My Heart and Soul by starlight
Summary:

What happens when you get everything only to find out you’re lost in a world where nothing feels real anymore? Brian and Emmett rise to the top of the music charts, and find out fame wasn't the only thing they wanted. And the lengths they went to for the men they loved, are no longer a secret.

 

Lorie, you are the best. No matter what I send you help me make it better.

Love ya for it,

Star


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Claire Kinney, Craig Taylor, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Jennifer Taylor, Justin Taylor, Kiki, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Anti-Michael, Established Relationship, Out of Character, What if...
Genres: Alternate Universe
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Emmett/Drew, Melanie/Lindsay, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: Yes Word count: 86557 Read: 114170 Published: Oct 20, 2018 Updated: Nov 04, 2019

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

26. Chapter 26 by starlight

27. Chapter 27 by starlight

28. Chapter 28 by starlight

29. Chapter 29 by starlight

30. Chapter 30 by starlight

31. Chapter 31 by starlight

32. Chapter 32 by starlight

33. Chapter 33 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

 

The crowd demanded more, even after three additional songs were played. At one time Brian relished how they couldn't get enough from the band. Now he just wanted to get through dealing with the people who paid for the meet and greet and leave the noise of the crowd behind. He just needed a break. One that being in Pittsburgh would give him. Bowing to the crowd he didn't give in again but walked off the stage towards Michael, who had his towel and water ready. Brian waited for Emmett, who managed to stop Michael from chasing behind Brian.

 

Both Emmett and Brian did what was required of them, met with each person as they were brought in to see them. They smiled for the pictures and signed everything, including tits, stomachs, and arms, before they were finally left with just Ted and Michael.

 

"I called ahead, they'll rope off the VIP section at Babylon for us tonight. I told them not to let any troll up without my approval." Michael says, excited to be back.

 

"I'm not really up to dealing with being seen tonight," Emmett tells him, just wanting to sleep for a week.

 

"I already promised that you guys would appear," Michael whined.

 

"They also told you they wanted to be off after tonight. That didn't mean running off with you, Michael. Go, guys." Ted says, keeping Michael from stopping them, making Emmett and Brian glad they made Ted their manager.

 

"Bri, think of the guys likely waiting to be your pick for the night," Michael whines again, wanting to see the faces of everyone when he and Brian walked in together.

 

"I promised Gus I would see him tonight. Go have fun," Brian tells him, texting.

 

"Lindsay and Mel can tell him you'll see him later since the tour is over," Michael tells him, not really getting how Brian could turn down getting lucky tonight.

 

"Have fun, Michael. I agree with Brian, not tonight." Emmett tells him.

 

Brian got the alert on his phone that his car was waiting and tossed Michael the towel before leaving them to argue alone. He barely managed to get in the limo before his body crashed from exhaustion. Emmett hopped in as Ted dragged Michael with him. Ted was going to drop Michael off at his mother's house and catch the next flight out so he could catch up with his other clients, Blake and Ben, who were on their last leg of their tour. Blake had called Ted, wanting him to be with them now that Brian and Emmett were done with their tour.

 

"Tell Justin I said hi and I'll visit later," Emmett tells him getting out at his house.

 

Michael was pissed that once again Emmett and Brian disappeared. It had been happening a lot in the last three years. Emmett told Michael that Brian needed a break, but yet Emmett wasn't giving him a break, dragging him to all these high society functions. Michael and Emmett's friendship had been shaky for years because Michael had been part of their band until the record label disagreed. It didn't matter to the record label that he was once in the band, just that Brian and Emmett were what they wanted. He'd overheard one of the guys tell Brian they needed someone who played the drums better than mediocre if they wanted to be on the top. Michael expected them to tell the guy to fuck off, but instead, they signed with him, replacing Michael and giving him a job as a glorified gopher. Michael agreed because he planned to make the guy eat his words after Brian and Emmett became famous and didn't have to kiss the record label's ass anymore. Michael had planned to use tonight to convince Brian that he should be part of the band again, but Brian kept running off anytime Michael wanted to talk to him. Michael knew something had been going on, but Brian was tight-lipped about where he was disappearing to all the time.

 

Brian let the limo drop him off at his loft, after stopping by and seeing Gus as he told everyone he was doing. Mel and Lindsay were planning to let him have Gus for a couple of days after he got some rest. They both looked worried at how tired he was, but he turned down their offer to stay over. Brian needed more than the bed they offered him, and the end of his journey would give it to him.

 

Brian pulled into the garage and rested his head on the steering wheel. Relaxing for the first time in months. He looked over when the door opened and light spilled into the garage. He didn't pretend he wasn't tired when he was getting out of the car. He didn't pretend anything with Justin. Brian just followed the man that gave him an oasis when he needed it from the world.

 

"Go take a shower and I'll bring you something," Justin tells him.

 

"Thank you, but I'd rather just fall into bed with you," Brian said, kissing him.

 

"I promised to take care of you when I married you," Justin tells him.

 

Brian went upstairs when Justin stubbornly told him- shower first, food second, and if he stayed awake, anything else he wanted. Brian sometimes laughed at how easily Justin could make him do things, with no more than his soft voice and beautiful smile. Now he felt lucky Justin stuck by him.

 

*********************************

 

Brian was constantly amazed Justin agreed with him that no one needed to know about their relationship, in order for them to be together. At the time neither of them were even looking for a relationship. They were both at the top of their careers. Justin didn't have people trying to find him everywhere he went, unlike Brian, who couldn't even take a piss without someone trying to take a picture of him.

 

It's what he thought Justin was doing when he walked into the bathroom that first time, texting on his phone. Brian snarled at him, and Justin looked confused as to why he should care that he was in Brian's presence.

 

"You've gotten your minute with me, now go away." Brian had snarled at him.

 

"Narcissism is unattractive as hell." Justin snarled right back.

 

"Taking a picture of my dick won't get it in your ass." Brian snapped back.

 

"Unless it magically shuts you up, I don't see it ever getting near my ass," Justin told him, rolling his eyes.

 

"Look, I just wanted to fucking take a leak without having to deal with people who think I owe them something just for breathing," Brian told him, hating when he acted like a dick to fans.

 

"Breath away, I just needed to piss," Justin told him, wondering why the guy acted like he owned a public bathroom.

 

Brian wasn't sure if this was a joke, but the guy acted like he didn't have a clue who Brian was. He just took care of business, ignoring Brian completely. Only looking at Brian like he was insane.

 

"What are you doing here?" Brian asked.

 

"Nothing you need to know about," Justin told him, washing his hands before picking up his phone and walking out.

 

Brian could have let it go, but the guy really didn't seem to recognize him, and the novelty kept him intrigued. He went back to the charity gala he'd been planning to ditch when he watched the guy walk back into it. Emmett found him and they walked around, talking to people before the auction started. Emmett had wanted to buy a couple pieces of art that were going to be sold and asked Brian to come with him. Brian had agreed when he'd overheard Michael inviting a bunch of people to their rooms.

 

"Why didn't you just go buy from a gallery?" Brian asked.

 

"It's for a good cause and the ones selling tonight are ones Justin Taylor never offered to sell before," Emmett told him.

 

"Never heard of him," Brian commented, watching the guy from the bathroom get swallowed into a group of people.

 

"He's been rising in the art world. Not really your thing. Plus we've been busy ourselves. I met a guy who showed me some of Justin Taylor's work and I've wanted it ever since, so we're here. He actually showed up tonight too, which he rarely does to these things." Emmett told him.

 

"You sound like our fans right now," Brian said sarcastically, wondering where the guy disappeared to.

 

"Shut up, and help me meet him," Emmett told him.

 

Brian followed after Emmett when he saw the guy and it was the same direction Emmett was going. Brian bit his lip to keep from laughing when Justin scowled at Brian standing in front of him.

 

"Is there something I've done to offend you now by standing here?" Justin asked him.

 

"Sorry. I was hoping to meet you. I came because I hoped to buy the pieces you put up for auction tonight. I dragged Brian with me hoping people would be too busy staring at him to outbid me." Emmett joked, hoping to break the tension.

 

"So you've got EVERYONE believing in your narcissism?" Justin asked.

 

"Honey, he's got crowds of screaming fans to back him up," Emmett told him, as Justin still looked confused.

 

"Wow, a fan club?" Justin asked, laughing.

 

"Brian's is bigger than mine. They should appreciate I can outplay any other guitarist in the world, but no, it's all about pretty boy's voice." Emmett joked.

 

"Sorry, I'm still lost here," Justin told them.

 

"We're part of the band Dark Angels," Emmett told him. Justin nodded, in hopes to not make Emmett feel bad that he'd never heard of them.

 

"You came to buy one of my pieces?" Justin asked, hoping not to have to explain he really didn't listen to rock or keep up with it.

 

Brian saw the moment Justin turned it on, becoming what people wanted him to be. Whereas people expected Brian to trash the room, they expected Justin to fill it with beauty, charm, and style. Justin did that with Emmett and everyone else but Brian for the rest of night. Justin also did one other thing no one noticed, kept Brian's attention. Throughout the night, they'd kept a distance from each other until the end of the evening. Emmett had disappeared, likely finding someone that interested him. And Brian, about to leave, ended up being given a room key, only to find Justin waiting for him, naked. Brian had seen the starfucker look, but that wasn't how Justin looked at him.

 

Brian gave in, just wanting a night with someone who didn't want to fuck him because he was famous, and Justin really had no clue who Brian was. They didn't talk, because in both their minds it was about getting their needs met. By morning neither of them were through with each other but didn't want to admit it was more than what it was.

 

Justin had just broken off a shitty relationship and didn't want to answer to anyone. Brian's life wouldn't allow them any peace if they called it more, or were seen together. Only, one night turned into two, and they kept seeing each other whenever it was convenient for the other. Justin didn't see a problem with keeping it open, because just like Brian, his life was busy. Brian waited for problems to start when stories were leaked about some wild nights when he was away. Justin jokingly sent him a party pack of condoms. Unlike Brian, Justin's life wasn't reported on, but he wasn't holding back either, just not having it published. After the first year, Brian no longer wanted others, just Justin. Something that didn't require a long conversation, just both agreeing to try, and not get upset if the other failed. Somehow, without any pressure neither one of them did.

 

Once they established they were in a relationship, the only condition Brian asked was that he really didn't want to deal with it being made public. Since everything they did would be analyzed and talked about. Brian, having seen what happened to others in the industry, didn't want people picking apart every move they made. Justin liked his anonymity when he wasn't showing. And Brian liked that Justin didn't want to use him to get more attention. Emmett figured it out and kept it to himself. He helped Brian and Justin by making sure Michael was busy on the nights Justin would be in town. Brian had to tell Mel and Lindsay since he wanted Gus and Justin to get to know each other.

 

Mel and Lindsay agreed that Brian had the right to decide who knew about him and Justin. They'd dealt with what Brian's fame did to them when he became famous. Reporters made up all sorts of stories about Brian's relationship with them and Gus. They'd lived with it and understood Brian's fears of anyone knowing about Justin. And what it could do to the life Justin liked living. It was the only reason that Mel and Lindsay finally agreed, for Gus's sake, to live in the gated neighborhood, Brian purchased to protect them and Gus. Mel's career had been on the rise but not quite where it was now, but wasn't at the point that she and Lindsay could afford what Brian could.  Mel put aside her pride and did what was best for Lindsay and Gus. Mel was thrilled to pay Brian back when she and Lindsay were finally able to, and Brian did what he always did, put it away for Gus.

 

It worked for the next year, and Justin gave Gus the time Brian couldn't. No one paid attention when Justin and Gus were together. Gus loved spending time with Brian when they could but hated all the attention his father drew. With Justin, Gus had freedom even being with his mothers didn't give him. Gus only hated that Justin didn't live closer to them. Justin eventually bought a house outside of Pittsburgh to be closer to Gus and the girls. Brian and Justin didn't talk about what Justin's move meant to either of them for a year. Things had already been changing, and they didn't feel the need to do anything but change with it.

 

When they got married it was done with the same ease the rest of the relationship had been done. Justin was in Vermont on vacation with his sister, Brian needing a break and showed up. The next morning Brian woke up wanting to tie Justin to him in every way possible because with Justin he felt normal again. He knew Justin picked the lodge because the lodge provided security to guard their client's privacy. He'd never admit it, but Justin wanted his lover's time with him to be peaceful.

 

"I saw a couple getting married last night." Brian brought up the wedding he had passed by on the way to meet with Justin and Molly at the restaurant.

 

"They have a lot of winter wonderland weddings here," Justin replied, not really thinking much about it, as he drew Brian looking deliciously rumpled.

 

"It just had me thinking. It's something you and I never really talked about." Brian commented, getting up.

 

"I never had anyone I wanted to think about it with," Justin replied, not seeing Brian flinch.

 

"And if you did?" Brian asked.

 

Justin heard something in Brian's voice he'd never heard, as if he was unsure. He looked up at Brian who was standing in front of him.

 

"I'd hope he'd want to marry me," Justin told him the simple truth.

 

"If he did, how would you want to do it?" Brian asked,

 

"The same way we've done everything that's gotten us to this point," Justin told him.

 

A couple of days later they were married, with only the people at the small chapel they found. The next day Brian went back to his tour. And Justin found ways for them to be together, away from the rest of the world wanting a piece of Brian. Brian complained to keep anyone from questioning him and went with Emmett to all of the events Justin attended. Since he and Justin could then sneak off at the end of the night. They both owed Emmett for the many ways he called attention to himself to help them.

 

**************************************

 

Justin got a few snacks for Brian, hoping to get his husband to eat before he slept. He smiled when Brian was already asleep on the bed with a towel around his hips. Justin was just happy that Brian would be home for a couple of months. They didn't have to keep up the facade here, something they both hated doing. Brian asked Justin if he wanted to get away together, but the work it took for Brian to get away wasn't worth it. It's why Justin bought the house. When Brian was in Pittsburgh to rest he couldn't get it in the loft he once loved, between fans, reporters, and his friend Michael. Here was a place no one could link to Brian.

 

**********************************

 

Justin had mixed feelings about Michael. He understood why Brian and Emmett found a place in the band for Michael. Justin understood the loyalty, but they couldn't forever feel like they owed him something. He'd met Michael once when he showed up to an art opening of a friend of Justin's. Michael complained that for once Brian could hang out with him, and spent the rest of the night following in Brian's shadow. Michael wanted to make everyone aware of how important he was to Brian's life. Emmett tried to get Michael to leave Brian alone and spent most of the evening shoving drinks and food at Michael as the man interrupted every conversation that didn't center on his close relationship with Brian. Brian and Justin spent the entire night finding places to hide while Michael stalked around asking where Brian was. At one point Brian and Justin locked themselves in the bathroom, only to have Michael pounding on the door while Brian did his own pounding. Brian left before Justin. But apparently, Michael had been watching the bathroom door. Justin came out only to have Michael follow him.

 

"Do him a favor and don't think it means anything to him," Michael told him, actually sounding like he felt sorry for Justin.

 

"Who?" Justin asks.

 

"Brian. He tricks, nothing else," Michael tells him.

 

"Oh, was that his name? Tell him it was fun," Justin told him, going to talk to a few friends.

 

All night Michael watched Justin and finally seemed satisfied that he had gotten the message. He also ended up getting left behind, since Brian was able to slip away to the suite he and Justin were staying in for the next couple of days. When Michael went looking for Brian, Justin left, smiling that Brian wanted everything else with him.

 

*********************************

 

Justin grabbed his sketch pad and sat next to Brian, running his fingers through his hair. Happy that for the next few months Brian was all his. Brian's phone buzzed continuously, not that it was a surprise since it always did when Michael couldn't find Brian. Only, the text that came in stopped Justin from turning the phone off.

 

Their privacy was over.

 

"I NEED YOU TO CALL ME AND TELL ME THIS IS A LIE!" Michael texted with a link.

 

Justin opened it.

 

"King of Rock Brian Kinney marries Art World Darling Justin Taylor in secret ceremony."










Chapter 2 by starlight

Emmett showed up first thing in the morning, along with a surprise guest. Justin didn’t ask any questions since right now he was worried about him and Brian. 

 

“Ted called last night. I told him everything,” Emmett tells Justin.

 

“I’m just trying to figure out how the news found out,” Justin tells him, looking at the man behind Emmett.

 

“I was keeping my own secret. It’s why I understood about you and Brian. This is Drew.” Emmett tells Justin.

 

“Weirdly enough, I know who Drew is,” Justin tells him, laughing for the first time since he read the article as he shook Drew’s hand.

 

“What has Brian said?” Emmett asked.

 

“I didn’t want to wake him up with this, but it’s what we didn’t want to happen.” Justin tells him.

 

Brian, having woken up alone in bed, went searching for Justin. He walked in the kitchen to see Justin and Emmett looking serious. The fact that Drew Boyd was standing in his kitchen caught him off guard more. Justin looked up at him and Brian saw Justin looking stressed, which was unusual for him.

 

“What’s going on?” Brian asked.

 

“Michael was texting as usual and normally I just turn off your phone, but…” Justin tells him, pushing the phone to him.

 

Brian looked at the screaming text then opened the link. Reading through the article it wasn’t bad, but eventually, this would get worse. Now he only had to wonder how they finally figured it out.

 

“How do you want to handle this?” Brian asked Justin.

 

“For now we should be able to avoid it. It’s why the house was bought through a trust that my friend Daphne helped set up to keep our names off the deed. My mom and Molly already know not to comment. Emmett told Ted last night. We need to call Mel and Lindsay so they know, if Michael hasn’t already done it for us. They need to prepare Gus for some of the things he might read that won’t be something he would understand about our relationship. Beyond that, I haven’t thought of how to handle it.” Justin tells him.

 

“We both knew we couldn’t hide this forever. Right now I want to know how someone found out.” Brian tells him.

 

“I know this doesn’t help, but if it had to come out this was the best time for it. We both agreed after last night to take time out of the public eye. So unless they figure out you live here you don’t have to answer to anyone.” Emmett says, trying to help.

 

“Unfortunately for them, it’s going to be about sensationalizing why they kept it private. We all know what happens here, a source close to the couple will end up spewing shit whether they know anything or not. Then it’s all about people who you might have pissed off saying shit to get back at you for ten minutes of fame. It won’t matter that like any normal couple they didn’t think their private life was anyone’s business, just that the public thinks they have the right to know about it.” Drew told them.

 

“I can live with people knowing I married Justin. It was never about hiding him, it was about protecting him from this shit.” Brian tells them, as his phone starts going off again. “Fucking Michael called Deb.”

 

“He showed up at my house last night demanding to know where you were. Drew ended up kicking him out.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Which leads us to you,” Brian tells him, wanting time to think.

 

“We’ve been sort of doing what you two did, without the marriage,” Emmett admitted.

 

“Is that why you helped us?” Justin asked, not angry Drew and Emmett wanted the same thing he helped Brian and Justin do.

 

“Drew isn’t out. And like Brian, I wanted us to be together without the shit it would do to Drew’s career and life,” Emmett told him.

 

“It wouldn’t hurt my career at all. Actually, it’s most likely going to get people more interested in my work because of Brian. Which is something I never wanted.” Justin tells them.

 

“Your art speaks for itself and you know it,” Brian tells him, wrapping his arms around the blond.

 

“What do you two want to do?” Emmett asked.

 

“Tell Ted we want him to be the one who makes the statement confirming the truth. And that anyone giving an interview about us needs to make sure they stick to the truth. After that, I want to know who leaked this.” Brian tells Emmett.

 

Deb tried Brian again as Michael was holding court with everyone at the diner. She wasn’t sure what the truth was at this moment, she only knew that her son wasn’t helping the situation. If Brian really did get married, she knew why he didn’t announce it. She’d been there when they discovered Gus, and she hated all the shit they were making up about Mel, Lindsay, and Brian. So while it hurt Deb a little that he didn’t tell her, she couldn’t fault him for wanting to protect the man he loved from it. Deb wanted it to be true, because out of all her lost boys, he was the one who needed to be loved. And no matter what her son came up with, Brian wasn’t a fool or tricked into this by Justin Taylor. Because one thing all of them knew about Brian was unless he wanted to do something there was nothing to make him do it. Her issue now was wanting to slap her son into next week for once again using Brian to make people pay attention to him. 

 

She still remembered the day Brian and Emmett came to her worried about the record label not wanting Michael in the band. Deb listened to both of them, as they felt guilty about what they’d have to do to get signed. She wouldn’t let either of them lose the opportunity they’d waited for, just because her son didn’t work hard to get the same opportunity they did. Deb had ears, and Michael wasn’t horrible, but he didn’t try to get better, and for that, she told them both to do what was best for them. They never told Michael that Deb was the reason they agreed to sign without him. Instead, they gave him a job, and now she wished they hadn’t. 

 

Deb went back to the office to try to get ahold of Brian again. When that didn’t work she called Ted, who answered right away. She walked out into the back alley so no one heard the conversation. She forgot about Michael while listening to Ted and told him to tell Brian she was happy for him, and that when he was ready for her to meet Justin, to call her. She stood there letting go of any hurt because she was just happy that Brian had apparently found someone to love him. 

 

Kiki rolled her eyes as Michael ran is mouth now that his mother couldn’t stop him. Kiki let him because he deserved anything that happened to him after this. 

 

“If he really got married he would have told me about it. Hopefully, he’s dealing with this Justin Taylor trying to get publicity at his expense.” Michael announced to everyone.

 

“From what I read the guy didn’t need Brian’s help,” Kiki muttered.

 

Kiki wasn’t sure how to stop Michael after Deb walked off. He seemed to want everyone to know things about his supposed best friend, and without Deb there nothing would stop him. From years of knowing Brian, Kiki knew he wouldn’t appreciate Michael’s way of defending him. 

 

“Please, he’s some struggling artist who thinks being a trick meant Brian owed him,” Michael said, hearing Kiki.

 

“When was that?” A guy asked.

 

“Michael shut up,” Kiki tells him when she saw the guy was recording everything.

 

“People need to know the truth, and trust me, my best friend will agree with me. Why don’t you go do your job, since this has nothing to do with you.” Michael tells Kiki, then, happy to fill everyone in, continued on. “I was with Brian the night he met Justin. All night Brian kept trying to get away from him, but the guy didn’t take the hint. Finally, Brian gave him what he was asking for and then stayed with me to get the guy to leave him alone. Brian ended up telling me to tell Justin that fucking in the bathroom didn’t mean anything to him. I felt bad but did what Brian asked, the way Brian expects me to do for him after tricking. I thought I’d gotten through to Justin, but I didn’t since I ended up having to spend the whole night making sure the guy didn’t stalk Brian anywhere else. I didn’t realize the guy had a screw loose, but that’s the only thing I can think since he’s claiming they got married now.” Michael continued, enjoying how he was sort of a hero in his story.

 

“So you’ve never seen them together, other than when they had a tryst in the bathroom?” The guy asked.

 

“Nope. And trust me, I would know since I arranged some of the wild nights Brian wanted, and he was happy to indulge himself. Although I have a feeling the a real story will be Emmett, since I found Emmett and one of the Ironmen, shall we say, not talking about football.” Michael said, thinking Brian would appreciate that he was taking the heat off of him.

 

Michael barely let himself feel bad about throwing Emmett to the wolves. Emmett left Michael out when Brian went places, and it wasn’t like Michael made up what he saw, so Emmett really couldn’t blame him. Deb was horrified hearing the last part, knowing the guy Michael was running his mouth to was a reporter.

 

“Thanks.” The guy stood up and left before Deb could stop him. 

 

Deb fumed as Kiki told her everything Michael said while she wasn’t there. It made it even worse seeing Michael standing there proud of himself, after screwing over both men after they helped him. She wasn’t going to add fuel to the fire, so she dragged her child by his ear into the kitchen, waiting for the cook to leave to kill Michael.

 

“I hope you’re happy screwing over your friends just so you can ride on their fame,” Deb told him.

 

“Brian needs someone to tell people the truth,” Michael tells her, not caring that it wasn’t the truth.

 

“By running your mouth you did exactly what he and Emmett asked us not to do. Do you think either of them is going to slap you on the back and thank you for what you did to both of them? In case you were too busy wishing the papers were reporting you are ‘Brian’s best friend’, you should have noticed what they did to Gus’s life.” Deb says, trying to get through to him.

 

“I’m sure it was so bad getting a huge house and servants for them.” Michael blows off.

 

“They got bodyguards Michael. Because the press turned their life into a nightmare. You need to get it in your head that your best friend needed you to be his friend. Emmett needed you to be the friend he’s been to you. Instead, Brian gets to deal with how to protect his husband, yes Michael, I said husband. While Emmett ends up caught in the middle because for some reason you wanted to hurt him, for whatever reason you came up with. Don’t be surprised when they both wash their hands of you for the shit that reporter is likely going to write because you ran your mouth.” Deb tells him, ashamed of Michael.

 

“Don’t believe Brian’s married just because someone printed it.” Michael tells her.

 

“I believe it because I talked to Ted, who is about to make a statement confirming it. So enjoy the fact that everyone is now going to know you really have no idea about Brian’s life. While Emmett figures out he should have left you out of his.” Deb tells him.

 

“Brian wouldn’t do something like this to me. He knows he owes me for what he and Emmett did to me. They kicked me out and fucking made me a towel boy while they got everything I helped them get. Then Emmett started acting like he was more important to Brian than I was.” Michael tells her.

 

“If anyone OWES you for what happened, it’s me. I told both of them to not to give up something they worked for, but you didn’t!” Deb shouted, angry.

 

“What?” Michael asked.

 

“They almost didn’t sign because of you. I wouldn’t let them ruin their chance when they had worked their ass off for it. You sat back, while both of them worked on songs together, got gigs, and had to pay other people to play the drums when you didn’t show up. I told them to do what was best for them.” Deb told him, not willing to lie about it anymore. 

 

“You just didn’t want me to succeed because you hated that you never did!” Michael sneered, hating her for ruining his life.

 

“You didn’t deserve to succeed by ruining their lives waiting for you to grow up,” Deb tells him.

 

“If I’m a failure, it’s because I learned it from you and Uncle…” The slap was loud enough that the diner became silent.

 

“Hate me all you want. But never, I repeat never, say a word about my brother, who was always there to support us when he could have ignored us. Vic loved you, even when you were ashamed of everything he and I did to keep you. Get out of this diner, out of the house you don’t appreciate, and find what being my son obviously denied you.” Deb tells him, walking away from him.

 

Michael walked towards the front, deciding to let Deb cool down before he tried to convince her he didn’t mean any of it. He was almost to the door when someone turned up the TV and he saw Ted in front of the cameras.

 

“I won’t be taking questions since as of right now my client asked me to only make a statement. Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor are married and have been for the last year. As to why they remained silent about it; they didn’t feel their personal life belonged to the public. Also, for now, they would like everyone to understand their silence is only because they both would like to enjoy being together with the end of Brian’s tour. I’d also warn anyone planning to give interviews discussing their life to make sure they don’t spin a tale that can’t be verified. I personally want to congratulate the couple, and hope they will have continued happiness for finding each other.” 

 

Ted left with questions flying. Michael left furious, dialing Brian’s number. 


Chapter 3 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I finished chapter four and since I didn't want to keep a fangirl waiting here's chapter three. Thanks for all the comments so far and also for always keeping my muse alive for reading the things I come up with.

 

Star

 

 

Blake watched as Ted paced, talking on the phone. He wanted to kill whoever exploded Brian's life and made it so he and Ted couldn't spend time together. Granted, Ted thought he was only coming because they needed him to deal with their band, and had figured out everything was running smoothly without him. Ted seemed confused at why Blake insisted he come, instead of taking the time off he had planned before Blake called. Blake had hoped Ted would figure out why he wanted him here, because he was tired of acting like he only wanted to be friends with Ted.

 

"Are you sure he was a reporter?" Ted asked Deb when she explained why she'd called ten times in a row.

 

Ted tried to ignore the phone calls when Blake insisted he needed to talk with him. But Ted finally answered, hoping he wasn't going to have to put out more fires. Then wishing he could put a pillow over Michael's head and smother him, after he killed Emmett for not telling him his little secret. He hated that he was going to have put off whatever Blake seemed to want to talk about, but right now he needed to deal with what was going to explode, not just in Brian's life but in Emmett's.

 

Ted felt horrible since Blake's band was just as important to him, but everything here was under control. "I have to go back and help them, can this wait?" Ted asked, stressed out.

 

"I guess... No, it can't." Blake decided.

 

"Cynthia can do anything you need, and I'll try to get back soon so you can tell me whatever it is," Ted told him, trying not make Blake feel like he wasn't important to Ted too.

 

"She can't handle this or give me what I need, only you can," Blake told him, not sure why he was so nervous. It was Ted, the one who did everything to help Blake.

 

"Once I deal with this we can sit and I'll make it all better," Ted said, sitting down next to Blake, starting to worry about him.

 

Blake knew Ted didn't need even more stress on top of everything else he had overheard as Ted paced, listening to Deb. Blake knew he should just let Ted go, and wait until everything was dealt with. Only, Blake was tired of waiting for it to be the right time to tell Ted that he wanted more than to be one of Ted's clients.

 

"Okay, but just one thing before you go," Blake told him, leaning over and kissing the lips he wrote songs about.

 

Ted pulled back, not wanting to, but not sure where that came from. It wasn't that he wasn't attracted to Blake. He just didn't think Blake saw him as anyone but reliable Ted.

 

"I want you to think about that, and know if you need me I'll drop everything to help you," Blake told him, as Ted struggled to let go of the idea Blake wanted him, instead of just being concerned for him.

 

"Thank you for trying to help," Ted told him, getting up before he did something to make a bigger ass out of himself, for thinking Blake was doing anything but trying to comfort Ted while he was dealing with all the other shit.

 

"I was trying to show you that I love you. If it's not what you want, I'll back off." Blake tells him.

 

"Why... when?" Ted asked, shocked.

 

"Pretty much from the day we signed, but you never acted like you were interested," Blake said looking down at his hands.

 

Ted raised Blake's face to look at him. "I want to stay and show you that you were wrong," Ted told him.

 

"But?" Blake asked.

 

"No buts. I want to, it's just that Brian and Emmett's lives are going to be a nightmare. I don't want them to deal with it when I can do it for them. When your tour finishes next week, come to me, because I'll need you too." Ted told him, kissing him as Ben came in, smiling that Blake finally told Ted.

 

"I can leave if you need me to," Ben told them.

 

"Is there anything we can do?" Blake asked Ted.

 

"No. Hopefully no one believed Michael about Emmett, but you guys know what reporters are like," Ted told them.

 

"Does anyone know who did this to Brian?" Ben asked, worried since they shared the same staff.

 

"I have Cynthia looking into it when you two don't need her. Hell, I didn't even know about it until after it came out." Ted told them.

 

"Did you?" Blake asked Ben.

 

"No. I mean I've seen them at a few things together, but didn't realize they even knew each other. I thought Justin got married, but only because I saw he was wearing a ring, then he took it off as if he had forgotten to, during a party I was at. Brian, other than not wanting to go out partying lately, disappeared without explanation, which he didn't owe any of us." Ben told them.

 

"I didn't notice since I cleaned up my act and stayed away from everything. It wasn't like I was close to either of them." Blake told them.

 

"They both understood and are glad you did it," Ted told him.

 

"We could cancel the next three concerts if Brian and Emmett need us." Blake offered.

 

"I'm hoping we can keep a lid on Emmett for now. Brian's marriage might have them looking for information, but Emmett's boyfriend will turn this into a bigger circus." Ted told them.

 

"Emmett's actually in a relationship?" Ben said, barely believing it.

 

"It's who Emmett's in a relationship with that's the problem." Blake told Ben.

 

"Well, unless it's a married politician, or someone else famous... Oh." Ben said, getting it when Ted nodded.

 

"In a sport where no one wants to believe a gay man is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL." Ted told them, knowing neither of them would say a word.

 

"If Emmett wants, I'll help him by dispelling the rumors. We didn't work out, but it would be believable." Ben offered.

 

"I'll let him know your willing to help. I have to get to the airport." Ted told them.

 

"Call me, even if you just need to vent." Blake told him, pulling him into one last kiss.

 

"I'll call just because, and you finish your tour." Ted told them, walking out.

 

"God this sucks," Blake told Ben.

 

"We could see if we could at least help figure out who leaked all this." Ben told him.

 

"Michael leaked the Emmett thing, for spite." Blake told him.

 

"He blames Emmett for being kicked out of the band," Ben commented.

 

"And you know this how?" Blake asked, praying Ben hadn't fallen for the little asshole.

 

"We fucked, nothing more. But he seemed to think it meant telling me all his sad ‘woe is me' stories about how horribly everyone treated him. That was all it took for me to decide not to make that mistake again." Ben assured him.

 

"Did Brian know about it?" Blake asked.

 

"I didn't see any reason to bring it up since I wasn't poaching. Brian wasn't interested in Michael." Ben told him.

 

"Michael seems to want to believe he was," Blake told him.

 

"Michael would drop Brian if he found someone else that would get him the attention Emmett and Brian have. It's why I didn't want more from him." Ben told him.

 

Michael showed up at Lindsay and Mel's gated community, hoping that Brian was there. He wanted Brian to explain to him how he planned to get rid of the fucking husband he never told Michael about. It didn't matter how much Ted tried to make it sound like Brian was happy, Michael wouldn't believe it. He got to the gatehouse that blocked the entrance to the houses behind it, only to be stopped by the security guy, Kyle.

 

"I'm sorry Mr Novotny, you've been taken off the list of visitors allowed in." Kyle told him.

 

"Call them again. It's a mistake, I'm always welcome." Michael told him.

 

Kyle didn't argue but placed the call, and handed Michael the phone when Lindsay asked him to.

 

"Ms Peterson would like to talk to you." He told Michael, who smirked at Kyle as if he'd won.

 

"I told him he was wrong, so how about I just come in and we can talk?" Michael asked Lindsay.

 

"Actually he was right Michael. I don't want you in my house or around my son. I'm only talking to you to relay a message from Mel and Ted that they need to see you at Mel's office tomorrow morning at ten." Lindsay told him, holding back everything else she wanted to say.

 

"They can wait until you tell me where to find Brian," Michael demands.

 

"That I can tell you. Hopefully staying as far the fuck away from you as he can get, that's where." Lindsay said, hanging up.

 

"Have a nice day," Kyle told him, taking the phone and shutting the door.

 

Michael left, pissed that she thought she could talk to him that way. He was also angry he was now going to have to spend money on a hotel until his mother cooled off. Then he remembered he did have a place he could go, and where he could wait for Brian to show up. Michael ended up having to park a block away with all the people wandering around and smiled as he tried to use his key to get into the building, losing his balance when someone opened the door after he couldn't get his key to work. Only to end up on his ass, being trampled as people shoved him out of the way to try to get to Brian's loft. Only to end up at the police station with all the others he'd been fighting with, trying to get into the loft. He'd called Deb to come and bail him out, but she told him Ted planned to show up instead. Michael let the cop know that the manager of Brian's band would be here to prove he wasn't trespassing like the other assholes. A couple of hours later Michael was still sitting with everyone else while Ted was given the go-ahead by Brian and Emmett to do what he was going to do either way. 

 

Chapter 4 by starlight

Ted just wanted to sleep and dream of Blake, but his boys needed him right now. For a second he was angry they’d thought they had to keep it from him. But by the time he landed he realized he couldn’t be angry; they wanted something they didn’t have to share with the world. The realization came when he already had arguments prepared as to why it was none of their business if he and Blake were together. 

 

They’d watched Blake’s downward spiral and Ted running himself ragged to help Blake get away from all the people who contributed to it in order to keep Blake from seeing what the parties, drugs, and alcohol were doing to him. He knew Brian and Emmett still didn’t trust Blake not to fall again and leave Ted to have to clean up after his mess. Which only made Ted not want to tell them he wanted what Blake wanted. Ted got out of the car at the house in the middle of nowhere. The one that Justin Taylor purchased to protect Brian’s life. Brian hadn’t said it, but everything around the house did. From the eight foot walls to the trees blocking every possible photographer from being able to peep into the house. For that Justin Taylor was now someone Ted considered his friend since he was about to lose one.

 

Ted spent the whole flight reading up on the two men who he was going to have to protect as well as Brian and Emmett. The reporters weren’t going to get much on Justin since he seemed to lead a quiet life with his family in New Hampshire. Everything Ted found on Justin only made him look like a saint who married the sinner. The fans were mixed on the marriage, but Ted expected it, since they likely fantasized about Brian belonging to them. Ted snorted at that thought, thinking Michael would enjoy reading those comments, likely thinking the same thing. Looking at Justin’s pictures that were available Ted could see why Brian would be interested. 

 

Drew was a whole different and much bigger problem. He was engaged to a woman, yet he and his fiancee didn’t seem to want to set a date at all. Ted decided beard, because the pictures of them together reminded him of how friends look at each other. Not the ‘I want you alone so I can do bad things to you’ look. Every time the fiancee was interviewed, she found a way to change the subject from their marriage to her pet projects. When Drew was interviewed and asked about her, the only answer was ‘she’s my best friend’. A phrase that Ted had come to despise because it had caused nothing but trouble for Brian.

 

Deb’s call about Michael was just the topping on his shit day, and he let her know he’d deal with it too. Michael couldn’t avoid the conversation from behind bars the way he likely planned to anyway. He managed to keep Lindsay from saying anything to Brian or Emmett, asking for time to deal with Michael. He also reminded Lindsay that his conversation with Mel was done as a client and she shouldn’t have been listening when he and Mel were talking. 

 

“Hey, everyone is in the pool house,” Justin said as he stood by the door, watching Ted looking around the grounds.

 

“Hello Mr Kinney.” Ted said, trying to break the ice.

 

“It’s Justin to friends,” Justin told him.

 

“Yesterday I really wasn’t sure, Justin,” Ted told him.

 

“What about today?” Justin asked as Ted followed him to the of the house.

 

“Today you are probably the only one that I like,” Ted told him, looking around.

 

“Brian and I didn’t know about Drew either.” Justin told him.

 

“How did you two do it?” Ted asked him, stopping them.

 

“By living up to what people expected of us. Which was easy for me since my family taught my sister and me since birth.” Justin answered.

 

“Do your parents know?” Ted asked, wanting to know about anyone who could talk.

 

“My parents and sister do, but only because my sister found out Brian and I got married and blurted it out only to my parents. My parents are used to me not telling them things, so it was nothing new to them.” Justin told him.

 

“Does anyone else in your life know?” Ted asked.

 

“My best friend does since she helped me buy this house. Since it seems like you’re asking, she hasn’t told anyone in the three years Brian and I have been together. My family kept it to themselves, and my agent reamed me out this morning when I finally picked up, for not telling her either. Brian’s privacy wasn’t up for debate with me, because the interest in my name this morning isn’t the reason I love my husband.” Justin told him.

 

“I’m asking so I know who we have to prepare when the press starts finding them.” Ted told him.

 

“Sorry. I’m  just stressed about this, I didn’t mean to take it out on you. I just wanted this break to give Brian a chance to relax. I hate feeling like we have to defend ourselves, even though you asked because your the one having to do it. And it’s new to me since my career doesn’t have this kind of exposure.” Justin told him.

 

“I’m about to add even more stress.” Ted told him, as they enter the pool room.

 

Ted had no doubt the reflective glass was so they could see out but no one could see in. Justin gave Brian a place he could be without the outside world invading no matter how hard they tried. Ted couldn’t see a reason Brian shouldn’t have married Justin when everything was done to protect Brian.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you,” Emmett told Ted, as Drew stayed back.

 

“You shouldn’t have felt like you had to. I would have understood, but both of you did what you thought was best for you. Now we need to sit down and talk about where we go from here, because there’s more I didn’t want to tell you over the phone.” Ted told all of them.

 

“Did you find out who leaked our marriage?” Brian asked.

 

“Cynthia’s working on that now. Once I find out we’ll handle that too. But your marriage isn’t the only problem we’re dealing with.” Ted told Brian, looking at Emmett.

 

“Drew and I talked about it, but we don’t see a reason to change anything,” Emmett commented.

 

“You two won’t have a choice,” Ted told them.

 

“Why?” Brian asked.

 

“Because the towel boy decided to announce it for Emmett.” Ted told them.

 

“WHAT!!!… How could he???…” Emmett asked, devastated.

 

“I’m going to kill that motherfucker, do you understand me.” Drew told Ted, wrapping Emmett in his arms and trying to comfort him.

 

“He hasn’t told anyone who you are, so you still have an out. Ben offered to come and help Emmett dismiss it as nothing but gossip by making it look like he and Emmett are trying again. If we choose that direction, you can’t come near Emmett for a while. Which also means killing the motherfucker is off the table.” Ted told him.

 

“It could work.” Emmett told Drew, hating the idea.

 

“No, it wouldn’t, because I won’t sit around watching you with someone else. I’m tired of pretending there's anything wrong with who I love.” Drew told Emmett.

 

 “How will your fiancee feel about it?” Ted asked.

 

“Sierra probably likes Emmett more than she likes me.” Drew told him.

 

“Is she going to like dealing with what people are going to say when it looks like you used her?” Ted asked.

 

“She and I talked about it, and she told me she would support me if I ever fell in love.” Drew told them.

 

“I want you both to discuss this and decide what you want to do, while I talk to Brian.” Ted told Emmett and Drew. 

 

“The only thing I see with you and Justin is going to be people trying to find out everything. Justin’s life will really limit them. The marriage being only a year old helps us, because Brian was no longer making headlines being the bad boy of rock. Unfortunately, that wasn’t true for the previous two years you two were together. Even during year two, you were seen with others.” Ted told Brian.

 

“The key word is seen. Nothing happened, but they were happy to act like it did.” Brian told him.

 

“It won’t matter.” Ted told him.

 

“Brian and I left our relationship open the first year. It wasn’t exclusive and we both agreed. The second year that changed, and being seen with others, then disappearing, became what people expected. After we were married, he just started disappearing, since we no longer cared what anyone expected.” Justin told him.

 

“And all because you did something I didn’t expect the night we met.” Brian smiled.

 

“By the end of the night I wanted to see if your dick in my ass would really magically shut you up.” Justin said, kissing him.

 

“Okay boys, Uncle Teddy needs your attention now. What I was trying to say is, if asked, what you want me to say, three years or two?” Ted asked.

 

“Two?” Justin asked Brian.

 

“For Gus, it would be better, and we really didn’t call it a relationship until then.” Brian tells him.

 

“Emmett, what am I doing with you, Ben or Drew?” Ted asked.

 

“Me.” Drew told him.

 

“Hopefully, the reporter Michael told will sit on this, trying to find out which Ironman. But we need to make sure Sierra is ready too.” Ted told them.

 

“Justin, you said your family is used to not being told anything, are there problems?” Ted asked wanting to cover everything.

 

“No. Both of them were just shocked that I married Brian.” Justin answered.

 

“They were hoping for stockbroker, not rockstar.” Brian joked.

 

“Dad got over it, when you kicked his ass at the golf tournament. But to answer your question, my parents aren’t the ‘home for every holiday’ kind of people. After Molly and I left the house, they jumped back into the social whirl. My Dad wasn’t thrilled I was gay, but he lives with it; while my mother turned into a Dark Angel fan, for her new son. One thing they understood because of our life, was what the press will do if they smell gossip, and so they kept it to themselves.” Justin told him.

 

“Brian’s family knows what they’ll lose if they talk. Mel and Lindsay know you two got married, but they were shocked at finding it out through the press. I'm dealing with Michael through Mel, and I have a feeling Lindsay’s hurt right now. I'm only telling you this because we know Lindsay sometimes reacts like Michael when Brian does something without telling her.” Ted told them.

 

“They knew Justin and I were together.” Brian told him.

 

“So, likely Lindsay was thrilled that she got to know when Michael didn’t. Now she’s dealing with the fact that she didn't get to know it all. If it becomes a problem then I need to know.” Ted told him.

 

“Here’s the part I’m telling you, not asking either of you. Michael is out. I’m done letting either of you show him the loyalty he didn’t show either of you at the diner yesterday. I’m also enforcing the NDA he signed, if asked, as the reason for termination. He doesn’t get to shit on Emmett or you any longer. Deb wasn’t calling either of you because she was upset, but because she was worried, and she wants you to call when you’re ready for her to meet Justin. I told her already that Mel and I will deal with Michael. I’ll be arranging for new numbers for all of you, which will only I’ll have, it’s up to you who else gets them. I’ve also canceled any interviews that were scheduled until both of you are ready to talk.” Ted told them.

 

“Emmett, if you and Drew need to stay here, it’s fine,” Justin told them.

 

“Since he bought a fortress it would make sense,” Ted told them.

 

“You can stay too Ted. You look like you need some sleep.” Justin told him, making Ted think Justin was really too much of a saint and that he was attracted to Brian because he needed a little sin in his life.

 

“Actually I just need to deal with this stuff right away. I have a life I’d like to try to live myself.” Ted told them.

 

“Keeping your own secrets, Teddy?” Emmett teased, not wanting to think about the rest.

 

“I didn’t know until Blake told me.” Ted answered.

 

“Now that you do?” Brian asked.

 

“It’s no one else’s business.” Ted said, which Brian and Emmett understood.

 

 

 

Chapter 5 by starlight

Ted took his time picking up Mel. He knew Michael probably thought he was going to bail him out, but then Michael’s delusions weren’t Ted problem. Ted pulled over and talked to Cynthia, who was working with the security firm to clear each employee. They were looking at more than phone calls; if something in anyone’s life changed, meaning making bad decision for a pay off; if anyone noticed another person paying more attention to Brian than before; or anyone mentioning it as a rumor before it came out. Cynthia and Ted went first before listing anyone else in Brian’s life, even though Brian and Emmett wouldn’t have asked. He added Justin’s family and the friend, just doing his job.


Mel and Lindsay were included, even though they both sounded just as shocked as he was. It wasn’t that he wanted them to be guilty of anything, just not wanting to overlook anyone.


“How are Brian and Justin doing?” Mel asked.


“Better than Emmett is.” Ted told her.


“I let the editor know facts won’t get them sued and he’s willing to kill it if he can interview Brian and Justin. I said no deal, because we know he’ll run it when he has an answer. We need to get to Michael and make sure he knows where he stands and what will happen if he opens his mouth more than he already has. I gave Cynthia permission for what she needed too.” Mel told him.


“It was necessary.” Ted tells her.


“Neither of us have anything to hide.” Mel told him.


“I’m surprised they didn’t tell you.” Ted commented.


“I’m not. I mean yes, it was a shock to hear it the way I did. But I doubt they would have included us in any of it if Gus wasn’t involved. Justin’s actually spent more time with us, but he shut down if any questions came up about what he and Brian were doing.” Mel told him.


“Before I met Justin today, nothing about the two of them fit together.” Ted told her.


“They don’t spend a lot of time with us, but when we’ve seen them together, no one really exists outside of them. Well, Gus does, of course, but no one else I should say.” Mel told him.


“How is Lindsay really taking this?” Ted asked.


“Angry at Michael. But overall just happy it wasn’t something we knew about.” Mel told him.


“She can’t listen in our phone calls, but I couldn’t help but notice she sounded upset.” Ted commented.


“We want to have another baby. But I don’t want to do it now after this started.” Mel told him.


“Brian isn’t going to agree.” Ted told her.


“We aren’t asking him since I’m the one this time. We’re going to go the way I wanted to the first time.” Mel told him.


“Picked a lucky donor yet?” Ted asked.


“Bought and paid for.” Mel answered.


“You ready for this?” Ted asked as the parked.


“I called in a favor and they’re putting him an interrogation room for us.” Mel told him.


“Thanks. I was hoping we wouldn’t have to do this in front of everyone.” Ted told her.


“I wouldn’t give him the opportunity to get attention. Are we sure he didn’t leak this?” Mel asked.


“I’m not ruling him out until we figure out who did it. It’s just, Michael has never been good at hiding anything, and his reaction to this fits what we would expect of the shithead.” Ted told her.


“Tell me how you really feel.” Mel joked as they got signed in and led to the room they could already hear Michael bitching in.


Michael didn’t even wait for them to sit down before laying into them.


“WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING, WALKING HERE? DO YOU KNOW HOW EMBARRASSING IT WAS TO BE TREATED LIKE I’M NOTHING TO BRIAN? HAVING THE COPS ACT LIKE I WAS SOME CRAZY FAN, AND THEN SITTING HERE WAITING LIKE SOME COMMON CRIMINAL BECAUSE YOU TOOK YOUR SWEET TIME TO DO YOUR JOB?” Michael ranted.


“Are you done?” Mel asked.


“Am I done? WHAT ABOUT YOU AND LINDSAY ACTING LIKE YOU HAD THE RIGHT TO KEEP ME OUT OF BRIAN’S HOUSE? Yes. Now I’m done.” Michael finished, not understanding why he was still sitting here when Ted was supposed to just bail him out.


“Now it’s my turn. I need you to read this and verify that you signed it. Also, understand the camera is on to protect us all while we go over this.” Mel said sliding the copy of Michael’s NDA to him and turning on the camera behind them.


“I don’t have anything to worry about, since this is all bullshit anyway.” Michael started, until he remembered the document, and for a second he was worried. But Brian and Emmett never enforced this before. “Why do you need me to do that? It’s not like the fucking lawyers that witnessed them weren’t enough.” Michael told her.


“Was it explained to you?” Mel asked.


“Only because Ted was being a dick.” Michael told her, rolling his eyes when she waited for him to answer her. “Yes, it was. Like they thought I was just a hired hand.” He relented.


“Was there anything in there you didn’t understand?” Mel asked.


“Actually yes. Why Ted forgot that without me Emmett and Brian wouldn’t have been able to screw me over, since I introduced them. They wouldn’t have everything they do now if it wasn’t for me.” Michael ranted, before once again answering when Mel didn’t look impressed. “It was clear. Even though I’m different from everyone else that they really had to have sign this.”


“We’re good.” Mel told Ted.


“In the past you probably thought you were. But before, you never did what you did yesterday. So I’ve never had to enforce this with you. Today, it’s the reason your no longer a part of anything to do with the band. All access to the band is now severed, and Brian and Emmett are off limits to you. Anything you have belonging to the band will be returned, and unless you make it necessary we can leave it at that. Also, no statement will be made since your exit isn’t any different than that of any other staff member.” Ted informed him.


“Before you say anything, understand this; the NDA still stands even after your termination. You talk and it opens you up to a lawsuit. If what you said yesterday hasn’t already. Once we know what was said, I suggest you get a lawyer, because you’ll probably need one.” Mel told him.


“Can I go now? Since I’m finally free of Ted the DICK-tator.” Michael said, not believing Brian agreed to this.


“Ted, I’ll be waiting for you.” Mel said to Ted, ignoring Michael, turning off the camera and taking the recording.


“Enjoy this moment you probably waited for to feel like the top dog. And when you’re answering questions I’ll make sure my lawyer sues you for anything I don’t like that you said about me.” Michael ordered when Ted stayed after Mel left the room.


“I don’t think it will be a problem, since it took you stalking Brian to get a reporter to bump into you.” Ted tells him.


“That was Emmett, the backstabbing fucker.” Michael told him.


“You really don’t care what this did to Emmett do you?” Ted asked.


“He treated me like I wasn’t the biggest part of Brian’s life. And now it’s his turn to step in and be the ‘best friend’ he played to the public.” Michael told him.


“He’ll do it better than you ever have. Since he always has and always will understand friendship in a way you don’t. You didn’t understand it when they gave you a way to be part of the band. It was done because neither of them wanted to hurt you when every label suggested dropping the dead weight you became for them. Something they likely regret now since you proved they were dragging you along, when they should have left you here to rot.” Ted told him.


“I want to know what you’re doing about Brian. There is no way he would have married a trick unless he was tricked into it.” Michael told him, expecting to be answered.


“Anything concerning Brian I’m not at liberty to talk about to someone with no connection to the band. The same goes for Emmett, since I signed the same agreement, with the caveat of when they give me permission to speak for them. I don’t take their privacy lightly, like you did. But I will say one more thing before I go. If you speak to anyone and I can prove it, I’ll make sure you don’t have a dime of the money Brian and Emmett overpaid you left, or anyone willing to employ you.” Ted informed him.


“Big words from the guy whose job was wiping their asses. It must have sucked, while I was the one seen with them. You really think all this means anything? I won’t have to say anything since my absence will be noticed.” Michael told him.


“How does it feel to be the shit I got rid of for them?” Ted asked, smirking just to piss Michael off.


“I’ll tell you when all this ends up being a mistake that Brian will make you regret.” Michael told him.


“Why would he? I can hire a monkey to fold towels and carry the water.” Ted said, and Michael didn’t have a comeback for that.


Ted was finished and leaving, when Michael ordered him to post his bail.


“I only told your mother I’d be here to explain where you stood. Since you were so ashamed of her for how she supported you she isn’t willing to keep embarrassing you by using the money from that same job to bail you out. She wanted me to tell you to bail yourself out. One last thing. The things you thought put you above the people who actually worked for the band, are gone, Brian, Emmett, and anything else to do with them. Once I walk out of here, any further communication will be done through lawyers. Any attempt to go near them will result in a restraining order.”


“I’m not one of their stalkers.” Michael muttered.


“No. You weren’t one you became their number one stalker.” Ted said as he shut the door.




Chapter 6 by starlight

Lindsay stalled as long as she could. She wasn’t sure what she expected to happen when she talked to Brian. They’d be happy to find out, even when they wouldn’t be able to punish the person, who didn’t know what he did was wrong. Only, they were relying on a five-year-old to describe the person who questioned him and that would still leave them trying to figure it out. She kept all her emotions in check the whole drive to Brian’s house. With everything she was worried about, she was caught off guard at seeing one of their old bodyguards watching as the front gates were being changed. 

 

“Are they expecting you guys?” Corey asked.

 

“Gus was supposed to come tomorrow but with everything going on, I didn’t want to draw attention to where I was going,” Lindsay told him.

 

“Just remember to watch the cars around you the way we taught you. Take side roads if anyone seems to be following you, and head to the police station when you can’t lose them.” Corey repeated to her as he did constantly when it was happening to Lindsay.

 

“We were alone after we left the interstate,” Lindsay told him, hoping he would let her in.

 

Gus hopped out, running to the door, while Lindsay texted Mel where they were. Brian was standing at the door talking to Gus before he let him go to find Justin. The glare toward her was normal since he didn’t like sharing his time with Justin with anyone.

 

“It’s important, and it involves Gus too,” Lindsay told him when he wasn’t inviting her in.

 

“So you waited until Mel was gone to pop on by. If this is about your feelings getting hurt or feeling like I owed you an explanation because of Gus, you can get right back in your car.” Brian told her, remembering what Ted said.

 

“I texted Mel to bring Ted here. I know I’m on his shit list for listening in when he and Mel were talking. Mel let me know how she felt about it too.” Lindsay told him.

 

“It doesn’t explain why you showed up here.” Brian told her.

 

“Brian, let her in.” Justin told him when they were attracting the attention of the guys working outside.

 

“When did you start all of this?” Lindsay asked.

 

“I called Corey after Ted left. I didn’t want what happened the last time. Corey knows how to handle it.” Brian told her.

 

“Can we wait until Ted and Mel come before I explain?” Lindsay asked him.

 

“Is everything okay?” Justin asked.

 

“I just don’t want to repeat it again, especially because it scared me.” Lindsay told them.

 

“Only answer one thing. Does it have anything to do with how people found out?” Brian asked.

 

“Yes. But not because I said anything.” Lindsay told him.

 

“Who?” Brian asked.

 

Lindsay didn’t answer but looked over at Gus hiding behind Justin’s leg. Brian followed where Lindsay’s eyes went, but it only confused him more since she was looking at Gus.

 

“We never told him.” Brian told her.

 

“He guessed Brian. Justin apparently wore his ring around Gus. And Gus, being as smart as he is, connected the ring to the one's Mel and I wear. When he asked me about ours, it just sounded like he was curious to me, and I answered. I didn’t question him on why he wanted to know, since he normally just asks questions anytime he wants to know something.” Lindsay told him, as Justin closed his eyes, blaming himself. “It’s not your fault either, Justin, but we have a problem. One that Ted needs to know about.” Lindsay told him, shaking.

 

“Emmett’s cooking up a storm. How about we eat while we wait.” Brian told her, willing to wait for her to calm down.

 

Ted changed directions when Mel said they need to go to Brian and Justin’s because Lindsay took it upon herself to just drop by. Mel knew this was behavior Ted likely believed was a repeat of the past. Brian texted Ted and they got an answer but not all of it. Which left Mel not sure Ted might not be right.

 

Ted walked in without knocking, leaving Mel stalling when she saw Corey, in hopes Lindsay hadn’t done something like Michael. 

 

“Mel, I’d like to find out everything today.” Ted tells her, getting her to come in and following the voices to the kitchen.

 

“Gus and I’ll to the playroom while you guys talk.” Emmett volunteered, since what little he knew sounded like Gus didn’t need to be there.

 

Brian waited until they left and left Lindsay to explain since he was now tired of waiting.

 

“I’m going to start with how I found out, which Mel and Ted weren’t there for. Gus and Justin spend a lot of time together. More time than he probably tells Brian because Mel and I were dealing with doctor appointments, so we were letting him help us. We wanted to have another baby, and with Justin here we didn’t have to take Gus with us.” Lindsay said, looking at Mel.

 

“We didn’t want to ask you or anyone else,” Mel told Brian, not sure where this was going.

 

“Which has nothing to do with the answers we’re waiting for.” Brian reminded them.

 

“A couple months ago Gus asked why Mel and I wore rings on a certain finger, I answered. He didn’t ask anything else so I didn’t really think any more about it.” Lindsay told them.

 

“I wear my ring when we’re out since no one really questions it when Gus and I are doing things.” Justin told Ted and Mel, who started to get where this was going.

 

“I wanted to explain to Gus about Brian and Justin being married, since people might ask him, not understanding they shouldn’t. He listened, then when I told him not to tell anyone anything if he was asked about it he told me he already did by accident, at the indoor kids' gym when he was climbing in the tunnels. He also told me Justin was watching him the whole time, but there was a grown-up who asked Gus why Justin was there with him. Gus said Justin was his because his dad gave Justin a ring like his mommies wore. I asked and he told me the guy didn’t bother him again. I tried to see if he could describe the guy but we’re dealing with a five-year-old. I showed him the picture of the reporter who wrote the article but he told me it wasn’t him.” Lindsay told them.

 

“When did you take Gus there?” Ted asked.

 

“A week ago.” Justin told him. 

 

“I’ll tell Corey to work on getting footage, since all those places have it.” Ted told them.

 

“People ignore us, and since no one ever notices me…” Justin hated that Gus was used like that.

 

“We all got lax because things quieted down.” Mel told him.

 

“No one should have approached Gus, as if that’s even close to okay.” Brian told them.

 

“I’ll let Cynthia know. But remember, our staff was in town before we got here, setting up, so it doesn’t rule them out. I only bring it up because it’s been a while since the crap with Mel and Lindsay. And Gus’ picture was the one thing we managed to limit, to the public. But our people have seen Gus often through the years. So they would recognize him, even if Gus didn’t know who they were.” Ted told them.

 

“Did he say if the guy was with another kid? There weren’t that many fathers there is why I ask.” Justin said, looking at Lindsay.

 

 “We can ask Gus.” Lindsay told him.

 

They found Gus playing with a train set Brian bought him for Christmas the previous year. Justin sat next to him and Gus moved on his lap, watching the train go through a tunnel.

 

“Buddy, do you remember the play place where you talked to the guy?” Justin asked, going on when Gus nodded. “An adult asked you about me. Was he one of the fathers of your friends you played with?” Justin asked.

 

“Nope.” Gus said, giggling as the train ran in front of him.

 

“He didn’t ask you anything else or say anything else?” Justin asked.

 

“He didn’t say it to me.” Gus said, looking at Justin.

 

“What did he say?” Justin asked.

 

“He said his Angel made a mistake.” Gus told Justin.

 

“Does that make any sense to anyone?” Ted asked.

 

“Do you have a stalker?” Mel asked quietly.

 

“They both do, but none we’ve had to do more than warn.” Ted told her.

 

“Even if they did, what would be the point in telling anyone? Think about it. A stalker changes the truth into what they want it to be. If Brian is his ‘Angel’, then he wouldn’t want to have to see something that makes Brian, Justin’s.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Unless we come up with someone else, we’ll at least look into this.” Ted told Brian.

 

“Tell Corey I want Gus and Justin guarded, always.” Brian told him.

 

“I’m putting them on all of you.” Ted told them, also thinking it would be better to keep Blake away now too. “I’ll let Ben and Blake know to stay away too. Now that we don’t need Ben.” He told Brian and Emmett.

 

“Why?” Justin asked.

 

“Us being in the same city tends to turn things crazier.” Emmett told him.

 

“Unless you're announcing they're here, it shouldn’t.” Brian told Ted.

 

“You guys need me to be on this and nothing else right now.” Ted told him.

 

“That’s true. But having someone there at the end of the road, or night, makes the rest easier.” Brian told him, looking at Justin.

 

“If he could get here without everyone finding out.” Ted blew off.

 

“Well… actually, we sort of perfected it.” Justin shrugged.

 

“I’ll call Travis.” Brian told Justin, while Ted saw the communication without talking that Mel had described.

 

“What will Travis do?” Ted asked.

 

“Get Blake here without having anyone know he landed. Daphne’s boyfriend’s company charters private flights. When we needed him, he flew Brian personally since it makes Daphne happy.” Justin told him.

 

“He could stay at my house. But it won’t hide him being here if my stuff comes out.” Emmett offered.

 

“I have a place he can be. It’s where I planned to spend the break before everything happened. Let me get busy with what we have. You guys enjoy your time with Gus. Emmett, we need to know where Drew is on this. And girls, I think Brian and Justin would like their house back.” Ted ordered wanting to get done so he could talk to Blake about everything.

 

 

 

Chapter 7 by starlight

Brian put Gus to bed, happy the boy didn’t think anything was wrong. Unlike Lindsay who tended towards hysterics, Justin had this way about him. He treated it like any other question and never let Gus see how upset he was over this happening when he was watching him. Brian knew because Justin’s way of dealing with things was to paint out his frustrations. 

 

Brian went into the studio he had revamped for Justin as a birthday present, and watched as his hands moved across the canvas with precise movements. He didn’t randomly throw paint like some others. 

 

“Is he okay?” Justin asked.

 

“The only thing that bothered him was that you didn’t read him a story tonight, but I took care of it.” Brian told him.

 

“I didn’t want him to think anything was wrong tonight.” Justin told him.

 

“No, you wanted to come in here and blame yourself because he was playing in a place where other kids run wild just like he did,” Brian told him.

 

“I wanted him to be able to do the things you couldn’t do with him, while forgetting everything we agreed to. You did what we agreed, no one other than Emmett knew anything. Yet people in my life did.” Justin told him.

 

“Emmett knew because I didn’t tell him he was wrong when he asked. If Ted had figured it out, I would have told him too. The people in your life knew because none of them cared as long as I love you. I didn’t agree to go golfing at the torment for any reason but to meet your father; who, while he can’t understand us, was willing to deal with his discomfort to keep you in his life. Your sister who worships you more than me, and Daphne, a woman who is the very definition of what a best friend should be like. She helped me see Emmett for what he truly was in comparison to the people who I let myself believe were my best friends. While you were doing your best to not tell them, I was making it so you had to. So if anyone is to blame it’s me, for being jealous of the kind of friends and family you had, and wanting them in my world.” Brian told him.

 

“We could have told Mel and Lindsay too, they knew enough that we didn’t have to hide it from them.” Justin commented, not really understanding why Brian had asked him after meeting them not to tell them anything but that they were together.

 

The more Justin thought about what Brian said, the more he wondered if Brian would have introduced him to Lindsay and Mel at all if it wasn’t for Gus. Justin knew very little about why Brian agreed to have Gus with Lindsay and Mel. But other than that, Brian didn’t like to discuss the media circus that happened. Something also stuck from earlier when Brian asked Lindsay if it had anything to do with the person who leaked it. Lindsay wanted to make sure she wasn’t blamed for it.

 

“How did people find out about Gus?” Justin asked him.

 

“Sibling rivalry reared its head.” Brian tells him.

 

“Which tells me nothing.” Justin said, putting his brush down and sitting next to Brian.

 

“When we agreed to have Gus, my life was different. Emmett, Michael, and I were just guys playing in shitholes, just to keep it going. Working jobs that paid the rent and overall nothing to boast about. So when Lindsay asked continuously I agreed, just to shut her up. Mel agreed because I had no interest in being a father. Lindsay got pregnant and let Mel deal with it, since I wanted my dream more. When Gus was born, we were on the verge of making it, and I ignored them when they wanted me to sign away my rights.” Brian said, not willing to lie to Justin. “I didn’t want to sign them. Gus wasn’t ever going to feel the way I did, like his birth was the reason his old man couldn’t do something with his life. Instead, I made the girls agree with me, because Gus became the reason I worked even harder, and eventually did what we had to do to make it. We agreed to share him between us, with Mel and Lindsay being the ones who raised him. It wasn’t until the money and fame poured in that our arrangement wasn’t just about Gus anymore.” Brian told him.

 

“The sibling rivalry?” Justin asked.

 

“Money was something Lindsay acted like she really didn’t care about, until her sister made some comment that at least her children would know they came from something to be proud of. At least that was Lindsay’s excuse for why she said anything to her family.” Brian told him.

 

“Did anyone know it was her?” Justin asked, remembering what Ted said to Brian.

 

“Ted, Mel, and I did, but only because there was no way around not telling Mel why there were reporters at her door. Mel wouldn’t believe that as careful as I’d been that someone figured it out. Plus she isn’t blind to Lindsay wanting her family to be proud of her, even though Lindsay brushes it off. Lindsay’s mother Nancy was embarrassed that Lynette would cause a scandal and agreed to pay off the reporter to keep Lynette anonymous. Nancy wouldn’t have had a problem with me being Gus’ father if I’d been something other than a low class rock star soiling the family. Which was good because she also didn’t fight how we handled the situation. After that Lindsay and I weren’t close anymore, because what she did hurt not just her and Mel but our son. She opened her mouth, and even with it being old news it’s always out there, and Gus’ life had to change so he could have one. She didn’t like having to sign an NDA after that when I didn’t make Mel do it too. ” Brian told him.

 

“Why didn’t you?” I asked.

 

“Because Mel was our attorney, and she hadn’t even told Lindsay until she was sitting in front of her handing her a pen, explaining what she was signing and the consequences if she fucked up. If it was only Mel asking you about us, I wouldn’t have cared if you told her, but for her sake I didn’t want us to cause problems between them, if this happened.” Brian told him.

 

 “You aren’t adding that it broke your friendship with Lindsay.” Justin told him.

 

“Having to make her sign an NDA did that, because it meant her pride came before our friendship. A friendship that at one time I depended on when I needed someone to talk to.” Brian told him.

 

“Was that the same with Michael?” Justin asked.

 

“Michael signed an NDA because Ted required that of everyone who was employed by the record label. When we started rising nothing really changed with Michael and me. Emmett was a different story. I enjoyed all the perks, and the things we did were normal from before. It wasn’t unusual for Michael to want everyone to know he was with me, and I played along since he ended up being replaced when we signed. It wasn’t until you and I started seeing each other that the things Michael did bothered me. You didn’t care about the attention or even know who the hell I was.” Brian told him.

 

“I almost left that night.” Justin mused.

 

“What changed your mind?” Brian asked, because he never had, just happy how it ended that night.

 

“As the night wore on, I could tell you didn’t buy the act we all put on for people. When Emmett wanted to show you my work, you didn’t just pretend to be impressed with it. Instead you really looked at it.” Justin told him.

 

“I also thought one of them didn’t really do it for me.” Brian reminded me.

 

“I didn’t like it either, it’s why I sold it for charity. You were honest to my face, when the critics only would have been honest in print. It made me want to be honest and not hide that I wanted you.” Justin told him, pulling him out of the studio.

 

They barely got the door closed before Brian managed to get them both out of their clothes and onto the bed. Brian loved the contrast of their skin together, the moans Justin couldn’t control as Brian bit one nipple before licking it and moving on to the next, and the smell that was Justin, surrounding him, reminding him that Justin was home for him. 

 

Justin almost screamed when Brian ran his tongue from his balls to the tip of his cock, then took him into his mouth, teasing with his tongue while his fingers teased around Justin's rim, barely penetrating before retreating and circling. Justin reached under the pillow for the lube, wanting to feel the fingers as Brian took him deeper into his mouth. Justin felt the liquid slide down his balls then the fingers spreading it around then into him. Justin almost came off the bed when Brian brushed his prostate and used his mouth to torture him. Justin only lasted a few minutes before flooding Brian’s throat. Brian let Justin relax while getting himself ready for what he wanted. Justin moved his legs to the broad shoulders, closing his eyes as Brian started to penetrate him.

 

“Magical dick.” Justin moaned as Brian retreated and then pushed further until he was seated to the hilt.

 

“I wanted to spend days buried inside you until neither of us could move.” Brian groaned.

 

Brian held him still so only what Brian did gave them both pleasure. With every thrust, Justin got harder. Brian licked his lips as Justin’s hands ran down his chest, then lower until he slowly stroked his cock, knowing Brian wanted him to cum again before he would let go. As Justin’s walls tightened around Brian, he held back, waiting for Justin to paint his body with cum, before he filled his ass.

 

Justin screamed as he came again, tightening around Brian as he pounded into him faster and faster. Brian let go, continuing to move as he filled Justin up, then falling on his husband, rubbing his scent all over himself.

 

Emmett tossed and turned before giving up and going down to get a drink. He found Brian sitting on the sofa, staring outside.

 

“Why aren’t you in bed?” Emmett asked, sitting in the chair next to sofa.

 

“Justin got up, saying he wanted to work. Without him in bed I don’t really sleep that much.” Brian told him.

 

“Explains why you always looked exhausted when Justin didn’t visit,” Emmett commented.

 

“What has you up?” Brian asked.

 

“Everything… I keep trying to figure out what I did so wrong that Michael hated me. It’s like somehow I’m the only one he blames for everything we got.” Emmett admitted.

 

“I spent more and more time with you than with him.” Brian told him.

 

“I wanted you to be able to be with Justin, and honestly knew he would have ended up making that impossible. You didn’t ask me to do it.” Emmett told him, not letting Brian blame himself for it. “It started before that.”

 

“I’m not taking the blame like you think I am when I say what I’m going to say. I got tired of constantly living up to the image Michael wanted everyone to believe. I started spending more time with you because spending time with you meant we could sit around; shooting the shit, writing, or just watching movies. You didn’t need the crowds and attention the way Michael needed them to feel better about not being on the stage. If you wanted to do something, you didn’t worry if I didn’t, just went if I didn’t want to go, or dragged me along when we both would have killed Michael when people invaded our rooms. When Michael bitched about it one night, I told him I was tired of feeling like he owned me and wanted to hang out with someone that didn’t make me feel like my time with them was payment for something I didn’t owe him.” Brian told him.

 

“When was that?” Emmett asked.

 

“The night Ted almost fired him the first time, after he trashed your room,” Brian told him.

 

“We should have let him, it would have saved us the next four years of bullshit.” Emmett told him.

 

“Have you talked to Drew yet?” Brian asked, getting off the subject of Michael.

 

“Sierra thinks she should make a statement before Drew does. I tried to tell him to wait until we had to, but he said he wasn’t gonna make it look like damage control, he’d rather get ahead of it all.” Emmett told him.

 

“It makes more sense than trying to stop the dam. Just burst the fucker open so no one can narrate your story.” Brian told him, thinking about it.

 

“It won’t stop them from trying to anyway.” Emmett told him.

 

“What they say doesn’t matter. We know the truth.” Brian answered.

 

“Can I change the subject again?” Emmett asked, before doing it anyway. “Do you really think whoever this guy is would have wanted it leaked that you and Justin are married?”

 

“Maybe if he thought it would cause problems, since we didn’t want anyone to know.” Brian answered.

 

“It just doesn’t fit with what Corey says about stalkers. You and Justin managed for over a year to keep anyone from finding out. How did a stalker do what no one else did? The timing is the only reason we think it’s possible.” Emmett told him.

 

“Only the reporter who wrote the article would have that answer. If he wrote after verifying the information, that changes the timing.” Corey said, coming in and making them both jump that he managed to enter without them hearing him. “Everything is still quiet outside.” He smirked when both of them scowled at him.

 

“Like he’ll tell us anything.” Emmett commented.

 

“Sorry for listening in.” Corey told them, sitting down, not caring.

 

“It just doesn’t really gel with what you warned us about. A stalker wouldn’t want to believe his obsession wants anyone but him.” Emmett told him.

 

“It can happen. But only if they think what they’re doing will get rid of the competition. When it doesn’t work it, they unravel. That’s when no one is safe from them.” Corey told him.

 

“It’s too bad we can’t get the reporter to talk.” Emmett commented.

 

“Not without giving them something in return.” Corey told them.

 

“So the reporter gets a reward for fucking Brian over?” Emmett asked, pissed.

 

“He didn’t write anything that wasn’t true. Even though I didn’t want it published. The guy actually just stated the facts, which I can respect.” Brian commented.

 

“Which brings me to the suggestion I have. Because I agree, the person who leaked this isn’t your stalker. I don’t want to waste our time on someone when someone endangered Gus. I know you don’t want Justin to deal with reporters asking questions, but it’s going to happen sooner or later. If we give the reporter the exclusive on the condition he tells us when and how he found out, then our focus can be on the asshole who came near Gus.” Corey explained to Brian.

 

“I need to talk to Justin about it first.” Brian told him.

 

“No, you don’t. I don’t like it, but it’s not like it isn’t already out there. It’s not like there’s really a story other than we got married because it was what we wanted. If it helps then we do it. Our way, the way we do everything else. Just make sure the reporter understands we didn’t appreciate the way he did it.” Justin said.

 

“I’ll let Ted know and make sure the editor knows the exclusive will go to someone else if we don’t get the information. I’m also bringing in a detective about Gus, just so he’ll work with us, if anything else happens.” Corey told them.

 

“Tell the editor they can have my story too. If it’s going to come out we might as well do it all.” Emmett added.

 

“I don’t want him in this house.” Brian told Corey.

 

“We could use my loft in New York. That way the press would spend time trying to find us there.” Emmett told them.

 

“I’ll talk to Ted and set it up. I’ll let you know what we’re doing.” Corey told them, starting to walk away before turning around and looking at Justin. “I need to talk to your agent too.” 

 

“Sure. But why?” Justin asked.

 

“I want to cover all bases.” He told Justin.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 8 by starlight

It went exactly the way Ted and Corey hoped it would. The exclusive meant more to the reporter than a source. It was agreed that Brandon would tell them the source on the day of the interview, and not before as Ted and Corey had hoped he would. Once Ted gave them the go-ahead, Sierra went with Drew, doing an interview of their own. The reporter from the diner, Howard Bellwether, was still trying to figure out Emmett’s secret and published an article riddled with Michael’s inaccurate version of that particular night. Drew and Sierra went with a reporter who had always respected questions people didn’t want to answer and made sure her story would run as soon as the interview with Emmett, Brian, and Justin had finished.

 

Ted had called Vance to let the CEO know about this interview, per their contract. Vance wanted someone from his PR department there, which wasn’t required, and Brian and Emmett never listened to the advice of the morons Vance sent. Vance asked Ted again when they were going to meet to renegotiate the contract with the label. But Brian and Emmett asked Ted to wait before answering until they had time to sit down and talk about it. Until then Vance tried to keep a stranglehold on everything about Dark Angel, and Xtreme Misfits, Blake and Ben’s band. Vance also let Ted know how little he liked that Ted wouldn’t bow down to his demands. Which included the fact that Ted shot down anyone from the label being at this interview. It was likely why Ted’s phone was ringing off the hook, since he had only called Vance late last night to tell him about the interview.

 

Brandon’s reception made the winters in the Antarctic seem balmy, since not one of the five men in the room greeted him. Ted was straight to business.

 

“I need to know they won’t know you got the information from me,” Brandon told them.

 

“There isn’t any way for us to hide it, unless you weren’t the only one they told,” Ted replied.

 

“Neither of them was sure about anything. They just told me enough that I found the marriage license,” Brandon told them.

 

“I have two other reporters ready to get this interview, reporters who haven’t already pissed my clients off,” Ted told him.

 

“Can I just explain something first? My cousin didn’t realize the guy he was dating was using him to get into events that Emmett and Brian attended. He thought the guy was really interested in him, and likely hoped the guy’s connections would get his career on track.” Brandon told them.

 

“I want names,” Corey told him.

 

“My cousin is Connor James and the guy he was dating is Gardner Vance's nephew Kip,” Brandon told them.

 

Ted didn’t react to Kip’s name since they still needed to know how the two led Brandon to the information.

 

“Explain how they knew,” Corey asked him.

 

“They didn’t know for sure. They both just mentioned seeing Brian at a lot of art shows and events and that Justin Taylor seemed to be at all of them. I blew it off because a lot of people attended those things. Until Connor was trying to impress Kip with the places he could get them into. He mentioned a lodge that’s pretty much used when people didn’t want the press finding them. Connor mentioned seeing Brian and Justin there, among others. I snooped around the town, hoping someone might have seen them together, since there was no proof otherwise that they even knew each other. I did a search, looking to see if there was anything to connect Brian and Justin when I still didn’t find anything.” Brandon told them.

 

“And found their marriage license.” Ted finished.

 

Brandon nodded, and said, “After that, I couldn’t not run the story, it’s my job.” 

 

“I couldn’t have stopped you, yet you didn’t do us the courtesy of warning us,” Ted told him.

 

“I made sure to stick to only the facts,” Brandon told them.

 

“Kip was interested in both of them?” Corey asked.

 

“Connor broke up with Kip over it, but if I was guessing it was more about Brian than Justin. It was just where one was the other showed up. I wasn’t at the events, but that’s what Connor thought after he broke it off with Kip. Since I really don’t like the guy, you should know his uncle tried to offer me an exclusive to turn down this interview.” Brandon told them.

 

“An exclusive with who?” Ted asked.

 

“Anyone. As long as I didn’t tell you anything. I know you don’t like what I did, but I do my best not to sensationalize what I write. I also won’t have someone trying to cover their ass by using me.” Brandon told him.

 

“Did either of them mention Brian’s son?” Corey asked.

 

“Not to me,” Brandon answered.

 

“Do you know if either of them were in Pittsburgh this week?” Corey asked him.

 

“Connor’s been with Brett Keller since he stopped seeing Kip. I don’t have a clue about Kip.” Brandon told them. Corey got up to go. Leaving Ted to deal with him.

 

“Before you start the interview, if any of my clients don’t want to answer a question they won’t, and you move on. They agreed to this for reasons of their own, not because you were factual in your article.” Ted told him.

 

Brandon got the message when Brian, Justin, and Emmett sat down. Brandon was seated facing them. They were seated close together, whereas Brandon was given a barstool as close to the door as they could put him without having to shout to answer his questions. Brian, Emmett, and Justin didn’t speak while he got out his questions and recorder, pretty much making sure he understood this wasn’t a friendly interview. 

 

“Did you and Justin plan on announcing the news eventually?” Brandon asked Brian, not bothering to try to change the atmosphere.

 

“Are you married?” Justin asked him.

 

“No,” Brandon answered.

 

“In a relationship?” Justin asked.

 

“Not at present,” Brandon answered

 

“If you were would you see any reason to call me personally and tell me?” Justin asked.

 

“I don’t know you, so no,” Brandon told him.

 

“I don’t know you, or most of your readers, so why would I need to tell you?” Justin asked him.

 

“Being in the public eye the way Brian and Emmett are, means dealing with public interest,” Brandon told him.

 

“What about people in their lives who really don’t have anything to do with their public life? I have nothing to do with Brian’s career, and I respect that people love his music, but I didn’t marry Dark Angel’s Brian, just Brian Kinney.” Justin answered.

 

“The public recognizes your name now because of Brian.” Brandon reminded him.

 

“If they love his art than I’m glad they were able to discover how good he is,” Brian commented.

 

“How did you meet?” Brandon asked.

 

“At events.” Justin answered.

 

“I was told it’s been two years,” Brandon told them, wanting to pull his hair out when they both just looked at him. “Were there issues in the first year? Brian was seen with others at the time.”

 

“If you’d researched it better, you’d also know Justin was at the events those nights too,” Emmett told him.

 

“What about you? There’s a rumor you have your own secret.” Brandon asked Emmett, hoping to find a question Brian and Justin would answer.

 

“Not really. My partner Drew Boyd and his fiancee Sierra decided it was time to tell the world we’re out and proud, and we’re happy to have someone who stood by us until we were ready. I didn’t want Drew to feel pressured by anyone to come out until he was ready. We’ve been together for a while. It was off and on at first because my schedule and Drew’s were hectic and we both weren’t rushing for any reason. I wasn’t pleased we found the need to announce our private life, like you announced Brian and Justin’s. But like them, we weren’t given a choice.” Emmett told him.

 

“I know this is the last thing you want to do, but we agreed to this.” Brandon said, frustrated at how little was being said.

 

“We agreed to answer your questions. I can’t help that we don’t have wild stories that will make this interesting. Brian and I lead as normal a life as we can. We met, fell in love, and we do everything in our power to protect our life together. I paint when I want, he writes, and we spend time doing what all couples do. We won’t make up things just to make people happy.” Justin told him. 

 

“Unlike other couples, you’re in the public eye. It interests them to know about your lives.” Brandon told him. 

 

“Just like all couples, we enjoy being together. We celebrate special occasions, help each other deal with a shitty day, and do things that interest us. The reason we kept our relationship out of public was simply that we didn’t want every moment of our lives documented then twisted to make news. I envy Justin’s career because it’s about his work.” Brian told him.

 

“In other words Brandon, they didn’t want to deal with what the media does to a relationship. I didn’t want my partner to be forced to do something before he was ready. Because once someone finds out, then we can’t have a normal relationship like they can. Brian, Justin, Drew, and I are all be expected to open up our home lives to the public and have people make up baseless rumors to make a buck. It’s sad really, what it says about the person, don’t you think? They can’t get attention because there’s nothing about them worth knowing. The only claim to fame they have is that they aren’t interesting enough to make news themselves. Maybe it’s jealousy that Brian and I fell in love with people, because for the first time there was someone in our lives worth loving. I can agree with that, since we’ve been friends for years and never loved anyone the way we do our partners.” Emmett told Brandon.

 

“It didn’t take years for me to see Justin was the one.” Brian agreed.

 

“How does your son feel about it?” Brandon asked, only to have all three of them get up and leave without another word.

 

“You can see yourself out.” Ted told him.

 

“Brian’s son is public knowledge,” Brandon commented.

 

“Not by his choice, and you can quote me on that,” Ted told him, opening the door to usher Brandon out.

 

“Is there a reason Brian’s bodyguard asked me questions?” Brandon asked when he was on the other side of the door.

 

Ted’s answer was to shut it in his face. Brandon didn’t plan to let it go, but he needed to get his article written before Drew Boyd scooped him.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

Leda showed up at Emmett’s New York loft, wondering what they wanted her for, since as far as she knew Drew and Sierra hadn’t planned any event to talk about. Why they wanted her to come to New York when they could have all met in Pittsburgh was another mystery. All she knew was they asked her to meet with them and be ready to publish the interview as soon as possible.

 

With the current news being all about Brian Kinney, her editor had hoped she could use her old friendship with Mel to get some inside information. But Leda wasn’t going to do something that would damage her friendship with Mel. She’d read the article printed today by Bellwether, wondering why someone would need to protect the rockstar when there were plenty of articles that sounded like Brian Kinney would have been the one to tell someone exactly how he felt. Mel had called once to complain about Brian’s rather ‘in your face’ way of dealing with things, when Lindsay started on the baby trail. After that Mel had stopped calling, since Lindsay wasn’t thrilled about them staying in contact. It didn’t matter that Leda and Mel had firmly landed in the ‘friends’ category once they broke up for good. Lindsay didn’t seem to get that once Mel started thinking burbs and babies, Leda’s interest was lost. She had no interest in settling down, which was the reason she and Mel ended. Sierra on the other hand... If only... in Leda’s mind. 

 

“Come on in, we're waiting for a minute for some others to join us since an interview with them was cut short. They should be here soon. Drew wants to get this done.” Sierra smiled, staring at Leda who was lost in thought and didn’t realize the door opened.

 

“I’m definitely curious about why you asked for me.” Leda told her, following her to the living room.

 

“Get everything ready while I get the drinks. By then we should be ready.” Sierra told her, peeking her interest.

 

Drew sat there silent as always while Sierra started bringing out way more than any of them could eat or drink. When there was a knock on the door, Drew practically jumped to go get it. Leda set the recorder and grabbed her notepad waiting for Drew to come back.

 

“What’s going on?” Leda asked Sierra.

 

“Drew and I have decided it is time that we told our story.” Sierra told her.

 

Leda’s question got lost when Brian Kinney, Emmett Honeycutt, and Justin Taylor walked in. Emmett kissed Sierra, while Sierra was more excited to see Justin Taylor than anyone else in the room.

 

“You didn’t have to come.” Sierra told Emmett.

 

“Then why did you order my favorites?” Emmett teased.

 

“I was hoping to use you to meet Justin.” Sierra laughed.

 

Leda watched as Sierra scooted over and Emmett landed between her and Drew. Brian and Justin wandered out to the balcony, leaving Leda wondering if she did something really good in a previous life to have the top news stories wanting to tell her a tale.

 

“I’m assuming this isn’t about Brian and Justin.” Leda said, hoping someone would start.

 

“If they want to talk to you, than they can after I explain why I called you. Drew and I are ending our engagement, since there is no longer a reason for it anymore. The original reason was because I wanted my freedom. So I asked Drew to help me when my mother seemed to think it was time I married and started the family I really didn’t want. We started the ‘relationship’ with a promise that if either of us fell in love for real we’d break it off and support the other as what we’ve always been to each other, best friends, and nothing more. Unfortunately that’s not the whole reason we’re doing this publicly now. Drew is in love, but he and Emmett hadn’t planned to go public. I don’t want Drew’s story told with me being cast as the naive victim while Emmett is seen as homewrecker, when Drew and I never planned to marry each other anyway. I have no interest in marriage and our promise worked more for me than for Drew.” Sierra told her.

 

“Did you feel like you couldn’t come out?” Leda asked Drew.

 

“I’m sure the NFL will do their best to pretend there isn’t a problem with me being gay. But name one player in my position that is gay. I wanted my career to be about my performance on the field, not the fact that I’m a gay man. I feel the same as Brian and Justin did, that my private life should have been respected when it has nothing to do with what should interest my fans. Emmett offered me an out, but the idea of the man I love having to hide us wasn’t the right thing for either of us. If I have to choose between being one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL or being Emmett’s, I’ll take the happiness I have with Emmett. I will also still cheer on my team and wish them the best if they decide that it’s better for the team that I retire.” Drew told her.

 

“Have you talked to your coach and owner about this situation? Because I can hold this article if that needs to be done first.” Leda offered.

 

“They’ve both offered their support and understand why I feel the need to do this. My team is being told while we talk to you. And as a team they will decide how this will play out. If they can’t support me, or feel that this will disrupt the team, they are being told I understand and hold no malice on what the team feels is best. I’ve also made sure they know Sierra knew and wasn’t hurt by this, because she is well liked for the wonderful woman she is.” Drew told her.

 

“Is all this the reason Dark Angel didn’t plan to tour for the next few months?” Leda asked Emmett as Brian and Justin came in.

 

“No. We’d already planned to take time off. We’ve been going nonstop for years, and wanted a break. But we plan to work on a new album, along with other things. Dark Angel will be dealing with some business too, since our contract is up for renewal, and we want to make sure we’re doing what’s best for the band if we resign or need a change. The story that broke was done without informing us, and now we want to make sure our story is told our way.” Emmett told her.

 

“I hadn’t heard about you and Drew, that’s why I ask.” Leda told him.

 

“There’s a ‘source’ who hinted about an Ironman and me. Drew and I wanted to keep the other players from speculating, since a few have been to events that I’ve attended. Right now the reporter who heard it wants a name before he publishes, and after reading the fairytale he printed about Brian and Justin, I don’t trust him to print anything flattering about Drew, Sierra, or me. When Drew and I knew we were going to be more, he introduced me to Sierra. I knew they weren’t what the public believed, and I loved her because Drew could do what he loved and not have his sexuality be an issue. Sierra welcomed me and made sure I understood she’d have my balls if I didn’t treat her best friend right.” Emmett said, hugging Sierra.

 

“I want to ask, but you can tell me to mind my own business. What did Bellwether’s article get wrong?” Leda said, looking to Brian and Justin.

 

“Only if you agree that the person who was sited only as ‘a source’ stays nameless. It won’t be hard to get the source’s name, since he did it in front of restaurant full of people, but he hasn’t been named in an article and I don’t want him to get the attention he’s seeking for betraying Emmett and me.” Brian told her.

 

“He won’t get ten minutes from me for lying.” Leda told him.

 

“The night that was referenced in the article I was there to meet Justin. We had plans for the weekend. I spent the evening doing my best to spend time with Justin, while having to deal with a member of the support staff doing his best to ruin the evening by showing up uninvited. By the end of the evening Justin and I were able to break away for the weekend we had planned. The only one who was unwanted that evening was person claiming I asked him to do anything.” Brian told her.

 

“I noticed you left the tricking in the bathroom out, I will too.” Leda teased.

 

“There was no trick in that bathroom.” Brian told her.

 

“I need to ask all of you; are you sure all of you want to be included in the article, or do I just stick to Emmett, Drew, and Sierra?” Leda asked them.

 

“Feel free to print what I said.” Brian told her.

 

“Brian and I have done practically everything together, why not this.” Emmett added.

 

“Is there anything you want to add, Justin?” Leda asked.

 

“The best way that Brian and Emmett’s fans can show their support is not to buy articles unless the author has personally spoken to them. Not ‘sources’, who in essence fabricate stories to betray the band.” Justin told her, before adding. “Oh, and when I met Brian, I didn’t know who he or Emmett were.” Justin laughed.

 

“He really didn’t have a clue.” Emmett told her.

 

“He knew who I was though.” Drew said smugly.

 

“Can you get this out before tomorrow afternoon?” Emmett asked Leda.

 

“I have a feeling that as soon as I call, the paper is going to be working overnight to fit this in the MORNING addition.” Leda told them, packing up quickly to get it written.

 

************************

 

Ted went with Corey to meet with Justin’s agent. Alisha wasn’t happy with Justin or anyone else, since she was left out of the loop. 

 

“I understand Justin’s career isn’t important to you, but I don’t appreciate feeling like an idiot, being blindsided to protect your client.” Alisha told us.

 

“I found out when you did. Our clients didn’t tell either of us.” Ted told her.

 

“Can I ask why you’re here?” Alisha asked Corey.

 

“I just wanted some clarification about Justin’s fans. I’ve only dealt with musicians and actors. I wanted to know if your clients receive fan mail, or have issues with fans.” Corey asked her.

 

“We’ve had one or two who hoped Justin would be interested in helping them with their careers. As for fan mail, that’s really not something we deal with with visual arts. Justin doesn’t have the kind of following your client Brian Kinney has.” She told Corey.

 

“Have you had anyone who seems possessive of Justin?” Corey asked.

 

“He’s dealt with a few people who want more from him, but Justin manages deal with it. If anyone is persistent, my people take over and steer them away from him.” Alisha told him.

 

“Is there anyone that persisted even after all that.” Corey asked.

 

“Justin’s ex, Ethan, did for a while, but stopped when Ethan’s agent threatened to drop him if he outed himself.” She told them.

 

“After they broke up?” Ted asked.

 

“Yes. Justin was the one who broke it off after they drifted apart.” Alishia told them.

 

“Was this recently?” Corey asked.

 

“No. It was two years ago. Can I ask why your asking me this?” She questioned.

 

“There was an incident recently that worries us. There might be a stalker involved. The person was heard saying ‘His Angel’ in reference to either Brian or Justin. I’m just checking out the possibilities.” Corey answered her.

 

“The band is call Dark Angel, so wouldn’t that sound more like Brian?” Alishia asked.

 

“It could. Is there any nickname for Justin in art circles?” Corey asked.

 

“His last name, but beyond that, no.” She told them.

 

“And there isn’t anyone you can think of that sticks out as being overly interested in Justin?” Corey asked.

 

“Other agents, since Justin is a money maker. When he shows everyone tends to want his attention, but it’s never been an issue for Justin between shows.” She told them.

 

“If you think of anyone or anything else will you contact me?” Corey asked.

 

“Just leave your number with my PA. But will you please remind Justin that I can’t do my job if he doesn’t keep me informed.” She told them.

 

“I’ll leave my information with you too. As long as Justin gives me permission I’ll contact you if he hasn’t.” Ted told her.

 

Alisha got up to see them out and stopped by her PA, Eric, to give their information to.

 

“Are we changing Justin’s number?” Alisha asked.

 

“Yes, but I’m leaving it up to him to decide who gets the number.” Ted told her.

 

“We’re going to need it to, since we can’t reach him through his home number.” Eric told Alisha.

 

“I’ll talk to him about that too.” Alishia replied.

 

Ted and Corey left, planning to deal with Vance and Kip next, after checking in with Brian and Emmett. “She really doesn’t take much of an interest in her client’s life.” Corey commented.

 

“I spend most of my time with mine, but still missed that they were in relationships.” Ted reminds him.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

Howard sat in Woody’s feeling like a total idiot. His article was being listed as a great work… of fiction. He was in such a hurry to get it in print that he didn’t bother to pay attention to anything but getting his article written and getting it in the paper, by-passing the editor. The same editor who got him stuck in the gossip section of the paper instead of as the voice of social conscience. The same editor who asked why, when the papers were ready to be distributed, changes were made without his authorization. And then he asked why Howard omitted in his tale the fact that Brian and Justin were married. It didn’t matter that the article sold more copies of the paper, just that Howard had written the ‘source’s’ opinion on the couple and then seemed to be the only idiot unaware of the announcement that Brian had married the ‘supposed trick’. Then it was the owner of the rag who also informed Howard that the manager of the band blacklisted them from all events Justin or Brian were involved in, since it was obvious the reporters working for Howard’s papers sourced anyone who wanted to run their mouths, without checking the facts. Howard planned to do that with the Emmett Honeycutt situation, thinking he could save his job by being the one who announced it to the world.

 

He’d found a way to get the name of the Ironman when the team rallied around their teammate. Michael called him and told him he’d give him the name in exchange for bail and place to stay while Howard could sell the story to one of the other papers with the hope they’d offer him a job. Then he could tell his old editor to kiss his ass for treating him as if he was only fit for the entertainment section. This morning, the article he’d been writing was useless, since outing Drew Boyd was dead in the water when the early edition of Leda’s paper was delivered. The fucking article by Leda got dropped this morning, making him look like a second-rate hack who betrayed Brian Kinney’s band. His surge in social media wasn’t wanting more of ‘Uncle Howie, the man in the know’, just wondering how he still had a job writing news. The only thing Howard could laugh at was how pathetic Brandon’s article looked next to Leda’s.   

 

Now he was stuck with Michael Novotny bitching and complaining because his name was missing in every article. Howard tried to explain he did Michael a favor since it violated the NDA he bitched about the whole way to Howard’s apartment. Howard left when Michael just proved once again that he really wasn’t the big man of the band when none of the other staff did more than hang up when he called them. Although, one did stay on the phone long enough to tell Michael that they were celebrating not having to listen to him piss and whine anymore.

 

“I can’t believe they did that to me when I helped them,” Brandon complained sitting down.

 

“Three paragraphs of a whole lot of nothing, you mean.” Howard snickered.

 

“Better than ‘Uncle Howie’s story time’. At least my article wasn’t criticized the way yours was.” Brandon said sarcastically.

 

“No, instead nothing was said that would interest people in yours,” Howard replied.

 

“There was something, but until I can figure it out, you’ll have to wait,” Brandon told him.

 

“Don’t expect Justin’s family and friends to give you the time of day either,” Howard told him.

 

“So you got the ‘We’re very happy and support our sons’ line too?” Brandon asked him.

 

“No. I got a lawyer’s number with the warning they do not authorize any statement made for them by me since they don’t feel I should be writing more than picture books without words.” Howard told him.

 

“My editor wasn’t pleased that my article was lacking anything interesting compared to Leda’s article,” Brandon admitted.

 

“Mine asked me why I listened to the fired towel boy,” Howard told him.

 

“Michael Novotny was the last person anyone should listen to since all he wants is attention he does nothing to get.” Alex Wilder said from the table behind them. 

 

Howard and Brandon turned to face Alex, who looked amused at them. “You both sounded like him when you were prattling on about other people causing your problems,” Alex told them.

 

“I only reported what I found out, then helped them,” Brandon complained.

 

“You think that deserved a reward? All you printed was something they both didn’t want out. The fact that you got three words out of them was generous in my view.” Alex told him.

 

“I only wrote what I heard, which isn’t any different from stories of Brian Kinney’s past,” Howard told him.

 

“Using the opinion of someone who was the very definition of a stalker throughout Brian’s life. In truth, I doubt they really expected any better from you, Howie, because nothing you write has substance anymore. Just do yourself a favor and don’t let Michael Novotny spin you more tales in hopes his name will be next to Brian Kinney’s.” Alex suggested to them before getting up to leave.

 

“How do you know he wanted his name in print?” Howard asked.

 

“I didn’t. That was just a guess on my part, based on the fact that he rode on Brian and Emmett’s fame, instead of trying to succeed himself. One warning to you Howard, Michael’s like any animal, once you feed it, it might never leave.” Alex said, leaving them to their misery.

 

“I won’t be able to feed him long if I don’t redeem myself,” Howard muttered.

 

Brandon thought it over. He could use help figuring out why the bodyguard was curious. He turned to Howard, whispering, thinking of how to screw Howard out of the by-line if this panned out.

 

******************************

 

Vance, for once, was avoiding Ted when he asked to see him with his nephew as soon as it could be arranged. It took letting him know that if he didn’t want to meet with Ted than Brian and Emmett saw no reason to re-sign with the label. Vance arranged to meet with Ted an hour later; a meeting that Emmett and Brian planned to attend. Corey hadn’t suggested they come, but it would be good to see how Kip Thomas reacted around Brian Kinney. 

 

Vance was hoping to find a way around having his idiot nephew anywhere near the negotiations, but at least wanted them to feel that he didn't excuse Kip's behavior. When Ted had called to tell him about the interview with Brandon, Kip got nervous, as he did every time he did something stupid. Vance’s sister coddled the boy, making him believe everything he wanted he could have. Then expected Vance to do something with the lazy good for nothing she raised when she got tired of supporting him. Vance gave in when she wouldn’t give him a minutes peace and hired Kip as the PA to another lower exec. He was hoping Kip would see it as a chance to make something of himself. Instead, Kip only saw it as a way to meet famous people and got angry when Vance wouldn’t include him on invitations when his clients complained about him bothering them. It wasn’t like Vance didn’t know Kip was interested in Brian Kinney, but so far he seemed to leave Brian alone when he showed up. So Vance hadn’t been prepared to find out Kip might be to blame for the leak and had possibly violated Vance’s clients' confidentiality agreements with Vanguard music. Especially when Dark Angel’s contract was up for negotiations. He’d avoided Ted for that reason alone since it was likely Ted was getting wined and dined by other labels who knew they could get not just Dark Angel, but Xtreme Misfits too. 

 

He didn’t need Ted figuring out that other managers would be willing to invest with him to get out of dealing with Vanguard music. They respected Ted more than Vance because Ted put his client’s wishes above what Vance wanted. Vance despised the asshole because he made it so Dark Angel had final say in any suggestion Vanguard made. He couldn’t use them to promote other bands Vanguard Music signed because they were not willing to promote a band who lip-synced or singers needing auto tuners when the only thing they had going for them was their looks and talent. It didn’t matter that Vance gave them their shot to become who they were, they thought the world cared that the music was real.

 

Vance could no longer avoid the meeting with Ted. So he set the stage where he was in the seat of power, willing to offer Brian and Emmett a contract that most bands would dream of, as long as Ted wasn’t part of it. 

 

As they walked in he poured on the charm,

 

“Brian, congratulations on your marriage, you picked well with Justin Taylor. Emmett, I hope everything is good for you and Drew Boyd. I was sorry to hear how it was handled but I tried to offer my help.” Vance told them, hoping to make Ted sound incompetent.

 

“Ted did what he could, but he couldn’t help that your nephew felt the need to talk about us in front of a reporter,” Brian told him, sitting down.

 

“Yes, it was unfortunate that he trusted his boyfriend’s cousin. I’m sure you can understand, now that you’re in a relationship.” Vance said, hoping to sound as if he was upset about it.

 

“It also worries my clients that he’s still employed here since part of his job is the confidentiality of your clients. His boyfriend woes don’t excuse him when it conflicts with my client’s privacy. Brian and Emmett’s personal lives have nothing to do with how your nephew impresses his boyfriend.” Ted told him.

 

“In their future with Vanguard, I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again. Kip is waiting to apologize and will be demoted to a position where he doesn’t have access to anything pertaining to Dark Angel.” Vance told them as Kip was brought in the room.

 

Corey watched as Kip’s eyes slid over Brian, and he noticed the anger in his eyes when he saw the ring Brian was wearing. He also noticed that Brian’s reaction, as if Kip wasn’t worth looking at, angered him more.

 

“We don’t need Kip to apologize, as it won’t change anything. We only came to ask him a question before we talk business with you.” Ted told Vance.

 

“I shouldn't have to apologize, Brian should,” Kip said before Vance could get him out.

 

“Kip, shut up,” Vance ordered.

 

“What does Brian have to apologize for?” Corey asked, walking over to block Kip’s view of Brian.

 

“For fucking everything that walks then refusing me, when my family made him who he was. He could have what Justin’s family’s status gave him, by not walking by me like I was nobody.” Kip sneered at Corey.

 

“Is that why you thought it was okay to talk to Brian’s son?” Corey asked him.

 

“Why would I talk to the kid he doesn’t even want?” Kip asked him.

 

“Hopefully you didn’t, but we need to know where you were last week,” Corey told him.

 

“I don’t have to answer that,” Kip told Corey.

 

“He’s been here in Pittsburgh, working here and visiting with my sister,” Vance answered.

 

“Why here when he works in the California branch normally?” Corey asked.

 

“We thought it would be better for him to be away from there since his boyfriend rekindled his relationship with an old flame,” Vance told him.

 

“Like I fucking cared what that asshole did,” Kip muttered.

 

“Only that he wasn’t available to get you near Brian,” Corey commented.

 

“Fuck off,” Kip said, storming out of the room, only stopping and looking at Brian as if he would go with him.

 

“Kip, even if I looked, you have nothing that would make me give a shit,” Brian told him.

 

Vance shoved Kip out of the room, following him and telling his secretary to have Kip taken to his sister's house and revoking his access to the building. He turned to go back in, almost running into Corey and then ignoring the man, since he needed to convince Brian and Emmett to re-sign. He stopped, taking a minute to curse himself for the mess caused by giving in to his sister’s spoiled son. He pasted a smile on his face, trying to walk in with a confidence he wasn’t feeling.

 

“Now, we need to talk about the future. After what my nephew did, I can see I was wrong to want to make my sister happy by letting him learn the family business. My loyalty to your band has to come first. I think you’ll both be happy with the new contract; it offers you everything from before and also free promotion from Vanguard, and a decrease in our percentage. I feel with the way things happened recently, there are things Vanguard could have done better and we want to prove it to you.” Vance told Brian and Emmett.

 

“Let me guess, we should fire Ted?” Brian commented.

 

“I have managers that would have been prepared to handle how your private life was dealt with,” Vance told him.

 

“Ted wasn’t told, and that’s our fault because he’s always had our best interests as his only concern. It’s why any contract that doesn’t include Ted, doesn’t include us. Before you act as if it showed lack of trust on our part with Ted, you’d be wrong because we both know we could have trusted him. We both know if he did know he would have made it a point to help us have a life, never wanting it exploited.” Emmett told him.

 

“If Ted is a deal breaker, we can work with it,” Vance said, managing to sound happy about it.

 

“Ted has nothing to do with the fact that we haven’t been happy with Vanguard. He was the only reason we didn’t jump ship sooner since he wouldn’t bend to what you wanted.” Brian told him.

 

“Other labels are going to ask the same as Vanguard does, and while I know there were things we asked you didn’t agree with, it’s normal for this industry to help other bands reach the level of success we help Dark Angel reach. I took the chance on you, remember that.” Vance told them.

 

“While Ted protected us from being whored to promote your bad decisions,” Emmett told him.

 

“We can make any changes you need before you re-sign.” Vance offered.

 

“That won’t be necessary,” Brian told him, getting up with Emmett to leave.

 

Ted waited, since they’d already told him they weren’t renewing their contract with Vanguard. They hadn’t told him what they wanted to do yet, and really only came because Corey wanted to ask questions and was planning to find a way to see Kip. For once Vance made what they wanted easier.

 

“You think you won don’t you?” Vance asked angrily.

 

“It wasn’t about winning but about doing what they wanted. What did you expect when you tried to hide what your nephew did? Even with the bullshit, they put up with Vanguard. They might have worked with you if you’d been less interested in covering your ass.” Ted told him.

 

“I’ll make sure other label’s know what a pain in the ass you are to deal with,” Vance told him.

 

“While I’ll make sure they see the numbers Brian and Emmett make. Not that I need to do it, since a few managers agree their clients could do better anywhere else but Vanguard Music.” Ted told him, getting up and leaving.

 

Corey waited until Ted joined them to say anything. “Kip has an unhealthy obsession with Brian, but Mel showed him the picture I took of Kip and Gus said the man had lighter hair and looked younger. I’m going to have someone keep an eye on Kip though, just in case Gus didn’t really get a good look at the guy.” He told them, before answering his phone and leaving them to follow him out of the building.

 

“I need to start shopping you around to other labels, unless you need me for anything else,” Ted told them.

 

“Why not get with the other managers and see what they think about you starting a new label?” Brian suggested to Ted.

 

“You’d have us, all we’d need is a recording studio to start, since we’d have to record new music that Vanguard doesn’t have rights over now that we aren’t signed with them,” Emmett told him.

 

“It’s about more than making the music guys,” Ted told them, already thinking of problems.

 

“When we hired you, you were an accountant, who made sure we didn’t get screwed as other bands did. We’d rather invest in you and the leadership you’ve excelled at for your clients.” Brian told him.

 

“I need to think about it. Right now we still need to deal with the fact that someone approached Gus.” Ted told them.

 

“The detective I called said he got the indoor gym to agree to let us see the video footage without a warrant,” Corey told them.

 

Chapter 11 by starlight

Corey hated companies that went with shitty video cameras to save a buck, especially when kids were involved. The guy on the tape kept his head down, but they could guess he was average height and weight, and the hair was light but still on the dark side. He looked somewhere between Brian’s and Justin’s ages, which was a guess since they really didn’t have a good view of the guy. The one camera that got a full view of his face was further away and the pixels got worse the closer they got to the face. The owners weren’t thrilled at Corey asking why there wasn’t a camera at the desk where everyone paid, pointing at the people paying versus the cash register. Corey left Carl with the owner as they looked for any more footage, not wanting to discuss anything with the guys in front of anyone else.

 

“I don’t recognize him.” Brian told Corey.

 

“He isn’t on our staff, because I would if he was.” Ted answered.

 

“Nope.” Emmett answered

 

“It isn’t Ethan, or anyone I recognize either. I also really don’t pay attention to people unless they’re buying my work, so if I do know him, I just don’t recognize him.” Justin told him.

 

“Why do you think it could be someone stalking Justin?” Emmett asked, since Corey wanted Justin here.

 

“It’s more that he was here with Justin. It doesn’t make sense that it would be someone stalking Brian since their relationship wasn’t known. If this guy is a stalker, then he would have wanted to be around the guy he obsessed over. Unless he’d seen Justin with Brian somewhere and knew about Gus. But still, why bother to confirm anything about Justin when he wouldn’t have wanted to know they had a relationship? Right now it’s a guess because the guy might not even be anything, except that he came near Gus asking about Justin.” Corey told him.

 

“Without knowing what the guy wanted, it’s better to assume than to ignore it. We’re done for now.” Carl told them.

 

“Let’s just hope the guy was just curious, even though what he said was disturbing.” Emmett told them.

 

“It would be easier if it made sense. None of the bands crazy fan mail refers to the guys as angels.” Ted told them.

 

“If we clean this up maybe we could at least get a better idea of what the guy looks like.” Corey told them.

 

“We don’t have anything that would warrant me asking for copies, but it would save us time if we could get them.” Carl said walking back to the other side of the room to the owner.

 

“We’re happy to help, since we take the childrens’ security very seriously.” The owner told them, worried about the bad publicity if they fought them.

 

“Everytime I brought our son here, I saw that you did. The guy couldn’t have taken Gus from here, and you made sure of that by having employees checking rigorously as we left.” Justin told him, wanting to soften the blow that the camera system wasn’t the best.

 

“It would be smart to get a better system here.” Corey told them.

 

“We don’t want you to think the system we used is unsafe but it was what we could afford at the time.” The owner told them.

 

“Is he dangerous to the other kids here?” The owner asked Corey.

 

“We don’t know if he is, but he did wait in one of the tunnels and question their son.” Corey told him.

 

“Even if he is there’s no way for you identify him with this system.” Brian said, pissed.

 

It didn’t get better when they were leaving the building, since someone had alerted the media that Brian and Emmett were there. Ted went past the crowd, while Corey and his team walked Emmett, Justin, and Brian out, surrounding them as they ignored questions that were shouted at them. Justin didn’t look at the cameras as they tried to get pictures of him with Brian and was in the car first as Emmett followed. Brian was looking around with Corey as they walked to the car. He knew Corey was looking for someone that didn’t fit with the press surrounding them. Corey nodded at him to get in the car, when one reporter shouted a question.

 

“Is it true that you broke with Vanguard Music over Justin Taylor?” She shouted.

 

“Brian, ignore it.” Corey told him, wanting to get them out of there before more people showed up. Brian nodded to Ted and got in the car.

 

“The band was already considering different options before breaking with Vanguard Music. It didn’t feel they best represented Dark Angels’ interest anymore. My clients’ personal relationships had nothing to do with the decision.” Ted said as Brian got in the car.

 

“You also represent Xtreme Misfits, are they also planning to leave Vanguard?” Another reporter asked Ted.

 

“My clients make that decision, not me. If they do I’ll make the statement after talking to them.” Ted told them.

 

“Come on Ted, one clue, since we all know you’re the boss.” A reporter teased.

 

“And all of you know unless my clients want me to talk, I don’t.” Ted told them, getting in the car.

 

“What do you guys plan to do for the rest of the day?” Corey asked them.

 

“I wanted to take them to see something, then they can decide from there.” Ted told him.

 

“Where?” Brian asked.

 

“It’s just something I been doing on and off for a while and with our talk about not going to other labels, it changes my reason for what I was doing.” Ted told them as Corey drove to the address. 

 

The old abandoned theater building wasn’t very impressive and the outside needed a facelift.  The gates surrounding it were new and Corey walked the perimeter looking at it from a security standpoint, only finding Ted listened to him about security. Ted opened the new doors and the first thing they saw was the counter that was once a concession stand. On the side was a work table and plans of the remodeling so far. Justin took off to explore, while Ted wanted Brian and Emmet to see what he had completed. One of the theaters had been gutted, with the sound studio being the first room, with a large area for the band to work, and smaller rooms on the sides for privacy. 

 

“This theater had ten screens, if we need more studios then I have room to add them. I’ve been doing it one area at a time, not sure what to do with the whole building. If we decide to become a label, the front can be turned into offices. The second floor I want to keep for the reason I planned it for. It’s been gutted completely and  turned into an apartment since I planned to live in the building.” Ted told them.

 

“I want to ask why you didn’t tell us, but after the last week… well, let’s just say you don’t owe us any explanation.” Emmett told him.

 

“I really only planned to turn the whole building into apartments. But the idea of being a landlord just sounded like a headache I didn't need, and so I added a studio until I figured out what I wanted to do. With Blake coming here, it gives us a place no one would look for him.” Ted told them.

 

“Sell my house in LA, and use the money to invest in getting this done faster.” Brian told him, leaving to go find Justin.

 

“I really don’t need the New York loft either, but make up for the difference Brian’s house will get and use it.” Emmett told him.

 

“What if other bands don’t think Pittsburgh is where they want to record?” Ted asked, playing devil’s advocate.

 

“Teddy, they’d do it here because of your reputation. You can ask Blake and Ben, a lot of bands see what you did for us and compare it to the things their agents didn’t do for them. It’s funny, you didn’t look for attention being our manager, and got it because you are a great manager. We’re lucky to have you fighting in our corner.” Emmett told him.

 

****************************************

 

The beat was thumping, the drinks were flowing, and the men were watching as new possibilities walked in the door. Michael was vibrating excitement that at least here his reputation was set in stone. Michael walked straight to the backdoor, ignoring the line of waiting people, then was stopped by a doorman at the back entrance when he tried to walk by him. Michael started to get annoyed but he figured the guy wanted to hear about life in the band.

 

“I just need to see your pass.” Don, the doorman asked Michael.

 

“I come here all the time without having to show it.” Michael told him.

 

“If you did I don’t remember, has it been a while?” Don asked since he didn’t remember the guy.

 

“I’ve been on tour, so yes it’s been a while, and you can do yourself a favor by getting out of my way. I don’t want to have to tell your boss you held me up.” Michael told him.

 

“Since I don’t know who you are, all you have to do is show me your pass to use this door and we don’t have to get him involved.” Don told him, wondering if the guy was like all the other idiots who thought they could bullshit him in order to get into the VIP section.

 

“I was trying to do you the favor of not being fired, but why don’t we get Gary to straighten this out. I hate using my clout being a member of Dark Angel, but you obviously didn’t do your job by knowing the VIP’s of this club.” Michael told him, sarcastically.

 

“No problem, your name?” Don asked, calling Gary about ‘Mr Important’.

 

“Michael Novotny.” Michael said with a self important smirk.

 

“Hey, sorry to bother you, I have a Michael… Novotny wanting in the back entrance… No, just him… okay.” Don said hanging up.

 

“Well what are you waiting for? Let me in.” Michael told him impatiently.

 

“Gary is on his way down.” Don told him.

 

“I’ll make sure he knows you’re the one who wouldn’t let me in.” Michael told him.

 

“If you need to.” Don answered him, moving himself and Michael aside to let others in, further pissing Michael off when the asshole kept him from going around him.

 

Gary took his time coming, but only because he never liked the asshole, but put up with him because Brian and Emmett came with him. Gary watched for years as Michael acted as if their popularity rubbed off on him. Well tonight Gary would get to burst his little bubble. Michael puffed up as if ready to complain, but Gary planned to just deal with him, and go back to the hottie waiting in his office.

 

“Sorry about this.” Gary told Don, as Michael acted like Gary said it to him.

 

“Free drinks will make up for it.” Michael told him.

 

“I’m sure it would, since everyone but you picked up your tab, and hopefully where ever you decide to go after leaving here will accommodate you.” Gary told him.

 

“Are you forgetting who I am?!” Michael screeched loudly.

 

“Not a member of the VIP area. Just a guest of the others who brought you. Which means you’re just like everyone else who waits at the line to the front door, with the people that aren’t VIPs of Babylon.” Gary told him.

 

“What do you think Brian will say to this?” Michael threatened.

 

“From what I’ve heard, not much. Especially since they aren’t with you and your not calling them. Why is that?” Gary asked.

 

“I shouldn’t have to call Brian when you know how important I am to him.” Michael told him.

 

“Well unless he calls me, off you go. If you bother Don any longer I’ll let the cops deal with you. Plus, without Brian and Emmett you never really would have gotten past my front door.” Gary told him before going back inside.

 

Michael didn’t even bother with Don, who ignored him, instead he made his way to Woody’s. Talking trash about Babylon as he passed the line of people waiting to get in. Woody’s was packed when he walked in, people pushed by him to leave. Michael waited for people to recognize him as he walked by, but no one even looked at him. At the bar, even the bartender just asked what he wanted, not acting like Michael was different from the normal people here.

 

“My unusual.” Michael spit out.

 

“Which is?” The guy asked him.

 

Michael thought about it, since he normally just drank what was on tap, but he was irritated and decided to choose something better than the normal people.

 

“I’ll take the bottle of Jameson 18 on the top shelf.” Michael told him.

 

“That will be a hundred forty, which has to be paid first.” The bartender told him, not acting like Michael was special.

 

“Planning to get drunk tonight?” Michael heard from behind him.

 

“I just don’t like to drink crap when I can afford better.” Michael told the guy, trying to sound as if he even knew what he ordered.

 

“Why come here?” The guy asked, sitting down next to Michael.

 

“I just needed to get away from the press hounding me and my friends.” Michael told him.

 

“Sounds like you have a story. By the way I’m Ethan.” He said, waiting for Michael to introduce himself.

 

“I’m Michael. Of course I hope you can keep that to yourself since I hate being bothered when I just wanted to have a quiet night. What are you doing here?” Michael asked.

 

“A blind date that didn’t make it past meeting, but things are looking up.” Ethan smirked when Michael seemed to think he was flirting.

 

 

 

Chapter 12 by starlight

Ethan really didn’t know what to make of Michael Novotny. The guy practically choked down the bottle of whiskey like he was using it to prove a point. Other than the fact that he puked it up in front of everyone, and passed out right in the puke, all Ethan could figure out was that he got the attention he kept insisting he didn’t want. Ethan planned to leave, except when the bartender ran his card it came back denied, so he wouldn’t let him leave. Ethan called the only person he knew, hoping he could bargain with him, since Eric had dragged him to Pittsburgh expecting Ethan ‘to do the right thing’ in Eric’s words. 

 

“Was this your answer to what I asked you to do?” Eric asked, shaking his head in disgust as he looked at Michael than at Ethan. Eric didn’t know why he thought Ethan would finally man up, after seeing how beat to shit Eric was, because Ethan had told a psycho everything about Justin.

 

“I didn’t do this to him, he drank the bottle all on his own.” Ethan protested.

 

“So you decided to sit with him, instead of doing what you were supposed to do?” Eric asked.

 

“No. I heard him shouting outside of Babylon, and one of the guys said he worked for Dark Angel. So I followed him, thinking instead of an agent, I’d try to get a hold of Brian Kinney. I did try, but Michael apparently isn’t the big man that he thinks he is. After he got drunk I tried the numbers on his phone, it’s not my fault that none of the numbers work anymore.” Ethan told him. He had tried all of them, with absolutely no plans to tell Justin that he might have caused him a problem. 

 

“Just admit that you once again tried to get out of the bullshit you caused, because I doubt Brian Kinney wants to talk to you and you knew he’d likely hang up. Good God, no wonder Justin didn’t even seem to care when he found out you and I were screwing around behind his back. He probably felt sorry for me that I fell for your bullshit.” Eric told him.

 

“You didn’t give two shits about Justin when I was screwing you.” Ethan told him, pushing Michael’s groaning ass away from him.

 

“That was a mistake I’ll never make again, because Justin didn’t do what he could have done and have me fired. Instead he let me keep my job, but he withdrew the friendship we once had, which made everything I did even worse because he was worth ten of you. You owe it to him to tell him what you know, even if it bruises your poor little ego to know the only reason people came near you was because of Justin.” Eric told him.

 

“I didn’t know Collier was a psycho.” Ethan complained.

 

“Why don’t you admit the truth; you liked watching guys get jealous because you were with Justin. So you ignored everything that was off about your friend, because it stroked your ego.” Eric said wondering why he ever thought Ethan was just misunderstood.

 

“If your so gung-ho about telling Justin, go for it,” Ethan told him.

 

“I already called the band manager, who is on his way here as we speak,” Eric told him.

 

“Then why do you expect me to do anything when you already did?” Ethan asked.

 

“Because you don’t get to get out of the fact that you told Collier that Justin was living in Pittsburgh,” Eric told him.

 

“I was angry that my agent dropped me, and I spouted out lots of shit that night to Collier. It was just me venting my frustrations to a friend. It pissed me off that Justin had the freedom to do what he wanted while I lost everything.” Ethan whined.

 

“You call Collier your friend, that explains so much about you. Collier dropped your ass the second Justin did. He only paid for shit for you because he could be around Justin, not you. Justin barely knew he was alive and you knew it. You kept him paying for shit you couldn’t afford because he wanted to be around where Justin was. You knew his obsession with Justin wasn’t normal, but hey, you needed a new suit, a penthouse apartment, and someone to pay for the life you pretended you had, so it didn’t matter that Collier is a psycho; just that he kept paying for shit. Then out of jealousy because you think Justin’s career was handed to him, you told the asshole where Justin was.” Eric told him.

 

“How the fuck do you know all that?” Ethan asked.

 

“Because Collier showed up thinking he could blackmail me for information. You didn’t tell him Justin already knew about me. Instead, like the lying asshole you are, you spread it around that Justin bored you. He was a bit pissed off hearing the truth. Apparently, he thinks you’re the reason Justin walked away from him. Which tells you how delusional he is, because part of the reason Justin left was that he was tired of you treating him like a prize to show off.” Eric told him.

 

“I didn’t know Collier would do anything, he’s a wimp.” Ethan said, excusing himself.

 

“He’s a crazy motherfucker who thinks Justin smiling at him meant something personal to him. Of course now he blames you because Justin got married.” Eric told him.

 

“Why would he think that?” Ethan asked, looking nervous.

 

“For the obvious reason. The guy’s got a screw loose. All he kept saying was that you only had one job, and that was to make his Angel happy.” Eric told him, noticing two men standing behind him.

 

“He said those words?” Corey asked.

 

“Yeah, it’s when I knew I needed to say something. If I lose my job, tell Justin I’m sorry for everything.” Eric told him, sitting down at a table and blocking Ethan from getting away.

 

“You were listening in when we were talking to Justin’s agent?” Ted asked, wondering what Michael was doing here.

 

“Justin was my friend at one time, and I screwed it up, not him. I still care about him even though what I did was fucked up. I swear, I didn’t know about Collier when you guys were at the office. He showed up at my apartment, thinking I knew where Brian was hiding Justin from him. I told him the truth, that no one knew where Justin was. Then he lost it and started hitting me. After that he seemed to calm down and told me that Ethan told him Justin was in Pittsburgh. He couldn’t find exactly where and got pissed again when I couldn’t tell him. Then he calmed down and started talking like we were old friends before getting angry again, saying I was lying to him. My neighbor showed up and Collier took off when the neighbor said he’d called the police. I came here dragging Ethan with me, because for once he needs to deal with the mess he made.” Eric told them.

 

“Justin didn’t recognize the guy.” Corey told him.

 

“Justin wouldn’t, when he was with me he only paid attention to me.” Ethan told him, as Michael sat up, puking on him.

 

“What…” Michael barely got out before passing out again.

 

“Sit down, we aren’t through.” Corey told Ethan. Stifling a laugh when Ethan tried to leave, just wanting to get to a shower.

 

“Collier looks really different right now, he cut off his hair. It’s why I didn’t recognize him at first. It was long and frizzy before.” Eric told him.

 

“How well do you know him?” Corey asked.

 

“I really don’t know him, he was always with Ethan. When Justin has private shows I handle the guest list and showing people around. Collier’s invitation was usually at Ethan’s request, and Justin approved it as long as we kept Ethan’s sycophants away from him.” Eric told him.

 

“He supported my music.” Ethan said, as if anyone cared.

 

“You never thought something was odd about him?” Corey asked Eric, ignoring Ethan.

 

“Justin attracts attention, and Collier never directly approached him. He did buy a lot of Justin’s work, and I brushed his interest off as curiosity. A lot of buyers ask about the artist.” Eric told him.

 

“Can I get up and leave now, since Eric obviously didn’t need me to do anything.” Ethan bitched.

 

“Why did you bring him, when you could have just told us yourself?” Ted asked.

 

“Because Ethan doesn’t get to avoid the mess he caused by telling Collier where to find Justin.” Eric told him.

 

“It’s not like Collier couldn’t have hired someone.” Ethan told Eric.

 

“No he couldn’t, and you want to know why? Apparently, Collier’s family knew he was unstable and tried to get him help when he showed up after you and Justin broke up. Collier tried to pay one of the gardners that worked for his parents to kidnap Justin. They were lucky, because the guy came to them and told them. Collier ended up convincing everyone he was over it and was released to his parents, who hushed it up, thinking it was over. They took control of Collier’s trust, so he had to come to them to use it. Which only tells me they didn’t believe anything, just thought they had it under control as long as they controlled his money.” Eric told him.

 

“How do you know all that?” Ted asked.

 

“Collier sat there telling me things like he expected me to understand and help him. I didn’t know what to do, so I just let him keep going, hoping not to get my ass kicked by the psycho. It didn’t work because he got angry again when I told the truth about why Justin broke up with Ethan and it set him off again.” Eric told him.

 

Corey grabbed his phone and pulled up the picture of the guy at the gym, wanting confirmation.

 

“That’s Collier Hartline.” Eric confirmed.

 

“Did he give you any clue about where he was going?” Corey asked.

 

“No. He just ran when my neighbor showed up,” Eric told them.

 

“Ethan?” Corey asked.

 

“No. Now can I get the fuck up before he pukes on me again?” Ethan answered.

 

“I hope you finally get what you deserve.” Eric told Ethan.

 

“He sounds so innocent doesn’t he? He left out that Justin caught me fucking him.” Ethan said, out of spite.

 

“Is that true?” Ted asked.

 

“It wasn’t my finest moment. And I would have told Justin about this but I didn’t have a way to get ahold of him,” Eric told them.

 

“Just a warning Ethan, if anything you gave Collier leads him to Justin, we’ll make sure you get tried as an accessory,” Ted tells him.

 

“Whatever.” Ethan tells him, trying to leave.

 

“You walk out that door without paying your tab and you’ll get to check out the Pittsburgh PD sooner.” The bartender warned as Michael threw up again on the bench Ethan just got up from.

 

“If you want my help, pay the man.” Ethan told them, gagging.

 

“So far nothing about your help impresses me, so have fun.” Ted answered him.

 

“You need to see a doctor?” Corey asked Eric, ignoring Ethan.

 

“I’m okay. Just tell Justin I’m happy for him.” Eric told him, limping away.

 

Ted rolled his eyes as Michael seemed to realize he was there.

 

“I need Brian.” Michael moaned, thinking Brian sent Ted to get him.

 

“Instead you have Ethan. Later.” Ted said, thinking the duo were perfect for each other.


End Notes:

Collier was the friend in season 3 episode 3. He was the one who Justin smarter off to at the party he went to with Ethan, in case you wondered if he was in the show.

Chapter 13 by starlight

Justin looked confused when Corey told him Collier Hartline’s name. He had no clue who the guy was when they said the name, until they told him the guy was a friend of Ethan Gold. Even then he couldn’t form a picture of the guy in his head. 

 

“I don’t really even remember him.” Justin told them.

 

“From what Eric told us, you didn’t have much to do with Collier Hartline.” Ted told him.

 

“Ethan was always bringing people around. I didn’t like the way he acted, like he needed to show me off like one of my paintings, so it was easier to ignore them.” Justin told them.

 

“The only problem we have right now is that Collier hasn’t done anything other than talking to Gus. I’m having people try and locate him, and we’ll keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn’t come near Justin.” Corey told them.

 

“I don’t want him anywhere near Justin.” Brian told them.

 

“We’ll tighten the security around Justin and Gus. Which means neither of you go anywhere without telling me first.” Cody told him.

 

“We really didn’t plan to do anything other than staying here, so Brian could have some downtime.” Justin told him.

 

“Anyone other than you and Emmett will need to go through Ted to come here.” Brian told Corey.

 

“What about Gus?” Justin asked.

 

“Corey can bring him, even if it pisses Lindsay off.” Brian answered.

 

“Even if it does, she’ll deal with it.” Ted told him.

 

“You think she might be a problem again?” Corey asked them.

 

“Only because she doesn’t think before she does something, like driving here by herself with Gus. You warned us before, once something of interest gets out we need to be on guard.” Brian told him.

 

“The only thing keeping people from this house right now is how Justin purchased it.” Ted told them, looking impressed.

 

“My father and I were talking about it when I planned to buy the house, he’s the one who told me that eventually this would happen and because of that using my name wouldn’t be a good idea. Having it under my family’s corporation wouldn’t work either, so I called my best friend, who agreed to have it in her name under her family corporation.” Justin told him.

 

“That’s a lot of trust to put into one person.” Ted told him.

 

“When you pick up Blake you’ll get it.” Brian told him.

 

“Get what?” Ted asked.

 

“Why Justin has so much faith in Daphne, and so do I. It’s the same as I have for you and Emmett.” Brian told him.

 

“Although, can you ask Blake to put up with Daphne fangirling on him, she’s a big fan of Xtreme Misfits.” Justin laughed as Brian rolled his eyes.

 

“She’s not a fan of Dark Angel?” Ted asked, trying not to laugh.

 

“She is, it’s just she likes Blake better.” Justin teased.

 

“What are you doing to locate this guy?” Brian asked Corey, ignoring Justin.

 

“I have someone looking to see if he left any electronic footprints for us to follow. If he’s using cash, that makes finding him harder. The last location we can place him is Eric’s apartment, which means he’s managing to get places without using public transportation, since Carl was able to check if his name was listed for flight and buses out of Pittsburgh. I let you know as soon as I know anything else.” Corey told them.

 

“It’s really hard to imagine anyone stalking me, I expected it was because of Brian’s career.” Justin told him.

 

“It might not have anything to do with your career Justin, it could just be that something about you triggered him. It’s nothing to do with anything about you but where the wiring went wrong with Collier.” Corey told him.

 

“Are you sure he’d really do more than he already has?” Justin asked, wanting to know what Corey thought.

 

“Justin, if all he did was approach you and walked away like anyone would after finding out you weren’t interested, than I wouldn’t worry about him, but after hearing how he acted with Eric, that makes me worry. He resorted to violence when Eric couldn’t answer him, that means he’s very unstable.” Corey answered.

 

“Okay.” Justin said, trusting what Corey told him.

 

“Find him. Because if I do, he won’t survive.” Brian told him.

 

*******************************************

 

Blake was thrilled when Ben agreed to come with him. They were both ready to just relax after being on the road for months. Ben didn’t want to be a third wheel but Blake didn’t see it that way. They were brothers through the bond they formed as a band. Ben never gave up on him, instead he helped Ted to get Blake on the road to recovery. Ben was there as much as Ted was, keeping the shitty people Blake had been around away from him. It was just that Blake wanted Ben to find a life outside the groupies. It was empty and meaningless when they both could have more if they wanted it. Ben was the kind of guy who wanted all the bells and whistles, but settled when he couldn’t find someone to see past the rockstar to find the Ben that Blake knew. It’s why Blake wanted Ben to come with him, to get away from LA and the bullshit. Blake appreciated Ben wanting to give him and Ted time to figure out their relationship, but Blake didn’t need to figure it out. He’d crushed on Ted when they first met, and as Blake got to know him those feelings changed into love. Blake didn’t need to figure it out, he just needed to plan on how to make it work between him and Ted, because for him there was no turning back, just forward to the life they would have.

 

Blake and Ben also needed to talk about the future with Xtreme Misfits, since Ted called and told him what was going on. There was no way they were going to resign after the shit Vance tried to pull on Ted. Ted told him about starting a label with Brian and Emmett investing, and while Blake would be more than happy to go with them it was still something him and Ben had to talk about.

 

When they got called for the car, Blake was trying not to run, in his eagerness to get to Ted. Travis got out of the car and Blake laughed at Ben, who stared at the stunning man who was waiting for them.

 

“Damn it, you had to be straight.” Ben teased, as Travis got in and drove them.

 

“My girl says damn it, thank God you're straight.” Travis joked. 

 

“Well I’m going to say thank you for helping us.” Blake told him.

 

“It’s not a problem at all. Justin asked and I’d do anything for him since he introduced me to my goddess.” Travis told him.

 

“We really don’t know Justin that well.” Blake told him.

 

“When you do, you’ll know he’s someone who looks after his friends and family.” Travis told him.

 

“Brian’s like that too, so it makes sense that he’d marry Justin.” Ben told them.

 

“Brian fits in well with all of them.” Travis told him.

 

“With who?” Blake asked.

 

“Justin’s family and friends. He even managed to get Craig Taylor’s approval, which isn’t easy.” Travis told them.

 

“Why?” Ben asked.

 

“Craig had a hard time with Justin’s sexuality but loved his son. He tends to want Justin be with someone from the same background, if know what I mean. Only, most of those relationships didn’t work out for Justin, and he didn’t see the point in introducing anyone to his family if he wasn’t serious about the person. For him it was different with Brian, so when Brian asked to meet more than Molly, Justin agreed. He knew his father would have to accept it because Brian wasn’t going to be like the others in Justin’s past. Brian actually made the next move, by signing up for a golfing tournament, with me.” Travis told them, laughing.

 

“How did it change anything?” Blake asked, wanting to hear what had Travis amused.

 

“I’ll tell you on the flight.” Travis told them, pulling into a hanger.

 

“You own the whole company?” Blake asked looking around at the sleek jet.

 

“My family does, but I’m pretty much in charge.” Travis told him, not really acting like it was a big deal.

 

“We should talk to you about arranging our travel.” Ben said, liking what he was seeing.

 

“Ted already did.” Travis told them, showing them onto the jet.

 

“Are you flying us?” Blake asked.

 

“Not for this flight. My younger brother asked to since it was you guys. He’s as big a fan as my girl is of your band.” Travis told him.

 

“I hate you.” Sean said, blushing as he came out to meet them.

 

“Wait, wasn’t it ‘I love you please please let me come and meet them’?” Travis teased.

 

“Whatever. Let’s go before you tell them anything else to embarass me.” Sean told him.

 

“Ben would love hearing that you have posters of him everywhere.” Travis said as Sean seemed to be praying his brother would shut up.

 

“I’m here in person, in case you miss your posters.” Ben teased.

 

“Um... yeah... well I need to get this bird in the air.” Sean tells him, turning and hitting one of the seats trying to get to the cockpit.

 

“Sean, head in the game.” Travis told him seriously as Sean closed the door.

 

“I think coming with you just got better.” Ben told him as they sat down.

 

“One warning, he’s my brother, don’t play with him if you aren’t serious.” Travis told him.

 

“Understood.” Ben told him, not sure what it was about Sean.

 

“So tell us the story.” Blake said.

 

“I’m telling this from what Daphne told me, as to why I had to sign up with Brian to play at our club. It wasn’t that Craig had a problem with Justin be gay by this point, it was just that what he knew about Brian Kinney meant Justin could get hurt. So he wasn’t joining the fan club and welcoming him at first. Brian knew it bothered Justin that his father was standoffish with him, and wanted to make it easier on Justin.” Travis told him.

 

“Justin’s family and friends knew about them?” Ben asked.

 

“From what it sounded like, no one did.” Blake answered.

 

“It was more that Brian didn’t want the crap in his life leaking all over Justin. Brian, on the other hand, wanted to know the people who loved Justin the way he did.” Travis told them.

 

“I get that. I mean Ted is going to have to put up with fans acting like him being in my life is somehow a slight to them.” Blake told him.

 

“Hopefully they won’t be as bad as some of Brian’s fans are being.” Ben said.

 

“Is it bad?” Travis asked.

 

“Just the usual, trying to make Justin into the evil asshole who stole their man. So what happened?” Blake asked, wanting to know.

 

“Craig thought he’d pair up with one of the sons of another prominent family, Landon. Someone he thought would be better for Justin, while making sure Justin and the family were there with him. Brian was on tour at the time and Craig took advantage of his absence in hopes of getting Justin interested in someone he thought was better suited for him. I know it sounds like Criag didn’t like Brian, but it was more that he thought he was looking out for Justin. Daphne found out and called Brian and then me to let me know she was signing the two of us up. Craig's partner for the tournament had just joined his father’s financing firm, and in the past had dated Justin. Brian showed up surprising Justin, but was also ready for whatever Craig threw at him. Brian also didn’t announce who he was, and toned down his rocker image enough that no one realized who he was. Craig kept talking business to us, like he expected it to be over Brian’s head. Instead he got to hear all about Brian’s investments and how the one Landon was talking about wasn’t one anyone who researched would make unless they wanted to lose their shirts. It didn’t help that another player who owned a financing firm told Craig that Brian was right. The other guy started talking to Brian about other investments, while telling Landon he needed to decide on a different future if he planned to bankrupt his family. The whole time Brian and I were kicking their ass at the tournament, and won. Craig was forced to get to know Brian and see that he wasn’t some loser rockstar, but a man who had plans for the future. Landon, on the other hand, embarrassed Craig when he suggested Justin could meet him at the clubhouse alone and he could make him forget all about Brian. While Brian arranged to have dinner with the family before he had to hop a plane and get back to his tour. Craig finally understood that Brian wasn’t messing around with Justin, and gave him a chance.” Travis told them.

 

“I’m surprised no one leaked anything.” Ben told him.

 

“I’m sure someone would have if they knew who he was, but Daphne signed him up as Brian Chambers. Brian dressed the part and Craig only told Landon that Justin would be there. Craig’s motives might have been shitty but he also didn’t want to hurt Brian and Justin by outing Brian. Plus he knew my girl and his wife and daughter would have kicked his ass.” Travis laughed.

 

“So they’re good with each other, now?” Blake asked.

 

“He admitted he was wrong and told Brian the next time they would play as partners. I need to go check on your number one fan. Feel free to get snacks or drinks.” Travis told them, going to the cockpit.

 

“Speaking of leaks, guess who the leak was? It was Kip. Vance’s nephew.” Blake told Ben.

 

“Did they figure out why the idiot would do it?” Ben asked.

 

“Because Brian didn’t want his ugly ass.” Blake told him.

 

“That shouldn’t be new for him, since he’s pissed off quite a few people with his unwanted attention.” Ben said shrugging.

 

“You too?” Blake asked.

 

“He showed up in my hotel room. He was waiting naked when I came back, I had security kick him out and told Vance to deal with him.” Ben told him.

 

“Vance offered Brian and Emmett a better contract as long as they got rid of Ted, but didn’t get rid of Kip, just demoted him for what he did.” Blake told him.

 

“He hates that Ted has him by the balls when it comes to all of us, but he should know that where Ted goes, we go.” Ben told him.

 

“Ted wants to start a label of his own. What do you think?”  Blake asked him.

 

“Are you really asking me, when it’s obvious what we’re going to do.” Ben answered.

 

“It’s something we have to decide as a band, not because one day I plan to marry Ted.” Blake told him.

 

“Moving fast aren’t you?” Ben asked.

 

“I know he’s it for me, what’s the point in slowing down?” Blake asked.

 

“Other than the fact that you wrote some great songs while pining for Ted, what happens when you don’t have to pine anymore?” Ben teased.

 

“My songs will no longer being about what I can’t have but what I do have.” Blake told him.

 

“Just promise we aren’t going have to do sappy love ballads.” Ben begged.

 

“Wait, why don’t we go with your life?” Blake teases.

 

“Those songs would be short and sweet. Let’s get naked and screw has already been done anyway.” Ben laughed.

 

“That used to be the anthem of both bands at one time.” Blake told him, laughing.

 

“Except you guys are finding your hearts and souls.” Ben told him, happy for him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 14 by starlight

Daphne showed up to pick up Ted when Travis called to let her know they’d be landing. She tried not to act like a total dork, since she managed to deal with Brian years ago without Justin having to kill her. Ted watched as she tackled Justin and kissed Brian on the cheek, while asking if they needed anything since going anywhere would be a pain in the ass. Ted couldn’t help but smile at the whirlwind that was Daphne.

 

“I went by your loft. I think the press finally figured out it was a waste of time to look there. Hopefully it will take them a while to find you guys. I also needed to ask you a favor.” Daphne told Justin.

 

“Anything. You don’t have to ask, you know that.” Justin told her.

 

“Travis asked me to marry him, so I need a man of honor.” Daphne told him, excited.

 

“When?” Justin asked, hugging her, happy for his best friend.

 

“In two weeks. Our families thinks it’s an engagement slash vacation thing. Instead we’re just going to get married and avoid having to invite people we don’t know.” Daphne told him.

 

“Your parents are going to kick your ass, not to mention Travis’s mother.” Justin told her.

 

“Yeah well, my man doesn’t give a shit what they want. He only cares about what I want.” Daphne smirked.

 

“Where will the wedding be, since I’m going to have to arranged the security?” Corey asked.

 

“It’s the property I planned to show Brian and Justin, since Brian wanted to find a vacation home for them. It’s on one of the smaller islands in the Bahamas. The developer is looking to sell fast, and agreed to let us use it. And it will give Brian and Justin time to consider it. It’s not exactly what you were looking for, since it was started with the idea that it would be a private resort, with houses built along the edges of the island, and the resort in the middle. The original buyer backed out after losing interest in running it, but it was already pretty much completed. If we agree to purchase it the developer wants to sell it all, not just pieces.” Daphne told them.

 

“We?” Justin asked.

 

“Travis fell in love with the idea of having our own private beach, so he’s willing to invest with you. Overall there are seven houses, not counting the resort.” Daphne told them.

 

“I can see if Emmett wants in too, since none of us want to spend the winter here. What do you think Ted, maybe a place away from everything?” Brian asked him.

 

“We could at least see it before deciding, if you don’t mind Blake, Ben, and I crashing your wedding.” Ted told her.

 

“I don’t mind at all, so let’s go pick up your man.” Daphne said gleefully, dragging Ted behind her.

 

******************************************

 

Michael woke up, wanting to tell the guy yelling to shut the fuck up. His mouth felt like someone stuffed cotton into it, and his head… Jesus, it was pounding, and the fucking yelling in the other room needed to stop. Michael stumbled out of a bed he didn’t recognize, only then realizing that he was naked. Then he remembered the guy flirting with him. Michael went to the door, about to tell them to shut up, then wondering if he should keep his mouth shut when he saw that one guy was raging over the other one, who looked like someone had kicked his ass. 

 

“Look Collier, I don’t know where he is, and I don’t have any way to find him for you. Kicking my ass isn’t going to get you anywhere.” Ethan said, backing away.

 

“You fucked up everything! All you had to do was keep him happy!” Collier yelled at him.

 

“It wouldn’t have mattered what I did, he wouldn’t have wanted you. He hated everyone I brought around him. Hell, Eric’s the one who was told to keep you away from Justin, so why not go take out your anger on him. He’s the one who told the bodyguard all about you.” Ethan told him.

 

“I don’t care if he never wanted me, as long as he never loved anyone else. Why do you think I supported you when you were with Justin? It was because there was no chance he’d ever love you. As long as he didn’t love anyone else I could live with it!” Collier yelled at him.

 

Michael listened to what Collier was saying and he understood exactly what he meant. Ethan on the other hand was lost, because it didn’t make any sense to him. Collier wanted Justin, but seemed to get that Justin wouldn’t want him? 

 

“If you knew he didn’t want you, why do you care if he’s with someone else?” Ethan asked.

 

“I wouldn’t care if he was with someone he couldn’t give two shits about, just as long as he never loved anyone.” Collier told Ethan, as if that was supposed to make sense to him.

 

“That way you always know one day there’s hope for you.” Michael said to Collier, who nodded in agreement.

 

“One day my Angel will see me.” Collier tells Michael, as Ethan got up to leave the psycho twins together.

 

“I’ve waited my whole life for my Angel to figure out I’m the one he really wants too.” Michael told him.

 

“You both are nuts.” Ethan whispered, grabbing the money Collier left sitting on the table before leaving the two idiots to their fantasy worlds.

 

For half a second Ethan thought about saying something to Eric, but he had left Ethan sitting at the bar with puke boy. The bartender had started making noise about the cops again when Collier wandered in, paying the tab and telling Ethan they needed to talk. Which consisted of Collier one minute acting like Ethan’s only purpose in life was making sure Justin never fell in love with Brian Kinney and the next beating him up for being Justin’s boyfriend. 

 

Ethan managed to get out the door of the room Collier rented without either of them noticing he was leaving, likely because they had each found their long lost crazy as hell twin. As far as Ethan was concerned Justin and Brian would have to fend for themselves, because he sure as hell wasn’t helping the guy who took from Ethan the one man he actually loved.

 

“No one understands, but Brian was doing what he needed to do before settling down with me. I knew he made a mistake with the blond shithead.” Michael announced.

 

“Justin made a mistake. He deserves someone who can navigate the society he came from, not some low life rockstar.” Collier told Michael.

 

“Brian could do better than some uppity spoiled artist.” Michael said, not listening to Collier anymore.

 

“Why did Justin marry him?” Collier asked, completely confused as to what Justin would even have to talk with Brian about. 

 

“Brian will come to his senses soon and will see I am the one he should be with and that he made a mistake.” Michael said, convinced that that’s all it was.

 

“It was a mistake. Even if Justin doesn’t come to me, he shouldn’t be with anyone else. Can’t you talk to Brian and get him to see he belongs with you?” Collier asked.

 

“He’s ignoring me. Probably because he’s listening to fucking Emmett and Ted right now. Can you believe they threw me out of the band? The band that I helped start. I couldn’t believe it when everyone acted like I deserved to be treated the way they are all treating me. But they’ll all wish they hadn’t when Brian comes to his senses.” Michael ranted.

 

“All I want is for Justin to see he could have done better. I made the mistake of letting my Angel around the grubby idiot who didn’t get that he should have worshipped Justin.” Collier told him.

 

“If I could make Brian jealous, he’d figure out that I deserved the life he made for himself, while I got stuck holding the towels and water.” Michael grumbled.

 

“Maybe it’s because I never made Justin see that he could lose me.” Collier decided.

 

“I thought you didn’t want Justin?” Michael questioned after hearing Collier talk like it didn’t matter to him.

 

“Of course I want him, but I want him to love me. Otherwise I want him to be happy with someone I could at least deal with.” Collier tells him.

 

Michael sat there confused, because unlike Collier, he didn’t want Brian to be with anyone but him. Of course, if there was someone else as famous who wanted Michael, than he would gladly let Brian do what he wanted. Only, the people who were just as famous acted like Michael didn’t exist or seemed annoyed when Michael would force Brian and Emmett to include him. Nobody seemed to realize that without Michael, Dark Angel wouldn’t have existed. Instead they were too busy acting like Michael was unimportant. Michael wanted to be the one everyone wanted, and there was a part of him that hated Brian for getting everything the former towel boy felt he deserved. Just once he wanted Brian to see what it was like to be invisible. 

 

“Brian takes me for granted.” Michael told Collier.

 

“Justin really shouldn’t have ignored me.” Collier told Michael.

 

“If only I could show him that losing me is what will happen if he doesn’t do something about this marriage.” Michael stated.

 

“Like what?” Collier asked, thinking about how to get his family to help him by loosening their hold on his money.

 

“Ted made it so I can’t even get near the band, and it’s not like I can get invited to any of the elite bullshit, you know.” Michael told him.

 

“Unless you know someone in their circles, you can’t.” Collier said, knowing no one would invite someone like Michael to events. 

 

“I doubt it would matter anyway, Brian wouldn’t go to that kind of shit.” Michael told him.

 

“He’s been to events with Justin’s family.” Collier pointed out.

 

“When?” Michael asked, not liking that it sounded more and more like Brian actually wanted Justin.

 

“Pretty much for the last year. But I thought he was with Molly, since he seemed to be really friendly with her. I didn’t know who he was at the time since he seemed to try to blend in with the family.” Collier told him, ignoring the fact that Justin was always with them.

 

“If only I could be there to remind Brian that he owes it to me to give me everything.” Michael hinted, forming an idea with Collier helping him.

 

*******************************************

 

Blake only saw Ted when he stepped off the jet. It had only been a week since he’d seen him, yet he could see how tired Ted was and wanted to do anything he could to help. Ted at first seemed to not know what to do when Blake ran to him, but opened his arms breathing Blake in when he slammed into him. Ben stood back, thrilled to watch Blake unwilling to hide his feelings for Ted. Ben walked over with Travis, who kissed Daphne like they’d been apart for years, and he started to think one night stands weren’t as fun as they used to be. Ben wanted to love one person, but for years he settled for just being wanted. Sean got of the jet, smiling at his brother and Daphne, but there was a bit of sadness behind the smile. He wanted the same thing, but so far hadn’t found it. Sean started towards the exit, only to be stopped by Ben.

 

“Would you have dinner with me sometime?” Ben asked.

 

“I’d love to say yes, but I’m not in the market for a booty call.” Sean told him, since Ben didn’t seem to do relationships.

 

“I guess I should have expected that, since it’s the only thing anyone wants from me.” Ben said, looking disappointed.

 

“Shit… I didn’t mean to judge you… it’s just... I want something like they have. For once I want to have someone see me as the center of the universe.” Sean told him.

 

“I can’t promise you that, and my life won’t be easy on anyone. It’s why relationships never happened for me. Because the other person would have to deal with the shit Justin and Brian are dealing with.” Ben told him.

 

“I can make dinner at my place. Only dinner.” Sean offered, suddenly hopeful.

 

Ted managed to get Blake to at least say hello to Daphne, since she helped get Blake here. Daphne managed not to act like an idiot, but only because she didn’t want to make Blake uncomfortable. 

 

“Daphne and Travis are getting married.” Ted told Blake.

 

“Congratulations, both of you.” Blake told them.

 

“Hopefully our families won’t have a coronary when they figure out the vacation is really the wedding.” Travis laughed.

 

“Okay, so I’m going to ask, because well, fangirl here. Could you sing at my wedding?” Daphne asked.

 

“We’ve been invited to see the island and attend the wedding.” Ted told Blake.

 

“We have? As in you and I together?” Blake asked.

 

“Ben can come too, but yes, I thought we could go officially as a couple.” Ted told him.

 

“What song do you want?” Blake asked, excited that Ted hadn’t changed his mind about them.

 

“Melting In Your Eyes.” Daphne told him.

 

“As long as you understand the song is about Ted, since I wrote it about him.” Blake told her, wanting Ted to realize how long Blake had wanted him.

 

“There’s barely one that wasn’t about Ted. I’m a little worried now that Blake might have to get new material, since he isn’t going to have unrequited love to write about.” Ben teased as he walked over.

 

“Now I’ll just get sappy.” Blake teased back.

 

*********************************************

 

Lindsay got in her car and drove around after Corey explained what Brian wanted. She was annoyed that everyone was still punishing her for telling her sister that Brian was Gus’s father. They didn’t get what it was like to constantly be treated like all your choices were an embarrassment to your family. It didn’t matter that she and Mel were actually doing very well, and that Lindsay’s relationship had lasted longer than all of Lynette’s marriages. No. All that mattered was Lynette wasn’t married to a Jewish lesbian and hadn’t had a child with someone the family felt was beneath them.

 

Lindsay wasn’t in the mood for her family, but didn’t want to deal with Mel, who agreed with Corey. They acted like Lindsay would lead the media straight to Brian’s house. Once again making it sound like Lindsay couldn’t be trusted anymore, even though nothing happened when she showed up at the house she almost hated because Brian was building a life without her. She knew she was wrong to feel that way, but Brian used to tell her everything. Now she was left out of the most important parts of his life, and felt like Justin replaced her, not only with Brian but with Gus too. Now Mel was saying they had to put their plans on hold again, like it didn’t matter what Lindsay wanted, just that right now Mel didn’t have the time to have a baby with her.

 

“Are you planning on coming in? I don’t have all day and need to make sure you help make my day special.” Lynette complained as Lindsay stood the doorway.

 

“At least this time she can help, instead of treating your wedding as if it was about her.” Brandy, Lynette’s best friend, sniped.

 

“Lindsay come in. I need to speak to you about… your new connections.” Nancy told her, dragging her in the door.

 

“At least this time we can actually say you know someone worth knowing.” Lynette told Lindsay.

 

“Too bad it’ll just remind everyone of Lindsay’s connections to the wrong people.” Brandy snickered.

 

“Which none of you will do, since apparently the Rodgers-Taylor family approves of the match. We don’t want to have them saying our family has a problem with it.” Nancy said, looking unhappy with Brandy.

 

“Of course Mother, but do we really have to include Lindsay’s… family?” Lynette asked, never really liking Mel, who didn’t have a problem putting Lynette in her place.

 

“What?” Lindsay asked, confused.

 

“For the first time your connections are actually something the family can be proud of Lindsay.” Nancy told her.

 

“What connections?” Lindsay asked, lost.

 

“Justin Taylor and his family, Lindsay. Lynette’s wedding would be the most talked about wedding of the year if his family attended. And it will be your job to make sure it happens.” Nancy told her.

 

“While we have to pretend we approve of your lifestyle.” Lynette said, not sounding happy about it.

 

“You will show your sister some respect, since she will be opening doors we couldn’t have gotten into. Which means we’ll need to have a few dinners to show we support Lindsay and Mel and the child.” Nancy told them, for once looking proud of Lindsay.

 

“I don’t know if they’ll agree to attend, with all the news about Brian lately.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Then you need to make sure they don’t have a choice. Since you have the man’s child, you can use him to make Brian and Justin help your sister and this family.” Nancy told her, as if Lindsay was an idiot for not thinking of it herself.

 

“Brian has rights to Gus, and Mel isn’t going to agree to what your asking.” Lindsay said weakly, when her mother glared at her.

 

“Mel will be happy when she finds out she’ll be offered a chance with a bigger firm, and you’ll be welcome to all the events because now she’ll be acceptable in our circles. It doesn’t mean we want you two to flaunt yourselves, but for once you’ll be part of the life we planned for you. Understand that that means acceptance for your son too, since we’ll be making sure to include the child you share with Justin Taylor.” Nancy told her.

 

“Mother, Brian doesn’t want Gus exposed in that way.” Lindsay told her.

 

“I could care less what Gus’s father wants! He isn’t important. What’s important is that you make sure to help get us included in the circles that come with Justin Taylor. I can’t believe you kept it from us that you knew him.” Nancy told her.

 

“Too bad Justin wasn’t the father instead.” Lynette told Nancy.

 

“Well at least Lindsay can now make up to us for the bad choice she made.” Nancy stated.

 

“Actually I doubt I could convince them to help you, Lynette, or anyone else you want to impress since you alienated Brian the day you treated Gus as if he wasn’t good enough for you!” Lindsay told her, getting up to leave after almost letting them convince her to help.

 

“He’ll understand once the interview we gave yesterday comes out.” Nancy told her.

 

“You didn’t! They didn’t want anyone talking to the press.” Lindsay told her.

 

“It was done to make sure Brian can’t deny we’re connected through your child. I made sure it sounded like we were only protecting Gus, and that we felt bad for your lack of discretion.” Nancy told her.

 

“I didn’t tell anyone but the family, if you remember. Lynette was the one who blew it up.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Actually, as far as the press is concerned, you were the one who was careless, while Lynette was only excited to be an aunt.” Nancy told her.

 

“Which reminds me... I’ll need you to have Gus over for the pictures the reporter wanted.” Lynette told her.

 

Lindsay started walking away as her mother and sister made plans as if nothing mattered but what they wanted. It didn’t matter that Gus’s birth became something else Lindsay had done wrong; nothing mattered as long as they could get something from claiming a connection through Gus. Lindsay might not have always made the best decisions when it came to Gus, but she wasn’t going to let him deal with the family that hadn’t bothered with him, except to deny him. Lindsay was almost to the front door when her mother caught up to her.

 

“You will help or Mel will find out about your little fling. Yes. I know all about why Sam Auerbach agreed to show at Bloom.” Nancy said, smirking when Lindsay turned white because she realized that her mother knew about her mistake.

 

Chapter 15 by starlight

Brian went to see Ted at the theater since they wanted to talk about the label he was going to start. It was no longer just an idea but was becoming a reality. It helped that a few other managers had called when they were told that not only were both of Ted’s bands were ending their contracts with Vanguard, but also that Ted wasn’t talking to any other label. Ted was being called left and right by others willing to join with him once their bands were out from under their contracts. Brian and Emmett weren’t just going to be one of the bands but also partners in the label with Ted. Which meant they were with Mel hammering out the details and going over the details of what breaking with Vance meant to each band. It just proved once again that Ted was a genius since each band owned the copyrights to their music. Mel laughed because other than both bands having to wait six months before signing with a new label, Vance could do nothing to stop them. This development made Brian and Emmett happy because it gave them more time to spend with their partners. 

 

Justin’s family came to town after being told about Collier, planning to stay for a week and visit. Jen and Craig both worried, even with all the added security Brian assured them Justin had around him. Molly was just happy to hang out with Justin and Daphne and called Brian to tell them that dinner was mandatory that night with the family. Since they were no longer hiding their relationship, they arranged to have dinner with everyone in the private dining room at the hotel. Corey arranged it so they could close off the top level of the garage, and get the guys in without reporters being able to bother everyone. Craig and Jen also wanted to know why they were receiving invitations to events in Pittsburgh with a family they hadn’t heard of.

 

“Sweetheart, do you know the Petersons?” Jen asked Justin.

 

“I know Lindsay, she’s Gus’s mom,” Justin told her.

 

“Are you close to the rest of her family?” Jen asked.

 

“I’ve never met them. Brian doesn’t think much of them from what I can tell. Why?” Justin asked.

 

“They’ve invited us to an engagement party for their daughter, but the name wasn’t Lindsay was it?” Jen asked Craig.

 

“Lynnette was the name my PA told me,” Craig told her, reading the paper.

 

“I have no idea why they’d invite you guys since Brian really has nothing to do with them,” Justin told her.

 

“Maybe it’s because they’re acting like you guys are one big happy family,” Craig told him, handing Justin an article he’d just read.

 

“Shit. Brian’s going to kill Lindsay.” Justin told him, reading the article.

 

Justin couldn’t believe what he was reading, the whole article was written about how close the Petersons were with Brian and Justin, through their grandson Gus Peterson. As Justin read further the article crucified Lindsay for what happened years ago when the news about Gus leaked, while excusing Lynette for being excited about her nephew. They even praised Mel for her success and how they’d always been proud of her. Justin couldn’t believe it when Nancy was quoted as saying she was thrilled to welcome the Taylor family into Pittsburgh society through the Petersons, and how they were thrilled to have an artist joining their family.

 

“It sounds like they’re trying to kiss your ass,” Daphne told him.

 

“And trying to force us to be involved,” Craig commented.

 

“Too bad it won’t work. They dug this hole.” Jen told them.

 

Brian answered when Craig called since they were finished with the meeting. He’d planned to go over before dinner to spend time with Justin’s family. He also wanted to invite Deb since it was time for her to meet Justin. He hadn’t been avoiding Deb because of Michael, but so she wouldn’t have to deal with the press at her doorstep. Craig and Jen were interested in meeting Brian’s pseudo-mother after he talked about his childhood with them. After speaking with Craig Brian went to find the paper, reading the article and wondering what the hell Lindsay’s mother and sister were thinking. Ted shook his head as he read the article that was practically kissing Justin’s family’s ass.

 

“Are you kidding me?” Mel asked, reading it.

 

“I guess finding out who Justin’s family is got them over their homophobia,” Brian told her.

 

“Mel, if Lindsay knew about this she should have told us,” Ted told her.

 

“She’s been home for the most part until yesterday. We all knew she’d be upset with how Gus would be exchanged now. She wasn’t happy with me when I agreed with you guys. I know she went over to help Lynette with wedding number four, and she was upset when she came back, so I can’t say she didn’t know.” Mel told them, honestly.

 

“It’s not going to get her family what they want. Justin’s family isn’t going to care if they make the Peterson’s look like idiots.” Brian told her.

 

“Is Justin’s family that big of a deal?” Mel asked.

 

“Jen and Craig come from two big families, and I’ve seen people around them be careful not to piss them off. Compared to Lindsay’s family, they’re a huge step up.” Brian told her.

 

“I’m surprised they didn’t have a coronary about you and Justin getting married,” Ted told him.

 

“They really couldn’t say much since Justin does what he wants. The fact that my net worth is bigger than Justin’s took away any argument they had about prenups. Craig wasn’t jumping with joy but realized I didn’t care if he did. I didn’t marry Justin because he was a Taylor. I married him just because he was Justin.” Brian told them.

 

“If we’re done, I need to find out what Lindsay knows about this,” Mel told them.

 

“Let her know Justin’s family isn’t going to play into what they want,” Brian told her.

 

*********************************************************

 

Michael gazed in the mirror, looking at the new cut and color. Collier had pushed him to bleach out his hair and Michael agreed after seeing pictures of Justin. Brian seemed to be interested in blonds lately and Michael agreed when Collier suggested he become a blond. The clothes caused an argument only because Collier tried to throw away Michael’s comic-inspired shirts. Even in the cargo’s Collier seemed disappointed that Michael didn’t fill them out the right way, which Collier didn’t explain, only showed Michael photos that were creepy if he hadn’t been busy telling Collier everything wrong with Justin. The only thing Michael couldn’t criticize was the food that Collier ordered, not knowing they were ones Collier knew Justin liked. Michael started to shovel in the pasta as Collier was reading the paper.

 

Collier planned to bring Michael to meet his family as his boyfriend, since his mother sounded relieved when he told her about Michael. She promised to talk to his father and Collier knew they’d once again give him access to his trust, now that they believed he wasn’t obsessed over Justin. 

 

Collier knew they thought he’d once again gotten overly attached to someone. They didn’t get that Justin was different than Collier’s math tutor. Collier couldn’t even remember anymore why he wanted the older man, just that he didn’t like being told he couldn’t have what he wanted, even after Mr Murphy explained that he needed to keep his hands to himself. Then being told he couldn’t go near Mr Murphy after Collier broke into his house, and upset when his parents told him that the teacher had told them about Collier’s unwanted advances. Collier ended up with a therapist, and Mr Murphy left the area when he wouldn’t stay away. 

 

Collier moved on when he saw Justin at one of his first art shows. Collier couldn’t look away, because Justin looked like an angel that night. Collier spent the next year learning everything he could about Justin and finding ways to be near him. Ethan’s greed made it easier, even when Justin barely acknowledge Collier. Collier was just happy to be in the same room with Justin. Collier looked at Michael’s newly blond hair and it wasn’t right yet, but it would be. Collier was reading the article the Peterson family did, his mind forming a way he could get closer to Justin through them. 

 

“Do you know the Petersons?” Collier asked Michael.

 

“Gus’s mother Lindsay is part of that family. They barely tolerate Lindsay and acted like Brian being Gus’s dad was ruining the blue in their blood.” Michael told him.

 

“According to this article, it sounds like that’s changed. My mother could get us invited to the country club, and introductions to the Petersons.” Collier told him.

 

“Why would we want to do that?” Michael asked.

 

Collier looked at Michael like that should be obvious. “If Brian and Justin are going to be attending functions with them, we need a way to be invited to them. The Peterson’s sound like social climbers, and they’d welcome the Hartline’s as well as the Taylors.” Collier tells him.

 

“Aren’t you worried about the bodyguard thing?” Michael asked since he knew Corey.

 

“What can they say? That I talked to the kid? I haven’t done anything they can really do anything about. If the Peterson’s invite us, there’s no reason we shouldn’t attend. We need to work on a few things with you before first.” Collier tells him.

 

“Why?” Michael asked.

 

“There are just certain things you do that wouldn’t be acceptable in polite society,” Collier told him.

 

“Like what?” Michael asked with his mouth full.

 

“First don’t talk until after you swallow, next it’s a fork, not a shovel. The napkin is there in place of your sleeve, use it.” Collier told him.

 

“Why the fuck does it matter how I eat!?” Michael screeched.

 

“It just does. Also, I need you to act as though your feelings for Brian are actually how you feel about me.” Collier told him.

 

“Why?” Michael asked, ignoring Collier’s glare at the fork in Michael’s hand.

 

“If my parents believe I’ve given up on Justin, money won’t be an issue. Which won’t work if every word out of your mouth is about another man. If everyone believes in our relationship, you won’t have to keep paying for things like you are now, because I’ll have access to my trust fund.” Collier tells him.

 

“As long as you pay me back. What you spent in the last two days is more than half of what I have left.” Michael told him.

 

“I’ll need the rest until my allowance is dispersed since we’re going to the opera tonight. ” Collier told him.

 

“Why would we go to the opera?” Michael said looking horrified.

 

“Because the Petersons will be there,” Collier told him.

 

 

Chapter 16 by starlight

Deb understood why Brian and Emmett hadn’t contacted her. She was just grateful they didn’t blame her for the crap Michael had been doing. Brian called to let her know she’d be meeting not just Justin, but his family, which made her want to make a good impression on them. Deb left work early, deciding to buy a new outfit, not wanting to embarrass Brian in front of his in-laws. Deb cheated a little and read up on Justin’s family and worried she’d feel out of place with people who mingled with politicians and other well-to-do families. She was actually thrilled to see Lindsay wandering around the upscale shop she’d decided to try. Lindsay looked miserable when Deb caught up to her, but tried to act like nothing was wrong when questioned.

 

“My family as usual. What are you doing here?” Lindsay asked, hoping Deb would let it go.

 

“Brian asked me to come meet his in-laws tonight and I didn’t want to show up looking out of place.” Deb told her.

 

“I didn’t know Justin’s family was here.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Brian just told me about it, so maybe they surprised them.” Deb said when Lindsay looked upset.

 

“Is it just you or did they invite everyone?” Lindsay asked.

 

“Brian didn’t tell me, he just called and asked if I wanted to come. Is everything okay with you and Brian?” Deb asked.

 

Lindsay broke down in tears, the stress of everything lately getting to her. Deb walked them out of the store, deciding she’d wear one of her dresses from home since it looked like Lindsay needed someone to talk to. Deb offered to take Lindsay to her house, but she insisted she needed to get back to her house because she’d left Gus with the bodyguard. Deb took Lindsay’s keys and put her in the passenger seat, not saying anything as she drove them to Lindsay’s house. Lindsay tried to say she was fine but as usual Deb bulldozed over her, and waited until the bodyguard agreed to stay upstairs before she tried to get the blonde to tell her what was wrong.

 

“It’s been really stressful lately. Between my family, Brian keeping things from me, and Mel deciding not to have the baby we both wanted, I’m just a mess.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Honey, your family isn’t going to change, and you know it. You need to stop letting them make you feel like everything you do is wrong. As for Brian keeping things from you, you can’t expect your friendship to stay the same, since your both married now. Brian has to put Justin first, which you should understand because you have Mel. If you and Mel want another baby, it will happen when it’s right for both of you.” Deb told her.

 

“It gets worse. My family did an interview which I’m sure is about to be blamed on me.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Why would Brian and Mel blame you for something your family did?” Deb asked.

 

“It’s the reason Gus was outed- because I got angry and told them about Brian being Gus’s father. Only I didn’t tell them anything about Brian or Justin. I had no idea until my mother told me yesterday that they did an interview. My mother is pressuring me to get Justin’s family to come to Lynette’s wedding.” Lindsay told her.

 

“She can pressure all she wants, you don’t have to do anything she wants you to do.” Deb told her.

 

“Deb, she’s threatening to tell Mel something I don’t think she could forgive me for.” Lindsay said, needing help.

 

“Even if Mel can’t forgive you, you can’t let someone blackmail you.” Deb told her.

 

“I don’t want to lose Mel over one night of stupidity.” Lindsay commented.

 

“You’ll lose her anyway if she finds out from your mother when Brian won’t do what she wants him to do. If they were the ones who caused the shit with Gus, nothing will make him do anything they want. Whatever it is Lindsay, do Mel a favor and tell her yourself. Don’t give your mother that much power over you.” Deb told her.

 

“Mel wouldn’t understand that I slept with a man.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Did you love him?” Deb asked.

 

“No. We were fighting, then one thing led to another, and afterwards I just wanted to forget it happened. We were alone, so I didn’t think anyone would ever have to know about it. I only saw Sam one more time and neither of us wanted anything to do with the other. It was a stupid mistake, that somehow my mother knows about. So she’s using it to get me to help with Justin’s family.” Lindsay told her.

 

“And if she doesn’t have to use it this time then she’ll use it the next time she wants you to do something. That’s how blackmail works. Deb, could you do us a favor and take Gus with you, I think Lindsay and I need to talk. Also, could you do me a favor and let my clients know why they’ll be bothered by the Petersons.” Mel said, walking into the kitchen.

 

Lindsay wanted to run from the room when Mel calmly sat across from her. She didn’t know what to make of the way Mel didn’t shout or glare. Deb hugged Mel and Lindsay before going to get Gus, hoping that they could find a way to work this out.

 

*********************************************

 

Brian laughed as Gus ran off to find Justin when Deb brought him in. Corey had let Brian know that Deb had Gus with her, but he didn’t have a clue why Mel and Lindsay sent him with her. 

 

“I wanted to give Lindsay and Mel a chance to talk without Gus having to hear it. It might be better if Gus stays with you for a while.” Deb told him.

 

“Is everything okay?” Brian asked her.

 

“I don’t know if it will be, but when I left they were at least talking. I need to talk to you about Lindsay’s family and what she told me.” Deb told him.

 

“Let me get Ted over here while you go introduce yourself to Justin and Drew.” Brian told her, leading her to Justin’s family.

 

Deb wasn’t sure of her welcome when she walked over, but Justin got up, pulling a chair out next to him for her. His mother smiled and his father turned from his conversation with Molly when Justin introduced her. Deb decided not to avoid the issue of her son, and apologized to Justin and Drew.

 

“Do you do that a lot? Apologize for someone else?” Jen asked.

 

“If you knew my son the way I do you’d apologize for giving birth to him too.” Deb commented.

 

“Deb, we don’t blame you for your son’s mouth.” Emmett told her.

 

“Brian said you needed to talk to us?” Ted asked, sitting down with Blake.

 

“I didn’t want you guys to wonder why Nancy Peterson might try to contact you. I would have let Mel or Lindsay tell you but right now I think they have their own problems to deal with. Nancy was trying to blackmail Lindsay into introducing your family to them.” Deb told them.

 

“Did she know about the article?” Brian asked.

 

“Lindsay said she was told about it yesterday. But I think she was worried more about how to tell Mel that she had… I guess we could call it ‘a trick’ with some artist that showed at her gallery. It’s so hard to believe anyone could treat their kid the way Nancy treats Lindsay.” Deb told them, shaking her head.

 

“Lindsay still hasn’t realized marrying Mel was the end of her hopes that they’d ever approve of anything she did.” Brian told her.

 

“It’s hard for me to understand that. There are a lot of things about Michael I can’t be proud of, but something he couldn’t change wasn’t one of them.” Deb told them.

 

“If I could have changed that Justin was gay, I’d have tried. It wasn’t just that I don’t understand the attraction, it was wanting Justin to have the things in life that being gay would deny him. It took awhile for me to figure out my son wasn’t going to let anything limit him. I’m making an effort to get to know Brian as more than my son’s boyfriend then husband. I stopped worrying about them being gay and just wanted to make sure Justin was happy. It sounds like the Peterson’s only care about what their kids can do for them socially. I’m with you, I couldn’t image using either Justin or Molly to gain connections.” Craig told her.

 

“Have you seen Michael?” Ted asked, planning to check on Mel later.

 

“Other than the first day at the diner, he’s stayed away. Have any of you seen him?” Deb asked.

 

“I saw him when Corey and I went to find out about Justin’s stalker. Which I wanted to talk to you about, since we need to know if you see him around.” Ted told her, passing her pictures of Collier.

 

“Are you okay?” Deb asked Justin, looking at the picture she’d been handed.

 

“I really don’t even know him.” Justin answered.

 

“We know the family, but it’s not a close association.” Jen told her.

 

“If you see him, just call Corey or Ted, don’t try to deal with him.” Brian told her.

 

“Can’t you just get a restraining order?” Deb asked.

 

“He hasn’t done anything. Until he does there’s nothing that can be done. It’s the same thing I’ve dealt with anytime the guys had overzealous fans. Until they do something we can prove, nothing can be done.” Ted told her.

 

“Like you guys didn’t have enough crap going on because of Michael.” Blake said, not willing spare Deb’s feelings.

 

*****************************************

 

Michael was bored out of his mind. Why would anyone want to sit there listening to music that didn’t make any sense? Collier watch Nancy Peterson all night, making Michael wonder why it was so important to be here if he didn’t just go up and introduce himself. Collier made it sound like his family name was all he needed, but so far no one seemed to give two shits when Collier introduced himself. 

 

Michael ran for the bar at intermission, hoping to find a way out of having to stay for the rest of the night. Michael watched as Collier wandered around the group with Lindsay’s family in it, and was ignored by them. Michael rolled his eyes and elbowed his way through the crowd, standing behind Nancy tapping her shoulder. Nancy handed him her empty glass and ignored him.

 

Collier rolled his eyes, wishing he could have left Michael at the hotel, since he’d been bitching and whining all night. Collier stayed outside the circle, pretending interest in other conversations, until finally someone whispered in Nancy’s ear, and Nancy looked over at Collier. She separated from her group and came over to Collier.

 

“I was told a we have a Hartline in our midst.” Nancy said, holding out her hand.

 

“And you are?” Collier asked, taking Nancy off guard.

 

“Nancy Peterson. I think I’ve met your mother Maria.” Nancy told him.

 

“I’ll have to ask her, and let her know I’ve met you. She plans to be here next week.” Collier told her.

 

“Are you planning on staying in the area too?” Nancy asked.

 

“For the foreseeable future. One of my friends is thinking of settling in the area. Justin Taylor.” Collier told her.

 

“Why don’t you join my party, since we have something in common.” Nancy asked him.

 

“I’d love to.” Collier told her, as Michael walked over to them.

 

“Did you tell her I am Brian Kinney’s best friend?” Michael asked.

 

Nancy didn’t look impressed at Michael’s pronouncement and once again ignored him, wanting to know all about Collier and his friendship with Brian Kinney. 

 

“My daughter’s engagement party is next week, we’d love it if you and your mother could attend.” Nancy suggested to Collier.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 17 by starlight

Mel sat across from Lindsay, not sure what to say to her. After a few minutes, she got up and left, closing herself in her office, not wanting to start a fight. It took until dinner time before Mel’s first instinct wasn’t to pack her clothes and leave. Mel wasn’t going to let Nancy win though, and while it hurt to hear that Lindsay slept with someone else, Mel didn’t approach it the way she normally would have. Mel didn’t want this to turn into a huge fight the way it usually would and knew she needed time to get over the hurt she felt about what Lindsay had done, the same way Lindsay got over what Mel did years ago. Mel knew half of Lindsay’s problems stemmed from never feeling like she did anything right by her family, but it was time for Lindsay to figure out that it couldn’t rule her life.

 

“Were we invited to the dinner tonight?” Lindsay asked when Mel still hadn’t said anything to her when she came into the kitchen hours later.

 

“Is that really what you're worried about? The fact that Brian is having a dinner that you weren’t invited to?” Mel asked.

 

“It feels like lately, I’m the one being kept out of everything,” Lindsay told her.

 

“For good reason; they don’t need you making it harder for them to have privacy. You do things without thinking, then act like you can’t understand why Brian isn’t inviting you everywhere with him.” Mel told her.

 

“What I did with Sam only hurt us,” Lindsay told her.

 

“It did. I won’t lie to you and tell you it didn’t hurt me. I’m trying to remember you dealt with the same thing when I did it. That’s the reason I’m not yelling and leaving you right now. I guess what I’m trying to figure out is would you have told me if I hadn’t overheard it, and if you would have helped your mother just to avoid having to admit what you did.” Mel told her.

 

“Why would it matter? Since there was no chance of my mother getting what she wanted.” Lindsay asked her.

 

“Were you just going to wait for her to tell me?” Mel asked. “Because trust me, if that was the plan, then there isn’t any hope for us to stay together,” Mel told her.

 

“You don’t make it easy for me to tell you anything, because no matter what it is, somehow I’m the one who is always wrong,” Lindsay told her.

 

“We aren’t going to play ‘Lindsay the victim’ on this one. You slept with Sam. That’s a fact. You ran off to your mother’s house because you were hurt over how Corey wanted to handle Gus. You were the one who came home and didn’t say a word about what your mother and sister did. Also facts. And those things I needed to know about because they affect my clients.” Mel told her.

 

“Which is all that’s important to you- what affects Brian. Brian gets pissed and you end up making me sign an NDA when I didn’t even know you worked for him. Everyone is acting like I’m the one who did something wrong this time, when Justin was the one who let some crazy person near our son. Our plans to have a baby get shoved aside because once again work gets in the way. ” Lindsay told her, getting upset.

 

“It’s not going to work,” Mel told her.

 

“What?” Lindsay asked.

 

“Avoiding the question. Were you going to tell me?” Mel asked again.

 

“It was one time and meant nothing. I wasn’t going to see him again, so I didn’t see the point in hurting you!” Lindsay yelled as the doorbell rang. Lindsay was pissed when she opened the door to Brian and Corey standing there when it was obvious they had heard the yelling. Lindsay let them in, hoping that Brian could help her with Mel. Corey’s phone rang, so he stayed in the living room to answer it, while Brian followed Lindsay, only planning on offering to take Gus until they worked out everything.

 

 “Do you need Justin and me to keep Gus?” Brian asked.

 

“It might be good for tonight at least. I think we both have a lot we need to talk about.” Mel told him.

 

“I don’t want Gus here if you two are going to fight,” Brian told them.

 

“What do you mean you don't want Gus here? I'm his mother,” Lindsay said, getting upset.

 

“Exactly what I said, Gus doesn’t need to be here if you two have problems,” Brian repeated.

 

“But he can be with you, and you don't think it's an issue that Justin has a crazy person stalking him? The same person who talked to our son while Justin was watching him?” Lindsay asked, raising her voice.

 

“Lindsay,” Mel said, trying to get her to stop.

 

“Now you're concerned about Gus. Yet you left him all day with his bodyguard? You do get that Bruce isn't here to babysit for you, but then, from what it sounds like, you're constantly using everyone to watch Gus for you.” Brian told her, pissed when all he came here for was to offer them time to work out their problems.

 

“You were the one who wanted Gus to spend time with Justin. Don't try to act like I did anything wrong, when I'm not the one who put Gus in danger the way Justin did.” Lindsay told him. 

 

“Justin didn’t know there was anything to worry about,” Mel told her, wondering what Lindsay was thinking leaving Gus with the bodyguard. 

 

“So he gets a pass, while I get treated like I did something wrong. I’m getting tired of having to pay for one stupid mistake, while you act like what happened while Justin watched Gus wasn’t his fault.” Lindsay told them.

 

“One stupid mistake? Why don’t we talk about that one little mistake, which was all about you wanting Mommy to be proud that Lindsay got knocked up by someone famous? Let’s not forget what happened and what Gus will one day be able to read about because Gus’s mother needed to feel important. Something that meant Gus couldn’t do normal things with you because I don’t want Gus’ life documented, and the reason Justin ending up being the only one who could take Gus to do things all kids can do, because thanks to you the press is hounding him. Yes, I’m angry about what happened to Gus, but unlike you, Justin wasn’t using Gus to get attention, from anyone. Justin avoided using me to feel important to people I couldn’t give two shits about, yet you used me for people who have never given two shits about you. I only came here because I know what it’s like for a kid to have to listen to their parents fight, and wanted to spare Gus from dealing with it, while giving you and Mel space to deal with anything you need to in order to work this out with each other.” Brian told her.

 

“And I don’t feel Gus should be around you and Justin right now. Which is something that should mean more, since I’m his mother, not Justin!” Lindsay told him, upset.

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” Brian asked.

 

“I’m talking about the fact that Justin can do anything he wants with Gus, while I’m being told what I can and can’t do with my child. I’m tired of everyone acting like he can’t do anything wrong while I'm to blame for everything. Everything revolves around what you want, and our plans get put on hold because once again your life ends up being gossip.” Lindsay told him. 

 

“Our plans are on hold now because I don’t feel adding another child would be a good idea right now. Me changing my mind had nothing to do with Brian.” Mel told her.

 

“Bullshit. You were willing until the secret marriage came out. Which doesn’t affect us, yet somehow ended up becoming a problem for us.” Lindsay told her.

 

“The real problem was the fact that you wanted another child while you spend so little time being the mother you’re yelling at Brian about!” Mel yelled the truth.

 

“What are you talking about?” Lindsay asked.

 

“Since Brian introduced us to Justin, you constantly found any reason that you could for Justin to babysit Gus. You acted like he was our nanny to abuse, and Justin let us do it because he loves our son and wanted to spend time with him. Only we were talking about a child that wouldn’t have Justin to take care of him the way Gus does. So maybe my reasons did have something to do with Justin and Brian, but only because we promised Brian that Gus would be our priority. Yet every time we turn around Justin was the one who was taking care of him.” Mel told her.

 

“Justin loves having Gus,” Brian told Mel.

 

“I know he does, but that didn’t make it right to call him instead of including Gus in the things we were doing. Gus could have come with us to the appointments, and we could have made plans that included Gus. Instead, Justin ended up with Gus while we were acting like we didn’t have a child.” Mel told him.

 

“You make it sound like we were dumping Gus off all the time. Justin never complained about it.” Lindsay told her.

 

“He never would, but can we get back to the only reason I stopped by, which wasn’t to fight with you,” Brian told her.

 

“I think it would be good for Gus to stay with Brian and Justin, until you and I can talk about what we’ve both been avoiding. How you sleeping with Sam affects the two of us. Which we’ll continue to avoid if Gus is here.” Mel told Lindsay.

 

“So there’s nothing wrong with Gus being with them when you want it?” Lindsay asked, even when it was better for Gus to be away from them right now.

 

“Sorry to butt in here, but we need to talk about Lindsay’s family right now,” Corey told them, not giving a shit if they wanted to fight.

 

“I didn’t plan to help my mother, no matter what she did. So there’s nothing to talk about!” Lindsay demanded.

 

“Unfortunately there is, and it involves Michael Novotny too,” Corey told them.

 

“My mother wouldn’t have anything to do with Michael,” Lindsay told him.

 

“Yet she did, along with Collier, Justin’s stalker,” Corey told her.

 

“I didn’t know about it,” Lindsay said as if they were blaming her.

 

“No one said you did,” Brian told her, rolling his eyes.

 

“What would being around Nancy and Lynnette do for either of them? Michael knows Brian can’t stand them.” Mel told Corey.

 

“The combination of Michael and Collier is more disturbing,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Not if they think they have a common goal. Which tells you how delusional they both are. The only problem is, unlike Michael, Collier would be more careful about crossing lines. We need to know what the two of them think this will accomplish for them.” Corey told them.

 

“Mel and I could find out. My mother would think I was doing what she wanted, only she’ll start demanding I get her an introduction to the Taylors.” Lindsay told him.

 

“You’ll have an excuse why you can’t since all of us will be attending another event out of town,” Brian told her.

 

“While you do that, Lindsay and I will deal with mommy dearest and figuring out where we go from here.” Mel pointedly said.

 

 

Chapter 18 by starlight

Brian spent most of the night after putting Gus to bed dealing with the fact that he wanted to beat the shit out of Lindsay for attacking Justin. Drew wandered into the pool house after dealing with his team and talking to his parents. He almost walked out when Brian seemed to want to be alone, only to have Brian wave him to a seat.

 

“How’d it go?” Brian asked him.

 

“Do you really care, or are you trying to get your mind off something?” Drew asked.

 

“Both. Lindsay turned into a shrew tonight and made it sound like Justin was usurping her place in my life when all I was doing was offering to give them time to deal with Lindsay cheating on Mel.” Brian told him.

 

“He did. I mean, I don’t really know you guys except what Emmett has told me about you. Only, the one thing I got was that Lindsay resents how little of your life you include her in. I have a feeling she probably resents Justin for having everything she couldn’t have with you. Emmett made it sound like the only thing that kept Lindsay from becoming as bad as Michael is, was that she knows she wasn’t ever going to be in the running with you.” Drew told him.

 

“I couldn’t forgive her for what she did to Gus’ life; which she said and is true. She thinks I’m still punishing her for practically exploding Gus’ life to the media, but I don’t care enough anymore to punish her. What I do care about is making sure no one hurts Justin or Gus, and the fact that once again her family is involved in hurting my family.” Brian told him.

 

“I’m sure she used that Justin’s more of a threat then she is to Gus,” Emmett said, bringing drinks with him.

 

“Of course. Anything to avoid telling Mel she fucked up. And she wanted Gus around to avoid talking about it.” Brian replied, knowing exactly what Lindsay had been doing.

 

“Nothing new for Lindsay, but how’s Mel taking it?” Emmett asked, concerned for Mel.

 

“She wasn’t packing and leaving, which I sort of expected since that’s how the two of them normally deal with everything,” Brian answered.

 

“If they’d only figure out that sometimes it’s just fucking, then they’d stop treating it like it meant more than it did. From the look on your face, I’m assuming it didn’t go well when you offered to give Lindsay and Mel time to deal with everything.” Justin said.

 

“Nope. Instead, it turned into Lindsay acting like I should be pissed at you for everything wrong in her life, and the fact that you spend more time taking care of our son than she does. Apparently, Mel decided to explain to Lindsay the real reason she backed out of having another kid for her to leave with bodyguards while she shopped or seemed to want to dump Gus off on you, instead of dealing with the fact that being a parent means being one.” Brian told him, surprising Emmett with the fact that Brian didn’t protect Justin from what went on with Lindsay.

 

“I really didn’t care, since I liked spending time with Gus. But Mel shouldn’t have even bothered to go through the whole thing if she hadn’t really wanted to,” Justin told him.

 

“I think she did until you came along, and she saw how Lindsay took advantage of you,” Brian told him.

 

“Still, she shouldn’t have set up the appointments if she wasn’t sure,” Justin told him.

 

“I’m surprised your defending Lindsay, after what Brian said.” Drew told him.

 

“I just don’t see the point in letting it go as far as going to the doctor if you don’t really know what you want. Now, what is it that Corey told me you wanted to tell me about Collier and Michael?” Justin asked, looking at Brian.

 

“Lindsay’s parents are inviting Collier and Michael to their events. Nothing we need to worry about since we’ll be deciding on whether to buy an island.” Brian replied.

 

“Do you know if Collier’s family are being included?” Justin asked.

 

“No. Just that Corey’s guy overheard Nancy including Collier and Michael,” Brian answered.

 

“My mother and father plan to contact Collier’s parents and explain things, and plan to make it clear they aren’t going to let them keep it quiet if Collier comes near Gus or me again,” Justin told him.

 

“Mommy and Daddy aren’t worried about me?” Brian teased, pretending to pout.

 

“Only that you’d actually kill the fucker. Which they would prefer you not do since they don’t want to visit you in jail. Which apparently they would do anyway since they love you so much.” Justin told him.

 

“My parents want to meet you,” Drew said to Emmett when Justin and Brian kept teasing each other.

 

“Are they upset about us?” Emmett asked.

 

“No. Actually, they’re disappointed in me for feeling like I couldn’t trust them with the truth. Plus they like Sierra, and I had to reassure them she still planned to be in our lives. Once they heard she pretty much loves you too, they wanted to meet you.” Drew told him.  

 

“Hopefully they won’t be disappointed you’re stuck with a rocker instead of Betty homemaker,” Emmett told him.

 

“Something Sierra never wanted to be anyway. Although she did say if we ever wanted a baby for ourselves she’d be willing to help us.” Drew told him.

 

“You want that with me?” Emmett asked.

 

“One day. I want it all with you.” Drew told him.

 

“If I ever act like that, cut my dick off.” Brian joked happy Emmett had found someone who wanted all the things he’s always wanted.

 

*****************************************

 

Blake started a fire in the living room. He was hoping Ben’s night went well since he admitted Sean interested him. He’d been waiting since he got here to be alone with Ted, and once again he’d ended up on a call with another band wanting to change not just companies, but their manager as well. Blake understood why. Ted didn’t fuck over his clients. Instead, he went out of his way to help them. While Blake could sympathize, they were infringing on his time with Ted. Ted came out of the bedroom, mouthing ‘sorry’ as he listened to the guy on the phone. Blake, on the other hand, decided to give Ted a reason to hang up.

 

Ted paced back and forth, talking about arrangements to sit down and discuss what it would take to get Ted to agree to take on the band known for being every manager’s nightmare when it came to living up to the rockstar image. Something Ted wouldn’t deal with and the original manager got tired of dealing with. The difference was Ted wouldn’t kiss their asses and had no problem telling them no, while everyone else was too busy being yes men because the band was hot right now. Which they were finding out since Ted wouldn’t drop everything to get a signed contract from them. Then Ted hung up mid-sentence, forgetting everything but a naked and very aroused Blake standing in front of him.

 

“So I take it Blind Dementia has nothing on me naked and willing,” Blake smirked, pulling off Ted’s shirt.

 

******************************************

 

Ben was used to people bending over backward, forward, and pretty much any way he asked to get his attention, which meant Sean’s lack of doing any of that was really doing it for Ben. Sean wasn’t impressed when they went through the VIP entrance of Babylon, or the fact that men were eyeing Ben, hoping to get five minutes in the backroom and bragging rights. Instead, Sean treated Ben like any other guy, with the exception of showing Ben how he moved perfectly with him. He also didn’t pay any attention to other guys flirting with him in order to make Ben jealous. It was novel to Ben to have a guy who didn’t cling or use him to show off. Sean hadn’t been excited about going out together in public, only because Ben wasn’t just some empty-headed rockstar. Which was all anyone else could see about him, but Ben really wanted to come to the club and convinced Sean to join him.

 

Ben went to get some water for both of them, as Sean went to use the bathroom. They planned to leave and go get a late night snack together and maybe more if Sean agreed to it. Sean decided to invited Ben to stay the night, even though he’d been the one wanting to take things slow. Sean planned to tell Ben to stay the night as he washed his hands and headed back to where he was waiting for him. Ben was standing there arguing with a guy Sean knew and looked one step away from wanting to kick the guy’s ass. When Ben saw Sean coming towards him he shoved the guy out of his way and grabbed Sean’s hand and headed straight for the door. 

 

“Want to tell me what’s going on?” Sean asked.

 

“I really didn’t want to ruin our night together when the guy didn’t understand we are together,” Ben told him.

 

“If they believed anything about us being together, it would mean the end to their hopes to bag you,” Sean told him, teasing Ben.

 

“He wanted a chance to bag you,” Ben told him.

 

“What?” Sean asked.

 

“Apparently he wasn’t happy that you were wasting your time with me and wanted me to go find another pilot to fuck with. Who knew, apparently there are pilot groupies too.” Ben told him, managing to calm down.

 

“I only care if pilots do it for you,” Sean told him.

 

“Sean does it for me, you being a pilot is just a bonus for me,” Ben told him.

 

“Want to see how Sean does it to you?” Sean asked him, running when Ben took off to catch the cab waiting.

 

***********************************

 

Justin woke up wondering where Brian disappeared to when it was still the middle of the night. It didn’t take long for him to find Brian. He was sitting in Gus’ room staring at him.

 

“Are you okay?” Justin asked, yawning.

 

“Do you want more kids?” Brian asked.

 

“Someday maybe, why?” Justin asked.

 

“We never talked about it,” Brian answered.

 

“What about you, do you want to be a father again?” Justin asked.

 

“He’s one of the best things in my life, but at the same time I worry about what his future will be like, having me for a father,” Brian told him.

 

“Pretty great, because you love him, and will do everything in your power to make it great for him,” Justin told him.

 

“I wanted him to grow up in a loving home,” Brian commented, pulling Justin to sit down.

 

“You're worried about Mel and Lindsay?” Justin asked.

 

“If they end up breaking up, then yes I’m worried, because Mel is the one I trust with Gus,” Brian told him.

 

“If it comes to that, I’ll support you in whatever you decided we need to do for Gus,” Justin told him.

 

“I don’t get why Lindsay can’t write them off,” Brian told him.

 

“The way you did with your family? Brian, there’s a big difference in your family and hers.” Justin told him, continuing when Brian glared at him. “What you dealt with freed you, because you knew what they were doing to you was wrong. Lindsay, on the other hand, likely got pats on the head when she performed correctly, and presents for doing what they wanted, treats for good behavior. If she didn’t do what they wanted, the only thing she dealt with was disapproval, and the door open for her to get back in their good graces. Something your family never did for you.” 

 

“You think it excuses her?” Brian asked.

 

“No, it doesn’t, but you wanted to know why she couldn’t do what you could. She doesn’t get that she’s being abused, without the shit you dealt with. I don’t excuse her for not protecting Gus, the same way she doesn’t want me excused for the same thing.” Justin told him.

 

“It wasn’t the same. You didn’t know that Collier was deranged. Lindsay does know that about her family.” Brian told him.

 

“How about we go back to bed, and I help you turn off your thoughts,” Justin said, pulling Brian up, planning on having a talk with Lindsay in the morning.

 

 

Chapter 19 by starlight

Brian learned never to stand in Justin’s way when he was determined to do something. It wasn’t like Brian didn’t know what Lindsay did the other day, starting a fight with him. It was her usual avoidance of anything that she didn’t want to deal with. The problem was Justin didn’t like anything that hurt Brian or Gus, and he refused to let Lindsay get away with using Brian. Something that in the past caused problems in Brian’s life. It was the reason Michael stayed in Brian’s life as long as he did. It took Justin showing Brian that relationships weren’t about what someone could get out of you. A relationship shouldn’t be about anything but loving each other and wanting the best for each other. 

 

It’s why Brian grew closer with Emmett than he had ever been with Lindsay and Michael; because Emmett didn’t expect anything for doing what he felt friends did for each other. It’s also why Brian didn’t hide anything about his life with Justin from Emmett. Brian also understood and wasn’t upset with Emmett for hiding his relationship with Drew from him. Because Emmett didn’t owe Brian anything and had the right to keep what he wanted from him. 

 

Actually, Emmett had it far worse than Brian did, since there was little to say about Brian and Justin’s life, other than the usual crap that fascinated people. So far reporters were being extremely careful about only printing the truth, and Brian knew he had Jen and Craig to thank for that. No one wanted to get on the wrong side of Justin’s family. Which Nancy managed to do just by welcoming Collier to all her events. What was hilarious in itself was that she was now putting up with Michael, who didn’t know how to fit into those circles. Brian wondered how Nancy managed to overlook everything that was Michael as he seemed to bungle his way into pissing off everyone around him. Something the man did regularly during the time he worked for Brian and Emmett. Although right now, Brian was more worried about Justin’s anger towards Lindsay for causing Brian to worry about Gus.

 

Justin didn’t do anything stupid. He let Corey do his job in getting Justin to Lindsay and Mel’s house. He wasn’t going to make anything easy for Collier and Michael, plus he really wasn’t sure what Collier’s game was. As far as Justin was concerned Collier was a coward since all he seemed to do was try to get near Justin. But that didn’t mean Justin was going to underestimate Collier’s obsession with him. When nothing seemed to worry Corey, he waved Justin to follow him into the girls’ house. Mel looked like she hadn’t slept much and hugged Justin before walking into her office, leaving him to do what he came here to do. Lindsay on the other hand, wasn’t happy to see Justin standing in her living room. Justin knew it was because Lindsay wasn’t sure how to handle him, the way she tried to handle everyone else. She sat sipping her tea, pretending she didn’t have a clue why Justin would be pissed at her.

 

“Do you know what I’m really tired of?” Justin asked her.

 

“No. Since your life is everything you ever wanted it to be, what would you have to be tired of?” Lindsay questioned.

 

“I can’t say you’re wrong about that, but dealing with all the supposed friends of Brian is what I’m tired of. I’m tired of having to watch him wonder about his judgment of the people he thought loved him, then disappointed him. Which is why he didn’t want you to know about anything that involved me in his life.” Justin told her.

 

“I welcomed you into every part of my life.” Lindsay pointed out.

 

“As long as it kept Brian in your life. Something that having Gus did for you. Which doesn’t make a lot of sense if your goal was to have a family with Mel.” Justin told her.

 

“We wanted children, so yes, it was MY goal. Only, when we wanted to do it again, somehow my letting you have the time you wanted with Gus became the reason Mel no longer wanted to expand our family.” Lindsay told him.

 

“Are we really going to play this game with each other?” Justin asked her.

 

“What game?” Lindsay asked.

 

“The one where you avoid everything in order to not have to deal with your insecurities.” Justin answered.

 

“You couldn’t understand what it’s like.” Lindsay replied.

 

“No, I couldn’t, because I don’t give a shit what anyone thinks about me or the way I choose to live my life. If my parents didn’t accept me, that wasn’t going to change anything about what I did or wanted.” Justin told her, hoping to get through to Lindsay before she ruined everything in her life.

 

“Why would you care? You got everything you wanted in your life, including my son.” Lindsay spat.

 

“You think I’m replacing you in some way?” Justin asked.

 

“Brian used to talk to me, but now he acts like I’m no one to him.” Lindsay told him.

 

“I wasn’t here when that started Lindsay. For once take the blame for what you did. It wasn’t about anything but you wanting approval from your family in any way you could get it. You didn’t care who got hurt. You just hoped it would make you look better than your sister for once. Why are you competing with her when you’ve already won?” Justin asked her.

 

“She gets everything, and I’ve won?” Lindsay questioned.

 

“What did she get, other than divorced and the knowledge that eventually her looks won’t keep her from facing a life alone when there’s nothing left to attract another husband into giving up half his bank account for the privilege of dealing with the ice queen in training? Do you even see what you have, versus what she never will? Do you get that Mel is trying but will give up if you don’t help her understand what made you do what you did to her?” Justin asked, waiting to see if any of it got through to Lindsay.

 

“She did it once too.” Lindsay said, as if it was all that mattered.

 

“Which you both managed to work through. Something Mel is trying to do with you. Only you’re using my husband to avoid dealing with your own mess. Understand something about me, when it comes to things that hurt or worry Brian, I’m not going to sit back and avoid it. What you did didn’t help you in any way. Instead, it made Brian consider how he saw Gus’ future if you and Mel can’t work this out.” Justin told her.

 

“There is nothing that would change for Brian if Mel left me.” Lindsay told him.

 

“But everything would change for you since Brian trusts Mel more than you. You keep acting like this is some sort of punishment for what happened with Gus, but it’s because Mel gave him a reason to trust her when everything you do seems to be about pretending how none of it was your fault. Why not for once take responsibility and own that you fucked up with Mel, and find out that she’s nothing like the family that wouldn’t accept you as you are. The alternative is that you end up alone. Because Brian won’t help you fix the shit you caused.” Justin told her.

 

“Yet he’s okay with the shit you brought into Gus’ life.” Lindsay struck back, hurt that everything Justin said was the truth.

 

“I’m not okay with the fact that some asshole thinks he has some right to any part of my life. I do blame myself for not protecting Gus from a person I didn’t know has an unhealthy obsession with me. Is that what you need to hear? That I’m having nightmares about what could have happened to Gus if Collier realized how much I love that boy? Do you need to hear that I agree with you that Gus needs to be protected from anything being around me could do to him? Only, Gus being around you when you won’t just simply admit to your partner you fucked up and trying to work it out isn’t in Gus’ best interest. Because you’ll use your son to avoid talking to Mel, the way you tried to use Brian last night.” Justin rolled his eyes as Lindsay actually looked surprised that Brian saw through what she did. “What you did last night wasn’t what you hoped, instead, all it did was make Brian consider whether or not you’re the best person to raise Gus.” 

 

“I love Gus.” Lindsay told him.

 

“Then prove it and fix what you did to Mel.” Justin answered.

 

“How, when I don’t have a real reason for what I did? I didn’t want Sam, we were fighting and then we were fucking, that’s all it was. When I came home all I wanted to do was forget it ever happened, and for a while I thought no one would ever know about it.” Lindsay told him, as Mel stood in the doorway.

 

“Then how did your family know about it?” Mel asked.

 

“I don’t know.” Lindsay answered her.

 

“They know because they wanted to make sure nothing Lindsay did tainted their lives. If Lindsay did anything they made sure they knew about it. It’s what families that have things to hide do. Which should tell you exactly what you are to them, Lindsay. Your mother used the one thing that could ruin your life to help her and your sister. While you sit here ruining everything with Mel, who accepted you for everything they couldn’t. It’s time for you to decide where your loyalties lie; with a family who is willing to fuck up your life for a step up in their social circle or with the woman who does everything she can to give you the life you’ve never had with your family. While you decide that, you also need to know that I won’t let you use my life to hurt my husband. While you two decide what you’re doing, Brian and I will be taking Gus with us on vacation. And if you two can work through this than Lindsay can call Brian so he can decide what will happen when it comes to Gus.” Justin told them, getting up to leave with Corey.

 

“What about Collier?” Lindsay asked, thinking of a way to help.

 

“My mother’s about to deal with that problem, and if you want to help, go to her,” Justin answered.

 

*******************************************

 

Michael gingerly got out of the bed, knowing he needed to get away from Collier. He managed to get out of the room without waking Collier up. Michael couldn’t believe he slept with Collier and let him pretend he was Justin for the night. Which at first sounded like fun in his drunken state; until Collier tied him up and started punishing him for his betrayal in marrying Brian. Then it was like a switch flipped and Collier was whipping Michael for not keeping Brian from wanting Justin. Michael wasn’t against role-playing, but what Collier did wasn’t playing when he fucked Michael over and over, screaming Justin’s name as he came. Then he got angry when it was still Michael tied up underneath him. Collier untied Michael before falling asleep, which is the moment he should have gotten away from the asshole, who could never be Brian for Michael; pretend or otherwise. Instead, Michael decided to rest before he demanded Collier pay him back, then he’d leave. Only Michael knew that until Collier’s parents arrived there wasn’t any reason to stick around. He was almost to the door when he realized he had nowhere to go. Collier used up all of Michael’s money and so far Collier’s parents hadn’t given him the money he was supposed to pay Michael back with. Michael didn’t have anyone to call, since everyone treated him like he betrayed Brian and Emmett.

 

Collier came out of the bedroom, barely paying any attention to Michael as he spoke on his phone. Michael listened as Collier sounded less than happy at what he was hearing, when he threw the phone at the wall, Michael knew he should have left before Collier woke up.

 

“What?” Michael asked, when Collier looked like he wanted to hit something.

 

“My parents had a talk with Jennifer Taylor and your mother. Which means I’ll have to convince them I’m here because of you.” Collier told him.

 

“What’s the problem?” Michael asked since that was what Collier told him they had to do.

 

“Nothing, except we both have to stay with them until we convince them or I have to agree to be committed again,” Collier answered, angry.

 

“Committed? Again?” Michael asked.

 

“My old therapist thinks I get unnaturally obsessed with people, they just don’t understand that Mr Murphy and Justin just needed time to see I was what they wanted. It’s like Brian for you; he just doesn’t see that he shouldn’t have wanted anyone but you. My parents will only give me money if we both talk to the therapist they hired and convince him we want each other.” Collier told him.

 

“Any idea who the therapist is?” Michael asked.

 

“Nope, just some guy suggested by your mother. Do you know Alex Wilder?” Collier asked.

 

 

Chapter 20 by starlight

Brian hung up the phone and laid his head in his arms on the towel, tanning on the beach, while watching Justin and Gus play in the sand. It made him think about what it would be like to have another child, one with Justin this time. Lindsay apologized over and over to him about what she had done as if it somehow made up for everything. It was more than Brian expected from her, but still not enough for the shit she put Gus through. It wasn’t like Gus knew what was happening, but Brian’s life was lived in the public and if Gus looked up anything it wouldn’t all be something that made Brian look great. It was why he never brought up having a child with Justin before the other night. He didn’t want his children to deal with what his career did to their lives. Only, seeing Justin with Gus made the worries he had seem less significant. Justin didn’t say he wanted a child, but Brian could see that Justin was a natural father. As with everything else since Brian met Justin, he wanted to give the man everything he could.

 

Brian was just happy when Justin was around, something he found elusive before they met. His life before Justin wasn’t bad, in fact, he got everything he wanted, fame and fortune. But eventually, there was still something he could feel missing from his world. He spent years letting his friends fill in the gaps in his life, only to find they couldn’t fill the space Justin managed to by just letting Brian figure out who he was, not what everyone thought he should be. It was what made it easy for Brian to love Justin. It was the kind of love he thought he’d never experience, with anyone. Brian poured his love into Gus and knew he could do again with a child he and Justin raised. He planned to leave it alone until Collier and Michael were dealt with, but somehow it was all he could think about, watching the way Justin loved Gus. 

 

Justin cleaned Gus up in the water, just happy to be free of men dogging his every step. Corey had his men stationed all over the island and promised they wouldn’t be intrusive since no one could come on the island without permission. The houses were far enough apart that everyone had their privacy, and Justin’s only plan, beyond helping Daphne with her small wedding, was spending his freedom with Brian and Gus. Everyone offered to take Gus if they wanted to spend time alone, but for them being with Gus was just as important to them. Justin walked back to where Brian was working on his tan, wondering why Brian seemed to be lost in thought.

 

“I hate you. You don’t burn.” Justin joked.

 

“At least Gus got that from me too,” Brian smirked as he tossed the sunscreen to Justin.

 

“That’s not all he got. Sometimes I wonder where Lindsay’s genes went, since Gus is all you,” Justin told him, rubbing himself and Gus down again.

 

“It tickles.” Gus giggled.

 

“It makes me wonder what your child would get from you,” Brian told him.

 

“Is there a reason you keep bringing this up Mr Kinney?” Justin asked.

 

“You never really gave me an answer when I asked if you wanted a child. Maybe doesn’t really say yes or no.” Brian told him.

 

“It’s just not something I was ever sure of doing. I love kids but I also like our life the way it is. I could be happy with just Gus, but then there’s part of me that would be happy having a child we don’t have to share with other people. I honestly don’t care if we had a child that was biologically mine.” Justin answered.

 

“Gus proves that, and I could be happy with any child we had together,” Brian told him.

 

“You really want this?” Justin asked.

 

“I didn’t know I did, but like everything else since I met you, I want things I never knew I wanted,” Brian told him.

 

“What do you think Gus, do you want a brother or sister?” Justin asked, wanting a minute to think about how to answer Brian.

 

“I want a puppy,” Gus told them, making them laugh.

 

“As long as it has the blue eyes I fell in love with,” Brian commented.

 

******************************************************

 

Emmett sat on the deck, happy that he and Drew didn’t have to worry about anyone taking pictures of them and speculating on whether Emmett turned Drew gay. Unlike Brian and Justin, the media ignored everything Drew, Sierra, and Emmett said in the article and printed every misdeed of Emmett’s life before Drew. While Emmett didn’t regret having fun, he didn’t want to make it harder on Drew with his team. So far they seemed to be taking it in stride and not kicking Drew off the team. But it was one thing to know Drew was gay, and another for his first out relationship to be with a guy as flamboyant as Emmett. Emmett couldn’t help that he wanted people to like him, and he already had strikes against him since they all loved Sierra. 

 

Drew knew Emmett had been upset since the asshole Bellwether seemed to be targeting Emmett, when nothing about Brian got him anywhere. It was like Bellwether was determined to make Emmett miserable. It didn’t help that Drew’s manager made it sound like his relationship with the rockstar was a PR nightmare and would ruin Drew’s image. Drew didn’t care what anyone thought, because for the first time in his life he wasn’t hiding who he was or willing to put Emmett in a closet to make everyone happy.  

 

“Emmett, everything is going to be fine,” Drew said, knowing Emmett was once again worried about him.  

 

“I didn’t realize how my life would sound,” Emmett told him.

 

“No worse than anyone else’s. You were single enjoying your life. If you want the truth, I’m envious of the freedom you had, not afraid of who you are.” Drew told him.

 

“At first they wanted Brian and me to hide it,” Emmett admitted.

 

“You both managed to have it all, so they were wrong,” Drew told him.

 

“Which you couldn’t with your career,” Emmett told him.

 

“Maybe I can, but in the end, if I can’t, then so be it. It’s not the end of my life, since being with you comes out of all this.” Drew told him.

 

***********************************************************

 

Ted knew he should be humbled at the interest in the label he was starting, but all he was, was annoyed at the fact that no one got that he wasn’t going to kiss their ass to sign them. He didn’t plan on just signing anyone. Like Brian and Emmett, Ted only wanted people who actually had talent. One hit wonders and bands made up of a bunch of pretty things with less talent weren’t anything he wanted to be attached to his label. It’s why he agreed to represent Ben and Blake, because they had talent, in the same way Brian and Emmett did. It was why he didn’t just ignore Blake when he started getting in trouble, because he wasn’t like other managers who didn’t give a shit if the talent was killing themselves, just as long as they continued to perform. Ted’s interest in Blake didn’t happen until after Blake cleaned up his life. It wasn’t because Ted didn’t find Blake attractive, it was that Ted never really thought he had a chance with him. Not because Ted saw himself as unattractive, just that he’d never seen himself as the kind of guy who rockstars lusted after. It still made him wonder why Blake and Ben never got together, since their chemistry on stage fueled a lot of speculation. Ted watched as Blake danced around the kitchen making lunch, and wondered how Ben didn’t snatch Blake up years ago.

 

“Why me and not Ben?” Ted asked, not really meaning to ask.

 

“The same reason as to why no one else, you love who you love. Ben and I never could get past being friends, and neither of us wanted more from each other. Plus we would have ended up in trouble when it didn’t work, so why bother with something neither of us really wanted from each other.” Blake answered honestly.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me before how you felt?” Ted asked.

 

“You didn’t act like you were interested in me,” Blake told him.

 

“I can’t say I was in the beginning,” Ted told him, honestly.

 

“What changed your mind?” Blake asked, sitting on Ted’s lap.

 

“The day you came out of rehab, you didn’t try to excuse yourself for the shit you did, but willingly admitted you did it to yourself. I respected you, for being as strong as you are.” Ted told him.

 

“I wasn’t strong until I had you and Ben not giving up on me. You both made me want to be a better person than I was; Ben for being my best friend even when there was nothing about me worth his time, and you, I just wanted to you, and I knew if I didn’t change my life, I might not get a chance to be with you.” Blake told him.

 

**********************************************************

 

Brandon was really starting to feel like nothing was panning out with the stalker thing, until he overheard Deb ranting about her son’s new boyfriend. Only, ‘boyfriend’ was said with sarcasm and disbelief. Combined with the society page editor looking puzzled at why the Peterson’s were excited to include a guy name Collier Hartline and his boyfriend into their circle helped Brandon connect the dots. Brandon looked up what little he could find on Collier Hartline, and bingo, the guy lived on the fringes of Justin Taylor’s life. Michael’s involvement with Collier finally made sense, since everyone knew Michael wanted Brian Kinney. Granted, Brandon pretty much assumed anyone would do if Michael could ride along on their coattails and get attention, but Brian felt sorry for the shithead and kept him around. If Kip could be believed, that’s the only reason Emmett and Brian didn’t walk away from him, because they loved Deb Novotny enough to put up with Michael.

 

Brandon waited around the lobby of the hotel that Michael was checked into, hoping for once to get a story no one else could. Bellwether had changed his mind about helping Brandon, instead going on a campaign to smear Emmett Honeycutt, since no one would touch Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor unless they could verify everything. Bellwether at least was smarter this time and only wrote articles about Emmett that didn’t cross the line into fantasy land. It was likely the only reason Emmett hadn’t been able to do anything about Bellwether’s articles. Brandon left him to his fluff, because he wanted to be better than a tabloid reporter, which was where Bellwether was headed. 

 

***************************************************

 

Collier and Michael were so busy bickering about how to fool Alex, they didn’t really pay any attention to anyone around them. When the car pulled up and Collier’s mother got out, he really wished he’d dressed Michael better. His mother took one look at Michael and Collier knew she didn’t believe he could be who her son would choose on purpose. Collier agreed, but he wasn’t going to be committed again, just because no one else understood how pure Collier’s love for Justin was. 

 

“I’ve gotten Dr Wilder to agree to come to us, he’d like to talk to both of you separately,” Mary told them both.

 

“Why?” Collier asked, not sure Michael could be trusted not to fuck this up for him.

 

“Dr Wilder said it would be better to deal with one problem at a time.” She told him.

 

*****************************************************

 

Alex knew he was going to regret agreeing to help in this situation, but he was willing to do what he could to help Brian. He’d been surprised as the rest of the world that Brian Kinney had gotten married, but happy to hear Brian hadn’t let his past stop him from letting Justin Taylor into his life. Alex was willing to help Brian after getting a call from him, asking him to make sure Collier couldn’t fool anyone into believing that he wanted anyone but Justin. Alex was willing to be unbiased about his patients, but everything about this relationship that Collier and Michael were trying to convince everyone they had worried Alex. Both of them were delusional, but with Collier, it went further than wishful thinking into an unbalanced territory. Michael went from one scheme to the next, never really planning anything, just hoping something would work to get him what he wanted. The only thing that helped was that Deb wasn’t willing to help Michael out of this mess, and Collier’s parents couldn’t pay the Taylor’s off in order to keep their son out of trouble this time. Alex couldn’t wait to see how Nancy Peterson dealt with pissing off two families higher up on the social scale. He had a feeling Nancy and Lynette just committed social suicide instead of what they hoped for.


Chapter 21 by starlight

Collier sat in Alex’s office, staring at the folder sitting in the middle of his desk. He didn’t like seeing Justin’s name next to Brian’s and was even more annoyed at the fact that Justin’s last name included Kinney. He knew they were trying to trip him up by leaving it out where he could see it. Alex acted like he didn’t even notice it was there, but Collier was far from stupid. Yet, he couldn’t focus on what Alex’s was asking because he wanted the folder, hoping it would give him a way to get to Justin. 

 

“Your mother is concerned Collier, and with your past, I think she has valid reasons to be doubtful about your motives,” Alex told him.

 

“My mother could care less about me or my past, everything for her is about keeping up appearances,” Collier commented.

 

“You don’t feel she’s valid in her concerns, given the lengths you’ve gone to in order to insert yourself into Justin’s life?” Alex asked him.

 

“In what way, because I bought his art? Because I happened to support his ex-boyfriend’s career? How do you get I was inserting myself into his life? I like art, and Justin happens to be one of the artists whose work appealed to me. I also happen to like Ethan’s music and wanted to help him, which didn’t have anything to do with Justin.” Collier answered.

 

 “You talking to Justin’s son tells me differently,” Alex told him.

 

“You mean Brian Kinney’s son, not Justin’s.” Collier made sure to point out.

 

“I doubt Brian or Justin see it that way since they include him in their lives, but what explanation could you have for approaching Gus in a place you have no reason to go to?” Alex asked him.

 

“I was just curious, nothing more. I happened to see Justin and wondered why he was so far from home. But like I’ve pointed out already, I was just curious about what he was doing in Pittsburgh and I’d also like to point out that I didn’t once approach Justin, just asked a kid a question.” Collier told him.

 

“Did you like the answer?” Alex prodded.

 

“I thought we were here to talk about my relationship with… Michael.” Collier said, avoiding answering.

 

“Sure. Explain to me how you and Michael met and fell in love, but before you do I want to let you know I’ve talked to Ethan Gold, who explained what happened in the hotel the day you and Michael met.” Alex told him.

 

“Ethan’s a liar and angry at me because I won’t keep supporting his lazy ass when all he does is whine about how he could have been the best. It’s why I wouldn’t go on supporting him; he did nothing to have the career he thinks the world owes him. So if I were you I wouldn’t believe anything he says about me.” Collier told him.

 

“Then convince me your still not obsessed with Justin Taylor,” Alex requested.

 

“I’m with Michael,” Collier answered.

 

“Which doesn’t explain anything other than you think saying it means something. Unlike you, I actually know a lot about Michael Novotny, and what I know and have seen is that you're not likely to hold his interest because you won’t give him what he wants.” Alex replied.

 

“Like what?” Collier asked.

 

“To be the center of attention. To be the one everyone wants to be with and be like. Basically, be the reason he became obsessed with Brian Kinney. Being with you wouldn’t give him that, and that leads me to believe he’s here because he wants to believe it will lead him to what he really wants.” Alex told him.

 

Collier got up and left, not willing to engage Alex. For once willing to concede his mother found someone Collier wasn’t going to be able to fool.

 

Alex wondered how long it would take before Michael opened his mouth. So far it might be a personal best at ten minutes without a word. Collier wasn’t happy to be left sitting in the waiting room, which meant he figured out that Michael wouldn’t be able to pull off the in-love couple they were spouting to everyone. Alex looked at his watch as they were just about to reach minute eleven and tried not to smirk when Michael gave in and started talking.

 

“This is pointless. Why do I have to prove anything? I don’t get why everyone is acting like it’s unbelievable that Collier is who I want to be with.” Michael commented.

 

“You don’t have to prove it to me. That’s not why I agreed to see you.” Alex told him.

 

“Then what I’m I here for?” Michael asked.

 

“I want to make sure this relationship is healthy for the two of you. My concern right now is the only thing the two of you have in common are Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney.” Alex told him, noticing Michael scowl at the last name. “In your case, you’ve spent your life clinging to the idea that Brian would eventually want you when he’s never given you any reason to cling to the belief it would ever happen.” 

 

“He showed me he wanted me. I didn’t need him to tell me.” Michael told him.

 

“He also married someone else, which should have told you where you stood with Brian,” Alex told him.

 

“Brian made a mistake, and when he realizes it, he’ll do what he should have done,” Michael told him.

 

“Which is?” Alex asked.

 

“Do what he owes me for sticking by him. I’m the reason he’s fucking famous, yet what did I get when I’m the one who started the band? I got stuck cleaning up after Brian and Emmett and treated like I wasn’t the most important person in Brian’s life. He doesn’t get to run off with someone else and act like I don’t matter to him.” Michael ranted, before realizing he was supposed to be here convincing Alex he wanted Collier. “Brian just needs to remember I’m a part of his life, that’s all.”

 

“Michael, it’s time for you to make a life of your own. Brian has one that he sounds very excited about and doesn’t see you as being a part of. He knows you won’t be happy unless you were the one he planned to spend his life with or lives up to the life you think kept him from being with you. Brian has moved on to someone he can love and that loves him.” Alex told him.

 

“Don’t believe everything you read. If he was so in love with Justin why was he hiding it like he made a mistake?” Michael asked, not giving a shit about proving his relationship with Collier.

 

“I don’t. I heard it from him when he called me. It’s time you let it go and start helping yourself, the path you're headed on will lose you more than you have already lost.” Alex told him.

 

“I think it will get me everything I deserve,” Michael told him, walking out.

 

Alex thought Michael was right, but doubted Michael understood what he deserved. Collier made a big show of kissing Michael in front of Alex and his mother, but it really didn’t work when neither looked thrilled at the kiss.

 

***********************************************

 

Brian smiled as Daphne danced with Justin, so far the families took it well. In the end, their children got married, so they let go of the wedding they wanted for their children. Jen came over to stand with Brian, smiling along with him when Justin dipped Daphne.

 

“I think you owe me a dance,” Jen told him.

 

Brian held out his arm and led his mother-in-law out on the dance floor. Like the rest of the Taylors, he was a slave to Jen, who loved him even when she worried about her son marrying the wild rockstar.

 

“What are you and Justin up to after this?” Jen asked.

 

“Until Emmett and I wait out the terms of Vanguard, nothing much. Why?” Brian asked, wanting to wait to tell her about his and Justin’s decision on having another child.

 

“I wanted to ask you and Emmett to appear at a benefit I’m hosting. If Blake and Ben want to help that would be great too. I’m sure Justin will donate a painting to our cause too since I plan to make sure all the proceeds go to helping out the LGBTQ community in Pittsburgh.” Jen told him.

 

“When would this event be?” Brian asked, suspicious.

 

“Would you believe it’s the same day as the wedding Nancy is trying to get you and Justin to show up to? You wouldn’t believe the people who’ve already agreed to come and throw in their support too. It’s too bad they’ve had to send Nancy their regrets. Nancy really shouldn’t have introduced those assholes around people who are offended that they were duped by her into believing they were friends of yours.” Jen told him, looking anything but sad about it.

 

“I’ll make sure they all agree, thanks, Mom,” Brian told her, going off to find Emmett.

 

Justin handed Daphne off to Travis, before going to look for Brian. He wandered around until he found Brian sitting on the beach outside. As he walked closer he heard Brian singing to Gus. It was one of Justin’s favorite things when they spent time with Gus. All over the world people loved the heavy rock Brian and Emmett played, but for Justin, it was the soft lullabies that his husband sang to Gus that got to him. Justin might love the life they had together but to deny another child the privilege of having Brian Kinney sing them to sleep outweighed it for him.

 

“We need to get Gus to bed,” Justin whispered, picking up Gus while Brian got up.

 

“I was just waiting until you were ready,” Brian told him.

 

“I’m ready. I think we should let Molly know since she’s willing to help us.” Justin told him, as they walked towards their beach house.

 

“What?” Brian asked.

 

“With our next child. That way it would be part of both of us. She doesn’t want any children of her own, but she loves being an aunt.” Justin told him.

 

“When did you think of that?” Brian asked.

 

“She offered when I told her today that we were planning on having a child. What do you think?” Justin asked.

 

“I think we should find a surrogate and get your sister a present to thank her for doing this for us,” Brian told him.

 

“I love you,” Justin said.

 

“Show me after we get Gus to bed,” Brian replied.

 

Chapter 22 by starlight

Justin and Brian were sitting with Jen and Craig as Molly told them about agreeing to donate eggs to Brian and Justin. While Craig was disappointed that Molly didn’t want children, he was happy that he’d still have grandchildren. Jen worried that Molly was still too young to know what she wanted. But in the end, she realized that if Molly changed her mind later she could still have children of her own. Jen loved her daughter’s generosity which would offer both Brian and Justin a chance to have a child of their own and give Gus a brother or sister.

 

“When do you want to do this?” Molly asked.

 

“It’s up to you. We wanted to ask if you wanted to carry it or have someone else do it,” Justin asked, just wanting to offer the option again. Already knowing Molly didn’t want to do it.

 

“No thanks, someone else can carry it. Being an incubator isn’t my idea of fun. Plus, I planned to work the internship with Dad’s company, which means I don’t have time to deal with all the wonderful crap pregnancy brings.” Molly told them.

 

“Justin and I are going to need time to find a surrogate. Then we’d like to get started as soon as we do.” Brian told them.

 

“We can get my and your part over with now if you want. I read up on it and they just freeze everything until you decide.” Molly told Brian.

 

“We could use the same clinic I used with Lindsay,” Brian told them.

 

“How’s she going to feel about this?” Jen asked, concerned.

 

“It’s really none of her business,” Brian answered, still not okay with Lindsay.

 

“I know that, but in the end, it involves Gus, so she’s going to have to know.” Justin reminded him.

 

“Until the pregnancy happens, she doesn’t need to know. Which is going to put Mel in an awkward position. Since she’ll be helping us deal with the surrogate.” Brian told Justin.

 

“You could use one of our lawyers.” Craig offered.

 

“I trust Mel to do her job and I know she won’t say anything to anyone unless I tell her she can. It’s why I respect her, and won’t go with people I don’t know.” Brian told them.

 

“Just let her know if she needs to talk to anyone, Craig and I are available. It can’t be easy for her since everyone she knows, she can’t tell.” Jen told them.

 

“Trying to adopt another one?” Craig teased Jen.

 

“I just want to make sure she has someone she can talk to.” Jen told him, kissing him while Justin and Molly cringed and smiled at their parents.

 

*********************************************

 

Emmett kept changing his clothes. He didn’t want Drew’s family to see him as a rock star, versus the wholesomeness they saw in Seira. Seira told Emmett not to worry, but he’d never met the parents of anyone he was interested in before. And the fact that they were dealing with Drew coming out, and Emmett being the person who he came out for, made him twice as nervous. Drew even tried to tell Emmett to be himself, because his parents would have to get over any problems they might have with him. Drew said it meaning that nothing would change how he felt about Emmett, but Emmett, of course, thought that meant they didn’t approve of him.

 

Drew’s parents weren’t thrilled to find out he and Seira had been pretending, but it was more because they didn’t understand why their son couldn’t tell them the truth. His dad might be an alpha male, but he never once had a problem with the gay community. Both of Drew’s parents raised him and his brother Mark to understand that acceptance was the greatest gift they could give to the world. His mother dealt with how people reacted to her sister with autism and refused to let her sons treat anyone like they were less, regardless of the situation. Which is why she was hurt that Drew felt he had to hide from her and his father. She was bringing his aunt with them, which wasn’t for any reason other than Aunt Nell loved the beach. It’s why Drew wanted to get in on the deal with the others, because Nell would love to come here. Drew hadn’t explained to Emmett about Nell and he really didn’t see any reason Emmett would have a problem with her. Although he did ask his mother to explain Emmett to Nell, since she loved Seira.

 

“What do you think?” Emmett asked, wearing pants and a sweater.

 

“As I said, I only want you to be you. Trust me, my parents are only upset at me for lying to them.” Drew told him.

 

“You weren’t ready to deal with it. Which I understand after dealing with my family.” Emmett told him.

 

“They wouldn’t have cared, and I knew it,” Drew told him.

 

“DREWSIE, Let us in!” was yelled, while someone knocked frantically.

 

“Did your parents bring a date as well?” Emmett joked, going to the door.

 

“No, they brought my aunt. I should have told you,” Drew said, feeling like shit.

 

“Can we go to the beach now?” Nell asked, looking at the wall. “Becca said we could go.” She said once again to the wall, as Drew came over to her.

 

Emmett noticed her lack of eye contact. Then the way, while Drew hugged her, she stood there not returning it, only smiling to the wall. Drew’s parents came in, smiling at the sight, then at Emmett, who stood at the door, not sure what to do. Emmett’s first impression was that the two of them loved their family, and the second was Drew’s father was a giant. While Drew’s mother was tiny compared to the men in her family, which was only confirmed when Drew’s brother Mark came through the door.

 

“I hope you guys are ready to live at the beach today.” Drew’s father told Emmett, reaching out his hand to shake.

 

“It’s pretty much all we do since the island’s private,” Emmett told him, shaking the proffered hand.

 

“How are you two holding up?” Drew’s mother Becca asked.

 

“So far we’re just dealing with one reporter, who seems to hate Emmett,” Drew told them.

 

“Becca says you’re Emmett from Dark Angel. Are you?” Nell interrupted, looking at Emmett for a second before her eyes wandered away.

 

“Do you like Dark Angel?” Emmett asked.

 

“She loves your songs,” Becca whispered, as Nell started humming one of them.

 

“I could see if Brian could come over, if she wants to hear a few songs,” Emmett told them.

 

“Can he, Becca?” Nell begged, making Emmett laugh, since it was obvious she was a bigger fan of Brian than Emmett.

 

“As long as they want to.” Drew’s dad, Will, told her.

 

“Trust me, Brian loves meeting real fans, and I’d like you to meet my friends too,” Emmett told them.

 

“We’re here to get to know you, and a free trip to the beach never hurts,” Becca told them.

 

“We also want to make sure Drew realizes we love him,” Will commented, looking at his son.

 

“I should have told you guys, it was just that I wasn’t ready,” Drew told them.

 

“How is the team dealing with it?” Becca asked as Nell walked over to Emmett.

 

“Can we go see the water?” Nell asked, ignoring everyone.

 

“How about we get changed first?” Mark asked, leaving his parents and brother to talk.

 

“I want to go out there,” Nell said, pointing to the beach and sounding agitated.

 

“I know you do, but Emmett needs to show us to our rooms,” Mark told her, calmly.

 

“I want to go out there!” She tells him louder, getting everyone’s attention.

 

“Sweetie, why don’t we get changed then we can go out there?” Becca asked her.

 

“No! I want to go out there now!” Nell told them.

 

“How about Nell and I go out there, while Drew shows you to your rooms and then Nell and I can come back in time to change?” Emmett offered, to help defuse the situation.

 

“It would give us time to talk too,” Drew told his parents.

 

“Are you sure you don’t mind?” Becca asked, not wanting to make Emmett feel like he had to.

 

“Maybe it will make Nell see I’m her favorite and not Brian.” Emmett joked.

 

Mark took Nell out, telling Emmett to meet them outside, since he looked too formal to go for a stroll on the beach. He also wanted to give Drew and his parents time to talk, since his parents worried about Drew. Emmett changed and found them standing on the shore with Nell digging in the sand.

 

“She looks for shells to make things with. If she likes you, she’ll give you one.” Mark explained.

 

“I like him, but I can’t find one for him,” Nell said, still looking around.

 

Emmett sat down with her, watching as she picked up one rejecting it or keeping it in her pocket. He started looking around with her, showing each one to her, not sure what she was looking for. She picked up a few small intact seashells that reminded Emmett of Brian’s old bracelet. She let Emmett take them to look at before wanting them back.

 

“What are you looking for?” Mark asked, sitting on the sand.

 

“Emmett’s shell.” She told him.

 

“What does my shell look like?” Emmett asked her.

 

“Happiness.” She tells him, picking up a sand dollar.

 

“Why?” Mark asks.  

 

“Because he makes Drewsie happy, unlike Seira,” Nell told him.

 

“I like Seira,” Emmett tells her.

 

“But she didn’t love our Drewsie like you do,” Nell told him.

 

“No, she didn’t, Sweetheart.” Emmett agreed.

 

“I tried to tell everyone Drewsie was different, like me,” Nell told him.

 

“Not different, special,” Mark told her.

 

“Emmett can be special too if he wants to,” Nell told them.

 

“I’d love to be as special as you are,” Emmett told her, winning over both Mark and Nell.

 

Chapter 23 by starlight

As Lindsay drove away from the club and her mother and sister’s increased irritation at the way people were treating Lynette’s wedding like the last place anyone wanted to be, she had a revelation. One that had taken all her life to figure out. Her mother didn’t rule the world around her, she was just one of the players who thought she did. Something that was becoming obvious as the wedding got closer and people were sending regrets, not caring that Nancy Peterson expected everyone to attend. It wasn’t like Lindsay didn’t know her mother was a bitch, although for years people feared her enough to kiss her ass. Only that wasn’t happening now, instead, they were flocking to the new queen of the country club, Jennifer Taylor, even though she wasn’t a member. Unlike Nancy, Jennifer Taylor was nice. She also didn’t look down on anyone in the club, regardless of their status. She’d even included Lindsay in conversations, gushing about Gus and Lindsay being part of her family. Jennifer didn’t mention Nancy or Lynette as they stood on the outside of the circle of admirers. Jennifer also didn’t sling mud in their direction, only saying she was sorry she couldn’t include them in the events she had planned since that risked the security of her family. Lindsay had never seen her mother so close to losing it, but Nancy Peterson was known for keeping her composure. Although she managed to look as if she was sucking lemons the whole evening. 

 

Jennifer didn’t act like a vacation on a private island was a big deal. It was just the time they were able to spend with their children and grandson. They made sure everyone heard how proud they were of having Gus in their life. Which wasn’t something Nancy had ever done beyond the first mention of accepting Lindsay’s lifestyle and she continued to say ‘the child’ instead of Gus’s name.  Lindsay knew Nancy thought she could get away with it, since in the past people were still kissing her ass. 

 

It didn’t help that Lindsay’s father, Ron, wasn’t thrilled as the cost of the wedding was outdoing the last two of Lynette’s weddings. The fact that Ron even bothered to say anything was new in their world. He usually just handed over the credit cards and spent time anywhere but in the company of the women in his life. Only this time he asked to talk to Lindsay privately, wanting to know what the hell was going on. Lindsay knew he asked her because she couldn’t make his life miserable the way Nancy and Lynette could.

 

Lindsay had explained it all from the beginning, including her mother’s threat about Sam. She made a point of explaining how the inclusion of Michael and Collier to Lynette’s events were causing a backlash, and in the end, figured out the only thing Ron Peterson cared about was being embarrassed in front of his golf buddies. He didn’t care that his wife blackmailed his daughter, or that Lynette’s wedding was going to be a ghost town. He cared they’d be the laughing stock of the society they thought they ruled over. He cared that his invitations to events with the other men were drying up. After that conversation, Lindsay was subjected to Lynette’s complaints of how Lindsay should think about how this affected Lynette. It was supposed to be her day, not a day of having to listen to people gush over Gus. Nancy joined in, complaining about the way people forgot her opinion mattered and that she was going to make sure everyone felt her disapproval. Lindsay walked off, only to be stopped one more time at her car by Craig Taylor. He let her know if she needed someone to talk to he and Jennifer were there to listen without judgment. 

 

“Why, all I’ve done was hurt everyone who mattered in my life?” Lindsay asked, completely confused at the offer.

 

“Because we all make mistakes and need to know there is someone out there who doesn’t judge you by what you did, but by what you’re doing to make it right. It’s not an easy thing when you feel like you don’t have anyone to listen to you.” Craig told her.

 

“I’m not sure they’ll listen anymore, even if I change,” Lindsay answered.

 

“You won’t know if you don’t try. The first step is being truthful with yourself and the reason your life isn’t what you thought it should be. Then tell the people you hurt or betrayed the truth, not what you think will be the easy way out of the problems you made for yourself.” Craig told her, seeing what his children could have been like if he’d been the kind of parent Lindsay’s were.

 

“I wanted their approval,” Lindsay told him, waving at her parents who were quietly arguing with each other in their car. “I told myself I didn’t want to be like them, yet here I am just as selfish as they are.”

 

“What are you going to do to fix it? Because I have a feeling that’s the only thing any of the people in your life will accept at this point. It’s time for you to do the work to fix what you broke.” Craig told her.

 

“I don’t think sorry will work with either Mel or Brian,” Lindsay told him.

 

“Definitely not with Brian. He doesn’t really care about words, just your actions.” Craig told her, smiling at the day he figured out Brian only cared what you showed him, not a few words that didn’t mean more than the time it took to say them.

 

“Which right now isn’t as important as Mel is to me. She deserves the loyalty she’s always shown me and everyone else. She’s always dealt with everything I threw at her and still loved me through it all. Yet, I can’t even tell her the truth… I don’t want to tell her the truth. Everything I did was about my wants and needs.” Lindsay told him.

 

“You’re on the right track. You know the problem, know who should be important, and all that’s left is where you take it from there.” Craig told her, hoping he helped since this was normally Jennifer’s job in their relationship. 

 

“Gus should have been more important than wanting to make my sister jealous.” Lindsay added, not really talking to Craig.

 

“I’m glad you see it because that’s the one area I wasn’t happy about,” Jennifer commented walking over.

 

“I need to get going but thank you for… well, just listening.” Lindsay told them, getting in the car.

 

Lindsay looked at her parents hiding in their car arguing, then to the Taylors who walked arm in arm, still in love with each other. There was still a small part of her that wanted to go and try to help her mother and father, but instead, she started her car and drove to the restaurant where Mel said she be meeting up with friends.

 

Things were still strained between them, but not because Mel wasn’t trying. It was Lindsay not wanting to deal with anything that could be laid at her door and knowing she didn’t deserve Mel still trying. Lindsay took her time driving around, thinking, really thinking about her life and the fact that she wanted her parents approval and selfishly could have hurt her son to get it. It wasn’t a pretty moment to figure out how the only thing her parents really taught her was to be selfish and to step over anyone to get to the top. 

 

It’s the reason Mel didn’t impress them. Mel wasn’t willing to hurt people to get what she wanted. Instead, she worked her ass off and gained what she did because clients trusted her integrity. Mel didn’t name drop with clients or anyone else, she showed them what she was worth and left them to decide if they wanted her. Lindsay wasn’t sure what Mel saw in her. Lindsay wanted people to flock around her, not really ever having real friends because it was all superficial. Mel on the other hand, kept a core group of friends and still had all of them and could depend on them as well as they knew they could depend on her. The worst thing for Lindsay was seeing Brian join the group surrounding Mel. Mel didn’t ask him any questions unless Brian offered them, while Lindsay sat around demanding them like they were her right. And all that caused was Brian pulling further and further away, only bothering with Lindsay because of the son they shared. 

 

Lindsay pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant but didn’t get out of the car. She wasn’t ready to socialize when her mind was a mess. She had a lot of things she needed to fix. First being her relationship with Mel; and Gus needed a mother who only saw him, not Brian. Brian only asked her to be the mother she promised him she’d be. It said a lot that it was all Brian asked, he didn’t treat his contribution as something to hold over Lindsay or Mel, he just wanted Gus to have the life none of them really had. It was Lindsay who saw Gus as an opportunity to keep Brian in her life. She knew he’d make it one day and wanted to know he wouldn’t forget about her. God, how selfish was she really? Brian wasn’t someone who forgot the people he loved, yet she tried to use Gus to ensure her inclusion in his life. Lindsay almost hated when Brian became famous, because it drove them further apart, as the people in his circle didn’t really include her. What did she think would happen, that he’d let her hang around like a groupie? Facing the truth wasn’t fun but she could admit she dreamed of being on his arm at events. It made her see how closely she was starting to resemble Michael. It’s something that really said a lot for her, to be compared to Michael by the way she’d been acting. Not that anyone said it, but she was being honest with herself and couldn’t act like the thoughts weren’t there all the time.

 

Lindsay resented Michael, she resented being the one who sat at home losing her freedom while they all lived a lifestyle she didn’t. No one knew that she was one of Brian’s closest friends, and she resented it. She knew Brian was just trying to protect Gus’ life from the bullshit that came with fame, but she only saw it as Brian forgetting about her. Brian gave her and Mel everything, and yet she wanted more and treated Brian like he owed it to her. Lindsay winced, hating everything that showed her how much she had in common with the man she thought of as an albatross to Brian. And knew for all her denial over the years, she wasn’t any better. Only now Brian wasn’t her first concern, Mel and Gus needed to be in that position. Did she love Mel, or just the idea of Mel? Lindsay thought about it and couldn’t see her life without Mel, yet it was where she was headed if she didn’t value the woman who loved her, warts and all. Lindsay knew it was time to stop trying to deflect what she did with Sam, and really admit why she did it.

 

Sam was her way of punishing Mel for gaining the approval and respect of Brian. She didn’t consciously think ‘this is what you get for winning my best friend’ that day, she was angry and didn’t give a shit how it affected anyone. Brian had called, sounding irritated with her for not just handing the phone to Mel, then hung up when Lindsay specifically asked him to make time to talk to her. Mel tried to explain that Brian was busy and just needed some advice on a contract. Lindsay didn’t care and was angry that he made time for Mel and Gus and not her. So when Sam was willing to argue, she let out all her frustrations on him. Then let him help her pay Mel back for Brian trusting Mel more than her. Which made sense since all she did was cause problems and expect Brian to smooth it out for her. Lindsay shook her head. She lost everything by becoming all the things she hated about her parents. She should get down on her knees and pray Mel didn’t finally get tired of the shit she put up with from her. For once in her life, it was time for her to put the right things first. She got out of the car, and headed into the restaurant, ready to be honest with the woman who loved her. 

 

For a second, Lindsay felt like someone put a knife in her back when she saw Leda and Mel engrossed in conversation. Mel didn’t tell her it was Leda she was meeting, only that she made plans to see a friend. Mel had invited her, but did she do it to make her jealous the way she would have done? It took a moment for Lindsay to stop seeing some hidden agenda, and realize that wasn’t something Mel would do, but something she would do. Lindsay took a breath and walked to the table, noticing there was an extra drink that wasn’t Mel or Leda’s on the table. Mel looked up and for the first time smiled at Lindsay being in the same room.

 

“How’d it go?” Mel asked, as Lindsay sat next to her.

 

“My mother and Lynette are figuring out they have nothing on Jennifer Taylor. I was surprised to see her and Craig at the club.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Brian said they only planned to stay for the wedding, then Jennifer was needed here for an event she was planning.” Mel told her, making Lindsay feel a twinge of anger that Brian informed Mel and not her.

 

“Well that event is turning Lynette’s wedding into the event not to be seen at.” Lindsay smirked, feeling like laughing at how ridiculous it was that Lynette saw her wedding as the event of the season.

 

“Well what does she expect, she’s pretty much a losing horse in the marriage stakes.” Leda joked.

 

“Bell of the ball syndrome,” Mel commented.

 

“Ball and chain syndrome, would sound about right.” Lindsay joked as Mel looked shocked. “It was an enlightening day for me. I realized a lot of things, but the biggest was you and Gus are my priority, the rest is meaningless unless I fix us first.” Lindsay said, hoping Mel would see the sincerity in the statement.

 

“Can we make it about me, Mommy?” Leda asked Lindsay.

 

“Apparently Leda is lost at how to land a chick.” Mel whispered to Lindsay.

 

“Do I have a fever?” Lindsay joked.

 

“Screw you. I just don’t know if she’s well, bi, straight, gay, or anything.” Leda told them.

 

“Who?” Lindsay asked as a woman came toward her table.

 

Lindsay recognized Seira from the articles she looked up when she found out about Drew and Emmett. Only, the smiling serene woman in the pictures wasn’t the upset woman sitting down. Lindsay tipped her head at Seira, and Mel nodded trying not to laugh as Leda glared at them. Seria was tapping on her phone, not looking happy as she got a reply. She finally looked up and saw Lindsay, then put away her phone.

 

“I swear someone should show Bellwether what it feels like to have your life spread out for everyone to see,” Seira told them. 

 

“He’s an ass losing everything, so I wouldn’t worry about it for much longer. Soon the only one who will print him are tabloids where the truth doesn’t matter.” Leda told her, trying to calm her down.

 

“I know, but it hurts Emmett that Drew’s family has to read it,” Seira told them.

 

“The biggest problem is nothing he printed is anything that Emmett hasn’t done. Bellwether doesn’t care that it was long before Emmett was in a relationship with Drew; only that he can verify it as true and not risk a lawsuit.” Mel told her.

 

“How is Emmett doing so far?” Lindsay asked.

 

“I think he’s more worried about Drew’s reputation. He met Drew’s family yesterday, and from what he told me it’s going well.” Seira answered.

 

Mel waited for Lindsay to ask about Brian but she didn’t, instead she asked about Gus. “Is Gus having a good time?” Lindsay asked Mel.

 

“He’s at the beach all day with Brian and Justin. Apparently tonight they plan to have a bonfire with Drew’s family.” Mel answered, waiting for Lindsay’s usual green with envy look.

 

“I hope he has fun.” Was the only thing Lindsay said about the subject before looking at Seira with a plan to help out Leda. “So what are your plans now that you and Drew aren’t beards for each other?” Lindsay asked, wanting to laugh when Mel and Leda both glared at her.

 

“Truthfully I’m just relieved my mother figured out I’m not going to be the person she wants me to be. It’s not like I ever lived for her approval but I did it to make her happy and left me feeling miserable. I love Drew but I want to be in love with someone who loves me the way Emmett loves Drew. But that’s not what you’re asking is it?” Seira asked Lindsay.

 

“I know our circle, and I know loving someone who doesn’t meet with what they expect can be a hard life. It took me until today to realize that my happiness means more to me than the approval I won’t ever get because I love Mel.” Lindsay told her, grasping Mel’s hand.

 

“My problem is that I’m bi, and while my mother has no problem with it, I’m still not sure what I want, but it’s becoming clearer every day lately,” Seira said, smiling at Leda.

 

“I think that’s half of Lindsay’s problem,” Mel told her.

 

“Not anymore, I love you and if anyone has a problem with it, then I don’t need them in my life. It’s time for me to see I only ever needed your approval, and that we show our son that life is about what makes us happy.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Can you do that?” Mel asked her, forgetting everything but her hope that Lindsay was finally starting to see what her family did to her.

 

“It’s not going to be overnight but I’m working on seeing the good things I have, not the shitty things I never did. I was hoping maybe you and I could talk, really talk and maybe figure out a way to be happy with our lives. Do you think Brian and Justin will keep Gus a little longer until we… I, can be the kind of mother I promised?” Lindsay asked her.

 

“It would be better for him since Corey will make sure Michael and Collier stay away from all of them,” Mel told her.

 

“Which is what I wanted to talk about with you.” Leda said, butting in.

 

Mel looked at Lindsay like she wanted to apologize that once again her job was getting in the way. Lindsay surprised her by turning to talk to Seira, but still holding her hand.

 

“We can get to know each other at the bar while they talk business and forget us.” Lindsay joked, getting up and walking off with Seira.

 

“That must have been some afternoon for her,” Leda told Mel, watching the two beautiful blondes walk away with admiring eyes watching them.

 

“What did you want to tell me?” Mel asked, not wanting to talk about Lindsay with Leda.

 

“A few things. But as for the whole Collier and Michael thing, I think Brandon is trying to figure out what is going on with the two of them. The launching into Pittsburgh society didn’t get the two of them anywhere since they got on the wrong side of the Taylors, and Mary Hartline can’t buy them off. So instead, she’s willing to make sure Collier can’t continue to chase after Justin using his trust fund. Which means, from what I can gather, Michael was supporting them.” Leda told her.

 

“Which won’t last long since he never saved much, depending on Brian and Emmett to support him. When he lost his job, he was left to live off what he had with no possibility that Brian or Emmett would continue to feel guilty and help him. Michael was poor when he was fired but the money wasn’t going to last long if he did his usual and spent like he had an endless loan at the bank of Dark Angel.” Mel told her.

 

“Right, and while editors are being careful with Brian and Justin’s stories, they’d be willing to pay to run anything they could verify. It’s why Howie is still in print, because he is willing to source the people talking about Emmett and his wild ways of the past. Only, people want stories about the romance of the century that was kept from them. I think Brandon sees Michael and Collier as a way he can get a scoop. Which means if the story is good enough he can also pay the people for that story.” Leda tells her.

 

“Yeah, but the only thing he’d get was the two stalkers points of view.” Mel pointed out.

 

“Which would sell, and help keep Michael and Collier going, since the Hartlines aren’t going to support them. The only thing Mary is willing to do is to make sure Collier has a place to live for now. One that keeps him away from the rest of the Hartlines.” Leda told her.

 

“So she’s trying to distance the rest of the family from Collier’s mess while making it seem like she’s doing what it takes to appease the Taylors?” Mel asked.

 

“Pretty much. They raised a monster by giving him privilege and no responsibility. Now, instead of dealing with it, they’re distancing themselves. Mary agreed to therapy for no other reason than hoping Collier becomes someone else's problem. Half the problem is that Collier’s grandfather indulged Collier until he died. Like a lot of the older rich set, he believed if the Hartlines want something everyone should bow down and give it to them, and Collier lives by it. Only now he doesn’t have his grandfather forcing his family to clean up after him like they did the first time.” Leda told her.

 

“The first time? So Justin isn’t his first obsession?” Mel asked.

 

“No. It was a tutor that Collier harassed when the man didn’t return the feelings he had for him. Collier did a stint in a country club mental ward, and was released when he convinced the doctors he wasn’t going to bother the teacher anymore.” Leda told Mel.

 

“Did he go after the guy?” Mel asked.

 

“No. Instead he found a new muse for his obsession. Only he learned from the last time and just found ways to be around without doing anything that would land him back in therapy. I’m sure he’s finding out that Alex isn’t going to be as easily fooled as the others. But Collier wants access to the money, so unless someone gives him a better offer he’ll do what his mother tells him, which give Brandon an opening.” Leda told her.

 

“We can’t stop Brandon if he goes after the article,” Mel commented.

 

“No, but I at least wanted you warned if Brandon manages to find an article by using Michael and Collier,” Leda told her.

 

“I’ll let my clients know, and if you have a chance, tell Brandon to tread very carefully. Associations with Collier and Michael aren’t going to end well for the idiot who gets involved with them.” Mel told her.

 

“He needs to figure out what is worth a byline and what isn’t. It’s why I won’t do articles unless all parties involved know what I write. Brandon will tell them what they want to hear while slaughtering them or sensationalizing it. Which leads me to asking a favor.” Leda commented.

 

“Which is?” Mel asked, knowing she’d do it because Leda needed her too.

 

“Bellwether is really pissing Seira off, and while yes, he’s printing the truth, he’s also doing it in a way that blurs the truth enough to hurt Drew’s reputation. I wanted to see if Emmett would be willing to talk to me and we can dispel some of the crap Bellwether mentioned.” Leda asked her.

 

“I don’t think she’s waiting for you to fix her problems,” Mel told her.

 

“I like Emmett, and really, who doesn’t want to be the hero for someone in their lives?” Leda asked her.

 

“I’ll talk to Emmett, since it would help him too. Let me know if I need to worry about Brandon.” Mel said getting up.

 

“I thought we’d eat before you go,” Leda told her as she followed her to Lindsay and Seira.

 

“We can do it later. Right now I want to see if Lindsay and I can save our marriage.” Mel answered.

 

 

Chapter 24 by starlight

Emmett was really enjoying spending time with Becca and Will. They were the kind of parents Emmett used to pretend were his. They had talked to Drew and weren’t angry, just concerned about him. They reminded him a few times that their love wasn’t conditional and their support would never be in question. Then they explained to Emmett so he’d understand that even if they hadn’t liked him, they would have supported anyone Drew loved, but were already happy with the changes they saw when he was with Emmett. Becca also let Emmett know that now he was part of their family and he was included in their support for loving Drew. Becca was actually extremely angry about Bellwether’s campaign to smear Emmett and wanted to know why it was all about Emmett and not Brian.

 

“Brian might have been wild but for the most part he tried to stay out of the spotlight because of his son. I didn’t have anyone who would care what I did. I didn’t think about how my life would look in print. It’s just that in the past it fed into the rockstar image and it couldn’t hurt anyone since I really only had Brian and Ted to worry about. I’m more upset about how it affects Drew’s image.” Emmett told her.

 

“None of the articles even hint at some of the wilder things that are out there, and there isn’t anything you did that was worse than any other person who was single and carefree.” Becca told him.

 

“I never really saw the reason to do drugs, and drinking meant dying the next day when we needed to work. Brian dabbled for a while but we watched another guy go down that road and what it did to not just his band but everyone who worked for them. Brian and I agreed it wasn’t something either of us wanted. It never made much sense to me to get everything you dreamed of only to lose it, and we also didn’t want Ted to have to deal with more than what he already did for us.” Emmett told her.

 

“Drew told us you and Brian put a lot of trust in Ted.” Becca told him.

 

“Brian and I both sort of feel like shit that we kept our personal lives a secret from him. Not that he even got upset over it. He just dropped everything and once again was there for both of us. I’m just glad I don’t have to deal with the crazy the way Brian and Justin are having to live right now.” Emmett told her.

 

“What would you call Bellwether?” Becca asked, smiling as she watched her husband direct her sons setting up for the bonfire.

 

“Nothing new in my world. He isn’t doing anything any other sleazy reporter wouldn’t do. He’s just aiming it at me, since he screwed up listening to an ex-employee of ours with Brian and Justin.  Bellwether was smarter this time, since everything he printed about me was the truth at the time it happened. And while I hope our real fans aren’t taken in by the bullshit he prints, I think part of the problem is that Brian and I have been silent beyond the first articles. I have an interview planned when I get back, so we’ll see how it goes.” Emmett told her.

 

“If you wouldn’t mind, Will and I would love to be there for it. I want to make sure the article includes that Will and I support you too.” Becca told him.

 

*********************************************

 

Brian decided to go ahead and talk to Mel about what they’d need to do to get started in finding a surrogate. Brian wanted to do it now since he’d be busy working with Ted when they got back to Pittsburgh. If they could get everything started, then he could also work it out so he could be off to help Justin with the baby and do the things he missed with Gus, being on the road. Justin and Molly sat with Brian as he made the call, putting it on speaker so they could answer anything Mel needed them to.

 

“Are you sure this is the way you want to go?” Mel asked Brian.

 

“We have sperm and egg, all that’s left is where to put it.” Brian joked.

 

“Does Molly really understand what she’s offering you. I’m not trying to tell you it’s a bad idea, it’s just she’s young and making a decision that she could regret later.” Mel pointed out.

 

“It’s not something I said yes to just because Brian and Justin wanted a child. I said yes because while I love kids, I really love my freedom more. If I decide later that I want kids of my own, I’ll still be able to have them.” Molly told her.

 

“I need to make sure you understand this child will be Brian and Justin’s when it’s born, and I’ll be asking you to sign away any rights to the child or children. You won’t be the baby’s mother if you regret your decision later in life.” Mel explained to her.

 

“I won’t because I’ll always be Aunt Molly, and that’s enough for me. I understand that I might one day change my mind and decide children are worth giving up my freedom for, and if that happens I want a child with the person who I share my life with, not with my brother-in-law. I didn’t offer just because Justin told me they were talking about having a child, it was something I’ve thought about since Brian and Justin got married. I wanted to help them have a child that was part of both of them, so I waited until Justin brought it up to offer what I’d already thought about and decided to do if given the chance. We can sign everything as soon as you want us to, that’s how sure I am about it. We can even make Brian and Justin the owners of all the eggs I donate in case they want more kids.” Molly told her.

 

“Are you sure you don’t have any questions about it?” Mel asked.

 

“I’m sure. I have an appointment with my doctor for a check-up. After I get through I am going to talk to him about what the next step is, and from there I’d get with Brian and Justin to mix up our babymakers.” Molly said, giggling as Justin hugged her.

 

“One other thing before we go.” Brian interrupted. “Is there a way that the surrogate doesn’t have to know that Justin and I are going to be the fathers?”

 

“If you want it that way, it can be done. It’s probably better if you do it that way with everything else going on. I can hire someone to go to the appointments with her and report back to you if you guys what me to.” Mel answered, understanding why Brian would want to do it that way.

 

“I just don’t want to deal with it somehow getting leaked that Justin and I are having a baby.” Brian told her.

 

“It wouldn’t help with the Michael/Collier situation, which we need to talk about.” Mel told him.

 

“If you’re done with me, I can take Gus over to Emmett’s.” Molly offered, to give them privacy.

 

Brian and Justin waited until Molly and Gus were out the door before telling Mel to go ahead.

 

“How did the counseling go?” Brian asked first.

 

“Pretty much as expected, but they’re only doing it to keep with the agreement Collier’s mother made with Deb and Jennifer. Alex can’t tell us specifics due to patient/doctor confidentiality, but the feeling I got was neither of them were convincing anyone they are a couple. Leda got some information that worries me. Collier’s done this before with a tutor, but at the time his grandfather was still around to keep Collier in line. The parents are more interested in distancing themselves from Collier. So they won’t be any real help if he goes off the rails.” Mel told them.

 

“What about Michael?” Justin asked.

 

“Michael’s predictable in a way Collier isn’t, which is why I’m not as worried about Michael.” Brian told him.

 

“Brian’s right, Michael is the kind of guy who doesn’t think anything through. Collier seems to know how to stay on the right side of the law. Nothing he’s done so far is anything we can do anything about. So far all he’s accomplished is ruining Lynette’s wedding and the Peterson’s standing at the club. My only concern is that eventually he might escalate, and we need to make sure Justin’s out of reach for him.” Mel told them.

 

“I’m not going to do anything but what Corey tells me to.” Justin assured her.

 

“One other thing. Brandon is trying to get the scoop about Michael and Collier. If he can convince his editor to run it he can also offer them money for an exclusive. The only thing that worries me about it is that right now Collier’s family is keeping him on a budget, but depending on how much the paper values the story it could mean another way for them to get more money. I can’t stop Collier, but Michael is still under the NDA, so he risks a lawsuit if he talks about Brian or Emmett and gets paid for it.” Mel told them.

 

“Anything else?” Brian asked.

 

“Lindsay and I were going to ask if you could keep Gus until we work out our problems.” Mel asked him.

 

“Even though Justin and I could put him danger?” Brian asked sarcastically.

 

“She knows better now.” Mel answered.

 

“You mean right now she’s saying the right things.” Brian countered.

 

“If that’s what you want to believe, I can understand why you do. I’m still dealing with her reasoning for why she cheated on me.” Mel told him.

 

“Whatever you decide to do, I’ll support YOU.” Brian told her.

 

“Thank you for always supporting me. I’ll call you if you need to know anything.” Mel told him, hanging up.

 

******************************************

 

Justin sat with Gus, as Brian, Emmett, Ben, and Blake took turns singing for everyone. Nell knew all the words to every song and hummed along with them. Drew’s brother and Molly were collecting shells to show Nell, who’d made Brian a necklace out of a sand dollar, which apparently was her way of showing she liked someone. Emmett commented that Nell was still looking for his shell, and told them about Nell. 

 

Justin liked Drew’s parents, wishing his parents had stuck around to meet them, but they were planning to come back with them once they returned to Pittsburgh, to show support for Drew and Emmett. 

 

It took a while before Nell seemed comfortable enough to approach Justin and Gus, but when she did it was more about Gus. Becca came over and sat with them as Gus slid off Justin’s lap to look at the shells she had.

 

“She loves children.” Becca smiled.

 

“Gus loves pretty much anyone.” Justin told her. 

 

“I just wanted to thank everyone for not acting any different than normal. It’s hard sometimes to have to watch the way people react to her.” Becca told him.

 

“Then they aren’t seeing her. Which means they aren’t going to meet one of the best people we know. People underestimate her and look like idiots because she’s proven over and over again she’s more than anyone thinks someone with autism can be.” Drew commented, sitting next to her.

 

“What she did with the necklace she gave Brian was impressive. Does she sell her work?” Justin asked, since it was good.

 

“The designs, but not the actual ones she makes. Those she only gives to people who are special to her. I wanted to make sure she had a way of supporting herself, not that any of us wouldn’t do it, but I refused to treat her like a child who couldn’t do anything.” Becca told him.

 

“I’d love to see the other things she’s made.” Justin told her.

 

“I keep a book with each one I could show you.” Becca told him.

 

“He can see my case.” Nell told them, keeping her attention on Gus.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t want me to, I know how artists feel about their work.” Justin told her.

 

“I just find homes for my shells.” Nell told him, following Gus as he walked over to his dad.

 

Justin watched as Nell kept Gus from getting too close to the fire, and how when they got closer to Brian she stayed closer to Emmett but was smiling that Brian was wearing her necklace. Gus sat on Brian’s lap, thrilled when his dad picked up the guitar and started showing him how to play. Emmett offered to show Nell, which made Becca smile.

 

“She responded to Emmett almost as soon as they met.” Becca told him.

 

“Emmett naturally draws people to him. I know when Brian introduced us, he made sure I knew he was there if I needed him.” Justin told her.

 

“I couldn’t take my eyes off him the first time he breezed through a room.” Drew told them.

 

“He makes your heart sing son, it’s what happens when you meet the right person. Your father still does that for me.” Becca told him.

 

“It’s the same with my parents, who hopefully you’ll meet soon.” Justin told her.

 

“I plan to, since it sounds like they’re doing something I agree with.” Becca told him.

 

“Emmett told her about your mom planning the benefit.” Drew told him.

 

“She just wants to make sure people who cause us problems know my family supports us.” Justin told them.

 

“While making Lindsay’s parents regret using Gus and trying to use you and Brian. I have to say I like the way the woman thinks and plan to have her help with that Bellwether.” Becca told them.

 

“Mom, we can handle it.” Drew protested.

 

“I know you can, but I’m tired of the way he makes Emmett sound. Emmett shouldn’t have to feel guilty about having done what any single person would do. Bellwether isn’t trying to voice concerns, just shame Emmett for living his life as a proud gay man.” Becca ranted.

 

“It’s nothing we don’t face with others within our community, he just does it in print.” Justin told her.

 

“He’s messing with mine, and that isn’t something I take lightly.” Becca commented.

 

“You and my mother are going to love each other.” Justin laughed.

 

Molly came with a bucket to sort shells with Nell, while everyone started eating. The night ended with Blake singing to Ted who tried not to look embarrassed at the attention focus on him. Everyone sat around talking about plans for the next couple of months, with Brian and Justin keeping their news to themselves. Brian was going to tell Emmett and Ted when they got back, but for now it was just something he wanted to keep in his family. 

 

 

 

Chapter 25 by starlight

Brian looked out the window of the plane as they were leaving the quiet to go home. He and Emmett were sitting together playing with a song they were working on. Corey was reading a book since they were all safe and he could stand down until they landed. Justin was thrilled when Nell offered to let him see her work. All in all they were all relaxed for the first time. After discussing it with everyone else they all decided to buy the island together. It would give them the privacy the rest of the world wasn’t willing to give them. Brian looked over to Ted, who for the first time wasn’t on his phone or dealing with a fire that needed to be put out. The circles under his eyes were gone. In their place was a look Brian knew well, Ted was at peace and Blake had a lot to do with it. It’s how Brian knew Justin was the one he wanted to spend his life with, Justin gave him peace. Now it was time for Brian to make sure Justin had the same things. 

 

Mel called to let Brian know she found someone to carry the child and had agreed to the terms of no contact with him and Justin. Brian didn’t ask for a name or information because he trusted Mel. They might not have liked each other in the beginning but over time they forged a bond outside of Lindsay. Lindsay… Brian wasn’t sure what to think about her sudden change. Was this some new bullshit or was she really starting to realize what she’d been becoming? Brian wasn’t sure, but hoped for Gus’ sake it was true. Brian wasn’t kidding when he told Lindsay he would support Mel over her, but it wasn’t in any attempt to force Lindsay to deal with her shit. It was for Gus. Brian didn’t want Gus raised by someone who took advantage of his connection to his son. It’s why Justin was different from the beginning. Justin didn’t care who Brian was and never wanted to take advantage of his relationship with him for any reason. 

 

It’s why he couldn’t understand Lindsay. They had both been raised in powerful families. Brian knew that even if Justin’s family hadn’t supported him, he wouldn’t have done the kind of things Lindsay did in hopes of getting their support or approval. It’s something Brian never liked about Lindsay, she needed other people’s acceptance in order to validate herself. It was something Brian learned after he was famous, that some people weren’t worth the pain they inflicted on you. 

 

It was the one time Deb disappointed him, but also made him proud. Deb fell for his mother and sister pretending they wanted to reconcile with him. She invited his mother and Claire over to dinner when Brian and Emmett were in town. Brian wasn’t thrilled to walk in to see his mother and sister sitting at the table. They were polite through the whole dinner, and for a minute Brian wanted to believe they could try to be a family. It was also the day he started seeing Michael for the selfish asshole he was, and it also popped any bubble of hope he had that his mother and Claire wanted anything but for Brian to give them the life they felt he owed them. It made Brian really see Michael for the first time. It also made him wonder if he had befriended Michael because he was just like his family. Michael interrupted every conversation to make sure he got credit for everything in Brian’s life. Hell, Michael claimed everything short of giving birth to Brian as a reason he should be credited for anything good in Brian’s world. Which led to Brian’s mother pointing out that without the Novotny’s in his life he wouldn’t have gone down the path of sin. Claire sat there getting angry at all the things Michael raved about before she exploded and told Brian she was tired of him thinking Deb and Michael were better than her and their mother. 

 

Deb mouthed a silent apology to Brian, then got up and banged her fist on the table to get everyone’s attention. She ordered Joan and Claire out of her house, saying that disrespecting Brian was not tolerated in her house. She then told Michael he could follow them since he was ungrateful for all the things that Brian did for him. She slapped him on the head and asked him where he got off thinking Brian didn’t earn everything he got. Michael of course spouted off about how he was the one who started the band. Which only had Deb ask if that was going to be the excuse for Michael’s failures for the rest of his life. Brian could have told her that nothing she said to Michael, Claire, or his mother mattered to them, but Deb being Deb had to try. After that night Brian blocked any contact with Claire and his mother and no longer saw Michael as anything more than another employee. Although he could thank them all since weeks later he met Justin and found out that not everyone was after a piece of his fame.

 

“What are you thinking?” Emmett asked, smiling at Justin and Nell looking through her jewelry.

 

“That we both need to deal with the assholes who think fucking with our partners doesn’t have consequences.” Brian told him.

 

“I shouldn’t have let Bellwether’s bullshit go unanswered for as long as I have. I plan to make sure Bellwether has to start answering for his life too.” Emmett told him.

 

“Whatever you two do make sure I know about it before you do it,” Corey tells them, putting down his book.

 

“I want it so we can do something about Collier. I know what all of you are saying, that the bastard hasn’t done anything we can get him for. I don’t see it that way since in order to just live our lives we ended up on an island. While I like you, Corey, having you live with Justin and me isn’t how I want to spend the rest of our lives.” Brian told him.

 

“Even if Corey finds a way to deal with Collier, it doesn’t change that we’ll always need security.” Justin reminded Brian, sitting down.

 

“I could quit now, if it means not dealing with the shit that comes with my life.” Brian told Justin.

 

“Which wouldn’t change anything, since your fans will live on,” Justin commented.

 

“We’re not talking about fans.” Brian reminded Justin.

 

“I just don’t want Collier or Michael to feel like they’ve won.” Justin told him.

 

“Why would they think they’ve won?” Emmett asked.

 

“They’re doing whatever they want, and in the end that controls what we can do. Before you say anything, I’m not suggesting we do anything that would put us in a dangerous situation. Instead, I’m just saying that we don’t stop our lives for them.” Justin told him.

 

“We haven’t let it stop us from things we wanted.” Brian reminded him.

 

“Other than we have to leave our home if we want to do anything. I know we don’t normally parade ourselves out in public, and I don’t even want that, but what happens if a year from now Collier is still out there? I don’t want anyone to control our lives, and it feels like he is because he’s smart enough to skirt around anything that can get him into trouble.” Justin told him. 

 

“The only way to get him would be to make him want to come after you, Justin. If we went that route then there’s no telling what he would do.” Corey told him.

 

“We aren’t going to do anything that could have him willing to hurt everyone to get to me.” Justin told him.

 

“I won’t let you do anything that could have him near you either.” Brian told Justin.

 

“I have a suggestion.” Ted said, coming over.

 

“If it will get Collier away from us, we’re all ears.” Justin told him.

 

“Emmett is doing an interview with Leda. Why not let her do it at your house? We can allow her to do a photo spread with you and Brian, giving your fans a look into your home life. I know you don’t want your private life out there, but we can limit what she can show, she’ll work with us.” Ted told them.

 

“How do you see that helping?” Corey asked.

 

“Because no one is going to miss how connected Brian and Justin are to each other. In the interview with Brandon they only read what was said, but seeing the two of them in pictures you can’t miss the… electricity, between them. Michael and Collier can’t see what obvious to us, because Justin and Brian didn’t want their relationship being part of their public lives.” Ted told them.

 

“Why would it change anything if the public sees it?” Brian asked.

 

“Because Ted’s right, you can’t miss that you two love each other when your together. Collier and Michael are still able to convince themselves what they believe is the truth. As long as they have their delusions, Collier doesn’t do anything that could land him in trouble.” Corey told them.

 

 “What happens when he figures out Justin wants me?” Brian asked.

 

“He won’t care what he has to do to get to Justin. And I’ll be there to stop anything before he goes too far.” Corey told him.

 

***************************************************

 

Collier sat in the car with Michael, staring at the house that was surrounded by reporters. He’d been unhappy with Michael talking with Brandon, but Brandon offered them the address to the house no one had been able to find. Collier didn’t like Brandon’s questions but put up with him because he’d been useful. Collier hated everything about the house. Justin buying a house here didn’t make sense when it was far away from everything that was Justin’s life. Justin belonged with the elite, not with some rockstar who’s background wasn’t on par with Justin’s. 

 

It didn’t make any sense that Justin would tie himself to someone who didn’t fit into the world they were raised in. Collier could admit that Brian was attractive, but to lower himself to marry someone like Brian was one thing Collier could say made him think less of Justin. Collier shook off the thought, not liking the idea of Justin being less than the perfect man for him. Collier saw Brian as a minor distraction for Justin. Eventually, Justin would understand that Collier loved him the way no one else could. He started the car to leave for his next appointment with Alex. Michael refused to talk to Alex after he told him that he was there to help Michael, not feed into his delusions about Brian. Unfortunately, Collier didn’t have a choice since the money from his trust stopped if Alex didn’t report he showed up for his appointments. He’d dropped Michael off at the apartment they were renting, reminding him not to answer anything unless Brandon could give them more information on Brian and Justin.

 

Alex was waiting as Collier came in and took him straight into his office. Collier didn’t even bother to pretend he and Michael were anything more than two people who wanted the same thing. Alex saw right through it and pretty much told Collier he wanted to work on his unhealthy obsession with Justin. Alex didn’t understand why Collier knew Justin was the one for him. But then he didn’t know the Justin that Collier knew. 

 

“Is there something you need to tell me?” Alex asked.

 

“Like what?” Collier asked.

 

“What you were doing at Brian and Justin’s home?” Alex asked.

 

“How do you know?” Collier asked.

 

“Part of my agreement to work with you was also that your family agreed to inform me if you did anything that was counterproductive to the reason you're seeing me,” Alex told him.

 

“So they have someone watching me?” Collier asked, getting angry.

 

“Not that I know of, but the security team that watches Brian and Justin informed me they spotted you among the reporters that Michael tipped off to the location of the house,” Alex told him.

 

“Michael wanted to go, so we went. It’s not like we were the only ones there looking around.” Collier brushed off.

 

“But you’re the one here with me trying to get you to see that what your doing isn’t going to end with you getting what you want. Justin isn’t going to suddenly decide he should have wanted you because it’s what you want. No matter how angry that makes you to hear me say it, it doesn’t change the reality of the situation. Which is that you need help to get you back to the real world and not one where you believe Justin wants something from someone he doesn’t seem to know.” Alex told him.

 

“He knows me. I’ve been around him throughout his whole career.” Collier told him.

 

“As one of the crowd, not anyone close to him.” Alex told him.

 

“I wasn’t like the rest of them. They only wanted him so they could feel important.” Collier said wanting Alex to see the difference.

 

“You wanted him to see YOU as important,” Alex commented.

 

“Which he would have if it wasn’t for the other idiots surrounding him. He should know that no one could love him the way I do. I understand the world he comes from and I sure as hell wouldn’t embarrass him with my past. He shouldn’t want some low born whore when he could be with someone who grew up in his world. Brian couldn’t begin to understand what being from the right family means to us.” Collier told him.

 

“I want to help you, but you aren’t willing to see that what your doing is unhealthy,” Alex told him.

 

“What does that mean?” Collier asked.

 

“I’m only willing to help people who are willing to see they have a problem. In the few sessions we’ve had, we both know you only came to keep your parents from cutting you off. Whether you believe it or not, I want you to get better and to find a way towards a healthy life. So as to what it means, I don’t see any reason to continue unless you’re willing to see that your obsession with Justin is just that, your obsession.” Alex told him.

 

“I love him. It’s not what your trying to make it into.” Collier told him.

 

“Collier, he doesn’t love you. In fact, he didn’t even know who you were when they told him it was you who was stalking him.” Alex told him.

 

“I wasn’t stalking him, we were just in the same places at the same time.” Collier said, not liking the implication.

 

“The definition of stalking describes everything you’ve been doing with Justin. He doesn’t want your attention, or you, for that matter.” Alex told him.

 

Collier wanted to smash Alex’s head in with the fucking name plate on his desk. Only he’d knew better than to do anything that could convince his parents to send him back to the last prison they locked him up in. “I just wanted someone who loved me.” Collier told him.

 

“Everyone wants that Collier, but you can’t make someone love you when they don’t,” Alex told him.

 

“I need help.” Collier said, watching to see if Alex fell for it.

 

“I’ll suggest to your mother that she look for someone outside of Pittsburgh, and hope they can see through what you do to get your way,” Alex told him, unwilling to fall for it.

 

“She’ll do what she’s done her entire life, let me do what I want.” Collier assured him, getting up and leaving.

 

Alex blew out a breath and made the call that would cut off any money Collier expected from his family. He wanted to help, but Collier was beyond what Alex felt he could do. 


Chapter 26 by starlight

Leda decided to do this interview differently. This time she didn’t sit them down and ask questions. They’d been shouted enough questions since coming home. She wanted them to relax since part of the idea was to take pictures of them without posing them. She understood what Ted was asking of her, and it came through in almost every picture she took. It wasn’t just Brian and Justin, it was all the men in the room. Although with Brian and Justin it was more natural since they’d been together longer. Emmett was thrilled when she suggested the interview be less formal, and more like old friends. 

 

Leda observed the guys as they were relaxing and somehow managing to ignore the circus outside the house. She’d seen the bullshit that met them when they returned from their vacation. They’d been lucky in that no one knew they’d flown in, but that luck ran out when they’d driven to the house. It took security to get them through the gates at the house, and it left her thankful that she could never be like the bloodsuckers sitting outside the gate. Even though she was invited into their private domain, she wasn’t happy that one of her fellow journalists had taken it upon himself to make them prisoners in their homes. 

 

Mel had shown up to see Brian, and after emerging from the meeting took off with Molly, without doing more than hugging the rest of the guys before leaving, silent about what she had come there for. Leda could see everyone was curious but didn’t question Brian or Justin about why Mel had been here. Likely assuming as she did that it was about Lindsay. Leda wasn’t a fan of Lindsay, but she could say so far it looked like Lindsay was really seeing her problems were of her own making because of jealousy. It impressed Leda that Lindsay wasn’t asking anyone to help her smooth her path with Brian, saying if he stayed angry at her, she deserved it and more for not being the friend he’d been to her all their lives. 

 

Now sitting at the table while Drew’s mother and Emmett were making lunch, Leda started taking photos for the article she was going to write. She planned to talk to Corey later and tell him about Brandon being the one who had caused the crap outside the gate. Shaking her head she lined up a shot of the whole room, pausing a second when she noticed that over in the corner Brian and Justin were looking at each other as if no one else was in the room with them. Even with Ted giving her permission to photograph all the guys, she felt like she was recording private moments Brian and Justin shouldn’t have to give up just because Brian was famous. 

 

“It’s like they don’t even notice anyone but themselves,” Blake said, standing next to Leda.

 

“I can’t imagine what it must be like for all of you, everyone wanting to know things they wouldn’t want people to see about themselves,” Leda told him.

 

“It’s the cost of what we do,” Emmett shrugged.

 

“And who are you guys to complain when it made you rich?” Leda said sarcastically, rolling her eyes at something most people would say about their situation.

 

“I don’t understand why their private life should be anyone’s business. I for one would love for Bellwether to have someone pull apart his life and print everything he’s ever done. I doubt he’d look any better than Emmett does in the crap he prints about Emmett's life before my son,” Will, Drew’s dad, told them.

 

“I just don’t get why he’s targeting Emmett,” Becca added.

 

“Because he thinks Emmett’s the one who outed ‘Mr. Social Conscious’.” Ted told her.

 

“I didn’t. He seems to forget the forty other men in the room that night. Part of the reason he blames me because I brought Michael, who pretty much told everyone he saw that Bellwether was at the party and what he was doing,” Emmett told them.

 

“Explain that,” Drew asked Emmett.

 

“Yes, please. I don’t remember that,” Brian said, looking at Ted and Emmett.

 

“You were busy getting married that weekend, so I’d volunteered to deal with Michael for you,” Emmett told him.

 

“Which meant I was volunteered to suffer along with Emmett, which I now forgive him for since he did it for you,” Ted teased.

 

“Anyway… we were sort of at loose ends when a guy whispered about a private party. I didn’t ask since it was something to do other than sitting in the diner listening to Michael whine about how Brian should have included him in anything he planned to do. We got there, walked around and figured out what the party really was, then left after Michael practically shouted what was obviously going on like a tattle-tailing toddler. Bellwether acted like ME being there was the reason he lost the people who used to live by his words. It didn’t matter that he was a hypocrite, just that he was caught being one,” Emmett told them, snickering at the memory.

 

“Yeah, he was all about how ‘morally upstanding’ he was,” Leda said, snapping pictures.

 

“In his books, he is, but that’s where it ends,” Ted commented.

 

“So this attack on you is because he blames you for his actions or Michael for opening his mouth?” Leda asked.

 

“The party was by invitation only, which means normally Michael wouldn’t have been invited. I brought him, so as far as Bellwether was concerned I fucked up his life. It would have been someone else's fault if it wasn’t mine. It’s what Bellwether and Michael have in common, blaming everyone else for what they did,” Emmett told them.

 

“I get that from him too, but why leave Brian alone and not you? I ask only because he could print the truth about Brian’s life before and there’s nothing he could sue him over,” Leda said, knowing there were always ways to work around anything.

 

“It’s not that I care how it affects me, and there isn’t really anything he could print about Brian that would hurt either his or Justin’s careers. By printing the shit he does about me, it could change the way Drew’s team accepts him after hearing the kind of person I was when I was younger and single,” Emmett explained to her.

 

“If my teammates choose to form an opinion about you without getting to know you than they aren’t the people I thought they were,” Drew told him.

 

“Well said,” Becca commented.

 

“He’s picking and choosing some of the worst examples of my wilder days. I should have listened when Brian told me to be careful since we were no longer just two guys from Pittsburgh,” Emmett said, thinking now that what Brian said made sense.

 

“I’ll remind you again, you were young, single, and at the top of your career. Nothing you did should have any effect on your life now,” Becca told him.

 

“If Deb were here she’d say the same thing, granted with a few saucy words mixed in.” Ted teased, to get Emmett to smile.

 

“Hopefully she isn’t dealing with more crap from Michael,” Emmett said, knowing he needed to call and check on her.

 

“We could go, since everywhere you go means having to plan it out,” Will told them.

 

“Thanks Will, I just don’t want her to feel left out,” Emmett said, smiling at him.

 

“How are you two feeling now that Drew is out?” Leda asked.

 

“Just as happy as I’d be if he’d married Siera, because he loved her the way he loves Emmett. I don’t care who my children marry just that they love the person they marry. What I’m not happy about is people sitting in judgement as if they have nothing in their lives that shows them as less than stellar. Emmett’s past doesn’t matter to me or Will, it’s that he’ll love our son,” Becca told her.

 

“It’s what has me willing to talk to you right now. Bellwether wants to write things not caring what it does to me or my family. Since that’s the way he wants to be I don’t have a problem with making sure anything I know about his life is an open book, the way he wants to make my life,” Emmett told her.

 

“Anything you want to add?” Leda asked Brian and Justin.

 

“I feel exactly the same way about my marriage to Justin as Emmett does about his life,” Brian told her, kissing Justin.

 

****************************************

 

Lindsay felt like she was finally finding a life outside of all the things she deemed important. She missed Gus, but she also figured out that part of the reason she got jealous of everything Brian had was that unlike Brian and Mel, she’d never succeeded at anything she did. Which wasn’t their fault but hers for giving up every time. That was her in a nutshell; if it got hard, Lindsay Peterson gave up. Hell, if she hadn’t gotten pregnant the first time, she’d have likely have given up that too. She’d spent years trying to win the approval of her parents. Letting go of more important things that she could have spent years trying to own and been happy with, versus the approval that she’d never get.

 

Lindsay was on her way to meet with Jen and Deb, who had invited her to help them with the benefit that was turning Lynette's wedding into the event not to attend. Only, Lindsay wasn’t doing it to screw with her sister but because they weren’t asking her for any reason other than to spend time with her. Jen made the effort, telling Lindsay that Gus needed to know his mother was part of the rest of the family. Lindsay knew Brian was still wary of her motives, but she would prove to him she was changing and let him decide if she was worth trying to find a way back to them being friends again. Lindsay stopped when she heard Jen talking on the phone, and for a minute started to feel the walls closing in on her.

 

“Molly, Dad and I are both proud that you want to give Brian and Justin a child. I know we were hesitant, but it’s only because we wanted to make sure you were doing it for the right reasons,” Jen said, smiling until she realized Lindsay had heard her. “I have to go Sweetheart.”

 

“Are you okay?” Jen said, coming over where Lindsay was standing looking pale.

 

“They’re having a baby?” Lindsay asked.

 

Jen blew out a breath, knowing she’d fucked up, since they hadn’t wanted anyone to know.

 

“Is that a problem?” Jen asked, since she couldn’t go back and change that Lindsay knew.

 

“I guess it’s just a shock, but a good one,” Lindsay assured her.

 

“It doesn’t mean Gus means any less to them. They just want a child that they don’t have to share with anyone,” Jen told her.

 

“Brian’s a great father, and Justin’s been wonderful to Gus, so it makes sense they want to do it again,” Lindsay told her, not willing to act like a jealous bitch.

 

“You’re also a great mother, and Gus is lucky to be raised by both you and Mel,” Jen told her, putting her arm around her. “I just need you to promise me that until they tell everyone that you keep it a secret for them.” 

 

“Does Mel know?” Lindsay asked.

 

“She’s Brian’s lawyer, so yes, she does,” Jen told her, ready to defend Mel if Lindsay got angry.

 

“It’s just, I don’t have a problem not telling anyone else, but I don’t want her to find out I knew and didn’t tell her,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Just don’t be angry if she can’t tell you what she knows,” Jen told her.

 

“It’s probably killing her to have to keep all Brian’s secrets,” Lindsay laughed, following Jen in.

 

Lindsay’s good mood stayed the rest of the day, and she decided to make dinner for Mel since they would still be Gus free for the night. She hummed while wandering around the store, picking up what she needed, liking the fact she was able to let go of the sting she first felt at hearing Brian was planning to have another child, while she and Mel were putting it on hold. Lindsay knew she needed to work on being the kind of mother Gus needed before trying to bring another child into their lives. She and Mel needed to work on their marriage too, so in the end, waiting wasn’t wrong for them.

 

Lindsay turned down the snack aisle, groaning as she saw Michael standing there. She was hoping to get away without dealing with him, but he saw her before she could get away.

 

“I guess you got thrown to the wolves too,” Michael said, catching up to her.

 

“Why do you say that?” Lindsay asked.

 

“From what I heard you weren’t included in the vacation with everyone else. Hell, they even took your kid and left you behind,” Michael told her, hoping she’d do what she usually did when Brian discluded her. 

 

Lindsay stared at Michael, and suddenly realized he’d done this to her for years. Made her feel left out, which in turn made her do stupid shit that hurt her and Mel as well as her friendship with Brian and Emmett. Only now, Michael was on the outside himself, and she’d learned her lesson about her own actions.

 

“I’m not likely to be invited to most things. Brian isn’t any happier with me than with you,” Lindsay told him.

 

“I doubt he’s happy with the fucking blond he married either,” Michael bitched.

 

“Or that you're hanging out with the asshole that’s been stalking Justin,” Lindsay told him.

 

“I didn’t really think that one through. The asshole blew threw all my money and I’m stuck with him until Ma gets over the bullshit she’s pissed about. I thought I could make some money but the fucking NDA has me by the balls, which Mel seems to enjoy reminding me about. I think it’s bullshit that we get punished because Ted treated us like we were the problem. Shit, he and Mel could barely stand Brian and now they act like they’re better friends than we were,” Michael told her.

 

Lindsay thought about it and realized that in the end Mel and Ted were better friends to Brian than she and Michael ever were, but she wasn’t planning on telling him that since it would defeat whatever purpose Michael came up with for talking to her.

 

“I guess now that Brian pays the bills they have to kiss his ass,” Lindsay said, playing along.

 

“You’re right, but it doesn’t mean you and I have to play along with it. It’s time that Brian does right by both you and me,” Michael told her, keeping the smirk off his face, thinking that he still had Lindsay’s number.

 

“It doesn’t matter, because he’s not willing to listen to either of us anymore,” Lindsay told him.

 

“He would if we could get him alone. And we could get Collier to deal with the blond issue for us,” Michael told her.

 

“Collier hasn’t impressed me,” Lindsay told him.

 

“Give him time and he’ll clear our way to Brian, but we need you to help too,” Michael told her, ready to take back his place beside Brian.

 

“You and Collier want my help?” Lindsay asked.

 

“I want your help. Collier will see I’m right when you do what I ask,” Michael told her.

 

“What do you think I can do?” Lindsay asked.

 

“Get us the codes to the fortress. We can take it from there,” Michael told her.

 

“Are you forgetting Corey and company, or are you once again just going to bumble through?” Lindsay asked.

 

“I’m not stupid. Shit, they won’t even be there for what I plan,” Michael grumbled. “So, do your part and I’ll make sure Brian gives you the life you cream your britches over,” Michael told her, walking off like Lindsay already agreed.

 

Lindsay looked at her phone, debated, and made the call to see what Corey thought.

 

Chapter 27 by starlight

Corey listened to Lindsay as she explained her whole day and finally ended with what Michael asked her to do. He could have done without the whole recap but she seemed to think he needed all the details including one he didn’t know. She kept insisting that Jen hadn’t meant to tell her, and it was her own fault for listening when it was a private conversation. Corey hung up and went to find Brian and Justin, hoping the two weren’t busy since they’d been locked up in Justin’s studio after the interview. Knocking, he smiled as Justin opened the door, blushing and asking for a second before joining him downstairs. 

 

Brian came down first, almost an hour later, looking completely relaxed. Justin followed a few minutes behind Brian. He knew neither of them likely realized they’d made him wait as long as they had, but with these two they tended to lose track of time when they were in their own world. He’d known Brian long enough not to waste time, but he also wanted to make sure he gave them all the details.

 

“Lindsay called me and told me a few things that I wanted to make you aware of,” Corey said, only to be interrupted by Brian.

 

“What’s she bitching about now?” Brian grumbled.

 

“Nothing. She ran into Michael and wanted me to know what he asked her to do.” Corey told him.

 

“Which is?” Brian asked, hoping Lindsay hadn’t gotten into some new mess.

 

“He wants her to get the codes to get him and Collier into the house. From what it sounds like, he thinks with you guys at the benefit, he and Collier would be able to stay here waiting for you two. Lindsay’s also worried you’d be mad at Justin’s mother because she overheard her talking about the baby you two are planning to have.” Corey told them.

 

“Fuck. So now everyone will know,” Justin said. Looking at Brian as if Justin was to blame.

 

“I don’t think Lindsay plans to tell anyone, especially because she doesn’t want Jen to get in trouble with you guys. I know you don’t trust her right now Brian, but I think she’s trying to do the best she can not to screw up any more than she already has with you.  And for now, I think you should see her calling as her way to correct some of the shit she did in the past, which I understand isn’t my business. What is my business is the part she told me about Michael’s newest plan. And it leaves us with what to do about what Michael asked her to do.” Corey told them.

 

“The idea of either of them in this house…” Justin said, not liking the idea of someone invading the sanctuary he created for himself and Brian.

 

“It also tells me he doesn’t watch the house, since even when you two were away there were guards around the grounds,” Corey told them.

 

“What do you think we should do?” Justin asked as Brian sat without saying anything.

 

“Let them enter the grounds, it gives us cause to have them arrested. Then we have a case we can work with. That will take care of our biggest issue, Collier, who has spent his life staying just outside what could get him in trouble. For years his family was able to keep him out of trouble because his first obsession wasn’t famous and just wanted to get away from the family. They can’t pay you two off or find a way to make this go away. I have a feeling they know it and it’s why they’ve been distancing themselves from the situation as much as they could.” Corey told them.

 

“I don’t want them in this house, but if it helps us…” Justin said, looking to Brian.

 

“Nothing they touch changes anything,” Brian said, knowing no one could touch what this house meant to both of them.

 

“There will be people in the house, and we give them a special code that alerts the company it’s an intruder and not someone welcome in the house. I’ll call Carl and make sure the police are here waiting for them but let them trespass so they can arrest them.” Corey told them.

 

“You want to be here don’t you?” Brian asked, seeing Corey’s excitement.

 

“Look, don’t get me wrong, hanging around and enjoying your hospitality isn’t a hardship, but it’s not how you two deserve to live just because a couple of fuckwits became obsessed with you. I don’t want us to have to still be dealing with this for your future children.” Corey told them.

 

And Corey lost the two of them, but he understood that Brian trusted him to do his job.

 

***************************************

 

Lindsay came home to Mel shaking her head as Lynnette complained about everything wrong in her world. Mel didn’t seem to get why Lynnette thought she gave a shit about her any more than she had in the past. Mel was more amused at Lynnette’s belief that everyone should suffer with her. In truth, she’d been distracted with what Brian had called to tell her about Lindsay finding out and wondered how Lindsay was really taking the news that Brian was planning on having another child. She sat here letting Lynnette bitch about how sad her life was, hoping the baby wouldn’t set Lindsay back on her road to self-discovery. It helped that Brian gave her permission to discuss this with Lindsay if she brought it up.

 

It wasn’t until Lindsay walked in that the real Lynnette came out. This brought Mel’s attention back to Lynnette. Mel watched the calculated gleam in Lynnette’s eyes and wasn’t going to let Lindsay get shit on by her sister. Which happened in the past because if Mel interfered it would have Lindsay trying to defend the shitheads. In a way, it was a test that Mel didn’t mean it to become, but while she wanted to believe Lindsay was changing, she needed to see it. It didn’t mean she would sit back and let Lynnette fuck with Lindsay though.

 

“So does Mel know about your little infidelity?” Lynnette asked, smiling and showing that she enjoyed hurting Lindsay.

 

“You mean Sam? We really shouldn’t have thought since he’s a total waste of a father he should have been a good choice.” Mel said, shrugging it off, seeing the gratitude in Lindsay’s eyes.

 

Mel would have laughed at the look of confusion when it didn’t do what Lynnette wanted but it was just sad that a family could be like Lindsay’s. She was angry that Lynnette couldn’t seem to be happy unless she was hurting Lindsay. It didn’t excuse Lindsay’s behavior but it explained a lot about Lindsay to Mel.

 

“Plus, I felt like I’d love to feel the way Lindsay felt when she was carrying Gus. So we were happy when Lindsay didn’t conceive, but now I’m ready to help her create the family we’ve always wanted together. Plus, we’d rather have a child that would have the kind of family that would never make them feel unwanted. You know, the way you and the rest of your family do to Lindsay?” Mel said, stopping before going in for the kill. “Oh God… I just realized it must hurt you that you haven’t had any child support children of your own.” Mel said smirking.

 

“Like I’d want one just because some rockstar knocked me up.” Lynnette dismissed, not liking the way this was going.

 

“But wouldn’t that be your dream, a father who loved his son so much that you could bleed him dry? I mean, we got lucky because Brian and Justin love Gus and would never treat him differently. In fact, they, like us, would make anyone sorry if they tried to hurt our son.” Lindsay told her sister, sitting down next to Mel.

 

“It doesn’t hurt that Justin’s family makes everyone look at your mistake differently.” Lynnette sniped.

 

“Or is it that they’re looking at you and Mother differently that’s the real problem? What’s it like for you to be in my shoes? I honestly don’t care, because I’ve finally given up on you, so get out of my house and go be miserable with your next ex-husband, while I’m happy with the people who love me for me. I’m done playing the victim so you can feel better about your crappy life.” Lindsay told her, pointing to the door.

 

“Sure, and while your living in your hovel I’ll be living in my mansion.” Lynnette sniped.

 

“At least until the newest younger model catches your latest husband’s eye.” Lindsay said sweetly as Lynnette slamed out the door.

 

“Why did you let her in?” Lindsay asked.

 

“She’s amusing if nothing else, but I want you to know I’m proud of you.” Mel told her.

 

“It was easier when I stopped letting what they think bother me. Seeing Justin’s family and Drew’s family and the way they support them, it stopped making sense to me that I was putting up with the way my family treated me and you.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Did you have a good day?” Mel asked, since Lindsay seemed as if nothing was bothering her.

 

“With Jen and Deb I did, but I need to tell you about something.” Lindsay said sounding upset and making Mel’s stomach drop. Only, what Lindsay said wasn’t the jealousy Mel expected. “I went to the store because I wanted to have a romantic dinner with you, since Gus was still with Brian, and I ran into Michael. I tried to act the way I used to when he would say shit, just to see what he had to say… He wanted me to help him break into Brian and Justin’s house.” Lindsay told her.

 

“WHAT?” Mel asked, wondering why Brian hadn’t told her that.

 

“Yeah, I couldn’t believe it either, but I called Corey to let him know, since he would need to deal with it.” Lindsay told her.

 

“You didn’t call Brian?” Mel said, still wondering if Lindsay was going to mention the baby issue.

 

“So he could tell me to call Corey?” Lindsay asked, looking at Mel confused.

 

Mel felt like shit for once again thinking Lindsay would use something to her advantage. “Sorry. In the past you would have, which isn’t fair of me.” Mel said, hoping Lindsay didn’t take it wrong.

 

“You’re right, in the past I would have, but I’m not willing to play those games with you or Brian any more. I want you both to forgive me for the shit I did, not let it go because I did the right thing for once.” Lindsay told her, even though it hurt a little when Mel said that. But she couldn’t say she didn’t deserve it for the way she had acted in the past.

 

“Anything else?” Mel asked, hating that she couldn’t just let it go.

 

“No. Just know I’m happy for them, and will be for us when we’re ready again.” Lindsay told her, leaning her head on Mel’s shoulder.

 

“I think we’re almost there.” Mel told her, smiling.

 

************************************

 

Michael wondered why Collier didn’t seem as excited as he was with his plan. Granted he really didn’t know what they would do once they got in, but at least he thought of something other than sitting around waiting for Collier’s ‘brilliant thought’ that the twink would eventually want Collier over Brian. Michael could understand why Collier really didn’t stand a chance against Brian, it didn’t mean that Michael didn’t want Justin out of his way, just that the guy couldn’t help but wanting Brian. Which would be a problem since Collier saw Brian as the obstacle to his problems, instead of the blond who stole Brian from Michael.

 

“So in all your ‘brilliant planning’ did you account for the fact that security stays on the grounds?” Collier sneered at Michael. Making it clear that he thought Michael sounded like an idiot.

 

“They’ll be guarding the idiot at the benefit, so what’s the problem?” Michael said, getting pissed at Collier for acting like he didn’t think anything through.

 

“You’re right. Sorry, I just didn’t want you to end up in trouble, but maybe this could work.” Collier told him, knowing it wouldn’t, but thinking that then it might work for him.

 

“Once Lindsay does what I need, we can make it so they can’t avoid us.” Michael tells him, not really sure what came next.

 

“Great.” Collier said, smiling before thinking of his own plan while Michael screwed himself over.

 

 

Chapter 28 by starlight

Ted stood backstage with Justin and Drew, as the guys were taking the stage. Drew's family stayed with Justin's parents to help with the after show charity auction. They wanted to raise funds for the shelter that would help kids whose parents left them homeless, all because of who they loved. All the guys donated items to help raise money and took it one step further by getting their famous friends to donate items also. Justin's agent even got involved, and not just because Justin was her client. She'd forgiven Justin for keeping his secret and agreed with him about not wanting to use his marriage to lift his career. Justin wasn't an idiot, he knew being married to Brian was getting him more attention, but he wasn't going to use it the way others would. Call it arrogance, but Justin knew that even if someone searched out his work because of his connection to Brian, their continued interest would be because they found something they liked about his work. In the end, being an artist was second in Justin's world to being Brian's husband.

 

Justin stood there behind the stage in awe of what it took to get this show done. It was the first time Justin had seen what it took to get these shows off the ground. Brian didn't just appear on stage and sing his heart out, instead, he spent hours doing sound checks and going over songs he'd sung hundreds of times, still trying to perfect something that was already perfect. It reminded Justin of working on his paintings, where he'd finish and then find something was still not right.  It seemed strange, but in a way, he was still learning new things about the man he loved. This was a part of Brian's life that Justin hadn't shared. It wasn't because Justin wasn't interested, but to protect the privacy they wanted for their relationship. Ted was trying to keep people from bothering Justin, including the reporters standing around wanting to report what they kept referring to as a historical moment. 

 

Instead of the two bands doing separate sets, they decided to get out there and do the whole concert together. Emmett and Ben were warming up together, playing different rifts to entertain the masses. Justin had heard Blake and Brian working on combining their songs, and while Blake's voice was softer, it blended with Brian's harder vocals. In the end, Justin knew the crowd out there was going to go wild at being here with two of their favorite bands. 

 

"I need to go deal with some last minute things," Ted said, getting Justin's attention.

 

"We'll be fine," Justin told him, watching Brian.

 

"Just stay here, and if any of the reporters get intrusive just let Cynthia know and she'll make them back off," Ted said as his name was called.

 

"We can handle it." Drew told him, as Ted stood there, not sure what to do but nodding as he ran off to make sure everything was perfect tonight.

 

Justin saw Corey walking up and tensed. He wanted this to be over, and for him and Brian's life to be normal, or as normal as it could be. It was just hard on him to know they were allowing assholes into their sanctuary. Justin also knew Corey hated that he was standing guard when he wanted to be the one fixing everything for him and Brian. Corey stopped to answer his phone then looked unhappy about what he was hearing but hung up and headed toward Justin and Drew.

 

Justin didn't even let Corey say anything before jumping in to ask his question. "Is it over?"

 

Corey was silent for a second, hating that the news wasn't going to be exactly what Justin wanted to hear. "Michael and Howard Bellwether were caught breaking into the house. They're being detained at the house until the police arrive." 

 

"Bellwether?" Justin asked, confused at the asshole being involved.

 

"He's trying to say he was just doing his job and that Michael told him he had permission to be there. Which we both know is bullshit, but he's still trying to sell it. It might have worked except we have him on video picking the lock on the door and yelling at Michael for not making Lindsay get them a key." Corey told him.

 

"What now?" Justin asked.

 

"I'm waiting for someone to get here to watch over you, then I'm going to go make sure Bellwether shares a cell next to Michael's. I need to know why Collier wasn't there and where he is, which is bothering me more." Corey told him.

 

"Then go, Drew can sack anyone who tries to get near me," Justin told him.

 

"I'd just feel better if one of my guys were here. Something is off about all this," Corey told him, hating that everything wasn't wrapped up the way they thought it would be.

 

"I can go stay in Brian's dressing room until your guy gets here if that would help," Justin told him.

 

"I'll go with him," Drew told Corey, wishing he could be alone in a room with Bellwether instead.

 

Corey had a moment of indecision before walking over to where Brian was standing talking to Blake. Brian listened before looking over to Justin and Drew and nodding at Corey. Then Brian walked over to Justin.

 

"I'll walk you to the dressing room," Brian told Justin.

 

"We'll be fine, and you don't have the time." Justin pointed out as Blake walked out onto the stage.

 

"Nothing matters to me but you," Brian told him, kissing him.

 

"I know that. We'll be fine. We're only going to your dressing room and I won't come out until Corey's guy shows up. The last thing we need is a riot because they're waiting for you to rock the house." Justin told him, walking away with Drew.

 

Brian closed his eyes, listening to the screaming fans waiting and opened them to the one man who meant more to him than anything in the world. It made him want to say fuck it and go be with Justin. Justin also knew that when Brian turned to the stage it didn't mean that he was less important to the man. Brian smiled at the people screaming, wanting what they came for. Brian walked up to the mike, then asked for silence.

 

"We plan to give you the concert you're screaming for, but I wanted to thank each one of you for helping to support the charity this concert is for and let everyone know we appreciate the unwavering support of all of our real fans. Without you, we wouldn't be able to do what we love." Brian said, looking around and seeing a sign that made his night. "Thank you for loving the man who is my whole world," Brian said to the woman holding up a sign that said she hearted Justin and Brian, while around them he heard people cheering. Brian focused on his love for Justin and began belting out the songs the crowd wanted.

 

Justin was wandering around the dressing room as Drew took a call outside the room. When the door opened, he saw Drew look at him as the guy was standing there nervously, waiting to be let in with the tray of stuff to restock the room. Justin nodded since the guy looked like he'd rather be anywhere but there, dealing with them.

 

"Sorry, I didn't know anyone would be here." The guy said as he started putting away drinks and cleaning around the room.

 

The guy kept looking at Justin like he was trying to figure out who he was. "Sorry, but you look familiar for some reason." He said waiting for what Justin didn't know. "Oh wait, you're Justin Taylor the artist, right?" The guy asked, coming closer to him. "I'm a big fan."

 

Justin took a step back, not liking the way the guy was acting, which he stopped when Drew came in looking rather menacingly at the guy. 

 

"Is there a problem?" Drew growled.

 

"No. As I said, I'm sorry. I must seem like a total asshole, it's just it was a surprise to see Justin Taylor here." The guy said, walking out of the room.

 

"That was weird," Justin said, not sure of what to make of the guy.

 

"Fans are." Drew told him, grabbing a bottle of water from the stuff the guy left.

 

"I don't have fans like that," Justin told him, relaxing and grabbing some water too.

 

"It's the same in football as it is for Emmett and Brian." Drew told him.

 

"It's hard to get used to, most people don't recognize me outside of shows. It's why I was fine with keeping our marriage and relationship out of it. It was nice to be able to do things without flashes going off or people asking questions about things they had no business knowing. Brian liked that part about us."

 

"I wish for the same thing, but our careers were in the spotlight more than yours. It would have been easier to find someone else, but they wouldn't be Emmett." Drew told him, yawning.

 

"You could have stayed in the closet and continued the way you were, but you didn't." Justin

commented.

 

"No, I couldn't. Emmett's the best thing about me." Drew said simply. 

 

"Loving Brian is worth everything to me too," Justin told him, feeling weird. 

 

He looked over at Drew, who suddenly slumped over, and then before Justin could do anything, the room started spinning. Then there was nothing but blackness.

 

Two hours later, Brian finished the final song, then looked over at Ted who ran out to the stage and grabbed Brian, dragging him off the stage to boos and the crowd screaming for more.

 

"Ted?" Blake said, running after them.

 

Ted stopped once they were off the stage and away from other people. "We can't find Justin." 

 

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN? HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE WAITING IN MY DRESSING ROOM WITH FUCKING GUARDS!" Brian yelled.

 

"Collin showed up to guard him, only to find Justin gone. Corey got his team here right away, but so far all they know is someone drugged Drew and that Justin wasn't there when they found Drew, who is still out." Ted said, only to find out Emmett was standing behind him.

 

"Where is Drew now?" Emmett asked, trying to be calm.

 

"They took him to the hospital, just as a precaution. All his vitals were fine. Corey made sure they collected the water that was opened to test it and all of the other items that were in the room. Right now we're worried about Justin." Ted told him, wanting to reassure them both.

 

"Does Corey know anything?" Blake asked.

 

"Yes, does Corey know anything, other than he shouldn't have left Justin alone?" Brian said sarcastically, feeling guilty that he had done the same thing to go sing, while Justin was who the fuck knew where.

 

Corey walked over, willing to take anything from Brian, knowing he was right. He'd wanted to help by dealing with Michael, but he left his charge alone. Nothing could excuse that.

 

"I talked to the manager of the arena, and we've searched every inch of this place. We did find out that someone showed up to the room to restock it, but that the manager had no idea who it was. They don't allow anyone into the dressing rooms during the concerts, for various reasons." Corey told them.

 

"We hire our own people normally, it's so we know who we're dealing with," Ted commented.

 

"Which Justin or Drew wouldn't know." Corey pointed out. "Apparently the guy went into the room, stocked it, then left. A stagehand said he saw the guy leaving but everything seemed okay and he went back to work." 

 

"Did he recognize the guy?" Brian asked as calmly as he could.

 

"He said the guy looked familiar but he couldn't place him. He gave us a description, but it's not Collier, because I showed him the picture." Corey told him.

 

"What did you find out from Michael?" Ted asked.

 

"He refuses to talk to anyone but a lawyer and is trying to blame it on Lindsay. Bellwether is still insisting that he didn't know that Michael didn't have permission to be there." Corey told them.

 

"I don't give a fuck about Michael," Brian growled.

 

"We'll find him, Brian," Ted said, hoping to reassure him.

 

"We shouldn't have to... if you'd... fuck." Brian said, hitting the wall next to him.

 

"Um, hey I finally remembered the guy." Russ, one of there stagehands said nervously as all eyes turned to him. "I don't know his name but he was always around the guy from the record label."

 

"Vance?" Ted asked.

 

"Yeah him. I think he was like the guy's son or something. I found out from one of the other guys that he paid one of the arena attendants to let him in." Russ said, looking as if he was at fault.

 

"Did you do something?" Corey asked him.

 

"No. But I should have stopped him since he shouldn't have been in that area." Russ told them.

 

Ted was looking down at his phone before he walked over to the guy and showed him a picture.

 

"Was this him?" Showing him a picture of Kip Thomas from Vance's company website.

 

"Yeah," Russ told them, nodding.

 

*****************************************

 

Justin heard voices, but he was still groggy and wondering where he was. He looked around and it looked like an unused office. He looked up at two guys standing there with their backs to him, recognizing Gardner Vance, but not the other guy. He tried to get up, only to realize he was tied to a chair, and they were too busy arguing to notice he was awake.

 

"Are you fucking kidding me, Kip? You kidnapped someone, you idiot." Gardner said, sounding extremely pissed.

 

"I thought if we could get Brian here, we could get him to resign with Vanguard. I wanted to fix everything you said was my fault. Plus, Collier agreed to make sure Justin vanished, so no one would know we were involved." Kip whined.

 

"Instead you got us into a bigger mess, one that I won't be a part of," Gardner said, turning to see that Justin was awake. "Look, I didn't have a clue about this." He said to Justin nervously, going over to untie him. "I'm going to get you out of here and go with you to make sure Brian knows I didn't have anything to do with the bullshit my idiot nephew did."

 

"You can't. I'll get in trouble." Kip said, looking panicked.

 

"For once I don't give a shit, I'm done coddling you," Gardner said, trying to undo the knots.

 

Justin would have warned Vance but with the gag, he could only mumble as Gardner kept assuring him they'd get out of there. Kip stood there just watching as Collier hit Vance in the head with a bat. Vance slumped over and fell to the floor. Collier smiled at Justin, then turned and hit Kip who was still just staring at his uncle on the floor.

 

"Now we need to go, we have places to be," Collier said, sounding as if nothing was wrong. "I'm sorry it took me so long to find a way for us to finally be together." He said, kissing the gag before pulling Justin out of the chair and putting the blond over his shoulder. He walked out of the room, which was when Justin realized he was in some unused part of a building. "Feel free to scream, no one's here." Collier laughed, as he walked out of the building and put Justin into the backseat of a car sitting right outside the door in the back of the building.

Chapter 29 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

Michael wasn’t worried about anything, he already planned to blame everything on Lindsay anyway. It was perfect since once again Lindsay performed the way he knew she would. She was just so easy to use. Lindsay always wanted to be the one everyone looked at and had lost that when Brian got famous and left her behind. And that was the reason Michael always knew he was more important to Brian. Michael knew he had made mistakes, but he wasn’t going to sit around and wait for Brian to figure out that he should have been the one standing next to him, not the blond shit! Regardless of what the cops and that shithead Corey said, Brian would never let Michael suffer if he could stop it. It didn’t matter that Brian had fired Michael or that he now ignored him because Michael knew it was the blond’s fault. Brian wasn’t thinking straight, and the shit was using his life to influence Brian into wanting him.

 

That was why, in Michael’s head, Brian had turned against him. It was because the blond was offering Brian things he had once wanted. That’s the only reason Lindsay had managed to sink her teeth into Brian at one time. The life they all dreamed of was something the blond asshole had. So Michael figured that was the only reason he was worth anything to Brian. Michael now saw where he went wrong. Reminding Brian of the life they grew up having was the one he shouldn’t have used. Michael spent enough time around the snobby assholes like the Taylors and could see where he went wrong. Collier explained it to him, and Michael realized he gave Brian too much leeway. Michael let Brian have the tricks and never once discouraged it. Instead, he played it up so Brian wouldn’t even try a relationship with him or anyone else. In a way, Brian might have thought that Michael wasn’t willing, so he ended up getting trapped into a marriage with the blond shithead. 

 

It’s why, when Collier suggested that Michael go to the house alone he was willing. Because Collier would get the real problems out of Brian’s life and leave the field open for Michael to explain to Brian that he was ready for them to be together. Collier promised Michael that he’d have a lawyer that would make sure none of the bullshit charges would stick. Michael was also supposed to make sure to blame everything on Lindsay, saying she helped because she didn’t like the way Brian’s marriage got in the way of her ambitions. Seriously, when pointing out Lindsay’s machinations, who in their right mind would think anything but that it was all about her, the way it’s always been since Brian met her. And once again, Michael, being the kind-hearted, sweet man he was, fell for it. He knew he could pull it off. All he had to do was look like the victim, something that always had Brian doing everything he could to protect Michael.

 

Michael looked up at the cop, Anderson, who’d been sitting there with him in the interrogation room. He put on his best puppy dog look and waited for the guy to fall for it. He stopped talking to Michael when he told him he wanted an attorney present and had told him they could wait. Michael didn’t bother to make a call since Collier told him he’d have someone here, but he was getting annoyed as the hours ticked by and no one showed up. He knew that by now Collier had taken Justin. Now Michael wanted to be there to console Brian and show him that he was the one he should really want. He was really tired of being in jail when he should be with Brian, after all, one night sleeping in a cell was ridiculous. The fact that he was still waiting for the lawyer Collier promised was starting to piss him off. So Michael figured it was time to get this show on the road, the one that would get him out of here and to Brian. Plus, being in a cell when the blond was taken pretty much said Michael hadn’t kidnapped him, didn’t it? He couldn’t be blamed when he’d been in custody when that happened.

 

“When do I get to go home?” Michael asked when Anderson didn’t react.

 

The guy just snorted and continued to sit there without answering, like Michael asked a stupid question. “We’re waiting for you to call an attorney, or whoever you think would help you.” He reminded Michael.

 

Michael figured he could at least help himself get out of here so he started talking, wanting to get them to look at Lindsay instead of him. “Look, I didn’t know that I was doing anything wrong. In the past Brian never had me banned from any part of his life, and it wasn’t like I really broke in. I was given the code to get in the house by our mutual friend Lindsay Peterson, who told me Brian needed me. She was tired of the blon… Justin Taylor interfering with her and Brian. Which I understood since Brian’s first priority should have been to the people who stood by him all his life… and his son. She and I both knew if anyone could get Brian to see what Justin was doing it was me. I’ve been his best friend all his life and that interloper was pushing us all out of the way so that he could have Brian all to himself. I mean, look at the shit he did, buying a house in Pittsburgh, forcing Brian to get married to him, and then getting the kid attached to him, all to get Brian. I only wanted to see Brian and get him to listen and see what JUSTIN was doing to him.” Michael said, looking sad.

 

“Okay. But unless you’re willing to waive having your attorney present, then I can’t talk to you.” He reminded Michael.

 

Michael thought about it, and while he remembered Mel’s words about not saying anything without an attorney present if any of them got in trouble, he ignored it like everything else that got in the way of him getting to Brian. “I don’t think what I did was anything a caring friend wouldn’t do when you know your best friend is being taken advantage of by someone else. I think if we talk you’ll see all I was doing was what was best for Brian, and being taken advantage of by the woman who thinks she’s the one who Brian should have married. If anything I’m the one who was just naive in believing Lindsay.”

 

“So she’s to blame?” He asked, not looking convinced.

 

“If you knew her, you’d understand. She wanted to be the queen next to the king. Which in her mind Brian was, and she was smart enough to know that she could only have him all to herself if I was taken out of the picture. I didn’t realize it until Brian started throwing me out of his life. I mistakenly blamed Justin for it, when all along it was her pulling the strings. She needed me out of the way since we both knew that Justin wasn’t going to keep Brian. Once that happened Brian would realize what he did to me was wrong and he would come back to me. Lindsay couldn’t have that, so she used me to make sure Brian thought everything was me, and not her. She and I have always gotten along, so I didn’t think that when she offered me a way to talk to Brian I was doing anything but what he asked her to ask me to do.” He told Anderson.

 

“Which was?” Anderson asked.

 

“She said Brian was regretting the marriage and the way he treated me. He wanted us to talk and possibly work out our relationship. Only, Justin was always around, blocking Brian from having any chance to talk to his best friend.” Michael told him.

 

“Then why bring a member of the press, one that isn’t on favorable terms with the band?” Anderson asked.

 

“He was helping me hide from the press that surrounded the house. It was so no one would recognize me. I didn’t want the press trying to make headlines when all I wanted to do was help Brian. He gets enough of that shit. I mean, look at all the headlines that Justin provoked just to show he got Brian to marry him. I wanted to make sure Brian knew I’d never do that to him. He’s more important to me than having my face in the news. That’s something Lindsay would use. I made sure to tell Bellwether not to expect an exclusive until Brian and I agreed to release our statement.” Michael told him.

 

“Your statement?” Anderson asked.

 

“Well, let's just say Brian might have thought I wasn’t interested in more than friendship from him. I wanted to make sure he knew I didn’t hold his mistake against him.” Michael told him, smiling at the ways Brian would thank him, once he realized that Justin was the mistake.

 

“So Justin got in the way of what you thought should be yours?” Anderson asked, sounding like he finally understood Michael’s side of things.

 

“Brian probably thought I wouldn’t be interested in settling down. We both love the lifestyle being in the band gave us, so he probably thought I wasn’t ready to settle down. I needed to make him see that without Justin in his life, I could give him all the things he thought he was getting with Justin. Once he realized it, Justin wouldn’t be a problem in our lives any longer. I only needed a chance to talk to Brian, and then Justin would have been on his way out.” Michael told him.

 

“How does Justin’s kidnapping play into this?” Anderson asked, hoping the idiot would keep talking.

 

“He wasn’t kidnapped. He WANTED to get away. Collier said that Justin wanted out of the marriage but didn’t know what to do. So Collier told him he would help him. I think you all are way off base with this kidnapping shit, he just wanted away from Brian. You should be pissed that Justin Taylor is wasting your time, since he wanted out.” Michael said, liking the way his story was taking shape. Michael was scowling when Corey walked in but ignored Corey when Brian followed behind him.

 

Michael ignored the way Brian looked wrecked, and the angry look when he looked at him. Michael wasn’t willing to see anything but that Brian was finally there to help him.

 

“Can we get out of here now?” Michael directed at Brian.

 

Corey shook his head. Leave it to Michael to ignore the obvious, such as Brian’s anger directed at him. Of course Anderson saw it.

 

“I know you’re upset and worried, but we do this without you ending up sitting in a cell,” Anderson told Brian.

 

“I won’t say any more unless Brian and I can talk in private,” Michael told all of them.

 

“Sure Michael, how about you and I sit and talk about what you and your partner in crime did to me and the man I FUCKING LOVE,” Brian said, not willing to show Michael anything but his contempt for the asshole he one time thought of as family.

 

“All we wanted was to show you both who you should want. I get that you made a mistake marrying HIM, but we can change that. I’m ready for us to be what we should have been. I’m here and we can forget about HIM, and start from here. You don’t love him, and I know it because for years you keep telling me you love me. Only I know you thought you weren’t good enough for me, but you are now. Justin wanted to get away from you, and caused all this drama when he could have just left as he should have.” Michael told him.

 

“Now? Now, that I’m married, happy, and looking forward to my life? Now, because you think I ever wanted you? So because I am finally happy, you think you should fuck up my life for you? I’m not here for any reason but to get you to tell me where that fucker took MY HUSBAND.” Brian told him.

 

“You don’t need him, I’m here,” Michael said, unwilling to believe anything but that Brian wanted him.

 

“Great, then you can stay here until you rot in hell,” Brian told him, turning to walk out.

 

“Brian, you can’t do this. We were supposed to be together. Remember we talked about us growing old together for years.” Michael pleaded desperately, since, in his mind, Brian was supposed to rescue him, not leave him.

 

Brian took a deep breath before turning around. Corey told him that it would be better if they fed into Michael’s delusions, but the idea that Justin was alone out there with Collier, not knowing what the fucker might do to Justin, only had Brian in a rage. He thought he could do this, but seeing Michael sitting here safe just made him want to wrap his hands around his former friend’s neck and choke the life out him for helping Collier take Justin from him. It took a minute for Brian to put on the mask. The one he once wore to keep people from seeing too much about him. Then after another minute, turned looked to Corey and the detective before looking at Michael again.

 

“Can we talk alone?” Brian asked, ready to play the role Michael wanted.

 

Brian watched as Michael smugly looked at Corey and Anderson like he won. They both walked out like they planned, leaving the camera on. Michael didn’t seem to notice anything but the fact that he finally had Brian alone. It said a lot about Michael, that nothing Brian said less than a couple of minutes ago seem to sink in for the man. 

 

Michael didn’t care what Brian had just said, he decided that was for the benefit of the cop and Corey. Brian had to at least look upset for the others, but once they were alone Michael would be able to get Brian to believe him. Thinking about that, Michael decided to make sure Brian saw it his way. Since Justin was out of the way, it was Lindsay’s turn to go.

 

“I think Lindsay was helping Justin and Collier,” Michael told him, sounding upset for Brian.

 

“Mikey,” Brian said, wanting to smash his fist into the smile Michael couldn’t stop at hearing the childish name Brian called him. “Look, I need to know where Justin is. His parents are on my ass over this and I don’t need this with the changing of labels.” Brian said, hating that he had to make it sound like his music was more important to him.

 

“Why bother to change labels, Vance is willing to take you back,” Michael told him, realizing Brian was finally seeing what was more important.

 

“Vance wanted me to get rid of Ted, and in case you forgot he was also the one who didn’t want you in the band,” Brian told him. 

 

 

“He told me once you resigned with him, that I could be back in. So we could have it all together.” Michael said, making sure to see how Brian reacted to them being together after what he just said. Michael wasn’t stupid enough to think Brian was trying to play him.

 

“Why do you think I wasn’t going to resign? Vance will tell you what you want to hear but once we signed he would have done what he wanted regardless of his promises to you. But I’m confused, when did he talk to you?” Brian asked, treading carefully, apparently, Michael wasn’t as oblivious as they hoped.

 

“Maybe we should get the detective to get Lindsay here since she wanted Justin gone,” Michael said, hoping to avoid the whole ‘talking to Vance’ thing. The last thing he needed was for Brian to talk to Vance and find out Michael and Collier had been there talking to Kip.

 

“She’s already telling them what she knows, but I’m more interested in why you were talking to Vance. I’m asking because no one can find Vance. I’m trying to help you because right now the Taylors want your head for kidnapping.” Brian tells him.

 

“Why me? I was stuck in a cell for nothing except being told by LINDSAY that you need me.” Michael said, again hoping to push the Lindsay angle.

 

“Mikey, I’m just saying it all looks like you and Collier, not Lindsay. In case you haven’t figured it out, everything points to you helping Collier. You don’t seem to get it. Collier’s been stalking Justin for years, and if he has Justin it’s not because Justin wanted anything to do with him. I need to get Justin back so the Taylors will leave you alone because in their eyes you're the one they want the blame to be on. They don’t want a scandal in their set. Which means, even if you didn’t help him, he’s going to use you the way rich people use others to take the blame for everything they do. The Taylors aren’t going to want someone from their circle to be tarnished when Collier had you to take the fall. It’s how it’s done in their world.” Brian said, lying, since the Taylors didn’t fucking care who, just that Justin was home safe.

 

“Once you get me out of here, we’ll rub it in their faces. They can’t touch me, I’ve been here since before Kip took Justin.” Michael tells him, smug in the knowledge that Collier had been right about Michael getting arrested before the kidnapping took place.

 

“Which sounds odd, when according to you, Collier and Lindsay told you that Justin wanted to leave. If that’s true then why would Kip need to do more than open a door?” Brian asked, without showing any signs that Michael slipped on something no one knew yet.

 

“I don’t mean took him, just that he helped Justin get away. He lost everything too when you and Emmett wouldn’t resign with Vanguard. Just like me, helping Justin get away would mean everything could go back since Justin won’t be around to cloud your judgment. I mean, look at what you did to me, I’m YOUR BEST FRIEND, and you turned your back on me for a piece of the blond boy ass you married. Then Lindsay’s stuck out in the cold. All of us could see that HE changed you, not us. If you want to know anything, stop them from looking at me and tell them to look at Lindsay, she’s from that circle. Collier was invited to her family’s circle by her family. She’s the one who constantly wanted people to look up to her by forcing you to have a baby, and then was pissed when you didn’t give her the attention she wanted. What have I ever done but supported you? And now she’s figured out a way to make it sound like I did it all. I’ve always been by your side, helping you, even when you and Emmett threw me out of the band. I was there making sure no one thought they were more to you than a trick. I stood by, letting you have the spotlight, happy just to be with you. I could have given you more than Justin ever could, so who gives a shit that Kip took Justin? He’s gone and now we can finally be together. Brian and Mikey, showing the world we’re gods. Let him go, and we can have the life we should have had if you hadn’t let HIM trap you into marriage. We can be happy, but only if you stop letting HIM get in our way.” Michael ranted.

 

“We can’t because right now you're the one who they think planned the whole thing. Nothing YOU want will happen because you’ll be in jail, since from the looks of everything that happened, Justin didn’t leave willingly.” Brian told him, not sure how much more he could fake for anyone in order to get Michael to say something.

 

Michael started to worry because what Brian was saying was starting to sound more truthful than all the promises Collier made when they planned this out. So far the lawyer hadn’t shown up. Kip wasn’t the one sitting here being asked where he took Justin. And it didn’t seem like anyone was listening to him when he kept trying to pin this on Lindsay. Something that was now puzzling him was that not once did anyone seem to care that he kept bringing up Lindsay. When he was listening to Collier it made sense that they could turn it on, Lindsay and Kip. Yet as far as he could tell they were planning to blame it all on him. And what Brian said made sense, they were all from the same social set, so regardless of what Michael said, they’d ignore anything he said in order to pin this all on him. Only they didn’t get that Michael Charles Novotny could play the victim better than anyone, and Brian and the guys would back him up. It didn’t matter to him that lately, they hadn’t, only that they fell for it enough that Michael remained blameless for years.

 

Michael hung his head, looking beaten down, before looking up at Brian as if lost. “Shit Brian, they convinced me that Justin wanted out. I was only trying to make it easier for you to keep from losing anything. Collier told me Lindsay let him know where Justin was going to be. Only he couldn’t get in with all the security to get Justin out of there. Justin told Lindsay that you were keeping him prisoner in the house and he needed a way to leave without Corey stopping him. I hate to tell you, but Justin felt like you were beneath him. He just needed a way to get away. 

Collier told me that he knew someone who could help but didn’t say who or what he planned to do. I let them convince me this was the best for both of you. Only they were playing me, and I didn’t talk to Justin but what they said made sense. You and Justin were from two different worlds, and like Lindsay and Collier, he got tired of pretending you were worth sticking around for anymore. He’s not like us. He probably hated the way you outshined him and wanted to be back in his world. I mean, he’s wrong, because your Brian Fucking Kinney, and worth more than anyone from his circle could be. In time, you’ll see you made a mistake marrying him, and I promise to be there for you like always. If Lindsay and Collier really did kidnap Justin then we can even raise Gus together, since it’s obvious Lindsay only did it because you were shutting her out, and she used me to take the blame. She isn’t the person I thought she was, she was trying to hurt us.” Michael told him, hoping he looked upset that Lindsay would be out of their lives.

 

“You know what I find interesting about the whole tale you just told?” Brian asked.

 

“What?” Michael asked, not liking that Brian wasn’t looking like he believed Michael.

 

“Let’s start with Lindsay. Yes, she and I haven’t been close for a while but she knows now it’s because of what she did with Gus. Instead of helping you, she went straight to Corey and let him tell her what she should do when you asked her for a way into the house. While you're telling this whole tale of Lindsay being the one who planned to get rid of Justin, she’s been in the background trying to stop you.” Brian told him.

 

“Of course she would, she wanted you to owe her for pretending to help you,” Michael said, brushing off what he didn’t want to hear.

 

“The second thing… Vance is telling us a different story from the hospital. Apparently, when Kip showed up at Vanguard, Vance didn’t know what was going on. So he followed Kip and was in shock that his nephew kidnapped Justin. Kip, being the idiot he is, explained everything to Vance, who tried to get Justin out of there. Since Kip is one for self-preservation, he’s pretty much thrown you and Collier under the bus, since Vance is only willing to help Kip if he tells the truth. One thing that came out was that no one but you and Collier were in on all of this. Help yourself and tell me where Collier is with Justin.” Brian told him.

 

“I want my lawyer,” Michael said looking at the mirror.

 

“Where is he?” Brian asked, no longer pretending anything.

 

Michael hated Brian for everything he never got at that moment. “Good luck, since I’ll never tell you. You deserve to suffer for everything I’ve lost because of you. I hope you spend the rest of your life wishing for the one thing you’ll never have, then you’ll understand what you did to me.”

 

“Say hi to Bubba and the gang who will see you for the bitch you’ve always been,” Brian said walking out the door.

 

************************************

 

Justin sat silently, looking at the room Collier locked them in. All around him were pictures of his life. Pictures Justin had no idea someone had been taking before his marriage to Brian was announced. He noticed the lack of photos of him recently, but then Brian would have been in every picture taken. He wasn’t sure what to make of the dog sitting there just watching him. The dog was actually friendly and had it’s head on Justin’s lap until the door opened. Then it hurried to the pillow sitting in the corner, laying down. The crazy asshole walking in with lunch as if anything about this situation was normal just added to Justin’s shitty day.

 

“I got all your favorites,” Collier said happily, uncuffing Justin’s hands leaving him still tied to the chair. “So you can eat but they go back on so don’t get any ideas.”

 

“Where are we?” Justin asked.

 

Collier had knocked him out again once they were in the car, so Justin had no idea how long they’d been gone or what day it was. He looked for clues but other than the creepy This Is Your Life surrounding him, not a clue was to be had. The place smelled stale but gave nothing away as far as where they were. When Collier opened the door it looked like a hallway, and when Justin yelled, Collier laughed and told him no one lived near where they were. So that did nothing to help.

 

“You need to eat. With all the drugs in your system, I don’t want you to get sick. We’re finally together and I want us to get to know each other the way it should have been.” Collier told him.

 

“How long have I been here?” Justin asked, not willing to play into Collier’s games until he had some kind of answer.

 

“Justin, why can’t we just enjoy the fact that we’re together and not worry about all the other things?” Collier asked, looking upset.

 

“I just want to know what day it is. It’s like an anniversary when you think about it.” Justin said, trying not to puke.

 

“Oh yes, you’re right. But I’ll tell you next year when we can celebrate it. Can we eat now?” Collier asked, slightly annoyed that Justin wasn’t doing what he wanted and kept asking questions.

 

“Collier, we can pretend all you want, but you have to know no one is going to believe I just walked away from everything. Sitting here eating food and pretending isn’t going to change anything. My family is going to look for me. And trust me, you're going to be the first person they look for. I need to know that you didn’t do something that could get you into trouble, like take me to your parents' house or anywhere anyone knows to look for you.” Justin told him, hoping he sounded like he was concerned for Collier.

 

“No one would think to look for us where we are, trust me,” Collier told him.

 

“How do you know? The first places they're going to look is anywhere your family owns.” Justin told him, hoping Collier was that stupid.

 

“It’s fine Justin, I made sure no one could connect me to this place. Now can we please eat?” Collier said, trying not to get upset at Justin for continuing to act like he wasn’t as happy as Collier was.

 

Justin picked up the asparagus spear, wondering why Collier thought he liked any of the food he brought. While Justin didn’t hate any of it, he wasn’t a big fan of baked chicken breast or asparagus. “I’m not trying to upset you, but I’ve never been a big fan of these,” Justin said waving it around, before letting it drop on the plate.

 

Collier looked at the plates, confused as if he was trying to figure out what he got wrong. “You love this,” Collier told him like that would change Justin’s answer.

 

“I do?” Justin asked as if Collier was an idiot.

 

“It’s what Ethan ordered for the two of you once a week. He wanted to make your evening special when you were at his place. So he asked me to make sure it was there before you came over.” Collier insisted.

 

“Sorry, but whoever it was that Ethan was feeding, it wasn’t me,” Justin told him.

 

Collier looked at the table slowly before standing up, and with both hands holding the table, threw it across the room. Justin expected some reaction but not that one. Collier seemed to calm down for a second.

 

“I’m sorry for ruining our first date, I’ll do better,” Collier told him before going out the door closing it and locking it.

 

Justin watched as the dog walked over and started eating, then tried not to laugh when he realized Collier left his hands free. He listened in case Collier came back, but after untying himself he couldn’t find any way out but the door that Collier locked. Justin looked behind him, not seeing anything that could help. He checked everywhere but if Collier had camera’s there wasn’t one in the room. That at least gave Justin hope that Collier wouldn’t have any idea he was going to be waiting for him. Then he’d make sure that Collier got a locked room of his own for daring to take him from Brian. Justin looked down as the dog looked up hopefully, possibly for food, but Justin was going to believe that it is for him to be successful.

 

Chapter 30 by starlight

AT THE CABIN

 

Justin managed to tear apart the room and wasn’t happy to find the bathroom didn’t have a window either. The only thing worth all the work he’d done was that he found a couple boxes of old crackers, which weren’t great but it was better than going hungry. He didn’t want to sleep but as time continued to pass, he and the dog curled up together. Justin fed the dog some of the crackers, promising it a steak later when they managed to get away from Collier. The dog seemed to revel in the attention Justin gave him, no longer willing to be away from him. As the days went by Justin started to wonder where the hell Collier went, but didn’t let it make him doubt they could get away. 

 

Justin dreamed of being home with Brian and in some of the dreams they were there with their new baby and Gus. He let those dreams keep him from believing anything but that he would get home to Brian soon. Justin didn’t have a clue how much time had passed, but knew it was days versus hours. 

 

*********************************************

 

Justin ended up falling asleep again, only to wake when the dog started growling. The dog didn’t run to the bed in the corner, instead he stayed, as if Justin needed his protection. It was four days later that Collier came into the room with Ethan tied up. He threw Ethan in the middle of the room, still angry that Ethan tried to lie to him about the food being wrong. Ethan said Justin always did stuff like that to make him feel like he wasn’t good enough. Ethan, of course, was only worried about his ass, since he didn’t think Collier would like hearing how he was always viewed as inferior to Justin, by not just Collier but by everyone. So he used tricks to make himself feel better and used Collier to make it look like he was living well above his means. In Ethan’s mind, when he cheated on Justin using Collier, it made him feel like he was getting one over on the assholes who thought he wasn’t one of them. Of course, Ethan should have known Collier wouldn’t believe his Angel was anything but perfect, and proceeded to kick Ethan’s ass until he admitted the meals were his favorites and to feed the tricks that for once saw Ethan, not Justin, as the real attraction. 

 

Ethan lay there, hating Justin Taylor for ruining his entire life by seeing through him and dumping his ass. Ethan lost everything, while Justin went on with his life and it wasn’t fair. Collier withdrew all his support when nothing Ethan tried to do to get Justin back worked. Then blamed Ethan for not doing what he was supposed to do for him. It wasn’t like Collier stood a chance with Justin; hell Justin didn’t seem to know Collier existed. Yet, instead of being mad at Justin for his lack of acknowledgement, Collier made it sound like it was Ethan’s fault he wasn’t in Justin’s inner circle. Which was true, Ethan let everyone know that Collier only wanted to be able to say he knew famous people. It didn’t matter that people looked at Ethan as if to say, ‘then why is he around you’, then looking at Justin as if that was the answer to the question in their minds. 

 

****************************************

 

AT ETHAN’S APARTMENT

 

Ethan had stopped caring about anything but the fact that somehow Collier could make it look like Ethan kidnapped Justin. It made him see that Collier might have been playing Ethan when he thought it was the other way around. Why hadn’t Ethan ever questioned the gift, and how odd the house was? Who the hell needed doors that locked from the outside, or a room with no windows? Ethan knew why he never questioned it, he let his ego take over again, thinking he was the one fooling Collier, not the other way around. He’d questioned why Collier brought them to Ethan’s hideaway and didn't like the answer.

 

“So no one could link it to me. You really thought I hadn’t been planning this since the first time I introduced you to Justin’s world?” Collier snorted.

 

“If you wanted him then why take years and why use me?” Ethan asked, trying to stall, for what he wasn’t sure.

 

“I wanted to finesse my way into his life. The last time I did it wrong.” Collier said, as if any of that made sense to Ethan. Seeing the confusion in Ethan’s eyes, he continued. “I thought the tutor my parents hired was the one. I can admit that was youthful folly, but it taught me that I went about it all wrong, and this time I wanted to get it right. I was confused and thought my tutor returned my feelings and pushed too hard. I ended up having to sit with a therapist who told me that real love couldn’t be forced on someone, they had to see you were the best for them. When I saw Justin I knew I needed to do it differently. Not to try to force him to see me, but be there when you fucked up and pick up the pieces for him. I picked you since you’re worthless at everything you do, and waited for Justin to see how much better he would be with someone who would worship the ground he walked on. Only you drove him completely out of my reach and into that loser’s grasp. You made people think I was like those groupies that slut themselves out to those assholes like HIM.” Coller said, looking ready to finish the beating he started earlier.

 

Ethan wondered if the therapist released Collier for any reason other than to get away from the crazy ass. Also, he was pissed to be called worthless and let his mouth get in the way of common sense. “Brian Kinney is a lot of things, but a loser isn’t one of them. And those groupies wished he would give them the time of day, but guess what, he doesn’t. Apparently, when he and Justin got together, they were just for show. While he devoted all his attention on Justin.” Ethan didn’t care that he got a fist in the face for that, he was just glad to see Collier not like hearing the truth. 

 

Even Ethan couldn’t fault Justin’s taste. Brian Kinney was a walking wet dream. Which made sense that he would want Justin, since the same thing applied to the blond. When he was first introduced to Justin, Ethan was on board with Collier’s idea of Justin and Ethan getting together, not of Collier wanting Justin. For a while, Ethan liked everything about Justin, until he started feeling invisible to him. Which was all Justin’s fault for being so good at everything he did. It didn’t matter that Ethan was a music prodigy, just that nothing he did was original, he just played the music others created. In the art world Justin was an original and Ethan was just the guy repeating others’ genius. It didn’t help Ethan’s ego when others heard that Justin married Brian Kinney, who not only sang but created the music he played. Ethan started asking questions about Brian, and found out he had stopped tricking two years earlier. He couldn’t find anyone who could say Brian was anything but faithful to Justin.

 

Ethan wished he was back on the boat, and out of Collier’s reach. He should have question why Collier wanted his shitty car. Or why Collier wanted him to drive to Vanguard to meet the limo arranged for him. Ethan had been enjoying the outing Collier had arranged a week ago, completely oblivious to what was going on in the world. He really should have questioned the guy who looked like Justin coming on board, but he’d been too busy enjoying himself to question it. Collier told him he wanted to make it up to him for dumping him out in the cold, and Ethan was too happy to care why he changed his mind about it. Collier acted like he got why Ethan was more important than Justin, and Ethan didn’t question it, since it fed his ego. The guy told Ethan to call him Justin, and let him do all the things the real Justin never let Ethan do to him. The guy never asked who Ethan was, and he let himself believe it was because the guy recognized him. The next morning Ethan woke up alone, and when he asked the captain steering the boat where ‘Justin’ was, he told Ethan he thought the blond was with him. Ethan shrugged it off and proceeded to get drunk and sleep off the rest of the trip back to the mainland. Ethan enjoyed the limo ride back to his shitty apartment, thinking it was time for Collier to take care of that too for him, only to end up with a fist in his face as he came through the door. Ethan ended up admitting to everything just to get Collier to stop, since no one in his building would call the cops. Collier knocked Ethan out before dragging him to a car, and now they were sitting in front of the cabin Ethan was planning on selling to get money.

 

“Look, I don’t really care about what your doing with Justin, but you need to realize people are going to notice that we’re all missing and put it together. It would be better if you let me go so I can give you an alibi or at least keep people from looking here.” Ethan said, hoping Collier believed him. 

 

“You aren’t really that stupid are you? I want people to see you missing, so when I burn this place to the ground with you in it, people won’t be looking for Justin and me.” Collier said, as if there was nothing wrong with killing Ethan.

 

“I think they’ll notice the fact that Justin isn’t in there with me. And the fact that you’re missing too.” Ethan pointed out, trying to figure out how his life led him to this.

 

“This is why I chose you, you’re an idiot. No one is going to look for Justin. They’ll just think you dumped him in the ocean.” Collier smirked.

 

“All the police have to do is find the guy and your plan would be blown apart. He could tell everyone he was with me.” Ethan told him.

 

“If he had a clue who you were, maybe, but you know, hustlers don’t care about the trick, just the cash waiting for them. He was also thrilled with the bonus, and probably won’t be back until long after your death stops making the news.” Collier told him.

 

“How are you paying for all of this?” Ethan asked, since the last he heard Collier was broke.

 

“My grandfather didn’t trust my parents to look out for me, after the last time.” Collier told him.

 

“And?” Ethan asked, still trying to think of a plan to get away.

 

“He gave me money and I used it and money from Michael to make sure everything works out the way I want it too.” Collier told him.

 

“You think that idiot Michael isn’t going to eventually tell to save his ass?” Ethan told him.

 

“No, because he’d lose just as much if he told anyone anything. Right now Michael’s safe in jail, which leaves him with an alibi for the night Justin disappeared. I wasn’t anywhere near Justin either, so any good lawyer, which I have great ones, could say they were just looking to blame me instead of actually trying to solve it. Plus, everything points to Michael, since he’s the one trying to get rid of Justin and was very vocal about it. Then we throw you into the mix, the guy hated Justin for seeing you for the loser you are. I mean yeah, people know I wanted Justin, but I never crossed any lines that could point anything at me. Meanwhile, you ran around letting everyone know how Justin ruined your life, and how you wished he’d just disappear.” Collier told him.

 

“Sure, but you’ve never done anything without someone helping. So if Michael was in jail, there’s still someone who could tell the truth.” Ethan said hoping to throw Collier.

 

“Kip wanted Justin gone too, so anything he could say would be trying to save his own ass. Hell, everyone knows they wanted revenge for Dark Angel leaving the label. And the fact that Vanguard was being dropped left and right would make anything either of them said sound like they’re trying to cover themselves. If they try to blame it on me my lawyers will make them look like idiots. Also there’s you, when the captain of the boat tells them Justin was on the boat but didn’t leave with you when you landed ashore, who do you think they’re coming after? I made sure the Captain got a note about the disappearance of Justin right after you left the boat and the hustler had a way to leave without anyone seeing him go. Which won’t matter since you won’t be able to tell them anything. 

 

**********************************************

 

BACK AT THE CABIN

 

Collier pulled up to the cottage. “Now, we need to get this show on the road. I have things to do and they don’t include listening to you try to act like you’re anything more than a puppet to my plans.” Collier told him, pulling out a knife and taking him to the room Justin was in. 

 

Ethan looked over to Justin, who looked confused at first, then angry to see him. The dog growled at Collier as he came closer to Justin, making him back off. Collier starred at the dog, as if waiting for it to quietly go back to the bed in the corner. The dog didn’t do anything but growl at the threat to his new master.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to leave you for so long, but I think Ethan owes us both an explanation for my mistake. After that we need to get going, so we can get on with our lives.” Collier told him.

 

“Why bring Ethan into this? He didn’t owe me anything, other than to not fuck my agent’s PA in my bed.” Justin asked, trying to keep the dog from moving when it kept Collier away from him.

 

“We needed a way to escape without anyone trying to take you away from me. What better way than to lead everyone to believe Ethan and Michael did it all.” Collier told him, as if this was their plan and not Collier’s alone.

 

“Why would anyone think it was Ethan? He’s been out of my life for years.” Justin commented.

 

“And in that time he lost everything, all because you saw him for who he was. We just need to be able to spend time alone together before we come back to our lives. I need you to see that I’m the one you should have wanted, and while I know you’ll see it eventually, right now you’re still blinded by what you think is love with that man. But you’ll see once no one is around that you shouldn’t have lowered yourself to HIM.” Collier explained.

 

“You really think he’s going to just sit there and take the blame? Ethan will do everything he can to sound like the victim and hero at the same time.” Justin asked, not understanding.

 

“Thanks?” Ethan said sounding anything but happy with what Justin said.

 

“Just telling the truth, something that you never liked.” Justin told him.

 

“No, but dead men can’t talk. Which isn’t something I want, but just what has to happen to anyone who could take you from me.” Collier told him.

 

“Kip and Vance can, how are you planning on dealing with that?” Justin asked as the dog got even angrier when Collier tried to get closer.

 

“In his head, no one will believe anything but what his lawyers say. And I thought my ego was big.” Ethan snorted, as Collier jerked him up and put him between the dog and himself.

 

“They will, and my parents, if they know what’s good for them, are going to do what they do best. Make sure no one ruins the family name, which Justin would understand. His parents wouldn’t want to drag any of our circle through the mud when we have others to get dirty for us. I’m sure they’re thrilled that Justin wanted to get away from the trash he brought into the family.” Collier said, as if Justin’s parents were like the rest of them. 

 

“You’d be wrong, his family aren’t like the rest of you. They hated me because they said they knew I was using Justin. Unfortunately they were partly right.” Ethan mumbled.

 

“From what I’ve heard, a few years ago, Justin’s father wasn’t happy with the men Justin got involved with. At the time, I didn’t know it was about Brian Kinney and not you. In fact, he even invited the son of a prominent family to hopefully steer Justin back into the fold. I was a little upset when they overlooked me, but I understood it since my family tended to hide me. So you don’t understand the way I do about his family.” Collier told Ethan.

 

“Actually my father wanted me happy and tried what he thought was the right thing. Only he changed his mind once he got to know Brian. Unlike with Ethan, he saw Brian wasn’t after anything, which was what really worried him.” Justin said, hoping to figure out a way to get himself and Ethan out of this. Justin might not like Ethan, but he didn’t want anyone dead. 

 

Collier pulled out handcuffs and threw it at Justin, who let it fall. The dog was agitated and while it would be useful he didn’t want it hurt either.

 

“Put them on.” Collier demanded.

 

“Don’t.” Ethan whispered.

 

“Shut up, or I’ll let you die painfully. I planned to overdose you but I can let you bleed out and let you burn alive.” Collier warned, yanking Ethan’s hair back painfully threatening him with the knife in his face. 

 

“I’m sorry for everything.” Ethan told Justin, knowing all this started with him.

 

Justin let go of the dog, praying he wasn’t going to get hurt.The dog snarled and lunged at Collier. Collier was shocked that the dog wasn’t afraid of him, dropping the knife. Collier got up and ran as the dog chased him out of the room and out the door, leaving the door open. Justin looked at Ethan, debating about what to do, he wanted nothing more than to get home to Brian but he couldn’t leave anyone with Collier. He grabbed the knife Collier dropped and got Ethan untied before they went to the door, being careful as he heard the dog still growling in the other room. Ethan and Justin got to the living room in time to see Collier in the car trying to get away from the dog. It was early in the day as far as Justin could tell, but he was more worried about the gun in Collier’s hands, aiming it at them.

 

“We’ve got to get out of here.” Ethan said, trying to yank Justin in the opposite direction.

 

Justin whistled once they got around the cottage and were running through the trees. The dog came running when they heard the gun go off, but it no bullets were flying at them. Justin followed Ethan as the dog got to them unharmed. Justin wasn’t sure where they were going, or hell, even where they were. Ethan kept moving, shaking his head for Justin not to ask. They heard what sounded like a phone ringing then the car started and peeled out. They both kept going, not trusting that Collier wouldn’t show back up at the cottage.

 

“Do you have a phone?” Ethan asked.

 

“Yeah, sure. That’s why I sat in a room for four days with a dog, because calling someone to get my ass out of there wasn’t preferable to being held prisoner.” Justin said sarcastically.

 

“Okay, stupid question. He took mine, and the cabin doesn’t have one. So we need to keep going, so we can get home.” Ethan told him as they continued to run.

 

“Where the hell are we?” Justin asked, hoping it wouldn’t take days to reach a phone.

 

“West Virginia. I told Collier you wanted a secluded place to relax once and he bought this place.” Ethan told him.

 

“You’re an asshole you know?” Justin asked him as they continued on, hoping Collier was still far behind them.

 

“Yeah, but at the time I really thought you’d like it.” Ethan commented.

 

“So much that you never brought me here.” Justin said sarcastically.

 

“Okay, so I just wanted a place where no one could tattle on me when I tricked.” Ethan admitted.

 

“What did I ever see in you?” Justin asked, wishing Ethan had wanted something closer to civilization.

 

“At least one good thing came of my cheating, I know this place like the back of my hand. Which means we should reach the sheriff's cabin if we keep going. It’s about fifteen miles from my place, closer if we headed to the road, but with Collier driving around it would be better to stick to the woods.This is going to take all day but hopefully Zane is there, but if not we can go in and call him.” Ethan told him, looking unsure of his welcome.

 

“Zane? Please tell me you just know the sheriff and didn’t do anything that would have him wanting to shoot us instead of help us?” Justin asked.

 

“I could but I didn’t know he wasn’t the kind to trick. So he sort of got pissed when I acted like we were exclusive then invited him to join Eric and me when he caught us together at my place.” Ethan said, shrugging.

 

“Hopefully he won’t take out your stupidity on me. Did Collier know you were tricking with the sheriff?” Justin said, smacking Ethan in the head.

 

“Unless it was about you, Collier never wanted to know.” Ethan muttered, rubbing his head.

 

 

****************************************

 

IN PITTSBURGH

 

Brian wasn’t sleeping and he wasn’t eating. Every day that passed was slowly killing him, as no answers were coming. Everyone was beside him as Collier’s mother and father were questioned, denying loudly that Collier could be involved. Deb was there, angry that Michael wouldn’t do the right thing and acting as if she owed it to him to help him out of this mess. Ted and Emmett were there to keep Brian from murdering them as they lied to the police. Corey sat in with Collier’s family as they swore he had been home with them. They assured everyone that Collier would be at the station soon to prove their family had nothing to do with anything. They kept bringing up who they were and how Collier had never done anything that could be construed as breaking the law when it concerned Justin Taylor. When asked where Collier was they said they could talk to their lawyer. Finally they agreed to call Collier so he could show up and prove he had nothing to do with this mess. Collier’s mother made a point of saying her son never had issues until Michael Novotny dragged poor Collier into his life. When Corey brought up Collier’s past, his mother ignored him. Collier showed up a couple hours later looking as if he had no clue why anyone wanted him there. When Jen stood up, Collier smiled at her but wasn’t happy to see her standing with Brian.

 

Corey ignored him as he walked out of the office Carl had Collier’s parent in. Collier stood there watching them, as Corey came closer to Brian. “Do me a favor, when I tell you about the phone call that Carl just got, watch Collier to see how he reacts.” Corey whispered.

 

“There’s something I need to tell you guys.” Corey said, looking wary about telling Brian. “A boat Captain just called and told us he swears Justin Taylor was on his boat yesterday with Ethan Gold. Only when Ethan left, Justin wasn’t with him. The captain said he hadn't seen the guy who introduced himself as Justin Taylor anywhere the next morning on the boat that was still out in the ocean.” Corey said, loud enough for Collier to hear. Hating the scared look in everyone's faces.

 

“Why didn't he call before Ethan left?” Craig asked, holding Jen and Molly.

 

“He thought the guy was still on the yacht, then just assumed Justin was on shore while he'd been busy dealing with Ethan. He said Ethan asked but didn’t seem concerned when the captain said he hadn't seen him that morning. He only called because a message was left saying the police were looking for Justin Taylor.” Corey told him.

 

“He didn’t think to make sure where everyone was?” Jen asked, scared.

 

Brian watched as Collier smirked, Collier’s mother came out sneering at Brian. “We don’t appreciate having our name dragged through the mud.” She said directly to Jen.

 

“We will be going home, and any other questions will be answered through our lawyer.” Collier’s father told them.

 

As they walked out, Brian and Corey followed, getting to see Collier arguing when his parents insisted he come with them to their hotel. Collier shoved his father and turned to go to a car parked haphazardly. Collier pealed out, with two of Corey’s guy following right behind them. Ted came running out with his keys and throwing them to Brian. Craig came out, getting in with them to follow behind the others. 

 

“Where is he headed?” Corey asked when his guys answered the phone.

 

“It looks like he headed west, considering how long it took for Collier to get to us from wherever he really was when his parents called him, we could end up in West Virginia. Which put Ethan’s name being added as a possible place to look.” one of them said through the speaker.

 

“Why?” Ted asked, before Brian could. 

 

“He owns property there, which, looking into his financials, he couldn’t afford then, but somehow bought straight out.” Corey told him.

 

“Since Collier was pretty much paying for Ethan’s life…” Ted left hanging.

 

“Yeah… it just...” Corey said, not wanting anything about what the call implied to be right.

 

“Ethan’s a piece of shit, but too lazy to do more than complain.” Brian said, not willing to believe anything but Justin was alive.

 

Chapter 31 by starlight

 

Collier wanted to kill his parents for calling him after Justin and Ethan ran into the woods, but the closest place on foot for them to go was fifteen miles away, no matter what direction they went. Plus they likely weren’t going to go towards any roads since they didn’t know where he might be. If they returned to the house then he would happily burn it down with them in it. Justin had betrayed him, and if nothing else that would guarantee Justin would never be anyone else’s again. He went to the gas station, thinking about buying a couple of gas containers. Collier had started liking the idea that Justin would belong to no one if he couldn’t have him. He’d been wrong about Justin. He wasn’t the man Collier thought he was if he didn’t want him. After a minute he had calmed down. He was sure he could get Justin to change his mind, but Ethan had to go. Ethan wasn’t going to get anything but his wrath. The idiot screwed up at screwing up for Collier. Collier could see it in his mind. He’d find them, get rid of Ethan and make it so Justin understood what he was capable of.

 

Collier knew they were following him but he figured they’d watch his car, while he went to the back and drove Ethan’s car out right in front of them. They were idiots if they thought he was going to make it easy on them. He knew that he had time to find Justin before they could get to the nearest house, but he didn’t like the unknown. What if they found someone to help them? Collier shivered at the thought because while he could outmaneuver most people, Justin wasn’t like most people. He knew that if Justin talked people would believe him. As Collier headed to Ethan’s car he bumped into a guy but ignored him, suddenly worried about what would happen if Justin was found before he could get to him. He’d driven around to make sure there weren’t any stray cars or people around. Most of the property for miles was private, so hopefully, people respected that and didn’t cause Collier problems he didn’t need. He just wanted to be with the love of his life.

 

Brian kept driving as the other car stopped, watching Collier. He was tired of waiting for the asshole to lead them wherever he had Justin. If it was up to Brian, he’d beat the answers out of the fucker. Only that would make it harder for them to find Justin with Brian in jail.

 

“Where is this place?” Brian asked.

 

“In the middle of nowhere,” Corey answered.

 

“Brian, if Justin isn’t there we’d be driving away from the one person who could lead us to him,” Craig told him.

 

“Why not call the police in the area and see if they can at least check it out,” Ted added as Corey was already doing it.

 

“If I’m wrong…” Brian stopped talking but kept driving as Ted put the address on the GPS.

 

“If you are, Corey still has his people watching Collier,” Ted told him, praying they weren’t.

 

Corey nodded, waiting for Carl to answer. When Carl did, Corey told him about the property and wanted to see if he could have someone in the area check to see if anyone was there. Carl hung up, assuring him it would be done and the person would contact him on the phone. 

“It worries me that Collier left Justin wherever this is alone,” Craig said, hating to bring it up.

 

“He probably feels secure enough that Justin wouldn’t be able to get away before he could get back.” Ted offered.

 

“Which means it could be closer, not further away,” Craig commented.

 

“Both could be possible. It took Collier a while to get to the station, and place Ethan owns is private enough to get someone in without anyone noticing and far enough away to explain why Collier took as long as he did. I’m not saying there aren’t places closer, but with every law enforcement officer looking for Collier and Justin in Pittsburgh, he would be smarter to keep Justin in another state altogether. Collier’s proven again and again he’s smart.” Corey told them.

 

“What about Ethan, are you going to look for him?” Craig asked.

 

“I have a feeling we won’t need to. I doubt Collier would leave Ethan anywhere where he would be able to talk. It seems like Collier wanted to make Ethan a better suspect to take the heat off himself. With the captain of the boat saying it was Justin, it gives lawyers room to say Collier is being railroaded. Plus Ethan’s history with Justin, versus Collier’s almost nonexistent history...” Corey said, leaving the comment hanging.

 

“Justin wouldn’t be anywhere with Ethan.” Brian and Craig both said at the same time.

 

“We know that but unfortunately they can’t just believe us,” Corey said as his phone rang. “Do you still have eyes on him?” Corey asked, laughing after what the guy on the phone said to him. “I’ll track him, you guys go ahead to the cabin.” He said before hanging up.

 

“I’ll fire your ass if they lose him.” Brian snarled.

 

“Collier made a mistake that helps us, he stored Ethan’s car at the gas station. My guys knew to look for Ethan’s car, and noticed it parked behind the station.” Corey said smirking.

 

“Okay, but what does that mean for us?” Ted asked.

 

“It means we don’t need to follow Ethan’s car, just the tracker my guys left on it,” Corey told them.

 

******************************************

 

“I know this place like the back of my hand,” Justin said sarcastically when they still hadn’t found anything but woods, woods, and more woods.

 

“I thought I did. But look at the bright side,” Ethan said, not really sure what bullshit would be the bright side.

 

“Really! What’s the bright side? Since so far we’ve spent hours out here and seen the same fucking tree three times already!” Justin roared.

 

“Collier might be just as lost?” Ethan mumbled as Justin dragged him back on his feet.

 

At this point, Justin was more worried about the dog that had run off earlier when Ethan somehow managed to get them going in a circle versus toward the place he said he could find. Justin wished he could say he would get them out of here, but he wasn’t really sure which direction to go in at this point. Justin whistled again for the dog, hoping it would come back.

 

“What if Collier hears us?” Ethan warned.

 

“Hopefully between the two of us, we can handle him.” Justin snapped.

 

“Not if he has a gun,” Ethan told him.

 

“Look at the bright side,” Justin said, waiting for Ethan to ask.

 

“Okay, what’s the bright side?” Ethan asked, falling into the trap.

 

“He wants me. You, not so much. Which, granted isn’t bright for you, but since I wouldn’t be here without you, it is for me.” Justin said, dragging Ethan behind him.

 

“Well, at least I’m here and not your precious Brian,” Ethan said sounding sulky.

 

“Trust me, if Brian knew where to find me, he would be here,” Justin said with conviction.

 

“I don’t get it. I mean, how did you two even meet? Why would either of you even bother with the other?” Ethan asked.

 

“What are you really asking? Why him and not you?” Justin asked.

 

“I guess. I mean I have more in common with him than you do. We’re both in the music industry. You have more in common with me, since we’re in the fine arts, not pop arts.” Ethan said, sounding jealous.

 

“It doesn’t matter to either of us. We like that we have separate interests and that neither of us wanted to use the other for anything. Something you wouldn’t understand. But to answer your question, he was at the auction I donated my work to a couple of months after you and I ended.” Justin told him.

 

“Wait a second. Are you telling me that after getting pissed at me for cheating, you were okay with the man you married cheating on you?” Ethan asked.

 

“It’s not cheating when we agreed to an open relationship. Which you and I didn’t when you were screwing Eric.” Justin told him.

 

“What did you expect when you didn’t want it?” Ethan threw at Justin.

 

“For you to get the clue that we were over, and that I was willing to let you do the breaking up so you could save face,” Justin told him.

 

“Then why were you so pissed when you caught Eric and me?” Ethan asked.

 

“Because Eric broke my trust. It had nothing to do with you. I considered him a friend, and it hurt to realize he wasn’t.” Justin told him.

 

“So you didn’t give a shit about me?” Ethan asked, sounding like that wasn’t possible to believe.

 

“Not really. You were fun, but after a while, I got tired of the way you thought everyone should worship you, yet you did nothing to earn it. When we first met you had the potential to be great, yet you wasted it all trying to ride my coattails,” Justin told him.

 

“Like you aren’t getting a boost in your career by having your marriage make the headlines.” Ethan pointed out.

 

“Yeah. I really waited two years to get the fame I never wanted at the expense of the man who would do anything for me. That’s what you don’t get. Brian understood me wanting as private a life as we could have. He didn’t want anything he didn’t earn on his own, and it made my family respect him.” Justin said, relieved when he saw the dog, headed back towards them.

 

“Look, Lassie is back and we’re still lost,” Ethan said sarcastically, throwing his hands up when the dog turned and started running back the way it came. Justin let go of Ethan and started following the dog, leaving Ethan to stay or follow them.

 

***********************************************

 

Zane waited outside the station for the guys he was told were on their way to him. He'd already checked the house and property Ethan owned, not finding anyone. What he found in the house had him worried about what could have happened to Justin Taylor. 

 

The car pulled up and he hoped they didn’t realize his shock at seeing Brian Kinney walking towards him. It wasn’t everyday Zane met one of the kings of rock. Luckily one of the others approached him first, it gave him a chance at not gawking like an idiot.

 

“Hi, I'm Corey. That's Craig Taylor, Justin's father, and Ted and Brian. Have you found anything yet?” Corey asked, getting to the point.

 

“The house was open when I pulled up but no one was there,” Zane said, wishing he had better news.

 

“Was there anything pointing to Justin being there?” Corey asked.

 

“I honestly couldn't say, but let's just say the room was made for kidnapping. The locks were on the outside of the door and there were a few extra locks to keep the person in the room. I never really paid attention to that when I was seeing Ethan. If Justin got out of the house, he would have been surrounded by forest. With the front door wide open, and the guy you think kidnapped Justin gone, it gave him an opportunity to get away.” Zane told them.

 

“If Ethan was with him, where would they go?” Brian asked.

 

“Why would Ethan be with him?” Zane asked.

 

“We think Justin’s stalker was trying to frame Ethan for the whole thing to give him time for whatever he had planned to do with Justin. Which meant Ethan couldn’t be around to cast doubts on Collier Hartline. So far he's missing as well.” Corey told him.

 

“Ethan would try to head to my place since it the closest place he would know to go to. Except he'd likely get them lost since he didn’t strike me as an outdoorsman. Once you go in the forest out here, it's easy to get turned around unless you know where you're headed.” Zane said.

 

“How hard would it be to find them?” Brian asked.

 

“Hard. Since we're talking about a lot of territory to cover, but my guys know the area. I've called a couple of hunters in the area to be on the lookout out for them, and I sent my deputy to get some ATVs and bikes to make it faster.” Zane told him.

 

“Add that anyone finding Justin safe will get a reward,” Ted told him.

 

“How sure are you he's even here? The detective who called said there was another possibility too.” Zane asked.

 

“We've been tracking Collier and he's already in the area. The car belongs to Ethan, but as I said, Ethan’s missing and this guy has a connection to both Justin and Ethan. Collier used Ethan to stay in Justin’s circle, only he lost that connection years ago. Yet he stayed obsessed with Justin, unlike Ethan, who only bitched about Justin leaving him.” Corey told him.

 

Brian was about to ask if they were done talking when an SUV with motorcycles pulled in. The deputy got out and started unloading the bikes, while four other trucks pulled up.

 

“How about we talk later, and get started on the search?” Zane offered when he could see Brian and Craig were losing patience with the waiting. ‘You guys can wait at the station…”

 

“Ted and Craig can, but Corey and I are going.” Brian cut him off.

 

“We don’t have time to worry about you two,” Zane said since they were already going to be dealing two possibly lost or hurt other people. Which didn’t stop either Corey or Brian from taking two of the bikes.

 

“I've ridden and so has Brian. We'll follow you. Worry about finding Justin.” Corey told him, following the deputy.

 

**********************************************

 

Collier couldn’t believe they’d managed to follow him, but somehow they did. He’d stopped at the convenience store to get some supplies, only to overhear the locals talking about the gossip that Brian Kinney was at the police station. A few of the people speculated that Brian came here because Justin had run away with Ethan. Then one guy, wanting to one-up the others told everyone he’d heard Ethan was a kidnapper. That made Collier smile, but he listened as they continued saying the sheriff got hunters to start searching while some other men were searching around the cabin. No one paid any attention to Collier, too busy wanting to speculate on what was really going on. It also told him to be careful not to get caught while he went looking for Justin. Collier didn’t like the deviation from the plan he’d spent years on. It should have been so easy, but everything was going wrong. He was willing to allow that he’d been wrong to alert everyone to Ethan since now he’d need to worry about not being seen by anyone who would question why he was out there.

 

He couldn’t go to the cabin, but that didn’t bother him. If Justin and Ethan were still out there they were hours away from the cabin anyway. Collier drove around past the sheriff’s house until he found a small road to drive down and park the car out of sight. He just hoped that meant they believed Ethan was the kidnapper since Collier didn’t own the property. Now he just had to find the two of them, which made him wish he’d gotten the stupid mutt a tracker. He was going to kill the fucking dog first, then Ethan.

 

At first, it seemed simple, just go toward the direction of the cabin and he’d run across Justin and Ethan since they hadn’t been found. Only the fucking search party was everywhere, and on bike’s and ATVs, which put them going faster than Collier could on foot. He kept listening and running to hide when he heard a bike getting too close to him. The guy stopped, pulled out a map and started looking at it. Collier got up, knowing he would lose Justin if he didn’t take the opportunity presented. Collier didn’t want anyone to come looking for him, so he quietly came up behind the guy with a sturdy branch and knocked him on the back of the head. The guy went down. Collier wanted to tell him the helmet would have saved him. Collier sat on the bike, putting on the helmet, then looking at the motorcycle. He’d never ridden one before but how hard could it be if the idiot out cold on the ground could ride it. Collier found out it wasn’t easy as he hit the ground as the bike went out from under him. The guy on the ground moaned, which meant Collier needed to get out of there. He ran, hauling the heavy bike back up, only to wonder how the hell to start the thing. Nothing he did worked, he looked back at the guy on the ground, wanting to beat the shit out of him for making it look so easy. He dumped the bike and took off when he heard more bikes coming this way. 

 

Another hour passed and he was still no closer to finding Justin. He figured out following the direction the others were going in was better than being lost. He was angry they might find Justin before he could. He hated the idea of having to go into hiding while Justin ended up living his disgusting life with Brian Kinney. He’d waited years to get what he wanted and it was all slipping away. Collier couldn’t believe that after everything, he was the one who might lose. He was about to turn around and get out of there when someone yelled Justin’s name and a bark answered. Then he saw Justin running towards the noise. Collier’s anger got the better of him, Justin wasn’t going to be with anyone if not him.

***********************************************

 

Brian followed Corey’s trail, looking in every direction as he heard others shouting Justin and Ethan’s names. He had to give it to Zane, he sent four guys around the perimeter and the rest were within the search area. Zane told everyone they’d be searching for at least six to eight hours since they didn’t have an exact time table. As they started getting closer to the area, one of the hunters got off the bike and started on foot, looking for signs of anyone walking around the area. 

 

They’d been going for over two hours when a dog showed up, it looked at Zane before turning and taking off. At first, no one really reacted, then one of the guys started running after the dog. Brian looked around, praying this led to Justin. He got off the bike, letting it fall to the ground when he saw a blonde head running towards them. Brian didn’t think, he just ran to the man who owned his heart and soul. He yelled Justin’s name and heard a faint yell back from Justin calling Brian’s name. Everything was right in his world for the minute before he heard the sound of a gunshot and saw Justin falling to the ground. Everyone scrambled around trying to figure out where the shot came from. All Brian could do was run and hope Justin wasn’t dead. 

 

“Brian stop, someone is shooting at Justin,” Corey yelled trying to get to Brian.

 

Brian didn’t give a shit, because he needed to get to Justin. He kept running as others ran with him. Brian managed to breathe again as Justin scrambled to a tree. The shots kept coming, ripping bark from the tree. Justin kept himself covered as he ran away from the shots. It didn’t take long before Collier finally started running after Justin. Collier saw the people around him and shot at Zane and Corey, missing them both. Then he ran towards where Justin was again. Corey stopped, then raised his gun, debating whether or not Collier dead was better. He fired two shots, watching as Collier hit the ground. Zane kicked the gun out of Collier’s hand. Then it was the dog who seemed to think dead was better as it snarled, running straight for Zane and Collier.

 

Zane knew he couldn’t let the dog do what it seemed to want to, but before he could do anything to stop the dog, Justin whistled and the dog changed course, ignoring the target it had its teeth set to shred. Zane looked down at the guy whose hand had a hole in it and the kneecap that would need surgery. Then he looked to the man who fired the shots with deadly aim.

 

“I hate paperwork,” Zane said, watching the reunion of Brian and Justin, as Corey walked over to Zane.

 

Corey and everyone else in the area watched as the two men held on to each other. No one even reacted to Collier, who was screaming in pain. Corey let go of his guilt for Justin being taken because they’d found him. Everyone drew their guns as someone came running towards them, only to relax when Ethan came into view. Zane looked for a second at the guy he once thought could have been more, then looked at the couple who showed him what he should have been looking for.

 

“I’ll deal with the questioning and help you,” Corey told him, thinking he needed to stop letting his job get in the way of having a life.

 

*********************************************

 

It took a few hours to get the scene processed before Zane and Corey got back. Zane smiled as his station ended up with more people there wanting to see Justin. Ethan was standing outside. When Zane pulled up he started towards him. 

 

“It’s been a while,” Ethan said, thinking they could relive old times.

 

“Yeah it has, and you know what I figured out?” Zane said, watching as Corey walked past him.

 

“What?” Ethan asked, showing he was still interested in Zane.

 

“That wanting to be in a relationship doesn’t mean settling for someone just because he’s gay and available. I want what I saw the minute Brian and Justin were together.” Zane told him.

 

Ethan looked at the way Brian couldn’t seem to keep his hands off Justin, not letting even Justin’s mother’s hug tear Justin from him. Zane saw the jealousy and knew Ethan wasn’t ever going to be the one for him. Corey looked up from his phone and winked before turning and finishing his call.

 

“I can do better than before,” Ethan told him.

 

“Good luck, because I doubt you’ll ever find someone who could put up with you,” Zane told him, walking into the station.

 

*****************************************

 

Brian couldn’t let go of Justin, needing to feel him. Five days seemed like an eternity when he didn’t know what happened during those days. Justin explained what he remembered, making what Gardner told them the truth. It wouldn’t help Kip, but at least Gardner wouldn’t be in prison for keeping the idiot around. Collier lawyered up, trying to blame Ethan, and saying he was only looking like everyone else. He seemed to forget the witness to him shooting at Justin and yelling to Justin that he’d never get away from him. Then, as if he didn’t say anything, seemed to get it wasn’t just about Justin, and started saying he was trying to protect Justin from Michael, who was planning with Kip to get rid of Justin.

 

Justin didn’t know if Michael was involved with Collier, but Ethan filled everyone in Michael’s involvement. Carl questioned Kip and he admitted that Michael was in on the planning and that breaking into Brian and Justin’s house was supposed to be his alibi, the way Kip being the one taking Justin was Collier’s. Collier’s parents had shown up with the lawyers in tow, not willing to believe their son did anything but look for Justin like anyone would. Even the lawyers seemed stumped at how to explain why Collier was shooting at Justin, then at the Sheriff in uniform, and then at Corey. Collier’s lawyer did inform Zane that Collier had proof that Michael was financing the whole thing. Giving Zane statements showing the money all coming in and out of Michael’s account to pay Kip, and pay for the boat trip and the gun.

 

The captain of the boat was able to confirm the guy on the boat with Ethan wasn’t Justin. They still hadn’t found the guy, but Ethan told the deputy what Collier told him when Zane left it to the deputy to take Ethan’s statement. Corey agreed to stay behind and handle everything so Brian and Justin could leave. Ben called, telling them the press caught the story and Sean was coming to get them. Daphne and Travis called, agreeing to wait until they got home to see Justin. Daphne packed her and Travis’s bags and told him the honeymoon would wait until she could see her best friend was home.  

 

Brian sat with Justin on the plane that Ben felt would be easier on them. The press was everywhere, and it was easier to get them out of town where no one could reach them in the air. Sean had brought Gus with them when Lindsey and Mel suggested it. Seeing Gus smile at the dog was all it took to get them both calm. 

 

Justin explained how the dog led him and Ethan in the right direction when he could tell which direction the noise was coming from. He also told Brian how the dog protected him when Collier wanted Justin to handcuff himself and go with Collier. Brian didn’t bother to ask if anyone owned the dog. As far as Brian was concerned the dog became family for keeping Justin safe.

 

“What’s his name?” Gus asked.

 

“Lassie,” Justin said, thinking the dog earned the name for getting him back to Brian.

 

“Are we still having a baby?” Gus asked.

 

“As soon as we can, sonny boy,” Brian told him.

 

Brian called Emmett, deciding they needed to spend time away from everyone. Emmett, as usual, agreed, saying Drew agreed they could use another vacation. He called Mel and told her and Lindsey to pack a bag. He wasn’t rewarding Lindsey but was willing to meet her halfway. 

 

Deb called, just wanting to hear from Justin that he was whole and with Brian. She refrained from saying anything about her son, she didn’t want anything to ruin their happiness right then. Carl had pulled her aside with Jen’s permission and told her everything they knew so far. She listened and didn’t try to argue or defend her son. Instead, she realized it was time to live for herself and let what would happen, happen to Michael. She asked Carl to let her see her son before she left.  

 

Michael looked up from the cell, seeing his mother. Michael gave her the puppy dog eyes that always seemed to work before. He waited for her usual reaction and smiled when the first words sounded like he succeeded.

 

“I screwed up so badly with you,” Deb told him.

 

“Ma, it’s all a misunderstanding. But you're right, you should have supported and believed in me.” Michael told her.

 

“No. I should have forced you to take care of yourself and not let Brian give you the things he worked hard to achieve on his own without any help from you. Vic even told me from the beginning that I was coddling you too much. I’m going to take my brother’s advice, and let you deal with what your stupidity led you to.” Deb told him, knowing she still loved him but also knowing that helping him would hurt the sons of her heart. 

 

“Ma, why are you acting like I did more than going to see my best friend?” Michael asked since she sounded like he was in a lot of trouble.

 

“They found Justin, while you were in here denying everything. They also have the bank statements showing you were the one paying for everything that led to Justin’s kidnapping. So in your case, you didn’t need to be there, just pay for it.” Deb told him, walking out. 

 

Carl was waiting outside the door when Deb came out. “How about a cup of coffee and an ear? You look like you could use both,” Carl said, thinking Deb shouldn’t be alone as she dealt with the loss of her son.

 

“That sounds nice,” Deb told him, wondering why she hadn’t noticed before how handsome Carl was.

 

Chapter 32 by starlight

 

Justin wondered why Brian was being so careful since they landed. Emmett had already come by to get Gus, and instead of ripping each other's clothes off Brian was making tea. Justin knew nothing he could tell Brian would work, so it was time for Justin to show Brian that Collier didn't hurt him. Justin wasn't sure what saved him from it, but seeing the way Collier viewed him, he thought it was that Collier didn't want to do anything that would ruin what he wanted to believe. The only other explanation Justin could think of was that Collier still saw that Justin was Brian's and couldn't touch him until that was resolved. Collier would have waited an eternity for that to change, because Justin loved Brian with every part of himself, and wouldn't have ever willingly let go of the man who really saw Justin and not anything else.

 

"We could walk the beach if you want," Brian said, bringing the tea to Justin.

 

"What are you doing?" Justin asked, needing Brian to tell him what was causing him to act like Justin was dying.

 

"Taking care of you," Brian told him as if Justin wasn't getting it.

 

"By acting like I'm fragile?" Justin asked.

 

"No. But even though you're acting like none of what happened bothers you, I can't do that with you. The fucker took you away from me!" Brian shouted, showing what Justin that he was feeling guilty about it.

 

"Do you know what got me through it all?" Justin asked, but didn't let Brian answer. "It was knowing you'd be there for me, even if the worst happened. Yes, I'll probably have nightmares, but knowing you're there to hold me, talk to me, and still see ME, is all I need for it not to affect my life. But acting like touching me would hurt me is not something that will help me." Justin told him.

 

Brian knew he was being irrational. Ever since he found Justin he'd been practically clinging to him. Then, when they got here, he'd used Gus as an excuse to not do what he wanted. It didn't matter to him that Collier didn't do anything and in fact left Justin alone. It was that Brian was out on a stage while someone took Justin from him. 

 

"If I'd have been there..." Brian started, only to stop when he wasn't sure what he could have done.

 

"Drew was there and we did everything we were told, but, as hard as it is to say, Collier outsmarted us. But that wasn't anyone's fault. Collier spent years planning things, while we were still catching up. None of us knew what we were dealing with, and while there's nothing good about being kidnapped, Collier can't find a way to escape what he did this time. My family won't let the Hartlines' find a way to hide this, and all their money and connections won't help them.  It's time for Collier and his family to face the monster they tried to hide, and for us to get on with our lives," Justin told him with a gleam in his eye.

 

"How do you suggest we do that?" Brian said smirking, making Justin know he got through to Brian.

 

"I have a few ideas. Though we might have to work long into the night to make sure we get to all of them." Justin said, walking towards the stairs.

 

Brian watched, as Justin started dropping his clothes as he walked up the stairs. Then ran after him when all he saw was Justin waiting for him at the top, naked. Brian wasn't capable of being careful anymore, and Justin showed him it was exactly what he needed. Brian's clothes quickly disappeared, needing the skin to skin contact that he hadn't had in over a week. 

 

Brian remembered seeing all that porcelain skin the first time they were together. How soft Justin's hair was as he ran it through his fingers. He also remembered the way they couldn't keep their hands off each other, wondering if he'd ever get enough of Justin. It's why he didn't just walk away the next morning but was willing to keep in contact after. Justin had done something no one else had for Brian. He made him want more than one night. 

 

Justin sat back on the bed, waiting for Brian to come to him. Instead, Brian got on his knees, running his hands up Justin's legs, kissing his way up slowly, driving him crazy. When Brian reached the prize waiting for him, he swallowed Justin to the root, using his tongue to elicit the moans he'd missed hearing all week. Justin's hands clung to the bed sheets as Brian continued to wipe any other thoughts out of Justin's head. Brian didn't stop when Justin warned him, needing to taste his Justin on his tongue. Brian knew Justin wouldn't be finished, so he continued until Justin roared his release. Brian pulled back, letting his tongue clean the evidence, then went to work getting Justin ready again.

 

Every inch of Justin was sensitive, but Brian knew how to work him through it. Justin didn't sit idle, instead, he pulled Brian onto the bed and decided to torture Mr Kinney the way he was doing to him. He offered Brian his finger, which Brian took into his mouth while spreading his legs wider for what he knew Justin was going to do. It was something he only allowed Justin, since the blond earned Brian's trust. 

 

Justin took Brian's spike hard cock into his mouth, letting his fingers move slowly between Brian's ass cheeks to tease around his hole. Brian moved, unable to stay still as Justin teased by not inserting his fingers, instead barely breaching Brian and retreating. Brian wanted to feel those graceful fingers filling him, the way the blond did in order to drive Brian's climax hard enough to see stars. Justin took it further, humming as he gave in to Brian's movements; thrusting his fingers all the way in, finding Brian's prostate and reveling in the shout Brian gave as he worked his fingers over it again and again. Justin wanted what Brian did, to taste his lover, and was rewarded when Brian gave into Justin's assault of his senses. They both laid back on the bed, Justin on Brian's chest, as they took their first of likely many breathers tonight. It wasn't long before both were ready for more. 

 

Justin wanted to kill Brian when he started with shallow thrusts, paying him back for the earlier teasing. It was seeing the intense stare in Brian's eyes that stopped Justin from saying anything. Brian needed them to go slower. He needed it to last, to show Justin it was more than fucking for either of them. It was something Brian did for the first time when they decided it was no longer tricking for either of them. 

 

Brian breached him slowly, only to retreat, and doing it again and again. This wasn't a race to a climax for them. It was the joining of their minds and bodies, in the dance that never got old, for either of them. Each moan from Justin's lips was a confirmation to Brian that Justin was his and only his. Brian took Justin's lips as he started thrusting faster, unable to deny his blond anything, including the climax that was slowly building in both of them. It wouldn't be the last for the night and Brian let that thought go as both their bodies answered the call.

 

*****************************************

 

Ted stood outside, waiting for the ferry that would bring Lindsay and Mel to the island. He wanted to believe the change in Lindsay, but he'd had to handle her before when she acted like the spoiled debutant her family tried to make her into and wasn't willing to just believe what Mel had been telling him. She had to prove it to him, for him to trust her again. When she got off the boat, Ted didn't see the green-eyed monster that normally came out when she saw what Brian and Jusitn had. Instead, she practically ran to Gus, letting him tell her about the dog that seemed to trail Justin and Gus. She didn't even ask to see Brian and Justin, just wanting to know Justin was okay.

 

Ted and Emmett discussed where Lindsay and Mel would stay, and while Ted didn't tell them his reasons for wanting them at his house, they all agreed since Drew's family was staying with them. Ted needed to see what Mel had been telling him. 

 

"Drew's family thought it would be nice to have a picnic out tonight. You guys are welcome to join us." Emmett told them.

 

"We'd love to. Gus keeps telling us about the wonderful Nell," Lindsay told him.

 

"I need to let Brian and Justin know about something," Mel told Ted, smiling.

 

Ted waited to see if Lindsay asked what it was. Instead, Lindsay just said if they needed to talk to Brian and Justin, she'd get her and Mel settled. 

 

"I don't think they want to be disturbed just yet. You can talk to them tonight since they both will show up to spend time with Drew's family." I told Mel.

 

Ted started to believe when Lindsay agreed that Drew's family were really wonderful, in loving Emmett as much as Drew. 

 

Lindsay stayed behind after Mel took Gus to Ted's place on the island. She wanted to apologize to Justin for her behavior. He'd never been anything but good to her and Mel, and she tried to cover up her mistakes by not fighting her mother wanting to use Justin's fame. She felt lucky that Brian was at least willing to try to work on regaining their lost friendship, but she wanted to prove to him she was worthy of everything he had to put up with to be her friend. 

 

Justin was sitting with Gus, while Brian, Ben, Emmett, and Blake were talking to Ted and Mel about business. She figured it was time to stop stalling and accept whatever Justin wanted to do to her. Justin and Brian seemed to be in an unusually good mood, and Lindsay was curious if whatever Mel told them was part of it. She wasn't going to ask since it would be the old her to need to know it. When she sat down next to Gus, he was showing Justin a shell, excited about it.

 

"I think Nell would love it, why don't you go show her," Justin said, wanting to give Lindsay the chance to talk to him that she seemed to be waiting to do.

 

"He really likes her," Lindsay said, not sure how to start the conversation.

 

"Probably because she doesn't need anything to be someone's friend," Justin said, letting the implication lay between them.

 

"To where I couldn't be happy with what Brian freely offered over and over again. Instead, I once again used our friendship as if it would change the way my family viewed me. I get it, but I also know that they aren't worth the pain they inevitably bring into my life. They'll never approve of me, just use me. I know apologizing doesn't make up for what I did, but it's there if you want it. I hope in time you'll see I've managed to get past using everyone to get what I want. I have your parents to thank for that, when they stood by me." She told him.

 

"How did they do what nothing else did?" Justin asked.

 

"I saw how they were happy regardless of what anyone thought of them, and the way others respected them for standing up for what they believed in. Your mother didn't just throw the concert together to get back at my family for trying to use you. She did it because she saw a way of helping others." Lindsay told him.

 

"She wasn't that altruistic, otherwise she would have picked another day to do it," Justin told her.

 

"But she didn't use her status to make the people who chose her event over the wedding seem as if they were picking a side either. They would have still been welcome to her events either way. To where my mother made it sound like there would be consequences if they didn't show her loyalty. Which I spent my whole life afraid of, only to see my mother wasn't as powerful as she thought she was, and that my fear gave her what she needed to manipulate me all these years. I don't think she's ever been happy and hated I found it with Mel in the way she never did with my father and the money they have. Mel could have been someone they approved of, but my being in love and happy didn't matter when my mother lives in her own miserable world. I think that's why she constantly supported Lynnette, since Lynette is just as miserable as she is. I don't want to live like that anymore. I'm done denying that loving Mel makes me happy in a way I should have appreciated and not done things that hurt her." Lindsay told him.

 

"I think you've proven that to her, Justin told her.

 

"Even if I haven't yet, I have the rest of our lives to show her. I just want her to know that loving me

gave me everything I never knew I wanted." Lindsay smiled.

 

Justin thought about it for a second, maybe it was a test, but it was also to see if Lindsay really did see her life the way she was telling him. "She helped Brian and me find a surrogate for the baby we want. My sister donated the egg, so the baby would be part of both of us."

 

"What a lucky baby it will be to have both of you as it's fathers." Lindsay told him, happily.

 

Justin looked around the beach to all the people who would love their child, before looking at Lindsay. "I think the fact that we come with families that loves each one of us just makes it better. Hopefully, Aunt Lindsay will be in it too." 

 

Justin got up and pulled Lindsay into his arms. He wanted her to feel the welcome that her family wouldn't give her. She was finally seeing that love didn't mean hurting others, especially the people who really loved them. Brian got up, wondering what Lindsay said to make Justin forgive her, only to hear her next words. 

 

"God help Brian if it's a girl." Lindsay teased, thinking that combining Molly's looks with Brian's meant they'd be beating boys off with a stick.

 

"Then I'll deal with each and every idiot who thinks they can mess with my children," Brian said seriously.

 

"Mel can help, we don't call her the ball buster for nothing." Lindsay giggled, as Mel nodded to Brian and Justin.

 

"Look Mommy, Nell helped me make this for you," Gus came running over with a bracelet made of shells.

 

Lindsay didn't balk at the item the way her family would have; to her it was more precious than diamonds. It was made by Gus to show her that she hadn't been the failure her mother had been all her life. Mel smiled as Lindsay hugged Gus as if he'd just given her something invaluable, and looked at Brian, hoping he saw Lindsay for the woman she was becoming.

 

Ted hugged Blake, seeing the new start and the family they were lucky to have to support them. He looked over to Emmett, who was busy helping Drew's parents bring out the feast to celebrate getting Justin back. Then laughed joyously at the idea of Brian dealing with a daughter, while he pictured the rest of them scowling behind Brian at anyone who would dare to hurt their little darling.

 

"I want that too," Blake told him.

 

"What?" Ted asked, coming out of his thoughts.

 

"A little Teddy one day," Blake said, smiling at the thought. While Ted started thinking of all the things he needed to get done, so he wouldn't end up neglecting the family Blake wanted. "Ted, eventually, not today." Blake told him as if knowing what Ted was thinking.

 

"I want that too," Sean said, looking to Ben.

 

Ben cleared his throat, it was the first time Sean talked about more than just now, but a future with Ben. "It's contagious isn't it? But I wouldn't mind when we're ready." 

 

"At least Mel can help us all when we're ready." Drew told them.

 

"I'm ready." Drew's mother smiled. "How about we eat and let the future do what it's going to do." She told them as Nell and Gus were piling their plates. 

 

Chapter 33 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Justin stood backstage during a weekend concert with his three-year-old daughters Kelsey and Ariel as Brian was singing one of his top hits of the year. Drew was holding his beast of a son, Logan, while Ted was having his hair pulled by Megan, his and Blake's one-year-old. They all looked forward to later this year when Ben, Sean, Mel, and Lindsay were going to be adding to the chaos. Ben and Sean both liked their freedom. Not wanting to be full-time fathers, they saw sharing a child with the girls as the way they wanted to go. Justin smiled as Lindsay fawned all over a pregnant Mel. They came to help wrangle the children to one of the rooms set aside for the kids after the concert. Which is where all the grandparents were waiting, joking that they were too old to shake their groove thing with the rest of the guys.

 

Nell sat on stage next to Emmett as he played. Emmett told everyone Nell was the band's lucky charm since every song she liked ended up hitting the top of the charts. She became their muse, according to reporters and fans. The rest of them were just glad she was there to keep the kids from running amok and their headphones in place, since the final song was always the one the kids were allowed to go be with their dads.  Nell was one of the people all of the children listened to no matter how excited they got.

 

Even though three years had passed, Brian still had moments where unless he could see Justin, it brought back memories of the day he disappeared. It didn't matter that Collier was serving a thirty-year sentence for the combined stalking and kidnapping of Justin. The event still haunted Brian to the point where Justin finally gave in and attended every show, always standing in Brian's line of sight. Michael got twenty years, his sentence also included absolutely no contact with his former band or anyone associated with the band, with the exception of Deb. Brian wasn't willing to make Deb feel like she had to choose between her son and him. Deb visited Michael in prison but only because he was her son even though she didn't like the things he'd done. Deb told Brian that Michael made his choice when he betrayed the family, and her visits were only to make sure he didn't cross any lines laid out in his sentencing.

 

When the final song was about to start, everyone laughed as Logan ran as fast as his two-year-old legs could go, attaching himself to his father's leg as Emmett then walked carefully to stand with Brian. Brian and Blake waited for the chairs to be brought out so they could sit with their children on their laps. The fans went wild when the girls ran to Brian, as Ted carried Megan to her father. They loved watching as the band serenaded the kids. The fans also respected the bands' request not to film the kids, and always put their phones away without comment. The band was allowing their fans into their personal lives and it made the fans feel like they were more a part of the band because this was one part of the shows that was never filmed for the general public.

 

Brian and Justin made a deal with reporters in Pittsburgh; if the reporters respected Brian's off time with the kids and Justin than Brian would give them interviews when the band had news. Only two reporters were discluded from anything to do with any bands that Ted promoted and the NFL for his attacks on Emmett and Drew. Howard's career was in the toilet but it didn't stop him from trying. Brandon was on the no interview list just because Brian didn't like him. 

 

Kip ended up only getting fifteen years, but with no chance at parole when Vance testified against him. Vance was still in the music business but his label only managed to get the bands no other label would sign. Ted was the guy they all wanted since he didn't rape his clients when signing them. Ted also wouldn't sign someone on unless he saw the potential for long term careers in the industry. He left the one-hit wonders and the ones who couldn't carry a tune to people like Vance. 

 

Brian was contemplating taking a step back from the stage. He still loved to sing but enjoyed days on the island with his kids even more. Emmett agreed they would scale back since he and Drew wanted to have more children and wanted to give them as normal an upbringing as they could when all the fathers were famous.

 

Justin wiped the tears from his eyes as Brian and Blake started singing the song they wrote together about their children, ‘For the love of you'. It was their way of telling the world how each child showed them love grew with each one the group welcomed into the family. Justin always loved the part where Gus would go to Nell, playing the guitar then rounding up the kids as they all walked off stage together. Justin waited until the kids were taken to their grandparents before giving the fans one last thing they waited for, screaming as Brian bent Justin over, kissing the hell out of him and thereby declaring to the world that Justin was Brian's heart and soul.

 

 

 



This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1363