Throwing Stones by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

The sequel to Glass Houses - sometimes stones get thrown, and there are consequences.


Story #54 of the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 33683 Read: 14022 Published: Jan 16, 2019 Updated: Jan 16, 2019

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine




Throwing Stones

Chapter 1





“Kinney, where is my son?” Melanie demanded as she marched over to Brian and Debbie.

“Melanie, so lovely to see you again,” Brian said in his fake, sweet voice. “How the fuck did you get through the gate?”

“Someone was leaving,” she stated, ignoring Brian’s tone of voice.

“Todd!” both Debbie and Brian replied. Todd and Gerry had found some quiet space to explore kissing to a greater effect. They must have finished for the night.

“I want to see my son,” Melanie repeated in her most caustic tone. “And don’t even think about trying to stop me!”

“Gus and Ray may already have retired,” Brian responded in his most gentlemanly voice. “I don’t think they wish to be interrupted.”

Debbie did her best to stifle a laugh. Melanie was the mother of her granddaughter after all.

“I just flew for five hours and drove for another hour. I want to see my son.”

“Come back in the morning,” Brian replied, his patience at its end.

“I want to see Gus now!”

“What part of in the morning don’t you understand?”

“I don’t take orders from you, asshole!”

“This is private property in case you’ve forgotten, and technically you’re trespassing. Do I have to call the gendarmes?”

“Asshole!” Melanie repeated.

“Mel.”

“And who do we have here – the new girlfriend, I presume,” Brian said sarcastically.

“Lorna Dunlop,” the woman said extending her hand as she came up beside Melanie.

Brian ignored the hand. “I suggest you get her out of here right now.”

Melanie sputtered looking for the most awful and disgusting thing she could call Brian Kinney.

“May we see Gus in the morning if we leave now?” Lorna asked coldly.

“I think that can be arranged … if Gus agrees,” Brian stated a little taken aback by the cool and somehow threatening demeanor of this quiet woman. She would not fly off the handle the way Mel did, but she might be even more dangerous.

“Let’s go, Mel,” Lorna said turning on her heel and heading back to the rental car they had arrived in.

“But…” Mel began.

“Mel!” Lorna commanded.

“I will be here in the morning. Count on it,” Melanie said as she hurried over to the car and got in.

“Call first,” Brian ordered.

The car wheeled around and headed down the lane.

“You okay, kiddo,” Debbie asked rubbing Brian’s arm.

“My fucking foot hurts worse than ever.” Melanie Marcus could still push his buttons.

“Go to bed. Let Justin take care of you,” Debbie advised.

“Night, Maw,” Brian said as he limped towards the house.

Debbie opened the door of the RV. Maybe Carl could offer her some comfort just like she knew Justin would do for Brian. “Oh Carl,” she said sweetly as she entered the RV.



*****



The family was gathered around the big table in the sun porch for breakfast the next morning. Gus and Ray had yet to come up for air, but everyone else was there. Debbie leaned over to Brian and asked if he had spoken to Gus. Brian shook his head. Debbie frowned and shrugged. They didn’t need any more surprises like last night.

“Hey, Gerry,” Emmett said with a toothy grin. “I saw you and Todd getting mighty cozy.”

“What’s it to you?” Gerry asked but he smiled in spite of his severe tone.

“Oh nothing,” Emmett grinned. “I just love romance.”

“That he does,” Drew said with a chuckle. He kissed Emmett’s cheek.

“The big fairy never gets enough,” Brian threw in.

“Well,” Gerry said slowly, “I find Todd very … interesting.”

“Ooh, interesting,” Emmett teased. “That means he’s a good kisser.”

“Hey, were we under surveillance last night?” Gerry demanded.

“Gerry,” Justin interrupted. “Nobody was watching you, and some of us need to learn when to stop teasing.” Justin looked pointedly at Emmett.

“Um, sorry if I’m intruding in private matters,” Emmett apologized.

“No you’re not,” Brian said with a smirk.

Emmett stuck his tongue out at Brian. “I was just having a little fun,” Emmett said.

“He does that to everybody,” Richie noted having received his fair share of comments about himself and Candy.

“We all like to see people happy,” Justin continued. “It was pretty obvious that you and Todd hit it off. I think it’s great,” he added.

Brian reached over and squeezed Justin’s hand. He was glad to see his lover was feeling better. Lately Justin would have ignored that whole conversation, lost somewhere inside himself, inside his memories and emotions.

Justin smiled up at his husband. “Love you,” he mouthed.

Brian stared into the blue eyes. They were clearer this morning. Maybe helping Brian deal with Melanie’s unexpected and upsetting visit had been therapeutic for Justin too. After a minute Justin looked away, indicating that although things were better, they were far from perfect.

Brian sighed just as the phone rang. “I wonder who that could be,” Brian said sarcastically as Bree ran to get him the portable phone.

“What?” he snapped into the receiver.

“I’m ready to see my son,” Melanie’s voice came back at him.

“He isn’t up yet.”

“Get him up.”

“In case you haven’t noticed, I don’t take fucking orders from you,” Brian snapped back at her.

Everyone at the table was listening. Most of them had heard about Melanie’s late night visit from Debbie.

“You said I could see my son today. I’m calling as you requested,” Melanie said.

Brian could almost hear her grinding her teeth in frustration. He was almost tempted to let her stew some more, but he didn’t want her all over Gus due to his father’s behavior.

“Come for lunch,” Brian said. “We’ll try to be civilized.”

“You! Civilized! I don’t think so.”

Brian bit off the expletive that he so wanted to use. All eyes were on him. “One o’clock,” he said and cut the connection. He handed the phone to Bree after turning off the ringer. “Put that someplace far away from me,” Brian informed his daughter.

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree said before she ran into the house with the phone.

“We may never see that phone again,” Justin reminded him.

“That would suit me just fine.”

“Should we get the boys up?” Justin asked. He seemed relieved to have something different to concentrate on.

“Let’s send Bree,” Brian suggested his tongue in cheek.

“You are evil,” Bobby laughed.

“My middle name.”

“I thought it was asshole,” Drew said with a straight face.

“As the occasion calls for,” Brian replied smugly.

“Dada,” Bree said as she returned, “I put it in my room.”

“Good girl,” Brian responded.

“Dada, is Ashley coming today?”

“No, Squirt, tomorrow is the first day of summer school. Her mother’s bringing her in the morning.”

“Oh,” Bree said dejectedly. She had wanted to have Ashley at the fireworks, but the little girl and her mother had gone to see Ashley’s father.

“But I have a job for you,” Brian said with an evil grin to match Bobby’s appellation for him.

“You do?” Bree asked with a frown. “What?”

“I want you to go wake up your brother and Ray.”

“But you said I was never to open their door without you or Daddy being with me,” Bree said innocently.

Everyone at the table snickered knowingly. Bree looked at them not understanding.

“That’s right, but I don’t want you to open the door.”

“Then how do I wake Gus up?”

“You know what you always say when you first see Gus, especially after he’s been away for a long time.”

“Yes.”

“That’s what I want you to do.”

“Are you sure?” Bree asked with some misgiving.

“Very sure.”

“But what if that doesn’t wake him up? His door is real thick.”

“Then you have my permission to pound on it.”

“Really, Dada?”

“Really.”

“’Kay,” she responded and then ran into the house.

“GUUUUUUUSSSSSSSS!” they could all hear her screaming as she ran down the hall.

“She’s not going to do your dirty work for you much longer,” John said with a laugh.

“I can always get her on my side,” Brian bragged.

“I wouldn’t be too sure,” Ted said. “I think she’s smarter than all of us put together.”

Everyone laughed, before another shrill “GUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSS!” echoed through the house.

They heard a door slam open. “Hey,” a voice said, “is the house on fire? Are you on fire?”

The laughter at the table continued as they were all picturing a possibly naked Gus being jumped by a petite little blonde who would be all over him.



*****



“Morning,” Ben greeted Michael with a tray. The tray held all of Michael’s favorite breakfast foods. Michael was just waking up from a fitful sleep. They had watched the local Fourth of July firework display on TV the night before.

“Hi,” Michael said trying to rub the sleep out of his eyes. Ben set the tray on the bedside table, kissed his spouse then propped Michael up with pillows. “Thank you,” Michael said as Ben set the tray down in front of him.

“I made all of your favorites,” Ben said pensively hoping that something would entice Michael to eat. Michael’s appetite had diminished over the last few weeks.

“It looks good,” Michael said appreciatively as he picked up a piece of crispy bacon. “Mmm,” he smiled. Ben gratefully smiled back.

“Michael, I don’t want you to get upset but I had a call from Brian this morning.” Michael stopped chewing to look at Ben. “He said that your mother suspects that something’s up.”

“What did she do?”

“Got angry at Brian for not telling her anything. He thinks we should tell her.”

Michael nodded. He didn’t like hiding things from her or JR. “What else?”

“Mel’s back.” Michael groaned. “Yeah. Right now she’s gunning for Brian. She thinks he’s keeping Gus away from her but it’s only a matter of time till she comes for us and JR.”

“So what should we do?”

“Nothing, for now. JR is old enough to know what she wants for her life. And as much as she loves her mother, she loves you and her life here. This is her home; this is where she wants to be.”

“But what if Melanie sues us for custody?”

“I don’t think she will but I’ll call Bobby and see if he has a suggestion. Right now your main focus is to rest and get better.”

“Is that an order?” Michael asked as he smiled lovingly up at his spouse.

“Yes, it is and I want you to eat.”

“Yes, sir!”

“I’ll call Brian to check on how it’s going. I do think you should call your mother.”

“Okay.” Ben turned to leave the room as Michael took a bite out of his toast. “Ben?” Ben looked back. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Ben replied with relief as he left the room.



*****



Gus and Ray stumbled into the sun porch with Bree who was hitching a ride on Gus’ back. “Okay, who’s the wise-ass that sicced Bree on me?” Gus glared at the not so innocent looking adults sitting around the big table. The aroma of strong coffee and breakfast was perking him up.

No one said a word but they all pointed a finger at Brian.

“I should have known. What did I do now, Pop?” Gus asked as he deposited his sister on their dad’s lap. She scurried down so she could sit at the big table in the porch and have some more breakfast.

“Nothing but I need you awake and alert. I have something to tell you,” Brian said in a serious tone. Brian got up and walked with Gus to the door of the sun porch. They stepped outside so they could have some privacy.

“I don’t think I’m going to like this, am I?”

“It’s not that bad, Sonny Boy. Mel’s here. She flew in on her broomstick last night after everyone went to bed.”

“Mama’s here?”

“In the flesh, and she’s not alone.”

“Lorna?”

“Yeah. She was demanding to see you but I stalled until one this afternoon. Mel’s your mom so I’m not getting involved, plus you’re almost twenty so I got nothing to say about what you do. Just remember what you do might affect your mother, JR and Michael.”

“Michael?”

“Yes. Listen, I’m going to tell you something in confidence. You cannot repeat this.”

“I swear, Dad.”

“Michael’s sick, some sort of weird virus, not HIV. But it’s going to take a while for him to get stronger.”

“Does Grandmaw know?”

“She knows something’s wrong but not the details. Michael and Ben want to tell her themselves when they’re ready. That’s why all the cloak and dagger shit. You love Mel and I have no problem with that. You do whatever you need to do and know that I love you.” Gus reached up to hug his father.

“I love you, Pop. I do love Mama but I won’t let her hurt you, us, all of us,” Gus whispered.

“I know you won’t, Sonny Boy.” Father and son stayed wrapped around each other for a few moments. “Go on inside and eat. You’ll need your strength, for many reasons,” Brian teased.

“Oh Pop.”

“Hey, I’m not so old that I don’t remember what you boys do.”

“Don’t remind me. It’s a lot to live up to, the Stud of Liberty Avenue.”

Brian made a face. “Just play safe.”

“I am. We are.”

“Good. Let’s go join the rest of the family.”



*****



“Why do you hate him so much?” Lorna gently asked as Mel was combing her hair. She and Mel drove all the way back into Pittsburgh after being dismissed by Brian. They found a hotel just outside of town to call home base for the length of their stay.

“You mean besides being a hedonistic, self-serving son of a bitch,” Mel spat out.

“So tell me how you really feel.”

“I don’t know. For years I hated everything he stood for.”

“And what did he stand for?”

“A horny male prick!”

“It goes with the territory; he’s a man, a gay man. I’m sure he had his share of tricks.”

“More than his share and he's had everyone else’s share as well. I once defended him in a sexual harassment suit.”

“That’s hard to win. What was your platform?”

“The fact that he could do two to three tricks per day without breaking a sweat, so he didn’t need to harass anyone for sex. All Brian Kinney needed to do was look at a man and he’d drop his pants. I imagine if he still wanted to, he could.”

“But he doesn’t?”

“As far as I know, the minute he made his commitment to Justin, he’s never done another trick.”

“And you resent him for that?”

“No! Yes. Maybe. I resent that everything he does turns to gold. Every project, every business endeavor, every ad campaign. Everything! And he knows it. Everything he touches.”

“You’re jealous.”

“I am not!”

“Sure you are and there’s something else about him you’re not telling me.” Melanie mumbled something. “I didn’t get that.”

“He slept with my wife!” Melanie shrieked.

“When you were married?”

“No. FUCK! When they were in college, before either one of them came out. They experimented with each other.”

“Experimented?”

“Lovers but they soon realized they preferred their own gender.”

“But according to you that was way before you met Lindsay.”

“Yeah, so?”

“So you’re condemning him for something that happened before you even knew Lindsay. And does he hate you as well?”

“I don’t know and I don’t care. Whose side are you on anyway?”

“Yours, but I don’t understand your hatred for Kinney. He’s successful, good looking, loves his family, sounds a lot like you.”

“I’m nothing like him!”

“Maybe,” Lorna said as she turned to walk away.

“Where are you going?”

“Shower. I need a shower.”

“Sure.” Melanie watched Lorna walk into the bathroom. She didn’t point out that Lorna had already taken a shower.



*****



“Anybody home?” Brian called out as he knocked on the glass door of Molly’s cottage.

“Hi,” Lindsay said as she answered the door.

“You guys didn’t come up for breakfast,” Brian said.

“I thought you could use a break. I know you have a cottage full. Besides, we’re having a girls’ morning,” Lindsay said with a beatific smile. “Want some coffee?”

“Sure,” Brian said as he came into the pretty little cottage and looked around.

“She made this into such a cozy home, didn’t she?” Lindsay said referring to Molly and her decor for her little getaway cottage.

“Yes, she did. And she’s just as creative at Kinnetik. Cynthia is grooming her to take her place.”

“Is Cynthia planning to retire?”

“Not anytime soon, but she wants someone with similar values.”

“And you both think Molly is it.”

“Yes.”

“Brian, you didn’t come down here for my coffee and to talk about Molly.” Brian shook his head. “What is it?”

“Mel’s back,” was all he said.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 2






Gus looked at himself in the mirror. He had tried on three different combinations of shorts and T-shirts. With a sigh he started to pull the T-shirt over his head.

“You look great,” Ray said coming up behind him.

“It’s just not right.”

“It’s almost the same as the other ones you had on, and they looked yummy too.”

“Yummy?” Gus asked with a chuckle.

“I’ve been hanging around Bree too much since I’ve been here.”

“I just want Mama to see that I’m doing great. I don’t want her to find fault and make everyone … miserable.”

“She loves you, you look wonderful like always, and she’s not going to make things miserable. Just stay calm and positive, and everything will be fine.”

“I wish!”

“Take it from me,” Ray insisted.

“I love you,” Gus said turning and pulling Ray against him. They kissed for a few minutes both getting aroused.

“I think we better stop,” Ray groaned. “It won’t make quite the right impression if we’re naked in bed when she arrives.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Gus agreed reluctantly. “I do love you.”

“You better,” Ray teased. “I didn’t leave all the excitement of New York City to come here to Nowhere Pennsylvania to be dumped.”

Gus laughed. “I’m going to tell the family you called this Nowhere Pennsylvania.”

“I … I was just kidding. Don’t tell them. They’ll roast me alive on one of the barbecues,” Ray begged in mock fear.

“Too late, buddy. You’ve sealed your fate.”

“Then I’ll die a happy man,” Ray declared giving Gus a sweet kiss.

“I guess I better go out there and make sure things are ready for Mama.”

“Your dads are supervising the lunch. It will be great.”

“Yeah, but I need to make sure they don’t slip a little arsenic into the salad,” Gus joked.

“Your mother sure causes a lot of upheaval.”

“She always has marched to her own drum.”

“And tried to make others follow her,” Ray said wisely.

Gus nodded his head in agreement. “She’s not the easiest person to live with or deal with.”

“Sounds like this Lorna person has her work cut out for her.”

“I just hope I can hold it all together with Mama. I don’t want a fight,” Gus said.

“You’ll be great,” Ray assured him. “And I’ll be around if you need backup.”

Gus smiled at that comment. “Let’s go see if lunch is ready.”

“With or without arsenic,” Ray laughed as they headed out of the bedroom.

“Is she here yet?” Gus asked his father as the boys entered the kitchen.

Brian shook his head. “It’s after one, but trust your mother to make us wait.”

“It’s one of her tactics,” Gus said with a wry smile.

“I have a few tactics of my own,” Brian replied.

“Like…?”

“Look in the sun porch.”

Gus and Ray walked to the entrance to the sun porch. Luncheon was laid out on the big table which was surrounded with all the family and friends who were in attendance in the lane, including Lindsay, who said she was perfectly strong enough to face Melanie. Danny and Riley were there too. They had returned from their cottage for this special occasion. Debbie had let them know what was going down.

“Strength in numbers?” Gus asked.

“Something like that,” Brian responded.

The buzzer sounded indicating that a guest was at the gate. Brian pushed the button to open the gate without even asking who was there. The less he had to speak to Melanie Marcus the better.

Everyone around the table waited quietly for Mel and her new love to appear. Gus went to the front door to let them in.

“Mama,” Gus said hugging his mother when she got out of the rental car.

“I missed you,” Melanie replied touching Gus’ cheek softly. “I wish you had come to Portland. We could have had a lovely time.”

“But you’re here now,” Gus said, steering away from the topic of Portland. “This is what’s important.”

“Right,” Melanie agreed slowly, “and I brought Lorna.”

“Hi, Lorna,” Gus said cheerfully. Lorna nodded at him as she also got out of the car.
“Lunch is ready.”

“Am I invited too?” Lorna asked.

“Of course,” Gus replied as he ushered the ladies into the house.

At the entrance to the sun porch, Melanie stopped abruptly and drew in a sharp breath. “I see the gang’s all here,” she said rather flustered. “I thought it would just be you and I.” She gave Gus a withering look.

“And Lorna,” Gus couldn’t stop himself from adding.

“Hi, Mama,” JR said going over to give her mother a hug.

“My goodness, sweetheart, you grow up more every time I see you,” Melanie said as she released her daughter from the hug. “You remember Lorna.”

“Sure.”

“Come and sit down, Mel,” Debbie ordered. “You too, Lorna was it?”

“Yes, Lorna,” Lorna replied feeling a little overwhelmed by the sea of faces in front of her.

“We thought we’d let you eat and meet people as the occasion arises,” Debbie said. “You’d never remember everyone’s name anyway if we all introduced ourselves, and the fucking salads would all get warm. We don’t want no ptomaine,” Debbie laughed heartily.

“You can sit beside me, Mama,” JR volunteered.

“Thanks, honey.”

“Miss Lorna, you can sit beside me,” Bree said courteously.

“Thank you,” Lorna replied. “And your name is…?”

“Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree told her.

“I see.” Lorna sat down beside the petite girl.

Everyone began passing the salads and dishing up the cold cuts. The cold lunch was very refreshing for a hot day. Emmett sent the pitcher of lemonade one direction and the pitcher of iced tea the other. When everyone had food and drink they started to dig in with quiet conversations starting up at various places around the table. Lorna ate some salad and found it quite delicious. As she chewed, she watched the dynamics of the group.

Melanie and JR were speaking to each other to the exclusion of everyone else. Gus looked strangely at his mother who had supposedly come there to see him. He leaned frequently against the dark young man next to him. That must be his boyfriend, Lorna thought. She studied the man across the table from her. He looked an awful lot like Brian Kinney and his son. He must be related to them.

“Patrick, could you get another pitcher of lemonade out of the fridge?” the man asked the red headed boy next to him. “This one’s almost empty.”

“Okay, Dad.” Patrick left the table.

They certainly had well behaved children, if nothing else, Lorna noted. She observed the woman who had been with Brian in the lane – the fiery redhead, too old to have hair of such a color. She was talking to a tall blond. Lindsay! Lorna made that realization with a bit of shock. She hadn’t expected Melanie’s ex to be in attendance. Melanie had said that Lindsay was too much of a wimp to show up even if she was staying at the cottage. Looked like Mel got that one wrong too.”

“Care for more iced tea?” John asked Lorna, since her glass was almost empty.

“Yes, thank you.” She held out the glass for John to fill.

As John poured, he asked, “I hope you had a good trip here.”

“It was long and boring,” Lorna replied. She had never been one to make small talk. “Are you related to Mr. Kinney?” she decided to ask.

“I’m Brian’s brother, John Anderson.”

“Oh, why aren’t you named Kinney?”

“I’m Brian’s half-brother.”

“Oh! There certainly is a strong family resemblance.”

“We sometimes get mistaken for each other, but I’m the handsome one,” John joked.

Lorna gave a little laugh. She had rarely seen such a handsome family. This man obviously could be very charming, she noted, unlike his rude and blunt brother that Melanie detested. She turned her attention to Brian Kinney for a moment.

“Dada,” Bree was whispering, “can I have some more carrot sticks?”

“I think that can be arranged, Squirt,” Brian replied.

“Can I go swimming later?” she asked.

“When our guests leave, we’ll see,” he replied non-committally.

“Okay, Dada.”

“She’s a very polite little girl,” Lorna said deciding to speak to the infamous man himself. This would be a good ice breaker.

“Yes, she is,” Brian responded.

“My daddies always tell me to be polite,” Bree informed Lorna.

“That’s a very good practice.”

“I don’t practice,” Bree replied. “I am polite.”

“And she shares too. Don’t you, Squirt?” Brian said tongue in cheek.

“Yes, Dada.”

“Where will you swim?” Lorna asked. “I didn’t see a pool.”

“We go to the stream. That way!” Bree said pointing to the path near the Wendy house.

“Is this greenhouse new?” Lorna asked Brian.

“Yes, Justin and I went to Hawaii for our anniversary. We both loved the tropical flowers, so we’re going to try to grow some.”

“I love gar-gar,” Bree declared.

“What’s gar-gar?”

“It’s our pet name for gardening,” Brian explained. “Bree and I have gardened together ever since she could walk. Right, Squirt?”

“Right, Dada.”

Lorna took a sip of her iced tea. She was fascinated by this man who gardened with his daughter, took his husband on trips to Hawaii and had this large extended family who were obviously there to support Gus. She had trouble understanding what Melanie hated about Brian Kinney, other than his success.

“I thought we could all make ice cream sundaes for dessert,” Emmett announced as people had finished up with the salads. “I’m going to put on coffee and tea for anyone who wants it, and the fixings for sundaes will be on the counter in the kitchen.” Emmett disappeared into the house.

“I’m going to give Emmett a hand,” Brian said to the blond man next to him, who Lorna surmised must be Brian’s husband. Lorna watched him go, noting the cast on his foot. She wondered what had happened.

“He has a very bad sprain,” Justin informed her.

“My Dada fell down,” Bree told Lorna.

“That’s too bad.”

“But he’s getting better. He had to use crutches before. I help him and Daddy do their therapy,” Bree said proudly.

“That’s very good of you.”

Bree smiled then her forehead wrinkled in a frown. “Do you live with Auntie Mel?”

“Yes.”

“Do you love her?”

“We’re in a relationship,” Lorna replied carefully.

“She used to love my Auntie Lindsay.”

“Is that right?”

“Yes, and now she’s gone far away.”

“We live in Portland.”

“Oh.”

“Do you like ice cream sundaes?” Lorna asked, deciding she had been grilled by the petite blonde for long enough.

“Oh yes!”

“Well, it looks like you better get into the kitchen before it’s all gone.”

Bree saw that most of the people at the table had already gone to get their sundaes. “My Dada will save me some,” she said confidently, but she hopped down and ran for the kitchen.

Lorna smiled to herself. Briana was certainly an interesting child. She watched Gus stand up and say a few words to Melanie before he and JR went into the kitchen.

“Charming group, aren’t they?” Melanie griped as she moved over to sit beside Lorna.

“They seem very pleasant actually.”

“Yeah right, pleasant,” Melanie scoffed.

Lorna drew in a breath. Melanie just didn’t seem to get the fact that she was holding a grudge that had long been forgotten by everyone else.

“What did Gus say to you?”

“He thought we should take a walk to the stream after he has his sundae. We can talk there alone. Will you be all right here?”

“Your former friends and family don’t scare me. I’ll be fine,” Lorna declared.

“Just stay away from Kinney.”

“I might,” Lorna said, “but he is interesting.”

“You’ve been using that word a lot lately.”

“I thought fascinating was a bit strong,” Lorna said. Melanie made a face. “Come on, let’s get one of those sundaes before the ice cream’s all gone.” Lorna grabbed Melanie’s hand and dragged her into the kitchen.



*****



“Would you like a tour?” Brian asked Lorna without any snark. Lorna had been standing in the garden just outside the sun porch admiring the flowers in full bloom.

After dessert Mel and Gus took a walk toward the stream. Bree invited JR, Candy and Richie to the Wendy House to play, draw and just hang out while Mel and Gus visited. Bobby and Patrick persuaded John to join them in a little pitching and batting practice while Emmett helped Justin clean up the kitchen. He offered to hang around for moral support. Justin appreciated the gesture but told Drew to take his partner home because he had worked hard enough during the barbecue. Debbie, Carl and Lindsay sat in the sun porch just enjoying the afternoon and of course, to be available for Gus.

“Excuse me?” Lorna asked not quite believing that the dreaded Brian Kinney could address anyone civilly.

“Would you like a tour of the gardens and the lane? Mel and Gus may be a while,” he again asked in a sincere tone.

“Your leg.”

“It’s fine. I’m allowed to walk on it as long as I use the walking boot and cane.”

“Then yes, I’d love to see your garden. Thank you.”

Brian slowly took Lorna through the gardens of the conjoined cottages and then down the path toward the new greenhouse.

“These flowers are phenomenal. The weather is so dreary in Portland that we have a short growing season.”

“I imagine you can find something native to grow.”

“I guess so but I found out a long time ago that I have a brown thumb instead of green. I even killed a cactus,” Lorna said as she made a pitiful face.

Brian giggled making his handsome face even more so. “It took a while and a lot of dead plants to figure out the best combinations and what works well out here. We need hardy plants. It gets really hot in summer and the winters can be brutal.”

“It’s beautiful,” Lorna said as she took one last look at the garden before they entered the greenhouse. “Oh my!” she gasped as she took it all in. “And you just did this?”

“My brother built it for me. Somehow he transcribed my scribbles into all of this,” Brian explained as he showed Lorna a framed set of drawings that John had hung on the wall at the front of the greenhouse. “When Justin and I were in Hawaii we visited a museum that had a huge greenhouse with palms and tropical flowers. I was sitting and started to doodle. John is a very talented architect; he created this,” Brian said proudly as he pointed to the greenhouse plans.

“This is amazing,” Lorna exclaimed as they strolled through the aisle and ended up at the pond. “It looks like the water is flowing right out of the wall!”

Brian smiled. “That’s how we wanted it. I have a business partner at the garden center; he helped me to create this after I described the look I was going for.”

“It’s so surreal. You’ve created a tropical paradise in the middle of nowhere. This may sound like a dumb question, but why?”

“Why what?”

“Why do all this? You have a beautiful garden, why go through all this trouble for more plants?”

Brian was shocked that someone would question his motives when it all seemed so simple to him and his family. “My daughter and I miss it during the winter,” Brian said softly. Lorna could only nod.

“Why a cottage? Why all these cottages?” Lorna asked as if she were cross-examining Brian. Brian bristled, ready to strike back with sarcasm in the way only Brian Kinney could, but he stopped himself. He sat at the edge of the pond.

“When Justin found out that I had a brother, we visited his home. On his property was a cottage that John and his mother would occasionally rent out. Before John and Bobby got married, Justin and I would stay at the cottage when we visited. And then the boys moved in when they got hitched. Justin’s mother is a realtor; she found the ruins of the cottage we now live in. John restored it.”

“It’s beautiful.”

“He surpassed all my dreams for the place. Later on, the four of us found that we really liked each other. John moved his cottage and joined it to ours via the sun porch.”

“Incredible.”

“Drew asked for a piece of land and had John build a cottage for Emmett. Molly wanted a quiet little place for her and her family.”

“And the house at the top of the lane?”

“Long story, but John rescued it for Rachel and her family. Rachel is Bobby’s sister. And that’s the condensed version about Edna’s Treasures. But I’m sure Mel has filled you in on all of this.” Brian waved his hand in the air.

“No, she hasn’t. Believe it or not, Melanie doesn’t like to talk about her past. Edna’s Treasures?”

“That’s a whole other story.”

“I think I’d like to hear it.”

“Why? Why are you so interested? Why are you here?”

“I came with Mel.”

“With Mel, not for Mel?” Brian asked with an arch of his brow as he stood straight and tall. Lorna was almost as tall as Lindsay but not quite. Brian towered over her. “Look, let’s stop with the bullshit. I could care less if you and Mel are here, in Portland, or in fucking Oshkosh. My son, JR and Lindsay have been hurt enough. They deserve better.”

“And Melanie, what does she deserve? Didn’t she deserve better?”

“She has you, doesn’t she? She has her new life. From what I hear, it doesn’t get better than that. What more does she want?”

“Her children.”

“No one is keeping Melanie away from her children, least of all me. She doesn’t need my help; she’s accomplishing that all by herself.”

“Why do you say that?” Lorna was using everything she could to turn the focus back onto Brian.

“You’re a very smart woman, you don’t need my answer.”

“But I’d like to hear it all the same.”

“Melanie is beautiful, talented and she had to fight for everything she’s earned. I admire that, but I don’t think she’s ever learned to appreciate what she has. Mel’s children love her but she raised them to think for themselves, to make decisions, to be independent. And now that they are, she’s angry with them because of it. Did you know that Gus is majoring in two different degrees in two different universities? JR may only be fifteen, but she single-handedly revamped her father’s comic book store to increase their profit by thirty percent and had a hand in the marketing. She’s brilliant in business and loves it. Mel wants her to drop everything and move.”

“She might like it in Portland.”

“She might, but back a teenager up against a wall and what happens?”

“They most likely do the opposite.”

“Correct.” Brian turned away from Lorna to walk toward a newly potted orchid. He gently caressed the delicate petals. “Children are a lot like flowers. Given the right soil and fertilizer, plenty of sun, and enough water, they bloom.” Brian gave Lorna a crooked little smile then left her in the greenhouse.

She was even more confused about Brian Kinney than she had been before.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 3






Mel and Gus walked out of the path and into the clearing by the stream. They stopped to take in the beauty and tranquility of the spot for a moment.

“It hasn’t changed,” Melanie observed. “It’s still beautiful.”

Gus nodded. “Want to sit on the big rock?” he asked.

Melanie followed her son over to the big rock. She wasn’t sure where to begin with her talk with Gus. She didn’t want to be shut out of his life, and that was how she felt when he refused to come to Portland. She knew deep in her heart that Kinney had something to do with that decision. God, she detested that man.

Gus sat down on the big rock wondering how he could convince his mother that he couldn’t come to Portland this summer, but that he still loved her and wasn’t trying to drive her out of his life. She seemed calm at the moment as she sat down beside him. He could only hope she’d be reasonable.

“I always love it here,” Gus said hoping to break the ice with a neutral topic.

“Is this why you won’t come to Portland this summer? You can’t drag yourself away from here?” Melanie asked sarcastically.

“Mama…”

“Don’t Mama me, young man. You know you had an obligation to come visit me this summer.”

“Obligation?”

“That’s right.”

“I don’t consider visiting you an obligation,” Gus said slowly.

“What word would you use – a trial, a burden, a tedious responsibility?”

“Mama, I don’t think of it as any of those things. I want to visit you.”

“Yeah, right,” Melanie scoffed. “That’s why I had to come here and suffer through being treated like a second class citizen, an outcast.”

“Nobody’s treated you like that,” Gus protested.

“That’s how it feels to me.”

“Then maybe you’re reading it wrong.”

“Don’t fucking tell me how I should feel,” Melanie stated, her voice verging on hysterical.

“I … I’m not trying to tell you how to feel. Can we just talk calmly … please?”

“I thought that’s what we were doing,” Mel snapped.

Gus sighed. This was certainly going well. “When do you have to go back?”

“Tomorrow morning,” Melanie said bitterly. “But I guess that’s not soon enough to suit you. I’m sure you’d prefer if I left tonight.”

“No, Mama, I don’t want you to leave. I never wanted you to go to Portland.”

“Is that the problem? I was supposed to stay here and be miserable. You resent that I’ve found happiness,” Melanie said with a note of glee in her voice, like this revelation made it possible to understand everything that had happened.

“I don’t resent your happiness. I’m glad you’re happy,” Gus said sincerely.

“Well, you’d never know it by your actions.”

“Mama, I’ve been working really hard with Uncle John. I’m really tired. Maybe we should go back.”

“Can’t even stand to spend half an hour with me,” Melanie spat out. “Kinney has really turned you against me.”

“Nobody’s turned me against you. I can’t do this anymore,” Gus said standing up. “This is pointless.”

“Talking to your mother is pointless. That’s just perfect.”

“That isn’t what I said, but trying to have a conversation with you is impossible. I’m sorry we can’t get along better.” Gus started walking back towards the path.

“Wait!” Melanie commanded.

Gus stopped and turned around. “I don’t see any point in continuing with this, Mama. I’m going back to the house.”

“Gus...”

Gus could almost hear a note of pleading in her voice. “If you promise not to vent all your frustrations at me,” Gus said reasonably, “I’ll stay and talk. Otherwise, I’m gone.”

“Stay, please.”

“Okay, but no more criticism of me … or Pop.”

Melanie made a face but she nodded in agreement. “Do you really have to be here all summer?” she asked sounding more like the mother he knew and loved, not the strident shrew who had been attacking him.

“I made an agreement with Uncle John, Mama. I have to honor it. I want to honor it. I’m good at what I do, and I want this project to be great. I need to be here.”

“What about the end of the summer, before you go back to school?”

“What about it?”

“Could you come visit me for a few days?”

Gus was torn. He wanted to spend his time with Ray before he went back to school, but he wanted to please his mother, and she was being reasonable … for once. “Could Ray come with me?” Gus asked as the thought struck him. “I’d have to talk to him about it, but if he was willing…”

“You’d bring Ray with you?”

“That’s what I’m asking. I don’t want to leave him when we could have a few more days together before classes start.”

Melanie felt the smile spread across her face. “You’d really come and bring your boyfriend with you?”

“That’s right.”

“Oh Gus, I love you so much,” Melanie said, quickly crossing the distance between them and pulling her son into a fierce hug.

“I love you too, Mama,” Gus said. She was squeezing the air out of him, but it felt better than anything else they had done all afternoon.

“Gus, if Ray will come with you … that would be wonderful.”

“I’m sure he will,” Gus said hoping that Ray would be agreeable to this new plan.

“Gus, can we sit down again, and you can tell me all about this filming you’re doing.”

“Sure, Mama.”

Melanie took her son’s hand and they walked back to the big rock.



*****



“Is Gus ever coming back, Dada?” Bree asked.

Lunch had been cleared away, and the guests at Edna’s Treasures were sitting around in the backyard enjoying sun or shade as each preferred. Lemonade and iced tea were plentiful. It was a quiet afternoon before people had to make their way back to the city for work the next day.

“I’m sure he and his mother will be along soon,” Brian replied looking at the entrance to the path to the stream. He hoped things were going all right between mother and son. He was prepared to rip Melanie Marcus a new one if she hurt Gus.

“I want to play with him,” Bree pouted.

“Gus has other responsibilities, Squirt. He can’t always play with you.”

“Yes he can,” Bree contradicted.

“Briana…” Brian’s voice was ominous. Bree knew that tone all too well.

“Will you play with me, Dada?”

“What do you want to play?”

“I don’t know. Gus always thinks up good stuff to do.”

“Like what?” Brian asked.

“Like playing tea party and using British accents and pretending we’re Hudson,” Bree said.

“Is that right?” Brian chuckled. “Can I hear your English accent?”

“British, Dada.”

“British accent,” Brian amended.

Bree raised her nose up in the air and stood very straight and tall for all her petite size. “My de-ah Mr. Kinney, would you like lemon with your tea?”

Brian laughed. “I think I better leave the British accents to you, Gus and Hudson.”

“You can do it, Dada,” Bree encouraged him.

Brian shook his head. “I don’t think so.”

“Please, Dada.”

Brian cleared his throat. “What would you enjoy for breakfast, Miss Briana? We have tea and crumpets or some very delicious porridge.”

“Ooh, porridge,” Bree giggled.

“Did my British accent pass muster?”

“You done good, Dada, but you need to stick your nose up in the air.”

“I see,” Brian said. “Shall I try it again with nose suitably elevated?”

Bree giggled some more. “Yes, Dada.”

“They’re something together, aren’t they?” Lindsay said as she pulled a chair up next to Lorna’s under one of the trees. Lorna had been watching Brian Kinney and his daughter. The man was quite fascinating.

“They’re quite adorable,” Lorna replied, surprised that Lindsay Peterson would be talking to her.

Lindsay laughed. “I’ll have to tell Brian you think he’s adorable. He’ll be in a right huff about that.”

“He doesn’t like adorable?”

“He doesn’t do adorable. He thinks he’s this fierce, brutal, alpha male. But we all know he’s a big marshmallow.”

“Mel certainly doesn’t know that.”

“Mel could never see past Brian’s reputation … which he carefully cultivates. She always wanted to believe the worst of him.”

Lorna raised an eyebrow. “Why are you telling me this?”

“I thought it might help you understand the dynamics of Mel and Brian Kinney. It’s a pretty complex non-relationship.”

“I’d say that’s the understatement of the century.”

Lindsay looked thoughtful for a moment, then she said, “Are you and Mel happy?”

“What’s happy?” Lorna asked ambiguously. “We get along well and the sex is great.”

Lindsay chuckled. “She said you were straightforward.”

“So’s she. Sometimes that causes…”

“Dissension?”

“Something like that.”

“I understand.”

“I bet you do,” Lorna said softly. “I have to say that this place and the people in it are quite surprising – not at all what I expected.”

“Not at all what Melanie told you it would be.”

“She has a rather narrow view of this place,” Lorna admitted. “And especially of…” She glanced over at Brian and Bree.

“Brian Kinney,” Lindsay said finishing the sentence. Lorna nodded. “There’s no point in trying to change her mind about Brian. I tried for almost twenty years, unsuccessfully I might add. Good luck, Lorna. I hope you and Melanie make a go of it.” Lindsay stood up.

“You mean that, don’t you?”

“Yes, yes I do. I don’t bear her any malice … although I couldn’t have said that a few months ago. I like my life now. And you can tell Melanie just that,” Lindsay said before she walked away.



*****



The boys of Edna’s Treasures wound up converging on the lane in front of the new cottage. Cottage, more like a stone house similar to the toll house, but not a house in the truest sense of the word. It was wider than their cottages and taller but had a quaint old country look to it that gave you that cottage feeling. There was no basement so John had designed a small utility room to house a compact washer/dryer, the water heater and the furnace, even though the home had several fireplaces which could be the main source of heat. The furnace would be kept running at the minimum throughout the winter when no one was in residence so that the pipes wouldn’t freeze.

The structure had a main first floor with a large communal kitchen, a spacious living room with the fireplace as its central feature, and a bathroom in between two small bedrooms. The second floor had a kitchenette, a smaller sitting room with fireplace, three bedrooms, and a large bathroom that John had designed to open onto a private deck so one could use the hot tub he had installed. The bedrooms all had their own balconies that could comfortably accommodate a chaise and some chairs.

Considering the size of their “cwazy wittle” family, John decided to construct an attic loft room. Using Brian’s loft as an example, John had designed a glass enclosed bathroom in one corner. The glass was a deep smoky mahogany for privacy and thick enough to muffle most sounds. It was complete with a small stall shower. The attic room also had a small kitchenette, a large platform bed and room for plenty of large thick throw pillows. He designed it to be either a little love nest, or for a solitary guest who just needed a private place to get their thoughts together.

While the whole house could accommodate several families to live in almost a communal fashion, there was plenty of privacy built in as well.

“Wow! Can I move in here?” Justin said as he examined the loft room.

“Planning on leaving me, Sunshine?” Brian asked with an arch of his infamous brow. He managed the stairs well and was rather pleased with himself. He felt the strength in his foot coming back although he still had to be very careful and not overdo.

“No, but it would have been nice to live in something like this when I was younger.”

“Like you’re so old now. And if you remember, you did live in a place like this, my loft.”

“Right, your loft.”

“Justin...” Brian gave Justin a pained look. Justin could see regret flash across the handsome face. He immediately went into Brian’s arms.

“No apologies, no regrets. I had the best life when I was a kid and an even better life now. I’m just saying that any homo would give up his best clubbing clothes to be able to live in a place like this.”

“As I recall, Emmett did just that for a while,” Brian said with amusement in his voice. “John, this is beyond what I had expected,” Brian said by way of praise that he was never very free with. “They’ll be beating down a path to our door to book this place.”

“Don’t worry,” John began as they started back down the stairs. “I believe Bobby has decided to be the keeper of that ‘book.’ Babe?”

“I’ve started a priority list. But I wanted to confirm something with you first and without breaking any confidences,” Bobby said with a serious tone.

When they were standing in front of the large main floor fireplace, Bobby turned to address the boys.

“When Ben and Michael were here for Memorial Day, was it my imagination or was Michael not quite his usual whiny self?”

“No, it wasn’t your imagination but I’m really not at liberty to elaborate,” Brian said hoping Bobby would take the hint.

“That’s fine. Then my proposal is to offer first choice to Ben and Michael then Lindsay and her girls second,” Bobby said with his usual cool logic. Brian nodded in agreement. “I have another suggestion,” Bobby went on. He received three sets of eyes all looking at him in anticipation. “If what I surmised is true about Michael, perhaps it may be prudent to offer the loft to your resident therapist. From what I see, he and Todd appear to have hit it off.”

The boys chuckled and John slapped Brian on the back.

“Matchmaker,” he mumbled to his brother. Brian gave him the ‘who me?’ look.

“It’ll give Gerry and Todd some privacy to get to know each other,” Bobby said ignoring the laughter at his Biblical double entendre. “Aaannd...if Gerry’s services are required by Michael and Ben, he’ll be right here.”

The boys all nodded. Bobby’s logic was infallible.

“John, I know you said mid August but can you double team your guys?” Justin asked as they walked out the front door. It was still too early to put down a lawn but John had Brian and Todd already working on the plans for the landscaping. Given three good days, the landscapers of the garden center could have the whole area planted.

“Gordon and I already had that conversation. We were surprised how well the interns banded together and took direction from their mentors. I have the inspectors coming in a few days, the plumbing fixtures will be delivered by Friday and Emmett has the furniture on standby,” John said with a twinkle in his eyes.

“Are you sure having Emmett involved is a good thing?” Bobby asked sotto voce although there was no one but them around. John laughed.

“Come to the work tent,” John beckoned; the boys followed like baby ducks. Displayed on easels were the layouts of each floor of the cottage. Included were artist renditions of the completed rooms with the furniture and fabric swatches.

“This reminds me of Emm’s dream cottage, shaker, if I’m not mistaken,” Brian commented.

“Very good. It is exactly. The furnishings have a country feel to them, however not too masculine or feminine. Neutral without being bland.”

“Very earthy,” Justin said as he perused the plans with a critical artist’s eye.

“That they are but not too muddy or dark,” John added.

“It’s beautiful. I’m so proud of you,” Bobby said as he threw his arms around his spouse.

“What? You think just because I usually work in glass and steel, I can’t do quaint?” John teased. No one believed that at all. His work on the lane, the toll house and the cottage he restored for Leda and Jamie were evidence enough.

“You are the queen of cottages,” Brian teased with a smirk as he ducked his brother’s hand.

“King of cottages!” Justin laughed as he back peddled out of John’s reach.

“Don’t listen to these two reprobates,” Bobby came to his partner’s defense. “You are the doctor of cottages!” Bobby pronounced.

“Out of my tent,” John scolded as he pointed toward the doorway. “Cretins, all of you,” he shouted good-naturedly as they laughed. “Wouldn’t know a good building plan if it bit you on the ass,” he mumbled then laughed to himself. His heart was so full of love for his family that when he joined them out on the lane, John had a kiss and a hug for all.

“Big softy,” Bobby murmured as he wrapped an arm around John’s waist.

“I’ll show you who’s soft,” John replied with a pinch to his lover’s side. Bobby took up the challenge.

“Gotta catch me first!” he shouted as he took off at a run towards the woods.

“Hey!” John yelled then took off after him. Brian and Justin stood in the lane laughing as John’s long legs were a good match for Bobby. John caught his spouse and they toppled over into a patch of soft grass.

“Watson, I do believe we’ve seen the last of them for a while,” Brian snarked in his best Holmesian voice.

“Indubitably, my dear Holmes, indubitably,” Justin replied.

“Ya know we could follow their example," Brian said as he waggled his eyebrows getting a one hundred watt smile from Justin.

“Your brother is a doctor now. And it’s always wise to follow your doctor’s advice,” Justin commented with a coy smile.

“Now yer talkin’, Sunshine!” Brian carefully took Justin into his arms to kiss him, pouring all his love into the younger man. Brian felt the strain of the last few weeks finally begin to slip away. He knew Justin’s head wasn’t completely in a good place but it was a start.

“I love you, Brian,” Justin whispered when he was let up for air.

“I know,” Brian replied then went back to kissing the life back into his prince.



*****



“You know, whatever she told you about him is a lie,” Debbie said as she walked up to Lorna. Lorna decided to walk off the delicious lunch by strolling the lane. She stopped, fascinated by the sight of Brian embracing Justin with such tenderness she didn’t think possible for a man to exhibit.

“How do you know what she told me?” Lorna snapped back. She was beginning to resent having to defend Melanie all the time.

“Because I know how she gets when she talks about Brian. I love Melanie; she’s the mother of my granddaughter. But I also know how stubborn she can be. They’re both so alike some times. Brian is no way near perfect and he’d be the first to admit it, but the very act of him breathing irritates Melanie. He’s done nothing to deserve her hatred except live life the way he sees fit. I always suspected she was jealous.”

“Why?”

“Aside from the fact that his balls are bigger than hers, she resents that he’s always done what he wants when he wanted. He wasn’t born with money. He was a poor Irish kid from the wrong side of the tracks with an abusive father and an alcoholic mother. And his sister wasn’t worth a damn. He studied and worked hard for everything he’s gotten, for every penny he’s made, and for some reason, Mel hates it. I think when he finally reconciled with his mother and sister, it might have made things worse for Melanie.”

“She’s never resolved things with her family,” Lorna stated.

“You look like a very smart woman, draw your own conclusions,” Debbie counseled as she returned to the cottage.

“Good advice,” Lorna murmured, still unable to tear her eyes away from Brian loving his spouse.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 4






“Hi,” Mel cheerfully greeted Lorna who was once again sitting in the garden.

“Hi. I take it your visit went well?”

“Better than I hoped. Gus and Ray will be joining us at the end of the summer, before they start their next semester,” Mel happily announced.

“Both of them? In my house?”

“Is that a problem, and I thought it was our house.”

“Melanie, it’s one thing to have your daughter visit but two teenage boys?”

“Gus is almost twenty and Ray is twenty. They’re both good kids.”

“I’m sure they are but I’d prefer not to have them fucking in my, our house.”

“I’m sure they’ll show some restraint during their visit.”

“Melanie...” Lorna was interrupted by Bree as she came running into the garden.

“Auntie Mel, are you going to have dinner with us?” Big violet-blue eyes looked expectantly up at Mel.

“I’m not sure, honey,” Mel answered. “I’m still full from lunch, I can’t think about dinner now.”

“Oh, okay,” Bree said then ran back to the Wendy house.

“What a strange little girl,” Lorna mumbled to herself. “Melanie, we really must talk about this but this is not the time or the place. When are we going back to the hotel?”

“I would like to have dinner with my kids but I am so tired of eating here,” Mel scowled.

“We did pass that inn on the way here. Maybe they do dinner?” Lorna suggested.

“But we have several hours before dinner. What should we do until then?” Mel asked as she sat on one of the chairs in the garden.

“Ladies,” Emmett swished his way toward them. “Would you like to join Drewsie and me for some iced tea and nibbles at our cottage?”

“If it gets me out of this perfect fucking garden, I will,” Melanie grumbled as she abruptly stood up to follow Emmett, inadvertently leaving Lorna behind.

“So I guess I’m going too,” Lorna mumbled as she stood to follow her ‘partner’ down the lane.



*****



“Gus, where are you going?” Bree asked as Gus finished changing his clothes and walked out of his bedroom.

“Mama wants to have dinner with JR and me at the inn past the general store.”

“Oh, but you guys could have dinner here with me,” Bree said batting her baby blues at her brother.

“I need to do this, Bree,” Gus replied. “I’ll be here for dinner tomorrow night.”

“With Ashley?”

“Yes, with Ashley,” Gus chuckled. “I haven’t seen her in ages.”

“She loves you, you know,” Bree said. “Just like me. She don’t have no brothers, so you get to be her brother too.”

Gus smiled. “I like that.”

“Gus,” Bree said with a frown, “I don’t think Auntie Mel likes me anymore, does she?”

“I’m sure she likes you just fine.”

“That lady with her is weird.”

“Lorna? Why is she weird?”

“I don’t know. She just is.”

“Look, short stuff,” Gus said squatting down in front of his sister, “my mother is far away now, and I need to spend time with her while she’s here. Can you understand that?”

“Sure,” Bree agreed.

“Her relationship with the people here in Pittsburgh has changed since she went away. She likes you, but she’s … an outsider now. That changes everything.”

“Oh,” Bree said thoughtfully. “Being an outsider isn’t fun. Ashley was an outsider a long time ago.”

“Right,” Gus agreed, “and then you helped her to fit in.”

“Yep,” Bree said bobbing her head and making her ponytail swing from side to side. “Do you think Auntie Mel needs help fitting in now?”

“It couldn’t hurt.”

“’Kay,” Bree said readily. “You’re the bestest, my Gus.”

“You’re pretty great yourself.”

Bree threw her arms around her brother’s neck and hugged him hard. “Love you,” she whispered.

“And I love you too.”



*****



“This looks like an all right place,” Melanie said as she, Lorna, Gus and JR were seated at the inn.

“I hope it’s better than that place we went to in Pittsburgh,” JR reminded her mother.

“Your father could have told me that it was shitty.”

“I think this place is fine,” Gus stated. He thought he remembered someone saying the food was okay.

“Well, I don’t want much,” Lorna interjected. “The amounts of food that are served at your father’s…” she said looking at Gus. “Astronomical!”

“Don’t you mean gastronomical?” Gus quipped.

“No, I meant astronomical,” Lorna continued, not getting the joke at all. “I don’t see how the people there can possibly keep their figures when they are force fed all that food.”

“We don’t eat like that every day, and nobody makes you eat anything you don’t want to.” Gus tried to defend the people at Edna’s Treasures.

“I would hope so,” Lorna said skeptically. “Heart disease and digestive problems would abound if you did.”

Gus made a face as he debated trying to convince Lorna that the food was so plentiful because of the holiday and all the guests. He decided it was useless trying to convince Lorna of anything.

“Let’s order,” Melanie suggested before Gus and Lorna got into a fight.



*****



“This looks great, Emmett,” Justin said as they sat down for a quiet dinner in the sun porch. Debbie, Carl, Lindsay and Candy were still at Edna’s Treasures, along with the Anderson-Morrisons and Emmett’s family.

“I hope this meal will be a little less tense than that fucking lunch now that Melanie and her friend are not here,” Debbie stated.

“It wasn’t that bad,” Carl said.

“These salads look good, Emm,” John said. “I ate way too much at lunch.”

“Me too,” Bobby agreed.

“I never eat too much,” Brian informed them with a smug look. That caused many snorts of derision. “What?” he asked trying to look like he had just spoken the gospel truth.

“Be that as it may,” Emmett said, “salads are in order after all that gastronomical extravaganza at lunch.”

“We had to show Melanie and her current squeeze that we could entertain with the best of them,” Drew said. “And everyone was very civil.”

“I think Lorna might have liked a good fight,” Brian observed, “and I know Melanie would.”

“Gus says we should be nice to Auntie Melanie,” Bree told them all. “’Kay?”

“Good idea, Miss Bree,” Emmett said giving Brian a look.

They started passing around the salads.



*****



“You’re awfully quiet,” Melanie said to JR.

“I don’t have anything to say,” JR responded.

“I haven’t seen you for weeks. What have you been doing?”

“Working at the store and going to school.”

“But what are you doing for your summer holidays?”

“Working in the store.”

“Doesn’t your father give you a break?”

“Daddy hasn’t been feeling well lately. I do a lot at the store.”

“Is Michael sick?” Melanie asked with a frown.

“He hasn’t really said, but he isn’t … himself lately.”

“I think he was going to the doctor to get checked out last week,” Gus volunteered, knowing the whole story, but hoping to put an end to Melanie’s inquiries.

“Aren’t you rather young to be taking on so much responsibility at the store?” Lorna asked JR.

“I’m old enough,” JR said defiantly. “I like working in the store.”

“She’s really good at it too,” Gus informed them.

“There are better things to be good at than working as a salesclerk,” Lorna replied.

“My daughter will be good at whatever she chooses to do,” Melanie affirmed.

JR beamed at her mother while Lorna sneered.

“This burger is good,” Gus said taking a big bite of his dinner. He wasn’t sure how much longer he could keep a fight from breaking out.



*****



“I wonder how dinner at the inn is going?” Lindsay asked.

“Probably tense,” Brian replied tersely.

“I don’t understand why Melanie is so confrontational,” Lindsay sighed. “I’ve let it all go. She should too. She’s started a new life in Portland … with Lorna.”

“Maybe not as new as she thinks,” Brian threw in.

“What do you mean?” Lindsay asked.

“Didn’t you notice how much Lorna resembles you?” Brian asked her.

“Well, she is blonde and … tall.”

“That’s where it ends,” Debbie jumped in. “She seems like someone who has very definite ideas and wants things the way she wants them. Mel won’t like that in the long run.”

“You don’t think I have definite ideas?” Lindsay asked. She wasn’t sure she liked what Debbie had just implied about her.

“Honey, I think you have great ideas. You just don’t try to make everyone else have the same ideas you do.”

“No, I guess I never did stand up for myself,” Lindsay said with a sigh.

“You are now, and that’s what’s important,” Debbie said patting Lindsay’s hand.

“I love you Auntie Lindsay,” Bree piped up. “That Lorna lady is weird.”

“You don’t know Lorna yet,” Justin said to his daughter. “Don’t be too quick to judge.”

“I know, Daddy. She’s not very nice.”

“She seemed nice enough,” Justin replied.

“Nice enough is not the same as nice,” Bree stated with all the wisdom of her many years.

“Out of the mouths of babes,” Brian muttered.



*****



“I enjoyed spending some time alone with you two,” Melanie said as they drove back to Edna’s Treasures.

“We weren’t alone, Mama,” JR reminded her mother.

“Lorna is my partner. She’s part of the family now.”

“Your family,” JR countered.

“Young lady,” Melanie started. “Lorna is to be treated with respect.”

JR opened her mouth to argue, but she felt Gus squeeze her hand as they sat together in the backseat of the rental car. “I’m sorry if that was disrespectful,” JR said, looking at Gus for approval of her words. He merely nodded.

“Thank you for that, JR,” Lorna said. “I know I’m not really part of this family, even if Mel would like to think I am. But maybe someday … if you’ll let me.”

“Yeah, maybe someday,” JR agreed. That was all she was prepared to concede.

“Well, I’m glad I came here,” Melanie said positively. “And I’m really glad you’re coming for a visit at the end of the summer, Gus.”

“Yeah, Ray said it would work okay for him.”

Lorna made a face that Gus noted.

“And would you be coming for a visit this summer, JR?” Melanie asked hopefully.

“I don’t know, Mama. If Daddy’s okay, I might be able to.”

“I’m sure your father is fine,” Mel responded. Michael was always fine.

“I don’t know,” JR said with that little frisson of fear that she had felt ever since she realized her father wasn’t himself.

“We’ll work out the details later.”

“Here we are,” Lorna said as she pulled the car up to the gate of Edna’s Treasures Lane.

“I hate this fucking gate,” Mel said while Lorna was pushing the buzzer for admittance. “I feel like such an outsider. I wouldn’t have even been able to get in the night we came, except that someone else was leaving.”

Gus tried not to snicker. He knew his Pop would have told them to go away and come back the next day, which was essentially what Brian had done anyway.

“I guess our visit is almost over,” Melanie said sadly as the car drew up to the conjoined cottages.



*****



“Did you all have a cheery time at dinner?” Emmett asked as everyone came out of Edna’s Treasures to greet the returning carload.

“It was okay,” JR said.

“The food’s not bad there,” Gus supplied.

“If you like burgers,” Lorna added.

“Well, I guess this is goodbye for a while,” Melanie said as she hugged Gus and JR.

“I do love you, Mama,” JR said, “but I don’t know about coming to visit.”

Melanie nodded but didn’t look happy with that statement. Gus wondered if she’d pull the same thing with his sister that she had with him, cornering JR into agreeing to come to Portland.

“Mel, could I have a word?” Lindsay asked.

Melanie raised an eyebrow. “Okay,” she said. The two women walked a little way down the lane to have some privacy.

“I wonder what that’s all about,” Justin said.

“I guess Lindsay has something to say to her ex,” John replied.

“I hope it’s friendly,” Debbie said.



*****



“Mel, I just wanted to say that I’m glad Gus is going to visit you and Lorna in Portland. I had nothing to do with his decision not to go,” Lindsay explained.

“I understand that now.”

“I’d like us to be friends,” Lindsay continued, “for the sake of the kids. They don’t like it when we fight or are on the outs.”

Melanie studied her former wife’s face, seeing that Lindsay really meant what she said. “You really have changed,” Melanie said.

“Yes, I have. I’m glad you can see that. I’m making a new life for myself.”

“I didn’t see a girlfriend,” Mel said slyly.

“That’s because there isn’t one. I’m not ready for that just yet.”

“Unlike me who jumped into this relationship with Lorna?”

“I’m not criticizing,” Lindsay replied. “I hope it works out, and I mean that sincerely. I would like everyone to be happy.”

“Little Miss Pollyanna,” Mel said sarcastically.

“One of the things you never really liked about me,” Lindsay said bitterly.

“Lindz…”

“Don’t bother saying anything. I know how things stand … and I’m okay with it.”

“Then I guess this is goodbye.”

“Yes, goodbye,” Lindsay said turning to return to the rest of the group.

“It was fucking … interesting meeting you,” Debbie was saying to Lorna.

“Thank you I think,” Lorna replied.

“I’m ready to go,” Melanie said holding herself straight and tall.

“Good,” Lorna said. She thought she had had more than enough of this Edna’s Treasures group. Christ, what a fucking stupid name for a house.

“Melanie, take care of yourself,” Debbie said, pulling the mother of her granddaughter into a hug.

“I will, Deb. You do the same.” Melanie turned to hug Carl as well.

“John, Bobby, Justin … Brian, thank you for having us for lunch,” Melanie said formally, although she almost choked on Brian’s name. It stuck in her craw having to thank him for anything.

“Our pleasure,” John replied knowing that Brian was unlikely to be so gracious.

“Auntie Melanie,” Bree said, “I miss you.” She held her arms up for a hug.

“Why thank you, Bree,” Mel said giving the little girl a hug. “I appreciate you saying that.”

“Yeah, Aunt Mel,” Patrick agreed, taking his cue from Bree. “I miss you too.” He stepped up to hug the petite woman.

“Thanks, Kids,” Mel said. Anyone looking carefully would have seen a little tear in her eye.

“Bye, Miss Lorna,” Bree said holding out her hand to shake.

“Oh,” Lorna said surprised at that action. “Goodbye, Briana.” She shook the little hand.

“Bye, Miss Lorna,” Patrick parroted extending his hand too. “It was nice to meet you.”

“Goodbye, Patrick.”

Mel gave her children another quick hug and the two women got into their car. Melanie waved as they drove away.

“You did good,” Gus said to his sister. Bree beamed back at him.

“Thank the gods that’s over,” Brian muttered as they headed for the house.

There were several nods of agreement.



*****



“Thank God that’s over!” Lorna said as they passed through the gate at the end of the lane.

“Yeah, but I’m going to miss my kids.”

Lorna shook her head. She wasn’t sure why anyone would miss that bunch. They were all too full of themselves as far as she was concerned, especially that Bree girl. Did everyone follow her example? Lorna shook her head again. That was just wrong.



*****



“Do you feel better about Miss Lorna?” Emmett asked as they all sat down to coffee and cookies in the sun porch. Emmett had made them in case Lorna and Melanie had decided to stay a little longer after dinner.

“No, Auntie Emm,” Bree said solemnly as she bit off a bite of cookie.

“No? Why not?”

“She called me Briana. People only say Briana when I’m in trouble.”

“Oh!” Emm said as everyone chuckled.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 5



“Thank you for keeping her today,” Susanna said to Justin as he walked her out to her car.   She had just dropped Ashley off at the cottage. The girls were ecstatic about spending the day together.  “I can take her in with me some days but not today.”

“No problem, besides you know how much Bree loves Ashley.  She even put together an agenda of activities she wants to do with Ashley,” Justin said with almost a pained expression.  Susanna burst out laughing.

“That sounds like Bree.  I’m sure Ashley won’t be bored for a second.  Oh, I put extra clothes in her bag just in case she gets really dirty.”

“No, problem, besides we have a washing machine and I know how to use it.  Susanna, we love Ashley, she’s welcome here anytime. And if you want to take a few days for yourself or have a weekend with the girls, Ashley is more than welcome to sleep over.”

“Thank you, Justin, I may just take you up on that.  The divorce, the penny pinching and finding the new job took a lot out of Ashley,” Susanna said sadly.

“You kept your home together, Susanna.  Never doubt yourself,” Justin reassured her.

“I’ll see you later,” Susanna called out as she waved from her car.  Justin waved back as she drove down the lane.



*****


“Ma, what are you doing here?” Michael asked as he answered the demanding knock on the door.

“Selling Avon, what does it look like I’m doing?” she demanded.  Debbie was standing on Michael’s doorstep with a piping hot tray of lasagna.  “Well, can I come in; this is getting heavy.”

“Sure, Ma,” Michael said meekly as he stepped aside to let his mother through the door.

“Where’s your husband?”  Debbie wasn’t pleased to find Michael all alone.

“Uh, at the gym,” Michael was almost afraid to admit.

“You’re dying and your husband is banging dumbbells around!  I don’t care how many muscles he has, I’m going to kick his ass.”

“Ma, please.  I’m not dying and Ben’s been very attentive.  He’s been driving me crazy so I told him to go to the gym.  He’ll be back soon.”

“Well, okay.  I guess that’s all right,” Debbie barely conceded.  She stomped her way to the kitchen to set the tray on the stove.  Then proceeded to rummage in their refrigerator to take out the fixings for a huge salad.

“Ma, it’s only the two of us unless you’re staying for dinner.”

“I’m not staying,” she grumbled, putting back the extra lettuce and tomatoes.  “I helped out at Edna’s Treasures this weekend. I guess I’m still in huge family mode.  You missed a nice party. Ended with a bang, literally.”

“Yeah,” Michael smiled.  “Tell me about it.”

Pleased to get the focus off himself, Michael was happy to hear all about the barbecue, the fireworks and the progress on the new cottage.  He laughed as his mother described how Todd was drooling over Gerry.

“Sounds like I missed a real good barbecue.”

“You did and I have to talk to you about something.  But before I do that, please tell me what’s wrong. I did something very foolish the other day because I was so angry.  That's no excuse but it happened.”

“You didn’t take it out on Brian, did you?”  Debbie nodded. “Oh, Ma!”

“Well, no one tells me anything and you weren’t there and a mother knows when something’s wrong with her baby and...”

“Breathe, Ma.  Let’s sit down and I’ll tell you everything,” Michael said as he led Debbie to the couch.  A half hour later, Debbie was sniffling into her tissues.

“I can’t lose you too,” she wailed, clutching Michael to her chest.

“No one’s losing anyone,” Ben said as he entered the room, catching Debbie’s last remark.  “Michael’s strong and he’s going to beat this thing. He just needs a lot of rest.”

“And he’s going to get it!” Deb declared as if her word was the determining factor.  “The new cottage. I overheard John say that he was going to have his men work on the new cottage double time.  Is that because of you?”

“Maybe, I don’t know.  Brian promised not to say anything,” Michael said.

“Then nothing would make him break a promise,” Deb agreed.

“John’s a very smart man,” Ben said.  “He can put two and two together. He probably suspected and Brian did nothing to dissuade him.”

“Well, whatever the reason, Emmett said the furniture should be delivered soon.  That means you can move in,” Debbie stated.

“Ma, you said that you had something to tell me.”

“Honey, I don’t want you to worry but Mel is here, was here.  I think she flew back this morning.”

“Melanie was in Pittsburgh?” Michael asked with worry.

“She showed up at the cottage Saturday night as the guests were leaving.  When Brian refused to give her access to his house, she came back on Sunday.  She spent most of the day on the lane.”

“How is she?” Ben asked.

“Beautiful, and stubborn as ever.  She came with her new girlfriend who looks a lot like Lindsay but without Lindsay’s sweetness.  Mel was in rare form, spitting bullets at all things Kinney. And Lorna walked around like she had a stick up her butt.  Even Bree didn’t like her.”

They all laughed at that.  Bree was even more critical at times than Brian.

“Do you think Mel’s going to make trouble?” Michael asked.  He was beginning to feel tired. He closed his eyes as Debbie began to plate up their dinner.

“I don’t think so, honey.  JR seemed happy after her visit,” Debbie said as she handed the plate to Ben.

“Babe, try to eat some of this,” Ben said as he put the plate on the coffee table so he could prop Michael up.

“I’m not hungry,” Michael mumbled but not low enough that Debbie couldn’t hear.

“But you love my lasagna,” she cried.

“Deb, I’ll make sure he eats,” Ben said as he stood.

“You promise me, he’ll eat,” she said as she waved a finger in his face.

“I promise.  Let me walk you out,” Ben said trying to steer Debbie toward the door.  She broke free of his grip to kiss her son who appeared to be sleeping.

“Deb,” Ben said sternly but gently.   

Debbie wiped her nose as she walked to the front door.  “Please take care of my baby. I love him, can’t lose him.”

“I love him too.  The doctor assured me that if we’re careful, Michael will get through this.”

“Okay.  Honey, what about you?  Are you okay?” she asked with real concern.

“I’m fine.  And I’ve decided to take a sabbatical to care for him, maybe write some more.  When the cottage is ready, I’ll bring him up there. The fresh air and the quiet will do him good.”

“The store?”

“What about it?  JR’s been wonderful.”

“Sweetheart, JR is wonderful but she can’t sign for shipments or do the banking.  I agree, she knows the customers and the stock but she’s still underage. Let me and Carl help.  I worked the till at the diner for years, it’s not that much different at the store. This way JR can work but still have a little time for herself.”

“Are you sure?  It would put his mind at ease.”

“Consider it done.  I’ll talk to Carl today.”

“Okay.  Thank you, Debbie.”

Debbie gave Ben a bone crushing hug before he could make his escape back into the house.  For a split second Ben contemplated how to extricate himself from Debbie’s clutches, instead he allowed himself the comfort of her loving arms.

“I love you, Sweetheart.”

“I love you too, Deb.”   

Satisfied, Deb let Ben go then drove off back home.



*****



“So, Auntie Melanie came all the way from Portland, wherever that is, and she brought this lady, Lorna, with her.  Lorna’s her girlfriend. I don’t like Miss Lorna very much, cause she’s weird. She didn’t like me either. And Gus told me that Auntie Mel is an outsider now, and I should be nice to her, because being an outsider’s not fun,” Bree said before taking a breath.

“Wow!” Ashley replied.

The two girls were in the Wendy house sitting on the big cushions with Beau watching them patiently.  Bree was catching her friend up on all the events of the long weekend.

“You should have been here for the fireworks,” Bree informed her friend.  “They were awesome.”

“I wish I could have been here.”

“How was your daddy?”

“He was okay.”

“Just okay?”

“He has a new girlfriend too.  I got to meet her.”

“Did you like her?”

Ashley shook her head.  “She’s kind of weird too.  I don’t know why my daddy wants her and not mommy.  My mommy’s much better than her.”

Bree nodded in agreement.  “Auntie Lindsay is much better than Miss Lorna, but Auntie Mel likes Lorna better now.”

“Adults are stupid,” Ashley said sagely.

“Yeah … sometimes.”

“Are you going to see your daddy again?”

“I don’t know.  He … he’s not like he used to be.”

“Auntie Mel isn’t like she used to be either … not exactly.  She’s not as nice as she used to be.”

“Neither’s daddy,” Ashley agreed.

“I wonder why divorce does that,” Bree speculated.  “Maybe it makes people hate the people they used to love.”

“I … I don’t think my daddy hates me,” Ashley said with her bottom lip quivering.

“Oh, I didn’t mean that your daddy hates you.  I meant that Auntie Mel and Auntie Lindsay sort of hated each other for a while.  They argued all the time.”

“So did my daddy and mommy.  It’s much nicer not having arguing all the time.”

“Yeah,” Bree agreed, although she had never really had much arguing with her fathers.

“What are we going to do this afternoon?” Ashley asked.

“I think we should swim in the stream.”

“That would be good,” Ashley said with a smile.  “Do you think we could ride the horses one day?”

“I could ask Unca John.”

“I think you should.”

“Lunch, girls!”  Justin’s voice came to them across the yard.

Bree and Ashley quickly abandoned the Wendy house and raced to the sun porch.  Beau was hot on their heels.



*****



“Gus!” Ashley shrieked as Gus and John came in for lunch from their work in the lane.

“Hey, sweet thing,” Gus replied with a big smile.  He bent down so that he could receive Ashley’s hug and give her a warm one in response.

“I didn’t know you were here.”

“Has my sister been shirking her duties of reporting on my activities?” Gus teased his sister.

Bree made a face.  “I haven’t seen Ashley in forever,” Bree said.  “I had so much to tell her. I forgot about you.”

“Great, now I’m forgettable,” Gus griped as he released Ashley from their hug.  Ashley’s hand found its way into his. Gus smiled down at the little girl.

“Gus, can you sit beside me at lunch?” Ashley requested.

“I think that can be arranged.”

“Beside me too,” Bree said.

“A lovely lady on each side,” Gus laughed.

“What are we?” Brian asked as he watched the little girls fawn over his son.

“Chopped liver,” John replied.

Brian snorted.  “I think we are officially past it.”

“Never past it, handsome gentlemen,” Gerry said as he joined them in the sun porch for lunch.

“If all you handsome gentlemen will be seated, lunch is served,” Justin said formally as he carried a pitcher of iced tea to the table.

“Daddy, you forgot to say the lovely ladies should be seated too,” Bree told her father.

“I apologize for being so remiss,” Justin responded.  “Lovely ladies, please be seated.”

Everyone chuckled as they all found a seat.  Ashley and Bree made sure one of them was on each side of Gus.

“I expect them to be peeling grapes for him any minute now,” Brian whispered to John.

“They do love the Kinney male.”

“And what’s not to love?” Brian said tongue in cheek.

“I understand where they’re coming from,” Justin said with a wink at his husband.

Just as everyone had filled their plates with the leftovers from the Fourth of July barbecues and fresh salads that Justin had whipped up, Gerry’s phone buzzed.  He looked at his caller ID, and then excused himself from the table.

“Have to take this,” he said as he walked to the door of the sun porch.

“Todd,” Brian and John each said at the same time.

“I hope it is,” Justin smiled.  “It would be good for both of them.”

“Matchmaking much?” Brian asked.

“I didn’t have to,” Justin retorted.  “They found each other without any help from me.”

“Although, tropical plants did play a role,” Brian smirked.

“Tropical plants?” Gus asked.

“Todd and Gerry bonded over hibiscus and heavy urns full of soil,” Brian informed his son.

John and Justin laughed while Gus shook his head.

“What’s bonded?” Bree asked her brother.

“Um, got together,” Gus said cautiously.

“Does Mr. Todd like Mr. Gerry?” Bree wanted to know.

“I don’t know,” Gus responded honestly.  “You’ll have to ask Gerry.”

Gerry took that moment to reappear.  “Sorry about that,” he said as he sat back down.

“Todd?” Brian asked with a smirk.

“As a matter of fact…”

“Is Mr. Todd your boyfriend now?” Bree boldly asked.

The adults groaned but also waited to hear how Gerry would answer.

“I don’t know yet, Miss Bree,” Gerry replied.  “We’re going to explore that possibility at some place called the Honey Bear tonight.”

“Ooh, the Honey Bear,” the men said then chuckled.

“What?” Gerry asked.

“The notorious Honey Bear,” John said with a faraway look in his eye.

“Huh?” Gerry asked wondering what he had got himself into.

“Bobby was a waiter at the Honey Bear way back when,” Justin explained.  “Before he met a certain man with a PhD who swept him off his feet.”

“I didn’t have a PhD back then, and I hardly swept him off his feet,” John said coming back to reality.  “I didn’t even want to admit I might be gay.”

“Kinda like me,” Gerry said thoughtfully.  “Maybe my destiny awaits me at this Honey Bear.”

“You better find out soon,” Brian advised.  “You’re only here till the end of the week.”

“Well, if my patients weren’t doing so well, I might have to stay longer,” Gerry joked.

“Are you asking us to fake our injuries?” Brian asked with a look of mock horror.

“If things don’t go well tonight, I might have to do just that,” Gerry said with a laugh.

“Oh, just go for it,” Brian advised.  “There’s no point of beating around the bush.  It just wastes valuable fu… together time.”

“Duly noted,” Gerry said.

“Are you actually taking romance advice from my infamous studly brother?” John asked.

“I believe I am,” Gerry said with a wink.

“Good,” John said as he helped himself to some more salad.

“Gus, will you come swimming with us this afternoon?” Ashley asked sweetly.

“I have to work.”

“Oh,” Ashley said dejectedly.

“Daddy, will you come with us?” Bree asked.

“I really have to paint this afternoon,” Justin replied.

“I’ll come with you,” Patrick volunteered.

“That’s lovely son,” John said, “but you children need an adult with you when you go swimming in the stream.”

“Okay,” Bree said with a sour look on her face.  “But will you take me and Ashley horseback riding later in the week?”

“And me too,” Patrick said feeling like he was getting left out of everything since Ashley’s arrival.

“I think that could be arranged,” John replied.

“Dada, can you come to the stream so we can swim?” Bree asked hopefully.

“Sorry, Squirt, I have a conference call this afternoon with Kinnetik Isles.”

“Poo!” Bree reacted.  “I want to swim.”

“There’s one adult at the table that you haven’t asked, Miss Bree,” Gerry said.

“Would you come with us?” Bree asked, her face brightening up.

“I certainly will.  I think a swim before my big date might be just what the physical therapist ordered.”  Gerry looked around the table. “Well, my patients are both going to be busy. I won’t have anything else to do,” he said.

“Except think about a certain man from the garden center.”

“A swim will help me keep my mind off my impending … date.”

“We will expect a full accounting tomorrow,” Brian advised.  “And make sure I give you the code for the gate, so that when you come home at all hours, you won’t interrupt Justin and me.”

“If I come home,” Gerry smirked.

Mouths dropped open around the table.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 6



“Morning,” Brian greeted Gerry as he quietly tiptoed through the front door of the cottage.  It was very early; Gerry did not want to disturb the family.

Gerry jumped, startled by Brian.  “Whoa, wear a bell, will ya?!”

“Now why would I do that?  That would ruin my know all, be all rep,” Brian snarked.  “How was the Honey Bear?” Brian inquired as he walked into the kitchen then poured Gerry a mug of coffee.

“Fine,” Gerry replied.  Brian arched a brow then smirked.  “Okay, more than fine,” Gerry said as he sipped his coffee.  They were sitting on opposite sides of the granite counter. “You know, I never had the guts to go into Babylon when I was younger.  I would drive by, look at all of the men and women going in and out, all having fun and I’d think to myself, why am I so scared? Now, I’m a bit too old to be hanging around in clubs.”

Brian reached over to pat the big therapist on the back.  He knew what it was like to be accused of being an over the hill club boy.

“But you’re not too old to go out with a nice guy like Todd.”

“He is nice.  He’s smart, fun to talk to and not pushy.”

“In other words, he’s not going to frighten the bi-curious by jumping your bones on the first date.”     

“Yeah.  We had a nice meal at The Honey Bear.  We talked, we danced...”

“And?”

“We kissed.”

“Did we like it?”

“Yeah, we did.”

“And did we do anything else besides kiss and talk?  You can tell your Uncle Brian,” he teased, batting his seductive hazel eyes.

“You’re my patient.  I don’t discuss my personal life with my patients.”

“You announced that you’re leaving us, that makes me your ex-patient.  So spill.”

Gerry sighed as he rolled his eyes.  “We kissed and touched and I think I’d like to do more.  So we made another date.”

“See, that wasn’t so difficult, was it?” Brian asked as if he was talking to Bree.

“No,” Gerry admitted.

“Now, why are you leaving us?” Brian asked, glaring at Gerry, suddenly shifting gears.

“Because I’m not going to take your money plus free room and board, and give nothing in return.  Justin has full range of motion in his arm. All he needs to do is to continue with his exercises to regain the strength in his arm.  It won't happen overnight but he will regain full strength. It’s up to him to follow through.”

“Bree will see to that,” Brian remarked.  They clinked coffee mugs.

“As for you, you’ve progressed as far as you can until the doc says you’re ready to ambulate without the boot.  I have nothing more to do. I might as well do it back in the city.”

“Todd is here,” Brian pointed out.

“And I know how to drive,” Gerry countered.  The men glared at each other for the moment. Gerry weakened under the pressure from the master.  “I suppose I deserve a vacation. I’ve been working non-stop for years. But I don’t like sponging off you guys!”  Gerry stubbornly added.

“You’re not sponging.  I’ll admit doing a little matchmaking when it comes to Todd...”

“A little?” Gerry commented.   

Brian narrowed his eyes making Gerry’s hands go up in surrender.  “But I have another reason for wanting you to stick around.”

“I knew you had a ‘thing’ for me,” Gerry innocently smiled.   

Brian snorted.  “If I wanted you, I would’ve had you weeks ago,” Brian said smugly and with all confidence then went on.  “Do you remember Michael?” Gerry nodded. “One of the reasons that John is working fast on the new cottage is that Ben and Michael will be spending a lot of time here as soon as the cottage is done.  I think Michael will need your services.”

“Do you know his diagnosis?”   

Brian nodded and Gerry looked at him expectantly.  “I was told in confidence.”

“I understand.  Can I assume it’s not fatal?”  Brian nodded and Gerry relaxed.  “Well, there are several conditions that can affect a man of his age including MS and Parkinson’s but I’m not going to speculate.  I’m a patient man so I’ll know soon enough. But I’m still not happy about sponging off of you.”

Before Brian could contradict Gerry, Emmett swished through the front door with a quiet, “Helloooo.”  He placed a basket of fresh muffins and popovers on the counter.

“What brings you down here so early,” Brian grumbled as he poured Emmett a cup of coffee then freshened Gerry’s and his own cup.

“I was inspired early this morning so I just had to cook up something!”  Emmett gave Brian a toothy smile and a waggle of his eyebrows.

“Spare me the details of your sex life,” Brian snarked as he rummaged through the basket to find a popover then took a bite.

Gerry snickered at their easy banter and the double entendres.

“Sooo, tall, hunky and unsure of your sexual orientation,” Emmett began as he got into Gerry’s face.  “How did your date go with Todd?” Emmett demanded to know.

Gerry looked around the tall fairy who was in his personal space to glare at Brian.  “Does everyone know that I went out with Todd?” Gerry asked. Brian, who was concentrating on his popover, just shrugged his shoulders.  Gerry sighed. “My date went very well, thank you.”

“So, does that mean you’ll be a fixture around here for a little longer?”

“Possibly, if I can find a way of staying here without staying here.”  Gerry pointed down at the floor indicating the cottage. “I don’t want to take advantage of Brian’s generosity,” Gerry said with just a hint of sarcasm.   

Brian lifted his head from his muffin momentarily to sneer at Gerry.  Emmett giggled.

“Is that all?  Well me and Drewsie have a spare room that you are more than welcome to use until John finishes up the cottage which should be any day now.  The furniture will be arriving soon. We just have to set it up and make the cottage homey,” Emmett announced proudly. “And there’s more than enough room in the new cottage for you too!”

“Why am I sensing a conspiracy?”  Gerry looked at the two men suspiciously.

“Not a clue,” Brian and Emmett stated blandly.

Gerry looked back and forth at both men then waved his hands up in the air in frustration.

“I’m going to shower and change.  Please allow me to help with breakfast?” Gerry asked noting that it was just about time for the family to be stirring and starting their day.

Brian nodded his assent then Gerry left the kitchen.  Without looking up, Brian raised his hand, Emmett gave him a high-five then went back to his own coffee.



*****



Michael looked at the ID on his cell phone then tossed the phone onto a chair.  Michael was resting on the couch in the living room.

“You can’t avoid her forever,” Ben said wisely.

“Sure I can,” Michael retorted.  “I have nothing to say to her.”

“She only wants to know how you’re feeling.”

“How does Mel know anything about me?”

“She’s not stupid and I’m sure she’s spoken to JR.  You haven’t sworn JR to secrecy.”

“It’s still none of her business,” Michael said obstinately crossing his arms over his chest.

“You’re absolutely right.  However, that’s not how Melanie sees it.  You are her daughter’s father and if you are incapable of caring for JR, Melanie has the right to know,” Ben said logically but in a gentle tone.

“I can take care of my daughter,” Michael insisted.  Ben could see that Michael was getting tired and upset so he quickly changed the subject.

“I got a call from John this morning.”

“What does he want?” Michael angrily spat out.

“Nothing, just to let us know that the cottage is ready.  He and Emmett and some of the students who are interested in interior decorating are still tweaking a few things but the cottage is ready to be inhabited.”

“Really?  That was quick.”  Michael relaxed, his voice softening.

“John was motivated to work double time.”

“For me?”   

Ben replied only with a smile and a nod as he began to pull their suitcases out of the hall closet.

“So are you going to help me pack?” Ben asked with a big smile.  In his hands were two large suitcases.

“Yup!” Michael replied enthusiastically, mustering up all the strength he could.  “Let’s do it.” He said following his spouse up the stairs to their bedroom.



*****



“Hi, Unca Mikey,” Bree gushed as she ran up to Ben’s car to greet her almost uncle.

“Hi, cutie pie,” Michael said wearily.  He found the trip from the city tiring, just like he found everything tiring these days.  He hauled himself out of the passenger seat.

“I’m glad you’re here,” Bree said wrapping her arms around his thin waist.

“Did your Dada tell you to say that?”

“No, why?” Bree asked with a frown.

“Um, no reason,” Michael said lamely.  He seemed to see the worst in everyone’s motives.  He was in another foul mood like he seemed to be most of the time.  It took too much effort to be cheerful.

“You remember Ashley, don’t you?” Bree asked.

“Hi, Ashley,” Michael responded.

“Uncle Michael’s a little tired,” Ben said as he started hauling suitcases out of the trunk of the car.

“Michael, I’m glad you’re here,” Brian said as he came hobbling down the lane with his boot cast still on.  Bree and Ashley had been able to outdistance him with no trouble at all. He gave Michael a warm hug and a buss to the temple.

“I’m glad to be here, I think,” Michael replied with a wan smile.  “I wish I had some energy to help with the bags.”

“Not a problem,” Brian said moving to the back of the car.  He and Ben each pulled up the handle on a bag, and dragged it towards the new cottage.  “Be warned, Emmett’s inside waiting to give you the fifty cent tour. You better be impressed with what he’s done or he’ll have a hissy fit.”

Ben laughed.  “I’m sure it’s wonderful.”

“Yeah, wonderful,” Michael said with little enthusiasm.  “I’m not sure my eyes can stand fuchsia.”

Brian and Ben chuckled.  Bree stuck her hand in Michael’s and started pulling him towards the new cottage.  Ashley placed her hand in Michael’s other hand, and they escorted him towards the building.

“The outside looks great.  The plants make it seem like it’s always been here,” Ben said.

“Did you do the design, Brian?” Michael asked as he trailed behind with his two little girls.

“Of course,” Brian said smugly.  “I think it turned out very well.”

“Goes without saying when you’re involved,” Ben chuckled.

“You always were a man of discriminating taste, professor.”  Ben nodded. “How’s he doing?” Brian whispered, looking back over his shoulder at Michael and the girls.  They were half dragging Michael towards the new cottage in their excitement.

“He’s so tired and listless,” Ben said with a shrug of his shoulders.  “The doctor says it will be a long, slow recovery.”

“But he will recover.”  Brian said it as a statement of fact not as a question.

“He has to.”  It was Brian’s turn to nod.

“Come on, Unca Mikey,” Bree was saying.  “It looks so pretty inside. Auntie Emm is waiting.”


“I’m coming,” Michael said wearily.  “Um, it’s not purple, is it?” he asked as the thought struck him that purple was one of Bree’s favorite colors, and this was Emmett that they were dealing with.  “Or tangerine?” he asked in horror. He wasn’t sure his eyes could handle that.

“I can’t tell you, Unca Mikey,” Bree said.

“It’s a surprise,” Ashley added with a big grin.

“Oh no,” Michael groaned fearing the worst.

“You’ll like it, Unca Mikey,” Bree assured him.  “It’s beautiful.”

“Beautiful, huh?” Michael said as they neared the doorway.  Brian and Ben were waiting for them to catch up.

“Are you ready for this, Mikey?” Brian asked with a chuckle.

“I don’t think so,” Michael said in all seriousness, and he really meant that.

“Oh come on, Michael, it can’t be that bad,” Ben joked.

“You remember, I lived with Emmett for many years.  It can be that bad!”

Brian opened the front door.  “Try it, you’ll like it,” he said and stepped aside waiting for Michael to cross the threshold.

Michael let go of the girls’ hands and moved up beside Ben.  He looked pleadingly at him, silently asking his husband to spare him from the shock of what he was about to see.

“It will be okay, Michael,” Ben said softly.  He took his husband’s hand and they walked inside leaving the suitcases on the doorstep.

Michael squinted his eyes hoping the colors wouldn’t blind him.  Then he slowly opened them as they got inside. “Oh my God!” he gasped.

“Hi, honey, I did this all for you.  I hope you like it,” Emmett said with a little squee of delight at seeing his old friend.

“Emm, I…”  Michael didn’t know what to say as he turned slowly taking in the main living room and communal kitchen of the new cottage.

“Take your time,” Emmett told him, holding his breath and praying that Michael liked what he had done.

“Emm, it’s fabulous!” Michael said.  He continued to turn in circles taking it all in.  “It’s so … peaceful.”

“I thought the pale green and the earth tones would make it feel that way,” Emmett said, happy that Michael seemed impressed with what he had done.

“I couldn’t ask for anything better.  Thank you, Emm,” Michael said giving his old friend a big hug.  “I love it.”

“I’m so happy you like it, sweetie.  We all want you to be comfortable here, and get well real soon.”

“I think this will be perfect,” Michael said.

“We have two more levels,” Emmett said.  “Want to see them.”

“I…” Michael began.

“I think Michael could use some down time,” Ben said stepping in when he saw the tired look on his husband’s face.

“Yeah, I could.”

“We have two bedrooms on this floor,” Brian said as he hauled in the suitcases from the front door.  “Why don’t you use those for now? That way you won’t have to negotiate the stairs all the time. You can decide which part of the house you want to be yours when you’re feeling better.”

“That sounds like an excellent idea,” Ben said quickly.  He grabbed the suitcases and headed to the first bedroom.

“Need any help with unpacking?” Emmett asked.

“Um, no, I think we’ll be fine,” Michael said looking longingly towards the door through which Ben had just disappeared.

“Michael, go lie down,” Brian ordered.

“Thanks,” Michael said with a tired smile for his friend.  “It’s been a long day. And thanks, Emm. The place looks wonderful.  Thank John too. He did a wonderful job with this place.”

“Go!  Lie down!” Brian repeated.

“I left you some dinner in the fridge,” Emmett said as Brian grabbed his elbow and shoved him towards the door.

“Thanks, Emm,” Ben called from the bedroom.

“Jeesh!” Emmett griped.  “You could give me a minute to tell them how to warm up their dinner,” he said as Brian firmly closed the front door behind them.   

“They’re big boys.  They’ll figure it out for themselves.”

“Dada, is Unca Mikey okay?  He didn’t look so good,” Bree said with a frown.

“He’s not feeling too well, but all the fresh country air and peace and quiet…”  Brian looked pointedly at Emmett.

“Okay, okay, I get the point,” Emmett said.  “I’ll stay away.”

“Good,” Brian replied.

“Do I hafta stay away too, Dada?” Bree asked.

“Yes, for now, you do.”

“I don’t like it.”

“I’m sure you don’t, Squirt, but that’s how it is.”

Bree stomped her little foot, but then she and Ashley followed Brian and Emmett back to Edna’s Treasures.

“Is he settled in?” Justin asked as they all entered the kitchen.

Brian nodded.  “He was kind of tired.”

“Did you invite them for dinner?’

Brian shook his head.  “I think Michael needs to rest more than he needs food.”

“He’s skinny,” Bree announced to them all.  “I felt his bones when I hugged him.”

“Did you now?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yes, Dada.  We should fatten him up.”

“That will be one of our jobs while Michael and Ben are here,” Justin agreed with a smile.

“We could make Gamma Susan’s chocklit chip cookies,” Bree said hopefully.

“Yes, I suppose we could,” Justin agreed.  “Maybe tomorrow after they’ve had some time to rest.”

“’Kay, Daddy, but me and Ashley get to help.  Right?”

“Yes, you can help.”

“And we get to lick the spoon?”

“Yes,” Justin agreed.

“And the bowl too?” Ashley asked hopefully.

“I think that could be arranged,” Justin said with a laugh.

“I believe I have some popovers left, and that looks like a fresh pot of coffee.  Shall we enjoy a little snack?” Emmett asked.

“I think that could be arranged,” Justin repeated. They all had a laugh as they got settled at the kitchen table.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 7






“Gus, will you play with me?”

“I’m working, short stuff.”

“But, I want to play.” Bree stood in the doorway of Gus’ room, scuffing the toe of her pink vans on the carpet.

“I’m downloading what I filmed today. I need to get this done,” Gus said firmly.

“But…”

“I’m sorry, Bree. Can’t you play with Ashley?”

“Her mom just picked her up.”

Gus heaved a sigh. He always hated disappointing his sister, but he really needed to finish what he was doing. The students would only be at the building site for one more day. After tomorrow, and the filming of the students’ final impressions of the building project, Gus had to go through all the hours he had taped and decide how to make it into a documentary.

“This will take me about another hour,” Gus said. “Maybe after that…”

“It’ll be dinner time by then,” Bree said with a pout.

“Sorry, but I really can’t stop.”

“’Kay,” Bree said sadly and ran down the hall.

Gus felt badly, but he did have work he had to get done. He continued what he was doing and quickly forgot about his sister.



*****



Bree sat on a cushion on the floor in the Wendy house. Her hand rested on Beau’s head.

“Nobody will play with me, Beau,” she complained.

Beau gave a little woof of sympathy.

“Dada’s on the phone with his work, and Daddy’s painting, and Gus is busy. Patrick’s gone to his friend’s for the day. I wish you could have tea with me.”

“Woof,” Beau volunteered.

Bree stroked the soft fur. “You can’t hold a tea cup,” Bree stated. “You have no pinkie to hold up and you can’t do a good English accent.

“Woof,” Beau replied.

“See, that’s not a English accent.”

“Bree, is that you?” a voice asked from outside the Wendy house.

“Yes.”

“Are you okay?”

“No.”

“Can I come in?”

“Yes.”

Ben stuck his head through the doorway of the Wendy house. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

“I wanted to make chocklit chip cookies for you and Unca Mikey, and Daddy said maybe tomorrow, and then he went to paint, and Dada is on the phone and Gus is busy and Patrick went to his friend’s house and Beau can’t drink tea with me. Nobody will do nuffin!”

“I see,” Ben said kneeling down beside Bree, and trying not to smile at her predicament. “I was just on my way to the stream. Would you like to come with me?”

Bree’s face lit up. “Oh yes, Unca Ben.”

“Then let’s go,” Ben said happy to leave the cramped quarters of the Wendy house.

Beau trailed along with them as they headed down the path.

“Where’s Unca Mikey?” Bree asked.

“He’s sleeping.”

“Sleeping? But it’s not dark.”

Ben chuckled. “Uncle Michael is not feeling well these days, and he needs lots of sleep to get better.”

“Oh.”

“Are you going swimming in the stream?” Bree asked as they came to the clearing.

“No, I was just going to sit on the big rock, and enjoy the quiet.”

“Then you don’t want me around,” Bree pouted.

“Yes I do, or I wouldn’t have asked you to come with me.”

Bree smiled at the big, muscular man before they climbed up onto the rock. Beau lay down in the shade nearby. They watched the water rolling by in the stream. Both were silent for a few minutes, lost in their own thoughts.

“’Member when you went with me to get the Christmas tree?” Bree asked all of a sudden.

Ben groaned inwardly. That had not been one of his finer moments. “I remember. What made you think of that?”

“I don’t know,” Bree said. “I was thinking it was hot today and I wished it was cooler or that I could go swimming, and that made me think of winter and Christmas and getting the tree, cause you’re here with me now.”

Ben chuckled. “You should be an analyst when you grow up. That’s a perfect explanation of how you arrived at the Christmas tree.”

“What’s a analyst?”

“Somebody who studies data and draws conclusions.”

“I don’t understand nuffin’ you tell me,” Bree said.

Ben laughed out loud. “I forget that you’re only seven.”

“Eight, Unca Ben.”

“Oh, pardon me.”

“That’s okay, but I am older than you think,” Bree told him sagely.

“You’ve always been older than your years.”

“What do you mean?” Bree asked with a frown.

Ben sighed. He had forgotten how hard it was to talk to a youngster now that Hunter and JR were both pretty well grown up. “Some children are very naïve and … young. You’ve always had a … certain wisdom about you. I think it comes from your fathers and from being around adults all your life.”

“Yeah, adults,” Bree responded. “I asked my daddies for a baby sister but I never got one.”

Ben chuckled. “What did they say about that?”

“They said they didn’t think that would happen. I got Taylor instead.”

Ben shook his head. Children had a way of seeing things that was so refreshing. “You like Taylor, don’t you?”

“I love Taylor, but he should have been a girl.”

“There’s nothing you can do about that now,” Ben informed her.

“That’s what my daddies keep telling me. But Taylor’s okay, I guess. He does what I tell him and he listens to everything I say.”

“You like that Taylor listens to you?”

“Oh yes, Unca Ben, nobody else does.”

“I’m listening to you.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t happen very often.”

Ben shook his head and watched the stream for a while. Bree certainly was a perceptive little girl.



*****



“Dinner’s ready, Gus,” Brian said at the door to Gus’ bedroom.

“But … Ray isn’t back. Is Bobby?”

“They’re just coming up the lane.”

“Oh, okay. I finally got everything downloaded.”

“Big job?”

“Yeah. I have one more day of filming and then I have to start editing,” Gus said with a sigh.

“You don’t like the editing?”

“It’s okay. I like the end product,” Gus said as he shut down his computer. “But it’s a lonely job. I’ll be stuck in here all day. I like talking to people and being outside.”

“Maybe you could edit in the backyard.”

Gus shook his head. “Bree would be after me to play with her every ten seconds.”

“She’s going to camp with Ashley next week.”

“Oh, I didn’t know that.”

“It’s just day camp, but she’ll be gone during the day.”

“That will help. I could set up under the big tree in the backyard.”

“That you could,” Brian agreed. “And I promise not to ask you to come and play.”

“Oh, Pop!” Gus reacted with a laugh.

Brian smirked then his face turned serious. “Have you seen Bree? She’s not in her bedroom.”

“She came in here after Ashley went home and asked if I could play with her. I told her maybe later.”

“I haven’t seen her for a while,” Brian said. “She must be in the Wendy house.”

“I’ll go check,” Gus volunteered.

“Thanks,” Brian said not relishing hobbling around in his cast. He had a doctor’s appointment soon and he was hoping he’d get the all clear on his ankle. It would be about time. His whole summer had revolved around the fucking cast.

Gus walked out to the Wendy house only to find it empty. He then went to the greenhouse wondering if Bree had gone in there amongst the tropical flowers. He knew how much his sister loved flowers. She was not there either.

When he stepped out of the Wendy house, he called, “Bree!” There was no response.

“She isn’t in there?” Brian asked as he came out of the sun porch.

Gus shook his head. “She didn’t answer when I called either.”

“I wonder if she went down to Emmett’s,” Brian speculated. “She knows she’s supposed to tell me when she leaves our yard.”

“Let’s call and see.”

“Gus,” Ray said coming outside from the house. “What’s going on?”

“We can’t find Bree?”

“She has to be around here somewhere,” Ray said confidently. “We didn’t see her as we came up the lane.”

“I’m calling Emmett, Rachel and Ben,” Brian said heading inside.



*****



“Is Unca Mikey really sick?” Bree asked after they had studied the stream for some time.

“Yeah.”

“What’s wrong with him? He’s real skinny.”

“He has what’s called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.”

“Is that why he’s tired all the time?”

Ben nodded. “It makes him feel weak and tired and grumpy.”

“Oh? He’ll get better, right?’

“He will, but it will take a long time.”

“That’s no good.”

“No it isn’t,” Ben agreed. “But only time, diet and exercise will help – mostly time.”

“Is Mr. Gerry going to help with the exercises?” Bree asked.

“I think that might be arranged. I’ve been talking to a naturopath and we have some remedies we’re going to try too.”

“You should try everything. I want Unca Mikey to get better quick.”

“That makes two of us.”

“Woof,” Beau said.

Ben and Bree turned towards the path as most of the family rushed into the clearing.

“Fuck, Bree, we were so worried,” Brian yelled as he brought up the rear of the group. His boot slowed him down.

“I’m fine, Dada,” Bree said. “What’s going on?”

“You know you’re not allowed at the stream without permission,” Justin said firmly as he hugged his “missing” daughter.

“I was with Unca Ben,” Bree said in all innocence.

“It’s my fault,” Ben said quickly. “I should have told you that I was taking Bree to the stream.”

“That’s right, you should have,” Brian snapped, his worry over Bree’s whereabouts making his temper short.

“Dada, don’t be mad at Unca Ben. I should have told you where we were going.”

“Yes, you should,” Brian stated clearly.

“Sowwy, Dada,” Bree replied in her little girl voice. She was beginning to realize that she was in big trouble.

“That baby voice won’t help,” Justin said sternly. “We were so worried.”

“Sowwy,” Bree repeated.

“Don’t blame Bree,” Ben jumped in. “I heard her talking to Beau in the Wendy house and asked her if she wanted to come to the stream with me. I should have told you guys.”

“It’s over now and everybody’s fine,” John said sensibly. “Let’s go have dinner.”

“Yeah, dinner,” Brian groused. He had certainly lost his appetite. “You better go talk to your husband, professor. I woke him up when I called to see if Bree was with you at the new cottage.”

“I wouldn’t go there, Dada,” Bree said. “Unca Mikey needs his rest.”

“Yes, he does,” Ben said. “I better get back and make sure he’s okay. Thanks for our talk, Bree.” Ben hurried away.

“Bring Michael for dinner if he feels up to it,” Bobby called after him.

“We should go back home,” Justin said with a sigh of relief. “Don’t ever scare us like that again, Bree.” He firmly took his daughter’s hand and the group of men who had been looking for Bree all started down the path to Edna’s Treasures.

“I didn’t mean to scare you, Daddy,” Bree said contritely. “Beau wouldn’t let me go to the stream by myself.”

“Woof,” Beau interjected. He knew he had done nothing wrong.

“I know Beau looks after you,” Justin agreed. “But we need to know where you are when we can’t see you. You have to tell us if you go off with somebody.”

“Even Gus?”

“Yes, even Gus.”

“Remember that, short stuff,” Gus cautioned. “I don’t want to get into trouble like Ben.”

“I will,” Bree said solemnly. “Dada, don’t be mad at Unca Ben. He was trying to make me feel better.”

“Why did you need to feel better?” Brian asked.

“Because nobody would play with me,” Bree stated. “I was all by myself. Everybody was busy.”

“Even when everyone is busy,” Brian began, “you need to tell us where you’re going.”

“I know, Dada.”

“What’s for dinner?” Ray asked hoping to lighten the mood. He immediately regretted those words as Brian glared at him.

“We need to let Rachel and Emmett know that we found our prodigal daughter,” Brian stated.

“What’s prodigal, Dada?”

“Someone who doesn’t tell their parents where they are going.”

“Oh, I didn’t know there was a word for that.”

Everyone coughed or snorted as they tried to stifle laughs.

“Maybe we should turn this into a barbecue. I think I have a couple of boxes of burgers in the freezer,” John said. “We can add to the salads.”

“Yeah, hamburgers,” Bree crowed enthusiastically.

“Don’t get your hopes up,” Brian said. He wasn’t ready to forgive his daughter for scaring the life out of him.

They emerged from the path into the backyard of Edna’s Treasures.

“I’ll call Emmett and Rachel,” Justin volunteered.

“I’ll get the hamburgers out of the freezer,” John said. He and Bobby went into the house with Justin.

“I think I saw buns in our freezer,” Gus said. When his father’s eyebrow raised, he added sheepishly, “I was looking for ice cream. Come on, Ray.” The two young men hurriedly ran into the house, glad to be away from that Kinney eyebrow.

That left Bree and her father alone. Brian merely stood in one spot and looked off at the sun lowering in the sky. Bree stared at the lawn beneath her feet. She didn’t know what to say. She didn’t like it when her Dada was mad at her.

“Sowwy, Dada,” she said when she couldn’t stand the silence any longer.

“Sorry won’t help if you’re lying dead in the stream,” Brian snapped back.

“But…”

“There is no but, Briana. This is a very serious manner. Something terrible could have happened at the stream, and we would have had no idea where you were.”

“But…”

“I don’t want to hear it. I know you were with Uncle Ben, but we didn’t know that. Do you have any idea of all the horrible things we were imagining might have happened to you?” Bree looked up at her father and shook her head. Her gaze went immediately back to the grass where she scuffed the toe of her van against the green strands. “Are you really sorry?” Brian asked. Bree nodded and looked up at him once again. “Is this ever going to happen again?” She shook her head. “I think you need to say it out loud.”

Bree stared into her father’s eyes. “I won’t go away from the house without telling you where I’m going, Dada. I promise.” She made an X across her heart with her hand.

“Okay,” Brian replied. He stared off at the sun on the horizon once again.

“Are you okay, Dada?” Bree asked. She wasn’t sure what to do. She wanted things to be right with her father. She didn’t like it at all when he was unhappy with her. She tried to think of what she could do to make it better.

Finally her father answered her. “I’m all right. Are you?”

“Not unless you still love me,” Bree said a tear trickling down her cheek.

“I’ll always love you, Squirt,” Brian said scooping her into his arms and hugging her till she could hardly breathe.

“I love you too, Dada.” Bree knew things were better. Her Dada had called her Squirt.

As the family sat eating hamburgers and salad a little while later, Bree looked at her father. He gave her that crooked smile he had and she felt a little better. Her hamburger didn’t taste quite as good as she thought it would though. Then it dawned on her that maybe it hadn’t been made with the usual amount of love that her Dada put into his barbecuing. She hoped he would get that back before they had hamburgers again. She sighed and munched contritely on her burger. Things would be better tomorrow, she told herself.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 8






Molly and Taylor arrived the next day to spend a couple of Molly’s days off at her cottage. Molly called Edna’s Treasures to see if Justin would like to have coffee with her, but Justin suggested she bring her son up to their cottage so that Ashley and Bree could play with Taylor.

Following greetings and hugs all round, Justin and Molly sat down with their coffee in the kitchen and the girls took Taylor to the sun porch to play. Taylor clutched his favorite fireman in his hand as he toddled along after the girls.

“He’s growing all the time,” Justin said as they watched the little group disappear into the sun porch.

“He’s getting to be a real handful.”

“Oh?”

“Those terrible twos, you know,” Molly said with a sigh.

Justin chuckled. “What’s he been up to?”

“Let’s just say that he and the time out stool have become best friends.”

“That bad?”

“Yep.”

“Daddy, can we take Taylor outside?” Bree asked as she ran into the kitchen.

Justin looked at Molly to make sure that was okay with her. Molly nodded.

“Okay, but keep a close eye on him and call if there’s any problem. Don’t leave the yard,” Justin warned.

“’Kay, Daddy,” Bree said and ran back to the sun porch.

“She’s such a good child,” Molly said wistfully. “Do you think Taylor will turn out that well?”

“Taylor’s a boy.”

“So that explains the bad behavior?” Molly asked raising an eyebrow.

“All kids get into trouble,” Justin said with a smile. “Boys more than girls.” Justin chuckled at the look on Molly’s face. “Bree scared the guts out of us yesterday. She disappeared and we didn’t know where she was.”

“Every parent’s nightmare,” Molly said knowingly. Justin recounted the story of Bree’s trip to the stream with Ben. “So she was really fine the whole time?”

“Yeah, but we didn’t know that.”

Molly shook her head and took a sip of coffee. The silence was broken by Bree’s voice yelling, “OW!!! Taylor, stop that. Ow! Stop it. Daddy!” she called.

Molly and Justin rushed to the back of the house.

“What’s going on?” Justin asked. Bree was rubbing her face and Ashley was holding onto Taylor who was struggling to escape. He had a fistful of something in the hand of the arm that Ashley clutched.

“Taylor threw stones at me … twice,” Bree said.

“Bad boy, Taylor!” Molly said grabbing her son’s arm from Ashley and forcing his hand open so he would drop the stones that he held there.

“What happened?” Justin asked again.

Bree had big tears in her violet eyes, but she didn’t seem to be hurt. “Taylor was picking all Dada’s flowers over there,” Bree said pointing to one of the gardens where a pile of flowers lay scattered on the lawn beside it. “I told him to stop and he wouldn’t. I tried to pull him away, and he ran over here and grabbed some stones from the path and threw them at me … twice,” she added with a sniffle. Justin gave his daughter a big hug. A few tears trickled down her face.

“Taylor, you’ve been very bad,” Molly said sternly.

Taylor frowned but didn’t look the least bit contrite. “No!” he said.

“Yes, very bad,” Molly repeated. “You need a time out.”

“No!” Taylor said struggling to escape her grasp.

Molly merely gripped his arm harder and marched him into the sun porch. She pulled out Bree’s stool from her little table and sat Taylor down on it.

“No!” Taylor wailed, the tears coming fast and furious.

“You will sit there until you are ready to apologize to Bree and behave yourself.”

“No,” Taylor wailed. “No.”

“Yes, and the sooner you’re done crying the better.”

“No,” Taylor whimpered. The fight seemed to have gone out of him, but the tears fell faster than ever.

“You sit there for three minutes, and then I’ll come back to see if you’re ready to behave like the good boy I know you are.”

Taylor didn’t answer, just continued to cry.

Molly walked back outside. “I’m really sorry he threw stones, Bree. Are you hurt?”

“No,” Bree said with a sniffle.

“That’s good,” Molly said pulling her niece into a hug.

“Why did he do that?” Bree asked.

“Taylor’s two. They call it the terrible twos. They get into everything, learn the word no, and generally try out everything they’re not supposed to do. Anything bad they can think of, they do,” Molly added with a sigh.

“So, does Taylor still like me?” Bree asked.

“He loves you, Bree. He just doesn’t like to be told that he can’t do something,” Molly explained.

“I don’t like to be told I can’t do stuff either, but I don’t throw stones,” Bree informed her aunt.

“And Taylor shouldn’t be throwing stones,” Molly affirmed.

Bree pulled away from her aunt. “Can I still look after Taylor?” she asked.

Molly smiled. “I’m so happy you still want to.”

“I do, and so does Ashley, right Ashley?”

Ashley nodded in agreement. “But no more stones,” she added.

“Let’s see if Taylor is ready to apologize,” Molly said as she headed back to the sun porch. They all followed her. “Are you done crying?” she asked Taylor. He nodded his head. “And no more throwing stones.” He shook his head. “Then you can play with Bree and Ashley as long as you say you’re sorry to Bree. And you must be a good boy from now on.”

“’Kay,” Taylor said. “Sowwy, Bee.” He stood up.

Molly nodded and off he went outside with the two girls.

“You handled that very well,” Justin said.

“It’s exhausting though. I hate punishing him, but it has to be done.”

“You should have seen Brian when we had to punish Bree.”

“Tell me all about that over a glass of wine?” Molly asked coyly.

“He’ll kill me if you tell anyone else,” Justin warned.

Molly zipped her lips and crossed her heart before they headed to the kitchen to get a bottle of wine.

Some time later Bree and Ashley appeared in the doorway from the sun porch.

“Daddy, can we have drinks?” Bree asked.

“Sure, sweetheart, I’ll get you some lemonade.” Justin stood up.

“Where’s Taylor, Bree?” Molly asked when she didn’t see her son with the two girls.

“He’s okay, Auntie Molly. We brought him in with us. He’s playing with his fireman in the sun porch.”

“Good girl,” Molly told her niece.

Bree beamed. “We need a drink for Taylor too, Daddy.”

“Juice it is,” Justin said as he took the sippy cup that Molly held out to him. “I’ll take this out to Taylor,” he said as Bree and Ashley joined Molly at the kitchen table to drink their lemonade.

Justin almost stepped into the sun porch when he heard Taylor talking. He stopped to listen to what the little boy was saying. Taylor had his fireman sitting on the stool that Molly had used for timeout.

“Are you done cwying?” Taylor asked the fireman. “No? Then you hafta stay there till you are.”

Justin swallowed hard to keep from laughing out loud.

“Are you done now?” Taylor asked again. “You can’t get up, till you behave yourself.” Taylor glared at his fireman on the stool.

Justin chuckled to himself as he called Taylor. “Taylor, come have some juice with us,” he said. Taylor ran over to him. “Do you want to bring your fireman with you?”

“Nope, he’s bad. He hasta stay in timeout.”

“Okaaay,” Justin said as Taylor took his hand and they walked back into the kitchen.



*****



“Have you settled in?” Brian asked as Gerry entered the sun porch.

It was the middle of July, John and his crew had finished the new cottage; Ben and Michael commandeered the first floor while Gerry took over the loft. It was perfect for him. With Michael’s permission Gerry had contacted Michael’s doctor and gotten orders for a simple home exercise program but only to be done under Gerry’s watchful eye. Bree, Ashley and Patrick started day camp. Edna’s Treasures was quiet once again.

“Yes I have, thank you,” Gerry replied.

“How is Michael doing?”

“Better, but he needs to learn how to pace himself. Thank goodness he listens to Ben.”

“More or less,” Brian snarked.

“That’s for sure. But I think if he can get himself into a good routine by the end of the summer he may be able to go back to the city. But he’d be better off here.”

“Then here is where heÂ’ll stay,” Brian stated with authority. “Ben has taken the year off and Debbie has the store under control. Lindsay and the girls have decided to spend time here so Michael will have family around him.”

“Sounds perfect.”

“I sense a but.”

“Not where it concerns Michael.”

“Justin?”

“No, but I have added some light weight training to his exercise program.”

“Sooo, and don’t make me use the whole name.”

“You.”

“Me?”

“Yes.”

“What about me?”

“It’s time for you to lose that walking boot for short periods and with me only.”

“I knew you cared,” Brian flirted shamelessly making Gerry laugh.

“I’ve consulted the hibiscus gods and your orthopedist and they both agree that we can start putting a little weight on that ankle. But as I said only with me and here in the house where it’s level.”

“Hot damn!”

“I thought you’d see it my way.”

“When do we start?”

“No time like the present.” Gerry squatted down in front of Brian to loosen the boot. “All we’re doing today is flexing the ankle, I want to test your strength,” Gerry said seriously. Brian paid close attention to Gerry’s instructions and an hour later Brian had to admit he was tired and his leg was beginning to throb.

“That’s it for now,” Gerry said.

“But...”

“No, I won’t have you overdo and ruin all my hard work.”

“Your hard work? I’m the one doing all the work,” Brian protested.

“Sure you are. You keep that up and you’re going to re-injure yourself and then what will Justin do to you?” Gerry glowered at Brian.

“He’d beat the shit out of me,” Brian said with a certain amount of meekness.

“Exactly. We have to strengthen your ankle more before you can put weight on it without the boot. Tomorrow we’ll do the same but with ankle weights.”

“Okay,” Brian said contritely. He knew when to bow to the experts.

“Good boy,” Gerry said with a smirk.

“Don’t push it,” Brian growled. Gerry laughed.

“I’ll bring you something for the pain then I’m going out.”

“Out?” Brian asked with an arch of his brow.

“I’m having lunch with a certain man of the soil.”

“Ah. Have fun. Play safe and be home before ten,” Brian teased. Gerry just shook his head. He still couldn’t quite get over how he had become adopted by Brian and his family, but he was enjoying it.



*****



“What are you smirking about?” Justin asked a couple of hours later as he came up the stairs into Brian’s attic office. Justin had been cleared to drive so after he had dropped the kids off at day camp he drove into the city to bring paintings to the gallery. Sidney was back in charge full time since Lindsay decided to finally take a long overdue vacation. Justin had spent the morning with him.

“Just looking over the second quarter financial reports for Kinnetik and the garden center,” Brian said as he looked up from his computer.

“And I take it you’re rolling in dough?” Justin crossed the room to plop his ass into Brian’s lap.

“I wouldn’t say rolling but we’re good,” Brian said nonchalantly.

“Uh huh.” Justin knew what that really meant. “Speaking about the garden center.”

“You mean specifically the man in charge of the garden center?” Brian said with a gleam in his eyes as he leaned back a little to gaze into Justin’s glittering eyes.

“Uh huh,” Justin nodded with a devilish smile.

“They’re having lunch.”

Justin laughed. “I can’t believe you played matchmaker.”

“I am a fag, ya know. It’s written in the fag handbook, to be a good fag, one must do a little matchmaking. I think I qualify.”

“I noticed.”

“What else have you noticed?” Brian asked as he did a little bump and grind into Justin’s ass.

“I’ve noticed that we appear to be all alone,” Justin replied as he ground his ass into Brian.

“And what should we do about it, Sunshine?”

“Let me show you,” Justin said as he stood taking Brian’s hand leading him to the futon.

“By all means, McSunshine, lead on.” With a waggle of two sets of eyebrows, the boys took advantage of their current solitude.



*****



“Daddy.”

“What is it, honeybun?” Michael asked as he was resting on a chaise in the shady backyard of the new cottage.

“Mama called me this morning.” JR ignored the ‘honey bun’ part.

“That’s nice.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Why?” Michael asked suddenly alarmed.

“She said something weird.”

“How weird?”

“She was asking about my favorite colors and what kind of computer did I use and how she wanted to know how you were feeling,” JR said looking a little scared.

“What did you tell her?”

“I couldn’t lie,” JR mumbled as she crawled onto the chaise next to her father and laid her head on his chest. Michael’s arms went around her.

“I know, baby. And I’d never want you to lie to her.”

“Daddy, I’m afraid. I love Mama, but I don’t want to leave you. I don’t want to move. Do you think she’ll take me away?” JR sniffled softly.

“I don’t know, honeybun. We’ll work it out, I promise,” Michael said as he tightened his hug.

“Okay, Daddy,” JR said as she shed silent tears.

Ben watched from the back door of the cottage. He couldn’t help but overhear what his husband and JR were talking about. He stepped back inside to make a call.

“Bobby Morrison.”

“Bobby, it’s Ben.”

“Ben? Is Michael okay?”

“Physically, yes, but I think we need to seriously go over Michael’s custody agreement.”

“Has Melanie done something?” Bobby asked with concern.

“Not yet but I’m afraid she might be planning something.”

“Ben, I only handled Lindsay’s end of the ‘divorce’.”

“I know and I’m prepared to go to the attorney who handled Michael’s agreement, but I’d feel happier if you took a look at the paperwork first.”

“Do you have a copy with you?”

“Yes. Something told me to bring it here with us.”

“We have a fax machine in our home office; send it to me. The number’s programmed in.”

“Thank you, Bobby. I appreciate this.”

“No problem. We’re family and family looks out for each other.”

“Five minutes,” was all that Ben could say.

“I’ll be waiting,” Bobby said before he hung up. “Shit,” Bobby murmured to himself. He wanted to call Brian but stopped himself. This was something Michael and Ben had to do. Brian couldn’t fix this.



*****



Across the country, Lorna called out to Melanie. “Hey, baby, come back to bed. What good is a few days off if you’re going to spend them reading contracts,” Lorna shouted from their bedroom.

“Be right there,” Mel called back as she stared at the two legal documents in her hands.

“Hurry up, the sheets are getting cold!”

“Yeah, cold,” Mel mumbled to herself as she studied the documents looking for loopholes.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 9






Justin walked down the lane towards Molly’s cottage. He knew his sister only had a day or two left of her mini holiday in the country. There was something he wanted to talk to her about. He walked through the flower gardens at the front of her cottage, smiling to himself at Brian’s genius of selecting plants that looked wonderful but needed little attention.

He tapped on the front door frame and waited. Molly came to the screen door and with a smile on her face opened it.

“What can I do for you, big brother?” she asked.

“I wondered if you had some coffee and a few minutes.”

“For you, always.” She shoved the door fully open so Justin could enter.

“Dust!” Taylor said from across the room. He was seated on a little stool in a corner.

“You stay put,” Molly ordered.

Taylor screwed up his face but he didn’t move.

“What’s he been up to now?” Justin whispered.

“It’s a long story. Let’s get a coffee first.”

Justin followed her to the small kitchen and sat down at the little table. She poured them each a mug of coffee.

“So what did Taylor get into?” Justin asked after he took a sip of his coffee.

“He’s got this friggin’ fascination with stones. He tried to throw some at Beau when he was doing his rounds this morning.”

Justin shook his head. “Taylor’s nothing if not fearless. Beau scares the shit out of most adults. They wouldn’t dream of throwing stones at that dog. He could rip them apart.”

“I know,” Molly said with a sigh. “But Taylor doesn’t seem to understand that. And I don’t think he realizes that stones hurt when you throw them at someone.”

“Maybe he’ll understand after he has some more time to think about it,” Justin said as he turned to look at the little boy sitting on the stool. Taylor certainly wasn’t a happy camper in his imposed exile on the stool.

“But you didn’t come here to talk about my contrary child,” Molly said. “What’s up?”

Justin hesitated for a moment. Now that he was there he wasn’t sure he wanted to bring up the whole mess with Molly. He took a sip of coffee to buy himself some more time.

“You can tell me anything,” Molly said reaching across the table to squeeze her brother’s hand.

“Ever since I started therapy on my arm…” Justin said slowly. He twirled his coffee mug around and around as he searched for the right words.

“Yes?” Molly said trying to encourage him.

“It’s brought back memories.”

“Bad memories … of when your hand wouldn’t work?” Justin nodded. “I remember that time.”

“I thought you would,” Justin replied. He couldn’t bring himself to look into her eyes. The inside of the coffee mug was much safer.

“Justin, look at me. You survived all that. We all survived, and … we came out better at the end of it.”

Justin looked up to see the sympathy and understanding in his sister’s eyes. He was thankful that was what he saw, instead of anger and fear and distrust.

“I did some things back then – awful things,” Justin whispered.

“You mean that day you tore your room apart and … pushed Mom.”

“You, you knew about that?”

“I heard it all. Mom wouldn’t tell me what was going on with you, but I came out of my room when I heard you shouting. I was in the hall when you shoved her.”

“Fuck!” Justin reacted.

“I was so scared. I didn’t know what else you were going to do.”

“I didn’t know either,” Justin admitted. “I was so full of rage and torment. I was totally out of control.”

“Is that where Rage the comic book came from?” Molly asked as the thought struck her.

“That was a part of where it came from. It was a release of some of that anger and hate. I do that every now and then with my paintings too.”

“I bet I could pick out the angry ones,” Molly said drinking some of her coffee.

“I bet you could too.”

“Justin, it’s okay. You’ve got past all that stuff.”

“That’s the problem,” Justin sighed, “I don’t think I have. I don’t think I ever will. I was scared I might hurt Bree when these feelings started resurfacing during therapy. She was trying to help me.” He admitted that reluctantly, but he thought Molly should know.

“But you didn’t hurt Bree. You wouldn’t. You deal with your demons, Justin. Remember that.”

Justin stared into his sister’s eyes drawing strength from her. “Thanks for saying that.”

“I know that Brian had a lot to do with your recovery. You were much better the next time I saw you back then, after you had been living with Brian.”

“After Mom gave me away,” Justin said sadly.

“She did what she thought was best. And look how it turned out!” Molly smiled trying to lighten Justin’s mood.

“Yeah, but the bad memories are still there.”

“They should be there, but you don’t have to bring them to the fore or act on them,” Molly advised.

“True,” Justin said thoughtfully. “I’m really sorry for how I acted then.” Molly merely nodded.

They sipped their coffees in silence until each cup was drained.

“I have an idea about what to do with Taylor and the stones,” Justin said as he stood up. “Can I give it a try?”

“Sure,” Molly said. “Taylor, Uncle Justin wants to talk to you. You can get off the timeout stool.”

Taylor stood up immediately and ran to his uncle. “I love you,” he said, like that made everything better, and to some extent it did. He hugged Justin’s legs.

“Come outside,” Justin said taking Taylor’s hand.

Molly watched them go out the door as she cleaned off the table. She wondered what Justin had in mind.

“Taylor,” Justin said to his nephew, “you know when you throw stones?”

Taylor nodded. “Bad!” he said.

“Yes, very bad when you throw them at people or animals.”

Taylor stared up at his uncle. He wasn’t sure what he was being told. It sounded like he could throw stones at other things. “Twee?” he asked. Taylor really loved to throw stones.

“Exactly,” Justin said with a smile. “Watch.” Justin picked up a few stones from the gravel path and tossed one at the big tree in the yard. It pinged off the trunk. “See, that didn’t hurt the tree, but stones hurt people.” Justin gently tossed a stone that hit Taylor’s arm.

“Ow! Bad, Unca Dust!”

“That’s why you shouldn’t throw them at Bree or Beau.”

“Oh,” Taylor said with a frown. “Twee?”

“Yes, try to hit the tree.” Justin picked up a few more stones and took Taylor’s hand walking him closer to the big tree. “See if you can do it.” He handed Taylor a stone.

Taylor threw the stone and it bounced off the trunk. “Did it!” Taylor said happily.

“Yes, you did,” Justin said with a smile. He handed Taylor the stones he had picked up. “Throw them one at a time, and only at the tree.”

Taylor proceeded to do just that. He smiled every time the stone hit the trunk.

“That’s genius,” Molly said as she came out of the house. She had been watching at the door.

“That’s me, genius personified.”

Molly punched him in his good arm. “I hope that solves the stones problem.”

“Me too, but there are no guarantees,” Justin cautioned.

“You know,” Molly said with a smirk. “You should stop throwing stones at yourself. Leave the past in the past. What happened then is done, and will not come back to the present.”

“And you know this how?”

“I know everything,” Molly laughed.

“Sometimes I think you do,” Justin agreed giving his sister a big hug.

They both stood, arms wrapped around each other’s waist, watching Taylor try to master throwing his stones at the big tree.



*****



Brian watched Gerry ease Michael onto a chaise in the backyard of the large cottage. Brian and his band of landscapers had created a tropical grotto effect similar to what he saw at the poolside on the estate in Hawaii. The large potted palms added shade and could withstand the heat of the summer. Since the pots were on wheeled stands, they could be moved back into the greenhouse for the winter. The rustling of their leaves had a relaxing effect to the ear.

“Have you finished torturing my friend?” Brian snarked.

“For now,” Gerry answered with a grin. He retreated back into the house then brought out a large pitcher of lemonade with some glasses on a tray. “Behave yourselves,” Gerry teased. “You’re next, Kinney,” he said seriously. “But later, after your visit.”

“Promises, promises,” Brian replied as Gerry went back into the house. “You need anything?” Brian asked Michael.

“A glass of that?” Michael pointed to the lemonade.

“Anytime, Mikey. I live to serve,” Brian smirked as he poured a glass of the cold beverage then handed it to his friend. After pouring a glass for himself, Brian sat back on his own chaise conserving his strength for his own workout.

“I’m sorry, Brian,” Michael said after a while of silence.

“I accept your apology,” Brian said graciously. “For what?” he added.

“I’ve had a lot of time to think about things.”

“What things?”

“Me, you, us.”

“That’s a lot of thinking.”

“Yeah.”

“Come to any conclusions?”

“Yeah. I’ve been a prick.”

“Well, that’s a revelation,” Brian said as he slowly sipped his lemonade waiting for Michael to elaborate. Michael softly chuckled.

“I’ve watched you for years. You wanna know what I’ve learned about you?”

“That I’m the sexiest fag on the face of the planet.”

“Besides that.”

Brian made a royal wave with his hand.

“That I was wrong about you and the Boy Wonder.”

“In what way?”

“For years I kept saying that what me and Ben have is the real thing. That you couldn’t possibly know what true love is. That my marriage was the only real one in the family. I was wrong. What you and Justin have is just as real. Same goes for Emm and Drew and Ted and Allen. They’re all just as real even though they’re all different. Even Riley and Danny have something real, except that men that old shouldn’t be...doing it.” Michael wrinkled his nose in disgust at the thought.

Brian laughed. “You know your mom and Carl...”

“Ewww! Don’t say it out loud. I walked in on them once fooling around on the couch. Carl had his hand down Ma’s shirt and her hand was...” Michael shuddered, throwing Brian into a fit of giggles.

Brian poured them more lemonade.

“I guess we have something to look forward to in our old age,” Brian said.

“I can't believe you said the word old.”

“Yeah, well, I think I’ve given up on my French anti-aging shit.”

Michael gave Brian an incredulous look.

“Not,” Brian smirked and Michael laughed. “I’m not going down without a fight.”

“Scratching and fighting all the way,” Michael said as Brian nodded. “You do throw a mean punch for a fag. I should know.”

“About that...”

“I deserved it. I jumped to all the wrong conclusions, again. I always seem to do that when it concerns you. I can admit that now.”

“Michael...” Brian suddenly was not liking the direction their conversation was going.

“I’m fine, feeling stronger. I even called Bobby’s father. He and his wife are coming for dinner later. I had my doctor brief him and he agreed to check me out while I’m out here, so I wouldn’t have to drive back to the Pitts.”

“That’s nice. Ummm, you’re not letting the professor cook any of his tofu shit, are you?” Brian made a yuck face. Michael smiled, seeing a Bree expression on Brian’s face.

“Emm’s cooking. You guys are all invited. You know Emm likes to cook for a crowd. Of course Rachel and George will be here. The girls are visiting.”

“Wow, you’re a regular hostess.”

“Yeah, I’ll be hosting from the sofa.”

“Hey, it’s a nice sofa.”

“Yeah, it is. Emm did a great job on this place. You all did,” Michael said wistfully.

“What’s wrong?”

“You guys did this for me, didn’t you?”

“Sort of. I’ve been thinking about it since Lindz had to give up the toll house cottage. She was so disappointed but it couldn’t be helped. That place held all the wrong memories.”

“They tried. You tried,” Michael added. Brian nodded. “Bri, you and Justin...”

“He’s the best thing that ever happened to me. If it wasn’t for him, I’d be that over the hill club boy. And have the plastic surgeon on my speed dial. Now, I don’t fight the grey hairs. Not that I have any,” Brian said gratefully as he looked up at his hair line which hadn’t moved either.

“I don’t think a grey hair would have the guts to dare be on your head. Brian, I mean it. I was wrong. Can you ever forgive me?”

“I love you, Mikey. Always have, always will.”

Michael smiled sleepily at his friend as Brian took the glass from his hand.

“Sleep, Mikey.”

“‘Kay,” Michael mumbled as Brian watched his friend snuggle into the chaise then fall asleep.

Brian watched Michael for a few more minutes then stood up. He gathered up the glasses and pitcher and carefully made his way back into the cottage. Ben greeted him and took the tray, leading Brian to the large kitchen.

“He’s asleep,” Brian said.

“I saw. Can I ask what you guys were talking about?” Ben poured himself some lemonade before he put the pitcher into the refrigerator.

“He apologized to me.”

“For…?”

“For being an ass about me and Justin.”

“Ah. Maybe I should apologize too.”

“Please don’t. One heart to heart talk is all I can stand for the day. If you start too, it’ll make my dick soft.”

“We wouldn’t want that, now would we?”

“Nope,” Brian smirked at the big man. “He told me we’re all invited to dinner. Are you sure about that? Will it be too much for him?”

“I thought so but he insists on it. He wants to prove to himself that he’s normal.”

“Mikey has never been normal. And why does he have to prove it to anyone?”

“Mel.”

“What about her? She’s three thousand miles away.”

“But that hasn’t stopped her from trying to make our lives miserable.”

“What has the bitch done now?” Brian asked looking around for JR.

“They’re out driving around, antiquing I think Lindsay called it.”

“Means she’s gonna come back with junk.” Brian made a face. “Answer the question.”

“She’s been pumping JR with questions. Some about Michael and how he’s feeling. I think Mel’s planning to make trouble and push for full custody.”

“She can’t; she and Lindz have an agreement. Besides, JR’s old enough to know where she wants to be. An argument could be made that she has a stable life here. Mel’s fucking some bitch. Just because they live together doesn’t mean it’s all wine and roses.”

“You know something we don’t?” Ben asked.

“Just a hunch. Lorna didn’t seem to be the mother type and Bree doesn’t like her. What are you doing about it?”

“I have Bobby going through all the paperwork.”

“Good. Red is one smart lawyer. He’ll find something.”

“I hope so. It’ll kill Michael if he loses JR; he loves her so much.”

“I know, Professor. The bitch won’t get her claws on your daughter,” Brian declared.

“From your lips...”

“Yeah.”



*****



“Hey, Mim, look over there!” Candy pointed to a lonely table sitting a little in from the road in front of an old house. Lindsay had taken the girls and Richie for a drive up and down all the back roads between the lane and Bridgeton. They had found a lot of little shops that had interesting knickknacks, some genuine antiques and filthy paintings that could actually be worth something once they were cleaned up.

Lindsay pulled over. The table was covered with old jewelry, most of it costume, but a few pieces were from the Art Deco period. Richie jumped out of the car spying all the glittering beads.

“Oooo!” he exclaimed making the girls laugh and giggle. “What?” He looked at the ladies all smiling at him.

“You sound like Auntie Emm,” JR explained.

“Oh, okay,” Richie replied with a smile. He didn’t mind and took it as a compliment.

“They are pretty,” Lindsay agreed as she picked up a bejeweled brooch. “I wish I had a jeweler’s loop.”

“You know about jewelry, Mommy?” JR asked.

“A little. Some of the best art isn’t always in paint and canvas. Did you know that Tiffany made jewelry a long time ago?” The girls shook their heads but Richie nodded. The girls looked at him.

“Antiques Roadshow,” he confided. The girls understood. “I could use some of these beads in my designs,” he said wistfully, his mind running at one hundred miles per hour with new patterns for his clothes.

An elderly woman came out of the house with a bang of the screen door. “Let’s see what she wants for the whole lot. We can clean them up when we get back and see what we really have,” Lindsay whispered to the kids.

The kids nodded.

“Can I help you folks?” the woman asked.

“We were just admiring your beads,” Lindsay said nonchalantly.

“Just cleaning out my closets and drawers. Got too much junk hanging around, I can’t keep up with the dusting,” the woman said.

“I know what you mean,” Lindsay replied with a disinterested tone. “My girls were admiring some of the necklaces. Girls today are always into weird stuff,” Lindsay whispered as she picked up a necklace made of black beads. Lindsay suspected they were crystal not just glass but she wasn’t going to admit it. She made a glance at Candy in her Goth attire then winked at the woman.

“I know what you mean. My granddaughter scared the heck out of me one day when she visited me with her mother. She had gone and dyed her hair purple. Now why would she do a foolish thing like that? She has such pretty blond hair. You remind me a little of my daughter.”

Lindsay smiled coyly.

“I’ve been trying to educate my girls about the finer things instead of all that string and plastic stuff kids today have around their wrists.” JR twirled the colorful string friendship bracelet tied on her wrist. It was the one Curtis had given her.

Lindsay sighed. The woman sighed in sympathy.

“Tell you what, you seem like a nice woman and your children are very polite. Most kids today wouldn’t be caught dead with their mothers driving around looking for bargains. I know my granddaughter never would. Give me fifty dollars and the whole lot is yours.”

“Fifty? I don’t know, that’s a lot for costume stuff.” Lindsay picked up an obviously fake pearl necklace. The clasp was turning green and the paint on the ‘pearls’ was chipping off.

“Forty, but that’s my final offer.”

“Done!” Lindsay said as she dug into her purse. Candy found an empty plastic bag in the car from when they had bought some bottles of water at the general store. After Lindsay paid the woman, JR and Candy started filling the bag with their treasures.

“Thank you,” Lindsay said with a wave to the woman who was smiling thinking she got the better end of the deal.

“Come back next week, maybe I’ll have more things you might like.”

“We might do that. Come along, children,” Lindsay said sweetly. The teens followed her obediently like ducklings back to the car. Once Lindsay was on the road they all broke out into giggles.

“Mom, some of this stuff is crap,” JR said wrinkling her nose like Michael did.

“I know but some of it is genuine. And I want a better look at that brooch.”

“I like the black beads,” Candy said as she held them up to the light. They sparkled even though they were dark. No one was too surprised.

“They could be crystals or obsidian. Either way, they’re yours,” Lindsay proclaimed.

“Thank you!” Candy gasped.

“Could I have the green ones?” Richie asked shyly. Lindsay could tell he was in ‘Nina’ mode.

“Yes, you may. JR, do you see anything in there that you like?”

“Not really, but there’s some pink and purple beads that maybe Bree would like. She can re-string them.”

“Sweetheart! That’s so nice of you. We’ll be home in about forty-five minutes. I’ll clean them up and then you can take them to her. Maybe you can help her make something nice for her and Ashley,” Lindsay suggested.

“Oooo!” JR exclaimed and then they all laughed.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 10






Bree walked between her daddies, each one holding her hand. She looked down at her pink patent Mary Janes as they proceeded down the lane to the new cottage. Bree wanted to wear one of her dresses since they were going to a dinner party, as her Dada called it. She thought she looked very nice in her pink flowered sundress.

“Dada, why isn’t Gus coming to dinner with us?” Bree asked.

“He and Ray wanted some time alone, so they’ve gone to a restaurant in Harrisburg.”

“Oh? Will JR be there?”

“Yes, and Candy and Richie,” Brian replied.

“And Michelle and…” Justin added.

“Yay! Michelle!”

“And don’t forget Cindy. She’ll be there too, but I thought you might be happy that Michelle is home,” Justin said with a smile.

“Hurry up, Daddy,” Bree said pulling on her father’s hand in her hurry to get to the new cottage … and Michelle.

“Evening, Professor,” Brian said as Ben opened the door for them.

“Come on in. Everyone’s pretty well here.”

“Thanks,” Justin said as he handed Ben a bottle of wine.

“Drinks are on the counter when you’re ready,” Ben informed them.

“I’m going to speak to Michael,” Brian said. Michael was indeed ensconced on the sofa, not lying but sitting with no intention of getting up. Brian was glad to see that. He didn’t think Michael should be having this dinner party at all.

“Michelle!” Bree yelled as she saw her mentor and friend across the room. She sped across and practically leaped into Michelle’s arms. “I don’t see you in forever,” Bree said as she hugged the breath out of Michelle.

“You’re getting so big,” Michelle said with a happy smile. It was great to have such an enthusiastic reception.

“I know,” Bree agreed. “I miss you.”

Michelle grinned. “Did your Dada do your hair?” Bree nodded making her off center ponytail bob in response. “I thought so. He has a way with hair, but you really need pink fingernails to go with your outfit.”

“I know, but my daddies don’t like doing nails,” Bree said with a pout.

“How about you come over tomorrow and we’ll have a girls’ day. I have some pink nail polish that will look divine.”

“Ooo, divine,” Bree said happily.



*****



“So, Mikey, this party looks … all right,” Brian said as he sat down beside his old friend.

“I’ll take that as your stamp of approval,” Michael replied with a chuckle. Some things never changed, and that was good.

“You make sure you don’t overdo,” Brian cautioned.

“I’ve been ordered to sit on my fat ass until dinner is served. Then I can move to the table.”

“Good,” Brian said, “and your ass isn’t that fat.”

“Thanks, I think.”



*****



“And we found all this great stuff,” JR was telling Justin.

“Some of it is great,” Lindsay cautioned.

“I want to use some of the jewelry in my clothing designs,” Richie said happily.

“Is Emmett helping you?” Justin asked. The young people sounded like they had had a great day “antiquing”.

“No, Emmett just encourages me. The designs are all my own idea.”

“Is that what you want to do with your life? Fashion design?”

“Oh yes, that’s what I really want to do. It would be so wonderful if that happened,” Richie said with a faraway look in his eye.

Justin could imagine that Richie was picturing himself winning a design competition or setting up his own fashion house. “There used to be a show a long time ago, called Project Runway,” Justin explained. “Unknown or just starting out designers had to compete in design competitions and try to make the best outfit. One designer was eliminated each week.”

“I wish there was a program like that now,” Richie said. “What did the winner get?”

“He, or she, got to show at fashion week in New York.”

“Wow!”

“Maybe by the time you’re ready to start your career there’ll be a show like that again.”

“I’ve already started my career,” Richie said with a smile. “I’ve started dressing people for proms, and I’m going to see if any of the stores on Liberty Avenue might let me sell some pieces.”

“You’ve really thought this through, haven’t you,” Justin said. He could see how serious Richie was. Not many young people knew what they wanted to do when they were so young. Justin could see a bit of himself in the young man.

“I don’t think I could do anything else,” Richie affirmed in all seriousness. “Fashion is it.”

Justin felt a chill run down his spine. It was good to be committed to something, but it hurt so much when people told you that you couldn’t do it. Justin remembered the choice he had to make when his father refused to pay for PIFA. He wanted his son to go to Dartmouth, and that was the only education he was willing to pay for. Justin knew Richie wouldn’t face such a choice, but there might be critics and stores that would denigrate Richie’s designs. They might not be to the popular taste. It was hard being on the fringe.

Justin looked at the hopeful face in front of him. He hoped that Richie didn’t face too many rejections. That could kill any dream. Justin vowed to help if he could.



*****



“Dinner is served, well, not served, it’s ready,” Emmett babbled. “It’s laid out on the counter, so please grab a plate and help yourself. You may sit anywhere.”

“Thank you, your majesty,” Brian said as he passed by his tall friend.

“You thanked me!” Emmett said in amazement.

Brian stopped and turned towards Emmett. “I do appreciate when you take over some of the cooking duties. There’s a limit to how much grilling I actually want to do.”

Emmett chuckled. “You are so full of shit!” Brian raised an eyebrow. “I know you appreciate everything your friends and family do for you and Justin. But don’t forget that we get a lot out of it too.”

“Is that right?” Brian said slowly. “Like full bellies and a place to stay.”

“Like good friends who would do anything for us, and lots of happy times together.”

“Shit, Honeycutt, you’re going to make me weep.” Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek and tried to look nonchalant.

“Oh, go get your dinner, you big old phony,” Emmett ordered. He had noticed the shiny drop in the corner of Brian’s eye.

“Watch the old cracks,” Brian warned, but there was nothing but warmth in his voice. “I hope the food’s edible,” Brian mumbled as he walked away.

Emmett merely grinned.



*****



Everyone found a spot to sit. Bree was situated at a table with all the young people. She was in seventh heaven with so many girls around.

Emmett, Drew and Ben had rounded up all the tables from the new cottage and from other houses on the lane. People were seated in groups of four to eight with whoever had an empty seat. Patrick stayed with his dads, deciding that sitting with Bree wasn’t worth having to listen to all the girlie talk that would be going on at that table. Lindsay took his place, happy to spend time with the young people, and talk about what they had found on their excursion. George and Rachel joined them as well, since their daughters were enjoying time with the other young people.

Gerry joined Brian and Justin who probed for some information about how his dates with Todd were going. Gerry had learned to be tight lipped about his personal life many years before. He refused to fill them in on anything, so they ended up talking about Michael. Gerry continued to be hopeful that the exercise program and good food, along with plenty of rest, could have positive effects on Michael’s condition. Emmett and Drew joined them when everyone had gotten their food.

Michael sat at a small table with Dr. Dan and his wife. Dan was going to examine Michael before he left after dinner. Ben was glad to have a doctor nearby. He knew that everyone in the family had lots of respect for Dr. Dan’s ability.

Brian kept an eye on Michael watching for signs of fatigue. When the main course was done and people were getting dishes of fresh fruit for dessert, Brian saw Michael yawn and stay seated. Ben brought his husband a small dish of fruit. Michael picked at it listlessly. Just as Brian was about to get up and go say something to Michael, Dr. Dam leaned across the table and spoke to Michael. He and Michael got up and headed for the bedroom down the hall. Brian breathed a sigh of relief. Dr. Dan would look after Michael.



*****



“It’s so peaceful out here,” Lindsay said wistfully as she sipped her glass of wine. She and Justin walked out onto the patio. John had installed solar lampposts similar to the ones in the Village Garden and in the back of Emmett’s bistro. The lamps gave off a warm glow, lighting the area without obscuring the starlight.

Justin agreed as he sipped his own glass of wine. He looked at Lindsay inquisitively as she began to laugh. “What?”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to laugh but I find it amusing and amazing watching both Ben and Brian hover over Michael. I don’t think they even realize they’re doing it.” She and Justin giggled.

“You know Michael was always jealous of Ben because he got to fuck Brian. He was always worried that they would reconnect again. Brian and Ben I mean,” Justin clarified.

“Makes sense, if you think about it,” Lindsay remarked.

“How?” Justin asked curtly.

“Justin, don’t make anything out of this.”

“Then explain to me why you think that Brian and Ben would make sense together.”

Lindsay sighed, mentally kicking herself for bringing up the subject. “Try to be objective, okay?” Justin nodded. “Brian and Ben are both successful and respected in their fields. They both have a quiet way about them and both are stunningly good looking. And both so physically fit...and tall. Need I go on?”

“No, I get the point. So why is Brian with me?”

“Because he loves you,” Lindsay said as she knocked on the top of Justin’s head with her knuckles. “Any fool can see that. He’s hopelessly and totally in love with you. And they would have eventually gotten bored with each other; they’re too alike. Ben and Brian are with the right partners.” Lindsay sighed.

“Lindz, are you okay alone?”

“It’s okay, Justin, really it is. It’s about time I learned what it’s like to be self reliant. To depend on myself, make decisions by myself and live with the consequences. And I’m enjoying the peace. Sure I miss having someone to sleep with, someone to share the events of my day with. But truthfully, those moments were so few and far between. I’m learning about myself, and you know something?” Justin shook his head. “I like the new and improved Lindsay Peterson.”

Lindsay smiled. Even in the dim light of the patio, Justin could see how at peace Lindsay was.

“I like her too. You seem content,” Justin observed. “I haven’t seen that expression in your eyes for a very long time. In fact, I think the last time I saw that look was the night you had Gus and you let me name him.”

Lindsay and Justin hugged for a moment.

“Can I paint you?” Justin asked.

“Excuse me?”

“I want you to sit for me.”

“I, you don’t want to paint me. Paint JR or Bree. Why would you want to paint boring old me?”

“Lindsay, you’re far from boring and no way are you old. You’re a beautiful, vibrant and accomplished woman. I want to paint you. I could do it from memory, but I haven’t painted a live model besides Brian for a long time.”

“Are you getting bored with flowers?” Lindsay asked.

“Nooo,” Justin replied with exaggeration. “But I think I’d like to do something more than still life.”

“You’ve been commissioned to do several large portraits.”

“That’s work to make the rent.” Justin grinned at Lindsay. “This would be for fun. I could turn it into a show.”

“I don’t think anyone would be interested in looking at me. Brian, maybe, especially one of your nudes.”

“Then let me paint you in the nude.”

“Justin!”

“Lindsay, I’ve know you since I was seventeen. I lived in your house. I’ve seen more of you than I care to. And just in case you’ve forgotten, I’m gay.”

“Oh ha ha!”

“I can do a series of nudes so you won’t be lonely.”

“A series?”

“Yeah. I can get Brian...”

“Oh big whoop. Half the world has seen him naked.”

“Only the gay half. I wonder if John would sit for me and Gus,” Justin mumbled to himself. He had that look in his eyes that forewarned a big artistic project was in the making. He had that same look when he was engrossed in his henge. “And Ben and Drew, oh they would be magnificent,” Justin went on as he walked deeper into the yard leaving Lindsay standing alone under the lamppost.

“Well, this sort of looks familiar. A blond standing under a lamppost. But I don’t recall that blond having tits,” Brian snarked then he bent his head down to kiss Lindsay’s cheek. “What’s up with our Sunshine?”

“He’s plotting his next project,” Lindsay replied.

“Ah, his next...oh no, not another henge or other project requiring tools?” Brian asked in horror making Lindsay laugh.

“No, nothing like that. He wants to paint portraits.”

“Yeah, and…?”

“Specifically, nudes.”

“So?”

“Well, he wants to paint you.”

“Goes without saying. Bum foot or not, I’m hot.” Lindsay smacked Brian’s arm.

“Conceited bastard is what you are. He wants to paint a series of nudes including me...” Brian waggled his eyebrows at Lindsay. She blushed. “Your brother and Gus. He was also mumbling something about Ben and Drew.”

“They’re hot too. But Gus and John?”

“Brian, if you’re hot then...”

“Yeah, yeah, I get the point.”

“Jealous?”

“No, but I’m not sure if I could see my son naked.”

“You did change his diapers and bathe him.”

“Yeah, but now he’s a man.”

“I think a series of nudes would be well received but I’m going to have to convince him to include, um...I’m not sure how to phrase this.”

“Not so ‘hot’ people?”

“Yes. Artists study the human form, learn the musculature in school. Of course, it’s fun to draw and paint attractive models.”

“Like me?” Brian winked then struck a pose.

“Yes, but you can find beauty and imperfections in anyone.” Brian gave her an incredulous look. “Brian, would you consider Debbie hot?” Brian's eyes opened wide. “You’re an adman, how would you sell someone like Debbie, for instance?”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Her eyes and her smile,” Brian said softly and without hesitation. “She has loving eyes.”

“See. Brian, I look at you and see a stunning man. If I look a little closer, I see that your nose is maybe a little too long and your chin a little too pointed. When I look at myself, I see a crooked smile, small boobs and no waist.”

“I think you’re beautiful.”

“That’s because we had sex and you would never have sex with someone not hot,” Lindsay teased.

“Am I really that shallow?”

“Bri, that was a long time ago and you were being you, Brian Kinney. And the Brian Kinney of that time had standards. We all knew it. Your tricks knew it, so don’t start kicking yourself about it now. No apologies, no regrets.”

“Okay, if you insist. Lindz,” Brian began as he brought her into his arms. “Are you happy here? No bad memories?”

“Justin asked me a similar question. I’m fine and I love it here. You guys did a wonderful thing for the family, building this place for us.”

“More for our sanity than anything else.”

“Bullshit. You love having a full house, but we always felt that we were taking advantage of your generosity. All of you. Now when we invade, we’ll have someplace else to camp out rather than in your living room.”

Brian gave her a squeeze.

“Have you started dating?” Brian felt Lindsay shake her head. “Why not?”

“Not ready, and I’m not sure if I want to date women.”

“Having a craving for some real dick?”

“I’m not craving anything,” Lindsay said as she smacked Brian’s chest. “You’re a beast.”

“I bet you say that to all the boys. Lindz, I don’t care if you fuck a man or a woman. I just want you to be happy,” Brian said as he stared into Lindsay’s eyes.

“I know,” Lindsay said as she gazed back into Brian’s eyes. In the dim light his eyes looked as dark as the surrounding woods.

“I love you,” he whispered, pulling her into his chest again.

“I love you too,” she replied.

“Hey, Bri?” Justin called out from across the yard.

“Yes,” Brian answered still holding Lindsay close.

“Can I paint in your greenhouse?” Justin asked. Lindsay snickered.

“Why?” Brian asked out loud. “I think I’m going to regret this,” he murmured to Lindsay.

“I think the plants would make a perfect backdrop for my models.”

“And what kind of models are we talking about? Palms? Koi?”

“Um, people - naked people.”

“Just my kind of people!” Brian said as he and Lindsay laughed out loud.

“Lindsay told you about my next project,” Justin said as he joined them. Brian held out his arm for Justin to sidle under.

“Yes, she did,” Brian said as he bussed Justin’s head. “And I think it’s a great idea. But I get to supervise when you paint Bobby, Drew and Gerry.”

“What about Ben?” Justin asked, just going with the flow.

“Been there, done that,” Brian snarked as he gave both blonds a squeeze, kissing them both on the cheek then leading them back inside. The blonds just shook their golden heads.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Chapter 11






It was a sleepy Sunday afternoon on Edna’s Treasures lane. Justin was painting, trying to get some of his commissions done before he allowed himself to start on his latest idea. Brian was working on something in his office. Patrick and his dads had gone to visit Claire and Steve.

Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor was not happy. There was no one to play with. She had tried to get Gus to play with her, but he went off somewhere with Ray. He said they needed alone time, whatever that was. Her daddies had told her that they needed at least a couple of hours to do what they needed to do. Bree looked at the clock in the kitchen. It had only been fifteen minutes since they told her that. She looked out into the sun porch where her father was painting. With a huge sigh, she decided she better not interrupt him.

Then an idea struck her. She went to the wall phone in the kitchen and climbed up on the chair. Her daddy had programmed it so Gus was number one on the speed dial. JR was number two. She lifted the receiver and hit number two.

“Hello?”

“JR, can you come play with me?”

“Bree, where are you?”

“In the kitchen.”

“Why don’t you come over to the new cottage? Everybody’s here. We’re going to make some jewelry with the beads we got at a yard sale.”

“Everybody’s there?” Bree asked with a frown. They hadn’t invited her.

“Yes, Candy, Richie, Michelle and Cindy.”

“Michelle? Oh,” Bree said dejectedly.

“What’s wrong?”

“Michelle said she would paint my fingernails pink. I think she forgot.”

“Maybe she did,” JR agreed. She looked at Michelle who merely shrugged. She had forgotten. “If you come over here, you can get your nails done and we’ll make a bracelet,” JR suggested.

“I can’t.”

“Oh? Why?”

“My daddies said I can’t go anywhere without telling them.”

“So tell them.”

“They said I couldn’t interrupt them for two hours,” Bree informed her sister.

“Oh, are they in the bedroom?”

Bree heard giggles in the background. “No,” she said. “Daddy’s painting and Dada is in his office.”

“Too bad,” JR said with a laugh.

“Huh?”

“Um, nothing. Listen, I think I can fix this. Hang up.”

“Okay,” Bree said as she set the phone back in its cradle. JR didn’t want her either by the sound of it. How could she fix anything? Bree turned around in the chair, where she had been kneeling, and sat down. She crossed her arms on her chest and pouted. Beau stuck his head into her lap having realized that something was wrong with his littlest human.

“You can’t fix this either, Beau,” Bree said petulantly, but her hand caressed the big dog’s head.

Up in his office Brian’s cell phone rang.

“Yes,” he said tersely as he flipped his phone open, not appreciating being interrupted.

“Uncle Brian, it’s JR.”

“Hello, little miss, what can I do for you?”

“I just had a call from Bree. Apparently she doesn’t have anyone to play with.”

Brian chuckled. “Is that what she told you?”

“Yep.”

“And what do you want me to do about it? Play with her.”

“No,” JR said. “She told me that she was supposed to let you and Uncle Justin work. She wants to come to the new cottage to be with us, but she’s not allowed to go anywhere without telling you where she is.”

“That’s right,” Brian said, remembering the incident from the stream that had happened a few days earlier. “But I don’t see what the problem is.”

“She’s not supposed to interrupt you, so she can’t ask permission,” JR said like she was talking to a second grader.

“Oh, riiiight.”

“So, can you give her permission to come over here? Michelle will paint her fingernails, and we’re going to make some bracelets.”

“Did she coerce you into calling me?” Brian asked. He didn’t like when Bree manipulated people.

“Coerce me? No, not at all. I volunteered to call. We should have invited her to join us, but she’s so much younger and sometimes we forget,” JR admitted.

“Okay, if you’re sure it’s all right. I’ll send her over in a couple of minutes.”

“Thanks,” JR said before she hung up.

Brian walked down the spiral staircase thinking about what he wanted to say to his daughter. “Bree?” he said as he entered the kitchen and saw Bree sitting on one of the kitchen chairs, looking like her world had just fallen apart, which Brian supposed, it had. Beau’s head rested in her lap. At least he was keeping the forlorn little girl company.

“Hey, Squirt.”

“Hey, Dada,” came a little voice in response.

“What’s the matter?”

“Nobody wants to play with me.”

“Is that right?”

“Yeah, Gus and Patrick left me, and JR and all the girls and Richie are making jewelry, and I can’t do nuffin’.”

“We could remedy that,” Brian said.

“Huh?”

“JR just called me. She wanted to know if you could join them at the new cottage.”

“Oh? Can I?” Bree said brightening up.

“Did you tell her to call?”

“No, Dada, but she said she could fix it that I could go there, but I didn’t believe her.”

“You should have more faith.”

“You mean I can go?” Bree asked jumping off her chair.

“I mean you can go,” Brian said. Bree flew at him hugging him hard. “You’re getting so strong,” Brian observed.

“Yes, Dada,” Bree agreed. “Can I go now?” Brian nodded. “Thank you, Dada.”

“Bree, I appreciate that you didn’t go without permission. You did the right thing.”

“I done good?”

“You done good.”

“Yay!” Bree crowed, and then she was gone like a little whirlwind leaving the house.

Brian watched her race down the lane, as he closed the front door that she had completely forgotten about in her haste.

“JR, thank you, thank you!” Bree gushed as JR opened the door of the new cottage.

“You’re welcome,” JR replied with a big smile, returning Bree’s hug. “Come on in. Michelle went up to Auntie Rachel’s and got her pink nail polish. She’s ready to give you your manicure.”

“Ooh,” Bree said. “What are you making?” she asked Candy.

“I was going to make a bracelet, but I think it’s going to be a necklace. Do you like it?”

“Pretty,” Bree said.

“I think you should get your toes painted too,” Richie suggested. “I got Emmett’s foot bath for you.”

“You’re going to be pampered beyond belief,” Michelle said as Bree sat in a chair and, kicking off her pink vans, she stuck her feet in the warm water of the foot bath. She smiled at everyone, feeling like she was wanted and a part of the group and not left out. This was what she had been missing all day.



*****



“Hey, got a minute?” Brian said as he approached Justin.

“For you, always.”

“Right answer.”

“What’s up?”

“We need to remember that Bree is a girl,” Brian said seriously.

“Of course she’s a girl. What are you talking about?”

“She got left behind today when everybody went out and we told her not to interrupt us. The girls and Richie were having a beading party at the new cottage and she couldn’t go without permission.”

“Well, at least she learned that lesson,” Justin said.

“Yeah, but she needs to spend time with girls. We should have thought about that.”

“Oh, yeah, you’re right.”

“I’m always right,” Brian said with a smirk.

“And so modest too.”

“But of course.”

“Asshole.”

“How’s your painting coming?” Brian asked as he looked at the canvas. “It doesn’t look overly inspiring.”

“It’s not done yet.”

“I can see that.”

“I’d much rather be painting my nudes.”

“All in good time. I could take my clothes off and give you a preview,” Brian suggested.

“You’re not helping.”

“I wasn’t trying to,” Brian smirked. “We have the house to ourselves.”

“Oh, well then…” Justin grabbed Brian’s hand and they headed to the bedroom.



*****



The month of July in the year 2020 seemed to have vanished and August was moving along just as fast. The Edna’s Treasures lane was quietly settling into a pleasant routine. Michael was making slow but steady progress back toward good health. The whole family was helping but in a surprisingly nonchalant fashion.

“Who’s that?” Justin asked as he heard Brian buzz the gate open.

“Debbie. She's delivering several trays of lasagna, and she’s ready to clean.”

“Clean? Between Lindsay, Emmett and Ben, the B&B sparkles,” Justin said.

“I know but it’s her way of doing something for Michael without mothering him,” Brian explained.

“Oh, and why haven’t you given her the gate code?”

“And have her and everyone else drive in whenever they want? It’s bad enough that that big fairy down the road has free reign of our house, you want Debbie to have it too?” Brian looked horrified. Justin knew it was only bluster.

“Her son is living here now.”

“No, he’s visiting, and when he’s all better, he and the professor will go back home to the Pitts where they belong.”

“And what if they want a cottage of their own on the lane?” Justin asked with his head in the refrigerator.

“I’m afraid there’s no more room at the inn.”

“You’re so full of shit and you know it, Bri. If Michael wanted a place of his own you know you’d be the first to design his garden,” Justin said as he handed his recalcitrant spouse a cold beer. Taking Brian’s silence as affirmation, Justin changed the subject. “When are you going to finally be rid of that walking boot?”

“Three days, five hours and twenty-nine minutes,” Brian responded by grabbing Justin’s wrist to look at his watch. Brian swung the younger man into his arms.

“You made that up,” Justin declared not resisting Brian.

“Maybe, but the doc did say I could go without the boot starting this Monday and Monday is in...”

“Three days, five hours and twenty-eight minutes,” Justin finished Brian’s sentence. “So how do we celebrate?”

“Not by going dancing, that’s for sure,” Brian stated, swaying his hips against Justin’s. “I’m not ready for anything like that, but Gus asked if we could go shopping. He’ll be returning to school soon.” Brian leaned down to give Justin a kiss. He loved quiet moments like this where nothing in the world mattered except for the man in his arms.

“Dada!”

And then again...

“Yes, Squirt?” Brian asked without letting Justin go. Sparkling hazel eyes and blue eyes met as they grinned at each other and then at the whirlwind who just ran into the kitchen.

“Everybody is going shopping,” Bree said with her little arms outstretched for emphasis.

“Is that right?” Brian asked calmly as Justin looked up rolling his eyes.

“Yes, Dada.”

“And why do I need to know that?”

“Cause...” Bree said softly, looking down as she scuffed the tip of her pink sandal on the floor.

“Cause why?” Brian asked coolly.

“Cause I want to go shopping too.”

“And what kind of shopping would you like to do?”

“I don’t know. School shopping?” Bree asked hopefully. She knew enough not to say for clothes. Her dads would lecture her on how many perfectly good clothes she already had in her closet.

Justin and Brian snickered as they exchanged looks.

“She’s onto you, Bri,” Justin chuckled.

“Yeah, just like her daddy. Well, Squirt, who’s going on this shopping expedition of yours?”

“Huh?” Bree asked somewhat perplexed. She wasn’t sure if she had gotten permission to go shopping or not.

“We are!” Emmett announced loudly as he and Richie walked through the front door of the cottage.

“Actually, a lot of us are,” John added as he and Patrick came in from the hall. “We’re going to caravan into Harrisburg for some back to school shopping. There’s a certain young man who insists on growing like a weed. None of his pants fit,” John said as he threw a proud papa look at his son. Patrick had enough of the Kinney genes in him and they were going straight to his legs at the moment.

“Lindsay and the girls will be going with me,” John went on.

“I’ll bring up the rear with Richie and the boys,” Emmett said referring to Gus and Ray. Ray would be going back to New York soon so the boys wanted to spend as much time together as they could. Ray had his own shopping to do; he might as well do it with Gus. They probably wouldn’t see each other again before Thanksgiving.

“You wish,” Brian snarked, getting a toothy grin in return. “Well, I see I’m outnumbered. So Squirt, you want to go shopping with everyone too?”

“Oh yes, Dada!” Bree said as she bounced excitedly up and down on her toes.

Brian handed his credit card to his brother. “Please don’t max it out; she has enough clothes to dress a small country,” Brian pleaded.

“Don’t worry, little bro, Miss Briana and I will be making a run to the thrift store soon. I’m sure she has many clothes that can be donated. I know Patrick does,” John reassured his brother. Brian nodded. Brian remembered how after one of Unca John’s talks, Bree made a generous donation.

“Well, then I guess that’s that,” Brian said.

“Do you want to come with us?” John asked Brian.

“I’ll pass, someone has to work to pay for this expedition of yours, but if you give me the heads up when you’re on the way back, we’ll have the grills fired up and dinner cooking,” Brian replied.

“Sounds like a plan,” John agreed. “Justin, how about you?”

“Actually, I have more painting to do before I start on my next project. I might as well take advantage of the quiet.” Justin did want to finish up his current work and commissions so he could devote his time to his nudes.

“Okay, then it’s just us,” John said. “Princess, go get yourself ready, and get your brother. Time to get this show on the road!” John said with glee.

“GUUUUSSSSS!!!” Bree ran off to her brother’s room. John snickered.

“Not bad, big bro,” Brian said with an evil grin. Emmett and Justin just shook their heads.

“I’ll go let the girls know that we’re ready to go,” Emm said as he and Richie went out the door. John and Patrick followed them to go get John’s Navigator.

“Bri, do you really have to work?” Justin asked when they were alone.

“Not really. Ted did forward some contracts to me for approval, why? Wanna fool around?” Brian asked with a lascivious leer.

“No, I mean yes, but not right now. I really want to paint. I just thought maybe you could go spend time with Michael and Ben.”

“You mean with the men-folk since the women-folk are going shopping?”

“Don’t let your brother hear you say that, but yes. I think you should spend some time with them.” Justin gave Brian a sincere look.

“All right, Sunshine, if you think so. But you know that means I’ll have to work it off later tonight on your ass.”

“Work what off?”

“The huge plate of lasagna that Debbie is going to insist that I eat for lunch,” Brian said as he walked out the door.

“Looking forward to it,” Justin said with a grin as he went to the sun porch to prepare to paint.

“Bye, Dada!” Bree called out from the back seat of John’s Navigator. She was frantically waving at her father as the big SUV slowly drove down the lane. Brian waved as he headed for the new cottage, watching as the Navigator slowed and Drew’s Hummer pulled up behind it. Brian laughed, Emmett was bringing up the rear, so to speak. He took a big breath as he opened the door to the new cottage preparing himself to be mothered and stuffed with lasagna.



*****



On the other side of the country Melanie stretched in bed. It was very early but Lorna was already out of bed. Their condo sounded quiet so Melanie assumed her partner had already gone to work. Ever since they had gotten back from Pittsburgh it seemed that Lorna was doing that a lot lately. The sex was still good, more than good if the deliciously tingly feeling in her nether region was any indication, but then sex was never their problem. Did she and Lorna have a problem? Mel wasn’t quite sure. It seemed that they had grown distant and more quiet. Lorna was a quiet person, preferring her own company, just spending time at home or at a quiet wine and cheese bar after work with friends.

Lorna’s friends. Mel didn’t quite fit in. Too East Coast for Lorna’s friends. Mel thought they kept staring at her waiting for her to leave. Melanie wasn’t prepared to go back to the Pitts with her tail between her legs, even if it didn’t work out with Lorna. Maybe Mel had been too hasty jumping into the bed with ‘the boss.’ Well, it was too late now. She had a contract with Lorna, so no matter what happened with them personally, Mel still had her position at the law firm. The phone ringing brought Melanie out of her reverie.

“Hello.”

“I’m glad you’re awake,” Lorna said curtly.

“What’s up?”

“I’ve been giving this a lot of thought, and I think it would be better if you go to visit your children at the end of the summer instead of them coming here.”

“Why?” Mel asked sitting up in bed. “You and JR got along so well when she was here.”

“No, we tolerated each other. And this place is too small for all of them to stay here.”

“But we discussed this.”

“No, we didn’t. You told me that you wanted Gus and his boyfriend to come just before they go back to college. We didn’t discuss anything.”

“Why are you being so confrontational?”

“And why are you determined to move your children here? I got the impression that they are very happy where they are.”

“They’re my children!”

“No, they aren’t, not exclusively. They have another mother and two different fathers to be considered. Not to mention that they aren’t just children that can be uprooted and transplanted anywhere. Your son is halfway through college, and JR is very happy running her father’s store.”

“How do you know all this?”

“I listen, Mel. I heard and saw everything I needed to know about the family you left behind. It would be cruel and inhuman punishment to try to take them away from all that. My advice is for you to get on the computer and book yourself a flight to Pittsburgh before the cost is too high.”

“Are you talking as my lawyer or as my lover?”

“Doesn’t matter, my advice would be the same as both.”

“And do you want me to come back?”

“Your choice,” Lorna said as the line went dead.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Throwing Stones

Epilogue





Two weeks before the beginning of the new school year, Lindsay decided it was time to take the girls back to Pittsburgh. Their vacation on the lane was almost picture perfect, Lindsay thought. Almost, except for Michael’s illness. A couple of good things did come out of it - JR and her father loved spending time together and Michael appeared to be stronger, thriving surrounded by his family.

Emmett and his boys were closing down their cottage as well. The holiday season party planning was about to begin and it was already time for pre-season football. Molly and her men were spending a few more summer days before they closed up their cottage. Gus and Ray were spending their last few days together frolicking in the stream and everywhere else they could think of to frolic.

Brian had his hands full of shit...manure. Now that he was finally free of his walking boot, Brian was attacking the gardens on the lane with gusto. Much to Gerry’s displeasure. It amused Brian to see their resident physical therapist sigh with frustration as Brian hauled bags of mulch around the garden. Gerry decided he was much better off sticking with the one patient on the lane who would at least obey him.



*****



“Bee!” Taylor toddled over to Bree as she was planting mums in the small window boxes of her Wendy house. Brian had taken the boxes out of the windows and discarded the older summer flowers that were beginning to fade. He was fully prepared to plant the mums when Bree begged to do it all by herself. “I’m eight, Dada, and I’ve been doing this my whole life!” she explained with her little arms opened wide for effect. Brian pretended to consider her request then magnanimously acquiesced.

“Taylor, where’s your mommy?” Bree asked her cousin. She knew Auntie Molly would never let Taylor wander around alone.

“Mommy!” Taylor pointed toward the main garden. Bree stood up to see her Aunt Molly and her daddy sitting at the edge of the garden talking and keeping an eye on the little boy.

“Oh,” Bree said then went back to her plants.

“Bee...tonezzz. See!” Taylor tugged on the sleeve of Bree’s t-shirt as he held out his hand showing Bree his pebbles.

“Stones,” Bree corrected.

“Stonessss,” Taylor repeated.

“Good,” Bree praised her young cousin. “Taylor, what are you going to do with your stones?” Bree asked cautiously. She did not want Taylor to throw his stones at her.

“Watch me, Bee!” Taylor said as he bounced excitedly up and down. Bree watched as Taylor ran toward the nearest tree. He stood a couple of feet away from the tree then threw his stones. One pebble hit its mark making Taylor jump for joy.

“Yay!” Taylor exclaimed then laughed and clapped his little hands, very proud of his accomplishment.

“Yay!” Bree repeated, happy that the stones hit the tree and not her or anyone else. She pondered the little boy for the moment then made the ultimate decision. “Taylor?” Bree began as Taylor was arming himself for his next assault on the tree.

Taylor looked up as he squatted on the ground.

“Would you like to gar-gar with me?” Bree asked pensively.

“Gar-gar?” the little boy asked as he lost all interest in the stones then toddled over to his cousin.

“Yes. Gar-gar. It’s very important,” Bree said succinctly and with authority.

“Portin?”

“Im-por-tant,” Bree schooled her young pupil.

“Im-po-tan,” Taylor repeated to the best of his ability.

Bree sighed. “Close enough,” she said with all the wisdom of an eight year old. “So do you wanna help me?”

“Yay! Gar-gar!” Taylor exclaimed as he bounced up and down with excitement. “Wha do?”

Bree handed Taylor one of her hand shovels and began to show the little boy how to dig a hole in the window box for the root ball of a mum plant. The toddler could barely hold the shovel let alone dig, his frustration became apparent. Taylor threw down the shovel then picked up a pebble.

“No!” Bree shouted. “Wait,” Bree begged. “Stay here,” she pointed at the ground. “Okay? Stay right here.”

“‘K,” Taylor replied but he was already getting upset. He watched as Bree took off in her fastest sprint toward the large shed. Within minutes she was back with a small plastic pail.

“For you,” Bree said as she presented the pail and its contents to her cousin.

“Me?” Taylor asked as he dumped out the pail onto the ground. He picked up each item to examine. As he did Bree named each item and explained its use. This was her first set of gardening tools that her Dada had given her, small but made of a durable plastic, strong enough to withstand the most stubborn two year old. Taylor was in awe of his smart and knowledgeable older cousin.

Carefully watching how Bree handled each tool, Taylor and Bree began to plant the fall mums in the Wendy House window boxes.

“I don’t believe it,” Molly said to her brother in a whisper as she did a double take.

“I don’t think they can hear you,” Justin said with amusement.

“And I can’t believe how nicely Taylor is playing,” Molly said ignoring her brother’s remark.

“I don’t think they’re playing. Gar-gar is very important business to Bree. What I can’t believe is the patience she’s exhibiting,” Justin said making the realization that instead of becoming angry at her cousin, Bree was taking the time to show him how to plant. “Our kids are growing up.”

“Amazing!” brother and sister said in unison then giggled softly to each other.

“I wish I had my camera with me,” Molly said.

“I have something better,” Justin said as he jumped up to scurry inside the sun porch. He was back in a flash with his sketch pad. Molly watched with awe as her brother’s nimble fingers flew across the page capturing the tableau before them. She smiled to herself as she noted that her brother was again holding the pad in his once injured left arm and sketching with his right. Things were certainly looking up for Molly’s cwazy wittle family.



*****



“I can’t believe the summer’s almost over and we’re both going back to school,” Gus said as he and Ray were sprawled across Gus’ bed.

“I know. Bobby and his firm threw a lunch for the interns on Friday. I’m going to miss you,” Ray said sadly as he reached out to link his fingers with Gus’. “When are we leaving?” Ray asked. Gus was going to drive Ray to Pittsburgh where they were going to stay at the loft for a few days. Then Ray would fly home and Gus would drive back to Penn.

“I guess we can all caravan back with everyone else,” Gus suggested. Ray nodded.

“Then maybe we should pack,” Ray said sensibly.

“Yeah,” Gus agreed, rolling over onto Ray. Gus’ body had other ideas.



*****



“Hi, you guys ready to head back to the Pitts yet?” Justin asked as he came into the B&B. Lindsay had her suitcases airing out in the large communal living room.

“Soon. We all decided to go back together,” she said.

Justin nodded. “So have you decided to sit for me?”

“I’m not so sure,” Lindsay said looking down at herself. She had been cleaning, doing laundry and organizing the girls’ stuff all morning. She wasn’t feeling exceptionally sexy at the moment.

“Lindsay, you’re a beautiful woman. Please, I really want you to sit for me.” Lindsay was still hesitant. “I got Debbie to do it,” Justin sing-songed with a grin.

“You’re shitting me?”

“Nope.”

“Is she completely naked?” Lindsay whispered even though they were all alone in the room.

“No. Wanna see?” Justin asked with a coy smile. He not so innocently batted his eyes at the tall blond.

Lindsay laughed. “Justin Taylor, does your husband know how much you flirt?”

“Yup!” Justin said proudly as he took out his sketch pad from his ever present messenger bag. He flipped it open, revealing Debbie’s sketch.

“Oh my god!” Lindsay exclaimed. “She’s gorgeous!”

Justin had Debbie wrap herself in a sheet and with a few strategically placed safety pins, it gave Debbie the look of a zaftig Greek goddess. Justin had her reclining on a chaise surrounded by Brian’s plants and orchids. The sheet was just low enough to reveal the swell of Debbie’s ample breasts without actually seeing anything and one curvaceous thigh was just visible. Justin limited the colors to just Debbie’s hair, the green foliage and the pastel colors of the orchids.

“This is unbelievable. Not that Debbie isn’t attractive, I mean she’s an older...oh fuck!” Lindsay turned crimson as Justin laughed. “I’m glad Debbie isn’t here to hear me. She’d box my ears,” Lindsay stumbled over her words. “Justin, you do know what I mean? This is really beautiful.”

“I know and even Debbie was thrilled with it. She wants me to paint a full portrait to give to Carl. I think he’ll appreciate it.”

“If not, Debbie will wallop him good,” Lindsay said. She couldn’t take her eyes off the sketch.

“Now will you sit for me?”

“If you promise to make me as beautiful as Debbie, I will.”

“Go take a shower and meet me in the greenhouse,” Justin said as he headed out the front door. “And no make up!” he threw over his shoulder. He laughed when he heard Lindsay curse.



*****



“Are you sure the doors are locked?” Lindsay asked half hidden behind a potted palm.

“Yes,” Justin said for what seemed like the millionth time. “The only other person who has the key is Brian and he’s busy in his office. Besides, he has seen you naked.”

“But not in a long time,” Lindsay murmured. She wasn’t totally naked. Justin had her draped in a sheet as well. Sort of. One small piece of cloth was draped diagonally over Lindsay’s shoulder revealing one creamy white breast. She was leaning into the palm as if she was contemplating climbing it. Her hair flowing back and the curve of one buttock visible, the other hidden under cloth. Her leg was bent, resting on a small stool and her arms were uplifted, giving the impression of an Amazon woman ready to take to the trees.

“Are you sure?”

“I’m su...”

A loud wolf whistle interrupted Justin’s assurance.

“Hello, mama!” Brian announced his presence in his usual and subtle way.

“Lindsay, I’ll kill you if you move!” Justin quickly growled. Lindsay muttered soft curses but didn’t move. She knew just how important maintaining the pose was. Brian made himself comfortable on a nearby bench.

“You know for a gay man, you get awfully horny looking at a naked woman,” Lindsay deadpanned.

“Not all naked women, just you. I seem to recall you knew which buttons of mine to push. Are you sure you’re a lesbian?” Brian teased knowing that Lindsay occasionally enjoyed a bit of dick.

“Brian, if you make her move, I’ll kill you too.”

“Yes, dear.” Brian sat back quietly, looking smug and admiring the view. Lindsay was about to protest until she realized that the view Brian was admiring was that of Justin engrossed in his art. Lindsay relaxed, unable to hide her grin.

“Oooo, stay just like that,” the artist commanded. The model did what she was bid.



*****



“Babe, can I get you anything?” Ben asked Michael as he came out of the house to the patio.

“No, I’m fine. Where’s JR?”

“She, Candy and Richie decided to picnic by the stream.” Ben sat next to Michael.

“Will they be okay?”

“I’m sure they will. The water is very calm and barely up to their knees this time of year. They’ll be fine.”

“Do we have to go back?”

“Back?”

“To Pittsburgh. Everyone is packing.”

“No, we’re staying and I’m sure somebody will be back for the holidays. It won’t be just us and the guys for the whole winter.”

“It’s okay; I think I’m looking forward to a quiet winter. Ben, what if we get snowed in?”

“We have it covered, Babe. Don’t worry about it. Your job is to rest and get better.”

“Okay. Ben, thank you.”

“For what?”

“For everything. Taking care of me and putting up with all my shit.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I know what I did to you.”

“What did you do besides marry me and make me the happiest man on the planet.”

“Made you think that you couldn’t live up to Brian. I’ll never stop loving him but it’s different. I was never in love with him. And I was jealous that you got to do the one thing I didn’t.”

“Me and thousands of others.” Ben snorted.

“Yeah.” Michael chuckled. “You and me have something good, don’t we?”

“Yes, we do and we’ll have it for a very long time.” Ben reached out to hold Michael’s hand. They sat quietly enjoying the last of the summer’s days, warming themselves in the sun.

“Glass houses,” Michael mumbled.

“What?”

“There’s a saying that people living in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. I promise not to throw any more stones.”

“I love you Michael,” was all that Ben could say.

“I love you too.”



*****



“I’m all packed. Here are my travel arrangements just in case you want to contact me.”

“Very good. I’ll call if I have any questions. Am I driving you to the airport?”

“No, I’ve called a cab.”

“Good. Then enjoy yourself.”

“Enjoy myself? I’m going back to spend time with my kids before school starts. I’m not off on a cruise.”

“Are you saying that you won’t enjoy spending time with your kids?” The comeback sounded accusatory.

“Of course I’ll enjoy spending time with them.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“The problem is that you’re not coming with me. The problem is that you sound almost happy that I’m going to be away for a couple of weeks. Are you planning to move while I’m gone?”

“Are you planning to come back?”

Melanie and Lorna were at a standstill, neither woman willing to back down or compromise. Before either of them could say something they’d regret, a loud honk signaled the arrival of Mel’s taxi.

“I’ll let you know when I get to the hotel,” Mel said blandly.

“Have a nice trip,” Lorna replied in a cool tone.

As Melanie shouldered one bag and rolled her suitcase to the curb, Lorna’s cell phone rang. Just before Lorna shut the door Mel heard Lorna greet her caller.

“Bethany! How long has it been? You’re in town? We must get together...”

‘Fuck!’ Mel cursed to herself as she got into the taxi and headed for the airport.

-end-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1412