Emerge Victorious by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Sometimes you come out on top, and sometimes you don't.


Story #50 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 56129 Read: 14285 Published: Oct 16, 2018 Updated: Oct 16, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

15. Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

16. Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

17. Chapter 17 by SabinaThymeSunshine

18. Chapter 18 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Emerge Victorious

Chapter 1


“Dada, what’s wrong?” Bree asked.

Brian slammed the lid on the barbecue and muttered, “Nothing.” The fucking barbecue would be spotless for the Labor Day barbecue or Brian would die trying to make it that way.

“But you were scrubbing the barbecue so hard that daddy told me to come over and make you stop. He thought you’d wear through the grate. We need the grate to barbecue, don’t we, Dada?”

“Yes, I guess we do,” Brian mumbled in response. He picked up a pot that was sitting on the side heating element of the massive barbecue. He looked into the empty pot and said, “Can’t even fucking clean things properly. I’ll have to scrub this too.” He gave the pot a good bang on the side shelf of the barbecue before marching towards the house. He had lots of scrubbing materials in the kitchen, and he had plenty of malice to take out on any wayward pot that came his way.

“Brian,” Justin said as Brian stormed through the sun porch.

“What?” Brian snapped as he kept right on going.

“He’s going to come whether you smash the barbecue or demolish the pots.”

“Fuck!”

“Calm down, please,” Justin begged. “Everyone will be arriving soon.”

“Don’t you think I’d calm down if I could?”

“He’ll be on his best behavior. Susan will keep him on a short leash, and Bree will be here.”

“I don’t give a fuck. How many years have I suffered his glares and his ill will and his downright animosity? How long am I expected to take it?”

“Until Bree gets married and moves away,” Justin said matter-of-factly. “Then you never have to set eyes on him again.”

“Want to bet?”

“What do you mean?” Justin asked in confusion. “I would never ask him here if it wasn’t for Bree.”

“You had to raise a fucking compassionate daughter with the world’s biggest heart. She’s going to invite Craig and me to dinner parties at her house. I’m going to have to fucking be nice to that smug bastard for the rest of my fucking life.”

Justin stifled a chuckle. “The dinner parties at Bree’s are probably ten years in the future. Do you need to worry about them today?”

“You brought it up, and it means I have ten years of putting up with him coming here.”

“Well, maybe,” Justin had to admit.

“How many fucking years have I known you?” Brian demanded.

“Almost twenty. Why?”

“Craig Taylor has hated me for twenty fucking years. And I have been fucking nice to him all that time. How long do you think I can do that?”

“You’ve shown remarkable restraint. I laud you for your efforts.”

“Fuck the efforts! Fuck Craig Taylor! Even I have my limits. I’ve reached the end of my rope.”

“Brian … for Bree,” Justin pleaded.

Brian shook his head indicating that he didn’t want to give in once again. He looked through the glass of the sun porch and saw Bree watching them. She was too far away to have heard what they said, but she didn’t look happy. Her eyes met Brian’s for a brief moment, and then she turned and ran into the Wendy house.

“Fuck!” Brian reacted. “Can you clean this fucking thing for me?” he asked Justin, practically throwing the pot at him. “I have something to do.”

“But…” Justin tried to reply as he grabbed the pot before it hit the floor. Brian was already out the door. “Just come back,” he said to the empty room. Maybe Brian would go to the stream and sit on the big rock for a while. That might calm him down. He could see Brian heading in that direction. Justin headed for the kitchen to make sure that the spotless pot was even cleaner before Brian came back … if he came back.

“Bree,” Brian said sticking his head into the Wendy house.

“Yes,” a sad little voice replied.

“May I come in?”

“I don’t think so, Dada. You’re mad at me.”

“I’m not mad at you.”

“Yes you are. I invited Gampa Craig to the barbecue and you don’t want him here.”

“How do you know that?”

“I hear things.”

“Can I come in so we can talk about this?” Brian asked again. He was hunched over with his head sticking through the small doorway, not the best position for a serious discussion. And his back was already objecting.

“I guess so,” Bree said with a little sniffle.

Brian bent over and entered the Wendy house. Bree was sitting on one of the big cushions on the floor. Brian pulled the other cushion over beside her and sat down. “No tea party?” he asked.

Bree shook her head. “I didn’t mean to make you mad, Dada. I just wanted Gamma Susan and Gampa Craig to be here with the rest of my family. I don’t like it when people get left out.”

“I know you meant well, Squirt,” Brian conceded.

“Why does Gampa hate you?”

“What makes you think he hates me?”

“I see the way he looks at you and how he leaves the room if you’re there.”

“You see that, huh?”

Bree nodded. “Is he a bad man?”

Brian sucked in his lips. “No, he’s not a bad man. He just disagrees about Justin and me.”

“But…” Bree said thoughtfully. “How can he disagree? Doesn’t he want you to be married?”

Brian looked into Bree’s violet blue eyes. How did you tell a child that her grandfather was a homophobic prick? “He’d rather we weren’t,” Brian admitted.

“Is that why he and Gamma Jenn got divorced?”

“That had something to do with it.”

“Why do people get divorced?”

Brian drew in a breath. “They get divorced when they don’t agree on things, and they … fall out of love.”

“You and daddy won’t fall out of love, will you?”

“No, why would you ask that?”

“I saw you arguing in the sun porch. And it’s my fault. I don’t want you to get a divorce.”

“We’re not getting a divorce,” Brian said. “I promise.”

“But Auntie Lindsay and Auntie Mel are. I don’t want no more divorces,” Bree gulped as tears started down her face.

“Your daddy and I are not getting a divorce,” Brian said pulling his daughter into a fierce hug. “You don’t have to worry about that. We fight sometimes, but we’re staying together.”

“For true?”

“For absolute true.”

“I love you, Dada.”

“Backatcha, Squirt.”



*****



“So he’s down at the stream?” Emmett asked. He had arrived with food, and to help set up for the barbecue.

“Yeah, he’s really pissed about my father coming today. I can’t say that I blame him after the way he was treated at Craig’s when he picked up Bree.”

“Can’t Craig Taylor go fuck himself and leave us homos alone?”

Justin chuckled. “Bree keeps inviting him here.”

“Oh! Right, of course. Should I go see if he’s fit to talk to,” Emmett volunteered.

“If you wouldn’t mind. I’ve been dreading going down there to face him.”

“It will be my … pleasure to do so.”

“Pleasure? I don’t think so. Don’t let him throw you in the stream,” Justin advised as Emmett left the kitchen.

Emmett headed for the path to the stream. As he passed the Wendy house he heard voices from inside. He stuck his head in to see what was going on. Brian and Bree were seated at the small table each holding a miniature teacup.

“What’s going on in here?” Emmett asked in surprise.

“Tea party,” Brian said smugly. “Would you care to join us?”

“May I?” Emmett asked with a toothy grin. This was far better than what he had expected to find down at the stream.

“How do you take your tea, Auntie Emm?” Bree asked as she pretended to pour tea from the little china pot into one of the small cups.

“Milk and sugar, please,” Emmett said as he took the last chair at the table.

Bree pretended to fix Emmett’s tea. She handed him the tiny cup and saucer. “There you go, Auntie Emm.”

“Thank you, sweetheart,” Emmett replied taking an imaginary sip of his tea. “Ooh, hot!” He waved his hand in front of his mouth.

“It’s good to blow on it first,” Bree instructed and then demonstrated what Emmett should do.

“You know, I haven’t been to a lot of tea parties,” he said. “I have so much to learn.”

“I’ll teach you, Auntie Emm,” Bree said with a brilliant smile. “Hudson told me all about tea parties.”

“And Bree’s an excellent teacher,” Brian added.

That’s how Justin found them all some time later. He had begun to wonder if Brian had thrown Emmett in the stream. When he set out to investigate, he found them all having their tea party. Sadly he had to break it up, because Debbie had just buzzed from the end of the lane. Their guests were arriving.



*****



“And what are you ladies conspiring about?” Brian asked suspiciously when he strolled up to the long table in the sun porch.

The weather had turned a little grey and although it wasn’t raining, the damp had brought many of the elder members of the family into the porch. Debbie, Joan and Jennifer were holding court, deep in a huddle, sipping chilled wine. Several other family members flitted in and out making their own contributions to the conspiracy. Brian knew something was up and it wasn’t his dick.

“We were just all in agreement about something regarding a very special couple,” Debbie cryptically responded.

“A couple of what?” Brian teased as he took a gulp of his beer, pulling up a chair.

Brian’s temper had significantly improved over the course of the day. Craig kept his distance and his homophobic opinions to himself. He happily spent the afternoon playing with his grandchildren. Bree appeared to tolerate Taylor, even allowing the toddler to draw in one of her coloring books. A true sacrifice Brian imagined on Bree’s part. She couldn’t quite get the concept of coloring within the lines through to her young cousin. But she patiently kept on trying.

“Asshole,” Debbie muttered. Brian smirked at her, egging her on.

“Brian, stop teasing,” Joan admonished her son.

“If I have to,” he huffed with a put upon sigh. “So is someone gonna fess up and tell me what’s got your knickers in a bunch?”

“No, we’re not,” Jennifer stated giving her son-in-law a poignant look. “We haven’t finished our plans so there’s nothing yet to tell.”

“So you admit that you’re planning something,” Brian declared as he sat up straight in his chair scanning the women’s faces. “And you have no intention of telling me, do you?” he asked the determined women.

“No, we don’t,” Debbie declared.

“I don’t like surprises,” Brian growled.

“Honey, we would never do anything that you wouldn’t like. We promise,” Debbie gently vowed. “I can tell you…” Debbie ventured as she glanced at her fellow conspirators before going on. Seeing no objections, she continued, “What we have in mind is not only for you but for Sunshine as well. Something we think will make him very happy.”

Brian’s expression softened. He had no doubt that the ladies in his life would never do anything to hurt his Sunshine. “Okay, I’ll leave you to it,” he said polishing off his beer then getting up to begin the next round of grilling. “But I’m warning you,” Brian began in a moment of clairvoyance, “if your plan involves me and Justin having to put up with that homophobic prick for another afternoon, I will NOT be happy.”

Brian Kinney left the sun porch.

“Whoops!” the ladies said with a nervous chuckle when Brian was out of earshot.

“Are you sure we’re doing the right thing?" Joan asked her fellow conspirators.

“Of course we are,” Debbie declared confidently. “He’ll get over it.”

“Eventually,” Jennifer deadpanned as she poured the ladies some more wine.



*****



“Candy, how’s your mom doing?” JR asked Candy.

The teens with one ‘tween, Patrick, were all sitting at one table in the garden. Janet and Candy drove up with Lacy and Katerina. Nick and Hunter rode up with Debbie and Carl in their mobile hotel. Debbie and Carl had decided to travel northward into Canada after the barbecue, coming home to spend the holidays with the family then heading south for the winter.

Janet and Candy had indeed been adopted by the family. The family all thought it amusing how Michael cowered under Lacy’s gaze. Lacy was determined to make sure Michael lived up to his part of the bargain. Candy who never traveled without her sketch pad, showed some of her sketches of a potential new heroine to Lacy.

“She’s okay for now, I guess. Today’s a good day. Being in the new apartment helps a lot. The doctor said she was getting dehydrated in our old apartment and that was making her more tired. This new place has real air conditioning that works!”

“You’re on the first floor, right?” Gus asked. He was sitting at the table leaning all over Ray. In between making kissy faces at each other, the older boys participated in the conversation.

“Get a room,” JR grumbled. As Gus stuck his tongue out at his sister, Ray nipped at it. “You two are just disgusting. Ignore them,” JR said to the rest of the table that consisted of herself, Candy, Gus, Ray, Curtis, who came with his dads, Richie, and Patrick.

“Yes, Mr. Ted set us up. It’s easier for my mom; she gets tired on stairs.”

“We’re right next door. You can come over anytime if you need something,” Richie volunteered. Emmett and Drew had already impressed upon Janet that she was to call on them. Lacy and Katerina said the same thing, as did the rest of the Tremont apartment inhabitants. Candy wound up with a schedule so she knew who was home and who wasn’t, and she had all pertinent phone numbers.

“When I’m home, I’m on the top floor,” Gus added when he came up for air.

“Don’t you guys ever get enough?” JR asked her brother.

“Never enough,” Gus and Ray replied laughing.

“You sound just like Uncle Brian,” JR remarked.

“Who sounds like me?” Brian asked as he came up to the table to bop Gus and Ray on the back of the head.

“They do,” JR said snickering. “Ha ha!” she teased.

“What was that for?” Gus asked with a pout, rubbing his head, which really didn’t hurt.

“You’re scaring the phobe,” Brian explained as he tossed his head toward Craig’s general direction. “And since we’re all playing nice,” Brian hissed through his teeth, “I’d like you to tone it down or take it someplace else.”

“But...” Gus was about to protest. Edna’s Treasures was his home too.

“Sonny Boy, you’re about to preach to the choir. I don’t like it either but I promised Justin. For the sake of your sister, keep it on a low simmer.”

“Okay, Pop,” Gus groaned. He and Ray separated a little. Ray patted his boyfriend’s back then leaned over to whisper something into Gus’ ear. Gus smiled broadly as Brian shook his head then moved off to mingle at the next table.



*****



“Mom, this is Janet Cummings. I told you about her and her daughter,” Justin introduced Jennifer to Janet then moved on to another table.

“Yes, I remember,” Jennifer said graciously. She had Justin’s old high school yearbook at home and had looked Janet up the minute Justin told her about their meeting. “How are you?” Jennifer asked as she poured them some lemonade.

“I’m hanging in there, Mrs. Taylor.”

“It’s Mrs. Harris,” Jennifer gently corrected. “Justin’s father and I divorced shortly after the...”

“Oh, yes, I remember. Lots of things changed after that.”

“Yes it did.” There was an awkward silence for a moment. “I saw your daughter’s entries for the Emerging Artists Show. And the family has been buzzing about her contributing to Rage.”

“I know. I can’t believe it. I just wish...I mean it would be nice if her father could be more accepting of her,” Janet said changing her thoughts mid statement.

“I understand. Justin and his father don’t see eye to eye either. Does...”

“I’m interrupting?” Susan asked as she came over to introduce herself. Susan felt a little like an outcast amongst Justin’s loyal family although no one was ever rude to her. But her patience was being tested today and she had had enough of Craig’s snide remarks for the moment.

“Not at all. Susan, this is Janet Cummings,” Jennifer said as she took over as hostess. “Janet shared a few classes with Justin during high school.”

“Oh, were you close friends?” Susan asked as she shook Janet’s hand. She couldn’t help notice Janet’s weak grip.

“Um, no, not really. I was a cheerleader for the football squad,” Janet said hesitantly.

“Football?” Susan was making the connections. “Oh,” she said when it all fell into place.

“Justin is sponsoring Janet’s daughter in the Emerging Artists Show. Perhaps you’ll get a chance to go.”

“Yes, I’m planning to. I did see some of the new exhibits when we were there for Justin’s preview. What’s your daughter’s name? Maybe I already saw her work.”

“Cassandra but she likes to be called Candy.”

“Candy. Oh wait! I think I did see something of hers. Um, a sketch of Justin’s henge.” Janet smiled as she nodded. “But the artist’s name was C. Hobbs,” Susan said as her eyes opened wide. “Oh my!” she gulped as her hand flew to her mouth. Janet’s eyes filled with unshed tears.

“Does she know?” Susan whispered. Janet nodded. Janet couldn’t keep the truth from her daughter although she gave Candy a watered down version of the story.

“And Justin is sponsoring her?” Susan looked into Jennifer’s eyes as she continued to whisper. Jennifer nodded. “Justin is...”

“A beautiful person,” Janet quickly finished the statement.

“Yes, he is, and very generous. Just like his mother,” Susan added. Jennifer’s eyes warmed. “Uh, are you all right? You look a little pale.”

“I think I need to lie down.”

“Let me take you inside to Bree’s room. I have it on very good authority that her bed is very comfortable,” Jennifer offered. Susan got up to help, instinctively sensing that Janet was not well.

“Nick,” Jennifer called out as they passed another table. Nick looked up at Janet as she leaned on the women while they walked her toward the cottage.

“I’ll go get my bag,” he said as he scurried off to the mobile home. Justin came to his mother’s side.

“I have her, sweetheart, but can we borrow Bree’s room for a while?”

“Sure, I’ll go turn down the bed,” Justin said as he sprinted into the cottage making sure there was a clear path to his daughter’s room.

When they got Janet settled they all went back outside.

“I hope I didn’t make her sick,” Susan said more to herself then anyone else.

“No, you didn’t,” Nick reassured the woman. “She’s very ill and she may have overdone it. She’ll be fine after she rests in a cool dry room for a while.”

“It is a little sticky out there,” Susan agreed. “Is there anything I can do?” she asked sincerely.

“Not at this point. She may need hospice care in a month or two but for now, keeping things as normal as possible is the best medicine.”

“What about shopping and cooking, things like that?”

“We try to take turns bringing her and Candy meals. Candy likes to cook but doesn’t have the knack for it. Emmett’s been helping with that. The problem is most of us work during the day. My hours are crazy at the hospital. Same with Hunter and Katerina. Lacy’s at the diner and Emmett’s busy with his restaurants and his catering business,” Nick explained.

“Maybe I can help,” Susan said as she walked back toward her husband.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 2







“No, Taylor, you’re supposed to stay inside the lines,” Bree said with a sigh. She took Taylor’s hand and showed him how she would color inside the outline of the elephant in her coloring book. She and Taylor were sitting at a table with Molly, Craig and Owen under one of the big shade trees. Bree was kneeling on her chair, and Taylor was standing on his father’s chair between Owen’s legs. Owen had a firm grip on him. Bree had chosen the page with the elephant for Taylor to color. Se had thought that the animal was so big that Taylor could stay inside the huge space that the elephant occupied on the page. She was wrong.

Taylor looked up at his cousin and gave her a crooked grin. “Goo,” he said.

“He’s impossible,” Bree observed.

“He doesn’t have the eye/hand coordination to color inside the lines yet,” Molly informed Bree.

“So I should stop trying to make him?” Bree asked.

“Oh no, I didn’t mean that. He learns things from your instruction,” Molly assured Bree.

“He does?”

“Yes, and the only way he’ll get better at coloring is with practice.”

“He needs to know how to color. They make you do that in kindergarten,” Bree explained knowledgeably.

“That’s true,” Molly agreed. “Do you remember how much you learned from Patrick when you were little?”

“Yes,” Bree said thoughtfully. “My Patrick showed me the ropes.”

Craig chuckled. “And what ropes might those be?”

“He showed me how to act at school, and how to play baseball even though I don’t like it so much, and how to stay away from the stream unless there was an adult with us, and…”

“Okay, okay,” Craig interrupted, “I get the picture.”

“Well,” Molly continued, “Taylor needs you to show him things like that too.”

“Oh,” Bree replied. She frowned and thought about what her aunt had just told her. Maybe she was being too hard on Taylor. He definitely had a lot to learn if his coloring skills were any indication. “I can teach him,” she volunteered.

All of the adults smiled and nodded their heads in agreement. Molly hoped she had just made the rivalry Bree felt with Taylor more bearable for the little girl. Now, if her own father would just…



*****



“Is she okay?” Candy asked as she saw Jennifer and Susan coming out of the sun porch. Candy hadn’t realized that her mother wasn’t feeling well, until she had looked around and not seen her mother anywhere in the yard. Richie had told her that her mother had been taken inside by Justin’s mother.

“She’s resting in Bree’s room,” Jennifer replied. “She dozed off almost before we got her settled.”

“I should go sit with her,” Candy said.

“Candy, I’d let her rest,” Susan gently advised the girl. “She said she didn’t want you to worry. We were going to send for you, but she wanted you to enjoy the day.”

Candy looked uncertain. “You’re sure she’s all right?”

“Dr. Nick looked her over. She’s just tired,” Jennifer assured her.

“Here, Candy, have some lemonade,” Lindsay offered. She had listened to what the women were telling Candy. She decided this might be a good time to get to know the girl better. She offered a glass of lemonade to the young girl. “Come, sit down with me for a little while.” Lindsay took Candy’s arm and propelled her towards one of the chaises that were in the shade beside the house. Lindsay sat down on the one beside it.

Candy took a little sip of her lemonade. “I really should go check on my mother,” she said starting to get up.

“She’s sleeping,” Nick advised as he came out of the house. She’s fine otherwise.”

“You’re sure?” Candy asked.

“Totally.”

“Okay,” Candy replied sinking back against the chaise. She looked pretty tired herself.

Lindsay realized then how young Candy really was, and how much she had been dealing with over the last weeks. “Drink your lemonade,” Lindsay told her gently.

“Thanks, I am thirsty,” Candy replied. “Thanks for getting it for me.”

“You deserve it. You must use a lot of your time and energy looking after your mother.”

“I don’t mind,” Candy said defensively.

“I’m sure you don’t,” Lindsay replied. “I just meant that it doesn’t hurt to take a breather every now and then. You deserve to relax.”

“I just wish…” Candy let her voice trail off.

“You wish she wasn’t sick. I understand,” Lindsay said sympathetically.

“Do you have someone who’s sick?”

“No, but I’m in the process of getting a divorce after many years of being half of a couple. It’s a different kind of loss, but I think it gives me an inkling of what you’re going through.”

“You were married?” Candy asked.

“Yes, to Melanie. She recently moved to Portland Oregon and found herself a new lover.”

“Well, that’s fucking shitty!” Candy reacted. “Pardon my French.”

Lindsay laughed. “You sounded almost like Brian when you said that.”

“I don’t know Mr. Kinney very well. I’ve mostly talked to Justin.”

“Piece of advice – don’t call him Mr. Kinney. He much prefers Brian.”

“Oh, okay, I’ll remember that.”

“Justin’s really taken an interest in you and your art.”

“I can’t believe how great he’s being, considering the history between him and Chris Hobbs.”

“Chris Hobbs?”

“I refuse to call him my father. He’s just someone that gave a bit of DNA,” Candy said bitterly.

“How much do you know about what happened between your father and Justin?”

“My mother just said that Chris Hobbs had attacked Justin, and he had been put on trial for it. He had to do community service as a result.”

“I see.”

“Is…is there more to the story?” Candy asked.

“A bit, but I think you should ask Justin about that.”

“Okay, I will,” Candy said with her brow furrowed. She had the feeling that she wasn’t going to like what she would hear.

“How are you finding living on Tremont?” Lindsay asked deciding to change the subject.

“It’s great. It’s so much better than where we were before. Justin was a life saver…” Candy stopped, realizing that no one, not even Justin Taylor, could really save her mother’s life. “I mean that it really is so much more pleasant than where we were before. We owe Justin so much.”

“I’m glad you like it there,” Lindsay replied. She wanted to ask Candy about her plans for the future, but it just didn’t seem like the right thing to bring up. “Are you hungry? It smells like Brian has the barbecues going.”

“I could eat a horse,” Candy said sincerely.

“Don’t tell Bree that. She loves horses.”

“I don’t think I will try to tell Bree anything,” Candy said in all seriousness. She had learned that very quickly.

“Smart girl,” Lindsay chuckled.



*****



“Well, Miss Joan, where’s your cohort in crime?” Emmett asked with a grin as he sat down beside her.

Joan was seated on one of the chaises in the sun porch. She looked quite content. “And who would that be?”

“Danny … and his new friend.” Emmett made quotation marks in the air around the word friend.

“If you mean Danny and Riley, they’re having a quiet day at home.”

“Did we scare them off?”

“I must say that when someone is developing a relationship, this group can be rather daunting.”

“Us … daunting?” Emmett chuckled.

“You know it very well,” Joan admonished with a smile. “Riley’s thinking about buying Lindsay’s cottage, you know.”

“I hope he does.”

“I do too. He and Danny make a fine pair, and it will be nice for them to have a place to get away to.”

Emmett nodded in agreement. “How are you doing these days?”

“I’m just fine.”

“You don’t seem to be spending much time with Bree today.”

“Craig Taylor is the center of attention. If that makes Bree happy, then I’m happy.”

“You don’t like him very much, do you?”

“I see the way he looks at my son. I know that look. I used to have it perfected.”

“But you’ve changed.”

“I most definitely have,” Joan declared, “but I don’t have a lot of hope for that man.”

“You never know,” Emmett said philosophically.

“No, you don’t, but he’s even worse than I was, and it’s hard to believe that’s possible.”

“You are our shining example, Miss Joan. Maybe Craig will see the light.”

“Or maybe the light will strike him down in the form of a lightning bolt,” Joan said as she looked through the glass of the sun porch and watched Craig stare at Brian with a look of pure malice on his face.



*****



“Taylor!” Molly yelled with frustration more than anger. Her rambunctious son had just tipped over an entire pitcher of lemonade onto himself. He wasn’t hurt just soaked. Brian and Justin had long ago discovered the benefits of strong plastic pitchers. However, the shock of the cold beverage splashing on the toddler’s head as he reached up onto the table was too much. And it was way past Taylor’s nap time.

“I’m sorry,” Molly said as Justin came running over with paper towels to sop up the mess and a bath towel to sop up Taylor.

“No harm done but I think Taylor needs a bath,” Justin said as he watched Molly wrap her son up in the towel. The bumblebees were beginning to take an interest in her sticky sugary son.

“I think we both need a bath,” Molly said as she looked down at her damp blouse. “Owen, I’m taking Taylor to the cottage,” Molly informed her husband who was busy wiping down the table before the ants began to march.

“Sure, honey,” Owen replied from under the table. Molly said goodbye to the family as she turned.

“Do you want some help?” Craig asked. What he really wanted was to get away from the ‘family’ and Brian Kinney.

“Dad, I’ve been giving my son a bath for over a year now, I think I can manage,” Molly said as she gathered up Taylor’s bag and began to walk toward the lane with a very lemony scented son.

“Molly, don’t be sarcastic; I’d just like to see your cottage,” Craig said trying to keep the pleading out of his voice. Molly searched her father’s face.

“Sure, Dad.” They hurried down the lane toward Molly’s cottage before Taylor became too cranky.

“Where’s he going?” Debbie asked as she spied Craig trailing after Molly.

“Probably making a break for it,” Brian snarked. “His ass has been twitching like a nervous virgin all day long.” Debbie cackled as they rejoined the party.



*****



“How do you put up with it?” Craig asked Molly when she came out of Taylor’s room. After a nice but quick bath, Taylor was diapered then laid down in his crib. He was asleep before Molly covered him with his blanket. Molly had washed herself off then donned a clean t-shirt.

“Put up with what, Dad?”

“You work with them and then spend your holidays with them. I don’t understand it.”

“Coffee?” Molly asked, ignoring her father’s ruminations for the moment as she turned on the coffeemaker. “Dad, Kinnetik is an equal opportunity employer. It doesn’t discriminate, and not that it's any of your business but the woman who hired me is straight.”

Craig hadn’t known that. “I thought Kinney hired you.”

“His name might be on my paycheck but Cynthia hired me and supervises me; she still does.”

“And she’s straight?”

“Yes, Dad, and lives with her boyfriend. But that has nothing to do with the fact that I love my job and I make a difference there. We have dozens of overseas clients and I make sure the language in our ads is correct. I belong, and I can take Taylor with me.”

“You take the baby to work with you?’

“Yup, and so do a lot of the other employees. It’s great to take a break and spend it with my son. When it’s nice out, some of us take the kids out for a walk instead of being cooped up inside.”

“Outside? In that neighborhood?”

“Dad, where have you been? I know you haven’t been living under a rock. Brian and Hunter have done a lot to clean up that part of the neighborhood. It’s perfectly safe. Brian even got permission to have some benches put out in front. The city council likes him,” Molly said proudly.

“I might have a word with the council,” Craig muttered.

“Don’t you dare!” Molly pointed a finger at her father. “Kinnetik has done a lot for the whole community, not just the gays and lesbians. Kinnetik was voted one of the top ten businesses in Pittsburgh to work in for three years running and has been nominated again for this year. Can your company say that? Even Owen Sr. can’t say that. I have a good career with potential for advancement and Kinnetik appreciates the importance of family. I won’t have you say anything bad about Kinnetik.”

“Well...”

“Or Brian! Dad, when are you going to get it through your thick skull? Justin and Brian have been in love with each other for almost twenty years.”

“I almost lost my son because of the man he ‘loves’.”

“No, you almost lost your son because someone hated him for being himself. And you’re going to lose your granddaughter if you don’t change. And Daddy, I will not tolerate your bigotry around my son.” Molly glared at Craig. He understood the implication. Craig was on the verge of being cut off from his grandson as well as his granddaughter.

“I’ll try, honey, I promise.”

“You better do more than try. Justin will be hosting The Emerging Artists Show next week. There will be a lot of press and members of Pittsburgh society attending. I have it on good authority that the Sarah Kingsley will be there. I think as a member of the family, you and Susan should go. I know you received an invitation.”

“How do you know?”

“Because Kinnetik has the gallery account and I was put in charge of overseeing the invitations.”

“Oh.”

“Yes, oh, and the list of who RSVP's comes to me. I want your name on it.” Molly had put her dainty foot down.

“Okay. I’ll discuss it with Susan. I don’t think we have any other plans.”

“No, you don’t; I already checked. So be there.”

“Okay,” Craig said slowly sipping his coffee and feeling like a petulant child. Molly harumphed as she fixed her own coffee.

“Dad, I want to show you something,” Molly said after a while. She got up from her chair and walked to the front doors. She gently caressed the dark wood as she threw the doors open and stepped into her front garden. It was still in bloom although the summer flowers were fading. Brian had begun planting the fall mums. She smiled to herself as she touched an orange red flower petal.

“Molly, you can’t leave the baby all alone,” Craig grumbled. Before Molly could say anything, Beau appeared on the path. Molly reached out to pat the big dog on his head. Craig took a giant step back when he saw the wolf-like dog.

“Beau, watch Taylor for me,” Molly whispered into a furry ear then gave the ear a scratch. Beau gave a little woof then walked into the cottage going straight to Taylor’s room. He sniffed the air near the crib then laid himself down by its side. Beau didn’t mind watching this pup, especially when he was asleep.

“Molly?”

“Dad, we’re just going to the lane. I can hear if the baby needs me and Beau won’t let anything happen to him. Beau keeps watch over all of us.”

“Fine,” Craig growled as he joined his daughter outside. He couldn’t help but notice the beautifully fragrant garden. “I can’t believe that man did all this,” Craig muttered. “Of course, I can, he’s a fag,” Craig continued to mumble as he held out his flexed wrist in the air.

“Daddy, that is uncalled for,” Molly admonished.

Craig cringed but stepped up to her side. “What did you want to show me?”

“Look around, what do you see?” Craig looked up and down the lane which was very crowded with cars.

“I see houses and lots of cars.”

“Yes, you do and what do you hear?”

Craig listened for a minute. “Music, someone singing off key, and laughter.”

“They’re having fun.”

“It is a party,” Craig stated as if he just had a revelation.

“Yes, they are having fun, lots of fun. They’re enjoying the day.”

“Yeah, so?”

“Don’t you get it?”

“I’m not sure I see your point.”

“No, I don’t suppose you do, Dad. When was the last time you and Susan hosted a family party?”

“Susan and I hosted a cocktail party at the club to celebrate the end of the second quarter. The company did very well,” Craig said proudly.

“Congratulations but that’s not what I asked. I asked about a family party. One with your immediate family, that included your grandchildren, children and their spouses and in-laws.”

“I...”

“Never, Dad, never. Justin and Brian host several parties and barbecues and other gatherings over the course of the year. Brian grumbles about it but that’s just his way. He actually loves it.”

“Maybe I don’t have a reason to throw frivolous parties.”

“Sure you do. Just being alive is reason enough.” Molly inhaled deeply. The sun was waning, the Fall coolness was in the air. Bees heavy with pollen were zooming back to their hives. She could hear crickets chirping, frogs and tree toads croaking. “I love it out here," she said centering herself. "Daddy, please try, if not for yourself, for your grandchildren. I’m so afraid you’ll end up a bitter lonely old man,” Molly sighed.

Craig put his arm around his daughter. “I’ll try, sweetheart. I promise to really try. It’s just that Kinney...”

“Dad, you have nothing to be afraid of,” Molly teased from under her father’s arm. “There’s only one Taylor for Brian, besides you’re much too old for him,” Molly burst out laughing. Craig was too shocked to reply. “Why don’t you go find Susan, it looks like the party’s breaking up,” Molly said observing some of the family waving goodbye as they got into their cars. “And it would be very nice if you invited Mom and Seth here for a cup of coffee before they drive back.” Craig looked as if he was about to protest but decided against it. He squared his shoulders then walked up the lane.

Molly giggled at her father’s obvious displeasure then went to make a fresh pot of coffee.



*****



“Ya think Seth will keep Jennifer from killing Craig?” Emmett asked as he watched them stroll down to Molly’s cottage. He and Owen were folding up the tables and chairs then packing them into the shed.

After seeing Janet and Candy safely off with Lacy and Katerina, the rest of the family pitched in with the clean up. Ted and Allen were staying the weekend with Emmett, Drew and Richie. Lindsay was planning on visiting her cottage after breakfast so she accepted Brian’s offer to stay the night. She really didn’t want to go there alone, so Brian and John volunteered to go with her. Lindsay wanted to take an inventory of the meager belongings that were still in the cottage and take whatever she could carry before arranging for a moving van. John volunteered the services of his men and trucks. The rest of the family headed back to the city.

“If he can’t, Molly will,” Owen deadpanned. “He really isn’t such a bad guy if you can overlook his prejudices and the stick up his ass.”

“Maybe, but he does have a habit of rubbing Brian the wrong way.”

“About that. Is it true that Craig crashed into Brian’s Jeep?”

“Yeah, gave Brian his first concussion,” Emmett said sedately. Some subjects were just too serious to joke about. “He rammed the back of the Jeep when Brian was stopped at a light. It wasn’t pretty; Brian could have been scarred for life … or worse.”

“Does Craig hate all gay people that much?”

“No, I don’t think he does,” Emmett said as he inspected their work, knowing how finicky a certain person was. Satisfied, he locked up the shed then followed Owen back to the garden. Owen waved goodbye to the remaining family then went home.

“No, there’s only one person Craig truly hates,” Emmett murmured to himself, looking up at the clouds in the darkening sky. He took a deep breath, steeled himself then joined the remaining family inside.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 3







“Are you all settled?” Brian asked as he came to the entrance of the sun porch.

Lindsay had just settled herself into the big brass bed. She could have had the new double bed in Gus’ room, but sleeping under the stars in the sun porch had appealed to her more. She told Gus to take his own room. “I’m good,” Lindsay replied to Brian’s question.

“Are you … really?”

Lindsay understood the change in the meaning of Brian’s words. “Yes, I believe I am,” Lindsay said meaning every word. “Have you got a minute?”

“I have nothing to do but fuck my husband senseless,” Brian replied tongue firmly in cheek.

“Well, by all means, don’t let me keep you from it,” Lindsay laughed.

Brian liked the sound of her laugh. There hadn’t been many opportunities for that lately. “Of course I have time for you,” Brian said moving farther into the sun porch. Lindsay patted the side of the bed indicating that Brian should sit. “What do you want to talk about?”

“Life, love…”

“And the pursuit of happiness.”

Lindsay giggled. “Where have I heard that before?”

“It couldn’t have been from me.”

“You, love? Never!” Lindsay shook her head. “I shouldn’t have said that, even as a joke. Of all of us, you and Justin seem to have got it right.”

“Who would believe that I’d be with the same man for almost twenty years?”

“I guess you got all the distractions out of the way before you met Justin.”

Brian looked thoughtful then he said, “You know, I don’t know what I was looking for before I met Justin. I would have said that I wasn’t looking for anything … except instant gratification. And for a long time that seemed to be enough. But then a pair of blue eyes…”

“And a delicious bottom,” Lindsay supplied.

“And a heart as big as the world…”

“Took over your life.”

“Yes, Wendy, he did. He turned me into something quite different from what I thought I could ever be.”

“And you’ve been happy ever since.”

Brian stared into Lindsay’s eyes. “We’re not happy all the time. We’ve had problems, but…”

“Love has seen you through.”

“Yeah, I guess it has.”

“That’s what I want, Brian. I want someone who will share the good and the bad with me, who wants me to be the best I can be.”

“And Melanie never really fulfilled that role did she?” Brian asked gently.

“I tried to pretend that she did. I wanted her to, I really did.”

“I know.”

“But I was always settling for almost, for what could be, but it never happened. She always managed to let me down.”

“Linds…”

“Don’t get me wrong. We were happy on and off, but I really believe now, that we were never truly happy and … contented, not like you and Justin are.”

“Christ, contented? Is that what the fuck I’ve become?”

“It’s not the kiss of death, Brian. It’s a good thing to be contented.”

Brian shook his head. “Maybe it is. I like my life. But don’t ever tell anyone else that I’m … contented.”

Lindsay chuckled. “Your secret’s safe with me.”

“So, what are you going to do?” Lindsay frowned and looked at him questioningly. “You know, with the rest of your life.”

“Do I have one?’

“Of course you do. You’re a beautiful woman. You’ll find someone.”

Lindsay appreciated Brian’s kind words. She needed to hear that after Mel had effectively dumped her for some other woman. “When I’m ready,” she added.

“Definitely when you’re ready.”

“What do you think about me asking Candy to live with me when…”

“I think it’s a good idea.”

“Justin was really going to ask her to come here?”

“Yes, he was. That’s his huge heart that I mentioned before. But I think we’ve both figured out that it would be extremely difficult, and probably a bad idea all round.”

“The idea of having her live with me is kind of growing on me.”

“I hope you don’t feel pressured.”

“No, I’m good. I’m not ready to talk to Candy about it, but maybe soon I will be.”

“It could be good for both of you.”

“Thanks for agreeing to come to the cottage with me tomorrow,” Lindsay said changing the subject. “I really didn’t want to go there alone.”

“Memories can be a bitch.”

“Yeah, even the few that we’ve amassed since we got the cottage.”

“Are you going to be okay when Melanie comes to town?” Brian asked.

“I am, but if I need you, can I call?”

“At your service, lovely lady. I’ll rip her balls off if she hurts you.”

Lindsay laughed. “I’ll tell her that.”

“I’d be happy to do it, you know. I’ve been told her balls are bigger than mine. We could settle that argument once and for all.”

Lindsay laughed harder. “You are so bad.”

“That’s why you love me.”

“Yes it is. Good night, Brian, and thanks for this talk. It helps.”

“Night,” Brian said leaning over to kiss Lindsay on the forehead. He stood up and smiled gently at her before he headed back into the house.

Lindsay snuggled down in the big bed. She placed her arms on top of the sheet, smoothing out the soft, cool cotton with her hands. She stared up at the stars through the glass. For the first time in a long while she felt at peace. Strange that it would take an impending divorce to make her feel that way.



*****



“Are you all tucked in, honeybun?” Michael asked as he tapped on JR’s bedroom door.

“Daaaad!” JR whined at Michael’s use of that obnoxious word.

“Sorry, kid, but you’re always going to be my honeybun.”

“You’re impossible.”

“But you love me anyway,” Michael chuckled.

“Yes I do.”

“Do you think Mommy and Mama are going to be able to settle things?” JR asked before Michael could close the door and leave her alone.

“I don’t know,” Michael replied truthfully. “Melanie really hurt Lindsay leaving the way she did.”

“I know. Why do you think she left like that? Does she hate us that much?”

“I don’t think she hates either of you. I think Mel’s been unhappy with herself for a long time.”

“Unhappy with herself?” JR questioned with a frown. “How can that be? She’s always so … confident.”

“Do you know what bravado is?” Michael asked.

“Yes, it’s when you pretend to be a lot more brave and … confident than you really are. Oh! You think that’s what Mama has been doing?”

Michael nodded. “I wouldn’t be surprised.”

“Are you ever afraid, Daddy?”

“Yes, everyone is.”

“I always thought adults knew everything and weren’t afraid of anything.”

“You must be becoming an adult when you realize that adults are just bigger versions of yourself, with maybe a little more experience to draw on.”

“I’m not sure I wanted to know that,” JR admitted scrunching up her face.

“Just one of those facts that disillusion us,” Michael said with a gentle smile.

“Good night, Daddy,” JR said. “Thanks for talking to me like this.”

“Night, honeybun,” Michael said with a mischievous grin before he kissed his daughter on the forehead. JR didn’t even protest the use of the word “honeybun”. She seemed lost in thought.

Michael closed the door to her room behind him. As soon as Michael turned around, Ben grabbed him and pulled him into a warm kiss. “What was that for?” Michael asked.

“Because I love you,” Ben grinned. “And I loved what you said to JR.”

“Take me to our bedroom so you can show me just how much you love me,” Michael said with a waggle of the eyebrows worthy of Brian Kinney.



*****



“How is she?” Justin asked with a giggle as Brian crawled into the bed from the foot of the bed. He lifted up the covers crawling slowly up Justin’s body like a cat on the prowl.

“She’s fine, or will be, when this mess is all over,” he replied when he popped his head out from under the sheets. Justin giggled even more at the state of his spouse's hair which was sticking up in several different directions. Very few people ever got to see Brian’s hair any other way than perfectly styled. Justin thought a wild messy Brian was just as sexy as a perfectly coiffed Brian, maybe even more so.

“John and I will take her over to the cottage after breakfast,” Brian murmured low as he nibbled on Justin’s lips.

“That’s good, she shouldn’t be alone over there,” Justin commented as he kissed Brian’s chin then rubbed his nose over Brian’s five o’clock shadow. Justin loved a scruffy Brian.

“I won’t let her go up against that bitch alone,” Brian vowed as he began to slowly grind his cock against Justin’s.

“She’ll have all of our support,” Justin said, punctuating his remark with his own bump and grind.

Brian covered Justin’s mouth with his own. Justin opened his mouth to him, accepting the questing tongue. Justin felt that familiar tingling feeling deep in his stomach that spread southward. The same feeling he always got when he and Brian made love or fucked themselves silly. After all this time it never got old. Justin grabbed a fistful of brunet hair then rolled them over.

“I think you got me,” Brian whispered with a self satisfied smirk.

“And don’t you ever forget it.”

“Never, Sunshine. You and me are in it for the long haul.” Brian dragged out the word long as he arched his hard length against Justin’s. Justin smiled at Brian with a devilish grin.

“I want you,” Justin whispered as he nuzzled Brian’s neck then worked his way down to an armpit. Justin inhaled the musky scent before working his way to a nipple. Brian responded, wantonly spreading his legs for his mate. “I love you,” Justin murmured.

“I know,” Brian moaned as Justin made love to him.



*****



“You’re up early,” Lindsay commented as she came into the kitchen. Brian was at the stove cooking up a batch of his famous bacon and eggs. He had a pile of toast on a plate sitting on the counter. Lindsay found the butter then lightly smeared some on a slice. She began to nibble on her toast just as the kettle came to a boil.

“Help yourself,” Brian indicated the kettle. He was in the midst of turning each slice of bacon so it would cook to perfection. “I’m always UP early.”

“You really enjoy cooking, don’t you?”

“No, Justin really enjoys cooking. I just have a way with bacon, eggs, an occasional pancake and grilling large slabs of meat,” Brian proudly admitted. Lindsay laughed. “You should do that more often,” Brian remarked.

“What? Eat buttered toast?”

“Laugh. Remember when we were at college, you’d sneak into my dorm on the pretense of studying.”

“We didn’t get much studying done.”

“No, we didn’t. You made me laugh too much.” Brian plated up the mound of bacon then slid the pan of eggs into a colorful serving dish.

“Won’t everything get cold?” Lindsay asked. They seemed to be the only ones awake. Brian shook his head, waiting for only a moment. A rumble of feet was her answer.

“Mmmm, smells good, Pop!" Gus said as he and Ray helped themselves.

“Coffee!” Bobby grunted as he stumbled in with John. John took pity on his spouse and fixed two large mugs full of the hot liquid. He got Bobby situated at the table then prepared two plates.

Bree came running out pulling Patrick along with her.

“Bacon and eggs for two, Dada!” Bree ordered.

“Coming right up, General Squirt!” Brian gave Bree a salute as he prepared the plates. Bree sat primly at the table next to her Patrick.

“Order up!” Brian shouted, slapping the counter several times. Bree giggled as her other daddy came into the kitchen, grumbling.

“Keep yer shirt on!” Justin griped a la Debbie, as he grabbed the plates then served Bree and Patrick. “Two pink plate specials coming right up!” The kids laughed as they picked up their forks.

“Nothing we cook hangs around long enough to get cold,” Brian said as he nudged Lindsay. He put a full plate in front of her.

“I’m not really hungry,” Lindsay protested. She tried to push away the dish.

“Uh, uh, uh, it’s tradition to eat my special breakfast after one of our barbecues,” Brian said as he pushed the plate closer. “Besides, you wouldn’t want to insult your host, would you?”

“Heaven forbid!” Lindsay declared as she accepted her breakfast.

As the family ate, Brian made another pot of coffee then began cracking more eggs.

“More?” Lindsay asked.

“Hi! Hi! Hi!” Emmett announced, as he swooped through the front door with the rest of the family behind him. He gave everyone a warm greeting then shooed Brian away from the stove, taking over the cooking. Brian poured himself a cup of coffee, sat next to Justin then began to steal bacon off his plate.

The family continued with breakfast, enjoying the peaceful morning and each other.



*****



“You ready for this?” Brian asked as they pulled up in front of the ex-muncherville.

“As I’ll ever be,” Lindsay replied as she took a deep breath before getting out of John’s Navigator.

“You’ll be fine,” John assured her as he opened the SUV door for her. Lindsay smiled, grateful that John and Brian were with her. “We’ll make this as easy as possible. Anything you want to take with you now, we’ll load into the truck and we’ll make a list of the furniture you want shipped or put into storage,” John stated logically.

“You guys are determined to keep my nails in a state of ruin,” Brian griped. “I’m an adman not a laborer.”

“Today you are a laborer,” John ordered as he pushed Brian toward the front door. Lindsay seemed to be having trouble with the lock.

“Linds, let me,” Brian said softly as he gently took the key out of her hand to unlock the door.

“We haven’t been here for months,” Lindsay said noting the slightly musty odor.

“We try to air it out once a week,” Brian said almost apologetically.

“I know,” she said as she gently caressed his cheek. “Thank you. Thank you both for caring and trying. I’m so sorry we disappointed you.” Silent tears began to slip down her cheeks. John put his arms around her.

“Brian, do you have some idea what Lindsay and Mel would want to bring back to Pittsburgh?”

“Yeah, I do. Why don’t you go into the garden?” Brian gave his brother a look; John nodded in agreement. “Linds, maybe there’s some plants you’d like for your yard. Point them out to John and I’ll take care of them.”

“Okay. Um, I brought a notepad with me.” Lindsay fished a small pad and pen out of her bag.

“Great! Let’s go to the garden,” John said as he ushered Lindsay back outside.

Brian frowned as he looked around the cottage. They tried. They all tried but it wasn’t enough. And now it was time to move on. What was that old saying? When God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window. Brian still didn’t believe in God but he did believe in opportunity and knowing when to cut one’s losses then move on.

He packed up Lindsay’s art supplies and brought them out to the truck. He checked the bedrooms and noticed that there were no clothes in any of the closets or dressers. The bathroom was devoid of feminine toiletries. Even JR’s room was relatively empty.

“It’s like a hotel,” Brian said to himself.

He peeped into Mel’s office. Her treasured desk was the main feature. Brian resisted spying in the drawers. He’d have the movers handle it when Mel was ready to take it back to Oregon with her or store it somewhere. Taking the family pictures off the mantle, Brian took one last look around then went out to the yard.

“There wasn’t much but what little there was, I put in the truck,” he informed Lindsay. “Are there any plants you want?”

“No, I don’t want you to dig up anything. Leave it for Riley. He admired the garden so much. But could you do me a favor?” Lindsay asked looking up into Brian’s eyes with her own moist ones.

“What?”

“Design something in my backyard. I want to be able to go back there and sit in the middle of color.”

“That’s a great idea!” John said trying to lighten the mood. “Brian finished replanting our surrounding towns including the new school district and Bridgeton. He needs a new project,” John teased getting a little smile from Lindsay.

“Do I have to?” Brian whined.

“Yes, little brother, you do.” John patted Brian on the back.

“If I must,” Brian said with a long suffering sigh. Lindsay rolled her eyes.

“I have it on good authority that there are some new flavors of ice cream at the general store. Why don’t we pick up some to bring home?” John suggested as Brian locked up the cottage.

“I don’t want a new flavor. Vanilla is good enough for me,” Brian said with a waggle of his eyes.

“Don’t you two ever get enough?” John grumbled. Lindsay, momentarily diverted from her woes, laughed at the brothers’ banter.

“Never enough, big bro! Never enough,” Brian repeated as John pulled away from the curb and headed them toward the store then back to Edna’s Treasures.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 4







“Did you get Ray to the airport?” Lindsay asked as Gus came into the house. 

“Yes, he’s on his way. I miss him already.”

Lindsay smiled. She remembered young love, actually that love had been Brian Kinney, before they both realized what they really were. Lindsay turned to her son. “Sometimes it’s good to miss people. It makes us appreciate them more.”

“Do you appreciate Mama more because she’s gone?” Gus asked.

Lindsay screwed up her face. “That isn’t what I meant.”

“I know, but I can still hope, can’t I?”

“I think your mother and I are really finished this time.”

“When does she arrive to settle things?”

“Next week,” Lindsay said with a sigh. “I just got an email from her saying when she will arrive. I hope she doesn’t expect me to pick her up from the airport.”

“I doubt she will,” Gus replied. “You know I’ll be at university when she comes. Should I come home? I could be here with you.”

“Don’t be silly, Gus. You’re leaving tomorrow. You have to settle in for the school year. I’ll be just fine.”

“I … I really don’t like you being alone here.”

“This is my home. I’m fine,” Lindsay said again, hoping her voice sounded convincing.

“I know, but it will be the first time you’ve seen her since…”

“Since she dumped me?” Lindsay asked with a strange look on her face.

“Do they call it dumping when you’re married?”

“I think they call it divorce,” Lindsay corrected. “I should choose my words more carefully,” she added sarcastically.

“Mom…”

“It’s okay, Gus, really, it is.”

Gus thought she was protesting too much, but what could he say? “I need to give Pop and Bree a call,” Gus said deciding he wasn’t getting anywhere with his mother.

“Sure, you go ahead. I’ll fix us some dinner … if you can stay.”

“I can stay. I’ll be down right after I make my calls.”

Lindsay nodded and headed for the kitchen. Gus went upstairs to his room. He pulled out his phone, sat on the edge of his bed and hit the familiar speed dial number.

“Pop?”

“Yes, Sonny Boy, are you ready to tackle higher education? 

“I think so,” Gus chuckled. “I’m not sure it’s ready for me though.”

“You drive carefully tomorrow,” Brian ordered. Even though Gus had his Jeep and had acted responsibly so far, he would be traveling on his own. Brian didn’t want anything to happen to him.

“I promised I would, Pop. Ray would kill me if I got into an accident.”

“I’d help him.”

Gus laughed. “I’ll be careful. Um, Pop…”

“Yes.”

“I’m still worried about Mom. Are you going to be around when Mama arrives?”

“I could arrange to be,” Brian said. “When does she get here?”

“Mom just said Mama had emailed her about it, but she didn’t say exactly when, just that she would be here next week.”

“A fucking email! I suppose Mel’s dialing finger is broken,” Brian griped. “Can you find out when she arrives?”

“I will, and I’ll let you know.”

“Good, I can always go ruffle a few feathers at Kinnetik. That way, if your mother needs me, I’ll be nearby.”

“Thanks, Dad.”

“There’s a little girl here, who looks vaguely familiar. She keeps patting my arm wanting to take the phone.”

“Could it possibly be Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor?” Gus joked.

“Hm,” Brian said. “Is your name Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor?” Gus could hear his father teasing his sister. “She’s nodding her head so fast that it might fall off her neck,” Brian explained with a chuckle. “Have a good trip and call me when you get there,” he added. “Here’s your sister.”

“Gus?” Bree’s voice came on the line.

“Yes, short stuff.”

“I miss you.”

“I miss you too.”

“Can I come to Penn State with you?” Bree pleaded.

“Not this year.”

“You said that last year, but that man promised that I could go to school there.”

“You mean the dean? I think he meant you could go to Penn in a few years.”

“It’s not fair,” Bree declared.

“What’s not fair?”

“Everybody gets to go away, and I hafta stay here.”

Gus stifled a laugh. “You got to go to England,” he reminded her.

“That was a long time ago,” Bree whined.

“Sorry, short stuff, I can’t take you with me, but I’ll be home to see you before you know it. I want to hear a new song on the piano too.”

“Okaaayy,” Bree said not sounding happy.

“I love you,” Gus told her.

“I love you too.”

“Talk to you soon.”

“’Kay,” Bree said with resignation. 

Gus cut the connection. He then hit another number on speed dial. “JR?”

“Hi, Gus.”

“Are you going to be around for Mom when your mother arrives next week?”

“She’s your mother too,” JR reminded him.

“It doesn’t feel much like it at the moment.”

“I know what you mean,” JR agreed. “I do want to see Mama. It’s been … a long time since she was here.”

“Yeah.”

“I’ll make sure I’m around, Gus.”

“Thanks, and let me know if you find out anything, or if … it doesn’t go so well,” Gus advised.

“You think they’re going to fight?” JR asked in shock.

“I honestly don’t know what to expect. I think Mom’s going to need lots of support.”

“Okay, Gus, drive carefully tomorrow.”

Gus sighed. “I will. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Gus hit ‘end’ on his phone. He drew in a deep breath and dialed once more. “Mama?”

“Hello, Gus. How are you?” Melanie asked.

“I’m fine. How are you?”

“You … you sound so formal.”

“How should I sound?”

“You’re angry.”

“What did you expect? Should I give you a medal for breaking up our family?” Gus asked bitterly.

“That’s not fair.”

“Fair! Don’t talk to me about fair.” Gus could feel himself getting angrier and angrier as he talked to his mother.

“If you called to yell at me, I’m hanging up,” Melanie threatened.

“I … I’m sorry. I called to find out when you arrive in Pittsburgh.”

“Wednesday afternoon, next week, why?”

“I’d like to be here, but I’ll be at university.”

“Oh yes, I’m sorry you won’t be there.” Gus knew she hadn’t even thought about that until he had mentioned it. “You leave for Penn State tomorrow?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, drive carefully.”

“Right,” Gus said with a major sigh. “Bye.”

“Bye, Gus.”

Gus cut the connection and tossed the phone onto his bed. No wonder people called her a bitch. He stared up at the ceiling for a minute wondering what he should do. With no answers forthcoming, he stood up and called downstairs, “Need any help, Mom?”

“Sure, sweetheart, come join me.”

That was all he could do for now. He ran down the stairs.



*****



“Ladies and Gentlemen, honored guests and members of the fourth estate. The Sidney Bloom Gallery is proud to present our Emerging Artists Show!” Sidney announced loudly and with flare in the foyer of the gallery. Lindsay and Justin were smiling at his side. The gallery erupted with applause. Sidney, Lindsay and Justin greeted their guests as they began to fan out to take in the exhibits.

“Oh my dear, dear Sidney,” the Sarah Kingsley gushed, “this is so exciting! I’m hoping to see some real talent here tonight and to meet some of our emerging artists! You know how fond my Art Society Committee is of our local talent. We’re all looking forward to the next young deserving artist to sponsor now that our dear Justin Taylor and Ethan Gold no longer need our sponsorship!”

It took all of Sidney’s resolve not to roll his eyes at the notion that Justin or Ethan ever needed any of Sarah or her committee’s help to become world renowned artists in their specialty. However, Sidney would never smite Sarah Kingsley or her committee, who consisted of several of the wealthiest matrons in Pennsylvania. Sidney’s mother raised no fool.

“My dear, Sarah!” Sidney returned the greeting in kind. They hugged and air kissed for the press. Sidney threw a quick glare over Sarah’s shoulder at his assistant and resident artist as they giggled at Sidney. Lindsay and Justin made a hasty escape into the main room of the gallery before Sarah could capture them as well. They realized each would have to spend some time in her presence, but they both agreed Sidney deserved first honors.

“Sarah, have you met Jamie Cunningham?” Sidney asked as he motioned the young artist and teacher over. “This young woman works in a fascinating medium and finds time to teach at the institute, molding new artists.”

“Really? Please tell me more!” Sidney led Sarah and Jamie to Jamie’s pieces, allowing her to explain her process and the inspiration for her work. While the ladies were deep in conversation, Sidney made his own escape to mingle with the other guests.

“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian greeted his spouse. Brian found Justin ‘hiding’ amongst the Rage and other comic inspired exhibits. The younger artists were all milling about in that section comparing styles. They all agreed that Lacy’s superhero renditions were worthy of Justin, and so were those of the unknown C. Hobbs.

“Hey,” Justin responded, giving his favorite model a bright smile. “I’m so glad you’re here.”

“Need rescuing already? This shindig’s barely started.”

“I know. But it started with the Sarah Kingsley declaring to the world that she’s responsible for making me a success.” Brian narrowed his eyes. “Brian, don’t do or say anything to upset her,” Justin added quickly, regretting his comment. “She likes to believe that she and her committee discovered us,” Justin said, making quote marks in the air when he said, discovered. “And in a certain respect, she’s right.”

“But that busybody...”

“Is a wealthy woman with lots of wealthy friends and they do help to connect many artists with the right people. And it’s those people that propel the artists toward success.”

“Okay, I can see your point but you’re the one with the talent and perseverance. And it was Sidney who had all the right connections,” Brian wisely pointed out.

“And it was your faith in me,” Justin said as he lovingly gazed into the hazel eyes he adored so much. “Your faith in me and my talent has never wavered. You pushed...”

“Mostly in the wrong direction,” Brian admitted softly, looking down at his Prada boots. 

Justin took Brian’s chin in his hand. “Whenever you pushed, you only had my best interests at heart. I love you, Bri, and it’s all worked out. No apologies, no regrets.” Justin led his spouse behind a large foam core cutout of Rage and Zephyr then proceeded to ram his tongue down Brian’s throat.

“Holy tonsil bath, JT! What was that for?” Brian asked when he was allowed up for air.

“Just reminding you how important you are to me,” Justin replied with a smug smile. He loved having the ability to rock Brian’s world.

“Then why don’t we blow this popsicle stand so that Rage can fly you to his lair and take you on his restorative bed,” Brian murmured suggestively into the blond locks. 

“Oh, I so wish I could,” Justin groaned as he thumped his head against Brian’s chest in frustration. “I really wish I could but...”

“You have to make nice-nice with the emerging artists and the Sarah Kingsley,” Brian finished Justin’s statement.

“Yeah.”

“Together?” Brian said, straightening his back and holding out his hand to his spouse.

“Together,” Justin agreed, taking the proffered hand. Hand in hand, they went back to the main gallery to face the press and Sarah Kingsley.



*****



“You remind me of Brian,” Lindsay chuckled as Leda scowled at the crowd of reporters surrounding Jamie. 

“They’re sucking the air out of the room.”

“No, they’re not. Here, have a glass of wine,” Lindsay said as she took two glasses off a tray from a passing waiter then handed one to Leda.

“And that’s another thing. Jamie shouldn’t be drinking.”

“She’s not.”

“Then what’s that glass of pale liquid in her hand?” Leda growled making Lindsay laugh more. She was taking delight in Leda’s cave woman routine.

“White grape juice. I have several bottles set aside for her. All the wait staff have been informed, so don’t worry.”

“I...thank you. After all that happened between us, you’d do that for me? What was Melanie thinking, leaving a wonderful woman like you?”

“I’m not that wonderful. Besides, I wouldn’t harm Jamie or your baby.”

“Lindsay, please, don’t sell yourself short. You are a beautiful, sexy, intelligent woman. And a fantastic mother. If I become half the mother you are, I’ll think myself lucky.”

“You’ll be a great mother. You’re intelligent, very enterprising and just as creative as Jamie. Even if it does manifest itself in motorcycle grease. And Jamie is making some valuable contacts.” Lindsay indicated the press and art patrons that were showing interest in Jamie’s work.

“About that.”

“What about it?”

“I’m afraid she’ll wake up one morning and decide she’s better off with them instead of me.”

“Oh now you do remind me of Brian,” Lindsay countered. Leda gave her an incredulous look. “He had a habit of doubting Justin.” Leda’s eyes opened wide. “That didn’t come out right. Brian seemed to think that for Justin to reach his potential, he had to do it away from Brian. And the times they were apart, they were both miserable. They’re truly meant to be together.”

“But they’re so different,” Leda exclaimed as she scanned the room for Jamie. Jamie was giving an interview standing in front of one of her larger pieces. ‘Just like me and Jamie,’ Leda thought. 

“Yes, they are, but also alike in so many ways. Especially in the way that counts. Leda, Jamie is committed to you and your relationship.”

“She discussed our relationship with you?” Leda wasn’t too sure how she felt about Lindsay knowing their personal shit. 

Lindsay shook her head. “Jamie wanted assurance that spouses were invited to the opening. I assured her that spouses, partners, and family are more than welcome to attend. In fact, we insist upon it. Obviously, Brian attends as many shows as possible. I think he’s attended every one of Justin’s openings except the one he had in Chicago, but Brian hired a helicopter to take Justin to the airport so that he could get to the opening on time.”

“You’re kidding?”

“Nope. The thing landed in the field near their cottage.”

“Talk about devotion.”

“Leda, my point is, don’t second guess how Jamie feels. Talk to her. Brian learned to dump a lot of shit to get to where he is. Don’t ever stop working at your relationship. I think that’s the biggest mistake Melanie and I made. We took things for granted. If I’m ever in another relationship, I won’t make that mistake again.” 

Leda nodded as she looked toward Jamie and noticed her glass was almost empty. “Thank you, for everything,” Leda said as she flagged down a waiter. Lindsay watched as Leda walked over to Jamie with another glass of juice. Jamie greeted her with a loving smile.

“You should do that more often,” Brian commented.

“What?” Lindsay smiled serenely up at Brian.

“Smile. It looks good on you.”

“Looks good on you too.”

“Just one of my many qualities.”

“Modesty too.”

“I have many fine qualities.”

“Who told you that?”

“Bree, for one. She thinks I’m a very good Dada.”

“You’re an excellent Dada.”

“Gus thinks I’m hot shit.”

“I’m sure he does,” Lindsay chuckled. “And Justin?”

“He just thinks I’m hot.”

“And you’re a self centered bastard.”

“That too.” They both cracked up into laughter.

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For making me feel better. For caring about me.”

“Of course I care about you.”

“I know you care but it’s the way you care. I appreciate it. You and the family have made me feel so loved that I think no matter what happens between me and Mel, I can handle it.”

“Of course you can handle it, Wendy. Because you’re all grown up and the bad Cap’n Hook can never get to you. Besides, you have the fairies on your side. And we fairies always come on top!” Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek making Lindsay laugh.

“Peter, I thought you grew up?”

“That’s a myth,” Brian whispered in her ear then kissed her temple. “I love you, Wendy.”

“I love you too, Peter.” Brian gave her a hug. They both turned when they heard Sidney greet another one of his artists.

“Cassandra! And Ms. Cummings, so happy to see you both. Allow me to introduce you to some of your fellow artists and our guests,” Sidney said as he offered Janet his arm.

“She doesn’t look too tired tonight,” Lindsay murmured. Brian shrugged. The family was beginning to use the word tired as a euphemism for dying. “I better get over there.”

Brian offered Lindsay his arm then escorted her over to Candy and Janet.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 5







“Christopher, what is the problem?” Laura, his wife, shrieked from her own dressing room.

“This fucking tie,” Chris mumbled as he cringed at his wife’s tone. He knew from that tone that he was in deep shit. He did not want to go to wherever he was being forced to go but ‘Grandmama’ had spoken and now he was forced into this suit and tie.

“Christopher!” she yelled again as he heard her heels clicking on the floor coming toward his room. “I asked, what is the problem?”

“My tie,” Chris hissed at the mirror.

“Oh for heaven’s sake. You’ve been tying your own ties for years, why can’t you manage to tie it now?”

“Is it necessary that I attend this thing tonight? I did have plans.”

“Plans? Oh no, your plans do not consist of going to the club. Your plans are to escort me and Grandmama tonight,” Laura spat. “And I don’t like that tie,” she said just as he finally got it tied. “Wear this one,” she said as she looked through his tie rack. She handed Chris her selection then walked out. “We’re going to the Choral Society and then meeting Grandmama at the gallery. Now hurry up.”

Chris muttered several curses under his breath as he proceeded to pull off his tie.



*****



“Phone call, Ms. Peterson,” one of the gallery assistants whispered into Lindsay’s ear. Lindsay nodded then made a discreet exit from the main gallery to go to her office. She closed the door to cut out the noise and for privacy.

“Hello?”

“Hi.”

“Hello. Do you have your flight information?”

“Yes. I tried you at home but...”

“You could have left it on the machine.” ‘Or sent another fax or email, you bitch,’ Lindsay thought to herself.

“I, uh, um...”

“Let me get my date book,” Lindsay sighed as she opened the drawer to her desk. She could have just written down the information anywhere but Lindsay wanted a moment to gather her strength. “Okay, what’s you flight number? Liberty Air Flight 206, due at 6:30 pm on Tuesday. Fine. Will you be staying at the Plaza?”

“No.”

“No?”

“They’re overbooked, some convention I was told. I’ll be staying at the Days Inn.” Mel gave Lindsay the hotel information.

“Are we meeting at your old office?”

“Uh, no. I’d like to avoid lawyers for this.”

“You, avoiding lawyers. Since you’re a lawyer I imagine that’s all right for you.” Lindsay thought she heard Mel take a deep breath. “However, I prefer taking precautions. Bobby has already offered his services to me and I’m going to see if he’ll be available. I suggest we make a tentative appointment for Wednesday; that way you won’t be so jetlagged.”

“Uh, that’s fine.” Mel wasn’t expecting the confident tone in Lindsay’s voice. “I’ll see you on Wednesday.”

“Linds, I’m sorry to interrupt but we really need you out there,” another assistant stuck his head in her door.

“I’ll be right there,” she responded quickly. “Mel, I really have to go. I’ll see you on Wednesday.” Lindsay cut the connection then quickly rejoined the event.

“Sure,” Mel said to a dead phone.

Unbeknownst to Lindsay and Melanie, the close knit family of Lindsay’s portion of Pittsburgh had rallied. Brian had whispered a strong suggestion to the manager of the Plaza and, since Brian and Kinnetik wheeled a lot of power, the manager took the hint. If a Ms. Melanie Marcus attempted to book a room, the hotel was going to be overbooked. Several of the girls’ mutual friends and acquaintances were either out of town or extremely busy, unable to put Melanie up for a few days. Even Leda had declined to offer an invitation using Jamie’s pregnancy as a good excuse. Leda did not want to get in the middle of Lindsay, and Mel and Jamie certainly did not want to show any pretense of favoritism.

If Melanie Marcus was going to break up the home of Marcus and Peterson, she’d have to do it all on her own.



*****



“Mommy, do you think he’ll show?” Candy asked her mother who was sitting on a bench away from the crowd. She was sipping some juice from a pretty glass. Other than some dark circles under her eyes that were expertly concealed under her make-up, you couldn’t tell that Janet was sick.

“I really don’t know. Would it matter to you?”

“I think I’d like to meet him, finally,” Candy answered honestly.

“Please don’t count on it, sweetheart. Besides this is your night. I am so proud of you. Sidney said you sold a couple of your pieces and Mrs. Kingsley indicated that her Art Society might be interested in sponsoring you.”

“She’s a little...” Candy didn’t know how to describe the Sarah Kingsley. Neither did Janet; they both giggled in their quiet corner.

“Here you are!” Lindsay exclaimed as she came upon their bench. “I was wondering where you two were. A few more members of the Art Society have arrived and they want to meet.”

Candy gave Lindsay a startled look.

“It’ll be all right. They just want to ask you about the inspiration for your pieces,” Lindsay reassured the frightened emerging artist.

“Go on, sweetheart. This is what you came here for. I’ll be all right sitting here,” Janet nodded.

“But I feel bad leaving you all alone,” Candy told her mother. Just then Emmett made an appearance.

“Hi! Hi! Hi!” He swooped into their corner. “Hello ladies, may I offer you some refreshments?” he flamboyantly asked as he held out a tray of his most famous delicacies.

“Not for me,” Lindsay said. “I was just about to bring Candy over to speak with Mrs. Kingsley and her Art Society.”

“Well, then I’ll just keep Miss Janet company while you two hobnob with society,” Emmett said with his nose up in the air. The ladies laughed as he took up residence on the bench next to Janet. He winked at Lindsay who then spirited Candy away. Candy went willingly now that her mother wouldn’t be alone.

“Thank you, Emmett,” Janet said as she took a canapé.

“For what, honey?” Emmett asked coyly.

“I know what you’re doing and I appreciate it. Candy was reluctant to leave me by myself.”

“She’s a good girl. You’ve raised her right.”

“Oh I hope so. Being a single mother isn’t easy but we’ve been lucky.”

“Lucky?”

“Yes, I haven’t always been sick. We did have some great times together.”

“And I’m sure you’ll have more,” Emmett said as he patted her hand. Janet neither confirmed nor denied his statement. “How does Candy like her new school?”

Janet shook her head. “She’s not in school yet,” Janet replied.

“But why not? Richie started just after Labor Day!”

“We, I...” Janet had no idea how to explain.

“She’d be in the same class as JR, I imagine,” Emmett said trying to gain more information about why Candy wasn’t in school.

“I’m so afraid the other children would find out about us and then Candy would be miserable.”

“I don’t understand.”

“My master plan was to contact Cassandra’s father and he’d embrace having an almost grown child and then pay her way in a private school. Most private schools don’t care too much about your background as long as you have the money behind you.”

“But that didn’t happen.”

“No, I couldn’t even get in the front door at his house. So I have no clue where to send her, where she’ll feel safe and fit in. She’s so smart and loves to learn but...”

“Wait, I have an idea and I think the person who I need to speak with is attending this event. Stay right here; I’ll be right back. Oh and to keep you company,” Emmett stretched his neck. “Oh yes, there he is. Oh, Mr. Kinney?” Emmett called over to Brian who scowled at the mister part.

“What do you want, Honeycutt?” Brian growled as he sauntered over to them.

“I have to speak to your dear friend Tannis for a moment and Janet was just about to try one of your favorite treats.” Emmett held out his tray which contained several of his pear and blue cheese canapés. Brian’s eyebrow arched. “Would you mind keeping Miss Janet company and hold the tray?”

“Emmett, I’m an adman not a waiter,” Brian growled.

“Oh p-shaw,” Emmett said as he shoved the tray into Brian’s hands and then made him sit. Janet giggled at the antics. “Tonight you’re a waiter. I’ll only be a moment. You can extol the virtues of my canapés since I know how much you love them.”

“At least I’m in the company of a lovely woman instead of an old queen,” Brian flirted with Janet as Emmett grumbled then flitted away to find Tannis. “And tell my old friend Tannis she still owes me,” he called after Emmett. Brian held the tray in front of Janet and indicated which one she should try. “They really are good,” he whispered as she took one off the tray. “But don’t tell him I said so.” Janet laughed again as she prepared to take a bite.



*****



“So do you think it’s doable?” Emmett asked the stern looking woman dressed in her finest standing in front of him. Emmett just happened to corner Tannis in front of the Brian’s dick hanging out sketch. It looked all too familiar to Tannis from when she hosted the GLC art show. She twitched as Emmett wouldn’t let them walk to another part of the gallery. A naked Brian-free part of the gallery.

“I don’t see why not. Another student is always welcome.”

“But I don’t think she’s a lesbian or bi.”

“That’s not the point of our school. It’s a school that offers an education to children who have been affected by an LGBT issue, and I think the daughter of, of, that person has certainly been affected.”

“I can tell you that she doesn't have a prejudiced bone in her body,” Emmett assured Tannis.

“Emmett, we all have some prejudices; it’s how we act upon them that is all that matters. Tell Ms. Cummings to come by as soon as she can. We can get Candy enrolled quickly before she loses any more time.”

“Would it be permissible for Richie and me to introduce Candy and Janet around to the school and center?”

“I think that’s a great idea. It’ll be less daunting to have friends present. What about the tuition? We can offer a discount based on income but we do have overhead.”

“Don’t worry about that,” Emmett winked at Tannis. “I believe our Mr. Kinney may have an idea or two.” Emmett gave a toothy grin as Tannis groaned as if in pain. Emmett glanced at the several naked Brian paintings over Tannis’ shoulder with a sigh.

Tannis followed Emmett’s eyes then winced at how close she was standing to Brian’s dick. She gave a shudder then stalked off.

“All set! If you’re up to it tomorrow, Richie and I will take you and Candy to the Rainbow School and get Candy registered,” Emmett brightly announced to Janet and Brian.

“Rainbow School?”

“It’s a legitimate school hosted by our local GLC. All are welcomed. Consider it a private school.”

“But I don’t have the...”

“Janet,” Brian began before Emmett could. “The GLC has many backers offering scholarships and tuition assistance. Don’t worry about the money. Candy belongs in school. Both Justin and Lindsay have been talking about the possibility of Candy enrolling in PIFA when she’s ready. That won’t happen if she can’t keep up her grades. They have very high standards.” Emmett furiously nodded his head in agreement.

“I see I have no choice in the matter,” Janet conceded. Brian and Emmett were both wearing matching determined expressions.

“Now that that’s all settled. Can I get you more juice?” Emmett asked brightly as Brian put the tray again in front of Janet offering her another treat. The woman laughed at their solicitude then allowed them to care for her.



*****



“Yolanda, don’t tell me you’re all alone tonight?” Sarah asked her friend and fellow committee member.

“No, Sarah dear, but I couldn’t be in two places at once so I sent my dear granddaughter to attend the Choral Society meeting in my stead. She’ll be arriving a little later.”

“It’s so good to have cooperative family.”

“I agree. Your Sharon has always made herself available for these necessary meetings.”

“True. Now let me introduce you to some of our new artists. There are two young women in particular I insist you meet,” Sarah said as she waved her hand at Lindsay.

Lindsay, understanding the ‘signal’ trooped Jamie and Candy toward the committee ladies. “It’s show time!” Lindsay whispered to Jamie and Candy.

“Hey Sunshine,” Brian said as he walked up to Justin who was again surrounded by the press and artists who had pieces in the show. He handed Justin a cola.

“Hey.” Justin took a long drink. “Thanks. I’ve been talking my head off.”

“Then it’s time for a break. I happen to like your head just where it is.”

“Where have you been hiding?”

“Not hiding, just babysitting.”

“Babysitting?”

“Not really, I was sitting with Janet. Emmett was arranging to have Candy enrolled at the Rainbow School. And Candy is being introduced to the committee,” Brian explained what had transpired.

“Yeah, I think Sarah and her committee have adopted Jamie and Candy.” Brian winced. “Brian.” Justin gave his mate a poignant look.

“Not saying a word. As long as it works out for Jamie and Candy.”

“Ditto.”

“Can we leave yet?”

“Not yet. Have some patience.”

“I can be patient but not...”

“When it comes to you having your dick sucked,” Justin whispered closely. Brian smirked.

“It has been a while and I’m in the mood for some essence of Sunshine,” Brian purred suggestively into Justin’s ear.

“That’s not fair. And I can’t leave just yet.”

“The gods are against me.”

“You’re whining. Go have more of Emmett’s canapés. You’ll feel better.”

“The only way I’ll feel better is when you tell me I can take you home and fuck you into the mattress.”

“Just a little while longer. Now behave.”

“Yes, dear,” Brian said in his falsetto voice as he went to go bother Emmett.



*****



“What do these dots on my pictures mean?” Candy asked Lindsay who was affixing a red sticker to her last painting.

“It means that all of your paintings and sketches have been sold,” Lindsay informed the young artist.

“You’re kidding me!”

“No, she’s not, young lady, you have sold out,” Sidney reiterated. “And there are several requests for special commissions.”

“But I’m not good enough,” Candy protested.

“You most certainly are good enough and the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. A Rage afficionado purchased your comic inspired sketches. A Justin Taylor fan purchased your ‘Henge’ painting. There’s a buyer for almost everything. My dear young lady, this is the Sidney Bloom Gallery! We are at the forefront of modern art. Our patrons are always seeking to invest in the next Andy Warhol. And at the Sidney Bloom Gallery you may be assured to find him or her as the case may be,” Sidney said with much flare and conviction.

“Wow,” was all that Candy could respond with.

“Yes, wow. Now if you and your mother would come to my office we can discuss some business.” Sidney turned to go to his office as Lindsay went to get Janet from her bench.

“I can’t believe it,” Candy said to herself.

“What can’t you believe,” Justin asked as he walked toward her. She pointed at the stickers attached to her work. “Ah.” Justin smiled. “I’ll never forget the first piece I ever sold. I still pinch myself when Sidney tells me someone has made an offer for one of my paintings.”

“You do?”

“Yup. It still amazes me. Look, there’s your mom.” Candy looked over to see Lindsay with her mother. She looked so proud.

“Sidney wants us in his office.”

“Then you shouldn’t keep him waiting,” Justin said as he gave the girl who appeared stuck to the floor a gentle shove toward them.

“Now can we go home? The gallery is beginning to clear out,” Brian whined.

“Soon, I want to be around for Candy and her mother. It looks like she sold everything. Do you know how phenomenal that is? No one sells everything, Bri.”

“You do,” Brian said proudly as he leaned in to give Justin a loving kiss on the temple. “You’re phenomenal. Your passion for life and love shows in everything that you do. Look at Candy’s painting of your henge.”

“I think she captured it.”

“She did but that was only because you threw yourself into that project.”

“Brian, they’re only simple metal structures.”

“There is nothing simple about them. They’re huge and detailed in their own way. And they convey your love of nature and your passion for whimsy.”

“Passion for whimsy? Okay, who are you and what have you done with my Brian Kinney?” Justin giggled. “Passion for whimsy. Did you have too much champagne? Or did you overdose on Emmett’s pear and blue cheese canapés.”

“Neither. I’ve just been absorbing the culture,” Brian stated sounding a bit like Hudson.

“I think you’ve reached your saturation point,” Justin quipped.

The boys walked toward the front of the gallery where Justin began to say goodbye to some of the artists and members of the press. Sharon and Owen Brenner Sr. had come in at some point to view the show and to escort Sarah Kingsley home. The boys found them talking to Susan and Craig Taylor.

“When did he get here?” Justin asked.

“Not a clue.”

“But weren’t you out here?”

“I was in a business meeting with Tannis.”

“Tannis?”

“I’ll explain later, Sunshine, I promise. Let’s find out what the old goat is doing here.”

“Brian.”

“I’ll behave.”

“You better,” Justin threatened then turned a smiling face toward his step-mother and father. “Dad, Susan, I’m glad you made it.”

“So are we,” Susan said graciously as she gave Justin a kiss and shook Brian’s hand. Then she nonchalantly elbowed Craig who shook hands with his son and reluctantly with Brian.

“We ran into Sharon and Owen,” Craig said after he cleared his throat. “And of course, Sarah. I didn’t realize how involved she is with the gallery,” Craig commented as if it was a great revelation.

“Her Art Society committee takes a great interest in new artists,” Justin explained.

Flash cameras went off as more of the honored guests were preparing to leave. They and the press all wanted photographs of and with Justin. Even Craig and Susan were photographed. Brian inconspicuously stood off to one side while the cameras made love to his spouse. Sarah came over to speak with them before the Brenners took her home and she introduced the Taylors to her friend and fellow committee member, Yolanda Reynolds. More photographs were taken for the society pages. And Sarah insisted that Brian stand beside Justin for the pictures. Brian being a little sneaky stood slightly behind Justin so that he was partially obscured by the blond mane. However, Justin managed to move at the last moment, smiling up at Brian and eliciting a loving smile in return. The cameras ate it up.

“Grandmama! Are you here?” Laura came into the main gallery. “There you are, and Mrs. Kingsley! So wonderful to see you!” Laura gushed.

“This can not be little Laura Reynolds,” Sarah returned the greeting in kind. They kissed and hugged as Laura looped her arm through her grandmother’s. Yolanda whispered something into Sarah’s ear that nearly made the woman crack her dentures. Sarah patted Yolanda on the arm as she recovered her composure.

Not making any true connections between her brain and her mouth, Sarah proceeded to introduce Yolanda and Laura to the Taylors. “Yolanda, allow me to introduce Mr. and Mrs. Craig Taylor. They are the proud parents of our Justin Taylor.”

No one bothered to correct Sarah who was too deep into her own world to notice all the Taylors cringing and Brian scowling.

“Yolanda Reynolds is my co-chair of the Art Society Committee. And this is her lovely granddaughter Laura...oh dear, I’ve forgotten your surname. Forgive me, Laura, I’m so bad with names. A little hint, would you, dear.”

“Of course, Mrs. Kingsley. It’s...”

“Hobbs,” both Brian and Justin said at the same time, drowning out Laura, as Chris Hobbs entered the gallery.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 6







“Thank you for everything, Mr. Bloom. You and Ms. Peterson have been so kind to me and Cassandra,” Janet said as Sidney walked them out from his office toward the front of the gallery. Sidney had arranged for a car to take the ladies home.

“Please don’t thank me. Cassandra has real talent; it would be an injustice if we didn’t encourage her. This is what we do here. I promise if you and Cassandra allow, we will guide her in her career.” Janet nodded as she shook Sidney’s hand. He gently took her arm then offered his other arm to Candy. The teen took Sidney’s arm and the three walked to the front of the gallery.

“Chris?” Janet gasped when she saw the scowling, imposing figure standing in the front lobby of the gallery. She almost didn’t recognize the man she once was in love with. His hair was thinning and his once fit trim body was now sporting a substantial paunch.

“Janet?” Chris murmured as he curiously looked Janet over trying to suck in his gut. Gone was the perky cheerleader who had a severe case of hero worship and had been totally and completely in love with him. The girl that would do almost anything he asked of her including giving up her virginity.

“Mommy, is that...?” Candy leaned around Sidney to confirm if this angry man was the sperm donor who fathered her. Janet nodded at her daughter.

“Janet?” Chris did a double take at Janet and then stared at Candy, his jaw dropping.

“Craig, is that the man who...?” Susan began to ask her husband. Craig couldn’t respond. It had been almost twenty years since he saw the man who nearly killed his son. The man who was partially responsible for forever changing Craig’s life and the life of his family. The other man who was responsible for ruining his family was currently snarling at Hobbs, held back by Justin.

“Christopher!” Laura shrieked, glaring at her husband, demanding an explanation.

“Oh how lovely!” Sarah Kingsley exclaimed loudly to the stunned assembly. “You all know one another,” Sarah broadly smiled. “Yolanda, Laura dear, I really must leave. Sidney, I’ll be in touch. Good night all!” Sarah said with a royal wave as she left with her daughter and son-in-law who were both thinking that they’d love to be a fly on that wall.

“Bri, it’s all right, he has no power over us,” Justin said while keeping a firm grip on his spouse’s arm. Reluctantly, Brian stopped glaring at Hobbs and turned to face Justin. Strong determined blue eyes stared into his. “Bri, it’s been a long day and we have a long drive home. It’s time to go.”

Brian searched Justin’s eyes. Justin gave him a small reassuring smile. “Are you sure?” Brian asked softly.

“Yes.”

Brian nodded as he held out his hand. Justin looked down at Brian’s extended hand then again up into the intense hazel eyes. Finding all the strength and support he needed in them, Justin took Brian’s hand, lacing their fingers. They boldly faced Chris, Craig and the world.

“Sidney!” Justin said loudly, commanding everyone’s attention.

“Yes, my boy.”

“It’s been a wonderful night but it’s time to take my husband home. I’ll call you tomorrow afternoon, very late in the afternoon,” Justin said with a devious smile. Justin gave Candy and her mother a wink, causing the ladies to blush. Craig frowned as Susan chuckled.

“Of course, my lad!” Sidney replied knowingly. “Drive carefully and have a good night.”

“We intend to,” Brian and Justin said in unison.

Hands firmly clasped, Brian and Justin left the gallery.



*****



“Are you comfortable, Mom?” Candy asked.

Janet pulled the covers over her. She always seemed to be cold these days, even if the temperature was hot. “I’m good,” she said.

“Mom, can I ask you something?’

“Of course, sweetheart.”

“Why didn’t you want to talk to Chris Hobbs tonight?”

“You can call him your father,” Janet replied gently. “I don’t mind.”

“I do,” Candy declared. “He’s not a father to me. He’s my sperm donor. I saw the reaction of everyone there to him. I’m ashamed that I have his name. Why didn’t you give me your name? I would have liked that a lot better.”

Janet drew in a breath. “I guess I always hoped, especially back when I was pregnant, that someday your father would acknowledge you … and me.”

“But he never did,” Candy said bitterly.

Janet shook her head. “He was quite the jock and ladies’ man back in those days. I thought I’d won the brass ring when he started dating me.”

“He’s a jerk! He should have seen what a wonderful person you are.”

“That is such a lovely thing to say, Cassandra. And you’ve turned out to be a wonderful daughter, my darling girl.”

“We don’t need him, Mom. We have each other.”

“Yes we do,” Janet said with a gentle sigh.

“Do you want to sleep now?” Candy asked, as she noticed that her mother’s eyelids were starting to droop.

“I think that would be best.”

“We’ll talk more later,” Candy said softly as she left the room, pulling the door partially shut, but leaving it open enough so that she could easily hear if her mother needed her.

Candy walked to the kitchen and got a glass of juice. She sat down at the small kitchen table and stared across the room. This place was so much better than where they had been. They were very lucky all things considered. Her thoughts wandered to the man she had seen for the first time tonight, the man who was her father. She knew he didn’t deserve that title, but that was what the world would call him.

She studied the loft that Justin had helped them get. She wondered what Chris Hobbs’ house was like. It was probably a mansion, but Candy was sure that it wasn’t a happy place. She didn’t think Chris Hobbs looked like a happy man. Her mother, who was so sick, was much happier than he appeared to be.

With a sigh Candy finished her juice and decided it was time for bed. She was going to be going to school, she had sold all her artwork, and she might actually end up being an artist. And fuck Chris Hobbs!



*****



“I’m off to bed,” Sharon Brenner said to her husband. “Are you coming?”

“I’ll be up in a minute,” Owen replied as he listened to the news on TV.

“What do you think happened at the gallery after we left?”

“I have no idea.”

“Do you think Brian punched him?”

Owen turned in surprise to his wife. “Are you advocating violence?” he asked wondering what his wife meant by that question.

Sharon raised an eyebrow. “I didn’t say I wanted Brian to punch that oaf, but I wouldn’t have minded if he did.”

“You always manage to amaze me, my dear.” Owen gave an appreciative chuckle.

“I’m glad that’s the case,” Sharon laughed. “Are you coming to bed?” She batted her eyelashes at her husband.

“You know, I believe I will,” Owen said switching off the TV and wrapping his arm around his wife’s waist. He escorted his spunky little minx to their bedroom.



*****



“Craig, do you think Justin will be all right?”

“You mean after coming face to face with Hobbs?”

“Of course that’s what I mean.”

“He seemed to be in control.”

“We should have stayed to make sure he was all right.”

“I’m sure that husband of his will look after him,” Craig replied snidely.

“In case you didn’t notice, Justin was holding Brian back. From the look on his face Brian wanted to kill Chris Hobbs.”

“I never thought there’d be anything Brian Kinney and I would agree on, but wanting to kill that bastard seems to be the one thing we have in common.”

“Craig, I don’t like to hear talk of killing…”

“I’m sorry but that’s how I feel. You don’t know what Justin was like after the bashing. He couldn’t even come to court for Hobbs’ trial. That might have made the difference to Hobbs getting a sentence equal to the crime he committed.”

“Surely you’re not blaming Justin,” Susan said in horror.

“No, no, I’m not blaming him, but it was his heinous lifestyle that precipitated the whole event, him and that child molester Kinney. I still can’t believe that man had the gall to show up at Justin’s prom and put on such a show – dancing with my son and flaunting their disgusting lifestyle in front of the whole graduating class.”

“You are blaming Justin,” Susan said looking at her husband in disbelief.

“No I’m not,” Craig protested. “I blame Kinney.”

“I don’t see how you can blame one without the other, and why should either of them be to blame. They weren’t the ones who wielded the baseball bat.”

Craig winced. “I’m sorry, Susan. You know how I feel about Kinney. If his name comes up, I go a little crazy. I just can’t stand the man.”

“You managed pretty well at the gallery. I thought you were going to refuse to shake his hand. That would have been all over the newspapers. They like nothing better than a bit of cheap gossip.” Susan folded back the sheets on their bed. It was time to let this rest.

“Thank you for acknowledging the self-restraint I showed. It wasn’t easy.”

“I do give you credit for that,” Susan said, her voice more gentle. “Did you notice that Candy Hobbs and her mother didn’t speak to Chris?”

“Yes, that was a little strange. Hobbs actually seemed shocked to see them there. With Candy having entries in the show, you’d think he would have known.” Craig climbed into bed beside his wife.

“Janet’s very sick. I was thinking I might volunteer to take her some meals and visit with her while Candy’s in school.”

“Stay away from them, Susan. They’re all bad news.”

“If Justin can accept Candy and her mother, I think we should be able to as well. I don’t think they’re anything like this Hobbs fellow.”

Craig sighed. He hated arguing with his wife. “Be careful,” he advised. “I don’t think you should have anything to do with those people.”

“We’ll see,” Susan said with a slight smile. She snapped off the light and settled down into the bed. You had to choose your moments.



*****



“Godammit, Chris! What was that scene at the gallery all about?” Laura demanded as the couple entered their house.

They had driven a stiff and silent Yolanda home before returning to their own house. Laura had been beside herself, ready to tear a wide strip off her idiotic husband. She knew he didn’t have the best manners of the husbands in her social circle, but the idea of almost coming to blows with a renowned artist and his husband was unconscionable. She had been steaming all the way home after they dropped off her Grandmama, but she had bit her tongue until they were in the privacy of their own home. There had been enough scandalous behavior by her husband without her making matters worse. Now she wanted some answers.

“I…” Chris began, but didn’t know how to complete any statement other than one which would make the situation worse. When Laura continued to glare at him and wait for an answer, Chris finally said, “You should have told me Taylor would be there.”

“I didn’t have a detailed guest list, you moron! Justin Taylor had his own show a couple of weeks ago. You didn’t want to go to that, and I let you off the hook. How was I supposed to know he’d be at an emerging artists show?”

“You should check those things out,” Chris said.

“Are you trying to blame this mess on me? How dare you!”

“No, no,” Chris quickly backtracked. “I didn’t mean any such thing. But you know about the history I have with Taylor. Please make sure we don’t attend any of the same events. I can’t be responsible…”

“Responsible! That’ll be the day!” Laura snapped at her husband. “You’re better at dodging responsibility than almost anybody I know.”

“You mean there’s someone better?” Chris asked hoping that his wife would take that as a joke.

“You are beyond stupid sometimes. I don’t know why I ever married you in the first place. I must have been drunk.”

Chris tried not to smile so that his wife could see it. She had been drunk. “I can make you remember,” Chris said suggestively.

Laura shook her head. “And who was that woman, the one with the goth looking girl? They seemed to know you.”

“Um, they’re nobody. They just wanted to see a fight,” Chris lied.

Laura stared at her husband. She was sure there was more to it than that, but her husband had become increasingly difficult to read and control as the years had passed. Sometimes she wondered why she stayed with him. Her Grandmama did not approve of divorce and Laura was her favorite granddaughter. Laura stood to inherit a sizeable sum if she could stand being with her husband until her grandmother died. How many more years could that be? And then Chris Hobbs would be out the door faster than lightning.

“I’m going to bed. There better never be another incident like tonight. Do I make myself clear?” Chris nodded. “I don’t hear you,” Laura snapped at him.

“I understand,” Chris agreed grudgingly.

“And stay away from my bedroom until further notice,” she commanded as she left the room and headed upstairs.

Chris headed for the bar. He needed a drink, many drinks. He had dodged another bullet tonight … barely.



*****



“You okay?” Brian asked Justin. They were just passing the general store and would be home in a few minutes.

Justin had been silent the whole ride. He sat ramrod straight in his seat. His eyes stared out the front window of the Corvette, but it seemed unlikely that he was actually seeing anything.

“Justin,” Brian said softly.

Justin did not answer. He maintained the same stoic demeanor that he had ever since he and Brian had walked out of the Sidney Bloom Gallery. Justin had handled the scene so well, better than Brian. Brian had wanted to rip fucking Hobbs’ head off. He would have too if Justin hadn’t stepped in his way. That Hobbs asshole deserved to die as far as Brian was concerned.

It had been such a nice evening…to begin with. Candy and her mother had enjoyed themselves. Brian was able to facilitate Candy enrolling in the Rainbow School. He knew that was something that would please her mother. The woman had been through a lot, and she needed to know that Candy was safe and in school. Tannis had been very helpful, even though she didn’t like him. Brian had to smirk as he thought about his meeting with the woman in Sidney’s office.

Brian glanced over at Justin. This was getting ridiculous, scary even. “Justin, answer me, please,” Brian practically begged. He wished they were home and he could hold Justin in his arms. “Justin,” he repeated in a louder tone.

“I … I can’t believe Hobbs was there,” Justin mumbled.

Brian felt relief that Justin had finally spoken. Maybe they could talk this out. Maybe it would be all right. Brian turned to look at his husband. Justin was no longer stoic. He was shaking from head to toe.

Brian pulled the Corvette off the road and to a stop on the shoulder. He released his seatbelt and pulled Justin against him. Justin’s seatbelt held them somewhat apart, as Justin whispered Brian’s name. Brian reached down and managed to press the button on Justin’s seatbelt. He felt his husband melt into his arms, as he drew Justin tight against his body, seeking to protect the man who had meant everything to him for almost twenty years.

“Justin,” Brian whispered. “Justin, I’m here. He can’t hurt you.”

Justin shuddered a few more times, and then seemed to calm down. He leaned against Brian, letting the man support his weight and hold him tight. Brian wanted nothing other than to protect Justin from Hobbs, from horrific memories, from the world outside Edna’s Treasures.

“Justin, can you hear me?” Brian asked again.

“Why was he there, Brian? Why does he do this to me after all this time?”

“He has no power over you anymore, Justin. You bested him. He was speechless when you said you were taking your husband home. He had no answer.”

“Didn’t he? I don’t remember what I said,” Justin whispered.

“You said just the right thing. And you stopped me from killing him. I owe you big time.”

Justin gave a strangled laugh at Brian’s words. “I always protect you,” he managed to joke.

“And I protect you right back.”

“Yes you do,” Justin said looking into Brian’s eyes for the first time. His hand caressed Brian’s cheek.

“You’re going to be fine, Justin. We have each other. We have Bree and Gus and a wonderful family. Hobbs doesn’t even know his daughter. She’s a wonderful girl and he’s missing all that. She detests him. What kind of life is that?”

“We are lucky, aren’t we?” Justin asked. The shaking had completely stopped and the stiffness in Justin’s body was all but gone.

“I bet Hobbs hasn’t got any in a long time,” Brian joked. “His wife looks like a frigid bitch.”

“And you know all about frigid bitches,” Justin replied looking into Brian’s eyes.

Brian smiled. “Are you ready to go home now?” he asked. Justin nodded. “It’s just a few minutes more. Can I let go of you now?”

“Yeah,” Justin said sitting back in his seat. “Sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry. You have a lot of bad memories to deal with.” Brian pulled the car back onto the road.

“I can’t believe I let him affect me like that. I’m so glad we left Bree with John and Bobby. I would have scared her if she’d seen me like this.”

“Bree would understand. She’s a very smart little girl. And she’s not here anyway, so we don’t have to worry about it.”

“But she could have been. We take her to the gallery shows all the time.”

“I doubt Hobbs will come anywhere near the place again.”

“I thought that Yolanda woman was going to kill him,” Justin said with a chuckle.

“We should be so lucky,” Brian replied wryly.

“I think it scares me that Hobbs shows no remorse. It’s like he feels he was justified in what he did,” Justin said.

“He probably thinks he was. We know better.”

“Yeah, we do. I love you, you know.”

“I think I’ve figured that out after all this time,” Brian said. Justin seemed to be returning to his usual self. That was a good thing.

“Brian, when we get home, will you make love to me?” Justin asked in a voice barely above a whisper.

“It would be my pleasure, and I do mean pleasure.”

Justin smiled at his husband. Hobbs could go fuck himself. Justin had everything he needed right here with him.



*****



“Mom, how did the show go?” Gus asked when his mother answered the phone.

“It was a very good show. Lots of sales. Candy sold all her pieces.”

“Wow, that’s great. She and her mom must be really pleased.”

“They were, and then… Lindsay proceeded to tell her son all about the altercation between Hobbs and Justin and Brian.



*****



“I love you, Justin,” Brian said as he lowered Justin onto their bed.

Their naked bodies fit together perfectly as they always had. Justin wrapped his arms around Brian and held on as his husband did wondrous and scandalous things to his body. This was exactly what he needed to erase the memories that Chris Hobbs had resurrected. Justin knew he had nothing to fear while he was in Brian’s arms.

Brian made passionate love to his mate. They were made for each other, and nothing would ever change that. The bond they had could survive anything, including Chris fucking Hobbs. Brian poured all his love into their coupling. Justin would have no doubts about his life and future when Brian was finished with his efforts.

The lovemaking was slow and delicious, just what Justin needed. Brian always knew what Justin needed, and this was no exception. It was a wonderful night for them both, and a reaffirmation of how much they meant to each other.


Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 7





Melanie was walking through the airport toward the main exit. She was only staying for a few days, so to make her life easier, she carried her large shoulder bag and one small overnight bag.

Easier, Mel contemplated. Nothing seemed easy anymore. Her marriage broke up, her son was practically grown, away at college, and her daughter wanted none of her. This wasn’t what she envisioned her life was going to be like when she was a young up and coming lawyer fighting for Gay rights. Now, even some of the members of her own community appeared to want little of her as well. The lusty newness of her relationship with Lorna, both personal and professional, was still satisfying but it couldn’t take away her grief or her guilt. Maybe it never would.

Mel walked toward the row of taxis, got in the first one available then gave her instructions to the driver.



*****



Finding a neutral place where Lindsay and Melanie could meet to finalize their ‘divorce’ proved more difficult than one would imagine. Mel rejected the gallery, they both wanted nothing to do with the diner, it was bad enough the Liberty Avenue community already knew that the long time couple had finally split. For good this time. They didn’t need to air the details in public. And Mel’s former employer declined to allow her to use her old office. Bobby had come to the rescue. An associate law firm of his firm had a vacant meeting room available and as a courtesy offered the room.

“Do you think she’ll show?” Lindsay looked at her watch for the fiftieth time in ten minutes as she nervously paced the small room.

“She’ll show,” Bobby said confidently as he bit into one of Emmett’s popovers. He had a small basket sent over for them as well as a larger basket filled with an assortment of muffins and popovers for the office as a thank you. Lindsay glared at the red-head.

“How can you eat at a time like this?”

“I’m hungry. I had to do some fast rearranging of my schedule to be here, so I’m going to eat,” the man said taking another bite of the buttery roll.

“I’m sorry,” Lindsay sighed.

“I didn’t mean to snap. It was my fault. I forgot all about this when I said yes to the other meeting. Not to worry. I moved my appointment till tomorrow so I get to go home early today.” Bobby waggled his eyebrows. The familiar expression with all of its implications wasn’t wasted on Lindsay.

“So how is John?”

“He’s mighty fine,” Bobby said with a smug smile.

“You do know that you’ve picked up a lot of bad habits from your in-laws.”

“God, I hope so. Those two never seem to get enough of each other.”

“Jealous much?”

“Nah. John and I do all right.”

“I bet you do. Where the fuck is she?” Lindsay asked looking at her wrist again. She finally sat, pulling out her compact to check her makeup.

“You’re beautiful. She’ll be jealous as all hell,” Bobby reassured her. Just then Melanie burst through the door.

“I am so sorry. I would manage to find the only cab driver who didn’t know the business district and then we got stuck behind a bus for six blocks. Am I very late?” Mel nervously babbled on.

“N-,” Lindsay began but Bobby quickly interrupted her.

“Not too late,” he said with an annoyed glance at his watch. He set down the newspaper he was reading then pushed the basket of muffins at her. He then said, “If you’re ready, I’d like to begin. I believe we can wrap this up within the hour. I’m sure Lindsay has to get back to the gallery.” Bobby glanced at Lindsay. She nodded hesitantly not quite used to seeing Bobby in full lawyer mode. Not many of the family ever had. Most had always gone to Melanie and that was in part because she was in close proximity.

“The gallery?” Mel had almost forgotten that Lindsay still had her job at the gallery.

“Yes, Lindsay has two very successful shows going on right now.” Bobby tapped the Arts and Leisure section of The Times with his fingertip. On the front page there was a picture of Lindsay standing with several of Pittsburgh’s more prominent citizens including Justin, the Sarah Kingsley and the mayor. In an accompanying picture, Sidney Bloom was beaming with pride at Lindsay who was surrounded by her Emerging Artists.

“Oh yes, the gallery,” Mel said giving the paper a second glance then recovering enough to find her voice. “I suppose all that matters is the sale of the cottage. The profits from that will more than cover my half of the house. Were you able to find a buyer?” Mel asked in an accusatory tone.

Very well prepared, Bobby slid a proposal across the table. Mel picked up the document and had to keep her eyes from bugging out of her head. A Mr. Kevin Riley was prepared with a very generous offer. The offer included whatever furniture and appliances the girls didn’t want to take and he even offered to ship Melanie’s desk, recognizing the sentimental value of the piece.

“This is...” Melanie was stunned. She didn’t think Lindsay was capable of finding a buyer, especially not one so amenable. “Umm, why so much?”

“Mr. Riley wants to take possession as soon as possible to enjoy the cottage before the season changes. He is associated with the philharmonic; rehearsals for the holiday concerts will begin in a couple of months. He won’t have much time to be there during the holidays,” Bobby explained.

“Oh, well, that does sound reasonable.”

“And of course the quicker we can close on the cottage, the quicker Lindsay can buy out your half of the house. You’ll be free to pursue whatever you wish in Portland,” Bobby went on coolly.

“Yes. What about the rest of my things in the house?” She didn’t have much left there. She had been systematically asking Lindsay to pack up her things for shipping.
“With Lindsay’s permission, I’ll drive you over after this meeting. We’ve prepared several cartons. I can help you pack up and then handle the shipping.”

“I thought...” Mel began.

‘Oh yeah,’ Bobby thought to himself. ‘You thought you’d get Lindsay alone then fuck with her head. Not on your life, bitch. I won’t give you the opportunity or the satisfaction.’

“Lindsay has another appointment at the gallery,” Bobby said curtly. “If you’re satisfied with the offer for the cottage then I see no other difficulties. I’m sure you know where to sign,” Bobby said offering Mel a pen.

“What about the children?” Mel added quickly.

“What about them? Gus is of legal age and away at college. His expenses are being provided for by his mother and father. As for JR, Lindsay is prepared to help support her and she will always have a home at the house. However, JR has no intention of leaving her father’s home at this time. You’ll have to make your own arrangements with him.”

“And I suppose you’re representing Michael,” Mel asked in challenge.

“No, that would be a conflict of interest. I believe a Mr. Kurtzman is representing Michael and JR’s interests.”

“But that’s...never mind. The offer for the cottage is more than generous as you are well aware,” Mel said taking the pen in her hand then signing all copies of the documents in all the required places. She passed the documents back to Bobby who then slid them to Lindsay. Bobby handed another pen to Lindsay who signed while trying to maintain a brave face.

“Well, I think that’s it,” Bobby said as he stood to distribute the signed papers to the ladies then he put his own copy in his briefcase. He grabbed another popover and took a large bite. “I think we should let Lindsay get to her appointment while I drive you over to the house,” he said after he swallowed. Lindsay handed Bobby her keys. “I’ll arrange to have the locks changed when we’re finished,” Bobby said while patting Lindsay’s arm. “And I’ll make sure JR has a key as well as Gus.”

“Please give one to Brian, just in case,” Lindsay murmured.

Bobby smiled. “I’ll take care of it.” Bobby then turned his full attention to Melanie, who was thinking that this felt like an episode of the Twilight Zone. “Are you ready to go?”

“Yes,” Mel said softly. She felt compelled to say something to Lindsay but she couldn’t think of anything appropriate to say. What can you say to someone you spent over twenty years with? She shoved her copy of the agreement in her bag then walked out the door that Bobby held open.

“Please wait here a moment,” Bobby requested. He quickly went back into the conference room closing the door behind him. “Are you okay?” Bobby asked Lindsay as he put his arms around her.

“I think so. I just can’t believe...” Another door opened, this one led to a private office attached to the conference room. Brian walked in to take charge of Lindsay as Bobby had arranged. The men exchanged looks. Brian then guided Lindsay into the private office. Bobby left knowing Brian would look after Lindsay.

“Let’s go,” Bobby said as he left the conference room finding Mel waiting in the hall.

Mel nodded then silently followed the red-head out and to his car.



*****



She walked through the house; most of her personal belongings had already been shipped. There was very little to pack. She went through her desk in their den. There were a couple of personal files she placed in a box. Bobby looked over her shoulder. She showed the documents to him; they were old client files that had nothing to do with Lindsay. Bobby nodded.

“How are John and Patrick?”

“Very well, thank you.”

“JR told me that Brian let Bree go to sleep away camp,” Mel tried to make small talk.

“Yes.” Bobby was having none of it.

“Look, Bobby...”

“No, you look. We were never the best of friends but I’ve always maintained a professional respect for you. Your work with the Jason Kemp Center, and advocating for Curtis when Raph and Hector were trying to adopt him was exemplary, but I’m here to protect my client’s interests not to rehash family events. Let’s just get this over with and we can all return to our lives.”

“Fine,” Mel acquiesced. She went through each room looking for anything left behind. Bobby followed her up to the attic. Never seeing it before, it looked like just what it was, a studio. Mel hadn’t seen it in use like this in years. Now, it was filled with Lindsay’s sketches and watercolors. Most of the pictures were of family. JR, Gus, even Bree and Patrick were prominently displayed.

“These are incredible,” Bobby remarked as he focused on a sketch of Bree kicking a soccer ball with Patrick in the background with a baseball in mid toss.

“I never gave her much credit or support when it came to her art,” Mel whispered as she scanned the room. Bobby heard but was polite enough to say nothing. “There’s nothing here that belongs to me,” Melanie said as they left the attic studio.

Mel sorted through the boxes that Lindsay had piled up in the living room. They were mostly filled with Melanie’s clothes and shoes. “I guess that’s it,” she said as she handed her key over to Bobby. It didn’t matter much; she knew Bobby’s threat to change the locks wasn’t an idle one.

“I’ll take you to your hotel.”

“Okay,” Mel said meekly as she took one last look around. They walked out the door. Bobby locked up, pocketing the keys. He escorted Mel to his car then drove to her hotel.

“I’ll send you an email with the tracking numbers of the boxes,” Bobby said as he got out to open the passenger side door for Melanie. “Take care of yourself, Melanie, stay well,” Bobby said holding out his hand. Mel looked down then up into the blue grey eyes. Seeing no malice, Melanie shook his hand. Bobby got back into his car and drove away. Mel took a deep shuddering breath then went inside.

Bobby drove back to Lindsay’s house as quickly as the law and lights would allow. He had arranged for a shipping company to seal the boxes then take them away. He wanted everything done before Lindsay got back home. Brian was also prepared to stay with Lindsay if he felt she couldn’t be left alone. Several of the family and friends had already made lunch and dinner dates with Lindsay to keep her mind occupied until Mel was safely on the next plane out of the Pitts. Many of her friends just wanted to renew their friendships. JR had to be coerced by her father into seeing her mother but in the end JR was going to do what was right. She and her mother were going to have dinner later.

A couple of hours later Bobby locked up Lindsay’s house again. He got back in his car and let out a loud breath. He pulled out his cell phone, hitting two on the speed dial. “It’s done,” he said when the call was answered. “They’re all gone. How is she? Good. Yeah, she was a brave little soldier this morning. Where are you? Okay, I’ll be right over. Order me something, I’m hungry. That’s all I have in common with your Sunshine. Leave my ass out of it!” Bobby cut the connection scowling at his phone for a second then burst out laughing. He started up the engine to drive over to Emmett’s Too.



*****



“Are you okay?” Brian asked gently.

Lindsay nodded. “I guess.”

“You don’t sound very sure.”

“That would be because I’m kind of numb. I still don’t really believe that it’s all over.”

“You handled it very well from what Bobby said,” Brian told her, hoping to make her feel better.

Lindsay nodded, but looked very thoughtful. After a minute she asked, “Brian, do you think there’s something wrong with me?” They were having a drink at Emmett’s bistro while they waited for Bobby to join them.

“I think you’re a beautiful, capable, intelligent woman, Wendy. Peter is very proud of you, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with you.”

“I guess I finally have to grow up, Peter. Sorry to leave you behind,” Lindsay said with a little twinkle in her eye. She always enjoyed getting one on Brian.

Brian noted the change of tone and was happy to see it. “You grew up a long time ago,” Brian assured her. “I know this is very hard.” He laid his hand on top of hers,

“How come you and Justin can make it work, and I can’t?”

“You did for a long time.”

Lindsay shook her head. “It’s been quite a while since we were really happy,” she admitted. “Are you and Justin happy?”

“Happier than I ever thought I could be, and I think Justin feels the same way,” Brian replied taking her question very seriously. This was not a time to joke.

“I know he feels the same. It’s written all over his face every time he looks at you.”

Brian smiled. “He is incredible. I’d do just about anything for one of his smiles.”

Lindsay grinned at Brian. “That’s what I want,” she said, “someone for whom I’d do anything to make them happy.”

“You’ll find that person.”

Lindsay shook her head and changed the subject. “I wonder how JR is doing with Mel?”

“She’s a strong girl,” Brian stated. “She’ll be fine.”

“Actually I was more worried about Mel,” Lindsay joked.

Brian smirked. “You have two great kids, Lindsay.”

“Yes, I do. Do you think Gus knew this might happen when he changed his name to yours?”

“I doubt it. He just wanted my name because I’m so adorable.”

Lindsay giggled and swatted his arm just as Bobby joined them.



*****



“Hello, Michael,” Melanie said as Michael opened the door to his house.

“Mel.”

“May I come in?”

“Certainly,” Michael said stepping back.

“Ben, it’s nice to see you again,” Melanie said as she stepped inside the house and noted that Ben was working at the table in the dining room. “How are you?”

“Not bad.”

Melanie felt the definite chill in the air. Both men had little to say to her, giving the tersest of responses. “Is JR ready to go to dinner?” she asked figuring she should get out of there as soon as possible.

“JR,” Michael called up the stairs.

“I’m coming,” a rather unhappy voice replied. Mel could see JR coming down the stairs very slowly.

“Hi, sweetheart,” Mel said cheerfully.

“Hi, Mama,” JR grudgingly replied.

“Let’s get going.”

“Okay.”

Nobody in this fucking house had more than two words to say to her at any one time. Melanie marched to the front door and waited for JR to join her.

Michael stepped beside his daughter and whispered, “It will be fine, honeybun. Do you have your phone?” JR nodded. “If you need me to come get you, just call.” JR nodded again and walked over to her mother. She let Mel hug her without returning the hug herself.

“I thought we could walk down to the corner and try the restaurant I saw there,” Mel said cheerily.

“Sure,” JR replied. She knew the food was awful there, but she didn’t intend to eat much anyway.

“How is school going?” Melanie asked as they walked along.

“Fine.”

“Are you still seeing Curtis?”

“Yes.”

“Are you two serious?”

“Enough.”

“JR, can you please answer me in more than one word.”

“I’ll try.” Melanie heaved a huge sigh of exasperation at her daughter’s brief response. “Well, that was two words,” JR said wickedly.

Melanie glared at her daughter who refused to meet her eyes. Thankfully they had arrived at the restaurant. Melanie yanked the door open and they entered. When they were seated and had ordered, the waitress brought Mel a martini and JR a Pepsi.

“When did you start drinking Pepsi?” Mel asked. “That’s your father’s drink.”

“Probably around the same time you started drinking martinis,” JR retorted. “Is that your new friend’s drink?”

“JR, that is uncalled for,” Melanie said trying to keep her voice low, when all she wanted to do was scream.

“I didn’t want to come to this dinner, mother. Daddy and Ben made me.”

“Why wouldn’t you want to have dinner with me?”

“Are you going to try to make me move to Portland?”

“No, no, not any time soon anyway.”

“But you might.”

“I know you want to stay with your father.”

“I like it there.”

“Then we’ll leave it like that … for now.”

“I’ll fight you, if you try to make me go to Portland,” JR stated. “I won’t go.”

“Okay, I get the point. I won’t do anything, all right?”

JR nodded and tried very hard to keep the look of satisfaction that she felt from showing on her face. “Okay, if you promise I can stay with daddy.”

“You can stay with Michael, but I would like you to come visit me. You might like Portland.”

“I doubt it,” JR replied. “You could visit me here.”

“I want you to see what my new life is like.”

“I liked our old life.”

Melanie shook her head. She was making no progress at all. “JR, would you be happy if you never saw me again?”

“Never … again?” JR asked uncertainly.

“That’s what I said.”

“Is … is that what you want?”

“No, it’s not what I want,” Melanie said, “but it seems like that’s what you want.”

“I just want to live here in Pittsburgh, and I’d like to have a family again.”

“I’ll always be your family,” Melanie said softly.

“I wish I believed that,” JR said as the waitress brought their dinners.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 8






Ben was watching Michael pace the living room floor as they were waiting for Mel and JR to return from dinner. They didn’t have too long to wait.

“That place sucks!” JR exclaimed as she burst through the front door. Mel was right behind her.

“Hey, Honeybun!” Michael greeted his daughter cheerfully. As cheerfully as a man could, who thought his daughter’s mother was going to take her away. “How was dinner?” he asked, totally oblivious to JR’s grumbles. Ben did his best not to roll his eyes.

“Daddy, pay attention!” JR demanded with a slight stamp of a foot. “Dinner sucked and the restaurant was yucky. I think I saw a bug in the ladies room.” JR shuddered and Mel made a distasteful facial expression.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart, I never knew that place was that bad. When I used to drive by, I thought it was kind of quaint.”

“We should have gone to the diner or Emmett’s place,” JR groused.

Before Mel could say anything, Ben interceded. “Sweetheart, you have school in the morning. Please go up and look over your homework. We’d like to talk to your mother,” Ben said.

“But if it’s about me, don’t you think I have a right to be here?”

“Honeybun...”

“JR, don’t argue,” Mel began.

“Sweetheart, I promise full disclosure after we talk,” Ben said calmly and reasonably. “We need to settle things.”

“And you don’t want to do it with a kid in the room. I get ya,” JR snapped.

“No, Baby, that's not it,” Michael began to whine.

“JR, don't be disrespectful!” Mel scolded as she stepped into JR’s personal space.

“Can we all keep calm?” Ben quickly interjected. “JR, we’re going to have an adult conversation and frankly I don’t know how long it will last. What I do know is that it’s a school night. You rushed through your homework to spend time with your mother. I’d like you to carefully check it over. If you have any questions about your homework or anything else, we’ll be happy to answer them after we’re finished,” Ben said giving JR a very poignant look.

JR carefully considered Ben. Ben smiled as he opened his arms for a hug. JR didn’t hesitate to move into his arms. Ben kissed the top of JR’s head then she turned and ran up the stairs. Mel was stunned into silence. She had her doubts that Michael could ever be a competent father in spite of how Hunter turned out. But seeing Ben with her daughter, any arguments she may have had about JR staying with her fathers went right out the window.

“Mel, would you like a glass of wine or a beer?” Ben offered like the congenial host he was.

“Yes, that would be nice,” Mel replied as she sat on the sofa. She looked around the room that was fashionably comfortable but not pretentious. Ben brought her a crisp summer wine. Mel took a large gulp.

“Melanie, I, we’d like for JR to stay here,” Michael stated mustering up as much courage as he could.

“I know. And it’s obvious JR would rather stay here. I think she loves you more than me,” Mel admitted pitifully.

“That’s not true,” Ben interjected. “She’s confused. This has been hard on her, on all of you. We live a quiet life here, Mel. Perhaps that’s all she needs, just a nice quiet place without any stress. And of course the rest of her family is here.”

“And her friends, yes I know. She’s told me that she doesn’t want to leave.”

“Mel, it’s not forever and it’s not like you’re halfway around the world,” Michael added. And then regretted his words. Oregon wasn’t down the street either. “I mean, we can put her on a plane for the winter break and maybe the spring break, if she wants to go.”

“But she’s my daughter!”

“And Michael’s and Lindsay’s,” Ben added.

Mel finished off her wine then stood up.

“Mel, no one’s taking her away from you,” Michael said as he looked to Ben for support. Ben nodded at his spouse. “We’d just like to share her more and get to know her better. You’ve been a great mother for most of her life. We’d like the chance to be her daddies. Please, Mel, give us this chance,” Michael pleaded.

Mel looked into Michael’s eyes. Kind eyes, Mel thought. It was one of the reasons why she had chosen Michael to be the father.

“Okay. I know you both love her. I promise I won’t make any trouble. Or make it harder on JR. You’re right about it being quiet and calm here. She didn’t have that this past spring. There was always something we were arguing about. It was bad for her, for me and Linds too,” Mel admitted with tears in her eyes. She quickly swiped at her eyes. “I better be going, my flight leaves at the crack of dawn.”

Ben sprinted up the stairs to get JR while Michael gave Mel a hug. “I promise we’ll take good care of her.”

“I know you will, Michael. I know how much you love her.”

“What’s not to love? She’s perfect,” Michael smiled as JR coming stomping down the stairs. “Graceful too,” he teased, eliciting a grin from Mel.

“Come here, Baby,” Mel said as she opened her arms for a hug. JR went to her mother. Ben and Michael went into the kitchen to give the girls more privacy. “You be good for your father and Ben. Study hard. And I’m only a phone call away.”

“Okay, Mama. Thank you,” JR said as she hugged the petite woman harder.

“Oof, have you been taking hugging lessons from Debbie,” Mel teased.

“It’s in the genes.”

“I guess it is. I love you.”

“I love you too, Mama,” JR said as she walked her mother to the door. “Daddy, Mama’s leaving!” JR shrieked toward the kitchen.

“Voice lessons too,” Mel said sticking a finger in her ear. JR blushed.

The guys came out from the kitchen to say goodbye.

“Thank you,” Mel said as she gave each of the men a kiss.

“Thank you, Mel,” Michael repeated. Ben nodded.

“Good night,” Mel said as she left.

There was an awkward silence as JR stared at the closed door. Michael wanted to rush his daughter into hug. Ben held him back for a moment with a shake of his head.

“So I guess that’s it,” JR said as she took a deep cleansing breath.

“Are you all right with it?” Ben ventured.

“Yeah, I am. I’ll never stop hoping that Mama comes back but I really want to stay here.”

“What about your mother?” Ben asked. Michael was still too in shock to say much of anything.

“I love Mommy but I think she needs this time to really get to know herself, and we promised to have dinner or do something at least once a week. Besides, she doesn’t need to worry about me right now.”

“Parents never stop worrying about their children,” Michael found his voice.

“I know, Daddy, but Mommy was so unhappy.”

“You’re not blaming yourself, are you?” Ben asked sensing something in JR.

“Sometimes,” JR admitted as she looked down at the floor. “All that shit that happened around PRIDE. Maybe if I wasn’t so...”

“No, Honeybun! This has nothing to do with you. Your mommies were having problems for years.” Michael drew his daughter into his arms. “I promise you, Baby, this has nothing to do with you.” Michael held JR tightly as she sniffled. He looked up at Ben for help. Ben just smiled. Michael was doing just fine.

“So that restaurant was really bad?” Ben said after a while.

“It sucked!” came a muffled response somewhere from Michael’s chest. Michael and Ben chuckled.

“Well let’s see if we can rustle up something for you to eat, then we can go over your homework,” Ben suggested.

“Okay, Dad,” JR said as she wiped her eyes and moved out of her father’s arms. “But um, no tofu, okay?” JR looked up at the big man.

Ben laughed heartily. “I promise, no tofu.”

“Yes!” JR shrieked thrusting her fist up in the air as they walked to the kitchen.



*****



“Linds, it’s Mel,” the voice came across the phone line.

“Yes?” Lindsay asked guardedly. She had truly not expected to hear from her wife again.

“I … I called to say goodbye, and to make sure you were okay.”

“I’m not your responsibility anymore,” Lindsay replied frostily.

“I, I know that, but it doesn’t mean I don’t worry.”

“That’s very noble of you, I’m sure.”

“Linds, can we at least try to be friends?”

“We might have a better shot at that than at being married,” Lindsay said bitterly.

“We have children together. I think we should be able to communicate with each other … for their sakes.”

Lindsay sighed heavily. “You’re right,” she admitted. “And speaking of our children, what have you decided to do about JR?”

“She’s going to be staying with her fathers … for now. I’m hoping she’ll come visit me during school breaks.”

“I’m sure she will.”

“I understand that she has been spending time with you.”

“Yes, we seem to be getting along reasonably well. This divorce has hit her hard.” Lindsay couldn’t keep herself from adding that piece of information.

“I’m aware of that, but you know it’s for the best.”

“Yes, I believe it is,” Lindsay stated.

Melanie was more than a little surprised to hear Lindsay say that. “Are you glad to be rid of me?”

“As you said, it’s for the best that we end our marriage. I don’t think it was working for either of us,” Lindsay admitted to Melanie and to herself.

“We did have some good times though, didn’t we?”

“Yes we did,” Lindsay replied and left it at that.

“My plane leaves at the crack of dawn, so I better say goodnight and get some sleep.”

“You do that,” Lindsay said. “Goodbye, Mel.”

“Bye, Linds.”

Lindsay set down the phone. She thought about this unexpected call. Maybe Mel had some regrets too. They had been through a lot together. A little tear trickled down her cheek. Sweeping it aside, she drew in a deep breath, picked up the phone, and hit the familiar number.

“Gus, it’s mom. I just talked to Mel and I wanted to fill you in on what she had to say…”



*****



“Hi, Bree, whatcha lookin’ at?” Ashley asked as she joined her friend at recess.

“Her,” Bree replied staring at the girl who was sitting on a curb reading a book.

Ashley followed Bree’s line of sight. “Who’s she?” Ashley wanted to know.

“That’s Hope. Her mother teaches me piano. She comes with her every time I have a lesson.”

“Why are you staring at her?”

“I’m trying to figure something out.”

“Figure what out?” Ashley asked screwing up her face. She couldn’t figure out why Bree was so interested in this girl.

“Hope doesn’t like me,” Bree stated.

“That’s stupid. Everybody likes you,” Ashley declared.

Bree smiled. “Not everybody, but I never did nothin’ to her. I don’t know why she doesn’t like me.”

“Why don’t you ask her?”

Bree looked at her friend. Maybe that was the best thing to do. “She probably won’t talk to me,” Bree said.

“Do you want me to ask her?” Ashley volunteered.

“You’d do that?”

“Sure.”

“She’ll probably yell at you, and be really rude.”

Ashley frowned. Who was this scary girl? “I can do it,” Ashley said knowing that she would do just about anything for her friend.

“I should probably be the one.”

“You don’t want to talk to her, do you?”

“No, she’s mean.”

“You’re not afraid of her, are you? You’re not afraid of anything,” Ashley reminded her friend.

Bree knew that wasn’t exactly true. There were some things she was afraid of, and one of them was Hope. However, she really wanted an answer as to why Hope didn’t like her. “I guess I could go talk to her,” Bree said uncertainly.

“I’ll be right here,” Ashley said. “If you need help, just call me.”

“’Kay,” Bree said standing up straight and walking towards Hope. “Hi, Hope,” she said as she neared the girl.

Hope raised her head from her book and saw who had spoken to her. “What do you want?” she asked nastily.

“What are you reading?” Bree asked hoping to break the ice and get Hope to talk to her.

“None of your business. Go away.”

“Why don’t you like me?” Bree asked when the other tactic didn’t seem to be working.

“Why should I like you?” Hope demanded with an annoyed look on her face.

“I didn’t do nothin’ to you,” Bree said.

“You’re a spoiled brat,” Hope replied and went back to reading her book.

“I am not!” Bree declared.

“Go away.”

“I’m not a spoiled brat, and I don’t hafta go away.”

“Then I’ll go,” Hope said standing up and looming over Bree. She started to walk away, looking for a new place to read her book in peace.

“You’re awful mean,” Bree said to her back.

Hope whirled around. “What do you know about anything? You’ve got two fathers and I don’t even have my one father most of the time. He’s always away and I never get to see him. And you don’t appreciate anything because you’re a childish, spoiled brat. I hate you!” Hope shouted as she marched away.

Bree blinked back tears that started to sting her eyes. Nobody talked to her like that. She stared at Hope who went to a big rock on the playground and sat down to continue reading her book. Before Hope opened the book, she looked over at Bree, glaring at her. When she saw that Bree was upset, an evil smile spread across her face. Bree shuddered at the sight.

“Are you okay?” Ashley asked as she ran over to Bree.

“She’s an awful person,” Bree said gulping back tears. “She said I was a childish, spoiled brat,” Bree quoted.

“Wow! She is mean.”

“I know.”

“Are you going to tell your dads?”

Bree thought about that for a moment. If she told her fathers, they would probably make her stop taking piano lessons with Hope’s mother. She wanted to continue her lessons. But if she kept quiet, Hope would say more bad things about her. Bree shook her head. “I don’t know what to do.”

“I think you should tell your dads,” Ashley said decisively.

“I don’t know,” Bree replied with a frown. She looked over at Hope who smirked at her, and then returned to the pages of her book.

Thankfully the bell rang so Bree didn’t have to make a decision right then.



*****



“Hi, sweetheart,” Justin said as Bree ran up to the car.

“Hi, Daddy.”

Justin helped her get situated in her booster seat in the car. Bree’s mind was running through the possibilities of what she might say to her father about Hope. Patrick arrived and got into the back seat beside Bree.

“Did you have a good day at school,” Justin asked the children as he got behind the wheel and pulled out of the school parking lot.

“It was okay,” Patrick replied.

“It was okay, ‘cept…” Bree began then hesitated to tell her father what had happened with Hope.

“’Cept what?” Justin asked with a frown. He looked at his daughter in the rearview mirror wondering what was making her look so unhappy. “Did something happen?” he asked.

“Um…”

“You might as well tell Uncle Justin, Bree. We know something’s wrong.”

Bree looked into her cousin’s hazel eyes. They looked so much like her Dada’s. “Hope was really mean to me today. She called me a childish, spoiled brat,” Bree blurted out, all her resolve to keep it a secret gone.

“Hope? You mean Faith’s daughter?” Justin asked in surprise. “She called you that?”

Bree nodded as the tears welled up once again. “She’s really mean.”

“I didn’t know she was like that,” Justin admitted. He had never taken much of a shine to the girl, but he didn’t think she would be cruel like that to Bree.

“She’s weird,” Patrick contributed.

Bree’s pigtails bounced as she nodded her head in agreement. She could always count on Patrick to support her.

“We need to talk more about this when we get home,” Justin said. “Maybe we should find you a different piano teacher.”

“But I like Miss Faith,” Bree said. Her worst fears were being realized. She was going to lose her piano lessons.

“There are other piano teachers,” Justin informed her.

“But I like my lessons,” Bree protested.

“We need to discuss this with Dada,” Justin stated. “Then we’ll decide what to do. Okay, sweetheart?”

“I guess so, Daddy,” Bree mumbled. Everything was going wrong and it was all Hope’s fault.

Patrick reached over and held her hand. That always made Bree feel better.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 9






“Mrs. Taylor? What are you doing here?” Janet asked as she slowly opened her apartment door part way.

“Please call me Susan, and I came to find out if you needed anything. I was out doing some shopping and I thought...”

“That’s so nice of you but I’m fine,” Janet said as she began to shut the door.

“Are you sure? You seem a little flushed,” Susan stated as she stuck her head partially into the doorway. Susan gasped with shock when she noticed the man sitting on the sofa. He quickly stood up.

“Mrs. Taylor, I can explain,” Janet said quickly.

“That’s not necessary,” Susan retorted. “I’m sorry I disturbed you.” Susan backed out of the doorway to leave.

“Mrs. Taylor? I thought she was a blond,” she heard the man say.

“Mrs. Taylor!” Janet called out before Susan got to the lobby. She stepped out of her apartment. “Susan, please,” Janet pleaded. Susan turned back toward Janet. She could see that Janet was upset and becoming fatigued.

“Let’s get you back inside,” Susan said gently. Janet accepted Susan’s help getting her to the couch. Susan took a colorful throw from the back of the sofa and carefully draped it across Janet’s legs.

“Please sit for a minute,” Janet begged. “I can explain.”

“Janet, you don’t owe me any explanation. You don’t even know me. I apologize for intruding,” Susan said gently.

“But I owe Justin something. He’s been so kind to me and Cassandra,” Janet said. Chris Hobbs snorted low. Janet cleared her throat then continued. “Chris found out that I tried to visit him. Then he tracked me down here.”

Janet looked toward Chris for affirmation or permission to go on, so it looked to Susan. Susan tried her best to keep her expression neutral.

“Mrs. Taylor.” Chris pronounced Susan’s name like it was an accusation. “I came here to discuss the eventual disposition of Cassandra.”

Susan stared at the man incredulously. “The eventual disposition of...? Do you have any human feelings at all?” Susan stood up incensed. She wanted to let Chris know exactly what she thought of him but thought better of it. It really wasn’t any of her business in spite of what he had done to her stepson. “Janet, I’ll come back another time. Please call me if you need anything at any time.” Susan pressed her card with her cell phone number on it into Janet’s hand, straightened out the blanket then left.

When Susan got outside and into her car, she found that she was trembling. She needed to speak to someone but wasn’t sure who to call. She dug into her bag to find her phone. Staring at the dial pad, Susan made a decision.

“Jennifer, it’s Susan, do you have a minute?”



*****



Lindsay was standing just outside the meeting room seemingly studying the vending machine.

“Miss Lindsay?” Candy came up to Lindsay.

“Hi, Candy. Aren’t you supposed to be in school?” Lindsay asked with a parental tone.

“I am in school. I go here at the Rainbow School but it’s my lunch period. I was looking for Richie,” Candy explained. “Sometimes we have lunch together.”

“Oh. He’s in there,” Lindsay said indicating the room she just came out of. Taped on the door was a “Do Not Disturb” sign. “It’s a support group. Nothing formal or confidential. We just get together to talk or vent.”

“What kind of support group?” Candy asked with some hesitation.

“The GLC runs many different groups but this one helps to cope with loss.”

“Loss?”

“Any kind of loss. I find it helps to talk to someone who’s experiencing similar feelings but not all wrapped up in them like my family would be.”

“Oh. Richie said he talks about his parents but I didn’t know what he really meant.” Candy was quiet for a minute as Lindsay finally selected a small bag of M&Ms.

“I really need chocolate right now,” Lindsay admitted with an embarrassed smile. Candy smiled and nodded with understanding.

“Miss Lindsay, do you think I can join the group?”

“Of course you can,” Lindsay said as she wrapped her arm around the teen. She pressed her lips to the dark blue-black hair. “Everyone is welcome. No one will judge you.” Candy sniffled a little. “Come on, we have about forty-five more minutes in there,” Lindsay said as she shared her M&Ms.

Lindsay opened the door to the meeting room then she and Candy quietly entered.



*****



“Thank you for meeting me,” Susan said as she sat down.

“My curiosity got the better of me and you sounded very upset on the phone,” Jennifer replied.

Jennifer was showing an apartment near the Village Diner so she suggested they meet there. Susan agreed. It was on the other side of town and afforded a little more privacy than meeting on Liberty Avenue. They ordered a couple of salads and diet colas.

“I was. I still am. But before I tell you why I have to say something first.”

Jennifer stopped picking at her salad to give Susan her undivided attention.

“I admire you. You’re intelligent, worldly and beautiful; and amazingly gracious to me. You also have a purpose to your life where I go around most of the time being a trophy wife.” Jennifer’s eyes widened. “I know what people think about me and Craig and I have no illusions about him. He can be so loving, so kind and considerate. And then other times I just want to smack the shit out of him and kick him out. I’ve come close to it but then I realize how much I love him. In spite of all his faults, I do love him. But loving him isn’t all encompassing. I may have a business degree but I haven’t worked since Craig and I married. I go to his parties, make small talk and I can bake a mean cookie but when it’s all said and done, it means nothing.”

Jennifer nodded. She worked hard at her business, as did Seth. It made her appreciate their time off together and afforded them the ability to give back to their community and to the family. Susan looked trapped.

“I had a talk with Debbie on Labor Day.” Jennifer winced in sympathy making Susan chuckle. “Yes, she cornered me. She made me take a good look at myself so I decided to try volunteer work. I’ve been going to the Vic Grassi House and putting all my baking skills to some good use in the kitchen.”

“I bet it’s been appreciated.”

“I think so, at least that’s what I’ve been told. I stopped by Janet Cummings’ apartment to check on her. To see if she needed any shopping to be done or a meal cooked. Her little girl shouldn’t have to be in charge all the time.” Jennifer nodded in agreement. “Jennifer, when I got there, she wasn’t alone. Chris Hobbs was there.”

Jennifer gasped nearly choking on a piece of tomato.

“He affected me the same way. He then proceeded to state that the purpose of his visit was to discuss the eventual disposition of Cassandra,” Susan said making quote signs in the air.

“What the fuck?” Jennifer let fly then apologized. “I’ve been hanging around the boys for far too long.” Susan shrugged it off.

“I was so shocked by his demeanor that I had to leave. That’s when I called you. As bad as Craig can get, at least he’s human. That man...”

“I know,” Jennifer gently said. “When Justin was hurt, at the trial, Hobbs was just so cold. Like he had no regard for human life at all. Craig hurt Brian, he hurt my son but…”

“He isn’t inhuman about it.”

“No, he isn’t.”

The ladies silently finished eating their salads and sipped their sodas.

“So what do we do about it?” Susan asked.

“I don’t think there’s much we can do about it. Cassandra is the daughter of Chris Hobbs. If Janet dies and no one else comes forward, and if Hobbs pushes, he will get custody,” Jennifer recapped the facts they knew.

“And that sweet girl is at risk for turning out like Hobbs,” Susan stated. Jennifer agreed.



*****



“Good afternoon, Miss Joan!” Emmett cheerfully addressed Joan as he walked into the bookstore. “How are you today?”

“I’m very well, Emmett. And how are you?”

“Wondering how goes the plans?”

“Plans?”

“Yes. The plans for the boys.” Emmett winked at Joan.

“Are you referring to the anniversary party plans?”

“Yes. I was wondering what stage we’re at.”

“We’re in the ‘we have no idea where to hold this party’ stage.”

“But you and Debbie appeared so confident at the barbecue.”

“That was then.”

“What seems to be the problem?”

Joan stepped from behind the counter to stroll through the shop. She began to straighten up the bookshelves as she gathered her thoughts. Emmett followed.

“We can’t decide on the venue. Debbie thought the logical place was Edna’s Treasures. It’s so beautiful there and large enough for a family party. However Jennifer pointed out that the boys would probably take more than a passive interest in the preparations. We don’t want them working their own party.”

“No, of course not,” Emmett agreed.

“Jennifer suggested the Plaza. It’s large enough and centrally located. But then Debbie pointed out that the only one we would trust to do the catering would be you.”

“Why thank you, lovely lady,” Emmett beamed.

“But you’re one of their closest friends. It’s not fair for you to be working instead of joining in on the fun. We’re at a stalemate,” Joan looked dejected.

Emmett contemplated the situation then brightened. “May I suggest Papaganos. Alberto is a Kinney-Taylor fan and he loves the princess. If we start the planning now, we can reserve the whole restaurant. We limit the menu, keep it simple but elegant and I will handle the hors d’oeuvres and dessert. His service is excellent and I know Brian approves of his wine cellar. It’s a match made in heaven!”

“Just like the boys,” Joan murmured a bit solemnly.

“What’s wrong?” Emmett asked seriously.

“Nothing, sweetheart. Just the reality of the wasted time came to mind,” Joan sighed.

“Honey, that’s all in the past. The important thing is that you and your son have found each other. You have a family, a whole loving family. That’s all that matters,” Emmett said as he threw his arms around the older woman.

“Thank you, Emmett. I appreciate it. And I think your suggestion is perfect. I’ll phone the moms later tonight. Now, there’s just one more miracle to perform.”

“What’s that?”

“How do we get Craig Taylor at this party and stay to witness the renewal of the boys’ wedding vows?”

“Oh my!” Emmett exclaimed when he realized just what the ‘moms’ were planning. “So this isn’t just an anniversary party?”

“I thought you knew,” Joan said. Emmett shook his head, no. “From what I’ve been told the boys’ ceremony was rather a pivotal moment for them and the family. We were going to surprise them. It will be their tenth anniversary but they will have known each other for twenty years. We all agreed that this is something worthy of celebration.”

“Oh it is, but Craig Taylor!” Emmett looked horrified; Joan nodded.

Not only had she ignored the invitation to Brian and Justin’s commitment ceremony but so had Craig. This time, Debbie, Jennifer and Susan all agreed on how important Joan and Craig’s inclusion would be.

“Sometimes it just takes a fairy,” Joan quoted as she patted Emmett’s hand. Emmett shrugged, gave Joan a kiss on her cheek then left the bookstore. He had a lot of planning and praying to do.



*****



“Susan, it’s Janet Cummings,” a voice said into Susan Taylor’s cell phone.

“Is something wrong?” Susan asked, a frown wrinkling her brow. She looked over at Jennifer who was just finishing her coffee.

“You said if I needed anything, I should call you.”

“And you need me?”

“Yes,” Janet said breathily.

“I’ll be right there.”

Susan cut the connection and quickly explained to Jennifer that she had to leave. Jennifer offered to go with her, but Susan said she could handle this on her own. She really wanted to take charge of her own life. Jennifer said she would take care of the check, and Susan rushed off heading to Janet’s apartment.

When Susan arrived at the loft building, she managed to slip inside as someone else was leaving. She hoped Janet was well enough to answer the door. She had sounded pretty rocky on the phone. She knocked on the door of Janet’s apartment and waited with growing trepidation as no response was heard. She was about to call for help on her cell phone when the loft door slowly opened. Janet Cummings stood before her looking pale and shaky. She leaned heavily against the door.

“Let me help you,” Susan said allowing the woman to rest most of her weight against Susan. Susan placed her arm around Janet’s waist and they walked slowly to the couch. Once they arrived there, Susan lowered the sick woman slowly to the seat of the couch. She lifted Janet’s legs carefully and extended them on the sofa. She gathered some pillows and cushions propping them behind Janet’s back. The throw she had used before she carefully placed across Janet’s body.

“Can I get you some tea … or anything?”

Janet shook her head. “Thank you for coming,” she whispered.

“I’m happy to help. What can I do?”

“Nothing,” Janet said weakly. “I … I just need to talk to someone. He was so cold.”

“Chris?”

“Yes.”

“Maybe you should rest a bit before we talk. I’ll make some tea.”

“You won’t leave?” Janet asked as her eyes began to close. She was obviously exhausted.

“I won’t leave,” Susan promised. Susan continued to sit on the edge of the couch holding Janet’s hand until she was sure the woman was asleep. Finally she stood up and went to the door of the loft which they had forgotten to close when Susan assisted the ill woman to the couch. Susan returned to sit in an armchair facing the sofa. She studied the frail looking woman. This must be so hard on her and her daughter. Susan wondered if she should call anyone, but she couldn’t think of who that might be. The best she could do was stay with Janet until her daughter came home from school.

After a bit Janet went to the kitchen and found a teapot and a couple of mugs. She found some teabags in a canister. She filled the kettle ready to make tea if Janet woke up.

Susan found herself dozing off when she heard some movement. Her eyes were immediately open looking over at Janet from where Susan sat in the armchair.

“Hi,” Janet said softly. “Sorry about drifting off, but sometimes I just can’t keep my eyes open.”

“Not a problem,” Susan said standing up. “I’m going to put the kettle on for tea, and then we can have a talk.”

Janet nodded, giving Susan permission to make tea. Susan wished she had brought some of her chocolate chip cookies which would be so much tastier than what she had found in Janet’s cupboard. When they each had a cup of tea with some store bought cookies to nibble on, Susan broached the subject of Chris Hobbs.

“So, what happened with Candy’s father?’

“He’s such an ass. I don’t know what I ever saw in him,” Janet sighed.

“He came here today,” Susan reminded her. “That must mean something.”

“It just means that he doesn’t want Cassandra making trouble after I die. He offered to send her away to school. He said his wife had agreed to that, after a lot of promises on his part. He said I wouldn’t get a better offer.”

“How can he be so cruel to his own daughter?”

Janet shook her head. “I have to admit. I was tempted to accept the offer.”

“Accept?” Susan asked in horror. “But Candy would never want to be separated from you.”

“I know, but at least she would be safe, and she could get a decent education. I have nothing to leave her. She’ll be all on her own.”

“All by herself! With nobody to care about her. No school can replace family.”

A tear slid down Janet’s cheek. “I know. That was the part that stopped me from agreeing to his proposal.”

“So you told him no?”

Janet nodded. “I don’t want Candy under his control. As much as I would like to have some of his money to know that Cassandra would be looked after, I don’t want her to be isolated like that. I want her to have a family, even if it isn’t her real one.”

“She has a family … with you,” Susan said setting down her cup and taking Janet’s hand in hers. “There has to be another way.”

“That’s what I keep thinking, but I don’t know what it might be.” Janet sounded like she had given up.

“We’ll figure something out,” Susan said reassuringly. “Candy seems like a nice girl, even though her looks are a little … odd.”

Janet chuckled. “That’s her statement about life. She has very strong ideas about things.”

“I thought so,” Susan agreed. “And I could see at the art show opening how much she loves you.”

“It’s just been the two of us all her life. That’s why I worry so much about…”

Susan patted Janet’s hand as they both heard the loft door open.

“Mom?” Candy said, and then she saw Susan. “Oh my God! What’s happened? Mom?” She ran across the loft sliding to a stop at the sofa and dropping to her knees beside her mother.

“I’m fine, honey,” Janet reassured her daughter. “Susan came by for a visit, and she stayed while I had a nap. We had some tea.” Janet looked at Susan asking her to support what she had said, and including the tacit admonition to not mention Chris Hobbs.

“Yes, I was just telling your mother that I wished I had brought some of my famous chocolate chip cookies.”

“They sound great, Mrs. Taylor,” Candy said having finally put all the pieces together of who this woman was with her mother. “Are you okay, Mom?”

“I’m good,” Janet stated.

“I should be going, Janet,” Susan said. “I’ll call you tomorrow. If you need anything, I could drop by with it.”

“That would be lovely,” Janet said.

“I think the cookies sound great,” Candy prompted with a mischievous grin.

“Then I’ll be sure to bring some,” Susan said, smiling at the girl before gathering up her purse. She was so young to be facing her mother’s death and the prospect of being all alone. “I better be going. I can show myself out,” Susan added as Candy had sat down beside her mother.

“Thanks for everything,” Janet said.

“Mom, I met Miss Lindsay at the center today. We went to a support group together,” Candy was explaining.

“That sounds like a good idea,” Janet told her daughter as Susan closed the door behind her.

Susan knew the two women had a lot to deal with over the next months, if there were months left. She filed away the reference to Lindsay Peterson for the future. She seemed to remember that there had been some discussion of Lindsay possibly taking the girl in, since her marriage was breaking up, and her house was empty of spouse and children. Perhaps a call to Lindsay would be in order, Susan decided as she got into her car.


Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 10






The seasons began to change and the family appeared to be entering into a period of contentment just before the chaos of the holidays. Richie and Candy thrived in the Rainbow School, both taking advantage of the support groups that the GLC ran. Lindsay’s ‘divorce’ was becoming finalized. Riley’s offer for the cottage was accepted which meant that soon Lindsay would no longer have any financial obligations to Mel. Lindsay was pleased about that but at the same time saddened. Her long relationship with Melanie was coming to a close. With the last vestiges of Mel’s belongings gone from the house, Lindsay was preparing to close the door on her forever. Except for an occasional phone call from Mel regarding JR, Lindsay was ready to move forward with her life.

Janet, living in a healthier environment and under the tender care of her new ‘family’, was made comfortable. She was far from healthy but a little more at peace. She was still worried about Candy but was reassured that her daughter would not be alone. With Bobby’s legal advice, a guardian was about to be appointed. There were still many details to be worked out but she still had time. Hobbs made it clear that the only help he would provide would be to send Candy away to a boarding school. When Candy heard of that option, she vehemently refused, stating she’d rather be homeless or live at the Jason Kemp Center than take that kind of help from her sperm donor. With the optimism of youth, Candy was sure it would all work out.

Justin’s Then and Now Show and The Emerging Artists Show were still going strong. Justin began to respond to the royal requests starting with the Duke. Candy too had a few new pieces she was working on using a space at the GLC. She didn’t want the chemical and paint fumes to bother her mother. Sidney, after a red-headed birdie whispered into his ear, convinced Lindsay to show a few of her own pieces. The sweet and gentle images of the family’s children were well received which gave Lindsay a much needed boost to her ego and her confidence in herself grew.

The ‘moms’ and Emmett were freely working on the plans for their ‘project.’ Considering how rumors about family events easily got back to the boys, the entire family was sworn to secrecy. It helped that the boys were for the most part removed from the goings on in the city. No one wanted to anger the ‘moms’ or Emmett. They had plenty of time to hone their plans but they all realized that May 2020 was getting closer. All the pieces had to be in place and the time spent on the up and coming holidays had to be taken into consideration.

Bree continued to enjoy her piano lessons. She was fearful that what she revealed to her Daddy would lead to their demise, but for some reason her Daddy chose to hold back certain details of her conversation from her Dada. Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor was wise beyond her years. She avoided Hope at the cottage and at school. Bree concentrated on her music, her soccer and her school work. Justin hated lying to Brian even if by omission. He knew for certain that Brian would lose it when it involved his daughter. When he could, Justin kept a close eye on Hope when she came with her mother. Hope continued to sequester herself in the sun porch during the lessons, content with her books.

“Justin, would you come up here?” Brian asked in a tone that brooked no refusal. Justin was cleaning up after putting the finishing touches on his current painting. Brian watched from the balcony then retreated to the attic office to wait for his spouse. He didn’t have long to wait if the heavy footfalls on the spiral staircase were any indication.

“You called, Bri?” Justin asked all sweetness and light.

“Sit.” Brian pointed to the futon. Justin casually walked over and sat. “What the fuck is up with you?” Brian demanded.

“What do you mean?” Justin asked, coyly batting his long blond lashes.

“Won’t work this time, Sunshine, I’m on to you. Now, spill.”

“Um.”

“Something’s going on between you and Bree and if I’m not mistaken, Patrick’s been avoiding me. Now I know I shower regularly and I haven’t lost my temper lately so I want to know what gives.” Brian leaned his ass against his desk with his arms crossed, waiting.

Justin hesitated; he had no clue how to tell Brian. “While I’m young, Justin,” Brian said with an arch of his brow.

“Bri, I want you to promise me you’ll stay calm.” Brian nodded with trepidation. Justin related the conversation he had with Bree over a month prior.

“That’s it! That woman and her devil spawn are never coming back here,” Brian hissed, his face darkening with anger.

“Brian, please don’t. Bree loves her lessons and she’s having fun. We can’t let a misguided child ruin it for her.”

“Misguided! She’s a psychopath. I knew something was wrong with her. Even Beau knows that she’s a little bitch. I refuse to have her set foot in our home again.”

Justin shot up from the futon and straight into Brian’s arms. “Please, Brian, you can’t do that. Not now.”

“Sure I can. Watch me,” he said as he pushed Justin away and went for his phone to call Faith and cancel the lessons.

“No. Please, don’t do anything rash.”

“Rash?! You haven’t seen rash. No one hurts my family.”

“But it will hurt. It’ll hurt Bree. In spite of Hope, Bree likes Faith and enjoys her company. I’m not blind to Faith’s behavior toward you. Believe me, there are times I’d like to dump a bucket of ice on her. The minute she comes to the door her nose is in the air trying to sniff you out. She conveniently ignores the fact that I’m your partner. And when the lessons are over I make sure Bree goes to her room before I get Hope. Bree hasn’t said anything more about the incident. I had a talk with Susanna, Ashley’s mom. Hope is in Susanna’s class and she keeps an eye on Hope during recess. Hope is older than Bree so other than recess they’re never in the same place at the same time.”

“Do the guys know about this?” Brian cocked his head over to the Anderson-Morrison side of the cottage. Justin flushed. “So everyone knows about this except for me? Is that why Patrick’s been avoiding me?”

“He was there when Bree told me what happened.”

“Fucking hell, Sunshine! Why didn’t you tell me?” Brian looked decimated.

“Because I knew this is how you’d react. You can’t always fight Bree’s battles.”

“If you lecture me on how I have to let go...”

“You have to and you know it. She has to learn that there are people in this world that will never like her. She can’t always win them over with a smile.”

“Like you did?” Brian asked softly. Justin gave Brian a crooked smile. “Come here.” Brian held open his arms. They were immediately filled by his Sunshine. “So what do we do?”

“I’m not sure. Leave it alone for now. One of us needs to be here when Faith and Hope visit. Rachel volunteered to play chaperone if we have to do something and can’t be here during the lesson.”

“Yikes! That red-headed spitfire will skin Faith and Hope alive if she even sees a hint of a threat,” Brian said knowingly. “I guess I should have a talk with Patrick. I love that boy like my own.”

“Yeah, he’s pretty broken up about that. He hangs out in the kitchen sometimes to do his homework while Bree’s with Faith. Beau stays under the table.”

Brian laughed. “Beau’s got to be part human. I swear he’s got more brains than all of us put together.”

“Yeah.” Justin hugged Brian hard, pressing his body close. “You okay with this?” he asked after a while.

“No, I’m not but I guess I will have to be for Bree. But I’m telling you right now, Jus, if that witch says or does anything to Bree, I will not be responsible for my actions,” Brian vowed.

“Get in line,” Justin swore as they stayed in each other’s arms for a very long time before going to bed.



*****



Brian woke up early the next morning after Justin’s confession. As he made breakfast for the kids, Patrick walked into the kitchen then proceeded to back out.

“Freeze, Little Red,” Brian said over his shoulder. Patrick sighed; his Uncle Bri had eyes in the back of his head. “Sit!” Brian pointed to one of the stools at the counter. Brian put a plate of toast in front of the boy and was getting out the cereal. “Talk.”

“I didn’t want to say anything because I knew...”

“Yeah, yeah. My reputation precedes me. Patrick, I’d never get angry at you if you have something to tell me. Especially when it concerns Bree.”

“I know but Bree begged me not to say anything and you know what happens when she looks at me with those eyes.”

“Yeah, those eyes are very compelling. Got me into a shitload of trouble when I was younger,” Brian mumbled with a faraway look in his own hazel eyes.

“Uncle Bri?” Patrick became confused. He didn’t think they were talking about the same blue eyes. Brian shook his head.

“Patrick, you just go on being her friend and whatever else you are to Bree. She loves you and needs you on her side.”

“I will, Uncle Bri. I won’t let anything happen to Bree, I promise.” Brian came around the counter to give the young man a hug.

“I know you won’t. Us Kinney men have to stick together when it comes to those Taylor eyes.”

“Yeah,” Patrick agreed, still not quite sure what his uncle meant. What he did know was that Hope was a creepy kid and he’d never let Bree get hurt.

Brian released him with a ruffle to the bright red hair then went to get breakfast for his daughter as Patrick began to eat his.



*****



“I call this meeting to order,” Emmett declared as he rapped a wooden spoon on the table. Before the bistro opened the ‘moms’, including Debbie who was back for the holidays, and Susan, were present to discuss the progress with their plans for the anniversary party. Also present were Ted, Michael, Father Tom, John, and Lindsay.

Michael jumped at the noise. “Shit, Emm, you scared the hell out of me,” Michael groused at the noise then he bit into a warm popover.

“I just wanted to get your attention,” Emmett said with a toothy grin.

“You have it. Do you want to get to the point? I have a business to run,” Mikey grumbled. “Besides, Ma is here, why do you need me?”

“Because we’re all family and you should know what we’re planning,” Emmett explained.

“Fine,” Michael pouted then took another bite.

“How are the plans going?” Teddy asked.

“I’m glad you asked. Papaganos is in. I’ve reserved Friday May 15th and I gave the Plaza the heads up to prepare the suite for the boys just in case they’d rather stay in town for a little honeymooning after. I’m sure the princess will be well looked after.” The ‘moms’ nodded. There were enough grandmothers present to take care of Bree.

“Now this is what I propose for the menu,” Emmett said as he passed around a list for everyone to read and approve.

“The only thing I recognize is steak. The rest of it is in French,” Michael grumbled. Ted rolled his eyes then chuckled. Some things about his old friend never changed.

“Not all of it, Michael. Some of it is Italian,” Debbie scolded her uncouth son. “I approve,” she said with a slap to the table. Debbie hath spoken.

“So do I,” said Jennifer. Joan and Susan agreed.

“Dessert?” Teddy asked. Emmett smiled as he passed around another list.

“Oh!” Debbie smiled with tears in her eyes. There was a selection of Emmett’s famous creations, but the main cake was going to be Vic’s coconut cake. “I bet he’s smiling down on us right now,” she exclaimed as she dug into her bag for tissues. “He’d be so proud.”

“Emm, what will Bobby and I be doing,” John asked. “You seem to have everything all thought out.”

“I’m afraid, my dear handsome man, you’re going to have the hardest job of all.” Emmett gave John a poignant look. John groaned. “Yup, you’re going to have to figure out how to get them here.”

John thumped his head on the table before him. “Can’t we at least tell Justin about these plans? What if he decides to take Brian away for the weekend or something? You never know with those two,” he said logically.

“Oh crap!”

“Shit!”

“Fuck!”

All rang out at the same time as well as a ‘sorry, Father,’ directed at Father Tom who just waved off the cursing. He agreed with the general consensus. Brian and Justin could be a little unpredictable.

“But it’s supposed to be a surprise!” Emmett cried.

“Brian doesn’t like surprises,” Jennifer warned. The family murmured about her being right.

“Well, he’s going to like this one, if I have anything to say about it,” Debbie said with authority.

“Emm, John’s right. We should tell Justin,” Ted said. “We don’t have to tell him the whole plan. We let Justin know that we've arranged a special dinner for the three of them, and of course Gus. Then they’ll all be surprised when they see the family.”

“And if we can get Craig there the surprise will be doubled,” Susan added and everyone agreed.

“Honey, Emm’s wrong about who has the toughest job. I think you do,” Debbie said to Susan.

“Perhaps I should talk with Craig,” Joan volunteered. “I know how he feels. I felt the same way at one time.” Smiling, Father Tom reached across the table to pat Joan’s hand.

“What’s my role in this?” Tom asked.

“You were there when they made their commitment,” Lindsay said. “We’d like you there again to renew their vows.”

“What if they don’t cooperate?” Tom asked.

“They will, won’t they?” Emmett asked looking a little worried.

Emmett had the whole happy scene playing out in his head. Just after dinner and before the dessert they’d dim the lights, Tom and the witnesses including the moms and Craig would be standing in the middle of the restaurant. Emmett would escort Brian and Justin into the magic circle where a spotlight would shine. Tom would then say the words renewing the commitment the boys made ten years earlier.

Emmett burst into tears.

“Oh Honey,” Debbie said trying to console the sobbing queen, giving him a hug.

“Let me, Deb,” Ted said as he took Emm to the back to help calm him down.

“He cares so much about them, doesn’t he,” Joan remarked.

“Yes, he does. Emmett’s gotten so much closer to them over the years,” John said. “Especially to Brian. In some odd way, Brian looks to Emmett for affirmation.”

“But he loves you!” Debbie was worried that John was somehow envious of Emmett.

“Deb, I have no doubt about that. He’s my brother and my best friend. We share something that no one else ever could, but there’s something about Emmett that Brian values. They have a very special bond. Let me handle Justin; between the two of us we’ll get Brian to the church on time,” John teased with a wink.

“We know you will,” Lindsay said.

Just then Ted brought Emmett back to the group.

“You okay, Sweetheart?” Debbie asked her old friend.

“Yes, Honey, thank you. I think I must be going through the change,” Emm said sounding more like his old cheery self. “Well, I guess that’s it for now. We all have our assignments. I call this meeting adjourned!” Emmett rapped the table again loudly with his spoon. Michael jumped and cursed as the family laughed then filed out of the bistro.

“Teddy, it will work out, won’t it?” Emmett asked before Ted left to go to Kinnetik.

“It will, I’m sure of it. The gods are with us,” Ted assured his friend. Emmett gave Ted a big bear hug then quickly filled a shopping bag with tasty treats for Kinnetik.

“They better be,” Emmett murmured to himself as Ted left the bistro and Sean and his other staff came in to start the day. “Chop chop, people! We have hungry mouths to feed,” Emmett exclaimed with a big smile for his culinary staff.



*****



"May I help you?" Jasmine asked a very tall built man who hobbled into the garden center.

"Yes, ma'am, um, I was wondering if you're hiring?" the man asked trying to keep up his dignity. Jasmine thought the man looked very military with his closely cropped haircut. He was standing at attention.

"I'm not sure but if you'd like to wait a moment, the owners are here. I'll get them."

"Thank you," the man said letting out a puff of air.

Donald had just been honorably discharged. He had been injured by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. He spent several months in a military hospital then several more in rehab. He was a ground trooper but now with a permanently disabled leg he wasn't able to do what he had been trained for. The Army gave him a choice of a desk job or discharge with honor and a full pension. Donald took the discharge but he still wanted to earn a steady paycheck. He had a wife and child to feed. His Army pension would only get them so far. He hadn't told his wife about his injury, he hadn't even told her that he was coming home. He wanted to come home with a job. Donald went to many different places looking for work. He was overqualified for some and under for many others. Even with his gimp leg, he was still young and strong enough for manual labor.

Brian and Todd came out to the counter together. Brian had been reviewing the books with Todd and they had both agreed they needed another person to drive the new truck that Brian had just authorized for the garden center. They needed someone to drive it and someone who was fit enough to load and unload the heavy equipment. Jasmine had come into the office to let them know there was someone applying for the job.

"But we haven't advertised," Todd commented.

"Maybe we don't have to," Jasmine said. She had a good feeling about the eager man at the counter. And she knew that so many men and women who had served came back home with no job waiting for them. This was a way to give back.

Brian looked the handsome man over. Getting no pings, he let Todd take the lead.

"Hi, I'm Todd, this is my establishment," Todd greeted the man with a handshake. The mountain of a man towered over Todd. Brian was just as tall but extremely lean compared to the man standing at attention before them.

"At ease, soldier," Brian quipped and the man relaxed.

"Jasmine said you're looking for work," Todd continued ignoring Brian for the moment.

"Yes, sir. I've just been discharged and I'm strong and healthy. I'm willing to do anything," Donald said trying not to sound too desperate.

"Can you drive a truck?" Todd asked and Donald's smile lit up the room.

"Yes, sir! I can drive just about any vehicle. I did that for a living in the Army before I got hurt."

"Hurt?" Brian asked.

"Um, my leg. But it doesn't interfere with me driving and I can still lift. I'm just not as fast as I used to be so I was honorably discharged, sir, sirs." Donald realized that both men were very important.

Brian and Todd exchanged looks.

"Follow me," Todd said as he grabbed a set of keys hanging on the wall behind the counter. The three walked through the center till they got to the back where the storage shed was. The old truck was in there surrounded by lots of equipment. It looked like it was wedged in. "Get that clunker out here without hitting anything and you've got the job," Todd said tossing the startled man the keys.

"Yes, sir!" Donald saluted as he easily caught the keys then quickly limped to the shed. Even with his obvious injury Donald easily found his way through the equipment, climbed into the truck and started it up. The old clunker grumbled, sputtered then was teased to life by the experienced man. Donald adjusted the seat and the mirrors then within minutes the truck was front and center.

"You're hired," Todd with a smile when Donald jumped out obviously proud of himself.

"Sounds like the carburetor’s going," Donald said as Todd shook his hand, sealing the bargain. "I can fix just about any engine, including lawnmowers."

"We need to check you out, of course, but if everything comes back clean, you've got the job," Brian added.

"Yes, sir. I was career Army, sir, they'll vouch for me," Donald assured Brian and Todd.

"Well, then come on back to the office and we'll start the paperwork," Todd said.

"I'll get going," Brian said as he turned to go. "You've got it all under control," he added to Todd.

"Thanks, Bri. Let me know when we can pick the new truck," Todd said.

"Will do. Very nice meeting you, Donald...?"

"Goodman, sir. And thank you for this chance. I've just gotten home and I wanted to have a job before I got back to Faith and Hope," Donald said.

"Faith and Hope?" Brian asked with an arch of his brow.

"Yes, sir. My wife and my little girl. They don't know I'm discharged. I wanted to surprise them," Donald said then followed Todd back to the center.

"Whoops!" Brian said as he rubbed his hands together then snickered. As he walked back to his Jeep, Brian pulled out his cell phone. "Sunshine, you'll never guess who I just met."

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 11







Bobby was leaning over the balcony watching Justin in one of his painting frenzies. Justin had gotten an unusual idea for one of his special commissions. This particular royal patron was young and had more of an avant-garde way of looking at the world. Justin decided on a triptych with all three portions of the painting done at the same time. Justin had the stereo turned up and was dancing back and forth between the three canvases.

Brian came out of his office in response to the music. He was about to complain but the sight of Justin with a big fat paint laden brush in his hand stopped him. Justin reminded Brian of a conductor of a colorful symphony, commanding each note of shade and hue. Brian leaned on the balcony rail to watch. Bobby soon got his attention. Justin, oblivious to anything around him, didn’t notice Brian descend the staircase, cross the porch and ascend up Bobby’s spiral staircase.

“What’s wrong?” Brian asked his brother-in-law.

“Nothing really.”

“But?”

“We have to talk to Justin about his interest in Candy,” Bobby said motioning Brian to come into his office.

“Interest, as in him applying for guardianship?”

“Yes,” Bobby confirmed. “You’re not fond of the idea, are you?” Bobby asked making the realization.

“No. I thought I was. Got myself caught up in one of his dreams, but when I thought about, I don’t think it’s a very good idea or a healthy one.”

“You’re right. And from a legal standpoint, not a wise choice either.”

“How so?”

“The court would question his motives.”

“Motives? His motives are to prevent a teenager from becoming homeless.”

“The court may have another opinion.”

“And that is?”

“That the victim of a hate crime who never got any real justice from the perpetrator is seeking revenge upon the child.”

“He would never, ever do or even conceive of such a thing!” Brian growled, becoming red in the face at the thought.

“We know that,” Bobby said as he reached out to rub Brian’s arm. “Justin doesn’t think that way, but...”

“But it doesn’t matter what we know,” Brian admitted.

“No, it doesn’t, and then there’s the implication of impropriety.”

Brian did not need any explanation of Bobby’s statement.

“So what do we do?” Brian said, torn between supporting Justin or trying to convince him to drop the matter.

“We talk to Justin, explain the facts and you have to be honest with him. He has to know how you feel,” Bobby advised. Brian nodded. He had put it off for too long.

The sudden quiet in the porch brought the men back to the balcony. Justin was cleaning off his brushes, satisfied with his masterpiece.

“Justin, can you come up here, please?” Bobby asked. Justin looked at the matching serious expressions, wiped off his hands then went for the stairs. He had a feeling this wasn’t going to be pretty.



*****



Hobbs was in his den checking his personal stock portfolio. What Hobbs lacked in personality he more than made up for in his investment savvy. He also had a knack for cutting down on wasteful business expenditures. So to make the salary he drew from his in-laws’ companies legitimate, he was hired as a consultant. It proved a very profitable arrangement for his in-laws and for himself. Hobbs had slowly amassed a small fortune of his own, one separate from his wife and cleverly buried in some offshore accounts. Just in case he permanently fell out of favor with his wife and her family, Hobbs had a back up plan.

“Excuse me, sir,” a parlor maid knocked on his door then quietly entered. “Madam wishes to see you in the sitting room.”

“I’ll be right there,” Hobbs barked as he verified his balance then shut down his password encrypted computer. He walked to the ‘sitting’ room which his wife’s family preferred to call it. To Hobbs it was a very gaudy living room. Not only was his wife there but his parents, his in-laws and, of course, Grandmama Yolanda.

This was either an intervention or a firing squad. Neither option appealed to Hobbs.

“What’s this about?” Hobbs took the bull by the horns.

“Christopher,” Yolanda began. As matriarch she often took precedence even over his own parents. “Some disturbing news has come to my attention; I want it dispatched quietly. Not a word to our friends or in the papers. Is that clear?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Chris replied awaiting further explanation and the royal reaming he was sure to get.

“In spite of your unfortunate choices of the past, we received you into our family with open arms. I’ve always been honest with you and to my dear Laura about my misgivings. If it wasn’t for the fact that I hold your parents so dear to me and the love that my sweet Laura professed for you, I would have never given my approval for your alliance with our family. And of course, your dear parents gave me their assurances that the unfortunate incidents in your past were mere youthful folly. A one-of, so to speak. Never to occur again. However, other results of your youthful zeal seem to have come back to haunt us and I will not have it!”

Chris waited knowing there would be more.

“There is a young lady that bears your surname. We have learned that a local famous artist, who shall remain nameless for the moment, is planning to adopt her. Now this is mere rumor, a conversation overheard by a friend of a friend, but even the most outlandish rumors have some small basis in fact. Now, I don’t care who wants to adopt that child after her mother’s unfortunate demise but it will not be that man! Not only is it improper but think of how it would look. No, I forbid it.”

Yolanda remained silent for a moment so that the full effect of her tirade could sink in.

“Now I don’t care what means you use to dissuade the mother of the child, but I give you 48 hours to bring me your assurances that the child will not be adopted by Justin Taylor!”

Yolanda glared at Chris as did his loving wife and the rest of his family. Chris nodded, and accepting the assignment, he left the sitting room. Back in his den, Hobbs made a call. He then grabbed his checkbook, jacket and keys then strode out of the house.



*****



“What’s up?” Justin asked as he came into Bobby’s attic office.

“I have something to discuss with you regarding Candy,” Bobby responded without hesitation.

“O-kaay.”

“Justin, I will push for guardianship if you really insist but I truly think this is not the best course of action for you or for Candy.”

“Why?” Justin asked softly as he sat on the sofa. Brian remained quiet letting Bobby run the show.

“I’ve been doing some research and had a court appointed child advocate interview Candy, her teachers and other associates. I even had a chat with Bree.”

“Bree?” Justin straightened his back. Brian was about to object when Bobby stopped them before they could get started.

“The other day when I picked the kids up from school, Patrick was running late so Bree and I waited in the schoolyard. I asked her to give me her honest opinion of Candy. And what she thought of the possibility of Candy living with us. Needless to say, Miss Bree was her usual brutally honest little self. I believe she gets that from you,” Bobby threw out at Brian’s direction.

“What did she say?” Justin asked.

“While she thought Candy was a very nice person even though she does dress in too much black, and she thinks Candy draws and paints very good, her words not mine, Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor does not want to share her daddies with Candy.”

“But she always wanted a sister,” Justin said in a dejected tone.

“I asked her the same thing. And while that is true she’s content to share JR with Gus. She also understands that if you were to try for another child, there’s no guarantee that the child would turn out to be a girl.”

“She doesn’t like Taylor,” Justin murmured.

“Also not true. She’s very fond of Taylor but she is jealous that he gets to spend more time with her grandfather than she does. Just a side note,” Bobby said to both Brian and Justin. “I understand how you feel about Craig, but for Bree’s sake don’t just offer him an olive branch. Insist that he take it. Bring Bree into Pittsburgh at least once a month for her to spend a day with Craig and Susan. If you don’t, she’ll grow up resentful. You can placate her for now, but the older she gets the more disappointed she will become. You can keep your interactions with him to a minimum while maximizing hers.”

“We can do that,” Justin said as he looked at Brian. Brian went to the sofa to sit next to his spouse. Taking Justin’s hand, Brian agreed that Bree deserved as much time with her Gampa as possible. “What about Candy? What have your investigators found out?”

“While we've been going around in circles trying to come up with plausible guardianship ideas, Candy and Lindsay have been growing closer of their own accord. In the course of interviewing Candy’s teachers we found out that Candy has been going to a GLC support group.”

“What does that have to do with Lindsay?” Brian spoke up.

“Lindsay has been going to the group too,” Bobby replied. “It’s a group for those experiencing loss. While the counselor couldn’t discuss what was said in the group, he did say that he felt Candy was developing a positive relationship with Lindsay as a mentor. They discuss the usual teenage stuff as well as discussing what Candy’s artistic talents can help her accomplish. Lindsay confided that although she loves to paint and draw, she loves being able to teach. She thought Candy should consider teaching as well.”

“So, is Lindsay seriously considering going for guardian?” Justin asked.

“Yes. As a matter of fact, I was going to have a meeting with Janet to discuss it. I wanted your input first.”

“So Janet is still under the impression that I might be Candy’s guardian.”

“For now, but she honestly never considered it an option. She still harbors the hope that Hobbs will do the right thing.”

Brian snorted.

“Like that’ll every happen,” Justin spat out. Justin sighed then searched Brian’s eyes for the answers.

“Sunshine...”

“I know, Bri, I got myself all wrapped up in another cause and didn’t stop to think what’s best for our family. I thought Bree would love to have a ready made sister but maybe I was wrong. And if what Bobby says is true, it would be wrong to take Candy away from the Pitts.”

“We can always invite her to spend some time here in the summer. Or maybe I’ll have John build that cottage for Lindsay. We do have plenty of land. And it’ll stop my brother from becoming fat and lazy,” Brian teased making Justin smile and eliciting an indignant “Hey!” from Bobby. Brian became serious again. “Justin, I will support you. If you really think bringing Candy here is the best for her then I will join your fight. But I think Bobby’s arguments have merit. He’s never steered us wrong.”

Justin took some time before speaking to organize his thoughts. “I’ll drop my pursuit to get guardianship of Candy, and if Lindsay needs any help including financial support, I’m there,” Justin said with resolve.

“I’m right beside you,” Brian added.

“Good. I’ll meet with Janet to discuss her options,” Bobby said very relieved with how this meeting went. He knew just how stubborn both Brian and Justin could be. The results could have turned out so differently.

“You know it’s still light out, what if I do some grilling for dinner,” Brian suggested. Bobby and Justin thought that was a great idea.

While Bobby cleared up his papers, Brian and Justin went to fire up the grill and start dinner.



*****



“Chris, that was fast,” Janet said as she opened her door. Candy wasn’t home from school yet. “What’s so important that you couldn’t discuss it over the phone?” she asked as Hobbs pushed past her and into the apartment.

“The girl.”

“Candy?”

“Yes.”

“Has something happened to her?” Janet was almost in hysterics with worry, as Hobbs comments brought the worst scenarios to mind.

“No. I don’t know,” Chris said not understanding a mother’s worry. “I came here to tell you that if that fucking fag tries to adopt the girl I will find a way to take the girl away from you. You’re a sick woman; you’re easily confused. You don’t know what you’re doing. I have money and the lawyers to back me up. I’ll send the girl packing and you’ll never see her again, and by the looks of you it won’t be too long before no one ever sees you again.”

Janet burst into tears at Hobbs’ cruelty.

“I don’t care who adopts the girl as long as it isn’t Justin Taylor! Do I make myself clear?” Chris roared. Through her tears, Janet nodded and went to sit on the sofa. She never heard Chris leave.

When Janet finally opened her eyes, she was in Allegheny General Hospital.



*****



“I wonder how Candy’s mother is?” JR said as she sat in McDonald’s with Curtis.

“You haven’t heard anything?” Curtis asked. He had arrived to have dinner with JR at their favorite restaurant, after she had called to tell him what had happened.

“No, Mom hasn’t called and I’m getting worried.”

“Your mother’s with Candy?”

“Yeah, she called to say we couldn’t have dinner because Candy had a phone call that her mother had been taken to the hospital. She and Candy were in their support group together at the GLC, so Mom took her to the hospital.”

“Do … do you think she’s dying?” Curtis asked. He looked worried.

“Candy’s mother, you mean?” Curtis nodded. “You know she’s dying,” JR added with a shake of her head. It was hard to think about someone her own age being without a mother at all, and on top of that, Candy had no father either. JR couldn’t imagine what would happen to Candy after her mother was gone. She’d be all alone. She’d probably have to go to a foster home, and Curtis certainly knew how bad those could be.

“Yeah, but I meant dying … like right now.”

“Oh, gosh, I don’t know. I suppose she could be,” JR said with a sad look on her face. “That would be terrible for Candy.”

“What will happen to her?” Curtis asked.

“To Candy?”

“Yeah.”

“She might be sent to a foster home,” JR said slowly. She didn’t know how Curtis would react to that possibility.

“Shit! She can’t be sent to one of those. It…it could be …awful.”

“I know,” JR said softly, placing her hand overtop Curtis’.

“Maybe I could talk to my dads about taking her in,” Curtis suggested.

“Wow! Do you think they would?”

“They took me in.”

“Yeah, but you’re very special,” JR replied with a soft smile.

Curtis leaned across the narrow table and kissed her gently. “You’re the special one,” he said.

“Thanks.”

“It’s true.”

JR smiled broadly. “Do you think your fathers might foster Candy?”

“I could ask.”

“I thought Mom might do it at one time, but she hasn’t said anything about it lately.”

“She must be getting to know Candy if they’re in the same support group at the center.”

“Yeah,” JR agreed. “I think Uncle Justin wanted to help Candy too.”

“That would be too weird when her father’s the guy that bashed him.”

“I know. I just couldn’t see Uncle Justin taking Candy in. But he is a really great guy. He wants to help Candy, so maybe he and Uncle Brian…”

“What would Bree say about that?”

“Bree’s seven.”

“Going on thirty,” Curtis laughed.

“She is a little powerhouse,” JR agreed.

“I can’t see her wanting to have another girl around, even though she did want a little sister.”

“She has a great big sister,” Curtis said.

JR looked lovingly at Curtis. “Thanks.”

“I bet Bree wouldn’t want to share her daddies.”

“Bree shares, just ask her,” JR chuckled.

“Anyway, I hope Candy’s mother is okay. Maybe we don’t need to worry about where Candy will go,” Curtis said philosophically. “At least not right now.”

“Yeah, I hope so,” JR agreed, but she knew they would have to deal with that in the not too distant future.



*****



“Mom?” Candy said as she held onto her mother’s hand.

Janet’s eyelashes fluttered again and she opened her eyes. “Wh…where am I?’

“Hospital.”

“What happened?”

“Katerina found you when she was going to work,” Candy explained. “The door to the apartment was open and she knocked to see if anything was wrong. She found you unconscious on the sofa.”

Janet frowned trying to remember what had happened. That was when the angry face of Chris Hobbs presented itself to her. She knew she couldn’t tell Candy what her father had said.

“Do you know what made you pass out?” Candy asked. She was clearly worried.

“Um, I just had a weak spell,” Janet lied.

Candy knew that didn’t sound quite right, but her mother was sick, so maybe it was possible. “Are you feeling all right now?”

“Yes, I think I can go home.” Janet tried to sit up.

“Mom, they’re not going to let you leave just like that,” Candy admonished gently pushing her mother back down.

Janet sighed and leaned back against the pillow.

“Hello, Mrs. Cummings, are you feeling better?” the doctor asked as he came in.

“Yes, much better.”

“Young lady, will you excuse us, so I can talk to your mother and check her out.”

“I want to know what’s going on,” Candy protested mildly.

“We’ll let you know when we’re sure,” the doctor said.

“Okay,” Candy replied, “but I’ll be in the waiting room if you need me, Mom.”

Janet nodded before Candy left the room.

“So what stressed you out and caused this blackout,” the doctor asked bluntly.

“An unpleasant visitor.”

“You know you need to rest and try to keep calm.”

“What difference does it make?” Janet asked bitterly. “It will only give me another few days.”

“You want those days with your daughter, don’t you?”

“Yes, yes, I do, but there’s so many things to be decided. I’m not sure I can handle them all.”

“Have you made arrangements for your daughter?”

“No, that’s a big part of the stress,” Janet admitted.

“Is there someone who can help you?”

Janet thought about that. The only one who was likely to help her was the very man who Chris had told her to stay away from. She shook her head.

“Let’s see how your vitals are,” the doctor said encouragingly.

“I want to go home. I have things to do,” Janet said. And Chris Hobbs can go fuck himself.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 12






“Candy,” Lindsay said standing up as the girl entered the waiting area on the hospital floor. “Is there any news?”

“She’s awake. She wants to go home,” Candy said wearily. She sank down in a chair next to Lindsay. Lindsay sat down beside her and took the girl’s hand.

“If she wants to go home, that’s a good sign,” Lindsay said gently.

“Maybe,” Candy conceded, “but she’s getting weaker. I can see it.”

Lindsay looked into Candy’s eyes. She could see the worry and sorrow and hurt that were all contained inside the girl. It was a lot for someone so young to have to endure.

“But she’s all right for now?” Lindsay asked.

Candy nodded. “But one of these times…”

“Oh, honey,” Lindsay said pulling the girl into a hug. Something had to be done to make things right for this sweet girl.



*****



“Are you going into Pittsburgh?” Bobby asked Brian as he sprinted from his side of the cottage to the Kinney-Taylor side. He had his cell phone to his ear while trying to put on his jacket and stuff papers into his briefcase.

“Whoa! Slow down,” Brian said as he grabbed the briefcase just as Bobby was losing it to gravity. “Yes, we’re leaving as soon as her majesty is ready.”

Bobby ended his call then sat on a kitchen chair. “Sorry. This guardianship for Candy has been a hurry up and wait situation. One minute I think it’s all settled then the next Janet can’t decide what she wants to do. But this latest incident has pushed her over the edge. She wants to meet with me and Lindsay tonight.”

“Is she...?” Brian couldn’t say the words. Janet and Justin were about the same age. Brian was horrified at the thought of someone so young dying.

“Not just yet but I don’t think she’ll make it to the new year,” Bobby said in a low voice. Bree and Justin were coming out of her bedroom.

“I’m ready, Dada!” Bree said cheerfully. She was dressed up for Halloween as a fairy godmother, complete with wings and magic wand. Her Auntie Emm found a faux fur cape that would keep Bree warm but allow for the wings to protrude. She twirled around so that her Dada could get the full effect.

“Look at you!” Brian exclaimed then bowed low. “My lady, your chariot awaits. Go get your trick or treat bag.”

“Okay, Dada,” Bree said as she ran back to her room for her treat bag.

“Aren’t you usually the fashionista?” Bobby asked Brian as Justin went to get his jacket.

“Bree wanted to surprise me so Daddy got to do the honors this time,” Brian answered cocking his head toward Justin. “You want a lift into the Pitts?”

“Yeah,” Bobby said. “Do you mind? You can drop me off at the loft then get me on your way home, if it’s not too much trouble.”

“No, trouble,” Justin replied. “We’re going to bring Bree to my father’s house. She’s going to have dinner with them and then they’re going to take Bree trick or treating.”

Bobby smiled; he was happy Justin took his advice. Even if Craig wasn’t accepting of Brian, Bree needed her Gampa in her life.

“We’ll probably hang out at the diner or the bistro while we’re waiting. Call us when you’re ready,” Justin said. “Is Patrick going trick or treating with John?”

“No, my little man has declared he is too old for such childish inclinations. He and John are going to the movies to see some gory horror film. PG, of course.” Bobby smirked.

“Too old? He’s what, going to be ten in four days? Oh yeah, that’s old, he’ll be needing a cane soon,” Brian snarked. “Let’s get this show on the road,” Brian commanded as they all were ready to go.

They called out their goodbyes to John and Patrick then piled into Justin’s Jeep for the drive into Pittsburgh.



*****



“Do you think they’ll be okay?” Justin asked as he opened the door to Emmett’s bistro on Liberty Avenue.

“Who, Bree and Craig or Janet and Candy?” Brian responded with a question.

“Yes,” Justin said as they took a small table out back. It was a little chilly but Emmett had the gas heaters going to take advantage of the clear weather. They made themselves comfortable as a waiter came over to take their order.

“Craig may be an asshole but he’s not going to do anything to spoil Halloween for Bree, especially after his little faux pas at the zoo. As for Janet and Candy, the best we can hope for is peace of mind for Janet and a permanent place for Candy to live. If the gods are with us that should happen tonight.”

With the arrival of their dinners, Brian and Justin settled back for a quiet evening.



*****



Thanksgiving turned out to be bittersweet for the families of Edna’s Treasures. The boys had planned their usual Thanksgiving feast. Emmett and his men were already in residence at their own cottage helping with the preparations. Bree was in Pittsburgh celebrating an early Thanksgiving with Craig, Susan, Molly and her family. It was a compromise that the major parties had agreed to. The day before Thanksgiving, Brian picked up Bree after school then drove directly into the Pitts dropping her at her Auntie Molly’s apartment. That evening Bree and the Brenners went to Craig and Susan’s for their Thanksgiving. The next day Bree would go back to Edna’s Treasures with Jennifer and Seth. Molly, Owen Jr. and Taylor would celebrate Thanksgiving with Owen Sr. and his family. The rest of the family would caravan to Edna’s Treasures for the big family dinner. It all seemed so simple.

Mother Nature had other plans.

“I don’t fucking believe this!” Brian cursed loudly as he walked his mug of coffee into the sun porch. At the moment the porch was anything but sunny. A freak blizzard was raging outside.

“Shit!” Justin exclaimed as he joined his spouse in the porch. “No one’s driving in this.”

“Fuck! Bree’s stuck in the Pitts,” Brian said mournfully.

“She’s with Molly, she’ll be all right,” Justin said trying to calm the beast.

“But she’s not here. Maybe it’ll clear up,” Brian said hopefully.

“Don’t think so,” John said as he walked in.

“Where have you been?” Brian accused. “And what happened to your early warning system?” Brian grumbled pointing a finger at his brother.

“Hey, I’ve had other things on my mind. Predicting the weather is not my priority,” John snapped back.

“Time out!” Bobby announced as he and Patrick joined them. “First off, has anyone listened to a weather report or called someone in Pittsburgh to check it out there?” he asked reasonably. Getting three negatives, he scowled then led the boys into Brian and Justin’s kitchen. While John prepared more coffee and hot cocoa, Brian began breakfast. Bobby turned on the weather report.

“Well that doesn’t sound very promising,” Justin deadpanned after hearing about the storm. The snow had no intention of letting up anytime soon. “I guess it’s just us for Thanksgiving.”

“Us too!” Emmett shouted as he, Richie and Drew pushed their way through the door, stomping the snow off their boots. They were followed closely by Rachel, George and her girls who were home for a visit. Emmett and the guys piled their goodies onto the kitchen counter. Rachel shoved the ham that she was contributing to the feast, into the oven.

“What a mess!” Rachel exclaimed as kisses, as well as hot beverages, were passed around. “What’s his problem?” she asked her brother when she took a good look at Brian’s face.

“Bree’s stuck in the Pitts,” Bobby explained. Rachel nodded then gave Brian a hug in sympathy.

“She’ll be fine,” Rachel said. Brian shrugged then began plating up breakfast for the family present.

Throughout the day, Brian resisted the temptation to call Bree every five minutes. Some time during dinner Justin called his sister then put his phone on speaker so that everyone could call out a greeting.

“I love you, Dada!” Bree shouted loud and clearly into the phone.

Brian choked a bit but then responded, “I love you too, Squirt. You be good for your Auntie Molly.”

“I will. Love you, Daddy!”

“Love you, Baby Girl, and we’ll see you as soon as we can.”

Phone calls were made to the rest of the family including Gus who was with his mother. The boys were placated for the moment. Dinner continued as did the storm.



*****



Christmas was approaching and Brian was knee deep in Kinnetik business and snow. The winter that had started off fast and furious appeared to be continuing that way. The snow clearing crews of the All Things Happy Garden Center were in continual operation. Both Todd and Brian were pleased to hire on extra help. Donald proved to be worth his weight in gold keeping their trucks and equipment in tip top condition. His reunion with Faith and Hope had its great joys and pitfalls. Hope was ecstatic to have her father back home and safe in spite of the limp. Faith had to get used to having her husband living with them on a permanent basis. She needed to stop her incessant flirtations. It was a rocky first month for all of them. Donald found it difficult to get over the fact that his loving wife was harboring fantasies involving the man who signed his paycheck. After he had a heart to heart talk with Brian and witnessed Justin in one of his more playful moods cop a feel of Brian’s ass, Donald was able to concentrate on his job and his marriage.

The holiday season was marred by one more crisis. Bobby’s prediction that Janet wouldn’t see the new year rang true. Janet died peacefully at home surrounded by the family that had adopted her and her daughter. With her mind at ease that a loving guardian would keep her daughter safe, Janet closed her eyes, never waking again. Candy was almost inconsolable but Lindsay and JR kept close. With their constant steadfast support and love, Candy was able to make it through the funeral. She had no idea that Brian and Justin paid for the arrangements, only knowing that someone kind had paid the bills.

Unknown to the family, Hobbs had discovered that although Janet made Lindsay the primary guardian, Justin was named as back up. Hobbs had contemplated fighting it, but was encouraged by his family not to pursue it. They were satisfied that the girl in question was living with a respected member of the community and adjunct professor at PIFA. The fact that Lindsay was a lesbian was conveniently overlooked. Hobbs was pleased that he no longer had any obligation, financial or otherwise to the girl. He was free to concentrate on getting himself back in his wife and wife’s family’s good graces. And if all else failed, he continued padding his nest egg.



*****



“Damn, Sunshine, that was another good one,” Brian panted as he tried to catch his breath.

The families of the conjoined cottages opted to spend New Year’s Eve at home. They celebrated quietly with a simple meal, fine wine for the adults, and they allowed the kids to stay up to see the ‘ball’ drop. Shortly after Christmas, Gus went to New York to spend the rest of his winter break with Ray. Bree managed to stay up long enough to say ‘Happy New Year’ to her brother via the phone but never made it to midnight. Patrick just about made it to midnight then fell asleep in his father’s arms. John and Bobby bid Brian and Justin good night then retired to their side of the cottage.

Brian rolled off Justin, propping his head on his arm to watch Justin catch his own breath. The curtains on the window were open enough to allow a few rays of moonlight into the room. The light made the sweat on Justin's skin glow. Brian felt himself fall in love all over again. He thanked the gods that his family was healthy. He shuddered at the memory of Janet’s recent death and the girl who almost became an orphan, all alone in the world if it wasn’t for Lindsay.

“I’m here,” Justin whispered as if he could read Brian’s thoughts. He reached up to tug gently on a lock of Brian’s hair. Justin snaked his hand behind Brian’s neck to bring him down for a kiss.

“I love you,” Justin murmured against Brian’s lips. Brian, responding to the kiss, made love to his Sunshine, reaffirming his love for Justin and their life together. As the clouds drifted across the sky, the boys made love then held each other close as they fell sleep.



*****



“Do you think you have everything?” Lindsay asked.

“I didn’t have very much,” Candy said rather sadly. “Neither did mom.” She looked around the loft, remembering that she and her mother had been happy there … for what little time they’d had. “I have my clothes … and this,” Candy said holding out a small box towards Lindsay.

“Is that your mom’s?” Lindsay asked as she took it from Candy.

“No, it’s mine. Mom gave it to me a couple of years ago. We didn’t really have money for it, but she wanted me to have it. Open it.”

Lindsay flipped the lid open. Music began to play from the box. “Is that ‘I love you just the way you are’? Lindsay asked.

“Yes,” Candy replied with a wistful smile. “When I started going goth, I know mom didn’t like it, but she never disapproved of hardly anything I ever did. We found this in a store not long after. She insisted on getting it for me … because she said it expressed how she felt about me. She loved me however I was … and I loved her too.”

“I know you did, sweetie,” Lindsay said holding out her arms for Candy to receive a big hug.”

Candy felt tears flood through her and she sobbed on Lindsay’s shoulder, crying for her mother and their too short time together. Lindsay held her tight until the sobs started to subside. “You and your mother had a very special relationship,” Lindsay whispered.

“Yeah, we did,” Candy agreed. She stepped back and wiped her face. It was always just us. I don’t know what to do without her.”

“Yes you do,” Lindsay stated firmly. “Your mother wanted you to be everything you could be. She was so proud of you at The Emerging Artists Show. I thought her chest would burst with pride.” Candy smiled. “You’re going to go to school and do extremely well there, because we all know how smart you are. And you’re going to continue with your art and with working on Rage. You’re going to be just fine.” Candy tried to smile again. “But that doesn’t mean that you’re going to forget your mother. She’ll always be with you in spirit.” Candy nodded. “Are you ready to go, sweetheart?”

Candy zipped the suitcase that they had been filling. Then she took the music box from Lindsay. She looked around the loft once again. Even though she had been living with Lindsay since her mother’s death, this place was still home. Her last memories of her mother were here. She wasn’t sure she could leave them.

“Are you okay?” Lindsay asked when Candy just stood staring into the loft.

“I don’t know if I can leave. That’s like the end … of everything.”

Lindsay nodded. “I understand. I didn’t know whether I could stand to be in my house because of the memories of Mel and me. But I came to terms with it. It’s my home, and I want the good memories along with the bad. I’m sure you can come back here if you need to feel close to your mother.”

Candy stared at Lindsay. The situations weren’t the same at all. But somehow she understood what Lindsay was getting at. “I’ll be okay,” Candy said softly. “I’m ready to go.” She placed her suitcase on the floor and pulled the handle out. Straightening her shoulders she walked to the door of the loft. She turned back for a last look at the place that had been her home with her mother. Lindsay opened the door of the loft. “Bye, mom,” Candy whispered before she followed Lindsay out into the hall.



*****



“Have you enjoyed the holidays together?” Donald asked as he and Faith enjoyed a glass of wine over dinner.

“Of course,” Faith replied.

“Hope seems happy,” Donald said.

“She missed you terribly.”

Donald nodded. “I missed her too, and you, of course.”

“Our lives are getting back to normal,” Faith stated.

“I get the feeling that you were quite happy without me,” Donald surmised aloud.

“I, um, I found it difficult to be on my own with just Hope. I’m sorry for some of the things I did.”

“I do love you, Faith,” Donald said sincerely. “Do you still love me?’

“Of course.”

Donald took a sip of his wine. He was happy to be home, happy to be with his family, but things certainly weren’t the way they had been. He wondered if his gimp leg and his rather menial job displeased his wife, who always wanted to advance in society. He had hoped that coming home would be enough, but maybe it wasn’t. He liked his job at the garden center. He wished Faith could be more content.

“Daddy!” Hope called running down the hall from her bedroom. “Come play Scrabble with me. I bet I can beat you.”

“I bet she can too,” Donald said as he pushed his chair back from the table. He slowly got to his feet flexing his bum leg. At least his daughter was happy to have him home.



*****



“Brian,” Lindsay said into the phone.

“What’s up?”

“I thought I’d let you and Justin know that Candy cleaned out the loft today. She’s upstairs unpacking right now.”

“So, I guess we need a new tenant for that apartment,” Brian replied.

“Don’t be in a hurry,” Lindsay warned. “Candy found it pretty difficult to leave the loft. She feels like she’s leaving the memory of her mother behind.”

“So you don’t think I should rush to rent it again?”

“No, she may need a few trips back there before she can really let it go.”

“Duly noted,” Brian said. “How’s she doing otherwise?”

“It’s hard. She’s still pretty emotional, even though she tries not to be.”

“What about you?”

“Me? I’m fine.”

“I know it must have been difficult … your first Christmas without Melanie,” Brian explained.

“Not as difficult as I thought it would be. Looking out for Candy and spending time with family and friends made it much easier than I expected.”

“That’s good.

“Yes, yes it is,” Lindsay agreed.

“You’re doing great, Linds,” Brian told her.

“I am,” Lindsay said decisively before she hung up. And she really meant that. She was pretty proud of how she had managed since Melanie had left.

The phone rang seconds after she hung it up.

“Hello,” Lindsay answered it.

“Mommy, it’s me,” JR said.

“Hi, sweetheart. How are you doing?”

“I’m good. How are you?”

“Just fine.”

“Did Candy get moved in?” JR asked.

“Yes, she upstairs unpacking. It was awfully nice of you to offer her your room.”

“I know Gus will be coming home, so I thought you should keep his room for him.”

“You want to stay with your dads,” Lindsay said knowing that was JR’s wish.

“I do, mom. I really like it here, and I think it’s the best arrangement.”

“Especially when your mother didn’t even come to see you over the holidays,” Lindsay said with accusation in her voice.

“She offered to fly me out to Portland, but I didn’t want to go. I guess she’s happy with her new life.”

“I guess she is,” Lindsay replied, the bitterness clear in her voice.

“You’re going to be okay, aren’t you, mommy?” JR asked.

“I’m just fine. Better than ever now that I have company here in the house. Candy and I get along really well.”

“That’s good.”

“You’re not feeling left out, are you, sweetheart?”

“No, mommy. I decided to stay with dad, and I want Candy to have my room. I’m fine.”

“Have I told you lately how much I love you, and how proud I am of the wonderful girl you’ve grown into?”

“Not recently,” JR said. Lindsay could hear the smile on her daughter’s face.

“I should tell you more often then. I love you bunches.”

“I love you too, mommy. Happy New Year.”

“Happy New Year, sweetheart.

Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 13






“Candy! I’m heading out to Emmett’s,” Lindsay called up the stairs as she bundled up for the ride over to Emmett’s apartment.

“Okay, Miss Lindsay,” Candy called down as she came to the head of the stairs. “Richie’s coming over then we’re going to the GLC to use their studio,” Candy replied.

“This will not do,” Lindsay grumbled to herself.

“M-Miss Lindsay?” Candy stammered fearing the worst.

“We have to come up with something better for you to call me. I don't think I can go through my life with you calling me Miss Lindsay. It sounds so archaic and I keep expecting Morgan Freeman to show up at our door.”

“Who?”

“Never mind. Come here, honey,” Lindsay asked as she moved into the living room before leaving for her engagement. Candy came down the stairs then sat next to Lindsay on the couch. “I’d like for us to come up with a better title for me.”

“I guess I could call you Aunt Lindsay,” Candy said hesitantly.

“Perhaps. Sweetheart,” Lindsay began, seeing the pensive look on Candy’s face. “I promise, I am not gong to ask you to call me ‘Mom’. You had a wonderful mother who loved you so much. I can never take her place and I would never want to. But we’ve gotten to know each better these past few months and I’d like to believe you feel like you belong here.”

Candy nodded. “I do. It was very strange at first, especially sleeping in JR’s room, but even she told me that she’s glad that I’m here. And Gus too. He’s called and made me feel like I’m really his sister.”

“And Bree?” Lindsay said with a smirk.

Candy softly giggled. “JR told me that Bree thinks I should wear more pink.”

Lindsay laughed. “That sounds just like our Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor. So what should you call me? Mom isn’t right and neither is Miss. Hmmm.”

The girls were quietly thinking up possibilities when Lindsay cracked up with laughter.

“What?” Candy asked.

“You’ll think it’s really silly but I have a possible name,” Lindsay said in between giggles.

“What is it?” Candy smiled. Lindsay had a beautiful laugh.

“Mim.”

“Mim?”

“Yup. Mim. Let’s say it’s a cross between Mom and Miss.”

“Okay, I get it but what’s so funny about it?”

“There used to be a horrid adult cartoon many years ago that I’m ashamed to say I got hooked on. It was really horrible but there was one character that when he called out ‘Mom,’ for his mother it came out like a whiny, ‘Mim.’ I think it’ll work for us.”

“Mim,” Candy repeated. “I like it,” she said as she wrapped her arms around Lindsay. Lindsay returned the hug then kissed Candy’s forehead. Both girls were a little sniffly before they ended the hug.

“Well, I’m glad that’s settled,” Lindsay said as she wiped her eyes. “I better be off before the ‘Moms’ send out a search party. We’re meeting at Emmett’s to go over the anniversary party plans. And remember you’re sworn to secrecy. Brian has a way of finding things out. I wouldn’t put it past him to plant a bug somewhere,” Lindsay warned Candy. “We’re not even telling Ted everything until the very last moment, because Brian would take one look at him and know Ted was trying to hide something.”

Candy laughed. “Okay...Mim. Mum’s the word,” Candy said with a straight face. The girls cracked up with laughter again as they both got ready to go.

Just as Richie was about to ring the doorbell, Lindsay opened the door.

“Hi, Miss Lindsay,” Richie politely greeted Lindsay, making her and Candy laugh again.

“Hello, Richie,” Lindsay said trying to get herself under control. “You know you two can always use the studio upstairs,” Lindsay said as she pointed a finger toward the ceiling.

“Thank you, Mim, but I like the space at the GLC,” Candy said as she made eye signals at Lindsay. Lindsay looked back and forth from Candy to Richie.

“Oh my,” Lindsay exclaimed then quickly recovered. “Oh my, yes, the space at the GLC is perfect. Um, well, have fun you two and call me if you want a ride home. I know Spring is on the way but it’s still so cold.” Lindsay wrapped her scarf around her neck for emphasis.

“We will,” Candy reassured her. Lindsay gave her a little peck to her head and did the same to Richie.

“Later,” she called out as she headed for her car. The kids walked in the other direction toward the GLC.

“What are you working on today?” Richie asked unaware that Candy was harboring feelings other than friendship toward him. He was growing very fond of Candy as well. She accepted him just as he was, without question. With Candy, Richie and Nina, could relax.

Candy explained the new Rage characters she was working on. Richie found it all fascinating.

“What are you going to work on today?” Candy asked.

Richie had rescued some old manikins that ‘Torso’ was throwing out. He took the parts of several broken manikins to make three whole ones. With help from Emmett and Drew, Richie brought them to the GLC. In the GLC artists’ corner, Richie set up the dummies. He used them to create his own “His, Hers and Other” fashion line.

“The high school is getting ready to hold their end of school dance. JR and some of the other girls want me to create something original for them.” Richie blushed as he spoke. He had pieced together a special dress for JR when Curtis had asked her to the Winter Festival. She had gotten a lot of compliments. JR’s girlfriends all wanted to know where JR got her dress. JR proudly told them about her exclusive designer friend ‘Nina-Richie’ who knew just about everything about fashion. Even Candy consulted Richie when she wanted a costume for one of her Rage characters.

“Cool!” Candy was happy for Richie. Even though he was a couple of years younger than her Candy soon realized that Richie’s sensitive soul was mature beyond his years. She felt a kindred bond with the shy boy who was more comfortable in women’s clothing. And he had better fashion sense than most girls her age. He even helped her to coordinate a more original Goth look for herself. Candy and Richie continued to go to the support groups to talk out their forms of loss; the teens found that it helped.

When the teens arrived at the GLC they checked in then made their way to the studio. Candy took up residence on a stool next to an easel while across the room Richie was in his corner organizing his material swatches. Candy smiled as she flipped open her large pad then began to sketch her tall lanky friend Nina-Richie.

*****

“I call this meeting to order!” Emmett declared loudly as he banged a spoon on the counter.

“Knock it off, Emm,” Debbie ordered. She and Carl were back from their travels. Emmett smiled as he shrugged his shoulders. “Well, has anything changed since the last time we all got together?” Debbie asked as she looked around the room. Joan and Jennifer both shook their heads no.

All eyes turned toward Susan.

“Well?” Debbie asked in an accusatory tone.

“He won’t commit to saying yes. Craig said if it was a matter of going to dinner he’d consider it. He could just overlook what the dinner was celebrating and concentrate on spending the evening with his granddaughter. However, he doesn’t want it to look like he’s condoning their behavior if the boys reaffirm their vows. He says it would make a mockery of his wedding vows.”

“Oh, well that’s bullshit,” Jennifer spat out. “He made a mockery of our vows. Isn’t that like the pot calling the kettle black?”

“I tried pointing out that his son, while officially celebrating ten years in a committed relationship, had really been together with his partner for twenty years,” Susan said.

“More or less,” Emmett and Debbie both mumbled referring to Brian and Justin’s rocky first few years together. Jennifer and Joan glared at them.

“Perhaps I should talk to him,” Father Tom offered. “If you think I’d be any help.”

“I’m not sure,” Susan admitted. “We’re not religious.”

“But maybe if he sees that a priest can preside over their commitment ceremony then perhaps he could set aside his prejudices,” Tom said logically.

“That sounds good in theory but...” Debbie wasn’t sure how to phrase it.

“Just say it, Debbie, we all know my ex-husband can be an ass,” Jennifer deadpanned. “Sorry, Susan.”

Susan shrugged. She knew it too.

“Lie to him,” Joan said in a serious tone.

“I beg your pardon?” Susan asked.

“Lie. To. Him.” They all stared at Joan. Church going, rosary saying Joan.

“What are you up to?” Debbie asked as she narrowed her eyes.

“Tell Craig that things are not going as well as we thought. Do or say anything to get Craig to the restaurant then tell Bree to sit on Craig’s lap for the evening. You know she’ll be happy to do it. Tell Bree the truth. You know she is one smart little girl. Craig won’t take the chance of hurting Bree’s feelings, especially not in front of family.” Joan made a point to stress the word family.

“Family? Since when does Craig really care about family?” Jennifer asked.

Joan took on a sly smile to her face. “Not even if the ‘family’ in question was Owen and Sharon Brenner and the Sarah Kingsley?” Joan said.

They all stared at Joan for a moment then Emmett jumped up and down clapping wildly in approval.

Jennifer and Susan laughed as Debbie cackled loudly.

“Well shit, Joanie, now I know where Brian gets it!” Debbie shouted.

“He learned from the master!” Emm, Jennifer and Debbie crowed.

Finally having a foolproof plan, Emmett broke out a couple of bottles of wine in celebration. They all toasted to their own cleverness.



*****



“Daddy, what are you doing for Uncle Brian’s anniversary?” JR asked as she was helping her father straighten the comics in the store.

“Me?”

“Yes, you! You are his best friend, aren’t you?”

“I…I’m not doing anything,” Michael stammered. He knew of the plotting going on with Emmett and his mother, but they hadn’t asked him to participate and that had been fine with him.

“Daddy!” JR responded. He could hear the criticism in his daughter’s voice.

“What?” Michael demanded. “What am I supposed to do?”

“I don’t know,” JR said with a frown, “but you should be doing something.”

“Like what?” Michael asked mystified.

“You could be the best man,” JR suggested.

“That will be John’s job.”

“How do you know?”

“Trust me.”

“What about getting them some rings?”

“They wouldn’t like anything I’d pick out.”

JR frowned as she straightened the Rage display. “What would Zephyr do for Rage?” she asked herself.

“Zephyr would get them a really nice gift. He’s a very giving sidekick,” Michael explained.

“That’s it! Get them something really special.”

“Like what?”

“Geez, daddy, do I have to think of everything?’

“I don’t have the best history of picking out gifts,” Michael said shaking his head. He was remembering the awful gift he got for Lindsay and Mel’s wedding. And look how well that had ended. And nobody had ever seen that gift again. The ugly statue probably went straight into the garbage. Michael remembered fighting with Teddy about that gift and the money he had spent on it. Nothing good had come from that whole experience.

“Daddy,” JR said, breaking into Michael’s thoughts.

“Yes, honeybun,” Michael answered.

“Have you thought of a gift?”

“I don’t know. I don’t have any ideas.”

JR heaved a sigh. “Maybe you could talk to Ben about it, if you don’t think of a suitable gift for Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin yourself.”

“I could always get them a sling,” Michael mumbled to himself.

“Huh?” JR asked having heard her father say something.

“Nothing, sweetheart. I’ll think about it.”

“Fathers,” JR grumbled. “You can’t live without them and they arrest you if you kill them.”



*****



“Mommy?” JR said into her cell phone.

“Hi, sweetheart, how are you?” Lindsay replied.

“I’m okay.”

“That doesn’t sound like a resounding okay.”

“I had a call from Mama.”

“Yes?” Lindsay asked warily. She was still afraid of what Mel might try to pull.

“She wants me to come to Portland for the spring break.”

“Well, that’s a good thing, isn’t it? She wants to see you.”

“I don’t really want to go,” JR explained. “I don’t want to see her with her new friend, and have to hear all about her new life without us.”

“She is your mother,” Lindsay reminded her. Although she totally agreed with JR’s sentiments, she didn’t feel she could condone JR not seeing her mother. She knew how that would hurt her, if Gus didn’t want to come home to visit with her. “Couldn’t you go for a few days?”

“I guess, but I don’t really want to. I was going to work at the store and spend lots of time with Curtis,” JR whined.

“You see Curtis every day at school, and I know your dad won’t mind if you take a few days off.”

JR heaved a very audible sigh. Adults were so difficult to deal with. “So you’re saying I should go?”

“I think it might be wise for you to do so. If you keep refusing to visit Melanie, she might decide that she wants full custody.”

“You…you don’t think she would make me live out there, do you?” JR asked, fear evident in her voice.

“We’d fight her on it,” Lindsay declared. “But why open that can of worms, when a visit to Portland for a few days could solve the problem.”

“I guess,” JR conceded.

“Think about it, sweetheart. I’ll support you whatever you decide.”

“Thanks, mommy,” JR replied sounding like the little girl of several years ago. Lindsay knew this whole mess had been very hard on her daughter. It was easy to forget that sometimes, because JR didn’t talk easily. She often kept things to herself.

“It’ll be fine whatever you decide,” Lindsay tried to reassure her daughter.

“Can I ask you something else?”

“Sure.”

“Daddy’s trying to think of a gift for Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin’s anniversary,” JR explained.

“Oh dear,” Lindsay reacted before she could stop herself. She had a fleeting memory of an ugly African fertility goddess that Michael had given her and Mel as a wedding present.

“What is it?” JR asked.

“Oh, nothing, what’s the problem?” Lindsay lied.

“Do you have any ideas about what daddy could give them?”

“Nothing comes to mind right now, but I’ll think about it.” Lindsay had no idea what Michael might want to give to his best friend.

“Thanks, mommy. If you think of something, call me, not daddy. I think I can convince him if it sounds like the right gift.”

Lindsay laughed. “I’ll be sure to call you. Can you come to dinner tomorrow night? I think Candy would like to spend some time with you.”

“Sure,” JR said happily. “I’ll check with daddy and let you know for sure.”

“Okay, sweetheart.”

“I love you, mommy.”

“I love you too,” Lindsay replied before she cut the connection. She sat lost in thought for a couple of minutes. “Candy!” she called up the stairs.

“Yes, Mim?” was the reply.

That brought a smile to Lindsay’s face. “Can you come down here for a minute?”

“Sure.” Candy came down the stairs from her bedroom.

“Did I interrupt anything?” Lindsay asked.

“Nope, I was just doing my homework.”

“You can do it down here, you know.”

“I know, but I don’t want to be in your way,” Candy explained.

“You wouldn’t be in my way,” Lindsay stated. “I like company. If you feel like working on the dining room table where there’s more room, please do.”

“Okay,” Candy replied with a little smile on her face. She was still trying to figure out what her role was in this house. She had to admit that Lindsay had been very welcoming and had tried to make her feel at home. But Candy knew that this wasn’t really her home … at least not yet. She was beginning to hope that it might be someday.

“I was talking to JR on the phone. I invited her for dinner tomorrow. Will you be able to join us?”

“Sure…if you want me to.”

“Of course I want you to,” Lindsay said quickly. She knew Candy was still keeping her distance, trying to make sure she was really wanted and wouldn’t be kicked out some time in the future.

“Then I’ll be here. I can come home right after school if you need me to do anything,” Candy volunteered.

“That would be great. I thought I’d marinate some chicken breasts. I’ll get them ready tonight and leave them in the fridge. If you could put them in the oven when you get home from school that would be very helpful.”

“I can do that. 350 degrees?”

“Perfect,” Lindsay replied.

“Um, I could roast some potatoes and vegetables to go with that … if you want me to.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I’m offering,” Candy said testily. “I did a lot of the cooking for me and mom. I can make vegetables.”

“I know you can, sweetie. I didn’t mean to imply…”

“If you don’t want me to do it, just say so.”

“I want you to make the vegetables,” Lindsay stated emphatically.

“Good, then I’ll get home in good time and have dinner ready when you get here.”

“You’re such a good kid,” Lindsay said with a big smile.

“Thanks,” Candy replied with a matching smile.

“I’m so glad you’re here with me.”

“Me too,” Candy said sincerely.

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 14






JR nervously walked down the ramp into the airport terminal. She had her backpack slung over her shoulder and a small overnight bag so there was no need to go to the baggage claim. JR carefully followed the signs to the passenger pick up area where she planned on meeting her mother. It was Spring break and JR decided to take everyone’s advice to visit her mother.

“JR!” JR heard her mother’s voice. Both being small in stature, they craned their necks to be able to see the other in the crowd.

“Mama?” JR called out then ran as she spotted the familiar face. “Mama!” JR said as they hugged and kissed. After a moment, Mel gently pushed JR back to get a good look at her.

“Oh my God, look how much you’ve grown,” Mel commented on how mature her daughter had become in the months they had been apart. “You’re so beautiful,” Mel gushed making the teen blush.

“Oh Mama,” JR gave a shy smile.

“Come on, let’s go find your bags,” Mel said as she indicated the baggage claim area.

“I have everything,” JR stated as she held up her bags.

“Wow,” Mel stated incredulously not quite believing a teenage girl could contain a week’s worth of clothes in one small overnight duffle bag. JR assured her mother that was indeed all she had then they proceeded towards the parking lot.

What JR didn’t say was that Lindsay had helped her pack. With Lindsay’s newly found independence came more responsibility at the gallery. Sidney was sending Lindsay out on short buying trips. Lindsay had learned to pack efficiently and economically. Plus, Lindsay informed JR that Mel would have to have a washing machine!

“Um, are you hungry?” Mel asked hesitantly, slightly unsure of her place in JR’s life now. Mel had made lunch reservations for them at a local café. Lorna was going to meet them there.

“Uh, yeah, I am. They didn’t serve any food on the airplane. I could eat.”

“Great! It’s about an hour away so you can take a nap if you want,” Mel suggested, feeling awkward.

“Sure,” JR responded, settling back into her seat. She had slept for most of the flight but she pretended to close her eyes in order to study her mother. JR had no doubt that she loved her mother and wished only good things for her, but she had to honestly admit that her life was so much calmer and happier now that she was living with her dads. Her dads had no grand plans for her future other than her finishing high school, college and being happy. Their rules were simple, be honest, be safe and just talk it out whenever JR had a problem or question. She relished the unconditional love she felt from her father and the intellectual stimulation and emotional strength she got from Ben.

Her relationship with Lindsay had blossomed into something very special. The time they spent together JR cherished. Both she and Lindsay were emerging from the breakup of their family with better focus on the important things in life. All the rest was just bullshit.

JR gazed at her mother who was carefully maneuvering the car through traffic. Mel looked older; there were a few more lines on her face. JR thought she would always be the ugly duckling next to her mother. Mel was beautiful and sexy. She always knew how to dress and exhibited so much confidence. JR didn’t think she’d ever live up to her mother’s expectations. Now, maybe JR didn’t have to. She now realized that some of those expectations were of her own making. Her mother wasn’t as intimidating as she once thought. JR would never be as sexy as her mom, taking after her father more than Mel, but she knew she now had more...what was that word Debbie used every once in a while? Chutzpah. That was it. JR had chutzpah or to put it like her Uncle Brian would say, JR had balls.

JR smiled to herself. She liked having balls. And she enjoyed working in her father’s store. She was proud that her suggestions for the business were taken seriously and were making the store more profitable. Her mother wouldn’t have allowed JR to spend as much time there as she did. Her dads told her that as long as it didn’t interfere with her school work, JR could spend as much time in the store as she wanted. JR was finding real life meaning in some of her classes as she made the correlations between what she was learning in school and her experiences at the store. Her improved grades were proof of that.

After a long drive, they pulled up near a quaint looking café where Mel could easily find parking. JR looked over at the restaurant hoping that their experiences here would be a lot better than that other ‘quaint’ place back home. JR followed her mother into the restaurant.

“Hi!” Mel cheerfully greeted Lorna with a kiss when they reached their table. Lorna stood to be introduced to JR. “Lorna, this is my daughter JR. Sweetheart, this is Lorna Tilman.”

“Hi,” JR said as she boldly took Lorna’s outstretched hand then discreetly gave the woman the once over.

“Hello, JR, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I’ve heard wonderful things about you,” Lorna said. JR smiled as they all took their seats. “How was your flight?”

“Fine. Long,” JR replied as she picked up the menu in front of her, pretending to study it. Mel and Lorna exchanged looks but picked up their own menus.

A very pleasant waiter came by to take their orders then JR excused herself to go to the ladies room.

“Of course, baby, take your time,” Mel said sweetly. JR wanted to wash her face a little but she also wanted to call her brother.

“Gus?” JR whispered into her phone.

“What?” Gus whispered back.

“I just met her.”

“Met who? And I’m fine. How are you? And how was your flight?”

“Fine, but never mind about that. I just met Mama’s girlfriend,” JR said impatiently. She didn’t have time for niceties.

“Yeah, and…?” Gus got with the program.

“Her name is Lorna,” JR stated like that explained it all.

“And?” Gus had no clue.

“Gus!” JR stamped her foot impatiently.

“It’s not like you sent me a picture. What does she look like?” Gus snapped back.

“She’s tall and blond.”

“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me!”

“No, I’m not, and I’ll see if I can send a picture later. We’re at some cafe to eat lunch.”

“So how are you talking to me?”

“I’m in the ladies room,” JR stated as if it was obvious and her brother was a stupid boy.

“You just got off the plane and now you’re hiding in the bathroom talking to me. Go back and you can call me later,” Gus said reasonably.

“Okay. I love you, Gus. I really don’t want to be here. It’s kinda weird.” JR sounded sad.

“I know, but you know that this is something you had to do. I’m going out there after the semester ends before I go back to Kinnetik. You can tell Mama that if she asks.”

“Okay. I better get back. Later.”

“Later.”

JR shoved her phone back in her bag, washed up then returned to their table.

“We thought you got lost,” Mel joked. Before JR could come up with an excuse, their food had arrived. JR smiled then dug into her lunch.

Later when they got back to the condo that Mel and Lorna shared, Melanie showed JR to the room that had been designated for her. It was a pleasant room but devoid of anything personal. Melanie had hoped that JR would fill it up with her stuff. When it looked like that wasn’t going to become a reality, the women decided to keep the room a generic guest room.

JR unpacked then feeling tired and overwhelmed she laid down to take a nap.



*****



“So what do you think?” Mel asked Lorna after she checked on her daughter. When JR hadn’t returned to the living room, Mel went to her room. She found her daughter fast asleep. Mel took a quilt off a chair and laid it over the sleeping teen.

“I think she looks like a very nice young lady,” Lorna replied.

“That’s it?”

“Mel, we’ve only just met. We barely said three words to each other. She’s polite and very pretty. I wouldn’t have expected any less since she’s your daughter, but beyond that I’m not prepared to offer an opinion.” Lorna was very sure of herself. She might have resembled Lindsay physically but she had a stronger personality. Lorna was not easily manipulated.

“Okay. I’m not expecting miracles,” Mel began. Lorna gave her a look. “Well, maybe a little but I would at least like you two to get along.”

“I’m sure we will, given time,” was all that Lorna would say as she turned to go into another room that served as their in home office. Lorna had taken a couple of days off from their practice to spend time getting to know JR, but now she decided she should take advantage of the lull to do some work. Mel, feeling a bit useless at the moment, since JR was asleep, decided to read through her latest brief.

With her glasses perched on her nose, papers in hand, Mel made herself comfortable on the small sofa in their office. Lorna thought Mel looked very sexy as she was engrossed in her reading. Quietly, Lorna got up from her desk and walked behind the sofa. She reached down to softly caress Mel’s breasts. Mel moaned as her body responded.

“We can go to our room for a while,” Lorna suggested.

“What if JR wakes up?”

“She’s a smart kid, I’m sure she’ll understand.” Lorna punctuated her remarks by pinching and tugging on the hardening nipples in her fingers.

“Okay,” Mel groaned unable to resist. The girls retired to their room for their own ‘nap’.



*****



“Gus?” JR whispered into her phone.

“What?” Gus whispered back.

“Yetch, they’re having sex,” JR said with disgust.

“Well what do you expect? They aren’t dead.” Gus laughed.

“But they’re...”

“What?”

“I don’t know.”

“Don’t your dad and Ben do it?”

“Yeah, but they’re gay men. Gay men are always horny. Mama is mama and she shouldn’t be doing it.”

“That doesn’t make any sense. You didn’t care if Mom and Mama fooled around.”

“That’s because they’re our parents and yeah, I didn’t like all that kissy face stuff but I put up with it cause it meant that they weren’t arguing. Gus, I feel bad, Mommy doesn’t have anyone.”

“Don’t worry about Mom; I don’t think she’s ready yet. She and Candy are still getting to know each other and she’s been busy teaching and with the gallery. Mom will be fine.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yeah. So did you take a picture of Mama’s new snatch?” Gus teased.

“Gus, sometimes you’re just gross.”

“Yeah, well I learned from the best. So did you?”

“No, not yet. She seems nice. Very smart but tough, you know?”

“Yeah. JR, this is for the best. I know you don’t want to hear that but Mom and Mama haven’t been happy for a very long time. I think they pretended for us but they weren’t really happy.”

“I know. Hey, I think they just came out of their room. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Okay. I love you, little sis,” Gus said.

“I love you too even though you are gross. Later.”

“Later.”

JR snapped her phone shut then went to find her mother.



*****



“Mim, are you okay?” Candy asked as she came down the stairs from her room. She saw Lindsay sitting on the sofa staring off into space. That was exactly where and how she had left Lindsay when she went upstairs fifteen minutes before.

“Hm, oh, I’m fine, just thinking,” Lindsay responded.

“Are you worried about JR?”

“A little,” Lindsay admitted.

“She’ll come back,” Candy said trying to be reassuring.

Lindsay smiled gently. “I’m not worried about that. I know JR wants to live here in Pittsburgh.”

“Then what is it?”

“I’m worried that she and Mel will get into some sort of confrontation. I want this trip to be a good one for both of them.”

“You do?”

“You sound surprised that I would want that for my daughter.”

“I … I thought you’d be worried that the trip might go too well,” Candy said uncertainly.

Lindsay laughed gently. “A few months ago I probably would have been worried about that, but things have changed. I’ve changed.” Lindsay smiled up at Candy. “I know JR loves living with her fathers, and I have a great relationship with her. I know she’ll be coming home. I don’t have to worry about that. But I also want her to be happy, and she’ll never be truly happy if she doesn’t resolve things with Mel.”

“Wow, you sound so self assured and confident. I hope I’ll sound like that when I grow up,” Candy replied slightly in awe of Lindsay’s answer.

“You will, sweetheart. I know you’re going to grow into a beautiful, talented and confident woman.” Lindsay watched a small tear slide down Candy’s face. “What is it?” Lindsay asked concerned. “Did I say something wrong?”

“No, not at all,” Candy replied swiping the tear away. “You … you just sounded so much like my mother. She used to say things like that to me all the time.”

“That’s because they’re true,” Lindsay said standing up and pulling Candy into a warm hug. “You’re going to be a wonderful, successful woman.”

“Thanks, thank you so much,” Candy said returning the hug. “How can I ever thank you for everything you’ve done for me?”

“Make those words come true, and that will be thanks enough,” Lindsay said sincerely.

They stood locked in a hug for quite a while. The ringing of the phone brought them both back to reality.

“I better get that,” Lindsay said stepping back.

Candy nodded and headed for the stairs. She needed some time alone to process what had just happened. She wasn’t sure she liked thinking of Lindsay in the same terms as her mother, but that had been just what she had been feeling when Lindsay’s words had sounded so much like Janet’s. Candy didn’t want to be disloyal to her mother’s memory. She needed to think about what had just happened. She quickly ran up the stairs as she heard Lindsay answering the phone.

“JR, it’s good to hear from you. How are things going?” Lindsay asked.

“Do you really want to know, Mommy?” JR asked.

“Of course I do, or I wouldn’t have asked.”

“I met her.”

“Who?”

“The woman that Mama’s living with.”

“Oh, I see,” Lindsay said, understanding JR’s fear that this news would upset her. “I knew you’d meet Lorna. It’s okay to tell me about her. I promise I won’t be upset.”

“But…”

“JR, you don’t have to worry about me. I can handle the fact that Mel has found a new partner. Now tell me how you’re doing.”

“I don’t like it here.”

“Have you given it a fair chance?”

“What…what do you mean?”

“You know what I mean,” Lindsay said in a straightforward manner. “You’ve only been there for less than a day. Give them a fair chance.”

“But, it’s yucky.”

“What’s yucky?”

“Them, everything. Mama shouldn’t be with someone else.”

“JR, life gives us things to deal with. Melanie has made her choices, and you’ll have to make yours. Try to get to know Lorna, and see if you and Mel can reconnect. She is your mother. She deserves that chance.”

“But … I don’t want to let you down,” JR replied uncertainly. She wasn’t sure how to react to Lindsay’s statements. It sounded like she was supposed to accept everything she saw out here and not find anything wrong with it. That certainly wasn’t the attitude she had expected from her mother.

“The only way you’ll let me down,” Lindsay said taking a very serious tone with her daughter, “is if you don’t even try to get along with them. And I don’t want you worrying about me. I’m fine, and you can tell Mel exactly that.”

“Okay, I will,” JR responded in the same decisive manner.

Lindsay chuckled. She could just envision Mel’s face when JR told her that Lindsay was doing just fine without her. Sometimes revenge was sweet, especially when it was the simple truth. “I love you, sweetheart. Try to have a nice time while you’re there.”

“Okay, Mommy, I’ll try.”

“Good girl. I’ll talk to you soon.” Lindsay set the phone down and decided that it was time for a cup of tea. She was enjoying picturing Mel’s face when JR told her that Lindsay wanted them to get along because she was completely happy with the way things were.



*****



“Daddy,” JR said into her cell phone.

“Honeybun,” Michael responded. “I can see the look you’re giving me, but you are my honeybun, and I miss you.”

“I miss you too, Daddy. I wish I could come home.”

“But you just got there.”

“I know, but I don’t like it.”

“You need to give Mel a chance, JR. Have you met the new woman in her life?”

“Yeah, her name’s Lorna.”

“What’s she like?” Michael asked, curious to know who Mel had left Lindsay for.

“She’s a lawyer, tall and blond like Mommy.”

“No shit!”

JR chuckled. “Daddy!”

“Sorry, Honeybun, but that wasn’t what I expected.”

“Me neither.”

“Well, you need to make the best of it. Give them a chance while you get to know Lorna.”

“Geesh! Everybody keeps telling me to give them a fair chance. What if I don’t want to?”

“You need to try, JR. Mel is your mother, and I want us all to get along.”

JR heaved a large sigh. “Okay, Daddy, I’ll really try, but I don’t think I’m going to like it here.”

“But your mother doesn’t have to know that.”

JR giggled. “You’re so bad, Daddy,” she replied pleased at her father’s rather naughty suggestion.

“I didn’t hang around your Uncle Brian for all those years for nothing.”

JR laughed out loud. “I love you, Daddy.”

“I love you too, sweetheart. Call me tomorrow?”

“I will.”

“And try to enjoy yourself,” Michael admonished gently before he cut the connection.

JR sat up on her bed, dropped her feet to the floor and decided that it was time to go face the two women she had been sent there to be with. She hoped she could keep a straight face if she thought about what she knew they had been doing before she got on the phone.

Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 15






“That’s the last of it,” Riley exclaimed as he collapsed into a plush chair that was placed near the fireplace. He and Danny were moving many of Riley’s belongings into the toll house cottage.

“Looks good,” Danny observed as he sat on the opposite and matching chair. “A little sparse, though.”

“I’m not one for clutter,” Riley deadpanned.

“Obviously, but I think you’ve taken minimalism to an extreme.” Riley shrugged his shoulders as he looked around. “So, are you going to give up your apartment?” Danny asked.

“I haven’t decided. I guess I could commute during the peak season or stay at a hotel if I’m going to be in the city for a few days. I’m not sentimental about my apartment if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“Can I offer another suggestion?” Danny ventured.

Riley nodded.

“Move in with me. Now hear me out before you say no,” Danny said quickly before Riley could object. Riley waved his hand indicating Danny should continue.

“You’ve been to my house; it’s more than large enough for two grown men to share without getting on each other’s nerves. It’s a nice quiet street with good neighbors. I have several empty rooms that you could occupy if you’re not ready to share my bed or make that kind of commitment. I enjoy your company, Riley, and I think you enjoy mine.”

Riley gave Danny a shy smile as he slowly nodded his head.

“Dammit, Riley, I think I’m falling in love with you! I never felt like this before. My insides keep on fluttering. At my age this could either be love or gastric reflux!”

Riley laughed out loud as a bit of the over the top Divina made a rare appearance.

“And my garden, it’s come alive since you’ve entered my life. It was such a sad garden before with no one to appreciate it. I’m not trying to replace your first love but do you think there’s room in your heart for a new love?”

Danny’s soulful eyes pierced through Riley’s defenses. Riley stood up from his chair then took a step toward Danny. He extended his hand to pull Danny up from his chair. Danny suddenly found himself wrapped up by Riley’s strong, thick arms.

“Yes,” Riley whispered. “Yes,” he repeated. “I’m ready to share your life if you’re willing. On the one condition that you’ll share this cottage with me. For all those same reasons. I never realized how much of me died when I lost Tony. He probably would have smacked me upside the head if he knew how much time I wasted mourning his death instead of moving past it. You’ve brought me back to the land of the living. I wonder if Dr. Nick can recommend a good gastroenterologist because I think your reflux is contagious,” Riley said just before he captured Danny’s lips with his own.



*****



“I’m going to miss you,” Melanie said as she and JR approached the gate. JR’s week with her mother and Lorna was over. JR was about to board the plane for home.

“I’m going to miss you too.”

“Are you? Really?” Mel asked, not totally believing her daughter. “You still can move here. We can decorate that room any way you wish. And you’ll make new friends.”

“I love you, Mama but...”

“But your home isn’t here,” Mel finished JR’s thought.

“Daddy needs me.”

“And I don’t. I get it,” Melanie snapped back. JR winced as she prepared herself for the inevitable fight. “Sweetheart, you’ll always have a place here,” Mel said with resignation.

“I know....Gus said he’s gonna fly out here right after school ends. He misses you too.”

Mel nodded. Gus made it a point to call her at least once a week. They announced boarding so JR and her mother hugged one last time.

“I love you, baby.”

“I love you too, Mama.”

Melanie kissed her daughter and watched as she entered the gate. JR turned to wave at her mother one last time then she walked up the ramp. A few tears slipped down Mel’s face before she turned to go home.



*****



Spring was in the air and with it came all the hard work cleaning up the Edna’s Treasures gardens of all the winter debris. Brian was hard at work from sunrise on. Justin was equally hard, um, at work, that is. Although his nether regions were definitely impressed with Brian’s gardening skills. So impressed that Justin turned his easel around so that he could spy on his spouse as Brian was raking, toting that spade and lifting that mulch.

“Are you painting or drooling?” Bobby asked with a snicker as he walked into the porch from his end of the cottage.

“Um, drooling,” Justin said as he blushed and unconsciously wiped at his mouth. “I can’t help it. He’s so, so...”

“No need to explain, I married the man’s twin,” Bobby said with a knowing smirk.

“Does John know about you stalking his construction sites?” Justin teased.

A couple of times when Bobby knew John was on a job in Harrisburg, Bobby would do a drive by. John still enjoyed getting physical with his hammer. Bobby was equally impressed with his husband’s physique especially when John would strip down to his t-shirt. Bobby’s mouth would go dry watching John’s muscles working.

“No, and don’t you tell him. I have to keep some secrets.”

“Hey, preaching to the choir here,” Justin stated as he raised his hands in surrender. “Want some iced tea?” Justin offered. He was feeling overheated.

“Yeah, thanks,” Bobby replied. “Um, what are you guys doing for your anniversary? It’s a big one this year,” Bobby inquired nonchalantly. He and John were given the task of getting the boys to their special anniversary dinner on time.

“Not sure. You know how Brian gets. He only celebrates accomplishments,” Justin said as he made quote marks in the air and rolled his eyes at Brian’s well known rhetoric. “Which we all know is bullshit. He’s been celebrating the kids’ birthdays for years. I really don’t want to throw a party. I’d rather go somewhere nice for dinner. Maybe just the two of us.”

“I hear ya. We’ll mind the princess.”

“Thanks,” Justin sighed.

“What’s wrong?” Bobby asked when he saw the wistful expression on Justin’s face.

“Nothing really. I think I’m being a big baby about all this.”

“About all what?”

“This is our tenth anniversary.”

“Yeah and…?”

“I mean officially we’ve been ‘married’ for ten years but I met Brian twenty years ago. That has to count for something. I’m not sure if Brian realizes the significance.” Justin poured them more iced tea then he sat on a chaise.

“You think Brian’s forgotten,” Bobby stated, reading his brother-in-law. Justin gave a slight nod. “Just because he hasn’t said anything doesn’t mean he hasn’t given it any thought. You know Brian doesn’t always reveal his plans.”

Justin nodded. It was true. If Brian hadn’t finalized anything, he wouldn’t want to get Justin’s hopes up. Before Justin could reply, his cell phone vibrated in his pocket.

“It’s Sidney,” Justin said looking at the number. “I have to take this,” Justin stated by way of apology then walked into the house.

“No problem,” Bobby murmured as he stared out toward the garden. Brian was standing wiping the sweat off his brow. Bobby poured a tall glass of iced tea then walked outside.

“Here, you look as if you can use this,” Bobby said handing the glass to Brian.

“Oh fuck, yeah. Thanks,” Brian said gratefully then he gulped down half the glass.

“Easy, pardner, slow down,” Bobby cautioned. Brian took a breath. “Did you have to take on the entire garden in one day? Or are you beating yourself up for another reason?”

Brian put the cold glass to his forehead as he studied Bobby’s face.

“You can’t bullshit me. I know the symptoms of a Kinney with a problem. John starts cleaning and repairing things even if they don’t need fixing. You work yourself up into a frenzy in the garden.”

“What if it’s winter?” Brian snarked.

“Then you terrorize Ted and Kinnetik. Spill, buddy.”

“It was pointed out to me by your husband that the anniversary coming up is a significant one for me and the blond.”

“Yeah and…? I’m assuming you’re working your usual magic.”

“That’s just it, what can I do that hasn’t already been done? He never asks for much and even if he did he could probably buy it himself. I’ve been trying to find out if there’s someplace special he’d like to go but he keeps evading me. If I don’t book something now it’ll be too late.”

“When did you want to go?”

“Uh duh,” Brian glared.

“On your anniversary?” Bobby was trying not to panic. That was the last thing the family wanted - for Brian to fly Justin away on the day of their anniversary party. “Don’t you think he’d like a nice dinner somewhere first before you get on a plane?”

“I could get him on the plane a couple of days before and then spend that day in some villa someplace,” Brian said looking very pleased with himself for coming up with that one.

“You could,” Bobby said trying to remain cool. “Don’t you think the princess would want to be around for the big day?” Bobby was getting desperate so he threw in the kid card.

“I didn’t think of that. Besides, the Squirt did make a big thing about circling that day on the calendar. She wants to make us breakfast in bed. But don’t say anything to Justin. She wants it to be surprise.”

“But you know.”

“Yeah, well, we’ve been practicing her egg scrambling skills.”

“I see,” Bobby murmured looking very lawyer-ish. “Well, the only recourse I can see is that you remain home for the princess and her breakfast. Perhaps take Justin for a nice dinner at Papaganos then stay at the Plaza overnight then fly out the next day to that villa someplace,” Bobby stated very matter-of-factly.

“I always knew you were smart,” Brian snarked.

“Of course I’m smart. I’ve hooked up with you crazy Kinneys, haven’t I?” Bobby smiled smugly.

“Does your husband know what a pain in the ass you are?” Brian asked as he stripped off his shirt to wipe himself down.

“Yup and he loves every minute of it,” Bobby said with a big grin as he sidestepped the shirt flying at him. He laughed as he sprinted back inside.

While Brian and Justin got back to their respective work, Bobby shut himself in his bedroom for privacy. He began to dial his phone.

“Get everyone on the phone,” Bobby commanded then he sat back against the headboard waiting for all the connections to be made. Bobby quickly filled in the family on his conversations with Brian and Justin.

“Sweetheart, you know the boys are too damned smart for their own good,” Claire cautioned. “Be careful how you phrase things; they may compare notes.”

“I know. We have to make it seem like these plans are their own ideas or they may suspect something. But right now it looks like dinner at Papaganos and if they go on a second honeymoon anywhere it’ll be the next day.”

The family breathed a sigh of relief then one by one disconnected from the call leaving only Bobby and John.

“Babe, you sound stressed,” John said.

“Not any more than usual when dealing with your brother and Justin.”

“I’m heading home. It won’t kill anyone if we’re honest with them and tell them the plans if it gets them where the family wants them. Brian will grumble, Justin will get an allergy attack, but bottom line the boys won’t disappoint the family.”

“True. I’m going to start dinner. Your brother decided to do a season’s worth of gardening in one day, and Justin is distracted.”

John laughed. “Sounds good. Need me to pick up anything from the store?”

“Yeah, dessert but no vanilla ice cream. It’s hot enough around here without it.”

John and Bobby laughed before hanging up.



*****



JR came through the door from her flight into the main arrivals level. She walked with authority feeling very grown up after her trip across the country.

“Honeybun!” a voice shouted.

JR paused mid step, and then made a glare worthy of her Uncle Brian in the direction of her father who was hurrying toward her.

“Daddy!” JR said stamping her foot, but not very hard.

Michael’s arms enveloped her in a big hug, and JR melted against his chest. It felt good to be home. Honeybun was all but forgotten.

“How was your trip?” Ben asked as he came up to them. He lifted the bag from JR’s shoulders, throwing it over his own strong one.

“It was okay,” JR replied as she gave Ben a hug too.

“Just okay?” Michael asked as they started walking towards the parking garage.

“Mama’s good, and her friend is okay.”

“I see,” Ben said softly.

“Really, it was fine. Mama is mama. I can stand being there for a few days.”

“I guess I was hoping for more than that,” Michael said with a touch of sadness in his voice.

“I think I finally figured out some things while I was out there,” JR noted. “We’re never going to have the family I used to have. But it will be all right. I think it will be just fine. And I told Mama that I’m staying here with you,” JR stated firmly.

Michael’s smile threatened to rival one of Justin’s. “Was that okay with Mel?”

“She doesn’t like it anymore than she did when I first told her I was staying with you,” JR explained. “But she knows I’ll never go there willingly, and I don’t think she wants a fight about it.”

“That’s good, JR,” Ben said approvingly.

JR smiled at the big man. “I did just what you told me. I was calm and agreeable,” she said proudly.

“You were?” Michael asked in surprise, making Ben chuckle.

“I do have some of Mama in me, daddy.”

“Yes, you certainly do,” Michael agreed as they reached the car.

JR smiled happily. She loved her fathers. They made her feel so grown up. If she had to put up with a few “honeybuns” every now and then, well, daily, that wasn’t such a high price to pay.



*****



“Jamie, are you coming to bed?” Leda called into Jamie’s studio. She tried to keep the exasperation out of her voice, but it was hard, when Jamie should be resting instead of working on another art project.

“I’m almost finished,” Jamie said. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

“I know how long your minutes can be,” Leda griped as she turned away. She might as well go to bed and get some sleep. Jamie could be hours once she got working on one of her projects.

“Ooof!”

“Did you say something?” Leda asked turning back around.

“Ow!”

“Jamie, what is it? Is something wrong?”

“Just a twinge, I think. But a strong one.”

“I want you to come with me right now. You need to rest.”

“Okay,” Jamie agreed. “Maybe I’ve overdone it a little.”

“Good, lean on me.”

“But I need to clean up.”

“Leave it,” Leda ordered. “I’ll come back and clean up when I get you into bed.”

“But…” Jamie started, knowing that Leda’s idea of cleaning up was throwing out everything she didn’t know what to do with.

“No buts! You’re lying down.”

“Okay, okay,” Jamie agreed.

“You know the baby’s due soon. You need to take care of yourself.”

“I know. I just wanted to finish that commission. Then I won’t have to worry about it once the baby’s here.”

“You still have a few days. You don’t have to finish it tonight,” Leda chastised gently.

“You take good care of me,” Jamie said leaning against Leda’s strong body. “I love you.”

“I do my best. You’re very important to me, Jamie. I want us to have a happy, healthy baby. You have to be careful.”

“I…”

“What?” Leda asked as Jamie stopped in her tracks.

“My water just broke.”

“What?”

“I said my water just broke.”

“Yes, yes, I heard you. So, what do we do now?”

“We don’t panic,” Jamie said trying to do just what she was advising Leda to do. At the same time her heart was pounding in her chest and she knew she was scared. The baby was coming. “Help me into the bedroom so I can get some clean clothes. Then you can call the doctor.”

“Doctor,” Leda repeated mechanically. “Doctor.”

“Leda, listen to me. Are you listening?”

Leda giggled at Jamie’s choice of words. “Do you know who you sound like?’

“Ow!” Jamie cried as a contraction hit her. “I don’t care who the fuck I sound like. Help me sit down on the edge of the bed.”

Leda gently lowered Jamie onto the bed. “What now?” Leda looked around in bewilderment.

Jamie drew in an exasperated breath. “You are supposed to be the calm one. I’m the one going into labor. Call the fucking doctor,” Jamie ordered hauling herself up off the bed. Obviously she was going to have to get her own clothes and the suitcase that they had packed weeks ago for just this moment.

“Where’s the doctor’s number?” Leda asked scruffling through the drawer in the night table beside the bed.

“Under the phone,” Jamie snapped back at her as she selected something soft and comfortable from her closet. When she turned around she saw a terrified Leda staring back at her. “Leda?” Jamie asked suddenly very concerned about her older partner.

Leda shook her head. “I can’t remember our doctor’s name,” she muttered.

“Leda, listen to me. You have to snap out of this. I can’t do this all on my own. I need your help.”

“Help, yes, of course, help.”

“Leda, for fuck’s sake,” Jamie said grabbing Leda’s shoulders and shaking her gently to get her to focus. “Pick up that fucking phone and call the number on the paper beneath it. Dr. Patel. Do you hear me? Dr. Patel!”

“Dr. Patel, right, Dr. Patel,” Leda repeated. She picked up the phone and dialed the required number.

Jamie heard her explaining what was happening to whoever she was talking to on the other end of the line. “We’ll head out right away,” Leda said before hanging up.

“Oooh! Fuck!” Jamie grunted as another contraction swept through her. “I think we should head for the hospital,” Jamie advised.

“Me too,” Leda agreed. She looked rather pale. “I’ll take the suitcase and bring the car to the front door. Are you okay for me to leave you?”

Jamie liked the more authoritative sound of Leda’s voice. She sounded more like the forceful woman that Jamie knew and loved. “I’ll be fine until you come back in for me,” Jamie said looking at her watch as another contraction made its presence felt.

They were only a few minutes apart. Maybe the baby would be coming soon.

“Hurry,” Jamie called as Leda disappeared from sight.

Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 16





“Something’s wrong,” Jamie whispered as they were halfway out the door. She stopped as she doubled over with pain. “I don’t think I can make it to the car,” Jamie sobbed.

Leda gently pushed Jamie up against a wall then ran to get her a chair while pulling out her cell to call 911. Leda gave their address to the dispatcher, begging them to come fast.

“I’m sorry,” Jamie cried.

Leda stopped her panicky running around to squat in front of her partner. “Why are you sorry?” Leda asked softly taking Jamie’s hands into her own.

“Because I should have listened to you and now...” Jamie didn’t want to say what she was thinking.

“No, baby, this is not your fault. I was being overly protective. I think I must have been a caveman in a past life,” Leda said making Jamie chuckle. “It’ll be all right, you’ll see. Wait, I think I hear the ambulance. I’m going outside for a minute to look for them and get your bag. We’ll be at the hospital in no time.”

Jamie sniffled as she nodded her head. She found if she kept still she didn’t hurt as much. “Oooo,” Jamie moaned with another twinge. “Hurry,” she begged.

Leda frantically waved her arms getting the attention of the ambulance driver as she ran out to their car for the ‘go to’ bag. “She’s just inside. She’s pregnant; I think the baby’s coming, it’s too early,” Leda babbled. The experienced ambulance tech was able to piece together what Leda was rambling about.

“Do you have family you can call?” the driver asked Leda as the tech went inside to assess his patient and the situation.

“Um, yeah, I think so, I mean, yes,” Leda shouted then quickly apologized.

The driver brushed it off; she completely understood. “Why don’t you call someone so they can meet you at the hospital,” the driver suggested to Leda.

“Family, yes, good idea,” Leda mumbled as she pulled out her phone again, dialing random numbers.

“Hello?” someone answered.

“Who is this?” Leda shouted in confusion. The driver was bringing a stretcher into the house.

“This is Brian Kinney and you called me,” Brian said curtly.

“Fuck!”

“Leda?”

“Yeah, why are you on the phone. I thought I was calling Lindsay.”

“Ah, yeah, we’re often confused. We’re both so tall,” Brian snarked.

“I...Jamie...baby...too soon...ambulance...family...hospital!”

“Fucking hell! Leda, hang up. I’ll make the calls. You stay with Jamie,” Brian said, clearly hoping to get through to the hysterical woman.

“Okay...Jamie...thanks...who is this?”

“HANG UP!” Brian growled then he began making calls, first to Lindsay to explain the situation. After he hung up with Lindsay Brian called key people in Pittsburgh. Even though Leda wasn’t a true part of his vast extended family, Brian did consider her a friend and part of his Kinnetik family. The women shouldn’t have to deal with this, whatever the outcome, alone.



*****



“Leda, we’re going to take Jamie into the operating room,” the doctor said.

“But we were going to do this together,” Leda said trying to stay strong and not break down in front of strangers.

“Jamie’s had a bit of a complication. We think the placenta has separated from the uterine wall. We need to take the baby now.”

“But it’s too soon...the baby.”

“Leda, I need you to focus and sign these papers,” the doctor said. A nurse thrust a clipboard into Leda’s hand. There were a bunch of x’s each indicating a place where Leda was to sign. Her vision blurred as she kept on signing. Someone else guided Leda to a special waiting room, then took the clipboard.

Leda realized she was all alone.



*****



“What the fuck is wrong with you people?” a very loud angry voice cut through Leda’s fog. “Cunningham! Jamie fucking Cunningham! Who the hell do I have to blow to get some answers around here?” Debbie was more than slightly irked at the lack of response she was getting from the unit receptionist. Unfortunately since Debbie was not officially family to either Leda or Jamie, Debbie was not permitted to get any information. Debbie wasn’t having it.

“Honey!” She spied Leda at a vending machine attempting to beat it into submission for a cup of horrid coffee. Debbie quickly took over. “Let me get this, sweetheart.” Deb hit the right buttons for the coffee. Within minutes she and Leda were back in the waiting room with the cup of coffee.

“I don’t know what’s happening,” Leda whispered as she buried her head in Debbie’s ample chest.

“We’ll find out, honey.”

Just then Katerina came into the room. She was one of the calls Brian made. Katerina wisely called Nick who was already in a scrub suit, mask in hand so he could peek into the operating room. Katerina sat next to Leda and Debbie then explained what she was able to find out. In a few moments Lindsay joined them along with many of the girls’ friends and supporters.

Leda would not be alone.



*****



“Kinney!” Brian snapped when he answered his cell phone hours later.

“It’s me.”

“Linds? What happened?” Brian asked hesitantly, afraid of the answer.

“It’s over. They’re fine. All of them are fine,” Lindsay assured him before giving Brian the details. Brian blew out a long breath.

“What did they have?”

“A little girl; five pounds three ounces.”

“Small.”

“Yes, it happens sometimes. They’ll be staying in the hospital for a while.”

“You okay?” Brian asked. He suspected Lindsay’s hormones and emotions would be all over the place.

“I’m fine.”

“You sure? Breathing in all those baby smells could be hazardous for a woman your age. Might give you strange ideas.”

“What ideas?” Lindsay laughed.

“Like wanting another baby ideas.”

“Brian, you and I are the same age. My baby making days are over.”

“You can always adopt. Or get a surrogate.”

“Enough silly talk, I’m happy just the way things are. Besides, I have two wonderful children, and Candy now. My life is very full.”

“Linds, do you ever regret that you and I didn’t have kids the old fashioned way?”

“Do you?”

“No apologies, no regrets.”

“You're full of shit. And I got over it. I think our lives are just as they should be,” Lindsay said with a confident voice.

“Yeah, you’re right. Can I send something to Leda and Jamie?”

“Like what?” Lindsay asked with a smile. Big bad Brian fucking Kinney had a very generous heart.

“I don’t know. A fruit basket, a nurse, a naked housekeeper. Something!”

Lindsay laughed. “Let things settle down for a few days and I’ll let you know. I’m sure they’re grateful you made the calls that you did.”

“Keep me posted.”

“I will. I love you, Brian.”

“Love you too.”



*****



Spring flowers were in full bloom. Warm breezes surrounded the homes of Edna’s Treasures with their scent. It was now the month of May. On Friday May the 15th of the year 2020, Brian and Justin would be celebrating ten years of marriage and twenty years of their unconventional, undefined relationship.

The family couldn’t wait!



*****



“Craig, you know the dinner with the Brenners is Friday night?” Susan asked.

“Yes, I know. Why do you keep harping on it?”

“I want to be sure you intend to go, not come up with some last minute flimsy excuse.”

“Have I ever done that?”

“Yes, many flimsy excuses that I can recall.” Craig shot her a look. “You know it’s true, especially when you know a certain man will be there.”

Craig made a very unbecoming face. “I can’t stand that man.”

“We’re all eminently aware of your feelings about Brian Kinney. No need to repeat them.”

“I don’t understand why he has to be invited,” Craig griped.

“It’s a family gathering and we’re celebrating the twenty years that Justin and Brian have been together. We can hardly have the party without him. Justin is related by marriage to the Brenners, and he comes with Brian Kinney. Live with it,” Susan snapped.

“Don’t I know it, for those twenty years, I’ve had to put up with that…” Craig refused to call it a marriage. It was such a ridiculous sham – marriage between two men. And relationship was far too nice a word for what his son and that man had been doing.

“Longer than we’ve been together,” Susan interrupted Craig’s thoughts. She couldn’t help but remind him of that fact. She wondered how he would react when he found out the real reason he was going to this gathering. He would blow a gasket. She just prayed that Bree would be able to tame the wild beast and keep him in his seat.

Craig made another constipated face. “I still don’t like it.”

“Just make sure you’re there,” Susan said with a sigh.



*****



“Unca John,” Bree called as she ran out of the school. She skidded to a stop beside the big Navigator. She could see that Patrick was already inside.

“Are you ready for the big weekend?” John asked as he gave her a hug.

“Yep,” she said confidently, as he got her situated in her booster seat.

“You have a really important part at the dinner,” Patrick said knowingly.

“I do?”

“Yes, you have to keep your grampa from leaving.”

“Oh yeah, I know that,” Bree replied as John started the drive back to Edna’s Treasures. “I thought you meant there was something else. I can handle Gampa Craig.”

John chuckled and shook his head. If only the world were as easy as Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor found it. Maybe it was that easy when you came right down to it.

“And I have to keep it a secret from everybody, right, Unca John?”

“Totally correct, little lady. Are you up for that?”

“Yep. I’m good,” Bree said bobbing her head and making her ponytail swing back and forth.

“Have your fathers said anything about this dinner at Papaganos?” John asked. They had said very little to him and Bobby. They seemed okay with the whole idea of the family getting together for a dinner to celebrate their 20th anniversary. They were apparently oblivious to all the other behind the scenes activities that were being planned.

“Dada said he hopes the food’s good,” Bree replied.

“He would,” John laughed.

“He said that he hopes everybody goes home early so he and daddy can go to the hotel.”

“He would,” John said shaking his head once again.

“He said he’s really looking forward to taking a trip alone with daddy.”

“He would,” John repeated. He knew what Brian’s motivation for saying each of those things was likely to be. Brian’s libido was legendary.

“Doesn’t Dada like to spend time with you and me and Patrick?” Bree asked with a frown. Her father’s words had apparently just sunk in.

“Of course he does, sweetheart,” John told her. “He just means that it’s nice to have time alone. We all like that from time to time.”

“Oh,” Bree said thoughtfully.

“Your dads love you, Bree, but this is a big anniversary,” Patrick informed his cousin.

“I guess so,” Bree conceded. She really wanted to go with her fathers on the trip that her Dada was planning. He wouldn’t tell her where they were going. She didn’t think her daddy knew where they were going either. But she was sure it would be someplace wonderful like England, and she really wanted to go with them. “Do you think they’d take me with them if I asked really nice?”

“Nicely,” John corrected.

“Nicely,” Bree parroted back.

“I think they would,” John replied. “You know how much they love you.”

“So, can I ask them?”

“I can’t stop you from doing that, but I think you should remember that this is a very special time for your fathers. I think you should let them have this time alone,” John advised.

“Oh,” Bree said with a frown. That wasn’t the answer she had been hoping for.

“You get to stay with us,” Patrick said enthusiastically. “My dads have some big plans for us.”

“They do?” Bree asked brightening up.

“We can go to the Farm and go horseback riding. We haven’t done that in a long time. Dad said we might be able to stay with Grandma Claire and sleep in the treehouse. Right, Dad?”

“I believe I did suggest that.”

“Just you and me … in the treehouse?” Bree asked her eyes getting very large.

“Yep, it’ll be lots of fun,” Patrick said with a big smile.

“Cool,” Bree replied.

Patrick and John both laughed.



*****



“So, is everything in place from your end?” Emmett asked Debbie over the phone.

“Of course it is. I always have things under control,” Debbie informed him.

“Pardonnez-moi, madame, I should never doubt you,” Emmett said in his most ingratiating French accent.

“And don’t you forget it!” Debbie chastised him. “How are things going on your end?”

“Papaganos is all arranged and the menu selected. Cocktails will start at six. Of course, I’m providing the hors d’oeuvres. You know how much his royal heineyness loves my blue cheese and pear puffs.”

“Yeah, never enough,” Debbie retorted.

Emmett chuckled. “The dinner will begin at seven, and our special event will happen at eight-thirty.”

“Do you think we can pull this off, Emmett?” Debbie’s voice suddenly sounded serious and worried.

“Of course we can,” Emmett said confidently.

“But you know how unpredictable Brian can be.”

“I know that only too well, but don’t forget that Justin will be by his side. Brian will do anything for Justin. And as added insurance, Bree will be there to make sure they behave themselves.”

“I hope you’re right,” Debbie said. “My stomach started to get queasy yesterday, when I realized how close to the actual event we’re getting.”

“We’ve been planning this for months,” Emmett tried to reassure her. “We’ve covered every eventuality. It’s going to go off like clockwork.”

“From your lips to God’s ears.”

“As our dear, dear Brian Kinney would say, who needs God? The details are in the planning and we’ve covered all the possible contingencies.”

“That’s blasphemy, you know,” Debbie warned. “I wouldn’t get too cocky if I were you. This is Brian Kinney we’re dealing with.”

“And what about the other asshole?” Emmett asked as the thought struck him. “How goes the Craig Taylor Project?”

“Susan says he’s agreed to come. He thinks it’s a Brenner family get-together with some recognition of Brian and Justin’s anniversary.”

“Well, I guess in a way it is,” Emmett chuckled. “And John has primed Bree to keep him happy?”

“So he says. That little girl has a lot of responsibility on her head.”

“If anyone can handle it, it’s Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor. Just ask her.”

Debbie chuckled softly. It was a lot to expect Bree to do, but if they wanted Craig Taylor as part of the celebrations, Bree was their best bet. “Just a word of advice,” Debbie cautioned. “I’m going to say a little prayer that this all comes off without a hitch. You should too.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Emmett replied before he cut the connection.



*****



“Dada,” Bree called as she marched up the circular staircase to her father’s office.

“Yes, Squirt,” Brian replied pulling his eyes away from the computer screen. He had been examining the latest reports from Kinnetik Isles. Things were going very well for that enterprise.

“Am I wearing my new dress to the party?” she asked as she entered her father’s office.

“Party?”

“Um, the dinner at Papaganos,” Bree replied quickly.

“That’s what we bought the dress for,” Brian said studying his daughter. Something didn’t seem quite right. Bree knew that was what her new dress was for.

“Okay, and we’re going with Unca John in his car? And then I’m going to stay with them while you and daddy go away? Right?”

“Yes,” Brian replied. “Why are you so concerned about all the arrangements for the dinner?”

“Um, I don’t like you going away without me,” Bree said hoping that was a good reason for what she had said.

“Don’t you want us to go?” Brian asked.

“I don’t really want you to go, but Patrick says grown ups like time alone,” Bree informed her father.

“Ah, the wisdom of Patrick Morrison-Anderson,” Brian said facetiously.

“Huh?”

“Nothing, Squirt. You’ll be fine without us for a couple of weeks?”

“Sure,” Bree said knowing that she was supposed to encourage her fathers to go away without her. It just didn’t seem right though.

“Come here, Squirt,” Brian said patting his lap. Bree crawled up and sat primly on Brian’s lap. “What are you going to do while we’re gone?”

“I hafta go to school, Dada.”

“I know,” Brian chuckled. “But have you got any other plans?”

“Patrick says we might go to Gamma Claire’s and me and him can stay in the treehouse.”

“Is that right?”

“Yep. You made that treehouse for Gus, didn’t you?”

“Yes I did.”

“Patrick and me will have fun. You and daddy should have fun too.”

“We’ll do our best, Squirt. Our very best.”

Chapter 17 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 17






With John and Bobby’s charges safely stuffed into the Navigator, John drove them all into the Pitts. The plan was to get the boys settled into their suite at the Plaza then get them to Papaganos on time for cocktails and dinner. The big event would take place just before dessert. However, when plans involved Brian and Justin, anything could happen.

“What time are our dinner reservations?” Justin asked as he was half trying to evade Brian’s pawing hands.

“Seven,” Bobby replied using his lawyer voice. There was a timetable to keep, although the family had made many contingency plans.

“So we have time for play?” Brian drawled as he grabbed Justin’s wrist to check the time.

“No you don’t,” John growled as he pulled up in front of the hotel. “You have enough time to check in, freshen up, get dressed then drive over,” John commanded, not in any mood for his brother’s inevitable nonsense. Glancing in the mirror John saw Patrick lean over to whisper something into Bree’s ear.

“Daddy, I’m hungry,” Bree whined pitifully as she looked down smoothing out her dress.

“Brian, your daughter is hungry,” Justin restated. He could see the wheels turning in his mate’s head.

“John, why don’t you drop us off so me and little Mary Sunshine here can get dressed while you take the kids to the restaurant. We’ll come later.” Brian stressed one particular word with a lascivious grin.

Patrick, also very wise for his age and onto his Uncle Brian, quickly whispered something else into Bree’s ear.

“Dada, you’ll hurry up, right? I want to be with you before you take daddy away. I won’t see you for forever,” Bree said as she turned her moist violet blue eyes onto her father.

Brian sighed. “Okay, Squirt, Daddy and I will hurry up, I promise, and...”

“And you don’t lie,” came a chorus. Brian glared at them as the car door was opened and a bevy of bellmen descended to help.

As John pulled away, driving them to the restaurant, he glanced back at the kids again. “Do we know what Bree wants to be when she grows up?” John asked Bobby sotto voce.

“I don’t think she’s declared anything yet other than master of the universe. Why?”

“Because that was an Oscar worthy performance,” John replied. Bobby nodded in agreement as he turned to look at the kids. Both of whom were wearing smug smiles.



*****



“No,” Justin said as he stripped off his clothes to put on his suit. They had showered at home before driving to Pittsburgh. And unless Brian got him all ‘dirty’ Justin didn’t require another one.

“Don’t make me beg, Sunshine,” Brian said as he did a slow striptease for his easy spouse. Both men’s bodies responded.

“Brian,” Justin chastised in a no nonsense tone, hoping that bigger heads would prevail.

“Can I at least get a kiss?”

“Yes,” Justin murmured just before Brian took the shorter man into his arms for a toe curling, breath stealing kiss. “I love you,” Justin whispered against Brian’s lips when he was released.

“Love you too, Sunshine.” Brian couldn’t stop grinding himself against the man who was his lover of twenty years. And neither could Justin resist Brian’s ministrations.

“No, Brian,” Justin groaned as if in pain, thumping his head against Brian’s chest. “We can’t disappoint the family.”

“Fuck the family,” Brian growled as he recaptured Justin’s lips.

“We can’t disappoint Bree,” Justin panted.

“Damn,” Brian sighed heavily. “You know just how to make my dick soft.”

Justin chuckled at his spouse’s dilemma. “I’m in the same situation, ya know.”

“Yeah. Okay, my little Mary Sunshine, I’ll stop, but you owe me big time,” Brian said as he gently pushed back from Justin.

“Just call me little Mary Voice of Reason. And I’ll gladly work off my debt,” Justin stated logically, wiggling his butt as he went back to getting himself dressed.

As Brian went to put on his own suit he stopped to take a good look at Justin. After twenty years there was little difference. The youthful innocence was replaced by a wise and knowledgeable countenance but little else betrayed the years.

“How do you do it, Sunshine?”

“Do what?”

“Stay so young and beautiful.”

“Brian I’m hardly young.” Brian glared at him. Justin rolled his eyes and shook his head. Their twelve year difference hardly mattered anymore except in Brian’s eyes. It was as if Justin was the only one aware that Brian still had the drive and stamina of a man half his age.

“Justin, I’m...” Brian sat on the edge of the bed with a huff. Justin thought he looked adorable even with the scowl in his eyes and the pout on his lips. But Justin would never say that out loud. Stifling a giggle and the wrath of the god known as Brian Kinney, Justin took the bull by the horns, so to speak. He positioned himself between Brian’s thighs then took Brian’s face in his hands.

“You are not old. You are the sexiest man on the planet. Brian, I’m not blind to the odd wrinkle or the stray grey hair but they only serve to make you even sexier. Men and women of all ages follow you with their eyes wherever you go. I have to work twice as hard as you to keep up with you. I love you, you big oaf. Now cut the shit and the self pity party and get that fine ass of yours dressed. We have a party to go to.”

Justin gave Brian a kiss and his sunniest smile, something that Brian could never resist. It worked.

“Okay Sunshine, you made your point. We’re both fab-u-lous!” Brian said a la Emmett.

The boys finished dressing then went down to the lobby.



*****



“Do you think they’ll show up or are we throwing this shindig for ourselves?” Debbie snarked at Emmett, as he handed her a glass of wine.

The family was enjoying their cocktails and nibbling the hors d’oeuvres while exchanging their favorite Brian and Justin stories. Bree was already ensconced on Craig’s lap keeping the man occupied. She graciously tolerated Taylor who Molly had sitting close by as well. The theory was that with Craig’s grandchildren so close at hand, Craig would be forced to behave himself. The fact that Susan, Jennifer and Debbie were all glaring daggers at him didn’t hurt either.

“They’ll show,” Emmett responded confidently. “They wouldn’t dare disappoint Bree.”

“You know we have a lot riding on that little girl. She’s only eight; it’s not right.”

“If she were an ordinary eight year old, I’d agree with you. But this is Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor we’re speaking about, reigning queen of the known universe. Besides, her fathers are Brian and Justin.” Emmett gave Debbie a poignant look as if that in itself should be explanation enough.

“You’re right,” Debbie said smacking her head with her palm. “What was I thinking about? Bree can handle it.”

“Of course she can, and if not, I made sure Carl brought along a set of those plastic handcuffs the cops are so fond of using. We’ll tie the man down!” Emmett declared with a toothy grin.

“Emm, I love the way you think,” Debbie said as she saluted Emmett with her glass before they mingled with the family.



*****



“What are you thinking about?” Father Tom asked Joan who appeared deep in thought. He sat down next to her. She answered him with just a sad smile. “Joan, this is a party celebrating a long and successful union between two people who love each other. It’s not the time for regrets and what ifs. What would Brian say? No apologies, no regrets. Take a page out of his book.”

“I could have gone to their commitment ceremony the first time,” Joan stated flatly. “Instead I ignored their invitation.”

“You weren’t ready to accept your son’s life back then and now you’ve become an integral part of it.”

“But a mother shouldn’t resent her own child.”

“You’re right, but you know something? Mothers are human beings just like everyone else. And human beings make mistakes. But we also have the capacity to learn from those mistakes, to grow beyond them and make amends. I think you’ve done all of those things.”

Joan remained sullen.

“Humans also have the capacity to forgive. Your son has forgiven you, I think it’s time for you to forgive yourself,” Tom wisely counseled.

Joan looked thoughtful for a moment then she turned towards Tom. He could see a smile slowly make its way across Joan’s face. He patted her hand as he glanced around at the gathered family. The restaurant was brimming with the boys’ extended family.

“On the other hand,” Tom murmured softly. “There are those who will never learn from their mistakes.” Both Tom and Joan gazed at Craig. They nodded in resignation.



*****



“Well, I think it’s rude of them to keep us all waiting,” Craig grumbled even though Bree was sitting closely on the next chair. John had set her up with some of Emmett’s delicacies and a glass of milk.

“Shhh, people will hear you,” Susan scolded as she indicated Bree with her eyes. Craig had the good sense to blush. “Besides, they were given a different time to get here so that the whole family could arrive first. You know all that.”

“Well...” Craig grumbled to himself just as the Sarah Kingsley and the Brenners were arriving.



*****



“I’m sorry madam, the restaurant is closed to the public for the night. I’m sure we can accommodate your party any other night,” the maitre’d said politely.

“But my dear friend Sarah Kingsley just went in with her family. We’re both on the Art Society Committee; we always luncheon here,” Yolanda Reynolds replied looking rather miffed. If Sarah Kingsley was invited to a special event, it stood to reason that Yolanda should have received an invitation as well.

“Grandmama, we’ll just go somewhere else. There’s that bohemian place on the other side of town. What’s it called? Oh yes, Emmett’s Place Too, that’s it. I hear they have those wonderful pear and blue cheese canapés that you like.”

“Well, this is all very vexing,” Yolanda declared. “I want to know why Sarah is here. Christopher, please go inside and ask if Sarah could join us for a moment,” Yolanda requested in such a manner that Chris could not refuse.

“Yes, ma’am,” he dutifully replied at his wife stared daggers at him. He quickly strode into the main dining room searching for his quarry. The gentle family chatter ceased almost immediately as Chris’ shadow loomed across the room. A small gasp was heard from Candy. Lindsay, JR and Gus immediately huddled close to the startled teen as Chris scanned the crowd for Sarah.

“Mrs. Kingsley, I’m sorry to intrude,” Chris stated politely. “Mrs. Reynolds is in the foyer; she’s requesting a momentary visit. May I escort you out?”

Sarah considered the request for a moment before taking the proffered elbow. As she and Chris Hobbs left the room, it became abuzz with conversation once again.

Laura turned toward her beloved grandmother and smiled sweetly. “I’m sure Christopher will be out in a minute with Mrs. Kingsley,” Laura assured her grandmother. Yolanda merely smiled.

“Oh Yolanda!” Sarah called out as she was escorted out of the main dining room. “How lovely it is to see you, my dear,” she crowed as they leaned forward to air kiss.

“Sarah, you must tell me, aren’t you always in Europe this time of year? It must be something very important to keep you here.”

“Yes, yes, it is rather special.” Sarah paused for effect.

“Oh please don’t keep me in suspense, my dear, dear friend. You know how I count on you to keep me apprized of all the social events of the season,” Yolanda urged.

“Well, it’s more of a family event, my dear. In-laws, you know how that is,” Sarah said giving Hobbs a sideways glance. “My protégé, Justin Taylor, is celebrating his tenth anniversary. His family has arranged an elaborate dinner for him. My darling grandson is married to his sister, you know, how could I refuse to be here?! And, of course my darling great-grandson is here!”

“Oh, of course you must be in attendance. But my dear, isn’t Justin Taylor gay?” Yolanda leaned in closer to whisper although she could be heard by all. “Therefore, it isn’t a legal marriage.”

“Oh, such minor details. I’ve been informed by family in the know that the young man has been in this relationship for twenty years but times being what they were they made it official ten years ago today. Oh, isn’t it exciting? Yolanda, my love, I must go back inside. The happy couple should be arriving at any moment. I really must be ready to greet them.”

“Of course, Sarah dear, family is everything. I’ll be leaving for the Riviera in a week, we must get together.”

“Of course, Yolanda. I’ll give you a ring when I’m settled.” The two matrons of society leaned in to kiss the air again then Sarah hustled herself back into the main dining room.

“Hmmph, name dropper,” Yolanda said with a note of disdain. Yolanda wasn’t amused. “Laura, what is the name of that bohemian restaurant? Oh, it doesn’t matter,” she said before she could get a reply. “Let’s just go.”

“Oh course, Grandmama. Christopher, offer Grandmama your arm!” Laura hissed at Chris. Chris dutifully did as he was told just as Brian and Justin made their entrance. The Connollys seemingly arrived at the same time. Although, they had been lying in wait as per the family’s request. Richard innocently chatted with Brian to throw him off the scent of the plot, while Morgan discreetly took pictures.

“Mr. Taylor, how lovely to see you! A mix up in our reservations brought us here on the wrong night; forgive us,” Yolanda quickly obfuscated. “Let me be the first to congratulate you on your anniversary. I hear it is a significant one that I hope all young people can achieve, and again let me say how wonderful your “Then and Now” exhibit is. Now, I mustn’t keep you. Ta ta!”

Brian and Justin stood slightly confused as they watched Yolanda Reynolds hurriedly turn to leave. Chris threw a vile look at Justin while his wife lustfully took in Brian who arched an amused brow.

“You guys certainly know how to make an entrance,” Richard commented.

“What the hell was that?” Justin asked not expecting an answer. Brian shrugged his handsome shoulders then with his hand on the small of Justin’s back, he and Justin went into the dining room.



*****



“Well, thank god!” Debbie reacted as she saw Brian and Justin enter the dining room.

“I told you they’d be here,” Emmett said proudly.

There was a round of applause as everyone realized that the two men for whom this party was being thrown had actually arrived. Brian and Justin looked slightly embarrassed by the reception.

“This feels weird,” Brian whispered to Justin. “I can’t believe they’re clapping for us. I wouldn’t have even come if I’d had my way.”

“You would have come in bed,” Justin whispered. “You’d be on top of me in bed right now if I’d let you.”

Brian snorted. “Is there any better place to be?”

“Me on top of you,” Justin suggested wickedly.

“Dada, Daddy, where have you been?” a little voice asked. “We’ve been waiting forever.” Bree tapped her little foot.

“Well, we’re here now, Squirt,” Brian said picking up his petite daughter and kissing her cheek.

“I’m glad you finally got here; I was worried,” Bree replied. She leaned over to kiss Justin. “Love you, Daddy,” she said.

“You didn’t need to worry, Squirt,” Brian said.

“I love you, Dada. I didn’t want you to miss your party.”

“We wouldn’t dream of it,” Brian said tongue in cheek. Justin gave him a swat, as Brian set Bree down.

Many of the family were milling around wanting to give Brian and Justin their congratulations on their twenty years together. No one mentioned the actual number fearing Brian’s reaction when he was reminded how big that number was.

Over at a nearby table Lindsay was trying to comfort Candy. “Are you sure you’re okay, honey?” she asked the young girl.

“What was he doing here?” Candy asked with a shudder. “He looked around the room, he looked right through me and he didn’t see me.”

“He’s an ass,” Lindsay said not mincing her words.

Candy looked sad. “I wish my mom was here,” she said softly.

“I’m so sorry he upset you,” JR said giving her friend a hug.

“I’m not upset,” Candy said straightening her spine. “He’s too stupid to realize he’s someplace where he’s not wanted.”

“And you are wanted here, Candy,” Curtis told her. He was never far from JR’s side.

“Thanks,” Candy said sincerely. “It’s great to have friends … and family.” She rested her hand on top of Lindsay’s.

“We all think of you as family,” Gus said hoping that Candy truly was all right with her father’s unexpected appearance and equally unsettling departure.

“This is supposed to be a party,” JR said trying to lighten things up. “He’s gone … and good riddance. Let’s enjoy ourselves.”

“I agree,” Curtis replied.

“You always agree with my sister, don’t you?” Gus teased.

“Well, not always,” Curtis countered, “but usually.” Everyone at the table chuckled.

“And that’s just the way it should be,” JR stated emphatically.

Everyone laughed; even Candy managed to smile. Lindsay squeezed her hand gently.



*****



“Brian,” Michael said as he finally got his turn to speak to his best friend.

“Hey, Mikey.”

“You and Justin look great,” Michael said.

Brian smiled at his friend. “Of course we do.”

“Who would believe that you’ve been with the blond twink for twenty years?”

“Has it been that long?” Brian asked facetiously. “It just seems like a few weeks.”

“Time flies when you’re having fun.”

“And when you love someone.”

Michael smiled. “That’s the way it is with Ben.”

“We’re very lucky, Mikey.”

“I know,” Michael replied as he gave Brian a big hug.



*****



“Hi, Susan, Dad,” Justin said as he walked over to his father. Bree was holding his hand and tugging him towards her Gampa.

“About time you got here,” Craig griped.

“We were told to be here at this time,” Justin replied, even though it was a lie. They were almost a half hour late.

“Well, whoever’s organizing this thing should do a better job. We’ve been waiting for ages.”

“Craig…” Susan admonished.

“But I kept you company, Gampa,” Bree reminded him as she crawled back up onto Craig’s lap.

“That’s true, sweetheart, you did,” Craig agreed as he kissed her cheek. Bree seemed always to be able to work her magic on the man.

“I’m glad Bree was able to be with you,” Justin said graciously. He was also glad Brian wasn’t beside him to hear what Craig had said. Brian was still talking to Michael. He would be pissed if he had heard Craig’s words. Justin was rather surprised that his father was there, but also pleased that Craig had made the effort, even if his attitude wasn’t the best.

“You have a wonderful turnout for your anniversary,” Susan commented.

“Yes,” Justin smiled, “it looks like everybody’s here.” He glanced around the room. “And one person that we didn’t want,” Justin added.

“You mean that criminal Chris Hobbs,” Craig stated. “I saw him stick his ugly nose in here.”

“Yeah, we met him at the entrance.”

“He has some nerve turning up here.”

“Apparently he wanted to see Sarah Kingsley.”

“Who gives a crap who he wanted to see! He should be taken out and shot.”

“Gampa, you shouldn’t say crap,” Bree cautioned her grandfather.

Justin chuckled. “That’s right, Bree, but in this case I’d have to agree with Dad.”

Father and son smiled at each other. On this one thing they could both agree.

Chapter 18 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerge Victorious

Chapter 18






Gradually everyone had their moment with Justin and Brian, wishing them well and expressing their pleasure that the two men had been together for so long. The congratulations were effusive. Brian began to feel that nobody ever thought that he and Justin would make it this far. The congratulations seemed as much for the surprise of the two men staying together for twenty years as they were for the accomplishment of actually doing that. However, Brian could also feel the genuine affection that was being poured over him and his mate. He knew how happy he was to have had Justin Taylor in his life for all these years.

The only exception to the congratulatory comments was Craig Taylor who had chatted briefly with his son, but then had remained stuck to his chair, refusing to go anywhere near Brian. It was like Justin had spent the last twenty years alone or with someone else if Craig’s attitude was any indication. Brian Kinney had no part in it at all.

Brian glanced occasionally in Craig’s direction to make sure Bree was all right. The little girl seemed happy ensconced at the table with her grandfather and the Brenners. Although Brian was surprised that Bree didn’t want to be with her fathers at this shindig, he was pleased that she seemed happy where she was.

Finally Emmett asked everyone to take their seats at the tables and dinner was served. The food was excellent – the chefs having outdone themselves for some of their favorite customers over the years. The owner of Papaganos was very prominent, supervising the serving and checking the meals before they arrived at the tables. He wanted everything to be perfect for this special party.

Seth and Jennifer and Joan were asked to sit at Brian and Justin’s table, representing the parents’ of the grooms. John and Bobby and Patrick also joined them at their table. Patrick seemed a little lost without Bree beside him, but he conducted himself in a very grown up manner. Brian also noted that the place cards had omitted Bree at their table. She remained with her grandfather. That seemed rather strange to Brian, but he really didn’t have much time to think about it as the meal began.

Gus was at Lindsay’s table wishing that Ray was there. He popped out his cell phone a few times to place a call to his boyfriend who was still in New York. He was giving Ray a running commentary on the party.

“You are such a dork,” JR observed as her brother signed off and put his cell back in his pocket once again.

“You’re the dork,” Gus responded.

“I don’t call my boyfriend every ten seconds.”

“Only because he’s sitting right beside you.”

JR stuck her tongue out at her brother, and Curtis just grinned.

“Children,” Lindsay admonished.

“Well, she started it,” Gus protested.

“Did not,” JR told him. “I was just stating a fact.”

It was Gus’ turn to stick out his tongue.

Candy laughed out loud.

“What?” Gus asked. He was glad to see Candy starting to enjoy herself after the unexpected appearance of her father.

“You two are too funny. It almost makes me wish I had a sister or brother,” Candy explained.

“Well, you sort of do … now,” JR said. “We’re your family.” She looked meaningfully at Gus.

“Yeah, what she said,” Gus agreed with a smile.

“Thanks, guys,” Candy said sincerely. “That means a lot to me.”

Lindsay smiled serenely. She couldn’t imagine such things happening if Melanie Marcus had been there. She would have had to coerce Mel into attending the party in the first place, and then she would have had to listen to her bad mouth Brian for the entire dinner. This was much better.

Across the room Debbie and Emmett had their heads together.

“Does everybody know what they’re supposed to do?” Debbie asked.

“All have their assignments, Commander,” Emmett saluted.

“Stop it, smart ass!”

“Everything’s under control,” Emmett assured her.

Debbie looked thoughtful for a moment. Then her face contorted. “I just had an awful thought.”

“Oh fuck! Pardon my French, but what did you think of?” Emmett wondered if he had forgotten something crucial to their plan.

“What if our darling unpredictable asshole over there decides he doesn’t want to go through with this?”

“He wouldn’t, he couldn’t!” Emmett sputtered.

“You know he could,” Debbie replied with a knowing look on his face.

“Justin would kill him,” Emmett said.

“Only after I got through with him,” Debbie assured her co-conspirator.

“I think we’d all have to take a number.”

“Then I guess we don’t have to worry.”

“Fuck! I hope not,” Emmett said as he studied the two men who were happily looking into each other’s eyes. One of Brian’s hands was not visible on top of the table. Emmett squirmed in his chair as he imagined just where that hand might be and what it might be doing.

“Are you watching what I think you’re watching?” Debbie asked after a moment.

“Um, depends what you think I’m watching,” Emmett said squirming some more. Justin seemed to be doing his own squirming.

“You know what I think you’re watching,” Debbie declared. “That asshole is insatiable. He’d even do it in front of a roomful of his family and friends.”

“Yeah, but it would be fun to watch,” Emmett mused.

Just then they saw Justin reach under the table and pointedly lift Brian’s hand so it was sitting on top of the table. Justin placed his hand over top of it and held it there. Brian smirked, but didn’t fight what his partner was doing.

“See,” Emmett observed, “Justin knows how to handle the great god Kinney.” All Debbie did was snort.



*****



“Sunshine, do you get the feeling that this is more than just an anniversary dinner?” Brian said in a low whisper, as he leaned in close to Justin then gave his temple a gentle kiss. That romantic gesture elicited an ‘aw’ from many in attendance. Brian subtly rolled his eyes.

“I’m not sure,” Justin replied as he scanned the room. “But now that you mention it, there has been a lot of chatter that abruptly stops when I walk by,” he said as he popped a small tomato into his mouth. The first course was being served at a leisurely pace. Since the whole of the restaurant was devoted to Brian, Justin and party, no one was being rushed. “And since when does Papaganos have a dance floor?” Justin noted that the arrangement of the tables allowed enough room for dancing.

The boys studied the ‘dance floor’ suspiciously.

“Hmm, my dear Watson, the game’s afoot!” Brian declared in his best Holmesian accent as he arched his brow.

“Indubitably, Holmes!” Justin responded with a giggle. “But I’m sure they’re all sworn to secrecy.”

“I agree; they’ve been plotting something for months.”

“Whom do we know that can be easily duped into revealing the plot?” Justin asked as they discreetly scanned the guests.

“Or, more to the point, who can I intimidate into spilling the beans,” Brian retorted.

One set of bright blue eyes and one set of hazel narrowed as their victim walked by on his way back from the bar with his tonic and lime.

“Schmidt!” they said in unison, making Ted jump.

“Oh shit, I mean, nice night, isn't it?” Teddy asked innocently. Ted had been brought fully into the plans as the time drew closer. The family thought it safe to let Ted in on them, since Brian was spending a lot of his time helping out at the garden center.

“Relax, Teddy, we just want a little information,” Brian drawled with a saccharine smile. Justin smiled prettily then coyly batted his eyes at their gullible friend.

“I know nothing,” Ted quickly stammered as he attempted a quick getaway. He made a lock and key motion over his lips as Brian grabbed his wrist.

“Now, Theodore, you know how much I rely on you. How much I value our friendship and your continued employment at Kinnetik,” Brian sneered. “Have a seat,” Brian suggested as Justin shoved an empty chair in Ted’s direction.

Ted sat with a thud.

“That’s better. Now isn’t this cozy?” Brian asked as he and Justin both grinned like sharks at Ted.

“They swore me to secrecy,” Ted whispered as his eyes darted around the room and then back at the happy couple. Debbie noticed Ted in the huddle and glared at him. “They’ll kill me if they find out I spilled the beans.”

“And I’ll kill you if you don’t,” Brian growled.

“Bri!” Justin placed his hand on Brian’s arm. Brian relented, allowing Justin to take over the interrogation. “Ted, we’re not asking you to betray the family.”

“Oh thank the gods,” Ted sighed with relief.

“But you know how much Brian hates surprises. We just want to be prepared. I mean, they’re not planning to roll in a huge cake with a naked man in it, are they?” Justin teased.

“Oh no, no, no, no! Nothing like that.”

“Schmidt,” Brian growled low, losing his patience.

“Oh hell,” Ted moaned.

“A small hint; an itty bitty tiny little hint,” Justin pleaded.

“It involves the Reverend,” Ted whispered. “And that’s all I’m saying.” Ted quickly stood, plastering a phony smile on his face then stating clearly for anyone to hear, “Congratulations, both of you.” Ted grabbed their hands to give them a hearty shake. “I knew all along it would last,” Ted exclaimed then quickly walked away back to his own table. He moved his chair closer to Allen knowing that the family wouldn’t try anything with Allen at his side.

“What the hell does that mean?” Brian asked as the next course was served. Justin looked deep in thought then a beatific smile spread across his face. “Your gerbil figured it out.” Justin nodded. “I always knew you weren’t really a blond.” Brian carded his fingers through Justin's hair, plucking at the dark blond roots. “Your theory, Watson?”

“Elementary, my dear Holmes,” Justin said ignoring the blond crack. “We’re getting married,” he stated as he sipped his soup.

“In case it slipped your little blond brain, we’re already married,” Brian snarked.

“Ah!” Justin raised his index finger into the air. “What makes tonight different from the first time?” Justin asked knowing his very smart spouse would eventually get it.

“Joan and Craig weren’t there the first time,” Brian said after a moment’s thought, as Justin sat back with a smug smile. He innocently raised his soup spoon to his mouth.

“What a sneaky bunch of...”

“Bri, be nice,” Justin cautioned. “They must have gone through a lot to arrange this and to get Craig to cooperate.”

“Sunshine, I have a feeling his cooperation has a lot more to do with our daughter than our anniversary.”

“You noticed that, huh?”

“How could I not,” Brian said with resignation. “I’m sorry, Justin.”

“What do you have to be sorry about?” Justin asked. The tone in Brian’s voice concerned him.

“I’m not the in-law your father wanted,” Brian whispered.

“No, you’re not, but you are the man I wanted. And the man I will always want until the day I die,” Justin stated with conviction, his blue eyes shining with love, conveying his never ending devotion to Brian. “Together?” Justin asked as he held out a hand to Brian.

“Together,” Brian answered as he took Justin’s hand then brought it to his lips.

“Awww!” came a chorus from the family.



*****



Bree looked over at her daddies’ table. She knew it was almost time for the ‘special event’ that everybody was waiting for. Bree didn’t know all the details other than it was her job to keep her Gampa from leaving the restaurant, but Bree wanted to spend some time with her fathers. After tonight, she’d be all alone, with her Patrick and her uncles, of course. Bree looked up at her grandfather then over toward her daddies again. She caught her Dada’s eye. He gave her a wistful smile.

“Auntie Molly,” Bree whispered as she tugged on Molly’s blouse.

“What is it, Pumpkin?” Molly asked as she leaned down toward her niece.

“I have to go to the bathroom,” Bree said softly in her aunt’s ear. “But...”

“I got it covered,” Molly said with a wink.

“Daddy, we ladies must go freshen up. Would you look after my little man?” Molly asked Craig, placing the toddler on her father’s lap before he could object. “And I just want to say hi to Mom for a minute.” With that Molly got up taking Bree with her.

“Sure, Sweetheart,” Craig mumbled as Taylor took that opportunity to bounce up and down in his Grampa’s lap.

“Are you okay?” Molly asked Bree as they walked toward the ladies room.

“I’m all right,” Bree pouted.

“What is it, honey?” Molly asked as she squatted down in front of the petite child.

“I miss my daddies,” Bree said in a small voice.

“Oh, baby,” Molly said as she swooped her niece up in her arms and gave her a fierce hug. “We have a little more time before the ceremony. Would you like to sit with them for a while?” Bree nodded pitifully. “Okay. Do you really have to go?” Molly asked, indicating the restroom.

Bree shook her head, no.

“Then let’s go visit with your daddies!”

“Yay!” Bree smiled her brightest smile as Molly carried her to Brian and Justin.

“Guys, there’s a young lady who wishes an audience with the royal couple,” Molly teased as she sat Bree down on Justin’s lap. The royal couple blissfully hugged and kissed their princess to another chorus of ‘aws.’



*****



“Hey, Pop,” Gus greeted his dad.

“Hey, Sonny Boy.” Brian stood to give his son a hug. “You having fun sitting at the children’s table?” Brian teased, noting that Gus was sitting with the teens of the family. Richie was spending most of the evening sitting with Candy.

“Yeah, but I miss the short stuff, here,” Gus said cocking his head at Bree. Said short stuff stood up on a chair to get Gus’ attention. Gus picked up the petite child.

“About that...” Brian said arching his brow.

“Pop, just go with the flow.”

“So you do know what they’re planning.”

“Don’t sweat it,” Gus said over Bree’s shoulder. “They all wanted to do something special for you guys but what do get for someone who doesn’t need anything and has the resources to get everything themselves. Grandma Joan is flying high about this.”

“What about the...” Brian refrained from calling Craig every name in the book. Bree adored her Gampa and Brian knew no matter how much Craig hurt Justin throughout the years, Justin still loved his father.

“He’s not going anywhere, they made sure.” Gus’ eyes looked from Bree to his dad and to key members of the family including Debbie, Jennifer and Susan.

“We figured out that one.” Brian gently caressed Bree’s soft, baby fine hair. “Do you have any idea when whatever is supposed to happen, will happen?” Brian asked as he met his son’s eyes.

“Soon, just after this course, before dessert,” Gus replied. “I’m here to take Bree back to her table.”

“She has more work to do?” Justin asked as he stood. Gus nodded at the man who was as dear and as important to him as his father. Concern for his daughter’s well-being was written all over Justin’s face.

“Don’t worry, Jus. Aunt Molly has it covered.” They all turned toward Molly who was back in her seat at her dad’s table. The Brenners were in on the plot; Owen Sr. was hovering closely. Craig would behave. Molly smiled back at her brother and Brian.

“Is the whole family in on it?” Brian asked. Gus shrugged. The question needed no response. The boys each gave Bree a kiss then Brian bussed his son’s cheek. “Go and we’ll make like we’re surprised for whatever.”

“Okay, Pop. Come on, short stuff, we have work to do,” Gus whispered to Bree.

“Okay, Gus. Later Daddy, later Dada!”

“Later,” they both replied then sat to finish their main course.



*****



The clinking of a spoon against a glass got everyone’s attention. Emmett, ever the consummate host, stood to make an announcement.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, queers and others...” He waited until the laughter died down. “We thank you for joining us on this very special night to wish important members of our vast family a happy tenth anniversary!”

The room burst into applause, cheers, whoops and hollers as the whole family expressed their feelings. Bree, sitting on Craig’s lap was clapping wildly.

“When we realized that this day was becoming a reality, we...” Emmett paused for effect as he spread his arms wide, indicating most of the family, “we wanted to do something special for two men that for twenty years have been at the very heart and soul of our family. But since they have more money than God, pardon Reverend, we had no clue how to mark this day.”

“Ya mean I wasted my money on the hustler in the red thong?” Debbie shouted from her table.

“Ma!!!” Michael cried out in embarrassment as he buried his head in his hands.

“Don’t worry, sweetheart. He has group rates; you’re next.” The family laughed.

“Hustlers notwithstanding, we decided a little re-enactment was in order. Father Tom...”

Father Tom stood up from his chair; he gave Joan’s shoulder a little squeeze before stepping into the circle created by the table arrangement. He stood still then slowly turned around smiling serenely as he took in the faces of the family.

“I see so many faces who on this day ten years ago, were at Babylon to witness the commitment Brian and Justin made to each other. I can’t help notice that our family has grown over the years. I say our, because I feel privileged to be included as a member of this family. We’ve all grown older and hopefully wiser, recognizing that love, true love, between two people is something to be celebrated.” Tom’s eyes flickered over to Joan who seemed to glow with an inner peace and contentment.

“Brian, Justin, would you do us the honor of restating your commitment to each other in front of your family?”

Brian turned his head to gaze into his mate’s eyes. Justin’s eyes were sparkling with tears of joy and love. They nodded to each other as they stood to take their places with Tom in the circle. As the surrounding lights dimmed, the three men were bathed in soft golden light. Ethereal music was playing in the background as Tom had Brian and Justin recite simple words of continued commitment.

Craig looked around him. He was too shocked to be angry at the trick his family had played on him. Besides, the angelic smile on his granddaughter’s face was almost enough to quell his ire. Craig stared at his son, seeing the beautiful blond boy that Justin used to be, toddling after him as he walked around the house or did chores in their backyard. Craig had so many hopes and dreams for that little boy; his dreams almost shattered by a violent act that left Justin for dead. And yet, that bright little boy grew up into a strong, brilliant, confident man who was now renewing his vow to the man Craig blamed for nearly getting his son killed.

Craig stared more intensely. Even through the dim light Craig could see the love shining in Justin’s eyes. Love shining for Brian Kinney. That same love that used to shine in Jennifer’s eyes and that now shone for someone else. Craig sighed as he gazed at Jennifer whose hand was held by Seth. Her still bright blond hair spilled onto Seth’s shoulder as she leaned against him, tears of joy slipping down her face. Craig turned toward Susan; the light in her eyes had diminished over the years and he only had himself to blame. If he wasn’t careful, if he didn’t do something to correct it, the love that once shone brightly in Susan’s eyes would fade altogether. And Craig did love his wife. Keeping one arm around the little girl on his lap, Craig snaked his other arm across his wife’s shoulders drawing her closer. Susan sighed happily, pecking Craig’s cheek before they both turned to pay attention to the men in the circle.

Brian could hear the whispered compliments from the family in the background, as he watched Justin saying the same words he spoke ten years earlier. Brian realized that when asked, he still had no clue what to say. He didn’t think he could get away with singing that corny little song like he did the first time. Nope, and he had to think quick, because the good friar was almost done with his spouse.

“Brian, would you say the words of commitment to Justin?” Tom asked as he turned toward Brian. Justin’s smile nearly blinded Brian as he cradled Justin’s chin in his palm.

“Sunshine,” Brian began flippantly then became serious. “Justin, I love you.” Brian was saying the words clearly for all the world to hear. “I always have and I always will.”

Brian took Justin into his arms to seal his words and his commitment with a kiss. The family jumped to their feet as they cheered. As the cheering subsided into a dull roar, the reverend introduced the couple.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you............!”



Thyme and Sabina..... would like to sincerely thank all our readers and supporters as we celebrate the 5th anniversary of The Sunshine Files with this, our 50th story. Without your unending encouragement, we would have never made it this far.

Thank you and happy anniversary!

March-May 2010

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1359