Wicked Games by starlight
Summary:

Brian wants to get to know Justin, but almost loses the chance because of a bet he had nothing to do with.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brandon, Brian Kinney, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Jennifer Taylor, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt, Todd (Backroom)
Tags: Anti-Michael, What if...
Genres: Alternate Universe
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 58544 Read: 70982 Published: Nov 17, 2018 Updated: Dec 29, 2019

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight

 

Justin and Molly wandered down the alley, looking for stuff to use for a metal sculpture she was working on. They both looked like hobos since they were dirty, smelled a bit off, and both had been drinking. While Molly's boyfriend Dean sat waiting in the truck the siblings giggled as they trespassed a few dumpsters, passing a bottle between them. Which is how they ended up out at two in the morning, still thinking it was a good time dumpster dive for scrap metal. Justin just hoped they had room in the warehouse to store what Molly swore she could use. She would eventually use everything, while their mother complained about what Molly hadn't used.

 

They'd almost filled the back of the truck Justin borrowed, and realized they should stop before Molly needed a new place to store all her finds. Justin wondered what The Stud was doing tonight, then letting go of the thought since he really didn't get why anyone would want the reputation the guy had. Maybe it was more that Justin wished he could be that free, but he wanted more than a one night stand. Justin turned in time to catch Molly when she almost slipped into the dumpster and then almost let her go when a voice behind him scared the shit out of him.

 

"What the hell are you doing?" Asked the angry voice behind them.

 

Justin turned to see the face of the guy he'd be willing break a few rules in his life for, only without the scowl. Justin had a few answers he could have given but decided against them, opting for a joke, in hopes the guy would just let them leave. He really didn't know why they bothered to stop at a dumpster behind a gay club anyway.  

 

"Checking that all the men in the club are practicing safe sex?" Justin snickered, hiccuping.

 

"It's kind of obvious we're digging in the dumpster, unless you're blind." Molly smarted off, falling when she stumbled to the ground, looking like a grubby urchin.

 

"Right now I wish I was blind, had lost my sense of smell, and hadn't said no to a blowjob. Instead I'm out here because I was told there were people diving in my dumpster." Brian told them.

 

"Oh... yeah I guess that's what it looks like... okay so it is what we were doing, but it's for a great reason... which I'm sort of not sure what it is yet, how about we get back to you with it later okay? So um... we'll just get going." Justin told him, not wanting to have to call his mother again to bail their asses out. It wasn't like they didn't pay her back, but to her the two of them landing in jail was the real problem. Which really didn't matter since the object was to get Mr Sexy Scowl to let them go.

 

"Yeah, not much in there other than used condoms anyway. Although I think I just figured out a new top shitty job to add to the top ten of all time shitty jobs." Molly giggled, trying to hi-five Justin and missing.

 

Brian worried, since they both looked like they needed help. Maybe he was getting soft. He looked as the blond kid turned around inching away and decided maybe not, when his dick stood at attention while he noticed an ass that could definitely launch a thousand hard-ons. Brian reined in his thoughts, he'd wanted to help, not lust after some teen. He got closer to the guy and realized he wasn't as young as Brian thought. Brian liked that the guy met his eyes, and felt the same pull Brian was feeling. Only the guy managed to act like he wasn't just checking Brian out, while Brian didn't care if the guy saw him leering. Brian got his head out of the gutter, going back to his original plan to see if he could help them in some way.

 

"Wait. Look, if you two need help..." Was all Brian got out before the police arrived.

 

"Fuck. Mom's going to kill us." Justin groaned as Molly giggled.

 

"Briiiian, let the police deal with them." Michael said, coming out and glaring at the kids who interrupted Michael's party that he insisted Brian throw for his birthday. Michael had been thrilled to see all the guys below him, jealous that Michael had Brian all to himself tonight. Michael got angry when the bouncer interrupted his party to tell Brian about the kids in the dumpster, and decided to deal with it his way when it dragged Brian's attention away from him. Getting pissed that Brandon didn't do anything but flirt when he walked up and Brian couldn't seem to drag his eyes away from the guy.

 

"Justin, we should stop meeting like this." Brandon laughed.

 

"Yeah, but if we did, you wouldn't be able to get my brother's ass anywhere near you." Molly snickered, grabbing the bottle and finishing it off.

 

"Are we going or are you two going to jail again?" Dean asked from the truck full of junk, not worried about jail since Brandon was the one here.

 

"Briiiian, are we going to jail?" Molly whined imitating Michael who was still glaring at her and Justin.

 

"Brian, let it go. I'll make sure they don't come back." Brandon offered.

 

Justin was disappointed that this was Brian, not that he had any reason to be. It made sense that Brian would be this gorgeous and that Justin wanted to lick him from head to toe. What didn't make sense was that he seemed to be a whole like nicer than Justin thought he would be.

 

"You know, Brandon's not so bad, really." Molly told Justin, not really wanting to face their mother if Brandon didn't get them out of this.

 

"He's the best, but unfortunately too pretty for me... why not help us out and show Brandon your goodies." Justin snickering when she flipped him off.

 

"Sorry Molls, but girl parts scare me." Brandon teased.

 

"So are we good to go?" Dean asked.

 

"That's up to my brother, Brian. Although why would you think you'd find anything here?" Brandon asked.

 

"I think Justin wanted to see The Stud." Molly snickered.

 

"How about letting us go, Stud?" Justin asked, hoping for it not to sound like he was flirting even though he really wanted to, since he was seeing the God of men for the first time up close. He had to reminded himself that Brian was a player in order to get his alcohol soaked brain back from the idea of offering a blow job to make up for the one Brian missed.

 

"I think it's time to get you two home, instead." Brandon said, pulling Justin to him, after seeing the way Justin couldn't take his eyes off Brian.

 

"How about I get them home instead." Brian said, not ready to let Justin leave.

 

"No you're not Brian, you're going to make Brandon deal with them for trespassing." Michael ordered when Brian and Brandon looked like they were going to pee circles around the blond kid.

 

"Dean will get us home, but thanks Brandon. Sorry about ruining your night Brian!" Justin told him, grabbing Molly and running to the truck. He needed to get some space between him and Brian before he did anything stupid, like forgetting Brian was all about one time only.

 

"It's not a problem, since I'm off duty now. We could go eat since you probably need something to absorb all the alcohol sloshing around." Brandon said as they made it to the truck.

 

"Dean can take us, and I'll take you up on lunch after I get back. It was nice to meet you Brian." Justin told him, jumping in to escape.

 

"Jesus, I should ask Carl what his cops are doing instead of their jobs!" Michael threatened.

 

"Michael go inside, and deal with the party you wanted." Brian growled, wanting to find out what Brandon knew about Justin.

 

"Not until you come with me." Michael said crossing his arms, waiting for Brian to do what he wanted.

 

"Brian, leave Justin alone. He doesn't need your brand of bullshit." Brandon told him, ignoring Michael.

 

"Please. Brian has better taste than you do." Michael sneered.

 

"If Justin wanted me, I'd consider myself lucky. Of course I think anyone is a leap up from someone like you." Brandon told him.

 

"Maybe Carl should know you like little boys too." Michael said, pissed that the kid managed to get the attention of not only Brian but fucking Brandon too.

 

"Why don't you go run your mouth like you always do, then once again you can look like the idiot you are." Brandon said, wondering why Brian was still friends with the fucker.

 

"At least I won't look I'm desperate, the way you did wanting some street trash!" Michael yelled.

 

"You don't need any help with looking desperate, since you cling to my brother when you know that's the only reason I put up with you." Brandon told him.

 

"Brandon." Brian warned, tired of the two fighting.

 

"He'd just jealous of you." Michael said wrapping his arm around Brian.

 

Brian stepped away to get Michael off of him, wanting more information on Justin. Which Brandon seemed reluctant to give him. Which meant Brandon really cared about Justin, and Brian needed to tread carefully. Brian and Brandon had agreed a long time ago to rules, and one was to respect certain friendships. Brian gave Brandon a pass on Michael, only because Michael went out of his way to alienate Brandon. Michael hadn't been happy when Brian didn't turn his back on Brandon when he found out Jack had two families that he shit all over. Brian and Brandon never talked about it, but they both carried the scars of Jack Kinney.

 

"Are you sure Justin's going to be okay getting home?" Brian asked quietly.

 

"Brian trust me, he doesn't need you riding to rescue him. He also wouldn't be interested in being another conquest of yours either. Justin is the kind you keep, not the kind you play with." Brandon told him.

 

"Like Brian would be interested in a loser like that." Michael said, not liking the fact that Brian and Brandon were ignoring him.

 

"Yeah, he wouldn't be interested in someone like Justin at all, since he likes losers like you. By the way, the guy you just called a loser owns one of the biggest animated and graphics companies in the business. Which means he wouldn't expect Brian to pay for his life like you do." Brandon said, angry that Michael really thought he had the right to say anything about Justin.

 

"Right. And when he's not running some ‘company' he's jumping in dumpsters." Michael snorted rolling his eyes.

 

"Jaybird?" Brian asked Brandon, ignoring Michael.

 

"Brian, let it go." Brandon said, not sure Brian could give Justin the things neither he or Brian believed in.

 

"You want him?" Brian asked, not sure he could back off for Brandon.

 

"I like him as a person, but I'm not sure I could be who he would want me to be. Which I'd at least try to do for him. Unless you can say the same thing, leave Justin Taylor alone." Brandon told him.

 

"I can't." Brian told him, honestly.

 

"Brian, he'd want monogamy, which is something you don't agree with, and he knows about your reputation." Brandon told him.

 

"How?" Brian asked, unsure of why he wasn't happy to hear that.

 

"I didn't tell him anything. Your reputation for one time only is pretty much the talk of Liberty Avenue. I mentioned we were brothers, and he asked if the shit people said about you was true. I didn't lie, just told him you'd never been interested in more." Brandon told him.

 

"Was he interested in me for a reason?" Brian asked Brandon.

 

"He just seemed curious about you, since he knows about Kinnetik." Brandon told him.

 

"Why the fuck would you bother with the twink, he isn't worth giving up your reputation over." Michael told Brian.

 

"Michael, either go to your party or go home, but either way go somewhere else." Brian told him, walking him to the backdoor and pushing him through it before slamming it in Michael's face.

 

Michael stood there, not liking the way Brandon smirked as Brian had dragged him to the door. He was also pissed that Brian seemed interested in the twink, more than Michael has ever seen before. He ran back into the club, trying to think of something he could do to make sure the kid didn't want anything to do with Brian. Michael didn't like the way Brian was acting, as if he would really give up the reputation he was famous for over a blond piece of ass. Michael thought about it and realized if Justin didn't like games. Which meant that Michael's idea would guarantee Brian didn't stand a chance with the guy. Michael smirked and went to Emmett since he wanted this spread all over the place.

 

"Hey Sweetie, where have you been?" Emmett asked, ready to bail on the lame ass party Michael wanted.

 

"Brian and Brandon were out back making a bet over who could get some new guy in bed first." Michael told him.

 

"Really, did they say who?" Emmett asked, not being able to resist the gossip.

 

"I think his name is... maybe I shouldn't tell you, but it's just between us right?" Michael said, watching Emmett get excited. "Justin Taylor. Apparently they thought it would be fun to play the game with only one name instead of ten this time." Michael told Emmett.

 

"Justin Taylor?" Emmett asked, to make sure he had the right name when he told Teddy and maybe a few of the others, who would be happy to bet with Brian and Brandon.

 

Michael sat smiling as the rumor started to spread over the whole club. By the end of the night, Michael was satisfied that Justin Taylor wouldn't give Brian the time of day. He didn't even notice that Brian hadn't come back in the club, until he needed a ride home and was told Brian had left hours ago. Which meant he didn't have a clue what Michael had done.


End Notes:

I have three chapters done for this one, and promise to make sure all my stories get updated more. Works been all over the place leaving me with very little free time lately. Thanks for all your encouragement.

 

Star

Chapter 2 by starlight

Justin was nursing the mother of all hangovers when his mother showed up at the warehouse, wanting to have breakfast with her children. Justin hoped she didn’t notice the piles were bigger since she’d be quizzing them on how it happened when they promised not to add to Molly’s mess until she used most of it. There were days when Justin just wanted to yell that Molly was an adult, but he knew his mother was only concerned that they both might end up dying under a pile of crap. He gulped down his glass of water with two aspirin, planning to go to work and avoid the daily mom guilt over him working too hard. 

 

“So I was hoping you guys would come to eat breakfast with your poor old mother,” Jen said when she found Justin in the kitchen.

 

“I really need to check on a few projects before I have to go meet with Brett about his movie,” Justin told her.

 

“Which you can do after we have breakfast with our poor elderly mother,” Molly told him, unwilling to be the sole focus of Jen’s mothering.

 

“I’ll take you guys to a greasy diner since I promised to bring you guys to meet my friend from PFLAG,” Jen told them.

 

Justin debated, while his head pounded, his stomach was winning. It wasn’t often his mother offered to go out of her comfort zone. She wasn’t asking a lot, and he’d been gone so often that one breakfast wasn’t asking too much. This way he wouldn’t feel bad since he would be out of town for the next two weeks. Jen knew she’d won when Justin’s stomach roared its agreement.

 

Jen had hoped that Justin would meet some people, since his life seemed to be only about working and what Molly or Daphne wanted him to do. She wanted him to meet someone and hopefully fall in love so he could see there was more to life than working. Deb agreed with Jen, saying she wanted her son to meet someone. And if nothing else Justin would have a few friends, being introduced to Deb’s boys. Jen wasn’t matchmaking since Justin would kill her, just wanting to see her son have fun without having to bail him and his sister out all the time.

 

When they walked into the diner Deb was standing at the booth in the back talking to Michael, but turned, happy to see Jen walk in with two others. She pointed to the booth in front of the one Michael was in as she came over to meet Jen’s kids. Deb really didn’t want to listen to Michael whine about Brian taking off on him the night before.

 

“So who do you have with you?” Deb asked Jen.

 

“My son Justin and daughter Molly,” Jen told her.

 

Michael looked up hearing the names, and for a second wasn’t sure it was the same kids from last night. He realized he was wrong last night because they looked older than he thought they were. He grudgingly admitted that cleaned up, the blond had every eye in the diner on him. Which Michael didn’t care about as long as it wasn’t Brian’s attention Justin was getting. He was about to say something when Emmett and Ted walked in, and like everyone else, they looked Justin up and down before walking by him. Emmett sat in front of Michael while Ted bumped Michael over to keep staring at the blond. Michael didn’t know what to make of Ted acting like someone was more interesting than Michael. 

 

“Do you know who the cutie is?” Emmett asked.

 

“Friends of Ma’s. So how big is the betting pool so far?” Michael asked, bumping Ted to get him to quit drooling over Justin.

 

“The same as any bet Brandon and Brian make. Everyone’s sort of more interested in seeing the guy since it’s the first time the two of them ever focused on one guy.” Ted told him.

 

“Apparently no one’s ever heard of him.” Emmett put in.

 

Michael sat there trying to figure out how to get Emmett to say Justin’s name, not wanting to be the one to do it. He didn’t want to be blamed for it when Emmett or Ted could be. Now that Michael knew his mother was friends with Justin’s mother, the last thing he needed was her getting pissed at Brian, only to find out Michael started the whole thing. Justin walked by to go to the bathroom, and Michael didn’t like that Emmett and Ted both looked, forgetting all about the conversation.

 

“I’m sure someone knows him,” Michael told them.

 

“Knows who?” Deb asked, turning from talking to Jen.

 

”Justin Taylor,” Emmett told Deb.

 

“Why do you want to meet him?” Deb asked, smiling thinking it would be good for Michael to be interested in someone other than Brian.

 

“Apparently he’s the new bet between Brian and Brandon,” Ted told her.

 

“You both tell Brian and Brandon not this one,” Deb told them, hoping to fix it before Jen understood what exactly the bet was.

 

“Like they ever listen when they are focusing on a bet,” Ted told her.

 

“What bet?” Jen asked, not liking that it was over Justin.

 

“Don’t worry about it, the boys are just messing around,” Deb said planning to stop it before it upset Jen.

 

“Our friends like to bet on who can get…” Emmett stopped when Deb glared at him.

 

“What?” Ted asked since normally Deb liked to gossip.

 

“What bet do your friends have on my son?” Jen asked as Justin came back.

 

“Someone has a bet on me?” Justin asked, trying to figure out why his mother looked angry.

 

“Um… hi I'm Emmett and this is Ted… who… I mean… and you are...?” Emmett asked, practically ready to shoot himself when he realized why Deb was trying to shut them up. While Michael hid behind the menu, hoping Justin wouldn’t remember him.

 

“My son, Justin Taylor, the one your friends bet on,” Jen told him.

 

“I’m sorry, bet on me?” Justin said, looking at everyone.

 

“Shit,” Emmett whispered to Ted.

 

“What did they bet?” Jen asked again.

 

“Jen, don’t worry about it, I’ll deal with it,” Deb told her, planning to visit Brian then Brandon.

 

“I saw you last night didn’t I?” Justin asked, looking at Michael since he looked vaguely familiar.

 

“This is my son, Michael,” Deb said hoping to get off the subject.

 

“Hey, weren’t you the guy who tried to get us arrested last night?” Molly asked, remembering the whiny asshole from the night before.

 

“Why would he have you arrested?” Jen asked, wanting to know that answer first.

 

Justin remembered Michael now, but he wanted to know why anyone would bet on him. “So what’s the bet about?” Justin asked.

 

“It’s not that big a deal… you know the guys just like to compete, but it doesn’t mean anything.” Emmett said trying to figure out a way around the train wreck in front of him.

 

“So, anyone know who the guy Brian and Brandon are trying to get in bed?” Todd asked loudly as he walked with some guys.

 

“Who would that be?” Jen asked, finally understanding why Deb looked worried.

 

“Justin Taylor. Isn’t that the name?” Todd asked, looking around then to Emmett, Ted, and Michael.

 

“Is that right?” Justin asked, pissed that Brandon would be involved in this when Justin thought Brandon was really his friend.

 

Emmett felt like a complete shit for repeating what Michael had said. But he was only repeating what Michael had told him Brian and Brandon bet on. Most of the guys on the avenue love the idea of being part of the bets, but Emmett had a feeling that wasn’t the case here.

 

“How many people know about this bet?” Jen asked, grabbing her coat and purse to leave before she ended up in jail.

 

“Shit Jen, something like this, they all know. I’ll talk to Brian and Brandon to make sure they end the bet.” Deb told her, ready to murder them.

 

“Did all of you guys know about it?” Justin asked, looking around the diner as everyone nodded.

 

Michael ignored Justin. Emmett looked guilty, and Ted nodded with everyone else since the guy deserved the truth.

 

“Mom, let’s go,” Justin told her when he didn’t see the point in staying.

 

“I’m going to kick Brandon’s ass,” Molly told Justin as they were walking out.

 

Justin opened the door as Brian was coming in, ready to hit him when he smiled at Justin. “I only have one thing to say to you and your brother. FUCK OFF!” Justin told him, pushing him out of the way as he stormed off with his mother and sister. Deb grabbed Brian before he could chase after Justin, planning to rip into him.

 

“Look, I know you and Brandon do this shit all the time, but both of you are calling it off,” Deb ordered him.

 

“What the fuck are you talking about?” Brian asked, thoroughly confused.

 

“Ma, leave it alone,” Michael told her, making Emmett wonder why Brian would be confused, and Michael suddenly looked worried.

 

“This fuck off bet you and Brandon have over Justin Taylor,” Deb told him when Brian acted like he didn’t know what she was talking about.

 

“What fuck off bet?” Brian asked, looking at everyone when they all seemed to know but him.

 

“Brian, you and Brandon are both going to call it off. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!” Deb insisted.

 

“What bet?” Brian asked loudly, waiting for an answer.

 

“From what I heard, you and Brandon bet over which one of you could get Justin Taylor into bed first. It was all over Babylon last night.” Todd told him, not liking that it was starting to sound like someone made it up.

 

“Where did you hear it from?” Brian asked Todd.

 

“I heard it from guys in the backroom, who heard it from someone else,” Todd told him.

 

“Let me correct the gossip for everyone. Justin Taylor better not be anyone’s bet or they deal with me.” Brian told them loudly, walking out and planning to call Brandon.

 

“Why the fuck would you make that up?” Emmett whispered to Michael.

 

“You’re the one who told half the club. Maybe you should be more worried about that since Brian will find out.” Michael said, already planning to make sure Emmett got the blame.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3 by starlight

Justin barely managed not to yell at his employees, who all seemed to know about the bet. They all seemed to think Justin should be honored that both of the most sought-after guys on Liberty Avenue were betting over him since for the first time he was the only person they both wanted. Justin didn’t get how anyone would be thrilled that guys only wanted to bed him. If he was honest, he was disappointed because he was actually attracted to Brian, and like an idiot wanted him to be different from the rumors about him. Brian was impressive without the reputation. He had started a company on a shoestring budget and became one of the biggest firms on the coast. Yet the only thing anyone saw when it came to Brian was his reputation. Which Justin was just as guilty of doing because it was why he avoided anything to do with Brandon’s brother. Justin normally didn’t go for guys because of their looks, but he couldn’t deny Brian’s looks were hard to ignore, and the fact that even drunk Justin could see Brian wanted to offer him and Molly help. Granted, he likely thought they were two homeless kids since they both ended up having to take several showers to get rid of the stink last night, but he’d still wanted to help them. To Justin, at the time it said Brian might be worth getting to know. Justin turned on his computer, needing to get to work and not think about Brian Kinney anymore.

 

He’d been working for a few hours when Daphne showed up, which usually made him laugh when the IT guys suddenly came out of their caves in hopes of getting her attention. Daphne was sweet about it and usually made their day by not acting like they didn’t stand a chance with her. He figured she’d talked to Molly since she waved but ran past all of them to get to him.

 

“So I hear your ass is worthy of a bet,” Daphne said, laughing at Justin’s scowl. “Think about it this way, you get rid of the V card with a guy who knows what he’s doing.” 

 

“Well, then I guess I should just call Brian and tell him to come over because that’s really all that’s important to me,” Justin said, rolling his eyes.

 

“You know I was just kidding. But Sweetie, you need to get a life outside of your sister and work.” Daphne told him.

 

“What did you do, talk to my mother too? Since she was the reason I ended up finding out people were betting over me, I think we can safely say she didn’t do great in her quest to get Justin out of his hole. It just pisses me off that Brandon would do this to me.” Justin told her.

 

“Are you even sure he would? He knows what it would do to his friendship with you.” Daphne told him, just not seeing Brandon do something like this.

 

“He and his brother do this all the time. And while he accepted I only wanted to be friends, I know he wanted more. I could tell he didn’t like that I was interested in his brother.” Justin told her.

 

“You actually admitted you were interested in someone? I think I need a drink or ten.” Daphne joked.

 

“Well, it doesn’t matter because all he was interested in was winning a bet,” Justin told her.

 

“Was he interested in you?” Daphne asked.

 

“I thought so, but I guess he only saw another one night stand and a way to win against Brandon,” Justin told her.

 

“That’s too bad since for the first time you were actually interested in someone. I need to get going, my mother wanted to have lunch and likely throw an eligible bachelor at me. Maybe I should invite one of your guys to throw her off.” Daphne joked, laughing at what her mother would think of the entire IT department being her date today.

 

“You’d make their day, but I need them to get busy so I can have everything ready for Brett by tomorrow,” Justin told her.

 

Daphne got up, deciding to go see the guy Justin was actually interested in. It’s not like she really had to be at lunch since her sister was planning to be there. Like Justin, she’d heard of Brian Kinney through Brandon, and wanted to see if he was really worthy of her best friend. She got to Kinnetik, liking the atmosphere until a gorgeous man came thundering out of his office, berating to guys for subpar work. She was worried they would pee their pants when Brian Kinney asked what the hell he was looking at. Daphne crept up behind him to look at the board in his hand and had to agree. Brian turned his stormy gaze on her, moving the board so she could see it better.

 

“Would you buy these shoes, if this was the print ad you saw?” Brian asked her, not realizing she didn’t work for him.

 

“I’m sure my mother would since the woman looks like she belongs in the kitchen complete with the apron, pearls, and stilettos. Granted the shoes are to die for, but the last thing I would want would be to be thought of like my mother.” Daphne told him, thinking her mother wouldn’t be caught dead cooking.

 

“Are you two getting what is wrong with this?” Brian then asked the idiot twins.

 

“I’m wondering why you hired them.” Daphne put in.

 

“Trust me, not a day goes by I don’t ask my art director the same question,” Brian mumbled then realized he didn’t have a clue who this was. “Are you here for an appointment?” Brian asked since she looked overdressed to be at work.

 

“Nope. Just trying to decide if I should get my brothers to kick your ass for betting on my best friend.” Daphne told him.

 

“Justin Taylor was not a bet,” Brian told her.

 

“How about we go somewhere private and you tell me exactly what Justin Taylor would be to you,” Daphne told him, walking right into his office.

 

Brian sat down, not sure if he should really bother since he didn’t really know anything but that he wanted Justin in his bed. Which just made the bet more believable.

 

“How about I start, because your the first man Justin actually admitted he was attracted to, and that’s an accomplishment worth celebrating since he’s been around Brandon and only saw ‘friend’. I had high hopes for Brandon, but apparently, you do it for Justin. So I’m not happy that you and your brother decided to treat Justin like a prize instead of the great guy he is.” Daphne told him.

 

“I wouldn’t know because I don’t know Justin and I didn’t make a bet with Brandon over him,” Brian told her.

 

“Yet it’s all over town, and not something you and your brother haven’t done in the past. I could see Brandon being jealous, but not doing something like this. Maybe I’m biased because I like Brandon and could tell he didn’t have a lot of people in his life he was close to, so I couldn’t see him wanting to lose what he has with Justin. But there’s also the fact that he idolizes you and maybe he stupidly forgot what this would do to his friendship with Justin.” Daphne told him.

 

“I haven’t talked to Brandon about the bet yet. At first, I thought this was his way of getting me to leave Justin alone since I didn’t hide I was interested, but I know Brandon wouldn’t do this to someone if he really cares about them.” Brian told her, not wanting Brandon to lose someone if he managed to let them in his life.

 

“Then how did it get started if neither of you made the bet? Justin isn’t someone anyone would know about on Liberty Avenue, yet now he’s infamous.” Daphne told him.

 

“How did he avoid people meeting him if he was friends with Brandon?” Brian asked.

 

“They met the first time Brandon was arresting him and Molly and started talking when Brandon had to arrest them again. After that Brandon hung out at the warehouse on his days off. I got the feeling he wasn’t used to people including him.” She told him.

 

“Why the hell was arresting them?” Brian asked.

 

“Because Molly needs materials for her work. She sculpts metal into works of art. Justin gets dragged along because he doesn’t want Molly alone in the places she looks for crap. Which none of us get because she could just buy what she needed, but her artistic brain thinks it’s more important to stop filling our landfills with garbage that could be reused. Plus she likes the drama that comes with assholes arresting her for wanting to save the world from becoming a landfill. Only Justin ends up jumping into it with her because that’s the kind of brother he is.” Daphne told him, thinking Brian could understand being protective of a sibling.

 

“Even if I was interested in Justin, I doubt he would want anything to do with me,” Brian told her.

 

“Not if everyone thinks the only thing you want is to get him in bed to win a bet,” Daphne answered as Ted braved the wrath of Brian to give him the reports he asked for.

 

“I do want him in my bed, so that part was right, but like I keep saying, I didn’t make a bet over it,” Brian told her, wondering why Ted was trying to sneak out. “Theodore get your ass in here, I know you and Emmett told everyone about the bet.”

 

Ted groaned, wishing he could redo last night, but knowing Brian needed to be told the truth, even if he didn’t believe him. “I only repeated what Emmett told me since it was what Michael told him. We didn’t know it wasn’t like all the other times you and Brandon made bets. But after you left the diner, Michael warned Emmett that he’d make it sound like Emmett was the one you should be pissed at.” 

 

“Why would this Michael give a shit if Brian was interested in Justin?” Daphne asked, wondering why Ted looked like she was asking a state secret.

 

“Boss, it’s not like you don’t know why Michael would have a problem with it,” Ted told him.

 

“Oh, that makes so much more sense now. He’s jealous that Brian would want someone other than him.” Daphne said, reading what Ted hadn’t said and Brian didn’t seem to want to acknowledge.

 

“Michael also knows I’m not interested in anything beyond being friends,” Brian told her.

 

“And as long as you only trick he could live with it,” Ted told him.

 

“Was he there when you met Justin?” Daphne asked.

 

“Yes. And he wasn’t happy when I offered to take Justin home, and then he asked Brandon about him.” Brian said, starting to replay the night and realized he didn’t hide his interest in Justin from Michael or Brandon.

 

“So he decided to make sure Justin didn’t want anything to do with you,” Ted told him.

 

“Is this normal for Michael, making sure Brian can’t have a life outside of him?” Daphne asked Ted.

 

“Michael thinks Brian not wanting a relationship is the reason he isn’t marrying Michael,” Ted told her.

 

“You know what, maybe Brian should just stick with Michael because Justin doesn’t need a fatal attraction,” Daphne told Ted.

 

“Michael would just try to whine him in submission.” Ted joked.

 

“I’m right here. And if I want Justin, Michael isn’t going to stop me.” Brian told them.

 

“Just make sure my best friend doesn’t live to regret giving you a chance,” Daphne warned him.

 

“I have to get that chance first,” Brian told her.

 

“You’ve got two weeks to figure out how, because Justin’s going to be out of town. Which also means he’ll have plenty of time to get over you since Brett will try to convince Justin to give him a chance.” Daphne lied, not even feeling bad about it.

 

“Brett?” Brian ask.

 

“Brett Keller. The director. Justin’s working on his movie. Brett wants Justin for more, and normally Justin wouldn’t fall for his shit, but he doesn’t want to be interested in you, and that gives Brett an opening.” She told Brian, before getting up and leaving.

 

“Ted, tell Cynthia to set up a meeting with Brett Keller for me. Also, make sure Emmett tells everyone my new bet.” Brian told him.

 

“Boss, do you really think it’s a good idea?” Ted asked.

 

“It will make sure Michael understands exactly how I feel,” Brian told him.

 

“What’s the bet?” Ted said, thinking Michael deserved this for using Emmett the way he did.

 

“Brian Kinney is planning to settle down,” Brian told him. “I need everything Cynthia can find on Justin Taylor, and you’re in charge of Babylon and Kinnetik for the next two weeks.

 

“Didn’t you just meet Justin?” Ted asked.

 

“Yes. But you need to make Michael think I’m about to give him exactly what Michael’s always wanted. While I go figure out if Justin is more than just a great ass. If Michael wants to play games, then it’s time one is played on him.” Brian told him, dismissing Ted.

 

Michael stood around Woody’s all night, hoping everyone would still be gossiping about the bet, only to find out they were worried about pissing off Brian or Brandon. He didn’t like the way Brian acted as if he was claiming Justin, and knew he needed to do something fast. He avoided Babylon since he didn’t need anyone thinking it was him who started the whole rumor. Instead, he went to all the other clubs, whispering to the other tops that there was a contest to see who could get Justin Taylor first. By the end of the night, there was a frenzy to find out who Justin Taylor was and plans to win over Brian or Brandon. Michael was thrilled that Justin would be busy fighting off all of Liberty Avenue and blame Brian for it all. Michael then headed to Babylon, planning to make sure Brian wouldn’t listen if Emmett told him who really started the whole thing.

 

Emmett felt guilty all night, wanting to apologize for listening to Michael. He planned to tell Brian how the whole thing started. Emmett had never been on the receiving end of Brian’s hate campaign. And even if he deserved some of it for helping Michael, Emmett wasn’t going to let Michael get what he wanted from this. Seeing Michael get more frustrated as Brian didn’t appear all night, Emmett decided to leave until he could talk to Brian without Michael finding a way to interrupt. He was just about to go see if Deb could tell him how to find Justin. He planned to tell him the truth because neither Brian or Brandon deserved what Michael had done.

 

Brandon was ready to kill someone after seeing Justin. He had no idea what he’d done to have Justin slam a door in his face, yelling that he no longer want to see Brandon and he wanted absolutely nothing to do with him or his brother. He’d been lost as to why Justin was angry at him until he ran into a few guys as he walked towards Babylon. They told Brandon all the gossip they’d heard yesterday and today. Justin was now a free for all with all the tops on Liberty Avenue, not just Brian and Brandon. Brandon was pissed that Brian fooled him into believing his interest in Justin was different, instead, doing exactly what Brandon told him not to do. Brandon was hurt that Brian would do this to him and cause a problem with his friendship with Justin since Justin was really the only friend Brandon had. Brandon was on the sidewalk looking ready to murder someone and Emmett decided he could keep Brian from having to clean up Michael’s blood and keep Brandon from a visit to his own precinct.

 

“Brian isn’t here, and Michael is worth it,” Emmett told him, following him into the club.

 

“I don’t care about anything but the fact that Justin thinks I’m involved in this. Brian needs to stop this shit because apparently, all the tops are jumping on Brian’s bet.” Brandon told him.

 

“What?” Emmett asked, wondering what the hell was going on.

 

“Someone, three guesses who, went around to the other clubs changing the bet. The one that I didn’t make with Brian. Now all the tops are planning to try to get to Justin first.” Brandon told him, getting angry again and turning around to go kick his brother’s ass.

 

“You and Brian didn’t make a bet?” Emmett asked, just because he wished they had for his sake.

 

“No. I told Brian last night that if he was really interested in Justin, this kind of shit would lose him any chance that Justin would want anything to do with him.” Brandon told him.

 

“What did Brian say when you told him that?” Emmett asked.

 

“He was still interested, in a way I’ve never seen him be over any guy. ” Brandon told him.

 

“Was Michael there when you told Brian?” Emmett asked.

 

“Yes. He was running his mouth as usual. He was pissed that Brian was paying attention to Justin and not him.” Brandon told him.

 

“Then he came in the club and told me that you and Brian made a bet over Justin. Which I repeated like he wanted me to, and now feel like a total asshole for doing. But you and Brian never cared before… Why couldn't I keep my mouth shut just this once? Because I have no life that's why!” Emmett told him.

 

“Emmet, breathe,” Brandon said, trying not to laugh at Emmett’s display, but giving in because it felt good to laugh after the day he had. “You didn’t do anything that normally wouldn’t have happened if Brian and I had actually bet again. At least I know exactly who did it, and I know why he did it.” 

 

“I just don’t get why Michael thinks this would do anything but piss both of you off. I mean I get he doesn’t like you because Brian wants you around, and Teddy and I like you and don’t like the way he talks about you. What surprises me is that he doesn’t get alienating you isn’t going to make Brian get you out of his life.” Emmett told him.

 

“Michael doesn’t like anyone who takes Brian’s attention away from him. If you’d seen the way Brian looked at Justin last night you’d get why Michael would have done anything to make sure Justin wouldn’t want anything to do with Brian or me. Because I would have found a way to get Justin to give him a chance. My brother needs someone in his life that wants him, not uses him.” Brandon said, ready to strangle Michael.

 

“You really think Brian was that interested from one meeting?” Emmett asked.

 

“Brian couldn’t take his eyes off Justin, and Justin actually flirted, which he doesn’t do. I would have put it off to the fact that Justin was drunk, but even drunk, Justin doesn’t flirt, at all.” Brandon told him, thinking for once Michael should get what was coming to him.

 

“I could try to talk to Justin, and explain that it was really my fault,” Emmett told him.

 

“He slammed the door in my face, so I doubt he’d listen if we went to his house.” Brandon told him.

 

“Emmett. You’re just who I was looking for.” Ted told him.

 

“Why are you looking for Emmett?” Michael said, ignoring Brandon.

 

“I heard about a new bet,” Ted told them.

 

“When Brian hears about the new bet going around, he’ll see the twink isn’t worth bothering with.” Michael cut in.

 

“I doubt anyone will care since the new bet is whether or not it’s true that Brian plans to settle down. I heard Brian telling Cynthia before he left for business to have houses ready for him to look at since he wants to get serious instead of playing around.” Ted told them.

 

“Are you betting against Brian settling down?” Emmett asked.

 

“Brian told me he didn’t see the point in wasting any more time on tricks,” Ted told him, watching as Michael took off excited. Which was exactly what Ted was aiming for since he started this bullshit.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by starlight

Brett Keller laughed when Daphne called him asking him to pretty please hit on Justin for her. She even offered to explain it to Conner, since it might make Brett’s boyfriend kick his ass if he hit on Justin. Connor on the other hand, had a hard time believing Justin was finally interested in someone. Both of them had watched Justin ignore practically any man who tried to get his attention and we're curious to find out what made Brian Kinney different. Which was why Brett took the meeting asked of him by Brian’s PA. Brett wasn’t looking for a new firm for advertising, but Brian got a meeting just because he and Connor were curious about the man. Also because they both were protective of Justin and wanted to make sure Brian wasn’t going to hurt him. Brett and Connor managed to act like they hadn’t a clue about Brian, since Daphne explained Justin would likely kill them all if he found out what they were up to. Connor and Brett were both willing to make Brian think he had competition, just to see if he was here for more than a roll in the hay. Only Justin looked at both of them like they were crazy when they tried to hit on him in front of Brian.

 

Of course, keeping Justin in the same room proved a bit difficult when he saw Brian standing in Brett’s house. Brian started to wonder why his brother would tell Justin so much about the stupid shit the two of them did to win a bet when the blond commented at seeing him,

 

“Really? I guess I should be as honored as the other guy you hopped a flight to win the last bet against Brandon? Hate to disappoint you but I’m not honored or impressed at the lack of originality.” Justin said, leaving the room with Connor following him.

 

“That went well.” Brett said, laughing.

 

“So Daphne lied to me.” Brian said, not giving up.

 

“About me, yeah. In case you didn’t catch it, I’m only interested in the one following your boy. And before you get any help from me or Connor, know that neither of us will let you near Justin if all you are after is a trick.” Brett told him.

 

“I don’t know what I want from him. Do I want to bed him? Yes. I can say I know that. A relationship? I’ve never wanted one before now.” Brian told him, honestly.

 

“Then why come?” Brett asked him.

 

“To figure out why, for the first time, I want to try a relationship with someone who I barely know.” Brian told him.

 

“Why would you want one with Justin, if like you say you haven’t a clue how to have one and you barely know him?” Brett asked.

 

“Maybe because he’s more impressed with my success at business than my reputation around town.” Brian tells him.

 

“Just make sure he doesn’t get hurt, or you’ll deal with Connor and me.” Brett told him, willing to give Brian a chance since Justin didn’t just ignore him the way he ignored all other men who tried to get the blond’s attention.

 

“Any idea where they went?” Brian asked.

 

“I’m sure we’ll be bailing them out later, since Connor indulges Justin and Molly. For now, you come with me and tell me why I should change ad firms.” Brett told him.

 

Connor dragged Justin to the car, while Justin ranted about Brian showing up. It was the only reason Connor hadn’t kicked Brian out when Justin looked angry to see him, because Justin actually gave a shit enough to be angry. Connor wondered how Justin missed the heat in Brian’s eyes studying every inch of him. Daphne told him that Justin still believed it was all a bet, and how it was all because Brian’s stalker could tell he was interested in Justin. That worried Connor more, since in his world stalkers weren’t fun or funny. She had a guy named Ted call and explain all about Michael Novotny and his wishful thinking. Connor told Brett if Justin decided to give Brian a chance, then he and Brett were going to go to Pittsburgh and make sure Michael didn’t become a problem for Justin.

 

“Where are we going?” Justin asked.

 

“To see Finn. He wanted to see you while you were here.” Connor told him.

 

“Is he going to hit on me too?” Justin asked.

 

“No. And I doubt it would matter if he did, since you're obviously interested in someone else.” Connor told him.

 

Justin wanted to deny wanting anything to do with Brian, but he’d never been one to deny the truth. “I don’t get why I can’t stop thinking about him. He’s everything I don’t want, but at the same time I think he’s more than people see in him.”

 

“Why not give him a chance to show you who he is?” Connor asked.

 

“Because he could break my heart if I find out I’m wrong.” Justin answered.

 

“Only if you let him.” Connor told him, pulling up to Finn’s house.

 

Finn was waiting for Justin and dragged him into the house, telling on Connor, Brett, and Daphne. While Connor’s nose followed the smell of Finn’s fabulous cooking. It was one of the reasons they put up with him. 

 

“So did you think they were nuts when they started hitting on you?” Finn asked, giggling when Conner groaned.

 

*************************************************

 

Lindsay came storming past Cynthia, who waved as Lindsay kept repeating that Brian had lost his mind. It was why she went to Brian’s office, to ask what the hell he was up to now. Only to find out Brian was out of town and to be told that Ted would explain it all to her. Ted barely got past Justin’s name and the bet that Emmett and he both help spread around Babylon, before Lindsay interrupted.

 

“Please tell me they did not bet on Justin.” Lindsay demanded.

 

“Do you know him?” Ted asked.

 

“I met him through Brandon when we ran into them at an art show at PIFA. He got attached to Gus, so he comes over often.” Lindsay told him, warning him with her eyes that she’d kill Brian if they bet on Justin.

 

“First, it wasn’t Brian or Brandon who bet on Justin. Michael made that one up all on his own, and then took it further by getting all the tops thinking it was one big game for all of them. Which Brian doesn’t know about yet, since he followed Justin to California. He will likely kill Michael for doing that when he comes back. How did Brian miss that you’re friends with Justin?” Ted asked.

 

“Mel and I have friends outside of you guys, but it was more that Justin didn’t seem interested in meeting Brian.” Lindsay told him.

 

“Right now I don’t think he is either, but Brian still went after him.” Ted told her.

 

“Which doesn’t explain why Michael thinks Brian wants to settle down with him.” Lindsay told Ted, wanting to know why Michael was acting like Brian wanted him.

 

“Brian wasn’t happy about what Michael did because he showed more interest then usual in Justin.  It also doesn’t help that Deb is ready to kill both Brandon and Brian over this, and that she doesn’t know Michael started the whole thing. She’s been by here, not willing to listen to anyone, since Michael apparently told her Brandon really started the whole thing to get Brian out of trouble with Deb. Which we both know is because he doesn’t want Deb pissed at Brian when Michael thinks he’s about to get what he wants.” Ted told her.

 

“Any idea how Justin reacted to this, and whether Brandon’s okay?” Lindsay asked.

 

“So far Justin believes the bet is true. Brandon’s been upset because Justin wouldn’t give him a chance to explain anything.” Ted told her.

 

“I’ll get him to listen, but you better tell Brian that if he fucks this up I won’t stand in the way of Mel cutting off his balls.” Lindsay told him, getting up and making plans to keep Michael busy.

 

Michael was standing in the waiting area, shoving specs for houses at Cynthia. He tried to convince her Brian wanted him to help since in the end it he would be the one to live in the house with Brian. Cynthia sat listening to Michael, willing to help Brian teach the idiot a lesson. She never understood why Brian put up with Michael in the first place. Hell, she didn’t get why any of the guys did. Emmett, Ted, and Brian made sense to Cynthia since all of them worked their asses off for everything. Michael, on the other hand, acted as if they were all put on the planet to serve his needs. Michael figured out a long time ago that fucking with Cynthia only led to Brian kicking him out of the office. Since then he tried to act as if they were friends, which Cynthia saw right through and wasn’t willing to pretend with him, until now. For the first time Brian wasn’t offering excuses for Michael, because it seemed that Justin Taylor interested Brian. Cynthia read through most of the information on Justin Taylor that she was able to get and wondered how Brian would deal with someone who was his equal in almost every way. They both worked their asses off to become giants in their designated fields, and both were sought after for it. The only difference was that Brian managed to play while doing it. Justin’s life consisted of working and helping his family and friends. Cynthia looked at the houses Michael picked out, while he went on and on about how great it would be to be included in all the neighborhood events. She just nodded and told Michael she’d make sure what he wanted was included in the file, skipping over the fact that the file didn’t exist.

 

Michael had been so excited about Brian that he ran to tell his mother, only to have her still too upset at Brian to listen to him. Michael knew he had to find a way to take the blame off Brian, since he didn’t need Deb causing them problems when Brian came back from wherever he’d taken off to. He managed to weave a story of Brandon being the one who started the bet and Emmett accidentally telling everyone what Brandon told him. Michael figured Emmett would thank him for making it sound like it was Brandon’s fault and not Emmett’s. He left when she wanted him to help her explain it to Jen, and offer to befriend Justin. Michael wasn’t going to allow that asshole in his circle of friends, since even he couldn’t pretend Brian’s interest in the guy didn’t make him competition for Michael. 

 

He was about to leave after talking to Cynthia until he saw Lindsay walking out of Ted’s office. He needed to make sure to spend time with Gus, and Lindsay was the only way that would happen. Lindsay never hid the fact that she didn’t like Michael or the fact that he was friends with Brian. Michael knew it was because she wanted Brian for herself and was still pissed that he had managed to keep Brian saying no to a baby for a couple of years. Michael still wasn’t sure how she managed to get him to agree in the end, but he’d been an asshole to her ever since. Lindsay paid him back by making sure Gus got more attention from Brian than Michael did.

 

“How’s Gus doing?” Michael asked.

 

“Great. Brandon came by and took him to the park. Brandon just loves the fact that we can share Gus with him, and Gus loves spending time with his family.” Lindsay told him, knowing it pissed him off that she welcomed Brandon and not Michael.

 

“I was thinking I should spend some time with Gus, especially now.” Michael hinted.

 

“With Brian settling down, it would make sense since it could make the difference in what kind of relationship you would have with Brian.” Lindsay told him, acting as if she believed Michael. “It’s just that Gus isn’t very comfortable with you, and it’s hard for me to want you around after the comments you like to make about why I wanted a child.” 

 

“With things changing, we need to figure out how to work with each other.” Michael said, knowing Lindsay was planning to make it painful for him.

 

“I guess we should make the effort for Gus, since things are going to change. In fact, you can meet us at the GLC Saturday for a small party, we needed another volunteer to help us out. Mel needs to see you can deal with kids before she agrees to let you spend time alone with Gus.” Lindsay told him, waving at Cynthia before leaving.

 

“She’ll see I can do it.” Michael muttered to himself.

 

Lindsay texted Mel that she’d found someone to dress up in the Donkey costume for the Shrek themed event.

 

 

 

Chapter 5 by starlight

Justin managed to keep the conversation away from Brian most of the afternoon. He really didn’t discuss Pittsburgh with Finn, since Finn tended to shy away from the place they met. Justin knew it was a horrible time in Finn’s life and he normally avoided anything related to their hometown. He knew Finn needed to deal with it eventually, but both he and Connor didn’t want to push until he was ready. 

 

Connor had been visiting Pittsburgh and came along with Justin and Dean to get some hunk of metal that Molly actually got permission for them to take, only to stumble over a strung out Finn. At first they planned to call the cops and let them deal with him, but instead Connor picked him up and took him with them to Justin’s place. Brett called around and found a doctor who would come over, since for some reason Finn refused to go to the hospital. They thought Finn was strung out; instead they found out he’d been trying to detox alone. Something the doctor warned them could kill Finn, since he was already in bad shape. Finn kept trying to leave, even when he could barely move. Connor and Justin both offered to help him find a rehab to help him, but he was resistant. Until Connor offered to take him to a rehab in California. Finn only agreed after they both promised not to question him on his past. And to this day only Brett knew Finn’s real name. As far as Connor and Justin were concerned, until their friend was ready to tell them about himself they’d wait and support him.

 

Finn turned his life around, and paid all of them back after he finished school, not wanting to feel like he took advantage of the people who helped him. Finn wanted to tell Justin and Connor his story one day, but he felt like he needed to apologize to the person who would have helped him first. When Connor told Finn that he and Brett were going to follow Justin back to Pittsburgh when he went back, Finn planned to go with them. It was time for Finn to deal with the mess he left behind, and the one man who deserved better than what Finn did to him. Finn didn’t want to think about it, so instead he wanted to know about the guy that had Justin flustered. He hoped Justin didn’t kill him when Brett brought the guy who ruffled Justin over in a few minutes.

 

“Justin still wants to believe the only reason the guy’s here is to win a bet. Which, according to Daphne, never happened between the brothers.” Connor told them.

 

“So who’s the guy?” Finn asked, pulling out plates.

 

“Brian… what was his last name Justin?” Connor asked.

 

“Kinney. Did you know him?” Justin asked Finn, who dropped a plate, looking upset.

 

“You okay?” Connor asked, since Finn was acting strangely.

 

“I know him.” Finn tells them.

 

“Brian?” Justin asked, knowing if Brian hurt Finn, he could rot in hell as far as Justin was concerned.

 

“Not like that, but I need to tell you about me before he shows up here… You both know my name isn’t Finn.” He told them.

 

“You don’t have to tell us anything unless you’re ready.” Connor told him.

 

“My past is about to catch up to me. I invited Brett and the mystery guy here, not knowing it was Brian.” Finn told them.

 

“Was he… Shit, what was he to you?” Justin asked.

 

“Nothing really. It’s just he knows me through the first person who tried to help me. See I didn’t want to be me anymore, and when you guys didn’t push me, I became Finn.” He told them.

 

“Being Finn worked for you.” Justin told him, not caring who Finn really was.

 

“It made it easier to let Blake disappear for me. I didn’t want to be the guy who shit all over everyone, and took advantage of the best man I knew.” Blake told them.

 

“Brian knew you as Blake?” Connor asked.

 

“He might not remember me, since I wasn’t part of the inner circle of his friends. They didn’t exactly welcome me being around. Which I got since they only saw me as someone who was shitting all over their friend Ted. I mean, I got why Emmett wasn’t rolling out the welcome mat and it’s likely he won’t be jumping up and down to hear I want to see Ted.” Blake told them.

 

“We’ll be there with you.” Justin told him.

 

“Just don’t be surprised if Brian isn’t friendly, he only knows fucked up Blake.” Blake told them.

 

“We only care about Finn, who pulled his life together.” Connor assured him.

 

“What does Brian say he wants from you?” Blake asked.

 

“I don’t know I haven’t given him five minutes of my time.” Justin told him.

 

“Daphne said he wasn’t exactly sure what he wanted from Justin, except to get to know him.” Connor told him.

 

“Which doesn’t make any sense, since we just met.” Justin told them.

 

“Unless you give him more than five minutes you won’t find out if he’s interested in more than his usual one night stand. It’s just, him following you here, that’s different for Brian.” Blake told him.

 

“Not according to Brandon. Brian hopped a flight to win a bet once.” Justin told him.

 

“Which isn’t what he’s doing with you, according to Daphne and Ted.” Connor told him.

 

“You can trust Ted.” Blake told Justin.

 

“Ted also told me a couple of other things that might help you with Brian.” Connor told him, not wanting to tell Justin about having the Tops of Pittsburgh all looking for him.

 

“Is it that bad?” Blake asked.

 

“Well… yeah, but there’s also something else, that according to Ted is a big deal for Brian.” Connor told them.

 

“Any day now.” Justin pushed, when Connor was still reluctant to continue.

 

“Okay. So apparently the idea for the bet was from a guy named Michael. It was his way to make sure you wanted nothing to do with Brian. It sounded a bit weird, but from what Ted said, Michael thinks Brian should want him if he wants to settle down. From what Ted told me, the fact that Brian was actually pissed at Michael about the whole bet thing makes Ted believe Brian isn’t playing around with you. In fact, Brian had Ted start a rumor about him planning to settle down, and left it so Michael believes it’s Michael’s dreams finally coming true. Ted said it’s pretty much to teach Michael not to fuck with you. Ted also told me it was him and Emmett who spread the rumor, and Emmett heard it from Michael, not Brian or Brandon.” Connor told him.

 

“Brian isn’t excusing Michael?” Blake asked Connor.

 

“Nope, not at all. Apparently he pretty much announced to everyone in the diner that he’d have their heads if Justin was still a bet. Which brings me to the other thing. Michael has changed the bet.” Connor told them.

 

“That’s pretty big, since no one messed with Michael for fear of pissing off Brian.” Blake told them.

 

“That’s why I want to go with Justin to Pittsburgh. Since I have a feeling Brian isn’t giving up on him. There’s also the fact that the tops in Pittsburgh are planning to fight Brian and Brandon over Justin.” Connor told them. Groaning when he realized Brian and Brett were standing there listening to him.

 

“Blake, nice to see you’re not wasting your life.” Brian said, really only interested in Justin.

 

“From what I hear you’re trying to change your life too lately.” Blake told him.

 

“My life changed a lot since you disappeared. I’m sure Ted would love to know you’re not dead in a ditch somewhere.” Brian pointedly told Blake.

 

“Brian has a son.” Justin told Blake, glaring at Brian for trying to make Finn/Blake feel bad.

 

“Did Brandon tell you?” Brian asked, letting it go for now.

 

“He mentioned it, but I sort of know Lindsay and Mel too.” Justin told him.

 

“My family seems to want to keep you a secret.” Brian said, invading Justin’s personal space.

 

“No secret. They just didn’t see any reason to introduce us. I might as well get this out of the way, and then you can be on your way. I expect commitment and monogamy.” Justin told him.

 

“I know, since my brother told me. But unless you’re willing to at least spend five minutes around me then we won’t know if it’s possible for me.” Brian told him. Leaving Justin confused when Brian wasn’t running to the nearest exit. Instead they spent the day with Justin’s friends and he was finding out Brian was more than just his looks.

 

“Can I talk to you alone?” Blake asked Brian, as Brett and Justin left to go over why Justin came to see Brett.

 

“As long as you promise me that you’ll talk to Ted.” Brian told him, after they were alone.

 

“I don’t want to hurt him, but you’re right.” Blake told him.

 

“I think he’d be glad to know you aren’t dead. Which is all he could think since you took off on him without a word.” Brian told him.

 

“When did you start caring about Ted?” Blake asked.

 

“I always have, which means I’m not exactly happy with you.” Brian told him.

 

“I care about Justin, and that means I’m not exactly happy you’re the person he’s interested in. But I’m willing to give you a chance unless you hurt him.” Blake told him.

 

“I don’t plan to do more than get to know him and see what makes him different than any man I know.” Brian told him.

 

“He is different, simply because he won’t settle for less if he falls in love with you.” Blake told him.

 

*********************************************

 

Mel opened the door to let Brandon in with Gus, still laughing over the idea of Michael being the donkey for the party Saturday. Mel wondered if Lindsay wouldn’t decide to play pin the tail on the donkey, just for shits and giggles. Michael didn’t get that it wouldn’t matter what he did, they really didn’t plan to have him feature in Gus’s life. Michael had never taken an interest in Gus, and using the boy wasn’t something any of them would put up with. Michael never got why Mel and Lindsay accepted Brandon but not him.

 

A lot of it was that Brandon didn’t seem to think being Brian’s brother meant instant acceptance into Brian’s world. He let Brian set the pace after he found out about Brandon and his mother and wanted to have a relationship with his brother. Something that Brian tried to do with Claire; but Claire, like Michael, treated Brian like he owed her if he wanted her in his life. Brandon on the other hand wanted nothing from Brian, other than a chance to know his brother. Mel respected Brandon, because he wasn’t blaming Brian or expecting Brian to take care of him. When Gus was born, Brandon cemented his place in their lives by showing up with Brian anytime the girls or Gus needed them. 

 

Michael treated Brandon like a trespasser, and surprisingly Lindsay encouraged Brian to at least get to know Brandon. Mel figured it out, Lindsay was seeing Brian ten years earlier in Brandon. It wasn’t like they looked alike, it was the wariness that even Mel had seen in Brian when she first met him. Lindsay mothered Brandon, in a way Brian wouldn’t have let her do to him. Which Michael seem to take as a personal insult when Lindsay tended to ignore Michael and the attention he wanted. 

 

“Lindsay heard about the bet.” Mel told Brandon.

 

“It’s a mess. I want to kill Michael for his constant need to interfere in Brian’s life.” Brandon told her.

 

“I think Lindsay’s planning to beat you to it, since Michael agreed to help on Saturday.” Mel told him.

 

“Doing what, whining louder than the kids?” Brandon joked, changing Gus’s diaper.

 

“Being what he is, an ass… or in this case, a donkey.” Mel told him.

 

“Is there any way to make it ‘pin the tail on the donkey’?” Brandon asked, not really joking.

 

“Don’t give Lindsay any ideas. So what’s going on with Brian and Justin?” Mel asked, curious, but not surprised that once Brian and Justin met they’d be interested in each other.

 

“Let me get this out of the way, we didn’t bet over Justin.” Brandon told her.

 

“I didn’t think either of you would. You wouldn’t ruin your friendship with Justin over something that stupid and Brian wouldn’t hurt you with something that meaningless.” Mel told him.

 

“He’s really interested in Justin.” Brandon told her.

 

“You don’t have to convince me. Brian did that without saying a word, his actions said a lot.” Mel told him.

 

“Chasing after Justin convinced you?” Brandon asked.

 

“No, that just told me he wanted to get Justin in bed.” Mel smiled. “For the first time he isn’t willing to let Michael get away with not only hurting you but his chances with Justin. To me that says he’s not playing around.” Mel told him.

 

“I want to be jealous, but I also want Brian to be happier than either of us knew was possible.” Brandon told her.

 

 

Chapter 6 by starlight

Brian debated on answering the phone while he sat at the pool at Brett’s, relaxing while Justin and Brett were working. Brett agreed to come and see what Kinnetik could do for him, which meant Brian was free to take a vacation and work on getting to know Justin. Bored, and knowing Lindsay could be tenacious until she got a hold of him, Brian answered.

 

“So I’m helping Michael with his white picket fence dreams and planning the wedding. I’m thinking a superhero-themed wedding, along with taking bets the bride has to be pregnant and that you’ve suddenly lost your mind.” Lindsay said, not even greeting Brian.

 

“Sweetheart, you’re the only one I’d willingly knock up… wait I already did that.” Brian joked.

 

“Well, Sweetheart, the idiot thinks our progeny needs a little ass in his life,” Lindsay tells him.

 

“While I’d be happy to explain the birds and bees to Gus, I doubt at one he’ll care that much about it,” Brian told her.

 

“When Gus is ready, trust me, Mel and I are more than willing to leave it up to you. So I’m actually calling you to do you a favor, just thank me later since Justin listened to me.” Lindsay told him, hanging up.

 

Brian wasn’t sure what she was talking about until Justin came out of Brett’s house and offered to cook them dinner. 

 

“What did Lindsay say?” Brian asked when they got to the kitchen of the guest house Justin was staying in.

 

“She told me not to judge you for your past or anything people said about you,” Justin told him.

 

“Why listen to her?” Brian asked.

 

“I really didn’t, until she asked me if I could really see you hurting Brandon over something as stupid as a fuck-off bet. It didn’t make sense when if you didn’t care about Brandon you wouldn’t have bothered with him when you figured out he was your brother.” Justin told him.

 

“I almost didn’t,” Brian told him.

 

“Why did you?” Justin asked.

 

“Because I could see he didn’t come out any better than I did for having Jack Kinney as his father,” Brian told him.

 

“It had to be more than your shared abuse at the hands of a monster,” Justin commented.

 

Brian thought about what really made him give Brandon a chance in his life, and decided it wasn’t anything Justin couldn’t know if he wanted to try this relationship thing with the blond. 

 

“Brandon wasn’t expecting anything from me. That was different from the rest of my family. Hell, it was different in general for me. My mother claims to love me, but only shows it when I do what she wants me to do. My sister includes me, as long as it comes with a check to help her. Jack Kinney only gave two shits if Brandon or I picked up the bar tab. Brandon, on the other hand, just introduced himself and walked away, without holding his hand out for more than I wanted to give him. Brandon didn’t want to share bruises or compare which of us had it worse in life, which would probably end in a tie for both of us. Brandon didn’t use any of it to try to have a relationship with me. It’s why I wouldn’t have made a bet with him over you, because I wouldn’t use him or hurt him for anyone.” Brian answered.

 

“I know even though I’m acting like an idiot that Brandon is a pretty great guy and has never treated our friendship as if it was meaningless to him,” Justin told him.

 

“Why aren’t you interested in Brandon?” Brian asked.

 

“It’s something that puzzles me as much as you. I wanted to be, but somehow never could get past being friends with him. Something I don’t want with you.” Justin told him, honestly.

 

“What do you want?” Brian asked.

 

“I don’t know since I’m pretty much new to wanting more from anyone,” Justin told him.

 

“Attraction is easy Justin, but if that’s all it is for you, then I’m not gonna waste my time,” Brian told him.

 

“I am attracted to you, but that’s not all of it. Maybe it was that you don’t fit the picture I wanted to believe from what everyone says about you.” Justin told him, cutting up the vegetables for stir-fry.

 

“That I’m an uncaring asshole?” Brian asked.

 

“No. I know you care about people since you seem to go out of your way for Gus.” Justin told him.

 

“You’ve never seen me with Gus, so how did you come to that conclusion?” Brian asked.

 

“Mel and Lindsay both told me that when it comes to Gus, there’s nothing you won’t do to make sure he never doubts how much all of you wanted him. You even offered to give him up, if it would give him what you never had at home.” Justin told him.

 

“I offered because it’s what I promised them, not because I wanted to,” Brian told him.

 

“Yet they didn’t take you up on it, because they can see you love him the way they do. Mel figured out that while you two argue, you trust her, and she returned the favor by not asking you to give up your son.” Justin told her.

 

“How did you end up being friends with them?” Brian asked.

 

“I met them through Brandon at one of my art shows. Then over time we all just became friends.” Justin told him.

 

“How did I never meet you?” Brian asked.

 

“The same way most people never meet. We didn’t have any common interests. I wasn’t into the club scene, and you weren’t into the domestic scene. When Lindsay knew you were coming over I left because I didn’t want to find out you were just a club boy, when it didn’t interest me.” Justin told him.

 

“What did interest you about me, since it’s obvious you asked about me?” Brian asked. 

 

“You never let anything get in your way. You went to college working your ass off, instead of accepting the fate of the life you knew. You walked away from a career to fight for what you believed in and started a company on your own with clients willing to follow you because you showed them you were worth more than the people who kissed their asses when it was more important to sell their products. The biggest reason was that while it’s rumored you don’t do love and relationships, Brandon and Gus tell me you do. And instead of ignoring that Molly and I were digging in your trash, you wanted to help both of us when you thought we were street kids.” Justin told him.

 

“While I pictured how you’d look naked in my bed.” Brian joked.

 

“And I was thinking that I could offer the blow job you missed,” Justin told him.

 

“I’m not opposed to it, but I think for once I want to get to know someone before show and tell,” Brian said, wondering if he lost his mind.

 

“What makes me different than any other guy?” Justin asked.

 

“You didn’t act like my reputation on Liberty Avenue was the sum total of me,” Brian told him.

 

“It’s only part of the whole and not the part that I want to get to know,” Justin told him.

 

“Tell me what you want to know and I’ll help us figure out if I’m capable of what you want,” Brian told him.

 

“I guess I want to know about why Michael wanted me pissed at you and Brandon. I get that he’s never liked Brandon, but why do something that would piss you off?” Justin asked.

 

“He wants me to love him in a way I just don’t,” Brian told him.

 

“Does he know it?” Justin asked.

 

“He wants to believe that the reason I haven’t settled down is that I wasn’t ready to offer him everything you want,” Brian told him.

 

“Why would he think you’d want it with me?” Justin asked.

 

“I kept asking questions about you after you left and pretty much shoved Michael back into the club so I could find out anything Brandon knew about you. It’s not something I really ever did before, and while Michael isn’t always the most astute, it wasn’t that hard to figure out there was something different about you for me.” Brian told him.

 

“Which doesn’t make sense since we didn’t know anything about each other, other than what I knew from Brandon about you,” Justin told him.

 

“You didn’t treat me like all you saw was the Stud,” Brian told him.

 

“Um… trust me, I saw it, it just didn’t mean as much as the fact that you were worried about Molly and me,” Justin answered.

 

“Which meant more to you?” Brian asked, crowding Justin at the counter.

 

“It’s sort of a toss-up right now,” Justin whispered, wanting to close the distance of their lips.

 

“If I told you I’d be willing to give up everything just to kiss you?” Brian asked, a breath away from the lips he wanted to feel.

 

“Then I’d probably do this,” Justin said, closing the distance and knowing he was sealing any escape from Brian breaking his heart.

 

Brian showed everything he wanted in the kiss and then pulled back, knowing he wanted Justin more than he wanted to breathe. It gave him the strength to pull back and rest his head on Justin’s. 

 

“Give me chance to prove I can be what you want,” Brian told him.

 

“I want us to prove we can be who we want us to be,” Justin told him.

 

“Which means what?” Brian asked.

 

“That we define this relationship without feeling like it’s all about only what I want from it. I’m not the expert since I’ve never been in one either. Actually, I’ve never done anything just to put the truth out there for you.” Justin told him.

 

“How did you not at least experiment?” Brian asked, wanting to confirm what Justin was really telling him.

 

“No one made me want to try, and my hand never disappointed me,” Justin told him.

 

“But others did?” Brian asked.

 

“I didn’t give them the chance to try when I had more important things to do. Which means I’m as blind to how to do this as you are.” Justin answered.

 

“So maybe we try dating instead of just moving in together like lesbians?” Brian joked.

 

“It’s a start, but you know, maybe it wouldn’t hurt to find out if winning the bet wouldn’t be a bad thing,” Justin told him, crowding Brian.

 

“Cook dinner and we’ll see if I can manage to keep you clothed,” Brian told him, pretty much thinking he couldn’t.

 

“You’re a tease.” Justin pouted but was happy because Brian could have had anything he wanted from the blond in that minute but proved he wanted more than a night in bed by helping him cook.

 

“Tell me about you and Molly and your many trips to the Pittsburgh PD,” Brian asked wanting to know more about Justin’s life.

 

**************************************************

 

Deb wasn’t an idiot, regardless of what Michael thought. Michael’s newest tale wasn’t going to get Brian and Brandon out of trouble for hurting her new friend. Except that Michael suddenly seemed to ask for advice on dealing with children and said that Deb should make sure Lindsay and Mel acknowledged her place in Gus’s life, instead of treating her and Michael like they weren’t as important as Brandon was to them. She got over the shock that Michael acted like Gus was more than something else that got in his way for all of Brian’s attention. Only to be left speechless when Michael started telling her about the houses he thought would be what Brian would want them to live in. Them as in Michael and Brian, together. One thing Deb knew was that Brian didn’t love Michael in the way that would mean he would settle for Michael. For the first time, Deb waited to start blaming everyone but Michael and started to wonder if her son wasn’t the culprit. Brian being surprised said a lot to Deb, and the way Emmett backed away from Michael lately said even more. So instead of doing what she usually did, she decided to see if she could find out the truth. It was why she was standing at Lindsay’s door instead of trying to chase Brian down. 

 

“How’s my favorite little guy?” Deb asked, as Lindsay didn’t welcome her into the house, but closed the door and stood outside with Deb.

 

“Still napping since Brandon wore him out,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Brandon’s been here?” Deb asked.

 

“He’s here a lot, apparently he’s cementing himself as Gus’s favorite,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Is he still here?” Deb asked.

 

“He and Mel went to pick up dinner. And if you're here in hopes to blame him for something then you can leave,” Lindsay told her.

 

“A couple of days ago I would have, but I have a feeling it would be directed at the wrong person,” Deb told her.

 

“It would have been. Brandon wouldn’t have done something to hurt his friendship with Justin. Other than Mel and I, Justin’s the only other person Brandon feels like he’s wanted around.” Lindsay said, watching Deb wince since she never really invited Brandon to anything. 

 

“I never did anything to make him feel like I wanted him around, I know that,” Deb told her.

 

“Which means you don’t have any right to think you can berate him if that’s what you came over here to do,” Lindsay said, not trusting Deb’s motives.

 

“I came because I want to know the truth. Which seems to be something Michael isn’t capable of giving anyone lately,” Deb told her.

 

“Okay. The truth. The truth is- Brandon loves Brian and wants his brother to have the life he wants. The truth is- Michael saw something the night Brian met Justin and isn’t happy with the fact that Brian is interested in Justin. The truth is- Michael is willing to do anything to make sure Justin doesn’t get what Michael can’t get from Brian. The truth is- the ‘Bet’ was Michael’s idea, and when that didn’t stop Brian, he upped the game with all the tops on the avenue. So Brian decided to teach your son a lesson for once, and for once I hope your son gets what he deserves and finds out what’s it’s like to be hurt from the fucking games he seems to think he has a right to play with everyone’s life.” Lindsay told her.

 

“What did Brian decide to do that would teach Michael a lesson?” Deb asked.

 

“Why do you want to know?” Lindsay asked, suspiciously.

 

“Because I want to know how to help. It’s time my son realizes I’m not going to help him,” Deb told her.

 

“I should believe you for what reason?” Lindsay asked as Brandon and Mel pulled up.

 

“I don’t believe Michael’s tale that Brandon would do this just to hurt Brian. One thing I know is that Brandon only wants the best for Brian, unlike my son.” Deb told her, looking at Brandon as she said it.

 

“When you’re right, you’re right, Deb. I want my brother to find someone who can get past the walls we both built around our hearts. He needs to understand that love doesn’t come with flying fists or feeling obligated to stay with someone you don’t and can’t love.” Brandon told her.

 

“You think Justin could do that for Brian, but not Michael?” Deb asked him.

 

“I don’t know, and neither does Brian unless Justin gives him the chance. Which Michael is doing his best to make sure never happens.” Brandon told her.

 

“Then Michael is about to lose since Justin knows exactly what he did,” Lindsay told Brandon.

 

“It doesn’t mean I want to let Michael get away with it,” Brandon told Lindsay, looking at Deb.

 

“I assume this is why no one is acting like Michael’s sudden interest in houses and children alarms any of you?” Deb asked.

 

“Why would it, when Brian isn’t here but with Justin, who has a better chance of getting what Michael won’t from Brian. Granted, I’m really just wanting to see how Michael handles pulling the tail off the donkey.” Lindsay answered, smirking.

 

“Really, I wanted to play pin the tail.” Mel joked.

 

“I know, but bloodshed would have ended hours of fun the kids will have chasing an ass around the room,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Have you guys learned nothing from having Brian and Brandon around you? Paintball is all I’m going to say since it’s obvious you guys haven’t realized chasing Michael hasn’t ever been that interesting to anyone. But shooting at him would likely get a lot more people willing to help out the GLC.” Deb told them.

 

“I kind of love you right now,” Brandon told her.

 

“I’m hoping eventually I’ll prove to you that you actually do love me, and for me to show you I can love you, the way I love your brother for being the great son he’s always been to me,” Deb told him.

 

Michael spent the next two days wondering why everyone kept pretending to cock a gun at him and laughing after talking to his mother.

 

 

Chapter 7 by starlight

Brandon decided it was time to brave the wrath of Molly and Daphne, since Jen left a message at the precinct that he needed to call her. He decided to call and talk to Brian first, since he planned to smooth the way for him with Justin’s mother. 

 

“I think I’m going to have to buy the lesbians a few diamonds.” Brian answered.

 

“Which means Lindsay is going to have more reasons to crow when you get back.” Brandon told him.

 

“I'm sure she'll just be thrilled not to plan Mikey’s wedding to himself.” Brian joked.

 

“I’m about to brave Justin’s women. Tell me I’m not going to regret helping you with his mom.” Brandon told him, not sounding like he wanted to deal with Justin’s mother.

 

“Are you scared of Justin’s mommy?” Brian asked, wondering how scary the woman could be.

 

“The woman makes Deb look like a kitten. She doesn’t yell but somehow makes you feel like a naughty two year old.” Brandon told him.

 

“My mother isn’t that bad.” Justin said in the background.

 

“Only if she loves you. Right now I’m not so sure Brian and I are in her good book.” Brandon said, instead of asking why Justin and Brian were together this early in the morning.

 

“I stayed with Justin three whole days and I’m still the good one. Even when Justin tries to make it impossible.” Brian answered, as if knowing what Brandon was thinking.

 

“By breathing, according to you. Brandon, I’m starting to wonder if your brother’s just one big tease.” Justin added, getting up to leave Brian and Brandon to talk.  

 

“Are you telling me you two spent the whole night together and nothing happened?” Brandon asked, planning to mark this down on a calendar.

 

“Not exactly, but right now I need you to do something for me.” Brian said, changing the subject.

 

“In a minute. I’m still trying to figure out how it’s possible my brother is abstaining.” Brandon joked.

 

“Are you done, because right now I’m not joking?” Brian asked him.

 

“Tell me what you want done, and I’ll take care of it.” Brandon told him.

 

“Ted needs to know who I’m bringing back with me, because he needs time to decide if he wants to see Blake.” Brian told him.

 

“You found Blake?” Brandon asked, not sure how Brian did it when Brandon couldn’t find a clue about what happened to him.

 

“In a way, and he's planning on coming back with us. Which means I want Ted prepared and given time to think about how he wants to deal with it.” Brian answered. 

 

“I could get Emmett to help.” Brandon told him. 

 

“That probably won't be a good idea. Mostly because Emmett might still have a problem with Blake. Ted needs to deal with this without everyone getting involved.” Brian told him. 

 

“Isn’t that what we're doing?” Brandon asked. 

 

“No, because I won’t offer an opinion or tell him what he should do.” He told Brandon.

 

“Has Blake cleaned himself up? Ted needs to know that in order to know how he wants to deal with it.” Brandon questioned. 

 

“As far as I can tell he looks like he got his life on track.” Brian told him. 

 

“What about you and Justin?” Brandon asked. 

 

“So far everything I'm learning about him just makes me want to know more.” Brian said, hanging up.

 

Brandon couldn’t help but smile at the idea Brian might be on his way to falling in love with Brandon’s best friend. Even Jen’s potential wrath didn’t bother him now, because she'd be thrilled at the idea Justin might come home with a boyfriend. What he didn’t expect was to find everyone at Jen’s house waiting for him, including Deb and Carl. Carl shook his head when he let Brandon in.

 

“I've never seen women so excited about shooting someone.” Carl told him. Before leading him into the kitchen filled with guns. “Granted, I agree it's time someone shot Michael in the ass.” Carl laughs.

 

“Well, people were asking how much to take a shot at a few others at the GLC, so it won't just be my idiot son.” Deb told them.

 

“When did that change?” Brandon asked, just happy Jen wasn’t tearing into him, but looking gleeful at the assorted guns in her kitchen.

 

“After Lindsay told the rest of the parents what we were going to do, it seemed they thought it would be a good fundraiser, and a way to take out some frustration on others who pissed everyone off.” Deb told him.

 

“Tannis and Phillip have made me want to shoot them just for being them.” Jen agreed.

 

“Any progress?” Daphne asked Brandon.

 

Brandon wasn’t sure what to say since this would involve Justin potentially having a sex life. Jen on the other hand looked expectantly at Brandon for some information.

 

“Brian and Justin managed to spend three days together and somehow my brother resisted Justin.” Brandon told them, not sure how that happened.

 

“Are you serious? Maybe Justin needs glasses, cause I’d be all over Brian given the chance.” Daphne commented.

 

“Yeah, seeing Brian naked would be on the top of my list if given the opportunity.” Molly agreed.

 

“Girls, while I agree both Brandon and Brian are attractive… Never mind, you’re right.” Jen said looking at Brandon and thinking about what she remembered about Brian.

 

“I’m feeling a bit violated.” Brandon joked.

 

“Which is better than what I wanted to do to you when I thought you’d bet on Justin.” Jen told him.

 

“I wouldn’t have done that. It would mean losing you guys.” Brandon told her.

 

Deb tried not to take it personally. Since it was obvious Brandon found people who accepted him, while she resisted because it upset Michael having Brandon included in anything. It was also obvious that Jen knew a lot about Brandon’s life, when she got up and hugged Brandon.

 

“I was upset, but in the end I would have still wanted you around, and would have helped you make it up to Justin.” Jen told him.

 

“So who gets to shoot ‘whiney man’ first?” Molly asked, while Brandon held onto Jen.

 

************************************************

 

Michael got to the GLC, irritated that Brian wasn’t answering his numerous calls. He was also pissed that no one would tell him where Brian had disappeared to. He also wondered why everyone seemed excited to see him when he walked in, and wasn’t thrilled when he was handed the donkey costume. He felt better when he saw a few others dressed up for this, and planned to let them all do the work. Michael’s only goal was to get Gus to stop acting like he didn’t like him. In fact the only person Gus didn’t seem to like was Michael. Which in the past didn’t bother Michael, since he wasn’t interested in the kid he never wanted Brian to have. After getting the costume, Michael was led to a room with a bunch of other people to get changed. Lindsay came in with Tannis who didn’t look happy but agreed after hearing how much they’d raise for the GLC. 

 

“Attention everyone, I appreciate your willingness to help with the small party we have planned. Now I ask for all your help as a few members found a way to raise funds to help make the daycare a reality with the fundraiser that Deb Novotny and Lindsay Peterson proposed to everyone. After we get dressed we’ll all go to the park across the street for the party and to help make this fundraiser a success.” Tannis said, trying to sound thrilled but still a bit put out that she was expected to participate. 

 

Michael smiled that Deb must have helped doing what he wanted her to do to help him with Lindsay and Mel. He followed everyone, getting perturbed when people kept stepping on his tail. He was amazed at the number of people all waiting at the park for all of them to show up, and saw the area where the kids were running around getting their faces painted and playing games set up for them. Michael wanted to be over there, making nice with Gus. Instead he was being lead to a roped off section while people were lined up waiting for the fun to begin.

 

It didn’t take long for Michael to catch on that there was more to this than he had been told. After the first ten paintballs hit him, he figured it out. It wasn’t just Michael, but also Tannis and Phillip who ended up running in circles to avoid the worst of the maniacs of Liberty Avenue. Michael’s only thought was that Lindsay was pissed that he was going to get what she never could from Brain and was doing this to pay him back for winning Brian. He wasn’t sure what to think when Emmett joined the fray and was practically gleeful when Brandon helped him chase Michael’s ass down and cover him in rainbow colors. Michael ran as Brandon proved he could hit what he aimed at. Daphne and Molly seemed to only be aiming at Michael’s ass and Carl kept him from escaping when even more of Liberty Avenue paid for a chance to shoot the Ass of Liberty Avenue. Michael thought it was over until he saw his Ma and Jen leading the girls into the area with the kids, who all had water balloons. It finally ended when Lindsay escorted everyone out of the area, and came over to where Michael was cowering behind Tannis and Phillip, who hadn’t faired any better than he had. Tannis and Phillip both walked off dripping with water and paint and a check bigger than any other fundraiser they’d ever tried raised. 

 

“It must suck for you that Brian is about to give me what he never wanted to give you.” Michael sneered at her.

 

“Let’s see, Brian and I slept together once, he gave me the baby I wanted, and is willing to help Mel and I raise our son together. So yes, I actually did get what I wanted. As for you, I think you’re about to get what you actually deserve for once. At least it won’t be anything new for you to watch Brian from the sidelines as once again you're not the one he chooses.” Lindsay told him.

 

“He’s ready for everything I want.” Michael argues with her.

 

“If he is, why is he not here with you? Or maybe a better question would be- when was the last time you saw him? From what I heard it would have been when he got pissed over the bet you spread around Liberty Avenue about Justin Taylor. Which makes it more interesting that Brian and Justin are both out of town at the same time.” Lindsay told him. Walking off with everyone and leaving Michael to figure it out on his own.

 

 

 

Chapter 8 by starlight

Brian wasn’t happy to be on a plane back to Pittsburgh, but Justin was going and where Justin went Brian would follow, along with Brett, Conner, and Blake. Which meant Brandon needed to talk to Ted sooner rather than later. Justin’s sister called to let him know there was a small fire, her words, that took out the entire living area of the warehouse they owned. Justin talked to the fire marshal who let him know the cause of the fire was a result of faulty wiring and not Molly’s blowtorch. Now Justin and Molly would need to find someplace else to stay until the warehouse was up to code again. Justin debated whether or not it was worth redoing the living space at the warehouse when Molly seemed to want to move in with her boyfriend instead and just use the warehouse as a studio. 

 

Listening to Justin and Molly’s conversation had Brian debating with himself for the rest of the flight to Pittsburgh about offering Justin a place to stay instead of his mother’s house. Which was where Molly was planning on staying while they hired a contractor to get the warehouse up to code. Brian made a call to Cynthia, which pretty much meant all that was left was to talk to Justin. 

 

“Do you really want to stay at your mother’s house?” Brian asked.

 

“At least until I find a place to live, it’ll work.” Justin told him.

 

“Why not stay with me until you do?” Brian asked.

 

“Are you sure you want that?” Justin asked, wanting to say yes.

 

“We’ve spent the last week practically living together and we haven’t wanted to kill each other yet.” Brian joked.

 

“Just tear each other’s clothes off, while you resist, saying we’re going to get to know each other first,” Justin complained.

 

“I’ll quit resisting if you take me up on my offer.” Brian promised.

 

“I think that’s called blackmail. I have to do what you want in order to get what I want… You know what, never mind... if you naked and willing come out of this, count me in.” Justin told him, kissing the smirk off Brian’s face.

 

“I’m starting to get jealous.” Connor joked at the two lovebirds, hoping to see Blake smile, instead of the wary look he’d had since the moment they got on the plane.

 

Brandon smiled at Cynthia as he headed to Ted’s office, wondering why Brian asked him to talk to Ted. While Ted had always been okay with Brandon, they’d never really talked about anything personal with each other. Brian had been the one to ask Brandon to see if he could find out anything about Blake, without telling Ted Brian asked him to. Ted smiled when Brandon walked in, waving him to a chair as he finished a call.

 

“Heard from Brian?” Ted asked, not sure why Brandon was in his office.

 

“He and Justin are on their way back since the warehouse Justin lives in caught on fire,” Brandon told him, trying to figure out how to tell Ted about Blake.

 

“Is Molly okay and does Justin need any help with the insurance claims?” Ted asked, showing Brandon why Brian liked Ted.

 

“From what I got to see last night it was contained to the kitchen and the living area. I’m sure Justin would be happy to let you help him, but that’s not why I stopped by to see you.” Brandon told him.

 

“Why are you here then?” Ted asked.

 

“To tell you that Brian is bringing more than Justin back later today. He wanted me to tell you, to give you time to decide on what you want to do with the information… and I thought I had at least another week to tell you, but they're coming back sooner than I thought. Plus I’m not really sure if I’m the one who should be telling you this, but Brian told me it was better not to include Emmett since he’s not exactly sure how he would react to the news.” Brandon rambled.

 

“I might die of old age before you tell me if you don’t just spit it out,” Ted told him, dryly.

 

“Shit, you sound like Brian, you know,” Brandon told him.

 

“And you're still stalling. Nothing could be that bad.” Ted assured him.

 

“It’s not bad really. I mean, if I loved someone, seeing them again should be a good thing right? I’d rather know they were alive than live without knowing what happened.” Brandon told him.

 

“He’s bringing Blake here?” Ted asked, putting together everything Brandon said.

 

“Blake wanted to come and see you. Brian didn’t force him to come.” Brandon told him.

 

“Is he...?” Ted asked.

 

“From what Brian said, it looks like he’s cleaned up his life, and apparently is friends with Justin and Connor. I’m not sure how they became friends so you’ll have to ask him, but at least you can now.” Brandon answered.

 

“I need to get back to work,” Ted told him, leaving Brandon confused as to what Ted wanted. 

 

“If you don’t want to see him, you don’t have to.” Brandon told him. 

 

“Now you sound like Emmett,” Ted commented. 

 

“I just don’t want you to feel pressured into doing something if your not ready for it. I could have told you sooner but I wasn't really sure if I should be the one to tell you since I'm not really one of your friends.” Brandon told him. 

 

“Only because you haven't acted like you wanted to get to know me or Emmett. Which isn't all your fault, since we haven't exactly been inviting you out with us. It wasn’t because we didn't want you around, it was that you didn’t seem like you wanted us to get closer to you.” Ted told him. 

 

“It’s hard to let people in because it hurts more when you find out they don’t want you there. My whole life was like that until I met Brian and Justin,” Brandon told him.

 

“While I don’t know Justin at all, I do know your brother. One thing I can tell you is that even when he would act like he didn’t give a shit, he always did, about everyone in his life. I have a feeling it’s what makes it harder for both of you to let people in, when all you both have dealt with is being hurt by the people who should have loved you the most. It’s why I’m sitting here acting like seeing Blake isn’t what I’ve wanted since he disappeared. Because if all he wants is closure, I’m not sure if I want to see him.” Ted told him.

 

“Why are you telling me this?” Brandon asked.

 

“Because it’s what friends do, they share what bothers them and hope the other friend has words of wisdom they can ignore.” Ted joked.

 

“If I ever really loved someone it wouldn’t matter why they came. I’d make sure they never had a reason to walk away again.” Brandon told him.

 

“I hope I meet the guy you fall in love with because he’s in for one hell of a life with you,” Ted told him.

 

“Which is all I want for Brian and for you,” Brandon told him, figuring out that Brian did have good friends in his life.

 

“Do me a favor, keep Emmett distracted until after I see Blake. I don’t want Emmett thinking he has to protect me from the one person I did fall in love with.” Ted asked Brandon.

 

Cynthia stopped Brandon on his way out and handed him three keys and a paper that had a code for Brian’s alarm. “He said it was time only people who understood what those keys are for have them. I have one and you keep one, apparently Justin Taylor is getting one too, which means I need to know all about the man Brian went to California to see.” She requested, thrilled for her boss.

 

“He’s everything no one would expect Brian to want,” Brandon told her.

 

“In other words, the opposite of the guys he tricked with, which makes sense to me,” Cynthia told him.

 

“Why would that make sense?” Brandon asked.

 

“If you don’t want to fall in love you don’t fuck anyone who could make you want to. So logically, Brian would stay away from anyone that could change his mind.” She told him.

 

“Which explains absolutely nothing other than women really do have strange logic.” Brandon teased.

 

“Justin is everything Brian seemed to run from, and now is running to, which means strange or not, I’m right. The fact that the key in your hand is for Justin, puts him in a category no one has ever reached in Brian’s life. Cynthia commented.

 

***************************************************

 

Justin wasn’t sure how his mother was going to react to him moving in with Brian since she’d been ready to castrate the man after what she heard at the diner. Brian assured him that Brandon managed to explain everything and Mother Taylor wasn’t waiting with a scalpel at the door. Brett, Connor, and Blake all decided to go to the hotel they were staying at and let Brian get to know Jen without everyone getting in the way. 

 

“Are we going in?” Brian asked when Justin stared at his mother’s door.

 

“Do you really think we’re at the ‘meet the mom’ phase?” Justin asked.

 

“I think it’s going to happen. Why not just get it done. If she doesn’t approve, then we deal with it and move on.” Brian answered.

 

“I want her to like you since I want us to work,” Justin told him, yelping when Jen knocked on the window of the car.

 

“Are you planning on hiding out here all day or am I going to meet Brian?” She asked, smiling at Brian.

 

“He seems to think you still want my balls for the bet,” Brian told her.

 

“Right now I just hope you won. Since it would mean my son found a life outside of work and his delinquent sister.” Jen said, laughing when Justin glared at her.

 

“At least the fire wasn’t her fault, or the fault of the piles of crap you swear will kill us one day,” Justin mumbled, getting out of the car.

 

“Which I’m forever grateful for, and the fact that the fire marshal let her know said piles need to be dealt with too,” Jen told him.

 

“Actually I think he was hoping that by agreeing with you, he’d get a date,” Molly told them when they got to the kitchen.

 

“He was not,” Jen replied.

 

“The guy was practically undressing you, which was sort of weird since he’s like Brian’s age,” Molly commented.

 

“Is he hot?” Brian asked Jen.

 

“I didn’t really notice… but even if I did he’s not as interested as Molly is implying.” Jen told him.

 

“Or you just don’t want to admit that you still have it.” Justin teased her.

 

“Which doesn’t matter since I’m not going to be seeing him again. Plus I’m more interested in getting to know Brian.” Jen told him, kissing her son’s cheek.

 

“Brian and I talked about it and I’m going to stay with him until I find a new place,“ Justin told her.

 

“I can get listings for you since I’m doing it for Dean and Molly too. Do you want a house or an apartment?” Jen asked him.

 

“A house makes more sense since I’d rather own than rent something,” Justin answered.

 

“It’s a big commitment.” Jen reminded Justin.

 

“Just make sure it has a big yard, Gus will need room to play as he gets older,” Brian told Justin.

 

“Sounds like the house isn’t the only commitment you’ll be getting,” Molly said, smirking at Justin.

 

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

Brian left Justin to pack up while he went to see Gus. He wanted to find out why Lindsay and Mel hadn’t told him about Justin. Brandon called, saying he’d meet him there with the keys before helping Justin get settled in at Brian’s loft. Brian wanted to stop by Kinnetik after seeing the girls to get his Ad guys working on his ideas for Brett Keller. After all that, his only plan was turning the promise he made to Justin into a reality. Which meant he needed to make sure Mel would be there for Ted if things didn’t go well with Blake. Mel could be objective about Blake, where Emmett couldn’t, and right now Brian didn’t want to have to deal with anything but making Justin’s night special. Mel answered the door with Gus in her arms, waiting until Brian was seated with his son to ask about how it was going with Justin. 

 

“Lindsay’s dying to know what happened after she talked to Justin for you,” Mel told him, as Lindsay hurried into the room.

 

“We’re both willing to try and see if we can work towards a relationship,” Brian told them, smiling at Gus.

 

“Did you hear about the newest part of the bet?” Mel asked.

 

“Yes. And I plan to make sure no one bothers Justin. That is, if they didn’t take my earlier warning about him seriously.” Brian told her.

 

“Do you know where Justin plans to stay? Mel and I are willing to offer him the extra room here if he needs it.” Lindsay told him.

 

“I offered my place and he’s good with it. I also changed my locks and codes since with Justin staying with me there isn’t any reason for anyone else to have access.” Brian answered.

 

“I’m glad you realized you needed to do that,” Mel told him.

 

“Things must have gone really well with you and Justin,” Lindsay said gleefully.

 

“Both of us are seeing where this will go, but I do have one question. Why were you two hiding him from me?” Brian asked.

 

“You weren’t around for the things we did with Justin. Like I told Ted, Mel and I have friends outside of you.” Lindsay answered.

 

“Plus, we didn’t really want to put up with Michael acting like an ass to our friend, since he’d always show up if you came over,” Mel told him.

 

“Which Michael’s already proven with Brandon’s inclusion in Gus’ and our lives. I wasn’t about to put Justin in the middle of the problems we have with Michael, who’s never liked that Brandon is in Gus’ life as well as ours. Which is funny when he still thinks Mel and I somehow tricked you into agreeing to Gus.” Lindsay commented.

 

“He’d never believe you came to us wanting to do it anyway,” Mel told him.

 

“I really don’t care what he believes anymore. We all wanted Gus and that’s all that matters in the end. Now we have Gus and I’m glad he has someone like Justin in his life.” Brian told them.

 

“It’s what we promised you. That Gus would only have love surrounding his life.” Lindsay told him.

 

“I’m just going to ask, what about you and Justin? I know it’s only been a week since you met, but where do you see this going?” Mel quizzed.

 

“I don’t have a clue, other than I’m willing to see where it can go. We’re getting to know each other, and so far I like everything I know about him.” Brian answered.

 

“What do you plan to do about Michael, who for some reason hasn’t put two and two together and figured out he isn’t going to get the wedding his little heart prays for?” Lindsay asked, snickering.

 

“Nothing for now. Justin’s more important and I’d rather worry about making sure he gets anything he wants. I wanted to talk to you guys about Ted, who might need you, Mel, after he sees Blake again.” Brian told them.

 

“Where did you find Blake?” Mel asked, as the front door opened and Brandon came in.

 

Lindsay smiled as Brandon sat down next to Brian, who automatically handed Gus to him. Brandon always looked like he’d won the lottery when he was holding Gus. It was obvious to anyone who saw Brandon that he wanted a child of his own.

 

“I got your keys. Are you sure you want me to keep one?” Brandon asked.

 

“It makes sense since I call you all the time when I need things. This way you don’t have to run to me or Lindsay when you need a key.” Brian shrugged, not saying what they all knew; Brandon didn’t invade Brian’s space unless he was asked to.

 

“I don’t need one if you have one anyway,” Lindsay told him.

 

“How did Ted take the news?” Brian asked.

 

“He’s more worried that this is closure for Blake,” Brandon told him.

 

“If it is then Ted can move on. Which he hasn’t done since Blake disappeared.” Mel put in.

 

“It’s none of our business either way. Just be there if Ted needs to talk to someone.” Brian told Mel.

 

“Ted asked me to keep Emmett distracted until they can talk. Do you feel like going out tonight?” Brandon asked Brian.

 

“I’ll check with Justin to see if everyone wants to meet up with you for a couple of hours. Just make sure it's only us.” Brian told him, knowing Brandon wanted to spend time with him and Justin.

 

“You really think I'd invite Michael anywhere?” Brandon asked.

 

“No. But you’re on Emmett duty, so it means making sure Emmett doesn’t lead Michael to them.” Lindsay told him. 

 

“Since Emmett still has his paintball gun, I think Michael knows to stay away from him.” Brandon snickered.

 

************************************************

 

Michael managed to get half a block without getting hit by a paintball. It was getting ridiculous. He went to Carl, wanting the police to do something. Only he couldn’t actually say who was shooting at him. Carl did promise to see if Deb would call them off, but Michael had a suspicion that his mother was enjoying his pain. If only Brian was here. He'd stop this shit and make everyone sorry for daring to mess with Michael.

 

Michael tried to go to the loft, hoping to find a clue as to where Brian went since no one would tell him. Only it was like the closer he got the more paintballs appeared to fly at him. He didn’t believe Lindsay, since she only wanted Brian away from him. He was about to get more than Lindsay ever did, and planned to make her life as miserable as she had tried to make his. Emmett wouldn’t listen to Michael’s normal apologies. He didn’t seem to care what Michael said, and shut the door in his face. The one person who could tell him where Brian went was Brandon. Although there was no way to get Brandon to help him, since he made a mistake the day Brandon told Brian they were brothers. He also knew Brandon would rather see Brian with anyone other than him. Brandon had probably encouraged the blond interloper to turn Brian’s head. 

 

Michael had never seen Brian’s attention as focused on someone as it had been on Justin. He’d hoped it was like when Brian was on the prowl, but he knew better, and for a second he could see his dreams dying. Michael wouldn’t apologize for doing what it took to make sure Brian remembered that he had been the one waiting for everything the man said he didn’t want. It made the timing of what Ted said almost make Michael want to thank Justin, because Brian was now planning to settle down. And it certainly wouldn’t be with some guy Brian just met. Michael finally got to the sub shop that seemed to be a safe zone away from Liberty Avenue. Probably because no one knew him or any of his friends there. 

 

Michael ordered and found a seat. Then, as usual, dialed Brian’s phone again and got the voicemail after the first ring. Michael hung up, planning to have a long talk with Brian about answering when he called. Well, that’s what he planned to do when he found him. He was distracted when he saw Conner James sitting at a table with two other guys. He started to get up to get an autograph, only he stopped when he realized who was sitting with them. Seeing who it was Michael thought he now had a way to get Emmett to stop acting like an asshole. Emmett wouldn’t be happy to see Blake back, and Michael would help him deal with the asshole and get their friendship back on track. Michael snapped a picture of Blake and sent it to Emmett, letting him know where Blake was. He looked up to realize one of the dark haired guys had noticed Michael took the picture. Michael figured he could at least use Connor’s fame as his excuse. He didn’t even worry when Blake said something to the guy while looking directly at Michael.

 

“Is there a reason you took a picture of our table?” Brett asked.

 

“Connor James being in Pittsburgh is a big deal,” Michael told the guy, since it didn’t make any sense that he’d take one of Blake.

 

“Yes, and if someone asked he’d be happy to make a fan’s day, but you aren’t a fan, are you? At least not of Blake, and that means I need to know why you took that photo.” Brett told him.

 

“I can do whatever I want and you demanding an answer doesn’t mean I have to give one. Although Connor should be careful about hanging around a junkie. He really doesn’t need that to get out.” Michael sneered.

 

“Connor and I are here to support our friends. You apparently have a problem with both of the friends we are here to support.” Brett told him.

 

“I only have a problem with Blake because he’s a waste of my friend Ted’s time. I don’t know any other friends of yours.” Michael commented.

 

“Just stay away from my friends and we won’t have a problem,” Brett told him.

 

“Sure, but I doubt that should be a problem since I don’t hang out with losers like Blake,” Michael answered.

 

“But your friends seem to find mine extremely interesting, so it’s likely we’ll be having this conversation again unless you're smarter than I’ve been told,” Brett told him.

 

“Who the hell are you?” Michael asked.

 

“Brett Keller. Look me up.” Brett told him, walking out the door with Blake and Connor.

 

Michael waited until he got to his apartment to look up Brett Keller and realized the guy made a lot of movies he watched over and over. Then he got to photos of Brett and Connor, only to see another person. One which Michael wished would disappear. Then he found much newer photos, seeing red when Brian was in them, holding onto Justin in a way he’d never held Michael.

 

Emmett looked at the picture Michael sent, not seeing the strung out man who fucked with Ted’s head. It still didn’t make Emmett happy to find out Blake was here, and his first thought was to protect Ted from what Blake did to him the last time. Ted didn’t answer when Emmett called, but that wasn’t going to stop Emmett from talking to his friend. He was headed out the door when Brandon and Justin were about to knock.

 

“I need to talk to Teddy before he gets blindsided,” Emmett told them.

 

“He’s not going to be blindsided by Blake being back,” Brandon told him.

 

“You know about Blake being back?” Emmett asked, not sure how he felt about Brandon keeping it from him.

 

“Brian told me, but it wasn’t why we came over to talk to you. Anyway, who told you he was back?” Brandon asked.

 

“Michael sent me a text. What were you two here to for?” Emmett asked.

 

“I talked Brian into going out with me tonight, so I came over to see if you wanted to join all of us,” Brandon asked him.

 

“What about Teddy?” Emmett asked.

 

“Ted wants to see Blake, but he knows how you feel about him and asked us to keep you away until they can talk to each other. So why not come out with me tonight, get to know Justin and his friends and let Ted be the grown-up he is. Let him decide if he’s still in love with the person Blake is now.” Brandon told him.

 

“Ask me what you need to know that will help you give them time,” Justin said to him.

 

“Does he love Teddy?” Emmett asked since that was what he needed to know for Ted.

 

“I think Blake’s more worried that there’s no way Ted could love him after everything he did to him. Connor and I think it’s the reason he changed his name and never wanted to talk about Pittsburgh. Because he didn’t think he had anything left to come back to.” Justin told him.

 

“So he just went on while with his life while Ted thought he’d finally managed to kill himself,” Emmett said, upset.

 

“Blake was dead already by the time we found him,” Justin told him.

 

“What?” Emmett asked, confused.

 

“He didn’t want to be Blake. Maybe it was because being Blake meant being a constant disappointment to everyone. He didn’t tell us who he was until recently. Brett had to know for Connor’s sake, but that was the only person Blake told. I like who Blake became; because as Finn, Blake worked his ass off to become someone we’re all proud to know. If it helps, Brian talked to Blake before he agreed to bring him back here.” Justin told him.

 

“Just let Brian know he gets to be in the hot seat this evening since I’m going to be Teddy-less tonight,” Emmett told them, since he trusted Brian’s judgment.

 

“Make sure to make him sweat since he seems to think torturing me is fun,” Justin commented.

 

“Explain,” Emmett told him.

 

“Brian managed to stay celibate, no matter what Justin tried.” Brandon cackled.

 

“Seriously?” Emmett asked, not sure if he wasn’t dreaming.

 

“Yeah, and then he blackmailed me into moving in with him too,” Justin added since it seemed to distract Emmett.

 

Emmett walked around Justin, looking him up and down. Since he’d never seen a mythical creature he wanted to find what Justin had that caused Brian to go against everything the Stud of Liberty Avenue loved to indulge in. Then he decided to get Mr Kinney back for possibly giving his Teddy back the one man that Teddy never forgot.

 

“Time to make Kinney swallow his tongue,” Emmett told Justin, as Brandon laughed, knowing exactly what Emmett was going to do.

 

“I’ll go along, since Justin is still on the most wanted ass on Liberty Avenue,” Brandon told him.

 

“Why not use it to show Michael exactly what he’s willfully trying not to see,” Emmett told them, dragging Justin to the car.

 

“What?” Justin asked, not sure how he became the way to distract Emmett.

 

“That you’re the only person he would say to hell with his reputation in order to claim,” Brandon told him.

 

“Which he did the minute he opened up his loft and asked you to move in,” Emmett told him.

 

“Brian also changed all the locks and codes,” Brandon told him.

 

“Honey, all you had to say was celibate and the rest makes sense. Granted, if he can withstand Justin after we dress him, then I’ll worry.” Emmett told him.

 

 “How did I become your way of dealing with Emmett?” Justin asked Brandon.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

Brandon followed a giggling Justin and Emmett into Babylon, praying that Brian didn’t kill anyone. He probably would have had a chance if Emmett hadn’t offered shots of courage when Justin backed away from Emmett’s club wear. Brandon vetoed a few, since while enjoying the view of Emmett and Justin in shorts that didn’t leave a lot to be guessed at, he didn’t plan on doing riot control tonight. Which the outfit they picked might still have him doing for both of them. Emmett put skin tight hip hugger black leather pants on Justin, then topped it with a half tee that Emmett got a friend to write ‘I’d fuck me’ across as a joke, since he’d heard Brian say it in the past. Emmett threw glitter on both of them after applying liner on Justin which made it hard to not stare at Justin’s eyes. 

 

Brandon wanted to laugh as each text from Brian wanted to know if Emmett and Brandon planned to bring Justin back or keep him. Brandon sat wondering how Michael was going to take all his plans and little games backfiring, since he doubted Michael understood what he set in motion in the end by trying to get something out of Brian he never wanted from Michael. Tonight, either Michael would get it or he’d find out what it was like to be on the outside of everyone. As far as Bradon was concerned no one deserved it more than Michael did. It wasn’t like Brandon wanted to hate Michael, it was just that he didn’t see why everyone thought there was more there than a jealous little boy who didn’t like anyone near his most prized collectable. Michael was jealous of anyone having a bigger connection to Brian than him. When Brandon showed up to tell Brian about their connection, Michael started small, pointing out anything about Brandon that would make him seem more like Jack Kinney to Brian.

 

What Michael didn’t understand was that Brandon only told Brian because he wanted closure after Jack died. Brandon would have been happy not to have gotten any attention from Jack, or the visits to the hospital his mother and he went on after Jack went home to his real family. It got to the point that his mother would send him to one of her friend’s apartments when she knew Jack was coming over. Brandon never understood what Jack had that neither Brian’s mother or his mother could resist, something both he and Brian agreed on. Brandon liked that Brian understood why he didn’t want to talk about it. It wasn’t that Jack didn’t screw them both up, but it didn’t mean talking about it would change anything. 

 

Lindsay seemed to get that and only offered a shoulder if Brandon needed one. It was how they became friends. She and Mel actually got to know him as Brandon, not as Brian’s brother. Funny that Michael saw his biggest rivals for Brian as Lindsay, Brandon, and Gus. What Michael wanted wasn’t what any of them wanted from Brian, although tonight if Michael showed up he’d find his biggest rival in Justin, who had managed to get Brian’s attention covered in muck and garbage.

 

Brian stood on the catwalk watching for Justin to show up. In the back of his mind he wondered how it was going for Ted, but tonight was for Justin so he let those thoughts go. He saw Emmett first and then Justin right behind him, looking like he’d enjoyed his time with Emmett. Conner and Brett were in the middle of the dance floor dancing together as Emmett dragged Justin in a trench coat through the crowd. Emmett looked up and saw Brian, then bumped Justin to look up. Justin watched Brian as he came down to get to him. When Emmett took off Justin’s coat, Brian started walking faster, as guys started staring and closing in on Justin. Justin didn’t even notice anyone but Brian. There was whispering around the club trying to find out who the new meat was and when one person who’d been at the diner told everyone, they all stopped to see if there would be anything to gossip about in the morning.

 

Michael couldn’t find Ted or Emmett anywhere. He’d looked at the diner, Woody's, and planned to go to Babylon now that he’d exhausted everywhere they were usually waiting for him. He’d even tried the loft, but when his key didn’t work and the landlord told him he didn’t answer to Michael before hanging up, he left, planning to let Brian know what happened when he finally found him. Michael was getting tired of everyone treating him like he did something wrong, he was also tired of having to go home and clean up every time he went to Brian’s loft. Michael didn’t get why they were still acting like he did something they hadn’t forgiven him for before. He needed them now more than ever to show Brian that he was who should be chosen if he wanted to settle down. Michael wanted to believe Brian was only sowing his last oats with the blond twink, since he knew Michael wanted monogamy and marriage. Michael already had a house picked out in a classy neighborhood and dreams of the parties he planned to throw, showing off to everyone that he landed Brian Kinney. He planned to keep Brian’s focus on what he wanted, which meant Lindsay and Mel would be at Michael’s mercy when they expected anything from Brian. Michael smiled at thoughts of slamming the door in their faces, since he would be the most important person in Brian’s life soon.

 

Michael was sitting in the diner, waiting around again when he heard someone saying they saw Brian going into Babylon. Excited that Brian was home, although annoyed he hadn’t called and told him, Michael ran to the club. He made it without anyone hitting him with paintballs and into the club without anyone stopping him. He looked up on the catwalk, to the bar, then rolled his eyes before going into the backroom, ignoring how everyone was watching the dance floor. As Michael wandered the backroom, not finding Brian but pissing off a few guys when he interrupted them, thinking in the dark room it was Brian being serviced.

 

“He isn’t back here tonight.” Todd yelled when Michael was about to cause a brawl in the backroom.

 

“Where is he?!” Michael screamed.

 

“Proving to everyone that Ted was telling the truth, Brian Kinney is settling down. Now will you get out of here before we all end up needing a blue pill because of you.” Todd told him.

 

Michael backed away from the backroom when all the men, not caring they were naked or half dressed picked him up and carried him out of the backroom, dumping him outside the door. Looking around he ended up having to go up to the catwalk, since everyone was circling the dance floor and blocking his view. Michael looked down and saw Connor and Brett dancing with Emmett and Brandon, and figured they were just all excited to have a celebrity in the club, but then realized that was not what everyone was looking at. Then Michael saw Brian, only he was plastered to the blond who was featured in all of Michael’s nightmares. Brian didn’t notice anyone trying to get his attention, instead all his attention was on the man in his arms. Michael wanted this to be another bad dream, but it just got worse as people talked around him. The gossip which he usually laughed at was predicting the end to all of Michael’s dreams. Michael started walking out, dejected, but as he walked out the door, once again he saw a way of turning this around. 

 

*************************************

 

Ted agreed to meet with Blake at his hotel, not wanting to risk anyone showing up at his place as he and Blake talked. It was weird, now that he was in the elevator all the thoughts confusing him were quiet. Instead of being worried this was closure for Blake, he was just hoping that Blake was better and happy with his life. It didn’t matter anymore if this meant the end or the beginning for them. Ted just wanted to see the Blake he always thought was under the drugged up club kid he met. He got to the door, blew out a breath, then before he could knock Blake opened the door. Ted always thought Blake was beautiful even when he was a mess, but he was wrong. Blake, cleaned up took Ted’s breath away.

 

“I figured one of us had to make the first move.” Blake told him nervously.

 

“Once again it was you.” Ted told him, walking in.

 

“I ordered a late dinner, figuring it would be easier to talk if we were relaxed.” Blake told him, as they sat at the table. “I wasn’t sure what you’d like, so I stuck with steak and salad.” Blake rattled on, nervous as hell. “If not, I can call down an order if you don’t like it.”

 

“I’m pretty easy as long as it’s edible.” Ted told him, smiling at Blake who seem to want to jump up and run.

 

“I kept picturing how this would go… I mean, I don’t expect you to be happy with me after the way I took off,  but I didn’t want to see you disappointed in me anymore. So I took the easy way out; but now I look at you and wish I’d been able to clean up my life and stay here with you.” Blake told him.

 

“Why couldn’t you do it here?” Ted asked, not upset but curious.

 

“The first thing I did when I walked out of the rehab was go back to the friends who helped me get there in the first place. I was probably worse than I was when you met me by the time Justin and Conner found me. I’d finally hit rock bottom, but this time I stopped caring if I managed to make it to another day.” Blake told him.

 

“I would have wanted to help you.” Ted told him.

 

“You tried, and I wasn’t going to put you through that again. I wanted to do it for me, and no one else. Which isn’t what I was thinking when you were trying to help me. I only wanted to get clean to make you happy, not me. Which doesn’t mean it was wrong to want to make the man I loved happy, but I needed to do it for me.” Blake told him.

 

“So Conner took you with him?” Ted asked.

 

“At first he and Justin were just going to call the police, but instead they took me to Justin’s mother’s house and cleaned me up. Then Connor offered me a deal when I tried to run away at the suggestion of another rehab in Pittsburgh that he and Justin would pay for. Brett had to know who I really was, since the only name I gave them was Finn, which isn’t my real name in anyway. Brett contacted a friend who stuck with me in rehab, and when I was released he stayed on as a life coach. I got back into school and got a degree, and Brett’s only condition was that I pay it forward. Which I’ve been doing, helping others get their lives straightened out and on a better path.” Blake told him.

 

“I can honestly say I’m happy it all worked out for you.” Ted told him.

 

“But?” Blake asked.

 

“I feel like I failed you.” Ted told him.

 

“You didn’t, it was all on me. I wasn’t ready, and until you are, no one can help you. If you’d found me maybe it would have been different, but there were still the friends who fed my addiction. In California I had no one but Connor and Brett. The friends I made were cleaning up their lives and it encouraged me to do the same thing.” Blake told him.

 

“What are you plans now?” Ted asked.

 

“I want us to be friends if you feel like it’s all you want from me. I think I’m strong enough to come back now, but I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable, so I will understand if you’d rather I stay away after everything.” Blake answered.

 

“What about your life in California?” Ted asked, not answering.

 

“I live in a rental house, my career as a counselor can be done anywhere, and I honestly would like to see if what we started can be more than the things I dreamed up in rehab. California doesn’t have you, so I’d rather be here and see if this time we could make it.” Blake told him.

 

“I thought maybe this was closure for you.” Ted answered.

 

“I need to close that chapter of my life, but not the part you’re in.” Blake told him.

 

“I’m just not sure if I’m ready to trust it will work this time.” Ted told him, honestly.

 

“If it doesn’t, I still want you in my life any way I can have you.” Blake told him.

 

“I’d like that, and hope for more.” Ted told him.

 

“Good. Can we eat now, I’ve been so nervous about seeing you and now I’m starving?” Blake told him, looking Ted up and down.

 

************************************************

 

Justin was actually having fun dancing with Brian and everyone. But seeing Brian naked was the goal of this evening, not watching other guys wish they could see Brian naked. Plus he was getting tired of guys brushing their hands on his ass and the comments congratulating Brian as they seemed to think Justin’s ass was one of the seven wonders of the world. Brian was talking to the manager, and told Justin to meet him at the door so they could leave. Justin ran off to the restroom first since Brian had been pouring water down his throat since they’d danced most of the night away. A few guys either eyed Justin or smirked at him, a few others looked at Justin as if, like Emmett seemed to think, he had some magical power they all didn’t. It was Michael glaring at him that Justin chose to ignore.

 

“Brian wants me, not you.” Michael warned.

 

“Why are you telling me?” Justin asked.

 

“Because you’re turning his head, when he was ready to settle down finally.” Michael told him.

 

“I’m assuming with you?” Justin asked.

 

“Of course with me. We’ve been together for  fourteen years, who else would he want to be with… you? Someone he’s know barely a week?” Michael scoffed.

 

“You and Brian have BEEN together for fourteen years?” Justin asked.

 

“As friends. But eventually he’ll see it should be me that he builds a life with.” Michael told him.

 

“If it was me I’d be asking why he hasn’t opened his eyes after all these years.” Emmett commented, walking into the bathroom and putting himself between Michael and Justin.

 

“Yep, me too.” Justin whispered.

 

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.” Michael protested.

 

“I know Brian didn’t have to think twice about moving Justin in with him after knowing him for a week.” Emmett told Michael. “Big Bad is ready to go home.” He said, turning to Justin.

 

“What, does Brian have to drive him home to Mommy?” Michael said sarcastically, purposely ignoring what Emmett had just said about Brian moving Justin in with him.

 

Emmett waited for Justin to leave, before turning to Michael. “It took Justin one week to do what you couldn’t do in fourteen years. He isn’t settling for you, and he isn’t going to protect you when you fuck up anymore, and he won’t let you fuck with Justin. Enjoy the wicked little games you play.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter 11 by starlight

In Justin’s opinion nothing was more important than the sight in front of him. Brian Kinney naked was a work of art. He’d seen glimpses in California, but the full monty was finally before his eyes and he couldn’t seem to do anything but stare as Brian had started taking the clothes off both of them. Then Brian led Justin to the shower, wanting to relax him because he seemed to look very worried at Brian’s size.

 

“It’ll fit.” Brian whispered, grabbing the soap.

 

“I can’t seem to figure out what to touch first.” Justin told him, relaxing and running his hands down Brian’s chest.

 

“Touch anything you want.” Brian told him, before covering his mouth with a kiss.

 

Brian turned Justin around grabbing the soap and a cloth, lathering it up before running it down Justin’s back. He ran the cloth over each of Justin’s generous globes before he spread the blond’s cheeks open and cleaned every inch he planned to kiss, suck, and fuck. Justin whimpered as Brian teased around his rim, but didn’t go any further. Brian took his time washing Justin, not missing any inch of skin, then started on his hair before finishing, leaving him boneless. Brian dried them both off before leading Justin to the bed.

 

Next, Brian grabbed lube and condoms, dropping them on the side of the bed. He enjoyed seeing Justin laying there like a banquet he could feast on, but first he needed to make sure the younger man was prepared and enjoyed what he was trusting Brian to give him. Brian crawled up over Justin, running his nose along his, then down his cheek licking and kissing each area as he reached it. He reached over for the lube, slicking up his fingers, then sliding them down under Justin’s painfully hard dick, and tracing until he reached the crease and spreading Justin’s ass, letting his fingers slip in between the cheeks one at a time. Brian was as gentle as he could be, but Justin winced at the stretching and burning sensation from the brunet’s fingers breaching him. 

 

“Are you good?” Brian asked.

 

Justin nodded as he got used to the first invasion, only to whimper as Brian added another finger. As Justin adjusted Brian took it further, moving his fingers in and out of Justin, making him jump and moan as his prostate was touched. Justin loved what Brian was doing but eventually his fingers weren’t enough, he wanted more.

 

“I need…” Justin wasn’t sure what he needed other than, “more.”

 

Brian grabbed the condom, putting it on before lining the head of his cock up with Justin’s opening. Brian pushed in slowly, gritting his teeth as Justin’s ass gripped him like a vice. He looked into the trusting blue eyes and only continued when he saw the blond was ready for more. When Brian bottomed out he pulled out slightly and pushed in. Justin started moving with Brian as pain turned into pleasure. Justin started to question why he waited so long to do this, but realized he was glad he waited because he doubted it would have been better with anyone else. Justin wrapped his legs around Brian’s waist, urging him to move faster, and crying out as Brian angled his cock to rub over his prostate with each thrust. Brian got up on his knees, grabbing Justin’s waist as he moved him with each thrust. Justin reached to stroke himself as Brian held back wanting to see the blond cum first. Justin spurted between them seconds later. Brian hammered into Justin as he gave in and came groaning loudly as his hips still moved when he emptied himself into the condom. Brian eased himself from Justin, taking care of the condom before getting up to get a cloth to clean up the younger man. He smiled as Justin watched him, then threw the cloth to the side when the younger man pulled him back up for a kiss.

 

“I think this could be my new addiction.” Justin told him.

 

“You’re my new addiction.” Brian answered.

 

*********************************************

 

Emmett took his new friends out for a late dinner at the diner. Needing to make sure he didn’t go running after his friend as if Emmett knew what Ted needed better the man himself did. He didn’t want to be like Michael, who spent his life thinking he knew what was best for his best friend. He'd enjoyed getting to know Justin’s friends and finding out that Brandon was a pretty great guy. It wasn’t like Emmett thought Brandon was horrible, just that like always he fell into the trap of keeping Michael happy. And for some reason Michael saw Brandon as a threat to his relationship with Brian. Hell, if Emmett was honest, the only people Michael didn’t see as a threat to him were Emmett and Ted. Which was a little insulting, since that meant in Michael’s head Emmett and Ted didn’t stand a chance with Brian.

 

“Why do you look like you want to take off someone’s head?” Brett asked.

 

“Stupid thoughts about Michael.” Emmett muttered.

 

“I try not to think of Michael.” Brandon commented.

 

“It started out with me worried about Teddy and Blake.” Emmett told them.

 

“It’s still weird for me to call him Blake.” Connor told them.

 

“He’ll always be our Finn.” Brett told him, wrapping an arm around Connor.

 

“I just hope Ted gives him a chance.” Connor said, looking at Emmett for an answer.

 

“Teddy really loved Blake and did everything he could for him.” Emmett told them.

 

“Yeah, but until Blake was ready no one could do anything to help him.” Brandon answered.

 

“Very true. Until they reach the bottom, they won’t accept or look for help.” Brett told them.

 

“I guess I wonder where that leaves Teddy.” Emmett commented.

 

“It’s up to Ted to decide where they go from here. Blake came here without any expectations of Ted. He is just hoping Ted will accept his apology for what he put him through. If Ted doesn’t want anything to do with him, Blake is willing to back away.” Brett told him.

 

“I think he still loves Ted, but it was hard for him to figure out why anyone could love him.” Connor told him.

 

“Sometimes I think it’s why Brian didn’t want to believe in love either.” Emmett told them, wanting to change the subject. Emmett was still on the fence, and hearing them defend Blake only made him want to explain the shit Blake did to Ted, which he refused to do since it wasn’t his place or his story to tell.

 

“If you were raised the way we were, love becomes a four letter word used to punish you. Brian would probably still believe that, but Deb was there to show him it could be different, and once he agreed to have Gus with the girls, both of us understood that none of our parents loved us the way a child should be loved.” Brandon said without thinking.

 

“It was the first time I’ve ever seen Brian lower his guard; when Mel put Gus in his arms.” Emmett told them.

 

“I have a feeling we’re going to see it again, since Brian is breaking all his rules for Justin.” Brandon told them.

 

“Which is strange since Justin doesn’t even resemble the guys Brian normally goes for.” Emmett told Brandon.

 

“According to Cynthia, that would be the reason Brian can’t resist Justin.” Brandon answered, rolling his eyes.

 

“Brian was the first guy Justin didn’t ignore, and trust me, guys tried everything to get his attention. It’s why we agreed to meet Brian.” Connor told him.

 

“It wouldn’t have mattered what you thought. Brian would have found a way to get what he wanted.” Brandon told them.

 

“Blake told us the only problem could be Michael.” Brett told them.

 

“In the past, he’d be right, but unlike then, Brian isn’t giving Michael a pass the way he did before.” Brandon told him.

 

“Not that Michael seems to get it. He tried to convince Justin tonight in the bathroom that Brian will eventually want him.” Emmett told them.

 

“Michael will spend his life being miserable unless he figures out that sometimes the one you want doesn’t want you.” Brandon told him.

 

“We just need to make sure Michael leaves Justin alone.” Emmett told them.

 

*****************************************************

 

Michael watched from across the street as Brian and Justin couldn’t seem to keep their hands off each other. He refused to see it as different for Brian to still have the guy there the next morning. What was different was that Brian hadn’t shown up at the diner this morning. Granted, no one did, but Brian never missed breakfast with Michael. Deb ignored Michael when he grumbled about eating alone, only telling Michael he got what he deserved for the way he treated his friends. Michael didn’t know how to take his own mother acting like it was Michael’s fault and not his friends. Watching Brian and the blond intruder made Michael want to go over there and tell Brian it was time to make a choice. As far as Michael was concerned Brian needed to decide who was important, some guy he barely knows, or him, the one who stood by him and made sure he had a place to go when shit hit the fan at home. Michael waited to approach Brian until he finally let go of the asshole and put him in a cab. 

 

Brian needed coffee, since he and Justin didn’t manage to get to sleep. Which is what they’d be doing right now if Justin hadn’t wanted to check on Blake. Brian was curious and called Cynthia, who let him know that Ted came in lost in thought, but otherwise looked normal. Brian wanted to check on Ted since Mel said she hadn’t heard from him. It wasn’t like Brian didn’t worry about the whole situation, but he also trusted Ted to make his own decisions. Brian shook his head, wishing it was already time for the dinner Justin promised to make tonight at the loft. It was the first time he was inviting the girls and Gus over, and as weird as it was for him, he looked forward to playing host for a change. Lindsay managed to keep her gushing down and accepted the invitation without making a huge issue out of it.

 

“Brian!” Michael yelled from behind him.

 

Brian considered just getting in the car and ignoring Michael, but he knew it wouldn’t stop the determined man from hunting him down. Maybe it was time for this to happen. Brian couldn’t keep living the life Michael wanted him to live. He couldn’t let Michael continue to think he would be at his beck and call. Which should have been apparent when Brian didn’t answer any of Michael’s numerous calls or summons. 

 

“What are you doing here?” Brian asked.

 

“Hoping to spend time with my best friend.” Michael told him, as if it should have been obvious.

 

“Right now, I don’t think it’s a good idea.” Brian answered.

 

“So he’s making you give up everything for him?” Michael asked.

 

“He isn’t asking me to give up anything.” Brian told him.

 

“That’s not how it looked last night. Instead of tricking you were being led around by the nose by a trick.” Michael taunted, using what worked in the past with Brian.

 

“Which I’ll happily do if Justin wants to pretend he’s a trick and not the man I’m currently seeing exclusively.” Brian told him, throwing Michael off when he didn’t react the way he expected.

 

“What happens when he wants all the things you proclaim as bullshit?” Michael asked.

 

“I’ll make sure he wants them with me.” Brian told him.

 

“Brian, it’s not what you want.” Michael tried to convince him.

 

“I tried to not to do it this way, understand that, but I don’t have a choice anymore. Michael, you and I are never going to be more than what we are, friends, and we won’t even be that if you don’t accept that Justin is going to be in my life for as long as he’s willing to be with me.” Brian told him.

 

“You barely know him.” Michael argued.

 

“And all I want to do is get to know him more. In time I want to be able to say for the first time that I love someone and mean it.” Brian tells him.

 

“You tell me all the time.” Michael told him, as Brian got into his car.

 

“Like I said I want to mean it, not just say it to say it to someone.” Brian answered, leaving Michael standing there, alone and upset.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 12 by starlight

Justin was still reeling at how easy it had been to fall for Brian. It wasn’t something he believed in- falling in love as fast as he had with Brian. He felt like a silly kid, already thinking Brian was the only person for him. He knew everyone thought he ignored men trying to get his attention for years, but he knew they weren’t looking for more than just a roll in the hay. Which was something Brian was known for, only it seemed he was looking for more with Justin. And Justin was willing to give him the chance to work at a relationship. Maybe it was that Justin wanted to see the true man behind the myth; it didn’t matter, as long as Brian was willing to try for Justin.

 

“It must have been some night since your head has been somewhere else since you got here.” Blake joked.

 

“It definitely was a night I won’t forget, but I feel like it's moving too fast,” Justin told him. 

 

“In what way?” Blake asked.

 

“We've only known each other a week, and I already see us living together; helping Mel and Lindsay with Gus; and wanting to say I love him,” Justin told him.

 

“It happens like that for some people,” Blake commented.

 

“What about you and Ted? What was it like when you two met?” Justin asked, realizing how little he knew about Blake’s life before.

 

“I wasn’t looking for anything but a place to stay on the night we met. I saw Ted and in truth figured he’d be grateful I wanted him. It took meeting him again to realize he was more than just some random trick for the night. The second time we met was when I saw what a great guy he really was, but I was still more interested in my next high than in the man I was falling for. He stuck by me and was willing to help me. But at the time, loving him was worth more than my next high, so I took off and made sure he couldn't find me. I didn’t want him to have to deal with my problems when he could be happy.” Blake told him, as Connor and Emmett came through the door.

 

“Do you regret it now?” Emmett asked, trying not to sound like he was judging Blake.

 

“Being a drug addict, I regret most of my life Emmett, but I don’t regret what I did to Ted,” Blake answered.

 

“Why not?” Emmett asked.

 

“Because Ted didn’t need to have to take care of me. I needed to do that for myself. Ted deserved someone who was his equal, not a guy he had to defend against his friends. And if I’d stayed he would have been dealing with that as you all watched and waited for me to fail again. Which I would have, because when I left Ted, I agree with you, he deserved better than me.” Blake told him.

 

“No, he didn’t. He deserved better than the path you were going down. It wasn’t like you were trying to take him with you.” Emmett told him.

 

“I would have tried. That’s how bad I was when he took me to rehab. I kept thinking Ted didn’t understand why I needed crystal, but he would if I could get him to try it. I wasn’t ready to see how my life would be better without it. It didn’t matter that I fell in love with Ted, just that he was getting in the way of my next fix. I left the clinic because that was all that mattered to me. So I definitely was the guy Ted would have to spend his life trying to fix. ” Blake told him.

 

“You think you’re ready now?” Emmett asked, just wanting to know.

 

“I did what I had to do for me to be better, and now I feel like Ted and I can start as equals if it’s what he wants,” Blake answered.

 

“What did Ted say?” Justin asked.

 

“He wasn’t jumping to start again, but he’s not against it. Which means I need to start looking for a place to stay. Because I want to be with him, even if we don’t end up as anything but friends.” Blake told him.

 

“What about your life in California?” Emmett asked.

 

“I worked and hung out with Brett and Connor, who I love for standing by me, but I want more than just to be their third wheel,” Blake told him.

 

“You know it’s not how either of us ever felt. We love you for the man you became.” Connor told him.

 

“I miss sex, and the only one I want to have it with is Ted,” Blake told him.

 

“Speaking of?” Emmett asked, looking at Justin, to give Blake a break.

 

“Um… You know how you sort of dreamed how your first time would be… well, Brian surpassed all my dreams.” Justin told them, blushing as they stared at him.

 

“Wait, are you saying you’ve never…” Emmett asked, at a loss for words at the idea.

 

“Yep, Justin finally ripped off the chastity belt.” Connor joked.

 

“I just didn’t want to have sex just to do it.” Justin defended himself.

 

“Now that you have, what do you think?” Blake asked, concerned.

 

“That I wish I hadn’t invited Mel and Lindsay to dinner tonight because I’d rather see if Brian could go five times instead of four,” Justin said seriously, before laughing with everyone.

 

******************************************************************

 

Brian wasn’t good at gently broaching a subject. He always figured if you want to know, just ask. It was just that he also didn’t believe that anyone should have to explain themselves. So he sat there with Ted, going over projections instead of asking about Blake. He waited for Cynthia to help him, but she seemed to enjoy his discomfort at talking about felling and relationships.

 

“Everything good with Justin?” Ted asked, giving Brian the opening.

 

“So far he’s everything I could want. What about you and Blake?” Brian asked.

 

“Are we really talking about relationships?” Ted joked.

 

“I seem to have found my way into one, and as we both know, I have no clue what to do,” Brian answered him.

 

“It’s easy Brian, you get to know each other and hope you like what you find out about the person,” Ted tells him.

 

“I do. Justin makes everything that seemed important, not. I don’t feel the need to prove anyone wants me. Just him wanting me is enough.” Brian said, cringing at how sappy it sounded.

 

“For me, it was that I didn’t care about all the shit Blake brought with him. I just loved the guy who listened to Opera because I like it. I could see past the flaws that were there, to the caring guy underneath it all. It’s why all my relationships failed because Blake was it for me.” Ted told him since Brian tried.

 

“Are you going to see if you and Blake can work?” Cynthia asked since the two men were lost about what to say.

 

“He left the ball in my court as to where we go from here,” Ted told her, finding it easier to talk to Cynthia than Brian.

 

“So he wants to try, what’s holding you back?” Brian asked.

 

“I want to know who he is now, and not let our past get in the way. I want to do it right this time, not just jump into bed and hope the rest sorts itself out.” Ted answered.

 

“All I can say is blue balls are not fun, but it did give me time to get to know Justin.” Brian conceded.

 

“And move him in with you.” Ted pointed out.

 

“He needed a place to stay… Okay, I wanted him with me.” Brian told them when they both didn’t believe him.

 

“Where do you see it going?” Ted asked, enjoying that Brian was now in the hot seat.

 

“I don’t have a clue, other than that I want him in my life for a long time. I like his family and friends. I like the way it feels like I’m starting without the baggage that led to me believing a relationship was the last thing I wanted. It’s nice to be just me, and know that’s all Justin wants from me.” Brian told him, hoping to get off the subject.

 

“Which isn’t what you got from us,” Ted said, feeling like shit about the way Brian was seen.

 

“If you two wouldn’t mind an outsider’s view since I’ve been with Brian almost as long. I didn’t see you and Emmett as his problem, not even Deb.” Cynthia told them.

 

“I let Michael do the things he did,” Brian told her.

 

“Yes, but you also led your own life. Even while Michael tried to do it for you. Michael got away with all the shit he did to not only you, Brian, but Ted and Emmett also. He spent his life playing all of you against each other. When you and Ted started Kinnetik, Michael was telling Ted how lucky he was that he was friends with him and met you. Michael tried to make it sound like it was the only reason Brian asked you to work for him. In a way, it sounded like Ted should owe Michael for you taking a chance on him, Brian.” Cynthia told them.

 

 “I offered Ted the job because, like you, he’s the best at what he does,” Brian told them.

 

“I didn’t really listen to Michael. I knew what Brian wanted me for, and nothing Michael said made me think it was about him.” Ted told them.

 

“I know that. But what I was pointing out is that Michael tries to make sure all of you think you wouldn’t be where you are if it wasn’t for him.” Cynthia told them.

 

“I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Deb, not Michael. She’s the one who tried to help. But I wouldn’t let her do more than clean me up. I didn’t protect Michael for Michael, but because Deb is the only real mother I have.” Brian told them.

 

“Deb doesn’t want you to give your life up for Michael,” Ted told him.

 

“I’m about to put it to the test because I won’t let Michael think he means more to me than Justin does,” Brian told them.

 

“How did Emmett handle Blake being back?” Ted asked, knowing how Emmett felt about Blake.

 

“He was busy tarting Justin up for me, which I have to thank him for.” Brian smiled.

 

“I’m hoping he’ll give Blake a chance,” Ted told them.

 

“But?” Cynthia asked.

 

“No buts. If he can’t, then he needs to understand Blake is going to be in my life.” Ted told them.

 

“Or we give Emmett a bit of a distraction. If he’s busy trying to figure out his own relationship then you can figure out yours.” Brian told him.

 

“What did you do?” Cynthia asked, getting excited.

 

“Nothing. Other than agree to get Drew on an athletics campaign. It’s time for Emmett to deal with what he let go of, instead of fumbling around in hopes of finding someone who can be what Drew is to him.” Brian told them.

 

“While you're at it, what about Brandon?” Ted joked.

 

“That one actually has me stumped. Because he needs someone who can look past the reputation and see my brother. Which Justin did. Only he wanted me.” Brian told them smugly.

 

“Are we actually matchmaking?” Ted asked.

 

“No. Just helping out the people who stood by us. Deb and Carl don’t need the shit Michael does to them, either.” Brian told him.

 

“While we’re at it, what about him?” Ted asked, not needing to say Michael’s name.

 

“In his case, we leave him to deal with his own life. Something he needs to do without us.” Brian tells him.

 

“I agree, but you know he’s going to keep trying to get rid of Justin,” Ted commented.

 

“He can do what he wants, while I make sure Justin knows his place in my life. He only has power if we give it to him, which he tried today.” Brian told them.

 

“By reminding you of all the things he did for you?” Cynthia guessed.

 

“Michael wants to think Brian didn’t want relationships because Brian wanted him. He won’t believe that it was because Brian hadn’t found anyone he wanted to have one with, because then Michael would have to admit Brian didn’t want him.” Ted told her.

 

“He just isn’t someone I wanted, it’s that simple. Maybe Brandon was right, I wanted someone who I didn’t have to take care of.” Brian told them.

 

“Why would you when you spent your life taking care of everyone? It’s why I can see Blake in my future. Because he isn’t excusing what he did, but owning it and learning from it.” Ted told them.

 

“So now that I’ve practiced talking about my feelings, can we get to work?” Brian asked them.

 

“Sure thing Boss,” Ted told him.

 

**********************************************************************

 

Michael was sitting in his shop trying to forget what Brian said to him. Brian was just being the asshole he always was when it came to talking about how he really felt. Michael wanted to believe the blond shit just had Brian confused. He was sure that Brian would see being with him was what he should have been doing, not wasting time with ‘blondie’. Michael’s glum mood didn’t improve when Deb showed up with lunch since she wasn’t willing to listen to him complaining about Brian and Justin. Instead, she seemed to be cleaning up and talking to everyone who came in but Michael. Michael perked up when one guy walked in. The guy was gorgeous and was interested in knowing more about comics, so Michael let his thoughts on Brian go for now to see what the guy wanted to know.

 

“You should talk to my son, he knows everything there is to know about comics,” Deb told the guy.

 

“What did you need to know?” Michael asked, walking up to them.

 

“I have a class I teach on gay studies and wanted to add how gay themes are hidden in various books, comics, and movies. I was hoping to find comics to use as a fun way to start the discussion. I’m Ben Bruckner by the way.” Ben said, smiling at Michael.

 

“Michael Novotny,” Michael told him, taking in Ben while comparing him to Brian.

 

Ben waited for Michael to help him, while it seemed like Michael was sizing him up. Ben thought he was cute but he started to get uncomfortable the longer Michael stared at him.

 

“So what do you suggest?” Ben asked when nothing came from Michael.

 

“About?” Michael asked, confused, busy thinking Ben could make Brian jealous.

 

“Comics and gay themes?” Ben asked, now a little flattered that Michael seemed lost.

 

Which seemed to get Michael out of his thoughts and going on and on about every comic he read. By the time Michael finished, Ben wished he slipped out with Michael’s mother when he had the chance. But he was the one who asked and Michael gave him what he asked for. Ben bought the comics, feeling bad about his thoughts when he asked for Michael’s opinion. 

 

“Thanks for helping me, my students love to debate and you’ve given us a lot to use,” Ben told him.

 

“You should talk to my friends. They love to debate. If you want you could come over to dinner at my mother’s house on Sunday.” Michael told him, thinking of an idea about how to make Brian see that he wasn’t going to sit around while Brian fucked around with the blond.

 

Michael waited for Ben to answer while thinking this would also make it so everyone would think Michael was moving on. Maybe it would make Brian realize what he would lose if he didn’t do something about it. Michael also didn’t mind people seeing him with Ben, and making them wish they could be too. He looked at Ben again and figured if Brian could date why not have fun with Ben until Brian stopped acting like the blond was what he wanted. 

 

Ben debated. While he found Michael cute in a nerdy sort of way, he didn’t want to encourage the man into thinking he was interested. Ben wasn’t sure he was ready for a relationship when the last one ended so badly. Although, it would be nice to start meeting people, and have people other than the other professors he worked with to talk to. Maybe Michael would end up appealing to him and give him a reason to move on from what Paul did. Ben was getting ahead of himself but he missed having someone to come home to, and while he was still dealing with what Paul did, it was time to stop acting like all guys would hurt him.

 

“What time?” Ben asked, smiling as Michael once again got lost in thought.

 

“What?” Michael asked, wanting to see all his friends reactions to him with Ben on his arm.

 

“Dinner. What time?” Ben asked.

 

Michael liked that Ben was eager and figured he could at least convince Emmett and Ted to stop discluding him because they like the blond.

 

“How about I pick you up and take you?” Michael asked him.

 

Ben wasn’t really sure if he wanted Michael to know where he lived. Which bothered him, since why would it matter? Only he made that mistake with a student once and really didn’t want to go through dealing with restraining orders again. Not that Michael would do something like that, although he would love to see the officer who helped him again. But it didn’t mean he wanted to deal with that again. Why he was thinking that made him wonder about his decision to go to dinner with Michael.

 

“I could just meet you here instead,” Ben told him.

 

“Okay. I can’t wait for my friends to see… I mean meet you.” Michael told him.

 

“Great. I’ll be here around five.” Ben told him.

 

“Make sure to wear something for clubbing, since we all go out to Babylon after,” Michael told him.

 

“Sure,” Ben said, wondering what he was getting himself into.

 

Chapter 13 by starlight

Justin decided that instead of the dinners his mother liked to throw he’d rather make it less formal and more like when his friends got together. From the way Lindsay talked about Brian in the past, the whole formal dinner wasn’t his thing. Justin just wanted them all to relax and to make it easier on Gus to be included. He called Lindsay and Mel and made sure they both liked seafood and was told they’d bring something for Gus to eat, so he could just deal with the adults. Justin started the paella he hoped everyone would like. Waiting until it was ready to simmer before going to take a shower. 

 

Brian came in, not seeing Justin, only smelling something that told him his blond could cook. Brian heard the shower and Justin singing away and decided he might need him to help with his hard to reach areas. Which was the only reason he wasn’t thrilled to answer the phone instead. In truth, he almost wanted to thank Justin for coming out of the shower still dancing and very naked for not biting Claire’s head off for calling him.

 

“What?” Brian asked, missing whatever his sister was whining about over the phone.

 

“I said, our mother was in an accident and you need to get your ass to the hospital,” Claire whined at him.

 

“Is she dead, dying, or has she killed someone?” Brian asked.

 

“Is that the only way you’ll care?” Claire asked.

 

“How serious is it?” Brian asked, annoyed and wanting to get the conversation over with.

 

“She’s just bumped and bruised, but she’s also in a bit of trouble. Which is why you need to come here and handle it for her.” Claire told him.

 

“Why, is she in trouble?” Brian asked as Justin got dressed, much to his disappointment.

 

“Everything okay?” Justin whispered, only to have Brian kiss him, missing what Claire told him.

 

“Brian are you listening to me?” Claire shouted.

 

“Nope. So say it again.” Brian told her.

 

“She drove her car into her garage door and the fucking nosy neighbor called the police when she just backed the car out and drove to church. It’s not like she hurt anyone else, only the fucking garage door to her house. The police arrested her before they brought her to the hospital to make sure we couldn’t sue them if she’d been hurt and they stuck her in a cell.” Claire told him.

 

“What do you expect me to do about it? I’m assuming she wasn’t sober when it happened, so other than hiring her a lawyer, I don’t see the point in my being there.” Brian told her.

 

“I expect you to for once show some loyalty to your family, when Dad’s bastard wouldn’t,” Claire told him.

 

“What did you expect Brandon to do about ‘our mother’?” Brian asked.

 

“Not arrest her, which is what he did,” Claire told him.

 

“Is he there?” Brian asked.

 

“Yes. And probably enjoying embarrassing mother and me, like it makes him feel good to treat us like crap,” Claire told him.

 

“Hand him the phone,” Brian told her.

 

“Why? I need you to deal with this.” Claire shrieked.

 

“GIVE. THE. PHONE. TO. BRANDON.” Brian gritted out.

 

“Hey. Sorry, I tried to tell her I’d call you and explain everything, but well, you know her,” Brandon told him.

 

“What happens after she gets done at the hospital?” Brian asked.

 

“She’s staying overnight for observation. She broke her nose. I asked the doctor to keep her here until morning, as a favor. I’d rather not bring her in until she’s sobered up in the morning.” Brandon told him.

 

“What did she do?” Brian asked, knowing Brandon was trying to protect him.

 

“She got pretty belligerent with the cop arresting her, and wasn’t happy when I showed up. She made sure everyone knew I was going to burn in hell, then tried to get away from the officer when he went to arrest her. The officer agreed not to add trying to escape arrest to her charges, but there’s nothing I can do about the DUI.” Brandon told him.

 

“Do I need to come?” Brian asked.

 

“No. The only reason she’s staying here is to sober up before she and Claire make even bigger idiots out of themselves in front of the whole department. Lucky for her this is her first DUI and the other cop was willing to overlook her behavior for me.” Brandon told him.

 

“Just call me if Claire gives you shit.” Brian told him.

 

“I’ve got this for you. Enjoy your evening and tell Justin to save me a plate.” Brandon told him.

 

“What’s going on?” Justin asked, concerned.

 

“I’ll deal with it in the morning,” Brian told him, not wanting to explain his mother and sister yet.

 

“If you need to go, I can call and cancel tonight with Lindsay and Mel,” Justin told him.

 

“I’d rather be here with you and Gus. It’s nothing I can’t deal with tomorrow.” Brian told him, going to change clothes.

 

“It sounded serious,” Justin told him, sitting on the bed.

 

Brian changed thinking about how to explain his mother to Justin. It wasn’t easy for him to talk about his family even with the people who knew about his past, and with their relationship only just starting, did Justin really need to know about the shit that came with his mother and sister? Brian remembered what Ted said and knew eventually it would be something Justin needed to know, so he took a breath and told Justin what happened tonight and why he wasn’t going to let it affect their plans for the night.

 

“I can go with you tomorrow if you need me to.” Justin offered.

 

“I can deal with it. I’m just glad only the garage door was damaged and not worse,” Brian told him.

 

“I’m sure you can deal with it, but since we’re together that means I want to be there for you,” Justin told him.

 

“I don’t want you to have to deal with the bullshit that comes with my mother and Claire. They aren’t going to be happy I’m there, much less my boyfriend.” Brian told him.

 

“You’re worried about what they’ll say about me?” Justin asked.

 

“I don’t include them in my life because nothing about my life would be worth hearing what they think about it. It’s just not something I want you to have to see.” Brian told him.

 

“I won’t think any less of you because of your family. We all have shitty people, but it doesn’t define who we are.” Justin told him.

 

“Can we just enjoy tonight and deal with it tomorrow?” Brian answered, not sure why he was agreeing to let Justin meet Claire and St Joan.

 

“Can I offer a suggestion before we drop it for the night?” Justin asked.

 

“As long as we do, at least until Mel and Lindsay go home.” Brian told him.

 

“Blake should come with us. He’s dealt with people who need help and might be able to talk your mother into treatment.” Justin told him.

 

“I doubt she’ll agree. Nothing is more important to my mother than her next drink, not even when her son was being beaten,” Brian said wishing he could unsay it.

 

“Then she can sink or swim on her own if she doesn’t take what your willing to do for her,” Justin told him, trying not to react to what Brian just told him. It wasn’t like he didn’t know about Jack Kinney from Brandon.

 

“Brandon told you about dear ole dad didn’t he?” Brian asked, following Justin out of the room.

 

“Enough that I think roasting in hell was too good for him.” Justin told him.

 

“I don’t want pity. It’s one thing I don’t want from anyone.” Brian told him.

 

“You survived and became you, so no pity from me. Just understand that if they think I’ll put up with bullshit from them, they’ll wish they walked away.” Justin warned.

 

“Gonna defend my honor?” Brian teased.

 

“Well yeah, I mean the sex alone is worth putting up with hellhounds for.” Justin joked, trying to lighten the mood.

 

“I’ve created a monster,” Brian smirked, as the buzzer sounded.

 

Justin watched as Brian took Gus, and saw the way he let go of anything bothering him to pay attention to his son. Lindsay smiled as she watched Brian wander around whispering to Gus and pointing out Justin to him. Mel ignored them, going to the kitchen to talk to Justin.

 

“So how are you dealing with Asshole?” She joked.

 

“He’s nothing like I thought.” Justin told her.

 

“Strangely enough he gets better the longer you know him.” Mel told him.

 

“Smelly Melly that’s almost sweet,” Brian commented.

 

“Shut up, you know I love you.” Mel told him, taking Gus.

 

“Wendy, I think I just heard the four horsemen.” Brian teased.

 

“Yeah, well can they wait until after dinner because I’m starving. Meanwhile you two can pretend to hate each other to hold the horsemen at the door.” Lindsay told them.

 

“Mel can we talk while Justin finishes?” Brian asked.

 

“Everything okay?” Lindsay asked.

 

“As okay as it can be with my mother.” Brian answered her.

 

“I’ll help Justin, just let me know if you need me too.” Lindsay offered.

 

“Thanks, but Justin and I can handle this,” Brian told her and wondered why that excited Lindsay.


Chapter 14 by starlight

Deb came home from her overnight shift at the diner, planning to cook breakfast for Carl then getting some much needed sleep. She loved it. Knowing that when she came home, Carl was there waiting at the end of her day. It was why she wanted to ring her son’s neck every time he treated Carl like an intruder in HER house. Just thinking about Michael and the way he’d been acting gave Deb a headache. She wondered when he’d finally see it was time to move on and find a life that didn’t include Brian in the starring role. It was hard for her to watch Michael ruin his life, but there was nothing they could do to fix this for him. Brian couldn’t help to guide him because Michael would see it as proof of what he wanted to believe, that Brian loved him and would always take care of him. The truth was it was time for Michael grow up and find out that sometimes life doesn’t go where you want it to. Deb knew that from personal experience, and it was time her spoiled brat of a son figured it out for himself.

 

“Hungry?” Deb asked, when she found Carl drinking coffee at the table.

 

“A little. How was everything last night?” Carl asked.

 

“Nothing new. What about you?” Deb responded, getting out eggs and bacon.

 

“No new cases hit my desk, which was good.” Carl answered her.

 

“What wasn’t?” Deb asked, knowing that he was holding something back.

 

“The beat cops had a DUI that sort of got out of hand. I got a call this morning that a request came in to have Brandon pulled from the case, which wasn’t how I wanted to wake up this morning.  The fact that Brandon wasn’t even on the case didn’t seem to matter, or that he called in a favor and got the resisting arrest charge dropped.  He did the idiot a favor, and got a complaint lodged against him for his help.” Carl grumbled.

 

“What aren’t you telling me?” Deb asked.

 

“The person arrested was Joan Kinney. Brian’s sister is acting like Brandon is the reason Joan was drunk and driving yesterday.” Carl answered.

 

“She doesn’t like Brandon, so nothing he does would matter to Claire.” Deb told him.

 

“Brandon should’ve walked away instead of trying to help them, but his loyalty to Brian makes him willing to do anything to help his brother. It’s not hard to see why Brian chose Brandon over the other two. Maybe I’m biased, because I’ve always been proud of Brandon.” Carl told her.

 

“I know you are, and I also know I should’ve made more of an effort to get to know him.” Deb told her husband, realizing her mistake in the way she ignored Brandon to appease Michael.

 

“I’m not going to tell you it didn’t disappoint me, but I can understand. You know I’m not Michael’s biggest fan, but in the end he is your son.” Carl responded.

 

“But?” She asked.

 

“No buts. You did what was best for Michael and I can understand it. Just like you need to understand that it’s not likely he and I will ever get along. I tolerate Michael for you, but there is going to come a day when he says something about us that I won’t sit back and allow. I don’t give a shit what he thinks or says about me, but I won’t put up with him disrespecting you.” Carl told her.

 

“I’m done allowing his attitude. He either accepts our relationship or he finds out that OUR home isn’t going to be a place I allow him to disrespect either of us. That includes people we welcome into our home.” Deb responded.

 

“I’m assuming this is about Brian and his boyfriend?” Carl asked.

 

“Brian, Ted, Emmett, their partners, and the families of all of them included.” She answered.

 

“What brought this about?” Carl asked.

 

“Part of it is the way he treats you and the other part is seeing Jen and Brandon together. When I saw Brandon’s need for someone to give a shit about him, it reminded me of when Brian was younger. I guess it’s also the fact that even when I wasn’t welcoming to Brandon he still respected me more than Michael does. The fact that Brandon willingly tried to help Brian by helping Joan, and that he goes out of his way to help with Gus when the girls need him to shows me what kind of man he really is. He didn’t try to force his way into Brian’s circle, as opposed to the way Michael tries to keep everyone out of it. I know that’s what bothered me the most, seeing that Brian and Brandon turned out better than the son who I did everything for, yet he isn’t half the man they are.” Deb said, sounding disappointed in herself.

 

“Red, you did everything you could, the rest is up to Michael to do. I’m proud of you for not trying to force everyone else to jump in and act like Michael can treat them any way he wants and get away with it.” Carl told her.

 

“Brian should be allowed to fall in love with whoever he wants. Michael needs to realize it was never going to be him. It’s something everyone but Michael understands. Plus, from everything I hear about Justin from Jen, Brian couldn’t have fallen in love with someone better for him. Justin is a lot like Brian. They both work for what they want and don’t need anyone to hold their hand. For about two seconds I hoped that maybe Justin might be someone for Michael, or at the very least make it so my son would open up his world instead of clinging to the same people, places, and things. Which was me once again trying to fix Michael’s world.” Deb told him.

 

“You’ll always want that for your child. I want the same for mine, but there’s a point where you have to let them spread their wings and fly or fail. All we can do is love them, which isn’t the problem for you.” Carl told her.

 

“Do you think Brian will want support today when he deals with his mother?” Deb asked, changing the subject.

 

“You know both of them better than I do, but maybe let Brian decide if he needs your support and take it from there. Brandon will be there no matter how Claire feels about it.” Carl answered.

 

“Which means Joan and Claire will try to make both Brian and Brandon miserable for helping Joan out of what she did to herself.” Deb told him.

 

“All drunks blame everyone but themselves when they get caught. Joan got lucky that Brandon made it so she could stay in the hospital instead of the cell that she would have been in last night. I think a little time in the drunk tank would have been better.” Carl told her.

 

“Where is she now?” Deb asked.

 

“On her way to the station, then booking.” Carl told her.

 

“Let me get breakfast in you, before you have to deal with that dragon.” Deb laughed, as the front door opened and Michael walked in like he still lived there.

 

Michael had been sitting outside listening to them talk, not liking the way his mother didn’t defend him. He almost came in ready to ask Carl what right he had saying shit about him. But when he heard about Joan, he knew Brian would be happy to have his ‘best friend’ at his side, so he figured he’d wait and deal with the rest of the shit Carl convinced his mother of later when he was alone with her. Plus, he needed to get his mother to host the dinner, since the idea of bringing Ben should work to get Brian to see that he wasn’t going to wait around forever for him to get his head of the blond’s ass.

 

“What are you doing here?” Deb asked.

 

“I came to see you, what else?” Michael answered, sounding petulant.

 

“I don’t know son, what else?” Deb asked.

 

“I sort of invited the guy from the shop to have dinner with us, and wanted to make sure I didn’t make an ass out of myself if you weren’t having one.” Michael told her.

 

“Is there a reason you wanted to include him?” Deb asked, hoping this meant something.

 

“We sort of hit it off when he was at the shop, and well, I thought maybe it was time for me to at least see if it could go anywhere. I mean with everyone else meeting new people, I’m tired of sitting around by myself waiting for things that aren’t going to happen the way I want them to.” Michael told them.

 

“I can call the guys and see if they’ll come, but I’m not going to make them think they have to. You’ve treated them all badly and for once it’s up to you to show them you can accept their choices.” Deb told him.

 

“I know. It’s just that I’d like if they would at least try to welcome Ben, and maybe they’ll understand why I was upset about the way everyone acted like I wasn’t one of their best friends anymore.” Michael told her, as Carl rolls his eyes.

 

“Or you could see that when you start a relationship, friendships aren’t what should be important.” Carl told him.

 

“Whatever. Anyway, I’ll bring Ben, so make sure everyone comes.” Michael told her before hurrying out the door. He wanted to be at the station when Brian got there and make sure he saw how his ‘best friend’s’ support was what Brian needed. 

 

“What are you going to do?” Carl asked Deb.

 

“Pray that Ben does what no one else ever did for Michael; then nicely ask if they’ll come to dinner. I promise not to guilt them.” Deb answered him.

 

**************************************************

 

Brian smiled as he woke up smelling Justin’s hair and the feeling of his blond sprawled on top of him. It was strange, how normal it felt, and the fact that Brian didn’t feel boxed in with Justin on top of him. He didn’t want to move and deal with his mother but it wasn’t like they’d leave him alone if he just didn’t show up. He agreed with Mel that maybe it was time to let his mother face the shit she brought on herself. Which was why he wasn’t going to hire a lawyer. He would let her deal with an overworked public defender. If he hired someone she’d likely get off with a slap on the wrist, which wouldn’t solve anything. He also liked what Justin brought up, which was to see if Blake could convince her it was time to clean up her act. Brian didn’t think that by ignoring what his mother’s problems caused last night it would change much between him and St Joan. 

 

Bringing Justin with him was going to be interesting. His mother and sister might know Brian was gay, but they’d never had to see it. In the past it wasn’t an issue since no one was important enough to him to expose them to his family. As the days went by Justin was becoming more important, to the point where Brian felt like he couldn’t breathe without him. Shit, he was turning into a lesbian, and the fact that he was okay with it said a lot for Justin. It also meant a lot that Justin wanted to be there to support Brian; hell he wanted to slay dragons for Brian, which was something he wasn’t used to anyone being willing to do for him.

 

“What time do we need to get going?” Justin asked, kissing Brian’s chest.

 

“If it was up to me we wouldn’t be going at all, but we need to get up. Just promise me, no matter what they say you won’t let them see they bothered you.” Brian told him.

 

“Are you still going to use the public defender?” Justin asked.

 

“At first I wasn’t, but I saw what Mel was saying. If Blake is going to be able to make her do what we talked about, she needs to see she won’t have a choice.” Brian answered.

 

“Do you think it will change anything between you and her?” Justin asked.

 

“I doubt it. There’s just too much bad that I can’t get past. I wish I could say I don’t give a shit, but she’s my mother.” Brian told him.

 

“I feel the same way about my dad.” Justin commented.

 

“Is that why you haven’t talked about him?” Brian asked.

 

“Not much to say since he and I don’t talk to each other anymore. He doesn’t like having a gay son and I don’t like having a hypocrite for a father.” Justin answered.

 

“Explain.” Brian asked.

 

“He acts like I owe it to him to be who he wants me to be when my mother was the one who raised us, was there for everything, and stuck by us when he bailed on the family. Which he blames on me, since according to him we were happy until I decided to be gay. He expected my mother and Molly to shut me out of their lives but he forgets he wasn’t really there for any of us. Instead he was busy being everywhere but home.” Justin answered.

 

“If it was him in jail would you help him?” Brian asked.

 

“I’d love to say no, but for Molly I’d at least do what your doing.” Justin told him.

 

“Is he close to Molly?” Brian asked.

 

“He pays for her to go to college. For him that’s being there.” Justin answered.

 

“How does Molly feel about him?” Brian asked, knowing he was avoiding getting up.

 

“Pretty much the same way I do, but that has more to do with Dean than me. My dad isn’t happy that Dean supports Molly in her art and pretty much loves how independent my sister is. My dad loves to remind Molly that he pays for her ‘hobby’.” Justin told him.

 

“Why does she let him?” Brian asked.

 

“I offered and so did my mother, but Molly thinks my father should have to do it since he fucked my mother over when they got divorced. Which at the time sucked, but now Mom makes more than my dad does, so I think it’s more that Molly likes pissing him off that she isn’t joining sororities and planning her future as a housewife. I really don’t even try to understand the way Molly’s mind works anymore. Now get up and let’s deal with Joan.” Justin told him, getting up and heading to the shower. 

 

As Brian washed Justin’s hair he decided to tell him more about Joan before he met her.

 

“Blake is going to have to work to get her to willingly go to rehab.” Brian told him.

 

“He won’t. If she won’t agree, he’ll walk. It’s something we have talked about. It’s the reason he would turn down clients even when they offered to pay him more to be their coach. He wasn’t willing to waste his time with someone unless they were going into it willingly.” Justin told him.

 

“For her, drinking is like eating a meal. In fact, liquor is sometimes the only thing she consumes in a day. I grew up being taught not to take out all the empty bottles at once. We had storage where the bottles stayed, only bringing out a few at a time for garbage runs. She didn’t have a problem with dumping Jack’s bottles, since he didn’t hide his drinking from the neighbors. When I lived with her she’d go through two to three bottles a day, and now I’m sure it’s worse since she’s living alone. For a while I drove her around, but I just didn’t have the time for it with Gus and work.” Brian told him.

 

“I don’t have it in me to forgive her for letting you get hurt.” Justin commented, pulling Brian down for a kiss.

 

“I lived. And each day since we met I’ve found more reasons to believe love doesn’t mean being hurt.” Brian answered.

 

Brian laughed when Justin’s posse decided they were all coming, Ted shrugged and told Brian he’d bring everyone in his car. Brian was happy to see Ted at the suite when they showed up to pick up Blake. Brian left them outside the station when people stopped Conner for autographs and told Justin and Blake he wanted to talk to his mother first, then Blake could come in. He walked into the station, not having any problem finding Claire since she was complaining loud enough for all of Pittsburgh to hear hear her. What he didn’t expect was to see Michael standing there with Claire as if he had some reason to be there. Brian almost walked out, but saw his nephews, who looked like they’d rather be anywhere but here. Brian planned to ignore the devil’s spawn, but had to wonder why Claire would bring them with her. 

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be in school?” Brian asked, ignoring Claire’s glare that he didn’t go straight to her. 

 

“Grandmother needs us.” John said, as if repeating what he was told to say.

 

“I’d rather be at school.” Peter mumbled.

 

“Brian, get over here and tell them this is bullshit.” Claire ordered.

 

“Brian will deal with it now that he showed up.” Michael commented, standing next to Claire.

 

Michael was glad to see that Brian hadn’t brought the blond with him. What he didn’t expect was that Brian would ignore him, focusing his attention on Claire.

 

“Is there a reason you brought John and Peter?” Brian asked his sister.

 

“Brian, we need to deal with Mother. It’s not like it matters where John and Peter are.” Claire answered him.

 

“Since I’m the one you expect to deal with it, you and the boys don’t have any reason to be here. So do everyone a favor and take them to school, where they belong, and leave me to deal with it.” Brian told her.

 

Brian knew the second Justin walked in, because Michael stopped whatever he was going to say to glare behind him at the blond. Only, instead of saying anything to Justin, he targeted Blake instead.

 

“I can’t believe you have the nerve to come around us.” Michael snapped at Blake.

 

“Still the same old Michael I see. I’ll go deal with what we discussed.” Blake told them, walking off.

 

“What the hell is he doing here?” Michael asked Ted as he walked in.

 

“Whatever he wants Michael, so butt the fuck out of it.” Ted answered him.

 

“Who the fuck are you?” Claire asked Justin, when he walked over to Brian.

 

“I’m your brother’s fucking boyfriend.” Justin said sweetly.

 

“No you’re… Whatever. Brian, why don’t we go help your mom.” Michael said, barely refraining from screaming at the idea that Brian didn’t say a word at being called the blond’s boyfriend.

 

“Justin and I are planning to, so I’m not sure why you’re here.” Brian told him, looking unimpressed and annoyed that Michael was even there.

 

“I wanted to help you, like I have always done in the past and always will.” Michael told him.

 

“By doing what?” Justin asked.

 

“Let’s go.” Michael said to Brian, ignoring Justin.

 

“I can’t believe you. Mother needs you and you purposely want to cause a scene.” Claire said, wondering what the hell Brian was doing by bring his ‘boyfriend’ with him.

 

“Because I brought my partner with me?” Brian asked.

 

“You know how Mother feels about this bullshit.” Claire whispered.

 

“If she or you have a problem with Justin, then we can just walk out of here.” Brian told her.

 

“Brian, it would be better if I was there since your mother knows me.” Michael commented.

 

“I’ll ask since you ignored Justin. By doing what?” Brian asked.

 

“By being there for you, like I always am. I mean, what the hell is he going to do, other than wanting to show off that he’s with you?” Michael asked, dismissing any reason Brian would need Justin.

 

“I don’t need you to hold my hand, since I have someone who not only will, but also planned to actually help me deal with my mother. Go to work. And Claire, take the boys to school. I’ll call if I can think of something either of you could do other than be in the way.” Brian told them, walking over to where Brandon was standing talking to Blake.

 

Justin stopped before following Brian, ignoring Michael to talk to Claire. “ ‘Pissing off the entire police department isn’t going to help your mother’ is what Brian was trying to tell you.” He said, since Claire still hadn’t moved.

 

“I don’t need Brian’s fuckbuddy telling me what to do.” Claire said, talking down to Justin.

 

“And he doesn’t need a sister who only bothers with him when it’s time to clean up the messes you made of your own lives. You should be thankful he came, yet all I see is you thinking he owes you something for being unfortunate enough to be related to you. So do him and your sons a favor by doing what he asked, because he isn’t kidding about letting you handle this by yourself if you continue to piss him off.” Justin told her.

 

“Brian needs us, not you.” Michael told him.

 

“So what’s it going to be Claire? Are you going to do what Brian asks or do I go over there and tell him you plan to handle everything?” Justin asked her, not answering Michael.

 

“He better make sure Brandon understands we aren’t happy with him getting involved.” Claire told him.

 

Ted walked over to get Justin to go to Brian before he came back. Ted could deal with Claire and Michael, but he couldn’t stop Brian from killing them. That was something Ted thought only Justin was likely capable of doing. “I think you better get over there with Brian.” Ted told Justin.

 

“He should just leave, we can help Brian.” Michael announced.

 

“Ted asked me, not you, so I’d say he doesn’t think either of you can.” Justin said as he walked over to Brian. 

 

Michael glared as Brian once again held onto Justin like he needed him. He started over to him, only to be blocked by Brett. “Is there some reason you don’t get hints?” Brett asked Michael.

 

“I don’t give a shit what you say.” Michael told him.

 

“You don’t give a shit what Brian said either, which was that he doesn’t need you. So I’m going to tell you again, leave so Brian can deal with it.” Ted told both Michael and Claire.

 

“I’m here for Mother, and to make sure Brandon doesn’t fuck us over even more.” Claire told Ted as Michael nodded like a bobble-head doll.

 

“If Brandon hadn’t gotten involved, your mother would be dealing with more than a DUI, and would have spent last night in the drunk tank. Granted, maybe he should have let you handle it, since you’re impressing everyone here with your hysterics. If you two plan to help pay the bail or for a lawyer then I’ll personally lead you both over to where Brian is to help him, but since neither of you are doing that, do what Brian asked and go.” Ted told them.

 

“I don’t see a lawyer.” Claire replied.

 

“And I don’t see you offering to pay for one. So what’s it going to be, stay and figure this out or go and do what Brian asks?” Ted asked.

 

Claire shifted, pissed that they were all ganging up on her, then flounced off, yelling at the boys to get in the car. Ted turned to Michael, waiting.

 

“I hope you’re not stupid enough to get involved with meth-boy again.” Michael said, hoping it would get Ted to expect Blake to leave.

 

“What I do with Blake, let me say his name again so you don’t forget it. BLAKE, B-L-A-K-E. What I do with him isn’t really any of your business, any more than Brian’s relationship with Justin is. Which, since you can’t seem to get it through you head, Brian isn’t playing around when it comes to Justin. Just like I’m not going to overlook anything you say about Blake. If our relationships are a problem for you, let me help you by telling you that we don’t give a shit how you feel about them. Now, like I just said to Claire, unless you're actually here to do anything but try to prove to Brian that he needs you, which he very obviously doesn’t, then follow in the footsteps of Claire and go somewhere other than here.” Ted told him.

 

“Brian doesn’t need some guy he barely knows pretend to help him. Shit Ted, it’s not like the blond… Justin, can understand things the way I can.” Michael said, trying to sound concerned.

 

“The fact that Brian brought Justin tells me different, and the fact that he didn’t call you says all I need to know. Since I don’t plan to be here all day arguing with you, I’m going to do what Brian asked me to do.” Ted told him, walking over to Carl.

 

Michael sat on the bench crossing his arms, making sure everyone in the station knew he wasn’t happy to be left out of everything. 

 

Brian and Justin followed Carl to the room his mother was sitting in waiting for him to appear. Justin wasn’t really sure what he expected to see, but he wasn’t surprised at the black eyes since she broke her nose. Joan’s sour expression when Brian walked in made Justin want to remind her that Brian was the one dealing with her fuck-ups. Joan was fidgeting and looked ready to crawl the walls, which reminded Justin of Blake as he had dealt with detoxing. It said a lot that Joan was already having issues from less than one day without alcohol.

 

“I can’t believe you didn’t show up at the hospital last night.” Joan snipped.

 

“I didn’t see the point since the only reason you were there was in hopes to sober you up before you embarrassed yourself at the police station.” Brian told her.

 

“Why is HE here?” She asked, sneering at Justin and ignoring what Brian said.

 

“He wanted to be here.” Brian told her.

 

“This is family business.” Joan tells him.

 

“If you want my help then you deal with the fact that my partner isn’t going anywhere.” Brian told her.

 

“When do I get to go home?” Joan asked, not wanting to piss off Brian when she needed him.

 

“As soon as the public defender gets here. Right now he’s talking to someone to decide on how to proceed.” Brian told her.

 

“What do you mean a public defender?” Joan asked.

 

“I don’t plan on paying your way out of trouble this time. Even if I hired a lawyer, he wouldn’t be able to change the fact that your blood alcohol was over twice the legal limit when you got in your car and drove. The only help I’m planning on offering you is rehab, and someone to help you once you’ve completed rehab. It’s time to get out of the sherry bottle.” Brian told her.

 

“I’m not a drunk, and I’m sure the test they did was wrong. I don’t have a problem.” Joan told him, angry he’d said that about her in front of a stranger.

 

Joan got further upset when Blake came in the door, and wasn’t happy when he sat next to her.

 

“We have something to discuss, because I’m not going to waste my time if you aren’t going to agree to what the DA is willing to agree to.” Blake told her.

 

“Brian, I’d like to talk to you alone.” Joan said, not liking where this was going.

 

“There’s nothing for us to talk about.” Brian told her, nodding to Blake.

 

“Mrs. Kinney, while this is your first DUI and you won’t do any jail time, it’s better to show up in court willing to help yourself. Which is what I’m offering to help you with, but I need you to want the help or we’re both going to be wasting our time.” Blake told her.

 

“I’m not a drunk, so I don’t need rehab, or anyone else telling me I have a problem.” Joan told him.

 

“Then you can deal with this on your own, because you don’t have a problem, Mother.” Brian told her, getting up.

 

“Which also means you’ll be here for a few days until your bail is set. And since Brian won’t be paying it, then you will need to have your daughter pay it.” Justin told her.

 

“And until that happens you’ll be here, dealing with what happens when you can’t get to a drink.” Blake told her, watching her shake and seeing the fear in her eyes. “Right now it’s not as bad as it’s going to get.” He told her.

 

“I’m just cold and tired.” Joan commented, brushing him off.

 

“I can’t do anything for you if that’s what you plan to stick to.” Blake told her, getting up.

 

“Good luck.” Brian told her, turning to follow Blake.

 

“I’ll be out in a minute.” Justin told him, hoping Brian would trust him. Brian leaned down, kissing Justin before walking out.

 

“It’s not going to work. Brian wouldn’t do this to me.” Joan mumbled.

 

“He isn’t going to back down from this Mrs. Kinney. It’s time to pay the piper for your sins.” Justin told her.

 

“I don’t have to listen to a sodomite.” Joan sniped at him.

 

“Nope you don’t, but then a couple days without a drink shouldn’t be an issue since you don’t have a problem, right? And since Claire can afford to get you out, then you don’t have to worry about what Brian is willing or unwilling to do. Here’s the thing, nothing I know about you makes me think Brian should help you, but he’s still willing, which says a lot about him and not much about you. And you don’t have a drinking problem, so in my book it doesn’t excuse you for anything you didn’t do when he was being hurt by his father.” Justin told her.

 

“Jack disciplined him.” Joan corrected.

 

“Is that what Christian people do, beat the shit out of their kid and call it discipline? Was getting drunk while it happened just your way of celebrating that Brian needed discipline, or was it your way of drowning out his screams?” Justin asked.

 

“I don’t like what you're implying.” Joan warned him.

 

 

“I don’t like what you did either. And I wonder how you can sit here trying to pretend you don’t have a problem. I don’t like that Brian suffered because of you, but then you don’t see it that way do you? You want to know what I saw when Blake was talking to you? Fear. Not at the DUI, but at the idea your next drink wasn’t going to be for days. If you’re not an alcoholic two days here won’t be problem.” Justin said, getting up.

 

“You don’t understand what my life is like. Just because I take a sip now and then doesn’t mean I have a problem.” Joan told him.

 

“No, a sip isn’t a problem, if that’s all it is. A problem would be not being able to get rid of the empties because then you’d have to admit it wasn’t just a sip anymore.” Justin told her.

 

“It’s really none of your business.” Joan told him, not liking the truth.

 

“But Brian is, and while I say let you rot the way you left him to, he’s a better man than I am. If you don’t have a problem, then rehab should be a piece of cake.” Justin told her.

 

“It would be a waste of time and money.” Joan told him.

 

“Brian and Blake are willing to do both, and you can prove them wrong. It would be a win for you.” Justin told her.

 

“Why are you trying to convince me?” Joan asked.

 

“Because right now Brian wants to help you, even if you did nothing to help him all his life. If you decide to stick to not wanting his help I think you’ll finally give him a reason to be done with you. I’m voting for you to refuse, since I don’t like you and probably never will.” Justin told her.

 

“I’m going to accept, and once I prove I don’t have a problem I expect an apology from my son.” Joan demanded, more worried that Brian would finally really give up on her.

 

Justin walked out, hating that she agreed, but doing what he did, for Brian. Michael wasn’t the only one who could play games. Justin knew just how to get people to do what he wanted them to do.

 

Chapter 15 by starlight

Michael was smirking when he heard Blake saying that Joan was refusing help. They didn’t know Joan the way Michael did, and he felt vindicated that they couldn’t ‘help’. Michael was standing as close as he could get, planning to make his move to remind Brian that he was the only one who understood Brian and his family. Michael rolled his eyes when the blond walked over, thinking the guy needed to stop acting like Brian belonged to him.

 

“What did she say?” Blake asked Justin.

 

“She agreed to go to the rehab.” Justin told him.

 

“How did you get her to agree?” Brian asked.

 

“I used her self righteous need to be right against her. She plans to prove us all wrong, so I goaded her into doing it.” Justin told him.

 

“I’m truly sorry.” Brian said, looking over at Blake.

 

“What for, it’s what we wanted her to do.” Blake told him.

 

“But now your stuck dealing with St Joan.” Brian smirked.

 

“Trust me, she isn’t the worst I’ve dealt with, or even the most deluded. I don’t really care if she likes me, since for the first few weeks she’s going to hate me. I also need to make sure you keep everyone away from her until she’s through the detox and until we have time to deal with why she turned to drinking in the first place.” Blake told Brian.

 

“In other words I need to keep Claire away.” Brian commented.

 

“I don’t think she’s going to want your mother to get better. Which means she’ll do what she can to convince Joan we, and not the drinking, are the problem. Eventually Joan will have to do that for herself, but for now she wants to believe we’re making an issue out of something that isn’t an issue for her. I need to push her out of her comfort zone, and keep her away from the people who let her pretend there wasn’t a problem in the first place. I called a place out of town that has an opening, and the DA is willing to release her to me today.” Blake told him.

 

“We’ll go with Blake. So why don’t you and Justin get out of here.” Brett told him.

 

“Are you guys kidding? Nothing is going to change Brian’s mother.” Michael interrupted.

 

“Is there a reason you’re still here?” Brian asked, not really wanting an answer. Instead, he walked over to Brandon.

 

Michael watched Brian walking off, getting angry at everyone for getting involved in his ‘best friend’s’ business. When Justin started to follow him, Michael wanted to say something, but for once he kept quiet, because knew he needed to convince everyone to be at the dinner he had planned.

 

“Look, I know we got off to a bad start, but it’s because we both care about Brian. Can we try to bury the hatchet?” Michael asked Justin, getting strange looks from everyone after his earlier performance.

 

“I doubt we could, unless Brian stopped wanting me.” Justin said bluntly, trying to figure out Michael’s new angle.

 

“Then I’m going to ask for my mother, who wants us all to get along. So could you at least do that for the woman who gave Brian a mother better than the one you're actually helping?” Michael asked him, while ignoring Carl, who stopped to hear what Michael was saying.

 

“So far your mother hasn’t had a problem with us.” Justin answered.

 

“Jesus. Look, the gang has a tradition of dinner with my mother every Sunday. I just wanted to make sure the guys don’t bail on her, the way they have on me. For once, can everyone stop being selfish and think about her?” Michael said, looking at Brian when he walked back with Brandon in tow.

 

“I thought we could take Brandon to lunch.” Brian said to Justin.

 

“What about Sunday? I wanted to make sure Ma knows who can be there.” Michael asked, when they started walking off. 

 

“Since Deb will likely call all of us, there’s no need to worry about it.” Ted answered for all of them, following Blake to Carl’s office.

 

Michael started after Brian, intent on inviting himself on their lunch date, only to have Carl stop him.

 

“Your mother better not be sorry she agreed to this dinner, son.” Carl warned him.

 

“Right now she should be sorry she’s desperate enough to keep you around.” Michael told him, stomping off.

 

Brian thought about dinner with Deb, and even though Michael was likely using this for some other reason, it would be a good time to get Drew into the mix. He’d been trying to figure out a way to get Emmett and Drew in the same place. He thought about the club, but it had too many avenues for Emmett to escape from dealing with Drew. 

 

After dealing with Joan, seeing Deb would remind him again that all mothers weren’t his. Justin’s mother was too new in Brian’s life, and in a way he didn’t want to take that from Brandon. They both needed someone of their own. Not that Brian didn’t eventually plan to include her in his life. He just didn't want to explain his past to her while his relationship with Justin was so new.

 

“Why did you change her mind?” Brian asked as they all got in the car.

 

“I guess because even though you don’t see it changing anything for either of you, you still wanted her to get better. I could tell that even though you sat there like you didn’t care what she did, you do care. I didn’t do for any other reason but for you.” Justin told him.

 

“I’m still amazed she agreed.” Brandon added.

 

“She agreed because she really doesn’t believe she has a problem. I might not know her that well but it wasn’t hard to get a read on her. She needs to feel like she’s right and wants to be able to hold it over Brian’s head.” Justin told them.

 

“Like the way she held her religion over my head all her life, making sure to remind me that all I’ve ever done was disappoint her.” Brian commented.

 

“Only because you weren’t willing to pretend everything was perfect with the Kinneys.” Brandon told him.

 

“And you’re the reason too.” Brian joked.

 

“God, don’t I know. She spent the whole night telling the hospital staff that my mother lured Jack to sin and I was the result of all their sinning. Man, I really didn’t need a reminder that my mother and Jack did the deed.” Brandon said, wrinkling his nose.

 

“Really, you two joke about this?” Justin asked.

 

“We don’t let it mean anything to us. St Joan can pretend all she wants, but Jack only married her because he didn’t have a choice when she got knocked up with Claire. She can try to paint the picture that they were a loving couple and Jack was lured away, but Brandon’s mother wasn’t the first, or the last. Just the one who ended up with another kid that Jack shit all over.” Brian told Justin.

 

“At least we hope I’m the only other one.” Brandon told Brian.

 

“After you he went in to fix the problem. Not that he said it was why he did it. Instead he told Joan he didn’t need any more reasons for her to add to his time in prison with her.” Brian told him.

 

“He should have worn a condom.” Brandon mentioned.

 

“Yep, but I’m glad he didn’t, since I have you.” Brian said in a voice that was sickeningly sweet.

 

“Aww, you love me, big bro.” Brandon replied in kind.

 

“Okay children, can we change the subject?” Justin asked.

 

“What do you want to talk about?” Brian asked.

 

“Why would Michael want all of you to have dinner at his mother’s house? I don’t get it.” Justin asked them.

 

“He wants Brian, Emmett, and Ted there, since until you and Brian started seeing each other Michael still had his minions.” Brandon pointed out.

 

“Fuck you.” Brian told him.

 

“I get that part. It’s just, why bother to guilt me, when he’d rather pretend I don’t exist?” Justin asked them.

 

Brandon let them know his theory. “Because even if Michael doesn’t want to believe it, Brian wouldn’t show unless you agreed to it. He likely thinks he can make you look bad, but he has to get you and Brian around him to see it.” 

 

“By what, starting a fight with me?” Justin asked.

 

“That wouldn’t get him anywhere.” Brian assured Justin.

 

“It’s worked in the past. And Michael isn’t anything if not predictable. He uses what worked in the past, not even willing to believe it won’t always lead to the same result. It’s like when he was seeing Dr Dave, he liked that you weren’t happy about it.” Brandon told Brian.

 

“I wasn’t happy with the way Michael was treating everyone. Dr Dave wasn’t bad as long as I didn’t have to deal with him.” Brian commented.

 

“Yeah. And when you started encouraging Michael to give him a chance, that’s when he stopped wanting him around.” Brandon told him.

 

“You think he’ll try that again? Because right now I’d gift wrap Michael for anyone who wanted him.” Justin commented to Brandon.

 

“Yeah, but when they opened the present they’d ask for the receipt to return it.” Brandon joked.

 

“Brandon.” Brian said warningly.

 

“What, you want me to pretend I give two shits for the little asshole?” Brandon asked.

 

“No. It’s just that Michael would be a nonrefundable gift to anyone who got him.” Brian smirked as they laughed.

 

“So, are we going? I sort of want to let Michael try to mess with me.” Justin asked Brian.

 

“He’s not even in your league. But hey, if he wants to mess with the guy who managed St Joan, let the games begin.” Brian told him.

 

“You know, I might be willing to crash dinner just to see it.” Brandon told Brian.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 16 by starlight

Ben thought about canceling a few times. It wasn’t like he had any obligation to go. Only, he was ready to start living again and liked the idea of meeting people outside the school. Ben knew he’d been wary of people since he seemed to constantly attract the wrong men. Hell, he wasn’t even interested in the student, he was just trying to help, and ended up with a stalker. What bothered him was the way Michael seem to be assessing him, like he was nothing but a slab of meat. Ben was used to being looked at, but he didn’t want it to be the only reason people were interested in him. It bothered him the way Michael only seemed to see the outside and not to the person Ben was. In the end he decided to stop overthinking it and go. It wasn’t like this was a date, it was just a chance to meet new people. He was at Michael’s shop, not willing to back out at the last minute over something he should be just thinking of as an excuse to get out in public.

 

When he walked in Michael was sitting with some kid, arguing about some comic. It was good natured and made Ben feel sort like an asshole for thinking something was wrong with Michael. Michael looked up and once again Ben almost offered an excuse not to go. It was because Michael looked disappointed in Ben for some reason. 

 

Michael wanted to ask Ben if he understood what club clothes were. Instead of looking like they were going clubbing Ben was dressed like he was going to dinner. Michael debated it and figured the school teacher look could work anyway. 

 

“Let me lock up and we can go.” Michael told him as the kid left.

 

“How about filling me in on the people who will be there?” Ben asked when he couldn’t think of anything else to say.

 

“My best friend Brian will be there, at least he better.” Michael mumbled.

 

“Anyone else?” Ben asked.

 

“Ma told me the guys all agreed to come, even though I wasn’t thrilled they all wanted to bring other people,” Michael told him, following him out the door.

 

“Is there some reason that’s a problem, I mean, since you’re bring me?” Ben asked.

 

“It’s just I don’t really approve of some of the people they want to bring, and no matter what I tell my Ma, she acts like I’m the one who’s wrong. She can’t seem to get it through her head that my best friend is screwing up his life by thinking some guy he barely knows means more to him than I should. We’ve been best friends all our lives and now it’s like this guy is the only thing Brian cares about. I should be just as important to him, but no, it’s all about the blond twink who won’t leave.” Michael ranted, as Ben thought about turning around and going home.

 

By the time they reached Deb’s house Michael was still going on and on about his friendship with Brian, and Ben was just happy that it wasn’t him that Michael was obsessing over. Which changed as soon they walked into the house. Michael started to cling to him in a way that he wasn’t comfortable with since he didn’t think Michael was interested in anyone but the guy Brian he went on and on about. Michael looked around, not seeing Brian but spotting the blond interloper standing at the stove with Deb. He suddenly walked off without a thought to Ben, wanting to find a way to get the blond alone and explain why he needed to stop confusing Brian. 

 

Justin was having a great time learning to make sauce from scratch and loved the stories of how Deb and her brother would experiment together and use the boys as guinea pigs. Deb enjoyed the fact that Justin was genuinely interested in her stories and didn’t mind that she was talking her head off. She’d been upset at Michael for the last couple of days after Carl told her what he had done at the station. It was hard for her to not want to march over there herself that day, but she listened to Carl and wasn’t going to get involved unless Brian wanted her to. Now she wished she’d gone just to drag her son out of there. 

 

Deb had no plans for Michael to see this dinner as her siding with him. For her, it was about having her boys and girls around. Something that had been happening less and less as the years went on. She knew when it started, it was when Gus came into their lives. Michael hadn’t been happy from the moment Lindsay announced the pregnancy. Instead, he ignored it. Deb knew for Michael it was a case of ‘ignore it until it can’t be ignored’. After Gus was born and got attention, Michael couldn’t ignore it anymore and did everything he could think of to interfere with any time Brian wanted to spend with Gus. Deb knew it got to the point where Brian would have to go MIA in order to spend time with Gus. Which was what Brian once again did when he met the cutie who was currently helping her cook.

 

She had been trying to get Michael to see what all of them had known for years. While she loved her idiot son, her other boys would not be expected to give up their lives for him anymore. Deb let that go on too long, and it led to Michael’s refusal to see the truth. With his interest in Ben, she hoped it would change something. She once again had her hopes dashed when Michael went from practically molesting Ben coming in the door, to leaving the guy alone with a room full of strangers when he didn’t see Brian. Deb had been distracted at first, wondering how Emmett would deal with seeing Drew again, but she couldn’t miss the way Michael searched the room, only to look upset that Brian wasn’t here to see his entrance. Which only led her to wonder what Michael was up to and why he wanted to make it sound like he was interested in Ben.

 

“Could you do me a favor?” Deb asked Justin.

 

“You want me to make Ben feel welcome?” Justin asked, noticing the handsome man standing unsurely with the others.

 

“If you would, and maybe we can figure out what Michael is up to this time,” Deb said, rolling her eyes.

 

“Yeah, it didn’t look like Ben was as interested as Michael wanted everyone to believe,” Emmett whispered to them.

 

Justin walked over to Ben, who was relieved not to be left standing by himself. Ben looked over Justin with interest, but not seeing it returned he let it go and was just happy to have someone introduce him to the four people sitting in the living room. Ben was a bit shocked that one of the guys was Conner James but managed not to show it. He noticed that none of them made a big deal about Conner. They treated him like he was just one of the gang. 

 

“How did you guys meet?” Ben asked, curiously.

 

“I met Justin through Brett, then Blake along with Justin, and then Ted through Blake,” Conner said, smiling at the guys.

 

“There are days I wish you and Justin never met, it would have saved me the bail money.” Brett teased.

 

“He just doesn’t understand the art of dumpster diving.” Justin said, snickering.

 

“Which I will happily live in ignorance of just to avoid the smell.” Brett told them.

 

“It’s why I agreed to be the look-out anytime they dragged me with them,” Blake told them.

 

“Okay, I’m going to ask. Why?” Ben asked, trying to picture Conner and Justin swimming in garbage and not being able to come up with any logical reason for it.

 

“My sister uses junk metal for sculptures. So we all help to keep her from running wild in her search.” Justin explained.

 

“Only now, it’s like a huge game to get things that Molly can use to make her stuff,” Conner told him.

 

“While Jen and I end up having to drag your asses out of trouble.” Brett laughed.

 

“We’ve managed to get out of it alone once in a while,” Conner said, pretending to be offended.

 

“Only because the cops don’t want the press coverage that comes with arresting you and the owners of the garbage don’t want anyone questioning why they didn’t recycle.” Blake said, giggling.

 

“Jesus. I didn’t bring Ben here for you guys to monopolize every conversation.” Michael interrupted.

 

“It’s called including him in a conversation,” Blake stated.

 

“Which we didn’t see YOU doing with your guest.” Deb chimes in.

 

Michael started to say something but stopped when Brian came in the door with the girls and Drew. Everyone was focused on Emmett as Drew came in the door, while Michael waited for Brian to notice him.

 

“I’m going to kill you Brian.” Emmett told him, taking off out the backdoor.

 

“I forgot the backdoor.” Brian joked to Ted.

 

“It’s good to see everyone.” Drew said quickly as he walked out, following Emmett.

 

“He can run, but in the end, Emmett won’t hide from his problems,” Ted told Brian.

 

Michael couldn’t believe no one was even acting like he was in the room. He got up and once again latched on to Ben, waiting for Brian to notice. Which didn’t happen since Brian was more interested in Justin. Lindsay passed Gus off to Justin before she noticed Ben standing there. 

 

“Hey, I haven’t seen you in a while.” Lindsay said to Ben, walking over while wondering what the hell he was doing with Michael.

 

“I figured it was time to get off the campus. Michael was kind enough to invite me.” Ben told her, managing to get Michael to let go of him. 

 

Brian looked over, taking his attention off Justin and Gus. It took a second for him to remember where he’d seen Ben before, and decided it would be better to act like they didn’t know each other. It wasn’t that he was worried about Justin’s reaction. Justin knew Brian had a past. Michael’s could be iffy though, and Brian didn’t want to deal with the drama. Ben remembered but didn’t see the reason to bring up a one night stand, especially since it looked like Brian was really interested in Justin. 

 

“I wanted everyone to meet Ben, and I thought we could show him around Liberty Avenue after dinner.” Michael said, looking up at Ben in adoration.

 

“I’ve been there.” Ben mentioned, trying to figure out what Michael was doing.

 

“Yeah, but not with us. People are missing having the stud out lately.” Michael said, smirking at Justin.

 

“Brandon’s been busy.” Ted joked, as Brian flicked him off.

 

“Like anyone cares about him. They can’t believe Brian hasn’t graced the backroom lately the way he usually does,” Michael told them.

 

“Why bother when Justin leaves them all in the dust.” Brian said, kissing Justin.

 

“I do feel bad for them, since I understand what they're missing,” Justin told him, as everyone hooted.

 

“Well, the boys at the diner are disappointed that Brian snapped you up first,” Deb told him.

 

“Likely they’re just waiting for Brian to throw him back.” Michael snapped.

 

“Am I missing something?” Ben asked as the room seemed to be taking on a hostile air.

 

“Is he Michael, or is the rest of us who are?” Brian asked.

 

“Can we eat yet?” Michael said, not wanting Ben to find out what he been telling everyone.

 

The door opened as Carl and Brandon came in with a few bags. Michael couldn’t believe someone invited the asshole. It further pissed him off when Deb treated Brandon like he was welcome, making Michael want to say something to get him to leave. He didn’t even notice Ben’s reaction to Brandon. Brian noticed that Ben couldn’t seem to take his eyes off of Brandon. Brandon, on the other hand, ignored Ben’s presence. Brian wondered if it was because Brandon didn’t believe in poaching, or just saw anyone interested in Michael as no one he’d be interested in. Brian figured he’d see how it played out before he tried to see if Ben could be someone good for Brandon. With that thought, he grabbed Justin’s hand and smiled when he still had his dick, since he felt like Lindsay and her ‘everyone should be in love’ idea. 

 

Justin looked at Brian, trying to figure out what he was doing. For a minute he smiled, then seemed to get confused before kissing Justin and staring at him like he’d never seen him before. 

 

“Are you okay?” Justin whispered.

 

“I just realized something I want to tell you later.” Brian told him.

 

“YOU know it’s impolite to talk only to yourselves. I brought someone over and all of you are acting like nothing is more important than yourselves.” Michael snapped.

 

Michael couldn’t believe it, not one of them acted like Ben being here with him was worth noticing. Brian wouldn’t take his eyes off the fucking blond and what the hell was his mother doing letting Brandon come to a FAMILY dinner. He wanted to scream to everyone that he should be the one everyone was talking about. He couldn’t even bitch about Emmett’s love life taking the center stage, since he’d left the house. Michael tried to calm down and take a minute to figure out how he could make all the interlopers feel how unwelcome they were in his presence and in his friends lives. Brian and Ted walked into the kitchen, wanting to check on Emmett. Michael saw an opening to make a move to prove to Brian that he was willing to accept Gus as part of his life. He started towards Justin, planning to take Gus from him. Gus was babbling away to Justin and clung tightly to the blond when Michael reached for him. Michael started to pull on Gus’ arm, only to be faced with an angry Mel.

 

“What are you doing?” Mel asked when Gus shook his head and clung to Justin.

 

“Nothing. Can’t I be interested in our Gussy?” Michael snapped.

 

“That’d be a first.” Brandon muttered, coming over.

 

“Only because of YOU! Every time I see Gus you’re there, acting like everyone wants you around.” Michael sneered.

 

“Why wouldn’t we. Since unlike you, Brandon welcomed Gus when he was born.” Lindsay said, ready to kick Michael’s ass.

 

Of course, the moment Brandon walked over Gus leaped out of Justin’s arms and into Brandon’s. Justin smiled, not even upset that Gus wanted his favorite uncle, proving Lindsay’s point. Michael scowled that once again everyone treated him like the outsider when they all should see him as the only reason Brian still bothered with them.

 

“Do you want me around, Gus?” Brandon asked, getting a sloppy kiss from Gus as a response.

 

“Unlike you Michael, Brandon comes over only wanting to spend time with Gus. Not to go on and on about me forcing Brian into having Gus,” Lindsay said, not willing to let Michael screw with Brandon.

 

“While you come over to remind us that Brian doesn’t owe us anything for tricking him into having Gus.” Mel added.

 

“He never wanted to be a father, yet because Lindsay whined and whined he ended up agreeing just to shut you up.” Michael told them.

 

“Believe what you want if it helps you sleep at night.” Mel told him.

 

“Anything but the truth. My brother did it because he wanted to and was happy to have Gus.” Brandon whispered to Justin.

 

“How about we all eat while we wait and see if Emmett and Drew come back,” Deb suggested, not wanting to see the fight that was brewing.

 

Everyone started making their way to the table. Michael made his way to his usual seat, expecting Brian to sit next to him. Instead, Deb put Ben next to him, and Brian sat with Justin on one side and Gus on the other. Michael waited for Brian to get annoyed that he and Michael were separated, only to have Brian whispering in Justin’s ear.

 

“Get a room.” Michael snapped when they didn’t seem to realize there were other people around.

 

Justin wanted to roll his eyes but he also wondered if Brian was right, that Brandon was ignoring Ben because of Michael. Ben seemed ready to bolt until Brandon came in the door. When everyone was still staring daggers at Michael, Justin decided to try to help by changing the subject. 

 

“I’m surprised we’ve never met before. I’ve shown some of my work at Carnegie,” Justin told him.

 

“I’ve seen both your sister’s and your work, but for a while I didn’t really like being around big crowds,” Ben told him.

 

“But he’s willing to suffer for my sake.” Michael said, wishing Justin would shut up.

 

“It sounded like a nice way to meet people versus the club scene. I’ve become a bit of a loner after a few problems.” Ben said, not willing to play into whatever it was Michael was doing.

 

“I thought you looked familiar.” Brandon said, finally looking over at Ben.

 

“It wasn’t the greatest way to meet, but I remember.” Ben said, smiling.

 

“Was this the student thing?” Lindsay asked.

 

“The kid just needed help. Unfortunately, he saw my willingness to listen as more than it was,” Ben told her.

 

“It has to be hard to want to be there but knowing sometimes the person takes it the wrong way or sees what you're doing in the wrong context. I know when I was teaching that sometimes students mistook my interest as more.” Lindsay told Ben.

 

“He was just lonely and saw it for more than it was. I tried to explain it to him, but in the end it got out of hand.” Ben told them.

 

“It happens a lot though, unfortunately.” Carl told them, looking at Michael.

 

Michael didn’t like the way Carl was looking at him, almost implying that he had the same problem. Carl didn’t know shit. He didn’t know that Brian spent years letting Michael know he was the only person Brian truly cared about. He didn’t know that when Brian needed someone he always showed up here, letting Michael help him. Michael wasn’t making up the fact that Brian loved him and only him. Brian had told him. While Brian never acted on it, it was only because he wasn’t ready for the relationship Michael would expect. Maybe the student didn’t take it the wrong way. Maybe Ben was the problem, the way Michael only saw Brian’s unwillingness to give in to what he and Michael could have.

 

“Or it’s because the person leads them on, making them believe they want the same things. Then acts like they never made promises, and turns their back on the person they treated like the only person they loved.” Michael ranted.

 

“Are you fucking serious? So to you it’s the victim's fault?” Mel asked incredulously.

 

“No. It’s the fault of the asshole who tells someone they love them for years, then runs off with someone who doesn’t deserve them when you’ve fucking been there for them,” Michael told everyone.

 

“I never once encouraged any of my students to think anything but that I’m their teacher and that I’m there to give them guidance,” Ben said, defending himself.

 

Michael looked around and realized no one was seeing what he was trying to say. Brian bit his lip, while Justin quietly ate, trying not to get involved in this mess Michael had dug himself into. Ted wanted to apologize for no other reason than he felt like Ben deserved one. Conner starred Michael down waiting for the next stupid thing to come out of his mouth.

 

“I’m just saying that when you include someone in every part of your life, you shouldn’t then act like you didn’t encourage them to believe you meant it,” Michael told them.

 

“No, just decide the victim deserved to be a victim of someone else, wishing for shit that was no way implied just because they were nice and being a human being. Sorry, sell that bullshit to someone who hasn’t been there.” Conner tells him.

 

“You can’t expect to have your career and not deal with the shit that comes with it.” Michael told him.

 

“Okay, I’m going to re-ask. Are you serious?” Justin asked when he couldn’t take any more.

 

“It’s really none of your business. You’re the reason Brian is hiding his real feelings. He latched onto you because with me it would be forever, not just until he gets tired of playing house like he’s doing with you. While he’s likely making you think it’s more, it never can be because Brian is one thing, he’s honest, and wouldn’t tell you what he’s told me all our lives.” Michael told Justin smugly.

 

“What’s that Michael?” Justin asked.

 

“That he loves me, always has and always will. Tell me, has he told you anything close to that?” Michael sneered.

 

“Nope. But only because that’s something Justin will hear when we’re alone, not to make a point to you or anyone else.” Brian answered.

 

“I’m sure that’s what you want HIM to believe right now.” Michael snapped at Brian.

 

“I’m sure it’s what you want to believe.” Brandon contradicted.

 

“Why the fuck are you even here? This is my family, not yours. That goes for you and you too.” Michael said, pointing at Blake and Justin. 

 

“Does that go for Drew also?” Emmett asked, coming in with Drew.

 

“Everything okay?” Ted asked Emmett, no longer interested in anything Michael had to say.

 

“Not sure yet. I’m willing to at least listen, which means we’re going to skip dinner.” Emmett told them.

 

Deb got up, wanting to make sure Emmett was okay. She put her hands on his face and made him look straight at her before whispering to him. “Don’t let your fears lose you what you can have.” 

 

“I thought it was desperation that made you decide on Carl.” Michael said, furious when she was more concerned about Emmett than him.

 

“Red, remember what I said.” Carl mentioned.

 

“Wow, do you really think that works?” Justin asked, looking at Michael.

 

“What?” Michael asked belligerently.

 

“Shitting on everyone because you don’t get your way. Does that work?” Justin asked.

 

“Fuck you. I don’t need life lessons from nothing more than a guy Brian is fucking more than once.” Michael spat.

 

“Is that the problem? That Brian is actually fucking Justin, or that he never fucked you?” Brandon asked.

 

“You know, I think maybe I should go,” Ben said, getting up and leaving before anyone could stop him.

 

“Do you see what he did, he made Ben uncomfortable.” Michael said, pointing a finger at Justin. 

 

“Actually, I’m wondering why it seems like you’re going out of your way to make everyone uncomfortable in front of your guest,” Carl told him.

 

“I’m not the one who’s sitting at the table practically eye fucking Brian, and acting like no one else is in the room,” Michael spat back.

 

“ENOUGH! Michael, I think if anyone needs to leave it’s you. I won’t have you coming into Carl’s and my house and upsetting everyone because you can’t face the truth. That Brian is never going to love you the way you want. Right now I’m not sure why anyone would want to be stuck with a self-absorbed brat. One who never gives anything but expects everyone to give him what he wants.” Deb shouted.

 

“I’ve been there for everything. I drove him home when he was too drunk to drive himself. I was there when he needed someone. So, no fat-assed blond shit is going to waltz in and get what I’ve been waiting for all my life!” Michael yelled.

 

“You’re right Michael, ‘no fat-assed blond shit is going to get what you want,” Brian told him.

 

“See!” Michael said excitedly, glaring at Justin.

 

“Justin Taylor, on the other hand, can have anything he wants,” Brian said, deciding that Michael needed to hear it from him.

 

“What does he have that I don’t?” Michael whispered with tears in his eyes.

 

“You don’t want that answer Michael.” Brian warned him.

 

“Or you really don’t want him and don’t want to say it’s me.” Michael tells him.

 

“Michael let it go.” Ted warned.

 

“No. Brian needs to admit the truth. I don’t care what any of you believe.” Michael said, staring at Brian.

 

“I don’t love you as more than the childhood friends I thought we were. I never have and never will, Mikey. I didn’t do relationships only because I hadn’t found someone I wanted to try one with, not because I wasn’t ready.” Brian told him.

 

“You're ready now? Why him?” Michael asked, needing something he could fight.

 

Brian looked at Deb, who nodded to say she understood what he needed to do. 

 

“I don’t feel like I have to be anyone but me for Justin. He doesn’t care about my reputation or act like it’s the most important thing about me. Instead, he sees the other parts of me, the parts you never could. Justin likes the father, the businessman, and the brother, not the guy who you think is more important. He gives me everything you don’t. So like I said, it could never have been you.” Brian told him, getting up holding Justin’s hand. 

 

“If you leave with him, we’re done.” Michael told him.

 

“If that’s what you really want,” Brian told him, saying good-bye to everyone and walking out the door with Justin.

 

Michael watched as everyone hugged Deb and Carl good-bye, ignoring him as they started to leave. He waited for everyone to act like it was Brian in the wrong, only to be left standing in the kitchen alone. Carl got up and helped Deb clean up, neither of them saying anything to Michael, who waited, expecting his mother to do something when his world was falling apart. When she and Carl finished cleaning up she walked over to him and led him to the door. Michael walked out, thinking she wanted privacy to console him since Carl was an asshole about Michael. Instead of following him onto the porch, she shook her head, closed the door, locked it and turned off the porch light. Deb couldn’t see the point in repeating herself when nothing got through to Michael.


Chapter 17 by starlight

 

Brian sat at his desk, not sure what to do with his day since everything was going smoothly. Without Michael constantly calling, barging in, or demanding attention, it left Brian with time to get things done. Instead of having to stay later because of dealing with Michael, he was able to get everything done and be home at a normal hour. At first Brian didn’t notice the change since he’d been off and the work waiting at the office left him running to catch up. Then when everything was done, Brian was scouting out new accounts. So he didn’t notice that Michael had been MIA for a couple of weeks after the dinner at Deb’s. It took Cynthia asking what finally got through to Michael that Kinnetik wasn’t a place for social hour.

 

“What?” Brian asked, realizing he hadn’t seen or heard from Michael.

 

“It’s just, in the last two weeks I haven’t had to explain to your ‘best friend’ you couldn’t do whatever he wanted you to. So what did you finally say that got him to stop phoning ten times a day?” Cynthia asked.

 

“That you were on the verge of kicking his ass.” Brian told her, before leaving for the night.

 

With nothing pressing, Brian packed up and decided to see if Justin wanted to go to lunch. Justin had joked that Brian was too much of distraction when he showed up at Jaybird. Apparently Brian caused excitement among the IT boys the way Daphne did. Brian smirked as he walked towards Justin’s office and heads poked out as he walked by. He found Justin sitting at his desk looking at his computer, not even noticing Brian standing at his office door. Brian finally walked over to see what had Justin completely oblivious to everything around him. 

 

“What do you think?” Justin asked, as he smelled Brian’s cologne.

 

“Tell me what it is first?” Brian asked, as he saw what looked like rooms.

 

“My mother sent me a file with all the houses she found, so far I like this one best.” Justin told him.

 

“I forgot she was looking for you.” Brian said, trying to sound as if he was happy about it.

 

Justin wasn’t sure why Brian sounded upset. It wasn’t like they hadn’t talked about the house.

 

“I told her to worry about Molly first, so it took her longer to send me listing that fit what we discussed with her. I wanted to look around where Mel and Lindsay lived first since it would be closer to Gus. She found a few, so we can look, but I really like this one and was planning on calling to see if you wanted to do a walk through.” Justin told him, then wondering if he was making assumptions about what Brian wanted. “Unless you didn’t plan on us still living together, which is fine if you don’t want to...”

 

“Let’s go see the house.” Brian told him, letting go of the idea that Justin wasn’t thinking about both of them.

 

 “If you don’t like it, Mom has a bunch of other listings we can look at.” Justin told him, grabbing his messenger bag and putting his laptop in it.

 

“What made that house you like the one you like?” Brian asked.

 

“The previous owners bought up all the land surrounding it, and only added a tennis court. They left the rest alone which would make it easy to add what we wanted to the grounds, like a playground for Gus, or a pool.” Justin told him.

 

“How far is it away from here?” Brian asked.

 

“Just twenty minutes. If we don’t like it, there’s a few in Mel and Lindsay’s area we can look at too.” Justin said, not sounding as excited about the others.

 

Brian drove to the house Justin really wanted, liking the distance from the other houses. Looking at the house he could see he and Justin growing old here surrounded by their family. Brian wasn’t even sure where that thought came from, but it didn’t make him want to run. Instead he followed Justin into the house, liking everything from the huge kitchen to the enclosed sunroom in the back. The six bedrooms were all upstairs with the master taking up the back of the house with a balcony. Justin was looking around in the master bathroom, while Brian wandered outside to see the back of the property. It was everything Brian used to dream about before he let it go. It wasn’t like Brian didn’t once dream of sharing his life, but until he met Justin he didn’t see the point in something that seemed unlikely to happen to him.

 

It’s why he kept the loft, because he never saw a reason he’d need more when he didn’t think he could fall in love. Brian might have said he didn’t believe in love but it was more that he didn’t believe he would ever find someone who was worth loving or who saw him as someone worth loving. He’d lived his life the way he had because it made it so he wouldn’t have to think about the things that were really missing from it. It didn’t matter what anyone thought, because for him it was better not to care after dealing with the life he lived with his family. He didn’t do regrets or excuses because all his life that’s all he heard from his parents. In a way he let them rule his life. Meeting Justin gave him a reason to break free of the lessons he let rule him. 

 

It was like Michael. For years Brian believed he needed Michael in his life, but the last two weeks told a different story. He hadn’t even noticed Michael was missing, or even thought to pick up the phone and listen to whatever he thought was important. He’d been busy living his life with Justin. He didn’t need Michael to fill in the empty parts anymore because Justin was filling them. Justin, who accepted everyone in Brian’s world and carved out a place without needing Brian to do anything but be there with him. 

 

“What do you think?” Justin asked, putting his arms around Brian.

 

“I think we don’t need to look anywhere else, we’ve found our home.” Brian told him, walking them back into the empty bedroom. 

 

He looked around, imagining what it would look like once they were finished. Then looking at Justin who smiled up at him. It was perfect and Brian wanted to make it more than perfect.

 

“I love you.” Brian said, looking into the blue eyes that captivated him.

 

“I know, and I love you, too.” Justin told him.

 

Brian walked over to Justin, needing to feel him. Justin didn’t waste any time helping them both to undress. Making love to Justin never got boring or tedious as Brian once thought would happen if he was with only one person. Instead, each time was like the first time for them. Brian loved that Justin was willing to try anything. And each time, Brian thought it couldn’t get any better. It wasn’t a race to finish or a competition when they were together. Instead, it was the connection they shared together. Brian knew Justin was different because he wanted to see the blond next to him each morning. He’d always thought people were crazy when they said they just knew the other person was the one they wanted to spend their lives with. Only Brian knew for him Justin was it, and he’d do everything in his power to make sure they worked.

 

Justin reached into his messenger bag and grabbed the lube and condoms, making Brian laugh that Justin came prepared. Brian took the lube spreading it out on his fingers, then spreading Justin’s ass while using his fingers to open him up. Justin closed his eyes as Brian breached him, wanting Brian’s dick, not his fingers. Only, Justin knew Brian wouldn’t do anything until he knew he was ready for him. It didn’t matter how much Justin begged, Brian wanted pleasure in Justin’s eyes, not pain. 

 

Even with all the preparation, Justin was prepared for the burn of Brian’s entry. Justin didn’t mind because he knew the burn would turn into what they both wanted. Brian’s breath caught as he bottomed out in Justin. Justin rocked up to meet Brian as he pulled out and pushed back in. The pleasure of being filled made Justin moan as Brian covered his mouth with a kiss. Brian stroked Justin when he knew he couldn’t last any longer, and as Justin came between them Brian moved faster, as he felt the tingle up and down his spine, knowing it wasn’t going to be denied any longer. Brian reared up on his knees taking Justin with him; he grabbed Justin’s waist and held on as he surged in and out of the blond then he slammed in to the root before pulling out and slamming in again. 

 

“I’ve been waiting for you my whole life.” Brian said as he stared, shuddering his release.

 

They laid on the floor, entangled in each other, in no hurry to move. Justin held on to Brian as neither man seemed to want to let go of the other. Justin didn’t see the need to question how fast they fell in love. He would just be happy he’d found the man he wanted to be with the rest of his life. Brian’s phone rang as they both started breathing normally again. Brian answered, since he planned to call Emmett anyway.

 

********************************************************************************************

 

Ted shrugged at Blake when he honestly didn’t know what to think of Emmett not talking. It was really unheard of, so he sat next to Emmett, waiting for his best friend to tell him what had him mute. Brandon walked over to sit with them at the booth as Deb looked worried at Emmett’s very silent form.

 

“He was fine until he got off the phone.” Deb told them.

 

“You think I should call Brian?” Brandon asked.

 

“Emmett, come on, whatever it is can’t be that bad.” Ted said, hoping to get Emmett to say something.

 

“He wants to marry me. No getting to know each other. Just get married and live in the big house he bought for us. So I called the voice of reason, only he didn’t do what he should have.” Emmett babbled.

 

“If you don’t want what Drew wants, then tell him no.” Blake told him.

 

“Do you want to say no?” Brandon asked when Emmett looked at Blake like he was crazy.

 

“I want to say yes, but only crazy people would do something like that. I mean, look at you and Blake, you aren’t jumping into this, and everyone can see how crazy you two are about each other. I mean you both seem to think living apart and getting to know each other will lead to a better relationship. None of us are like Brian, jumping in with both feet. Then again, Brian was never really normal compared to the rest of us. Granted, Brian and Justin just fit, so maybe we’re the idiots for wanting to take it slow.” Emmett answered.

 

“I hope when I fall for someone, I’ll follow in Brian’s footsteps. He goes for what he wants because he doesn’t let what could be get in the way.” Brandon told him.

 

“Yet you let Michael get in the way, instead of asking Ben out.” Ted pointed out.

 

“Who said I was interested in Ben?” Brandon questioned.

 

“No one. But you couldn’t take your eyes off him. Which, trust me, I get, he’s definitely worth looking at.” Blake told him, snickering when Ted glared at him.

 

“Okay, can everyone pay attention to me. I’m about to agree to Drew’s crazy idea.” Emmett told them.

 

“Then why were you sitting here mute?” Ted asked.

 

“Because Brian told me he’d throw the wedding if I helped decorate his and Justin’s soon-to-be new house. Then told me that if I love Drew then what was the point in taking it slow if it’s right. So excuse me if I’m in a little shock here, after hearing Mr ‘I don’t do commitment’ tell me to commit.” Emmett told them.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 18 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Sorry for taking forever, but life and writers block kicked my tail feathers. So I read slept and got my MOJO back. I plan to hopefully update more often and still have more stories sitting around waiting to be told. Thanks for hanging in with me.

 

Star

Brian couldn’t understand how something simple turned into a fight, but it had. It wasn’t like Brian did anything wrong. He just didn’t see the point in mortgaging their asses when he could simply take care of it as he did with everything else in his life. Justin somehow saw it as Brian not letting him do his share in the combination of their lives. Which led to a huge argument instead of the shower sex Brian had planned for the first morning in their new house. Brian didn’t get it according to Justin. But, the way Brian saw things, Justin was the one who didn’t get it.

 

“Boss?” Ted repeated for the third time since he had come in for their morning meeting.

 

“Brian?” Cynthia tried when they couldn’t get Brian to answer them.

 

“What the hell is his problem?” Brian muttered.

 

“Whose problem?” Ted asked, trying to figure out what was wrong.

 

“He acts like what I did was akin to murder.” Brian continued, completely ignoring Cynthia and Ted.

 

“Justin,” Cynthia told Ted.

 

“Okay… What did Justin get pissed about?” Ted asked carefully.

 

“I paid for the house. Why have a mortgage and pay interest if we didn’t have to. You’d think he would have been happy, but no, apparently that just pissed him off.” Brian continued.

 

“Makes sense,” Ted commented.

 

“How the fuck does that make sense to you, Theodore?” Brian asked, growling.

 

“It’s just something Blake told me. Justin prides himself on being able to take care of himself. Since you likely didn’t talk to Justin before you just went and paid cash for the house, he probably feels like you didn’t include him.” Ted told Brian.

 

“We planned to buy the house, so why would it bother him if I took care of it?” Brian asked him.

 

“You said it. WE, not you.” Ted said, hoping Brian would get where he might have gone wrong.

 

“I’ve spent my life taking care of people. Yet it’s wrong to do it for the man who means more to me than anyone else in my life.” Brian said.

 

“Justin isn’t like the other people in your life. He doesn’t want you taking care of everything. He wants you both to take care of each other.” Cynthia said since that was the way she read Justin.

 

“Which is what I did. I took care of both of us.” Brian pointed out.

 

“Without telling him what you were doing.” Ted pointed out.

 

“Fuck,” Brian said, knowing that if the situation was reversed he wouldn’t have reacted any better than Justin had.

 

Carol, Brian’s PA, came in as Brian got that he might have fucked up by not telling Justin about paying for the house.

 

“Mr Kinney, there’s a delivery for you out front,” Carol told him.

 

Brian got up, wondering why she didn’t just bring it to his office. Not seeing anything at the reception desk he looked over at Carol, who pointed outside, smiling at his confusion. Ted followed Brian out the door and turned around when he saw Justin standing outside in front of a new car.

 

“I’m sorry for the way I reacted this morning,” Justin told him.

 

“I should have talked to you before I did it.” Brian conceded.

 

“So from this moment on we talk to each other,” Justin said, holding out his hand to Brian.

 

“What’s behind you?” Brian asked, staring at the vintage Corvette.

 

“Oh, since the house was paid for I thought I’d do something frivolous. I bought you a car.” Justin smirked.

 

“Why this one?” Brian asked.

 

“Because your browsing history told me this is the one you tend to look at the most,” Justin told him.

 

“What else did my browsing history tell you?” Brian said, crowding Justin by the car.

 

“It was very educational, Mr Kinney,” Justin said leaning up to kiss Brian.

 

Brian stopped him, staring into the blue eyes that enslaved him. “Are we good?” 

 

“Conner told me to get over myself and see what you did for what it was. You wanting to have a home with me. I couldn’t see it. But that’s my fault because I’ve spent my life taking care of everyone I love. Which led me to realize that you were doing the same thing.” Justin told him.

 

“Have time for a ride?” Brian asked, not even upset that Justin gave him something he’d been denying himself.

 

“I wish I could, but Conner, Blake, and I promised to help Dean get some crap Molly found,” Justin told him.

 

“Then we have dinner with Mel and Lindsay.” Brian reminded him.

 

“And I told Brandon we’d hang out at your club with him tonight,” Justin told him, wishing they could just go home.

 

“I’ll get Lindsay to invite Ben to go with us,” Brian smirked.

 

“Smug bastard. Just because your matchmaking skills worked once with Emmett, now you plan to do the same to your brother?” Justin asked, willing to help give Brandon what he had with Brian.

 

“He deserves to see what having someone who really loves you can be like. Plus, Ben won’t judge him for living his life the way he wanted. I think that, like me, once Brandon finds the right guy, he’ll want something different.” Brian told him, leaning down to kiss Justin again. “By the way, thank you for giving me something just because you knew I wanted it.

 

**********************************************************************************

 

Normally, getting arrested meant calling Jen or Brett. But today Justin didn’t have to deal with his mother’s stare or Brett’s teasing for once again being arrested.  Instead, it was Brian and Ted laughing as they paid the bail. Which Justin wasn’t happy about since Molly swore she’d gotten permission to remove the stuff from the construction site. Only the owner hadn’t answered and the police weren’t willing to wait on a return call. Molly looked sorry but kept swearing the guy told her to take anything from the garbage they were throwing away. Molly took off, saying she’d get the guy to tell the police but Brian and Ted got there first and bailed them out. 

 

“She swore to me the guy gave her permission,” Justin told Brian.

 

“I heard the guy tell her she could take anything she needed,” Dean assured Justin.

 

Ted was standing away from them on a call and smiled when he hung up. “Hugh said he did give them permission, so we just need to wait for him to get here,” Ted told Brian.

 

“How come he answered for you?” Conner asked.

 

“He’s one of our clients,” Ted told them.

 

“I just don’t get it. Why did the police even show up?” Blake mentioned.

 

“It was an anonymous call,” Brandon told them, as he came in.

 

“How do you know?” Brian asked since Brandon was off today.

 

“I called Carl when one of the guys bragged that Conner James got arrested. I stopped by the site to see if I could help, but you guys were already gone and the crew seemed as surprised as you guys were that the police showed up. The foreman tried to tell the cops that Molly did get permission but we’ve had calls about thefts there so the police were waiting for the owner to confirm it.” Brandon told him.

 

Carl came out of his office, stopping to speak to the desk sergeant, then coming over to them.

 

“Hugh called and wanted to apologize for not straightening this out sooner. He plans to have the stuff delivered to Molly’s place and hopes that you guys aren’t upset at him.” Carl said, looking at Brian.

 

“I’ll call him after Justin gets cleaned up. Any idea who called the police?” Brian asked.

 

“Other than it sounded like a kid, no idea. How about do us all a favor and get a letter saying you have the right to remove anything, it will save us time. As much as I like you, Justin, I’d really rather not be on the wrong side of Jen or Deb.” Carl told Justin, smiling.

 

“The hens ganging up on you?” Brian teased.

 

“You wouldn’t believe what two best friends are like when they’re joined in a cause,” Carl said laughing. “Apparently the momma bears don’t like it when people mess with their babies.”

 

********************************************************************************

 

Michael sat at Babylon, planning to make sure Brian couldn’t miss that he was having fun without him. Michael had spent the last two weeks punishing Brian by ignoring him for treating him like he meant nothing to him. Not one phone call or even a visit, just so Brian would feel what life was like without Michael there. Tonight, Michael sat with a group of guys who pretty much hated Brian and told them how whipped Brian had become. He added that Justin thought he owned Brian and that Brian couldn’t do anything or go anywhere unless Justin said he could. The guy laughed at the idea the Stud was being led around by the dick by some blond twink.

 

Brian and Justin showed up looking for Brandon, with Ben behind them talking to Ted and Blake. Conner and Brett went to the bar to get drinks for everyone, and dealt with guys gushing over Conner. Emmett and Drew were dancing already, but Emmett had been given the gossip making the rounds and planned to make sure Brian heard it from him. He watched as Michael stood on the catwalk smirking, waiting for the gossip to get to Brian. He’d hoped that Michael could be happy for Brian. But then, he’d spent years hoping for Michael to grow up and being disappointed in him. So why he still tried to believe in Michael, Emmett didn’t know anymore.

 

Emmett giggled into Drew’s shoulder when the manager went over to Brian and told him what Emmett told him to say. Brian listened, rolled his eyes and pulled Justin into his arms and kissed the shit out of him, in front of everyone after glancing up and making sure Michael was watching.

 

“What?” Drew asked, just happy that Emmett was happy.

 

“Look at Michael and tell me what you see,” Emmett told him.

 

“He either looks confused or constipated ” Drew replied.

 

“Likely both, since his verbal diarrhea didn’t work to make Brian push Justin away,” Emmett told him.

 

“He needs to get a life, one that doesn’t revolve around building his castle around Brian.” Drew told him.

 

“Until Justin, there was no threat Michael couldn’t get rid of,” Emmett told him.

 

“Being in love changes what you’ll put up with,” Drew told him.

 

“Does it?” Emmett asked.

 

“For me it does. Nothing means more to me than you do. I don’t care what anyone else wants or thinks about me, now that I finally have you back.” Drew told him.

 

“Which is the same for Brian. None of this matters to him anymore; the club, being the stud, or the freedom he once said he’d never give up.” Emmett told him.

 

“It’s the same for all of them,” Drew told him, looking at the men having fun regardless of what the shithead on the catwalk tried to do. “Okay, now he looks pissed about something,” Drew said as Emmett looked up.

 

Emmett followed the glare to see Brandon sitting with Ben, not sure what Michael was upset over since Ben hadn’t shown any real interest in him.

 

“Somehow I have a feeling this is going to be Justin or Brandon’s fault,” Emmett told him as Michael glared at both Justin and Brandon.

 

Brandon was still reeling about what Mel and Lindsay had asked him. He was flattered but at the same time surprised at the request. He wanted to say yes, just because he loved his nephew, and having a child of his own was a dream he’d never allowed himself to have. Now if he wanted the dream could be a reality.

 

“What are you thinking?” Ben asked. Since he’d hoped tonight meant Brandon was interested in him.

 

“I got an offer that I want to say yes to, and it would make sense since Brian and I are brothers,” Brandon told him, liking that Ben was easy to talk to.

 

“You don’t have to tell me, but I’ll offer my opinion if you want it,” Ben told him.

 

“Lindsay and Mel want to have another child and asked me to father one with Mel. It would mean that Gus’ sibling would actually be related to him.” Brandon told him, really wanting to hear what Ben thought.

 

“Do you want a child? That’s what should be important here.” Ben told him.

 

“I love Gus, and the idea of having a part of me… it’s just something I didn’t let myself think about.” Brandon told him.

 

“It’s something I always wanted but can’t have, but for you, it’s something you can have,” Ben told him.

 

“Would you want to get involved with a guy who had a ready-made family?” Brandon asked.

 

“Would you want a guy with HIV?” Ben asked.

 

“It’s what held me back. Which sounds awful, but I won’t lie to you.” Brandon told him.

 

“So it wasn’t me agreeing to dinner with Michael?” Ben joked, trying to lighten the moment.

 

“No, because I could tell you weren’t interested in him,” Brandon told him.

 

“What do you think now?” Ben asked, hoping.

 

“I think as long as we’re careful and make sure you stay healthy that I don’t have to worry that one day you might leave me. I also think it could just as easily be me leaving you since my job isn’t the safest job in the world. It’s just, if I do this, have a kid, do you still want to give it a try?” Brandon asked.

 

“I need to confess something first,” Ben told him, not willing to let Brandon find out any other way.

 

“Tell me, but I don’t know if anything else would bother me,” Brandon told him.

 

“I slept with… well more like tricked with, your brother, once, years ago at a white party.” Ben told him.

 

“Are you in love with Brian or do you want him again?” Brandon asked.

 

“No. While he lives up to the hype, in the end, he didn’t mean anything more than the five others that weekend,” Ben told him.

 

“Good answer,” Brandon said, giving in and kissing the lips he’d wondered about.

 

Ben pulled back, wanting to ravish Brandon. “For the record, I think you’d make a great father, I hope I’m there to see it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 19 by starlight

Brian stood watching Justin, trying to understand why Lindsay insisted on having a party to celebrate that Brandon jacked off in a cup. Conner and Brett had chosen to make a hasty exit back to California when the girls started to discuss the party. While Brian wished he could have found a reason to be anywhere but here. Hell, he even contemplated visiting his mother just to avoid this new version of hell, but Blake squashed that idea, saying Joan was still unwilling to believe she had a problem. Brian was still curious about the silence coming from his sister’s camp but then was just happy that for once she was leaving him alone. Brian sighed, trying to think of reasons he agreed to come and knew it was because Justin wanted to be here. Justin meanwhile, snickered with Daphne at the over the top decorations Emmett provided. There was sperm everywhere, and even a cake shaped like an egg being attacked by sperm. All Brian could think was Brandon better expect to have to watch his progeny come out of Mel. Gus was the lucky one, getting to go to bed, where Brian would give anything to be. Granted, with Justin, a bed, counter, or any surface worked. Which led Brian to wonder what they’d do when Gus stayed with them and grounded their activities to their room.

 

Why would Brian be thinking this? Because Mel and Lindsay were planning on Brian and Justin having more visits from Gus while they enjoyed the time before they ended up with two kids instead of one. Brian was fine with more time with his Sonny Boy, and Gus loved being around Justin anyway. He looked up when Emmett was joking around with Justin and Daphne and saw Justin look confused, so he went to see what was going on.

 

“Fuck. You didn’t know,” Emmett said, looking sorry.

 

“What?” Brian asked as Emmett tried to hide behind Drew.

 

“So... you and Ben?” Justin asked.

 

“Years ago, long before we met,” Brian told Justin.

 

“Does Brandon know?” Ted whispered.

 

“Yes, I know and I don’t see why it matters,” Brandon told them, looking disappointed that Emmett didn’t keep his secret. 

 

“Why did you even bring it up?” Brian asked Emmett.

 

“We were talking about how strange it was, Justin and Blake being friends, and because of it, you both found the men you wanted to be with through them. I mean, I met Emmett because Sierra hired him, and then met you two, not realizing you guys were friends with Emmett… or something like that. Anyway, it led to how Brandon told Emmett about you and Ben.” Drew said, surprising them all when he looked at Brian, daring him to touch Emmett.

 

“Small world we live in,” Justin said, shrugging it off.

 

Brian followed Justin to make sure he was okay when he walked out of the house. He wasn’t really hiding it, but really didn’t see the point in talking about something that was pretty much a footnote in a long history of forgettable men in his life. Ben was walking up, looking happy to be here, Justin smiled at him and kept walking. Worried, Brian followed, not sure what Justin was up to, then got in the car with Justin, when he got in the passenger side.

 

“Justin, it was a long time ago…” was as far as Brian got when Justin launched himself at him.

 

Justin ran his hands down Brian’s chest, unbuttoning the shirt as he went. Then Brian’s zipper went down, and Justin’s hand rubbed up and down until Brian wanted to beg Justin to do something, anything but the slow rubbing. Justin kissed him again and down he went, covering Brian’s hard on with his warm wet mouth. Brian’s head pressed back as Justin did magical things with his tongue. Things Brian wanted to thank Justin for, working so hard to succeed at everything. Brian didn’t care that the windows were fogged or that he was moaning loud enough for anyone to hear. His brain was focused on the mouth designed to drive him absolutely crazy. Justin worked Brian with his hands and mouth. Brian ran his hands through the silky hair as Justin edged Brian to the brink, before pulling back and starting again. Brian was ready to make Justin finish, and return the favor. When he let go, Justin took all of it, then pulled off, letting Brian watch as he swallowed everything he gave him.

 

“I’m not complaining but…” Brian said, looking at Justin.

 

“It’s going to sound so bad when I say it.” Justin blushed.

 

“Trust me, whatever made you do this is worth knowing so I can repeat it again and again,” Brian told him.

 

“It’s just... the idea of you and Ben was hot, and I was sort of turned on,” Justin told him.

 

“It was, but not as hot as you are,” Brian told him.

 

“How much longer do we have to stay at this party?” Justin asked, running his hands up and down Brian still hard dick.

 

“What did you want to do Mr Taylor?” Brian asked.

 

“Make porn with you.” Justin teased, and that was all it took for Brian to start the car and take them home.

 

They got back to the house, barely closing the door before they stripped. Justin ran towards the office they shared, smiling as Brian entered, pulling off his socks.

 

“I’m sorry Mr Kinney, I forgot the file,” Justin told him, hanging his head down.

 

Brian was more than willing to play around and liked that Justin was willing to try new things. “I need a reason to keep you around if you can’t do your job,” Brian said, sounding serious.

 

“Mr Kinney, it won’t happen again. I’ll do anything you want… Anything.” Justin begged.

 

Brian pointed to the desk and Justin bent over it. Brian walked to the front of his desk, rubbing his cock over the lips that parted and watched as Justin’s tongue came out, licking the bead of precum off of it. Justin went to take Brian in his mouth only to have Brian pull away and walk around the desk, running his hand down Justin’s back down to the globes of his ass. Justin hissed as Brian lightly spanked him, then ran his hands over the area only to do it again and again. 

 

“I don’t want you to move while I get a few things,” Brian told Justin as he walked out of the room to find a box he hadn’t shown him yet.

 

When Brian returned Justin was still bent over his desk and stroking himself. Watching Justin, Brian decided no porn compared to what he had in front of him. He walked up behind Justin, putting down the lube, condoms, and the blue vibrating dildo he bought for him. Justin looked at the items, getting excited that Brian wanted to show him new things. Then he was moaning as Brian separated his ass cheeks and licked from his hole to his balls then returned his attention to Justin’s rim. Justin decided if he died at this moment his life was complete, as Brian’s tongue stabbed at his hole. Brian was determined to get every moan he could as Justin couldn’t stop the noises when what his lover was doing had his body making him wish it was Brian’s cock, not his tongue. Brian, as if reading his mind, used the lube on his fingers before putting one in stretching Justin slowly, then a second joining the first one before he removed them and grabbed the dildo and started teasing Justin with shallow thrusts. Justin started moving, trying to get more, only to have Brian thrust it all the way in before turning it on. Then pulling it out and thrusting it in as Justin squirmed to get Brian to move faster. 

 

“Turn over, it’s time I fill that mouth so you get that this is punishment for not doing your job,” Brian told him, helping Justin turn over while continuing to stimulate him with the dildo.

 

“Keep it in you,” Brian told him, coming to the other side of the desk holding his dick out for Justin to kiss. “Suck it,” Brian commanded, leaning over to take Justin’s cock in his mouth. Brian used one hand to take control of the dildo as his mouth to surround Justin’s cock. Both of them, moaned as they fucked each other’s mouth. Justin was trying to hold back, but the stimulation was too much for him, making him release into Brian’s mouth. Brian pulled the toy out and dropped it into the chair. He pulled out of Justin’s mouth, needing to feel the blond’s ass clamp around him. Justin put his heels on the desk, offering his ass, making Brian hate the time it was taking to get the condom on and get into his favorite place to be.

 

Justin shivered as Brian entered him, still feeling the effects from cumming but enjoying the prolonged feelings as Brian took him harder and faster. Justin looked into Brian’s eyes as the older man let the sensations of Justin’s channel milk him for the orgasm he was chasing. Brian's open mouth panting as he got closer and the keen cry from his lips and his hips sealing to Justin signaled the end. Only, Brian smiled and started moving again, still hard, and watching as Justin stroked himself to his second completion.

 

Brian helped Justin up. “That earned you a second chance,” Brian told him, as they both laughed and collapsed into the chair in front of the desk.

 

Michael stood outside the window, not sure what to think of the cum on the ground and the fact that he was more mesmerized by Justin than Brian. He wasn’t sure what made him stand there watching, when he had only come to see the house that should have been his. He wanted to talk to Brian, thinking that he could spin Brandon taking Ben from him. Hoping that, as in the past, Brian would do what he could to make Michael’s world better. Which would also make it so Brian would have less time to spend around Justin and possibly get him to do something to end this farce he was playing at.

 

Michael started crawling out of the shrub he hid behind when Justin and Brian ran into the house, only to get stuck when he tried to crawl away to keep from getting caught. Now he was so distracted trying to get get the branches off his shirt that he didn’t hear their door open, or notice the lights flashing in front of him.

 

Brian and Justin had dressed quickly, wanting to know why a police car was pulling into their driveway. The car stopped and two officers walked towards them, running their flashlight through the yard.

 

“Can I help you?” Brian asked when the cops hadn’t said anything and were looking towards the bushes.

 

“We got a call from one of your neighbors saying they saw someone walking around your yard. He thought at first it was one of you, but he called when you both arrived, worried since it was obvious neither of you were home when the other person was looking through your windows. He just wanted to make sure the guy wasn’t trying to case the house or attempting to rob the place,” one of the cops told them as the other kept searching.

 

“Is he still here?” Justin asked.

 

“Your neighbor said that they didn't see the guy leave but wasn’t sure.” He said, walking towards the bushes.

 

They waited while the cops searched around, only to stop at the window in front of the office. Brian watched as the cops pulled their guns out and ordered someone to come out.

 

“Someone was watching us,” Justin whispered as the man came crawling slowly out.

 

Brian’s anger grew as the guy emerged, ready to kill Michael when he recognized him. Brian walked over, waiting to hear what the fuck Michael was doing here.

 

“Are you kidding me, Michael?!” Brian growled.

 

“It's Michael?” Justin asked, not sure what to think of Michael watching them.

 

“You know him?” a cop asked.

 

“Yes. But there isn’t any reason he should be here,” Brian told him.

 

“Briiiian.” Michael whined when Brian didn’t seem to be trying to get him out of this mess.

 

“Do you want to press charges?” One of the cops asked.

 

“What do you want us to do?” The other one asked.

 

Brian looked over at Justin, who shrugged, still dealing with the fact that Michael likely watched what they’d been doing. 

 

“What do you do with peeping toms?” Brian asked, not willing to let Michael out of this.

 

“I can explain!” Michael shouted when Brian acted like he was going to let the cops put him in jail.

 

“Really? You can explain why you were here, watching Justin and me through our window, in our home, when you weren’t invited or wanted at our home?” Brian asked sarcastically.

 

“I didn’t mean… I was trying to see you… and well, it’s not my fault you two were flaunting yourselves without closing the curtains… I only came over because I needed to talk to you and show you that we shouldn’t lose our friendship because HE came along.” Michael stammered, pointing at Justin.

 

“So you showed up, sneaking around our house, than watching us when it was obvious I had no plans to talk to anyone? What were you planning to do, tap on the window, expecting me to drop everything because Mikey’s little world isn’t making him happy?” Brian asked.

 

“Yes. You’re my best friend and I’m tired of you ignoring me as if I hadn’t meant anything to you. So I came here hoping for once you’d be my best friend when I needed someone to talk to about losing the relationship I was hoping for before your brother and HE decided to take Ben’s interest away from me.” Michael said, adding tears, hoping Brian would give in and keep his ass out of trouble.

 

“Sir?” The cop asked, looking at Brian.

 

“He didn’t have permission to be here and he definitely didn’t have permission to watch what my PARTNER AND I do in the privacy of OUR home, watching at the window behind a bush that covers the entire window,” Brian said, watching as Michael was being cuffed.

 

“This is going to embarrass Ma and Carl.” Michael said as if that would stop Brian.

 

“I’m sure they’ll be embarrassed for you,” Brian said, going into the house with Justin and one of the cops following them in to take a statement.

 

“You have the right to remain silent…”

 

Brian wondered if the neighbors and everyone else in Pittsburgh could hear Michael yelling his name, as he ignored it and gave his statement to the cop, asking which neighbor it was, because he was planning to send them a gift for keeping Michael from getting away with this.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 20 by starlight

Blake hung up, completely confused at the phone call. Why in the world would Michael call him and think he would do anything to help his stupid ass. Although Blake was curious as to what the hell landed Michael’s ass at the police station. So, it was curiosity that won out and got Blake to go there without telling Ted. He wondered why Michael hadn’t called his mother or stepfather, but he figured it was a good time for him to find out if the man had anything to do with the phone call that got Conner, Justin, and himself in trouble. It had been something he’d let stay in the back of his mind, but now he had the leverage to find out. 

 

Michael was sitting at one of the desks, not acting belligerent for once. Blake walked over and sat down, still wondering what Michael did that had him looking like a child caught doing something wrong. Blake introduced himself to Officer Becker, hoping someone would tell him why Michael was here.

 

“Can I go yet?” Michael asked, not raising his usual fuss.

 

“As soon as we're done processing you.” Officer Becker told him, rolling his eyes as if Michael had asked this question at least a few times already.

 

“Thanks for coming,” Michael mumbled to Blake.

 

“We need to talk before I do anything else,” Blake told Michael before turning to the officer. “Is there somewhere we can talk alone. I want to make sure I don’t do something to help him if he deserves to be here.” 

 

“It’s nothing, Brian just blew it out of proportion.” Michael snipped.

 

“What…? Are you fucking kidding me? You want my help with something you did to Brian?” Blake said, ready to walk out.

 

“I just wanted to talk to him,” Michael mumbled.

 

“I’m sure you did, but that’s not what you did,” Becker said, shaking his head. 

 

“I’m not going to screw up my friendship with Brian and Justin, for you. Not to mention that Ted is at his wits end with you. And obviously, since you called me, whatever you did you know your mother and Carl aren’t going to bail you out of. So, why did you call me?” Blake asked, wanting to call Justin since Michael just looked down at his feet, not answering. 

 

“If you want to talk alone you can go into the conference room. I still need to finish the paperwork before he can be released.” Becker told Blake, wanting to get this over with since he didn’t relish having to tell Carl why his stepson was here but knowing he had no choice.

 

Michael followed Blake meekly. Gone was the usual sense of entitlement Michael walked with, instead, it was like he was lost. Blake didn’t have any sympathy for Michael, he just didn’t have it in him to forgive the shit he did to Ted for years. 

 

“So what the hell did you do?” Blake asked.

 

“I just wanted to talk to Brian… but he never has any time for me anymore… and it’s not like I meant to watch… But now that Brian’s with HIM, he acts like I did something wrong when he’s been fucking people in public for years and didn’t care who saw.” Michael mumbled, then said something about Justin that Blake was sure he misheard.

 

“Say that again?” Blake asked.

 

“I said… I don’t get it, I couldn’t take my eyes off of HIM.” Michael answered, looking lost in thought.

 

“Michael, you need to explain just exactly what you did, because like I said out there, I WILL NOT HURT MY FRIENDSHIP WITH JUSTIN OR RELATIONSHIP WITH TED, FOR YOU,” Blake told him, wishing he’d just hung up and left Michael to deal with this himself.

 

“So, Brian’s bitch of a mother is okay to help, but not me.” Michael sneered.

 

“I’m out of here,” Blake told him getting up, thinking there were just some people he couldn’t help.

 

“Shit… sorry, sorry. It’s just I don’t understand why Brian acted like I did something wrong. I didn’t mean to watch them going at it. It was just... I was mad that once again HE got all Brian’s attention, and I didn’t realize they were going to do that. I didn’t mean to stay there.” Michael said, making Blake stop, only because he was flabbergasted at what he was hearing and the images it was bringing up.

 

“Let me get this straight. You didn’t mean to watch them in a private moment, but yet you stayed and watched. Am I getting this right?” Blake said, hoping he was getting this wrong.

 

“I didn’t mean to,” Michael told him.

 

“So that makes it okay? Because you ‘didn’t mean to’? Michael, you’ve spent your life supposedly not meaning to do anything, yet you do it or say it anyway. Saying that you ‘didn’t mean to’ doesn’t excuse you or make it okay. Are you not getting that?” Blake asked, wondering if it would fall on deaf ears as it always had in the past.

 

“That’s rich coming from you since I’m sure you didn’t mean to almost kill Ted… Shit, sorry. I didn’t…” Michael stopped when Blake cut him off.

 

“No, I didn’t mean it. You’re right. But you know what the difference between you and me is? I can own up to the fact that I fucked up. I don’t try to sweep it under a rug as if what I did wasn’t wrong. I OWN MY SHIT. Can you say the same thing? No, you can’t. Because you think saying you ‘didn’t mean it’ somehow changes something. Grow the fuck up and don’t expect me to be the next idiot to bail you out of the bullshit you do.” Blake said, wishing he hadn’t answered the phone. But he wanted to know if Michael had fucked with Justin, so here he was. “If I’m going to even consider helping you, you have to answer me honestly and then we need to talk about what you plan to do to straighten out your life.”

 

“My life is fine,” Michael said, still in denial.

 

“I can see that,” Blake answered sarcastically. “But since we’re sitting in a police station maybe you want to rethink the direction you're going in,” Blake told him.

 

“Ask your question. I don’t want to be here all night.” Michael mumbled.

 

“Neither do I. But unless I like what you say, you might be here longer. Which doesn’t mean you can lie to me. Are you the one who caused Conner, Justin, and I to get arrested?” Blake asked.

 

“Why would I bother? Nothing he does seems to bother Brian.” Michael said, looking confused at Blake’s question.

 

“Because you like to do shitty things to people,” Blake told him.

 

“I didn’t have anything to do with it. As much as I think Brian is stupid for wanting HIM, calling the cops and having Ma and Carl crawl all over me isn’t worth it.” Michael told him.

 

“Any idea who did it?” Blake asked.

 

“Why do you think I would know?” Michael asked, rolling his eyes.

 

“Because you do shitty things when it involves Brian,” Blake said again.

 

“In this case, I didn’t. The last thing I wanted was to have to see HIM.” Michael said, blushing at the memory of Justin.

 

“Apparently you didn’t mind tonight,” Blake commented, as Michael turned a deep crimson at being caught.

 

“You know Claire is having a hissy fit over not having her mother available to deal with the two hellions she birthed, and unlike me, she would do something like that to get back at Brian and hope it would get Joan back to her beck and call,” Michael told him, just wanting to get out of the police station before Carl found out. “Can you just bail me out? I can pay you back as soon as we get out of here.” Michael said, wincing when he heard Deb screeching from outside the room.

 

“Actually, now that Deb’s here, I think it’s time we talk about what to do about turning your life around,” Blake told him.

 

“Shit. I’ll fucking leave Brian alone until he gets his head out the twink’s ass. NOW will you bail me out?” Michael begged, sounding desperate as Deb could be heard getting closer.

 

“HE DID WHAT?” Deb yelled, having just heard the rest of what happened from Carl and ready to beat her son with her bare hands.

 

“Nope. You fucked with one of my best friends, which means calling me wasn’t going to get you anything except for once having to deal with the bullshit you do,” Blake answered him, opening the door as Deb banged on it.

 

“Are you fucking kidding me, spying like some kind of pervert?” Deb screeched, loud enough for anyone within a block of the station to hear her clearly.

 

“I didn’t…” Michael started to say, stopping when Blake glared at him. “Can we do this somewhere private?” Michael mumbled to the ground.

 

“No, we can’t. It’s not like you respected anyone else’s privacy. So why should yours be respected.” Deb said, turning to see Blake there. “He called you?” Deb asked, not sure why Michael expected Blake to do anything with the way Michael had treated him in the past.

 

“Ted and Emmett didn’t answer their phones,” Blake told her.

 

“Why would they? Michael shit all over his friends and now he sees for once that they aren’t going to keep giving him a pass.” Deb said, looking at Michael in disappointment. “They spent too many years doing it because I asked them to, but that’s over now. I can’t keep making them deal with him when he doesn’t respect them for the things they did for him.”

 

Carl walked in, barely containing his anger over being called in to deal with his stepson. He’d called Brian, who wasn’t willing to drop the charges, not that Carl asked him to, or even wanted him to. He just wanted to understand exactly what officer Becker seemed reluctant to tell him about the whole situation and knew that Brian would tell him without sugar-coating the truth. 

 

“Do you understand that what you did should have, and possibly will have you registered in the sex offender registry? Did you even think about the fact that your reputation would be in tatters because you can’t get it through your tiny little mind that just because you want something doesn’t mean it’s okay that you do whatever the fuck you want?” Carl said, barely able to contain his rage. “Your mother has spent her life working her ass off to help the LGBTQ community gain the respect of  ignorant assholes who treat good women and men like they’re perverts or less than human beings, and now you go out and try to prove the bigots' point by acting as a peeping tom.” Carl roared at Michael, pissed for Deb.

 

“I just wanted to talk to Brian,” Michael whined.

 

“Really? Because what Brian found on the ground outside of his window doesn’t support your ‘talking to Brian’ theory.” Carl said, sarcastically.

 

Deb and Blake were staring at Michael, trying not to imagine anything, and failing miserably. Blake wished right now there was a way to wipe his memory of that puke-inducing idea, which he hoped was wrong, but Carl wasn’t done.

 

“Do you know how many rapists start by jacking-off while watching through windows?” Carl said, not willing to spare anyone from Michael’s bullshit. 

 

“I wouldn’t… Dammit, Carl, I’m not like that.” Michael said as Deb turned into Carl’s arms, wanting to get away from her son.

 

“It doesn’t matter what you think, what you did speaks for itself. You need help.” Carl told him, unwilling to let Deb deal with this without him.

 

“Ma, just tell Brian to drop it,” Michael begged.

 

Deb turned around and walked over to Michael, not raising her hand to slap sense into him since it didn’t work anyway. Instead, she stood nose to nose with him, making him look her in the eye before she spoke.

 

“You did the one thing he spent his years trying to not be; YOU made him a VICTIM. And you think he should do what? Say it’s okay? Or think that I should tell him your abuse of his friendship is what he deserves for everything I did for him?” Deb said, not letting Michael look away from her. “The answer is NO. If he wants to see you behind bars then that’s where you're going to be. I will not let anyone help you. Do you understand me? You’ve embarrassed Carl by having to have one of his officers call him and explain what you did. And then him having to call Brian to get all the disgusting details. So no, I won’t let anyone help you, not this time. Brian has had enough of that all his life. I won’t be another person in his life to tell him that being abused is okay for him, that it’s something he deserves. I didn’t protect him when I should have, but I will this time.” Deb said, grabbing Michael’s jaw in her hand when he tried to turn away from her. “He’s been through enough, do you hear me? He’s found someone he loves and that loves him in a way he deserves, and I will not let him lose that for the person who thinks saying ‘he’s my best friend’ excuses your disgusting behavior.” 

 

Deb looked to Carl, willing to let him decide what happened to Michael. “What he did wasn’t excusable, but unfortunately there isn’t a lot we can do. We can and will charge him with trespassing, but to do any more, Brian and Justin would have to explain exactly what Michael watched while they thought they had privacy in their own home.” Carl told them, hating how vague the law was on this subject.

 

“He shouldn’t just get off,” Deb said, rolling her eyes at the measly sentence Michael would get.

 

“He won’t. Brian is going to have him banned from his home and is willing to file a temporary restraining order to keep Michael away from him and Justin.  Which I’ll make sure goes through before Michael leaves here tonight.” He told Deb. 

 

“He doesn’t need to do that. I won’t do it again ” Michael whined.

 

“Obviously, right now he doesn’t trust you, and with good reason,” Deb told him.

 

“I’m going to go. But before I do… Michael, you need to get help.” Blake told him, going out the door, only to see Ted standing there looking confused at Blake being there.

 

“Do I want to know why you're here?” Ted asked.

 

“Michael called and my curiosity got the better of me,” Blake said kissing Ted. “What are you doing here?” 

 

“The same. Michael left messages, plenty, for all of us.” Ted said as Emmett and Brandon walked to the door.

 

“I just came to keep Brandon from kicking Michael’s ass,” Emmett said, holding on to Brandon’s arm.

 

Michael looked around, trying to find something that would make everyone stop looking at him like he was some sort of pervert, because they had all been outside the door when Carl had told Deb and Blake what had happened. For the first time in his life, not one person was trying to find an excuse for him, and for Michael, it should have been a moment for growth, but as usual, he looked for a way to make himself into the victim.

 

“I just needed someone to listen to me after Brandon stole Ben from me. For once I was interested in someone and no one cared that Brandon was stealing him out from under me.” Michael said with tears in his eyes.

 

Michael waited for someone to react to his tears and turn on Brandon, but instead, they all turned and started walking away from the room.

 

Deb stopped and turned to him. “Once again, you can’t make someone love you just because you think they should. And Michael, nothing you did said you had any feelings for Ben, to any of us,” Deb said, kissing Carl before telling him she’d see him at home.

 

“Can I go?” Michael asked Carl, tired of being treated like a deviant.

 

“Sure. Right after you post your bail and sign off that you understand that Brian and Justin are off limits to you. I’m also going to ask that you don’t come by the house for a while. Your mother isn’t going to coddle you and I won’t let you try to worm your way back into her good graces. It’s time for you to find a way to deal with your own problems.” Carl told him.

 

“You don’t get to tell me what I can and can’t do when it comes to MY MOTHER and HER HOUSE,” Michael said, making sure Carl hear the emphasis at the end.

 

“But I do get to say what MY WIFE has to put up with at OUR HOUSE. Unlike before, she isn’t willing to believe the innocent act you like to use to get your way. I wish like hell the laws were different, because I’d deal with you embarrassing everyone just to see the stupid games you’ve been playing backfire on you.” Carl told him.

 

“I guess you’ll be disappointed since it didn’t,” Michael said, smirking until he saw his mother standing there.

 

“Carl, let’s go home. It’s late, you’re off today and none of this concerns us.” Deb told him, holding out her hand for him to take, appalled at seeing Michael’s treatment of the man who loved her. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 21 by starlight

 

 

 

 

Justin waited for Daphne to get to his house. With the crap going on since Brian left to work out of town, Justin just wanted to get away from Pittsburgh. He was almost afraid to open his door since the last two times what was waiting for him on the other side was the police. The first was a call saying Justin was apparently robbing the house Brian Kinney owned. The caller claimed to be a concerned neighbor. The police swarmed the yard and scared the hell out of Lindsay, Mel, and Justin, who were out in the back having lunch. The police had been saved from the wrath of all three of them when Carl came running back there after hearing about the call. Carl talked to the cops standing in the yard while Justin and Lindsay started making coffee for everyone since they were wasting their time waiting to be told to go. Mel had the deed to the house faxed over to show that Justin was one of the owners of the house. The second call came when Justin was at the loft hanging out with Emmett. The police received a noise complaint. Yet when they asked the others in the building, they all told the police there hadn't been any noise. At that point Carl wanted Justin to file a report for harassment from the anonymous caller. The only problem was the calls were made from a burner phone, so there wasn't any way to trace them. Justin and Carl listened to the calls, and Justin thought it might be one of Claire's boys, but he really hadn't talked to them enough to say for sure. Brandon told them it actually sounded like the younger son, but again, he, like Justin, hadn't really had a conversation with either of the boys. Carl called Claire asking her to bring the boys to the station, explaining why. Claire showed up alone and demanded to file a complaint against Justin and Brandon, saying they were the ones who were harassing her and her boys. Which meant backing off until Brian could be here, and that was something Justin was hoping they could avoid since he hadn't mentioned any of it when Brian called to check in with him.

 

Daphne thought he was nuts to want to deal with St Joan but wasn't willing to let Justin be abused without back up. When she asked why he needed to see Joan, Justin told her he needed to make sure Joan stuck it out. 

 

"How?" Daphne asked.

 

"I'll figure it out when I get there." He shrugged.

 

Justin figured it was a good time to check on Joan, since Blake called, ready to kill her and Claire. Claire had shown up when Joan was allowed visitors, and brought her mother a present. It might not have been funny, but there was humor in it. Apparently Claire felt her mother being there caused her discomfort, so she decided to help her mother out, she brought her a bottle of vodka. Claire seemed to forget that with Joan, if she didn't get what she wanted, then she didn't suffer in silence. She proceeded to yell at Claire for not bringing her sherry instead. Which caught the attention of the aide in the common room, who came over to get the bottle, while Joan tried to run while drinking as much as she could. When they got the bottle away, Joan made sure they knew Claire was responsible, not her. Then got angry that Claire was banned from the facility. Joan proceeded to tell the staff she wasn't an alcoholic and was only there to prove it. Blake wasn't as amused since they had to restart her rehab. Justin wasn't going to make Brian deal with this, and decided to face off with Joan again. He was surprised when Joan agreed to the visit after Blake asked. He was no longer surprised once he and Daphne got there. The police were waiting out front with Blake, making Justin start to suspect where the anonymous calls were coming from.

 

"Are you Justin Taylor?" The cop asked, not letting Blake say anything.

 

"Yes," Justin answered, ignoring him to talk to Blake. "I'm assuming some called saying I did something?" Justin asked.

 

The cop stepped in front of Blake before he could say anything. "I need to search your person and car." He demanded.

 

"Is there a reason for that?" Daphne asked when Justin was going to let him.

 

"The director of the facility received a call that Mr Taylor's visit here isn't for the reasons Mr Wyzecki is trying to make everyone believe." He said looking at Justin for his answer.

 

"Which was?" Justin asked.

 

"To deal with to patients, which as I've told you and the director is ludicrous," Blake said sarcastically.

 

"You've told us. But we need to protect the patients." The cop told him.

 

"I'll allow it, but only if after you find nothing, we can speak to the person who took the call," Justin told him.

 

"Is there a reason for that?" The cop asked.

 

"In the past month, someone anonymously likes to call and have the police at my door. It's happened three times and while it's annoying for me, and a waste of your resources. I'd like it to stop." Justin tells him.

 

"Three times? Not just the one time I know about?" Blake asked.

 

"The other two happened in the last couple of days, and you've been busy," Justin told him, knowing Brian's reaction to it wasn't going to be pleasant when he got back. "So search away," Justin told the cops holding his arms out.

 

The cop actually apologized as if he felt bad for doing it, and patted Justin down. Then he went to the car with the keys and searched every inch of it. Justin stood with Blake and Daphne watching until the cops finished and apologized for doing their job.

 

"Is Joan able to make calls to Claire and the boys?" Justin asked Blake.

 

"Yes. It's the last privilege I have yet to take away." Blake told him.

 

"Did she talk to them after she found out I was coming today?" Justin asked and Blake nodded. Dammit, he didn't want to be right, for Brian's sanity.

 

Justin didn't ask him anything more, just followed the cops into the director's office. Justin gave one of the cops Carl's number and told him to inform Carl what was going on. The director offered an apology when they went to his office, but also said he had to do what was best for his patients too. 

 

"I just need some information about the caller. I understand you have to protect your patients." Justin told him, when the guy looked nervous about doing his job.

 

"Mr Taylor has been experiencing a few issues with anonymous calls to the police lately," Blake told him.

 

"All the calls have been proven wrong, and while I appreciate the police department's diligence, having to deal with it isn't how I like to spend my days," Justin explains.

 

"How can I help?" He asks.

 

"Is the caller a male, and does he sound young?" Justin asks.

 

"Male yes, and while I can't swear to it, yes he did sound youthful." He tells Justin.

 

"Do you record your calls?" The cop asked.

 

"No. We've never really had a reason to do it. The patients' calls are monitored by the aides, but we try to allow them privacy when talking to loved ones. We do have caller ID if that would help." He tells us.

 

"The calls were coming from burner phones," Justin tells the cop.

 

The director wrote the number down for them, then excused himself since he needed to get back to work. Justin picked up the phone and called the number putting the phone on speaker, just on the hope someone would answer. No one did, but the answering machine informed him that Claire, Peter, and John weren't available, in Claire's bored voice.

 

"I really didn't want to be right," Justin told Blake.

 

"Do you know them?" The cop asked.

 

"Yes. She's my partner's sister and just filed a complaint against me for harassing her. I have a feeling she found out one of her sons was making the calls, or she's getting them to do it and doesn't want to admit it. I'm just surprised this time it was the home phone when it's been a burner till now." Justin tells him.

 

"Whoever it is, probably didn't think that calling here would trace back to him, where the public knows the police can trace a call to the location, the person probably didn't think it would be a problem with the rehab. At least this is enough that they won't avoid having to answer some questions and possibly stop the harassment you've been dealing with."  He tells Justin.

 

"Do I need to go with you?" Justin asked.

 

"I'm sure they'll call you when they need you. Enjoy your visit." The cop said, walking them out of the office. 

 

Justin, Daphne, and Blake all snorted at the idea that this visit would be enjoyable in the least. Joan was sitting alone at a table, glaring at all the others who were talking and generally enjoying their free time. Justin walked over with Daphne, and Joan looked extremely uncomfortable at Daphne being there.

 

"Do you have a problem with me?" Daphne asked, unwilling to put up with anyone having issues with her.

 

"I don't see why this young man thinks he can involve others in my business," Joan told her.

 

"I honestly couldn't care less what your problem is, but I do care about my best friend. So when I know someone is going to treat him like crap, I like to be there to support him." She told Joan.

 

Blake walked over and joined them, and while Joan didn't smile, she didn't try to get him to leave. "We need to talk about your daughter and grandsons." He informed her.

 

"You already forced them to abandon me, what now?" Joan said as if Blake had broken all ten commandments.

 

"You want to tell her?" Daphne asked Blake.

 

"She needs to know what's going to happen, even if she can't do anything about it from here. It's likely Claire will tell her and I'd rather inform her now, not after." Blake told her.

 

"Inform me about what?" Joan said, sounding weary as if nothing good ever came from her daughter.

 

"Justin's been dealing with someone calling the police, claiming things that were false. The caller was young and male, and once again today a call came. Only today it was to the director here, concerning Justin. This time claiming Justin was coming here to deal with to patients, not to visit you like you knew he would." Blake told her.

 

"His problems with the police aren't our fault," Joan told them, either acting like she didn't understand why it had anything to do with her or her daughter and grandsons or she really didn't know..

 

"The last phone call was to the director who does have caller ID. Guess what number called here?" Daphne interrupted.

 

"I'm sure I wouldn't know," Joan told her.

 

"The answering machine said that Claire, Peter, and John weren't available," Blake told her.

 

"Are you trying to accuse one of my grandsons?" Joan asked, looking offended.

 

"Did you tell them Justin would be here today?" Blake asked her.

 

"We tell each other everything," Joan told him.

 

"Do you agree with them lying to the police just to screw with Justin?" Daphne asked.

 

"I think you want to hurt me through them. And to answer her question, no, I wouldn't have condoned that behavior. Which I doubt they did anyway." Joan told Justin.

 

"We'll know soon. I only have one question." Justin told her. Joan scowled and waited for Justin to ask her. "Do you really think the Lord you pray to is blind to your faults just because you pray to him?"

 

"He knows he has a faithful servant in me," Joan said, sounding righteous.

 

"Yet you think he doesn't know what you do, even being all-knowing?" Justin asked her.

 

Joan took a breath, then seemed to be arguing with herself, before being willing to concede Justin's point. "I can't deny my habit got out of hand, and that you could have been right, not drinking when it suits me hasn't been easy." She said, looking unhappy to admit it.

 

"I can be okay with not being completely right where you're concerned, if you'll listen to Blake and do what is being asked of you. Otherwise, you can leave today and be ready to help Claire deal with whatever they might be responsible for. Your call." Justin told her.

 

"I can just go?" Joan asked, not seeming to like the idea.

 

"Why not? There's no use in making the people who want the help have to deal with you being angry because you think you're here by mistake. But understand, if you stay here, you don't get to bother Brian, you deal with me." Justin told her.

 

"Brian shouldn't get to ignore me. I'm his mother and deserve the respect that comes with it." Joan told him.

 

"When you give him a reason to do that, we can negotiate. So what will it be, be a good little girl and do what Blake tells you, or get out of here and deal with your daughter?" Justin asked, gambling.

 

"I'll work with you. But this isn't me admitting I was wrong," Joan told Justin.

 

Daphne and Justin walked out, leaving Blake to deal with it. Justin groaned when Brian texted him, asking if Justin forgot a couple of things when they talked last. Then Brandon texted, ‘sorry, but brother trumps friend'.

 

"So, blackmail. Either deal with being sober or her daughter, guess Claire is worse" Daphne said, snickering as they got in the car.

 

Chapter 22 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Sorry I let this one go so long, but I plan to get this one finished soon. Happy New Year to everyone. 

Justin sat with Brian in the conference room at the police station. He sort of, well, he couldn’t help but feel bad for the kid when Claire placed all the blame on him. Peter told them he felt like Justin was the reason everything in their lives were screwed up. He just sat there with his head hanging down, not denying or confirming anything his mother said. Justin wondered what kind of mother didn’t defend the kid with more than ‘he did it’, then saying that it should be okay since no one was really hurt by it. Both the kids made it sound like Justin lived off Brian, and pretty much was a gold digger. Justin let the comments pass, since he was waiting to see what Carl planned to do before he put his suggestion forth.


“Until HE came into Brian’s life, we could depend on my brother to help the family. I ended up losing my job because I had to come here today,” Claire told Carl.


“Now he doesn’t do anything but screw things up for us,” John added belligerently.


“Is that how you see it, Peter?” Brian asked, ignoring the other two.


“Brian, he was just acting out, can’t you just tell them to leave him alone?” Claire interrupted.


“Brian can’t do anything. What Peter did was waste our time and resources, things that could have been used to deal with real crimes. Calling 911 with false accusations is a punishable crime, and isn’t something we can overlook just because he’s a child. My problem right now is how to handle this without us having to waste even more resources that could be spent dealing with real crimes,” Carl told her.


“I only did what that dork told me and John to do to get HIM out of Uncle Brian’s life,” Peter whispered, nodding at Justin.


“Peter, shut up,” Claire said, glaring at him.


“Who told you what to do?” Justin asked.


“Peter.” Claire growled, as if warning him to shut up.


“You know, the whiny guy who was there when grandma got into trouble. The one who tells everyone he’s your best friend,” Peter told Brian.


“Michael?” Brian and Carl asked at the same time.


“Yeah. He showed up telling my mom that Justin was screwing up all our lives. He and Mom talked about ways to get rid of Justin, and how it would get Uncle Brian back to where he belongs, for both of them. Mom laughed it off, but when she took a call he told John and me everything that happened to Grandma was because of Justin, and so we should want him gone too. I believed him since Mom’s been saying the same thing since we got kicked out of the hospital Grandma’s in,” Peter told Carl.


“Did your mother know what you were doing?” Carl asked.


“I didn’t until he made the last call. I know I should have said something, but I wanted to protect my son,” Claire interrupted.


“I find it strange that ‘protecting him’ now has you here blaming him for everything,” Brian commented.


“She was worried you’d blame her, along with Michael,” John said, glaring at his mother after thinking about what Carl said.


“How did Peter get the phone?” Carl asked Claire.


“Michael gave it to me. He told me we had to keep it a secret since my mom runs her mouth about everything,” Peter told him, as Claire gasped.


“Peter, I understand wanting to protect your mother, but if she and Michael asked or told you to do something like this, they were wrong to do it, and to let you take the blame for them,” Carl told him.


“She really didn’t know until the last call. Then she yelled at Michael for putting the idea in our heads,” John told him honestly.


“Michael made it sound like he’d make sure Mom got in trouble if I didn’t take the blame for it. He said everyone would believe him since the last call came from our house,” Peter told Carl.


“Why didn’t you use the phone Michael gave you?” Justin asked.


“I gave the phone back to Michael, since what I was doing felt wrong. Then Grandma called, telling us how she wouldn’t have been where she was if Justin would have minded his own business, and my mom agreed that Uncle Brian stopped giving a crap about us. I just wanted to make everyone happy, so I called again,” Peter told them.


“What made you say Justin was a drug dealer?” Brian asked, trying not to sound as angry at Peter.


“The guy who runs the place said the only reason my mother wasn’t in handcuffs was because she didn’t bring drugs to the rehab. Grandma said Justin should have to be in prison, the way she feels she is by being there. I just wanted everyone to stop being angry all the time,” Peter told him, looking at the floor.


“What did Michael say when you told him you were going to stop?” Carl asked.


“He said it was fine, but when Uncle Brian came to his senses, not to expect anything from him for giving up,” Peter told them.


“What did he promise before you told him no?” Brian asked.


“That he’d make you see that you owe it to us to support us too, like you do with him,” John told him, pointing at Justin.


“Why didn’t you help if you believed him?” Brian asked John.


“Brian, this is getting ridiculous,” Claire interrupted.


“Do you know what I think is ridiculous? I think it’s ridiculous that we’re even here in the first place. That you also made your kids think that because Justin and I work our asses off for what we have, it’s my responsibility to take care of you and the children you decided to have,” Brian told her, as John snorted. “Something you’d like to say?” Brian asked John.


“Please, all you do is kiss people’s asses and he just plays all day,” John commented.


“Carl, what has the DA said about this?” Justin interrupted.


“He’s leaning more towards community service and a fine Claire will be responsible for paying,” Carl told him.


“I can’t afford to pay a fine. I was barely managing since my mother isn’t available to take the kids, and now I have no job. It’s why Peter got in trouble, I had to let that idiot Michael help me. So it’s really all your fault this all happened,” Claire said, glaring at Justin.


“Would the DA agree to let them do community service through Brian and me?” Justin asked, ignoring Claire.


“There’s still the fine,” Carl told him.


“Can I talk to you outside for a second,” Brian said, dragging Justin out of the room. “Why would you even suggest this?” Brian asked.


“Because those kids need to see that our lives aren’t just fun and games. They only know what they hear from Michael and Claire. They need to see the truth. I can also see that the way they see me bothers you, but we can’t change that if all they know is what their being told by Claire, Michael, and your mother. Right now they’re set to fail as they get older because their only examples are people who act like the world owes them for existing. They need to see you didn’t get where you are in life by waiting for someone else to give it to you. Whether you admit it or not you care about those kids. And they need to see the world outside of what Claire makes them believe,” Justin told him.


“By letting them work with us, you really think that would do any real good?” Brian asked, willing to see where Justin was going with this.


“I think it will make them question what they’ve been told about us, and possibly make it harder for Michael and Claire to get them into trouble when they see our lives as they really are. Hopefully it will get them to see what should be important, like education and working for what they get,” Justin told him.


“So we’re going to pay them too?” Brian asked.


“We’re going to make them work off the fine, since it will only give something else for Claire to blame you for if she has to pay it. I have a lot of things that either of the kids can do in my office, and the IT guys are always thrilled to have a new mind to corrupt,” Justin told him.


Carl came out of the room, shaking his head. “The DA isn’t happy with Claire right now, since in the end she’s responsible for what her minor child did.” 


“Tell him I’ll make sure she works off the fine, and that Justin and I are willing to make sure the kids don’t cause any more problems,” Brian told him.


“He suggested Claire have to do community service too. Unfortunately, he can’t really do anything about Michael’s part in this,” Carl told him.


“I think what Justin suggested to me could solve that problem for us,” Brian told him.


“It makes it so the kids won’t need Michael to babysit them, but it doesn’t really solve the Claire problem,” Justin told him.


“I’ll let Cynthia help me with that one, but you have to tell her. I value my balls,” Brian joked.


“Um, what am I telling Cynthia?” Justin said, looking wary.


“That she’s about to get a new slave to put through her paces. Claire thinks I owe them something, well then, I’ll give her a job that pays better while Cynthia runs her ass off. YOU get to deal with the brats,” Brian smirked, as he went back into the room.


“He really thinks the kids are worse,” Justin snorted, following Brian and Carl into the room.


“Can we go yet?” Claire asked belligerently.


“After I explain what is going to happen tomorrow,” Brian told her.


“I have to look for a new job now, to pay for this bullshit,” Claire told him.


“Justin and I decided you were right,” Brian said, pausing as Claire perked up at the idea Brian would get them out of this. “After school the kids will get taken to Justin’s office, where they are going to be working for him to pay the fines and work off their community service. You, my dear sister, will be at Kinnetik at eight AM and report to Cynthia, who will be training you for your new job. Before you get hopeful, it’s not going to be you sitting around all day complaining. There are also going to be a few things you’ll have to agree to in order to get the job. Number one is that Michael isn’t welcome around your kids, since your lapse in judgement caused us to be here in the first place. Number two is that this isn’t a free ride, and you will lose the job if you don’t work up to the standards I expect of ALL my employees. Number three is that Michael isn’t privy to anything that has to do with me or Justin or I’ll throw you out on your ass immediately and let you figure out your own life for once. When I say that, it means you can’t come to me for ANYTHING anymore,” Brian told her.


“What are we supposed to do for him?” John sneered, as if implying something.


“Right now my IT guys are working on the new Brett Keller film. So you’ll be doing whatever they need help with while they work,” Justin told him.


“You’re working on a movie?” Peter asked, trying not to sound impressed.


“It’s one part of what my company does, we also work on Ad Campaigns,” Justin told him.


“Would they teach us what they do?” John asked.


“If you’re respectful, willing to listen, and don’t get in their way. They love to show off what they do,” Justin told him.


“While I slave away,” Claire complained.


“Or, you can look for a job and solve this on your own,” Brian told her.


“Why are you doing this?” John asked, suspicious.


“Justin seems to think we should be punished alongside you,” Brian told him, getting up. “Claire, don’t be late, and understand one thing, Cynthia’s word is law in my office. She is going to expect you to work as long as she does and won’t listen to any excuses from you. I think you’ll figure out pretty fast that I didn’t fuck my way to the top the way Mikey told you I did. If you aren’t at the office at eight then I’ll assume you’ve decided to deal with your life and the DA on your own,” Brian told her, dragging Justin out behind him. “You owe me unlimited blow jobs for this,” Brian told him, once they were out of the room.


“I can start in the car,” Justin said, kissing him. 



This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1375