The Naked Truth by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Justin has an idea for a new project.

Story #55 of the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 27623 Read: 9954 Published: Mar 22, 2019 Updated: Mar 22, 2019

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



The Naked Truth


Chapter 1



*****


“Well hello, beautiful!” Brian greeted the naked man with a huge grin. Justin groaned loudly as Ben turned an overall horrid shade of red, momentarily ruining Justin’s color scheme.


“Brian, if I lose my model because of you...”


“Where’s my little Mary Sunshine?” Brian teased as Ben tried to hide his hard toned body behind the hibiscus tree he was leaning on.


“Right now I’m little-Mary-go-fuck-yourself. Brian, I’m trying to work, here.”


“And I love watching the great artiste at work,” Brian drawled.


“You’re having way too much fun at Ben’s expense,” Justin hissed at his incorrigible spouse. “Please, Bri, I love you but go away.”


“Justin, I think I’m done for today. I’m beginning to feel a little uncomfortable,” Ben worked up the courage to say.


“No, wait!” Justin pleaded. “We’ve only just started,” he begged.


“Now, now Professor, let’s not be too hasty,” Brian said as he stepped closer to the naked muscle man, dragging his wife-beater over his head. Brian toed off his sneakers then dropped his cut offs.


“B-Brian, what are you doing?” Ben stuttered.


“Making you feel more comfortable,” Brian purred from the other side of the hibiscus. He held Ben’s gaze with a sultry look. Ben could not help staring into the searing hazel eyes.


Justin was seething until the contrast between the two equally stunning men began to fascinate him. He didn’t realize he was staring at them until Brian spoke sotto voce.


“Draw,” Brian commanded in a low whisper.


“Hmmm?”


“Draw,” Brian repeated.


Justin, spurred into life, began to furiously draw his model.



*****



“When do you go back to school?” Mel asked Gus as he was stirring a pot of Debbie’s homemade tomato sauce. Ray had flown back to New York, leaving Gus all alone in the loft on Tremont Street. Gus had invited his mother to dinner. Fortunately, Gus knew how to make spaghetti and had plenty of Deb’s tomato sauce in the freezer.


“I’m already pre-registered but I have to get there early to set up my apartment,” Gus explained as he dipped a spoon into the pot then gingerly tasted the sauce to see if it was hot enough.


“When did you learn to cook?” Mel asked, impressed at her son’s ease at the stove.


“Believe it or not, I don’t always eat out when I’m at school, and Pop...”


“What about him?” Melanie automatically snapped.


“He let me cook a lot this summer. I’m not as good as Justin but I do all right. I won’t starve.”


“Hmm,” Mel snorted. “Uh, dishes?” Mel offered to set the table. Gus pointed to one of the cabinets, and Mel took out a couple of plates.


“Shit! Are these Italian?” Gus shrugged. “And he lets you eat off these plates?”


“Mama, they’re just dishes,” Gus said, rolling his eyes as he grabbed one and plopped a load of spaghetti on it. He took the other plate and put a human sized portion on it. “You want sauce?” Gus asked as he waved a ladle in the air.


“Yes, please,” Mel replied contritely. It was all becoming a bit surreal for her, watching her son who looked so much like his father, quietly brooding at the stove while dishing up spaghetti.


“You’re staring.”


“What?”


“I said you’re staring. Do I have a booger or something hanging from my nose?” Gus brought their plates to the table then brought their salads.


“No, you’re fine. It’s just … I don’t think I ever had dinner here. I mean, I’ve been here years ago to parties but I don’t think I ever had a meal.” Mel sat at the table.


“There’s wine,” Gus offered.


“No thank you, water’s fine.”


Gus filled their glasses then sat at the table. They ate in companionable silence.


“Mama, why are you here?” Gus finally asked. “Are you going to cause trouble for mom and Uncle Michael?”


Mel grew angry. Gus could be just as brutally honest as his father. She was even more angry because Gus was right. Her intention had been to sue Lindsay and Michael for full custody, although she knew it would have been a hopeless cause. And it was two years too late for Gus. A battle was brewing in Melanie’s head.


After dinner, Melanie did the washing up while Gus dried. There were too few dishes to run the dishwasher. While Gus waited for the next plate, he flipped the switch on the coffeemaker.


“You make coffee too?”


Gus rolled his eyes again. “Well, duh. It’s not rocket science. How hard is it to put a filter in and count out scoops?”


“You’d be surprised,” Mel mumbled. “Please don’t tell me you made dessert.”


“Nope, lemon bars!” Gus laughed as he artfully arranged the infamous lemon bars on a plate. Mel smiled brightly at her son. While Gus found the dessert plates and took them and the lemon bars to the table, his mother brought the coffee.


“God, how can you eat two of them?” Mel asked as she watched the lemon bars on her son’s plate vanish. Mel cut her bar in two and began nibbling on a half.


“They’re good and I only get them while I’m here. Besides, I’ll work them off,” Gus said with a huge smile and a waggle of his eyebrows.


“Do not tell me that you’re trying to out-stud Brian!”


“Mama!” Gus yelped. “I don’t trick, and for your information, Pop hasn’t tricked in over ten years. Now, drop it,” Gus insisted.


“Fine.”


“I only meant that I have packing to do and laundry and gods forbid that I leave a speck of dust in here before I go.”


“I thought Brian has a cleaning service.”


“He does but I try not leave too much for them to clean. Pop has a thing for clean.”


“I remember.”


“Mama, are you happy?” Gus asked softly as he refreshed their coffees.


“I am!” Mel answered all too quickly. “At least I thought I was.”


“What happened?”


Melanie wanted to boast to her son that her life was perfect, but she could tell that Gus would spot the lie. “Honey, I shouldn’t talk to you about those things.”


“What things? Relationship things?” Gus asked. Mel nodded. “Mama, I don’t think you can shock or embarrass me. I grew up in a house full of women.” Gus gave his mother another ‘duh’ look and Mel chuckled.


“Yes, you did, we never really hid anything from you.”


“No, you didn’t,” Gus wrinkled up his nose. He had seen enough bras, panties, feminine hygiene products and an occasional tit to last him a lifetime.


“I...I think I made a mistake with Lorna,” Mel confided. “Not moving out there. I like it in Portland. I mean...”


“I know what you mean. It was exciting. New, but then things changed and maybe you’re not as compatible as you originally thought you were.”


“Something like that. How’d you know?”


“It’s kinda how I felt with Cole. He started out being exciting but then it grew...”


“Dangerous.”


“Yeah. He lied and tried to hurt my family.”


“And then the family helped to get the creep put away for a long time. It wasn’t your fault, Sweetheart.”


“I know that now but I didn’t for a long time. Mama, you and mom...”


“We can’t go back.”


“I wasn’t going to suggest it. I think it was a good thing that you guys split. I wished it hadn’t happened but now that it did, Mom’s a different person. She’s happier and at peace with herself.”


Mel flinched.


“I didn’t mean to hurt you.” Gus reached out for his mother’s hand. “It’s just that you were both so unhappy. Always arguing. Even though Lorna might not be the ‘one,’ you look a lot better. Not as uptight as you did a year ago.” Melanie gave Gus a small smile. “Mama, I love you but please, don’t cause trouble. JR’s so happy running the store and she’s doing great in school. And now she’s even thinking about college.”


“Really? She was so argumentative about going to college.”


“I think Uncle John had a talk with her.”


“Not your father?”


“He’s too busy trying to convince Bree NOT to go to college,” Gus laughed. “At least not yet. JR and Uncle John talk about things and she listens to him. She’s thinking about studying business.”


“Oh,” Mel sounded disappointed.


“You want her to go to law school.” Mel nodded. “Yeah, she has the head for it, but it wouldn’t make her happy.”


“Happiness isn’t everything.”


“No? But it is important to like what you do. You’re a good lawyer, Mama, and you like it. Mom’s a good artist and she knows a hell of a lot about art. The gallery is going to be hers one day.”


They sat quietly for a while.


“What’s wrong with Michael?”


“Something called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Uncle Ben said he’ll be fine, he just needs to rest and take it easy for a while.”


“But he will get better.”


“That’s what everyone is saying.”


“And Debbie?”


“What about her?”


“I bet she’s flipping out.”


“Actually, she’s behaving herself. She and Carl have been helping out at the comic book store. So she hasn’t had the time to ‘mother’ Uncle Michael. I think that’s a good thing,” Gus said with a crooked smile.


“You look so much like Brian,” Mel admitted.


“Thanks,” Gus said automatically. “You did mean that as a compliment, didn’t you?”


“You are a very handsome young man. So, yes, I meant that as a compliment.”


“It kills you to admit that my father is good looking, doesn’t it?”


“He’s...”


“Mama, whatever happened between the two of you happened a long time ago. Can’t you leave it in the past where it belongs? He doesn’t resent you like you do him. Let it go, Mama, please, before it tears you up.”


“I’ll try, Gus. I promise to try.”


“That’s all I ask. How long are you planning to stay here?” Gus changed the subject to something less volatile.


“I have an open ticket back to Portland, but I think at least until you and JR go back to school. I’d like to spend a little time with you both.”


“I want to spend some time with you too,” Gus said as he got up from his chair to give his mother a fierce hug. He broke free from the hug long enough to take his phone out of his pocket and call JR. “Hey, wanna do breakfast with Mama tomorrow morning? Yeah, we just finished dinner. Spaghetti. With Grandmaw’s sauce,” Gus said with an exasperated tone. “I did not poison your mother! Here, talk to her!” Gus shoved the phone in Mel’s hand with a huff.


“Hi, baby! I’m fine. It was good. Yes, lemon bars. We’ll pick you up around nine? Okay, sweetheart, we’ll see you then. Night. Love you, baby.”


Mel hung up then handed the phone back to Gus. She smiled lovingly at her son, who smiled brightly at her. Mel hadn’t felt this good in a hell of a long time.



*****



Brian and Bree were enjoying an early morning breakfast together. Justin was still in bed, having worn himself out with his sketching and drawing the day before. Brian had told him to catch some more shut eye for as long as he wanted.


Cheerios were the order of the day, as Bree enjoyed hers dry, while Brian sipped coffee and nibbled on a piece of toast.


“Dada,” Bree said.


Brian looked up from his paper. “Yes, Squirt.”


“Why don’t people want to go to school?”


“Who doesn’t want to go to school?” Brian asked with a frown. “You like school, don’t you?”


“Oh yes, Dada. It’s fun, and I learn lots of stuff. Soon I’m going to catch up to my Patrick. He knows everything.”


“Is that right?” Brian asked with a chuckle. “Doesn’t Patrick want to go back to school?”


“He said he would rather play baseball and stay at home.”


“Our Little Red must be growing up,” Brian said knowingly. Bobby and John would not be pleased with that attitude.


“Patrick’s all growed up,” Bree stated.


“Not quite.”


“Oh yes, Dada, he’s a big man.”


“And he told you that?”


“No, but I know.”


“Is he as big as Gus?” Brian asked wondering how Bree would answer that.


Bree frowned. “No,” she said thoughtfully. “Gus goes to university. But Patrick’s almost as big.”


“Gus likes to go to school,” Brian reminded his daughter, thinking this might be the definitive answer to Bree’s question.


“No, Dada,” his daughter said sagely. “Gus would rather be with Ray. And he says school’s hard work, and he has to do some courses he doesn’t like so much.”


“Anything worthwhile takes hard work,” Brian advised.


“And JR don’t want to go to college,” Bree added.


“She may be going to college,” Brian replied. He knew John’s talk with JR had made the girl think about the possibilities of continuing her education.


Bree shook her head. “Lots of kids at school say they don’t want to be there.”


“Where are you going with this, Squirt? Don’t you want to go to school?”


“Oh yes, Dada. I love school.”


“Then why all the questions about not going?”


“I don’t understand why people say they don’t want to go to school,” Bree said with a sigh. “I like to understand stuff.”


“Maybe they don’t find school as easy as you do,” Brian explained. “If it’s hard for them, they might not like it.”


Bree listened to that explanation and thought about it. “But I like the hard stuff, Dada.”


Brian chuckled. “That’s because you’re my daughter and you’re a very smart girl.”


Bree nodded her head in agreement. “So, if everybody was your kid, would they all like the hard stuff?”


Brian swallowed his coffee quickly before he spewed it all over his precocious daughter. “Undoubtedly,” he said, not sure how else to respond without getting into further lengthy explanations.


“Dada?” Bree continued popping another Cheerio into her mouth.


Brian groaned inwardly. Where was she going to take him this time? Her questions always got into uncharted territory that he was uncomfortable trying to explain.


“Yes, Squirt,” he said with a sigh. He set his newspaper down. It didn’t seem like he was going to get much of a chance to read it.


Bree finished chewing her Cheerio. “Can I have some milk?”


Brian chuckled. That was a relief. “Certainly you can,” Brian agreed. He stood up to go get the pitcher out of the fridge.


“Dada?”


“Yes.”


“Did you like school?”


Brian took the milk out of the fridge. He walked back to the table pondering his answer to that question. He had always found it best to tell Bree the truth, but sometimes it made things very uncomfortable when he did so. “Do you want this in your glass or on your cereal?” he asked, buying a little more time to think about his answer.


“Glass,” Bree said succinctly.


Brian poured the milk into the glass then walked back to the fridge still trying to decide how to answer Bree’s question. He returned to the table and sat down. Bree waited studying her father’s face.


“That’s a complicated question, Squirt,” Brian said gently. “Are you sure you want to hear the answer?”


“Oh yes, Dada.” She could tell something important was coming.


“Well,” Brian began, “I was always good at my schoolwork, but I didn’t particularly like school.”


“Why not?” Bree asked as she stuffed a couple of Cheerios into her mouth.


“You know Daddy and I are gay?” Bree nodded. They had had that discussion many times. “Some students weren’t very nice to gay kids … back then.” He added that last bit because he truly hoped times had changed.


“Why not?”


“I think they were a bit afraid of us. They thought we were … different.”


“But…” Bree said looking like she was contemplating a big thought. “You’re not different. You’re smarter than anybody.”


“Thanks,” Brian said with a big smile, “but being different means that you’re an outsider. You remember how it was for Ashley for a while – how some kids picked on her and called her names.”


“Bad kids,” Bree stated emphatically.


“Sometimes they’re bad, and sometimes they just don’t understand. Look at Winona.”


Bree thought about that for a moment. “Yeah, she’s not so bad.”


“Well, when you get picked on at school, you don’t much like going there.”


“Hmm,” Bree said. Brian could see the wheels turning. “Did Unca Mikey get picked on too…cause he’s gay?”


“Yes, often more than me, because he’s smaller than I am.”


Bree’s eyes got really big as she processed that information. “Dada, did you get into fights?”


“Occasionally,” he admitted.


“But you said fighting is bad,” Bree reminded him.


“Fighting is bad, but I had to learn that the hard way.” Brian got up to freshen his coffee. He wished he had told Justin to get up. He could use some help with this discussion.


“Dada?” Bree said as he sat back down. Brian felt his stomach churn. What was she going to ask now? “How many days until school starts?”


Brian breathed a sigh of relief. “Five more.”


“Can we go shopping for a new outfit for the first day of school?”


“You got new clothes with Uncle John.”


“Yeah, and they’re okay. But you pick the bestest outfits for the first day.”


Brian smiled. Now this he could handle, and that was definitely the truth. His sense of style was unparalleled. “I think that could be arranged.”

 

Bree smiled happily before she took a sip of her milk.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

The Naked Truth


Chapter 2



*****




“Hey, move your skinny ass, JR! Some of us are hungry,” Gus shouted as his sister kissed their mother at the door then hurried to the Jeep waiting at the curb. Melanie got out so that her daughter could climb up into the back while Lindsay waved and smiled serenely at them. Mel smiled and waved back.


“She does look so content,” Mel mumbled to herself.


“What’s that, Mama?” Gus asked as he put the Jeep in gear preparing to leave.


“Hmm? Oh nothing,” Mel replied. “So where should we go for breakfast?”


“The diner!” the kids shouted back.


Mel groaned. She wasn’t up for the looks she thought she was going to get at the diner. Nor was she in the mood for the inevitable horny gay men that always hung out there.


“It’ll be okay, Mama,” Gus reassured her, almost reading her mind.


“Okay, looks like I’m outvoted. Liberty Diner it is. Drive on, James,” Mel teased.


Mel was pleasantly surprised when she and her kids entered the diner. The bell chimed announcing their arrival like she remembered, the counter was there with its display of muffins and other treats, but that’s where the similarity ended. Had she been away that long? In truth she never felt that comfortable hanging out there. She was never one of the ‘guys.’


“Take any booth,” Lacy said as she passed by with an armful of pink plate specials. Gus bussed Lacy’s cheek then guided his mother and sister to a booth.


“She really did a lot of work on this place, didn’t she?” Mel said as she sat and looked around the place.


“Yeah, Pop, um...” Gus hesitated.


“It’s okay, Gus, I know your father co-signed Lacy’s loan. I just didn’t realize how many improvements Lacy made. Most of the booths were packed with young men all having fun. Mel couldn’t help sighing. So many young, happy faces just like there were when the ‘gang’ was there. One big difference was the large booth toward the back. This one was filled with young women. Some were obviously very butch, others reminded Mel of herself and Lindsay when they were younger.


“Sorry about the wait,” Lacy said with a huff. “It’s busy this morning and I’m a little short handed,” she said by way of an apology as she handed out menus. “The breakfast specials are on the board,” Lacy told them as she pointed to a large lit board over the main counter. The kids ordered the special while Mel ordered fruit, toast and coffee.


“Lace, do you need some help?” Gus offered. “I can bus some of the tables for you.”


“Could you? I feel bad asking but until my help comes in, I’m swamped.”


“No problem. Just throw me an apron and a bus box and I’m your man,” Gus said with a grin. Mel was about to protest when another large group of kids came in and sat at a booth that still had a load of dirty dishes on the table. “Mama, it’s only for a little while,” Gus said to his mother then got up to go behind the counter for his apron.


“Since when does Gus know how to bus tables?” Melanie asked not really expecting a response.


“Gus said there’s a diner not too far from campus that a lot of kids hang out at. He waits tables and buses when he can to earn some extra cash,” JR explained.


“But doesn’t his father...”


“Uncle Brian set up an account that Gus can access anytime, but he likes to earn his way when he can,” JR stated, clearly proud of her older brother and his integrity. “Gus even put away a lot of the money he earned from interning at Kinnetik so he wouldn’t sponge off his dad.”


“But that’s not sponging, it’s Brian’s responsibility to pay for his son’s education,” Mel said, the irritation evident in her voice.


“Oh Mama,” JR huffed, clearly not seeing what her mother had against Gus wanting to earn money and paying his own way when he could. JR loved the money she earned from the store even though her mother gave her an allowance.


Gus was only away from their table for a few minutes when Lacy brought over their orders. Gus came out of the backroom where he left his dirty apron and had washed up to join them. It had taken Gus less than ten minutes to do his good deed. A few minutes later, Lacy’s emergency help showed up and all was right in the world again.


As the kids dug into their food, chatting casually, Melanie pondered how come she never noticed just how great her kids really were.



*****



“Daddy, can we go to the stream today?” Bree asked her father who appeared to be packing up some of his artist’s supplies.


“Maybe later. We’re all going to visit Grandma Claire and Grandpa Steve today,” Justin informed his daughter. It was a beautiful day and the boys of Edna’s Treasures decided to take advantage of it. So much had happened over the summer that they had little opportunity to spend time at Claire’s farm. John thought it would be a perfect day before the responsibilities of the new school year would keep the kids at Edna’s Treasures.


“Yay!” Bree clapped and she jumped up and down with approval.


“Go get your stuff together,” Justin advised her.


“Okay, Daddy!” Bree said as she ran to her room.



*****



About an hour later John’s Navigator pulled up at Claire’s farm. She and Steve came out of the screen porch to greet all of them.


“It seems like years since you all have been here,” Claire said as she kissed everyone.


“It was kind of a busy summer,” Justin replied, giving Claire a warm hug.


“Are you boys fully recovered?”


“We’re supposed to be careful for a few more months, but basically we’re back to normal.”


“Who you calling normal?” Brian joked.


“Never you, sweetheart,” Justin said sweetly batting his baby blues at his husband.


“That look will get you…” Brian stopped, remembering the children were standing right there. “…just about anything you want,” he continued.


“I know,” Justin said with a wicked grin.


“Can I get anything I want if I bat my eyes at you, Dada?” Bree asked.


Everyone stifled a laugh, but several chuckles escaped anyway.


“You already do, sweetheart,” Justin told his daughter.


Bree frowned. It didn’t seem like she always got what she wanted. She opened her mouth to protest, but before she could say anything, Claire jumped in.


“I have lunch on the table, so let’s all go inside and have something to eat.”


“Yay! Apple pie!” Patrick yelled before racing for the house. Bree was hot on his heels.


“Do you think we’ll be able to get them to eat some main course before they have dessert?” Bobby asked with a laugh.


“I’ll bat my eyes at Bree, and see if I can get her to do what I want,” Brian said with his tongue in his cheek.


Justin gave him a swat, before they all headed into the house.



*****



As they finished up the delicious lunch that Claire had prepared for them, Bree and Patrick waited patiently for a slice of Claire’s apple pie. When it was finally dished up and passed around, there were several sighs of contentment as the sweet dessert made its way into the waiting mouths.


“This is so good, Claire,” Justin gushed.


“I made four pies just in case you were really hungry,” Claire said with a big smile. “Or maybe you’d like to take one home with you,” she suggested.


“I could eat the whole pie all by myself,” Patrick stated.


“But you should share,” Bree advised him.


“He’s growing like a weed these days,” John said. “It’s impossible to fill him up.”


“Growth spurt,” Claire said with all the knowledge of a grandmother.


“Patrick, you shouldn’t get any taller,” Bree informed her cousin. “You hafta wait for me.”


“I don’t think Patrick has any control over how tall he gets, Squirt,” Brian told his daughter.


“Patrick’s going to be tall like his father,” Steve said.


“I want to be tall, just like Dad,” Patrick agreed.


“Poo!” Bree reacted. She took a bite of her pie and then crossed her arms over her chest. Someone was not pleased.


“The kids would like to go riding once we’re through with lunch,” John said to Steve. “Is Bill at the farm?”


“Yes, he’s doing the final paperwork and clean up from the summer tenants.”


“You’re still getting a full contingent of kids each summer?” Brian asked.


“Unfortunately yes,” Steve said shaking his head. “Every summer there are more kids whose families apply than there are spots available.”


“Would it help if we expanded the bunkhouse?” Brian asked.


Steve studied Brian Kinney. Then he said after considerable thought, “Money doesn’t solve everything.”


“No,” Brian agreed, “but often it can go a long way to making the problem better.”


“It won’t work at the farm,” Steve explained. “The reason the farm is good for these kids is the small group that is there. They get lots of attention. They have their chores and the structure, and there’s somebody always there to make sure they do what they’ve been told. More kids would mean less supervision, less one-on-one time to talk about things.”


“More counselors?” Brian asked.


Steve shook his head. “It takes a special person to do what Bill and his helpers do. You’re not going to find such a person by putting an ad in the paper.”


“Okay,” Brian replied. “Point taken. The farm stays the way it is.”


“Good,” Steve said. “Everybody ready for a ride?”


“Yay!” Bree replied. “I wish Ashley could be here. She wanted to ride.”


“You know she’s busy with her mother this weekend,” Justin reminded her.


“I know, but I like to ride with her.”


“No whining or we don’t ride,” Brian told his daughter.


Bree batted her eyes at him, but he merely shook his head and stared her down. “’Kay, Dada,” Bree agreed with a big sigh.



*****



The horses walked single file along the trail through the stand of trees.


“What a beautiful day,” John said as he took in the blue sky peeking through the leaves of the trees.


“It’s perfect,” Bree agreed. “But it would be even better if Ashley was here.”


“Briana,” Brian said sternly turning in the saddle to look at his daughter.


“Sowwy, Dada,” she replied contritely.


“I used to love this trail when I was a kid,” John said. “If it was hot, the trees made it cooler. If it was rainy, the leaves blocked most of the rain. I played in here all the time.”


“Good memories?” Brian asked his brother. John nodded.


Only John and Brian had decided to ride with Bree and Patrick. Justin wanted to paint and Claire had got Bobby to help Steve load some hay onto the pickup truck.


“Dada, did you like this place when you were little?” Bree asked.


“I was only ever here once that I remember. I fell in the stream and … Uncle John rescued me.”


“Really?” Bree asked her eyes getting very large. “Thank you, Unca John,” she added.


“Yeah, thanks Uncle John,” Brian repeated with a grin.


“You’re welcome, I think,” John laughed. “I’m about ready to turn around and head back to the farm. Everybody agree?”


“Yep,” Patrick said definitively and Bree nodded as well.


They turned their horses, the children handling that maneuver very well.


“You two are becoming good riders,” John complimented them.


“I know,” Bree said, while Patrick merely nodded. His broken arm had taught him not to show off or try things beyond his ability.


“Onward and upward,” John said now that he was in the lead.


“Dad,” Patrick asked as they left the cover of the trees. “Can I canter to the barn?”


“You’re sure you can handle your horse?” John asked.


“Yes, Dad.”


“Okay, go for it.”


“Me too?” Bree asked.


“I don’t think that would be wise,” Brian advised. “Stay with me, Squirt.”


“But I want to, Dada.”


“You still need to grow a little bit and practice trotting before you move on to canter.”


“Then can I trot to the barn?” Bree asked.


“Okay.”


Bree kneed her horse and they trotted rather slowly after the cantering Patrick.


“I’ll race you to the barn,” John challenged as he saw Patrick dismount beside the barn. The boy waited for Bree to catch up to him and then held the reins while Bree hopped off her horse.


“Sure,” Brian said and urged his horse forward so as to get a slight advantage over his brother.


John always won, since he was the better rider, but an initial advantage always made it a little closer race. Brian almost held his brother off, but John caught him as they burst into the yard in front of the barn.


“You almost beat him, Dada,” Bree crowed clapping her hands.


“Almost only counts in horseshoes,” Brian said with a scowl as he dismounted. “Speaking of which, are you up for a game? Maybe I’ll get my revenge on the horseshoe pitch.”


“Dream on, Little Bro,” John replied, but he also nodded as they started to pull the saddles off their horses.



*****



After the horses were brushed down and made comfortable in their stalls, John decided to stay at the farm to inspect the buildings for any damage they might have sustained over the summer due to the usual summer storms. Patrick decided to assist his father by jotting down what his father found, as Bobby stayed on to look over the farm's books. Brian decided that he and Bree smelled too much like horse for his liking, so he and Bree were going to take the path through the woods back to the house.


“Why don't you rest that foot,” John advised Brian, noticing Brian's slight limp. Brian nodded. Balancing himself in his saddle put a little too much strain on his ankle.


“Yeah, I'm going to take a shower. Maybe Bobby will wrap it for me later,” Brian said.


“Ask my mother; she'll do it. She wrapped my ankles lots of times,” John told Brian. Brian nodded.


“I'll help you, Dada,” Bree announced as she took her father's hand before they left the barnyard and headed for the path.


When they reached the farmhouse, Brian set out clean clothes for Bree while she took her bath. When she was finished, Brian took a quick shower, happy for the extra clothes they had packed, just in case. He joined Bree and Claire in the kitchen in time to see a fresh batch of cookies coming out of the oven.


“You will be staying for dinner,” Claire stated in a tone that brooked no argument.


“Yes, ma'am,” Brian replied as he sat at the table. Claire slid a bowl of peas at him that needed to be shelled then helped Brian arrange his leg on a padded stool.


“Dada, can I go to the stream?” Bree asked. There was still plenty of daylight left in the day. Too much of it to be wasted indoors even when there were cookies to be had.


“Do you want me to walk you down there?” Brian asked.


“Dada!” Bree admonished her father as she stamped one petite foot and put her hands on her hips. Her violet blue eyes were ablaze with a Kinney glare. “I've been coming here forever; I know how to go to the stream.”


Claire snickered into her apron as Brian held up his hands by way of apology.


“Okay, General Squirt. Tell your daddy that we'll be staying for dinner.”


“Okay, Dada,” Bree said. She kissed her father's cheek then ran out, the screen door slamming in her wake.


“Face it, sweetheart,” Claire began as she saw the scowl begin to form on Brian's face. “She's growing up.”


“I know,” Brian said with resignation. “I just wish she wouldn't do it so fast,” he added as he started to shell the peas.


“Welcome to the wonderful world of parenthood,” Claire said as she sat close, lifting Brian's foot onto her lap. She expertly wrapped his aching ankle. “Better?” Brian nodded. “Good,” she said as she stood and went to the sink to wash her hands. On the stove were the cookies that had been cooling. She placed a few on a plate, poured a tall glass of milk and set her offering on the table in front of Brian. She laughed to herself as Brian pouted while he nibbled on his cookie.



*****



“Hey, Daddy!”


“Hey, Baby Girl. Did you have fun riding?”


“Oh, yes, Daddy. Gamma Claire said we're staying for dinner.”


“That's nice,” Justin said as he concentrated on getting the colors just right. He was painting the field of wild flowers that were on the other side of the stream.


“Pretty,” Bree declared appreciatively.


“Mm,” Justin replied, getting lost in his art.


“Can I draw?”


“Sure,” he said as he pointed with his brush to his bag that was leaning against a stump. Bree scampered over to the bag to take out a small pad and a set of pencils. Bree took her supplies closer to the steam to find herself a good spot to sit.


“Daddy, can I put my feet in the water?” Bree asked after a while. The late summer sun was still very warm.


“Okay, but don't get your clothes wet.”


“I won't,” Bree answered as she slipped off her pink Vans. She found a suitable shady rock to perch upon as she opened her sketch pad.


A considerable time later, Justin's stomach reminded him that it was getting close to dinnertime. Working in acrylics, Justin's painting was dry enough to be moved. He methodically began to pack up his supplies when he noticed Bree still sitting on her rock, her pad in her hand. Justin softly giggled as he quickly took out a pad of his own.


“Hey, Sun...”


“Shhhh,” Justin quickly shushed Brian then pointed toward Bree. Brian did a double take.


“Is she...?” Brian whispered as he looked over Justin's shoulder while Justin continued sketching their daughter. Brian looked up at the model then back at the rendition. He smiled broadly planting a kiss onto his spouse's blond locks, letting the artist finish his drawing.


“Done!” Justin announced a few minutes later. “What did you want?”


“Dinner's almost ready; I thought you could use a hand with your stuff.”


“Sure,” Justin said with a smile. “Bree, it's time to go back to the house,” Justin gingerly called out so not to startle Bree.


“Okay, Daddy,” Bree replied as she hopped down off her rock and began to get dressed. Within a few minutes they were walking back to the house, Bree happily skipping along with her fathers.


“Um, Baby Girl, why did you take off your clothes?”


“You told me not to get them wet,” Bree said matter-of-factly.


“Oh,” Justin said. Bree was oblivious to the looks that her fathers exchanged.


“Well, she didn't get them wet,” Brian confirmed.


“I'm gonna go help Gamma!” Bree announced to her fathers then ran to the house.


Later that night when the family got home and the kids were in bed fast asleep, the boys were sitting in the sun porch quietly talking about their day, sipping coffee and savoring some more of the apple pie that Claire had given them. Brian was flipping through Justin's sketch pad.


“Sooo, do you think Bree will let you include her little naked butt in your show?” Brian asked with a smirk. He showed John and Bobby the sketch. The boys giggled.


“She's adorable,” Bobby pronounced. Brian gave him a 'proud papa' look.


“I think the princess will make a fine addition to your grouping,” John said as he reached for the pad to look through it. “It's not like she's really naked. I mean she is but all you can see is a little of her behind.”


“Why did she take off her clothes?” Bobby asked as he took the pad to study the sketch. Bree was sitting on her rock, her pad and pencil in her hands her back to Justin. Her hair was up in pigtails as she sat on the rock with her toes in the water.


“I told her not to get her clothes wet,” Justin told them, his blue eyes sparkling.


The boys looked at him then looked back at the sketch. Then they all smiled.

 

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

The Naked Truth


Chapter 3





“Mel?” Lindsay was surprised to see her ex standing on the front porch so early in the morning. Lindsay was still in her robe, half dressed for her day at the gallery.


“I’m sorry, I guess I should have called first,” Mel said contritely.


“It’s all right,” Lindsay said as she stepped aside. “Would you like to come in, we’re about to have breakfast.”


“Uh, I’m not sure,” Mel suddenly lost her nerve. She had come over hoping to take JR out to breakfast before JR went to the comic book store.


“Please, we have plenty and JR would love it.”


“If it’s not too much trouble,” Mel said hesitantly as she stepped over the threshold of her former home.


“No trouble at all,” Lindsay reassured Melanie. For a moment Melanie thought she felt something from her former spouse and lover, but it was all too fleeting for her to be sure. Lindsay led the way toward the dining room.


“Mama!” JR shrieked as Mel walked into the room. JR jumped up to give her mother a hug. Melanie reveled in the embrace.


“Your mother invited me to stay for breakfast if that’s okay with you,” Mel stated before she sat at the table. Melanie noted a few things had changed in the room. There were several more pieces of Lindsay’s artwork hanging on the walls, as well as some of Justin’s. She also noted some other new additions, the style was similar to Justin’s but not quite the same. Mel realized that the artist was Candy. Candy bounded into the room in full Goth regalia, sporting a conglomeration of beads around her neck made up of mostly sparkling black crystals.


“That’s an interesting necklace,” Mel commented as she automatically sat across from Lindsay in her old spot. Lindsay handed her a plate and a set of silverware as Candy handed her a napkin.


“Thank you. We found the beads while we were out antiquing and I put this together,” Candy said proudly.


“Mom took us all out for a drive when we were staying on the lane,” JR explained. “We found all sorts of stuff,” JR proudly announced. The girls laughed as if sharing an inside joke. Lindsay smiled at them and at the memory.


“It’s amazing what you can find when you just take the time to look,” Lindsay added. She didn’t notice the pained expression that flashed across Mel’s face. Mel never had the patience for that sort of stuff.


For the next half hour the girls regaled Melanie about all their finds and what they did with them.


“And Nina,” Candy said making quote marks in the air when she said ‘Nina’, “found this real pretty string of green beads. She sewed them onto a dress she was making.”


“Nina?” Mel looked at them.


“Richie,” they all said at the same time then giggled including Lindsay.


“Richie’s alter ego,” Lindsay went on to say.


“Oh yes, Richie. How’s he doing?” Mel asked. She remembered her part in helping Emmett and Drew to be able to foster the young man.


“He’s doing very well,” Lindsay said. “Drew and Emm have petitioned the court to allow them to formally adopt him. So far Richie’s parents have shown little interest in him. He’s doing well in school and personally.”


“Really? Who’s their lawyer?” Mel asked without thinking.


“Bobby,” Lindsay replied.


“But he’s not... I’m sorry, I guess it’s none of my business,” Mel said softly.


“Mama?” JR looked up at her mother, concern in her eyes. Mel glanced at Lindsay and received a nod. Mel put down her toast to gather her thoughts.


“Adoption is not an easy process especially for gay men. But the difficulty here lies in the fact that Richie’s parents are alive and from what I remember they’re well off and can provide what the court may deem a better environment for their son,” Mel said choosing her words carefully.


“But, they’re the ones who threw him out,” Candy said, her eyes glittering with unshed tears.


“We know, honey,” Lindsay said softly. “But Mel’s right. It won’t be easy for Emm and Drew, and while Bobby is a very good lawyer, he doesn’t specialize in adoptions.”


“How can we help?” JR took up the gauntlet.


“I’m not sure but we’re Richie’s friends and we can be there for him and for Emmett and Drew,” Lindsay stated emphatically.


“Um, do you think Bobby would allow me to help?” Melanie asked.


“Could you, Mama?” JR asked with a broad smile on her face.


“I’d like to if you think Bobby wouldn’t mind. I am familiar with Richie’s case and if we’re lucky we might get Judge Schultz to hear the case. Um, I have some free time on my hands,” Mel added when Lindsay gazed at her with curiosity.


“But wouldn’t she have to recuse herself?” Lindsay asked then smiled at Mel’s incredulous look. Lindsay shrugged her shoulders then mouthed ‘fuck a lawyer...’ Mel giggled as she remembered when Lindsay first said that phrase.


“Possibly but if Richie’s parents decide to keep things quiet then maybe they’d allow her to preside over the proceedings.”


“Moms, in English, please,” JR scowled at Mel and Lindsay. The moms blushed. Both girls looked back and forth at the women.


Lindsay went on to explain, in English, “What your mother means is that in some cases, adoptions can be very public, messy affairs.”


“In this case,” Mel took up where Lindsay ended, “Richie’s parents not only disapproved of his lifestyle choices, they were embarrassed by them. So in wanting to keep things quiet...”


“They may not argue about the judge or that it was Emmett and Drew wanting to adopted their son,” Lindsay finished off Mel’s thought. Melanie nodded.


“Ooohhh,” both girls sing-songed.


“So that would be good for Richie, right?” Candy said receiving nods from the women.


“And maybe if they saw Nina at the proceedings it just might cinch it,” JR said with an almost evil smirk.


“JR,” the moms growled at their devious daughter. In an instant the evil smirk became one of total innocence. The women sighed and the girls broke out into fits of laughter.



*****



“Sooo, big bro, are you going to let our little Mary Sunshine paint you in the all-together?” Brian teased as he saw John flipping trough Justin’s sketch pad. He had picked it up as he walked through the sun porch. John jumped not seeing Brian who was up in his balcony office.


“I’m not sure. What’s there to paint? You and I are so similar; can’t he paint your body and put my head on it?”


“That’s like painting a tiger with the head of a zebra. We may look alike at first glance but anyone can spot the differences,” Brian said as he walked down the spiral staircase. “You have an all right body, nothing to be embarrassed about,” Brian conceded. “Just ask your hubby,” he further teased.


John gave Brian his own version of the Kinney death glare. Brian was impervious to it so he continued, “Besides, your spouse is contributing to the project as we speak.”


“You’re kidding?” John asked as he looked into his brother’s eyes.


“Nope. The kids are at Rachel’s, conveniently helping her in the yard while Justin’s working his own magic in ours.” Brian guided John outside toward the pitching/batting cage that Bobby had set up for himself and Patrick.


Standing out of the way where they wouldn’t be observed or interrupt the artist and model, the Kinney brothers watched. Bobby was naked standing at the far end of the cage, a bucket of balls at his feet. Justin had a video camera hanging from his neck and a sketch pad in his hands.


“What’s he doing?” John whispered.


“As Justin put it, he wants to capture Bobby’s muscles in motion, hence the camera. I think he plans a series of sketches on the one page.”


“Oh. And Bobby doesn’t have a problem with this?”


“Apparently not,” Brian said with a most appreciative leer.


“Hey,” John growled as he ribbed Brian with an elbow.


“He’s not my type,” Brian assured his brother. “My type runs to short, blond and good with his hands.”


“As opposed to short, red-headed and good with his hands?” John said noting that each of Bobby’s throws was right on target.


“Something like that,” Brian confirmed. The brothers looked at each other and smiled. They knew they both had the right partners. “Come on, let’s go back inside. I’ll buy you a coffee.”


The brothers made a discreet retreat.


“Yeah, about that.”


“What are you talking about?” Brian didn’t think John’s remark was about the pot of coffee in his kitchen.


“During the construction of the greenhouse and cottage, the coffee man.”


“What about him?”


“When I was about to pay him, he told me that someone had beaten me to it.”


“Is that right?”


“You wouldn’t know anything about that, would you?”


“Not a clue,” Brian smirked. Okay, so a little white lie wasn’t really a lie, was it?


“Uh huh,” John said as he followed his brother into the kitchen. “I’m on to you, Kinney.”


“Yeah, yeah,” Brian said as he poured them some coffee.



*****



“Mama, are you really going to help Richie?” JR asked as Mel parked in front of the comic book store.


“I’d like to but I have to ask first. Bobby is in charge.”


“Oh. Do you think he’ll let you?”


“All I can do is ask, sweetheart.”


“But you will ask.”


“I promise. I’m still licensed to practice here and I’ve handled a lot of adoptions, besides being familiar with this case. Bobby is a good lawyer but he’s a corporate lawyer. As far as I know he hasn’t handled adoptions.”


“But a lawyer is a lawyer.”


“Yes, but it’s like being a doctor. You wouldn’t go to a dentist if you had heart problems. It’s the same thing. I don’t handle business law, so if I had an issue with taxes or mergers I’d go to a lawyer that had experience with those things.”


“Oh. Uncle Brian says that Uncle Bobby is a very good lawyer so I’m sure he’d want your help.”


Mel stifled a moan at hearing Brian’s name, but some things were bigger than she and Brian Kinney.


“You’ll call him?” JR said meaning Bobby.


“Yes, as soon as I get back to my hotel room. Can I come by and take you to lunch?”


“That’ll be great, Mama!” JR gave her mother a hug before she hopped out of Mel’s rented car and ran into the store. The gate was up and JR knew that her grandmother was already inside. “Later!” JR shouted as she waved at her mother.


“Later,” Mel replied back, realizing that she sounded too much like a certain man that she loved to hate.



*****



“Morrison,” Bobby said into his cell phone. He had a towel wrapped around his waist and was toweling off his hair. He didn’t remember how sweaty pitching was, even pitching in the nude. He chuckled to himself.


“Bobby, it’s Melanie Marcus. Did I get you at a bad moment?” Mel asked hearing the laughter in Bobby’s voice.


“No, it’s fine, just laughing to myself. What can I do for you?”


“Um, I’m not sure how to ask this but I heard you’re going to handle Richie’s adoption.”


Bobby plopped himself down on his bed. “Wow, news travels fast and all the way to Portland.”


“Yes, news does travel fast but I’m not in Portland. I’m here.”


“Here? Where, here?”


“In Pittsburgh. I’m visiting JR and Gus before school starts.”


“That’s nice. So you heard about the adoption from...?”


“JR, this morning at breakfast with Lindz and the girls.”


“At breakfast...at the diner?”


“No, the house. And, no Bobby, I didn’t sleep over. I knocked on the door to invite JR out for breakfast and I was invited in.”


“Ah. Well, it’s not a state secret. The guys asked if I would consider taking on their case. I told them I’d consider it but I’m obviously not experienced in this type of law. I told them I’d either have to hook up with a lawyer who was and/or do a lot of research first. That’s as far as it’s gotten. Why do you want to know?”


“Well, I was there when Emm and Drew were given permission to foster Richie in the first place, and I’m familiar with his circumstances.”


“Yeah and?”


“I’d like to help, if you think the guys would let me.”


“Help as in, help?”


“Yes. Look, I’ve handled a lot of same sex adoptions and I know about Richie’s parents and their attitude toward their son. I was thinking that we should present it in such a way that they’ll be happy to have the whole thing go away quietly with little fanfare.”


“With little personal embarrassment you mean.”


“That too.”


“Where can we meet?” Bobby asked after a moment’s thought.


“Liberty Diner? I think we should keep this confidential. That’s the last place ultra straight people would think of coming into.”


“And we could spot a straight person a mile away.”


“Something like that.”


“Okay, let me call the guys first. I wouldn’t do anything without Emm and Drew’s permission.”


“I know you wouldn’t. I’ll be waiting for your call either way.”


“All right. I’ll get back to you soon.” Bobby stared at his phone for a minute before he jumped up to get dressed. He needed to speak with John and the guys before he called Emmett and Drew.



*****



“Are you out of your fucking mind?!” Brian’s voice bounced off the glass ceiling.


“Brian, let Bobby finish,” Justin said calmly. John was helping Brian move some of the tropical trees back into the greenhouse when Bobby found Justin and had him join them in the greenhouse to let them know about Mel’s call.


“As remarkable as it may sound, I think she’s sincere in her offer to help,” Bobby went on to say. “In any case I would have had to consult her or someone just like her. I couldn’t, in all good conscience, take on a case like this by myself.”


“Why?” Justin asked.


“Because I’m not well versed in this type of law. Give me tax regulations or a business contract to check over for loopholes and I’m your man. But this is family law. And an LGBT family. I hate to admit it but Melanie is the expert here.”


“Okaaay,” Brian conceded the point. “But I want to know why Smelly Mel’s back here from hell in the first place.” John rolled his eyes at his brother. Justin just shook his head.


“She’s visiting her kids before school starts,” Bobby supplied.


“So that’s why the little shit has been avoiding my calls,” Brian growled, referring to Gus.


“Brian!” Justin did a little growling of his own. Then turning back to Bobby, “So what do you need from us?”


“Melanie and I have never really collaborated before. We’ve consulted, marginally, but not on something like this. I’d welcome your input.”


“I recommend a spear gun,” Brian snorted out.


“Call Emmett and Drew, give it to them straight, so to speak. Reiterate your concerns about being qualified to handle this on your own and remind them that Melanie is eminently qualified. And assure them that you’d still be in charge of their case. I’m sure they’ll agree that this is the best course of action,” John said authoritatively, ignoring his brother’s helpful suggestion.


“Do you know how sexy you are when you’re being professorial?” Bobby remarked with a smirk.


“And if the bullshit gets any deeper in here, we’ll need a bulldozer to get out,” Brian snarked. “Bobby, you do what you need to do to make sure that Richie has a permanent home with our fairy godmother and his quarterback. In the meantime I’m going to the Pitts.”


“Why?” Justin said as he stepped in front of Brian.


“Can’t I visit my son?” Brian asked not so innocently.


“No, you can’t. Spill,” Justin demanded.


“Sunshine...”


“Don’t you Sunshine me!”


“Fine. I want to make sure Mel’s not here to cause trouble and...”


“Make sure Lindsay’s okay,” Justin added. Brian nodded. “Okay, go but don’t you cause any trouble.”


“Moi?”


“Toi. And take a shower first; you smell like a tree,” Justin said as Brian planted a kiss on his cheek then sprinted back to their cottage.


“Don’t worry, I’ll keep an eye on him. I’m going to meet with Mel to discuss the case,” Bobby said as he went back to his own side of the conjoined cottages to call Mel and the boys.


“Great,” John began. “Who’s going to keep an eye on Bobby?” John asked knowing that Bobby could be just as fiery as Brian.


“We could all go,” Justin suggested. John gave him a look. “Wouldn’t be the first time we’ve all ‘helped.’ I’m sure the kids can stay with Rachel for a while longer.”


“Maybe I’ll go take a quick shower.” John took a whiff of himself. “I smell a bit like tree too.” Justin laughed as John took off toward the house, running past Beau.


Beau loped into the greenhouse and sat in front of Justin looking up at his blond haired master with big soulful eyes. Justin bent down to give the big dog’s ears a good scratch.


“You know something, Beau? I’m beginning to think you’re the only sane one on this lane.”


Beau gave a little woof then took off out of the greenhouse to makes his rounds. Justin shrugged his shoulders then sprinted over to Rachel’s house to fill her and the kids in on the plan for the day.



*****



Beau made one pass around his lane then sat on the grass at the side as John’s Navigator carefully made its way down the driveway and onto the lane. Beau could hear the men inside talking; he heard his name. He knew he was given the responsibility of protecting the lane while his masters were away. Beau stood up and barked, acknowledging the task with which he was entrusted. And reassuring his masters that he would fulfill his job to the best of his ability. The men in the car waved at Beau as they drove down toward the gate.


When the boys were gone, Beau resumed his rounds. He trotted past the greenhouse, stopping to look in the pond. The koi were happily swimming in their manmade pond, flashing gold, orange and red in the sun. Beau stopped to watch for a moment when one fish briefly came up to the surface blowing bubbles at the big dog. Beau sniffed at the air then sneezed, scaring the fish back into the depths of its pond. Beau moved on to the newest house on the lane.


“Hey, Beau,” Michael greeted the dog in a sleep raspy voice. “You checking up on me?”


Michael smiled when Beau rested his chin on Michael’s thigh. Beau sniffed the air. He could tell that there was something not right with this human. It wasn’t as bad as when the human first came to stay on the lane, but the wrongness was still there. Ben came out of the patio door as Michael patted the dog’s head.


“Hey, Babe, can I bring you anything?”


“No thank you, I think I’m ready to go back inside.”


“Was Beau keeping you company?” Ben asked. He too had a friendly pat for the big dog.


“I think he’s making his rounds.”


“He’s a real smart dog.” Beau stood up to move away from Michael so that Ben could help Michael up from his lounge chair. “We’ll see you later, Beau,” Ben said to the dog.


Beau gave a woof of acknowledgment then took off toward the stream to complete his rounds.

 

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

The Naked Truth


Chapter 4





“Where do you want me to drop you all off?” John asked as he pulled up to the Liberty Diner so that Bobby could meet with Melanie.


“Gallery,” Justin supplied.


“At Lindsay's,” Brian responded as he snapped his cell phone shut.


John felt three sets of eyes turn their gaze toward him.


"I'm going to meet with Gordon at the Village. We have some more projects in the works,” John answered the unspoken question. “Call me when you're ready to be picked up.”


The men all nodded as Bobby got out of the Navigator. Bobby gave them a little wave before turning to go into the diner.


“Hey,” Bobby greeted Mel and JR who were sitting in a booth. They had just finished lunch and JR was getting ready to go back to the store. The diner was relatively quiet, the lunch hour just about over.


“Hi, Uncle Bobby! You gonna help my Mom?” JR asked enthusiastically.


“JR, it's more like I'll be assisting Bobby if he allows me too,” Melanie qualified the statement before Bobby could answer the teen.


“Your mother and I are just going to talk about it,” Bobby stated as he slipped into the seat JR just vacated. JR kissed Bobby on the cheek then went to hug her mother before leaving.


“Whatever,” she said as she rolled her eyes, convinced that adults never said what they really meant. “Later!” she added as she scurried toward the door. “Bye, Lacy!” JR called out then was gone in a flash.


“Damn, where does she get that energy,” Mel mumbled to herself as she saw JR power walk down the street.


“She's a teenager and invincible,” Bobby commented.


“Patrick will be one too in a couple of years,” Mel said.


“Don't remind me. I'm in complete denial,” Bobby said as he picked up the menu that a passing waiter had plopped in front of him. The boys had left the lane before having lunch and now Bobby found he was hungry. “I'll have a burger with the works,” he told the waiter. “And a diet cola,” he quickly added. “I can't be good or all that bad all of the time,” he said to Mel's raised eyebrows. Mel raised her hands in surrender.


“So does this mean the boys are okay with me consulting?” Mel asked getting straight to the point.


“Yes they are, although Emmett was ready to feel guilty about your involvement. However, I told him that you had already discussed it with Lindsay and she seemed to have no problem with it,” Bobby said. “But I have to warn you that I didn't come here alone. Brian's about to storm the castle, so to speak.”


“I wouldn't expect any less from him,” Mel said with resignation.


“It still hurts you that Lindsay and Brian have something special between them, doesn't it?”


“Yeah, it does and for the life of me I can't understand why. After all this time and even after the divorce, it still bothers me that as close as Lindz and I were, she and Brian will always be closer.”


“Maybe because they fell in love when they were so young and impressionable.”


“But he's a fag.”


“And she's a lesbian, but love is love and you can't help who you fall in love with. I'm sure that if their liaison in college had produced a child, Brian would have done 'the right thing' and married her. He would have been loyal even though they eventually would have been miserable. Mel, you've seen it hundreds of times, you never forget your first love no matter how many years have gone by.”


“Leda.”


“Pardon me?”


“Leda, she was my first. It was hot and heavy for years before we realized our goals were not compatible. But you're right, when Leda breezed back into our lives many years ago, there were sparks. Lindsay was jealous.”


“And you and Lindsay got over it.”


“Yes we did. I guess I'll never be as sensible as Lindsay. We both made so many mistakes. We're better off now,” Mel said sadly.


“How's it with you and Lorna?” Bobby asked sincerely.


“Not as good as I hoped it would be. We're great as law partners; we're doing good work. But...”


“But your personal goals may not be as compatible as you thought they were?” Bobby parroted Mel's own words.


“Yeah. And I'm going to have to deal with it when I go back. But that's not why we're here now.”


“You're right. We have a more important issue to talk about,” Bobby said as the lawyers got back to the case that brought them together in the first place. He drew out a legal pad from his pack.


“So how should we approach this?” Bobby asked as he set a second pad in front of Melanie.


Armed with pens the two lawyers got to work.



*****



Brian banged on the front door once more as Lindsay was just getting to it.


“Keep your fucking shirt on!” she yelled as she opened it, seeing a familiar silhouette through the curtain.


“Hey,” Brian said nonchalantly as he pushed past her and walked to the kitchen. “Coffee,” he demanded then began to rummage though her refrigerator.


“Well, hello to you too,” Lindsay snarked as she put on a new pot of coffee. “And what brings you to our fair burg this fine day?”


“You know, I think you picked up too many bad habits from your former spouse,” Brian replied, his head still in the refrigerator. Lindsay smacked his rump as she took out some bread to make Brian a sandwich. She recognized the signs of a hungry man.


A few minutes later they were sitting at the table having lunch.


“Where are the girls?”


“JR's at the store and Candy is at the GLC.”


“And Gus?”


“Probably at the loft, packing. He's leaving soon,” Lindsay explained. Brian nodded.


“Are you okay?” Brian asked.


Lindsay knew what he meant. “Yes, I am.” Brian arched a brow. “I am, really.”


Brian examined his friend's face for a moment. Then he got up from his chair to give Lindsay a hug.


“I wish she could have been this sincere and loving when we were together.”


Brian heard the words from his chest as Lindsay quietly cried. Brian said nothing as he hugged Lindsay harder and let her cry it all out.



*****



“Justin, my boy!” Sidney called out from behind a large display easel. “Good to see you. How is my number one artist? All in one piece I hope?” Sidney scrutinized Justin carefully.


“Yes, Sidney, Humpty Dumpty is all back together,” Justin said as he flexed both arms as proof.


“Wonderful. Your floral paintings are selling like hot cakes. And...” Sidney leaned in closer to Justin changing his voice to a whisper. “I just got off the phone; there's a Paris gallery that wants several of your 'Old Masters' to show.”


“Paris!” Justin shouted, his laughter filled the gallery.


“Yes, my boy, and your Fractal paintings including the video. They did not want to be outdone by the stuffy old British,” Sidney said with an exaggerated fake French accent. They both broke out into laughter. “Come into my office, my lad, so we may discuss your future.” Sidney patted Justin on the back as they walked to his office.



*****



“Hey, John-boy, you ready to do some honest to goodness building or are you still putzing around the countryside looking for more cottages to build or restore?” Gordon, John's friend and long time business partner greeted the architect as he walked into the Village Floral Shoppe.


John stopped long enough to greet the owner of said shop, Betsie, Gordon's wife and ruler, before answering his partner. “How long have you let this reprobate live?”


“I've allowed him a long and happy life for nearly thirty years,” Betsie answered with a chuckle. She was used to the banter after all these years. She welcomed it. It was rare for friends to be in business for so long without a cross word between them. They did good work together and had each other's back.


“Are you here to save me from my demon wife?” Gordon asked as he stepped from around the counter of the store. He kissed his wife's cheek.


“Yes, if Betsie gives me permission,” John replied kissing Betsie's other cheek.


“Get out, both of you!” Betsie said as she waved a pruning shear at the men.


“Run for your lives!” both men shouted as they quickly exited the store. Betsie's laughter followed them out.


“You're one lucky man, Gordon Smith,” John exclaimed.


“Don't I know it. Don't know where I'd be without my Betsie,” Gordon confirmed as they walked to the Village Diner for some lunch and a conference regarding new projects.



*****



“So you think we have a good chance?” Bobby said as he looked over their copious notes.


“I believe so. The Crosses haven’t expressed any interest in their son since Richie moved out,” Mel replied.


“Thrown out more like it,” Bobby grumbled as he read over the original case file. “But we should be prepared for a fight in any event. I’ll have an investigator dig a little deeper into the Crosses background just in case they want to cause trouble. The Crosses have very successful careers so they do have the means to put up a fight if they want to, but Emmett and Drew aren’t chopped liver either.”


“But I still believe it won’t go that far. Besides, we’re not talking about adopting a baby or young child. Richie’s what, fourteen now? He’s old enough to know what he wants for himself. A judge will take that into account,” Mel said then stopped. Her silence became deafening.


“What is it?” Bobby asked. He had an idea of the answer.


“JR’s fifteen.”


“Yes, she is.”


“She’s old enough to know what she wants for herself.”


“Yes.”


Mel lowered her head. “And she wouldn’t want to move from Pittsburgh, even if I painted her room her favorite colors or bought her a new computer.”


“No, she wouldn’t.” Mel glared at the red-head. “Melanie, the truth is that JR loves her parents, all of her parents and it wouldn’t be fair to her to make her choose. Sometimes, it’s better for everyone to just let it alone. You can see that, can’t you?” Mel nodded. “And Portland isn’t all that far away, is it?” Mel shook her head. “Then plan your life around her school holidays and make the effort to come back here to visit. No one will think any less of you. In fact, I’m sure they’ll all be pleasantly surprised.”


“What about Brian? Do you think he’ll allow me more access to Gus?” Melanie tried to keep the defiance out of her voice.


“Melanie, Gus is almost twenty; Brian couldn’t keep Gus away from you even if he tried. And has he?”


“Has he, what?”


“Has Brian ever really kept you away from Gus or was it the other way around,” Bobby asked gently.


“How dare you!” Mel growled then sat back. After a while Bobby saw Mel’s shoulders slump. “You must think I’m such a bitch.” Bobby smirked. “Yeah, yeah, I know. I haven’t done much to endear myself to the family.”


“We can change all that,” Bobby said as he waved his legal pad in the air.


“Bobby, I’m not doing this for recognition. There’s a young man whose future is at stake here.”


“I realize that. You are very good at what you do and I sincerely believe that Richie is much better off with Emmett and Drew. But it wouldn’t hurt your standing with the family if you help, and we win.” Bobby smiled evilly.


“You’re one scary man, Bobby Morrison,” Mel stated.


“Hey, I’ve learned from the master,” Bobby said with a shrug of his shoulders.


Neither Mel or Bobby had to explain who the master was.



*****



“You feel better now?”


“Yeah,” Brian said then belched loudly.


“Very attractive,” Lindsay snarked.


“Hey, what good is having a best friend if you can’t let one fly now and then?” Brian asked innocently, looking up at the tall blond with big soulful eyes.


“You are so full of shit, Brian Kinney!” Lindsay laughed as she refilled his coffee cup. Brian reached out to grab Lindsay’s arm. “I’m fine, Bri, really I am. I still miss the good times we had, you know?” Brian nodded. “But unfortunately the bad times and the tension outweighed the good times. Even if Mel decided to move back here...” Brian looked up at Lindsay in horror. “I’m just saying. Even if she did come back to the Pitts, I can’t go back. I’m happy. Even alone, I’m happy. I’ve been thinking of dating again.”


“About fucking time. It isn’t that artist, Sam, whatever the fuck?”


“Auerbach and no, not him. But I have been thinking of taking a walk on the dark side for a change.” Brian’s eyes grew wide for a moment.


“I do declare, Miss Lindsay, now ain’t you the bold one!” Brian said in his best southern drawl.


“Oh stop,” Lindsay retorted then blushed a deep crimson. Brian smelled victory and went in for the kill.


“Soooo, tell your Uncle Brian all about him,” Brian sing-songed. He got up from his chair to corner Lindsay by the coffeemaker.


“Stop it.”


“Tell me. Do I know him?” Brian asked as he got up into Lindsay's face. Lindsay nodded. “Is he hot, for a straight dude?”


“I think so.” Lindsay smiled.


“Please don’t tell me you’re going after some young shit on a motorcycle.” Brian scowled as he referred to Tucker, Jennifer’s fling so many years ago before she came to her senses.


“Heavens no! Charles is a proper gentleman.”


“Charles,” Brian repeated as he searched his memory banks. “Charles Higgins?!” Lindsay blushed again as she nodded. “At least he has good taste. But long distance relationships don’t always work out.”


“I’m not looking for a relationship, just a little romance.”


“Where was I when all this happened?” Brian frowned. He didn’t like being kept out of the loop.


“When Charles came over to present Justin with the Royal letters and commissions, we had lunch several times and found we have a lot in common. You haven’t been spending that much time in Pittsburgh lately. And are you allowed to drive yet?”


“Don’t change the subject. You both certainly have art in common. And he is good looking...”


“For a straight man, yes, I know.”


“Miss Lindsay, has Mister Charles already taken a dip at your well?”


“No. Not that it’s any of your business,” Lindsay said as she pushed on Brian’s chest. “I like him, Brian. He’s very gallant, not pushy and very intelligent. In some ways he reminds me of you.” Brian arched a brow. “He has a wonderful sense of humor and a gentle quietness about him. I feel good when we’re together.”


Brian searched Lindsay’s eyes. “Then go for it. I’ll even pay for the Viagra if necessary. But I won’t be responsible for my actions if he hurts you.”


“He won’t hurt me,” Lindsay said softly as she pecked Brian’s cheek. “Now, since you are here, come with me to the garden center. I want to buy some Fall plants.”


“Sure, since you fed me, it’s the least I can do. And to answer your question, I am allowed to drive if I drive an automatic. But John drove us here today,” Brian explained as they went out to the backyard. “Maybe I should show my face around at Kinnetik more often. Pittsburgh is the flagship branch,” Brian said more to himself than to Lindsay.


They spent the rest of the afternoon talking plants.



*****



Word quickly got around that the ‘fab’ four were in Pittsburgh. Before they could make an escape back onto the highway, the summons came through via Brian’s cell phone.


“You rang,” Brian snarked into his phone seeing Debbie’s number on the ID.


“You bring my Sunshine over for dinner, Brian Kinney. Do hear me? No excuses,” Debbie screeched. Brian pulled the phone away from his ear to save his eardrum.


“All of Pittsburgh heard you, Deb. And before you say anything else to deafen me, I will be happy to bring YOUR Sunshine over. Are the rest of us invited?” Brian hung up at the barrage of expletives.


John turned at the next block so that he could drive toward Debbie’s house.


“So, we’re having dinner at Debbie’s,” Justin stated the obvious.


“Yes, there is no escaping the inevitable,” Brian sighed. “The gay grapevine has struck again.”


As the boys pulled up to Debbie and Carl’s house, they could see a number of familiar cars parked along the block and in her driveway.


“I guess the gang’s all here,” John observed.


“Including Gus,” Bobby pointed out as the Jeep rounded the corner then slid into a parking spot.


“Where did he learn to drive like that?” Brian growled as Justin snickered.


“Like father like son,” Justin said.


“I do not drive like that!” Brian protested.


“Not now you don’t, but I seem to recall some interesting driving techniques when we first met,” Justin teased.


Before Brian could protest further, they were out of John’s Navigator and greeted by Gus.


“Hey, Pop! Got the summons I see.” Gus was all smiles as they made their way to Debbie’s door. Gus knocked then opened the door.


“Well it’s about fucking time!” Debbie shouted as she maneuvered through the family in her living room to pass out kisses and smacks to Gus and Brian’s cheeks.


“My Sunshine,” Debbie said turning, greeting Justin with a gentle hug and a sweet kiss to his face. “Are you keeping an eye on my Michael?” Debbie asked as she kissed John and Bobby.


“Yes ma’am,” they answered.


“I should be there taking care of him,” Debbie mumbled as she went back into the kitchen. Brian followed her as the other boys greeted the rest of the family that had been summoned.


“Come on, Maw, you know you’d only drive him crazy and he’d get fat on all that pasta. Besides, you taking care of his precious wittle comic book store takes a whole load off his mind,” Brian said loudly as he stuck his head in the refrigerator to grab a beer. He twisted off the cap to take a long pull, leaning against the counter waiting for Debbie to either explode and smack the shit out of him or get with the program. The family held their collective breath.


“Well, if you’re sure I’m helping by working at the store,” Debbie said in that way she had when the truth of the matter was staring at her. “Hey!” Debbie smacked Brian’s wrist as he reached across the counter to pick an olive out of the salad. “Are your hands clean?” she admonished in her motherly way.


The family smiled, all was right in their world. Debbie and Brian were at it again.



*****



“Hey Squirt,” Brian said softly as he smoothed out Bree’s blanket. The boys had returned to the lane past the kids’ bedtime. Rachel had fed them lunch and dinner and they helped her to bake several batches of cookies and a pie. Brian had delivered a tray of lasagna to Ben and Michael then walked back to his cottage to tuck his sleeping daughter in.


“Dada?” came a sleepy reply.


“I’m here.”


“Love you,” Bree said then sighed contentedly as she snuggled into her pillow.


“Love you too, Squirt,” Brian whispered as he kissed her forehead before leaving the room.


“Is she all right?” Justin asked as Brian entered the sun porch. The boys were relaxing and reviewing the events of the day, enjoying coffee and some of the cookies the kids helped to bake.


“She’s fine,” Brian said with a gentle smile. He snatched up a cookie off of Justin’s plate then took a bite. He sat on one of the chairs then turned his attention to Bobby.


“So what did Smelly Melly have to say?”


“I wish you wouldn’t call her that,” Bobby snickered. “I almost slipped up and said it myself.” The boys laughed then ‘a-hemmed’ and ‘coughed’ themselves back into some sort adult type behavior.


“Well, I was right in accepting her help. Her knowledge of adoption law and what same sex couples are up against in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will be invaluable. We’ve outlined two different approaches for starters.”


“Why two?” Justin asked.


“A plan and a back up plan,” Brian commented as he poured himself more coffee from the carafe on the table.


“How’d you know?” John asked as he handed Brian his own mug for a refill.


“Because it’s something I would do and still do at Kinnetik. We develop an initial campaign and then back up ones that highlight another aspect of what we’re trying to promote.”


“Covering all bases,” Bobby confirmed. “Our hope is that Richie’s family still disapproves of Richie’s lifestyle choices, and rather than become embarrassed by the publicity a same sex adoption may cause they won’t contest the petition.”


“And if they do contest?” Justin asked.


“Then we fight, dirty if we have to.”


“Meaning?” Brian asked.


“The judge will certainly ask Richie about his preference of where he wants to live. His school records alone stand as proof of how well Richie has adjusted to his new life, and we have medical records.”


“What will his medical record prove?” John asked.


“It appears that as Richie entered his pre-teens he began to develop a series of mild anxiety disorders. There was a discussion of possibly medicating him,” Bobby explained.


“Medicating him!” Justin became angry. “That sweet, gentle young man! He’s so creative, have you seen his clothing designs? If Richie is forced to go back to those people it would be criminal!” Justin was up on his feet pacing the sun porch.


“Justin, Bobby won’t let anything happen to Richie.” Brian latched onto his angry spouse trying to calm him.


“I’ll do everything in my power to make sure Richie stays with the people who love and respect him for who he is and don’t vilify him for what he is,” Bobby affirmed. Justin nodded, some of his anger dissipating.

 

Brian felt Justin relax a little. Then the boys agreed to call it a night.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

The Naked Truth


Chapter 5





“Daddy?”


“Yes, sweetheart.”


“Is school soon?”


“You know it is.”


“How soon?”


“Look at the calendar.”


Bree heaved a weary sigh and walked over to the calendar hanging in the kitchen of Edna’s Treasures. It wouldn’t be long until school resumed.


“Did you figure it out?”


“Yes, Daddy.”


“You could have done that all by yourself,” Justin chastised mildly. “You know how to read the calendar.”


“I know, Daddy, but it’s easier to ask you.” Bree turned and batted her violet blue eyes at her father.


Justin shook his head and stifled a chuckle. He cleared his throat. “Was it easier after I told you to look at the calendar yourself?”


Bree frowned and thought about that. “Nope,” she said after a moment.


“So next time you can figure out days by yourself?”


“I guess so,” Bree said with a sigh.


Justin smiled slightly. “And you know that Dada and I are always here to help you if you need us.”


“I know.”


“You don’t sound very happy about it.”


“Cause you make me figure it out by myself anyway,” Bree complained.


“But that’s how you learn things, Bree,” Justin explained.


“I didn’t learn anything, Daddy. I already knew how to do it.”


“So you were just being lazy?”


Bree’s mouth dropped open. “Oh no, Daddy,” Bree protested. “I’m not lazy. I just like you to take care of me.”


Justin shook his head once again. His daughter always possessed the ability to surprise him. “I’ll always take care of you, sweetheart, but you need to be independent too.”


“I am independent,” Bree stated indignantly. “But…”


“But what?”


“Sometimes it’s not fun to be independent.”


“I guess I can understand that,” Justin replied thoughtfully. Sometimes it was nice to be taken care of.


“Can Ashley come over tomorrow so we can plan what to do for the first day of school?”


Justin looked at his daughter. Apparently the topic of this conversation had changed. He needed to keep up. “If Ashley’s mom doesn’t have any other plans, Ashley is welcome to come over.”


“Yay!”


“Just what are you going to plan for the first day of school?” Justin asked as the thought struck him.


“We have to know what to wear,” Bree informed her father. “We want to match.”


“Oh, right, of course,” Justin said. “And that’s important.”


“Very important, Daddy.”


“Of course.”


Bree ran over to the phone to call Ashley. Justin watched her for a minute as she punched in the familiar number. She was growing up, and they would have to start making some changes in the way they handled her. Brian Kinney was not going to like that.



*****



“So what did you and Bree do today?” Brian asked. He had returned from a trip to Kinnetik where he had checked out how everything was running. He was now enjoying a cup of coffee with his husband. They were sitting at the kitchen table.


“Nothing much,” Justin replied. “She wanted to know how long until school begins.”


“Is she keen to go to school, or was that an I hope it’s weeks away kind of comment?”


“You know she loves school,” Justin reminded his husband.


“Good, and it better stay that way.”


“Why are you so negative today?”


“I’m not negative.”


“I take that back. Why are you so argumentative today?”


“I’m…” Brian was about to deny that too, but he realized he was being argumentative. “Kinnetik is doing very well without me,” Brian said slowly.


“Ah,” Justin replied. He understood immediately. “And you don’t like that.”


“They don’t really need me,” Brian griped.


“Until there’s an emergency of some kind.”


Brian raised an eyebrow. “I guess.”


“Brian,” Justin said gently, “you’ll always be needed at Kinnetik. It’s your company.”


“I know, but it’s not the same.” Justin waited for the next statement suspecting what was coming. “Is this what happens when you get older? You become less and less important?”


Justin smiled gently. “You are the most important person in the whole world to me … and Bree … and John and Bobby … and…”


“Stop!” Brian ordered. “I’m talking about the business world.”


“But it’s the same in all worlds. I had the same kind of realization about Bree today.” Justin had decided this might be a good place to bring up what had happened with Bree earlier.


“I thought you said nothing happened today.”


“Well, something did, and I know you’re not going to like it.”


“Fuck! What?”


“It’s nothing serious,” Justin said quickly. “Bree wanted to know about school starting, and I told her to look at the calendar.” Brian shook his head and looked questioningly at his husband. They both knew that Bree could read a calendar with no problem. “She proceeded to tell me that she didn’t need to learn how to use the calendar, she already knew.”


“So?”


“She wanted me to do it for her because it was no fun being independent.”


“Is this going somewhere or are you tormenting me to take my mind off Kinnetik?” Bree’s comment would have been cute if Brian wasn’t so irritated.


Justin chuckled. “She really is independent, Brian, in so many ways. But sometimes she’s our little girl too.”


“Just the way I like her,” Brian stated.


“I know, but she needs to develop more … outside of this place.”


“This place?”


“Edna’s Treasures.”


“How so?” Brian frowned. He didn’t like where this was going.


“She got me thinking about expanding her horizons.”


“To where?”


“We know she loves music. Maybe we should get tickets to the symphony … before she decides that rap is the music she likes.”


“Did you like the symphony?” Brian asked pointedly.


“Not particularly, but I’m glad my mom took me.”


“So that you could appreciate violin concerts?” Brian asked bitterly.


“No, so that I knew there was more to life than just what was popular in music.”


“Are you saying we have been depriving our daughter of culture?”


“I guess I am … a bit. But it’s mostly that she’s of the age to start appreciating some of those things. We could take her to the ballet too.”


“And we could watch the men’s crotches in those very tight … tights.”


Justin laughed. “If that’s what gets you through it.”


“Do we have to do opera as well?” Brian asked snarkily.


Justin smiled knowing that Brian was unconsciously agreeing to his suggestions. “We could go at least once,” Justin conceded.


“And if Bree likes it?”


“We can stand it once or twice a year.”


“Speak for yourself.”


“I am. I can go without you … if necessary.”


“Now who’s being independent?”


“You know I’ve always been independent,” Justin reminded him.


“Yeah, more than I care to admit.”


“So, are we agreed that we should start expanding Bree’s cultural horizons?”


“If you say so,” Brian admitted grudgingly.


“Bree’s going to hate it all, if you act like this. You know that, Brian. If you let on that you can barely tolerate it, Bree will pick that up. Try to enjoy it with us.”


“Okay, okay, I will.”


“And you know that you’re needed here, and at Kinnetik, and by Bree. We all need you.”


“Yeah, to buy the fucking tickets for all these cultural extravaganzas.”


“You are so full of shit, Brian Kinney,” Justin stated. He stood up from the table and walked around to slide onto Brian’s lap. He kissed the lips he loved so much. “We’ll have fun going to concerts.”


“If you say so, Sunshine. It must be the truth.”



*****



“Schmidt!”


“Yes, boss,” Ted said into his phone.


“How difficult is it to get tickets to the symphony?”


“Symphony?”


“Yes, need I repeat myself? The symphony.”


“It shouldn’t be too difficult at all, Boss,” Ted hastily stated. “But it also depends on whether you pick a popular program to see. They sometimes sell out.”


“The symphony has popular programs?” Brian asked in wonder.


“Yes, Boss.”


“And they actually sell out?”


“Yes, Boss.”


“What would constitute a popular program?”


“Mozart is pretty popular.”


“Why?”


“Why what?” Ted asked with a frown. This was the most peculiar conversation he had had with Brian Kinney in a very long time.


“Why is Mozart popular?” Brian repeated, the edge in his voice making it clear to Ted that he better have a good answer quickly.


“Oh, I guess because his music is quite lyrical. It’s easy to listen to while being very beautiful.”


“Is there a Mozart program like that this season?” Brian asked.


“I don’t know. I’d have to check.”


“Find out and let me know,” Brian ordered.


“May I ask why?”


“We want to expose Bree to some of the classical traditions, like symphony, ballet…”


“Opera?” Ted said hopefully.


“Possibly,” Brian conceded. He didn’t want to jump totally into this culture thing without knowing more about what he was getting into.


Ted grinned. Brian Kinney was asking for his expertise in an area other than accounting. Ted basked in that feeling for a moment.


“Schmidt!”


“Yes, boss. Sorry, boss.”


“Find out what would be a good program to take Bree to, and get me three tickets if you can.”


“I’m on it, boss.”


“Make it happen,” Brian said before he cut the connection.



*****



“So, what did Ted say?” Justin asked as Brian came down the stairs from his office.


“He’s looking into it,” Brian replied.


“I thought he’d be all over it,” Justin said as he stepped back to get a better look at what he was painting. It was another flower painting since they seemed to be very popular. It was a slightly skewed version of an anthurium, a bright red flower they had seen many of in Hawaii.


“I like that,” Brian said as he came up behind Justin.


Justin smiled at Brian over his shoulder. “I like it too. That was a good trip.”


“Even with all the injuries?”


“Even with…”


“You’re nuts, you know.”


“I know,” Justin replied with a little chuckle. “Whenever we have alone time together is good to me.”


“Even if it’s in a hospital waiting room?”


“That was only a small percentage of our trip.”


“It seemed like we were there every day.”


Justin turned around and stood on his tiptoes to kiss Brian on the lips.


“What’s that for?”


“It’s because I wanted to.”


“Okaaay,” Brian said with a grin. “Ted says there are popular classical composers,” Brian explained changing the subject back to what Justin had originally asked. Brian’s look of disbelief about what Ted had told him made Justin chuckle. “Mozart is supposed to be the most popular.”


“Ted thinks Bree will like Mozart?” Justin questioned.


Brian nodded. “Seems like that is the most likely one. He’s checking if they have a Mozart program this coming season.”


“I really want her to like the symphony,” Justin stated.


“I know, Sunshine.”


“Do you think she will?”


“If she gets to wear her pink dress and her froggie jewelry, she’ll like it.”


“You know how to reduce the most beautiful things to their basest components,” Justin averred with a shake of his head.


“It’s a talent not too many of us possess,” Brian replied smugly.


“Thank God!”


Brian snorted as he went to get a coffee in the kitchen.



*****



“So what’s the scoop?” Brian asked as he spoke into the phone to Ted some time later.


“The symphony is doing a Mozart program at the beginning of October.”


“Ah, a month’s reprieve,” Brian said.


“You know, Bri, if you don’t want to go, I’d be happy to take Bree. Allen will be playing that night. I could take her backstage after the concert.”


Brian seriously thought about that offer. “Thanks anyway, Ted, but Justin really wants us to go as a family.”


“I could make sure I’m there, and then you could get the backstage treatment anyway. In fact, it might be better to do it before the concert, since it will be quite late when it’s over.”


“Don’t get your tits in an uproar,” Brian advised snidely. “Bree may not like the symphony at all.”


“I think she’ll love it,” Ted averred.


“Remains to be seen.”


“If she hears that tone of voice from you, she’ll be sure to hate it,” Ted informed his boss. He felt that needed to be said even if it caused the wrath of Kinney to come down on him.


Brian snorted loudly. There was a long pause, and then Brian grudgingly admitted, “Justin told me the same thing.”


“Justin’s right.”


“Okay, Schmidt, enough of the lecture. Are there tickets available for this Mozart performance?”


“You do realize that Mozart will not be personally performing?” Ted asked.


“Yes, I fucking do! Do you think I’m an idiot?”


“No, boss, no, never! There are plenty of tickets. It’s still early.”


“Get us three, and one for yourself … if you must,” Brian said rather ungraciously.


“How could I refuse such a charming offer,” Ted said with his own sarcasm.


“Just get one for yourself,” Brian repeated without the snark. “We’ll see if Bree would like a tour before the concert begins.”


“Yes, Boss,” Ted said with a smile. Brian Kinney was going to enjoy this concert too, if Ted had anything to say about it.


Brian cut the connection and went looking for Justin.


“Sunshine,” Brian said, “we are about to purchase tickets for the symphony. Do you want to change your mind before it’s too late?” Brian knew he wouldn’t.


“Absolutely not!”


“Ted’s coughing up the money as we speak.”


“Should we see if Patrick would like to go?” Justin asked.


“I already know the answer to that,” Brian said tongue in cheek.


“John and Bobby might like him to come with us. A little culture never hurt anyone.”


“Except when you get a stiff neck from sleeping in those awful seats.”


“How do you know they’re awful? Have you been to the symphony?”


Brian shook his head. His family never had the money or the inclination to attend a symphony. And when he grew up, the symphony wasn’t cool. Clubs and drugs and drinking were cool. He wanted something better than that for Bree.

 

“Perhaps we should talk to both children about this plan,” Brian finally said.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

The Naked Truth


Chapter 6






With quiet feet, Justin rounded the spiral staircase and stopped just at the top of the stairs. For several moments he watched the handsome brunet working, thoroughly engrossed in his task. Justin smiled at the furrowed lines of concentration creasing the man’s brow. The piercing hazel eyes were focused solely on the materials before him.


Justin softly coughed to get the man’s attention without startling him.


“Hey,” the brunet greeted Justin with a pleasant smile.


“What are you working on?” Justin asked as he walked closer to the desk to peer at the plans laid out on it.


“The Village reclamation has been so successful that the Mayor of Pittsburgh asked us to look into other rundown buildings and neighborhoods. But he doesn’t want huge areas torn down and replaced. He’d like us to go neighborhood by neighborhood to see what types of building would fit.”


“Fit?”


“For example, not all neighborhoods need a diner or an apartment building. Maybe the neighborhood can use a few one or two family homes instead. It depends on what’s more appropriate to the area,” John explained.


“Oh. Fits,” Justin agreed with a flirty smile. John arched a brow in a familiar way making Justin chuckle.


“Justin, you didn’t come up here,” John leaned to the side and spied Justin’s messenger bag, “with your sketch pad, to discuss my next project. Did you?”


“Nope. I came up here to draw you.”


“Draw me.”


“Yes.”


“Justin, I am not going to drop trou in my office.”


“Why not? There’s no one home and I know exactly how I want you.”


“Want. Me?”


“Yes. Right here at your drafting table,” Justin said as he pointed to the table. He pulled out his sketch pad and pencil then made himself comfortable on the sofa, waiting for John to take off his clothes.


“Where are the kids?” John asked with suspicion. He gazed toward the balcony railing and down at the sun porch floor below.


“Brian took them to the garden center then he’ll take them for ice cream. We have plenty of time.”


“And Bobby?”


“Surely you’re not embarrassed in front of your partner?”


“I’m not like Brian. I prefer walking around in more than just my birthday suit. Even if I am all by myself.”


“Fine with me, but I have seen you naked. I can do this from memory but it was a while ago. I’ll only need a couple of hours. You don’t have to be totally naked for all of it. And Bobby’s in Pittsburgh strategizing with Melanie.”


“Oh, well I guess I can handle that,” John said as he stood up. He stood behind his desk contemplating the situation. John didn’t know why he was feeling uncomfortable about posing naked for Justin. Justin was right, they had all gone skinny dipping together plus spent weeks living together when the traveled to South America. There was no reason for John to feel embarrassed.


“John, you have an incredible body,” Justin said as if reading John’s mind. “And not because you look like Brian.”


“Brian looks like me,” John deadpanned. “I am the older brother. As he’s so fond of reminding me,” John mumbled. “I’m curious, what differences do you see between us?” John finally removed all his clothes then sat at his drafting table. He picked up a pencil and began a rough plan for a thatched cottage.


“You’re kidding, right?” Justin asked, looking up at his brother-in-law.


“No, I’m not. We could be twins. Everyone says so.”


“And yet I’m sure Bobby and I could tell the differences blindfolded.” Justin’s hand began to fly across the page. The tip of his tongue was peeking out of his mouth as he worked. John smiled, he was so glad to see Justin back to his ‘bad as new’ self again.


“‘Splain to me,” John said in his best Ricky Ricardo voice. Justin laughed.


“Okay. I won’t repeat the similarities because they are obvious.”


“Obviously,” John snarked without looking up from his table.


“Brian has the best thigh muscles. Yours are very firm but his are more defined. I’m sure a lot of it is due to the fact that he did play soccer but he’s also obsessed with his treadmill. Your upper body is heavier; your muscles are more pronounced. That makes sense too. You’re always lifting something or using heavy equipment. It stands to reason that your arms would be more muscular. And there’s one more thing,” Justin said with a slight blush tinting his cheeks.


“What’s that?” John asked finally looking up from his table. The clear sharp hazel eyes met the deep blue eyes. Justin’s blush deepened.


“You smell different,” Justin whispered. John’s eyes widened thinking his natural body odor was somehow offensive. “That’s not what I mean. Brian smells almost spicy where you smell more earthy. Both are very...pleasant.” Justin was going to say sexy but he was making good progress on his sketch and he didn’t want to spook his model.


“Oh,” John said with a shrug of his shoulders. He bowed his head as he went back to his plans.


“Are you designing a new building?” Justin asked after a while. He had been concentrating on his sketch, trying to get the lines right when he felt a slight cramp in his hand. Justin needed to take a break before his hand totally cramped up. He put his pencil down and began to flex his hand.


“Sort of. There’s room for another house on the other side of Molly’s cottage. I always wanted to construct a thatched cottage,” John said absentmindedly.


“Wow! That’s ambitious. Who’s it for?”


“I’m not sure. I guess it could be a guest cottage or maybe for Lindsay since...”


“I think she might like that idea.”


“I might not be obsessed with a treadmill but...”


“But you are passionate about cottages.” Justin looked up and smiled brilliantly at John. John’s handsome face shone back at him. Justin gasped for a second. John was as beautiful as his brother but in his own way.


Justin stood up then circled his model. John went back to his drafting as Justin stood behind him. John could hear the sounds of Justin’s pencil as it scratched across the pad. Justin studied the strong lines of John’s back as it met the top of his firm buttocks. John was a beautiful man.


Beauty.


Justin surrounded himself with the beauties of the world but the world wasn’t always a beautiful place. He began to realize that he needed the ugliness to remind himself just how lucky he really was. Maybe he should be painting the ugliness as well. Maybe that was the truth he needed to show.


“Justin? Justin, are you all right?” John asked carefully when the sounds of Justin’s pencil stopped behind him.


“I’m fine, John. And I’m done.”


“Already? I was beginning to like working in the nude,” John remarked with a gleam in his eyes.


“Well I won’t stop you,” Justin replied with a devilish smile and a mischievous waggle of his eyebrows.


“No, I don’t suppose you would,” John chuckled. “Perhaps it’s better if I got dressed. What are your plans for the rest of the day?”


“I have more work to do on my other sketches but I think I’ll go down to visit Michael for a while.”


“I’m in the mood for barbecue tonight. Let them know they’re invited. Gerry and Todd too.”


“Will do!” Justin said as he packed up his pad and pencil before going down the spiral staircase. “John, your reclamation project? Some of the areas you go into aren’t very pretty, are they?”


“No, they’re not but I’d like to think that they’ll look a hell of a lot better when we’re done.”


“Do you think I could come with you? I’d like to take some pictures.”


John pulled up his pants then reached for his shirt, fascinating Justin with the rippling of his muscles. “I don’t have a problem with it. I’ll let you know when I’m scheduled for a ‘look-see.’ Okay?”


Justin stopped staring when John finally donned his shirt. He nodded then began to descend the stairs. “I’m on to you, Anderson!” Justin shouted up to John, getting a Kinney-like giggle in response.


“They are waaay too much alike,” Justin mumbled to himself as he walked down to the new cottage.



*****



“Dada, I want these for the Wendy house,” Bree said decisively.


Brian walked over to where his daughter was looking at a pot of kale. It was pale pink and mauve and purple with deep green leaves.


“You already have mums. Remember, you had Taylor help you plant them.”


“But these are real pretty. I think they would look good with the mums.” The mums they had bought for the Wendy house were a deep burgundy. They were almost purple, so the kale would look striking with them.


“Fall flowers?” he asked.


“Yes, Dada. We have to go back to school, so it must be Fall.”


“Have you heard of the autumnal equinox?” Brian asked. Bree shook her head. She didn’t like it when she should know something and didn’t.


“I know what it is, Uncle Bri,” Patrick volunteered.


Bree scowled at her cousin. She wanted to know as much as he did, but she never seemed to be able to catch up.


“Perhaps you could tell Bree about it,” Brian suggested.


“Sure,” Patrick agreed. “It’s still summer until around the twenty-first of September. That’s the day when the hours of daylight and dark are the same length,” he explained. “After that it will be Fall. The days start getting much shorter.”


“Very good, young man,” Brian said squeezing Patrick’s shoulder. “Do you understand, Bree?”


“Yes,” she whispered. She understood more than she wanted to. She hated being the only one who didn’t know.


“So,” Brian said, “maybe we should wait a couple of weeks before we get these fall flowers.”


“Will they die if we take them now?” Bree asked. She stared at Patrick daring him to answer that one. He kept silent.


“No, I don’t suppose they would,” Brian admitted.


“I want them for the flower boxes on the Wendy house,” Bree said. “The mums that are there need…” Bree didn’t know how to finish that sentence, but she knew she wanted more flowers for her boxes.


“Accompaniment,” Brian supplied.


“Yes,” Bree said happy that her father understood.


“Then perhaps we should get the kale, autumnal equinox or not.”


“Yes, please, Dada.”


“How many pots do you think we need?” Brian asked. He wanted Bree to figure this out for herself.


“Can we cut them up, Dada?” Bree asked with a frown.


“That doesn’t work with kale,” Brian replied.


“Then we should get four – two for each box on the Wendy house.”


“Excellent,” Brian replied, pleased with Bree’s calculations. “Donald, could you put four of the kale in the SUV for us?” he asked the man who was rearranging some of the displays for the fall flowers that were coming to the garden center.


“Sure, Mr. Kinney.” Donald grabbed a cart and wheeled it over to the kale.


“Mind if the kids stay with you? I want a word with Todd,” Brian added.


“No problem.” Donald loaded the pots of kale that Bree picked out onto the flat cart.


“Oh, and throw in a couple of bags of mulch,” Brian said before he disappeared into the store.


“Mr. Donald,” Bree said as she watched him load the cart.


“Yes, young lady.”


“How come Hope never comes to my piano lessons no more?”


“She stays with me when Faith is giving her lessons.”


“But, don’t you have to work?” Bree asked.


“Sometimes Hope comes here. She sits over there and reads,” Donald said.


Bree looked at the picnic table that Mr. Donald had pointed to. “She reads a lot.” Donald nodded in agreement.


“She doesn’t like me so much,” Bree stated.


“Really?” Donald was surprised that this little girl would tell him that, and that his daughter made it evident that she didn’t like someone. “I’m sure she just gets bored waiting around for her mother.”


“Maybe,” Bree said, but she knew Hope really didn’t like her. She was pretty glad that Hope rarely came with her mother to Edna’s Treasures anymore.


“Ready to go, kids?” Brian called as he came out of the garden center.


“Yes, Dada.”


“Yes, Uncle Bri,” Patrick replied. “Are we going for ice cream?”


“That would be a yes,” Brian said with a smile.


“Yay!” both children yelled.



*****



“What flavor do you want, Patrick?” Brian asked.


The red-haired boy was reading all the names of the ice cream flavors and staring into the freezers trying to make a decision. “I don’t know yet.”


Brian had decided to drive into Harrisburg to try out a new ice cream parlor that had opened there. They were now in that parlor, but neither child seemed to be able to make a decision about what they wanted.


“Bree,” Brian said, “have you decided?”


“I want … pralines and cream.”


“Good,” Brian said with relief.


“Or pistachio,” she added.


Brian groaned inwardly. He’d have to wait till they decided. Why had he chosen a new place? If they had gone to the general store, the choice of flavors was much more limited. They would have been home by now. Brian continued to wait.


“Rocky road,” Patrick said after a couple of minutes.


“Are you sure?” Brian asked.


“Yes, Uncle Bri, rocky road.”


“One scoop or two?”


“Um…”


Why did he never learn, Brian wondered. He should have just said one scoop and been done with it.


“My Dad says I should only have one, but I could eat two,” Patrick said hopefully.


“Let’s live dangerously,” Brian replied. “Two scoops of rocky road,” he told the pock faced kid behind the counter.


“Bree?” Brian said making it clear that a decision was required.


“Pralines and cream,” his daughter responded.


“Finally. One scoop of pralines and cream,” Brian ordered.


The kid handed Brian Patrick’s ice cream cone and began making Bree’s.


“What are you going to have, Dada?” Bree asked.


“Nothing.”


“You should have some ice cream,” Bree informed him. “It’s good for you.”


“Good for me?”


“Yes, it will make you feel good.”


Brian took Bree’s cone and handed it to her. “You two sit down at that table while I pay for the cones.”


The children went to the table and sat down, licking their cones and commenting about how good the ice cream was. Brian paid the kid behind the counter.


“Are we going now, Dada?” Bree asked when Brian came over to the table.


“I think we’ll just sit here until you’re done with your cones. That way we won’t have to clean the SUV when we get home.”


“Good thinking, Uncle Bri,” Patrick said with approval.


Brian chuckled. “Thanks.”


“Dada, have a bite of my ice cream. It’s real good. I like it.”


Brian looked at the cone calculating how many calories would be in a little nibble. He was about to say no.


“You can have some of mine too,” Patrick said. “Two scoops is a lot of ice cream.”


“You don’t have to eat it all,” Brian advised. “If it’s too much, you can throw it away.”


“I don’t want to waste it,” Patrick admonished. He took another bite.


“And I don’t want to hear your fathers lambasting me if you get a stomach ache.”


“Here, Dada,” Bree said handing him her mostly eaten cone. “I’m full.”


“Me too,” Patrick said following suit.


Brian smiled at his daughter. She was a smart little cookie. He tossed the remainder of the cones in the trash bin and they left the shop.



*****



On the way back to Edna’s Treasures, Bree had a question for her father. “Dada, is Unca Mikey getting better?”


“What made you think about that?” Brian asked looking in the rearview mirror at his daughter.


“I want him to be better.”


“We all do.”


“So is he getting better?”


“I think so, but maybe we could ask Gerry. He should have a good idea how Michael’s doing.”


“Is Mr. Gerry in love with Mr. Todd?”


Brian groaned. How did a simple conversation always turn to something he’d rather not be talking about? “Todd told me he and Gerry are coming to dinner tonight, you could ask them,” he suggested.


“Okay,” Bree said happily.


Brian smirked at how easy that one had been.


“I think they should get married like my dads,” Patrick said with great wisdom.


“You do, huh?”


“Yep, I can tell they really like each other. Maybe they could come live on our lane, and then if anybody got hurt Mr. Gerry would be there to help them. And Mr. Todd could help with the gardens.”


“Sounds like you have their whole lives planned out for them,” Brian observed.


“I’m really good at planning. My dad says so.”


“I wouldn’t be telling Todd and Gerry about your plans though,” Brian warned.


“Why not?” Patrick asked with a frown.


“People like to make their own plans. They don’t like to be told what to do.”


“But Dad says that sometimes people need a push in the right direction.”


“I could give them a push,” Bree volunteered. She agreed with what Patrick had said, but she didn’t like being left out of the conversation.


“Maybe you both should keep your plans to yourselves,” Brian advised.


“Why?” Bree asked.


‘Here we go again,’ Brian thought to himself. He stepped down on the gas pedal. Maybe he could get home before he had to answer any more difficult questions.

 

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

The Naked Truth


Chapter 7






“So what do you think of our chances?” Emmett asked the two lawyers that were sitting in his kitchen. Richie was spending as much time at the GLC as he could before the official opening of the new school season. He had several outfits that were almost ready to been sold on consignment at Torso.


“So far the Crosses haven’t objected to Judge Schultz or to keeping this a quiet, private adoption,” Bobby informed Emmett.


Drew topped off everyone’s coffee cup then sat next to his spouse. “So you think they won’t fight us?” Drew asked, taking Emmett’s hand.


“No, actually just the opposite,” Melanie said.


“What do you mean?” Emmett asked, searching their faces.


“When I called to find out who’s representing them, they almost seemed relieved,” Bobby explained.


“Relieved?” both Emmett and Drew said.


“Yes. Melanie and I have an appointment with the judge in thirty minutes.”


“We should get going,” Melanie added as she looked at her watch. “Parking sucks down there.” Bobby nodded as he got up from his chair.


“Is that why you two look very lawyer-ish?” Emmett asked. “Should Drew and I get changed and go with you?”


“No, Emmett, there’s no need,” Melanie said as gently as she could, patting the tall queen’s hand.


“But why?”


“Emm, this is just a preliminary meeting. A lot of legal mumbo jumbo. If we’re lucky, the Crosses will want this to go as smoothly as possible. Right now the best that we can hope for is another appointment with the judge for interviews. Judge Schultz will want to have a private chat with the Crosses, with the both of you and with Richie,” Bobby explained.


“Bobby, we should go,” Mel stated. “Emmett, we’ll call you when we’re done,” she said.


“All right,” Emm said as Drew showed the lawyers out. “Oh, Drewsie!” Emmett burst into tears the minute the door was closed. All Drew could do was hug his spouse.


“What do you think of our chances?” Bobby asked Mel as they drove toward the courthouse.


“I think we have a very good chance. But we should be prepared for the worst.”


“I always am,” Bobby said as he concentrated on the road.



*****



Looking very professional, Bobby and Mel waited until called into the judge’s chambers. When they were finally summoned, the judge apologized for making them wait.


“Melanie, you’re looking well. We miss you,” the judge greeted Melanie pleasantly.


“Thank you, Judge Schultz, I miss all of you too,” Mel said as she shook the judge’s hand.


“Mr. Morrison, I’m not sure if we’ve met before. Although I think I would have remembered you,” the judge said as she extended her hand to the red-headed lawyer.


“No, ma’am, I don’t think we’ve officially been introduced although I do know you by reputation, and you’re quite revered in my family.” Bobby explained further, “You were instrumental in the adoption of Curtis Samuels. Raphael and Hector are close friends.”


“Yes, I remember that case. The boy came from an abusive foster home and was living on the street. How is he doing?”


“The young man is almost through with high school. He’s thinking of becoming a vet like his adoptive father. He’s also considering becoming a fireman like his grandfather.”


“It’s good to hear he has options,” the judge pointed out.


“Yes, ma’am, he does,” Bobby agreed.


“Mr. Morrison, where do you usually practice?” The judge took a seat at her desk and indicated that Mel and Bobby should sit as well.


“Harrisburg, your honor, and normally business law. I specialize in charitable and not-for-profit organizations.”


“Bobby was very active in the Jason Kemp Center,” Mel explained further.


“Yes. John Anderson did restoration of the center, the theater and the bowling alley. Brian Kinney helped to finance the project,” the judge recalled.


“Brian is my brother-in-law.”


“You have a very generous family, Mr. Morrison. I appreciate all the work you and your family have done in many of the communities here. Now, shall we get to work? I’d like that young man to have a permanent home, and soon,” the judge said becoming all business.


Melanie and Bobby nodded as the judge’s clerk opened the chamber door and ushered in the opposing council.



*****



“So how did it go?” Emmett asked the minute he opened his door and saw Bobby and Melanie standing there.


“I think it went well,” Bobby replied as he stepped over the threshold. “Their lawyer seemed very amenable to our proposal. And it’s as we suspected, Mr. and Mrs. Cross would prefer to keep the adoption quiet and out of the public eye. They have no objection to having Judge Schultz make the final determination.”


“I’ve worked with their lawyer before. He’s sharp but he’s fair. All they want to know is that their son is in a good home. And we certainly have the documentation to prove it.”


“We have another appointment next Tuesday,” Bobby said. “With any luck, by Tuesday night, Richie will be your official son!” Bobby announced with a bright smile. Emmett burst into happy tears then threw his arms around his two lawyers. Drew let out the breath he was holding then threw himself into the fray.


“Will you stay for dinner?” Emmett managed to say.


“I have to get home but thank you,” Bobby said. “There’s no reason why you can’t stay,” Bobby said to Mel.


“Are you sure? I know I’m not the most favorite person in the family,” Mel said contritely.


“Little lady,” Drew began with a deep southern drawl, “Emmett and I would be very pleased to have you join us for dinner. And we would be very pleased to see you safely back to your hotel later.”


Melanie smiled prettily.


“Then it’s all settled. Emm, Drew, I’ll be in touch. Melanie, we did good work today,” Bobby pronounced with an honesty that touched Melanie.


“Yes, we did,” Mel agreed. “Goodnight, Bobby.”


“Night, guys,” Bobby said as he walked out the door. He was still smiling as he got into his car and started for home.



*****



Bobby pulled through the gate at Edna’s Treasures and started up the lane. He noted Todd’s truck parked in front of the new cottage. He must be visiting Gerry, Bobby surmised with a smile. There had been a lot of visiting lately.


He pulled the car to a stop beside Edna’s Treasures and headed into his side of the conjoined cottages. No one was there. He knew he was a little later than usual, but he had expected his family to be home when he got there. He headed to the sun porch to see if that’s where they might be. No one was there either.


Then he heard laughter from outside. He turned and looked out at the lawn and gardens. There were considerably more bodies there than he had expected to see.


“What’s going on?” he called as he stepped out of the sun porch.


“There’s my tardy mate,” John said as he walked over to his husband. He gave Bobby a warm kiss.


“What’s this all about?” Bobby repeated, noting that John was wearing a chef’s hat, sporting a Kiss the Chef apron and wielding a monstrous barbecue fork.


“I’m barbecuing,” John said proudly.


“No shit,” Bobby laughed.


“Hi, Poppa,” Patrick said approaching his father. “How did the meeting go?”


“Things are looking good. Melanie’s making sure that we’re prepared for any eventuality, but it looks like things are going to go smoothly.”


“That’s great,” John said with another kiss for his brilliant husband. “Emmett and Drew must be so happy.”


“They’re over the moon, although we’re trying to keep them from getting ahead of themselves. Things have a way of cropping up when you least expect them.”


“I’m sure you can handle whatever happens,” Brian said as he handed Bobby a beer. “Especially with the help of … Melanie.” He had been about to call her Smelly Melly, but he remembered that his nickname for Lindsay’s ex wasn’t appreciated by everyone. He had become such a wuss where people’s feelings were concerned. He never used to give a shit.


“Hey, little bro’,” John repeated trying to get Brian’s attention. “I could use a little help on the grill.”


“I thought you were the master chef tonight,” Brian said taking a pull from his own beer.


“I am the master for tonight, but I don’t have four hands,” John protested.


“Coming, your highness,” Brian said setting down his beer and following his brother to the grill.


“Are they always like that?” Todd asked as he got himself another beer.


“Pretty much,” Justin said with a chuckle. “There’s always been a bit of rivalry, but also lots of love between them.”


“It’s a miracle they found each other,” Gerry observed. He had heard the story of Justin’s Sunshine File and how it had led them to the farm.


“They were lucky to finally meet. Our lives are so different since we found John and Claire. They’re a big part of why we live here,” Justin said.


“You’ve created a little utopia here on Edna’s Treasures Lane,” Ben observed.


“Are we going to eat soon?” Bree demanded once everyone stopped speaking. She had waited impatiently until they finished.


“Are you hungry?” Justin asked looking down at his petite daughter.


“Yes, Daddy, starving.”


“Well, in that case let’s see if the two chefs are finished cooking.” Justin took Bree’s hand and they walked over to the grills. “How are the master chefs doing? I have a hungry young lady here.”


“I’m merely the sous-chef,” Brian said with a smirk. “My big brother is totally in charge of this meal. I take no responsibility for the results. We can only hope that the results will live up to the usual standards to which everyone has become accustomed when I cook.”


“You are a horse’s ass sometimes,” John said giving Brian an elbow to the ribs. “How hard is it to cook some steaks and burgers?”


“Very hard,” Brian reacted. “I keep telling everyone how hard I have to work. Don’t spoil it for me,” he whispered way too loud to his brother.


John laughed heartily. “Your burger is ready, Miss Briana,” he said with a deep bow. Then he dished up the burger for his niece before yelling across the yard, “Dinner is served.”


Bree bounced up and down before her Uncle John handed her the plate. She took it, turned quickly and was about to race to the sun porch where she knew there was ketchup and salad to complete her meal.


“Halt!” Brian said. Bree stayed rooted to the ground. “No running with a plate in your hands. Remember?”


“Yes, Dada.”


“I’ll walk with you,” Patrick said when he had claimed a burger of his own from his father.


“Thanks,” Bree said as they walked slowly towards the sun porch each carefully carrying their plate. “How does Dada always know what I’m going to do?” she asked her older, wiser cousin.


“I think it’s a parent thing,” Patrick opined. He sounded very serious.


“Do you learn how to do that when you have a baby?”


“Probably.”


Patrick opened the door of the sun porch for Bree.


“Is dinner ready?” Michael asked. He had been in the bathroom.


“Yes, Unca Mikey,” Bree replied. “Do you want me to tell Dada to bring you some steak?”


“Ben will get me something,” Michael said. He sat down at the big table. Sometimes a trip to the bathroom wore him out, but today he seemed to be able to do that without too much trouble at all. “You eat your burger.”


“I could share with you,” Bree offered.


Michael smiled. “That’s very generous,” Michael told her, “but I’ll wait for Ben to bring me something.”


“’Kay,” Bree said. She sat down at the table beside her Unca Mikey and Patrick sat beside her.


“Could you pass the ketchup?” Patrick asked.


“Certainly,” Michael replied reaching for the bottle of ketchup.


“Thanks,” Patrick said before squirting a big dollop of ketchup on the top of his burger.


“Do mine,” Bree ordered.


“What do you say?” Patrick asked with a bit of mischief in his voice.


“Please,” Bree conceded with a sigh. Everybody liked ordering her around. Patrick covered her burger with a squirt of ketchup. “Yum,” she said as she pressed the top of the bun onto her burger. She took a big bite. “Double yum,” she added as she chewed happily.


“You should have some salad with your burger,” Michael advised.


“’Kay,” Bree agreed holding her plate out so that Michael could dish up some salad for her.


“Patrick?” Michael asked.


“Sure.” Patrick held out his plate too, and Michael gave the boy a pile of salad.


“I wonder what’s taking them so long,” Michael pondered out loud. He was getting hungry too, and that didn’t happen very often these days. Maybe that was a sign that he was starting to get better.


“Unca Mikey,” Bree said when she swallowed her bite of burger, “are you feeling better?”


Michael thought about that. “You know, I think I am. I have a little more energy today. Maybe I should go get my own dinner.”


“I bet Uncle Ben would like it if you did,” Patrick said having heard his dads talk about the slow progress that Michael seemed to be making. “He wants you to get better real fast.”


“Me too, Patrick, me too,” Michael said standing up. He would get his own dinner. He headed out the door.


“Should Unca Mikey do that?” Bree whispered to Patrick.


“I heard my dad say that Uncle Michael needs to do as much as he can. That way he will get stronger.”


“Oh.”


“If he thinks he can walk out there and get dinner then he should,” Patrick advised.


“Oh,” Bree repeated. She wondered how Patrick knew all this stuff.


At that moment Todd and Gerry came in carrying their steaks. They joined Bree and Patrick at the big table.


“Are your burgers good?” Gerry asked the children.


“Yep,” they both responded.


“Make sure you tell your Uncle John that they’re good. Your Dada is giving him a hard time about his cooking,” Gerry advised.


“I will,” Patrick said.


“Me too,” Bree added. “My Dada likes to give people a hard time … specially me.”


Todd just about spit his mouthful of beer across the table. When he managed to swallow, he asked, “What does he give you a hard time about, Bree.”


“Not running with a plate in my hands,” she griped remembering what had happened just a few minutes earlier. “Saying things properly, telling him where I am, doing good in school, being nice to people even if they don’t deserve it…”


“Um, o-kaaay,” Todd said. That was much more than he had expected and not at all what he would have thought Brian Kinney would be doing. He had expected her to say she had to keep her room neat and her clothes clean. That was the anal Brian Kinney he was familiar with.


Bree swallowed another bite of her burger. “Mr. Gerry, are you and Mr. Todd going to get married like my daddies?” she asked.


It was Gerry’s turn to almost spew. “What makes you ask that?” he wanted to know once he had recovered.


“You like each other,” was Bree’s simple answer.


“Yes we do,” Gerry agreed, “but I’m not sure we’re ready for such a big step as marriage.” He looked at Todd.


Todd grinned and didn’t say anything.


“My dad says married men live longer,” Patrick supplied. He learned a lot by listening to his father.


“Is that right?” Gerry asked.


“I think the lad has a point,” Todd said with a wink.


“Are you suggesting…?”


“Maybe…”


“What’s being suggested?” Justin asked as he entered the sun porch and sat down at the table. He had just caught the end of the conversation.


“Did you put your daughter up to asking us if we were going to get married?” Gerry asked.


“No, I didn’t,” Justin replied in all innocence.


“Dada did,” Bree stated with pride. “I asked him if you were going to get married, and he told me to ask you.”


“He would,” Todd chuckled.


“So are you getting married?” Brian asked as he entered the sun porch and joined them.


“We haven’t even thought about it,” Gerry said.


“Speak for yourself,” Todd jumped in.


“You mean…?”


“Yeah, once or twice,” Todd said with a big grin. “Hey, a guy can dream, can’t he?”


“You could have the ceremony in the backyard or by the stream,” Justin suggested. “My mother got married out there.” He pointed to the lawn outside the sun porch.


“Who’s having a ceremony?” Michael asked as he, Ben and John all came in from outside, each carrying a plate with their steak on it.


“Nobody,” Gerry said trying not to look amazed at this turn of events.


“Just talking about marriage,” Todd said with a wink.


“I’d highly recommend it,” Michael said.


“Me too,” Ben agreed kissing his partner’s cheek. He was so pleased that Michael seemed to have more life in him today.


“I don’t think you’re ready to be attending a wedding just yet,” Gerry cautioned Michael.


“I am if it’s yours,” Michael joked.


“I can’t win, can I?” Gerry asked with a laugh.


“One thing you need to learn, my friend,” Brian said. “If something is spoken at Edna’s Treasures, it often comes true.” He sat back and smirked at the physiotherapist that he had come to like immensely.

 

Gerry knew he had something to think about, something that he had never thought about before in his life.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

The Naked Truth


Chapter 8






“Mama, can you get that for me, please!” Gus called out over his shoulder as he was rolling his suitcases through the loft door. The loft phone was ringing while Gus was loading up his Jeep. It was time for Gus to drive back to Penn State. Melanie was helping Gus pack up his stuff and all the food that Debbie and Emmett had cooked and frozen.


“Sure, honey,” Mel replied as she went to the desk to get the phone. “Kinney residence,” Mel answered primly.


“I didn’t realize I had you on retainer to answer my phone,” Brian drawled into the phone the moment he realized whose voice he heard.


“I, uh, I’m helping Gus pack; he’s leaving today,” Mel said trying not to provoke Brian. Melanie wanted to spend as much time with her son as she could.


“That explains why I can’t reach him on his cell. I imagine his Grandmaw and fairy godmother have given the boy enough food to feed the entire campus?” Melanie couldn’t help but laugh as she took the portable phone over to Gus’s messenger bag which was on the kitchen counter. The bag was blissfully vibrating away with Gus’ cell phone inside.


“Yeah, I think he has more food than he does clothes. Plus he just had to pack every CD and DVD in his possession. Not to mention every electronic gizmo known to man. I was lucky if I had a tape deck when I went to college.”


“Yes, the good old days when life was simple and we were too poor for electronic gizmos,” Brian deadpanned without malice. “When the boy is finished lugging his stuff to the car, ask him to call me. Remind him that’s there’s a little princess here who will be inconsolable if he doesn’t say goodbye to her.”


“I’ll remind him,” Mel assured Brian.


“He did say goodbye to his mother and JR, didn’t he?”


“We all had dinner together last night. He said goodbye then. Lindsay baked a pie for him to take.” Mel chuckled as did Brian. Just then Gus came back for another load. “Hold on, I think I can get him to talk to you before he brings down the next load,” Mel said as she was about to give Gus the phone.


“Melanie,” Brian began.


“Yes?”


“Thank you for helping Emmett and Drew,” Brian said without reservation.


“I, they deserve to be parents, and Richie deserves parents who love him and will nurture his talents. I know how hard it is for same sex couples to adopt so I’m happy to help,” she said before handing Gus the phone. “It’s your father.”


“Hey, Pop!”


“Hey, Sonny Boy, ready to go?”


“Soon. I have more boxes to shove in the Jeep,” Gus said with a sigh. Brian laughed.


“Your mother told me about the feast that you’re bringing back with you.”


“I won’t have to cook for months. Between Emmett and Debbie, they cooked then flash froze enough food for my whole apartment building.”


“They love you and you’re the first of the kids to go to college. They’re very proud of you. I’m proud of you.”


“Thanks Pop. Listen, Dad, can I call you back in a little while? I’m kinda on a schedule,” Gus asked hoping he wasn’t going to anger his father.


“Sure, Sonny Boy, just don’t forget to call your sister before you leave. It’s going to cost me a fortune in ice cream and Fall plants to console her.” Gus laughed at his father’s pained tone.


“I promise, Pop. Give me about an hour and I’ll call her.”


“Okay, we’ll talk to you later.”


“Okay, later!”


“Wait,” Brian said before Gus hung up the phone.


“Yeah, Pop?”


“Let me talk to your mother again.”


“Daaad?”


“Don’t worry, I can be nice.”


“Suurre you can,” Gus mumbled as he handed the phone back to his mother. “He wants to talk to you,” Gus said with an arch of that Kinney brow. He stood with his arms folded across his chest looking more like Michael while he scrutinized his mother as she took the phone.


“You don’t have to watch me; I can be nice,” Mel stated.


“Suurre you can,” Gus said, not convinced. Mel watched him pick up another box to take to the elevator before she addressed Brian.


“Yes?”


“Where are you staying?”


“Excuse me?”


“It’s a simple question. Where. Are. You. Staying?”


“At the Quality Inn. Why?”


“Must be costing you a pretty penny.”


“I can afford it.”


“I’m sure you can but you won’t have to if you accept my offer.”


“What offer?”


“Full use of the loft while you’re staying in the Pitts and assisting Bobby with Richie’s case.”


“You’re offering to let me stay here?!” Mel’s voice went up a few octaves and Gus nearly dropped the box he was carrying.


“Look, the chef, the quarterback and the young man in question are just downstairs. I have a state of the art computer and a cleaning lady. You and Bobby can work in peace and be close by if you need any further information. Consider it part of your retainer.”


“You’re serious,” Mel asked incredulously.


“Like a heart attack. Melanie, I realize I haven’t given you any reason to trust me but I am sincere in my offer. Emmett has earned his family. I’d hate to see it fall to pieces.” Melanie was stunned into silence. “Melanie? Mel?”


“Oh, sorry. Um, yes! Thank you. I appreciate it. Frankly I was getting tired of that place. And I couldn’t give them a definite checkout date.”


“Well, you can now. There’s a spare key in the desk drawer and Sonny Boy can set you up with your own temporary alarm code. The cleaning lady comes every Tuesday. I’ll let her know that you’ll be staying. Help yourself to the wine. Ted is right next door if you need anything. In fact the whole building is teeming with our family so you won’t be alone.”


“Thank you, Brian.”


“Don’t thank me yet. Just help Emm and Drew adopt that kid,” Brian demanded then hung up before Mel could say anything else.


“Sure,” Mel mumbled into the air. She stared at the phone as if it could explain the enigma known as Brian Kinney. When the phone gave up no secrets, she replaced the handset then sat down at the desk, staring out the window.


“Mama?” Gus asked as he came back into the loft and saw his mother looking shell shocked. “Are you all right?”


“Yes, honey, I’m fine.”


“What are you looking at?”


“Just checking the sky.”


“Checking the...Mama, are you sure you’re okay?” Gus asked with concern. He knelt down in front of Mel to search her eyes. “Mama, what are you looking for?”


“Flying pigs.”



*****



“Ashley!” Bree shrieked as she opened the front door of Edna’s Treasures and raced out to the car that was delivering her best friend in the whole wide world to her house.


“Bree!” Ashley shrieked in return as she hopped out of the car and ran to hug her best friend. They hadn’t seen each other for a whole week. The girls bounced up and down, and then ran into the house to do whatever little girls did. They almost ran Justin down as he came out of the house to greet Susanna.


“Hey,” Justin said as he approached the car.


Susanna was laughing at the antics of their daughters. “Hello, Justin. Are you sure you’re up to looking after those two? They’re bundles of energy.”


Justin shook his head and then smiled. “I wouldn’t have them any other way. What time do you want to pick up Ashley? She’s welcome to stay for dinner. You are too if you’d like.”


“Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I’m going into Harrisburg to shop. I need a new outfit for the first day of school.”


Justin chuckled. “I think that’s what our girls are doing right now – picking out what to wear on the first day of school. I’m told they must match, in color if nothing else.”


“Oh dear,” Susanna said with a concerned look on her face. “Bree has so many clothes, and I just got Ashley one outfit for the first day.”


“I’m sure they’ll work it out,” Justin replied with a gentle smile. Susanna was getting on her feet, but money still wasn’t abundant. Ashley’s father seemed reluctant to pay the required child support.


“You know, if you…”


“No, Justin!” Susanna said firmly. “You and Brian have helped us so much. Ashley and I are doing fine, but we still need to be careful. I hope Bree won’t be too disappointed if Ashley’s outfit doesn’t match hers.”


“I’m sure everything will be fine. They’ll work it out. We’ll see you for dinner?” he asked.


“I’d love it. Is Brian barbecuing?”


“I think I could talk him into it.”


“Great! I’ll see you later.”


Susanna got into her car and Justin watched her drive down the lane. He wondered how a father wouldn’t do everything he could for a wonderful daughter like Ashley. Shaking his head, he went back into the house.



*****



“So what’s your new school outfit like?” Bree asked Ashley as they sat on the bed in Bree’s room.


“I told my mom you’d probably wear pink, so she got me these pink capris with a pale green T-shirt. The T-shirt has pink around the edges.”


“Ooh, sounds nice,” Bree conceded. Her daddy had already warned her to be careful what she said to Ashley about new clothes. The last thing Bree wanted to do was to make Ashley feel bad. “I think I’ll wear this,” Bree said decisively. She pulled out a pair of hot pink capris with a matching T-shirt and a green frog stitched onto the front of it.


Ashley studied it for a minute. “I think it matches. That’s what we should wear.”


“Good,” Bree said with a grin. Her Dada had been right when he said that Ashley would either wear green or blue. They had got outfits that would coordinate with either. Bree put her clothes back in the closet and closed the door. Ashley didn’t need to know that she had another outfit with blue trim.


“Is Gus still here?” Ashley asked hopefully. She really liked Bree’s big brother.


Bree shook her head. “I think he’s in Pittsburgh, but he’s leaving for university some time today. I wish I could go with him.”


“I think you’re smart enough to go to university,” Ashley affirmed. She still thought Bree was the best and smartest person in the whole world.


“I think so too,” Bree stated emphatically. “But everybody tells me I have to finish elementary school first.”


Ashley giggled and smiled at her precocious friend. “I was hoping Gus would be here so I could say goodbye,” she added as her face sobered.


“He’s apposed to call me, but he might forget,” Bree noted sadly.


“Gus wouldn’t forget you,” Ashley told her.


“He might,” Bree said. She thought he should have called by now.


The two girls could hear the phone ring in the main part of the house. They held their breath as someone answered it on the second ring. They waited for one of Bree’s fathers to call her to the phone. That didn’t happen.


“See,” Bree said, “it’s not Gus. He forgot about me.”


Ashley leaned over and hugged her friend. “He’s probably real busy. He has to drive very far today.” Ashley thought the university where Gus was going was far, far away.


“Yeah, but he was apposed to call me,” Bree pouted.


“He will,” Ashley said wanting to believe that her hero, Gus, wouldn’t forget his sister.


“No he won’t,” Bree protested feeling bereft.


“Bree,” Brian called, “Gus is on the phone.” He walked down the hall carrying the portable phone to Bree’s bedroom. He pushed the door open. “Do you want to talk to your brother?” he asked.


“Is it really my Gus?” Bree asked afraid to believe that Gus had finally called her.


“Yes, it is. He didn’t want to leave for Penn State without saying goodbye to you.”


Bree practically leapt off the bed. “GUUUUSSSS!” she shrieked into the phone as she grabbed it out of her father’s hand.


“Easy, short stuff,” Gus cautioned holding the phone away from his ear, so that his eardrums didn’t explode.


“I miss, miss, miss you soooooo much.”


Brian shook his head. “Ashley, would you like some juice while Bree talks to her brother?”


Ashley looked up at the tall man. “I really want to talk to Gus too,” she said with a longing look at Bree who was listening intently to whatever her brother was saying to her. “I want to say goodbye to him.”


“Bree,” Brian whispered, “let Ashley speak to Gus.”


Bree looked up at her father. She was about to refuse when she remembered how much Ashley loved her brother too. She wouldn’t let just anyone take time away from her Gus, but Ashley was her best friend. She told Gus that Ashley wanted to speak to him and bravely handed the phone to her friend.


“Gus!” Ashley said hopefully.


“Hey, princess,” Gus replied.


“Bree and me miss you so much.”


“I miss you guys too.”


“Bree is real happy that you called. She thought you forgot about her.”


“I wouldn’t forget my sister,” Gus replied.


“I know. I told her you would call.”


“And you were right,” Gus laughed.


“I hope your school goes good this year. Can I see you when you come home?”


“I’d love to see you too, but you better talk to my Pop about that. I haven’t really decided when I will be home.”


“Okay, I’ll ask Mr. Brian,” Ashley said.


“You have a good year at school too, Ashley.”


“I will. I have Bree to help me. Thank you for talking to me.”


“And thank you for wanting to talk to me. I’ll see you soon.”


“I hope so. Bye,” Ashley said before handing the phone back to Bree.


“Gus, are you still there?” Bree asked.


“I’m here, short stuff.”


Brian tapped Ashley on the shoulder and signaled that they should go get that juice now. With a happy smile on her face Ashley followed Brian to the kitchen.


“Gus, can I come to Penn State with you?” Bree asked when her father had left the room.


“Bree, we’ve talked about this many times. You can’t go to university until you finish elementary school and high school.”


“I could study reeeeally hard.”


“Bree, it’s not going to happen.”


“I know,” Bree replied with a heavy sigh. “I just wanted to be with you.”


“I’ll be home soon.”


“When?”


Gus shook his head. He didn’t have an answer for that. He really wanted to go to New York to see Ray when he got a break. “I can’t say for sure,” he told his sister. “But it won’t be too long.”


“That’s what you always say, and then I don’t see you forever.”


“I was with you all summer,” Gus protested.


“But you were with Ray whenever you could.”


“Someday you’ll understand why,” Gus replied.


“No I won’t.”


“I love you, short stuff, but I have to go. I have a long drive ahead of me.”


“I love you, Gus.”


“And I love you even more.”


“Bye,” Bree said making her voice as sorrowful as she could.


“You be a good girl for your daddies, and I’ll see you soon. Bye, Bree.”


The line went dead and Bree sat down hard on her bed. She felt like throwing the phone across the room, but she knew she would get in trouble for that. She didn’t need her daddies mad at her when she felt so bad. She wouldn’t see Gus for a long, long time.


“Bree,” Brian said from the doorway, “are you done talking to Gus?” She nodded and held out the phone to him. “He loves you, you know.” Brian took the phone from her. Bree nodded again. “Daddy made you a special snack.”


Bree looked up at her father, her eyes bright with unshed tears. “Is it healthy?”


Brian chuckled. “Daddy thought you might like something different. Come see. Ashley’s waiting for you so she can have her snack.”


Bree thought about it for a moment. She finally slid off her bed and held out her hand to her father. Brian took it and they walked hand in hand down the hall to the kitchen.


“What did you make, Daddy?” Bree asked, her curiosity overriding her feeling of being abandoned by her brother.


“It’s a recipe I just found,” Justin explained. “I thought you might be feeling a little blue now that Gus is gone.”


Bree nodded. “I want to go with him.”


“We know,” Justin replied. “What’s your favorite food?” he asked hoping to distract Bree from thoughts of her brother’s departure.


“Hamburgers when Dada barbecues them,” she said decisively. Brian smirked.


“Okay, your next favorite.”


“Ice cream.”


Justin heaved a sigh. This wasn’t going the way he had hoped. “Your next favorite?” he asked hopefully.


“Cheese.”


“Right. Finally. I made a new kind of cheesecake. It’s savory instead of sweet.”


Bree frowned. “What’s savory?”


“It has herbs in it.”


Bree frowned harder. This didn’t sound like something she was going to like. “Does it taste like meat?” she asked.


“Meat? Why would you think that?” Justin asked bewildered.


“You put rosemary and stuff on roasts,” she explained.


“Yeah, I guess I do,” Justin chuckled. “Anyway, this has basil and rosemary in it.”


“Are you sure this is good?” Bree asked still skeptical.


“We’re all going to find out together. Have a seat at the table.”


Bree sat down beside Ashley. Justin picked up a round cheesecake from the counter and carried it to the table. He set it down in the middle and took a seat beside his daughter. Brian sat down beside Ashley.


“Pretty, Daddy,” Bree said. “Is that rosemary on top?”


“Good eye, Squirt,” Brian said. “Daddy put a sprig on top because there’s rosemary in it. Do you know what the bigger leaves are?”


“Basil. They smell good.”


“Right you are. Ready to try it?” Brian asked. Both girls bobbed their heads.


“It’s still warm, but it’s supposed to be good cold too,” Justin said as he cut a little slice for each girl. He put it on a little plate with a couple of crackers for each of them. “You can spread a bit on the cracker,” he instructed. “Use your knife.”


Both girls put some of the savory cheesecake on a cracker and took a bite. Justin and Brian waited for the reaction.


“Yum!” they both said.


“This is real good, Daddy,” Bree stated. Ashley nodded her head in agreement.


“Brian?” Justin asked as he watched Brian taste his piece.


“This is a keeper, Sunshine.”

 

Justin beamed with pleasure as he tasted his own handiwork. He had made something delicious, and he was able to distract Bree from being sad. Both girls were ready for seconds.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

The Naked Truth


Chapter 9 - Epilogue






Justin sat in the rocking chair that was in Bree’s room. He had about an hour before he had to wake her so that she could get ready for her first day of school. ‘Third grade already,’ he thought to himself as he watched her sleep. The sun was peeping through the curtains of her window, billowing in the still warm breeze thanks to the Indian summer. ‘Soon it’ll be high school, then college and then...’ Justin didn’t want to think beyond college. He didn’t want to think beyond this day.


He smiled at her sleep flushed face. ‘She reminds me so much of Molly,’ he thought as he quietly rocked back and forth in the same chair that he and Brian had used to take turns with midnight and two AM feedings. “My baby girl is growing up,” Justin whispered.


After a while he crept over to the bed to sit on the edge, savoring the precious calm moments before the cottage sprang into life. Carefully, Justin drew back the covers; Bree hardly stirred. ‘She sleeps like me,’ Justin chuckled at the thought. He gathered the sleeping child into his arms, inhaling her sleepy scent. He stared at the dainty pink toes peeking out just under her nightgown, traces of nail polish still clinging to each toe. The same toes he kissed and tickled when Bree was a baby. What was it about baby toes that made one want to kiss, tickle and nibble?


A flicker of movement at the door caught Justin’s attention.


“Hey,” Brian whispered as he pushed open the door and joined his spouse sitting on Bree’s bed. Justin answered with a smile. “She’s not a morning person.”


“Not unless she wants to be,” Justin pointed out. They were still subject to Bree bursting into their room early in the morning when she was excited about a trip or something special was planned for the day. “She’s so beautiful,” Justin murmured as he gazed at her sleeping face.


“Like you,” Brian said, leaning over to give Justin a kiss; their daughter safely nestled between them.


“I love you,” Justin whispered against Brian’s lips.


“I know,” Brian countered with a smirk then kissed Justin again.


“Dada?” a tiny sleepy voice asked.


“I’m here Squirt. Time to wake up.”


“It’s your first day of school,” Justin said as he sat Bree up. “You don’t want to be late.”


“School. Is the bus coming?” Bree asked as she yawned.


“Not this morning. I’m going to take you and the school bus will bring you home,” Justin explained.


“Okay,” Bree said, stretching out her arms.


“I’ll go start breakfast,” Brian stated, kissing both his blonds before exiting the room. Justin made sure his daughter was indeed awake before he left to get ready.



*****



Ben and Michael were slowly walking up from Emmett and Drew’s cottage. Ben had decided that it was time for Michael to engage in more exercise. Gerry could find no fault in a slow stroll up and down the lane. Michael faithfully performed the formal exercises as prescribed by their resident physical therapist daily.


“What’s going on over at the cottage?” Michael asked as they walked hand in hand. The juggling of cars in the driveway of Edna’s Treasures did not go unnoticed.


“I think the kids are starting school today,” Ben replied. As a college professor he would have been already back to college but he had taken a sabbatical in order to supervise Michael’s recovery from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.


“Do you miss it?”


“Miss what?”


“Teaching,” Michael said.


“A little but I’ve only been away for a few months. Sometimes it’s good to step back for a while then go back with a fresh perspective,” Ben explained.


“You’re not bored?”


“Michael, spending time with you is never boring. And I’m finding plenty of time to write and do research. I think I’ll be a better teacher when I do go back next Fall. Let’s say good morning before they all leave for the day,” Ben suggested as they got closer to the conjoined cottages.


“Good morning Michael, Ben,” John greeted the pair as they came in through the sun porch door.


“Morning,” Michael said. “Big day?”


“Yup. The kids go back to school. I’m beginning a new project in Pittsburgh and with any luck, Richie may become a permanent member of the family within the next couple of weeks,” John replied with a grin.


“Wow,” both Ben and Michael said.


“Bobby must be some lawyer,” Michael said with awe. Just then Bobby came into the porch from his end of the cottage, dressed in a very lawyer type suit with Patrick in tow.


“I am,” Bobby said smugly. “But I cannot take full credit for this. Without Melanie, I don’t think the adoption would be going as smoothly as it is. She really knows her adoption law,” Bobby said as he glanced at his watch. “I have court today. I’ll see you guys later.”


Bobby kissed his men then fled through Brian’s end of the cottage to say goodbye. Justin was going to drive the kids to school then return to the cottage to paint. John and Brian were driving into Pittsburgh together. Brian had decided Kinnetik needed to be shaken up for the day, plus he wanted to learn about the symphony tickets Ted had purchased. If Brian was going bring a little culture into his life, he thought he should take a more active role in deciding what kind of culture.


“There’s coffee and muffins in the kitchen if you guys are hungry,” John suggested as he herded the guys toward Brian’s kitchen.


“We don’t want to impose,” Ben stated.


“You’re family, there’s no imposition,” John assured them. Ben and Michael followed the tall man into the kitchen.


“Hey, Mikey!” Brian called out as he sifted through his briefcase. He was dressed in an Armani sport coat looking very dashing. Michael and Ben did a double take. They had gotten so used to seeing Brian in shorts and jeans throughout the whole summer. They forgot that he was essentially a businessman and occasionally needed to look the part.


“Hi, Unca Michael! Morning, Unca Ben!” Bree called out as she rinsed out her cereal bowl then placed it into the dishwasher.


“Good morning, Princess,” Ben replied then gave the petite child a hug. “Are you ready for school?”


“Yup! We’re going to the school that Unca John built!” Bree announced proudly. “And later I’m coming home on Daddy’s school bus!” she said with a big smile. Brian chuckled as Justin blushed under the praise.


“I know about the school renovations,” Ben said, “but I didn’t know Justin had become a school bus driver,” Ben teased.


“I’m not driving the bus,” Justin began.


“Our little Sunshine donated a fleet of school buses for the new school district,” Brian declared proudly. “He even designed the logo for the ‘Sunshine School Bus Company,’” Brian pronounced with just a little touch of teasing. “Speaking about school, isn’t it time for you guys to get rolling,” Brian said with an arch of his brow.


Justin quickly checked his watch. “Time to go, guys,” Justin announced. Hugs and kisses were passed around the kitchen as everyone started heading out the door.


John and Brian were just about ready to go as well.


“We should go,” Ben said as he was about to dump out the rest of his coffee. John stopped him.


“Don’t. Stay, relax and finish breakfast. Justin will be back within the hour and there’s no need to rush out. Just slide the porch door shut when you go. Beau’s here and Rachel is home,” John assured them. “We’re quite safe on the lane.”


“Are you sure?” Michael asked.


“We’re sure, Mikey,” Brian answered. “Any message if I see Debbie?” Brian added as he picked up his briefcase.


“Just tell her I love her and I’ll call her soon.”


“Will do. Come along, big bro, it’s been some time since I’ve harassed Schmidt,” Brian said with an evil gleam in his eye. “I’m looking forward to it.”


Shaking his head, John picked up his well worn briefcase then followed his brother out. Ben and Michael finished their breakfast then slipped out the porch door.



*****



“Hi.”


“Hey.”


“What are you doing?”


“Working. Checking the books. You?”


“Packing.”


“Packing?”


“Yeah, it’s time I go back.”


“I kinda got used to you being here.”


“It’s not like I’m going to the other side of the planet. We’ll see each other. I want to see you.”


“Really?”


“Yes, really. I’ve grown fond of my walk on the dark side as Brian put it. I think this is where I belong. And I like belonging with you, Todd.”


“I really like being with you. For the first time since I came back to Pennsylvania I feel like I’m a part of a family. I always felt that I was on the outside looking in. Now I feel like I’m in. Does that make any sense to you,” Todd asked Gerry.


“Yes, it does. Look, I have patients to see. I’ve been away from my practice long enough but we’re only an hour away from each other. There’s no reason why we can’t continue to see each other on a regular basis.”


“You’re right. Winter is my slow time; I can come to the city.”


“We can take turns,” Gerry said. He was smiling and even though he knew Todd couldn’t see his smile, he heard Todd chuckle.


“We’re good at taking turns,” Todd said into his phone.


“Yeah. Are you free next weekend?” Gerry asked hopefully.


“I’m free!”


“Then stay with me at my apartment. I’ll stock the refrigerator, we can barricade the door and spend the whole weekend in bed.”


“Sounds like a plan. Gerry, I’m glad Brian introduced us.”


“So am I, even though I felt like I was living in a glass house with his whole family watching us.”


Gerry and Todd laughed.


“Yeah, they do get obvious don’t they? But they mean well. I’ve never known better friends,” Todd admitted.


“I’m beginning to realize that. I have to go. I’ll call you later tonight.”


“All right,” Todd said hesitantly. All of a sudden he felt like a school boy again with his first crush. “Gerry, I think I’m beginning to fall...”


“Me too,” Gerry whispered. “Until tonight.”


“Tonight,” Todd repeated then they ended their call.



*****



“Thank you.”


“For what?”


“For today, dinner this evening with you and the girls. For the past couple of weeks with Gus. For a lot of things I should have thanked you for a long time ago,” Melanie said as Lindsay walked her out to her rented car.


It was the end of a long hectic day that was finally winding down.


“Mel...”


“It’s true, Linds. I had someone wonderful who loved me and I threw it all away. I hurt you and I’m sorry.”


“We both made mistakes but I’m learning to balance the painful memories with the good ones. We can only learn from our experiences and move on,” Lindsay said philosophically.


“I’m learning,” Mel said with a soft smile.


“Mel, thank you for sticking around to help Bobby with Richie’s case. It means a lot to Emmett and Drew. They love Richie so much and Richie loves them.”


“Bobby’s a good lawyer. He really didn’t need my help. He did a lot of research on this type of law.”


“That may be but Richie stands a better chance with you being there.”


Mel opened the car door then sat behind the wheel.


“When do you have to go back?” Lindsay asked.


“I’m committed to seeing this case through then I’ll go back.”


“Mel, it’s none of my business but you and Lorna...”


“I know. She’s a phenomenal lawyer and she has other...”


“Attractive attributes?” Lindsay offered.


“That’s one way of putting it. But you’re right; it’s not all wine and roses. I’ll deal with it when I go back.” Lindsay stared at Melanie. “I do intend to go back. I’m doing good work there but I’ll probably look for my own apartment when I return. I’d like to find a place where JR and Gus will feel comfortable when they come to visit.”


“The kids will like that,” Lindsay confirmed. “I better say goodnight. I have a busy day at the gallery. It’s time for the Emerging Artists show and whether Justin likes it or not, Sidney wants to have a special exhibit for the nudes he’s painting.”


“Oh please, don’t you think the public is tired of seeing Brian naked?” Melanie groaned as she started the car.


Lindsay laughed. “Apparently not. But he’s not the only model.”


“Really? Who did Justin bribe to sit for him?”


“Maybe you’ll just have to stick around to find out,” Lindsay said smugly. Mel smiled.


“Maybe I will. Goodnight, Linds. Thank you for dinner,” Mel said as she put the car in gear preparing to drive off.


“Night Mel,” Lindsay said as she turned to go back into the house.



*****



“Did you have fun today?” Justin asked as he emerged from the shower toweling off his hair and wearing just a robe. Brian was in bed reading a new contract.


“If you mean did I terrorize Kinnetik? Yes, I accomplished what I set out to do but I’ll be going back tomorrow. Cynthia is taking a vacation and I promised her I’d make myself available. Plus contracts of some of our long standing clients are up for renewal. I want to be there.”


“Of course you do,” Justin said in full agreement. “You’ve built your business on your personal relationships with your clients; it makes sense that you be on hand when you renew your contracts.”


“Bree had a good day today,” Brian said as a non sequitur.


“Yeah, she was so happy to be back to school. I hope her enthusiasm for learning never changes.”


“She’s determined to go to Penn; she’ll do it,” Brian said with conviction as he put his contract down on the bedside table.


Justin dropped his robe then crawled into bed straddling Brian’s legs.


“Want something, Sunshine?” Brian asked with a smirk.


“Yeah, you,” Justin said as he pounced.


“I think you got me,” Brian replied as he found his arms full of blond bombshell.



*****



“Hi, did I wake you?”


“No,” Mel said into her cell phone. It was way after midnight east coast time. “I’m doing a little research.”


“You’re good at that,” Lorna said. “Very detail oriented. It’s what makes you a good lawyer.”


“Thanks. We’re making progress. I think the adoption will go through soon. I’d like to stay until it’s confirmed. Can you spare me?”


“Yes, of course. I know how important this is to you and to your friends.”


“Not to mention the LGBT community.”


“True.”


There was a pause in the conversation.


“Mel.”


“Lorna.”


The women spoke simultaneously.


“Melanie, I know when you left things were a little rocky between us. I hope when you get back we can settle our differences. Either way, I do not want to endanger our professional relationship. We do good work together.”


“I agree. We’ll talk when I return.”


“So you are coming back.”


“Yes I am but I think it would be better if I moved into a hotel. We need time to reevaluate our relationship.”


“I agree. Goodnight, Mel. Good luck with the case. Call me when you’re heading back.”


“Goodnight, Lorna,” Mel said as she hit ‘end.’ Melanie lay back in the large loft bed and looked up at the ceiling. Never in a million years did Melanie ever imagine that she would be sleeping in Brian Kinney’s bed. Surrounded by law books and legal pads, no less.


“Life works in odd ways sometimes,” she murmured to herself. She slipped off her glasses then nestled down into the duvet. ‘Things will look clearer in the morning,’ she thought to herself as she drifted off to sleep.


“That was a lot easier than I thought,” Lorna mumbled as she hung up the phone.


“What did you say?” a voice asked from over her shoulder as a soft hand fondled her breast.


“Mmm, nothing,” Lorna murmured as she rolled over. “Nothing of importance.”

 

TBC

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1425