Be Good to Him by SLHR
Summary:

stories/66/images/Fotor0511222912.jpg

AU after Brian breaks Justin's heart in episode 2. This is Mpreg, but I really like Mpreg. Craig marries Justin off to an abusive man after finding out Justin is pregnant.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor
Tags: Abuse/Child Abuse, Anti-Michael, Family, Justin/Other, Language, Minor Character Death, Minor Violence, MPreg (Yup! Went THERE!)
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 42144 Read: 95832 Published: May 11, 2016 Updated: Jan 16, 2017
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Prologue by SLHR

2. Mommy Dearest by SLHR

3. Toyland by SLHR

4. The Trials of Ted by SLHR

5. Christmas Eve by SLHR

6. Stowaways by SLHR

7. Presents by SLHR

8. Dixie by SLHR

9. Home by SLHR

10. Ted Talks by SLHR

11. A Fally by SLHR

12. Dinner and a show by SLHR

13. The Date by SLHR

14. New Beginnings by SLHR

15. Calling Names by SLHR

16. The Test by SLHR

17. Baby? by SLHR

18. The House by SLHR

19. Lindsay by SLHR

20. The Storm before the Storm. by SLHR

21. Wide Awake by SLHR

22. Past Forward by SLHR

Prologue by SLHR
Author's Notes:

Chapter has a bit of child abuse and spousal abuse.

 

 

“Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband…” Justin tuned out after that, he had already done his part.

This wasn’t how he pictured his eighteenth birthday. He pictured going out with Daphne, maybe hitting a dance club or something. But that wasn’t what was happening. What was happening was he was marrying a man that was older than his father.

Maxwell Stevens was a business associate of his father’s. After Justin had confessed to his parents that not only was he gay but also pregnant he thought they would kick him out. It looked like a close call too.

When he meet Brian Kinney, he thought he was in heaven. But it wasn’t heaven, it was hell. Sure the man was an amazing lover but when he went back to see him the man callously broke his heart. Not being a glutton for punishment, he didn’t go back. That was until he started to feel sick all the time and Daphne made him take a pregnancy test. He hadn’t even known he was a carrier until the test turned positive.

That night he went looking for Brian to tell him. He wasn’t able to find Brian but he did tell Michael, Brian’s friend. After Michael said the baby couldn’t possibly be Brian’s, and Justin was just a gold-digging whore. For the second time in two months he left Liberty Avenue in tears. Michael had been so cruel, even going so far as to call the baby a bastard.

So after three more days, he finally told his parents. For a few days he thought they would kick him out. But then his father told him how it would be. He said if Justin was sure this was the ‘lifestyle’ he wanted; he would have to follow what he said. Maxwell came to dinner a few times then out of the blue he proposed. The look in his father’s eyes told him what his response had to be.

Early on his dad gave him three choices. Leave with the clothes on his back and take care of his baby himself. Give the baby up, go to Dartmouth and get a girlfriend. Last was do whatever his dad said and he would get to keep the baby.

He would fully admit to being spoiled, he never had to take care of himself. Yes, he was sheltered from the big bad world. Then just the little taste Brian and Michael’s heartlessness had him running home.

So he picked the option that suited him best, the third one. Best may be a stretch though. Maxwell scared and repulsed him at the same time. The man wasn’t ugly unless you were talking about his soul. He was tall with salt and pepper hair. A nice body with only a slight belly. But it was his eyes that sent chills down Justin’s spine. There was something dangerous lurking in the respected CEO’s eyes.

They only waited for his eighteenth birthday so he could sign the pre-nup. Always make sure you protect your assets when you marry a boy toy, Maxwell had told him once.

The only thing that got him through the day to day life was knowing he would have his child in the end of it.

The wedding went off without a hitch. During the wedding night and whole honeymoon, he shut his brain off. After all Maxwell didn’t really want a husband just a boy toy. It was at his father’s insistence for the marriage.

The nineteenth of June his son Thomas Brian Kinney was born. His husband didn’t want to adopt or have the baby have his last name. That was all good for Justin. It did upset him that his father didn’t want the baby to have Taylor has his last name either. So he was able to give Thomas Brian’s last name. His father wouldn’t let him leave the father’s place blank on the birth certificate. His exact words were ‘I don’t care if you have to make up a name, you will put one down.’ So Brian was listed as father and the best part was his father and husband thought it was all made up.

By Tommy’s third birthday he’d known something needed to happen. His son was treated as vermin, maybe worse. Tommy and Justin were both made to call Maxwell Sir. Justin didn’t care, he called the man asshole in his head anyway. But it did seem to bother Tommy, why wouldn’t it. Now Tommy was sitting on the bed playing with a small toy, one of the few toys that Justin had been able to get for him.

Maxwell had two nephews and a niece that come over regularly. They have a huge playroom that Tommy wasn’t allowed to even look in. It broke Justin’s heart to see his son treated that way. But Maxwell owned him for lack of a better word.

Tommy played with his toy and Justin sketched him, sitting on his chair by the window. A sketch pad was the only artistic item along with a few pencils he was allowed to have. The marriage felt more like a prison but it always had. When Maxwell stomped in, Justin could tell it was going to be bad.

“This room is a sty,” he snapped. The room was Justin and Tommy’s, Maxwell didn’t want Justin in his room, something it was thankful for.

Besides the few toys on the bed; the room was immaculate. He had learned that early on to keep everything orderly and clean The first black eye was a good clue on the man’s teaching method.

“I’m sorry, I’ll clean it up,” he said, trying to defuse the man’s anger.

Maxwell walked over to the bed and snatched the toy monkey out of Tommy’s hand. Tommy started to cry and Justin got up from his spot by the window to pick Tommy up. But before he had a chance to Maxwell yanked Tommy up by the arm and started to hit his bottom and top of his legs.

“Stop!” Justin shouted.

He was able to pull his screaming son into his arms. As he started to turn away from Maxwell the man backhanded him in the face. He fell back onto the bed still clutching his son.

“You need to stop babying him.”

Justin raged. “He is a baby.”

“I’m getting real tired of this.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll be out of here in an hour.”

“You’re crazy if you think you’re taking my child with you.”

Frozen to the spot, his mind reeled. Justin didn’t realize Maxwell knew, he should have though. Everything Justin did was captured on video, including telling his mother about the baby on her last visit.

He could no more give the baby he was currently carrying than give up Tommy.

“That’s what I thought,” Maxwell said when Justin hung his head. He was utterly trapped. Even if he left, Maxwell would win any custody suit.

A few days later, and Tommy had bruises to show from that day.

An answer finally occurred to him. Justin may be trapped but Tommy wasn’t. As much as he didn’t want to lose his son, he had to do what was best for him. Tommy didn’t ask for any of this. He didn’t deserve any of it either.  

Ripping a sheet out of his sketch pad he wrote a letter to Brian. Then ten minutes later he packed a bag with everything Tommy had, it was a measly amount. Brian my not want anything to do with him but he couldn’t believe he would turn away his own son. He remembered the love on his face looking at his son Gus after he was born.

Justin knew he couldn’t leave with a bag and Tommy. Every move was being watched but all he needed was to get Tommy out. Maxwell wouldn’t care, he would probably throw a party. But if Justin left with him he would loss his mind thinking he was leaving him.

“Maria,” he called quietly to the housekeeper as she was preparing to leave for the day. She was a very nice woman, and was always kind to him and Tommy. She would even sneak cookies to Tommy.

“Justin, what happened to your eye?”

He shook his head, best not to say it out loud. She knew what happened anyway. It was a known secret in the house that Maxwell beat on him.

“That’s not important. I need you to take Tommy to this address.” He handed her the envelope that held the letter and Tommy’s birth certificate.

“What, I don’t understand,” she said, taking the envelope.

Justin picked Tommy up and raised the back of his shirt. There were black and blue marks peeking out from his underwear.

“Oh my lord. My poor baby.” She took Tommy into her arm, crumpling the envelope some.

“I’m pregnant. He’ll take this baby if I leave. I can’t get out of this hellhole but Tommy can. Please take him to his father. You can’t let him see you though, he might not take Tommy then.

“Are you sure he’ll be good to him?” she asked, biting her lip.

“He has to be a better option then here.”

After a few more back and forth questions, she agreed. Handing Tommy back to Justin she grabbed the bag.

“I love you so much. Daddy will take care of you, I know it. He is really amazing. You have a big brother that you’ll get to play with. I’ll miss you. Be a good boy for Daddy.”

“I will, pa,” his son said quietly.

He knew Tommy could tell something big was going on. He handed Tommy to Maria and cried as she left with him, Tommy crying in her arms.

“Please, Brian, be good to him,” he said into the empty room.

 

Mommy Dearest by SLHR
Author's Notes:

Brian has two visitors for the night.

 

 

Now that his treatments were finally done he almost felt like himself again. Looking down at his flaccid cock he had to stress the almost part. He stopped going out with the gang when the first trick didn’t elicit any reaction from him below the waist. The doctor had told him that it was all in his head, like that helped anything.

To make matters worse, his mother started showing up for weekly visits. After he got sick his mother ran into Debbie at church. She told his mother about the cancer. He would rather she stayed on her own side of town. He was a strictly Christmas and her birthday kind of son. He would allow Deb this slip up since they had just lost Vic.

It was Thursday night and his mother always showed up on Thursday night recently. If she had been this attentive when he was younger maybe he wouldn’t be so messed up. But alas she wasn’t and he is.

A fleeting though occurred to him to tell her he was gay. That would get rid of her in a New York minute. But even though he hated to admit it, there was always a part of him seeking love and acceptance from his parents. He hadn’t gotten that from Jack, who was long dead now. But he had died knowing his sonny boy was queer.

A knock sounded from his door. He turned off the shower and dried off. Deciding to only put on jeans and a wife-beater he headed for the door.

He really needed to talk to the building owner to fix the lock downstairs. Before he got sick he considered buying the building but he had just started his own agency, it wasn’t the best time for another big purchase. Kinnetik was doing amazing, despite their rough start. It was Cynthia’s idea to take online suggestions for the name. They offered five hundred dollars to the winner. When he saw the name Kinnetik he knew it was perfect. The winner didn’t leave a real name or email address so they couldn’t award them the money.  But he still kept the name, he wasn’t stupid.

The pounding on the door drew is attention back to it. It couldn’t be any of his friends or they would already be yelling at him.

He wasn’t surprised when he slid the door open he saw his mother.

“Yes?” he drawled.

“Brian, I’m so glad you’re home,” she said, passing by him.

“Come on in,” he said sarcastically.

His mother flounced around like she owned the place. Not really being in the mood for her today he decided to ignore her until she got her fill and left.

Walking over to the fridge he pulled out a bottle of water. Needing to keep hydrated because he had just started exercising again getting ready for the charity ride. An hour ago he was at the gym, listening to Michael bitch that he was overdoing it. So he just finished on his treadmill at home.

When he got sick he didn’t tell anyone at first. Ted figured it out because he worked for him at Kinnetik. . Then he told Deb, so she would forgive him for saying something a little on the callous side about Vic passing away. Then Deb processed and told everybody.

Sitting down on his couch he watched as she looked around his loft. Like it had changed since last week. The Naked Guy painting she avoided looking at, it was kind of funny.

Someone choose that moment to knock on his door. God, this was feeling old now. Opening the door; he was surprised at what he saw. There was a little brown haired boy sitting on the floor in front of him, gnawing on a chocolate chip cookie. It was a big damn cookie at that. The boy looked pretty damn content with the cookie.

The boy was in a ratty tee and jeans with holes in the knees. His shoes where brown and worn hard. On the front of the shirt a envelope with his own name and address printed neatly on the front. Behind the boy was an even rattier duffle bag.

“Who is it Brian?” his mother asked. “Oh my.” She came to stand beside him.

He started to slid the door shut, not really registering what he was doing. His mother stopped him by grabbing his arm.

“Whose child is that?” she asked.

“No clue but they’ll come back and get it when I shut the fucking door.”

“Da,” the small boy said, smiling widely at him.

“Did he just call you dad?”

“Nope.” Couldn’t be, he had never seen this child in his life. But it did sound pretty close to dad.

“Oh, there’s a note,” she said, reaching for the note.

Knowing if someone was trying to pass this kid off as his, it would be a man. He reached down and picked the small boy up. He looked a year younger than Gus, so around three. Gus at that age was extremely shy, this child just smiled at him and held out the cookie to offer him a bite.

“No thanks,’ He said, a smile threatening to break out on his face.

Sitting the boy down on the kitchen island he unpinned the note. He started to read while the boy continued to munch.

Dear Brian

I know you probably don’t remember me. We met the night your son Gus was born. You might be wondering why Tommy is with now. That night he was conceived. Before you start, yes I know he is your son. You’re the only man I had sex with at the time. I have since married. My husband is not a kind man. Until yesterday his anger and temper has always been directed at me. But yesterday he beat Tommy’s butt, back and legs before I could get him away. I am currently pregnant with his child. I would never win a custody suit against him. But I cannot let Tommy be hurt again. You are my only chance.

Tommy is a sweet boy; he’s never had much because my husband wouldn’t allow it. Ig he recognized you it’s because we look at pictures online that we find of you. We only get to when my husband lets us go to the library but it’s enough. He’s been calling your image Da since he was one. I have many allergies so if you wouldn’t mind too much, get him tested. My husband wouldn’t spend the money on Tommy. Inside this envelop is his birth certificate you are listed as his father and he shares your last name. To cover your bases, you should get a DNA test and get a court order for full custody because of abandonment. That way no matter what Maxwell tries he can no longer hurt Tommy.

Please, when he gets older tell him I did this for him. Take care of him. Please, be good to him.

                                                           Justin

Brian reread the letter two more times. A hazy memory came to him. A virgin under a lamppost. The kid helped name Gus. After he left the kid crying he thought that was the end of it. It had been the first time in a long time he felt bad.

Looking back up at the chocolate covered face of the boy he could see the family resemblance. He looked so much like Gus, the only difference was paler skin and blue eyes. He would do the DNA test for legal reasons but he knew this was boy was his.

“Stay,” he said to the kid.

Walking over to the drawer he grabbed a dish cloth and wetted it. The cookie was finally gone. The boy let him wash the sticky chocolate off of his face, the smile never wavering. He wondered how the kid could be so happy in the company of strangers. But then he remembered the letter, the boy had been beat- his boy.

Picking the boy back up he sat him on his feet on the floor. Bending down he lifted the back of the boy’s shirt. Anger surged through him at the sight of the bruises there. He pulled the boy’s pants and underwear away from his bottom, more bruising. When it had happened to him he just remembered being sad. But having it done to his son, true a son he just found out existed, but it was still his son. Now all he felt was rage, but he controlled his face so he wouldn’t scare the boy.

“Brian, who is this boy?”

He had forgotten his mother was there. Lowering the shirt; he turned and looked at her.

“My son, apparently.”

“Jesus wept,” she muttered.

“You need to leave. I’ve got to go somewhere.” He hoped that Lindsay still had some of Gus’s old clothes. There was also a conversation with Mel he needed to have. He needed to know his rights. She would probably bitch at him but when she saw the bruises he knew she would help him.

 

Toyland by SLHR
Author's Notes:

The start of Brian's new life, and a peek of Justin's current one.

 

 

“What? Cat got your tongue?” he said after he explained the situation to the munchers.

Lindsay gulped before speaking. “What do you expect us to say? You show up at night with a three-year old. You tell us he was abandoned at the loft and he’s yours.”

“Well he looks like he could be Gus’ twin, that and the conception and birth are the right time. His birth father was that kid I brought to the hospital with Mikey when Gus was born.”

“Christ, Brian, you knocked up that kid. He was only seventeen,” Mel snapped.

“I’m sorry not everyone can be as saintly as you. Now if you’re done bitching at me I would like to report my son’s abuse to an officer of the court.”

That seemed to snap both women out of their indignation. They turned to look at the boy sleeping in his arms. Thomas had fallen asleep in the jeep on the drive over. It was a lucky thing that he had Gus earlier that day and hadn’t moved the car seat from the backseat.

“He was abused?” Lindsay asked, anguish clearly written on her face.

“There are bruises on his bottom, legs and back.” Thomas had his head on Brian’s shoulder, still sleeping. It was easy to left the back of his shirt to show the bruises that were visible.

“Oh, god,” Lindsay gasped.

“Son of a bitch. His birth father did this to him?” Mel asked, anger darkening her eyes.

“No, his husband did. Apparently he’s pregnant again and doesn’t think he has a chance in hell to get custody of that baby. So he left him in front of my door.”

“Not if he lets his husband beat on his child,” Mel criticized.

“From the letter he wrote, it seems this is the first time. He said that every other time that it has been on him. But I think the abuse even if it wasn’t physical until recently it’s been emotional for a long time.”

“I think we need to take him to the hospital and get this reported. It will be better for you in the long run. Like if the guy comes back and tries to take him.”

Even though he didn’t want to get the kid in trouble he couldn’t let this go. Thomas had been abused much longer than a day or so. It didn’t matter if it was only physical now, it was emotional before. He had physical, emotional and verbal abuse aimed at him. He would be damned if it happened to Thomas a second longer. Hopefully, after a day or so he could talk Mel and Lindsay into taking him in. He didn’t feel like he could be the parent the kid deserved. 

Maxwell had found out about Tommy a few hours earlier when he came home. Maria had been fired when Maxwell couldn’t get her to tell him where she took Tommy. Justin was thankful for that. Brian needed time to get everything straightened out before Maxwell found him.

It was a complete surprise to him that Maxwell seemed to care. But Justin knew it was only because he wasn’t in control of what was going on with Tommy. The thought of someone being nice to Tommy seemed to aggravate him. That didn’t matter to Justin, he could take whatever Maxwell dished out now. Tommy was safe and that was all that mattered.

The new bruises covering Justin’s body didn’t even really register to him. All his thoughts were on Tommy, because if he thought about the baby he was losing at that moment he would truly breakdown. Maxwell lost control and didn’t stop until Justin was bloody on the ground. He had cleaned himself up as best as possible before the pain in his belly started. He knew what was happening because it had happened before, although Maxwell didn’t know about that one.

Thoughts of Tommy playing with his big brother and father danced in his head. Tommy smiling, playing with any toy he wanted, and not one person to take the toy away and say he’s not allowed. When Maxwell came back into the room to finish what he started earlier it was good to lose himself in the blackness of the unknown.

Four days since he became a full time father and he was ready to pull his hair out. Melanie was all about helping him keep Tommy out of that home. She was also all about making him take responsibility for his actions. So now his loft was a damn toy store.

When everyone had heard about his life before he came to Brian they came out, and like gay men and Debbie they did it fabulously. He would have gotten mad but not when he saw Tommy’s face.

The Day After Tommy’s Arrival.

Tommy was sleeping peacefully on the bed while Brian browsed online looking for a kid’s bed. He didn’t want anything too ostentatious, just something simple but nicely built. Tommy hadn’t said much to him the night before. At the hospital he mostly held onto Brian and tried to bury his face in his chest. They talked to the doctor and the cops. The cops made a report and told him to keep in contact if the other father contacts him. From the way it seemed they were just letting this go as rough punishment but they took pictures and kept the letter as evidence. They also ran a DNA test; he should have the results by the end of the week.

At the hospital Melanie made it clear to him that Tommy was his child. He hadn’t even brought up the subject but she knew anyway. They both knew if he asked Lindsay, Tommy would have a bed in Gus’ room by the end of the business day.

As he browsed around online for a bed he heard the intercom buzzer go off. Just as he was headed over to answer it there was a pounding on the door.

As he slid open the door he was shocked to see Michael and Ben. They both were holding large bags with a local toy store on the front of them.

“What the hell Mikey? Did you rob a toy store?”

“Damn near,” Michael said good-naturedly.

“Where can I set this stuff?” Ben asked, holding up his bags.

“Back at your place.”

Just then he heard the lift start up and knew it was coming up to his floor. Apparently the munchers were up early spreading the news.

It didn’t surprise him when Debbie shuffled out of the lift with her arms filled with bags, Carl behind her holding some kind of casserole.

“Where is the little darling?” she asked, bumping him out of the way as she walked inside. Carl gave him a sympathetic look.

“Tommy is asleep? Unless you are talking about the trick I had the other night,” he said, coolly.

“Well, those days are long over now. Congratulations, it’s a boy,” Deb said, eyes searching for the boy.

Anger filled him at those words but he wouldn’t take the bait. They were all waiting for him to freak out. Well, they could wait ‘til fucking doomsday. He wouldn’t give them the satisfaction.

“Hello.” He heard Ben’s smooth, calm, voice say. Looking up he saw Tommy standing at the top of the steps to the bedroom.

“Tommy come here,” Brian said gently. Tommy ran down the steps and threw himself at Brian’s legs. It must be a little overwhelming having the place filled with strangers just when he was getting used to Brian.

“Wow, he really does look just like Gus,” Michael said.

“Holy Shit, another kid in the family. I just can’t believe it. But I guess I should have expected it with as many men you have stuck your dick in. One had to be a carrier, along with a condom failure,” Debbie added.

Brian ignored the dig and picked Tommy up. The boy’s shaggy hair fell into his face; he would have to get a haircut soon.

Ben started to take toys out of the bags they brought. There were a lot of toys in one bag, they must have spent at least one of the professor’s paychecks on it. When they were at Lindsay’s last night he got a few outfits, but Tommy refused any of the toys, almost breaking down when Mel tried to give him some. Tommy had woken up as they were getting ready for the hospital. Mel tried to give him one of Gus’ old bears. Tommy just said no, that he wasn’t allowed. It was heartbreaking.

“Tommy, look what we got you,” Ben said, holding out a toy dinosaur. A stegosaurus.

Tommy looked at the toy with wide, wanting eyes. But he didn’t reach for the toy.

“Here, take it,” Ben said, softly.

Tommy looked at Brian’s face then back at Ben, then back at Brian. Brian got it then, he was waiting for him to tell him what to do.

“Go ahead, Sonnyboy. Take it.”

Little hands tentatively reached out for the dinosaur, he looked like he was expecting to be hit at any minute. It made Brian wonder if it really was the first time he was hit, maybe it was just the first time Justin had seen it happen.

Once Tommy had the dinosaur in hands he pulled it to him.

“Steg’saurus,” he said quietly.

The whole room quietened down and looked at him. He was only three, how in the world did he know what kind of dinosaur it was?

“Yeah, it’s a stegosaurus. How did you know?” Brian asked, clutching Tommy closer to him.

“Pa,” was all he said.

The next hour was amazing to watch. Tommy got toy after toy, his face lightening up like crazy at every one of them. Then Debbie served the tuna casserole and the boy looked at it like it was from a five-star restaurant.

By the end of the day he had more toys then he knew what to do with. Ted, Emmett and Cynthia showed up later with just as much stuff as the others. Shockingly, the next day Joan showed up with three bags full of clothes for Tommy, and they weren’t even horrible.

Now he was waiting for Lindsay to drop Gus off. It was the first time the boys would meet each other. Tommy had been asking where Gus was. It seemed Justin told Tommy about him. Brian had wanted to make sure he felt comfortable before bringing Gus over. It was finally time, Tommy’s bed had just come in yesterday and he put in up a privacy screen.

Lindsay arrived just on time with Gus. Mel had been put on bedrest the day before. Now hopefully he would be able to move two feet without being yelled at by the harpy.

“Brian, it looks so different in here.” It did, there were toys everywhere. Not in a cluttered way though, Tommy was obsessed with keeping everything nice and tidy. So much, that it was a bit worrisome.

“I know; it looks like a fucking toy store.”

“Daddy!” Gus yelled. Brian caught the boy as he flew towards him.

“Sonnyboy, I missed you,” he said, hugging Gus to him.

There was a small noise behind him, he saw Tommy looking at them with tears in his eyes.

“Gus, did Mommy tell you about your little brother?” he asked, knowing she had.

“Yep, I’m a big brother.” He squirmed to be let down. Turning to Tommy he walked over to him. “Hi, Tommy, I’m Gus. I’m your big brother so I get to tell you want to do.”

“GUS!” Lindsay and Brian both shouted.

Gus turned back towards them. “What? That’s what my friend Eli says. When you’re a big brother you get to boss around the little brother.”

All the time Tommy watched the interaction. His tears had dried, now he just looked curious at this new rambunctious boy. Last year Gus had been extremely shy, but now he was just so loud and outgoing.

“Be nice,” Lindsay said.

Gus huffed and turned back to Tommy. “You got toys?” he asked.

Tommy nodded his head warily.

“Wanna play together?” Gus asked.

“Share?”

“Yep, you got some really cool looking toys. But we don’t have to play with your toys if you don’t to share. We can play tag or lava.”

Brian watched as his two sons pretended the floor was lava and jumped from surface to surface. He was close to yelling at them but the total joy on both of their faces stopped him. Had he ever felt so carefree and happy when he was their age? No, he hadn’t. He was too busy trying to stay out of Jack’s way, wishing his mother would stop self-medicating and take him and Claire away. But that didn’t happen. The past was not going to repeat itself.

Thinking about his home life made him remember Tommy’s other father. The letter he wrote said it all. He had already given up. That meant the only person that Tommy truly loved and trusted was doomed. Tommy maybe adjusting here but he missed his father terribly and cried for him at night.

At that, another thought occurred to him. If he was able to get Justin out of that situation, and into his own place. Maybe even in his own building. If he was able to do that, they could share custody, and his life wouldn’t have to change so much. He would be able to go on with his life like normal and be able to still have Tommy in his life and watch over him. All he really had to do was help Justin keep custody of is unborn baby.

 

 

 

The Trials of Ted by SLHR
Author's Notes:

Ted has a life too you know.

 

 

“Sir, what’s your name?”

Justin heard the question but he couldn’t answer. He felt like he was floating. He knew he was moving because he could see the lights move. There were more questions that he couldn’t answer, so he just closed his eyes again and let his mind slip away. The last thing he thought about was what his husband would think if he knew the baby hadn’t been his.


Ted Schmidt walked through automatic doors of Alleghany General’s Emergency Room. He had been called by his ex-boyfriend Blake. They weren’t together anymore but they still were friends. He’d been glad that Blake was still clean in his battle with meth addition, just like he was glad he was as well.

When Blake called him earlier there was a spilt second that he thought the he had fallen off the wagon. But that wasn’t the case. Apparently, Blake was driving down the road and someone jumped out in front of his car. He dodged the guy but hit a tree. He had whiplash, along with some seatbelt burns he said on the phone.

Walking up to the reception desk he hoped that he wouldn’t have any problem.

“Hello, I’m looking for Blake Wyzecki,” he said to the tired looking receptionist. It was way past midnight.

She looked at him, then down to her computer before typing in the information. “Trauma Room Five. Through that wood door and to the left,” she said pointing towards said door. She pushed a button releasing the door and he headed in. He found room five pretty easy.

“Blake,” he called, entering. He couldn’t see Blake because the curtain was pulled.

Pulling back the curtain he saw there was a mistake. It wasn’t Blake laying in the bed but another small blonde. For some strange reason he looked a little familiar but he couldn’t place him. He must have seen him around town was all.

Leaving the room, he went to the nurses’ station. A tall, brunette nurse was looking at something on a computer.

“Excuse me, I wonder if you could help me?” Ted asked.

The man looked up. and Ted was swallowed in by deep green eyes. The man was absolutely gorgeous. Ted did his best not to swallow his tongue or make a fool of himself. Or both.

“What can I do for you?” the man all but purred.

Not being able to help himself, Ted turned around looking for someone else who had chosen that moment to talk to the gorgeous nurse. Nope, there was no one. With wide eyes he looked back at the man. So much for not acting like a fool.  

“Umm…I…umm. I’m looking for my friend Blake Wyzecki. The receptionist said he was in Trauma Room Five but that wasn’t him.”

“Ah. Mr. Wyzecki was moved to six and the boy in six was moved to five.”

“Why?” It made no sense to Ted.

Mr. Gorgoeous’ eyes shifted very slightly. “Apparently, Mr. Wyzecki had been in five before and it brought bad memories. It was no problem since we had yet to put Mr. Degas in his room.”

“Mr. Degas?” The name didn’t seem to fit the blonde man.

“He’s a John Doe till he wakes up, but I’ve always hated that. So I’m calling him Mr. Degas, he looks like an artist to me.” Again the eye shift. “Here let me show you to Mr. Wyzecki’s room.”

Blake was sitting sideways on the bed. Just from the look at him, Ted could tell he was antsy.

“Blake.”

“Oh, Ted. Thank you for coming to give me a ride.”

Ted felt the nurse brush against him on his way out. It felt like the man grabbed his ass. But that couldn’t be right. Could it? What was all that about? Maybe the man was messing with him.

“It’s fine. Are you getting released soon?”

“Yeah, doctor is filling out the discharge papers now. Were my eyes deceiving me or did my nurse just feel you up?” Blake’s eyes narrowed.

“I’m not entirely sure. So what exactly happened?” he asked, changing subjects.

“This blonde guy ran right in front of my car. I swerved to miss him and hit a tree. He’s in the next room. He woke up some when the ambulance got there but not since, at least I don’t think so. He left in the first ambulance I was taken in the one a few minutes later.”

“I just saw him a minute ago. Do you think he’s going to be okay?”

“I don’t know. I hope so. I didn’t hit him but someone sure did, not with a car though.”

“So room five gives you bad memories?” he asked, still not sure what to think about anything.

“What? I mentioned I had been in five when they put me there. My nurse then all the sudden switched rooms, said I wouldn’t have bad memories then. I wasn’t having any bad memories I was pretty out of it my first visit. It was weird but I didn’t argue with him.”

That just left Ted with more questions than answers. He finally decided that it just didn’t matter that much. Whatever was going on didn’t concern him.  

On his way out Ted was shocked beyond belief that the nurse, Erik, gave him his number. Ted didn’t miss the way Blake scowled at Erik as they left. He didn’t say much of anything else to Ted before he dropped him off at home.


Ted met Erik at the little café close to the hospital. He couldn’t believe he had been dating this magnificent man for over a month.

“Well, hello, sexy,” Erik purred. Ted still couldn’t get over the fact that Erik liked him…really liked him.

He kissed Erik lovingly on the lips before taking a seat at the table Erik was seated at.

“Sorry, I’m late.”

“Thirty seconds, Ted. That’s not late.”

“Well, I’m still late. Brian has been a bear lately. He’s been looking for Tommy’s other father but the man’s husband said Justin ran off with the gardener.”

“And you believe that?” Erik asked as he fiddled with the menu. Erik knew the whole story, Ted had told him. When Ted introduced him to everyone he had been worried Brian would steal him away. That didn’t happen though. They barely noticed each other, too busy with their own thoughts. Ted did catch Erik looking at Brian a couple times but it wasn’t lust, it would something he couldn’t decribe.

“Oh, I have big news,” Erik said happily.

“What?”

“I start foster classes tomorrow. If everything goes right, I’ll be able to foster Marissa.”

Ted sighed. “Honey, I don’t want you to get your hopes up.”

This had been almost all they talked about. Mr. Degas was still in his coma and it had been almost two months. The man had been four months pregnant when he was beat. It was a miracle the baby had made it this far.

Because Erik’s a float nurse, he was moved to long term care while one nurse was out with a broken wrist. He had gotten attached to Mr. Degas and his baby. Usually he would be moved to maternity but the hospital couldn’t afford him to take up valuable space when he and the baby wasn’t in danger. He was just in coma as Erik put it. For the past month Erik had been lamenting over what would happen to the baby when she was born.

Erik had been able to pull quite a few strings; Ted still didn’t know how. They had given him a good maybe, that if he got certified as a foster parent he could get the baby until Mr. Degas woke up.

Ted didn’t want Erik to get his hopes up. There was still three months someone from the man’s past could show up.

“You always do that. Can’t you for once think positive,” Erik snapped.

His love was usually as sweet and docile as possible but say something about this one subject and he went from zero to pissed off in one second flat.

“I’m sorry. I’m happy for you, really.”

“For us,” Erik corrected.

Suddenly, Ted was the one becoming annoyed. Not once had Erik asked his option or if he wanted this. But as always, Ted swallowed his annoyance and smiled at Erik.

“Can you name her?” he asked finally.

“The state will give her a name and documentation. It will be able to be changed when he wakes up.”

“Really? Let’s say she’s five when he wakes up. Is it fair to have her suddenly be called something different?”

“I thought we were going to eat lunch.”

He knew to leave it alone, so that’s just what he did.


“Thomas Brian Kinney, get down!” Brian yelled.

When Tommy first came into his life he was a meek little thing. Now he was a little freakin daredevil. He was still on the quiet side but usually only around people he didn’t see often.

Currently, he was hanging off the jungle gym, just by his legs. It looked like Gus was trying to copy but he was not as nimble as his little brother.

As of yesterday he had full custody of Tommy. Justin hadn’t shown up at the hearing, but that was to be expected he hadn’t been seen in two months. Brian had met the husband and it took everything in him not to beat the man within an inch of his life. The man had made a play for custody but was shut down quick by Brian’s lawyer. Maxwell Steven’s said that Justin run off with the gardener.

They were able to get his mother to fill out a missing person’s report. She had recently left her husband, taking her daughter with her. It was four years too late for her son. He begrudgingly let her see Tommy because the boy really wanted to see her.

Not one of them believed that Justin ran off with the gardener.

 

Christmas Eve by SLHR
Author's Notes:

Christmas comes to Liberty Avenue. Ghosts of the past come back for a visit.

 

 

“This one?” Tommy asked pointing at another present under the tree, this one with superhero wrapping paper.

“That’s Uncle Mikey’s.”

“This one?” He pointed to another one, plain blue covering it.

“Gus.”

“Hmm…this one?” Now pointing to a red one, the same shape and size as the blue one.

“Oh, I don’t remember,” he said, smirking.

The lip came out in a pout. Brian was unable to keep the game up.

“I remember now, that’s Tommy’s.”

“Mine?” he asked, megawatt smile on his face. Brian loved that smile, it reminded him of Justin on the night Gus was born - well before the drugs really hit him. The memory gets a little hazy after that.

“You are Tommy, right?” The boy nodded his head rapidly. “Then I guess that one is yours.”

There was one present under the tree for everyone. He had fought hard against the idea of getting a tree. But it all had been for naught when he was forced to take Tommy and Gus to see Satan umm…Santa at the mall.

The boys loved seeing him so he couldn’t really complain, at least not that much. Tommy would only sit on Santa’s lap if Gus was with him. The man thought they were twins, even though Tommy was a bit smaller than Gus.

Tonight they were all going over Debbie’s for Christmas Eve dinner. Deb had given Tommy an awful looking sweater to wear for the night, but Brian nixed that idea. He wouldn’t have any child of his looking like they were attacked by an argyle sweater monster.

“This one?”

Tommy now pointed to a midnight blue present. It was small, only holding a picture frame with Tommy’s Christmas picture in it. It was for Justin, but he didn’t want to cause Tommy any pain at the moment. It had been about six months since anyone had seen the man. He wasn’t coming back. An ache hit him in the chest, one day he would have to tell Tommy that his father was probably dead. One way or another Maxwell was going to pay for his crimes.

“Hey buddy boy, why don’t we go get ready.”

“YAY!” the boy yelled before running over to his dresser.

Brian found out early on his children didn’t like the same nickname. So Gus was Sonny Boy and Tommy was Buddy Boy. The boys didn’t have too much sibling rivalry but when it did rear its ugly head, it was bad.


“Are you sure this dress looks good on her?” Erik asked as he held up a sleeping Marissa.

Ted looked at the sleeping week-old baby, she was in a tiny red Christmas dress.

“She looks fine, honey.”

After Erik brought her home Ted knew he was screwed. Erik had a serious attachment to the baby. There were rumors that he heard that they thought that Mr. Degas might be waking up from his coma soon. If that was true, once he was well enough he would take his baby back. Then Ted would be stuck with Erik, who would be broken-hearted.

“I don’t think I should take her. She’s still too small, there will be other children there - carrying germs.”

Instead of fighting Ted said, “If that’s what you think. You are the professional.”

After talking himself into it and out of it four more times, finally Erik decided to take Marissa to the party.

As they were leaving, Ted’s phone went off. It was the private investigator saying he hadn’t found anything.

“I’m going to go to the office for a minute,” he told Erik as he buckled Marissa in her carrier.

“I thought we were going together,” Erik said a little bitterly.

“I will be, I promise. There is just something I need to check on before I get to Deb’s. I’ll meet you there.”

“Promise?”

“I do.”

As much as Ted loved Erik, he just felt the man wasn’t being completely truthful. So he had to tell a little white lie himself. It felt wrong that Mr. Degas was in that long-term care facility all by himself on Christmas Eve. There was a kinship between them, coma Sufferers-R-US. He didn’t even know that his daughter was taken from him C-Section a week ago. As soon as they stitched him up they sent him away. It just felt so wrong to Ted. He just wanted to tell Mr. Degas how well his daughter was doing.


For a while the voices sounded closer and closer, now they sounded right there. Earlier he moved his hand, he knew he did. Now all he had to do was open his eyes.

“She’s doing really great,” the voice said.

Justin didn’t know who the man was but he had come in a while ago. At least he thought it was a while ago, everything was still pretty fuzzy.

“Erik put a little, red Christmas dress on her.”

Erik? Why was this guy talking about Erik? He was long gone, ran away when Maxwell found out that he was coming to the house when he wasn’t there. He still didn’t know Erik and Justin had sex. That was just something they knew. It wasn’t like Justin was in love with Erik but it was nice to be treated nicely. Erik only came over after Tommy was asleep.

Justin wasn’t supposed to know that Erik was Maxwell’s piece on the side. It wasn’t like Erik wanted to be, he was young and stupid when he got involved with Maxwell. They had both been trapped. But Erik was finally able to get away from Maxwell for good, he had gotten a job. He was finally able to put his nursing degree to good use.

“I hope you like the name Marissa, I think it would kill Erik if you changed it.”

Who the hell was Marissa? And why would he change some woman’s name?

“Well, I’ve got to go to my friend Debbie’s house. I told you about her.” He did? “Debbie and her boyfriend Carl are going to be there, of course. Her son Michael and his boyfriend, Ben. They are also bringing their adopted son Hunter. Mel and Lindsay are going to be there with their children Gus and Jenny Rebecca.” Why did those names seem familiar? “Emmett is bringing his new guy; I don’t know the guy’s name yet. I guess it’s a surprise. Then of course Brian is coming and bringing his son Tommy.”

Through the fog and haze the picture got clearer in his head. Tommy, his Tommy. This man knew his Tommy, it had to be. Michael and his mother, Debbie, the waitress at Liberty Diner. Michael, the one he told he was pregnant.

Justin tried with all his might to open his eyes. But unfortunately that feat was too great and he sank back into oblivion


Ted headed to Debbie’s, he had everyone’s presents in his trunk. Being agnostic himself he just celebrated being with his family of friends. His father died years ago and his mother hadn’t looked at him the same since his overdose. It only got worse after he told her about his meth addition. Her heart had been broken and she had been disappointed in him. He didn’t like that feeling.

Tomorrow they were spending Christmas day with her. When he told her about Marissa, she squealed. It was going to be bad when Mr. Degas woke up, he just knew it.

Once he parked he pulled the bags with the presents out of his trunk.

The house was extremely loud when he entered. Gus and Tommy ran over to him when they saw the present bags.

“You gots something for us in there?” Gus asked.

“You two go on now,” Debbie chided, appearing out of the kitchen. “Presents after dinner.”

“I was just askin,” Gus mumbled.

“I left your presents in the car,” he teased. Walking over to the big, loud-looking tree. He sat the bag down against the wall beside it.

“Hey, stranger, glad you finally made it,” Erik said, his tone a bit biting.

“Sorry, just something I needed to do.”

“Sure,” he said, tone easing.

“Where’s the baby?”

“Both babies are sleeping upstairs. J.R. in her crib and Marissa in a cradle. Don’t worry, I have the baby monitor.

“There’s a cradle here?”

“Yes, Philip made it for Michael when he was born.”

“Who’s Philip?” Michael asked, eyes narrowing at his mother. The whole house seemed to quieten and wait in baited breath to find out about this Philip. Ted knew he had never heard the name before.

“Well, now Vic’s gone I don’t see why it has to be such a secret anymore. Philip was the love of your Uncle Vic’s life. When I found out I was pregnant the only two I told was Philip and Vic. I went to stay with them while I was pregnant. I waited tables at this dive bar. Not making anything. I was so worried where I would put Michael when he was born. Philip being the darling he was, built Michael’s cradle. It was beautiful, you can go see it after the babies wake. I just pulled it out of storage, I didn’t when Gus was born, I thought it would be too hard on Vic.

“What happened to them?” Emmett asked, tears streaming down his face. Em was always a sucker for a love story.

“Oh, it was very Romeo and Juliet or in this case Romeo and Romeo.”

“Romeo and Tybalt,” Ted corrected.

Debbie looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

“Well, it wouldn’t be Romeo and Romeo, they would still be Montagues, right? Or rather the same person just cloned. You would need someone from the Capulet family. The closest to fit would be Juliet’s cousin Tybalt. He’s not a Capulet but he is Lady Capulet’s nephew.  So it would be Romeo and Tybalt…”

He let the subject die when everyone starting looking at him like he had two heads. But he was right.

“Can I fucking finish my story?” Debbie asked. Ted nodded.

Well, like I was saying Vic and Phillip were meant for each other. Vic was nineteen but Philip was my age, seventeen. They ran away together and I followed when I got pregnant. After Michael was born Philip told me he was a carrier and pregnant. At the time it was much scarier than now. He had to go all the way to Albany from New York City to see the specialist. Hell those doctors were bombed more than abortion clinics.

“Anyway, when he was six months along he came to get me at that dive I was working at. Vic was at work and Mikey was with this woman who watched him for me. Philip had a large trench coat on so you couldn’t see the baby bump.

“This creep wouldn’t leave me alone. Philip confronted him, then they started yelling at each other. All the sudden the guy picks up a bar stool and hits Philip in the head with it.

“Once we got to the hospital I didn’t see Philip again. I thought he was going to be okay. I called the restaurant Vic was a dishwasher at and he came right away. I went back and got Michael. We stayed there for the better part of three days trying to see Philip. That was when they told us Philip was brain dead. His parents were pulling the plug. Vic begged them not to, the baby was too small. We were escorted out and banned. We never heard from them again. Vic tried to find out where they were buried but never could. Every year on that day we would drink a drink to Philip and the baby. It was the only way Vic could handle it. He never could talk about Philip or the baby.”

By the end of the story Debbie was quietly crying but Emmett was not as quiet, he was openly squalling. Everyone else seemed to be just as sad to hear this about a man they all loved. He was surprised though to see that Erik was crying: great, big ugly tears.

“Honey,” he said, walking over to him. Erik was about five inches taller than him but he was able to get him lay against him.

“I never knew,” he sobbed into Ted’s shoulder, it was a bit awkward position to maneuver.

“Never knew what?” He was lost. They had just been listening to Debbie’s story.

“They told me my father was raped. That was why he had tried to kill himself when he was pregnant. But it wasn’t true,” he mumbled.

“What are you talking about?”

“My grandparents’ names are Sterling and Maureen Winters.”

Debbie gasped. “How?”

“I’m sorry I really am. I didn’t know about any of you until a few months before I met Ted. I was in an unhealthy relationship. But because it was a man my grandparents kicked me out. That had been almost five years ago. Then almost a year ago, I begged for them to take me back. I had no were else to go, he had stopped paying for my apartment. One day I was looking for a hiding spot for something I didn’t want them to find. I found a hiding space but something was there already. Letters. Tons of them. I read through them all. My father was planning to run away with his childhood love. It said their parents were trying to keep them apart. They always told me he was straight and couldn’t that the memory of having a man touch him like that. But the last letter his boyfriend sent him said to meet him at the bus station at nine at night on the fourteenth of August.”

“That was the night they ran away. Last bus of the night. I kissed them each on the cheek and wished them well.”

New tears sprung from her eyes. She seemed to be looking for something in Erik’s face.

“What the hell is going on?” Michael screeched.

“Hush, Michael,” Ben said quietly, pulling his boyfriend away slightly.

“You’re Vic’s son?” Debbie asked, choking up.

Erik nodded. “I believe so.”

“Hold the fuck up. We just found out about this Philip and now we’re to believe Erik is Vic’s son. I don’t think so. We’re also supposed to believe him being in the family now is some coincidences,’ Brian snapped.

It took a minute but Ted catch on to what Brian was insinuating. Not wanting to believe it, but that little nagging feeling came back full force.

“Erik?” he asked, a tremor in his voice.

“Please, you have to let me explain.”

That was all Ted needed to hear, with his heart breaking into millions pieces, he ran out the door. He ignored the pleas for him to stay. Luckily, he hadn’t locked his car up. He started the car and gunned the gas.


“I think you should leave,” Michael snapped.

“Wait…no,” Debbie cried.

“Ma, he used Ted. He’s probably lying.”

“I’m not lying and I love Ted. When I found out about my fathers, I looked Vic up. But I was too late, I found an obituary for services the next day. It was easy to mix in with everyone, he had so many friends. But then I saw all of you. You all were so lost in your grief, no one noticed me. It was clear you all were his family. I saw Ted, and I was instantly attracted to him.”

“Have to call you on that. No one’s been instantly attracted to Ted,” Brian said, snidely.

“I’m so fucking sick of you putting him down. Ted is a better man on his worst day than you are on your best. He might not look like you but that god for that. The world can only hold one selfish, mean-spirited, horrible person like the Great Brian Fucking Kinney.”

“What’s your problem?” Michael asked, his hands on his hips.

“My problem is that without this son-of-a-bitch in the world. Justin, my best friend wouldn’t be laying in a coma.” Erik was breathing hard after his declaration.

“Justin?” Brian and Michael asked at the same time.

“I’m going to get Marissa, then I’ll be out of everyone’s hair.”

 Brian stepped in front of Erik halting his escape. His anger and confusion was warring with each other.

“What about Justin? Are you saying you know where Tommy’s father is? Have known?”

“Of course I know. Until four days ago he was at Alleghany General. Now he’s in a long-term care facility. He’s been in a coma for five months.”

“Mr. Degas,” Emmett whispered loudly. Hand flying over his month.

“Who the fuck is Mr. Degas?” Brian shouted.

“Marissa’s father,” Emmett answered.

“No, you kept him a secret just to keep the baby,” Debbie said, shaking her head, like she could believe he could do something like that.

“No, I kept quiet to keep him alive. If Max finds him before he wakes up he’ll mysteriously die. I’ve done everything to keep him safe. I switched the rooms so anyone looking for the John Doe found Blake instead. Then, I was able to change it so only hospital staff knew he was a John Doe by giving him a name.”

“What about Marissa?” Mel asked.

“She’s my daughter, I had to get her. I couldn’t let stranger take her, or the chance Max got her.”

“How do you know she’s your daughter?”

“Everything’s videotaped there. But not in the basement. Justin would sneak down there and I would sneak in through the small window near the ceiling. I don’t know for sure I’m her father but I know I have more an of a chance than Max does.

“Ted?” Emmett asked coolly.

“I wasn’t lying, I love Ted. There may be a part of me that thought it was a way to know about my dads. But that wasn’t really it, I really was very attracted to him.”

“Guys?” Lindsay said being their attention to her.

“What?” Several people shouted.

“Where are the boys?”

 

 

Stowaways by SLHR
Author's Notes:

Ted goes to visit a friend.

 

At first, he just drove around with no destination. But soon found himself in front of the facility that Mr. Degas was at. Shutting off his car, he sat and thought. Even if he was miserable on Christmas Eve maybe he could be there for Mr. Degas for more than a few minutes.

 

Mr. Degas wouldn’t think he was too dull or pathetic. Even if he did it wasn’t like he would tell Ted that. No he would lay there and listen. Just as he was about to get out of the car he heard a whimper. Turning around in his seat he looked in the backseat. He saw a small red sneaker on the floorboard. Leaning over more he saw another sneaker, and the little boy attached to it. He was holding a smaller boy in his arms.

 

“Gus? Tommy?” He was shocked to see the little boys with worried expressions on their faces. They didn’t look scared but they didn’t look happy.

 

“You lied!” Gus accused.

 

“What?” Really, what?

 

“You said our presents were in your car, there’s no presents,” Gus pouted.

 

Ted bit back a laugh. “I was joking. Your presents are in the bag at Grandma Deb’s.”

 

“Oh,” Tommy said, looking crestfallen.

 

“I need you call your parents. They need to come get you.”

 

Both boys nodded and climbed up into the backseats. Ted pulled out his phone and considered calling. He really didn’t want to talk to any one of them. He sent a quick message to Lindsay telling her to tell Brian that he had both boys. He gave the address of the facility. It was getting cold in his car and the heat wasn’t the best when the car wasn’t moving. Not wanting to risk the boys’ safety, he decided to take them inside with him.

“Come on boys, we’re going to see a friend of mine.” Can someone be a friend of a coma patient they never met before?

 

“Are they nice?” Gus asked.

 

“Well, he’s sick; so he’s sleeping. One day he might get better though. We wouldn’t want him to spend Christmas Eve alone would we?”

 

“No, I hope he’ll wake up so we can meet him.” Gus said. Tommy was being his usual quiet self. It took him a while to warm up to Ted each time they saw each other.

 

He got out of the car first and let the boys out. Grabbing a hand of each boy, he walked them inside building. The front entrance had a receptionist and large sitting area. Soft Christmas music was being filtered into the lobby.

 

“Mr. Schmidt, back again to see Mr. Degas?” the short red-haired receptionist, Beth asked. She had just been starting her shift when he was there earlier.

 

In the week Mr. Degas had been there he had gotten to know most of the staff. It always felt wrong to leave him there. What would have happened to him if he had no name? He had been lucky that he was found in his apartment. God knows what would happen if he had been found like Mr. Degas was.

 

“I’ve just brought my nephews to see him, is that alright?” He bit his lip, hoping there would be no problem.

 


 

“Strictly speaking children under the age of twelve aren’t allowed after six in the evening. But I can make an exception for such a handsome man as yourself.”

 

Ted inwardly groaned. Why was it that straight women found him attractive? She wasn’t a bad looking woman. But unfortunately for his mother, there was no attraction for the opposite sex from him.

 

“I’ll make sure they don’t make any noise.”

 

“It’s not a problem, Mr. Schmidt. On Mr. Degas ward it would be near impossible to wake them. And if you did, you’d be a miracle worker not a nuisance.”

 

The boys were very quiet as Beth buzzed them in. Each boy held on to his hand like it was a lifeline. He gave them a reassuring smile before heading in the direction of Mr. Degas room.

Right before they stepped in doorway Gus pulled him to a stop.

 

“We don’t have a present for him,” he said, a look of horror on his face.

 

“I told you, he’s sick. You know how Sleeping Beauty was asleep until the prince came and kissed her.” Both boys nodded. Thank God for Em because Lindsay and Mel would never read a fairytale that had that kind of message. “Well Mr. Degas is kind of like her.”

 

“Waiting for prince?” Tommy asked.

 

Ted hesitated before answering. Usually he wouldn’t lie but he didn’t have the heart to tell them that Mr. Degas would probably never wake up. “Yes, he’s waiting for his prince to come.”

 

“You his prince?” Tommy asked.

 

“No, stupid, he’s with Erik,” Gus said

 

“Hey, don’t call your brother stupid. It was a very smart question.” Then he looked at Tommy. “I’m no one’s prince, I’m sorry.”

 

“It okay. You Dopey,” Tommy said with smile.

 

“Dopey?”

 

“Yep. Daddy calls you that.”

 

This time Ted did groan outwardly. Brian and his fucking putdowns. It didn’t matter that they were almost friends at work. No, he still had to show his dominance over people by knocking them down to where he thought they belonged. Fucker.

 

“Okay, let’s go in.”

 

There were four beds to the room. Two were taken and the other two empty. A curtain was pulled around Mr. Degas bed. The only other man in the room was a man that couldn’t be younger than a fifty. When he talked to the nurse a couple of days ago he found out the man had been there since they opened. Twenty-seven years ago.

 

It broke his heart when Shelia, the nurse told him no one ever visited him. It was like he had been forgotten by the world as a whole. Which was one of the reasons he was a little mad at Erik before the lies came out. Erik hadn’t come to see Mr. once Degas since the baby was born. Would that happen to Mr. Degas? Would everyone forget that he lived? Would his daughter grow up and not know about him?

 

“Mr. Degas?” Gus asked, pointing at the older man.

 

“No, that’s Mr. Keller. He has been here a very long time. Maybe we can visit with both of them.”

 

Both boys nodded their heads. Ted walked over to the curtain and pulled it back. Revealing Mr. Degas, sleeping.

 

“PA!” a loud shout sounded through the room.

 

Before Ted knew what was happening Tommy had run to the bed and started to climb. Jumping into action he reached for the boy.

 

“Tommy, you can’t be getting up on the bed. Mr. Degas is sick.”

 

“PA!” the boy screamed when Ted picked him up. He was fighting to get out of Ted’s arms. Suddenly, he felt small teeth bit down on his hand. He dropped the boy back on the bed, and on Mr. Degas. “Pa,” Tommy said again, wrapping his little arms around the man in a coma.

 

Brian and Lindsay headed towards the address Ted supplied to them in a short message.

 

“I’m going to kill him,” Brian muttered.

 

“It wasn’t his fault they snuck into his car. Do you check the backseat every time you get into the car?” she said, trying to play peacemaker.

 

“No, but I do lock my damn door. They could have been killed if he got into a wreck.”

 

“You need to calm down. Both boys are fine. You aren’t mad at Ted. This is how you’re dealing with the news about Justin.”

 

He grunted instead of answering. When they realized the boys were missing everything else stopped. Thankfully, Ted’s message came in not long after the first cop Carl called came. While he was busy putting Gus’ car seat into his jeep along with Tommy’s, Erik took the baby and left. When Brian found Ted he would make sure to find out where Justin was, Ted had to know.

 

Once they pulled up to the building he called Ted.

 

“Hello,” Ted’s sheepish voice said.

 

“We’re here. Where are you?”

 

“Inside. Room 43, tell Beth you’re with me.”

 

Brian scoffed. “Fine.”

 

After getting buzzed in and directed to the room that Ted was, he made his way. Lindsay had opted to stay in the car. Places like this freaked her out. It reminded her too much of the nursing home they placed her beloved grandmother in. Brian didn’t have any beloved grandparents. His father’s parents were dead when he was born and his mothers were tyrants. Grandmother Delahey and Grandfather Delahey, the most horrid people put on God’s green earth. No wonder his mother married the first man to look at her.

 

“I love you,” he heard Tommy say from inside the room.

 

Walking into the room what he found shocked him. Ted was sitting in a chair with Gus on his lap looking at Tommy. Tommy was on the bed of someone Brian couldn’t see, holding on tight. He kept kissing the man’s forehead.

 

“It alright, prince will come,” he said, giving the man another kiss.

 

“What the hell is going on?”   

 

Presents by SLHR
Author's Notes:

Christmas continues

 

 

 

 

His daddy was here now; he would wake Pa up. Give him a kiss just like the prince in the storybook Auntie Em read to him. Holding onto his pa was the best Christmas present. He had asked Santa to bring his pa back but Gus said Santa only gave toys; he was glad Gus was wrong.

 

 

 

Wiggling down, he laid his head on his pa’s chest. He missed him so much. While he loved living with Daddy, nothing was as good as falling asleep with Pa telling a bedtime story.

 

 

 

There were things he couldn’t remember very well. He remembered being scared a lot but not why. Remembered his Pa hurting a lot but not how he got that way.

 

 

 

“He gonna wake’d up soon?” he asked his daddy, who was just looking at them from the chair. Uncle Ted took Gus outside to Aunt Linny. He told him just to go home.

 

 

 

“I don’t know, buddy. We’re going to have to leave soon. The nurse keeps giving me the death glare.”

 

 

 

“NOOO!” He couldn’t leave, if he did his pa would be gone again.

 

 

 

“You don’t want to be out of bed when Santa comes do you?”

 

 

 

He had to think about that. All he really wanted from Santa was his pa, but he had his pa now. But maybe if he was home in bed Santa would wake him up.

 

 

 

“Santa the prince?” he questioned, just to make sure.

 

 

 

“Sure, Santa is the prince.” His father huffed and stood up.

 

 

 

“Let’s go.” He gave his pa one last snuggle and kiss. Then he jumped into his daddy’s arms.

 

 

 

On the way home he thought what it was going to be like to have Santa as another daddy. Cause the prince married Sleeping Beauty and they lived happily ever after in a castle.

 

 

 

But where would his daddy live? In the castle with them? Or back home? He hoped that he lived in the castle with them, and that he got to bring his bed. It was the best bed ever.

 


 

As soon as he put Tommy to bed he called his lawyer. He ran by him what was going on. The man agreed since the staff think that Justin was on his way to waking up that they should keep his identity quiet. Less chance for Maxwell Stevens to get his claws into him. Which meant it was less likely that Justin would die mysteriously.  

 

 

 

He showered and climbed into bed. It had been an exhausting day. It felt wrong to leave Justin but he had to think about Tommy. It was also Christmas Eve; the boy would want to see what Santa brought him in the morning.

 

 

 

“Fuck,” Brian cursed as sat up. He still had to put together two of Tommy’s toys and finish wrapping the others. He had just given Gus’ to Mel and Lindsay, they wanted to put together his bike.

 

 

 

Brian had gotten a bike for both boys. Gus’ bike was black with blue strips. Tommy’s was black with hot pink strips. He groaned when his son had fallen in love with the bike at the store. He told him that maybe he should ask Santa for a green or blue one. Tommy said no, Santa would bring him the pink one he liked.

 

 

 

The boy didn’t even know about Christmas or any of the festivities because his stepfather never let him or his father celebrate. He did tell him that sometimes ‘Sir’s niece and nephews were given presents but he was a bad boy and didn’t get anything. He also shared with Brian how much he wanted to be a good boy so one day he would get a gift.

 

 

 

Brian felt sick when he heard that. Jack and Joan Kinney were the worst parents he knew but they always had a few little gifts under the tiny tree for him and his sister.

 

 

 

After making sure that Tommy was asleep he went down to his storage area in the basement of the building. Carrying the bike box to the lift. He hoped the noise wouldn’t wake Tommy but he was sure as hell not carrying it up the stairs.

 

 

 

Once inside his loft again he got to work putting together the small bike. Putting the training wheels on almost made him want to throw it out the window. Two hours later, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears it was together. He quickly wrapped the rest of the presents. Last was setting up the train around the Christmas tree.  He had seen some kid wake up to one on a TV show when he was little. Every Christmas he would wish that he would have one when he woke up. It never happened, even the one time he asked his mother.

 

 

 

He had no idea if Tommy would want one but it was worth a shot. Gus would like it when he come over anyway.

 

 

 

It was four in the morning by the time he was able to get to sleep.

 

 

 

Something poked him in the face, he swatted at it.

 

 

 

“Daddy, wake up.”

 

 

 

“Why?” he questioned, keeping his eyes closed.

 

 

 

“Santa was here,” Tommy squealed.

 

 

 

“I hope he didn’t drink all my whiskey.”

 

 

 

“No, ‘member, he drinks milk.”

 

 

 

Popping one eye open he looked at his son’s glowing face. “Oh, so we’re out of milk?”

 

 

 

“I don’t know,” he answered worriedly.

 

 

 

“I’m sure we’re good. Let’s go see if Santa brought me a bike.” Brian had put the bike right by the tree, he knew Tommy had already seen it.

 

 

 

“Oh no,” Tommy cried as he ran for the bike.

 

 

 

When Brian walked down the steps and saw Tommy hugging his bike.

 

 

 

“It’s a nice looking bike you have there.”

 

 

 

Tommy nodded his head, letting go of the bike. “Mine?” he asked, making sure.

 

 

 

“Yes, it’s all yours.”

 

 

 

A huge grin broke out over the little boys face. While Tommy was looking over his bike, Brian turned the train on. The boy’s head shot up as he saw the train going around the tree.

 

 

 

“Wow,” Tommy said in awe. “Who?”

 

 

 

“Yours, mine and Gus’ train.”

 

 

 

Little hands clapped together, he was so excited. He spent the rest of the morning opening presents and talking a mile a minute. It was almost nine when the call came in.

 

 

 

“Yeah,” he answered to phone.

 

 

 

“Justin’s awake,” Ted simply said.

 

 

 

“We’re on our way,” Brian said before disconnection.

 

 

 

“Tommy, let’s go get dressed. Pa woke up.”

 

 

 

“Prince Santa. Yay!”

 

 

 

“Oookay.”

 


 

Justin couldn’t believe what was going on. The nurse had just told him he had been in a coma for the last six months. There was also his unwanted guest in his room.

 

 

 

“Now you’re awake what are you going to tell Brian?”

 

 

 

“Ummm…the truth,” he said.

 

 

 

“About what?”

 

 

 

“Everything.”

 

 

 

“Brian doesn’t want you in his life. He’s already pissed that he has that brat in his life.”

 

 

 

“Tommy’s not a brat.” His mouth was really dry; he could use another drink.

 

 

 

“You stuck him with that kid after I told you to leave him alone.”

 

 

 

“I had to, Tommy’s life depended on it.”

 

 

 

“Well, don’t worry I called your husband. He should be here any minute.”

 

 

 

“What? No. I need to get out of here.” He tried to get out of bed but his body wouldn’t work right. It was like his whole body was made out of concrete.

 

 

 

“I told Ted that I would watch you while he went to check on Erik.”

 

 

 

“Erik?”

 

 

 

“Yeah, apparently you’re so much of a slut you cheated on your husband and got pregnant by another man.”

 

 

 

Subconsciously, his hand went to his stomach, even though he knew he had lost the baby long ago. He hissed a bit at how tender his stomach felt. That’s odd.

 

 

 

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

 

 

“Yeah, I do. Hopefully Erik will keep Marissa away from you just like Brian is keeping Tommy away.”

 

 

 

Confusion caused him to stop trying to get his body to respond the way he wanted. “Who’s Marissa?”

 

 

 

“You don’t even know your own daughter?”

 

 

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

 

 

“The baby you were pregnant with.”

 

 

 

“No, I lost the baby.”

 

 

 

“Nope, you carried that thing until a week ago.”

 

 

 

“My baby is alive?”

 

 

 

Before Michael could say anything else the door flew open. Any lingering hope that Brian would come with Tommy was stripped from him.

 

 

 

“Well, if it isn’t my runaway husband.”

 


 

“Pa and me,” Tommy sang to himself. Brian smiled at the joy in his son’s eyes. After six months he was going to be able to talk to his pa.

 

 

 

“Are you excited, buddy?”

 

 

 

“Yep.” 

 

 

 

Tommy had already unhooked himself when Brian parked the car. He grabbed his present that he made for him. They didn’t really spare the woman in the lobby a glance as she buzzed them in.

 

 

 

He followed Tommy who was running to the room they had been to last night. Smiling at his son’s enthusiasm. Once they got to the room Tommy busted in, running to the bed behind the curtain.

 

 

 

“Pa, I here.” But as he pulled the curtain back they both saw it was empty and the bed made. Just at that time the nurse came to check on the other man in the room.

 

 

 

“Where’s Justin?”

 

 

 

“Oh, it is great news. He woke up and his husband came and got him. Now he’ll be spending Christmas with his family. His doctor was a little leery on letting him go without any tests but his husband promised to bring him back tomorrow. So the doctor just told them that Justin would need extensive physical therapy after the tests. It’s weird calling him by his real name after so long calling him Mr. Degas.

 

 

 

“Where Pa?” Tommy asked, his little lip coming out as tears started to run down his face.

 

 

 

Worst Christmas ever.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dixie by SLHR

 

 

 

 

“Hey, kid, you okay?” a gravelly voice asked. There was a string of horrible coughing that followed.

Looking up he could barely make out the shape of a man. The figure was shaking hard along with still having coughing fits.

“What happened?” he choked out. He was spitting up water that he didn’t know how it got into his lungs.

“Somebody threw you into the Alleghany.”

That would explain why he couldn’t stop shivering. There was no question who that someone was. Maxwell. His husband had thrown him into the river, it wasn’t like that really surprised him. It had surprised him that he hadn’t succeeded in killing him. Why hadn’t he finished the job before throwing him in? His body hurt from the hits it had taken before being knocked out.  

“Come on kid, stay with me,” he heard the man say. He tried to focus on the voice but he couldn’t, finally he let his eyes close.

When he awoke he was noticed he was in hospital room. Bright, blinding lights that he couldn’t even open his eyes very much. Great.

The second time he woke up there was a whole lot less pain. Good drugs were filling his veins that time. The room didn’t look as harsh as the first one. This was darker because of dimmed lights, calming almost.

“Oh, good you’re awake,” a gentle, female voice said. He looked over to the door and saw a small, older woman with short, grey hair. Her face was friendly and sweet.

“Where am I?” he asked, his voice raspy.

“Honey, you’re in Dixie.”

He blinked twice at her. Surely she couldn’t be serious. Dixie?

“What?”

“Dixie, New York. We’re right outside of Olean, almost no one’s heard of us.” She laughed lightly.

“I need to talk to my son,” he whispered. His memory of the night before flooding back to him. Michael giving him up to Maxwell.

Fear about him doing something to Tommy filled him. If he could so easily hand him off to Maxwell just to have Brian to himself. What would he do to a poor little boy? As soon as he got out of there he would have to come up with a plan. Maybe before he got out.

“Oh, dear. Honey, you were fished out of the river by a good Samaritan. You’re not saying your son was with you, are you?”

“No, he’s with his father.”

“What? A newborn should be with its birthparent.”

“What? No, he’s four and a half.”

“You’ve recently had a C-Section. Where is your baby?” Her eyes clear and searching.

It had been the truth then. He had convinced himself that Michael was lying just to hurt him. But there really was a baby out there. One that he hadn’t seen, one that he hadn’t felt.

That was when he told the nurse his past. She looked pained when he told her about the coma and not knowing about the baby until last night. When he told her about his husband she agreed he couldn’t go back just yet without a plan. It was then she came up with a great idea.


Miss Irma brought him her phone. They couldn’t find a personal number for Brian but they were able to get his work number.

“Go on, honey.”

Taking a deep breath, he punched in the number for Kinnetik.

“Kinnetik Advertising, this is Ariel. How may I be of service to you today?” a perky voice said rapidly.

He had already been in the hospital two days and was slowly gaining use of his limbs again. He didn’t want to call until he was able to move better. His arms were easier to use than his legs. Miss Erma said he should have more muscle atrophy, that must have meant someone worked hard to keep his muscles strong.

“Hello, I uh… I was wondering if Brian Kinney is in today.”

“I’m sorry, Mr. Kinney is working outside of the office today. May I take a message for you?” Her cheery tone never wavered.

“Is it possible for me to get his cell number?” he asked hesitantly.

“I’m sorry, sir. I can’t give out that information. But I can pass on any messages you have for him.”

“Okay, just tell him that Justin called about Tommy. Thanks.”

“Wait!” she yelled before he could disconnect. “Justin? Tommy’s birthfather, that Justin?” her voice now mixed between panic and delight.

“Umm… Yes?” he answered as a question.

“Hold on, don’t you dare go anywhere.” He then heard a scuffling noise and the yell of ‘Cynthia’.

“Justin?” a new female voice asked.

“Yes.”

“Can you tell me exactly where you are? Are you safe?”

“Yes.” He was covered in bruises and still recovering from hypothermia. Relaying where he was, she told him again not to go anywhere. She asked for the number but he explained it wasn’t his phone. She then got the number to the hospital room he was in. He told her he would be released the next day and she said somebody would be there waiting for him. After saying that wasn’t necessary she said it was.


For two days Tommy had been inconsolable. He begged and pleaded with Brian to bring his pa home. It was almost impossible to tell a four-your-old that no matter how much they both want his pa to come back he was missing.

His phone rang just as he put Tommy down for his nap. After coming back from the long-care facility Tommy refused to play with any of his new toys. He refused to do anything but sit and cry. For two whole days it had been like that.

“Kinney,” he answered gruffly, it had been two days since he had gotten any sleep.

“Brian, Justin just called here.”

It took a minute for the words to filter through his sleep-deprived mind. Justin. Justin had called. She knew where Justin was.

“Where is he?” he growled out.

“Dixie, New York. In the town hospital.”

That was all he needed to hear. Quickly he packed a bag. He debated dropping Tommy off at Lindsay’s but he just needed to get Justin. There was no way the blonde was going to slip between his fingers again. Tommy deserved to have his pa, and Brian would get him if he had to die trying.

Carrying a sleeping Tommy down to the car wasn’t easy. The boy kept crying out and falling back asleep. After buckling him up in his car seat they were off.

He got there in record time, he was sure. Tommy was just waking up when they entered the teeny, tiny town of Dixie. The hospital was really easy to find. Really it was just the hospital, a gas station and a small general store. It was like he went back in time. But none of that mattered. What did matter was getting that blonde little twink in his car and his son happy again.

“Wake up, Buddy boy. We have to go get something.”

“Wanna go home, Daddy,” Tommy whimpered when he realized they were in the car.

“We will, buddy. We just have to get something here first.” He hoped.

With a little more wrangling he got Tommy out of the car seat. When he walked into Dixie Medical he expected it to be like every other hospital he had been to with bright lights and sterile rooms. What he was greeted with was sixties classics blasting out of a small radio on the front desk. A woman nearing death, if her looks were any judge, sweeping the floor bopping her head with the music. Looking around he noticed she was the only one in the lobby besides himself.

“Excuse me?” he said loudly. Tommy flinched in his arms and he silently cursed himself.

The woman looked up with a surprised face. It was clear she had been expecting a visitor-free day. Her hair was dyed a horrendous color orange, and instead of scrubs she was wearing an ugly white dress with daisies on it.

“Yes, may I help you?”

“My friend called me today about being admitted here.”

Her eyes narrowed but then she looked at Tommy. “What would this friend’s name be?”

“Justin Taylor.” He didn’t mention the asshole’s last name, thought it was best to leave it off.

“And who would you be?”

“Brian Kinney. This is Tommy.” Tommy buried his face in Brian’s shirt.

“It’s okay, Eulalie. This is the boy I was waiting on.” A woman appeared just then, she was the same age as the orange-haired woman but much more maternally looking.

“If you’re sure, sister dear.”

What the hell kind of place was this? He saw no doctors. Only these two old as dirt women, who didn’t look like they had any business being around the sick.

“Come on dears, this way. Don’t you mind Eulalie; she’s never been right. Not since Lincoln was shot.”

“I heard that your old crow, I’m two years younger than you.” It made Brian smirk on his walk through the double doors.

Now the place resembled a hospital at least a little. He could see two people, one man and one woman, that were clearly doctors. And there were a few nurses bouncing from room to room.

“This way, this way. He’ll be excited to see this young one. Where is the other one though? He unfortunately didn’t know what happened to her.”

“She’s safe.” He didn’t want to say that in the past two days Erik had disappeared and Ted couldn’t even find him. The baby was still with Erik so at least he did seem to love the baby and wouldn’t hurt her

“Good, that’s real good.”

She led them to the furthest room down the hall, there was soft talking coming from it.

“I don’t care, I want out of here,” a voice he hadn’t heard in over five years said.

Tommy struggled to get out of his arms. “PA!” The boy seemed to recognize his father’s voice.

Brian rushed in behind the little boy, who sprinted into the hospital room. Inside Tommy was already scaling the bed to get to a stunned looking Justin. There was a doctor that was standing at the end of the bed.

“Who are you?” the doctor asked bristly.

“I’m Brian Kinney, that is my son Tommy.”

“Pa, you here. I missed you. You left. I don’t like that.”

“Tommy,” Justin said breathlessly as he hugged Tommy to him. Brian heard a faint grunt from Justin but he didn’t let go of the boy.

“You stupid little twat,” Brian said, feeling like a weight was lifted off his chest.

“I can’t believe you’re here,” Justin said looking at Brian.

“Why wouldn’t I be? It’s not like I left a four-year old on your doorstep and ran off.” He knew he was being cruel but he couldn’t help it.

“I didn’t want to but I had to save Tommy. Max wouldn’t let me go. You had to have seen the bruises on Tommy.”

“Why didn’t you come to me when you got pregnant? He was four before I knew he existed.”

“I tired, I came to Liberty Avenue when I found out I was pregnant. But he told me that you wouldn’t want my brat and it probably wasn’t yours anyway. I was young and stupid but I swear you were the only possible father.”

“Who said?”

“Michael.”

 

 

Home by SLHR

 

 

 

 

Justin was stunned to say the least. When he called Brian it was just to warn him about Michael being near Tommy. He really didn’t expect Brian and Tommy to come and get him. But that was what was happening. He could hear Brian arguing with his doctor. Hell, he barely knew the man and he seemed to be taking over everything in the few minutes he had been there. It didn’t bother Justin; Maxwell was controlling but it didn’t feel this way. Brian seemed to be doing this to help not hurt. They were out in the hallway, apparently so Brian could raise his voice and demand things.

Inside the room, Tommy was glued to his still tender side. The boy first told him how upset he was when Justin didn’t come to see him. How much it hurt that he didn’t come with him to his daddy’s house. He didn’t regret getting Tommy out of there, but he did regret not running with him. If he were a stronger person, he would have run far away as possible with Tommy. Maybe Alaska. Because now he didn’t even know where his baby was, and had no claim to Tommy anymore.

“We have a train,” Tommy said for the tenth time in just as many minutes. He gave Justin a run through of everything he got for Christmas. Justin wished he could have seen him open his presents on Christmas morning. His first Christmas where he was treated well.

“Did you get your daddy anything?” he asked softly, his voice still a little rough.

“Uh huh. I draw’d him a picture of me and him. He said it was his favorite.”

“It was, buddy,” a cool voice said from the doorway.

After five years the man still sent a delicious shiver down Justin’s spine. It had only been one night but it was one night that decided his future.

“Daddy, can we take Pa home now?” Tommy asked, sitting up a little more.

“Yes, sir. The doctor is filling out the discharge papers night right now.” The man seemed just a little too smug for Justin’s taste at that moment.

“What about Maxwell?” His husband had dumped his unconscious body in the Alleghany River. The man wanted him dead so much that he just dumped him like garbage.

“I have a friend in the police department. He’s going to make a report. Maxwell won’t get his hands on you again.”

The man walked back out of the room signaling the end to the conversation. Well, that was enlightening. Just when he thought he was done with controlling men. But like earlier, it didn’t bother him as much as when Maxwell did it. Mostly because Brian didn’t scare him like Maxwell did, that’s not saying that Brian didn’t scare him. He did, there was something very dangerous about the tall, brunet man.

Within two hours of finding Justin and getting him out of the hospital they were on their way home. Brian chose not to go to a hotel for the night. He wanted to be home, he felt safe there and wanted Justin and Tommy there.

The drive so far had been suspiciously quiet. At first he thought that was because Tommy had fallen asleep. That didn’t happen though because Tommy had insisted that Justin ride in the back with him. When they left the hospital Tommy talked quietly to Justin but soon it tapered off to silence. Every time Brian looked back into the backseat he saw the happy smile on Tommy’s face, clutching to Justin’s hand.

An hour outside Pittsburgh they were stuck in a late night traffic jam. Brian assumed there was a wreak further up. Cars were at a complete stop all around him.

“Fuck,” he cursed.

“What do you think is wrong?” Justin asked.

“Do I look like a traffic reporter?” he snapped. Taking a deep breath, he calmed himself. It wasn’t Justin’s fault he chose to drive straight home and not to a hotel. It wasn’t his fault that it seemed like it had been days since he last slept. So close to New Year’s Eve he should have expected a lot of people on the road.

“It’s absoltuty diebobal.”

Brian smiled at his son’s almost complete gibberish. It would be to anyone else, he on the other hand along with his family knew about Tommy’s favorite phrase.

“What did he just say?” Justin asked.

“It’s absolutely diabolical.”

“What? Where did he learn that?” Justin asked, a chuckle escaping him.

“As a joke I got my friend Emmett a word of the day calendar. I thought it would be funny, all he usually says is some variation of ‘fabulous’. Well, anyway he started using to the words to get back at me and be a pain in my ass. One time that word was diabolical. He latched on to that like it was going out of style. Mik-“he stopped mid-sentence. Not wanting to talk about his supposed best-friend until he could talk to him face to face. “Someone put ‘absolutely’ in front and that was that.

“That has to be the cutest thing I’ve ever heard,” Justin said.

Just as Brian was going to say something else the cars in front of him started moving. The car grew silent again. One thought kept assaulting him. Was Justin telling the truth about Michael? Did Justin really come to tell him about Tommy when he was pregnant? What would have happened if he had known? Tommy wouldn’t have been a stranger to him until seven months ago, that’s for sure.

“I’ll be out of your hair as soon as possible,” Justin said out of nowhere.

“You can’t take Tommy,” he snapped. Tommy whimpered in the backseat.

“Shh…I know that, I gave him up but that doesn’t mean I don’t love him. As soon as I figure out what to do about Maxwell I would like to have visitation, if you’ll allow it.”

“Don’t worry about that man. Since your kidnapping took place in Pittsburgh, that’s where you’ll report the crime.

Carl met them at the police station. Justin told them everything. About the abuse of him and Tommy. Then about Maxwell beating him and throwing him in the river. Since he was taken from Pittsburgh they held lead over the case. Funnily, enough it seemed dear ol’ Maxwell had lost three spouses to suspicious deaths. His first wife died when she was pregnant- suicide. Second wife- car accident. Third spouse was a husband- he fell down some stairs when he was six months pregnant. Brian started getting a sneaky suspicion that Maxwell didn’t want children. Justin had run away just in time though.

In the early morning hours, they finally pulled up to the loft. He had been considering expanding it, not it would look like he’d have to do it. He owned the building, the loft under his was vacant. Maybe he’d put Justin down there so Tommy would be happy.

“It’s time for all of us to get some sleep,” Brian said, yawning.

“Pa, sleep in my bed.”

Justin smiled down at Tommy. He had missed his son terribly after saving him from Maxwell. But there was still an emptiness inside of him.

“I need to talk to your daddy for a minute.” Tommy nodded and told him he would get the bed ready, whatever that meant from a four-year old.

“Where’s my daughter?”

Brian sighed. “She’s with Erik.”

“Erik? My Erik?”

“Well until a few days ago everyone thought of him as Ted’s Erik,” Brian snapped.

“I didn’t mean it that way. Just…never mind. When can I see her?”

“I guess when we find Erik, he ran off when we found out who he was.”

“Who is he?”

“Supposedly, Mikey’s cousin.”

“Wow, good for Erik,” Justin said with a small smile.

“Why?”

“The whole time I’ve known him he wanted a real family. Now he has Michael and his mother, that’s great.”

“Great,” Brian muttered to himself.

“I’ll get ahold of Erik tomorrow,” Justin said.

“Ted has been unsuccessful in finding him.”

“Oh, I’m sure, but I know where Erik will go if he’s upset.”

“Where?”

“His best friend’s place.”

“I didn’t know he had a best friend.”

“Doesn’t everyone?”

“Do you?”

“I used to before my father gave me to Maxwell. She was smart, funny and protective. I haven’t seen her in a long while. I miss her.”

“Maybe you could invite her over, I’m sure she’d like to meet Tommy and Marissa when we find her.”

“Marissa? That’s her name? It’s beautiful.”

“Is she really Erik’s?”

“She could be, but she could be Maxwell’s too.”

“Well after finding out what we did at the police station let’s hope not.”

The sound of keys in the door woke him up. For the past few days not only had he been missing Erik but he had also been feeling sick. He hoped it wasn’t catching because he would have to stay home. Work was all he really had now that Erik had run off.

“Ted?” a familiar voice called out. It was Erik.

The door to the bedroom opened and Erik stepped in, Marissa strapped to his chest.

“You’re back,” he said happily. He had been gone for four days. Justin had been back for one, he was supposed to be looking for the man later today.

“I had to come back, a friend at the facility told me Justin woke up. I can’t keep her from him, it isn’t right.”

“Where have you been?”

“My friend, Jules. He has been my friend for years. I just needed to get my head on straight. This is going to be my last night with her, isn’t it?”

“I’m sorry, but I think so. If you are her father Justin won’t keep her from you.”

“She’s not mine.” Tears were brimming Erik’s eyes.

“Why do you say that?”

“You know the birthmark that’s on her back, the strawberry one?”

“Yes.”

“Maxwell has the same one.”

“That doesn’t mean anything,” he lied.

“It’s okay, I’ve make peace with it. I’m just not meant to be a father, I guess.”

“You knew the day we brought her home?” It wasn’t really a question.

“Yeah.”

“But at Deb’s you said she might be yours. Why?”

“Denial. I just couldn’t bring it to myself to think of her as not mine. I had been waiting for her for months. Getting everything ready, then that damn birthmark. I wanted her to be mine so much. I’ve always wanted children. Why couldn’t this one thing go my way?” He seemed to fold into himself.  

Ted wrapped his arms around Erik’s waist from the back. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Ted. Never doubt that.” He leaned down and kissed the top of Marissa’s head, as she slept in the chest carrier.

Brian had just gotten a call from Ted. Erik was back and they were bringing Marissa over. This was what he had promised Justin would happen. Now he needed to put Justin and Marissa in the downstairs loft. There was no way he’d be able to get used to a crying baby again, once was enough with Gus.

He knew Tommy would want to have his own bed down there. When they woke up after getting home the day prior they started getting the loft downstairs ready for them. Justin had protested but stopped when he realized he really did need the protection of Brian’s building.

Already they had a bed, kitchen supplies and living room seating down there. Brian had it furnished for the last tenant. So really all that needed to be moved in was the kids’ stuff. While Brian had full custody of Tommy, he didn’t want to be a dick about it. He understood why Justin did what he did, he just didn’t have to like it.

Then there was the whole situation with Mikey. He wasn’t sure what he was going to do about it. He couldn’t really do anything until he talked to him. He had been his best friend for over fifteen years. If you couldn’t trust your best friend who could you trust?

Michael was going to meet him at Woody’s later. Only Ted, Cynthia and the receptionist at work knew he had Justin back. Brian needed to see Michael’s face when he told him about what Justin had said. He would be able to see the truth then. They were not only talking about Michael knowing about Tommy and not telling him then sending Justin away. But also about telling Maxwell where Justin was. Justin could have been killed, that had been Maxwell’s plan.

“I think I know why Max was trying to kill me, also why all of his previous spouses died while pregnant,” Justin said, bringing Brian out of his thoughts.

“Why?” Brian asked.

“Something my dad said before I married Max. He said that it didn’t even matter if I stayed married to him after we had a child together. He said that in Maxwell’s father’s Will that ‘all’ legitimate children by his two children would get a part of his company. Maxwell’s sister’s stake is split up between her and her three kids, which makes Max have the majority. I think he’s trying to keep it that way. If he doesn’t have any children, then he doesn’t have to share his company.”

“That doesn’t make sense. Why not just have illegitimate children?”

“I don’t think he really likes children. Sure he had toys and stuff for his sister’s kids but I don’t remember him ever even talking to them unless it was to make Tommy cry.”

“I fucking hate that guy. Why get married in the first place?”

“I think that’s just good business. People want to trust a family man. Less likely to steal all your money and disappear into some other country.”

“Please, most married men are just waiting for their chance to escape.”

That saddened Justin to hear, but proved that there would be no happily ever after with him and Brian. He decided to change the subject. “When are Ted and Erik going to be here? I can’t wait to see her.”

“I know. Soon, I think. Hey, that doesn’t make sense though. Why try and kill you if the baby was already born?”

“Oh, that’s because of what my dad did.”

“What does that mean?”

“My dad put in the pre-nup that if I ever gave birth to a child by Maxwell that I would get a million dollars if we ever divorced.”

“Really?”

“Yep.”

“Who knew the idiot had it in him.”

“Oh, it wasn’t for me. Not really. He just didn’t want to support me again if the marriage didn’t work out. And since Maxwell planned to kill any pregnant spouse, he thought he didn’t have to worry about it.” Justin’s face went completely pale then.

“What?”

“I was pregnant before. I lost the baby soon after telling him I was pregnant. He beat me until I miscarried, then he acted like it was my fault. It wasn’t though, it was him. He made me believe that it was my fault the baby died.”

Brian had never been good at feelings, he was stunned. Not knowing what to do, he did nothing. Thankfully, he was saved by Tommy who had heard his father’s cries and ran over.

“It’s okay, Pa. I draw’d a picture of you too.”

Justin laughed and pulled Tommy onto his lap, wiping away his tears. “You did, did you? And where is this masterpiece?”

“Up there,” he said pointing to Brian’s bedroom.

“Go on and bring it down here so I can see it.”

“I can’t bring you the wall silly.”

That couldn’t mean what Brian thought it did. He took off up the steps and sure enough. Right on the wall over his bed was a blue crayon scene with Justin, Brian and Tommy. All little stick figures but he guessed them by their height. He had to bite down the scream he was feeling.

“I’m going to the office for a few hours,” he said, he needed to get out of there before ghosts of Jack Kinney resurfaced.

 

Ted Talks by SLHR

 

 

 

 

“Is Daddy mad at me?” Tommy asked seconds after Brian practically flew out the door.

“No, he just needs to do some work. But maybe we shouldn’t draw on the walls anymore. Let’s go see if we can get the crayon off the wall.”

“But I draw’d it for you.”

“I know, but we can’t draw on walls. That’s what we have paper for.”

“Okay,” Tommy agreed, begrudgingly.

Maxwell didn’t allow Tommy to have any crayons at the house. That meant it took a lot of work and time for Justin to figure out how to get the crayon marks off the wall. Just as they finished he heard the intercom buzz. For a terrifying minute he thought it was Maxwell, until he remembered Erik was bringing his daughter to him.

“Who’s there?” he squeaked into the intercom, still nervous it was Maxwell or one of his cronies.

“Ted Schmidt.”

Justin remembered Brian saying that his friend Ted was dating Erik now. So he buzzed them in. He was so nervous to meet his daughter. She was still a newborn but he never even felt her move while pregnant. He had none of the memories he had when he was pregnant with Tommy. She was a stranger to him. As he was to her, she wasn’t used to his voice at all. He hadn’t been awake for any of that. He worried that he wouldn’t have the connection to her like he did Tommy.

Knock. Knock.

Startled he looked at the door with wide eyes. Could he do this? On the other side of the door was his daughter.

“Someone’s here,” Tommy said, jumping up and down.

Justin slid open the door to reveal an older man holding a baby.

“Ted?” he asked.

“Uncle Ted!” Tommy yelled.

The man shifted nervously. “Can I come in?” he asked.

“Of course,” he said, before stepping out of the way. Justin looked out into the hallway after Ted passed him for Erik. “Where’s Erik?”

Ted sighed. “He couldn’t hand her over. He knows she belongs with you though, so he gave her to me to bring. It’s tearing him up.”

“I won’t keep her from him. We can have a paternity test done and everything will be fine.”

“Erik doesn’t think she is his,” Ted said, his voice rough.

“Why?”

“She has a strawberry birthmark on her back. Erik said it was identical to your husband’s.”

Justin knew the birthmark Ted was talking about. It was his worst nightmare coming true. If Erik was her father, they would co-parent and she would have a good life. But if Maxwell was her father there were problems. First, he was a suspected murderer. Second, he already tried to kill him. Lastly, the thing that scared him the most. What if Maxwell didn’t go to jail? What if he got custody of their daughter? If that happened, Justin knew without a doubt some accident would happen to her. She wouldn’t survive until adulthood; Maxwell would make sure of it.

“Can I told her?” he asked Ted.

“She’s your daughter. Oh, by the way Erik is letting Marissa’s caseworker know that you’re taking over her care.”

“Caseworker?”

“Yes, when you were in your coma the state took custody of Marissa. You’ll have to meet with her caseworker but there shouldn’t be any problem.” Ted handed the baby over to Justin.

Justin decided to not worry about the caseworker at the moment. Instead he just looked at his daughter in awe. She was the most beautiful little girl he had even seen. Ted had her in a pink sleeper with red hearts. She was asleep with her tiny fists next to her cheeks. It had been so long since he held a baby as small as her. In fact, he didn’t think even when Tommy was born he was as small as her. Tommy had Brian’s height and was a chubby little thing when he was born. He now looked like a Brian clone, except for his lighter complexion and blue eyes. She on the other hand looked nothing like her sperm donor, thank God.

“I’ll just go get the rest of her stuff. Erik and I made sure she had everything she needed.” With that Ted left the loft, most likely having left the stuff in the car.

“Why you holding ‘Rissa?”

“She’s my daughter. Do you know what that means?”

Tommy shook his head. They tried to explain it to him yesterday but they weren’t that successful.

“That means she’s your sister. You know like Gus is your brother, she is your sister.”

“Is she gonna live with Gus?”

“No, she’ll live with me in the downstairs loft.” Brian had told Justin he bought the building about six months ago because the prior owner never kept anything fixed. The front door’s lock almost never worked. Since then Brian’s building was the safest in Pittsburgh.  

“What about me?”

“You’ll get to come downstairs and visit anytime you want. Daddy said so, remember?”

“Oh yeah, I forgot.”

That seemed to pacify Tommy’s curiosity. He wandered over to where his toys were and started playing. Ted came back through the door with two big suitcases and a diaper bag. His face was a little pale.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, just not feeling too great at the moment. I have two more trips to make.” Justin wanted to volunteer to go get the rest but Brian made him promise not to leave unless it was an emergency. They didn’t know if Maxwell’s friends would be after him or not.

Finally, after the two more trips Ted seemed done. There was a car seat, and a bag of odds and ends. Just as it looked like Ted was going to leave, he almost fell headfirst into the couch before catching himself.

“Are you okay?” Justin asked, worriedly.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine. I just got really lightheaded for a minute there. I’ll be okay.”

“Are you sure? Can I call someone for you?”

The man’s face paled some more, making Justin very worried. “Yeah.” He fumbled in his pocket, pulling out a small silver phone. “Emmett.” Ted handed him the phone before sitting on the couch and closing his eyes.

Justin laid Marissa down in her car carrier. Then he searched Ted’s contacts looking for the name Emmett. He almost stopped on Brian and called but that’s not who Ted asked for.

Two rings in, the call was answered.

“Teddy, you will not believe who I just saw.”

“I’m sorry, this is Justin. Ted’s not feeling well, and I don’t think he can drive himself home.”

“Well, who is this? You sound absolutely scrumptious. Wait, somethings wrong with Teddy?”

“Justin. Yes. We’re over here at Brian’s loft. Can you come over?”

“Sure, baby. I’ll be over there lickity-split.”

“Thanks.”

After getting off the phone with the loud man he looked back at Ted. He still had his eyes closed, head laying back on the back of the couch.

“He’s on his way.”

“Thank you,” Ted said, still with his eyes closed.

“Why didn’t you want me to call Erik? I thought you two were a couple.”

“I don’t want to worry him. He’s already going through so much; he doesn’t need me to add to things.”

“How long have you been feeling this way?”

“The dizziness is new. I’ve been feeling off for a while.”

“Why don’t you go to the doctor?” He leaned down and picked Marissa back up when she started fussing.

“I’m scared what he’ll say.”

“What do you mean?”

“Two years ago, I wasn’t in a good place. I’m a meth addict. I’m in recovery, I haven’t touched any in over a year. But I’ve done a lot of damage to my body. I just don’t want to know how much.” He opened his eyes and looked at Justin.

“But if it’s bad you’ll need help. Or maybe it’ll be something easily fixed.”

“My luck has never been good. It’ll be something fatal, probably.”

“Don’t say that.”

The buzzer went off, signaling his friend Emmett was there. After making sure it was the man, he buzzed him in. They weren’t there for more than a moment before Emmett rushed Ted out, telling him he was taking him straight to the hospital.

Finally, he was alone with his children. Tommy was watching some cartoon on Brian’s huge TV. Marissa was sleeping peacefully in her car carrier.

He wrote a note to Brian telling him that that he was taking the kids to his loft. Slinging the diaper bag over his shoulder, he picked up the car carrier.

“Come on Tommy, turn the TV off. It’s time to go downstairs to my loft.” Just saying it was ‘his loft’ felt empowering.

“Yay, sleepover.”

“Just until your dad comes home. I’m sure he’ll want you to come back after he gets in.”

“Okay.”


The music and lights always made him feel alive. It had been a few weeks since he was last at Babylon. Lindsay had taken Tommy for the weekend. He had partied like he hadn’t in a long time. Tonight was going to be just like that night. He knew Justin was going to take care of Tommy. He had everything he needed in his loft. They had also prepared it for Marissa.

Something about Justin being there made it possible for him to relax. He knew Justin wouldn’t leave the building, maybe because he had Rolf, the bottom floor tenant, lock the front door deadbolt. Without a key Justin couldn’t open it. Anyway, it would be good for him to be alone with the children. At least Brian hoped so.

“Brian, what are you doing here? I thought we were meeting at Woody’s.” Michael said, appearing out of nowhere.

Damn, he had completely forgotten about meeting Michael at Woody’s. He really didn’t feel like having this conversation yet. But he really needed to know what was going on in Michael’s head. And if Michael had really done all the things Justin said he did. Grabbing Michael’s hand, he pulled him outside. It was cold, and the wind was biting into his skin.

“What the hell, Brian?”

“I’m going to ask you a question and don’t you dare lie. Did Justin tell you he was pregnant with Tommy?”

“W-What?” Michael sputtered.

“Did Justin come to Liberty Avenue five years ago and find you? Did he confess he was pregnant? Then did you call him a whore and tell him to get lost? Did you know all that and still keep your mouth shut?”

“No. I never saw him after he followed you to Woody’s. I tried to get you to let him down easy. Then after you left, I took him to the diner. I haven’t seen him since then.” If Brian was a normal person, he might have believed Mikey. But he wasn’t, he knew the man better than he knew anyone. Michael was lying through his fucking teeth.

“Why did you tell Justin’s abusive, scumbag husband where he was?”

“I didn’t.”

Snow started to fall down around them. Brian couldn’t feel the cold anymore, just red-hot rage. “How did he find out Justin was in that place then? No one knew where he was, except for Erik until he told all of us. Soon after that Justin was taken out of there by the fuckwad. Do you know what he did to him then? DO YOU?”

“Why are you screaming at me? I didn’t do anything.” Michael was curling into himself. Brian wasn’t done with him yet.

“The fucker beat Justin then threw him in the fucking river. If some bystander didn’t see and save him he would be dead. Tommy would have never seen him again. Marissa would never get to know him. All of that over what? Jealously?”

“Brian, please…”

“NO! GO AWAY!” He thought he could deal with Michael at the moment but he couldn’t. The need the pummel Michael was riding him hard. But he was not Jack Kinney. He wasn’t going to smash Michael’s face in, no matter what he had done.

Michael seemed to understand it wasn’t the time to push Brian. He sputtered some more before he turned tail and left. Brian was so worked up he needed to relieve it. There was only one way that he knew for sure.

He headed to Woody’s, he would find a trick there.

“Well, if it isn’t Mr. Kinney,” Emmett said, as Brian walked into the bar.

“Not in the mood,” he snapped.

“I thought you were always in the mood,” Emmett guffawed.

“I am for what I came for, and it wasn’t conversation.”

“I tried to take Teddy to the doctor today but he refused. I just dropped him off at home with Erik.”

Brian tuned Emmett out after that. Then he made eyes with a tall, dark-skinned stud with a shaved head. He gestured to the bathroom with a nod. The stud headed back there. Finally, something was goin.g right.

 

End Notes:

Next chapter will be a few weeks later.

A Fally by SLHR

 

 

 

 

“When are you coming back?” Justin asked Brian as he packed.

“I really don’t know. Hopefully, it’ll only be a few days. That’s the joy of being the boss, fixing everyone else’s fuckups.”

“Bad word,” Tommy huffed from the couch.

“What the fuck? When did you become the profanity police?” Brian asked Tommy. Tommy looked confused. “The cussing police,” Brian clarified.

“Pa said only dull minds cuss.”

“He did, did he?”

Justin ducked his head, he hadn’t meant for it to sound like that. He was just trying to stop his son from cursing like a sailor. All he had done was repeated something his mother had always told him. He could see now that was a mistake.

“Sorry,” he said quietly.

“Whatever.”

“Be nice to Pa,” Tommy said, jumping off the couch.

“You be nice to Pa, I don’t have to be,” Brian said. Justin could see the smile threatening to come out though.

Marissa cooed in Justin’s arms making him look back down at her. This was going to be the first time he would have both kids over night for more than one night. Two weeks ago, Brian stayed out after Tommy had drawn on his wall. After that, Brian spent the whole next day making it up to the boy.

Now that Maxwell was in jail awaiting arraignment, Justin felt safer. He had pepper spray that got from Erik. Ted and Erik had come over almost every day. Erik seemed to be adjusting to everything that had happened. Ted seemed to be okay with Justin and Erik hanging out, but Justin got the feeling Brian wasn’t. It might have made Justin think something could happen between them again, except for the fact that Brian had just regained his title of Stud of Liberty Avenue. Not that Justin had heard first hand. He hadn’t been on Liberty Avenue since coming back, it was when Justin had Tommy for a few hours and Brian disappeared. He didn’t think it was because he was hanging out with friends. Brian said that he had been ignoring Michael but he was still hanging around him.

Brian sat his luggage by the door before picking up Tommy. “Are you going to take care of the home front for the old man?”

“Yep, I’m a big boy. Bigger than Gus.” Justin laughed, Gus was still bigger than Tommy.

“Wow, that’s pretty big.”

“Uh-huh. One day I’m going to be huge, like you.”

Justin couldn’t keep from falling onto the couch laughing. Brian’s face said it all, he didn’t find being called ‘huge’ a compliment.

“Come back soon, Daddy,” Tommy said, giving Brian a big hug.

“I will, buddy boy.” He looked over to Justin. “What are you three doing today?”

“Ted and Erik invited us to have lunch with them at Liberty Diner.”

Brian sat Tommy back down on his feet. “Are you sure that’s a good idea? Michael will probably be there.”

“I can’t hide myself away from the world. Michael was in the wrong not me. If I’m going to be a part of Tommy’s life, I need to became friends with your friends. Not Michael of course.”

“Of course.”

“By the way, have you decided what to do about him?”

Brian picked his luggage up and looked at Justin thoughtfully. “I’m going to let him hang himself.”

“What does that mean?”

“I could tell everybody what he did. They wouldn’t believe me or just blame it on me. But if I do nothing, and ignore Mikey, he’ll go nuts. He’ll show his true colors to everyone. I just have to wait. Maxwell is in jail so we don’t have to worry about him. Carl warned him that if anything happened to you that he would be up on the charges. I think you’re safe, just don’t be alone with Michael. When he starts to self-destruct it won’t be pretty.”

“I’ll be careful.”


Justin lifted Marissa out of her car seat and put her in stroller. Brian was letting him use his jeep while he was away. The parking spot he found was a few blocks away from the diner. That was okay with him, he had both kids dressed warmly.

“I’m so hungry,” Tommy said dramatically. He was clutching his belly.

“We’re on our way to the diner. You can get whatever you want.” Brian had given him some money until his lawyer was able to get his money released from Maxwell’s people, mainly his sister. Justin wanted to get a job but he’d have to wait until Marissa was big enough for him to leave her with a sitter.

This was the life he’d always envisioned. Having Tommy happy, and the baby he thought he’d lost. The only thing really missing was someone to share it with. At first he thought it might still be Brian because of how wonderful it had been. But that had gone out the window.

“Pa, look it’s Wolf’em,” Tommy said excitedly.

Ahead of them was a familiar man raving on a cell phone. It took Justin a moment to place him. Wolfram Bane, a character on Tommy’s favorite TV show. The Wolves of the Fallen City. Justin didn’t know the actor’s name but he was Tommy’s favorite on the show. It wasn’t a little kids show, but more a teen one. Brian said Tommy watched it with Emmett and fell in love with it. Wolfram was the oldest brother of the two leads. The man was probably in his early to mid-thirties, if Justin had to guess. On the show all Justin knew about him was he was nice and called all the kids ‘pup’.

Before Justin could stop him, Tommy took off towards the man.

“Wolf’em!” Tommy yelled happily. The man looked up and ended his phone call.

Stopping right in front of the actor the boy started jabbering. Justin couldn’t keep up with what he was talking about, he assumed it was about the show. Justin had only seen a few episodes. Tommy knew the show was fiction and shifters didn’t really exist. But he was so excited he started talking like the actor was a shifter named Wolfram. He was still only four after all, and so much like Justin when he was little.

“It’s not real, kid. It’s a fucking show,” the man snapped at him.

Justin finally caught up, though he had heard everything.

“I-I’m a Fally,” Tommy quietly stuttered.

‘Fallys’ were what the fans of the show called themselves. Tommy watched clips and fan videos on YouTube all the time.

The man looked down at Tommy with disgust, Justin saw all the work Brian had done slip away. Tommy had gone from a strong and confident little boy, to the boy that he had been in Maxwell’s house. Justin was ready to beat the shit out of the man when he saw Ted and Erik walking towards him.

“Hey, Justin,” Erik said with a small smile.

“Can you two take the kids in a minute for me.” His voice cold.

“Umm…yeah.” Ted picked up Tommy, who buried his face in Ted’s shoulder. Erik pushed the stroller. Soon they were in the diner.

“Listen, dude…,” the man started to say.

“Shut up. Does it make you feel like a big man making a kid cry? My son has been through so much in his four years. He knows the damn show is fake. All he wanted was for you to smile at him, pat his head and call him pup. I would have gotten him to leave you alone. But you couldn’t do that could you? If he was your son would you want someone to talk to him like that?” Justin was fuming.

The man finally looked ashamed by his behavior. “God, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what came over me. I was fighting with my ex-wife when he came over. Would you left me apologize?”

He looked sincere, which is the only reason Justin agreed. “Give me five minutes, then come in the diner over there. Okay?”

“Yes, thank you.” The man did look tore up about how he had treated Tommy. Justin wasn’t really willing to forgive but he didn’t want this to be how Tommy remembered something he loved.

Justin went inside to see a colorful woman sitting in a booth with Tommy in her lap. Justin could hear him whimpering. The woman, he recognized as Michael’s mother. She was running her hands up and down Tommy’s back while trying to calm him.

“What happened? He’s been like this since we came in.” Erik said.

Not wanting to get into it, he didn’t answer. Walking over to where Tommy was he pulled him into his arms. Justin carried him over to an empty booth, away from prying eyes and ears. He sat Tommy on the table in front of him. Etiquette be damned.

“Wolf’em is mean,” Tommy cried.

“No, the actor who plays Wolfram said something hurtful. It doesn’t make him mean, just human. Just like when Daddy got upset about his couch.”

A week ago Tommy had split grape juice on the couch. It had been Justin’s fault because he didn’t know about Brian’s no food or drink on the couch.

Tommy hiccupped, then giggled. “So mad.”

“Yes, Daddy was very upset but he’s not a mean person. Is he?”

Tommy shook his head. “Nope, he’s the best.”

“Yeah, and Wolfram is a character. The man who plays him was just having a really bad day. He going to come in and say he’s sorry. Would you like that?”

“Uh-huh.” Tommy wiped his tears away with his coat sleeve.

The diner suddenly got very quiet. Justin looked over Tommy’s shoulder and saw the man. Almost everyone in the diner was staring at him. Probably wondering what a TV star was doing in a little diner in the Pitts. That thought hadn’t really occurred to him until now. What was the man doing on Liberty Avenue in Pittsburgh?

The actor looked around the room and spotted them. Making his way over, he seemed to be ignoring everyone else. He slid into the booth on the opposite side of Justin, setting a bag he was carrying beside him. Pulling Tommy down to sit on his lap, Justin waited for the man to talk.

“Hello,” the man said nervously to Tommy.

“Hi,” Tommy said quietly. Justin rubbed his back letting him know he was there.

“I’m really sorry about being so mean out there. I just got some bad news and it made me upset. I shouldn’t have taken it out on you I’m sorry.”

“You’re not my favorite anymore,” Tommy told him.

“I understand. I’m not my favorite either.”

“Bertie’s my favorite now.” It seemed like Tommy was trying to hurt the actor now. But instead of hurting, the man just smiled.

“Bertie’s my favorite too.”

Tommy’s gasped. “Really? But Bertie is a bad.”

“I never really thought of Bertie as bad, just misunderstood.”

Justin had no idea who they were talking about. He didn’t really pay attention even when he watched it with Tommy.

“Who’s Bertie?” Justin finally asked.

“Pa, don’t embarrass me.” He looked back at the actor. “He’s not a Fally.”

“Oh, well that explains it. What’s your name, pup?”

That was it, Tommy was gone for. He crawled over the table and sat in front of the actor.

“My name is Tommy. What’s your not pretend name?”

“Alexander, but you can call me Alex.”

“Hmm…okay, but only in person. On TV you’re Wolf’em.”

“Understood. I got something for you if it’s okay with your pa.”

Tommy turned around and looked at Justin with big eyes. There was no way he could ever say no. “It’s okay.”

“He said it’s okay. What do I get?” Justin heard several people laugh. He had been ignoring it but everyone was watching and listening to the three of them.

Alex handed Tommy the bag, who proceeded to practically crawl in it. He pulled out a box set of the complete cast of the show. There were at least twenty little action figures in it.

“Mine?” Tommy asked, making sure he didn’t misunderstand.

“All yours. In fact, we’re shooting over in Point State Park this week. I was hoping that you’d come and see us. You can meet the man who plays Bertie, his not pretend name is Hector.”

“Yes!” Tommy set the boxset aside and lunged at the man. Alex caught him and hugged him tightly. Earlier he really was having a bad day. It was obvious now he was mostly good to fans. Justin still wasn’t going to forgive him though; he was just glad Tommy was happy.

“So can you come?” Alex asked Justin.

“I already said yes,” Tommy said.

Justin laughed. “Sure, why not. When?”

 

Dinner and a show by SLHR

 

 

 

 

 

He had gotten back from Dallas earlier, and just wanted to get everything straightened out at Kinnetik. Once inside the building he saw Ted. His first thought was Ted had really let himself go. Before he left a week ago Ted was chubby but this was too much. He had a beer gut, except for Ted hasn’t had alcohol since he got clean.

“Theodore, you really need to hit the gym more,” Brian told him as he passed the man in the hallway.

“Shut up, Brian. So I gained a few extra pounds. It’s just because I was sick for so long. Now that I can eat without losing my lunch, I’ve been eating a little more.” His cheeks reddened.

“A little? That’s like saying Honeycutt is a little flamboyant. Did you ever go to the doctor about your vomiting? I’ve got to tell you, it was disgusting.”

Ted rolled his eyes and walked up to where Brian was standing. His suit jacket couldn’t even be buttoned any longer. It was a horrible look on the man. Not that any look was good on him. Still…what was he thinking dressing like that?

“You either need to start going to the gym more or buy bigger suits.”

“I don’t think my boss can tell me to lose weight,” Ted said, a frown on his face.

“Like I said, I don’t care if it’s the gym or a bigger suit; we do have standards here. If you can’t fit your giant ass in a suit, get a bigger one.” Turning on his heel, he went to his office. Ted did a lot for Kinnetik, he should look presentable.

Three hours later, he was pouring over a new account they were trying to get when someone knocked on his door. It was after hours so everyone except him had gone home…or so he thought.

“Come in,” he said loudly.

When the door opened, all he saw was a flash and two little dark heads rush at him.

“Daddy!” both boys yelled.

Gus and Tommy threw themselves at him. Hugging them both, he smiled. It was a pleasant surprise. He had called and asked Justin to keep Tommy one more night, because of the amount of work that piled up in his absence.

“What are you two doing here?” He looked up, looking for Justin but the blonde was nowhere to be seen. Finally, someone did walk through the door. It wasn’t the blonde he was expecting.

“What are you doing here?”

“It’s good to see you too, Brian. We’re here to see if you want to go to dinner with us. Do you?”

“Please, Daddy,” Gus begged. Tommy was giving him the big eyes Justin told him about; he could never say no to either boy.

“Sure, but I’m not eating anywhere that has plastic placemats.”

“Yay!” both boys yelled.

“So why do you have Tommy?” Brian asked as they sat down at a booth in the Diner. It wasn’t easy to keep the boys quiet, so it truly was the best place to go, and no plastic placemats. In fact, no placemats at all.

“We’re having a sleepover so Pa can go on his date,” Tommy said, looking over his menu.

Brian shot Lindsay a look. Justin wasn’t even divorced yet; he was still in middle of a legal battle with his ex. It didn’t look like he even had to worry though. Maxwell’s ex-in-laws were pushing for murder charges against him because of their loved ones. It looked like he really would be convicted, but the trial was still a little way off. That didn’t mean Justin should be trying to get into a relationship so soon though.

“Date?” he asked Lindsay.

“Yep, with Bertie,” Tommy said, nodding happily.

“Who is Bertie?” The question was directed at Lindsay again, but just like before Tommy decided to answer.

“He’s not really bad, just misunderstood. Alex said so,” Tommy said.

“Alex? Bertie? Who the hell are these people? I was only gone for a week.”

Lindsay laughed lightly. “You know what both of your sons’ favorite show is?”

“Yeah, that stupid show about the wolves.”

“It’s not stupid,” Gus said, highly offended.

Brian smirked. He would be damned if he told the boys he enjoyed the show too. It was a pretty addicting show. Not to mention some of the actors were hot. It was a teen show but the only teens that were on were the twins, and he suspected in real life they were in their early twenties.

“Well, they were shooting some scenes over in Point Park this week. It seems that Tommy and one of the actors had a little run in. Justin worked everything out and as an apology, he invited Justin and Tommy to visit the filming. Justin asked if it was okay to bring Gus, you know since he loves the show as much as Tommy. I watched Marissa while they went.”

None of this explained who Justin was out on a date with right now. He was about to tell her get to the point when Gus spoke up.

“Bertie likes Justin.”

“Bertie’s his pretend name, Daddy. His not pretend one is Hector,” Tommy added.

“Okay, let me see if I’m following. Justin met some extra actor and is out on a date with him.”

“No, Justin met one of the stars of a highly popular cable TV show, and is out on a date with him.”

Brian liked the show but not enough to know the characters and actors by their names. He thought hard until he remembered who Bertie was.

“The villain? Justin is on a date with the villain of the show?”

“Villain?” Tommy questioned.

“It means bad guy,” Guy told him.

“Bertie’s not bad, just misunderstood.”

Done with this whole conversation he just realized no one had come to wait on them. Looking up he saw Kiki standing by the window, staring outside. Other customers were looking out the window too.

“Waitress! A little service, please.”

Kiki didn’t move, no one moved.

“I wonder what they’re looking at?” Lindsay asked.

“Maybe Theodore finally exploded.”

“That’s not funny. He’s very self-conscious about the weight he’s put on. If he was a carrier, I would swear he was pregnant, like really pregnant.”

“Nope, he’s just fat.” Looking back over at the window he saw they were all still there. “What the hell are all of you looking at that’s so important?” he yelled.

Kiki turned around, eyes wide. “Michael.”

There were several Michaels’ that frequented the Diner. They could be talking about any of them but he didn’t think so, he had a bad feeling about what was going on outside.

Standing up he made his way to the large window.

“Motherfucker!” he yelled before taking off out of the door.

“I-Hate-You-So-Much!” Michael screamed. He was holding a tire iron. He brought it down on Brian’s jeep. By the look at his jeep Michael had been at it for a while. All the while those assholes just watched from the window.

Ripping the tire iron from Michael’s hands, he threw it down the sidewalk.

“What the hell, Michael?”

“Ben left me, and it’s all your fault.”

“I haven’t even talked to you in months. How is anything you do my fault?”

“You picked him over me?”

“Ben?” What?

“No, Justin. The twink. You picked him. You believed him over me. I’ve been your best friend for over fifteen years and you chose him. Him and that little bastard, it was bad enough with just Gus.”

Brian was sure before he knew how Michael would react. He had been wrong. He was sure Michael would sulk for a while then work hard on getting Brian back on his good side. Brian would eventually soften and learn to forgive him. But this was unforgivable. He never believed Michael thought that Maxwell would hurt of try or kill Justin. He believed in his heart, Michael thought what he was doing was right. But then little things like the truth kept coming back to him. Michael knew Maxwell had abused Tommy. Then again, Michael never said anything bad about Jack to Brian either.

“Is there a problem here?” a tall, built police officer asked.

Hanging his head for a moment he looked back up at the officer. “No.”

The man didn’t look like he believed if for a moment but couldn’t do anything if Brian didn’t press charges.

“Yes, there is a problem. He attacked me,” Michael screeched.

Brian looked at Michael, shocked about what he had just said.

“Sir?” the cop narrowed his eyes at both of them.

“He attacked me with a tire iron. It’s over there with his prints all over it. He also hit his car because he was trying to blame it on me.” Michael’s eyes were wild. It was the first time that Brian noticed how ‘off’ he was.

“Michael, what did you take?”

Ignoring him Michael launched at the cop, reaching for his gun. To keep the cop from hurting Michael, Brian tackled him. It didn’t stop much because the cop worked around him to cuff Michael.

“What happened?” the cop asked, no nonsense now.

“I was in the Diner over there.” He pointed to the diner. “The whole place saw him doing this to my jeep. I came out to stop him. I think he’s on something, something his body is not able to handle. Please, before you take him in take him to the hospital.” Whatever was going on with Michael wasn’t normal. In fact, he had been a little off for about three years now.

 

 

The Date by SLHR

 

 

“I had a really nice time,” Justin told Hector.

The man was nice, but there was nothing there between them. They both had realized that early on in the date. It became a fun night when the expectations were gone. Between going out to eat and dancing he really enjoyed his night. While he decided that Hector wasn’t for him, he really enjoyed dating. It was something he had missed out on with how his life turned out.

Maybe it wasn’t even the dating part, it was getting out. Getting out and having fun, it was so foreign to him. Maybe he’d be able to get a job that he could do from the loft. Something that would allow him to get some money so Brian didn’t have to take care of him and Marissa both. Then he could work it out and get out some more.

“I did too. It was good to go out and just have fun,” Hector said.

Hector Garza was only a few inches taller than Justin. He had smoldering brown eyes and a killer smile. Besides his good looks, he was the most likable person Justin had ever met. It was funny because he played the villain in the show, since he was such a nice guy.

They were walking down Liberty Avenue, heading to the Diner for a late night snake before the end of the date.

“I can’t believe how many people wanted to dance with you,” Justin told him. When they were at Popperz, everybody and their brother wanted to dance with Hector.

“Me? I wasn’t the one with a line waiting for my attention. They only wanted to dance with me because of the show. They wanted you because you’re hot.”

Justin laughed. “Whatever.” His cheeks heated.

Hector grabbed Justin by the arm and pulled him closer to him. They slung their arms around each other and headed for the diner. If Hector wasn’t heading back to L.A. in the morning, he would think they could be friends.

The diner was filled with late night partiers. Because he didn’t get out much he didn’t recognize anyone but the waitress. It was Michael’s mother, Debbie. She looked very tired.

Taking the only open booth, they looked over what desserts were served.

“I think I’m going to get the lava cake,” Hector said, raising his eyes to look at Justin.

“That sounds good. I didn’t know a diner would have lava cake. I’ll get one too.”

Debbie walked over to them with a heavy sigh. “Hello, Sunshine. What can I get you and this cutie?” Her words were right but she didn’t sound as lively as she usually did.

“Umm…two lava cakes, please. I didn’t know you served them here.”

“Yes, Jimmy the new cook seems to think he’s a chef at the Hilton,” she said rolling her eyes.

“That’s nice.” Her eyes started to water suddenly. “Debbie, are you alright?”

“I’m fine. It’s just been a long day.”

“What happened?” Hector asked. Justin could tell he really did care even though he didn’t know her.

“My son, he’s in the hospital.”

“Michael? Is he okay?” Justin wasn’t a fan of Michael but didn’t want anything to happen to him.

“He hasn’t been acting right for a while. He’s been very selfish and violent for a while now. His husband couldn’t put up with it anymore and left. Earlier Michael took a tire iron to Brian’s jeep, then tried to attack a cop.”

“Oh god,” Justin said.

“Brian asked the cop to take him to the hospital. Michael’s sick.”

“What does that mean? What’s he sick with?” Justin asked.

“He didn’t remember what he had done. After Kiki told me what he did, I thought he was lying to save himself. Then he started to ask if Vic was coming to see him too. They are keeping him in a psychiatric hold. He’s not all there, I don’t know what’s wrong with him. They want to run some pretty expense tests on him. Brian is paying for them. I’m scared.”

“I’m so sorry, Debbie. What are you doing here, you should be at the hospital.” Justin stood up and hugged her.

Pulling back, she patted his cheek. “You’re a good boy. I can’t stay at the hospital; he can’t have any more visitors. My only other option is to go home and sit there worrying.”

“What time do you get off?”

“In an hour. I only work four hours today.”

“How about this. Hector and I are just having dessert before we call it a night. After that I’ll go pick up Marissa from Erik’s, and we’ll come and spend the night with you?” He didn’t know her very well but did know where she lived. He didn’t want her to be up crying all night.

“You don’t have to, honey.” He could see she liked the idea.

“That’s it. That’s what we’ll do.”

She dabbed her eyes and went to put in their order.

“That was really nice of you.”

“She seems to really need a friend. I can’t say I’m Michael’s biggest fan but maybe he’s the way he is, because of something out of his control.” He didn’t say it but it would mean a lot to Brian too. The man missed his best friend even though he hadn’t said anything to Justin.

It was nearing midnight by the time Justin got to Erik’s to get the baby. Erik answered the door with a smile on his face.

“So, I’m guessing the date was a success?” he asked.

“It was a great night. I’m not ready for anything serious, but it was really fun.”

“Are you going to see him again?”

Justin followed behind Erik to his room, where the crib was. He saw a large mound on the bed.

“No, he’s going back home tomorrow.”

“Shh…Ted’s sleeping,” Erik said as he walked over to the crib.

Marissa was cooing when Erik lifted her up and handed her to Justin.

Back in the living room Justin questioned Erik.

“So…Ted.”

“I know; he’s gained so much weight lately. Brian has him so self-conscious that he’s working out every morning. But today Brian told him that he needed to work out more. I could have killed the man.”

“Has he gone to the doctor? Putting on all that weight in the matter of months isn’t healthy. Something might be wrong.”

“I know, it looks like he is pregnant. But he’s not a carrier.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Ted was tested in college. He’s so scared it’s a tumor or something else terrible.”

“You’re a nurse.”

“I can’t get him to listen to me. He refuses. I’ll just be here for him when he finally chooses to get help.”

After that conversation he left. He had all he needed in the diaper bag for Marissa. So instead of going home he went straight to Debbie’s.

Brian had gotten home at three in the morning. Tommy was having a sleepover with Gus. After pounding on Justin’s door for twenty minutes, it was clear to him the twink wasn’t home. So much for not rushing into anything. Well, he could go on dates too. Plenty of them.

 

New Beginnings by SLHR
Author's Notes:

I'm writing and posting while my muse on this story is hanging around. Hope you enjoy.

 

 

Justin woke up to the mouthwatering smell of eggs and frying bacon. It had been a long time since he had woken up to food being cooked. Not since before he told his parents about Tommy’s pending arrive. It was the last time he felt like he truly belonged, before he was told he really didn’t.

He was supposed to see his mother and sister on Sunday. It worried him, but he was glad no one would be watching them like hawks while they visited.

The sound of Debbie chattering made him smile. It wasn’t hard to hear her since he slept on the couch. It just didn’t feel right to sleep in Vic or Michael’s rooms.

After he stood, he stretched his body out. His back a little sore from sleeping on the couch. Marissa cooed from the kitchen. He found Debbie cooking while talking to a Marissa, Gus and Tommy. Both boys were shoveling food in their mouths like it was going to be ripped away at any moment. Marissa was in her carrier, chewing on her fingers.

Just then Debbie turned from the stove and saw him. “Good morning, Sunshine. You slept like the dead. Didn’t even wake up when Lindsay dropped off the boys.”

“Morning. Where’d she go?” he asked with a yawn.

“She’s works at The Sydney Bloom Art Gallery. She’s working on this artist named Sam Auerbach’s show.”

“Sam Auerbach? Never heard of him.”

“Oh, Lindsay says he’s a wonderful artist.”

“That’s good. I guess he has to be for his art to be up in a gallery.” It must be an amazing feeling.

Justin lifted Marissa up out of her carrier, and sat down at the table. Debbie placed a plate filled with scramble eggs, bacon and pancakes.

“It looks so great, Debbie. Thank you so much.”

He was an expert now at eating while tending to a baby.

“Honey, could you take the boys. I was hoping to go back to the hospital and see what’s going on, Ben is going to meet me there.”

“No problem.”

The loft was quiet when he awoke. Usually, at this time in the morning Tommy would be bouncing on his bed, trying to wake him. He didn’t know what time Justin was planning on picking up Tommy from Lindsay’s, maybe he should just go and pick him up.

Since it was Saturday, he decided to go to the diner. Well, he went there almost every day so it wasn’t that much of a shocker. At least this time he wouldn’t have to risk getting anything spilt on him. Tommy must get his coordination from Justin’s side of the family. Brian’s family were always good on their feet, especially when they were three sheets to the wind. Not that that was a family trait he wanted either of his boys to inherited from him.

Deciding to start his weekend good, he made sure to wear his most mouthwatering jeans. Taking the stairs, he stopped by Justin’s loft and knocked. Might as well show Justin what he’s missing. Sure, Brian wasn’t a TV star but he could probably buy his own cable station, or at least start one. Not that Brian was jealous, he wasn’t. What did he have to be jealous of? Some small time actor? Justin had too much baggage for anyone to buy into. At least, at the moment. He shouldn’t be trying to start anything when he was still married. Not like Brian thought a lot of marriage anyway but still.

After a few minutes of knocking on the door he determined that Justin hadn’t come home at all. If he got pregnant again he would be sorely mistaken if he thought his new guy was going to take care of all of them. Even if he felt sorry for Justin and took him, there was no way he’d want Marissa. And there was no way Tommy was getting near the new guy.

As he stepped into the diner he heard the unmistakable laughter of his sons. Looking over he saw them on the same side in a booth. Justin was on the opposite side with the baby on his shoulder. He could see that she was asleep, drooling.

“Brian,” Justin called over to him. That’s when the boys noticed him.

“Daddy!” they yelled and jumped out of the booth, running to him.

He scooped them up easily. They were giggling in his arms. Walking over to the booth, he placed the boys on their side. Then he picked up the carrier and diaper bag out of the booth and placed them in the empty booth behind them. It wasn’t that early in the morning but the usual crowd was probably still sleeping in.

“So, how was the date?” he asked, knowing damn well how it had gone.

“Really great. We went out to dinner and then dancing. Marrying, you know who, so young I didn’t know what I was missing. It was so fun, not that I’d change either Tommy or Marissa.”

Brian nodded and looked over to the boys. “Ice cream? This early in the morning?” He raised an eyebrow. They just smiled and kept eating the sugary goodness.

“We ate at Debbie’s this morning. The bus won’t be coming for another twenty minutes, so we’re killing time.”

“Debbie’s? Why were you at Debbie’s?”

“Last night Hector and I came here after dancing. Debbie told me about Michael. She was so distraught, I couldn’t just leave her for the night. Hector took me to pick up Marissa in his rental, he waited in the car while I got the baby. Then he took me to Debbie’s. This morning Lindsay dropped off the boys while she went to work. Debbie wanted to go back to the hospital so I took them.”

“How’s Michael?” he asked quietly. He felt guilty for all the things he thought about Justin. Really, what did he matter if he had gone to fuck the guy. Brian was the last person to judge.

Justin shook his head. “Debbie was worried. She said he asked for Vic. That’s her brother right?”

“Yeah, he died over a year ago.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It is, what it is.”

He didn’t want to talk about Vic dying. About how much it hurt, worse than when he lost his father. About finding the cancer so soon afterwards. He was so glad he was in remission by the time Tommy came into his life. He didn’t want to drag him down with him.

Clearing his throat. “So where’s Mikey now?”

“Psychiatric hold at Alleghany General.”

Brian nodded his head. Yesterday, he had told them to bill him. He didn’t want Debbie dying trying to cover the expenses like with Vic. But at the time it was still just tests.

“I don’t want the boys on the bus, I’ll drive you.”

“The bus is fine. But you can take the boys, three is a little much to handle.”

“Just accept the ride,” he told him.

“I can’t.”

“Why not?” he snapped.

Justin smiled at him. “There’s not enough room.”

Brian thought about his backseat, Justin was right. There was only room and seatbelts for two. Already both Gus and Tommy’s boosters where hooked up.

“Fine,” he said begrudgingly. He would look into getting a car for Justin. It only made sense because of Tommy. At least that’s what he told himself.

Both boys were down for the night. Brian had asked Lindsay if he could keep Gus for the night. She seemed very happy by that. At first he thought she was going to enjoy a night out with Mel. But then he found out from Gus that Mel was visiting her mother and wouldn’t be back until Monday. So now he just assumed Lindsay was just glad for a break.

He had black paneling put up around his room. Privacy was needed in his life. Since he couldn’t bring guys home anymore, self-love was important. And waiting to shower just took too long.

Now alone in his room he settled over the covers. He had locked his door but he didn’t need to, both boys slept heavy. Just as he was about to take matters into his own hands someone knocked on his door.

Jumping out of bed he hurried to the door. Just because they slept heavy didn’t mean nothing wouldn’t wake them up. He didn’t want to read any more about the fucking lonely puppy.

“Jesus fuck!” he snapped as he slid open the door.

He was greeted by Justin and Marissa. Justin was just wearing sleep pants. Marissa in some god awful pink thing.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb you. I had a nightmare about Tommy. I just wanted to make sure he was alright.”

“You could have called.”

“I didn’t want to wake anyone.”

Brian just looked at him. He knocked on the door, the only way to check on him was to wake him up.

“Fine, I just need to see for myself.”

Brian slid the door up wider and let him in. Justin went straight to Tommy’s little room. Finally, it looked like he was relaxing.

“Everything okay now, princess?”

“I just wanted to make sure my child was okay. Would you think twice if you had the same worry?” No, he wouldn’t. In fact, he would have beat on the door like the place was on fire.

“Want to tell me what the nightmare was about?”

“First, do you still have that travel bassinet? I need to lay her down for a minute.”

Going over to the closet he pulled the packable bassinet. He set it up in his room. He wanted to lay down while they had this conversation, he was tired.

Justin sat on the edge of the bed as Brian laid down. It seemed to take a moment for Justin to decide something. He placed Marissa in her bassinet, then shut the bedroom door, turning the lock.

Brian watched as Justin lowered his sleep pants. He was gloriously naked underneath.

“I thought you wanted to talk?”

“Later, first I need to be touched. I need to be with you.” He was pleading. Brian didn’t know what the nightmare was about but he could see many different levels of need in Justin’s eyes.

“Come here,” he said, huskily.

He would give Justin want he needed. First, he makes sure to grab the condoms and lube out of the drawer. Condoms were used last time, he used them every time. But now they were joined with spermicidal lube. Carriers were rare so he didn’t think he had to worry. But he did worry now.

 

 

Calling Names by SLHR

 

 

 

 

When Brian woke up, both Justin and Marissa were gone. He didn’t want to think about why that made him sad. Before he had too much time to dwell on it, little giggles sounded from outside his door. Slipping on some jeans, he opened the door to see what his children were up to at the moment.

“We’re hungry,” Gus whined as Brian stepped out of the room.

“I’ll make toast and turkey bacon.”

“We want to go to the diner,” Tommy pouted.

“No, I have to wait until Glen comes to pick up the jeep.”

“Who’s Glen?” Gus asked as he picked up the toys that had fallen on the ground. Both boys knew not to make messes in the loft.

“He is my mechanic. He’s going see if he can fix the damage to it.”

Both boys had gawked at the dings and broken rear view mirror the day before. Brian only trusted Glen with his jeep. Since Glen didn’t get back into town until today, he had to wait. After that, he would have to rent a car until his was fixed. He was just lucky Mikey wasn’t stronger.

“What’s a mechanic?” Tommy asked.

“It’s a guy that fixes cars, stupid,” Gus said cruelly.

“Don’t call your brother stupid.”

Gus and Tommy, usually had such a great relationship. But out of the blue, he would catch Gus saying something mean to Tommy. He hoped they would grow out of it. It was his goal to stop this in its track before they end up hating each other, like he and his sister.

“But he is stupid.” Gus was glaring at Brian now.

“I’m not stupid. You’re a bitch,” Tommy responded heatedly.

“Stop. Tommy come here.”

Tommy bit his lip before walking guiltily to Brian. Sitting down on the couch, he pulled Tommy onto his lap. Looking back at Gus, he gestured him to join them. He put Gus on his other knee.

“First off. Gus, why are you saying mean things to Tommy?”

Gus looked down at his own hands before looking back at Brian. “Mommy calls him names. I didn’t mean to make you mad.”

“What do you mean Mommy calls him names?” There was an edge to his voice.

Gus shied away a little but still answered. “Mommy said that you didn’t want Tommy, and only took him so he wouldn’t be given to strangers. She said it’s okay to be mean to him, he’s not your real son.”

Tommy let out a cry, and turned his head into Brian’s chest.

Brian was fuming, he didn’t know what to say. Well, at least not to the kids. He knew what he wanted to say to Lindsay.

“Gus, Tommy is my real son. Just like you are my real son. I don’t know why your mother said that. It’s not okay to be mean to him.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t want to but Mommy says I have to be mean,” Gus cried, launching himself at Tommy.

Brian just held both boys until their tears dried up. He was completely lost on what to do now. Except for going after Lindsay to find out why she was telling Gus that. He still didn’t know where the stupid comment came from, but he wasn’t about to start that up again. Bitch could have come from him; he did say it a lot. Mostly, when the was talking about his dear mother and sister.

“Let’s only treat each other how we want to be treated, okay?” The boys nodded sadly.

When the hell did I become Mr. Rogers?

He would deal with Lindsay later.


Justin couldn’t believe he had given into his urges the night before. He blamed that damn dream for making him want that kind of comfort. Not that it was bad, or even something he want to take back. It was something that couldn’t happen again. That was a given. Brian had made it clear he wasn’t the settling down type. Not only that, but now that he was soon to be single, he thought it would be fun to have a life outside a relationship. Or at least he could lie and tell himself that he wanted that.

Pushing away those thoughts, he dressed Marissa in a blue jean dress, it had a sunflower on the front. He dressed in some of the only nice cloths he had. Khaki slacks and a dark blue button down shirt. His mother would expect him at noon. She picked an upscale French restaurant to dine. She would be meeting Marissa after lunch. Earlier when he called Ted and Erik, they agreed to take care of her while he was out. He would have to leave soon if he wanted enough time to get there on time.


“I really think this is best for him,” Ben said sadly.

Debbie looked up at her son-in-law. She knew he was right, there was no other choice. For Michael to get better he needed to be away from all of them. Luckily, his ex had volunteered to help out. Ben wasn’t very happy at the prospect to begin with, but if Michael didn’t go he would lose him anyway.

The doctors couldn’t say for sure yet, but they believed Michael suffers from Bipolar disorder. And that lead to some kind of breakdown. Now that have a guess, it was what they were going on. Debbie had called Michael’s ex, David to see if he showed any signs with him. David had admitted that was what he believed was going on. Michael’s refusal to seek treatment ended things. When she asked why he didn’t tell her, he simply said he didn’t think she would believe him. She probably wouldn’t have.

Michael had always been a little more needy than other kids. She just assumed that was the issue now, needing Brian’s attention. But it seemed like that all was more than that. David was friends with the director of an inpatient facility in Portland. He’s going to fly over, and then back with Michael. Ben knew he might not have his husband at the end of this, but at least Michael would be healthy. Usually, they would have to worry about Brian interfering, but he made his stance clear. It wasn’t his concern anymore. She knew he didn’t really mean it, but maybe it was for the best. Both needed to be apart, to get over this crush Michael’s had on him. And the need Brian had to take care of Michael.


It had been three weeks since David took Michael to Portland. Life went on and surprisingly to him, Brian wanted to spend more time together. Like now, they were enjoying dinner in Brian’s loft.

That wasn’t the only big change in their life. Brian seemed to have temporary custody of Gus. He refused to tell him what happened but from what he pieced together, Lindsay fucked up.

The facts that Justin knew was Lindsay started having an affair with the Sam guy. Two weeks ago, she was caught, in her bed with him by Mel. Melanie didn’t even seem that surprised with it. What she did next surprised everyone. She packed her shit and left. Left everything; Lindsay, Gus and her job. None of them had seen her go. It was creepy Brian said. She had fought tooth and nail to be Gus’s parent then she just gave him up. Now she just disappeared, she hadn’t even quit her job, just didn’t show back up. Justin had to agree it was odd, she just seemed to vanish into thin air.

“When are Laurel and Hardy supposed to be here?” Brian asked.

“That’s not nice. He can’t help it if he’s a little big,” Justin defended Ted.

“No, he’s the size of a killer whale. There is something wrong with him. I’ve tried to get him to go to the hospital. Erik has, you have. He just won’t. Even Debbie and Emmett tried to make him. He’s terrified they’ll say it’s a tumor or something.”

“You know what it looks like,” Justin said as he sliced carrots.

“It looks like he’s about twenty months pregnant.”

“Not quite but he does look very pregnant. He won’t even consider it though. He swears about being tested in college, and he wasn’t a carrier.”

“I don’t know what to say, Sunshine. Something is growing inside him, be it a kid or a tumor. Sooner or later whatever it is needs to come out.”

“I wish he would just take a pregnancy test. Then we would know what it isn’t.”

“Good luck with that. Boys! Go wash your hands then set the table,” Brian yelled to the kids. He placed everything they needed on the table.  

Justin mixed the carrots up into the salad. It was the only way the boys would eat them. And the salad was probably the only thing Brian would eat.

The buzzer sounded, telling them that their guests had arrived. Justin buzzed them in before returning to finish the last of the salad off.

He heard Ted and Erik enter better he saw them. It had been a few weeks since the last time he saw them. Ted had taken vacation, Brian thought it was because he couldn’t fit in his suits anymore.

“Hey, wel-

Anything Justin was about to say was cut off when he saw Ted. This had to stop, it had too. How could Erik being a medical professional let Ted walk around with something unknown making him that large?” Ted was bigger than Justin’s Aunt Rhea before the stomach surgery.

“I forgot something at the store, I’ll be right back,” Justin said before grabbing his wallet and keys, running out the still open door.

“We’re just about to start dinner,” Brian yelled.

Justin wasn’t listening, he was going to end one question in his head once and for all. Was Ted pregnant? Or was he really sick? He couldn’t answer the sick one, but he could the pregnancy one. The store on the corner sold anything a person could need, last minute like. He grabbed six pregnancy tests and headed for the cashier. He had one idea how to get Ted to take the test, and Brian wasn’t going to like it.

Now with his bag of six pregnancy tests. Hopefully, Ted will fall for his mechanisms.

Everyone looked at him oddly when he got back but they refrained from saying anything. He set the bag on the couch but didn’t tell anyone what was in it. Dinner was good, but the conversation a little stilted. After the kids finished, they took off for their little sanctuary. Marissa was sitting in the swing Brian had gotten her, it was her favorite thing.

“So, what’s in the bag, Sunshine? Flavored lube? Anal beads?”

“Brian, the kids are just over there,” Justin said pointing to the kids.

“They aren’t paying any attention to us. Seriously, what’s in the bag?”

“Pregnancy tests.”

“Why the hell do you have those?” Brian asked suspiciously.

“Calm down. It’s just a bit of fun. Don’t worry, no more kids for us.”

“Then what is this?”

Justin pulled the first two out. “Erik and I will take these first two.”

“Umm… Why am I taking a pregnancy test? I’m not a carrier,” Erik asked.

“It’s just a bit of fun, like I said. Come on, you first. After you take it, recap it and put it face down on the sink.”

“Fine,” Erik said, grabbing the test and going into the restroom.

Next was Justin, then Ted and finally after practically begging Brian, he did the same.

“Okay, let’s get the results,” Justin said. It was finally going to come out.

Going into the restroom he picked up all four tests.

“I still don’t understand why we’re doing this,” Ted murmured. Looking at Brian and Erik though, Justin knew why they had so easily given in. They wanted to know the truth too.

He mixed the tests up then turned the first over.

“Negative,” he said.

“Of course it is,” Brian said.

Flipping over the next. “Negative.”

“Stop with all the dramatics, Justin,” Erik said, sounding a bit strained.

“Flipping over the next. “Positive,” he said excitedly.

“Well, congrats Justin,” Ted said blandly.

“I’m not pregnant.” He turned the last over. “Negative.”

“Well, I used water on mine. So, it sure as hell isn’t mine.”

Brian snapped his head and glared at Justin. If looks could kill, he would be a dead and gone. Fuck!

 

The Test by SLHR

 

 

 

 

“Wait a minute, I’m not pregnant,” Justin growled.

He would own up to a lot of things, but there was no way he was pregnant. Okay, there was a minimal chance but it really wasn’t that possible. Brian had made sure they were safe, double safe with the spermicide.

“Well…someone is,” Erik said loudly. “I know for sure it isn’t me. I’ve been tested three times to see if I was a carrier.”

“Three times? Why three times?” Brian asked harshly, still glaring at Justin.

“Because, I was first tested at sixteen, then again in college. Sometimes, teens and young adults’ tests can be wrong because of hormones.”

“Wait, you never told me this,” Ted said coolly.

“Yes, I did. You just didn’t listen to me.”

“I have two more pregnancy tests,” Justin pointed out.

Ted, not saying another word grabbed the test and headed to the bathroom. He stayed in there for what seemed like the longest time. Finally, he stepped out of the bathroom holding the test in his hand. His face was pale.

“What’s going on?” Erik asked hesitantly.

“It’s positive.”

“What?” Justin could see the joy mixed with worry in Erik’s eyes.

“It’s positive,” Ted said slower this time.

“That’s it. Thanks for dinner, but I need to take him home. And you,” he said turning towards Ted. “Tomorrow morning we’re going to the doctor. No argument.”

As soon as the door slid shut Brian rounded on him. “Pregnant?”

“Brian, I’m not pregnant.”

“Yeah, how do you know?”

“Because I know my body. I know I’m not.”

“Well, if Ted used water the first time, and Erik’s been tested three times, it has to be your test.”

“Are you forgetting yourself?”

“Impossible. I haven’t been topped in…”

“Three weeks,” Justin said with a smirk. It had been an amazing night. Brian had allowed Justin to let him inside his body. Right away, Justin took it for the gift it was. It was very clear Brian didn’t relinquish control very much. Of course, he didn’t relinquish it that much, and after that Justin remembered being taken by Brian again. “Take the last test. You have to know.”

“I was tested.”

“When?”

“Eighteen.”

“You heard Erik, it could have changed.”

Brian ripped the last unopened test out of the bag and stomped into the bathroom.

“Is Daddy mad?” Tommy asked. Justin didn’t know when the boys started to pay attention to what was going on.

“No, he’s just a little worried.”

“Oh. Why did Uncle Ted and Uncle Erik leave?” Gus questioned.

“Well, Uncle Ted is going to have a baby.” He wasn’t worried about sharing the news because the test just confirmed what he had been thinking for a month.

“Really?” Gus asked.

“Really. Is that good?”

“Yep, we can play with him. He’ll be bigger than Marissa right?” Tommy asked.

“No, he or she will be smaller.”

“Is Uncle Ted happy?” Gus asked.

“I think he is.” Or he will be after the shock wears off.

“Does the baby have a mommy or another daddy?” Gus asked.

“Another daddy, it’s Uncle Erik.”

“Yay!” Tommy yelled.

The door to the bathroom opened and out stepped a livid Brian. No need to ask how the test turned out. He was going to murder Justin. Maybe he should write a will real fast.

“Bedroom. Now!” Brian snapped.

“Isn’t that how we wound up in this mess, sailor?” Justin joked.

Flames were shooting from Brian’s eyes.

Okay, too soon to joke about it. To my mother, I leave the old GQ magazines that I stole from doctors’ offices over the years. They are hidden in the basement of the house she is selling. To my little sister, I leave my Teddy Ruxpin, he can be found in Terry Mac’s little brother’s sandbox. Terry had buried him there while I begged him not to. To my son, I leave Terry Mac’s mother’s credit card. It may no longer be work but Terry Mac got grounded for a month because she thought he stole it. Sentimental reasons. And lastly to my daughter, I leave you to two copies of To Kill a Mockingbird. Mine and Terry Mac’s. He failed that test sadly because someone was still angry at him three years later to still his copy.

“NOW!” Justin jumped a bit at the yell.

“I’m not a dog Brian, when you can speak to me kindly we’ll talk. I’m taking Marissa back to my loft. When you’re ready to speak like adults we can work this out. I’m done being a doormat.”

He gathered Marissa and her things. Then he kissed the boys on their cheeks before leaving. His heart was beating out of control. Justin knew the feeling of finding out you were unexpectedly pregnant. Brian had many things going for him that Justin didn’t. He even had the money to have the pregnancy terminated. It wasn’t something Justin would ever do but he wasn’t his body and he respected Brian’s choice. But it didn’t mean he was his whipping boy.  

 

 

End Notes:

Don't be mad.

Baby? by SLHR

 

 

 

 

Once Justin was back in his loft he finally let out a breath. Brian was pregnant with his child. How crazy was that? It was so overwhelming. After Tommy and Marissa, he thought he was done with kids. It worried him that Brian probably would chose to terminate. But it was his choice, it wasn’t something Justin could choose for him. Not that Brian would let him.

When he left Brian’s, he was worried about leaving the boys. But he felt that testing Brian’s limits wasn’t for the best. The boys would be fine, if a little confused and worried.

Justin fed Marissa, burped her then changed her. She was already dozing by the time he laid her down. His phone rang not long after.

“Hello,” he answered quietly.

“I didn’t mean to yell,” Brian said gruffly.

Justin noticed Brian hadn’t said he was sorry. It really wasn’t in his nature though.

Stepping over the baby’s bouncy seat, he walked over to his bed. Sitting down, his body and mind finally caught up to the day.

“So, have you decided what you want to do?” Justin asked.

“Yes.”

“Well?” he asked, when it was clear Brian wasn’t going to say more.

“I’m going to have it.”

“What?” Justin was shocked, very shocked.

“You weren’t raised in my house. I have my own reasons for having it. We need to talk about what happens next?”

“What is that?”

“Well, I can’t have three kids in this loft. It’s already filled to capacity. I’m thinking about getting a house.”

“A house?” A smile curved his mouth just thinking about Tommy and Gus playing in a backyard. “The boys will love that.”

“Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Would you and Marissa like to move in with us?”

Justin couldn’t believe his ears. Was Brian really asking him what he thought he was?

“Really?” He wanted to be a family? Justin’s heart felt like it was going to pound out of his chest. He had wanted Brian Kinney the first night he met him, five years ago.

“Yes, it will be good for the boys, Marissa and this baby. Not to mention that if you live with me, it will be easier to have our own lives again. I could start going back to the gym in the evening, Babylon on weekends.”

That’s when Justin saw the offer for what it really was. A live-in nanny. Or maybe a housewife without the benefit of a relationship or love. He was tempted to say no, but looking over at Marissa sleeping in her bed, he knew he couldn’t deny her living with her siblings.

“Sure, sounds great,” he said, faking enthusiasm.

The next day Brian told him he had an appointment at the doctor. Brian wouldn’t let him come with him. He tried not to let it show how much it hurt.

A family dinner was called for that Saturday at Debbie’s. Justin knew the reason, Ted and Erik were announcing their pregnancy.


When Saturday finally arrived, Justin found himself with all three kids. Justin was driving the kids over to Debbie’s for the dinner. Brian had gotten him an SUV, just a few days earlier. At first he told Brian no, but the older man pointed out that it was a necessity with the children.

“Is Daddy going to be there?” Gus asked from his seat.

“Yes, his flight arrives in an hour. He’s going be there soon after he lands.” Brian had to flight to New York the previous day. One of his clients, was having a major meltdown about his new promotion, one that he had already agreed on.

“Can I eat ice cream for dinner?” Tommy asked.

“No, Debbie worked hard on the food she’s making. You’re going to eat whatever you are served.”

“Eww…what if she makes broccoli?” Tommy asked wrinkling his nose in disgust.

“You don’t have to eat anything that you don’t like, but you will eat real food.”

“Fine,” Tommy huffed.

Justin pulled up and parked near Deb’s. He hoped that Brian was in a better mood when he arrived. Ever since he found out he was pregnant and chose to keep the baby, he’d been on edge. It was hard to talk to him without worrying about making him shutdown.

“I want you two to hold hands when we cross the street,” he told the boys as he got Marissa out of her carrier.

“Can we skip?” Gus asked.

“Umm…sure, have a blast.” He didn’t know what that was about, but was sure it would be over his head. Children’s logic was something he didn’t get.

So he walked alongside two little boys holding hands and skipping. His father would be so proud. Not.

“Heya, honey. You’re the first to arrive,” Debbie greeted them at the door. Justin smiled as they walked into the house.


He was exhausted. Utterly exhausted. Robert Stanley of Stanley Waters Corp was a nightmare. At first, he loved the campaign, then when the ads were headed to print he said he was going to pull the plug. Brian had to make him see sense, which wasn’t easy.

It wasn’t until last night, that the man said why he really wanted Brian there. The slug of a man, had the audacity to threaten to pull his whole account, if Brian didn’t sleep with him. There was a lot of things he had done in the past for business that he hated. But those days were over. Brian pointed out he had a contract, and nowhere in it said he had to fuck him. When the man’s face reddened, Brian told him his lawyer would be in touch. The guy backed down. Apparently, having his family lawyer deal with his case of blue balls wasn’t something he wanted. Must not have wanted the wife and kids to find out either.

Arriving at Debbie’s, he could hear laughing and chatting inside. He walked in without knocking. Inside, he saw most everyone in the living room. Ted was sitting in Vic’s old recliner, Erik on the arm. Ted looked even bigger than when he saw him yesterday morning. Marissa was on the floor with both Gus and Tommy, they were shaking baby toys in her face then tossing them away when it looked like she was interested in them. Typical. Carl and Emmett were chatting on the couch. When he walked by, it sounded like they were talking about football. That couldn’t be right though. He could hear Debbie in the kitchen talking. Not surprisingly, Justin was in with her and Ben putting the finishing touches on dinner. What did surprise him was Lindsay, who was sitting at the table reading a magazine. He didn’t expect her to be there.

“Hey, Linz.” She looked up and glared at him.

She would be getting Gus every other weekend until her house was sold. She needed a stable living environment, and for some reason she refused to stay at her house. Right now, she was living in a hotel with that Sam guy, no place for a small boy. But he had to allow visitation or it would look bad on him.

“Brian,” she said primly, before turning back to the magazine. It was funny, she bitched about wanting to spend time with her son but here she was not even in the same room with him.

“Is Melanie coming?” Debbie asked hesitantly.

“No, I don’t think so. She doesn’t care anymore, about anything. She’s gone.”

Brian and Debbie exchanged a long look. It didn’t seem like Mel to give up without a fight. Also, odd was not speaking to any of them. Ted was her best friend, and he hadn’t heard from her in a while.

“Dinner’s ready!” Debbie yelled.

Everyone sat around the extended table, except the boys, they had a child table just inside the living room. Marissa was in the crib.

“So, what’s the big news?” Emmett asked.

Ted spoke up. “Guys, well as you’ve been noticing, I’ve gained a little weight.”

Brian snorted, but then remembered his own situation, making it not so funny then. Looking up he saw Erik glaring at him. He held up his hands in surrender.

“Anyway,” Erik said. “It looks like you’re going to be a great aunt.” He was looking over at Debbie.

“What? Teddy’s pregnant? I can’t fucking believe it.” She jumped up hugging both Ted and Erik. “How far along are you?”

“That’s the thing, I’m only five months along.”

“I thought for sure you’d be further along,” Justin said before blushing and hanging his head. “Sorry.”

“Yeah, about that,” Ted said.

“Is it twins?” Emmett asked, clapping his hands.

“No,” Ted said slowly.

“Is something wrong with the baby?” Carl asked. By the faces around him, Brian guessed that the thought never occurred to them.

“Well, Baby A seems to be in the best shape, health wise. Baby B, is just a little smaller but looks pretty healthy. But Baby C is struggling. As of Monday, I go on bedrest.”

“Triplets?” Debbie screeched, looking like she was going to faint.

“Yes, Baby B is a boy. A and C are girls. But C is pretty small. The doctor was very clear; Ted needs to rest as much as possible. Baby C will need the most time to grow. We still could lose her or all of them.”

Everyone congratulated them. Even Brian told him not to worry about work. Baby C’s situation sounded precarious. He didn’t need the stress of work.

Sharing a look with Justin, they silently agreed to wait on their news. It wasn’t like with Ted and Erik. They weren’t a couple; they were acquaintances that now shared two children, not a couple


Two days later Brian, Justin and Marissa were touring houses. None of the houses spoke to Brian, so he decided to wait a little longer to decide. He had nine months after all.

Justin invited Brian and the boys over for dinner. At first, he thought he would turn him down. But Brian accepted and now Justin was nervous. Things hadn’t been bad since he found out he was pregnant but that wasn’t to say things were happy-go-lucky.

Marissa was thankfully sleeping, which made cooking dinner easier. Tommy was pickier eater than Gus but they both loved chicken and rice. He was using a new recipe he found. Tommy was very anti-vegetable. That meant he had to sneak in the veggies.

A quiet knock sounded from the door.

“Once second,” he yelled before washing his hands and drying them.

When he opened the door Gus was standing in front of the door. Alone.

“Where is your dad?” he asked.

“Coming, I’m faster,” he said, puffing out his chest.

Just then, he saw Brian coming down the stairs. He was carrying a smiling Tommy.

“Did I miss something?” Justin asked.

“Nope, just trying to keep my figure. I shudder to think about turning into a blimp like Theodore.” Brian put down Tommy, both boys then ran inside.

“Unlikely, unless you have triples too.”

“Shut your fucking mouth,” Brian said, without heat.

“I know this must be hard on you,” Justin said seriously.

“Of course it is. But that doesn’t change anything. Well, except you are never getting near my ass again.”

“Brian,” Justin hissed, his face blushing scarlet.

“What?”

“The boys are right there,” Justin said as he pointed to the boys, who were now crawling on the floor.

“What are they doing?” Brian asked.

“Isn’t is obvious?”

“No.”

“Boys, tell your dad what you’re doing.”

“Looking for treasure,” Tommy answered.

Brian looked back at Justin, brow raised. Justin was now laughing. “You had no idea either, did you?”

“Nope.”

Justin cackled more as he turned around. It earned him a smack on the ass. Turning back around to look at Brian he could swear he saw something close to affection in his eyes. But it was gone before he could be sure. He must have been seeing things that weren’t there.

 

 

 

The House by SLHR
Author's Notes:

I'm sorry.

 

 

“What would be your dream house?” Emmett asked.

Brian was taking a nap in his room while Justin watched the boys. At three months, Brian was finally starting to feel the effects of the pregnancy. Emmett came over to spend time with them. It was funny, Tommy wanted to be just like his Uncle Emmett. Much to Brian’s displeasure.

“It’s stupid.”

“Nothing is ever stupid, baby. Tell me.”

“It’s silly. But I always dreamed of a country manor, one with stables and a pool.”

“I always wanted to live at Tara.”

“Tara?”

“Oh, honey, please tell me you’re joking.”

Justin looked at Emmett in confusion. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“It’s the name of the plantation from Gone with the Wind.” They looked up to see Brian at the top of the steps. “Everyone knows that, Sunshine.”

Justin blushed. He wondered how much of that Brian heard.

“How are you feeling?” Justin asked.

“Like a whale.” There was a very small, almost unnoticeable outward curve to his stomach.

Justin smiled. If this was making him crazy, wait until he was close to his due. Teddy had been on bedrest for months and was the size of a planet. His last appointment they got good news though. Baby C, who they named Celeste was growing well. They said she was doing well and catching up with her brother and sister.

“Well, I guess it’s time for me to go.” Emmett stopped at the door and turned around. “Justin, I need a huge favor.”

“What? Need someone to help you fit into your girdle.”

“Sorry Brian, not everyone can have a body of a god like you.”

Justin and Brian looked at each other. They really would need to tell people about his pregnancy soon. Only Erik and Ted knew because they wanted to know who the test belonged too.

“Ha ha,” Brian said bitterly before going to the bathroom.

“What do you need, Em?”

“Well, Lindsay is in California with Sam. She asked if I could just give the house a walk through to make sure it okay for the new realtor. She tried to sell a while back but took the house off the market because she couldn’t get Mel’s signature. I guess she finally got it now. I was going to do it tomorrow but I have a meeting at the station.”

“Sure, I’ll go. Marissa is going to be in daycare for a few hours anyway.”

The next day, Justin used the key Emmett gave him to let himself into the house. His nose twitched as he entered. It was a cute house. Too small for their needs so it wasn’t an option to buy for them.

It was a little dusty from being empty for months. Thankfully, there was no furniture or items left in the house. Brian put all of Gus’ things in storage until they got a bigger place. Looking around he made sure everything was good to go. The realtor was supposed to have a cleaning crew in before she showed the place, so he didn’t have to worry about that.

The only thing that he really noticed about the place was a stench. It made the whole house reek. No wonder Lindsay didn’t want to live there. It smelled like an animal died somewhere in it.

Deciding to find the source instead of letting the cleaning crew find it, he started looking. First, he started upstairs but it wasn’t as bad up there. He looked under cabinets and behind doors. It then occurred to him that the smell could be coming from under the house.

Going outside, he found the entrance to under the house. Lindsay was going to have to owe him big for this. Getting on his hands and knees he crawled into the crawlspace. It was definitely where the smell was coming from. He dry-heaved a few times. He finally came to a large rug; it was rolled up. Strange, he thought to himself. Digging out his keys, he turned on the small pen light. It didn’t shine very well. He could barely make out something dark sticking out the end of it. Crawling closer he grabbed at it, thinking an animal crawled up in there and died. His hand came in contact with hair. His mind supplied the word before he knew it. It was hair-short, brown hair. Human hair. His hand brushed something that was fleshy under the hair.

The smell that he had been trying to convince himself was a dead animal-wasn’t. It was a person. A person with dark hair.

He scrambled back, quickly crawling out. Just as he made it out of the crawlspace, he threw up. Still on his hands and knees he started to cry. Nothing was making any sense. But he knew what he had to do. Pulling out his phone he called the police.

After that, he stumbled to the front steps and sat down. His clothes were dirty from the crawlspace but all he could do was think about the hair and scalp that he touched. That was what it was, a scalp. His stomach turned once again and threw up, this time beside the steps.

Seconds past turning into minutes. Nothing mattered, all that did was who was in that rug. A little part of his brain that had given up fighting the truth whispered the name he didn’t want to believe. Melanie. No one had seen her in months. She hadn’t even called Gus. Her mother hadn’t heard from her. Was she under the house the whole time? Why hadn’t neighbors complained about the smell? What had happened to her? Did Lindsay know?

That was the question that kept coming back to him. Did Lindsay know?

Lindsay by SLHR

 

 

 

 

Lindsay knew what she had to do. She had been putting it off for months. The need to be punished for her crime was weighing on her. It was her fault Melanie was gone. Her beautiful Melanie. It was an accident, but that didn’t matter. Because it was still her fault.

They were yelling at each other at the top of the stairs. She was begging Melanie not to leave her. It had been a mistake sleeping with Sam, she knew that now. But it had been so hard to even talk to Melanie at the time. There was so much happening and she felt very lonely. Brian was dealing with Justin, who had just shown back up. Michael was acting odd at the time. Then there was Melanie. She was on Lindsay to have another baby, that wasn’t going to happen. She loved Gus but didn’t see herself popping out kid after kid.

They were arguing, then before she knew it, Melanie was falling down the stairs. She flew down the stairs to help her wife, but Mel’s head and neck were in an odd angle.

It was then Sam made his presence known. He had just seen the last bit. The part where Lindsay had shoved Mel away from her. She didn’t push her down the stairs, but she had fallen because she shoved her.

Sam had taken over after that. Someone was always looking after her. First it was her parents, then in college it was Brian. After that it was Melanie. Never in her life had she been all on her own, she didn’t know how to do it. So when Sam instructed her what to do she did it.

After Sam rolled Melanie up and put her in the crawlspace, they left. She called everyone and made sure they knew that Mel left her. When Brian found out she was living in the hotel with Sam, he sought custody. She only fought enough to make sure no one got suspicious.

When the shock finally wore off, and the medication that Sam was shoving down her throat stopped working, she knew she needed to confess. But when she told Sam he said that she would be put away for life. He told her that if she left him, he would tell them what he saw. That she had shoved Melanie down the stairs. That it wouldn’t be a manslaughter charge but murder. She wouldn’t ever get out of prison, he promised that.

After that she couldn’t even look her child in the eye. He was asking where his mama was, she couldn’t take it. Then after the party where Ted and Erik shared their good news, she just couldn’t lie to them anymore. It was soon after that Sam and her went to California.

Yesterday, she had asked Emmett to check the house. She wasn’t stupid, no matter what people thought. The unusually long winter had finally given way to spring. Melanie would be making her presence known. Her beautiful, loving, strong wife. She decided to have Emmett go and make the discovery. She felt bad about having Emmett do the dirty work but she wanted Melanie treated with respect. If one of those real estate people found her they may take pictures of her before calling the police. She couldn’t risk that. It was the last thing she could do for her wife.

The phone rang drawing her attention back to it. With shaky hands she reached for it, then put it up to her ear.

“Hello,” she said quietly.

“Lindsay, it’s time to come back home,” Carl said, voice strong and calm.

“Yes, I know.”

“I’ll meet you at the airport. If you fly back on your own, we can question you.”

“Yes.”

“I booked you on the last flight of the day to Pittsburgh. It leaves in two hours.”

“Okay.”

“You will come, right? This doesn’t have to be harder than it has to be.”

“I killed my wife. I need to be punished.”

She could hear a choke on the other end. Apparently, Carl didn’t really think she had done it.

“Fuck,” Carl said.

“What?” she was confused.

“I have to call San Diego police now. You made a confession to killing Melanie. They are going to come and arrest you, if you don’t fight extradition it will pass much faster.”

“Oh, ok. I’ll wait for the police then.” She told him where she was, glad that Sam was going to be at the gallery until late.”

“Just stay there, I’ll call Brian. Don’t talk to anyone until you get a lawyer. They’ll fly you back as long as you don’t fight it.”

“What? Shouldn’t you be on the police side?” She was a bit confused.

“Yes, but I can’t let you go in blind either. Debbie hired you a lawyer for you. She should be there soon.”

“Debbie?”

“Well, Debbie, Emmett and Ben got the money up quickly to put her on retainer.”

“What about Brian?” She was sure Brian would call her, or at least do something.

“Brian’s at the hospital with Justin.”

“Justin? What’s wrong with Justin?”

“Hon, Emmett asked Justin to check the house out. Justin is the one that found Melanie under the house.”

“Oh, god.” There was a reason she wanted Emmett to find Mel. Emmett may be a loud flamboyant man but he was so damn strong. It would take more than this to break him. She could never as Teddy to do it, he loved Mel almost as much as she did. Brian’s just one shock away from falling over the edge. Debbie and Ben were out of the question, not with everything going on with Michael. But she never considered Justin. She barely knew him and he knew Mel less. A small part of her was upset because she wanted Mel to be with friends, it was crazy since she killed her. She was the one that let Sam put her under the house, where she was alone. Maybe she should just end it all. Then maybe she’d be with Melanie again.

She looked at the medication that Sam was always giving her. Just one pill was very strong. She picked up the brown bottle. She could be with Melanie again with the swallow of these pills.

Opening the bottle, she tilted the bottle and let the pills slid into her hand. There had to be at least twenty pills left. Before she could talk herself out of it she grabbed a water bottle from the fridge. One by one she swallowed each pill. There had been twenty-two. She locked the deadbolt in the hotel and went to lay down.

I’m coming home, love.


Brian had just gotten everyone settled at home. Justin was sleeping on his bed. The boys were on each side of him. They hadn’t told the boys what had happened. It was going to be hard on Gus. He wanted to know the full story before he told him.

Marissa started whimpering in her swing. It was the one that he kept in his loft. Since they decided to live together they had gotten more comfortable bringing things to each other’s places. He picked her up and started pacing the floor with her. He made her bottle, pretty good with only one hand. Once that was done he popped it in her mouth and she started drinking.

Mel’s face kept popping into his mind. How could Lindsay kill her. He almost called Carl a liar when he said such a thing. But it had to be true, until it was that boyfriend of hers. It didn’t make any sense why she stayed with him though. None of it did.

Damnit Mel, why did you have to go and fucking die. I hope you know Ted went into early labor after hearing the news. The two bigger babies they think are going to be okay, but the little one is probably not going to make it. This is all your fault.

After he raged in his head to a dead, murder victim he knew it was time to get drunk. Unfortunately, he couldn’t because of the baby he now carried.

What had happened to his two best friends? First Michael went off the deep end, and now Lindsay killed her wife. What was going to happen next? Ted robbing a bank? Debbie stripping? Justin dating a serial killer? What a minute, he’s still married to one…well not anymore but that’s not the point. In fact, he didn’t like the thought of Justin with anyone else. But that little tidbit wasn’t getting out, he could keep a secret.   

 

The Storm before the Storm. by SLHR
Author's Notes:

Okay. I've been struggling with this chapter. Yesterday when everything was bleak I decided to try again. Rereading I realized I messed up. JR was mention several times but then her existance disappeared. So hopefully you will forgive me for my mess up. This hopefully fixes it. Also, I was in a pretty dark place yesterday like many of us.

 

 

“Where is J.R.?” Debbie was losing her mind with worry.

For the last few months Lindsay had told everyone that J.R. was with Mel. Now they all knew that wasn’t true. They had no idea where she was. Lindsay was now in a coma from her suicide attempt. She had been lying to Debbie for ages, but she had believed the lies. They had no reason to disbelieve her. Now Jenny Rebecca was missing and everyone was going crazy.

“Calm down, love. We have everyone looking for her. I’ve called Melanie’s mother to make sure none of her family has her. They don’t. I don’t believe Lindsay would have hurt her own daughter.”

“The Lindsay I knew wouldn’t have killed Melanie either. Oh, god. Carl where is my baby?”

“I wish I knew. Brian is flying to California in the morning. Hopefully by the time she wakes up, he’ll be there. The police there said they would allow him to talk to her. And she’s got that lawyer you hired.”

“I only hired the lawyer when I thought it wasn’t Mel. I thought she was off with Jenny Rebecca, away from all this craziness. What if she hurt my baby?”

“Don’t think like that.”

 


 

Justin couldn’t make himself get out of bed. He tried to talk himself out of it but it was useless. Brian was gone to see Lindsay. Debbie and Carl were looking for J.R. Emmett was trying to be there for Erik and Ted. That left Justin alone with three children and the will to do nothing. Before Brian left he had placed Marissa on the bed with him. He could hear the boys playing in the living room. Every time he closed his eyes he saw her there again, wrapped in that rug. How could Lindsay do that to her? He didn’t want to believe it when Brian told him that she confessed to Carl before taking the pills.

“Pa, I’m hungry,” Tommy whined as he climbed on the end of Brian’s bed.

“Didn’t Daddy just feed you before he left?”

“That was hours ago,” Gus said from the doorway.

Looking at his clock, he saw they were right. Brian had fed all three kids before he left at noon. It was past seven now. Marissa had been sleeping since he left. Guilt ate at him at that moment. Brian was the pregnant one, he was Lindsay’s friend. All this stuff was piling on Brian, and Justin was the one falling apart. Sure, the scene was horrible. Finding her body was terrifying but it was no excuse to neglect the kids. More guilt ate at him when he wondered where Jenny Rebecca was. He had only met her a few times but she was a lovely baby. What was going on with the world?

“What do you two what for dinner?” he asked as he stood up out of bed. It was a mistake because it reminded him how much he needed to use the restroom. “You two watch the baby while I run to the restroom.”

He ran to the restroom quickly to relieve his bladder. Just as he was washing his hands he heard a thump and loud wail.

Back in the bedroom both boys were standing over the baby, who was now on the hard wood floor. He grabbed her off the ground and started looking for injuries, he couldn’t find any. She was still wailing loudly. He was worried her head had hit the floor or a bone broke in the fall. “I asked you to watch her.”

“We did. We watched her rollover and fall on the floor,” Tommy said innocently. He knew it wasn’t their fault, it was his. He should have put her in her crib before going to the restroom.

“Let’s go, we have to go to the hospital,” he said, slipping on his shoes. He was still in his night clothes but he couldn’t wait.

Justin made the boys grab their shoes on their way out. He had the boys put their shoes on in the car. The baby cried the whole trip, for that he was glad because he knew she was breathing.

As he pulled into the emergency room parking lot, he was freaking out. The boys followed him as he practically ran for the entrance. He ran up to the intake nurse, looking back making sure both boys were still with him.

“Excuse me, my daughter fell off the bed. She hasn’t stopped screaming since. I just left her for a minute. I don’t know if she hit her head. Please.”

“Alright, sir, please take a seat. Someone will be out in a minute.”

It felt like forever for the nurse to come out. She took Marissa, when he went to follow he was stopped. “I’m sorry, sir. But if they’re not patients they can’t go in.” Pointing to the boys.

“But my daughter is in there. I have to be with her.”

“Maybe you can call a family member or friend to watch them.”

“I don’t have anyone,” he said sadly.

They had moved Ted and the kids to a hospital that specialized in neonatal. That meant there was no one in this hospital or near it. He only had one option. He was still on a shaky Sunday phone calls and a lunch once or twice.

“Can I use the phone? I didn’t bring mine.” He hadn’t even thought of it.

“Sure, hon.”

Justin prayed he got the number right. He always made it common practice to remember people’s numbers.

The call was answered on the third ring. “Hello.”

“Mom.”

“Justin, what a lovely surprise. I haven’t heard from you in a while.”

“Can you come to Alleghany General? Marissa fell off the bed, I have the boys with me. Please?”

“Of course, dear. I’m on my way right now.”

“Thanks.”

As he waited, he filled out paperwork for the intake nurse. The boys eating candy one of the receptionist gave them. Just before he finished, he saw something that scared him. Two cops and a man in khakis and a pinstriped shirted walked in. After talking to the nurse, she pointed to him.

“Excuse me. Mr. Taylor? We need to ask you a few questions.”

 


 

Brian sat in the uncomfortable chair beside Lindsay’s bed. She was still in her coma. They didn’t know if she would wake up. It was a damned epidemic. First Ted’s coma, then Justin now Lindsay. What the fuck? Why couldn’t they just wake up when they were yelled at?

“Linds, what the hell did you do? I know Mel was a pill but really what the fuck? And where is Jenny Rebecca?” Her silent form answered no questions.

It was going to be a long night. Just as he flipped through the tv stations, ignoring the cops guarding her door, his phone rang. He didn’t recognize the number.

“What?” he snapped at whoever was calling.

“Mr. Kinney?” a harsh male voice asked.

“Yes.”

“I’m Officer Trevor Logan. We’ve arrested the father of one Marissa Taylor for child neglect. He was in presence of two other minor children. Gus Marcus-Peterson and Thomas Kinney. I was told by Mr. Taylor that you are the father of the two minor boys.”

“Yes, I am. Where are they?”

“Thomas Kinney was allowed to go home with Jennifer Taylor, but because she has no relation to Gus, we couldn’t let her take him.”

“Who are you? Call Detective Carl Horvath, I give my permission for him to take Gus.”

“I’m sorry sir, but we tried to call you before. When you didn’t answer, we contacted the boy’s grandparents. They picked him up a few hours ago.”

For once is his life he hoped that his drunk mother had his child. If she had him, it would be easy to get him back. “Who, my mother?”

“I’m sorry, we tried her first but reached Mr. and Mrs. Peterson.”

“Fuck! Where is Justin?”

“Mr. Taylor is being kept until he goes before the judge. That could be as late as Tuesday.”

This wasn’t happening, this couldn’t be happening. “What a minute, you said this was a child neglect charge because of Marissa. Where is Marissa?”

“I’m sorry I can’t give out that information. Only the information about your children.”

“The fuck you can’t.” He hung up the phone and quickly dialed Carl.

 


 

Debbie was cooking, it always took her mind off things. Her nerves were so jittery she almost dropped the alfredo sauce. Carl was due at any moment. He had taken personal time off looking for Jenny Rebecca. That morning he had even gone to see if Lindsay left her with her parents. It was a long shot but they said they hadn’t seen Lindsay in months. When Carl asked them if they were going over to help Lindsay, they just said she made her bed she could lie in it.

The time for Carl to be home came and went. One hour became two. She put the food up a while back. His phone was going straight to voicemail. Terrible things started to run through her head. Things like him finding Jenny Rebecca but she wasn’t alive. She couldn’t bear the thought. How would she tell Michael? He was finally getting healthy again, David was sending positive news every week.

Her wall phone rang, bringing her out of her bad thoughts.

“Carl?” she asked, worriedly.

“No, it’s me.”

“Brian, how is Lindsay? Did she wake up? Did she tell you where Jenny Rebecca is?”

“No. I’m at the airport, Lindsay is the least of my concerns. I was called earlier; Justin’s been arrested for child neglect. Marissa is in the hospital. Justin’s mom has Tommy but it seems Lindsay’s parents have Gus. I need to get Gus from them, I don’t expect any trouble from Justin’s mom. In fact, I already called her. But Lindsay’s parents told me that they were suing for custody. I sent Carl over there because he is in my sole custody. I haven’t heard from him though; his phone keeps going to voicemail. The first flight isn’t until tomorrow morning. I need to find out what’s going on.”

This wasn’t what she was expecting. What was going on with the world? Michael losing his sanity. Lindsay killing Melanie. Justin arrested for child neglect. Teddy’s babies were sick, and they didn’t know if little Carlotta would make it. Everything had just gone to hell.

Keys rattled in the lock before the door opened. Debbie watched as Gus walked through. Her heart leapt in her throat when Carl walked in, holding Jenny Rebecca. Not wasting a moment, she pulled her granddaughter into her arms, smothering her with kisses.

“I’m hungry,” Gus said, opening her refrigerator. Much like his father when he was young, she had an open fridge policy. Most of the time eating at her house was the only time he would eat if it wasn’t a school day.

“I’ll make you something warm,” she told them all.

“You don’t have to, dear,” Carl started to say.

“Of course I do. My baby is home, and so is my Gussy.” She then noticed the phone hanging limply from the wall. “Oh, Brian was on the phone.” Grabbing it she picked it back up. “Brian are you still there?”

“Yes, did I hear Gus?”

“Yes, Carl just came back with Gus and Jenny Rebecca.”

“Jenny Rebecca, how?”

“I don’t know, let me talk to Carl then I will call you back.”

Carl held Jenny Rebecca while she warmed up dinner. She was glad she made so much because Gus ate two heaping helpings.

“Is Rissa okay?” Gus asked.

“Yes, Marissa is just fine. She has bump on her head but the doctor says she’ll be perfectly fine. Tommy’s grandmother is bringing him over tomorrow and then she’ll go to the hospital. Your dad is on his way back from his trip, he’ll be back tomorrow too.”

“Where did he go? Is mommy still sick?”

That surprised both of them. No one had told him about his mothers. “Who told you that your mommy was sick?”

“Mommy’s mommy. She said that she was sick, that’s why she married mama. Then that sickness got worse and she killed mama. I told them it’s okay though. Mama and mommy always fight, but they make up and we get ice cream.”

“I’m sorry baby, your mama isn’t come back home,” Deb said sadly.

“Deb, shouldn’t we wait for Brian?”

“He had his chance, Gus has the right to know.”

“’Cause mama fell down the stairs.”

They froze, they had assumed Gus was asleep or at Brian’s when Lindsay killed Mel.

“What do you mean?” Carl asked gently.

“Mama and Mommy were fighting, Mama turned to go down the stairs, but Mommy pushed her. I got scared because Mama screamed but then got real quiet. Dad came the next day, Mommy said that Mama left. But she wouldn’t, she was taking me and J.R. with her.”

Debbie gasped. “Carl, where did you find Jenny Rebecca?”

“She was at the Petersons. It seems that after Mel’s accident, she took Jenny over to her parents. They had their maid taking care of her. I was able to get it out of them that she had confessed what she had done. They told her to try and work it would with Sam. I don’t know what they were planning to do with Jenny, but it was clear they weren’t keeping her. I wouldn’t have known at all if Gus hadn’t seen her. When I got, him he told me about her.”

Tears started to fall down her face. She had been blind when it came to her son’s faults but this? It was insane.

“What about Sunshine?” she asked suddenly.

“I can’t do anything. It would be tampering with an investigation. Brian is going to get him a lawyer when he gets in.”

It felt like the world was topsy-turvy. What would tomorrow bring?

 

 

 

Wide Awake by SLHR
Author's Notes:

I hope this clears some things up.

 

 

Justin sat in the holding cell, wondering what the hell had happened. One minute, he as in the emergency room waiting area, the next he was in the back of a police car. He couldn’t believe how the day had turned out so messed up. Babies have accidents all the time. Everything he was supposed to do, he had done. It was a mistake leaving her on the bed, but this was extreme. Not only that, he still didn’t know how she was doing.

“Mr. Taylor,” a harsh voice said.

A sigh escaped him. Officer Logan gave him the creeps. Just something about the man that weirded him out. It wasn’t so much his smarmy smile or greased back hair. No…it was something much deeper. Like they man was ready to kill him at any moment.

“Please, how are my kids?” he begged.

Gus and Tommy had been holding on to him when the police put him in handcuffs. The nurse tried to intervene, demanding to know who called them. As he was leaving, he realized it that not been the hospital staff who called. But if they hadn’t, who had?

The answer was soon obvious as a face from his past walked in.

“Dad?”, he asked as he watched his father follow Officer Logan in.

“Justin, it’s good to see you again.”

Justin looked around at the other men in the cell with him. He wondered if his dad had fantasied about this moment. Seeing his face, he sure he had, dreams did come true. His father was absolutely giddy.

“I’m sure, it is.”

“True, but I didn’t expect you and Maxwell to play so easily into my hand.”

Officer Logan unlocked the cell, ordering him out. Stunned that his father was somehow involved his arrest, he numbly followed orders. The burly police officer grabbed him and led him out of the room. He thought it was about his going before the judge, but it wasn’t. He knew that as soon as he was tossed into the back of a van. ‘Not again’ was his last thought before the door shut.


Jennifer walked into the hospital after dropping her grandson, Tommy, off with Debbie. She hadn’t wanted to leave the night before, but the cops taking Justin talked about putting Tommy into care if she refused to leave. It all sounded very wrong but she was taught to respect cops, that they were always right. Now though in the light of day, without the screaming and intimidation, it didn’t make any sense.

“Excuse me, I’m here to see my granddaughter.” Her voice was a little rough, she had spent most of the night trying to calm down a child she had only seen a few times in a year. He had only calmed down once Brian promised him that he was coming home today.

“Name?”  

“Marissa Taylor.”

The woman typed into her computer. “I’m sorry, Marissa Taylor checked out this morning at six.”

“She checked out? She’s six months old.” What kind of place were they running here? They must have mixed her up with someone else.

“Her grandfather, Craig Taylor, checked her out.”

“Oh, God,” she whispered. This couldn’t be happening; her ex was sorry excuse for a father. The only time he even remembered his children was when it fit into his plans.


Something had been bothering Carl all night. When he asked to see Justin’s file, he was told he was interfering. That had never happened before, he was the most senior detective there after all. Then when he asked to see Justin, they told him he couldn’t because he was on personal time. In fact, Officers Logan and Terrell wouldn’t let him talk to anyone else. At the time, his mind was mostly on Jenny Rebecca, Deb was beside herself. Something just felt wrong now that he thought about it.

Not only that, but Gus had told them what really happened. The way Logan explained it was that they baby had been left alone for hours on the bed, with a dirty diaper that had put a sever rash on her bottom. But after talking to Brian the night before there wouldn’t be enough time. He fed and changed her before he left at noon. Jennifer was called by Justin at a half past seven.

Something was fishy was definitely going on. He needed to get to the bottom of it. He didn’t know Justin from Adam really, but Brian was sure there had to be something else going on.

“I’m looking for Justin Taylor,” Carl said to Trina, the desk sergeant.

“Who?”

“Justin Taylor, he was arrested last night for child neglect.”

“Sorry, Carl, I just entered in all last night’s arrests. No Justin Taylor.”

“That can’t be right, I talked to Logan and Terrell last night. He was brought in; I know he was.”

“Strange,” she said before her face lit up. “Oh, Logan and Terrell? You didn’t hear?” she asked, eyes giddy with excitement.

Police stations were worse than beauty parlors when it came to gossip. Especially, if it was something bad, and something about someone they didn’t like. No one liked Terrell and they just plain hated Logan. Logan was always too handsy with the women in the station, Terrell was just an asshole. They both had a few marks against them already, whatever the new story was probably wouldn’t be very hard to believe.

“No, what?” He had only run into them outside the station. Hadn’t been in the station for two days. Both men had been acting a little odd, but, when weren’t they?

“They up and resigned last night. Both of them, can you believe that? Rodriguez said they probably left their wives and ran away together.” she tittered.

“What time?” He had run into them at nine, about an hour after Jennifer said they left with him.

“Eight last night. They came in this morning to release some kid that was out drinking late, his dad asked them to teach him a lesson.”

“What did this kid look like?” he asked, a sinking feeling in his gut that he already knew.

“White boy. Shaggy blonde hair, average height.”

Inwardly, he cursed. “And Logan and Terrell took him?”

“No, his dad. Tall, gray haired guy. I heard the boy call him dad, so it had to be true. Why? Something off?”


“Sign the paper and you’ll be released” his father said, shoving a stack of papers at him.

“What is this?” He couldn’t see what the papers said in the darkness of the van. His dad had a flashlight on the spot where he was supposed to sign.

“Just you giving up all rights to the baby, and giving me sole guardianship.”

“What? You’re insane. I’m not giving up my baby, and definitely not to you. Why do you even want her? You never cared about me or Molly.”

“You and Molly didn’t have half a multimillion dollar company.”

“What are you talking about?” Justin thought for a second. “Oh, you thought you could get her and have Maxwell’s stake in his company. You are insane if you think a paper that hasn’t been notarized or looked after by a lawyer would be the worth paper it’s written on.”

The door in the van opened, letting in some light from the overcast day they were having. It also revealed a new player in this game. One that he was quite familiar with.

“You have to be joking,” he said, looking between his father and ex-sister-in-law.

“Did he sign the papers?” she asked, ignoring him.

Gemma Venn was younger than her brother Maxwell. Justin had never liked the woman because she treated Tommy just as bad as Maxwell did. The only time she seemed to even notice or pay attention to her children was to when Tommy was around. It made him feel bad for them, a few days after his divorce went through he found out Gemma’s husband committed suicide, leaving them with just her.

“No, he’s being a brat…like usual.”

“What do you want with her? You don’t even like being around your own children.”

“Maxwell was so easy to play. Put something young and pretty in front of him and he goes for it.”

Things started to fall into place for him. It all seemed too Twilight Zone to him though. His father and Gemma had set this whole thing up, right from the very beginning. He wondered if he was already promised to Maxwell before he found out he was pregnant with Tommy.

“How long? How long ago did you sell me?” he snapped at his father.

“Don’t be so melodramatic. All I did was fix a problem. You were pregnant and unmarried. I set up a marriage. If by chance, I already knew about his unfortunate previous spouses, so what. I’ve known Gemma a long time, it seems she was tired of her brother throwing away what their father worked his whole life for. It’s simple really, I was promised a large incentive to help push things along.”

Gemma giggled, an honest to God giggle. “My poor brother really couldn’t help himself. I’m truly sorry your son was hurt, and that you lost the one baby. None of that was planned. He fired the maid I had paid to keep me in the know. I didn’t learn about your second pregnancy until it was too late. But you didn’t need us, you got Tommy and yourself out. Then gave birth to Marissa.”

None of this made any sense to him. “I don’t understand. Maxwell is never getting out of prison. Why all this cloak and dagger stuff?”

“Well, first my dear brother didn’t read the fine print in Daddy’s will. He would lose everything if he was convicted of a felony. Daddy always knew something was off about him. Will said that if Max had any children a portion of his share of the company would go to them. But he missed the part that said if he was convicted of a felony, his child or children would get his whole share. So now, Marissa owns fifty percent share of a multimillion dollar company.”

“I don’t understand, she’s just a baby. Doesn’t that mean someone will take over for her until she’s old enough?”

“Catching on, my boy. That’s why I need her. Taylor Electronics is in the red. But if I infuse it with money from Stevens Plastics, I can take both into the billions.”

Justin shook his head in the dim van. The only light now was from the flashlight and a light streaming in from the open door. “You want my daughter so you can have her share of a company?” Why did it even surprise him? “What do you get from this?” he asked Gemma.

“God, you really are stupid. I get total control of the company.”

“How?” The math wasn’t working out like they were saying. Not unless… “You two are together, aren’t you?”

“Finally figured it out? Good for you.”

“Well, I’m not signing anything. If you kill me Marissa will go to Mom. I’ve already saw the lawyer and signed the papers,” he lied.

“Shit!” his father cursed. “What do we do now?”

“He’s lying,” Gemma said.

“Good luck with chance,” he said, hoping she would believe it. “Listen, I think I can solve everyone’s problem here.”

“How?”

“Well, if we can get Maxwell to give up his rights to Marissa. I can have my fiancé adopt her. She would be a Kinney. The share would revert back to you, right?” He hoped Brian would forgive him for this fib, the funny thing is he knew Brian would adopt her. Even if it was just to get her away from all these psychopaths. He also had no idea if that was even possible for the law to work that way, it was worth a shot though.

“Would that work?” Craig asked Gemma.

“I think so, it just says any children. If she wasn’t legally his child anymore the company would my mine and my kids.”

“Mine too, right?” Craig asked a little uneasily.

“About that, well…I don’t need you anymore. Sorry.” She then looked at Justin. “So we have a deal? You have her adopted by who-the-fuck-ever and I get my company back.”

“Deal. I don’t want to see any of you ever again though. That includes you, Craig. And make sure to call off your cops.”

“They already got their money, they’re probably already on a plane now out of the country. Leaving their wives and running away together, how quint.”

She held out her hand for Justin to grab. He grabbed it tentatively and she yanked him out of the van. His dad was bitching but didn’t stop them after she glared at him.

“You can’t just leave me,” he dad whined.

“Sorry Craig, it’s not you really. It’s just the thought of you touching me again makes my skin crawl and want to vomit. Have a nice day.”

“How did you know about the accident though?” he asked.

“Cameras. You might want to get rid of them,” she laughed.

“Wait…how did you get cameras in Brian’s loft?”

“Oh that, they’ve been there a long time. That friend…what was his name? Oh, yes. Michael. He installed them for us. Months and months ago, right after you moved in the building.”

When she offered Justin a ride he declined, he didn’t trust her. “Are you sure? I have someone in my car I think you want to see.”

As he walked to the car he could hear his dad speeding off in the van. Once he was beside the driver’s side backseat he saw her. Sleeping under a pink baby blanket, in a car seat that wasn’t hers.

“Marissa!” he yelled before trying to open the door. It took a Gemma a second to unlock the door. He didn’t waste any time pulling her out.

“I’ll walk,” he told the woman, not even looking. He headed down the sidewalk with Marissa in his arms. He had the blanket wrapped around her.

“Remember our deal,” she called out.

“I’ll remember.” He didn’t care about the money, he hoped Marissa wouldn’t either. All he wanted was for these people to be out of his life. He headed towards the city.


Erik placed a kiss on Teddy’s head before going back to the NICU. Arial Jane and Bradley Phillip were doing so well. But their little Carlotta Victorine wasn’t doing so well. Carlotta meaning Strong one in Italy seemed fitting. Ted chose Victorine, it meaning brave but also because of Erik’s father. While he had never known him, he loved to hear stories from his aunt and all Vic’s friends. He just wished he knew more about what had happened to his birth father.

He didn’t know what he would do if Carlotta died. It would feel like losing a part of them. She was so much smaller and more fragile than the others. He and Teddy had gotten to hold Arial and Bradley, but they couldn’t risk taking Carlotta out of chamber.  


It had been five months of intense physical therapy, but he was finally able to get around by himself. Yes, he still had to use a walker but building back muscle tissue was no easy feat. His parents had come to see him once since he awoke. They told him about everything that happened. He was an old man now, a lifetime had passed him by. They told him about his attack, losing the baby. He cried for hours. It broke his heart when they told him that Vic didn’t want anything to do with him after the baby was gone. But he didn’t blame him, Vic would have spent thirty years sitting by his bed waiting for him to wake up. That was no life to live. He hoped he had more children, found someone to love him. It still surprised him that he was in under a false name in the place. His mother explained they were scared his attackers would come and finish the job. Surely, after thirty years they would give up though.

When he told his parents, he wasn’t moving back in with them they left. He was fifty for crying out loud. It was a long shot but he hoped to find the only other one cared about him. He hadn’t seen her since they were barely nineteen but she would tell him what happened while he was sleeping.

“I called a cab for you Mr. Winters. I also looked up that woman, you’re lucky. She does live in Pittsburgh, on Liberty Avenue,” the kind orderly said.

Phillip had to laugh, of course Debbie came back home to Pittsburgh. He wasn’t surprised in the least that she moved to Liberty Avenue. He wondered if it was still where the gays went to be safe. There were only a few places that didn’t judge them and they were all on Liberty Avenue.

He was glad that the staff had gotten him some new clothes. That meant he wouldn’t have to meet Debbie for the first time in thirty years wearing a hospital gown or scrubs. He hoped she knew where the baby was buried, he wanted to see his last resting place. His parents had been less than helpful, but they were in their eighties now.

“Thank you,” he said the woman before getting to his feet.


 

Lindsay woke up to her sister calling her name. It all was very foggy. Finally, when her head cleared everything came back to her. Mel’s death, the police and her suicide attempt. Her sister was pushed aside and two women in suits started asking her questions. They turned out to be police, they explained that as soon as she was healthy enough to be discharged, she would be flown back to Pittsburgh. There she would stand trial in her wife’s death.

 

Past Forward by SLHR

 

 

 

 

Carl was playing peek-a-boo with J.R. when someone knocked on the door. It wasn’t unusual for one of Deb’s boys to show up at any time, night or day. Although, she was at the hospital trying to get Ted to eat and Erik to sleep.

“Want to see whole at the door?” Carl asked the giggling baby. She babbled so he took that as an affirmative. He hoisted her up on his hip and walked to the door.

When he opened the door, he was greeted by a man that looked like he was in his early forties, if that. He was leaning heavily on a cane, but trying to stand up straight. Debbie and her lost boys.

“May I help you?” he asked.

“I’m looking for Deborah Grassi Novotny.”

Something seemed off about the man, and it wasn’t the walking cane he had a death grip on.

“Deb’s out right now. I’m her husband, Detective Carl Horvath.”

The man’s eyes widened. “Debbie married the fuzz? Times, they are a changin’.”

“And who are you?”

“Phillip Winters, I knew Debbie and her brother once upon a time.”

Carl narrowed his eyes. Debbie had told him all about Phillip and Vic. But most he remembered was that Philip had died.

“Listen, pal, I don’t know who you really are but pretending to be her dead brother’s deceased lover is pretty low.”

“Vic’s dead?” Carl watched as the man wavered and almost fell back. He would have too, if that hadn’t been the moment Brian came up behind him.

Brian helped Carl get the weak man to the couch. Carl sat J.R. on the floor so he could get the man some water. He no longer thought the man was playing a crude joke, but he had no idea what was going on.


Debbie wiped the streak of tears away as she left the hospital. The doctors had just told Ted and Erik that Carlotta wasn’t getting any stronger. Ariel and Bradley could go home in a few weeks, but Carlotta would probably spend her entire short life there. Teddy had broken down and Debbie knew they wanted to be alone with their children.

As she drove home she couldn’t help but feel on edge. She told herself it was worry because of the baby. But there was a little part of her that didn’t think that’s true.

When she pulled up to a space in front of her house she noticed several cars. Brian’s car was the only one she recognized besides Carl’s.

Stepping through the door she felt like she had been transported thirty-five years back. Sitting on her couch was Phillip Winters, looking as though time hadn’t touched him with more than a light brush.

“Phil?” she asked, stunned.

The man’s head shot up and looked at her. His eyes were red, he had been crying.

“Debbie, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know,” he said.

She didn’t care how he was in front of her, just that he was. For years, she had the guilt of his death on her hands, now he was here. Living and breathing. He stood on shaky legs but that didn’t stop her. She wrapped him up in tight hug.

They stayed that way, hugging and crying for what seemed like hours but only a few short moments.

“Geez, Deb let the man breath,” Brian snorted.

“Shut up, asshole. I have a ghost in my house. I can act any goddamned way I want.”

After letting him go, he filled her in on what had happened on his side. Then she filled him in on Vic. It seemed Carl and Brian told him about most of it already.

“Erik is going to be so happy,” she said before remembering that Erik was in living hell right now.

Her face must had shown something.

“Deb? What’s going on at the hospital?” Carl asked.

“The doctor said Carlotta probably won’t make it out of the hospital.”

“Damnit,” Brian cursed.

“Who’s Carlotta?”

Phillip was still in shock at seeing Debbie. His heart hurt finding out that Vic died. They hadn’t told him what happened to him. He knew Vic and Debbie’s grandfather died young of a heart attack. It was probably what had happened to him. His handsome, sweet Victor. He had met Victor when he was twelve. Vic was fourteen and the best-looking boy on the block.

“Honey, I think you need to sit down,” Debbie told him.

She was so motherly now. He remembered her as a sweet innocent little hellcat. She got pregnant by the second guy she ever had sex with. Vic and he had both tried to talk her out of her obsession with the guy. Danny was still finding himself, young and trying to be something he wasn’t. He took off leaving Debbie pregnant. That was when she came to live with him and Vic in New York. When Michael was born, she starting telling everyone that his father had died in Vietnam. Even going so far as to change her name and giving Michael that name. Vic told him to leave it alone, so he did. He had just found out he was pregnant anyway. There were other things he had to deal with.

“Why?”

He wasn’t sure what was going on but even the smart ass one looked upset. It was a world he didn’t understand. The cab driver talked about things he had never heard of before. Even while he was healing and working on physical therapy he didn’t get out. His caretaker would tell him things, try to get him used to this new world. All he wanted to do was close his eyes and be back with Vic and their baby. A baby that he had lost when he was hurt. A baby he never got to see, never got to know if it was a boy or a girl. Vic was sure it was a boy. Maybe it was, he would have to talk to his parents to see where the baby was buried.

“Phil, I have some news for you and it’s going to be hard to hear.”

“No harder than finding out Vic is dead. How did he die?”

The history he was given was very basic, he wanted to know everything. Like if Vic was able to recover from losing the baby. Hopefully, went on to have a partner and family.

“His body wasn’t able to fight anymore. The virus had just taken too much out of him,” Debbie said.

“What virus?”

“AIDS,” she said sadly.

“What’s that?” he asked.

There was a look of shock that crossed all the faces of the people in the room. He didn’t know what he had said that made them look like that.

“He’s been in a coma for thirty-five years,” Debbie said finally.

He would rather say thirty, it was a nice round number, and made him fifty instead of fifty-five. But it looks like Debbie wasn’t willing to give him that.

It was then he was given a history lesson about the AIDS epidemic. He was horrified, so many deaths. His beautiful Victor ravished by this disease.

“Did he find love?” He hoped so, he wanted that for Vic. Not to be alone when he died.

“He did. It was right near the end but he found a nice man named Rodney. They were both positive, he loved him. That doesn’t mean he didn’t miss you, he did every day. I know he did.”

“I’m glad. I didn’t want him alone. When my parents told me that Vic had left after I lost the baby. All I wanted to do was tell him I understood. I didn’t want him sitting bedside for all these years and not living his life.”

“But he would have. They told us you had died. If Vic would have known that you were alive, he wouldn’t have left your side.”

“Then I glad he didn’t know. Losing the baby must have been hard on him. I’ve just been dealing with it for the last five months. He had all that time to think about it.”

“Yes, Vic died thinking the baby had died.”

“What do you mean?”

“They lied to all of us. The baby didn’t die. They raised him, they made him think you killed yourself. They told him horrible lies about his conception. But he found your letters. He read all about Vic, he found us when he was looking for Vic.”

“Wait…What? The baby…my baby is alive?” Debbie nodded her head, tears running down her face. “Where is he? I have to see him. What’s his name? Do you think he wants to meet me?”

“First, his name is Erik. Yes, I know he wants to meet you. But there is something going on right now.” She hesitated.

“Band-aid, Deb. Just rip it off,” the smart ass one said.

“Erik and his boyfriend Ted just had triples a week ago, two of the babies are doing well, but it’s not looking good for the littlest. They are at the hospital preparing for the worst,” Debbie said.

“I want to see them, please,” Philip begged. If this was the only time he would get to see one of his grandchildren, he needed it to happen soon.

“Brian, can you go prepare Erik and Ted. I don’t think they can handle much more.”

Before the smart ass one, Brian, could leave a noise filled the room. He watched as the man pulled a little black object out of his jacket. Phillip recognized it then, his doctor had one. It was a cellar phone.

“Yeah,” Brian said into the phone.

After a few moments of speaking to whoever it was, he hung up. Phillip could tell the call had surprised him.

“Who was is?” Debbie asked.

“Justin. He’s at the hospital visiting Ted and Erik. It’s Carlotta.”

Debbie gasped. “Oh, god no!”

“Calm down. They’re taking her to surgery to relieve fluid on her brain. They didn’t think she would be strong enough but Ted and Erik signed the papers giving up the chance to sue if she doesn’t make it. It looks like her only chance. If she survives, it looks like she could get better, her body was getting stronger. They misunderstood, it just wasn’t strong enough for what they needed to do. Ben’s watching the kids, he said bring J.R. over and we can all go to the hospital.”


It was finally time for Ariel and Bradley to come home. With luck Carlotta, would be able to come home in a month or so. The surgery had been hell on everyone. Ted was grateful for it though. Days after it, she started to get stronger, at a faster rate than her brother and sister. They were able to hold all of them now, even doing skin to skin contact with them.

Erik wasn’t doing great though. Ted could feel him pulling away from all of them. It started three weeks ago, when his birth father showed up. He has been led to believe his whole life the man was dead. Now here he was trying to be supportive. Erik had shut him out of his life almost from the beginning. Erik wouldn’t even allow Phillip to stay in the waiting room with them. And worse Ted could feel that Erik wanted his space now. He had even talked about getting some time to himself. Ted feared that Erik had found someone to lean on that wasn’t him, in a intiment way. He had been so wrapped up with the babies that he wasn’t that attentive to Erik. But he thought that was okay because the same could be said of Erik. The most important people right now were the babies, he thought Erik understood that. But he had noticed that one of the doctor’s spending a lot of time with Erik alone. Funnily enough, Ted couldn’t really bring himself to care enough to get angry. If Erik decided to run and start cheating when times get tough, they were better off without him. He just hoped he felt the same way if his worries became realities.

At least he had Brian and Justin…well more Justin than Brian. At the moment, Brian was going through horrible pregnancy hormones. Too make matter worse, the lawyers told them that they would let them know when they would have to give their statements to the court. Lindsay wouldn’t be getting out anytime soon, she had been denied bail. Not only did they have deal with Mel’s murder, now there was a custody suit. Lindsay’s parents were trying to prove that Brian was a unfit parent. They really didn’t have a leg to stand on, Brian had already gone through all that when fighting Lindsay for Gus, and Maxwell for Tommy.

Even with all the bad right now Ted couldn’t think life was that bad. After almost losing Carlotta, he’ll take his babies and live his life happy. He didn’t need anyone. He just hoped that Brian would have a better pregnancy than him.

 

 

 

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=142