Finding Home by starlight
Summary:

Max is looking for a home, one that won't be taken away. Billy and Colton no longer try to believe it's possible anymore. One smile and their lives are turned upsidedown by the men of Liberty Avenue. 

 

Lorie you are a true blessing in my life and my stories thank you for everything you do as my Beta and cheerleader


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Ted Schmidt, Tucker
Tags: Family, Friendship, Out of Character, Post-series
Genres: Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Emmett/Drew, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 53676 Read: 73710 Published: Oct 06, 2018 Updated: Oct 07, 2019
Story Notes:

1. Chapter 1 Sunshine smiles by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

Chapter 1 Sunshine smiles by starlight
Author's Notes:

I'm still working on the other stories that are getting closer to their ends, so I started this one because I wanted one about love and family, with a few drama moments but otherwise just sweet. My other stories will all be updated or finished along with this one, so don't kill me for adding more. LOL

Star

Max remembered being three and being afraid of the new place he was in. He was sitting with the mommy, not sure what he was supposed to call anyone. They hadn’t told him, and he waited all day for someone to tell him. The mommy seemed to be worried about having the room inspected by the woman who brought him. So Max waited patiently in the chair the mommy put him in while they were busy talking. He got excited and hopeful, thinking this time they would keep him. The mommy sat next to him, reading him a story while the real kids did their homework in front of him. He couldn’t tell what the story was, but he liked how the family reminded him of the ones he saw on tv at the last place he lived. They didn’t watch the tv or even tell him to do it and stop bothering them. As each day passed things seem to be close to perfect in his mind. He was allowed to call the parents Mommy and Daddy, and the kids seemed to like him too. ‘Perfect’ ended one day though. The only thing Max remembers about the day he left was the mommy saying they couldn’t afford four children to the lady taking him away. Max could count though, and he only counted three with him and the kids that he almost started thinking of as his brother and sister.


Max remembered turning four because the next family he was with gave him a birthday cake. He also remembered how the real kid wasn’t happy that Max lived in his house. The mommy didn’t believe it when Max told her he didn’t break anything, or that he didn’t steal the real kid’s favorite toy and break it. When Max was being taken from that house, what little hope he’d had started to dim. The next house was just two grown-ups, who didn’t seem to have time for Max. He remembered days where he didn’t even see them. Eventually, Max was packed up again when someone asked him where the people who lived in the house were. Max didn’t know so he shrugged and continued to play in the dirt until he looked up to see a policeman standing over him. Max smiled really big because policemen were the good guys. Only, he stopped smiling when they told him he was going to another place. Max didn’t understand why they said he was neglected. Of course, Max didn’t understand what that word meant.


He also remembered the day he turned five because that’s when he stopped seeing the homes he was sent to as families and just saw them as places he stayed for a time. He no longer tried very hard by the time he turned five and the number of families passed his ability to count. The families also didn’t try either, just dealing with him when they had to. What changed for him was that now he was old enough to go to school. Not that he knew what to expect when they drove him there, since he no longer trust what the TV showed him. He was taken to his classroom along with a bunch of other kids, but what interested him most was the room had a corner with toys and things he could draw on. He wanted to go there but knew he was supposed to do what the teacher told him to do. He waited patiently all day and began to think he might not get to play when he refused to count with everyone else. Max politely told his teacher he didn’t need to count any higher because numbers never did anything for him. That was the day he met the person who decided Max’s life would change. Max only knew he liked the smile that made him feel like he’d been touched by the sun.


The man walked into the classroom as Max told his teacher he didn’t want to count and laughed after Max explained why. It made Max feel funny because he didn’t think the man was laughing at him as other people did. He watched the man the whole time he talked to the teacher, and before the man left he walked by Max and smiled at him. Max felt special because the man didn’t smile at anyone else in the room.


One day the school took Max on a field trip, his teacher asked if he could go with them. Max heard her tell the other teacher that she thought it would be a treat for Max. Max wasn’t sure why anyone wanted to see fields but liked that he could sit by himself and watch out the window, and none of the other kids made fun of him. He liked riding the most because no one got mad at him if he just stared out the window. The bus stopped and he followed behind the group as they walked into the building. Max whispered to the teacher, asking why were they in a building when they were supposed to be looking at fields. She bit her lip before telling all the kids to be good while they looked around.


A lot of the kids got bored and the teacher and the other grown-up were chasing after them. Max sat down like the teacher asked, looking up at the picture in front of him. He didn’t know why but the picture made him smile, and he stopped hearing the noise around him. He didn’t even notice that he’d been left behind until his tummy reminded him it wanted something. He got up and walked all over, but didn’t see anyone he came here with. He passed a few grown-ups on the way, but they didn’t really say anything as he kept walking and looking. Since Max didn’t know them he did as he was told and didn’t talk to strangers. He got to the front, still not worried, until he noticed it was darker outside. Max turned back around and went where the teacher had left him, thinking maybe she was looking for him there. When he got back to the bench the man was sitting there looking at the picture. He looked at Max, confused. Since Max was used to people not remembering him, he just sat down, feeling safer but not knowing why.


“You’re Max aren’t you?” The man asked him.


“Yes, sir,” Max replied even though he was told not to talk to people he didn’t know. He felt like he did know the man, so in Max’s five-year-old mind, that should be okay.


“Are your parents here?” He asked, looking around.


“No… I’m on a field trip, but there weren’t any fields. Just lots of pictures.” Max told him.


“You came with the school?” He asked, looking worried.


Max nodded, as his stomach growled. The man got up and held out his hand for Max. “How about we get you something to eat while I call and find out why your still here.” He told Max.


Max was quiet when they walked across the street and the man told him he could have anything he wanted at the restaurant. Max tried to read the words on the menu but he wasn’t exactly good at it yet. He didn’t want to admit to the man he wasn’t good at reading though since the other kids made fun of him for being behind. Even though he didn’t think his teacher meant for them to make fun of him for it when she told Max. He didn’t want the man to look at him the same way, so he looked around when the waitresses came out.


“What do you want?” The man asked Max.


Max started to panic until he saw a plate go by with chicken and french fries. He didn’t need to read since he could see the food.


“Can I have that?” Max pointed to the plate for the man, then decide he wanted to call him something other than ‘the man’. “What do I call you?” Max asked.


“Justin or Mr Taylor, either way is fine with me. I need to make a call, can you sit here while I do that?” Justin told Max.


Justin had used the walk across the street to control his anger over Max being forgotten. He honestly didn’t think things like this really happened. Lindsay wasn’t irresponsible, so he didn’t want to yell at her if somehow this wasn’t her fault. He only came by to check that his painting was hung up correctly, otherwise, he wouldn’t have been there when Max came walking up. The kid was adorable, and Justin remembered him from the day he dropped by to see Lindsay when he got home from a showing in Paris. Brian hadn’t wanted to do anything but check on Kinnetik before they went home. He’d heard Lindsay asking why Max didn’t want to count and almost fell over at Max’s answer. It stayed in his mind when he picked up Brian, and even a jet-lagged Brian was laughing on the way home. They’d spent the last month having fun, knowing they were hoping to come home to some news they were waiting for. Brian jokingly said maybe they could get one like Max, about the child they were hoping to adopt soon.


Justin stopped laughing when Lindsay called him later and he asked about the kid. Only to find out from Lindsay that the kid was new and a  foster kid one of the families in the area took in. Justin looked over at Max who was staring out the window, as his phone rang. He couldn’t help getting angrier that even if the school had forgotten Max, the people taking care of him should have noticed. He wanted to call Brian, but knew he needed to help Max first. Justin was so lost in his anger he didn’t realize Lindsay had answered.


“Are you there?” Lindsay asked.


“Where the hell are you?” Justin snapped, not able to hide how he felt about Lindsay leaving the kid behind.


“I’m at home with Gus, Jenny, and Mel. Is there some reason you're angry at me?” She asks.


“Yes. Because I stopped by the museum to see my painting…”


“Did they do something wrong to it?” Lindsay interrupted, sounding more worried about his painting then she should be about the kid left at the museum.


“No, the painting is exactly where it should be. But your student Max was there also, which he shouldn’t have been when the rest of his classmates and you are all home where you should be.” Justin tells her.


“What are you talking about?” Lindsay asked, at least sounding worried.


“How do you miss that you left a kid when you're supposed to keep up with them?” Justin asked, looking down when Max was there pulling on his shirt.

 

“Ms Peterson wanted me to go with the others… She said it would be a treat for me to go since I don’t get to do that a lot.” Max tells Justin, not wanting him mad at Ms Peterson, who was nice to him.


“I thought he went to his bus since they showed up when school was letting out. Oh God, they really left him there?” Lindsay asked.


Justin didn’t want to make this worse but he had to ask Lindsay. “What about the people keeping him? Why haven’t they called?”


Once again Max tugged on his shirt. “They sometimes don’t remember, since there’s five of us living with them,” Max told him. He’d been left outside the house when his mind wandered and he didn’t hear it was time to go in for dinner.


“Can you get Mel, because I’m not sure if I can be calm when I have to take him back there,” Justin tells her, speaking softly so Max didn’t think he was angry at him. “Max, why don’t you go eat while everything is hot. I just need to know where we go from here.”


“Justin, are you kidding me?” Mel said, after Lindsay explained what was going on.


“I wish I was, but when I got to the museum he came walking up. He calmly sat down like he didn’t realize he should have been home by now.” Justin tells her.


“We’re going to need Carl, and it’s going to get messy. Not just for Max but for the other kids. In a lot of these cases, they farm them out to the emergency homes until they can figure out what to do with all the kids.” She tells him.


“Brian and I could take him,” Justin tells her.


“Justin, they don’t just hand out the kids to anyone,” Mel tells him.


“Brian and I are in the process of adoption. We didn’t plan to tell anyone until it happened. Does that make any difference?” He asked.


“Are you going through the state or privately?” She asked.


“We went through the state. The private agencies gave Brian the creeps when they started treating it like a financial plan instead of a child who we wanted.” He told her.


“Let me see if I can get a hold of someone. If they approved you for adoption then they’ll likely approve you as an emergency family. There’s no guarantee, but you need to call Brian and tell him before I do this.” She told him.


“Brian won’t care. Just make sure I don’t have to leave him with people who didn’t notice he wasn’t home.” Justin told her before hanging up. He texted Brian to meet him at the restaurant.


Brian and Emmett showed up as they were finished, smiling at Max and nodding to Justin. Brian didn’t want to leave Max alone while he talked to Justin, and knew Emmett could easily keep him distracted. Lindsay had called and told him what was going on, and when he saw Max covered in barbecue sauce, he didn’t question what Justin wanted, just texted his lawyer to make this happen for them.


The only question Brian asked Justin was, “Are you ready to be a father?”




End Notes:

Thank you for everyone even when I'm taking forever to update, who takes times to read my crazy ideas.

Chapter 2 by starlight

Max didn’t have to go into the place he’d been living, only Auntie Em did. He wasn’t sure why everyone seemed angry but they made sure he knew it wasn’t his fault. He didn’t ask, but somehow Mr Brian read his mind and assured him the only ones in trouble would be the people who should have noticed he was missing. It made it easier for Max to relax with Justin’s arms around him. He knew he'd miss this later, but for now he could enjoy the feeling.


While Brian could understand that accidents happened, he still had a hard time letting go of his anger that Max was just left wandering around the museum alone. He wasn’t surprised that he felt this strongly about Max, since he knew he loved Justin pretty much from the beginning. He felt the same about Max as soon as he walked into the restaurant and saw Justin and Max together. He and Justin had talked about starting a family and they didn’t care how it happened, just that it did. Seeing Max sealed the deal for Brian. Because just like Justin, Max was easy to fall in love with.


Lindsay tried to excuse the other teacher, which only had Brian asking how she would feel if it was Gus or Jenny. Lindsay stopped with the excuses and did her usual habit of trying to blame herself for asking the other teacher to take Max with her. Brian didn’t care about how it happened, just that it did. Lindsay didn’t understand why Brian was taking it the way he was until he told her that he and Justin wanted to give Max a home. Lindsay was taken off guard by it even though Mel had told her that’s what Justin wanted. It wasn’t that she was upset, she just felt left out that Brian and Justin hadn’t mentioned they wanted to start a family.


Max was tired after talking to Mr Carl and the woman that kept saying the people who he lived with had never had any problems in the past. Max was resigned to being moved again. He just wanted to be able to stay in Ms Peterson’s class because she let him draw and told him he was good. And maybe he'd get to see Justin and Mr Brian once in a while. Justin sat with Max in the car while Mr Brian stood outside scaring the bejesus out of anyone who came near him. That’s how Auntie Em described to Max the way people acted around Mr Brian.


Justin knew Brian was angry when the case worker told him they had to investigate before they could do anything. Normally Justin wouldn’t approve of Brian using his money to get what they wanted, but this was different. Max was going to be their child and neither of them were willing to let him stay with people who ‘sometimes forgot’ about the kids they were supposed to be taking care of. The other kids were standing in the yard as Carl and the caseworker talked to the woman and man who fostered the kids. They’d been told what happened and the foster parents did call when they realized Max wasn’t home. Brian didn’t seem to care about the excuses. Like Justin, he cared that Max could have been hurt if Justin hadn’t been there.


“Are the other kids going to have to stay here too?” Max whispered to Justin.


“I don’t know, hopefully not.” Justin told him as the foster dad kept saying they were sorry, but with so many kids they were bound to make mistakes.


“It’s not so bad. They don’t mean to forget.” Max told Justin, which didn’t win them any points with Justin.


“What do the other kids think of living here?” He asked Max.


Max shrugged, burrowing further into Justin’s arms, liking the way he smelled. “When they take me somewhere else will I still see you and Mr Brian?” Max asked, as Brian got in the car.


“Would you like to stay with us?” Brian asked him, and Max tried not to hope again.


“Are they going to let us?” Justin asked, hugging Max like he was afraid someone would take him if he let go.


“Gabriel called around and made sure we could take Max with us. We’ll have to deal with everything in the morning, but he said we should be able to do what we want. Plus, I told him my blond pitbull wanted this and he knows when you want something I make sure you get it.” Brian told Justin. Max thought it must be nice to have someone who would do everything you want.


“The question is, do you want what I do?” Justin asked Brian.


Brian didn’t answer his question, since Justin knew without asking the answer was yes. Instead he asked Max, because the little towhead with the bright blue eyes should be allowed to decide what he wanted to do.


“Max, what would you think about staying with Justin and me?” Brian asked.


“For how long?” Max asked. Because he didn’t want to worry about when he had to leave. He just wanted to know when it was going to happen for once in his life.


“For as long as you want. We thought maybe you would like us enough to consider staying with us permanently.” Justin told Max.


“We’d like the chance to be your fathers.” Brian told Max, getting straight to the point.


Max stayed quiet. He’d always wanted one father, the idea he could have two wasn’t something he even knew could happen. He knew there were families that were different from the ones he’d lived with, and Auntie Em explained to him that Mr Brian and Justin were married like the mommies and daddies he lived with before. Max wanted a family all his life, and they were offering him one.


“I’ll be really good.” Max promised.


“We’ll love you even if you’re bad.” Mr Brian told him, and it sounded like a promise to Max.


“Can we go home now?” Max asked, before yawning and closing his eyes, not seeing the smile Justin aimed at Brian.


Emmett got in the car without anything of Max’s, whispering to Brian that he would shop and bring it to them tonight. It wasn’t as bad as they all feared. The couple apologized over and over, saying they thought Max was at the house. The other kids were older and the parents had a family emergency, leaving the kids to watch each other until they got back. The foster parents both worked and depended on the older ones to watch the younger ones when they needed them. Today only happened, according to the father, because they didn’t want to have to watch over the kids at the hospital while waiting to find out if his mother was okay after having a stroke. While Emmett could sympathize that they had a lot on their plate, they chose to have five children in their home and that came with responsibilities.


“What about the other kids?” Brian whispered, not wanting to wake Max up.


“From what I could hear, for now they’re going to stay there. I think the foster parents know they can’t take care of five kids. Carl said it was likely some of them would be moved in hopes to make the situation more manageable for everyone. It was hard for me not to call Drew and tell him we should see if we could be one of the places the kids could stay.” Emmett told him.


“Are you and Drew talking about having kids?” Justin asked.


“Until tonight I really hadn’t let myself think about it, but I know Drew wants kids. Apparently you two didn’t tell anyone you were even thinking about it.” Emmett tells them, not wanting to discuss anything until he talked to Drew, and understanding why Brian and Justin hadn’t said anything to them.


“We wanted to wait until it happened. With Justin’s career being less chaotic and Kinnetik at a place where I no longer felt like I needed to be there all the time, we both decided to stop putting off what we both wanted.” Brian told him.


“I’m just surprised that you are both jumping to adopt Max. He’s adorable, and I get why anyone would want him, but normally you two don’t make snap decisions.” Emmett commented.


“It feels like he supposed to be ours. I don’t know why I believe that, but I do.” Justin told Emmett.


“For me it was like seeing Gus for the first time. I didn’t doubt it any more than Justin does. I saw Max in our lives. It was enough to know we want him.” Brian told Emmett.


They dropped Emmett off with Drew, who was waiting outside after Emmett called him and told him what happened. Emmett barely closed the door to the car before he called Teddy to tell him about what was going on. Drew listened as Emmett talked about the kids who weren’t as lucky as Max was going to be. There was no doubt in Drew’s mind that any child that Brian and Justin loved was going to be very loved. Listening to Emmett talk about the kids that were still at the house broke Drew’s heart. Emmett tried to tell Teddy the kids might end up being moved again since the foster parents took on too much at one time. Drew thought they should have thought more about it before agreeing to house five kids. He knew there were more kids than places for them to go. In a lot of cases the older ones were put in group homes when the foster homes were full, or they were shuffled back and forth with the parents who couldn’t take care of them in the first place. When he thought of having kids with Emmett, he thought they’d go the surrogate route. But maybe it wasn’t as important as he thought that his children have a little Emmett in them. Just having Emmett in their life would be enough for any child.


“Brian and Justin are serious about adopting the kid?” Drew asked when Emmett hung up.


“I wasn’t sure what to think when Brian dragged me with him. Hell, I didn’t know they were planning to adopt. I mean they’ve been together for over fourteen years and other than Gus and Jenny they didn’t seem to act like they wanted more kids.” Emmett tells him.


“They both likely decided it was better to do it without than having the family tell them why they shouldn’t.” Drew told him.


“I wouldn’t have discouraged them.” Emmett told him.


“I wasn’t talking about you.” Drew told him.


“You mean Michael, not the family?” Emmett asked.


“I was trying to be nice by not saying his name, but yes. Before you say anything to defend Michael... I know he supports Brian and Justin, but sometimes you can tell he gets jealous of the things Brian is willing to do for Justin. This last trip they took ended up with all of you trying to explain to Michael why Brian should be allowed to take Justin for a month without him being allowed to join them.” Drew tells him.


“He doesn’t get why they wanted to spend a month in Paris alone.” Emmett answered, barely managing not to find an excuse for why Michael was upset when everyone agreed  Justin and Brian had the right to get away from… he meant without, Michael.


“If it was up to Michael, Brian and Justin would have to report to him and get his approval to take a shit.” Drew said, knowing he was being harsh. Michael wasn’t that bad as long as Drew didn’t have to spend more than an hour around him.


Ben should be sainted for dealing with Mr ‘I know what everyone should do’, as far as Drew was concerned. He knew they’d all be in for it when Michael found out he was the last to know. Drew planned to not be around when that happened. Deb’s Mikey slap would have nothing on what Drew would want to do.


He followed Emmett with a cart, knowing Brian wouldn’t even blink at the bill that came with this trip. When Brian said he wanted everything, Emmett knew that meant ‘everything’. Drew smiled when Emmett didn’t even bother to look at prices. When they were finally finished they loaded everything in the Hummer and headed out to Brian and Justin’s house.


When they pulled in they saw the girls’ car in the driveway. Emmett wasn’t sure what they were going to walk into but knew he’d make sure Brian and Justin knew he supported them. Emmett didn’t knock, just walked in with the bags he could carry. He was relieved when he saw them all sitting in the kitchen and no one looked angry, so at least he wouldn’t have to separate them. He'd only worried for a second, but it came with this family when Brian or Justin did something they didn’t know about.


“Where are Gus and Jenny?” Drew asked.


“Gus wanted to spend the night with Brian and Justin after he heard about Max. He said he wanted to get to know his brother.” Mel said, smiling at how great Gus was. “And you know Jenny, if Gus gets to be with the dads she wants to be here to.”


“We thought it would be good for the kids to get to know each other before we have to deal with…” Lindsay said, not finishing what they all knew.


“Michael will deal with it.” Justin told everyone.


“Only after lecturing you about how you should have told him first.” Drew told Justin.


“Which never stopped us from doing what we wanted. If he has a problem with it, I really don’t care.” Brian told them.


“He either gets that he treats all our children the same or he won’t be welcome.” Justin explained.


“I was shocked that you didn’t tell us, but I know both of you will give Max the same things you do Gus and Jenny.” Lindsay told Brian and Justin. Wanting to make sure she didn’t get lumped in with Michael.


“I’d like to give Max time to get used to us, before we spring more people on him.” Justin told everyone.


“I told Teddy, but you know he won’t say anything to anyone other than Blake.” Emmett told Justin.


“Make sure he keeps it just to Blake. I’ll deal with Michael if he hasn’t calmed down by the time he and Ben return from Ben’s book tour. After I tell him, we don’t have time for the drama when we’re going to be busy trying to get everything done to adopt Max.” Brian told Emmett, letting him know what to expect.


“Brian, even though they agree to let you foster Max, it will still take up to a year before they will let you adopt him. You could wait for a year before telling Michael.” Mel joked.


“We have at least five months before he gets back to the states, so his drama won’t be an issue right away for anyone but Ben.” Justin joked, sort of wishing they could save Ben from it too.


Max woke up to meet Gus and Jenny. He didn’t say a whole lot, but neither did Gus. Jenny did enough talking that they really just had to nod and agree. That’s what Gus told Max to do, or Jenny would never shut up. Gus laughed when he told Max that. Gus also told him they were going to be family so he needed to know the how to deal with a bratty sister. Max was confused about why Gus didn’t live there, when he told Max they shared the same fathers. It really made Max happy to hear that Gus wasn’t angry about sharing his fathers. Jenny explained in detail about alternative families, half of which Max didn’t understand. Gus told him it meant they were brothers forever. That Max did understand.


“I’ve never stayed anywhere forever.” Max told Gus.


“If my dads said you would be here forever, then that’s what will happen.” Gus told him.


“Mommy said so too. And then she cried, saying she was happy for you.” Jenny told him.


“Mom always cries.” Gus said, rolling his eyes.


“You have two mommies and daddies?” Max asked both of them.


“Yes. And what seems like hundreds of Uncles, and Grandma Deb, and Nana Jen.” Jenny told him, going off on a whole list of people Max would end up with in his life.


As the list got longer, Max ended up falling asleep next to Gus, who told him not to worry about anything because his new family already loved him because their dads did. Max’s dreams were filled with hope. Hope he thought he no longer had.


Chapter 3 by starlight
Author's Notes:

In a few more chapters Billy and Colton will be making there apperence. Along with Blake and Ted. Michael will appear but from afar for most of the story.

Brian understood that Justin wanted to relish in the fact that they were on their way to having the family they'd wanted together. It didn’t mean Justin didn’t see Gus and Jenny as theirs, he did. When they talked about more children, it was more about wanting to have a child they didn’t have to share with others. They both hated only seeing Gus when it was their turn but dealt with it. Although Lindsay and Mel let them have Gus anytime, even if it wasn't the days they agreed to.

 

When the girls moved to Canada for a year and Justin went to New York, it left Brian with a lot of time to think about what he really wanted eventually with Justin. He knew everyone thought he and Justin would eventually break up again. They didn’t understand that both of them were committed to figuring out how to make it work between them. It meant a lot of travel, and as both of them became busy with their careers. They still made sure a day didn’t go by without contact with each other. 

 

Justin moved back when he knew he could work from Pittsburgh. Brian welcomed him home by telling him to send everything to their house. It wasn’t the original one Brian bought, but one Justin and Brian decided on together. The home they would want to raise a child or more they both told each other they wanted in. Brian waited for Lindsay to voice her opinion on Justin’s career and was surprised when she told him Justin knew what he was doing and never needed her to tell him. 

 

Lindsay and Mel ran into the problems they didn’t anticipate when they moved without making sure it was what they wanted to believe it would be for them. Mel found out a degree in the US wasn’t what the firms in Canada wanted. Especially since she dealt in family law and not corporate. There weren’t many opportunities for Lindsay either since she wasn’t given a work visa because she didn’t have the specialized skills they required to give her one. Brian didn’t say anything when they told him they were moving back. He was just happy to not have to schedule trips to see Gus. 

 

Justin was already in the kitchen, cooking like Deb when Brian came down. Brian walked up behind Justin, kissing his neck as he handed him his coffee. At the table, Max sat watching them, more curious than anything else.

 

“We need to tell your mother ” Brian told Justin.

 

“I know. I just wanted it to be us and the kids this morning. I could call her and ask her to meet us for dinner.” Justin told him.

 

“Make sure she knows you’re the one who made her wait.” Brian joked.

 

“Nana is going to kill you.” Gus sang as he snuck food for him and Max.

 

“She is?” Max said, worried.

 

“Nana isn’t killing anyone. Gus is joking.” Jenny assured Max. “Uncle Brian, can I talk to you?” Jenny asked, walking back out of the room with the toast Justin handed her.

 

Brian followed Jenny as Justin put food out for the boys. Max wanted to ask why Mr Brian left, then got distracted because he had an important question that he wanted to ask.

 

“Gus said it would be okay if I called you and Mr Brian something else,” Max told Justin.

 

“I told him he could call you guys dad and pa if he wanted,” Gus told Justin.

 

“What you call us is up to you to decide. Either way, we’re just happy that you’ll be ours.” Justin told Max.

 

Max thought about it, and since he felt like he could believe in the promise they offered him he was willing to give one more try at having a perfect life again. “I like Pa and Dad.” He told his new Pa.

 

“We like having a Max in our lives, right Gussy?” Justin said, getting up and fussing to hide the tears he felt when Max wanted to call them his parents. Brian had barely managed to keep from wincing at the Mr added before his name last night, much to Justin’s amusement. 

 

Brian sat down when Jenny started to pace back and forth. He was hoping he wouldn’t have to wait all day for Jenny to tell him why she wanted to talk to him. He had a feeling she wanted to talk about her dad.

 

“Jenny, just tell me,” Brian said when she didn’t start talking a mile a minute like usual.

 

“I’m supposed to go see my dads next week.” She told him, making Brian understand what she wasn’t saying.

 

“Your dad will know before you get there. Max isn’t a secret we have to hide.” Brian told her.

 

“Gus told me I was born to fret like my dad,” Jenny complained, walking off. She was relieved not to have to keep a secret. Something she really wasn’t very good at anyway.

 

Brian went over to where Justin was standing at the sink. Justin only stared out the window when he was thinking hard or dealing with his emotions and didn’t want anyone to see them.

 

“Your mother will be over the moon to have more grandchildren ” Brian told him.

 

“I know,” Justin told him, still looking out the window.

 

“Then what’s going on in that blond head of yours?” Brian asked.

 

“Max wants to call us Pa and Dad,” Justin whispered.

 

“Anything but Mr Brian works for me.” Brian joked, causing Justin to turn around and bury his head in Brian’s chest as he laughed. 

 

Justin and Brian drove the kids to school and went to the office to meet with the caseworker, who, while not happy with being ordered to make the transition to Brian and Justin as Max’s foster parents, was also happy to know the couple was serious about Max’s future in their lives. She made sure the school had what they needed to make the changes in Max’s situation. It helped that the school was willing to do anything to correct the mistake one of their teachers made yesterday. And it relieved the caseworker’s mind that Max looked happy when he walked in with Brian and Justin Kinney-Taylor. 

 

Justin held onto Brian as Max walked into Lindsay’s class. Just like before when Gus went to school. Lindsay smiled, remembering how hard it was for all of them when it was Gus. And it didn’t get any easier when it was Jenny. She had the easy part because Max was staying with her. Brian reminded them they needed to go and hear Gabriel’s recommendation on how to proceed so they didn’t have to wait a year to adopt their son. When Justin still didn’t move Brian asked Lindsay if they could come back and have lunch with Max. Justin finally left with Brian and groaned when he reminded him to call his mommy.

 

Jen was heading to work when Justin called telling her he wanted to meet her for dinner. She asked why they couldn’t meet now since she hated waiting when her children wanted to talk to her.

 

“Brian and I have an appointment with a lawyer this morning,” Justin told her, not saying it was with Gabriel since his mom knew he was the lawyer they hired to help with the adoption.

 

“Is something wrong?” Jen asked, ready to meet them immediately if Justin told her yes.

 

“Everything is great, Mom. Brian and I are still happy and not breaking up, my career is still the same as it was yesterday, and as far as I know, Kinnetik is still making Brian richer than yesterday.” Justin recited, trying to cover everything in hopes to not end up telling her about Max.

 

“Then why are you meeting with a lawyer?” Jen quizzed, wanting to know now not hours from now.

 

“Just tell her,” Brian said through the speaker. 

 

“Yes, please. Otherwise, I’ll be at work worried until I want to ring your neck for not putting me out of my misery.” Jen told Justin.

 

“Remember when Brian and I told you we were waiting for news?” Justin asked.

 

“Did they call?” Jen asked, excited.

 

“No. But hopefully, since we were already on the list, it will make it easier to adopt your grandson, Max.” Brian told her, when Justin sat there, not sure of how to tell her.

 

“You both have a lot of explaining to do, and dinner is too far away. I’m assuming you're going to meet with Gabriel?” Jen asked.

 

“Mom…” Justin barely got out before Jen ran over his protests.

 

“This is my grandson. You really think anything matters to me other than meeting him and knowing what hoops it takes for you two to make it official?” Jen asks them.

 

“We’ll tell them to let you in when you get there,” Brian said, laughing as he hung up.

 

“How does she do that still? I mean, I’m thirty-one and I feel like I’m Max’s age when she uses the mom voice on me.” Justin complained.

 

“I don’t think it matters how old we are, your mother and Deb still make us all feel like kids,” Brian told him, getting out of the car.

 

Gabriel was waiting when Justin and Brian walked in. He’d been making calls so he’d have the answers for Brian and Justin by the time they arrived. While he was sure they’d get what they wanted, he wanted confirmation before talking to them. He knew his answers were going to make Justin and Brian happy since they’d been working on this since last year. The only reason they hadn’t gotten a call sooner was because of the age they told him they wanted. They followed him into the office after telling Gabriel’s clerk to let Justin’s mother in when she arrived.

 

“I don’t want to wait a year,” Justin told Brian and amused Gabriel when Brian looked to Gabriel to give Justin what he wanted.

 

“You won’t have to since you were already approved once a child was available. It will still take two months before he’s officially yours, but it’s just about paperwork. It helps that Max has been in the system for as long as he has too, and there aren’t any parents to deal with opposing the adoption.” Gabriel told them.

 

“What happened to his parents?” Brian asked.

 

“Max’s father is listed as unknown and the mother died not having anyone to take Max. He became a ward of the state and for some reason didn’t get adopted even though he would have fit the criteria most parents want.” Gabriel told them.

 

The door opened then and Jen came in. She kissed Justin then Brian before shaking hands with Gabriel. 

 

“I assume everything is going to work out for Brian and Justin,” Jen told Gabriel, not asked.

 

“Yes, Mom. In fact, since we were already approved, Gabriel told us we didn’t have to wait a year as Mel told us last night.” Justin told her.

 

“Mel also didn’t know we were just waiting and we’d been waiting for almost a year.” Brian reminded Justin.

 

“Did anyone but me know?” Jen asked.

 

“I didn’t even tell Daphne,” Justin told her, making Jen tear up.

 

“What is it with you two? Lately your crying like Lindsay. Justin acted like our son calling him Pa meant leaking. Now you, because we wanted our mother to know before everyone else.” Brian said, hoping to stop the tears regardless of the reason for them.

 

“They were also approved to keep Max until the paperwork is done. There will be a couple of home visits but it’s standard. Go celebrate, and congratulations to all of you.” Gabriel told them.

 

“Where is he?” Jen asked when they walked out.

 

“At school, like all five-year-olds,” Justin told her, being a smart ass.

 

“Can we please just go see him? I won’t be able to work until I meet him.” Jen told them.

 

“I’m sure Lindsay isn’t going to care, and we do need to make sure Mom’s on the list to pick Max up if we can’t,” Brian told Justin.

 

“We’re still going to have dinner, and you better be ready for Molly’s reaction.” Jen reminded them.

 

“She’s barely awake by dinner, after running after the twins all day,” Justin told her, getting in the car before Jen could retort.


Chapter 4 by starlight

Max sat in his class, for once not letting the other kids bother him. He had a family now and nothing anyone could say would bother him today. It was the first time since starting school that Max really didn’t want to be there, he wanted to be in his home with his Dad and Pa. The only thing that scared Max right now was that maybe the other people might not like him. Even though Gus, who knew everything, told him that everyone would love him. He wasn’t sure exactly what a Nana was, he’d heard the word Grandma and hoped maybe it had something to do with that, but he’d been too tired last night to ask Gus. He heard Dad tell Pa they’d come for lunch and continued to look at the clock waiting for it to be time. He was going to have his parents with him like some of the other kids did for lunch. That was a lot of excitement for Max.

 

Ms. Peterson got a note and then told everyone that instead of going to the lunchroom today, they’d be eating in the classroom, so everyone had to clean up. Max tried not to cry, but he was supposed to have lunch with Dad and Pa, not stay in the classroom.

 

Lindsay noticed everyone but Max cleaning. Brian sent a note saying he would bring lunch for all the kids if they could avoid the cafeteria. She thought it was a great idea since the other kids hadn’t warmed up to Max yet. It was the one thing that happened and all the talking in the world didn’t work with kids. Max was different from them, and even though they didn’t understand that it shouldn’t make a difference, it still did. She’d planned to talk to Max’s foster family about helping him get caught up, but with the change in his circumstances, she knew the talk wouldn’t fall on deaf ears since Justin and Brian were now involved. 

 

“Max, do you need me to help you clean up?” Lindsay asked.

 

Max shook his head no, as tears started to drip out of his eyes.

 

“Don’t you want Dad and Pa to see how good you are at school?” Lindsay tried a different tactic.

 

Max nodded, thinking she was mean when he wouldn’t see them because they were staying here.

 

“Then we need to get all your stuff put away because they should be here with lunch for everyone in a few minutes.” She told him, wiping the tears.

 

“They're still coming, even though we aren’t eating where we always eat?” Max asked her.

 

“Oh Sweetie, we aren’t eating in the cafeteria because your Dad is a bit picky. Plus, I think the kids would rather eat the pizza your dads are bringing instead today.” Lindsay said, loud enough for the one snickering about Max crying to hear. “Right everyone? We’d be happy to let Max’s parents feed us pizza?” Lindsay asked, looking at the other kids who all nodded eagerly.

 

“I just want to see my dads,” Max whispered.

 

“They’re bringing your Nana too,” Lindsay told him.

 

Lindsay expected Max to get excited about meeting Jen but instead, he looked serious and when he asked her his question she didn’t laugh, instead she wanted to cry that he had to ask, not understanding.

 

“What’s a Nana?” He whispered.

 

Before Lindsay could answer, Matthew, who’d been inching toward them did. “My grandmother likes to be called that instead,” Matthew told Max.

 

“I have lots of family now, my brother told me they would all love me.” Max told him.

 

“I only have a bratty baby sister,” Matthew complained, making Lindsay smile.

 

“Gus says we have to deal with a bratty sister, but I think Jenny is older than me,” Max told him.

 

Brian, Justin, and Jen walked in to hear all the kids discussing the merits of siblings. The smell of pizza got them all to look up and Max got up and ran, not caring about the pizza all that much, just that his Dad and Pa were here. Dad took him to the Nana, and even though she smiled like Pa, he was still shy. 

 

“I’m so happy to meet you,” Jen told him, not able to resist the eyes peeking at her from Brian’s chest.

 

“Dad, is she your mommy?” He asked.

 

“I am because your Dad married my son,” Jen told him.

 

“You aren’t going to kill Pa because he didn’t tell you last night, right?” Max asked, just to be sure.

 

“I love your Pa even though he’s naughty and didn’t tell me about you first.” She told Max.

 

“Dad said he loves me even if I’m bad,” Max informed her.

 

“I love you because you’re my son, just like Pa does,” Brian told him, waiting to make sure Max heard it and believed him that they were going to be his parents.

 

“As much as being a son is important, being my grandson is important too. Do you want to know why?” Jen asked Max, who nodded. “Because I get to spoil you with kisses and hugs and sweeten you up to send you home to your dads.”

 

Max reached over to his Nana and let her start with the kisses and hugs. She pulled a giant cookie out of her purse. It was bigger than Max’s hand. He looked over at the plate with smaller cookies then back to his. He didn’t know why but he felt like his Nana gave him the biggest cookie because she loved him bigger than all the kids in the room.

 

The kids were all sitting down eating. Jen stayed with them, holding Max on her lap, not wanting to let him go until she had to. Lindsay asked to speak to Brian and Justin outside about Max.

 

“Max is behind the rest of the children, but I think it’s only because the families before never worried about teaching him how to read or write. He is picking up fast but because he’s starting from scratch here, it sometimes causes the other kids to pick on him. Which causes Max to distance himself from them.” Lindsay told them.

 

“We can hire someone to help him catch up, but it doesn’t change the other kids,” Justin told her.

 

“I think today helped. One of the other students, Matthew, who’s never been part of the kids picking on Max, but hadn’t really talked to him, did today. They both ended up getting the other kids talking too, about sisters and brothers. It might not solve everything, but I think having a friend is something Max needs just as much.” Lindsay told them.

 

“We need to see if we can find someone to work with Max,” Justin told Brian.

 

“I could do it, but I don’t want him to think it makes him different since I couldn’t do it for all the other kids,” Lindsay told them.

 

“Ben would be great if he was here,” Justin told Brian because Ben loved working with Gus and Jenny when Justin or Lindsay couldn’t.

 

“What about Hunter? I could see if he has time.” Lindsay suggested.

 

“Guess you better tell Mikey soon,” Justin smirked.

 

“I’ll call Hunter and see if he can do it,” Brian told Lindsay.

 

They joined Max, who was too busy asking Nana questions about his Aunt Molly since he really liked Auntie Em. Jen smiled when she explained Molly was a girl, not like Auntie Em. Justin and Brian hugged Max, telling him they’d be waiting for him to take him home later, and not to get on a bus. 

 

“What time?” Max asked Pa.

 

“We’ll be here at three, just like all the other parents,” Justin told him.

 

Max waited while Justin wondered why he was staring at him so hard. Justin couldn’t help it, the little wrinkle in Max’s forehead and his serious look made him smile, thinking he be privileged to have a serious Max in his life. Max hugged Pa’s legs before running back to the other kids. His Pa smiled his sun smile at Max again and no one else.

 

Emmett cleaned the kitchen then the den and was almost to Drew’s man cave before Drew had had enough. Drew had given Emmett time to get his thoughts in order and now it was time to make Em tell him what was bothering him.

 

“You told me, my cave, my problem, remember?” Drew asked him.

 

“I’m just at loose ends today. Cleaning makes me happy.” Emmett lied.

 

“No, you clean when you don’t want to talk, and I appreciate the shiny toilet, the sparkling counters and that you rearranged my underwear by color and style. But wouldn’t it be easier to just talk to me?” Drew asks him.

 

“It was just, last night, remembering how it felt not knowing where to go or what would happen to you. I hate that it still hurts, and even though Max is going to get a great life…” Emmett shrugged sitting on Drew’s lap.

 

“It’s more than that.” Drew told him.

 

“Those kids and Max don’t see anything wrong with the people who kept them. I mean, they weren’t bad people, but they also weren’t the best people to raise those kids. I could be completely wrong because I’m judging them for something that could have been an anomaly for them. Parents all over the world do the same thing, leaving the older kids to watch the younger ones.” Emmett told him.

 

“I’m sure that’s true, but the situation is different, these kids have no connection to each other, other than the house they live in. Growing up, even when my brother and I tried to beat the hell out of each other if one of us needed the other we were taught to be there for each other.” Drew told him.

 

“It doesn’t always work. I mean, when I was younger all my sibling did watch out for me. But now they pretend I never existed.” Emmett commented, sadly.

 

“You want to tell me what else is on your mind about those kids?” Drew asked.

 

“I… Well... You want kids, right?” Emmett asked.

 

“I do. It’s something I always wanted, even before I came out of the closet. It was something staying in the closet might have made easier for me.” Drew answered.

 

“When we talked about it once you mentioned surrogacy,” Emmett reminded him. 

 

“It’s one of the options available to us, that at the time we talked about it, was easier if we wanted a baby. Adoption lists for babies take years, and even then they still put straight families ahead of non-traditional families.” Drew told him.

 

“I called Carl, and two of the kids are being put in a group home, to keep from separating them,” Emmett commented.

 

“Why those two and not the other three?” Drew asked.

 

“The other three are actually related to the foster parents. They took them in when their parents got into trouble. Billy and Colton were the children they decided they couldn’t keep.” Emmett told him. Drew noticed Emmett even got their names.

 

“What do you want to do?” Drew asked.

 

“I’d like to see if we could do it, maybe practice so we won’t screw up the baby you want,” Emmett told him.

 

“How about we do it in hopes to give Billy and Colton a home?” Drew answered him.

 

“Do you know how much I love you?” Emmett asked.

 

“Enough to call Brian and see if his shark can help us?” Drew teased, dumping Emmett on the sofa before climbing over him.


Chapter 5 by starlight

Billy tried to fake that moving again was going to be an adventure for Colton. He was just happy they weren’t going to move them to different places. He knew people didn’t understand why he and Colton wanted to stay together. They might not be real brothers, which was obvious since Colton was covered in freckles and red hair and Billy’s mother and father were of Asian descent, which one no one ever told Billy. He wanted to hate Max for making them move again, but the kid didn’t cause this on purpose. 

 

Billy was surprised when the cop listened to him when he told him that he and Colton needed to stay together. This home wasn't bad. Billy knew bad. They had three meals a day, clean rooms, and the mom made sure the clothes they had stayed clean, and bought what she could when she couldn’t repair the older ones anymore. They didn’t hit them, but they were always tired and it fell to the kids to help each other. 

 

Colton was jealous when he saw the expensive car Max sat in while they were stuck waiting for their foster parents to explain everything. Billy really felt bad when they hadn’t said anything about Max not being home. But he’d been helping Colton with his homework, and Max sometimes went straight to play in the backyard instead coming in when he got home.

 

“I hate this,” Colton whispered, as they were driven to the group home.

 

“At least the cop didn’t lie,” Billy told him, trying to get Colton to see it as a good thing.

 

“Maybe we should run away, then our lives would be up to us,” Colton said, not understanding that they had nothing and no way to take care of themselves.

 

At twelve, Billy knew better than to run away. He found out being hungry and cold wasn’t something he enjoyed. He had tried it before meeting Colton. Billy stopped trying three years ago when Colton came in his life because he didn’t want the younger boy to do it. Colton was eight now and never made a move unless Billy told him they should. While Colton liked to pretend he and Billy would have adventures on their own, he knew they wouldn’t run away. That would break the rules and then they would be separated. It’s why Colton no longer dreamed of being adopted, because most families weren’t willing to take him and Billy. 

 

The people running the group home welcomed them in, walked them into the room, and explained the rules before leaving them to unpack. Colton looked around, happy there were only two beds, which meant he and Billy wouldn’t have to deal with other kids. 

 

“What do you think happened to Max?” Colton asked, even if he was a little jealous when he saw the guy smiling down at Max in the car. Like the kid was precious to him.

 

“Don’t know, and it’s not like anyone would tell us,” Billy told him.

 

“I kind of liked Max,” Colton told him.

 

“You like everyone.” Billy joked, putting up everything for him and Colton.

 

Gabriel wondered about the men in Brian’s circle of friends. Apparently they had all picked up Brian’s habit of demanding Gabriel make what they want a reality. Drew and Emmett didn’t want to wait for an appointment and got Brian to call in a favor to get Gabriel to take them on. So they were sitting in his office, first thing on a Saturday morning after giving Gabriel a few days to look into the children they asked about. He was sure they wanted him to handle things the way he had for young Max, but they were just beginning. He was getting them approved for foster care, which meant dealing with the state mandates on approval. He’d spoken to a few people he knew, and like Brian and Justin did, they’d have to go through it all too. Even though they were at the beginning he still started the paperwork in case Billy and Colton decided that Emmett and Drew were who they wanted to call their dads. 

 

“It will take longer because you two are just starting the process. I do have one question, why come to me and not Melanie Marcus?” Gabriel asked, since he knew Mel was a part of this circle of friends.

 

“We value our privacy the same way Justin and Brian do. We don’t want it discussed to death the way the family tends to do.” Drew told him.

 

“Brian and Justin will know.” He reminded them.

 

“Unless we tell them, no one else will,” Drew said with confidence.

 

“Teddy will, and so will Blake because there’s no way I would be able not to tell,” Emmett told Drew.

 

“We just feel better our lawyer is just that, our lawyer.” Drew told Gabriel.

 

“How long will this take?” Emmett asked, wanting it to magically happen.

 

“Six months at least, for you to get approved, and that’s because I’ll cut through a lot of the red tape. I can’t change that you both have to be thoroughly vetted, which means meeting with a counselor and going through courses to prepare you for what being a foster parent will be like, and the kinds of problems you could face with children dealing with being displaced most of their lives. We can at least make it so you can spend time with Billy and Colton. Which is wise because the children deserve to know you both and decide if it’s what they want. I know it’s not the answer you want, but it’s what you have to do if this is the direction you both truly want to go.” Gabriel told Emmett when he looked disappointed that they just couldn’t walk in and save the day.

 

“We’ll have the rest of their lives to show them everything you want them to have,” Drew told Emmett.

 

“Can we go see them today?” Emmett asked.

 

“I got the feeling you would ask that, and yes, I got it approved so that you and Drew can spend the day with the boys. I have the information on them if you want to hear it.” Gabriel told them.

 

“No. I want them to feel comfortable telling us. If they have any questions those files could answer, we’ll save it to give them the answers.” Emmett tells him.

 

“I do want to know about the parents.” Drew told Gabriel.

 

“Colton’s father is like Max’s; unknown. But likely that’s because the mother didn’t get names in her profession. She didn’t fight giving him up and disappeared from the area to avoid any charges related to the conditions they found Colton in. Billy was left in a mall when he was three and no one claimed him. There’s nothing to go with since his birth wasn’t registered in the US, and he could only tell the police his name was Billy. According to the information I have he doesn’t remember his parents. Which isn’t surprising because of his age at the time.” Gabriel told them.

 

“They were never even considered for adoption?” Emmett asked.

 

“Colton had health concerns due to the way he was living and most families want healthy children. Billy had a hard time connecting with people until Colton. They seem to look out for each other.” Gabriel told them.

 

Billy and Colton both were confused that only the two of them were being taken out today. Normally trips were planned for all the kids, not just two. They hadn’t bothered to get to know any of the other kids since they’d only been here for a week. So they didn’t ask if this was normal. Billy and Colton’s only plan for the weekend was to hang out in their room all day since there wasn’t a lot to do unless they wanted to hang out in the common room with the other kids. They were told when they went to eat breakfast that they were being picked up for an outing.

 

They were waiting in the front for the people who were taking them out today when one of Billy’s heroes, which he didn’t have many of, came walking up the sidewalk. Colton recognized the man who was at the foster house with Max, but like Billy, he knew who Drew Boyd was. Both of them were a little upset they weren’t going to be here to find out why Drew Boyd was here. This outing couldn’t have been planned at a worse time for the boys, as far as they were concerned. It didn’t even cross their minds that Drew and Emmett were there to meet them. They were both shocked when Drew Boyd spoke to them, and didn’t pass right on by.

 

“Which one is Billy?” Drew Body asked them.

 

Billy raised his hand, feeling like a dork for not being able to say anything.

 

“You’re Colton?” Drew asked.

 

Colton nodded, starstruck, so he looked at the tall smiling guy next to Drew. “I saw you at the other place.” He told Emmett.

 

“I’ll go in and take care of everything. You boys be nice to Emmett for me, okay?” Drew asked them, as Emmett planted himself next to the boys, not wanting to do anything but get to know them.

 

“Maybe we can tell the people we’ll go some other day.” Colton whispered to Billy.

 

“What people?” Emmett asked.

 

“Not sure. We were told we had to go somewhere today.” Billy told him, feeling better that he could talk again.

 

“You don’t want to go?” Emmett asked them.

 

“We’d rather see Drew Boyd, he’s like totally bada… on the field.” Billy told him, managing not to cuss.

 

“I can’t watch anymore. Everytime he gets tackled my friends laugh at me because I close my eyes.” Emmett laughed.

 

“Why is he here?” Colton asked.

 

“We, meaning Drew and I, wanted to get to know you and Billy. Hopefully, you won’t mind me tagging along with your hero.” Emmett told them.

 

“Are you serious!?” Billy shouted at the idea he would get to spend time with Drew freaking Boyd.

 

“Emmett told me about you two. And since Emmett wants it, I do too.” Drew told them, coming back out of the house.

 

“Where are we going?” Colton asked, getting up.

 

“A couple of our friends are having a party today. We thought you guys might like to swim and get to know us. This way if we bore you, you’ll have other kids to play with.” Emmett told them.

 

Billy winced, since he knew he and Colton would end up sitting alone while the other kids ignored them, but it was better than sitting in their room today, so he followed with Colton to the huge car. 

 

“We don’t have swimsuits.” Colton told them.

 

“First stop will be the store then.” Emmett told them.

 

“That’s why you didn’t tell them. You wanted to shop first.” Drew laughed at Emmett’s excitement.

 

Billy and Colton wondered if Emmett was nuts when he told them to pick anything they liked. Neither of them understood, because their clothes were bought for them. No one ever cared or asked what they liked. Billy picked the first swimsuit he saw, turning red when it was the wrong size.

 

“Here, if you like the suit, this one should fit you.” Emmett told him, after calculating the boys’ sizes.

 

“Do you boys want to get a snack since lunch is going to be a while?” Drew asked, since he never really like to shop.

 

Drew didn’t laugh when the boys just nodded, he was used to it with fans. Hopefully, they’d get over it soon. He went to get drinks and soft pretzels, not wanting to ruin the boys' appetites today. Justin had let Max decide on the food today, and from what Emmett was able to tell him, the boys should be covered with the four different choices Max decided on. Emmett and the boys met up with Drew to get back in the car to go to Brian and Justin’s house.

 

Emmett wondered how Brian’s call to Michael went, since he promised Jenny he’d tell Michael before she landed. He figured while the kids played they’d have time to talk about it. He looked back at Billy and Colton, who were whispering and eating and looked happy to be with them. Drew took his hand, squeezing it when Emmett faced forward, wiping his eyes. 


Chapter 6 by starlight

“What do you mean you and Justin are thinking about adopting a child? Do you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to adopt a child? No, you don’t. But I do. I wouldn’t change what Ben and I had to do for Hunter, but you two would have to cancel everything you seem to enjoy doing, which neither of you have done yet. It would require you and Justin’s life to change from the way it’s been since the beginning. You and Justin need to think about what it will do to your lives. Neither of you has really had to give up your freedom the way I have. But that’s what children do to your life. Was this Justin’s idea? Because you need to stop doing things just because he might want something. You thought he’d want that big ass house and look how that turned out. You both backed out of your wedding and sold it. You can’t do that with a kid. Look, wait until Ben and I get home, we’ll talk then. Maybe buy Justin a dog… Brian… Brian… are you there…?” Michael looked at Ben, confused as he hung up.


“He hung up on me,” Michael told Ben.


Ben had no doubt he looked shocked when he heard the last part of that statement, he didn’t even try to mask it. He already knew they weren’t ‘thinking about it’ they were just waiting for the final paperwork to come through, which Ben congratulated them on before telling Justin he'd deal with Michael.


Justin called Ben yesterday and explained what Brian planned to tell Michael today. Ben thanked Justin for the warning and asked who else knew about the cutie in the picture Justin sent to him. Ben wasn’t shocked that they left them for last, or even hurt by it. He felt the same way Brian and Justin did about their privacy because he has so little since marrying Michael.


He knew their friends still wondered how he didn’t go crazy married to Michael, and there were a lot of times he wondered the same thing himself. Maybe it was that things got easier when Brian and Michael’s lives started changing after the girls moved and Justin was gone. The group dynamics changed. They no longer met every day. And as time went on they became involved more with their partners than the original four. Brian looked to Justin instead of Michael; Ted and Blake’s careers became more important; Emmett’s business needed his attention, and then Drew reappeared to win his Emmett back. Meanwhile, Ben became published and Michael didn’t resist leaving Pittsburgh once Hunter started college. Ben knew that at first Michael liked the trips because he’d been left in Pittsburgh while his friends were traveling and started to feel like they had nothing to talk about anymore. More recently Michael was actually interested in the places they were seeing and Ben felt like Michael understood that spending time with each other is important to a couple. The only glitch was when he found out Brian and Justin were treating Justin’s show in Paris as a month-long vacation, not just a business trip.


Michael started making plans for Brian and Justin to fit into Ben’s schedule. Not once realizing he wasn’t invited by Brian or Justin, or even asked to visit them. It caused a huge fight between Michael and Ben when Michael started calling everyone to complain about being told by Brian not to show up because this was for Justin and him alone. The fight got so out of control that Ben questioned if Michael was who he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. It shocked Michael when Ben didn’t just think it but actually said it. They spent a couple of days barely speaking before Ben told Michael how he really felt about the way Michael butted into everyone’s lives. Michael listened, trying to say he didn’t see it as him butting in because they were his friends. Ben pointed out that not one of their friends questioned any time he and Michael want to spend time with only each other, but were happy to give them the time. Michael was told that if he persisted in not offering the same to his friends, then Ben would be happy to finish the tour alone, so Michael could be with the people he deemed more important than his relationship with Ben. For the past month, Michael had been good, but Ben had a feeling he’d have to deal with it again after what he had just been told.


“Neither of them is willing to settle down,” Michael said out loud when Ben just sat there.


“By your definition, probably. Everyone else sees that they got married and do what they can to be together as much as possible with their schedules. Before you say anything, they also take care of Gus and our daughter anytime they’re asked. Setting aside anything else if it conflicts with the kids.” Ben told him.


“They ran off to Paris for a month, which conflicted with time with the kids,” Michael told him.


“No. They took time for themselves after making sure it didn’t interfere with Gus’s needs. Let's call it what it really was, they didn’t make time for YOUR neediness. You need to understand something that you don’t seem to get when it comes to Brian or Justin, they don’t come first in each other's lives. Gus comes first for them and now he will have to share it with the child that will be lucky to have them as fathers. Which is how I hope you rank our children in our lives.” Ben told him.


“Of course I do. No one is more important than Jenny and Hunter, other than you.” Michael told him.


“Sometimes it doesn’t feel that way to us,” Ben answered.


“I don’t mean for you to feel that way, but Brian doesn’t get that just because Justin wants something it doesn’t mean he has to give it to him. A kid is a lot of responsibility. It’s something they don’t have a clue about since they only deal with Gus for a few days at a time.” Michael told Ben, not even recognizing how hypocritical his statement was.


“Hunter was a teenager and self-relent when we adopted him. Jenny lives with her mothers and we have the same visitations as Brian and Justin do. Brian and Justin didn’t let a week go by without seeing Gus when the girls moved. You and I showed up here and there. I think Brian and Justin know more than we do about responsibility.” Ben answered.


“We couldn’t afford the trips.” Michael tried to argue.


“Not by plane like Brian, but we could have driven there the way Justin did at the beginning,” Ben told him.


“This is a major change in their lives, yet they didn’t even tell us they were going to do it,” Michael told him, not wanting to argue when he didn’t have anything to argue with on that one.


“Which I told Justin I was happy that both he and Brian are over the moon about Max. Michael, they aren’t waiting, they have Max already. You need to accept that as fact, and not something that you have a right to tell them your opinion on. Maybe you should think about why Brian didn’t tell you until your opinion wouldn’t matter to him.” Ben told Michael, watching him walk out of the room.


Molly laughed as Max let her twins use him to hold themselves up. At first, she thought her mother was joking when she told her Justin and Brian made her a grandmother again, since no one told her they were even thinking about adopting a kid. It didn’t bother her, because she knew they likely were waiting for news and didn’t need people constantly questioning them. She looked over at her husband as he sat behind Max to make sure the girls didn’t drive the poor boy nuts, but the minute they saw Max they decided he was theirs. Molly looked into those bright blue eyes and could see why Brian and Justin didn’t have a doubt Max belonged to them. There were days she wondered how she got so lucky that everyone in her family got along the way they did. Her girls were normally slaves to her brother-in-law, and they still were, but now they had Max, who seemed to love all the attention he was getting. Molly planned to make sure he knew she and Jason were going to be big part in his life too.


Max’s Aunt Molly told him he didn’t have to just play with Allison and Megan, but he liked helping them. They were the only people who were shorter them him too. He’d asked Dad how to tell them apart and used the freckles on Allison’s nose like his Dad told him. Gus was playing football with a friend who came over with him and told Max he could play too, but Max wanted to play with his cousins since that’s what everyone told him they were and that was new in his life. He was busy, so he didn’t see Auntie Em when he showed up. It wasn’t until Pa came with drinks for him and his cousins that he noticed Billy and Colton standing behind Auntie Em and Mr Drew. He didn’t know if he should go over there or not since they’d been nice to him, but it wasn’t like Gus was to Max.


“What are you thinking about little man?” His Uncle Jason asked.


“They look scared, like I was before Pa smiled at me,” Max told him, as Justin sat down.


“When was that?” Justin asked.


“When you came to Ms… Aunt Lindsay’s class, and only smiled at me. That’s why I talked to you at the museum. Because you weren’t a stranger because you only smiled at me.” Max told him.


“That Taylor smile does it every time.” Jason agreed.


“Do you want to go talk to them?” Justin asked Max.


“Maybe Gus could, cause he’s good at it,” Max told Justin, making Justin laugh at Max’s belief in the power of Gus.


Billy looked around, not wanting to act like it meant anything that he and Colton were invited to what looked like a family thing with... Emmett and Drew. He still had a hard time calling them by their first names since most adults expected to be called Mr something or other. He spotted Max sitting with babies and two other men, looking like he was part of everything. Poor kid. Max didn’t realize you don’t get attached, because these people came and went in your life. He didn’t live under any illusions anymore. He would thank Emmett and Drew for a chance to go somewhere and then he and Colton would go back to what they knew at the end of the day.


“Hey, you guys want to play with us?” An older kid yelled, making Billy look behind him to see who the kid was talking to. “You two.” He said, pointing to Billy and Colton.


“Gus.” A woman said, like she wasn’t happy with him.


“Sorry Nana, but I didn’t know their names,” Gus told her.


“Oh, sorry. This is Billy and Colton. The yeller is Gus, who will fill you two in on everyone else around here, if you two want to play with them.” Emmett told them.


“We can sit over there.” Billy offered, pointing to the far end of the pool.


“Or we could see if we can show Gus some moves.” Drew said to Billy and Colton, wanting them to get use to being included.


Billy and Colton followed Drew, who caught the ball tossed to him, then threw it back to Gus and the other kid. Gus nodded to Billy before throwing it to him. Colton was curious about Max and shook his head when Billy nodded to him, walking over to see Max. He stood there not sure what to do, since Max wasn’t alone.


“My girls don’t bite if you want to sit down. I’m Jason.”


“They just like to climb a lot.” Max told him, scooting over.


“Where is this angel I heard about!?” Screeched Deb as she came to the backyard, causing Max and Colton to jump at the noise.


“Over here, Deb.” Justin told her, as she ignored everyone to get to them.


“Carl told me to give you two time, and for once I did.” Deb laughed, staring between the boys.


“This is Max. Max, that’s Grandma Deb. Emmett brought Colton and Billy with him today so we could get to know the boys.” Justin told her, pointing out everyone.


“How do you feel about having Sunshine for a daddy?” Deb asked Max.


“Sunshine?” Max asked Justin.


“It’s the nickname I gave Justin when he was a lot younger. His smile was like seeing the sunshine.” Deb tells him.


“He’s my Pa.” Max informed her, and agreed his Pa’s smile was like sunshine.


Colton worried for Max, it was better not to think like that. Billy taught him that. He didn’t say anything, figuring he could get Billy to explain it to Max later. Not getting attached made it easier when you had to leave.


“How do you feel about Drew and Emmett wanting to adopt you?” Deb asked Colton, who looked confused and then scared because, what about Billy?


“Deb, we haven’t told him yet.” Emmett said as he caught up to her.


“I don’t want to be adopted, maybe you guys could take Max.” Colton tells him.


“Pa and Dad are keeping me.” Max told Colton, climbing into his pa’s lap and looking at Justin to tell Colton for him.


“Yes, we are. You’re ours.” Justin assured him.


Colton started to panic, he couldn’t leave Billy alone. Billy and Colton were going to take care of each other. Billy ran toward Colton when he saw the panic attack start. He was angry at everyone for upsetting Colton.


“We want to go back now!” Billy told Emmett.


“Calm down, son.” Drew said following behind Billy when he ran, not sure what was going on.


“They want to adopt me.” Colton told Billy, pointing at Emmett and Drew.


Billy bit his lip, trying to think through his panic at not having Colton around anymore. He looked around and saw the kind of life Colton could get with Emmett and Drew and did what he always did, what was best for Colton.


“You should let them.” Billy said, trying to be brave about it.


“Hold on, let's take a walk. I think we need to explain what Drew and I want to do for both of you.” Emmett told them.


“Stay here. We’ll start getting the food ready so when you’re done everyone can eat.” Justin told them.


Justin helped Jason pick up the girls and letting Deb help Max. Deb mouthed she was ‘sorry’, but Emmett was more concerned about the boys right now. He look at Teddy and shook his head, he and Drew needed to do this since the boys would be theirs one day.


“Everyone’s staring at us.” Colton whispered to Billy.


“Probably because Drew and I totally made a mess of this. We should have talked to you before you ended up hearing it from everyone else.” Emmett told him.


“Colton needs a family more,” Billy told them.


“You don’t think you do?” Drew asked Billy.


“He doesn’t believe anyone wants him anymore.” Colton told Drew, when Billy didn’t answer.


“We do, if you both want us,” Emmett told Billy.


“Why?” Billy asks him.


“You know, at the time I didn’t get it when Justin said the same thing about Max. But for some reason, I think you two were supposed to be ours. Justin’s logic seems to work well for him, he believed Brian would be his one day too, so I’m going to let it be my logic.” Emmett told them.


“So we’re going to live with you?” Colton asked.


“As soon as everything gets approved which isn’t going to be overnight like we wanted it to be. We plan to spend as much time as they’ll let us with you so both of you are sure you’d like having two dads.” Emmett told them.


“If we could you’d be living with us now. But understand, we are going to do everything to make that possible soon. But like Emmett said, it’s still up to you two to decide if we’re good enough for you.” Drew tells them.


“Can we think about it?” Billy asked, not wanting to say yes if they changed their minds.


“Of course. Take as long as you both need, we’ll make sure we spend enough time with you to help you decide to become our sons. Now, how about we go eat one of the many choices of Max: pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, and spaghetti?” Drew asked them.


Blake sat with Ted, watching everyone. Both of them were ready to get up when they heard the commotion, but didn’t because Emmett shook his head at Ted. Ted had been telling Blake about when Brian spent all day at work the other day waiting around for Ted to ask about Max, and continued after knowing Emmett didn't need his help. When Emmett and Drew turned up with the boys it made Blake wonder if he and Ted were ever going to have the conversation. Both of them had been busy and enjoying their lives, not really feeling like anything was missing.


“Do you want to do that one day?” Ted asked, not really sure if he wanted to adopt.


“I haven’t thought about it before now, but maybe,” Blake answered him, wanting time to think about it.


“If we did, we don’t have to do what everyone else is doing,” Ted told him.


“How would you want to do it?” Blake asked.


“For me, I’d want to have a baby that came from you,” Ted told him, liking that idea.


“I’ve always wanted a little Teddy,” Blake told him, wondering if he should tell Ted about his sister’s offer to donate the egg.


“My mother will be thrilled either way. She was starting to think she wasn’t ever going to get a grandchild.” Ted told him.


“I think that’s you saying yes,” Blake told Ted, kissing him.




Chapter 7 by starlight

“How did Michael take the news?” Emmett asked Brian while they were sitting with Deb, watching the kids swim.

 

“I made sure not to say anything, after the whole Paris fiasco,” Deb told them.

 

“He said I could get Justin a dog,” Brian told him.

 

“Why doesn’t that even surprise me,” Deb said getting up shaking her head it didn't even surprise any of them her son would say something like that. She decided to check and see if any of the kids needed anything, instead of apologize once again for Michael.

 

“What was your answer?” Emmett asked.

 

“I hung up. I did what I told Jenny I would, I didn’t feel the need to argue when Michael only hears what he wants to. Michael’s opinion really doesn’t count when it's something Justin and I want. My call was for Jenny not Michael.” Brian said, waving at Max and Gus as they swam by, putting an end to any comments or questions on the subject.

 

“We aren’t going to just be able to take them home with us,” Emmett tells them, as Justin sat on the end of Brian’s lounger. Shaking water on him.

 

“We wouldn’t have either, but we’d already taken the classes they required, and did the counseling, which was all kinds of fun. The state approved us to adopt, and that meant we could foster Max until the adoption is final.” Brian tells him.

 

“I just hate that they’re stuck in the home when we have plenty of room for them,” Emmett tells them.

 

“They’ll have you and Drew to help them,” Ted said, walking up.

 

“I know that, but even when we told Billy and Colton we wanted to adopt them, I could still see the doubt in Billy’s eyes that it would happen. When we leave they’re going to see Max is staying here and they have to go back to the place we picked them up from. Then we have six months before we can be considered to be a foster family, which leaves them even more time to doubt us.” Emmett tells them.

 

“For Max’s sake I’m just glad we’d been doing this. Brian and I have been reassuring him and I think it’s why he’s willing to believe us, because we make sure he knows what happens as it does. When the caseworker came here last week, she told us a lot about his past and it helped us to understand how little the kids are told about what’s going to happen to them.” Justin tells them.

 

“We made that mistake today. I wanted them to have fun and get to know us. We were going to talk about what Drew and I were hoping to do before dropping them off. Now I dread today ending because I have to leave them.” Emmett told them sadly.

 

Brian understood how Emmett felt, because the idea of having to hand Max over after spending the day with him wasn’t something Brian would want to do. He didn’t like doing it with Gus for years either, but it’s what they’d have to do to get what they wanted in the end… or...

 

“Justin and I need to talk for a minute,” Brian tells Emmett, getting up and dragging a confused Justin behind him.

 

 

Billy let Colton swim while he thought about what Emmett and Drew told them. It would be so easy to believe and start allowing himself to think that his life and Colton’s could really be spent with people who cared about them. Only, he had tried that since he was little and stopped believing in the people who said the right things then sent him away. He remembered reading a stupid quote on a pillow at one of his foster homes about hope not abandoning you, that you abandon it. Well, Billy only did that when hope kept kicking him in the teeth. It’s why he told Colton the rules; the ones that made dealing with the crap they were dealt easier. You don’t let them fool you into getting comfortable; you don’t use names you’ll miss; and you never get attached to people. He broke the last rule with Colton, but Billy needed someone to know he existed. Someone that would miss him.

 

“You want more to eat?” Gus asked Billy, sitting down and rubbing Max with a towel.

 

“No. It was good, thank-you,” Billy told him politely.

 

“Max, I think Nana wants to make sure I did a good job drying you off,” Gus tells Max.

 

“Nana wants hugs,” Max said smiling and running to her.

 

“You really shouldn't do that to the kid,” Billy told Gus quietly.

 

“Do what?” Gus asked, wanting to help Billy when he noticed the way he looked like he was keeping himself apart.

 

“If they end up not doing what they told Max, it would hurt him badly with all of you encouraging him to think this is real,” Billy told him.

 

“The only thing we’re waiting for is Max’s adoption to be official. As far as everyone who's here is concerned, he’s ours. My Dads wouldn’t have done this if they didn’t plan on following it through. And understand me, Max is my brother, who I will love and make sure no one ever hurts.” Gus told him, keeping his tone neutral because he wanted Billy to see he was serious, not threatening.

 

“I hope for him you’re right,” Billy told him, wishing for a lot of things.

 

“You do get that Emmett and Drew aren’t just messing around with the idea of you and Colton, right?” Gus asked.

 

“Lots of people did in the past, but I’m still where I am. Something you wouldn’t understand, since you’ve never been in our shoes. And trust me, I’m happy for you to have all this and a life I’ve read about in fairytales, but me, I’m a realist, and that means not letting myself believe in things unless they happen. Like you, I don’t want Colton to get hurt if they end up being like the rest.” Billy told him.

 

“Then when it happens you’ll have to admit sometimes dreams do come true, for you and Colton. In the meantime, I’d like to be your friend. And understand me, if you agree you don’t get rid of me. No matter where you go, I’ll find a way to get there.” Gus tells him.

 

“Why would you want to bother?” Billy asked.

 

“You haven’t judged me for the fact that my fathers are gay, and I don’t think you’ll judge me for the fact that I live with my two gay mothers,” Gus answered.

 

“How do you know I don’t?” Billy asked.

 

“Because if that bothered you, you won’t have wanted Colton to be adopted by Emmett and Drew,” Gus told him.

 

“If people want to love someone, why does it matter?” Billy asked him.

 

“Strangely enough it does, when like you said, it shouldn’t matter,” Gus answered.

 

“Let them grow up not being loved and they’ll figure out why it’s more important,” Billy told him.

 

“I think you're going to be one of my best friends one day. By the way, that’s a promise, something my family takes very seriously. On a less serious note, why don’t we swim so we can just have fun for the day.” Gus told him, dragging him to the pool.

 

 

“What?” Justin asked, pushing Brian back from mauling him.

 

“I just wanted some attention.” Brian jokes.

 

“Which I’m happy to give you, but that’s not what’s on your mind,” Justin tells him.

 

“All the mystery is gone in this relationship,” Brian tells him, still thinking about if he should even offer this.

 

“We spent the first five years dealing with the mystery of Brian Kinney. How about you tell me what you’re thinking,” Justin tells him.

 

“That I’m glad we don’t have to do what Emmett and Drew will, with Max,” Brian tells him.

 

“We did it all, it’s why we got to take Max with us… But that’s not what your thinking is it?” Justin asks, starting to get where Brian is going with this.

 

“It’s not like they couldn’t live here we have the room and your taking time off for Max. I'm letting my people take over so I'll be here more. You know Emmett and Drew would help until they can be cleared,” Brian argues.

 

“You can’t help trying to save the day can you?” Justin tells him, having no problem with the idea.

 

“But if we offer, are we doing something that would affect OUR children?” Brian asked.

 

“By showing them everyone deserves a chance at a life like theirs will be? I think that would reinforce to them what we hope for them to be one day,” Justin tells him.

 

“Yes, but Max needs us to be there until he no longer doubts we love him,” Brian tells him.

 

“He’ll have that, not just from us but everyone in this crazy family of ours. I think it would make it easier, not just on Billy and Colton but on Emmett and Drew to not have to worry about scheduling time together. We wouldn’t stand in their way, and this way the boys could stay with them some nights and if nothing else know we’ll always offer them a home here.” Justin tells him.

 

“Can you get Emmett and Drew? I’ll call Gabriel and offer him a bonus if he can speed it up for us,” Brian tells him.

 

Gabriel hung up his phone, thinking if he was a kid he’d want that family behind him. He dialed the caseworker, Sabrina’s, number. Thinking she probably dreaded hearing from him by now. Although she should be celebrating that these kids were finding a family, but then he went over her head the last time, and would again if he needed to, which didn’t make her very happy with him. 

 

“This is very unusual, but they’ve been approved, so as long as they understand by taking the boys in, that everything falls on them right now, I’ll call my boss this time instead of you.” She told him, hanging up.

 

Gabriel called his PA and told her to get the file ready for Brian and Justin to have ready to take with them for Billy and Colton, then waited fifteen more minutes before he was called back by Sabrina.

 

“I wish I had the kind of clout your clients do.” She tells him.

 

“Normally they wouldn’t use it unless they feel strongly about what they want.” He tells her.

 

“What about the other adoptive parents? I thought you were helping them with Billy and Colton.” She asks, curious.

 

“I still will be, but I think it’s more about not wanting the boys to be stuck in the group home until they can be approved to live with Emmett and Drew. I don't see how having a home is ever a bad thing, especially because Brian would offer if he didn’t feel he would help the kids more than his friends.” He tells her.

 

“That’s a lot to do for friends.” She tells him.

 

“In this case they're doing it for their family, which they consider Colton and Billy to already part of. They’re an amazing group of men who will do anything for each other. And you don’t have to worry, Billy and Colton will feel nothing but loved by the whole family.” I tell her.

 

“I’ll meet them at the group home in a couple of hours. Maybe one of the other kids will get lucky.” She said, smiling as she hung up the phone.

 

Gabriel dialed Brian, deciding to give him a hard time before telling him the news.“I want you to admit I’m a miracle worker.”

 

“When?” Brian asked, not even bothering with messing around.

 

“She can be there in a couple of hours to help you get the boys things.” Gabriel hung up, feeling good about his job, something that wasn’t always possible for him.

 

“What?” Emmett asked looking between Justin and Brian. He and Drew were confused at why they were sitting here, but waited for them to tell them.

 

“I sort of miss when everyone thought I was the problem,” Brian tells Justin.

 

“That’s until they figured out you were actually helping by stealth,” Justin tells him.

 

“Emmy Lou and Drewsie, we have two boys to get rooms ready for in this house. Which means you two get to shop again.” Brian tells them.

 

“Who?” Emmett asked, still lost.

 

“What Brian is saying is, instead of the boys having to be picked up by you at the group home, you’ll have to come here to get them. We’ll be their foster family while you deal with how to make them your sons.” Justin tells him.

 

“I didn’t want them to have to go, but are you guys really sure about this?” Emmett asked.

 

“When have I ever done anything unless I wanted to?” Brian asked.

 

“Never. But this is bigger than anything we’ve ever asked of you,” Drew answered.

 

“It’s no more than you would have done if we needed you to,” Justin told him.

 

“What he said. Can we not get sentimental and maybe let the kids know before Deb shouts it out to everyone,” Brian said when Emmett came rushing to him, ignoring his scowl as he crushed him in a hug. 

 

“Thank-you, and hug me back,” Emmett ordered his brother to do.


End Notes:

I felt that because of how Brian and Michael’s friendship changed through the years in this story. Brian's conversation with Michael was just to pass information in his eyes and he felt no reason to discuss what  he deemed as being done for Jenny. By not discussing it, it showed how little impact Michael’s words had on him.

Chapter 8 by starlight

Hunter was looking forward to meeting Max. Brian calling Hunter to help made him happy that they trusted him to be able to do it.  He had been surprised when Brian told him they were adopting a kid. He asked why Justin wasn’t doing the tutoring. He agreed when Brian told him that Justin didn’t want Max to feel like he was more his teacher than his father right now. Hunter was thrilled to help since he was still waiting for a permanent position as a teacher. He’d been helping out with kids at the GLC, hoping to either get them back into school or at least working towards a GED and told Brian he’d be happy to volunteer his time for their son. Brian insisted they pay him, no matter how many times Hunter told him ‘no’. Brian told him to remember his time needed to worth something and this way he didn’t have to work two jobs to support his stubborn ass. Hunter knew if he asked Ben and Michael would have helped him out, but he liked his independence.

 

He called Lindsay to see where Max was behind and read between the lines. The kid hadn’t had any real education before starting school. He wanted to make learning fun for Max, the way he hoped to do for his students when he got a full time job. 

 

He had told Brian he’d be running late today and pulled up to a houseful. Looking at the house he wondered how many kids they were thinking of having when they bought it. It wasn’t outrageous, but it still had six bedrooms. When they bought it only the two of them lived there. It had Michael joking he and Ben could move in, which no one laughed at when Michael said it. He was actually surprised that Michael hadn’t mentioned the adoption, until he talked to Ben today. He could hear that once again that things weren’t happy between his dads, but Ben told him not to worry, he and Michael would work it out as usual.

 

He got to the back yard and saw Gus swimming with some kids but they looked too old to be the five-year-old he was looking for.

 

“Get something to eat first. Hopefully by then Justin and Brian will be finished talking to Emmett and Drew.” Ted told Hunter when he walked over to him and Blake.

 

“I was supposed to meet them too, they want me to help tutor Max.” Hunter told him.

 

“Jen took him in to change. I think she’s curious about what Brian and Justin were up to.” Blake told him.

 

“Who are the two kids swimming with Gus?” Hunter asked, since they were new as well.

 

“Billy and Colton. Drew and Emmett brought them, and just like Brian and Justin, they’re planning to adopt them.” Blake answered.

 

“What did they do, raid an orphanage?” Hunter joked.

 

“They were kids that were at the same house as Max. Emmett was really upset about the whole situation. After talking it over with Drew they decided having a new baby wasn’t important to them anymore. We had a little meltdown earlier when Deb announced Drew and Emmett wanted to adopt the kids, which they didn’t know about before Deb said it. But everything seems to be okay now.” Ted told him.

 

Hunter grabbed a plate while they all waited for the guys to come back outside. Brian and Justin came out with a small kid holding their hands and Hunter figured this must be Max. Gus confirmed it by yelling his name. 

 

Justin brought Max over to meet Hunter while Brian went to tell the boys that Emmett and Drew wanted to talk to them. Billy and Colton got out of the pool, and used the towels Brian handed them to dry off before following him into the house. 

 

Max sat on Justin’s lap looking at Hunter, not knowing who he was. “Pa?” He asked, staring at Hunter.

 

“Sorry. Hunter this is Max, Max this is Hunter. Hunter came here because he’s going to help you catch up with the rest of your class at school.” Justin told him.

 

“Are you friends with my Pa and Dad?” Max asked, feeling confident since Justin seemed to like Hunter.

 

“We are. But he’s also family like everyone else here.” Justin explained to him.

 

“I’m also Jenny’s big brother.” Hunter told him, since he knew Max met Jenny.

 

“But she’s Gus’s sister too.” Max told him.

 

“Like your Pa told you, we’re all family.” Hunter told him.

 

“Are you like Gus for me?” Max asked trying to understand.

 

“He is, but he has different daddies than us.” Gus told him, coming to say hi to Hunter.

 

“Yeah, but we don't really think it matters, family is family. So I'm sort of like an honorary big brother for you too.” Hunter told Max.

 

“What’s onry?” Max asked Justin, wondering why they all laughed. But Pa smiled so it was okay.

 

“It means I love you like I love my sister Jenny and my brother Gus. Which means you have to decide if you want two big brothers.” Hunter told him. Max decided he was going to love his Hunter too, since Gus nodded in agreement.

 

“Did we do something wrong?” Billy asked Brian, not sure why he was taking them in the house.

 

“Justin is better with this than I am.” Brian mumbled, before stopping in front of the boys. “What would you think you could be in trouble for?” Brian asked.

 

“It feels like your taking us to the principal's office.” Colton said when he and Billy couldn’t think of anything.

 

“Your partly right. We’re going to my office in the house. But Emmett and Drew are waiting, not the principal. We just thought it would be better for them to talk to you by yourselves since the changes we were working on affect the two of you and no one else. Before we go in there understand two things. Even if we all are happy to do what we planned for you two, it won’t hurt any of us if you two aren’t ready for what we want. And, it also won’t change that Emmett and Drew still want the two of you.” Brian told them.

 

“If we say no, it still means they want us?” Colton asks, wanting to hear it again.

 

“Emmett cleaned our house from top to bottom, thinking he had to convince me, when all he would have had to do was take me to see you and Billy, for me to know we wanted you.” Drew told them, coming to see where they were. “Brian and Justin offered us a way so that you boys wouldn’t have to go back to the group home. How about we go and talk so you two can decide if you want to try it.” Drew told them.

 

Billy and Colton nodded and went into the office, where Emmett was pacing around. Drew managed to get Emmett to sit down in the chair and the boys sat on the sofa next to him.

 

“I didn’t want you two to have to go back to the group home. I know you’re still not sure if you believe we want to adopt you. And seeing that Max was staying here and will be until his adoption was finalized would have looked odd to you because we can’t take you home yet. I mentioned it to Brian… Actually I was jealous and worried, and used Brian to vent my frustrations because that’s how we all use Brian. I think it’s because, for years, Brian would say something sarcastic and then he’d do what he could to help. I didn’t expect him to this time, but then like always, he did.” Emmett tells them, as Colton and Billy looked really confused at the whole explanation.

 

“What Emmett means is that after he talked about not wanting you to return to the group home, Brian and Justin found a way to make what Emmett wanted, happen. Brian and Justin are willing to be your foster parents until Emmett and I can adopt you. It means you’ll end up moving twice more. Once here until we can finalize everything and make you our sons, and the second time into the home that will be yours for the rest of your life, with Emmett and me. This doesn’t mean you both can’t decide we aren’t who you want as dads but it also means something else.” Drew told them, hoping one of them would ask him.

 

“What?” Billy asked.

 

“No matter what you do or where you go in life this family will always be a place you can find a home with any of us.” Drew told him.

 

“Is that true?” Billy asked Brian. Wanting to know if they really wanted to deal with him and Colton for Emmett and Drew.

 

“Once you enter our lives, we are in your lives now and always.” Brian told him.

 

“We have to stay here?” Colton asked Emmett.

 

“Brian and Justin were already waiting to adopt a child. They’d already done everything required, which made it easier for them to foster Max. Drew and I both wanted children but hadn’t really done anything about it. Something about seeing you boys… I saw how much better Drew’s and my life could be if you two were part of it. Brian and Justin are offering to give you two a place here so we can have you both as often as possible while you two can get to know the family we want to offer you. I’m likely going to drive Brian crazy being here all the time, but my boys will be here, so they’ll deal with it.” Emmett told him.

 

“We could help with Max, we’ll make sure we do better this time.” Billy told Brian, willing to give this a try against his better judgement.

 

“Max is our responsibility and the only thing we want is for you guys to be friends with him.” Brian told them.

 

“Gus said he wanted to be best friends.” Billy said, testing how Brian would feel about him being around the real kid.

 

“God help you. Because he’s like his Pa, stubborn and unmovable when he wants something.” Brian told Billy, smiling.

 

“So, do we stay with him?” Colton asked Billy.

 

“We want to stay with him.” Billy told Emmett and Drew, pointing to Brian.

 

Justin came in, wanting to tease Brian when he heard Billy, but Gabriel was here. “We need to get Billy and Colton changed. They’re letting us go now and pack them up.” Justin told them.

 

“Today?” Billy asked, thinking it would still take time.

 

“Of course today. When Brian wants something he moves mountains to get it, or buys a house.” Justin joked.

 

“I can go with them, if you want to go shopping to get things for them.” Drew told Emmett.

 

“We will go after we help Brian and Justin. The boys need to pick the things they like, my style isn’t for everyone.” Emmett told them.

 

“I like it.” Colton told him.

 

“He likes everything.” Billy told them, trying not to get caught up in the excitement. It was hard not to let that little spark he could feel inside him out. Maybe this was what hope felt like.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

Billy kept waiting for Brian or Justin to treat him and Colton like they owed the two of them something for all they were doing. It’s how he always felt every time someone let him stay in their house. He didn’t know how to feel about everything that was happening and didn’t understand why Brian and Justin would do something for people who really were just their friends. Billy knew that if Colton wanted something he’d move mountains for him, just like Justin said Brian would for him. But he and Colton were strangers to them. 

 

Colton sat next to Emmett, for once not letting Billy be the one he leaned on. He felt bad because he was willing to believe good things were happening, in the way Billy warned him against doing. Colton, who depended on Billy for everything, thought that Billy needed someone more than just him in his life. He needed someone he could look up to, not look after. Billy did everything for Colton and he never asked for anything from him but the promise that he would always remember him. As far as Colton was concerned he and Billy weren’t just brothers for that reason. They were brothers because they both needed to know that no matter what happened in their lives they had someone who loved them. Colton felt like maybe Emmett and Drew understood that, even though it was just a guess. 

 

Billy watch Brian a lot. Whereas Emmett and Justin seemed open, Brian seemed closed off at first. He was nice to Billy and Colton and was willing to open his and Justin’s home to them, which was bizarre enough since they were all just friends. But then he didn’t even blink at the idea of Gus being friends with Billy. Billy was used to people not wanting him and Colton around and hated when they acted like it was a privilege for Billy and Colton to be allowed in their presence, and didn’t know how to feel when Brian seemed okay with Gus wanting to be his friend.

 

Billy wasn’t even sure what to make of Justin, which was just him trying to avoid the fact that Emmett and Drew really wanted him and Colton. Billy wanted to believe so badly that he did what he always did when that happened; he avoided thinking about it. By worrying about Justin and Brian it meant he could just let that spark stay until it was extinguished again.

 

Emmett wondered what was going on in Billy’s head. The boy kept staring at Justin and Brian the whole drive. Emmett knew Brian hated anyone feeling grateful for his generosity. So Emmett did his best to not thank Brian over and over for going beyond what he would have asked of him. Thinking about it, Emmett felt it would be good for Billy and Colton. Emmett knew that when Brian told the boys they were going to always have the family, that it was one promise they’d all make sure they could believe in. Emmett also knew that where he’d smother them, Drew would make sure they had room to breathe. In Brian and Justin, Billy and Colton would see people they could come to, if they weren’t ready to come to Emmett and Drew. Emmett’s mind was already made up; his sons would never lack for anything they needed. Maybe he’d get them a dog too. Michael’s comment had made him angry but unless he became a problem Emmett would do what Brian was doing.

 

After meeting once again with Sabrina, Justin wandered off while Brian asked a few questions. Emmett and Drew had gone with the boys to help them pack. Justin wanted to give them room and not make them feel like they were being crowded by everyone. He planned to talk to Hunter about helping if the boys needed it. He felt like Hunter would understand them and possibly understand more than the rest of them did. Billy wandered out of the room and Justin followed him outside. He was curious to find out why the boy looked like everything was too much for him.

 

“I’m sure you hate being asked this but are you okay?” Justin asked when Billy saw him.

 

“I don’t hate being asked.” Billy told him.

 

“I used to.” Justin tells him, willing to open up if it helped Billy.

 

“Most of the time no one asks me. They just do what they tell themselves is best for us.” Billy told him.

 

“In this family you’re going to be bombard with that question, so enjoy it.” Justin tells him, smiling.

 

“It’s hard to believe you. I want to, but…” Billy told him, scared to tell him that he still had doubts that might not make sense to anyone but him.

 

“I’m not going to tell you I can understand. Because while my life wasn’t always perfect, it wasn’t anything like yours has been. In fact I don’t have anything to complain about. My father threw me out for being gay, but I was still lucky because the people in my life made sure I knew they’d stick by me. They gave me more than a roof over my head, they gave me place in their lives. Something we are all willing to do for you, Colton, and Max.” Justin told him.

 

“What made you want Max?” Billy asked, because he wanted to know what made Justin believe so strongly about Max.

 

“I’ve always wanted children. But with my life they weren’t going to be possible the way they were for my sister. Brian and I love Gus, and if we never had any other children, we’d still be happy because we have him. With Max, it was that after seeing him for the first time, he never left my thoughts. Brian and I were already planning to adopt, and would have loved any child we were blessed to have in our lives. I want to believe Max was the reason we hadn’t been called yet. Because he was the one we needed in our lives.” Justin tells him.

 

“He’s a good kid. I should have looked after him better.” Billy told him, feeling like he needed to excuse himself for what happened to Max.

 

“No. You shouldn’t have to feel like what happened was your fault. I don’t know what that house was like for you guys but I do know none of you should have felt like you were to blame for the adults who opened their home to you and didn’t do what they should have.” Justin tells him.

 

“They were actually decent in comparison to some of the other places. I could tell they wanted to do the right thing, only they weren’t sure how to deal with all of us. Even Max, as little as he is, understood they weren’t invested in us.” Billy told him, as Justin’s heart hurt to hear how easily that came out of Billy.

 

“All of us are more than invested in you guys. For us, you complete the families we dreamed of having one day. Brian and I aren’t just doing this for Emmett and Drew, but because we think you and Colton will enrich our lives by being in them. We need you. Probably more than you need us. Remember that.” Justin tells him.

 

“Why?” Billy asked.

 

“Because one day you’ll all makes us proud of the men you’ll become, from the kids you already are. Your strength already amazes me, because of the way you care for Colton when you didn’t have to.” Justin tells him.

 

“He made it… different. I tried so hard not to get close to people because it hurt, but Colton needed me. I let him in because I wanted someone to know I existed.” Billy tells Justin, not sure why he opened up to him.

 

Drew wanted to wrap his arms around Billy. God, what kind of life would have a kid worried about something like that. He’d only come to see where Billy had disappeared to and stood back when he heard them talking, because Justin was someone everyone talked to easily. The blond just had a natural ability to put people at ease, and Drew knew Billy and Colton would benefit from Justin’s warmth and understanding. Drew wanted both boys to feel the way Gus and Jenny felt when it came to all the men in the family. He wondered if maybe somewhere out there all of this was meant to happen the way Justin said. 

 

“I’m glad you did because it made it easier for us to find the both of you.” Drew tells Billy, who jumped at Drew’s voice.

 

“Are we ready?” Justin asked, trying not to embarass Billy who seemed to still be dealing with Drew the hero.

 

“Emmett’s ready to shop till the boys drop. I have a feeling I’ll be dragging him home tonight.” Drew tells them.

 

“I’m not sure I like shopping.” Billy told Drew.

 

“Me and you both son. Maybe you and I could indulge Emmett tonight and then I’ll take you to meet the team.” Drew tells him.

 

“I’ll carry all the bags for that!” Billy told him, running to get his stuff and get out of here.

 

“I think you just met your biggest fan.” Justin jokes as they follow.

 

Drew stopped, wanting Justin to know how much he appreciated what Brian and Justin were doing for him and Emmett. 

 

“What you’re doing…  I know we shouldn’t be surprised by it, but thank-you.” Drew tells him.

 

“Nothing to thank us for. Like I told Billy, he and Colton enrich us because they’re letting us in their lives. I feel like they were all waiting for us to find them.” Justin told him, brushing off the idea that he and Brian needed to be thanked for doing the right thing for the family.

 

Max stumbled through the story Hunter was reading with him. Nana had told Max she wanted to help get Billy and Colton’s rooms ready. Hunter offered to do something with Max to help out. He told Max  they could do anything he wanted and Max went to get his book that Pa had been helping him with. Dad told Max reading was important if he wanted to rule the world. Max wasn’t sure if he wanted to rule the world but he liked the story about the little girl who got a family. Max worried when Pa and Dad left, but only a little bit, because Gus wasn’t worried. 

 

Hunter watched as Max sounded out words, happy when he got them right. It was obvious Max’s only real problem was not receiving help earlier. Brian had told him he’d be adding Colton and Billy to the list. Drew told Hunter not to fight him and Emmett when they paid him. Hunter, while not wanting to be paid, knew they weren’t going to take ‘no’ for an answer. At the rate they were willing to pay him he could quit both dead end jobs he took when he didn’t get hired for a teaching job right away. It would also mean he could devote more time to the kids at the GLC, so he just agreed because he'd be able to help others too. Max got to the end of the book and ran to Molly when she came out with the girls.

 

“Max loves the girls.” Gus tells Hunter, dropping down next to him.

 

“How are you dealing with Max?” Hunter asked.

 

“I knew Dad and Pa were planning to adopt eventually, but I’m glad Max is who they ended up with. Looking at Max, I can see why Dad couldn’t resist him.” Gus said smiling.

 

“If you didn’t know, you’d think he came from Justin.” Hunter mentions.

 

“I don’t think it’s the resemblance to Justin but that probably didn’t hurt. Dad wouldn’t care if Max was purple. I think for all of us, it’s that Max gave us a chance and is willing to love us, and that he trusts us to love him back.” Gus tells him.

 

“It’s the hardest thing sometimes, learning to trust people when you never could.” Hunter tells him.

 

“You eventually did, not that we would have let you go.” Gus tells him.

 

“Ben told me Michael did his usual foot-in-mouth when he found out.” Hunter says, changing the subject because he wanted to find out if Michael did.

 

“He told Dad to get Justin a dog. Justin asked Max if he wanted one, and Dad hung up. Neither of them really lets Michael’s opinion matter to them.” Gus tells Hunter, confirming what Hunter suspected.

 

He said WHAT?” Jen asked, since no one had told her.

 

“Nana, did you really expect anything else? I mean we are talking about Michael.” Gus tells her, hoping she’d let it go like his dads did.

 

“He shouldn’t get a pass for saying stupid things. When they were adopting me, no one would have said something like that to him.” Hunter pointed out.

 

“I won’t give him a pass if he says anything that upsets Max or Jenny.” Gus tells him.

 

“I’ll make sure to help you. Max, Billy, and Colton will not have to deal with anyone making them feel like they don’t belong to us.” Jen tells Gus, knowing it would be nothing compared to Justin and Brian’s reaction if Michael didn’t think before saying stupid things in front of the kids.

 

Gus and Hunter both laughed when Jen went to go help with Max and the twins. They weren’t laughing because Jen claimed all the boys, the same way she claimed them. They were laughing because while Michael cowed to Deb, he did anything to avoid Jen, who didn’t let him excuse himself with the ‘I didn’t mean it’ excuse he used every time. Gus agreed that if you don’t mean it, don’t freaking say it. 

 

 

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

Brian was sitting in his office with Max after they returned from the group home. He planned to make sure Max knew his office was always open for him. Gus had grown up understanding that there was never a time he couldn’t come to Brian and it was a tradition he would continue with Max. Justin came in with Hunter and Jen after he’d seen everyone out and checked on the rooms Billy and Colton would be using. 

 

“Hunter wanted to talk to us,” Justin told Brian as they all entered.

 

“I just wanted to talk to you both later. And I want let you know I’m available if I can help with anything concerning Max,” Jen told him, sitting down.

 

“Grown-up stuff?” Max asked Brian.

 

“It’s about how to help you,” Hunter answered.

 

“Max stuff,” Brian answered, smiling as Max nodded.

 

“What were you thinking?” Justin asked Hunter.

 

“I’m going to see if Lindsay would allow me to come to class and volunteer, that way I can help Max with her curriculum. What we do outside of school will be geared more towards shoring up problems that occurred from not preparing him for school. I don’t want what we do to clash with what Lindsay needs, but I also want Max to have fun with learning. I don’t want him feeling like he’s just moving from the classroom at school to one at home.” Hunter tells them.

 

“I’ve been looking up educational toys and programs that should help,” Justin tells Hunter.

 

“Of course you have,” Brian smirks.

 

“We can discuss them and decide which ones would help Max,” Justin tells Hunter, ignoring Brian.

 

“I can start Monday if Lindsay gives me the go ahead,” Hunter told them.

 

“I call and talk to her about it,” Justin tells him.

 

 “Thanks. And I need to get going, I have a night class I’m helping with. Tell Emmett and Drew to call me about Billy and Colton.” Hunter tells Brian, getting up.

 

“You already asked Hunter about that?” Justin asked after Hunter left.

 

Gus came in to see if Max wanted to watch a movie, and whispered in Brian’s ear that Jen found out about what Michael said to him. Brian told him not to worry, as he took Max with him.

 

“I wanted to make sure they had help if they need it. But I have a feeling Billy would do better with you,” Brian answered Justin.

 

“Why?” Justin asks.

 

“I talked to Sabrina about any problems in school for either of the boys, since Hunter was already going to help with Max. I wanted to make sure they got help too. From what she told me, Colton’s grades were average until Billy came in his life and started helping him. Colton still struggles with some subjects but his grades are C’s or better. Billy on the other hand, has his teachers baffled about what to do with him.” Brian tells him.

 

“In what way?” Jen asked, interested.

 

“Billy barely pays attention but aces all his classes. If he’s called on can answer anything they ask but rarely participates. With so many other students Billy gets lost in the crowd since he’s been in a few schools throughout his life. They tried to test his IQ, and the results are where the baffling part comes in, he scored in the normal range.” Brian tells her.

 

“Some people don’t test well,” Jen suggests.

 

“Or he doesn’t want to feel any different than he already is,” Justin said, thinking about his life.

 

“Did it make you feel different?” Jen asked Justin.

 

“If I’d been in public school it probably would have. With St James, we were pushed to excel in academics, and it was the one area that I did fit in.” Justin tells her.

 

“Billy needs that type of environment. But I think he’s worried it would separate him and Colton if he shined,” Brian tells him.

 

“Do Emmett or Drew know?” Justin asks.

 

“Emmett and I talked about it, and he wants to look into a school for both the boys. It would be easier on the boys with all the changes they already have if they’re not separated in different schools. And Emmett wants them to have the kind of advantages you did. We’ve seen what it was like for Hunter when Ben and Michael put him in public school. Emmett wanted to talk to you and Jen about the area private schools for both the boys.” Brian tells them.

 

“It won’t be St James. Not after…” Jen looked over to Justin.

 

“I agree with you,” Brian tells her.

 

“What about Gus’s school? It would also give them Gus to help them,” Justin suggests.

 

“We can take Emmett and Drew there with us. If they agree, then we’ll get them registered there.” Brian tells him.

 

“Can we change the subject?” Jen asked.

 

“To Michael?” Brian asks her.

 

“Yes. But only to say I’ll stay out of it unless Max, Billy, or Colton are upset because Michael says anything to upset them. I was surprised at his reaction, more than I should have been.” Jen tells them.

 

“I’ve found it better to not let him feel like what he says changes what Justin and I do,” Brian tells her.

 

“He’s likely more upset that he was the last one we really told. Hunter, Jenny, and Ben all knew before he did.” Justin tells him.

 

“He seems to think anything Brian does for you is wrong.” Jen mumbles.

 

“Hopefully he’ll finally get that what I do for and with Justin isn’t anyone’s business,” Brian tells her.

 

“Have you told Daphne yet?” Jen asked.

 

“She and Brice are doing a phone free vacation. She’ll be happy about it, since she knew it was something Brian and I wanted eventually.” Justin tells her, not really worried about it.

 

“If you need my help, call me. What you two are doing for those boys is a big thing, and not just for Emmett and Drew.” Jen tells them.

 

“I spoke candidly with Sabrina about the situation, and as long as she’s informed when Drew and Emmett have the boys, Justin and I can allow Drew and Emmett to have them anytime,” Brian tells her.

 

“It also gives them time to understand not everything is going to be easy for them either,” Justin tells her.

 

“What we did will allow them to spend time with the kids while they attend classes and counseling.” Brian tells them.

 

“So you found the loophole.” Jen smiles.

 

“They are still our responsibility until Emmett and Drew can be approved,” Justin told her.

 

“Yes, but you made it so the boys have a family instead of strangers around them. Which means Deb and I want to help.” Jen tells them.

 

“She did so well earlier.” Brian jokes.

 

“I’ll make sure she understands to check with you guys before she says anything. I’ll also suggest she gets a dog.” Jen tells Brian, getting up kissing each one before walking out.

 

“Michael is never going to hear the end of that one,” Justin says, getting up and going to Brian.

 

“It didn’t upset you?” Brian asks, pulling Justin down on his lap.

 

“I wanted a kitten.” Justin jokes, before being serious. “It didn’t bother me the way it would have years ago. We’re no longer that couple we were. I think he and Ben are having problems though.”

 

“It’s something they need to deal with. We have a life of our own. Do me a favor keep the cat out of my closet.” Brian tells him, kissing him.

 

“Daddy and Pa, can you watch the movie with us?” Max asks them, followed by Gus who laughed when Brian sighed but got up.

 

Drew and Billy both took off to go look at sports stores after Billy told Emmett what he liked. He noticed people staring at Drew but when they were in the clothing section no one approached them. In the Nike store, it was totally different. People started coming up and talking to Drew like they were best friends. Drew kept Billy near him, while he signed autographs and took pictures.

 

“It must be cool to get to hang out with him.” One kid said to Billy, as Drew signed his hat.

 

“I hope my son never gets bored with me,” Drew told the kid, as if it wasn’t a big deal.

 

“You going to play ball like your father?” An older guy asked.

 

Billy loved football but he really wasn’t built for it. He almost said yes because he didn’t want to embarrass Drew.

 

“Whatever my son decides to do will make me proud of him,” Drew told him, excusing them when Emmett waved that they were ready.

 

“I like that,” Billy told him.

 

“I don’t care what you do when you grow up,” Drew told him, not wanting him ever feel pressured by him.

 

“I meant that you called me your son,” Billy told him.

 

“I’m starting out the way I see our lives heading.” Drew told him.

 

“I’m starting to believe again,” Billy told him, letting Drew hug him.

 

Ben didn’t let Michael’s mood affect his happiness as Jenny came off the plane. As far as Ben was concerned, Jenny was going to have the time of her life with them. She’d never been to England and had sent him requests as to what they were going to do. Michael finally smiled and ran to Jenny, letting go of the cloud hanging over his head at seeing her. 

 

“So I heard about the kid,” Michael says off handedly to Jenny.

 

“Max. Yeah, he’s great. I’m really glad for Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin. Gus already has Max ganging up with him on me.” Jenny tells him, laughing.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about?” Michael asks as Ben breathes deeply, ready to stop Michael.

 

“Because we all know you think they have to wait for your go-ahead to do anything. Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin didn’t need to worry about you overreacting over Max. Which you do anytime Uncle Brian does things for Uncle Justin. Which I don’t get, since I know Daddy would do anything for you and I don’t see Uncle Brian telling you or Daddy how to run your lives. I mean, when you adopted Hunter, was Uncle Brian there telling you to get a dog instead?” Jenny asked giving him a Mel glare.

 

“I don’t think they have to run everything by me,” Michael told her weakly.

 

“Don’t you?” Ben commented, as Michael at least looked ashamed of himself to have to HEAR the truth from his eight-year-old daughter. 


Chapter 11 by starlight

As Drew predicted, he had to drag Emmett out of the house. Emmett finally left after promising both boys that he’d be there to make them breakfast. Brian and Justin had put Max to bed, to give Emmett and Drew time with the boys. Justin, figuring they’d want to talk before they left, grabbed some wine and beers and told Drew to meet Brian and him outside. Brian grabbed a beer from Justin then kissed him before settling down on one of the lounge chairs, wanting to relax after the eventful day.

 

“Hopefully tomorrow won’t be as exciting,” Justin told him, sitting on the end of the lounge chair.

 

“Even if it is, we’re together in dealing with it.” Brian joked, sitting up and wrapping his arms around Justin.

 

Emmett and Drew stopped watching Brian and Justin. Emmett thought back to years ago when the two of them were practically ruling all of Liberty Avenue, and the idea of them settling down wasn’t something Emmett could see happening. Yet they did, in their own way, not letting anyone tell them how to do it. The group used to theorize Brian had kept Justin at a distance for the first five years because he didn’t want Justin to ever look back on his life and regret the things he might not have done if he stayed with Brian. Drew told Emmett one night after hearing them talk that he thought Brian was giving himself time to be ready to give Justin the life he wanted them to have. 

 

“Are they settled in?” Justin asked Drew.

 

“Having their own rooms seems to strange to them,” Drew told them, as he and Emmett sat down.

 

“If they want to share a room, they can,” Brian told them.

 

“The first week Max was here he ended up in bed with us every night. We’ve managed to get him to sleep in his room now that he’s a little more secure that he can come to us.” Justin told him.

 

“I’m trying not to go crazy wanting to give them everything,” Emmett told them.

 

“I felt the same with Max. But right now they need to know they’re wanted more than anything we could buy them. In the classes you're going to take, one of the things you’ll hear about the most is issues with attachment, depression, and acting out. A lot of the kids have displacement issues too. Which makes sense, because they float from home to home they’ll cling to the things that never let them down. Billy and Colton have both lived this way longer than Max did, so you both need to make sure they don’t see material things as love.” Justin told them.

 

“They also need time to get used to everything at their own pace. They feel like guests right now, but only time will change that for them.” Brian told them.

 

“In other words, no trips to Disney tomorrow.” Emmett joked.

 

“God help me. We have to do that again?” Brian pouted.

 

“It was fun.” Justin laughed.

 

“I just want to get this right for them,” Emmett told them.

 

“Emmett, of all of us you are the one person we all saw having a child one day. You open your heart to people and only want what’s best for them. Billy and Colton are lucky that you and Drew want them.” Justin told him.

 

“It’s so weird how I didn’t have any doubts they were waiting for Drew and me. It’s like everything in my life led me to them. Now I’m in a hurry to get to do the things I used to dream of doing for my children.” Emmett told them.

 

“My mom wants to help when you need it too. We were talking about schools earlier and we were thinking they might do well at Gus’s school. They’d have Gus there if they needed him, and the school also makes sure children with alternative families can come to them if they have any problems.” Justin told them.

 

“They also test the kids to determine area’s they need help in and will work with Hunter to catch them up. It will make it easier on Billy to see excelling as a good thing.” Brian told them.

 

“At least Justin can help if it gets above our heads,” Drew commented.

 

“Before Drew drags my ass out of here, I’m cooking in the morning for everyone. If you two want to sleep in have at it. We’ll entertain the kids while you two entertain each other.” Emmett joked.

 

“I know you don’t expect us to thank you, but for once deal with it, for loving our children too,” Drew told them, hugging Justin just to piss off Brian.

 

Billy went to check that Colton was sleeping and was glad Colton wasn’t scared and was asleep. He started back to his room, only to find Max watching him.

 

“You okay?” Billy asked, planning to make sure Max knew he could count on him from now on.

 

“I heard you. What are you doing?” Max asked following Billy into his room.

 

“Still spinning kid. You want me to put you back to bed?” Billy asked.

 

“Why’s you spinning?” Max asked.

 

“It’s just hard to believe everything that’s happened,” Billy answered.

 

“Why?” Max asked.

 

“I’ve had people tell me they wanted me, and it didn’t happen. It seems like I’m dreaming because this time feels real. You seem to be doing good with Justin and Brian.” Billy told him.

 

“Pa says he and Dad was waiting for me. Maybe Auntie Em and Drewsie was waiting to find you the way my Pa found me.” Max told him.

 

“You really like your Pa?” Billy asked.

 

“He smiles his sun smile and it makes everything okay. I like when it’s only for me, but if you want I can tell him to give you one.” Max told him.

 

“What about your Dad?” Billy asked.

 

“He scares the bejesus out of people if they hurt Gus, Pa, or me. Your daddy told me that.” Max told him, yawning.

 

“I can take him,” Brian whispered, making Billy jump.

 

“I’ll do it,” Justin told him, picking up Max.

 

“I was just talking to him,” Billy told Brian when they were alone.

 

“That’s okay. Did he wake you up?” Brian asked.

 

“I couldn’t sleep,” Billy told him.

 

“Do you want a snack, since Justin’s going to be a while?” Brian asked.

 

“I could have put him to bed for you guys,” Billy told him, following Brian.

 

“Justin loves doing it. He was like that with Gus too.” Brian told him, pulling out milk and the oreo’s he’d never admit he ate.

 

“Why didn’t you and Justin have another kid the way you did Gus?” Billy asked, before feeling like he shouldn’t have. “Sorry. It’s none of my business.”

 

“Neither Justin or I care if our child shares our DNA, so adoption was what we decided. As for Gus, originally I didn’t plan to be a father. And for the first few years was really just a visitor in his life.” Brian told him.

 

“Why?” Billy asked.

 

“I didn’t think I’d be a good father, with the way I was raised. It was always something I thought I’d do just as badly as my parents did. Only, between Justin and Gus, they wouldn’t let my past be a reason not to love either one of them.” Brian told him.

 

“Other than Colton, I stopped trying anymore,” Billy told him.

 

“Do you still feel that way?” Brian asked.

 

“It’s hard not to. Every time I thought something good would happen, it never did. It was easier not to get attached to anything because it made it harder when it would disappear.” Billy told him.

 

“So you pushed it away to keep from being hurt,” Brian told him.

 

“Yeah. And it didn’t matter, because it still hurt even knowing it would happen,” Billy told him.

 

“Or you could find people who really love you and will push back. I’m an example of that. I didn’t believe Justin could love me. I didn’t want to believe a seventeen-year-old had any idea what life was, let alone love. Yet every time I pushed away he came back, and I almost lost him because of it. I let him go, not saying what I really wanted was for him to stay. Because in my head he’d eventually be gone. Only, he would have stayed if I’d held out my hand and told him everything I was afraid to tell him.” Brian told him.

 

“You're together now,” Billy commented.

 

“Because Justin gave me a reason to be, by giving me time to be ready for him. Like you, I’d spent my life dealing with disappointments and had a hard time believing a seventeen-year-old kid would change that for me. I stopped fighting him when I realized that the only person who would lose was me, by fighting it.” Brian told him.

 

Billy sat there looking at the glass in front of him, wanting to ask but also not wanting to offend anyone. Then decided he wanted the answer more.

 

“Why did you do it for Emmett and Drew? Take me and Colton in?” He asked.

 

“You and Colton were going to be a part of all our lives, which means all of us would do anything to make that happen as soon as we could. Justin and I didn’t like it any more than Emmett and Drew did that you would have to be somewhere we couldn’t make sure you were both cared for the way we wanted you to be.” Brian told him.

 

“I hope Emmett and Drew are the kind of Dad you are,” Billy told him.

 

“You don’t have to hope, son. They are two of the best people I know.” Brian tells him.  


Chapter 12 by starlight

Emmett, Gus, and Drew quietly entered Brian and Justin’s house. 

 

Gus had called last night, asking to come over with them in the morning, instead of going with his moms to some event with their friends. Lindsay and Mel had been organizing a festival with the GLC to get donations for events for the kids who came when their home life turned ugly. Emmett and Drew had already volunteered any help they needed along with an anonymous donation that Brian, Justin, Ted, and Blake agreed to. 

 

Mel asked to speak to Emmett after he told Gus he’d be by early to get him.

 

“Gus told us about Billy and Colton.” She told him.

 

“We would have told you, but you were busy,” Emmett told her.

 

“I wasn’t complaining about that, I just wanted to tell you both you're doing a great thing,” Mel assured him.

 

“I know we didn’t come to you, but it wasn’t because we doubted you,” Emmett told her.

 

“I didn’t think you did. And I understand wanting the best when it comes to your children. Gabriel would be who I’d want on my side, even though at one time I hated the asshole for what he did with Jenny. I can’t fault him for being as good as he is, and I really don’t want them to see me as anything but Auntie Mel.” Mel told him.

 

“Thank you for understanding,” Emmett told her.

 

“Lindsay and I will arrange some time to have everyone over after Jenny gets back.” Mel told him.

 

“How’s that going?” Emmett asked curiously.

 

“Jenny pretty much told Michael to get over himself, making me proud of her. Ben let me know they were all having a good time. But I get the feeling there's some tension between him and Michael. I tried to ask but Ben brushed it off.” Mel told him.

 

“Should I call?” Emmett asked.

 

“I think it might be better to let Ben call us if he needs us,” Mel told him, before saying goodbye and hanging up.

 

Drew had passed out on the bed, while Emmett was too keyed up to sleep. He called Ted when he couldn’t sleep, and smiled as Ted once again told him how lucky all of them would be to be a family. He’d been worried about calling late but Ted was up thinking himself and told Emmett about what he and Blake had talked about. Ted started to explain why he wanted to do it differently from the rest, but Emmett stopped him and told him the baby would be loved for being theirs. 

 

Drew and Emmett stopped at the doorway to the kitchen, both trying not to laugh at what they were seeing. Max and Colton were standing behind Billy as he rummaged through the cabinets, swearing to both of them he knew there were Oreos in there.

 

“I think I mentioned I’d be here to cook breakfast. Sorry we didn’t get here faster.” Emmett joked.

 

Billy and Colton both jumped, looking guilty. But Max was disappointed they hadn’t found the cookies they planned to snack on. 

 

“We just wanted a snack, and Billy said my dad had cookies,” Max told Emmett, wanting to make sure Billy and Colton didn’t get blamed when he’d dragged them to the kitchen after hearing his dad had cookies.

 

“Dad and Pa wouldn’t care, as long as everything gets cleaned up, Buddy,” Gus tells him, picking him up.

 

“How about some fruit while I start cooking?” Emmett asks them.

 

“Can I help?” Colton asked.

 

“If you want to. I’d be happy to have an assistant,” Emmett told him, hugging him, then Billy.

 

Max let go of Gus, wanting a hug too. Auntie Em took him and hugged him too, so Max held out his arms to Drew. Billy and Colton watched as Max just assumed everyone would do what he wanted, and they all did.  Drew picked up Max tickling him, as Billy relaxed after seeing Max laugh. All the worry left Billy’s face when no one was upset that they were in the kitchen.

 

“We could go play a game while they cook. Emmett made bowls of fruit drizzled with honey for everyone.” Gus told Max, Colton, and Billy.

 

“I wanted to help Emmett,” Colton told them.

 

“Emmett needs me to help him if he can’t find anything,” Max told them.

 

“You want to play?” Gus asked Billy.

 

“Sure. I’m not really that great at it though.” Billy tells him since he rarely played.

 

“Pa!” Max yelled as Justin walked in, getting coffee.

 

“Hey, I told you I’d take care of everything,” Emmett tells Justin, pouring cups of coffee.

 

“Brian never sleeps in and when have I ever refused food?” Justin teased, kissing Emmett’s cheek.

 

“Pa,” Max said, wanting attention.

 

“Yes, my Max.” Justin smiled, picking him up.

 

Max whispered in Justin’s ear. Justin listened, not sure why Max was so insistent about what he asked. But if Max wanted it Justin would do it. 

 

“Good morning Billy and Colton. Max wanted me to tell you something. Just like him, if you're hungry it’s okay to get what you want. You don’t have to ask.” Justin tells them.

 

“You gots to smile too,” Max whispered loudly, as everyone laughed and Justin managed to do what Max ordered him to do.

 

Billy took off with Gus after asking Colton again if he wanted to come. Colton waved him off, too busy watching as Emmett started making the batter for pancakes. Brian came in, grabbing a coffee before kissing Justin, and took Max with him to the table. Drew sat there thinking for a minute about the conversation, before asking Colton casually about it. 

 

“Can I help?” Colton asked Emmett.

 

“I’ll stir while you add the ingredients, how's that sound?” Emmett asked, and Colton looked like Emmett gave him the moon.   

 

“Colton, was that a problem before, getting snacks if you needed them?” Drew asked, not sure if he should have just said food.

 

“Some houses are like that,” Colton told him, concentrating on the pouring the milk in the measuring cup.

 

“Like what?” Drew asked him.

 

“The kitchen was off limits, and some of the people had rules about only eating at the right time,” Colton told him, getting the eggs when Emmett pointed at them.

 

“If you didn’t?” Emmett asked, being careful not to make Colton think anything was wrong.

 

“It didn’t matter, because Billy kept stuff for us if we needed it,” Colton told him, trying to crack an egg.

 

“Billy gave me snacks when I didn’t like the stuff they told us to eat. It’s why I asked him to help me find your cookies.” Max tells Brian.

 

“Since Dad finished them off, we can add it to the list with anything else we need,” Justin smirked as Brian hid behind the paper.

 

Colton realized Emmett looked upset. He tried to figure out what happened. Then worried he had talked too much, like before at other houses.

 

“You okay?” Justin asked him.

 

“Disney is starting to be hard not to want to do,” Emmett told him.

 

“What’s Disney?” Colton asked, wanting Emmett to be happy.

 

“The magical kingdom, to everyone but Uncle Brian,” Emmett told him, smiling as Brian groaned.

 

“Yet, he rode every ride Gus and I dragged him on, except Space Mountain. He turned green just looking at the roller coaster.” Justin teased.

 

“Maybe when you become my dads you can keep me from throwing up too. I hate roller coasters.” Colton told Emmett.

 

“Kid, your dads and brother can do it while we stay safely on the ground.” Brian told him.

 

“Cool,” Colton told Brian, as Emmett realized the past wasn’t as important as what they would all do for the kids.

 

***********************************************************

 

“I total suck at this,” Billy told Gus.

 

“I did too but Justin helped me learn,” Gus tells him.

 

“He likes to play?” Billy asked, trying not to get killed.

 

“He said it helps with his coordination and his painting,” Gus tells him.

 

“I guess it takes a lot to paint,” Billy commented.

 

“He got hurt a long time ago and he said playing games helped him. Dad told me Pa had to relearn how to use his hands afterward to do what he really wanted. Pa’s like wicked smart, and could have done anything else if he wanted to.” Gus tells him.

 

“Being smart doesn’t mean everything.” Billy tells him.

 

“Only if it limits what you want to do, something Pa never let anyone do,” Gus told him.

 

“What do you mean?” Billy asked curiously.

 

“When he was growing up his father wanted him to study business. He had already made plans for Pa. Like what he wanted was more important than what Pa wanted. It’s sort of like that for my mom too. Their parents thinking they had to do what was expected of them, not what they wanted. My mom’s parents didn’t like that my mom wanted to be with girls, and pushed men at her so she could have the typical family they expected, with a trophy son-in-law. Pa’s dad thinks my dad caused Pa to turn his back on everything he wanted for Pa. Only Pa tells it differently. He says that my dad gave him things he’d been waiting for all his life. Dad says he was up against a genius mastermind and decided not to fight when he didn’t really want to anyway. He constantly teases Pa about his SAT scores, but I think it’s because he loves Pa and Pa’s mind.” Gus tells him.

 

“People don’t always see it that way, being smart,” Billy tells him.

 

“Probably because they're jealous of it. I heard Emmett and Drew saying they were going to check out my school, since they think both you and Colton would like it.” Gus told him.

 

“Do you?” Billy asked.

 

“I like that no one says anything about my parents, and the teachers really want to help everyone. When we moved back here the moms put Jenny and me in public school, which wasn’t bad, but it was overcrowded. Then Dad put his foot down, saying he worked all his life to make sure I got the best and to swallow their pride because Jenny and I deserved more. Nana ended up explaining the advantages they were denying us when there was no reason we couldn’t have them. I think the fact that the principal didn’t blink an eye at the fact that Jenny and I both had gay parents won the day. I mean, not everyone has alternative parents at my school but all the parents understand bigotry won’t be tolerated and they can find another school if it’s a problem.” Gus tells him.

 

“Sounds like a rich kids school.” Billy tells him, amazed by hearing how the whole family worked.

 

“A lot of the kids are, but not all of them. My friend, Allen, who was here at the barbecue, is a scholarship student. Which doesn’t really matter to me, because he’s a good guy… You do realize when you and Colton are adopted, you two will be some of the rich kids too.” Gus teases.

 

“It’s not important to either of us. Having a family that wants us, that’s important.” Billy tells him.

 

Emmett stood there wondering how no one ever adopted Billy and then felt sorry for the idiots that overlooked his son. 

 

“If you two are hungry, you’d better hurry, Brian says Justin worked up quite the appetite this morning,” Emmett tells them.

 

“Pa could eat a horse.” Gus agreed, taking off.

 

Billy and Emmett followed, stopping at the doorway as everyone was filling plates. 

 

“I always thought it should be like this,” Billy told Emmett.

 

“Crazy people fighting over food?” Emmett teased.

 

“A family being happy to be together,” Billy told him.

 

“Then we’re lucky, because that’s our family,” Emmett tells him, as they joined the frenzy.

 

Chapter 13 by starlight

The Things I Knew About You When I Married You:

 

I knew even though you love me, there would always be a piece of your heart I couldn’t touch.

I knew while you could be kind and loving, you also let jealousy override your best qualities.

I knew you didn’t say yes when I first asked because part of you held hope for something you really wanted.

I knew every time the words came of your mouth that you didn’t believe that what we had none of your friends would, yet you used it to convince yourself.

I knew that while you wanted the best for your friends, you made sure they only heard they were making mistakes any time they were happier than you.

I knew while you say Justin is a friend, you’ve never forgiven him for Brian wanting him and not you.

I knew it wasn’t about Brian giving the man he loves things. It was that you couldn’t deny that Brian wanted those things just as much.

I knew that when Drew came back, you told Emmett he would just end up hurt if he gave his heart back to Drew.

I knew you agreed to everything with Mel and Lindsay because you were afraid, and when Justin was going too you didn’t tell him it was a mistake because then Brian would need you again.

I knew all that but I still loved you, and no matter how much I hated everything I knew, I still love you.

 

What I know now is that no matter how much I love you, I can no longer silence my thoughts to make you happy. I can’t be the man who sits silently by while you try to find ways to keep a bond with the man you love more than you love me. I can’t sit silently while you treat the joy we found in having Hunter as something your friend doesn’t deserve. I can’t keep silent about the fact that I’m dying faster every day because I want the man I thought I married to see that our bond should be stronger than the one he has with his ‘best friend’. I won’t be your third or fourth choice anymore. I hope after reading this you understand why I felt you needed it on paper instead of spoken words that seem to just drift into the atmosphere after they’re said to you. I wrote this because our daughter became braver than me, by telling you the truth we all live with, while still trying to love the better parts of you.

 

I have always and will always love you, but I won’t continue to suffer in silence or stay if you don’t help save us.

 

Ben

 

Michael stared at the paper, knowing it was what Ben must have written after he left the romantic dinner Michael planned for them. 

 

Ben had ended up being busy for the next week after Jenny went home, and neither of them had really talked much after Michael didn’t cheer like everyone else about Emmett and Drew copying Brian and Justin. It took Michael another week before he thought a month of them both barely speaking to each other was enough. He hoped this dinner and the conversation he thought about would help them make it better. Ben came in to see it all and for the first time in a couple of weeks, Ben no longer looked at Michael like he was a disappointment to him. Michael wanted to suggest an idea he had, and with them alone he thought it would help Ben see how committed Michael was to him. After the wine was poured and they kissed when Michael told Ben it was time to celebrate the new things ahead for them, Ben told him he been asked to extend his tour for another month. 

 

“We’re going to be away long enough.” Michael said wanting to talk about what he wanted.

 

“It’s just another month, and my editor wants me to pair with the writer that will be there for my next book.” Ben told him.

 

“Can’t the guy come to Pittsburgh? There are things I wanted to do for us.” Michael tells him.

 

“My work helps us be able to do things we’ve talked about. It’s just another month, and it will give us time to see more of the things I wanted to show you.” Ben said, trying to get Michael to be happy about having more time to be together.

 

“I have things I want to do too, but was willing to put off for the next five months we’re stuck doing this.” Michael tells him.

 

“You feel like your stuck with me?” Ben asked, no longer thinking of this dinner as what he hoped when he walked in the door.

 

“I didn’t mean it like that. I miss being home. And I want us to think about things we both have always wanted.” Michael tells him.

 

“I thought we both had that, what’s missing?” Ben asked, wondering if maybe it might be something good that Michael was trying to tell Ben.

 

“I know we’ve both been happy with Hunter, and we both wished we’d found him sooner. You were right. We didn’t do the best for Jenny, and I know a lot of it was me, arguing that it was ridiculous to go to Canada when we’d only spend a day or two with Jenny. I want to be better than that.” Michael tells Ben.

 

Ben relaxed, agreeing that Jenny should have them around more. He knew the worst part of this tour for him was only getting to talk to Hunter and Jenny over the phone. Having Jenny here with them, Ben could understand why Michael wanted to get back sooner and was willing to listen because Jenny needed them too.

 

“I’ll let my editor know it would be better to meet the other author in Pittsburgh. You’re right, our daughter is more important.” Ben told him, wondering if Michael’s confusion was from Ben agreeing so easily.

 

“Yeah, she is. and I’ll get started right away so when we get back we’ll be ready to...” Michael told him.

 

“Get started on what?” Ben asked.

 

“To do what everyone else is doing.” Michael told him.

 

“You need to explain it to me because I want to be wrong about what you’re asking.” Ben told him.

 

“I want to adopt again. We should have it easier since we’ve already done it with Hunter, and this way Jenny doesn’t feel like everyone else got things she didn’t. I don’t even plan to touch the savings we have. I’m going to talk to Justin about restarting Rage again. I mean, we stopped when Justin’s career became busy, but people are still buying the old ones, and comment all the time that they wished we’d continued. Plus think of all of us sitting around complaining together about what our children are doing to turn our hair gray. All of us celebrating together the way we used to party together. Don’t you miss those nights…” Michael stopped when Ben got up, leaving the room and then not even not coming to bed. 

 

Michael slept like shit and ended up oversleeping, only to find out Ben left and with only an envelope sitting next to Michael’s cereal box. Michael read it, not agreeing with what Ben wrote, then wondering why Ben would be angry about having another child together. When the door opened later that night, Michael decided not to talk about it, but he thought Ben was being ridiculous. 

 

“You’re angry because I wanted us to have another child? That I thought that having a great father like you was wrong for any child? So you wrote this instead of just saying you don’t want us to have children?” Michael threw at Ben as he put away his things.

 

“When did you decide you wanted to adopt again? I want honesty here. Because a child isn’t something you do on a whim.” Ben tells him.

 

“After Hunter, I thought about it, but…” Ben cut Michael off.

 

“No, you didn’t. When Michael?” Ben asks.

 

“I guess when Jenny found out Emmett and Drew were adopting too. Don’t you miss when Hunter needed us?” Michael asks.

 

“I want to explain to you why I left you at the dinner table last night. Why unless something changes, you can go to Pittsburgh tomorrow and do whatever you plan to do.” Ben tells him.

 

“Ben, no matter what you thought you knew, I married you because you were the one that gave me what no one else could,” Michael tells him.

 

“No. I gave you what Brian wouldn’t. And we had the life you dreamed of, yet it never seemed to be enough for you.” Ben tells him.

 

“It is enough, and a child would only make it better,” Michael tells him.

 

“A child you want only so all your friends have a reason to include you. Not once did you talk about how ‘this child’ would complete our family. Just how to use the child so you could have everything Brian is giving Justin. I’m not Brian and you aren’t Justin. What they do shouldn’t mean we have to do it. The funny part about it is that I would love to adopt again. I would love to be able to do everything for a child with you. Only that’s not why you want to do this. You know what, maybe I should just get you a dog instead.” Ben tells him, leaving Michael feeling smaller than he’d ever felt.

 

“I think Ben is done with me.”  Michael texted.

 

“Then show him he’s wrong. Make sure he never doubts you by deed or words.” Justin answered.

 

“I don’t think anything will be enough this time,” Michael answered.

 

“Be like your best friend the day I met him, and show Ben that for you being with him will never be enough because you want more,” Justin replied.

 

“I’m sorry for acting like an ass about Max,” Michael answered.

 

“Don’t be sorry. Just make sure our son knows Uncle Mikey isn’t the asshole he can be. But hey, I’m getting a kitten too, so once again, I win!” Justin answered.

 

“Of course you do Boy Wonder. Thanks for not flying here and kicking my ass.” Michael wrote.

 

“I will if you need me to. But it would be better if you just loved Ben for the amazing man he his. I know I fantasized a few times that I’d like him too.” Justin sent.

 

“That’s why I refused to let him pose naked for you because Brian couldn’t compete with Ben!” Michael answered.

 

“Make sure he knows that for you he never has. Night.” Justin sent before kissing Brian.

 

“Still trying to save the day twat?” Brian said, tossing Justin’s phone.

 

Michael expected Justin to ask something, but it was like he knew what Ben wrote in his letter. Michael stayed on the couch all night, rereading the words Ben wrote, knowing he needed to find a way to change what Ben would know. Ben came out when he woke up and quietly walked by a sleeping Michael. Maybe it was stupid, or maybe he just needed confirmation that Michael once again went to Brian. Only for once to be surprised at seeing Justin’s name as the person he’d texted.

 

Max stood in front of the big shelf at the grocery store along with Billy and Colton. They were supposed to get what they wanted? Max wanted it all, but he looked at the cart then to the shelf. Maybe they should have gotten another one. Emmett was buying food to thank everyone who was coming over the next day to help decorate and put together Billy and Colton’s rooms. Brian and Gabriel had gotten permission for them to spend more time with Emmett and Drew after they completed their first class. Sabrina approved what sounded like a custody agreement until they finish counseling, while Gabriel arranged for all the home studies to be done. Emmett and Drew had done the rooms to impress, but now it was time to do the rooms the way the boys wanted them too. Of course, the whole family was coming over to help, even though Drew and Emmett could have hired professionals.

 

“Pa, what happens to the cookies I don’t take?” Max asked.

 

“Someone else will probably buy them. Or when we need them we’ll come back to get them.” Justin answered as seriously as he could.

 

“Uncle Bri needs Oreo’s again.” Billy told them.

 

“Maybe we should get both you and Brian each one, since you two sneak out together to eat them.” Justin teased.

 

“Hey, he needs someone to save him he told me.” Billy tells him.

 

“Please. Big Bad used to tell everyone Michael left them before Justin showed up. Then somehow it was all Justin’s fault for years.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Em, can I get the kind we cook?” Colton asked.

 

“Do you want to do it from scratch?” Emmett asked, loving how much Colton loved to cook.

 

“I likes the pizza you make too.” Max tells them.

 

“You like any pizza.” Billy said, running off to get the crust and all the other stuff.

 

“It’s hell to be the caterer when you throw the party.” Emmett said, laughing at everyone coming over to his house to help do the boys room.

 

“If you didn’t tell everyone you and Colton wanted to cook, you know they’d bring more than any of you could or would eat.” Gus reminds him, throwing three packages of cookies into the cart.

 

“I like the ones with big chips.” Max tells Gus, who lifts Max to get them.

 

“You want to help Billy get stuff for the pizza?” Colton asks Gus and Max.

 

As they all went off to help, Emmett continued on, trying not to react as if this hadn’t become normal for them.

 

“It’s like everyday something gets easier doesn’t it?” Emmett asked Justin.

 

“Then one day, it’s just our life.” Justin told him.

 

It wasn’t like it was perfect. Colton didn’t deal well with Billy not being able to help him with school work, even when he liked Hunter. Gus got angry when another student joked that he liked picking up the strays of the school. Billy getting mad at Colton who accidentally knocked Max over when he ran in front of him. Jenny having to get on all the boys for inviting everyone to a party but one girl, who invited everyone but Jenny to her party. Then there was the name issue. Billy and Colton over the month just followed Jenny’s lead and Brian was Uncle Brian, yet Justin was Uncle Pa. Other than shortening Emmett’s name the boys hadn’t wanted to change it. When they did, as Justin said, it would be the next step in their lives.

 

 

Chapter 14 by starlight

Max didn’t get why Pa and Dad looked like Nana wasn’t any fun when Pa was told to go to the other room to help paint. Dad just wanted to see how small the closet was. But maybe it was because Auntie Em already told them all the closets were perfectly fine in the house. Max wandered off to see if he could have a cookie, since all the things he could do were done. He liked seeing how happy Colton was when he got to help Auntie Em, and the cookies they said were still too hot before had to have cooled down by now. Auntie Em winked and put cookies and milk on the table since someone had to make sure they made them right. Max agreed, so did Dad when he grabbed two and sat with Max.


“Got thrown out again?” Emmett asked.


“Justin got an idea and once again I’m being tossed out for distracting him,” Brian smirked.


“I was going to ask if you guys wanted us to keep Max tonight since Gus was going to stay over too,” Emmett asked.


“Do you want to stay here tonight?” Brian asked Max.


“What happens if I need you and Pa?” Max asked.


“Then Auntie Em will call us and we’ll come to get you,” Brian told him.


“We’re going to camp out in the living room. Billy and I will be there if you need us too.” Colton tells him. Max nodded, knowing he could wake them if he needed to.


“Well Colton, all that’s left is to wait for everything to finish in the oven.” Emmett tells him.


“Want to go tell Gus and Billy we get to have you here too?” Colton asked, ready to go play with everyone else.


“Okay.” Max tells him, finishing his cookie and drinking his milk.


Brian cleaned Max up before going to the door and making sure Gus saw him coming out, then returned to have Emmett handing him coffee, and sitting with him.


“If you want we can take Max with us tomorrow too. Drew’s team got together and wanted to have a family day with the team.” Emmett told him.


“Emmett, this is something for Billy and Colton, something that’s about your family. I know we’ve been doing things to try to include all the boys, but for once Billy and Colton need it just to be about them and you two. We have the rest of our lives to do things together.” Brian tells him.


“Why not just say you don’t want Max gone any longer than he has to be.” Emmett teases.


“It never eases either, but damn if they aren’t the best parts of our lives,” Brian tells him.


“Is Max going to be it for you two?” Emmett asks.


“If the twat finally wants a daughter, who knows.” Brian shrugged.


“Yeah I want a daughter, that’s how it works right? Cookies me, daughter me, yet somehow you're the one finding ways to get them.” Justin tells him, sitting down.


“What were you doing upstairs?” Emmett asked when Brian and Justin stared at each other without saying anything.


“Colton mentioned he likes astronomy. We could do the room like that since I’m off. As he gets older you can change it or I’ll help if he wants to keep up a theme.” Justin tells him.


“Billy really didn’t seem interested in the decorating.” Emmett tells them.


“He doesn’t at our house either.” Brian tells him.


“Drew told me it didn’t mean anything.” Emmett tells them.


“Max doesn’t care right now, but it’s just because it doesn’t interest him.” Justin tells him.


“Like it never interested Justin, no matter how many years I’ve tried.” Brian jokes.


They all turned their heads when Jenny walked through the door, muttering about not wanting to play right now. She’d been all over the place with her emotions since coming back. It killed them all that she didn’t want to talk about what was upsetting her. And Michael was only saved because he was across an ocean and not answering his phone right now. Deb was threatening to fly over there and slap some sense into him for the way Jenny returned. Lindsay and Mel couldn’t get anything out of her, and the rest of them did as Hunter suggested and were waiting until Jenny was ready to talk.


“She wasn’t this upset when she came back.” Justin told him.


“Does anyone know what’s been going on?” Emmett asked.


“I didn’t ask, but he talked to Justin.” Brian told them.


“I didn’t ask him as we agreed. It was only advice based off what we all know.” Justin tells him.


“What did you two agree to?” Emmett asked.


“I’ll go check on her.” Brian told them since he knew Jenny’s moods worried Gus.


“You don’t have to tell me if it’s something you two didn’t want to talk about.” Emmett told Justin when Brian left.


“It’s something you're going to do too, with the therapist who is going to make sure this is right for all of you. They aren’t just preparing you for problems that could arise with the kids, but making sure that as a couple your commitment is just as strong. Brian dealt with his aversion to therapy because having another child was more important. We had to be honest about everything, even things neither of feels causes problems with each other. Our kids need stability, and lying wasn’t going to give it to them. Gus wasn’t living with us or would have even understood the problems that would have affected him, the way Max will. Both of us talked about the past and what we each felt and things each of us thought led to the things that happened, and if we had found resolutions or did it still sometimes cause problems.” Justin told him.


“I can see why Brian wouldn’t be thrilled with this part.” Emmett told him.


“I won’t go into detail about it because that’s between Brian and me. One of the things that came up was how each of us felt about our relationship with Michael when it didn’t involve both of us. It was eye-opening that Brian was actually jealous of Michael taking my time away from him. I was jealous of how for years Michael was the one he confided in more than me. The therapist asked us both how that related to our other friends, and we really couldn’t name one. Brian half-assed it with the time you kissed me outside Babylon.” Justin tells him.


“And this led to you both deciding how to deal with Michael?” Emmett asks.


“It was more that we both agreed that we wouldn’t involve ourselves in Michael’s life or us involving him in ours, to avoid problems. We took the month to define the boundaries that were acceptable to both of us when it came to everyone’s part in our lives, how we planned to raise a child, the kind of rules we both agreed on, and as a time for ourselves to do things having a child won’t give us.” Justin tells him.


“I didn’t think about it that way, that it would be about more than understanding Billy and Colton.” Emmett tells him.


“There’s no counseling that will do that, they're a work in progress. We’re providing a stable base to help them become who they will be.” Justin tells him.


Brian managed to find Jenny sitting in Drew’s office, spinning in a chair. He’d backed off as far as he could, not wanting her to bottle it in the way he and Mel did at times.


“You want to tell me what’s going on with you?” Brian asks.


“I’m fine.” She told him, crossing her arms and reminding him of Michael.


“Are you angry at me?” Brian asked.


“No… Maybe… It’s not your fault, even though I want to blame you.” Jenny told him.


“It wouldn’t be new to me if you did,” Brian told her, sitting in front of the desk.


“They think I didn’t know everything wasn’t as great as they pretended it was while I was there. When I sort of jumped on Dad it was like everything was okay. But it all went south when Dad heard about Billy and Colton. Now if I call it’s like they’re never together, since I have to call each of their phones to talk to them.” Jenny tells him.


“Are they upset that you call?” Brian asks.


“No, it’s like always,” Jenny tells him.


“Then that’s really all you need to worry about,” Brian tells her.


“Mama said the same thing, but it hurts when I see all of you happy and my dads not,” Jenny tells him.


“You know we’re here for you just like we are for all the kids in this family. No matter what happens, this family will make sure you have everyone you want in your life.” Brian tells her, waiting for her to agree with him.


“I know and maybe it sucks that once again I’m the only girl at the party tonight.” She tells him, hugging him and leaving a little happier.


“DAD, help!” Max squeals, running past the office giggling.


Brian went out to save Max, not giving in to the old feeling of wanting to save Michael. Max gave him rewards. He wanted to save Max.



Chapter 15 by starlight

Billy wandered around the house after they got back from the picnic with the team. It was weird how normal it seemed to everyone. The other kids acted like Billy and Colton were just one of them. Everyone treated them like they belonged, yet Billy still had the fear he’d wake up back in the system. Colton and Max were getting more and more comfortable, yet he still couldn’t get comfortable enough to let go completely and believe, even though they’d all done everything they could to make him believe. He could see the hurt in Em’s eyes when he wasn’t interested in decorating his bedroom. He didn’t mean to hurt any of them with his lack of interest, but he’d spent his life living out of a bag or whatever he was given to pack his life up. Having more things just meant there were more things to be left behind. And while he knew in his head that Emmett and Drew wanted him, a lifetime that had shown him differently made it harder for him to let go. While he knew Em and Drew would understand as best they could if he explained it to them, he felt like they’d be hurt by his lack of trust in them. It’s why talking to Uncle Brian was easier, because it was like he understood why Billy thought the way he did. 

 

“Hey, did you have fun today?” Justin asked when Billy looked into Colton’s room.

 

“Yeah. I didn’t know you were coming over.” Billy told him, sitting on the bed as Justin was sketching on the walls.

 

“It’s hard for me to resist a canvas once an idea gets in my head. If you think of something you’d like, let me know.” Justin told him.

 

Billy stared at the sketch pad Justin always seemed to have somewhere around him. He’d never asked to see it, because Justin hadn’t told Billy he could. He’d looked up Justin on the internet one day, curious about him, only to find out he was actually really successful as an artist. Billy wasn’t a art fan, so it intimidated him a little, the way Drew had at first.

 

“I sketched a few ideas in there. See if you think Colton would like them.” Justin told him.

 

“He’d probably like anything you do. Not many kids can say a famous artist decorated their room,” Billy told him, not reaching for the sketchbook.

 

“I hope the only thing that makes it special is that he wanted it this way,” Justin told him.

 

“Colton’s pretty easy to please.” Billy told him.

 

“What about you? Your room doesn’t have to be painted just because I wanted to do it. Emmett would be more than happy to do it any way you want.” Justin told him, handing him the sketch pad.

 

“I didn’t try to like anything,” Billy told him, happy he could stare at the pad.

 

“It took me a while to decorate my first apartment when I move to New York too,” Justin told him, getting up and going back to work.

 

“Why?” Billy asked.

 

“I had spent five years not really having one place to live, mostly going from one place to the other. Brian and I weren’t always together like we are now, so sometimes I lived with him, sometimes with Deb, and a few times with others in the group. It was easier to have the things I needed fit into the bags I could carry.” Justin told him.

 

“I get that.” Billy said, looking at the way Justin drew Emmett, Drew, Colton, and him sitting together on a blanket in a yard.

 

“Brian finally got tired of my lack of furniture and dragged me shopping for more than a futon he hated,” Justin told him.

 

“Why didn’t you live with your mom?” Billy asked.

 

“At first because my father expected me to live the way he wanted me to. I wanted to go home, but it wasn’t one anymore for me. My mom tried and I tried, but my father wanted it his way. I didn’t want my sister to have to deal with what my coming out to my family would have been like if I stayed.” Justin told him.

 

“If one room looks like any other, than I won’t miss it. It’s stupid, because all of you keep proving over and over that Colton and I are part of the family, but…” Billy told him, thinking Justin would understand it.

 

“There isn’t anything stupid about it. You can’t help feeling something that years of experience makes you feel. I grew up having everything I could have wanted, only to find out it didn’t fit into my life even if I wanted it to.  Brian, Emmett, and I all understand fear for our own reasons. Me because I didn’t know where I belonged anymore.” Justin told him.

 

“Why would Emmett?” Billy asked.

 

“Why don’t you ask him, I think he’d like to share something with you.” Justin told him.

 

“I don’t want him think I’m still scared of everything.” Billy told him.

 

“It would hurt him more that he can’t help you.” Justin told him.

 

“He and Drew are already doing a lot for us,” Billy told him.

 

“It’s not how they see it. Like Brian and I, there’s no such thing as enough when it comes to our family.” Justin told him.

 

“Would it be easier if I come in and tell you what Justin was talking about?” Emmett asked.

 

“I can come back later.” Justin told Billy, who nodded.

 

“This is going to be great when Justin finishes it.” Emmett told Billy, as Justin left the room.

 

“How much did you hear?” Billy asked.

 

“Enough to know you're trying as hard as you can, and that you think you’d hurt Drew and me if you told us everything isn’t as great as we want it to be,” Emmett told him.

 

“I want to be like Colton and Max, but it’s not easy when most of my life was spent not getting the things I wanted. Every day there are new people becoming important to us. I only had to make sure Colton was okay, that the important things to us didn’t end up being left behind. I trust you guys because everything you do tells me that I can and should. But it’s like I’m still trying to protect myself from everything.” Billy told him, not sure if it made any sense.

 

“It makes sense to be scared. I grew up in a close family, but also a closed-minded family. I spent my life getting ready to be alone, because I knew once they found out the truth about me, nothing about me would matter to them anymore. Living that way meant spending years scared of what would happen and the fact that my family was going to disown me. It made it hard for me to believe that the people I surrounded myself with wouldn’t end up disappointing me too. I didn’t want to let people in, because the people who should have loved me anyway didn’t in the end.” Emmett told him.

 

“Now you don’t feel that way.” Billy told him.

 

“It took my friendship with Brian, Ted, and Michael to get me to that point. We all fight, get angry, and at times want nothing to do with each other, but if any of us needed each other our family was more important than things that we didn’t like about each other. I still had problems not wanting to believe in people, and it took time for those fears to disappear completely. It takes time for anyone to overcome something a lifetime has taught you, but you have all of us to show you we’re here to help you with it too. You also never have to be afraid of hurting us by telling us anything, because it’s part of being family for me.” Emmett told him.

 

“It’s why I don’t want to just call you Dad, because it’s too important, even though in my head you already are,” Billy told him.

 

“Em, Emmett, Hey You, Dude, you can call me whatever you like as long as it makes you happy.” Emmett teased.

 

“‘Mine’ works too,” Billy told him.

 

“Drew and I like ‘Ours’,” Emmett told Billy, wrapping his arms around him.

 

 

Justin stopped by Mel and Lindsay’s house to grab some things Gus needed, since he wanted to hang out with Brian tonight. Mel answered looking frazzled, leaving Justin to get what Gus wanted. He knew they’d been busy lately with the GLC, and Jenny being upset, so he only planned to grab and go, only to see Lindsay standing outside Jenny’s bedroom, looking worried.

 

“She came home fine until Michael called to tell her he was coming home to see her, without Ben. Mel and I tried to tell her that sometimes relationships need a break, and it didn’t mean they were breaking up. I tried telling her about Mel and I, how things weren’t always perfect but in the end we made it. Only to want to kill Michael for telling her Ben was angry because Michael suggested having more kids. She thought it was about her since they’d been off the whole time she was visiting.” Lindsay told him.

 

“She probably blames us too, since she doesn’t know the problems have always been there between Michael and Ben from the beginning,” Justin told her.

 

“What problems?” Jenny asked, opening the door.

 

“Things they let go of, because they loved each other.” Lindsay told her.

 

“I don’t blame you and Uncle Brian, or Auntie Em and Uncle Drew, but it feels like my family is falling apart while everyone else's is getting better. I’m mad at my Dad for running away instead of fighting for Daddy. How does being apart make it any better? Dad always talked about how you wouldn’t go away even when Uncle Brian didn’t want to put up with you, but he’s doing the opposite. Not even getting that it worked for you.” Jenny said, looking exasperated that Michael wasn’t doing what worked for Justin.

 

Lindsay and Justin tried to not looked amused, since this was important to Jenny. They both went into the room and sat down, trying to think of how to explain to her they both made the same kinds of mistakes too.

 

“There were times when Mama and I couldn’t be in the same place. You weren’t born the first time it happened, and you were just born the second time. We didn’t see a way around the problems we had, so it was easier to be away from each other. It helped even when it hurt for us to do it, because we couldn’t talk to each other without blaming each other for everything. I can’t give you guarantees that your dads will work it out, but if they love each other the way I love Mama and she loves me, they have a chance.” Lindsay told her.

 

“I want Dad to see that living through Uncle Brian is the problem,” Jenny tells her, too wise for an eight-year-old.

 

“Brian and I weren’t perfect either. That running away issue happened with us too. A lot of it happened before you, and by the time you would remember we’d grown up and made it work. It is easier to work things out when you're together, but only if both are willing to see what they did wrong instead of using what the other person did as a reason to stay mad. Ben and Michael have problems, the same as all of us.” Justin told her.

 

“But shouldn’t he have done that by now? Grown up?” Jenny asked. 

 

Lindsay and Justin didn’t have any advice for that comment since it was something they couldn’t figure out either.

 

“All we can do is make him work it out on his own. Because sometimes what we're doing to help isn’t the right thing for the people involved because it wasn’t what they really wanted.” Lindsay told her since she made that mistake herself when it came to Brian and Justin.

 

“In the end, it’s up to the couple to overcome things if they really want to be together. I know Brian and I both got the life we wanted in the end, and now have two great sons and you.” Justin told Jenny, silently acknowledging Lindsay’s apology for something he’d already forgiven her for.


Chapter 16 by starlight

Max wasn’t sure about Michael. It wasn’t because he wasn’t nice to him, it was just that he sat in the corner when Grandma Deb and everyone else was eating. Gus said Michael was pouting because no one asked him what was wrong. Max didn’t get what was wrong, when the rest of the family was having fun. Maybe it was because Jenny didn’t sit with him, the way the rest of them were with their parents. Max wondered if maybe Michael didn’t understand he was supposed to be happy because Max was now adopted, and so he asked his Pa about it. Dad got upset hearing it and told Max that Michael was jealous because Dad and Pa found him first, glaring at Michael.

 

Carl, by this point, was tired of Michael sitting there acting like everyone was wrong for being happy. While they all worried about what this meant to him and Ben, everyone stayed out of it. Michael didn’t get that they all had their own lives to live and no longer planned to let Michael’s drama affect their lives and children. Deb called Ben, not to yell but to make sure he was okay, only to find out Michael had left without even telling him. Ben told her the truth, not Michael’s version of what caused it all, and Carl had to stop Deb from wanting to slap Michael for running away. Instead she had planned a dinner to celebrate Brian and Justin’s adoption of Max, and followed her other boys lead by not getting involved. Normally Carl left it alone, but for once Michael needed to understand that if he couldn’t be here to show his support the way they all did for him, then he could go sit at home, while the rest of them celebrated the occasion. Carl got up, telling Michael he wanted to talk to him, which only had him looking around him, waiting for anyone to notice he was upset. Michael got up, and when no one even looked in his direction, walked out the door with Carl.

 

“Michael, today was about Max, not you. Why come here if all you planned to do was make Max’s day miserable?” Carl asked.

 

“I didn’t want to do that, but how am I supposed to feel when my life is falling apart and I have to watch them get everything I wanted. I’m sorry that I can’t pretend for everyone when I’m losing everything they once all made fun off.” Michael told him.

 

“Well if it bothers you so much why come today?” Carl asked.

 

“Since I’ve been home, they all seem to be too busy for me.” Michael told him.

 

“They were busy. They each have careers, children, and their partners that have to come first. Which means your problems are the least of their concerns.” Carl tells him.

 

“It doesn’t mean they can’t at least check to see if I’m okay.” Michael mumbles, as the door opens and Emmett comes outside.

 

“Hey Carl, Deb wants you inside.” Emmett told Carl, deciding to explain some things to Michael.

 

“Go home Michael, if you can’t show your friends support.” Carl told him, walking in the house, when he didn’t see the point in trying to talk to Michael.

 

“What?” Michael asked, when Emmett sat on the step, not saying anything.

 

“I’m here, tell me what the problem is, since you obviously aren’t planning to solve it for yourself.” Emmett told him.

 

“Why now, because you can’t avoid me now with excuses for how BUSY you all are?” Michael asked him.

 

“Now because you’re ruining my sons’ night and our family’s night. In case you don’t know, we have all been busy wanting to do everything to make sure Billy, Colton, and Max are settling into their new lives. Which means none of us have time to worry about a grown man who should be able to take care of himself. I didn’t call you because Drew and I are busy doing everything we can to have Billy and Colton live with us permanently before the adoption can be done.” Emmett told him.

 

“It doesn’t take that much to adopt a kid.” Michael told him.

 

“It does if you want to do it right. Which Drew and I do, after hearing how Justin and Brian did it. They’ve managed to make the transition for Max easier, and themselves stronger as a couple. Just like them, I want to make sure Drew and I are giving them parents they deserve.” Emmett told him.

 

“While forgetting we’re friends.” Michael told him.

 

“Like I said, I’m here talk.” Emmett told him.

 

“Shit, I don’t even know how Ben and I got to this point.” Michael told him, sitting down. “It’s like since the whole Paris thing I can’t do anything right in Ben’s eyes. He got mad because I didn’t jump up and down over all of you guys adopting kids, then got pissed when I suggested we do it too.” Michael told him.

 

“I didn’t think you and Ben planned to have more.” Emmett told him.

 

“We never really talked about it, but when he was still pissed at me, he told me he would have liked to have another kid, then acted like it was wrong because I suggested it.” Michael told him.

 

“Michael, there’s more to it.” Emmett told him.

 

“He made it sound like I only wanted to do it so we’d have kids in common.” Michael told him.

 

“He made it sound like it, or you pretty much spouted how it would give us something in common?” Emmett asked, as Colton came outside wanting to be with Emmett.

 

 

“Max wants to see and cut the cake.” Colton told him, pulling Emmett’s hand. “Come on Dad, I want to show everyone how we decorated it for Max.” Colton begged.

 

“Michael, remember the busy thing, well once again, I am.” Emmett said, leaping up to wrap Colton in a hug. 

 

“Um Dad... Cake in the house.” Colton told Emmett, when he was squeezing the life out of him.

 

“I know, but you just called me Dad.” Emmett told him.

 

“I just thought… it was time.” Colton said looking up at Emmett.

 

“Why? Not that I care, because it makes me happy.” Emmett told him.

 

“Max said he didn’t get why we called our daddies by their names. I mean I know you both were okay with what we used, but it’s stupid to deny what you and Daddy are to us.” Colton told him.

 

“If Billy still isn’t ready then that’s okay too.” Emmett told him, forgetting all about Michael.

 

Michael sat there feeling completely abandoned by everyone, turning when the door opened again a couple minutes later seeing Jenny and Max. Max was concentrating hard on not dropping the cake in his hand. Max wanted Michael to have some of his cake, and Jenny agreed to help him when Max insisted as everyone tried to talk him out of it.

 

“I brought you a big piece.” Max said, holding it out to Michael.

 

“Thanks. Sorry to be a party pooper.” Michael told Max.

 

“It’s okay, sometime you’s just sad. I know because I was sad a lot until my Pa found me.” Max told him.

 

“I’m glad you’re not sad anymore.” Michael told him.

 

“Why’s you sad?” Max asked.

 

“Because I don’t have the things I wanted.” Michael told him, not sure what to say to a five-year-old.

 

“That’s why I’m happy, all I wanted was someone who loved me. Maybe you should find someone like that.” Max told him, getting up and going inside to get his cake.

 

“Easier said than done.” Michael mumbled.

 

“I’m breaking one of my promises to Justin right now. But understand something- I’m not doing this for you, but so that my son doesn’t ever have to sit at another celebration with you acting like a shit.” Brian told him, sitting down.

 

“Sorry, I can’t change how I feel just because it would make everyone happy.” Michael told him.

 

“You can change anything you want, but YOU have to do it. If you expect us to help, then you might as well end it with Ben, because your partner should be the one you go to, not us.” Brian told him.

 

“I should still be able to talk to my best friend.” Michael told him.

 

“Sure you should, but Ben isn’t here.” Brian told him.

 

“What?” Michael asked.

 

“I’m not your best friend. The day I committed to Justin meant that our friendship changed. Because Justin is the person who means the most to me. If you don’t believe that, then think about the last few years and you’ll see that my life has revolved around him, not you or the rest of our friends. It took us going to therapy together when we decided to adopt for us to realize that we couldn’t have three people in our marriage if we wanted to have a family of our own. My friendship with you caused issues between Justin and I in the past, because instead of trusting him to love me and support me, I went to you. We didn’t blame you for our problems but saw where there were issues because we could be honest that we didn’t know how to talk to each other at the time. One thing we learned in therapy was that we can’t solve anything unless we do it together and to be honest with each other even if it’s not what either of us wants to hear.” Brian told him.

 

“What if Justin wanted to end the relationship?” Michael asked.

 

“I wouldn’t be a country away from him. Instead I’d fight for him the way he fought for me. I’d find out what the real problem was and work at solving it, because losing Justin isn’t an option for me. I know you seem to think the only reason I do anything is because Justin wants it, but you always forget something; you’re the one who told me I wouldn’t do something if I didn’t want to do it. I married Justin because WE wanted it, we made it work between us while he was in New York because WE both wanted it. We adopted Max because WE wanted him. Everything Justin and I do is because it’s what WE want. We work through everything together because it’s what WE want. It’s time for you to think about what you and Ben both want versus what you do, because you both need to figure out if you want it together. Now... I’m going to make sure my sons are enjoying that fact that we are now the family we wanted to be. Then I’m going to make sure Billy and Colton have what my sons do, because that’s what makes our families happy.” Brian told him, getting up before heading back inside.

 

“He thinks our problems are because of you.” Michael told him.

 

“Then you aren’t hearing him, because I left your marriage the day I married Justin.” Brian told him, going in.

 

Brian opened the door to find Max standing there waiting for him. “Maybe Pa could give him his sun smile.” Max told Brian.

 

“Pa saves them for you, and people who deserve them.” Brian told Max, picking him up.

 

Justin turned to smile at Brian and Max. Max was happy that he and Daddy deserved them.

 

 

Chapter 17 by starlight

Billy and Colton tried not to act like it was a big deal that in a month they would be not just living with Emmett and Drew but that Gabriel managed to get the adoption approved as well. Emmett, of course, threw a get together to celebrate the news. Deb and Jen threw Emmett out of his kitchen and recruited Justin, Blake, and Lindsay to help since the others were useless in the kitchen. Brian dragged everyone else to help watch the kids, while Ted let everyone know that the surrogate they hired announced she was pregnant after the first try. Michael did better this time and congratulated Ted and Blake while grumbling in his head that once again everyone got what they wanted but him. Michael had figured out in the last three months that they all expected him to deal with his problems on his own. Ben was at least calling every night, but he was still distant when he talked to Michael. Ben seemed to only call to make sure everything was okay with Jenny and Hunter, not asking Michael if he was okay.


Michael knew he screwed up explaining to Jenny what happened between him and Ben, but he just didn’t get what the real problem was. He kept reading the letter over in hopes he could figure out how to make this right with Ben. Ben didn’t get that Michael might love Brian, but he knew Brian wasn’t going to return his feelings. Michael just didn’t want to lose what little parts of Brian he could have. He didn’t hate Justin, but yes he was jealous of the things Brian did for him. Michael’s real problem came from the fact that Ben respected Justin while he was once again left feeling like Justin was better than him. Seeing how happy Max was to be around Justin and Brian wasn’t any fun since he remembered how hard it was with Hunter at the beginning, and the fact that they had a better relationship with Gus and Jenny than he did. Michael didn’t get it. How did Brian and Justin end up being better parents on top of having a better relationship than he and Ben? It didn’t help that Jenny blamed Michael for everything and Hunter told him, after reading the letter, that all he had to do was figure out what Ben had really been saying to him. Didn’t everyone get that he had never been good at helping himself?


Max didn’t like seeing his Hunter and Jenny sad, but everyone kept saying not to worry about it. Max didn’t understand why Uncle Michael didn’t do like his dad did, and find ways to keep his Pa smiling. He asked Hunter if maybe Uncle Michael needed one of his Pa’s sun smiles, and Hunter laughed. Gus rolled his eyes, saying Pa’s smile is likely one of the problems in Michael’s eyes. Michael got up from behind them and walked over and sat with Molly since she didn’t really talk to him, and that was at least normal when nothing else had been since he got back.


“Little man, for once I think my dads would do better if they didn’t have everyone helping them,” Hunter told him.


“Daddy said Uncle Michael couldn’t find his way out of a doorless house,” Max said, hoping someone could explain why that would be so hard.


Billy tried not to laugh since he felt bad for Hunter and Jenny, but all he could think was Uncle Michael obviously didn’t get that he needed to just talk to Uncle Ben. Billy didn’t get it, because Emmett and Drew fought once in a while, but neither of them left until they solved it. They also made sure that Billy and Colton understood it had nothing to do with them, it was just adults acting like idiots. Billy liked that they weren’t perfect and the fights weren’t huge, just them disagreeing on something stupid like the pool Emmett wanted to be built at the house, while Drew wanted it separated from the house. They both laughed when Colton told them why not just build a house over the pool area and skip the bickering, sounding like Uncle Brian. Billy wondered why they all seemed to back off helping Uncle Michael since they didn’t do that with anyone else and waited until Uncle Brian and he had their late night talk to ask about it one night.


“We spent most of our lives hovering over Michael, and I think that’s half his problem right now. He doesn’t want to see the problem could be him and not Ben. Ben deserves more than us interfering when Michael should be the one who works for what he wants.” Brian told him.


“Jenny thinks Michael is jealous of Pa,” Billy tells him.


“If he worked as hard as Justin did for the things he wanted then he wouldn’t have a reason to be jealous. Michael only sees that Justin gets respect from everyone, not that he earned it for being who he is. It’s why Michael didn’t stand a chance of ever being more than my friend.” Brian told him, smiling.


“Dad feels that way about Daddy Em, and Daddy Em doesn’t mind that Dad seems to like Pa,” Billy tells him, laughing when Brian growled jokingly about Drew liking Justin.


Billy missed the nightly talks until he found Drew waiting for him last night, and like Uncle Brian, Drew didn’t talk down to Billy either. Billy just worried because Grandma Deb mentioned to Daddy Em that maybe this time Uncle Michael really screwed up. Billy wanted even the sour-faced Uncle Michael to be happy like the rest of his uncles. He didn’t like Jenny being sad, which was really what bothered Billy the most. Billy wanted to see her happy and having her dads together was what she wanted. Billy saw Michael get up to go inside after talking to Justin. Billy relaxed when Justin went to cheer Jenny up.


Michael made the call Justin suggested, telling Michael it was time to do something other sit on the fence. Michael almost hung up thinking he had the wrong number since the guy who answered Ben’s phone in the middle of the night wasn’t Ben. There was a fumbling noise and the guy telling Ben to wake up since he had a call. Michael saw red... here he was trying to figure out what to do to get Ben back and the bastard was fucking around.


“Michael is everything okay?” Ben asked, worried since this was the first time Michael called him.


Ben got up off the couch and went to his bedroom, realizing he’d fallen asleep discussing the idea he and Saul were planning to write. He’d meant to tell Michael that Saul’s wife suggested Ben stay with them while they worked, but Michael hung up before he could tell him.


“Are you kidding me, no it’s not fucking okay! Was this really the reason you’ve been acting like you didn’t want me anymore?” Michael screeched.


Ben was slightly confused about why Michael was pissed since it didn’t make any sense to him. “You're the one who left, instead of agreeing to therapy,” Ben told him, not sure why Michael blamed him for Michael taking off.


“Is that what you call what that guy is doing with you in the middle of the night… THERAPY!?” Michael yelled, loud enough for everyone outside to hear him.


“We’re working on the book that I told you about, or did you not listen to that either?” Ben answered, not sure what to make of what sounded like Michael was jealous.


“Right! You’re writing a book in your sleep and the guy just happens to be close enough to just hand you the phone! I think I need to write a book since I’ve been sleeping alone, after seeing the fucking therapist you wanted me to see.” Michael yelled, hanging up. Not even feeling guilty that he lied about the therapist.


“That’s a new way of referring to tricking.” Brian snickered.


“Brian Kinney-Taylor, behave,” Jen told him, rolling her eyes as all the other guys cracked up with him.


“I’m jealous Mommy, it sounds like writing a book could be fun.” Brian joked.


“We could do a self-help book since we know everything there is to know about tricking,” Justin tells him, trying to keep a straight face.


“I can’t believe you guys are joking about my pain. None of you have a clue how hard being married really is.” Michael told them.


“We don’t ignore our problems, so it makes it easier,” Emmett tells him.


“Or you adopt kids to copy Brian and Justin, instead of getting the baby you constantly told all of us Drew really wanted.” Michael lashed out.


“Michael Charles Novotny, shut your mouth,” Deb told him.


“I’m just telling the truth. Drew wanted a baby, instead, he gives in to what Emmett thinks he wants, only because Brian and Justin did it. What a joke, since Brian only adopted the kid to keep Justin happy. Brian didn’t even want Gus when he was born, and now he’s stuck with another kid because he can’t say no to Justin.” Michael ranted, not caring what he was saying.


“Michael that’s enough,” Mel told him, as Brian, Emmett, Justin, and Drew went to check on the kids.


“I told the truth, even if they don’t like what they heard!” Michael shouted.


“No, you shouted what your real problem with Ben is. It’s not that Emmett and Drew decided the age of their child didn’t matter when Billy and Colton came into their lives. It’s also not Brian fault that he wants everything Justin wants and no longer has time to worry about what’s wrong in Michael’s little world. We’ve all agreed not to get involved since we learned from you how little it helps when you thought we all needed your advice. But you know what, I’m tired of my daughter being upset because her fathers are too busy blaming everyone but themselves for the problems in their marriage.” Mel told him.


“Like you used to blame Brian.” Michael smarted off.


“Used to, yes, but you know what Lindsay and I figured out? In the end, Brian had nothing to do with us as a couple, and more to do with an easy way out of dealing with the fact that we didn’t talk to each other. Ben told me about the letter, and while I agree he’s put up with a lot from you, he obviously KNEW it was there and let it fester. I agree it would hurt to see my first love being happy with someone I couldn’t begin to compete with. Only what you don’t seem to get is there is nothing for you to compete with, because Ben doesn’t love Justin, but you. And one last thing you need to know, Ben is staying at the same house as the other writer and the guy’s WIFE. Something he told Jenny. He also told Jenny he loved you and planned to come home next week instead of staying away since he missed you. So instead of making everyone else deal with you, see the therapist that you lied to Ben about and start fixing your problems before no one wants to deal with you. If you love Ben you’ll do what it takes to make it work, the same way Brian did what he could to make sure Justin never doubted him.” Mel told him.


Michael turned, not seeing one sympathetic face behind him, and knowing he’d been an asshole for yelling at them in front of the kids like that. He walked out after apologizing to Jen and Deb, knowing right now none of the guys would listen to him.  


“I think he needs a cookie,” Max told Brian.


“I think you want a cookie,” Brian told him.


“I think maybe you should like get a case and have one of our talks with Uncle Michael,” Billy told Drew and Brian.


“We’d rather talk to you,” Drew told Billy.


“I can make brownies, instead,” Colton told them.


“Or we could have the cake since we all ate the good stuff first like Nana says we have to,” Max told them.

Emmett stood with Drew as the boys took off, not letting Michael’s words mean anything to them.


“I think we should go ahead and plan that trip to Disney.” Drew told him.


“I’ll let Justin know,” Emmett told him, not letting Michael’s words mean anything to him either.


Chapter 18 by starlight

Justin wasn’t going to disagree with Brian’s decision that Michael was no longer to be included in family events. Emmett and Drew felt the same way. They all felt lucky that the kids didn’t let Michael’s rant upset them. Deb didn’t try to talk them out of their decision. Instead she understood they were protecting their children from Michael’s mouth. All that was left was to explain the decision to Michael. It wasn’t that they wanted to exclude anyone, but their children weren’t going to have to listen to Michael’s ‘oops I didn’t mean it’ after saying things that could have caused problems with the kids. Ben agreed, and wasn’t happy to find out that once again Michael hadn’t seen any therapist, just said he did, thinking it would solve something between them.

 

In the end Brian and Emmett decided to be the ones to explain to Michael about his exile from events with their kids. Ted came along since eventually his child could be affected by motormouth Michael. Michael, on the other hand, thought his friends were finally seeing that they needed to spend time with him and planned to use it to get them to help him with Ben. Michael was at the diner a couple of minutes early, just happy his friends were finally realizing he needed them. Brian came in with Emmett and Ted, all hoping to get this over and done without having to explain it a hundred different ways to him.

 

“Guys, I saved us our usual booth!” Michael yelled, waving them over.

 

Michael looked confused when Brian didn’t sit next to him but across from him with Emmett. Even Ted grabbed a chair and sat on the outside of the booth. It wasn’t until Deb slid into the booth that Michael started to wonder what was going on.

 

“Ma, this is kind of for us guys.” Michael told her.

 

“Actually it’s about you and your behavior lately. I felt since I’m probably to blame for half the problems the guys have with you, I needed to be here.” Deb told him.

 

“I said I was sorry about getting upset the other day.” Michael told them, looking for one of them to say they forgave him for spouting the shit at the party.

 

“I’m going to say what I have always said, sorry’s bullshit Mikey. In the past we let this go, but not now.” Brian told him.

 

“Drew and I won’t put up with you hurting our sons. You crossed a line with us.” Emmett told him.

 

“It’s not like I said anything that wasn’t true.” Michael told them.

 

“The truth based on what you think you know, based on things that are no longer the truth in our lives.” Ted pointed out.

 

“It hasn’t been true in a long time. All of you grew up.” Deb commented. “Something Michael refuses to do, even if he ends up losing Ben over it. Think about it Michael. Think about what you are doing to the one man who is willing to love you even when you disappoint him over and over. You keep acting like you don’t understand what’s wrong with you and Ben, but the truth is you don’t care.” Deb told him.

 

“I love Ben.” Michael protested.

 

“Do you? Then why does Brian’s life with Justin and his children seem to be a problem for you? It has nothing to do with you. My life with Drew and my sons doesn’t affect you either. But instead of worrying about Ben, you said shit that could hurt our kids. We can talk until your ears bleed, but none of us want to waste the time anymore. We also don’t want you around our children unless something changes with you. It’s the reason we came here today; to tell you that when it comes to our children, we’re unwilling to let you continue to be around them.” Emmett told him.

 

“You can’t be serious! It’s not like I meant to hurt them.” Michael told them.

 

“You’re lucky they didn’t get hurt by what you said, but we aren’t willing to let it continue. Unlike Ben, you’ve managed to cross a line with us.” Brian told him.

 

“Did Drew and Justin make this decision?” Michael asked.

 

“No. Justin has always stayed out of all decisions when it comes to you. It’s something he always felt I needed to do on my own. Because he understood that at one time you meant a lot in my life. It’s just Justin, Gus, and Max mean more to me than you ever will. And Justin understands me in a way you never could or did. And because I love him in a way I never could love you. I’m a better man because of the things that Justin gave me, and every day I become a better father because I no longer live in my past. It’s time you stop trying to relive our past, because it makes you less and less a part of any future in my family’s life.” Brian told him before getting up. Deciding he wasn’t going to waste his time here when Gus and Max were waiting at home.

 

“Aren’t you going to follow Brian the way you seem to be doing lately?” Michael asked Emmett, hurt that his friends could treat him this way.

 

“I’m going to go home in a minute and get dinner ready for the boys that I WANTED more than a baby, yes. Before I do I think you need to hear something that seems to puzzle you about why Ben was angry at you and how you ended up hurting Jenny once again with your thoughtless words.” Emmett told him.

 

“Emmett, let him figure it out for himself.” Ted told him, kissing Deb before leaving Emmett to do what he was determined to do.

 

Deb got up, letting Michael deal with his own problems, not sure if anything Emmett would say would change her son’s unwillingness to help himself. “Call me if you need any help with the boys.” Deb told Emmett, kissing his cheek.

 

“Come over anytime, since the boys love having you there.” Emmett told her.

 

“Well, are you going to tell me what you think you know?” Michael asked, wondering how Emmett could think he knew anything about Michael’s relationship with Ben.

 

“That letter Ben wrote you, it told you everything. Yet for some reason you didn’t really bother to read it. Justin gave you a clue, yet you ignored it. So maybe nothing I say will make a difference. Instead of reading the things Ben knows, you spent more time trying to make sure it never changed for him. Ben would love to have another child, something you ranted about over and over you were willing to do; yet you didn’t want to do it for the right reasons. Ben would love a child with you. Not so you have something in common with Brian again, but because he loves being a father. Which isn’t how you seem to see it. For you it’s about wanting to have a life similar to Brian’s. Which isn’t possible because Brian loves Justin in a way you don’t love Ben. Brian makes decisions with Justin. Decisions that have nothing to do with you or any of us. Like the decision Drew and I made about Billy and Colton. Which had nothing to do with Brian adopting Max. While we both wanted a baby it wasn’t because the age mattered to either of us, it was because as gay men, adoption wouldn’t be easy for us. Surrogacy would get us the result we wanted faster. Fate got in the way, and instead I met two boys who broke my heart that they weren’t being loved the way they should have been, and a baby wasn’t as important to us anymore. So maybe you were right in a way. We are adopting Colton and Billy because of Brian. Only we didn’t do it because of Brian the way you want to, but because we found our sons the same night Brian and Justin found Max. At no time did either Drew or I see it as a way to connect our lives with Brian or Justin. We saw it as our family finding us. My boys will know Drew and I waited all our lives for them. Not that they were a connection to a life that we’d leave behind if it hurt them. Brian and Justin proved over and over to us they were willing to protect our sons as well as theirs, and in less than a couple of minutes you tried your best to hurt all of us. Because you’re angry that we’re happy and you’re not. You’re angry at us for wanting to care for our children instead of you. You’re angry at Ben because he’s no longer just going along with what you want, not once asking yourself what he wanted. He should have written that letter on toilet paper with as much as you bothered to read it. So here’s what you missed while sitting here pissed that we all have lives outside of yours. Ben wants to be important to you. He wants to know that you don’t feel like you settled for him when Brian fell in love with Justin and not you. He wants to know that loving you wasn’t a waste of his life because you still won’t let go of Brian or what you wish you could’ve had with him. So you can waste your time hoping we’ll fix it or actually get off your ass and do the work for yourself in your marriage. If you really love him you’ll do what you need to do. Which we’ll make easier because we aren’t going to be there to help you this time.” Emmett told him.

 

“He thinks a shrink will fix this.” Michael told him.

 

“Only if you’re honest with the therapist and with Ben, about everything. You can’t pretend your problems away if you want to work this out with Ben. Strangely enough, your best friend could tell you it wasn’t easy to hear that a lot of issues he and Justin had were because he listened to everything but Justin. It’s time you stop worrying about everything but Ben’s words he wrote to you when you hurt him again. The way you accused Justin of hurting Brian years ago. It’s past time for you to give Ben what Brian only ever wanted to give Justin; everything that Justin deserved for loving Brian.” Emmett told him, getting up.

 

“So everyone is just giving up on me?” Michael asked.

 

“No. We’re just doing what has to be important in our lives. Which puts you closer to the back of the line, since our partners and children deserve to be first in our lives. I for one plan to take my children and give them the world. Brian plans to make sure Max always knows he’s completely loved and wanted, the way Justin did for him. Ted is about to make his mother’s wish come true along with his own with Blake. All that’s left is you. Are you going to lose the one man who can deal with your bullshit? Or are you going to lose him because he will never be Brian for you? Which is kind of a joke since Brian would never put up with what Ben has for you.” Emmett told him.

 

***************************************************************************************

 

Gus wandered up to Justin’s studio while Drew made lunch for everyone. Colton was watching over the preparations since Emmett joked that anything more than a sandwich was more than Drew was capable of. Billy took Max outside to play since he admitted that he missed being around Max everyday. Which left Gus wanting to talk to Pa about Jenny and her dad. Right now Gus wasn’t happy with Uncle Michael, but that didn’t matter as much when he seemed to not get he was hurting Jenny by hurting Ben. He didn’t get that Gus wouldn’t be as forgiving if somehow it ended up hurting Max, Billy, or Colton too. 

 

“What’s on your mind?” Justin asked, as Gus stood at the door instead of coming into the studio.

 

“Jenny, Max, Colton, and Billy.” Gus told him, walking in and sitting next to Justin.

 

“The boys didn’t really seem to be bothered by what Michael said, was Jenny?” Justin asked.

 

“She’s more worried about losing Ben right now, and ready to give up on Michael the way everyone else is. Which she said, not me.” Gus told him.

 

“We aren’t giving up on Michael. It’s just he can’t be around you guys if he says things that can hurt you.” Justin told him.

 

“What about Ben, is he still welcome?” Gus asked, since that was Jenny’s greatest fear. That Ben would leave because he felt like no one wanted him around.

 

“What do you think?” Justin asked him.

 

“I think Ben loves us and that’s all you want, for not just me, but my posse.” Gus told him.

 

“You know Ben is going to love them too, so he’s always welcome in our lives. Which you need me to tell Jenny, since she isn’t listening to anyone right now. We aren’t banning Michael from our lives, it’s just we aren’t going to let his mouth hurt any of you. Which it did because you’re just as upset as your dad and moms are about what Michael said about all of us.” Justin told him.

 

“Mama said she signed on to raise Jenny, not ‘Uncle open mouth insert foot’,” Gus told Justin.

 

“I’m sure she asks herself everyday why she asked him instead of Justin, but then we wouldn’t have our Jenny would we? Lunch is ready.” Drew told them, leaving them and planning to make sure Jenny knew she could count on Drew and Emmett to make Ben welcome in their lives too.

 

“I’ll be down in a minute.” Justin told Drew and Gus.

 

“Thanks Pa.” Gus told him, knowing Justin was going to make things better for Jenny.

 

Justin picked up his phone, debating, then dialed, not doing it for anyone but Jenny.

 

“Justin?” Ben answered.

 

“When are you coming home?” Justin asked.

 

“In a couple of days. Although I don’t think Michael is going to like the reason I’m coming.” Ben told him.

 

“Right now he isn’t winning any sympathy from us either. I’m more worried about Jenny right now. She thinks she’s going to lose you.” Justin told him.

 

“That won’t happen, she’s my daughter.” Ben protested.

 

“She needs to hear that from you. And since we plan to include her and the girls on a trip with us, it might help her to see you there too.” Justin told him.

 

“Where are you guys going?” Ben asked.

 

“Brian’s nightmare. Emmett and Drew  got Gus and Max on their side, so Brian gave in because it’s what his boys want.” Justin told him.

 

“Who all is going?” Ben asked, not sure if he could put up with Michael.

 

“Pretty much everyone but Michael. But only because the guys got together and decided Michael went to far the other day.” Justin told him.

 

“Count me in, and let me tell Jenny, okay?” Ben asked him.

 

“Tell her if she has anything she needs to talk about, the whole family is there for her and you.” Justin told him.

 

“Thanks. I guess I needed to hear it too.” Ben told him.


Chapter 19 by starlight

Ben wasn’t sure if he had done the right thing when he agreed to leave Michael behind and go with everyone else to Florida. The only reason he agreed was that nothing else was working to get Michael to see that all he was doing was alienating everyone. Michael didn’t seem to understand that Ben would have agreed to another child if he’d been asking because, like his friends, they all wanted children for the right reasons. It was also because Ben could no longer go on trying to be happy with what little Michael was willing to do to make their relationship work. 

 

Jenny’s emotional well being was what decided it all. Ben came home to find his daughter worried about things that had nothing to do with her. Ben never wanted Jenny to take on the burden he married. He knew no one understood why he kept trying with Michael, but love was strange like that. Ben could have moved on from Michael and saved himself from the headache the man was to everyone in his life, but there were also good parts that kept Ben from letting go. Not that he could actually name them right now, but he had a week before he would see Michael again, and his only plan was to make sure his daughter was happy. 

 

A sweaty Brian laid next to Justin since the mom patrol took the kids out for the day while the blond made up for forcing Disney on him again. Justin was smirking when Brian fell next to him. Which made Brian want to wipe that smirk off until Justin was in a sexual coma. Brian sort of felt bad for not taking Max out on his first day in the magic kingdom, but Molly let him know throughout the day that Max seemed to be having a great time with her daughters. Needing a drink Brian got up, followed by an always hungry Justin getting up to raid the refrigerator. While Justin did that Brian checked again with Molly, who sent pictures of Max smiling while sitting on Gus’ shoulders. Brian already made plans for everyone to eat together and then watch the fireworks later that night. He agreed to let Emmett and Drew have a day alone tomorrow while he braved hell with Justin and family.

 

Brian ignored the phone calls from Michael, who was actually pissed at Brian for including Ben and not him. Brian wasn’t going to help Michael this time, any more than he’d already tried. Michael couldn’t seem to understand the relationships that Brian, Ted, and Emmett had with their partners. Likely because he didn’t want to believe said partners meant more than a friendship that changed as each of them fell in love with men who understood them. Michael, on the other hand, seemed to want to believe the only reason any of them did anything with their partners was a mystery. Of course, Michael believed that Brian was incapable of commitment, love, or anything else except being the Stud of Liberty Avenue. Brian wasn’t incapable, he just hadn’t found anyone worth giving it all up for, until a blond stood under the streetlight and didn’t let Brian walk away from what said blond could give him. 

 

“We should go and check on Max,” Brian told him, willing to forgo round three for his son.

 

“That means we spend today and tomorrow in the park,” Justin warned, wanting to see Max and Gus having fun.

 

“Then tonight you have to make up for the nightmare that is Disney over and over again,” Brian told him before dragging them to get dressed before heading out to find their family.

 

Emmett was ready to sit down on something that didn’t hurl him side to side or up and down. Of course, he kept on going because Billy, Colton, and Gus were having fun. It was the only thing that kept Emmett from begging for a cosmo after each ride. Drew was busy taking pictures of Emmett hamming it up for the kids while looking forward to their day alone tomorrow. Even though he knew that just like Brian and Justin, they’d end up showing up to watch the kids anyway. Drew smiled as Max came skipping along with his fathers, and suggested they all go get something to eat since the kids were excited and forgot food in it all. Drew decided to go check on Ben when Lindsay let him know Ben took a break from the heat, returning to the hotel. He knew Brian and Justin were worried about Ben, but in keeping to their agreement about not getting involved, were only willing to support Ben, but not get involved in the mess Michael was making with his own life. While Drew wasn’t sure if Michael was worth everything Ben put up with, that was up to Ben. Drew just knew it hurt all the guys that the family wasn’t whole. He also knew nothing could be done if Michael didn’t straighten his ass up about the kids and learn that his opinion wasn’t welcome when it came to the families of his friends. 

 

Ben opened the door of his room, looking distracted, but it seemed it wasn’t over Michael but the newest book he was planning. 

 

“Sorry, I got this idea for a book and wanted to get some ideas down before I forgot,” Ben told him.

 

“It’s fine, everyone is taking a break for lunch anyway,” Drew told him.

 

“I felt guilty about leaving Jenny,” Ben admitted.

 

“She’s having a great time with Mel and Lindsay. Plus I think the girls are planning on asking you to watch the fireworks with Jenny later while they spend some time alone.” Drew told him.

 

“It’s just good to see her happy and not worried about other things,” Ben commented.

 

“How are you really doing?” Drew asked.

 

“Did you get nominated to deal with me?” Ben joked.

 

“No. They’re all staying out of it. I just thought you might need a someone outside of it all to talk to.” Drew answered.

 

“You’re not exactly unbiased when it comes to Michael,” Ben told him.

 

“I’m not going to say I like him, but I do understand loving someone even when no one else gets why you do,” Drew told him.

 

“A lot of my friends don’t get why I keep trying with Michael,” Ben told him.

 

“Why do you?” Drew asked.

 

“Because love isn’t something we have a choice in, and for me loving Michael isn’t a choice. I just do. He’s nothing like I expected when I thought of the kind of person I would love.” Ben told him.

 

“What kind of person did you think it would be?” Drew asked.

 

“Someone intelligent like Justin. Not that Michael isn’t smart, it’s just that he sometimes doesn’t really understand what I’m talking about. I also saw a man who was caring, like Emmett and Blake, which Michael can be unless he feels like someone is taking something he wants away from him. I also wanted someone driven to succeed like Ted and Brian. Michael doesn’t really work for anything in his business. He just expects people to show up, the way he did when it comes to comics. In a way, I guess you could say everyone that surrounds Michael. Only I don’t love any of them, just Michael, flaws and all.” Ben answered.

 

“Even when the flaws are the reason you can’t be with him right now?” Drew asked.

 

“I can’t be with him because he doesn’t see anything wrong with how he acted around all the children. I’m angry at him for upsetting our daughter, who thought she’d lose me because he doesn’t think before he rants around her and everyone else. The truth is, right now I don’t want to see all the reasons I should stay, but the reasons I’m considering letting go of him.” Ben told him.

 

“Do you see any way to fix it?” Drew asked.

 

“Only Michael can fix it right now,” Ben told him.

 

“Then do yourself a favor and enjoy your time away and forget about all the things waiting for you at home. It’s going to be there when we get back, and sitting here by yourself isn’t going to change anything right now.” Drew told him.

 

“It hurts to know that Michael isn’t here with us,” Ben told him.

 

“Because of his own choices. Although the guys put the conditions out there, in the end, it was up to Michael to do something in the three weeks to show them he understood why it was happening.” Drew told him.

 

“Which I don’t get. Max, Billy, and Colton just add to the family. I’m jealous that all of you have these great kids, but I count myself lucky that they want me in their lives. I know Michael doesn’t hate the children but it’s like he can’t see past his jealousy of his friends doing something that doesn’t include him. He doesn’t see that Max would love to play with him, or that Colton likes comics, or that Billy wants him to be a good father to Jenny, not caring if he likes Billy at all. I mean, he has the chance to be part of it all with you guys but only sees the differences.” Ben commented.

 

“He doesn’t like change unless it means everyone’s attention is still on him. It’s what I noticed from the first time I met him. He supports everyone, yet gets upset when they do something he doesn’t know about or agree with. It’s why he kept reminding Emmett all the time he could count on him and not on me.” Drew told him.

 

“He didn’t count on Emmett loving you more than him,” Ben told him.

 

“He also didn’t count on the fact that while you still love him and likely always will, that you weren’t going to be the one who fixed what was wrong. Which I can see you're trying to do.” Drew told him, seeing that Ben’s book idea was really all the things he hoped could work to fix his marriage.

 

Ben looked down at the papers, realizing once again he was trying to fix Michael. But also knowing that unless Michael would open his eyes to the things that were driving everyone away from him, he would lose his friends. Ben knew Hunter had stayed behind not because he had classes to teach but because he was worried about Michael and the distance opening up between the man and everyone who loved him. 

 

“It doesn’t matter what I tell myself, I still want to find a way of helping him,” Ben told Drew.

 

“I’d be the same way if Emmett and I were dealing with what you are.” Drew agreed.

 

“The only difference is that Emmett would be in it with you, not waiting for you to figure it all out for him,” Ben told him.


Chapter 20 by starlight

Max sat outside his dads’ room waiting for them to take him to breakfast. He knew he should be asleep but everything here was so exciting and Auntie Lindsay told him he could tell everyone about his trip for show and tell. Max had never had anything to show on those days and he wanted his dads to be proud of him. It was also exciting that he got to stay up later than normal, and while the fireworks scared him a little, they were still really neat to see. Pa recorded it for him to show to his class, and told Max that in the morning they’d record the things they did. Tomorrow was his day with his dads while Nana took the twins out so Auntie Molly and Uncle Jason could do whatever it was his dads did yesterday. Max wanted to ask but Gussy told him that wasn’t really something any child ever wanted to know. Gussy laughed so Max figured it wasn’t bad, plus he got distracted when they got on the next ride. Disney wasn’t what his Dad said, his punishment for loving Pa. Max figured it was a grown-up joke since Dad laughed when he said it. Max leaned on the wall, knowing his dads wouldn’t care if he came in, but he could wait for them. Being alone didn't scare him anymore, because he knew his family surrounded him. That was Max’s last thought before he curled up and promptly fell asleep even though he didn’t think he could. 

 

Brian got up, not sure why, but decided to get something to drink. He opened the door to find his son curled up on the floor dead asleep with Mickey Mouse ears on his head. He knew Max had been excited and full of energy when they came in and hoped that Max dreamed of all the fun things he did. Brian bent down picking up Max, who barely stirred as Brian carried him to the bed where Justin was dead to the world. As if knowing in his sleep he was safe he snuggled onto Justin’s back and stayed asleep. Brian used to wonder what the big deal was about being in love. Now every day he spent with Justin it became a bigger mystery why he had fought it so hard. Which somehow led him back to Michael. There was a time he thought he’d always love Michael. Not in the way he loved Justin, Gus, or Max but that the bond would always be there for him.

 

Brian knew when he let it go. The day he and Justin sat in therapy talking about issues in the past and how they dealt with things now versus then. It was enlightening when a lot of their issues seemed to feature Michael in some capacity. Brian thought about the best things in his life and how it related to Michael. Meeting Michael gave him Deb, who in turn gave him Vic. Brian saw a beacon in the happy little family compared to his, and Michael treated it like his burden to bear. When Brian started making friends in college, he included Michael, and so did the friends. Only all Michael could do was complain about anything they wanted to do outside of what was normal for him and Michael to do. While at first, Brian wasn’t interested in having a kid, he made a promise and held up his end of the bargain, even though Michael made it sound like Brian was compromising his principles for Lindsay’s desire. Even at the hospital, Michael kept talking like Gus’ birth meant Brian needed to grow up. Only to let Brian do crazy shit on the roof, while Michael didn’t stop him. Brian knew when Michael’s world rocked on its foundation; it was the minute Justin walked into his life. It wasn’t like Brian had plans beyond fun when he met Justin, but like everything in life, not everything goes the way you plan it. Brian let Michael piss and whine about Justin being around, he didn’t defend Justin, and maybe that was why Michael saw his relationship with Brian as different. Michael didn’t get that Brian didn’t need to defend Justin, the twat could do that on his own. 

 

Brian thought about what Drew told him- Ben’s list of what he thought he wanted. The thing was, in the end, in Brian’s head Justin fit all the criteria. In a way, Ben would have been the kind of man Justin should have wanted. Which sometimes made Brian wonder if Justin ever thought the same thing. But Justin only seemed to see Ben as a brother, the way Brian saw Michael. 

 

Brian didn’t get why Michael let it get this far, it wasn’t like they were asking that much of him. They just wanted him to understand that their children weren’t going to be targets of his anger that things were changing. Brian couldn’t help Michael this time. Not just because of the promise he and Justin made, but because this time Max was involved and needed Brian more.

 

“What has you up when we’re going to be up in a few hours running around your personal hell?” Justin asked, sitting next to him.

 

“I woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep thinking of all the fun you're going to force me to deal with,” Brian told him, smirking.  

 

“And worried about everyone including Michael,” Justin said, getting comfortable.

 

“I’m happy,” Brian told him.

 

“And?” Justin asked.

 

“For years I was satisfied with just being content. Only this blond pain in my ass couldn’t leave it at that and now I’m HAPPY all the fucking time. I love the life we made, love the fact that I put our son in our bed, love the fact that no matter where we are you being in the same bed makes it our bed. How the fuck did I manage to get here?” Brian asked, not really confused about his happiness.

 

“What you’re really asking is why it seems like you and Michael changed places.” Justin pointed out.

 

“I have everything he wanted in life… shit, he already had. Yet I can be happy for him and he can’t be for me.” Brian told him.

 

“In Michael’s way he is, but not without turning into a drama queen first. Which when you think about it is in his genes.” Justin joked.

 

“It’s just, I supported him when he adopted the littlest hustler, I stood by him when he wanted Ben. Hell, I threw the wedding. Yet instead of giving me the same respect, he acts like I did something to hurt him because I fell in love with you and not him. It’s like he sits and compares what we are to what he feels like should be his. Only, I know the old shit he felt… The crush isn’t there anymore, because he never looked at me the way he did Ben. So why is he fucking up?” Brian questioned.

 

“Because Michael hasn’t ever really lost something enough to fight for it,” Justin told him.

 

“I’m not following,” Brian told him, which was unusual for them.

 

“Michael doesn’t understand how to fight for what he wants. Instead, he does stupid things like text me, and then ignore the advice I give him because it means he’d have to do the work. He’s spent his entire life having everyone smooth his path, and now he’s finding out that no one is willing to do that for him anymore. We don’t not just because of our promise to each other but because we won’t let Michael’s bullshit hurt our children the way he’s hurting Jenny. While trust me, I want to help him, which I completely blame you for, I can’t because Max and Gus are more important than Michael’s inability to accept that everything changes and that for once no one is going to hold his hands when our children need us more. It’s why Emmett is staying out of it himself. He knows that Billy and Colton, no matter how settled they’re becoming, don’t need to feel like there’s anyone in all our lives that doesn’t accept them. Which Michael’s words, no matter how much he doesn’t mean them, could do. It’s why I didn’t fight you on it. The boys might not have been hurt last time, but it doesn’t mean Michael won’t say something without thinking the way he’s always done that could make the boys feel the way I did when I still unsure of us.” Justin tells him.

 

“How do you still talk to him?” Brian asked, since there were a lot of things he could name that Michael said to Justin in the past that were unforgivable.

 

“Michael and I are friends, but we’ll never be… well, the way I am with all the others. We’re more like reluctant brothers. Michael tries, but in the end, it still puzzles him that we managed to stay together.” Justin told him.

 

“Why can’t he just open his eyes and see it in everything we do for each other?” Brian asked.

 

“Brian, we could be monogamous for the next forty years and Michael would still be waiting for the old Brian Kinney to break out,” Justin told him.

 

“He’s dead. Which happened the minute I saw a blond bombshell walking towards a streetlight.” Brian smirked.

 

“Actually, I think it happened in year three, on the steps of Woody’s,” Justin told him.

 

“Nope, I was still fighting it, but only because I didn’t need you getting smug that I fell in love with you so fast,” Brian told him.

 

“Really, why was that?” Justin asked crawling on Brian’s lap.

 

“I’d lost everything, at least my materialistic idea of everything, and yet you reminded me that I didn’t lose you. It wasn’t like I didn’t know you meant more to me by then, it was just that at that moment I stopped letting all the reasons you could do better than an aging club boy be all the reasons I pushed you away.” Brian told him, enjoying Justin grinding on his lap.

 

“Which doesn’t explain the fuck-off bet.” Justin reminded him, just because to this day it puzzled him.

 

“I might have reverted a little bit there but pride tends to make you do stupid shit. Plus I loved that he knew one name he couldn’t ever put on the list since he knew he didn’t have a chance in hell of convincing you to help him win.” Brian told him.

 

“I’d have twisted not only his balls but yours for that one,” Justin told him.

 

“I would have forfeited. By then I didn’t play games when it came to you. In the end, I didn’t care that I’d won. I’d lost everything that really mattered over stupid pride.” Brian told him.

 

“Not everything. Since I’m still here.” Justin told him, stroking Brian, only to stop after looking over his shoulder. “I love him, but his timing needs work,” Justin whispered, giggling as Max came over rubbing his eyes.

 

“Is it time to go yet?” Max yawned, climbing on the couch between his dads.

 

“How about we wait, since it’s three in the morning Sonny Boy,” Brian answered, picking Max up and carrying him to their room.

 

Billy got up wanting a snack since he’d been too excited all day to stop and really eat. Sometimes he missed Brian and their late nights together. It wasn’t like he couldn’t do it with Emmett and Drew, it was just somewhere along the way Brian became… a big part of his life. Emmett and Drew were the biggest and best. But Brian got him, Brian understood his walls and helped him see they weren’t healthy if he wanted to be a part of the family he never believed he and Colton could have. He knew Justin helped too, he showed him that being smart wasn’t something to be ashamed of. It was like he needed to have the time with Brian and Justin in order to be ready for the love Emmett and Drew lavished on him and Colton. With that thought in mind, he knocked on his dads’ door. Drew answered, looking worried to see Billy standing there in the middle of the night.

 

“Everything okay?” Drew asked.

 

“Yeah Dad, it’s actually pretty terrific. I just wanted to see if someone wanted to have a snack with me. Uncle Brian kind of got me used to it.” Billy told him.

 

“I’d love to,” Drew told him, following Billy to the kitchen of their room.

 

After getting cookies and milk, Drew sat across from him, feeling ridiculous at how good it felt that Billy wanted him to join him. 

 

“It’s weird you know, how I don’t feel like I’m doing something wrong when I get snacks in the middle of the night anymore,” Billy told him.

 

“It means you feel at home with us,” Drew told him, dunking his cookie.

 

“It’s just like this trip. I mean, I’ve been taken out to places, but even though Colton was with me, for the first time I feel included, not just part of a group.” Billy told him, wondering if it came out the way he meant it to.

 

“It’s how you feel when the people who love you take you somewhere.” Drew told him.

 

“Yeah, it is different when people love you.” Billy agreed.

 

“It’s what made me come back to Emmett. I wanted to be loved the way he loved me.” Drew told him.

 

“I’m glad you did because I would have missed out on two great dads if you’d kept your heads up your butts,” Billy told him.

 

“Brian’s rubbing off on you.” Drew joked.

 

“I like that he didn’t act like I was some dumb kid, just talked to me about anything I asked,” Billy told him.

 

“I’ve always liked how direct he is; with him, there was never any bullshit. Mind if I join you two?” Emmett asked, sitting down without waiting for an answer.

 

“Can I?” Colton asked, following Emmett’s example and sitting, as Drew grabbed two more glasses for his family. “Are we doing the Uncle Brian thing?” Colton asked.

 

“I thought maybe it was time we did the Boyd-Honeycutt thing,” Billy told Colton.

 

“We have a thing? Did you hear that Drewsie, we have a thing!” Emmett said, sounding way too excited for the middle of the night.

 

“Babe, we’re the Boyd-Honeycutt’s, of course we have a thing.” Drew teased, kissing Emmett’s lips.

 

“Is it weird that I kind of like our dads smooching?” Colton giggled.

 

“No, what’s weird is they act like they’re your age.” Billy teased.

 

“Umm… so can we talk about tomorrow? I mean what do we do with Nana?” Colton asked.

 

“Gus said she’s like a daredevil, so maybe she’ll ride the rollercoaster without screaming like Dad over there.” Billy teased.

 

“Trust me, if anyone can do it, Jen can. I used to think Deb was scary, but instead, she’s just loud. Jen, on the other hand, makes us all quiver in fear if she doesn’t like something.” Emmett told them.

 

“She treats us like we’re just like her grandkids, I like that,” Colton said, dunking a cookie just like Drew did.

 

“Deb feels the same way,” Emmett told them.

 

“Yeah, but she’s worried about Jenny, and Jenny needs that right now,” Billy told them.

 

“Sweetie, you know we’ll make sure Jenny’s okay don’t you?” Emmett asked.

 

“It’s just, she doesn’t have what we do, both our dads happy and together. I mean, neither of us has had that before, but now that we do we can both understand why it hurts her that her father can’t act like a dad.” Colton told him.

 

“Which isn’t our problem, and I don’t want it to become yours,” Drew told them.

 

“Jenny’s like our sister, and we’re going to worry because we want her to be as happy as we are,” Colton told Drew.

 

“It’s not like we don’t know why he isn’t around. You guys don’t like that he says stuff that might hurt us.” Billy mentioned.

 

“That’s part of it, but not all of it. All of us grew up and have lives of our own, and Michael doesn’t give us the respect we gave him. As a grown-up, I don’t like that he expects us to excuse him when he opens his mouth without thinking about what he says about people. I also don’t like that he treated Drew and my decision to adopt the two you as some whim that Brian made us do, instead of the fact that we wanted to be your dads, and have both of you show us the great people you’ll become.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Either way he’s the one that missed out since we’re at Disney and he’s not,” Billy told them.

 

After the boys went back to bed, Emmett couldn’t sleep and decided neither would Drew. Not that Drew minded the blowjob or all the other things Emmett thought of, which left them both downing coffee as they got the boys ready to go with Nana. Jen refrained from laughing when Emmett kissed her on the lips as if she was Drew, after kissing the boys before they left. She laughed even harder when she heard Emmett realize he did it.

 

“I sucked face with Jen?” Emmett asked, sounding suddenly awake.

 

“Any tongue Ma?” Brian asked, snickering.

 

“Four words Brian. Which you’ll never get out of your head if you say one more word about it,” Jen told him.

 

Brian sat there trying to think what four words could really be a threat. “So tongue?” He finally asked, willing to risk what Jen dished out.

 

“It’s a small world, Darling. Enjoy it.” Jen told him.

 

“Aww come on, you promised I’d never have to relive that nightmare again.” Brian pouted, willing if Max wanted to.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 21 by starlight

Ben looked down into the eyes that Jenny got from Michael and understood how Brian could be a slave to a set of eyes. Just like Brian, he couldn’t say no when they looked at him. Jenny was the best parts of Michael, and there were days Ben worried she’d also get some of the worst parts. Only, she understood things that her father couldn’t seem to grasp. Like at the moment she was happy seeing Billy and Colton getting the attention they never had and wasn’t upset that Gus was paying more attention to Max than to her. She didn’t have a problem with Lindsay enjoying spending time with Molly’s daughters, or the fact that Mel had to bow out today to deal with a client. No, for her it was enough that she was with everyone. Ben loved how the boys rallied around Jenny only wanting her to have as much fun as the were. 

 

“Can we talk alone?” Jenny asked him.

 

Ben nodded and they made their way to the ice cream shop, ready to get out of the heat anyway. Ben ordered and brought their treats to the table, wondering what Jenny wanted to talk about.

 

“You have the floor.” Ben said, as Jenny stayed quiet at first.

 

“What did it feel like when you fell in love with my dad?” Jenny asked.

 

“Why are you asking?” Ben wondered.

 

“I’m just curious. I mean, it seems like it’s different for everyone. Uncle Brian said it took him a long time to figure it out, and Em says for him it was just there waiting for him to accept it when it came to Drew. Uncle Teddy said for him love was there but the timing wasn’t right until it was. My moms said they knew from the minute they met. So how did you know?” She asked.

 

“When I first met your dad I just thought he was someone I’d like to know. For me it was a slow process, because there were things that your dad did that I couldn’t understand.” Ben told her.

 

“Like that he put Uncle Brian ahead of everyone?” She asked.

 

“Yes. Because it wasn’t something I would do. For me, friendships shouldn’t override the person I love. It’s fine to want your friends to be there, but not to the point where you can’t be happy for them and happy with your own life.” Ben told her.

 

“Is it bad that even though I love my dad I’d rather be here with all of you?” Jenny asked.

 

“It’s not on you that Michael isn’t here.” He told her.

 

“I know that, but I guess what makes me feel bad is that I didn’t want him here ruining things. He wouldn’t see how much this means to his friends. To be able to give their kids things they hadn’t really had all their lives, and how for them it’s not about what the Uncles are doing for them but about having a family. All I see is that now I’ve got more brothers to love me. And I don’t understand why he can’t see they'd love him too.” Jenny told him.

 

“It’s hard to explain because that’s something even I don’t understand about Michael,” Ben told her.

 

“It’s probably harder to explain why we still love him too.” Jenny said, wishing her father wasn’t such a mystery.

 

“I love him because for me he’s just the guy I fell in love with. I won’t change that, because I got you to be my daughter.” Ben told her.

 

“It’s the same for me, because my father gave me you.” Jenny told him.

 

“I don’t know if things will work out, but I’m going to try.” Ben assured her.

 

“If he doesn’t get it then he loses the best thing he ever gave me,” Jenny told him.

 

*******************************

 

Brian knew his life was going to be forever ruled by blue eyes. The eyes in question at the moment were Max’s pleading ones, wanting to go on ‘It’s A Small World’ again for the third time. Justin gave Brian a break and took Max, while Gus laughed as Brian couldn’t stop humming the blasted tune. Of course, Gus was able to run off to do things with Jen while Brian continued to give in to anything Max wanted to do. He rode freaking ‘Teacups’, and there was photographic proof as Lindsay took pictures he figured she blackmail him with eventually. The fact that Brian wanted Max to have a lot to show his class had nothing to do with it. Brian was about to give in again when Jen showed up and rescued him from the nightmare that was ‘it’s a small world’.

 

“Billy and Colton wanted to spend time with you. And I decided to let you out of your punishment for a while.” Jen smirked.

 

“If I’d kissed you there wouldn’t be any punishment.” Brina told her, taking off to hang with the boys.

 

Billy saved the ‘Space Mountain’ ride for Brian since Gus thought it would be funny to watch his dad scream like a girl. Brian really didn’t hate roller coasters as much as he protested, and managed to keep from screaming louder than the rest of the people around him. He was also willing to do anything to see Billy and Colton’s faces light up as they went from one to the next. He couldn’t wait to see how they liked his next surprise for this vacation. He’d made arrangements for the boys to have a private tour of Seaworld. Justin had laughed as Brian argued that if they were here the boys should get to do everything available before they had to go home. Actually, it was really for Jenny after she mentioned wanting to swim with the dolphins to the boys, who in turn told Brian. Brian felt ten feet tall knowing they didn’t doubt him. 

 

Justin got everyone together for lunch, needing to sit after walking all over and riding everything. He smiled as Drew and Emmett showed up, not able to stay away from their boys. They both looked relaxed and ready to spend the rest of the day with the boys. Lindsay took a picture of them in their own world.

 

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen them this happy.” Lindsay whispered, showing Justin the picture.

 

“Billy and Colton gave them the last thing missing in their relationship.” Justin told her.

 

“Just like having Max was what you and Brian were missing?” Lindsay asked.

 

“We were ready to share our lives and have you to thank for giving it to us.” Justin told her.

 

“After you wanted to rip my head off for Max being left at the museum.” Lindsay joked.

 

“In the end, it gave us Max, so thank you for letting him go,” Justin told her.

 

“Thank you from us too.” Emmett told her.

 

“For what?” Brian asked, bringing everyone else with him.

 

“For finding Max for us and Billy and Colton for Emmett and Drew.” Justin told him, hugging Lindsay, who was blushing.

 

Brian leaned down, kissing Lindsay just for being the friend she’d been all his life. Mel came in, rolling her eyes as everyone laughed. She no longer saw anything but the friendship Lindsay and Brian would always have. Mel smiled as Lindsay’s face lit up when she saw her. Mel felt like shit for taking a call that could have been handled when she got home, but instead of getting mad, Lindsay took off, wanting to help Max with his show and tell. They’d come a long way from their days of turning everything into an argument. It helped that Lindsay no longer felt the need to compare everything in their lives to that of Brian and Justin’s. Lindsay stopped feeling like she needed to be part of Justin’s success to feel complete. Instead she found her own way to be happy. 

 

“I have a surprise for Jenny.” Brian whispered to Mel.

 

“God help me.” Mel teased, loving Brian for seeing Jenny as part of his life.

 

“Since we’ve done everything here, I thought we’d go see something Jenny wanted.” Brian announced to the group.

 

“What?” Jenny asked, excited.

 

“I arranged for all of you to get a private tour of Seaworld.” Brian told her.

 

“Who told you I wanted to go?” Jenny asked, not wanting everyone to give up their fun for something she wanted.

 

All the boys raised their hands giggling as Jenny’s smile got bigger. 

 

“We’ve never been to the ocean.” Billy told her.

 

“It sounded like fun when you showed us.” Colton told her.

 

“Max likes to swim.” Gus told her, as Max nodded.

 

Emmett smiled as the boys were trying to make what Brian did as something about all of them and not just Jenny. It said a lot to all of them, that for them it was for their sister. Drew got up and went to help Brian get the food. The boys all sat at next table with Jenny to plan the rest of the afternoon.

 

“Sometimes I can’t believe it’s not just some dream I’ll wake up from.” Emmett told Justin.

 

“They’re yours. So it’s as real as it gets,” Mel told him.

 

“I want everything in their lives to be everything I wished my life could have been. Only now I don’t regret the life I had, because it got me here, with Drew and my boys.” Emmett told her.

 

“It’s what makes all the things that happened in the past not matter as much as what you have now. I don’t regret that I married Craig because that gave me Justin and Molly and being able to be a part of their lives. I would do it all again because I have two great kids and two more in their spouses. Craig misses all of this because he can’t accept that Justin could be happy with Brian and that Molly isn’t willing to raise her daughters to see anything wrong with the uncles who worship her daughters.” Jen told him.

 

“I don’t get being attracted to another man, but it’s because I’m not. It doesn’t mean I have the right to see anything wrong with it.” Jason told them.

 

“It’s why I love you, because you only see Brian and Justin as two people who love each other and as part of our growing family,” Molly told him.

 

“We couldn’t be happy without you in it.” Brian told Molly.

 

“Even if you were a brat, Mollusk.” Justin teased.

 

“Right Jester, I was the brat.” Molly teased back.

 

“Okay children.” Jen said, laughing as they stuck their tongues out at each other.

 

Colton came over and leaned on Emmett, wanting to be close to his dad. He liked seeing them all having a good time, and knowing that no one would act like he was bothering them. Emmett pulled Colton onto his lap as they ate and talked. It was such a small thing, but for Colton, it was showing him he’d found a family. 

 

“Wait, you know what this means?” Emmett asked, excitedly.

 

“What?” Colton asked.

 

“We need to go shopping for beachwear.” Emmett answered as Drew groaned good-naturedly.

 

“Brian.” Justin warned as he smirked looking at Justin.

 

“I see skimpy blue shorts in your future.” Mel teased.

 

“Nope. I don’t need to kill anyone for wanting to see my favorite parts.” Brian growled.

 

“But Daddy, Pa can’t help that people like his smile,” Max told him, smiling as everyone giggled.

 

****************************************************************************

 

Hunter stayed out of it as long as he could, but finally, he’d called Justin, wanting to know how Ben was really doing. Justin was vague, saying he didn’t want to interfere, but that Ben hadn’t given up on Michael, yet. Hunter knew Brian and Justin were staying out of this mess. But for Hunter, Justin was willing to offer what he thought of the situation. Hunter agreed with him that Michael hadn’t really ever had to fight for anything, instead having it handed to him by everyone. Which led Hunter to a problem, how to get Michael to get off his ass and doing what Ben needed from him. 

 

Ben wanted Michael to fix this but it’s not like the man had ever been good at dealing with anything. While it should be Michael doing this on his own, Hunter didn’t want to see his parents split up. Ben hadn’t been happy when Hunter told him he was too busy to go with everyone. It was the truth. Hunter had other commitments, but he also didn’t want Michael to keep screwing up his life. While he knew he should leave it alone, he loved Michael and couldn’t. 

 

Michael was sitting in his store trying to pretend his life wasn’t falling apart. He kept trying to figure out when him caring about his friends became a problem with Ben. It wasn’t like Ben didn’t know him, yet he acted like everything Michael did lately was wrong. Michael knew he acted like an ass around the kids, and in his head, if he wasn’t happy then no one around him should be either. Of all of them, Michael had the perfect life, yet he was the one who was losing everything. 

 

Michael came out of his thoughts as Hunter came into the shop. Seeing Hunter brightened Michael’s day since he hadn’t abandoned him. 

 

“Hey, what brings you here?” Michael asked.

 

“I wanted to see how you were doing.” Hunter told him.

 

“Still pissed that Ben is acting like nothing I do is right.” Michael grumbled.

 

“Name something you’ve done right since coming back,” Hunter told him.

 

“Why does everyone act like it’s anything new? I always say crap when I’m upset.” Michael told him.

 

“Because you said something that could affect their kids.” Hunter told him.

 

“It didn’t.” Michael said, trying to excuse his behavior.

 

“Only because Max, Colton, and Billy know their dads love them. You don’t get what it’s like when you have no one who gives a shit. You had something the rest of the guys didn’t have growing up- a mother who tried to give you everything and loves you even when you don’t make it easy. And trust me, you don’t make it easy when you don’t like something anyone else does.” Hunter told him.

 

“They never used to do things without telling me. And now it’s like I’m wrong because I got upset that they kept things from me ” Michael argued.

 

“Why do they owe you an explanation when it has nothing to do with you? Brian and Justin wanted Max, it has nothing to do with you. Emmett and Drew saw their future in Billy and Colton, which once again has nothing to do with you. And I’ll add Ted and Blake, who decided they were ready to be fathers. Which is something everyone can be happy about but you. Yet when you and Ben decided to take me in, they all were there, supporting both of you. Not once did they try to tell you how to live your life. They included me and never once said anything that would make me feel like shit, because they knew what it was like to feel unwanted or unloved.” Hunter told him.

 

“I… they…” Michael sat there unsure of what to say. Hunter was right, he had never had to live the way Hunter described.

 

“What you don’t get is the guys aren’t shutting you out for any other reason but to protect their kids from your need to prove they don’t have a right to have what you don’t. Ben isn’t here because he knows if anything is going to change YOU have to be the one to fix this. For the first time, I’m asking you as my father to make it so I don’t have to visit my parents separately. Ben still loves you, but eventually that won’t be enough for him to stick around. In truth, I’m angry at you for hurting Jenny with this bullshit. It’s time for you to get off your ass and figure out what should be more important to you, your friends' lives or your family- Ben, Jenny, and me.” Hunter told him.

 

“Ben, you, and Jenny are the most important thing to me. I love you, you know that.” Michael told him.

 

“I do, but I also know when Brian does something for Justin you stop thinking of us and act like Justin forces Brian into doing whatever he and Justin decide on together. Yet you’ll be the first person to say Brian wouldn’t do something unless he wants to. One thing I’ve noticed since I met Brian is there is no one in the world Brian loves more than Justin, and it’s the same for Justin.” Hunter told him.

 

“It wasn’t like that the whole time.” Michael reminds him.

 

“Which has nothing to do with now, or the fact that Ben isn’t sure he sees you as part of his future,” Hunter told him.

 

“How can we fix anything if he isn’t here?” Michael pointed out.

 

“He isn’t here because he needed to make sure Jenny knew he’d be there for her no matter what happened between the two of you. Does that make you feel good knowing that your ranting made Jenny think she could lose Ben?” Hunter asked.

 

“I didn’t…” 

 

“Mean it? Well whether you did or not, Jenny only heard what you said, and being her father, and a supposed grown up, she took it for granted that you wouldn’t say something unless you MEANT it. Which is also why all your friends decided not to let the words you say you don’t mean be said in front of their kids when they saw what it did to Jenny.” Hunter told him.

 

“What am I supposed to do?” Michael asked, starting to see why everyone was discluding him.

 

“Get off your ass and figure it out like an adult. For once, fight for what you want, which hopefully is the life Ben gave you.” Hunter told him, getting up to leave.

 

“I’ve tried talking to Ben.” Michael whined.

 

“Words don’t mean anything unless your actions show you mean them,” Hunter answered before walking out.

 

Michael sat in his shop the rest the day, knowing he needed help but also knowing it was up to him to do what it took. He picked up the phone and called the therapist he lied to Ben about seeing and made an appointment.

 

Chapter 22 by starlight

Max skipped along happily when his dads agreed to let him have breakfast at the dinner with Grandma Deb for his birthday. They planned the whole day around Max, letting him invite his whole class over for his carnival birthday party that Auntie Em and Auntie Molly had planned and organized for him. He was excited because he was finally going to meet Auntie Daphne today. She told Max she’d been waiting forever to meet him. 

 

Max ran in, ahead of his dads, in a hurry to see Grandma Deb, only to stop when he saw Uncle Mikey sitting alone in a booth in the back. Since they’d been back no one had seen him, and while Max knew Uncle Mikey had not been nice, as his Dad told him, Max was willing to love Uncle Mikey even when he wasn’t being nice. He hugged Grandma extra hard the way she liked and snuck behind her while she was talking to his dads, to sit with Uncle Mikey.

 

Michael looked up when Max sat down, worried since Brian decreed that Michael couldn’t be around the boy. Michael was having a hard time since everyone got back. Ben had been staying at the house but so far was still staying in Hunter’s old room, and working on his book. Michael knew Ben was still dealing with his selfishness, and it would take time for him to make it right. Michael was actually listening to the therapist he was seeing, and while everyone had told him the same things, somehow hearing it from someone outside of the group made him listen more. He could see how he had hurt his daughter by not thinking when he said the things he did. He wanted to find a way to make it up to the family he’d hurt with his jealousy, and yes, he was willing to admit that’s what it was.

 

He’d been having three sessions a week since deciding to go after talking to Hunter. It wouldn’t be solved overnight, but for the first time, Michael was going to put his family above everyone the way his friends were doing with theirs. So he didn’t want to cause more problems because Max didn’t seem to understand that Michael was the asshole in this situation.

 

“Hi. It’s my birthday, and my dads let me pick where I wanted to eat breakfast. If you want you can eat with me.” Max told him.

 

“I think your dads just want to be with you, but happy birthday. I hope you have a great day.” Michael said as Brian walked over.

 

“Grandma saved you a seat at the counter since she wanted to eat with you,” Brian told Max.

 

“You want to come with us?” Max asked Michael before Brian could take him.

 

“How about you just have the best birthday you can for me, and send Hunter home with a big piece of your cake for me,” Michael said smiling, hoping Max liked the present he was sending with Hunter.

 

“Okay, but it’s already the best because I have a family now. ” Max told him, getting out and going to the counter.

 

“You doing okay?” Brian asked.

 

“Working on it. Hopefully Ben will be willing to believe I love him again soon. I have a lot to make up for, to my family.” Michael told him.

 

“Yes you do, but it has to be about you too,” Brian answered. 

 

“I'm figuring myself out, and it's hard to like the things I'm finding out about myself,” Michael told him. 

 

“It's not easy finding that out, but it also keeps you from making the same mistakes again,” Brian told him, getting up to sit with Max, still not willing to do anything that would keep Michael from helping himself for once.

 

Michael sat for a moment, thinking about what Brian just admitted to; that there were things he didn’t like about himself. It made him realize how little he knew his best friend. Michael always thought that of all the people he knew, Brian was the one person who never really regretted anything he did and liked his life the way it was before Justin came along. Only, seeing Brian look at Justin and Max told him the myth was just what Brian wanted everyone to believe, to hide that he wanted more but was afraid to reach for it until Justin walked into his life. For the first time in Michael’s life, he stopped believing that without him telling them what he believed they couldn’t be happy. It should have been easy to get, but then Michael had to see that Brian gave parts of himself only to Justin and that Justin had become the real best friend, not Michael. Michael let that thought become a reality. Strangely, it didn’t hurt the way he thought it would, because he had that with Ben until he screwed it up. Justin looked over at Michael, and somehow Michael thought the shit just knew that he was starting to see the truth and then he gave him the smile that had changed Brian’s world.

 

Michael got up and was ready to stop living in the past. His future had been sitting in front of him waiting for Michael to stop acting like the past mattered more. He left the diner smiling, because he finally realized that being someone's friend didn't mean sacrificing your happiness for them, but letting them go to have what made you happy and hoping for them to have what you found. 

 

Ben was getting ready to go to Max’s party when Michael walked in. He hated the way nothing seemed to get any better with Michael. He was starting to wonder if maybe it was time to give up, no matter how much he loved Michael. Ben wasn't sure why he was staying anymore, which was a lie. He'd hoped with the time apart, Michael would see he was worth fighting to keep. When Michael walked in he stopped in front of Ben. 

 

“Don’t give up on me. I know you have every reason to, but I need my best friend.” Michael told him.

 

Ben let out a tired breath because, hearing those words, he thought nothing had changed. Michael was still holding on to a friendship that seemed to eclipse everything including Ben. Ben couldn’t live this way anymore, love sometimes just wasn’t enough.

 

Michael could tell Ben didn’t understand what he was saying, but that was okay because for once Michael was going to fight for the man who loved him. “I need the best friend who gave me everything I ever wanted. I need the man who proposed even when he knew I still hoped for something that was never going to happen. I need the man who loved me because for him I was someone more than Mikey, Brian Kinney’s best friend. I need the man who gave me the world, then put up with me acting like it wasn’t enough for me. My best friend gave me a son and supported me when I worried about my daughter. My best friend loved me, even when I didn’t make it easy on him. You supported me in everything and I spent years letting you, without realizing all along you are my best friend. I’m asking my best friend, lover, and husband, not to give up.” Michael said, waiting to see if there was still a chance.

 

Ben hated the moment of doubt that this might be about more than them, but he had to wonder why now, today, Michael was saying the things Ben wished he’d been able to say from the beginning of their relationship. “Why should I believe you?” 

 

“You shouldn’t, not until you see it for the truth. I have a lot to make up to you for, including making you feel like loving you came second or third to everything else in my life. Which it did, because I let it happen. I treated our marriage as if it didn’t mean anything, while you did everything to keep it together. You stood by me, yet I treated you like nothing you did mattered. You deserved better than me but loved me anyway, even when I didn’t give you any reason to think I could love you back the same way. Today I realized that I’ve spent my life saying my best friend was Brian when all along it was you. I spent years hating Justin for showing up and changing everything I wanted. Only I can’t because he led me to you.” Michael told him, still seeing the wariness in Ben’s eyes, so he continued. “I sat in the diner pissing and whining about my life standing still, while Justin fought to achieve everything he wanted, and that led me to open my store. Then I looked up and saw my future in a man who only wanted advice on comics. A man who didn’t roll his eyes as I went on and on about more than you probably wanted to know about the subject. You saw something worth loving in me, and continuously supported me when I wasn’t always right. I realized that my best friend wasn’t the man who I spent years telling everyone it was, Brian Kinney, but Ben Bruckner. I know saying this doesn’t fix anything, but I need you to know I love my best friend and hope he hasn’t given up yet.” Michael said, stopping.

 

“I don’t want to give up, but I need to know you really mean this,” Ben told him.

 

“I can only show you, and hope with my actions you’ll see that it’s the truth. I’m still dealing with my issues but I no longer have any doubt about where I belong and who I love.” Michael told him.

 

“I could stay at home if you want to talk.” Ben offered.

 

“No. Max deserves to have his family celebrate with him. Just let him know Uncle Mikey is glad he’s a part of our family now. Tell Jenny if she wants we can have a family night with her and Hunter, and maybe we should set up a weekly night for the four of us. I need to make it up to her and Hunter too.” Michael told him.

 

“I’ll do that,” Ben said, wondering if he was dreaming.

 

*************************************************************************

 

“So Dad, can we never go this overboard for a party for me?” Billy asked, looking around the booths and games set up to entertain a few dozen kids. 

 

Emmett smiled every time Billy easily said Dad to either him or Drew. He didn’t care how normal it was becoming for them, he’d always be thrilled to be a father. He looked around, and yes they did go a bit far, but in a way, this was a real first birthday for Max. Emmett also knew Drew would have to reel him in when it came to their boys birthdays, but for his boys, Emmett would.

 

“Your party is going to be what you want it to be,” Emmett told him.

 

“Yeah, plus I don’t have fifty people who’d even want to come to mine,” Billy told him, joking.

 

“Just with the family alone, you’d have close to that anyway,” Colton told him.

 

“Are you having problems with the other kids?” Emmett asked, worried.

 

“No Dad, Billy’s just really picky about who he lets close to him,” Colton said, running off.

 

“It’s not picky ” Billy mumbled, looking up at Emmett who waited for him to continue.

 

“I just don’t see the point in making friends with just anyone. I want the people in my life to be there because they're worth the time I invest in them.” Billy said, hoping it made sense. “I don’t need people who think my family makes me worth knowing. It’s weird when people act like being Drew Boyd, football god’s kid makes me special. I mean yeah it’s special, but only because my dads are pretty great dads. It has nothing to do with what you guys do for a living. Can you believe some girls were actually gushing over the fact that having you for a dad meant being invited to awesome parties? I was like, how about the fact that my dad loves me? Yet all they care about is that everyone wants an event thrown by my dad.” Billy said, laughing at Emmett’s stunned expression. 

 

“Do you know how proud I am to have you and Colton?” Emmett asked.

 

“Probably as proud as we are to have you,” Colton told him.

 

“It’s why I don’t get what’s so special about what my dads do, but who they are. So I don’t make friends with people unless they see that.” Billy told him, getting up when Gus and Jenny showed up.

 

Drew came up behind Emmett, wrapping his arms around him. “How did we get this lucky,” Drew said, not really asking.

 

“They saw us as the people who would love them the way we love each other,” Emmett told him. “And now let me do what apparently makes the girls what to hang out with our son,” Emmett said, walking over to start letting the kids in, as Brian, Justin, and Max showed up.

 

The party was a success, and when Max opened his present from Uncle Mikey, he showed his Uncle Ben the photo album with the captions that explained everything about his dads’ lives for Max. Max looked up at Ben. “Does everyone fall in love the way my dads did?”

 

“No, but they still get a happy ending if they work for it,” Ben told him.

 

“Even when they are bad we still love them, that’s what my dad told me,” Max said getting up when Gus yelled for him.

 

“Even then,” Ben said quietly. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 23 by starlight

 

 

 

 

Billy was at the airport, waiting on the curb for Gus to pick him up. They all decided to ride back to Pittsburgh together to watch this year's valedictorian Max graduate with honors from high school. Billy missed being able to see his family all the time, but he couldn’t turn down the offer to attend Harvard Medical School. Billy had spent a lot of time with Aunt Daphne and liked the idea of helping people by becoming a doctor. It still surprised him some days that this was his life. He spent most of his childhood never knowing what was going to happen to him and Colton. Losing hope that anything good could happen for either of him. If anyone had told him this future back then, he wouldn’t have believed them. In Billy’s head, Max led him and Colton to the wonderful life he lived with his fathers and extended family. It’s why even Colton wasn’t planning to miss this. He had rearranged his busy schedule at his restaurant to make the time to be with the rest of the family for the week. Billy was looking forward to seeing everyone if Gus would finally show up.


Gus knew he was running behind and finally left the house after his mothers had taken a hundred pictures of all of them with Max in his cap and gown. Which, once Billy and Colton arrived would mean doing it all over again with all the parental units. In the end, all of the kids were willing to be tortured along with Max. Poor Max. Unlike the rest of them, he was the second to last one to leave the nest and would be the one going the furthest from home once it was time to start college. Gus could tell his dads were having a hard time, since they never liked any of their kids being out of their sight, and Mel was crowing that our Max was following in her footsteps. Although Brian liked to point out that she never could have gotten into Yale. It was all good-natured between them, and while Mel was proud of Max, even she had tears at the fact that he’d be so far away from them. Gus pulled up where Billy was standing, looking at his watch before getting in.


“They think if they don’t take pictures of everything, nobody will remember it,” Gus told him, helping Billy stow his bags.


“Please tell me, Michael, already started,” Billy said jokingly.


“Nope. He said he wanted to make sure everyone was there, so he got the whole family.” Gus told him.


“Hopefully we won’t end up in one of his books,” Billy said, not really caring.


Michael and Ben, after working through Michael’s issues, found a way to combine their relationship with work. Michael admitted that he was lonely, while Ben had been becoming a successful writer. Michael made sure Ben knew it was all on him, and that he felt it was time for him to find his passion, something the comic store ended up not being. After Michael created the book for Max about his fathers’ lives, he found something he loved. He liked bringing the world to people through pictures. Ben had another book tour in Europe and Asia, and Michael took it as an opportunity to immerse himself into the cultures the way Ben had been suggesting for years. He spent time with the local people, finding out about things he never knew, and with Ben’s help started documenting everything. He developed a cookbook, planning on giving it to Colton as a present since he loved everything about cooking. It ended up being published, after Ben and Michael threw a dinner with Ben’s editor, wanting to try some of the recipes Michael pried out of the people he talked to. People liked that none of the pictures were posed, and the way Michael and Ben found places off the beaten path. Of course, with Max graduating Michael and Ben planned to be there too since they loved the twerp as much as the rest of the family. Which meant hours of Michael documenting the occasion, which he did with every event in all the kids' lives. Gus and Billy both laughed, since once again Jenny would be running to hide because she got it the worst. They all joked that Michael finally became Deb, wanting to know everything in Jenny’s life.


“How’s everyone taking that our baby is all grown-up?” Billy asked as they pulled up to the house.


“They still have Aiden and Emmy to go, but Mom keeps saying she would be thrilled to be a grandmother, while Dad tries to tell her he’s not old enough for that torture. I have to admit, I wish Max hadn’t picked Yale. I hate it as much as the parents do, but Max wants to spread his wings the way we did, ” Gus tells him.


Billy couldn’t imagine what it would be like when Aiden and Emmy graduated since the twins were the last of the gangs' kids left in school. Ted and Blake joked they were taking pointers from the others since their babies were just starting high school. Aiden worshiped his namesake, telling his dads’ that he wanted to be just like his Uncle Brian. Ted groaned at the idea of chasing after a little Kinney clone. Brian joked that Ted must have a beauty gene somewhere, Aiden made all the boys and girls at school crazy. Emmy, on the other hand, was Daddy’s girl, and Ted was a slave to his daughter, who looked a lot more like Blake than Ted. None of the dads were thrilled when boys circled around her.  


Colton pulled open the car door, not caring he was covered in flour, before yanking Billy out hugging him. It was hard on both of them to not see each other all the time, having to rely on Skype and phone calls. Colton ended up as tall as Emmett, but built like Drew, something that still amazed all of them, since he started out a scrawny little redhead. Billy was the shortest between Gus and Colton. Gus inherited Brian’s height and looks, and to the disappointment of the guys at Babylon, he was straight like Billy. Colton was divided on the spectrum, saying he’d know when he found the person he couldn’t live without. Unlike Gus and Colton, who were still looking for the one, Billy didn’t have to, he found her when he found his dads. Which was all kinds of fun when Deb and Michael figured it out. Deb joked she was finally going to have a doctor in the family. Michael had a tiny meltdown, not because Jenny told him she wanted Billy, it was the idea that his baby had a boyfriend. Mel made sure they both understood she’d kill them if they didn’t finish school before they even thought of making her a grandmother. Brian on the other hand, with Emmett’s help, embarrassed the hell out of all the teens with their version of the sex talk, luckily for everyone, Justin and Drew confiscated the visual aides they wanted to use.


Max sat there thinking he really wanted this day to end, and to get started on the family vacation. The ‘rents did this thing where they planned a fabulous vacation (Emmett’s words) where the whole family attended. With Gus and Billy, it was Hawaii at the beach (which Brian said was all he needed, a tan and Pa, to be happy). When Colton started culinary school it was Italy (which Max was all for since he and Pa were all for the food). When they asked Max, he wanted to go to the first place they ever took him, only this time with Uncle Mikey (which only Max was allowed to call him). Max smiled when his brothers all came through the door, hoping they could escape for a while. He needed a distraction before he had to stand up in front of the entire school and make a speech. His speech was going to be unusual since he wanted to do more than making a speech, he wanted to give hope to other kids who weren’t as lucky as he’d been to have his fathers and the family behind him. Max got opportunities that changed his life. Instead of staying behind, Hunter caught him up and helped him blow past what they were teaching. Max wanted that for other kids who were like him, it’s why he wanted to become a lawyer. He wanted to change the way kids like him ended up if they aged out of the system and didn’t have any help. 


Max sat there thinking about his memories before his dads came into his life, and giggled that he once told Auntie Linds that he didn’t want to count since it did nothing for him.


“They driving you crazy with the speeches about how your life is going to change?” Gus asked, dragging Max to the kitchen with them, as the ‘rents were all getting ready for graduation ceremony.


“I was just thinking about the first time I saw Pa, and he smiled at me,” Max told him.


“It’s the reason we all got this life,” Billy said as Jenny hugged him from behind and the rest of us groaned as she kissed him.


“You think that?” Jenny asked.


“If we hadn’t been in the same foster home when Max went missing…” Colton said, getting out the freshly baked croissants he was making along with breakfast for the family.


“We would have found you anyway,” Emmett said as he came breezing into the room, grabbing Billy since he couldn’t hug his baby every day. “You have everything you need at school?” 


“Yes Dad, and I’m eating three a day even though it’s not as good as what Colton makes. Sleeping is the only thing I’m missing right now,” Billy said holding his Dad.


Emmett stood between his two boys, and started sniffling when he looked at Max.


“Seriously, I promise to call three times a day if you’ll stop,” Max joked.


“Please, that’s Uncle Mikey, not me,” Emmett protested.


“Um Dad, I live in Pittsburgh and you call like ten times a day,” Colton teased, ducking Emmett swiping at him.


“I only get away with once a day, because my girlfriend is as bad as her dad,” Billy joked, kissing Jenny’s pout.


“Speaking of, I’ll pay anyone who hides his torture device,” Jenny said, expecting her boys to help her. Max looked over at Jenny, noticing something new.


“What are you going to pay for?” Michael asked, coming in with Ben.


“A whole book of Max’s day, Daddy,” Jenny said while ducking behind Gus and Billy before the first flash blinded all of them.


Jenny looked over at Max and shook her head at him since he got the look that said payback was coming for focusing Michael on him. Max smirked, then tilted his head looking at Jenny, causing Michael to lower the camera.


“Max?” Michael asked, looking between Max and Jenny.


“Something is different, I just can’t put my FINGER on it,” Max said, loving that all the parents came in the room to hear him.


“I’m going to beat you,” Jenny said, putting her hand behind her back.


“Please, you’ll be too busy dealing with that,” Colton said nodding to all the parents.


“You forgot,” Billy told her since they agreed to keep their secret.


“We got up at the crack of dawn, I wasn’t exactly awake,” Jenny complained.


“What?” Michael asked, still confused.


Emmett ruined it by going over to Jenny and managing to get the ring off and in his pocket. Max let it go when Colton slid a plate to him, telling him he was a brat.


“Are you ready to make your speech?” Brian asked. Max nodded while stuffing his face.


“It’s killing me you won’t let any of us read it,” Emmett told him.


“Like we all aren’t going to cry anyway, no matter what our Max says,” Lindsay said, sitting next to Max and hugging him.


“Are you going to tell us why you were meeting with the school yesterday?” Mel asked Brian, who seemed to want to demonstrate that he still never got enough of Justin.


“Just taking care of what Max asked of us,” Drew said, distracting everyone from Brian and Justin forgetting everyone around them.


“So we have to wait?” Emmett pouted, giving up when Max nodded.


Everyone got in the cars. Max was riding with his brothers and Jenny. Justin, Mel, and Lindsay with Brian. Michael and Ben went to get Deb and Carl, while Ted and Blake drove themselves and their kids. Jen, Molly, Jason and the girls left the earliest planning to save an entire section for the clan.


Brian wasn’t sure how to feel about Max graduating, only because now he wouldn’t be there every day. They were proud of all he accomplished and the man he was becoming but wished he hadn’t grown up as fast as he did. They still had Aiden and Emmy to share but it wouldn’t be the same as Max for them. 


“Don’t think about him being gone,” Justin said, knowing the serious look Brian had since Max decided on Yale.


“I’m not, just all the empty rooms,” Brian smirked.


“God, he’s already planning to debauch the house,” Mel jokes.


“I doubt there’s anywhere we haven’t… no, still won’t, even though Max isn’t going to be there,” Brian said, snickering as Mel smacked him.


“I’m as curious as Emmett at what all you guys have been up to,” Lindsay hinted.


“You’ll find out when Max tells everyone,” Brian tells them, unwilling to steal any limelight from Max.


Max looked at the sea of hats, then to his fathers’. Before he spoke, he mouthed he loved them.


“I wanted to start by telling you a story. One that changed my life and brought me here to stand in front of you, making this speech. I could tell you my story started when my birth mother died leaving me alone in the world, but for me, that’s really not my story. My story isn’t even in the next few years, living in more homes than I can even remember. My story starts when a man smiled at me, and I felt like for the first time I’d seen the sun and it was shining on me. It was my first day in kindergarten, I’d been sitting in the room, not sure what we were there for, and afraid of everything around me. I remember sitting there only wanting to play with all the toys because when you’re in foster care toys aren’t something you get many of. I wasn’t interested in making friends because no one stayed in my life for long, and making friends meant hurting when they were taken away. So my only goal was to get to play, not learn things. Which apparently is the whole point of school.” Max stopped when everyone laughed, not wanting this to be a sad speech. “So I wasn’t thrilled when the teacher, who ended up being my aunt and one of my mothers, asked me to count,” Max smiled up at Lindsay who blew him a kiss. “I decided to explain to her that counting never did much for me. See, my life became about counting when the houses changed along with the families, and I told her I didn’t see the point in counting anymore. That’s the day my story started because a man had come into the room and he laughed at what I said. But for the first time, I didn’t think he was laughing at me to make fun of me, but just because he liked what I said. I sort of liked him more when he distracted my teacher, making it so that I didn’t have to count, but also the fact that there was something about him that made me want to see him smile again. Which he did, right before walking out of the classroom. I felt special because for once something was mine, he didn’t smile at any of the other kids. His smile stayed with me for the next couple of weeks. It was something I used to keep the loneliness away, which I felt even in a house with five other kids. My story could have ended there but it didn’t. Instead, I ended up being forgotten on a school field trip. The whole thing confused me because I didn’t have a clue what a field trip was and no one told me to stay with everyone. Instead, I sat where I was told, and just stared at the picture in front of me until I got hungry and went to look for someone who was supposed to be with me. When I couldn’t find anyone, I did the one thing I knew, I went back to where they told me to be and sat back down. That’s when the sun came back, his name was Justin Taylor-Kinney, or Pa as he became for me,” Max said, waving at Justin. “He sat with me, and all I wanted was for him to smile at me again because, in my five-year-old head, it meant things were going to be okay. I got that and more from that moment. He didn’t just call someone, he called my Dad, who told me years later just seeing me was all it took to know I was going to be their son. My story started that day because I found a home with everything that seemed like a fairy tale. I never again had to worry about things most people take for granted, being wanted, loved, and having a place to call your own. I grew up with the support of both of my fathers, who love me unconditionally and only want me to be or do what makes me happy. I have a huge family that will always be there to pick me up if I need it. Which isn’t something everyone has even if they aren’t in foster care, and why I wanted today to be about more than just the next step in my life or those of my classmates. My future is secure only because of the two men who wanted to share the love they have with a child. To them, it didn’t matter where I came from, just that they could love me, and be a part of the person I will be one day. It made me wish that was true for every child who doesn’t have what I have, along with my other siblings and cousins. It made me think about others who aren’t as lucky as some of us. In my family, each of us has choices that a child without a home doesn’t. This led me to talk to my dads, who always listened, even when I asked for a pony, which I’m still waiting for,” Max laughed when Brian shook his head no again. “See, most kids who live in foster care their whole lives don’t have a lot of options when it comes to school. They don’t have parents saving or hundreds of scholarships because most of them switch schools so often that it’s hard to keep up and do well. I wanted to change that, I wanted them to have more options than an overworked system can give them. My dads and our school listened to me and helped me find a way to make a difference, no matter how small it might seem. Starting next school year, there will be a center opening to help not just foster kids but any teen who needs help to give them a better future, and maybe the ones who need it will find home the way I did.” 




 




End Notes:

Thank you for always encouraging me.

 

Star

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1355