Glass Houses by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Is the old adage about glass houses true?

Story #53 of the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 38797 Read: 10868 Published: Jan 02, 2019 Updated: Jan 02, 2019

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Glass Houses

Chapter 1



“So, what’s the verdict?” Bobby asked as Brian and Justin came out of the examination room. True to his word, Bobby had driven the injured but still dynamic duo to the doctor. The boys were poked, prodded, x-rayed and MRI’d.

“Well, the boy wonder here,” Brian pointed his thumb at Justin, “gets to start some light exercises.” He handed a sheet of instructions to Bobby.

“Doable and awfully familiar,” Bobby stated as he rotated his pitching shoulder.

“And you know this because...?” Brian arched a brow.

“Because,” Bobby rolled his eyes, “I had to do these same exercises on many occasions. Pitcher here, all through high school and college. Baseball got me through law school.” Bobby glared at his brother-in-law. Brian had the good grace to blush. “Just like those legs of yours got you through college. You’ve still got them soccer thighs,” Bobby teased as he waggled his eyebrows.

“Hey!” Justin protested while Brian smirked. He batted his eyes at Bobby. “And since when do you look at my partner’s thighs?”

“Since forever. I find the differences between the brothers fascinating, don’t you?” Bobby asked as he ushered his charges back to his car after they had made their follow up appointments. “Your Kinney has wonderfully toned thighs and legs. While my man is fuller in his upper body with more muscles. That comes from all the heavy lifting and using all his handheld equipment.”

Justin nodded in agreement. As an artist and a man whose passion was drawing the human form, especially the male human form, Justin had noticed the difference.

“Which is also why no matter what the doctor says, Brian is going to be Mister Grumpy until he’s able to run again,” Bobby whispered as he leaned closer to Justin. Justin nodded. No matter how much better Brian was feeling it wasn’t good enough. And it wouldn’t be until he was standing on his own two feet.

“When do you go for PT?” Bobby asked Justin in a louder voice.

“The doctor will let me know soon, but he thinks after my next appointment,” Justin answered as Brian got him strapped into the back seat of Bobby’s car. “I’m allowed out of the sling for longer periods and for the exercises, but he doesn’t want me to push it.”

“He’s being cautious. He doesn’t want your shoulder to pop out again. I can recommend a good therapist, he used to be in Harrisburg but he recently moved to Pittsburgh. It’s a long way to commute for therapy but it’s worth it. Maybe your old man will let you stay in the loft for a month. You can paint and go to therapy,” Bobby suggested but didn’t think Brian would go for the separation.

“Um, I guess we’ll discuss it when the doctor says I’m good for therapy,” Justin murmured. He wasn’t too keen on the idea either, but he wanted to be out of the sling and back to painting full time. He had a lot of ideas swimming around in his head for his next project and he still had some very important commissions to complete.

Brian was cursing to himself but if it was for Justin’s well-being, Brian was prepared to sleep alone for a month while Justin completed his therapy.

“You know there’s no reason why you can’t use a stationary bike,” Bobby said to Brian. “The treadmill is out of the question but we can get you an exercise bike.”

“That’s a great idea!” Justin said hoping Brian’s mood would improve. Brian only grunted as he nodded. He’d look into it when they got home.

“Now what about your greenhouse? When is John going to start?”

The boys discussed the greenhouse plans as well as the plans for the new and larger cottage all the way home.



*****



“What the fuck is this?” Brian growled as they slowly made their way up the lane.

“We seem to be in a traffic jam,” Bobby chuckled as he looked around at all the trucks. There was ground shifting machinery, a small crane and lots of men with their student apprentices marking out territory, stacking wood and overall creating a lot of noise.

“Maybe we should move into the loft now,” Brian grumbled as he stared at the organized chaos before hobbling toward his ‘peaceful’ home.



*****



“Okay, now what has your knickers in a twist?” John growled at his brother. “You’re sulking, looking like a spoiled brat. If I didn’t think in some perverse way you’d enjoy it, I’d put you over my knee. Now what’s the problem?”

Brian just scowled up at his brother. He had been watching the workers for a couple of hours. It was noisy as hell and Brian was getting a headache. Justin was with Bobby learning his exercises. The kids were still in school.

“Wait,” John said putting up his hands. “Let me guess, the noise is disrupting your life. Well, tough shit, Brian. What’s that old expression? You can’t make an omelette without cracking a few eggs. You want a greenhouse and a bed and breakfast type cottage, I have to crack a few eggs. We won’t be working late into the night and the greenhouse will be done in about a week,” John explained. Brian’s eyes lit up for the moment.

“Once the greenhouse is up, it’ll muffle the noise of the other cottage being built. Here,” John said handing Brian a set of plans.

“What’s this?” Brian asked respectfully.

“I transcribed your sketch into architectural plans. This is your greenhouse, complete with measurements and floor plans. I took the liberty of contacting Todd and faxing him the plans. He’s waiting for your call so you can order the plants. If he can’t find you a pre-fabricated pond, I’m sure he can design what you want. I have very talented men; we’ll consult with Todd and make you your pond with waterfall.”

Brian nodded, feeling a little better. At least he had something he could be doing besides feeling sorry for himself and pissing everyone off.

“Go, call, order beautiful plants and trees and whatever else you want and stop looking like you’ve lost your best friend. As far as I know Justin and Michael are still talking to you.” John gave Brian a poignant look with an arched brow.

“Are you still talking to me?” Brian asked contritely.

“Barely,” John replied as he gave his brother a strong hug and bussed his head. “Go on,” John whispered as he released Brian. Brian took the plans into the kitchen where it was relatively quiet to make his call.



*****



“What’s going on?” Bree asked as her Uncle Bobby drove her and Patrick up their lane.

“Your Dada is getting his greenhouse built, and we’re adding a new cottage to the lane,” Bobby explained.

“Already?” Bree said with a sigh. She knew there were plans for the greenhouse and a new building for Uncle Michael and Uncle Ben, but this was too fast.

“Did Dad get all the students he wanted?” Patrick asked.

“He had more than enough applicants as soon as the internship was posted,” Bobby replied. “He chose the ones with the best recommendations from their teachers.”

“How long are they going to be here?” Bree asked with a scowl.

“Most of the summer,” Bobby told her.

“It’s noisy,” she declared.

“I want to help my Dad with the building,” Patrick stated ignoring Bree’s negative comments.

“You know you can’t go to the site without your Dad’s permission,” Bobby said firmly.

“I know,” Patrick conceded. “But he said I might be able to.”

“And when did he say this?” Bobby asked his son.

“This morning.”

“Is that right?”

“Yep,” Patrick replied confidently.

Bobby frowned, as he had heard nothing of this before. He’d have to talk to his mate about it. “Here we are,” he announced to the children as he pulled the Navigator to a stop at Edna’s Treasures.

The children hopped out and Bree ran into the house while Patrick stood looking down the lane at the big machines that were starting to clear the land for the B&B building.

“You want to go down there, don’t you?” Bobby asked as he put his hand on his son’s shoulder.

“Yeah. Can we, Poppa?”

Bobby smiled. “Okay, I’ll walk down with you to find your dad, but you have to stay right with me. No running around or going off the lane.”

“Okay, Poppa,” Patrick said happily as they started walking towards the construction site where portable fencing had already been erected.



*****



Bree ran into the house yelling, “Daddy, Dada!”

“Yes, sweetheart,” Justin called. “We’re in the sun porch.” He was painting at a big easel, but his arm was still in its sling. Brian was staring out at the backhoe that was digging the foundation of the greenhouse.

Bree dropped her backpack at the door to the sun porch and skidded to a halt in the middle of the large space. “Why are they making so much noise?” she demanded tapping her little foot and crossing her arms on her chest. She obviously was not pleased with this turn of events.

“You sound just like your Dada,” Justin said with a little smile.

“I don’t like it!” she declared.

“Neither does your Dada.”

“Then why doesn’t it stop?” Bree wanted to know.

“You wanted a greenhouse so you and Dada could do gar-gar in the winter, didn’t you?” Justin asked. He put his paint brush in a can of solvent and walked over to his daughter. “This has to be done so they can build the greenhouse.”

“But…” Bree started.

“I can tell you don’t like it, sweetheart,” Justin said gently, “but sometimes we have to have short term pain for long term gain.” That’s what Bobby had told him earlier about the exercises for his shoulder.

“I don’t like the short term pain part,” Bree parroted back. She covered her ears with her hands. “It hurts my ears.”

“Mine too,” Brian mumbled totally agreeing with his daughter.

“Tell them to go away, Dada,” Bree said emphatically.

“I wish I could,” Brian replied.

Justin shook his head at his two unhappy but favorite people. “I’m going to get you a snack. Where’s Patrick?”

“I don’t know,” Bree said clearly still upset.

“You stay with Dada and I’ll go find him,” Justin said. He knew Bobby had driven the children home, but he hoped they weren’t down by all the dangerous equipment that was now in the lane. He was sure Bobby would be taking good care of his son, but it was better to be safe than sorry. Justin walked out of the sun porch.

“Dada?” Bree said.

“Yes, Squirt.” Brian still had his back to his daughter, watching the earth mover scarf his beautiful lawn in preparation for the greenhouse.

“I don’t like it.”

“I know. Neither do I.”

“Then make them stop,” Bree repeated.

“I can’t,” Brian said turning to face his unhappy daughter.

“You can do anything, Dada,” Bree declared.

“Unfortunately that’s not true,” Brian said sadly.

“Yes it is, Dada.”

Brian shook his head. “Come over here and sit down,” he said using his crutches to get him to one of the chaises. Bree climbed up beside him. “Sometimes things don’t go quite the way we expect,” he said softly while Bree snuggled up against him and he put his arm around her little shoulders.

“How come?”

“Unexpected things happen, or we maybe don’t think about all the possibilities that come about as a result of a decision we make.”

“Like the noise?”

“Exactly like the noise,” Brian said kissing the top of her blonde head.

“I don’t like the noise,” Bree reaffirmed just as the earth mover rattled the windows of the sun porch. “The windows won’t break, will they?”

“They better not,” Brian growled.

Bree giggled. “I love you, Dada.”

“I love you too, Squirt.”

“How long will they make so much noise?”

“Until they get the area cleared for the foundation of the greenhouse.”

“And then it will be over?”

Brian shook his head. “No, Squirt, then there will be hammering while they put up the framework, and maybe other noise when they insert the glass panels.”

“I don’t like it,” Bree repeated again and with an unhappy scowl.

“Me either, but we need to remember that at the end of all the noise we’ll have our greenhouse. We can grow hibiscus and orchids, and do gar-gar all winter.” Brian looked hopefully at his daughter. Maybe if he could convince Bree, he could also convince himself that this was for the best.

“But you can’t do no gar-gar, Dada. ‘Cause of your crutches.”

“But by wintertime, long before wintertime, I should be better. We can have flowers all winter long.”

“That would be nice,” Bree agreed with a sigh.

“Yes it would.”

“I’m hungry,” Bree informed her father.

“Then let’s get you a snack. I don’t know where your father has got to, but we can do snacks ourselves, can’t we, Squirt?” Brian asked getting up and leaning on his crutches.

“Yes, Dada, and I vote for a not healthy snack.”

“What kind of not healthy snack would you like?”

“Ice cream!”

Brian stifled a chuckle. Justin would have a fit when he found out that Brian was giving their daughter ice cream. Just then the earth mover made another large bang as it dug into the earth. The windows rattled again. “This situation definitely calls for ice cream,” Brian stated as he headed for the kitchen.

“Definitely ice cream,” Bree agreed as she glared at the offending equipment outside the sun porch. Then she followed her father to the kitchen for the yummy ice cream.



*****



“Where’s Patrick?” Justin asked as he found Bobby standing outside the fence that had been erected around the construction site for the B&B. “He didn’t come into the house with Bree.”

Bobby glanced into the construction site. “Over there,” he said pointing to an area of the enclosed space.

Justin looked in that direction. He could see John standing with his son talking animatedly. Patrick was wearing a hard hat just like John’s. “Should he be in there?” Justin asked. “Isn’t it dangerous?”

“No and yes,” Bobby said. “Apparently Patrick and his father discussed this early this morning without consulting me.”

“Probably because they knew you wouldn’t approve,” Justin supplied.

“Exactly,” Bobby agreed. “Would you want Bree in there?”

“Of course not, but you know that Patrick’s always been interested in buildings and what John does.”

“Why couldn’t he be interested in law?”

Justin chuckled. “How many kids are fascinated with torts and lawsuits?”

Bobby made a face. “He does draw buildings all the time. He has created some really good futuristic buildings.”

“I think architecture is his calling,” Justin speculated.

The two men stood watching John and his son. John was explaining something to Patrick. He kept pointing to what looked like a set of blueprints in his hands. Patrick was taking it all in, looking at the blueprints when John indicated that he should. He would nod his head and make some comment. John was seemingly enjoying his discussion with the small builder that happened to be his son.

“They’re loving it, both of them,” Bobby said after a minute.

“Yeah, sometimes it’s hard to watch them be so close, isn’t it?” Justin said.

“Hard,” Bobby agreed. “But you’re talking about Bree and Brian doing gar-gar, aren’t you?”

Justin nodded. “They have so much fun together. I’ve tried to do gardening with them, but it’s not really fun for me.”

“And they both know that,” Bobby added.

“Yeah, they do.”

“I wonder if that’s how Brian feels when you and Bree are painting together?”

Justin looked surprised for a moment. He studied Bobby’s eyes. “I never really thought about that, but maybe he does. Sometimes I see him watching us.”

“I see him watching too - with jealousy in his eyes,” Bobby chuckled.

“You think so?”

“I bet it is.”

“Just like when John watches you and Patrick play ball,” Justin felt compelled to point out.

It was Bobby’s turn to be surprised. “Yeah, but John plays with us sometimes.”

“For about five minutes,” Justin informed him. “And then he goes to get drinks or do something else.”

“Yeah,” Bobby admitted, “that’s usually what happens.”

“I’d say we’re really lucky that we have interests that each of us can do with our children.”

“Yeah, lucky,” Bobby said staring at the joyful looks on his husband’s and son’s faces. “They’re really enjoying themselves.”

“I better get back to the house,” Justin said. “I was going to get snacks for the kids, but I thought I better check that Patrick was okay.”

“You love that boy almost as much as I do,” Bobby said with a smile.

“It wouldn’t be possible to love him as much as you do, but I love him a lot.”

“Hey, you two,” John called. “I have a hungry young man here.”

“And I have a hungry young lady at home,” Justin informed John.

“I just told Gordon that I was knocking off for the day. They’re going to start cleaning up and getting ready to leave,” John said. “I could use a snack too.”

“Then let’s get up to Edna’s Treasures and get some grub,” Justin suggested with a laugh.

“Did you have fun on the site?” Bobby asked Patrick as they all started walking up the lane.

“Did you see the big machines, Poppa? They’re awesome, and Dad was showing me the plans of what they’re going to build. See the hard hat he got me. It fits real good, and I have to wear it whenever I’m on the site, and it’s going to be awesome when they start building…”

John and Justin watched Patrick and Bobby walk ahead of them, with Patrick jabbering away about everything he had seen on the construction site. Bobby was smiling and asking him questions.

“You sure made Patrick’s day,” Justin said.

“He made mine,” John corrected. He wore a huge grin on his face.

They walked into Edna’s Treasures to find Bree feeding her father from a big bowl of ice cream. After her father ate a bite, she had a big bite of her own. They were both laughing as they wiped ice cream from their faces.

“Looks like today is full of father/child moments,” John said.

“Oops,” Brian and Bree said together when they realized they had been caught.

“There’s plenty more ice cream in the freezer,” Brian said with a smirk.

That was all the invitation that the others needed for an ice cream pig-out.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 2





Brian fumbled for the phone hoping to grab it before it woke Justin. “What!?” he demanded as he placed it against his ear.

“Pop?”

“Gus, what’s wrong?” Brian asked sitting up in bed. Worry was his first reaction.

“Did I wake you up?”

“Yes, you fucking woke me up,” Brian grumbled. “Hold on for a minute.” He headed for the bathroom on his crutches, holding the portable phone clumsily in one hand with the crossbar of his crutch. It was impossible to talk and walk at the same time. “Why are you calling at 5:30 in the morning?” Brian demanded as he got inside the bathroom. “You better be in jail or lying in a gutter somewhere.” Brian could tell by the sound of Gus’ voice that this wasn’t an emergency, but he didn’t appreciate being woken up at this ungodly hour.

“Sorry, Pop,” Gus said contritely. “I just passed the general store. I’ll be at your place in ten minutes.”

“What?”

“Yeah, I should have been there yesterday for the beginning of the construction. I’m documenting it for Uncle John. You knew that, didn’t you?”

“Of course I fucking knew that,” Brian snapped as he took his morning piss.

“Well, Mom really wanted a little more time with me, so I decided to stay an extra day with her and Candy.”

Brian felt his anger melt away. “Did you have a good visit?” he asked.

“Yeah, it was great. She and Candy are doing good.”

“I thought they seemed good at the Memorial Day barbecue.”

“They said they had a good time. I hear you and Justin aren’t in such great shape. Why didn’t you tell me?” Gus asked pointedly.

“I didn’t want you to worry,” Brian said as he went back into the bedroom and found some shorts to put on. He headed for the kitchen to start the coffee. Justin was still asleep.

“You should have told me about your injuries,” Gus said. “I would have come home.”

“To do what?” Brian asked pouring water into the coffeemaker.

“Get things for you, take you to doctor’s appointments…”

“We have all the help we need, and Nurse Briana’s nose would have been out of joint with anyone else taking over her job of looking after us.”

Gus chuckled. “I bet she’s all over you.”

“You got that right,” Brian snorted. “But she’s also been a big help.”

“That’s great,” Gus replied. “I’m just coming up to the gate for the lane,” he announced.

Brian hobbled over to the intercom and released the gate.

“Thanks, Pop, I’ll be at the house in a minute.”

Brian smiled to himself as he cut the connection with his son. He used his crutches to go to the front door of the house. He opened it and went outside. He could see Gus’ black Jeep making its way up the lane. The vehicle came to a stop in front of Edna’s Treasures and Gus hopped out. Brian’s breath caught in his throat for a moment. His son looked so much like he used to, and getting out of the black Jeep…Brian felt like he was in a time warp.

“Aren’t you glad to see me?” Gus asked when Brian merely stood there staring at him as he approached.

Brian gave himself a shake. “Yeah, I am,” Brian said softly, pulling his son into a warm hug. “But don’t call me at fucking 5:30 in the morning.”

“Yes, sir,” Gus replied with a laugh. They headed inside.

“Why did you feel the necessity of calling so early, and what the fuck time did you leave Pittsburgh if you’re here before six?”

“I should have been here yesterday to document the students starting their first day of the internship. If I didn’t come early, I’d miss the second day too.”

“Okay, so why not call your Uncle John?”

“I didn’t want to wake him.”

“Great!” Brian said with a snarl as he poured them each a coffee.

Gus chuckled as he fixed his coffee. “I knew you’d want to know that I was here.”

“And you wanted some breakfast,” Brian added knowingly.

“Well, yeah, but I guess I won’t be getting that with you on crutches,” Gus said as his father sat down at the kitchen table and leaned the crutches against the wall.

“I can still cook.”

“But you don’t need to. I can have some cereal or something…”

“I said I can cook,” Brian stated firmly.

“What if you tell me what to do and I cook. I could use a lesson. I’m sort of pathetic when it comes to cooking.”

“So Ray does the cooking?”

Gus grinned. “Yeah, he’s pretty good. But we eat out a lot.”

“Junk food?” Gus nodded sheepishly. “That stuff’ll kill ya.”

“Well maybe,” Gus admitted.

“So let’s make you a proper breakfast,” Brian said.

“I’ll do everything,” Gus volunteered. “You just tell me.”

“Okay, let’s start with eggs.”

“Great,” Gus said happily as he took a dozen eggs out of the fridge.

“I don’t think you’ll need all of those,” Brian observed.

“I thought we could cook for everybody.”

“Let’s start with us. If it works out, we’ll try it for everyone else. They should be getting up in about half an hour.”

“Okay,” Gus agreed as he cracked several eggs into a bowl.

“Whisk them to get a lot of air into them,” Brian advised. Gus did as instructed. “Seems like I’ve been teaching a lot of people the secret of my eggs,” Brian added.

“You’ve had help … with your leg?”

“Yeah, Justin and I didn’t really have anything to do for the barbecue. Everyone pitched in.”

“That’s good.”

“Yes, it was. It’s great to have everyone together, working as a unit, not bickering … except for Michael.”

“Michael? “Gus asked.

“Yeah, something’s up with him.”

“Have you asked Ben?”

“Kind of.”

“And…?”

“He doesn’t really know. They had a fight while they were here for the barbecue.”

“A fight? Wow, I didn’t think they ever fought.”

“Looks like they do. Put some butter in the frying pan and get it heated up,” Brian advised his son.

Gus did as instructed. “Maybe when your leg is better, you can figure it out.”

“I’m trying to stay out of other people’s business these days.” Brian explained.

Gus chuckled. “You know you’ll get sucked in.”

Brian scowled. “Cook your eggs,” he ordered as he sipped his coffee.

Within a half hour, the family followed their noses to the kitchen. Gus was plating up a huge batch of scrambled eggs while Brian was buttering up a platter of toast.

“3-2-1,” Brian mumbled to himself.

“GUUUUSSSSS!” Bree shrieked as she realized the man at the stove was her brother. She flung herself into Gus’ arms.

“Hey, short stuff,” Gus said as he scooped her up. Gus’ face was immediately peppered with hundreds of kisses. The guys laughed as Bree giggled with delight.

“Hey, you,” Brian began, “breakfast first then get ready for school. You’ll have plenty of time to continue the lovefest with Gus when you get home later.”

“Dada, do I hafta go to school today?” Bree asked from Gus’ arms. She batted her big violet blue eyes at her older father while her little bow lips formed a perfect pout. The men all turned to look at Brian who merely arched a brow as he gave Bree a stern look.

Bree gave a big put upon sigh. “Okay, Dada,” Bree said as she slid out of her brother’s arms. Bree sat in her chair as Brian placed a plate in front of her. The guys chuckled as breakfast commenced and their day began.



*****



Gus gathered his equipment as the construction crew began to show up. They all gathered around a coffee cart which happened to show up at just the right time.

“Is that guy going to be a permanent fixture on my lane?” Brian grumbled as the cart owner got out of the cab of the truck to open up his cart.

“Only during the construction,” John assured his curmudgeon of a brother. John smiled to himself as he shook his head. Brian seemed to enjoy finding something to complain about. “And he’s discreet. He’ll forget all about the lane once the projects are complete.”

Brian nodded then hobbled over to the cart.

“What can I get ya?” the man asked cheerfully.

“Coffee, black and sweet,” Brian barked. Within seconds the man handed Brian a large cup. Brian took a cautious sip and his brow went up.

“Not bad,” Brian conceded. He then dug into his pocket and pulled out a wad of cash. “For the guys, and do you come back at lunchtime?” Brian asked. The man nodded. “Bring good stuff and give me the bill,” Brian growled.

“Will do,” the man said with a smile as Brian turned to carefully hobble away.

“Hey Pop,” Gus greeted as he made his way to the cart. “Anything good in there?” Gus cocked his head toward the cart.

“Didn’t I see you eat breakfast?”

“I’m a growing boy,” Gus said with a grin.

“I can recommend the coffee.”

“Cool.” Brian waited as Gus made his way to the cart, standing in line until it was his turn. He then joined his father at the side of the lane. Brian could handle his crutches very well but it was difficult with a cup a piping hot coffee in his hand.

“I thought you were going to visit Mel?” Brian asked as Gus sipped his own coffee and bit into a sticky bun.

“Yeah, well, Mama wound up going to some sort of conference with Lorna,” he replied, sounding slightly dejected. “Personally, I think Lorna has a problem with men.”

“She is a dyke,” Brian quipped. “And you think you’re a man, huh?” Brian snarked. Gus turned to face his father then waggled his eyebrows making Brian laugh. “Okay, Sonny Boy. And how is Ray?”

“He’s great. Do you think he can spend some of the summer here? He’s only taking one summer class and he’ll be done in two weeks.”

“If it’s okay with his fathers, it’s fine with me. Clear it with Justin, first.”

“I will, thanks Pop.”

“What about you, no summer classes?”

“This is my summer class,” Gus said as he dug into his bag then waved around his camera. “Uncle John spoke with my advisors. I can use the documentary for PIFA, and the report I’ll write for my business class at Penn. It’s all good, Pop!” Gus said proudly.

“Sounds like you have it all under control, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he patted Gus on his back.

“Yeah, well Dr. Uncle John did most of the talking but he did make an offer each school couldn’t refuse. He’s smart, Pop, just like you,” Gus said with genuine admiration in his voice.

“Yes, he is,” Brian admitted as he bussed Gus’ head. “Go, make a documentary about architecture,” Brian commanded.

“Okay, Pop,” Gus said with a broad smile. He took his father’s empty cup, tossing it into one of the many trash cans that the crew had set up along the lane. Then Gus met up with John to get further instructions.

“Hey.”

“Hey,” Brian replied. “Are you allowed to be out of your sling?” Brian asked as he spied Justin's arm out of its harness.

“Yeah, for a little while. I’m going to do some of my exercises and I need to stretch first.” Brian nodded, that sounded right to him. “He looks so much like you,” Justin remarked about Gus.

“Maybe.”

“No maybe about it.”

“Yeah, but he has your disposition and Lindsay’s. Certainly not mine. And not Mel’s, thank the gods.”

“You did good, Bri,” Justin said as he gently leaned into his mate.

“We did good, Sunshine,” Brian said as he kissed Justin’s temple.

They stood for a while, shoulder to shoulder, sort of, watching the organized chaos as the crews continued to mark out the foundations for the greenhouse and the new cottage. A new truck entered the lane and slowly made its way toward them.

“Todd, how’s it going?” Brian called out as Todd jumped down from the truck.

“Fine!” Todd replied with a smirk. If he’d live to be one hundred, Todd would never live that down.

“What are you doing here?” Brian asked.

“Just wanted to get a feel of the place.”

“Nothing much to see yet,” Justin said.

“I know but it helps me to get a perspective. I love the idea of all those tropical plants in the middle of the Pennsylvania countryside. I forgot how much land you have out here,” Todd said as he looked around. “Would you mind if I consult with John? I want to see the area of back wall where the pond will be going.” Brian waved his wrist and Todd walked into the fray.

“He’s gotten so much more confident since last year,” Justin observed.

“Yeah.”

“It’s because of you.” Brian shook his head. “It’s true, Bri. You showed confidence in him and supported him. It’s paid off, just like it does at Kinnetik. You are the master,” Justin said with a twinkle in his eyes.

“Does that mean you’re my slave?” Brian asked with a lascivious grin.

“Wanna find out? The kids are at school and Bobby went to work. The cottage is quiet.” The sound of earth moving equipment punctuated Justin’s statement. “Relatively speaking.”

“And you do have to exercise that arm,” Brian said with a smirk. “I seem to recall that you did exceptionally well with your hand exercises.” Brian waggled his eyebrows.

“I had a very good teacher.”

“It’s a tough job but I think I’m up for the task,” Brian said as he began to quickly hobble his way toward Edna’s Treasures.

“I just bet you are,” Justin laughed as he followed his spouse.



*****



“Emmett and Drew have offered to let me stay in their cottage for a few days and I’ve decided to accept,” Ben said to Michael as Michael was getting ready to go to the store.

“But why? We’ve never been apart since we got married.”

“Yes we have. You’ve gone away for comic conventions and I’ve had to stay home.”

“That was different. That was for work.”

“I know, Michael. I just want time to myself.”

“Away from me you mean,” Michael grumbled.

“No, Babe, just away from the city. And there’s no reason why you can’t come with me. We’ll have the cottage all to ourselves. This is a very busy time for Emm and Drew. And Richie isn’t finished with school just yet.”

“What about JR?”

“She can stay with Lindsay and Candy. It won’t kill her to spend time with her mother.”

“But the store...”

“You have plenty of people to help you out at the store and I bet if you called Danny he’d pop in to supervise. Joan practically runs his bookstore. And JR will be there after school.” Ben had it all worked out.

“I don’t know,” Michael whined.

“But I do. Michael, I need some time off. Emmett and Drew generously offered their cottage and I’m taking them up on it until the new cottage is built. Brian promised us a suite of rooms all to ourselves and I’m looking forward to it.” Ben sounded very determined.

“I gotta go,” Michael mumbled as he pecked Ben’s lips.

“I’ll pass by the store before I drive up,” Ben stated.

“Okay,” Michael said softly as he grabbed his keys and left the house to get into his car. Before he started the engine, Michael leaned his head against the steering wheel. Michael was feeling tired and lately something was nagging at him. Why was Ben leaving him? And it seemed awfully convenient to go now when Brian was stuck at home. And Michael wondered again why he was always feeling so tired lately? He tried to think when his last physical was and his last HIV test. He couldn’t remember either.

“Maybe it’s time for me to go,” he mumbled to himself. “Shit! What if...” Michael started the car then peeled out into traffic.



*****



“Emmett, it’s Ben.”

“Hiya, honey!”

“Emm, I’d like to take you up on your offer of the cottage if you don’t mind.”

“Of course not, sweetie. Drewsie and I can’t possibly go up there until the fourth of July. All those June brides and grads, you know. There are fresh sheets on the bed but you’ll have to hit the store before you get there. We cleaned everything out over the weekend.”

“No problem, Emm. Thank you, and please thank Drew for me.”

“Nonsense, honey, you enjoy, put your feet up and commune with nature. Although it might be a little noisy with all the construction going on, but it shouldn’t be too bad at our end of the lane.”

“Thank you, Emm, knowing Brian I’m sure it won’t be too bad.”

“Okay, sweetie. Have fun. Tootles!”

“Bye, Emmett.”

Ben looked around the room for a moment then started to pack.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 3






“Gus?’

“Yes, Mama,” Gus replied into his cell phone. He was in the middle of interviewing one of the interns at the construction site when his cell phone had rung.

“I just wanted to let you know that Lorna and I are back from the conference. You can come visit whenever you like,” Mel said, thinking Gus would jump at the chance.

“I don’t think I’ll be able to visit you this summer,” Gus said carefully.

“Why not?” Mel snapped. This was not what she had expected.

“I have a really busy summer,” Gus told her. “I don’t think I can fit it in.”

“Fit it in!? I’m your mother.”

“I know, Mama, but I’m in the middle of work right now. Could we talk about this later?”

“Are you brushing me off?” Mel demanded.

“No, Mama, nothing like that,” Gus replied. He glanced at the intern who had a satisfied smile playing on his lips. Gus hated to sound like such a baby trying to make nice with his mother.

“Then you will come to Portland,” Melanie stated in her best authoritative voice.

“No, Mama, I really can’t.”

“Gus…”

Gus cut the connection and turned off his cell phone. He could just imagine the messages that would be waiting for him when he had time to turn it on again.



*****



“Lindsay!”

“Mel, is that you?” Lindsay asked as she answered the phone.

“You’re fucking right that it’s me. What have you been telling that ungrateful son of ours?”

Lindsay could hear the anger in Mel’s voice. “Calm down, Mel. I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Like fuck you don’t! I bet you and that asshole Kinney put him up to this.”

“Put Gus up to what?” Lindsay asked in bewilderment.

“That ungrateful little pup says he’s too busy to come visit me this summer. He’s got the whole fucking summer ahead of him, and he’s too fucking busy. I don’t bloody think so!”

“Gus is busy, Mel,” Lindsay said calmly. “He just started working with John. He’ll be doing that all summer.”

“John? What the fuck is he doing with John? He’s supposed to be interning at Kinnetik.”

“John offered him a job of videotaping the course he’s giving on building.”

“Course? When did John Anderson get to be a teacher?”

“Not a teacher, an associate professor.” Lindsay relished telling Melanie that.

“P…Professor?” Mel sputtered. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“Oh, that’s right,” Lindsay said smugly. “You don’t bother to keep up with the happenings of your discarded family here in Pittsburgh.” She paused to let that sink in, but before Melanie could start contradicting that statement, Lindsay continued, “John got his PhD. He’s Dr. John Anderson now, and he’s conducting an internship course this summer. That’s what Gus is filming.”

“Well, la-dee-da!”

“Mel!”

“I don’t give a fuck what John Anderson is doing. I want to know why my son feels he can tell me that he won’t come to Portland.”

“That’s Gus’ decision. I have nothing to do with it.”

“Bullshit! You’ve probably been crying and moaning about how hard done by you are since I left, and how you need your sweet little baby there with you,” Mel said sarcastically.

“In spite of what you might think, I don’t cry and moan, and certainly not over you. If anybody is crying and moaning at the moment, I would say it was you.”

“Me?” Mel asked in amazement.

“What else would you call what you’re doing?”

“I … I fucking hate all of you,” Mel shouted then slammed down the receiver.

Lindsay pulled the phone away from her ear. “Score one for me,” she said with a smile as she closed her cell phone.



*****



“Kinney!”

“Who is this?” Brian asked as he answered his cell phone.

Justin looked over at Brian who was ensconced on a chaise in the sun porch. Justin was painting at an easel, finding that the flowers of Hawaii were an unending inspiration for him, even if his arm still ached a lot of the time. He mouthed, “Who is it?”

Brian shook his head as he started to listen to Melanie Marcus’ rant.

“Where the fuck do you get off, Kinney, telling my son that he can’t come to Portland this summer! I always knew you were a fucking asshole, but this goes way beyond your usual crap. You are a class A bastard. How dare you?”

“I didn’t dare. I have nothing to do with Gus’ summer.”

“He’s there with you, isn’t he?”

“He’s working for my brother and earning credits for his schooling,” Brian said smugly.

Justin looked at his husband. “Melanie?” he asked.

Brian nodded and moved his fingers and thumb together and apart to indicate that she was rattling on about something. Justin surmised that it was about Gus. What else did those two have in common?

“I want my son here in Portland this summer,” Melanie stated forcefully. “You need to see that’s what happens.”

“Is that some kind of obscure threat?” Brian asked sarcastically.

“I want my son.”

“Did it ever occur to you that if you made yourself available more often, he might do the same?”

“Me? Available?” Melanie sputtered.

“Gus told me that he had intended to visit you and your new squeeze, before he started work, but you were too busy. Had to go to some conference with your new love. I hope the sex was worth it.”

“You son of a bitch! How dare you?”

“Oh, I dare a lot of things,” Brian replied. “You might do well to remember that people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.”

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?”

“When you figure it out, maybe you’ll understand why Gus isn’t coming to Portland and why the rest of us don’t give a fuck.” Brian snapped his cell phone shut. “Remind me to get a new phone number that Melanie fucking Marcus doesn’t have,” Brian said to Justin.



*****



“Man, Pop, I’m tired,” Gus said as he flopped into a chair at the kitchen table.

Brian looked at the clock. “It isn’t even four,” Brian said.

“I know, but I’ve had it.”

Brian continued cutting up veggies for the kids’ after school snack. They loved veggies and dip. “The working life is not for you, I take it,” Brian observed.

“Huh? No, work is fine. All these young interns have some weird ideas about life and what the real world is like,” Gus replied.

Brian smiled. “And you, of course, are way past weird ideas.” Gus made a face at his father. “Are the weird ideas weird because you don’t agree with them, or are they merely someone else’s weird view of the world?”

“One kid told me that he plans to be a world famous architect,” Gus said shaking his head. “Isn’t it enough to just be an architect?”

“Don’t you want to be a world famous cinematographer?” Brian asked.

“Um, well, I’d like that, but I don’t go around telling everybody that’s what I’m going to be.”

“Maybe this kid has a big ego. There’s nothing wrong with setting your expectations high.”

“No, but it seems so…”

“Unrealistic?”

“Yeah.”

“What’s that old expression – your reach should always exceed your grasp?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Aim high,” Brian said tersely.

“Oh.”

“Maybe you should look at that as an aspect of what you’re filming,” Brian suggested.

“What aspect?”

“Sonny boy, you really must be tired. Get with the program. I believe every good film has a hook. What if that was the hook for yours – interns developing, adjusting, forming expectations for their futures. Maybe some of them will find out that they want to be architects. Maybe the kid who thinks he wants to be a world famous architect might discover that he really wants to be a carpenter.”

“How likely is that?” Gus asked.

“You never know,” Brian said philosophically.

Gus sat up straighter in his chair. “You know, you’re right. I do need a hook. I was talking to one kid this afternoon. He was surprised he got accepted in this program. He didn’t seem to have very high self esteem.”

“Unlike some people we know who have expectations beyond the pale.” Brian didn’t say that he was thinking about Melanie Marcus.

“I think I see what you’re getting at. Show how the interns are at the beginning of the summer, and how they have grown and changed by the end.”

“And don’t forget the ones who don’t change at all.”

Gus grinned. “You’re the best, Pop. I’ll have a great tutorial for Uncle John, but it will also show how this process can be a life changing experience.”

“Now you’re cooking with gas, my boy,” Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.

“Thanks, Pop.”

“No problem.”

“GUUUSSS!” Bree shrieked as she ran through the front door of the house. The princess was home.



*****



The shortened work week flew by quickly, especially after Mel’s annoying phone calls ceased. Brian chuckled to himself as he watched the progress on the greenhouse safely from the edge of his own garden. His brother, John Anderson, PhD., thank you very much, had the deans from both PIFA and Penn State email Melanie with their letters of praise and commendation for Gus. The email included praise for the parents of the enterprising young man who worked so diligently on his two majors and yet found time to help out his fellow students as a mentor and tutor. Unbeknownst to the parents, Gus had become a friend to several students that came from alternative families and were struggling with it. The deans’ attributed Gus’ easy mannerisms and self confidence to his parents and how well he was raised. They also mentioned that it was an honor to be associated through Gus, to such distinguished members of the community.

The email successfully shut Melanie up for the time being.

“Wow, this is amazing!” Justin commented as he sidled up to Brian’s side. “They’ve done so much already.”

“Yeah,” was all that Brian said as they both watched John’s men begin erecting the ‘bones’ of the greenhouse. “John said that it would go up fast since there’s no basement to dig and that all the pipe and electrical lines were easy to extend from the lane.”

“I’m glad all the lines are underground,” Justin said. There was nothing to disturb the view and the risk of a tree falling on a power line during a storm was nonexistent. “What are you going to do in the front?” Justin indicated the land in front of the cottage-like facade of the greenhouse.

“A short lawn similar to what’s in front of our house. Same for the B&B,” Brian said.

“Are you going into the hotel business?” Justin joked.

“Not! But Emmett did make his recommendations for a large communal kitchen and I did promise Michael and Ben a suite of rooms they can call home for whenever they want. I guess if a friend of a friend wanted to book a room or two for a vacation, we could work something out, but this is for our family.”

“Speaking of Michael and Ben...”

“Yeah, Ben arrived the other day and made himself at home at Emm’s cottage. Something’s up with those two and I’m not sure it’s a good thing,” Brian said as he moved closer to Justin. Ben and Michael had been a couple almost as long as Brian and Justin. They were shining examples of monogamy and fidelity in their community. As much as Brian teased and snarked about them, somewhere deep down inside, Brian admired Ben and Michael.

Justin linked his fingers with Brian’s in silent agreement and so much more. He knew that love wasn’t always enough to keep a relationship going. It took a lot more. Justin turned his head to kiss Brian’s shoulder. He felt Brian gently squeeze his hand in acknowledgment.

“So what do you think?” Gordon asked the partners as he loped over from the site.

“I’m impressed!” Justin responded with an eager smile.

“It’s all right,” Brian said automatically. “What brings you out of the Village? I thought your missus had you wrapped around her little finger and knee deep in cut flowers,” Brian said, referring to Betsie’s flower shop in the Village created by John and Gordon.

“She lets me out on occasion especially when the bossman has a bug up his nose about an important project.”

“And this is important?” Brian asked with an arch of his brow.

“As important as it gets. Besides, it’s good for him,” Gordon said seriously, pointing towards John’s general direction with his chin. “He needs to put all that higher education to good use. John’s a natural born teacher and good with young minds. I’ve never seen him happier,” Gordon added.

Brian had to admit that there was an extra spring to his brother’s step. And his enthusiasm was contagious, if Gus’ excited attitude was any indication. Although Gus had no interest in architecture, his artistic mind could appreciate the aesthetics of the designs and his logical mind was learning the business end of the project.

“Your large stone cottage is a challenge for these youngens. They all assume new buildings mean glass and steel,” Gordon said with a smirk. “The adjustment is good for them,” he laughed. “I gotta get back. I’ll see you boys later,” Gordon said as he went back to the site.

As Gordon walked back to the cottage site, Todd and Donald drove up in a garden center truck.

“What brings you two out here so soon? There’s nothing much to see,” Brian commented.

“On the contrary, there’s a lot to see and to work on,” Todd stated. “See that?” Todd pointed toward where the back wall of the greenhouse was staked out. There was a huge pile of stones that was going to be part of the back wall. “We decided that your pond will be part of the wall and that’s where me and Donald come in,” Todd announced proudly as he waved his set of plans in front of Brian’s nose. “So if you’ll excuse us, we have a pond to build.” Todd smiled as he turned to go toward the greenhouse. Donald grinned and with a shrug of his big shoulders followed Todd.

Justin laughed at the look of amazement on Brian’s face. “Come on, big guy, let’s go over. I know you want to put your two cents in,” Justin said as he led Brian toward the greenhouse.



*****



Everyone in close proximity of the construction site wore hard hats, even Gus had one fitted to his specifications. Brian noted that his son had his head bent over the special table that held the plans of both the greenhouse and the cottage. The plans were protected by a sheet of plexiglass. The table itself was housed in a tent that the men used as a base to take their breaks or eat lunch.

“What’s this?” Brian asked no one in particular as he studied the building plan which was really a blank rectangle except for structures in the back and what looked like double walls by the doors. He pointed at a rectangle near the front.

“A bathroom with stall shower,” a very large man answered. He was helping himself to a cup of coffee. The snack cart man had set up several coffee urns for the crew along with barrels of iced bottled water. He came back a few times in the day to replenish the coffee, water and other snacks and sandwiches.

“Are you sure?” Brian asked as he did a double take. The man was large, well muscled and had many tools hanging off his tool belt. Brian resisted the memories of his own little tool belt man.

“Tom,” the man replied as he wiped his hand on his pants before offering it to Brian. Brian readily shook his hand. “I’m the plumber. I’ve been working with John and Gordon for years but usually on their city projects. This is a first for me but I couldn’t resist your brother.”

“Yes, my brother can be very persuasive when he wants to be,” Brian said as he looked the big man up and down.

“He warned me about you,” Tom said as he wagged his index finger up at Brian. Brian gave Tom his most innocent, ‘who me?’ look, making Tom laugh. “Let me explain what we’re doing here,” Tom said after he calmed down from laughing.

“This is the front door that faces the lane,” Tom began in a lecture mode. "It has an antechamber so that in the winter the plants won’t get a blast of cold air when someone comes in. Just to the right will be a coat rack area. It’ll give you somewhere to hang your...”

“Coat?” Brian interjected.

“Or work apron. We thought a small bathroom would be more helpful instead of just a toilet and sink. Considering the amount of work you’ll be doing in here with some of your larger plants, it might come in handy to be able to shower off before tracking dirt through your house.”

“Yeah, and having a bathroom in here will come in handy with all the barbecues we throw. Our plumbing is happy with the six of us. When the family shows up...”

“Yeah, John did say you have a big family and they all like a good party. It’ll only have a small water heater but it’ll be good for a fast rinse. Since the greenhouse will hold tropical plants, we’re installing baseboard heating. The glass and plants will help to keep it steamy in here so it won’t take much to heat up the place. We’re also installing drains in the floor for the run off, overhead sprinklers if you want it to rain all at once and you’ll have a spigot to attach a hose.”

“You guys have thought of everything.”

“In the back will be your pond. Todd is working on an idea he had for another project when he was in Chicago, but the client decided against it.”

“What kind of idea?”

“On the inside, the pond will look like it extends out of the back wall. Part of it will be outside with a small opening so that the fish can swim in and out. It’ll be deep enough so that the water won’t freeze and it can be heated if you wish. We’ll be installing underwater lights which will also keep the water warm plus add to the overall effect.”

“Some of the lights will shine on the outside?” Brian asked. Tom nodded. “Good, it’ll be part of the security system and prevent anyone from accidently bumping into it. And this?” Brian pointed to the other square at the side.

“The side door which will be opposite from your sun porch. We’ll eventually link your path that runs through your garden through the hedges then to the greenhouse. This door will also have an antechamber. I believe John said something about an arbor around both doors so that they’ll blend in with your front door but it’ll also help protect the side door during a storm. John said that the front has a tendency for snow drifts. You like?”

“I like, and for a plumber you know a lot about other shit.”

“Hang around John long enough and you pick up all sorts of stuff. Break time’s over. I better get back before John comes looking for me. I’ll be seeing you around, I’m sure.” With that, Tom tossed his empty cup in the trash and walked outside.

“Yeah,” Brian mumbled to himself, staring at the plans and quite in awe of his ‘doctor’ brother.

“Hey, Pop!” Gus came into the tent searching for his dad. “Todd has some questions about hedges and stuff. Can you come out?” Gus asked his father who looked a little preoccupied. Brian shook himself out of his reverie.

“Yeah, sure. I’ll be right there as soon as my crutches can get me there.”

“Okay, Pop. This is so cool!” Gus said with a huge smile, complete with youthful enthusiasm. “It’s almost like we’re building this together, ya know.”

“I know,” Brian couldn’t help but smile.

“Is this how it felt when you guys built the treehouse?”

“Yeah,” Brian said after a moment’s thought. “It is. But I gotta warn ya, Sonny Boy, your uncle is quite the slave driver,” Brian said in a whisper as he leaned closer to Gus.

“Oh Pop!” Gus laughed.

The Kinney men made their way through the site toward Todd.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 4





Ben walked out of Emmett’s cottage. He had been there for a few days, and he found himself relaxing and smiling more than he had in a long time. He strolled through the gate and started up the lane, looking at all the construction equipment and activity that was going on.

His smile grew broader, as it occurred to him that all the noise and bustle that was occurring on the lane should be defeating the purpose of him staying there. On the contrary, he found the activity interesting and invigorating. Maybe that old saying about a change being as good as a rest was actually true. Ben stopped in front of the gate that marked the opening of the construction site for the new cottage. Part of this new building would be his. That made him smile even more.

“You look like the cat who just swallowed the canary,” John said as he came over to Ben.

“Maybe I look that way because that’s how I feel.”

“Really?” John asked rather surprised. “I would have thought that construction would be the last thing you’d want if you were looking for peace and quiet.”

“I’m not sure what I’m looking for,” Ben replied, his eyes watching the earth movers, but his brain somewhere else far away.

“Sounds like you need a trip to the big rock by the stream,” John suggested.

“You know I think subconsciously that’s where I was heading.”

John chuckled. “That rock does have a pull. I think we should give it a name. Let’s see – how about the Contemplating Stone?”

“Hm, has possibilities,” Ben agreed, “but contemplating is such a big word.”

“Too big for some of the young’uns?” John asked with a twinkle in his eye.

“The vocabulary of the younger generation isn’t what it should be,” Ben conceded.

“Maybe you can think of a good name for our rock while you’re sitting on it.”

“Maybe I can. Hasn’t it always been called the Thinking Rock?”

“Yeah, but never officially named that.”

“You don’t think Brian will object to me using the rock, do you?” Ben asked.

“It’s my rock too. You have my permission to use it.”

“Thanks, I’m going to take you up on that.”

“Oh, and if you’d like to look at the plans for this baby,” John said indicating the cottage site, “come over to our place tonight and I’ll show you.”

“I think I’d like that,” Ben replied. “I’ve enjoyed being alone since I got here, but I think I’ve had enough of that for now.”

“See you later tonight,” John said as he started back into the site. “If you’d like to come for dinner, feel free. We always have lots.”

“Thanks,” Ben said taking a last look at the construction, and then heading for the stream.

As Ben walked down the path towards the stream, his cell phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out and looked at who was calling. He let it go to voicemail. He wasn’t ready to deal with that yet.

Ben came into the clearing near the stream. The big rock stood waiting for him, partially in shade, a little bit of it in the sun. Ben sat down on the shady side. The sun was not his friend due to the medication he took. He pushed himself farther up onto the rock and laid back. The sky was very blue and almost cloudless as he looked through the leaves of an overhanging branch. He drew in a deep breath of the good country air. He smiled to himself. This was just what he needed. He closed his eyes and let his mind wander.

In spite of himself Ben kept picturing Michael. His husband and lover, who had pretty much ceased to be his lover over the course of the last few weeks. Ben had never felt so alone as he had since Michael had started to reject his advances. Sex was only a small part of the problem though. Michael had been drawing away from him. Ben could feel it in everything that they did. That was the reason he had to get away from Michael. It was the reason he was here.

“Want some company?” a voice asked from somewhere off to the side.

“No!” Ben said abruptly before he could stop himself. He needed time to think. He hadn’t come here for company.

“Fine, I’ll leave you alone,” the voice said.

Ben sat up turning to see who had spoken to him, even though he was pretty sure he recognized the voice. “Brian, it’s fine,” Ben said. “I didn’t mean to be rude.”

“I didn’t think you were being rude. If anyone knows rude, it’s me.” Brian chuckled. “I merely thought you wanted to be alone, so I’ll head back.”

“You came all the way out here on your crutches to see if I wanted to be alone?”

“Yeah, I guess I did.”

“Come and sit down. I can spare you a few minutes.”

“Wouldn’t want to be pushy,” Brian said his tongue in his cheek as he hobbled over to the rock.

“You, pushy?” Ben asked with a laugh.

Brian scowled at him as he handed Ben his crutches and hoisted himself onto the rock. At that moment Ben felt his phone vibrate again. He pulled it out, glanced at who was calling and promptly put it back in his pocket.

“Michael?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, how did you know?’

“I know Michael. He’s a persistent little bastard when he wants something.”

“I wish I knew what the fuck he wanted,” Ben said with a sigh.

“Such language, professor,” Brian joked. “Care to tell me what’s going on with you two.”

“I wish I knew.”

“That makes two of us,” Brian said. “That altercation between you two at the barbecue was … out of character.”

“You think we don’t fight?” Ben asked.

“Every couple fights,” Brian replied knowingly. “You guys never fight in public.”

Ben nodded in agreement. “Michael hasn’t been … himself,” he said slowly.

“I’ve noticed.

“Has he told you what’s wrong?”

Brian shook his head. “Has he told you?”

“No, or I wouldn’t be asking you,” Ben said tersely.

“Have you asked him?”

Ben shook his head. “Whenever I try to broach the subject with him, he turns it into a fight.”

“A fight?”

“Yeah, he picks some little thing in what I said and starts a fight about it.”

“Is that why he was so upset about his present at the barbecue?” Brian asked.

“It’s a good example of his current behavior.”

“When Michael is being an irrational idiot, more than usual, that is,” Brian added. “Then there’s something wrong.”

“I know something’s wrong.”

“I don’t think you understand me, professor. I mean something is really wrong?”

“Really wrong? But what…?”

“Like he’s sick or he thinks you’re sick, or something’s wrong with Debbie or Hunter, or the store’s in trouble and he doesn’t want to tell you. Something dramatic.”

“Shit!” Ben replied.

“You don’t have any idea what it could be?”

“No, I don’t,” Ben said shaking his head.

“You guys get tested regularly, don’t you?” Brian asked.

“Of course we do.”

“And there hasn’t been an accident … lately?”

“You mean like a broken condom or something?”

“Yeah.”

“Nothing I can think of, but…”

“But what?” Brian asked raising an eyebrow.

“Michael hasn’t been feeling well for a few weeks. I told him to go get a check up at the doctor’s, but he hasn’t gone.”

“You don’t think he could be really sick, do you?”

“I don’t know.”

“Look, as someone who is a cancer survivor, get him to a fucking doctor. I mean it, Ben.”

“I’ll try.” Ben pulled out his cell phone again and looked at the display.

“For fuck sake talk to him,” Brian ordered as he retrieved his crutches and slid off the rock. His work there was done.

Ben opened his phone. “Michael?” he said.

Brian used his crutches to get himself over to the path. He so wished his ankle was good enough not to use the crutches, but not yet. He hoped soon.

“Ben, why haven’t you answered my calls?” Michael demanded.

“I’m answering now,” Ben said steeling himself for a fight, but refusing to be sucked in.

“Have you had enough of the country life? Are you coming home?” Michael asked.

“Not yet,” Ben said.

“Why the fuck not!?”

“I need some time, and I think you do too.”

“I don’t need time. I need … you,” Michael admitted.

“You’d never know it the way you’ve treated me lately,” Ben accused.

“I … I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry, Michael. Do something about it. Tell me what’s going on.”

There was a very long pause. “I can’t, not yet,” Michael said finally.

“Michael…”

“Someone just came into the store. I have to go,” Michael said quickly and cut the connection.

Ben closed his phone. “That accomplished fuck all,” he muttered. He wracked his brain about what he could do. Maybe he could ask Brian to talk to Michael, but Michael wasn’t talking to him either. Maybe he should invite Michael to come to the lane for the weekend. Ben could hear the excuses already about why Michael couldn’t do that. Maybe he should call Debbie. That would fix Michael in more ways than one. He didn’t really want to do that. Ben laid back on the rock and closed his eyes. The Thinking Rock had no answers today.



*****



“Hey.”

“Hey.”

“Where ya been?”

“Down by the old mill stream,” Brian teased but only got a perplexed look from his young lover. He remembered his father singing parts of that song when he came home drunk and was in a ‘frisky’ mood. Poor Joanie had a lot to cope with during that time.
“I went to the big rock. I saw Ben go down there and I thought he could use some company,” a euphemism for prying.

“Find out anything?” Justin asked as he began setting up his mini canvases. He had his sling off and even though his dominant arm was not affected, the limited use of his left arm and hand threw Justin off balance.

“Nothing specific but I have a feeling that the condom broke and Mikey’s thinking the worst,” Brian ventured.

“Shit!”

“My sentiments exactly. As much as I love both of them, they’re going to have to work this one out by themselves.”

“I think you’re right,” Justin agreed then became very quiet as he prepared his palette. “Bri, my therapy.”

“What about it?”

“I really need to get the use of my arm back.”

“Yeah, and…?” Brian wasn’t sure he was liking the direction this conversation was about to turn.

“The therapist is in the Pitts.”

“And you want to stay at the loft,” Brian said as Justin looked up at him with moist eyes. They had just celebrated 20 years of their unconventional relationship and now it looked like they were about to be separated by a dislocated shoulder. Brian snorted at the irony. After all the time he intentionally pushed Justin away for ‘his own good,’ Brian couldn’t bear the thought of Justin leaving him even if it was only temporary.

“We’ll work it out, Sunshine,” was all that Brian could say as he carefully drew the younger man into his arms. “Love you,” he whispered into a golden lock covered ear. He felt Justin nod into his chest.



*****



The month of June was moving along a bit too fast for Brian who saw the passage of time as a personal attack on his fleeting youth. He still had to use crutches while Justin had just been cleared for more ‘active’ therapy instead of the passive exercises he had been performing.

The great god Kinney was not happy.

“And what’s got your knickers in a twist now? There’s no pleasing you, is there?” John growled at him. Brian had the good sense to look contrite. Brian was standing on the new path that connected his garden with the greenhouse property.

“The greenhouse looks like it’s ready for plants,” Brian said taking a different tack.

“Let’s make sure the stone facades are dry before you start moving in the dirt and stocking the pond with koi,” John snarked.

“Yes, sir,” Brian teased. “He was cleared for therapy,” Brian murmured after a while. John stared at him as he made the mental leap from the greenhouse to Justin.

“And the recommended therapist lives in Pittsburgh,” John put it all together. Brian nodded looking so pitiful that John couldn’t help but chuckle. Big bad Brian fucking Kinney, the super genius of the advertising world, entrepreneur supreme, master of the barbecue grill and reigning king of their lane was pouting like his daughter.

“May I make a suggestion?” John gently asked as he put an arm around his brother’s shoulders. Brian nodded. “Find out how booked this therapist is. Maybe he can be bribed to take on a private patient. Make him an offer he can’t refuse.”

Brian arched a brow.

“An all expense paid trip to Edna’s Treasures. We have room to put him up and maybe by the time Justin’s completed his therapy, it’ll be time for yours. From what Bobby told me, this guy works very closely with the orthopedists. He’ll get you both up and running in no time.”

Brian’s pout was turning into a smile.

“Go on, make some calls, work your magic then stop walking around like a bear with a wounded paw. You’re beginning to scare my men.” A bunch of burly construction workers walked by with heavy planks hoisted up on a shoulder. “They’re very sensitive men, you know.” Said men gave Brian a pleading nod making Brian giggle, completely losing it.

“Okay, I get it; I’ve been a bitch to live with. I’m sorry,” he said to his brother. “I’m sorry!” he shouted in the general direction of the workmen.

“Yay!” Brian received in return from the men, many holding up coffee cups or various tools in salute.

“Bri, we didn’t know each other when you had cancer but from what I was told, you fought hard against it and unless your head was stuck in a toilet somewhere, you kept right on working. I’m not telling you to push yourself and risk re-injury, I’m just saying that the Brian I know would not let something like a sprained ankle stop him from doing anything he really wanted to do.” John bussed Brian’s head before getting back to work.

Brian smiled at his brother, looked over the greenhouse progress with pride then hobbled back to the cottage. He had calls to make.



*****



“So you’re coming this weekend?” Ben asked hopefully. He’d been trying to convince Michael to drive up and stay with him at Emmett’s, but for some reason Michael kept putting him off with one excuse after another.

“I said I would,” Michael protested.

“Just checking. And JR?”

“She’s staying at Lindsay’s. She moved back a couple of days ago,” Michael mumbled.

“M-moved back?” Ben asked with pain.

“Not for real or forever but...”

“What?” Ben asked gently.

“JR said that I was being an ass and that I needed a vacation with you and to get our mojo back,” Michael huffed. Ben could see him standing there with his arms crossed against his chest and his chin jutting out in defiance.

“We have mojo?” Ben asked, trying not to laugh.

“Apparently. But according to JR we lost it and now we’ve been ordered to find it or she’s going to kick both our butts.”

“Then for self preservation’s sake you should get here as quick as you can. JR can be a very scary young lady when she wants to be.”

“Tell me about it. I’m just about packed and I’m going to talk to Danny to make some arrangements for the store. I should be there in a few hours. Do you want me to bring anything?”

“Some of my tofu burgers?” Ben ventured. He heard Michael sigh.

“If I have to. See you soon.”

“Michael.”

“Yeah?”

“I love you,” Ben said hoping that he sounded sincere and that Michael wouldn’t be put off.

“I love you too,” Michael said genuinely before he broke the connection.



*****



“Dada!” Bree shouted as she ran into the cottage. Bobby had just brought Bree and Patrick home from school.

“Up here, Squirt,” Brian called back from his attic office. It wasn’t easy but Brian managed to get himself up the spiral staircase. It took him a while to do it but he was very proud of himself that he made it up there. Bree carefully climbed up.

“Dada,” Bree began as she climbed up to her Dada’s lap and made herself comfortable.

“Yes, General Squirt,” Brian replied knowing he was about to promise her something.

“School’s done on Friday.”

“Is it?” Brian asked knowing full well that as of the coming Friday, summer would officially begin on the lane.

“Yup.”

“Does that mean you want to go away to camp again this year?” The thought of Bree and Justin leaving him was a little too much to bear.

“No Dada, but can I go to day camp, and can Ashley stay here sometimes? Her mommy is teaching summer school and camp’s not for the whole summer and we can help you gar-gar in the new house and, and...”

“Breathe, Squirt! Yes, Ashley is more than welcome to spend as much time here as her mother permits. I did reserve a spot for you at day camp but that won’t start until the middle of July so you’ll have plenty of time to help me in the greenhouse. And Ashley’s help will be appreciated.”

Unbeknownst to Bree, Susanna, Ashley’s mother had contacted Brian and Justin to coordinate day camp, and she asked if they didn’t mind if Ashley spent some days with them because of her summer schedule. Now that Susanna had a real job, things were falling into place for her. She had taken on tutoring jobs as well to pay off the debts she incurred during her divorce. The boys were very willing to help. Bree loved her friend; the lane could be very lonely for the only little girl living on it.

“Oh thank you, Dada!” Bree shrieked as she threw her little arms around her father’s neck.

“You’re welcome, Squirt,” Brian said as he hugged her close to him, burying his nose in her baby fine strawberry blond hair.

“I love you, Dada.”

“Love you too, Squirt,” Brian said as he hung on with all his might.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 5






“Gus!” Bree shrieked as the front door of the cottage opened.

“Hi, short stuff,” Gus laughed as he entered the house and scooped up his over enthusiastic sister. He did, however, love the way she was always so happy to see him.

“Will you play tea party with me?” she asked.

Gus tried not to make a face. “I need to take a shower.”

“After your shower,” Bree persisted.

“Couldn’t you get Patrick to have tea with you?”

“He won’t do it.”

“Maybe if you ask really nicely,” Gus suggested.

Bree shook her head. “He’s says it’s baby stuff.”

“What if I have my shower and then we could take our snacks out to the Wendy house and see if Patrick will join us?”

“Okay,” Bree said with a big smile. She kissed Gus’ cheek before he set her down.



*****



When Gus came out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his hips, he was surprised to see his father sitting on the side of his bed.

“What’s up, Pop?” Gus asked.

“I see Bree coerced you into having tea in the Wendy house,” Brian said tongue in cheek.

“Yeah, so…?”

“She’s getting to be quite the little manipulator.”

“Getting to be…?” Gus asked with a chuckle, as he dried his hair with a smaller towel.

“You were never like that,” Brian observed.

“You didn’t see a lot of me when I was that age,” Gus reminded his father. “Every child is a manipulator.”

“How do you know that?”

Gus laughed. “It’s the nature of the beast.”

“Is that from one of your psychology classes in university?”

“Maybe.”

“I worry that she…”

“Isn’t growing up to be the perfect little girl that everybody expects?”

Brian looked up at his son. “Something like that.”

“Pop, you and Justin have done a great job with her. Nobody’s perfect, not even Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor.”

“Is that right?”

“It is.”

“What about Gus Kinney?”

“What about him?” Gus asked with a frown. He wasn’t sure what his father was getting at.

“I think he’s just about perfect,” Brian said standing up on his good leg and pulling Gus into a hug.

“Geez, Pop, that’s about the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me,” Gus said when his father let him go.

“I don’t think I tell you that often enough. You’re a good kid, Gus. And you’re a great brother to Bree. Just don’t…”

“Don’t what?”

“Don’t let her take advantage of you,” Brian warned.

“Pop, I know it may seem silly, but I actually like spending time with Bree. She’s an interesting little girl.” Brian raised an eyebrow. “I mean it.”

“I…I like spending time with her too,” Brian admitted, “but I thought it was just because I … love her so much.”

Gus grinned. “I love her a ton too, and she really is good company.”

“Then I guess she’s not taking advantage.”

“I wouldn’t call it taking advantage. I enjoy her, if not the tea parties.”

Brian chuckled. “Good lad,” he said squeezing Gus’ shoulder before he grabbed his crutches and hiked himself out of the room. Gus shook his head and smiled.



*****



“More tea,” Bree asked sounding a lot like Hudson. She and Gus were ensconced in the Wendy house along with Beau.

“That would be smashing,” Gus replied with his fake British accent.

Bree giggled as she poured some pretend tea from her little china pot. Gus reached down and filled his cup with soda.

“Would you care for another sandwich?” Bree asked.

“Lovely,” Gus said taking one of the little ham sandwiches off the plate that John had prepared for them. “We must be careful that we don’t spoil our dinner,” he admonished.

“Yes, you’re so right,” Bree agreed. “I think this sandwich will be plenty for me.”

“Me too,” Gus added.

“You guys sound silly,” Patrick said from the doorway of the Wendy house. He had been standing outside listening to them for a few minutes. It was lonely having his snack all by himself in the house.

“We’re having fun,” Gus told him in no uncertain terms. “You should join us. It’s good practice for proper etiquette when you get older.”

“What good’s etiquette?” Patrick asked, but he came through the doorway and pulled up the last chair to the table. Beau gave a little woof of welcome as the boy came in.

“They actually have classes in etiquette at university,” Gus explained.

“They do?” Patrick asked in surprise. “How come?”

“Yeah, it helps when you go for job interviews if you know how to behave.”

“But you wouldn’t have fake English accents like Hudson’s, would you?” the boy asked.

Gus laughed. “No, and Hudson’s accent isn’t fake. It’s the real thing.” Patrick made a face at the older boy. “Bree and I were just having fun, pretending to be British. Being polite and proper is good in the job market though, and for when you have dinner with people you work with or somebody who might become a client in your business.”

“Oh,” Patrick said thoughtfully taking in Gus’ words. He knew his fathers occasionally had to be away for dinner meetings. That must be what Gus was talking about.

“Would you care for some tea, my Patrick?” Bree asked.

“Yes, I believe I would,” Patrick said with a big grin, using his own fake British accent. Bree handed him a cup and she started to pour the imaginary liquid.

Gus winked at Bree again, and she couldn’t stop the little giggle of pleasure that escaped her lips. Having tea with two of her favorite people was just great.



*****



“Michael!” Ben called as Michael’s car pulled into the driveway of Emmett’s cottage.

As Michael stepped out, Ben threw his arms around him and kissed him heartily.

“What’s that for?” Michael asked.

“I missed you. Didn’t you miss me?”

“Well, yeah!” Michael said like Ben was crazy or something. “But I’m not the one who went away.”

“Michael,” Ben said evenly, “let’s not fight.”

“I’m not fighting,” Michael declared, but his tone of voice indicated that a fight could just as easily happen as not.

“Are you hungry? I can rustle us up something to eat,” Ben volunteered.

“I thought you’d be up at Edna’s Treasures eating with Brian and John.”

Ben frowned. “I was invited up there for dinner, but I haven’t gone. I’ve been staying in the cottage … thinking.”

“All that thinking will fry your brain.”

“Sometimes I can’t help it,” Ben said slowly. “Michael, we need to talk.”

“I wonder if they have enough food up there so we could go to dinner. That way we won’t have to cook or clean up.”

“Michael…”

“I’m going to call Brian. I bet they have lots of food. They always do at the barbecues.”

“Michael,” Ben tried to say once again, but his husband already had his cell phone out and had punched the speed dial for Brian.

Ben walked back into Emmett’s cottage knowing that they would probably be going up to the other house for dinner. So much for a quiet night alone with his husband.



*****



“John, can you help move the table out for dinner?” Brian asked as he set down his phone. “That was Michael. He’s out here to spend some time with Ben, but they want to come up here for dinner.”

“That doesn’t sound like quality time together,” John commented as he pulled the big table out from the wall.

“That’s Mikey for you. Ben thinks he’s worried about something, but he’s avoiding facing it.”

“You’re not going to get involved, are you?” John asked.

“I’m trying not to, but here they come.”

John shook his head. He had learned over the years that Brian had trouble refusing Michael anything. He didn’t want to see his brother get caught in the middle of a marriage squabble. He decided maybe he needed to run interference at dinner if Michael made that necessary.

“I better go make sure that we can stretch dinner a bit farther,” John said. “Can you manage setting the table?”

“Sure,” Brian said. “I have a son and daughter expressly for that purpose.”

John laughed as he headed for his side of the cottage. He heard Brian at the sun porch door calling for Bree and Gus. They were lucky to have such good kids.



*****



“Wow, this looks good!” Michael exclaimed as he looked over the table then took a seat. There appeared to be plenty of food on it, some that even Ben would eat. “See, I told you they’d have enough,” Michael whispered none too softly to Ben. Ben blushed with embarrassment as he nodded. The men of Edna’s Treasures politely pretended not to notice.

“Thank you for allowing us to join your dinner,” Ben said a bit formally as he raised his glass of lemonade in sort of a salute.

“No problem,” John responded quickly before Brian had a chance. “We usually cook more than we can eat; the leftovers go quick around here,” John said indicating the children.

“Our sweet little Sunshine can still pack it away,” Brian snarked, eliciting a glare from said Sunshine who was becoming more infuriated since he was having difficulty cutting his chicken. Justin got more angry when Brian happily took over Justin’s plate to cut up his cutlet into bite sized little pieces.

“So Mikey, what brings you all the way up here?” Brian asked after a while. Dinner seemed to be proceeding well with Brian keeping most of his snarky comments to himself.

“I came to vacation with my husband. I’m allowed a vacation, aren’t I?” Michael said defensively. “We are legally married, ya know!” Michael stressed the word legally. Of course no one mentioned that his marriage was technically only legal in Canada.

“So, um, how’s the store?” Bobby asked hoping that talking about the comic book store was a safe enough subject. It was, safe. Michael went into detail for the next half hour.

After dinner was finished and while the coffee was brewing, Ben expressed an interest in the construction. Since Brian was still a little clumsy in the kitchen, he offered to play tour guide while the others cleared the table for dessert.

“The greenhouse looks like it’s finished,” Ben stated. There was still enough light for them to see without the need of flashlights.

“A few more days; John’s waiting for the inspector to come to give his seal of approval. Then John’s men will seal up the walls. Emmett says when he gets here for the Fourth of July, he’ll decorate the bathroom.”

“Bathroom? In a greenhouse?” Ben asked, his eyes open wide with wonder.

Brian chuckled. “Come on,” he said as he opened the front door.

“Antechamber,” Ben stated as they went through the second set of doors which were swinging doors that easily opened if one was carrying or pushing through a heavy load.

“My brother thinks of everything. The side door is the main door though; it’s wider.”

“This is more than just a bathroom,” Ben exclaimed as he stared at the room that was just off the front door. “A shower too?” Ben asked with amazement.

“So I don’t track mud into the house,” Brian snarked. “As if!”

“Having an additional bathroom will come in handy, especially during all your barbecues and parties.”

“That’s what John said. I have to admit the thought of showering off the dirt and sweat before I clog up the cottage shower does hold appeal,” Brian admitted.

Their footsteps echoed through the empty glass building as they made their way down to the pond. Ben whistled as he took in the whole expanse including the overhead lighting and sprinkler system.

“Holy moly!” Ben shouted as he spied the pond which was still empty but he could see the potential. He bent down to peer through the small outlet that connected the inside pond to the outdoors.

“Yes, the fish will have an indoor-outdoor pool of their own while we mere mortals have to use the stream.”

Ben laughed heartily. “This is wonderful, Brian, really. I can just see how happy you’ll be planting away all through the winter.”

“Speaking about happy,” Brian began as he led his big friend through the side doors and back on the path toward the conjoined cottages. “What the fuck is going on between you and Mikey?”

“I’m honestly not sure, Brian. But I promise you that’ll I find out. I’m sorry we imposed on you tonight.”

“No imposition, but professor...”

“I know, Brian, I know. One way or another, I’ll make this right,” Ben promised. Brian nodded.

“We better get in there before your husband sends out a search party,” Brian said as they approached the sun porch. “Ben, whatever it is, fix it before it gets worse. Talk to him,” Brian pleaded as he touched Ben’s hard muscular shoulder. Ben turned to look into Brian’s deep penetrating eyes. In the dim light, Brian’s eyes became a deep green like an angry ocean. Ben found himself drowning in those eyes.

Brian inhaled Ben’s strong masculine scent then pushed him through the door.

“We thought you got lost; we were beginning to worry,” John said as he gave Brian a poignant look.

“Did you get lost, Dada?” Bree asked innocently as Brian sat on a chaise. Bree positioned a throw pillow under her father’s foot as he made himself comfortable. Justin brought Brian a cup of coffee.

“Thank you,” Brian murmured to Justin. “No, Squirt, I wasn’t lost. I was just showing Uncle Ben the new greenhouse.”

“What do you think?” Justin asked Ben.

“I think it’s wonderful; the pond is beautiful. And you’re making great progress on the new cottage. When do expect it to be completed?”

“I think sometime mid-August,” John answered. “It’s a relatively simple design, no basement, it’ll go up quick.”

“I’m impressed,” Ben said with a smile. “It’ll be nice to have a quiet place to come to and not worry about intruding on friends.”

“But we’re not intruding,” Michael put in. “We’re family!” he declared.

After a couple more hours of small talk, Michael finally took Ben’s hint and they left to walk back to Emmett’s cottage. Within moments of their departure, the kids were in bed as were the adults who all were tired and had to wake up early the next morning. The lane was suddenly dark.

“I told you we had overstayed our welcome,” Ben tried to say gently but it didn’t quite come out that way.

“What do you mean?” Michael asked as he tripped over some gravel that was in the road. “You think they could put in a sidewalk,” he grumbled.

“This is a true country lane, no sidewalk required,” Ben pointed out.

“Yeah, well...and since when does Brian go to bed before ten o’clock?”

“Michael, it’s been a long time since we stayed up after ten. Most times we’re in bed by nine and you know it. We’re both up early and so are they.”

“Well, why does Brian have to get up early? It’s not like he goes to work, and Justin’s only an artist. He probably doesn’t get out of bed until noon.”

“Michael, you know they’re up early. Every time we’re here for a party, they’re always up early the next day to make breakfast,” Ben said trying to be patient.

“But that’s after a party, not in real life.”

“What does that mean?”

“I bet Brian doesn’t get up in the morning like we do. We go to work every day. I mean, I guess John is up early cause he has to go build stuff, and lawyers are always going to meetings. Mel didn’t want to slow down even when she was pregnant.”

“I remember. But you’d be surprised how early Brian gets up. I’ve seen...”

“What?” Michael asked loudly, frightening the crickets into silence. “How do you know what time Brian gets up in the morning?”

“Michael, I’m right down the road. And I’m used to getting up and out early in the morning. Just because I’m on vacation doesn’t mean I can turn off my own internal clock. I got bored after a few days of being alone in the morning, so I’d watch some of the work being done on the cottage and explore the woods. Brian’s always out on the lane greeting the men and making sure the man who comes in with the food cart is paid. I ran out of coffee one day and went to the cart. The man refused to take my money. When I asked why, he told me that he was being paid very well by the man who looks like John’s twin.”

They stopped on the lane just before the gate to Emmett’s dream cottage.

“It is truly beautiful out here,” Ben said softly as he looked around. The lights on each side of the gate gave off a warm glow, lighting the path but not obscuring the starlight.

“I guess so but it’s very quiet,” Michael said with some tension in his voice.

“Michael,” Ben said in barely a whisper. Michael looked up into Ben’s eyes. “I missed you,” he said as he leaned in closer to his husband.

“I missed you, too. I love you,” Michael murmured as he leaned into Ben, meeting Ben’s lips.

“Please, Michael,” Ben pleaded. Michael nodded. Ben gently guided his husband into the cottage and to bed.



*****



“Do you think they’ll be all right?” Justin asked as he and Brian lay in the dark in their big bed. Brian reached out to search for Justin’s fingers.

“I hope so,” Brian replied as he laced his fingers with Justin’s. Brian felt Justin move closer. Justin’s lips kissed his shoulder.

“I want you,” Justin said as he carefully molded his body into Brian’s side. Brian could feel Justin’s hardness on his hip. Brian smiled in the dark as he rolled over onto his belly.

Justin needed no further confirmation than that, as he prepared to make love to his husband.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 6






Ben opened his eyes and looked over at his husband. Last night had been a good reunion. The sex was good, but the closeness was better. Ben had truly missed Michael while they were apart. Studying Michael’s sleeping face, Ben had to wonder what was up with the man he loved. There had been … closeness last night, but also hesitation, maybe even reluctance, when they had finally made love. No matter how gentle Ben had been he could still feel Michael holding back, not letting them truly unite. He had to get to the bottom of what was going on.

Ben was tempted to shake Michael awake and hogtie him to the bed until he spilled his guts about what was going on. With a sigh, Ben knew he wouldn’t do that. That wasn’t his style. He threw back the sheet that covered him and got out of bed. Maybe a morning walk would clear his head and help him devise a plan of attack. He knew they couldn’t keep on the way things were.

Ben walked up the lane stopping at the food cart for a cup of coffee. The man wouldn’t let him pay once again. Just as Ben turned to leave he saw Brian coming down from Edna’s Treasures on his crutches.

“Morning, professor,” Brian said. He nodded to the man who ran the food truck and got a smile back. Their deal was apparently still on.

“Care to join me for a coffee?” Ben asked.

Brian nodded. “We’ll have to drink it here unless you want to carry it for me,” he said regretfully. He hated the fucking crutches.

“I think I can handle a coffee for you,” Ben replied using his imitation of the Kinney smirk. Brian glowered at him.

The food cart man made Brian’s coffee just the way he knew his best customer ever liked it. Ben took the coffee once it was ready.

“I’d suggest going to the big rock,” Ben said as they headed towards Edna’s Treasures, “but…”

“The coffee will be cold by the time I get there,” Brian finished the statement. He hated how the crutches slowed him down.

“Let’s sit under the big tree in your backyard,” Ben suggested.

Brian nodded as they made their way around the house. Ben pulled a couple of lawn chairs into the shade of the big tree and they sat down.

“So what’s up?” Brian asked after a sip of his coffee. “Did you and Michael talk?” Ben shook his head. “Fuck! Did you fight?”

“No, we made love … sort of,” Ben replied slowly.

“Sort of?”

“He’s holding back. He’s hiding something that he doesn’t want me to find out.”

“And you still have no idea what that might be?”

“I’m going to get it out of him today one way or another,” Ben stated firmly.

“Tie him to the bed till he talks.”

Ben laughed heartily. “I contemplated that this morning before I got up. He’s still sleeping, so I could…”

“Do whatever you need to,” Brian told him firmly. “Michael’s a drama queen of the nth degree, but make him tell you.”

“My sentiments exactly,” Ben added.

They sat in silence sipping their coffee.

“We’re going to have a new face around here starting today,” Brian said after a while.

“Oh, who’s that?”

“His name is Gerald McQueen.”

Ben raised an eyebrow and looked at Brian. “Is that for real?”

“Another drama McQueen to add to the mix,” Brian said with a chuckle. “Mr. McQueen’s a physiotherapist. I have no idea if he’s gay or straight. I’ve arranged for him to start working with Justin today. If we like him he can take two weeks from his regular practice and stay out here fulltime. He thinks that might be enough to really make a difference with Justin’s shoulder.”

“Can he do anything with your ankle while he’s here?” Ben asked.

“Thanks for thinking of me, professor, nobody else seems to.”

Ben studied Brian’s face. It wasn’t self pity that he saw there, just a statement of fact that everyone seemed far more concerned about Justin’s injury that they did about Brian’s. Ben knew what it was like to be the strong one, the big one, the invincible one. When you needed comfort, no one ever thought you did. “How much longer?” he asked looking at Brian’s ankle.

“The doctor said maybe I could start putting some weight on it the beginning of the week.”

“Maybe this guy can help you with that.”

“I’m hoping,” Brian said tersely.

They continued drinking their coffee.



*****



As Brian and Ben were finishing their coffee, Michael came storming around the side of Edna’s Treasures. “I knew I’d find you here,” Michael said, a sharp edge to his voice.

“I thought I’d let you sleep,” Ben replied innocently.

“I came out here to be with you, and you’re up here with…him!”

“I think that’s my cue to gracefully disappear,” Brian said standing up and getting his crutches under his arms. “Thanks for the coffee, professor.”

“No problem,” Ben said with a smile, before Brian headed for the sun porch with Michael glaring at him the whole way. “Come and sit down, Michael,” Ben said gently.

“I don’t want to sit down. I want breakfast,” Michael said petulantly.

“Then let’s get you some.” Ben stood up to accompany his husband back to Emmett’s cottage.

“Ben…”

“Yes?”

“I…I don’t want to fight,” Michael said weakly.

“Neither do I, so tell me what’s wrong.”

“I…”

“Michael, our relationship has always been based on honesty, right from that first night when I told you I was HIV positive. You can trust me.”

Michael shook his head. “It’s ironic that you should mention HIV,” Michael said with a funny look on his face.

Ben stopped in his tracks. He had been starting towards Michael. “Michael?” he asked with worry etched on his face.

“I think I’m positive, Ben,” Michael whispered.

“Are you sure?” Ben asked as he pulled Michael against his body. “Have you been tested?”

Michael shook his head again. “I should have been tested a few weeks ago. It’s three months since the last test, but … I’ve been putting it off.”

“But you shouldn’t do that. If…If you are, you should get treatment right away.”

“I don’t think I can face it,” Michael whimpered. “I’ve seen all you’ve gone through.”

“Things have changed a lot since we first met, Michael. The drugs are better, more reliable, less side effects.”

“I know,” Michael whispered. “But after all this time, I don’t see why…”

“Why you would be positive?”

“Yeah.”

“We don’t even know for sure that you are,” Ben reminded him. “You need to get tested.”

“Remember that time when you were doing steroids and I had that needle you’d used?” Michael asked.

“Yeah.”

“I was so fucking stupid.”

“You were so brave. You made me see the truth about what I was doing.”

“Did I?”

“Yes, Michael, I love you … however you are. Just … don’t shut me out.”

“I didn’t mean to,” Michael whispered as he clung to Ben. “I’ve just been so scared.”

“Let’s go back to Emmett’s cottage and finish talking about this. I’ll make you a great breakfast,” Ben suggested with a small smile.

“Okay,” Michael agreed. They started walking towards the side of Edna’s Treasures.

“What makes you think you’re positive?” Ben asked gently.

“I haven’t been feeling well.”

“Then we definitely need to get you to a doctor for some tests.”

“Okay,” Michael agreed.

Justin came up behind Brian who was standing in the shadows of the sun porch watching Michael and Ben. “Do you think they are finally being honest with each other?”

“I fucking hope so,” Brian retorted.

“I wonder what’s wrong?” Justin asked as Ben and Michael disappeared from view.

Brian knew what his worst fear was, but he didn’t want to burden Justin with that until they knew for sure. “I’m sure we’ll find out eventually,” Brian said softly. “And we’ll deal with whatever it is. They’ll deal with it too.”

“I love you,” Justin said putting his good arm around Brian’s waist.

“You ready for therapy?”

“I guess so,” Justin said with a sigh. “But I know it’s going to hurt.”

“No pain, no gain, so they say,” Brian told him.

Justin shook his head. He was not a big fan of pain. “The next few days are going to be … tense.”

“Ya think?”

“Bree will be done with school, we’ll have the therapist here, and Michael and Ben will be making up.”

“Scary,” Brian joked.

“Very,” Justin agreed with a smile.



*****



“Gerry?” Bobby said as he entered through the front door of the cottage.

“Bobby! How the heck are you?” the big man asked as he stood up to greet his old friend.

“I thought I recognized that voice. I’m good, real good and I hear you’re the man of P.T.!”

“Hey, when you’re good, flaunt it,” Gerry stated with pride.

“A man after my own heart,” Brian said with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek as he hobbled into the living room. Gerry had been meeting with Justin; Brian decided to stay out of sight to give them more privacy.

“Whoa, a man like this could just sway me over to the dark side,” Gerry teased, playfully looking Brian up and down as he elbowed Bobby in the ribs.

“Really?” Brian said with an arch of his brow and a smirk on his lips.

“Down boy,” both Justin and Bobby said. For some reason Justin didn’t find the big man threatening. Gerald McQueen looked more like a linebacker than a therapist, whatever a therapist is supposed to look like. But he had a way about him that immediately put Justin at ease and his obvious strength only added to Justin’s confidence that this man would get him back to normal. Gerald wouldn’t let Justin fall or fail.

“Gerry, this is Brian Kinney, Justin’s partner,” Bobby made the formal introductions.

Gerry approached Brian so that Brian wouldn’t have to struggle with his crutches. “Ah, the man with the offer I couldn’t refuse,” Gerry said in his best ‘Godfather’ imitation as he shook Brian’s hand.

Just then Gus sailed through the door, hard hat on his head, camera equipment hanging around his neck.

“Hey, Pop, what’s for dinner, I’m starving!” Gus asked.

“Twins?” Gerry asked doing a double take between father and son but before anyone could explain, John came through the hallway into the living room.

“Hey, where is everyone?” John asked looking around.

“Bobby, my man, did you corner the market?” Gerry laughed. “You know the dark side isn’t looking so dark!”

Gus and John looked at each other then at the men in the room. Bobby broke out into a fit of laughter then made further introductions. It was getting close to dinnertime so the men convinced Gerry to stay so he could get a feel for the dynamics of his potential patients.
John and Gus excused themselves to get cleaned up while Bobby started to prepare dinner.



*****



“Between you and me,” Gerry said, “you guys were real lucky that your injuries weren’t worse.” Gerry commented as Brian and Justin catalogued the injuries they each sustained during their honeymoon. “I took the liberty of consulting with your doc, with your permission, and I took a look at the x-rays from Hawaii. Your arm wasn’t totally dislocated. If it was, the doc probably would have recommended surgery to repair it. That’s a good thing, it means you’ll recover quicker and have a decreased risk of popping your shoulder out again,” Gerry explained to Justin while Brian listened in. Bobby was taking out the salad fixings and several pork loins.

“Here, let me help,” Gerry asked as he jumped up to assist Bobby. “You were nice enough to invite me, it’s the least I can do.” Brian and Justin smiled at the big man that was soon becoming a friend.

“Well, who is this handsome couple?” Gerry asked as Bree and Patrick snuck in. It had been the last day of school and only a half day. Gus had the honor of picking the kids up from school since neither Brian nor Justin were cleared to drive, and John and Bobby were working. The kids had amused themselves in the yard and Wendy house for their first afternoon of freedom. Beau made it a point to supervise.

“My name is Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor!” Bree announced succinctly as she held out her hand.

“My name is Gerald McQueen and I’m very happy to meet you.” Gerry squatted down to shake Bree’s hand which garnered him an approving smile from Bree.

“Are you going to fix my daddies?” Bree asked in all innocence as Bobby snickered and Brian crossed his legs as he sat on a kitchen stool.

“I’m going to try. Would you introduce me to your friend?” Gerry asked as he turned toward Patrick. Patrick extended his hand.

“This is my Patrick. Patrick Rowan Morrison-Anderson,” Bree said formally.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Patrick,” Gerry said with a smile. He took a good look at the kids’ faces trying to connect the dots.

“Baby girl, can you and Patrick get washed up then start setting the big table. Mr. Gerry is staying for dinner,” Justin asked.

“Okay, Daddy,” Bree answered with a sunny smile. “Are Unca Ben and Unca Michael coming too?”

“Maybe, set a place for them just in case,” Justin said as Brian nodded. They had a feeling the boys would be back for dinner.

She and Patrick left the kitchen to perform their assigned chores.

“They’re beautiful,” Gerry said as he straightened up. “The boy, that hair. Bobby, is there something you’re not telling me?” Gerry teased.

“John is the biological father, my sister was our surrogate,” Bobby explained with a soft smile.

“She gave us the greatest gift,” John said as he strode in, catching the tail end of the conversation.

“And Briana?” Gerry looked at Brian and Justin.

“We found a wonderful woman who was our surrogate,” Brian stated. “Justin is the biological father.” Brian lifted one arm ever so slightly but just enough for Justin to sidle under it. Brian kissed Justin’s cheek.

“She may look like Justin but be warned, Bree has Brian’s personality,” John advised.

“Ah, forewarned is forearmed. I shall remember that,” Gerry said as he added some dressing to the salad then began to toss it in a large serving bowl. “I envy you. I never found Miss Right or Mister Right, for that matter.”

“Ha! I knew I heard a ping!” Brian crowed, proud of himself.

“Gerry?” Bobby stared at his friend who had the good grace to blush.

“I don’t know, Bobby, I really don’t know,” Gerry said softly.

“And we won’t push,” John stated as he gave each man a poignant look. “Gerry, Bobby says you’re one of the best therapists in the state. That you come highly recommended and have tended to many of our major teams. I hope you decide to take on these two as clients. It’s about time they get back to work. They’re turning into lazy bums.”

“Hey!” Brian and Justin protested. Gerry laughed.

“If they hire me, I promise I’ll get them back to work,” Gerry swore.

“I’ll hold you to that,” John and Bobby said as they both pointed a finger at the therapist.

“Ya know, Sunshine, I’m beginning to sense a conspiracy,” Brian said as he glared at John and Bobby.

“Ya think?” Justin asked.

As dinner was just about ready to be served, the front door opened and in walked Ben and Michael.

“Um, we forgot to shop,” Michael announced giving the family of Edna’s Treasures his best puppy dog eyes. Beau moaned and Brian rolled his eyes.

“Come on, Mikey, professor, we set a place for you,” Brian said. “But you guys are doing the dishes!”

Considering the number of drama queens that were sitting in the sun porch, dinner was surprisingly calm. Conversation went leisurely around the table with everyone describing their day. Gerry was especially interested in Gus and how he was enjoying Penn since it was also Gerry’s alma mater. He also enjoyed hearing about the latest Rage issue. Gerry admitted to following several comics since childhood and had also become a fan of Rage.

When it came time for dessert, Ben and Michael got up to help John and Bobby clear the table and bring in the sweet treats.

“What’s wrong with your friend?” Gerry leaned in to ask Brian.

“Who, Ben?” Brian automatically assumed.

“No, his partner.” Gerry had been watching Michael. There was something about the twinges that splayed across Michael’s face when he was doing something as simple as lifting a fork or cutting up his dinner that tweaked Gerry’s suspicions.

“Michael?”

“Yes. Is he okay?” Gerry whispered. Before Brian could answer, the boys came back into the room.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 7





“Mr. Gerry, are you coming back to fix my daddies?” Large violet blue eyes looked up at the big man.

Dinner had ended and Gerry was getting ready to drive back to Pittsburgh, the family was walking him to the front door. As he took his car keys out of his pocket, the boys invited him to stay the night.

“I appreciate the invite but I have an early client in the morning,” he said to Brian and Justin. He then knelt in front of Bree to look her in the eyes. “Miss Briana, I promise, when I get the a-okay from your daddies’ doctor, I will be back here to get them all better. But I’m going to need some help. Do you know where I can get an assistant? Therapy is a very hard job. Lots of times I work with an assistant,” Gerry said sincerely.

“I can help, Mr. Gerry. I like to help my daddies,” Bree said emphatically her little pigtails bobbing up and down as she nodded.

“Well, all right!” Gerry said with a big smile. He reached down into one of his pockets to draw out a swishy exercise ball. “Now, Miss Briana, as my assistant, your first assignment is to get your daddy to practice using this special ball at least five times a day, 10 reps each time. Do you know what that means?”

Bree’s eyes opened wider as she shook her head, no. Gerry demonstrated and then had her practice the technique.

“Very good. Now you show your daddy,” Gerry instructed.

A very determined Bree turned to hand the ball to her daddy. “You do it like this, Daddy,” Bree instructed. Justin remembered the exercises from when he was trying to get his right hand to work after he was bashed. A shiver ran up his spine but he quickly shook the sensation off as he took the ball then did what Bree instructed. “Very good, Daddy! Mr. Gerry, my daddy did it!”

“Yes, he did and you’re a very good assistant. Now your daddy should exercise five times a day with the ball and squeeze it ten times each time.”

“I can keep count.”

“I’m sure you can. Maybe even write it down in a book. Perhaps Patrick will help keep the diary.” Patrick stepped closer and nodded. “Keeping a record of the progress is very important.” Patrick nodded again and said he would keep the records. “Very good,” Gerry said as he stood up. “We’re all set. When’s your next appointment with the doctor?” Gerry addressed Brian and Justin.

“We both go back this Tuesday,” Brian told him.

“Then I’ll be in touch with you on Wednesday. If we get the all clear, I’ll make arrangements to come back here that weekend. We can formally begin your therapy next Monday.” Gerry got two sets of very anxious eyes pleading at him. “Or, we can start on Saturday.” That statement garnered Gerry a room full of smiles. He laughed then said good night to the family of Edna’s Treasures.

Brian walked him to his car.

“Gerry, we’ll call you the minute we get back from the doctor, but...” Brian wasn’t sure how to phrase his concerns.

“Brian, Justin will be okay.”

“I know he will; he’s one stubborn Sunshine,” Brian said without explaining the nickname. “That’s not why I walked out with you. You said something earlier about Michael.”

“Your friend.”

“He’s more than a friend. We’re...he’s almost a brother. Gerry, if you know something...”

“I don’t know anything, it’s just a feeling. But if he were my almost brother, I’d insist that he have an intensive physical.” Brian nodded as Gerry got into his car and drove down the lane.



*****



“Night, short stuff,” Gus said as he closed Bree’s bedroom door. She had wanted her brother to read her a story and tuck her in. Gus had been happy to oblige.

“She down for the night?” Brian asked as Gus came into the sun porch. It was a little past Bree’s usual bedtime.

“I hope so,” Gus said as he sat down in the chaise next to his father. “She’s still wound up about how she’s going to help Justin with his exercises and then maybe you later on.”

Brian chuckled. “I think we have a nurse in the making.”

“She’ll never be happy with being a nurse. A doctor, maybe. But I see her as the CEO of a major company, wheeling and dealing.”

“Is that really what you see?” Brian asked intrigued by Gus’ words.

“What do you see her doing?” Gus asked his father.

“I don’t know,” Brian said with a frown. “I don’t want her to grow up at all.”

Gus smiled. “Even you can’t prevent that,” he informed his father.

“I can dream, can’t I?”

“Sure, Pop, live in your fantasy world if you like.”

Brian gave his son a mock glare then they both sat in silence watching as the stars began to appear in the darkening sky. Gus let out a sigh after a couple of minutes. Brian watched his son play with the cowry shell bracelet they had brought him from Hawaii. Gus twirled it around and around on his wrist, apparently lost in thought.

“What’s up, Sonny Boy?” Brian asked after a bit.

“I was thinking about Mama.”

“Oh.” Brian didn’t know what else to say. He refused to badmouth the woman. She was Gus’ mother.

“I wish I could go see her. I hate being on the outs. Shouldn’t families get along?”

“You’re asking me this?” Brian asked with raised brows.

“It took you and Grandma Joan a long time, but you get along so well now. I don’t want to wait twenty years before Mama and I can be civil.”

“Or wait forever,” Brian muttered to himself.

“What?”

“What would you like to do about the situation?” Brian asked throwing the ball back into Gus’ court. He knew if he suggested something, Melanie would find a way to turn it against him.

“I don’t know, Pop. I don’t see how I can get to Portland this summer.”

“You could call her,” Brian suggested in spite of his better judgment.

“She’ll want me to come there.”

“What if she came here?”

“Here?”

“Well, not here here, but to Pittsburgh.”

“Do you think she’d come?” Gus asked hopefully.

“There’s one way to find out.”

“Okay, I’ll call her,” Gus said standing up and pulling his cell phone from his pocket. His mother should be home from work even with the change in time zone. Gus walked out into the backyard. Beau went with him.

Brian watched from his chaise. He wondered if he should have suggested this call. He wanted Gus to be happy, but he had vowed to stay out of things, and here he was putting his fucking two cents worth in. He shook his head at his own folly.

Gus let the phone ring five times. He was about to hang up when a voice snapped on the line, “What?”

“Mama?”

“Gus, is that you. I’m kind of busy.”

“Sorry to bother you, but I … miss you.”

“Could you call back later?” Melanie asked. She let out a little mewling sound like someone was doing something to her.

“You okay, Mama?” Gus asked.

“Um, yeah, fine.”

“Hurry up,” a voice whispered from the background.

“Oh,” Gus said. “Oh! I’m sorry to disturb you.”

“You, you’re not disturbing me. Could I call you back in an hour?”

“I’m going to bed soon. I have to get up at the crack of dawn.”

“Half an hour,” Melanie begged.

“Sure,” Gus said dejectedly. He snapped his phone shut. He stood watching the sky for several minutes.

“That didn’t go so well, did it?” Brian asked as he crutched his way out to Gus.

Gus shook his head. “It seems like we never have time for each other anymore,” he said softly.

Brian wanted to tell his son that it was Melanie Marcus who needed to make some time for her son, but he bit his tongue. “What did she say?” he asked instead.

“She’s going to call back in half an hour … if she remembers.”

“She’ll call,” Brian said squeezing the back of Gus’ neck.

“It’s like we don’t matter to her anymore,” Gus whispered.

“Starting a new life isn’t easy,” Brian responded.

“What does that mean?”

“Cut her a bit of slack. See if she calls and try not to jump all over her.”

“Even if she deserves it?” Gus asked.

“Even if…” Brian said gently. “You coming in?”

“I think I’ll wait out here for her call,” Gus replied. “Thanks, Pop.”

“I’ll be in the bedroom if you need me.”

“Okay.” Gus watched his father hobble back to the sun porch on his crutches. He knew it hurt Brian’s pride that he couldn’t do everything he had been able to do before the sprained ankle. But surprisingly, Brian was taking it better than any of them had expected. He had his moments, but most of the time he did his best to contain his temper and get through the day. Gus supposed that was what he better do where his mother was concerned.



*****



Beau raised his head, as he heard the man sitting on the lawn chair wiggle around in his seat and let out a sigh. Beau had been lying beside the chair for a long time. He should be doing his rounds, but he didn’t want to leave the troubled human alone. He gave a little woof trying to distract the man.

“It’s okay, Beau,” Gus said. “I’m fine if you want to go do your cottage check. It doesn’t look like she’s going to call.” He looked at his watch. Almost forty-five minutes had passed since he had talked to his mother. So much for her calling back in half an hour.

Beau felt the man’s hand drop onto his head and scratch behind his ears. He leaned into the scratch. It felt good to Beau, and the dog instinctively knew that it felt good to humans too. He stayed where he was as Gus rubbed his head.

“Why can’t parents be more like you, Beau?” Gus asked. “You need so little and you’re always there when we need you. My mother is never there.”

“Woof,” Beau replied.

“I guess I might as well go to bed,” Gus sighed. “It doesn’t look like she’s going to call.”

Before Gus could stand up, his phone rang. “Hello,” he said immediately.

“Gus, it’s so good to hear from you,” Melanie’s voice replied.

She sounded happy, Gus thought. The sex must have been good. That’s why it took her so long to call. Suddenly Gus missed Ray with all his heart.

“Gus? Are you there?”

“Yeah, I’m here,” Gus said reluctantly.

“I’m sorry I was busy before, but I have time to talk now.”

“I have to go to bed soon,” Gus informed her. He hoped she could hear the edge in his voice. He was not happy with her.

“Why did you call? I didn’t think I’d hear from you all summer,” Melanie said with a note of sadness in her voice.

“You could have called me,” Gus reminded her.

“That didn’t go so well last time,” Melanie stated.

“I’m sorry about that, but I do have a job, and I was busy.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about this job?”

“It all happened quickly, and it was a great opportunity, and I just decided to jump at the chance.”

“And you’re glad you did?”

“Yes, I am,” Gus said confidently. “I’ve enjoyed what I’m doing, and I’m good at it. It will look really good on my resume too.”

“When…when did John get to be a professor?”

“He just finished his PhD a few months ago. He agreed to work with this apprenticeship program for students in architecture. He also has some kids from Hunter’s Center working here.”

“He’s quite the building mogul these days,” Melanie said sarcastically.

“Mom!”

“Sorry, I can’t help myself sometimes.”

“Don’t I know it,” Gus muttered.

Melanie ignored that remark. “So why did you call?”

“I don’t like fighting with you. I … I miss you.”

Melanie’s voice softened as she said, “I miss you too, Gus.”

“I wondered if you could come visit me, since I won’t have time to come out to Portland.”

“I thought you called to say you had changed your mind and were going to come here,” Melanie responded, her voice taking on that hard edge again.

“I told you I can’t come there. I have work and … responsibilities.”

“And so do I. And I’m the adult here.”

“Mama, I’m an adult too. I’m almost twenty now. I can’t just pack up and leave when you call.”

“And neither can I.”

Gus heaved a weary sigh. “I have to go to bed.”

“Gus, please don’t shut me out.”

“I’m not shutting you out. Pop suggested I ask you to come here since I couldn’t go there. I thought I’d try, but you’re too busy…”

“So are you,” Melanie accused.

“Mama, I don’t want to fight.”

“I’ll see what I can do about coming to Pittsburgh,” Melanie said suddenly.

“You will?”

The sound of hope in Gus’ voice was clear, and Melanie felt her heart wrench. “I will,” she said sincerely.

“That would be great, Mama.”

“No promises, but I’ll try.”

“I hope you can come.”

“Me too, Gus. Take care and I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Thanks.” Gus shut his phone and leaned back in the lawn chair. That had turned out better than he had expected. He thought they were going to fight all over again. “You better go do your rounds, Beau,” Gus said as he stood up. “I think I’m finally ready for bed.”

Gus headed for the house, while Beau trotted around the cottage and down the lane.



*****



“Ray?”

“Hey, Bright Eyes.”

“Bright Eyes?”

“Yeah. I was laying here thinking about you and your beautiful eyes. How they change with your moods and how dark they get when we...”

“Yeah, your eyes get so dark it’s like looking into liquid dark chocolate. Ray, I miss you.”

“I miss you too. My summer class is almost done; do you think your dads will let me visit.”

“Do you think your dads will?”

“I sorta asked them already and they said if it was okay with your dads it’s fine with them.”

“No working for your dad’s company this summer?”

“I work for him all the time, he can give someone else a chance. Do you think I could intern with your uncle? I had a blast last summer.”

“He always talks about the great job you did; I’m sure he’ll be cool with it. I’ll ask them in the morning. Ray, I really, really miss you,” Gus said, his voice getting a bit husky.

“I miss you so much. Where are you?”

“In bed; you?”

“Me too?” Ray replied just above a whisper.

The boys simultaneously reached down into their pants and did what most young men did when they were so turned on and so missing the one who turned them on. Afterwards they sighed into their phones. Neither one wanted to hang up, so Gus and Ray spent the next couple of hours talking and missing one another.



*****



“Mommy?” JR called out softly as she opened Lindsay’s door. JR was still staying with Lindsay and Candy while her dads remained up at Edna’s Treasures. Candy was prepared to give her room back to its rightful owner but JR insisted that Candy stay there. JR had no qualms about taking over Gus’ room since he used it so little and most of his stuff was either with him or at the loft.

“Sweetie, it’s late and you have to be at the store in the morning.”

JR had taken over the running of the comic book store since her father went away. She took to the business end of the store like a fish took to water. Just because she was still fifteen, wasn’t a good enough excuse not to be there. JR did well in school, was being responsible with her relationship with Curtis, and her great ideas for improving the store had all worked out. She even had a hand in the advertising contract with Kinnetik. JR loved the store almost as much as her father. She took her job there very seriously.

“I know but I wanna talk,” JR said looking like a little girl. She crawled into her mother’s bed.

“What is it, sweetheart? You and Curtis all right?”

“We’re fine. I like him a lot but I’m not ready for anything too serious,” JR confided to Lindsay’s satisfaction and relief. She liked Curtis as well, even with his dubious introduction into their family. Life with Raphael and Hector helped to turn the boy’s life around in a good way. He was an important member of their ‘cwazy wittle family.’

“So if it’s not boy trouble and you seem to have the store under control, then what is it?” Lindsay thought it might be Melanie. She held her breath until JR spoke.

“It’s my dad; I think something’s wrong.”

“Ben?” Lindsay assumed.

“No, my other dad.”

“But Michael’s always been healthy as a horse!”

“Something’s wrong, Mommy, and I don’t know what to do,” JR cried as she snuggled into her mother’s arms.

Lindsay was too shocked for words. She hadn’t noticed any difference with Michael at the Memorial Day barbecue other than he seemed to have a shorter temper than usual. As Lindsay held JR tight, Lindsay concentrated her thoughts on the barbecue. Michael did look a little tired and maybe he had lost weight but then gay men were always so vain. But Michael was never like that.

“Don’t worry, honey, we’ll figure it out,” Lindsay murmured to comfort her daughter.

“Okay,” JR mumbled and Lindsay realized JR was falling asleep. Lindsay made sure JR was under the sheet. She reached over to turn out the light.

“I’ll call Brian in the morning,” Lindsay whispered. “He’ll know what to do,” she said before sleep claimed her as well.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 8





“Daddy,” Bree said with a look of determination in her eyes as she handed her younger father the exercise ball. Brian knew that look all too well; tenacity and stubbornness were a Taylor trait.

The family of the conjoined cottages had barely finished breakfast when Bree, the new therapy assistant, ran into her room for the therapeutic ball Gerald McQueen, RPT had given her. Patrick pulled a pad out of his back pocket ready to record his uncle’s progress.

“Begin, Daddy,” Bree commanded. John and Bobby hid themselves in the kitchen trying not to snicker in front of Justin as they took care of the breakfast dishes.

Brian read his morning paper as Justin performed his exercises. His eyes flickered from the page to just above it, watching Justin’s expression as he squeezed and then eased up the pressure on the ball. With his daughter’s eyes watching so intensely, Justin was determined to do all the reps. Bree counted each one.

“Very good, Daddy!” Bree pronounced when Justin finished the set. Patrick diligently recorded the session then nodded with approval. Justin handed the ball back to Bree. “We’ll be back later, Daddy,” Bree said as she and Patrick scurried out of the kitchen and off to spend their first full day of summer vacation outside.

Justin looked defeated as he walked away. “Excuse me,” he said then went to the master bedroom. Brian put down the paper.

“Brian?” John said, somewhat confused. “He did well.”

“What just happened?” Bobby asked, equally confused.

John and Bobby came around the counter to sit at the table with Brian.

“Pop, what’s wrong with Justin? He just went back to bed,” Gus said as he came into the kitchen, hard hat and camera equipment in hand. He was waiting for John.

“He’s remembering,” was all that Brian said as he stood. Shoving his crutches under his arms, Brian went to his room.

“Remembering what?” Gus asked his uncles.

“I’m not sure,” Bobby said. John’s eyes opened wide with the realization.

“The attack?” John ventured.

“But that was almost twenty years ago,” Gus said. “I was a baby.”

“From what your father told me, Justin never fully regained his memory of that night and it took him a long time to regain the strength in his hand,” John explained.

“He still has some problems,” Gus said softly. “I watch him sometimes when he draws. His concentration and attention to detail is amazing. But then sometimes his fingers cramp up. He tries to hide it, make sure my dad didn’t see, but I think Pop knows.”

“I’m sure he does,” Bobby commented. “There isn’t much that Justin can hide from your father. Your dad loves Justin so much,” Bobby said as he gave John a wistful smile. Bobby was so in love with John as John was with Bobby.

“Don’t worry, Gus, your dad will make it all better. He always does,” John reassured his nephew.

Gus nodded. “Um, Uncle Bobby, my dad said it was okay for Ray to stay here this summer when he finishes his classes. Could you use an intern for the summer?” Gus asked hopefully, turning on the Kinney charm and flashing hazel colored puppy dog eyes.

Bobby laughed. Over the years he had seen that same look on several occasions but usually from his own spouse and occasionally from Brian.

“You tell that boyfriend of yours that I will personally send him a plane ticket. He was an excellent intern last year. It would be my pleasure to work with him this summer. But are you sure his fathers can spare him?”

“Yeah, they’re cool with it. And Simon is getting used to the idea of having a lawyer in the family,” Gus said with a grin.

“Well, then you tell me the dates and I’ll book the ticket,” Bobby stated. “You and John ready for today?”

“Yup, all set!” Gus announced.

“I just need my hard hat and I’ll meet you out there. The greenhouse got the approval from the inspector so we’re going to finish it up. Your dad can start moving in his plants whenever he likes,” John said with a touch of pride. His crew did a phenomenal job on the greenhouse. John was ready to join the crew that was working on the ‘B&B’.

“Cool!” In a flash, Gus was out the door.

“Was I ever that young?” John asked.

“Babe, you’re still young,” Bobby said as he wrapped his arms around his spouse.

“Tell that to my grey hairs,” John quipped as he looked down his nose and into the blue-grey eyes of his spouse. Bobby’s hair hadn’t lost any of its fiery redness. “Will you still need me, will you still feed me. When I’m sixty-four?” John broke into the old Beatles song. Bobby laughed and tightened his hug.

“Absolutely! And so much more,” Bobby said as he patted John’s still firm muscular ass. John blushed. The lovers kissed then broke apart.

“I gotta go to work but will you hold that thought until tonight?”

“Sure I will, and I’ll have many other thoughts to go with it,” Bobby purred then reluctantly let his spouse go to work.



*****



“Hey,” Brian said as he opened their bedroom door and quietly crept in. He leaned his crutches against the bedside table as he got into bed. Justin was lying on top of the duvet, staring at the ceiling.

“Hey.”

“It’s beautiful out, why don’t you take your stuff down to the stream and draw for a while. I bet the kids would love to help you,” Brian suggested hopefully but knowing all along that Justin probably wouldn’t do it.

They both lay silently looking up at the ceiling.

“Do you know what I remember most about that time?” Justin whispered. Brian just shook his head. “That day with you on Liberty Avenue. You stayed with me but you made me stand up for myself and walk by myself, but you never left me. I could see you through the crowd and I knew you loved me.”

Brian remained silent, the adman had no words.

“I made my mother cry.”

“Justin...”

“No, Bri, I made my mother cry. I scared her so badly that she cried and she had to give me away. To you. I was so angry and so frustrated, I busted up my room and scared the shit out of my own mother.”

“This is different,” Brian tried to point out. He watched as Justin raised his right hand, the one damaged in Chris Hobbs’ attack, alternately balling it into a fist then relaxing it.

“The pain feels the same and this time I remember everything. Brian, what if I scare Bree.”

“That won’t happen. You won’t let it come to that.”

“But I...”

“No, Justin, this is so different from when Hobbs hit you. You’re a strong loving father. You would never ever do anything to frighten Bree.”

“I’m not perfect.”

“Nobody is. But I know you, Justin. And I know that the only thing that is going to happen is that you’re going to have therapy and your hand will be fine.” Brian reached to take Justin’s right hand into his. He laced their fingers together as they laid there in silence.

Brian heard Justin sigh. But Brian knew Justin had to work it out for himself. This was something Brian could not fix.

“You ready to face the day and our daughter?”

“Yeah, I’m ready. What are your plans for today?”

“John says the greenhouse is ready for plants. I thought I’d give Todd a call. Maybe he’ll come over with a list of plants.”

“Don’t make him drive all the way over here, go to the center. This way you can pick out the pots and dirt and stuff,” Justin said with the corner of his mouth slightly upturned. The easy chatter between him and Brian was relaxing. Justin was beginning to feel normal again.

“You trying to get rid of me, Sunshine? Entice me with plants, dirt and stuff. Are you planning a clandestine rendezvous with your secret lover?” Brian gently squeezed Justin’s hand.

“No such luck. My lover is no secret but I think I will do some painting by the stream, that is, if my assistants will help me carry my stuff.”

“I’m sure they will. Maybe I can bribe Bobby into being my chauffeur for the morning.”

“It won’t take much to bribe him, he’s a Kinney fan.”

“Yes, but I’m not the right Kinney.”

Justin rolled onto his good side to plant a deep kiss on Brian.

“You’re the right Kinney for me. I love you, Brian. And thank you.”

“For what?” Brian asked as he kissed Justin’s full lips repeatedly.

“For being my Kinney.”

The lovers broke apart before things progressed too far. They both had things to do before playtime.



*****



“Thank you for playing chauffeur,” Brian said as he adjusted his legs in the front seat of Bobby’s car.

“Any time! I had no plans for today other than taking my man back to bed. And since he has other ideas such as working on that new house of yours, it’ll be fun playing ‘James’ for the day.”

Brian laughed but then became serious. “If it wasn’t my right foot, I’d be able to drive.”

“Maybe, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Besides, I think your family would object.” Brian didn’t need Bobby to elaborate. Justin and John would have had a hissy fit if Brian attempted to drive without medical clearance. “It’s a moot point, anyway. So, what are we going to buy at the garden center?”

“We are going to buy plants!” Brian announced with a smug look, making Bobby laugh.



*****



“Is this good, Daddy?” Bree asked as she set down Justin’s box of paints.

“That’s fine, sweetheart. Do you think you can pull out the legs and set it up?”

“I’ll help,” Patrick volunteered, dropping Justin’s easel on the grass by the stream.

“I can do it,” Bree declared.

“I know, but it’s easier if two of us do it,” Patrick said with a smile. “Then you can help me set up your dad’s easel.”

“’Kay,” Bree agreed as they started pulling out the legs on the box of paints.

Justin smiled on them fondly. He looked around wondering if he really wanted to paint the stream, or just continue with his paintings of flowers from Hawaii. He noticed that the box the children had set up was now on the edge of the shade from the big maple tree, almost in the sun. Brian would have a fit if he painted in the sun. And Justin certainly didn’t want another sunburn.

“Kids, can you carry that over here, deeper in the shade, so that I won’t be back in the sun in half an hour?” he requested.

“Sure,” Patrick said lifting his side of the box. Bree took the other and they carried the paint box into the shade.

“Do you want the canvases now?” Bree asked. Justin had chosen one partially finished canvas with Hawaiian orchids. The other canvas was ready to be painted on, but had not yet been started.

“Yes, please,” Justin replied and watched the children disappear down the path as they went to get the two canvases for him. “You can go with them,” he said to Beau who was looking quizzically at Justin, but also down the path. He seemed unsure who needed him most. Beau took off after the children.

Smiling at the happy little group who would soon return, Justin walked over to sit on the edge of the big rock which was partially in shade. It would be more in the shade as the day progressed. He stared at the stream as the water made little rivulets around the rocks close to the edge. The water level was quite low, there having been little rain this summer.

Justin lifted his left hand and studied it for a minute. He’d have to do his exercises with Bree at least once more during the day. He raised his right hand and studied the fingers as he flexed them. The hand was almost as good as new, but it would never be quite the same as before the bashing. Justin felt a wash of anger rise from the pit of his stomach.

“Fucking Chris Hobbs,” Justin muttered, feeling that the bashing had damaged him in so many ways. He was always finding new ones. He still worried about his reaction to Bree pushing him during the exercises, and he knew she would. He didn’t want this anger he felt to boil over. He would not take it out on his daughter.

“Daddy,” a little voice said. “Daddy!”

“Huh, oh, sorry, sweetheart, I was thinking,” Justin said when he realized that the children were standing in front of him holding his two canvases.

“Where do you want these, Uncle Justin?” Patrick asked.

“Um,” Justin said trying to focus.

“We could lean them against the rock until we set up your easel,” Patrick suggested.

“Yes, yes, that would be good,” Justin agreed quickly. Thank God he had smart children to help him.

Patrick and Bree soon had his easel set up and ready for him to use.

“Which canvas do you want on it?” Patrick asked.

“Um,” Justin said once again. He looked at the partially finished orchid. “The blank one,” he decided quickly.

“Can we go swimming, Daddy?” Bree asked.

“Um…”

“Please, Daddy,” Bree begged batting her violet blue eyes at him. “It’s hot.”

“Okay,” Justin said, having misgivings about what he could do to help the children if anything went wrong. “But you both have to promise me to stay close to the edge of the stream.” Both children nodded in agreement. “And bring the life preserver that’s in the shed when you come back,” he added.

The children looked at him like he was crazy. They both knew how to swim, and he would be there to watch them. Bree was about to say something, but Patrick grabbed her hand and squeezed.

“Okay, Uncle Jus,” he said before Bree could protest. “We’ll get it after we change into out suits.”

“Good,” Justin said. “And make sure you both put on lots of sunscreen.” The children nodded before taking off back down the path closely followed by Beau. Justin hoped nothing untoward would happen while the children were in the water.

“What’s wrong with my Daddy?” Bree asked when they arrived at the sun porch door.

“I don’t know. He seems … weird,” Patrick said.

“Maybe we should call Dada.”

“I think your daddy will be fine, and you want to swim, don’t you?”

Bree looked longingly back to the path. It would feel great to get in the cool water. “Yeah,” she agreed, but she felt funny not doing anything about her father. Maybe he would be better after they got into their swimsuits. The children went inside.

Justin stared at the stream and then at the empty canvas in front of him. He squeezed some cerulean blue out onto the palette that was in the lid of his paint box. He thought maybe he’d paint the stream. He looked at the deep blue color on his palette before dipping his brush into it. He lifted the paint laden brush and studied the blob of color on the end of it. With a vicious swipe he raked the brush across the pristine canvas leaving a wide and jagged blue streak.

A smile raised the corners of his mouth. That felt good. Maybe this was what he needed. Squeezing out some red paint, Justin dabbed his brush in it. He made a wider swath of red, some of it mixing with the blue already on his brush and on the canvas. A vibrant purple leapt from these intersections.

As quickly as he could, Justin squeezed out yellow, the only other primary color he was missing. He made a section of yellow, a deformed sun in one corner of the canvas. Using the yellow to blend with the other two colors already on the canvas, Justin covered the rest of the white surface. He took a step back eyeing what he had done critically. He liked the bold colors and the pent up emotion he saw in front of him. It needed more red, he decided. Red was the color of anger and he wanted that to scream from the canvas.

Strategically he placed two spots of red, not as big as the sun, but equally deformed so as not to be clear what they might be. He wiped his brush and then blended a bit more of the colors on the canvas with a drier brush. He loved the purple he was creating.

Just as he finished his blending, Bree and Patrick arrived. They skidded to a stop beside Justin.

“I found the life preserver,” Patrick said proudly holding it out to his uncle.

“Put it on the side of the stream, and don’t go out too far,” Justin cautioned.

“’Kay, Daddy,” Bree said cheerfully.

Beau followed the children to the edge of the stream where they dropped the life preserver and kicked off their sandals. They each stuck a toe in the water.

“Cold,” Bree said with a frown.

“But it will feel good,” Patrick replied.

“Once we get wet.”

“Yeah.”

The children dunked their feet a little further into the slow running water. It felt cold but nice on their feet. They stepped down into the water that came up to their knees as they stood near the bank.

“Don’t go too far out,” Justin reminded them as he watched them edge farther into the water.

Finally Patrick ducked down and got completely wet. He came up out of the water splashing Bree mercilessly as she squealed and shrieked in protest.

Justin watched them – their innocence and playfulness. He thought of Chris Hobbs and the piece of his life that he had never got to live in the manner he was supposed to. He hated Chris Hobbs, always would, couldn’t help himself. But that was only right. No matter how many times he tried to forgive and forget he had never really been able to do that. Maybe he never would be able. Chris Hobbs deserved his hatred.

Justin looked away from the children to the canvas that he had covered with his anger and frustration. He liked the colors and the boldness of it. He knew it was good, but suddenly he knew that it needed one more thing.

Justin opened another tube of paint. He squeezed some out on the palette and took one of his smaller brushes, loading it with the new color.

Beau barked and interrupted him. Justin looked up to see the children holding onto the life preserver and drifting down the stream.

“Stay close,” Justin called out to them.

They looked back at him and kicked their feet to get them closer to the bank. They waved happily as they worked their way back upstream against the gentle current.

Justin felt a waft of love flow through him. He had such a wonderful daughter, and he had Brian and Gus and so many people in his life. Chris Hobbs could go to hell.

Justin took his brush and started working on the final piece of his canvas.

It took him quite a while to get it just the way he wanted it. The swirls were important and he wanted them to have life and movement. He continued to work, looking up only occasionally to make sure the kids didn’t drift away again. They were having a lot of fun in the water.

With a sigh, Justin added the last dab of color. He used the brush he had started with and added more red, but it had a little bit of the blue and yellow still in there. When he was done, he stepped back.

“Perfect,” he whispered. He felt like a load had been lifted from him. He placed his brushes in the solvent can and flexed the fingers of both hands.

He’d leave the painting to start to dry. He walked over to the big rock. It was completely in shade now. Justin slid up onto the rock and leaned back on his good arm. He watched the children as they continued to frolic in the water.

Before long they came out of the water each grabbing a towel that they had brought with them from the house. As they dried off, Justin asked, “Did you have fun?”

“Yep,” Patrick said decisively.

“Me too,” Bree agreed. “Did you have fun painting, Daddy?”

“Yes, yes I did.”

“That’s good,” Bree said as she and Patrick ran over to look at his canvas.

“What do you think of it?” Justin asked when they came back.

“I like the colors,” Patrick said.

“Me too,” Justin agreed.

“I like the angry part going down the drain,” Bree informed him.

Justin blinked in amazement. He thought some people would see anger in the black vortex he had painted sucking down the angry red blob touched with some softening blue and yellow. But a child?

But Bree was their daughter, and she had known art all her life. “I like that part too,” Justin said with an affectionate smile at her. She was something that Chris Hobbs could not touch. He and Brian were the luckiest parents in the world.

“Come sit on the rock with me while you dry off,” Justin said feeling light as air as the children climbed up beside him.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 9






“Michael,” Ben began. They were sitting in Emmett’s backyard doing nothing but taking in a little sun. Ben sat in the shade as he read a book, relishing in the opportunity to read something for pleasure rather than for work. Michael was reading a comic book sitting in the sun turning a golden brown; his Italian genes that were rarely used had taken over.

“What?”

“As much as I’ve enjoyed your company here, don’t you think it’s time for you to go back to work? JR is good but she’s still just a kid.”

“I guess so, but...”

“But?”

“Will you come back with me?” Michael turned toward his spouse.

“Do you want me to go back with you?”

“Why would you ask such a thing? You’re my husband!”

“Not lately,” Ben murmured, not too subtlety.

“What the fuck does that mean?”

“It means, Michael, that we haven’t slept together in weeks!”

“What are you taking about? We always sleep together!” Michael announced indignantly.

“Michael,” Ben put down his book, “we haven’t made love for over a month until the day you came here.”

“Sure we have...”

“Michael, think about it, it was before Brian and Justin came home from their trip. It’s almost July.”

“It can’t be. We always make love.”

“I don’t consider me whacking you off, making love.” Ben rarely used language like ‘whacking off’; it shocked Michael almost as much as the realization that they hadn’t made love for a very long time. Michael was so wrapped up in his own little world that he hadn’t noticed.

“I...I...”

“Michael, I have no intention of forcing myself on you. I’ll wait until you’re ready, but I think you need to find out why.”

“Why what?”

“Why you don’t want me anymore,” Ben said more pitifully than his male pride wanted to. Michael stared at Ben for a moment then jumped up and ran toward the lane. Ben desperately wanted to follow but couldn’t bring himself to. If this was the end of their marriage, Ben wasn’t ready for it, and he certainly wasn't going to beg. He flung his book into a grouping of trees then stormed into the house.

“Fuck!” Ben roared and began to throw his clothes into his duffle bag.



*****



“Hey, Mikey,” Brian said as Michael ran into the practically empty greenhouse.

Brian was sitting on a small bench that he used when he was concentrating on one area of his garden. He carefully potted the water plants that were destined for the pond. Once he had all the plants in place, he’d add the fish. The pond was filled with treated water and gently circulating its way around down the man-made waterfall into the main pond then out the small opening that joined the inside pond with the outside. The pond was heated and deep enough so that the fish could spend the winter without fear of freezing to death.

“What’s up?” Brian asked with an arch of his eyebrow as he caught the look on his friend’s face.

“Ben thinks I don’t love him anymore,” Michael blurted out.

“And why would he think that?” Brian asked as he slowly stood.

The boys had gone back to their doctor with good results. Justin no longer needed his sling and Brian was fitted for a walking boot. He still needed a cane but he now felt freer than he had in over a month. They were eagerly awaiting the arrival of Gerald, their therapist.

“Because we haven’t...”

“Fucked?” Brian supplied.

“Made love in a while.”

“And why is that, Mikey?” Brian asked in a tone that required an answer.

“Because.”

“Because why, Mikey?”

“Because I can’t!”

“Why? Why would you do that to Ben? You love him. Or has that changed?”

“NO!”

“Then what has? Why are you running away? You spent the last, what, fifteen, sixteen years bragging to me that you have the perfect marriage. That I can’t possibly have what you and Ben have. That I have no idea what a real marriage is and now you’re ready to fuck it all up? Why?”

Brian was trying to push every button he could to get Michael to face the truth, whatever the truth was.

“Tell me, Michael, what’s got you so spooked that you’d risk losing the best thing that ever happened to you?” Brian said gently as he grabbed Michael by the biceps and brought him in close. Michael looked up into concerned hazel eyes filled with love. Michael’s eyes welled up with tears. “Tell me,” Brian whispered.

“I think I got it.”

“It?”

“I think I’m positive,” Michael cried while Brian held his friend as if his life depended on it.



*****



“Daddy,” it’s time for your exercises!” Bree announced as she came into the porch.

Justin had finished several small canvases and was slowly packing them up for transport to the gallery. He didn’t want to go through the hoopla of another show but he was proud of his floral paintings and Sidney was happy to add them to his collection. There was a buzz in the art world that Justin had new canvases in the works and Sidney was very happy to exploit it.

“Baby girl, can I finish packing before I do my exercises?”

“But I promised Mr. Gerry that you were going to stick to your schedule!” Bree protested as she held up a chart.

“And I will, but the messenger is coming soon. He’s also on a schedule. Uncle Sidney is waiting.” Bree stamped her foot but sat down on a chair watching and waiting. “Thank you, sweetheart,” Justin said as he reached for a roll of tape. “You know it would go a lot faster if you’d help me,” Justin suggested as he looked up with innocent blue eyes.

“Okay, Daddy!” Bree said cheerfully as she held the tape in place as her father secured the box. Father and daughter were all smiles as they packed up the boxes.



*****



“Mim?”

“Yes, Candy.”

“Have you got plans for the Fourth of July?”

“Not exactly. Do you?”

“No, I was just thinking about what my mother and I used to do for the Fourth.”

“And what was that?” Lindsay asked sensing the girl needed to talk.

“We both love fireworks, so we’d make a picnic dinner and go to the local fireworks display. We did that last year. I … I think she knew it would be the last time.”

Lindsay saw the sadness on Candy’s face. It must be so hard without her mother. The memories were good, but they also reminded her of the gaping hole in her life since her mother’s death.

“Maybe it’s time for a new tradition,” Lindsay suggested. “Or … I guess I could go with you to the Pittsburgh fireworks … if you wanted.”

Candy shook her head. “No offense, but it just wouldn’t be the same,” she said with a sigh.

“Usually Brian and Justin have a barbecue for the Fourth of July,” Lindsay said deciding the topic of how Candy and her mother spent the Fourth of July was best left alone.

“They have a lot of barbecues,” Candy observed.

“Yeah, they do,” Lindsay said with a chuckle. “But maybe not this year. They’re both still pretty beat up.”

“Oh,” Candy replied with a note of sadness in her voice. “Everything went really well at the Memorial Day barbecue.”

“Yes, it did,” Lindsay agreed. She studied Candy for a moment. “You’d like to go to a Fourth of July picnic at Edna’s Treasures, wouldn’t you?” she asked as the light finally dawned.

“Well, maybe,” Candy hedged, “if they had fireworks.”

“They have fireworks,” Lindsay said with a laugh. “Let me call up there and see if they’re planning a get together.”

“Okay,” Candy agreed. “I’m going to make some iced tea.” She headed to the kitchen with a happy grin on her face.

Lindsay watched her and smiled. Their relationship was certainly developing. Candy had learned how to get what she wanted without directly asking for it. It was a round about way of communicating, but at least they were communicating. Candy seemed to be settling in and didn’t talk about her mother all the time the way she had at first. Lindsay didn’t want Candy to forget her mother, but it was nice to see that the girl was able to think about other things too.

Lindsay picked up the phone. “Justin?”

“Hey, Lindz. What can I do for you?”

“Are you guys planning a barbecue for the Fourth?”

“Oh, I’m not sure. We haven’t really talked about it.”

“If you are I’d be glad to help. We all know you two are still recovering. Is that going okay?”

“I got rid of my sling and Brian has a walking cast for his ankle. I guess that’s progress.”

“Sounds like it.”

“How are you and Candy doing?”

“Good. Better. Fine,” Lindsay said not sure what word best described where they were.

“It’s usually good, better, best,” Justin laughed.

“We’re okay,” Lindsay replied returning Justin’s laugh. “It was Candy who was asking about the Fourth. She loves fireworks so she tells me. I thought I’d call and see if you were up to the usual festivities.”

“Let me talk to Brian,” Justin said.

“Okay, but remember that I’m available for anything you need.”

“Thanks, Lindsay,” Justin said before he hung up the phone. He went to find Brian who he suspected was still in the greenhouse.

“Hey,” Justin said as he entered the greenhouse. Brian was sitting on his bench staring into the pond.

“Hey,” Brian muttered.

“Is something wrong?” Justin asked with a frown.

“No, at least I hope nothing’s wrong,” Brian said without looking at him.

“What does that mean?”

“It means I don’t fucking know if something’s wrong.”

“Whoa, what’s eating you?”

Brian shook his head. “I … I shouldn’t bite your head off. I’m just in a foul mood.”

“What brought this on? I thought you were looking forward to working out here. It looks like you got a good start,” Justin said as he nudged Brian over and sat down beside him on the little bench.

“Yeah, I got started, but then I had an interruption.”

“I saw Michael come out here. Did something happen between you two?”

Brian shook his head. “No, not between Michael and me.”

“Are he and Ben still fighting?”

“How did you know?’

“The shouting match on Memorial Day, and the fact that Ben was here for days by himself before Michael decided to come, make it pretty obvious that something’s wrong between them,” Justin explained.

“Yeah, I guess it does.”

“So what did Michael tell you?”

“How do you know he told me anything?”

“Because you’re bummed and you weren’t bummed before he paid you a visit.”

“Sometimes you’re too smart for your own good,” Brian stated.

“If you don’t want to tell me, that’s fine,” Justin said standing up.

“Wait, it’s not that I don’t want to tell you…”

“But you don’t want to break Michael’s confidence.” Brian nodded. “That’s okay, Brian. You and Michael have things between you that I’ll never know or understand.”

“No, no we don’t,” Brian contradicted. “Sit down … please.”

When Brian said please, Justin always did what his husband wanted. Brian rarely used that word, but when he did, it was for something important. Justin sat back down on the bench. “You still don’t have to tell me.”

“Michael thinks he’s sick,” Brian said barely above a whisper.

“Sick, with wha…?” Then the light dawned. “Oh, fuck! No! It can’t be … after all this time.”

Brian’s face showed the anguish he had been hiding. “That’s what he thinks.”

“Has he been tested?”

“No, he’s afraid.”

“But that shouldn’t stop him from being tested.”

“It has so far,” Brian said. “I told him he and Ben need to go back to the Pitts and get tested. I hope they’re going to do that.”

“They fucking better,” Justin declared, sounding a lot like his husband.

“He has to be all right,” Brian whispered as he pulled Justin against him.

“He will be. Look how long Ben has fought this thing. Michael will be fine, and we don’t even know for sure that he’s … ill.”

“You mean positive,” Brian corrected refusing to let the word scare him any more than he already was.

“They’ve made big strides since Ben was diagnosed. Michael will be okay.”

“Let’s not talk about this any more,” Brian said drawing in a deep breath and releasing Justin.

“Think positive thoughts,” Justin replied caressing Brian’s cheek.

“I always think positive thoughts, Daddy,” Bree said as she stood in the entrance to the greenhouse.

“How long have you been standing there?” Brian asked.

“I just got here. What don’t you want to talk about anymore, Dada?”

Brian let out a soft breath. He didn’t want Bree burdened with their worries, especially when he was praying that they would be unfounded.

When Brian didn’t answer, Justin piped up. “We were discussing a Fourth of July barbecue,” he informed Bree.

“We were?”

“Yes, we were,” Justin replied firmly. “Lindsay just called to see if we were planning to have one. It seems Candy is very fond of fireworks.”

“Is she now?” Brian asked, his equilibrium returning with this topic that he could discuss dispassionately.

“Yes, she is,” Justin responded with a gentle smile for his mate.

“I like fireworks too,” Bree added.

“I know you do, Squirt,” Brian conceded.

“So, can we have a barbecue with fireworks?” Bree asked.

“I think that might be arranged,” Brian said.

“But only if you do your exercises every day, Daddy,” Bree decreed.

“And if I don’t?” Justin asked wanting to see how his daughter would deal with that.

“No barbecue for you,” Bree stated. “And no fireworks.”

“Then you won’t get to have a barbecue or fireworks either.”

Bree frowned and glared at her father. “Yes I will! You’ll have to stay in your room, Daddy. Won’t he, Dada, if he doesn’t do his exercises?”

“I think that makes sense,” Brian agreed with his tongue in his cheek. Justin gave him a swat. “We wouldn’t want to punish everyone for your recalcitrance in doing your prescribed calisthenics.”

“You are so full of shit!” Justin told his husband.

“Daddy, you shouldn’t tell Dada that. He’s right.”

“Well, I don’t agree that he’s right,” Justin contradicted.

“But he is, Daddy,” Bree insisted.

Justin heaved a weary sigh. “Well, it’s a moot point, because I have been doing my exercises and I will continue to do so.”

“That’s my Sunshine,” Brian crowed.

“That’s my Daddy,” Bree declared.

Justin and Brian smiled at their precocious daughter.

“Are you ready for a snack?” Justin asked.

“Yes, Daddy. Ice cream.”

“Ice cream?”

“Yes, ice cream. It’s very hot,” Bree told them.

“I guess it is,” Justin agreed.

“I think I could use a bowl of sorbet,” Brian stated.

“No, Dada, banilla!”

“Vanilla it is,” Brian said standing up and stepping down on his walking cast gingerly.

“Yay!” Bree yelled before she disappeared out the door of the greenhouse.

“Michael’s going to be fine,” Justin said as he slipped his hand into Brian’s.

“He has to be,” Brian whispered.

“He will be.”

Brian nodded. That was what he was hoping for, but Michael needed to get to a doctor and find out one way or the other. “Maybe vanilla ice cream will make us all feel better,” Brian said.

“Ice cream makes everything better,” Justin agreed as they walked hand in hand out of the greenhouse.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Glass Houses

Chapter 10






The Kinney-Taylors were enjoying some ice cream in the sun porch as the evening started to fall towards night. John, Bobby and Patrick came from their side of the house each carrying a bowl of ice cream.

“Great minds, and all that…” John said as he saw the others seated at the table in the sun porch, each with a small bowl in front of them.

“Ice cream?” Justin asked.

Bobby nodded. “It’s perfect for such a warm evening.”

The Anderson-Morrisons joined the others at the table.

“We had a phone call from Lindsay,” Justin volunteered. “She was wondering if we were having a barbecue and fireworks for the Fourth.”

“Hm, we have been remiss in dealing with the impending holiday,” John said.

Bobby and Justin laughed. “You sounded just like Brian,” they said in unison.

“Hm,” John said again, “I thought I sounded very professorial.”

“What’s professorial?” Bree asked struggling with the big word.

“My dad’s a professor now,” Patrick said proudly. “It means he sounds like a professor.”

“Oh,” Bree said. She wished she was as smart as Patrick, but she never seemed to be able to catch up to her cousin.

“A very fine professor he is too,” Bobby added giving his spouse a kiss on the cheek.

“Fucking too many professors around here,” Brian mumbled.

“Brian!” Justin said sharply.

“What’s up?” Bobby asked with a frown.

Justin gave him the look that said ‘not in front of the children’. Since Bobby could take a clue, he immediately changed the subject.

“So, do we want to have a barbecue for the Fourth?” Bobby asked.

“Why not?” John posed.

“I’m okay with it,” Justin said.

“What about you, Brian?” John asked. He had a worried look on his face about what was bothering his brother.

“I think it would be just peachy,” Brian said in his most sarcastic voice.

“With lots of fireworks,” Bree piped in not picking up on her father’s tone of voice.

“And hamburgers,” Patrick added.

Brian looked at the children and their happy faces. He realized he was being a total grouch, and all about something that he had no control over, and maybe about something that wasn’t even a problem. At least that was what he was hoping for.

“Why don’t we invite the guys who’ve been working so hard on the greenhouse and the B&B?” Brian said suddenly, taking everyone by surprise.

“Are you sure?” Justin asked.

“I wouldn’t have said it if I wasn’t sure,” Brian told them all.

“Then a barbecue it is,” John declared.

“With fireworks,” Bree said.

“And hamburgers,” Patrick added.

“And all of our cwazy wittle family, times two,” Brian said feeling a little better now that they had something ‘positive’ to look forward to.



*****



“Hello!” Gerry called out as he gingerly entered the greenhouse which appeared to be abuzz with movers and shakers.

“Back here!” a familiar voice called out above the noise. Gerry had followed the path that joined the cottage garden with the greenhouse looking for his patients. One of whom was elbows deep in a humongous decorative pot, a small tree was resting close by waiting to be planted. Gerry followed the noise.

“Hi. I knocked at the cottage but no one answered. The wolf led me here,” Gerry said as Beau loped in then sat next to where Gerry was standing. Brian chuckled.

“That is Beau, supreme commander and number one guard dog of our lane. I'm not sure if you were formally introduced the last time you were here. But if you passed his test then you must be okay,” Brian said as he straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag then extended his hand to shake Gerry’s.

“I am extremely glad I passed the test,” Gerry said with a smile. “That’s one dog I want on my side.” Beau gave a woof then trotted out of the side door to parts unknown. “What does he do all day?” Gerry cocked his head toward the retreating dog.

“Patrols, keeps an eye on the kids, visits whoever is home on the lane. Did you bring your bags?” Brian asked.

“In my car, I’ll get them later. Uh, what’s going on in here?”

“Just a little gar-gar,” Brian replied with his tongue in cheek. “You said no one answered at the cottage? Justin’s home with the kids,” Brian mentioned with some concern. Just then Todd walked in pushing a dolly holding more pots.

“I saw Justin with the kids trooping behind him heading for the stream. They look like they had enough supplies to stay for the day,” Todd explained, knowing that Brian would need to hear it.

“Supplies?” Gerry asked.

“Justin likes to paint down there and the kids have become his assistants,” Brian explained. “They make a picnic out of it.”

“That makes sense. And since both my patients appear to be occupied, can I help? I’m a big strong guy, put me to work.” Gerry smiled broadly as he flexed his muscles. Brian laughed as Todd tried not to drool.

“Sure. See that grouping over there.” Brian pointed to a large group of tropical palms and fruit trees. Gerry nodded. “Those benches go around them.” Brian then pointed to a set of curved benches.

“Aye, aye, cap’n!” Gerry saluted and then went off to move said benches. Todd was staring at the handsome therapist.

“Hey, Todd, how’s it going?” Brian teased at the preoccupied look on Todd’s face.

“Fine,” Todd automatically responded, not thinking at all except about their large new helper. Todd did a double take then glared at Brian making him giggle.

“You’ve got it bad. Go, introduce yourself. I’ll call you when I’m ready to pot this sucker,” Brian said cocking his head at the tree.

“Is he gay?” Todd asked hopefully.

“He’s not sure. But I do get a ping from him and I’m never wrong,” Brian said smugly. Todd frowned. “He’s an old friend of Bobby’s. A physical therapist to the stars, and he’s going to spend a few weeks here getting me and Justin back on our feet, so to speak,” Brian commented as he looked down at his special boot. “He’s very gay friendly and more than a little bi-curious. I think the right man can turn him to the dark side. If you’re lucky, that man could be you.” Brian smirked.

Todd sighed.

“Look at it this way, when was the last time you got laid?” Brian arched a brow.

“I can’t remember that far back.”

“Then what have you got to lose?” Brian asked. Todd shrugged then hightailed it over as Gerry was about to lift a bench.

“Matchmaking again, Mr. Kinney?” Emmett asked as he walked toward Brian.

“Maybe,” Brian admitted. “When did you guys get here?”

“About an hour ago. My boys and I were just airing out the cottage.” Brian arched his brow. “Lots of bad vibes,” Emmett said cryptically. Brian nodded. “When did Ben and Mikey leave?”

“Not a fucking clue. Help me with this.” Brian had Emmett hold the tree while Brian loosened the root ball then the two friends lifted the tree to set it into the prepared pot.

“Ooo, I feel just like Davy Crockett!” Emmett gushed.

“More like Davy Cock-it and what has he got to do with planting?”

“I don’t know, I just feel woodsie. And he was an outdoorsman,” Emmett grinned. Brian shook his head; he had the strangest friends.

“Speaking about wood.” Brian pointed his chin toward Todd and Gerry and the sparks that were flying.

“Mmm, my, my, my, is it getting hot in here?”

“We are in a hothouse,” Brian snarked. “Maybe I should turn on the overhead sprinkler. I may never get these trees planted before the barbecue if those two are going to make goo-goo eyes at each other all day,” Brian said with a ‘woe is me’ tone.

“Oh, pshaw. I had a word with John, don’t you worry your gorgeous head over it. Your number one party planner has it all in hand, pardon the pun.”

“Including fireworks? And I’m not referring to ones in here.”

“Including fireworks. Richie hinted that Candy had a thing for fireworks.”

“And Richie has a thing for Candy,” Brian countered. “Can you handle it if your transvestite son falls in love with a female Goth?”

“We’re handling it so far. Drew thinks they’re sweet together.”

“And what do you think?”

“I love Richie so much; I want him to be happy. Candy makes him happy.”

“You’re a good dad, Emm,” Brian said sincerely.

“Oh, B-Brian,” Emmett blubbered.

“Oh for fuck’s sake, you big fairy, stop the waterworks and help me with this other tree.”

Soon, Richie and Drew joined the men in the greenhouse. By the end of the day the majority of the larger plants and trees had been potted and arranged to Brian’s satisfaction. They were all hungry, sweaty and filthy.

“Hey, you guys look like you’ve been playing in dirt!” John poked his head into the greenhouse doorway. Somehow the construction boss looked pristine in comparison. He laughed when the guys all gaped at him. “Bobby and I have the grills going. Go clean up then come and eat!” John disappeared out the door.

The guys looked at each other for a moment. No one had to tell them twice. Emmett and his boys scurried to their cottage. Brian invited Todd and Gerry to break in the new greenhouse shower as Brian hosed himself down before going to his cottage to shower.

Within an hour the men and extended family of Edna’s Treasures were enjoying the summer night with good food and good friends.



*****



“Right this way, Mr. Novotny,” the nursing assistant called out into the waiting room. Michael slowly followed waiting for the worst.

“Michael, it’s been a while,” Michael’s doctor greeted him cordially.

“Hi, Dr. Klein,” Michael greeted then sat up on the examination table.

“What brings you in today?” Dr. Klein looked over Michael’s chart then began his preliminary exam. Michael had gone for a bunch of lab tests days before his appointment.

“I, uh, haven’t been feeling well,” Michael mumbled.

“Breathe,” the doctor said, his stethoscope in his ears. “Again. One more. Your lungs are clear. Blood pressure’s fine and your heart...” The doctor listened to Michael’s chest. “...still beating. Let’s have the tech do an EKG then meet me in my office. We’ll talk.” The doctor patted Michael on the back then disappeared out the door and into another exam room.

Michael sighed then laid back as the tech came to do the EKG.

“Come in!” the doctor said without looking up from the chart. “Have a seat.” The doctor studied the lab results then finally looked up at his patient. Michael was pale even with the tan and there were dark circles under his eyes. He also appeared to have lost weight. Never having that much weight to spare, it made Michael look a little gaunt.

“Michael, you’re negative,” the doctor announced first. Dr. Klein was gay; the majority of his patients were gay and that was the first and foremost news his patients all wanted to know. The doctor accommodated them all by saying that first.

Michael visibly shrunk into the chair then burst into tears. The doctor flew out of his chair to squat in front of his patient. “Did you believe that you converted?”

Michael nodded.

“But you and Ben are so careful. And with his current cocktail, his viral load is practically nonexistent. Why would you think it?”

Michael shrugged.

“Michael, did something happen, are you no longer monogamous?”

“Nothing’s changed,” Michael finally said. “But I thought...look at me. I’m so tired and everything hurts and sometimes I just can’t get through the day. I can’t sleep. It even hurts to brush my teeth. If I don’t have...HIV, then what do I have. Is it cancer?” Michael asked in horror. He was terrified.

“Michael, is Ben out there?” The doctor pointed toward the door. Michael nodded. He and Ben were still not talking in full sentences but Ben had insisted on accompanying him. “Let me send for him,” the doctor said as he stood up to get to his phone. “Please have Professor Bruckner brought into my office.”

“Ben, good to see you,” the doctor greeted when Ben entered the office. “And no, Michael isn’t positive,” the doctor said as he shook Ben’s hand.

“Is that what this is all about?” Ben asked as he immediately went to Michael’s side. The doctor said nothing as the tableau before him played out. “Michael, as far as I know, we never had a broken condom and unless you...”

“I never broke our vows,” Michael said.

“Then why? And I don’t understand why you didn’t tell me what was going on with you?”

“I thought, I don’t know what I thought. I’m just so tired all the time and I have purple bruises and my body hurts.”

“Oh baby!” Ben cried as he pulled Michael into his arms. The doctor allowed Ben to console his spouse for a minute then he gently maneuvered them onto the small sofa that was in his office. He got a couple bottles of water, made sure they wouldn’t be disturbed then put a chair in front of them so he could speak to both of them.

“Michael, your white cell count is a little high but that could happen even if you had allergies. Overall your lab work is not much different than the last time. You are one of the healthiest men that I know. I know your mother; you come from tough stock. If all my patients were as healthy as you are, I’d be looking for another career. Your symptoms are rather vague.”

“Are you saying he’s making this up?” Ben growled.

“Not at all,” the doctor said as he raised his hands in surrender. “What I’m saying is that there isn’t one particular disease that your symptoms are pointing to. And that in itself is significant.”

“You lost me,” Ben said, his fingers intertwined with Michael’s. They hadn’t felt this close in months. Ben could feel Michael relax next to him.

“I have to run a few more tests but I think you have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Now I have to be honest with you, this has no cure but we can treat the symptoms and if you’re careful, you can go into remission. Michael, this won’t be easy,” the doctor cautioned.

“We can get through this,” Ben stated. “We’ve gotten through worse, we can beat this. Together,” Ben said emphatically.

“Together,” Michael repeated as he gazed into the eyes he loved so much. Ben kissed him chastely then the kiss deepened as the partners who had gotten temporarily sidetracked, reaffirmed their love.

The clearing of a throat finally separated them. “I’m going to give you some instructions and literature on what you’re going to be up against. I want you to schedule these tests then come back in two weeks so we can discuss the results. In the meantime, go find yourself a quiet place to relax. If you insist on going to the store, no lifting anything heavier than a one dollar bill.”

“I promise you, Dr. Klein, Michael will follow all of your instructions,” Ben stated.

“Good, now go home, take a nice long shower and get some...rest,” the doctor said with a knowing smile.

Michael and Ben left their doctor’s office a little relieved and a little scared. As they drove home, Ben ventured a suggestion.

“Babe, I understand that the store is one of the most important things in your life but I’d like for you to take a break for a while, and when John finishes that cottage, I’d like us to use it. Please, Michael. For as long as it takes for you to get better. Let me take care of you for a change. For most of our life together you always watched my back. Let me do this for you.”

“What about school?” Michael said weakly. The emotion of the day was overwhelming.

“I’m tenured; I’ll take a sabbatical.”

“But you love your job!”

“I love you more.”

They were silent for the remainder of the ride home. When they got back to their house, Ben helped Michael take a leisurely shower then he put Michael to bed.

“Ben...”

“No, Michael, your health is the most important thing to me. I love you more than anything in this world. Go to sleep, we’ll discuss it later. We don’t have to make any decisions at this moment. Just get some rest, Babe. I love you,” Ben said as he kissed his sleepy spouse.

“Love you,” Michael murmured as his eyelids closed. Ben settled into a chair near their bed, took out all the material their doctor gave them and began to do what he did best, research. He vowed that by the time Michael woke up, he would know everything there was about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.



*****



“So, who’s going to be my first victim?” Gerry asked Brian and Justin during breakfast. Emmett and his men joined the family of Edna’s Treasures for breakfast to finalize the barbecue. They were all sitting around the kitchen. Gus had grabbed some toast as he flew out the door to drive into Harrisburg. His boyfriend was flying in and Gus couldn’t wait to see him.

“Later, Pop!” Gus yelled before the front door slammed shut.

“Justin!” Brian answered.

“Brian!” Justin said at the same time in response to Gerry’s question.

Gerry looked back and forth between the two men. “Decide, because you’re doing entirely different exercises,” Gerry said with hands on hips.

“Him!” Brian and Justin each pointed at the other man.

Gerry sighed. “We’re flipping a coin,” he declared as he dug a quarter out of his pocket. “Call it!”

“Tails!” both men said then burst out laughing.

“You’re not going to make it easy for me, are you?” Gerry asked with a scowl. “Okay, you’re forcing me to choose,” he said as Brian and Justin nodded. “And you won’t argue with me when I make my decision?” Gerry asked as he glared at his precocious patients. Brian and Justin nodded. Gerry closed his eyes, covering them with one hand then pointed with the other.

“Yes!” Brian hissed as he pumped the air with his fist. “Well, Sunshine, go get your balls warmed up,” Brian said smugly as he pointed toward their bedroom. Justin grumbled but he left the kitchen to go get his balls, his exercise squeezie balls, from their bedroom.

“You do know that I chose him on purpose,” Gerry confessed to Brian.

“I know. Stupid, you’re not,” Brian said as he started clearing the table of dishes. Emmett waved him away as he grabbed the plates.

“My mama raised no fool. Besides, he really is close to one hundred percent. He just needs to strengthen his arm but I’m sensing something. He seems to be holding back and I don’t know why. Your doctor is very pleased with both of you. It’s like he’s frightened of something. Most of the time I have to stop my patients from doing too much but Justin is the opposite. I’d like to push him to work harder but I get the impression his hesitation has nothing to do with his injury.”

Brian said nothing but slightly nodded his head.

“It might help if I knew the whole story,” Gerry said gently, hoping that Brian would inform him. Instead Brian threw a poignant look at Emmett then stood up and walked out. “Well, that went well,” Gerry grumbled.

Emmett gave Drew and Richie a look. They took the hint, gathered up the children and hustled them out the door.

“Gerry, let me tell you a little story,” Emmett began as he poured two more cups of coffee.



*****



“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian said as he walked into their bedroom. “Gerry’s waiting. Whatcha doing?” Brian asked as he sat on the bed watching Justin shuffle through an old portfolio. Justin pulled out an old sketch.

“Do you know what this is?” Justin handed a sketch to Brian. Brian shook his head although the sketch was clearly a denim jacket. Brian waited until Justin explained. “This was part of my entrance exam to PIFA when I decided to go there instead of Dartmouth. Back then it felt so good holding a pencil in my hand and drawing exactly what I saw. Nothing could stop me except a baseball bat.”

 

 


Justin flexed his right hand as if he was experiencing a cramp. Brian immediately took Justin’s hand into his and gently massaged. Large blue eyes looked into Brian’s then began to spill over with tears. Justin began to tremble.

Brian said nothing as he drew the younger man into arms.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 11






“Daddy, did you do all your exercises for Mr. Gerry?” Bree asked as her father came out of the bedroom.

“Yes, Bree, I did them all,” Justin replied as he kept on walking into the kitchen. He needed a drink of iced tea and some peace and quiet, mostly the peace and quiet. Brian had been hovering since his meltdown before he started his therapy with Gerry. Justin knew Brian was worried about him, but Justin couldn’t really put into words what was wrong. Some of it was the memories – memories of things best forgotten. But the exercises, so similar to the ones he had done for months after the bashing. They brought back all those feelings every time he had to exercise his arm – feelings of frustration, fear, anxiety, hatred. Justin shivered as he took the pitcher of iced tea out of the fridge and poured some into a glass. He willed his hand not to shake.

“Daddy?”

“What?” Justin snapped. He was in no mood for this. Where was his much desired peace and quiet?

“What’s wrong, Daddy?” Bree asked with a worried look on her face. “Did your exercises hurt?”

“No, they didn’t hurt,” Justin said, his voice softening a bit as he saw Bree’s concern. “I’m going to the stream for a little while.”

“I can come with you,” Bree volunteered hopefully.

“No,” Justin said brusquely. Bree’s face fell. “I just need some time by myself. We’ll go another time,” he promised.

Justin quickly hurried out of the kitchen, his iced tea in his hand. Bree watched him go, feeling very left out and unhappy. She walked out to the sun porch where she could see her father disappearing down the path to the stream. He didn’t want her to go with him. He would rather be by himself. Bree crawled up on one of the chaises in the sun porch and sniffled trying to hold back tears. She knew something was wrong with her father, but she didn’t know what, or what she could do about it.

A few minutes later Beau appeared beside her chaise carrying her grey bunny. He set the stuffed toy on the chaise beside the little girl.

Bree looked up and grabbed her bunny. “Thanks, Beau,” she said sadly.

Beau laid his head on the chaise so that Bree could pat it. She obliged, but Beau could tell that her mind was elsewhere. He just rested his head there and waited as she ran her fingers through his fur.



*****



Drew opened the back door of the sun porch and held it open for the man with him.

“Some of our older guests may decide to sit in here especially if the weather is not the best,” Drew explained to the man. “So, we need to make sure that the fireworks can be seen from here.”

The man looked around the sun porch and noted the glass roof. “It’s good they will be able to see up above,” he said.

“That’s part of the charm of this place,” Drew advised the man. “Do you think you can position the fireworks to best advantage for those in here as well as the ones who will be out in the yard?”

“I think that meadow there is the place to let them off,” the man replied pointing to the field at the back of the house.

“Yeah, that makes sense,” Drew agreed. “I really appreciate you doing this, Ralph.”

“I appreciate the extra money,” Ralph said.

Drew chuckled. “I know you probably have your own family to take care of on the Fourth, but we wanted these fireworks to be extra special this year.”

“I’ll make sure they’re spectacular, just like the ones I’m in charge of at the football stadium,” Ralph promised.

“We’re lucky there’s no baseball game on the Fourth,” Drew noted. “Oh, and we don’t need quite as many fireworks as you have at the stadium.”

“If you want to skimp…” Ralph joked.

Drew shook his head. “Just make it nice.”

“Yes, sir,” Ralph replied with a mock salute. “I’m going to walk out into the meadow and choose a flat clear space where I can work.”

“Good idea,” Drew said. He had just spotted Bree on the chaise. She had been listening to them with a woebegone look on her face. “I’ll be here when you get back.”

Ralph went out the door, and then Drew turned around. “What are you doing there, princess?” he asked Bree. Beau raised his head to see what this human was going to do to help the little girl.

“My Daddy left me all by myself,” Bree pouted.

“He did? Where did he go?”

“The stream,” Bree sniffled holding her grey bunny tight against her body.

“Do you want me to get Brian for you?” Drew volunteered.

Bree shook her head. “Not Dada, Daddy,” she insisted.

“Justin?” Bree nodded. Drew wondered what was wrong with Justin that he would leave Bree alone. And where was her other father? “Where’s your Dada?” he asked.

“He’s doing his exercises with Mr. Gerry.”

“In the bedroom?” Bree nodded. Drew was about to go knock on the bedroom door when he heard Brian’s voice in the kitchen. “Stay put, Bree. I’ll get your Dada,” Drew said quickly, glad that he wouldn’t be left to deal with this on his own. He walked into the kitchen.

“What are you doing here?” Brian demanded of Drew. He was getting a bottle of water and some Tylenol for his throbbing ankle.

“I brought Ralph from the stadium over to check out the lay of the land for the fireworks on the Fourth.”

“Great,” Brian snarked ungraciously. He just wanted some pain killers and a chair, and to be left alone.

“I found Bree in the sun porch. She seems … upset.”

“Upset?”

“She said her Daddy left her all alone.”

Brian sat down at the kitchen table. He ran his fingers through his hair wondering what he should do. Justin was not in good shape, and he wasn’t much better. His ankle continued to throb in spite of the Tylenol.

“Do you want me to send her in?” Drew asked. He did want to help, but he also wanted to escape.

“Okay,” Brian said wearily.

Drew quickly vacated the kitchen. He told Bree that her Dada was waiting for her in the kitchen. Bree and grey bunny headed in that direction. Drew went to the door of the sun porch waiting for Ralph to return, hopefully before he had to deal with any more forlorn little girls.



*****



“You decided to come back.”

“Jesus, Brian, you scared me,” Justin said as he set his empty iced tea glass on the counter and turned to look at his husband.

“You scared Bree.”

“Scared Bree?”

“Yes, she knows something is wrong and you shut her out.”

“I…”

“I know you’re going through some stuff, but don’t take it out on Bree.”

“I’m not trying to take it out on Bree…” Justin began as he gave his spouse a glare. It wasn’t all that long ago that Brian was just as crabby with Bree when they had gotten home from their Hawaii trip.

“Apparently you didn’t have to try,” Brian said pointedly almost regretting his words as they spewed out.

“Where is she?”

“In her room making you a card.”

“Fuck! With a rainbow?”

“Probably.”

“I’ll go talk to her,” Justin said.

“Good,” Brian muttered with a heavy sigh. Things were not as they should be. He took a walk outside down to the greenhouse.



*****



“Kinney,” Brian said as he answered his cell phone. He was walking toward one of the new benches in the greenhouse. He could hear the muted sounds of construction coming from down the lane. He was expecting one last delivery of plants from the garden center, delicate orchids to add to the hibiscus and palms. Brian had long tables ready to hold the smaller pots. The greenhouse was almost complete, his little tropical sanctuary in the middle of the Pennsylvania countryside.

“Brian?” he heard from the other end of the phone.

“Ben? What’s wrong?” Brian asked as he sat with a thud.

“Everything,” Ben said softly.

“Tell me,” Brian demanded. Ben told Brian what their doctor had told them and the prognosis. “But he will get better, right? He has to get better; he’s always been so strong.”

“I don’t know. It’s something that seems to hang on but can go into remission. He has to rest, really rest. I’m trying to convince him to take a long break from the store. I’m going to arrange to take a sabbatical.”

“Can you afford it?”

“There’s no alternative; I can’t afford not to take it.”

Brian nodded even though Ben couldn’t see him. “Does Debbie know?”

“NO, and we’re not going to tell her until we have all the facts to present to her. You know how she’ll get. She means well but she’ll drive right over here and take over. That’s the last thing he needs right now.”

“Yeah.”

“Brian, is the cottage ready yet? I want to move him there as soon as possible. He needs to get away from the city. I think fresh air and quiet will do him a world of good.”

“Soon. The structure is all up. They’ll be finishing off the walls as soon as the inspector signs off on the wiring and plumbing. But there’s still a lot to do. John’s consulting Emmett regarding the kitchen and the furniture.”

“Emmett? You don’t want to do that yourself?” Ben teased knowing how anal Brian could get about his furnishings and environment.

“This is John’s baby. I have my own playhouse.”

“You planted your trees?” Ben smiled to himself. He still couldn’t get over the fact that big bad Brian, Armani clad Brian, loved to play in the dirt and had a gentle way around flowers.

“Yup. And it’s quiet in here even with the hammering going on. The waterfall is so peaceful. I think you’ll both like it in here.”

“I can’t wait to see it.”

“I’ll give you the grand tour when you come up for the barbecue.” Silence followed Brian’s statement. “You are coming for the barbecue, aren’t you?”

“No, he’s too tired. Besides, he’s not ready to face everyone yet.”

“I know the feeling,” Brian said with a sigh.

“I imagine you do. Brian, please don’t say a word. I know that Debbie will hound you to death and possibly blame you for something she believes is your fault but I beg you, don’t tell her. I’ll take care of that when he’s a little stronger. Promise me.”

“I promise.”

“Thank you, Brian, you’re a good friend.”

“I love him,” Brian whispered.

“I know you do.”

“Ben...” Brian choked up.

“Don’t. I’ve had to hide from him. I don’t want him to see me cry. I have to be strong for him. We both have to be strong for him, Brian. I gotta go, he’s waking up. He sleeps a lot but he’s still always tired. Let me know when we can move in.”

Ben abruptly hung up before Brian could say anything else. He stared at the phone in his hand trying to resist the temptation to smash it against the cement floor.

“FUCK!” he shouted, hearing his voice bounce against glass walls.

“Bri?” Justin called out. He heard Brian curse but couldn’t see him in the midst of all the trees. “Bri,” he called out again.

“Dada?” Bree’s little voice called out. “Ooooo!” she exclaimed as she looked around at all of the plants. Neither she nor Justin had seen the greenhouse with all the plants. “DAAAADAAAA!” Bree called out louder straining to see around the trees.

Brian quickly wiped his face, getting himself together before his spouse and daughter could see him. “Back here!” He could hear Justin and Bree slowly make their way toward the clump of palm trees oooing and aahing as they walked toward him. Their slow pace allowed Brian to compose himself fully, but Justin could tell something was wrong.

“Dada, I found you!” Bree said with a smile as she spied her father sitting on a curved bench.

“I didn’t know I was lost, Squirt,” Brian responded; their old joke. Bree flung her arms around her older father.

“I love you, Dada.”

“Love you, Squirt,” Brian whispered as he hugged her, looking up at Justin. “Love you with all my heart,” he said to both his blonds. Justin sat next to Brian, reaching over Bree’s shoulder for a kiss which was freely given.

The three sat silently huddled together unwilling to move, just relishing in their quiet solitude surrounded by the trees and flowers.



*****



“I think it’s time we got out of bed,” Ray murmured as he snuggled closer intro Gus’ side.

“Do we have to?” Gus responded as he turned so he could wrap his long arms around Ray. From the moment Gus picked up Ray from the airport then returned to the cottage, the boys had fallen into bed and no one had seen them since. The family knew the boys were okay by the sounds emanating from Gus’ room and the fact any and all leftovers had completely disappeared.

“We should, besides we really need to shower.” Ray lifted a corner of the blanket to take a whiff. “We reek!” he declared as he quickly dropped the blanket; Gus laughed.

“I missed this,” Gus said, kissing the side of Ray’s face.

“What? Stink?”

“No,” Gus chuckled, pinching Ray’s arm. “Us, laughing together. I love making love with you. I love it when we fuck each other stupid but most of all I love when we just laugh together. I missed it. I missed you.”

The boys hugged then made love again in spite of the ‘stink.’ An hour later, out of breath and stinking even more, they laid back looking at the ceiling and laughed like a pair of hyenas.

“We should get up.”

“Yeah.”

“We need a shower.”

“Yeah.”

“We have to change these sheets.”

“Yeah.”

Within minutes the boys were fast asleep.



*****



July Fourth, it was hot and sticky but that wasn’t about to deter the extended family of Edna’s Treasures from partying. The construction crew had arrived early to set up the additional grills. Wives, partners and children all introduced themselves around. Patrick and Bree were thrilled to be able to play with dozens of children their own age.

Debbie and Carl drove up in their mobile home, Ted and Allen came with them. Lindsay brought JR and Candy. Molly and her family decided to do the correct thing and go to her in-laws for their get together, so she graciously offered her cottage to Lindsay and the girls if they wanted to stay over.

Since the Memorial Day barbecue was a huge family affair, much of the extended family stayed in Pittsburgh, opting to spend the day with other family which was all right with the boys. There were more than enough family and other guests to make up for it.

“Where the fuck is everyone?” Debbie grumbled as she climbed out of the RV. Carl handed her a large container of macaroni salad.

“I don’t know, honey, but we are very early,” Carl answered. Ted and Allen popped their heads out of the side door then disappeared back inside to get the rest of the food that Debbie had prepared.

“The boys need help,” Debbie declared as she marched herself to the front door of the cottage. As she opened the door it dawned on her that she didn’t see Michael and Ben’s car. “They’ll be here later,” she murmured to herself as she went inside.



*****



“Hey, Brian, thanks for inviting me to the barbecue,” Todd said as he walked around the side of Edna’s Treasures. He was happy to have been invited to the party. Since it was a holiday, and the garden center was closed, Todd had not been looking forward to spending a long day alone. He was also hoping that Gerry McQueen might be in attendance at the same party.

“No problem,” Brian responded distractedly from his chair. His eyes did not move from their focus.

Todd followed Brian’s line of sight. “Is Justin doing okay with his therapy?”

“Yeah.”

“He looks fine.”

“Yeah.”

Todd shrugged. “Is Gerry here?”

“Over there,” Brian replied raising his hand to indicate a group of people sitting under the big shade tree.

“Thanks,” Todd said as he walked away.

“Brian?” Lindsay said as she approached his chair.

“Yeah.”

“Why are you staring at Justin?”

“Because I need to.”

“Need?”

“Yeah.”

“Not want?”

“No.”

“He’s okay, Brian.”

“Yeah, okay.”

Lindsay shook her head as she headed in the direction of Justin.

“Uncle Brian?”

“Yes, JR.”

“Is my dad coming up today? I thought he was here with Ben.”

“They went back a few days ago.”

“But they didn’t tell me. I’ve been staying at Mommy’s. Nobody ever tells me anything,” JR sighed.

“You’re fine at Lindsay’s, aren’t you?” Brian asked still staring at Justin.

“Yes, but…”

“Your dads will be in touch soon.”

“So they’re not coming today,” JR stated dejectedly.

“No, they’re not coming.”

“Is something wrong?” she asked.

“No, nothing is wrong,” Brian said very quietly.

“Okay,” JR agreed, but her voice said she didn’t agree at all.

Brian drew in a breath. Now he had that to worry about as well as Justin’s condition.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 12





“Justin, are you okay?” Lindsay asked as the man talking to Justin moved away. Justin looked okay, but obviously Brian knew that something was wrong.

“I’m fine,” Justin stated firmly. “Brian’s worrying about nothing.” Justin had seen her talking to Brian. He willed his voice to sound calm and normal, even though he felt neither of those things. He was going to get through this day. He could do it. He just had to hold himself together, but it took so much energy to do that. He prayed he had enough.

“Then, what’s up with Brian?” Lindsay asked with a frown.

“He’s just feeling grumpy and out of sorts because of his leg,” Justin lied.

Lindsay shook her head. Something was going on, but neither of them seemed willing to talk about it. “Candy’s really looking forward to the fireworks later,” she said not being able to think of anything more innocuous to say.

“Good,” Justin replied holding himself straight and tall, using all the will he had left.



*****



“Brian, I haven’t seen my son,” Danny said as he approached Brian’s chair.

“He and Ben won’t be here today,” Brian responded wearily. He wished his best friend and Ben were there to answer their own questions.

“That’s not like them. They’re always here,” Danny noted.

“Not this time.”

“Most peculiar.”

“These are peculiar times … trying too.”

“Trying?”

“Yes, trying.”

“Brian, I’ve been getting a funny vibe all day. What’s going on?”

“Old drag queens should watch out for those funny vibes,” Brian replied acerbically.

Danny glared at his young friend. Apparently Brian wasn’t going to tell him anything. He’d have to look elsewhere for answers.



*****



“John,” Bobby said, “do you think they’ll be all right?”

John knew he was talking about Brian and Justin without using their names. John shrugged. “Who knows?”

“It’s not like you to be pessimistic.”

“I have this feeling things are building up to an explosion. There’s only so much pressure that can be tolerated, especially by my brother.”

“I hope you’re wrong.”

“Me too,” John agreed.

“Let’s hope this isn’t one of your prognostications.”

“They’re only for the weather … after I hear what the meteorologists have to say.”

Bobby smiled before standing on his tiptoes to give the tall man a kiss on the cheek. “I love you,” Bobby whispered.



*****



“Want a burger?” Todd asked Gerry.

“That sounds good,” Gerry agreed.

“I can get us a couple,” Todd volunteered.

“I’ll come with you.”

“I hear the food around here is excellent,” Todd said.

“Anything I’ve had has been excellent. They don’t hesitate to feed me.”

“I know Brian usually barbecues.”

“Not today,” Gerry corrected him. “He’s staying off that ankle.”

“And not looking too happy about it.” They both glanced over at Brian who seemed lost in thought, an uneaten burger sitting on a plate beside him. They got in line behind Bree and Patrick who were waiting impatiently for their Auntie Emm to cook them a hotdog.

“Hurry up,” Bree muttered to herself. She was really hungry. She was also feeling a little out of sorts. She always liked the way her Dada made her hotdog. She wasn’t so sure about Auntie Emm.

“I’m sure the hotdogs will be ready in a minute, Miss Bree,” Gerry said encouragingly.

“I know,” Bree replied with a sigh.

“Are you ready for fireworks later?” Todd asked.

“Oh yes, they’re going to be good,” she answered with more enthusiasm.

“I certainly hope so,” Todd said. He suspected Bree could make her own brand of fireworks if things didn’t go the way she wanted.



*****



“This is amazing!” Ray exclaimed as he and Gus slowly strolled through the greenhouse. “It’s like he recreated the tropics, complete with waterfall,” he said as they stood in front of the pond. The back of the pond was designed to be part of the back wall of the green house. Water came cascading down the wall, sluicing down over a man-made rock face collecting in the pond below. “Ferns?” Ray asked as he admired the feathery leaves.

“You know plants?” Gus asked.

“Not really, but my dads took us to Hawaii a long time ago and I remember going to this place that’s famous for the ferns.”

“I think that’s where my dad got the idea.”

“Well, he got it right. And water lilies,” Ray said as he looked into the pond. Small koi were leisurely swimming around precisely placed rocks and plants. “Your dad is an artist.”

“You mean Justin, right?”

“No, I mean your Pop. I’ve gone to several botanical gardens on school trips. I always thought they were so cool. They’re like a green paradise surrounded by concrete. It takes talent to put together a grouping of different species of plants and make it look like they belong together.”

Gus sat on the rocks that his dad specifically placed in a random pattern around the pond but on purpose so that a visitor had somewhere to sit and think.

“Your insight amazes me,” Gus said in awe. “How come you’re so smart?” Gus asked with a smile.

“Oh, I don’t know, just lucky I guess,” Ray teased, leaning down for a kiss.

“I’m the lucky one,” Gus said as he leaned up, meeting Ray’s lips. “Have you ever made love among the ferns?”

“Unh unh.”

“Wanna give it a try?”

“Uh huh.”

“See, you are so damn smart,” Gus cooed as they found a secluded spot amongst the ferns.



*****



Brian was still feeling distracted but after some carefully chosen words from Emmett, the words being, “Get your fucking head out of your fucking ass,” said with a smile of course, Brian made a concerted effort to be an attentive host. He could feel several eyes following him around the yard and gardens as he hobbled through. It was almost time for the second round of grilling to begin so Brian decided to be helpful and bring out a tray of marinating meat and vegetables. His head was in the refrigerator, hands on a tray when a familiar and harsh voice startled the hell out of him.

“What the fuck did you do to Michael!” Debbie shrieked at Brian. Brian started, almost dropping the heavy tray. He whirled around managing to get the tray on the counter but not before hooking his walking boot on a stool. He lost his balance, going down hard onto the floor, his hands scraped against the tiles as his head banged against the refrigerator. He saw stars as Debbie gasped and tried to help Brian up.

“Here, let me help you,” Debbie cried as she reached down toward Brian who was trying to clear his head.

“Overweight middle-aged old women should mind their own business,” Brian spat out the unforgivable in a scathing growl. The slap across his cheek made his ears ring.

“How dare you!” Debbie said low and with so much anger her face was as red as her hair.

Brian stayed on the floor, not knowing what to do or say or how to beg forgiveness. A single tear slowly slid down his face. Debbie gasped and her face immediately softened.

“Honey, what is it? I haven’t seen you like this since, since...oh my god! The cancer, it’s back?” Brian shook his head. “Then what, sweetheart?” Debbie managed to slither down the refrigerator to sit next to her first lost boy. “What has gotten you so worked up?”

“Justin,” Brian whispered. He wanted to tell Deb about Michael as well, to get it all off his chest but a promise is a promise.

“Sunshine? What’s wrong with my Sunshine?”

“I don’t know how to help him,” Brian said so pitifully. Brian closed his eyes then with some effort he revealed all his fears and concerns about Justin to the woman he considered his mother when he was a teen.

“Oh honey,” Deb said as she wrapped her arms around him. “Justin will get through this, you know he will.”

“But he hurts and I don’t know what to do.”

“Didn’t the doctor order something...?”

“Not that kind of hurt,” Brian murmured. “It’s like he’s reliving the bashing all over again.”

“But he fought back so hard when that happened.”

“But now he’s remembering.”

“He remembers the prom?”

“No, he’s remembering the anger, his behavior afterwards, his frustration and the pain. He cries himself to sleep, cursing himself for scaring his mother and his sister. He’s so frightened that he’ll do something to Bree that he keeps pushing her away. A trick he learned from me.”

“Sweetheart,” Debbie began but Brian waved her off.

“I hired a private therapist.”

“I met him. He seems like a good man. Bobby can’t say enough good things about him and Drew says he’s the best.”

“Yes, he is, but even he’s having difficulty motivating Justin. It’s like he’s punishing himself for his past bad behavior.”

“Even if his behavior was bad, he was just a kid. A kid who almost died at the hands of that homophobic criminal. No one, least of all Jennifer, can blame him.”

“Doesn’t matter, he blames himself. His arm and hand are getting stronger, but you’d never know by the way he’s behaving.”

“Brian, you might not like this but maybe you should take him to a doctor.”

“We just saw the orthopedist.”

“That’s not the kind of doctor I mean.”

“He won’t go.”

“He will if you insist.”

“This isn’t the time for this.”

“I know that, and you have a yard full of hungry people out there. We should table this discussion for a more appropriate time.” Brian leaned back to look into Debbie’s eyes. “Hey, I know how to speak, I just choose to speak a little more colorfully than most. But never mind about all that, we have a more serious problem on our hands at the moment.”

“More important?”

“Yeah, like how the fuck are we going to get up off this floor?” Debbie asked in frustration. Brian gaped at her then cracked up in wild laughter. After a few hysterical moments he leaned against her resting his head on her shoulder. Debbie heard a few muted sniffles. “It’ll be all right, kiddo,” she whispered as she took Brian’s hand. “I promise, everything will be all right.”



*****



A few minutes later Brian had recovered his equilibrium, and Debbie was truly sorry for having struck her lost boy in the heat of anger. They were still on the kitchen floor wondering what was the best way to get up.

“I can probably manage to get on my knees and then maybe onto my good foot,” Brian suggested.

“You won’t do more damage to the bad leg, will you?” Debbie asked.

“Unknown,” Brian replied.

“I guess I could roll over and you could push my fat ass up from behind. I could probably get vertical from there, but my fucking knees ain’t what they used to be.”

“I have a better idea,” Brian said with a sudden smirk.

“And what the fuck might that be?”

“Well, we could yell at the top of our lungs,” Brian offered with his tongue planted in his cheek.

“And have every fag in the county come running to see this overweight middle-aged woman stuck on the floor. I don’t fucking think so,” Debbie declared.

Brian snorted. “Then scoot over.”

“Huh?”

“Move over so I can open the fridge door.”

“What the fuck for? Is there a lift inside?”

“Not that I’m aware of,” Brian said turning himself around. When Debbie finally moved, he was able to open the fridge door. “Aha!” he said triumphantly.

“What?”

“Beer.”

“Beer?”

“Yes, liquid gold. This will tide us over until help comes.”

“You’re certifiable,” Debbie said, but she took the bottle that Brian opened for her.

“Here’s to rescuers in whatever form they may appear,” Brian said tapping his bottle against Debbie’s.

It was Debbie’s turn to snort, but it didn’t stop her from taking a pull on the bottle. “You know,” she said thoughtfully, “this reminds me of that time I came to the loft when you had lost everything.”

“With a fucking tuna casserole,” Brian reminded her before taking a long pull on his bottle of beer.

“You love my tuna casserole.”

“Yeah, I do,” Brian admitted. It was easier than arguing.

“I could use one of those joints along about now. This fucking floor is damn hard.”

“If I had a cushion I’d give it to you.”

“How sweet!” Debbie said sarcastically, but her hand caressed Brian’s cheek belying her tone and words.

“I’ve been told I’m very sweet … when I want to be,” Brian said smugly.

“Ain’t that the fucking truth! You have a heart as big as … Michael’s.”

Brian groaned inwardly. Why did she have to think of that? He decided that silence might be the better part of valor.

After a minute or so of silence Debbie said, “Is he all right, Brian?”

Brian knew who she was talking about. “You need to talk to your son … when he’s ready to talk,” Brian advised. That was all he could advise, all he could reveal.

Debbie stared off into space before taking a drink of her beer, adjusting her tits and turning to look at Brian. “He’ll be fine. I know he will. He’s my son. He’s strong.”

“Yes he is,” Brian agreed.

“You’re not going to tell me why he’s not here, are you?”

“No I’m not.”

“Fuck! Sometimes that code of ethics of yours is fucking annoying.”

“What code of ethics? I have no such thing. I don’t believe in ethics.”

“Delude yourself if you want, but everyone knows that you can be relied upon to keep a secret, to help when help is needed, to…”

“Enough! If I could help us get off this fucking floor, I would,” Brian stated. “As for ethics…” Brian made a face.

“I’m onto you, Brian Kinney, just like that little blond twink was onto you.”

They both stopped talking and thought about Justin for a couple of minutes. Neither knew what to say.

“That joint really would come in handy,” Debbie said finally. Brian nodded. “He’s going to be just fine too, like my Michael. He’s strong like my Michael.”

“Yeah, strong,” Brian said finishing off his beer. He turned around to get another pair of beers out of the refrigerator. He opened both bottles.

“Thanks,” Debbie said. “Maybe after another four or five of these my ass will be numb.”

Brian laughed heartily. Debbie always knew what to say even when it was totally inappropriate.

“Do you think they’ve all gone home and forgot about us?” Debbie asked. It had been too long a time for a woman of her age to be sitting on the floor, especially uncarpeted floor.

“This is my home. Justin’s too. He can’t go anywhere else,” Brian informed her. “He is home.”

“I bet they’re all out there eating and laughing.”

“And you’re in here drinking and grouching with me.”

“I could do worse.”

“Yeah, and what would that be?”

“The fridge could have been empty of beer.”

“But you could also have done better,” Brian said.

“Yeah, how?”

“I could have had a stash under the sink.”

Debbie burst out laughing. “Yeah, that would have been better, but I don’t think I’d care to explain when they found us.”

“If they found us…”

“When they find us,” Debbie amended.

“They’re going to need that meat eventually,” Brian said looking up at the tray perched on the edge of the counter.

“You almost dumped it all over the kitchen.”

“But I didn’t. Good coordination,” Brian bragged.

“Riiight! That’s why you have a broken ankle and we’re stuck on the floor.”

Brian made a face. He was about to retort when a little voice said, “Dada, what are you and Gamma Debbie doing?”

“Bree!” Brian responded.

“Thank God,” Debbie said.

“Bree, I need you to do something really important for me,” Brian began.

“What, Dada?”

“Go find Mr. Gerry and tell him I need him.”

“’Kay, Dada.”

“And don’t tell anyone else.”

“’Kay, Dada.”

“Not even Daddy.”

“’Kay, Dada.”

“And…”

“For fuck’s sake let her go,” Debbie interrupted.

“Go,” Brian said, and Bree ran out of the kitchen.

She returned quickly with Gerry and Todd who were able to get the two back on their feet. Brian was considerably easier than Debbie, although both of them swore loudly, and then swore their rescuers to secrecy. Brian decided to send Todd out with the tray of meat. He wasn’t going to take any more chances.

“Dada, what were you and Gamma Debbie doing on the floor?” Bree asked.

“Um, we just had a couple of beers and reminisced about old times.”

“Wouldn’t it be better to sit on a chair to do that?” she asked innocently.

“I’ll remember that for future reference,” Brian said as Gerry finished looking at his foot. He didn’t seem to have done any further damage to himself.

“Good, Dada.” Bree got the last word as usual.

Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Glass Houses

Chapter 13






“Where have you two been?” Debbie asked Gus and Ray as they came to the table with two loaded plates. The boys dug in as if they hadn’t eaten in years. Their botanical activities had left them ravenous.

“Ummm,” Gus murmured around a hamburger. Ray blushed as he took a sip of iced tea.

“Uh huh,” Debbie said with a knowing smirk. She reached over to swipe a small bit of fern off of Gus’ shoulder. “Don’t let your father know that you’ve been playing hide the sausage in his greenhouse,” she snarked.

“Grandmaw!” Gus yelled with wide eyes. Debbie cackled as Ray hid his face in Gus’ back.

“Don’t do the crime if you can’t stand the heat or some shit like that,” Debbie teased.

“Leave them alone, Maw,” Brian drawled as he walked over holding a plate of salad. “Boys will be boys,” he said as he sat, suddenly ravenous himself after his emotional ordeal.

“You know where they’ve been fu...” Debbie began.

“Gamma Debbie, we’re going to have fireworks!” Bree saved the day as she scurried over with JR and Candy in tow. Debbie scooted over on her bench to make room for the girls. She was delighted to see how well Bree got along with the older girls.

Richie came over holding a pitcher of lemonade to refill glasses as needed. “Thank you, honey,” Debbie said to the young man who was dressed a bit androgynously with just a touch of makeup. He was in stark contrast to Candy in her heavy black Goth look but they certainly didn’t mind nor did the rest of their patchwork family. Richie sat next to Candy who smiled lovingly at him.

“So what are you kids all doing for the summer?” Debbie inquired, looking at each child.

“Working with Uncle John!” Gus said proudly as he scarfed down a hotdog.

“You won’t be working anywhere if you choke. Slow down, Sonny Boy, there’s plenty,” Brian commanded with an arch of his brow. Gus nodded, taking a breath before reaching for his other hotdog.

“I’m working at the store!” JR announced with much pride.

“And I hear you’re doing a fabulous job,” Debbie announced. “But, honey, remember to take time to enjoy yourself. Don’t waste the whole summer working,” Debbie said, punctuating her thoughts with a pointed finger.

“I won’t. But I really love working at the store and I get to meet all sorts of people.”

“Just be careful. You’re still a kid,” Debbie warned. JR nodded, the adults in her life never let her forget that she was still just a kid.

“Deb, some kids just grow up faster than others,” Brian added. JR knew that Brian was pretty self sufficient when he was JR’s age.

“But that’s out of necessity,” Debbie reminded him. Brian nodded in agreement. JR’s circumstances were vastly different from Brian’s humble beginnings.

“Daddy has a lot of nice people to help me and Grandpa has been spending time there too,” JR explained.

“Well, in that case,” Debbie acquiesced just a little.

“I’m going to intern for Bobby this summer,” Ray said with a handsome smile. “I really liked it last year and I learned so much.”

“Well, good for you. I bet your dads are so proud,” Debbie said. Ray smiled brighter.

“Miss Bree, are you going to camp this year?” Debbie asked. She saw Bree’s eyes light up and her pigtails bounced wildly as she nodded vigorously.

“Me and Patrick are going to day camp but not right now. I have to help my daddies with their exercises,” Bree said as she gave her Dada a look.

“She’s been a great therapy assistant,” Brian admitted as he looked across the garden for his partner, Bree’s other patient.

“Uncle Bri,” JR said, “Uncle Justin and Uncle John took mommy to the new house. I think mommy wants to spend some time here,” she said having seen the concerned look on her uncle’s face when he couldn’t locate Justin. JR knew she was right when Brian visibly relaxed.

“What about you, Candy? Any plans for the summer?” Debbie asked the newest member of the family.

“Drawing and painting. I’m taking lessons at the GLC. The center gets these great guest artists. I’m learning so much,” she said with a big smile.

“That’s wonderful, sweetheart!” Debbie sincerely gushed. “And you, honey? Are you doing anything special this summer,” Deb asked Richie.

“Emm introduced me to the owners of Torso and they’ve allowed me to sell some of my clothes on consignment,” Richie said shyly.

“Honey!” Debbie jumped up, ignoring the slight ache in her back from her earlier exploits on Brian’s kitchen floor, to give the boy a hug.

“Deb! Deb! He’s turning blue, not a good look for him,” Brian snarked as he gently tried to disengage Debbie’s arms from around the thin young man.

“Oh shut up,” Debbie growled at Brian as she loosened her grip on Richie but not the hug. “I’m just so proud of all my kids.”



*****



The day wore on and the sun gradually lowered in the sky. Some of the kids, mostly Bree, were getting antsy about the fireworks. They could hardly wait. Darkness was still quite a ways away.

John noticed that JR was sitting on the swing all by herself. He walked over to her. “Need a push, little lady?” he asked.

“No, I’m just thinking.”

“A little fresh air clears the head,” John advised as he gave her a gentle shove sending her forward a bit.

JR let herself be pushed higher and higher for a couple of minutes. “I still love this swing,” she said as John let her come back down lower.

“I’m glad. Some things shouldn’t be forgotten as we get older.”

“Not old enough,” JR muttered.

“What was that?” John asked realizing that they might be getting to the heart of the matter.

“Everybody treats me like a kid,” JR vented, “and I’m sick of it.”

“Do I treat you like a kid?” John asked.

“No, other than pushing me on the swing … which I still like,” JR said with a smile for her uncle.

“So what’s the problem?”

“I like running the store for my dad, but everyone thinks I’m too young to do it alone, and I don’t want to go to college. I just want to run the store, and I’m really good at it too.”

“I’ve heard that you are.”

“You have?”

“You may think nobody notices, but Michael, Ben, Danny, and Debbie have all commented on what a great job you do at the store. Brian said you had some great ideas for marketing it too.”

“Really?”

“Yes,” John said honestly.

“Tha…That’s great,” JR replied, somewhat stunned to hear this. “So, I don’t really need to go to college,” she said triumphantly.

“I didn’t say that.”

“You’re going to take their side too, aren’t you?” JR accused.

“I’m not taking anyone’s side.” JR screwed up her face. “I think you should do both,” John advised her.

“Both what?” JR asked with a frown.

“Run the store and go to college.”

“How can I do that?”

“Ray’s doing it. He works with his father and he goes to school. He’s decided he wants to be a lawyer instead of just working in real estate with his father. He wouldn’t have known that if he didn’t take the opportunities offered to him. He loves working with Bobby.”

“Oh.”

“You should take advantage of all the opportunities that come your way. You may find something you love even more than the comic book store if you go to college.” JR shook her head in denial. “Or, if you don’t, you can learn how to handle the media empire that you’ll create with all your talent and brains.”

JR beamed at him. “How do you always know just the right thing to say?” she asked.

“I do have my PhD, you know” John replied with a Kinney smirk.

JR burst out laughing.



*****



“Hey, kiddo,” Debbie said as she plopped down beside Justin in a lawn chair. He appeared to be watching the soccer game that some of the guests were involved in. Bree was showing off her soccer prowess, and some of the kids of the workmen were giving her a run for her money. It kept her occupied until the fireworks would begin. Debbie had waited till Justin was alone, wanting to speak to him since Brian’s upsetting revelations.

“Hey, Deb,” Justin replied distractedly. He certainly wasn’t concentrating on the game, Debbie noted.

“How ya doing?” she asked.

“Not too bad,” Justin replied. He wasn’t prepared to reveal anything about what was going on. He could barely deal with it himself. He didn’t want Debbie thrown into the mix.

Debbie studied Justin for a minute. She could see the worry in his eyes. Things were definitely not good with her Sunshine. “He’s worried about you.”

“Huh?”

“Brian’s worried about you.”

“Has he been spilling our private business to everyone?” Justin accused.

“No, honey, he just needed to get it off his chest.”

“Fuck!” Justin muttered.

“You don’t have to talk to me about it,” Debbie said softly. “I know it’s private, and I don’t know all the details…”

“But…?” Justin said knowing there was more to come.

“But you should talk to someone.”

“Like who?” Justin asked looking into her eyes.

“Whoever you feel comfortable talking to … a professional.”

“A shrink?” Justin asked in horror.

“If that would work for you.”

“Well it doesn’t work for me,” Justin declared.

“Then someone else,” Debbie said. “You’ll explode if you don’t let it out.”

“How…how would you know?”

“I know, believe me. I’ve lashed out enough times when I was confused and worried and upset.” She thought about the slap in the kitchen and shuddered. “More than once Brian has taken the brunt of it.”

“I…I’m not lashing out.”

“There are different ways of lashing out, Sunshine. Just think about getting some help.” Debbie stood up. “I think it’s almost time for the fireworks.”

Justin barely heard her. He was dealing with his own internal fireworks. He had a lot to think about.



*****



The sun finally set low enough in the horizon so that the fireworks show could begin. Ralph and his crew had helped to set up several viewing areas where the guests could get the full effect of the show and stay well out of the ‘blast’ site. Debbie and Carl chose to watch the show from the comfort of the sun porch. Bree, although very excited to watch her very own personal fireworks show, decided to also watch it from the sun porch safely nestled between her fathers.

Ralph and his men had set up huge speakers connected to the computer that would guide the display. Gus had been helpful to Ralph and his men since he knew the terrain, so Ralph had let Gus in on some of the ‘family’ secrets of coordinating the music with the fireworks. Special permits had to be obtained from the town even though the display was going to be done on private land. The town elders had asked if Ralph wouldn’t mind setting something up for their little village, for a fee of course. So Ralph assigned some of his men to oblige them.

With their emergency fire suppression equipment at the ready, Ralph began the show.

Candy wanted to watch from the meadow. Lindsay, JR, and Richie sat with her adding their support. Gus and Ray lent their support as well. Ray was enjoying his time with his ‘sisters’ having grown up with only a brother. He found the girls fun and amusing especially when JR mercilessly teased Gus and Gus took it. Patrick and his dads, as well as many of John’s men and their families, were watching from the meadow.

“Oh!” Debbie exclaimed as the national anthem began and the first rockets were launched into the sky bursting into red, white and blue stars. Carl grabbed her hand, silent tears of pride streamed down his face. He had served his country as a young man before serving his city as a cop.

The volume increased as the recognizable music of John Philip Sousa filled the countryside. Ralph smiled to himself as he heard the guests gasp, ooo and ahh with amazement and appreciation as more rockets shot up and exploded into elaborate floral patterns.

Bree excitedly stomped her little feet as she grabbed onto her fathers’ hands. She laughed with such innocence and glee that her fathers and everyone around her couldn’t help but smile. Justin looked over Bree’s head to gaze into Brian’s eyes. Brian leaned down to kiss Justin’s sweet lips; love and concern filled the dark hazel eyes. As if will alone could work miracles, Brian silently pleaded with his spouse. Justin nodded, sitting up straighter, flexing his left hand. He pulled an exercise ball out of his pocket and as he watched the display, Justin did his prescribed exercises.

“Is there anything that man can’t do or arrange?” Gerry asked Todd. They had strolled into the greenhouse and decided to watch the show from there. Sitting on one of the benches, they had a clear view of the sky through the glass roof of the greenhouse.

“Who, Brian?” Todd asked. Gerry nodded. A loud ‘boom’ overhead brought their attention back to the fireworks. They unconsciously oooed and aahhed just like everyone else.

“He does seem to know how to get things done,” Todd said.

“How did you meet him?” Gerry asked innocently not knowing Todd’s interesting past.

“I, uh…” Todd blushed then took a large breath before being honest with Gerry. He prayed that whatever chance he might have had with the handsome therapist wasn’t going to be squashed by his revelations.

“Guys really did that?” Gerry asked amazed.

“Yeah they did, still do, as far I know. Clubbing and tricking is a way of life for some of us but eventually I grew up. We all did.”

“And Brian, did he go clubbing?”

Todd burst out laughing. “He used to be called the Stud of Liberty Avenue, if that gives you any idea. Every man wanted him and he went through them like a hot knife through butter. Never the same trick twice until he met the trick that never went away.” Todd chuckled as he retold the legendary story that most of the gay world of Pittsburgh knew.

“That’s not the man who I saw make breakfast for his family, comb his daughter’s hair and move heaven and earth so that he could hire me to treat his partner,” Gerry said incredulously. Todd chuckled.

“True. He’s a brilliant businessman; he knows how to get things done and how to motivate his employees and his friends. You know Emmett’s bistro?” Todd asked. Gerry nodded. “Emmett said that if it wasn’t for Brian he never would have gotten it off the ground. I have to admit, that I would have never attempted such a large endeavor as the garden center before I hooked up with Brian. If it wasn’t for him and his tenacity, I would have given up. But he believed in me and instilled such confidence that I wanted to succeed. Don’t get me wrong, he can be a bastard sometimes but he stood by me all the way.”

Gerry nodded. “He does have the power of persuasion, and he seems to be a loyal friend.”

“Very, but don’t cross him, and God forbid you should do something to hurt any of his family. I’ve heard he can be brutal. But he’d do anything for you and he loves his family.”

“I can tell.”

They watched the rest of the show in silence as the music signaled its closure with “God Bless America,” as the last of the rockets were shot into the air exploding into a crescendo of color and sparkle.

“Um, Todd, I never...” Gerry said softly as he subtly leaned toward the cute landscaper.

“It’s been a very long time for me; I don’t want to fuck this up. But I’m very attracted to you,” Todd whispered as he leaned in closer to the handsome therapist, staring at Gerry’s full lips. “Will you punch me if I kiss you?” Todd murmured. Gerry shook his head. Todd leaned up letting his lips lead the way.

Gingerly their lips touched igniting their own set of fireworks.

“Wow!” Gerry exclaimed.

“Oh yeah, wow!” Todd agreed as they gazed into each other’s eyes then kissed again with more confidence.

“I like it,” Gerry murmured.

“Me too,” Todd responded.

And the fireworks continued.



*****



“Someone is very tired.” Justin smiled as he looked down at the sleepy child in his arms.

The boys were still sitting in the porch as Ralph and his crew began the clean up. John and his men began to clean up the gardens while Emmett and his boys started on the kitchen.

“It’s difficult work being hostess,” Brian said as he caressed his daughter’s strawberry blonde hair.

“I’ll take her, Pop!” Gus volunteered. Brian didn’t need the additional weight on his leg although Bree weighed next to nothing. Justin wasn’t allowed to lift just yet.

“Thank you, Sonny Boy,” Brian said with appreciation. Brian kissed the sleepy child in Gus’ arms before he turned to take Bree to her room. Justin went with them.

“Thank you!” Candy cried out as she ran into the sun porch and threw her arms around Brian. “It was so beautiful,” she said as she hugged the man. “My mom and me...” Candy tried to explain to Brian all that she felt but couldn’t.

“Shh,” Brian whispered as he just held on tight and let Candy get it all out. The family left the porch to give them privacy.

“Will she be all right?” Debbie asked Lindsay as they all went into the kitchen to help Emm and his boys with the clean up.

“I’m sure she will be. Apparently, Janet had taken Candy to Fourth of July fireworks ever since she was a baby. It was a tradition of theirs. I mentioned it to Brian.”

“And he took it and ran,” Debbie finished Lindsay’s thought. “I guess it helped that Briana had the same request.”

“And my Drewsie knew just who to turn to,” Emmett gushed.

“Yes, he did,” Brian agreed as he limped inside with Candy’s arm still wrapped around his waist. Brian extended his hand toward Drew and they shook hands. “You’re the man of the hour,” Brian praised Drew. Emmett quickly wiped his wet hands on a towel then threw himself at his spouse to give him a kiss. The family chuckled as the big tough retired football star melted under the attention.

“Thank you, Mr. Drew,” Candy said shyly.

“You’re quite welcome,” Drew said with a blush to his cheeks.

As Ralph came into the kitchen to say goodbye to the family, several of John’s men and their families were ready to head out as well. Brian, John and Bobby walked their guests out to say goodnight.

“You did an excellent job, Ralph,” Drew said as he clapped the man on the back.

“You made a lot of children very happy,” John added as he shook the fireworks expert’s hand.

“It was all right,” Brian said as he also shook hands with Ralph and included a check for services rendered.

“Happy to oblige. And I’ll pencil you in for next year.” He winked at Drew as he climbed into his truck; his men piled in as he slowly drove down the lane. A caravan of other guests and family were also making their way down the lane behind them.



*****



It was relatively early considering that some of the other Edna’s Treasure soirées continued well into the night. Emmett and his boys took Ted and Allen with them down the lane. They escorted Lindsay and the girls to Molly’s cottage. Danny and Riley went back to their cottage. Debbie used the excuse of needing coffee to lag behind at the cottage.

“No,” Brian said sternly as he slid a cup of coffee toward Debbie.

“Honey, you know something and I have a right to know. I’m his mother!”

“Deb, I promised.”

“To hell with your promise,” Deb said with some restraint. She knew Bree was in bed asleep.

“When they’re ready to tell you they will.”

“So you admit that there is something to tell.”

“Yes.”

“He’s...oh my God, he’s not...!” Debbie made the assumption and her hand went to her chest.

“No, he’s not,” Brian put down his cup to hug her. “I don’t know all the details, but Ben promised me that as soon as Michael is up to facing you they’re going to explain everything. It’s one of the reasons why John and his men have been working non-stop on the new cottage. Ben is going to take time off and bring Michael here.”

Debbie burst into tears. “My baby,” she cried in Brian’s arms. “I lost my brother, I can’t lose my baby.”

“You won’t lose him. Mikey’s too pig headed to go anywhere fast. He just needs a little rest.”

“And I’ll make sure he’s going to get it, even if it kills me!” Debbie said determinedly.

“That’s the last thing he needs and you know it.”

“Brian Kinney, I am his mother.” She pointed at Brian.

“Like I don’t know that?! You start interfering and Ben will take Michael away.”

“He wouldn’t dare!”

“Debbie, Ben loves Michael just as much if not more than you do. He would do anything to protect him and you know it.”

“Well...”

“Just leave it alone until they talk to you. I’m sure it will be soon.”

“You’re sure?”

“Yes. Now, I’m beat. My fucking foot hurts and I haven’t gotten laid today. I’m going to walk you home to that roving motel of yours so I can go to bed, fuck my partner into oblivion and rest my foot.”

“At least you have your priorities straight.”

“They’re the only straight thing about me,” Brian snarked as he steered the woman out the door and down the lane toward the RV. As they slowly strolled the lane, a lone car made its way up the lane toward them. They watched it park and two people get out.

“Who the fuck is that?” Debbie asked in a low voice.

“Not a fucking clue,” Brian replied.

“Kinney! Where the fuck is my son?!” A shrill voice shattered the night time quiet of the lane.

“Melanie,” Brian and Debbie groaned.

“Best laid plans, kiddo.”

“Yeah.”

They both sighed as they turned to face the music.

-TBC-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1398