Kidnapped! by Thyme
Summary:

 

Gus is kidnapped.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: Kidnapped Series
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 19117 Read: 15723 Published: Jan 02, 2019 Updated: Jan 02, 2019

1. Chapter 1 by Thyme

2. Chapter 2 by Thyme

3. Chapter 3 by Thyme

4. Chapter 4 by Thyme

5. Chapter 5 by Thyme

6. Chapter 6 by Thyme

7. Chapter 7 by Thyme

8. Chapter 8 by Thyme

9. Chapter 9 by Thyme

10. Chapter 10 by Thyme

11. Chapter 11 by Thyme

Chapter 1 by Thyme
Author's Notes:

Thanks Margaret for the plot bunny!





Kidnapped!

" 1 "

Brian and Justin walked through the park, each holding one of Gus' hands. The little boy was singing happily to himself. He loved being out with his father and Justin. The big boys were discussing where they would go for dinner since Gus would be spending the night with them at the loft. It wasn't always easy to find a restaurant that Brian liked that would tolerate a four year old.

Every once in a while Gus would pull up his feet and hang suspended between the two men. They would swing him back and forth a couple of times eliciting giggles from the little boy. Then they would set him back on his feet. It was one of Gus' favorite games.

As they got near the slides Gus pulled his hand away from his father.

"Slide, Daddy," he said.

"Okay, Sonny Boy, go ahead, but stay in sight."

Justin released Gus' hand and the little boy ran up to the slide quickly climbing to the top of the ladder and sitting down ready to take the plunge.

"Watch, Daddy!" Gus called.

Brian waved and watched as Gus slid down the winding tube and emerged at the bottom. He quickly ran around to the back to climb up once again.

"Why don't we just go to the diner? It's the simplest thing," Justin said.

Brian stood thinking on the pathway. "You just want one of those humungous burgers that have half a cow in them."

"Of course…"

"Look out!" someone shouted.

Justin felt someone elbow him and he was suddenly flat on his back beside the path. A skateboarder was careening away as he looked up.

"Justin," Brian said kneeling beside him. "Are you all right?"

"I … I think so." Justin sat up and looked around.

"Skateboarders should be banned from this park," said a man who had come over to see if Justin was all right.

"Fucking asshole!" Brian reacted as he and the man helped Justin up.

"I'm fine," Justin said brushing himself off. "Just took me by surprise."

"He could have missed you if he'd had any control of that board," the man said.

"I wish he had," Justin replied rubbing his ass. It stung from where he had landed so unceremoniously on the edge of the paved path.

"You have lots of padding, Sunshine," Brian said trying to be light about what had happened.

"If you're all right…" the man who had assisted them said and walked away.

"Thanks," Justin called after him

"You're sure you're okay?" Brian asked still concerned.

"I'm good, but you may have to take it easy on my ass for the next day or two."

"Maybe I can get compensation for loss of conjugal rights," Brian said his tongue firmly in his cheek.

"It's my ass that's suffering, not your dick," Justin retorted continuing to rub the cheek that had taken the brunt of the fall.

"Want to sit down?" Brian asked indicating a nearby bench.

"That's the last thing I want to do."

Brian pulled Justin into his embrace and kissed his cheek. "If I ever see that fucking asshole on the skateboard I'll rip his balls off and sauté them for dinner!"

Justin chuckled and then Brian's mention of dinner reminded him of the diner and then Gus. "Brian, where's Gus?"

"Shit!" Brian said looking over to the slide. There was no sign of Gus. "Gus!" Brian called. "Gus!" No one responded to his calls. "Oh fuck, Gus, where are you?"

Brian and Justin rushed over to the slides. Frantically they looked all around the area but there was no sign of the little boy. They ran around asking any and all if they had seen the little boy in a brown jacket. Justin forgot about his sore ass as they raced around all the playground equipment looking for Gus, and asking the few children who were playing if they had seen him.

"Fuck, Justin! He's gone! Where could he be?"

"I don't know," Justin frowned.

"What are we going to do? It's not like Gus to wander off."

"Call 911, Brian. If he wandered away we need to get the police looking for him immediately."

"Gus wouldn't just wander off. He knows better than that," Brian said, but he pulled out his cell phone and called the police anyway. While he talked to someone, Justin continued looking around the park asking people if they had seen Gus.

Very quickly a squad car pulled up to the park and two officers got out. Brian and Justin rushed over to them.

"My son's missing. He was on the slide and then he was just … gone," Brian said the fear evident in his voice.

"Calm down, sir," the officer said. "How long ago did this happen?"

"Maybe fifteen minutes," Justin said looking at his watch.

"Tell me what happened."

"We were walking in the park, and Gus saw the slides. We let him run over there and told him to stay in sight. Then a skateboarder knocked me down, and by the time Brian helped me up, Gus was gone."

"Your name is?" the officer asked.

"Justin Taylor. This is Brian Kinney. Gus Peterson-Marcus is the boy who's missing."

"That's a lot of names."

"Gus lives with his mothers, but Brian is the biological father, and we had him for the day," Justin explained.

"Would you have a picture of the little boy?" the officer asked.

Brian searched through his wallet and pulled out the most recent photo. "What are you going to do?" Brian asked his voice breaking. "We have to find him."

"We'll talk to people in the park," the officer said. "My partner is calling for a detective to come and speak with you."

"Can you hurry? We've already asked everyone and nobody's seen him," Brian said frowning. "The more time that passes the farther away he could be."

"We're following procedure," the officer told him.

"Fuck procedure!" Brian cried and turned away as the tears built behind his eyes. Gus had to be found, and soon. He had to be all right. He had to!

"Brian," Justin said softly holding on to Brian's arm. "They're doing their job. They'll find him."

"You don't fucking know that! What if somebody took him? What if we never see him again?" Brian's shoulders shook with the pent up emotion.

"Don't think like that. They'll find him. I know they will."

Brian turned and allowed Justin to take him in his arms. He was so fucking scared. Gus had to be all right.

"Mr. Kinney," a voice said. "I'm Detective Margaret Lopez. I need to talk to you."

Brian took a deep breath and turned to the policewoman. "What do you need to know?"

The next ten minutes were spent retelling the story of how Gus had disappeared. The other two officers were out canvassing the park and the street across from the park. Justin felt like a fifth wheel but he stayed by Brian's side holding his hand and offering strength in any way that he could.

Suddenly one of the officers came running up. "There's a street person across the way," he said pointing to the street opposite the slides. "She says she saw this little boy being carried from the park and shoved into an SUV. She says the boy was crying and struggling."

"Gus…" Brian said letting the word hang in the air.

"Bring her over here," Detective Lopez ordered.

"I tried, but she refuses to move from her spot."

"Okay, stay here," she said to Brian. "I'll go talk to her. Give me the picture."

She was gone for several minutes while Brian paced and tried to breathe. Justin watched him afraid he might have a heart attack at any minute.

When Detective Lopez returned she looked subdued. "It's hard to know how much of what she says can be believed, but she says this is the boy she saw being stuffed into the SUV." She extended the photo towards Brian.

"Gus," was all he could say.

"It looks like a kidnapping."

"No," Brian cried. "Why? Why would anyone want to do that?"

"Do you have money, Mr. Kinney?" she asked.

"Some," Brian said slowly. "You think they want money?"

"That's usually the way it works."

Brian shook his head. "This can't be happening."

"Do you have any enemies?"

Brian looked up in surprise. "I … I don't know," he stammered trying to think of how to answer that question, thinking of people who might want to hurt him. "I can't imagine anyone I know doing this." He ran his hand through his hair.

"Well, you need to think about that," the detective replied seriously.

"But what can we do?" Brian asked. He felt Justin squeeze his hand and was very grateful to have the young man to lean on. He was sure he would be a raving lunatic right now without Justin's steadying influence.

"I think you should go home. If they are going to contact you, it will be at home, and you need to be there."

"But…" Brian began. "Gus lives with his mothers. Wouldn't they call there?"

"This whole situation is complicated," the detective responded. "Until we hear from the kidnappers we won't know what or who we are dealing with."

"They could call either place, or Mel's."

"Who is Mel?"

"Gus' other mother. She and Lindsay are split at the moment. They could call her."

"I suppose," the detective admitted. "Why don't you go inform the mothers and then go to your own home? We probably won't hear anything for several hours. We'll set up surveillance and monitor the phones at both sites."

"Isn't there something else we can do … besides wait?" Brian asked frustrated.

"I'm afraid not."

"Okay, but he fucking has to be found," Brian said dreading telling Lindsay what had happened. And Mel would positively assassinate him. He sighed. "Come on, Justin let's go get this over with."

Justin gave the cop the necessary addresses and asked her to keep them informed. Then he took Brian's hand and they headed for the Corvette. Brian handed the keys to Justin knowing he was in no shape to drive. When they climbed in, Brian turned and looked at the empty child's seat in the back. Justin watched as Brian's shoulders started to shake and the man's face contorted in grief.

"We'll get him back, Brian," Justin said gently taking Brian in his arms.

"What the fuck am I going to do if we don't?"

Chapter 2 by Thyme

 

Kidnapped!

" 2 "

The Corvette pulled up in front of Mel and Lindsay's old house. Mel lived there by herself now with Jenny Rebecca. Lindsay and Gus had moved to an apartment not far away. Brian knew that both women would be there. Gus had had lunch with them and the baby before Brian and Justin had picked him up earlier in the day. Lindsay had stayed on to spend time with Jenny Rebecca. She and Mel were still talking but so far there was no reconciliation in sight.

"How the fuck am I going to tell them?" Brian asked as he stared at the door with trepidation.

"You're just going to have to say it. I'll be with you," Justin told him lacing his fingers through Brian's.

"I don't know if I can do this. I don't want it to be true."

"I know. I don't either."

Brian let out a long breath. "Let's get this the fuck over with," Brian said with an unsteady voice, as he steeled himself for the onslaught he knew would be coming once they went inside.

They walked slowly up the steps and Brian rang the bell. Lindsay answered the door surprised to see them standing there.

"Did you forget something?" she asked looking out at the Corvette. "Did you leave Gus in the car?" she said with a frown.

Brian shook his head. "We need to come in. I have something to tell you."

"You're scaring me, Brian. Where's Gus?"

"Let us in and I'll explain," Brian said taking her arm and half shoving her towards the living room.

Just then Melanie came down the stairs having put Jenny down for a nap. "What the fuck are you two doing back here?"

"Something's happened," Brian stated.

"Oh my God," Lindsay gasped. "Is Gus hurt? Was there an accident?"

Brian shook his head. "No, no accident."

"For fuck's sake, Brian, what's going on?" Lindsay demanded.

"Somebody grabbed Gus at the park."

"Grabbed…" Lindsay said looking confused.

"What the hell does that mean?" Melanie snarled.

"Somebody took Gus from the park," Brian said slowly.

"Took … as in kidnapped?" Melanie asked her voice rising.

Lindsay moaned and Brian saw her crumple and caught her, lowering her gently into a chair. "Brian, oh no, Brian," she moaned.

"How the fuck could you let this happen?" Melanie demanded.

"We didn't let it happen," Justin said feeling he had to defend their actions.

"What happened?" Lindsay whispered. "Where is he?"

"I don't know, Lindz. I'm so sorry," Brian whispered back kneeling beside her and taking her hands which were suddenly cold in his own.

"What happened?" she asked her voice hardly above a whisper.

"He was on the slides and then he was … gone."

"Weren't you fucking watching him?" Melanie shrieked.

"Of course we were," Justin said.

"Then who took him?"

"We … we didn't see what happened," Justin admitted.

"What were you two assholes doing … fucking behind a tree?"

"Mel," Lindsay moaned.

"We were not fucking, and we were watching him," Brian said through gritted teeth.

"Then why the fuck isn't he here with you?" Melanie demanded not willing to give Brian an inch.

"What happened, Brian?" Lindsay asked again wanting to know how her son could have disappeared. Her face was as white as a sheet and her hands were trembling even though Brian was holding on to them tightly.

"We … we were walking in the park, and you know how Gus loves the slides…" Brian began and then his voice kind of gave out as he relived those awful moments.

"Gus ran over to the slide and waved to us from the top," Justin continued the story. "Brian and I were talking on the path when this skateboarder elbowed me and almost mowed me down. He knocked me flat on my ass. By the time Brian and some other man helped me up Gus was gone."

"Just like that? And now Gus is gone and you two are standing here just fucking fine?" Melanie asked bluntly.

"You know, Melanie, sometimes you are a real cunt. We're just as worried as you are. We never meant for this to happen." Justin shook his head in disbelief at her hurtful words.

Melanie glowered at Justin and made some guttural comment that sounded like, "Fucking asshole."

"Brian, why would they take him? What do they want?" Lindsay asked between sobs. She extricated her hand from Brian's and clung to his arm like it might somehow bring her closer to Gus.

"I don't know. The police thought it might be money. They wanted to know if I had money … and enemies."

"Well, you do!" Mel stated bluntly.

"What do you mean?" Brian asked.

"You fucking know! You have your own ad agency and you've screwed half of Pittsburgh both literally and figuratively."

"Fuck you, Mel."

"It's the truth. Remember Kip Thomas and the sexual harassment suit. Stockwell can't be exactly pleased with you either, asshole that you are."

"But you can't seriously think that either of them would take Gus," Justin said.

"Somebody fucking did! Why not them?"

"Mel…"

"I can't believe either Stockwell or Kip would do something as low as this," Brian stated.

"Brian, what are the police doing to get him back?" Lindsay asked shakily.

"I gave them a picture and they have put out some kind of bulletin. I have to go back to the loft and wait for contact from the kidnappers," Brian explained.

"I'm coming with you."

"Maybe you should stay here with Melanie. There's nothing you can do."

"I want to be there. I have to know…"

"Okay, okay," Brian conceded. "You can come with us."

"Are you going to come too, Mel?" Lindsay asked.

"I'll stay here with Jenny Rebecca."

"Of course," Lindsay said abruptly.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Mel demanded.

"Ever since you got your own child, it's like Gus has become a second class son where you are concerned," Lindsay said hoping she didn't sound petty, but knowing it had to be said.

"Fuck you, Lindz. Gus is as much mine as he is yours. Are you saying I don't care?"

"If the shoe fits…" Lindsay said donning her coat in preparation to leave with Brian.

"I can't believe you are fucking talking to me like that."

"Let's go, Brian. Maybe they'll call soon."

"I'll try to get a babysitter and come over later," Melanie said as they marched out the door.

Lindsay rode with Brian in the Corvette and Justin drove Lindsay's car so that it would be at the loft if she needed it. Brian and Lindsay remained silent, each thinking of what they could do to get Gus back and wondering how they would fucking survive if they didn't.

"What are we going to do if…" Lindsay asked as they pulled up to the loft.

"Don't say it. We'll get him back. We have to."

"I'm so scared."

Brian pulled her into a hug. "So am I," he whispered against her hair. They clung to each other praying for the return of their little boy.

After a minute Justin pulled up in Lindsay's car. They all got out and went into the loft building. A few minutes later Detective Lopez arrived. She explained how they were going to tap the phone so they could trace the call if and when it came in. Brian asked about his cell phone and was told that the cell company monitored them. There wasn't much they could do if the people who had Gus decided to go that route. She also asked if Brian had money enough to cover a ransom request. Brian said he could swing a sizeable amount but since it was now Saturday evening he didn't know how he could get money before Monday morning. The detective said she thought the perpetrators would realize that, and therefore, they might not contact Brian until Sunday. That set them all off wondering how they could stand getting through the night without knowing anything.

"Gus will be so scared," Lindsay whispered. "He's never been away from us."

"He's a brave little boy," Justin said quietly.

Brian continued to stare out the loft windows like Gus might appear on the street below at any second. Justin knew Brian was holding on by the thinnest of threads. He stayed away because he was afraid that if he touched the man he would fly into a million pieces right before his eyes.

"Mr. Kinney," Detective Lopez said. Brian turned slowly. "We have the phone monitored, so we're going to leave you alone now. I don't know how long you might have to wait." Brian nodded. "I would also suggest that if you have someone who takes care of your finances, you alert them. We might need the money in a hurry on Monday, so it would be best to be prepared." Brian nodded again. "Here's my cell number. If they use your cell phone to contact you, call me immediately. Better still while you talk to them have someone else call me. I'll answer immediately and we'll be on them that much quicker." Brian nodded once more.

Detective Lopez and the technician made their way to the door. Justin went to see them out. Suddenly Lindsay rushed over.

"You're going to find him, aren't you?" Lindsay asked clinging to the woman's arm. "He's going to be all right? He has to be."

"We'll do our best," the detective replied as she withdrew her arm from Lindsay's grasp and headed to the elevator.

"Oh God, Justin, what are we going to do?" Lindsay said tears springing from her eyes. "What are we going to do?"

Justin hugged her and felt his own tears well up. He glanced over at Brian who stared at them from some place far away. He didn't think he could bear that look in Brian's eyes. He glanced away knowing that Brian didn't even know he was there.


Chapter 3 by Thyme

 

Kidnapped!

" 3 "

Some time later, although they would be hard pressed to know how much time had passed, the buzzer sounded signaling someone's presence at the front door of the building. They all jumped and Lindsay turned even paler than she had been.

Justin went to the intercom and spoke quietly. It was Melanie. He pulled back the loft door as Melanie arrived in the elevator with Jenny in her car seat.

"I didn't think you were coming over," Justin said trying not to sound bitter.

"Have you heard anything?" she asked anxiously. Justin shook his head. "I tried to get a babysitter, but no one wanted to do it. I had to bring her."

Jenny was asleep and Justin offered to take her up to the bedroom. Melanie handed her over. Justin carried the sleeping baby and set the carrier down at the foot of the bed where they could see her from below.

"Are you all right?" Melanie asked Lindsay sitting down beside her on the couch. Lindsay just stared blankly. She seemed totally shell shocked. Brian stared out the window oblivious to Melanie's arrival.

The buzzer sounded again and Justin went to answer it. He spoke quietly, but firmly. Finally he sighed and released the door. He pulled the loft door back and went over to Brian.

"Brian," he said softly touching the man's arm. Brian turned slightly. "Debbie and Michael are coming up. Deb's brought some food."

"How … why?" Brian shrugged.

"I told Deb what happened when I called to ask her to baby-sit," Mel said matter of factly. "In fact I think most of the gang are coming over. That's why I couldn't get a babysitter."

Brian glared at Melanie and Justin wanted to tell her to mind her own fucking business, but the elevator deposited Debbie and Michael at their doorstep at that moment. Justin went to help them with the food. He so wanted to tell Melanie to take her baby and get the fuck out.

Melanie went over to Debbie who hugged her and asked about Jenny Rebecca. She told Melanie how sorry she was about what had happened with Gus. Michael headed for Brian gently rubbing the man's arm as he tried to console him. They didn't say anything.

"What the fuck happened?" Debbie asked Melanie.

"Justin and asshole over there had Gus in the park and somebody snatched him," Melanie replied.

"How could they just take the boy?" Debbie demanded.

"That's what I wanted to know," Melanie replied. "But nobody can really explain how Gus has disappeared when supposedly those two were watching him."

The buzzer sounded again and Ted and Emmett were allowed up. Justin wondered what the fuck he should do. He knew that Brian didn't want all these people there. He was already blaming himself for what had happened, and now everybody was going to be demanding explanations, explanations that neither of them could really give. It couldn't be good.

Emmett rushed in. "Any news yet?"

Everybody shook their head or mumbled 'no'.

"I can't believe Gus is gone," Emmett replied.

"He's not gone," Lindsay sobbed. "He's coming back to me. I know he is."

"Of course, sweetie," Emmett said looking over at Brian.

"Let's get the food ready," Debbie said convinced as always that food made any situation better.

Emmett and Justin went to help set it out. Brian continued to stare out the window. Michael stood stoically beside him. Before long the food was laid out and everyone was invited to get a plate and help themselves. People began loading their plates. Brian and Lindsay remained where they were not in the least bit hungry.

"You should probably eat something," Justin said quietly to Brian. Brian shook his head. Justin shrugged and went to get something for himself.

"I still don't understand how this could have happened," Debbie said loudly looking at Brian's back. "If anybody ever let Jenny Rebecca out of their sight for a second, I'd take their fucking head off."

"It wasn't like that," Justin said weakly.

"Well, maybe if somebody didn't go around screwing everything that moves, and making an army of enemies as a result, this would never have happened," Melanie said with a very superior sounding attitude.

"Brian didn't mean for this to happen," Justin said,

"But it did happen, and I think Melanie's right. It has to be someone that Brian has screwed," Debbie declared.

Emmett and Ted nodded their agreement.

"Where do you even start to look for a possible perpetrator among the thousands Brian has fucked?" Ted asked.

"Do you think it could have anything to do with business?" Melanie piped up. "Has Brian stolen somebody's account recently?"

Ted shrugged and shook his head. He realized that maybe he had already said too much.

"Who was that guy that was going to sue you, Brian?" Michael asked. "Maybe he's a suspect."

"Kip Thomas," Melanie said knowingly. "I already thought about him, and Stockwell, and Vance, and about a million disgruntled tricks."

"And while you're at it, why the fuck don't you include my cunt sister and her spawn of the devil, or my loving mother, or my fucking dead father?" Brian screamed at them. "They all hated me too, and wanted a horrible fate to finally chew me up and spit me out. Well it has! Now get your slimy asses off my furniture, take your food and your criticism, and whatever pretend sympathy you brought with you, and get the fuck out of my home! NOW!!!"

Justin looked at Brian whose forehead throbbed like a blood vessel was about to burst. Justin was afraid Brian was going to have a stroke. Jenny Rebecca started to cry as the loud voice awoke her. Melanie grabbed her daughter and headed out in a huff. "Asshole," was thrown over her shoulder as she left.

"Brian…" Michael began.

"Did I not make myself clear?" Brian screamed. "That includes you too. Get out! All of you!"

Nobody could ever remember Brian being in such a state. He was usually so under control. Everyone stood and began to make their way out of the loft. They mumbled to each other about what a fucking asshole Brian was and spoke softly to Justin asking him to keep them informed of what was happening. He mumbled something in response but knew he wouldn't be contacting any of them any time soon.

Finally only Justin, Brian and Lindsay remained.

"I can't go," Lindsay said tears rolling down her cheeks. "I have to know what's happened to Gus."

"You can stay," Brian whispered. Lindsay stepped into Brian's embrace and they both began to cry. They held onto each other supporting each other, loving each other, and mourning what had happened.

"You guys okay?" Justin asked after a bit. He felt like an intruder on their grief.

"I … I guess," Brian choked out. He stepped away from Lindsay and wiped his eyes. "As good as I'm ever going to be…"

Justin wanted to hold Brian and make it all right, but he knew he shouldn't touch him just yet. He went over to the remaining food and made a plate for each of his wards.

"I know you don't want this, but eat a bit for me," he pleaded handing each of them a plate. "It could be a long night and you need your strength."

Lindsay looked up at him through wet lashes. She took the plate and kissed him on the cheek. She went over to the sofa, sat down wearily and began to pick at the food. At least that was something she could do.

Brian stared at the plate fighting the urge to pitch it across the loft. He knew Justin was trying to help, but nothing could help. He felt so guilty and so helpless and such a failure. He had lost the one good thing in his life. He looked into Justin's worried eyes and realized that he had had two good things in his life, and one of them was still here trying to help him. He took the plate, kissed Justin on the cheek and went to sit beside Lindsay.

Justin let out a long, slow breath. He had thought Brian was going to hurl the plate of food across the loft. He watched Brian take a couple of bites. That was good. At least he had been able to do something that might help a little bit.

The evening dragged on and the phone remained silent. Periodically they checked the loft door to see if someone had snuck up and left a message. They called Detective Lopez hoping there might be some new leads. Nothing.

About ten o'clock Justin suggested that Lindsay should go home and get some rest.

"I don't think I can stand to be by myself … without Gus," she gulped.

"But the loft really isn't conducive to having guests," Justin replied.

"I could sleep on the sofa," she offered.

"What about calling Melanie and staying with her. Gus is her son too."

Lindsay made a face, but she realized that Justin didn't really want her there. She knew it would be uncomfortable while Justin tried to console Brian in the only way that Brian would understand. She sighed and reached for her cell phone. She hit Melanie's number.

"Mel," she began.

"Have you heard something?"

"No, no, nothing like that. I wondered if I could come over and spend the night with you. I don't want to be alone."

"Can't you stay with the asshole and his consort?" Melanie snarked.

"The loft isn't really good for that."

"Well, I'm in the middle of a big case. I'm going to be working on my plea to the judge all weekend. It's a very important custody case and I'm going to win," she said proudly.

"That's great, Mel, but can you at least sit with me a bit?"

"I really don't have the time. This has to be perfect. You can come over if you want, but don't bother me. I need to concentrate."

Lindsay shook her head. "Never mind," she said and hung up. She looked over at Brian and Justin who were both looking out the window now. "I guess I'll go home," she said slowly. "Mel's involved in some custody case and she doesn't want to be interrupted."

"Bitch!" Brian reacted.

"I'll go now … get out of your way."

"No, Lindsay," Brian said softly. "I'm not sending you home alone. We need to be together for Gus … for us."

"Are you sure?" she asked her heart soaring at Brian's kind words. Sometimes Brian did understand on a very deep level.

"I'm sure. We'll put clean linen on the bed. You take it. Justin and I can sleep on the futon cushions."

"I … I don't want to put you out."

"It's fine. Let's get the bed made up," Brian said to Justin as he moved towards the bedroom. It was good to have something useful to do instead of just standing around and thinking. He wished he could stop thinking, stop reliving that moment in the park when they realized Gus was gone. It was going to be one hell of a long night.

Chapter 4 by Thyme

 

Kidnapped!

" 4 "

By midnight Brian wanted to scream. There had been no contact from the kidnappers. The police had not called, and they were all resisting the urge to call Detective Lopez. They knew she would call if there were any developments, but they wanted to speak to her in hopes that something was happening.

Brian found a sleeping pill that Lindsay could take and she finally crawled into the big bed. Brian and Justin closed the glass partitions giving her … and them as much privacy as possible.

Justin finally convinced Brian to come and lie with him on the futon cushions. He knew the likelihood of Brian sleeping was small, but he could at least hold the man in his arms and try to get him to rest. Naked they lay holding each other tenderly.

"Would you take a sleeping pill if I got you one," Justin asked after a while. He could feel the tension in Brian's body and wanted to relieve it somehow.

"I don't want to sleep," Brian said bluntly.

"You need to. If they contact us tomorrow you need to be alert and ready for whatever happens."

"I can't sleep," Brian said. "Every time I close my eyes I see Gus' face, crying, and … begging me to come get him." Justin felt the hitch in Brian's voice as he said those last words.

"I wish we could go get him," Justin whispered.

"We didn't do anything wrong today, did we?" Brian asked.

"No, we didn't. We can't hold Gus' hand every second. You know how many times we have taken Gus to that park and he has done the exact same thing. That fucking skateboarder knocking me down was the source of the problem."

"I wonder if he had anything to do with the kidnapping, or if it was just a coincidence," Brian asked.

"It seems far too convenient to have been accidental. It made the perfect distraction so they could grab Gus."

"If that's true, then it must have been very well thought out," Brian said thoughtfully. "That's even scarier."

"I know. I've been wondering about that ever since it happened. Who could have done it?"

"I wish the fuck I knew," Brian snarled. "I'd kill the son of a bitch."

"No, you wouldn't, but I understand the feeling. Gus was kind of like my son too."

"And your playmate," Brian said trying to find something to smile about in the midst of this horrible mess.

"Yeah, sometimes," Justin smiled. "I miss him already."

"You … you don't think they'll hurt him, do you?"

"Jesus, I hope not."

"I mean I'll give them every penny I've got if they'll just return him safe and sound."

"We'll get him back, Brian. We will." Justin wished he was half as sure as his words sounded.

"What are we going to do if…"

"Don't say it. Don't even think it."

Lindsay lay up in the bedroom listening to the discussion between Brian and Justin. She realized how hard everybody had been on Brian today, even her. They all had blamed Brian when it could just as easily have happened to any of them. There were lots of times she had taken Gus to the park and let him play on the slide by himself while she sat on a bench talking to Melanie or absently watching the boy. Somebody could have taken her son any of those times and she would have been as helpless as Brian had been today.

Gasps and moans from below told her that the boys were using sex as a means of escape from the reality of what had happened. She wished she had someone who could help her escape even for a second from the thought of never getting Gus back. She listened as the moans intensified.

"I love you, Brian," Justin whispered.

"I know, baby. I'm so glad you're here."

"I'm close."

"Me too."

There were a few more intense moans and then silence.

Lindsay wondered if they would sleep now. She was glad Brian had Justin. He must be hurting so much. She knew that he loved Gus as much as he was capable of loving anyone, anything. And now she knew just how much he loved Justin too. It was good that they were together. Tomorrow she had to try to make Brian feel a little better.

And they would hear something about Gus. They had to.

The night was spent in tossing and turning both by the men and also by Lindsay. A couple of times Brian and Justin heard Lindsay cry out in her sleep. At one point they were both awakened to her sobs. They held onto each other not knowing what else to do. Their hearts ached as much as Lindsay's even though they might not show it so openly.

The rising sun found Brian standing in front of the window once again. Lindsay came down the steps quietly and went to the kitchen to start a pot of coffee. Brian heard her rattling around looking for what she needed and came over to help her.

"Did you get any sleep?" Lindsay asked.

"Not much."

"Me either."

"I was afraid to sleep. I thought I might miss the call or dream about Gus or … never wake up."

Lindsay ran her hand down Brian's cheek. "I know," she said. "I felt the same way."

"Where the fuck could he be, Lindz? Why haven't we heard something?"

Lindsay shook her head. "I don't know. I wish I did."

They started the coffee and then stood staring at each other without really seeing, lost in thought about their missing son.

"Thanks for letting me stay last night. I just couldn't face that empty apartment."

"That's okay."

"I … I'm sorry I was so hard on you yesterday, but I wasn't thinking straight. I was so upset."

"You didn't say anything I haven't thought myself."

"Surely we'll hear something today."

"Yeah," Brian said non-committally. He hoped that would be the case.

"Is the coffee ready yet?" a sleepy voice from the futon inquired.

"Yes, lazy bones," Brian said softly. "Come and get it."

"Any news?" Justin asked as he pulled on some underwear.

Brian and Lindsay both shook their heads.

"We'll hear something today," Lindsay said softly. "I'm sure we will. I don't think I could take another night of not knowing."

"I'm going to walk to the bagel shop on the corner and get us breakfast," Justin said. "Anything special that you guys want?"

Both people shook their heads.

"Get whatever you like," Brian said as he watched Justin pull on some clothes.

"I'll be back in a few minutes," Justin said as he went out the door.

"I'm going to call Melanie and see if she's heard anything."

Brian nodded to Lindsay and went to take up his continuing position at the window. Lindsay looked at his back and sighed as she dialed Melanie's number.

"Mel? Have you heard anything? No. No, we haven't either, but it's still early. Are you coming over? Oh, okay, I see. Maybe later then. Bye."

Brian listened to the side of the conversation that he could hear, and he knew Melanie wasn't coming. She didn't seem to be worried enough about Gus to make the effort, although she was about the last person he wanted in the loft right then.

"She's not coming," Lindsay said to Brian's back. "This custody case must be some big deal. She's still working on it. Doesn't have time for me … or Gus."

"Cunt!" Brian mumbled. He would never forgive her for the things she had said about him yesterday.

"Breakfast!" Justin called coming through the loft door. He had bagels, cream cheese and lattes for each of them.

With some gentle cajoling and wheedling they managed to get Brian to sit down to breakfast. He picked at his bagel, but drank the latte. Justin and Lindsay looked at each other wondering what they could do. Neither could think of a thing that would make matters better.

After some excruciatingly long time the phone rang. They all jumped. Brian raced to the phone and practically yelled, "Hello" into the receiver. Lindsay and Justin watched his face and held their breath. Brian's face fell as he listened. "No," he said. Then he hung up.

"Who was it?" Lindsay asked.

"Detective Lopez."

"What did she say?"

"There's nothing new. She was just reporting in. Wanted to know if we had heard anything."

"Fuck!" Justin reacted.

"I don't think I can take another day of this," Lindsay said tears springing to her eyes.

"We have to," Brian whispered. "We don't have any choice."

Justin heard the defeat in Brian's voice. He knew it must be killing the man who was always in control. Only now everything was out of his control. There was nothing he could do except wait, and that was driving him crazy.

They finished what breakfast they could stomach. It sat like lead inside them. Nobody had much to say. Each was lost in his own thoughts or worries. Somehow it got to be afternoon. The buzzer sounded and Melanie announced her arrival.

Brian groaned and went to work on the computer, anything so he didn't have to deal with her. Justin let Melanie in.

"Where's Jenny Rebecca?" Lindsay asked as Melanie entered empty handed.

"I dropped her off at Debbie's for a couple of hours. I have something I need to talk to you about."

"And what might that be?" Lindsay asked noticing how agitated Melanie seemed to be. "Are you all right?"

"I … I'm fine."

"Did you get any sleep last night?"

"Not much. I was working on my case. I'm not sure what to do about it."

"What is this case that's taking so much of your time?" Lindsay asked.

"I told you that it's a custody case."

"So, you've handled lots of custody cases before and they never affected you this way."

"They never involved the Garoni family."

"Garoni," Lindsay said with a frown. "That name sounds familiar."

"They're mafia, aren't they?" Justin asked. "I think I've read about them in the newspaper."

"Yeah, they are. Only, I … I'm not dealing with the father who is the one with the mob connections. His son Gianni is fighting for custody of his own son, three year old Leo."

"There's a divorce in a mafia family?" Lindsay asked. "I thought they were all catholic and nobody ever got out once they were in."

"That's exactly why this case is so important. My client is Maria Garoni. She married Gianni five years ago, but not in the Catholic Church. It was a spur of the moment thing in Las Vegas. Gianni's father never approved of it, but his mother dotes on Leo, and learned to accept Maria. Now everything is falling apart and Maria is counting on me to help her keep her child. I'm sure I can win."

"Against all the power and influence of the Garoni family?"

"Exactly."

Brian had been listening to all this. His blood pressure kept rising. "Could you tell me why the fuck you are here discussing this lame ass custody case and the biggest mob family in Pittsburgh, when your own son is missing?" Brian spit the words at Melanie finding her attitude and behavior totally unbelievable. It seemed like everything was more important to her than Gus.

"I … I had some news this morning."

"News? About what?" Lindsay asked.

"About this case."

"Why the fuck would we want to know about your goddam case?" Brian demanded.

"Because…" Melanie began but then hesitated.

"Melanie," Justin interrupted seeing Brian working up to a major hissy fit. "Maybe you should leave this for another time."

"But…"

"Justin's right," Lindsay said seeing the look on Brian's face. "We need to focus on Gus."

Melanie shrugged. She looked at Lindsay and then over at Brian. "I guess," Melanie said slowly. "It looks like I have to handle this myself. I'll go."

"But I thought you wanted to talk to me about something," Lindsay said.

"It doesn't matter now. I know what I'm going to do." She glared at Brian.

"What are you talking about?" Lindsay asked.

"I do love Gus despite what some of you seem to think," she said haughtily. "I will do what's best for him." She marched to the door. With a hard tug she slammed the heavy door behind.

"What the fuck got up her twat?" Brian grumbled.


Chapter 5 by Thyme

 

Kidnapped!

" 5 "

Sunday came and went without any contact about Gus. Lindsay decided to go home to her apartment late on Sunday night. She said she had some sleeping pills there. She would be all right, or as all right as she could possibly be under the circumstances.

After she left, Brian and Justin sat staring at the television with the sound turned down. All of a sudden there was a report on the eleven o'clock news which unexpectedly featured a name that immediately caught their attention, the same name they had heard a few hours earlier. The screen showed a good looking young man probably in his early thirties. He was identified as Gianni Garoni, the only son of mobster Adolpho Garoni. They turned up the sound to hear more clearly what was being reported. The woman doing the piece said that Monday would see the final summations by lawyers from each side in the bitter custody case between Gianni and his wife Maria. It looked like Gianni's wife was going to gain custody thanks to the fine work of her attorney, Melanie Marcus.

Brian snorted derisively. "It's a wonder Mel isn't on there talking about her damn case. Heaven forbid she should do anything about getting Gus back."

"What could she do?" Justin asked reasonably.

"I don't know … but she should be able to help. She is in the fucking legal system."

All of a sudden they realized there was another report on the eleven o'clock news that had relevance to them. This time it was about Gus having been kidnapped. It said that prominent gay businessman, Brian Kinney, had had his son abducted from a neighborhood park. According to the reporter no contact had been received from the kidnappers and no leads seemed to be available. The reporter mentioned that one of the possibilities for the kidnapping had to be that someone merely wanted a child of their own. That usually meant that there was no ransom note and the kidnapper would have taken the child and fled the state. Those types of cases often went unsolved.

"Fuck!" Brian reacted. "Do you think that could be what happened? That somebody just wanted a child for themselves?"

"I don't know, Brian," Justin said. "I suppose that could be what happened."

Brian shook his head. "I was sure we would have heard something by now."

"What are you going to do about tomorrow?" Justin asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Are you going to work? Do I go to school?"

"Fuck! I don't know. I thought we would have got Gus back by now. I can't stay in this fucking loft forever, but I have to be here if somebody tries to contact us."

"Should we talk to Detective Lopez about it?"

"Maybe we better."

After a call to the detective, it was agreed that Brian should go to work, but the police would continue to monitor the loft phone in case anything happened. Brian didn't know how much he would be able to accomplish at Kinnetik but it had to be better than the endless waiting in the loft. He knew another day of staring out the loft windows would finish him off.

Finally the two men went to bed, back in the bed that they now shared as partners. Justin could feel the tension in Brian's body. He wanted Brian to have a good night's sleep, something that he had been deprived of ever since Gus was taken.

Justin pushed Brian over onto his stomach and began a slow and methodical massage of the man's shoulders. Brian sighed in contentment doing his best to let his mind remain a blank. He gave himself up to the feel of Justin's fingers. He banished thoughts of Gus as best he could. Justin straddled Brian's hips and worked down into the back muscles. He heard Brian sigh and felt the man relax under his touch.

Justin slid down so he was sitting on Brian's thighs. He worked on the back muscles around Brian's waist. He slid down farther revealing Brian's ass and he massaged each cheek. He couldn't resist leaning in for a lick through Brian's crack. He felt Brian squirm and groan and knew he was making the man hard.

He slid farther down Brian's legs and began probing Brian's pink pucker with his tongue. The sounds he elicited only made him probe deeper. He licked and sucked and jabbed with his tongue.

"Aaahhh," Brian gasped.

"Want me to fuck you?" Justin whispered in his ear. The warm, moist breath made Brian shiver in anticipation.

"Yes," Brian hissed giving himself over to Justin completely.

Justin grabbed the lube and used his fingers to prepare his partner. Brian's gasps and moans told him the man was ready and he sheathed his cock. He pulled Brian up and shoved a pillow under his groin. He felt Brian buck against it rubbing his hard dick against the fabric.

"Easy," he breathed against Brian's ear.

"Now!" Brian ordered not wanting to be patient any longer.

Justin pressed his cock against Brian's pucker and eased in. Brian turned and looked at him as he groaned mightily. Justin thrust in farther and heard Brian's, "Ah" in response. He paused and rubbed Brian's shoulders till he felt the man relax. Brian was always so tight and Justin wanted this to be good.

"More," Brian groaned.

Justin drove in and was firmly captured in Brian's ass. He loved the feel of Brian's hole clenching around his dick trying to expel him but also accepting him. It was a lot like the way Brian behaved so often, trying to drive him out of his life but wanting and needing him at the same time. He began to thrust in earnest.

As their passion mounted, Justin leaned in and whispered, "I'll always be here, Brian. Know that!"

"Don't make promises you can't keep," Brian groaned.

"I have every intention of keeping that one," Justin said thrusting rapidly.

"Ah, ah, ah," Brian gasped.

"I'm ready," Justin cried and reached for Brian's dick. A few more thrusts and strokes and they were both coming.

Justin rolled away and disposed of the condom. He turned to look at Brian who was cleaning himself up. "I meant what I said," Justin stated.

"I know."

"Then why do I feel like you don't believe me?"

"We can't control what happens in the future," Brian admitted. "Look what happened to Gus."

"But…"

"It's … it's okay. I know you mean it," Brian said softly.

"I love you."

Brian pulled his young lover against him and buried his face in Justin's neck. He would not cry, no matter how much he wanted to. Finally he fell asleep.

When Brian arrived at Kinnetik he was met by a phalanx of reporters wanting to know how he felt about his son being kidnapped. Brian couldn't believe the idiocy and insensitivity of such a question.

"How the fuck do you think I feel?" he demanded as he pushed his way through the crowd.

"Do you want to say anything to the kidnapper?" a reporter called out.

"Bring my son back … safe!" Brian yelled as he managed to get to the door and escaped into Kinnetik.

"Sorry about that," Cynthia said handing him a cup of coffee.

"Can't we do something to get rid of them?" Brian asked.

"I don't think so. They have the right to pursue their story."

"Fuck!"

"If we ignore them they might go away."

"That philosophy will save the world," Brian observed with his usual caustic humor. "Let's get to work."

By the time Brian got back to the loft late that evening he was feeling like shit. He had accomplished very little at work. His mind kept wandering. He kept thinking of Gus and picturing him crying as he was spirited away. Then he had had to face the reporters again when he left Kinnetik. There had been fewer of them than there were in the morning. Maybe they had realized that he had no intention of cooperating with them, so some of them had seemingly given up on getting their emotional sound bite from him.

Justin was working at his desk in the alcove when Brian slid the door closed. He looked up and said, "Hey. Any news?"

Brian shook his head. He made his way up to the bedroom to change into his jeans and wifebeater.

"Have you eaten anything?" Justin called.

"No."

"I'm ordering something."

"I'm not hungry."

"I'm ordering something, and you will eat it, and you will like it."

"Okay, twat," Brian conceded as he came down the steps.

Justin studied him. He could see the dark rings under Brian's eyes, and there were some visible wrinkles that he knew Brian would not want to hear about. Gus' disappearance was taking its toll.

"What do you feel like?" Justin asked.

"I said I'm not hungry. Order whatever you like."

Justin was about to retort when he remembered that the best way to get Brian to eat was to feed him off his own plate. He'd order something good, and he would get Brian to eat it. He picked up the phone and ordered some Chinese. Brian handed him a beer as he set the phone down.

"Was it bad today?" the blue eyes asked as they stared up into hazel ones. Brian nodded forcing back the tears that sprang up at Justin's tenderness. He felt Justin's arms come around him and he leaned into the embrace. If he was ever going to live through this nightmare he needed these arms to hold him up and support him all along the way.

"The fucking news media were waiting outside Kinnetik, asking the most lame ass, idiotic questions, and expecting sensible, heartfelt answers in reply."

"And you didn't give them that," Justin smiled slightly. Brian arched an eyebrow as much as to say that he would never stoop to that level. "But the media could help get a message to Gus or the kidnapper."

"I told them that the only message was that they should return Gus safe and sound."

"That's a good message," Justin said kissing Brian softly.

They sat on the sofa and waited for the food to arrive. When it did Brian ate a bit, but it all tasted like shit. By the time he was through picking at his food Justin turned on the eleven o'clock news.

The first thing they saw was an irate Gianni Garoni telling the world that his whore of a wife had no right to the custody of his son.

"Melanie must have won her big case," Brian observed. "Ain't that grand!" He couldn't keep the sarcasm out of his voice.

The reporter continued with his report stating that Ms Marcus had seemed rattled during her summation and many in the courtroom thought she had blown the trial. However, the good groundwork she had laid seemed to have won the day. Maria Garoni had custody of the three year old son.

"Maybe Melanie was more upset about Gus than we thought," Justin mused.

"I doubt it. She just can't handle the media spotlight."

"Sh," Justin said as a picture of Gus was flashed up on the screen.

"Where the fuck did they get that?" Brian asked.

"Probably from Lindsay," Justin said.

The reporter was saying that Gus had now been missing for almost three days. The longer he was gone, the more difficult retrieving him became.

"Fuck!" Brian reacted.

"They don't know that that is true," Justin replied. "Every case is different."

"Yeah," Brian agreed but he wondered if he would ever see Gus again.

Chapter 6 by Thyme

 

Kidnapped!

" 6 "

The following day Brian noted that the number of reporters had lessened. The public had a very short attention span even if the case was about a missing child. Without some definite developments there was nothing to catch the interest of the viewer and the whole story soon disappeared from sight.

Brian wasn't sure whether he was happy or sad about that. He was glad to have less of a hassle getting into his office, but he wanted people to continue to watch for Gus. Somebody might spot him somewhere and they might then be able to get him back.

The day dragged by without anything happening until about 3 pm. Cynthia buzzed to say that Detective Lopez was on the line. Brian's heart thumped erratically in his chest as he told her to put the call through.

"Hello," Brian said finding it difficult to breathe.

"Mr. Kinney, could you come over to the home of Melanie Marcus?"

"Why?" Brian asked with a frown. "What's going on?"

"I'd like to discuss this with you in person rather than over the phone."

"What do you want to discuss? Is … is …. is Gus dead?" He could barely get the words out of his mouth. He was sure this had to be why the detective had called.

"No, Mr. Kinney, we don't know that, but it does involve some information about Gus."

"I'll be right there," Brian said and immediately got up. "Cynthia," he bellowed, "I'm gone for the next few hours. Hold the fort."

"Sure," she said as he raced out the door.

Ten minutes later Lindsay was letting him into Melanie's house. A very white and visibly shaken Melanie Marcus sat on the couch. Brian took one look at her and was sure all over again that Gus was dead.

"What … what's going on?" he asked hesitantly not wanting to hear the awful words come out of someone's mouth.

"A couple of hours ago Ms Marcus called me to say that the kidnappers had contacted her," Detective Lopez said.

"Contacted … her?" Brian asked staring at Melanie. "Why her?"

"That's what I intend to explain," Detective Lopez continued. "It seems that on Sunday evening she received a phone call from someone who told her that if she ever wanted to see her son again she had to follow his instructions very carefully."

"Sunday evening?" Brian said slowly. "You heard something on Sunday evening and you never fucking told us?" Brian's voice continued to rise as he spoke until he was almost screaming.

"I … I thought I was doing the right thing," Melanie choked out.

"What the fuck is she talking about?" Brian demanded. "What is going on?"

"Ms Marcus was told that she had to screw up her summation for the Garoni trial. If Gianni Garoni got custody of his son, then Gus would be returned."

"But he lost custody. I heard that on the news last night," Brian said.

"That's correct," Detective Lopez said.

"So you couldn't even fucking make enough of a mess of the case to lose when you needed to?" Brian yelled. "I can't fucking believe this."

"Please, Mr. Kinney," the detective said. "Calm down. This isn't helping."

"So what's being done? This must mean that the Garonis know where Gus is."

"I'm afraid not," the detective replied.

"What? Why not?"

"When Ms Marcus called me we went directly to the Garoni estate. There was no sign of Gus anywhere and of course, they deny any knowledge of the boy or of the call."

"But why would Melanie lie?" Brian asked bewildered. "Surely they must have known that she would report what happened."

"They thought they would have custody of the son at that point and there would be no need to pursue the kidnapping when Gus was mysteriously returned."

"But they don't have custody. And they have my son," Brian said forcefully.

"We have no proof of that," the detective said. "The call to Ms Marcus' cell phone was from one of those disposable kind of cell phones. There's little hope of tracing it. The Garonis deny knowing anything and there is no sign of Gus anywhere."

"So what are you going to do?" Brian asked looking to Lindsay for support.

"There's little we can do. It's too late if your son has been taken out of the country."

"Out of the country?" Brian yelled.

"The Garonis have property in several countries around the world."

"Can't Interpol or Scotland Yard or the fucking CIA do something?"

"They've been alerted, but there are no guarantees. The Garonis will play this close to the vest."

"So what do we do?"

"We wait."

"Wait? I've been waiting for three fucking days. How much longer?"

The detective shook her head and Brian knew that meant they might have to wait forever, and even then they might not find out anything.

"Christ!" he said swiping his hand through his hair.

"I'm going to go now," Detective Lopez said. "If I find out anything I'll be in touch."

She made her way to the door and Lindsay showed her out. Brian stared at Melanie wondering how she could have taken matters into her own hands and not told them what was going on.

"Brian," Lindsay said as she came back into the room. "Would you like some coffee?"

"No, I'd like a fucking explanation of what she thought she was playing at." His outstretched finger pointed directly at Melanie.

"I … thought I was doing the right thing," Melanie said shakily.

"She didn't mean for it to go wrong," Lindsay said defending her. "Come to the kitchen and I'll get you some coffee."

Brian understood that Lindsay wanted him to leave Melanie alone. He debated telling the incompetent lawyer just exactly what he thought of her, but she was already so beaten down he didn't have the heart for it. He followed Lindsay to the kitchen.

"How can you be so fucking calm about this?" Brian demanded.

"I'm not calm. I'm just holding on by a thread. At least we know what may have happened to our son."

"What? That he's under the control of the mob. God only knows what they may do to him."

"I … I think he's safe," Lindsay said softly handing him a cup of coffee.

"How can you say that?"

"You didn't hear everything that they said to Melanie. She told me all of it before the detective arrived."

"All of it? What do you mean?"

"The phone call … the one from the kidnapper … they told Melanie that it was her son for their son. They called it a fair trade. They would have their boy one way or another."

"And you think that means that they won't hurt Gus."

Lindsay nodded. "It sounds like they will keep Gus as their son to replace the boy they lost."

"And you're happy about that?" Brian asked in disbelief.

"Of course I'm not happy about it. But I do think they will keep him alive. They'll look after him and treat him like their son. And … and he won't be dead, even if I never see him again." A tear rolled down Lindsay's cheek.

Brian pulled her to him and held her in his arms as she wept softly for their little boy. After a minute she pulled away and wiped her face.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"I don't understand why they can't find Gus if they know who has him," Brian said shaking his head.

"Apparently they have Gianni Garoni under surveillance, but he has to be expecting that. He has done nothing suspicious. Somebody else in their family or their contacts must have Gus."

"But who?"

"Don't you think I'm going nuts wondering the same thing? The police said they would do everything they could to find out where Gus is, but this is the mafia we're dealing with and in foreign countries." Lindsay shook her head.

Brian stared at her. He wanted to go to the Garoni estate and rip the balls off each family member until one of them cracked and told him where his son was. His chest heaved with rage knowing that he would never be able to do that.

"What are we going to do?" Brian asked.

"Wait."

Brian let out a loud sigh. "I don't think I can take another day of waiting."

"You can and you will. And somehow we will get him back."

"I fucking hope you're right."

"I have to be."

"And what about her?" Brian asked cocking his head towards the living room.

"Melanie? What about her?" Lindsay frowned.

Brian wanted to scream at her that Melanie was responsible for Gus being kidnapped. She was the one the kidnappers had contacted. She had decided to take matters into her own hands and not tell anyone. She had won the Garoni case instead of losing it. Because of her they might never see Gus again.

"Aside from wanting to kill her is she going to be all right?" Brian said.

Lindsay gave a crooked little smile. Everybody thought Brian was such an asshole but he could be very kind too. "She's taking it pretty hard. She honestly thought she would lose the case and get Gus back."

"Ever the hero!" Brian observed with a rueful smile.

"She tried, but it … didn't work out."

"I've been wracking my brain trying to think of something that I could do that might help us find Gus."

"I don't think there's anything any of us can do," Lindsay said.

"Probably not, but I would feel a lot better if I could do something."

"I know. So would I."

"What if Gus is in another country? He's only a little boy. He'll be so scared."

"Little boys are very adaptable. I actually do feel better knowing that he will be treated like the Garoni's son."

Brian looked up at Lindsay. "You are pretty amazing."

"No, I'm not. I just want Gus to live … even if it is without us."

"And I want him back."

Chapter 7 by Thyme

 

Kidnapped!

" 7 "

The weeks gradually passed by and no word came about Gus. Lindsay was sure they would hear something eventually, but even her faith began to flag as time wore on.

Brian hired a private detective to try to locate Gus. The man was extremely well paid and produced extremely little in terms of concrete information or leads. Brian employed him for a month until the man presented him with an astronomical bill and no results. The man had never before felt the fury of a Brian Kinney meltdown. He never wanted to experience one again. He was happy to escape from the Kinnetik offices in one piece and with a check for half of what he had submitted. After that Brian's blood pressure gradually went down, but the ache in his heart for his son did not.

Justin did his best to support Brian and get him to lead as normal a life as was possible under the circumstances. Justin missed Gus too, although his feelings seemed to be of little relevance or concern to anyone in their strange little family. Brian still fucked him into the mattress when Justin could get him to do it, although it wasn't as automatic as it used to be. They both found a few minutes of forgetfulness in those times. But the distance between them seemed to be widening and no matter what Justin did he could feel Brian slipping away. Sometimes Justin didn't seem to care either, and that frightened him. Their lives were on hold, in some sort of limbo. They went through the days with no real joy or happiness, no real communication, no fun. They existed rather than living. A pervasive sadness cast its pall over everything they did. Justin didn't know how long he would be able to stand it.

The rest of the family went on with their lives. Occasionally they asked about news of Gus but more and more Gus became a taboo subject. It was easier not to ask, less painful, less hurtful for all concerned.

Melanie disappeared from view as best she could. She still had her job and Jenny Rebecca. Michael, of course, wanted to see his daughter and she allowed that. Mostly she sent Jenny home with Michael so that Deb and Ben could have time with her. Melanie herself never wanted to participate in family get togethers or outings. She went from her house to her office and back again. Little was seen of her other than that.

Brian found it difficult to be around Michael. Michael was always talking about his daughter, often not thinking about how his words about his own child might affect Brian who had lost his. The trips to Babylon or Woody's with Michael became fewer and fewer. Brian would often go alone and use his tried and true pain management techniques in the backrooms. Once he got his rocks off he would quickly leave never really wanting to socialize with anyone.

His drug use escalated. It seemed to take more and more for Brian to find the numbness, the blankness, where he wasn't assailed with thoughts of Gus and how he had been taken from them. He often pictured Gus somewhere laughing and playing like any other little child. He prayed that was the case in reality. He couldn't bear to think of him dead.

Justin's frustrations grew. He knew Brian was back to serious tricking. He understood on some level why Brian was doing it, but that didn't make it hurt any less. There didn't seem to be anything he could do that didn't make Brian angry and defensive. Sympathy got Justin a sharp rebuke. Criticism got him into a fight. Mention of Gus got him stony silence. He was just about at his wit's end.

Four months after Gus had disappeared no news about the little boy had been received. Most people had given up hope. Brian and Lindsay still clung to a faint hope that Gus was alive and someday they might get him back. Most others had given up even thinking about Gus.

One Saturday afternoon the buzzer sounded indicating someone was below asking for entrance. Justin looked at Brian. They had not had a visitor in a long time. Brian continued working on his computer ignoring the sound. Justin got up and went to the door.

"Yes," he said into the intercom.

"Justin?" a female voice said. "What the fuck took you so long?"

"What do you want, Debbie?" Justin asked.

"Is the asshole home?"

Justin sighed. He looked over at Brian who shook his head. "No, he isn't," Justin lied.

"Let me come up. I need to talk to you."

Justin groaned. Now he was caught in the lie. He looked over at Brian who shook his head. Justin signaled that he didn't know what to do.

Brian got up slowly. He walked to the intercom. "I'm here, Debbie. But I'm not seeing anyone," Brian said.

"You need to see me. Open up."

"Deb…"

"I'm not taking no for an answer."

"You might as well let her in," Justin said.

Brian released the door and went back to his computer. It was never a good thing when Debbie arrived unannounced at the loft. He didn't want to deal with this.

Justin pulled back the door and Debbie stepped inside. She looked around like she half expected to see an orgy.

"What do you want, Deb?" Justin asked hoping to get this over quickly before Brian blew a gasket.

"I'm having a little dinner tomorrow night, and I want you both to be there."

"No."

Debbie turned and looked at Brian who studied his computer screen not looking up. "What did you say?" she asked.

"No."

"Just like that? No!"

"We don't go out much," Justin said lamely. "Maybe another time."

"I told you I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Give it a rest, Deb," Brian said calmly. "We won't be there."

"Brian … kiddo … I know it's hard, but cutting yourself off from everyone won't make it better," Debbie pleaded.

"I'm not coming," Brian repeated keeping his voice level as his temper rose. Why couldn't she just take his answer and fuck off.

"We all miss Gus too," Debbie said. Justin cringed knowing that was the wrong approach. He prepared to open the loft door and steer Debbie out before Brian killed her. "But you have a life of your own to live. You can't lock yourself up in here and never see anyone." Justin felt his stomach roll over. Debbie was making this worse by the second. "When I lost Vic I thought I couldn't go on, but I did." Justin knew the explosion was upon them.

Brian stood up by his computer. The seething rage just beneath the surface was so clear to Justin. Why couldn't Debbie see it, and get the fuck out before it was too late?

"What do you want, Deb?" Brian asked his voice rising slightly. "You want me to come to your house so the 'family' can smother me with pity? You want me to come be civil with fucking Melanie who cost me my son with her irresponsible actions? You want me to pretend that I'm fine and Gus' disappearance doesn't matter anymore? You want me to bill and coo over Jenny Rebecca and use her as a substitute for my own son? You want to slap my face again and tell me to shape up or get out?" Brian's voice had risen with each question. He glared at Debbie waiting for an answer.

"I want to let you see that we love you and we want to help you," Debbie said softly. "I love you, kiddo. Please come."

Brian shook his head.

"I'll make sure it's just a few of us. No Melanie or Jenny Rebecca. Nobody to upset you."

"How the fuck can you guarantee that?"

"I can't, but I'll try. Please come," she repeated.

"Maybe we should, Brian," Justin said. "It would be good to see some of the gang. We've kind of lost touch. I'd like to go." Justin knew that something had to get Brian out of his depression soon or they would both go crazy. Maybe this would be a first step.

"Then go," Brian said belligerently.

"Brian, for me?" Justin asked.

"Fuck! All right, I'll go." Brian ran his hands threw his hair and turned away. Justin mouthed to Debbie to leave and he showed her out.

When the loft door was closed Justin went over to Brian. "Thanks for agreeing to that for me," Justin said softly. "I think it will be good for both of us."

Brian turned and looked into the blue eyes. "I hope to fuck you're right."

*******************

The day leading up to the dinner was spent in awkward silence. Justin knew Brian didn't want to go and he kept wondering if the man might bolt at any second. He half expected to find Brian in his tricking clothes ready to go out and practise his pain management.

When it was time to leave Brian came down the steps casually dressed and Justin breathed a sigh of relief. "Are you ready to go?" Justin asked.

"Go where?"

Justin groaned inwardly. "To Deb's."

"I'm not going."

"But you said you would."

"I changed my mind."

"No, no, not this time," Justin said. "I've tried to handle you with kid gloves, I've asked for nothing from you for weeks, I've walked on eggshells and put my own needs aside, but enough is enough. Either you come with me or … that's it."

"That's it?" Brian asked raising an eyebrow."

"That's it."

"Then I guess I better come," Brian said with a smirk.

"You intended to go all the time, didn't you?"

Brian merely stared, and then they left the loft. Justin breathed a sigh of relief.

The dinner went smoothly. Only Emmett and Lindsay and Carl were present along with Deb and Michael. Everyone else was either not invited or had decided that absence was the better part of valor. Brian said little but others made up for his lack of conversation. He was civil and added a comment here or there. As dessert was about to be served, Brian stepped out the back door for a smoke. He fully expected Justin to follow him so he wasn't surprised when he heard the back door open and close.

"Can't stay away from me, huh?" he asked without turning around.

"I think I can. You're not exactly my type," Carl replied with a little laugh.

"Sorry, Carl, I thought you were Justin."

"That's okay."

"Deb send you to straighten me out?"

"Something like that."

"Can't be done."

"Brian, I know you miss him. I don't know how you've gotten through it till now. I don't have any magical answers."

"Thanks for being honest, Carl. I'm so sick of everyone trying to be bright and positive when there is little or no hope of ever getting him back."

"I've kept my eye on the case," Carl said. "They've tried everything to find him."

"I know."

"Did that detective you hired find out anything at all?"

"Not a fucking thing and he charged a fortune. I fired him."

"Oh, I thought he might still be on the case."

"Nope, I'm doing nothing just like everyone else … and Gus is … God knows where Gus is."

"I have a friend…"

"What a psychic? Please!"

"No, no, nothing like that. He's a private investigator, used to be a cop. He's good at what he does, very persistent and he won't charge you an arm and a leg."

"I'd give my right kidney and half my liver to get Gus back," Brian said sincerely. "Do you think there's any point after so much time has gone by?"

"There's always a chance … if you want to take it."

"Give me his name and number. I'll think about it," Brian said wearily.

He wondered if there truly was any point to pursuing this. He didn't know how much fight he had left in him.

Chapter 8 by Thyme

 

Kidnapped!

" 8 "

Brian sat across the desk from the middle aged man. He stared at Chester Blackburn sizing up the man. He seemed at first look like an innocuous, non-descript kind of guy. Brian wondered what the fuck had possessed him to go there.

"So, Mr. Kinney, what can I do for you?"

"I'm not sure you can do anything for me."

"Then why are you here?"

"Do you know Carl Horvath?" Blackburn nodded but didn't gush about their friendship or how long they had known each other. Brian liked that. "He sent me."

"Carl occasionally sends people to consult with me."

"He thought you might be able to help me."

"In finding your son?" Blackburn asked.

"Did Carl tell you I was coming?" Brian asked looking at Blackburn quizzically.

"No," the detective said shaking his head. "I read the papers. I'm very sorry about what happened to your son."

"How much do you know about it?"

"Whatever was published. Plus, I've had dealings with the Garoni family before. They don't lose easily … at anything."

"Dealings?"

"I was a witness in a court case against Gianni Garoni."

"What was that about?"

"He had beaten up some guy in a bar fight. Gianni has always been the wild one in the family, always in trouble, always looking for trouble, a real sadistic streak."

"Sounds like a real charmer," Brian said sarcastically. "So what was your role in the trial."?

"I had been following someone who happened to be in the bar the night the fight took place. I testified against Garoni, said he started the fight, that he had been drunk and belligerent and had instigated the confrontation."

"So what happened?"

"He had five witnesses who contradicted what I said. He got off."

"I bet the Garonis were pleased with your part in the fucking trial."

"I had a couple of threats thrown my way, but Gianni got off."

"And then they didn't have to beat your brains in."

"Not that they wouldn't have liked to," Blackburn chuckled wryly.

"I'd say you got off lucky."

"Unlike you and your son's mothers."

"Yeah. That stupid cunt Melanie Marcus had to fuck everything up by trying to fix it all by herself."

"She was just following their instructions. I doubt the outcome would have been a lot different if she had told the police. It was probably too late to change the verdict by then."

"Why the fuck are you defending her?"

Blackburn shook his head. "I'm not defending her. It's just that with the Garonis taking your son the outcome could never be good. Gianni has a history of screwing up big time."

"Then why the fuck didn't he screw up the kidnapping?"

"That's an interesting question," Blackburn said chewing on the end of his pen. "I have a theory."

"A theory?"

"Yeah, I keep an eye on the Garonis."

"So … so what's this theory?" Brian asked genuinely interested now.

"Gianni is a real momma's boy. His mother coddles him and helps him cover up his mistakes. I bet the grande dame of the Garoni family was behind the kidnapping. She has considerable influence in many circles even if her husband chooses to think otherwise."

"So you're saying she had someone or several someones kidnap Gus. Then she must know where he is. Can we get to him through her?" Brian asked. He unconsciously moved forward in his seat suddenly feeling like this revelation could lead to getting his son back.

"I doubt it. Besides, she has been out of the country for a few months."

"Out of the country?" Brian said almost to himself. "Could she have taken Gus with her?"

"That's certainly a possibility," Blackburn agreed. "She has a house in the Caribbean on a little island they own near Barbados."

"Jesus, do you think Gus is there?" Brian asked feeling excited about finding Gus for the first time in ages.

"Let me finish," Blackburn cautioned. "They have a large family estate on Sicily. It's almost impregnable, and would be totally safe if that's where they have your son."

"You mean we could never get him away from there?"

"I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be very difficult. Plus, they also have homes in New York and Miami."

"So where would you start?" Brian asked.

"Are you hiring me?"

"Fuck yes! You've told me more about the Garonis in an hour than that other fucking private dick told me in a month."

"I heard you hired Sambellini," Blackburn chuckled. "He's a fucking idiot."

"An expensive idiot."

"So why did you hire him?"

"I wasn't thinking straight. He had a nice office and charged a big fee. I thought he knew what the fuck he was doing. And he was Italian."

"I see your thought process, but he is all show and no flow."

Brian chuckled. He liked this guy. "And just how much are you going to charge me?"

"Depends if you want me to get into the international locations. That won't be cheap."

"I realize that. But I'll pay anything if you can get results."

"You should never say that. It's an open invitation to overcharge."

"I honestly don't care. I just want Gus back."

Blackburn studied Brian Kinney for a minute or two. He had to admit that he liked the man. He had only spoken to him for an hour but he could feel the man's commitment to getting his son back. Blackburn thought maybe he could help Kinney do that. At the same time he could shove it to the Garonis. This was a win/win situation.

"Let me look into a few things," Blackburn said. "I'll put out some feelers and see what rears its ugly head."

"Okay," Brian agreed.

"I'll be in touch in a few days."

Brian left Chester Blackburn's office feeling hopeful for the first time since Gus had disappeared.

Weeks went by. Brian met with Chester once a week. He received an update on what had been accomplished. But he also received encouragement about the possibility of finding Gus and getting him back. To Brian that was almost as important as the news he received. It gave him a purpose to go on.

Justin saw the change in Brian after the first visit with Chester Blackburn. At the time he didn't know what had caused Brian to have a little bounce in his step and a civil tongue in his head, but he was grateful for whatever had caused it. It didn't happen immediately after Debbie's dinner, so Justin didn't make the connection until much later.

Brian had waited a couple of weeks after talking to Carl before he had gone to see Chester Blackburn. He was reluctant to get into another situation like the one with Sambellini. He mulled over the possibilities in his head for days. Finally the thought of continuing to do nothing about retrieving his son was too much. He wanted to take action so he had gone to see the private eye. It would turn out to be one of the best decisions he ever made.

After a few weeks Justin had to ask what had happened that made Brian have such a better frame of mind.

Brian had smiled mysteriously and asked, "Whatever do you mean?"

"Well, Miss Scarlett, the fact that you're playing with me tells me that you have a bit of your sense of humor back, and …I like it."

"I have a sense of humor?" Brian asked with feigned disbelief.

"Of course you do," Justin giggled.

"I didn't think assholes had senses of humor."

"Briiaaan!"

"Sorry, Sunshine, I guess I should explain."

Justin grinned. It had been weeks since Brian had called him Sunshine. Neither of them had felt very sunny for a long time. Things were looking up. "So tell me."

Brian explained about Carl and Blackburn and the possibilities that had been opened up. At that point Blackburn had ruled out Gus' presence at any of the Garoni properties in the States. He was checking the island off Barbados and would then try to find out about Sicily if Gus wasn't in the Caribbean.

"What if he isn't in Sicily either?" Justin asked fearing the answer.

"I talked to Chester about that. He thinks Gus is probably in Sicily because it's the most secure spot. If he isn't then he would start tracking any and all Garoni contacts."

"That sounds like a horrendous job."

"It is, but Chester seems to think he can do whatever is required. And I believe he can."

"That's good," Justin said with a smile.

"I've missed that smile," Brian whispered.

"I've missed you."

"I guess I have been kind of … remote."

"That's putting it mildly."

Brian's arms encircled Justin and pulled him into a warm hug. He felt Justin give himself to him. He had missed that over the last weeks. There had been a wall between them. And now he realized that the wall had come from him, not from Justin. He had kept his partner at arm's length never letting Justin really comfort him or help him. He had felt such overwhelming sadness and despondency that he couldn't let anyone else share it. It would have swallowed both of them.

Now that there was the slimmest glimmer of hope that they might get Gus back Brian felt more like his old self. He allowed himself to take Justin in his arms and kiss him fervently, needily, completely. The kiss went on and on as the two men reconnected, having been lost to each other for so long.

Brian tugged his young partner up the stairs kissing all the while. They tumbled onto the bed pulling off each other's clothes. They kissed and sucked and nipped. They couldn't get close enough. When Brian finally entered Justin they were both breathless and in need. The lovemaking was fast and intense, just like the first time.

When they were through they lay in each other's arms. They didn't want to lose their refound connection.

"I love you," Justin whispered. Brian nodded and Justin knew his feelings were being reciprocated. "How long will it be before you know where Gus is?"

"Soon," was all Brian said before capturing Justin's mouth once again. He didn't want think about anything at the moment. He just wanted Justin with all his heart and soul.

Return to Thyme's

Chapter 9 by Thyme

 

Kidnapped!

" 9 "

A few more weeks went by. One day almost seven months after Gus had disappeared Brian received a call at work. It was Chester Blackburn asking Brian to come to his office.

Brian made his way to the man's office as quickly as he could. This was the first time Chester had ever called him in like this. Usually it was Brian who requested a meeting to get an update. He knew something big had to be happening. He just hoped it was a positive report that awaited him when he arrived.

Seated in front of Chester's desk Brian picked at an unseen thread on his pant leg. He glanced up nervously as Chester sat down behind his desk and opened the thick file he had retrieved from a cabinet.

"Christ, Chester, say something!" Brian ordered. They had long ago come to a first name basis in their relationship.

Chester frowned. "It's good and bad."

"Don't play cute. Tell me."

"I know where Gus is and that's the good news."

"He's alive?" Brian asked holding his breath.

Chester nodded. "Alive and seemingly doing fine."

"How … how do you know this?" Brian asked trying to clear the lump from his throat.

"The bad news is he's in Sicily. I know where he is because I've had someone on a boat off the coast of the Garoni property. Here's some pictures that my man took."

Brian took the small pile of photos. There in the first one was a little boy playing in the sand on the beach. It was hard to tell if it was Gus or not. Brian moved on to the next one which was a closer view. The boy certainly looked like Gus. The next one was closer still. Brian's heart began to pound violently in his chest. That was definitely Gus He was alive. And he looked well, a little older maybe, but he seemed healthy and didn't appear to be suffering. Brian ran his finger over the little face in the photo. He longed to touch the face of his son. Reluctantly he moved on to the last picture. It showed Gus with his arms around a middle aged woman who was hugging him. Gus was laughing and she was smiling gently at him.

"Who the fuck is this?" Brian asked holding up the last photo.

"That's Mamma Garoni."

"Mamma Garoni, as in Gianni's mother?"

"That's her."

"And Gus is hugging her?" Brian asked in bewilderment.

"I always figured she was behind the kidnapping. She has quite the reputation in some circles, even worse than her husband."

"But why is Gus hugging her?"

"If she has been the primary caregiver all this time, he probably thinks she is his grandmother. Who knows what Gus was told? They could have said all of you died in an accident. Gus wouldn't know anything different. If they're looking after him, treating him like a grandson, then he would treat them as grandparents."

"Holy fucking Christ!"

"It's not going to be easy getting Gus away from them," Chester said.

"Do you think you can?"

"I've got some ideas in the works, but I'm going to need your help."

"Anything," Brian said staring at the picture of Gus.

"Those were taken with a telephoto lens off a boat along the coast. They were told to keep their distance. We didn't want to alert the Garonis that we're studying what's going on in the compound."

"So how do we get Gus out of this … compound?"

"The only way I can see it happening is by boat. We drive right up to the shore, a couple of my guys grab the kid and we hightail it out of there. And it has to be a total surprise or somebody could die."

"Die! Fuck!"

"I'm not going to sugar coat this, Brian. We could try the legal route but I don't see that working for years if at all. I say we grab Gus just like they did. And … it will be dangerous."

Brian studied the detective. He was effectively putting the life of his son in the hands of this man. He hoped he was doing the right thing. "So what can I do to help?"

"When we get Gus away from them we need to fly him here to the United States immediately. We will need a passport for him and his parents if we are going to get him out of Europe."

Brian hesitated. He wanted to help, but he knew he was going to have to admit something. "I'm not Gus' legal parent."

"What?"

"I agreed to father a baby for his mother, a friend of mine named Lindsay Peterson. She's a lesbian and was in a relationship with Melanie Marcus."

"The lawyer who won the custody case against Gianni Garoni."

"That's right. The one who's responsible for Gus being kidnapped in the first place because of that custody case. I signed over my parental rights to her after Gus was born."

"Shit!"

"My sentiments exactly," Brian said shaking his head.

"So the legal parents are Lindsay and Melanie?"

"Correct. They're the ones who will have to have the passport and be present when Gus is brought back to the States."

"Can you arrange that?" Chester asked.

"I think so. Gus may even have a passport. They went to Canada last year."

"Check that out. Otherwise we'll have to wait until we have one for him. He could also be on one of his mothers' passports."

"I'll find out. Isn't there anything concrete that I can do?" Brian wanted to know.

"We're going to use professionals for this job. I don't want you involved in the actual grab, but you can certainly be there afterwards. Who knows what condition Gus will be in? The more friendly and familiar faces the better."

"Condition? What do you mean about what condition he might be in? He looks fine in the pictures," Brian said with a frown.

"Physically he's fine, but we don't know what they've told him. He may not even recognize you, and he certainly won't know the guys who grab him. He'll be scared and upset."

"Fuck!" Brian replied running his hand through his hair. "Are you sure this is the only way?"

"If you want your son back, this is the only way that I see."

"Then we'll do it."

"Brian, I don't have to tell you that you need to play this close to the vest. The Garonis are powerful in Pittsburgh. If they get wind of what we're planning we don't have a hope in hell."

"I understand," Brian replied. He stood up and extended his hand. "Chester, I'm counting on you. Make sure you hire the best people. This has to work."

"If we all do our best, we can pull it off."

Brian stood outside the door to Melanie's house. He had called both women and told them that they needed to meet. He had refused to say why, wanting to tell them face to face that Gus had been found. Melanie wanted the meeting at her house where Jenny Rebecca could sleep through it, and Melanie wouldn't have to find a babysitter.

Brian took a breath and pressed the buzzer. Lindsay answered the door. He could see a little glimmer of hope in her eyes and he was tempted to tell her immediately. Then he remembered Melanie and decided to tell them both at the same time.

"What's this all about?" Lindsay asked as Brian stepped in.

"Where's Melanie? I'll tell you both at the same time."

"I'm right here," Melanie called from the living room. "Make this quick. I have things to do."

"More important things than your son obviously," Brian retorted. Melanie scowled at him.

"You have news about Gus?" Lindsay asked hopefully. "Oh Brian, please tell me you've found him," Lindsay begged, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I've found him."

Brian found his arms full of a very happy blonde. He hugged Lindsay back and kissed her cheek.

"Where is he? Is he all right? When can I see him? How did you find him?" Lindsay asked without pausing for a breath.

"Sit down and I'll explain," Brian said glancing at Melanie who scowled back at him. She never approved of anything he did.

"I'm sitting. Tell me," Lindsay said leaning forward like she might miss a word if she relaxed back into the sofa.

"A few months ago I hired a private detective."

"I thought you fired that asshole because he cost too much," Melanie interrupted.

"I fired that asshole because he wasn't getting any results at all."

"So you hired another detective after that?" Lindsay asked.

"Yes, he's been working on finding Gus for months."

"Why is that any better than the first guy?" Melanie asked.

"Because he is very systematic in his approach and he has found our son."

"Our son," Melanie corrected.

Melanie always knew how to drive the knife home. Brian winced and said, "He's my son too even though I turned over my parental rights to you. I love Gus and we may have a chance to get him back, but we have to work together."

"Why can't the police get him back?" Lindsay asked with a frown. "Where is he?"

"He's in Sicily with the Garoni family." Brian watched Melanie cringe at his words. He could drive his own knife home when he wanted to.

"Sicily?" Lindsay gasped. "That … that's so far away."

"We all know where the fuck Sicily is," Melanie declared. "So how are we getting him back?"

"We're going to kidnap him," Brian said as if it was the most natural thing in the world. It was far from how he felt about the whole kidnapping thing, but he didn't want to freak the women out.

"Kidnap?" Melanie demanded. "I'm not taking part in a kidnapping."

"Are you fucking insane?" Brian almost screamed. "This is your son. You're not committing a crime. You're righting a crime done against you … against all of us."

"But surely the legal system…"

"Fuck the legal system!" Brian cut her off. "My investigator says that we have little hope of getting Gus out of Sicily legally. The Garonis are just too powerful there. Even if we could do this through legal channels, it could take years."

"No," Lindsay whimpered. "We have to get him back now."

"That's why I'm here. We need you two to come with us to Italy. Does Gus have a passport, or is he on one of yours?"

"He's on mine. I did that when we went to Canada," Lindsay said.

"Good! We'll need it when we bring him back to the States."

"Oh Brian, do you think we can really do this? Will I really get Gus back?"

"We're getting him back," Brian said in his most definite voice.

"I … I can't go to Sicily," Melanie said slowly. "I have Jenny Rebecca to think of."

"You also have your son to think of," Brian stated with a Kinney glare.

"I can't go," Melanie repeated.

"You could leave the baby with her father … or with Deb," Lindsay suggested.

"They have to work … and Jenny needs me."

"And I suppose Gus doesn't," Brian said sarcastically.

"I can't go."

"Fine, then stay the fuck here. Come on, Lindsay, I'll take you home and explain what my investigator wants done." Brian stood and waited for Lindsay to do the same. He couldn't bear to look at Melanie, the woman who held the rights to his son, but wouldn't do anything for Gus if meant the least little problem for her other child. He didn't think he had ever hated Melanie more.

Chapter 10 by Thyme

 

Kidnapped!

" 10 "

Two weeks later Brian and Lindsay landed in Naples Italy. Chester Blackburn met them at the airport and they made their way to the hotel. Chester had been in Italy for most of the time since the decision had been made to kidnap Gus once again. He had wanted to oversee arrangements and make sure that everything would happen like clockwork.

"So everything is in motion?" Brian asked as they walked into the lobby of their hotel.

"Let's wait till we get to the room before we discuss this," Chester said glancing around.

Once Brian and Lindsay were checked in they made their way to their room. Their luggage consisted of a couple of carry-ons. They wouldn't be in Italy very long if everything went as planned. Finally Chester sat down with them to explain what was going to happen.

"You're being so careful about discussing this," Lindsay observed.

"It doesn't pay to take chances," Chester replied.

"Is everything set?" Brian asked.

"It happens tomorrow and we fly out immediately afterward."

"You mean we could have Gus back with us tomorrow?" Lindsay gasped.

"Exactly."

"I … I can't believe it," Lindsay said with tears in her eyes. "We've waited so long."

"How is this going to go down?" Brian asked.

"Everyday at three o'clock Mamma Garoni brings Gus down to the beach," Chester explained.

"What if it rains?"

"Weather forecast is for hot and sunny."

"Let's hope those fuckers are right for once in their miserable lives."

"We'll be on a boat anchored off the shore of the compound. When Gus starts playing in the sand we'll start drifting in, no obvious movement, no engine noise. Usually Mamma dozes off in her chair after a bit. When it looks like she's asleep, we'll dash in and grab the boy."

"Oh," Lindsay gasped. "You won't hurt him, will you?"

"We'll do our best. Once we have him we hightail it towards Reggio Calabria. You're going to drive there tomorrow. I've rented you a car. The boat will dock at Reggio Calabria and you can be there to meet Gus."

"Can't we go with you?" Lindsay asked.

"It's too dangerous," Chester said levelly. "We have enough variables in play already. We don't want anymore."

"We're going to Reggio Calabria," Brian said definitely. "I trust Chester to do this right. Why Reggio Calabria?" Brian asked with a frown.

"It's about an hour by boat from where we'll pick up Gus in Sicily. We expect it will take the guards several minutes to launch their own boat after we grab Gus. We intend to be out of sight by then. We've got some camouflage for the boat that we'll deploy. They won't recognize us. They'll expect us to head for Palermo or Syracuse in Sicily. Reggio Calabria is on the mainland. They won't be expecting that. Once we get to Reggio Calabria, I have booked you on a flight back to Naples. From there you'll fly to Paris and then New York and finally Pittsburgh."

"That doesn't tell me why we're not going to Rome and from there to New York direct. Doesn't that make more sense?"

"That's what they'll be expecting. So, we don't do that."

Brian nodded. Chester certainly seemed to know what he was doing. His route might take a little longer, but if it was safer then that is what they'd do.

"So try to get some rest tonight. The car will be dropped off for you at seven a.m. You will need to set out immediately if you are going to meet us in Reggio Calabria. This has to work with precision," Chester said.

"We'll be ready," Brian assured him.

"Chester," Lindsay said softly, "please bring our son back safely."

"I intend to do just that," Chester said holding Lindsay's hand. "Now I have to go and double check all of the arrangements."

"Thanks," both Lindsay and Brian said as he went quickly out the door.

"Oh God, Brian, this has to work," Lindsay said as she melted into the safety of his arms.

"It will, it will," he repeated hoping that his words would make it so.

The next morning the car arrived on schedule and Lindsay and Brian loaded what luggage they had into the trunk. They had a map of Naples and then a map of Italy so they had plotted their route to Reggio Calabria.

The drive through the south of Italy was beautiful and warm. It was a lovely day. Brian hoped that boded well for the rest of their plans. They stopped in a little village and found a café for some lunch. At that point they were well over halfway to Reggio Calabria. Lindsay had some rudimentary Italian from her art studies and they managed quite well.

Brian could imagine Justin's smile if he had been able to come with them. He would have loved traveling through Italy, but Chester had asked Brian to keep things as simple and uncomplicated as possible. Justin had agreed to stay behind.

As Brian stirred the strong Italian coffee, he promised himself that he would bring Justin to Italy before too long. They both deserved a holiday.

"You're thinking about Justin, aren't you?" Lindsay asked with a smile.

Brian was startled. "And what makes you think that?"

"Your face gets this soft peaceful look when you think of him."

Brian snorted. "Yeah, sure."

"It does. And … I'm glad you have something to think about other than Gus. My stomach is in a knot."

"Mine isn't great either. Chester will make this work," Brian said trying to feel confident.

"Should we get back on the road?" Lindsay asked anxiously.

"We're ahead of schedule, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to get there early."

Lindsay smiled as Brian paid the bill. She wanted Gus safe in her arms. She couldn't calm down until that happened.

Three hours later they pulled into the dock area of Reggio Calabria. Brian read the signs trying to find the exact area where Chester's boat would pull up. He and Lindsay were to stay with the car so that they all, including Chester and Gus, could head immediately to the airport in Reggio Calabria. They would drop the rental car there and catch a flight back to Naples.

Brian got out of the car lighting a cigarette and puffing tightly on it. He wondered if Chester had Gus yet. He could imagine how scared his son would be. He wouldn't know any of the men who were grabbing him. Brian wished he had insisted on accompanying them. But it was too late for that. All he could do was wait and … pray.

"Brian," Lindsay's soft voice said, calling him out of his thoughts. He turned to face her. "I'm so fucking scared." Brian opened his arms and Lindsay leaned into him. She was trembling from head to toe. "Why aren't they here?" she moaned against his throat.

"It's barely time," Brian replied. "Give them a few minutes."

"I … I don't know if I can. I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin."

"You have to be strong … for Gus."

"I'm trying, but how much longer…?"

"I don't know," Brian admitted. "Soon … I hope."

They stood holding onto each other staring out into the harbor. There was nothing visible that looked like their boat, at least what they thought the boat would look like.

"What if something went wrong?" Lindsay asked with a shudder.

"Don't…"

"I … I can't help it. What if they didn't get him? What if someone got hurt? What if he's dead?"

"Don't think like that. They're going to bring him back."

Lindsay buried her face against Brian's shoulder and he could feel the silent sobs that she couldn't hold back any longer.

After a few minutes Brian looked up. He saw a small cigarette style boat heading into the harbor at a speed he knew was much too fast to be an ordinary boat trip. His breath caught in his throat. He could see two men at the helm, but there was no sign of Chester or Gus that he could make out.

Lindsay looked up as she felt Brian tense against her. "What is it?" she asked following the line of Brian's vision. "Is it … is it them?" she asked, fear evident in her voice.

"I think so but I can't see Chester or Gus. I wish I had thought to bring some binoculars."

"They're coming in fast, aren't they?" Lindsay asked clutching Brian's arm.

"Mmm."

"Do you think something's wrong?"

"Don't know," was all Brian said. He refused to voice his own fears. That might make what he suspected true.

They stared out at the boat which began to slow as it came fully into the harbor. It seemed to take forever as it inched its way towards them. This had to be Chester's boat, but where was he? And more to the point, where was Gus?

After what seemed like an eternity, the boat began to turn and line up with the docking facility. That was when Brian noticed a cabin below the helm. That had to be where Gus was.

Finally the boat pulled up alongside the pylons and one of the men hopped out and began securing the lines. As soon as that happened Brian moved forward. He was about to ask where Chester was when he heard wailing from inside the boat. A child's voice was screeching and calling, "Nonna, nonna, nonna."

"Gus!" Brian yelled.

The wailing continued. He could hear the small voice screaming in Italian. He sounded scared and hurt and lost. Brian couldn't wait until the door opened and he could comfort his son.

Chapter 11 by Thyme

 

Kidnapped!

" 11 "

Suddenly the door of the cabin flew open and Chester carried a small body out from the depths. The youngster kicked his feet and struggled and screamed. He did his very best to escape the grasp of Chester Blackburn, but the man had a tight hold on his precious cargo.

"Nonna, nonna," Gus wailed.

"Gus!" Brian and Lindsay both said at the same time. The little boy looked up at them, his face stained with tears and his heart seemingly broken. Lindsay stepped forward and Gus stopped crying as he studied the woman. He looked over at Brian and frowned. "No," he whimpered and turned away. "Nonna!" he called.

"Gus, it's mommy," Lindsay said softly.

"And daddy," Brian added wanting to grab the little boy and hold him tight. He could tell that Gus was frightened and didn't seem to know who they were. Had they brainwashed his son?

"Nonna," Gus cried and shoved his face into Chester's shirt so he didn't have to look at these big people anymore. Tears continued to run down his face.

"What does nonna mean?" Brian asked.

"He's calling for his grandmother," Chester said softly. "Mamma Garoni."

"Fuck," Brian breathed between clenched teeth.

"Gus," Lindsay said, "you remember me, don't you, sweetie?"

Gus looked up at his mother through his tears. He shook his head. Lindsay felt like her heart had been torn from her chest.

"We brought you Jus-Bear," Brian said holding up the little bear he had clutched in his hand ever since he got out of the car. Justin had given Gus the little bear not long after he was born. It had slept in Gus' crib from that day on. When Gus had learned to talk he had called it Jus-Bear after Justin.

Gus frowned and stared at the little stuffed animal. He seemed to be fighting an internal battle with himself. He struggled against Chester for a moment and then suddenly his demeanor changed as if a thick cover had been peeled away from his eyes. "Jus-Bear!" Gus gasped and a small smile shone through the tears. "Daddy! Mommy!"

Chester set Gus down on the dock and the little boy ran towards his parents, grabbing Jus-Bear from his father's hand and clutching it to his chest. He squeezed it so hard Brian thought the seams might pop. Then Gus looked up at his mother and father and held out his arms for them to pick him up.

Brian scooped him up and smothered his face in kisses. Gus started to giggle as Lindsay kissed his cheek and the two adults sandwiched him between them.

Lindsay breathed, "Gus, Gus, Gus," over and over again.

"I love you, Sonny Boy," Brian whispered as he held the little body tight against him.

"I love you too, sweetheart, lambskin, baby," Lindsay cooed.

Finally Brian allowed Lindsay to take the little boy from him. He watched as Lindsay tearfully kissed and stared at her son. He couldn't stop the smile that spread across his face.

After a minute he felt Chester step up beside him. "We need to get moving," he said in a matter of fact voice.

"In a minute," Brian agreed unable to take his eyes off his son. "How can I ever thank you?"

"You'll get my bill in a couple of days, and it'll be a doozey!"

"And worth every penny. Thanks, Chester," Brian said turning and shaking the man's hand.

"I know you think this is over, but we still have to get Gus back to the States. We need to go now."

Brian nodded. "Lindsay," he said softly, "we need to get going."

Lindsay turned a radiant smile to her son's father. Brian thought he had never seen her look so happy or so beautiful. "I'm ready," she said. "Let's go home."

Chester, Gus, Lindsay and Brian climbed into the car they had driven from Naples and headed for the airport in Reggio Calabria. It wasn't a long trip with Brian driving and Chester navigating. Chester was going to accompany them all the way back to Pittsburgh. He hoped to facilitate things in the airports and make the trip as easy and uneventful as possible.

The small airport at Reggio Calabria posed no problems for them. They got on a regional jet with few questions. Gus had calmed down and hugged Jus-Bear happily. He seemed to have forgotten about nonna, at least for a while. Brian wondered if his son would need some counseling down the road.

On the plane Brian sat beside Chester while Lindsay shared a double seat with Gus. The little boy fell asleep as soon as they were in the air.

Brian turned to Chester. "So how did it go?"

"Don't ask. We got Gus. That's all that's important."

"I don't much like the sound of that, Chester."

"Nobody died. The boy is safe and my men will dispose of the boat. They won't be able to trace us."

"You think it's that simple?"

"It just might be," Chester said. He stared off into space. "The senior Garoni was most pissed with his wife when she spearheaded the kidnapping of your son. He likes to stay out of the spotlight, and this directed a lot of attention to things he wanted to keep hidden. That's why he banished his wife to Sicily. I doubt she'll ever be back, and the old man certainly won't come after Gus."

"What about Gianni?"

"He's in his father's bad books too, so he shouldn't cause you any problems."

Brian let out a long breath. This was the first time he had allowed himself to think beyond getting Gus back. Maybe they could actually get their lives back. "I sure as fuck hope you're right," Brian said with a sigh. He was ready to be home with Justin. Jus-Bear didn't quite make the cut, although he had had the little bear with him all the way to Naples and Reggio Calabria.

"We're descending to land in Naples," Chester said as the 'fasten seat belt' sign came on. "Once we get through here, we're home free."

The switch of planes in Naples went uneventfully, as did Paris. They all tried to sleep on the trans-Atlantic flight, but it was fitful at best. Gus was the only one who seemed to rest without any worries. The youthful brain was a true marvel, especially after everything Gus had been through.

As they landed in New York, they all held their breath. Customs and immigration would be the last hurdle to them getting safely back to Pittsburgh. Chester had told them to come up with some feasible story about why they would have flown to Naples for a weekend. Brian, being the true ad man he was, had come up with a good one. They let him do the talking for the group.

Chester went into a different line at customs thinking it was best they not be associated with each other. He had been away on business in Italy as he would tell the agent.

"Yes, officer," Brian said sweetly. "It was a lovely wedding. My brother is now married to a sweet Italian girl and all is right with the world."

The agent stamped Brian's passport, glanced at Lindsay's and Gus' page and stamped theirs too. They quickly exited the area and went to find the gate for their flight to Pittsburgh.

"You were so sickeningly sweet about that wedding," Lindsay said as Brian carried Gus and she toted the carry-on. "I didn't think you had it in you."

"It's amazing what I would do for this little guy." Brian leaned down and kissed the top of Gus' head. The little boy smiled at his father, seemingly happy to be going home. He still clutched Jus-Bear in his arms.

"Not so amazing," Lindsay said softly, understanding how much Brian loved his son even when he didn't openly show it most of the time.

A couple of hours later they landed in Pittsburgh. Brian and Lindsay each drew a deep breath as they exited the security area. They knew Melanie and Justin would be waiting for them. They had asked everyone else to stay away, not wanting to frighten Gus with too many almost strangers at once.

"Brian," Justin called with a huge smile on his face.

Brian was carrying Gus and he gave Justin the thumbs up sign and a big grin as he came out from behind the barrier.

Justin flung his arms around Brian and Gus both. "Gus, I'm so happy you're home."

Gus held up Jus-Bear and smiled. "Justin," he said softly.

"Did Jus-Bear help you come home safely?" Justin asked. "We missed you so much."

Justin turned and gave Lindsay a big hug. Melanie had been hanging back.

"Gus?" she finally said holding out her arms. Gus turned away and buried his face against his father's shoulder. "Gus?" she said again. Gus whimpered audibly.

Melanie looked thunderstruck, then angry.

"He has to get used to people all over again," Lindsay said to soften the blow of Gus turning away from his other mother. "He didn't know us at first either."

"But he does now," Melanie said with a definite edge to her voice. "And he knows Justin."

"Seems so," Brian smirked finding it impossible not to enjoy just a bit of Melanie's distress.

"What the fuck have you told him about me?" Melanie demanded.

"Mel," Lindsay began with a sigh. "We haven't told him anything. He has been through a lot. Don't push it. Don't make a scene. Don't upset him."

"Fuck you!" Melanie said through clenched teeth. "He's my son too."

"Not for long, if I have anything to do with it," Brian stated. "I'm going to petition to get my parental rights back."

"Fuck you!"

"Let's get a cab into town," Brian said. "Melanie can find her own way home."

With a backward glance with only the merest tinge of regret, Lindsay joined Brian and Justin as they headed for the cab line. Her relationship with Melanie was effectively over. She would make sure Brian got his parental rights back. He deserved them.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1400