There's No Place Like Home by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Vacation is over and it's good to be home.

 

Story #52 in the Sunshine Files

 


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 24584 Read: 5550 Published: Dec 12, 2018 Updated: Dec 12, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 1





“What the fuck happened?” John demanded as he took a good look at the exhausted and injured men.

Brian and Justin glanced at each other and then at John and Bree.

“Pele wasn’t happy.”

Bree squirmed in her uncle’s arms until he put her down, tears brimming in her eyes. “Dada, Daddy?”

Justin squatted down to give his daughter a one-armed hug. “I’m sorry, baby girl, I can’t pick you up,” he said softly into Bree’s ear.

“John, get us out of here,” Brian said in a low tone. He managed to lean on his crutches so that he could caress the top of Bree’s head.

“I can help,” Bree said as she reached for her father’s messenger bag.

With John’s help, Justin took the bag off his good shoulder then draped it over Bree’s shoulder. They found a cart for their bags then slowly made their way out of the terminal.

“So are you guys going to tell me why we sent off two men in the picture of health and we got back two men that look like they should be in a convalescent home?” John asked with a growl. It took some time to get Brian and Justin situated in the Navigator so that they could drive back home in relative comfort. Bree sat in her booster seat in the back with her daddy while Brian stretched out in the front.

“It appears, my dear brother, that I have taken the name of the gods in vain one too many times. One in particular wasn’t very happy with us,” Brian snarked.

“Cut the shit, Brian. What truck hit you and who does Bobby have to sue?” John asked in no mood for Brian’s sarcasm.

“Did a truck hit you, Daddy?” Bree asked with her eyes open wide.

“No, baby. Uncle John was just kidding. We had a couple of accidents, that’s all,” Justin explained calmly. He was glaring daggers at the back of Brian’s head.

“Brian, I have to warn you, the family is planning a welcome home barbecue on Sunday. It’s a three day weekend. If you don’t think you’re up to it, tell me now and I’ll call to cancel,” John said.

“Justin, do you want to cancel?” Brian asked before answering.

“Do you?” Justin turned it around.

“The family plan on doing everything. They figured you’d be tired but not broken and battered,” John threw in.

“Nothing’s broken but...” Brian started.

“But we are a little battered,” Justin finished. “Bri, if the family really does do everything...”

“I know. John, we’re fine, just really tired and very happy to be home. Let the family converge, we have a day and a half to rest up for it.”

“Are you sure?” John asked.

“We’re sure,” Brian and Justin said in unison.

They settled back as John drove them home.



*****



Finally the Navigator pulled through the gate of Edna’s Treasures Lane and made its way up to the house. Bree had sat silently for the whole ride staring from one of her fathers to the other, a worried look on her face. When the car came to a stop, she waited patiently to be released from her booster seat. She could get out herself but she felt that she should stay out of the way as much as possible.

Patrick and Bobby rushed out of the house to greet them. They were about to give a big hug to Justin who was the first out of the Navigator after John. One look at the sling on his arm and they both slid to a stop a couple of feet from Justin.

“Uncle Justin, what happened?” Patrick asked in surprise taking the words right out of Bobby’s mouth.

“It’s a long story,” Justin sighed. “Can you help us with the luggage? I’ll tell you all about it when we get inside.”

“Sure,” Bobby said with a look of concern on his face. “Is it broken?”

“Dislocated,” Justin replied simply.

Bobby shook his head as he walked to the back of the Navigator to help John who was unloading suitcases.

“Uncle Bri!” Patrick gasped as Brian hobbled around the front of the Navigator on his crutches.

“It’s me, Little Red,” Brian replied trying to smile. His ankle was throbbing and all he wanted to do was sit down.

“Is it broken?” Patrick asked.

“Bad sprain,” Brian said.

“What the fuck happened to them?” Bobby asked John as they got the last of the luggage out of the SUV.

“I don’t know. They promised to explain when they got home,” John told his husband.

“They look like they’re returning from a war.”

All John could do was nod and start carrying the luggage into the house.

“Can I help you?” Patrick asked Brian.

“No, Little Red, I’m okay. I’d give you a hug but I don’t have a free arm,” Brian said as he swung along on his crutches.

“That’s okay, Uncle Bri, I’m just glad you’re all right.” He walked beside Brian towards the front door.

Justin started to follow them when he heard a pitiful “Daddy!” coming from the SUV. “Bree,” Justin said, finally remembering his daughter.

“Can I come out now?” Bree asked as Justin opened the car door.

“Of course, sweetheart,” Justin said. “I’m sorry we forgot about you. It’s hard doing everything with one arm.”

“I’ll take care of you, Daddy,” Bree volunteered as she jumped down from the high vehicle. She placed her little hand into her father’s good one.

“Thank you, sweetheart.” They started walking towards the house.

“Does it hurt?” Bree asked.

“A bit.”

“You should lay down,” Bree counseled with all her wisdom.

Justin smiled fondly at her. “I think that’s great advice.”

Bree grinned. She knew she would be able to look after her daddies.



*****



It took a while to get everything organized in Edna’s Treasures. John and Bobby volunteered to unpack the suitcases and start laundry, while Brian and Justin rested on the chaises in the sun porch. Bree and Patrick acted as nurses making sure the two men had all the pillows they needed. The two children brought them some iced tea that John had made and placed in their refrigerator. After enjoying the iced tea, Brian and Justin each let their head rest on the back of the chaise. Their eyes started to droop.

Patrick motioned to Bree, putting his finger to his lips to indicate that they should be quiet. Soon he could see that his uncles were asleep. He motioned for Bree to follow him into the kitchen.

“Do you think they’re okay?” Bree whispered as they stood near the doorway to the sun porch watching the two men.

“They look pretty beat up,” Patrick observed. “But they said they were okay.”

“I don’t know,” Bree replied with a frown.

“What don’t you know, princess?” John asked as he came out of Brian and Justin’s bedroom having finally cleared out their luggage and stowed it away.

“Are my daddies really okay?” she asked staring up at her uncle with her large violet eyes.

John squatted down so he was on the same level as Bree. “They said they were fine, so you should believe them. A sprained ankle and a dislocated shoulder will both heal. It will take a little time, but they’ll be good as new before too long.”

“Are you sure?” Bree asked.

“I’m sure,” John said hoping to transmit his confidence to Bree.

“’Kay, Unca John,” Bree agreed.

“They will be just fine,” John repeated hoping to get that message across to Bree. He pulled her into a warm hug. Bree sniffled and held onto her uncle. “You okay?” Bree nodded. “Good, then why don’t you and Patrick get ready for bed.”

“Do I hafta?” Bree asked.

“Yes, princess. You want to be good for your daddies, don’t you?”

“Yes,” Bree said grudgingly.

“Then go put on your pj’s.”

Bree stared at her uncle for a minute after he released her from the hug. She didn’t want to go to bed. She wanted to stay with her daddies. But she didn’t want to cause a fuss when her daddies needed to sleep.

“’Kay,” she said finally. She turned and trudged down the hall dejectedly.

John watched her go with a little smile playing at the corners of his mouth. He knew how much she loved her daddies, but they did need to rest.

When Bree and Patrick were ready for bed, John and Bobby decided they should wake up Brian and Justin and get them into their own bed. Sleeping on the chaises was okay for a short time, but their own bed would be better for the whole night.

“Little bro’,” John said touching Brian’s shoulder.

“Hm, yeah?” Brian asked opening his eyes.

“You and Justin should turn in,” Bobby said.

“What time is it?” Brian asked.

“Just after eight.”

“How long have I been asleep?”

“About an hour.”

“Shit, we were supposed to stay awake so that we could counteract jet lag,” Brian griped. “Why did you let me sleep?”

“Take it easy, Brian,” John said gently. “Your bodies obviously needed the sleep. I think you should get into your own beds,” he added.

“I probably won’t be able to get back to sleep,” Brian said. “I’ll be wide awake for the next six hours.”

“Stop being so negative,” John advised. “Go to bed, and if you can’t sleep then get up. You’ll sleep eventually.”

Brian shook his head still annoyed. “Wake up Justin,” he ordered as he swung his legs off the edge of the chaise.

Bobby gently touched Justin saying his name softly. Justin awoke with a start.

“You and Brian should go to bed,” Bobby said.

“Oh, okay,” Justin said sleepily.

“Do you need help getting undressed,” Bobby asked.

“We’re not complete invalids,” Brian snapped as he got up and positioned his crutches.

“Whoa, sorry, just asking,” Bobby replied holding up his hands in surrender.

“I’m just in a bad mood,” Brian griped as he started towards the house.

“Can I sleep with you, Dada?” Bree asked innocently.

“No.”

“But…”

“Bree, Dada’s grumpy,” Justin said as he followed his husband. “He needs a good night’s sleep.”

“But I could get you a drink or a blanket or somethin’,” Bree said dejectedly.

Brian kept hopping along on his one foot ignoring Bree.

“You should sleep in your own room,” Justin told her.

“I want to sleep near you and Dada,” Bree protested, a trickle of tears running down her cheek. “You’ve been gone forever and now you don’t want me…” Bree’s bottom lip quivered and more tears formed in her eyes.

“You’ll sleep better in your own bed,” Justin said as he followed Brian into their bedroom. He shrugged with his one good shoulder before closing the door behind them.

“What’s wrong with my daddies?” Bree whined. “Don’t they love me anymore?”

“Of course they do,” John said picking her up. “They’re just tired and feeling sore and grumpy. Everything will be better in the morning.”

“Promise?” Bree asked, as she allowed herself to be carried to her own bedroom.

“I hope so,” John whispered as he set her down on the edge of her bed. “Climb in,” he said.

“I hafta say my prayers,” Bree replied.

“Right, I forgot,” John said sheepishly.

Bree knelt beside her bed. “Now I lay me down to sleep,” she started with her usual prayer that her Gamma Joan had taught her. When she was done she felt compelled to add, “Dear God, please make my daddies feel better tomorrow. I missed them so much, and they don’t want me to spend time with them. I don’t like that. If you could make them happier, I would be really glad. Thank you, God. Amen.”

“Good girl,” John said kissing her cheek as she got under her covers.

“Night, Unca John.”

“Good night, princess. Do you want Beau to sleep with you?”

“No, I’m okay.”

“That’s a good girl,” John said pleased that she was being so grown up about the situation. Her fathers could take some lessons from their little girl. John walked out of her bedroom turning out the light but leaving the door open just a bit.



*****



“Emmett, I told you I’d report in when they were back,” John said into the phone.

“How are their royal highnesses?”

“Um,” John said choosing his words carefully. “They’re not feeling so great.”

“What? Why? What’s wrong?”

“Let’s just say they had a couple of mishaps while they were away.”

“So our Memorial Day barbecue is off?” Emmett asked.

“No, I didn’t say that. They said you could go ahead with it, but I think we should ask them again in the morning.”

“Why? What’s going on?”

“Nothing. They’re sleeping at the moment. They’re really worn out.”

“Must have fucked each other senseless knowing the two of them,” Emmett joked.

“Yeah, something like that,” John agreed knowing that it was Justin and Brian’s story to tell what had happened to them. John also knew that if he said they were injured the family would descend on Edna’s Treasures to help. Brian was already in a foul mood. If the family arrived en masse to look after him, there’d be the wrath of Kinney to deal with. John decided he’d just keep his mouth shut for now.

“Well, Mr. Anderson, make sure you ask them again in the morning. If the barbecue is off, we need to know immediately. Everything has been planned out. You know everyone wants to see them and hear all about their second honeymoon.”

“I know, Emmett. I’ll check with them in the morning and let you know.”

“Make sure you tell them they don’t have to do a thing.”

“They already know that.”

“Well reinforce that with them. They won’t have to lift a finger.”

“Yes, Emmett, I’ll be sure they know that,” John said patiently.

“Good,” Emmett said. “Thanks for letting me know that they’re back safe and sound,” he added cheerfully.

John was about to correct that impression, but Emmett cut the connection.

“Is he worried about the barbecue?” Bobby asked as John set the phone down.

“Yeah.”

“You didn’t tell them what Brian and Justin looked like?”

“No, I didn’t think that would be wise.”

Bobby chuckled. “Good move. The hordes would have descended on us, and there’d be no living with that guy who looks so much like you.”

John shook his head. “We’re all afraid of him, aren’t we?”

“Naw, not afraid. It’s just much easier continuing to breathe when he’s happy.”

John laughed. “You got that right.”

“I’m glad they’re back,” Bobby said wrapping his arms around John’s neck.

“Me too, I missed them.”

Bobby stood up on his toes and kissed John’s lips gently. When John’s mouth opened he took full advantage. “What do you say about making this an early night for us too?” he asked.

“I think you have excellent ideas, Mr. Morrison. I knew there was a reason I married you.”

“And you better not forget what that reason is,” Bobby teased as he started to undo all the buttons he could find on John’s clothing.



*****



Bree tossed around in her big bed. She couldn’t go to sleep. Her daddies were hurt and they didn’t want her to be with them. This was not how it was supposed to be. She kicked off her covers and laid on her back staring up at the ceiling.

After a couple of minutes she looked out the window at the stars up in the heavens. She had prayed to God. Maybe tomorrow her daddies would be better. She wanted to hug them and hold onto them. They were so mean and grumpy. But she knew it wasn’t their fault. They didn’t feel good. She knew she could be grumpy when she didn’t feel good too.

She grabbed her grey bunny and held him close. She needed to do something, but she wasn’t sure what.

“What am I going to do, bunny?” she asked in a whisper.

Bunny didn’t answer her, but her own thoughts went over the possibilities. And then suddenly she knew. She sat up in her bed kicking off the rest of the covers.

“Come on, bunny,” she said as she gathered up her pillow, her quilt and her bunny. With her arms full, Bree started down the hall.

In the sun porch Beau’s ears perked up. He could hear someone moving around. No one was supposed to be up. All his humans had gone to bed, including the ones who had been away for many days.

Beau raised his head and listened. It sounded like the little girl. He wondered where she was going. He listened, trying to figure out what she was doing.

Beau knew he had been disappointed that his humans weren’t happier to see him when they got back. But they had looked to be in not very good shape, so Beau had decided to stay in the background. He understood that he shouldn’t jump on them.

Suddenly Beau knew where Bree was going. He got up and trotted across the sun porch. He positioned himself in front of his masters’ bedroom door.

“Let me in, Beau,” Bree said as she arrived. Beau did not move. “My daddies need me,” she said. “You can come too.”

Beau tilted his head quizzically and then moved aside.

Bree opened the door and said, “Daddy, Dada,” very softly. There was no reply. “Come on, Beau,” she whispered.

Bree walked across the room and studied her fathers’ faces in the moonlight. They looked like they were sleeping okay. That was good. With a big sigh Bree dropped her quilt and pillow on the floor beside her fathers’ bed. She lay down on it pulling the quilt around her and grey bunny. Beau curled up against her and they all fell asleep immediately. Everything was better in all their worlds.

 

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 2






Justin groaned in his sleep, his arm had fallen off the pillow that Brian had propped it up on. It was now laying at an odd angle and was becoming painful. Justin’s painful moan immediately awakened Brian.

“Justin?” Brian turned to see what was wrong.

“My arm,” Justin whimpered. Brian groped for the bedside light then flipped the switch.

“I got it,” Brian softly whispered as he pushed himself up with his good foot then twisted in bed to reach Justin’s arm. Within moments, Justin’s arm was properly positioned.

“I’m sorry I woke you,” Justin murmured.

“Don’t be sorry, I’m the one who should apologize,” Brian admitted then kissed Justin’s lips. “I was an asshole to you and Bree.”

“She understood.”

“She shouldn’t have to understand. She’s a little girl and my daughter. I shouldn’t have spoken to her like that. She only wanted to help. I’ll apologize in the morning. I just hope she’ll forgive me.”

“She will. She has a big generous heart,” Justin reassured his spouse.

“Just like you.” Brian gave Justin a chaste kiss then kissed his temple. “Think you can go back to sleep?” Brian asked. Justin nodded. “Want something for the pain?” Justin shook his head. “Okay,” Brian said kissing the top of Justin’s head then he turned to shut off the light. As he turned, he noticed Beau and the lump on the floor.

“Beau?” Brian softly called out to the big dog. Beau lifted his head. “What are you...?” The lump slightly shifted. That’s when Brian realized that Beau had curled himself protectively around Bree, pillowing her and keeping her warm.

“What’s going on?” Justin asked. He couldn't see them from his side of the bed.

“Our daughter decided to keep us company and Beau decided to keep her company. They're on the floor.”

“I can’t pick her up,” Justin said sadly.

“Neither can I.”

“What are we going to do?” Justin asked. Brian remained silent for the moment weighing all options.

“Beau can help,” Brian said.

“How?”

“Watch. Beau, get Bree,” Brian said to the big dog. “Go ahead, boy, wake her up,” Brian commanded.

“Think he understands?”

“Beau is a remarkable dog. He understands.”

Beau cocked his head, looking intensely at Brian’s face. He could sense his masters’ pain and anxiety.

“Go on, boy, wake up Bree,” Brian encouraged.

Beau gently pushed away the quilt with his nose then nudged the sleeping girl. Bree mumbled a little but didn’t wake up.

“Again, Beau,” Brian urged. The dog gently nudged Bree with his nose.

“Beau?” Bree whispered sleepily. Beau moaned. “What’s wrong?” Beau pushed her toward the bed.

“Hey, Squirt,” Brian quietly called out.

“Dada?”

“Climb up here, baby girl,” Justin said.

Bree shuffled her way toward the bed, grey bunny in her hand. She scampered up onto the bed, mindful of her Dada’s leg and trying not to bounce her Daddy’s arm off the pillows. She snuggled in between her dads, yawned, mumbled ‘I love you’ then fell fast asleep. The boys kissed her sleep flushed cheeks then each other.

“I love you,” Justin whispered.

“Love you, Sunshine.”

The boys settled back into a peaceful sleep.

Beau stood up to observe his family on the bed. He sniffed at the air, sensing peace and contentment. He laid down on Bree’s quilt, satisfied that his family was okay, and went to sleep.

And that’s how John found them all the next morning.



*****



“Bobby, look at this,” John whispered after he had found the door to Brian and Justin’s bedroom open.

“What?” Bobby said as he joined his husband in the doorway. Bobby chuckled at the sight before him. “I guess the family needed to be together after their separation.”

The two men stood looking at the peaceful scene. Bree was snuggled into Justin’s good side while his bad arm was propped on a pillow. Brian’s arm lay across Bree’s tummy like he needed to have contact with her. Beau was curled up on a quilt on the floor. Beau raised his head at the intrusion.

“Come on, Beau,” John whispered. “Time to go out.”

Beau got up and shook himself then trotted out of the bedroom. His job in there was done. He headed for the sun porch to go out and do his business.

John pulled the door part way closed. “Let’s make them a huge breakfast. They’re all going to be hungry.”

“Good idea,” Bobby said, and they headed for the kitchen.



*****



“Unh,” Brian groaned as he attempted to move his leg. His foot was caught in the covers and it twisted the sprained ankle making him moan in pain.

“Dada, what’s wrong?” Bree asked hearing her father’s groan.

“My ankle is caught in the covers,” Brian said trying to decide how he could extricate it without making it hurt more.

“I’ll fix it,” Bree volunteered. She crawled to end of the bed and hopped down. She went to her Dada’s side of the bed. Carefully she started to peel the sheets back until her father’s leg was free. “There, Dada,” she said proudly.

“Thank you, Squirt, I couldn’t have done it without you.”

Bree beamed at him. It made Brian’s heart clench, knowing how impatient he had been with her the previous day.

“You’re welcome, Dada. Thank you for letting me sleep with you and Daddy. I couldn’t sleep by myself. I was worried.”

“You shouldn’t worry, sweetheart,” Justin said having woken up when Bree climbed out of the bed. “Come give me a hug.”

Bree walked around to her Daddy’s side of the bed. She stood in front of him waiting till he swung his legs over the side of the bed. When he was positioned so he wouldn’t hurt his shoulder he pulled Bree into a hug.

“You feel better today?” Bree asked as she gently returned his hug.

“Much.”

“Me too,” Brian said. “I could use a hug too.”

Happily Bree walked around the bed again. Her Dada’s open arms awaited her. She walked into them carefully watching where his bad foot was and making sure not to step on it. Her beautiful smile lit up the bedroom just the way her Daddy’s did.

“Love you, Dada.”

“Love you too, Squirt. I’m sorry I was so grumpy yesterday.”

“It’s okay, Dada. I get grumpy when I don’t feel good too.”

Brian chuckled. “Just like me.”

“She’s so much like you,” Justin said watching the make up session between his two favorite people.

Brian beamed at his husband. Brian’s smile was pretty radiant too.

“I smell bacon,” Bree said still held in her Dada’s hug. “I’m hungry.”

“Me too,” Justin agreed. “I could eat a horse.”

“No horses for you, Sunshine,” Brian said tongue in cheek.

Justin shook his head at his poor choice of words. “We need to shower and get dressed. You do the same, Bree. And then we can meet in the kitchen for one of Uncle John’s and Uncle Bobby’s famous breakfasts.”

“I’ve had their breakfasts forever since you were gone,” Bree informed them.

“I suppose you have,” Brian said realizing how long it had been since they had had a family breakfast.

“I like your breakfasts, Dada,” Bree stated.

“Me too,” Justin agreed.

“But your uncles are cooking, and we’re going to enjoy it totally,” Brian declared. “Right, troops?”

“Right, Dada.”

“Right, my big smoosh.”

“Good then let’s get cleaned up.”

Bree grabbed her grey bunny and her quilt and ran out of the room. Brian and Justin gingerly made their way to the shower where they could help each other wash under the warm water.



*****



A short time later the whole family was seated around the big table in the sun porch. John and Bobby had whipped up bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes and toast. Bree sat between her daddies looking happy and contented with her place in the world. Brian and Justin also wore calm smiles, so different from their demeanor the previous day. Everyone had stuffed their faces for the first few minutes, too hungry to talk.

“That was delicious, guys,” Justin said wiping his mouth.

“Really great,” Brian agreed.

“Very good, Unca John, Unca Bobby,” Bree decreed.

“I made the toast,” Patrick said glumly. He wanted his share of the glory for the yummy breakfast.

“You done good, my Patrick,” Bree said with a smile for her cousin and best friend.

“Thanks,” Patrick said, happy to be recognized for his part in the breakfast, especially by Bree.

“So, are you guys going to tell us what the hell happened in Hawaii that brought you home in this condition?” John asked as they sat back sipping their coffee. He pointed to the crutches and Justin’s shoulder.

“We were … kind of klutzy,” Justin volunteered.

“Klutzy?” John asked skeptically. “When have you guys ever been klutzy?”

When Brian didn’t say anything, Justin continued. “You’ll understand this, Patrick,” he said looking at his nephew.

Patrick looked back at his uncle. “Understand what, Uncle Justin?” he asked with a frown.

“I got my dislocated shoulder when I fell off a runaway horse.”

“A horse?” Patrick asked his eyes getting big.

“Yeah, we went for a ride on the estate where we were staying.”

“You stayed at an estate?” Bobby asked in surprise.

“Yeah,” Brian said, a bit of his grumpiness returning since they were being forced to talk about their injuries and the less than glamorous way they had occurred. “Aren’t we allowed to stay at an estate?”

“Whoa,” Bobby said. “You can stay wherever you want. I’m just surprised, that’s all. I thought you’d be at a luxury hotel.”

“We wanted privacy,” Brian stated.

“And did you get it?” John asked.

“Except for several trips to the ER.”

“Several?”

“It’s a long story,” Brian said with a sigh. “I’m sure you’ll hear it so many times this weekend at the barbecue that you’ll be sick of it,” Brian added.

“Speaking of the barbecue,” John said since the topic had come up. “I spoke to Emmett last night after you turned in. I told him we could cancel, but he wanted me to check with you one more time. Do you want to have the barbecue? We can make other plans,” John offered.

“We told you in the car that the barbecue was on,” Brian said testily.

“Don’t bite my head off,” John cautioned giving his brother a warning look. There was only so much he was prepared to put up with.

“I didn’t mean to,” Brian said quickly. “We said it was okay.”

“And then you both were exhausted last night. I want to make sure you haven’t changed your mind,” John explained.

Brian looked at Justin studying his husband’s eyes to see if Justin wanted to cancel the barbecue.

“Everyone will want to see us,” Justin said. “We should do it. I feel much better today than I did last night.”

“So do I,” Brian agreed.

“So we’re good?” John asked.

“Yeah.”

“Then I’ll give Emmett a call in a few minutes.

“How did you hurt your ankle, Uncle Bri?” Patrick asked.

“Tree root.”

“Huh?”

“A fucking tree root leapt up and tripped me,” Brian stated.

Patrick’s eyes almost popped out of his head, John laughed heartily, Bobby spewed the coffee he was drinking, Justin shook his head at his silly spouse and Bree started to giggle uncontrollably. Brian sat back and watched the effects of his handiwork. In spite of a sprained ankle, he hadn’t lost his touch. He was very pleased with himself.



*****



“Here,” John said to Brian as he handed him two white tablets and a glass of juice. Brian looked at the tablets then arched a brow at his brother. “Just aspirin, they’ll help with the pain and the swelling. Bobby’s going to rewrap your bandage in a few minutes.”

“What makes him an expert?”

“You mean aside from the fact we have a son who loves to play ball, ride a dirt bike through the woods like Evel Knievel and thinks he’s part monkey? Bobby’s taped up many a foot as a player and as a coach. Now quit bitchin’ and take the damn aspirin.”

“Yes, sir,” Brian said accepting the pills and the juice. John pulled up a chair and sat next to his brother who was resting on a chaise in the garden.

“‘Splain to me why you’re still snapping at us like an asshole. The only reason I haven’t broken your other leg is that you apologized to your daughter. Now, spill!”

“It’s not broken. But I sorta wish it was; it would heal faster.”

“I know but that doesn’t tell me why you still have a bug up your ass.” John waited while Brian worked up the nerve to express himself. “Brian, I love you, I’m not here to judge you but you’re obviously upset and it’s not because you’re hurting.”

“I fucked up,” Brian finally said.

“How?”

Brian then told his brother in detail about their vacation, minus the pain-free sexy bits.

“Holy fucking shit! You’re both lucky to be alive! But I still don’t understand why you think that you fucked up. You had accidents. A bunch of bad accidents, I’ll grant you, but they were just accidents. Why do you think they’re your fault?”

“Because I should have taken him home right after he got so badly sunburned! Instead I thought we could salvage the rest of the honeymoon so we stayed. I should have packed up and booked the next flight out.” Brian looked devastated. “It was all my fault. He never should have gotten on that horse, he could have been...”

John immediately went to Brian’s side to give him a comforting hug. He held onto his brother until Brian’s breathing became regular and he was ready to listen to reason.

“Brian, did Justin ask to go home early?” Brian shook his head. “He’s an adult; he’s not that young kid. Justin knows his mind and he isn’t afraid to speak up. If Justin thought for one minute it was a bad idea to stay he would have booked the return flight himself. Now, try to pull yourself together. We’re going to have a million people here tomorrow. You need to chill.”

“Is that an order from the older brother?” Brian quipped with a little touch of sarcasm.

“Yes, it is,” John replied.

“What are you two huddled about?” Bobby asked as he came out of the sun porch door. He had a new wrap for Brian’s foot in his hand. He sat in the chair that John had vacated and began to remove the old wrap. He began to gently massage Brian’s foot.

“Just trying to whip my brother into shape. How’s Justin?” Bobby had tended to Justin’s arm as well.

“He’s fine. I set him up with a bunch of small canvases. He’s painting miniatures. We also called my orthopedist. You both have an appointment Tuesday morning in Harrisburg, I’ll drive,” Bobby stated in a tone that brooked no argument.

The brothers Kinney glanced at each other and shrugged.

“He told me about the ‘mishaps’. And in spite of them all, he wants to go back,” Bobby confided. “He’d like to make it a family trip, maybe next winter just before the holidays.”

“He wants to go back?” Brian asked incredulously.

“Yes, he does. He loved the estate and Angelica and Henry. Personally, I think it’s a great idea. How does that feel?” Bobby asked Brian. He had wrapped up Brian’s ankle better than any doctor and had distracted Brian at the same time.

“It feels great!” Brian exclaimed.

“Good. You’re not ready for Babylon but at least you’ll be comfortable.”

“I think you missed your calling. Maybe you should have been a doctor like your father,” Brian observed.

“Nah, I like being a lawyer. Besides, you listen to me better than you listen to your doctor. Can I get you anything?”

“Yeah, would you mind bringing me my laptop and the camera we took to Hawaii? I want to upload the pictures and make them into a little presentation for some family entertainment,” Brian snarked.

“It’ll be my pleasure,” Bobby said as he stood up.

“I’ll help you, I know where he keeps the cable,” John said. “And I’ll bring you some more juice or would you prefer iced tea?”

“Iced tea. And guys,” Brian said. John and Bobby turned around. “Thank you.”
The boys smiled at Brian then went back into the cottage to get Brian’s computer.

“You know, you are a genius, Bobby Morrison,” John said as they passed Justin humming to himself as he painted. Justin was working on small canvases that were about the size of a sheet of paper. He had a small palette resting on a table where he could mix small daubs of paint.

“Yep!” Bobby said with a grin. John kissed his cheek just before they went upstairs to fetch Brian’s computer.



*****



The remainder of the day was quiet at the cottage. John and Bobby made lunch as the kids helped to set the table. They ate a light lunch in the porch with the sounds of the birds in the background. Brian and Justin were very grateful for the peace and quiet. It was some time after lunch when John and Bobby decided to start setting up the tables in the yard and garden. Patrick was helping his dads. Bree was happy to ‘nurse’ her fathers.

Brian, with his leg propped up on pillows, was putting the finishing touches on his presentation. Justin was surrounded by a half dozen tropical floral paintings in various stages of completion. It was slow going, painting with one hand but with Bree helping, Justin was having a good time.

“Hi! Hi! Hi!” Emmett announced loudly as he breezed through the cottage and into the porch. He took one look at Brian and Justin and their injuries and he gasped. “What the fuck happened to you two?!” Emmett demanded to know.

“Pele wasn’t happy,” Bree answered for her dads.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 3





“Oh my God, oh my God!” Emmett kept repeating. He stared at his two friends, one in a sling, the other laid out on a chaise with an injured ankle. Bree was holding a small canvas for her injured father. “Oh my God,” Emmett said again clutching at his throat.

“God isn’t going to help us,” Brian snarked.

“But, but, but…what happened?” Emmett tried to formulate a sentence. Tears had welled up in his eyes.

“It’s okay, Auntie Emm,” Bree said gently as she set down the canvas she and her father were working on. She walked over to Emmett and gently patted his arm. “My daddies are okay. It’ll be all right.”

Emmett looked down at the small nurse and drew in a big breath. “You, you two … went on your honeymoon. What the fuck did you do to each other?” he asked the two men.

“We didn’t do anything to each other,” Justin said wondering what Emmett was implying.

“I … I just can’t believe you’re injured. Does it hurt a lot?” Emmett asked Justin.

“What about me?” Brian demanded. “I’m injured too.”

“Oh, pshaw,” Emmett responded. “What’s wrong with your arm?” He redirected his attention to Justin.

“I dislocated my shoulder,” Justin explained.

“Did he have you hanging from a chandelier?” Emmett looked meaningfully at Brian who glared back at him.

“Daddy is going to be fine,” Bree piped up. She didn’t like to see her Auntie Emm upset, and her daddies had told her they were going to be all right.

“What about me?” Brian asked again. He was being totally ignored except in the blame department.

“Shush,” Emmett responded to Brian. “How did you dislocate your shoulder?” he asked Justin being very solicitous as he sat down on the edge of Justin’s chaise. He took Justin’s good hand in his while he perused the sling and Justin’s shoulder.

“I fell off a horse.”

“You were having s-e-x on a horse?” Emmett asked with his eyes wide, while spelling the word sex.

“We most certainly were not,” Brian retorted.

“No,” Justin said, “the horse bolted on me.”

“Was this before or after you had s-e-x?” Emmett asked.

“Why is Auntie Emm spelling sex, Dada?” Bree asked.

“Because he’s ignoring me,” Brian replied to his daughter.

Bree frowned. That answer didn’t make much sense.

“So, other than falling off this horse, did he have you doing other kinky things?”

“No,” Justin said confused.

“But I bet you had lots of raunchy s-e-x,” Emmett continued.

“We had enough,” Justin answered.

“More than enough,” Brian contributed with a smirk.

“And I’m sure your insatiable appetite is why this sweet thing is injured,” Emmett said as he leaned over to give Justin a careful hug.

Brian winced at Emmett’s criticism. It was a little too close to how he felt about all their mishaps in Hawaii. They were all his fault. “But I’m injured too,” he said weakly.

“I’ll take care of you, Dada,” Bree stated.

“I know you will, Squirt.”

“What’s insatiable, Dada?”

“It’s … cop-a-clated,” Brian said using Bree’s familiar word.

“Oh,” Bree said not sure what that meant in terms of her question.

“Anyway, sweetie, are you going to be able to do this barbecue tomorrow?” Emmett asked Justin.

“We’re fine with the barbecue. John says you guys have everything under control,” Justin said. “We won’t be able to help much.”

“You won’t be helping at all,” Emmett declared. “We’ll do everything. You can just lounge lazily here on your chaise and tell us all about how you hurt yourself.”

“Hey, what about me?” Brian asked. He was getting exasperated with Emmett.

“I just can’t believe that you got injured on your honeymoon,” Emmett said clutching at the neck of his shirt. He wiped a tear from his eye, completely ignoring Brian. “Does it hurt awfully?”

“It hurts sometimes. Mostly I just have to be careful not to use it or turn it the wrong way,” Justin explained.

“Ya know, my fuckin’ ankle hurts,” Brian interjected.

“I’ll get some more ice for it, Dada,” Bree said before she scampered off to the kitchen.

“It’s okay…” Brian started to tell her, but she was already gone.

“I guess I should talk to John and Bobby about what we’re going to do tomorrow,” Emmett said. “I see they’re setting up outside.”

“Yeah, they’ve been great,” Justin replied.

“We’ll miss your barbecuing tomorrow,” Emmett said, finally turning his attention to Brian.

“Well, it’s good to know that I’m useful for something,” Brian said sarcastically.

“You are the master of the grill.”

Brian scowled. “I’m a master of a lot of things.”

“Yes, and look where that got poor Justin.”

“What?” Brian demanded taken aback.

“You don’t think your ankle will be well enough by tomorrow for you to barbecue, do you?” Emmett asked as he studied Brian’s wrapped ankle.

“No, I do not think it will be well enough. It’s sprained.”

“But you can often stand on a sprain,” Emmett observed.

“It’s badly sprained,” Brian said through clenched teeth. What did you have to do around here to get some fucking sympathy? Obviously a badly sprained ankle wasn’t enough.

“Too bad,” Emmett said shaking his head.

“Here’s some ice, Dada,” Bree called as she hurried back in from the kitchen. She carefully placed the gel pack across Brian’s injured ankle.

“Thank you, Squirt,” Brian told her. “At least someone cares that I’m on death’s door.”

“You’re not going to die, are you, Dada?” Bree asked horrified by Brian’s words.

“No, Squirt, it’s just a figure of speech.” Brian quickly backtracked.

“You should be more careful with ankles and … things,” Emmett admonished Brian, before he turned and hurried out of the sun porch to go talk to John and Bobby.

Bree picked up the canvas she and her father had been working on before Emmett’s arrival. Justin added a few bits of color, but he was really watching Brian. Brian was staring at his laptop screen, but he wasn’t using any of the keys. Justin knew his husband was seething just below the surface. Emmett’s words had hurt him.

“Um, Bree, I think I’d like some more iced tea,” Justin said draining his glass. “Do you think you could carry the pitcher of iced tea from the fridge for me?”

“Sure, Daddy,” Bree replied putting the small canvas on the table beside her father.

“It may be heavy, so be very careful and go slow,” Justin admonished her.

“I can do it.”

“I know you can, sweetheart, just take your time.”

“’Kay, Daddy.” She skipped off happily to the kitchen.

“Brian,” Justin said as soon as she was gone.

“What?” Brian snapped.

“Don’t let Emmett upset you. None of this was your fault.”

“Yes it was. I should have brought us back home right after you got sunburned.”

“I didn’t want to come home. I had a great time in spite of everything.”

“How could you? Look at us.”

“I love you. I want to take Bree to Hawaii some time and stay in that same place. Angelica and Henry would be happy to have us. Maybe Gus and Ray could come, and John and Bobby and Patrick too.”

“Then you wouldn’t have to spend much time with me. Then you wouldn’t be all beat up when you came home.” Brian was as close to pouting as he allowed himself to get.

“You are incorrigible,” Justin chastised. “What happened to us was all accidental. It will never happen again.”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “Never again?” he asked skeptically.

“I can almost guarantee it. Our accidents were flukes, and they certainly weren’t anybody’s fault, especially not yours.” Brian shook his head. “I mean it, Brian.”

“Okay,” Brian gave in, but Justin could see that he wasn’t convinced.

Bree came through the doorway from the house carrying the big plastic pitcher of iced tea. “See, Daddy, I can do it,” she announced.

“Yes you can,” Justin agreed taking the pitcher from her with his good arm. He filled his glass and Brian’s too. “Can you carry it back?”

“Yep,” Bree said confidently.

Emmett chose that moment to come back into the sun porch from talking to Bobby and John. “Bobby tells me that you do have rather a bad sprain, Mr. Kinney, and that you got it by tripping over a tree root.”

“I’d rather have gotten it from sky diving,” Brian said sarcastically. “Or not at all!”

“I’m sorry I was so hard on you,” Emmett apologized.

“Sorry’s bullshit.”

“Well, you may think so,” Emmett replied, “but I do apologize. We have worked everything out, so there will be no need for you to barbecue, even though we will miss your grilling expertise.”

“Is that a fact?” Brian asked not prepared to be gracious just yet.

“Most definitely. I’m going home right now to whip up a big batch of popovers specially for you.”

“Are you now?” Brian asked raising an eyebrow, but his face softened.

“You need to rest and get better,” Emmett said approaching Brian and holding out his arms for a hug.

“I intend to, Honeycutt,” Brian replied.

“And don’t call me Honeycutt.”

Brian smiled as Emmett gave him a quick hug, and then hurried off to make the popovers.



*****



Emmett, knowing that no one would be eating ‘light’ at the barbecue, decided to take charge of dinner. He whipped up several types of salads that were filling but not overly heavy. Even though he had made peace with Brian, Emmett knew Brian was still upset regarding Emmett’s accusations. Just after dinner Brian excused himself, and tucking his crutches under his arms, he limped out of the house.

“Okay, what really happened in Hawaii?” Emmett demanded of Justin as the adults sat in the kitchen sipping coffee. Richie had taken the kids outside to play.

“Babe, let it go,” Drew warned.

“I need to know,” Emmett replied as he stood with his hands on his hips looking at Justin. Justin took a deep breath then began to explain about the worst of it.

“Emm, he saved me.”

“What do you mean?” Emmett asked as he sat on a stool.

“After all the stuff that happened to us we decided to stay on the grounds of the estate for the last few days of our vacation. We figured it was the safest thing.”

“And?”

“When I realized there were stables on the grounds, I suggested we go riding. Brian said no but I insisted. My horse was an old mare, we all thought she was safe and she was until I twisted around in my saddle to, to...”

“What, honey,” Emmett encouraged Justin to go on. The boys were listening intently.

“To smile at Brian, he just said something to me that was so sweet and loving that I...anyway, the horse bolted and I lost control. She headed back to the barn at full gallop.”

The boys gasped.

“Justin, were the doors open?” John asked. Living with horses for most of his life, he got the whole picture before anyone else did.

“No, they weren’t. I was just trying to stay in the saddle, holding onto the, the...”

“The horn?” John supplied.

“Yeah. Brian was just behind me and he saw that the doors were closed but the horse wasn’t stopping. He told me to jump.”

“Why? I don’t understand,” Emmett wasn’t very experienced when it came to horses.

Drew understood. “Babe, he means that if the horse crashed through the barn doors, Justin would have probably slammed into the wall above the doors,” Drew explained gently.

“Oh my God!”

“I jumped off, kinda rolled off and landed on the sandy ground. I think I was protecting my head with my arms when I landed on my shoulder.”

“Oh honey,” Emmett said as he jumped down from the stool to sit by Justin.

“But that’s not the worst of it,” Justin mumbled.

“What do you mean, baby?”

“We, I almost lost him,” Justin said holding back a cry.

“How?”

“He got caught in a riptide. Emmett, he was all alone. I got sunburned the day before and he insisted that I rest in the shade by the pool. He went for a walk on the beach and went swimming. He got caught in a riptide and nearly drowned.”

The boys gasped at the significance.

“If he didn’t fight to get out of the water he would have...” Justin couldn’t finish the sentence.

“But he did fight and he made it out,” John said.

“Yeah, he did but they don’t have sand on their beach. It’s all pumice, his skin was shredded,” Justin explained. “He was hurting worse than me for days.”

“Poor baby,” Emmett said sincerely. “And his ankle?”

“He really did trip over a tree root, a very big root. The doctor said it would have been better if he had broken his leg instead.”

“But how can a sprain be worse than a break?”

“I’ve seen it happen all the time,” Drew said. Bobby nodded in agreement.

“A clean break will heal in about six weeks and you’ll be good as new. It takes longer for the muscles and tendons to repair themselves. He’ll be on crutches for most of the summer and probably need a cane for weeks after that. He’ll be a bitch to live with,” Bobby teased trying to lighten up the moment.

“An injury like that would knock a player out for the season,” Drew stated.

“And I accused him of...some friend I am,” Emmett said. Emmett got up from his seat, filled a thermos with coffee then doctored it up the way Brian liked it. He then grabbed a basket from the shelf over the sink and filled it with popovers and fruit.

“Please excuse me,” he announced to the boys then marched out of the cottage.

He found Brian perched on the large rock near the stream. The stream was still swollen with the winter melt.

“I come bearing gifts,” Emm said with a toothy grin holding the basket in one hand and waving the thermos in the other. “May I sit?”

“It’s a free country,” Brian quipped.

“Ah, but this is your kingdom, my liege,” Emmett made a bow. “I am only your lowly subject.”

Brian arched his brow, shifted over on the rock then made a royal wave with his hand.

“Thank you, sire,” Emmett said as he scrambled onto the rock. “May I tempt you with coffee and some treats?” Emmett opened the thermos and poured some coffee into the cup. Brian took the offering, savoring the rich aroma.

“Thanks,” Brian said in between sips.

“You’re very welcome.”

They sat in silence for some time.

“Does it hurt a lot?”

“I’ll live.”

“Brian, Justin told me about the horse and the beach. I’m really sorry that I accused you of, well you know.”

“Yeah.”

Emmett could see a multitude of emotions run across Brian’s stoic face. It was easy to spot after all these years.

“Brian, if the barbecue is too much, I can cancel it.”

“No, I think I need for things to be normal. Normal for us. Having the family trampling my garden is normal.”

“We don’t trample but I know what you mean. Was it all awful?”

“The vacation? Not all of it. There were some very pleasant moments,” Brian said giving Emmett a waggle of his eyebrows.

“That goes without saying. More?” Emmett held up the thermos. Brian nodded so Emm topped off his cup.

“Thanks. What’s in the basket?”

“Popovers and some fruit. You didn’t eat much at dinner.” Brian shrugged then took a popover. The buttery muffin practically melted in his mouth. “Brian, I...”

“Emmett, shut up! You’re forgiven.”

“But what I said to you was inexcusable.”

“Yeah, well, I’ve been known to jump to the wrong conclusions on occasion. We’re good.”

Brian reached into the basket to take out a bunch of cherries. He began to pop one after the other into his mouth then spit out the pit towards the stream. A few went sailing into the middle of the rapidly running water.

“Huh,” Emmett mumbled as he took out his own bunch of cherries. Soon the two men were competing to see who could spit the pit the farthest.

“Careful you don’t choke, Honeycutt. I’m not adding the Heimlich to my rescue skills.”
The boys laughed then Brian got serious. “I could have lost him,” Brian whispered. Emmett shimmied closer to his friend. “If he didn’t get off that horse, he would have slammed into the stable. I can’t live without him,” Brian murmured. Emmett wrapped his arms around his friend and waited in silence until the storm passed.

“So is the whole world descending onto my lane tomorrow?” Brian asked after a while. Emmett moved out of Brian’s personal space knowing that the moment was over and big bad Brian was back.

“Most of it.”

“Shit. That means Debbie will take one look at her Sunshine and start screaming like a banshee. Michael will have his nose out of joint thinking that Justin was trying to bump me off for my insurance. And Jennifer will glare at me all afternoon. Please don’t tell me that Craig is coming.”

“Not that I know of, but we did invite him and Susan.”

“Great. Just put another nail in my coffin.”

“Do you want me to warn them?” Emmett offered.

“No, that’ll just make them all jump in their cars tonight. I need the quiet for one more night. As it is, none of them will leave tomorrow.”

“Then we’ll just have to make the best of it and change all the sheets on every spare bed in the lane,” Emmett said with a shrug. “They will bombard you with questions.”

“I know. And I’ve prepared a little entertainment for them. This way I won’t have to repeat myself a hundred times.”

“Very good, Mr. Kinney. And what sort of entertainment is it?” Emmett asked with a knowing smile.

“One worthy of Mikey and his not so dear, old Dr. Dave.”

“Oooooo, I like it already. Just say the word and I’ll be happy to help.”

“Thanks, I have it under control.”

“Nevertheless, your loyal subject is here to do your bidding. Just command me.”

“Right now, my only command is to get me off this fucking rock!”

“Immediately, your majesty.” Emmett hopped down from the rock, put the thermos back into the basket then helped Brian down. Handing the crutches to his friend, they slowly made their way back to the cottage.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 4





Brian swung along on his crutches heading to the kitchen and the smell of coffee. He had spent a for shit night, tossing and trying not to turn so that he didn’t cause more pain in his ankle. And then when he did fall asleep, he dreamt of Justin falling off that horse.

Justin was gone when Brian had awakened. Brian figured Justin had left him alone to see if he could get some sleep when he had all the bed to himself. That must have worked because it was much later than Brian would normally get up. He hoped there was lots of strong coffee, and no conversation, when he finally got to the kitchen.

“What the fuck is this? A hen party?” Brian asked sarcastically when he saw the kitchen full of people. That was not what he had been looking for.

“Did you get some sleep?” Justin asked giving Brian a peck on the cheek. John handed his brother a mug of coffee.

“A bit, but you should have got me up when you got up.”

“You were restless all night, so I thought I’d let you sleep.”

“Thanks, I guess,” Brian replied taking a sip of the coffee. That helped a bit.

“Sit down, sire,” Emmett said continuing his royal treatment from the previous day.

“Have you all eaten?” Brian asked.

“No, we just managed to get everything cooked. You will join us for brunch?” Emmett asked.

“Sun porch?” Brian asked, meaning that he didn’t want to sit down twice. Getting up and down was hard enough doing it once.

“I’ll carry your coffee, Dada,” Bree volunteered reaching up for Brian’s mug.

“Thanks, Squirt,” Brian said handing her the cup. “Did you sleep good?”

“Yep, I like having everybody here,” Bree said as she trailed along with her father, carefully carrying his mug of coffee.

“Not everybody’s here yet,” Brian observed, inwardly shuddering at the masses of people who were yet to appear.

“I wish my Gus was here,” Bree added with a sigh.

“You know Gus is spending this holiday with Ray in New York.”

“I know but I still want my Gus here.”

“Cloning hasn’t developed to that stage,” Brian replied enigmatically.

“Huh?”

“It’s okay, Squirt,” Brian continued, his voice softening. “Gus will spend plenty of time with us this summer.”

“You promise?”

“I promise,” Brian said as he got himself situated at the big table in the sun porch.

Bree handed him his mug of coffee, and then she climbed onto the chair next to him and studied her Dada’s face. “I love you, Dada.”

“Love you too, Squirt.”

“Can you do gar-gar with me?”

Brian frowned. He hadn’t thought about what shape his gardens must be in with him being away. His beautiful gardens were going to go to wrack and ruin. There was no way that Brian could garden on crutches.

“What’s wrong?” Justin asked as he joined them at the table. He saw the storm clouds on Brian’s face.

The rest of the kitchen gang paraded into the sun porch carrying heaping bowls of eggs and platters of bacon, plus toast, juice and coffee.

“Bree just reminded me that there will be no one to take care of the gardens until my ankle’s better,” Brian said sadly. He hated the thoughts of all his beautiful beds becoming filled with weeds.

“I can look after them, Dada,” Bree said trying to be helpful.

“You won’t have to,” John said emphatically.

“I can do it, Unca John.”

“I know you can, princess, but Bobby and Patrick and I will do most of the work. My brother can supervise.”

“You don’t have to do that, John,” Brian said quickly. “I can probably get the garden center to send someone over to do it.”

“Wouldn’t you rather keep it in the family?” John asked pointedly.

“Drew and I can always help when we’re here,” Emmett offered as they started passing the food around.

Brian raised an eyebrow.

“As long as someone tells me which ones are the weeds,” Emmett amended.

“I still think I should get the garden center…”

“I won’t hear of it,” John said forcefully.

“Me either,” Bobby agreed.

“We had another idea while we were in Hawaii,” Justin said deciding that they should let Brian mull over the suggestions about the garden. If they pushed too hard, Brian would just get his back up and turn them all down.

“What idea?” John asked sensing what Justin was trying to do.

“We thought we might like to have a greenhouse.”

“A greenhouse?” Bobby asked in surprise.

“Yeah, we saw all kinds of orchids growing in greenhouses as well as outdoors. Brian thought it might be nice to do gar-gar in the winter,” Justin explained touching Bree’s blonde locks fondly.

“That’s a great idea,” John enthused. “Want me to build you one?” John asked his brother.

Brian nodded and smiled. He’d like that a lot. “If I’m able to garden by winter, that is,” he added with a sigh.

“Of course you will be able,” John stated emphatically.

“Where the fuck is everyone?” a booming voice called from the kitchen.

“Debbie,” everyone said at once.

“Out here,” Justin called.

“Well, look at this lazy crew, lolling around…” Debbie stopped mid-sentence as she spotted the sling on Justin’s arm. “Fuck! What happened to you?” Her face mirrored her concern.

“Dislocated shoulder,” Justin replied.

“You poor baby, how did that happen?”

“I fell off a horse.”

“Were you having s-e-x on it?” Michael asked snidely, only half joking.

“Why does everybody keep spelling sex, Dada?” Bree asked.

“Damned if I know, Squirt,” Brian replied, taking the high road on this one.

“Does it hurt?” Ben asked.

“It’s not so bad,” Justin said.

“And did you hurt your leg too?” Debbie asked spotting the crutches leaning against the table near Justin.

“No, they’re…”

“That must have been some trip,” Michael scoffed.

“It was great,” Justin retorted.

“In spite of your injuries?” Debbie asked.

“I only have one…”

“Well, you just rest and we’ll take care of everything, won’t we, Carl?” Debbie said.

“Yes, dear.”

“But…”

“Why don’t you boys tell us all about your trip and what happened when everyone gets here,” Debbie suggested. “That way you’ll only have to do it once.”

“Good idea, Deb,” Brian said as he stood up and placed the crutches under his arms.

“Oh my God, they’re your crutches?”

“That’s right.”

“But why didn’t you say something?”

“I don’t recall having the opportunity.”

“What did you do to him?” Michael demanded of Justin.

“Me?”

“Yes, this must be your fault. Brian never gets hurt.”

“I have to pee,” Brian stated. “And as your mother said, we’ll tell you all about it when everyone gets here.” And with that Brian Kinney hobbled out of the room.



*****



“Did he tell you what happened?” Debbie asked John as they were loading all her salads into the fridge.

“Of course he did.”

“Is he really all right?”

“They both are. They just need some time to heal.”

“I feel like such an idiot not noticing that they were Brian’s crutches.”

“You could hardly have known with his sprained ankle under the table.”

“I should have known.” Debbie shook her head. She couldn’t believe she had been so stupid.

“Don’t blame yourself, Debbie. They’re both going to be fine.”

Debbie was about to lay some more blame on herself when the front door of Edna’s Treasures opened.

“Hi, we’re here,” Lindsay called.

She and Candy walked into the house followed by Leda, Jamie and a little bundle in a car seat.

“The baby!” Debbie gushed rushing over to look at the sleeping baby. “Can I pick her up?”

“Sure,” Jamie said setting the car seat on the kitchen table. Debbie gently lifted out the little girl who slept on oblivious to her surroundings.

“I’m so glad you were able to come,” John said looking at the baby as Debbie held her. “She’s beautiful.”

“We figured with all the mothers scheduled to be here today, we should be able to handle anything that happens,” Leda replied. “And a few doctors thrown in for good measure.” She seemed to glow as she looked lovingly at her daughter.

“How are you both doing?” Debbie asked.

“We’re good. Tired with feedings at all hours, but really good,” Jamie said happily.

“That’s good,” Debbie concurred. “What did you finally name her?”

Jamie and Leda looked at each other and smiled. “After quite a lot of discussion and debate, her name is Briar-Rose Aideen Cunningham-Thalberg, but she’ll be called Rose,” Leda replied.

“That’s quite a mouthful,” Debbie laughed.

“Yeah, but we like it,” Jamie responded.

“Will she like it when she’s a teenager?” Debbie asked knowingly.

Leda and Jamie shared another look, like they hadn’t thought about that.

“Let’s get you something to drink. Take the baby out to the garden. A few family members are there already,” John advised.

As the girls made their way outside, John got drinks set up in the sun porch.

“Lookie, lookie, who’s here,” Emmett cooed when he saw Debbie carrying the baby. “She’s so lovely,” he said as he looked at the little face.

“Where’s Brian?” Leda asked. “We wanted to thank him for helping us at the hospital.”

“Over there,” Emmett said. “What did Brian do at the hospital?”

“Emmett, I could use a hand with the drinks,” John called.

Not getting an answer to his question, Emmett hurried over to help John. He didn’t know Brian had had anything to do with the birth of Leda’s daughter.

“Brian,” Leda said leaning down to hug Brian where he sat on a chaise with his leg extended and his crutches tucked inconspicuously behind him. “I want to thank you for sending Debbie, and everything you did the day our daughter was born.”

Brian nodded but didn’t say anything. Debbie offered him the baby to hold. Brian took the little bundle carefully and held her to his chest. “She’s beautiful, Leda, Jamie.”

“Yes, she is,” both women replied.

“Can I see, Dada?” Bree asked hovering beside Brian’s chaise.

“Sure, Squirt, sit here beside me, and you can have a good look at…” Brian realized he didn’t know the baby’s name.

“Briar-Rose Aideen Cunningham-Thalberg,” Jamie said.

“But we’re going to call her Rose,” Leda added.

“Ah, a rose amongst thorns,” Brian couldn’t help but say.

Leda shook her head and chuckled. “I knew you’d say that. It’s part of the reason we chose the name, that and it’s another name for Sleeping Beauty.”

“She is a sleeping beauty,” Justin said from his chaise beside Brian.

“Did you take note of her middle name?” Leda asked.

“It wasn’t lost on me,” Brian said smugly.

“I thought it was the least we could do after you came to our rescue the day she was born,” Leda said.

“How did you know my middle name? It’s not common knowledge,” Brian said.

“I pestered Lindsay till she told me.” Brian snorted, but he quickly smiled too. He was rather pleased by the feminine version of his middle name Aidan.

“How come they got a girl?” Bree asked having waited patiently to speak.

“Luck of the draw, Squirt,” Brian replied.

“We always get boys,” Bree griped.

Brian chuckled and shook his head. Bree still wanted a little girl in the family. This was probably as close as she was going to get. “Do you want to come up here on the chaise with me? You can hold her if Leda and Jamie say it’s okay.” The girls nodded. Bree climbed up beside her father and Brian carefully placed the baby in her arms. She looked very pleased with herself as she held Rose.

Other family members were arriving. Most of them went directly to the new baby, oohing an aahing at the little girl. Many family members eventually arrived at Brian and Justin’s chaises, where they noted the battered condition of the men. They were told that all would be explained later on. That was enough to stop too many questions about what had happened. Everyone wanted to know if they were in pain and if they would be all right. They were content when they heard that both men would recover eventually.

When Joan arrived with Danny and Riley, she was very upset that Brian hadn’t let her know that he had been injured. She wanted to be at Edna’s Treasures to nurse her son when he needed her. She got John to bring a chaise over beside Brian’s in the shade where she ensconced herself for the rest of the day. If Brian needed anything she would be the one to get it. Bree wasn’t happy to have competition in her nursing duties, but she loved her Gamma Joan very much, so she decided to share her Dada.

Danny and Riley made some good natured jokes about the boys, but then left Brian and Justin to make their explanations when they chose to.

Nick and Hunter arrived, much to the pleasure of Leda and Jamie who were happy to have medical personnel on hand in case the baby needed any attention. Rose slept until she was hungry. Jamie took her into Bree’s bedroom to breast feed her, when the baby started to cry. Bree wanted to go with Jamie since her nursing services were not required at the moment.

Jamie said Bree was welcome to come with her. The two headed inside the house with baby Rose. Jamie sat in the big rocking chair that still occupied a corner of Bree’s room. Jamie lifted her T-shirt and the baby latched onto her breast sucking contentedly.

“Does that hurt?” Bree asked with a frown.

“No, it feels wonderful actually,” Jamie answered with a smile.

“My daddies told me I’d get breasts like yours.”

Jamie chuckled to herself. “I’m sure you will.” She had trouble imagining Brian or Justin having a facts-of-life talk with their daughter, but they obviously had. She had to give them credit for that.

“Do you think I’ll have a baby someday?” Bree asked thoughtfully.

“If you want one.”

“I’d like a baby girl,” Bree stated.

“What if you got a baby boy?”

“Every time I wanted a baby girl, I got a baby boy, so that’s probably what will happen,” Bree said with a dramatic sigh.

Jamie laughed. “And you’ll love your baby whatever it turns out to be.”

“I will?”

“I guarantee it.”

“Would you have loved a baby boy?”

“I sure would.”

Bree frowned. Maybe this lady was right. Maybe it didn’t really matter whether a baby was a girl or a boy, they were all special.

As Rose started to doze off, Jamie lifted her to her shoulder and elicited a big belch from the small body.

“Gross,” Bree said.

“It may sound gross, but she needs to get rid of the air.”

“Does she do that every time?”

Jamie nodded her head. “Yes she does.”

“Are you done?”

“She’s falling asleep,” Jamie said as she cradled the baby. “Can you bring me the car seat?” Jamie asked Bree. They had left it by the bedroom door.

“Sure,” Bree said hopping down off her bed to get it.

When the baby was tucked securely in the seat they headed down the hall.

“Babies don’t do much, do they?” Bree asked.

“No, mostly eat and sleep.”

“I think I’d like a baby that could do more stuff,” Bree said.

“No shit!” Jamie laughed as they headed outside.



*****



When Molly arrived with Owen and Taylor, there were tears when she saw her brother, as there were with Jennifer. Both women were very solicitous of the two men, and neither blamed Brian for Justin’s condition, for which Brian was most thankful.

Taylor wanted to climb up on the chaise with his Unca Dust. When he was stopped from doing that, he tried his Unca Bi. At that point Bree took matters into her own hands. She grasped Taylor by the arm and told him they were going to go into the sun porch and color. He was to come with her and not cry and not make a fuss. Taylor looked up to Bree with eyes full of adoration. He followed her without question.

Brian and Justin looked at each other. “I think it’s almost time for the full story of our Hawaii adventure,” Brian said.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 5





Brian whispered something into Bree’s ear, she nodded, hopped off her Dada’s chaise then scurried to find Patrick, Richie, JR and Candy. Soon, the younger members of Brian’s cwazy wittle family were in a huddle around Brian. The adults had no clue what Brian was planning, including his spouse. Justin was about to say something to Brian when Brian shook his head at him.

“It’s all under control, Sunshine,” was all that Brian would say. Justin sat back in his chair trusting that Brian would live up to his word. He always did.

“Let me know when the porch is ready,” Brian instructed the kids who then ran off to do his bidding. “John,” Brian called out to his brother after a few moments. John strolled over to his brother then leaned down for his instructions. Noting the Brothers Kinney deep in conversation, the family chatter became a little hushed. Anything could happen when Brian took charge of something.

“Emm, do you have any idea about what he’s doing?” Ted asked his tall friend.

“Not a clue. All I know is that Brian will explain what happened to them on their trip,” Emmett said.

“Humph,” Michael snarled. “What I want to know is what did Justin do to Brian?”

“Michael, what makes you think that Justin did anything to Brian? Other than the usual,” Ben stated. “They went on their second honeymoon.”

“Yeah, well, lots of bad shit happens to rich people caused by their so-called loving spouses. You’ve heard of couples going on cruises and only one comes back. They get declared dead and the surviving spouse is a millionaire!”

“Michael!” Emmett admonished. “You’re talking shit, and don’t let Brian hear you because crutches or no crutches, he’ll punch your lights out. Besides, Justin has his own money. He doesn’t need Brian’s.”

“Well, I’m just sayin’.”

“Well, don’t,” Ted added. “They just had some weird accidents, that’s all. And I know for a fact that the guys want to go back later this year. So shut up,” Ted ordered.

Michael grumbled to himself but said nothing. Ben gave his spouse a glare and Michael kept his opinions to himself, for the moment.

A while later, Patrick presented himself to his uncle and whispered something. Brian smiled, nodded and then gave Patrick one last set of instructions. Patrick went back into the conjoined cottages then emerged with a pan and a large metal serving spoon. Brian stood up, balanced himself on his crutches then had Patrick bang the gong.

“Attention, all you riff-raff!” Brian announced. “Except you, mom,” Brian turned to his mother. Joan just winked at her son’s antics. She knew Brian had to be feeling better when he was able to tease his family.

“If you make your way into the sun porch, we have set up a little entertainment for you. Some of you may recognize my methods. I borrowed the idea from my dear friend Mikey.”

Some of the family, who remembered the boring slide show that Michael and his Dr. Dave gave when they came back from Paris, chuckled.

“However, since we’re now in the 21st century, instead of slides, I hope you’ll enjoy my Power Point presentation,” Brian said as if he were giving a presentation to a new client. “Your ushers will assist you with your seating assignments. Please give them your kind attention. Go on, General Squirt,” Brian said to Bree with a wave of his wrist.

“What are you up to?” Justin murmured to him as their family slowly proceeded into the porch. The kids were there, each with their own guest list and carefully checking it. Each family member was escorted to a seat. It soon became obvious that more mature family were down in front and taller, younger family toward the back. The seats were arranged in a semi-circle and staggered so no one had a head obstructing their view.

“Just making sure everyone gets a good view,” Brian assured his spouse.

“Am I going to be embarrassed?” Justin asked.

“Never,” Brian said, giving Justin a loving kiss to his forehead. “But I might be. You’ll see toward the end of the show.”

“Okay, if you say so.”

“I do. Now go take your seat. You’re on the brass bed away from the hordes and with plenty of room for your arm.”

Justin smiled brilliantly at Brian knowing that he had thought of just about everything. Justin went inside to take his seat.

Slowly Brian made his way around the side of the house to the front door. John met him about halfway there. It was easier for Brian to enter the porch from the front of the house so he wouldn’t have to maneuver the crutches around the family.

“You okay?” John asked.

“I’m fine. Thanks for your help.”

“They’re all waiting for you. I don’t think Justin even knows what you’re planning,” John remarked as he deliberately walked slowly next to his brother. Brian was getting good on his crutches but there was no need to rush and risk further injury.

“Gotta keep some secrets or else life gets boring,” Brian snarked.

“Little bro, life is never boring around you two,” John teased good naturedly.

They made it into the house and Brian shimmied his way to the brass bed. John handed the remote control to Brian then took his own seat. The kids were scurrying around making like waiters and waitresses making sure the family had drinks and snacks.

“I feel like I’m at the movies,” Debbie remarked; Carl nodded in agreement. “Hey, Sunshine, did you two finally film the two of you fucking?” Debbie shouted loudly over her shoulder then cackled. Some of the guys chuckled while Michael protested, loudly.

“Ma! Will you stop it!”

“Come on honey, don’t try to kid me, I know you’ve always been curious about them fucking even after all these years,” Debbie stated much to Michael’s embarrassment.

“Ooooo!” was all that Emmett could say, eliciting laughter from the family around him. He sat up straight and tall to see better.

“Damn, I would have made a fortune when I had my online site,” Ted commented to himself more than to anyone specific. Allen gave him a nudge then shook his head at Ted. Teddy shrugged and gave his partner a small smile.

“That’s enough!” Brian shouted above the din. “No one’s gonna get to see me or little Mary Sunshine naked,” he announced.

“Awww...”

“Damn!”

“Well, shit!”

The family all grumbled. Justin blushed as Brian smirked, holding back his laughter. He knew the family couldn’t resist teasing them and he also knew the family was only teasing. The family held the boys in high regard and knew they would do nothing improper in front of the children.

“Thank you, Brian,” John said in a very gentlemanly like tone. “I think I’ve seen enough of your naked butt to last me a lifetime.” The family snickered.

“Speak for yourself,” Bobby and Emmett said at the same time. The family cracked up into laughter.

“Hey, lesbian, here!” Lindsay piped up as she waved a napkin like a flag. Leda and Jamie nodded although Leda did lean over to Lindsay and whisper conspiratorially making Brian scowl. Those two women knew a little too much about his body and he did not want them comparing notes.

“Bri,” Justin whispered, bringing Brian back to the here and now.

Brian cleared his throat then continued. “Ladies and gentlemen, and I use those terms loosely. Justin and I would like to present, Brian and Justin’s Excellent Adventures...Not!” he added as the family chuckled.

Patrick dimmed the lights while Richie and Candy each took a side of the porch, lowering the blinds. Brian clicked his remote and his projector hummed to life. He used the solid wall above Beau’s corner as his screen. What looked like a foam core board on an easel held the title written in bright orange on a deep blue background.

“You remembered,” Justin whispered with a smile.

“I can never forget,” Brian said with his own smile. Then he leaned down to give Justin a kiss.

“Didn’t you two get enough of that on your honeymoon?” Jennifer deadpanned.

“Never enough,” the boys answered her.

“We begin our tale at our favorite restaurant, Pappaganos,” Brian narrated as the show opened up to the anniversary dinner. The Connolly’s had taken pictures for the society pages and video to present to the happy couple as part of their present from the family. Brian expertly cut some of the scenes Morgan Connolly had filmed into his own video. The family ooohed and aahed in the appropriate places.

The next scene was of the Plaza Hotel. Since Kinnetik exclusively handled the Plaza’s advertising, Brian had a lot of stock footage including pictures of his suite. The family, duly impressed made noises indicating such.

“Hey, now do we see you guys naked?” Debbie shouted.

“Keep yer shirt on!” Brian shouted back.

“Ma, please!” Michael whined in fear that his mother would take off her t-shirt. The family laughed.

As the film panned outward, Brian continued to narrate. “This is where the first of our many mishaps started,” Brian stated and Justin sighed.

“What could happen in a hotel room?” Danny asked innocently. He blushed as many chuckles could be heard. Riley gave his hand a pat. “I mean, besides the obvious,” Danny amended his statement.

“Sunshine?” Brian offered the first round of explanations to Justin. Justin quickly got with the program.

“My wonderful and loving spouse who had arranged our trip never told me where we were going. In our rush to, um, start the festivities, we forgot to arrange for a wake up call,” Justin stated magnanimously.

“What he’s trying to say is that I forgot to arrange for a wake up call. In my own defence all I can say is that I was distracted.” Brian waggled his eyebrows. Mikey grumbled.

“I’ll bet,” several family members said.

“Anyway,” Brian continued with the story as the scene changed to the bedroom of their suite. “We woke up barely in time. I lost a few skin cells as I peeled myself off Justin then he got caught up in the bedding and wound up on his ass on the floor.”

“Wasn’t one of my finer moments,” Justin said, rubbing his ass in sympathy. The family cracked up then were treated to an aerial view of downtown Pittsburgh traffic.

“Don’t tell me,” Carl said.

“Yup,” both Brian and Justin confirmed.

“Even though it was early, we got caught in traffic. The driver just about got us to the airport on time,” Brian explained.

“But not without another ‘mishap’,” Justin said. “Some idiot ran a red light then hit a pole. Our driver stopped short while Brian was holding a cup a hot coffee.”

“Oh no!” many gasped.

“Yup,” Brian said. “What skins cells I didn’t lose earlier were burned. It could have been worse but quick thinking little Mary Sunshine, here, doused me in water. Although I did look like I peed myself.”

“Pee-pee in the potty, Dada!” Bree said like when she was a toddler. The family chuckled.

“You are so right, Squirt. We rolled down the window to dry myself out. When we got to the airport I was still a little damp but we thought we were late so we checked in then raced to our terminal.” Brian switched the scene to the Liberty Air Terminal. He had lots of stock footage of Liberty Air as well.

“Justin, is that where you found out where you were going?” Claire asked.

“Yes, as we checked in, but we had more trouble.”

“More?” Claire asked again.

“A whole lot more,” Brian said then explained about the mechanical trouble and then the snafu about their seats.

“Well, that’s not right,” Emmett stated with indignation. “You’re on your honeymoon; you have to sit together.”

“Brian handled it,” Justin said giving Brian a loving smile.

“That explains it,” Ted said.

“Explains what, Schmidt?” Brian asked.

“Why Kinnetik got a boatload of fruit baskets the following Monday from Liberty Air,” Teddy elaborated. Brian nodded in approval. He and Kinnetik had almost single-handedly put Liberty Air in the black. They could at least shell out for a few fruit baskets in appreciation.

Brian pressed the button and the scene shifted to a jet heading westward toward their destination. Brian clicked the remote and the scene changed to a typical Hawaiian island scene with beautiful men and women in grass skirts.

“Do they wear anything under their skirts?” Emmett enquired.

“Never got the chance to find out,” Brian responded as he clicked the remote again bringing up a collage of scenes, one popping up after another, all of the estate. He allowed the family to get all their excitement out of their system before continuing to the next slide.

“How did you do this?” Justin asked as he leaned into Brian.

“I have ways.” Brian winked at his curious spouse. The flashing scenes of the estate were actually the ad that caught Brian’s attention in the first place. He was mesmerized and when the ad was finished all it had was the contact information. The rest was up to the party who was interested in leasing the estate. Justin then recognized several of the pictures that he himself had taken throughout their time there.

The family continued to make noises indicating that they were impressed. No one was getting bored, Brian noted with satisfaction.

“Look at the beach!” Lindsay said out loud. “It’s so peaceful and serene,” she added.

“Looks can be deceiving,” both Brian and Justin said at the same time. As Brian showed them various shots of the beach, Justin explained the next of their mishaps.

“I got sunburned, bad. Brian tried to warn me.”

“But you know how stubborn our little Sunshine can be,” Brian snarked.

“Were my friends helpful?” Nick threw in.

“Very and we invited them back here for a visit, my treat,” Brian said gratefully.

“Care to explain?” Justin growled. He had no idea what Nick was referring to.

“I got worried, so sue me!” Brian said holding up his hands in surrender.

“What happened?” Jennifer demanded to know. The scenes were all of the beaches near the estate including the part that had the dangerous riptides.

“I didn’t listen so I wasn’t wearing any protective clothing or enough sunblock, but Brian got me out of the sun in time,” Justin explained to his mother who was about to work herself up into a snit. Seth patted her hand in support.

“Brian gave me a call asking if I knew any doctors out there. It just so happens that I have a friend from medical school who I knew moved to Hawaii. It was just a coincidence that he and his partner are living on the same island that Brian and Justin were visiting,” Nick told the family.

“And you made it sound like they were just dropping in by chance,” Justin said with loving and very moist eyes.

“Awwww!” the family reacted.

“Anyway,” Brian said stopping an all out love fest. “Even though I now had a French Fry for a partner, we managed to go to a club.” The next scene was of the front of Squeeze.

“Ooooo!” Emmett perked up again. “Oh my, I bet there was some delectable eye candy in there. Yum, yum.”

“Down boy,” Drew drawled. The family snickered.

“Justin wasn’t the only thing burned that day,” Nick began. “My friend, Paul, called me the next day to tell me that these two burned up the dance floor.”

The family roared with laughter as Brian and Justin sat back looking very smug. Michael mumbled something about being an over-the-hill club boy.

“Jealous much,” Hunter asked his dad. Michael glared at his son.

“When I told Paul how old these two are he thought I was trying to pull one over on him. Especially, the old man,” Nick said risking Brian’s wrath.

Justin laughed. Brian glared just for a moment then he too laughed. He had no doubt his family cared and respected him.

“Justin, sweetheart, are you really okay now?” Jennifer asked with a mother’s concern in her voice.

“I’m fine. I’m peeling like a snake and it itches....”

“But I get to rub lotion all over him,” Brian interjected as he winked at Jennifer. When the laughter died down, Brian got a little serious. “I have to admit my behavior wasn’t the best.”

“No, Brian, you were just frustrated and so was I. If I had listened to you in the first place, I wouldn’t have gotten burned like I did. We did all right,” Justin added with a lascivious smile.

The family all turned to look at the men.

“What he means,” Brian began then took Justin’s good hand into his own bringing it to his lips. “Our honeymooning activities were not exactly like I had imagined they would be. I got a little angry.”

“And then he made up for it. Boy, did he make up for it!” Justin quickly added before anyone could get angry at Brian. “He took away my pain.”

“Probably an adrenalin high,” Nick mumbled to himself.

Brian hit the remote again and the scenes changed to the pool and gardens of the estate. The family all murmured their appreciation of the tranquility.

“Please don’t tell me you almost drowned in the pool?” Ben asked.

“Nope,” the boys answered.

“Brian almost drowned in the ocean,” Justin said. Then he allowed Brian to explain what happened. Justin kept Brian’s hand tightly in his own.

“It was my fault. I swam too far down the shore in the wrong direction. When I made it to shallow water the waves knocked me around. The sand there isn’t really sand. It’s really small particles of lava.”

“Ouch,” John said out loud.

“Yeah, I was one big scrape,” Brian said holding up his palms that were still a little scarred.

“Damn, kiddo. I would have been on the next plane outta there,” Debbie said.

“He wanted to do that but I asked him to stay,” Justin admitted.

“Hmmph,” Mikey grumbled.

“We took it easy for a few days but we did get to go to a museum!” Justin said with a smile. Brian switched the scene over to the photos Justin took of the paintings and then the greenhouse. There was one picture that the boys had posed for standing in front of a large tropical hibiscus that had huge fuchsia colored flowers. A museum guard happily complied with their request. The boys hammed it up for the camera.

“Holy black and blue, Batman!” Debbie exclaimed when she took a good look at the boys. Justin’s sunburned neck was just visible under the loose collar of his shirt as were the bruises and scrapes on Brian’s arms and face. “You’re lucky you aren’t scarred for life,” Debbie mumbled.

“I’m just happy I didn’t lose him,” Justin said softly. “I don’t care about scars.” Justin stretched upward to meet Brian’s lips. The family remained silent for the moment until John cleared his throat.

“Bri, I think we need a short intermission,” John suggested.

“Good idea,” Jamie said sensing the tension. “Someone needs to be changed.” She held up the baby.

“I think my little man needs a potty break,” Molly added.

The family took that moment to stand and stretch their legs. The children ran around getting cold beverages and snacks for everyone. Emmett decided to help the young wait staff.

“You guys okay?” Bobby asked as he brought the guys a couple of cold beers. Brian and Justin had stopped taking any pain medication so the beer wasn’t going to interfere with any medication.

“We’re fine,” Justin said.

“I didn’t realize the bruises were that visible,” Brian said. “I was concentrating on the flowers around us. Some of them were bigger than my palm.” Brian had clicked the remote so all anyone could see were the various flowers in the greenhouse.

“It’s okay but I guess now you’ve got their attention,” Bobby said.

“I guess so,” Brian agreed noting the looks some of the family gave them. After a few minutes, the family began to retake their seats. Jamie came back with a very contented baby in her arms as did Molly.

“Unca Dust!” Taylor said as he ran through the crowded porch throwing himself on Justin’s legs.

“I can’t lift you, buddy,” Justin said sadly.

“Wait, take one hand,” Brian told Justin. Justin reached down to clasp one of Taylor’s hands, Brian took the other. “Jump buddy.” Taylor made a little jump while the guys pulled him up. Taylor happily plopped himself down in between his uncles.

“Unca Bi!” Taylor joyfully screeched.

“That’s me. Unca Bi and Unca Dust.”

“And me,” Bree said as she carefully climbed up making sure she didn’t hurt her daddies.

“Bee!” Taylor said loudly. Brian was a little worried that a green eyed monster would suddenly appear but was pleasantly surprised when Bree wiggled her way in between her dads then pulled the toddler onto her lap. Taylor giggled with delight as he wriggled in Bree’s lap making himself comfortable.

The boys exchanged startled smiles. Molly nudged her husband’s shoulder and he immediately snapped several pictures with his camera phone. When everyone was settled, Brian restarted the show.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 6





Brian hit the remote and several of Justin’s sketches of the paintings he had seen in the museum flashed by as well as some of the flowers that were prominent in the greenhouse and in the estate gardens.

“Justin, these are fantastic. I think you have the subject of your next show here,” Lindsay exclaimed and others agreed.

“You sneaky devil,” Justin murmured to Brian. Brian smiled smugly.

“I take it your excursion to the museum was mishap free?” Riley asked.

“Relatively,” Justin answered. “It was on the way back to the estate that we learned that somewhere along the way we pissed off one of the Hawaiian gods. Pele, to be exact.”

“Kilauea was working her way up to an eruption, it triggered off some shockwaves and our car wound up in a ditch.” Brian hit the switch and some pictures of the road came into view. The family saw that some of the pavement was buckled and cars were all over the place.

“But you were all right,” Joan asked.

“We were fine except that my dear spouse shamed me into helping push cars back onto the road,” Brian said with an exaggerated look of disgust on his face. The family laughed, just as Brian had hoped. “We finally got back to the estate in one piece.” The family let out a cheer.

“Now do we get to see you guys naked?” Emmett asked this time. A few people threw balled up napkins at the tall queen. He just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

“Our next excursion was to the Big Island, to the lava fields,” Justin began.

“Why do I think that wasn’t such a good idea,” Leda stated.

“I got a little carried away and wandered too close to the lava flow,” Justin explained to the family.

“Not another burn?” Michael asked.

“Almost,” Brian continued. “We wound up melting our shoes.” Brian hit the switch and a picture of the bottom of their shoes filled the screen.

“Oh my fucking god!” Emmett yelped.

“Pele, wasn’t very happy with us but it was a good excuse,” Brian said.

“Excuse for what?” Rachel asked.

“To go shopping!” Brian ducked the volley of balled up napkins that were thrown his way. Taylor and Bree giggled with glee as they tried to lob them back toward the family. Justin then told them about their experiences in the boutiques.

“I can vouch for their way with fine shopping,” Ted said above the crowd.

“Is that why you insisted we take the RV up here today? All those boxes and bags belong to them?” Carl asked Ted who just nodded. “Brian, you’re paying for the gas!” Carl grumbled.

“So, did you get something good?” Emmett asked them both, always interested in the latest fashion.

“We did all right,” Brian commented.

“He’s being nice. While Brian was flirting with a model...” Brian gave Justin and the family a very innocent look. “Yeah, right,” Justin glared at Brian. “I was trying to buy a present for a very special young lady.”

“Me, Daddy?”

“Yes, baby girl, you, and I’ll give it to you later.”

“Okay, Daddy,” Bree said very pleased with herself.

“While I was trying to get the saleswoman to show me a tray of charms, she called security.” The family gasped, making comments on how anyone could think that Justin could possibly be anything other than a legitimate customer. “It all worked out.”

“That’s because the bear of a security guard fell in lust with our little Sunshine,” Brian quipped.

“He did not.”

“Did too.”

“Not.”

“Too.” The family laughed as the boys playfully bickered.

“Our next trip was to Kauai to Waimea Canyon.” Brian showed them picture after picture of the colorful canyon. The family was amazed.

“So beautiful!” Jamie gasped. “Justin may I borrow a picture or two? I’d love to try to do something like this in paper.”

“I’ll email you the pictures,” Justin told his fellow artist.

“Maybe you two should consider a joint venture. Justin painting in oils while you work a similar scene in paper. Could make for an interesting show,” Lindsay suggested. The artists looked at Lindsay then at each other and smiled.

“Great, I guess I’m going to be a bachelor again,” Brian complained.

“You! I’m going to be a single mom,” Leda grumped.

The artists ignored their partners and made a date to conference. Brian took that time to change the picture to the Fern Grotto.

The family ooohed and aahhed again.

“Uncle Bri, is this where you tripped?” Patrick asked.

“Nope, but your Uncle Justin found a new appreciation for his well endowed butt,” Brian snarked.

“Daddy, did you fall down again?” Bree asked in total resignation. Her big blue eyes opened wide as she gazed at her father. Blues eyes met blue eyes.

“Yeah, I did,” Justin sighed.

“He not only fell but he bounced, halfway down the cliff,” Brian went on. “Fortunately, he put on the brakes.”

“I think my butt got flattened in the process.” Justin made a joke to lighten the seriousness of his accident.

“Is your butt okay now, Daddy?” Bree asked then giggled because she got to say the word butt.

“Yes, baby girl, my butt is just fine,” he laughed. Some of the family laughed along with them.

Next, Brian clicked his remote and more pictures of the estate flashed across the wall. The family could appreciate just how vast the estate was.

“These aren’t...?” John asked as a picture of two innocent looking horses stared back at them.

“They are. And it’s not the horse’s fault she got spooked,” Brian responded.

“No, it was my fault, I didn’t listen to Brian. He told me not to go riding but I insisted. Meet Pele and Maui, the goddess of fire and of the clouds.”

“Is Pele the horse that bolted?” John asked.

“Yup,” Justin confirmed. “I should have just stayed straight in my saddle. I twisted in my seat and the horse stumbled. She took off toward the barn.”

“Justin, it was a good thing that you jumped off in spite of your dislocated shoulder. I’ve seen a few experienced riders get slammed into a barn because they couldn’t jump off quick enough,” Steve explained. “I know your shoulder is painful but the alternative is worse.”

The family all nodded. Bree snuggled closer to her daddy’s side sensing the tension that ran through the porch. She held onto Taylor who had fallen asleep in her lap.

“I love you, Daddy,” Bree whimpered.

“Love you, baby girl.”

Brian quickly changed the picture to the big banyan tree.

“Who are they?” Joan asked.

“This is Angelica, our housekeeper, cook and overall travel guide, and her husband Henry. He’s the chauffeur and a very nice man,” Brian explained.

“They took good care of us,” Justin added.

“He means they nursed us after every accident. They put up with a lot of our shit while we were there,” Brian said. “And they still want us to come back!”

“Of course they want you to come back, they want your money,” Michael grumbled.

Brian ignored Michael. He wanted to say a whole lot of things but he thought better of it. He knew that Michael was upset that he’d come back hurt so Brian let it go.

Brian pushed the button on the remote again and again in quick succession. The next few pictures were of Justin, Angelica and Henry under the banyan tree. Then all of a sudden the picture became blurred.

“What the...?”

“Hey?”

“Huh?”

The family were all mumbling, buzzing like bees as Brian kept hitting the remote. They were all trying to figure out what they were seeing.

“Bri, what is this?” Justin finally asked.

“When I tripped on that root, the camera flew up and hit me on the head. It must have triggered the auto button because I certainly didn’t take these. It’s my mishap in action,” Brian joked.

The camera had captured Brian’s fall, tumbling over the root and then as he finally landed.

“Ow! My ankle hurts just watching that,” Drew said as his hand automatically went to rub his own ankle.

The last few pictures were taken at the restaurant just before the boys flew back home. Paul and Martin were in several pictures as well as Angelica and Henry.

“Oooo, what a handsome couple,” Emmett remarked about Paul and Martin. “When did you say they were coming for a visit?” Emmett flashed his toothy smile.

Then there was one group shot that their waiter had taken for them. They were all waving to the camera. Justin’s sling was clearly in view and his face appeared tired. Brian looked bruised and his crutches were leaning on the wall just behind his seat.

“And so ends, Brian and Justin’s Excellent Adventure!” Brian announced. Patrick got up to turn on the lights as Richie and Candy raised the blinds.

“I don’t know whether to laugh or cry, Kiddo. I’m just happy you’re both home.” Debbie voiced what everyone was thinking.

“I know,” Emmett said as he burst into alligator tears then jumped up to give Brian and Justin a hug.

“Stop slobbering all over me, you big fairy!” Brian scolded. “John, Bobby, help!”

“Come on, Emm, they’re fine,” John crooned as he went to pull Emmett off Brian.

“We have one more presentation,” Brian said loudly before everyone dispersed. “Emm, go help John and Bobby bring in the bags from my room.”

Emmett sniffled a couple of times then followed John and Bobby into the master bedroom. They all heard a squeal of delight. Emmett, laden with a lot of gift bags, came running back into the porch. He again gave Brian a hug and kissed his cheek.

“Ick!” Brian said as he rubbed Emmett germs off his cheek.

“Can I make like Santa?” Emmett begged. Brian waved a royal wrist at him. Emmett clapped with glee.

“In appreciation for the party you threw for us, Justin and I picked up a few little souvenirs for all of you,” Brian said as John, Bobby and Emmett checked each tag on the bag or box in their hands then distributed the gift to its rightful owner.

“When did you find time to do all this?” Justin whispered as he leaned closer to his spouse. Bree had carefully laid Taylor down in the middle of the bed then piled cushions around him so he wouldn't roll. She then hopped down to help her uncles give out the presents.

“While you were fending off the security guard and I was being measured, for my suit, Sunshine,” Brian teased Justin. Brian thought a jealous Sunshine was a cute Sunshine. “I had a personal shopper show me the store’s boutique catalogue. I found hundreds of gift ideas that saved me a lot of time. I picked out what I wanted, indicated who it was going to and they did the rest. I had the whole fucking lot shipped back to Kinnetik.”

“Pretty smart, Mr. Kinney,” Justin smiled.

“I think so,” Brian said most immodestly and with a smirk.

“Hey,” John said as he approached the boys. “I think you may want to give this one to the princess, and I found the gift for Gus. I left his and Ray’s and the ones for the rest of Ray’s family in the bag in your room,” John informed Brian. John handed a bright pink gift bag to Brian.

“I think you boys went a little overboard with the gifts,” John said as he sat next to Brian.

“It’s not often one gets to go on a second honeymoon,” Brian quipped. “I wanted it to be memorable.”

“Not this memorable,” Justin added as he gingerly gave his injured shoulder a shrug for the first time in days.

“Look, most of the stuff is just trinkets but you...” Brian still had some difficulty putting into words how he felt about his family.

“I understand, Brian,” John said as he gave his brother a pat on the back. “You really are a big mush, you know that, don’t you,” John smiled at Brian. Brian gave his brother a crooked little smile.

“Hey Squirt!” Brian called out to his daughter, waving the pink gift bag.

“Is that for me, Dada?”

“Yup, your Daddy picked this out special, just for you,” Brian explained. Bree beamed with her own sunny smile. She climbed back up onto the brass bed to open up her gift. Her dads watched as Bree carefully took out the box then unwrapped it.

“Oooo! It’s so pretty! What kind of flower is it?” Bree asked as she held up the flower charm then had her Dada put it around her neck.

“It’s called a hibiscus,” Brian informed Bree. “They grow in tropical places. That means they like very warm weather.”

“Oh, does that mean they don’t like snow?” Bree asked looking kind of disappointed.

“No, they don’t, but if Uncle John builds us a greenhouse, maybe we can grow some hibiscus,” Brian told her. “But I’ll need your help.”

“Of course, Dada! Daddy, can I put this charm on my necklace with my froggie?”

“I think that’s a great idea, baby girl, but ask your Dada to help.”

“Okay, Daddy,” Bree said as she slid off the bed then bounced her way happily over to her grandmothers to show them her new treasure.

“You made her very happy, Sunshine,” Brian observed. He placed a kiss onto Justin’s temple.

“We made her happy. She hardly takes off her froggie necklace because you bought it for her.”

“And now she has something from you to put next to it,” Brian whispered. The lovers kissed, well aware of the significance and of how lucky they were having a special little girl like Bree in their lives.

“These are beautiful!” Debbie gushed as she showed off her new earrings that were dangling boldly and brightly off her ears. They were a cluster of rainbow colored, enamelled flowers hanging off delicate gold chains. They reminded Brian of the Pride colors. When he saw them he immediately knew that Debbie would love them and he was right.

Debbie gave her boys a kiss and a gentle smack to Brian’s cheek then she went back into the fray of the family to show off her earrings.

As the family slowly made their way back out into the garden, John and Emmett began to fire up the grill. The older kids and the men grabbed the chairs to bring them back outside or fold up the ones they didn’t need. Lindsay and Rachel began to set the porch back to rights and prepare the long table for the buffet. The family working in concert got the barbecue off to a rousing start.



*****



“Sweetheart, do you need help?” Jennifer asked her son. Justin had a large plate containing a variety of salads sitting on the table in front of him.

“No, mom, I can manage. I’m allowed out of my sling for meals and to shower. Bobby got us an appointment with an orthopedist on Tuesday. I guess I’ll find out then when I can give this thing up for good.”

“Don’t overdo,” his mother told him.

“I won’t,” Justin promised. “I’m hungry,” he said as he dug into Debbie’s macaroni salad.

“That’s a good sign,” Debbie stated loudly. “Now if we can just get Brian to follow your lead.”

“Oh, he’ll follow Justin’s lead but just not to the dinner table,” Ben said as he sat down at their table. He had his own plate piled high with fruit, salad and grilled lean chicken. “Thank you,” Ben said to Justin.

“You’re welcome. Um, for what?”

“The book. It’s beautiful.” Ben reached under his seat for a small dignified looking gift bag. It contained an elegant book of sayings from the Dali Lama.

“Brian picked it out,” Justin informed Ben with a touch of pride in his voice.

“That man never ceases to amaze me. I’m almost done with this semester, if he needs help in the garden, you call me.”

“I will.” Justin found himself making his second promise in as many minutes. They ate in companionable silence, enjoying the afternoon and the company.



*****



As the sun started to set, the family formed into little groups around the yard, sitting under umbrellas or trees. A few of the older members sat in the sun porch where Brian and Justin had decided to stay. The chaises were very comfortable and there seemed to be no shortage of people willing to wait on them. Bree was at the head of the list.

“Dada, here’s your beer,” Bree said as she handed her father an ice cold bottle that her Uncle John had uncapped for her.

“Thank you, Miss Squirt.”

“I’m General Squirt,” Bree protested, using the name her father sometimes called her.

“Only in certain circumstances.”

“Huh?”

“You’re General Squirt when you are deciding things or demanding things or setting your poor old dads straight.” Justin snorted as he listened to Brian’s explanation.

“I set you straight?” Bree asked incredulously.

“When you know something is right or a certain way you want things to be, you let us know, and you’re … usually right,” Brian admitted.

“Really?” Bree asked with a big smile.

“Really, General Squirt,” Brian said returning Bree’s smile.

“I love you, Dada. I gots to do something,” she added quickly and raced out the door of the sun porch.

“Where’s she going?” Justin asked as they watched her run across the lawn.

“Damned if I know…” Brian began, but then he stopped. Bree had skidded to a halt in front of Riley and Danny who were sitting under the big tree. “Looks like it involves some of our elder statesmen,” Brian commented.

“What’s she up to?”

Brian shook his head. “I think we may be in for a little concert. She’s got Riley by the hand.”

Bree was tugging on Riley’s hand getting him to come back to the house with her.

“She’s a persuasive little thing,” Justin observed.

“That’s putting it mildly,” Brian snorted.

“Well she does take after someone else persuasive that I know.”

Brian grinned lasciviously.

A few minutes later the family could hear the sound of the spinet coming from inside the house.

“I think we’re being summoned,” Brian said standing up and getting his crutches hooked under his arms. “Anyone who wants to hear the product of months of music lessons and thousands of dollars, follow Gimpy and Sling Boy inside.” With that Brian started swinging along on his crutches heading for the sound of the musical chords.

Soon most of the family was assembled around the little spinet piano that Riley had renovated for Bree. Bree and her favourite piano man were tinkling some notes.

“Are you two going to play a tune?” Debbie asked after a minute.

“How about Heart and Soul?” Riley asked the little girl. “It makes me think of your daddies.”

Bree grinned. “I like that, Mr. Riley. I can play it.”

“I know you can, sweetheart,” Riley asserted.

“Go for it, General Squirt,” Brian whispered earning a sunshine smile from his daughter.

Bree and Riley launched into the familiar song. They played it very well, considering that they had not had much time to practice together. Bree hit one false note, but only Riley noticed, and he just kept on going.

There was a big round of applause when they finished.

“I made a mistake,” Bree whispered to Riley. She looked crestfallen, having wanted to play the song perfectly for her fathers.

“Nobody noticed,” Riley whispered back. He gave the little girl a hug. “Stand up and take a bow. We sounded damn good.”

Bree’s face brightened up. “Miss Faith wouldn’t like that I made a mistake.”

“Most musicians make mistakes from time to time. You just keep playing and hardly anyone ever knows.

“Really?” Bree asked as they stood up.

“Guaranteed.”

They took a big bow as the applause continued.

“Michael!” Ben shouted in the hallway.

“I’m going home,” Michael retorted loudly. “Get out of my way!”

“Michael, be reasonable.”

“Too late!” Michael shouted. That was followed by the slamming of the front door. Everyone stood in stunned silence, until Riley and Bree sat down and started to play Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 7





“What’s up, Mikey?” Brian drawled as he blocked Michael’s way with his crutch. Brian was sporting a smirk that he knew would grate on Michael’s last nerve.

“I’m going home,” Michael stated as he stomped a foot and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Why, what crawled up your butt?”

“You, Ben, everything!”

“Aww, Mikey, let me buy you a beer before you go racing off into the sunset. Besides, didn’t you come with Debbie? I think she’d notice if you drive off in the RV without her. And she’s planning to stay the night.”

Michael huffed, grumbled then followed Brian back into the sun porch. There was a cooler under the table still stocked with cold beer. Brian leaned down to open the cooler.

“I’ll get it,” Michael said. “Wouldn’t want you to fall flat on your face,” he mumbled. Michael opened the cooler to retrieve two beers. He twisted them open then handed a bottle to Brian once he got himself situated on a chaise. The concert was still going on in the living room. The remaining family were planning to spend the night somewhere on the lane or as guests of Riley and Danny at their nearby cottage if need be.

“Thank you, Mikey, how considerate of you,” Brian snarked. “Now you wanna tell me what’s got you snarling like a rabid dog?”

“You and Ben.”

“What about us?”

“Why is it that you always know what kind of present to get him? You and him talk about stuff that I just don’t get.”

“Yeah, so. I’m not fucking him, you are.”

“But you did.”

“Mikey that was...so long ago that I don’t even want to think of how long ago it was. I have no interest in getting into his pants if that’s what you’re worried about. Besides, I didn’t think you were into the Dali Lama. If I had known you liked those pearls of wisdom, I woulda bought you a book too.”

“I’m not into that stuff.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“You only got me a frame,” Michael mumbled softly.

“Oh for fuck’s sake.” Brian sighed then rolled his eyes. His childhood friend was being ridiculous. “Michael, see that small table in the corner near Justin’s slop sink?”

“Yeah.”

“Go over there.” Michael put his beer down under his seat then stood doing as Brian directed. “Lift the top. Is there a comic in there?”

“Yeah.”

“Good. Bring it and go get your gift.” Michael didn’t have far to go, his gift bag with his present was sitting on the long table.

“What are you doing?” Michael asked as Brian took the frame out of its bag. He carefully opened the back then inserted the comic into it. “Yeah, so, it’s a frame for a comic. So what!”

“Michael, I love you but sometimes you’re an ass. This is a sterling silver frame. I got it so you can put your first edition of Rage in it and hang it up in your store. I know the very first one off the printer is in the bank vault but you have the reprint. Take it out of that ratty box you’ve got stashed under the counter and put the fucking thing in the frame.”

“You got me a special frame for Rage?” Michael asked, his face all lit up with smiles.

“Yes, Mikey, a very special frame for your wittle comic book. Am I now forgiven for fucking your husband years before you ever knew him?”

“No, but I’m workin’ on it,” Michael tried to say with a straight face. One corner of his mouth curled up then he and Brian cracked up into giggles unbecoming men of their age.

“I love you, Mikey. You know that, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I do but Bri, answer me seriously, are you really okay? And Justin, his arm’s gonna be okay too?” Michael leaned in and placed his hand on Brian’s leg in a show of concern.

“We’ll be fine, Mikey. Just had a series of bad luck, that’s all. We’ll be bad as new in no time,” Brian reassured his friend. “So are you staying? Or do I have to hear your mother bitch at me all night long because I fucked up again.”

“I’m staying and I’ll even stay in that roving hotel of hers,” Michael said making a distasteful expression on his face.

“Very good, Mikey!” Brian patted his hand then the longtime friends cracked up again.



*****



The family who were planning to drive back to Pittsburgh began to pack up. The ones that were staying were cleaning up. It had been a pot luck barbecue with everyone bringing a dish or container of something. The kitchen was an assembly line of family washing dishes and rinsing out containers. Brian perched himself on a stool supervising the organized chaos.

“May I have everyone’s attention!” Brian said as he banged a pot against the counter. The family stopped whatever they were doing to give Brian their undivided attention. “Thank you. Boy, if I had known how easy it was to get you to pay attention to me, I would’ve fallen over a root a long time ago,” Brian joked.

“Bite your tongue!” came the retort from many, including Justin.

“Just kidding. But I’m not kidding when I say we have a new doctor in the family!” Brian announced, beaming with pride. The family buzzed with excitement, looking around at each other for a further explanation. “Ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to introduce, my brother, Dr. John Anderson, PhD!”

The family let out a roar of cheers as they all clambered closer to John in order to express their congratulations. It took another two hours before the conjoined cottages of Edna’s Treasures were quiet again.



*****



“You didn’t have to do that, you know,” John stated softly as the brothers sat in the porch sipping coffee.

“I know but you deserve it. And I was getting tired of all the ‘woe is you’ looks I was getting from the family the whole day. Besides, you’re my big bro, a PhD; I’m fucking proud of you!”

John smiled back at Brian, a smile that mirrored Brian’s own.

John blushed as he said, “Well, you saved me from saying anything. I didn’t have a clue about how to bring up the subject. My mother knew I had defended my thesis but didn’t know the results. You, Justin and Bobby were the only ones I told.”

“You’re too modest, big bro, this is an accomplishment that’s worthy of celebration. I wish I could do more.”

“Just coming home in one piece, more or less, is all that I want. I hate to bring this up but are you going to be able to cook breakfast in the morning? I had the distinct impression that my breakfast didn’t live up to your princess’ expectations.” John gave Brian a poignant look. Brian responded with his lopsided smile.

“I am the king of bacon and eggs,” Brian quipped. “In spite of entertaining a lane full of people today, I spent most of the day on my ass in this damn chaise with my leg elevated. I think I can handle breakfast if your partner does his magic to my foot before I crack the eggs.”

“I think my partner can handle that. On that note, I think I’m going to give my partner some well deserved attention. You need help getting up?” Brian shook his head. “G’night, little bro, see you in the morning,” John said as he sauntered back into his side of the cottage.

“Night,” Brian said as he watched his brother go.

“Bri?” Justin called softly from the hall doorway. “You ready for bed?”

“Yeah,” Brian replied, stretching his long legs before maneuvering himself up with the aid of the crutches. “Where did everyone bed down?”

“Deb, Carl, Michael and Ben are out front in the RV. Ted and Allen are rooming at Emmett’s. Your mother is in Gus’ room. Claire, Steve, and Bobby’s parents are at Rachel and George’s. Lindsay and Candy are up in our office. Jenn and Seth are up in John’s office. Nick and Hunter are staying at Riley's. Jamie and Leda decided to go back to the Pitts.”

“Did someone call to make sure they made it okay? That’s a long ride for a newborn.”

“Yup, Lindsay spoke to them; they’re home safe and sound.”

“Did your sister stay?” Brian asked as he helped Justin to get out of his sling. Between the two of them, they found a way of showering. Years of sharing their showers made it easy for them.

“Yup. They actually took the whole week off so we’ll be neighbors this week.”

“And Danny and Riley went to their cottage?”

“At the toll house, boinking like rabbits,” Justin said with a giggle as Brian slowly washed the day off Justin’s skin.

“TMI, Sunshine. They’re too old to be boinking like rabbits.”

“Bri, one day we’re going to be their age I want to know that I can still boink like a rabbit.”

“I refuse to be that age but I agree to the boinking bit. Speaking about boinking...” Brian rubbed his burgeoning dick against Justin’s ass.

“Is that a hint?”

“Not a hint. I’m coming right out and saying that I really want to fuck you through the mattress. It’s been days, Justin.”

“Then let’s get out of this shower and into bed.”

“Then make like rabbits?” Brian asked as he waggled his eyebrows at Justin.

“Boink! Boink!” Justin answered as he wiggled his ass. Brian hobbled, following said ass to their bed where they boinked the night away.



*****



With a groan, Brian opened his eyes. He realized he had tried to turn over and his bad ankle was caught in the sheets.

“Fuck,” he muttered as he tried to extricate himself.

“What’s wrong?” Justin asked as Brian’s mumbled oath had awakened him.

“I’m stuck,” Brian said trying to unwrap his foot. “Ow!”

“Stay still,” Justin ordered as he sat up. He quickly but gently started peeling the offending sheet away from Brian’s ankle. “There,” he said triumphantly when he was done.

“Thanks,” Brian replied leaning over to kiss Justin’s cheek.

“I should be thanking you for last night,” Justin grinned.

“Thanking me?”

“You were spectacular at boinking.”

Brian laughed out loud. “You were pretty spectacular yourself. Maybe there is hope for us when we’re old and decrepit like Danny and Riley.”

Justin frowned. “Brian, you don’t really see Danny and Riley as decrepit, do you?” he asked.

Brian was about to say that of course he did, when the look on Justin’s face caused him to pause and rethink his words. “I was … mostly teasing,” Brian said cautiously.

“Mostly?”

“Well, they are older, but they’re still strong and … vital.”

Justin smiled just a little bit. “We’ll be strong and vital when we get to their age too.”

“You know that for a fact?”

Justin nodded his head vigorously. “We eat right, take good care of ourselves…”

“Nobody would know that to look at us now,” Brian said scornfully, as he pulled his crutches over so he could get up and go pee.

“Those little mishaps in Hawaii will soon be forgotten,” Justin averred. “We’ll be better than ever.”

“That may be true, Sunshine, but right now I need to get moving. There are hordes to cook for.”

“I’ll help you,” Justin volunteered.

“Between the two of us we might be able to make one halfway capable cook,” Brian threw over his shoulder before he disappeared into the bathroom.



*****



Justin fumbled with the package of bacon. With his arm in its sling it was hard to get the strips of bacon separated. It had taken the two of them to open the package and peel back the plastic. Justin couldn’t do it by himself. Now it was just as hard getting the bacon slices separated with one hand. He wondered if he was more of a bother than he was a help to Brian who was seated at the counter cracking dozens of eggs to scramble.

“Need some help?” Brian asked.

“I can do it,” Justin snapped angrily. He was really getting frustrated.

“Whoa, just asking,” Brian said.

“Sorry, this fucking bacon won’t come apart.”

“I’ll help you, Uncle Justin,” Patrick’s voice said as he came into the kitchen. He walked over to the counter near the stove and pulled a slice of bacon off the slab. “I’ll pull them apart and hand them to you,” he suggested.

“That would be … a big help,” Justin agreed as he laid the first strip in the frying pan.

“What are you doing up so early, Little Red?” Brian asked.

“I don’t know. I just woke up. My dads are still sawing logs.”

Brian chuckled. “I seem to remember that they’re masters of that.”

Patrick giggled. “Are you guys really okay? How much longer do you have to use these things?” he asked indicating the sling and the crutches.

“A few weeks,” Justin replied as he turned on the bacon having finally filled the pan. “Want me to beat the eggs while you cook the bacon?” he asked Brian.

“You could cook it.”

“I could, but Bree would not be happy,” Justin stated. “It’s your mouth watering, succulent bacon that she’s been longing for.”

“Bree loves your breakfasts, Uncle Bri,” Patrick informed them.

“Okay, I’m coming,” Brian said with a big sigh as he stood up and adjusted his crutches under his arms. “Maybe you could hold the bowl for Justin while he beats the eggs, Little Red.”

“Sure,” Patrick agreed cheerfully. He climbed onto the stool at the counter and wrapped his hands around the side of the big bowl. He held it tightly as Justin got the whisk and started whipping the eggs.

“How do I know when I’m done?”

“I’ll let you know,” Brian replied as he turned the bacon. “The more air in them the better.”

“Okay,” Justin said finding it awkward to beat the eggs even with Patrick holding the bowl steady.

“Halloo!” Emmett’s voice called from the front door.

“In here,” Justin responded.

“My God! You’re cooking already. I came to assist.”

“Then get your ass over here and put this bacon in the oven while I get another batch going.”

“Yes, master,” Emmett replied responding immediately. “I expected you to wait for help, but it looks like you’re doing quite all right on your own.”

“We’re nothing if not resourceful,” Brian stated proudly as he poured off the grease and refilled one frying pan with bacon. “And we already have expert assistance,” he added, looking purposefully at Patrick who beamed back at him.

“You should have lots more help coming,” Emmett explained. “The moving motel was stirring as I came by.”

“Good, they can take care of all the extras,” Brian noted.

“Dada, you’re cooking!” Bree screeched as she barreled in from her bedroom.

“That I am,” Brian said as he smiled down at his daughter who had wrapped herself around his waist, one crutch trapped in there too.

“I love you, Dada.”

“I love you right back.” That elicited some smiles from Emmett and Justin.

“I’m helping,” Patrick said proudly.

Bree frowned. “I can help too, right, Dada?”

“Certainly, Squirt. You can start setting the table. Did you wash your hands?”

“Not yet,” Bree replied. “I just got up.”

“Then run to the bathroom and do that. Then you can start setting the table.”

“We’ll get the table set up,” John said as he and Bobby appeared. “I see you’ve put our son to good use. Morning, Patrick.” John and Bobby smiled at their son.

“He has been invaluable, unlike his sleepyhead, log sawing daddies,” Brian said with a smirk.

“You’ll eat those words, when I refuse to re-bandage your ankle,” Bobby averred.

“Oops,” Brian amended, “perhaps that was a hasty statement.”

“If you’re finished with the bacon, come with me and we’ll get it wrapped properly before you start cooking eggs,” Bobby ordered, obviously rescinding his threat not to bandage Brian’s ankle.

“Yes, O great healer,” Brian said as he fished the last of the bacon out of the pan and indicated to Emmett that it should go in the oven with the other that he had already cooked. He followed Bobby to his bedroom swinging along on his crutches.

“Why is everybody standing around?” Debbie demanded as she entered the kitchen. “We have masses to feed.”

“Brian’s getting his foot wrapped. We’re almost ready to cook the eggs. The bacon’s in the oven. We need coffee,” Emmett said in his best party planner mode.

“Me,” John volunteered.

“Juice?”

“Me,” Michael replied.

“Toast?”

Carl held up his hand.

“I’ll help with that,” Lindsay volunteered as she and Candy appeared.

“Table?”

“Looks like that leaves me,” Ben said.

“I help you,” Bree said as she reappeared from washing her hands.

“So will we,” Jennifer indicated as she and Seth walked into the kitchen.

“I’m sure I’ll need your expert advice, Bree,” Ben agreed as Bree took his hand and they headed to the sun porch. “All assistance gratefully accepted.”

“You sound just like Dada,” Bree remarked before she disappeared through the doorway.

Justin smirked at Michael who stuck out his tongue at him.



*****



In a very short time everyone was seated around the big table in the sun porch enjoying another one of Brian’s masterful breakfasts.

“You’re the bestest, Dada!” Bree proclaimed as she happily chomped on a strip of expertly cooked bacon. She licked her fingers and whispered a quiet, “Yum,” as she ate some of her scrambled eggs which were cooked just the way she liked them

“Thank you, General Squirt, I accept your commendation with the utmost gratitude.”

“And plenty of bullshit thrown in,” Debbie added.

Everyone had a good laugh at Brian’s expense, but they were also very grateful that their two friends were returning to normal, even though they were still battered and bruised.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

There’s No Place Like Home


Chapter 8




It being Monday and the family having nowhere pressing to be, they all decided to hover and mill about the lane enjoying the fine weather, the peacefulness and the company. The laid back atmosphere of the surroundings encouraged quiet conversation and contemplation. Normally hectic agendas were overruled for the day as the family caught up with the latest gossip or strolled the lane visiting the homes to inspect any improvements or changes made. Several excursions to Riley and Danny’s house were also made. Several of the ‘elder’ generation wanted to be around to nurse the walking or hobbling wounded.

After his rousing performance as short order cook extraordinaire, Brian was confronted by several pointing fingers directing him to sit his ass down on a chaise and elevate his aching foot. Since his foot had begun to throb, Brian saw no reason to argue with that many fingers and the family members attached to them. John brought out a chaise and placed it in a sunny spot in the garden. At Brian’s direction, John faced the chaise toward the adjacent meadow. In the distance Brian could see the peak of Emmett’s cottage roof. Brian took out of his pocket the little notepad in which, at Justin’s insistence, he had begun to sketch his ideas for the greenhouse while in Hawaii. He contemplated his drawing then began to make some modifications. Sometime later, Brian sensed a solid presence at his side.

“You keep staring at me like that and your husband is going to have another hissy fit,” Brian said half joking and half serious. The last thing Brian wanted was to get in between Ben and Michael, even if only by error or rumor. Been there, done that, had the t-shirt.

“He and Debbie are down by Emmett’s. His herb garden is overflowing so Debbie is taking some plants back home with her.”

“Mikey’s playing pack mule?”

“Something like that.” Ben sat on the edge of the chaise. “What’s this?” Ben asked indicating the pad and drawing, and showing genuine interest. Brian hesitated, feeling slightly embarrassed at his crude sketch. “It looks like a greenhouse but with the facade of another cottage,” Ben ventured, trying to encourage Brian to speak. Brian flashed a rare smile, pleased that his scribbled ideas were recognizable.

“I got the idea of having John build me a greenhouse, but I want it to look like part of the lane not like a nursery.”

“So the front is set back from the lane like your cottage and it has a stone facade also like your cottage,” Ben could see it. “And this?” Ben pointed to a rectangle.

“A side door, opposite from the sun porch door. I want to create a path that leads from here to the greenhouse that I can keep clear even if the snow drifts at the front. We’re a little more sheltered on this side than at the front of the cottage. When it snows we often use John’s door or the sun porch door to get out until we clear out the front.”

“Like during the blizzard.”

“Exactly.”

“And this circle toward the back wall?”

“An above ground pond with a waterfall, maybe some small koi. Benches around the trees.”

“Trees?”

“Tropical hibiscus that I can prune into small trees and maybe some orange and lemon trees.”

“You have this all planned out, don’t you?”

Brian slightly nodded his head. “I was hoping to help John but...” Brian looked angry and somewhat frustrated with himself.

“Maybe your leg isn’t as bad as you think. Save up your strength until he builds the thing, you’ll need it for all that planting you want to do.” Brian stared at his drawing then stared at Ben for a moment. Brian saw something like a look of longing cross the big man’s face.

“What is it? Fatherhood cutting into your nookie time?”

“There’s nothing wrong with our nookie time, thank you very much. But...”

“What?”

“Here,” Ben made a sweeping motion with his hand. “It’s so beautiful out here.”

“Why professor, you thinking of relocating?”

“Not on a permanent basis, but I wouldn’t mind having a place out here to come to in the summer and holidays. That is if the landlord wouldn’t mind giving up a couple of acres.”

“I don’t have any objections but I’d have to consult my partners. Can you afford it? John’s very reasonable but it’ll still cost a pretty penny.”

“But it’ll be worth every penny as you put it, to have someplace where you can hear yourself think. And JR would love it.”

“She might miss Curtis.”

“There’s no reason why he can’t stay for a weekend or two, as long as they behave,” Ben said in his most parental tone of voice.

Brian cracked up. “Ah, the teenage years. There’s never a dull moment.”

“Yeah, well, I’m seriously thinking of retiring or at least cutting back to one or two classes per semester. I’ve also decided to take the summer off. I’m tenured; I’ve paid my dues.”

“You’re okay?” Brian asked, sitting up in his lounge chair putting a hand on Ben’s thigh.

“I’m fine but I’m tired. I think I deserve some time off.”

“Yes, you do. You both do but I don’t see Mikey giving up his store anytime soon.”

“He won’t and I know for a fact that JR wants to take over when she’s old enough.”

“At the rate she’s maturing, I’d say she’ll be ready next week,” Brian teased.

“You’re a shit, Brian, but I have to agree. JR’s been making noises that she doesn’t want to go to college, just take over the store. Michael is so happy that he might just let her. I’ve been insisting that she at least go to junior college. She needs to get some business basics into her.”

“I agree. However, her ideas have greatly improved the store’s profitability.”

“How do you know?”

“At her insistence, Kinnetik’s been handling the advertising. Between her ideas and the ad campaign, your spouse is sitting on a goldmine. I can understand her impatience but I’ll encourage her to at least try college.”

“Thanks. So do you think John would take on my cottage?”

“We can ask him, but I have an idea about that,” Brian said as he turned the page in his book and began to draw a rough sketch.

“It’s a cottage,” Ben said as he looked over Brian’s pad.

“Duh. What if we make it bigger with several floors and suites of rooms? We make a joint venture that the family could all contribute to. This way no one person or family incurs the whole cost. You can lay claim to one set of suites, come and go as you please.”

“Like a time share?”

“I guess so but I’m not going to keep a calendar. You guys have to hash that one out for yourselves. But at least when someone wants to stay over they don’t have to always camp out in our house. Or take a chance that someone will put them up for the night.”

“Debbie’s RV does get crowded,” Ben remarked.

“And you can come up to spend a long weekend with JR or by yourselves. It'll be a good excuse for JR to spend more time with Lindsay and Candy. Come to think about it, maybe Lindsay would want in on this too. She hated to give up her cottage but she just couldn’t afford it plus buy out that bitch for the other half of their house.”

“You know this does sound doable. I bet Raphael and Hector may want a piece of this. But you may want to carefully examine the financial aspect of this.”

“Yeah, money and family do not go well together. I’ll work it out somehow. Either way, there’ll be a set of rooms that you and Mikey can call your own.”

“Thanks, Brian. I’m getting myself some water, want me to bring you a bottle?” Brian nodded with a smile as Ben got up to go inside the cottage.

“What’s got you grinning like a Cheshire cat?” John asked as he took up the space that Ben had just vacated.

“Nothing, just contemplating the way life works,” Brian retorted. “You got a minute to talk about greenhouses and cottages?” Brian said with a smirk.

John sat up straighter then replied, “The doctor is in!” The brothers laughed then Brian threw his arms around his brother, smacking John’s muscled back. “You have something to show me?” John knew from Justin that Brian had made a sketch of the greenhouse. Brian showed his brother that sketch.

“I’m impressed, little bro. You’re turning out to be a good little architect. And I can appreciate the esthetics; the structure will blend into our general theme of the lane. You know I always thought that Rachel’s house would stick out like a sore thumb on our lane but somehow surrounded by all those trees, the house fits. Now back to your greenhouse, tell me about all these squiggles and circles you’ve got going on here.”

Brian carefully tried to explain each squiggle, circle and rectangle in his rendition of the greenhouse. Ben came back with the water then joined the conversation.

“John, did he tell you about his B&B idea?” Ben teased, ignoring Brian’s scowl.

“I was just getting to that,” Brian growled then turned the page over to the newest cottage project.

“Wait! I get it,” John crowed. “And if you’d allow me to foot the cost of this cottage I can make it into a class project.” John explained further. “I’ve been approached to teach a summer class but for the life of me I couldn’t think of what I wanted to teach about and the thought of spending the summer in a classroom held very little appeal. But if I take on the greenhouse and cottage projects I can teach and still be outside where I belong. Brian, do you think I can steal your son for the summer? I’d like him to video the whole process. I can use the tape for future lectures.”

“Thought much about this?” Brian snarked in astonishment. “I have no objections but you’d have to ask Gus. I know he was planning to work at Kinnetik for the summer. And I’m sure he wanted to spend some time with Ray. And you can get this finished over the summer?”

“I’ll call him. Maybe he can use the video for some of his independent studies at PIFA,” John suggested. “I’ll even pay him. And, the greenhouse is relatively easy. I can have a separate crew work on it while you and Gordon supervise. Then I can concentrate on the larger cottage with the students.”

“You must be so proud of him,” Ben remarked with a wistful look as he returned with the water. Ben explained to John JR’s plans for herself.

“She looks up to Gus in many ways, why don’t you ask him to drop some subtle hints about college,” John suggested.

“A Kinney being subtle, interesting concept,” Ben teased. “But that’s a good idea. JR does look up to her big brother even though she won’t admit it. She even admires Bree.”

“Bree’s only eight!” Brian stated.

“Yes, but she’s a very smart and determined eight year old. She has to be being the only female amongst all of you. And I know she has you all wrapped around her little finger,” Ben said with a smile.

The Kinney brothers nodded, not bothering to deny it.

“JR admires her decisiveness. Sure she’s a little spoiled but she has a good heart, she loves her daddies and her whole family. She’s a good kid, Brian. You and Justin are good fathers.” Brian was a little overwhelmed with Ben’s praise. “John, if you’re going to use the cottage for a university project, wouldn’t they subsidize the cost?” Ben stated after a while.

“They might but then they have a say in how we use the cottage. If I foot the cost then it’s my cottage and they can’t say dick about how I use it,” John said stubbornly.

“My, my, brother John is getting ballsie in his old age,” Brian snarked.

“Hey, I got balls and I know how to use them. I just choose to be subtle about it,” John said with mock indignation.

The three men broke out into laughter then decided to stroll the lane to look over the landscape that would soon be altered.

“Are you really up for this?” Brian asked John as they stared at the empty field.

“I am but we should talk it over with Justin and Bobby. We have to all agree about the new cottage.”

“Brian, you might be giving up some of your privacy,” Ben warned.

“Maybe, but I think all of our children will benefit from the experience. And I’m not blind to looks you all get on your faces sometimes when you visit. You all wish you had a quiet place to come to once in a while. As for privacy, believe it or not, that big fairy doesn’t always barge in when he and his men stay at their cottage.”

“You rang, O grumpy one?” Emmett asked right on cue. He had helped load up Debbie’s RV with selected plants that included herbs and tomato plants. He was curious about what the guys were talking about.

“Emm, what would you think about having half of Pittsburgh visiting here but staying in their own cottage? A private bed and breakfast between your place and my new greenhouse.” Brian pointed to the general location of the planned structures.

“Oooo!” Emmett clapped bouncing in place. “I’d say, bring it on!”

“We still need to consult with the rest of the lane but I do think it’s a good idea,” John said.

“Then let’s discuss it over lunch,” Brian suggested as he turned on crutches and began to hobble back to Edna’s Treasures.



*****



While Emmett was organizing lunch, he kept the troops away from John’s end of Edna’s Treasures. The official inhabitants of the lane were all in a deep powwow to discuss the new cottage. No one voiced objections, on the contrary, everyone was pleased that visiting family would have a temporary home to call their own.

Molly, who had the smallest of all the homes on the lane was especially happy about the ‘bed and breakfast.’ She didn’t mind hosting her parents or Owen’s parents once in a while but by design, her cottage had only two bedrooms. And they were occupied. Visitors had to use the futon in the main living area. Her father found it a little disconcerting since the door to her cottage was all glass. It felt like the whole world was looking in. Beau’s appearance, staring through the glass on his patrols, startled Craig on more than one occasion. After living day to day in the fish bowl of Pittsburgh’s society, Molly’s little cottage was her safe haven.

Rachel and George were all for it, as was Drew, who was speaking for himself and Emmett. Drew didn’t mind putting the guys up for a night or two but longer than that grated on his nerves. Their cottage was Emmett’s dream cottage and that dream did not include roommates.

“Brian, Ben does have a point regarding the loss of privacy,” Justin counseled. “I can see Ben being happy to sit in his own quiet backyard with a good book, but Michael will think it his right to visit with you every chance he gets.”

“Then we’ll have to set some boundaries when we declare open house,” Brian replied.

“You know, I like the idea for the mere fact that more often than not, Rachel is the only one out here during the day,” George chimed in, putting his arm around his feisty wife. “We are off the beaten path which is the main attraction but that means it takes longer to reach us out here in an emergency. We’ve been fortunate that we’ve never experienced a big emergency.”

“Other than that fire,” Justin reminded them of the vandalism that almost wrecked Emmett’s cottage.

“But you do have a point, when we’re all at work and the kids in school, Rachel’s the only one on the lane,” Justin said. Beau gave a little ‘woof.’ “I stand corrected,” Justin said as they all chuckled. He bent down to give the big dog a hug. “The only human on the lane,” Justin qualified his statement.

“What about this idea that John foots the bill,” Brian asked with a scowl. “If the family is going to use the building, they should contribute to it.”

“Don’t worry about that,” Bobby began. “We can afford it and if John uses the cottage as a learning tool he’ll be able to get a tax credit. And I’m sure the family will want to contribute to the upkeep in other ways, if not monetary. We’ll work it out,” Bobby assured his in-laws.

“Okay, then we’re agreed,” Brian said after some thought. The families of the lane all nodded in agreement.

“Helloooo!” Emmett called out as he approached the door from the sun porch. “Is your meeting over?”

“Yes, it is, babe,” Drew said as he put his arm around his lover then pecked Emmett’s lips.

“And the outcome?”

“We’re about to be invaded on a semi-permanent basis,” Brian snarked.

“Oooo! Company; I like it,” Emmett said as he clapped his hands. “Now that these decisions have been made, lunch is served.”

The family followed Emmett out to the porch to enjoy lunch with the rest of the family.



*****



“Son, are you sure you don’t want me to stay. Danny can do without me for a few days. I can see that your leg is bothering you,” Joan asked as Brian and Bree walked with her to Jennifer and Seth’s car. Although she had ridden up with Danny and Riley, they were going to stay another day or two at their cottage, so Joan was going back to Pittsburgh with Jennifer and Seth.

“I’ll be fine, Mom. Rachel’s here and Molly is staying for the week. Justin and I have a doctor’s appointment on Tuesday,” Brian responded. “Besides, you all cooked enough food to last us for weeks.”

The ladies and Emmett had prepared lots of easy meals then packed them away in the freezer.

“Okay, if you’re sure.”

“I’m sure, Mom. And I have General Squirt here to take care of me,” Brian said as he beamed a smile down at his daughter. Bree beamed her sunny smile back up at her father.

“I’ll take good care of Dada and Daddy, Gamma. I promise.”

“Of that I have no doubt,” Joan replied. “All right, I see that I’m outnumbered but you will call me to tell me what the doctor says. Or, if you need me to come out here, I will,” she said in a tone that brooked no argument.

“I promise,” Brian said sounding so much like Bree that Joan had to smile. She got into the car as Jennifer and Seth were passing out kisses to Justin and Bree.

The families of the lane gathered in front of the Edna’s Treasures cottage to watch the rest of the families caravan their way down the lane toward the gate. Molly, Owen with little Taylor in tow, walked back to their cottage. Rachel and George went back to their house. Emmett was busy giving the cottage one last inspection, as well as the garden. When he was satisfied that Edna’s Treasure was once again as pristine as ever, he joined his men for the walk back to their own cottage.

The lane was quiet once more.



*****



It was hours before sunset; Patrick persuaded Bree to play catch for a while with him. She bargained and made him promise to kick around a soccer ball after. Beau didn’t care what the kids were playing, he was happy just to have the chance of chasing a ball around the yard.

John had gone into architect mode, sitting at his drafting table, happily drawing plans for the greenhouse and his family cottage. He called Gordon and key members of their crews to consult with them but first apologized for disrupting their holiday. Bobby relaxed on the sofa in their office, shaking his head in amusement at his spouse. Resigned again at being a ‘cottage widow,’ he took out a brief to review.

With Brian’s help setting up his easels, Justin decided to take advantage of the afternoon to work on his mini canvases. He quickly found himself engulfed in the vibrant colors of Hawaii. Brian, with his crutches, walked back outside.

“I think I might miss some of this wilderness,” Emmett said seriously as he stood next to his friend. He had wandered back up to Edna’s Treasures to make sure the injured were doing okay.

“I thought you went back home,” Brian said quietly.

“I did. Drew’s taking a nap and Richie is working on a paper. I came back to take another look at your drawing. I wanted to see the greenhouse and new cottage from your perspective.”

“My perspective?”

“Yes. You see the world differently than most people, Mr. Kinney. You see potential, whether it’s in a person, a business or in a place. I’ve learned a lot from you over the years, even when I’m annoying the shit out of you.” Emmett’s tone was low, without flamboyance. He rarely used this voice but when he did it commanded attention. It was the same voice he used when he once begged Brian to help out Ted and when he talked about his mentor Godiva.

“That’s pretty deep for an old fairy.”

“Yes, well, I do know a thing or two about going deep.”

“Spare me.” They stood shoulder to shoulder looking over the meadow. “I think something’s up with Ben and Michael.”

“I got that impression. But we shouldn’t interfere.”

“I can’t believe you just said that.”

“I’ve seen the results of when good intentions go wrong. Michael becomes easily suspicious and Ben, he still thinks you’re competition.”

“I’ve done nothing to warrant it.”

“The very act of you breathing warrants it but if they do become our neighbors even if only for short periods, they’ll both have to get over it or it might tear them apart.” Brian had no response.

Just then a ball came flying in the air to land not too far in front of the men.

“Sorry, Dada,” Bree called out as she ran past them to retrieve the ball. She picked up the ball then ran back into the yard toward Patrick.

“They won’t be able to play ball on this side of the house once the greenhouse goes up,” Emmett remarked.

“The kids will adjust. We’ll still have a lot more open fields even when the new buildings are built.”

“I suppose you’re right. Do you think it’s serious whatever’s happening with Michael?”

“I hope not. Besides, I have my own problems to worry about," Brian said as he leaned on his crutches. "And I’ve been told that I can’t fix everything that’s wrong in our family. I have no intentions of getting myself sucked up into whatever’s going on with those two. With my luck it’ll backfire and I’ll be the one to get burned,” Brian stated.

“People who live in glass houses...”

“Yeah,” Brian said with a huff.

-tbc-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1389