Partnership by Thyme
Summary:

 

Written for the Quoin Red Challenge.  Brian and Justin are partners in a Quoin.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Prostitution
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Brian/Justin/Other
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 33336 Read: 30525 Published: Mar 22, 2019 Updated: Mar 22, 2019

1. Chapter 1 by Thyme

2. Chapter 2 by Thyme

3. Chapter 3 by Thyme

4. Chapter 4 by Thyme

5. Chapter 5 by Thyme

6. Chapter 6 by Thyme

7. Chapter 7 by Thyme

8. Chapter 8 by Thyme

9. Chapter 9 by Thyme

10. Chapter 10 by Thyme

Chapter 1 by Thyme



Partnership


Justin sat at his desk in his studio apartment in Chicago.  He was adding the finishing touches to the drawing he had been working on.  It was a commission for a mural in a new store going in downtown, an upscale women's clothing store that would be the second in the newly expanding chain of stores.  The owners had high hopes for the growth of their company, and based on the success of their first store they seemed to be right on with their projections.



The drawing is part of a series of pictures of a woman, beginning nude and with each successive drawing layering on clothing as she gets ready for a ball.  The figure is slightly abstract to begin with, just enough to make the model unrecognizable and the nude body discreet enough not to offend. However, the nature of the body is clear to the observer.  The woman is beautiful and will be even more beautiful as she dresses and perfumes herself in preparation for her evening out. Each succeeding incarnation of the woman becomes a little clearer. The final figure in the progression is fully in focus and more dramatic than any of the preceding figures.  She looks stunning.



Justin smiled as he looked critically at his handiwork.  He was pleased with the results and hoped the store owners would like it as well.



He decided that was enough for now.  He had taught himself through many unfortunate mistakes to leave well enough alone.  There came a point in all of his work when it made him smile. He had been trying to teach himself to stop at that point and leave it alone.  He always wanted to add to it and change it, make it better, being the perfectionist that he was. Over the last two years he had trained himself to stop when his work made him smile.  That was the indicator of when it was at its best.



Justin closed the sketchbook and tossed it on top of the pile of sketchbooks on his drawing table.  Absently his fingers traced the spines of the sketchbooks and randomly pulled out an old one from near the bottom of the pile.  He flipped it open and there was that face once again.



He stared into dark eyes and ran his fingers lightly over the full lips.  A sigh escaped his mouth. "Brian," he thought, "what the hell happened?"



It had been over two years since he had seen the former ad executive.  They had been so happy after Stockwell's defeat. Everything had seemed so right with the world.  They had fucked and fucked and fucked. Life went on in the usual manner, at least as far as sex was concerned.  They spent a lot of time together, although technically Justin still lived with Daphne. Brian found tricks at Babylon, at the baths, at Woody's.  He began freelancing in advertising and with his settlement from Vangard he could live comfortably, but not in the style to which he wanted to become accustomed.  Gradually he paid off some of the debt from the TV ads. He made a few investments with Ted's help and he began to replace the furniture in the loft but not with the kinds of pieces he really wanted.



Justin had been kicked out of PIFA and he had been pretty aimless for awhile.  He worked at the diner and danced at Babylon. Mostly he fucked Brian. That had been the focus of his life.  To say that they were happy was maybe overstating things, but to the outside world that was probably how they seemed.



Gradually, though, the euphoria of their victory began to wear off and they had to face the new reality in which they both lived.  Nothing had really changed in the daily life on Liberty Avenue. Stockwell had discreetly withdrawn from public life and that seemed to be the end of the whole Jason Kemp affair.  Nobody seemed to be willing to pursue it once Rikert was dead. The backrooms were open and that was all they cared about.



However, the day to day reality of life began to force them to have a different, less optimistic view of what they had done.  Brian couldn't get a job with any other advertising agency in Pittsburgh. His reputation as arrogant and unreliable, and downright untrustworthy, preceded him wherever he went.  He would have liked to leave the Pitts and try his luck elsewhere, but his resumes brought no positive responses. He began to think that he was being blackballed from advertising, and maybe Vance was behind it, although he could never prove that.  He managed to get some small freelance jobs, enough so that they could make ends meet and not have to worry about the wolf at the door. But Justin knew that deep down Brian was very unhappy. This wasn't at all where he wanted to be at this point in his life.



Gradually he began to resent Justin's presence and the blond's part in what had happened to him.  He became silent and withdrawn. Justin could see the old walls going back up. Brian had more and more trouble talking about what was going on between them.  When their finances came up in discussion, which inevitably they did, Brian took it as an implied criticism of him, and as time went on he refused to talk to Justin about anything.



Brian had begun to frequent the backrooms more and more.  He seemed to be retreating to his old pain management technique of sex, sex and more sex.  Justin had suspected that Brian would like to be drinking and drugging a lot more too, but they just didn't have the money for it the way they used to.



Each of them knew that they were drifting apart, but they seemed to be incapable of doing anything to stop it.  They still fucked regularly, but even that began to be colored by their resentment of each other and their continuing lack of real communication.



Then one fateful day as they say, Lindsay told Justin that a man had come into her gallery looking for an artist who specialized in faces.  He owned a chain of beauty salons and wanted something fresh and different to use as a mural on the entranceway to each salon. He was renovating and wanted a portrait of a different woman on each salon as they were refurbished.  He was going more upscale and hoped the mural would set the tone for his shops. Lindsay had recommended Justin, and as they also say, it was history from then on.



The man, Gino Paggliardi, had really loved Justin's first mural, and he had also loved Justin from the first moment he had laid eyes on him.  Justin had worked closely with Gino listening to his suggestions of classic hairstyles to use on the woman. The face was to be almost five feet tall and very striking as clients entered the salon.  The hairstyle Justin chose was a classic up do, giving the face a gracious, almost regal look. It did set the tone for the shop.



Gino had been so pleased with Justin's work that he had commissioned him to do a similar mural in each of his salons.  It had taken six months in all for Justin to complete the work for the first salon, and then the second and third in Gino's small chain.  Gino had paid him a set sum, but not a huge amount. He had promised that if his customers loved the murals he would provide a healthy bonus at the end of the commission.  With all of the renovations Gino had had little money to give Justin his bonus when the clients at the salons raved about the murals. He and Justin had come to an agreement where Gino gave Justin a small portfolio of stocks instead.  Gino promised that someday they would be worth much, much more. Justin had accepted knowing that he might get nothing if he didn't take what was offered. At that point they had had nothing in writing. Justin had learned then and there that he had to have a better business sense and get things in writing no matter what.



Justin had quickly realized that Gino was gay.  He knew the man was interested in him from their first meeting, but he had refused to acknowledge that fact insisting that they keep their relationship on a purely professional level.  By the time Justin started the mural for the second store Gino had become very persistent, and Justin was having more and more trouble denying his attraction for the man. Things between him and Brian were very strained.  They shared a bed many nights and the sex was still good, but each knew that the connection between them just wasn't the same.



One night Justin had come to the loft to find Brian in bed with two men.  He was totally wasted and so were his tricks. They wanted Justin to join them.  Brian had insisted and there had been some unpleasant words between them when Justin refused.  Justin had left, much to Brian's displeasure. He had gone to Daphne's and basically taken up residence there once again, refusing to speak to Brian until the man apologized.  He and Brian hadn't spoken after that.



Weeks later when Justin had finally given in and called Brian, the man had not answered the phone, if he was there.  He didn't respond to Justin's message either. That was when Justin had given in and gone to bed with Gino. Gino had been very happy and very grateful and Justin had enjoyed the sex after weeks of waiting for Brian to come to his supposed senses.  Justin made it clear to Gino that it was a one time thing. Gino had tried to pursue Justin, but had finally realized that the blond wasn't interested in a long term relationship, at least not with him. They had remained friends and Gino had done his best to compensate Justin for his excellent work in the three salons.



Just before Justin finished the last mural for Gino, he received another commission that was to lead to big changes in his life.  The wife of a Chicago businessman had been in Pittsburgh with her husband for a convention. She had gone to get her hair done at one of Gino's salons.  She had fallen in love with Justin's mural and had enquired about the artist. Her husband was the CEO of the largest chain of private hospitals in Illinois.  They were moving into new corporate headquarters and were looking for an artist to design murals about medicine for the lobby of the building. It was a huge area encompassing three massive walls that were to be covered floor to ceiling with the murals.  It would be at least a year's work and they offered the job to Justin. That meant that he was moving to Chicago.



Once again he tried to contact Brian.  It was now almost five months since he had last talked to the man.  Justin felt that there was still unfinished business between them, but apparently Brian merely felt that they were through.  He once again refused to answer his phone, refused to reply to Justin's messages and refused to answer the door when Justin visited the loft.  Justin still had a key, but he refused to use it, taking Brian's silence as the final sign that they were finished. He had moved to Chicago the next week.



And that was how he had ended up here.  Justin closed the sketchbook. He wished that he had had a chance to talk to Brian before he left Pittsburgh, but Brian had not allowed that to happen.  Justin had even gone so far as to petition Michael to ask Brian to call him. Michael had reluctantly agreed. A few days later Michael had called Justin to say that Brian refused to allow him to mention Justin's name.  Every time he had tried, Brian had hung up on him or had walked out. Justin had decided that enough was enough and had set out to make a new life in Chicago.



Justin lifted up the pile of sketchbooks and inserted the one he had been looking at near the bottom.  That was where Brian belonged – near the bottom of the priorities in his life. He did his best not to think about his former … whatever the fuck he was, but sometimes like today the memories just came flooding back.  There was so much left unfinished.



Justin closed his eyes and tried to block out those eyes, the hazel ones flecked with gold.  Some part of him still longed for the look those eyes used to give him. Some part of him still longed for the touch of those long, slender fingers.  Some part of him still longed for the kisses of those sweet full lips … on his neck, on his chest, on his own swollen and hungry lips. Justin realized he was stroking himself as his mind had wandered back to that enigmatic, complicated, beautiful … asshole.  Thoughts of Brian could still get him hard. He stroked faster remembering the chaise and ice cream kisses. Suddenly he was coming with such ferocity that he slumped against the chair and grabbed his desk to keep from sliding onto the floor.



"Shit!" he griped looking at the mess he had made of his desk and himself.  "Brian fucking Kinney I'm going to kill you if I ever see that smirking face of yours again."



Justin began to wipe himself off.  He wondered deep within at the effect Brian could still have on him.  Their relationship had been so intense, whether good or bad, but certainly intense.  He had spent the night with a few men since he had come to Chicago, but never more than one night.  A chill ran down his spine as he thought about that.



Had he turned into a replica of Brian Kinney?  Fuck guys once, but never again. Don't allow yourself to really feel anything other than the immediate pleasure.  Don't get involved. Stay aloof. Justin shuddered slightly at the implications of what he was thinking.



He shrugged and told himself that he had been having one night stands because he hadn't found anybody that he wanted to have a real relationship with.  He liked some … most of the men he had been with but he hadn't loved any of them. Eventually he would find someone who would love him, who would want to share a life with him, who would make him burn with desire … just like … Brian.  Fuck! Why did it always come back to Brian?



Justin got up from his desk and went into the bathroom to finish cleaning himself up.  He grabbed some fresh clothes and threw himself down on the daybed that served as his couch during the day.  He needed to … he needed to … fuck if he knew what he needed to do. That goddam Brian had ruined his day. He had been pleased with himself about the preliminary sketches, if only he hadn't pulled out that fucking picture of … him.



The pack of cigarettes sat on the little end table.  Justin lit one and inhaled deeply. He felt the nicotine hit his system and he blew out the smoke savoring every bit of it.  He had made a good life for himself here in Chicago, so why had he lapsed into fruitless (hah! What a pun he could make with that one!) musings about his ex?



He wondered how long it was going to take to get that man out of his system.  Obviously two years hadn't been long enough.



Justin's thoughts returned to Brian.  He wondered if the man had returned full time to advertising, if his life had gone back to what it had been pre-Justin, if he had gotten back all the designer furniture and clothes, if he fucked a different guy every night, if he had a boyfriend, if he ever thought about Justin.  Christ, he needed to stop this or he was going to drive himself insane.



Suddenly a thought crossed Justin's perturbed mind.  He reached for the phone and dialed a long familiar, but lately unused number.



After a couple of rings a voice said, "Emmett Honeycutt esquire speaking."



"My, aren't we formal these days."



"Justin?  Justin! Oh my God, is that you, Justin?"



"It's me, Emm.  How are you?" Justin said with a little laugh.  He always felt good talking to Emmett. He wondered why he hadn't called him in such a long time.



"I'm great!  How are you?"


"Not so bad," Justin lied, not ready to get into the real purpose of his call.



"How long has it been since I talked to you, honey?  Almost a year?"



"Jeez Emm, it can't be that long," Justin replied horrified as he began to realize that it had been many, many months.



"I guess we've both been busy," Emmett said philosophically.



"So your party planning business is still going strong?" Justin asked.



"Very!  That's why I answered the phone the way I did.  I didn't know who would be calling long distance and I thought it might be an out of Pittsburgh party."


"Have you started doing parties in other cities?"


"Only one, in Harrisburg, but I made a fuckingly obscene amount of money off of it.  I always hope for another one like that."


"Wow, Emm, your reputation must really be growing."


"Nothing but the best parties when you deal with Emmett Honeycutt," Emmett said proudly.



"How's everybody else?" Justin asked trying to edge into the real purpose of his call.



"Hm, where shall I start?" Emmett mused.  "Teddy and Blake are still together. They seem happy even though Ted has gone back to being an accountant.  I don't know how that could make anybody happy. He's clean and sober though, and they're living together."


"I'm sorry, Emm," Justin said wishing his friend had had a better experience in his ill-fated relationship with Ted.  "Do you guys still keep in touch?"


"Ted calls every once in a while, but it's just not the same.  We don't move in the same circles anymore."



"How's Deb?"



"Same as always.  She's still working at the diner and running PFLAG and everybody's lives."



Justin giggled.  "Somehow I knew that would be the case."


"She'd love you to call her, you know."


"I … I don't think I could deal with all that," Justin said ambiguously.  "I know she means well, but I like being independent and I don't want her telling me what to do."


"I know, sweetie.  In her eyes we never really grow up."



"What about Michael?"


"He and Ben are happily shacked up.  Ben's health has been good, touch wood.  They still have Hunter. The Child Welfare decided they would be the best guardians after it all came out about his mother and his HIV status."



"That must have been a relief to them."



"I'm sure it was.  The comic book store is doing okay, but I know Michael wishes he could do another issue of Rage."


"That kind of got lost in the shuffle."


"Yeah," Emmett said thoughtfully.



Justin had been hoping that Brian would have been mentioned in all this, but Emmett knew that Justin had always refused to talk about Brian in their previous calls, and it seemed that he wasn't going to broach that subject.



"Are you and Vic still working together?" Justin asked, not knowing how to get into the subject of Brian without seeming too obvious.



"Yeah, I could never keep my business going without him."


"And his health?"



"Good, all things considered."



"How are Lindsay, Mel and … Gus?" Justin asked realizing how much he missed the little boy.  He must be four years old now.



"They're good.  Lindsay's still working at the gallery.  Gus goes to junior kindergarten."


"Emm …," Justin began but just couldn't bring himself to ask."


"He's gone."


"What?" Justin asked immediately alert.



"I said he's gone.  Brian's gone."


"Gone?  Gone where?"


"Fuck if I know, sweetie."



"When?"


"About a year ago.  One day all of a sudden he stopped coming to the diner.  By the time we figured out that something was going on he had sold the loft and moved.  Nobody knows where he went."


"Michael?"


"He swears he doesn't know either.  He was really upset for awhile, but he has Ben and Hunter to worry about."


"Why … why didn't anybody tell me?" Justin asked trying to keep the tears out of his voice.



"I knew you never wanted to discuss him when you called.  I debated telling you, but what good would that have done?  I didn't know where he was. I still don't."



"I can't believe he's gone."



"Neither could we.  He was really the center of our little family in a lot of ways.  Strangely it's not the same without him, even though he could be such an asshole."


"Do you think he's all right?" Justin said softly.



"You know Brian.  He always lands on his feet.  He's one tough son of a bitch."



"Speaking of the 'bitch', do you think she knows where he is?" Justin asked thinking of Brian's mother.



"Not if Brian had anything to do with it.  But she would never tell us anything anyway.  Hell, she wouldn't even acknowledge our existence if she could help it."


"Do you think he got a job somewhere else?" Justin asked.



"Maybe, but I don't know if the job would be in advertising.  He shopped his resume around, but there were no takers. He was really unhappy with how the Stockwell mess played out, ruining his reputation and his career."


"Yeah, and a lot of that was my fault," Justin said ruefully.



"You never made him do anything, honey.  He decided that all by himself."


"He thought he was doing a good thing," Justin defended him.  "He never thought the consequences would be so severe."



"All good deeds must be punished," Emmett offered.



"That hardly seems fair."


"Life can be one fucking unfair fiasco sometimes."


"That's for sure."


"So how are things in Chicago?"


"I'm doing okay.  I'm just starting a second commission for a women's clothing store.  It will probably take me the best part of a month to complete it."


"Wow, that sounds like big time stuff."


"I guess it is," Justin said thoughtfully.  He had done all right for himself. He hoped Brian was doing all right too.



"I'm really glad you called, Justin."


"I am too."


"Don't make it so long next time."


"The phone works both ways, you know."


"Point taken."


"Bye, Emmett."

 

Justin hung up.  Now he had more stuff than ever to wonder about.

Chapter 2 by Thyme

Justin shuffled through his mail.  It was the usual bills and shit. He rarely got anything of a personal nature.  He kept in touch with people by e-mail and phone, those people consisting mostly of Daphne and his mother and Molly.



He had spent a restless night after his chat with Emmett.  He couldn't believe that Brian had just disappeared. He hated what had happened to Brian, to the two of them.  It all seemed so wrong and so unfair. But he had always expected Brian to bounce back. Brian was driven to succeed.  Justin had been sure that after awhile the man would find another great job in advertising and once again be the success that he was destined to be.



Justin began opening his mail as he let his thoughts wander.  He wondered if there was any way to find out where Brian had gone.  None of the gang seemed to know what had happened to him. His bitch of a mother wouldn't tell him anything, and she probably knew less than he did about what had happened to her son.  He looked at the phone bill in his hand and made a mental note to pay it online later.



Justin looked through the ads and discarded all of those.  He remembered that he was supposed to have lunch with Rick today.  Rick had been his first friend when he moved to Chicago. They had met when Justin was trying to figure out the transit system.  He had been trying to get to the medical headquarters where he was going to do his mural. Rick had stopped to help him, and they had kind of hit it off.  Rick turned out to be gay and there had been an attraction between them, but Justin decided that he needed a friend much more than a lover at that point in his life.



It turned out that Rick lived less than a block away so they had begun to hang around together.  Rick was a waiter at an upscale bistro in Hyde Park in the southern part of Chicago. He kept telling Justin to come there for dinner, but Justin never felt his finances were up to it, and he had never managed to go.



Today was Rick's day off and they often met for lunch, sometimes for fast food, but today at a little café that they both liked.  It was three blocks down the street from where Justin lived.



Justin grabbed his backpack and stuffed in the sketchbook with his drawing for the clothing store.  He planned to go to the store after lunch and see if the wall for his mural was ready for him to begin work.  The store was scheduled to open in six weeks and he wanted to get started.



He walked quickly along the street still thinking about Brian.  He couldn't believe how that man had managed to take over his thoughts since he had looked at that fucking sketch yesterday.



Justin walked into the café and saw Rick sitting at a table by the windows.  He quickly joined him dropping his backpack on the window ledge.



"What's that for?" Rick asked noting the backpack.



"I'm going downtown after we eat to check out how soon I can get started on my mural."


"Can I see your sketches for it?" Rick asked.



Justin smiled.  He liked sharing his work with someone and Rick had a good eye.  He was always interested in whatever Justin was doing. They ordered their sandwiches and drinks when the waitress came by.  Justin pulled out his sketchbook so Rick could look at it while they waited for their meals.



"It starts here," Justin said opening the sketchbook to the middle.  "The first picture will be kind of out of focus, semi-abstract. She's nude, you see," Justin whispered.



Rick chuckled.  "Kind of lost on me."


Justin grinned as Rick turned the pages and worked his way through the series of drawings to the final one of the woman in a beautiful ball gown.  He held his breath waiting for Rick's comments.



"I may be gay, but she's gorgeous.  Who is she?"


Justin giggled.  "She's a combination of some great women I have known."


"Really?"


"Yeah, she has Lindsay's lips.  She has great lips, and Daphne's hair and my mother's nose."



"Maybe that's why she's kind of exotic looking."


"I'm glad you said that, because I wanted her to be kind of race-less or maybe that she could be of any race."



"I think you captured that," Rick marveled.  "But whose eyes are those? They're … mesmerizing."


Justin felt himself blushing.  "Oh, I kind of made them up."


Rick gave Justin a quizzical look.  He was about to say that those eyes were far too real to be made up, but something in the way that Justin squirmed in his seat made him leave that topic alone.



"I think your mural is going to be great," Rick said.  He flipped through some pages and came across a recent sketch of Brian.  In it the man looked cold and aloof. But something about the eyes caught Rick's attention.  "Who's this?" Rick asked.



"Someone I used to know," Justin said quickly and reached for the sketchbook.



Rick allowed him to take it and stuff it in his backpack.  "He looked kind of angry and cold," Rick said.



"Who?"



"The guy in that sketch."


"I guess he was."


"Beautiful though."


"If you say so," Justin said sarcastically.  He didn't want to discuss Brian's beauty or his anger or his coldness.  Justin knew where those eyes on the woman had come from. They were a version of Brian's in happier times.  Brian did have mesmerizing eyes.



"What's going on, Justin?" Rick asked.



"Nothing, why?"


"You seem edgy."


"I guess I'm just worried about starting this mural and whether or not Mr. Gillespie is going to like the sketches."


"Of course he'll like them.  They're great!"



"I knew there was a reason I kept you around," Justin teased.



"Want some company while you go downtown?" Rick asked.



"Are you volunteering to go with me?  Don’t you have anything better to do on your day off?"


"Not really?  You're not starting to work on the mural today, are you?"


"No, I just want to see if I can start on Monday and get final approval from Mr. Gillespie for the sketches."


"Then we could maybe go shopping and look around downtown.  I thought maybe I'd take you to the bistro for dinner. I get a great discount, and if we go in good time we can get in before it gets too busy."


"That sounds like fun," Justin said thinking about how long it had been since he had been out anywhere.  "Maybe we could find a club and go dancing afterwards."


"Actually there are a lot of clubs in the Hyde Park area.  It's an area of old mansions. The ones that haven't been torn down and made into ridiculously expensive townhouses are being turned into clubs and restaurants.  There's a great gay club called Bottoms just down the street from where I work."



"And do you have to be one to get in?" Justin asked with a twinkle in his eye.



"Huh?" Rick said and then laughed, getting it.  "It kind of takes both bottoms and tops to have things work out satisfactorily."


"No shit!" said Justin with a smirk.  "That sounds like it would be fun."



The waitress arrived with their sandwiches and they both dug in, too busy eating to talk.



                                                               -----



Mr. Gillespie loved the sketches, Justin could start on the actual mural on Monday and neither of them bought anything when they went shopping.  Rick and Justin had fun trying on clothes and looking at shoes, videos, CD's, and lots of other things. Justin was happy to relax, not think about work, and especially not think about Brian.



By the time they made their way towards Hyde Park dusk was falling and they were both hungry.  They had decided to take a cab since it would mean several transfers from where they were downtown.  The cab let them off in front of the bistro, called clearly enough Le Bistro. Justin looked around at the wide streets and the mix of old mansions and new homes.



"It's quite the neighborhood down here," Rick said.  "Multiracial, gay and straight, rich and upwardly mobile."



"Lots of customers for your restaurant," Justin said.



"Exactly.  People who bought in down here a couple of years ago have made a killing.  Business is booming."



"Where's Bottoms?" Justin asked with a giggle.



"See the neon way down there?" Rick asked pointing to his left.  "That's the club."



"What's that?" Justin asked pointing kitty corner across the street.  It was a very large old house with expensive cars parked outside, and someone was just getting out of a limo.



"That's quite the place," Rick said.  "It's called the Quoin."



"What's a Quoin?" Justin asked.



"I'm told it's a very exclusive high class brothel for gay men."


"No!" Justin responded his eyes very large.  "I never knew there was such a thing."



"Well now you do.  There's men coming, and I do mean coming, and going all hours of the day and night.  It never closes, but this time of night until about one in the morning seems to be the busiest time."


"Have you ever …?" Justin asked.



"Me?  God no!  I couldn't afford it, and I'm not sure I'd want to go there anyway," Rick said crinkling up his nose in distaste.



"I wonder what kinds of things they do."



"From what I hear you can buy anything you ever dreamed of in there."


"Wow!  Don't the police ever step in?" Justin asked remembering Stockwell's attempts to shut down the backrooms on Liberty Avenue.



"Prostitution is legal now," Rick said matter-of-factly.  "Has been for over a year."


"But I thought that was women, you know, prostitutes."


"What do you think you would call men who sell themselves for sex?" Rick asked looking at Justin like he was a misguided child.



"Oh, I was thinking hustlers…" was all Justin could say as he realized how stupid that must have sounded.



"We don't have the need or the money to have to worry about going there," Rick said taking pity on Justin's naiveté.  "Besides you could have any guy you want."


"I could?" Justin asked, then blushed realizing that it sounded like he was fishing for compliments.  "You're not so bad yourself."


"We should apply for a job over there," Rick teased as he pointed towards the Quoin.  A very distinguished looking gentleman was just going in. "On second thought let's get some dinner.  I'll tell you about some of the men who have come to dinner here before they go to the Quoin. The stories will curl your lovely blond locks."



"They talk about it?" Justin asked.



Rick nodded.  "Sometimes."


They went up the steps into the restaurant and Rick introduced Justin to the maitre d' and some of the wait staff that was on duty.  They got a table and ordered a couple of beers. Rick started to tell Justin about one of his memorable customers.



"This guy comes in one night.  He's already had a few. He's alone but he wants the best table in the house.  Aaron, the maitre d' tries to put him in a back corner to keep him out of sight.  He starts making a scene and flashing a wad of bills in Aaron's face. He wants the best table in the house.  Finally Aaron lets him pick any table he wants, just to shut him up."



"Sounds like a real asshole," Justin observed as Rick took a drink of his beer.



"Let's order," Rick said.  "It takes a while for them to prepare the meals."



They placed their orders with Greg, their waiter.



"So what happened with this guy with too much money and too few brains?"


"Hey, do you know this guy?" Rick teased.



"I've met some like that," Justin said thinking about one or two of his father's "friends" and a guy that had tried to pick him up one night on Liberty Avenue.



"Anyway, this guy orders wine and I'm trying to keep him from getting too drunk, so I suggest coffee.  He says he's only going across the street when he leaves and he'll be staying there all night. By this point I've figured out that he's going to the Quoin, so I tell him that I didn't know you could stay the night.  He says he has a hot ass all picked out and he's going to plow it all night long. He tells me that he's a top, of course."



"Means he's a big bottom," Justin said remembering what Brian always said about people who protested too much about being tops.



"Why do you say that?" Rick asked.



"Just an observation."


"So he gets his wine and I ask him how much a night like that at the Quoin would cost."


"You didn't?"



"I did.  He's pretty sloshed and likes to talk."


"So how much?"


"Five thou.  Can you believe it?"


"For one night. Christ!"



"Yeah, and then he tells me that it could cost more if he decides to take some extras."



"What does that mean?"


"I asked him the same thing.  Apparently you can have multiple partners and fisting and golden showers and a train and just about anything else you can imagine, and some you can't.  It all depends if the ones who do those things are available and you are willing to pay the big bucks."


"Ew," Justin said in disgust.  "Sounds like kink is alive and well in South Chicago."


"I guess so.  I don't know if the guy ever did any of that.  I think he was mostly bragging."



"Probably," Justin said thoughtfully.  He could remember a few kinky things he and Brian had done.



"Oh," Rick said remembering something else.  "He told me the guy who runs the place is a real stickler.  He said he's gorgeous and sometimes patrons can have him if the mood hits him, but most of the time he just supervises.  He said nobody gets out of line over there or they never get to come back. All of the kink is only done if the boys consent willingly.  Can you imagine agreeing to have someone pee on you?"


"Never!" Justin said making a face.  "This is a fucking weird world sometimes."



"Anyway, this owner or manager of the Quoin, or whatever he is, is supposed to be one great stud.  This guy said he had tried several times to book him, but the man wouldn't agree. I guess he picks the ones he wants, and I could see why he wouldn't want this bozo."


"Have you ever seen the manager?" Justin asked.



"No, I always watch when I'm coming and going, but I've never seen anyone that looks gorgeous and well hung enough to be this stud."


"Too bad," Justin said thinking about another stud from long ago.



"Yeah, way too bad," Rick chuckled.



Their dinners arrived then and they ate in comfortable silence for awhile.  The food was very good. Justin could see why the restaurant was doing so well.



When their waiter was clearing the dishes, Rick said, "Hey, Greg, have you ever seen the manager of the Quoin?"


"Not that I know of.  Nobody outside of the Quoin seems to know what he actually looks like.  Gorgeous and hung is all I ever hear."



"Is he some sort of hermit?" Justin wondered.



"Who knows?" Rick responded.  "Let's hit Bottoms for awhile."



"Sure," said Justin and they got up to leave.



Outside the restaurant Rick and Justin glanced across at the Quoin.  There was some kind of disturbance going on. Two burly looking guys were escorting a man towards a taxi that had pulled up in front of the steps.  They stuffed the man rather unceremoniously into the cab and it pulled away. The two men turned and looked up at someone who leaned out the door to make sure the man had been disposed of.



Justin had a quick intake of breath.  For a second he thought he recognized the man who had stuck his head out, but it couldn't be.



"Do you think that was the manager?" Justin asked Rick.



"Who?"



"The guy who stuck his head out the door."


"I didn't see him," Rick admitted.  "I was watching the guy they put in the cab."


"Why him?"


"I think it was the same asshole I was telling you about, but it's hard to see at this time of night."



"Yeah, it is."  Justin wondered if he had seen what he thought he had seen, or if his eyes were playing tricks on him, or his brain was, or the light was just too poor to be sure.


"Are you ready to hit the club?" Rick asked with a smile.



"Sure, let's go," Justin said with a backward glance at the Quoin.  There was no sign of the apparition he thought he had seen.



Rick and Justin danced until one in the morning and managed to get home by two.  It was the most fun Justin had had in months. If only he didn't have this nagging worry about the man he had seen at the Quoin.  He did his best to push the image out of his head, but it persistently came back again and again, leading to fitful dreams and a poor night's sleep.


Chapter 3 by Thyme

Justin awoke late after his night out dancing with Rick.  His head ached dully from lack of restful sleep. He had dreamed of Brian over and over, about Brian shoving him away, and about Brian being in trouble.



He wasn't sure if he was worried about what had happened to Brian or pissed that their relationship hadn't been strong enough to weather hard times.  It really didn't matter in the long run. He'd never see Brian again. He just wished that he could get the man out of his thoughts and then his life could get back to normal.



He made some breakfast consisting of toast and a bowl of cereal.  He ate slowly still thinking about his dreams. He remembered the brief glimpse of the man at the Quoin.  He had borne such a strong resemblance to Brian, but it couldn't be. Brian wouldn't be in Chicago, he'd be in New York.  He wouldn't be working at the Quoin; he'd be making mega bucks in advertising. He wouldn't just turn up in Justin's life; he'd have to make a grand entrance … if he ever came back.



Justin dumped his dirty dishes in the dishwasher and wiped the table.  He saw his pile of mail from yesterday sitting on the end of the counter.  There had been something that he was going to do with it. He flipped through the few envelopes he had left there and saw his phone bill.  He was going to pay it online. He carried it over to the computer and logged on.



A series of passwords and screens got him into his bank account.  He thought he should have about a thousand dollars in it, enough to pay his rent and bills till he got the first installment from Mr. Gillespie.  That was to be paid to him when he started the actual mural in a day or two. He was going to do okay off of this commission and he had a couple of other people to see who might be interested in hiring him down the road.  Mr. Gillespie had recommended him to some colleagues.



Justin smiled as he thought about his financial independence.  It had been hard, but he could truthfully say that he had made a successful business for himself and had to rely on no one for help.  Soon he would be able to pay off Brian for the tuition he had forked out. That is, he could pay him back if he could find out where he was.



Justin typed in the balance of his phone bill and clicked "pay".  The transaction went through and his new balance appeared. The box read $8 457.62.  Justin blinked and looked again. The same number still appeared there. His thoughts raced to all the possibilities of why this huge sum would be in his account.  The first thing he thought of was Emmett and his millions. Emmett had thought it was a mistake. Surely this must be a mistake too. Emmett had had such a terrible experience with his inheritance after George died.  Justin didn't know anybody who had died or would have left him money for any other reason.



Brian!  His brain screamed at him.  Had Brian died and left him this money?  It couldn't be. It just couldn't be. Justin's heart pounded in his chest.  There had to be another explanation. Justin scrolled back and saw that a deposit for $7550.00 had recently been made to his account.  He had no idea where that would have come from and there was no other information, just the transaction.



He had to find out what was going on.  He decided he could try calling the bank, but he would likely find out more if he went down there and talked to a real person.  He quickly dressed and made his way to the branch which was several blocks away.



After explaining his problem to a teller who was less than sympathetic and seemed to know nothing about his account, Justin asked to speak to the manager.  He had to wait almost an hour to get in to see the woman who was busy with someone who had an appointment. Justin decided he would stay and wait her out. He wanted some answers.



Just after eleven-thirty he was ushered into the manager's office.  She was doing something on the computer, but asked him to take a seat.  He sat across the desk from her and waited. Finally she turned to him and extended her hand.



"I'm Emily Parker," she said.



"Justin Taylor," he replied.



"You have a problem with your account I'm told," she said.



"I have way more money in it than there should be."


"That's a good problem."


"Yeah, if it's really mine," Justin said with a grimace.  "I want to know where it came from and why all of a sudden."



"I was looking up your account when you came in.  There is a deposit for $7550 that seems to be the bulk of your balance."


"That's the one.  I didn't deposit that amount.  Can you tell me where it came from?"


"Let's see.  She hit some keys on the computer and studied the screen."



"It was a direct deposit from something called Applegay Management."



That name sounded vaguely familiar to Justin, but he couldn't place it.  "I still don't know why I would be getting that sum from anyone."



"Let's see if I can find out anything else," she said typing into her computer.  After a minute she looked at him and said, "You've had several deposits from this company over the last two years.  They come quarterly and were all for slightly less than two hundred dollars until this one."



"Now I know what it is.  It's an investment that I got as payment from a job I did in Pittsburgh.  But why would the amount have gone skyrocketing like that?" Justin asked.



"That I can't answer, Mr. Taylor.  You would need to speak to someone at Applegay."


"But how do I find them?  I don't even know who or what they are.  I was just happy to have the extra money every once in awhile."


"I can find an address and probably a phone number for you.  If they make a direct deposit, they have to be on file."


"I'd really appreciate that," Justin said relieved that he seemed to be getting closer to some kind of explanation for his windfall.



Ms. Parker typed some more and waited.  Justin heard her printer start up, and she handed him the printout about this company.  He scanned the paper. There was an address in Chicago and the name of the company, and some numbers that meant nothing to him.



"What does this company do?" Justin asked.



"I don't know.  I've never heard of it until now.  It must be rather small, but very successful judging by the size of your dividend this quarter."


"Is that what you think that deposit was?"


She nodded.  "It's the right time of the year based on previous deposits."


"Well, thanks for your time and help."


"No problem.  That's what I'm here for."



"I guess I need to contact these people and find out what's going on."


"Good luck.  If you have any other investments like that, you're very lucky."


Justin smiled sheepishly.  He honestly had no idea what he had in that stock portfolio he had received from Gino.  There were a couple of other stocks as well as the Applegay one. He had filled out forms to transfer them and have any proceeds deposited to his account.  Those proceeds had been minimal or non-existent. Applegay had been by far the best. However, he had paid little attention to any of them, just grateful for every little bit of money that they provided.



He left the bank with his sheet of paper determined to find out what this Applegay was all about, and why he was receiving so much money all of a sudden.  At least nobody had died and left it to him. At least Brian hadn't died. At least it wasn't an inheritance like Emmett's that could evaporate before his eyes.  At least he hoped not.



                                                               -----



Justin went back to his apartment, suddenly ravenous.  The money was his. He was very pleased about that. One of Gino's stocks had really paid off.  He smiled as he made himself a sandwich. He was thinking of all the things he could do with seven thousand dollars.  He would be able to visit his mother more often and buy some art supplies that he had really wanted.



He was still a bit troubled by his sudden good fortune coming from out of nowhere.  He wanted to know what Applegay Management did. There was a phone number on the sheet that Ms. Parker had given him.  He decided to try it even if it was Saturday. Maybe there would be a recording that would give him some clue. He dialed the number and waited.  A recorded voice told him that this was Applegay Management and that their offices were currently closed. It then gave him standard times to get in touch with the company.



That was what he had expected.  He sighed and set the phone down.  It bugged him not knowing what this company was.  He did have an address. He decided that if he went to their offices he could maybe find out what they did, even if he couldn't talk to anybody today.  He had nothing better to do until Monday when he needed to go to work on his mural. He decided he would call a taxi since he didn't have any idea where this address was.  Besides he had $7500 to spend that he had never expected to have.



The taxi driver knew the area where the address was.  "That's in Hyde Park," he told Justin.



"I was just down there with a friend of mine last night," Justin replied remembering that that was what Rick had called the area where he worked.  Maybe that was why he was getting this money. They could have sold their property or something. Maybe it was a one time thing.



"It's the in place right now.  Lots of development."


"Yeah, I know."  Justin thought about Rick.  He would be working right now.  Maybe he'd go to the bistro if it wasn't too far from where the driver let him off.  He wanted to talk to somebody about this. He wished Rick wasn't working and he would have got the man to come with him to check this place out.



"Here we are," the driver said suddenly.  


Justin looked out at an old mansion.  He had expected an office building of some sort.  He quickly paid the cabbie and stepped out. The taxi took off as Justin looked around.  It seemed very familiar. He looked across the road and realized that Le Bistro, Rick's restaurant, was over there.  Why had the cabbie brought him here? He turned and realized that from the position of Le Bistro this had to be the Quoin.  It looked somewhat different in the daylight, but he was sure this was what Rick had called the Quoin. The cabbie must have made a mistake.  He took out the sheet Ms. Parker had given him and rechecked the address. This was it. The only thing on the façade of the building was the street number and it matched the one on his paper.



Now he was really confused.  He didn't think he wanted to go into the Quoin by himself, but he still wanted some answers.  He wished Rick could come with him, but he would be in the middle of the lunch rush on a Saturday.  He couldn't just stand there like some scared little faggot. He needed to go inside and see if he could get some more information about Applegay.  Maybe there was some kind of mistake and they could direct him to the correct place.



Taking a deep breath he pushed open the door.  There was a rather austere but elegant foyer in front of him.  He looked around and saw a desk off to one side. Behind it sat a rather muscular looking young man in a beautiful blue sweater.  He looked casual but elegant. He smiled at Justin as he approached the desk. Obviously the man knew how to make people feel at home, but he also looked like someone you wouldn't want to mess with.



"May I help you?" he said to Justin.



"I hope you can," Justin replied.



"Are you looking for a job?" he asked when Justin hesitated.



"Oh my God, no!"



"Sorry, but I thought you might be.  I could see our clients drooling all over you."



Justin felt himself blushing.  "I … I …"



"Do you want to hire one of our boys?" the man asked trying to help Justin through his apparent unease.



"Shit, no!" Justin gasped.  "Sorry. I'm not sure I'm in the right place."


"Well, what are you looking for?" the man asked, his patience seeming to run a little thin.



"I was given this address as being the one for Applegay Management."


"Oh," the man said seeming not to be too surprised by Justin's statement.



"Is this the right place for it?" Justin asked hoping he would be directed somewhere else.



"They have an…um…office here," the man said slowly.



"Could I speak to someone from Applegay?"



"I don't think that's possible."


"I know it's Saturday, but I really need to talk to someone from the company."


"As I said, I don't think that's possible."



"Could you tell me what they do?"


The man looked at him like he was from outer space.  "Why they run this place. What do you think they would do?"


"This place?  Shit!"



"Excuse me," the man said looking like he was about ready to throw Justin out.



"Could I make an appointment to see someone from Applegay?" Justin asked hurriedly.



"I don't think I can do that."


"Why not?"



"It's not my job to make appointments for Applegay."


"Can you tell me how to get in touch with them?"



"This is their phone number."  He handed Justin a card. Justin looked at it and realized it was the number he had called this morning.



"Could I speak to the manager of the Quoin?" Justin asked hoping that this person might be able to explain what was going on.



"I don't think he's available at the moment."


"I could wait."


"He may not be available for a long time."


"I'll wait."


"Just a minute."  The man picked up his phone and hit a few numbers.  "I have someone out here who would like to speak to the manager."  Suddenly he held the phone away from his ear. Justin could hear words like "Fucking Asshole" and "Fucking not to be interrupted."  Finally the tirade ended and the man set the phone back in its cradle. "I told you that I didn't think he would be available."



"I see what you mean, but I really need to speak to him," Justin pleaded.



"May I ask what's so important?"



"I can't really explain it.  I just need to see him. Can I please wait?"


The man behind the desk softened a little at Justin's plea.  "I can't guarantee that he'll see you when he's done. He can be … difficult."


"Oh," Justin said wondering if maybe he should just cut his losses and leave.  If he did that, he'd be no farther ahead for all his efforts. "I'll wait."


"Suit yourself," the man conceded, "but you may be sorry."


"Why?"



"Don't tell anybody, but he's in there right now reaming out somebody.  You heard what he was like on the phone. He hates to be interrupted or have things go wrong in his orderly arrangement of life."



Justin grimaced.  "Sounds like a real asshole."


"That's as good a description as any," the man said with a chuckle.



"Can I sit here?" Justin asked pointing to a chair near the desk.



"Sure," the man said.  "Pull it over closer. I could use a little company.  This is a slack time of day. It'll pick up in a couple of hours.  Want a coffee?"


"That would be great," Justin said happy to be on better terms with this man.  Maybe he could get some information about Applegay and this asshole manager before he came face to face with the man.



Justin took the coffee and had a sip.  It was excellent. "This is great coffee," Justin said.  "Better than Starbucks."


"Nothing but the best for the Quoin."


"How long have you worked here?" Justin asked.



"Almost two years.  It used to be run by somebody else, but one day about a year ago this new guy shows up.  Seems he had bought up a lot of stock and was now the owner. He got rid of the other manager and took over running the place himself.  He has really made a huge difference. We have double the number of boys working here, and we're packed most of the time."


"Wow, he must really know what he's doing."


"He does.  Not everybody likes him, but he's extremely fair.  If you do your job effectively you make an excellent wage, me included."


"And if you don't do your job effectively?" Justin had to ask.



"You're gone.  I think that's what's happening to Rico right now."


"Rico?"


"Yeah, he's one of the boys.  He's in there right now being reamed out.  Most likely he'll get his walking papers."


"What did he do?"



"I probably shouldn't tell you this," he said sliding closer to Justin.



Justin could tell he liked to have gossip to share, a little like Emmett.  "It won't go any further," Justin promised.



"Last night there was an incident."



"Incident?"


"Yeah, this guy came in.  He's been here a few times before.  He's really into kink, some sick stuff that we just simply won't do.  The desk has been warned not to let him in if he's drunk because he tends to get nasty.  He had a minor incident a while ago and had been told that he would be barred if he caused any more problems."


Justin wondered if it was the asshole Rick had told him about, the one that they had seen being stuffed into a taxi last night.  "So what happened?"


"I wasn't on the desk last night, but apparently he came in and wanted to have a boy who would allow some fisting.  We only have a couple of boys who are into that and neither was available. He was told so, but he said he wanted a boy anyway.  Rico was the only one left, so he was sent up to Rico's room."


"That doesn't sound so bad," Justin observed.



"Rico did what he wasn't supposed to do.  This guy had already had a few, but he wasn't drunk yet.  He got Rico to order a bottle of scotch and he polished it off in short order.  The boys are supposed to monitor the alcohol intake and not let the guests get too sloshed.  After he drank the liquor he got very rough with Rico, tried to fist him. That's when Rico should have called for security.  There's a button beside the bed for exactly that purpose."



"Are you security?" Justin asked.  "I mean, you look like you could handle yourself."


"Thanks," the guy said with a smile.  "There's one bouncer on duty at all times, but I'm backup if it's needed.  "Anyway, Rico tried to fight him off and the guy slammed him into the wall and took off naked down the hall.  Rico should have called for help then and there. Instead he went after him. The guy tried several doors until he found one that had been left unlocked.  He went slamming into that room and tried to fist the customer who … was in the middle of something with Todd, the boy whose room it was."



"Holy shit!  What happened?"



"Rico found him and tried to pull him away.  He got knocked to the floor again. By that time Todd had rung for security and they arrived.  They dragged the guy back to Rico's room and got him dressed. He was thrown into a taxi and can never come back here."


"That's good.  He shouldn't be allowed back in."



"That's true, but I feel sorry for Rico.  He was trying to keep things under control, but he broke all the rules.  That's probably why he'll be out on his ear."



"Too bad."


Just then they heard a door down the hall open and close.  A nice looking young man came around the corner a second later.  He looked shaken and shrugged at the guy at the desk. Then he proceeded up the stairs.  The buzzer on the phone went off. The man at the desk picked it up."


"Yes," he said.  "All right. Yes, sir.  Um … the man that wanted to speak with you is still here.  I'll tell him. Okay."


"Was that Rico?" Justin asked wanting to know what happened.



"Yeah, he's picking up his belongings.  He's been fired. I'm supposed to make sure he's out of here in five minutes."


"That's kind of harsh, isn't it?" Justin asked.



"What did I tell you?  Asshole is his middle name.  He'll be out in a minute if you're sure you want to face him.  He'll probably be in a foul mood."


"I …" Justin began, having second thoughts about this being the right time to confront the manager.



"Where is he?" a familiar voice said from behind him.


 

"I'm right here," Justin said standing up and turning to face Brian Kinney.

Chapter 4 by Thyme

"Justin?" Brian said his voice full of disbelief and something else that Justin couldn't identify.  Then his face turned cold and he demanded, "What the fuck are you doing here?"


"Nice to see you too, Brian," Justin said fighting to maintain his composure.  Brian still looked the same and he felt his groin twist with old memories.



Brian scowled at him more to cover the growing problem in his trousers than anything else.  Christ, Justin looked hot, a little older but twice as desirable. He had to get a grip. "Come into my office," he said thinking he better get both of them away from the obviously interested gaze of Jake at the front desk.  He turned and ushered Justin down the hall doing his best to refrain from touching the boy.



Once the door was closed behind them Brian rounded on him.  "How the fuck did you find me?" he demanded.



"What makes you think I was looking for you?" Justin said trying to sound like Brian would be the last thing he would be interested in searching for.



"You're here, aren't you?" Brian asked with his patented sarcasm.



"As difficult as it may be for you to believe, I came here to see the manager of the Quoin.  Not you!"



"I am the manager of the Quoin."


"Well, I didn't know that until you finally condescended to come out of your office," Justin said sarcastically.



Brian glared at him.  He was torn between the temptation to ravage those delectable lips and the need to boot Justin's sarcastic butt out of his office.  The thought of Justin's butt made him temper his next words. "So what do you want?"



"I came here on business," Justin said.



"What?  Looking for a job?"


"Fuck you!  I don't have to work in a goddam brothel, though apparently you do!" Justin retorted.



Brian winced in spite of himself.  "This happens to be my new profession," Brian said with as much pride as he could muster.



Justin saw the wince, but he wasn't ready to let Brian off the hook so easily.  "Someone told me that the manager of the Quoin was gorgeous, well hung and an asshole.  I should have known it was you."


Brian looked like he wanted to slap Justin in the face.  Justin saw the vein in his neck throb and knew that maybe he had gone too far.  "Did you come all this way just to insult me? I thought you said you had some fucking business to do."



"I … I do," Justin said deciding that he better get to the point.  "I'm looking for someone who knows about Applegay Management."


Brian looked surprised, but all he said was, "You're looking at him."


"What does that mean?"


"It means that I am Applegay Management."


"You are?"


Brian nodded.  "So what do you want to know about it?"


"What is it … exactly?"


"It's the name of the management company for the Quoin.  When I took over here that's what it was called and I never bothered to change it."


"So what does this company do?"


"Not much.  It's the name that's used to pay bills and send out dividends and things."



"To stockholders?" Justin asked.



"Yes, but there's really only one … stockholder."  Justin could see the light dawning in Brian's eyes.  "You're the J. Taylor that I just deposited a dividend for.  Fuck!"



Justin nodded.  "That's me."


"How the fuck did you get shares in the Quoin?"


"Not that it's any of your business, but they were remuneration for a commission I did."


Brian had looked stunned that Justin owned the shares, but he quickly regained his composure.  "So what do you want to know?" Brian already knew it was the large dividend that had brought Justin here.  He had wanted to find out who the shareholder was because he wanted to buy him out. How the fuck could it have turned out to be Justin?



"Why did I get such a big dividend all of a sudden?"


"Because I'm doing such a great job running this place," Brian said arrogantly.



"Was it a one time thing?" Justin asked ignoring Brian's manner.  He had come here for information and he was determined to get it.


"No, it was your portion of the profits for this quarter."


"You … you mean it will continue to produce revenue at that rate?" Justin asked stunned as he realized that he would be getting almost thirty thousand a year from the Quoin.



"I hope it will be even better in the future," Brian added.



"Holy shit!  I can't believe it."


"Would you like to sell your shares?" Brian asked suddenly.



"Why would I want to sell them when they will make me thirty thousand a year?"


"Because I'm prepared to offer you five hundred thousand for them right now."


"Five … five … hundred thousand?" Justin gasped and tried to steady himself.  "But how is that possible?"


"I told you I'm very good at running this place.  I take an excellent salary as well as dividends myself."



"You can afford to pay me that much?" Justin asked.



"I'll swing it," Brian said confidently.



"I … I don't know whether I want to sell.  I just found out that I had the shares."



"You've had them for a long time.  I've been depositing money for J. Taylor ever since I came here."


"But I never knew what was involved …" Justin let his voice trail away.



"I thought you said you didn't work in a Quoin," Brian said sarcastically.  "Taking the money amounts to the same thing. If you sell I'd be getting you out of this distasteful business," Brian said matter of factly.



"How … how did you end up here?" Justin asked genuinely wanting to know.



"That's none of your fucking business!" Brian retorted.



"Brian…"


"I'd like an answer.  Will you sell?"


"I said I don't know.  Can't we talk like civilized human beings?"



"We have nothing to talk about unless you're going to sell."


"We have a lot to talk about."



"Not going to happen."


"Then I might as well leave," Justin said turning towards the door.



"Wait," Brian said.  "I want you to sell me the shares."


"Why the fuck should I care what you want?  You won't even talk to me, so fuck off!"



Justin reached for the knob of the door.  Brian's hand shot out and grabbed it before Justin could open the door.  He pulled it away as Justin struggled to get loose.



"Let me go, Brian," he demanded.



"Not yet."


"Cut it out," Justin said trying to pry Brian's fingers off his wrist.  "When did you become a bully?"


Brian let go when Justin hit him with those words.  "I … I shouldn't have grabbed you," Brian admitted.



"Was that your idea of an apology?" Justin asked his voice dripping with sarcasm, as he rubbed his wrist where Brian had held on to him.



"I don't do…"



"Apologies?  How fucking stupid of me to forget!"



"Justin, I want those shares."


"And I haven't decided what I'm going to do about them, and you grabbing me is not going to make me any more favorable towards selling them."


Brian watched Justin rub his wrist and he was sorry for having hurt him.  He merely wanted Justin to stay and sell him the shares. But when he had taken hold of Justin, his fingers refused to release him.  He felt the old lust course through his veins. He had wanted to throw Justin on the floor and rip his clothes off. It had taken everything he had to let go of his wrist.



"Did I hurt you?" Brian asked as Justin continued to rub.



"What do you care?  You obviously want me out of your way, and you don't fucking care what happens to me to accomplish that."


"I shouldn't have done that," Brian said softly.  "I'm sorry."


Justin's eyes flew up from his wrist and stared into those mesmerizing hazel ones.  He almost believed that Brian was sorry, but he knew that Brian had changed, changed into something he didn't know and couldn't recognize.  Something inside him told him to be careful. "I'll be all right, but I'm leaving now."


"I won't try to stop you, but I'm going to ask you once more to sell me the shares."


"Is that the only thing you care about?" Justin demanded.



Brian knew or maybe just hoped that Justin wanted him to say that he still cared about him, and he did.  But he could never say that. They had been down that road twice before and both times had ended in disaster.  He couldn't do that again, no matter how much his body and his heart might want him to.



"I care about a lot of things, but at the moment I want the shares."


"Then tell me why they're so important to you."


"I came here with very little," Brian began.  "You know that no major advertising agencies would hire me."



Justin nodded.  "And you blamed me for that."


Brian sighed.  "Let's not get into that right now.  Suffice it to say, I had few prospects.  I had some shares in the Quoin that Ted had told me to buy a long time ago.  They were never something I took seriously, but then prostitution was about to be legalized.  I realized the potential and began buying up shares as quickly as I could find the money for them.  By the time I came to Chicago I had almost half and managed to get the remaining ones soon after. When I had half the shares I came here and took over.  I kicked the incompetent asshole out that had been managing this place. He was sitting on a fucking goldmine and he didn't know enough to use it. I want the rest of the shares so that I have full control over the Quoin."


"I should have known it would be about control," Justin said shaking his head.



"So will you sell them to me?"


"No."


"What?  You said if I told you…"



"I never said I'd sell them.  I said I wouldn’t sell them to you unless you told me why you wanted them.  Now I know and I'll consider it."


"What the fuck does that mean?"


"That I might sell them to you."


"Might?  You fucking asshole!"



"Takes one to know one, so they say."


Justin turned towards the door and once again Brian grabbed his wrist.  Justin pushed him away with his other hand. Brian swung him around and against his body.  The resulting jolt of electricity when they came together could have lit a large portion of Chicago.  Brian jerked Justin closer pressing his body against his own. Justin stopped struggling for a moment as the impact of their closeness swept through him.



"Brian, please," he gasped fighting to maintain a sense of himself.  He wanted to be in Brian's arms and have the man fuck him, kiss him, make love to him.  He looked into the hazel eyes and felt himself slipping away … into the old Justin who could never resist Brian.



"Brian, please," he begged knowing he was losing.



Brian jerked him tighter and then his lips were on his, sucking, gnawing, chewing.  Justin felt himself melt into Brian and his arm came up involuntarily pressing the back of Brian's head, making the kiss impossibly deeper.  Brian's tongue was in his mouth and down his throat and wrapped around his soul. He was lost.



Brian spun them around and Justin felt his jacket pulled off.  He didn't struggle. His T-shirt rose up as Brian's hands found the bare skin of his sides and back.  His erection pressed against his jeans and he thought he would explode. He could feel Brian's stiff cock jammed against his groin.  He wanted to die, but only after he had Brian inside him one more time.



"Please, please, please," he heard himself moaning between kisses.  He wasn't sure what he was begging for. He had wanted to escape but that didn't seem to be important anymore.



Brian released his lips long enough to get his T-shirt off over his head.  Justin reached for the buttons of Brian's trousers and the man slapped his hands away.  He crushed Justin against him teasing his lips with his tongue and then plunging inside once more.  He pulled Justin down to his knees and bent the boy backwards forcing him to the floor of his office.



Justin groaned in pain as his leg was momentarily trapped beneath him and he thought Brian's weight might snap it in two.  That moment of pain may have been what saved him. He freed his leg and Brian crushed him to the floor. Something about all of this seemed familiar to Justin, like he was reliving a bad dream.



Out of the fog and lust of the moment came the image of him and Brian on the floor of the loft.  He had just come back from making love with Ethan and Brian had refused to let him shower. He had forced himself on Justin using all of his skills until the boy surrendered completely in a puddle of want and need.



The words were incised on his brain and they flooded back now.  "Go take a shower. You stink!" Brian had known where he had been.  Brian had proved that he could have him any time he wanted. Brian had shown that he was the one in control.  He could start or stop what happened whenever he chose. Brian was the master, the all knowing, the all powerful.  But not anymore!



Justin raised his leg and kneed Brian in the groin as hard as he could with the limited leverage he had.  He heard Brian gasp and felt him roll off of him. "Go take a shower, Brian," Justin said as he leapt up and grabbed his shirt and jacket.  "You stink!"


He opened the office door and taking one last look at the man gasping on the floor, he slammed it behind him.  He took one step down the hallway and leaned unsteadily against the wall. The plaster felt cool against his forehead.  A sob escaped as he stood trembling a mere foot outside the office door. He knew he needed to get out of there but he didn't seem to have any strength in his legs.  If he hadn't been leaning against the wall he was sure he would have fallen flat on his face.



After a minute or two Justin managed to take a deep breath.  He stood up straight and pulled his shirt back over his head.  His temples throbbed and his head felt ready to explode. The raw emotion of the scene in the office had drained him of all his strength.  He felt a tear run down his cheek and wondered almost like an impartial observer why he was crying. Was it for himself and his pain both physical and emotional?  Was it for Brian, the one he used to know and the one he had found inside that office? Was it for what had been, for what might have been, or for what it had become?  He didn't have any answers to these questions and he was too tired to think about them anymore. He managed to get his jacket on and walked unsteadily to the foyer.



As he turned the corner he saw the man he had talked to sitting at his desk.  Jake looked up and immediately rushed over to Justin.



"What happened in there?" Jake asked.



"Nothing … nothing," Justin mumbled.  "I need a taxi."


"Sure, but do you think you should be going anywhere?  Come over here and sit down."


Justin was sure that if he sat down he would never get up again.  "No," Justin said pushing Jake away and taking a step towards the door.  "I need a taxi."


"There's probably one outside," Jake said.  "I'll go see."


Justin managed to walk slowly behind Jake who disappeared outside.  By the time Justin opened the door of the Quoin Jake had a taxi waiting for him.



"Thanks," Justin said as he half fell into the cab.  He managed to give the driver his address and then let his head collapse against the seat back.  Wave after wave of nausea swept through him. He did his best to fight it back. He didn't want to throw up all over the cab.  He just wanted to get home.



Finally the cab pulled up in front of his building.  He managed to pay the driver and ran for the elevator.  He struggled to find the key to his apartment as he rode up to his floor.  He shoved the key in the lock and raced to his bathroom. He flipped up the toilet seat and it all came pouring out – the shock, the pain, the loss – all in a torrent of bile.  When nothing else would come up he grabbed some toilet paper and wiped his mouth. The foul taste was still there, but he knew it was more than the taste of throwing up.



Justin lay on the floor of his bathroom.  His legs came up against his chest and he rocked back and forth in agony.  He could hear sounds coming from somewhere and he realized he was moaning. The sound of his own pain came from deep inside him.  He had never felt so lost, so betrayed, so scared. He couldn't believe what he and Brian had become.



                                                              -----



Brian lay on the floor of his office.  He heard the door slam behind Justin. He gently cupped his genitals waiting for the pain to subside.  He couldn't believe that Justin had kneed him in the balls. He couldn't believe that he had attacked the boy like that.  He couldn't believe that he still had such strong and scary feelings for the blond. He couldn't believe that he had lost total control.  He couldn't believe the words Justin had screamed at him. But they were all true. He had to believe them. He had to deal with them.



Payback was a bitch, and Justin had certainly got his back today.  Brian gingerly sat up beginning to feel more like himself. He took a deep breath and pulled himself to his feet.  He leaned against his desk feeling a wave of nausea hit his stomach. He turned and staggered to the bathroom behind his office.  He shoved up the seat of the toilet and it all came pouring out – the bitterness, the pain, the shame – all ripped from his body. If only it was that easy to truly rid himself of what he had done.



He was always able to bend Justin to his will, especially where sex was concerned.  He knew Justin loved sex as much as he did, and he had felt that Justin wanted him. He could feel the boy respond until they had hit the floor.  Then something had happened. He had felt the difference, but at that point he couldn't stop. He didn't want to stop, and he made himself believe that Justin didn't want him to stop.  Until Justin had kneed him in the balls.



He grimaced as he remembered the pain.  Then the grimace turned to a grudging smile.  If nothing else, he had taught the boy well. He could stand up for himself, no doubt about it.  He wasn't about to let something happen that he didn't want to happen.



The only question was, when and why had Justin learned to be able to turn off his feelings for Brian.  He could barely believe that Justin had refused him. When had Justin become the stronger one in their relationship?



Brian blinked as he realized what he had just thought.  He still believed that they had some kind of relationship, something unfinished, maybe something sick, after what had happened today.  He had convinced himself that they were totally over, but he had been wrong. Now he had to find out what was going on and what he was going to do about it.


 

He sighed as he hauled himself up from the bathroom floor.  There were better places to think. He needed to find one of them.

Chapter 5 by Thyme

Justin got himself into bed after his wrenching bathroom episode.  He slept for almost fifteen hours, awaking when the new day dawned.  The emotional turmoil as well as the physical had completely exhausted him.



It was Sunday, thank God.  That meant that he didn't have to go anywhere or do anything.  Tomorrow he was to start on the mural, but he had today to recover and to figure out what to do.



He wondered what he could possibly say if he ever saw Brian again.  They had hurt each other profoundly. He wondered if he should call Applegay Management and leave a message that he would sell his shares immediately.  That might put an end to it once and for all. That seemed to be the only thing Brian was interested in, but then Brian had kissed him and the world had spun out of control.



Justin shook his head.  He couldn't get his mind around what had happened.  It wasn't like Brian to bully him and force him to do anything.  Brian had always told him that his decisions were his own. Had the man changed so much since the last time he had seen him?



Justin threw back the covers and got out of bed.  He was ravenous. He had eaten nothing since a sandwich before he went to the Quoin yesterday.  He had thrown up most of that. He grimaced as he thought about his reaction to Brian's assault.  The use of that word even in his thoughts appalled him. Maybe it wasn't fair to call it that. He had responded to everything Brian had done to him.  At some point he wanted Brian as much as the man had seemed to want him. He remembered pleading with Brian, but truthfully he could not remember actually telling him to stop.  He was probably as much to blame as Brian was.



He poured himself a bowl of cereal and sat by the window as he ate it.  It was a lovely looking spring day. He wished he had something to do or somewhere to go so that he could get his mind off yesterday.



When he finished his cereal he felt a little better, more like himself.  He was putting the cereal box away when there was a knock at his door. He figured it must be Rick wanting to do something before he went to work.  He walked over to the door and pulled it open.



Brian stood there staring back at him.



"Go away!" Justin said firmly and tried to close the door.



Brian had his foot firmly wedged against the frame of the door.  There was no way he could shut him out.



"What the fuck do you think you're doing, Brian?  Go away or I'm calling the police."


"Wait, please," Brian said.  "We need to talk."


"Now you want to talk?  I don't think so." Justin had his weight firmly against the back of the door.  He might not be able to close it completely but he wasn't going to let Brian in either.



"Justin, yesterday was a horrible mistake.  It should never have happened. I was out of control, and I am extremely sorry if I hurt you."


The tone of Brian's voice was unmistakable.  He really did sound sorry. There was no anger or sarcasm or arrogance in his voice, only contrition.



"If I let you in, will you promise to keep your distance?  We're only talking. Is that understood?"


"Yes."


Slowly Justin opened the door.  Brian made no move to come in. He seemed to be waiting for Justin to give him permission.  That was a good sign.



"Come in," Justin said tersely.



Brian walked into the small apartment and looked around.  Justin waited for some snide comment about how small the place was or a crack about the lack of designer furniture.  Neither was forthcoming. Brian turned to face him.



"What are you doing here, Brian?"


"I needed to tell you that what happened yesterday was … a mistake."  Brian ran his hand through his hair and looked at the floor. "I shouldn't have done that."


"You're fucking right you shouldn't have."


Brian glanced up and then back at the floor.  He couldn't think of anything to say. He had hoped Justin would forgive him, but that didn't seem likely now.  "I just wanted you to know, so now you … know. I guess I better go."


"Is that it?"



Brian nodded.



"You came all the way down here to see me to say that?"


Brian nodded again.



"How did you find my apartment?"


"You're in the phone book."


"So are many other J. Taylor's."


"Not that many."


"You mean you … how many?"


"Five before I found you."


"Why?"



"I don't often say I'm sorry, but I am.  You had to know."


"Thanks," Justin said grudgingly.  Then he made a decision that he hoped he wouldn't regret later on.  "Um, would you like a cup of coffee? I was just going to make some."


Brian looked ready to bolt, but then he seemed to change his mind.  "Sure."


Justin went to make the coffee and Brian went to stare out the window.  He seemed to have a great deal of difficulty making prolonged eye contact with Justin.  Justin hoped it was because he was ashamed of himself.



Brian heard movement behind him and turned to see Justin throwing the covers over his bed.  He picked up some large cushions from the floor and lined them along the back of the bed.



"This is my sofa too," Justin said with a grin.



"Very practical … and efficient."



"Thanks.  Do you want to sit down?"


"Um, I think I'll use this chair," Brian said pulling one of the two chairs away from the small table."



"We can sit here," Justin agreed taking the other chair.  He realized it was probably a lot safer than the day bed. Somehow though, he wasn't afraid.  Brian seemed different today.



"Why are you staring at me?" Brian asked.



"You seem different today?"


"Different?  How?"


"I don't know … calmer, nicer."



Brian made a face.  "I wasn't very nice to you yesterday, but you took me by surprise."


"And it obviously wasn't a pleasant surprise," Justin said with a grimace.



"I was already in a bad mood."


"Rico?"


"How … how the hell do you know about Rico?"


Justin giggled.  Brian thought maybe that was the sweetest sound he'd heard in almost two years.  "The guy at the desk and I had lots of time to talk while I waited for you to see me."


"That's Jake," Brian said.  "And you really didn't know that it was me you were waiting for?"


"Not a clue.  I never thought I'd see you again."


"The same here."


"I only found out a couple of days ago that you weren't in Pittsburgh anymore.  I had no idea where you were."


"Didn't the gang keep you informed of my activities?" Brian asked with a trace of the sarcasm from yesterday.



Justin was instantly alert.  He studied Brian for a minute before he replied.  "I only talk to Emmett and we hadn't gabbed in almost a year."


"That's not like you, Sunshine," Brian said softly.  "Family and friends have always been important to you."


"I still have my family, and I have new friends."


"And a new life."


"Yes, a new life."


"Good for you."


"I think the coffee's ready.  Do you still take as much sugar?"


"Yes."


Justin chuckled.  For all Brian's vanity and watching his weight, sugar in his coffee was the one thing he couldn't give up.  He brought the two mugs to the table. Brian took a sip and grinned. "You always could make coffee the way I like it."


"Thanks, but it's not as good as the Quoin.  I had a cup with … Jake?"


"How the fuck long were you waiting for me yesterday?"



Justin looked for a sign of real anger, but Brian seemed more to be teasing him.  "Long enough," he said.



Brian shook his head.  "Trust you to make friends with the first person you meet.  I'm going to have to severely reprimand young Jacob for giving away company secrets.  You probably know as much about the Quoin now as I do."


"Just about," Justin teased.  "But don't be mad at Jake. He was just trying to be friendly and keep me company while I waited."



Brian chuckled.  "That's a likely story.  He probably wanted to get into your pants."


Justin gulped his coffee and coughed.  "He did think I'd be able to get a job there.  He said the customers would drool."


"Yeah, drooling is never a problem since most of them belong to the geriatric set."


"They can't all be that old."


"You have no idea."



"You're right, I don't."


"Justin, I meant what I said about your shares.  I'll pay you five hundred thousand for them, and then you won't have to think about the Quoin ever again."


"Or about you either?"


"Yeah, that too … if that's the way you want it."


"I'm not sure what I want, Brian.  That's why I couldn't say that I would sell you the shares.  I really don't know what I want to do with them."


"Maybe this will help you, one way or the other.  And maybe I'm crazy for telling you this, but … with your shares you own half of the Quoin."


"I own … own half of the Quoin?  You can't be serious."



"I am."


"Now I'm really confused."


"I told you yesterday that I had bought up half of the shares before I took over the Quoin.  I knew the rest of them were held by a J. Taylor. I had a little chuckle when I saw the name, but I never thought in a million years that it could be you."


"I could tell by the shock on your face when you realized I was J. Taylor."


"It was so fucking hard to fathom!  I didn't know what to do when all the implications dawned on me."


"Implications?"


"You own half of the Quoin.  Technically we're partners."


"Holy shit!  Partners?"


"That's part of the reason I kind of … went off the deep end yesterday.  I didn't know how to deal with that reality."


"But you do today?"


"No."


Justin chuckled.  "But you're here."


"I still think it would be best if you sell me your shares, but I'll abide by whatever you decide."


"That's good to know."


"You could make life very difficult for me if you want to."


"Is that why you're being so much nicer to me today?" Justin asked with a scowl.



"Fuck no!  I told you I'm sorry about what happened.  I was way out of line."


"Okay, so how could I make life difficult for you?"


"You're asking me to tell you how to make my life a living hell?"


"Yes, you know I'll find out anyway," Justin said with a little giggle.



Brian smiled at him, maybe the first genuine smile that he had seen since they had met yesterday.  "You are one smart little fucker, aren't you?"


"You used to tell me I was," Justin said with a hint of sadness in his voice.



"Don't … don't do that, please.  We can't go back. I think yesterday proved that to both of us."



"I'd hardly call that going back."


Brian stared at him then, trying to read what was in his eyes.  He didn't know what to say. He had apologized … several times. He wanted to forget about yesterday, but he didn't want to forget about Justin.  Sitting here talking with him was nice. It brought back memories of better times. Justin always seemed to bring out the best in him, except for yesterday.  He missed having someone to talk to. He knew that was part of the reason he had become so callous and unfeeling. He kept everything inside. He had no one to share anything with.



"A quarter for your thoughts," Justin said breaking into his reverie.



"I thought it was a penny."


"You looked like they were worth way more than a penny," Justin teased.



"They weren't worth anything," Brian said rather harshly.  "I probably should go."


"Do you have to?"  Justin regretted his words as soon as they were out of his mouth.  "I mean … I mean I don't have anything to do today. I'd kind of like to finish catching up."


"You would?  It seems like you know all about me and I haven't even asked about your life."


"I didn't think you were interested."


"Of course I am.  I didn't think you would want to tell me.  I sort of had to tell you about what I've been doing because of the Quoin."



"I don't mind telling you about my life," Justin said with a little smile.  "I kind of like my life."


"I wish I liked mine more," Brian thought.  Out loud he said, "So tell me."


Justin got them each another cup of coffee and then told Brian all about getting his first commission and how that's where the Quoin shares had come from.  He told him about the medical headquarters where he had done the lobby murals, and how that was why he had moved to Chicago. And then he told Brian about his current commission at the dress store.  Along the way they talked about life in Chicago and how it was different, and not so different, from life in Pittsburgh.



Brian could see that Justin truly loved what he was doing and was making a good life for himself.  He wished he felt optimistic about his own future. He knew he was going to make a ton of money from the Quoin, but that wasn't really how he had envisaged his life.  And, he had nobody to share it with. Unlike Justin he didn't make friends easily. Other than the people who worked at the Quoin he had never bothered to try to make friends.  And they could hardly be considered friends. They were merely employees.



Justin could see that Brian was impressed with what he had done with his life.  That pleased him. He remembered Brian trying to make him into the best homosexual he could be.  He thought he had turned out pretty well so far.



Suddenly they both realized that no one was talking.  They were still sitting at the little table each lost in his own thoughts.



"I should go," Brian said suddenly.



"Okay, but I wanted to ask about Gus."


"He's fine."


"Is that all?  What's he like?  Has he grown a whole lot?  I miss him."


"Yes, cute, yes and so do I."


"Do you see him?"


Justin saw Brian wince before he said, "I haven't actually seen Gus since I left Pittsburgh.  I call every once in awhile. I e-mail and send him things, but I didn't want anyone to know where I am."



"Why?  They must be worried about you."


Brian looked like he didn't believe that statement.  "They're better off without me. Gus is fine and the Munchers seem to be ecstatically happy with their new baby and their lesbo lifestyle.  They don't need or want me around."


"They're not Gus."


"That's true," Brian said sadly, "but I can't go back there."



"You could if you wanted to.  Emmett said they tried to find you, but nobody had any luck."


"I didn't want to be found."


Justin nodded indicating that he understood on some level.  "You should see Gus though. I'm sure he misses his father. He needs your masculine influence."



"I seem to remember someone telling me that Melanie could do that better."



Justin chuckled.  "I did say that, didn't I?  Well I take it back."



Brian gave him a funny look and moved towards the door.  "Will you think about selling me the shares?" Brian asked as he stood by the door.



"I'll think about it, but I don't know at this point."


"Okay."  Brian opened the door and turned to look at Justin.  "It was good talking to you."



"You too.  Kind of like old times."


"Yeah."


"I'll be in touch when I decide what to do about the shares."


"Sure."


With that Brian turned and began walking down the hall to the elevator.  Justin watched him go. And a part of him longed to call him back, to take him in his arms, to make love to him on his daybed.  He wondered if Brian had any of the same thoughts. Neither said anything. And then the elevator was there and Brian disappeared from sight.



Justin closed the door to his apartment and leaned against it.  That had gone better than he could have expected. He had actually been afraid when Brian had appeared at the door.  It was good that they had been able to talk and clear the air. It seemed like the old Brian had been there for most of the morning with him, and he had to admit he had enjoyed every minute of it.



Partners.  He and Brian were partners in the Quoin.  He had a lot of trouble getting his mind around that idea.  He sort of liked the thought of them working together if they could get along like they had today.  But that was pretty iffy, especially after what had happened yesterday. That had been scary and if being with Brian meant having that happen, then he wanted no part of it.



They still had a strong attraction.  He was sure they both had felt it. Sex with Brian had always been great, even when they had been growing apart.  But Justin knew he wanted something more than sex, something that Brian had never been able to give him. And the way Brian was now, he seriously doubted the man could begin to give him the kind of love or life he wanted.



And then there were the shares in the Quoin.  The shares gave them a common interest. But they also were a potential bone of contention.  Brian had never treated Justin as an equal. Somehow he doubted the man would want to do that in their forced partnership.  Those fucking stocks! All he had to do was decide what to do with them.



                                                            -----



Brian climbed into his Jeep.  He sat staring out the windshield thinking about what had happened in Justin's apartment.  Justin had been afraid of him, at least when he first arrived. Brian had felt the absolute necessity to make right what he had done yesterday.  Justin hadn't forgiven him, not in so many words, but he had invited him in. Things seemed to be a lot better between them now.



He had really enjoyed talking to Justin.  He was pleased that the young man had made a good life for himself in Chicago.  The revenue from the Quoin would mean that he could have a bigger, nicer apartment and an easier time of it.  But somehow he knew that those things weren't all that important to Justin. The boy had been so proud of what he had accomplished in Chicago, and he should be proud.  Brian wondered if Justin still drew and painted for himself, things not for his commissions. He hoped he did, because Justin was very talented. He had always known that, and he regretted that Justin had been kicked out of PIFA.  It was such a waste. All because of that bastard Stockwell.



Brian started the Jeep and headed out into traffic.  He wondered what Justin would do with his shares. He would like to have complete control over the Quoin, but he wasn't ready to have Justin disappear from his life just yet.  There were some unfinished things that haunted both of them. Could they work as partners at the Quoin? He didn't know about that, but they would have to if Justin decided not to sell.  He'd worry about that when and if it happened.

 

Chapter 6 by Thyme

The taxi dropped Justin in front of the Quoin.  He had finally decided what he was going to do about his shares in that operation.  He had taken a week to think about it and hadn't heard from Brian in all that time. He seriously hoped he wouldn't regret his decision.



He pushed open the front door and saw Jake sitting at the reception desk.



"Hi Jake," he said with a smile.



"Hello yourself," Jake responded with a genuine smile in return.  "You look a hell of a lot better than the last time I saw you."


Justin made a face remembering his encounter with Brian and the near catatonic state he had been in when he came out of Brian's office.  Jake had helped him get a cab and get out of there.



"I want to thank you for helping me that day," Justin said sincerely.



"No problem," Jake said.  "I'm glad to see that you're okay.  I never thought you'd come back here after the way you looked."


"I never thought I'd be back either, but some things have happened since then."


"Oh?  Like what?"


"I need to … um … see Mr. Kinney," Justin said thinking he better keep his visit here formal and professional.  He wasn't quite ready to answer Jake's question either.



"He's busy at the moment.  You know you have the weirdest timing," Jake said with a little laugh.



"What do you mean?" Justin asked.



"When you were here last time he was firing Rico.  This time he's in there with Rico's replacement, giving him the lay of the land, and probably reading him the riot act.  The guy starts tonight."


"Oh, do you think Brian will be in a bad mood again?"


"Hard to tell.  It depends how well this guy takes instruction."



"I see."


"Want to have a seat until he's done?  I'd rather not interrupt him."



"Okay.  I'm Justin Taylor by the way."



"Jake Martin."



"How long do you think he'll be?"


"Probably another half hour.  That's about how long it usually takes."


"Is there a big turnover in personnel here?" Justin asked.



"Not really.  The pay's great and most of the boys really like what they're doing."


"They do?"


"Yep.  The Quoin's not for everybody, but if you love sex and a pretty good lifestyle, it's not half bad."


"What about you?  You're a great looking guy."


"Thanks, but if you're talking about me working as one of the boys – been there, done that.  It's not for me."


"You tried it?"


"Yeah, I lasted a couple of weeks, but I didn't like the unknown.  Some of the men were kinky or old. I just didn't like never knowing what was coming next.  So I asked if there were any other jobs and I ended up as part bouncer and part receptionist.  Suits me fine."


"That's interesting."


"You think so?"


"Um hmm.  How has Brian been since I was here?" Justin asked.



"He was a mess after you left.  What happened in there?"


Justin ignored his question and asked another one of his own.  "What do you mean – a mess?" He wanted to know how Brian had reacted to their … encounter.



"I mean he didn't come out of the office for a long time, but when he did he looked like shit."



"Like shit?  How?"


"You looked pretty awful, but he looked worse.  His face was pale as a ghost and he seemed … I don't know … shaky."


"Shaky?"


"Yeah, he kind of looked like somebody had kicked him in the balls, you know, shaken him to the core, but not just physically."


Justin almost laughed out loud.  Jake was nothing, if not perceptive.  He imagined that both of them had been shaken to the core.  He hoped what he had to tell Brian wouldn't result in another incident like that.  He wasn't sure he could stand it. "Did … did he say anything?"


"He just looked … tortured, yeah, that's the word … tortured.  Then he asked me for a phonebook."


"A phonebook?"


"Yeah.  I asked him if he wanted me to look something up for him, but he said he wanted the fucking phone book and if he needed me to do some fucking thing for him, he'd fucking tell me.  I think those were his exact words."


Justin chuckled.  "He does manage to make his intent crystal clear."



"You can say that again."


Justin realized that Brian must have been looking up his address right after he recovered from the knee in the balls he had given him.



"You know," Jake said thoughtfully.  "You looked pretty tortured yourself when you came out of the office.  What happened? You never told me."


Justin didn't know what to say.  He knew that Brian would never want Jake, or anybody else for that matter, to know what had gone on in his office.  "Um … let's just say that we knew each other a long time ago, and when we met the other day, it brought back some unpleasant memories."


Jake looked skeptically at Justin.  He knew there had to be more to the story, but apparently he wasn't going to hear it from Justin, and certainly not from Brian Kinney.  "He should be finished soon," Jake said.



Just as Jake said that, they both heard a door open and close around the corner from the desk.  A few seconds later a very nice looking young man with dirty blond hair appeared. He glanced at Jake and shrugged his shoulders.



"Did he give you a hard time?" Jake asked.



"It wasn't the most fun I've ever done.  He has more rules than almost any place I've ever worked.  Who would have thought … in a place like this?"


"Just remember that those rules are for your own good.  The last guy who didn't follow them got shoved around and then fired."


"Point taken," the dirty blond said.  "Will you be here tonight? I have to go home and pick up a few things."


"I'm finished at six," Jake said.



"I should be back before then."


"See ya," Jake said as the man went out the front door.



"He seemed a little nervous," Justin observed.



"Brian, um, Mr. Kinney lays it on pretty thick with the new guys.  It's scary … the first time you work here."


"I bet."


"Want me to see if he's available to see you now?"


Justin nodded.  Jake punched the numbers on the phone and then spoke to Brian.  There was no yelling this time at least as far as Justin could hear.  That was a good sign.



"He says to send you in.  Do you remember where to go?" Jake asked.



Justin wanted to say, "How could I forget?", but he merely nodded his head.



He walked down the hall and turned the corner.  The door was there in front of him. He took a deep breath wondering which Brian would be behind the wood paneling.  It felt a little bit like "The Lady or The Tiger". He knocked gently.



Brian opened the door and Justin's heart skipped a beat.  The man looked good enough to eat, and there was nothing Justin would rather do.  He was dressed all in black and looked sexy as hell, and a little bit dangerous which gave Justin pause.



"Are you just going to stand there, or are you coming in?" Brian asked.



Justin realized he had been staring at Brian for too long.  He blinked a couple of times and stepped across the threshold.  "I've come to a decision about the shares," he said quickly trying to cover up his intense interest in what Brian had been wearing and how he looked and how he made him feel.



"Good," Brian said brusquely.  "Have a seat."


Justin sat down and adjusted his jeans which had suddenly got a little tighter.



"What have you decided?"


Justin took a deep breath.  "I think I'd like to keep them if you think we could work together as partners."



Justin saw a look pass across Brian's face.  He couldn't tell what it meant. It looked like relief and then fear and then anger.  Suddenly Brian's face registered no emotion. He merely stared back at Justin. "Are you sure that's what you want to do?" he asked coldly.



"I'm sure," Justin said slowly, not at all sure that he had made the right decision based on Brian's reaction.



"Then I guess we need to come to some understanding about your role at the Quoin," Brian said, all business.



"Role?  Can I actually do something here?" Justin asked.  He had thought maybe he could help Brian with the books or paint a mural on the wall, but Brian sounded like he could really be a part of the whole enterprise.



"You are an equal partner, so technically you have as much say as I do, even though you have no experience with the Quoin."


"But I could learn," Justin said hopefully.



"I thought you found the whole idea of the Quoin distasteful," Brian said coldly.



"I still do … kind of."


"Then why do you want to keep the shares?"


"I thought it might be interesting to work together with you, and I don't have much business experience.  It would be good for me to get some. I thought maybe I could help with the books or something like that."


"What?  You want to get a look at the finances to see if I'm ripping you off?"


"No … no, that's not what I meant at all.  I just thought it was an area I could help you with."


"I don't really need any help you know," Brian said in that supercilious tone that really ticked Justin off.



"Well, I guess you're going to get it whether you want it or not," Justin retorted, not liking Brian's attitude one little bit.



Brian glared at him.  "Is this the way things are going to be?"


"Looks that way."


"Then we are in for one fucking rough ride!"


"We don't have to be, if you'd treat me like the partner that I'm supposed to be."


Brian looked like he was thinking about that.  A flash of hope went through Justin. Maybe they could make it work.



"Why don't you just sell me the fucking shares and put an end to this once and for all?"


"In case you haven't noticed," Justin said icily, "I don't take orders from you anymore."


"When the fuck did you ever listen to anything I told you?"


"I always listened," Justin said defensively.



"And did whatever the fuck you wanted."


"That's not true."


"Oh?  What about the Sap and dancing at Babylon and stopping those fucking posters of Stockwell?"  Brian was getting more and more angry.



"That's it, isn't it?  It all comes back to Stockwell and my part in that."


"If the Prada fits…"


"Fuck you, Brian.  I am not responsible for what happened."


"But you will be responsible for what happens to the Quoin if you insist on exercising your partnership rights."



"We'll see about that," Justin said through his clenched teeth.  "I want an office here just like yours. I want to see the books.  I want to have a list of possible areas that I might supervise and I'll select which ones I want to do.  I want this ready for a week Monday because that's when our partnership officially begins." Justin got up to leave.  He could see the fury in Brian's eyes. "Oh, and don't try to foist some nonsense off on me. I'm retaining a lawyer. You're not going to shove me around anymore, so don't even try."



Justin grabbed the doorknob half expecting Brian to stop him.  He pulled the door open and walked out. A part of him wanted to look back at Brian to see his reaction, but he held his head high and slammed the door behind him.



                                                               -----



Brian seethed with anger as he watched Justin walk out and slam the door behind him.  His cock jumped in spite of him as he thought about the fire in Justin's eyes. That look on Justin's face had always been such a challenge.  It made him instantly hard. Suddenly Brian laughed out loud. Fuck! It was going to be exciting having Justin around. He was angry that the blond wouldn't sell him the shares, but he was also glad on some level that he was going to stay around.  Life was always interesting when Justin was part of it.



Justin always thought that Brian didn't treat him as an equal, but Brian knew that Justin was more his equal than any other person he had ever met.  And on top of that, he was about the best looking thing that Brian had seen in two years. There were beautiful men at the Quoin and he had tried them out from time to time, but none of them had ever aroused and excited him and met him as a sexual equal the way Justin had.  And none of them had ever satisfied him the way Justin did. Somewhere deep inside him he was glad Justin would be around. Maybe they did have unfinished business whether he wanted to admit or not.



                                                              -----



Justin fumed as he walked down the hall to Jake's desk.



"What happened this time?" Jake asked.  "You don't look as upset as last time, but it obviously didn't go well."


"That man is the absolute most fucking irritating man I have ever met!" Justin told him.



"You won't get an argument from me," Jake said holding up his hands in surrender.



Justin slumped down into the chair by Jake's desk.  "I should shoot him and get it over with."


"Want some help?" Jake asked with a grin.



Justin laughed in spite of himself.  "He sure knows how to push my buttons."


"So why did you come back."


"I'm stuck here."


"Huh?" Jake looked baffled.



"Meet the newest partner in the Quoin," Justin said deciding he would introduce the new arrangement and not wait for Brian to put his spin on it.



"Where?" Jake asked looking around.



"Me."


"You?"


"Yes, me."


"Fucking shit!  No wonder he was so upset.  He must have shit a brick when he found out he had a partner," Jake said.



"Oh, he knew he had a partner.  He shit the brick when he found out it was me."


Jake laughed.  "Wait till the guys hear about this."


"Maybe you shouldn't tell anyone until Brian makes an announcement."



Jake gave him a mischievous grin.  "I don't think so. This is too good to keep to myself."


Justin thought for a moment.  He was about to tell Jake to be careful, but he didn't want to be careful any longer, and he didn't want to have to worry about Brian's reaction.  He was going to do what he wanted to do. Fuck Brian! An evil grin played on his lips. "Go for it," he said finally. "I can hardly wait for the tempest that will follow."



Jake and Justin shared a little laugh before Justin got up to leave.  He knew his status as Brian's partner would be all over the Quoin by tonight and he knew Brian would be furious, but he didn't care.  In fact he could hardly wait for next Monday and his new office and his new career at the Quoin.



                                                               -----



Justin walked across the street.  It was Sunday afternoon and he knew Rick would be working at Le Bistro.  He hoped the lunch rush would be over. Then maybe Rick could take a break and they could talk.  He needed to have someone support his decision and tell him he was doing the right thing.



Rick was surprised to see Justin and took his break almost immediately.  They got a beer and sat at a table in one corner where they could have some privacy.  Justin quickly explained his new position at the Quoin and how he was going to work there.  He didn't say much about Brian.



"Wow, Justin, you have really come up in the world.  That place makes a mint. You'll have to take me out to dinner to celebrate and I expect you to pay."



Justin chuckled.  "That's a deal."



"So what's the manager like?  Is he as gorgeous as we heard?"


"Yeah," Justin admitted, "but he's also a big asshole."


"Aren't they always?  How are you going to work with him or maybe you just want to fuck him?"


Justin made a face.  "Rick, I … needed to talk to somebody because there's a little more to this story than I've told you."



"I thought maybe there was," Rick said with a smile of encouragement.



"Remember the drawing in my sketchbook of the gorgeous guy that you said looked cold and angry?"  Rick nodded and Justin could see the light dawn. "He's the manager of the Quoin. We used to live together in Pittsburgh."



"Holy fuck!  And you're going to be working with him all the time.  Do you think that's a good idea?"


"That's what I'm trying to figure out."



"Only you can answer that, but it sounds like a volatile situation."


"It is," Justin admitted remembering the scene in Brian's office.



"Then maybe you should get out of it … as fast as you can."


"He offered to buy me out, but I refused."


"Why?"


Justin didn't know how to answer that.  There were so many conflicting feelings and hopes in his head that it was already spinning.


 

"When I have the answer to that I'll know what the fuck to do," Justin said shaking his tortured head.

Chapter 7 by Thyme

Justin worked on his mural at the dress store.  He was finding it hard to concentrate. He kept mulling over his options about the Quoin.  He was torn in so many different directions, but at the heart of it all was Brian. He knew the man still had feelings for him, but he didn't know what feelings.  Lust was a given, but the other L word was still an unknown. Justin knew that deep inside he still loved Brian, probably always would. He also knew that he could never go back to the kind of relationship they had had in Pittsburgh.  It was too painful and too … incomplete. Maybe that's what he was looking for – completion – to finally end it … or maybe start over. Was that the real reason he was staying tied to Brian by not selling him his shares? Could that be the answer?



The mural was just about sketched onto the wall.  Justin was excited about how it looked. He could visualize the final product and he believed it would look spectacular.  This part of his life was going very well. He already had been to an interview for a commission to do a mural at an upscale spa nearby.  He seemed to be becoming a mural specialist. If only he could get this business with Brian settled one way or another.



Justin climbed down off the scaffolding and looked at his handiwork.  In a day or two he'd be ready to start painting. He walked outside and lit a cigarette.  He had told Rick that he needed to find the answer to why he had refused to sell his shares to Brian.  If his relationship with Brian was really the answer to that question, then he needed to do something more than merely work at the Quoin and bug Brian every time he appeared there.



A plan began to formulate in Justin's head.  He started as full partner at the Quoin on Monday.  He had decided that he would work on his mural at the store from seven to three and then head to the Quoin for a few hours after that.  That way he could juggle both jobs. But it wasn't just about the job. It was about Brian. He needed to do something to reconnect with the man on more than a business level, but not on a sexual level.  He wanted to do that before they started working together.



He pulled out his cell phone and dialed the Quoin.  Jake answered. They exchanged pleasantries and then he asked to be put through to Brian.  When Brian answered he almost hung up. He wasn't sure what the consequences of this action would be.



"Hey, Brian," Justin began once he made the commitment to speak.



"Hey," Brian responded just like he used to but with a little brusqueness to it.  He was still ticked.



"I was wondering if you'd like to have dinner with me tomorrow night.  I thought maybe we could talk and get on a better footing before I started at the Quoin."



There was a long hesitation.  "I thought this was going to be a business … relationship."  The slight hesitation before the word 'relationship' reminded Justin of the problem Brian had always had with that word.  It seemed like he still did.



"That doesn't mean we can't be friends, does it?"



"I … guess not."


"Then you'll come?"


"Sure."



"Seven at my place tomorrow."



"See ya."



Justin had hoped he might say 'later' as they used to finish their phone conversations, but he didn't.  He wasn't sure what that meant. He hoped this dinner might tell him a lot more about where they stood.



                                                              -----



Justin finished checking on the chicken and vegetables in the oven.  He had wine and beer in the fridge and a couple of scented candles burning.  He wanted his apartment to feel comfortable and homey but not too sensual. He didn't want to give Brian the wrong impression, but he did want Brian to enjoy the evening.



Trouble was, he knew what Brian would probably enjoy more than anything, and so would he.  But that wasn't going to happen. He'd make sure of that. They were going to talk and reconnect and that was all.



There was a knock on the door and Justin felt his heart leap.  Brian still had that effect on him, even after everything that had happened.  He opened the door to a box of chocolates covering the face of the holder.



"Candy?" Justin asked surprised.



"For the hostess with the mostest," Brian said revealing the grin on his face.  "I know flowers bother your allergies."



"Thanks," Justin said with a chuckle and took the chocolates.  "Come on in and have a seat." Justin indicated the daybed which looked much more like a sofa tonight than a bed.  He had made sure of that. "Want a beer?"



"Sure."


Justin took his candies to the kitchen and set them on the counter.  He smiled. He could feel Brian watching him and it gave him a warm feeling deep inside.  He grabbed a couple of beers and went to join Brian on the daybed.



"So," Brian said after he had taken a drink of his beer. "To what do I owe the pleasure of this invitation?"



"I told you on the phone that I'd like us to get along at the Quoin.  I thought this might help."


Brian looked into Justin's eyes.  He loved those eyes and felt himself melt into them.  He cleared his throat. "What's for dinner?" he asked to regain his equilibrium.  He wasn't sure how he was going to get through the rest of the evening without a repeat of what had happened in his office.  He wanted Justin. He couldn't deny that. But he had to control himself.



"I think dinner's ready," Justin said standing up.  He went to the kitchen and took the chicken out of the oven.



"Can I do anything?" Brian asked.



"I don't think so, unless you want to open the wine."



Brian found the bottle in the fridge and did the honors while Justin dished up their dinners.  They sat down at the small table.



"I feel like we should have a toast," Justin said.  He raised his glass. "To partnership," he said. Brian looked strangely at him, then clinked his glass with Justin's and they each took a sip.  "Why did you look at me like that when I made the toast?"


"I was remembering something."


"What?"



"I …"



"Please, tell me," Justin asked.  He thought it could be something important.



"It was something from a long time ago.  I don't think I want to talk about it."


"Fine," Justin said brusquely.  "I thought we could start this partnership off with the truth, but I guess that's asking too much."



"I always tell the truth," Brian said insulted that Justin would think otherwise.



"You tell the truth when it suits you.  Most of the time you just keep silent which sometimes is the same as a lie."


Brian stared at Justin.  Justin refused to blink because he knew he was right.  Brian knew it too. He took a deep breath. "When I came back from Chicago and I had forced Vance to make me a partner, I brought a bottle of champagne to the loft to celebrate with you."


"But I wasn't there.  I was in Vermont."


"Right," Brian said still remembering how hurt he had been that Justin had gone without him and wasn't there on one of the best days of his life.  "I … I opened the loft door and yelled, 'Hey Sunshine, come congratulate your partner who just made partner.' But there was no reply."


Brian felt Justin's hand cover his as it rested on the table.  He sucked in his lips and forced himself to look at Justin. What he saw there took his breath away.  It was love and pain and caring and guilt and mostly love.



"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you, Brian.  I wish I could have heard those words. They would have made such a difference."



"That's all in the past.  No point in regrets."


Justin could feel the walls going back up.  The tender moment was gone.



"What happened to us?" Justin said softly stressing the word us.



"Can we do this some other time?  Otherwise we'll both have indigestion."


They grinned slightly at each other realizing the truth of Brian's words.  They ate mostly in silence making a few attempts at small talk. Each of them knew that they were going to have to discuss that question later.  It hung over them coloring everything else. Each wondered how the other would answer that and what it might mean to their futures.



When the chicken was finished Justin cleared the table and asked Brian to bring their wine to the daybed.  They sat down beside each other.



"Are you ready to answer that question now?" Justin asked.



Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek and said, "I was a total son of a bitch who wouldn't know a relationship if he tripped over it.  We were doomed before we started."



"That's not true, Brian.  We were happy for awhile. I was happy."


Brian studied that beautiful face and finally said, "I was happy too."  Justin beamed at him. It took so little to make the boy smile. "But it all went south when I lost my job.  Nothing was the same after that."


"I know.  I was lost too when they kicked me out of the IFA."


"We were a couple of losers and that became more and more apparent as time went on."


"We weren't losers.  We were fighters for a good cause, and we got kicked in the nuts for our good deed."


Brian chuckled ruefully.  "It still amounted to the same thing – unemployment."


"But we've made new lives for ourselves here in Chicago."


"I guess so," Brian admitted slowly.



Justin was surprised.  Brian was making buckets of money and running the show at the Quoin.  He didn't seem very happy about it though. "Do you miss advertising?"


Surprisingly Brian answered immediately.  "Yes."


That told Justin a lot.  Brian wasn't really happy at the Quoin.  Maybe that was why he didn't want him around.  He didn't want Justin to see that his life wasn't so great.



"Couldn't you get back into advertising?" Justin asked.



Brian shook his head.  "It's too late. That's behind me."



"Do you know what I think happened to us?" Justin asked changing the subject.



"I'm sure you're going to tell me."


"You know me so well."



"And you know me … knew me."


"I'd like to think I still know you."


"Would you?  There's not much to know."



"Brian," Justin said.  Brian turned towards him and the sadness in those hazel eyes almost broke his heart.  Justin's hand reached out to caress that beautiful face. "I'm so sorry things worked out the way they did."  Brian shrugged and looked away. Justin couldn't stand it any longer and he pulled Brian towards him. The man resisted a bit at first, but then allowed himself to be drawn into Justin's warm embrace.  They clung together for a few minutes.



Justin could feel the stirrings in his cargo pants as the hug between friends began to become something else.  He released his hold on Brian and leaned back putting some space between them.



Brian looked slightly bewildered and then he mumbled, "I'd forgotten what it was like to be in your arms."



"Not so bad, is it?" Justin teased gently.



"Not bad at all."  Brian reached for his wine glass and took a sip.  That allowed him to put some distance between himself and Justin.  He wasn't going to repeat the scene in his office, but that kind of contact might make him unable to stick to that promise.  He cleared his throat. "Are you going to tell me what you think happened to 'us'?" There was the slightest tinge of sarcasm in his voice.



"I've given this a lot of thought," Justin said seriously.  Brian remained quiet so he continued. "After everything went south with Stockwell as you so aptly put it, you had no job and I had no school.  We began to drift." Justin looked at Brian to see if he agreed. The man nodded. "You're not going to like this next part, but here goes. You are a control freak.  Don't deny it, just listen. Gradually you began to realize that everything was out of your control. You had no job and couldn't get one. I had no school and you couldn't fix that.  All your possessions that you had worked so hard for were gone and you no longer had the ability to get them back. Your whole lifestyle was threatened and you couldn't fix it the way you used to.  That included your relationship with me. You would have drank and drugged and fucked yourself into oblivion, but I was there holding you back from your pain management and representing another anchor that was dragging you down."


Justin stopped and looked at Brian.  Brian was staring straight ahead and refusing to look at him.



"My explanation was simpler.  I'm still a total asshole," Brian whispered.


"Is that a cut above or below son of a bitch?" Justin asked trying to lighten the mood.  Brian turned and looked at him then. "I'm right, aren't I?" Justin asked knowing that Brian was denying nothing he had said.



"Probably," Brian admitted.  "But what difference does it make now?"


"I think it makes a lot of difference.  Brian, look at me please." Brian turned to look into those pools of blue.  "I never felt that we finished anything. I kind of drifted away because I knew you wanted me to.  That night at the loft when you wanted me to join the threesome, that was another example of you pushing me off the cliff.  It was a last attempt for you to control what was going on. You knew I wouldn't join you and effectively you shoved me out the door and out of your life.  Then you refused to talk to me or answer my calls."



Brian remained silent and Justin waited for him to say something.  He felt like a huge weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He had wanted to talk to Brian about this, ever since he had figured out what Brian had done.



"I was no good for you then.  Hell, I was no good to anybody, not even myself.  You've made a life for yourself here. What do you think would have happened to you if you had stayed in Pittsburgh with me?"


"I don't know," Justin said softly, "but don't you think it should have been my choice to find out?"


"You were better off without me.  I was no use to anybody. If it hadn't been for the Quoin, I'm not sure I'd be here at all."



"You mean in Chicago?" Justin asked trying to get a chuckle out of Brian, but knowing what the man really meant.



"I think I better go.  This walk down memory lane really drains the strength out of you."  Brian stood up and put his wine glass on the counter. He walked to the door.



Justin sat on the daybed and watched him.  There was more to say, much more, but maybe that was enough for one night.  "Brian, I'm glad you came tonight," he said softly.



"Yeah," Brian said as he turned the knob.



"I'll see you at the Quoin on Monday afternoon."


"Sure."  The door closed behind Brian.



Justin heard the click of the latch.  He wondered if they had made any progress at all.  He hoped so. Monday would tell the tale.



                                                              -----



Justin reached for the door handle of the Quoin.  It was Monday afternoon, his first day in this new role.  He was nervous, but he could do this. At least that's what he kept telling himself.



He walked into the foyer and was happy to see Jake sitting at the reception desk.  He could use a friendly face right about then. He needed all the support he could get.



He had not spoken to Brian since their dinner and he really didn't know what Brian's reaction to their brief discussion of the past might be.  He hoped for the best, but feared the worst.



"Hi, Boss," Jake said with a grin.



"That sounds nice," Justin said grinning back.



"Welcome to the Quoin.  I hope you enjoy your time here."


"Is that the spiel you give the customers?"  Jake grinned and nodded his head. "Is Brian around?"


"He's here but he asked me to show you to your new office."


"Oh," Justin said disappointed that Brian didn't want to do that himself.  "Okay, let's go."


Jake walked down the hall and turned the corner that led to Brian's office.  Justin thought for a moment that he was taking him there. Part way down the hall he stopped and opened a door that Justin had barely registered as being there.  Justin half expected to be shown into a broom closet. To his surprise he found quite a pleasant room with a desk and chair and a wall unit.



"Brian said to tell you he just got the basics.  You can add whatever you want, and if you don't like the furniture, you can change it."



Justin smiled.  Brian seemed to be making an effort to get him settled in.  He wished that Brian was there and then they could talk about decorating the room to make it reflect his own tastes.



"He asked me to give you this," Jake said handing Justin a sheet of paper.  "He said to pick whatever things you think you might want to do and he'll talk to you about them later.  I think he wants to show you around the rest of the Quoin himself."



"Where is he?"


"I think he's in his office, but he said he'd be busy for awhile, so he asked me to get you settled in."



"Thanks, Jake.  I'll read over this list and maybe he'll be free by then."



"I'll let him know you're here if I see him first," Jake said as he walked out and closed the door behind him.



Justin skimmed over the list of possible areas of responsibility at the Quoin.  It began with bookkeeping and mural painting which he had mentioned to Brian himself.  Then it went on to interior design of the suites. That could be interesting. Selecting costumes for the theme rooms was next.  He could probably do that. Selection and testing of sex toys was listed next. Justin did a double take but there it was. Brian knew he would never want to be part of that.  Selection and breaking in of new applicants to work at the Quoin. He was sure that was probably one that Brian would want to keep for himself. Well he was welcome to it. Selection and testing of whips and other paraphernalia for the S and M room was listed.  What the fuck was Brian doing? The last thing on the list really took the cake. Supervisor of kink and experimentation of new methods and practices. He had told Brian not to fuck with him, but this had to be some kind of sick joke. And he wasn't laughing.



The more Justin thought about the list, the more he was sure that Brian was trying to get his goat and drive him out of the Quoin.  If he could make things seem sick enough Justin might back out. He was sure that was what Brian had been thinking when he made up this list.



Justin was fuming as he stood up and walked out of his office.  The door to Brian's office was still closed, but he was not going to let that stop him.  He was going to assert himself right here, right now. He knocked on Brian's door but no one answered.  He tapped again and waited. Nothing happened. He was sure that Jake had said Brian was in his office. He turned the knob and opened the door.



Brian had the dirty blond bent over his desk.  Brian's dick was firmly planted up the man's ass and both of them seemed to be enjoying the experience.  Justin stared at Brian in disbelief. The man knew he was going to be at the Quoin this afternoon and this was his welcome aboard.



Brian looked up and gasped between thrusts, "Want…to…join…us?"


"No thanks.  I see that you decided to do the selection and breaking in of applicants yourself," Justin said with all the sarcasm he could muster.



"It's…the…best…perk…of…the…job," Brian grunted punctuating each word with a thrust into the all too willing ass.



"Fuck off, Brian.  Just fuck off!" Justin said and turned and slammed the door on the oft witnessed scene that had once more been laid out before him.


 

Tears stung his eyes as he made his way out of the Quoin and grabbed a cab to take him home.

Chapter 8 by Thyme

Justin crawled onto his daybed and pulled the covers over his head.  Brian still had all the power – the power to make him happy, the power to stir his loins, the power to hurt him.  That was the one that he seemed to be most interested in using these days. He couldn't believe that Brian had done that to him again.



His thoughts roamed back to all the other times – Hotlanta, zucchini man, the guy in his bed when he got back from Vermont, Rage, the threesome in the loft.  Now this! Justin fought the tears that threatened to pour out. He didn't want to cry over Brian anymore. He had had his heart broken by that fucking asshole one too many times.



He couldn't believe that he had been stupid enough to think that they had made some progress the other night.  He had hoped they could work together and maybe build a new relationship, but that had been a stupid pipe dream.  Brian would never change. He had just proved that … again.



Then it hit him.  He couldn't believe that he had been so stupid as not to see it before.  Brian was pushing him off the fucking cliff once again. Every time Justin had got too close or too demanding Brian had pushed him away.  He was sure that Brian felt he was doing it for Justin's own good, to warn him that he couldn't depend on Brian, to show him that he could easily replace him, to say that Justin wasn't important to him, or to drive him away to what Brian would perceive as a better life.



Shit!  Fucking shit!  And he had fallen for it once more.



A smile crept across Justin's face as he pushed the covers aside.  This realization drove away the tears and pain. That was what Brian was doing, pushing him away because he had started to get too close.  That was why Brian had left so quickly after dinner. Justin had made progress reconnecting with Brian after all, and it had scared the shit out of the man.  He still cared or he wouldn't have bothered to set up that scene in his office.



Justin's smile grew bigger.  The complicated language of Brian Kinney was so fucking hard to sort out, but he had done it before it was too late this time.  He would go back to the Quoin tomorrow. He was not going to be driven out of the partnership that easily. In fact he had just decided that he was going to expand that partnership.  Brian Kinney was going to regret the day he tried to shove Justin off this last cliff. Justin had no intention of going anywhere.



                                                              -----



Justin walked into the Quoin Tuesday afternoon.  He smiled and looked completely at ease as he walked over to Jake's desk.



"Hey, you look like you own the joint," Jake said with a chuckle.  "Oops, you do."


Justin grinned at him.  "Yes, I do," he said with pride.



"You sure rushed out of here in a hurry yesterday.  Did something happen … again?"


"Something always happens when Brian and I are together," Justin stated matter of factly.



"You two seem to like torturing each other."



"You ain't seen nothin' yet," Justin said with a grin.



"Oh?" Jake said warily.  "Just keep me out of the line of fire."


"I'll try, but no guarantees."


Jake watched as Justin rounded the corner heading for his office.  Justin stopped at his office door and then changed his mind. He walked down the hall to Brian's office.  The door was shut so he knocked and pushed it open without waiting for a reply.



Brian was sitting behind his desk studying some papers.  "What the fuck do you think you're doing?" he demanded of Justin.



"Coming to talk to you.  I thought the element of surprise might catch you with your dick in your pants instead of up somebody's ass."


Brian glared at him.  "I never invited you in last night either.  It's not my fault that you chose to open the door and see me with Ty."


"Oooh, your tricks have names now," Justin said sarcastically.



"He's not a trick.  He works here."


"Was that part of the job orientation session?"



"You could say that," Brian smirked.



"I came for my tour of the Quoin that Jake told me you were going to give me … yesterday."  Brian looked surprised. "Yes, I'm staying in spite of that little scene you set up for my benefit," Justin said pointedly.



"Set up?" Brian asked trying to look bewildered.



"Don't play coy, Brian.  It doesn't become you."


"Let's get this fucking tour over with then," Brian said brusquely standing up and coming out from behind his desk.



Justin couldn't help but give him the once over.  He looked so good like he always did, and he smelled heavenly as he walked past Justin to his office door.



"Are you coming?" Brian asked.  "Or going?" he added as an afterthought.



"I'm coming and staying," Justin said more softly than he intended.  They both remembered that night so long ago. It was emblazoned on both their minds, because it had changed each of them, whether for better or worse still remained to be seen.



Justin followed Brian out of the office.  He wondered if he still had the same effect on Brian that Brian had on him.  Based on what had happened between them already, he thought he probably did.



Brian led him out to the foyer and then opened double doors that led into a large room with couches and loveseats and chairs arranged in groups of two.  A large bar was located across the back of the room. "This is the meeting area where customers can pick out their companion for the evening," Brian said all business.



"Isn't 'companion' a bit euphemistic?" Justin asked.



"All right … they pick out their fuck for the evening.  Does that suit you better?"


"You don't have to be crude."


"Well, make up your fucking mind.  You can't have it both ways."



Justin glared at him but refused to take the bait.  He didn't want another fight with Brian, at least not at the moment.  "What else are you going to show me?" Justin asked.



"Come this way," Brian said leading Justin to a doorway.  "This doorway and the other four around the room lead to what are fantasy suites.  I only have four of them completed so far. The other one just acts as a large bedroom at the moment."



"What are the fantasies?" Justin asked.



"This one is king/servant."  Brian opened the door. The opulence of the bedroom was almost more than he could take in.  A huge four poster bed was draped with material that looked like spun gold. "There's a lot of call for this room."


"Wow," Justin responded.  "I can see why."


Brian smiled at Justin's apparent approval of what he had done with the room.  "There's a master/slave room over there. It's set in ancient Rome with togas, et cetera.  The next one is a medieval knight/serf room. The other one is a tropical paradise/clothing optional room."



"What do you think the last room will be?" Justin asked.



"I'm leaning toward a white party scenario, but I haven't really decided.  Maybe you have some ideas," Brian said almost taunting Justin to come up with something.



"I'll think about it," Justin said staring at Brian and refusing to admit that he couldn't think of anything at the moment, except maybe Brian spread out naked on that golden bed and him on top riding his cock.



Justin heard a noise and then Brian's voice said sarcastically, "Indulging in a little fantasy of your own, Sunshine?"


Justin blinked and remembered where he was.  He felt the heat of the blush surge down his cheeks and all the way to his toes.  His cock was uncomfortably hard and Brian seemed to be looking right at the bulge in his jeans.



"Let's go," Justin said straightening up to his full height and ignoring the twinge that caused as his jeans tightened even more around his dick.  "Where to next?"


"Upstairs," Brian said with a smirk.  He led Justin towards the stairs. These are the regular rooms that are used for two hours at a time, or can be booked for the whole night.  The fantasy rooms are only booked for the whole night."



"Are they the $5000 ones," Justin asked remembering what Rick had said.



"And up."



"Up?"



"Yeah, it depends what they want to do in there."


"Oh."



They looked into one of the rooms on the second floor.  Brian said they were all pretty much the same. Certain boys had certain rooms that they preferred and the front desk tried to accommodate that when they booked them.  Justin thought they could use a little more color and some nice artwork on the walls. He'd bring that up later.



"Is that the whole thing?" Justin asked.



"There's the basement."


"What's down there?" Justin asked.



"The S and M rooms and other kinky stuff."



"I … I don't think I need to see that today," Justin said quickly not really wanting to see it at all."


They had been walking back downstairs as they talked.  They arrived in front of Justin's office as Brian said, "Don't want to get up close and personal with a sling?"  Brian smirked at him.



Justin felt the color drain from his face and he felt like he was going to throw up.  Suddenly arms engulfed him and he was in his office sitting in his chair with Brian kneeling in front of him saying, "Justin, Justin."


Justin fought the urge to throw up and croaked, "Water."


Brian went to the bathroom off the office and brought Justin a glass of water.  Justin sipped some and that helped to get rid of the bad taste in his mouth. He took a couple of deep breaths.  "I'm all right now," he whispered.



"You're not all right," Brian said softly brushing the hair back from Justin's eyes.  "What happened?"



Justin shook his head and drank some more water.



"Tell me," Brian said firmly.



"The Sap, his party, drugs, the sling," Justin managed to get out.



"Fuck!  He put you in the sling?  I'll kill that fucking bastard!"


Justin shook his head again.  "No, no, no, he didn't. He tried to.  He wanted to, but I kicked him in the face and knocked out a couple of his teeth.  He let me go after that."



"So they didn't hurt you?"


"No, I escaped in time.  That's why I quit Babylon.  Sap would have fired me anyway."


"Jesus, Justin, you could have been really hurt … or killed.  Those parties get out of hand."


"I know that now, but I thought I could handle it at the time."



"I always wondered what happened to you that night.  You said you had quit when I came home."


"Speaking of which," Justin said taking another drink and beginning to feel like himself, "where were you that night?  You never came home till the next morning."



Brian chuckled.  "In jail."


"What?  What were you doing in jail?"


"I was drunk and so was Ted, so Mikey drove the Jeep.  He was speeding and the cops pulled us over. He proceeded to insult them until they arrested us."


"Why would he insult them?"



"Because a cop was boffing his mother."


 

"You mean Carl?"


Brian nodded.  "He wasn't exactly feeling all warm and fuzzy about any cops at that point."


"Brian," Justin said slowly, "why didn't we ever talk about this kind of stuff when it happened."


Brian looked sad for a moment and then the old façade went back up.  "Fuck if I know!" He stood up. "I need to get back to work."


"What exactly do you do every night?"



"Are you implying that I don't work hard enough?" Brian asked turning suddenly angry.



"No," Justin said firmly.  "I just don't quite know what's involved in running this place."


"Come to my office and you can watch the monitors of what's happening in each room."


Justin's eyes shot up and found Brian's face.  The smirk told him that he had been had. "You asshole!  Can't you ever give me a straight answer?"



"You want straight out of this queer?  Not bloody likely, Sunshine."



"Fuck you!"



"You wish.  But it does give me an idea of what to do with my evening," Brian said coldly.



He opened the door, stepped out and slammed it behind him.



Justin stared at the door.  Well, that didn't go quite the way he had hoped.  Funny that he was learning more about things from the past than he ever thought he would.  But they seemed unable to deal with the present. He still had no idea what Brian did at the Quoin and he really had no job to do either.  The place seemed like it would go on quite well without them. He knew that wasn't really true, because it had taken Brian to really get the Quoin on its feet.  Justin felt like a fifth wheel in the whole operation. He decided he might as well go home.



At the front desk he asked Jake if there was a catalogue of office furniture that he could take with him and maybe select some stuff for his office.  Jake handed him a couple of catalogues.



"You have the shortest hours here of anyone I know," Jake said teasing him.



"There's only so much of his royal highness that I can stomach at one time," Justin said sarcastically.



"He feels the same about you."


"What do you mean?"



"He's been in a foul mood and has told me to keep you occupied and out of his hair."


"That fucking piece of shit!"


"You guys need to quit torturing each other.  It can't be good for either of you, or for the business."



"If you see him, tell him I'm gone for the day but I'll be back tomorrow afternoon to torment him some more."


"Will do," Jake said breezily.



                                                               -----



Justin made sure he returned to the Quoin every afternoon.  He could see that it bugged Brian but he wasn't going to let him push him away again.  He felt like he was accomplishing nothing at the Quoin, however, and that bothered him.



He picked out some furniture that he wanted for his office and then decided that he was going to come up with the best idea for the fantasy room that Brian had ever heard of.  He took out his sketchbook and began to doodle waiting for inspiration to hit. Before he realized what he was doing, he had drawn a sketch of Brian spread out wantonly on the four poster, the way he had envisioned him the day of the tour.



"Shit!" he grumbled looking at what he had done.



He needed an idea for a room.  Other than Brian stretched out on that huge bed, he wondered what else might turn people on.  He wondered what would turn Brian on, although it didn't take a whole lot for that to happen. Suddenly the perfect thing came to him.  He sketched furiously for the next hour.



When he looked at his sketches he smiled and knew it was time to stop.  He would show these to Brian. He buzzed Jake and asked if Brian was in his office.  Jake said he'd check it out and let him know. A few minutes later his phone ran and Jake told him that Brian said he could come to his office any time.



Justin gathered up his sketchbook and marched down the hall.  He didn't bother to knock since Brian had said he could come anytime.  He opened the door and drew in a sharp breath.



Brian stood at the side of his desk, his pants around his ankles.  Some guy was lying on his back on the desk and Brian had his ankles one in each hand so that the man was fully exposed and open to Brian's dick that was plowing his ass.



Justin fumed.  Brian had done it to him again.  He was about to turn and leave when he decided to take a different tack.  "Shall I wait or come back later?" he asked icily.



"Suit … yourself," Brian said between thrusts.



Justin sat down in one of the chairs and watched Brian bring himself and the young man to orgasm.  When Brian pulled out the man gasped and said, "That was amazing."



Brian just looked at him and then mumbled, "Yeah, amazing."  He proceeded to dispose of the condom and then pull up his pants.



Justin sat with his arms crossed, his sketchbook on his knee.  The man on the desk reached for a tissue, wiped himself off and retrieved his pants.  He glanced at Justin with a somewhat triumphant look on his face.



"Get out!" Justin ordered.



"I don't have to…" the man began.



"You heard him," Brian said.  "Get out!"



"But…"



"Now!" Brian said.



"Fuck you both!" he said and stormed out.



"That won't do much for employer/employee relations," Brian said.  "What do you want?" he asked Justin.



"Are you going to put on a show like that every time I come to your office?" Justin asked ice in his voice.



"Maybe," Brian replied sticking his tongue in his cheek.



"Don't feel you have to on my account.  It's not going to drive me away."


"What makes you think that's what I was trying to do?" Brian asked innocently.



Justin huffed in response.  "Pulleeease," he said.



"So what do you want?"



"To show you these," Justin said handing Brian his sketches.



"What's this?"



"The theme for the last fantasy room."



"A schoolroom?"


"Yes.  You have a fantasy about your coach that you sucked off in the shower.  I seem to remember that you got off on me in my school uniform."


"I got off on you in anything … or in nothing," he added as an afterthought.



Justin smiled in spite of himself.  "I thought other men probably had fantasies about a certain teacher or a coach or a jock.  The possibilities are endless. We can have a classroom complete with a paddle and a locker room and shower.  Then we can have the teacher's bedroom off to one side."


Justin saw the smile that spread across Brian's face.  He wondered what he was thinking. The bulge in his trousers was becoming quite noticeable.  Obviously he liked the idea.



"So what do you think?" Justin asked.



"It has … possibilities."



"Can we start on it right away?" Justin asked his face lit up with the excitement of a new project.



"I don't see why not," Brian said with a look of admiration as he gazed at Justin.


 

Justin felt for the first time that he had earned a place at the Quoin.

Chapter 9 by Thyme

The furnishing and decorating of the final theme room began forthwith.  Brian was as anxious to have it completed as Justin was. They checked most days to supervise the installation of the showers and the arrangement of the schoolroom.



One day Brian asked Justin if he still had his St. James uniform.  Justin had brought it with him to Chicago thinking he might use the blazer or gray slacks to wear to business meetings until he got a suit.  He had never worn it finding that his meetings with people who might hire him were usually informal and held at the wall that was to be painted rather than in an office.  The customers seemed to think that whatever he wore was fine since he was an artist.



Justin said he would bring the uniform in and they could decide if they wanted to use something similar for the schoolboy to wear in the fantasy suite.  Brian said he would arrange for a tailor to come and fit the boys who would use the suite. He wanted them to look good.



When Justin arrived at the Quoin carrying his uniform in a garment bag Brian was in with the tailor.  The tailor had already measured the four men who would wear the uniforms. They all appeared to be younger than they actually were, giving the illusion that they could actually still be in school.



One of them was the dirty blond, Ty.  He gave Justin a knowing look and a little smirk.  Justin wasn't happy to see him but the boys were sent away soon after Justin arrived.



The tailor looked at Justin's uniform and said he could easily make something similar.  He would provide shirts and ties as well. Brian asked him to make up three schoolmaster type suits in different sizes for the customers who might want to dress for that role.



Justin had drawn up a crest with a logo for the Quoin.  The tailor said he would have it made up and sewn on the blazers.  The outfits should be ready in a week.



When the tailor left, Brian asked Justin if he'd like to tour the fantasy schoolroom which was almost finished.  Justin put his uniform back in the garment bag. They walked over to the meeting area and entered the schoolroom.  There were two short rows of desks and a teacher's desk already there. The blackboard had been installed. They went into the now divided off shower area and noted that all the fixtures were in.  They tried them to make sure they worked.



The schoolmaster's bed and nightstand were already in position.  The bed needed sheets and the shower needed towels. Justin volunteered to pick those up.



"It's going to be great," Justin said.  "It needs a few finishing touches though."



"Can you do those?  You have a good eye for color and coordination."


Justin beamed.  He loved Brian's praise.  "I'm glad this has turned out so well," Justin said.



"It was a great idea.  I have two customers booked in already."



"Really?  That's terrific."


"Does that still fit you?" Brian asked indicating the garment bag containing the uniform.  It hung over Justin's arm.



"I think so, but I haven't actually had it on since I left St. James."


"Want to try out the fantasy and see if we've done it right?" Brian asked.



Justin wasn't sure what Brian was asking.  "You want me to put on the uniform?" he asked.



"Yeah.  For old time sake and to see how it looks in the school setting here."


"Okay," Justin said wondering if he was starting something he might regret.  He had a pretty good idea where this might end up. He wouldn't be too upset if that's what happened.  He had been denying himself Brian for weeks now and the man had been getting his rocks off with the boys of the Quoin.  Maybe it was time to remind Brian of what it was like with him.



"I'll change in here," Justin said heading into the shower area.



"You don't have to be modest on my account," Brian smirked.



That irritated Justin but he kept going.  He had made his decision.



When he reappeared a few minutes later he heard Brian draw in a sharp breath.  Good. That was the reaction he had hoped for.



"That bubble butt of yours is barely able to fit into those pants anymore," Brian observed with a smile.



"Is that a complaint?"



"Hell no.  It emphasizes all the right things."



Justin felt his cock stiffen at Brian's words.  He wanted that man, wanted his hands on his body, his lips on his own, his dick up his ass.  He sashayed over to Brian who sat on the edge of the teacher's desk.



"Excuse me, sir," Justin said with a little pout.  "I need some help with my homework."


"What part of the homework?" Brian asked immediately picking up the role of schoolmaster.



"It's about the anatomy lecture," Justin said looking up at Brian and batting his eyelashes.



"Oh … um … which part of the anatomy lecture?" Brian asked.  Justin could see the effect he was having on Brian's crotch.



"This part," Justin said and his hand cupped Brian's package and squeezed."



"Precocious little tyke, aren't you?" Brian gasped.  "What seems to be the problem?"


"I thought maybe you could demonstrate," and he gave Brian's cock another squeeze, "how this fits … in here."  Justin released Brian and turned to wiggle his ass in Brian's face. He heard the man groan. "Can you show me, please sir," Justin begged.



That was all Justin got to say in his role as schoolboy before Brian claimed his mouth.  Brian grabbed the back of Justin's blazer and hauled him up and around. He opened his legs and pulled Justin in between them, locking his legs around Justin's hips, while his lips crushed the boy's.  Their cocks were pressed against each other and they both groaned in anticipation.



Suddenly the kiss stopped and Brian pushed Justin back a bit, but still kept him trapped between his legs.  He stared into the blue eyes. "Are you sure?" he asked.



"I'm sure."


"This could change everything," Brian said enigmatically.



"I don't care," Justin said and recaptured Brian's lips.



He had almost forgotten how much he loved to kiss Brian.  The man had this way of sucking and chewing and delving and rubbing that set Justin on fire.  He knew he could come from the kisses alone but he fought that urge. His cock throbbed and ached against his belly.



"Please, sir, please.  I need you," Justin whispered.



"I fucking need you too, Taylor," Brian stated.



He shoved Justin roughly away and slid the blazer off his shoulders.  It dropped to the floor. He grabbed the front of the shirt and ripped it open, buttons flying in all directions.  He turned Justin and yanked the shirt off his arms leaving the tie still around his neck.



Justin turned back and grabbed Brian's T-shirt.  He pulled it from the man's jeans and hauled it over his head.  Their bare chests came together again as another tempestuous kiss spun them totally out of control.



Brian grabbed Justin's belt and yanked it off.  Justin pulled at the buttons on Brian's jeans managing to get some undone before Brian unzipped Justin's pants and forced them to the floor.  His cock sprang free, dripping and swollen. Brian's hand grasped it firmly and Justin fought the need to come. He forced Brian's jeans down over his hips and they both kicked at the clothes around their feet, trying to free themselves but not break the kiss.  Somehow they got their shoes off and kicked their clothes away. Brian slid off the desk and spun them around, his lips still locked on Justin's.



Each moaned and groaned unable to get enough after two years apart.  The need to be closer was unbearable. Brian grabbed Justin's beautiful ass and lifted.  He sat the boy on the edge of the desk and leaned him backwards, pressing his lips against Justin's and forcing his tongue down his throat.



Suddenly Brian was gone and Justin tried to sit up to see what had happened.  The room swam in front of his eyes and he gasped for air. He could see Brian bent over and rooting around in the clothes on the floor.



"Fuck!" he heard Brian say.  "Fuck! Fuck!"



Pieces of clothing were being flung across the room.



"What?" Justin gasped.  "Come back."


"Condom," Brian growled.  "Where the fuck is it?" He threw several more pieces of clothing around.  "Fuck!" he yelled.



The last piece of clothing was searched and Brian roared in frustration as he threw it aside.  There on the floor beneath it lay the elusive condom packet. Brian grabbed it and ripped it open with his teeth.  He quickly sheathed his cock and turned to Justin. Justin lay panting on the desk, his lips swollen and his legs hanging wantonly open.



"Fuck, I want you," Brian groaned.



"Then take me," Justin gasped.



Brain was on him in a split second, kissing and squeezing and biting.  He bucked his groin against Justin's their swollen cocks jabbing against each other and causing exquisite pain.



"Fuck!" Brian growled.  "No lube."


Justin sat up and grabbed Brian's dick.  He slid off the desk and took the sheathed cock into his mouth.  His saliva coated it and Brian pulled him up quickly. He pressed the boy back onto the desk and stuck a finger in Justin's mouth.  Justin coated it too. Brian jabbed it into Justin's pucker and the boy cried out. He scissored another finger in and then he couldn't wait any longer.  His cock sought that sweet hole and he pressed in. Justin screamed Brian's name and Brian stopped.



"Don't stop," Justin cried out.  "I want you … now." He pulled Brian's head down into a smoldering kiss.



Brian pushed in the rest of the way and Justin squeezed his eyes shut until the pain subsided.  When he opened them Brian's beautiful face hovered above him. He bucked up telling Brian to get on with it.  He was desperate for relief and he was sure Brian was too. Brian began to pump and instantly they found their rhythm like they had never been apart.  Sex was always the one thing that was perfect between them. Their bodies spoke the language that often their voices could not master. It was that way this time too.



Sighs and moans and groans filled the fantasy schoolroom as they worked their way towards climax.  Sweat beaded on their faces and chests and arms. Justin's hands clung to the edge of the desk to prevent Brian from pounding him across its surface.  The desk was luckily strong even though it was rather cold and slippery on Justin's backside. The sounds they were making became louder as the ultimate release neared.



"Brian," Justin cried signaling that he was very close.  Brian upped his speed as his balls rose up. He grabbed Justin's cock and one tug sent the boy spiraling into orgasm.  His anus clamped down on Brian's cock and the man came with such intensity he was sure he would blow the end off the condom.  He groaned and collapsed on Justin's chest. They could each feel the other's heart pounding against their breast.



After some time Brian raised his head and Justin opened his eyes.  He began to giggle at the sight before him.



"What?" Brian asked.



"You have cum all over your cheek.  You must have been laying in it on my chest."



Brian merely looked at him and continued to force air in and out of his lungs.



"Slide up a little," Justin asked.  Brian's softening dick slid out of Justin as he did so.  The boy sighed but as Brian's face came closer he began to lick his own essence off the man's face.  Brian closed his eyes and left him to his work.



"There," Justin said clasping Brian close.  "All clean."



"What about the rest of me?" Brian asked.



"We could try out the new showers," Justin said.



"Okay," Brian said straightening up, "but…"



"But what?"



"You, me, naked, shower, we need another condom."


Justin giggled.  "Pretty sure of yourself, aren't you?"


"Only the truth."


Justin knew he was right.  "There's some in the bottom of that garment bag."  Brian gave him a look. "I thought I might get lucky on one of the flights I took," Justin giggled.



"And did you?"


"Once or twice," Justin said with a mischievous grin.



"Come on, lucky," Brian said taking his hand and grabbing the garment bag.  Justin giggled as he turned on the shower for it to warm up and Brian hunted around for the condoms in the bottom of the bag.  "Aha," Brian cried triumphantly holding up a handful of condoms. "You couldn't have gotten too lucky. You still have all these left."


Justin stuck his tongue out at him.  Brian grabbed him and sucked the tongue into his own mouth.  They turned round and round under the warm water neither wanting to break the kiss.  Brian's hands roamed Justin's body and Justin's hands clamped Brian's head against his mouth.  When Justin released him, his hands clasped Justin's buttocks and squeezed. Justin moaned his approval.



"You still have the best ass," Brian said into his ear.



"Thank you, sir."


"But you are a naughty schoolboy.  You'll have to be punished."


"Really?"


"Yes, but … um … later," Brian conceded as his cock was enveloped by Justin's warm hand.



"So are we done with the anatomy lesson?" Justin asked his hand still stroking Brian's erection.



"I thought perhaps I should show you how this," and Brian put his hand on top of Justin's, "fits here."  He turned Justin around and pressed him against the wall. Justin heard the rip of the condom pack and felt Brian's cock at his pucker.  He bent forward exposing his ass in its full glory and giving Brian easier access. "You are a bad boy," Brian teased.



"And you love it," Justin grinned over his shoulder.  It was good to be able to joke with Brian in that free and easy way that they used to.  He had missed that part of their relationship along with so many other things – dancing at Babylon, working separately but at the same time at the loft, shopping, playing pool at Woody's, sex.  Brian shoved in and forced Justin against the wall. Justin grunted and pushed back. The force of their collision drove all thought from his mind and he gave himself up to the sensations that Brian caused to course though him.   



It felt so good to be with Brian again.  He knew it was the right thing to do. They were so good together.  The old feelings washed over him and he rode the waves of pleasure that coursed through his body.  The water beat on their bodies but the thrusts were hotter. The slap of Brian's balls against Justin's ass was almost drowned out by the pulsing cascade above them.  Everything was sense and feeling. Justin basked in it. It had been a long time.



When they came within seconds of each other Brian fell against his back and pressed him to the wall.  He relished the weight of the man spent from the ecstasy they had created together. He felt Brian pull away and turned to kiss the lips of the man that he still loved.  Brian held him close and Justin knew there was no better place to be.



"The water's cooling off," Brian said.  "Maybe I need a bigger water tank now that we have this room."


Justin was not at all pleased that Brian was thinking of business.  He reached for the back of Brian's head and forced their lips together.  Brian could do nothing but kiss back. They could both feel their arousal growing once again.



"Again?" Brian said arching his eyebrow.


"It has been a long time," Justin said with a twinkle in his eye.



"I suppose we could continue your lessons on the new bed," Brian conceded.



"We're wet and we have no towels in here."



"Fuck!" Brian replied.



"Wait," Justin told him and skipped back into the schoolroom.  He returned momentarily with his shirt. "It's ruined anyway, so we can use it to dry off."


"Resourceful little thing, aren't you?"


"But of course."


Brian chuckled.  Justin liked the sound of that.  It was real and genuine. Justin finished wiping most of Brian and handed him the shirt so he could return the favor.  When they were mostly dry they walked back to the bedroom setup.



"Hm…" Brian said.  "Can we use your pants and blazer to cover the bed?"


"Sure," Justin said.  "I doubt that I'll wear it again, unless someone wants to play teacher/student."  He smiled suggestively at Brian.



"Let's do it." Brian flipped the clothes out onto the bed and crawled on top.  He patted the spot beside him and Justin joined him. Justin wrapped himself around Brian's body and kissed and rubbed every part that he could reach.  He almost knew in that moment what Brian meant by 'never enough'. He could never get enough of this man. After all they had gone through he still wanted Brian more than he had ever wanted anyone else in his life.  He suspected that would always be true.



Justin felt his cock responding to Brian's insistent kisses.  They could always turn each other on. If only Brian could feel the same way about him that he felt about Brian.  Justin sighed.



"What's wrong?" Brian asked.



"Fuck me, Brian.  We'll worry about that later."


Brian was happy to oblige and once more they danced together on the new bed getting tangled in Justin's old school clothes.  They rocked and bucked and drove each other insane with their bites and raking nails and kisses and strokes. When the inevitable happened and they were spent, they curled up against each other and quickly dropped off to sleep.



Some time later Brian heard the door to the fantasy room hit the wall as it was flung open.  He and Justin were still entwined lying naked on the new bed. He looked up to see Ty staring back at him.



"What the fuck are you doing?" Brian demanded shielding Justin with his body and grabbing at the blazer to cover them as the boy started to stir.



"We've been looking for you.  There's a problem with a delivery," Ty said still taking in the scene before him.



"Get the fuck out of here!" Brian shouted.  "And close the fucking door behind you! Asshole!"  Brian looked down to see Justin's baby blues locked on his.



"It'll be all over the Quoin in minutes," Justin giggled.



"Who gives a fuck?  They should be so lucky."


"I love you, Master Kinney," Justin said spontaneously.  He immediately knew he had said the wrong thing. He felt Brian tense up.  Next thing he knew he was alone on the bed and Brian was quickly putting his clothes on.  "Brian, what's wrong?" Justin asked in bewilderment.


 

"Don't ever say that you love me.  Don't even think it. Don't fucking love me!  I'm not worth it." The door slammed behind him and Justin fell back on the bed wondering once again what the fuck had happened.

Chapter 10 by Thyme

Brian studiously avoided any contact with Justin for several days.  Justin began to wonder if he had made another big mistake in his on again off again relationship with Brian Kinney.  He couldn't believe that Brian was going to deny what had happened between them. Finally Justin couldn't stand it any longer and decided he had to confront Brian.



Gradually he began to devise a plan.  His work on the mural in the dress store was drawing to a close.  It looked wonderful. He was very proud of it and decided that he wanted Brian to see what he had done.  He wanted the man to know that he was successful outside of the Quoin. He wanted Brian to acknowledge that he was talented and able to take care of himself and able to make his own decisions, including the one about who he would love.



He walked into the Quoin and saw Jake at the desk.  He knew the whole Quoin was abuzz with what Ty had seen.  He wasn't ashamed of what he and Brian had done, but he didn't like being the topic of conversation for all the employees.



"Hi Jake," he said as he went by not stopping to chat.



"Looking good," Jake said and gave him a thumbs up.



Justin grimaced and kept going.  He knocked on Brian's office door.  Every time he did that he wondered which boy Brian might be fucking when the door opened.



"Enter," Brian called.



Justin opened the door and asked, "Have you got a minute?"


"I'm very busy," Brian replied when he saw Justin standing in front of him.  He continued to shuffle papers.



"Brian," Justin said seriously.  "I want you to do one favor for me.  After you've done that and I've told you some things, I'll sell you my shares if you want me to."



Brian's eyes shot up to meet Justin's when he heard mention of the shares.



"That can't be all he's interested in," Justin thought.  "It just can't be." He stared back at Brian. "So will you come with me?" Justin asked aloud.



"Where?"



"Just come.  No questions, no explanations.  You'll see."


"And then you'll sell me your shares?"  Brian wanted to be sure.



"If you want them."


"Okay, let's go."



Justin told Brian where to drive as they made their way back into the heart of Chicago.  Brian remained silent but Justin was sure he was very curious about where Justin was taking him.  Justin directed Brian to part the Jeep in a lot near the store where he had almost completed his mural.



"We're going to walk a bit and then I want you to look at something," Justin explained.  "Don't say anything until you've thought about it."


Brian looked at Justin trying to figure out what was going on.  Justin merely smiled. They walked side by side to a back entrance of the store.  Justin knocked and a workman let him in.



"Where the fuck are we?" Brian demanded not relishing the idea of picking his way through a work zone.



"No talking," Justin replied and led him through the store to the front.  Finally they came around a partition. Justin stopped and turned towards Brian.  "Look at this," he said pointing to something behind Brian.



Brian turned and stifled a gasp.  Justin's mural was magnificent. He knew it was his work immediately.  The woman was beautiful and the concept was striking. Justin waited. Brian continued to study what was in front of him, especially the final figure of the woman.



"So what do you think?" Justin had to ask.



"I think you're very talented," Brian said simply.



"Is that all?"



"What do you want me to say?"



"Nothing, I guess.  We can go now."


Brian realized that he had hurt Justin.  That hadn't been his intent. "Wait. I think this is spectacular, Justin."



Justin smiled a little at that statement.  "Did you notice anything else?"


Brian made a little face.  "Yes."


"Tell me," Justin said testing him.



"You're going to make me say it, aren't you?"


"Yes."


"She has Daphne's hair and Lindsay's lips."



"Good."


"And my eyes," Brian said slowly.


Justin grinned.  He had seen it. "Right, and my mother's nose."


"No shit!"  Brian looked more closely.  "So what's the point?" he asked turning cold again.  "You're talented and can create a dream woman. I'm impressed.  Is that what you wanted me to say?"


"I didn't want you to say anything.  I wanted you to see my work. I wanted you to know that I am successful.  But I wanted you to acknowledge how you still creep into my life in the most unexpected ways.  I do love you. I always will. You can't stop me from doing that."


Brian grimaced.  "I don't want your love."


"I think you do, Brian.  You've pushed me away time and again because you think you're not worthy and I'll be better off with someone else.  So here I am. I've got a successful life, I'm pursuing my art and I'm independent, but I'm still in love with you."  Brian's shudder was palpable. "And I can't really say that I'm happy either."



"Happy?  Nobody's really happy."


"We were for awhile.  I want that again."


"Not with me," Brian said sadly.



"Only with you.  The other day in the fantasy room was the happiest I've been in two years.  Wasn't it the same for you?"


"I … I don't do happy."


"You could if you'd let yourself."



"Justin, we'd just end up hurting each other all over again," Brian said looking at the floor.



"I'm willing to take that chance."


"I'm not.  It hurts too much," Brian admitted in a rare show of honesty about his feelings.



"There are no guarantees in life, but I want to be with you.  I know that above all else. I need to be with you, and I think you need me, even if you don't want to admit it."


"We are such a disaster," Brian said slowly.  "Look at all the things that have happened to us and that we've done to each other since we've been together.  We should keep our distance."


"I don't want to settle for that, for some safe little world where I go through the motions every day and have nobody to share the good and bad stuff with.  That's not really living."


"You'll find someone to share your life.  You have so … much to offer."


"I've found someone to share my life with … if he'd let me."


Brian sighed seeing that he wasn't convincing Justin of anything.  "Can we go now?" he asked.



"There's one more part to this excursion," Justin said willing to let it rest for a moment.



"What next?"


"Come with me and you'll see."



Justin led him back through the store and out the rear door.  They walked to the street and Justin led them back past where they had parked the Jeep.



"Where are we going?" Brian asked.



"No questions.  You'll find out in a minute."



They walked a bit further and then Justin turned them in towards a brownstone style building nestled in between a couple of other similar buildings.  Justin opened the door and Brian followed him in under a sign that said Serendipity Spa.



"Is Margo around?" Justin asked the girl at the counter.



"She's expecting you," the girl replied.  "Go right in."


"Who's Margo?" Brian asked.



"Sh," was all Justin said as he knocked on a door.


The door opened and a beautiful probably middle-aged woman extended her hand.  "Justin, come in please. And this must be Brian." She shook his hand and indicated chairs for them to sit.



Brian looked askance at Justin.  He looked baffled by what was going on.  Justin merely smiled.



"I love your sketches for the mural in the massage room," she said to Justin.



"Thanks," Justin said.  "Have you thought about the other matter we discussed?"


"Yes, I'd like to discuss that with Mr. Kinney."


"Discuss what?" Brian asked looking from one to the other.



"Justin tells me that you used to be in advertising," Margo stated.



"A lifetime ago," Brian acknowledged squirming in his chair.  It was evident that he didn't like where this was going.



"Not so long ago," Margo replied.  "I remember those Brown Athletic ads.  They were hot."


"So I've been told," Brian admitted grudgingly.



"Let me get to the point," Margo said glancing at Justin for permission.  He nodded and shrugged. "This spa has been extremely successful. I have one under construction in Detroit and I think with the right promotion I can open more in several other cities.  I've been scouting properties in Cleveland and New York."



"Good for you," Brian said uncharitably.



"Justin and I have discussed the possibility of you designing an advertising campaign for my chain of spas."


"Have you now?" Brian asked looking daggers at Justin.  "I don't do advertising anymore."



"If you could come up with something as good as the Brown Athletics campaign, I know it would really solidify the success of this venture."


"I'm not interested," Brian said firmly.



"Justin said you would probably tell me that, but I had to try.  I really do like your work."


"Ms. … Margo … get somebody else.  There are lots of advertising firms in Chicago."


"I know, and I've talked to several of them, but I'd like your take on it."  Brian shook his head. "Don't say no immediately. Think about it for a week and then call me with your decision.  Please."


"I don't see the point," Brian protested.



"Give it the week and then let me know," she persisted.



"Fine," Brian replied and stood up.  "Can we go now, Justin?"



"Thanks, Margo," Justin said and they walked out of her office.



Brian was ahead of Justin as he marched down the street to the Jeep.  Justin was almost running to keep up with Brian's long strides. Justin had known that Brian would be angry, but he hoped the man would get over it and would seize this opportunity.



When they reached the Jeep Brian rounded on him.  "Where the fuck do you get off orchestrating something like that?"


"I just … Margo said … wanted someone … told her about you … good opportunity," Justin stammered.



"I don't want you fucking providing me with opportunities.  I told you that advertising is finished for me, so stay the fuck out of my life!"  Brian was practically screaming.



Justin had only seen Brian this mad once before, right after he discovered that the loft had been robbed when Justin hadn't set the alarm.  He cringed at Brian's words. Anger was one thing, this was close to hysteria.



"I assume you can get your meddling ass home from here," Brian said opening the door to the Jeep.  "Bring you shares to me at the Quoin within forty-eight hours. I'm buying you out!"


Brian slammed the Jeep in gear and peeled off across the parking lot.  He screeched to a stop to pay the attendant and then peeled out into the street and was quickly out of sight.



Justin let out the breath he had been holding.  He wanted to cry. He had been sure that Brian wasn't all that happy at the Quoin.  He knew that he wouldn't like Justin's interference, but he had hoped that Brian would at least consider the offer to get back into advertising.  He had been so wrong. Fuck, he had made a mess of everything. Now he was obligated to sell Brian his shares, and he would probably never see Brian again unless he could buy a night with him at the Quoin.


Wearily he set off to catch the bus that would start him on the route back to his apartment.


                                                               -----



Forty-eight hours later Justin got out of the cab in front of the Quoin.  He held a folder containing his stock certificates in his left hand as he paid the driver.  He looked up at the elegant façade of the old mansion. This would probably be the last time he would see the place … or Brian.



He had heard nothing from the man since he had careened away in the Jeep.  He had hoped against hope that a day or two of thinking about Margo's proposal might have softened him, that maybe he would reconsider.  Justin had talked to Margo before he had left for the Quoin. She hadn't heard word one either. He supposed that Brian was still pissed.  Maybe the shares would cheer him up.



If nothing else he wanted Brian to be happy.  He had thought that the chance to get back into advertising would appeal to him and make him see new possibilities in his life.  He had had it all planned out. That's why he had arranged the sneak attack with Margo. He knew Brian would simply refuse to consider the offer if he had told him about it before he took him to see the spa owner.  As it had turned out, it probably wouldn't have made any difference. His plans were a total waste.



He walked up the steps and opened the front door.  He saw Jake at the desk once again.



"You're back," Jake said.  "I've missed you the last couple of days."



"Missed me?  Didn't Brian tell you that he's buying me out?  I won't be back after today."



"No, he never said anything.  In fact he's been kind of quiet, holed up in his office," Jake whispered like Brian might be around the corner listening to him.  "I'm sorry that you're leaving, Justin. It was a lot more interesting with you around. There won't be anybody to torture him. We mere underlings wouldn't dare."



Justin chuckled in spite of himself.  "He'll be a lot better off without me bugging him and disrupting his life," Justin said.



"I doubt that."


Justin wondered what Jake meant by that.  "I need to see him. We're finalizing the transfer of the shares."


"Just a minute," Jake said.  He buzzed Brian's office and explained that Justin was there.  "He says to go on in."


"Thanks," Justin said taking a deep breath and girding himself for his last encounter with Brian.  He fully expected to be told never to darken Brian's doorway again. He made his way to Brian's office.



He tapped gently and heard, "Enter."  He prayed Brian wasn't fucking one of the Quoin boys on his desk.  Brian sat smugly behind his desk. Justin looked at him in surprise.  Smug wasn't what he had expected, pissed off, maybe even a little sad, but not smug.



"I brought the shares," Justin said.



"Sit down," Brian replied curtly.



"Do you have my check?"


"You'd be quite well off if you sold me those shares, you know," Brian said with a smirk.



"I thought that's what we were doing," Justin said in bewilderment.



"Maybe," Brian replied.



Justin was getting a very strange vibe from the man.  It almost seemed like he was excited about something. Did the fucking shares turn him on like that?  "What's going on?"


"I have one favor to ask of you," Brian said mimicking Justin's words of a few days ago.  "After we've done that and I've said a few things, I'll buy your shares if you still want me to."



Justin frowned wondering what the man had cooked up to throw him off his game this time.  Was he pushing him over some other fucking cliff? "Brian…" he started to protest.



"Don't say anything.  Just look at this and after you've thought about it, tell me what you think."  Brian walked over to an easel that was in the corner. Justin hadn't paid any attention to it before.  It was draped with a cloth. Brian pulled the cloth away in one deft movement.



Justin gaped at what was underneath and stifled a gasp.  It was an ad for the Serendipity Spa. Brian had obviously made it on the computer, printing some pictures that he had found and assembling them.  It showed a beautiful couple in skimpy swimsuits lying on a tropical beach. Across the top it said, "Make Serendipity happen for you." At the bottom in smaller lettering it said, "Live the life you want.  It all begins at Serendipity Spa." Justin continued to stare at the mock-up. It was good, very good, but he knew exactly what he would do to improve it.



"So what do you think?" Brian asked finally.  Justin could almost feel the man bursting with excitement.



"I think the artwork could use some improvement."


Brian's energy level dropped several degrees at Justin's criticism.  "I know the artwork sucks. I did it myself," Brian explained with a grimace.  "It took me all night."


Justin grinned.  "The ad's spectacular, Brian.  I love the concept and the slogan is right on."



Brian beamed at him.  "It felt good doing it.  It felt right. I was … happy while I worked on it.



Justin's smile grew bigger.  "I'm so glad you said that. That's why I tricked you into meeting Margo.  I knew you weren't done with advertising."


"I don't know how you could know that when I didn't know it myself," Brian said.



"I told you a long time ago that I'm on to you.  It still applies." They grinned at each other. "Margo's going to love it, but the artwork does suck.  I could help you with that … if you wanted?"


"I was hoping you might volunteer," Brian grinned.



"Volunteer?  Hell, I expect to be paid," Justin teased.  "So, do you still want to buy my shares?" he asked praying that Brian would give him the right answer.



"Not unless you want to get rid of them."


"Actually I do."



"Oh?"  Brian's face fell. Obviously that wasn't the answer he had expected.


"I've been thinking," Justin began holding his breath in anticipation of Brian's reaction.  "If my shares are worth what you offered, then together our shares should be worth a million dollars.  God, I can't believe I said that."



Brian nodded his agreement with Justin's figures.  "Maybe more."



"If we both sold our shares would we have enough to start an advertising agency here in Chicago?"  Justin closed his eyes praying that Brian didn't explode at him.



"I believe that would get us off to a good start," Brian said softly.



"As partners?" Justin asked.



"As partners, but what kind of partnership would it be?"



"An equal one."


"That goes without saying.  I meant would it be just a business partnership or something more," Brian said almost shyly.



"Oh, definitely something more, if that's what you want."



"That's what I want, Sunshine."



Justin literally leapt from his chair and threw himself into Brian's arms.  The kiss was intense but also soft and sweet. It was a kiss between friends and lovers and partners.  "When did you make this decision? I was so scared coming here today that this would be the last time I ever saw you?  You had me so worried. I want you to be happy, and I want to be happy with you."


"I want that too.  When the idea for the ad hit me last night I started smiling and I don't think I've stopped since.  I got working on the ad right away and I haven't enjoyed anything so much in a long time. Well, except for the other day in the fantasy suite."  Justin grinned up at him still clinging to his neck. "It was exhilarating. I realized how much I missed advertising. And I had you to thank for giving that back to me.  You do make me happy. I want us to be happy together."


"That is exactly what I was hoping for when I took you to meet Margo.  I love you, Brian Kinney."


"I love you too, partner."



"Partners, I love the sound of that."  Justin released Brian and did a little happy dance around him.



"I like the sound of it too," Brian said his voice filled with lust.  "Come here, partner."

 

Brian's arms enveloped him and the kiss that ensued seared their lips together.  The artwork for the ad could wait a little longer as Brian and Justin sank onto the couch still locked together.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1426