Mayor Kinney by Thyme
Summary:

 

Many things happen during Brian's term in office.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: None
Genres: Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: Political Brian
Chapters: 50 Completed: Yes Word count: 148515 Read: 103374 Published: Dec 12, 2018 Updated: Dec 12, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by Thyme

2. Chapter 2 by Thyme

3. Chapter 3 by Thyme

4. Chapter 4 by Thyme

5. Chapter 5 by Thyme

6. Chapter 6 by Thyme

7. Chapter 7 by Thyme

8. Chapter 8 by Thyme

9. Chapter 9 by Thyme

10. Chapter 10 by Thyme

11. Chapter 11 by Thyme

12. Chapter 12 by Thyme

13. Chapter 13 by Thyme

14. Chapter 14 by Thyme

15. Chapter 15 by Thyme

16. Chapter 16 by Thyme

17. Chapter 17 by Thyme

18. Chapter 18 by Thyme

19. Chapter 19 by Thyme

20. Chapter 20 by Thyme

21. Chapter 21 by Thyme

22. Chapter 22 by Thyme

23. Chapter 23 by Thyme

24. Chapter 24 by Thyme

25. Chapter 25 by Thyme

26. Chapter 26 by Thyme

27. Chapter 27 by Thyme

28. Chapter 28 by Thyme

29. Chapter 29 by Thyme

30. Chapter 30 by Thyme

31. Chapter 31 by Thyme

32. Chapter 32 by Thyme

33. Chapter 33 by Thyme

34. Chapter 34 by Thyme

35. Chapter 35 by Thyme

36. Chapter 36 by Thyme

37. Chapter 37 by Thyme

38. Chapter 38 by Thyme

39. Chapter 39 by Thyme

40. Chapter 40 by Thyme

41. Chapter 41 by Thyme

42. Chapter 42 by Thyme

43. Chapter 43 by Thyme

44. Chapter 44 by Thyme

45. Chapter 45 by Thyme

46. Chapter 46 by Thyme

47. Chapter 47 by Thyme

48. Chapter 48 by Thyme

49. Chapter 49 by Thyme

50. Chapter 50 by Thyme

Chapter 1 by Thyme



Mayor Kinney

* 1 *

It was almost a week after the election.  The results had really shaken things up in Pittsburgh.  In truth few people had thought that Brian Kinney really had a chance to win.  The concept of an openly gay mayor in the staid, conservative and blue collar environs of Pittsburgh was a bit more than seemed humanly possible.  But Brian had won. Despite the odds against him his brand of cynical humor, unfailing honesty and personal charisma had somehow swept the day.



Because of the delay in the campaign and the new election date Christmas was fast approaching.  Brian would be sworn in as mayor after the New Year. In the meantime he had the holidays to contend with, then the prospect of setting up his office the way he wanted it and lastly he had to learn what the fuck a mayor did.



Charles had been very helpful, continuing to advise him and providing him with copies of the minutes of recent council meetings and protocols to familiarize himself with the workings of local government.  Brian was grateful. He felt he would be totally lost without this help.



Brian spent his days boning up on his new job and fucking Justin senseless at night.  He couldn't get enough of the boy. Justin began to suspect that there was more to the fucking than Brian's usual urges.  Brian had always used sex as pain management, and that thought had not escaped Justin. After one particularly strenuous session, Justin curled up against Brian while they both regained some kind of equilibrium.  He decided he had to say something.



"Brian," he said tentatively, "can we talk?"



"About what?"



"About how sore my ass is."



"Is it?" Brian asked with a smirk.



"You should know," Justin retorted.  "You're plowing into it often enough … like four or five times a day."



"I haven't heard any complaints."



"I love it when we fuck.  You know I do, but I'm beginning to think it's an excuse for avoiding something else."



Brian stared at him.  This kid could always peg him.  "You think so, do you?" Brian asked being totally non-committal.



"I do."



"So?" Brian said after a long pause.



"I want you to tell me what's going on."



"What makes you think anything's going on?"



"Will you quit answering my question with a question and tell me what's wrong?"



Brian looked like he was considering it, but then he suddenly bolted upright and stalked naked from the bedroom down to his computer desk.



"Brian," Justin called after him.  "Come back, please. Talk to me."



He rolled onto his back afraid that he had really pissed Brian off and would never find out what was bothering the man.   He closed his eyes and sighed in frustration. Suddenly he felt something hit his chest. He opened his eyes to find Brian standing in front of him and a stack of papers lying across his chest.



"What the fuck is this?"  Justin asked.



"Read them!" Brian ordered with an edge to his voice that told Justin to do as he was told and not ask any questions first.



Justin picked up the one on top.  It said: "You're a dead man, Kinney.  You will never be sworn in as mayor."



The next one said:  "Give up and resign.  You will never be mayor."



Justin grabbed another one, his heart pounding in his chest.  It said: "Quit while you have the chance. Pittsburgh will never have a gay mayor."



"Fuck!" Justin said in anger and bewilderment.  "Are they all like this?"



Brian nodded.



"How long have you been getting these?"



"They started coming the day after I was elected," Brian said slowly.  I get about two or three every day."



"Holy shit!  These are threats, Brian.  Have you called the police?"



Brian snorted.  "I'm not exactly on good terms with Pittsburgh's finest."



"Shit!  Stockwell!  But there must be something you can do," Justin said helplessly unable to think of anything they could do with Stockwell heading up the police department."



"Yeah," Brian said, "I can resign before I even take office."



"You … you're not thinking of doing that?" Justin asked, fear evident in his voice.



"The thought has crossed my mind," Brian admitted with a grimace.



"But … but … after everything we went through, Hobbs and the press and the meetings.  You can't."



"Yes, I can, but I don't give up so easy," Brian said just like a gangster from some Mafia movie.



Justin giggled in spite of himself.  He cleared his throat and said, "Have you talked to Charles about these?"



Brian shook his head.  "You're the only one who knows.  I've been trying to think of something to do, but I …"



"Horvath!" Justin said interrupting.



"I don't think Carl's going to go against his boss," Brian said.



"He helped you when that shit of a nephew of yours accused you of molesting him."



"But that was before the whole campaign fiasco.  I don't want to involve him and get him in trouble.  Deb says he can retire soon."



"Have you talked to Deb about this?"



"Not exactly.  I put out some feelers about Horvath helping me if it went against Stockwell and she said he didn't want to make waves.  He just wants to retire in peace."



"But Brian these are threats.  They're kind of scary actually.  I think you should talk to him, but don't pressure him to help.  Ask him what you can do."



"That's not a bad idea," Brian said thoughtfully.  "I'll make it clear that he can stay out of it if he wants to."  A lascivious grin passed across Brian's face. "You are so smart, and that turns me on."



Justin groaned seeing Brian's stiffening cock start to stand out from his body.  "Be gentle," he said as Brian pounced on him. He hoped he would be able to sit down for the last week of classes before Christmas.



                                                               -----



Brian and Justin sat in Horvath's office at the Pittsburgh P.D.  Brian had handed him the letters and briefly explained how many he was getting as Carl looked through them.



"Did you get some today?" Carl asked.



"The two on top were from today."

"They don't seem to be getting any more threatening, but this is definitely disturbing."



"You're telling me," Brian said sarcastically.  Horvath gave him a look and he quickly added, "I don't know what to do about them.  Any suggestions?"



"Did you save the envelopes?" Carl asked.



"They didn't include their return address," Brian said with a sneer.



Carl ignored the insult.  "If we have the envelopes we can trace where they were posted.  See if they all come from the same source."



"Oh."  Brian hadn't thought of that.  "I threw them all away, but I think I still have today's."



"Good.  Hang onto it and save any more that come in the next day or two.  Then bring them to me."



"Thanks Carl, but I don't want to get you involved.  If Stockwell finds out, he can make it miserable for you."



"This is police business, and you are the duly elected mayor.  You deserve police protection. I'd like to see my boss tell me otherwise."



Brian smiled.  Carl was a tough old nut.  He could see why Deb liked him.  "If you're sure," Brian said.



"I'm sure, and Brian, a piece of advice.  When you are sworn in, you are entitled to staff including security.  Find a couple of people who you can trust for that position. Until the inaugural get out of town."



"What do you mean – get out of town?"



"Take Justin and go someplace warm over the holidays.  Get out of harm's way."



"You think I'm in danger?" Brian asked surprised.



"Probably not, but I wouldn't suggest being careless … just in case."



"Shit!" Justin said.



"I'm not trying to scare you, but do what I suggest.  When you get back you will be sworn in. There will be lots of security there and as I said hire some reliable goons."



"Christ, that is some advice!" Brian said shaking his head.



Horvath merely shrugged his shoulders.



Brian held out his hand.  "I appreciate this, Carl."



Horvath shook his hand.  "If you do decide to head out of town, leave a key with Deb and I'll check your mail every day."



Brian nodded and he and Justin left the office.  Several policemen stopped what they were doing and watched the new mayor as he passed through.

                                                                -----



Brian and Justin disappeared over the holidays.  They told no one where they were going or why. Brian decided the holiday in Barbados was their gift to each other.  They swam and tanned and ate and drank and had hot, passionate sex indoors and out. By the time they returned New Year's Day they were both rested and relaxed and very happy.  They had barely thought of Pittsburgh the whole time they were gone.



Brian had taken some of the council minutes he was reading to bone up on his new position and Justin had sketched madly of course.  But by and large they left the reality and the worry of home behind them and had greatly enjoyed their time away.



When they arrived back at the loft there were several messages - from Justin's mother wanting to know how the holiday went, from Michael wanting to know if they were back, from Lindsay wishing them Merry Christmas and saying Gus had a present for each of them, and from Carl saying he had received several more of the letters and wanted to talk to them before Brian's swearing in ceremony.  That one brought them both back to reality with a thundering crash.



Brian dialed Carl's number at home and got an answering machine.  He left a message saying they were back and could be reached at the loft.  Justin was in the bedroom unpacking. He already had a mountain of clothes for the laundry when Brian went up to join him.



"Did you answer all the messages?" Justin asked.



"Your mother called.  I didn't answer that one," Brian said with a smirk.



"I heard.  I'll call her later."



"I don't really want to talk to anybody just yet.  I'm still on vacation."



"It was great, Brian.  I wish it didn't have to end."



"It doesn't just yet," Brian said backing Justin towards the pile of dirty clothes.



"What are you doing?"



"Just … foolin' around."



"Oh?"  Justin had intended to say something else but his mouth was currently occupied by Brian's tongue.  He felt his shirt come up and Brian released him long enough for it to disappear over his head. Immediately his mouth was recaptured and Brian began to slide his pants down over his hips.



"Ummm," he moaned.  "We need to clean up this mess."



"Later," Brian said and pushed Justin back onto the pile of laundry on the bed.  He pulled Justin's jeans off his feet and quickly got rid of his own clothes. He grabbed behind Justin's knees and pushed them up and out so that he had full access to Justin's cock, balls and hole.  "Delicious," he said, his eyes full of lust. He pulled the boy slightly toward him so that his ass was on the highest point of the pile of laundry. "Lie back," he ordered. Justin did as he was told finding his head was quite a bit lower than the rest of him.  Brian's hands slid down to his ankles again forcing them gently up and out indicating he wanted Justin to keep them there. Justin linked his hands behind his knees almost standing on his head.



"Comfy?" Brian asked with a smirk.



"Not exactly," Justin admitted.  "What are you going to do?"



Brian did not answer.  His face was buried between Justin's legs.  His tongue licked across the pucker, along the sensitive flesh leading to the boy's balls, all over the heavy sack and up and down Justin's thickening shaft.  The boy whimpered as Brian began to make his way back, ending with his tongue embedded in Justin's hole, and ripping a cry of surprise and pleasure from the boy's lips.  He repeated the same route several times, each time increasing pressure on Justin's cock and balls and delving deeper with his tongue. Justin thrashed around beneath him.



"Fuck, Brian!" Justin finally protested.  "Pick one! I can't stand it anymore!"



Brian's own cock stood out from his body ready for action.  He slid on a condom and lubed it. With one decisive stroke he imbedded his cock in Justin's ass.  The boy yelled partially in pain but more in surprise.



"Fuck, Brian!  Take it easy."



"I'm just reliving our vacation.  Remember the balcony," Brian said with a smirk.  He stayed still allowing Justin to accustom himself to the forceful penetration.



Justin giggled in spite of himself.  He remembered the chaise on the balcony and some of the things they had done on it.



"I see you know what I'm referring to.  Feel better now?"



"Much," Justin grinned bucking up against Brian.



The man took that as his signal to continue.  He pounded into the luscious ass gradually pushing Justin down the pile of clothes until his head rested on the ledge around the bed.  Just as Justin thought he might go over the edge he felt Brian grab his cock and pull in time with his stokes. In moments they were both coming and coming.



Brian kind of toppled off the pile against the suitcase still on the bed.  Justin struggled to sit up, then just gave up and lay with his legs still up in the air.  He needed to recover a bit first.



Suddenly there was pounding on the loft door.



"Shit!" Brian said wondering who even knew they were there.  He pulled on some sweat pants and headed down to the door after pulling Justin to his feet.



When he slid back the door, he exclaimed, "Carl, what the fuck are you doing here?"



"I got your message," said the police detective.  "I need to talk to you."



"Why?  What's going on?" Brian asked suddenly worried.



Justin came down from the bedroom in sweats as well.  "Hi, Carl," he said.



"I hope I didn't interrupt anything," Carl said with an embarrassed grin.



"We were done," Brian said with a smirk.  "So what's the scoop?"



"I picked up a bunch more letters while you were gone," Carl explained.  "This is the worst one." He handed a sheet of paper to Brian. Justin came to look over his shoulder.  It said: "Die Fag! I'll be happy to help you!"



"Jesus!" Justin reacted.  Brian looked paler, but said nothing.



Carl began, "After you left, the messages were pretty similar for a few days.  Then they started calling you a fag and a homo. The messages got more sinister and this is the latest, a pretty blatant threat."



"What can we do?" Justin asked.



"Have you selected any type of bodyguards yet?"



Brian said, "I spoke to a couple of fags who are built like Ben and seemed pretty interested in protecting me."



"That sounds good.  Hire them right away.  Don't go out alone. The swearing in is day after tomorrow.  Then the police can get involved too."



"What about Stockwell?" Brian asked.



"He knows.  I've shown him some of the letters.  He has to protect you."



"I bet he loves that."



"I don't give a fuck what he likes.  I told him about the letters, and that makes it his responsibility to protect you.



"Good one, Carl," Justin said.



Carl gave him a funny grin.  "Be careful and let me know if you get more of these tomorrow.  If this guy doesn't want you to be mayor he may act in the next two days.  Oh, and see if you can get the front door of this building fixed. I walked right in.  What kind of security is that?"



"Thanks, Carl," Brian said.  The detective was already out the door.  Brian pulled it closed behind him and locked it.



"It didn't take long for reality to rear its ugly head, did it?" Justin asked.



Brian shook his head in response.  "I need a drink." He went into the kitchen and poured them each a Beam.



"Can you call those bodyguard guys tonight?" Justin asked with a frown.



"I guess," Brian replied.  "Fuck! I thought winning the election was the hard part."



Brian paced behind the counter running his fingers through his hair.



"We've always known there were people who hated us," Justin said.



"Yeah, like Stockwell."



"And lots of people who think we're perverts."



"Then how did I get elected?"



"There's not that many bigots out there, but it only takes one."



"What am I going to do?" Brian asked really bewildered as to how to proceed.



"Call those guys and get them over here.  Tomorrow you call Charles. I bet he knows a thing or two about security running a multi-national company.  Right now, come to bed and I promise to make you feel oh so much better." Justin wiggled his butt suggestively as he walked up the steps to the bedroom.



Brian downed the rest of his drink and went to call his bodyguards before he followed Justin up the steps.

Chapter 2 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 2 *

Chuck and Phydeau sat on the white Moda couch staring at Brian and Justin.



"So," Brian said trying to sound matter of fact, "do the salary and working requirements fit what you were expecting?"



"Better than I hoped for," Chuck said.



Phydeau grunted.



"Does that mean he agrees too?" Justin asked looking warily at Phydeau who was clad in leather from head to toe, complete with the appropriate dog collar around his neck.



"Yeah," Chuck explained.  "He's just not very talkative."



"We don't need him to talk," Brian said.  "I need him to follow me around and make sure that no one gets close enough to do me injury."



"We can handle that, Brian.  And may I add that it's nice to have a gay mayor."



"Thanks," Brian replied hardly knowing how to respond.  "But first I have to live long enough to get sworn in. Do you guys have suits?"


Brian surveyed the two who were both definitely into leather.  They needed a more subtle attire to attend City Hall and accompany Brian to functions.



Chuck said, "I've done bodyguard work before, Brian, and so has Phy.  We both know how to dress and remain unobtrusive."



Justin looked at the muscle bound brute and found himself surprised that the man knew the word unobtrusive, let alone how to use it in the right context.  The idea of him being unobtrusive in any crowd seemed highly improbable. He heard Chuck chuckle.



"Don't let our appearances fool you," the man said.  "We do know what we're doing."



"You better," Justin said seriously.  "Brian has been getting threatening letters.  They say he will never be mayor. Since the swearing in ceremony is day after tomorrow, the next couple of days could be the most dangerous."



"We know the story," Chuck said.  "One of us will be outside this building anytime you are in here, Brian.  When you go out in public, both of us will be nearby."



"Here's my itinerary up to the inaugural," Brian said handing Chuck a sheet of paper.



"Got it," Chuck said scanning the paper quickly.  "Come on, Phy, we better get started. If you change anything on this schedule, or suddenly need to go out for beer, let us know.  This is my cell phone number, and Phy's is on there too." He handed a card to Brian. "Call if anything out of the ordinary happens."



The two men made their way to the door, shook hands with Brian and Justin and went down the stairs.



"Jesus, Brian, do you think Phy even knows how to talk?"



"Yeah, he talks a lot when he comes."



"Fuck!  You haven't?  You didn't?"



Brian had a silly little grin on his face as he nodded.



"Both of them?" Justin asked already knowing the answer.



"Look," Brian said seriously, "they know what they're doing.  Both of them are very good bodyguards."



"They fucking better be!" Justin retorted.



Brian closed the loft door and turned to find himself enveloped in Justin's arms.  "What?" he asked kissing the top of Justin's head.



"I'm worried, Brian."



"I am too, but we can't dwell on it to the exclusion of everything else."



"I know, but this was supposed to be the fun part, your crowning moment," Justin said.



"I'm enough of a queen.  I don't need a coronation.  I'll be sworn in and everything will go along fine after that."



"Since when did anything involving you ever go along fine?" Justin asked with a grin.



"Well … then, it will just have to go along however it turns out."



"Are you channeling Winnie the Pooh," Justin asked with a giggle.  Brian made a face. "Come on, Pooh. Let's go to bed," Justin said taking Brian's hand.



They trundled off up the steps to more private moments in the Hundred Acre Wood.



                                                                -----



Brian stepped out the front door of the loft building.  He glanced up and down the street. Everything seemed to be normal, nothing out of place.  He looked for Chuck or Phydeau but didn't see either of them. He hoped they were just being unobtrusive, and that was why he didn't spot them.  Justin came out the door behind him.



"Did you get them?" Brian asked.



Justin held up a couple more of the threatening letters that had appeared today.  They were going downtown to see Carl Horvath about them. "I got the envelopes too," Justin said.



They started across the street to the Jeep when they heard a screech of tires.  They both turned to see a black sedan streaking towards them. Before they could move or think what to do a parked car suddenly veered out in front of the oncoming black sedan.  The black car swerved to miss the other car giving Brian and Justin time to dash out of the way and reach the sidewalk and safety. They immediately grabbed each other in a hug, gasping for breath, and needing support for their shaky knees.  The black sedan sped away down the street.



"Are you guys okay?" Chuck asked running up beside them.



"Yeah, I think so," Brian said cautiously.  "Was that you in the car that pulled out?"



"Yeah.  As soon as I heard the tires squeal, I figured I better block the path to you."



"Good thinking," Brian said.  "Did you get a license plate number?"



"Yeah," Chuck said shaking his head.  "The car had plates, but my guess is it will turn out to be stolen."



"You okay, Justin?" Brian asked realizing that the trembling he could feel wasn't his own any longer.



"Christ, Brian, we both could have been killed."



"But we weren't, thanks to these guys," Brian said nodding to Chuck and Phydeau who had joined him.  "We better let Carl know about this new development."



"Yeah," Chuck said, "somebody just upped the ante.  Why don't you get in our car and we'll chauffeur you to the police station?"



"That sounds good to me," Justin said giving an attempt at a smile, and Brian nodded in agreement.



                                                               -----



Brian and Justin sat on the other side of Carl's desk.  They were waiting for him to return. They had told him about their narrow escape from the black sedan and had given him the latest letters.  He had gone to check on a few things.



"I'm thinking of quitting," Brian stated suddenly.



"No, you're not," Justin said firmly.



"But … that car could have killed you, killed both of us."



"But it didn't.  I'm a fatalist, Brian.  If we were meant to die, I'd have been dead after the bashing or the car would have hit me just now.  That didn’t happen. You're meant to be mayor, Brian. I know it."



How could anyone argue with that face and that sincerity?  Brian leaned over and brushed his lips across Justin's. His tongue licked the bottom one as it passed across.



Carl cleared his throat behind them and they jumped apart.  "Be careful, you two," Carl said seriously. "There are a lot of people who would be offended by what you were just doing."



"Christ, Carl, they know I'm gay," Brian protested.



"Knowing it intellectually and seeing it on display are two very different things."



"Do they expect me to be celibate?" Brian asked sarcastically.



"They don't care, but they don't want it out in the open."



"Fuck them, whoever 'them' is!" Brian reacted.



"I'm just trying to be sensible about this, Brian.  Tell it the way it is."



"We understand," Justin said seeing the anger rising in Brian.  "We'll be careful," and he gave Brian a warning look. "So what did you find out?"



Carl explained, "The car was reported stolen about two hours before the incident.  We haven't found it yet, but there probably won't be any prints when we do. The letters came from the same area as all the others, based on the postmark."



"What area?" Justin asked.



"Near your sister's," Carl said looking at Brian.



"Jesus Christ, you're not implying that she has something to do with this, are you?"



"No, I don't think that, but she lives in a blue collar area and she hates fags.  I'm sure many of her neighbors feel the same way."



"I don't get why anyone would go to such lengths," Justin said.



"Hate is a powerful emotion," Carl replied.  "It causes people to do crazy things. I've arranged for extra security at the swearing in.  Your bodyguards seem to be competent, based on what they did this morning."



"They'll be with me at all times," Brian said.



"Good.  Let's hope everything goes as planned, and that whoever was driving that car will realize that they have failed.



"See you at City Hall tomorrow," Brian said shaking Carl's hand.


"You're going to be a fine mayor, Brian," Carl said sincerely.



                                                               -----



Chuck and Phydeau drove Brian and Justin back to the loft.  The two bodyguards made the other two promise not to leave the loft until they were ready to go to the Inaugural the next morning.  They felt they could best protect them in their own home.



Brian and Justin rode the elevator up to the loft in silence.  When the door closed behind them, Justin knew Brian was ready to explode.  He knew he would get the brunt of it, but there was nothing he could do except listen and be sympathetic.



"What the fuck kind of screwed up place do we live in, when the new mayor is a virtual prisoner in his own fucking home?" Brian began his tirade.



"Brian, you're not a prisoner," Justin reasoned with him.



"I am so!  I can't leave here until tomorrow morning and then I have to have a couple of bears following me around.  I feel like a fucking two year old."



"Once the swearing in is over things will calm down."



"That's if I live long enough to get sworn in!"



"Don't say that.  Of course you will."



"And who says it will stop after that?  They could still come after me, or after you."



"They could, but the swearing in will be the first big hurdle.  You're breaking new ground. I'm so proud of you."



Brian's anger slipped away as he listened to Justin state his pride in what Brian had accomplished.  "You think I can do this?" he asked.



"I've told you that I know you can."



Brian took a step towards his lover and suddenly they were in each other's arms, holding on tight.  "I was so scared this morning," Brian said. "You could have been killed. I don't want to put you in danger."



"I know you don't, and I'll be fine.  I have to give Chuck and Phydeau credit.  They do seem to know what they are doing."



"But if they mess up for even a second, something really bad could happen."



"I refuse to live my life in fear, Brian.  I wasn't afraid to come out at school and I'm not going to be afraid to be seen with you … when you're mayor."  Justin stressed the word 'when' making Brian hear how sure he was that that event would happen.



"You're either the bravest person I know or the dumbest."



"Probably both," Justin joked.



"You're also the sexiest."



"You think so?"


"Um hmm."



Brian's nose was nuzzling behind Justin's ear and his tongue was licking along the tender spots on his throat.



"So, Mr. Prisoner, do you think you and your cell mate here can come up with something interesting to do for the rest of the day?" Justin asked.



"I'm already up," Brian groaned feeling the growing tightness in his pants, "and I want to come.  But I do have to polish up my speech." He stopped chewing on Justin's ear like he was thinking about new things to add to his inaugural address.



"Later," Justin stated.  He took Brian's hand and led him up the steps to the bedroom.



"Shower?" Brian asked.



"Sounds good."



They made their way to the bathroom where they quickly undressed each other.  As they stepped into the shower Brian took Justin's arm and pulled him close against him.  He ran his hand across Justin's chest stopping over his heart and feeling the sure and steady beat from within.



"We will be all right, won't we?" Brian asked softly.



"We'll be just fine."



"I couldn't do this without you," Brian admitted.



"You don't have to.  I'll be right there with you all the way."



"Good.  That's exactly what I need."



"I'd say you need something else at the moment."  Justin's hand closed around Brian's semi-erect penis and began stroking.



Brian groaned.  "You might be right."  His mouth found Justin's and the ensuing kiss left them both breathless and reeling.  "Maybe the shower wasn't such a good idea. You leave me weak in the knees. I could fall and crack my head open, be in a coma for weeks."



As soon as the words were out of his mouth Brian realized what he had said.  His face turned pale. He reached over and shut off the shower. "This was a mistake.  Everything's one big fucked up mistake." He stepped out of the shower grabbing a towel and quickly drying off.



"Brian," Justin said following him out of the shower.



Brian had already gone to the bedroom.  Justin grabbed a towel and dried off. He heard Brian rummaging around in the bedroom.  He sighed in frustration. Sometimes Brian was one bugger to live with.



Justin wrapped the towel around his hips and went into the bedroom.  Brian wasn't there. He glanced around and heard the loft door slide shut.  "Fuck!" Justin reacted. He raced across the loft and threw open the door. Brian must have taken the stairs.  "Brian," he yelled down from the landing. "Brian, come back! You're not supposed to leave without telling Chuck.  Come back, please."



He thought he heard the click of the front door far below.  He raced back into the apartment to find the card with Chuck's cell phone number.  He said a quick prayer as he punched in the numbers.



                                                                -----



Brian strode down the street seething inside.  He had no idea where he was going. He just had to get away.  How could he have been so stupid and insensitive to say that to Justin?  He shouldn't be mayor. He couldn't control anything, let alone a big city.  His life was a fucking disaster. He didn't have the wherewithal to be mayor.  He had been stupid to think that he could do this. He had got caught up in the battle, in the excitement of the contest.  He could outwit his opponents and he had. He could be smarter and craftier than any of the others and he had. He could verbally out-debate them and he had.  But what had that gotten him? He was getting threatening letters, a car tried to run him down, and he was a virtual prisoner in his own home. He didn't want to be mayor anymore.  He'd had enough of this shit. Tomorrow he would resign. Let some other poor schmo have all the fun that went with being mayor of fucking Pittsburgh.



He turned a corner and gave the wall beside him a good kick.  He jumped back as a wave of pain shot up his leg. "Fuck! At least I don't think I've broken my foot," Brian snorted to himself as he took a few tentative steps.  The pain eased off after a minute.



He somehow felt better now that he had made the decision to quit trying to be mayor.  He could go back to being unemployed and pathetic. Life would be much simpler.



Having made that decision, Brian looked around realizing that he had paid no attention to where he was going.  He heard voices and footsteps nearby, and suddenly he knew he had made a big mistake.



"Kinney!" a voice called out.



Brian stopped dead in his tracks.  Slowly he turned to see three men approaching in what he could only describe as a menacing fashion.



"I told you in my letters that you would never be mayor.  Tomorrow you'll be in the hospital, not at your inaugural," one of the men said.



"Fucking fag!" one of the others added.



Brian had a fleeting sense that the Rage comic had come to life, only he was going to get the crap beat out of him, not J.T.  And there was no Rage to rescue him. He backed up against the wall and prepared to fight for his life.

Chapter 3 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 3 *

The fist crashed into his gut and Brian went down, all air forced out of his body.  He felt a boot connect with his ribs and flashes of his encounter with Craig Taylor ran through his mind.  He had closed his eyes in pain, but suddenly there were no more kicks to the ribs or punches to his face.



Slowly he opened his eyes and saw Chuck and Phydeau pummeling a couple of men on the sidewalk near where he lay.  One man struggled to his feet and took off. The other two were under the control of Brian's bodyguards.



As he managed to get to a sitting position, Brian heard sirens approaching and policemen emptied out of a couple of squad cars and took charge of the men his bodyguards had been holding in submission.



Chuck came over to Brian.  "Are you hurt?" he asked looking very concerned.



"Help me the fuck up," Brian ordered.



Chuck offered him a hand and Brian felt Phydeau move around behind him and help to raise his body off the sidewalk.  Brian grimaced in pain. He probably had either a broken or badly bruised set of ribs. At least they hadn't beaten his face to a pulp.



"Let's get an ambulance," Brian heard Chuck say to Phydeau.



"No!" Brian responded emphatically.  "I'm not seriously hurt and I don't want to go to any fucking hospital."



"But you should get checked out," Chuck insisted.



"He's right, Brian," Carl Horvath said as he had just gotten out of his car.



"How did you get here?"



"Somebody at the station alerted me that a 911 call had come in involving the mayor elect, so I thought I better follow up."



"Did you call them?" Brian asked Chuck.



He nodded.  "As soon as we saw what was happening we placed the call.  Justin had called to alert us that you had left the loft, but Phydeau was already trailing you.  He stayed back until he realized you were being followed by that bunch. One got away."



"We'll get him," Carl said.  "His buddies will give him up before we're through with them."



"Do you want us to take you to the hospital?" Chuck asked.



"I told you I'm not going to the hospital.  Take me home."



"Okay, if you're sure," Chuck said shaking his head at the stubborn man.



"This squad car will take you and the mayor," Carl volunteered speaking to Chuck rather than Brian.



Brian and Chuck got into the back of the car and were driven the short distance back to the loft.



"I'm sorry we didn't get there in time to prevent them from hitting you," Chuck said.



"I'm glad you got there when you did.  I shouldn't have left the loft without telling you."



"Fucking right you shouldn't have!"



Brian gave a little snort.  He wasn't going to get much sympathy from this source.  And Justin … Justin was going to kill him for running out like that.  He had thought he was in pain a few minutes earlier. Justin would have him by the balls.



They pulled up in front of the loft.  Brian gingerly got out of the car holding his arm against his tender ribs.  "Thanks," he said to the officer driving.



"Good luck tomorrow, Mr. Mayor.  You got my vote," the man behind the steering wheel replied.



Brian tried to smile in response as the car pulled away.



"You're going to stay put now, right?" Chuck asked.  "I don't want to see you again until tomorrow afternoon when we go to the swearing in ceremony."



"Deal," Brian said.



"Good," Chuck replied and turned to go position himself where he could keep an eye on the building until Phydeau came back.



Brian went inside and took the elevator up to the loft.  As soon as he pulled on the door, he felt it open and Justin had him around the waist hugging him tight.  Brian let out a strangled groan of pain. Justin immediately let go.



"You're hurt," he said.  "What happened? Do we need to go to the hospital?"



"No!" Brian stated again.  "I'm not going to the hospital.  I'm no worse off than I was after your father got through with me."



"Jesus Christ, Brian, what happened?"



"I got ambushed.  Three guys tried to kick the shit out of me.  Wanted to put me in the hospital, but Chuck and Phydeau stopped them."



"Thank God!  Did they catch them?"



"Carl arrived and two of them were taken into custody.  One got away, but Carl figures they'll catch him too."



"It wasn't anybody we know was it?" Justin asked wondering if his father or Chris Hobbs had anything to do with it.  "It wasn't somebody from Stockwell?" That thought had just occurred to him.



"I don't think Stockwell's that stupid.  Even if he had sent them, there would be no way to connect them to him.  They looked like some rednecks who got their knickers in a knot over having a gay mayor."



"I hope that's all it was," Justin said.  "I don't like to think there's a conspiracy to prevent you from being mayor."



"There probably is, but those sons of bitches aren't going to win!" Brian declared.



Justin smiled at him.



"The irony is that just before they started using me as a punching bag, I had decided to quit once and for all.  Now I'm going to make fucking sure they have a gay mayor and they're going to learn to love it!"



"That's the stubborn asshole I know and love," Justin grinned at him.



"Help me get out of these clothes and get an ice pack for my ribs."



"Christ, they worked you over pretty good.  You've got a little cut above your eye too."


Brian groaned.  "And I wanted to be a pretty face for the cameras tomorrow."



"You are a pretty face.  You have the best face in the whole world, and you're all right," Justin told him, risking a tentative hug as he helped Brian to the bedroom.



He helped Brian out of his clothes and eased him onto the bed.  A bruise was already forming on Brian's side. Justin retrieved an ice pack from the freezer, wrapped it in a towel and applied it to Brian's ribs.  He brought some antiseptic and a band aid from the bathroom to apply to Brian's temple.



As he worked on Brian's face, the man could see the emotions on Justin's face change.  He was afraid he knew what was coming.



"You know," Justin said slowly, "if you ever run out again like that I'm going to kick in the other side of your ribs."



Brian groaned.  "I'm … sorry."



"Don't be sorry.  You don't believe in sorry anyway.  Just never do that again. I was so scared when I realized you were gone."


"Phydeau was following me.  He saved my ass until Chuck arrived and then the police."



"Those guys are pretty good," Justin admitted.  "At first I didn't think they had a brain between them, but they really seem to be on the ball."



"They are.  Even Carl thinks so."



"You're not leaving the apartment until we go to the ceremony," Justin stated flatly.



"I already promised Chuck that."



"Good, now rest and maybe later I'll help relieve some of your tension," Justin promised with a grin.



Brian knew he had been forgiven for his lapse of judgment.  He would be mayor of fucking Pittsburgh. Nobody was going to stop him, and he would have Justin by his side while he did it.



                                                               -----



Brian had got some rest after Justin put him to bed.  He loaded up on Tylenol and managed to sleep for a few hours.  He woke with a throbbing pain in his side. He shifted around trying to find a comfortable position.



"Are you all right?" Justin asked sleepily from the other side of the bed.



"No."



"What's wrong?"



"I hurt."



"Want some more Tylenol?"


"Sure, but I'd rather have a large shot of morphine."



"Sorry, but they've taken away my drug privileges at the pharmacy."



"Tylenol it is then," Brian conceded.



Justin got up and went into the bathroom returning with a glass of water and some more pills.  Brian swallowed them and lay back waiting for the effect of the pills to take hold. Justin slid back into bed staying at the very edge of his side so as not to jostle Brian.



"What are you doing way over there?" Brian asked.



"Trying to keep from hurting you."



"Come here," Brian ordered gently.



Justin slid closer resting his hand on Brian's chest but not venturing any further.



"I have sore ribs.  I'm not going to break in half," Brian said annoyed that Justin felt he was too fragile to touch.



"I know, but you need your rest for tomorrow."



"I need something else more," Brian told him taking Justin's hand and placing it on the large bulge under the covers.



Justin grinned at Brian, rubbing up and down the man's already stiff cock.  "Jesus, Brian, you should be in the hospital, and here you are with a hard-on."



"So what are you going to do about it?"


"Umm, I could jerk you off," Justin suggested.



"I'd rather have you ride my cock.  I know you love to do that."



"But I might hurt you," Justin said unsure this was a good idea.



"I'll take my chances."



"Okay," Justin agreed reaching for a condom and lube.  He carefully slipped it on Brian's dick and lubed it up.  He allowed Brian to squirt lube in his hole and open him with his fingers.



When Justin positioned himself over Brian's cock, the man looked into the blue eyes and he felt the love Justin was offering him.  "You are … very special to me, Justin," Brian said feeling very vulnerable.



"Well I hope so."



"I mean it."



"I know you do," Justin admitted, but he also knew that Brian still couldn't say he loved him.  He sighed just a bit as he impaled himself on Brian's rigid dick. He did his best to make the ride pleasurable and not too painful for his man.



                                                            -----



Brian and Justin had awoken wrapped around each other.  Brian was stiff and had an ugly bruise on his side. The pain was considerably less than it had been the night before.  They decided he probably had bruised not broken ribs. They would be tender, but a lot easier to deal with than broken ones.



Justin had given Brian a blowjob to relieve his morning woody and Brian had managed to kiss Justin and jerk him off without too much pain for himself.  They had spent most of the morning in bed talking about what the rest of this day held in store for them. They had finally arisen, showered and began trying on clothes to wear to the inaugural.



They were to be picked up in a limo and driven to City Hall soon.  Brian had agonized over how he looked. Could you still see the cut on his forehead?  It had mostly closed up and Justin had gone out to buy some makeup to cover the bruising around the spot.



He had called Chuck first to make sure it was all right that he left the loft.  The whole time he was in the store, and there and back, he never saw anything of Chuck or Phydeau, yet they had promised that one of them would be nearby.  These guys could really be unobtrusive, almost invisible.



The other problem was what to wear.  Justin was sure that Brian had tried on every suit that he owned, and that hadn't been an easy task.  With his sore ribs it was a slow process putting on and taking off clothes. They did their best to keep his pain to a minimum.  Finally they had decided on the black suit only to have Brian change his mind fifteen minutes later. Ultimately they had agreed on the dark blue one with a gray shirt and tie.  Justin told Brian that he better not change his mind again or he would be going to the fucking ceremony naked.



Both of them wished that the ceremony had been in the morning.  The waiting was the worst part. Brian would be sworn in at four p.m., and then they would proceed to a downtown hotel where there was a dinner and dance to follow.



Brian got more and more testy as the day wore on.  He had been working on his speech, and Justin was pretty sure that he had made some major changes in it.  When he asked about it, Brian told him to wait and he would hear it along with everybody else. Not wanting to get into an argument Justin shut up and left Brian to work on the speech alone.



They had spent much less time on what Justin would wear.  He really only had two suits, and only his blue one was really acceptable for this occasion.  Brian had told him that he wished they could go out shopping. He wanted to get Justin the most spectacular suit to wear.



Justin was happy to hear Brian say that, but they both knew that they weren't going anywhere.



About three o'clock they showered and started getting dressed.  With all the primping and selecting of shirts and cufflinks and shoes for Brian it was well after three-thirty by the time they were ready.  They looked at each other and decided that they looked pretty damn good. Brian said if the limo didn't get there soon he was going to rip Justin's suit off and have his way with him.



Justin giggled, but was happy to hear the buzzer announcing the car had arrived.  The driver said he would be waiting out front when they came down.



Justin called Chuck's cell phone and told him they were leaving.  Chuck said he and Phy were nearby and would be following in their car.  With a last straightening of each other's tie, they got into the elevator and rode down to what fate had in store for them.



The driver was someone neither of them had seen before but the limo bore the logo of the City of Pittsburgh.  The driver held the door as they climbed in. Immediately they realized that they were not alone. Seated in the reverse corner so that he was riding backwards was Chief Stockwell.



"What the fuck are you doing in here?" Brian asked.



"I'm Chief of Police, and I'm accompanying the new mayor to his inaugural."



"I never heard anything about this," Brian said.  "Stop the car!" he ordered.



The car kept on going.



"The driver takes his orders from me," Stockwell said.  "I want to say a few things to you before this ceremony takes place."



"Like what?" Brian asked realizing they were trapped and he would have to listen.



"I can't believe that you actually got elected.  I should be mayor," Stockwell began.



"Well, you're not and I am," Brian retorted.



"I heard about the attack on you and the threatening letters.  I hope you don't think that's all over because they arrested a couple of guys."



"What do you mean?" Brian asked suddenly feeling the old fear creep back into his system.



"There are many more people who feel the way those guys do.  There will be others who will come after you. The police may not always be able to protect you," Stockwell added with a sneer.



"They haven't done such a great job of protecting me so far," Brian replied.  "And in an hour or two I'm still going to be mayor."



Stockwell grimaced at that answer.  "I have to hand it to you. You are one arrogant son of a bitch."



"Thanks," Brian said sullenly.



"You fucking fag!"  Stockwell could contain himself no longer.  "You will get yours one of these days! Do you hear me?"



"Yeah," Brian replied.  "I'm hanging on your every word."



He felt Justin spread his fingers through his as they rested on the seat of the limo.  They squeezed to show his support.



Justin could see Stockwell's blood pressure going up, but he said nothing further.  He almost hoped the man had a coronary or a stroke, anything to get him out of their lives.



They rode the rest of the way in silence.  Brian knew if looks could kill he would have been dead many times over by the end of the ride.



As they pulled up in front of City Hall, Brian said to no one in particular, "Note to self.  Get a driver who can keep vermin out of the official limousine." Then he opened the door and stepped out before Stockwell could respond.  Justin followed behind him.

Chapter 4 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 4 *

Brian glanced around as he stepped from the limousine.  There were some protesters off to one side. He saw a couple of placards that denounced homosexuality and others that stated that Pittsburgh did not need a gay mayor.  These were pretty tame compared to the letters he had been receiving.



As he turned to look the other way there was a small cluster of people who began to cheer.  He smiled in spite of himself. He had begun to wonder how he ever got elected when so many people seemed to hate him.  He had almost forgotten about those who liked him and had voted for him. He gave them a little wave, grabbed Justin's hand and entered City Hall.



The swearing in would take place in the main council room, a venue big enough to hold Brian and all the councilors who were being sworn in, plus their families and friends in the spectator galleries surrounding the main floor.



As Brian stepped into the Council Room he was greeted by many of the councilors and the chief of protocol, Geoffrey Cheeks.  The man ushered him as quickly as possible to his seat in the center of the new Council for the City of Pittsburgh.



Justin gave Brian's hand a squeeze and then withdrew it as he followed the chief of protocol to the seats along the side where the spouses of the councilors were seated.  Justin felt funny sitting with the spouses. He wasn't a spouse, and he frowned as he realized that he wasn't really anything, at least not in the eyes of these people around him.  He squirmed uncomfortably in his chair and glanced at a middle aged woman who sat next to him.



"It's all right, dear," the woman said.  "You'll get used to it after awhile."



"I will?" Justin asked.



"It gets easier attending these functions the more you do it," she said with a little sigh.  "My husband has been a councilor for almost twenty years. That's him over there," she said pointing to a middle aged man with a small mustache and big hands.  He was talking animatedly to someone next to him. "I'm Maria Jankowski," she said and offered Justin her hand.



He shook it, happy to have somebody to talk to.  "I'm Justin Taylor," he replied.



"I know.  You've been in the papers quite a lot lately.  You and Mr. Kinney have caused quite a stir. I hope you continue to shake things up.  This old town could use some young blood and some new ideas."



Justin smiled at her.  It was nice to have someone who looked forward to their contributions, instead of all the criticism Brian had been receiving lately.  "Thanks," Justin said sincerely, "I think Brian has some great ideas."



Justin glanced around and saw Deb and Vic up in the gallery.  He waved to them and Deb swung her hands over her head making sure that Justin and everybody else saw her.  Justin glanced at Brian who gave a wry smile. They both knew what Deb was like, and that was all right.



Justin's eyes slid down the row and he saw Emmett next to Vic.  He wondered where Michael and Ben were. Maybe they had to work, but Justin would have thought they would be there for Brian.  Charles Langdon sat next to Emmett, and Emmett seemed to be talking his ear off.



The swearing in ceremony was about to begin.  All the councilors, both newly elected and returning, were asked to stand and they repeated their oath of office, raising their right hand as they did so.  Brian had asked if he would be required to swear on a Bible and was told that they no longer did that in deference to members of council who believed in other religions.  That suited Brian just fine.



When the councilors were duly sworn in, it was Brian's turn.  He rose and walked to the podium. Justin listened to his clear sexy voice repeat the oath of office and his heart swelled with pride.  Everyone applauded once the oath was administered. Now it was Brian's turn to make his first speech as mayor. Justin felt himself tense up in anticipation.  He didn't really know what Brian was going to say, and he wanted it to be good. He wanted Brian to start off on the right foot.



"Ladies and Gentlemen and Distinguished Councilmen and Women," he began.  "Citizens of Pittsburgh who are watching this on TV, or who will see the ten second sound bite on the six o'clock news tonight."  Chuckles were heard around the council room. "I am a man of few words so this will be brief. I also believe that actions speak louder than words."  He glanced at Justin, and Justin understood the double meaning there. "I'm not going to lay out my great roadmap for the future of Pittsburgh, because quite frankly I don't have one.



"During the campaign I made education a priority and I intend to follow up on that.  I want Pittsburgh to have the best and most affordable schooling and daycare of any city in the United States.



"I want to continue the initiatives that have already been started as far as recycling and conservation go.  Over the last few years Pittsburgh has cleaned up its neighborhoods and revitalized the waterfront along the rivers.  That must continue.



"I hope to attract new business and continue to create jobs for the citizens of this city.



"I want every neighborhood to be a place of safety and pride, and I mean every neighborhood, not just those that someone decides are worthy.  Every citizen has the right to a decent place to live, free from harassment." Brian stared right at Jim Stockwell who sat in the first row on the other side from Justin.  Stockwell had to glance away after a moment.



"I can't do any of these things on my own, so I am asking Council and every citizen to do their part.  I would like to see a prosperous Pittsburgh with citizens free of prejudice and willing to accept new challenges.



"I'm sure you all know by now that I am gay."  There was an outburst of laughter. "I am extremely flattered that so many of you found it in your hearts to vote for me and put your prejudices aside.  I hoped this would be a new beginning for everyone, but I have already had threats and a physical attack on my person." There were gasps from the audience.  Jim Stockwell seemed to shrink into his seat. "I have to admit that they scared me, but not enough to get rid of me." There was a loud round of applause following that statement.  "Some arrests have been made. I am bringing this to your attention today because I want those who think this way to know that they are not going to win. They are not going to force me out.  I am the duly elected mayor of Pittsburgh and I will carry out that function to the best of my ability." That earned Brian a standing ovation and cheers that Justin was sure were largely instigated by Debbie.



"Now when I screw up, as I'm sure I will, I hope you will remember how much you were just cheering."  Many chuckles followed that statement.



"Seriously though," Brian continued, "I don't want my sexuality to be the main issue.  There are much more important things to spend my time on now that I have been sworn in.  Hopefully these attacks will diminish once the everyday running of the city continues as it always has.  Hell isn't going to freeze over because you have a gay mayor; at least I hope it won't.



"I have one more thing to say.  There were a lot of people who helped me get here today and I want to thank them all and request their further aid.  There is one person who is most important to me and who, pardon the expression, worked his ass off during the campaign.  That's my life partner, Justin Taylor. I couldn't have done any of this without him."



There was a round of applause for Justin.  Debbie leaned over to Vic and said, "They have no idea just how much Justin's ass has to do with this."



Maria Jankowski squeezed Justin's arm and he beamed back at Brian.



"So, in conclusion, I want to thank those of you who supported me and I hope to prove to those of you who didn't, that you made a big mistake.



"Thank you all very much."


Another standing ovation followed.  That ended the televised portion of the swearing in.



Brian was immediately surrounded by the members of the Council.  Most wanted to know about the attack on him, as well as to congratulate him on his speech.  After several minutes Justin was able to make his way through the crowd and get near Brian. Brian gave him a hug, deciding not to make any more of a public display at that point.



"You done good," Justin said into his ear.



"You think so?" Brian asked with a happy grin on his face.



"That was an excellent speech.  Just right," Justin stated proudly.



"Thanks," Brian said, very pleased that Justin thought so.



"There's just one thing though."



"Oh, what's that?"


"There are much more important things to spend your time on than your sexuality?  Since when?" Justin asked with a twinkle in his eye.



"Well, you know us politicians.  We do take liberties with the truth."



"I thought so," Justin said with a little smirk.  "And here I thought my ass was going to get a rest for a change."



"You know you wouldn't like that one little bit," Brian said confidently.



"No, you're right.  I wouldn't." Justin gave him a little peck on the cheek and then realized where they were.  He glanced around to see many people staring at them. He could feel the blush rising to his cheeks when Debbie came pushing through the crowd and grabbed Brian around the neck in a hug that threatened to squeeze the life out of him.



"I am so proud of you, kiddo," she gushed.



"Easy, Deb," Brian said gently lifting her arms from around him.  Thank God she had grabbed his neck and not his chest. "I'm a little tender around the middle."



"Is that from the attack?" Deb asked concern written all over her face.  "What did they do to you? Why didn't you tell us?"



"I wasn't going to tell anyone, but then I decided that they weren't going to get away with this.  I needed to call them on it."



"Good for you!  But you didn't answer me.  Are you hurt bad?"



"Not really, Deb.  I'll be all right. They just kicked in my ribs a bit.  Seems to be a trend there somewhere."


"Does Carl know?"



"Yeah, he's helping me with it."



"What about that asshole Stockwell?"



"I don't think we better talk about him right now.  I should go find the protocol officer. I have to get to the hotel to stand in the fucking reception line before people start arriving.  You and Vic are coming, aren't you?"



"Of course we are.  I'm not missing a minute of this."  She kissed him with a loud smack on the cheek and went bustling off.



"What would we ever do without her?" Justin asked.



"The mind can't comprehend a world without Debbie," Brian replied only half meaning it as a joke.



They made their way over to the protocol officer who told them that their limo was outside and that he would meet them at the hotel in fifteen minutes.



"Come on," Brian said taking Justin's hand and leading him out the door.  Instead of heading out to the limo, Brian looked around and started back into the interior of the foyer.



"Jesus, Brian, you don't want me to blow you in the fucking washroom, do you?" Justin asked.



"That's not a bad idea," Brian replied, stopping in his tracks.  "No, you twat, I'm looking for Charles."



"Oh … sorry.  He's over there," Justin said spotting the man they were looking for.



Brian let go of Justin and went over to Charles.  The man broke away from the group he was talking to and Brian began whispering in his ear.  Charles nodded and went out the front door.



"What was that all about?" Justin asked coming up beside his partner.



"Let's find a washroom."



"You're kidding, right?" Justin asked knowing that he would refuse Brian nothing, but not wanting to take such a chance.



Just then Emmett came running up to them.  "That was a great speech, Brian."


"Thanks, I'm glad you liked it."



"I hope you'll keep me in mind when you throw some spectacular parties," Emmett hinted.



"Do you want an official title?" Brian teased him.



"Sure.  How about Party Consultant to the Fag Mayors of the World?"



"There are so many things wrong with that title that I don't know where to begin," Brian replied, "but I certainly will see if I can throw some business your way."



"Fabulous!"



"Are you coming to the hotel?" Justin asked.



"Of course.  I'm going with Deb and Vic.  I think Michael and Ben are going to meet us there."



"Why weren't they here?" Justin asked him.



Emmett looked like he was trying to think up a good reason.  "I don't really know," he said slowly.



"It doesn't matter," Brian replied, but Justin thought there was a hint of hurt in his voice.



"How come Linds and Mel aren't here?" Emmett asked.



"We talked about it, but I tried to keep them and Gus out of the limelight during the campaign, and they want to continue doing that."


"We better go, Brian," Justin said.  "See you at the hotel, Emmett."



They headed out to the limousine.  Some of the people who were there when they went in were still outside and cheered Brian as he came out.  The protesters had their own chorus of welcome. Brian went over to his supporters and shook a few hands. Justin waited by the limo feeling a bit like a fifth wheel.



The driver came around the car and opened the door for Justin.  Brian rejoined his partner looking the driver up and down. "That uniform looks good on you, Chuck," Brian said.



Justin took another look at the driver.  "Chuck? What happened to the other guy?"



"Mr. Langdon came and told me to get rid of him.  I took his uniform and he's got my suit. I better get it back."



"I'll see that you do," Brian said.  "You don't mind driving, do you?"



"Actually I think we should make this a permanent arrangement as part of my duties."



"It makes sense so that you are with me more of the time," said Brian.



"Let's get you guys to the hotel," Chuck said.



They climbed in the limo and were soon at the hotel.  They were both glad that Stockwell was nowhere to be seen.  The reception line was long and tedious, but Brian kept his cool and Justin stood staunchly beside him.  Finally they went in to dinner. Brian had thought they could sit with Deb and Vic, but his protocol officer showed him to the head table with other dignitaries.



"This is going to be one fucking long night," Brian whispered to Justin.



"Be good," Justin admonished as he sat down beside Brian.



The meal was passable and didn't drag on for too long.  There were a few speeches between courses, mostly welcoming the new mayor and council members.  Brian made a thank you speech at the end and they were ready for the dance.



The head table was moved aside and Brian and Justin went down to join Vic, Deb, Emmett and now Michael and Ben.  After hugs and more congratulations they all sat down around the one table. The protocol officer who Justin had found out was named Geoffrey Cheeks came over to their table.  He whispered in Brian's ear and Brian made a face. Geoffrey started away but Brian grabbed his arm and whispered something to him. The man raised his eyebrows, nodded, turned abruptly and hurried away.



"What was that all about?" Justin asked.



"Mr. Cheeks is keen to maintain tradition, so I agreed," Brian said.



"What tradition?"



"It seems that the mayor always has the first dance with his wife."



"What?"  Justin had a look of horror on his face.  "No, Brian, you didn't. We can't."



"After all we've been through we've earned that dance."



"No, no … we shouldn't."



"Who knows, you might even remember this one."



The master of ceremonies had just announced the first dance.  Brian stood and held his hand out to Justin. Justin shook his head.  He knew this would make more trouble.



"Come on, Sunshine.  Don't embarrass me."



Debbie nudged Justin and he reluctantly stood up.  "Let's just leave, Brian," he begged.



Brian took his hand and led him out to the dance floor.  Justin could hear gasps from some people and rumblings from others.



"I don't have a white scarf to put around your neck but let's pretend," and he brushed his hands along Justin's lapels like he was smoothing the scarf around his neck.  The DJ began playing "Save the Last Dance" as Geoffrey had informed him.



Brian assumed dance position and Justin placed his hands accordingly.  "I … I don't think we should do this," Justin said again.



"Don't think.  Just feel the music and follow me."



Brian began to move his feet and Justin followed his lead somewhat clumsily at first.



"Look at me, Justin.  Look in my eyes. Don't think about anything else."



Justin stared into the hazel eyes and he forgot about everyone else.  He forgot about everything else. There was just he and Brian moving together, effortlessly.  They slid around the floor, Brian twirling him and dipping him, and they laughed and enjoyed themselves.  Then Brian was picking him up and they were turning and turning, spinning and smiling at each other. And then Brian was kissing him passionately and he didn't care who saw.  It felt so good and Brian was with him, holding him and showing him off. It was everything he had ever wanted.



The song ended and the kiss ended and Brian was pulling him out of the room and people were applauding and Debbie was crying and he was crying and Brian was smiling at him and his heart was so full he was sure it was going to burst from his chest.

Chapter 5 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 5 *

"Brian," Justin said.  He felt himself drawn along behind Brian who had a viselike grip on his wrist.  He wasn't sure why they were rushing out of the ballroom. He wanted to savor their dance.  "Brian," he said again.



They had reached the lobby of the hotel.  "We're leaving," was Brian's only response.



"Sure, but why?"



"I wonder if Chuck is out front."  Brian started towards the front door.



"Brian, wait.  What happened? That dance was wonderful.  Is that how it was at the prom?"



"No."



"No?"



"I have to get out of here," Brian said looking around like someone was going to jump out and start kicking his ribs in again.  He pulled Justin outside and glanced around for the limo. Immediately Chuck appeared. He must have been waiting somewhere just outside the front doors.



"Leaving early, aren't you, Mr. Mayor?" he asked with a grin.



"Where's the fucking car?" Brian snapped back very ungraciously.



"Did something happen in there?" Chuck asked worry written on his face.



"He wants to go home," Justin said by way of explanation.



Chuck nodded.  "I'll get the car."



"Brian …" Justin tried once again.



"Don't.  Don't say another word until we're back at the loft."



Justin nodded.  He didn't know what was wrong with Brian but he would do as the man wished.  Once they were there he was going to get an explanation of this strange behavior.



The limo pulled up.  Brian yanked the door open and shoved Justin inside before Chuck could get out to assist them.  Brian climbed in and they took off. As they drove off Justin caught a glimpse of a worried looking Debbie who had just come out of the front doors of the hotel.



The ride to the loft was completed in silence.  Justin was a little bit afraid to say anything. He had rarely heard Brian speak so harshly to him.  The man seemed to be at a breaking point, and Justin didn't want to push him past it.



As soon as the car stopped, Brian shoved the door open.  Justin saw him wince in pain. His ribs, Justin thought. Has he hurt himself?  Was I too heavy when he was lifting me during the dance?



Brian got out and Justin followed close behind.  Chuck called to them, asking if they would be staying in for the rest of the night.  Brian nodded and they disappeared into the building.



Once they were inside the loft, Brian began ripping off his clothes.  "Fucking suit!" he griped and winced as he shrugged out of the jacket.  He pulled at his tie, unsuccessfully trying to rip it off. Finally he pulled it off over his head.  He yanked his shirt out and lost several buttons as he ripped it open.



"Brian…" Justin said softly.



Brian glared at him and continued with his shoes and pants.  He stalked up to the bedroom and reappeared in jeans with the usual top button undone.  He wore nothing else.



"Brian…" Justin said with a sigh.



The man brushed past him.  He went to the bar and poured a large glass of Beam.  He took several gulps and then turned to stare at Justin.



"Are you going to talk to me now?"



"No."


"Yes, you are.  You can't fucking keep doing crap like this.  Tell me what happened."



"Nothing happened.  We had our 'first dance' and we came home."



"Don't do that.  Don't shut me out.  What is it?"



"I need my fucking head read!  I'm such a goddam idiot. I should fucking know better."



"If you'll stop flagellating yourself and tell me what's wrong, maybe I can help."



"Help?  Help? You're the problem."



"What?"  Justin looked like someone had slapped him in the face and that was exactly how he felt.



Brian glared at him silently.



"Brian, if you don't explain that comment I'm leaving."  When Justin heard nothing in response he headed for the door.



"Don't go," Brian said softly.  That was all it took to make Justin stop.  He turned around and waited, knowing if he asked for an explanation he would set the man off once again.



Brian let out a huge sigh.  "Such a drama queen," Justin thought.  Brian took another slug of the Beam and opened his mouth like he was ready to say something.  Nothing came out.



Justin waited.



"I don't know where to start," Brian finally said rather lamely.



"Well, you could start by telling me why I'm the problem.  What did I do?"



"It's not what you do; it's what you do to me."



"Explanation?"



"I go nuts when I'm around you.  You make me do stupid things."



"Like what?" Justin asked, truly mystified about what Brian was getting at.



"Like that fucking dance!"



"That was a great dance!  I couldn't believe we did all those moves and everybody watched us and applauded at the end."  Justin's face glowed as he remembered all the details of their dance. Brian winced. "Did you hurt your ribs when you were lifting me?  Is that what's wrong?"



"No.  It should never have happened.  I can't believe I did that all over again."  Brian grimaced and shook his head in disbelief.  "You didn't want to do it. You kept telling me that the dance wasn't a good idea, but I had to make the grand gesture.  That's what you do to me. You make me forget myself, all my inhibitions and controls, and then I do something stupid like that public display."



"But nothing happened.  People seemed to like it.  They clapped."



"You haven't seen the morning papers," Brian snarled.



"Oh."



"We're going to be crucified and all the ill will is going to come back at us.  Flaunting myself! Flaunting us! I can just hear everybody."



"Brian, I don't get this.  Why did you do it if you think that's what's going to happen?"



"I told you.  You make me crazy."



"So this is all my fault?"


"No … I didn't mean that," Brian said slowly.  "It's just that I know better, and then I do it anyway."



"I think that's called spontaneity," Justin said with a grin, "and it's kind of nice for a change."



"Did you like the dance?" Brian asked, his face softening as he looked at his partner.



"It was fabulous!  That's why I asked if it was like the one at the … prom."  Justin saw a cloud pass over Brian's face. "But you said no."



Brian seemed to be weighing how he would respond to that.  "It was a lot like the one at your prom. I kissed you just like that before we left."



"It was wonderful.  Why did we rush out?  Did we do that at the prom too?"



"Yes … yes, we did.  I was so … happy then.  Only this time after I kissed you I realized what I had done, and all I felt was fear.  It was so much like the prom, and we both know what happened next. I was afraid history was repeating itself.  There were protesters outside, and I had been attacked, and that car …"



"Stop it!" Justin ordered.  "Nothing happened. We're home, and safe."


Brian allowed himself to be held in Justin's gentle hug.  "For how long?" he had to ask.



"For always.  We've gotten through things like this before and we'll get through this one too.  Didn't we agree that we weren't going to hide who we are?"



"Yeah, but we also agreed to keep it low key."



"Well, maybe it did go a little farther than it should have, but …" Justin paused for effect.  "I really liked it," he admitted with his sunshine smile all over his beautiful face.



"You did?"



"Of course I did.  That was about the best moment of my life."



"And you remember it?"



"You shit!  Of course I remember it and … it will make up for the one I don't remember."



Brian looked sad again, and Justin was sorry he had mentioned the prom.



"I love you," Justin declared.  "Let's go to bed so I can fuck a full fledged mayor, not just a mayor elect."



"You seem to be into firsts these days," Brian said with a smirk.  "Are you going to fuck the new mayor after his first day of work tomorrow?"



"You bet!  And after his second day and his third and his fourth …"



The kisses along his jaw and down his throat were causing Justin to lose his train of thought.



"Will you get out of that fucking suit!" Brian said.



Justin began taking off his clothes and Brian was happy to help him.  Justin undid the buttons on Brian's jeans and slid them down. When he stepped out of them they were both naked.



"Kiss me like you did at the hotel," Justin asked.



Brian smiled at his boy and took him in his arms.  He danced him around the room, dipped him backwards and then kissed him for all he was worth.



When he finally let Justin up, the boy gasped, "Whew!  You take my breath away."



"Was that ridiculously romantic enough for you?"



Justin froze for a second.  Those words! Had he heard those words before?



"What's wrong?" Brian asked.



"I just had a … a funny feeling, like I could hear you say those words … but not here."



"You did?" Brian asked slowly.  "I said them to you by the Jeep in the … parking garage."



"Shit!  I can't quite remember it … not exactly."



"Don't try too hard," Brian suggested.  "You'll give yourself a migraine."



"But I want to remember.  I want to know what you said to me.  That night was so important to us. And then it all went wrong," Justin said sadly.



"Hobbs made it go wrong.  That's why I got so worried at the hotel tonight.  Hobbs came out of nowhere and it all happened so fast.  The same thing could have happened again."



"But it didn't.  I love you," Justin said and kissed Brian hard.



"Easy, young fellow," Brian laughed, "I think we need to retire to the boudoir before things get out of hand."



"Boudoir?"



"You know," Brian grinned.



"Come on," Justin yelled and raced up the steps.  Brian caught him at the side of the bed and they tumbled naked onto the duvet.  Justin giggled as Brian tickled him a little bit and then started a series of kisses that left him breathless.  "What do you feel like?" Justin asked. "You deserve a reward for that dance."



"I really like you riding my cock … like you did last night."



"You do?" Justin teased looking for a compliment.



"Nobody does it better."



"I think you're getting lazy, getting too used to people waiting on you."



"You think?"


Justin giggled and began stroking Brian's cock until it was fully engorged.  He slid his tongue through the slit and heard Brian groan in satisfaction. He licked over the head gathering the precum and sliding it onto the shaft.  His mouth engulfed the head of the cock and he sucked … hard. Brian arched up off the bed and screamed Justin's name.



"I think you're ready," Justin said with a self-satisfied smile.  "How be you get me prepared?" He turned so his little pink pucker was right in front of Brian's face.



Brian opened his eyes grateful that he had managed not to come when Justin had sucked him so hard.  He was immediately confronted by Justin's ass. He took a gentle nibble out of one luscious butt cheek.



"Ooohh," Justin moaned.  He could feel Brian licking the spot and easing the sting.  The tongue moved over to the crack of his ass, and starting licking up and down, passing over his pucker each time.  Justin involuntarily pushed back wanting Brian inside him. Brian grabbed the boy's hips and jabbed into the knot of muscle with his rigid tongue.  Justin moaned and looked over his shoulder at Brian.



Brian jabbed harder and deeper feeling the muscles there relax and allow him entry.  He started to use a finger on the hole, then two, then three. Justin was bucking back and forth riding his digits and begging for more.



"Hey," Brian said softly.  "Save some of that for my dick."



Justin turned around and kissed his partner reaching for the condom and lube that were always on the nightstand.  In no time flat he had Brian sheathed and lubed and was positioned over the rigid cock. Brian held it steady as Justin slowly eased himself onto the pulsing rod.



Justin threw his head back and emitted a laugh of pure joy as he came to rest on Brian's groin.  He was fully impaled and loved that feeling. Brian smiled at him. When Justin was so wanton and happy, Brian felt the same way.  It was like he could relive some of the experiences he had missed in childhood and adolescence through this wonderful boy.



They looked into each other's eyes and smiled.  Justin ran his hands over Brian's chest and gently touched the ugly bruise on his one side.



"Does it hurt a lot?" he asked.



"It's not so bad," Brian replied.  "And in a few minutes I bet I'll forget all about it."



"I'll do my best to make that happen."



Justin began a slow up and down movement that he gradually coupled with tightening and releasing the muscles of his anus.  He swiveled his hips around and then leaned in to kiss Brian. The man lay perfectly still allowing Justin to work his magic and enjoying every move the boy made.



Justin began bouncing faster and faster and Brian panted and groaned beneath him.  He could feel his orgasm building and reached for Justin's cock that bobbed in front of him.  He began to pull in time with Justin's movements and was rewarded with a litany of, "Yes … yes … yes … oh, yes … Yes!"



Justin slammed against Brian's groin, hard and then he came, shooting into Brian's fist and onto the man's chest.  He could feel his anus contract and squeeze Brian's dick mercilessly. The man exploded into the condom and they fell apart, spent and exhausted.



After a few minutes Brian turned over and rested against Justin.  "Was it good with the mayor?" he whispered.



"Very good," Justin agreed and they both drifted off to sleep.



                                                                 -----



When they awoke the next morning, all they could remember were the good parts of the previous evening.  Neither wanted to get a newspaper and probably see an attack against their conduct at the dance. They helped each other get rid of their morning wood and then got dressed.  Brian would go to City Hall and Justin was going to be allowed to go back to PIFA for the new semester. He had to go to the school and make some arrangements so he could start the next week.



Brian called Chuck who said he would be there with the limo in half an hour.  Brian thought he might be able to get used to having a car and driver at his disposal all the time.



He looked at Justin who was almost ready to leave for PIFA.  He would need two buses to get there.



"Justin," Brian said.  "I want you to use this."  He handed Justin the keys to his Corvette.  "Just be gentle with her."



"Are you kidding?  You're going to let me drive the 'Vette?" Justin shrieked.



"That's what I said.  I have Chuck and the limo, so somebody needs to drive the 'Vette."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," Justin repeated kissing all over Brian's face.



"Okay, I get the point.  I'm duly thanked," Brian chuckled pleased that he had made Justin so happy.



"I'll be really careful," Justin promised.  He could hardly wait to get behind the wheel.



"Get your stuff," Brian said.  "Chuck should be here any minute.  We can walk down together."



Justin gathered up his papers and stuffed them in his backpack.  Brian picked up his empty briefcase wondering how full it would be when he came home tonight.  He still had little idea exactly what his job entailed. He hoped there were some people at City Hall who would point him in the right direction and tell him what to do.  He knew Geoffrey would be there. Maybe he would help him.



"Brian," Justin said.  "Earth to Brian!" Justin was standing in the open doorway of the loft waiting for Brian who was lost in thought.  "Let's go. I can't wait to drive my new car."



"Your new car?"



"All right, your new car," Justin conceded.



"You mean my old car."


"Oh fuck!  Come on!" Justin ordered in exasperation.



Brian grinned.  The kid was too easy sometimes.



They got downstairs just as Chuck pulled up in the limo.  Justin gave Brian a kiss and waved to Chuck as he ran around to the back of the building where the Corvette was parked.



"Morning, Mr. Mayor," Chuck said as he held the door for Brian and then closed it behind him.  He walked around and got in the front seat, putting the car in gear as soon as he was settled.



"Wait a minute," Brian said.



Chuck waited watching Brian in the rearview mirror.  The man was staring at the side of his building. He didn't have to wait long.  Justin peeled the Corvette out of the driveway and spun the tires as he headed down the street paying no attention to the limousine still sitting there.



"Little shit!" Brian said with a grin.  He had expected Justin to do exactly that.  Hell, he would have.



"Youngsters," Chuck said as he drove off.

Chapter 6 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 6 *

Justin looked at his cell phone.  He knew he had messages and he knew who they were from.  He just wasn't sure if he wanted to answer them. With a sigh of resignation he retrieved them.  There were five. The first was from his mother and he was sure the rest were from her to. She wanted him to call her.  She wanted to hear all about the swearing in and the dinner and dance.



Justin was pretty sure she would have gotten the lowdown from Debbie by now.  He also knew that she wasn't too pleased about not being invited to the dinner.  Justin had told her that it was for Brian, for his friends and supporters. There were limited spaces and Brian had chosen his oldest friends.  Jennifer had said she understood, but he knew she was disappointed.



The other kicker in all this would be what the morning papers said.  He and Brian had refused to look at them, and so far he was none the wiser about what they might have written about him and Brian and the dance.



Justin had finished his interview at PIFA and had received permission to attend the next semester.  It was a cold January day but he plunked himself down on the edge of a planter outside the administration building and hit his mother's number at work.



She picked up and Justin was momentarily at a loss for what to say.  "Mom," he managed to get out.



"Justin, thank God.  I've left a ton of messages for you.  Debbie told me you and Brian rushed out of the dance.  She was worried and so was I."



"I'm sorry we worried you.  I'm fine and Brian's … fine too."



"Debbie said you danced just like you did at your prom.  Is that true? Did it trigger any memories?"



"It's true, but I don't really remember any more than I did before.  But it really spooked Brian."



"Why?" Jennifer asked.



Justin wondered how much he should tell his mother.  "Um, Brian … he kind of thought that history might repeat itself."



"Oh, my God!  Debbie said he had been attacked.  Is he all right? Are you all right?  Tell me the truth."



"I told you, we're fine."



"Good, but why did he do that?  Why couldn't he let well enough alone?"



"It's a long story, but I'm glad we had that dance.  It was important to us."



"If you say so," Jennifer said not really understanding why either of them would want to relive or even remember that other night.



"Have you seen today's papers?" Justin asked hoping he wouldn't regret that question.



"Yes, why?"



"Was there anything about the inaugural and the … dance?"



"Of course."


"Well, what did they say?" Justin asked in exasperation.



"They had a picture of Brian taking the oath and the transcript of his speech."



"And the dance?"  This was like pulling teeth.



"They just said the ceremony was followed by dinner and a dance."



"That's it?"



"Yes, honey, why are you asking all these questions?"



"I just thought there might be a picture of our dance."



"Well, not in my newspaper."


"I have to go, Mom.  Bye." Justin hung up before his mother could ask any more questions.  Was it possible that no one got a picture of them dancing … and the kiss?  Could it be possible that this one time they might be all right? They might not have to suffer the consequences of their actions.



Justin smiled and went to buy all the different newspapers he could find.  He hoped none of them contained a picture of him and Brian at the dance.



                                                               -----



Chuck let Brian off in front of City Hall.  Brian looked around tentatively, but saw no protesters or supporters.  Could life possibly be returning to normal? He could use a little dose of normal along about now.



He was kind of surprised though, because he was sure the dance last night would have set them all off again.  And the kiss! That was some kiss, if he did say so himself. And now Justin knew what the prom had been like and he knew that Brian had made that gesture and he knew that Brian was telling him he loved him by his actions.  At least he hoped Justin understood that last part.



He gave a little shrug, straightened his tie and pushed open the front door of City Hall.  He knew the route to the mayor's office. One night after the election he and Charles had come here to check things out and let Brian get the feel of the place.



Several people said, "Good morning, Mr. Mayor," as he passed by.  He smiled and replied, "Good morning." He rode the elevator to the fifth floor and stepped out.  His office was to the left and he started down the hall. A young woman with brown hair and a tight face sat at a desk outside his office.



"Mr. Mayor," she said, "my name is Lucinda.  I'm from the temp pool and I've been sent up here until you choose your own people."



"Hello, Lucinda.  Could you get me some coffee?"



"Certainly, sir.  I'll bring it right in.  Mr. Cheeks is waiting for you."



"Thank you."  Brian opened the door to his office to find Geoffrey Cheeks sitting in the chair in front of Brian's desk.  "I didn't expect to see you first thing, Geoffrey. Weren't you up late last night dancing the night away?"



"I don't dance," Geoffrey said seriously.



"Of course not," Brian replied trying to keep a straight face.  "So why are you here?"



"My responsibilities include getting the new mayor settled in and helping him with staffing."



A tap on the door heralded coffee brought by Lucinda.  Brian thanked her and she quickly left. He took a sip of the black liquid only to find that it was sugarless.  "Yuck," he said. "Why didn't she ask me how I take this stuff? Lucinda, get back in here!"



Lucinda reappeared in the doorway a look of fear on her face.



"I take two sugars in my coffee.  Fix it."



Lucinda stepped forward and took the mug from Brian.  She looked like she wanted to cry. She turned and practically ran from the room, the mug clutched in her hand, trying not to spill the coffee.



"That wasn't very nice," Geoffrey observed.



Brian glared at him.  "Tell me what you're doing here … again."



"I'm here to help you staff your office."



"Then replace her."



"She's only a temp, but she can handle the job for a day or two," Geoffrey said.



"She isn't handling it so far.  What staff am I entitled to?"



"A driver, a personal assistant and me."



"Oh," Brian chuckled.  "I have a feeling that the only one I can't do without is you."



"That would be correct," Geoffrey stated.



Brian snorted.  This man had a high opinion of himself, but he also seemed to be the only fucking one who knew all the ropes around there.  "So where do we begin?"



Lucinda appeared in the doorway and knocked timidly.  She held out the coffee mug and Brian took it. He sipped and said, "Very good, Lucinda.  Just the way I like it." Lucinda beamed.



Geoffrey watched all of this.  He was beginning to see why this man commanded attention.  It was a combination of charm and fear and probably never knowing which one you were going to get at any given time.  "Is the man who drove you yesterday going to continue in that capacity?" Geoffrey asked.



"Do I get any security?" Brian asked ignoring the other question.



"That can be arranged with the police."



"I don't want the police.  I want my own people."



"There is precedent for that.  I'll look into it for you."



"Good, because I've hired two bodyguards since I was attacked and one of them is that driver.  I want to keep them on, but their salaries should come from what's allocated here at City Hall."



"I'll make the arrangements," Geoffrey said smoothly.



Brian handed him two business cards, one for Chuck and one for Phydeau whose real name he couldn't believe.  He had got them from Chuck on the drive in to City Hall. Geoffrey placed them in his pocket.



"What's next?" Brian asked.



"Personal assistant."



"I know who I want, but I don't know if I can get her," Brian said staring into space.



"Would you like me to contact her?" Geoffrey volunteered.



"I don't think that would help.  What's the salary range for this position?"



Geoffrey grabbed a pad on Brian's desk and wrote down a figure.  Never discuss money out loud seemed to be the rule around here. Brian read the amount.



"Can we find a bit more?"



"Maybe up to this much more," Geoffrey said as he wrote another number on the pad and handed it to Brian.



"That's more like it.  I'll call her and let you know if I have my personal assistant later today."



Geoffrey pointed to files on Brian's desk.  "Those need your attention today. Read them, and if you have any questions, call me.  Lucinda has the numbers for anyone you may need to get in touch with. Unless I hear from you sooner I'll be back at four p.m. to see how you made out."



"Great," Brian said.  He had to hand it to old Geoffrey.  He didn't waste any time and he was very efficient in his job.  Geoffrey stood up and quietly left the office.



Brian sat down in his new chair and savored a moment of being mayor.  He hoped he still savored it at the end of the day. With a sigh he picked up the phone and dialed a familiar number.



"Vangard Advertising, good morning," a voice said.



"I'd like to speak to Cynthia Potter," Brian said.



"She no longer works here," the woman said.



"What?"



"I believe she quit a few days ago.  May I direct your call to someone else?"



"No."  Brian hung up.  Cynthia quit. He wondered what had happened to cause this turn of events.



He took out his cell phone and hit the autodial for Cynthia's home number.



"Hello," a sleepy voice answered after several rings.



"Sleeping in kind of late these days, aren't you?" Brian said.



"Brian?"



"The one and only."



"So this is your first official day as mayor.  Lonely already?"



Brian chuckled.  He loved Cynthia's wry wit.  "I tried to call you at Vangard."



"So you know that I am no longer employed there."



"They said you quit."



"I did."



"Why?"



"It wasn't the same without you," she said jokingly, but that was exactly what she meant.



"What's the real story?" Brian asked.



"I … I don't want to get into it.  It's not important."



"Yes, it is.  Tell me."



Cynthia sighed.  "They assigned me to Henderson.  You know what an asshole he is. He always hated you, and he did his best to take it out on me.  My job became that of a glorified gofer. Anytime I suggested an idea he shot me down. I just couldn't stand it anymore."



"So what are you going to do now, other than sleep the day away?"


"Fuck you!"



Brian chuckled.  "That's not likely to happen."


Cynthia snorted.  "I'm looking around.  I'll find something," she said ignoring his bad joke.



"How would you like to work for me again?" Brian ventured.



"What do you mean?  You're the mayor. You're not in advertising anymore."



"True, but I still need a personal assistant, and this gig is only for two years.  Then I might open my own ad agency."



"Planning ahead?"



"Of course.  You know I always do."



"Yeah," she admitted.



"So would you be interested?"  Brian held his breath. He really wanted her and needed her.



"Can't live without me?"



"Something like that," he conceded.



"I don't know anything about politics."



"Neither do I."



"Well, we'll make a fine pair running the city," she laughed.



"You bet your ass, we will."



"When do you want me to start?"



"When can you get that ass of yours out of bed and down here?"



"Give me a couple of hours."



"Cynthia," he said quietly.



"Yes."



"I … appreciate this."



"Anytime, Boss."



"See you soon."



Brian cut the connection and smiled.  It was going to be a good day.



                                                               -----



Chuck dropped Brian off at the loft just before six o'clock.  Brian felt like his eyes were going to fall out of his head and his mind was reeling.  He had read a million reports and had met thousands of people who kept dropping by his office introducing themselves and wanting favors.



The only bright spot in the day was Cynthia.  Things got much better after she took over. She grilled those who wanted to see him, took down their names and positions and what they wanted.  She filled Brian in on them before she allowed them entrance. She was damn good at her job.



Even Geoffrey had been impressed with her when he came for their four o'clock meeting.  Cynthia had given him the third degree too. It had taken all of his expertise to convince her that he should be allowed to speak to Brian.  Finally she had agreed to ask and Brian had vouched for him.



The man had seemed pleased overall with what Brian had accomplished, even though Brian couldn't point to one concrete thing he had done all day long.



Now Brian needed Justin.  He better be home, Brian thought as he rode up in the elevator.  He had wanted to call him all day, but he had been so busy and those damn reports.  He heaved a great sigh as he opened the door to the loft.



Justin sat on the floor by the couch.  He had newspapers everywhere all over the carpet.



"What are you doing?" Brian asked.



"I've checked every newspaper and there's no mention of our dance or the kiss.  Isn't that great?"



"Great.  Geoffrey told me that the press was banned from the dinner and dance.  They had their chance at City Hall."



"Oh," Justin said deflated.



"So maybe we don't have to worry.  How did it go at PIFA?"



"I'm all set."



"Good."



"How was your day, Mr. Mayor?"



"Long and boring, but I got Cynthia hired as my personal assistant."



"Wow, that's great.  I'm surprised she'd leave Vangard though."



"She had already quit."



"What happened?"



"I'll tell you later," Brian said.  "Come here."



Justin could tell by the husky tone of Brian's voice that he was horny as hell.  He got up and moved over to Brian. "Does the new mayor need to relieve some tension?"



"Big time," Brian responded and he groaned as he felt Justin's hand squeeze his growing erection.



"Let's get you out of that bad old suit," Justin pouted at him.



"Oooh, baby," Brian reacted and captured Justin's pout in a long languorous kiss.



Justin began removing clothes and then proceeded to give Brian one of his best blowjobs.  When they were finished Justin snuggled against Brian's chest as the man leaned against the couch.



"Do you feel better now?" Justin asked.



"Much."



"Anytime you need me," Justin offered.



"Could we make a standing lunch date?  I thought I was going to explode around one o'clock."



"Date?  Did you say date?"



"Um, by the way, how's the Corvette?"



"Smashing."



Brian winced.  "Couldn't you have chosen another word?"


Justin knew that word would cause Brian a momentary pang.  "It's fine and I loved driving it."



"You certainly peeled out of here this morning."



Justin giggled.  "I know. I saw you sitting there watching me, so I put on a little show."



"You little shit!"



"But I'm your little shit."



Brian chuckled and held his lovely boy a little longer.

Chapter 7 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 7 *

Brian spent the next two weeks learning the ropes of being mayor.  He was a quick study so things went relatively smoothly. With Cynthia's help he was able to control who got access to his office.  He quickly identified the people who had their own agendas and were best kept out. He also found those who supported causes that he thought were important.  He tried to give them help and encouragement wherever he could.



The biggest problem he had was all the paperwork he had to get through.  He relied a lot on Geoffrey to sort through the mountain of proposals and reports and requests and doctrines that came across his desk.  There was no way he could read everything that came in for him to peruse. He began to understand why public officials were often seemingly in the dark about new innovations or ideas.  Unless they had a staff that could sort out the worthwhile topics, they never heard or saw many of the ideas that came to them from various sources.



Cynthia began to be more and more capable of making decisions about information that was e-mailed or snail-mailed to him.  He trusted her judgment, and as she gained some experience she became as good at filtering what he needed to look at as Geoffrey was.



One of the things she brought to his attention was a request from a group of mothers who had very young children and had come up with a proposal to start co-op nursery schools.  They had set up one for themselves that had worked extremely well. Now they wanted to franchise the idea and act as supervisors for any new nursery schools that followed their plan.  They had laid out parameters for selecting a site, choosing the staff and stocking the facility.



When Cynthia had brought the proposal to Brian he had been very excited.  It fit perfectly with the education and daycare theme that had been a cornerstone of his campaign.  Geoffrey had not been in favor of this idea when Brian ran it by him. He felt the mayor should stay out of such things, let them go through the usual channels.  He also felt it was too risky dealing with inexperienced people. With all the problems of child abuse and molestation turning children's welfare over to such a group would be asking for trouble, as far as Geoffrey was concerned.



"They're mothers, for Christ sake!" Brian responded.



"Fine, you're the mayor.  Do what you want, but don't say I didn't warn you."



"And if I followed your model nothing would ever change."


Geoffrey sat stony faced in front of him.  Brian immediately regretted his words.



"Look, Geoffrey, this fits exactly what I want to do for the city – affordable, dependable, competent daycare.  I want to help them. I have to give it a shot."



"Suit yourself."



Brian wanted to smack the self-righteous bastard, but he knew he needed him, and for the most part he did respect Geoffrey's opinions.  The man was usually right. But sometimes Brian felt the need to do things for himself, take some initiative that hadn't been filtered through Geoffrey's myopic view of the world.



"This is one time I'm going to have to follow my own path, Geoffrey, so let's just agree to disagree."



Geoffrey had nodded knowing that Brian was the mayor and the decision was his to make.



One of the things that Brian hated about being mayor was the constant stream of visits by dignitaries and VIP's who came to Pittsburgh and ended up with a photo op at City Hall with the mayor.  Brian occasionally wondered if maybe it was Geoffrey who organized these things with a view to making his life miserable. What Brian did like about these visits was that every now and then he got to meet someone that he was truly interested in.



One such occasion was when Bruce Springsteen came to Pittsburgh for two concerts.  He performed the first night and was brought to City Hall the afternoon of the next day for a presentation ceremony.  He supported some local charities and their representatives were there to present 'The Boss' with tokens of their appreciation.



As the official representative of the city Brian was required to attend.  This was one instance that he didn't mind doing so at all. He had long been a fan of the singer from New Jersey.  He owned all his albums and he had even modeled himself after Springsteen when he and Mikey had their band for a while.



When Brian had seen the name on his itinerary for the next day, he could hardly believe his eyes.  He couldn't wait to tell Justin as soon as he got home.



When Brian entered the loft that evening he had shouted Justin's name only to find the boy was still out.  That wasn't the way it was supposed to be.



By the time Justin, tired from a long shift at the diner, arrived at the loft over an hour later Brian's good mood had evaporated.



"Hey," Justin said as he came in.



"Hey," Brian responded with little enthusiasm.



"You're home in good time tonight."



"Fat fucking lot of good that did me!"



"What?"



"You heard me."



"Yeah, I did.  But what the fuck are you talking about?"



"I had some good news that I wanted to share with you, but you weren't here."



"Well, I'm sorry, but I guess I missed your telepathic messages telling me that I needed to rush right home to hear your news."  Justin made his voice as sarcastic as he could. This pissy attitude was uncalled for and he was sick of being treated like dirt.



"Fuck you!" Brian responded.



"So what is this wonderful news that you could hardly wait a fucking minute to tell me?"



"Fucking forget it!"



Brian got up from the couch, grabbed his jacket and left.  Justin stood stunned by the loft door. He couldn't believe that Brian had just walked out on him.  What the fuck had they been fighting about?



Brian took the stairs two at a time and arrived at the street in no time flat.  He stopped on the doorstep wondering where the fuck he thought he was going to go.  He wasn't supposed to be out wandering around on his own. Look where that had got him the last time he tried it.  He sure as fuck wasn't going back upstairs to the sarcastic little twat he had left there. He couldn't even take the Corvette because he had given the keys to Justin.



As he stood undecided about what he wanted to do, Brian saw a taxi pull up across the street and drop someone off.  Brian ran over and gave the driver an address to take him to. He slumped into the back seat regretting, a little bit, the first fight he and Justin had had in quite a while.



Brian paid the taxi driver and got out of the car.  He went up the steps wondering if he was doing the right thing.  A knock on the door brought him face to face with Ben.



"Hey," Brian said.



"Brian?" Ben said obviously questioning what had brought Brian to their apartment.



"That's Mayor Kinney to you," Brian tried to joke, but it didn't sound very funny.



"Brian!" Michael said enthusiastically from inside the apartment.



Ben stepped back so that Brian could enter.  Michael was seated at the dinner table. It seemed that they were mostly finished eating.



"Hey, Mikey," Brian said.



"What are you doing here?  Have you eaten?"



Like all the Novotnys food was always high on the list of priorities.



"I'm fine," Brian replied.  He sat down in an empty chair at the table.  "I came to see if you could take a couple of hours off from the store tomorrow afternoon."



"Is there an early underwear party that you want to drag him to?" Ben asked.



Brian ignored that comment.  "How would you like to meet Bruce Springsteen?"



"What kind of fucked up joke is this?" Michael asked.



"It's no joke, Mikey.  He's coming to City Hall to receive an award from some charitable institutions and of course, I have to shake his hand.  I wondered if you wanted to come too. But … if you're busy or you think I'm kidding it's no skin off my nose."



Brian made a move as if tostand up like he was ready to leave.



"Brian," Michael whined.  "Don't fuck with me. Are you serious?  Bruce Springsteen!"



Brian grinned at him and nodded.



"Oh… My… God…!"



"So do you want to come?"



"Of course I do.  Let me call Uncle Vic and see if he'll cover for me at the store.  I'll call him right now."



Michael went over to the phone and Brian began to squirm under Ben's continued stare.



"I promise to return him in pristine condition right after the ceremony," Brian said sarcastically.



"I'm trying to figure out why you are here inviting Michael when I would have thought you would be taking Justin," Ben mused out loud.  "Umm, let me see … a fight perhaps?"

Brian scowled and Ben knew he had hit the nail on the head.  "You can't keep stringing Michael along like this."



"What the fuck are you talking about?"



"Come on, Brian.  Every time you have problems with Justin you come running back to Michael and make him feel special and important.  Then as soon as you fix things with Justin, you forget that Michael exists."



Brian looked stunned and a little sheepish, but quickly the old mask slipped into place.  "You're full of shit," Brian said too softly. "Mikey and I have been friends for a long time and Springsteen was one of our heroes.  That's why I'm inviting him."



"If you say so," Ben said slowly and Brian knew he didn't believe a word of it.



"Uncle Vic will look after the store," Michael said with a big grin as he came back to the table.  He wants me to get him Bruce's autograph if I get the chance."



"Try not to gush too much," Brian admonished.  "I have to maintain a certain sense of decorum.  I am the mayor."



Ben snorted.  "And loving every minute of it."



"You're such a fraud," Michael said to Brian.  "You're as excited as I am about meeting Springsteen."



"True," Brian admitted with a little grin.



Ben watched the two of them.  They really did have so much common history.  It was hard for anyone else, him included, to break into that realm.



"So be at City Hall a little before two," Brian said standing and pulling his coat back on.



"I'll be there."



"Check in at the front desk.  I'll put your name on the guest list."

Michael nodded happily.



"Oh, I almost forgot.  Can you call me a cab?"



"Sure, but where's the 'Vette?"



"Just call."



Michael went to the phone and Brian again found himself under the intense scrutiny of the good professor.  Brian decided he could learn to hate Ben if he didn't stop doing that.



"About five minutes," Michael said coming back to the table.



They all sat down again and looked uncomfortably at each other.



"So where's your car?" Ben asked.



"Justin has it."



"Why?" Michael wanted to know.



"I have a car and driver.  It comes with being mayor so I gave the 'Vette to Justin."



"Gave?"  Michael looked shocked.



"Well, not exactly gave.  He's using it for transportation to school and to run errands."



"You trust him with it?"



"Of course I do, Mikey, or I wouldn't have given it to him in the first place."



Michael scowled and there was an awkward silence.  Brian realized how much he did trust Justin. The boy could have anything he wanted.  Brian knew it would be safe with him. Michael thought about how Brian had never loaned him the Corvette and resented Justin a little more.  Ben watched the emotions play out on the faces of the other two and shook his head in resignation. No matter how much Michael loved him, and he knew that he did, he would never hold the same place in his life that Brian commanded.



A honk from the street heralded the arrival of the taxi and mercifully the end of Ben's scrutiny.  Brian got up, gave Michael a quick kiss and left without further ado. Inside the taxi Brian hesitated about where to have the taxi take him and then gave the driver the address of the loft.



                                                             -----



Brian waited in his office.  They would call him down to meet Bruce Springsteen in a few minutes.  Michael should be there anytime now. He thought back to the events of last night.  What the fuck had he and Justin fought about? And worse still, what were they still fighting about?



When Brian had arrived back at the loft Justin was engrossed in some school work and never even let on that he knew Brian had returned.  Brian read some reports and worked a bit on the computer. He composed a few words to say at the presentation to Bruce Springsteen.



He kept glancing over at Justin, but the boy never let on that he noticed, if in fact he did.  They never said anything to each other all night. Brian finally went to bed sometime before midnight and Justin was still sketching.



When they had awoken this morning each was clinging to his side of the bed fearful of touching the other.  Justin stayed in bed while Brian got ready to leave. Justin was awake. Brian always knew when he was awake, but he pretended sleep and Brian let him.  Somehow that seemed easier than trying to settle what had happened and then explain to him why Michael was coming to meet Bruce Springsteen instead of him.  So Justin still didn't know what was happening at City Hall this day. Brian assumed he had gone off to PIFA without any inkling.



Cynthia called him over the intercom and he stepped out of his office to find an excited Michael armed with his camera and autograph book waiting for him.  They made their way down to the council chambers where the presentation would be made.



The councilors and Brian took their seats, and Michael went to the visitors' gallery.  Shortly the Springsteen entourage arrived. Hands were quickly shaken and seats found for all who accompanied the 'Boss'.  Several people from various charities spoke about contributions made by Mr. Springsteen. Geoffrey handed Brian the award plaque and the key to the city.  Brian moved to the microphone.



"Mr. Springsteen, may I officially welcome you to Pittsburgh.  I am very pleased and honored to be here today to present you, first with the key to the city."  Bruce rose and accepted the key shaking Brian's hand. There were lots of pictures taken, including by Michael who thought he got several good ones for his scrapbook.  Bruce sat back down.



"I also have a second presentation, but before I get to that, I would like to admit publicly that I have been a fan of yours for many years.  In fact I invited a longtime friend here today because we had a band that was largely fashioned after yours, although the caliber of the talent was perhaps somewhat less."  There was general laughter. "I hope after this ceremony that you might take a minute to meet this friend. It would mean a lot to him. Now, back to the agenda. If the representatives of the various charities will come back up we would all like to present you with this plaque as a token of our appreciation for all the community service work you do."



When the photo op was over and refreshments were being served, Michael made his way back to Brian.



"Do you think he will speak to me?" Michael asked glancing hesitantly at Bruce.



"There's only one way to find out," Brian said and ushered Michael through the crowd of people to where the musician was surrounded by admirers.  They made way for the mayor.



"Is this the friend who wanted to meet me?" Bruce asked.



Brian nodded and Bruce held out his hand to Michael.  Michael shook it enthusiastically.



"This is so great.  I … I'm such a fan! I'm so pleased to meet you."


Bruce grinned and Brian felt the necessity to say, "Bruce, this is Michael Novotny."


"Could I get your autograph, Mr. Springsteen?" Michael asked.



"Um … sure."  Bruce took the autograph book and signed it to Vic as Michael told him.  When he was done he turned to Brian. "I was hoping I'd get the chance to tell you that I think it's great that you got elected."



"You do?  Why?" Brian asked.



"I think we need a more tolerant world, and your election is a good step towards that."



"I'm glad you think so, but I'm not so sure that's what's happening."  Bruce looked confused by Brian's statement. "It's not something I can explain quickly, but thanks for the compliment."



Bruce nodded and then he was whisked away to God knows what next.  That was the end of the presentation and Springsteen and entourage were gone.  Michael looked at Brian.



"That was great!  Thanks for introducing me to him, or I probably wouldn't have even got near him.  Uncle Vic is going to be so stoked about the autograph."


"You're welcome, Mikey," Brian replied.  "I should get back to my office. See ya!"



Brian walked out to the elevators and caught one.  All the way to his office two thoughts kept rolling through his head.  Bruce Springsteen thought he was making a difference and Justin should have been there.

Chapter 8 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 8 *

Justin had been tired when he came home and wasn't in the mood to placate Brian about whatever the fuck news he wanted to tell him.  The momentary lapse had caused Brian to get angry and leave to go who knew where. Justin had been so stunned when Brian walked out over seemingly nothing that he had momentarily been at a loss of what to do.  He had started to follow Brian out onto the landing. The man disappeared from view almost immediately and Justin realized that it was unlikely that he would be able to catch him. He went back inside and called Chuck.



They had relaxed their surveillance quite a bit since the arrests of the men who beat up Brian and had sent those threatening letters.  Chuck or Phydeau were no longer stationed outside the loft all of the time, but Brian was not supposed to venture out after dark unescorted.



Chuck didn't seem overly concerned that Brian had gone out alone but said he or Phydeau would come over immediately.  Justin had waited in agitation until Phydeau arrived. He had been hoping it would be Chuck who always seemed much easier to deal with.  Justin was a bit afraid of the leather clad Phydeau.



When the front door buzzer finally rang Justin answered immediately.



"Yes?" he said.



"Phydeau here," a strange voice replied.



Justin realized that was the first time he had actually heard Phydeau's voice.  "Come on up," Justin replied and pushed the release for the front door. He opened the loft door and waited for the elevator.  As it came into view he could see Phydeau dressed in his leathers behind the grating. He wondered just what he had called Phydeau away from.  "Hi," Justin said not knowing how else to begin.



Phydeau nodded and entered the loft.  Justin closed the door behind them.



"How long has he been gone?" Phydeau asked.



"About thirty minutes.  I called as soon as I realized he wasn't coming back."



"What happened?"



"We had a … fight, I guess."



"You guess?  Don't you know?"



"It happened so fast I hardly know what went on.  I just know that Brian shouldn't be out wandering around by himself, especially after what happened to him the last time."



"He didn't take his car?"



"No, I have the keys."



"Would he take a cab?"



"Maybe, but he didn't call one.  He would have to catch it by accident on the street."



"Any idea where he might go?"



"Not really."



"Friends?  Family?"



"Yeah, some of each, but I didn't want to worry them by calling."



"If he doesn't come back soon, you better call."



Justin nodded.  "Is there anything else we can do in the meantime?"



"Chuck's checking Woody's and Babylon and some of his other hangouts."



"I don't really think he'd go there.  Since he got elected he's been trying to keep a clean image.  What about the diner?"



"He'll look there too."



"Is there anything we can do?" Justin asked frustrated by being left behind with nothing to do to help.



"As soon as we hear from Chuck, we'll know how to proceed.  Either he will have found him or you start calling all the people he might have gone to visit."



Justin studied Phydeau.  He didn't seem so menacing now that he was talking.  "Want to sit down?" he asked indicating the couch.



Phydeau walked around and sat down.  Justin took one of the chairs. They stared awkwardly at each other.  Justin realized if he wanted to break the uncomfortable silence, he was the one who would have to do it.



"So…," Justin began, "how long have you been into leather?"



"Long time."


This wasn't going to be easy.  "Um … would you like a drink?"



Phydeau shook his head and they sat in silence for a little longer.



"Um … where'd you get the name Phydeau?" Justin finally asked.  He had always wondered about that. Phydeau made a face. "Sorry, it's none of my business if you don't want to talk about it."  Justin didn't want to piss him off.



"It's okay.  It's not my real name."



"No shit!"  Justin was immediately sorry he had said that.  He really didn't want to make him mad.



"No shit," Phydeau repeated and grinned at him.  "I never liked telling people my real name. Since I got into leather I have always worn this spiked dog collar."  He touched the studded piece of leather around his neck. "Somebody called me Fido one night."



"That's how it started?"



"Yeah, I just changed the spelling from the dog version.  I suppose it's better than Rover or Poochie."



Justin chuckled.  "Yeah, I never thought about the other possibilities."



"I have, believe me.  I suppose now you want to know what my real name is?"



"Only if you want you tell me."



"Well, to be happy being called Phydeau, you have to know the real name is something … strange."



Justin nodded not knowing what else to do.  "I won't spread it around if you want to tell me what it is."



"I should hope you won't."  Justin could hear the implied threat.  "My real name's … Atticus Phipps."



"Really?"  Justin was very surprised.  That was probably the last name he would ever have thought of.  It was probably the last name anyone would come up with. He wondered at the mother who had saddled her son with that handle.



"Pretty bad, huh?"



"No, um … I mean … I guess you were named after Atticus Finch from "To Kill a Mockingbird".



"You know that story?"



"It's one of my favorites."



"No shit!  I hardly tell anybody my name, but when I do, it's rare that they know where it came from.  They just think it's weird."



Justin could imagine that many of the folks on Liberty Avenue might not have a clue about Atticus Finch, especially in the leather bars.  "I like stories about the underdog and somebody who stands up for human rights, and isn't afraid to take on the powers that be."



"Me too," Phydeau replied, still a man of few words when given the chance.  "I guess that's what I like about Mr. Kinney."



Maybe they did have one or two things in common, Justin thought.  The silence fell around them once more. Justin looked at his watch.  It had only been about five minutes, but it seemed much longer since Phydeau had arrived.



"Do you think I should start calling people?" Justin asked wanting to do something concrete.



"Not yet.  Wait for Chuck to call."



Justin sighed.  He needed to do something.  His sketchbook sat on the coffee table so he picked it up, flipped to a blank page and began sketching Phydeau.  He didn't know how long he had been sketching when the phone rang. He jumped as it broke his concentration and rang to answer it.  It was Chuck.



"Haven't found him," Chuck said.  "Start trying his friends and family."



"Okay…," Justin said.  "Do you think something has happened to him?" he asked fearfully.



"Probably not, but we need to find him.  I'm going to try a few other places, but they're not very likely, so start calling."



"I will," Justin said and hung up.  Phydeau looked at him waiting for an explanation.  "He hasn't found him, but he's going to try a few other places.  He wants me to start calling." Phydeau nodded in agreement. "I guess I'll start with Lindsay."



That proved fruitless.  She hadn't seen or heard from Brian in days, and she told Justin to make sure that Brian called her … soon.  He then tried Michael who informed him that Brian had just left and should be back at the loft in a few minutes.



"Shit!" Justin said when he got off the phone.



"What?" Phydeau wanted to know.  He had been looking through Justin's sketchbook, very impressed with the drawing of himself and all the other sketches that he found inside.



"He was at Michael's and should be on his way home right now."



"I'll let Chuck know."  Phydeau pulled out his cell phone and filled Chuck in on what they now knew.  He stood up when he was finished. "I'll get out of here before he gets back. He doesn't need to know that we were looking for him."



Justin nodded, realizing that Phydeau understood how Brian liked his privacy and would hate the idea that others knew about the fight and him walking out.  "Thanks for coming over."



Phydeau started towards the door, then stopped and turned around.  "Those are very good," he said indicating the open sketchbook that lay on the coffee table.



"Thanks," Justin said with a smile.



"I … I paint," Phydeau said looking very unsure of himself.



"You do?"  Justin was surprised.



"Yeah."



"I'd like to see your work sometime."



"That … that would be nice," Phydeau said rather shyly.  "I'd better get out of here before the mayor comes back."



He rushed down the stairs like he was embarrassed to have told Justin about his art.  Justin made a mental note to be sure to ask to see the man's work. It had to be interesting if it was half as intriguing as the man who painted it.



Justin pulled the loft door closed and locked it.  He wasn't going to make it easy for Brian. He didn't appreciate being treated the way Brian had acted before he left.  He was prepared to take a stand on that. He picked up his sketchbook and pencil and began to work on the sketch of Phydeau.  He had the basics done, but there was still a lot more to do to it before it was finished.



He heard the loft door open some minutes later.  He was really engrossed in his drawing. The likeness of Phydeau was excellent and he really wanted to finish it while it was clear in his memory.  He also wasn't ready to talk to Brian, and he certainly wasn't ready to forgive him. He kept sketching, paying no attention to Brian as he came in and went up to the bedroom.  Neither of them spoke.



Justin decided he could outlast his lover.  If he wanted to play the silent treatment game then he would get a dose of his own medicine.  He worked away adding touches to the likeness of Phydeau and ignoring Brian moving around the loft.  He half noticed that he worked at the computer for awhile, but he was enjoying the sketch he was doing.  It looked real enough to open its mouth and speak to him from the page.



Finally it was done and Justin took a last survey of his work, smiled in satisfaction and closed the pad.  He massaged his right hand which still got tight and knotted if he worked for too long a stretch like he had just done.  He looked around. Brian was nowhere to be seen. He had forgotten about him when he got so engrossed in the drawing. They still hadn't spoken to each other.



He stood up and stretched.  He could see a lump in the bed up the steps.  Brian must have given up and gone to bed. Justin got a drink of water and went up to the bathroom.  There was no sound from the man as he went by, so he must be asleep. When Justin finally climbed into bed next to Brian, the shallow breathing told him that he really was asleep.  Justin rolled to the edge of the bed and tried to sleep himself.



The next morning Justin woke when he heard Brian get up.  He still didn't want to be the one to initiate talking so he stayed on his side of the bed and pretended he was still asleep.  He hoped Brian would wake him and say he was sorry. He hated it when they fought. Suddenly he heard the loft door slide open and then shut.  He knew Brian had left.



"Shit!" he said out loud.  "The bastard didn't even have the decency to explain his actions and apologize."  Justin continued to mutter to himself as he got dressed and ready to go to school.  They would have this out tonight. Enough pussy footing around.



                                                               -----



When Justin arrived home from school there was no sign of Brian.  He decided he would cook dinner for the two of them. Maybe that would break the ice and get Brian to talk to him.



He checked what he had to work with and decided on pasta with chicken and mushrooms.  He knew Brian would think it was fattening, but tough luck, that's what he had supplies for and that's what he felt like making.  He had most of it ready when Brian finally arrived home.



"Hey," Brian said as he came through the door and smelled the food cooking.



Justin smiled.  Brian had spoken first.  "Hey," he responded.



"That smells good."



"Thanks.  Are you hungry?"



"I could eat."



"It'll be ready in about ten minutes."



Brian went up to change his clothes.  He was relieved that Justin had answered when he had greeted him.  He didn't think he could take another night of silence. It was much too hetero to suit him.  Anyone would think they were a fucking married couple.



When he reappeared Justin was finishing setting the table and he handed Brian a bottle of wine to open.  Brian did his duty and they sat down to a delicious meal. He could feel Justin's eyes on him, but he didn't say anything.  Neither was willing to give in.



"Fuck this!" Brian finally said.



"Fuck what?"



"This silence."



"Oh, you don't like some quiet time?"



"Don't be a fucking smartass.  When are you going to get over it?"



"Me?  When am I going to get over it?  In case you don't remember I didn't do anything.  You expected me to read your mind. You expected me to magically appear when you wanted me.  You're the one who walked out."



Brian studied his young lover for a minute.  He had a smart retort all ready, but the look on Justin's face told him he better be careful.  This wasn't the old Justin who put up with his shit without any complaints. "Yeah, I guess I was," Brian said slowly.



"So what do you have to say for yourself?"



"I … I shouldn't have left like that."



"No, you fucking shouldn't have!"



"But I did, and it's over.  Can we just get on with things?"



"I don't know, Brian.  Can we? I'm not prepared to have you walk out whenever you feel like it.  Do you have any idea how worried I was? Do you remember what happened to you the last time you pulled something like this?"



Brian looked a little sheepish.  "I only went to see Michael."



"And just how was I supposed to know that's what you were doing?"



"I … I guess you couldn't know that."



"So?"



"So … what?" Brian asked bewildered.



"So what are you going to do about it?"



"Sometimes I … I just need to be alone.  When things don't go the way I want, I … I want to escape."



"So that's what you were doing … escaping?"



"Yeah."



"Escaping from what?  Me? Our life together?"



"All of the above."



"Well, thanks a fucking lot!"  Justin threw down his napkin and stomped up to the bedroom, his appetite completely gone.  He sat down on the side of the bed and leaned his forehead into his hands, his elbows resting on his knees.  He wondered if he had made a huge mistake. Brian would never change. He would never really let him into his life no matter what he said.  Brian was the one with all the power and decision making prerogative. He was fooling himself if he thought that Brian would really alter that fact or make any real concessions to include him in his life.



"Justin," Brian said tentatively still at the bottom of the steps to the bedroom.



Justin sighed and remained silent.



"Justin," Brian tried again.



Justin decided to listen to whatever pathetic excuse Brian was going to make.  "What?" he finally said. He heard Brian come up the steps.



"I just needed to be by myself for a little while.  I didn't want to cause all this trouble."



That was probably as close to an apology as he was going to get.  "Well, you make me feel like shit when you walk out like that. It's like you have no consideration for me at all.  If I can't read your whims or moods fast enough, then you ignore me or walk out. I suppose Michael's better at it than I am."



"Michael's pretty obtuse sometimes," Brian said with a grin.



Justin had to giggle at that.  "He is?"



Brian nodded.  "He thinks he knows me so well, but you're really the only one who does."  Brian hesitated. "And then sometimes you don't like me very much … like now."



"You're right."  He turned to look at Brian.  He could tell that his last words had really hit home.  "I want us to work on things together. I just want you to include me."



"I'll try," Brian said simply.  All he wanted was to hold Justin in his arms and kiss that sad look off his face.



"You mean it?" Justin asked giving in.



Brian nodded.  He took a couple of steps towards his partner and found Justin standing waiting for him.  He took the young man into his arms and kissed him tenderly. He really wanted to make this work.  He didn't intend to hurt Justin. He really would try. They made love long into the night.



                                                             -----



As they slept, the latest editions of the local newspapers were being cranked out.  Neither would be prepared for what they held.

Chapter 9 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 9 *

The ringing of the telephone woke Brian and Justin at quarter to seven the next morning.  They had fucked until after three and didn't appreciate the interruption of their sleep when they still had fifteen minutes before the alarm went off.



"What?" Brian said picking up the portable phone next to the bed.



"Brian, it's Lindsay.  Did I wake you?"



"Yes, you woke me!  What the fuck do you want at this time of the night?"



"Have you seen the morning newspaper yet?"



"How the fuck could I have seen the morning paper when I was sleeping, until you so rudely woke me?" Brian asked in his most sarcastic voice.



"You should get a copy."



"Why?"  The line went dead.  "Lindsay? Lindsay? Fuck!"  Brian slammed down the receiver.



"What was that all about?" Justin asked trying to pry his eyes open.



"There must be something in the fucking newspaper that Lindsay thinks is important enough to wake us in the middle of the fucking night."



"Brian, it's almost seven," Justin said reasonably.



"Well, it doesn't feel like morning.  I needed those extra minutes," Brian griped.



"What's in the paper?" Justin asked finally getting his eyes to stay open.



"How the fuck should I know?  She hung up before she told me."



"I'll go get a paper," Justin said trying to launch himself out of bed.



"Stay put.  I'll go."



Justin collapsed back against his pillow happy to stay put and let Brian do the dirty work for once.  Brian got up and threw on some sweats and his jacket. He ran down the stairs to the newspaper boxes on the corner.  He bought one of each and without looking at them ran back to the loft. He arrived shivering at the bed a couple of minutes later.



"What do they say?" Justin asked sitting up.



"I didn't look.  I just grabbed them and ran back before I froze my fucking balls off."



Justin giggled and picked up a paper.  There was nothing too strange on the front page, just the usual problems in Iraq, a few more dead soldiers to bring back to their parents and loved ones.  Justin flipped the page over and gasped. There on the top of page three as big as life and twice as bold was a picture of him and Brian kissing. It had to be from the inaugural dance.



"Oh… My… God…!"



"What the fuck is it?" Brian asked.  "You look like you saw a ghost."



"I did."  He handed the paper to Brian who groaned as soon as he saw the picture.  "Where do you think they got it?" Justin asked.



"How in Christ should I know?  And why now? That was two weeks ago."



"Somebody who was a guest must have had a camera and has just realized what they had on their film," Justin mused.



"You're probably right."



"What's going to happen now?" Justin asked rather fearfully.



"Fuck if I know!"



Justin stared at Brian for a moment.  He could tell that he was just as worried.  Their life had barely returned to some semblance of normal the last week or so, and now this.  Justin sighed. Nothing was ever easy. He began to scan through the other papers to see if the picture was in all of them.  It was nowhere else and for some reason that made Justin feel a little better. Brian was reading the article with the picture in the first paper.



"It's not in any of the other papers," Justin said, "at least not that I can find."



"It says here that they got the picture from an invited guest at the party," Brian said, "who wishes to remain anonymous.  Are we surprised?"



"No," Justin admitted as he began gathering up the papers that were spread all over the bed.  "But I bet they showed it to someone whose initials are JS and he knew just what to do with it."



Brian snorted thinking of how gleefully Stockwell would have accepted that photo.  Justin shuffled some more papers around. Suddenly he froze. There on the bed in a different section of one of the newspapers was another picture of Brian.  He grabbed it and looked more closely. Brian was standing next to Bruce Springsteen, smiling, and there on the other side of Bruce was Michael.



Justin stared in disbelief.  Then he read the caption to the photo about Springsteen receiving an award of appreciation at City Hall.  The mayor had brought a friend to meet the 'Boss" saying that they were both big fans and had fashioned their own teenaged band after Springsteen's.



"What the fuck is this?" Justin asked.



"What?"



"This!" Justin said with gritted teeth and shoved the paper in Brian's face.



"Oh, that," Brian said softly seeing immediately that he was in more trouble than ever.



Justin stared at him waiting for an explanation.  His arms were clasped across his chest in that kind of pose that said 'please don't hurt me, but I'm ready because I know you're going to'.  He knew his teeth were clenched so hard it was almost painful.



"I invited Michael when we … when we had the fight."



"Trust you to run right back to good old Mikey."



"Justin, Michael and I were very huge Springsteen fans.  I knew Michael would love to meet him. I … I didn't mean to hurt you.  I was going to invite you."



"But you didn't.  You picked a fight with me instead and then invited Michael."



"I didn't pick a fight.  It just happened. It … seemed like a good idea at the time," Brian said weakly.



"I just bet it did."



Brian was at a loss to what more he could say.  He looked at the two pictures lying side by side on the bed.  Each of them should have been a happy moment of history captured to look back on years later.  Instead each of them spelled disaster. Brian wondered why nothing ever worked out quite the way he wanted it to.



With a sigh he got up off the bed and shucked off his sweats.  He went into the bathroom and turned on the shower. A look in the mirror while he waited for the water to heat up revealed the face of someone who wasn't very happy.



"Right back to where I started from," he mumbled.



"What did you say?" Justin asked.  The boy stood in the doorway studying him.



"Nothing," Brian muttered.  "Nothing."



He started to open the shower door when he felt Justin's hand grab his arm.  "Don't do it again. Don't shut me out."



Brian stared into the blue eyes that looked just about as sad and hurt as his own.  He decided to tell Justin what he was feeling. "I said that I was right back where I started from."



"What does that mean?" Justin asked when Brian didn't explain right away.



"It means that I'm a major fuck up.  Everything I do always turns out for shit."



Justin was stunned.  "No it doesn't," he said trying to make Brian feel better.



"How can you even say that with a straight face?  Look at the list of my fine achievements when I try to do something that I think is for the best.  There's Mikey's birthday party. That got me a punch in the face. There's your prom, and I don't even want to think about the consequences of that.  Now there's the dance and kiss at the inaugural. That ought to be good for some major fallout. And now my inviting Michael to meet Springsteen." Brian shook his head, sloughed off Justin's hand and walked into the shower closing the door behind him.



Justin watched him through the glass.  Brian was right about some of what he had said.  Things did have a way of turning out pretty crappy for him.  But sometimes they turned out good. He opened the shower door and stepped in.



"What do you want?" Brian asked in a most ungracious tone.  "Leave me alone."



"You forgot all the good things you have done for people, ones that have turned out well."



"Such as?"



"Such as Mel and Lindsay's wedding."  Brian turned to look at him then.



"Go on."



Justin thought he had Brian's attention now.  "Such as Gus."



"Yeah, he's a pretty good one, isn't he?"



Justin smiled in agreement.  "I bet there's lots of things that you have done that I don't even know about."



Brian had to admit to himself that there were a few things.  He had helped Ted stay out of jail, although some of the other consequences of that weren't so great.  He had helped Michael sell the Captain Astro comic and buy his store. He had done good occasionally.



"Is this why I keep you around?" Brian asked suddenly.



"What?"



"To cheer me up when I feel like shit."



"It's just one of the many perks of the job," Justin stated with a grin.



"But there are other better perks."



"Like what?"



"Like this."  Brian's hand closed around Justin's cock and tugged.  He felt it rise and swell in his hand. The kid was so easy.



"Umm," Justin moaned.  "That's definitely a good perk."  He licked his lips through the falling water.



Brian had to kiss those lips.  He leaned in and claimed them for his own.  "Am I forgiven?" Brian asked.



"You could have asked Michael right from the outset if you had just told me that was what you wanted to do."



"But I didn't want to invite him.  I wanted to invite you."



"I'm confused.  Then why didn't you?"



"Because I'm a fucking stupid ass!"



"That's a given, but what's the real reason?" Justin asked with a smirk.



"I came home all excited to tell you about Springsteen, and you weren't here."



"That's it?"



"No, that's not all.  Then you came home and you were tired and a bit testy and you pissed me off."



"Well, pardon me!"



"I know.  It was stupid.  I'll try not to do it again."



"Good."  Brian waited expectantly.  Justin sighed, "I'll try to be home whenever you have a big announcement to make."



"That's the least you can do," Brian said with a grin.  "Come here."



Justin stepped forward and Brian dropped to his knees.  He took Justin's semi-erect cock into his mouth and tongued all around it.  He released it and using his hand to hold it up he sucked the shaft, tugging each time on the bulbous head.  Justin moaned his appreciation. Brian swept this tongue through the slit and Justin cried out.



Brian gently pushed him back against the wall out of the direct line of spray.  It gave the boy something to steady himself against. Then he attacked anew. His tongue and lips worked the throbbing shaft while Justin moaned and pushed into Brian's mouth.  With a final thrust and swallow from Brian, Justin came in his mouth. His shout of release was partially drowned out by the water, but he continued to moan as Brian sucked him dry.



When Brian released the softening cock he stood and kissed his lovely boy.  Justin leaned against him thoroughly spent and satisfied.



"God, that was great!" he managed to get out.



Brian smiled at him and held him against his chest for another minute or two.  As he felt Justin's thumping heart begin to slow down he took Justin by the shoulders and held him away from his body so that he could look into his eyes.



"Are we all right?"


"Yes, but promise that you won't shut me out or walk away when we fight.  I need you to tell me what's wrong. Then we can fix it."



"I'll try."



"That's all I'm asking."



They kissed again and they both could feel their cocks harden between them as they deepened the kiss.



"Do we have time?" Justin asked.



"One of the perks of my job," Brian said.  "I can be a few minutes late."



"Good," Justin said and turned his back to Brian displaying his lily white ass in all its glory.



"Hard and fast," Brian declared.



Justin nodded.  "Just like us," Justin stated.  Brian gave him that funny look that meant he understood that statement on all levels.  Also that was exactly the right way to do it given the way they felt.



Brian donned the ever present condom and quickly entered Justin.  It hurt more than a little but not in a really bad way. Soon they rocketed their way toward release and came within seconds of each other.  They leaned against the glass gasping and trying not to slip to the floor of the shower. Once their legs regained some strength they kissed and stepped out.



"Ready to take on the world, little boy?" Brian asked.



"A little exercise first thing really sets you up for the day."



Brian snorted.  "They should have some shots of us in the shower in the morning paper.  That would get everybody going first thing in the morning."



"Don't even say that as a joke.  That's the last thing we need."



They finished toweling off and went to get dressed.  Justin started the coffee and popped some bread in the toaster.  They quickly downed their breakfast such as it was. Brian went to look out the window to find the limo parked in the street.



"I wonder why Chuck didn't buzz?" he said.



"Maybe he did while we were in the shower."



"I guess I better get down there.  I wonder if he has seen the paper."



"He may want you to be more careful for the next while."



"Yeah," Brian said, gave Justin a quick kiss and headed down to the limo.



Chuck hopped out when he saw Brian.  He immediately opened the door of the car for Brian to get in.  He glanced around nervously the whole time.



"I guess you saw the picture?"



"I did.  How did they get that?"



"Somebody's out to get me," Brian said ruefully.



"They may have succeeded.  We need to be really careful the next few days.  I'm going to start surveillance on the loft again.  Don't go anywhere without us knowing."



"Okay," Brian agreed.  "This really sucks."



"Yeah, just when I thought things had quieted down."



"I should have told you and Phydeau when I hired you.  There probably never will be a quiet time."



"That's okay.  Keeps things interesting."



Brian got in the limo and Chuck pulled away.  The drive to City Hall was mostly in silence.



Brian was lost in his own thoughts.  He still felt that he had a black cloud hanging over him and everything he did.  At least he had Justin. That was the one positive thing. They were okay in spite of everything.  He needed that boy more and more. He wondered what would be waiting for him when he got to his office and the fallout from the picture began.  He didn't have long to wait to find out.



The limo pulled up to the main entrance and Brian could see a small cluster of protesters with placards.  He groaned.



"Want me to take you around to the parking garage and you can go up in the elevator from there?" Chuck asked.



"No," Brian decided.  "I'll have to face this sooner or later, so it may as well be sooner.



Brian stepped out of the car to chants of, "Resign, resign.  We don't want a fag for mayor."



Brian was about to sweep past them like they weren't even there, but he stopped and turned towards them.  Chuck had gotten out of the limo to make sure Brian got inside safely.



"Mr. Mayor," he said with a worried tone to his voice, "I think you should go right in.  Ignore them."



"No," Brian replied and walked towards the group.  Justin said he walked away and shut people out when things got difficult.  He'd try facing them this time. It had worked during the campaign. "You want me to resign?" he asked the group.



"Yes," they chorused.



"So the…what…ten of you who are here today get to decide who the mayor of Pittsburgh should be?"



The group looked at each other not really knowing how to answer that.



"We don't care who the mayor is, as long as it isn't you," one man said bluntly.



"Or another fag?" Brian asked.



"Yeah," some of them agreed.



"I was elected like every other mayor … almost.  I intend to serve my term and do as good a job as I can.  What does my personal life have to do with that?"



"You're setting a bad moral tone."



"Why?  Because I love my partner and show some public affection.  Some of you should be so lucky."



A few of the protesters looked a little chastened at that comment.



"If any of you would like to actually talk to me instead of shouting insults, I'll tell my secretary to make you an appointment.  Now I need to get to work."



Brian turned and marched into the building.  If he had looked over at Chuck he would have seen a big grin on the man's face.  That was one of the things Chuck liked about Mayor Kinney. He had balls.

Chapter 10 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 10 *

"Brian," Cynthia said over the intercom.



"Yes," Brian responded.



"There's a lady here to see you.  She says she was one of the protesters from outside.  You said if any of them wanted to speak to you, they should be put through."



Brian was surprised.  He never figured any of the small crowd who had heckled him this morning would actually take him up on his invitation to talk.  "Send her in."



A woman in her mid sixties or thereabouts entered his office.  Cynthia closed the door as she stepped out, leaving them alone.  The woman looked around uneasily and glanced at Brian furtively. Then her eyes locked on a spot on the floor and stayed there.



"You wanted to speak to me?" Brian asked standing behind his desk.



"I … I don't know what I'm doing here.  I should go. I've made a mistake." She turned as if to leave.



"Wait, please," Brian said softly.  "Obviously you had something you wanted to say to me."



She turned slowly and looked at him really for the first time.  He could feel the depth of her stare. She seemed to be searching for something deep inside him.



"Why did you kiss him in public?  Why do you flaunt yourself?"



Brian sighed.  Again with the flaunting; he was sick to death of that word.  "It's a long story."



"I'll go.  I don't want to waste your time."



"Do you really want to know the answer?" Brian asked suddenly feeling that it was important to make her understand.  If he could explain it to her then maybe he could explain it to everyone else as well.



She hesitated as if weighing his words.  "I came here because I wanted to understand," she said.  "I have time if you do."



Brian chuckled.  "Sit down, please."  She took a chair by his desk.  "Would you like something to drink?"



"Water, please.  This is harder than I thought.  I feel kind of parched."



Brian poured her a glass of water from the carafe on the sideboard.  She took a few sips, and then ventured another look at him. Brian sat down in the chair next to her not wanting to have the desk between them.



"I feel like there's something you want to tell me," Brian said.



"I have wondered about you since you first announced you were going to run for mayor."



"Wondered what?"



"Why you would do that?  What kind of man you are?  A whole lot of things."



"Wouldn't you wonder that about any candidate?"



"Oh," she said as if surprised.  "Yes … yes, I guess I would." This wasn't going the way she had expected.



"So what did you want to know about the kind of man I am?" Brian asked.



"My church says that you are an abomination."



Brian gritted his teeth making himself refrain from striking out at that statement.  It sounded way too much like his mother. He gritted his teeth and kept his voice level as he said to her, "Do I look or sound like an abomination?"



She shook her head.  "You sound like a very reasonable and nice young man."



"Thank you."



"So why do you do … that?"



"I do … 'that' because that's what I am.  It's my nature."



"You don't have a choice?"



"Despite what some people would have you think, I don't.  I'm not sick and I can't be cured. I'm just what I am."



She seemed to be digesting that.  "I see," she said slowly. "So why did you kiss him in public?"



"'Him' is my partner, Justin, and I guess the simple answer is I kissed him because I love him."  Brian amazed himself that those words had come so easily out of his mouth. Justin would have loved to hear this.



She smiled just a little.  "My husband would never have shown affection like that in public."



"But you would have liked him to?"



"Yes … yes, I suppose I would have, but he's dead now."



"I'm sorry to hear that."



"He's been gone a long time."  She looked thoughtful. "So you love Justin, and … he loves you?"



"Yes."



"You said that was the simple answer.  Is there more to the story?"



"Yes."



"Would you tell me?"



"It's not easy for me to talk about it."



"It's bad?"



"Part of it."



"Oh, then you don't have to tell me."



"I think I do want to tell you … um … I don't know your name."



"Louise."



"So, Louise, you may have noticed that Justin is a little … younger than I am."



"Yes, I did."



Brian grimaced.  "When we met he was still in high school.  I'm twelve years older than him."



"My husband was nine years older than me," Louise said encouraging Brian to continue.



"He invited me to his prom."



"He did?  Did you go?"  She looked slightly horrified.



"At first I told him no, but then some things happened.  He went with his best friend, Daphne, and I showed up near the end of the prom.  He was so surprised and we danced in front of his whole class … all by ourselves with everybody watching."  Brian got a wistful look in his eye like he was reliving the whole thing. "I kissed him when the song ended."



"That sounds like a good thing so far," Louise said.  "What's the bad part?"



"It's coming.  I whisked him out to my car and he said this was the best night of his life.  I kissed him again and he went to go back inside to take Daphne home. He was going to meet me later."



Brian's eyes revealed the pain of what was to come.  "You can stop if it's too hard," Louise told him.



Brian shook his head.  He had started this and he would finish the story for the first time since it had happened.  He had never been able to get the whole thing out before, never wanted to.



"I got in the Jeep and I could see him in the side mirror walking away and looking back over his shoulder to smile at me.  He turned away and there was this kid from the prom with a baseball bat and he raised it and swung at Justin's head. And I couldn't move fast enough.  I screamed his name but it was too late." A single tear rolled down Brian's cheek. He quickly wiped it away.



"What happened to Justin?"



"He was in a coma for three days and then weeks of rehab.  He's an artist and he almost lost his ability to draw."



"That's awful.  Is he all right now?"



"Yes, almost good as new."



"Why would somebody do that?"



"The same reason you were out there this morning.  We're fags and people hate us for that very fact."



"I … I don't hate you."



"I know that, or you wouldn't be sitting here talking to me.  You would never have come to my office."



"Nobody else would come with me to see you.  They are all part of my church, but they didn't want to talk to you.  They just want you to go away."



"That's what the kid wanted who bashed Justin.  He almost made him go away … forever."



Brian saw her shiver.  In a minute she seemed to recover a little bit.



"So what does that have to do with the kiss in the paper?" she asked in a slightly shaky voice.



"After Justin was bashed he had some lingering problems.  He still has trouble with his right hand sometimes and nightmares.  He can't remember that night. He couldn't remember the dance or the kiss at his prom.  I thought I could give him a new memory at the inaugural. It was almost the same," Brian said with a little catch in his throat.  "But I probably shouldn't have done it."



"Oh, yes, you should have.  That was a very lovely gesture," Louise stated.



Brian looked at her and smiled slightly.  "May I ask why you came with your church group.  I can tell you don't really want to follow that path."



He could see her blush.  "I … do you have time for this?  I know you must be busy."



"I told you my secrets.  I'd like to know yours," he said with a twinkle in his eye.



"I've been seeing this man from our church.  It's the first time I've had … companionship since my husband died.  It was nice. He wanted to come this morning. In fact he was one of the organizers.  He's a bit of a bigot as I found out today. He wouldn't listen to me about talking to you.  I finally told him I was coming up here whether he liked it or not."



"I take it he didn't like it."



"No, they left without me.  He told me to get in the car, but I refused.  I came up here instead."



"So where does that leave you?"


"I won't be seeing him anymore, and I doubt I'll go back to that church.  There are other ones in my neighborhood that might have a better policy about such things as …"



"Homosexuality."



"Yes."


"I think you've been very brave, Louise."



"I don't know about that.  It took me almost an hour to get up enough gumption to come up here.  I sat in the lobby so long that a guard came over to ask what I was doing.  I think they thought I might be a terrorist."



They both chuckled at that.  Brian looked at her thinking that this could have been his own mother.  She was about the right age and she had many of the same values. Why could he talk to her and make her understand when he couldn't do that with his own mother.  Maybe it was because she had a good heart and his own mother didn't seem to have a heart at all. Brian made a quick decision.



"Louise, would you come for a cup of coffee with me.  There's a little café down on the first floor."



"Oh, I couldn't do that.  I've taken up enough of your time."



"I can make the time and I'd like to talk to you some more."



"Really?  Then certainly, Mr. Mayor," she said with a smile.



"Call me Brian."



"Thank you, Brian.  I'd be pleased to have coffee with you."



Brian told Cynthia where they were going and asked her to hold the fort until they returned.  Cynthia smiled as she watched them get on the elevator. Her boss could charm the pants off anyone.



Louise and Brian talked over coffee for almost an hour.  He found out more about her husband and family. They never had any children much to their regret.  Brian told her a bit about his own mother and their strained relationship as he chose to call it. Louise was very sympathetic, but recommended that Brian talk to his mother every chance he got.  She was sure someone as kind and eloquent as Brian could convince his mother to change her attitude eventually. Brian said he would try, but he knew that was very unlikely.



Finally Louise said she better let him get back to work.  She would have to take several buses to get back to her home.  They stood up to leave. Brian walked her out to the lobby. He asked her to wait for a minute while he went to make a call.  She looked around nervously as the guard seemed to be eyeing her with some concern.



When Brian returned he walked her out to the covered entranceway.



"I'm glad I came up to speak to you," she said.



"I'm glad you did too."



"I … learned a lot.  You are a fine man and I'm sure you'll be a great mayor."



Brian smiled.  "It's a little early for that prediction.  I'm barely keeping my head above water at this point.  There's so much to learn."



"You can do it.  I have faith in you."



"Thank you, Louise."  For some reason her faith in him meant a lot.



"You'll do fine," she said and suddenly she was hugging him and giving him a little peck on the cheek.  "I hope you don't mind," she said blushing a little. "I just felt I had to do that."



"I didn't mind a bit."  He wished his own mother…  Brian immediately squelched that idea.  He wasn't going to go there.



Just then a limousine pulled up in the driveway.



"This must be somebody important.  Do you have to greet them?" she asked Brian.



"I already have."  Chuck got out of the car and held the door open.  "This is Chuck, my driver. If you tell him where you live, he'll see that you get home safely," Brian told her.



"Oh my, I couldn't."



"Yes, you can.  My treat."



"Oh, thank you so much."  She walked over to the car and slid in.



"Ma'am," Chuck said as he closed the door.  He gave Brian a wink and got into the driver's seat.  The car pulled away. Brian gave a little wave and turned to go back into the building.  Things were looking up.



                                                              -----



Justin had dinner ready when Brian arrived home around 6:30.



"You didn't have to cook," Brian said after they had greeted each other.



"I know, but I thought it might be nice.  Did you have a good day?"



"Yes and no."



"What does that mean?"



"I'm going to change and then I'll tell you while we eat."



"Okay," Justin said watching Brian go up to the bedroom.  He wondered what had happened and he wanted to tell Brian about his own day.  He hoped the man asked.



Once they had taken a few bites of the chicken and roasted vegetables, Brian said, "You really are a good cook."



Justin beamed at him.  He loved it when Brian complimented him.  "Thanks. So, are you going to tell me what happened today?"



"I arrived at City Hall to about ten protesters," Brian began.



"Didn't take them long."


"No, it didn't.  I was going to walk right past them like they weren't even there, but something told me to confront them."



"You didn't, did you?  You have to be careful."



"I know, but Chuck was right there, and sometimes I just get sick of being careful."



"That's an understatement."  Brian gave him a look. "So what happened?"


"They backed off like all bullies once I called them on it.  I told them that if they wanted to talk to me to come on up to the office.  One of them did."



"Really?  I'm surprised.  What did he say?"



"I was surprised too, but it wasn't a 'he'.  It was Louise who turned out to be this really nice middle aged woman who sort of got dragged along to the protest by her bigot boyfriend."



"Jesus, they do find you, don't they?"



Brian snorted.  "We had a long chat and came to sort of an understanding."



"An understanding?  About what?"



"She wanted to know why we were flaunting ourselves in public by kissing like that.  I could learn to detest that fucking word!"



"Somebody said that to me today too."



"Who?"



"Some of the guys at school had seen the picture and started in on me about making my personal life public and being a celebrity, 'married' to the mayor."



Brian grimaced at the choice of words.  "Did they give you a hard time?"



"Not really.  I go to a fine arts school, remember.  A lot of them are gay too. I think they were jealous."  Justin was rather pleased in fact that his classmates had been jealous.  He knew how lucky he was to have a hot partner, a great lover and a wonderful man.



"Louise said she wished her husband had shown public affection like that.  I … I ended up telling her about the prom and why we danced and kissed at the inaugural."



"You did?  You never talk about the prom."



"I think it was good for me to get it out.  It was the first time I ever told the whole story to anyone."



"Do you think you could tell me more about that night?" Justin asked in a small voice.



"I think maybe I can now," Brian admitted.  It would be easier now that he had talked about it with Louise.



"I still want to know a few things about what happened."



"You do?  You never said anything."



"Every time I brought up the prom you got this look on your face.  I couldn't ask you when I knew how much it hurt you."



Brian looked knowingly at his partner.  "You're right. I probably would have bitten your head off or walked out," he admitted.



"You think?" Justin giggled.



Brian made a face at him, but then smiled.  "After we finish this, let's have another glass of wine and I'll try to answer whatever you want to know."



"I'd like that," Justin said softly.  "Now that was the good stuff. What was the bad?"



"Tomorrow I get to chair my first council meeting."

Chapter 11 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 11 *

Brian paced in his office.  He had an hour before he went down to the council room to chair his first meeting.  He had a feeling it wasn't going to be easy. Pacing helped to relieve some of the tension.  He was about as ready for this meeting as he was going to get. Geoffrey had gone over the agenda with him.  They had limited it to simple topics as much as possible, no hot button items. Brian had studied all the positions on each topic and had decided where he stood.  He thought he was ready to defend his choices.



Then why did he feel so uneasy?  He shook his head. Maybe it had something to do with the group of protesters who had greeted him as he arrived at City Hall.  They had set the tone for the day. Unlike yesterday's small group this was a much bigger and more vocal one. They were better organized and chanted relentlessly at him.  He had been tempted to speak to them as he had with the other group, but he quickly realized they would not listen. They had no intention of paying him any such courtesy. They wanted him to know how much they hated him.  He could feel it, palpable in the air.



He had quickly gone inside and made his way to his office.  He hated all this negativity that surrounded everything he did.  He was used to getting satisfaction from his job. Now all he got was criticism and protests, and they weren't even about his job.  They were about his personal life. Why he had ever agreed to run for mayor seemed to loom as a larger and larger question mark.



Cynthia buzzed.



"Yeah?" Brian responded.



"Councilman Jankowski is here.  He would like to talk to you," she said.



"Send him in," Brian said with a sigh.  He had met Jankowski like all the rest of the councilors, but he had no real idea where he stood on any issues or in relation to him.  Brian wondered what shit he was going to lay on him now.



"Frank Jankowski," the man said holding out his hand.  Brian shook it. It was firm and even supportive in some sort of strange way.  Brian had always been able to get a read on men from their handshake. Weak ones meant weak personalities and sometimes backstabbers.  Wet ones meant the person was nervous and had some kind of undercover agenda. Firm ones meant the person was secure and knew what they wanted.  As he continued to run down the list, Jankowski's "Mr. Mayor" drew Brian back to the present situation.



"Sorry," Brian said, "I'm a little distracted this morning."



"I saw the protesters outside," Jankowski said.



"Yeah.  It just gets better and better."



Jankowski gave a little laugh.  Brian felt there was nothing threatening about this man.  He seemed quite jovial and straightforward. Brian wondered what he wanted.



"I guess you're wondering why I'm here," Jankowski said.



"That's true."



"Something has come to my attention that I thought you should know about."



"What's that?" Brian had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.



"It started a couple of days ago.  I got a call from one of the other councilors asking me if I supported you."



"Supported me?"



"Yeah, the implication being that there were those who didn't."



"I don't need any of your support," Brian said testily.  "I'm the elected mayor."



"Take it easy, son," Jankowski said with a little laugh.  "The truth is you do need our support. Any program you want to push has to be voted on in council.  If you don't get a majority, nothing proceeds."



"Fuck!" Brian reacted.



Jankowski seemed to be sizing him up.  The pause was excruciating.



"I guess I shouldn't have said that," Brian conceded.  He felt like shit more than ever.



"I understand the sentiment," Jankowski responded.



"So why are you telling me this?"



"Forewarned is forearmed."



"So they say," Brian said with a grimace.



"My wife sat beside your … Justin at the swearing in ceremony.  She really took a shine to him."



"Most people do."  Brian couldn't help but smile.



"When I told her there was some backroom scheming going on against you she told me I better help you."



Brian wished the backroom stuff had to do with Babylon not the kind this man was talking about.  That he would have been able to handle. "So are you telling me that there is some sort of … conspiracy to defeat anything I want to do?"



"You got it."



"So what can I do about it, and why are you warning me?"



"I told you, my wife liked Justin and by proxy you.  I always trust her judgment."



"What can we do about this?"



"I have done a few things already.  I spoke to the more liberal councilors and told them that I was going to support you, give you a chance."



"You did?  Thanks, Mr. Jankowski."



"It's Frank, and don't be thanking me too quickly.  I can always change my mind if you let me down."



"I'll try not to," Brian said sincerely.  He liked this man.



"So, there are several of us who are prepared to give you a chance, but there is a group out to get you that is about equal in size.  There are a few councilors who are waffling and I don't know which way they'll go. They're the ones you need to sway to your camp."



"And how do you propose that I do that?" Brian asked trying to keep the sarcasm out of his voice.  He suddenly felt defeated.



"I think you should make a little speech at the beginning of the session.  Tell them that you know what's been going on and that you hope you can count on their fairness if not their support.  Tell them that all you want is a chance to prove yourself."



"Will that do any good?"



"Well, you're the mayor.  Use some of your campaign eloquence and get them to give you a chance.  That's all you need. After that it will be up to you to defend your positions and make it difficult for them to vote against you."



Brian thought about this.  He could come up with a plea that might sway some of them.  He had done so with the protesters. He had done it with Louise.  This wouldn't be that much different. And according to Frank he did have some supporters.



"Thanks, Frank.  I'll give it a shot."



"Good," said Frank.  "I better get out of your way and let you prepare yourself.  See you in the meeting, Mr. Mayor."



"I appreciate your support, and call me Brian."



"Good luck, Brian," Frank said as he went out the door.



Brian went to his computer.  He had a speech to write, maybe the most important one so far.



                                                               -----



Brian walked into the council chambers a few minutes before two.  He knew this was going to be difficult, but he kept telling himself it wasn't so different from convincing a new client that Vangard had the best ideas to market their product.  All he had to do was market himself.



He glanced at Frank Jankowski who was absorbed in conversation with another councilor.  He wondered if Frank was trying to earn him another convert. He hoped so. Geoffrey had briefed Brian on the protocol of the meetings.  At precisely two o'clock Brian would place himself at the head of the council and rap the gavel to call the meeting to order. Jeannette Benoit was the secretary who would take attendance.  Once that was done the mayor had the prerogative of saying a few words. He had written the best speech he could in the short time that he had to do it. He hoped it would be enough.



He looked at the clock at the back of the chamber and walked over to his seat.  He rapped his gavel forcefully enough to get everyone's attention.



"Ladies and gentlemen," he said, "please take your seats.  We are ready to begin."



The group began moving towards their seats.  Many glanced at each other and at Brian. He tried to get a read on what they were thinking, but nothing came through clearly.  This was going to be tough.



Jeannette began the roll call.  Brian watched each person respond and did his best to memorize the names and faces.  He hoped he could remember most of them. Jeannette finished up and looked at Brian, effectively turning the meeting over to him.



Brian cleared his throat.  All of the councilors looked at him expectantly.  Some of them seemed rather smug, like they knew he was going to fail.  That egged Brian on. He loved to do the unexpected, best them at their own game.



"I understand that the mayor has the floor for the first few minutes of these meetings.  He can set the tone for what is to follow," Brian stated.



He saw some of them look knowingly at each other.  They thought he couldn't handle this. They thought they had him by the short and fuzzies.  However, as much as they thought they knew what was going to happen, Brian was sure they didn't know him at all, didn't know what he was capable of.



"It has come to my attention that there is a small, and I emphasize that word 'small', group of you who think you can sabotage this meeting and hijack any agenda that I might have in mind for this council."



He saw the looks pass between some of the people seated in front of him.  He could now start to discern who was against him and who was for him.



"You are right; you can sabotage me."  He paused to let his words sink in. He saw Frank Jankowski give him a concerned look.  Others sat back smugly. They thought he was giving in. "But," he raised his voice," that can only happen if those of you who are really fair and decent people decide to go along with those who are not.  I've heard about some of the backroom maneuvering that has been going on. I understand that some of you don't like me.



"I would say fine to that if you even knew me in the first place.  Those of you who have been plotting against me haven't even talked to me or bothered to find out what I might stand for.  You don't care because it must be something bad or evil. I am a fag, you know."



There was a gasp from several people.  That word still got a rise, especially from bigots.



"I am asking those of you with open minds and, dare I say open hearts, to think about what you are going to do here today.  Do you want to be the one or two or three votes that makes this council incapable of governing? If you force a stalemate, then nothing will be accomplished.  You won't be doing your job and I won't be doing mine, because you'll be effectively blocking me.



"Is that what you were elected to do?  Is that what your constituents would expect of you?  I thought we were all elected to run this city to the best of our ability.  That's sure as shit, pardon my French, what I came here to do.



"So I'm going to make a proposal to those of you who care to listen.  I want you to give me a chance to show you what I stand for. Give me time to bring forward the agenda I have decided on.  If you don't like it, debate it with me. I like to hear good ideas, and if you have better ones than I do, that's great. All I ask is for you to listen, speak your mind and make an informed choice.  Vote the way that will make Pittsburgh the best place in which to live. You might be pleasantly surprised at what we can accomplish."



Brian sat down.  He glanced at Frank who had a big grin on his face.  Several other councilors looked rather uncomfortable.  A few stared at him curiously.



A woman stood up.  "The chair recognizes Theresa Abela," Brian said.  He hoped he had gotten her name right. She smiled at the effort he had made to pronounce her name correctly.



"Mr. Mayor, I have to admit that I am one of those people who has not bothered to meet you halfway, to talk to you and to find out what you are all about.  I thank you for the reminder of what we are here to do. I for one plan to honor what you have just requested."



As she sat down several people said, "Here, here!"



Brian smiled to himself.  That was a good sign. Bigots never wanted to reveal themselves if they were in the minority.  They were only strong when they thought they had the majority. He hoped he had just taken that away from them.



"Then let's get to work, and see what we can accomplish this fine afternoon.  The first item on the agenda is…"



                                                               -----



Brian walked into his office and collapsed on the sofa.  He sighed and laid his head against the armrest. That fucking meeting had taken every ounce of strength he possessed, but he had done it.



The first item on the agenda about public transit had been close.  He had supported an extra three million dollar addition to the transit budget to buy new buses and set up some new routes.  He had defended the increase, basing a lot of what he had said on Justin's experiences riding the bus. Most of the people he had figured were in the group opposed to him had spoken against the increase, but they had few convincing arguments.  Brian had been much more eloquent, thanks to Geoffrey for figures and Justin for heart.



Brian smiled.  He'd have to thank Justin properly tonight.  He felt his pants tighten slightly and groaned at the effect just thinking about the young man had on his dick.



He tried to focus back on the council meeting.  The vote on the transit increase had been close – seventeen to fifteen in his favor.  He never got to vote. The mayor was the tiebreaker and only voted if the others were deadlocked.  He didn't have to do that this time. He had won enough of them over to get that item through.



Things had gone better from there.  The rest of the items had not been quite as close.  Brian began to feel that the councilors were actually voting their conscience, basing their choices on what was best for the city.  That was exactly what he had asked them to do. He couldn't have hoped for more.



One item had been defeated.  It was about creating a park in memory of some councilor who had died the previous year.  Surprisingly it had been defeated even though Brian had favored it because he felt that the poor bastard should have some kind of recognition.  Others had spoken about setting a precedent that they might not want to follow in the future. Did every councilman who died deserve a park? What about those in the past who had died and had not received the same tribute?  Finally and mercifully it was defeated. Brian was almost glad. That kind of stupid political correctness drove him nuts.



Overall it had been a successful meeting.  He was proud of himself. He had managed to get past the trap they had set for him.  It had to get easier from here on out.



The buzz of the intercom pulled him from his replay of the meeting.  Wearily he dragged himself up from the couch and went to his desk.



"Yeah," he said.



"Mr. Jankowski is here to see you," Cynthia told him.



"Send him in."  Brian straightened his tie and smoothed his pant legs creased from lying on the couch.



Frank opened the door and entered the office.  "You did very well down there today," Frank said holding out his hand to Brian.  Brian shook it warmly. "You did yourself proud."


"Thanks," Brian said.  He felt a bit like a kid whose father just praised him for getting a hit in the baseball game.  That wasn't something he had any experience with, but this must be how the kid would feel. "I owe it all to you.  I could never have gotten through that unscathed without your warning and your help behind the scenes."



"It was my pleasure.  You did an excellent job chairing the meeting.  I think we got a lot accomplished today."



"We did."



"Well, I'll get out of your hair and go home to my lovely wife.  I think I deserve a big reward. She'll be so pleased with the way things went today."



"Speaking of your wife … do you think she and yourself of course would like to come to dinner on Friday night?  I'd like to properly thank both of you for helping me."



"I'll have to ask her.  I learned a long time ago to never make arrangements without consulting her first.  Personally I'd love to come."



"I guess I should check with Justin too."



"My advice, do that before you ask.  It'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run."



Brian smiled at that.  "You've got that right.  Why don't we both check and make the arrangements tomorrow when we have permission from our … partners?"



"Much safer," Frank agreed and they both laughed.  Brian liked this man more and more.



                                                              -----



"Hey, Sunshine," Brian called as he entered the loft.



"Hey," Justin responded from the alcove where his desk was located.



"I'm glad you're home.  I have something to tell you."



"You must have had a good day by the look on your face."



"I did," Brian grinned.



"The council meeting went well?"



Brian nodded.  "I almost got sabotaged before it ever started though."



"Explain," Justin said with a worried look on his face.



Brian went to grab a beer and motioned to Justin to see if he wanted one.  Justin nodded and they took them over to the sofa.



"Do you remember Mrs. Jankowski from the swearing in ceremony?"



Justin looked thoughtful for a moment, then he said, "Oh, Maria."



"Yes, I guess that's her name.  Anyway you made a great impression on her that day."



"I did?  She was a nice lady.  Made me feel comfortable there with all the other 'spouses'."



Brian let that pass without comment.  "Her husband Frank's a nice man too. He came to my office this morning and warned me that there was a group of councilors out to hijack the agenda of the meeting and make it impossible for me to get anything done."



"No!"



"Yes.  He said Maria liked you and therefore had told him he better help me.  So he spoke to some of the councilors and got them on my side and came and warned me."



"So what did you do?"



"I invited them to dinner."



"I meant in the meeting," Justin giggled.



"I made a speech to the councilors about doing their job and being fair.  I told them I was always open to good ideas, but they needed to listen to mine too and judge accordingly."



"And they did?"



"Yep, got through the whole meeting without any trouble.  The first vote was a little dicey, but after that it went well."



"That's great, now what was this about a dinner?"



"I invited Frank and Maria to dinner on Friday, but he told me he never accepts invitations without consulting his wife.  He said I should do the same. So what do you think?"



Justin stared at him.  He wondered if Brian fully realized what he had just called him.  He was making Justin his spouse in deeds if not in words. Justin's blistering smile lit up his face.



"What?" Brian asked.



Justin knew better than to pursue what he was thinking.  He'd just bask in the knowledge for awhile. "I think having them for dinner would be great," he said.



"Good.  I have a reward for you too."



"You do?"



"I used some of your experiences on the buses of Pittsburgh to convince the council to pass the first agenda item which was about more money for public transit."



"Good for you!  We need better buses."



"So I have a reward for you.  Come here."



Justin slid closer and Brian wrapped his arms around him and kissed him in a way that almost blew his socks off.  Brian was a great kisser, but sometimes he outdid himself and this was one of those times.



"Whew!" Justin responded when Brian broke the kiss.  Both their cocks had hardened as they pressed against each other.  "Is that all I get?" Justin asked with a sly grin.



"No, Sunshine, there's much more."  Brian began removing articles of clothing.



Being a help to his partner, being consulted like a true spouse, being treated as an important part of the equation, did life get any better?  Brian's hand closed around his cock and he knew it did.


Chapter 12 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 12 *

Justin fussed around the apartment.  He was driving Brian crazy. You would think this was the first time they had ever invited people to the loft for a dinner.  Well, it was, but he needed to calm down.



"Justin, come here," Brian said.  He had gotten home from work about an hour ago and had tried to stay out of Justin's way as much as possible.  The boy apparently didn't want his help.



"In a minute.  I want to be sure everything's perfect."  He continued to line up the knives with the sides of the plates.



"Come here!" Brian said more forcefully.



Justin knew that tone of voice.  He gave a last miniscule move to a spoon and walked over to Brian who sat on the couch.



"Sit down," Brian ordered.  Justin sat. "You're going to drive me and our fucking guests insane unless you stop obsessing over every little detail.  Relax."



"I can't.  This is our first dinner party and I want to make a good impression for you … and for myself."



"You'll make a good impression.  Stop worrying. Maria already thinks you're the next best thing to sliced bread, and Frank will like you too."


Justin looked about ready to cry.  "I … I'm sorry. I'm being stupid. But I want this to go well."



"It will if you fucking relax."



Brian pulled him close and kissed him gently.  Justin leaned his head on Brian's chest. For half a second Brian thought he had made some progress with the nervous boy.



"Did you set out all the drink stuff?  What if they ask for something we don't have?  Did you open the wine to let it breathe?"


"Shut up," Brian said before he captured Justin's mouth in another kiss.  "I'm going to take you up to the bedroom and plant my dick so far up your ass you won't be able to breathe."



Justin got this look of terror on his face.  "Brian, you can't. They'll be here any minute."



"I can and I will if you don't stop fussing."



A buzzing sound announced that their guests had arrived.  Brian said hello and released the door.



"Do I look all right?" Justin asked smoothing his clothes from where Brian had mussed them.



"You look fine.  Take my hand."



Gratefully Justin placed his hand in Brian's and the older man squeezed gently telling him everything would be all right.  Justin smiled as best he could. Brian pulled back the loft door as the elevator came into view.



"Evening, Frank," Brian said extending his hand.



"Brian," Frank responded.  "This is my wife Maria. I don't think you two have been formally introduced."



Brian took her hand too and shook it gently.  He was tempted to kiss it but thought that might be a little over the top even for a fag like him.  "Maria, I think I owe you a debt of gratitude. I hear it was you who convinced this fine gentleman to come to my rescue before the first council meeting."



Justin could see Maria blush.  Brian did have charm to the nth degree when he wanted to lay it on.



"I only told him to see that you got a fair chance.  Hello, Justin," she said.



Justin beamed at her.  "Hi, Maria, it's good to see you again."



"Frank, this is my…Justin as you called him the other day."



"You did?" Justin asked.



"I wasn't quite sure exactly how to define your relationship, so I said that," Frank replied shaking Justin's hand and giving a little chuckle.



Justin could see why Brian liked this man.  "Funny," Justin said, "you're not the only one who has trouble defining our relationship."  Justin looked at Brian and grinned.



"Come on in," Brian said hoping to redirect the conversation to something more to his liking.



They stepped inside and Justin closed the door behind them.



"Oh my," he heard Maria say.



"Is something wrong?" he asked her, afraid that he had done something wrong already or made some kind of unwitting faux pas.



"This is a beautiful space," she said looking around, "not at all what I expected."



"Thanks," said Justin pleased that she liked the place.  "But most of it is Brian's choice."



"Then he has good taste and you have good taste for choosing him," Maria stated.



Justin was somehow gratified by her approval of their lives and living space.  He liked her and her husband and felt they would probably never be critical of him, at least not openly.  But her enthusiastic approval pleased him no end.



"Would you care for a drink?" Brian asked them.



"Do you make a martini?" Maria asked.



"I certainly do," Justin said knowing people had liked his drinks at Michael's party.



"Then I'll have one of those."



"How about you, Frank," Brian asked.



"A beer would suit me just fine."



"Me too," said Brian and he got two beers out of the fridge.



"Brian, would you give me a tour of your loft while Justin makes my martini?" Maria said.



"Sure," Brian agreed thinking to himself how many times he had told tricks that there were tours every hour when they had been impressed with his digs.  But they weren't digs anymore and he didn't have to play the big man with tricks. Justin had changed all that. This was his home now, their home. "Let's start with the bedroom."


While Brian ushered Maria up to the bedroom Justin began making the martini.  Frank watched him. When Justin picked up the vermouth, Frank waggled his finger.



"Just pass it over the glass," he warned Justin.  "She really wants straight gin with an olive stuck in it."



Justin grinned at him and did as Frank indicated.  "Maria, your martini is ready," Justin called.



"Be there in a minute."



"What are you going to have to drink?" Frank asked Justin.



"I think I'll stick to water and have wine with dinner."



"Not much of a drinker?"



"I like a drink but to tell you the truth, I'm a little nervous about this dinner party."



"You are?  Why?"



"This is really the first dinner party like this that Brian has asked me to give.  We haven't been together all that long."



"But I read about the bashing in the papers."  He saw Justin wince. "I'm sorry. I should watch what I say.  But I thought you and Brian had been together for a couple of years."



"We were together … sort of, but not as a couple back then.  We broke up for awhile and we haven't been back together too long."



"I see.  My daughter has been together with this man for five years … on and off.  They keep breaking up and getting back together. Drives us all crazy. Is that how it is with you two?"



"Not really.  I was young when we first met and I needed some experience before I committed to this kind of relationship."



"It sounds like there's more of a story there, but maybe another time."



Justin nodded gratefully as Maria and Brian returned.  Maria took a sip of her martini and pronounced it perfect.  Justin smiled at Frank.



They moved over to the living room and Justin offered them some salmon mousse as an hors d'oeuvre.  Maria loved it and Frank had several pieces. They chatted about living in Pittsburgh and how long Frank had been a councilor.  They had a son about the same age as Brian as well as their daughter.



Maria was very interested that Brian had a son.  That always took a little explaining. Of course she wanted to see some pictures, so they dragged out all the ones they had.  Brian told her that Justin had done some sketches of Gus that were excellent. She wanted to see those too, but Justin insisted they eat first or his dinner would be ruined.



They enjoyed the rest of the evening finding many interests in common.  Considering the age difference they were all surprised that they thought and felt so much alike. Justin shared some of his sketches and basked in the praise from their guests and also from Brian.



A little after ten the Jankowskis took their leave.  They thanked Justin for a wonderful dinner and Brian for inviting them.  He thanked them for their support and they all promised to do this again soon.



When Brian slid the door shut he found Justin's arms draped around his neck and one of his legs wrapped around his hips.  The young man kissed him for all he was worth, and with Justin that was saying something. Finally Justin broke the kiss with a smack.



Brian looked at him as Justin continued to cling all over him.  "What was that for?" Brian asked with a smirk.



"That was for having faith in me to host this dinner party, and for inviting such nice people."



"They are nice, aren't they?" Brian said a touch sadly.



"What's wrong?" Justin asked studying his face.  He could tell that something was bothering Brian.



Brian shook his head.



"Tell me," Justin said.



"All right," Brian replied slowly, "but let's clean up while I do."



They went to the kitchen and began loading the dishwasher and clearing the table.



"So tell me," Justin finally said, when Brian remained quiet.



"I had a chat with Maria when I was showing her the bedroom," Brian began.



"I figured you would.  What did she say?"



"She thought I must have a mother who was into interior design, who had trained me to make such stunning choices for my décor, as she put it."



"Oh," said Justin knowing that a comment about Brian learning anything from his mother would normally set him off.  He tried so hard to be totally unlike her or his father. "What did you say?"



"I guess I wasn't very gracious when I told her my mother had nothing to do with it.  She probed a little further and I told her we didn't get along."



"So, what did she say to that?"



"The same thing Louise told me, not to cut her off, keep talking."



"They don't know your mother, Brian.  I know how difficult she makes things for you."



"Yeah … but twice in one week women about my mother's age have told me to try to talk to her.  Maybe I should."



Justin was surprised.  Brian never cut his mother any slack and he couldn't say that he blamed him about that.  "She did agree to stay out of the election," Justin said trying to put a positive spin on what Brian was saying.



Brian stared at him.  Justin could see the wheels turning.  "You know, I can't help but wonder what my life would have been like if my mother was Maria or Louise."



"Very different, I'm sure," Justin said.  "But then you probably wouldn't have me," he added with a little laugh.  "Hell, you probably wouldn't even be gay."



"You think?"



"I'm just kidding.  You would have totally different DNA though, so who knows."



"Do you think I should try talking to my mother … again?" Brian asked seriously.



"You know me.  I'm a talker." Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek at that statement, and rolled his eyes.  "I always think you should try to talk things out, but your mother is a hard case. Would you be prepared for the letdown if she doesn't budge?"



"You mean when she tells me I'm going to Hell and to get the fuck out?"



"Yeah."



"I'm not sure I can ever get used to that."



"Who could?"



"Let's go to bed.  I want to fuck the hostess with the mostest," Brian teased.



"You have such impeccable manners.  How could I refuse an invitation like that?"  He snaked his arm around Brian's waist and they made a hasty retreat to the bedroom.



                                                             -----



Brian stood on the front porch of his mother's house.  He had told Chuck to go get a coffee somewhere and come back in an hour.  He slowly raised his hand and pushed the doorbell button. After a minute or two he pushed it again.  It was four in the afternoon. He thought she should be home. What the fuck was he going to do if she wasn't?



He had called Chuck to come get him early only partly thinking about visiting his mother.  Now he was stuck here if she wasn't around. He looked around to see a mostly empty neighborhood.  He could call Chuck back or walk to the nearest cross street and hope for a cab. As he was about to leave, he heard the lock being turned and the door slowly opened.



"Brian?" she said slowly only slurring the word a little bit.



"Great!" he thought.  "She's already three sheets to the fucking wind."



"Come in," she said stepping back.



"Maybe only two sheets to the wind," he thought as he entered.  "This ought to be fun either way."



"What are you doing here?"



"You are my mother," he said pointedly.



"And you're the mayor, a big shot.  I never expected to have you come here."



"Well, wonder of wonders, here I am."



"Would … would you like a drink?  I … I think I'll have another."


"Mom, can we just sit down and talk for a minute.  I don't want a drink."



"Well I do."  She started towards the kitchen.



"Wait … please."



She hesitated and turned to face him.  He almost never said please to her. "Let's sit in the living room," she said going there instead.  "What can I do for you?" she asked when they were seated.



"That's a loaded question," Brian thought.  "Act like a mother, be glad to see me, love me," all ran through his head.  Out loud he said, "I haven't seen you since the election. I wanted to thank you again for staying out of it."



"I never thought you'd win, you know," she said.  "My friends were pleased for me."



"I'm so happy for you," he said sarcastically.  She seemed to miss the sarcasm. "They do say alcohol dulls your senses," Brian thought.  Her friends were happy for her, but was she happy for him? She never said so.


"Why did you come here?"



"Aren't you happy to see me?  You can tell your friends you had a visit from the mayor."



"Don't be supercilious," she warned.



He was about to say something to the effect that he was amazed she could get out such a big word after all she'd had to drink, but he stopped himself.  He hadn't come here to fight.


"I …I'm not sure why I came," he said slowly.  "Sometimes I just want us to get along. I hate all the fighting."



"What brought about this change of heart?" she asked, her voice full of acrimony.



He sighed.  She never gave an inch.  "Mom, I want you to be proud of me," he finally managed to get out.



"Since when?  You've never given a fig what I think."



"I have, believe it or not."  He could feel his anger rising and did his best to push it down.



"Well, I don't believe it.  You never do anything that doesn't benefit you.  You don't care what happens to me, what I might be feeling."



Brian took a deep breath, but he knew it was too late.  "Right the fuck back at ya, Mom! When do you ever think about any fucking thing I might be feeling?  I always thought that was a mother's job, but not in this fucking family!"



Brian stood and walked towards the door.



"That's right!  Walk out like you always do.  You don't care about your own family, just that blond boy!"



"You're right, Mom, but at least he cares back which is more than I can fucking say for you."



"Take your foul mouth and get out!"



"Don't worry.  I can't get out of here fast enough.  In fact I'm fucking sorry I ever came."



"Goodbye, darling," she called sarcastically as he slammed the door behind him.



"Fuck!  Fuck! Fuck!" he cursed as he stomped down the sidewalk to the road.  He looked around hoping that Chuck might have parked down the street somewhere.  No such luck.



He pulled out his cell phone and hit Chuck's number.  He told the man to come pick him up immediately at the corner of his mother's street.  Chuck said he would be there in five minutes.



Brian had to get away from this house.  He began walking towards the corner. He could feel the tears burning his eyes and he fought to keep them back.  Louise and Maria were fucking idiots for making him think he could talk to that bitch. He should have known better, should never have gone there.



Brian felt the cold seep through the soles of his shoes.  He should have boots on to be out walking in the snow and ice.  Who knew? He hadn't planned for things to go like this. He had lasted what – five fucking minutes in his mother's presence before they were fighting.  Jesus Christ, he was stupid! Stupid to think he could reason with her, stupid to think she cared even one tiny particle about him.



Tears blurred his vision but he pushed on down the street trying to keep his dress shoes from upending him on the ice.  He cursed himself, his mother, Justin, Louise and Maria. Nobody knew the depths of his need for a mother, nobody knew how much he wanted to have someone love him and take care of him, and nobody knew how great his hate had just become.  He would never go to that house again. It was finished.



He stomped to the corner looking for the limo.  It wasn't there yet. Fuck! This day just got better and better.  He heard a car squeal its tires and suddenly he felt himself rise into the air and then hit something hard.  He felt the air rush from his body, felt excruciating pain, and then blackness.

Chapter 13 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 13 *

Justin rushed into the emergency room of the same hospital where he had spent so much time after the bashing.  He saw Chuck immediately and hurried over to him.



"Where is he?  Is he all right?  How bad is it?" he demanded.



"Easy, Justin," Chuck said.  "I don't know. They have him inside and I guess they're working on him.  Nobody's come out to tell me anything."



"Fuck!  How bad did it look?"



"He was unconscious when I found him, but he came around before the paramedics arrived.  He was pretty groggy and in quite a bit of pain, but I think he'll be all right."



"Where were you when this happened?" Justin demanded.  He saw Chuck wince at the implication that he hadn't been doing his job.  "Aren't you supposed to protect him?"



"I am, but he sent me for coffee.  He went to visit his mother. Told me to come back in an hour."



"So what was he doing out on the street alone?"



"I don't know.  He called me on the cell and asked me to come get him.  He'd only been with his mother a few minutes. By the time I got there it was all over."



"Fuck his goddamned mother!  I bet she kicked him out."



"Kicked him out?"



"It's a long story, but she is the bitch from hell.  Did she even come out to see what happened to him?"



"I don't think so.  There were a few people who gathered around but nobody said anything about being his mother."



"I'm going to go ask if I can see him," Justin said.



He went over to the desk and waited as patiently as he could while the receptionist finished up with the person who was already there.



"I need to know about Brian Kinney," Justin said to her when she looked up at him.



"Are you family?"



"I'm Justin Taylor, his partner," Justin stated staring into her eyes and daring her to question him.



"I think he's still being looked at."



"Could you find out for me?  I'm really worried," Justin said giving his best pleading look.



"I'll see what I can find out," she said with a little grin.



He smiled at her gratefully and went back to sit with Chuck.  Just then Carl Horvath came bustling in. He glanced around and immediately went over to Justin.



"Do you know anything?" he asked with a worried look on his face.



"Not yet," Justin replied.  "I've asked them to find out for me.  How did you find out about this?"



"It's a hit and run, so the police were involved right away.  When they realized it was the mayor, they let me know. They know I'm a … friend."



"Do they know what happened?" Justin asked.



"Justin Taylor?" a man in a white lab coat called.



Justin stood up and moved over to the man.



"I'm Dr. Gupta," the man said.  "You wanted to know about Mr. Kinney?"



"Yes, is he all right?"



"All things considered, he's remarkably well.  He has a concussion. I think his head must have hit the windshield.  He has lots of bruises especially on his one thigh. It's a wonder the car didn't break his legs.  There's a few cuts and scrapes too. The rest of him is going to be very sore for awhile, but he has no broken bones or internal injuries according to the x-rays."



"Can I see him?" Justin asked.



"We're almost finished with him.  He'll be moved up to a room in a few minutes.  I'll let you know when that happens."



"You're keeping him here?"



"He's had a concussion before and they get progressively worse with each new one, so we want to keep him under observation tonight.  He can probably go home tomorrow."



"Thanks, doctor," Justin said.



"That sounds like good news, Justin," Carl said.



"Good?  He could have been killed!"


"That's what I mean.  He's going to be fine."



Justin glared at Carl.  There was no reason to be angry at him, but Justin wanted to blame someone.  How many times were people going to come after Brian and get away with it? The man had been through enough.



"Do you want a statement from me?" Chuck asked wanting to break the tension between the two men.



"Didn't the responding officers question you?" Carl asked.



"Not really."



"But you were the first one on the scene, weren't you?" Carl asked.



"Yeah, I stayed with the mayor after I called 911.  They knew it was me who called."



"And they didn't question you?"



Chuck shook his head.  "I said I was going to follow the ambulance with the limo, and they just told me to go ahead."



"Are they here?"



"I don't think so."



"There's something wrong about this," Carl said.  "Tell me what you know about the accident."



"I was on the way back to pick up the mayor.  I had let him off at his mother's and he told me to come back for him in an hour.  A few minutes later he called and told me he wanted me immediately, said he would meet me at the corner of her street.  When I turned the corner, this car backed down off the curb and squealed away. I wondered what was going on but didn't think too much about it until I saw the body on the snow bank."



"Did you get a license number?"


"No, I didn't think I needed one until it was too late."


"The car was up on the curb when you first saw it?"



"Yeah."



"That doesn't sound like an accident," Carl said.



"That's what I thought."



"Having to go up over the curb may have actually prevented Brian from being hurt worse.  It would take some of the momentum away," Carl explained.



"I thought so too, and then Brian landed in a snow bank which is softer than the street or the sidewalk," Chuck added.



"I'm going to go see what else I can find out about this," Carl said and took his leave.

"Mr. Taylor," the doctor said reappearing.  "I'll take you to Mr. Kinney now."



Justin turned to Chuck.  "Why don't you go home, Chuck?  I'll call you after I've seen Brian."



Chuck nodded and Justin followed the doctor.  In the elevator Justin asked, "Is there anything I should know before I see him?"



"Try to keep him calm.  He gets a bit overwrought."



"You noticed?" Justin said with a grin.



The doctor nodded.  "Good luck," he said.  "He's in room 234."



Justin hesitantly pushed open the door to room 234.  He could see Brian lying on the bed his head turned towards the window.



"Brian," he said softly.



Brian turned slowly and Justin could see the pain in his eyes.  The right side of his head was bandaged and his eye was swollen almost shut and rapidly turning black.



"Hey," he managed to whisper.



"How are you?"



"Peachy."



"So I see," Justin said with a little smile of encouragement.  Brian grimaced in pain. "Have they given you something?"



"Yeah, I should be flying soon.  I can feel it starting to kick in."



"Good.  You need to sleep."



"I went to see her," Brian said suddenly.



"I know.  Chuck told me, but we can talk about it later.  Just rest now."



Brian nodded and his eyes closed.  Justin brushed the hair from his forehead and kissed his cheek.  When Brian didn't open his eyes, Justin realized he had fallen asleep.  He went out into the hall to call Chuck.



He informed the man that Brian seemed to be all right and made arrangements for Chuck to pick him up tomorrow as soon as Brian was released.  He had just finished his call when he heard Debbie's voice down the hall at the nurse's station. Justin sighed and walked down there. Debbie rushed over as soon as she saw him.



"Where is he?  Is he all right?"



"He just fell asleep.  They say he'll be okay, mostly bruises and scrapes," Justin told her.



"Thank God.  When Carl told me he had been in a hit and run, I thought the worst.  Can I see him?"



"Shh," Justin whispered putting his finger to his lips.  He took her arm and led her down to Brian's room. "Try not to wake him," he said softly as he opened the door for her.  He let her go in alone. He went to the restroom to throw some water on his face.



Debbie edged her way towards the bed.  She could see Brian's chest rise and fall as he slept.  "You'll be fine, kiddo," she whispered as she reached the bed.  She smoothed his unruly hair off his forehead much as Justin had done.  Her hand covered Brian's and squeezed gently giving him strength in the only way she could.  "You're a strong, brave man and we all love you. You'll be fine. You have to be."



Justin heard the end of her words as he returned from the restroom.  He knew Debbie loved Brian like a son. Something Brian's own fucking mother had never been able to do.  He signaled to Deb and she came out into the hall.


"I'm going to stay here with him tonight," he told her.  "Will you let everyone know what's happened, but keep them away.  The doctor thinks he'll be able to go home tomorrow."



"I'll do that, but try to get some sleep yourself."



"Thanks Deb, I will."

                                                            -----



A little after one in the morning Justin heard Brian groan.  Justin had fallen asleep sitting beside Brian's bed and resting his head on the side of it.  He sat up and stretched trying to loosen the knot in his neck. Brian groaned again and opened his eyes.



"Hurts?" Justin asked.



Brian nodded almost imperceptibly.  "Thirsty," he croaked. Justin held the straw for him and Brian drank some water from the glass.  "You should go home, Sunshine, and get a decent night's sleep," he said in something closer to his own voice.



"Who'd hold the straw for you if I did?"



Brian tried to chuckle but Justin could see the pain it caused.  "I'm all right. I … need another shot."



"I'll get the nurse," Justin said brushing his fingers over Brian's cheek.



The nurse came in and gave Brian the once over.  She seemed satisfied and administered another shot.  "You should go home," she said to Justin. "He'll sleep the night away now."



"I'm staying," Justin said flatly.



"Come get a blanket and pillow then," she said gently.



When Justin woke he could feel Brian's eyes on him and Brian's hand clasping his as it laid on the edge of the bed.



"You're awake," Justin said.  "What time is it?"



"A little after six.  The nurse woke me for one last check."



"How do you feel?"



"Not as bad as last night, but not as good as I'd like to.  No more shots."



"They're weaning you off, are they?"



Brian nodded.  His thumb caressed Justin's fingers as he kept hold of the young man's hand.  "I've decided. I'm quitting."



"Quitting what?" Justin asked afraid that he already knew.



"Mayor.  This is too much," Brian whispered.



"Okay.  I understand."



"You do?  I thought you'd argue with me."


"It's your life, Brian.  If it's too much for you, then you should quit."



"I will.  I don't want to do this anymore."



Justin wanted to ask Brian to wait and not make such a major decision while he was in bad shape, but he said nothing.  Brian could do whatever he wanted. He'd support him no matter what.



The door opened and breakfast arrived.  The nurse must have ordered one for Justin because two trays were left.


"Looks like your appetite is world renowned, Sunshine," Brian said with a slight smile.



"I'm glad you can joke even if it is about my eating habits."



Justin dug into his breakfast and Brian played with his, eating very little.  A little while later the doctor came in and looked in Brian's eyes and checked over his bruises.



"I think you can go home this morning if you want to," he said with a twinkle in his eye.



"I'm ready," Brian declared.



"I want you to take the rest of the week off work.  Sleep as much as you can and don't try to do anything strenuous."



Brian snorted and Justin blushed.  "What about sex?" Brian asked bluntly.



"If you can stand the pain, it probably won't hurt you."  The doctor made his way to the door. "Just take it easy."



"I'll call Chuck to come and get us," Justin said.



"Maybe we should take a taxi or do you have the 'Vette here?"



"I do now that you mention it.  I forgot. But you don't want to have to get down so low.  I'll never get you out of it."



"Get a taxi then."



"Chuck's expecting me to call," Justin said wondering why Brian didn't want Chuck.  Maybe Brian was mad that Chuck hadn't prevented the car from hitting him.



"When I quit, he'll have to find another job," Brian said.  "He might as well get started today."



"He'll think you're mad that he didn't prevent the accident."



Brian made a face.  "All right, call him one last time."



                                                             -----



Brian sat in the wheelchair as they rode down in the elevator.  Justin was worried. Brian was too quiet. He never even made a fuss about having to ride in a wheelchair.  He just sat down and let Justin push him.



Justin had said little about Brian's decision to quit being mayor, but he knew deep down that this was not good.  Brian was not a quitter. He might give it up if he thought it would hurt Gus or him, but not because it might hurt himself.  He would have to talk to him about this later, but first he needed to get him home.



He pushed open the front door to be hit with a barrage of flashbulbs going off.  Someone had alerted the press that the mayor was in the hospital. Justin had not even thought about this.  He looked around bewildered. Suddenly he felt a hand on his arm and Chuck directed him to the limo which was only steps away, the door standing open guarded by Phydeau.



Brian put his arm up to block out the flashbulbs and also to cover the damage to his face.  Reporters yelled at him for a comment. He sat stony-faced in the wheelchair.



As they neared the limo Brian took his arm down.  Justin knew the photographers would get some good pictures of Brian's black and blue face.  Brian used his hands to lever himself painfully from the chair. He hesitated as he went to get into the car.



Some reporter yelled, "How long will you be off work, Mr. Mayor?"



Brian turned and glared at him.  "Permanently," he said. "Now fuck off!"  With that he slid into the seat groaning from the effort and the contortions his body had been forced to make.



Justin closed the door behind him, aware that a stunned silence had taken over the throng of people.  Trust Brian to get their attention. Justin and Phydeau pushed their way through the crowd refusing to make any comment.  Justin was very glad to have the bodyguard with him. He wasn't sure he would have ever been able to get to the Corvette without him.



                                                              -----



Justin parked the Corvette and he and Phydeau came back to the limo to help Brian.  Chuck held the door for the man and offered his arm to help him out.



"You better start looking for another job like I told you," Brian said as he gingerly made his way to the front door.



Chuck merely nodded and got back in the car.  It pulled away taking him and Phydeau with it.



"Hold on to me," Justin said and pushed open the front door.



They rode up to the loft in silence.  Justin didn't know what was next for them but he didn't think it was going to be good.

Chapter 14 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 14 *

Justin contemplated the phone.  He stared at it wondering what he should do.  He looked at the letter of resignation that sat beside it on the desk.  Brian had told him what to write and he had typed it up on the computer.  Brian had approved it and signed it earlier in the day. He refused to talk about what had happened, about the hit and run, about his mother, about why he was so determined to quit as mayor.  Justin didn't like the way things were going one little bit.



Brian had mostly stayed in bed since he had come home from the hospital.  He refused to see anyone, making Justin promise to keep them all away. Justin had managed to do as Brian requested, although he was sure that Debbie was ready to kill him.  The rest of the gang had understood even though they didn't like it. Lindsay was angry. She had told Justin to make sure that Brian knew that Gus wanted to see him. It made no difference.  Charles Langdon who had convinced Brian to run for mayor in the first place had sent his best wishes and wanted to come see Brian. Brian had refused him too.



Justin could feel Brian retreating into himself.  He was building walls like he had before, shutting out the world he didn't want to deal with, shutting out the pain, and shutting out Justin.  His refusal to talk about anything was putting a huge strain on their relationship.



Justin looked up into the bedroom.  Brian was sleeping … again. For a man who never seemed to need sleep, Justin couldn't believe how much Brian had slept the last few days.  He was sure he was using it as an escape from the situation he found himself in.



He picked up the phone and punched in the number he had looked up earlier.  He carried the portable out onto the landing and slid the loft door part way shut.  He didn't want Brian to hear this.



"Maria?" Justin said when he heard the voice on the line.



"I'm fine.  He's doing … okay.  Is Frank there? I need to speak to him."



He waited not really knowing what he was going to say.  Suddenly he heard Frank's reassuring voice.



"Justin?" the councilman said softly.  "What can I do for you?"



"I don't know.  I just needed to talk to somebody.  I'm scared for Brian. He's going to resign as mayor."



"I read that in the papers.  They seemed to think the mayor was overreacting to what had happened.  Is he really quitting?"



"I typed up his letter of resignation this morning.  He's already signed it."



"That's … not good.  What can we do about it?"



That was what he liked about Frank.  The man understood things immediately and accepted a role in dealing with them.  "I don't know. I wondered if you might have any ideas. He … he's withdrawing into himself.  I can see him retreating from everything … from me," Justin said with a catch in his voice. "It gets worse every day."



"He's not used to having things go against him, is he?"



"No, he usually bends the world to his will."



"So he would see this as the ultimate failure."



"Probably.  I know he thinks everybody's out to get him.  He thinks he can't do the job as mayor, that nobody wants him there."



"Justin, let me work on something and I'll get back to you.  Hold on to that letter of resignation. Don't let him send it."



"What are you going to do?" Justin asked daring to allow himself a sliver of hope for the first time since the accident.



"I don't know yet, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can."



"Thanks, Frank.  Thanks for talking to me."



"Anytime, Justin.  Tell the mayor I'm thinking about him."



Justin ended the call and went back inside.  He hoped Frank might be able to do something but he really didn't know what that might be.  It was Saturday and Brian should go back to work on Monday, that is if he could be convinced to go back.  Justin decided to get some lunch ready for them, even though he knew Brian probably wouldn't eat anything.  By the time the sandwiches were ready, he heard Brian in the bathroom.



"Come get some lunch," Justin called.



"Not hungry."



Justin could see him lie down on the bed again.  He took a deep breath. "Brian, get the fuck up! I'm sick of this shit."



"What did you say to me?"



"You heard me.  Get down here and eat with me.  I don't care if you're hungry or not."



Justin half expected to be told to fuck off, but he heard Brian moving around and the man came down the steps to join him at the bar.  He put the sandwich in front of Brian and came around to sit on the chair next to him. Brian gingerly lifted his butt onto the barstool.  Any kind of stretch was still somewhat painful for his bruised body, but otherwise he was much improved. They had removed the bandage on his head where he had hit the windshield.  His eye was mostly open now but still black, blue, purple and a weird color of orange.



"I'm glad you decided to join me," Justin said taking a bite from his sandwich.



"Did I have a choice?"



Justin ignored the question.  "Are you feeling a little better?"



"I'm … okay."



This was an opening.  Justin determined to jump in with both feet.  "Brian, I want you to tell me what happened with your mother."  That was as good a place to start as any.



"What difference does it make?" Brian asked with a sigh.



"It makes a difference, so just tell me … now!"



Brian sighed again.  "The usual."



"Tell me the fuck what that means or I'm … leaving … permanently," Justin demanded and stood up.



"Don't … don't leave me," Brian begged.



Justin could hear the plea for help in his voice.  He knew what that must have taken for Brian to beg.  He sat back down. "I won't leave you. I don't want to leave you, but you're driving me away.  Tell me what happened."



Brian stared into the blue eyes.  "I thought I could talk to her. I did it with Louise.  I made her understand."



"But not your mother?"



Brian shook his head and Justin saw a tear roll down his cheek.  Brian didn't bother to brush it away. "She wasn't glad to see me.  She'd been drinking and didn't want to be interrupted." Justin made a face.  "I finally talked her into letting me in."



"You had to talk her into it?"



Brian nodded and another tear escaped.  "She wanted to know why I was there. I told her she was my mother … and that I wanted to thank her for staying out of the campaign."



"What else?" Justin asked seeing that Brian didn't seem to want to continue.


"I … I told her that I wanted her to be proud of me."



"You did?  God, that took some guts."



Brian looked at him his eyes filled with tears.  "She asked why she should be proud of someone who didn't care about their family, who never did anything for them.  Then she told me to get out."


"And you just left?"



"I had to get away from her.  I would have killed her if I had stayed there.  I decided to walk to the corner and meet Chuck there.  I heard tires squeal and that's all I remember."



Justin reached over and pulled Brian into his embrace.  He could feel the sobs that were silent to the ear but wrenching to the heart.  He wondered how a mother could treat her son like that. He wondered how any woman could not see the kind, gentle man that he saw all the time.  He wondered how Brian had prevented himself from breaking into a million pieces.



Justin felt Brian stiffen and pull away.  He released him gently. "I'm going back to bed," Brian said and walked slowly up the steps.  Justin watched in dread. This had taken all the spirit out of the man. Maybe he had finally broken into those million pieces.



                                                              -----



"I don't understand why you're making me do this," Brian griped.



"Frank told me that there is no real precedent for a mayor resigning like this."



"Can't they just pretend that I died?"



"No, they cannot.  You have to go there and explain yourself."



"This is fucking stupid.  Take me home."



"No, now sit still.  We'll be there in a minute or two, and then it will all be over with."



Brian and Justin were sitting in the back of the limousine.  Chuck was taking them to City Hall, probably for the last time.  Frank had told Justin that Brian couldn't just resign. He had to answer to council about that.  He needed to come to Monday's council meeting and explain. Justin suspected that Frank had something arranged but the man wouldn't tell him what, and he thought it best that he didn't know.  Then he could be as genuinely surprised as Brian.



It had taken all of Justin's resourcefulness and cunning to get Brian out of the house and into the limo.  He told him they could pick up Brian's things at his office while they were there. He told him it would be cathartic to tell the council off.  He told him he could say goodbye to Cynthia. He owed her that much. He told him he could tell the world to fuck off and it would be on the evening news.  That may have been the one that turned the tide in his favor.



Anyway they were in the back of the limo and almost at City Hall.  Brian looked pretty good. He wanted them to know that he still had pride in his appearance and demeanor.  He had dressed carefully and impeccably as always. The only obvious evidence of the accident was the remains of the black eye.



Justin held on to his hand – for support, but also because he was slightly afraid Brian might open the door at any minute and jump out.  The limo slowed and then stopped. Justin straightened Brian's tie and Chuck opened the door for them. Brian slid out.



A round of cheers greeted him.  The entrance area of City Hall was packed with people.  Many carried placards saying "Welcome Back, Mr. Mayor" or "Glad You're Back."  Brian stared at them in amazement.



Somebody broke into a chorus of "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow!" and everyone joined in.



"What the fuck is this?" Brian whispered to Justin who held on tightly to his hand.



"I don't know, but they seem glad to see you," Justin said cheerily.



Brian glowered at him.  "They must have heard that I'm resigning and they're here to celebrate."


"It seems like they're just happy you're here."



Brian snorted in disbelief.  "They just want to have me here to kick around.  Let's go inside." He pushed Justin towards the entrance.



Someone called out, "Mayor Kinney, Mayor Kinney!"  Brian turned to see what they wanted. "Please say a few words.  We all want to know you're all right."



Brian couldn't believe his ears.  These people cared that he was still alive?  Not possible. Everybody hated him, wanted him gone, wanted him dead.  He turned away ready to go inside without a further word.



"Mayor Kinney, Mayor Kinney, Mayor Kinney," the chant began and continued as he once again turned to face them.



"You should speak to them, Brian," Justin said into his ear.



"No."  He ushered Justin toward the doors.  The chant grew louder.



"Brian, please, talk to them," Justin begged.



"I'm not saying anything.  They're just here to gloat.  This is all some sick game. Come on."  Brian grabbed Justin's hand and hauled him through the front doors of City Hall before he could protest.



A few people in the lobby said, "Good afternoon, Mr. Mayor."  Brian never let on he heard them. He marched to the bank of elevators and pushed the button impatiently.  Finally an elevator arrived and he pulled Justin inside.



Luckily or unluckily they were alone.  "Why did you make me come here?" he demanded of Justin.  "This is worse than I fucking thought it would be."



"Worse?  Everyone's been glad to see you," Justin said trying to make Brian see that people were on his side.



"You're not stupid enough to think that was sincere, are you?"



"What … what do you mean?"



"They all hate me.  They want me gone. They probably wish the fucking car had killed me."



"Brian, I don't think…"



The elevator doors opened and Justin didn't have a chance to finish his statement.  Geoffrey Cheeks was waiting for them as they stepped out. Brian brusquely said hello to him and asked if the council was ready to see him.



"Let's get this over with," Brian said and headed to the council chamber, Justin and Geoffrey trailing behind.



"He's going to be floored," Geoffrey whispered to Justin.



"What did you say?" Brian asked looking back at the man.



"I said it's the next door."



Brian gave him a look and pushed open the council chamber door.  The room was packed and suddenly they were all standing. They burst into applause as Brian entered.  He looked around in bewilderment.



Justin thought Brian was going to explode.  Brian glanced at Geoffrey and then Justin, and Justin knew he had to do something before it was too late.  He stepped forward and took Brian's hand. He squeezed gently. He saw Brian take a breath.



"Mr. Mayor," Theresa Abela said, "please have a seat at the front of the council."  Brian glared at her. Justin knew he was ready to bolt so he held on tight to the hand and edged them towards the chairs the woman had indicated.  Once they were safely seated, Justin released some of the pressure on Brian's hand, but still held on to it.



"Brian, try to relax," Justin whispered to him.



"What the fuck do you know about all this?" Brian asked through gritted teeth.



"Nothing," Justin whispered back, and he really did know nothing, but he was sure Frank did.



"Mr. Mayor," Theresa began again, "may I say how happy we are to see you alive and well.  Although that shiner makes you look rather dangerous."



The council and guests laughed politely.  Justin thought about the fact that they little knew how dangerous Brian really could be.  They were walking a fine line here.



"The council wants to express their outrage at what happened to you.  We hope the culprits will be apprehended very soon. We have been told that you came here today to resign, and I for one am asking you not to do that.  You know that I wasn't a great supporter of yours, but I have come to respect the way you run the council meetings, the way you defend the programs you want implemented and the way you listen to ideas other than your own.  I think it would be a great loss to the city of Pittsburgh if you quit now. You've barely got started."



This was followed by another standing ovation.  Brian looked stunned. He saw Frank who was clapping as loudly as everyone else and smiling encouragingly at Brian.



"We hope you will reconsider.  You may now have the floor, Mr. Mayor."  Theresa took her seat, everybody else sat back down, and Brian stood.  The silence was deafening as they all waited for him to speak.



"I don't see that this makes one particle of difference.  I'm still resigning."



Justin groaned audibly and so did several others.  Brian turned as if to leave.



"Brian," Frank's voice sounded loud and clear.  Brian stopped and looked at him. "I know you've been through a lot the last few days, probably more than most of us are aware.  Justin has told me that you feel that everyone is against you, that no one wants you to be mayor, but I do." This was followed be a chorus of "I do too" and "Me too".  "The people who are outside the front doors of City Hall are people who want you to be mayor. They're the ones who elected you. The gallery here is filled with people who support you."  A cheer rose up from the gallery. "There are some people who want you out of the mayor's seat, but there are many, many, many more who want you in it."



Brian looked uncertainly at Justin.  Justin could feel some of the gloom fade from the man.  This was having an impact.



"I don't know what to say," Brian said overwhelmed by what was happening.  He had his mind all made up. He didn't think he could back down now.



"Say you'll stay," someone called out.  "Yes, stay," several others added.



"I can't believe this is happening.  All I've ever had is sh… grief since I assumed this position," Brian said shaking his head.



"We realize now how it must have seemed to you, that none of us supported you, but we do.  You are the duly elected mayor of Pittsburgh. Don't let some homophobic malcontents drive you out," Theresa told him.



"My head is spinning," Brian said.  "I came here prepared to tell you all to fuck off and I would have too."  People chuckled nervously at Brian's choice of language. "I don't see how I can stay."



"Just say you will and that will be the end of it," Frank said simply.



Brian continued to shake his head.  Justin knew how hard it was for him to change his mind once he had committed to something.  Everyone waited for Brian's decision.



"All right," he said finally.  "I'll give it one more try if you all promise to vote on my side of every proposal."  He looked around expectantly. The chamber remained silent.



"No such guarantee, Mr. Mayor," Frank said bluntly, "but we promise to listen and weigh each proposal fairly."



"What more could I ask for?" Brian replied and just like that he was mayor all over again.



Justin sat watching Brian.  He knew he couldn't interfere in this decision.  It was too huge and Brian had to want to do it. Once Brian indicated he would stay on, he was surrounded by council members who clapped him on the back and shook his hand.  Frank had a big hug for him. Justin heard him say, "You made the right decision, son." Brian merely smiled. Justin waited. He knew Brian would find him eventually. He saw Brian speak to Geoffrey briefly, and then Brian was standing in front of him.



"Come on, we're going home," he said.



"Aren't you going to your office?"



"I told Geoffrey I'd start tomorrow."



"Why?" Justin asked puzzled.



"Just come with me," Brian stated.  He pulled Justin from his seat and they escaped into the hall.  They ran to the elevators and went down to the lobby.



"I'm staying," Brian said to the guards and receptionist who worked there.  They smiled their approval.



Brian pushed the front door open and Justin followed him out.  "I'm staying," he yelled to the crowd. They erupted in cheers.  Brian smiled at them. Chuck pulled the limo up and Brian and Justin got in.



"I'm staying," Brian said to Chuck as they drove away.  Chuck told him he was glad to hear that. "Close the panel or close your eyes," Brian said.



"Since I'm driving I'll close the partition," Chuck said with a grin.



"And take your time getting us home," Brian added before the partition reached the top.



As soon as it did Brian pinned Justin to the seat with his kisses and yanked the boy's clothes off.  His own weren't far behind. They fucked their way through most of Pittsburgh while Chuck kept driving knowing they would tell him when they were through.



When they finally pulled up at the loft on Brian's instruction, both men had their clothes back on and only looked and smelled slightly of sex.  Chuck opened the door of the limo.



"Enjoy the tour of the city, Mr. Mayor?" he asked with a grin.



"It was spectacular!  See you in the morning as usual."  Brian and Justin disappeared into their building to continue their own tour of familiar places.

Chapter 15 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 15 *

Justin groaned as he felt Brian jerking him off.  His lover's cock was buried deep in his ass and his senses were on overload.  He wanted to tell Brian to hurry but he couldn't get his tongue to work. All he was capable of were incoherent moans and groans.  As if reading his mind, Brian sped up his thrusts and timed his strokes of Justin's cock to match.



"Oh, oh, ah, ah, ahhhhhhhh," Justin cried and came in a shattering explosion.  Brian was close behind him.



They collapsed onto the bed still wrapped around each other, Brian's dick still partially up his ass.



Justin groaned again.  He was going to be so sore.  This was at least the sixth time he had come since they had left City Hall.  Brian hadn't fucked him in days since he had been released from the hospital.  The man had seemed incapable of doing anything but sleeping. Once it had been resolved that Brian was staying on as mayor, Brian's libido had kicked in big time.  They had fucked twice in the limo before Chuck brought them home and now this made about the sixth time.



Brian rolled off him and disposed of the condom.  "Are you okay?" Brian asked.



"I think so, but I'm not sure I can stand up, let alone sit down," Justin said his eyes still closed.  He wanted to rest. He felt Brian's hand slide up his thigh and reach for his balls. He groaned. "Haven't you had enough for awhile?" Justin asked.



"Never enough," Brian said with his patented smirk.



"Remind me never to let you go longer than a day without fucking," Justin cautioned.  "Aren't you the least bit tired?"



"Not really.  I had all that sleep the last few days."



"But I didn't," Justin said.  "I was awake worrying about you."



"I didn't mean to worry you.  I don't know what was wrong with me."



"You were depressed," Justin stated looking into Brian's eyes.



"I don't do depressed."



"You had all the symptoms.  You were depressed … and who could blame you?"



Brian stared at him.  Justin could tell he was thinking about it, weighing the truth of his words.  "Maybe you're right," Brian admitted. "I don't know when I've felt so hopeless since I've been an adult."



"I think it had more to do with your mother than with the accident," Justin told him.



Brian made a face.  "Why do you say that?"



"I … Are you sure you want to talk about this?"  He didn't want to set Brian off when he finally seemed to be getting back to normal.



"I want to hear what you have to say, Dr. Taylor, shrink extraordinaire," Brian said rubbing his hand along Justin's thigh.



The boy made a face at him and then sighed contentedly.  He loved how safe and warm any contact with Brian made him feel.  He hoped the contact would stay merely that. He didn't think he could take another fuck right now.



"When you told me you had asked her to be proud of you, I knew how hard that must have been.  I know how much you want her approval." Brian opened his mouth to deny it. "Don't say anything," Justin told him.  "Let me finish. We all want our parents to be proud of us, to love us. That's how I still feel about my asshole of a father.  But I at least have a loving mother. You never got that from either parent. Maria and Louise gave you hope that maybe you could make it right … finally."



Brian nodded.  "I believed what they told me, that talking could make her come around."



"But it never did before."



"No, it didn't, not that I tried very hard.  She'd piss me off in five seconds and that would be the end of it."



"But this time you risked telling her that you wanted her to be proud of you, and then she refused as always, and not in a polite way, I would imagine."



"She was fucking … cruel … as usual."



"Frank said something that made me realize what you were going through.  He said that you were used to having things go your way, bending the world to your will.  I know you hate to fail. You invested a lot in that session with your mother and then she kicked you out.  That was the ultimate failure."



Brian continued to stare into Justin's blue eyes.  He nodded slightly.



"Then you go outside and get hit with a car that may or may not have been a deliberate attempt to hurt you."



"To kill me."



"Maybe," Justin had to admit.  "Put those two things together and anyone would want to pack it in.  You had been dealt too big a pile of crap for anyone to handle."



"You know," Brian said slowly, "you are one smart little fucker."



"Are you just figuring that out now?" Justin asked with his most innocent smile.



Brian snorted.  "I do have a question for you though."



"Oh?  What?"



"What were you and Frank doing talking about me?"



Justin blushed.  Brian didn't miss a thing.  He had mentioned Frank's analysis of what was wrong with Brian.  Shit! Now he would have to explain.



"I … I called Frank when you were sleeping so much.  I was scared for you. You were giving up on everything."



"So did the two of you orchestrate that fiasco at City Hall?"  Brian's eyes bored into him demanding the truth and showing the first hints of anger.



"Brian, I swear I didn't know anything about what happened there.  Frank said he was going to look into some things, but even he couldn't have gathered all those people unless they wanted to be there."



Brian studied him.  "Maybe," he conceded.



"You know, a wise man once told me that a man has to know when to ask for help."  Brian grimaced hearing his own words parroted back at him. "And also when to accept help."



"Maybe."



Brian began playing with Justin's balls rolling them around in his fingers and squeezing gently.  Justin groaned and could feel his cock begin to stiffen.



"Not again," he grinned helplessly.



"Maybe," Brian said once more grinning at him.



"Seven's the charm?" Justin asked.



"Maybe."



That could mean that seven would finally result in a rest or that seven would be followed by eight or that seven could be followed by eight, nine, ten.  Who knew? And who cared as Brian's mouth captured his and kissed him in that sweet, mind-blowing, sensual way that only Brian could.



                                                             -----



Justin pushed the buzzer and heard a voice ask who was there.  "Justin Taylor," he replied.



"Come on up.  It's 708."



The buzzer indicated the door had been released.  Justin pulled it open and made his way to the elevators.  This was a pretty nice building, nicer than he had expected.  When he stepped off the elevator he saw Phydeau down the hall waiting for him.  He walked towards the man wondering what he would find inside the apartment.



"Hi," Justin said.



"Hi, glad you decided to come look at my work … I think.  C'mon in."



Justin stepped inside the open door.  The apartment was warm and inviting, lots of overstuffed furniture and dark wood.  There were fresh flowers arranged on the coffee table and unusual artwork on the walls.  That must be what Phydeau did. Justin had never seen anything quite like it.



"This is amazing," Justin had to say.



"Thanks."



"Your home is lovely."


"Chuck and I have spent a long time decorating it and getting it just the way we want it."



"I had no idea being a bodyguard was so lucrative," Justin observed.



"It's not, but we like doing it."



"So how do you pay for all this, if you don't mind me asking?"


"We have some investments.  We own Meathook. Have you ever been there?"



"Um … no, but I have heard of it."  It was Liberty Avenue's leather bar.



"Most of the time we work there, tending bar and running things, but then if we get a gig as bodyguards we have a guy who holds the fort for us."



"That sounds like a good arrangement," Justin observed.  There was so much more to this man than he had first thought.  He could hardly believe he had thought Chuck and Phydeau were just a couple of bears who didn't know their asses from a hole in the ground.  Now to find out they were businessmen, owners, artists, at least one of them.



"Is this some of your work?" Justin asked pointing to some pieces on the wall.



"Yeah," Phydeau said shyly.  "What do you think?"



Justin could tell that he wanted him to like them.  He walked over to one piece and studied it. It was a combination of paint and leather and stuck on pieces.  Overall it was quite striking.



"I call that one 'Pastel Nights'."



"Kind of like Van Gogh's 'Starry Night'?" Justin asked.



"Geez, you see the similarity?" Phydeau asked in amazement.



"I sure do."  Justin studied the piece.  There were large swirls of paint in pastel colors.  Van Gogh's had the same type of swirls but in darker, bolder colors.  Into the thick paint was embedded a piece of what looked like one of Phydeau's dog collars, the leather and spikes clearly visible.  There were also some pieces of mirror and glass and a few nails sprinkled throughout. It gave the piece a strange combination of gentleness and ferocity, of calm and force.  Justin was impressed.



He and Phydeau walked around looking at the rest of his mounted pieces.  Justin told him his thoughts about them and seemed to make a comment that pleased Phydeau each time.  Phydeau was very proud of his work, and he should be Justin told him. They went into the second bedroom which acted as Phydeau's studio.  He had several pieces in progress all following the same combination of paint, leather and found objects.



On a large table was a sculpture in clay.  It was kind of an abstract bust, very intriguing.



"Is this yours too?" Justin asked.



"No, that's Chuck's.  He's the sculptor."



"So you're both artists?" Justin asked hardly believing what he was finding out.



"I think 'artists' is too grand a word for what we do, but we have sold a few pieces."



"I can see why.  You're both very good."



"Thanks," Phydeau said with a genuine smile covering his face.  "Would you like a soda or some coffee?"



"Sure," Justin agreed.



They sat down in the living room and Phydeau told Justin how he and Chuck had met at an art gallery.  Phydeau had got Chuck interested in the leather scene. Gradually their relationship had progressed. They had been living together for about five years.  Justin told Phydeau about how he and Brian had met, but he was reluctant to reveal too much. He knew how Brian felt about his privacy.



"Can I ask you something, Justin?" Phydeau asked.



"Sure," Justin replied, but he hoped it wasn't anything too personal.



"Does Brian have any enemies?"


Justin was surprised.  He had expected the question to be about their relationship.  "Stockwell," Justin replied.



"Yeah, he's the obvious one, but I don't think the chief of police is going to openly try to kill the mayor."



"You're talking about the accident.  Do you know that it was deliberate?"



"I don't for sure, but I think it likely was.  Could Stockwell be working with someone else who's out to get the mayor?"



Justin thought about it.  "Jesus," he said suddenly.  "My father tried to kill Brian with his car once.  But it couldn't be him, could it?"



"Your father?"



"Right after Brian and I first got together, but he … he doesn't care what happens to me now.  It couldn't be him." Justin sure hoped that was the case.



"Anybody else?"



"Brian's family, his mother and sister are less than supportive, but I can't see them being involved in anything like that."



"So none of those seem likely," Phydeau said thoughtfully.  "Think about it, and see if you can come up with anybody else."



"I will."

                                                              -----



Brian sat in his office at City Hall.  He had been royally welcomed back when he arrived that morning.  Everyone he saw had made a point of speaking to him and saying how glad they were that he had decided not to resign.



Geoffrey had met him at the elevator and even he had been effusive, as effusive as the man could get, about Brian's return.  Cynthia had actually hugged him, right out in front of everybody. It was the first time she had seen him since the accident.  If Brian didn't know better he would say that there were tears in her eyes. They were both kind of embarrassed afterwards.



"Happy you'll have a job for a while longer?" Brian had said to ease the emotion that neither of them liked to show.



She had swatted him and said, "You don't look so bad.  Are you sure you were really run over?"



He knew she meant it to be funny and to get a crack in as he answered, "Yeah, I'm sure.  I've got the bruises to prove it." He saw her eyes fill up with tears and knew she thought he had taken her comment the wrong way.  "Want to see them?" he said with a lascivious grin and they both laughed. Everything was fine after that.



Brian had been reading files and trying to get caught up.  A week off for whatever reason had put him way behind. He rubbed his eyes and tried to concentrate.



Cynthia buzzed.  "There's a Carl Horvath here to see you.  He doesn't have an appointment, but he says it's important.  He's a cop," she whispered at the end.



Brian chuckled.  He wondered what Cynthia thought he might have done to bring a cop to his office.  "Send him in," he said.



Brian stood and greeted Carl.  Carl told him he was looking pretty good, not too much the worse for wear.  Brian's eye was still a little purple and orange, but it was fading and the rest of his injuries weren't visible.  They didn't hurt too much anymore.



"You were damn lucky," Carl stated.



"I know.  I probably should be dead."



"I think that was the intention."



"What do you mean?"



"I've been checking into what happened," Carl said.



"That's not your area of expertise, is it?"



"No, but Chuck, your driver, told me that the responding officers never even questioned him at the accident scene.  I've been keeping an eye on the case ever since."



"They didn't question him?" Brian asked.  That surprised even him.



"You might be interested to know that they responded to the fight you were in just after you got elected.  And they were on duty when that car tried to run you down before. I don't know exactly where they were, but I bet they would have responded if you had been hit."



"Jesus Christ!" Brian responded shaking his head in disbelief.



"I think they've known what's going to happen before it happens."



"Then it is a conspiracy."



"It certainly looks like that."



"Stockwell?"



"That would be my guess, but I don't think he's working alone."



"Those guys that beat me up?"



"They're small potatoes, but definitely involved.  We couldn't get them to rat on anybody else."



"Have you found the car that hit me yet?" Brian asked.



"That's why I'm here.  It turned up this morning in an alley downtown.  Stolen of course."



"Has it been there all along?"



"The guy who called it in said it wasn't there yesterday, so somebody must have dumped it last night."



"Which means it's been stored somewhere all this time."



"Right.  I checked who owned the car and reported it stolen," Carl said.



"Anybody we know?"



"No, but the owner lives within a block of where the other car was stolen."



"Shit!" Brian responded.



"So somebody from around there must be stealing them.  Also we got a print from a pop can that had rolled under the seat of the car."



"You did?"



"Does the name Kip Thomas mean anything to you?"


Chapter 16 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 16 *

"Kip Thomas!" Brian repeated the name.



"You know him?" Carl Horvath asked, assuming so from the tone of Brian's voice.



"That's a fucking name from the past."



"What do you know about him?"



"Only that he used to work at the Ryder Agency and he tried to sue me for sexual harassment.  He said I forced him to have sex with me by making promises of promotion."



Even Carl had to laugh at that one.  "You forced him?" Carl asked with a chuckle.



"He alleged that I did."



"What happened?"



"He dropped the charges and disappeared."



"Why?"



"Fuck if I know!"



"That sounds rather strange," Carl mused.  "At least we've established a connection with you, so he bears looking into."



"How did you know they were his prints?  Has he been in trouble?"


"According to his rap sheet he's been involved in some petty thefts, arrested once, but got probation because he had a clean record at that point.  He tried to scam some co-workers out of some money. They pressed charges but he moved on before he was arrested. He's been involved in some other shady schemes, but managed to stay slightly ahead of the law.  Sounds like a charming fellow."



"He'd like you to think so," Brian said.  "He always thought he was hot stuff, going to be CEO at Ryder in a couple of months."



"So his impatience with getting ahead may have finally caught up with him.  He sounds like our most likely suspect. All we have to do is find him."



"And soon."



                                                              -----



Justin bustled around the kitchen of the loft.  He was cooking a special dinner for Brian to celebrate his first day back at work since the accident.



Justin thought about how it was becoming more and more obvious that it had been no accident.  Phydeau's questions about Brian having enemies had surprised Justin and worried him. He had given the most obvious answers, including his own father.  He prayed to God that his father had nothing to do with it. How could he ever face Brian if he did?



He knew that he had left out one possible person from his list – Kip Thomas.  He didn't want to think about that. Brian had never found out what Justin had done and he never wanted him to.  He realized now that he had been naïf and gullible to think it would be so easy, but as it turned out it had been easy.  He knew Kip hated him as a result. He had made that very clear when he threw him out after his aborted blowjob. The thought of Kip Thomas' mouth on his dick sent shivers up his spine.



He finished the chicken casserole he was making and stuck it in the oven.  He began to wipe up the counter when the image of Kip kneeling in front of him flashed before his eyes.  He shuddered involuntarily.



He had the apartment all cleaned up and the casserole almost cooked when Brian arrived home.  He was sitting on the sofa drawing when Brian pushed back the loft door.



"Hey, Sunshine," he said with a smile.



"Hey, yourself.  Did you have a good day?"



"Not bad.  My eyes are killing me.  I had a mountain of reports to read.  Spent all day doing that, except for one visitor."



"A visitor?  Who?"


"Carl Horvath."



"Carl came to your office?"



"Yes."



"Have they found out something?"



"They don't think it was an accident."



"Neither does Phydeau."



"What does he have to do with this?"



"I went to his apartment today to see his artwork."



"Artwork?"


"Yeah, he's pretty good too."



"When did you two get so chummy?"



"I've talked to him on and off," Justin said not wanting to tell Brian that he had called him and Chuck the night Brian had walked out and gone to Michael's.



Brian looked quizzically at him.  "So what does Phydeau have to say about the 'accident'?"  Brian made quotation marks with his fingers around the last word.



"He wanted to know if you had any enemies."



"What did you tell him?"



Justin made a face.  "The first person who came to mind was my father.  He rammed you with his car once before." Justin looked warily at Brian waiting for his reaction.



"I don't think your father would do this."



"I'm glad, because I don't really think he would either.  At least I hope he wouldn't," Justin added.



"Who else?"



"Stockwell of course and your family, but Phydeau doesn't think they're likely.  Do you know that the officers who responded to the accident never even questioned Chuck?"


"I didn't know until Carl told me today.  They are the same officers who responded to the call when those guys beat me up."



"They are?"



"That's beyond coincidence."



"I agree.  What else did Carl say?"



"He thinks the officers knew what was going to happen before it happened.  Somebody was tipping them off so they could be in the neighborhood. If Chuck and Phydeau hadn't caught those two guys, I bet we would never have heard anything more about the assault."



"Stockwell," Justin said shaking his head.



Brian nodded.  "He's got to be orchestrating the whole thing."



"Jesus, Brian, what can we do?"



"Carl had another piece of information for me.  Somebody made a slip up in this carefully constructed plan."



"A slip up?  Like what?"



"They found the car that hit me this morning.  There was a pop can that had rolled under the seat, obviously overlooked by whoever sanitized the car.  There was a print on it."



"Really?  Do they know whose?"



"Kip Thomas," Brian replied, and Justin felt his heart stop beating, just seize up from fear and worry and dread.



                                                            -----



Justin finished loading the dishwasher.  He set the controls and went to his desk to do some schoolwork.  He could feel Brian's eyes following him, watching him, trying to figure out what was going on.



Justin had been unusually quiet during dinner.  He knew that would make Brian suspicious, but he didn't know what to say.  His mind kept returning to Kip Thomas. The big question was whether or not he should tell Brian what he had done.  He thought if they caught Kip Thomas it would all come out anyway. And he wanted them to catch the man, he did. But he feared Brian's reaction.  Brian would be pissed at how big a risk he had taken, but he would probably be even more pissed that he had kept it secret for so long. Brian hated secrets.



For about a half hour Justin made the pretense of doing his schoolwork.  He actually got little done, his mind continually wandering to Kip Thomas and should he tell Brian.  Finally he snapped his book shut and went to get a drink from the fridge.



"Get me a beer while you're there?" Brian asked from in front of his computer.



"Sure," Justin said.  He got them each a beer and carried Brian's over to him.  He handed it to his partner and started to turn away, when he felt Brian grab his wrist.



"Tell me," the man said.



Justin glanced at him unable to hold his gaze for long.  He wanted to feign ignorance of what Brian was talking about, but he knew he wasn't that good a liar.  He took a deep breath and said, "I don't think I can."



"You can tell me anything, as long as it's the truth," Brian said.



Justin knew he meant that and somewhere deep inside he did want to tell Brian.  What he didn't want were the likely consequences.



"It's about Kip Thomas," Justin began haltingly.



"I figured."



Justin looked at Brian, at the kind eyes that looked back at him demanding honesty.  "It's something that happened a long time ago."



"When Thomas first left Pittsburgh without any explanation?"



"Yeah."



"Go ahead," Brian prompted.  He didn't think he was going to like this.



"I met him one night in Woody's."



"You did?"  Brian's eyes narrowed.



Justin swallowed.  "He … he came in for a drink and I thought I recognized him from that night he came to the loft."



"You saw him?"



"I … I kind of peeked around the corner of the landing."



"So he came into Woody's?" Brian asked and waited for Justin to continue.



"He ordered a drink and I moved over next to him and struck up a conversation.  I knew he had you over a barrel."



"And just what did you think you could do about that?"



"I … I didn't know at that point.  It kind of evolved."



"Evolved?  That's an interesting choice of words.  So what happened?"


"He blew me off."



"I always knew he was one stupid mother fucker," Brian stated with a grimace.



Justin smiled in spite of himself.  "So … I followed him outside into the alley and … kissed him."  He waited for Brian's reaction. The man said nothing so he thought he better continue.  "We discussed what an asshole you were." Brian's eyebrows went up at that one. "Then he invited me back to his place."



"And you went?  Are you nuts?"



"No, but I had a plan by then.  I let him start to blow me and then I told him he better hurry up because I had a curfew at home.  I told him I was only seventeen and my father had had the last guy I was with arrested. He asked if I would tell my father about him.  I said no … if …"



"If he dropped the lawsuit against me," Brian said and groaned.  "Jesus Christ, Justin, he could have beat you up or killed you."



"I know that now, but I never even thought about it then … and it worked," Justin said hopefully.



"I ought to kill you myself for being so fucking naïf!"



"I'm sorry, but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time."



Brian groaned again.  "Is that the whole story?"



"Yeah, I've never seen him again.  He just disappeared."



"Until now."



Justin nodded.  "Why do you think he's come back now?"


"Duh … revenge!"



"I know it's revenge, but why now?"



"I'm mayor.  That makes the stakes higher.  He has a natural ally in Stockwell.  It's all been in the papers."



"I'm truly sorry, Brian," Justin said.  "I never meant for this to come back at you."



"I know," Brian conceded.  "Come here." He pulled Justin onto his lap and began kissing his neck, sucking on his Adam's apple until the boy began to giggle.



"You're not mad at me?" he asked.



"Mad … at you?  No, I'm amazed at what you risked for me, and you are never, never to do something like that again."



"Understood," Justin said pleased that Brian had forgiven him so easily.



"Now I want you to kiss me the way you kissed him to convince him to take you home with him."



"You do?"



"Um hmm," Brian said.



"But I'm much more experienced now.  I'm not seventeen anymore."



"Does that mean that you are no longer attractive or that you can't remember since you've kissed so many men in between?"



Justin giggled.  He knew Brian was teasing him and he was grateful that that was the extent of his punishment.  He had expected a lot worse, at the very least a lengthy and unpleasant lecture. "I'll try," Justin whispered.



His lips found Brian's and he began the kiss tentatively at first.  He wasn't sure what to do. Kissing Brian was always so instinctual and the man was such a great kisser that he never had to think about it.  Brian didn't respond. Justin drew back and looked into the hazel eyes. They seemed kind of blank and he didn't seem to think this was funny.  In fact the eyes didn't reveal anything.



"That wasn't much of a kiss," Brian said.  "Is that all it took to hook that fucker?"



Justin dove in again this time extending the kiss rubbing his lips across Brian's and probing into his mouth with his tongue.  He pulled his tongue back and did his best to suck all the air from Brian's mouth with it. He sat back and looked at Brian's eyes now.  They seemed a little darker and more alive.



He claimed the lips again pressing the back of Brian's neck to make the kiss deeper as his tongue caressed every tooth and ridge in the man's mouth.  His hand squeezed Brian's tits and felt them harden.



"How was that?" Justin asked defiantly looking into eyes that had begun to glaze with lust.



"Better," Brian whispered.



Justin claimed him again, sucking Brian's tongue into his mouth.  They dueled deliciously for a few minutes and then Brian felt Justin grind into his groin.  He bounced slightly and Brian had to groan. His cock was way beyond hard and Justin's movements were almost painful.



"I'd say you're ready," Justin whispered.



He stood up and drew Brian to his feet.  Silently he took his hand and led him up to the bedroom.  Once there he removed all Brian's clothes and then his own.  They stood naked facing each other, their hard-ons straining against their bellies.



"I want you," Justin gasped and wrapped his legs around Brian's waist.  He planted another kiss on the man, one just like the one that had got them here in the first place.



Justin rubbed his hard cock against Brian's, eliciting moans from both of them.  The kiss deepened impossibly more and Justin felt Brian's finger touch his hole. He ground harder against the man refusing to break the kiss, but telling him he wanted more.  The finger pushed in and Justin rose up slightly breaking the kiss and gasping. He flung his head back as Brian's finger pressed deeper.



Brian walked towards the bed Justin's legs still wrapped around him.  He pushed the boy backwards onto the bed and fell on top of him. The kiss started all over again, each man rubbing frantically against the other.



"Now!" Justin demanded wanting more.



Brian sheathed his cock and covered it with lube.  He used the lube on his fingers to scissor into Justin's hole.  The boy lay on his back, his legs spread wide, his body covered in sweat, his mouth hanging open with desire.  Brian flipped his legs up onto his shoulders and drove home. Justin cried out at the sudden intrusion. Brian waited for him to adjust before drawing out and slamming back in.  Justin knew this was going to be rough. This was part of his punishment for what he had done. He knew Brian would be merciless. He was claiming back ownership, not ever to be relinquished again.  The pounding would make that abundantly clear to them both.



If he would have been able, Justin would have smiled at that realization, but at the moment he had other things to do with his mouth – like kiss Brian when his head came near, like gasp for air that his lungs desperately needed, like cry out his pleasure as Brian pounded into him.



Finally it was over.  Spent and sated they lay entwined.



"That was awesome," Justin whispered.



"Better than Kip Thomas?"



"Brian, don't do that.  He was nothing, less than nothing.  We never even did anything, I swear.  I'm sorry that it ever happened."



"So am I.  I'll never mention it again," Brian said, and Justin knew he never would.



"I hope they catch him soon," Justin said as he curled up against Brian.


Chapter 17 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 17 *

Chuck dropped Brian off in front of City Hall.  It was early, before seven o'clock. Brian had called just after six and told Chuck he wanted to go in early.  He still had a lot of reports to read. Chuck had gotten him to his office as quickly as possible.



Brian noticed the guard was just coming on duty as he entered the building.  He assumed he had just taken over from the night person. He nodded at the man and caught the elevator up to his office.  He pushed the door open and walked across to his desk.



"Good morning, Mr. Mayor," a voice from behind him said.



Brian whirled around.  There sitting on his couch was Kip Thomas.  "You!" Brian said in disbelief.



"You remember me.  I'm flattered," said the smirking man.



"What the fuck are you doing here?  Get out!"



"Tsk, tsk!  Such an attitude," Kip smirked some more.  "We have unfinished business," he said losing the smirk and his voice taking on a much more threatening tone.



"We have no business," Brian said through gritted teeth.



"You still owe me for that sexual harassment suit," Kip said with a malicious grin.



"I owe you nothing," Brian spat out.  "In fact I'm going to call the police and have you arrested right now," Brian threatened reaching for the phone.



"Don't touch that," Kip ordered.



Brian turned to look at him and found a gun pointing directly at him.  "Isn't this a bit over the top? Your normal weapons arsenal includes lawsuits or threats or a stolen car, but a gun?"



"You're going to pay for all the trouble you and your little twink have caused me."



"What do you mean?" Brian asked not liking the reference to his twink.



"I never knew who the little underage shit was that threatened to have me arrested for messing with him.  I figured you paid him or he was related to you. Then, when you were running for mayor, there was this article in the paper about a bashing at some guy's prom.  And there in front of me was said little shit, and he was now your partner. Did he tell you about letting me suck him off?"



Brian tried not to blanch, not to let this asshole rattle him, but the urge to wring this fucker's neck was almost too great.  "Get out!" Brian seethed.



"So, did it take you two long to plan that, to figure out how to trap me?" Kip asked.



Brian remained silent for a moment.  He could tell Kip wasn't going to leave until he had said what he came there to say.  He wondered if he had also come there to shoot him.



"Come on, man.  What's the story?  How stupid did you think I was?" Kip asked.



"I never thought you were stupid, Kip … till now."



"You fucking asshole!  You always think you're so bloody smart.  Well, we'll see how smart you are when you're dead!"  Kip stood up and waved the gun at Brian.



"You did excellent work at Ryder, but you were no more ready for that promotion than…"



"Shut the fuck up!  You are a lying son of a bitch!"



"Kip…" Brian tried to reason with him.



"I said shut up!  Now!"



Brian closed his mouth.  He could see there was no point in trying to reason with the man.  He was way beyond that point. Now what he had to do was try to figure out how to stay alive until help came.  He was pretty sure Cynthia would arrive at the office in less than a half hour, maybe sooner, but he didn't want her to walk into the middle of this.  What could he do?



Kip had been watching him.  "Plotting how to get away?" he asked sarcastically.



Brian was surprised.  He had tried to keep his face from giving anything away.  Obviously he hadn't done a very good job of that. "I was just thinking that my assistant will be here soon, and I don't want her caught in the middle of this."



Kip instinctively looked over his shoulder to see if she was there.  Brian took a step but Kip waved the gun again and said, "Don't!"



Brian held up his hands and stopped dead.  "Okay," he said quickly.



"Sit down in that chair," Kip said pointing the gun at one of the chairs in front of Brian's desk.  "Stay still and keep your hands where I can see them."



Brian sat down.  "What are you planning to do?" Brian asked trying to keep his voice level.



"Make you pay for everything you've done to me," Kip said through clenched teeth.



Brian felt his blood start to boil.  "What the fuck have I done to you other than tell you the truth?"



"What have you done?  What have you done?" Kip shrieked at him.  He looked like he was about to blow a blood vessel in his head.  "Are you so fucking stupid that you don't see that you have taken my job, my self-respect, my future?  I … have nothing left … except this," he said waving the gun in Brian's face.



Brian knew he had to try once more.  "Kip," he said keeping his voice low and level.  "You can still have a future. You're bright. You can get another job and fix all this."



"You fucking expect me to start over?  My reputation is ruined. Nobody will hire me, and it's your fucking fault."



"But…" Brian started.



"Shut up!  Don't even try to cajole me.  It's way too late for that."



Brian realized he was getting nowhere and merely making Kip madder.  He decided to take a different tack. "So how did you hook up with Stockwell?" he asked suddenly.



"What?" Kip looked surprised.



"You heard me," Brian replied.



"What makes you think I'm working with someone?" Kip asked trying to look nonchalant.



Kip's lack of denial told him almost as much as if he had admitted it.  "I know who my enemies are," Brian stated, "and he's the main one."



"I'm your worst nightmare," Kip insisted.



"Isn't there some old saying about protesting too much?" Brian asked.



"You don't know shit!" Kip said.



Brian merely smiled.  Kip looked ready to smash him in the face with the gun.  Brian decided he would be wise not to press it any further.  He was beginning to think it would be about time for Cynthia to arrive and he didn't know what to do to try to keep her safe.  He swiveled a bit in his chair so he was facing more towards the door.



"What are you doing?" Kip asked immediately.



"Just shifting positions.  It gets tiresome sitting the same way," Brian tried to make his movements seem logical.  He wanted to be able to see Cynthia if she came to the door and maybe be able to shout fast enough to warn her away.



Kip walked around Brian's desk so that he was facing the mayor.  That suited Brian fine. It meant Kip's back was more or less to the door, more time for Cynthia to duck or escape before anything could happen.



"Don't think you're going to escape because you're not," Kip said getting in Brian's face.



"Then just do it," Brian dared him.  He was getting sick of this.



"When I'm ready," Kip responded.  "I'm making the decisions now. I have the power." Brian grimaced.  "You don't like not being the one in control, do you? I remember when you fucked me.  You were a control freak even in that. Maybe I should fuck you before I finish you off.  How'd you like that?"



"You're not man enough," Brian sneered.



He heard the whoosh as the barrel of the gun connected with the side of his head.  For a moment he wasn't aware of the pain, and then his head felt like it was exploding.  He groaned and sank back against the chair barely conscious.



Suddenly the room exploded more.  There was noise and shouting and movement all around him.  He tried to focus, but his eyes wouldn't cooperate. And then Justin was holding him and he moaned leaning into the strong embrace.



"Brian, can you hear me?" Justin's voice asked.  "Brian?"


"Yeah," he managed to get out clinging to his partner and to consciousness.



"Stay still.  Paramedics are on the way," Justin told him.



"No," he moaned.  He didn't want to go to the hospital again.



"Be quiet and stay still," Justin repeated.  "I won't leave you."



That was the best thing that Brian could hope for.  His eyes closed and he didn't remember anything else until he woke up in a hospital bed with Justin holding his hand.  His head pounded like a son of a bitch. He blinked and prayed for death.



"Brian," Justin whispered looking at him through worried eyes.  "Can you hear me?"



"Yes."  He hoped that was audible.  "Hurts."



Justin pushed the buzzer for a nurse.  When she arrived, she took Brian's pulse and looked into his eyes.



"He's in pain," Justin told her.



"I'll get the doctor.  We have to be careful. This is his third concussion in a short time."  She bustled out.



"I'm so sorry," Justin whispered.  "I should have got there sooner."



Brian didn't know what Justin was talking about and it was too much trouble and pain to try to ask.  He closed his eyes. He felt Justin brush his brow with his hand. It felt good and he sighed. Justin must have understood that he liked him to gently rub his forehead because he continued his soothing strokes.



Brian felt something damp hit his face.  He forced his eyes open to see tears rolling down Justin's cheeks and dripping down onto him.  He tried to speak to find out what was wrong, but the doctor charged in. He gave Brian the once over, as Justin turned away to hide his tears and wipe his face.  The doctor asked some questions to which Brian was able to give monosyllabic answers. He administered a shot and was gone.



Brian closed his eyes.  He could feel whatever the doctor had given him taking effect.  It made the pain fade into the background, but he knew he would be asleep soon.  He forced his eyes open and did his best to smile at Justin. The young man had resumed his seat at the side of the bed.  He wasn't crying any longer, but he looked forlorn.



"It's all right," Brian whispered squeezing the hand that held his.  That was all he could get out before he fell asleep.



He finally awoke some hours later and almost felt human.  Justin was still holding his hand, but had fallen asleep with his head leaned against the back of his chair.  His mouth hung partially open.



"I need to stop doing this to him," Brian thought.  He didn't know whether to awaken the young man or not, but he wanted to know what had happened.  He gently applied pressure to Justin's fingers. He felt him stir and blink his eyes open.



"Brian," he said, "is something wrong?  Are you in pain?"



Brian tried to smile.  "Feel much better," he managed to get out.



"That's great," Justin said.  "Do you want a drink?" Brian nodded and Justin held the straw in the glass of water.  "Just sip a little bit," Justin cautioned.



Brian drank a little and then sighed.  Justin set down the glass.



"What happened?" Brian asked.



"At the office?"  Brian nodded. "Are you up to this?" Justin asked, concern written all over his face.  Brian nodded again. "Okay, if you're sure," Justin said. "After our little truth session last night, I thought I better add Kip Thomas to Phydeau's list of your enemies.  I called him as soon as you left and filled him in on what Carl had learned. He kind of freaked and said he was going to call Chuck to make sure he didn't leave you alone at all.  I started to get this funny uneasy feeling and I jumped in the Corvette and headed to your office. By the time I got there, Chuck had been up to your office and had seen Kip."



"He had?" Brian asked.  "I didn't see him."



"He was pretty sure neither of you had, but he called Carl and he was waiting for the police when I got there.  Phydeau arrived and he and I went up to your floor to keep an eye on things."



"You shouldn't have been up there," Brian said with a frown.



"Well I was, so too bad.  Anyway, we saw you shift around and get Kip to have his back to the door.  That was helpful." Brian smiled a bit. "But then he clobbered you with the gun and Phydeau launched himself into the office.  He smashed Kip to the floor and the gun went flying and he had Kip in some kind of hold. Suddenly the police were there and Carl.  You were so groggy and I was afraid. Finally the paramedics arrived and I rode with you to the hospital."



"Do you know what happened to Kip?"



"Not for sure, but I imagine he is being questioned.  I'm sure Carl will let us know."



"Is it all over?" Brian asked.



"All but Stockwell.  I don't know if Kip will implicate him."



"We can only hope."



"Yeah, if only he would, this nightmare might be over for good."



"Do you think we could ever be that lucky?" Brian asked.  Justin smiled at him and squeezed his hand again. "When can I go home?"



"I think in the morning."



"That's a long way off.  It was barely dark. What time is it?"



"Almost five o'clock."



"Couldn't I go home now?  I've done my sleeping and they've done their checking.  I feel better and I don't want to stay here."



"I'll go ask," Justin volunteered.



He returned in a few minutes with the doctor.  The doctor read Brian the riot act about what he could and couldn't do if he was released.  He said there were to be no more concussions. Like Brian went out looking for them. This one had been pretty minor, but he shouldn't have any more head injuries.  Brian promised he would do his best to avoid them. He even said it with a straight face. The doctor said he'd get the paperwork ready. Justin called Chuck to come get them.



Chuck and Phydeau had the limo waiting as they came out of the hospital a little over an hour later.  Brian thanked both of them for saving his life. They were duly modest about what they had done, saying it was their job.  Justin could tell that Brian was truly grateful, and so was he.



When they arrived at the loft, Brian told them he wasn't going to the office tomorrow.  He said he'd let them know when he needed them again. Justin had almost expected him to say "if" he needed them again.



They rode up in the elevator in silence.  Justin had a feeling maybe Brian would want to quit as mayor again.  He hoped not, but he could hardly blame the man after all he had been through.



"Could you eat something?" Justin asked once they were inside the loft.



Brian shook his head and went up to the bathroom.  Justin put some toast in the toaster. He thought Brian should take some food, especially since he would want some more pain medication before long.



When the toast popped, he buttered it lightly, grabbed a bottle of water and took them to the bedroom.  Brian had put on some sweats and was looking at his face in the bathroom mirror.



"Why does everything happen to my face lately?" he asked.



"It could have been worse," Justin offered.



"I'm all black and blue down the side of my face … again."



"You look fine.  You always look great," Justin told him.  "Even battered you look better than ninety percent of the population."



"Only better than ninety percent?" Brian asked with a bit of a grin.



Justin was happy to see the touch of humor.  "All right, better than ninety-nine percent of the population."


Brian smiled his approval at these revised figures.



"Come eat a bit of toast and I'll give you your next pill."



Brian sat down on the bed and munched some of the toast.  He seemed to be thinking about something. When he finished one piece, he said, "Justin, can I ask you something and get a no bullshit answer."



"Sure," Justin said seriously.  He thought Brian was going to say he would resign.



"Do you think I should quit?"



"Honestly, no, but only you know how much of this you can stand."



"Why not?  Why do you think I should stay?"



"Because you worked so hard to get here.  You have some great ideas, and I don't want Stockwell to win," Justin answered.



"I don't want to resign either," Brian said.



"Then don't."  Justin smiled at him.



"Can you take more of this?" Brian asked touching the side of his face tentatively.



"I can if you can."



"Then I'm staying."



"I like the sound of that," Justin said.



"Lie with me till I fall asleep?" Brian asked.



Justin snuggled into his arms.  Brian knew he could do anything as long as he had this wonderfully strong young man to do it with him.


Chapter 18 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 18 *

Brian did not go back to the mayor's office for several days.  He said he needed some time to recover, and secretly he told Justin that he didn't want anyone to see him with his face all black and blue once again.  He jokingly said he had a reputation and standards for his appearance that he had to uphold. Justin knew there was a lot of truth in the joke.



Cynthia brought him a stack of reports to read.  She insisted on coming in and making sure for herself that Brian was all right.  Brian could see her blanch when she saw the condition of his face.



"Does it hurt?" she asked.



He made a face.  "Only when I laugh."



"Want me to kiss it and make it better?" she volunteered and he made an even worse face.  She saw him grimace in pain.



"No thanks," he said and tried to smile.



She knew he would appreciate her treating him as she always did, not making a fuss or being upset at what she saw.  "You'd think they could pick on some other part of your body instead of that grumpy old face of yours."



"You mean my classically beautiful, chiseled face, don't you?" he teased.



That was exactly what she meant, but she would never admit that to him.  "So when do you think you might start coming in to the office again?"



"Day after tomorrow maybe," he said.



"Are you sure?  You could stay off a little longer.  I'll bring you whatever you need. In fact I could work from here if you want me to."



"Do I look that awful?" Brian asked her.



"You don't look awful at all.  I'm so happy you're alive that I wouldn't care what you look like and I'm sure nobody else will either."



"Gee, thanks … I think."



"You know what I mean," she stammered.



"I know.  I'll be back in a couple of days and I don't need you here.  Just hold the fort for me at the office."



"Will do, boss," she said and got her coat to leave.



As she pulled open the loft door he said, "Thanks, Cynthia.  I do appreciate the concern."



She smiled and pulled the door closed behind her.



Brian looked at the stack of reports Cynthia had brought.  He knew he should start on them, but he didn't want to. There was something more important he needed to know about.



He flipped through his stack of business cards and found the one he wanted.  He dialed the number and told the person on the other end to whom he wished to speak.  She put him through.



"Carl?" he said when he heard the familiar voice.  "I need to talk to you. Could you come to the loft to see me some time today?  That would be great."



Brian hung up.  He hoped Carl Horvath would be able to supply the answers he wanted.  He'd be there in a couple of hours and he had plenty of work to do while he waited for the policeman to arrive.  He opened the first report and with a sigh began reading. He hoped he could stay focused on the report and not let his mind wander to Kip Thomas.



When Carl arrived to see him, it was a little after noon.  Brian realized the detective was giving up his lunch hour to accommodate the mayor, so he had a couple of sandwiches and a pot of coffee ready.  They sat down at the dining room table.



"You didn't have to make me lunch, Mr. Mayor," Carl said.



"I told you to call me Brian," he was told.  "I want to get some information from you and I thought we could both eat while we talked."



Carl smiled.  He had grown to like Brian a lot since he had become mayor.  He no longer thought of him as one of Debbie's "lost boys". He thought of him as a man who needed his help and protection.  He only knew some of what Brian had been through, but he had learned to respect this man and the backbone that was becoming more and more evident to him.



Carl took a bite of the chicken sandwich that Brian had made from the leftovers of Justin's dinner last night.  "This is good," Carl said. "I didn't know you could cook."



"I can't, but I do know how to butter bread and fill it with Justin's chicken."



Carl smiled again.  "So I guess you want to know what's happening with Kip Thomas."



Brian nodded.  "Are you going to nail the fucker?" Brian asked.



"Without a doubt.  Phydeau caught him red handed in your office.  We have his print from the car that hit you. He doesn't have a leg to stand on."



"But what about the Stockwell connection?"

"That's a different issue," Carl said with a frown.  "So far he refuses to admit any connection between them.  He refused our offer of a reduced charge if he gave up our illustrious chief of police.  He just won't bite."



"Shit!" Brian responded.



"Exactly," Carl agreed.  "We're going to keep working on him, and keep looking into any possible connections, a meeting where they were seen, phone records…"



"Good.  I know they were working together."



"What makes you so sure?" Carl asked wondering why Brian seemed so confident in his statement.



"I asked Kip."



"You what?"



"I was trying to keep him busy, keep his mind occupied when he had me trapped in the office.  So I brought up anything that might fluster him or catch him off guard."



"What did he say?"



"It was more what he didn't say.  He didn't seem all that surprised that I asked the question and he didn't deny it.  He should have had a very different reaction if it was untrue."



"So you're sure he and Stockwell are working together?"



"Absolutely!"



"Well, as I said, we'll keep digging, but I'm not optimistic."



"As one policeman to another, you think Stockwell's too smart?" Brian asked.



"I think he's too savvy in the way we would track any connection, and he'd make sure those tracks aren't there."



"Isn't there anything we can do?"



Carl shook his head.  "I won't give you false hope.  It doesn't look good."



Brian stood up and paced the loft, his lunch forgotten.  Carl finished his sandwich and coffee and got up to leave.



"Thanks for lunch.  I'll keep you posted.  We'll do our best to nail the bastard."



"I know, Carl, and thanks for all your help."



"Just don't do anything rash."



Brian closed the door behind Detective Horvath and sat down to think out what he was going to do.



                                                             -----



Brian watched out the window of the loft until he saw the cab pull up.  He tugged the hat low over his face and threw on his leather jacket. He quickly locked the loft door and ran down the stairs.  Once in the taxi he gave the driver the address and sat back running through in his mind what he was going to do.



He got out of the cab in front of City Hall.  He pulled his hat lower and walked quickly through the lobby.  Nobody paid him much attention. That didn't make him feel very secure about his own safety if anybody could walk unchallenged into the building.  He would have to see what he could do about this state of affairs.



He rode the elevator to the third floor and stepped off.  He knew his way having traveled this path many times before.  He never hesitated at the reception area, just kept going with no one challenging him there either.  He pushed open the door to the office and saw the man sitting behind his desk.



"Hello, Jim," he said quietly.



"What the hell are you doing here?" Stockwell asked in surprise.



"I thought you might like to see the results of your handiwork."



"What … what are you talking about?"



That little hesitation spoke volumes as far as Brian was concerned.  "Don't you want to see what Kip Thomas did to me?" Brian asked and pulled the hat from his head.  The bruises on the side of his face were still very prominent.



Jim Stockwell stared at him apparently at a loss for what to say.



"Don't you like what you see?" Brian asked in his most sarcastic voice.  "Although I'm sure you'd much rather be looking at me lying on a slab in the morgue."



"Get out," Stockwell said trying to pretend to resume his work.



"I'm not finished yet, Jim."



"Yes you are."



"Oh no, not so fast.  I want to know why you would agree to work with a sleaze ball like Kip Thomas.  Or are you two cut from the same cloth?"



Brian watched as Jim Stockwell rose from his chair.  He had seen the man this angry only once before, the night he had found him and Justin fucking at the loft.  Stockwell leaned forward over his desk and spat out the following, "Get the fuck out of my office, you goddam fag!"



"Tsk, tsk, Jim.  Such language and such homophobic comments!  I'm surprised you could work with Kip. He's a fag too, or didn't you know?"



Brian watched as the blood vessel in Stockwell's temple throbbed visibly.  He thought the man might have a stroke on the spot. He should only be so lucky.



"I don't have to listen to this shit!"  Stockwell picked up his phone to call for help.



"Not yet!" Brian said as he closed the distance between them and pressed the phone plunger to cut the connection.  "You call someone and I'll see that you are on the front page of every newspaper in the city."



"What…what do you mean?"



"I may not have definitive proof that you were working with Kip, but I know you were.  I'm not above telling the papers what I heard Kip say in my office about your bargain with him."



"Bargain?"  Stockwell's eyes bulged out.  "He never said anything. He wouldn't!"



"You weren't there.  There were only the two of us and only we know what was said.  Who do you think the public is going to believe, the mayor or a convicted felon?"


"You wouldn't dare lie!" Stockwell said with almost a whine in his voice.



"Just watch me, Jim," Brian threatened.



"Why are you doing this?"


"Violence seems to be the only language you understand.  You've done your best to take me out and I'm still standing.  But I'm getting a little sick of the hospital visits. This stops here and now or I go to the press."



"You mean you won't if I say nothing else will happen to you."



Brian grinned.  This guy was such a dumb fuck when you got right down to it.  "Yes Jim, that's what I mean. I'm not a liar by nature, unlike some of us.  But I'll do it if you force me."



"Okay, okay.  Truce," Stockwell said in a low voice.



Brian wanted to spit in his face.  Instead he turned on his heel, pulled his hat low over his eyes and stalked out of the office.  He made his way to the elevators and quickly got one. When it happened to be empty he leaned against the wall and let out a long breath.  He realized his knees were shaking.



As soon as he arrived at the lobby he hurried out of the building.  Someone was just getting out of a cab and he jumped in giving the driver the address of the loft.



                                                             -----



When Justin arrived home from school he found Brian reading reports.  He asked how his day had been.



"Cynthia brought me these and checked out that I am still alive and kicking."



"Did you pass inspection?"



"I think so.  She even volunteered to come here and work out of the loft if I needed her."



"She's great.  What would you ever do without her?"



"I don't want to have to find out."



"Should I order some takeout or should I try to make something out of last night's leftovers?" Justin asked.



"Takeout," Brian replied.  "There's no leftovers … left."



"Oh, why not?"



"Order some food and I'll tell you."



Justin called in an order and Brian finished up the paragraph he had been reading.  When he had ordered the food, Justin grabbed a couple of beers and joined Brian on the couch.



"So what did you do with my leftovers?" Justin asked with a grin.  "Are you secretly pigging out?"



"No, twat," Brian said with a grin.  "I had company and made him a sandwich for lunch."



"Him?"  Justin wasn't sure he liked the sound of that.



Brian grinned.  He was going to let Justin go on thinking he had been entertaining some hot, hungry hunk, but then he thought better of it.



"Yes, Carl Horvath."



"Oh," Justin giggled.  "That's not quite who I was imagining."



"I guessed as much, and I was going to let you stew, but you've been so nice to me since I was wounded that I just couldn't in all good conscience do that to you."



"You are so full of shit!" Justin said with another giggle.



Brian gave him a kiss.



"So what did Carl have to say?" Justin asked.



"They're sure they've got a good case against Kip.  He should be put away without any problem."



"That's good, but what about the Stockwell connection."



"Not so good.  Kip won't admit to any connection.  Carl says that he will keep looking for evidence that links them, but he doesn't think they'll find any."



"Why, is Stockwell that smart?"



"He's a dumb fuck, but he is a policeman.  Carl thinks he will have covered his tracks too well."



"Shit!" Justin responded.



"My sentiments exactly."



"So what can be done?"



"Basically nothing."



"Nothing?"



"Yep."



"Well, that sucks big time."



"Carl says he'll keep looking, but I don't think they'll find anything."



"Are you worried?"



"Not really.  We've taken away Stockwell's right hand man.  He will have to be more careful in the future."



"You sound pretty confident about your safety."



"I am."



Justin looked at him carefully.  Something was different. He wasn't sure where this confidence was coming from.  "You're going to keep Chuck and Phydeau, aren't you?" Justin asked suddenly afraid that Brian might think he was totally out of the woods.



"They stay."



Justin breathed a sigh of relief.  "Good, but I still don't understand why you think Stockwell won't do anything else."



"It's just a feeling I have," Brian said before capturing Justin's lips in a long, sensual kiss.



It was time to redirect his partner's attention.  He didn't want to have to explain what he had done today.



He felt Justin relax into his kiss and pressed more insistently against the boy's lips.  When he finally let him up, Justin gasped for air and asked, "Are you trying to distract me?"



Shit!  Sometimes he was too smart for his own good.  "Of course not," Brian said trying to project his most innocent face.  "I just felt the sudden urge to kiss you. Those lips of yours are so hard to ignore."



Justin studied his partner.  He was sure something was up, but it didn't seem likely that Brian was going to tell him.  "Did you go out today?" Justin asked suddenly, fishing for information.



"Where would I go?  You have the car."



"There is Chuck, and taxis and buses."



"Buses?  Are you nuts?"



"No, some of us mere mortals do have to ride them."



"Not anymore."



Justin had the distinct impression that Brian was trying to answer his questions without really answering them, and without lying to him.  He was about to pursue his line of questioning when the buzzer announced that their food had arrived.



Brian breathed a sigh of relief as his partner got up to buzz the man up to the loft.  He might be able to get through the night without telling Justin what he had done. He knew he would get shit if Justin ever found out.


Chapter 19 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 19 *

                           
When Brian returned to his office at City Hall it proved to be rather uneventful.  Gone were the chanting protesters and their signs. Gone was the welcoming committee of councilors.  He walked into the building and people merely said good morning or nodded to him. That suited him just fine.  He was happy to have a normal day at the office.



Cynthia razzed him about his godlike appearance.  The bruises had just about disappeared and he was his old handsome self.  She asked if he had a portrait in a closet somewhere that took the brunt of his bumps and bruises.  Brian told her he wished he did.



She brought him a coffee and they sat down to go over the agenda for the day.  She had managed to keep things pretty simple and put off some people who wanted to see him.  She thought it was best that he slide back into his job slowly. As it turned out, he was very glad she had done that by the end of the day.



Geoffrey Cheeks stopped by to update Brian on a few things.  He said there was nothing that needed Brian's immediate attention.  He would handle things until the mayor was ready to assume all of his responsibilities.  Brian found himself resenting that statement, but he realized that Geoffrey was merely doing his job and trying to make life easier for him.



Frank Jankowski stopped by in the afternoon.  He wanted to check that Brian was really all right and not coming back to work too soon.



"You look good after all you've been through," Frank told Brian. "Thanks, Frank.  I'm glad you think so."



"How are you doing … really?"



"I'll survive."



"That goes without saying.  I'm more interested in how this has affected you.  Any more thoughts about resigning?"



"Trying to get rid of me?" Brian asked with a grin.



"Of course not.  You know I never wanted you to quit, but this has been awfully dangerous for you."



Brian shook his head.  "They caught the guy and they have enough proof to put him away for a long time."



"Glad to hear it.  So does that mean that things are going to calm down a bit around here?"



"I certainly hope so," Brian said.



"Are you going to be ready for the council meeting on Monday?"



Brian nodded.  "I've been trying to keep up while I was at home.  I think I'll be ready."



"I'm putting forward a proposal about converting an old hotel into rooms for homeless people."



"I don't think I've seen that one," Brian said with a frown.



"I was afraid of that," Frank said.



"Why?"



"There's a consortium that would like to get their hands on the property.  At the moment the building is derelict and will take considerable fixing up to bring it up to code.  Some councilors don't want the city putting money into something that won't result in tax revenue. They want to agree to the sale to the consortium.  I think the homeless crisis is more important than tax money."



"I see," Brian said thoughtfully.  



"Does that mean that I have your support?" Frank asked.



"I need to know more about this."



"I hope you don't think money is more important than human lives."



"Frank, I understand what you're saying but we also need tax revenue to fund projects like you're describing."



Frank looked a little disappointed in Brian's reaction.  "All I ask is that you judge it fairly and keep in mind that the people who would benefit from this are some of the weakest and most put upon members of society."



"I'll consider it carefully," Brian said and he really meant that.  However, he wasn't prepared to go along with Frank's plan without knowing more about it.



After Frank left, Brian called Cynthia in and asked her about Frank's proposal.  She said she had never seen it. That meant that there was only one other person who would have sidetracked the proposal.


                                                               -----


Geoffrey Cheeks knocked on Brian's door.  He didn't know why he had been called back to the mayor's office.  Usually one visit a day was all that was required of him, but he had just been summoned for a second time.



"Come in," Brian said.



"You wanted to see me?" Geoffrey asked as he closed the door behind him.



"What do you know about a proposal to renovate an old hotel downtown?" Brian asked getting right to the point.



"Sponsored by Councilman Jankowski?"



"That's the one."



"I read the proposal and discarded it as too expensive.  There would be no revenue produced and it would also require monies to be laid
out each year to keep it going."



"So you decided that I shouldn't even see the proposal?" Brian asked frowning.



"Yes."



Jesus, this guy never explained himself.  He was an arrogant son of a bitch. "I want to see that report immediately," Brian said his displeasure clearly evident.



"Certainly," Geoffrey responded, no reaction visible on his face.  "Will that be all?"



"No, Geoffrey, that isn't all," Brian said sarcastically.  They were going to settle this right now. "When you receive a report having to do with the welfare of citizens of this city, be they rich or be they poor, I want to see that fucking report.  Do I make myself clear?"



He saw Geoffrey blanch at his choice of language.  "There is no need to speak to me in those terms," Geoffrey responded.



"Apparently there is!  I told you when you were screening material for me that I had certain priorities.  All along I have been assuming that you have been following those guidelines."



"I have."



"Then why did I not receive that report?  It comes from one of the councilmen who has an excellent reputation and has been at City Hall for many years.  What made you think it wasn't worthwhile for me to read his proposal?"



"I told you that it wasn't fiscally responsible."



"Whatever the fuck that means!" Brian said his temper getting the best of him.



"It means…"



"I know what it fucking means."



"Then I don't see what the problem is here."



Brian sighed.  "It seems to me that what we have here, Geoffrey, is a failure to communicate."



"If you say so."



"I do say so.  In future any proposal from a councilman or woman is to come across my desk whether you like said proposal or not."



"Yes, sir," Geoffrey replied with the merest hint of sarcasm in the title he used for Brian.



Brian frowned.  "You know, Geoffrey, I appreciate all that you have done for me, helping me, and getting me settled in here.  I appreciate that you scan and weed material. I appreciate that you know every protocol going and advise me accordingly.  But I do not appreciate you second guessing what is important to me and this administration. I do not appreciate when you make arbitrary decisions that contradict things that I have told you.  If you insist on doing that, then you are no longer of any value to me. Do I make myself clear now?"



"Eminently," Geoffrey said.



"Good.  Now get that report up to me within the hour."



"Yes, sir," Geoffrey replied, and this time Brian didn't hear any sarcasm in those words.



"Thank you, Geoffrey.  You may go now."



Geoffrey rose from his chair and made his way to the door.  He took a look at Brian and seemed about to say something else.  Then he thought better of it and went out the door, closing it behind him.



"Son of a bitch," Brian said to himself.  He wanted to fire the arrogant sack of shit, but the man knew too much.  Brian bet Geoffrey knew where all the bodies were buried too. He leaned back in his chair.  He hoped he had warned Geoffrey forcefully enough. He knew he couldn't fire the man, so the best he could hope was that he had been heard and Geoffrey would decide to follow his instructions.



                                                              -----



Brian was loading his briefcase, getting ready to leave for the night.  The first day had been long and tiring, especially the encounter with Geoffrey.  Cynthia tapped on his door.



"Come in," he said.



"Geoffrey just sent this up," she said holding out a card.



Brian took it from her and began reading.  "Fuck!" he responded.



"I wonder why he finally decided to give this to you," Cynthia said.



"Probably because I just read him the riot act about second guessing me and making arbitrary decisions."



"That might explain it," Cynthia said with a laugh.



"Did you notice the RSVP date?" Brian asked.



"Yes, you should have responded two weeks ago."



"That fucker must have decided at some point that we shouldn't go.  I wonder if he thought that we'd contaminate the event."



"I don't think it would be anything that sophisticated.  He probably thought after all the trouble and protests you've been through that you just wouldn't want to attend."



"I fucking hate it when somebody makes decisions for me."



"Don't I know?" Cynthia said with a chuckle.



Brian made a face at her.  "Call and see if we can still attend, but don't say for sure that we will."



"You need to talk to Justin first?"



"Yeah, I don't want to get in somebody else's bad books," Brian said with a smirk.



Cynthia left the office and Brian finished packing up.  As he walked by Cynthia's desk on his way out, she stopped him.



"I talked to a Mrs. Chatsworth who is in charge of the function. She would be thrilled to have the mayor and his partner attend."



"What did she say about us calling so late?"



"I told her the invitation had been misplaced for awhile.  She said it was no problem and she hoped to have a positive response tomorrow."



Brian made a funny little grimace.  "I'll talk to Justin tonight."



"You're not sure you want to go, are you?" Cynthia asked studying his demeanor.



"Not … exactly."



"Why?"



"The few times Justin and I have been at functions together we have ended up in the newspapers.  That always causes some kind of turmoil as a result. It was nice to come to work today and not find protesters outside.  I'd kind of like to keep it that way."



"If I may…?" she asked permission to tell him her opinion.



"Okay, give me your two cents worth," he told her.



"The more times people see you and Justin together either in person or in the papers, the more they'll get used to it.  At some point it will become commonplace and that will be a good thing. I think you will be a lot better off down the road if you bite the bullet now and attend all of these functions."



Brian thought about what she said.  He had to admit that she had a point.  "When did you get so smart?" he asked her with a grin.



"I've always been smart," she replied.  "You just don't always notice it."



Brian looked duly chastised.  "If I give you the impression I don't think you're smart, I'm truly sorry, because I know you are smart.  You've saved my ass more than once. I'll take your words of wisdom under advisement."



"Good night, Boss," she said with a big smile, pleased that he recognized her true worth and for once stated it.



"See you in the morning, Cynthia," he said as he made his way to the elevator.



                                                              -----



Brian arrived home to dinner cooked by Justin.  Sometimes he wondered how the young man juggled all the things he did.  He managed school, the diner, studying, drawing and looking after him, which these days seemed to be a full time job.



"Hey," he greeted Justin and went into the kitchen to give the young man a kiss.



"What was that for?" Justin asked.



"Just felt like it," Brian replied studying Justin's mood gauging when would be a good time to broach the subject of the invitation.



"Dinner's ready.  If you want to change first, go do it."



Brian went up to the bedroom.  He wasn't sure why he was nervous about asking Justin to accompany him, but he was.  He went back down to one of Justin's pasta creations. There was no time like the present, he decided.



"Justin," Brian began.



The young man looked up and smiled that smile that said so much.  "What do you want to tell me?" he asked.



"What makes you think I have something to tell you?"



"Hm…let's see.  You get quiet, you kiss me when you come home and you start with 'Justin', so solemn and formal."



"Solemn?"



"Yep," Justin said with a grin between bites of pasta.



"Am I so predictable?" Brian asked.



"About some things," Justin said.  "But that's not a bad thing. I can prepare myself and think about how I'll react."



"You have to think about that?"



"It helps to avoid a fight if I can react in the right way."



Brian didn't like the sound of that.  "Is there a wrong way to react? Don't you just react?"



"I've tried that and we usually fight when I do."



"You mean I get mad," Brian admitted.



Justin nodded.  He hadn't quite meant for this to get so deep.  "But it's all right. I just think of a good and a bad scenario and prepare for both.  Usually it works out okay."



"I don't like that you think you have to do that.  I shouldn't allow myself to react so badly…to your…reaction."  That sounded pretty stupid if he did say so himself. He saw Justin stifle a giggle. "Brian, it's all right … really."



"No, it's not all right.  I want your genuine reaction, not some preconceived idea of what you think you have to say to placate me.  Jesus, I hate people second guessing me," Brian declared with more than a little anger in his voice.



"Where did that come from?" Justin asked studying his partner.  He wanted to direct the conversation into a new area. He could feel Brian's anger growing and that had been what he was trying to avoid.



"I found out today that dear old Geoffrey has taken it upon himself to make sure that I don't see reports, and other things, that don't coincide with his agenda."  Brian stressed the word 'his'. "He really pissed me off," Brian added.



"He should know better," Justin said seriously.



"So we had a little talk, and I think he has a new understanding of his role in all this."



"Really?" Justin said with a little smile.  He wondered how many strips Brian had torn off dear old Geoffrey's hide.



"One of the 'other things' he neglected to show me was an invitation."



"To what?" Justin asked wondering if this was the source of Brian's concern.



"To the Black and White Ball to raise money for Roswell Hospital."



"Oh?" Justin responded thinking about whether he should be in favor of going or against.



"You're doing it, aren't you?" Brian asked watching him.



"What?" Justin asked trying to appear innocent.



"You're trying to decide if I want to go or if I want not to go, and you'll tailor your response accordingly."



Justin looked a little sheepish.  Usually he loved the fact that Brian was so smart and on top of things, but he hated getting caught in his own machinations.  "I was…just weighing the pros and cons," Justin responded and in a sense that was what he had been doing.



Brian was about to call him on what he was really doing, but he didn't want to fight.  "So is it a pro or a con?" he asked instead.



"I'm not sure … and I'm not hedging," he added quickly.  "Every time we appear in public we end up in the papers and then there are protests and other shit.  I don't want to stir that all up again."



"And the pros?" Brian asked.



"I get to go out with my favorite man," Justin grinned and Brian felt himself blush and his cock stir.  God, that little shit could get to him. Justin saw that he had embarrassed Brian, so he hurried on quickly.  "We get to dress up. We can do 'black and white' with our tuxes, no problem."



"There is one more pro," Brian said.  "Cynthia pointed this out to me before I left today."



"What's that?"



"She said the more times the public sees us together like any other couple, the more they'll get used to it and gradually there'll be less and less fuss."



"She has a point," Justin conceded.  "So let's go."



"Are you sure?  In the short term we may have some repercussions."



"I understand, but I want to dance with you again.  You will dance with me, won't you?"



Brian was sure he had just seen his partner bat his baby blues at him.  He groaned. He was so fucked. "Of course I will."



"So when is this shindig?"



"Day after tomorrow."



"Shit!  Why didn't you tell me sooner?"



"I just found out this afternoon."



"How come?"



"That was the invitation that Geoffrey decided I didn't need to see."



"So … let's do it.  We'll blow their socks off."



"Come here you," Brian said.  Justin moved around and sat on his partner's knee.  "Have I told you lately … how special you are?" Justin beamed at him, kissed him and he was lost to everything else.



Chapter 20 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 20 *


                          
Brian seemed to have no more problems with Geoffrey at least that he was aware of.  The man was civil and seemed to harbor no hard feelings about the way Brian had put him in his place.  He appeared as usual for their meeting the next day.



Brian felt compelled to ask him about the invitation.  "Why did you send up that long overdue invitation yesterday?" Brian asked when
they had finished the more mundane part of their meeting.

Geoffrey looked thoughtful as he hesitated for a moment.  "I originally thought you wouldn't want to go. You'll probably end up in the newspapers again if you do.  There are always society reporters covering that kind of thing."



"And you don't think I should be in the paper?" Brian probed.



"I don't like the consequences.  It's not very pleasant making my way through protesters to get into the building."



"Can't you come in through the parking garage?" Brian asked wondering again at this man's arrogance.  He should have known it
would have to do with Geoffrey's convenience, not his.



"I don't drive," Geoffrey said bluntly, just as he had responded about not dancing.



Brian wanted to ask him what planet he had just arrived from, but he bit his tongue.  "So let me get this straight," Brian said. "You didn't give me that invitation because you would have to walk through protesters to get into this building."



"Yes," Geoffrey said.  Brian wanted to slug him.  "But … I also know that those protests would be directed against you.  I thought maybe you had had enough … shit to deal with lately. I was trying to protect you."



Brian almost swallowed himself when Geoffrey said 'shit'.  Maybe this guy wasn't so bad after all. "That was … considerate of you, Geoffrey," Brian said stifling a chuckle.  "But I like to make my own decisions about these things."



"I understand that now," Geoffrey responded, and Brian thought that he sounded like he really meant it this time.



"I think we've had quite a productive meeting.  Is there anything else I should know about?" Brian asked pointedly.



"I'd say we've covered everything," he replied.



"Will you be attending the Black and White Ball?" Brian asked suddenly.



"Oh my, no.  I never go to those kinds of things."



"But you were at the inaugural ball."



"Yes, but I was working.  I'm in charge of protocol, you know."



Brian stifled another laugh.  "Yes, I do know. So, I won't be seeing you at the ball?"



"No, sir.  Are you going?"



"Looks that way."



"I see.  Well, I hope you have a … lovely time."  Geoffrey stood up and made his way to the office door.



"So do I, Geoffrey, so do I."



Brian watched him go out and close the door behind him.  He wondered what the fuck Geoffrey did with his free time.  He certainly wasn't a party animal. Maybe it was better if he didn't speculate.



                                                               -----



Brian read and reread Frank's proposal about the old hotel.  He really liked the idea. They could provide almost one hundred rooms for people who were now on the street.  They would have a small bed-sit type of arrangement each with its own bathroom, and they could live there permanently.  Those who were on pensions or disability would be asked for a small percentage for rent leaving them enough to live decently.  Those who truly were destitute would also be accommodated. This would give them an address if they were applying for jobs. Frank had proposed setting up a counseling office and employment center right in the building.  It wouldn't make money for the city but it could be close to self supporting. He was going to push to have this done.



From his advertising days he knew he needed something catchy to grab the councilors' attention, and turn them away from just thinking about the monetary outlay.  He would have to do that over the weekend.



He thought about taking Justin to the Black and White Ball.  He smiled as he realized how much he was looking forward to doing that.  He wanted to find out if Frank and Maria were going. Maybe they could sit at a table together.  It was always nicer to have someone you knew to sit with.



The Black and White Ball would be a far cry from the homeless people that he would be trying to help at Monday's council meeting.  Being mayor certainly provided a study in contrasts – rich and poor, working and unemployed, decent kind men like Frank and fucking criminals like Kip and Stockwell.


                                                             -----


The limousine approached the William Penn Hotel in downtown Pittsburgh.  Chuck carefully negotiated through the crush of cars and people as they drew closer.  It looked like the Black and White Ball was going to be packed.



Justin looked over at Brian.  He wondered if the man was nervous.  Brian had never been one for dates, and this whole business of being a couple and appearing in public had to freak him out.  It certainly did nothing for Justin's digestive system. Brian seemed totally oblivious to what was going on outside the limo and what was to come when they stepped out.



Finally Chuck made his way to the entrance of the elegant old hotel.  He stopped the car and hopped out, racing around to open the door for them.  They had both learned to wait for him to do that. He had been most annoyed when they continually got out themselves without waiting for him.  He had told them not to do that because he needed to check out the situation before he let them out of the car. He said none of them wanted any more unpleasant surprises.



"You look great," Justin told Brian running his hand gently down the side of Brian's face.  The bruises were almost gone and Brian looked like his usual elegant, handsome fuckable self.



"So do you," Brian replied with a smile.  "There won't be a better looking couple here tonight."



Justin beamed at him.  He loved hearing Brian call them a couple even in a roundabout way.  And he did it so casually, so easily, like it didn't scare the shit out of him anymore.



Chuck opened the door and they slid out.  "I'll be back at midnight," he said. "Call me if you want to leave sooner."



Brian nodded and they walked through the doors into the most elegant lobby Justin had ever seen.  Huge cream-colored arches ringed the central area with a thick burgundy carpet underfoot. Large comfortable leather chairs were scattered around.  It looked cozy and inviting despite the grand scale.



"Wow," Justin said.



"The Omni group has certainly brought this old hotel back to its turn of the century elegance," Brian told him.



"It's … magnificent."



"Let's go check out the ballroom," Brian said ushering him towards one of the arches.



They passed into a kind of reception area where a table had been set up to check invitations.  Brian handed his to the woman at the table.



"I'm so glad you could attend, Mr. Mayor," the woman said.  "I'm Leah Chatsworth. I believe I spoke to your assistant on the phone."



"Yes," Brian replied.  "This is my partner, Justin Taylor."  Justin nodded and the woman smiled at him.  Everyone seemed so civil after some of the other receptions they had received.  "Would you know if Councilman Jankowski and his wife have arrived yet?" Brian asked.



"I believe so.  They should be inside."



"Thanks," Brian replied and they proceeded into the ballroom.



"Double wow!" Justin said.



The ballroom was all cream and gold with massive chandeliers.  Tables covered in white linen surrounded a central wooden dance floor.  Bunches of black balloons were strategically placed around the room. An orchestra was situated behind the dance floor and was already playing.  A few people were dancing.



"Brian!" a voice called.  



Brian looked around to see Frank waving to him from one of the tables.  They made their way over to him.



"Hi, Justin," Maria said taking his hand and rubbing gently.



"Hi Maria, it's good to see you again."



"We saved you seats right here," she said patting the seat next to her.  Justin sat down. They were right at the edge of the dance floor. He wondered when Brian would ask him to dance.  "You two look stunning," Maria said. "Men are so lucky at these types of affairs. Tuxedos are basically black and white, so you men are all set.  It took me days to find a suitable dress in black and white. I'd much prefer red."



"Ah, the lady in red," Brian said with a grin.



"Given my druthers," Maria replied with a smile.



"I bet you look smashing in red," Justin said.



"She does," Frank agreed earning him a lovely smile from his wife.  It was clearly evident how much they still loved each other after all these years.



Frank sat down beside Brian, "I hate to bring up work at a time like this, but have you had a chance to read my proposal about the hotel?"



"I have," Brian replied.



"And…?"



Brian could tell Frank desperately wanted his support with the proposal.  "I like the idea but there are a few things I think we should consider…"



Justin heard Maria sigh.  "They're going to be talking business for God knows how long.  Men!" she said with more than a little disdain.



Justin grinned.  "Maria, shall we dance, while they sort out city business?"



"Oh, thank God, a man who likes to dance," she said and quickly got up as if afraid that Justin might change his mind.



"I hope I remember how to do the foxtrot," Justin told her.  "It's been a long time since my mother sent me to dance class."



"Well, let's see what you learned, young man," she said with her lovely smile.



Justin led her out onto the dance floor, and they assumed the traditional dance position.  The song was one Justin remembered from dance class and he began to guide her around the floor.  Before long they were swirling and gliding as one. Maria was a very good partner following effortlessly everything that Justin tried to do.  When the song ended Justin dipped her ever so slightly and Maria giggled with pleasure.



He pulled her gently back to an upright position and she kissed him on the cheek.  "That's the most fun I've had in a dog's age," she said. "Frank dances with me but he doesn't really enjoy it a whole lot.  That was pure pleasure."



"Maria," another lady about her age called, "do you share your partner?"


"Not a chance," Maria replied grasping Justin's arm like she would never let it go.



Justin swept her around and they began the waltz that was now playing.  They covered the floor gracefully, Justin managing to avoid collisions with other dancers and still maintain the elegant gait of the dance.  When the waltz ended, Maria was a little breathless.



"Let's sit down for a few minutes," Justin said.



"Only if you promise to dance with me again later."



"That's a definite yes," Justin said earning a wide smile from his dance partner.


They made their way back to the table where Frank and Brian had stopped talking.  They stared at their partners seemingly speechless.



"Have you two been having secret rendezvous to practice your dancing?" Brian asked, his tongue firmly in his cheek.



Justin blushed but managed to say, "I have a great partner.  We don't need to practice."



"I'll second that," Maria agreed.



"Do I get a dance?" Brian asked with a twinkle in his eye.



"Anytime, partner," Justin said with a big smile.



"Then let's go."



Brian stood up and Justin took his hand.  They made their way to the dance floor, people stepping back and letting them through.  Justin knew they were going to be the center of attention. There were no other gay couples there that he had been able to see.  Brian took his hand and they began to dance to the slow song that was playing. As the song progressed Brian stared into his eyes and he remembered their dance at the inaugural.  He stared back into the hazel eyes and they forgot about everyone else. There was only them and the music and moving as one.



When the music stopped Brian leaned in and kissed Justin on the cheek, nothing like the passionate kiss they had shared at the end of their other dance … dances.  Suddenly they realized that people were applauding. They looked around embarrassed. The dance floor was empty except for them, and everybody was staring at them and clapping.



"Can we sit down, Brian, please?" Justin begged his face bright red.



Brian still had hold of his hand and he quickly led them back to their table.  They slumped into their seats to the praise of Frank and Maria.



"It was just a dance," Justin said still embarrassed.  "Why do they have to make such a fuss?"



"You two are unique in here," Frank said.



"I bet we're not," Brian said with some rancor.



"Well, you are in that you're not hiding who you are," Frank amended.



Brian made no further comment.



"I'd like to be able to dance and then leave the dance floor like everyone else does," Justin complained.  "I hate being some sort of frigging sideshow."



"The more times you dance, the less they'll pay attention to you," Maria said.



Brian realized that was exactly what Cynthia had told him.  "Ready to go again?" Brian asked Justin.



"I … don't … know," Justin said hesitantly.



"Well, I do," Brian replied and pulled Justin to his feet.  "We're going to give them their money's worth, until they're sick of looking at us."



Justin lost track of how many times they danced.  There were no more rounds of applause when they left the dance floor.  They sat out some songs, Justin danced with Maria a few times, they chatted with the Jankowskis and other people who stopped by their table, they had refreshments when that was announced, but mostly they danced oblivious to what other people thought.  As midnight approached they were both tired, more from the strain of putting on the Brian and Justin show than from the actual dancing.

"Are you ready to go home?" Justin asked as they finished up another dance.  "I am."

"You youngsters have no stamina," Brian teased.  



He led them off the dance floor and nobody paid them much attention at all.  Justin was beginning to think all their efforts tonight might actually pay off.



"We're going to head on out," Brian said to Frank and Maria.



"I had a lovely time with you both.  Thanks for the dances," Maria said to Justin.



"I'll see you at the council meeting on Monday," Frank told Brian.  "Good night, Justin."



"I made him promise me another dance before we leave," Maria whispered to Justin.  "But he's not as good as you."



Justin grinned.  He followed Brian out to the lobby.  "Chuck should be here soon. Let's step outside and get some fresh air," Justin said.



Neither of them had worn coats since Chuck had picked them up and let them off right at the door.  It was one less thing to worry about. The winter night was cold and clear. Their breath was clearly visible in downtown Pittsburgh night air.



"Jesus, I could use a cigarette," Brian said with a groan.  Justin smiled. Since being elected mayor, Brian had really cut back on the cigarettes and he refused to smoke in public, feeling it would be a bad example.  Justin wondered if Brian realized how much he had changed his ways since the election. He was becoming a fine, upstanding citizen. Justin thought he better not mention that though or Brian would have a fit.  "It's fucking cold out here," Brian said hugging himself.



"Let me help you," Justin said putting his arms around his partner.



"I knew there was some reason I was keeping you around," Brian said and gave him a gentle kiss.



"Hey, mister, got any loose change?" a voice asked.



Brian glanced up to see a bum with his hat extended asking for money.  He was holding a sign that said 'Homeless'. "Yeah," Brian replied. "Just a minute."  He fished around in his pocket to see what he had. There was no change so he pulled out his wallet.



"Hey, you!  Get out of here!" the doorman of the hotel yelled at the bum.



The bum started away before Brian could get any money out.  He watched the man hurry down the street, getting away as fast as he could.



"Those bums keep coming around whenever we have a big do here," the doorman explained.  "They figure the rich people will cough up. It's all I can do to keep them away."



"How many would there be on a night like this?" Brian asked the doorman.



"He's the third, and there'll probably be a couple more before everybody leaves."



Just then Chuck pulled up and the doorman opened the limo door for Brian and Justin.  Brian gave him the five bucks he had been going to give to the homeless man. Chuck started away.



"Slow down, Chuck," Brian said.  "I'm looking for someone."



Chuck continued slowly down the street.  A block or so farther on Brian thought he saw the homeless man.  He ducked into an alley as the limo approached.



"Stop here for a minute," Brian said.  "I'm getting out."



"I don't think that's a good idea, Mr. Mayor," Chuck replied, but he stopped the car.



Brian climbed out and Chuck and Justin followed him.



"What are you going to do, Brian?" Justin asked.



"Stay here.  I'll be right back."



Brian disappeared into the alley.  Chuck followed but kept his distance.  Brian looked around and saw a pile of cardboard up against a dumpster.  He walked over and raised the corner of the box.



"Get the fuck away from me!" the man inside yelled.



Brian stepped back.  "I wanted to give you this," Brian said, offering him a five dollar bill.



The man snatched it from him.  "First time I ever had anybody follow me to give me money," the man chuckled, but without much humor.



"How would you like to make twice that much?" Brian asked squatting down to be more on the man's level.



"What…what would I have to do?" the man asked fearfully.



"Nothing bad," Brian said.  "Would you be here Monday morning if I came to get you?"



"Are you going to have me arrested, put me away in some god forsaken place?"  The fear was evident in his voice.



"No, nothing like that," Brian said softly.  He didn't want to scare the man. "Why don't you go to a shelter tonight?  It's awfully cold."



"They steal everything, and some of them are mean."



"Really?"



"Yes, really!"



"So would you come and talk to me if I pick you up here on Monday morning?"



"Sure … for twenty … right?



"Twenty," Brian said and the man nodded.  "Here's another five to tide you over till then."



"Thanks, mister.  I'll be here on Monday," the man called as Brian walked away.  The beginnings of a plan were forming in Brian's head as he returned to the limo.  He and Justin got inside and Brian took his lover into his arms, to share body heat, but also to revel in the fact that they had each other and a safe, warm place to go home to.



"Get us home quick, Chuck," Brian said and kissed Justin long and slow.

Chapter 21 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 21 *

Early Monday morning Chuck picked up Brian at the loft as he did every day.  Once Brian was inside the car he told Chuck to take them back to the alley where he had talked to the homeless man on Friday night.



"Do you think this is wise?" Chuck felt compelled to ask.



"Yes, I do.  I think this man may have some important information that I need."



Chuck looked at Brian in the rearview mirror.  He could tell the mayor was very serious about whatever the fuck he was planning to do with this homeless man.  He'd have to be extra vigilant. He didn't want Brian getting ripped off or getting into trouble by frequenting some of the seedy places where this homeless guy hung out.



Chuck drove past the hotel where the ball had been held the night before, and then slowed as he neared what he thought was the alley where Brian had found the homeless man.



"I think this is the place," Chuck said looking back at Brian.  "Don't get out until I have a chance to look around."

Brian waited and after a minute or two Chuck opened the door.  "Do you see him anywhere?" he asked Chuck.



"Not out here, but he may be down the alley where you found him the other night."

They walked into the alley and Brian saw the pile of cardboard that the man had been under on Friday night.  He lifted the top layer and saw that the bum was still there.



"Morning," Brian said loudly enough to wake the man.



"You!" the man replied with some surprise.  "I never thought you'd come back."

"We had a deal," Brian said.



"Yeah, I guess we did," the man replied.



"How be I take you to get some breakfast?" Brian asked.



"Sure, but I still get the twenty bucks, don't I?"



"Yes," Brian replied.  He wondered how many times this man had been ripped off or fucked over that he was forever verifying that Brian wasn't going to do something underhanded to him.  "Let's go."

The man got up slowly obviously stiff from sleeping on little more than pavement.  He stretched a bit, and then began to half limp along behind Brian and Chuck. Brian opened the door of the limo and indicated that the man should get in.

"I…I couldn't get in there.  I'm dirty," he said. Brian saw what could only be described as a look of shame pass across his face.



"It's fine … really," Brian told him.  "Get in."

The man hesitantly slid into the car.  He settled himself against the opposite door as far away from Brian as he could get.  Brian sat on his side of the back seat watching the man's reaction.



"Take us to the diner, Chuck," Brian said.



The car pulled away.



"Who are you?" the man asked Brian.



"I guess we've never been formally introduced.  "I'm Brian Kinney, the mayor of this burg."

"Holy shit!" the bum replied.  "The mayor?"

Brian nodded.  "And you would be…?"

"Adam Pritchard."

"Hello, Adam.  Nice to meet you," Brian said holding out his hand.



Adam looked confused and then wiped his hand on his pant leg before taking Brian's to shake.  "Sorry it's not cleaner," he said softly.



"Sorry's bullshit," Brian stated as he so often did.  "You can wash up when we get to the diner."

"Thanks," Adam said staring at Brian with something close to wonder.



Brian wanted to find out Adam's story of how he ended up like this, but he thought that would best be discussed over breakfast.  "Did you have any belongings that we should have brought with us?" Brian said suddenly realizing that the man seemed to have only the clothes on his back, no shopping cart full of stuff like Brian thought most homeless people had.



"I have some good hiding places for my stuff.  It's safer there than carrying it around with me."

"I see," Brian said, not really seeing at all.  He wondered how anyone could live like this. And this man seemed reasonably intelligent despite everything.  They rode in silence until Chuck pulled up in front of the Liberty Diner.



Brian waited for Chuck to open the door and then he stepped out.  He waited for Adam to join him. Chuck gave Brian a disapproving look, but Brian refused to react.  Once Adam was out of the car he looked around, seemingly more frightened than ever.



"We could have gone to McDonald's," he said uncertainly.



"I never eat at that fucking place if I can help it," Brian said.



Adam stared at Brian.  The language and the demeanor of this man were very confusing.  He said he was the mayor and he had the limo, but he talked like any street person.  He didn't seem to be offended by Adam's look or smell. Adam was very uncertain about what he was doing here.



"Come on in," Brian said holding open the door of the diner.



Adam hesitantly crossed the threshold.  Brian saw Debbie waiting on a table so he ushered Adam towards a booth at the back.  He saw Debbie give him a disapproving look as he went by.



Brian slid into the booth.  Adam remained standing.



"Is it all right if I clean up a bit first?" Adam asked Brian.



"Back there," Brain said nodding towards the restrooms.



Adam hurried away to be quickly replaced with Debbie who slid into the seat across from him.



"What the fuck are you doing bringing that bum in here?" she asked.



"Good morning to you too, Deb," Brian said sarcastically.



"Brian, I don't appreciate having some dirty, smelly old coot stinking up the fucking place."

"He's homeless, Deb.  I'm trying to get some information from him that may help him and others like him."



"Oh," Debbie said completely taken aback at Brian's motivation.  "Well then, I'm glad you're here early before it gets too crowded."



"Fags sleep late every chance they get.  I didn't think it would be too packed in here at this time of the morning."

"Ahem," a voice said behind Debbie.  She turned to see that the man had obviously washed his face and hands and slicked back his hair.  He had removed his topcoat and appeared somewhat more presentable than he had when he came in. Debbie slid out of the seat allowing Adam to sit down.



"So what would you … gentlemen like today?" she asked.



"Debbie, this is Adam, Adam, Debbie."  They nodded at each other. "Order whatever you want," Brian told the man.



"Oh," Adam said his eyes lighting up.  "Could I have an omelet with toast and bacon?"



"Sure you can," Debbie replied.  "What kind of omelet would you like?"

"Western?" he said hopefully.



"Western it is.  Brian, what would you like?"

"Coffee."

"I should have known," she chuckled.  "Coming right up. For you too, Adam?"



"Yes, please."

Debbie smiled in spite of herself.  This man was trying to use his best manners and he seemed so … earnest.  How could she be pissed off about him being there?



"She's very nice," Adam said to Brian.



Brian stifled a snort.  "Yeah, she is," he admitted.



Debbie brought the coffee and poured them each a cup.  When she left, Brian asked, "So, Adam, how did you end up like this?"

"It's kind of a long story."

"I've got time, and you can eat as much as you want while we're talking."



"And I still get my twenty bucks?"

"Yes," Brian said with a little chuckle.

"Okay," Adam said smiling for the first time.  "I'm not sure where to start." He took a sip of his coffee and sighed contentedly.  "Good coffee. I guess it started when I lost my job. I worked in a factory. I was the floor manager.  Made pretty good money. I had a wife and a daughter and a home." His eyes took on a wistful look.



"What happened to them?" Brian asked.



"The plant closed down and I couldn't get a job as a manager anywhere.  I tried … I really did, but the economy wasn't so great and nobody would give me a chance.  I had some chances at factory work, but no manager's job. I turned them down, too proud, I guess," he said sadly.  "Things started to get tight. We were missing payments everywhere and my wife was getting fed up. One day she sent me out to find a job, any job, and when I came back she had moved out and taken our daughter with her.  She left me a note explaining that she couldn't stand it anymore, and not to try to find her. Everything went to shit after that."

"I can imagine."



Debbie set Adam's meal down in front of him.  "Enjoy," she said with a smile.



"Thank you, ma'am.  I sure will," Adam replied and he dug right in like he hadn't eaten in weeks.  Maybe he hadn't.



Brian watched for awhile then he said, "So how did you end up on the street."

"After Annie left, that's my wife's name, was my wife's name," he corrected, "I didn't have any ambition to do anything.  The hydro was cut off and then they foreclosed on the house. I was drinking quite a bit. Next thing I knew the car was gone too and I had no place to live."



"Did you try to get a job?"

"Sure, after awhile.  I guess I had to hit bottom before I wanted to start back up," Adam said philosophically.  "I was drunk a lot and just didn't care. One day I panhandled five bucks from some guy and went to go into a restaurant kind of like this one.  They refused to seat me and told me to get out. I stared in the window after they kicked me out, and suddenly I saw my face reflected there. I didn't know who that man was.  It scared the shit out of me."

"I bet," Brian said.



Debbie came over and poured them some more coffee.  She picked up Adam's empty plate. "Anything else?" she asked.



Adam looked at Brian who shrugged.  "Could I have a piece of apple pie?" he asked.



"Sure thing?  Want me to warm it up and throw on some ice cream?"


"Oh yes, please."



"So have you tried to get work?  You seem to have straightened up … the drinking anyway," Brian said.



"Nobody will consider me looking the way I do, and I have no address or phone for anyone to contact me."



Adam dug into his pie as soon as Debbie set it down.  She smiled at his enthusiasm.

"Would you still like to get a job?"

"Of course."

"Adam, I'm presenting a proposal to city council this afternoon.  It's to renovate an old hotel and make it into rooms for people like you.  There would be your own bed-sit and bathroom, and communal laundry, kitchen and employment service.  Do you think you would make use of that if it existed right now?"

"Sure I would.  How long would it be until it's ready?"

"Probably a year," Brian said.  He saw Adam's face fall. "I know that's a long way away for you, but I need your help.  Would you come to the council meeting this afternoon and tell your story. I want them to see the need for such a place and you could explain how it would help you."

"You want me to speak in front of a roomful of people?"  Adam shook his head. "I … I don't know."



"Adam, this is really important.  You would just need to tell them what you told me, and maybe answer a few questions."

Adam shook his head again.  "I don't think I can."

"If you will do this, I'll see you get cleaned up and some new clothes.  You could go looking for your own job afterwards."

Adam studied Brian's face.  He liked this man. He didn't promise things he couldn't deliver and he seemed like a straight shooter.  Maybe this was his one chance to get back to a normal life. "Okay," he said simply.



Brian smiled.  "Had enough?"

"Yes, thanks.  I really appreciate the meal.  I … I'm surprised that you would sit with me.  What kind of mayor are you?"

All the possible answers to that question ran through Brian's head.  "A good one, I hope," he finally said. "Listen, I need you to look like this when you speak to council.  Otherwise they'll think I hired you to play a part. I need you to be brutally honest with them."


"Sure," Adam replied.



"You won't get drunk or run off before the meeting, will you?"

"No, I won't," Adam promised.



"I'm going to go to my office and Chuck will take you to get some clothes for afterwards.  Okay? He'll bring you to City Hall at one o'clock."

"Okay."



They walked back out to the car and climbed in.  Brian hoped this would work. A lot was riding on Adam's performance at the council meeting.  He hoped he wasn't making a big mistake.



                                                             -----



Brian and Adam walked into the council room just before two o'clock.  Brian found a chair where Adam could sit until he was called upon. He turned to find a quiet and puzzled council staring at him.



"Shall we begin?" he asked.  "I call the meeting to order.  Please take your seats."

The councilors sat down staring at either him or Adam.  Roll call was taken and then Brian began, "If you have checked your agendas, you will notice that the first order of business is Councilman Jankowski's proposal about the renovation of an old hotel to create living spaces for homeless people.  Has everyone read the proposal?" People nodded and Brian continued. "As you can see, I have brought a guest to speak to you today about this proposal. Frank will answer your questions about finances and logistics later. First, I want you to meet Adam Pritchard.  Adam is homeless. I met him on the weekend outside the hotel where the Black and White Ball was being held. I want him to tell you his story before we discuss the practicality of this proposal."

Brian nodded to Adam who stood up and introduced himself.  He began to tell much the same story he had told Brian, adding some points and leaving out others.  Brian listened, but mainly he watched. The faces of most of the councilors started out as stony visages of disapproval.  As Adam's life story unfolded, they softened and then Brian began to see real concern and sadness appear. By the time Adam was finished the council looked like it would be much more receptive to Frank's proposal.



"Are there any questions for Adam?" Brian asked.



A few councilors asked some questions about how Adam would use such a residence.  They wanted to know if he would leave once he got a job. Adam suggested there be a six month to a year residency period to help get the homeless people on their feet.  He told them there were people who would still not make use of such a place. He explained that when he was drinking he wouldn't have allowed anyone to help him. He loathed himself too much.  Brian could tell that the councilors were very impressed with Adam, but he thought this had gone on long enough.



Just then Geoffrey brought in some copies of a report Brian wanted to hand out at the meeting.  It had been a rush job and Geoffrey had managed to come through.



"Geoffrey," Brian said, "would you escort Adam up to my office.  I'll join him when I'm done here."



Geoffrey made a small face, but signaled for Adam to follow him.  The two men exited and Brian turned back to the council to discuss what they had just heard.



                                                             -----



When the council meeting finally ended Brian made his way up to his office.  He wondered if Adam would still be there. Chuck would have gotten the man some new clothes, but he still hadn't received his twenty bucks.  Brian was pretty sure he'd still be there, at least until he got his money.



Brian opened the door to his office.  He saw Geoffrey and Adam sitting in the two chairs on one side of his desk.  They were deep in a discussion.



"Hey, boys," Brian said with a smirk.  He wondered if Geoffrey had stayed to safeguard the mayor's office from being ransacked by the bum.



"Mr. Mayor," Geoffrey said formally.  "I'll be going now. Good day, Adam. Remember what I told you."

Adam nodded and Geoffrey headed out the door.



"Thanks, Geoffrey," Brian called after him.  Geoffrey merely nodded slightly and disappeared.



"So what were you two so deep in discussion about?" Brian asked.



"He's such a nice man.  He thinks he can get me a job."

"Here?" Brian asked amazed.



"Oh God, no, nothing as grand as that."



"Then what?" Brian asked.  He knew Geoffrey had secrets but he couldn't imagine what kind of job he'd be getting for Adam.



"He's the president of his condo board.  It's made up of two buildings and they're looking for an assistant superintendent for the second building.  I'm real good at fixing things and there is a small apartment that goes with the job. Geoffrey's going to recommend me.  I have to go in front of the board tomorrow and they'll decide," Adam said with a grin.



"Things are looking up for you," Brian said pleased.



"Thanks to you.  I hope I get this job, but even if I don't I'll find something else," Adam stated with newfound confidence.  "Did I do all right for you … at the meeting?"

"You did just fine.  They passed the preliminary concept.  Now we have to tender the reconstruction."

"That's great, but I hope by the time it's finished I won't need to be one of the occupants."

"I hope that too.  Did Chuck get you some clothes?"

"Yes, I can wear them tomorrow.  Thank you, I really appreciate everything you've done."

"That's fine," Brian said not really liking to be thanked so much.  "I still owe you twenty bucks," he added fishing out his wallet.



"No, really, it's okay.  You spent more on my clothes than that."

This was a change in attitude.  Adam couldn't wait to get his money before.  Brian made a quick decision. "Adam, here's a hundred," he said holding out the money.  "I want you to take it and get a room for tonight, have a bath and get ready for your interview tomorrow.  This is a loan. Down the road, if … no, when … you get back on your feet, I'll expect to be repaid."



Adam stared at the mayor.  He could not believe what this man was doing for him.  He took the money with a quiet, "Thanks."


"I'll get Chuck to take you wherever you need to go."

"No, I'm fine.  I can get a bus.  Thanks again," he said moving to the door.  "I will pay you back," he said as he left.



"I'm counting on it."

As soon as Adam left, Cynthia came over.  "Is everything all right, Boss?" she asked.



"Just fine."

"Who was that guy?  Geoffrey spent all afternoon in there with him."



"I guess you could call him the first of my lost boys," Brian said softly.

Chapter 22 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 22 *

Brian had been surprised that there were no protesters at City Hall Monday morning.  He had seen the picture of him and Justin in the papers. They were dancing at the Black and White Ball.  They looked so happy that he almost wondered if that was really how they appeared to the rest of the world.



Brian was pleased to see that the picture was in the society section, not in the front section where the real news was located.  There were several other pictures of elegant couples dressed in black and white. The ball was quite a hit according to the newspaper account.  Brian would have to agree.



Tuesday morning there were three or four protesters outside City Hall when Brian arrived.  Brian was glad to see the small numbers, so he stopped to talk to them. The group may have been small but they were hardcore in their beliefs that his relationship with Justin was disgusting.  They refused to listen to anything he had to say. Finally he turned and without even a "Fuck you!" he walked into the building.



Cynthia greeted him when he got to his office.  "Hi, Boss. I see the protesters are back."

"Yeah, I was hoping they might give it up, but this is a determined little group.  I tried to talk to them, but they weren't interested."

"It is smaller than usual though," she said trying to look at the bright side.



"I guess, but there are some who will probably never quit."

She nodded, knowing he was right.  "I have some news for you," she said suddenly changing the subject.



"Oh, what?"

"Newsweek called and they want to do a feature on you."


"Newsweek, the magazine?  Are you shitting me?"

Cynthia chuckled.  "No, they called, and they will fly in this afternoon if you give the go ahead."



"What's involved in this besides more publicity and probably more protesters?" Brian said wryly.



"That's probably true," she admitted considering his words.  "I hadn't thought of that. Anyway, here's the woman's name that wants to do the piece.  She said to call if you had any questions."


"Get her on the phone for me?" Brian asked.



Cynthia nodded and Brian went into his office.  This was going to take some figuring out. It would be very cool to be on the cover of a real magazine, especially a prestigious one like Newsweek.  However, that would result in more protests he was sure, more disruption in their lives and God only knew what else.



The buzzer indicated that Cynthia had put his call through.  He picked up the receiver and said, "Ms. Morrison?"

"Mr. Kinney, how nice of you to return my call.  Can I start making arrangements to come to Pittsburgh?"

"Not quite so fast," he said, not sure whether he liked the flippant assumption that he would agree to the interview and the piece.



"Is there a problem?" she asked.



"I have some questions for you."

"Shoot."

"Just what is the focus of this article going to be?"

"It will follow your election as mayor of Pittsburgh and deal with some of the problems you have been having."

"Problems?" Brian asked trying to get her to clarify what she was talking about.



"You have been attacked and run over since you were elected, have you not?"

"And you know why?"

"I'm sure it's because you are gay."

"I guess you could say that.  So this article will be about me as gay mayor?"

"Not just that you are gay.  I want to look at politics and use you as an example of the need to be inclusive of all members of society, including gays.  I think you are a ground breaker of sorts, and I hope this article will show that we have come a long way, but we aren't there yet.  You are ahead of the wave. That's why you've had so much trouble, but hopefully you are paving the way for others to come after you."

Brian liked the sound of that.  He liked to think all of his problems meant something and that he was fighting the good fight.  It sounded like this woman was going to tell the story that way. But he had another concern.



"Are you planning to bring my partner into this story?" Brian asked.



"Oh yes!  I have read about your love affair and all the problems that resulted.  You do seem to attract trouble, Mr. Kinney."

"And I hope you're not bringing more of it," he said rather bluntly.



"Oh," she said slightly taken aback.  "That's not my intention at all."

"I hope not, but if you intend to write about my partner then I have to get his permission."



"Of course."

"Do I get any chance to see this article and check its accuracy before it is published?"



"You'll certainly be able to read it first, but I can't allow you carte blanche to edit it."

"Fair enough," Brian conceded.  "Can I trust you to be fair?"

"That would be a definite yes."

Brian liked that she didn't hesitate or fudge that answer.  He took that as a good sign. "Could you come tomorrow instead of today?" he asked.



"I guess so, but why?"

"I want to talk to my partner tonight.  If he doesn't want to do this, we won't.  I can let you know later tonight."

"Okay," she said.  "This is my cell phone number that you called.  Use it tonight one way or the other, but I hope it will be affirmative.  I think what you have accomplished is important."

"I'll get back to you," Brian said and hung up.



Brian leaned back in his chair.  This woman seemed all right, but he wasn't sure any reporter could be trusted.  The article might be a good thing, but he needed to talk to Justin about it before he decided anything.  He picked up another fucking report and began reading.



                                                             -----



Justin and Brian had just finished dinner.  As they loaded the dishwasher and cleaned up, Brian was deciding how to broach the subject of the Newsweek article with Justin.  He knew the boy would probably go along with anything he asked, and that was not what he wanted. He wanted Justin's honest opinion about whether they should agree to the article or not.



"Justin, I have something we need to talk about.  Have you got a minute?" Brian asked as Justin had headed for his desk, presumably to do schoolwork.



Justin stopped.  It wasn't often that Brian talked like this to him, all serious and quiet.  This must be something important. "Sure," he said, "I can spare a few minutes.  You sound so serious."

"I want your honest opinion, no bullshit, and no saying what you think I want to hear.  Okay?"

"Okay," Justin said staring into Brian's eyes.  He was getting a little concerned about what this might be.



They sat down on the sofa.



"I had a chat today with a reporter who works for Newsweek.  They want to do an article about me."

Justin's face lit up in a smile.  "That's great, Brian. You deserve some recognition after all you've been through and what you're trying to do."


"Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I think we need to look at the whole picture."

"Whole picture?  I don't understand."

"This article would be about me, an openly gay man elected as mayor of a big city.  The reporter, a Ms. Morrison, explained that she wants to talk about changing trends in the world of politics, about how I'm at the forefront of a fundamental change of attitude in this country."



"She said that?" Justin asked, his eyes large.  "That's a huge compliment, and I have to agree with her."



"Thanks again, but you would be part of the article too.  She wants to look at some of the … problems we've had. She's going to rehash a lot of stuff, and then it will all be out in public view all over again.  And you know where that usually gets us," Brian said ruefully.



"I see," Justin said slowly.  He seemed to be thinking about all the ramifications.  Brian was glad that he was taking his time and making a considered decision.  "So, are you asking for my permission to do this?" Brian nodded. "I say go for it."

"Are you sure?" Brian asked surprised that Justin sounded so definite.



"I'm sure.  It's kind of like the ball.  The more we're out in public view, the more they'll get used to us, and then hopefully, the less trouble we'll have in the long run."

Justin was suddenly engulfed in Brian's arms and the man's mouth sought his in a passionate kiss.  When Brian let him up, Justin gasped, "What was that for, not that I didn't like it?"


"You are the smartest, bravest, sexiest man I have ever met."

"Well, thank you," Justin giggled.  "Remind me to agree to something else real soon."



"You didn't just agree because you thought I wanted this, did you?"

"No, silly, I was teasing.  I think it's the right thing to do."

Brian kissed him again.  "I want to fuck you," he whispered into Justin's ear.



"I could take my break now and work later," Justin whispered back.



Brian began removing their clothes, pulling and shoving and ripping.  He wanted to tell Justin how much he loved him, but as always words were never the answer.  He would show him with actions. He took Justin's cock into his mouth and licked and sucked.  Justin knew he was in for a real treat. He could tell Brian was feeling very strongly about him.  He was going to show him how much he loved him. He knew it. That was one of the things he had learned post Ethan.  He understood Brian's language much better now.



When Brian entered him he could feel the love that Brian poured into him.  He understood that each nip at his neck meant that Brian needed him, that each caress along his back meant that Brian wanted only him, that each kiss meant that they were staying together, that each stroke was a declaration of love.



Brian thrust again and again.  He was sure that Justin was getting the message, his message of need and want and love.  He felt his climax approaching and hesitated. Justin looked over his shoulder when Brian stopped.



"You understand, don't you?" Brian gasped.



Justin nodded and Brian slammed home until they both came in explosive orgasms leaving them weak and spent.  Brian pulled out and Justin turned over. Brian cradled him against his chest on the narrow cushions of the sofa.



"I wish I could stay here with you all night," Justin said.



"The bed might be a bit more comfortable," Brian teased.



"I meant in your arms.  Do you think I could do my homework from here?"

"I could give you some more homework," Brian smirked tugging on Justin's cock and seeing the results he wanted.



"Brian," Justin complained.  "I have work to do and you should call that woman from Newsweek."

"When did you get to be so practical?  I think the bloom must be off our relationship if you're going to abandon me for fucking schoolwork."

Justin could tell he was teasing, but the man had said relationship without flinching and there was some truth in what Brian said.  "Maybe we're growing up," Justin said seriously. "Our priorities are changing."

Brian studied his face.  "I never wanted to grow up, you know.  That's why I fought so hard to keep my way of life when you came along.  I had responsibilities in my job and I always met those, but my personal life, such as it was, was completely devoid of responsibility, just the way I liked it."

"And I screwed all that up for you," Justin said watching Brian's reaction.



"You did, you and Gus.  Everything changed that night, even though I refused to admit it for so long."

"You mean you're admitting it now?" Justin asked with a grin.



"Yes, twat," Brian said kissing his nose.

"Well, now that we have that all straightened out I can go to work with a clear conscience."



"Okay," Brian groaned releasing the young man and letting him slide off the couch to the floor.



"You're right, the bed is more comfortable," Justin chuckled as he retrieved his clothes.



"We can prove that later."

"Later," Justin whispered in his sexiest voice.  He heard Brian groan again as he sashayed over to his desk.



                                                              -----



Justin was rereading an English essay that he had to discuss in his tutorial the next day when he heard Brian on the phone.



"Ms. Morrison, it's Brian Kinney."



"Fine, how are you?"

"Good.  I called to tell you that my partner thinks we should go ahead with the article."



Justin felt his heart swell at the easy way Brian talked about him as his partner.  Brian introduced him that way all the time now, but it never sounded as real as it did when it just came out naturally, like now.



"Do you need someone to meet you at the airport?"



"Okay, so you should be at City Hall around ten-thirty.  I'll expect you then."

"Thanks, I hope I don't regret doing this too."

"Fine."



The conversation must have been completed because Brian stopped talking.  Justin put down the paper he had been reading. He rubbed his eyes and decided he'd had enough for tonight.  He should be able to get through the tutorial without too much trouble.



He leaned back in his chair and thought about his "relationship" with Brian.  He couldn't believe how things had changed. Ever since Brian had decided to run for mayor and had asked Justin to stand up with him to do it, their lives had changed dramatically.  Who would have thought that they would be dancing at the Black and White Ball in front of the crème de la crème of Pittsburgh society? Who would have thought that Brian would be elected in the first place?  And he was making such an effort to be the best mayor he could be. Justin was so proud of him. Who would have thought that they would both be in the next issue of Newsweek? His mother and Daph were going to be fucking proud.  He could hardly wait to tell them. He wondered if his asshole of a father would even notice. He squashed that thought and returned to happier ones.



He thought about how well he and Brian got along now.  Sure there were a few blips now and then, like the Michael/Bruce Springsteen fiasco, but they were few and far between.  Mostly they supported each other. Even though Brian was the breadwinner and the "media star", he made sure to consult with him about everything important, like this article and going to the Black and White Ball.  Justin smiled to himself.



"What are you smiling at, little boy?" Brian asked coming up behind him.

Justin jumped.  "I was just thinking about how things have changed since you got elected."



"Oh you mean, like how I can afford to feed you now?"

"Brian," Justin whined and then swatted him one.



"Ow," Brian complained.  "I came to see if you were done."

"I'm done," Justin replied, "but I'm ready for something a little different."

"Are you now?"

"Um hmm," Justin nodded with a little smile.



"What do you have in mind?"

"Come here," Justin said pulling Brian's face close to his.  "I want to fuck you," the young man whispered in his ear.



Brian felt his cock jump.  He rarely allowed this to happen, but he knew Justin really enjoyed it when he did.  And truth be told he enjoyed it too. "Feeling a little frisky tonight, are we?"

Justin grinned and nodded.  "Can we?"

"Come to bed," Brian said his voice husky with desire.



Justin was on his feet and into the bedroom before Brian could move.  "Hey, wait for me. I think I'm a necessary part of this equation."

"More than necessary," Justin chuckled, "downright essential."



Justin waited for Brian to make his way to the bedroom and then he started undressing the man.  Brian stood still not helping at all. Justin nibbled and licked and kissed each part of the naked Brian he was exposing.  When he had all the clothes off the man he quickly removed his own. Brian stood in the same spot watching him. He could feel his cock grow with each new patch of delicious Justin flesh that was revealed.



When the clothes were gone, Justin turned and stared at Brian.  He held out his hand and Brian reached for it. Justin grasped it firmly and pulled Brian into a kiss filled with promise and desire.  He shoved Brian back and toppled them both onto the bed. His slender frame covered Brian's larger body and he started a slow, sensual body rub, using every part of his own body to do the rubbing.  His lips never left Brian's, pausing only occasionally to allow an intake of much needed breath.



When they were both hard and aching for release, Justin stopped and grabbed the lube and condom.  He quickly prepared Brian and himself and pressed in. Brian's legs came up around his back and squeezed the blond to him.  He held Justin still, partly embedded.



"Be gentle," he whispered.



Justin grinned and quickly plowed the rest of the way in.  He knew Brian didn't really mean gentle. He was teasing him.  "Like that?" he asked.



"Just like that!" Brian said as all the air was expelled from his body.



Justin drew back until only his cock head remained inside.  "I'm going to be gentle again."



Brian nodded and Justin drove back in.  "Perfect," the man gasped.



Justin smiled.  "So much more gentleness to bestow upon you, sweet prince!"  He thrust in again swift and strong.



Brian grunted his approval.  A few more strokes and words became irrelevant and impossible.  Justin jabbed quickly as his body began to reach the ultimate release.  He grabbed Brian's cock and stroked in time with his thrusts. Brian came first and clamping down on Justin's cock, sent the boy over the edge as well.



"You are such a sweet, gentle thing," Brian groaned as he regained his faculties.



"I try," Justin replied.



"I wonder if Newsweek would like a photo of some of these activities.  We could really cause a scandal then," Brian mused.



"Don't joke about that.  I don't want anything bad to come from this article.  It should be a good thing."



Brian sighed.  He hoped it would be good too, but he seriously doubted the results would turn out that way.  Nothing in his life seemed to happen like that. "I could ask Ms. Morrison to be gentle with me," Brian said tongue in cheek.



"You fucking better not," Justin threatened.



Brian chuckled.  Justin was so easy sometimes.  "I'm only kidding, Justin. The only one I want to be gentle with me is you."

"And just you remember that," Justin said giving him a big kiss.


Chapter 23 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 23*

Brian was working in his office when Cynthia buzzed to tell him that Robin Morrison from Newsweek had just arrived.  He was tempted to make her wait and show her who was in charge, but he decided that he would rather try to get on her good side and maybe influence how she portrayed things in the article.  He told Cynthia to send her in.



A minute later the door to his office opened and a petite red-haired whirlwind blew in.  He wondered if she knew Debbie.



"Robin Morrison," the woman said shaking his hand and smiling a smile that could melt steel.



"Brian Kinney, pleased to meet you."

"Nice office," she said looking around and giving him the once over.  "I see we have a mayor in Armani."

"Is that a problem?" Brian asked not liking the scrutiny.



"Not at all, just an observation," she said with a smile.  "At least you have good taste which is more than I can say for some other mayors that I have met."

Brian remained silent studying her.  He realized there was a man standing in the doorway with Cynthia.  He looked at the man who came forward once Brian realized he was there.



"Hi," he said.  "I'm Demetri, the photographer for this story."



"Nice to meet you," Brian said extending his hand, his gaydar pinging like crazy.



Robin had been watching them.  "So," she said, "shall we get started?"


"What do you want to do first?" Brian asked.



"How about some pictures of you behind your desk looking very official?"

"Sure."

Brian sat down and picked up a report.  He rested his forearms on the edge of his desk and started to read.  He heard the shutter of Demetri's camera clicking as he took some shots.



"Do you always read in that stiff position?" Demetri asked smiling suggestively at Brian.



"No," Brian replied, "sometimes I read like this."  He leaned back in his chair and put his feet up on his desk.  He read some more of the report as Demetri clicked away.



After a few minutes Robin said, "Okay, enough already!  I know he's photogenic, but I'd like to find out if he can string a sentence together."

Demetri stopped taking photos and started putting his camera away.



Brian stared at Robin.  "I don't like being talked about like I'm not here, and the implication of your words was …"



"Derogative?"  Robin completed the sentence for him.  "I'm sorry. It's just that sometimes Demetri gets carried away when he's photographing … gay men.  He drives me crazy." Demetri made a face at her. "But I love his work. There is no one better," she cooed.  Demetri grinned at her.

"How lovely for both of you," Brian said sarcastically totally put off by this display.



Robin snorted at Brian's comment.  "Maybe you can string a sentence together," she said eyeing him up and down.



"You fucking better believe it, and if you can't conduct this … interview in a more civil and professional manner, you can get the fuck out of my office."

"My, my, my, somebody has a temper."

"You haven't seen anything yet.  I don't need this interview and I'm beginning to wonder why the hell I agreed to do it."  Brian's temper was reaching the boiling point.



"Demetri," Robin said, "get us settled at the hotel while I interview Mr. Kinney.  If I want more pictures this afternoon I'll call you there."



Demetri picked up his bag, gave a little glance toward Brian and left the office without another word.


"Could we start this all over again?" Robin asked.  "I think we got off on the wrong foot."

"That's for damn sure.  What the hell was that all about?" Brian asked not willing to forgive without an explanation.



Robin sighed.  "First let me apologize.  I admit that was unprofessional.  You see, Demetri and I always work together and we tease and torment each other all the time.  I often forget that nobody else knows that. I didn't mean to be rude to you, but Demetri is gay and he was cruising you big time."

"You noticed?" Brian asked with a smirk.



"I'm sure you did too.  He's about as subtle as a Brahma bull.  Sometimes he drives me nuts."



"Point taken.  Okay, let's start over."

"Great," Robin said with a smile.  "Can I ask you some questions now?"

"Shoot."



"You were in advertising before you got into politics.  Why did you make the switch?"

"You must have read about my infamous past in preparation for this article.  Are you just going to rehash old news?"

"You don't like wasting time, do you?" Robin asked.



"Not if I can help it."

"Okay, so you masterminded the downfall of Jim Stockwell who was your client at the time.  Again I ask why?"


"Because he was a sleazy bastard who hates gays.  He targeted that community, directly, and in every backhanded way he could.  He actually fired me the first time when he found out I was gay."

"And he hired you back?"



"Yeah," Brian said thinking about why he had gone back.  "He was being labeled a homophobe and his numbers were dropping.  He asked me to come back and help him. I had him make a statement to the press about how his main advisor, namely me, was gay.  I told him to confront the accusations and say that he welcomed dissent."


"Kind of like the way you confronted the allegations about you when you were running for mayor?"

"Something like that," Brian said making a mental note that this woman was no dodo.  She knew the score. "I believe in facing things head on, in using the truth 'as an assault weapon' as Stockwell once told me."

"That's a good line."

"Thanks, and I didn't even think that one up myself."



"You've been attacked and harassed since you were elected.  How has that affected you?"

Brian looked thoughtful.  He wondered how much he should reveal.  Then he decided that he would do what he had just told her and be brutally honest.  "I almost resigned … twice."

"Twice?  Why didn't you?"

"The first time the attackers pissed me off and Justin and I decided we weren't going to let them win.  The second time, when I was run over, I had had enough. I went to City Hall to tell council that I was resigning.  Justin and one of the councilmen, Frank Jankowski, had put out the word about what I was going to do, and council talked me out of it."



"They did?  Isn't that pretty unusual?"

Brian didn't know how to answer that.  "I guess maybe it is. I really don't know much about politics so it never really occurred to me that it was unusual.  I was just so taken aback that they cared enough to try to convince me to stay."



"Why were you so surprised?"

"I wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms."

"Did that bug you?"



"Of course it did, but I expected it, for a lot of reasons."

"Because you're gay?" she asked.



"Yes, but also because I'm a political neophyte.  I have no experience. I knew I would have to prove myself."

"Well it sounds like you have."

"I've hardly started."



Robin stared at him.  This man didn't seem to take anything for granted.  "You mentioned Justin a couple of times. He's your partner.  How has he fared in all this?"

"It's been a roller coaster ride for both of us.  But he's a rock. He's always there when I need him and he pushes me to make the right decision."

"He sounds very important to you, to your life."

"He is," Brian said simply.



"Care to tell me about him?" she asked.



"I'd rather not.  You can meet him if you want and draw your own conclusions."



"I'd … like that," she said with her megawatt smile.



"Would you like to meet us for dinner?" Brian asked.



"Am I being dismissed already?" she asked.



Brian knew she was smart.  "I do have work to do, you know.  I am the mayor," he teased.



"Point taken," she said throwing his own words back at him.  "Tell me where you want to have dinner and Demetri and I will meet you there."

They made the arrangements and Robin left.  Brian sat down at his desk. He wasn't the least bit sure how that had gone.  He was having trouble reading where Robin Morrison was coming from. He knew she was smart.  He wondered if there was a hidden agenda she was following. Maybe he could find out at dinner tonight.


                                                              -----



Justin walked through the door of the restaurant, Brian close behind him.  He scanned the room but he didn't really know who he was looking for. Brian pointed him to the right and they started to make their way to one side of the room.  Justin was a little nervous about meeting this reporter. He hoped he wouldn't let Brian down or say something too inane.



"Robin, Demetri," he heard Brian saying. "This is Justin."



Justin stared at the red haired woman and said, "Hello."  He shook the hand of the man who was quite nice looking and was certainly cruising him big time.  They got seated and ordered a drink. Justin was glad they came to a restaurant where he was known.  He hated it when he still got carded.



"So, Justin," Robin said, "have you and Brian been together long?"

"Almost two years," Justin said and left it at that.



"Why do I think there's more to that than you're telling me?" she asked.



"Shall we order?" Brian jumped in.


They got that out of the way and the waiter brought their salads.  Demetri had his eyes glued to Justin most of the time. Brian couldn't believe his blatant interest.



"So, Justin, have you recovered from the effects of the bashing?" Robin asked.  She saw Brian and Justin both flinch. "I'm sorry," she said quickly. "Shouldn't I have brought that up?"

"It's not the easiest topic for us to discuss," Brian stated, clearly telling them that if Justin didn't want to talk about it, he didn't have to.



"It's all right, Brian," Justin said regaining his equilibrium.  "I'm pretty much back to normal. I had a lot of trouble with my right hand, my drawing hand, and it's still not a hundred percent.  But I survived."



"You look great.  I'm sure Demetri would like to take some pictures of you," Robin said.



"Sure, I guess," Justin agreed.  He knew Demetri was interested in him and made a mental note to make sure Brian was present when those pictures were taken.



"Did you have any other problems after the … incident?"

"I had some nightmares, post traumatic stress.  They're mostly gone now."

"That's good.  What happened to the guy who bashed you?"

"He got community service."  Justin was tempted to mention the incident with Chris during the campaign but he didn't see what that would accomplish.



"That's awful," Demetri stated.



"It wasn't reported as a hate crime, so it was considered a simple assault," Justin added ruefully.



"Another example of how gays get less than fair treatment," Robin offered.



"Yeah," Brian said.  He had remained silent letting Justin show his intelligence and understanding of the significance of the events.



"Could we get some pictures of you two in your home?" Robin asked.  "I'm sure the readers would like to see where you live."

"Don't you mean that they want to see the den of iniquity where the fags practise their immoral activities?" Brian asked with more than a little acid in his voice.



"Some will want to see exactly that, but I doubt your home is any kind of den," Robin said.



"We can go there after dinner, if you want," Justin volunteered.



"That would be great," Robin said noting that it was Justin who suggested that and not Brian.



Their dinners arrived and they ate mostly in silence with a little bit of small talk thrown in.  Robin insisted on paying for dinner. It was on her expense account. They left for the loft, Robin and Demetri following the Corvette in their rental car.



"What's wrong?" Justin asked noting Brian's continued silence.



"I don't really want these people in our home."



"But you must have known they were going to ask?"

"I thought this fucking article was about me being mayor."

"It is, but it's also about you as a gay man and me as your partner."


Brian glanced over at Justin.  He knew he was right but that didn't mean he liked having these people invade his home.  He sighed.



"You … we have a great home.  It could be in Architectural Digest.  Everyone will be really impressed," Justin said trying to put a positive spin on this.



"Yeah, but then they will know where we fuck and eat and fuck."

"Is that what you're worried about?  I'm sure Robin isn't going to caption the pictures that way," Justin said with a chuckle.



"I like my privacy," Brian said stubbornly.



"I know you do but you can't have it both ways.  If you agree to the article some loss of privacy goes with it."

Brian glared at him.  "Sometimes you are so fucking annoying, especially when you're right."



Justin chuckled.  They pulled up in front of the loft and met Robin and Demetri on the front step.  Demetri had his camera all unpacked and ready. He smiled broadly at Justin. Justin did his best to ignore the man.  They rode up in the elevator with Robin asking about renovations of old buildings in Pittsburgh. Brian told her about the old hotel to be turned into accommodation for homeless people.  She seemed impressed.



"What a great space!" Robin said looking around.  "Demetri, get a few shots of the empty loft and then we'll get some with Brian and Justin."



Demetri began clicking away.  Justin offered them drinks and they got settled on the sofa.  Robin told Demetri to get some pictures of the two men together.



"So who cooks or do you share responsibilities?" Robin asked.



"That would be me," Justin stated.  "Brian's not a cook."

"I'm not surprised," Robin said with a laugh.


"And why is that?" Brian asked defensively.



"I just don't see you in your Armani suit cooking anything."

"I don't wear Armani when I'm home," Brian stated.



"No, he wears Prada," Justin teased.  Brian swatted his arm. "I'm just kidding," Justin admitted.



"What do you wear to relax?" Robin wanted to know.



"What difference does that make?" Brian asked wondering why anyone would want that information.



"Readers like personal tidbits.  It makes the person more real to them."

"Oh," Brian said uncertainly.  "I wear jeans and T-shirts to relax."

"And no shoes," Justin volunteered.



"You don't like shoes?" Robin asked.



"Not if I don't have to wear them.  Unfortunately here in Pittsburgh they are a necessity for most of the year."

"You'd rather be on a beach somewhere?" Robin pursued.



"Maybe," Brian replied.  "I like tropical heat, but my life's here in Pittsburgh right now."

"Very politically correct," Robin observed.



"Don't say that to me," Brian cautioned.



"I can see I've hit a nerve."


"I don't like that fucking expression!  It implies that the person speaking doesn't really mean what they say, that they're covering up their real feelings about something."

"And aren't you?"

"No, I say what I mean.  There was a time I couldn't wait to get to New York, to the big time as I saw it, but things have changed.  My life is here, at least for the foreseeable future."

"Okay," Robin replied.  "I'll try never to use that phrase around you.  Demetri, have you got enough pictures here?"



"I guess," Demetri replied looking rather longingly at Justin.



"Then let's go.  I'll be at your office at nine tomorrow morning.  I want to interview some people there and follow your day as mayor."

"Sure," Brian agreed not enjoying this any better as time went on.



Brian showed the two out and locked the loft door behind them.  He turned to face Justin. "I'm surprised Demetri didn't ask you to show him the bedroom and how to use it," Brian said tongue in cheek.



"Stop it, you," Justin said.  "You know I'm not interested in him."



"He's sure interested in you."



"Come to bed and make me forget all about him," Justin said and took Brian's hand.

Chapter 24 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 24 *

Robin and Demetri spent the next two days following Brian around and generally prying into everything he did.  Brian would come home at night and rant at Justin about what a nuisance they were. Justin would calmly remind him that he had given permission for them to do this.  Brian would be royally pissed off and then he would screw Justin senseless and the next day would begin anew.



Cynthia was interviewed by Robin who wanted to know why she had followed Brian from the advertising firm.  She made it very clear that Brian was an extremely smart and fair man who was also extremely difficult to work for.  But they both knew that and they got along fine as a result. She said that Brian would be totally lost without her and he agreed when Robin asked him for verification.  He added that he would deny that statement if she told anyone. Robin began to see why Cynthia liked her boss so much. She could see that although he was difficult and testy, he had a sense of humor and he inspired people to do their best because he would stand for nothing less.  He expected nothing less from himself as well. That was a man to be reckoned with.



"So, Cynthia," Robin said as they wrapped up their interview, "where do you and Brian go from here?"

"Well," Cynthia said wondering how she should answer that question, "we're here for the rest of Brian's term.  Then I guess it will depend upon what Brian chooses to do. He could run again or maybe go back into advertising, start his own company."



"He has lots of options?"

"I think that man can do anything he puts his mind to."

"You have a lot of respect for him, don't you?"

"I certainly do, and so should everyone else.  He's a tough cookie with a heart that's in the right place, but don't tell him I said that.  He'll think I'm going soft."

Robin chuckled.  Brian didn't appreciate soft, but Robin was beginning to realize there was a big softie under that tough veneer and that was why people, deep down, liked him so much.  Most of them would be afraid to tell him that though.



Robin had interviewed Geoffrey Cheeks next.  She didn't quite know what to make of the stiff, formal … prick that he appeared to be.  She wondered how Brian ever put up with him. She couldn't imagine that he would have anything good to say about Brian.  Maybe he would really give her some dirt or some juicy tidbits at least.



"So how does Brian compare to the previous mayor?" Robin asked Geoffrey.



"He doesn't," he replied.



"What does that mean?"



"That there is nothing to compare between the two," Geoffrey repeated.



God, this man could be frustrating.  "How do you like working for this mayor?"

"I enjoy my job as much as anyone does."

"But how does this particular gay mayor rate as a boss?"

"Technically he is not my boss.  I work for the city."

Jesus, this was like pulling teeth.  "Geoffrey, what do you think of Brian Kinney as a man and as the mayor of Pittsburgh?" Robin asked hoping that was blunt enough to get some kind of reaction from him.



"I think Mr. Kinney has had a steep learning curve.  He knows next to nothing about politics, but he does take guidance when he sees that it is warranted.  He is progressing along nicely in his job."



Robin sighed.  What the fuck did he just say?  "Let's be blunt," she said. "Do you like the mayor?"



"Yes."



"What?"



"I said yes."

"Would you care to explain your answer?"

"What's to explain?"

Robin gave up at that point.  She knew Geoffrey had years of experience at deflecting unwanted questions about any number of things.  Obviously he wasn't going to give her any information that would be useful for the article.



She then tried speaking to council members.  Most of them said that they were quite impressed with the new mayor.  They had been skeptical at first, but he had worked hard and had mastered his role quite quickly.  They hadn't given him a very warm reception, but he hadn't held that against them. He had merely asked them to be fair and they had agreed.  In return he had been very fair, listening to their ideas and concerns and trying to come up with solutions that would benefit everyone. They explained about asking Brian to stay on when he was going to resign.  All council members told Robin that they thought the attacks on the mayor were unwarranted and despicable. That was part of why they asked him to stay. He at least deserved a decent chance.



When she asked if there was anyone who would like to speak personally with her about the mayor, Frank Jankowski had stepped forward.  They had moved to his office space where Frank proceeded to tell her about his interaction with Brian



Robin was surprised at the easiness with which the older man accepted Brian as mayor.  He seemed to have no problem with Brian being gay. He told her about Justin and his wife getting together at the inaugural and how his wife had made him look out for Brian because she liked Justin so much.



"Justin seems to be very important to Brian," Robin said waiting to see what Frank would say in response to that.



"I think they're very important to each other.  Justin is a smart, creative young man. He's a wonderful artist."



"Is he?" Robin asked.  That had not come up in their discussions.  "What do you think about their age difference?"

"I think it's none of my business.  If they're happy together, who cares?"

Robin had thanked Frank for his candor and the information he had provided.  She was beginning to wonder what was going on. Nobody seemed to have a bad word about Brian.  That was not what she had expected. Not that she wanted to vilify him, but she had expected that he would have lots of opposition and she had been going to show how he had to fight against prejudice every day.  It seemed like she had gotten it wrong. The prejudice came from the outside, from people who didn't know Brian, from people with preconceived ideas about gays. She was going to have to reevaluate the focus of her article.



Robin went up to Brian's office.  She needed to straighten some things out and get the article's focus clear in her mind.  She waited patiently while Brian finished up a meeting with someone. All the time her brain was mulling over how people had nothing but good things to say about Brian, even to some extent, Geoffrey Cheeks.



The door to Brian's office opened.  The mayor and a middle aged lady came out of his office.  They stopped outside and the woman gave the mayor a gentle peck on the cheek.  He seemed to be blushing.



"Thank you so much," she said.



"It's nothing, Louise," he said.  "See you tomorrow night."

He quickly disappeared back into his office.  Louise smiled after him and headed for the elevators.  On an impulse Robin ran after her.



"Excuse me," she said.  "Could I speak to you for a moment?"



"Well, I … I don't know who you are," Louise said completely flustered by this very forward woman.



"Let me introduce myself.  My name is Robin Morrison. I work for Newsweek magazine and I'm here doing a story about Brian.  I couldn't help but notice that you were thanking him for something and that you gave him a kiss."



"He's very kissable," Louise said with a giggle and a blush.  "Too bad he's gay."

Robin had to smile too.  She had been thinking the same thing for the last day or so.  "Could I interview you for the article I'm doing?"

"Oh my, I don't think I'd know what to say."

"It would just be about how you know Brian and what he's like."

"Well, I hope it will be a nice article.  That poor boy has had enough problems. He doesn't need any more trouble."

"Come sit with me over here and tell me how you come to know Brian."

Robin guided Louise into the office she had been using since she arrived in Pittsburgh.  She got Louise a coffee and then asked her again about her relationship with Brian.



"I first met Brian when I was a protester outside this very building."



"What were you protesting?" Robin asked.



"Why that we had a gay mayor, of course," Louise said as if Robin was somewhat dense.



"You were protesting against Brian and I just saw you kiss him and thank him."



"That's right."

"Could you explain that to me, please," Robin asked.  This was getting curiouser and curiouser.



"My church group came here after his picture with his partner appeared in the newspaper.  They had danced at the inaugural and kissed. My church group felt it was a disgusting display.  A man from the church whom I was dating at the time kind of made me come. I didn't know anything about homosexuality, other than most people thought it was a sin.  Brian came over to our group and tried to talk to us. Most of them wouldn't listen, but he said that if anyone really wanted to know the facts about what kind of man he was they should come up to his office.  I went up and he talked to me for most of the morning." Louise glowed in triumph, like she had been vindicated.



"So, did he convert you to homosexuality?" Robin asked.



"That's not funny, young lady," Louise replied seriously.  "He explained that he loved Justin, his partner, and that he didn't mean to offend anyone.  That's just the way it is."

Robin studied this woman who was so supportive of Brian when she had started out being just the opposite.  "Why were you thanking Brian out there?"

"He agreed to come speak to my new church group tomorrow night."

"What's he going to speak about?"

"Why about being mayor and being gay.  I want them to see what a lovely man he is.  There's nothing to be afraid of, you know."

Robin chuckled.  "I know."



"The ladies in the church group will be captivated.  He's very good looking and such a gentleman."

"I guess he is," Robin said thoughtfully.  "Do I have your permission to use this story in my article?"

"I don't really see why you would want to, but I guess so."

"Thanks Louise, it was nice to meet you."

"You too," Louise replied standing and preparing to leave.  "Oh, and I meant what I said. You be nice to Brian in that article."

"I'll see what I can do."



Robin sat thinking for a few minutes before she went out to ask Cynthia if Brian could see her now.  She wondered how many other people Brian might have touched since he became mayor. There was obviously more to this man than Armani suits.



Brian said she could come in and Robin entered his office.  She stood looking at him rather quizzically.



"What's wrong?" he asked.



"Nothing's wrong.  I'm trying to figure out how to approach this article."

"I thought you had that all worked out."

"So did I."

"So what's changed?"

"You."

"Me?  What are you babbling about?"

"Every time I turn around I get a new impression of you from someone."

"I'm a man of many layers," Brian said with a smirk.



"I'm beginning to figure that out."



"What's going on?" Brian asked with a frown.  He wasn't sure he liked this scrutiny.



"You don't like people to know who you really are, do you?"

"I'll tell you a secret.  I really don't know who I am."

"I think you do, but you choose to cover up the real you with this façade of slick words and semi-obnoxious behavior."

Brian stared at her.  He didn't like the direction this was heading.  "Has something happened?" he asked.



"You could say that.  I've been hard pressed to find anyone who would say a harsh word about you."

"Then you're either asking the wrong people or I'm slipping."

"Oh, they know you're tough and they'll get chewed out if they don't do their job at the max, but they respect you for that and think you have the makings of a good mayor."

"And there's a problem with that?" Brian asked in amazement.



"I came here expecting to find a staff up in arms over having to work with a gay mayor, an inexperienced gay mayor.  Instead I find people who don't seem to care that you're gay and think you're doing just fine as mayor."

"I still don't see what the problem is."

"My article was going to be about the problems of being gay and trying to run a big city."



"Couldn't it just be about the problems of running a big city?" Brian asked.



"That wouldn't be much of a story."

"I beg to differ.  It's a much more important story than me being gay."

"But you being gay is why I came here.  I was going to call the piece 'The Winds of Change' and show that the country is changing but there are still prejudices and problems with being a gay mayor."

"But there are."

"Like what?"

"Are you forgetting why I almost quit twice and the daily protesters outside the front doors every fucking day?"

"I met one of those protesters a few minutes ago."



"You did?  Who?" Brian asked but he already knew.



"A lady named Louise who had nothing but kind words to say about you.  She told me in no uncertain terms that I was to do a nice article about you.  She said you'd had enough trouble and I shouldn't cause any more."

Brian chuckled.  "Trust Louise. So are you going to follow her advice?"



"I think maybe I am."

"Really?" Brian asked with a grin.



"Really."



                                                            -----



Brian arrived home to find Justin preparing dinner.



"You didn't have to cook," Brian told him after they had said hello.



"I felt like it."

"You have a lot of stuff on your plate, Justin.  I don't want you to feel that you have to do this and look after me."

"Who are you?" Justin asked with a giggle.  "What brought on this attitude?"

Brian scowled at him.  "I realized today just how much you actually have to deal with and I'm a big part of the equation."

"So?" Justin asked puzzled.  "We both know that you can be a handful, Mr. Mayor.  I don't understand why this concern all of a sudden."

"Robin wants to interview you alone and ask you about your art work and other stuff."

"Oh, I see now.  You want me to gloss over how demanding and grumpy you are most of the time.  I'll try to paint a glowing picture," Justin teased.



"I'm serious, Justin.  You don't have to gloss over anything.  She made me realize how much you do – student, waiter, comic entrepreneur, partner, chef, lover…"



"It seems to me that 'lover' takes up a goodly portion of my time, and I don't mind a bit."



"Come here, and turn off the stove."

Justin knew that supper was going to have to wait awhile.  He turned everything off and walked over to Brian.



"I do appreciate everything you do, you know," Brian said as he began removing articles of Justin's clothing.



"I'm glad you do, but you do lots of things for me too."  Justin got rid of Brian's suit jacket and began working on the buttons of his shirt.



"Probably not as much as I should."  Brian pushed Justin's pants down his legs and he stepped out of them.



"True, but it's nice to be appreciated every now and then."  Justin pulled off Brian's shirt and licked his nipples sucking on each one.



Brian groaned and his hand reached inside Justin's underwear.  He grasped the growing organ and tugged as Justin undid his pants and shoved then down taking his underwear with them.  Brian kicked off his shoes and stepped out of his pants. Brian shoved Justin's underwear down and helped him off with his shoes and socks.  They stood naked just inside the loft door.



"I'm going to show you how much I appreciate you," Brian declared and dropped to his knees.



Justin backed up against the counter as Brian took his cock into his mouth.  He knew he was going to need some support by the time Brian was finished with him.



Brian licked all over Justin's cock sucking the precum from the slit and using it to slick the sides of the cock.  He pulled the rock hard organ into his mouth and tongued all over it. He looked up to see Justin's head back and his mouth hanging open.  He was going to pleasure Justin like he never had before. He wanted the young man to know how much he needed and depended on him, and that he understood all he did in this relationship.



He released Justin's dick until only the head remained in his mouth.  He sucked hard and ran his tongue through the slit. Justin gasped and arched forward.  Brian sucked the rod back into his mouth and began working up and down the shaft using his lips and his well honed sucking action.  Justin began to pump forward as his orgasm built. Brian stayed still and allowed his partner, yes his partner and his equal, to fuck his face.



After a minute or two he grabbed Justin's hips to still them and looked up at his lover.  Justin opened his eyes and smiled in a groggy haze. Brian's hand clamped around the base of Justin's dick and he sucked up and down mercilessly.  He could hear Justin panting and moaning above him. He reached in and cupped Justin's balls feeling how heavy and full the sac was. He rolled them around and hummed over the cock that he held in his mouth.  With one swift stroke he sucked the cock down his throat and swallowed around it while gently squeezing Justin's balls.



The boy stiffened, screamed Brian's name and came in wave after wave that shot down Brian's throat.  He milked him dry and then stood to hold the dazed boy in his arms. Justin leaned against his chest until his breathing returned to normal.



"That was awesome," Justin whispered.



"There's much more to come," Brian whispered back.



"I'll remember this when Robin asks me the tough questions," Justin teased.



"Good, my plan is working," Brian chuckled.



"You can use this plan any time you like," Justin said with a grin.



"Let's go to the bedroom.  I'm going to make you like this plan even more."

"Sounds good," Justin said leaning against Brian as they made their way up to the bedroom.



"I really do … appreciate you," Brian stated again.



"I know."

Chapter 25 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 25 *

Justin met Robin at a coffee shop near PIFA.  He wasn't sure what else he could tell her about Brian that she didn't already know and that he was willing to reveal.  There were some things that were private between him and Brian. He wasn't prepared to talk about those. There were other things that he knew Brian would not want revealed and he had no intention of letting any of those out.



"Hey," Justin said seeing Robin as he came into the shop.  He went and got a coffee and joined her at her table.



"How are you today?" Robin asked.



"Fine," Justin replied wondering why she was starting like this.  He had already learned that she didn't beat around the bush.



"I had a chat with Brian about all the things you are doing in your life right now.  How do you juggle it all?"

"I don't know," Justin replied wondering what she was getting at.  "I just do it." He knew Brian had talked to her about this and he had gotten his reward last night for all the things he did for the man.  A smile played at the corners of his mouth.



"What are you thinking about?" Robin asked with a grin.



"Nothing," Justin replied quickly.  "Brian told me you had talked about my … role in his life."

"Does he tell you everything?"



Justin almost choked on that one.  She obviously had no idea how much Brian kept to himself.  It had taken Justin the full two years that they had known each other to even scratch the surface of the enigma that was Brian Kinney, and there was a lot that he still didn't know.  "He tells me … enough," Justin said carefully. "Nobody tells everything."

"I guess that's true.  He seems to rely on you a great deal."

"We rely on each other," Justin stated.



"You're a student here?" Robin asked changing the subject.



"Yes."

"I'd like to see some of your work later if that's all right."

"Sure, we can walk over to my studio space when we're done here."

"How old are you, Justin?"

Here it comes, he thought.  "I'm nineteen."

"Isn't that kind of young to be in such a serious relationship with the mayor?"

Justin sighed.  "I can imagine that a lot of people think so, but I don't.  I'm exactly where I want to be."

"Really?"

"You don't believe me?"

"It's not that I don't believe you.  It’s that you seem so sure. How much experience have you had with other … men?"

"What difference does that make?" Justin asked annoyed that she was taking this tack.



"It's just a question.  You seem so young to be making this kind of commitment."



"And if I was a girl getting married at nineteen, would you ask her how much experience she had with other men?"

Robin chuckled.  "I see your point.  But does that make you the little woman in this relationship?"

Justin looked thoughtful for a moment.  "I suppose it does if you want to look at it that way.  I'm younger, I do the cooking, and I'm mostly supported by Brian."



"Does that bother you?"

"Of course it does.  I want to earn my own way.  It's just that this is the way things are at the moment.  Brian says I can support him in his old age," Justin chuckled.



"And do you think you will?  Will you still be together when he's old and you're middle aged?"

"How the fuck can anyone answer that?  I hope so, but traditional marriages barely survive anymore, so who knows where we'll be at that point."

"You seem like a level headed young man," Robin said sincerely, her admiration for Justin growing.



"Thanks.  I used to tell Brian I was the most mature person he knew."

"What did he say to that?"

"He just snorted."



Robin and Justin shared a laugh both having experienced some of Brian's snorts.



"Could I ask you about Gus?"

"What about Gus?" Justin asked warily.



"Brian doesn't want me to see him or put anything about him in the article."



"It's not just Brian.  His mothers stayed out of the election.  They want their privacy and don't want Gus' life disrupted."



"So you're telling me to leave them alone?"

Justin nodded.  "Gus is a great little kid.  He's almost like my son too. He's happy and precocious and nobody wants to see that change."



Robin studied this young man.  "When I started this article it was going to be about Brian as a gay man fighting daily prejudice to do his job as mayor.  I've changed that idea. I don't see Brian fighting prejudice every day. He seems to have made converts of most of the people around him.  How does he do that?"

Justin looked her in the eye.  "He does it by being honest and caring deeply about people that are important to him.  He always does the best he can and now that includes the best for the city of Pittsburgh too."



"Did you write some of his campaign ads and speeches?" Robin laughed.  "You sure know how to sell him."


"I don't have to sell him.  He sells himself once you get to know him."

"Let's go look at some of your artwork," Robin said.  She had a lot to think about.



                                                             -----



When Justin arrived home Brian was in his jeans watching the news on TV.



"Hey," Justin said.



"Hey," Brian replied.  "How did you make out today?"

"You mean did I give Robin any incriminating information that she can use against you?"

"I meant how was your day, but that other stuff, yeah, that too," Brian grinned.



"I did my very best not to reveal too much."

"Justin, I didn’t think you were going to give anything away.  I trust you," Brian said seriously.



"I know, but it is a little nerve wracking dealing with Robin.  She jumps all over the place with her questions, and I'm never sure exactly what she's after."

"You too?  I thought it was just me."



Justin giggled and came over to sit down beside Brian.  "She asked about Gus," Justin said quietly.



"I told her he was off limits," Brian said with a frown.



"I told her the same thing.  I made it clear that it wasn't just you saying that, but his mothers wanted to keep him out of the spotlight too."

"Did she agree?"

"I think so."


"What else did she want to know?"

"She actually came back to my space to see my art.  I was kind of surprised that she was interested."

"Why?  You're very good."

"Thanks," Justin said with a smile.  "She said Frank had told her what a good artist I am."

"Frank should go into promotion," Brian chuckled.



"I hope I did all right with her, Brian.  I don't want to let you down."

"You never let me down.  I know you did your best."

"Thanks.  She says she's changing the focus of the article."

"She told me that too.  I'm not really sure what that means."

"I think it means she didn't find what she expected when she came here."

"I wonder if that's a good thing or a bad one," Brian mused.



"Can we order dinner?  I'm starved."

"Sure, and then let's go to Babylon," Brian suggested.



"Are you kidding?  We haven't been there since you got elected."

"I know.  We're a bit overdue, don't you think?"



"Brian, you're not supposed to go out on your own without Chuck or Phy.  Do you think this is wise?"

"I don't care whether it's wise or not.  I want to go … and I want to dance with you."

That earned him a big smile from Justin.  "Chinese?" he asked.



"Sure," Brian replied and Justin went to place the order.



                                                              -----



When they arrived at Babylon Justin looked around nervously.  He didn't know how they'd be received and he wasn't sure that somebody might not try to take another round out of Brian.



"It's fine, Justin.  We're among our own people," Brian said with a grin.



He pulled Justin onto the dance floor and they started moving to the music.  They had been dancing for awhile, foreheads touching, staring into each other's eyes, when they realized there was way too much room around them.  Usually the dance floor was packed and it had been when they started to dance.



They looked up to see most of the people present standing back watching them.  Brian frowned and glared at anyone who chose to notice.



"Let's hear it for the mayor!" someone yelled.



A loud round of applause and whistles broke out.  Justin could tell that Brian was embarrassed and he thought he might bolt out of there any second.  He was ready to follow him.



"I'm not the mayor tonight," Brian yelled to be heard.  "I'm wearing my fag clothes just like all of you."

There was another round of whistles and the dance floor filled up and they were once again surrounded by a sea of sweaty male bodies.



They danced for a long time enjoying the feel of being in familiar surroundings and moving together.  When they finally found their way to the bar, they noticed Emmett leaning against it sipping a cosmo.



"Hey, Emm," Justin said.



"Hi guys."

"Why didn't you join us out on the floor?"

"You two were enjoying yourselves.  I didn't want to intrude."

"You wouldn't be intruding," Justin told him.



"Yes he would," Brian stated.



Emmett chuckled.  Trust Brian to be blunt.  "You haven't been here in ages," Emmett told them.



"I was too busy getting beat up and run over," Brian said ruefully.



"Have they got that all settled now?"

"Not exactly," Brian replied, "but they're working on it.  I just got sick of being cooped up. Come dance with us."

"If you wouldn't mind, that would be nice," Emmett said slowly.  He finished his drink and they made their way out onto the floor.



Several dances later they returned to the bar.  

"That felt great," Emmett told them.  "I haven't felt much like dancing since Ted…"  He didn't finish that statement. They all knew Ted was in rehab.



"How is your business going?" Brian asked to change the subject.



"Vic and I are doing great.  We're booked up for several weeks," Emmett said proudly.



"That's great, Emm," Justin said.  I'm glad Vic is working with you."

"So am I.  I'd never be able to do it all without him."

"Justin, I think maybe we better get going.  I have an early meeting with Robin in the morning," Brian said.



"Who's Robin?" Emmett asked.



"Um…no one, no one that you'd know.  Bye, Emmett," Brian said and pulled Justin away from the bar.  They made their way out to the Corvette.



Once they were seated inside Justin had to ask, "Aren't you going to tell the gang about the Newsweek article?  They'll be so proud."

"Let's wait till I see the fucking article.  It may not be something to be proud of."

"Oh," Justin said in surprise.  He hadn't thought about that.



                                                               -----



When Newsweek containing the article about Brian hit the stands some time later, everyone was surprised.  On the cover was a picture of Brian with the Pittsburgh skyline behind him and the title "Winds of Change, Pittsburgh's First Gay Mayor Wins Election".

Brian had not expected to be on the cover and he wasn't too thrilled about it either.



"Fuck, Justin, now everyone is going to know.  More shit will hit the fan. I thought most of Pittsburgh wouldn't even notice the article, but it's my picture right on the fucking cover!"



"But it's a great article.  I can't believe that Robin had such nice things to say about you.  There's hardly anything negative in it at all."

"I know.  I saw the drafts, but they didn't tell me about the cover."

"I bet they thought it would be a nice surprise."

"Fuck!  Why do things always happen to me?"

"Because people like you when they get to know you."

Brian made a face.  "I have to get out of this popularity contest.  I'm losing my edge. Too many people like me … and on the flip side too many people hate me."

"You never did inspire the middle ground," Justin said with a chuckle.



Brian made another face at him.  "I can hardly wait to see what kind of demonstration awaits me tomorrow morning when I get to fucking work."


"Come to bed and I'll make it all better," Justin said in a husky voice.  Brian knew that he could too.



                                                              -----



Chuck pulled up in front of City Hall.  "They're baaaack!" he chanted.



"Oh, fuck!  I knew it," Brian replied.  

He sucked in a deep breath and mentally girded himself for the onslaught.  He waited for Chuck to open the door knowing that he might want to keep Chuck between himself and the angry mob as he made his way into the building.  There would be no chat with the protesters today.



Brian stepped out and the crowd erupted, not in boos or taunts, but in cheers and whistles.  He looked around stunned at this response.



"What's going on?" he asked Chuck.



"Fuck if I know!  Hey, look at that placard over there," Chuck said pointing to a large sign that said 'Thanks for putting Pittsburgh on the map'.



Brian glanced around.  There were some other signs basically saying the same thing and congratulating him on the article.  "Where are the protesters?" Brian asked somewhat confused.



"There are no protesters, Mr. Mayor.  We drove the two of them away," someone yelled at him.



"That's not very nice," Brian said with a smirk.  "I was getting to know some of them really well."



"We figured you deserved some positive feedback for bringing Pittsburgh to the attention of the whole nation," the same man called to him.



"And just when I was getting used to being screamed at and criticized."

"There's a lot of us who think you're doing a good job and we don't care whether you're gay or not."

"That's about the nicest thing you could tell me," Brian said genuinely.  That resulted in a round of applause. "Thank you all for doing this, but I better get to work."



As he turned to enter the building someone started a chorus of "Hip, hip, hooray!"  Brian smiled to himself and waved as he went through the door.



Cynthia was all smiles as she flashed a copy of Newsweek at him.  "You done good, boss," she said with a laugh. "It's a great article, although I hardly recognized this kind, gentle, caring mayor that they were describing."  She grinned with her tongue firmly planted in her cheek.



"Neither did I," Brian chuckled.



Brian went into his office.  Justin had asked him to call when he arrived at work.  Brian was sure he thought somebody would attack him as a result of the article.  He was going to be so surprised.



"Brian," Justin answered on the first ring.  "What happened?"

"I was welcomed with open arms," Brian laughed.



"What?  What do you mean?"

"There were a ton of people waiting when I got here and they had signs thanking me for putting Pittsburgh on the map and for doing a good job as mayor."  Brian couldn't stop the grin from spreading across his face.



"Oh, Brian," Justin half moaned.  Brian could hear the tears in his voice.



"Sunshine, what's wrong?  It was good."

"I know," Justin choked back a sob.  "I'm so happy and relieved. I was expecting the worst.  I braced myself for another attack and I didn't know how much more you could stand and I was so worried and then this and I just can't help it."  

Brian could hear him gulping through his tears.  "It's all right, Justin. Calm down, baby."



"I'm sorry.  I'm just so relieved."

"So am I."

"Let's go out tonight and celebrate.  Go to dinner somewhere nice?" Justin requested.



"That sounds good to me.  Like a date?" Brian said knowing that would cheer him up.



"Yeah, like a date," Justin replied and now Brian could hear the smile in his voice.



"I can hardly wait."

"Later."

"Later."

Things were definitely looking up.

Chapter 26 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 26 *

Brian burst into the loft.



"Justin!  Justin! Where the fuck are you?"


"I'm taking a piss.  Give me a minute," Justin called from the bathroom.



Brian paced the loft as he waited for Justin to come out.  When he finally appeared at the top of the steps, Brian lit into him.



"Do you know what I have to do now?  Those fucking idiots down at City Hall!  They have the most asinine traditions! And I'm just supposed to go along with it.  Whatever the fuck they say, I'm supposed to do it. No fucking way!" Brian completed his rant and finally took a breath.



"Calm down, Brian," Justin said in an even voice.  "Tell me what's wrong, slowly, before you blow a blood vessel."



"Hallowe'en!"



"Yes, it's this Friday.  So what's the problem?"

"They expect me to dress up in some pansy costume and parade around at City Hall for two hours.  Two fucking hours!"



"Why?"



"My point exactly – why?"

"No, I mean, what are you going to be doing while you're dressed up in your pansy costume?" Justin asked trying to stifle a chuckle.



"Handing out candies to a bunch of screaming kids whose parents have nothing better to do than drag them down to fucking City Hall on fucking Hallowe'en."

"So what's the problem?" Justin asked knowing perfectly well that this was Brian's idea of Hell – wearing a costume, hundreds of little kids, being on public display in his pansy costume.



"I'm going to kill you any second now!" Brian threatened.



Justin chuckled.  "I'm sorry. Look, let's think about this.  I'm sure we can come up with a good costume."

"I don't fucking want to come up with a good costume.  I'm not doing it."



"You have to.  You're the mayor."

"No, absolutely not," Brian said emphatically.



"Brian, I'll come with you, and we'll find you a costume that's not too … pansy."

Brian groaned.  He knew he wasn't going to get the sympathy he wanted from Justin.  He had hoped that he and Justin could just run away until this whole stupid holiday, or whatever the fuck Hallowe'en was, was over.  "I'm not doing it," Brian repeated stubbornly.



"I'll come with you and make it all better," Justin said in his pouty little voice that often got Brian to do things he didn't want to do.



"I have a better idea.  You go, and I'll stay home."



"Brian," Justin said softly coming over to the man and putting his arms around his waist.  "You are the mayor and you do have certain responsibilities."

"Fuck responsibilities!"



"It won't be so bad.  We'll find you a great costume."

"Yeah, like what?"

"Like Robin Hood maybe," Justin suggested.



"Didn't he wear tights?  I'm not wearing tights."



"You'd look great in tights."

"No tights," Brian insisted stubbornly.  "Although … that ass of yours in tights could be quite a treat."

"It's you that needs the costume," Justin said reasonably, glad that he now had Brian considering costumes instead of just refusing to participate.



"But you're coming with me?"

"Yes," Justin said with a smile.  More progress, now Brian was thinking about going.  "Let's think about some potential costumes."



Brian groaned.  He knew he was going to have to do this, even though he hated the idea.  "I have never worn tights and I am not about to start now."



"I suppose you could go as Elizabeth the first.  She was pretty well covered up."



"Are you saying I'm an old queen?"



"Hm, then maybe Elizabeth the second?"



"Even older queen," Brain chuckled.



Justin was glad to see his sense of humor returning.  "How about Bluebeard the Pirate and I could be one of your Merry Men?"



"He didn't have merry men and I don't want to frighten the children," Brian said with only a touch of sarcasm.



"How about Captain Ahab?"

"And what would you be, the whale?"



"Ew, no."



"Get off the nautical theme."

"What about Julius Caesar and I could be Marc Antony?"

"Don't you think the politicos might see something sinister in their mayor dressing like a dictator?"

"Well, you are a dictator.  We all know that."

"But it's our little secret."



"You think?" Justin asked with a chuckle.  "There has to be something interesting you could be.  Hey, how about The Cat In The Hat?"

"No fucking way I'm being a Dr. Seuss character!"



"But the kids would love it."

"NO!"

"Okay, okay!  Maybe George Washington?"

"I'm not wearing wooden teeth."

Justin giggled.  "Work with me here.  I'm doing my best."



"Well, your best is pretty pathetic."

"Fine, then come up with something yourself."  Justin turned to go to his desk and do some work.  He felt Brian come up behind him and put his arms around him.



"I appreciate your help, Justin.  I just fucking hate this whole idea."



"What if you were … say … Daniel Boone?  You could wear leathers."



"And a coonskin hat?  I don't think so."

"God, you're picky."

"I know, but I can't help it."



"We could go as Rage and JT."

"Tights, Justin, I said no tights.  Besides nobody knows who they are. At least none of the people who will be at City Hall."

"Hm, I suppose you're right.  How about Marie Antoinette and Louis the Sixteenth?"



"Same problem as Julius Caesar.  Besides which of us would be Marie?"

"I thought you …"



"Don't go there."

Justin giggled.  "Hey, I think I have it."

                                                              -----



The night of the Hallowe'en do at City Hall Brian and Justin arrived precisely at six as they had been instructed.  They were to hand out treats until eight o'clock, and then there was some sort of charity dance that they were expected to put in an appearance at.  Then they were free.



Geoffrey met them as they came in and showed them where to stand.  Children and their parents were already lined up waiting to receive their Hallowe'en treats from the mayor.



"No costume, Geoffrey?" Brian asked.



"I don't do costumes," Geoffrey said snottily.



"You could have been the third musketeer, the portly one," Brian teased.  He and Justin had finally decided to be two musketeers, wearing leather pants and vest, big hats with a feather and a plastic sword.  They both looked very dashing.



"I would be no such thing," Geoffrey said in a huff.  "And I'm not portly."



"Of course not, how silly of me to suggest it," Brian said, his tongue firmly in his cheek.



"Here are the bags to give to each child," Geoffrey said showing Brian the table covered with small gift bags.



"What's in them?" Brian asked.



"A pad and pencil, some stickers, crayons and a few candies."

"Very politically correct," Brian observed.  "Let's get this over with. Send in the clowns."



The first little boy in line was dressed as a clown and he moved forward to receive his bag from the mayor.  His parents shook Brian and Justin's hands, saying they were very pleased with the way Brian was handling his duties as mayor.  Brian was pleased to hear that.



Most people just took their bag of goodies and left without a word.  Even 'thank yous' were somewhat scarce. Brian wondered just where society was heading with the lack of appreciation shown by most people.



After they had been handing out bags for quite awhile, Brian heard someone yelling, "Daddy!  Daddy!"



He looked up to see Gus in the line of waiting people.  He was struggling to escape from Lindsay's grasp. Brian nodded to Lindsay and she released the little boy.  He ran full steam towards his father crashing into his legs and hugging them.



"Hey, Sonny Boy," Brian said picking him up.  "We match." They each looked at what the other was wearing.  Gus was dressed like a miniature version of his father. He had a little hat with a feather and leather pants and a toy sword.  "You even have a sword just like daddy."


"Hey, Gus," Justin said and the little boy reached to be taken by Justin for a kiss and a hug.



"Sword," Gus said pulling his little plastic sword out of his belt.



"Want to duel?" Brian asked drawing his own sword.



Justin set Gus down and he waved his sword at his father.



"En garde," Brian said and touched his sword to Gus'



They pretended to duel with Brian doing most of the work so that their swords connected every once in a while.  Finally Gus rushed at his father and Brian let him stab him with his sword, must too close to the groin to suit Justin.  Brian crumbled to the floor and lay still. Gus walked up to his head and looked at Brian whose eyes were closed.



"Daddy?" Gus said with some concern.



"You win, Sonny Boy," Brian said sitting up.  There was a round of applause from the people in the line.



Gus giggled and hugged his father.  Brian stood up and picked up his son.  He saw Lindsay waiting patiently and walked over to her.



"How did you manage to dress him up like Justin and me?" Brian asked.



"I wanted to bring him down to surprise you after I read about the mayor's treats in the newspaper.  I called Justin to see what you were wearing. I thought it would be cute."



"You're very cute, aren't you, Gus?"

Gus nodded and looked at the bags on the table.  "Candy?"



Brian got a bag and handed it to the little boy.



"I better get him out of your hair," Lindsay said.



"Linds, thanks for bringing him down.  That was a nice surprise."



"No problem.  Kiss daddy goodbye, Gus."

Gus kissed his father and ran over to Melanie who had stayed off to the side.  Gus wanted to show her what he had got. Melanie waved and the three of them left.



The costumed children kept flowing through after that.  Justin could tell by the way Brian handed or rather threw the gift bags at them that his patience was just about at its end.  The end of the line was visible and Justin prayed they would reach it before Brian blew. Finally the last toddler and her parents walked away.  Brian let out a long sigh.



"You made it," Justin said rubbing his neck.



"Barely.  For the last half hour I was wishing that my sword was real so I could fall on it and put myself out my misery."

"You did good, Mr. Mayor.  I'll give you your reward later," Justin said with a twinkle in his eye.



Brian groaned.  "First we have to go to this fucking charity thing."



"Just for an hour," Justin stated.



"That's fucking too long."

"Brian, behave yourself."

"Yes, D'Artagnan, I will follow your lead."

"That'll be the day!"



Brian swatted his butt and they went out to find Chuck and the limo.



                                                               -----



Two hours later they were on their way home from the charity masquerade ball.  They had shaken so many hands and smiled until their faces felt like they were going to crack.  They had danced a couple of times but couldn't wait to get out of there.



Justin leaned against Brian as they rode in the back of the limousine.  "Brian," Justin said, "could we go to Babylon in our costumes?"



"What the fuck for?"

"I want to show off.  We look great, and everybody will be so jealous that I have the handsome musketeer all to myself."



"You just want them to see that you got me into this fucking costume when nobody else could for all those years."



"That too," Justin said with a giggle.



"Brat!"



"So can we go?"  Justin batted his eyes at Brian.



Brian leaned in and kissed that mouth that was always so desirable to him.  He had stopped wanting any other tricks over the last few months. Nobody measured up to Justin.  He wouldn't trade what he had with this young man for anything.



"Okay, but just for a few minutes."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," Justin gushed leaning back so Brian could kiss him more easily.  They were starting to get all hot and bothered so Justin pulled away or they would never get to Babylon.   He told Chuck to take them to the club.



They were admitted to the club immediately even though there was a line-up stretching down the block.  After all Justin was a King of Babylon and Brian was the mayor. Together they were one hot couple especially in their musketeer outfits.



They headed to the dance floor and managed to get one dance in before Michael found them.  He was dressed as Captain Astro and Justin almost burst out laughing as he looked at the fake plastic muscles covering Michael's scrawny body.



Brian gave him a kiss and commented, "I might have known."

"What else would I be?"



"The mind can't conceive," Brian replied.



"You two look great!" Michael grinned.  "Come have a drink with us."

Michael herded them over to the bar where they found Ben dressed as a Buddhist monk and Emmett as what could only be described as some demented rock star.



"Who are you, Emm?" Justin asked as he gave the man a kiss.



"Don't you recognize me?" Emmett asked.



Brian and Justin looked him up and down.  He had a blonde wig, huge earrings, a cutoff fuchsia top and his cowboy leather pants with no bum.  Glitter covered his face and every other exposed part of his body and there was quite a bit of bare skin visible.



"Miss Piggy?" Brian asked.



"Oh, that was cruel, even for you, Brian." Emmett replied swatting the mayor on the arm.



Brian grinned that silly grin of his, happy to have made Emmett wince as usual.



"Who are you?" Justin asked again.



"I'm the virgin slut, Britney Spears," Emmett said proudly.



Brian spit out some of his drink as he laughed at loud.  "Only you, Emmett, only you. Has anybody seen Ted these days?" Brian asked.



"He was here a while ago with Blake," Emmett answered.  "He seems to be doing okay."

"I'm glad to hear that," Brian said.



"Why, do you miss tormenting him?" Michael asked.



"I just want him to be okay, Michael," Brian replied.



"Let's dance," Justin said and pulled Brian out onto the dance floor.



Justin could feel people's eyes on them, but it wasn't half as much fun as he had thought it would be.  After the dance he told Brian that he was ready to go home. They left quickly before anyone could stop them.



In the car Justin cuddled into Brian's arms.  Brian rested his chin on Justin's head.



"I've had it for today," Brian groaned.



"Yeah, time for bed," Justin chuckled.



"That's the best idea you've had since these costumes."



"And after all the trouble I had getting you into it, now I can't wait to get you out of it," Justin said licking his lips.



                                                              -----



The morning newspaper revealed a picture of Brian and Gus dueling at City Hall.  It was captioned with "The Next Generation of Politicians" and an article questioning why the mayor and his son couldn't have found American icons to dress up as.



"I can't win no matter what I do," Brian said.



"Maybe you should forget about trying," Justin said.  "Dress up as Julius Caesar and overthrow the government.  That's the least they deserve."


Chapter 27 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 27 *

"Brian," Justin began.  He was seated at his desk in the loft and Brian was working at his computer.



"What?" Brian asked.



"I just remembered that Deb asked me to talk to you about Thanksgiving."

Brian groaned audibly.  "What does she want?"


"The usual.  She wants everybody to be together for dinner on Thanksgiving at her place."



There was no response.



"Brian?"



"Yeah."

"So are you going to be there?"

"I don't know."

"Why?  Deb's not going to be happy."

"I have some other … responsibilities," Brian said slowly.



"Like what?"


"Like mayor things," Brian said in a noncommittal fashion.



"Could you be a little vaguer?  I almost got a clue from that last statement."

Brian groaned again.  "I have to do something as the mayor."



"On Thanksgiving?" Justin asked.  "Don't you get that day off like everybody else?"


"Apparently not."


"So what are you going to be doing?" Justin asked curious about Brian's plans.



There was no answer.  Justin got up from his desk and walked over to Brian who was staring at the ceiling of the loft.



"What's going on?" Justin asked.



"I'm dishing up lunch at a fucking soup kitchen, okay?"

"You are?" Justin asked truly surprised that this was how Brian would be spending Thanksgiving.



"It's another fucking tradition for the mayor to go do these kinds of things," Brian snarked but without much conviction.



Justin stared at him.  "I'll come help you," he offered.



"You…you don't have to," Brian replied.



"I think it's a great way to show thanks that we aren't the ones in the line receiving the food," Justin said thoughtfully.



"Yeah," Brian said with a frown.  "A year ago about now I had been fired and you were suspended.  It could have been us in that line."



"So we should be thankful and show it," Justin stated.  "What should I tell Deb?"



"Tell her that I have some official duties and that I'll try to finish them and make it to her place later in the afternoon."



"She'll want to know what you're doing," Justin stated practically.  "Should I tell her where you'll be?"



"Tell her whatever you like," Brian said sarcastically.



"What's wrong?  Don't you want anyone to know what you're doing?"

"It's not that," Brian said shaking his head.  "You know I don't want to be dishing out food to homeless people, but I'll do it."

"Then what is it?"

"I just don't see why in the United States of fucking America it's necessary in the first place.  We're the richest country in the goddam world and yet we have thousands, probably millions of people, who have to rely on food banks and soup kitchens to survive.  It doesn't make any sense."

Justin came up behind Brian and put his arms across Brian's shoulders and around his neck.  "You really care, don't you?"



Brian made a face at him.  "I never thought I would. I'm scheduled to appear at five places to dish up a meal or two, like that's going to do any good."

"Then why do it?" Justin asked hoping to get to the bottom of what was really bothering Brian.



"It will be on the fucking news and give some much needed publicity to the places that collect food or run a food bank."



"That's a good thing then," Justin said still not sure what was bothering Brian.



"Yeah," Brian scoffed, "feed them now, and then let them go back to starving for the rest of the year."

"You want to do more," Justin said the light finally dawning.



Brian nodded.  "It's not just a holiday problem; it's an every day problem."

"Have I told you lately that I love you?" Justin asked kissing the top of Brian's head.



"Once or twice."


"Come to bed and I'll show you how much."

Brian didn't have to be persuaded to follow his lover to their bed.  He was rewarded by the most amazing blowjob Justin had ever given him.



"That was fucking hot!" he gasped.



"You deserved it."

"Why?  I haven't done anything."

"You've become a compassionate, caring mayor."

Brian stared at him.  "Don't tell anybody. I'll never live it down."

"It's all right to care about people," Justin told him.



"Caring about them and being able to do something to help them are not the same thing."

"What else can you do?"



"That's just it, I don't know," Brian said with a grimace.  "There should be something. I am the mayor."

Justin stifled a giggle.  Brian had taken to saying that line like he should be able to fix everything with a wave of his hand.  It frustrated him no end when he couldn't do that. He would have made a natural dictator.



"What are you smiling at?" Brian asked.



"I was just thinking that you would make a great dictator.  You could fix everything with a snap of your fingers."



"Haven't you heard that absolute power corrupts absolutely?"



"You're already corrupt, so you'd be immune," Justin teased.



"I see that my reputation precedes me," Brian chuckled.



"There must be some things you could do to improve the plight of these people," Justin said thoughtfully.



"I've been wracking my brain, but other than getting them each a job, I don't know what to do."



"What if we could double the amount of food taken in over Thanksgiving?" Justin asked.



"That would help, but how do we do that?"

"You're the ad exec," Justin said simply.  "How would you sell the giving thing if the food banks were your client?"

Brian stared at Justin.  He hadn't thought about the problem from that point of view.  "Most people would like to help," he said thoughtfully.



"So why don't they?" Justin asked.



"Well, some can't.  They don't have the resources to give much or anything.  Some do, so they will probably continue to do that. And then there's the rest who don't give anything."  Brian paused and Justin waited. He could see the old ad exec mentality running over the problem. "It's not easy enough or obvious enough.  We need to make them see the problem, grab at their heart strings," Brian said getting that look on his face that said he was coming up with an idea.



Justin waited.  He knew not to interrupt Brian's thought processes when he was in major creative mode.  After a few minutes Brian looked at Justin and smiled.



"Remember the movie "Oliver" where the little boy says to the head of the orphanage, "Please, may I have some more" and holds up his empty bowl.  We could use that as the campaign slogan. We need to find a cute kid to pose for the picture, and then plaster it all over the place."



"Once the kid's made the point how will you make it easy for people to donate?" Justin asked reasonably.



"We need a way to collect the food efficiently once the people have gotten the message.  Most people won't go out of their way to deliver food to collection points."



"What if we had bags that had the picture on them?" Justin asked as the thought struck him.  "People could fill those up."

"But then how do we collect them, and for that matter distribute the bags?"

"Grocery stores?" Justin asked.



"They already have bins for food and they don't collect all that much.  We need something new."



"Let's look on the internet and see what other cities do."

"Good idea, Sunshine.  You search on your computer and I'll see what I can find on mine."


They both set to work looking at food bank sites in various cities and trying to come up with some effective ways of collecting food.



After about a half hour Justin called, "Have you found anything interesting?"



"Yeah, a few things.  How about you?"



"Yeah, let's compare notes."



Justin moved over to Brian's desk.  "I found this site for Portland, Oregon and they have the mailmen deliver the bags and then mail trucks pick it up four times a year.  People just set it outside their doors and the mailmen radio the truck where on their route to pick up the goods."



"That's a great idea.  They must cover the majority of the population by doing that.  I wonder if we can get the mailmen to agree. I'll have to get Geoffrey to contact the right people and then I'll go speak to them."



"It would be great if you could get them involved," Justin said.



"Maybe the mailmen could make it their major charity for the year," Brian said already thinking about how he was going to sell the idea to them.



"Hey, you better call them postal workers or you'll alienate all the women who deliver the mail."



"Thanks for the tip, Sunshine," Brian said giving him a kiss on the cheek.  "And thanks for finding that site."

"What did you find?"

"Nothing better than that idea for collecting food, but I found something else."


"What?"



"New York City…" Brian began.



"Trust you to be looking at the Big Apple," Justin chuckled.



"Well, they are the best and I found something good.  They have this organization called City Harvest that collects leftover food from restaurants every night and distributes it to soup kitchen type places."

"Wow, and the restaurants don't mind."

"Apparently the restaurants like the idea a lot.  Food that would otherwise be thrown out goes to people who really need a meal."

"And those people get to eat gourmet," Justin said his eyes large.



"Some of them do, but diners and mom and pop restaurants also participate, so there is a whole gamut of types of food."



"Do you think you could get the restaurants in Pittsburgh to participate?"



"I'm sure as fuck going to try.  And I'll start with my favorite Thai place.  No one should be denied their fabulous food."

"Absolutely," Justin said with a grin.



"After all they owe me," Brian said.



"How do you figure?"

"I've supported them for many years … single-handedly … and now meals for two."

Justin grinned from ear to ear.  He loved working with Brian like this and being acknowledged in his life.  Together they could do anything.



"What?" Brian asked.



Justin wiped the smile from his face and quickly said, "Nothing."

"I think that was something," Brian persisted.  He wondered what he had done this time to get that look of pure joy on Justin's face.  Sometimes he did it on purpose but most of the time he never knew what caused it. This time he wanted to know.



"I was just thinking that together we can accomplish anything," Justin replied giving Brian the partial truth.  He never liked to mention the references to them as a couple, because all too often Brian would tense up and not say anything else.



Brian grabbed Justin's arm and pulled the boy around from behind him to sit in his lap.  His mouth captured Justin's and the boy opened for him so readily, so guilelessly. He always knew that Justin wanted him.  The young man never left him guessing for a minute. He almost wished he could be that open in return, but there was always something stopping him, something undefined and deep within him.



He pushed those thoughts away and concentrated on kissing the warm, wet mouth.  His hand slid down Justin's chest and continuing south squeezed Justin's hardening cock feeling the growing need he was creating there.



"We've worked enough for tonight.  Come to bed," he said rising and wrapping his arm around Justin's shoulder.



They flipped off the lights and made their way to the bed.  Quietly they undressed each other kissing all the while. Tenderly Brian laid his boy down on their bed and began kissing him all over.  Finally his mouth found the straining cock and Brian relished Justin's gasp as his mouth engulfed it.



With practised expertise Brian drew his lover to the edge of orgasm.  Justin clung to Brian's hair as he panted and writhed beneath him. One strategic swoop of Brian's tongue and Justin screamed his release.



"Feel good?" Brian asked as he settled down beside the still gasping blond.



"Fuck yes!"



Brian chuckled.  "Glad you liked it."

"Your tongue should be registered as a lethal weapon," Justin managed to get out between gulps of air.



"Why?  You're not dead," Brian said with his tongue in cheek.



"It was close," Justin said rolling towards Brian.



"Shall I return the favor?"

"In a minute, Sunshine," Brian said.



"What are we waiting for?"

"I was just thinking about where we might be right now if I hadn't decided to run for mayor."



"The mind boggles at the possibilities," Justin said with a grin.



"Besides being in the line at the soup kitchen," Brian said with a grimace," I could be running my own ad agency and not worrying about any of life's problems."



"Or you could be in advertising in a whole other city and I'd be here all by myself."

"Never!"



"You wouldn't leave me?" Justin asked hoping Brian would give him some more reassurance.  Their relationship always seemed so tenuous.



"If I have to be in that line at the soup kitchen, I want you right there beside me."

"Thanks so much!  I think that's the most romantic thing you've ever said to me."



"No!  Not really?" Brian asked frowning.



"Yep."

"Shit!  I really do suck at this romance crap."

"If you stopped calling it crap, maybe it wouldn't be so hard."

"You know I think romance and love are bullshit," Brian protested.



"Then why am I here, and why do you want me in that soup line with you?"

"Fuck if I know!"



"Well I do."

"Yeah?  Mr. 1500 SAT's!  What's the reason?"

"You love me, even though you don't think you know what love is and that it's a waste of time and energy and that it's all bullshit."



"What makes you so sure?"



"I've always told you that I'm on to you."

"I guess maybe you are," Brian said looking into those blue eyes.



"So get ready, old man, I'm going to rock your socks!"



With that Justin pounced and began to give Brian his version of the hottest blowjob of the current century, and maybe the last as well.


Chapter 28 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 28 *

Brian straightened his tie and pushed open the door.  The executive officers of the local postal workers union sat around the table waiting for him to speak to them.  Geoffrey carried in the boards that he would be using for his presentation and set them on the easel that was provided.



The faces looked expectantly at Brian.  He wanted this to work. He needed their help if his idea was going to come to fruition.



Brian cleared his throat.  "Ladies and gentlemen," he began, "I'm pleased that you agreed to hear me out today.  I have an exciting proposal for your organization."

"Get to the point," a burly man who seemed to wear a perpetual frown spat at him.  "We don't have time for your flowery words."



Something in the way the man said 'flowery' made Brian's skin crawl.  The word homophobe flashed across his brain. Maybe this wasn't going to be as easy as he had thought.



"I've never been one to waste time," Brian said pointedly.  "So here's my proposal."

Brian spent the next ten minutes outlining the problem and what he wanted to do about it.  He had brought the picture of the little waif that would be on the food collection bags. It stood on an easel behind him as he finished up his spiel.



There was some applause from those in the room.  Brian let out a breath as he heard it. At least some of them had been impressed.  He risked a glance at the man who had told him to get to the point. He scowled back.  Brian had known that he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning him over.



"That was very interesting," one of the women said.  "I'm Marjorie Blackburn, head of the local postal workers.



"Thank you, Ms. Blackburn," Brian replied giving her the full benefit of his many charms.  "I hope I can count on your workers to aid me in this endeavor."

"Don't you mean 'AIDS'?" Brian heard mumbled from beside him.  He could tell that several other people had heard the comment too.



"Do you have a problem with me being gay?" Brian asked turning on the glowering man who had made the previous comments.  "Mr. …?"



"Brown," the man replied.  "I'm not much in favor of your sort or anything that you propose."



"Is that right?  And just what has my 'sort' got to do with any of this?" Brian asked feeling his temper rise.



"Let's just say that I didn't vote for you, and I won't be voting for this 'fabulous' idea either."



The scorn in his voice was evident.  Brian had almost gotten used to being treated like any other mayor, like any other person.  Somewhere along the line he had managed to push all the protests and hatred out of his mind.  Now here it was all manifested once again in this surly prick.


"I'm not going to try to reason with you," Brian said in a voice much calmer than he was really feeling.  "I've always found it impossible to reason with bigots."

"Shut the fuck up, Gay Boy," Brown spat out.



"That's enough, Lester," Marjorie stated firmly.  "Sit down and be reasonable or leave!"


"I'll leave!  I don't want to be in the same room with 'that' any longer."  Lester stomped out of the room, slamming the door behind him.



"I'm very sorry, Mr. Kinney," Marjorie apologized.  "Lester doesn't speak for the rest of us."

Brian looked around the room, his jaw clenched.  Those still there nodded their agreement with Marjorie's statement.  Brian didn't know what to say. He wanted to tell them all to fuck off, but he still needed their help to get his plan rolling.



"I certainly hope Lester doesn't speak for you," Brian said pointedly, trying to keep the sarcasm out of his voice.  "Perhaps you could tell me if I'm wasting my time here. I had hoped we would be on the same wavelength about the need for this project."

"I think we are on the same wavelength," Marjorie said looking at the others.  There was general agreement. "Let's put this to a vote."

"What about the disgruntled one?" Brian asked nodding towards the door through which Lester had disappeared.



"He's only one vote.  Let's see what everyone else thinks."

The vote was held and was unanimous with the exception of the now departed Lester.



"So what happens now?" Brian asked.



"We present this to our general meeting which is in two weeks.  They get to vote on it."

"Do you think it will pass?" Brian asked.



"I'm going to push for that.  Most of our members are a lot more liberal than Lester.  I'm sure they'll want to help."

Brian shook her hand and turned to Geoffrey.  He signaled the man to gather up their boards and get ready to leave.



"If you want me to speak at your meeting, I'd be happy to do that," Brian offered.



"It's not allowed.  No outsiders may attend or speak.  I'll present your ideas as fairly as I can," Marjorie stated.



"Thanks.  If you want to use any of the promotional materials I just showed you, let me know."

Brian and Geoffrey made their way out to the limousine.  They climbed in after stuffing their props in the trunk. Brian sank into the leather seat and sighed.



"That man was a real asshole," Geoffrey stated not looking at Brian.



Brian had closed his eyes trying to block out the unpleasantness and fight off an impending headache.  His eyes flew open at Geoffrey's words. "Language, Geoffrey, language," Brian said softly.



"I could call him a lot worse.  Fucking bigot!"



Brian chuckled in spite of himself.  "Why, Geoffrey, I think you've been hanging around some bad influences."

"You mean you?" Geoffrey replied with that supercilious tone of voice that used to make Brian want to smack him.



Brian laughed out loud.  "You're probably right. I always have been a bad influence."

"You've done more for this city in one year than almost any other mayor I can remember," Geoffrey said still staring straight ahead.



Brian stared at the side of his face.  "Thank you, Geoffrey. That … means … a lot to me."



"I mean it," Geoffrey said refusing to make eye contact with Brian.



Brian decided he better let it go.  "Thanks for arranging that meeting with the postal workers.  What's your read on their reaction?" Brian asked.



Now that they were back to business Geoffrey turned to look at Brian.  "I think other than that one asshole they were very favorable to the idea.  I hope it will pass at their meeting."

"It could make a big difference for a lot of people if it does."



"I've been in touch with several restaurants about the 'City Harvest' idea," Geoffrey said.



"And?"



"The response has been very good.  Nobody has outright refused. Of course, some were more enthusiastic than others."



"What about the Pink Orchid?" Brian had to ask.



"You mean your Thai restaurant?" Geoffrey said with a smirk.  "They said they could refuse you nothing. They were going to contact all the other Thai restaurants in the city.  They haven't got back to me yet with the results."

Brian noted the smirk.  He wondered what the Pink Orchid might have said about him.



                                                              -----



Two weeks later Geoffrey charged into Brian's office.



"The postal workers endorsed the food collection proposal," Geoffrey said proudly.  "I just got off the phone with Marjorie Blackburn."



"Fantastic!" Brian responded.



"So we can begin getting the bags printed up.  We should make some TV spots to tell people that this is going to happen."



"You're right.  Do we have budget for that?"

"I can make sure that we do."

"Go for it, Geoffrey.  I'll work up some kind of idea for the promo shots."

"I think you should be on the TV telling people about your idea," Geoffrey stated.  He stressed the word 'your'.



Brian smiled in spite of himself.  "Thanks for the vote of confidence, but maybe someone else would make a better spokesperson."



"You're the mayor," Geoffrey stated simply.



"Yes, I am," Brian said with his tongue in his cheek.



"So you should do it," Geoffrey told him.



Brian was curious.  "Why do you think I should do it?"

Geoffrey hesitated for a moment.  "You're worried that you being gay is going to turn some people off, aren't you?"



"Nobody ever said you were dumb, Geoffrey.  I think maybe a celebrity or … something would appeal to a wider audience."

"I think you're wrong … in my opinion," Geoffrey replied.



"Why?"

"This was your idea.  Your commitment to it will be evident."



"But what about turning people off … like Lester?" Brian asked remembering his distasteful encounter with the postal worker.



"Do you really think that people like Lester would participate, would want to help … anyone, whether you're involved or not?"

"Hm, I suppose you're right."

"I know I am."

Brian snorted.  Geoffrey was always so sure of himself.  "Can't argue with your logic. I'll do the spot."

"I'll contact the TV stations and see what kind of deal I can work out," Geoffrey said.



"You do deals?"

"Of course!  The world revolves around deals."

"No?" Brian responded in mock disbelief.



"Are you making fun of me?" Geoffrey asked.



"I believe it's called teasing," Brian replied with his tongue in cheek.



"Oh."

Brian had to smile.  He wondered if anybody had ever teased Geoffrey.  It didn't seem likely that they had. He would have liked to ask him, but he was well aware that their relationship wasn't at that level yet.  He shuddered inwardly at the word he had used to describe their … relationship. Fuck!



"I'll get right on this," Geoffrey was saying.  "There isn't much time if we are going to get this done in time for a pre-Thanksgiving blitz."



"Right," Brian said as Geoffrey bustled out of his office.



Brian stared after the man.  He had changed so much from the first time Brian had met him.  They would never be friends, but Brian had learned to respect the man and he felt that Geoffrey had learned to respect him too.  The world really was a strange place.



With a sigh Brian sat down and began mulling over possible ideas for the TV spot that they were going to do.



                                                              -----



Brian finished up his lines and the director called, "Cut!"



"Was that all right?" Brian asked.



"That was fabulous," Ryan Fielding, the director replied.



Brian sucked in his lips.  "I'll settle for effective, if it's all the same to you."

"It will be very effective," Ryan promised.



"It has to be."

"How about grabbing some lunch with me?" Ryan asked a suggestive smile on his face.



"Sure," Brian replied, "But I need this spot to be on television in three days.  Shouldn't you be working on it instead?"

"We all have to eat," Ryan said licking his lips in an unmistakably sexual way.



Brian had used Ryan for some TV commercials in the past.  He knew the man had always been attracted to him, and there was a time when he had seriously considered taking advantage of that fact.  In fact watching Ryan's tongue was having the desired effect on Brian's dick. He shifted uncomfortably, weighing the possibilities.



He could grab the man by his shirt, drag him into the office and fuck the shit out of him.  His dick was all in favor of that. He felt it grow uncomfortably in his pants. He could thank the man for his talent and promise something for later.  That made no sense at all. He knew he had to maintain his professional demeanor and get the fuck out of there. Besides this guy wasn't Justin.



A smile spread across Brian's face.  Ryan took that to mean that his offer had been accepted and stepped closer.  Brian placed a hand on the man's chest and gently pushed him away. A look of confusion crossed Ryan's face.



"I'm the mayor," Brian said thinking of Justin's crack about him making a good dictator.  "I have a different lifestyle now." Brian felt the words stick in his throat. He hated admitting that, but it was true.  His life was very different now, had been for the last year. "I have to remember that. I hope you will do a good job with the promo."

"Sure," Ryan replied as he watched Brian walk out the door.



                                                              -----



Justin felt his phone vibrating.  He was in a boring lecture at PIFA.  He quickly stood and exited the auditorium.  He pulled out his phone and looked at the display.  He pushed talk.



"Hey," he said the grin spreading across his face and into his voice.



"Hey," Brian replied.  "Did I interrupt something?"

"Only another boring lecture."

"I'm paying good money for those boring lectures.  You're supposed to be getting a superior education there."

Justin grinned.  He should be angry that Brian had reminded him he was still paying for his education, but he could tell the man was merely teasing him.  He knew that tone to his voice. It had taken him a long time to learn it. "I'm ready for a break. How about you?" Justin asked.

"Phone sex would be lovely, but I had something more … intimate in mind."

"Intimate?"



"Yep."

"Where the fuck are you?"

"Right outside in the parking lot."

"In the limo?"

"Yes."

"Waiting for someone?" Justin teased.



"Maybe.  Know anyone who might be interested?"



"Maybe," Justin grinned.  All the while he was making his way down the stairs towards the front entrance to the building.



"I had a premonition that a certain blond twink might need some TLC," Brian said his voice husky with lust.



Justin recognized that tone immediately.  He sped up as he neared the front doors. He pushed them open and looked around for the limo.  He saw it across the parking lot and ran towards it. The back door opened as Justin approached and he jumped in.  The car pulled away immediately.



Justin found himself locked in Brian's arms, his mouth engulfed in a tempestuous kiss.



"Somebody's missed me," Justin gasped as Brian finally let him up for air.



"Maybe."



Brian's hands were pulling at his clothes.  His pants were down over his hips and his shirt and jacket had already disappeared.  Justin felt Brian cup his balls and he took in a sharp breath at the sensation. He squirmed around so he could reach the zipper on Brian's pants and tugged it down.  The fully erect cock sprang free and Justin's hand pumped it a couple of times.



"Easy," Brian gasped.



"Now," Justin demanded.



Brian whipped out the lube and a condom.  He slid the condom over his dick and flipped Justin onto all fours on the seat of the limo.  His lubed fingers worked into Justin's pucker. The boy moaned as the sensations coursed through his body.  He felt Brian position his cock and then breach the tight outer ring of his hole.



"Brian," he moaned.  "Brian, Brian."

Brian thrust forward and was halfway in.  He paused for a moment waiting for Justin to breathe.  Another thrust and he was home, where he had wanted to be ever since his encounter with Ryan.  He thrust deeply and forcefully and heard Justin groan. He rammed harder and felt Justin thrust back.  That was what he loved about this blond, his blond. He always wanted more and Brian was always ready to give it to him.



They pounded against each other, each knowing the ways to pleasure the other.  The ride was hard and deep and satisfying. As their orgasms neared Brian reached for Justin's cock and pumped.  He felt the boy shudder and knew he was close. A few more thrusts and they were both shooting. They dropped onto the soft leather of the limo and lay panting cradled together on the narrow seat.



"Jesus, Brian, that was intense," Justin said when he could once more breathe.



"Yeah."

"To what do I owe the pleasure of your unexpected arrival?" Justin asked starting to clean himself up.



"I finished the promo for the food collection and I had this sudden urge for a little dessert of my own."

"Really?"



"Yes.  Did you enjoy your little break from academia?"

"You can come give me a break like that anytime."

"Can I now?  I don't want you neglecting your studies just for any old thing."



"You're not any old thing," Justin giggled.



Brian arched his eyebrows at him.  "We can go again or I could take you back," Brian said.



"I thought I'd like a little more dessert first," Justin said as his mouth engulfed Brian's cock.


Chapter 29 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 29 *

"Here's your itinerary for tomorrow," Cynthia said as she came into Brian's office.  "You start at noon at the Salvation Army soup kitchen on Monroe."

"Great," Brian said giving her one of his goofy grins complete with that little wag of the head.



Cynthia chuckled.  "Can I come?" she asked.



"What the fuck for?"

"I just can't picture what you're going to look like in your Armani suit dishing up Thanksgiving dinner for homeless people."



"I'm wearing Prada," he retorted, "and why is it so fucking hard to picture."

"I don't know … because you can't stand anyone who will be wearing what those people will be wearing."

"I'll be sure to use lots of cologne."

Cynthia's smile faded.  "I think it's great that you're doing this," she said sincerely.



He stared back at her and knew he didn't want to get into that with her.  He didn't want her appreciation. He knew, and she knew, that if he really had a choice he would never do this in a million years.  "So, what are you going to be doing on your long weekend?"



"Dinner with my parents and my brother and his screaming kids."

"Sounds like a blast."



"Oh. And the best part is his fucking wife who keeps trying to fix me up with one of her pathetic friends."

"Don't you want a sweet little family all your own?" Brian asked sarcastically.



"Not if it means the kind of supposedly loving and totally bogus relationships I see with my parents and my brother and most of the other fucking families around me."

"You should have been a fag, then they would kick you out and you could live however you want."

"Like you?"



Brian stuck his tongue out at her.  "Just like me. You should be so lucky."

"I'm female.  That starts me off with a few strikes against me."



"You've done okay for yourself," Brian said letting her know what he really thought about her achievements.



"And I hope to be doing much better when you open your own agency," she added pointedly.



"That's a given."



That earned him a big smile.  "So, have fun tomorrow. Is Justin going with you?"



"I tried to talk him out of it, but he's like you.  The fascination of seeing me serve, rather than service people, is just too much for him."

"You're lucky to have him."

"I know."

"Enjoy yourself.  I'm leaving in a few minutes."



"Have a good Thanksgiving and don't let the turkeys get you down."

"Thanks, Boss," she said as she went out the door.



Brian looked at the itinerary she had handed him.  He started his Thanksgiving escapade at the first place at noon, stayed for a half hour and then went on to the next.  Taking into account the traveling time between each place it should mean about four hours work.



"I can do that," he told himself.  He knew he was going to hate every minute of it.



A few minutes later there was a tap at his door.



"Enter."

"Brian, I have the latest numbers on the collection of food.  Including what was collected today from the usual methods, we have almost tripled what was donated last year," Geoffrey told him dropping a pile of papers on his desk.



Brian picked up the papers and flipped through them.  "Triple? Not bad."

"Fucking good!"



"Geoffrey, my tender ears."


"I could hardly believe that we have done so well."

"You deserve a lot of the credit for coordinating everything."

"Thanks, but it was your idea," Geoffrey replied.



"Well, there's enough credit for both of us.  I'm just glad it worked."

"It should help a great deal to tide the food banks over until the Christmas giving and into the new year."

"It never ends, does it?" Brian said thinking about having to do this all over again.



"The need is always there."



"Yeah," Brian said with a little grimace.  "So what do you have planned for the long weekend?"



"Not much."



"That tells me a lot."

"I … I'll be at the Salvation Army kitchen when you get there," Geoffrey said.



"You will?  You don't need to do that.  Take the day off."

"I … I always go there for Thanksgiving Day.  I help with their food program."

"You do?  You never said anything about that."

"I wouldn't have now either, but you will be there, so I thought I better warn you."



"Consider me warned.  I'll see you tomorrow."

This was going to be one weird ass day.



                                                            -----



The limousine pulled up in front of the Salvation Army soup kitchen.  Brian hesitated.



"What's wrong?" Justin asked.



"I'm not sure I can do this," Brian admitted.  "What if I throw up all over some foul smelling bum?"

"You can do this.  I know you can. And you won't throw up.  I'll be right beside you." Justin's fingers threaded through Brian's and squeezed.



Brian felt the encouragement and drew strength from his lover.  "I can do this," he said more to himself than to Justin. He opened the car door a crack and Chuck pulled it the rest of the way.  Brian climbed out and offered Justin his hand. He wanted that hand in his. He needed that hand or he might run away.



They walked into the building to be met by the head Salvation Army person.  He welcomed the mayor effusively and Brian shook his hand, introducing Justin as soon as he got the chance.  There was a TV camera crew inside the dining area. They were all set up waiting for the mayor to arrive and do his duty.  There were some print media people there too.



The Salvation Army commander led Brian to the back where the food was set out and people were already lined up to receive it.  Apparently the mayor had to dish up the first meal. Brian took his position. He was in charge of the turkey. Justin stood beside him ready to do the potatoes.  Brian caught a glimpse of Geoffrey who seemed to be at the dessert table surrounded by pieces of pie, and still cutting more. Brian gave him a little smile and Geoffrey nodded in acknowledgement.  Neither of them seemed to want to make more of a display than that.



The first person made their way through the line and Brian and Justin managed to dish out appropriate portions of food.  The still photographers clicked away getting the picture that would appear in tomorrow's paper. The TV woman came up to Brian with her mike in hand.  She wanted to know what Brian thought about his job for the day.



"This isn't my job," Brian told her.  "I'm only here for a little while. You should be talking to all the hard working people who prepared this food and will be here all afternoon dishing it up."

The woman cleared her throat and tried to cover the glare she gave Brian.  "How successful was the food campaign that you initiated this year?" she asked.



"We managed to triple the amount of food from last year.  I'd like to thank all the generous citizens of Pittsburgh who took that extra bit of time and thought to donate to the food program.  Hopefully they will do so again, until the whole program becomes unnecessary. That is the ultimate goal."

"Isn't that a little 'pie in the sky'?" the woman asked.



"Isn't it better than never hoping for an end to the need to do this?"

"Thank you, Mr. Mayor," she said and decided enough was enough.  The TV lights went off.



"Good one, Brian," Justin whispered with an evil grin.



"Mr. Kinney," a voice said from behind Brian.



Brian turned and looked at a man that seemed vaguely familiar.  Slowly the realization of who this was dawned on Brian. "Adam?" he said.



"None other."



"I hardly recognized you.  You're not…?"

"No," Adam Pritchard chuckled.  "I'm dishing out the food this time.  I came with Geoffrey when he told me what he was doing today."

"Then everything's all right with you?"

"It's great.  I'm still the superintendent of Geoffrey's building and I haven't had a drink in eight months and five days."



"That's great, Adam," Brian said genuinely happy that the man had turned his life around.



"I have something for you," Adam said.  He held out his hand with a small roll of bills in it.  "It's the hundred that you lent me. I said I'd pay you back," Adam grinned proudly.



Brian was about to tell him to donate it to the Salvation Army, but he saw the look of pride on Adam's face and knew that he needed to accept the money to complete their bargain.  He reached out and took the money from Adam. "I better get back to work," Brian said seeing the next person waiting patiently for their meal. "It's good to see you."

"You too," Adam said with a smile as he went back into the kitchen where he was helping with the food.



Brian dished up the next batch of turkey.



"Who was that?" Justin asked.



"My first lost boy," Brian said enigmatically and left it at that.



Finally the commander came back to relieve them of their tasks.  He thanked Brian profusely and said that he was sure his appearance there would help donations to their programs.



When Brian and Justin were once more in the back of the limo, Brian leaned against Justin and sighed.



"What's wrong?" Justin asked.



"I hope this is worth it."



"You did good, and it will be worth it.  Who was that man that gave you the money?"

"Do you remember the bum from the black and white ball?" Brian asked.



"That was him?"

Brian grinned and nodded.  "He's turned his life around."



"That's wonderful," Justin said and kissed Brian on the cheek.



                                                              -----



The afternoon wore on.  They went to three more kitchens that were dishing out meals.  Most of them were in churches and the people running the charities were most grateful to have Brian put in an appearance.  There was coverage by one more TV station at one of the venues and print people at the others. The last stop was coming up.



"You can do one more," Justin said squeezing Brian's hand once again and knowing that Brian's tolerance was running thin.



"I guess," Brian sighed.



They got out of the limo and made their way into the church.  It was just after three-thirty, but it seemed to Brian that they had been doing this for days.



As they walked into the basement where the meals were set up, Brian heard a familiar voice laughing.  "Is that Debbie?" Brian asked Justin.



Justin shrugged.  They stepped into the room and saw the familiar redhead behind the food table.  "Brian," she called. "Justin. Over here." She waved frantically at them.



Brian walked towards the table and realized that Michael, Hunter and Ben were there too.  He heard a voice and looked over to see Lindsay and Melanie at the dessert table doing the same job that Geoffrey had been doing.



"Daddy," a little voice called and Brian saw Gus running towards him.



He scooped up the little boy kissing his cheek and whispering, "Hey, Sonny Boy."

Gus hugged him and held on.  The person in charge of the meals was waiting patiently to get Brian to start his job of dishing up food.



"You go back to your mommies, Gus," Brian said gently.  He set the little boy down and looked at Justin.



"Debbie wanted to surprise you," he said.  "She thought this would show her support and make you feel better."

"She fucking thought I couldn't get through the afternoon," Brian whispered.



Justin knew that Brian didn't really mean that.  He was just tired. "She just wanted to show her support, Brian.  Don't be angry at her."



Justin looked at Brian and almost thought he saw a tear in his eye.  He reached for Brian's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.



Brian cleared his throat.  "Let's get this show on the road," he said brusquely.



He was shown to his spot in the food line.  Once again he dished up the turkey. Debbie was beside him doing the gravy.



"I'm so proud of you, kiddo," she said once Brian got into the swing of things.



"Thanks," he said quickly.  "Why are you here?"

"I wanted to do something to show you that I think this whole food initiative of yours is great.  You have become one hell of a mayor."

"Did you have to bring everyone else with you?"

"They volunteered once I told them what I was going to do."

"No shit?"

"They did.  We decided to have dinner around six at my place.  Then you and Justin and everybody can attend."


Brian was truly touched that they had gone to all this trouble to show that they believed in what he was doing.  He cleared his throat once again to get the lump to go away. "How are you cooking dinner if you're here?" Brian asked trying to change the subject to something easier for him to handle.



"Vic and Emmett are at the house taking care of everything."



"Do you think it's safe to leave them there together?" Brian asked tongue in cheek.  He had regained his equilibrium. "We'll probably have pear puffs and coconut cake."

"And you'll eat whatever the fuck they've made and thank them for making it," Debbie stated.



"Yes, mother."



That earned him a big smile from Debbie.  "I am so fucking proud of you," she repeated the tears in her eyes very evident.



"Don't, Deb.  Please don't," he begged.



Debbie realized that Brian was in no fit state to deal with emotions right now.  He had probably been on the verge of overload all day. "We're almost done here," Debbie said.  "They close at four so everybody has a chance to get back to their families for an evening meal."



"Good," Brian said relieved to hear that.



The line of people was dwindling.  Michael came over to speak to Brian.  They exchanged a kiss. Brian waved to Ben and made a face at Hunter who licked his lips suggestively at the mayor.  Brian whispered something in Michael's ear. The dark man grinned and nodded his approval. Justin watched all this as he played with Gus, keeping the little boy occupied while his mothers gave out the last of the pie.



Brian walked over to them and picked up Gus.  He crushed the little boy against his chest. Justin realized that Brian needed to get out of there before he lost it.  He whispered to Brian that they should leave.


To Justin's surprise Brian turned to Melanie and Lindsay and asked if Gus could ride with him to Debbie's.  They agreed glad to have the little boy out from under foot as they cleaned up. Then Brian turned to Debbie.



"Deb, I'd like you to ride with Justin and Gus and me."

"Me?  In the limo?" Debbie asked.



"In the limo," Brian said softly.



"But my car?"



"Michael will drive it home for you," Brian explained.  Michael nodded his agreement.


"Oh, my … yes … sure.  Right now?"



"Right now."



Brian took her hand and the four of them made their way out to the limousine.  Chuck held the door open as Debbie climbed in running her hands over the soft leather of the seats.



Justin sat on one side of Debbie and Brian on the other holding Gus.  She took one of their hands in each of hers. "This is nice," she said with a big grin.  "I feel like a princess."



"You look like a queen," Brian said and kissed her cheek.



"Isn't that you?" Justin asked with a chuckle.



"Ignore the tyke.  He's being obstreperous today," Brian teased.



"Thank you, Brian," Debbie said sincerely.  "It was nice of you to do this for me."

"Nothing but the best for you … mother," Brian said.



"Thanks, son," Debbie said and let go of his hand to wipe away the lipstick from the kiss she had just given him.  She adjusted her boobs, sniffed once and said, "Let's get this heap moving. I need to see what kind of fucking disaster Vic and Emmett have managed to create at home."



Gus giggled at her choice of words and Brian and Justin grinned at each other.  Things were back to normal.

Chapter 30 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 30 *

Brian pushed the button and the huge tree burst into light.  It twinkled and glowed in the soft snowfall. It was the beginning of December and he and Justin were lighting the city Christmas tree at town hall.  He felt Gus turn and point at the elaborate tree.



"Pretty, huh?" he said to the little boy he held in his arms.



"Nice," Gus said wistfully.



It was nice.  Brian had almost refused to do this.  Christmas held no good associations for him.  His mother spent all her time in church and his father used it as an excuse to be drunk.  They got clothes as gifts, nothing they ever really wanted. It was the one time of the year that he and Claire had something in common.  They both hated Christmas. They got to watch other kids with their new toboggans or skates while they had nothing comparable. It was the beginning of Brian always feeling like an outsider, removed from the rest of society.  That was long before he even knew there was such a thing as homosexuality.



Lindsay had said she would bring Gus if Brian would do the tree lighting.  Gus would love it and it would be a special moment between father and son.



"Brian," he heard Justin say and felt him tug on his sleeve.  "Where were you? They want you to say a few words.



Brian realized that he was hugging Gus hard.  The little boy was squirming against him. He wanted to protect Gus and make all his Christmas memories happy ones.  He released his grip slowly and handed Gus to Justin. He moved over to the microphone.



"Thank you all for coming here tonight for the lighting of the tree.  It looks beautiful. Even my son said it was 'nice'." That elicited some chuckles from the audience and Brian looked over at Gus who smiled back at him.  "I hope the holidays this year will be filled with love and peace for you all."

There was a round of applause as Brian moved away from the mike and reclaimed his son from Justin.



Geoffrey bustled up and said, "Well done, Mr. Mayor."

"Thanks, Geoffrey.  I don't think you've ever met my son," he added and turned Gus to face Geoffrey.  "Say hi, Gus."



"He's a lovely little boy," Geoffrey stated holding Gus' hand for a moment.



Gus smiled at him and shyly said, "Hi."

Geoffrey gazed longingly at Gus, then abruptly cleared his throat.  "I better get back to work and make sure the refreshments are all in order.  He quickly left. Brian was intrigued more and more by this mysterious man who was so hard and so soft at the same time.  He wondered what Geoffrey would be doing for Christmas.



"Brian," Lindsay said from behind him.  "We got you and Gus some hot chocolate. Mel has yours, Justin," she added as she handed Brian one to share with the little boy.



Brian took a sip to make sure it wasn't too hot for the toddler.  It was warm more than hot, so he held the Styrofoam cup to his son's lips.  Gus took a sip and grinned at his father.



"Good," he said reaching for more.



"Slowly," Brian said but held the cup up to his lips again.



As Gus sipped Brian realized that several people were watching him and his little family.



One of them spoke up, "That was a nice ceremony, Mr. Mayor.  The tree's beautiful this year."

"Thank you," Brian replied.  "I'm glad you could be here."



"Is that your son?" the same person asked.  Brian nodded. "He looks just like you."

"So I'm told," Brian said and smiled as he gave Gus a kiss on the cheek.



"It's freezing out here," Lindsay said.



"We can go into the lobby," Brian suggested.  He wasn't quite ready to relinquish Gus just yet.



They moved to the door to the lobby and Brian signaled Geoffrey to let them in.  The general public and the refreshments were all outside. A local band was going to start playing Christmas carols in a few minutes.  As Geoffrey opened the door for them, Debbie, Vic, Michael, Ben and Hunter descended upon them. Brian could do nothing to stop them and he really didn't mind having his extended family around for this special occasion.  As they were about to shut the door, Emmett, Ted and Blake arrived. They quickly came in out of the cold too.



"Is everyone here now?" Brian asked rather testily.



"Expecting some of your former tricks?" Ted asked in his old manner.



Brian glared at him.  "No, Ted, but I see you've made a full recovery, as obnoxious as ever."



"Fuck you too," Ted replied.  "I think we better leave, Blake."

Blake shrugged and they turned to leave.  "You coming, Emmett?" Ted asked.



"I'll stay, Teddy.  Somebody will give me a ride," Emmett replied.



"Suit yourself," Ted said and threw his arm over Blake's shoulders.  They quickly walked out of the lobby.



"Boy, Ted wasn't very nice," Justin said.  "How come you were with them tonight?" Justin asked Emmett.



"I think Ted still feels a little guilty about what he did to me and then dumping me for Blake.  They called to ask if I wanted to go with them. I thought we'd all be together as a group, so I said all right.  They were a little afraid to join you all."

"And well they should be," Brian said, "if that's an example of their fucking attitude."

Lindsay put her hands over Gus' ears and Brian grimaced realizing what he had said.  "I think it's Gus' bedtime," Lindsay said taking the little boy from Brian.



Justin pulled Brian down so that he could whisper in the man's ear.  Brian looked surprised and then frowned. Justin kept whispering and Brian's face softened.  He grinned and turned to Lindsay and Melanie who were buttoning up Gus' coat and getting ready to leave.



"Um," Brian began, "Justin was wondering if Gus could come with us tomorrow to pick out a Christmas tree at the tree farm," he said to the two women.



"You're having a tree this year?" Lindsay asked.

"Apparently," Brian said looking at Justin who beamed his sunshine smile at the mayor.



"Let me get this straight," Melanie said.  "You and Justin are going to a tree farm to cut down a real tree for Christmas and you want to take Gus with you?"  Brian nodded. "The apocalypse is upon us!" she stated in wonder.



"I think that's great, Brian," Lindsay said sweetly.  "Could you get one for us while you're there?"

"No, I could not.  If you want a tree, cut your own."

"Why don't we come with you?" Melanie asked knowing she was pissing Brian off.



"I think that's a great idea," Lindsay gushed.  "We can each get our tree and I can take some pictures of Gus while we're there."

Brian groaned audibly.  This wasn't at all what he had in mind.  Going to cut a fucking Christmas tree with Gus and Justin was bad enough.  Having Lindsay and Melanie tag along was a whole different kettle of fish. He wanted Gus to have a good Christmas, but he wasn't prepared to put himself in purgatory to do it.  "I don't think so," Brian said with finality. He glared at Justin knowing that the boy had caused this with his promises of how he would thank Brian later for letting him have a tree.



"Oh, come on, Brian," Lindsay said.  "Gus will love having us all there, and we can get some pictures.  It will be fun."

"Brian," Debbie said, "it's the least you can do for your son.  In fact, I think I'd like to come too. Vic and I could use a real tree this year."

Brian groaned again.  This was becoming something from the eighth circle of Hell.



"We'll come too," Michael piped up.  "Hunter says he's never had a tree before, so it will be something new and wonderful for us all."

"We'll meet at the loft at nine tomorrow morning," Debbie said as she and Vic beat a hasty retreat before Brian could tell them to fuck off.



"See you then," Michael called as he and Ben dragged Hunter and Emmett out the door before Brian could kill them all.



"Gus is asleep," Lindsay said holding the little boy whose head lolled on her shoulder.



"Give him to me," Brian said wanting to hold the little body that he was making this sacrifice for.  "I'll carry him to the car for you. Where are you parked?"



"That way," Melanie said pointing.  "Follow me," she said opening the door.



Brian looked over his shoulder at Justin.  "Find Chuck and the limo," he ordered. "Meet us by Melanie's car.  Then I'm going to kill you. Oh, and you owe me at least a million blowjobs for this," Brian stated as he went out the door.



Justin had been worried that Brian was really mad.  He had been surprised that Brian had agreed to go to the tree farm in the first place, but Justin's promises of exciting sexual favors had carried the day.  Justin knew that Gus would love the day out with his father, and Brian would love it too, once it was over. All these other people coming with them was a wrinkle he hadn't expected.  It was a wonder that Brian didn't explode when they all decided to be part of the excursion. However, as soon as Brian mentioned the blowjobs, Justin knew everything would be all right.  Brian would exact his payment, but he'd also fulfill his part of the bargain. Justin smiled happily as he went to find Chuck.



                                                                -----



Nine o'clock the next morning Brian and Justin came down to the front of the loft building to find a convoy awaiting them.  There was Debbie's old crate at the front followed by Lindsay and Melanie's station wagon with Gus in the back seat and then Ted's convertible with Blake and Emmett.



"What the fuck?" Brian asked as he exited the building.  "This is going to be a fucking nightmare."



"Brian," Justin said leaning against him.  "It won't be so bad."

"Do I have your guarantee on that?" Brian said sarcastically.  "What the hell are they doing here?" He stared at Ted and Blake.



"Hello to you too, Bri," Ted said cheerfully.  "We need a tree too. Can't wait to see your tree felling techniques in action."



Brian looked like he was ready to punch Ted in the face.  "My expertise with wood is world renowned," Brian replied sarcastically.



"Brian," Blake said, "I hope you won't mind us coming along.  We do want a tree and it could be fun."

Something about Blake's statement rang of sincerity.  Brian softened a little. He glared at Ted and said, "It's a big tree farm.  Keep out of my way."



"Let's get this fucking show on the road," Debbie said cheerfully.  "Justin, you and Brian go first, since I assume you know where this place is?"

Justin nodded.  He and Brian got into the Corvette.



"Why don't I just peel out of here?  Debbie will never catch me in that old crate of hers, and we can probably lose the others, especially Ted."


"Don't be mean, Brian.  We can do this."

"Speak for yourself."

"I still owe you several hundred thousand blowjobs," Justin purred.



Brian groaned.  "Your ass is going to get the workout of the century, that is, if we survive this maniacal plot to drive me insane."

Justin grinned and kissed Brian's cheek.  Brian put the car in gear and peeled away from the loft.  Justin thought maybe he was going to try to lose the others.  However, as they neared the corner, Brian slowed down and actually waited for them to catch up.



"I love you," Justin said snuggling against the pissed off man.



Brian huffed and then turned to kiss the blond head that rested against his shoulder.  Justin grinned but he kept his head down so Brian couldn't see. He didn't want Brian to know he was gloating about how he had gotten Brian to do this.



The trip out of Pittsburgh was uneventful and after about a forty-five minute drive they arrived at the tree farm.  Brian was rather annoyed to see that the whole convoy arrived right behind them. They hadn't managed to lose anyone, not even Ted.



Lindsay extricated Gus from his car seat and handed him to Brian.  Brian swung the boy up onto his shoulders which elicited a giggle from Gus.  Gus then grabbed Brian's hair and pulled as he steadied himself on his father's shoulders.



"Daddy," he squealed with a little bit of fright and a lot of excitement.



"Are you ready to head off into the wilderness and chop down trees, Sonny Boy?" Brian asked his son.



"Yes," Gus giggled ready now for his adventure.



Justin and one person from each group that wanted a tree had been finding out how the system worked and returned to get them all to line up and wait for the wagon that would take them out to the area where the trees could be cut.



By the time the wagon pulled up and unloaded the people who had already claimed their trees, Brian was freezing.  Justin had told him to wear long underwear and an extra sweater. However, he didn't own long underwear and wouldn't be caught dead in it even if he did.  His leather jacket had seemed like a good idea, but really wasn't very warm. The sneakers he wore weren't a lot of protection from the few inches of snow that lay on the ground.  The other members of their little group weren't much better off. Only Blake, Justin and Vic seemed to be warm. They were all sensibly bundled up.



They boarded the wagon and sat on bales of hay as the tractor pulled them out to the field where the trees could be cut.  Hunter managed to seat himself beside Brian and he looked longingly at the man all during the ride. The wagon stopped at a little booth where you could obtain a saw once you had selected your tree.  You could also have one of the farm's workers cut the tree for you if you didn't want to tackle it yourself. Brian was all in favor of that, but Lindsay and Debbie would hear of no such thing. They had come all this way to cut their own tree, and that was exactly what they all were going to do.



Each group was given a tag to mark the tree they would select.  They all set off each looking for the perfect tree. Gus was back on his father's shoulders and enjoying the view from there.  Lindsay and Melanie tagged along snapping some shots of Brian carrying Gus. Justin rushed around checking each tree that they passed.



"Here it is, Brian," Justin called.  He had found a tall spruce that was nice and bushy and well proportioned.



"Isn't that kind of large?" Melanie asked.



"The loft's got high ceilings and lots of open area.  If we don't get a big tree, it will be lost in there," Justin explained.



Brian looked at the tree.  It was kind of large, but it looked good.  He knew Justin was right about the size that would look good in the loft.  "Do you think the 'Vette will be able to carry it? It will probably hang off the back."



"We can drive behind you and make sure nobody gets too close," Lindsay offered.



"Okay," Brian said, "let's do this."  He set Gus down and went over to Justin.  They attached their tag to the tree. "Are you going to do the honors?" Brian asked Justin.  He waggled the saw at the blond.



"I thought you should do it," Justin said with a sweet smile.



"What?  You think I'm a lumberjack?"

"You have your moments."

Brian grinned.  He looked skeptically at the tree.  "I'll give it a shot, but you have to help me."

"Of course, we're partners," Justin replied with an evil grin.



Brian pushed the branches aside and bent to begin sawing near the ground.  The branches immediately sprang back and hit him in the face. "Fuck!" he yelped.  "Justin!"



Justin came to his rescue, holding the branches aside so that Brian could get at the trunk.  Melanie and Lindsay returned in time to get some pictures of Brian bent over and sawing for all he was worth.  Gus cheered him on and soon he was almost all the way through the trunk. Sweat dripped from his forehead as he stood up for a minute of breath.  Justin held the tree upright.



"Hurry up, Brian.  This is heavy and we don't want it to snap off."



"Can you hold it a bit longer?" Brian asked.



"I guess."



"Gus, come here," Brian told his son.  "I need some help." Gus ran over to his father.  "Here, take the saw with me," he told the little boy.  Gus put his hand next to his father's on the handle of the saw.  "It's hard work. Can you help me saw?" Gus nodded suddenly very serious.  Justin smiled at the two of them knowing what Brian was doing. Brian bent down and together he and Gus sawed through the last bit of the trunk.  Lindsay snapped picture after picture.



Finally Brian stood up.  "Are you ready, Gus?" he asked.  Gus nodded not really knowing what was going to happen.  "Come push with me." Gus came to the edge of the tree and grabbed a branch.  Brian winked at Justin who still held the tree upright. "Okay, Gus, push that way."  Gus gave a push and so did Brian. Justin released his grip and the tree toppled over.  Gus jumped up and down and clapped his hands with glee. Lindsay captured it all on film.  "Good job, Sonny Boy," Brian said picking up his son and giving him a kiss on the cheek. Gus positively beamed.  He was so proud of himself. Justin came over to be part of the group hug. "We make a good team," Brian said giving Justin a warm kiss.



"Pervert," he heard someone say.  "This is supposed to be a family oriented place."

"And I'm here with my family!" Brian retorted.  He looked like he wanted to beat the shit out of the man who had made the comment.



"Brian," Justin said softly, "remember you're the mayor."



"Fucking asshole," Brian muttered, but he turned away and said nothing more.



"Let's get our tree now," Lindsay said hoping to ease the tension.



"Have you found one you like?" Justin asked.



"Over here," Mel called from off to the side.



They made their way over to the tree Mel wanted.  There was a big discussion about who would do the sawing.  Finally they decided that Brian and Gus had done such a good job on the other one that they should cut this one down too.  Gus was all for that, but Brian snarled. Eventually he gave in and Justin held the tree for him as before. Gus helped at the end and each family had their tree.



"How come I get to do all the actual work while they take pictures?" Brian griped.



"Because you're the best," Justin said and gave him a peck on the cheek.



"How can I argue with that?" Brian asked tongue in cheek.  Justin kissed him again bringing a lascivious grin to the mayor's lips.  "I think it's time to go home."

"I think so too," Justin said.  "I'm freezing."

"We can get all nice and warm again in our bed," Brian added.



"That sounds just right."



"Come on, you two," Lindsay said.  "We don't need the mayor and his partner arrested for public intercourse."

Brian stuck his tongue out at her, but he set Gus down.  "I think we better drag these damn trees to the wagon and get the fuck out of here."

"I agree," Lindsay said taking Gus' hand.



Brian took hold of the trunk of his and Justin's tree and of the Munchers' tree.  Justin took the top of each tree. They carried them back to the wagon spot where they were loaded on the second wagon.  The rest of the gang was waiting for them having already cut their own trees.



"I see nobody lost a leg or other essential body part," Brian observed with a smirk.



"Emmett was wonderful," Deb said.  "He knows all about cutting down trees."



"Oh hush," Emmett feigned embarrassment but grinned from ear to ear.  "We were so poor back in Hazlehurst that we always cut a tree from the park down the road.  Of course, it was illegal, so we had to be fast. I got pretty good at it."



"You are a man of many talents," Brian said.



"Thanks, Mr. Mayor," Emmett replied.  "It looks like you got a couple of nice trees yourself.



"We did all right," Brian said.



Justin came back after paying for their tree.  "All done," he said. "Let's climb aboard."



They all got on the wagon their trees safely stowed on the wagon behind and rode back to the parking lot.  Gus fell asleep snuggled up against Brian.



"All this fresh air and tree cutting knocks him right out," Brian said with a grin.



"He loved it, Brian," Justin said.  "It was great that you agreed to do this."

"Funny, so many of the things I think I'll hate doing turn out to be fun when I do them with you and Gus."

Justin's glowing smile warmed them all on the ride back to their cars.

Chapter 31 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 31 *

Justin hammered and screwed the stand onto the bottom of the tree that he and Brian had cut at the tree farm.  It had been a fun day with Gus and the whole gang. Well, most of it. Gus had had a good time and he thought Brian had enjoyed himself.  He kind of said that he did. Justin smiled blocking out the incident with the man who had called them perverts. He wondered if that would ever change.



"Brian," he called.



Brian had been in the shower ever since they got back.  He said he was frozen solid. Justin would have liked to join him, but Brian said his balls were too blue to function properly.  Fucking Justin in the shower would probably cause them to fall off. He told Justin to get the tree set up while he got warm under the hot water.  He said he'd exact his payment from Justin later and Justin understood that being banished from the shower was part of that payment.



The shower had gone off a while ago.  "Brian!" Justin called louder.



"What?" Brian asked sticking his head out of the bathroom.



"I need your help."

"To do what?  This Christmas tree thing is your bailiwick, not mine."

"I can't lift it upright by myself."

"So all I'm good for is muscle power?"

"Your height helps too," Justin said sweetly.



Brian huffed, but he came out of the bathroom clad only in a towel wrapped around his hips.  He looked skeptically at what Justin had done. "Do you really think it will stand up in that thing?" Brian asked pointing to the stand that looked rather puny at the base of the large tree.



Justin was staring longingly at Brian's bare chest.  "Huh?" he said when Brian stopped talking.



Brian snorted.  "See something you like … besides the tree?"

"Maybe," Justin said sheepishly.  "I've got the stand in place, but I can't lift it by myself."



"Come on then," Brian said offering his hand and hauling Justin to his feet.



Justin allowed his forward momentum to carry him up against Brian.  He sniffed Brian's throat all citrus-smelling from the shower. Justin ran his hand across Brian's chest giving a little tweak to one nipple.  He looked up at Brian and said, "You smell good."



"You don't," Brian said sniffing in response.



"Briiian," Justin whined giving the man a smack in the chest.  "You wouldn't let me shower with you," he pouted. "Speaking of which, how are your balls?"  Justin reached down to give them a gentle squeeze.



"I believe they're functional again.  Want to try them out?"

"Yes please, but after we get this thing standing upright."



"I believe I'm starting to stand upright myself," Brian said with a smirk.  They both looked at his crotch.

Justin giggled.  "Help me and we can test out your balls right away."



"After you shower."

"I don't smell that bad, do I?"



"I'll take the fifth on that one."



"You're mean," said Justin heading to the top of the tree.



"You love me anyway."



"Yeah, I do, fool that I am."

"You mean brilliant, sensitive, discerning chap that you are."

Justin giggled again.  "Help me," he pleaded tugging on the tree.



Brian grabbed the base and between the two of them they righted the tree and it stood tall and proud in front of the windows of the loft.  They moved back to get a better look at it.



"It looks … awesome," Justin said.



"Not bad," Brian agreed and from him that was high praise.   "Now go shower before my balls fall off from deprivation."



Justin snorted this time.  "Like you've ever experienced deprivation in that area."



"And I don't want to start now."  Brian gave him a swat on the bum as he moved towards the bedroom.  "Hurry up."



Justin hit the shower, quickly getting rid of the sweat he had worked up hauling the tree around.  He was glad to be here in the loft with Brian and to have Brian help him even reluctantly. They had an interesting and challenging life now that Brian was the mayor.  He began thinking about last Christmas when they had gone away together to escape the threats against the new mayor.



They had never really spent a Christmas together in the loft.  This would be their first. He was looking forward to it – all Brian, all day, and presents and food.  He could hardly wait. He realized he was stroking himself thinking about Christmas day and waking up next to Brian in their bed.  He would give him the blowjob of the millennium and then they would have coffee and scrambled eggs and open their presents. He still had to get one for Brian.  He wasn't sure what he could afford that Brian would like. He glanced down and realized he better stop his manipulations before he wasted it in the shower. He wanted to save it for Brian.



He turned off the shower and stepped out.  Immediately a warm fluffy towel enfolded him and he sighed as he leaned back into Brian's strong arms.  Brian held the towel tight around him, his arms wrapped around Justin's chest. Justin tilted his head back and was rewarded with a soft lingering kiss.



"You taste like more," Justin whispered.



"Let's get you dry so I can get you all hot and sweaty and sticky all over again," Brian whispered in his ear.  He nipped at the lobe and Justin felt a shiver of anticipation run through his body. God, he loved this man, and seemingly Brian loved him.  Life was good.



Brian dried him off taking note of Justin's stiffy.  He gave it special attention, then dropped to his knees and expertly sucked off his young lover.



"You taste delicious," he said when the boy was properly taken care of and leaning somewhat unsteadily against him.



"Bed," Justin said and they moved over there for round two.



Brian tumbled backwards onto the bed and found his arms full of beautiful blond boy.  Justin rubbed against him as he snuggled on top of Brian's chest. Brian's hand found a delicious piece of Justin's ass to fondle and they both sighed contentedly.  They lay there in each other's arms enjoying the full length contact.



"Are you going to fuck me?" Justin demanded ready for more.



"Someone's very impatient today," Brian singsonged.



"Someone's extremely annoying," Justin retorted.



"Someone's going to get a spanking if he doesn't behave."

"Someone's looking for trouble if he tries."

"Would that be good trouble or bad trouble?" Brian asked and nibbled on Justin's throat.



"Um," Justin responded.  "Which kind of trouble would you like?"

"Whichever kind gets your dick up my ass."

Justin sat up abruptly.  He wasn't sure he had heard right.  "Are you saying…?"


Brian nodded with that goofy grin on his face.  "You worked so hard today and put up with all my shit.  I thought you deserved a reward. Actually it will be a reward for both of us."  He raised a brow and smirked at his young lover.

Justin beamed back at him.  "I love you, you know," Justin said before he captured Brian's lips in a warm kiss.  He rubbed against the man and could feel both their cocks stiffen against his groin. He was so ready for this.  He licked along Brian's jaw and his hands slid between their bodies and squeezed Brian's breasts. The man groaned and Justin grinned.  He loved it when Brian made noise. Then he knew he had gotten to him. Usually Brian was in control. Drawing unexpected moans and groans from him meant that he had penetrated that shell that Brian still kept around parts of himself.



Justin slid down and kneeled between Brian's legs.  He shoved the man's thighs apart with his knees and caressed the soft skin inside.  He grabbed the tube of lube and squirted some in his palm. He spread it over Brian's pucker and then used his lubed palm to stroke Brian's already stiff cock.  He heard Brian gasp in response, but he wanted more noise.



More lube added to his fingers and he was ready.  He pressed on the tight knot of muscle and one finger gained admittance.  He hooked it and jabbed in and out causing Brian's eyes to flutter closed and a soft moan to escape his lips.  Justin added another finger and scissored inside the warm hole. Brian arched up and moaned louder, his eyes clamped shut as he rode the feelings that engulfed him.



Justin smiled.  He was getting there.  He ripped open a condom and slid it on.  He grabbed the back of Brian's knees and lifted the man's legs onto his shoulders.  He leaned in and kissed the slightly open mouth. Brian allowed him entry and his tongue swirled around.  This time it was Justin who moaned. He loved the taste of his man. He loved to kiss Brian, to feel him respond, to know that only he mattered to the man at that particular moment in time.



Justin's cock twitched as he positioned it.  Brian opened his eyes and Justin drove in through the first ring of muscle.  He saw Brian wince, but then smile up at him and he pushed harder gaining full entry.  He gave a short jab to make sure he was completely embedded and then stopped waiting for Brian to look at him again.  Brian opened his eyes and reached up to bring Justin's lips back to his own once again. The kiss sent shivers down Justin's spine.



Sometimes they were so connected physically and mentally and emotionally that it was almost scary.  It was like he knew what Brian was thinking and what he wanted him to do and vice versa. He felt Brian shift slightly and knew instinctively that he was ready for more.  He withdrew his cock until only the head remained inside. He wanted this to be long and slow and satisfying. He knew somehow that Brian wanted the same. He pushed back in and waited.  He felt Brian's muscles contract around him and he threw his head back in sheer ecstasy. That was exactly what he wanted Brian to do.



He drew back and this time slammed forcefully in, his balls slapping against Brian's ass.  The man contracted his muscles trying to force him out but Justin stayed firmly embedded. He leaned in for another kiss.



Slowly at first, but building speed as he went, Justin drew back and plunged in.  His rhythm increased in pace and depth for a few minutes. Brian met each stroke with an upward thrust.  The grunts and moans grew louder and louder.



Justin felt the tingling in his balls and electric shocks raced along his spine.  He rammed faster and harder. Brian groaned and then yelled, "Oh, fuck!" as he shot all over both of them.  The muscles around Justin's dick squeezed hard and he screamed, "Brian!" and came with great force into the condom.  He rode the waves of pleasure that washed over him, and then slumped against Brian's chest as the man's legs slipped from his shoulders.



He lay sweaty and breathless and sticky and exhausted and totally happy.  He felt Brian's arms come around him, his dick still partially inside this man that he loved beyond all reason.



After a bit he felt his cock soften and slide out.  He sighed and rolled off Brian so that he could remove the used condom.  They were both covered in cum and sweat.



"You know, I'm all toasty and warm now," Justin said with a big grin as he tossed the condom in the wastebasket.  "But I need another shower. So do you."

"Not yet, Sunshine," Brian said with his own grin.  "My turn."

"You up for another one?" Justin asked.



"You doubt me?" Brian asked pretending to be hurt.



"Well, you were having some trouble with your balls a while ago," Justin said with an angelic smile.

"They're completely defrosted and functional."

"No shit!"



"No shit," Brian repeated pulling Justin against him and kissing him thoroughly as only Brian Kinney could do.  Round three was about to begin.



                                                              -----



"Will you make up your mind?" Brian griped.



He had been following Justin around to shop after shop that sold Christmas tree ornaments.  Justin was determined to find the perfect decorations for their tree which was now standing naked in the loft.



"I haven't seen the perfect thing yet," Justin responded picking up some ornaments and looking critically at them.



"Do you think seeking perfection might be a bit unrealistic?"



"I just want it to look great.  We'll have these ornaments for a long time."



"We will, will we?" Brian asked tongue in cheek.



Justin blushed.  "I just meant that… we… you… they cost a lot… don't want to buy something ugly…"



"It's all right," Brian said pulling him close for a quick hug.  "You get whatever you want."



"Thanks," Justin said softly.  He knew he was driving Brian to the limit of his patience, but he wasn't prepared to settle for some mediocre crap.  Suddenly he stopped dead in his tracks. There it was. A tree ahead of them was adorned with off white and gold colored ornaments.  There were a variety of shapes and sizes but all following the same color scheme. "That's it," he said staring at the tree.



"You found something you like?"

Justin pointed.  Brian stared at the tree.  It was quite striking. The simple use of the two colors had quite an impact against the green of the tree.  It looked rich, but not ostentatious. It was beautiful.



"You have good taste," Brian said and Justin beamed at him.



"You like it?" he asked.



"Not bad at all," Brian said.



They made their purchase selecting boxes of various shaped ornaments in the colors of gold and cream.  Justin selected a twisted garland of mesh, pearls and gold beads. They bought several boxes of white lights to go on the tree first.



"Are they going to twinkle?" Brian asked.



"Do you want them to?"

Brian seemed to consider for a minute.  "I don't know," he said slowly. "Gus might like it if they did," he said finally.



"Then twinkle it is," Justin said having some thought that maybe it was Brian who really wanted the lights to sparkle.



Brian gave him a smile and they gathered up their purchases and left the store.  Several hundred dollars of decorations accompanied them.



"Who knew it cost that much to decorate a tree?" Brian said as they stowed their packages in the Corvette.



"You didn't want cheap crap, did you?" Justin asked.



"Of course not.  I'm not complaining.  I just have no experience with this kind of thing."

"You had a tree, didn't you … when you were a kid?"



"Yeah, my mother stuck one up each year.  We were never allowed to touch anything or go near it."

"You can help me decorate our tree," Justin said hopefully, stressing the word 'our'.  "If you want to…"



"Maybe," Brian said slowly.  "Are you ready to go home?"



Justin nodded, satisfied with his purchases and ready to see how they looked on their tree in the loft.



When they arrived back at the loft Justin began unpacking all the things they had bought.  Brian watched from behind his computer desk. Justin wasn't sure what Brian wanted to do. He had kind of gotten the impression that Brian wanted to help him with the tree when they had discussed it at the store.  Now Brian seemed wary and aloof, staying safely behind his desk.



Justin opened the five boxes of lights that they had purchased for the tall tree.



"Could you give me a hand?" he asked Brian, deciding to take the bull by the horns.



"What do you want?" Brian asked still seated behind his desk.



"These have to go around and around the tree.  It's easier if you are on one side and I can pass them to you around the back."



"Okay," Brian said standing up.



That was progress.  "Grab the step stool from the kitchen.  We have to start at the top."

"Why start at the top?" Brian asked bringing the stool.  "Wouldn't it be easier to start from the bottom?"

"I always start from the top and work my way down."



"You're the expert in this," Brian said.



"Can you climb up and start wrapping these around?  You're taller than me and can reach better."

Brian gave him a look, but climbed to the top of the stool.  "Tell me what to do," he said.



Justin was going to say, "Stick the lights on", but then he realized that Brian might actually be asking for his guidance.  "Try to get a few lights near the top but leave the spike at the top for the star. Wrap the strands around and push them about halfway into the centre.  You want them away from the edges where the ornaments will go, but they should also be visible, so don't hide them."



"Is that what Martha Stewart says?" Brian asked with a smirk.



"Actually I think she's one of those foolish people who think lights should go against the trunk.  I don't like that."


"You mean there are conflicting theories on how to decorate a fucking Christmas tree?"

"Some people take this very seriously," Justin told him.  "That's why it took me so long to pick the ornaments. They had to be just right."


Brian snorted, but Justin noticed that he kept wrapping the lights around and seemed to be taking extra care with where he placed them.  Justin smiled to himself. Brian came down one step and continued to place the lights. Justin fed the strands out to him and added a new batch as Brian used them up.  When they had two boxes on the tree, Justin said Brian should move the stool and they could pass the lights around behind from one to the other. Soon they had all the lights arranged.



"Let's try them out and make sure they work before we put everything else on the tree," Justin said.



"It won't explode or electrocute us or short out the whole building, will it?" Brian asked looking skeptically at the tree.



"I certainly hope not," Justin replied getting the extension cord and plugging it in to an outlet.  "Have you been watching 'Christmas Vacation' behind my back?"

"What's that?" Brian asked.



"Haven't you seen that movie with Chevy Chase?" Justin asked.  Brian shook his head. "It's hilarious."

"I studiously avoided anything to do with Christmas," Brian stated.



Justin wanted to ask him what he did for Christmas every year, but decided now was not the time.  "We should rent it," Justin said. "It's a hoot. Ready? Here goes." Justin plugged the tree lights into the extension and the tree blazed into radiant light.



"Wow!" Brian said before he could stop himself.


Justin grinned at him as Brian looked rather sheepish.  "You done good, Mr. Mayor. It looks spectacular, and wait until we get the rest of the stuff on it."

"It does look good."



"Unplug it until we finish with the decorations."



Brian insisted that Justin place the ornaments since he had the artist's eye.  Brian did climb the stool and help to wind the garlands around the tree. He also placed some decorations near the top of the tree under Justin's expert guidance.  Then Brian unboxed and held out the ornaments for Justin to place on the lower branches. When all of the boxes were empty, Justin said the only thing left was the star for the top of the tree.  He wanted Brian to do the honors. Brian dutifully climbed the stool one more time and stuck the star firmly on the top spike. Justin got him to adjust it until it was straight. While Brian climbed down and put the stool away, Justin made a few last adjustments to the ornaments.  He asked Brian to turn the lights out as it was now dusk.



Justin told Brian to stand back from the tree while he plugged in the lights once again.  Then he ran over to join Brian as they surveyed their handiwork.



"It looks … beautiful, Justin," Brian whispered.



Justin could see a tear in Brian's eye as he glanced up at his lover.  "It is beautiful and we did it, from start to finish."

"Yeah, we did," Brian said proudly and kissed his partner.  "Gus will love it."

"I love it," Justin stated.



Brian smiled at him.  "Shall we make love by the light of our Christmas tree?" Brian asked squeezing his lover against him.



"You have excellent ideas, Mayor Kinney," Justin said as they dropped to the rug in front of the tree.  Brian thought his lover had never looked more beautiful than under the glow of their Christmas tree.

Chapter 32 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 32 *

"Brian," Geoffrey said poking his head in Brian's office door.  "Have you got a minute?"

"For you, Geoffrey, always," Brian said with his little smirk.



Geoffrey gave him a look clearly saying that he did not appreciate being the butt of Brian's jokes.  He closed the door behind him and walked over to the chair across the desk from Brian. He sat on the edge of the chair and handed Brian a sheet of paper.  Brian scanned it.



"What the fuck is this?" Brian asked.



"A list of all the holiday events you have been invited to as mayor."

"But … there must be forty things on here."



"Forty-two.  That's only the ones I have received so far.  It's usually best policy to agree to those who get their requests in early.  That makes a good excuse to decline the ones that come later."



"There will be more?"

"The previous mayor had around a hundred by the time all was said and done."

"A hundred?" Brian asked incredulously.  "They can't expect me to attend a hundred events, parties, whatever-the-fucks."

"You won't get invited to quite that many."

"Good … but why not?"

Geoffrey smirked.  "These are charitable organizations, business groups, religious groups.  Some of them would not be interested in having your sort attend their function."



"You mean because I'm gay."

"Precisely."

"Well that suits me just fine.  I wouldn't want to attend their pathetic festive gatherings anyway," Brian said sarcastically.  "So fuck 'em all, as Emmett would say."

"Who's Emmett?"

"A friend."

"He has the right attitude."



"Does he now?" Brian asked looking curiously at Geoffrey.  One minute he thought the man was having him on, the next he thought he was laughing at him and then he would seem to be thinking exactly the same thing that Brian was.  He could never quite get a handle on good old Geoffrey. "How old are you, Geoffrey?" Brian asked suddenly.



"I don't see what that has to do with the price of beans," Geoffrey said indignantly.



"Neither do I, so just tell me."

Geoffrey huffed, but then he said, "Forty-three."

"Oh."

"What does that mean?"

"It means, 'oh'."

"Can we get back to business, please?" Geoffrey asked.



"What business?"

"You need to select which of those parties or functions you want to attend."



"That's easy," Brian replied.  "None." He tossed the paper on his desk.



"I'm afraid that's not an option."



"How many am I expected to attend?" Brian asked with a sigh.



"At least twenty-five."

"You can't be serious."



"I'm always serious."



"We'll have to do something about that one of these days," Brian said thoughtfully.  He ignored Geoffrey's glare. "So how many … bottom line?"

"These are important people in Pittsburgh.  It's good PR to attend as many as you can. There are several that you can just pop in, say hello and leave."



"You're telling me I'm actually expected to go to at least twenty-five of these … functions?"  Geoffrey nodded. "Fuck!"



"Language."



Brian ignored the criticism of his language.  "Pick the absolute minimum that I have to go to," he said tersely.



"Don't you want to pick some that you might enjoy?"

Brian glared at him.  "You don't actually think I'm going to enjoy any of them, do you?"

"I thought maybe…" Geoffrey didn't know how to complete that statement.  "What do you do to celebrate Christmas?" Geoffrey asked.



It was on the tip of his tongue to say that he fucked as many men as he could, but that was no longer true.  "I don't … celebrate Christmas."



"You don't?"



"Usually no, but this year Justin seems to have other ideas."



"Good for Justin."  Brian glared at him.  "I'll make my selections and drop off my revised list this afternoon."

"Thanks ever so," Brian said sarcastically.



                                                              -----



When Brian arrived home from the office Justin had made them some pasta and they sat down quickly to eat.  Brian had little to say and Justin began to wonder what was wrong.



"Is something going on?" Justin asked.



"Why?"



"You're awfully quiet.  What are you thinking about?"



"I got a list of events that I have to attend over the holiday season."



"Parties?"



"Mostly."

"So why does that have you in a funk?"

"You know I'm not really into parties, at least the kind where you keep your clothes on."

"That is a stretch for you," Justin said with an evil grin.



"Brat," Brian retorted.



"It's merely the truth."

"You're expected to come with me."

"Ooh, I love parties," Justin gushed.



"Twenty-five of them?"



"What?"



"You heard me."



"We're going to twenty-five parties?"

"Maybe more."

"Jesus!"



"You better start praying to him because I may rip somebody's head off before we get through with all of them."

"Why so many?"

"It could have been forty-two, but I made Geoffrey cut down the list."

"Holy shit!"



"So get your best suit pressed and plaster on that sunshine smile.  The holiday season is upon us."



Justin looked very depressed and Brian wondered why parties were having that effect on him.



"What's wrong, Justin?  You like parties, and I promise to do my very best not to rip anybody a new asshole."



"I … I was going to ask you, but … now there's no point…"



"Ask me what?" Brian said thinking he probably wasn't going to like this.



"Nothing."

"Don't do that.  Tell me."

"I had been thinking that we have our beautiful tree and I could decorate the rest of the loft.  So I thought maybe we could have a little get-together with our friends for Christmas."



Brian stared at him.  "You thought that, did you?"

Justin nodded.  "But with all these parties, I guess that would be too much."  Justin looked sad.



"Are you playing me?" Brian asked.



"Yes.  Is it working?"

Brian chuckled.  "At least you're honest about it.  You really want to have a party here?"

"Yes, I really, really, really do," Justin said with a hopeful smile.



Brian knew he was doomed as soon as he heard that.  "Have a party if you want," he said softly.



"Thank you, thank you, thank you," Justin gushed and ran around the table to plunk himself in Brian's lap which led to some rubbing and kissing which led to a trip to the bedroom which led to…


                                                              -----



Between dealing with Justin's plans for the party at the loft and setting up the schedule for all the parties that he had to attend as mayor, Brian never wanted to hear about another party as long as he lived.  He and Justin began attending functions every night. Justin finished up his schoolwork as fast as he could. Once he no longer had classes he had more time to go with Brian to the dinners and cocktail parties. He could also help the man work out the tension that being nice to all the people at these things had a tendency to create.



By the end of the first week of their grueling social schedule they felt that Christmas was a time of torture not festivity.  Justin was planning their party at the loft and most of the invitees had responded positively. When Justin showed the list to Brian he suggested asking Cynthia and a date if she wanted to bring one.  Then Brian did something that really amazed Justin. He asked his lover to invite Geoffrey. When Justin asked why, he merely said that he had gotten to know his protocol officer somewhat, but wanted to know him better.  Justin had looked at him quizzically and then called Geoffrey. Geoffrey was evasive about coming. He didn't downright refuse, but he didn't sound very enthusiastic. When Justin told Brian this, he said he would speak to the man and make sure that he was there.



Brian called Geoffrey into his office a couple of days before the party.  He watched as Geoffrey entered and sat on the edge of the chair across the desk from Brian.



"You wanted to see me?" Geoffrey asked.



"Correct."

"Is there a problem?"



"Justin didn't think you sounded very enthusiastic about coming to our party."



"Oh … um … well … I don't often go to parties."



"You're coming to this one," Brian stated.



"I am?"



"If you can send me to, what are we up to now, thirty parties, then the least you can do is come to one for me."

"I…"



"I'm not taking no for an answer.  Be there."

"Um … all right."

"Good.  I'll see that you have a good time."

"And how can you predict that?" Geoffrey asked with a sneer.



"If you don't, I'll sic Debbie on you."

"Who's Debbie?"

"Believe me, you don't want to find out, so make sure you come early and have a great time."

"Yes sir."

Brian snorted as Geoffrey got up to leave.  They both knew that Brian could not force the man to attend his party, but at least he knew that Brian really wanted him to come and hopefully enjoy himself.



                                                               -----



The Tuesday night of the party was a cold, clear night in Pittsburgh.  Justin had decorated the loft with Emmett's help. Emmett had helped with the food, mostly finger stuff and dips.  There was plenty of it and lots of wine and booze and beer.



When the guests began arriving they could barely believe their eyes at the transformation of the loft.  It looked very elegant but festive. Justin gratefully accepted all the compliments and made sure that Emmett got his share of the credit.  They all gravitated towards the tree marveling at its beauty and glow.



Brian looked after the drinks and watched to see who had arrived.  He even made an effort to be pleasant to Ted who arrived with Blake.  Michael, Ben and Hunter made an appearance. Michael gave Brian a kiss before accepting a beer.  Hunter wanted both the beer and a kiss. He got a swat on the ass from Ben who told him to behave himself.  Hunter settled for a Coke and a lascivious glance at Brian's crotch.



Melanie and Lindsay arrived having left the kids with a sitter so that they could have some grownup time.  Frank and Maria Jankowski came in and were pleased to meet some of Brian and Justin's friends. Louise appeared with her new beau.  She kissed Brian and got a drink telling him that her life had changed so much since that day she picketed his office. Deb and Carl and Vic and Rodney arrived and made themselves to home.  Emmett circulated some of the food and made sure the music was appropriate and going continuously. Jennifer came with the new man she had started dating. She kept telling Justin it wasn't serious, but Steve seemed to be ever present these days.  Molly was with them. However, there was no sign of Geoffrey.



Justin came over to Brian after everyone seemed to have arrived.  "It seems to be going well," he said to his partner. "Thanks for letting me do this."

"Justin, this is your home too.  Everybody seems to be enjoying themselves."



"Yeah, it's amazing what booze and food can do."

"You got that right."



"I guess Geoffrey isn't coming," Justin said suddenly.



"Looks that way.  I thought I had talked him into it."



"He's always very private, almost secretive."

"I know.  That's part of the reason I invited him.  He's not so bad, but he's hard to get to know."

Justin knew that was high praise from Brian.  Brian had grown to quite like the man, and so had Justin from his few dealings with him.  He did his job extremely well, didn't take crap from anybody, Brian included, and helped in any way he could.



"I better circulate and make sure everything's going okay," Justin said.



"You make a lovely hostess."

Justin swatted him and moved away.  Brian leaned on the counter looking out over the room.  He was disappointed that Geoffrey hadn't come.



"Brian," a voice brought him out of his reverie.



"Hey, Mikey."

"You looked very thoughtful."

"Yeah," was all he wanted to say about that.



"We don't seem to have much time together anymore," Michael observed.



"Busy, busy," Brian replied.



"I know, mayor and all, but I kind of miss seeing you."

"Me too, but you have Ben and Hunter."



"Lookee, lookee, lookee," Emmett gushed coming up beside them, his arm linked through Geoffrey's.  "See what I found."

"Geoffrey," Brian said with a smirk.  "I didn't think you were going to make it."  Geoffrey smiled slightly but looked decidedly uncomfortable.  "I see you've met Emmett."

"This is Emmett?" Geoffrey asked looking with renewed interest at the man who still held his arm.



"Shame on you, Emmett.  Where are your manners? Didn't you introduce yourself?"

"Oh you!" Emmett blushed at his faux pas.  "I saw … Geoffrey was it, come in, and he asked for you, so I brought him over here."



"Let me do the honors," Brian said noting the interest flashing back and forth between the two.  This could be entertaining. "Geoffrey Cheeks, Emmett Honeycutt. And this is Michael Novotny."

Emmett and Geoffrey smiled at each other and ignored Michael.  Brian thought this was getting more interesting by the minute. Geoffrey said to Emmett, "Brian told me you say 'fuck 'em all'.  I like that philosophy."

"Brian quoted me?" Emmett asked staring at Brian.  "Will wonders never cease?"

"Can I get you a beer or some wine, Geoffrey?" Brian asked.



"Red wine, please," Geoffrey said never taking his eyes off Emmett.



"Here you go," Brian said handing him a glass.  "Um, Emmett, why don't you show Geoffrey around the loft and introduce him to some people?  I need to refill some glasses."



"Sure, Brian," Emmett said with a grin and whisked Geoffrey away.



"What was that all about?" Michael asked.



"I think my suspicions have just been confirmed," Brian said his tongue in cheek.



"What suspicions?" Michael asked.



"Later, Mikey," Brian replied taking the wine bottles and moving into the crowd to refill glasses.



The party was a big success at least based on the comments that Justin and Brian received.  When the last guest had left several hours later, Emmett stayed behind to help tidy up. He had promised Justin that he would.



"Thanks for all your help," Justin told him as they collected ashtrays and empty glasses.



"I think the party was a big success and Louise, I believe her name was, took some cards to give to her friends at church.  I may get some more bookings out of it."

"That's great, Emm."

"Didn't you make another booking as well?" Brian asked coming up behind them and wrapping his arms around Justin.



"Another booking?" Emmett asked.  "Whatever do you mean?"

"I saw you and Geoffrey getting all cozy.  You sat on the steps most of the night and talked."

"He's a very interesting man," Emmett said defensively.

"Yes, I guess you could say that.  So when are you two going out?"

"Going out?" Justin asked.  "You mean Geoffrey's …?"

"Gay," Brian said.



"Gay," Emmett concurred.  "How long have you known, Brian?  He didn't think you were on to him."



"I've suspected for awhile, but tonight confirmed it.  He couldn't keep his eyes off you from the moment he saw you," Brian stated.



"Oh, pshaw," Emmett replied blushing scarlet.

"So when are you two going out?" Justin asked.



"We're going to see a movie tomorrow night," Emmett admitted shyly.



"Did he just come right out and ask you?" Brian asked curious about how Geoffrey handled the whole thing.



Emmett wasn't sure how much he wanted to tell Brian, but the man seemed genuinely interested and he wasn't being sarcastic.  "He said that he's been thinking about coming out since he met you," Emmett began. Brian raised his eyebrows. "He knew if he came here tonight he would admit it to everyone.  That's what took him so long to get here. It was a big decision." Justin and Brian both nodded understanding the magnitude of it. "He really liked that I had the fuck 'em all philosophy.  He said that helped him decide to come tonight. He wanted to meet me. And the funny thing is, we were kind of attracted to each other before we even knew who the other one was."



"Life's weird," Justin said.



"Anyway he told me all that and then said, 'Come on a date with me?'  After hearing everything, how could I refuse?"


"You couldn't, of course," Brian said with a grin.



"Are you playing matchmaker here?" Emmett asked giving Brian a funny look.



"Moi?  I had no idea he'd hook up with you, Emmett.  I just wanted him to have the opportunity to spend some time with other fags and see how he liked it."

"I'd say he liked it fine," Justin contributed.



"Let's leave the rest of this shit until the morning.  I'm horny," Brian whispered chewing on Justin's ear.



"I guess that's my cue to be going," Emmett said retrieving his coat.



"Thanks again, Emm," Justin called.



"With any luck at all I may owe you two some thanks after tomorrow night's date."



"Let's hope so," Brian said.  "I'm sure you'll make a stunning couple.  Maybe it will improve Geoffrey's disposition too," Brian added as he closed the door behind Emmett.



"That isn't why you wanted Geoffrey here tonight is it?" Justin asked hoping Brian had better motives.



"Couldn't hurt," Brian said with his asshole grin, but Justin thought there was much more to it than that.  He knew the real Brian. He knew Brian wished the best for the people he cared about.


Chapter 33 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 33 *

"Are you fucking nuts, Geoffrey?" Brian yelled.



Brian saw Geoffrey cringe, but he quickly straightened up.  "It's tradition," Geoffrey said and prepared to duck.



"There is no fucking way I'm wearing a Santa suit," Brian continued to rant.  "You can tell them to shove their fucking presents up their collective asses, because Santa ain't comin' to town!"



"But Brian, the mayor always…"



"Fuck!  I don't want to hear it," Brian said in his most annoyed and emphatic voice.  "Do you sit in your fucking office every day and think up these fucking unbelievable things for me to do?"



"Of course not," Geoffrey said getting his back up.  "I'm merely informing you of what has been done in the past and what's expected of you the day after tomorrow."



"Well, they can keep on expecting because I'm not fucking doing it."



"Very well, I'll inform them," Geoffrey said with a cold glare.



"And just who are 'them'?"



"The Council, the heads of city departments…"



"And the mayor plays fucking Santa and hands out presents to their families?" Brian asked shaking his head.

Geoffrey wondered if he was making progress since Brian was now asking questions not just ranting and refusing to have any part of it.  "Every year since I've been here, and many years before that," Geoffrey told him.



"Jesus," Brian said.  "I thought there would be a lot of difficult things about this job, but who knew this crap would be the worst part of it?"



"Does that mean that you're going to do it?" Geoffrey asked stifling his smirk.



"I am not wearing a fucking fat suit!"



"Then how will you be Santa?"



"I don't fucking know, but I'm going to talk to Justin about it before I decide anything."

Geoffrey grinned to himself.  Everyone in the mayor's office had learned that Justin could get Brian to do just about anything.  Things were looking up. "As you wish, Mr. Mayor," Geoffrey said formally and took his leave. He heaved a sigh of relief as he shut the door behind him.



"You're still alive?" Cynthia said smiling at him.



"It was touch and go for a minute."

"He's going to do it?" Cynthia asked in amazement.



"He's going to talk to Justin about it," Geoffrey said.



They grinned at each other.  They both knew what that meant.



Inside Brian's office the mayor was fuming.  What the hell did playing Santa have to do with being a good mayor?  He was going to see what he could do about changing some of these asinine traditions.



                                                               -----



When Brian broached the subject with Justin, the blond burst out laughing.  Brian immediately took offense and threatened to kill his lover. It took Justin several blowjobs to calm him down and get him back to some semblance of normal.



When things were calmer, Justin decided he better get the whole story.  "So are you going to play Santa?"


Brian glared at him.  "I don't know," he said weakly.  "I don't think I can. I can just hear people laughing at me."

"Is that what you're afraid of, that people will laugh at you?"

"Nobody laughs at me," Brian said defiantly.



"Nobody will laugh at you if you play Santa.  They'll just be grateful that you're doing it."

"Oh sure.  I can already hear Ted and Emmett and Debbie…"



"They don't even have to know."

"They'll find out.  This kind of thing always comes back to haunt me."

"Have you played Santa before?"

"Yes."



"You have?  When?"

"Many years ago."

"But why?  How did you get to do that?"

"Get to do it?" Brian asked incredulously.  "I was forced."

"What do you mean … forced?"



"I … did it as a dare."

Justin giggled.  "What kind of dare?"



"Are you sure you want to hear all the gory details?"



"Definitely," Justin replied trying to keep a straight face.



"Oh fuck!" Brian grimaced.  "I was in university and I came to Deb's just before Christmas.  Michael was supposed to be Santa at the Big Q. He didn't want to do it.  See," Brian said thoughtfully like this had just occurred to him, "I'm not the only one who doesn't want to be part of this crap."


"Just tell me what happened," Justin sighed.



"Mikey was whining and bitching about having to do it."  Justin nodded knowing exactly what that would sound like.  "I told him to stop being a baby. He got really mad and dared me to do it in his place.  Of course, I said I wouldn't do it, so he said I had no right to complain about him not wanting to do it.  I said any idiot could be Santa and he dared me again. He said I was a bigger coward than him. I couldn't let that pass so I said I'd do it."

"So if I dare you to do something and call you a coward if you refuse, then you'll do it?" Justin asked with an evil grin on his face.



Brian could tell he was thinking up things to dare him to do.  Brian scowled at him. "Not hardly. I learned my fucking lesson that day."



"So you were Santa at the Big Q?"



"Yeah, for one day.  They asked me never to do that again."



"Who asked you?"

"The manager of the Big Q."

"What happened?"

"Well, there were all these kids."

"There usually are when Santa's around."



"Smartass!  They really got on my nerves after awhile, all that crying and bitching and greed."

"What did you do?" Justin asked knowing that it was not going to be good.



"I'd about had it when this fucking little bastard comes up and plunks himself on my knee.  He had to be at least ten, spawn of Satan, you know the type. He pulls my beard down and sticks his tongue out at me.  I wanted to spank him, and not in a good way, but I restrained myself and asked him what he wanted for Christmas. He told me that he knew I wasn't the real Santa and his parents had already bought all the toys he wanted.  I asked him why he was wasting my time then, and he said that I was a piss poor Santa. I shoved him off my lap and he landed on his fat little ass. He started screaming then, running around the store knocking stuff over and threatening to sue.  The manager gave him some free toys and told me never to come back to his store."

Justin shook his head.  "Only you!"



"What do you mean 'only me'?  It was that little fucker's fault."



"But you could have reacted differently."

"No, I couldn't.  He deserved much worse."



"So did Michael and Debbie tease you?"


"Big time."

"And that's why you won't be Santa and you hate Christmas?"

"I hate Christmas for lots of reasons, but I guess that's one of them."



"I'll do it," Justin said suddenly.



"Do what?"

"I'll play Santa in your place.  You can be my elf."

"Do I look like an elf?"

"If Will Farrell can be an elf, so can you."

"You don't have to do that," Brian said sincerely.



"I don't mind.  It might be fun."

"Fat suit and all?"



"Nobody will know who I am.  I like kids."

"I know you do and I appreciate the offer," Brian said continuing to be amazed by the size of Justin's heart.  "But it's supposed to be the mayor who is Santa."

"I could be the elf if you decide to do it."

"You'd come with me and do that?" Brian asked.



"Of course."

"And you'd keep me from killing any obnoxious little twits?"

"I'll do my best."



Brian thought for a moment.  "Then maybe I could do it."

"And you might even like it," Justin said coming to sit on his knee and give him a kiss.



"Let's not get too far removed from reality," Brian said with a grimace.



"Ah, you're a big softie.  I'll get you to like Christmas yet," Justin said kissing Brian again.  The kiss deepened and they both knew that Santa was going to get laid in just a moment or two.



                                                             -----



When Brian told Geoffrey that he was going to play Santa, he did not appreciate the knowing grin that appeared on his protocol officer's face.



"What are you grinning at?" he asked testily.  "Oh, let me guess, you and Emmett are fucking like rabbits and you can't wipe the grin off your face?"



Geoffrey blushed from the top of his head to the tips of his toes.  Brian couldn't see his toes, but he was sure that they would be scarlet too.



Geoffrey cleared his throat but couldn't meet Brian's gaze.  "Um … I don't think that's any of your business."


"It isn't," Brian said immediately regretting putting the man on the spot.  "I shouldn't have been so … forward."

"You're right, you shouldn't!" Geoffrey stated emphatically.  "Have you been talking to Emmett?"

"That was just a lucky guess.  I haven't seen Emmett since the party," Brian admitted.  "I'm … glad that you two have found each other," Brian added and he meant that.  He liked Emmett and hated how Ted had treated him. If Emmett and Geoffrey could be happy together, then good for them.



"We're going out tonight," Geoffrey said wanting to share his excitement and happiness with someone.



"That's great, Geoffrey.  Be nice to him," Brian said and immediately regretted saying that.



"I understand he and Ted had a pretty rough time."

"They did."

"I won't hurt him," Geoffrey stated.  "I … like him … a lot. And … I want to thank you for introducing us."

"I think he found you before I got to introduce you," Brian added quickly.  He didn't want credit or thanks.



Geoffrey cleared his throat and decided that they were both sufficiently embarrassed so he should change the subject.  "I'll send up the tailor with the Santa suit for your fitting."

"A fitting?" Brian asked.  "You've got to be kidding."

"We want you to look good," Geoffrey said with a smirk as he started towards the door.  The last thing he heard before he closed it behind him was, "Fuck!"



                                                               -----



Brian sat on the big chair in the lobby of City Hall.  He adjusted the big belly stuffed beneath his Santa suit, took the next present and called the name that was on the tag.  A cute little girl named Millie came forward. Brian lifted her onto his knee.



"I love you, Santa," she said and put her arms around Brian's neck.



Brian kissed the top of her head and saw Justin smiling at him.  Justin was dressed as the most delectable elf that Brian had ever seen.  His tights did positively obscene things to his ass and were filled out so alluringly by his well endowed package.  Brian shifted uncomfortably as he set Millie down. He needed to concentrate on his job, not Justin's ass.



Justin handed him the next package and he called, "Jason Mathers."



A boy about ten walked towards him and he immediately flashed back to the little asshole at the Big Q.  He stifled a groan and steeled himself to withstand whatever this boy might do.



"Hi, Santa," Jason said.



"Hi, Jason.  I don't suppose you want to sit on my knee."

"No thanks.  I'm too big for that."

"I thought so.  How be I shake your hand and your parents can get their picture."

"Thanks, Santa."  Jason shook Brian's hand while his parents snapped their photo.  Brian gave the boy his present and he walked back to his seat. Brian heaved a sigh of relief.  So far the kids had been great, polite and appreciative.



"You're doing a great job, Brian," Justin said as he handed him the next present.



"Think I've found my true calling in life?" Brian asked.  Justin could tell there was a smirk under the beard.



"I don't know if I'd go quite that far," Justin said with a grin.  He knew Brian probably wanted to stick his tongue out at him, but the man refrained himself and called the next name.



The rest of the kids came forward and got their present and a picture with Santa Mayor.  They all must have been forewarned to behave themselves because there were no really obnoxious children at all.  There were a couple of babies that cried when they were handed to Brian. He looked like he wanted to drop them and run, but Justin stepped in and held a rattle over them or made a face or hummed a little tune and they calmed down while their picture was taken.



Brian had no idea how many families would be there.  As they approached what had to be the hundredth child, Justin could see his patience beginning to wear out.  The little girl who was next was very good and gave Santa a kiss. As she stepped down to her parents, Justin whispered, "Three more."  Brian smiled gratefully. He handed out the next two gifts to a pair of twins who thanked him and smiled angelically.



"One more," Justin grinned, handing him the last present.



Brian read the name and smiled.  "Gus Marcus-Peterson," he called.



Gus ran up and climbed onto Santa's knee.  He threw his arms around Brian's neck. "Daddy Santa," he cooed in Brian's ear.



"Have you been a good boy, Gus?" Brian asked.



Gus nodded.  "I love you, Daddy" he said.



"I love you too, Sonny Boy," Brian whispered in his ear.  Gus giggled as Brian's breath tickled his ear.



Melanie was filming the encounter and Lindsay stood off to the side waiting for her son.



"Ladies and gentlemen," Brian said standing up and still holding his son, "and all the good little boys and girls that have attended our party today, I hope you have enjoyed yourselves.  I want to thank you for your hard work on behalf of the city of Pittsburgh, and wish you all the very best Christmas."



There was a round of applause and then Brian stepped down and handed Gus back to his mother.



People began to get up and retrieve their coats.  As they made their way out of City Hall most of them came over to Brian to say what a great job he had done as Santa and to thank him for his efforts.  Brian and Justin stood side by side talking to people and wishing them happy holidays.



As the last few made their way out, Brian sighed.  "I'm glad that's over."



"I am so proud of you," Justin said smiling at him.



"I am so horny," Brian whispered back.  "Every time you bent over to pick up a present I wanted to ram my cock up that beautiful ass of yours."

"Did you notice how it was always turned in your direction?"

Brian frowned.  "You little shit!"



"I had to keep you entertained somehow.  We couldn't have any murdered children at the end of the party," Justin chuckled.



"I didn't get angry once."

"I know.  I'm amazed and relieved."

"Can we go home now?" Brian asked leering lustfully at Justin's crotch.



"Say goodbye to your son like a good little boy, and elfie will take you home."

"Thanks, elfie."  Brian took Gus from Lindsay and gave the boy a kiss.  "I'll see you tomorrow for Christmas, Sonny Boy."



"Are you wearing the costume?" Melanie asked with a smirk.



"No!" Brian replied emphatically.  "I've had enough of this thing."

"You did a good job, Brian," Lindsay told him.  "I'm proud of you." She glared at Melanie warning her not to say anything bad about Brian and his role of Santa.



"Bye, Daddy Santa," Melanie said as Lindsay dragged her and Gus away.



"Let's get the fuck out of here?  Do you see the limo?" Brian asked peering out the door.



"Down the block," Justin said.  "Shall we walk or call Chuck on the cell?"



"Oh, fuck," Brian said.  "I'm getting used to this suit.  Let's walk. Maybe I'll pick up a reindeer along the way."



Justin giggled as he leaned into Brian.  They quickly made their way to the limo and Chuck pulled away.  Brian's hand found its way to Justin's crotch and squeezed. Justin moaned and let his head fall back against the seat.



"I'm tired," Justin admitted.  "You must be tired too."

"Not too tired," Brian said stroking Justin's cock through his tights.



"So I see," Justin said taking hold of Brian's hand and stopping the motion.  "Let's wait till we get home."

"Okay," Brian agreed.  "Once I get you on that bed I'm not letting you up until Christmas dinner tomorrow."



"Promises, promises," Justin giggled.



"Count on it."

"We have to get up and open our presents."

"I already have my present," Brian said.



"What present?  Have you been peeking?" Justin asked annoyed if that's what Brian had done.



"No, I haven't been peeking.  I got my present a long time ago when you walked into my office that night and told me that I should take you back."  Brian smiled at his partner.

Justin's sunshine smile filled the back of the limo.  "Did you have too much eggnog at the party?" Justin asked with a giggle of pure pleasure.


"No, and I mean it.  You are the best present I could ever get, and today you even managed to give me some Christmas spirit."



Justin's smile got even bigger and more radiant before he was crushed in Brian's arms.  "It's going to be the best Christmas ever," Justin thought as his lips found Brian's.

Chapter 34 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 34 *

The holidays were over finally.  Brian turned in the bed and looked down at the sleeping Justin.  He smiled a little bit. He would have never made it through all the holiday phoniness without Justin's help. All the parties and cocktail hours and charity events and religious functions and God knows what else.  Justin was there with him at each fucking one, holding his hand and giving off an invisible cloak of strength that seemed to surround them both and protect him from all the horrible things that he had expected at these do's.



Brian leaned over and kissed the side of Justin's face.  The boy squirmed a bit in his sleep. Brian wanted to pull him into his arms and tell him how much he appreciated everything that he had done over the past weeks.  But he didn't want to interrupt the blond's well earned rest.



Brian took in a breath.  Sometimes the feelings overwhelmed him.  He couldn't believe what was happening to him.  He knew he wanted Justin around, knew how much he needed the blond in his bed and in his life.  When he had asked Justin to be his partner and embark on the often treacherous road of politics, he had wanted Justin to be there, to share things with him.  But he had never expected that Justin would turn out to be the strong one, his rock and his anchor when he needed it so desperately.



Justin Taylor was one amazing young man.  Brian ran his fingers down the side of Justin's cheek and across the full lips.  He was so beautiful and so open and so trusting and so … wonderful, despite everything he had been through.



Brian drew his hand away as Justin shifted again.  Brian continued to stare at his partner. Suddenly he tossed back the covers and got up.  He needed to get real. He was becoming some sort of sentimental wuss and there was no room in his life for that, especially now.  He walked down into the living room and looked around the loft.



His eyes fell on Justin's desk in the alcove.  It was a mess littered with sketchbooks and pencils and textbooks and a million other things all in a heap.  Brian grinned. He would never convert Justin into a neat freak like he was. He had pretty much given up trying.  Brian knew that Justin was the opposite of his anal retentive personality. Maybe that was what made them so good together.  Opposites attracted, so they say, and filled in the gaps in the personality of the other one. Justin certainly did that.



Brian thought about how his life had changed since he had met Justin.  It had been a strange and often scary ride for them. Somehow though, he wouldn't change much of it.  The bashing certainly. If he could have spared Justin that he would have. But he also knew that if the bashing had not happened their lives would have been much different.  After his grand gesture at the prom, the dance and the kiss, he was going to say things to Justin that he knew he would never say to another human being. But that had been folly.  A baseball bat connecting with Justin's head had shown him the error of his ways. He wanted to say those same things to his partner now, but he was afraid. Actions like that, and words, especially words like that … coming from him, always resulted in terrible consequences.



He should leave well enough alone.  He knew he should, but he wanted more.  Justin had made him want more. He thought about Justin in his elf suit at Christmas bending over and wagging his bum at him again and again, keeping him sane while he talked to child after child at the Christmas party.  He thought about Justin in his tux, looking like a million dollars at the inaugural, and their dance to make up for the one he couldn't remember.



Brian reached for the bottle of Beam on the bar cart.  He needed to steady his nerves. He had to push these stupid, useless, painful, wonderful thoughts out of his head.  He raised the bottle to his lips.



"Brian," Justin said from the top of the steps.



Brian stopped the movement of the bottle and turned to look at Justin.  "Go back to bed," he ordered.



"What's wrong?  Why are you up? Why are you drinking?"

"I'm not drinking.  You stopped me," Brian said sarcastically.



"Good.  Put the bottle down and come back to bed."



Brian grimaced.  "I'll drink if I want too," he replied belligerently.



"What's going on?" Justin asked in bewilderment.  "We were so close, so together before I fell asleep."

Brian knew that was true.  He had never felt closer to Justin.  "Times change," Brian said enigmatically.



"What happened?"



"Nothing happened, Justin," Brian said wearily.  "Go back to bed."

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what's made you so sad."

"I … I'm not sad.  I don't do sad," Brian said carefully.



"Oh, that's right.  How stupid of me! You don't do sad.  You don't do Christmas. You don't do communication.  What was I thinking?"

Justin turned around and started back up the steps.



"Wait," Brian said suddenly.



Justin turned to look at him.  "Brian, don't stop me if you have no intention of talking to me about what's going on with you."

"I want to," Brian said slowly.

"Want to what?"



"Talk to you about it."

"About what?"



Brian ran his fingers through his hair and sucked in his lips.  "Do you remember anything about the prom?"



"What?"  That was not at all what Justin had expected.



"You heard me."

"I … I've told you that I don't."



"I just wondered if anything had come back to you … especially after our dance at the inaugural."

Justin shook his head.  "I'm sorry, but no."

"That's not your fault.  You don't have to be sorry."

"I wish I could remember.  You know that, don't you?"



Brian nodded.  "I know."

"Is that what you were thinking about down here?  Is that why you were drinking?"

"I wasn't drinking.  I never even got a sip.  You caught me first."

"My timing as always was impeccable," Justin grinned hoping to cheer Brian up.



"Yeah," Brian agreed.  "Like the night I found you.  A minute or two more of that guy sucking my cock and I probably would have missed you."



"That's a comforting thought," Justin stated flatly.



Brian snorted.  "He was totally pathetic."



"Lucky for me."


"No, lucky for me," Brian said sincerely.



Justin stared at Brian trying to gauge what was going on in the man's head.  "Is something wrong?" he asked.



"I don't know."

"Brian … tell me what's happening."

"I don't think I can."

"Is that because you don't want to?"

"No, it's because I don't know how.  I'm worried."

"Worried?  About what?"

"About how you make me feel."



"How do I make you feel?"

Brian sighed.  This was exactly the discussion that he didn't want to get into.  "I feel things that I never thought I would," Brian said softly.



"That's great," Justin said with a warm smile.



"No, no it's not."

"Why not?"



"Because bad things happen when I feel like this."

"Bad things?  What are you talking about?"

"The prom … the bashing."



"Were you feeling … these things the night of the prom?" Justin asked hoping Brian might finally tell him about that night.



"Yes," said so softly that Justin wasn't really sure he had heard it.



"What were you feeling?"  Justin waited hoping that Brian might finally give him some much needed answers.



"I wanted you so bad," Brian admitted.  "I was … telling the world that when I went to the prom."

"You were?" Justin asked, the breath suddenly knocked from his body.  He saw Brian nod imperceptibly.



"You were so handsome and sexy in your tux.  You took my breath away."



Justin knew he was blushing.  He was glad the apartment was still mostly in darkness, the only light coming from the streetlights glowing through the windows.  "And how did you look?" Justin asked.



"Fabulous!" Brian said quickly and gave a little chuckle.



Justin smiled.  "You always look fabulous."



"Yeah," Brian said with a scoff.



"What else were you feeling that night?" Justin asked to get Brian back on track.



Brian stared up at him in the darkness and Justin held his breath.  "It doesn't matter now," Brian finally said.



"Yes, it does.  It matters to me, and I don't think we'd be standing here in the dark in the middle of the night if it didn't matter to you."

Justin heard Brian let out a breath.  He decided he needed to be closer to his partner and moved down the steps.  He saw Brian take a step away from him, but he refused to be deterred. He came up next to Brian and put his arms around Brian's slender waist.  He rested his head against Brian's strong chest so that the man didn't have to look at him.



"Tell me," Justin whispered.



There was a long silence and Justin began to think Brian would not say anything more.  Justin's arms stayed around Brian's body and he breathed in unison with the man. He could feel Brian's heart pounding against his face.  He waited.



"I wanted you to know that I would do anything for you … even go to a fucking teenage prom.  I didn't care that I probably looked like a fool."



"You never look like a fool.  I'm sure everyone was jealous."

"Yeah, right," Brian scoffed.



"Go on, please," Justin requested.  He didn't want Brian to stop now.



"After I walked into that room, I saw only you.  I barely spoke to Daphne … only after I realized that she was feeling strange about me taking you away from her."



Justin looked up at Brian.  He had been told by Daphne and Brian both how he told her that she looked beautiful, that he would fuck her.  He wondered if Brian really knew what he had said.



"I looked into your eyes and I knew there was no one else in the world for me except you."



"Why haven't you ever told me this before?" Justin had to ask.  "Did you tell me that at the prom?"

"No, but I was going to when you came to the loft … later."

"But there was no later," Justin said sadly.



"No, no later," Brian whispered.



"Why didn't you ever tell me what was going on in your head and in your heart that night?" Justin whispered to Brian's chest.  He didn't think they could bear to look at each other at that moment.



Justin felt a shudder ripple through Brian's body.  "I kept hoping that you would remember that night … that you would know."

"Is that why it was so important to you … for me to remember?"



"Yes.  And …"



"And?"



"And I could never come to terms with the consequences of those actions … and those feelings."



"So what was going on tonight?" Justin asked softly.



"Some of the same feelings.  I was thinking about how strong and supportive you were through all of this holiday shit.  I know you deserve better than I give you. I take you for granted…" Brian's voice trailed off.



"You can take me for granted all you want.  I love being here with you. I'm proud to be your partner.  I like my life."

"That's the problem," Brian said softly.



"Problem?"

"You let me off the hook too easily.  I shouldn't take you for granted. You're very … special."

"I am?"



"You are."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."


"This sounds a bit like an Abbott and Costello comedy routine all of a sudden."


"It does?" Brian asked.



"Just a bit."

"Should we record it?"

"I wish.  Nobody would ever believe it happened otherwise," Justin said.



"You included?"

"I believe it.  I always knew it."

"But I never say it."



"You're saying it now."



"I should have said it when you asked me to … before."

"Umm…" Justin mumbled.  He didn't know how to answer that.  He knew he would never have gone with Ethan if Brian had said even one part of what he was saying now.



"I wasn't ready then.  I'm still not," Brian admitted.  "I think that something bad will follow."



"Let's not worry about that," Justin said.  "You've made me very happy tonight. I want to savor that."

"I have?"



Justin looked up to see a puzzled look on Brian's face.  "Don't you believe me?" Justin asked.



"I believe you, but I thought you'd be upset that we wasted all that time," Brian said.  "That I was too much of a coward back then to say what you wanted to hear … what we both knew was true."

"It wasn't a waste, Brian.  I think that time apart taught me a lot about who I am and what I want from life."

"And what do you want?" Brian asked resting his chin on the top of Justin's head.


"You."

"Me?"



"Only you."

"Fucked up, uncommunicative, arrogant asshole that I am?"



"Yes."

"You're so easy."

"Lucky for you."

"Very lucky for me," Brian admitted.  "And all I want is you."



"Naïf, gullible jerk that I am?"



"Yes.  It's especially the gullible part that I love," Brian said and then Justin felt him tense up as they both realized what he had said.



"I love you too, asshole," Justin said trying to lighten the moment.  "Let's go back to bed. I'm freezing."

"Me too."



Arms linked around each other they walked up the steps.  Brian gently laid them down on the bed and began kissing Justin long and passionately.  The tenderness that they shared was something new, like they had reached a new understanding and a new level of being together.



Caresses and kisses and soft moans soon gave way to more urgent cries.  When Brian finally entered his lover he had never felt so much intensity.  They were one and no one was going to break them apart again. He kissed Justin again and again as they rode the waves of passion.  Justin understood what Brian was telling him, and he hoped Brian understood what he was saying in response.



The passion built until each of them cried out the other's name and they collapsed in a heap of exhausted flesh, each experiencing more emotion than they thought possible.


Brian opened his eyes and looked at Justin's beautiful flushed face beneath him.  He kissed the boy's lips and felt him mold his body to his own. He loved this man beyond all reason.



"I love you," he whispered tears in his eyes.



"I know, Brian.  I love you too."



They curled into each other's arms wrapped around each other with fingers entwined.



"I meant everything I said," Brian whispered.  "In case I forget to tell you again."

"I know, but I'll remind you," Justin said softly.



"Good," Brian whispered as they drifted off to sleep.



Chapter 35 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 35 *

The temperature was expected to hit four below. Geoffrey handed Brian the report about the low temperatures anticipated over the next few days.

"What? Am I supposed to have control over the fucking climate now?" Brian asked with some exasperation.

Geoffrey sighed audibly and in a very annoying manner. "It's about the homeless. These kinds of temperatures can mean death for them."

"Oh," Brian responded feeling like a bit of a fool. "I didn't realize…"

"Most people don't."

"Are there any contingency plans that can be implemented?"

"All of the aid organizations make extra beds and mats available, but there are still those who will refuse to come in."

"Refuse … why?"

"Some of these people are not functioning in reality. They think the world is out to get them and they're afraid to go to the shelters. They think their belongings will be stolen or someone will kill them in their sleep. And they're not always wrong."

"Fuck! What kind of world do we live in?"

"Good question to which the only answer is … this one, fucked up as it may be."

"So what can we do?" Brian went into action mode or as Justin and Michael might call it, Rage mode.

"Even if all the agencies open all their beds, they'll still be turning people away who do want in."

"There aren't enough spaces? How the fuck many people are we talking about?"

"City wide … hundreds, maybe thousands."

"Jesus Christ!"

"If only He would do something about it."

"Are we relying on divine intervention now?" Brian said sarcastically.

Geoffrey shook his head. "There's not a lot we can do except maybe open some municipal buildings as shelters until this cold snap is over."

"What buildings?"

"There are the arenas," Geoffrey said.

"Do it," Brian commanded. "Make the arrangements. Even if there are no beds, open them up so the street people can come in out of the freezing cold."

"I'll contact the arenas. I should also let the media know. You could make a statement on television and radio telling these people where they can get shelter."

"Check what arenas we can pull into service, and then I'll make whatever announcements are necessary."

Geoffrey nodded and headed for the door.

"Geoffrey," Brian said, "is Adam still working in your buildings?"

"Yes," Geoffrey said with a frown. "Why?"

"Have you got his number?"

"Sure," Geoffrey said taking out his planner and looking for the number. "Why do you want it?"

"I need to speak to him about something."

Geoffrey knew from past experience that he wasn't going to get any more out of Brian. He left after he gave the number to Brian.

-----

At four pm Brian held a press conference that would be broadcast on both television and radio. Beside him at the podium stood Adam Pritchard, the former homeless man who Brian had helped to get back on his feet.

Brian began with a simple statement about the hazardous weather conditions that were expected that night. He said that all available beds would be open to the homeless and additional spaces would be added wherever possible. He pleaded with all street people to find a warm spot. He then introduced Adam and explained how they had met. He asked Adam to say a few words.

Adam stood before the mike and began, "Tonight and every night now I have a warm apartment and a bed to sleep in. I used to be one of those people that you avoided on the street, but thanks to the help of Mayor Kinney and many others, I have turned my life around. Brian, Mayor Kinney, asked me to speak to the homeless today. He thought maybe I could get through to those who might decide that the shelters were unsafe. I don't know if I can reach you all, but I want you to know that he has opened the local arenas around the city. There won't be any beds there, but you will be able to go inside and get warm. You can get a cup of soup or coffee, and if you want to lay your bedroll down in there, you will be able to. We don't want anybody to freeze to death tonight or over the next few days when the temperatures are going to be so low. Mayor Kinney is a good man. He helped me and he'll help you if you'll let him."

Adam stepped back. Brian replaced him at the microphone.

"Thank you, Adam. I hope with your help that nobody will feel they have to stay on the streets tonight. Here's the list of the arenas that will be open. If you can't get to one, go to a local shelter and they will call us. We'll see that you can come in from the cold."

The list of open arenas ran below Brian as he read the names. He hoped this would be enough.

When they ended the press conference Brian turned to Adam. "Do you think that will reach them?"

"It will help," Adam said, "but there are no guarantees. Some of the people who need to hear this may not have access to the media. And some may still decide to chance it and stay outside."

"I don't know what else we can do."

"There isn't really anything else you can do," Adam admitted. "The world is just too fucked up for some of these people."

"Thanks for coming and doing this," Brian said shaking his hand.

"I'll do anything you think might help."

"It's appreciated, Adam."

-----

Chuck drove Brian home after the press conference. Brian entered the loft appreciating maybe for the first time how truly lucky he was. He had had his fair share of problems growing up but he had never had to go hungry and cold, mostly thanks to Debbie. He owed that lady big time.

Justin would be home shortly so Brian decided he would do the cooking to give Justin a break. He searched the fridge and decided that omelets were the best he could manage with what they had. He chopped and organized everything so that he could throw it together as soon as they were ready to eat.

When he had all that done, he walked over to the sofa and sat down. He flicked on the TV news just in time to see Adam making his plea at the press conference. He judged Adam's words critically and decided that the man had made an impassioned speech that might bring a few more people in out of the cold. He hoped they would listen.

Next was the part of the conference where he gave the list of open buildings. He looked at himself critically as he had with Adam. On the outside he looked much the same as he always had since he had started working in advertising. But on the inside, he knew a lot had changed. He was able to show his concern for the less fortunate in the world. Until the last year or so he would have denied their existence, would have denied that he cared, saying they weren't worth consideration. Even then he hadn't really believed that, but he could never let on that he had a different attitude. Any beliefs, anything he did to help people had to stay secret. He couldn't allow his soft heart to be seen by anyone. He had a certain persona to maintain and protect.

He shook his head. All that had changed, or most of it had changed. There he was on the TV making a request for homeless people to find shelter so that they didn't freeze to death. He wondered what his friends would think of that, but he really didn't care. There was only one person whose opinion mattered, and he'd be home soon. He knew Justin would be proud of him.

He thought back over the progression of events that had led to him running for mayor. Sometimes he couldn't believe that he had agreed to run, and the fact that he actually won still blew his mind. He hoped he had made a good mayor so far. He still had a year to serve.

Serve! That word made him smile. Here was Brian fucking Kinney serving the public. He had always thought that the only serving he would ever do was when he serviced all the willing men he encountered at Woody's or Babylon or anywhere else. He had always been ready to let them serve him too.

How times had changed! And it was all because of a certain blond twink, a blond boy ass as he had called him once long ago. Even then that description of Justin hadn't been accurate. He had used it to push Justin away, to keep his neat, semi-orderly life intact, and put the pushy blond in his place. Fortunately Justin had known his place almost from the outset, and it was by Brian's side. He was thankful that his little blond fuck-buddy had refused to accept that role. He had demanded more. He had demanded so much more of Brian. Brian had fought him, but he had known it was a losing battle, and now he wondered why he had fought it at all.

The loft door slid back and the object of his musings breezed in dropping his portfolio and heading to the kitchen.

"Hey, blondie," Brian said with a smirk.

Justin jumped about two feet. "Fuck, Brian! What are you doing, trying to give me a heart attack? Why are you home so early?"

"Surprise!" Brian said with a grin.

Justin giggled. "I hope it's a nice surprise," he said with a smile.

"I'm making you dinner," Brian stated proudly getting up from the sofa.

"You are?" Justin asked in amazement. "What brought this on?"

Brian kissed Justin softly as he arrived next to his lover, his conscience, his everything. "You deserve it."

"I do?"

"Um hmm."

"If you say so."

"I do. Now go wash up and I'll start the omelets."

"Yes, sir," Justin said with a smile. He retrieved his portfolio and carried it over to the desk. "I saw you on television this afternoon," Justin said suddenly.

"Where?"

"They had it on in the common room at IFA. Is it really so hard to get the street people to use the shelters?"

"Apparently so. I don't want anyone dying on my watch."

"Adam looked good. He seems to have got it all together,"

"Yeah, I'm pleased for him. What did you think of the other guy at the news conference?"

"You mean the tall one?" Justin said with a grin. "I thought he was pretty sexy."

"Good answer."

"And I thought he was a very caring and compassionate man, someone that I could spend my life with."

Brian stared at Justin and didn't say anything. Justin knew Brian didn't like declarations like that. Brian would have been happy if Justin had stopped at the sexy part, but he didn't care. He wanted Brian to know how much he loved him and appreciated all the great things he had undertaken as mayor.

"Didn't I tell you to wash up, little boy?" Brian asked with a grin.

"Yes, daddy," Justin responded and then beat a hasty retreat to the bathroom before Brian could smack him or pinch him for his insolence.

-----

The next day Brian had a meeting with Geoffrey about the cold and the homeless. To his relief Geoffrey reported that there had been complete capacity at all the usual shelters. Each arena that had opened its doors had had a complement of homeless who made use of it. The temperature tonight was to be similar, so the same plans would be instituted once again.

Brian went about his daily activities without thinking much about the homeless situation. About two o'clock that was all to change when Cynthia buzzed him.

"Yeah," Brian responded.

"Brian, I…"

Brian knew immediately something was wrong. Cynthia was a straight shooter. She never hesitated or beat around the bush. "What's wrong?" Brian asked.

"I have the radio tuned to music out here. They just interrupted to say that the police had found a homeless woman under one of the bridges … frozen to death."

As soon as Cynthia had started that statement Brian knew the end of it was going to be something he didn't want to hear. "Fuck!" was all he managed to get out. He felt his throat constrict. How could this have happened? He hadn't done enough.

"Are you still there, Boss?" Cynthia asked as the silence seemed to go on endlessly after the one word response.

"I'm here … but I fucking wish I wasn't."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Get me Geoffrey," Brian said and cut the connection. He didn't want to speak to anyone, but Geoffrey would probably know how to handle this. He handled everything else.

Brian paced his office waiting for Geoffrey to arrive. Finally the tap at his office door signaled that Geoffrey was there.

"I heard," Geoffrey said as he closed the door behind him.

"What the fuck happened? I thought we did everything to prevent something like this."

"We did."

"Fucking lot of good it did."

Geoffrey shook his head. "Some things are beyond our control."

"I'm supposed to be in control of this city. This was not, I repeat not, supposed to happen."

"We can hold a press conference and state that this woman refused to come out of the cold," Geoffrey suggested.

"Do we even know that that is what happened? Maybe she didn't know there was help."

"I can't answer that."

"Do we even know her name?" Brian asked remembering Dumpster Boy and Debbie's search for a name for him.

Geoffrey shook his head. "I'm sure the police are looking into it."

"Come back when you have some answers," Brian stated flatly as he opened the door to his office indicating that Geoffrey should leave.

"We should make a public statement," Geoffrey said. "Give our spin on it before the news stations start speculating.

"I thought you were better than that," Brian said sadly. "I'm not saying anything until I know who she was and what happened to her. Is that understood?"

"But we should…?"

The look on Brian's face stopped Geoffrey mid sentence. He turned abruptly and left the office hoping some of his contacts at the police department could provide the answers the mayor wanted before it was too late to diffuse this situation.

Brian slumped down in the chair behind his desk. He had failed the most vulnerable of his citizens. He had let that poor woman die alone and cold. How could he ever make that right?

-----

A few hours later Brian stood in front of the press. He knew this would make the eleven o'clock news. Brian read the statement that Geoffrey and Cynthia had prepared for him. In it was the name of the dead, frozen, and soon to be forgotten woman, Angela Dubkowski, former mental patient, now getting her fifteen minutes of fame the hard way.

When Brian completed his prepared statement, questions were fired at him from the press gallery. Only one caught his ear, because it was the same one he had been asking himself all day.

"Why did this woman have to die?"

Brian glared out at the audience. He knew he should have some glib or sincere answer. All the clichés about the mentally ill and fear and falling through the cracks ran through his head. None of them made it to his tongue.

He stared at the audience and finally stated. "I don't know why she died. I'm sorry that she did." He abruptly stepped down from the podium and made his way back to his office.

He grabbed his coat and went out into the reception area. Cynthia saw him and came over to him as he stood in front of the elevators.

"Did the press conference go all right?" she asked.

He stared at the doors refusing to answer and willing them to open.

Cynthia took that as a "no". "Have you called for Chuck to pick you up?"

Brian said nothing as the elevator doors opened.

"Good night, Boss," she said as his impassive face disappeared behind the closing doors.

Brian rode the elevator to the lobby. He hadn't called for the limo. He didn't want to deal with anybody. He didn't want their sympathy. Why should he get sympathy? Where were they when Angela needed it? He didn't want their criticism. He had done everything he could to prevent this from happening, but obviously he hadn't done enough.

He caught a cab which had just dropped someone off at City Hall. He wanted to go to the baths and fuck himself into oblivion, but he could see the headlines the next day if he did. He gave the driver a name and they left City Hall, and all it implied, behind.

Chapter 36 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 36 *

Brian awoke to murky darkness. His head was pounding and he felt like crap. He glanced at the nightstand looking for the time. A red digital clock showed 4:51. It wasn't his clock. He sat up a bit looking around. Where was he?

Slowly things began to gel in his foggy brain. He had told the taxi driver to take him to a hotel downtown. He had checked in after being cruised by one of the bellhops. The guy was short and sort of muscular, not bad looking, but nothing to rave about. Brian had no bags so he had nodded to the bellhop indicating his interest. They had a fleeting conversation before Brian got on the elevator.

Brian gave him his room number. The bellhop got off work at ten and was eager to join Brian when he did. As an afterthought Brian gave the guy fifty bucks and told him to get a couple of bottles of Beam. He was to bring them up to Brian's room as soon as he got them.

The man arrived fifteen minutes later. Brian let him in. He opened the first bottle and chugged back about a quarter of it. The liquor hit him like a sledgehammer. He was getting out of the habit of drinking. He would rectify that oversight immediately.

The bellhop hung by the door looking longingly at Brian. Brian was tempted to tell him to get lost while he got plastered. Instead, his other pain management technique kicked in. With a jerk of his head he signaled the man to come closer. He grabbed the guy's package and squeezed. The man let out a moan and tried to kiss Brian. Brian pulled back and pushed the man to his knees. The man immediately understood his place and unzipped Brian's trousers.

The blowjob was nothing to write home about but it served the purpose. Brian told the guy to get lost until he was through work. If he came back then, he better be prepared for one hell of a workout. Brian had seen the flicker of lust and also of fear pass across the man's face. He knew he would be back. They always came at his beckoning.

Brian flung his arm out to the side and it brushed against something. Fuck! The trick was still there. He had been pretty drunk when the guy had finally arrived after work. That just meant that it slowed things down a little. He had fucked the guy at least three times that he could remember. He wasn't sure how many times he had made him suck him off. It didn't matter. The trick had served his purpose and he should have been long gone. Brian reached over and gave the guy a shove. He heard a groan in response. He shoved again.

"Are you up for another go?" the man asked.

Brian felt his cock twitch at the invitation. He could always get it up when there was a ready hole to plant it in.

"Get out," he said without any emotion in his voice.

"What?" the man asked rubbing his eyes.

"I said … get out!" Brian said forcefully.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean get your clothes on and fucking leave," Brian spat out.

"But why? I can go again if you want."

"I knew you weren't the brightest bulb in the hallway, but I didn't think you were fucking dense. Get the fuck out!" Brian punctuated each word.

The bellhop grabbed his clothes mumbling something about assholes who had more money than brains. When he reached the door he turned back to Brian and shouted, "Fuck you!" as he slammed out of the room.

"Not in this lifetime," Brian mumbled and closed his eyes.

It would be dawn in a couple of hours. What was he going to do? He knew he didn't want to go to work. He was never going back there. If his decisions caused people to die then he was through. They didn't really need him anyway. Geoffrey and Cynthia could run the city perfectly well without him. He was the speech maker but they wrote the speeches. They knew which policies were good ones. Who the fuck was he kidding thinking that he could make a difference?

He grabbed the second bottle of Beam. The first one was long gone. He drank hungrily. It would work its magic and he could fall into senseless oblivion. That was what he needed right now.

A few more drinks and he began to feel the numbness that he had been seeking. He was almost there. Peace. Then it all shattered around him. He thought of Justin, probably up all night wondering where the fuck he was … and worrying. Brian felt his dick harden as he thought of the beautiful blond waiting for him at home. He groaned and took another drink. He could blank that out too.

The next time Brian woke there was light in the room coming through a crack in the drapes. He glanced at the clock. It was just after ten am.

Brian rolled over and immediately regretted that action. His head throbbed dully and he reached for the remains of the bottle of Beam. He took a swig mumbling, "Hair of the dog," to the empty room. He felt the liquor course through his system and he felt a little better.

He really was an alcoholic just like dear old dad. Up to now he had had enough willpower to refuse to let the liquor take over completely, but he didn't want to fight it anymore. Booze was his friend, at the moment his only friend.

He drank a few more mouthfuls, closing his eyes and hoping to find alcoholic oblivion once more.

-----

Justin paced the loft. He had tried to sit down and wait patiently but that was impossible. He had been awake all night and was running entirely on nervous energy. He didn't know what had happened to Brian, but he knew instinctively that it was something bad. Brian had not come home. He had always come home before. Ever since their stupid rule about the three am. curfew they had both pretty much adhered to that time for being home. He had no idea what might have happened to Brian. That wasn't really true. He had an idea what might have happened to Brian, but he didn't want to believe that the man had run away from the death of the homeless woman, from his job, from their life together, from him.

Justin had called the mayor's office at eight o'clock only to get a recording indicating that the office was closed. He had been puzzled by that, but thought maybe Brian had had an evening meeting or commitment that he had forgotten to tell him about. He had tried Brian's cell but it was shut off, maybe meaning that Brian was someplace that he couldn't use the phone.

He had called Chuck at ten o'clock wondering what was still keeping Brian away. He had expected the mayor home for dinner. Dinner time had long since come and passed and yet there was no sign of him. It wasn't like Brian to not let him know what he was doing. Chuck had gone home thinking that the mayor was working late and would call if he wanted the limo.

That's when Justin had started to worry. He called Cynthia and Geoffrey who both said they hadn't seen Brian since the press conference. They had just assumed that he had gone home.

Justin had then called Chuck and asked him to check around and see if anybody had seen Brian. He was waiting for Chuck to call with what he had found out.

Justin knew that Brian must be hurting. Nobody really understood how deeply Brian felt things. Even Brian found it hard to acknowledge the depths of his emotions. The death of that woman would cause him severe pain. Justin understood that Brian would somehow take it as a personal failure on his part. He would feel the loss and have to deal with the pain as best he could.

All the old pain management techniques that Brian had employed before he met Justin might be kicking back in. Justin sighed. He imagined Brian lying somewhere drunk and hurting, maybe with a trick. Sex had always been a huge part of Brian's pain obliteration. If he could feel the pleasure of having his dick sucked, it blotted out the hurt for that small period of time. If he got his dick sucked often enough, he might be able to forget what had driven him to this in the first place.

Justin frowned not liking the idea or the unwanted image of Brian with someone else, fucking someone else, sucking them, kissing them. He shook his head trying to force that picture out of his brain. He understood on an intellectual basis why that would be what Brian would resort to, but he had hoped since Brian had become mayor and seemingly embraced their relationship, as strange and fucked up and dysfunctional as it might be, that Brian would come to him when something bad happened. He was probably being a naïf little twat to think that, but he had hoped.

He wished Chuck would call. He wished they would find Brian in one piece, not too wasted, and then he would… Justin couldn't complete that statement because he wasn't sure what he could do. He could go to the man, tell him he loved him, make love to him. But would that be enough? He had no idea. This was something big and unknown. They had never really dealt with anything like this, except maybe when he had been bashed, and Brian had had to fend for himself, all alone. He had only an inkling of what Brian must have gone through. Nobody would really talk about it, including Brian.

The phone rang. Chuck reported that he and Phydeau had checked all the usual haunts and found nothing. It was almost dawn and they needed some sleep unless Justin had any other suggestions about where they might look for the mayor.

Justin thought for a moment and then it hit him. "Have you checked the hotels?" he asked.

"You think he checked into a hotel?"

"It's a possibility. He could be holed up in one licking his wounds." Justin knew it would be more than licking his wounds but that seemed as good a way to present the idea to Chuck as any.

"I'll start checking."

"Thanks, Chuck. If you find him call me immediately. Don't confront him. Let me talk to him."

"Sure."

Now all he could do once more was wait. If Brian wasn't in any of the hotels he might have actually left the city. That thought really bothered Justin. He could be anywhere. He might never find him, especially if Brian didn't want to be found.

Waiting was always the hardest thing to deal with. There was nothing to do except speculate about all the possible outcomes and none of them presented a very appetizing picture.

Justin had refrained from calling the usual sources - Michael, Lindsay, even Debbie. He knew that if Brian was in the shape that he suspected, he would want to be alone or with strangers, or tricks. He would not want to deal with friends who would ask him to explain his actions or try to help or offer advice or pity him. All of those things would drive Brian wild.

-----

Justin must have dozed off for awhile because he awoke to bright sunshine streaming through the drapes of the loft. He glanced at the clock on the desk and noted that it was almost nine o'clock. He should be at school. Brian should be at work. The world should be continuing as it always had and it probably was. Only there would be no school for him today. There would be no work for Brian. There would be nothing except worry until he knew where Brian was and could bring him home.

Suddenly the silence of the loft was shattered by the phone. He raced to the desk and picked it up praying that it was Brian or at least Chuck saying he had found Brian.

"Hello," he said hopefully.

"Justin, I didn't expect to get anyone. I was going to leave a message for Brian," Lindsay said in her soft lovely voice, just like everything was right with the world. And it probably was in her world.

"I'm home today," Justin said abruptly. "Do you want me to give Brian a message?"

"Sure, honey. Would you ask him if he'd like to have Gus for the weekend? Mel and I have a chance to go to a little bed and breakfast for the weekend and we could use some time alone."

Justin felt the tears well up. He wished he could promise that he and Brian would take Gus for the weekend, if only he knew where Brian was. He cleared his throat and blinked back the tears. "I'll ask him," he managed to get out.

"Justin, is something wrong?"

Shit! He had alerted her. "No…no, Lindsay, I'm just kind of busy right now. I'll give Brian the message."

He hung up before she could ask any more questions. He knew she would still be wondering what was going on, but he didn't think she'd call back to find out more information.

"Come on, Brian. Please, please, please, call. Please be all right," he whispered hoping that saying the words out loud might actually make them come true.

Moments later the phone rang again. He prayed it wasn't Lindsay calling back. His heart leaped as soon as he heard Chuck's voice.

"Have you found him?" Justin asked hoping against hope.

"He's at the Biltmore. Room 618."

"Thank God," Justin breathed out.

"I spoke to the desk clerk who recognized the description. He was about to go off duty. It was lucky I caught him."

"Did he say if Brian was all right?"

"He hasn't seen anything of him since he checked in. He used John Smith as his name."

Justin chuckled in spite of himself. "And nobody recognized him?"

"Apparently not."

"I'll get down there as soon as I can. Chuck, can you stay and make sure he doesn't leave the hotel before I get there?"

"Sure."

"I'll be there as soon as I can."

Justin grabbed his jacket and ran down the stairs. He raced through the streets of Pittsburgh dodging the remnants of the morning rush hour traffic. Luckily he found a spot to park the Corvette not too far from the Biltmore. He ran the remaining distance to the hotel.

As he entered the lobby, his eyes searched for Chuck. He saw him seated in a chair in the lobby and made his way over to him.

"Thanks for everything, Chuck," he said. "He's still in his room?"

"As far as anybody knows."

"You should go home and get some sleep."

"You look like you could use some too."

"When I get him safely home that will be one of the first things I do." Chuck nodded and started to turn away. "Chuck, I really appreciate everything you've done."

"I know. I hope you can deal with him. I could wait if you want?"

"That isn't a bad idea. I might have to shanghai him to get him home."

"I hope not."

"Me too. You go on home and I'll deal with him."

"Good luck," Chuck said and made his way across the lobby.

Justin took a deep breath. He had no idea what he was going to say to Brian once he confronted him. He walked over to the elevator. He had the time it took to ride up six floors to come up with a plan.

The elevator stopped and Justin got out on the sixth floor. He noted the arrows pointing the direction of the rooms. He followed the one that promised to take him to Room 618. As he approached the door his heart started to pound in his chest. He wondered what he would find when Brian opened the door.

Justin stood in front of the door to Room 618. He raised his hand to knock and dropped it again. He knew he was in for a battle. Brian would be pissed that he had found him. He would probably be drunk or drugged. Worse still there might be a trick in there with him. Justin made a face wondering if he had the courage to face what waited behind that door.

He knocked not too loud, but loud enough to be heard. There was no answer. He knocked harder. Still there was no reply. Justin pounded on the door and then waited. There was no response. He pounded again and shouted, "Brian! Brian! Open up."

He stopped and listened. He thought he could hear some movement behind the door. Suddenly it ceased and he heard nothing more.

He pounded again and yelled, "Brian! It's Justin. I'm not leaving until you open this door and talk to me."

No response came. Justin could hear nothing more.

He yelled again, "I know you're in there, Brian. You might as well open the door because I'm staying here and I'll keep pounding until you do."

Justin heard definite movement behind the door and he held his breath. He heard the lock click as the doorknob was turned. The door opened and Brian stood before him.

"You look like shit," Justin said noting the stubble of beard, the bleary eyes and the slight wavering as Brian held on to the door.

"Did you come all the way down here to tell me that?" Brian asked sarcastically.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Justin demanded stepping forward to get into the room.

Brian's hand came up and pressed against Justin's chest effectively stopping his forward motion.

"What?" Justin asked.

"Go away," Brian said and pushed enough to make Justin take a couple of steps backwards.

"Brian?" Justin asked. "We need to talk."

"No, we don't."

"Yes, we do. I'm coming in."

Brian gave Justin a further shove propelling him back into the hall. "Go home," he ordered.

"Brian, you can't do this. Talk to me. Come home with me. We can work this out."

"Fuck off, Justin!" Brian spat out. He slammed the door and Justin heard the safety lock slide across.

Chapter 37 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 37 *

The slamming of the door was like a physical slap to Justin's face. He took another step backwards and found himself against the wall. He was glad of the support as he half slumped against it.

He couldn't believe that Brian had told him to fuck off and then had slammed the door on him. Brian must be in a worse state than he had thought.

He stepped forward and knocked on the door again. There were no sounds from within.

"Brian," he said. "Brian, please, open the door. I need to talk to you."

He waited hoping Brian would listen. When no sound or movement came from within he tried again.

"Brian, please," he begged. "I want to talk to you. You have to let me in. Don't do this. Don't block everything out, including me. Don't go back to your old ways."

He waited again. Suddenly he heard the lock slide back and saw the knob turn. The door was yanked open. Brian's arm came out grabbing Justin by the wrist and dragging him inside the room. The door slammed shut behind them.

Justin turned to look at Brian. What he saw in front of him sent a shiver of fear up his spine. This was not the Brian he knew and loved. This was a wild man, an animal, a stranger. He had no idea of what to say to this man who looked like his lover, his partner, but who seemed so remote and different from the man in whose arms he had slept only hours before.

"Brian…" Justin began unsure what to say or if he should say anything.

Brian raised his hand to silence him. "You think I'm going to revert to my old methods? Well, Sunshine, you are absolutely fucking right. The only problem is that I've already done that. You're too fucking late to save me from myself this time."

"What … what do you mean?"

"I mean I've drunk two bottles of Beam and fucked the bellhop into next week. I would have fried my brain with drugs but I've let all my contacts lapse and it's not so easy to get the necessary chemicals to do that."

"Brian…"

"You keep saying that. If you don't have anything better to contribute, I suggest you get the fuck out."

Who was this stranger, this cruel man in Brian's body? Justin was truly at a loss. He didn't know what he could do or say, but he knew he had to try.

"I heard about Angela," Justin said staring into Brian's eyes.

Brian's glare faltered at his words. Justin knew that he had hit at the crux of the matter.

"So! Who cares about some fucking homeless woman who didn't have enough common sense to come in out of the fucking cold?"

"You."

Justin heard the little hitch in Brian's breathing and knew that his words had gotten through.

"Just go home, Justin. Leave me alone."

"I can never leave you alone. Don't you know that by now?" Justin asked hoping that a little humor might put Brian in a better frame of mind.

"You think this is fucking funny?" Brian railed.

"No … no, I don't, but…"

"There are no buts. I'm not coming home. I don't want to talk to you or anyone else. I'm staying here."

"But what about your job? You're the mayor."

"Fuck the mayor!"

"I have been … and I will again as soon as he comes home."

"I told you I'm not coming home, so forget it."

"Brian, you can't stay here indefinitely."

"Who says I can't?" Brian demanded belligerently.

"But…"

"Unless you want to suck me off, get lost!"

Brian turned and opened the door indicating that Justin should leave. Even at his worst early in their relationship Brian had never talked to him like this. He had been angry when the apartment was robbed, but even then he hadn't been this mean and crude.

Justin took a few steps toward the door. He turned to look at Brian seeing an emptiness and a coldness in him that he had never experienced before. He could think of nothing to counteract it.

Suddenly he felt Brian's hand come up against his shoulders. He hoped for a split second that the man was going to take him into his arms and allow him to make everything all right. To his surprise he found himself being propelled out into the hall. The door closed with a slam behind him and he heard Brian putting the locks back in place.

He stood in the hall for a long time trying to think of what to do, of how he could convince Brian that Angela's death wasn't his fault, of how to get Brian to come back to him, of how to retrieve the good life they had had just yesterday when Brian had made him dinner and fucked him so hungrily afterwards.

After many minutes he glanced at the door wondering if Brian was looking through the peep hole to see if he was still there. He thought he probably wasn't. Slowly he began walking down the hall. He didn't know what he was going to do, but he wasn't going to find any answers standing in that hallway.

-----

Brian leaned against the door, his head resting over the peep hole that he had been staring through. He had watched Justin standing in the hallway trying to figure out what to do. He had seen the pain he had caused flash across that beautiful face. He wanted to go out there and take him in his arms. He wanted to tell him that he would try to fix things. He wanted to let Justin hold him and comfort him and tell him that everything would work out. But he knew it wouldn't. Justin was better off without him.

Now Justin was leaving, leaving for good. And that was for the best. He wasn't going back to being mayor. That held no appeal for him now. He wasn't going to have any job at all. He would have to leave this hotel eventually, and he had no idea where he would go when he did. It would have to be somewhere else where nobody knew him.

Justin could have the loft. He could live there and start a new life. What happened to him was important. Nothing that Brian could do now could change what had happened. Someone was dead because of him. He would never be able to face that.

He lifted the bottle and drank hungrily, in need of solace from this source since no other offered itself. He made his way to the bed, took the last drink left in the bottle and threw himself onto the mattress. He would have to make some hard decisions soon, but not right now.

-----

Justin sat in the Corvette wondering what on earth he was going to do. He knew Brian was not going to talk to him anytime soon. He had made that abundantly clear. He couldn't just leave Brian up in that hotel room alone and hurting, but what other options were there?

He felt a stray tear make its way down his cheek. He wiped it away defiantly. He was not going to cry. He was going to figure something out. He had to help Brian whether he wanted his help or not.

He started the Corvette and slid into traffic. Slowly he began to make his way back to the loft. He was almost to Liberty Avenue when a thought hit him. He turned onto Liberty and drove slowly along the street wondering if this was the right thing to do. He wasn't at all sure as he pulled into a parking space, but he knew he had to try something.

The tinkling bell over the door to the comic shop startled Justin as he was trying to figure out what he was going to say.

"Hey, Boy Wonder," Michael said cheerfully.

"Hey," Justin said less than enthusiastically.

"What's wrong?" Michael asked noting Justin's demeanor. "What did he do this time?"

Justin sighed. This was probably a big mistake. But he was here now, so he might as well take the plunge. "Something's happened," he said softly.

"What?" Michael asked suddenly worried by Justin's statement. "Was Brian in an accident?"

"No … no, nothing like that," Justin said quickly. "Did you hear about that homeless woman who died yesterday?"

"Yeah, it's all over the news. Why?"

"Brian took it pretty hard that someone died while he was mayor."

"People die every day while he's mayor," Michael said sensibly.

"I know, but not people that he was trying to help and protect."

"Shit!" Michael said getting the drift of what Justin was saying. "He thinks he's responsible." Justin nodded. "So what has he done?"

"He'll probably kill me for telling you this, but I didn't know what else to do. He's in the Biltmore Hotel downtown. He's been drinking and fucking and he's a total mess. He slammed the door in my face and told me to fuck off." Justin managed to choke out the last part fighting the tears that threatened to flow. "I don't know what to do to help him, Michael."

Justin felt Michael come close and then he was being hugged by this man that had always seen him as a rival for Brian's affections, by the man who wanted to replace him in Brian's life, by the man who had a big heart that could feel the pain of others. Maybe that was what he and Brian really had in common, that unbelievable capacity to love others deeply when they allowed themselves to. Brian did it secretly and Michael did it openly.

The tears flowed for a few minutes until Justin pulled back and wiped them away. "I'm sorry about that," he said. "I … I'm so scared. I've never seen him like that. He was like some cold and heartless stranger."

"He has that persona down pat," Michael observed. Then he hesitated and said, "I take that back. He used to have that persona … before he met you." Michael knew it was time to say that to Justin because it was the truth and he felt the boy needed to finally hear it … from him.

"Can you help him, Michael?"

"I … I don't know, Justin, but I'll try."

"Here's the keys to the Corvette. I'll watch the store for you. He's in Room 618. He probably won't want to let you in, but you have to get through to him. You have to."

"I can't promise that I can do that, but I'll give it a shot."

"Thanks, Michael. I really appreciate it."

"Of course, I'll try to help him. He's my best friend."

For once those words didn't grate on Justin. He knew that Michael would try to be Brian's friend, would try to make him see his way back. He prayed that Michael would be successful as he watched the Corvette pull away.

-----

Michael pounded on the door to Room 618. Nobody was answering. He continued to pound. He said nothing, didn't call Brian's name, just pounded.

Finally he heard the locks being turned and the door opened a crack. He looked at the bleary face of his lifelong friend.

"Let me in, Brian," Michael said evenly.

"Go home, Mikey. You're not needed here."

"I beg to differ," Michael said and pushed against the door forcing Brian back and out of his way along with the door. He carried his packages into the suite which was dark and dismal looking. It reeked. He set the stuff he had brought down on the desk and went to the window. He threw back the drapes and turned on the air conditioning hoping it would take some of the stink out of the room.

"Michael…" Brian began, squinting his eyes against the onslaught of the winter sun.

"Don't bother, Brian. I'm not leaving. I brought food. You're going to eat if I have to force feed you. Then you're going to tell me what the hell you think you're doing."

Brian sighed. "I need a shower," he said hoping to put off the inevitable.

"You'll get no argument from me on that count. Go."

Brian turned and headed into the bathroom locking the door behind him. He knew Michael would leave him alone for a few minutes anyway, but he might need longer than that to figure out how to get rid of his "best friend".

Michael set the food out on the desk and turned off the air conditioning. It was getting a mite nippy. It had at least cleared out some of the smell of alcohol and sex that had bombarded him when he had first entered the room.

He heard the shower go on. He hoped Brian was actually getting into it. If he was that was a good sign. Michael knew that Brian had gone to the bathroom to try to figure out how to get rid of him, but that was okay. If he took a shower while he was in there, it would sober him up a bit and maybe help him to get a better view of what he was doing. No matter what plan Brian came up with to get him to leave, he was having none of it. He could be as stubborn as Brian … when he wanted to.

The shower went off and Michael waited wondering what Brian had decided while he was in the bathroom. The door opened and Brian came out wrapped in a towel. Michael felt his cock twitch. After all these years and despite the fact that he loved Ben and they had great sex together, there was no one like Brian. There would never be. Michael shook his head driving those thoughts somewhere deep inside where they would always live and would never see the light of day.

"You look a little better," Michael said.

Brian snorted. "I don't want to look better. I was perfectly fine before you got here. If you don't like what you found then leave."

"Is that the best you've got?" Michael asked with a smirk. "I'm not going anywhere."

Brian grimaced. He knew he wasn't up to snuff. His sarcasm meter was malfunctioning probably fried by the two bottles of Beam that he had consumed. Thinking of Beam made him thirsty. He looked around for the bottle that he had been drinking from.

"It's empty," Michael said picking it up from the nightstand and waving it in the air.

"Fuck!" Brian reacted.

"I'd say you've had enough for a while," Michael observed.

"Who the fuck asked you for your evaluation?" Brian sneered.

"No charge."

"Fuck off, Michael."

"You really are in bad shape if you have to resort to telling me to fuck off to try to get rid of me."

"So what will it take to get rid of you?" Brian sneered again.

"If you eat something and tell me what you're doing here, I'll consider leaving after that."

"You drive a fucking hard bargain," Brian said grabbing a chicken leg from the KFC bucket. He took a bite and immediately wanted to throw up. The grease and the feel of it was too much. He tried to force himself to eat some more of it thinking that he might get Michael to leave if he could eat the leg.

Suddenly he ran back into the bathroom and the chicken and a lot of the liquor still in his stomach came up. He heaved and heaved until there was nothing more to throw up. He slid onto his butt and rested his head against the bathroom wall while he waited for his stomach to settle down. A cold, wet facecloth swiped across his lips. Michael sat down on the floor beside him and handed him the facecloth. He wiped his lips again and then accepted the glass of water that Michael held in front of him. The cool liquid tasted surprisingly good. He drank it all.

Michael took the empty glass and reached to set it on the counter. He slumped against Brian when he sat back giving him a little bump in the shoulder.

"Tell me," Michael said.

He felt Brian's body shiver and then the silent sobs began to wrack his body.

"It's all fucked up, Mikey. I can't do it anymore."

Michael pulled Brian into his arms and hung on. The man cried silently refusing to make any sound. Michael could feel the sobs that shook his best friend to the core. All he could do was ride it out like the night Brian's father had died or the night Justin got bashed. They'd find their way through it … somehow.

Neither knew how long they sat that way. Eventually Brian's sobs started to subside and he seemed to be regaining control of himself.

"This is about that homeless woman, isn't it?" Michael asked. He felt Brian nod. "It's not your fault. There was nothing you could do."

"Everything's always my fault. It always has been."

Michael paused. He found that hard to argue with. Everything did get blamed on Brian. He was an easy scapegoat when things didn't go right. His mother was the prime one to blame Brian when something happened with Justin. Even he was quick to blame Brian when things went south with Dr. Dave. Brian always accepted the blame and then seemed to slough it off. Obviously he must have taken more of it to heart than any of them had realized. It probably started with his fucking parents who always blamed Brian for not being perfect and silent and no bother. Michael shook his head realizing what he had unwittingly done to his friend over all these years.

"Brian," Michael said softly. "I'm sorry."

Brian pulled away and stared into Michael's face wondering what the man meant. "What do you have to be sorry for?"

"I've blamed you for a lot of things over the years. They weren't always your fault."

Brian blinked away the remnants of his tears. "Mostly they were."

"No, you're wrong. You made it too fucking easy for us to blame you for things. Most of the time it was our own fucking faults."

"Well, Angela Dubkowski was my responsibility and I failed her."

"Is that the homeless lady?"

Brian nodded. "I failed her and she died."

"You can't control everyone's lives. You can't fix everything."

"But I should have done more."

"Like what?"

"I … I don't know. Something."

"Listen to yourself. You can't be responsible for every citizen in Pittsburgh. If that was true why haven't you stopped all the crimes that keep happening?"

"Stockwell," Brian said with a little grin.

That was a good sign. Humor. Michael chuckled. "Now that's someone who should have some blame layered on him. I can't believe he's still walking around free."

"It cost him his job though."

"Yeah, thanks to you … and Justin."

"You just complimented Justin," Brian said in amazement.

"I know … and I meant it."

"Did he tell you I was here?"

Michael nodded. "He loves you, Brian. Don't you think it's time to go home to him?"

"I don't think I can go back."

Michael didn't like the sound of that statement. There was something final about it that worried him.

"Come on, Brian. Let's go sit on something soft, eat some chicken and talk about going home, because that's where you belong."

Chapter 38 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 38 *

Brian and Michael stretched out on the bed with their shoulders propped up on the pillows. They ate most of the bucket of chicken. Once Brian had gotten rid of the alcohol in his system the chicken didn't taste so bad. He couldn't remember the last time he had eaten anything.

After eating in silence for awhile Michael said, "Brian, I meant what I said. It's time to go home."

Brian shook his head. "No."

"You can't stay in this hotel room forever. You have a job to do."

"The city's better off without me," Brian said stubbornly.

"How the fuck do you figure that?"

"Cynthia and Geoffrey will keep things running. They don't need me. They can make better decisions than I can."

"Would they have done anything differently about the homeless?" Michael asked pointedly.

"I … I don't know. Maybe."

"I doubt it," Michael said firmly. "Besides the people elected you, not Cynthia and Geoffrey."

"The masses have notoriously poor judgment. Look at what's in the White House."

"You won't get an argument on that one, but they chose you … over Stockwell, over the other candidates who tried to take his place. You have almost a year left to make them see that their choice was a good one."

"You think it was a good choice?" Brian asked a little awkwardly.

"Of course I do. Why would you even ask that?"

"I haven't seen much of you since the election."

Now it was Michael's turn to look sheepish. "That's true, but I … I wasn't sure how much you wanted me around. You have a whole new circle of friends."

"No, Mikey, I have a whole new circle of acquaintances. I still have the same friends."

Michael smiled at him. "I'll remember that."

Brian looked at Michael. He wouldn't have let anyone else into the room. He didn't want anybody to see him like he had been, but he could trust Michael. He always could.

"Brian, it's time to go home," Michael repeated softly.

"No."

"Yes, you have to go back."

"I don't have to do anything," Brian said belligerently.

"You're right. You don't have to, but I never thought you were a quitter. All those times your old man beat you up, all the times you worked your ass off to get the best marks to make a different kind of life for yourself, all the times you stayed up all night working to make the best presentation for a client. You were never a quitter then."

"I'm not a quitter. I just don't want to do it anymore."

"What's the difference? You're giving up."

"So?"

"I thought you were better than that. Rage would never give up."

"I'm not Rage."

"But you are."

"Is that why you're here, Zephyr, to save me?"

Michael nodded. "I'm trying."

"You don't need to."

"I think I do. It's my karma to save you whenever you need it."

Brian snorted. "I knew you had been hanging around the good professor too long."

"Rage was based on you. You did … you do … stand for something … to all of us. Don't give up, Brian. There was nothing you could have done for that woman."

"Her name's Angela."

"There was nothing you could do for Angela. She made the choice to stay in the cold. You can't fix everything."

"I thought that was what being mayor entailed. I did try."

"I know you did, but not everything is within your control. Nobody will blame you. In fact, they should thank you. If you hadn't opened those arenas there might have been a lot more people who died in the cold."

Brian stared at Michael. Michael knew from long experience that this was one of those times when he shouldn't say any more. He could see that Brian was processing what he had told him. If Michael said anything else he ran the risk of tipping the scales one way or the other and usually it went the wrong way. The best thing he could do was be silent and wait and hope Brian made the right decision.

Finally Brian sighed. "So, Zeph, are you going to drive me home?"

Michael grinned and nodded. "But not until you put some clothes on."

Brian got up from the bed and gathered up his suit. It was a wrinkled mess where he had thrown it on the floor. He hated the thought of putting it on again but he had nothing else to wear.

As he carried it to the bathroom he turned to look at Michael who was gathering up the chicken bones and used napkins and throwing them into the empty bucket. "Mikey, thanks," he said softly.

"Any time. You're my best friend. I'd do anything for you."

Brian closed the bathroom door wondering how he was ever going to face Justin.

-----

Justin raced up the stairs to the loft. Michael had returned to the comic book store with the 'Vette and no Brian. Justin had felt cold deep inside when Michael had walked into the store alone. Michael had failed. Brian was still lost.

It didn't take Michael long to explain what had happened. He had left Brian at the loft. The man wanted to change his clothes and shave before he saw Justin. Justin could barely believe his ears. Michael had got Brian to come home. He hugged Michael and thanked him and then ran to the car getting to the loft as quickly as he could. His greatest fear was that Brian might decide to take off again once Michael left him alone.

He threw back the door to the loft and looked around the apartment. No one was there. He felt fear grip his heart.

"Brian," he called hoping the man was still there somewhere hidden from view.

"Up here," Brian replied from the bathroom.

Justin arrived at the door to the bathroom his feet hardly touching the floor all the way there. Brian had shaving cream all over his face and a razor in his hand. Justin thought he had never seen anything so beautiful.

"Brian," he breathed, his voice all soft and mushy. He could feel the tears behind his eyes. He didn't want to cry but he wasn't sure he could stop himself.

"It's me," Brian said rather sheepishly. "I'm surprised you even want to talk to me after the way I treated you."

"You're here. That's all that matters."

"I shouldn't have been so mean to you. I … I was in a bad place."

Justin nodded. He understood that place and what had happened, but it seemed to be over now. He didn't want to dwell on the bad stuff. Brian had come back, his Brian, not the stranger from the hotel room.

"Are you all right?" Justin asked.

Brian shrugged. "I'm better than I was. All right? I don't know."

"I want to kiss you," Justin said softly.

"I'm all yours," Brian said holding out his arms.

Justin launched himself into Brian. His arms went around the man's neck and he pressed against him with all the force he could muster. His legs wrapped around Brian's waist. His lips found Brian's and he chewed at them hungrily. A moan and a sigh escaped his mouth as he refused to let Brian go. Finally they both needed air and the kiss ended leaving them breathless and panting.

Justin wiped at his mouth tasting shaving cream where it had worked its way onto his lips. "Yuck," he exclaimed.

"Do I taste that bad?"

"Just the shaving cream. Wipe it off."

"But I need to get rid of this scruff," Brian protested still holding the razor.

"Later," Justin stated firmly and grabbed a towel. He proceeded to wipe all the cream from Brian's face. "Much better," Justin said. His lips found Brian's. They kissed using tongues and teeth and suction. Justin felt his cock throb against Brian's. "Let's get out of these clothes," he said.

Brian threw off Justin's jacket and pulled his shirt over his head. The sight of Justin's naked chest went straight to his cock. He felt his cock rise and fill. He had been so stupid. He could never survive without Justin. The boy had become such a part of his life that he didn't know where he began and Justin took over. They were intertwined in such a way that it was impossible to think of existence without him.

Brian groaned, partly from his realization of how his life depended on this man in his arms but also from the grinding that Justin was doing against his groin. He felt Justin pull at the buttons of his jeans. In a flash they were both naked.

"I love you," Justin said as he took Brian's hand and led him to their bed.

Justin slid onto the bed leaning against the pillows. He opened his legs and held out his arms for Brian to join him.

Brian hung back. He wanted this. He wanted to make love to Justin. He wanted to be one with his lover, his friend, his savior. He wanted the feel and the touch and the taste of Justin to obliterate all the hurt and pain he had been feeling. But he also knew that he owed Justin an explanation. He wanted to tell the boy what had happened, wanted to make him understand.

"I need to tell you something," Brian said slowly.

"Later," Justin replied reaching out farther to pull Brian to him.

Brian moaned and wanted to acquiesce. "No," he managed to get out. "I need to say this before we do anything else. You have to know some things."

Justin sat up on the bed. He wanted Brian so bad. He wanted him in him and on him and wrapped around him, but obviously Brian felt they needed to discuss what had happened.

"Okay," he said, "but know that I'm going to make you pay for making me wait."

"I'll take my chances," Brian said with a grin.

"So spill."

"I don't know what came over me when I heard about Angela's death. I felt like I had failed, that everything I had done as mayor was useless. I had to escape … that feeling."

Justin nodded. "I understand."

Strangely Brian knew that he did. "I couldn't talk to anyone about it. There was nothing to say." Justin nodded again. "I'm sorry about what I said to you and about slamming the door in your face."

"That hurt, Brian."

"I know," Brian said sadly, "and instead of telling me to fuck off and going on with your life you went and asked Michael to come and talk some sense into me. You are so … incredible." Brian shook his head in amazement at what Justin would do for him.

"I love you in case you haven't noticed. I want you to be well and happy. I don't want you to suffer. I'd do anything to help you, Brian."

"I know that now. That's why my turning on you is so hard to stomach. I should have known better. I should never have done that."

"Okay," Justin said matter-of-factly. "You've done the mea culpas. Now come fuck me."

Brian chuckled, and then a growl escaped the man's throat. It sent goose bumps all over Justin's body and he felt his cock spring to attention. "I have a better idea," Brian stated.

Justin looked at him wondering what could be better than fucking. Brian had that silly little grin on his face. "Oh," said Justin as the light dawned. "I always said you have the best ideas."

Brian crawled onto the bed. He licked and kissed his way up Justin's pale skin till he reached the luscious lips that waited, parted in anticipation for him. He ravaged Justin's mouth, sucking and licking and probing every nook and cranny. Nobody tasted like his Justin and he could never get enough.

He rubbed his beard stubble over Justin's breasts eliciting moans and gasps. He felt his cock trapped between Justin's legs. It was so hard it hurt and he knew he needed more.

"Are you ready?" Brian asked.

"Always … for you. Roll over."

Brian rolled onto his stomach. Justin ran his hands down Brian's back. He could feel the skin ripple beneath his touch. He sighed in total satisfaction. Brian was his and he was Brian's. They belonged together. They would always find their way to each other regardless of what happened.

His lips followed his hands. He licked down Brian's spine feeling each hard protrusion stopping to suck on some. He reached Brian's tight ass and sighed again. Brian looked over his shoulder at the sound. Justin smiled an evil little grin and bent to take a nip out of one ass cheek. Brian whimpered and stared at Justin. The pink tongue came out to lick the injured spot. It felt cool and soothing and very erotic. Justin took a nip from the other cheek and repeated his ministrations. Brian wiggled beneath him rubbing the rod of steel trapped beneath him against the sheets hoping to find some relief.

"Stay still," Justin commanded. "I'll take good care of you." Brian knew he would.

He felt Justin shift on top of him and then that tongue licked across his hole. He raised his head and groaned wanting more. The tongue probed and licked and sucked at the tight little knot.

"Please," Brian whimpered before he could stop himself.

Justin smiled. He stiffened his tongue and jabbed again and again. Brian clutched the sheets and bit the pillow to stop himself from screaming. God, he wanted Justin inside him right now.

He heard the condom packet rip open and felt lube on his hole. Fingers rammed in and he screamed Justin's name.

"I'm right here, and this is going to be so good. Justin's fingers raked in and out fucking him with each thrust. Brian felt like he wanted to come and tried to force it back.

"Justin," he begged.

Justin stopped and let the man regain some control. Suddenly he felt Justin's well endowed cock breach the outer ring of muscle. He rose up off the bed and let out the most primal growl that either of them had ever heard. Justin waited and then thrust part way in. Another thrust and he was home. He stopped and leaned against Brian's neck.

"This is where I want to be, and where we belong. Don't you ever forget that again. Don't ever run away from me."

"I didn't forget. I just couldn't deal with it."

"Just so you know, I will always come after you. I'll do anything it takes to be with you. I love you."

"I'll never doubt you, Justin. I hope you won't have to doubt me either."

Justin knew that was as close to a declaration of love as he was likely to get. He thrust forcefully into his man. He would show Brian with his actions how much he loved him. When he was through there would be no doubt. Thrust followed thrust. They had their own rhythm that led to the ultimate pleasure. Justin torqued his hips sometimes searching for the spot that made Brian cry out in pleasure. The ride was long and hard and sweet.

Justin felt his balls draw up and knew he was close. Sweat dripped from his forehead and his breathing was raspy and short. Brian was in no better shape.

Justin reached under Brian's hips and pulled them up. His hand found the throbbing member and he jacked the man off in time with his thrusts. Brian panted and moaned and bucked beneath him. Suddenly Justin felt Brian stiffen and emit a guttural growl. The cock in his hand pulsed and shot wave after wave of jizz. Brian's ass clamped around Justin's dick and he was lost. Fire shot through his balls and he filled the condom as his body jerked in orgasm. The blinding light behind his eyes filled him with heat and satisfaction. The next thing he knew he was gasping for air lying on Brian's back with his dick still up Brian's ass.

They both groaned. Justin kissed Brian's ear and slowly pulled out rolling off the man and disposing of the condom. He felt Brian turn over and pull the covers over them. Strong arms came around him and they slept in each other's arms.

-----

Dirt landed on the coffin. The final part of the service. "Dust to dust". Justin squeezed Brian's hand. Angela had been laid to rest thanks to the generous donations of citizens who wanted her to have a burial better than what her life had been.

"It's over," Brian said as they moved away from the grave.

"Yeah," Justin agreed. "Over."

"Too bad the people who donated money to bury her couldn't have done something to help her live."

Justin nodded. Life didn't attract nearly the attention that a tragic death did.

"Brian," a voice said from behind them.

They both turned to see who had spoken. It was Adam Pritchard.

"Hi, Adam," Brian said extending his hand. "I didn't know you were going to be here."

"I didn't either," Adam admitted. "It just seemed the right thing to do. She was one of us," Adam said still lumping himself with the homeless.

"Not anymore…for you," Justin said. "I'm glad to see you looking so well."

"Thanks, Justin."

They walked in silence towards the row of cars that lined the cemetery driveway. Suddenly a camera crew from a local TV station appeared out of nowhere. Someone stuck a microphone in Brian's face and demanded a comment on Angela's life and death.

Brian wanted to tell them to fuck off, but he bit his tongue and plastered on his best public face. "Angela lived a hard life. At least she had a decent burial thanks to the generous citizens of Pittsburgh."

"How much was donated?" the reporter asked.

"At last tally it stood at nine thousand and twenty-eight dollars."

"Did the funeral use all of that?"

"I don't think so," Brian said. "We'll have to check and see what's left over. Maybe some charity can make use of the rest of it."

"Thank you, Mr. Mayor."

"At least she didn't ask me about Angela's death. I don't think I'm ready to talk about that even now," Brian said. He had never released Justin's hand since they had got out of the limo when they had arrived.

As they approached the car again Adam caught up to them. "I have an idea I'd like to run by you," he told Brian. "Can I come to see you tomorrow morning?"

"Sure. Come about ten. I'll make time."

They got in the limo which drove away. Justin leaned against Brian.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" he asked.

"Bad enough. I don't know why I let myself be talked into going back to this fucking job."

"Because it's the right thing to do and you're good at it."

"I couldn't do it without you."

"Don't you forget that."

"I won't, little twat," Brian said with a chuckle.

He was almost back to normal. Justin breathed a sigh of relief.

-----

Adam Pritchard arrived right at ten o'clock the next day. Brian was glad to see him and interested to see what he wanted.

"I had an idea about what to do with the extra money from Angela's funeral. I thought it might be something fitting to her memory and might do some good for the street people."

"So what's your idea?" Brian asked.

"Remember when I had the chance to get the job I have now and you loaned me a hundred dollars to get a room so I could clean up and look presentable?"

"I remember … and you paid me back."

"That hundred dollars probably made more of a difference in my life than any amount of money I ever earned," Adam said sincerely.

"So?" Brian asked wondering where Adam was going with this.

"What if we set up the Angela Dubkowski Fund with the remaining money, and gave out a hundred dollars at a time to street people who need to clean up and try to restart their lives. They would be expected to pay it back when they can."

Brian liked the idea the moment he heard it. But a thought occurred to him. "How will we know if someone is sincere or just trying to rip off the hundred bucks?"

"There's no way to know that for certain, but there could be an interview. Someone at the shelters could run the fund. Even if it is a scam to some people they would get a good night's sleep out of it."

"That's true," Brian said. "But I think you should run it, Adam, in conjunction with the shelters. You could offer to see people an hour a day, or two or three times a week. You have good judgment about that kind of thing … and lots of experience." Brian smiled.

"I'd like that."

"I'll announce it at a press conference and we'll set up the plan. All the shelters will get information about it. It could do some real good."

"Exactly," Adam said proudly.

"And make Angela's death not be in vain."

Brian smiled to himself. Sometimes being mayor wasn't so bad.

Chapter 39 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 39 *

Justin picked up the phone on the fourth ring just before the machine kicked in. He had been drawing and had not really wanted to stop. At the last minute he decided to get it.

"Justin!" a rather severe voice barked at him after he said hello.

"Dad?" Justin replied, amazed that his father was actually calling him. He realized this was the first time in a long, long time that he had heard from his father.

"What do you think you are doing?"

"What? What are you talking about?"

"I mean that your picture is constantly in the paper these days.  What are you doing, trying to ruin my business?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, Dad? How am I possibly ruining you business?

"You were at that funeral of some homeless, crazy person with that fucking pervert that you live with. Your face was plastered all over the news, standing there holding hands with that asshole like some fucking little housewife."

"Well, I guess I am some fucking little housewife. I support Brian in everything he does," Justin said defiantly.

"How can you be like this, Justin? Have you no sense of decency?"

"Apparently not, at least not by your perverted definition of decency." Justin chose to use the word "perverted" deliberately.

"Don't you use that tone with me, young man!" his father bellowed.

"You got that part right, Dad. I am a man and I don't have to do what you say. Not anymore!"

Craig sputtered on the other end of the line and Justin was tempted to hang up, but he wanted to know why his father had felt compelled to call him now.

"You never said how my standing beside Brian at the funeral is harming your business," Justin said in a level tone. "I've been in lots of newspaper photos with Brian since he got elected."

"Don't I fucking know it!"

"What's this about, Dad?"

"Forget it! You don't care what happens to me. You and the pervert will dance on my grave."

"Your grave? Dad, are you sick? Is something wrong? Tell me."

Justin heard his father sigh. "There's nothing physically wrong with me," Craig said in a more reasonable voice. "I had one of my best customers tell me today that he wanted to switch his business to another company."

"Why?" Justin asked afraid that he already knew the answer.

"Because of you," Craig said with bitterness in his voice. "He saw that fucking photo and he thinks you are helping to destroy the moral fiber of our country."

"Fuck!" Justin responded before he could stop himself. "And of course you agreed with him."

"It's true. You are encouraging perversion by being so blatant about your lifestyle."

"What did I do?" Justin asked with exasperation. "All I do is stand beside Brian. I go to functions with him. I smile and act like this is my life too." Justin felt his anger rising and he tried to keep his voice from shaking. "I never say anything for myself, and most of the time I don't want to. I sit with the wives at public functions and they treat me like some new toy they just discovered. And then they talk about me behind my back, and I have to smile and pretend that I don't know what they're saying. So I'm sorry if I'm causing you some lost business, but I have some fucking stuff to deal with too. Don't come complaining to me. Deal with it!"

Justin slammed the phone down and realized that he was shaking. He knew he had been screaming at his father by the end of that conversation. He could barely believe all that had come pouring out of him. He could barely believe that was how he actually felt. He had suppressed it for so long now that he hardly knew he had those feelings.

But there it was! He was sick of being the little housewife. He was a man and he had a life of his own. He had school. Some people actually thought that he was a good artist and that he might be successful someday. That didn't include Brian though. Brian never acknowledged his work anymore. He never looked at Justin's sketchbooks or asked what was going on at school. He never came to any of Justin's shows at PIFA or even came near the place anymore. Justin hadn't even told him about the show before Christmas. He really didn't want Brian there. He usually got teased about being the "wife" of the mayor if he reminded people that he was Brian's partner. It had been easier to just avoid the whole issue.

That's what he had been doing for months now, avoiding making waves, avoiding facing who he was, avoiding living his life the way he wanted to. He was always walking on eggshells never saying anything for fear of saying the wrong thing. If he spoke he had to choose his words so carefully. He wished he could just be himself, go back to the way things used to be. Yeah, like that was ever going to happen!

Justin rubbed his temple feeling the old scar from the bashing.  Brian thought they had come so far since then, but had they really? He had felt much freer back then. He had loved Brian in such an all consuming way. Now Brian had so many responsibilities. He was always busy, and then something would set him off, like the death of that homeless woman. And it would be Justin's job to pick up the pieces. Getting a door slammed in his face and being told to go home alone had been Brian's response to his efforts to help. He had done as instructed. He had gone and got Michael who had fixed the situation, something he was unable to do. And so their life had gone on, much like nothing had ever happened.

Justin was sick of it all. His head was beginning to throb. He wanted a life for himself, not just the one in Brian's shadow. How could he ever accomplish that? Nobody would help him. Nobody cared how he felt. What could he do? He walked up to the bathroom to get a Tylenol before his headache got really bad. He wondered where all this anger had come from.

Why did his fucking father have to call tonight?

-----

When Brian arrived home a little after ten o'clock, he found the loft in darkness and assumed that Justin had gone out somewhere. Brian had been at a Rotary Club dinner, having been asked to speak about his attempts to help the homeless. He had wanted to refuse, with Angela's death still too fresh in his mind. He wasn't sure he would ever totally recover from that. The Rotary Club had offered to donate two thousand dollars to the fund that was set up in Angela's name, the fund administered by Adam Pritchard, the fund to help the homeless by giving them one hundred dollars to clean up, get a job and maybe reclaim their life. That would mean that twenty people could be helped if Brian made his speech. He agreed.

Brian hung up his coat and took a look at the mail on the counter. Justin had opened the bills and there was nothing of a personal nature. He tossed it back on the counter deciding he would change and maybe shower. Then he would be all fresh and ready to fuck his golden boy when he came home.

As he reached the top of the steps, he became aware of the lump on the bed. "Justin," he said softly. There was no answer.

Brian walked over to the bed and saw Justin sleeping in a fetal position all wrapped tight in the duvet. He frowned. That was the way Justin slept after a nightmare or a migraine. He sat down beside Justin and felt his forehead. It seemed a little hot, but not inordinately so. He wondered what could have happened to send Justin to bed so early. They were often in bed at this time of night but never asleep. So much for the fuckfest he had planned.

Brian got up carefully not wanting to wake Justin. If the boy had had a nightmare or a bad headache, sleep was the best thing for him. He removed his suit and hung it up. He'd take a shower and then see if Justin had stirred while he was doing that. A little grain of worry tapped at the portal of his brain, but he pushed it aside.

A while later Brian dried himself off and wrapped the towel around his hips. He went back into the bedroom to check on Justin. He sat by the boy and felt his head again. It seemed a little feverish. Suddenly Justin pushed his hand away and began mumbling incoherently.

"Justin," Brian said softly.

The mumbling continued. Brian leaned in trying to hear what his partner was saying. He seemed agitated by whatever it was.

"I'm not," he heard Justin say forcefully. "No … no I'm not."

"Not what?" Brian said aloud.

"No, alone, go away."

"Justin," Brian said rubbing the arm that had found its way out of the covers as Justin was now thrashing around.

"I'm not!" Justin repeated with some force and then suddenly sat up. His eyes opened and he groaned.

"Justin," Brian said reaching for him.

"Leave me alone," Justin said shoving him away. "It's your fault."

"What's my fault?" Brian asked.

"Wha'? Um…nothing. When did you get here?" Justin asked seeming confused.

"Are you awake?" Brian asked trying to feel his forehead again.

"Of course I am. I'm talking to you, aren't I?" He pushed Brian's hand away again.

"You were dreaming, talking in your sleep."

"I was?"

Brian nodded. "You had me worried. Did something happen while I was out tonight?"

Justin frowned and shook his head. "I'm all right," he said more to convince himself than Brian.

"You were sleeping all wrapped up like you do after a nightmare or a migraine. Did you have one or the other?"

"Not till you got here," Justin said uncharitably.

Brian pulled back and stared angrily at Justin. He was trying to help. Why was Justin doing his best to piss him off? "Then I'll leave you alone." Brian started to stand.

"I'm sorry," Justin said grabbing his arm. "Something did happen."

"Do you want to tell me? You don't have to if you don't want to."

"It was my father." Justin saw Brian visibly tense up and clench his jaw.

"What did that fucker do?"

"He called tonight."

"He actually made an overture to you?"

"Only to tell me that I'm ruining his business."

"And how the fuck does he figure that?"

"He lost a big client today because the guy saw our picture in the paper after Angela's funeral."

"Why would that make a client pull his account?" Brian asked not understanding the connection.

"We were holding hands."

"I remember that. You were like my lifeline. I was afraid to let go."

Justin smiled a bit. He liked it when Brian needed him and depended on him. It just didn't happen very often. "Apparently we are corrupting our, oh so saintly, country."

"Jesus fucking H. Christ! How did they reach that conclusion?" Justin shrugged. "One of these days I'm going to plaster a picture of me fucking your brains out on the front page of the Pittsburgh Herald. Your father will be out of business the next day."

"Brian," Justin said plaintively. "Don't even kid about something like that."

"I'd do it, you know. Maybe on the last day I serve as mayor."

Justin shook his head. He knew only too well what Brian was capable of doing. But it wouldn't be him that would bear the brunt of it, it would be Justin.

"Are you all right now?" Brian asked. "You felt a little hot."

"My father … upset me."

"He has that down to a fine science." Brian studied Justin. "Are you sure that's all?"

Justin nodded. He couldn't get into the real problem, not yet. He had finally figured out what had been bothering him for awhile and he needed to think about it calmly before he sprang it on Brian. He didn't need a fight with the man on top of everything else.

"He gave me a headache. I'm going to try to go back to sleep."

"Sure," Brian said wondering what Justin wasn't telling him.

"Goodnight."

"Later."

-----

Justin swept the black paint across the canvas. All the bright, cheery colors he had painted before were blacked out with only little specks of color now peeking through. He stood back and looked at the piece. That was it. It looked exactly how he felt.

The little rays of light in his life were gradually being snuffed out. He had sublimated himself to Brian and Brian's job. Before too long he would be able to cover the whole canvas totally in black. All light would be gone from his life. The essence of him would be lost.

Justin set the canvas on the floor to dry. He primed another one that he would use later in the week. Once that was done he began to clean his brushes. He was supposed to meet Daphne for coffee at four o'clock. He better hurry or he would be late.

When Justin walked into the coffee shop a half hour later, Daphne was already sitting in a booth. She waved to him. He smiled at her. At least she knew who he really was even if nobody else did. He ordered a latte at the counter figuring he needed the calories and sugar to get through the next few hours.

"Hey, good lookin'," she joked as he slid in across from her.

"Hey, yourself," he responded with a grin.

"So what's up?" Justin raised his eyebrows. "You hardly ever ask me for coffee. You're too busy these days what with the mayor and all the social events the two of you have to … attend," she finished hesitantly, seeing the steely look that came over Justin's face. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No, it's not your fault."

"What's going on, Justin?"

He shook his head finding it difficult to think of a way to begin.

"Just tell me," she insisted.

"Can we talk about you first?" Justin asked.

She stared at him for a minute thinking this must be something big if he was having so much trouble even broaching the subject.

"Sure," she said finally as the waitress delivered her coffee and Justin's latte. She took a sip of the coffee. For the next five minutes she regaled Justin with accounts of her classes and professors and all the boys she was interested in and the one she had actually gone out with.

"So are you serious about him?" Justin asked when she finally took a breath.

"Not really. He was all right but he wasn't really that interested in me. I don't think I'll ever find someone. You're so lucky to have found Brian."

He snorted without thinking. Immediately Daphne knew what the source of Justin's funk was, not that she hadn't already guessed as much.

"So what did he do this time?" she asked.

"Believe it or not, he didn't do anything," Justin said rather testily.

"Then what's wrong? It has to have something to do with Brian."

"Doesn't it always?"

"What does that mean?" she pursued determined to pry the information out of him.

"It means that the universe revolves around Brian fucking Kinney and this satellite is getting fed up with the whole scenario."

"A little jealous, are we?"

"No fucking way! I'm not jealous. But I would like to be treated like a man, not his fucking dutiful wife."

"But that's what you are, in essence," Daphne replied.

"Thanks a fucking lot! You're supposed to be my friend, be on my side."

"I am on your side, but you must have known going in that you were assuming that role."

"I guess I sort of did, but I didn't expect it to become the only thing I am."

"What do you mean … the only thing?"

"I get teased at school about being the mayor's wife and Brian's friends call me the 'little woman'. Nobody cares that I'm an artist. It's totally irrelevant in Brian's political world. Last night my fucking father called and accused me of losing a client for him because I'm shown in the paper with Brian holding hands. For God's sake, holding hands! When I think of all the things there could have been pictures of us doing, and holding hands loses him a client. Then he tells me that I'm aiding in the corruption of the country by my perverted lifestyle. I'm just fucking sick to death of the whole bloody thing. I want out. I want my own life back."

"Are you saying you want to leave Brian?" Daphne asked her eyes wide in disbelief.

"I don't want to leave him, but I'm getting lost in his life. I need a life of my own. I need to be my own person."

"Have you told him this?"

"Yeah right, like he could spare me five minutes of his valuable time so I could tell him?"

"You haven't even mentioned this to him, have you?"

Justin looked sheepish. "No, not yet. He won't listen anyway, and if he does he'll tell me I'm being a baby. He won't try to do a fucking thing about it."

"You don't know that, if you haven't even spoken to him about it."

"I bet it's an accurate description of how it will play out."

"When did you decide all this?"

"When my father called, I … got really upset and yelled at him. Somewhere during that rant I realized that I have no life of my own. I'm living Brian's life and I've lost mine along the way. I'm not satisfied with being a wife and a social hostess and Brian's own personal fixer-upper when anything goes wrong. I'm a student and an artist and a man. That's how I want to be treated."

"Then tell him that."

"Easy for you to say."

"I know Brian can be … difficult," Daphne admitted. "But he's also a reasonable man and he loves you." Justin snorted. "You know he does even if he doesn't say it. He wants you to be happy. If you're not, you should tell him."

"Even if he wanted to help me, he's the mayor and I'm his partner. Nothing's going to change."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I don't know. I'm just so … frustrated."

"Talk to him, Justin, before it's too late."

"You think I should?"

"I know you should," she said emphatically.

"You know what he said last night?" She shook her head. "He said that he'd like to put a photo of him fucking my brains out on the front page of the Pittsburgh Herald."

Daphne chuckled. "Was that in response to what your father said?"

Justin nodded. "But the funny part was that he said he'd do it on the day he was through as mayor."

Daphne looked into Justin's eyes. She could tell he was hoping that day would come very, very soon.

Chapter 40 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 40 *

Justin felt a hand rubbing along his cock. He was sure he was still asleep but this dream felt so real, so good. He licked his lips and gave himself over to the sensation. He was very hard and the hand was very insistent, very persistent.

Suddenly he felt lips on his own and it all felt too real to be a dream. He fought his way out of sleep moaning and kissing back. His arms went up around Brian's neck and he pressed Brian's mouth tighter against his own. The hand continued its delicious work.

Justin felt his balls pull up and that tingling in his groin. He moaned against Brian's lips and arched his back in anticipation. Suddenly Brian was gone and he cried out in frustration only to moan once again as Brian's mouth captured his throbbing cock. The heat and softness of Brian's mouth engulfed his dick. The lips sucked and pulled along his length and he cried out again as he shot into Brian's waiting mouth. He felt Brian suck at the head of his cock and run his tongue through the slit gathering every drop of his essence. He sighed and fell back against the pillows.

"Morning, Sunshine," Brian said softly. "Breakfast was delicious," he added with a smirk.

"Glad I could provide your morning protein," Justin said with a chuckle.

"Seems like we've been crossing paths but never connecting the last few days."

Justin tried not to look guilty. If he was truthful with himself, he knew that's exactly what had been happening because he had made it so. He had taken some evening shifts at the diner and had managed to be asleep a couple of times when Brian got home late from work. He had been avoiding talking to Brian about his feelings of being swallowed up by Brian's life.

"Am I putting you back to sleep?" Brian asked with a frown when Justin didn't respond.

"Um … no, I was just thinking." He was wondering if now was the time to talk to Brian about what he was feeling.

"Thinking about what?"

"About how I've missed you too," Justin said pulling his lover in for another kiss. Their discussion could wait till he knew exactly what he wanted to say. He was worried about Brian's reaction and wanted to choose the time and situation carefully to minimize the repercussions.

"Shall we spend a little quality time in the shower?" Brian asked with that hungry look on his face.

"Sounds good," Justin agreed getting up from the bed and heading for the bathroom. Sex would mean little or no talking this morning.

Brian slammed him against the shower wall imbedding his dick so far up his ass that Justin was sure it would pop out his mouth if he opened it. They hadn't fucked for a few days which was very unusual and probably unhealthy for both of them. Justin grunted as he bucked back into Brian. Jesus, he loved it rough and hard, and nobody could do that like Brian.

"Ahhh," Brian cried happy to have found the warm, tight confines of Justin's channel. Nothing ever matched this feeling. It was where he felt the best. It was where he belonged. He rammed into the boy riding him mercilessly. His hand reached around and tweaked one of Justin's nipples – hard. The boy cried out. Brian knew it had hurt and that only made his assault move to the next level.

He released the nipple and pulled Justin's head around. His lips attacked the full, luscious ones, chewing and bruising and still craving more. Finally he released Justin's lips and starting chewing on the bare shoulder as the water poured over them. His thrusts were firm and sure and deep. He wanted to crawl right inside his lover and never leave.

Justin spread his palms against the slippery glass of the shower. He tried to hold on as Brian pounded into him. It actually hurt a little, each hard jab of Brian's dick. His ass contracted around the cock sometimes trying to expel it, sometimes refusing to let it go. He could never let Brian go. He needed this. He wanted this. They needed each other. What was he going to do? How could he ever make Brian understand his position?

Suddenly Brian yanked him back against his groin. Brian's cock was so deep inside him that he wanted to scream in ecstasy, in desire, in love. Brian leaned his head against Justin's shoulders and kissed him gently as they hung on to each other. His teeth bit down on the shoulder where it met his neck. Justin cried out in pain knowing Brian had deliberately marked him there. His nails raked up Brian's leg surely leaving a scratch.

Brian drew back and plunged in anew. His hand reached for Justin's cock and jacked him off. Justin felt like he was going crazy. His mind reeled and he wanted to collapse on the floor of the shower, let the water pour over him and melt into oblivion holding on to this moment forever. Brian's hand on his dick made him refocus and he knew he was nearing the edge. He called Brian's name from somewhere far away as the hand continued its work. He didn't know if he had actually spoken or not. He had lost control of his senses and of his world.

With a scream that he was sure the whole apartment building could hear, he came with great force shooting against the shower wall. Brian was right behind him, filling the condom and leaning heavily against him as they both tried to breathe.

"Fuck!" Brian gasped as he withdrew.

"It certainly was," Justin agreed as he drew in short necessary breaths.

Brian turned him around and they clung against each other as the water washed away every evidence of what they had just done. But Justin had it in his heart. He knew this was how Brian told him that he loved him and needed him.

"I better get dressed or I'll never get to work," Brian said releasing his lover reluctantly.

"Do you have to go?"

Brian raised his eyebrows. It wasn't like Justin to say that. They both knew they had responsibilities and they just did them.

"Is something wrong?" Brian asked. He'd had an uneasy feeling for a week now.

"Not really, but I'd like to talk to you about something. What time will you be home tonight?"

"I can be here for dinner if you're going to be home," Brian said. It sounded so formal, like they were making an appointment. Something was definitely up, but he was glad Justin was finally going to talk to him.

"I'll see you at seven," Justin said opening the shower door and grabbing a towel. He threw one to Brian and they began drying off. Brian knew instinctively that Justin didn't want to talk about this anymore right now. He'd find out tonight what was going on with the boy. He didn't know if he should be worried or not.

-----

Justin stirred the vegetables as he talked on the phone.

"He should be here in about five minutes. He called just before he left City Hall," Justin told Daphne. He had called her for moral support. He wanted to be assured once more that he was doing the right thing.

"Take it slow, Justin. But make sure you tell him exactly how everything makes you feel. Don't leave stuff out."

"I'll try," Justin said having pangs of doubt.

"Listen to me," Daphne said. "You can do this. Every time you and Brian have had major problems it was because one or the other of you stopped being truthful about things."

"I'm truthful," Justin defended himself.

"Keeping secret how you really feel does not constitute truthfulness."

"Okay, okay. I'm going to do this."

"Good," Daphne said firmly.

Justin added the sauce to the vegetables and checked on the pasta. It was almost ready.

"I think I hear the elevator. I have to go … and … thanks, Daph. You're always there when I need you."

"You're welcome and I expect a full report tomorrow."

"Sure," Justin said with a chuckle knowing that she would expect all the lurid details, and the good ones too.

"Something smells good," Brian said as he pushed back the loft door.

"Thanks," Justin said smiling at him nervously.

Brian registered the look but said nothing about it. "Is it almost ready?"

"Just about."

"I'll change and be right down," Brian said loosening his tie as he headed up the steps.

Justin mixed the pasta, sauce and vegetables together, threw in the chicken from the oven and set the bowl on the table. He grabbed a couple of wine glasses and brought the bottle from the fridge. While he opened the bottle he tried to run through how he was going to talk to Brian. Nothing seemed like a good idea. He poured them each a glass of wine and prayed to whatever the fuck it was you prayed to when you wanted something good to happen.

Brian came back down in jeans and a black wifebeater. Justin felt his heart skip a beat. Brain always looked so good. He didn't like the idea of running the risk of pissing him off by what he was about to say. An audible sigh escaped his lips.

Brian glanced up at him as he sat down at the table. "Do you want to talk first and eat later?" he asked sensing that neither of them would enjoy their food until this was out in the open.

"No, let's eat first," Justin said quickly. He wasn't ready.

They ate in silence with an occasional "Want some more wine?" or "This is really good".

Once the main course was finished Justin started to clean up.

"Enough," Brian stated. "Bring your wine over here. It's time to talk to me."

They moved to the sofa. Brian leaned against one arm so that he could partially turn and face Justin. Justin sat facing the windows staring into the wine glass that he clutched in his hands. Brian waited.

Justin squirmed not knowing how to begin. "Brian," he said finally. That was all.

"For Christ's sake, Justin, you're scaring the shit out of me. What's wrong?"

"I don't know where to begin," Justin said trying to hold it all together.

"Start anywhere. I'll figure it out."

Justin knew that was true. "You know when my father called the other night?"

Brian nodded. "Has he done something else?"

Justin shook his head. "I didn't quite tell you the whole story."

"Oh?"

"I got … really mad at him for telling me that I was … responsible for him losing a client because we were holding hands in that newspaper picture." Justin stopped.

"You told me that. That's what caused the headache. Right?"

"Mostly." Justin hesitated. Brian waited. Justin sighed. Brian sighed. Justin cleared his throat. "I told him that all I do is stand beside you and attend functions with you."

When Justin stopped again, Brian said, "I don't see what the problem is. You do stand beside me and attend dinners and parties and … funerals with me."

"You didn't hear me," Justin said shaking his head.

"What do you mean, I didn't hear you?"

"I said all I do," Justin repeated clearly stressing the word all.

Brian stared at him. "Are you saying you want a bigger role?" Brian asked bewildered.

"Christ, no!" Justin retorted.

"Then what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that I'm nothing. I do nothing but stand beside you and hold your hand. I have no life anymore … except as your 'dutiful political wife'. I'm saying that I'm sick of only existing in your shadow. I'm saying I want a life of my own."

Brian's mouth opened to deny what Justin was saying, but he reconsidered as he studied the set jaw and rigid shoulders across from him. Justin refused to look at him.

"Is that how you feel, Justin? Is that how I've made you feel?"

Justin nodded and choked back a sob.

"Fuck! I had no idea."

"I … I know," Justin admitted. "I didn't have any real idea until I started yelling at my father and it all came pouring out. After I hung up with him, I started shaking. I could hardly stop, and I realized that I had been keeping all that bottled up inside me for months. I … I felt like I was about to break into a million pieces."

Brian's arms came around him and pulled him close. Justin allowed himself to be squeezed against Brian's strong chest, and then the sobs started. "I'm sorry, Justin, so sorry. I had no idea. I'm sorry."

Justin tried to control his sobs but they just kept coming. "It's not your fault. It's … it's the job. It sucks us in and we have no choice but to smile and play nice. It's all some fucking game … a game that never ends and you can't really win."

Brian snorted. "You got that right," he said running his fingers through Justin's hair as he held the boy close. "When you win the election it all begins and it grows and gnaws at the person you used to be until you can barely recognize yourself."

Justin sat up and wiped at his eyes with the back of his hand. He stared into Brian's eyes. "You feel like that?" he asked in disbelief.

"Every hour of every day."

"But…"

"I know. I put up a good front, but I'm the master of putting up a good front. You should know that."

"When did you start feeling like that?"

"With all those fucking parties at Christmas. It all seemed so fucking hypocritical. You know I hate Christmas, and I hate parties, and I especially hate parties with breeders."

Justin laughed out loud. It was pretty ludicrous. He snuggled back against Brian's chest feeling better that he wasn't alone in all this.

"Justin, this isn't about me."

"Yeah, it is. It's always about you. That's the problem." Justin looked up into Brian's eyes the accusation clearly there.

"Is that the problem?"

Justin nodded. "It's always about you," he repeated. "It's like I don't matter, like I don't really exist."

"I'm sorry if that's how it's been. Why didn't you say something sooner?"

"I didn't even realize what I was feeling. The resentment has been building for a while, but I never acknowledged it until that phone call with me father."

"I thought there was more to it than what you told me. You were in bad shape that night."

"It … it all came pouring out. I couldn't stop it and it scared the shit out of me. Have you ever been really scared?"

Brian stared into the blue eyes looking up at him. He knew he needed to be honest. "Only about a million times."

Justin's eyes widened. "When?"

Brian sighed. He was going to have to dredge this all up. "When I was a kid, I was scared every day when I came home from school. I never knew what I would find when I stepped through that door. The dread was almost more than I could bear sometimes."

"I'm sorry you had to live like that."

"So am I," Brian admitted ruefully. "Justin, this isn't about my problems though. We were talking about what's bothering you."

"Thanks for remembering that," Justin whispered trying to keep the resentment out of his voice. "The big problem is how we have to behave and how I get treated as a result. I have to be perfect, never cause trouble, never say anything controversial. It's like I'm not allowed to have an opinion. If I do, I can't express it. It's almost like I don't exist beyond being your appendage. I don't feel like my own person anymore. Do you understand?"

"I think so, but … fuck! … I can't believe that you've been feeling like this. Why didn't you say something sooner?"

"What can realistically be done about it?" Justin said with a deep sigh.

Brian was taken aback. He thought about that for a minute.

"See," said Justin, "there's nothing that you can do. That's why I didn't want to bring it up, because it can't be fixed."

"I admit that…," Brian began slowly, "that there is not much we can do about the whole situation, but I bet if we put our heads together we could come up with some baby steps."

"Baby steps?" Justin asked with a huff. "I don't like the baby reference. That's how I feel, like a child that needs to be seen and not heard, that needs to be taken care of. I'm a man, Brian, in case you haven't noticed."

"Believe me, I've noticed," Brian stated his hand cupping Justin's well-endowed bottom.

"I don't mean like that!" Justin retorted giving Brian's hand a smack.

"I know," Brian conceded. "How can I improve that?"

"You could take an interest in my art."

"I do. I love your work."

"You never mention it," Justin accused.

"Really? I mean to. I think you're a wonderful artist."

Justin turned his face up and they kissed acknowledging that Brian did indeed love Justin's work.

"I'd like you to come to some of the student shows, but…"

"I'd come," Brian promised. "Is there one coming up?"

"In about three weeks."

"I'll be there."

"But…"

"But what?"

"I…I didn't ask you to the last one," Justin admitted.

"Why?" Brian asked puzzled.

"Because I get teased about being the mayor's wife, and I don't like it."

"I can't do much about the teasing."

"I know," Justin sighed again. "That's the trouble. There is so little you can do. But you can tell them to stop if you hear it, especially your friends."

"They do tease you sometimes, don't they?" Brian asked thinking about the last time he had heard Justin referred to as the little woman, and he had laughed along with them. Shit!

Justin could see that he had opened Brian's eyes about a few things. Maybe that was enough for tonight. Daphne had told him to get everything out, but he didn't want to get into the hotel incident after Angela died and how he had to repress his own hurt to take care of Brian's. He was afraid that would be too much. Maybe another time.

Brian reached down and kissed Justin. He had a lot to think about. He realized how much he took Justin for granted and depended on him being there in every circumstance. Obviously he needed to make some changes. He just hoped he was up to the challenge. He felt Justin's hand at his crotch and let those thoughts fade away as his body responded.

Chapter 41 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 41 *

"You look a hell of a lot better than the last time I saw you," Daphne said as Justin slid into the booth across from her.

They were meeting for lunch about a week after Justin had had his little talk with Brian.

"I feel a lot better," Justin admitted. Things had been going … well.

"So tell me all about it?" Daphne demanded. She knew that it had gone all right to use Justin's words. They had talked on the phone the next day and Justin had been pleased with what had happened. He said that Brian had agreed to try to stop the teasing whenever it occurred, especially with his friends. He said that Brian seemed to understand about Justin's feelings of being lost in Brian's life. They had left it at that until they met face to face and this was the day.

"There isn't a lot to tell," Justin said.

"Come on!"

"Well, it's true. There isn't a whole lot that can be done about some of it. It comes with the territory of Brian's job."

"That's not really an excuse. Brian can fix some things."

"We talked about that. He's coming to my art show the end of next week."

"That's good, I guess. But won't you get teased again if he appears there."

"Maybe some, but he promised to come as himself and not the mayor. He won't have the limo. He'll come with me in the Corvette. He's not going to wear a suit."

"Big fucking compromise!" Daphne stated not at all impressed with Brian's concessions.

"It's a start. He was sorry he didn't realize how his life was affecting mine."

Daphne snorted. "If he wasn't so self-centered he would notice without you telling him."

Justin looked at her, surprised by her attack on Brian. She usually defended him, took his side. "I can't believe you said that. Brian's doing his best."

"Then how come you haven't said anything about him slamming the door in your face. Did you at least get an apology this time?"

Justin looked down at the menu unable to meet Daphne's gaze. The silence was deafening. "He did apologize … before."

"I know he did, but I don't think he fully realized how his actions hurt you. That was the prime example."

Justin sighed. He knew she was right. How many times had Brian sent him away, refused to listen, shut him out both literally and figuratively. The door slamming in his face was a classic example of what he wanted to fix in their relationship. "I don't know how to explain it to him," Justin admitted.

"Oh my God, you never told him!" Daphne almost shrieked. "After everything I told you, you didn't say anything about how that hurt you."

"I will. It was just… The time … wasn't right."

"So nothing really got settled! And here I've been thinking how brave you were and that Brian had come through for you. How fucking stupid I am! Topped only by how fucking stupid you are!"

"Daph…"

"Don't try to convince me you did the right thing. You had Brian in an understanding and compromising mood and you passed up that chance. You're fucking nuts!"

"It went so well. I just felt it would set him off if I started in about how he treats me."

"You talk about how others treat you, something that neither of you can fix. And…and then you don't get to the real point of the exercise. That's just fucked!"

Maybe it was fucked. He felt fucked by the whole thing. "I just couldn't do it," Justin said trying not to whine.

"I am really disappointed by you, Justin. You tell me all this shit and make me feel sorry for you, and then you cop out. If you're not going to take a stand on this, then I don't want to hear any more about it."

"Okay … fine … I won't say another word about it."

Daphne ground her teeth together. She so wanted to smack him. Sometimes he was so dense. And Brian too. They were so beautiful together. She knew how much Justin loved Brian and she was pretty sure Brian loved Justin even more, but they were hopeless in relationships. If only they would be honest with each other, they could have such a great life together. She shook her head wondering if there was any hope for the two idiots as far as love was concerned.

"I'll have a club sandwich," she said testily, "and you're paying for it."

Justin nodded knowing that he had pissed her off, but still believing that what he had done was for the best.

-----

The day of the art show rolled around. It had been a hectic couple of weeks for Justin getting his pieces ready, mounting and framing and hanging. He thought they looked really good. The show was to be juried and he hoped to make the top three.

He and Brian had seen very little of each other. Brian was involved in a series of committee meetings. Justin couldn't remember what the committees were for, that is if Brian had ever told him. Brian didn't get home until ten or later every night. There were some public hearings that were scheduled from seven to nine but always ran longer.

They would fall into bed, maybe fuck and then fall asleep immediately after. Many nights one or the other of them would already be asleep before the other arrived. Things between them were okay on the surface but underneath were rather strained.

The morning of the show Brian told Justin that he had a committee meeting that was supposed to be over at six. That would give him time to race home, change and they could go to the show together. Justin was worried that the time was cut so fine but Brian promised to be there. What else could Justin do but accept his promises?

Six o'clock came and went. Justin was all dressed and ready to go. He paced the loft and worried. It looked like Brian was going to let him down again. At twenty to seven he picked up the keys to the Corvette and made his way downstairs. All the contributors to the show and their families were supposed to be at PIFA by seven for a brief reception before the show began. He could just about make it … alone.

The show seemed to be going well. Justin stood by his pieces and made small talk with people who came by and told him how much they liked his work. The judges had already interviewed him. The decision of the jury would be announced at eight-thirty.

Justin had attended the reception alone. He had talked to the judges alone and now he stood stoically alone by his artwork. He could feel his resentment rising. He should have asked his mother to come to the show tonight. At least then he would have had someone to support him and tell him his work was good. He would have had a sympathetic shoulder if he didn't make the top three and a warm hug if he did. All he had was an empty space beside him and a hole in his heart. He couldn't believe Brian had let him down again, especially after their talk.

As eight o'clock passed and still there was no sign of Brian, Justin resigned himself to the likelihood that he would be alone all evening. Maybe that was a good thing. If Brian showed up now he would take a dull palette knife and run it through his cold, lying heart. Shit! He couldn't believe that he was so angry. He had done everything to make the man see how he felt. Well, everything except tell him the complete truth. Maybe Daphne was right and he should have hit Brian with the whole package of misery when he had the chance. What was it they said, "Hindsight is twenty-twenty"?

Justin turned and straightened one of his paintings. It was already perfectly straight but he needed a moment to fight back the tears and regain some composure. It hurt a lot that Brian had let him down again.

Suddenly he heard a change in the room behind him. A kind of hush had fallen, not real silence but a quiet that hadn't been there a moment ago. Justin turned in time to see Brian striding toward him dressed in his Armani suit and looking every bit the mayor. He knew peripherally that people had stopped talking and were staring at the entrance of their mayor.

For a split second Justin felt his heart soar. Brian had come. He had kept his promise. Then reality hit him. Brian had kept half his promise. He had made it to the show but he had come as the mayor not as Justin's partner. Once again Justin would play second fiddle to the older man … and at his own show. Fuck!

Justin continued to straighten the painting so he didn't have to turn around and face Brian just yet. He struggled to control his emotions which ran the gamut of sadness, anger and hope. He still hoped Brian would make things right. He felt a hand on his shoulder and knew he had to turn around.

"Hey," Brian said with that goofy grin that usually melted Justin's heart. "Sorry I'm late. The fucking meeting ran long … again."

"Really?" Justin said sarcastically. He saw Brian's eyebrows rise.

"I said I was sorry," Brian stated again giving Justin the leave-it-alone-for-now look.

"And I'm sure you are."

"What crawled up your ass?"

"Trust me, it won't be you."

Brian glared at him, but their tender moment was interrupted by someone tapping on a microphone and asking for their attention. They turned to listen to the results of the jury, putting aside their differences for now.

The third place winner was announced first. It wasn't Justin. Then second place was announced. That wasn't Justin either. He sighed thinking that probably he was going to be ignored. He felt Brian's fingers lace through his and he almost smiled. Sometimes Brian knew what to do. Justin squeezed the hand and saw support and understanding on Brian's face.

"In recognition of a unique and sometimes disturbing style, the Young Artist of the 2004 PIFA Student Art Show is … Justin Taylor."

Justin felt the smile spread across his face. He was the best. He felt Brian's arms come around him and pull him into a warm hug. He hugged back so happy in the moment.

"Justin, would you come forward, please?"

Justin released Brian and began moving towards the microphone. The professor introduced him to the audience and commented on Justin's hard work. Justin thanked the professor for his kind words and the judges for selecting his work. There was a large round of applause as Justin stepped down from the elevated platform. He looked around for Brian.

Over at the back of the room Brian was surrounded by the only television crew that was in attendance. They were interviewing Brian.

"Shit!" Justin said as he glared in that direction.

"Seems like the star of the moment is your partner, not you," Rod said coming up beside him.

"Yeah," Justin said brusquely.

"Come get a cup of coffee," Rod ordered hoping to distract Justin.

"Justin, over here," the interviewer who had been talking to Brian called. Justin hesitated not sure that he wanted to talk to either of them.

"You better go," Rod said giving Justin a little shove.

Justin walked reluctantly towards the lights and the videographer. As Justin approached, the woman stuck a microphone in his face and asked, "How does it feel to be judged best in the show?"

Justin relaxed a little. At least the question was about the show and his work. "It feels… um… great."

She turned immediately to Brian. "So Mr. Mayor, I guess you're proud of your partner?"

"Of course I am," Brian said testily.

"Justin, are you pleased the mayor was able to make your show tonight?"

"Yes."

"You make a lovely couple," she gushed.

"Excuse me," Brian said, "but this show is about Justin's talent as an artist, not about what a lovely couple we make."

Justin glanced up at Brian and smiled gratefully. The man was trying.

"Mr. Mayor, do you find it difficult with your schedule to attend functions like this with your partner?"

"This interview is over," Brian stated pushing the microphone away. The videographer switched off the light and moved away, giving Brian a funny look. "I'm sorry about that," Brian said looking at Justin and wondering what sort of repercussions would result from the insensitive reporter's actions.

"I'll bet," Justin said uncharitably.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"We need to talk when we get home," Justin said bluntly.

"Sure."

"I have to speak to a few people and then we can leave … or you could go without me and I'll meet you at the loft."

"You want me to go," Brian asked in disbelief. He had busted his balls to get there in the first place.

"I think it might be best."

"But I sent Chuck home," Brian protested. He didn't like the way this was going.

"There are cabs," Justin said speaking to Brian like he was a dimwitted child.

"Fine," Brian replied turning on his heel and pulling out his cell phone to call a cab.

"Bri…" Justin tried to relent, but his partner was already heading for the door.

He sighed and went to talk to the judges to get some feedback about what they liked in his work.

-----

Brian paced the loft. What the hell had happened at the art show? He ran his hand through his hair. He had raced to the show after the committee meeting ran long. He had to stay for the vote to allocate more money for public transit because he knew it was going to be close. He would have been the deciding vote. As it turned out, his vote wasn't needed, but he hadn't wanted to take the chance that it would be.

Chuck had driven like a madman to get him to the show and Justin hadn't even seemed glad to see him … at first. Then he had held Justin's hand while the results were announced and Justin had smiled at him. That was the best part of the evening. The little shit had been named the best … and he was the best.

Then that fucking reporter had cornered him and everything had gone to shit. She wouldn't talk to Justin, always asking Brian how he thought Justin had done or how he felt about his talented partner. Brian had sent her away but Justin didn't seem to appreciate that. He had sent Brian away immediately after.

Now Brian had nothing to do but wait and pace. He hoped Justin came home soon. They needed to get some things settled.

What seemed like hours later the loft door slid back and Justin stepped in. Brian was on the sofa watching the TV with the sound off. He turned it off completely and stood up hoping Justin's mood had improved. The boy didn't look happy.

"What happened tonight?" Brian said as Justin hung up his coat.

"Why were you late?" Justin asked ignoring Brian's question.

"There was a vote at the committee meeting. It was going to be close and I would be the deciding vote. It was for more public transit money," Brian added knowing that was a topic Justin felt strongly about.

"Oh."

"Is that it?" Brian asked when Justin added nothing more.

"Yeah."

"Justin, what the fuck is going on?"

Justin took a deep breath. "I hated the way that reporter treated me. It was like I was invisible at my own show."

"I know. That's why I told her the interview was over."

"Yeah, you did."

Brian waited hoping Justin would say something else. "What more could I have done?"

"Nothing, I guess."

"Tell me what's wrong," Brian pleaded.

"I'm not sure I can do this anymore."

"Do what?" Brian asked fearfully. Justin shook his head. "Tell me what you mean," Brian insisted. "Are you talking about doing art shows, about doing interviews, about doing me?"

Justin giggled in spite of himself. Brian could always make him laugh. That was one of the things he loved about the man. But was it, and everything else, enough anymore? He didn't know.

Brian stared at Justin hopefully. He took it as a good sign that Justin had laughed at his little bon mot.

Justin took a deep breath and steeled himself. "I want to tell you some things. I'd really appreciate if you wouldn't interrupt or judge until I'm finished. Do you think you can do that?"

Brian nodded. "I'll try," he said softly. He thought maybe he was going to get the whole story this time and he wasn't at all sure that he was going to like it.

Justin took Brian's hand and pulled him down beside him on the couch. He turned to face him and blue eyes looked unfalteringly into hazel ones.

"I love you, Brian. I've told you that many times, and I think you love me although you never say it." Brian made a face and seemed about to speak. Justin put his finger on Brian's lips to stop him. "No talking, remember." Brian nodded. "I hated what happened with that reporter tonight, and I know that it wasn't your fault. I've told you that I feel like my life is being swallowed up in yours. Tonight was a prime example. It was supposed to be my night, especially after the judges picked my work as the best."

"It was the best," Brian said when Justin paused.

"How do you even know that?" Justin questioned. "You arrived late, every inch the mayor. You had no time to look at my work let alone anyone else's. But that isn't even the real problem. I think I could handle all of that. I have been doing that for over a year now. When you got drunk after Angela died, you pushed me away and slammed that fucking hotel room door in my face." Justin looked at the floor unable to face Brian at that moment.

"I apologized," Brian whispered.

"I know you did. I appreciated that, but does it ever occur to you how much you hurt me when you do something like that?" Justin looked at Brian who seemed unable to answer. "When you promised to come to the show tonight as my partner and not the mayor, I was so happy. Then you arrive late and make that grand entrance. I know I should be grateful that you found the time to be there, but all it did was set the stage for what happened with that reporter. I would rather that you had said you couldn't come at all and I could have asked my mother."

"You don't want me there?"

"Of course I want you there, but not like what happened. I guess what I'm trying to say is … I can handle being pushed away by you sometimes and I can handle living in your shadow. But I can't handle both. I don't want to do this anymore."

"Does that mean that you're leaving … that we're through?"

"I don't see what else I can do."

Brian swallowed hard. "It's your call," he said. "It always has been." The hurt on Justin's face as he heard those words once again grabbed at Brian's gut and he knew he couldn't leave it like that. "But know that I want you to stay. Don't go."

Justin stared into Brian's eyes. He never thought he would hear Brian say that. "I don't think I can," he whispered.

Brian blinked understanding how close he was to losing the most important person in his life. "What … what if we … compromise?"

"How can we compromise?" Justin asked not knowing what Brian was thinking.

"What if I promise to do my very best not to push you away, and I mean my very best. Now that I know how it makes you feel, I'll really try not to … hurt you." Justin nodded. "And I'll stop being mayor at the end of my term. That's about ten months from now. I know that's a long time, but do you think you could stick it out that long?"

Justin stared back at Brian hearing the sincerity in his words. "You'd do that … for me? Give up being mayor?"

Brian nodded. "I'd quit right now, but you know I'm not a quitter. I took this on and I'm going to finish it." Justin nodded. "I swear I'll do my best to make it right."

"If you could just trust me like you trust Michael," Justin said.

"But you're not like Michael." Justin looked hurt by those words. "You're much more important. I don't want to put you through all my shit."

"That's your first mistake. I want to be part of your shit. I want to be part of everything where you're concerned."

"Even if it's really gross shit?" Brian asked with a grin.

Justin giggled. "Especially the really stinky stuff. Just trust me, Brian."

"I do, even if I don't always show it."

"I love you."

"I know, Sunshine. Come here."

Justin slid across the sofa and into Brian's arms. The kiss was soft and gentle and held all the promises that Brian had made. They melted into each other. Gradually the passion grew and they both knew how they would seal their bargain. They could do this for ten months. They intended to do this forever.

Chapter 42 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 42 *

Brian had fifteen minutes until the next meeting. He sat down behind his desk and took a deep breath. The committee meetings the last couple of weeks had just about driven him to distraction. If he could get through the rest of this fucking week they would be over for awhile. All of the committees would have their allocations and their agendas and their priorities. Maybe things would slack off for a bit.

Brian thought back to Justin's art show. He had really screwed up, being late and making that entrance, even though he hadn't intended it to come off that way. He had tried to make it right but Justin had told him to go home. For a while there he had been afraid, yes afraid, that Justin wasn't going to come home at all. Finally Justin had arrived and told Brian that he didn't want to do this anymore. He was prepared to leave. That had really scared the shit out of Brian. He didn't know exactly when he had come to depend on Justin so much, but he knew he could not imagine a life without his partner in it.

They had compromised. Brian had agreed to not run again for mayor and try not to push Justin away when things didn't go right. Justin in turn wanted to be part of everything that happened in Brian's life. He wanted to share the awful stuff as well as the good. Brian wasn't sure that Justin really understood everything that that would entail. There were a lot of bad things that Brian had to deal with and they tended to set him off when something new happened that didn't go the way he wanted. He had promised not to shut Justin out of those things and he would do his very best to keep that promise.

He wished he hadn't ruined the art show for him though. That should have been Justin's big moment and it had been ruined by Brian arriving late and that fucking reporter asking all her dumbass questions. He wished there was something he could do to make that better.

"Cynthia," he said pushing the intercom button on the phone.

"Yes, boss?"

"Are there any functions or commitments for this weekend?"

"No."

"How do you know that so fucking quickly?" Brian asked with a chuckle. Usually she would say that she would check and let him know.

"I know you have been working long hours even after I leave every day, so I cleared the weekend. You can sleep or fuck or whatever you want to do. Your time's your own."

"That's my girl," Brian responded.

Cynthia felt herself blush. "I hope that was the right thing to do."

"Definitely, but I have a little job for you because of that."

"Oh?"

"Yeah," Brian said and he proceeded to explain what he wanted her to do.

A couple of hours later Cynthia came into his office carrying a folder containing a sheaf of papers. She laid it triumphantly on top of the other folders on Brian's desk. She hoped he would be pleased with what she had found, when he came back from his meeting. She wasn't sure why he had asked for this information but she could imagine all kinds of possibilities. She hoped one of the hopelessly romantic scenarios she had dreamed up might be the correct one. She smiled as she walked out of the office and closed the door behind her.

Cynthia had gone home hours before Brian returned to the office. The fucking committee meeting was finally over. He had two more tomorrow and one on Friday morning and then they were done. He could never understand why people felt the need to state their opinion ad infinitum, even when it agreed with everything that had already been said. He supposed they all wanted their names on the record as to where they stood on each item. If they would just shut up and vote, the meetings would take one fifteenth of the time that they did.

Brian rubbed his temples. He was getting a headache. He didn't think he had eaten anything today. The meeting before lunch had run over lunch and then he had had only that fifteen minutes before the next meeting began. His stomach rumbled in acknowledgement.

He wondered if Justin was home and if he had eaten. He picked up his phone and hit number one. That was home and Justin. He smiled as he waited. He hoped Justin would be there. It rang three times and he was about to hang up in disappointment when he heard, "Hello?"

"Justin, is that you?"

"Um … yeah," Justin said sleepily. "What time is it? Where are you?"

"It's eight-thirty. Another fucking committee meeting ran long. Were you asleep?"

"Yeah, I laid down on the couch after I got home and I guess I fell asleep."

"You're not sick, are you?"

"No, I'm just catching up from the show and everything. I was waiting for you."

Brian smiled. He liked that Justin was waiting for him. "Have you eaten?"

"No, and I'm starved."

"Do you want to call the Thai place and order us something? I could pick it up on the way home and we could eat together for once."

"That sounds great," Justin said with a smile. Brian had promised to try to put him first and he really seemed to be keeping that promise, even with their impossible schedules.

"Make the order. I'll be leaving in about fifteen minutes. Home in forty-five."

"Hurry. My stomach is grumbling at me."

"Mine too," Brian admitted.

"Later," Justin said.

"Later," Brian said with a smile as he replaced the receiver on the phone.

He picked up the folders on his desk and flipped through them. He smiled as he saw the one he had specially requested from Cynthia. The information looked just like what he wanted. He stuffed them into his briefcase and grabbed his coat.

It was almost an hour later when Brian walked into the loft. He set the Thai food on the counter and noticed that there were plates set out on the coffee table. Where was Justin?

"Justin?" he called.

"Up here," Justin said from the bathroom.

"Are you all right?"

"I'm allowed to pee, aren't I?" Justin asked as he appeared at the top of the steps.

"I suppose bodily functions do have to be taken care of," Brian said philosophically as he hung up his coat.

"I'm planning to take care of some other bodily functions once I've eaten," Justin said with a grin.

"I'm counting on that."

"Then get changed. It will be easier to get you out of your sweats than out of that suit."

"I'm on my way."

"I'll dish up some food. Want a beer?"

"Please."

Justin went to the counter and began unpacking the food. He smiled to himself. He liked it when Brian was warm and funny and caring like tonight. Then it seemed like he had made the right decision to stay with Brian and ride out the next ten months. He wished they could have more times like this, but their schedules always seemed to work against them.

He carried the containers of food over to the coffee table and set them out. He returned to the kitchen and grabbed a couple of beers out of the fridge. He was carrying them to the sofa when Brian appeared in his old worn sweats. He pulled Justin against him and kissed him heartily, then took a beer and downed about half of it.

"Tastes good," he said. "So do you."

Justin smiled. "Let's eat."

They sat companionably on the sofa and enjoyed the Thai food. They made some small talk but mostly ate in silence, each being very hungry.

Finally Brian put down his plate and stretched. "That was good. We don't get to eat together enough."

"There's lots of things we don't get to do together," Justin couldn't help but add.

Brian stared at him wondering how much resentment about the art show still lingered. And there were lots of other things that Justin had every right to resent as well. He made his decision.

"Do you have anything planned this weekend?" Brian asked.

"Nothing except a shift at the diner on Saturday."

"Can you get out of it?"

"Maybe, why?"

"I have a surprise for you if you can."

"A surprise?" Justin asked with a big grin on his face. "What is it?"

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you."

"But … don't I need to know what to wear … or …?" Justin stared helplessly at Brian.

"Who said you would need to wear anything?" Brian smirked.

The smile quickly faded from Justin's face. "I see," he said, "another marathon fuckfest chez Kinney. I should have known."

"I was teasing, Justin," Brian replied testily. "Actually you do need to pack."

"Pack? Where are we going?" The sunshine smile was back.

"I'm not telling but you'll need enough clothes for the weekend, at least one nice outfit and some casual wear."

"You're not teasing this time, are you?" Justin asked with a frown unsure whether he could believe Brian or not.

"I'm not teasing. That's what you'll need. I'll let you know what time you need to be ready on Friday when I finalize everything."

Justin slid closer to Brian. "Can you give me a teensy hint where we're going?" he pleaded. His hand rubbed across Brian's chest and he leaned into him.

"Well … let's see. You'll like it."

"That's no hint. It doesn't tell me anything."

"That's all you're getting. I don't want to spoil the surprise."

"Thank you," Justin said tilting his head to kiss Brian. "Thank you."

"You will like it," Brian said and captured the offered lips in a long, hard kiss. They both knew what was coming next.

-----

Friday afternoon Justin waited at the loft. He had been packed for a couple of hours and was now starting to get antsy wondering if Brian would be delayed or would let him down again. True to his word the loft door slid back at 5 pm. Brian smiled as he saw Justin standing beside his suitcase.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Absolutely," Justin replied taking the handle of his suitcase. "Let's go."

Brian grabbed his suitcase which had been standing near the door where he left it all ready in the morning. They went down in the elevator to find Chuck waiting with the limo. He stored their cases in the trunk and they set off. Brian didn't say anything to him, so Chuck must already have been given his instructions.

Brian watched with amusement as Justin fidgeted. He kept looking out the window at things they passed, probably trying to figure out where they might be headed.

"We're going to the airport," Justin said triumphantly.

Brian grinned. "Right the first time."

"Oooh, where are we flying to?"

"You'll find out soon enough."

"Meanie," Justin retorted giving him a gentle swat.

"Behave! Bad boys get left behind."

"You wouldn't dare!"

"You're right, I wouldn't dare. I wouldn't want to."

Justin smiled at him, a smile that continued until they arrived at one part of the terminal where Chuck stopped. They got out and Brian led them inside trailing their suitcases. Chuck called to them to have fun before he pulled away.

At the check-in counter Justin realized they were going to Chicago. He grabbed Brian's arm as they gathered up their boarding passes and moved away.

"Why Chicago?" Justin asked.

"Why not?"

"Brian," Justin whined.

"I've been there lots of times on business and hardly seen anything. It's supposed to be a great city and it's not too far, since we only have the weekend."

"A great weekend," Justin smiled.

"We can make one."

"Yes, we can," Justin agreed squeezing Brian's hand.

The flight was uneventful and they landed on time. It was dark by then, but Brian shelled out for a limo and talked to the driver while Justin got in. They took off with Brian still not saying where they were going.

Not quite an hour later the limo pulled into a circular driveway bathed in blue neon.

"I can see why you chose this place," Justin said with a chuckle as he got out of the limo. "Reminds me of good times."

Brian smiled. There had been good times and bad times under the blue neon in his bedroom, in their bedroom. "I guess I'm a sucker for blue. This is called The House of Blues Hotel."

"Sounds neat," Justin said as the bellboy cruised Brian and organized their bags on a cart.

The lobby was almost overwhelming with bright colors, a lot of red and patterns. There was a huge set of statues in the center arranged in a circle looking out over all aspects of the lobby. They seemed to support the ceiling. The bar called the Kaz Bar was under a striped tent-like canopy. Justin kept turning around back and forth to take it all in, his hand never leaving Brian's.

They checked in and the bellboy led them to their room and was quickly sent away by Brian.

"He wanted you," Justin said knowingly.

"I don't want him. What I want is right here," Brian grinned and Justin launched himself into Brian's waiting arms. It didn't take them long to christen their king-size bed hung with drapery like a Moroccan palace bed.

When they finally stopped and snuggled against each other, Justin had time to look around the room. It was orange.

"Hey, orange and blue, your two favorite colors."

"Yeah," Brian chuckled. "I didn't know the whole room would be orange though."

"It's cool. Look at the carpet, all that pattern and yet it fits together."

"It is a little overpowering," Brian admitted.

"I love it! Oh, look. The mirror on the wall is a seven pointed star."

"Is that significant?"

"Not really, but it's very hard to get a symmetrical seven-pointed star. I used one in an art project once and I spent days trying to get it even. I love that you chose this. Thank you."

"You can thank me again right now," Brian grinned placing Justin's hand on his rapidly thickening cock.

They spent the first night of their Chicago adventure in bed, and even managed to get a little sleep. When they awoke they made love slowly and tenderly. Breakfast was room service so that they could continue their activities while feeding each other and gaining a little needed sustenance.

By late morning they were ready to venture forth. They went down to talk to the concierge each explaining what they wanted to do. Brian wanted to hit some stores like Neiman Marcus, Armani or Hugo Boss. Justin wanted to visit the Art Institute of Chicago. They thought they might try some clubs that night. With the concierge's help they mapped out a plan of attack.

They spent Saturday afternoon on Michigan Avenue. They hit Neiman Marcus and Armani. Brian bought a new suit that he absolutely had to have. He insisted on buying Justin a beautiful gold sweater that made him look like the sun when he smiled.

When they finally returned to the hotel, they asked the concierge to recommend somewhere nearby for dinner. They enjoyed a great seafood place that he directed them to. Afterwards they checked out the House of Blues night club that was next door to the hotel. The concierge was able to get them tickets for Tantric w/ Shinedown and Silvertide. Justin thought Ben would approve. It wasn't exactly their cup of tea but they stayed for awhile and enjoyed most of the show.

Following that the concierge had told them the "in" club to go to was called the Circuit Night Club. It was a lot like Babylon but had no backroom. Brian was disappointed by that, but Justin reminded him that he was mayor and shouldn't be in a backroom even if it was available. They danced a bit and surveyed the crowd made up of gay, bi, lesbian, trans, you name it. They were all having a good time and so did Justin and Brian. They got hit on a few times but were so absorbed in each other that they hardly noticed.

A little after midnight Justin leaned in to Brian and shouted above the sound system, "Let's get out of here!"

Brian grinned and happy to oblige he headed for the coat check to retrieve their coats. They grabbed a cab and were back at the hotel in no time. The door to their room had hardly closed behind them when they were pulling off each other's clothes. Another night of fucking and sucking ensued. Somehow they were making up for all the times their schedules had prevented them from being together. They connected on so many levels that night.

As dawn began to brighten the sky, they fell asleep and didn't wake until almost eleven o'clock. They had to check out by noon, so they showered and packed. They stored their luggage with the concierge and went to have some lunch in the hotel dining room. It was very sleek and modern and the food was good.

"Off to the Art Institute of Chicago?" Brian asked as they finished eating.

"You don't have to if you don't want to," Justin conceded.

"I want to," Brian stated. "We decided what we were going to do and that was today's item. You shopped with me yesterday.

Justin smiled. Brian was really making an effort. "Let's go," he said taking Brian's hand.

They spent the afternoon in the Institute looking at all the great paintings. Seeing them through Justin's eyes made them much more interesting for Brian. As the afternoon wore on they were thinking of leaving when they noticed a special exhibit for Black History Month. It was the work of an African-American photographer named James VanDerZee. Justin grabbed a brochure and read to Brian:

"VanDerZee captured beautiful black women and handsome black men and pretty black children, pleated and pressed in their Sunday best, who through his lens rose above the poverty of their daily existence to display their true gifts of promise."

"Let's have a look," Brian said. Photography had always interested him.

They walked into the gallery and the first thing they noticed was a portrait of Bill Cosby as a handsome, debonair young man seated on a chair. He seemed to project all the things he would become later in his life.

"This guy had a great eye and amazing sense of style," Brian commented.

They moved on to portraits of Muhammad Ali and Cicely Tyson and other black actors. But most interesting were the portraits of people who were not famous, but were clearly dressed in their best outfits or shown doing their profession, like the group of boxers or the jazz musicians. Both of them enjoyed looking at VanDerZee's work.

By the time they were done they had to race back to the hotel, pick up their luggage and head directly to the airport. You had to check in so early now with all the security restrictions that they barely made their flight.

Once they were settled in their seats Justin leaned against Brian and whispered, "You were right, I loved it."

Brian smiled. "So did I."

"We should do this more often, just get away by ourselves."

"You're right," Brian agreed.

"Could we?" Justin asked amazed by this new, considerate Brian.

"What if we made a bargain that every time one of us has a special thing happen, like your art show, we do something to celebrate it?"

"This from the man who doesn't believe in celebrating birthdays?"

"You'll never let me forget that, will you?"

Justin shook his head. "Never."

"This is celebrating achievements, special moments," Brian explained.

"I'm in," Justin said decisively.

"You are?"

"Of course, what's not to like about this idea?"

"You're so agreeable," Brian smirked.

"When you are, I can be too."

Brian studied this smart, beautiful young man sitting beside him. He heard the truth of what Justin had said and renewed his determination to make sure that he was agreeable and that he would continue to show Justin how appreciative he was of what they had.

Chapter 43 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 43 *

"Brian, have you seen this?" Cynthia asked dropping a newspaper in front of him and pointing to an article. It was titled "New Vigilante Group - Cause for Worry?"

Brian shook his head as he picked up the paper and began reading. The article talked about a spate of recent gay bashings including one against a female impersonator called Shanda Leer. It had happened just off Liberty Avenue. Brian was pretty sure that Justin had mentioned that he knew Darren. That was Shanda's real name. Justin had been quite upset by the whole incident, but Brian hadn't paid a whole lot of attention. Now it seemed there were groups of vigilantes calling themselves the Pink Posse patrolling the area around Liberty Avenue.

"What does this have to do with me?" Brian asked Cynthia.

"It's your city. Do you think the public is going to be happy with bands of roving vigilantes walking the streets?"

"But it won't have anything to do with the general population," Brian said. "What do they care? It's only fags."

Cynthia made a face. "Sometimes you are dense as a hunk of granite."

Brian shot her a look. "I know I fulfill the hunk part," he said with his tongue stuck in his cheek, "but why am I dense?"

Cynthia sighed. "You're a fag," she stated using his own words. "Don't you think people, and the press in particular, are going to want to know where you stand on this issue?"

Brian groaned. He could see the problem now. If he condemned vigilante groups and the violence they implied, he would alienate a lot of gays who felt it was time to stand up to gay bashings. He actually agreed with the vigilante group on some level, especially if it was used to protect someone who was being attacked. If he supported the vigilantes though, he was saying that the police didn't protect all of its citizens in Pittsburgh. He was admitting that his administration had failed in that area. He could also be condemned for favoring a violent solution to a problem. He groaned louder.

"I see you get it … finally."

"Yes, dear."

"So how are you going to handle it? You know the inevitable questions are coming."

"Fuck if I know! I need to think about it."

"Don't take too long," Cynthia advised as she went back to her own desk.

Brian wondered how he was going to find a middle ground on this issue … and if that was really what he wanted to do.

-----

When Brian arrived home Justin was not there. That bothered him. He wanted to talk to Justin about the whole vigilante business, get his take on it.

Brian rummaged through the fridge finding enough leftovers to make a sandwich. He wondered where the fuck Justin was. He had come to rely on Justin being there when he arrived home and having dinner on the table all ready for him. This evening was not going the way he wanted.

About an hour later the loft door slid back and Justin walked in.

"Hey," Justin said.

"Hey. Where have you been?"

"I went to take Darren something to eat. I stayed and had a sandwich with him."

"Are you his nurse and protector now?"

"What?"

"You heard me."

"Yeah, I heard you, but I don't understand the sarcasm. You should see him, Brian. His face is beat in, his arm is broken and he may have a permanent limp."

"I'm sorry for what happened to him, but why do you have to get involved?"

"I like Darren and he needs help right now. Do you have any idea how hard it is to do things with one hand, let alone with only one good leg as well?"

"No, and I don't plan to find out," Brian said snarkily.

"Darren didn't plan to find out either." Justin glared at Brian. Sometimes he could be so cruel.

"Do you want a beer?" Brian asked.

Justin knew that was Brian's way of saying he was sorry for the comment he had just made. If Brian felt he was right in what he said the argument would continue or he would walk away refusing to say anything further. If Brian realized he had made a mistake he would change the subject and make some minor concession. The offer of a beer was a minor concession. It had taken Justin a long time to figure out this change of subject and that it really was an admission of error on Brian's part.

"Sure," Justin agreed going to sit on the sofa.

Brian handed him a beer before joining him on the sofa. "Is Darren going to be all right?" he asked.

Justin shook his head. "Physically he'll recover, but it will be slow. He will probably have a limp. But it's his spirit that I'm worried about."

"Why?"

"The fight's gone out of him. He says he's not going to identify his attackers if they are caught."

"Why the fuck not?"

"He's afraid they'll be let off with a slap on the wrist…" Justin left the rest of that thought unspoken.

"Like Chris Hobbs?"

Justin nodded. "Yeah. He thinks they'll come after him again if he testifies against them."

"But they could be thrown in jail for a long time."

"The operative word is 'could'," Justin stated.

"If they're arrested for a hate crime, they would be put away for a long time."

"There's no guarantee of that, even if Darren testifies. The jury will likely be straight. And after all Darren's just a fag."

"Stop that," Brian ordered.

"Why? It's the truth. Look what happened at Chris Hobbs' trial. A lenient or homophobic judge and nothing happens to the guy swinging the bat."

Justin watched Brian cringe at his words. The whole prom thing and the bashing would always be there between them. He wasn't sure they would ever truly get over it. They didn't talk about it and they tried not to think about it, but it was always there. There was no escape.

"I wanted to ask you something relating to what happened to Darren," Brian said seriously.

Justin wondered what was coming. "So ask."

"Have you heard of this vigilante group that's started up?"

"You mean the Pink Posse? I was thinking of joining."

"What?"

"I was thinking of joining," Justin repeated. Brian looked horrified. "I'm sick of nothing happening to the fucking assholes who beat up someone like Darren … and me."

"But you're not really going to join … are you?"

"I want to. Somebody needs to protect those who can't protect themselves."

"You think it's all right to take the law into your own hands?"

"The Pink Posse will only defend people who are being attacked. They're not going to take the initiative to attack someone."

"So that makes it all right?"

"As far as I'm concerned it does."

"How do you know that's all they'll do?"

"I checked them out," Justin stated flatly.

"What does that mean?" Brian asked with a frown.

"I talked to their leader. He's a reasonable guy."

Brian snorted. "You're serious about joining?"

"I really was."

"Past tense?" Brian asked hopefully.

"Past tense," Justin admitted. "I'm not going to join."

"Why? What changed your mind?"

"You."

"Me?"

Justin nodded. "I really seriously considered joining them. I think there's a place for what they're doing. The gay community doesn't have to put up with that shit. We need to stand up for ourselves." Brian frowned again at Justin's words. He knew there was truth in what he was saying. "But then I remembered how this would affect you. I decided not to join." Justin saw Brian let out a long breath. "I also realized that I have an in with the mayor." Justin grinned. "I thought the mayor might be able to do something to make the Pink Posse unnecessary."

"Like what?" Brian asked.

"I thought maybe you could bring the conditions that created the need for a Pink Posse to the forefront of public attention. You could take a stand about gay bashings. You could make it clear to the police and the legal system that you want gay bashers prosecuted to the full extent of the law."

"I could do that, could I?" Brian stared into Justin's eyes.

"I thought maybe you could, or was I wrong?"

"What would you do if I didn't stand up for our community?" Brian asked making quotation marks with his fingers around the last two words.

Justin knew that Brian always refused to consider himself part of any community, but he was hoping that attitude might have changed since Brian became mayor. "I would join the Pink Posse," Justin stated flatly.

"Fuck, Justin! Is this blackmail?"

"I'm not blackmailing you. You asked me what I would do and I told you. You do what you have to do and I'll do what I have to."

Brian knew he meant it. Justin didn't say things like this lightly.

"So what do you think?" Justin asked.

"I think I need to consider all sides of this question," Brian stated refusing to be forced into a quick choice.

"Fine," Justin said staring at him. He knew Brian had already made his choice. He always collected all the facts and used his gut instincts to decide. Justin hoped he would make the right choice, but this was Brian he was dealing with. Nothing was ever for certain.

"Want to call it an early night?" Brian asked.

Justin knew this was Brian's version of a peace offering. He was also testing the waters to see if Justin was going to hold his position or lack thereof on this issue against him.

"Sure," Justin said with a grin. "But know that I meant what I said," he felt compelled to add.

Brian gave a slight tongue in cheek smirk and Justin knew that he fully understood.

-----

Hours later Brian was still awake. Justin slept peacefully beside him. He studied the boy carefully. He watched the gentle rise and fall of Justin's chest, the way his mouth hung slightly open, the sense of warmth and security that he emitted. Brian's hand caressed the side of Justin's face. The boy shifted in his sleep and sighed.

It was still somewhat of a mystery to Brian why Justin was here, why he stayed and put up with all Brian's shit, why he loved him. He always marveled at Justin's commitment to him. However, he was grateful for the boy's faith in him. He never wanted to let him down.

This whole Pink Posse thing was a colossal pain in the ass. Brian thought he knew what he was going to do about it, what he was going to say. And he had no intention of letting Justin blackmail him into siding with the Posse.

Something had been nagging at him ever since he had read that article that Cynthia had given him. There was something familiar about the whole thing but he couldn't put his finger on it. These vigilantes saw themselves as saviors, protectors, guardian angels. That was it. In the eighties, when he had been a teenager, he had read about this group in New York City who called themselves the Guardian Angels. They were a group of people who wore berets and rode the subways protecting the riders and scaring off potential criminals or bullies. He remembered now. He had even admired them for taking action.

Was the Pink Posse the same thing? He couldn't remember what had happened to the Guardian Angels. He thought some of them had been arrested, but he also thought the group had spread to other cities. He hadn't heard anything about them in years. He wondered whether they even existed anymore.

He knew he wasn't going to sleep any time soon so he slid out of bed and went to the computer. He typed in Guardian Angels and hit search.

Sure enough, they still existed. The red beret was the symbol of the group. He remembered that now. Apparently the Angels had become legitimized over the years and were now a credible volunteer organization found in schools, business and even homeland security. They also had an internet component called Cyberangels which scrutinized activities on the web. Curtis Sliwa who had founded the group in the Bronx had wanted to build self-esteem in his volunteers and make them proud members of their community. No weapons were allowed and volunteers never initiated trouble. They were there to help and protect. Brian ran off the pages of information.

He went back to bed where he studied Justin's sleeping profile a little longer. Finally he managed to get a couple of hours of sleep.

-----

When Brian arrived at the office the next day Cynthia informed him that he had two requests for interviews about the vigilante group.

"They sure as fuck don't waste any time," Brian said.

"I warned you."

"Set up a press conference for this afternoon."

"Are you sure?" Cynthia asked with a frown.

"I'm sure," Brian replied and he was.

Cynthia raised her eyebrows, but she went back to her desk to start arranging things.

At two pm. Brian entered the conference room that they used for press briefings. The room was not packed, but certainly full. Brian glanced around. He wondered how his statement would be received.

He cleared his throat and began. "I have had requests for interviews about the Pink Posse phenomenon. I can only assume that you think I have some inside information about them because I'm gay." That got the required chuckles. "Well, I don't have any connections with this group." He could say that honestly knowing that Justin had not joined, at least not yet.

"I do not condone vigilante activities." There was a little buzz at that statement. "But…" He waited to regain their attention. "I'm not sure if this group should be classified that way." Several reporters had their hands up and some called out questions.

Brian raised his hand. "Please let me finish." When the audience settled down he continued. "Most of you know that my partner, Justin Taylor, was the victim of a bashing … which I witnessed. In fact I took a baseball bat to the … culprit's knee. At that moment I wanted to stop him from escaping but I would have liked to use that bat on his head just like he used it on Justin's. I thought that justice would prevail and the basher would be punished. Instead, he got 500 hours of community service and Justin got brain damage and nightmares."

Brian could see the audience squirm. "The reason I'm bringing this up is because I want you to know, and I want the gay community to know, that I understand why the Pink Posse has come into existence. Some of you may remember the Guardian Angels from the 1980's. They came about for the same reason - in response to a feeling of powerlessness and a need to do something to improve their community. They had a very bad rap at the beginning. They were called thugs and vigilantes, until people gradually realized that they were safer riding the subways with the Angels there than they were without. The Angels never used weapons and they were never the instigators. If the Pink Posse adopts the same philosophy, I have no problem with them."

There were rumblings from the press. "But…" Brian silenced them. "I truly wish there was no need for such a group. That could be accomplished if the legal system would enforce the hate laws. In the case of gay bashings they are often bypassed and as a result the basher is charged with simple assault and gets off with a slap on the wrist. I'm calling on our police force and prosecutors to start putting some teeth into the hate laws. When this happens, we may no longer need the Pink Posse, but I won't be holding my breath."

The audience looked ready to explode. "I have one final thing to say," Brian added. "I checked on the Guardian Angels on the internet last night. They still exist and have evolved into a respected volunteer organization. I would have thought they would be long gone, but things don't change nearly as fast or as much as we might like."

And then the questions began.

-----

It was late and Brian was tired by the time he got home. He pulled back the door to the loft wondering what awaited him tonight.

He immediately found his arms full of Justin.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," Justin said between kisses.

"What?" Brian asked appearing bewildered but smiling inside.

"I saw your press conference on the news," Justin grinned.

"Oh that? Did you approve?"

"I so approve. You did exactly what I hoped you would do. You're so smart."

"I thought you were the one with the 1500 SAT's."

"I am, but you're brilliant."

"Jesus, it's taken you long enough to figure that out," Brian said his tongue in cheek.

"I got it … and so did you." Brian raised an eyebrow implying he needed an explanation. "You listened to me and you understood … about the bashing, about how I was feeling, about why the Pink Posse is important."

"I was there too, Sunshine."

"I know. It was hard for both of us. Maybe what you said today can start to make some of it right."

Brian frowned. "Don't get your hopes up too much. Did you hear what I said about the Angels?"

Justin nodded. "They're still needed. I understand that we can't fix everything, but it was so important to me that you tried. You started something today."

"I hope so," Brian said still doubting how effective his speech would be.

"Come to bed and I'll show you how much I appreciate your efforts."

Brian leaned down and gave Justin a long, slow, excruciatingly sweet kiss. Then he dragged his blond twink up the steps to claim his reward.

Chapter 44 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 44 *

"Brian," Geoffrey said rushing into the mayor's office.

"What?' Brian demanded. He was in the middle of reading another fucking report and didn't appreciate being interrupted. It was uncharacteristic of Geoffrey to enter without knocking, now that he thought about it. "What's got your panties in a twist?"

"I just received two notifications," he said rather breathlessly.

"Did you now? And this is important because…?" Brian asked holding out one hand palm up. Geoffrey must get hundreds of notifications a week. Brian wondered what had him so riled up.

"One's from the President," he said.

"President of what?"

"Of the United States!"

"Are you shitting me?" Brian asked.

"No," Geoffrey said slightly offended that Brian would think he would make up something like that. "He's coming here in two weeks to campaign."

"Shit!" Brian reacted. "What does that mean for the city … and us?"

"Major disruptions."

"Don't they take care of the crap surrounding a visit like that themselves?"

"Most of it. You know, secret service and all that stuff."

"So what do we have to do?"

"Secure the venues and make sure that we have police available to augment the feds and to deal with traffic, et cetera."

"Traffic?" Brian asked.

"Oh, they'll expect streets to be blocked off for the motorcade and a perimeter sealed off around the rally point."

"Christ, can't we just tell him to go to some other unsuspecting city like … Philadelphia."

Geoffrey actually laughed out loud at that.

"What's so fucking funny?" Brian asked.

"They'll only be here for a couple of hours. And guess where they go for the rest of the day?"

"Philadelphia," Brian said with a smirk.

"Right," Geoffrey chuckled.

"Poor assholes."

"So we need to start planning this out," Geoffrey said seriously.

"When is this extravaganza supposed to take place again?"

"Two weeks, a Wednesday morning."

"Shit! That's not much time."

"We can do it," said the ever confident Geoffrey.

"Just exactly what will 'we' have to do?" Brian asked suddenly wary.

"I'll notify all the pertinent agencies, police, fire."

"And?"

"And you just have to greet the President when he arrives."

"Greet him? I can't stand the son of a bitch."

"It's traditional," Geoffrey said solemnly. "And the mayor's wife should accompany him," Geoffrey added with an evil glint in his eye.

"Wife?" Brian asked looking at Geoffrey. "Are you implying that I should take Justin with me?"

"Sweet retribution, wouldn't you say?"

"Jesus, Geoffrey, remind me never to get on your bad side. I love it!" Brian stated suddenly seeing some very satisfying moments when he could make Bush want to crawl under a rock. Brian wondered how it would play out in the media when the self-righteous anti-gay President was forced to shake the hand of the openly gay mayor of Pittsburgh and his homosexual partner. Brian smiled. Better yet would be if the asshole refused to shake his hand. That would be all over the press. "That is going to be an extremely interesting day," Brian added. The more he thought about it, the more he liked how this scenario would play out. It would be a win-win situation for him and a lose-lose one for the President. He could hardly wait to tell Justin.

"Do you want to hear the other notification I got this morning?" Geoffrey asked.

Brian wondered what could possibly measure up to the previous announcement. "I know you're going to tell me anyway, so just spit it out."

"Kerry's coming the same day."

Brian almost choked. "The Kerry who's running for President?" he managed to croak out."

"The very same."

"Holy shit!" Brian reacted.

"That's what I thought when the two messages came in within minutes of each other."

"And he's coming the same day as Bush?"

"That's right. He'll be here about an hour after the President arrives."

"This is going to be a nightmare," Brian said shaking his head. He couldn't fathom the logistics of having both men in the city at the same time.

"There's every possibility," Geoffrey admitted. "But we'll try to make it work. With a little luck maybe we can get everything to run smoothly."

"Don't you mean with a lot of luck?" Geoffrey chuckled. "Do I get to meet Kerry too?" Brian asked.

"I think we could schedule that," Geoffrey said seriously.

"And Justin?"

"If you want."

"I want."

"Any particular reason?"

"It might help me decide who to vote for in November," Brian smirked.

Geoffrey almost choked at that statement until he realized that Brian was putting him on.

"Kidding, Geoffrey, kidding!"

"I should damn well hope so."

-----

Two weeks later the mayor's limousine pulled up outside the baseball field at Schenley Park, adjacent to Carnegie Mellon University. This was the site of President Bush's speech and rally in Pittsburgh. Brian and Justin exited the car after Chuck had held the door open for them. Secret service men moved in immediately to verify who they were and give them access to the makeshift stage from which the President would speak.

They had been informed that the President's plane had landed and he was on his way before they left the mayor's office. Justin had gone to work with Brian not wanting to be late or run the risk of something preventing him from getting to the big event.

"Do I look okay?" Justin asked adjusting his tie.

"You always look great," Brian replied.

Justin smiled at him. "That was nice, Brian," he said. "But I know you're the one who always looks great."

"And together we look spectacular," Brian said leaning in to give Justin a quick kiss. Someone cleared his throat behind them. "Yes?" Brian said turning to the secret service agent who had made the noise. The man looked disapprovingly at them. "Is there a problem?" Brian asked staring down the man.

"I would advise you not to do any of that when the President is here," the man said his steely eyes never leaving Brian's.

"Any of what?" Brian asked innocently. Justin could feel the tension in Brian's body as he stood close to him.

"Kissing or whatever you … guys call it."

"Us 'guys' call it kissing just like all you 'guys' do!" Brian spat out.

"Well, whatever it was, don't do it in front of the President … or behind him for that matter," the secret service man answered.

Brian knew he was referring to the time they would be on the stage with Bush. "And just what would happen if I did?" Brian asked defiantly.

"Believe me; you don't want to find out."

Justin squeezed Brian's hand knowing the man was about ready to explode. Brian hated to be told what to do especially something like this. "Brian," Justin cautioned.

"That sounded like a threat, don't you think, Sunshine?"

"Brian…" Justin repeated.

"Maybe we should just leave," Brian said suddenly.

"That might be for the best," the secret service man replied.

"You'd love that, wouldn't you? Drive me out of my own city because I'm gay."

The man shook his head and turned.

"Brian, calm down. We're staying, we're going to shake that asshole's hand and you're going to be in all the papers as a result," Justin said reasonably.

"Fuck them all," Brian said through clenched teeth.

"Don't let them get to you. We came here to make a point. Let's do it."

Brian looked into Justin's clear, blue eyes. "You are so smart and so level-headed," he said softly. "How did I ever survive before you came along?"

"Seems to me you got into a whole lot of trouble before I came along to straighten things out for you," Justin said with a twinkle in his eye.

Brian chuckled. He raised his hand and ran his fingers softly down Justin's cheek. "I am so lucky."

"And don't you forget it!" Justin said with a radiant smile.

"The motorcade just entered the park!" the secret service man said into his mouthpiece. "Places everyone. Keep your eyes peeled."

"Here we go," Justin said. "Behave yourself," he said to Brian as he straightened the man's tie. "You have to be the one to take the high road."

Brian nodded knowing that Justin was right. He followed the secret service man up the steps to the edge of the stage. "Wait here," the man said. "The President will accept your welcome as he makes his way onto the stage."

"Accept my welcome," Brian mumbled in contempt. "I'd like to give him a welcome!"

"Brian…" Justin warned.

The presidential limousine pulled up at the side of the stage. The President emerged as the door was opened for him. The secret service ushered George Bush to the steps leading up to the stage. One of the men whispered in the President's ear. He looked up at Brian and started climbing the steps.

"Mr. Mayor," he said holding out his hand.

"Mr. President," Brian replied trying to sound somewhat sincere. They shook hands. Brian turned slightly and said, "And this is my partner, Justin Taylor."

There was the slightest of hesitation on the President's part and then he shook Justin's hand too. That precious little smirk was all over his face. And then that was that. The President made his way to the center of the stage and began his prepared speech. People cheered in all the right places. Brian and Justin watched from the side of the stage wishing they could leave but knowing they were trapped there until the President exited this venue.

When they finally got back into the limo with Chuck, Brian was like a caged animal.

"I can't believe that all those people in Pittsburgh, in my city," Brian said possessively, "stood for hours waiting for that asshole to arrive and then cheered him incessantly. I thought they were smarter than that."

"What made you think that?"

"They elected me, didn't they?" Brian smirked.

Justin was glad to see some of Brian's equanimity returning. "But only a little over half voted for you," Justin reminded him.

"Twat," Brian snorted but there was affection in the snort. Brian knew it was Justin who kept him grounded.

"This traffic is unbelievable," Chuck said interrupting them.

"Are you surprised?" Brian asked. "They have half the fucking streets in the city blocked off."

They came to an intersection that appeared to be reopening. The President's motorcade must have already passed through. They turned onto one of the streets that the motorcade would have used to return to the airport. Kerry's rally was not too far along this street closer to the airport. Snipers were clearly visible from rooftops as they inched their way closer to the park where Kerry would speak.

"This is scary," Justin said frowning. "Should we need this kind of protection for the leader of the free world?"

"Hell, half the people on Liberty Avenue would kill the son of a bitch … if they gave a fuck," Brian said cynically.

"It just seems that all this shouldn't be necessary," Justin replied.

"In an ideal world…" Brian said. "But this world is far from ideal."

"You do your part to make it better," Justin said looking into the hazel eyes.

Brian knew he was blushing. He couldn't help himself. Justin had that innocent trust in him that always made him feel so special, but also reminded him that he was far from that ideal. It did, however, make him want to be better than he was.

Finally they pulled into the park. Kerry was already speaking as they could hear over the loudspeakers echoing across the park. The crowd was around the same size as the one they had left not too long before.

"The country is really polarized," Brian observed as the limousine came to a stop. "I hope everyone votes this year."

"You think it's going to be close?" Justin asked.

"I'm afraid so, and we don't want an outcome like last time."

"Florida gets the deciding vote once again?" Justin said shaking his head.

"Let's hope not."

Chuck opened the door for them and they stepped out. They were immediately met by another secret service man who didn't look too much different from the asshole that had greeted them at Bush's rally.

"Mayor Kinney?" the man said stepping forward and extending his hand.

Brian nodded and shook the proffered hand. When Brian glanced at Justin the man said, "And this must be your partner, Mr. Taylor."

Brian smiled slightly. "You're very well informed," Brian told him.

"Part of the job," he responded. "You just came from the other rally?"

"Yes," Brian replied. "Looked a lot like this one."

The man snorted. "Mr. Kerry would like to meet you when he's finished speaking."

"Photo op?"

"Of course."

Brian nodded. At least this guy knew the score and didn't seem to be making judgments. That was a refreshing change. Brian knew Kerry would use him to appeal to the gay vote. It would probably go over well in that community to show Kerry having a brief confab with the openly gay mayor of a big city. Brian didn't think Bush would like the publicity his handshake with an openly gay mayor would garner him, however.

They didn't have long to wait for Kerry. He finished his speech to rousing cheers and applause. Then a very strange thing happened. Senator Kerry did not leave the stage. He asked for silence and when there was some calm, he proceeded to explain that he and President Bush were in Pittsburgh at the same time, and that he had hoped to meet the city's fine mayor who was attending both rallies. However, the mayor seemed to have been delayed and he wasn't sure he'd get that opportunity.

Brian could feel his mouth drop open in surprise. He hadn't expected Kerry to care one way or the other. Brian watched the secret service man they had talked to earlier step up behind Kerry and whisper in his ear. Next thing he knew he was being called out onto the stage.

He grabbed Justin's hand and they made their way over to the senator. Kerry held out his hand and shook vigorously. Brian hesitantly introduced Justin who Kerry also shook hands with. Both men were quite surprised by the special treatment.

"I hope Pittsburgh will come through for me the way you did for your mayor," Senator Kerry said. "Thank you, Pittsburgh!" he called. He smiled at Brian and Justin and started off the stage.

"What the fuck just happened?" Justin asked as they watched Kerry climb into his limousine.

"We've been used as a political ploy," Brian said sarcastically.

"Yeah?" Justin asked. "Then why do I feel special?"

"That's what separates a good politician from a crappy one. The good one makes you appreciate that you've been had. The crappy one makes you feel like a piece of shit."

Justin laughed out loud. Brian always could cut through the bullshit and get to the heart of the matter.

-----

The next morning Justin went out early to get the local papers to see what they had to say about the two heavy hitters who had been in town the previous day. When he returned to the loft he was chuckling.

"What's so funny, newsboy?" Brian asked as he came out of the bathroom wiping a towel through his hair.

"These pictures in the Sun," Justin said.

"What pictures?"

"Of us and the President and of you and Senator Kerry."

"Let's see," Brian said reaching for the paper. "Do I look fabulous?"

"See for yourself," Justin chuckled.

Brian looked at the front page of the Sun. There were two photographs side by side. In the first one President Bush was shaking Justin's hand and looking like it was covered in shit. In the second one Brian had a complete look of surprise on his face as Senator Kerry is vigorously shaking his hand.

"I look stunned," Brian said with a scowl.

"And so does Bush," Justin said with a chuckle. "I wonder if he thought he might get AIDS or some other sexually transmitted disease by touching me."

"Probably thought your touch would turn him gay! He wasn't quite so bad with me, but I think he had geared himself up for that. Two fags was more than he bargained for."

"I know," Justin said with a frown.

"But I, on the other hand, always want to touch you," Brian said pulling Justin against his towel clad body.

"I know that too, but it makes me feel less than human when I get a reaction like the President's."

"I'm sorry he did that," Brian said kissing Justin on the forehead. "Let's hope other people see what he's really like from that picture."

"If it awakens the public to what they're dealing with, then I guess it was worth it," Justin said trying to be philosophical.

"Did you read the headline?" Brian asked.

"No, I was too busy looking at the pictures. What does it say?"

"Presidential Candidates Meet Their Match."

"Oh, fuck!" Justin giggled. "I wonder who thought that up."

"Whoever it was should get a Pulitzer," Brian said with a grin.

"Do you think anybody will see what we see when they look at that picture?"

"Not likely. They see what they want to see."

"So it didn't do much good?"

"In a close election every vote is going to count. Maybe the anti-gay vote will see this as Bush condoning our 'lifestyle' as they would call it. If we subtracted a few votes, then it was worth it."

"Why is it so hard sometimes?"

"Nobody said life was supposed to be easy," Brian said.

"And they were right."

"But I'm easy," Brian said with a smirk. "You can take advantage of me anytime." He slowly dropped his towel revealing the sublime contents beneath.

"Justin snorted. "You'll never be easy … but you're all mine."

"You got that right, Sunshine," Brian said as he tumbled them onto the bed.

Chapter 45 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 45 *

Justin walked into the lecture hall at PIFA. There were about ten minutes till the lecture was to begin. He found a seat and opened his notepad getting ready to jot down whatever words of wisdom the professor chose to bestow on them this day.

"Hey Taylor," a voice said from behind him.

Justin turned to see one of his least favorite people sitting a couple of rows back. He had met this pompous ass when he was with Ethan. He tried to remember his name, something like … Marshall or Martin. Martin, that was it. "Hi Martin," he said trying to be civil.

"Saw your mug in the newspaper yesterday. You and the President! Must be nice having a boyfriend who can introduce you to all these famous people."

Justin stared at the guy not knowing how to answer that statement. Now he remembered why he detested this guy. He always made Justin feel like he absolutely knew nothing about anything, always found a subtle or not so subtle way to put him down.

When Justin did not respond, Martin said, "So are you and the President on a first name basis now?" Martin chuckled at his attempt at humor and so did a couple of others sitting near him.

Justin could feel the blood rush from his neck to his cheeks. Fuck, he hated this guy! He wracked his brain for a good comeback, but couldn't think of anything to say. He turned back to face the front knowing they were snickering at him.

"Hey Taylor, too good to talk to the likes of us?" Martin persisted.

"I fucking got to meet the President. What about you, asshole?" Justin retorted turning back and giving Martin his best evil glare as he said those words.

Martin glared back at him. "You only got to meet the President because of that fucking boyfriend mayor of yours," Martin spat out.

"What's the matter? Jealous?" Justin demanded his voice getting increasingly louder.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen," the professor stated calling them all to attention and effectively putting an end to the exchange between Justin and Martin.

Justin knew his cheeks were burning. He felt like shit too. He couldn't believe that he had allowed Martin to get to him like that. All the students who had been present must have heard the shouting match between the two of them. Shit! Shit! Shit!

Justin sat in silence for the rest of the lecture. He refused to look around him to see if others were observing him. He wanted to shrink into the floor and disappear. Finally the lecture was over and Justin grabbed his books and fled out the door as quickly as he could. Thank God Martin wasn't able to catch him again.

Justin made his way to the coffee shop on campus hoping to grab a sandwich and hide in his work space until his afternoon class. He couldn't explain why he had felt so embarrassed and had gotten so angry at Martin's comments. Maybe it was because sometimes he felt like he really was nothing more than a pale reflection of his older, stronger, more affluent partner. And that pissed him off! He wanted to be his own man, but ever since he had hitched his wagon to the Kinney star, he had somehow gotten lost in the shuffle. It wasn't Brian's fault. It probably wasn't even his own fault. But he had let it happen. He hadn't been forceful enough, hadn't asserted himself enough, had been too ready to follow along behind Brian letting him make all the decisions and stand in the forefront. Justin shook his head in frustration.

He had felt good meeting the President and Senator Kerry. How many people could say that they had met either of them, let alone both? But he had only been able to do that because of Brian. Everything was because of Brian; his whole fucking life, as Martin had so kindly reminded him. Martin had made yesterday's great experience seem like something he was not entitled to. And maybe he wasn't. That was what really bugged him.

"Justin," a voice called to him as he pocketed his change from paying for his sandwich. He groaned inwardly but looked back to see who had spoken. He prayed it wasn't Martin or one of his gang of morons.

Justin sighed with relief as he saw who it was. "Hi, Cal," Justin replied. Cal was in some of his classes and they got along quite well.

"I heard what that asshole Martin said to you in the lecture hall," Cal said.

"You and everybody else," Justin grimaced.

"He doesn't know what the fuck he's saying. He was just trying to get to you."

"I know, but there was some truth in what he said. That's what made me so upset."

"Let's grab a table and we can talk," Cal suggested. "If you want to…" he added watching Justin's face.

"Sure," Justin said deciding that he would like to talk to someone impartial.

They sat down at a table in the corner and Justin unwrapped his sandwich no longer sure that he even wanted to eat it. Cal watched him for a couple of minutes.

"Justin, are you okay?" Cal asked.

"I … I don't know. I feel so strange like my whole life is for shit, and … and there's nothing I can do about it."

"That sucks," Cal sympathized. "Have you talked to Brian about this?"

"We did kind of talk about it a while ago."

"What did he say?"

"He says he's going to stop being mayor at the end of his term."

"Really? Is he doing that just for you?"

"What do you mean?" Justin asked with a frown.

"I mean is he quitting just to make you feel better? He's pretty popular as the mayor. He could probably win another term."

"Yeah, he probably could," Justin admitted. "He is doing it partially for me, but he also thinks he wants to start his own ad agency. He never really intended to get into politics."

"He's kind of an unlikely candidate to begin with," Cal said with a grin.

"You mean because he's openly gay?"

"Well, yeah! Who would have thought he'd get elected in the first place?"

"Yeah, it was a surprise. And to Brian too!"

"It must have made both of you proud that he got elected and that he's been so well accepted as the mayor."

Justin stared at Cal. "What do you mean 'both of us'?"

"I remember when I first figured out that you were Kinney's partner when he was campaigning. I sort of knew who you were back then, but I started paying attention to what was in the papers and watching for you guys on the six o'clock news. I thought you two were awesome together. I don't think Kinney would have won without you beside him."

"You don't?" Justin asked in surprise. "Why?"

"He didn't exactly have a stellar reputation before he hooked up with you. If he hadn't been able to show that he was in a stable relationship, the press would have had a field day with his past. You gave a face to a gay relationship. You were always there supporting him and answering their asinine questions calmly and truthfully."

"You think so?" Justin asked grinning a little bit and wrinkling his nose in the cute way he did when he got a compliment he wasn't sure he deserved.

"He would have been toast when they started in on his tricking. With you there, he could say that was all behind him. As far as I'm concerned you won that election for him," Cal said sincerely.

"I think you give me way too much credit," Justin chuckled.

"I don't."

"Hey Taylor, hiding back here in a corner?" Martin asked coming into the coffee shop and spotting his prey.

"Fuck!" Justin muttered.

"Does your boyfriend know you're having a date with someone else?" Martin asked with an evil smirk.

"Why don't you mind your own business, and fuck off!" Cal demanded.

"Speaking of which, why don't you?" Martin retorted.

"Piss off! We're busy," Cal said.

"I'm not hungry anymore," Justin said as he stood up. "Thanks for the pep talk, Cal. See you later. Oh, and Martin, I have a suggestion for you," Justin said sweetly.

Martin looked at Justin quizzically and asked, "What?"

"Go get a boyfriend of your own. That is, if anybody would have you, you pathetic fucking loser." Justin turned on his heel and marched proudly out of the coffee shop. He could hear Cal chuckling with glee as the door closed behind him.

-----

When Justin got home that evening Brian was already there. He told Justin that he had ordered some food which would be arriving before long. They grabbed a beer and sat down to wait for it.

"So how was your day, honey?" Brian asked in that little falsetto voice that he used.

"For shit!" Justin replied.

"What? What happened?" Brian asked sitting up and taking notice.

"I don't know if I ever mentioned a guy named Martin to you?" Justin said looking at Brian.

"I don't think so."

"I first met him when I … I was with Ethan." Justin was suddenly sorry that he had brought this up. Brian tried not to wince and looked at Justin telling him silently to get on with it. "He goes to PIFA and is a musician. He's also a colossal asshole. Thinks he knows everything about everything, and is only too happy to point it out to you. He always tried to intimidate me, and … usually he succeeded."

Brian frowned. "Why would you let anyone intimidate you? You're smart and funny and better than this asshole Martin!"

Justin chuckled. "You've never met Martin. He's pretty smart."

"Not if he picks on you," Brian declared. "Justin, you don't need to take shit like that from anybody."

"I know, but he always knows what to say to get to me."

Brian stared at Justin. "Did he say something about you and me?"

"How did you know?"

"It was a guess. But I know it bothers you … my position, and … for lack of a better way of saying it, your non-position."

"Yeah," Justin agreed. "I'm not even officially the little wife, but they call me that so they can make fun of me."

"So what did he say?"

"Oh, it doesn't matter anymore," Justin sighed.

"I think it does or you wouldn't be in this funk, and you wouldn't have brought it up."

Justin sighed again. "He had seen our pictures in the paper … the ones with Kerry and Bush. He ragged on me about getting to meet famous people because you were my boyfriend."

"That doesn't sound so bad," Brian said expecting worse.

"It was bad enough," Justin said remembering. "He made me feel like I didn't deserve to meet the President."

"Of course, you deserved it. You help me so much. I couldn't do any of this without you."

Justin smiled a little. That was what Cal had told him, but it was even nicer to hear Brian say it. "I kind of got into a shouting match with him in the lecture hall. Everyone was listening."

"Did you shout him down?" Brian asked with a smirk.

"Would you be proud of me if I did?"

"I'm always proud of you no matter what happens."

Justin smiled for the first time since he came home. "That was definitely the right thing to say."

"It was? That's good, but I just spoke the truth."

"I know and that's why it sounded so good."

"Did you win the shouting match?"

"No, I didn't. The professor interrupted us and I … I couldn't think of a good comeback."

"Shithead always works for me," Brian said knowingly.

"Fuck! I never thought of that one." Justin chuckled.

Brian snorted. "I have plenty more where that came from."

"I know."

"So what did you say?"

"I called him an asshole."

"I don't use that one very much. People usually use it on me."

Justin shook his head. Brian was right about that. "I asked him loudly if he was jealous because I got to meet the President and he didn't."

"Good one."

"Thanks, but then the professor came."

"And that was the end of it?"

"No, he found me in the coffee shop later and started in again."

"Fuck! That guy needs a life."

"And a boyfriend."

"A boyfriend?"

"I had been sitting with Cal, another student that I know pretty well. We were talking about Martin and how he made me feel like shit. When Martin started in on me, I was going to just leave, run away, but then I remembered what Cal had said. I told Martin to go get a boyfriend of his own, if he could find one that would have his sorry ass."

Brian laughed out loud. "That's the way to go, Sunshine!"

"You think so?" Justin asked looking questioningly at Brian.

"I do."

"But I'm always worried about somebody overhearing me curse or queen out and using it against you."

"Don't ever hesitate to defend yourself," Brian said seriously. "If there are consequences, we'll deal with them. Regardless, don't let shitheads like Martin put you down."

"I don't intend to." Brian nodded in agreement. "You know, Cal told me something that I thought was interesting."

"What's that?"

"He said that he didn't think you'd ever have won the election without me," Justin stated watching to see what Brian's reaction would be.

"He's right."

"You agree!"

"Yeah, didn't you think I would/"

"I kind of thought he was right, the way he explained it, but I never thought you'd give me that much credit."

Brian winced a bit internally. He knew he didn't tell Justin often enough just how much he thought of him and what he was worth. "What explanation did he give of his very observant remark?"

Justin chuckled. He always found it funny when Brian talked in that supercilious voice. He used it when he was giving credit where credit was due, but it also meant he didn't like handing it out. "He said without a stable relationship and charming partner … that being me, of course. You never would have won the election."

"Why not?"

"He said the press would have eaten you alive about your past lifestyle, and you would have had nothing to refute what they said."

Brian looked thoughtfully at Justin. "He's absolutely right," Brian said. "But he's missing one essential element of the equation."

"Oh, what's that?" Justin asked with a frown. He thought Brian was going to tell him that he wouldn't have won the election without Charles either … or that his own brilliance in marketing himself had been an invaluable part of the campaign.

"The day I asked you to be my partner and you agreed was the luckiest day of my life." Justin beamed a sunshine smile at Brian. "It came about because of the election, but it was the best move I ever made."

"You mean that?" Justin asked.

"Absolutely."

"Thank you, Brian. It means a lot to me to hear you say that."

"I should probably say it more often. It's the truth, even if I take it for granted."

Justin was about to fling himself into Brian's arms when the buzzer went off indicating that their food had arrived. Brian hauled himself up and went to let the guy in. Justin watched him thinking about how much they had both grown and changed since Brian had become mayor. The fact that they had just had that conversation was pretty miraculous in itself.

In the bad old days Justin knew he would have kept it all to himself and stewed about it until he made himself sick. He never wanted to upset Brian with stuff like that. He was always worried that Brian wouldn't care or wouldn't listen or would slough it off like he did most things. Now they could actually talk about these things, and Brian was nothing if not supportive.

Justin felt proud of himself for stating what was bothering him. He liked standing up for himself. He could discuss things with Brian now without expecting the man to fix everything for him. And Brian should be proud too. He now verbalized things he always kept to himself. He actually gave out the occasional compliment, and Justin always knew he meant it when he said them. He would listen and be supportive when needed. He would even change his life for Justin if that was what was needed. Justin decided right then that he needed to talk to Brian about another term as mayor. Maybe Cal was right.

"Hey, bottom boy, get that ass of yours over here and help me with the food," Brian called from the counter where he was unpacking the food.

Justin grinned realizing that he had zoned out. He hadn't even heard the delivery guy come or go. "Who you calling bottom boy, Willis?" Brian had made him watch an old sitcom on one of the rerun channels. He had actually liked "Different Strokes".

"You! Where were you just now?"

"Thinking."

"What about?"

"Don't worry. The drama is over for today."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure, but there is something I want to talk to you about," Justin said with a serious look on his face.

"Is this going to give me indigestion?" Brian asked.

"I told you it wasn't anything bad."

"Good! I'm still new at this supportive partner role. There's only so much queening out that I can handle before I blow."

Justin giggled. He knew Brian was right.

They took their plates over to the sofa and ate a bit before Brian finally asked, "So what is it that you need to say?"

"Cal told me something else today, and it got me thinking," Justin said.

"Cal sounds like a real sweetheart. Remind me to tell him to mind his own fucking business."

"Briaaan," Justin said not so much as a whine but as a scolding.

"Just fucking tell me," Brian said dropping his plate onto the floor. He was no longer hungry. He needed to hear what Justin had to say before he could even look at his food. He didn't care whether Justin said it was good or not.

"He reminded me that you are a pretty popular mayor," Justin said with a smile. He thought he should get the flattery out of the way and pave the road to the more serious part of this talk.

"Very observant lad by the sound of it," Brian said smugly.

Justin snorted but not too loud. "I told him that you were quitting after this term. That we had made that agreement."

"Yeah, we did," Brian acknowledged.

"Is that still the plan?"

"Of course. I would have told you if anything had changed."

"Told me or talked to me about it?" Justin asked.

Brian immediately saw the error in his choice of words. "I would have talked to you, partner dear," he said not able to keep the sarcasm out of his words.

Justin decided to let that pass. "Cal wanted to know if you were quitting because of me," Justin continued.

"What did you tell him?"

"I said I had something to do with it, but that you also wanted to start your own agency. Was I right?"

"Yes," Brian said slowly.

"Brian, be honest. Would you run again if I wasn't in the way?"

"You are never in the way," Brian stated. "Did you hear me?" he asked and waited till Justin nodded. "I'm not running for mayor again because I want you to be happy, and I want my own agency, and I want you as part of whatever I'm doing."

"What if I said I wouldn't mind if you ran again?" Justin asked eyeing Brian and waiting for his reaction.

"What? Why are you bringing all this up again?"

"What happened today made me realize something. I am not going to be a victim … of anybody. I can do whatever I want to do, and it's me who decides how I feel about what I'm doing. All the Martins in the world aren't going to make me feel bad anymore."

"Who gave you the chutzpah injection today?" Brian asked with a smirk.

"I gave it to myself. Standing up to Martin made me realize that whatever people may think of me and my relationship with you, it's what we think and know that's important. I graduate in a few months and if you want to work together and start the agency, I'm with you. If you want to be mayor, I'll get a job somewhere else, but I'll still be there beside you all the way."

"You're something else, Justin Taylor."

"No kidding."

"No kidding. You got balls! That's why I … love you."

"You got a good set of your own, Mayor Kinney. I love you right back."

"I'm not hungry for food anymore, but a little lie down would be good," Brian grinned suggestively.

"You do have the best ideas. That must be what makes you such a great mayor."

"Come on, little woman," Brian said with a smirk and received an alarming glare from Justin. "Or maybe I should say, come on, big man!"

"That's better," Justin said putting his arm around Brian's waist as they walked up to the bedroom.

Chapter 46 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 46 *

Geoffrey walked into Brian's office. He heaved a huge sigh.

"What?" Brian asked.

"They're coming again."

"Fuck!"

"Yep, three time's the charm."

"When?"

"Kerry, day after tomorrow. Bush, on the weekend."

"They must be desperate."

"It's too close to call. They need every vote they can get."

"Do I have to be involved?" Brian asked.

"They would like you to appear with them, but nothing says you have to."

"Let me think about it. I'd just like to stay out of it."

"We're a swing state, so they say. It's hard to stay out of it."

"And how the fuck much is it going to cost the city this time?"

Geoffrey sighed again. "Probably the same as last time."

"Shit! Go do whatever you have to to get ready for this extravaganza."

"Right," Geoffrey said as he bustled out.

-----

"Want to meet the president again?" Brian asked as he entered the loft that night.

"Thanks, but once was enough."

Brian raised his eyebrow in mock shock. "My, haven't we become blasé."

"He was an asshole the first time. Why would he be any different this time?"

"Because he wants your vote."

"Well, he won't be getting it," Justin said.

"Voting for the other side?"

"Probably."

"I don't think I'll vote at all," Brian said wearily.

"Why the fuck not?"

"These two jerks have cost this city thousands of dollars with their campaigning here. They disrupt everything and accomplish nothing. It will be my form of protest."

"And what if your vote or lack of vote helps elect the wrong person?"

"Yeah, that's likely."

"Brian, it's your civic duty, and as mayor, people should see you out voting."

"I don't give a piss."

"Yes, you do. What direction do you want this country going for the next four years?" Justin waited as Brian mulled over what he had said.

"Okay, okay, I get the point. I thought you wanted me to forget about politics and lead a normal life."

Justin snorted. "Like anything about you is normal!"

''Hey!"

"Sorry, but you know what I mean."

"What's wrong with you tonight?"

"It's … nothing."

"Justin," Brian said ominously. They had promised to be open and straightforward with each other.

Justin heaved a sigh. "I went to a political rally at school today. They were trying to get people revved up to vote for Kerry."

"That's a good thing, isn't it?" Brian asked studying his partner.

"You would think so."

"So what happened?"

"At the end of the rally they asked for anybody who was willing to go door to door and hand out flyers to come and sign up. I figured I could do that. But when I was signing up, a couple of guys got on my case."

"What about?"

"About me being a big shot. About how I was in the paper with both candidates because of my boyfriend. About how they should let me do the canvassing all by myself since I was such a media star. They pissed me off."

"Will this fucking election ever be over?" Brian asked with a frustrated sigh.

"If it turns out like last time, it could be months before we have the final results."

"Don't joke about something like that."

"Who's joking?"

Brian made a face and then decided to change the subject. "You hungry? Let's go out for dinner."

"Really?" Justin asked with a smile.

"We could go to Demetre's and get that booth way in the back where nobody will see us."

"Except the people going to the restroom."

"They're in too much of a hurry to notice us."

Justin giggled. "Let's go."

Some time later they were finishing up their salads when a distinguished looking man passed them heading for the restroom.

"Did you see the look that guy gave us?" Justin asked.

"I wasn't paying attention to him," Brian said reaching across the table to run his fingers over the back of Justin's hand. Justin shivered at the contact and Brian grinned lasciviously.

"You have to let me eat first," Justin declared.

"It's always food with you, isn't it?"

"It's always sex with you, isn't it?"

"And which is more important?" Brian challenged.

Justin snorted and leaned across the table for a quick kiss. "Can't you save that for your bedroom?" the distinguished looking man asked as he came out of the restroom and passed their table.

"Excuse me!" Brian said loud enough to make heads turn.

The man turned slowly and with great disdain said, "You heard me."

"You have a problem with us?" Brian demanded.

"I certainly do. I don't know how your kind ever got elected mayor. Your term will be up shortly, won't it? Maybe we'll be rid of you once and for all."

The whole restaurant was listening now. "You wish," Brian retorted.

Just then Demetre appeared trying to restore order. He steered the man away and back to his table. He returned to Brian and made his apologies. "Dessert is on me. I'm most sorry, Mr. Mayor."

"It's not your fault, Demetre," Brian said. "Could you just pack up our food and we'll take it home with us."

"Brian…" Justin began but the wave of Brian's hand made him stop. Maybe it was best if they got out of there.

Demetre bustled away to package up their dinners.

"Let's go," Brian said. "We can pick up the food at the front desk."

They started to walk towards the exit. As fate would have it, they had to pass the table of the man who had made the scene. He was looking very smug sitting with a woman who was probably his wife. They were almost by the table when Brian turned back. Justin groaned inwardly. This would not be good.

"I'm tempted to run for mayor again just to piss you off!" he said loud enough for most of the restaurant to hear.

Brian turned on his heel, took Justin's hand and they made their way to the foyer to a round of applause from most of the diners in the establishment. Brian did not look back, but Justin had to see the face of the man who had hassled them. He was sitting at his table shaking his head in disbelief that the other people in the restaurant seemed to be supporting Brian.

Demetre appeared with a bag which he handed to Brian, saying no charge. Brian took the bag and they made their way out to the Corvette. Once they were on their way home Justin glanced at his partner.

"Brian…"

"Don't. I don't want to hear it. I thought I was beyond that kind of fucking attitude."

"We'll never be beyond it. There will always be someone to criticize, to put us down, to call us perverts."

"When did you get to be such a fucking pessimist?"

"I'm getting tired of fighting for our rights, fighting to be equal, fighting for things that everybody else takes for granted. It doesn't seem to matter what we do or what we achieve somebody is always there to remind us that we are still second class citizens."

"I thought you were the one lecturing me about voting and taking a stand and making a fucking difference."

"Well, I was wrong."

Brian looked over at his lover, his partner, his friend. "Don't say that, please."

"Why not? It's true. I've had it."

"No," Brian said emphatically. "You're the hope, the future. You can't give up."

"And what the fuck are you? The past?" Justin asked with a major frown.

"I'm old…er."

Justin noticed the hesitation between the parts of that word and he couldn't help but smile. "It's a sad day when you admit that you're old…er and you're the more optimistic of the two of us. The world must be coming to an end."

"It's not ending just yet, and it's not over until the fat lady sings."

"What the fuck are you talking about, Brian?"

"Kerry and Bush are both coming to Pittsburgh one last time. I'm going to get Debbie and PFLAG to organize protesters. I know where the candidates will be entering and exiting cars, and I'm going to see that the area is full of protesters."

"You are evil," Justin grinned. He loved Brian so much when he got like this. The take charge, ruthless Brian had been the man he first fell in love with, and there was still a good chunk of that inside him.

"You don't know the half of it. No more Mr. Nice Guy."

"Shit, Brian. Be careful."

"Why should I? My term's almost over. I've got nothing to lose."

"Can I do anything?" Justin asked.

"Don't let the turkeys drag you down," Brian said. "You're my inspiration. I need you to stay positive."

"I can do that."

"Good boy."

When they arrived at the loft the food was forgotten as they made their way directly to the bedroom. The thought of working together for a common cause, and a righteous one at that, was an extreme aphrodisiac to both men. They spent the next two hours sucking and fucking until they were exhausted and even Brian had to admit that he was starving.

They dragged themselves down to the kitchen and nuked their dinners that had been dropped by the door when they came into the loft. They sat naked on the sofa and ate in companionable silence.

Justin finally broke the silence. "That was amazing up there," he said gesturing towards the bedroom with his knife. "Why do you think talk of protests and fucking the establishment made us so horny?"

"I don't think it was what we are going to do," Brian said thoughtfully. "I think it was that we are going to do it together."

"I miss that," Justin admitted. "Ever since you became mayor we seem to work at cross purposes, or rather what you have to do takes precedence over what I want to do, and so I give in. We hardly ever work on the same thing together."

"That's it in a nutshell," Brian said.

"Yum, I like nuts," Justin grinned.

"Down boy. Finish your dinner first. The nuts are for dessert."

Justin chuckled. He loved Brian's sense of humor. "Will we find things to work on together after you're finished being mayor?"

"I've been thinking about that."

"You have?" Justin beamed one of his patented smiles at Brian. "Thinking about us, I mean?"

"I'd like to open my own agency. I think I can get a few high profile clients to come over to me and there's always Charles. He could be a big help."

"And a big account if you can get him."

"If we can get him," Brian corrected. "How would you like to be head of the art department?"

"No shit!" Justin gulped. His eyes had gotten very large and he swallowed air rapidly. "Do you mean that?"

"You graduate this year, and I think you are one of the most creative people I have ever met."

"But I don't have much experience."

"On the job training."

Justin grinned from ear to ear. "Do you think I can handle it?"

"I know you can. I have personal experience with the reality that you can achieve anything you set your mind to."

"How long have you been thinking about this?" Justin asked his face sobering.

"Since we had that talk about you being in my shadow and me not paying enough attention to the things in your life."

"So this isn't spur of the moment, something that you'll take back tomorrow."

"I always say what I mean, and I mean this."

"Do you have any idea how much I love you?"

"Come back to bed and you can show me."

Brian's arms were full of blond boy and he was thoroughly kissed. Finally Justin dragged him up the steps and threw him on the bed. He was going to demonstrate his competency in all areas to his new business partner.

-----

Brian went to the rallies for Bush and Kerry. He had Debbie and the PFLAG contingent strategically situated so that they would most likely appear on the evening news. He mounted the stage with each of them and managed to get a few words in at each rally. Basically he encouraged people to vote and he ended each speech with three words. Strong, fair and tolerant were his rallying call. He hoped the message would get through.

With so few days left until the election there was a flurry of activity throughout the city. Brian took every opportunity to speak and encourage people to vote. He wasn't sure that either candidate was the right one, but Kerry was probably the lesser of two evils. His main concern though, was to get out the vote especially among the gay community.

Justin did his part going door to door. He had gone back to sign up for that job after Brian's encouragement. He liked being Brian's positive influence. He wanted to make a difference. He told those who teased him to go fuck themselves and then he ignored their barbs. Nothing was going to deter him.

As Election Day drew ever closer Brian received invitations to events that would celebrate victories by one party or the other. He was also asked to speak at a couple of parties election night. He declined all of the invitations.

The morning of the election he arose early and woke Justin. They had agreed to go vote together. There would likely be some TV station covering the fact and they would appear on the noon news. Brian hoped that his act of voting might push some others to vote as well. He said as much when he was interviewed.

Justin had agreed to drive potential voters to the polls if they needed a ride. He went off after voting to carry out that commitment. Brian went to the office.

"Morning, Boss," Cynthia said as he appeared.

"Morning. Did you vote?"

She nodded. "I saw you on the news last night encouraging people to go vote. I thought I better or I'd never hear the end of it."

"You're a very smart woman," Brian said as he went into his office.

Cynthia was chuckling when Geoffrey came down the hall. "Have you voted?" she asked him.

"No, I'll go after work."

"You might want to do it before you go in there," she suggested.

"What are you talking about?"

"You'll see."

Geoffrey shook his head as he entered Brian's office. Sometimes women, even Cynthia, were so hard to understand.

"Morning, Mr. Mayor," Geoffrey said.

"You're awfully formal," Brian observed. "Shit! They're not coming back are they?"

"God, no! Nothing like that."

"I just had a major heart palpitation."

"Calm down. It will all be over tonight."

"At least I hope it will be. You never know … after last time."

"Heaven forbid," Geoffrey replied.

"Have you voted?" Brian asked.

"I'll vote after work."

"And if you get busy and don't leave in time, you'll miss out."

"I'll go. Don't worry."

"Go right now. There's nothing pressing we have to deal with, is there?"

"No, but…"

"Then go, right now."

"All right, all right, I'm going." Geoffrey left the office in a huff. "Why didn't you warn me?" he asked Cynthia as he went by.

"What did you think I was doing?" she demanded.

"Humph," he snorted as he headed out to his car to go to his polling station.

-----

That night Brian arrived home with takeout. Justin came in just after him. He kicked off his shoes and flopped on the couch.

"I'm exhausted," Justin sighed. "Do you have any idea how hard it is dealing with old people, holding doors for them, loading their walkers into the Corvette, trying to get them out of the Corvette?"

"I didn't know it was going to be used as a fucking taxi," Brian grimaced. He had given Justin the keys to use the Corvette to transport voters, but he had had grave reservations.

"We need a more practical vehicle."

"No shit! Like what?"

"I don't know, a Lincoln Navigator?"

"Justin Taylor, you are out of your mind."

"I'm delirious with hunger and fatigue and contact with crazy old people."

"Poor baby, I brought dinner."

"Oh, thank you. I can barely stand."

"Stay put. I'll serve you," Brian said dishing up their meals. He carried them over to the sofa and dropped down beside his partner.

"Want to put the TV on and see what the early returns are?" Justin asked.

"No."

"What do you mean 'no'? Don't you want to see what's happening?"

"Whatever will be, will be. We did our best. We can find out the results tomorrow or next week or next month. Who cares? Whoever wins we'll deal with it together."

"I like the sound of that," Justin said with a smile.

"Think you have enough strength left to fuck later."

"For you, always."

And that was why Brian loved him. He was always ready to fuck. But he was so much more than that. He was an idealistic, hard working, talented, conscientious, beautiful young man, and they were going to make a terrific business partnership. Brian was sure of it.

Chapter 47 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 47 *

Brian stared out the window of the loft. The federal election had been over for three days now, and the bitter taste in his mouth still lingered. He had heard the concession speech of John Kerry. He had listened to his words of hope and determination to make America a better place. But he was the loser and he would hold no real sway in events from here on out. He could say all the things he wanted, but he could make none of them happen.

And then there was the winner, the smug bastard from Crawford Texas who promises to do all the things that he's promised before, very few of which came to pass, and even fewer are likely to do so over the next four years. Hope he enjoys himself, because it will be a long, hard road.

And there were all the state votes about same sex marriage. All eleven of the states holding a referendum voted to ban gay marriage. Was that a kick in the head or what? The level of tolerance had somehow taken a nosedive, and all the marriages performed over the last months would probably be invalidated. Not that Brian really cared. He would never stoop to the lowly hetero tradition of marriage. It was not for him, or for Justin. They would make a life together and they didn't need society's approval for any fucking thing they did. Society could go screw itself. He didn't care one iota what anyone else thought.

But then there was that wrench in his gut as he thought about all that might have been but now would not be, probably not in his lifetime. It would have been nice to have equal rights and privileges just like every other citizen. It would have been nice to feel that he and every other gay man was accepted as a man without making any distinction as to sexual preference. And every gay woman too, even if they were dikes.

Brian ran his hand through his hair. This was worse than the run-up to his election. It was worse than the whole Stockwell "Make Pittsburgh Family Friendly" campaign. It was almost a national repudiation of everything that Brian was. He was glad he wasn't going to run again. He probably wouldn't be elected again in this political climate. Not that he really cared, because he didn't, except that at some basic level he really did.

He had learned a lot over the last two years. He had learned about having a social conscience and about making a difference in people's lives, but it didn't seem like the populace had learned anything from him.

He thought back to his face on the cover of Newsweek heralding the "winds of change". Those winds seemed suddenly to have blown away. He wondered how things could have gone so wrong. All the liberal ideas would be quashed by the current administration and the long term ramifications of the Supreme Court appointments almost took his breath away. He groaned.

"Brian," Justin said standing at the top of the stairs to the bedroom. He was wrapped in a sheet and looked so young and so innocent and so perfect. "Brian, it's three-thirty in the morning.

"I know."

"Come to bed."

"I can't sleep."

"I know the election was a bummer, but life goes on."

"Yeah," Brian snorted.

"Come on," Justin wheedled. "I'll help take your mind off it."

"Go back to sleep."

Justin sighed. "It's over. There's nothing we can do about it. You need to let it go."

"I thought things were different, that I had made a difference. Obviously I was delusional."

"You have made a difference and getting elected here in Pittsburgh was a major victory."

"And now, if I ran again, I couldn't even win. The winds of change are blowing the other way."

Justin drew in a quick breath. "You're not thinking of running again, are you?" Justin asked a little fearfully.

"What would be the point?"

"You are thinking about it," Justin accused.

"I'd like to rub their fucking noses in it and show them that it can be done," Brian declared.

"So you are thinking…"

Brian could hear the fear in Justin's voice. He knew he had put his partner through a lot since they had embarked on this adventure of running Pittsburgh. "No," he said quickly. "No, I'm not going to run again."

Justin let out a breath of relief. "That's good."

"You don't think I could get elected again, do you?" Brian asked finally turning to face Justin instead of talking to his faint reflection in the window.

"Actually, I'm worried you would get elected again," Justin said with a little grin.

"Liar."

"I'm not lying. I think you can do anything, you know."

"Just like Rage?" Brian asked.

"You know who Rage is based on, and that's exactly how I feel about you."

"It's not realistic. I can feel the change in the climate of the country."

"But you're not going to run again, so what does it matter," Justin said. "Right, Brian? Right?" he repeated when no answer came from his partner.

"Go back to bed."

"Not till you come with me."

"I'll be up in a few minutes."

Justin sighed and turned back towards the bed. He could see Brian standing in the same spot staring out into the blackness. And Justin knew that that blackness had taken over Brian's core. He had been shaken by the results of the election, and there was nothing Justin could do to change that. All he could do was let Brian ride out his pain and disappointment, and be there to pick up the pieces when Brian was through flagellating himself.

He just prayed that the man would not decide to run again. That would be something that Brian typically would do. When he saw an insurmountable challenge he had to take it on. And that was how he was looking at his re-election, as impossible. And that could mean that he would have to accept the challenge.

The real concern in all of this was Brian's feeling that the last two years had been wasted. He seemed to feel that he hadn't changed anything, let alone attitudes towards himself and other gays. Brian was taking it as a personal defeat, and that really worried Justin.

Justin snuggled down into the warmth of the bed wishing Brian was there draped all over him. That was when he slept best, when they both slept best. He would have to let Brian work this out on his own. Hopefully the man would pull out of his funk … soon.

-----

"Morning, Boss," Cynthia said as Brian passed by going into his office.

"Hm," was the only reaction.

"I'll bring your coffee right in," she called.

Brian went into his office without response, closing the door behind him.

Cynthia went to get the coffee. She actually missed the usual snarky comments that she would get from Brian. The last few days he had been so quiet, so … depressed. He seemed to be constantly thinking about something dark and important. She worried about him.

She carried the mug of carefully prepared coffee to his door, tapped once and opened the door.

"Brian," she said. He was nowhere in view.

"Leave it on the desk," said a voice from behind the door.

Cynthia turned to see Brian sitting on the couch. He never sat there. "Here," she said handing the mug to him.

"I said to leave the fucking thing on my desk." He refused to accept the mug she held out to him.

"Fine," she said depositing it in the center of his desk.

"You have a meeting with the transit commissioner in half an hour."

"Cancel it."

"What?"

"You heard me. Cancel it."

"But … he's probably on his way here right now."

"I don't give a fuck if he's standing outside the door. Cancel it."

"Sure … sure. Is there anything I can do? Anything you want?"

"To be fucking left alone! Get out."

Cynthia couldn't remember when Brian had ever been in a mood like this, but she knew better than to push him when he was tense and angry. She quickly walked out and closed the door behind her. She went to cancel Brian's meeting before the commissioner could arrive. She didn't want to have to explain to his face why Brian wouldn't see him, especially since she didn't know what the real reason was.

-----

Brian dragged his ass into the loft. He had done nothing all day but sit in his office and tell Cynthia that he was "in" to nobody. He had tried to read reports and had surfed the net a bit, but nothing had helped to bring his mind around to a functional level. He plain felt like shit.

As Brian opened the door, he could smell dinner already in the oven. He groaned inwardly. That meant that Justin was home and he would want to eat and talk and fuck, and Brian didn't think he was capable of any of those things.

"Hey," Justin said with a warm smile.

"Hey."

"Dinner should be ready in twenty minutes," Justin said.

"Not hungry."

"Brian…"

Brian made his way up the steps to the bedroom. He pulled off his clothes and dropped them on the floor in front of the closet. He pulled back the duvet and climbed into bed. He said a silent prayer that Justin would leave him alone.

"Brian, you can't keep going to bed and never sleeping."

"I can fucking do whatever I want. Piss off."

"This is the third day that you've done this. Please, get up and talk to me."

Brian pulled the duvet over his head and tried to shut out the persistent little shit who didn't know when to leave him alone.

"Brian…" Justin waited. He was about to repeat Brian's name when he thought better of it. He had tried for the last two nights to get Brian to talk and all he had been able to do was to anger Brian and cause him to retreat farther into himself. He decided to ignore Brian and see if that did anything.

Several hours later Justin had eaten his dinner, finished his homework, sketched for a while, watched some TV, and finally climbed into bed beside a partner that pretended to sleep and refused to speak to him.

Justin had not been in bed very long when Brian got up and went into the bathroom. When he came out, he walked down the steps and took up his familiar position in front of the windows staring out at the night sky. Justin wanted to scream at him, shake him until he returned to his old self, find him help, but he knew none of those things was likely to work. Brian would have to want help before it would do any good to try to provide it. Justin pulled up the covers and tried to sleep. What more could he do?

-----

Brian sat at his desk in the mayor's office. He refused to see anyone as he had for several days. Cynthia buzzed and Brian answered angrily, "I told you I will not speak to anyone and that includes Geoffrey."

"It's not Geoffrey. Mr. Langdon is here."

"Charles?" Brian asked. Charles Langdon had been responsible for Brian running for mayor. He had been his guide and mentor ever since. Brian hadn't seen much of him lately. He owned a large company in Pittsburgh and was one of the accounts that Brian was banking on if and when he and Justin opened their advertising company together.

"Yes, he wants to see you," Cynthia said gently.

"Um…" Brian wanted to turn him away, but even he couldn't be that rude. "Send him in."

Moments later the door to his office opened and Charles Langdon stepped inside. "Brian, I hear that you have been in a … funk," Charles said, never one to beat around the bush.

"And who the fuck has been talking to you?"

"Justin."

"Justin called you?" Charles nodded. "I'll kill the little fucker."

"He's worried about you, and hearing what he had to say, so am I."

"He should mind his own business."

"You are his business."

Brian glared at the floor not wanting to look into Charles' eyes. He knew the man was right, but there was nothing he could do about anything.

"Brian, I understand depression. I've been there," Charles said in his most sympathetic voice.

"You have?" Brian asked. "And who says I'm depressed?" Brian then demanded.

"Well, aren't you?"

"I … I suppose. I can't believe that fucking election. The moral majority is taking over everything, and that means that the bashings and beatings won't be far behind."

"You've lived through it once. This too shall pass."

"I'm not so sure."

"Then fight it."

"What? How the fuck do you think I can fight it? It's like the last two years meant nothing," Brian said shaking his head.

"How do you figure that? You're gay. You were duly elected mayor of a major city, being out and open about everything."

"And everything I stand for was repudiated in this election," Brian grumbled.

"Pennsylvania did not go to Bush, and it very well could have. I think maybe you had a small role in that."

"You do?" Brian asked with a little grin.

"I do."

"And then every state that voted about same sex marriage voted against it."

"That was a blow, but nothing really has changed. That's the way it was in all those states before. No gay marriages were allowed and they won't be now."

"And that's supposed to make me feel better?" Brian demanded.

"No, but I don't see the need for such despair."

"Despair!" Brian croaked. "I … I don't do despair."

"Get real, Brian. That's where your head has been for the last few days, at least according to Justin."

Brian glowered at Charles but didn't contradict what the man had said. "I feel like I need to do something, but there's nothing that can be done."

"You could run again," Charles stated.

"I … I promised Justin I wouldn't."

"I see. Well, let me tell you that if you want to run again you have my backing. But get Justin's approval first." Brian nodded and gave a small grin. "If you go back to advertising you've got my account."

"I appreciate that, Charles," Brian admitted.

"And if you want to really piss off the straight people who voted Bush back in, then make yourself the best mayor Pittsburgh has ever seen, or be the best ad exec in the country, or make Justin the happiest partner in the fucking universe. You can do any or all of those things, Brian. Don't doubt yourself."

Brian stared off into space for a few minutes or hours or seconds. He wasn't sure which it was. After a bit Charles cleared his throat bringing Brian back to reality.

"Sorry, Charles, I was thinking."

"More pleasant thoughts, I hope."

"Maybe … a little. Thanks for the pep talk and for taking the time to come here today."

"I meant everything I just told you. I'll support you whatever decision you make."

"Do … do you think I could win another term?" Brian asked.

"I wouldn't bet against you."

"Thanks, Charles. This has meant a lot to me."

Brian stood and shook Charles' hand warmly. He walked the man to his office door and quietly shut the door behind him. Brian had a lot to think about before he went home, and some important decisions to make. At least he had something positive to think about, and this was the first time in many days that he could say that.

-----

Brian stepped through the door of the loft. Justin sat on the couch reading a book.

"Hey," the young man said.

Brian said nothing. He strode around the end of the couch, snatched the book from Justin's hands, threw it on the floor and hauled his partner up and over his shoulder. He carried Justin that way up to the bedroom where he threw him on the bed. He knelt down beside the man he loved and began removing his clothes.

"Brian," Justin said softly. Brian refused to answer, and just removed the remainder of Justin's clothes. "Brian," Justin repeated, "what's going on?"

Brian continued the silent treatment and began removing his own clothes. Quickly he completed that task and loomed naked over the figure on the bed.

"Brian, did something happen? Talk to me. You're scaring me."

Brian's cock was red and erect. He stroked it a few times and Justin knew that he was going to get fucked into the mattress if not through it. He wondered if Charles had been to see Brian and this was his punishment for interfering. He could take it, he decided, and smiled up at Brian.

Brian reached in the drawer beside the bed and pulled out the lube and condoms. He quickly suited up and with little preparation drove into Justin's willing body. He found a rhythm and they both responded in the age old way that lovers did. Justin reached up and touched Brian's cheek, a gesture so simple and tender that it almost brought tears to Brian's eyes. Brian continued to pound into his lover pouring out all the disappointment and worry he had felt since the election. As they neared climax, Justin whispered Brian's name and they were coming, clinging to each other as the waves of pleasure claimed them.

When Brian pulled out and rolled away, Justin rolled up against him. "I've missed that," Justin whispered against Brian's throat.

"Yeah. I'm sorry."

"You couldn't help it," Justin said simply.

"I … I felt so lost. I didn't know what to do, and so I did nothing, day after day."

"That's why I called Charles. I had to do something."

"How did you know who to call?"

"I didn't. It was a lucky guess."

"More than luck. Sometimes I forget how smart you are," Brian said running his hand along Justin's arm.

"Do you feel better now?" Justin asked concern still visible in the blue eyes.

"Some."

"So what did Charles say to you?"

"Some things that we have to discuss," Brian admitted.

Justin smiled. He already knew what Charles had told Brian. They had discussed it on the phone. "I'm all ears."

"And very lovely ears they are too," Brian smirked.

"I've missed this," Justin admitted with a gentle smile. "You hardly said two words to me for days."

"I … I don't know what happened. The election hit me hard."

"So are you going to run again?" Justin asked.

Brian's eyes flew up in amazement. "You know? Just what did you and Charles talk about?"

"Everything."

Brian snorted. "I should be furious with you."

"But you're not. You love me. I'll stick by you whatever you decide to do."

"I'm not making a decision yet, and I want to talk all our options through before anything is settled on."

"Did you hear that?" Justin asked suddenly.

"What?" Brian asked looking around and straining to hear any unusual sound.

"The sound of Brian Kinney being a good partner."

"You think?"

"I know," and Justin's lips found Brian's. There would be time for talking later.

Chapter 48 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 48 *

"Brian," Cynthia's voice said as he picked up his phone. "Charles Langdon is here to see you."

"Send him in."

Brian clicked off the program he was using on the computer and turned to look at the door to his office. It opened and Charles walked in.

"Mister Mayor," Charles said deferentially.

"You're very formal today," Brian snorted.

Charles had been the one who had convinced Brian to run for mayor in the first place. Through the turbulent first weeks of Brian's term as mayor, Charles had been a rock. He had advised and mentored and fought for Brian. Brian owed him a lot.

"I think it's time we have a serious talk about your future," Charles said.

"Getting right to the point I see. I thought I told you that I'm not running again."

"You did, but I want you to consider a few things before you make that decision."

"I've already made the decision and there are no considerations that are going to change it."

"I wouldn't be so sure," Charles averred as he took a seat across the desk from Brian.

-----

Brian sat at the table at Pappagano's. He was waiting not so patiently for Justin to arrive. He had asked Justin to meet him there for one of their date nights. Justin had been so happy when Brian had asked. It took so little to make the boy happy, and Brian had to admit he enjoyed date night almost as much as Justin did. It was a chance for them to talk to each other and be alone without the need to be all over each other, which is what always seemed to happen when they were in the loft or almost anywhere else.

Brian's mind couldn't help playing over what Charles had told him earlier that day at his office. He had trouble comprehending what Charles had said. Apparently he and his group who had first sponsored Brian's run for mayor had commissioned a survey about Brian's performance as mayor. The results were somewhat astounding, at least to Brian.

The survey results showed that almost seventy percent of those polled thought Brian had done a good job over his two year term. Over sixty percent said they would support him if he ran again. Those weren't enormous numbers, but it gave Brian a warm feeling that all things considered people seemed to like what he had done as mayor.

The disturbing part of the survey was Charles' reaction to the numbers. He and his group wanted Brian to run again. They didn't think they had a viable candidate to replace him, and were afraid that if Brian didn't run there might be a swing back to the intolerant attitude when Stockwell was running. Brian had made it abundantly clear to the man that he would not run. He had promised Justin that he would go back to advertising and they would lead a normal life. Yet here he was about to broach the subject of another term with his partner, and see what Justin said about the possibility of two more years in public life. He had promised Charles he would consider it and discuss it with Justin, but he had a feeling it just might ruin their date night.

Brian looked up to find Justin standing at his table. He couldn't help but smile. Justin was wearing a gold colored soft wool sweater and black slacks. His smile and hair added to the overall effect that made him appear to be enveloped in a golden glow. Brian felt his breath catch in his throat.

"Hey," he managed to get out as Justin sat down across from him.

"Hey," Justin grinned. He was looking forward to a great dinner and then putting out for the man who had treated him. He loved date night.

"You look … not bad," Brian sputtered. He wanted to say beautiful, but it seemed so lesbianic he couldn't make himself say it, even if that was how he felt.

"Thanks," Justin chuckled knowing Brian was complimenting him and understanding that particular channel of Kinney-speak.

"Want a drink?" Brian asked.

"Some wine," Justin said and Brian proceeded to order a bottle of red.

While they were waiting for the wine to arrive, Brian asked how Justin was making out with his latest project. He knew Justin had been having trouble deciding how to approach the topic of "ambivalence" that was to be the basis of the current project.

"I don't know how you're supposed to fucking depict 'ambivalence'," Justin griped. "It's an idiotic topic for an art assignment. The whole point of art is to make you feel something, grab you in the gut or make you weep or soothe your battered life, not leave you feeling indifferent."

"Hmm," Brian responded. The waiter poured them each some wine. They saluted each other with their glasses and took a drink.

"That 'hmm' sounded like you didn't agree with me," Justin said.

"Art is many things."

"That's so fucking profound, Brian! Do you have any other words of wisdom for me?"

"It's just that art is … many things," Brian repeated. He saw the exasperated look on Justin's face and wished he had kept his mouth shut. Their date hadn't even begun and Justin was already getting mad at him.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Justin demanded.

Brian took a deep breath. In for a penny, in for a pound. He might as well come clean. "I'll explain what I mean if you promise to hear me out and not get mad."

Justin frowned. He should have known there was an ulterior motive to this date. "I don't think I want to hear anything you have to say. In fact I think I've been set up and I'm ready to go home right now."

"Justin…" Brian began and then didn't know how to argue against what Justin had said. He couldn't argue because Justin was right.

"You can't even deny it, can you?" Justin accused him.

"No, I won't lie," Brian almost groaned.

"So I'm right."

"Sort of."

"And what kind of an equivocation is that?"

"I didn't … invite you here to hear this now. I just wanted to have our date."

"So?" Justin prodded when Brian hesitated.

"So you brought up ambivalence and that is exactly what I need to talk to you about. I wasn't going to do it now though."

"Then fucking tell me. You've ruined our evening anyway."

"You'll just get mad and storm out of here or make a public scene."

"I'm fine," Justin said with a steely glare. "Just tell me."

Brian sighed. This was going to be ugly, but there didn't seem to be much he could do about it.

"I had a visit from Charles today," Brian began.

"Shit!" Justin reacted. "And you're going to run again. I should have known how little faith I could put in your promise." Justin pulled his napkin from his lap and tossed it on his plate. He started to get up when Brian grabbed his hand across the table.

"Sit down and fucking listen," Brian said through gritted teeth. "You wanted to hear this, and now you're going to."

Justin sat down slowly. Now it was his turn to listen. He had asked for this and it was up to Brian to say it. "Go ahead," Justin said glaring at Brian.

"Charles told me they don't have a feasible candidate other than me." Brian watched Justin grimace. He might as well tell the boy all the bad stuff right up front. "He does want me to run again. He and his group that backed me had a survey commissioned. More than a majority of those polled would support me if I ran again."

"That's good news … for you," Justin said rather ungraciously. Then he felt compelled to add, "I know you've done a good job as mayor, Brian. That's not the issue."

"Thank you," Brian said staring into Justin's eyes. "I'm glad you think I've done a good job. There were plenty of times when I sure as shit didn't think so."

Justin snorted. "You always do a great job at anything you undertake." Brian raised his eyebrows in surprise. "You know that's true," Justin continued. "You drive yourself to be the best … at everything."

"Including fucking?" Brian grinned.

"That goes without saying," Justin said with a little smile. He couldn't help it even if he was mad at Brian. Thinking about fucking always made him feel good.

"You know, there was a time when I thought that fucking was the only thing I was any good at. Then I got into advertising and I found another area I didn't suck at."

Justin recoiled slightly. He knew that Brian for all his bravado really didn't have the greatest self-esteem. He hadn't meant to take them down this road. "You don't suck at anything," he said firmly, "except my dick most every night."

Brian had to grin at that. "We seem to have gotten off topic. Not that I really mind." He looked at Justin who nodded for him to continue. He took another breath and plowed ahead. "Charles wants me to run again, and gave me lots of reasons that I should."

"And you have decided to do it?" Justin asked as a question even though he was pretty sure that Brian had already made that decision.

"No, I haven't decided," Brian said staring at Justin. "I'll admit he made it sound attractive. There are things I have started as mayor that I would like to see through to fruition." Brian watched the disappointment that swirled across Justin's face as he spoke those words. "But … I told him that I had promised you I wouldn't run again. He still thinks I should, and that's where the ambivalence comes in."

"How so?" Justin asked wanting to see what Brian would say.

"I have to admit that I've enjoyed being mayor for a lot of my term. But, I promised you that we were done with politics. So, I won't run, unless you want me to. But that doesn't mean the idea of winning again doesn't appeal to me."

"So you're saying that you're ambivalent about running."

"Yes."

"Well, at least you're honest about your feelings," Justin said.

"Did you think you would ever be saying that statement about me?" Brian teased.

Justin snorted. "Brian," he said with a serious look on his face. "I don't want to stand in your way if you want to run."

"Does that mean that you would continue to stand beside me?"

"Don't you mean behind you?"

"No, I do not, and you didn't answer my question."

"I don't know, Brian. I'm not sure that I could stand another two years of being the dutiful little political wife."

Brian grimaced. "Christ, that's not what I ever thought."

"Lots of other people did though," Justin said sadly.

"That settles it. I'm not running."

"You mean it?" Justin asked with the beginnings of one his smiles.

"Yes."

"Then I think you're going to really enjoy the end of our date night."

"I am?" Brian asked raising one eyebrow and giving Justin a crooked grin.

"Oh yeah!"

"Can we leave now?"

"Hey, I'm a cheap date, but not that cheap. You have to feed me first."

"And here I thought you were cheap and easy," Brian joked.

"I am, but it's nice to keep you on your toes."

Brian smiled, warm and genuine. He knew that Justin's happiness was far more important than any election. The only validation he needed anymore came from the person sitting across the table from him.

-----

Back in the loft after a dinner that had turned out much better than either of them could have imagined, Brian finished sucking off Justin and plopped down on the bed next to his partner.

"Good?" he asked although he knew his blowjobs were the best on the planet, just slightly better than Justin's and the boy was gaining ground on him quickly.

Justin nodded and mumbled, "Mmmm."

Brian leaned in and kissed Justin on the mouth swirling his tongue around inside as Justin's lips parted at the pressure.

"I love you," Justin whispered, "and I want to fuck you."

Brian snorted. "I don't think so."

"Brian," Justin said with a voice that conveyed disappointment and a tinge of resentment.

"Okay, okay, okay," Brian relented. "You're getting to be very demanding lately."

"I am?"

"Well, I should know," Brian chuckled.

"Roll over."

Brian obediently turned onto his stomach. He was always reluctant to allow this to happen. He was the consummate top, and allowing Justin to assume that role always gave him pause. Somehow though, when it was over, he had enjoyed it and Justin was always so happy. Brian grinned in spite of himself.

He felt Justin's talented tongue licking and probing around his hole. He gasped as it darted in and out. The little shit had learned a lot since their first night together. The tongue delved deeper and Brian felt himself shiver at the sensation. His gut clenched and his cock filled and his heart soared. There was nothing more intimate than this, nothing that required more trust and understanding. He knew he would do anything to make Justin happy and that included abandoning politics.

Brian felt Justin's fingers being added to the mix and he groaned. It wouldn't be long now until Justin claimed him and he knew he would give in when asked and take the pleasure Justin would give in return. They were beyond good together.

Justin's condom clad dick rammed in and Brian clenched the sheets as the pain gradually gave way to a feeling of fullness and completion. Slowly at first Justin began his rhythm bending in to kiss Brian's neck and shoulder. As his speed increased Justin could feel Brian respond and shove back to meet each thrust. A smile played at the corners of his mouth. He knew Brian didn't like to give up control, but he always seemed to enjoy it when he did.

Ambivalent, Justin thought as he thrust home and reached for Brian's cock beneath them. He understood that word so much better now. It was about conflict, about opposing thoughts on the same issue, not about indifference. He should have looked the fucking word up in the dictionary instead of stewing about the wrong interpretation for all this time.

"I love you … so much," Justin gasped as he felt his climax building.

"Now," Brian moaned as Justin stroked him and pounded his ass. Brian came with a shudder that threatened to rip him apart and he felt Justin's cock throb and shoot in his ass.

"That was awesome!" Justin gasped as he rolled off his lover.

"Awesome," Brian agreed as he turned over and looked at Justin's flushed face. "You're quite the brutal little top." His hand brushed the sweaty hair back from Justin's eyes. The blue he saw in those eyes was still dark and rich like it always was when sex was involved.

"Thanks," Justin grinned. He leaned over and kissed Brian. They had come so far since Brian had first decided to run for mayor. He had wondered back then if they would ever be able to be so trusting and caring, but somehow they had managed it. "I like date night a lot," Justin said with a smile.

Brian snorted and then leaned in for another kiss. So did he.

-----

"Come on," Justin said leading Brian along the corridor of PIFA. His hand was firmly holding Brian's and he linked his fingers through those of the older man.

"I'm coming," Brian replied. "What the fuck is the rush?"

"I want you to see this … now!"

"All right, but didn't you say it was going to be in the next show? I could have seen it then."

"Yeah, if important city business doesn't get in the way," Justin griped.

"It's only another few weeks and then I'm finished," Brian defended himself.

"I know, but I want you to see this piece before anybody else. I'm really proud of it, and that's partially due to you."

"Me? What did I do?"

"You know you always inspire me."

"Shit! Is this another portrait of my dick? I do have a public image to uphold."

"Sort of," Justin admitted sheepishly as he unlocked the door of his space in the Fine Arts building.

"Fuck, Justin, you can't show that. Not until I'm done being mayor anyway."

"Just shut up and look at it," Justin ordered flipping the lights on and pulling a cover off his canvas.

Brian stared at the collage in front of him. He could see that the canvas was basically divided into two sections. One seemed peaceful and the other violent. Two opposing views of the world. That came across very strongly. He could see Iraq and the war and death there on the canvas. There were newspaper headlines of death and bombing embedded into the thick paint. Opposite it was a depiction of a military funeral with a flag draped coffin. Those two images were meant to catch your attention first. Then Brian began to look more closely at all the turmoil surrounding those images, and turmoil was the only word to describe it.

He could see lips locked in a kiss and then a mugging on the street, a knife slicing someone open and a hospital with a baby in an incubator. There was a little boy, Gus, with his mother, Lindsay, holding his hand and looking lovingly at him, and opposite a careening car crashing into a bus shelter full of children and adults. Brian wanted to look away, but the images were so powerful that he had to keep looking, had to see what other horrors Justin had included.

As he continued to stare, Brian began to realize that the outer edges of the painting included much gentler opposing views. Winter snowboarding and summer fun on the beach, a snow covered Christmas tree and an uprooted oak wasting away. There was a burning home and a warm bedroom with two figures under the covers all safe and warm.

Finally Brian looked over at Justin who had been intently watching Brian's reaction to his work.

"Do you like it?" Justin whispered.

"No," Brian stated.

"What?"

"I hate it, but I can barely take my eyes off it. It's the most powerful thing you have ever done. It's genius."

"You mean it?" Justin asked, suddenly shy in the face of all that praise … from Brian of all people.

"I fucking do. It's wonderful."

"Thanks," Justin said coming over and kissing Brian's cheek. "I thought it turned out well."

"And here I thought it was another picture of my dick."

"It is."

"What? Where?"

"It must be good if you don't recognize your own dick, and are more interested in other parts of the painting."

"Are you calling me self-centered?" Brian demanded but his eyes were scanning the canvas looking for his cock. "Shit!" he said as he spotted it in the lower right hand corner.

"Sorry I couldn't make it larger, but there were other things I wanted to concentrate on," Justin explained.

Brian looked at the tiny drawing of his cock and beside it what could only be Justin's bubble butt spread so his hole winked out at the studious observer. Subtle and not subtle at all.

"Why?" Brian asked.

"You made this all possible when you let me fuck you the other night."

"I did? How?"

"You're always reluctant about letting me top, but then you do … occasionally, and I know you enjoy it. You're ambivalent about doing it. That was when the true meaning of the word came to me and I just went from there."

"I'm happy to have been your inspiration, but should that be in there?" Brian asked as he pointed at the cock and ass.

"I can paint it out if you want me to, but nobody will recognize it. Hell, you never even noticed it."

"True," Brian agreed studying the overall effect of Justin's work. "It's really good."

Justin smiled and melted into Brian's arms. Brian's approval still meant a lot to him. They kissed for a long time.

"Let's go home," Brian whispered.

"Yeah."

Justin threw the cover back over his painting and shut off the lights.

"I understand how hard it is for you to give up being mayor," Justin said as he locked the door. He couldn't look at Brian as he said it.

"You do?"

"I see how good you are at it and how people respect you. But I want you to know that I also appreciate how much it has taken for you to turn away from all that … for me."

"My ambivalence," Brian chuckled as he nuzzled Justin's neck and they began walking out of the building arm in arm.

Chapter 49 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 49 *







"Cynthia, would you come in here, please?" Brian said into the phone.



Cynthia frowned as she stood up. Brian had said please and he never said that unless something bad followed it. Reluctantly she made her way to his office.



"You wanted to see me?" she asked as she stepped into Brian's office and closed the door behind her.



"Have a seat."



Now she knew something bad was coming. Brian was far too polite. He never asked her to sit, just told her what he wanted done. That saved a lot of time for both of them. "You're scaring me, Brian. What's going on?"



Brian sighed. She knew him so well. He didn't think this would be so hard. "I have made a decision about my future and that impacts your future."



"You're not running again," she said.



Brian smiled slightly. She really did have his number. "No, I'm not."



"And that means…?"



"I'm going to try to get back into advertising. I'm thinking of starting my own firm."



"That's great news," she said with a smile, but when Brian didn't smile back she felt her stomach churn and the smile quickly faded. "Isn't it good news?" she asked.



"You might not think so when you hear what I have to say."



"Tell me."



"If I can swing the financing for the new firm, and that's still an 'if', I will only have one account that I can actually claim."



"Oh," Cynthia said beginning to understand the implications of what Brian was telling her.



"So money is going to be tight for a while."



"Tight as in my salary?" she asked.



He looked up at her. He was surprised that she would still indicate her intention of coming to work for him knowing that she would be hit with a drop in pay. "Exactly," he said. "I don't think I can come anywhere close to paying you what you're getting now. It will all depend on how quickly I can start rounding up accounts."



"Have you thought about who you're going to go after?" she asked sitting forward in her seat. "Leo Brown would be a good place to start." There was no point in wasting time. She would be happy to go back into advertising, and the sooner they got started on a plan to do that, the better.



Brian snorted and then chuckled. "Didn't you hear what I just said? You're going to have to take a huge pay cut if you want to come with me."

"I heard you. What the fuck do you think I came here to the mayor's office for? That was our agreement. I come here for two years and then I help you start the new company."



"You still want to do that?"



"Shit, yes. I don't want to have to break in a new boss. I've finally got this one trained the way I want him." And then she had the audacity to give him a mischievous grin.



Brian stared at her and had to grin. "You're serious, aren't you?"



"One hundred percent."



"How did I get so lucky or unlucky to hire you in the first place?"



"I could tell you knew a good thing when you saw it, right from the first time I met you."



"Not many people would have put up with my shit for all this time … and then agree to take a pay cut on top of it."



"I'll take the cut now, but I expect to be duly compensated later on. And I want to be given a bigger role in the business, maybe even start developing some clients of my own."



"You drive a hard bargain."



It was Cynthia's turn to snort. "Hard bargain, my ass. You're lucky I don't walk out on you. Just remember that."



"I will," Brian said with a smile as he stood and extended his hand across the desk. She took his hand to shake, and he raised it to kiss the back of her hand softly. She felt herself blush. "Thank you," Brian said quietly.



"I need to get back to work," she said hastily and pulled her hand away. She could feel the tears threatening to start and she wanted to get out of there before they did. Neither of them would be able to deal with that. She walked quickly to the door.



"Bring me a coffee … in ten minutes," Brian stated.



She didn't look back at him, but she knew they understood each other. "Yes, boss," she replied as she closed the door behind her. By then they would both have their emotions under control.



-----



"So Cynthia's coming in with you?" Justin asked as he munched on the pizza they had ordered for dinner.



"Pay cut and all," Brian stated.



"She's a glutton for punishment."



"Like you?"



"No, not like me at all. Ewww! I don't even want to go there. I get some very interesting rewards for putting up with you," Justin said with a wink. "What does she get?"



"Up until we leave the mayor's office, a very good paycheck."



"And she's still willing to put up with all your shit for a reduced salary?" Justin asked.



"She's expecting big payback later on."



"And you'll see that she gets it?"



"Of course."



Justin leaned in and kissed Brian's cheek. "I think you will be a big success and so will Cynthia."



"Thanks, but shouldn't you be included in that equation?"



"As…?"



"As my head of the art department. We discussed this before."



"I was letting you off the hook if you changed your mind."



"Why would I change my mind?"



"Oh, let's see," Justin said with a frown. "Because I'm 21 and I'm not quite finished art school and I have almost no experience in advertising. That sounds like a prime resume for the person who should lead an art department."



"In case you may have misunderstood, not only are you going to be the head of my art department, for the first while you are the art department."



Justin choked on his beer. "You're really serious, aren't you?"



"Yes, I told you that before. By the time I can afford to pay you like the head of the department we may actually have other people in the department, and you will have had plenty of time to gain that experience."



"Thanks, I think," Justin said with a chuckle. "You've got this all figured out, haven't you?"



"I've rarely been accused of being spontaneous."



"Just anal."



"Hmm, look who's talking about anal. Are we through talking?" Brian asked leaning closer to Justin.



"I think so," Justin said before his lips were captured in a long, sensual kiss.



-----



"I understand that you have decided not to run again," Geoffrey said after he and Brian had finished up their agenda for the day.



"Has the rumor mill been churning?" Brian asked with a smirk.



"Most definitely."



"I bet they're all glad to see the back of me, although my ass has always been considered one of my best features."



"Mr. Mayor!" Geoffrey reacted.



"What?" Brian asked playing dumb.



"That's not a very seemly comment for someone in your position."



"And what position would that be?" Brian asked with a leer. He knew even prim and proper Geoffrey would get the sexual innuendo. Geoffrey had changed a lot since Brian had become mayor and Geoffrey had been forced to work with him. Loosened up might be a better way to explain it, although he would still need to go a great deal farther before anyone would accuse him of not having a pickle up his ass.



Geoffrey blushed. "I don't think you should be behaving like this. You're not out of office yet."



"Just practicing for when I am," Brian teased. "I'll stop yanking your chain, now, Geoffrey."



"That will be much appreciated, although I wasn't actually aware that I had a chain," Geoffrey said with a sigh. "I … I will miss you when you're gone," he said softly.



"Why, Geoffrey, you sentimental old dog." Brian watched Geoffrey blush even more. He decided he better say this now or he never would. "I … have enjoyed working with you too, Geoffrey. You're a man of principle, even if I don't always agree with those principles. I respect that you have them, and … live by them."



"Thank you, Mr. Mayor, and I can most definitely say the same thing about you."



"We sound like a couple of old queens," Brian said with a grimace. This was getting decidedly too emotional. "Don't you have work to do?"



"Yes, I do," Geoffrey said with a chuckle. He was just about as happy as Brian to have that tender moment over with. He had wanted to express his respect and affection for Brian but that didn't mean it was easy to do.



"Before you go," Brian said as Geoffrey had started towards the door. "Your job is secure after I'm gone, right?"



"Yes," Geoffrey smiled. "I was here before you came and I'll still be here for years to come. That's the nature of being a bureaucrat."



"That's good," Brian said. Geoffrey gave him a fleeting smile and hastily left the office.



There weren't a lot of people that Brian would be sorry to be leaving behind at City Hall, but he had made a few friendships and he would miss the daily, even occasional, contact with those people. He sighed. Moving on in life was always hard.



-----



The next couple of months went by quickly. Charles managed to find a candidate to run for mayor. He was Jamal Jefferson, a young, black businessman who had run in the previous election. Brian remembered him as the candidate who wanted to have a freer, laissez-faire business atmosphere in Pittsburgh. It had been his one topic and he had tried to hammer it home. However, not everyone was interested in business in the same way that Jamal was. The man had a wicked sense of humor and Brian had enjoyed his answers to questions. He just had too narrow a focus to get himself elected. Since then he had had two years to improve his general knowledge and develop policies about other topics and concerns. Brian thought he would probably make a very good mayor.



As the campaigning got into full swing Brian was asked again and again who he supported for mayor, which candidate he thought would carry on his ideas, which person seemed most trustworthy. Brian studiously avoided answering any of those questions. He didn't want to throw his weight behind any one of them. He wanted the electorate to decide for itself, just as they had done with him.



Brian found it increasingly difficult to get anything accomplished. People he had to deal with were reluctant to make bargains or sign contracts when after the election they would be dealing with someone new, possibly with someone who had very different ideas about what should happen. For the first time Brian really began to understand the term "lame duck". That was definitely what he was.



He did his best to try to bring to fruition the projects that he had started. Some of them were just too lengthy and would have to continue long after he was gone; that is, if the new administration allowed them to continue. The whole process became very frustrating.



Brian stared out the window of his office. He should be reading another fucking report, but he couldn't see any use in bothering to do that. He wished this whole thing were over. The election was coming up fast, but not nearly fast enough to suit him. Now that he was definitely leaving, he wished he could walk out the door and never look back. Instead of that he had to wait for the new mayor to be elected and then sworn in. It was a colossal pain in his ass.



"Brian," Cynthia said, sticking her head in the door and pulling him out of his thoughts.



"Yeah."



"I have a couple of requests that you need to look at."



"Requests? For what?"



"For the honor of your presence," she said cryptically.



"What the fuck are you talking about?"



"One of them is for you to be the guest of honor at a dinner for the new mayor. They want to say thank you to you as the new administration takes over."



"No."



"Pardon?" Cynthia asked frowning.



"I said no. When I walk out of here in a few weeks, I don't want any reminders holding me back. Let them salute the new mayor, and may God help him to do a good job."



"I've never heard you invoke the name of God before."



Brian snorted. "I don't fucking believe in God, but if anything could make you ask for divine intervention it would be this fucking job. I hope the poor bastard has some idea of what he's getting into."



"Okay, I'll tell them … if you're sure."



"I'm very sure. What other request do you have?"



"A request from the local service groups to have you attend a luncheon where they want to thank you for your role in the community."



"Fuck, no! I suppose this is some kind of bullshit they do for all outgoing mayors, and I want no part of it. Can't I just disappear?"



"I'm not so sure that you can." Brian raised an eyebrow at that statement. "That's two written invitations you've received," Cynthia said, "but there have been quite a few more phone calls."



"And what did you tell them?" Brian asked.



"That I would talk to you."



"And you're just doing this now?"



"I was afraid you might react this way. I have been trying to think of a good way to present the requests to you."



"No presentation is going to make them any better. I'm not interested."



"But Brian, they just want to thank you."



"Yeah, now. Where were they back when I became mayor and had to walk through the protesters everyday, and try to survive the bad publicity? I don't fucking think so."



Cynthia sighed. "If that's what you want…"



"That's what I want," Brian said abruptly making the tone of his voice spell out that he would accept nothing less.



"I'll let them know," Cynthia said closing the door behind her. She wanted to see Brian get the recognition for what he had done. He had been a

good mayor, he had worked hard and he deserved to know that his efforts were appreciated. But … that didn't seem to be what was going to happen. She went to her desk to start making the phone calls.



-----



Frank Jankowski arrived a few minutes early for his appointment with Brian. He went over to Cynthia's desk and greeted her. She smiled at the older man and asked how his wife Maria was doing. Frank had been one of Brian's staunchest supporters right from the outset. Well, at least he had been willing to give Brian the benefit of the doubt way back then, which eventually led him to become Brian's biggest ally.

Cynthia buzzed Brian and told Frank he could go in.



"Hey, Frank, how are you?" Brian asked as the older man made himself comfortable in the chair across the desk.



"I'm very good, but also a little sad that I won't be working with you much longer."



Brian smiled in spite of himself. "I … feel the same way."



Frank grinned back. "I hope we can stay in touch and maybe have dinner occasionally. Maria will skin me alive if I don't keep in touch with you and Justin."



"Thanks, Frank. I'd like that, and I'm sure Justin would too," Brian said fondly. "So, what brings you here today, or was that it?"



"No, Mr. Mayor, there is something else."



"Yes?" Brian said raising an eyebrow.



"You know that property that we bought for the homeless rehab center?"



"Yes." Brian wondered what was going on. That project was well under way. He wished he could still be mayor when it came to completion in a few months.



"I was hoping we could finish it before you left office, but that's not going to happen."



"I know," Brian said sadly. "What's the problem? The funding is all in place. It should be finished on time."



"I would like to meet with Jamal Jefferson. It looks like he's the frontrunner in the mayoral race. I want to get some assurances from him about this project, and I think you should be there."



"Don't you think he's going to carry through on it?" Brian asked.



"Truthfully I don't know, but I'd feel much better if we could get his commitment."



"Want me to set something up?"



"That would be great, and be part of the meeting."



"If Jamal can spare us half an hour," Brian added. "The campaign's in the last days."



"Thanks, Brian, and I wanted to mention … um … I've been …. Um …."



"Frank, it's not like you to beat around the bush. What the fuck are you trying to say?"



"The city council wants to give you a gift as you leave office. I've been asked to find out what you might like," Frank blurted out.

Brian laughed. "And I bet I wasn't supposed to know."



"No," Frank admitted sheepishly.



"Well, tell them to spend the money on something for the city. I don't want gifts, and I don't want presentations, and I sure as fuck don't want another rubber chicken dinner."



Frank blanched. "I'll tell them," he said, "but they're not going to like it."



He made his way out of the office. He had accomplished one of the things he wanted by getting Brian to agree to meet with the man who would likely be the next mayor of Pittsburgh, but he had failed miserably at the other objective. Maybe Cynthia could help him.



Frank went over to Cynthia once again and explained that the council wanted to honor Brian. He saw her grimace as he said that. "What's the matter?" Frank asked her.



"You're about the sixth person or group who want to show their appreciation to Brian. He has refused them all."



"He has? I had no idea."



"Brian … Brian's not somebody who likes public displays of affection."



"Why not?"



"He's not big on emotion in the first place. It embarrasses him, and he doesn't trust it."



"That's kind of sad."



"I know, but that's the way he is."



"You don't think he'll let anybody thank him publicly?"



She shook her head. "I don't think so."



"I don't like that at all. He deserves some recognition for everything he's done."



"I agree, but he won't go for it."



"Well, think about it, Cynthia. If you can come up with a way to let Brian know that the city appreciates his hard work, I'd really appreciate it."



"I can think, but even if I came up with something, there's no guarantee our esteemed leader would go along with it."



"That's too bad," Frank said shaking his head and then making his way out of the office.



"Yeah," Cynthia said softly as she watched Frank walk away. She wondered what could be done, but nothing came to mind. She knew Brian's

attitude about such things, and she didn't know of any way to change it. Then it hit her.



-----



Justin was getting his stuff together to go to PIFA when the phone rang. Brian had left hours before. Justin let the phone continue to ring figuring it was probably for Brian and the answering machine would pick up. He was just about to put his coat on when he heard Cynthia's voice.



"Justin, if you're there please pick up."



"Cynthia," Justin said into the receiver as he grabbed it off the base. "What's wrong? Is Brian all right?"



"Don't panic; everything's fine."



"Jesus, you scared me. You never call here like that. What's going on?"



"I need to talk to you about something," Cynthia said mysteriously.


Chapter 50 by Thyme

 

Mayor Kinney

* 50 *

"Two weeks, Brian," Cynthia said.

"I know," Brian grimaced.

"It seemed so far away a couple of weeks ago and now…"

"I have a lot of things to sort out before I leave office," Brian said. "The new mayor will be taking over soon, but I want to try to ensure that a few of the programs I've started will continue."

"Do you think that can be done?" Cynthia asked rather skeptically.

"I don't know Jamal Jefferson very well, but I've got a meeting scheduled with him before he takes over. It was supposed to happen before the election, but we couldn't fit it in. He's coming here on Tuesday, and Frank wants to have a few minutes of his time. Will you set that up?"

"Sure. Anything else?"

"You should start packing up anything you want to take with you."

"I should?"

"I think I've found the place I want for our offices when we open Kinnetik."

"Kinnetik?"

"That's the name Justin came up with for the new agency."

"I like it, sounds dynamic and full of promise."

"Yeah, Justin is a clever lad," Brian said with a smirk.

"That's exciting news about the new offices. Where are they?"

"Not telling. I haven't finalized the deal and I want it to be a surprise."

"You're mean," Cynthia reacted.

"You're just figuring that out now?" Brian asked with his tongue in cheek.

"Give me a hint," Cynthia pleaded.

"No."

"Asshole."

Brian chuckled. He enjoyed making Cynthia wait. Even Justin didn't know what he had planned. "Let's get some work done before we leave. I want the latest figures on public transit and any improvements that my changes have made. I need a report from the workmen at the homeless rehab, and any other updates that our new mayor might like to look at."

"I'll get right on it, but I still want to know where I'll be working after I leave here."

"You and Justin are two of a kind."

"You haven't even told him?"

Brian merely raised an eyebrow. Cynthia shook her head as she left the office. Brian smiled to himself. He was enjoying this.

-----

Jamal Jefferson sat across the desk from Brian. He surveyed the office that would soon be his and made a few mental notes about things he wanted to change when he took over. He and Brian had discussed some of the current initiatives that Brian had been working on. Jamal was in favor of almost all of them. They were waiting for Frank Jankowski to arrive so that they could discuss the homeless shelter. Apparently it was a pet project of both Mr. Jankowski and the current mayor.

"So, Jamal, do you think you're ready for this?" Brian asked.

"Being mayor, you mean?" Brian nodded. "I don't know if you can be ready. There really isn't much training for taking on a job in politics," Jamal said.

"It's on the job training. I learned that the hard way," Brian said thinking back to all the things he had had to deal with especially during the tumultuous first days of his term.

"Any advice for the new mayor?"

Brian snorted. "I don't think you need any. I saw the way you handled yourself during the campaign. You've come a long way from last time when we ran against each other."

"I'll take that as a compliment," Jamal said. "And I'll give you one in return. I watched how you handled yourself in the most difficult of situations. I learned a lot from you."

"Thanks, I think, although I certainly hope you don't have to deal with crap like that."

"You've broken the way for gays. Blacks are already an established fixture in politics. I don't think I have any other skeletons in the closet that people may attack me about."

"Don't be too sure," Brian cautioned with a shake of his head.

"What do you mean?" Jamal asked with a frown.

"There's always people out to get you when they don't agree with something you're doing. And no matter what side you take in an argument, there's always the opposing side ready to take offense and bite back."

"Sounds like a barrel of laughs."

"You don't know the half of it. Be careful, that's all."

"I'll try."

"And if you really believe in something, don't let them sway you. Stick to your guns."

"Just like in the westerns?" Jamal asked with a wicked grin as he pretended to draw two six-shooters from the imaginary holsters on his hips. He took aim at Brian.

"That'll get you in trouble with the anti-gun lobbyists," Brian said seriously.

"Christ!"

"Religious right will be down your throat," Brian smirked.

"Shit!"

"Waste management people," Brian grinned.

Jamal knew he was being had at that moment. "You're playing me," he grinned back.

"A little bit, but you need to think before you open your mouth, otherwise you'll be spending all your time trying to dislodge your foot."

"You know, you're scaring me," Jamal replied with a little grin. Brian actually was scaring him.

"See, that's exactly what you have to do. Say the truth, but don't let them see actual fear."

Jamal's eyebrows went up in surprise. Kinney could really nail what was going on. He hoped he would become as good at doing that as Brian was.

The phone buzzed and Brian picked it up, telling Cynthia to send Frank in.

Half an hour later Frank walked out of Brian's office with Jamal. He liked the new mayor and suddenly felt much better about Brian leaving when there seemed to be another conscientious and caring man to take his place. They stopped in the lobby to shake hands, and Frank on impulse invited Jamal down the hall to his office. There was something they needed to discuss.

-----

"Brian, are you ready for the council meeting?" Cynthia asked.

Brian looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "I'm always ready," he replied tersely. He knew something was going on but he hadn't been able to figure out just what. Cynthia never asked him a question like that. She knew he was always prepared. "Why do you ask?"

"Oh … um … it's your last one as mayor," she stumbled along. "I just wondered if you … um … had something special in mind."

"No, do you?" he asked staring at her.

"Me? God, no."

"Then go finish packing up. This is all I'm taking with me," Brian said gesturing to a single cardboard box that sat on his desk.

"That's it?"

"Yep."

"Okay, I'll call Chuck and ask him to take it down to the limo. You can make a fast getaway once you introduce the new mayor to the council."

"Sounds good to me, then no more limo," Brian said philosophically. "Justin's going to be pissed when I want the Corvette back."

"Do you think he'll give it to you?" Cynthia asked with a chuckle.

Brian glared at her. "Get your ass in gear. I'm going down to the council in five minutes."

"Yes, boss," she said as she walked out.

Brian looked around the office. He had spent a lot of time there over the last two years and there was a twinge of sadness at leaving. Not so much because he would miss the place, but more because of things he had wanted to do as mayor and hadn't had time to get to. He walked over to the window and looked out.

After the next few minutes there would be someone else standing at this window surveying his kingdom of greater Pittsburgh. He hoped Jamal would do it proud. He hoped he had done it proud for the short time that it had been his responsibility.

Brian took a deep breath, straightened his tie and opened the door to his office for the last time. He looked over at Cynthia's desk, but it was empty. She must be in the washroom or someone else's office. In fact it was strangely quiet on the whole floor. He shrugged and took the elevator down to the council chambers.

The doors were shut which was strange. They usually stood open while all the councilmen made their way into their seats. They were closed after the mayor entered. Brian frowned and wondered what was going on. All was quiet through the doors. He couldn't hear any heated discussions or general chatter. He looked at his watch. This was the right time and he was sure this was the right day. He pulled the door open.

The applause was deafening as he stood in the open doorway. The council room was packed with all the councilmen standing and applauding at their seats. The galleries were filled to overflowing and he could see Michael and Deb and Lindsay with Gus. He took a deep breath and tried to suppress the urge to run away.

"What the fuck is going on?" he said as the applause died down.

"Come on in, Mr. Mayor, and take your seat for the last time," Jamal Jefferson said directing Brian to his usual seat. Justin was already sitting in a chair next to his grinning at him.

Brian glared at Justin who shrugged and continued to smile. "What the fuck have you done?" Brian spat out not at all pleased with this turn of events.

"Be quiet and listen," Justin said sternly.

Brian was about to make some scathing comment when Justin touched his shoulder tenderly and turned him in his chair to look at the new mayor.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Jamal said, "would you please be seated and we can get this little shindig underway. I understand the current mayor is a little skittish about this kind of assembly, so we best hurry before he escapes on us." There was polite applause and some chuckles. "I'd like to start by saying that I am beginning to realize that I have big shoes to fill here at City Hall. I only hope I can inspire all the affection and hard work that has gone into this celebration. You're a lucky … and deserving man, Brian."

Brian felt the color rise in his cheeks. He had told them not to do this. How was he ever going to get through this without a public meltdown? He felt the panic rising, and then Justin's hand slipped into his interlacing their fingers, and he knew it would be all right.

Jamal had been saying something else and then had sat down. He was replaced at the microphone by Frank Jankowski. Brian looked over at Frank and shook his head.

"Don't shake your head at me, Mr. Mayor," Frank chuckled. He cleared his throat. "Brian Kinney is an acquired taste, and for those of us who have acquired it, it's hard to say goodbye." He glanced over at Brian who looked decidedly uncomfortable. "You'll enjoy this, so relax."

"You better be right," Brian said still not looking pleased.

"He's good at threats, and most of the time I listen," Frank explained. "I listen because I know his heart is in the right place."

Brian glanced over at the gallery and saw Melanie shaking her head at Frank's words. Some things never changed. He saw Debbie who gave him a little wave and a big smile. Lindsay was waving Gus' hand at his father. Brian smiled at Gus and the little boy giggled back.

"That's much better, Brian," Frank was saying seeing the smile on Brian's face. "We know you didn't want any kind of testimonials when you leave, but we all felt that we wanted to express our appreciation to you, so with Geoffrey, Justin and Cynthia's help, we've cooked up this little get together. So sit back and enjoy it."

Brian wondered what they had cooked up. He saw something covered by a velvet cloth sitting on the council table. He groaned inwardly. He didn't want gifts, unless maybe it was a giant sized tube of lube and a few thousand of his favorite condoms. He was going to have to be gracious and pretend he liked whatever monstrosity they had purchased for him. Then he was going to kill Justin and Cynthia and that fucking Geoffrey. He glanced around and spotted Geoffrey sitting smugly in the gallery beside Adam Pritchard and Louise. Shit! Were they all there?

Suddenly Adam stood up and Brian realized that Frank had called him up to speak. He directed his attention to the man wondering what he was going to say.

Adam cleared his throat. "Good afternoon, everybody. This is my second trip to this council chamber. The first time I came here was to talk about homeless people and their problems. I came because Brian asked me and because at that time I too was homeless." Adam waited till they all digested that fact. "I'd say I've come a long way since then. I'm superintendent of an apartment building, earn a decent wage and have regained my life. And that's all due to Brian Kinney. He got me started on the right track with a hundred dollars and more than a little faith in me. Since then I have become the director of the Angela Dubkowski Fund which provides a hundred dollars to homeless people who want to clean up and look for a job. We have eighteen success stories since we started that initiative. I have six of the people who have benefited from this fund here with me today. Would you please stand?"

Four men and two women stood, looking neat and tidy and sober, and rather like upstanding members of society.

"I am about to take on a new role," Adam continued as the former homeless people sat down. "I've been hired as the director of the new homeless facility that will be opened in a couple of months. I'm here to say thank you to a remarkable man who has made an overwhelming difference in my life. In fact he probably saved my life, because I was pretty close to the bottom when he found me. Thanks, Mr. Mayor."

Brian stood as Adam came over to him and they shook hands. "I'm sorry at this moment that I got you involved in all this," Brian said with a grimace. "But I'm proud that you're going into that new job."

"Me too," Adam said and turned to go back to his seat.

Frank was back at the microphone. "There were many people who wanted to speak today, but we knew that Brian didn't want endless speeches. Adam seemed the most appropriate person to speak since he had been at the heart of one of the Mayor's most successful initiatives.

"We wanted to get Brian some kind of token to remember us all by, but he made it clear he didn't want anything. So we had to do some intense thinking about how to handle this. And for some of us that was pretty difficult." Polite laughter followed that statement. "It was Justin who mentioned and reminded us of Brian's interest in the homeless. It seems that they, as a group, often get forgotten in today's society. With Justin and Adam's help and Geoffrey and Cynthia's expertise, we have come up with something we think you may like, Brian. Would you come over here?"

Brian stood and reluctantly made his way over to the microphone. "This better be good, Frank."

"Hold on," Frank replied shaking Brian's hand. "You'll like it. Ladies and gentlemen, I would like you to see the plaque that will be attached beside the front door of Adam's new workplace."

Frank threw off the velvet cloth and revealed a brass plaque leaning against a box. It said:

SANCTUARY


THE BRIAN KINNEY BUILDING

Brian gulped. "You can't do this, Frank. You have to be dead to have a public building named after you." Brian hesitated trying to get his breathing under control. "I'm not dead, am I? Although this sure feels like an out-of-body experience."

"No, you're not dead, Brian. We voted a special dispensation just for you."

Brian knew Frank was still holding onto his hand, and he was glad for the support. He felt slightly faint.

"Speech, speech," several voices called out.

Frank finally let go of Brian's hand and gestured to the mike. Then he went to sit down. Brian took a couple of slightly wobbly steps over to the microphone. He cleared his throat and stared out into the audience. He could see Hunter and Ben and Ted and Emmett and Chuck and Phydeau. He felt slightly sick. He cleared his throat again.

"I am royally pissed off," he began sternly. He saw people gasp and recoil slightly. "I told everyone that I didn't want this kind of thing. Apparently you people haven't learned to believe me when I say something." Brian paused dramatically for effect. He wondered if they thought he was going to walk out on them all. The thought was very tempting.

"I … guess I should say thank you," Brian continued after a bit. "I never expected anything like this. Having the building named after me is a real tribute that I don't think I deserve. But I'll be gracious and accept it because I know you thought you were doing something good. I couldn't think of anything that would mean more to me than that.

"The thing I'm most proud of is how Adam and his friends have turned their lives around. If this building can help to do this for others, help them to return to productive members of society, then I accept this gesture most gratefully.

"You all know that I don't like long speeches, so I think I'll stop now. I just want to add that you have a new mayor with whom I hope the council will cooperate. A lot can be accomplished … together." Jamal smiled fondly at Brian.

"And lastly there are a few of you that are going to have to be severely disciplined for taking part in all this. Justin!" Brian said. Justin blushed and scrunched down in his chair. "Come over here!"

Justin stood and moved slowly over to Brian. When he could reach him, Brian pulled his lover up close against his body.

"This one has been my strength and my support from day one. I couldn't have gotten through all of this without him." Brian leaned in and kissed Justin. When he released Justin's lips he whispered, "Spanking … later." Justin blushed and leaned against Brian. He knew he was forgiven for his part in the festivities and that Brian was at least somewhat pleased with what they had done.

Brian realized that the applause was continuing around the room. Frank stepped up to the mike and told everyone that there was cake and coffee out in the foyer. The next thing Brian knew people were streaming by and shaking his hand and wishing him well. He listened to their comments and their praise knowing that he would be forgotten soon enough. But it was kind of nice to hear some of these things, especially after the way his term as mayor had started.

As the line began to thin out Brian saw Geoffrey approaching. He gave him a stern look and then squeezed the man's hand in a warm shake. "Take care of things around here," Brian said. Geoffrey nodded and turned away. "And stay in touch," Brian added. Geoffrey turned for one last look and a big smile for his former boss.

"Brian, Chuck has everything in the car. It's all ready to go when you are," Cynthia said.

"I'll call you in a couple of days … about our new enterprise."

"You better," Cynthia said as she leaned up and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Want to take your son?" Lindsay asked.

Brian lifted Gus out of her arms and into his. "Having fun, Sonny Boy? Nothing like a day off school to make for a great time." Gus nodded enthusiastically. Brian kissed his cheek and set him down. He went off to get cake with his two mommies.

"He's a great little boy," Adam said coming up beside Brian.

"And you have a great new job. I'm so pleased," Brian said sincerely.

"Me too. And I'll really be able to help some of the street people."

"I know you'll do a great job. Thanks for being here today, Adam. Now go get some cake." Adam smiled and moved away.

"Brian," a timid voice said at his elbow.

"Louise," Brian said hugging the woman who had at one time been a protester outside City Hall, protesting against the new fag mayor. She was now a good friend and his most faithful advocate. "You're looking good."

"I'm engaged," she gushed. "And I'd like to invite you to my wedding."

"I'd love to come as long as it isn't tomorrow."

"A few months," she said as she held onto his hand for a moment longer and then moved away.

"You done good, kiddo," Debbie said stepping in and giving him a kiss on the cheek. Then she proceeded to wipe the lipstick off his cheek.

"We're so proud," Emmett added with a tear in his eye.

"You've been a great mayor, Brian," Michael told him and gave him a kiss. Ben and Hunter shook his hand nodding their approval.

"Thanks," Brian replied, "but you may be overstating the case a bit."

"Great work, Bri," Ted said as he went by.

"Theodore."

Brian's little family made their way out to get some cake. Brian looked around for Justin who had been trying to stay in the background.

"Come here, you," Brian ordered. Justin came forward and Brian grabbed him and kissed him heartily. "Ready for that spanking now?"

"Can we go?" Justin asked relieved that the celebration was over and Brian hadn't killed him or had a major meltdown.

"You bet," Brian replied dragging Justin out another doorway. He quickly led them to the front where the limo waited with both Chuck and Phydeau standing beside it. Chuck opened the door for them. "I'm going to miss you two," Brian said shaking their hands.

"We'll still be around, at the club, on Liberty. Stop by sometime," Chuck said and Phydeau nodded his approval.

"I will," Brian said. As he climbed into the car after Justin, he said, "Take us down Liberty." Chuck winked and got behind the wheel.

They pulled away and Justin leaned against Brian's chest. "Are you sad to be leaving it all behind?" Justin asked.

"No, I can't say that I am. I've enjoyed some of it, but I'm looking forward to the future."

Justin smiled. That was just what he wanted to hear.

"Did I tell you that Cynthia loved the name you came up with for our new ad agency?" Brian asked.

"I'm glad she liked it. I was pretty proud of it when it came to me."

"I had thought up a name too," Brian said with a twinkle in his eye.

"You did? You didn't tell me. What was it?"

"I thought we could combine our names," Brian said.

"Oh, like Kinney-Taylor Advertising? But I'm not a partner," Justin observed.

"I was thinking of reversing that order and shortening it down."

"Huh?" Justin asked trying to figure it out.

"As in Tay-Kin … and you are my partner."

"Taken? Oh! OH, my God! That's the sweetest thing you've ever said," Justin said leaning in for a kiss.

As the kiss ended Brian hit the button and the passenger window slowly went down. "There's our temporary office," Brian said pointing to an old building between Torso and the diner. It proudly bore the sign of Kinnetik above the door.

"Hey, that looks great, and it will be so convenient for food from the diner." Brian rolled his eyes. But why temporary?" Justin asked.

"I want to buy and renovate the old baths when I have the money, so we need to get to work and be the biggest fucking success Liberty Avenue and Pittsburgh and the whole fucking United States has ever seen."

"Can we start work tomorrow?"

"I suppose. Why?"

"I'm ready for my spanking now." Justin grinned.

"Or for a little … lovemaking?"

"Definitely," and Justin melted into Brian's arms.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1390