Culturation by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:


The Kinney-Taylor family thinks it might be time for some culture.

Story # 56 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 28940 Read: 11438 Published: Apr 11, 2019 Updated: Apr 11, 2019

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine




Culturation


Chapter 1





“Daddy, Dada!” Bree screeched as she jumped off the bus from school.


“Hey, Squirt,” Brian said picking up his petite daughter and swinging her around. She giggled in delight.


“Hey, sweetheart,” Justin said as he leaned over to kiss Bree’s cheek when Brian finally stopped spinning her. “Did you have a good day?”


“Yep,” Bree said happily when Brian set her down. She placed one hand in each of her father’s. “Hey, Patrick, how are you doing?” Justin asked as the red-headed boy emerged from the bus.


“Good, Uncle Justin.” He turned and waved to another boy in the bus as it pulled away.


Together they all walked towards the house.


“So tell us all about your day at school,” Brian said. That was usually good for several minutes of convoluted explanation about everything that had happened during Bree’s day.


Surprisingly, Bree gave a brief answer this time. “I have a project to do,” she announced proudly.


“A project?” Brian asked as they entered the house. “Aren’t you a little young for projects?”


“Oh no, Dada. I’m in third grade now. And you’re apposed to help me do the project.”


“Is that right?” Brian said skeptically.


“What’s this project about?” Justin asked. He began setting out a snack for Bree and Patrick.


“We’re studying different cultures,” Bree stated.


“Different cultures?”


“Yep, you know like Navin comes from India. So, we all have to find our where our families came from and learn about that culture.” Bree took a drink of her milk and nibbled happily on a piece of cheese while she waited for her fathers to bombard her with stories of their homelands.


“Does Pittsburgh count?” Brian asked with a smirk.


“Oh no, Dada, it has to be a country.” Her face told him that she was deadly serious.


“Yeah, it has to be a country,” Patrick parroted. “I did a project like this when I was in third grade.”


“Is that right?” Brian asked skeptically. “So what country did your fathers tell you they were from?”


“Uncle Bri,” Patrick said with a big sigh, like that was the dumbest question he had ever heard. “My dads are from the United States.”


“Then Bree could do the United States,” Brian said hopefully.


Bree shook her head, and Patrick supplied the verbal answer. “No!” he said. “We were studying other cultures, so we can’t do our own culture.” Sometimes grown ups were so dumb.


“So what did you do?” Justin asked sitting down and taking a piece of cheese for himself.


“Grandpa Dan’s family, way back, comes from Scotland.”


“So that’s where that red hair comes from,” Brian joked ruffling the soft red locks.


“Probably,” Patrick admitted with a little blush.


“What country can I do, Dada?” Bree piped up. She was tired of waiting for an answer to her question.


“Where are your ancestors from, dear?” Brian asked in that sickly sweet voice that he used when he wasn’t particularly happy about whatever they were discussing.


“England, I think,” Justin said softly.


“Then England it is!”


Bree frowned. “But I know all about England,” Bree pouted. “I went there.”


“I think there might be a tad more to learn about England than what you found out while we were there,” Brian admonished.


“I want something different … like France or Mexico,” Bree stated, crossing her arms on her chest.


“Sorry, sweetheart,” Justin said, “but neither Dada nor I are from France or Mexico.”


Bree heaved a heavy sigh. “Poo!” she said looking forlorn.


Justin sat looking thoughtful for a minute before he opened his mouth. “What about Ireland?” he finally asked.


“Ireland? You mean my family?” Brian asked horrified.


“Yes, that is where your ancestors came from way back when.”


“But that was Jack’s family,” Brian protested. “I don’t know anything about the people from Ireland.”


“Then you and Bree can find out together,” Justin replied with a pleased smile on his face.


“You little…”


“Children present!” Justin cautioned. “How does Ireland sound, Bree?” he asked.


“Ooh, Ireland. I like it,” Bree replied happily. This sounded much better than England. Bree knew she could learn a lot about Ireland, and she could work on it with her Dada. “Can we go look it up in the atlas, Dada?” she asked. “We hafta have a map.” She slid off her chair and held her hand out to Brian.


Reluctantly he stood up and took her hand. As they headed for his office to find an atlas or look it up online, he threw a glare over his shoulder at his smug husband. Justin merely laughed, and Patrick joined him.



*****



As Brian and Bree were looking up Ireland and finding out how many counties the country was made up of, Brian’s phone rang.


He picked it and snapped, “What?”


“Whoa, did I catch you at a bad time?” Todd’s voice asked.


“No, not really. I’m just doing some research with my daughter.”


“Research? On what?”


“Ireland.”


“Hey, that’s where my ancestors came from,” Todd said with a laugh.


“Care to come over and help with the research?” Brian asked sarcastically.


“Um, no, I don’t think so.”


“To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?”


“It’s kind of a thank you call.”


“For what?” Brian asked arching a brow. “For setting you up in business, for turning your life around and making you prosperous, for finding you the love of your life by wrecking my ankle?”


“All of the above.”


Brian chuckled. “Well, I guess you’re welcome.”


“Such a gracious response.”


“Does this mean that you and our favorite studly physiotherapist are getting along swimmingly?”


“It does,” Todd chuckled. “We’re spending a lot of time together.”


“Well, isn’t that special,” Brian said sarcastically.


“Actually, it is,” Todd said, offended at Brian’s tone.


“Yeah, it is special when you find the right person,” Brian admitted, his voice softening.


“Very special.”


“Justin and I are very happy for you two.” Brian kept the sarcasm out of his voice, and he realized that he actually meant what he was saying. Todd had turned out to be a good friend and business partner. The whole family had come to like Gerry. It was good that the two of them were together, good for both of them.


“Thanks, Brian. Um, I also had a request. We ran into Ted the other day and he said you all were going to the symphony.”


“He told you that!” Brian’s voice rose in anger. Bree looked up at her father with worry in her eyes. “He should not be spreading information that is private.”


“Sorry, Brian, I didn’t know it was a secret. I didn’t mean to intrude. I’ll forget all about it.”


“Why were you interested?” Brian said quickly. Bree went back to looking at the maps of the counties of Ireland. Her Dada sounded fine now.


“Gerry and I thought we’d like to be a little more public … um, about our relationship.”


“What the fuck for?” Bree looked up again. “I mean, why would you want to be public?”


“It goes with the territory of being a couple, doesn’t it?”


“I never found that it did,” Brian retorted.


“Really? Then what were all the backroom shows that you and Justin put on?”


“Oh … those.”


Todd laughed. “Anyway, I just wondered if you’d object to us going to the same symphony as you. We wouldn’t be sitting with you of course.”


“Of course,” Brian replied. “We have a box.”


“No shit!”


“No shit,” Brian laughed. “And the symphony has to be the gayest place in town to show yourselves off as a couple. Look at Schmidt and his opera.”


“Well, it seemed like a good idea,” Todd said uncertainly.


“I think it’s a fine idea. Go for it.”


“You mean it?”


“Absotutely!” Brian laughed. “And ask Schmidt to help you get the tickets, since his grimy little fingers are all over this.”


“Will do, and thanks, Brian.”


Brian cut the connection.


“Dada, what county in Ireland did your Dada come from?”


Brian groaned inwardly. “We’ll have to ask Grandma Joan. I don’t know.”


“You should know about your family, Dada.”


“Riiight,” Brian said. Bree had no idea about his family and he wanted to keep it that way.



*****



“Brian!” Bobby called out as he trotted toward Brian’s Jeep. “Are you working in Pittsburgh today?” the red-headed lawyer asked.


“Yes, I’m lighting fires at Kinnetik and Babylon. I’ve gotten too complacent lately.”


“I sincerely doubt that, but it is a good idea to show your face around once in a while.”


“I also want to check in with Lacy, Hunter and Mikey’s shop.”


“You’re a good man, Brian Kinney.”


“You’re just saying that because you want something from me,” Brian snarked.


Bobby laughed. “Do you mind driving me to Family Court? Today’s the big day.”


“Big day?” Brian asked as he reached across to unlock the passenger side door for Bobby. Bobby slipped in. “And you’re looking exceptionally spiffy today.”


“Spiffy?”


“I would have said sexy but if you’re going to court, sexy isn’t appropriate.”


“Thanks, I think. Mel and I are meeting with Richie’s parents and their lawyer today with the judge. If all goes well, by the end of the day, Emmett and Drew will officially be Richie’s parents, forever and irrevocably.”


“You’re shitting me?”


“Nope. It’ll be signed, sealed and delivered.”


“Hmmm,” Brian murmured to himself as he hit the small remote control on the car visor to trigger the gate mechanism.


“What’s with that look on your face? Should I be worried?”


“You? Not at all. Call me when you know that the i’s have been dotted and the t’s crossed.”


“What are you up to?”


“Nothing.” Bobby threw Brian a look. “I promise.” Brian quickly raised his hand as an oath.


When they got into Pittsburgh, Brian dropped Bobby off at the courthouse then he went on to Kinnetik.


“Schmidt!” Brian bellowed as he entered the converted bath house.


“Good morning, Boss,” Ted greeted Brian cheerfully. Brian narrowed his gaze.


“And why are you so happy this morning, been getting some lately?” Brian shuddered at the thought as he walked into his office. Teddy followed close behind. Brian placed his briefcase on the desk then stalked back out in search of coffee. “I have been away too long. My office coffeepot is bone dry,” Brian grumbled.


“Sorry, Boss, I’ll take care of that personally,” Ted replied.


“It’s okay,” Brian sighed as he filled his mug from the communal pot in the pantry then doctored it the way he liked it.


“Brian? Is everything okay?” Ted wasn’t expecting such a mild retort.


“I’m fine, just feeling a bit useless,” Brian mumbled as he went back to his office with Ted in tow.


“Useless? That’s hard to believe. Leo Brown and son were very pleased to renew their contract. Liberty Air is over the moon with their contract and latest ad. When businesses are breaking even at best, Kinnetik is solvent and profitable. And it’s all because of you, Brian. You’re far from useless.”


“Thank you for saying that.”


“Thank you? Brian, now I know something’s wrong.” Ted pulled a chair over to the side of Brian’s desk and sat. “You are healthy, right?” Brian nodded. “Michael?”


“Improving.”


“Lindsay? I know Mel’s been staying in your loft. She hasn’t been causing trouble, has she? She’s so quiet that we hardly know she’s next door.”


“No. As a matter of fact, Melanie has been rather civil lately and helping Bobby with Emmett’s adoption of Richie. The thought that Melanie is sleeping in my bed is making my dick soft.”


“You’re the one who offered, aren’t you?” Ted asked with a smirk.


“Yeah, I did. To quote, at the time, it seemed the logical thing to do.”


“Then why the long face?”


“Kinnetik just seems to be doing fine without me. In fact all my enterprises appear to be doing well without me.” Brian frowned.


Ted thought he almost saw Brian pout. He smiled to himself. “Brian, you picked the right people for the job and you trained them well. You’ve instilled confidence in all of us. You’ve made Kinnetik one of the best companies to work for. You have the right to sit back and take a break. You’ve worked long and hard. No one begrudges your time with your family. You’ve earned it. And speaking of time with your family, do you want to know more about the concert you’re going to attend?”


“Sure.”


“You have box seats for the symphony on Saturday October 17th. The concert begins at eight so you’ll have plenty of time for a nice leisurely dinner. I’ve taken the liberty of making reservations for three at Papaganos for five-thirty. Does that meet with your approval?”


“Yes, it does. Of course, I’ll have to run it by Justin and Bree but I see no problem with the arrangements. And after I fumigate the loft, we can stay there Saturday night then go back to the cottage the next day.”


“Fumigate the loft? Do we have an infestation of some kind?” Ted asked with concern. The apartment he and Allen shared was right next door.


“Yes, the deadly smelly Melly bug,” Brian said with an exaggerated shudder.


Ted tried to hide his smirk. “Brian, didn’t I just hear you say that Melanie has been helpful?”


“Yes, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.”


Ted chuckled. “How’s Justin doing?” Ted asked, changing the subject to one less volatile. “The latest buzz around the art world is that he’s planning a new show.”


“And how would you know what the ‘buzz’ is?” Brian narrowed his gaze at Ted.


“As your personal accountant and friend, I make it my business to keep abreast of any news involving the both of you.”


“Ted, you’re gay, you don’t keep ‘a-breast’ of anything,” Brian snarked then laughed at Ted’s perplexed look.


“You do know that was a really bad pun?”


“Yeah, I know but I’m not at the top of my game today.”


“I have something that might perk you up. Be right back,” Ted said as he took Brian’s empty mug away with him. Within a few minutes, Ted was back with a full mug of coffee and the local paper. He placed the newspaper down next to the mug on Brian’s desk.


“What am I looking at?” Brian asked as he gingerly took a sip of coffee. Ted pointed to a small ad. “Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo? What the fuck is that?”


“A ballet troupe.”


“Ballet? Only blue-haired women and old queens go to the ballet. Do I look like either of them to you?” Ted gave Brian an amused look. “If you value your job you will answer correctly,” Brian growled at his old friend and confidant.


“You’re not old,” Ted quipped knowing Brian would catch the slight snap. “This is a very special ballet troupe, one that I think you and Justin will appreciate.”


“Me and Justin; not Bree?”


“As intelligent as Bree is, she may not understand the comedy behind it.”


“Comedy? Please don’t tell me they do stand up as they dance around the stage.”


“Heaven forbid. No, this ballet troupe is made up entirely with men. Sort of men in drag and on point.”


“Point?”


“Toe shoes.”


“Ouch.”


“They’re very skilled and highly sought after. When they come to town, they sell out in minutes. Because of my connections I’ve been able to get a block of tickets.”


“This is a sad state of affairs when YOU have connections that I don’t.”


“I can’t help it if I’m more cultured than you are,” Ted boasted, risking his life in the process.


“Out!” Brian barked. “Don’t you have a job to do?” Brian pointed toward the door but Ted knew there was no real malice. This was Brian just being Brian.


“Yes, Boss. Right away, Boss,” Ted kowtowed backing his way to the door. “Working, Boss, as we speak.”


When Ted was out of the office, Brian could be heard giggling. Ted smiled his way back to his own office, his job already done.


Brian booted up his computer and began a little research into the Trockaderos.



*****



“Are you ready for this?” Melanie asked Emmett and Drew. The two men were dressed in their most conservative suits. Emmett was looking exceptionally ‘normal.’


“Yes,” they answered together.


“Bobby?”


“I think we’re ready for any eventuality,” Bobby replied.


“Then let’s do this,” Mel instructed as their party walked into the judge’s chambers.


The Crosses with their representative were already sitting on one side of a table. Judge Schultz was sitting at the head.


Richie was nearby sitting in a smaller office on the other side of the judge’s chambers. He was quietly doing schoolwork or at least making a valiant attempt. He was very nervous knowing his fate was being determined in the other office. He too was dressed rather conservatively just in case he was called upon to speak. Melanie thought the judge would want to question him one last time before the adoption was finalized.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, we all know why we’re here, so let’s get down to business,” the judge announced to the parties present.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Culturation


Chapter 2





“Ashley!” Bree called as she saw her friend come into the lunchroom at school.


“Hi, Bree,” Ashley said setting her tray down on the table next to Bree’s.


“You got the salad,” Bree stated as she looked at what Ashley had on her tray.


“My mommy says you should have at least ten portions of vegetables a day.”


Bree studied her friend. “Is that like healthy snacks?”


Ashley nodded. “I think so.


“I’ll eat some of your salad if you want some of my spaghetti.”


“Okay,” Ashley agreed readily. The girls exchanged food until they were both happy with what was on their plate. Each took a bite of the spaghetti and then some salad.


“These are good together.”


“And we’re both getting our vegetables.”


“How many portions do you think we’re getting since we split it in half?” Bree asked.


“I think that must be at least four portions,” Ashley assured her friend.


“Yeah, I think so too. Maybe even five.”


“Yeah, probably five.”


Both girls giggled.


“Ashley, have you ever been to the symphony?” Bree asked after a minute.


“No, what’s a symphony?”


“I think it’s music.”


“Oh.”


“I heard my Dada talking on the phone to Unca Ted. He was saying something about Mozart.”


“Isn’t Mozart a composer?” Ashley asked.


“I think so. I remember Miss Faith telling me about classical composers.”


“What’s classical?”


“I’m not sure,” Bree said thoughtfully. “I think it’s a kind of music.”


“Maybe you should ask Miss Faith about it when you have your next piano lesson.”


“Yeah, I guess I could. Do you think your mother would know?”


“My mother knows everything,” Ashley said confidently.


“Yeah, she’s real smart.”


“I could ask her.”


“Please,” Bree said. She finished the last of the spaghetti on her plate.


“Why didn’t you ask your Dada when you heard him talking about it?” Ashley asked.


“I shouldn’t have been listening. I think Dada might be mad if I asked him about Mozart.”


“Oh.”


“So, could you ask your mother for me?”


“Sure.”


“This salad is good,” Bree commented as she dug into the remains of the salad on her plate.


“Yeah, I think we had a balanced lunch,” Ashley observed parroting her mother’s words.


“Maybe we should do this every day. You get the salad and I’ll get the not healthy food.” Ashley nodded and giggled. “What’s so funny?” Bree asked.


“I don’t think the cook ladies would like it if they heard you call their food not healthy.”


“Then we won’t tell them,” Bree replied matter-of-factly. The girls cleaned off their plates.



*****



Gus headed into the lecture hall at Penn State. He was taking a humanities course that he really didn’t want to be in, but it was a required element of the degree he was working towards.


With a weary sigh he found a seat and sat down. He didn’t bother to get out his notebook or his laptop. He didn’t think he would be making any notes. From the syllabus of the course, about eighty percent of the marks came from essays. Gus was good at essays. The remaining twenty percent was from tests, and Gus knew he had pretty close to a photographic memory. He would be able to get enough on the tests without having to put too much energy into studying for them. He wasn’t all that interested in old civilizations. He was too busy looking toward the future to care about the past.


The professor walked through a door and stopped at the lectern set up at one side of the large classroom. There were probably over a hundred students in the class. It was a prerequisite that Gus should have taken in his freshman year, but since he wasn’t really interested in ancient history, he had put it off till now.


Gus studied the middle aged man who stood before the class obviously waiting for silence. He looked like a typical professor, someone teaching the same thing year after year. Gus was not going to enjoy this course.


“Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,” the professor began. “I’m Professor Blair, and I will be taking you back through the sands of time to some of the great civilizations and cultures of our world. Shall we begin?”


He nodded and an unseen technician in a booth somewhere behind the scenes turned the lights way down and projected what looked like a somewhat crude cathedral onto the screen behind the professor.



“Anyone care to guess what you are looking at?” the professor asked.


“An early Romanesque cathedral,” a girl’s voice said confidently from the darkness. Gus agreed. He was pretty sure that’s what it was; the columns and carving looked too rough to be later than that.


“Incorrect,” the professor replied. “Another guess?”


“Early Greek temple,” someone said.


“Hm, I see why you might think so, but also incorrect.”


Gus sat up straighter. He studied the image on the screen focusing on some of the carving. He saw what looked to him like a Buddha. “It looks oriental,” he said aloud before he could stop himself.




“Ah, someone who is actually looking beyond the surface.”


Gus felt himself blush, but he was also pleased that he had seen something that no one else had.


“This is what you are looking at,” Professor Blair said just as the screen filled with a picture of a horseshoe shaped grotto full of openings carved into the rock. “One of the Ajanta Caves of India is what I showed you before. It is one of over thirty caves that were carved into the rock face about 1500 years before Christ. They predate any of the Romanesque cathedrals and most of the Greek temples.”




There was a strange hush that fell over the room. Everyone knew they were witnessing something special, something unexpected, something that they all wanted to know about.


“Now that I have your attention,” Professor Blair said, “we can begin in earnest.”


Gus shook his head. Maybe this course wasn’t going to be so bad after all. He knew he would love to explore those caves, film them, show them to the world.



*****



“Kinney.”


“It’s me. It’s over. The ‘i’s have been dotted and the ‘t’s crossed,” Bobby said into his cell phone.


“Congratulations.”


“Thanks. Can you pick me up?”


“What, no celebratory drinks?”


“Melanie and I went for coffee. We thought the new family would want to celebrate in private.”


“I’m surprised Emmett hasn't rented Babylon.”


“I think he wanted to but Drew prevailed. They’re going to discuss party plans as a family. I’m sure we’ll all be invited.”


“Where’s Mel?”


“She just went back to the loft.”


“Did she say when she’s getting back on her broomstick and flying home?”


“Brian.”


“I’m just asking.”


“Emmett and Drew have asked her to stick around for a while. They want to include Melanie in their celebration, so behave yourself.”


“If I have to. Can I at least send them a fruit basket or something?”


“Yes, that would be very nice of you.”


“What’s the matter? You sound tired.”


“I am. For a moment during the proceedings I thought the Crosses were going to change their minds. The judge called a recess so she could speak with Richie and get his personal opinion.”


“Which was?”


“Personal. Richie was able to observe the proceedings via closed circuit TV. It was very upsetting to see his parents after all this time. They expressed their concern for his well being but...”


“They didn’t want him back.”


“No, they didn’t. And there’s a new wrinkle, Mrs. Cross is pregnant.”


“Ah, they’re hoping for a ‘normal’ child.”


“Something like that. It was like a nail in the coffin for him.”


“A bittersweet victory then. Bobby, that boy may need therapy.”


“I know. Melanie recommended Karen at the Jason Kemp Center as well as continuing the support group at the GLC. The minute it was over Emmett called Karen to make an appointment.”


“Good. Where are you? I’ll leave now.”


“The coffee shop near the courthouse.”


“Okay. Be there in twenty.”


“Thanks,” Bobby said as he cut the connection.


Brian contemplated the back of his eyelids for a minute before yelling for Ted.


“Schmidt!”


“You bellowed, Boss,” Ted said as he scurried into the room.


“Send a large fruit basket and a floral arrangement over to Emmett’s, and see if you can get tickets for the Trockaderos for me and Justin.”


“Your wish is my command.”


“As it should be,” Brian snarked as he packed up his briefcase, grabbed his jacket then left to pick up Bobby.



*****



The phone at Edna’s Treasures rang. Justin was startled for a second. It had been so quiet with everyone gone for the day. He had been painting like a madman. With a sigh he dunked his brush in the cleaning solvent and wiped his hands. He picked up the portable that was sitting on an end table in the sun porch.


“Hello,” he said.


“Justin, is Pop around?”


“Hey, Gus, no, your dad’s in Pittsburgh terrorizing the employees at Kinnetik.”


Gus laughed. “I’m sure he’s having a fine time.”


“Undoubtedly,” Justin agreed. “Is something wrong? Anything I can help you with.”


“Nothing’s wrong. I just wanted to tell him about my class today.”


“What class?”


“Humanities.”


“I thought you were dreading that one.”


“I was.”


“Was it so horrible that you want your dad to help you get out of it?”


“Nope.”


“No? Then…?”


“I loved it.”


“Well, that’s a turnaround. What happened?”


“The professor is great and he showed us something I’ve never seen before.”


“What’s that?”


“The Ajanta Caves in India. Have you ever heard of them?”


“Yes, I believe I have. They’re like underground temples, aren’t they?”


“Wow, does everybody know about these caves except me?”


Justin chuckled. “I doubt it. I heard about them in an art history course at PIFA. We were discussing whether they were architecture or sculpture.”


“Oh, so which are they?” Gus asked intrigued.


“The easy answer is … both.”


“And the hard answer?”


“They are sculpture because they are made as sculpture, chipping away the rock to form designs. But functionally they are architecture – structures that people can live in or worship in. They are part of a monastery, I believe.”


“They’re amazing.”


“Yes, they are. I can tell you’re really taken with them.”


“I am.”


“So, should I get your dad to call you when he gets home?”


“Yeah. Um…Justin, do you think he would finance me to go to India?”


“India? To the caves?”


“Yes.”


“I don’t know, Gus.”


“I had this idea about doing a film on temples of all kinds, starting in India with the caves.”


“That sounds like an interesting idea, but wouldn’t you need to go to a lot of other places too?”


“You figured that out,” Gus laughed.


“So will your father.”


“I know, but India would be the starting place. I wouldn’t expect to do it all at once. It would be a multi-year project.”


“It sounds like you’ve put a lot of thought into this.”


“I’ve only known about the caves for a few hours, but I can’t stop thinking about them.”


“I’ll tell Brian to call you.”


“Thanks for listening, Justin.”


“My pleasure.”


“And…”


“I’ll put in a good word for you if I can.”


“Thanks, I was hoping you would say that.”


“You know me too well.”


“Love you.”


“Love you right back. Bye, Gus.”


Justin set the phone down and turned back to his painting. He had some serious thinking to do before Brian got home. He picked up his brush.



*****



When Brian got home with Bobby, Bree and Patrick had been home for a while and had had their snacks. They were doing their homework in the sun porch while Justin painted. Bree was working on her Ireland project.


“Hey, Squirt, Little Red,” Brian said as he entered the sun porch where Bree was working at her little table. Justin stopped painting to accept a kiss from his husband. Justin had got back to his painting after taking a snack break with the kids. Patrick was reading on one of the chaises.


“Hi, Uncle Bri, Poppa,” Patrick responded before going back to his book.


“Hi, Dada,” Bree said with a big smile.


“Don’t I get a hug?”


“Sure,” Bree said jumping up, running to her father and throwing herself into his waiting arms. “I love you, Dada.”


“I love you more,” Brian whispered in her ear. He loved the smile that always brought to her beautiful little face.


“Dada,” Bree said her face growing serious, “can you take me to Ireland?”


“What?”


“I could learn a lot about Ireland if I went there. I’d have the best project in my class.” Bree looked hopefully up at her father.


“I was thinking more along the lines of taking you to talk to Grandma Joan to find out information about the family,” Brian informed his daughter, trying not to wince at the suggestion.


“I want to do that too.”


Brian frowned as the phone rang. Justin picked it up.


“It’s Ashley,” Justin said handing the phone to Bree.


“Hi, Ashley,” Bree replied.


“When did she get the idea of going to Ireland?” Brian whispered to Justin.


“I don’t know. She didn’t mention it before.”


“Well, it’s not going to happen,” Brian informed his husband.


“Okay,” Bree said into the phone. “I think I understand. It sounds … interesting. Bye, Ashley.”


“What was that all about, Squirt,” Brian asked hoping to distract his daughter from the topic of going to Ireland.


“Um, Ashley, um, was getting some information for me,” Bree said staring at the floor of the sun porch.


“About Ireland?” Justin asked with a frown. He could tell something was up when Bree wouldn’t look him in the eye.


“Um, not ‘xactly.”


“What exactly?” Brian asked not liking the sound of Bree being evasive.


“I asked her to find out what a symphony was,” Bree admitted.


“A symphony? Where did you get that idea from?”


“It’s not an idea, Dada,” Bree said. “It’s a big band with lots of musical instruments. Ashley’s mom told her.”


“And how do you know about a symphony?”


“Um, school?” Bree said hopefully daring to look up at her fathers.


“The truth, Briana,” Brian said.


“I heard you talking about it on the phone with Unca Ted.” Bree sighed knowing the truth was going to come out.


“You’ve been eavesdropping.”


“Oh no, Dada, I just heard.”


“Would you like to go to the symphony?”


“Oh yes!” Bree said enthusiastically. “They have a piano, don’t they?”


“I think so,” Brian said with a smile.


“Then I want to go.”


“Okay, finish you’re homework and we’ll see,” Brian said. Bree went back to her table. “At least she didn’t ask again about Ireland,” Brian said to Justin.


“No, but Gus wants to go to India.”

 

There was sudden quiet at Edna’s Treasures.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Culturation


Chapter 3






“India!!!” Brian said his head threatening to explode at such an idea.


“Calm down.”


“Don’t tell me to calm down,” Brian stated trying to keep from yelling and scaring the kids.


Justin grabbed Brian’s arm and steered him into the kitchen away from Patrick and Bree.


“Let go of me!” Brian almost yelled. He yanked his arm away from Justin and started pacing the length of the kitchen. “Have I raised such spoiled and irresponsible children that they think I will pay to send them hither and yon on any fucking whim that flits into their tiny brains?”


“Brian…”


“India! Fucking India! It has to be one of the most unsafe places in the world, and he wants to fucking go there.”


“Calm down before you blow a major blood vessel,” Justin cautioned.


“I’ve already blown several small ones,” Brian replied, finally stopping to look at his husband. “If my children are trying to kill me, they’re succeeding.”


“You know they love you, and you know Bree remembers how lovely England was and so she wants to do the same thing in Ireland.”


“And what is Gus thinking – that we should all become Buddhists?”


“He’s thinking that he has started his Humanities course, and he’s learned about the Ajanta Caves that he had never heard of before. They’ve captured his imagination.”


“And what the fuck are the Ajanta Caves?”


“Here, have a look.” Justin directed Brian’s attention to his laptop which lay open on the kitchen table. It showed the grotto of the Ajanta Caves. Justin clicked through several pictures giving a brief glimpse of the wonder of the caves.


“What is this?” Brian asked intrigued in spite of himself.


“It’s an old monastery which has been carved into the rocks. The professor in Gus’ Humanities course showed it to the class. It’s from about 1500 B.C. Gus was blown away.”


“So am I,” Brian admitted. “But not enough to take off for India.”


“Gus doesn’t want to rush to India immediately. He has an idea about filming temples of all sorts. He wanted to start with these caves.”


Brian shook his head. “It almost seems reasonable when you put it like that.”


“I understand where he’s coming from, Brian. There were some artists that affected me very deeply. I felt the same kind of impact. I would have given anything to go see the original works by these artists.”


“In Paris or Rome or…”


“Lots of places.”


“I stopped you from doing that, didn’t I?”


“Do I look like I’m suffering, Brian?”


“You wanted to travel, I know you did.”


“Every young person wants to travel and see the world, see things that interest them, things that capture their imagination.”


“Including Gus … and even Bree.”


Justin grinned. “Yes, even Bree.”


“Should I let Gus go to India?”


“I’m not sure about that, but you should talk to him about it … without yelling.”


“Okay … point taken.”


“Good. Why don’t you go call him while I start dinner?”


“Okay, and thanks.”


“Thanks?”


“You always know how to calm me down and prevent me from saying something stupid that would succeed in upsetting Gus.”


“He knows you love him,” Justin said kissing Brian’s cheek.


“Yeah, but I’ve always been able to slice and dice feelings with the best of them.”


“Better than the best,” Justin said with a chuckle.


“I don’t want to do that with my son.”


“I know. That’s why I intercepted you.”


“Thanks.”


Justin grinned as Bree poked her head in the doorway from the sun porch.


“Is it okay to come in?” she asked her fathers.


“Yes, Squirt,” Brian replied. “I’m not mad anymore.”


“I don’t have to go to Ireland, Dada. I don’t want you to be mad.”


“I’m not mad, but I don’t think you can go to Ireland, Bree.”


“I know. I just … hoped … maybe.”


Brian smiled. “Can I have a hug?”


“Sure, Dada,” Bree said running over to throw herself into Brian’s arms once again. “I love you, Dada.”


“I love you too. Would going to the symphony make up for not going to Ireland?” he asked on the spur of the moment.


“You mean go to a real symphony with all the instruments?” Bree asked her eyes getting very large.


“That’s what I mean.”


“And with a piano?”


“Yes, one of those huge grand pianos, the kind with the top that flips open.”


“Wow!”


“You like that idea?”


“Oh yes, Dada.”


“Uncle Theodore has got us tickets for a few weeks from now.”


“Really?”


“Yes, Squirt. Really!”


“I love you, Dada. I hafta tell Patrick.” She took off at top speed for the sun porch to spill her big news to her cousin.


“I think she’s excited,” Brian chuckled.


“You’re lucky you had the symphony to take the place of Ireland,” Justin told Brian keeping a straight face.


“That isn’t luck. It’s called good planning.”


“So, Mr. Good Planner, what good planning have you got in place for Gus when he asks you to send him to India?”


Brian groaned. “Fuck! Have you got any ideas?”


Justin shook his head. “You’re on your own with this one. Go call your son.”


“Yes, dear,” Brian replied contritely as he headed for his office to call Gus.



*****



“Honey, can I bring you a sandwich or something? You really didn’t eat much at dinner,” Emmett said gently to Richie.


After a quiet dinner at Emmett’s bistro, the new official family went back to the loft. Richie was in his room attempting to finish his homework.


“No thank you,” Richie murmured with a sigh. Emmett sat on the edge of Richie’s bed.


“Do you regret becoming our son?” Emmett asked with sad eyes. He was at a loss to help his new son.


“No,” Richie replied without any hesitation. “I love you and Drew. I just wish that...”


“That your real parents loved you too?” Emmett asked.


Richie shook his head. “You and Drew are my real parents. I just wish that my mother and father could have loved me even a little.” A few tears began to run down Richie’s face.


“Oh baby!” Emmett threw his arms around his son. “They do love you.”


“You’re just saying that.”


“No baby, I swear. Just before they left the judge’s chambers, the Crosses told me and Drew that they are proud of how you’ve grown and of what you’ve accomplished. They even asked for a picture of you which I already emailed to them. They regret that they couldn’t be the parents you deserve and they wish you well. They just can’t seem to reconcile their lifestyle with yours.”


“Do you mean it?”


“Yes, honey, I do. Your mother hopes that one day you’ll forgive them and perhaps become friends.”


“I don’t know about that. It hurts a lot but I’ll try.”


“Sweetheart, this will sound very cliché but just keep love in your heart and the rest will work itself out.” Richie nodded his head. “Now, are you sure I can’t interest you in a little snack? Your brain can’t work without fuel.” Emmett gave Richie a toothy grin making Richie smile.


“Okay, you convinced me,” Richie said as he bookmarked the page he was reading then followed Emmett out of his room and to the kitchen. Drew was making himself a cup of coffee.


“Hey,” Drew said to Richie then hugged the young man to his chest, kissing the top of the boy’s head. “You all right?”


“Not totally but I will be especially with the best two people on the planet for my parents,” Richie said from the vicinity of Drew’s chest.


“OH! OH, my baby!” Emmett blubbered, bursting into happy tears then joining in for a group hug. They stood in the middle of the kitchen in a huddle, Emmett and Richie sniffling away. Drew chuckled.


“With all the crying you two do, I think I’ll invest my pension in tissues,” Drew said with a smirk as he bussed his son’s cheek and Emmett’s lips.


“Oh you,” Emmett said as he grabbed a box of tissues to blow his nose. He handed the box to Richie who also took a tissue to wipe his eyes and blow his own nose. The three men then laughed and hugged again. A hungry rumble issued from Richie’s stomach.


“Babe, I think someone’s hungry,” Drew quipped. Richie blushed as Emmett fawned all over him.


Within the hour Richie was fed, watered then put to bed. He was asleep before his head hit the pillow. Emmett stared at him from the doorway, watching Richie sleep, a peaceful look on his face.


“How’s he doing?” Drew asked as he joined Emmett at Richie’s door.


“Asleep. He was exhausted.”


“I bet he was; you are too. Let’s go to bed, Babe,” Drew said as he clasped Emmett’s hand and gave it a little tug.


“Just another minute,” Emmett begged. Drew looked at him. “Please. I promise I’ll be right in.”


“Okay. Then I’m going to go up to make sure Melanie’s okay. I’ll lock up when I come back down. I expect to see you in our bed when I get back.” Drew waggled his eyebrows at Emmett.


“Sir, yes, sir,” Emmett replied with a salute and a kiss. He turned back toward Richie when Drew walked away.



*****



“Who is it?” Mel asked through the door. She figured it had to be someone in the building because no one buzzed her.


“Drew!” Mel heard then slid back the heavy door.


“Everything okay?” Melanie asked the retired quarterback.


“I was about to ask you the same thing. And I wanted to thank you again for all of your help. In a few days when the dust settles, Emm and I would like to have a little get together with the family to celebrate. It would mean a lot to us if you could join us. Unless of course you’re needed back in Oregon.”


“No, I’m not needed back right away, and I’d be honored to join your celebration. But are you sure? I’m not everyone’s favorite person.”


“You’re our favorite person, you and Bobby both. It would not be a celebration without you, so please, as a favor to me and Emm and Richie. Please join us.”


“All right.”


“Thank you,” Drew said as he pecked Mel’s cheek. “Good night, Melanie.”


“Good night, Drew,” Mel said as she slid the door closed behind Drew. Drew heard Mel throw the locks before he headed back down to his apartment.


“Is everything okay?” Emmett whispered as Drew slid himself into bed next to his mate.


“Better than okay,” he replied.


“Melanie okay?”


“Yes, she is.”


“Will she stay for our party?”


“She promised she would.”


“Good,” Emmett said as he turned in Drew’s arms. “I’m a mother,” Emm said half teasing.


“Yes, you are and a very fine one at that.”


“Oh you,” Emm said with a sniffle, pushing a little at Drew’s hard chest. “And you’re a daddy,” Emmett smirked.


“Who’s your daddy?” Drew purred.


“Mmm,” Emmett murmured against Drew’s lips. “I love you.”


“Love you too, Babe.”


Emmett and Drew spent the next couple of hours expressing their love.



*****



“You better now?” Justin asked breathlessly as he rolled off of Brian.


“Mmm,” Brian grunted trying to catch his breath. Justin had been bouncing up and down on Brian’s dick, exhausting the both of them when they finally came with muffled shouts.


“You weren’t trying to distract me from our wayward children, were you?” Brian asked with an arch of his brow.


“Maybe. Did it work?”


“Yeah, it did. But you don’t need an excuse to jump my bones.”


“I know and I really wasn’t trying to distract you on purpose. I was just...”


“Horny?” Brian asked with a knowing grin.


“Yeah,” Justin agreed with a smile. “You know, our children wanting to know about other cultures and our ancestry is not really a bad thing.”


“I know and I shouldn’t have flown off the handle like that. I guess it took me by surprise.”


“And we all know how you hate surprises,” Justin snarked as he lightly smacked Brian’s chest.


“You know Shane McKenna at Kinnetik Isles is Irish. I bet if we wanted to visit the ‘old sod’ he would help,” Brian said matter-of-factly. “We could plan a family vacation with John, Bobby and Patrick.”


“True. John is your brother. Why don’t you discuss it with them, but away from little ears? We could make it an educational vacation,” Justin said sensibly.


“Could we now? And just what would you be thinking up in that little blond brain of yours?” Brian asked in an exaggerated Irish accent.


“That we can take a nice family vacation together and if we learn more about your family in the process, it would be a bonus.”


“What about your family, Sunshine? Bree’s more your daughter than she is mine.”


“Other than Patrick Taylor, there’s no one in my background that’s very exciting. And Bree may have my genes but she’s a Kinney,” Justin stated.


“She’s our daughter,” Brian emphasized. “Now what should I do about Gus?”


“It depends on how serious he is about his documentary.”


“He sounded very serious. Reminds me of you wanting to follow the path of Kinney and Patrick but we did that together.”


“We could do it again?”


“I don’t think so. I’ve had enough of traipsing through parts unknown. However, if his professor heads up an expedition of some sort and it has the proper security, I will rethink the issue.”


“Really? You’d do that?”


“Yes. And maybe donate funds to ensure their safety,” Brian said softly and with the same worry that all parents face when their child wants to travel abroad.


Justin turned to study Brian’s face. “You’re serious.”


“Yeah.”


“You’re a good man, Brian Kinney,” Justin said as he kissed Brian’s lips.


“So you’ve been trying to convince me all these years.”


“Did I succeed?”


“A little.”


“I love you, my big Smoosh.”


“Capital ‘S’?”


“Yup,” Justin said with a sunshine smile. Brian rolled onto top of him, signally the beginning of round two.



*****



“Hello?” Mel said sleepily into her phone.


“Did I wake you?” the voice asked from the other side of the country.


“Yes, but that’s okay. How are you?”


“I’m fine and you?”


“We won.”


“Congratulations. Does that mean you’re coming back?”


“Soon. They want me to join them for a party. I’ll probably fly back early next week. Does that work for you?”


“Yes it does. And thank you for helping out with the case I was working on. You’re so good at finding the loopholes. I couldn’t have won without you.”


“We do make a good team.”


“Yes, we do. Mel, you do know I care about you.”


“I know and I care about you too, Lorna, but maybe we’re just not in love?”


“Maybe you’re right.”


There was an awkward pause in the women’s conversation.


“I should let you get some sleep,” Lorna said.


“Yeah, it’s been a long day,” Mel said stifling another yawn. “I’ll call you in a few days.”


“Okay. Good night, Mel.”


“Night.”


Melanie snapped her cell phone shut then shoved it in one of the bedside drawers. She was determined to get a good night’s sleep. She punched the pillow then settled down into it. The last thing she saw before she fell asleep was the picture of Brian holding baby Gus.

 

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Culturation


Chapter 4






Bree ran out into the playground at school. As always she was looking for Ashley. She saw her best friend sitting on one of the rocks that were scattered around the play area to be used as seats or climbing apparatus or for King-of-the-Hill games.


“Hi, Ashley,” Bree said as she squeezed her little butt onto the edge of the rock beside her friend.


“Hi,” Ashley replied.


“What’s wrong?” Bree asked. Ashley didn’t seem to be her usual happy self. She was usually much happier to see Bree than she seemed to be this recess.


“Nothing,” Ashley mumbled but there was no conviction in her words.


Bree frowned. Maybe she could make Ashley feel better. Then she’d tell Bree what was going on. “Thanks for asking your mother about the symphony,” Bree said cheerfully.


“That’s okay.”


“My Dada heard me talking to you about the symphony. He was mad at me ‘cause he thought I’d been eavesdropping, but when I told him I just heard him talking to Unca Ted, he believed me. He’s going to take me and Daddy to the symphony soon, and they have a really big piano and we’re going to hear Mozart.”


“You’re lucky,” Ashley mumbled.


“Yeah, I guess I am.” Bree studied her friend’s sad face. “Ashley, can you tell me what’s wrong … pleeeease!”


“Mommy wanted to know why I was asking about the symphony, so I told her. I said I’d like to go to the symphony ‘cause I thought that’s probably what was going to happen to you.”


“And you were right,” Bree said with a big smile. “You’re smart.”


Ashley shook her head and looked even sadder. “When I asked my mommy to take me to the symphony, she said it was too expensive for both of us to go. She started to cry and said she would really like me to go, but it just wasn’t possible right now. She said in maybe a couple of years.”


“A couple of years? Wow!” Bree said. She couldn’t imagine waiting two years for something.


“I know it’s a long time, but I can wait. I’m sad that I upset my mommy.”


Bree put her arm around her friend and gave her a warm hug. “Maybe I could ask my Dada…”


“NO!” Ashley said emphatically. “I know my mommy will be very mad if that happens. She always says your dads have done way too much for us already.”


“But my dads don’t mind,” Bree protested.


“But my mommy does. You have to promise not to tell them.”


“Okay,” Bree agreed sadly, but she really wanted to tell her fathers so they could fix this for Ashley and her mother.


“You hafta promise, Bree.”


“I promise,” Bree said solemnly.


“Cross your heart and hope to die.”


“Cross my heart and hope to die,” Bree repeated. Now she couldn’t tell. She didn’t want to die.



*****



After school Bree sat at the kitchen table having a snack with Patrick and her fathers. This was their common activity when the children arrived home from school. It was a good opportunity to hear how the kids were doing at school and any interesting things they had learned. Bree was unusually quiet and Patrick seemed to be doing all the talking. He was telling his uncles all about this kid who had called a boy in Patrick’s class a really bad name. When the teacher had reprimanded him, he back talked the teacher and had been sent home for three days.


“That’s good,” Justin said remembering the things he had been called at St. James with no punishment in evidence at all. The words had hurt enough, but when the teacher pretended not to have heard them, that hurt even more. “Kids should not be allowed to say hurtful things.”


“We can’t always stop them,” Brian said ruefully. He had had a few of his own experiences with name calling.


“No, but those kids should have to stay in their room for at least a week,” Patrick advised.


“At least,” Brian agreed with a chuckle.


“What do you think about kids who call people names, Bree?” Justin asked his daughter, noting that she seemed really distracted and had not contributed to the conversation at all.


“Huh?” Bree asked when she realized she was being spoken too.


“You haven’t heard a word of what we were discussing, have you?”


Bree shook her head. “Sowwy, Daddy.”


“What’s up, Squirt?” Brian asked concerned by Bree’s lack of interest in anything. She had been picking at her snack, not really eating anything. “Aren’t you feeling well?”


“I’m okay,” she replied.


“You don’t look okay,” Patrick offered. “You never said anything to me all the way home.”


“You know you can tell us anything, sweetheart,” Justin said.


Bree nodded, but she knew she couldn’t tell them about Ashley and her mother. “I’ll eat my snack,” she said sitting up in her chair. Maybe that would get them to think of something else.


“I don’t care about the snack,” Justin said sternly. “Why are you upset?”


“It’s … nothing, Daddy,” Bree tried to assure him.


“It’s obviously something,” Justin replied. “Tell me whatever it is.”


“I can’t. I promised,” Bree replied.


“Who did you promise?” Brian asked trying to keep his voice soft. He didn’t like secrets and it wasn’t like Bree to keep them.


“I can’t tell you.”


“Squirt!” Brian said ominously.


“But I promised,” Bree whispered, a tear rolling down her cheek.


“Patrick, would you go start your homework?” Justin asked. “I think we need to talk to Bree alone.”


“Okay, Uncle Justin,” Patrick said standing up and grabbing a couple more pieces of cheese and some crackers. He headed for the sun porch. Before he left the kitchen he turned and said to Bree, “You should tell them.”


Bree shook her head as more tears ran down her cheeks.


“Did something bad happen at school?” Justin asked. Bree shook her head. “Then tell us what it is?”


“I can’t. I promised, and I crossed my heart and hoped to die. I don’t want to die, Daddy.”


“Oh sweetheart, you’re not going to die. That’s just an expression.” Justin lifted Bree from her chair and set her on his lap. She cried softly her face buried in his shoulder.


“But I promised, and it could happen,” she whispered after a couple of minutes.


“Bree, whatever is making you so sad is worse than telling us will be. Maybe we can make it right.”


“Oh no, Daddy! You can’t. That’s why I can’t tell you.”


“Does this have something to do with Ashley?” Brian asked taking a shot in the dark.


Bree’s eyes got really large and she turned to stare at her father. “How did you know?” she asked in awe.


“I know everything,” Brian said with a smile of encouragement. “Now tell us what’s going on and I promise we won’t do anything that will make matters worse.”


Bree’s violet eyes stared into the dark green ones of her father. “You promise?”


“I do.”


“Ashley asked her mommy about the symphony for me,” Bree began taking a deep breath and swiping at the tears on her cheeks. Justin turned her around so she could look at Brian. He kept his arm firmly around her waist giving her silent support. Both men waited for her to continue. “Ashley thought maybe you were going to take me to the symphony and she asked her mommy if they could go too. Her mommy said that it was too expensive and maybe they could go in a couple of years. Her mommy started crying when Ashley was disappointed. She doesn’t want you to get them tickets ‘cause you’ve done too much already.”


“Is that what Ashley said?” Brian asked. Bree nodded. “Okay, so now we know.”


“You can’t tell anybody,” Bree said. “You promised.”


Brian shook his head. He had carefully chosen his words when he made his promise to Bree. “Go do your homework, Squirt. And talk to Patrick. I think he’s worried about you.”


“Okay, Dada.” Bree hopped down and started towards the sun porch. She stopped part way and turned around. “Can I have some cheese? I’m hungry,” she said.


“Certainly,” Justin said holding the plate out to her. She got her snack and disappeared into the sun porch.


“It’s amazing how unburdening yourself can revive an appetite,” Brian observed.


“Yeah, says the man who never shared anything.”


“Those days are long gone.”


“Thank God!”


“Anyway, what are we going to do about Bree and Ashley?” Justin shrugged. “I think I’m going to call Susanna,” Brian stated.


“Brian! Maybe I should be the one to call her,” Justin cautioned. “Or maybe we should just stay out of it.”


“No, I’m not staying out of this. I’m calling.”


“Don’t make matters worse,” Justin reminded him.


“I won’t. I promised,” Brian said. He picked up the phone.


“I think I want not to hear this,” Justin said heading to the sun porch. Painting would give him something to do, and he couldn’t be accused of interfering if he was out there with Bree and Patrick.


“Coward,” Brian said to the receding back of his husband. Justin flipped him the bird before he disappeared through the doorway. Brian hit Ashley’s number on the speed dial.


“Susanna,” Brian said when the phone was picked up. “Brian Kinney.”


“If this is about the symphony, Ashley isn’t going.”


“Yes, she is, and here’s why…”


About ten minutes later Brian entered the sun porch with a triumphant look on his face. “Ashley and Susanna will be accompanying us to the symphony,” he announced.


“Dada!” Bree said with horror on her face. “You promised.”


“I did, and Susanna is perfectly happy to accompany us.”


“How did you manage that?” Justin asked.


“I told her that we had a box with four chairs and we could always add another,” Brian replied.


“I could sit on your knee,” Bree volunteered.


“As much as I would like that, hours of you on my knee wouldn’t be good for my knee or your bum. We just need another chair.”


“Can Ted arrange that?” Justin asked.


“He’s doing so as we speak.”


“How did you pull this off?”


“I told Susanna that we loved Ashley like our own daughter and that she shouldn’t be deprived of the symphony. I said that we had a special deal from Ted and we would be happy to have both of them join us in our box which was already paid for. I also reminded Susanna that when our princess was unhappy, everybody was unhappy.”


“Including Ashley,” Justin said with a chuckle.


“Yeah, she had been moping around, so Susanna agreed. It’s all arranged.”


“You are a master manipulator,” Justin said putting his arms around Brian’s neck.


“The truth goes a long way. There was no manipulation.” Justin gave Brian a quizzical look. “Well, not much,” Brian admitted.


“Why does everybody want to go to the stupid symphony?” Patrick asked as he watched the scene unfold.


“You should come too, Patrick. It’s going to be good,” Bree said.


“I don’t know…” Patrick replied.


Brian had a sinking feeling that this symphony experience was growing bigger by the minute.



*****



“So where and when should we have our welcome to the family party?” Emm asked Drew and Richie.


“Considering how large our family is,” Drew began, “I think we should have it on the lane,” he said reasonably. “What do you think, son?” Drew asked Richie with a wide grin.


Richie jumped up from the sofa to hug his dad. “I think that’s a great idea, Dad,” Richie said with a sniffle.


“Oh! Oh!” Emmett exclaimed, sniffling as well and hugging them both. He eventually stepped back, wiping his eyes then pulled out a hankie to blow his nose. “I think I’ll place a call to our Mr. Kinney to set this up. Drewsie, would you mind calling Debbie?”


“Debbie?”


“I’ll need her to help spread the news and of course help organize everything,” Emmett explained.


“Organize everything? This coming from the party planner extraordinaire?” Drew asked, slightly taken aback but smiling as he said it.


“I’ve decided that I want to be a guest at my own party not the planner,” Emmett stated with conviction.


“You go girl!” Richie and Drew said simultaneously then laughed and high fived.


“Babe, I totally agree. It’s our party but I think it’s too late to call Debbie,” Drew said as he checked his watch. It was close to ten.


“But not Brian,” Emm added.


“I think you can safely call Brian. How about we all make a list of who we want to invite and then you can work on it tomorrow with Debbie,” Drew suggested.


“You’re so smart,” Emmett gushed as he gave his man a peck. “Sweetie, I’d like you to ask anyone you wish,” Emm addressed Richie.


“Okay...Mom!” Richie said with a twinkle in his eyes.


“Oh! Oh!” Emmett exclaimed then burst out into happy tears.



*****



“Kinney,” Brian said into his phone. “This is Brian Kinney,” he repeated when he got no reply. Brian looked at the caller ID. “Emmett, is that you? I thought you gave up all that heavy breathing when you married Drew?”


“Asshole,” Emmett finally managed to say in a choked voice.


“I hear congratulations are in order,” Brian said with a smirk. He heard a muffled sniffle. “And it’s a boy! Was the labor long?”


“Oh, oh!” The sniffle turned into a full blown sob. “I’m so happy.”


“You deserve it, Emm. You’re a good man and you’re a great father,” Brian said gently. “If I were a kid, I’d be proud to have you as my dad.” Brian heard Emmett blow his nose.


“Would it be all right if we had a family party on the lane this weekend? We can use the B&B backyard. It’s big enough to accommodate us all and there’ll be plenty of bathrooms and bedrooms if anyone wants to stay over,” Emm pleaded.


“I’d be honored to grill for you and your family,” Brian replied, getting more sobbing in return.


“Our family, Brian. You all were there for us. I want as many of our family there as possible.”


“Fax me a list in the morning and I’ll help make the calls.”


“One more thing, I know you may not like it but I’d like to invite Melanie. If it wasn’t for her, I don’t know if we would have been as successful as we were.”


“Emm, anyone you want there is fine with me. I promise to behave.”


“Thank you.”


“You’re welcome and again, congratulations. Good night.”


“Night, Brian.”


“Who was that?” Justin asked as he came up behind Brian just as he hung up the phone. Justin wrapped his arms around Brian’s waist.


“Emmett,” Brian replied as he leaned into Justin’s arms. “He wants to have a party this weekend up here. He intends to invite most of Pittsburgh.”


“Is that a problem?”


“Not for me,” Brian said as he turned to face Justin. “I even promised to behave with Mel.” Brian gave an exaggerated shudder.


“My hero,” Justin teased as he leaned up to plant a kiss on the tip of Brian’s nose. “I guess the new B&B will be getting a workout this weekend.”


“The whole lane will be, but that’s why we built the extra cottage, and I’m sure not everyone will sleep over.”


“I’m sure you’re right. What does Emmett want us to do?”


“I promised to grill,” Brian answered.


“Then I’ll go shopping,” Justin volunteered. “Bri, I know you’ll keep your promise but I’m worried about Lindsay. Do you think it’ll be too much for her to be around Melanie?” Justin asked with concern.


“I don’t think so. Besides, Lindsay has someone in her life,” Brian said with a sly smile.


“She has a girlfriend?” Justin asked, his eyes wide with wonder. Brian shook his head and Justin gasped.


“Yup, our Miss Lindsay got herself some dick.”


“Really? Do I know him?” Brian whispered in Justin’s ear. “You’re shitting me?”


“Nope. Lindsay’s doing her best to strengthen our ties to the mother country.”


“Well as long as she’s happy,” Justin said. “Charles is a good looking man and they have a lot in common.”


“And he gets to go home.”


“Brian, I hope she doesn’t get hurt.”


“Got it covered, Sunshine. Lindsay and I had a chat; she’s in this with her eyes wide open. Let’s just be grateful it isn’t that wacky artist she fucked years ago.” Brian made a face. “Charles Higgins is hot, for an old man. I’d do him.”


“I have someone better for you to do,” Justin announced firmly.


“Yeah, who?”


“Me, old man.” Justin copped a feel of Brian’s ass then turned, swishing his way to their bedroom.

 

“Can’t argue with that,” Brian murmured as he followed the object of his affection to their room.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Culturation


Chapter 5






Brian felt his stomach clench and his balls draw up. He thrust another couple of times hearing Justin’s provocative moans in response.


“Jesus, Brian, now,” Justin gasped.


And then the world exploded in an earth shattering orgasm that left them both panting and blissed beyond belief.


All was quiet in Edna’s Treasures as reality slowly began to filter through the haze of sex and love that surrounded the two men.


Justin rolled onto his back. “Where the fuck did that come from?” he asked, his voice little more than a whisper. That was all the strength he could muster at the moment. “And why haven’t you done that before?”


Brian let out a weak chuckle. “I think we’ve done everything, Sunshine. There’s nothing new for us.”


“That was pretty fabulous, whatever you did,” Justin replied clearing his throat. “If you know how to do that, who have you been practicing with?”


“Let’s just say I was inspired. The artist in me poured forth.”


“You’re such an…”


“Words fail you when it comes to describing your wonderful husband?” Brian asked tongue in cheek.


“Sometimes.”


“I’m glad I still have a few surprises left in me.”


“You are the most fascinating man I have ever met.”


Brian studied the blue eyes so full of love and admiration. “Right backatcha,” he said making sure Justin knew that he meant every word.


“I love you.”


“I love you too. You taught me all about love.”


“And you taught me all about sex,” Justin replied with a laugh.


“Yeah, we each have our areas of specialization.”


“Not anymore,” Justin objected. “I know a lot about sex and you know a lot about love … so much about love.”


Brian blinked hard. He could feel tears forming behind his eyes. “But you still have some things to learn about sex,” Brian said with a smirk. He refused to get too serious about the love thing. They both knew where they stood on that one.


“Got any other new things for me?” Justin asked.


“Hm…maybe. I wouldn’t want to become boring.”


“No danger of that.” Justin kissed Brian’s lips.


Brian chuckled. “I might have a trick or two up my sleeve.”


“Show me.”


“My pleasure.”


And it was.



*****



“Daddy! Dada!” Bree shouted as she and Patrick ran into the house.


John had picked them up from school on his way home from a meeting with the principal of the new school. It seemed that some more storage space was needed. John was kicking himself for not realizing that, when the school was under construction. No one had said much about storage when the plans had been approved. This being the first school that John had designed, he hadn’t thought about all the things that a teacher and the school itself had to store over the course of a year. There was storage in the school. Just not nearly enough. John had drawn up a couple of proposals to remedy the situation, and the principal had chosen the one he liked best. John intended to make things right, and at no cost to the school.


“Hello, kids,” Brian said. He was sitting at the kitchen table looking all mellow and satisfied with himself.


“What have you two been up to while you’ve had the house all to yourself?” John asked with an arch of the Kinney brow.


“Oh, just the usual,” Brian replied.


Justin couldn’t stop himself from giggling. Then he cleared his throat and said, “Yeah, the usual … like he said.”


“Daddy, don’t I get my hug?” Bree demanded tapping her little foot. “And I’m hungry.”


“Me too,” Patrick added.


“I have your snacks all ready,” Justin said serenely. “I’ll get them from the fridge. And here’s your hug.” He gave Bree a warm hug before heading for the refrigerator.


“Thanks, Uncle Justin,” Patrick said looking at his uncle and trying to figure out what was different. Something just didn’t seem right. “I’m really hungry too.”


“Sit down, kids,” Brian said in a calm and soft voice.


Bree studied her older father. “Dada, is something wrong?” she asked as she sat down at the table.


“Absolutely nothing is wrong,” Brian replied. “In fact everything is just about perfect.”


The frown creasing Bree’s forehead grew deeper. “Something’s different,” she said hoping to get an explanation.


“Yeah, different,” Patrick agreed readily.


“I have no idea what you could possibly mean,” Brian said but he couldn’t control the little grin that curled the corners of his mouth.


“Did I say something funny, Dada?” Bree asked.


“No, nothing funny. Here’s daddy with your snacks,” Brian stated hoping to distract Bree from this line of questioning.


Justin set down in front of the children a plate of celery pieces either filled with cheese or peanut butter.


“Yum!” Bree said grabbing a cheese one.


“I like the peanut butter,” Brian said as he took one of the pieces of celery filled with peanut butter. He took a big bite snapping off a crisp section and chewing happily.


“I want peanut butter too,” Patrick said grabbing a piece of his own.


“Good choice,” Brian agreed.


“Since when do you eat snacks with the kids?” John asked. He had observed all the goings-on with a quizzical look.


“Since I’ve worked up an appetite,” Brian replied.


“An appetite?” John asked. Then it hit him. “You two have been … busy while you were here all by yourselves.”


“Possibly,” Brian said with a smile. He took another bite of his celery.


“I think I’ll have a cheese one,” Justin said grabbing a celery from the plate.


“Good choice, Daddy,” Bree said as she picked up a second piece filled with cheese. “You should have made more.”


“You know, you could be right,” Justin said chewing his celery. “I can do that right now.” He moved back behind the counter to concoct some more snacks. “Would you like some, John?” he asked.


“Unlike you two, I haven’t worked up an appetite.”


“You should,” Brian said smugly. “I highly recommend it.”


John squirmed slightly. His cock was doing things it shouldn’t be doing in front of the children. Somewhere in the back of his mind he was imagining just what Brian and Justin might have got up to, and it was making him uncomfortably hard. He cleared his throat. “Would Bobby be home by any chance?” he asked.


“He came in a little while ago. I believe he said he was going for a shower. I bet you could find him there,” Justin informed his brother-in-law. His warm smile made John even more eager to find his husband.


“Um, could you make sure that Patrick gets started on his homework?”


“Sure, John, we’d be happy to look after the little lad,” Brian said smugly. He had accomplished what he set out to do. His brother would be getting some very soon.


“I’m not a little lad, Uncle Bri. I’m a big boy.”


“Of course,” Brian agreed. “I should have said we’d be happy to look after the young man.”


John scowled at his brother but didn’t say anything else. He started towards the sun porch.


“I could come do my homework over there,” Patrick volunteered.


“Oh, um, no, you can stay here and … and finish your snack,” John told his son.


“Yes, Patrick, finish your snack,” Brian said with a smirk.


“You are truly evil, brother dearest,” John said with a glare.


“I know, but it’s so much fun.”


John wanted to shoot his supercilious brother the finger, but with great self restraint he decided to find his husband instead. He gave Brian a final glare and hurried into the sun porch.


“Why did Unca John call you evil, Dada?” Bree asked.


“Beats me.”


“You’re not evil.”


“Of course not,” Brian replied smugly.


“You should try the cheese celery, Dada. It’s really good.”


“I’m sure it is, but I’m partial to peanut butter,” Brian noted as he grabbed another celery/peanut butter stick off the replenished plate that Justin set on the table. “Lovely con-cock-shun, Sunshine,” Brian said with a little laugh.


Justin shook his head and took a cheese one for himself.


“You guys are weird today,” Patrick said as he helped himself to another snack.


Both Brian and Justin merely nodded in reply. They were still enjoying their day in the sun.



*****



“Charles!” Lindsay called out as the Brit strolled into her office at the gallery with Sidney Bloom. She immediately stood up to properly greet the man that over the year had grown close to her.


“Lindsay, my dear,” Charles stated then kissed both cheeks European style. “You grow lovelier each time I see you,” he purred. Lindsay blushed; she thought she was just getting older. “Maturity has its own rewards,” Charles whispered in her ear with a slightly provocative tone as if reading her thoughts.


Sidney cleared his throat to get their attention. “Lindsay, Charles has decided to stay in town for a few days so he can look over Justin’s latest projects and see the work of our emerging artists!” Sidney announced proudly. “Although I do get the impression there’s one particular artist he’d prefer spending his time with. And I don’t mean Justin.”


“Sidney, my good man, I have no idea to whom you are referring,” Charles replied as he took Lindsay’s hand in his then kissed the top of it, smiling up at her. Lindsay’s blush grew deeper.


“Hmm, I’m sure,” Sidney muttered. “Be that as it may, Justin has been the busy bee this past summer. He and his partner celebrated an anniversary in Hawaii which inspired Justin to create a bevy of tropical scenes. Would you care to take a look? I’m sure Lindsay would love to show you.”


Charles’ smile became wider.


“Charles, I am referring to Justin’s work,” Sidney said with exasperation. It was one thing to field the lustful looks between Brian and Justin at an opening, it was another when the looks were shared by his assistant and the curator of England’s National Gallery.


“Do forgive me, Sidney,” Charles gently returned Lindsay’s hand to soothe the ruffled feathers of his friend and colleague. Charles took Sidney’s arm to lead him out of Lindsay’s office and into the main part of the gallery. Lindsay followed several steps behind to allow them some privacy.


“Blame my behavior on a long flight, horrid tea, and to be frank, I have missed your lovely assistant. If I didn’t know how loyal she is to you and that one day she will own this gallery, I’d spirit her away from you. She’s a gem and I’ve only recently understood that I have a chance at some sort of relationship with her.”


“Charles, you are aware that up until recently her partner was female?”


“Of course I am, I met the woman last year, if you recall. Most unpleasant, I knew Lindsay could do so much better. Besides, I ran into Sam Auerbach not long ago. He had very nice things to say about Ms. Lindsay.”


“Now, Charles, please tread carefully. Lindsay and Melanie were together for over twenty years, more or less. Their break up was most painful and Sam is a dog.”


“And so am I, according to my ex-wives, all four of them. However, except for Henry’s mother, none of them were worth their anorexic weight in gold.”


“What was different about Henry’s mother?”


“She’s a genuinely beautiful woman, inside and out. I was not worthy of her. We remain fast friends and I even have her blessing to woo Ms. Lindsay. She met Lindsay on one of her trips to the gallery and approves of her.”


“And Henry?”


“He approves as well.”


“So now it’s up to Lindsay.”


“Yes. Do I have your approval?”


“As long as she stays here, yes you do. However, it’s not me you have to worry about.”


“Ah, yes, Lindsay’s children,” Charles stated.


“Well...”


“Why do I think the children are the least of my worries?”


Charles and Sidney slowed their walk through the gallery when they came into Justin’s ‘wing.’ Charles was delighted with the floral paintings, reaching out as if to touch fragrant petals. They came to a stop in front of the nudes; one in particular was very eye catching.


“Charles, Lindsay’s children will love you as long as you make her happy. I’m more concerned about Brian Kinney,” Sidney explained as he gestured with his chin, toward a charcoal rendering of the man himself. This was a mature Brian, an elegant man approaching fifty but with all the vigor and vivacity of a man half that age. His intense gaze was compelling. Even in a charcoal sketch one was drawn to Brian’s eyes almost overlooking his obvious other fine attributes.


“The father of her son and close friend. Sidney, I will take your warning under advisement,” Charles said as he patted his friend on the back. “Magnificent!” Charles exclaimed as they got to the sketch of Lindsay. “The Goddess Diana, in all her glory!”


Lindsay turned beet red.



*****



“Done!”


“What’s that, sweetheart?” Carl asked his wife. Debbie was in their kitchen amidst several pots and pans that were bubbling and boiling away with all manner of savory delights. Debbie was not only cooking their own dinner but was preparing for the party as well.


“I’ve made all the phone calls and have a list of what the family will bring to the lane this Saturday. Emm won’t have to do a thing except enjoy himself!” Debbie said triumphantly.


“I’m sure the family is happy to do it,” Carl said with a smile and a hug for his very ingenious wife.


“They were. Even Raphael and Hector will be there, and of course Curtis. He was our first adopted child and I’m sure won’t be our last.”


“I wonder, do you think Lindsay will adopt Candy?” Carl asked as he found the salad that was for their dinner then popped a slice of tomato into his mouth.


“That’s a good question,” Deb said, the curiosity evident in her voice. “We can ask her this weekend.”


“Are we taking the roaming hotel?” Carl asked, referring to their RV.


“I think we should. I know there’s the new cottage up there but with everyone coming from far and wide, we might need the extra room. Besides, it’s easier to transport all the food.”


“True. We can have everyone bring their contributions here, pack up the RV then caravan up,” Carl suggested.


“You’re so smart!” Debbie said as she pinched both of Carl’s cheeks then gave him a loud sloppy kiss. He laughed with delight.


“I love you, babe.”


“I love you too. And thank you for putting up with me all these years,” Debbie said sincerely. Carl gathered the ample woman into his arms.


“Thank you for putting up with me,” he whispered then kissed her sweetly.


“Honey, as much as I would love to take this further...”


“I know. You’re just lucky I’m such an understanding kind of guy who will take a backseat to your cooking for a horde of gay men,” Carl grumped good-naturedly as he reluctantly released his wife from his embrace.


“Yes but you still love me,” Deb said as she returned to her pots and pans.


“Yes, I do!” he replied as he took out the dishes to set their table for dinner.



*****



“I’m stuffed,” Charles announced. “I couldn’t possibly eat another bite,” he said as he patted his full belly.


Lindsay had invited Charles over to her house for dinner. The girls were delighted to have a real English gentleman in their home and decided to help Lindsay cook dinner.


“Do you have room for pie?” JR asked with a smile as she held up a simple chocolate pudding pie in one hand and a tub of whipped topping in another.


“One must always have room for pie,” Charles responded formally, to the delight of the girls.


Candy was busy making tea and coffee as JR got out the cups and dessert plates.


“Thank you,” Lindsay said softly as she leaned into Charles. “The girls were tickled pink to cook dinner for you. I’m sorry it was a bit last moment.”


“It is I that should be thanking you. I wasn’t in the mood for hotel food. You were an answer to my prayers.” Charles flirted shamelessly; it pleased him to see Lindsay blush. “The girls are delightful; they get on so well together,” Charles observed.


“Yes, they do.”


“Mim, will Mr. Higgins come to the party with us this Saturday?” Candy asked Lindsay, calling her by the name they had agreed upon.


“I don’t know,” Lindsay answered as she poured the tea.


“Party? I’m always up for a party.” Charles winked at Lindsay. “What’s the occasion?”


“My friend Richie was adopted and we’re all having a big party to celebrate,” Candy explained.


“That is a very special occasion,” Charles agreed then took a sip of tea.


“Our good friends Emmett and Drew have been fostering Richie for about a year. The adoption just became final this past week. The whole family is gathering at Edna’s Treasures for a party. I’d be honored if you could join us,” Lindsay explained further.


“Done, I’ll be very happy to escort all you lovely ladies to the party,” Charles said gallantly then yawned. “I beg your pardon, how rude of me. I promise you it’s not the company.”


“Oh Charles, I’m so sorry, you must be very tired. You’re still on London time,” Lindsay said. “Let me drive you back to your hotel.”


“Are you sure? I could call a cab.”


“I insist. Girls, I’m going to drive Charles to his hotel. I’ll be back soon,” Lindsay said as she got their jackets and found her purse.


“Take your time, Mom,” JR said with a twinkle in her eye making her mother blush again. She nudged Candy with an elbow. Candy giggled.


“Yeah, Mim, take all the time you need,” Candy reiterated.


Lindsay unsuccessfully attempted to glare menacingly at her mischievous girls as she led Charles to the door.


“Thank you both for an excellent dinner,” Charles called out over his shoulder to his giggling co-conspirators.


“You’re just as bad as they are,” Lindsay said to Charles as they got into her car.


“Your girls and I have an understanding,” Charles boasted as he buckled himself up. “Thank you again, Lindsay. Dinner was delightful and I’m truly grateful for the diversion,” he added sincerely.


“I’m glad you enjoyed it. The girls loved your company.”


“I hope you’re included in that?”


“Yes, I am,” Lindsay said with a soft smile.


“I’d ask you up for a nightcap; however, I truly am tired,” Charles said as they pulled up to the hotel.


“I understand. Besides I think you should get some rest. You’ll need it if you come with us this weekend. You never know what’s going to happen when we get to the lane,” Lindsay said with a chuckle.


“Forewarned is forearmed as they say.” Charles got out of the car then went around to Lindsay’s window. “Until tomorrow?” Charles asked as he gave her a chaste kiss.


“Yes. Good night, Charles.”


“Good night, my dear Ms. Lindsay,” Charles replied with an exaggerated bow. “Parting is such sweet sorrow.”

 

“Oh you!” Lindsay laughed as she drove away still tasting him on her lips.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Culturation


Chapter 6





“What time do the unfettered hordes arrive?” Brian asked as he poured himself another cup of coffee.


Justin laughed. “You know, anyone who wasn’t onto you would think you couldn’t stand having our ever growing family come here for a party.”


“I can’t stand it.”


“Bull!”


Brian raised an eyebrow. Then his face turned thoughtful. “I’ve spent my whole life fighting against family and marriage and social crap, and now I’ve got this humongous extended family who think they can descend upon us whenever the fucking spirit moves them.”


“And you wouldn’t have it any other way,” Justin said. He finished the veggies he had been cleaning to make a tray with a dip. He needed huge amounts to make sure that everyone would have plenty. The masses were certainly expected on Edna’s Treasures Lane to celebrate Richie’s adoption.


“I still would like some privacy occasionally,” Brian threw in, not wanting to give up his complaining about their mega family too easily.


“Like a couple of days ago?” Justin asked with a grin.


“Yeah, that was … nice.”


“Nice!? You call that nice! It was fucking fantastic.”


Brian grinned lasciviously. “Yeah,” was all he said for a minute. “Maybe we could practice some more right now.”


“Now? Everybody will be arriving momentarily.”


“We can lock the door.”


“And when has that ever kept anyone out?” Justin asked with a chuckle, thinking of all the times that Emmett had walked in through the sun porch hallooing them as he did so.


“My point exactly – privacy. We need more.”


“Well I don’t think you’re going to get it today.”


“Or ever,” Brian griped.


“Daddy! Dada!” Bree screeched as the front door of Edna’s Treasures flew open. “You hafta come now. Unca John says Gamma Debbie just came through the gate and everything is ready and you should come right now.”


“Okay, okay,” Brian said. “Slow down, Squirt, and take a deep breath.”


“But you hafta come now.”


“I always come,” Brian said smugly.


Justin glared at him and then said, “Bree, we’re almost ready. Here, you can carry the dip and you can carry the veggies.” He thrust the large tray of vegetables at Brian who stood up and took it meekly.


“Yes, dear,” Brian replied.


Justin closed the door of Edna’s Treasures behind them as they started down the lane.


“Daddy, Richie is so happy to be adopted. Can you adopt me?”


Justin glanced at Brian who blinked but said nothing. “Baby girl, I can’t adopt you because you’re my daughter by birth.”


“Oh,” Bree said dejectedly.


“Dada, can you adopt me?”


“I already have, Squirt.”


“Huh?” Bree asked. She stopped dead in her tracks and turned to look up at her taller father.


“I adopted you when you were born,” Brian admitted. He was already beginning to hate having brought this up, but it was his policy never to lie to Bree. “Daddy is your biological father, so I adopted you to be my daughter too.”


“Really?” she asked. Her little forehead was creased with a deep frown.


“Really,” Brian said. He looked to Justin for help.


“So, you’re adopted just like Richie,” Justin reiterated.


“Can I have a party too?” Bree asked in all innocence.


Brian let out a groan. “Briana, today is Richie’s day in the spotlight. I don’t think you should mention anything about your adoption or about any party other than the one that Richie is having today. Do you understand?” Brian gave Bree a very serious look to show that she needed to think carefully about this.


“It might make Richie sad if I brought it up. Right, Dada?”


“Exactly, Squirt. I knew you were my smart little daughter.” He smiled softly at Bree, but he had felt the need to say that she was his daughter. He didn’t want her to think that because he had to adopt her it made any difference in how he felt about her.


Bree smiled back at her father then, just like her Uncle Ted, she made the motion of turning the lock on her lips and throwing away the key.


Brian and Justin exchanged looks as Debbie’s RV pulled up at the new cottage.


“Gamma Debbie!” Bree shouted. She thrust the dip she had been carrying at Justin and raced towards the big vehicle.


“Do you think she’ll say anything?” Brian asked. He didn’t want to ruin Richie’s day.


Justin shook his head. “She locked her lips. She won’t say anything, but we should talk to her about this whole thing when the party is over.”


“Yeah, I guess we should,” Brian agreed. It was not a topic he was looking forward to talking about. “You’ll be there too?”


“Yes, dear,” Justin said before taking Brian’s hand and walking towards Debbie and Carl’s RV.


“Sunshine!” Debbie greeted Justin, giving him a loving kiss on the cheek. She reached up to kiss Brian’s cheek then followed the kiss with the inevitable love tap.


“Hi, Deb,” Justin said as he kissed her back. Brian rolled his eyes, shaking his head. Justin could be a hundred and two and he’d never lose his ‘Sunshine’ moniker.


“My sweet littlest Sunshine!” Debbie gushed as Bree flew into her arms. Debbie smothered the petite child with kisses.


“Gamma, why do you always call my daddy, Sunshine?” Bree asked within Debbie’s arms, her violet blue eyes open wide.


“Because your father has the most beautiful, sunniest smile I ever saw. When I met him, he was just a boy, a sweet boy,” Debbie said with a wistful expression. “You remind me of him especially when you smile,” Debbie told Bree kissing the top of the child’s head then lightly tapping the tip of Bree’s nose with a finger. Bree’s smile grew wider.


“How’s my son?” Deb asked Brian in a serious tone as they all continued toward the new cottage.


“He’s fine,” Brian answered, resisting the urge to say that he and Justin were fine as well. “All this fresh air is doing him wonders,” Brian snarked wondering would there ever come a day when Brian Kinney wouldn’t be personally responsible for the well-being of his entire family. “How’s the store?” Brian asked, deflecting Debbie onto something else.


“Don’t you know?” Debbie asked. “You and Teddy keep an eye on the books.”


“I don’t get specifics. Schmidt informs me of the bottom line, whether it’s black or red. The rest is up to you, JR and Mikey.”


“Oh, well in that case, we’re doing real well. Candy and Lacy helped to get the latest issue of Rage out with those wacky twins that Justin found,” Deb said referring to Tre` and Troi. “I still can’t tell them apart.”


“Oh Deb, it’s easy,” Brian drawled. “Tre’s the sexy one and Troi’s the cute one,” Brian teased as they all entered the B&B to deposit their party contributions in the large kitchen. Debbie cackled for a moment then made a beeline for her son’s suite of rooms.


Brian sighed as he looked around the large kitchen. It was filling up with all manner of delicacies for the party. Soon the cottage and the whole lane would be teeming with his crazy wittle family. He’d start the grilling soon, even though the weather was still warm. It was September. The days were getting shorter. The family agreed to an early party so that family returning home could go before it became too dark. And now with the new cottage, anyone who wanted to stay over, could.


“Brian?” a soft voice broke through Brian’s reverie. He smiled as Jennifer and Seth came in, adding a large salad to the growing menu. “How are you?” she asked as she pecked his cheek. Seth shook his hand.


“I’m good.”


“Where’s Justin?”


“Bringing more food, I expect,” Brian replied. Jennifer nodded then left to go help.


“This is going to be one of the big ones, isn’t it?” Seth asked as he took in the amount of food already present. More cars were driving up, discharging family laden with platters and containers.


“Yup. One of our personal best.”


“Don’t worry about it, Brian, you’re not alone in this. We’ll all help,” Seth assured Brian with a pat to his back. Brian nodded then went out to greet the new arrivals.



*****



“Maybe I should have driven up by myself,” Melanie murmured as they approached the gate to Edna’s Treasures Lane.


“Mel, we discussed this. It made no sense for you to drive all the way here in a rented car when we were coming here as well,” Lindsay said logically. “We may no longer be partners but we are still a family!” she said as she triggered the gate with her own code. Mel gave Lindsay a sideways glance.


“He programmed in my own code,” Lindsay explained. Mel needed no further explanation regarding which ‘he’ Lindsay meant.


“Are you sure I’ll be welcome?” Mel asked. The lane was filling up with cars. Lindsay pulled over to the first available space. JR and Candy jumped out as soon as the car stopped. They grabbed the casseroles and pies then scurried up the lane.


“Melanie, the boys want you here. You helped to create a new family. It’ll be fine,” Lindsay reassured her former spouse. Mel smiled. “Come on, they’re expecting us,” Lindsay added.


“I hope the ‘us’ includes me, my dear,” Charles commented from the back seat. Lindsay looked in the rearview mirror, catching Charles’ eye. Charles winked at Lindsay making her blush. Mel rolled her eyes as she got out of the car leaving Lindsay to her new ‘boyfriend’.


“I don’t know what’s worse, watching Charles with his British charm flirt incessantly with my ex-wife or the thought of Brian rubbing my nose in it,” Melanie growled to herself as she marched toward the new cottage.


“Well hello, Melanie,” Brian enunciated, forcing himself to avoid saying ‘Smelly Melly’.


“Brian,” Mel replied as she kept on walking by.


“Something I said?” Brian quipped with an arch of his eyebrow.


Mel stopped then turned to face him. “Brian, can we get through today without verbally assaulting each other?” Brian held his hands up in surrender. Mel started to walk away.


“Mel, you and Bobby did something wonderful,” Brian said sincerely. “I promise I will not bitch at you today. And I don’t...”


“Don’t lie. I know. Thank you,” Mel replied with a small smile.


Brian watched her go inside the B&B. “Of course tomorrow is another story,” Brian mumbled to himself with an evil smirk on his face.


“Brian!”


“Well, well, well, if it isn’t the lovely Miss Lindsay and her beau,” Brian drawled.


“Stop it!” Lindsay said, and Brian could see by her face that she meant it.


“Hello, Charles, lovely to see you again,” Brian said extending his hand.


Charles shook the hand and observed, “This is quite the place you have here.”


“We like it,” Brian said with a smirk. “I could give you the fifty cent tour … if you dare leave the side of your lovely lady.”


“Brian!” Lindsay said ominously.


“I’d love to look around some more. The gardens are glorious even though Fall is almost upon us.”


Brian raised an eyebrow. He had expected to be turned down.


“I’m going to find Emm and Drew and Richie,” Lindsay said. “I want to give them all the biggest hug.”


“I’ll be right in after Brian shows me the highlights of Edna’s Treasures Lane,” Charles said giving Lindsay a peck on the cheek. She blushed deliciously and then hurried off to the B&B. “Where should we start?” Charles asked.


“Let’s head up to our place,” Brian suggested. They started walking.


“Why is this called Edna’s Treasures Lane?”


“It’s named after a lovely lady that Justin and I met in South America. She came to visit us once, and then she died shortly after.”


“It sounds like she had a profound effect,” Charles observed.


“If I can be half as cool as she was when I get to be her age, I’ll be extremely grateful,” Brian replied honestly.


“She was elderly?”


“Very.”


Charles shook his head. “Somehow I never pictured you … hobnobbing with an elderly woman.”


“Neither did I.”


“Then how?”


“I sat beside her on a plane and we got to talking. That was all it took.”


“She must have been something.”


“She was … very special.”


They reached the front door of Edna’s Treasures.


“So you named this special place after her.”


Brian nodded and opened the door. As they walked through the house, Brian told Charles how he had found the cottage, John had rehabilitated it, and then moved his own cottage to the lane. Everything had grown from there.


They walked out to the sun porch which Charles found very interesting. He especially liked the pulley system so that Justin could hang his paintings to dry out of everyone’s way. He could see the new greenhouse and then the gardens.


“The flower gardens are just beautiful,” Charles informed Brian. “You must have an exceptional gardener.”


Brian sucked his lips in. “I do most of the gardening. I designed all the gardens on the lane.”


“You?” Charles looked totally surprised. “I don’t know how you have time to do all this.” He gestured to the gardens at the back of the house.


“I only work at Kinnetik when I feel like it … or when someone fucks up and I have to fix it.”


“From what I’ve heard about your business any fuck up wouldn’t be around long.” Brian Kinney’s reputation was well known.


“You’ve got that right, but things happen,” Brian explained. Then he changed the subject. “There’s a stream down that path by the Wendy house. I’d take you down there. It’s a beautiful spot, but I think I better get you back before Lindsay comes to cut off my balls.”


Charles almost choked at Brian’s description of Lindsay’s possible actions. “I can’t imagine that gentle lady doing any such thing,” Charles admonished.


“Then you don’t know her very well.”


Charles frowned. “You could be right,” he admitted. He was learning lots of things about Lindsay that he hadn’t known before.


“Oh, and by the way,” Brian said as they started back through the house, “if you hurt her, I’ll be ripping off those balls of yours.”


Charles gulped and looked at the man walking beside him. He could tell from Brian’s body language that he was totally serious. Charles stopped walking and touched Brian’s arm. “Brian,” he said seriously, “I have no intention of hurting Lindsay. We just started seeing each other.”


“And she just came out of a very long lesbian relationship. It was a marriage of sorts. Be careful with her.”


“You think she’s on the rebound?”


“I didn’t say that. She has spent a lot of time alone since the break up. She’s not rushing into anything, but she’s human. If you sweep her off her feet, you may be getting into more than you bargained for.”


“I don’t think that would be possible, but I will take things slowly.”


It was Brian’s turn to stare at the man in front of him. Charles certainly sounded quite serious about his relationship with Lindsay. “Good,” was all Brian could say as they started down the lane.



*****



“And my Daddy and Dada are gonna take me to the symphony,” Bree was telling Riley and Danny. “We’re going to a concert of Mozart,” she added bobbing her head enthusiastically as her ponytail swung around. “It’s going to be so good.” She smiled at Brian when he joined them.


“Ah, the symphony,” Riley said with a faraway look in his eyes. “It’s been years since I actually sat in the audience to listen to a symphony. I usually tune and leave.”


“Then perhaps we should go,” Danny suggested. “I’ve never been to a symphony. All those years on the road never left any time for such things. I could use a little culture.”


“That’s a wonderful idea,” Riley agreed.


“Yeah, wonderful,” Brian griped. It looked like more of the family was going to trail him to the symphony.


“Do you know if there are any tickets left?” Danny asked.


“It’s not like a rock concert, Daniel,” Brian said glumly. “I don’t think it sells out.”


“Oh yes it does,” Riley replied, “especially something like Mozart who is one of the most popular composers.”


“Do you know how to play Mozart, Mr. Riley?” Bree asked. She batted her baby blues at her piano tuner.


“I’ve played Mozart a time or two in my life,” Riley said with a smile.


“Can you play some for me?”


“Not right now, Briana,” Riley replied. “This is Richie’s party. Maybe later.”


“’Kay.” Bree took her leave heading over to JR to tell her sister more about going to the symphony.


“I think we should get tickets for the symphony,” Danny said. “Let’s go talk to Ted.” He took Riley by the arm and they headed out in search of Ted.


Brian stood by the counter in the B&B. He snatched a carrot off the tray that Justin had prepared. He took a bite and chewed. While he did so, he watched Lindsay and Charles across the room. Lindsay was introducing Charles to Ben and Michael. Brian studied Lindsay’s face. She looked … happy. He hadn’t seen her look that happy since Mel had left. Charles seemed to be working wonders with her.


“She really likes him,” Melanie said as she took her own carrot from the tray. She could clearly see what Brian was looking at.


“Yes, I think she does.”


“I … I’m glad she’s found someone.”


“Are you?” Brian asked raising an eyebrow.


“Yes, I am,” Melanie stated and she really tried to mean it.


“Are you happy?”


“Not particularly,” Melanie admitted, “but I’ll be fine.”


“I know you will.”


“Is that a compliment?” she asked in surprise.


“You are a strong woman.”


“Just not the right woman,” Melanie stated turning to look at Lindsay once again.


“No, not the right woman,” Brian agreed. For a moment they both watched the blossoming romance between Lindsay and Charles Higgins.


“I’ll be going back to Portland in a couple of days. Thanks again for the use of the loft.”

 

Brian shrugged. “Have a good trip,” he said before he went to find Justin.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Culturation


Chapter 7






“Emmett, congratulations!” Lindsay said with a hug and kisses for her good friend and former housemate. “You must be flying high.” Lindsay found Emmett in the large communal living room of the new cottage.


“I am. I don’t think I’ll be coming down anytime soon,” Emmett replied as he rearranged a platter of hors d’oeuvres to his satisfaction.


“I thought you weren’t supposed to lift a finger today. This is your day; yours, Drew’s and Richie’s.”


“I know but I can’t help kibitzing,” Emm said with a grin. As Lindsay took over the task, Emmett watched with a wistful expression in his eyes. “What was it like?”


“What was what, like?”


“Having a baby.”


“That was a long time ago,” Lindsay said.


“I imagine some things you don’t forget.”


“No, you don’t. I was elated when I first found out I was pregnant. And terrified at the same time. I was thirty and having a baby. Most of the women I knew were already on their second child. But Mel and I had very supportive friends.”


“Ah, yes, the lesbians. Very supportive and downright scary,” Emmett teased and they both laughed.


“I can honestly say I mostly loved every minute of it except for the swollen ankles, the weird acne, my butt getting wider and having to pee every five minutes.”


“TMI!” Emmett exclaimed as he held up his hands. “But you have a beautiful boy. Gus is a very special young man. And not just because he’s Brian Kinney’s son.” Emmett gave Lindsay a toothy smile and she giggled. “JR.”


“What about her?”


“Now, she’s a little scary.”


“Why?”


“Well, look who her mother and grandmother are,” Emmett said with a straight face.


“Stop it!” Lindsay ordered, giving Emmett a little shove. “JR is...”


“Is a wonderful young lady,” Mel finished the sentence as she entered the room.


“Oh Melanie!” Emmett gushed as he threw himself into Melanie’s arms nearly toppling them both over. He kissed her cheeks as he hugged her tight. “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”


“It wasn’t just me,” Mel stated.


“I know but Bobby’s right here and I will spend the rest of my life thanking him. But you’ll be leaving soon and I want to make sure you know how very grateful I am that you stayed to help us,” Emmett said with happy tears in his eyes.


Lindsay backed out of the room to give Emmett and Mel a little privacy.



*****



“GUUUSSSS!” A piercing shriek broke through the clusters of family conversation.


“I guess that answers that question,” Brian murmured to himself. He was manning the grill, barbecuing heaps of steak, chicken, burgers and hot dogs. He smiled to himself as the strawberry blond whirlwind ran past him toward the lane. He had heard the distinctive toot of the Jeep’s horn and knew Gus had been able to drive back for the day. Bree obviously heard the horn too.


“Hey, short stuff!” Gus said as he jumped out of the Jeep in time to catch his sister as she leapt into his arms.


“Gus,” Bree wailed as she peppered his face with kisses.


“Hey, I’ve only been gone a couple of weeks,” Gus chuckled as Bree refused to leave his arms.


“I don’t see you forever,” Bree said in her baby talk.


“Well, I’m here now. Where is everybody?” he asked as he carried her toward the new cottage.


“In the backyard. Dada’s grilling and everybody brought lots and lots of food,” she explained.


“Good, ‘cause I’m hungry,” Gus said as he entered the backyard, joining the family. Kisses and hug were passed around then Gus went to congratulate the new family, Bree still in his arms like a clinging vine.


“Hey, Sonny Boy,” Brian said when Gus finally lost his appendage and was able to greet his father.


“Hey, Pop! The meat almost ready? I could eat a horse,” Gus said as he held out the large platter that someone had shoved in his hands.


“I’m sorry, horse isn’t on the menu but I think there’s something you might find appetizing,” Brian snarked as he began to pile the first round of grilled meat onto the platter.


“Oh ha ha!”


“Getting settled at Penn?”


“Yeah. And I got the results from my professors about my summer project,” Gus said, referring to the report and documentary about the B&B and greenhouse, as the platter was quickly becoming filled.


“A?”


“A+!”


“That’s my boy! Be sure to tell John.”


“I think he got a copy since it was his project, but I’ll be sure to tell him.”


“Tell the moms too.” Brian arched his brow as he indicated Mel.


“I will and who’s that with mom?” Gus asked as he spied Charles with his mother.


“Charles Higgins from England, the curator of the London National Gallery.”


“Oh yeah? Why is he looking at my mom as if she were a meal?” Gus’ Kinney brow was up.


“Your mother has been dating him.”


“Dating. But he’s a guy!”


“Your mother is not a stranger to men.”


“But...”


“Just be nice.”


“I’ll be nice but if he hurts her, I’ll mess him up,” Gus growled. Then he turned and stomped away, platter in hand.


Brian chuckled. “That’s my boy,” he muttered with satisfaction.


“What are you laughing about?” Michael asked. He was feeling so much better, almost 100% but he still tired quickly.


“Oh nothing. Our kids are growing up,” Brian observed.


“Yes, they are,” Michael agreed. Brian handed Michael a smaller platter with burgers and hot dogs.


“Here, go make yourself useful,” Brian ordered but making sure the platter wasn’t too heavy.


“Yes, master,” Michael said with a smile. He appreciated that Brian didn’t hover or treat him like an invalid. Michael brought the dish to the table.



*****



“Justin, come sit with us,” Jennifer said as she waved her son to a chair next to her and Seth.


“Hi, Mom,” Justin said kissing her cheek before sitting down. “How are you, Seth?”


“I’m great. Marrying your mother was the best decision I ever made.”


Justin grinned at the man who had made his mother so happy. He watched Jennifer pat Seth’s hand. They seemed to have the perfect marriage. “You two look like you’re still on your honeymoon,” Justin observed.


“Ah, the honeymoon,” Seth said with a wistfulness in his voice.


“I bet that was perfect too,” Justin said with a smile.


“Totally,” Seth agreed.


“You have a very short memory, darling,” Jennifer laughed.


“I remember perfection.”


“I remember a lot of lying down,” Jennifer reminded him.


“And you have a problem with that?” Seth asked with a wink.


“TMI,” Justin interrupted them, holding up a hand to stop this conversation.


“Just so you know,” Jennifer continued ignoring Justin, “I enjoyed the lying down part immensely.”


“Um, could we change the subject?” Justin asked.


“Why, my boy, I believe you’re blushing,” Seth said with a laugh.


“You could be right,” Justin agreed with a sheepish look. He could never get used to the idea of his mother having sex.


“I hear from my beautiful granddaughter that you and your husband are taking her to the symphony,” Jennifer jumped in changing the subject.


“Yes, yes,” Justin replied, happy to have something else to think about instead of his mother and Seth lying down.


“What brought this on?” Jennifer asked. “You never seemed interested in the symphony when I took you.”


“I wasn’t.”


“So, what’s changed?”


“I have a daughter of my own now,” Justin said thoughtfully. “I may not have liked the symphony too much when I was young, but I appreciate that you exposed me to it.”


“Wow, that’s good to know,” Jennifer laughed.


“I mean it. I do appreciate everything you did for me, to educate me and make my life better,” Justin said sincerely.


“Oh Justin, thank you for saying that. I really appreciate it,” Jennifer murmured to her son. She leaned over and gave him a peck on the cheek.


“I want to give Bree the same kind of opportunities that you gave me.”


“I think that’s admirable, my lad,” Seth interjected.


“Thanks,” Justin said feeling himself blush again.


“You’re a wonderful father to Bree,” Jennifer said sincerely. “Both you and Brian are.”


“Thanks Mom, that means a lot coming from you.”


“Now, enough of this mutual admiration society,” Jennifer stated abruptly. “What are you hearing at the symphony?”


“Mozart.”


“Oh yes, Mozart. He’s one of my favorites. That’s a good choice to take Bree to. It will be light and more fun than some of the other composers.”


“That’s what Ted said.”


“Ted?”


“Yes, we asked him to get us tickets to something he thought Bree might like. So after some consultation with Allen, he got us tickets for Mozart. I think Bree is invited backstage after the concert. That is, if she’s still awake,” Justin added.


“I think my granddaughter will be wide awake during the whole concert. She will appreciate the finer things in life.”


“I don’t know,” Justin said as he stared at Bree who was regaling JR and Candy with some kind of story across the yard.


“I think you should worry more about Brian than Bree,” Jennifer advised her son.


“Why would you say that?” Justin asked intrigued.


“Well, I don’t imagine this excursion to the symphony was Brian’s idea.”


“No, it wasn’t but…”


“Brian likes the music at Babylon … not Mozart,” Jennifer continued.


“He can appreciate the finer things in life.” Justin felt he needed to defend his husband.


“This isn’t the ballet, Justin. There won’t be any crotches to leer at,” Jennifer warned. “It’s just music.”


“Brian can handle it,”


“Brian can handle what?” Brian asked as he joined them fresh from the grill.


“The symphony.”


“I can handle anything if I make the effort,” Brian stated.


“Well, for Bree’s sake I hope you will make the effort,” Jennifer said. “I want my granddaughter to enjoy the symphony.”


“And you think we don’t?” Brian asked snippily. He didn’t like Jennifer’s tone. “Why would we be taking her to the symphony if we didn’t want her to like it?’


“Brian, I didn’t mean…”


“Sure you did. You think I can’t appreciate the finer things of life because I didn’t grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth. Well fu… Never mind,” Brian said shaking his head. He turned away and walked purposefully toward the grills. At least that was one thing he could do well. Nobody was his equal at grilling. And he didn’t fucking need Jennifer Taylor’s approval for doing that!


“I better go after him,” Justin said standing up.


“I should be the one,” Jennifer said also standing. “I was too hard on him. I’m sure he means well.”


“He doesn’t just mean well, Mom. He does well. He is the best father Bree could ever want, and he’s going to the symphony because he knows it’s good for Bree. I offered to let him stay home, but he wants to go. He loves Bree so much. He would never do anything to ruin it for her.”


“I … I know, honey,” Jennifer said mollified. “I should have been more considerate of his feelings.”


“You were pretty hard on him,” Seth added.


“I know,” Jennifer conceded. “I’m going to talk to him.”


“He may not want to talk to you,” Justin cautioned. “When he gets like this…”


They could all see Brian slapping steaks on the barbecue and slamming the cover. He was obviously not in a good frame of mind.


“Maybe you should wait, Jennifer,” Seth told her.


“No, I need to straighten this out.” Jennifer steeled herself and headed towards Brian.


Justin and Seth watched her cross the yard.


“I don’t think this is a good idea,” Seth said shaking his head.


“Neither do I,” Justin agreed. “But you know Mom…”


“Only too well.”


They both held their breath as Jennifer approached Brian Kinney at the barbecues.


“Brian,” she said.


“Jennifer, leave it alone. Go back to your husband and your perfect life,” Brian growled. He didn’t even turn around to look at her. He kept working with his meat on the grill.


Jennifer snorted. “You can’t get rid of me that easily, Kinney,” she retorted.


“I’ve tried for years.”


“You really are a bastard when you choose to be.”


“Just like I’m an uncouth, blue collar schmuck who can’t appreciate the symphony and will ruin it for his daughter.”


“I never said that,” Jennifer replied, although she knew that she pretty much had implied such a thing.


“If this is your idea of an apology, I think you need some practice.”


“It is an apology,” Jennifer said contritely. “I didn’t mean to imply what you just said. I merely wanted you to help Bree enjoy the symphony.”


“Believe it or not, Justin and I have already had this conversation. I am well aware that if I denigrate the symphony Bree will think it’s bad. I have no intention of doing any such thing.”


“I’m very glad to hear that, and I do apologize for what I said.”


Brian turned to face Jennifer for the first time. He stared into her eyes seeing that she really did mean the apology. “I accept your apology.”


“Thank you, Brian. I don’t like being on the outs with you.”


“I don’t like it either.”


“I think you are a wonderful father.”


“Then why…?” Brian stopped, shaking his head as he didn’t want to say what he was thinking.


“You want to know why I would say that you needed to make the effort?” Brian nodded. “I said it because I know that the symphony was not part of your upbringing. I want Bree to have every chance in life, and…”


“I will give her everything that life has to offer,” Brian stated.


“I know that. I really am sorry.”


“I think I already accepted your apology, so let’s drop it.”


“Okay,” Jennifer said, “as long as we’re okay.”


Brian looked like he was about to make a snarky comment, but he changed his mind. “We’re fine,” he said finally.


“Good.”


“Yeah, good.”


“I was thinking…” Jennifer continued letting her words hang in the air.


“That can’t be a good thing,” Brian snarked.


Jennifer gave Brian’s arm a swat. “I was thinking that Seth and I haven’t been to the symphony in a long time. Maybe we should get tickets so we can see Bree’s reaction.”


“And make sure that I don’t ruin it for her.”


“Brian!”


“Okay, okay, get your tickets.”


“You won’t mind?”


“Me, mind? Never!”


“Good then I’ll go talk to Allen and Ted about getting the tickets.”


“Yeah, Ted…” Brian muttered.


Jennifer walked away looking for Ted and Allen in the mass of people attending the party. She was glad to be back on good terms with Brian, and she would enjoy the symphony, and she could make sure that Bree knew all about the music.


“Maybe I should buy all the seats for this fucking Mozart concert,” Brian mumbled as he turned the steaks on the barbecue. “They’re going to be filled with all the fucking members of this dysfunctional group anyway.”


“That might not be a bad idea,” Justin said with a chuckle as he joined his husband. “You and Mom okay?”


“Peachy,” Brian snarked.


“Then you get a big kiss for making up with her.”

 

“Like I had a choice,” Brian managed to say just before Justin claimed his lips in a hot and wet kiss.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Culturation


Chapter 8





In spite of the bumps and the inevitable small family squabbles that were bound to happen when a group this large all got together in one place, the afternoon party welcoming the latest child into the fold went well. Ray called from New York and had his family get on the phone to add their congratulations. Ray would have come but he was in the middle of a class project and couldn’t get away. Ken and Simon invited Drew, Emmett and Richie to New York at their earliest convenience. The family all made suggestions regarding the sites that must be seen. At some point, someone suggested a group photo of all the kids. Justin got his camera and began to take pictures, promising printed copies to anyone who was interested.


As the sun started to go down, many of the Liberty Avenue contingent started to leave. Michael had had a great time with JR and everyone, but the busy day and unending conversations were taking their toll. Ben put Michael to bed as the rest of the family began the task of cleaning up and packing up the leftovers.


“Are you sure he’s okay?” Debbie asked Ben for what seemed like the one hundredth time.


“He’s fine, Deb. I promise you, but he was up early and he’s tired. I swear, he just needs a good night’s sleep,” Ben reassured her.


“Well, if you’re sure.” Debbie wasn’t totally convinced.


“I’m sure.”


“But it’s so early,” Debbie exclaimed. Ben glanced at his watch; it was just about seven in the evening.


“Believe me, this is late for him. For most of the summer, Michael was fast asleep by five,” Ben tried to explain.


“Come on, professor, would ya stop monopolizing Debbie, I need her help with all these salads!” Brian scolded Ben as he held up a bunch of containers and lids. He gave the impression of a typical husband that didn’t know his ass from his elbow in the kitchen. Debbie marched herself over.


“Give me those,” Debbie shouted as she grabbed the containers. “Men, useless sometimes,” she griped as she busied herself organizing the leftovers. Ben looked at Brian and gave him the thumbs up. Within an hour the leftovers were packed away and a special ‘care package’ was made for Gus to take back with him to Penn.


As if on cue, the remaining family made their way through the gardens toward Edna’s Treasures.



*****



“It’s beautiful out here,” Lindsay commented as she slowly led Charles toward the conjoined cottages. The Fall plants were in full bloom.


“Yes, it is,” Charles agreed. The evening was still warm even though it was approaching mid September. “Where does this path lead?” Charles asked referring to the path past the Wendy house and to the stream. He already knew from Brian what was down there, but he wanted some time alone with his lovely lady.


“The stream. There’s a small stream that cuts through the property. It’s not really deep enough for swimming but it’s very refreshing in the heat of summer. Would you care to see it? It’s still light enough.”


“I’d love to if you think your family wouldn’t mind our absence. I have the impression that I am being closely scrutinized.”


They strolled along the path until they got to the stream. There on the big rock Lindsay and Charles continued their talk.


“You probably are,” Lindsay replied honestly. “My family is...”


“Very protective, as they should be. But I do hope they give you the opportunity to make up your own mind regarding our...”


“Future?”


“Mmm. We are, after all, attempting a transatlantic relationship. I fear that you would perhaps be happier with someone more convenient and younger.”


“Charles, you are a fit, vibrant man.  I don’t think age should be a factor. And the transatlantic issue goes both ways. I am aware that you have a certain reputation among the ladies.” Lindsay was trying for some diplomacy.


“Sidney warned you, didn’t he?”


“Yes, he did and so did your first wife,” Lindsay said nonchalantly. Charles broke out into laughter.


“She likes you. She thinks that you might be the one to break me of my bad habits.”


“Charles, I learned a long time ago that no one can change you but yourself.”


“Do you speak of Melanie?”


“No. But if you’re able to get a quiet moment alone with Brian before we leave tomorrow, ask him about the stud.”


“Stud?”


“Just ask him. And now I think it’s time for us to go back.” Lindsay took Charles’ arm and steered him back toward the cottage.



*****



“Mama?” JR entered the living room on Brian and Justin’s side of the cottages. The remaining families were quietly talking, enjoying the evening and sharing future plans. Mel was talking to Gus who was proudly boasting about the grade he received on his summer project.


“Yes, sweetheart,” Mel said as she gently caressed JR’s cheek.


“Are you leaving soon?”


“I’m going back with you guys tomorrow.”


“No, I mean, you’ll be going back to Portland soon.”


“Yes, I have to go back to work. LornaÂ’s been very generous allowing me this time off.”


“I’m going to miss you,” JR said as she wrapped her arms around her mother’s waist.


“I’m going to miss you too, baby,” Mel said as she kissed JR’s head. “I love you so much and I am so very proud of you.”


“Gus, are you leaving too?” Bree asked her brother as she crawled up onto his lap. Her violet blue eyes glittered with unspilt tears and her lower lip began to tremble.


“I have to go back to school, you know that. But I promise we can eat breakfast together in the morning before I drive back.” Gus hoped that promise would forestall any waterworks. “Hey, short stuff, why don’t you ask Mr. Riley if he’d play something on the piano with you.”


Bree’s expression immediately changed. She hopped down off her brother’s lap and then skipped over to her fathers to find out if it was okay to ask Riley. Getting smiles and nods from her dads, Bree went to coax Riley into an impromptu concert.



*****



“Mr. Riley,” Bree finally said when Riley had stopped talking to Danny. She had waited patiently while the two men were talking.


“Yes, young lady. You wanted something?” Riley asked as he looked down at the petite girl.


“Could you play something with me on the piano?” Bree batted her violet blue eyes at him.


“I might be persuaded,” Riley replied with a smile. “What would you like to play?”


“Mozart.”


“Mozart?”


“Yes, my daddies are going to take me to the symphony to hear Mozart, so I want to know what it’s like.”


“Hm,” Riley said. “Mozart isn’t exactly easy to play. Has Miss Faith taught you a Mozart piece?”


Bree shook her head. “I thought maybe you could.”


“As I said, Mozart isn’t easy.”


“Oh,” Bree said dejectedly. That must mean that she wasn’t good enough to play Mozart. She didn’t like hearing that.


“But I think we should give it a try anyway,” Riley said cheerfully.


Bree’s face lit up. “Oh yes, Mr. Riley. I’ll try really hard.”


Riley took Bree’s hand and they started towards the living room where the spinet now resided. “You don’t need to try really hard, Miss Bree,” Riley said gently. “Sometimes it’s much better just to feel the music … let it sink inside you and roll around. You might be surprised at what comes out.”


A frown creased Bree’s forehead as she walked along with Riley. She didn’t know what he meant. Miss Faith had never told her anything like that. Miss Faith just expected her to play the right notes with the right fingers in the right tempo. She wasn’t sure she understood what Riley expected of her at all.


When they reached the piano, they both sat down on the piano bench. Bree waited patiently for Riley to tell her what to do.


“I’m going to play the first part of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik,” Riley explained.


“Huh?”


“It’s just the title of a piece by Mozart. It means A Little Night Music or A Little Serenade.”


“I like that,” Bree said with a smile.


“It’s a very famous piece. I want you to listen carefully and see if you can hear the same chords repeated.”


“’Kay,” Bree said. She thought she could do that.


Riley began the piece. The first section repeated itself several times.


(You can go here to listen to what Riley played:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8HrTfZwtic )


“Can you hear the repetition?”


Bree nodded. “Right at the beginning it repeated twice.”


“Very good. Do you think you can play that part? I’ll play the first one and you play the repeat.”


“’Kay,” Bree agreed. She studied Riley’s hands as he played it again.


“Feel the music, Bree. Place your fingers here and try to play the same thing.”


Riley played the start again and Bree jumped in on cue. It was almost correct.


“I made a mistake,” Bree said sadly.


“No you didn’t. It was almost perfect. Let’s try again, and watch for that troublesome note. Listen and feel,” Riley counseled.


When it was Bree’s turn to come in, she did it perfectly this time.


“Wonderful!” Riley exclaimed. “Now I’m going to play another section, and then there’s a place where much the same thing happens. See if you can hear the repetition and then we’ll play that together.”


Bree nodded. This was fun. Playing for Miss Faith was very serious. They never had fun. Bree knew she learned a lot from Miss Faith. But Riley made it fun.


After several repetitions Riley stopped. “I think you have done very well, young miss,” he said. “Shall we play for the family?”


“Yes, please,” Bree said. “I like Ina Clina Knock Music.”


Riley chuckled. “I like it too. Mozart has some wonderful tunes. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the symphony.”


“Do you think they’ll play this one?” Bree asked.


“I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s one of Mozart’s most famous pieces,” Riley said. “Go get your daddies and we’ll play for them.”


Bree hopped down off the piano bench and ran to get her fathers.


Riley sat staring at the piano keyboard. For so many years since the death of his lover, he had been reluctant - no afraid - to play the piano. It had taken this little girl to get him to play again. And not only was he playing, but he was enjoying it.


“I hear we have a concert to listen to,” Brian said as he entered the living room.


“Briana and I are ready for an audience, aren’t we?” Riley asked with a wink as Bree climbed back onto the piano bench beside him.


“Yep,” was Bree’s simple answer.


Most of the rest of the family had trailed behind Brian and Justin as they went into the house. The living room quickly filled with people.


“Are you okay with this?” Riley whispered to Bree. Many children her age would have stage fright in front of so many people.


“I’m ready,” Bree responded. “I just have to feel it.”


Riley grinned. “Good girl! Then let’s get started.”


Riley waited while Bree positioned her hands over the appropriate keys. With a flourish he played the familiar opening section. Bree repeated it beautifully. Riley played the more difficult section in the middle, and they ended with the repetition again. The applause was deafening as everyone clapped loudly as soon as they finished.


“That was wonderful, Bree, Riley,” Justin said. He leaned down to kiss Bree’s cheek. She beamed up at him.


“Do I get one of those?” Riley asked mischievously.


“If you can teach Bree to play like that in five minutes, I’ll kiss your feet.”


Riley was taken aback. “I was just joking,” he said quickly.


“I wasn’t. That was amazing. Bree has learned a lot over the months she has been playing, but this was … special.”


“I’d say she’s ready for the Mozart concert,” Brian interjected.


“Most definitely,” Riley agreed.


“Thank you, Mr. Riley,” Bree gushed. She threw her arms around his neck.


“You’re most welcome, little lady,” Riley replied with a big smile.


“If Mozart sounds this good, I should take myself to that fucking symphony too,” Debbie said loudly.


“Yes, maybe I should take Candy and JR,” Lindsay added.


There were several more rumblings about other people attending. Brian felt his blood pressure escalate. What kind of a monster had they created?



*****



It was getting close to ten and everyone was feeling the aftereffects of the abundance of good food and drink, and a long emotional day. Sleep was calling. Fortunately, with the additional rooms at the B&B, there was room for everyone to sleep on a comfortable bed for the night. JR invited her mother to room with her while Lindsay and Candy shared a room. For propriety’s sake, Charles was offered the futon in Brian’s attic office. Danny and Riley were about to go home to their tollhouse cottage.


‘Now what are they up to?’ Brian asked himself when he saw his blonds with their heads together, whispering.


“Mr. Riley?” Bree asked from Justin’s arms just as Riley was about to go out the door.


“Yes, little lady?”


“Would you teach me more Mozart and other stuff?” Bree asked, her violet blue eyes sparkling with hope and anticipation. Justin’s ocean blue eyes held the same sparkle. Brian smirked knowing very few could resist the power of those Taylor eyes. He held his breath waiting to see if Riley would cave under the pressure. Brian had no clue what Bree had asked but it amused Brian to see Riley’s response.


“Well, now that’s a difficult question to answer. You already have a piano teacher who I know is a very good teacher,” Riley insisted.


“But she doesn’t make me feeeel the music like you do. PLEEEZZZ!” Bree begged.


Riley felt Danny discreetly nudge the back of his leg as he contemplated the request. “I’m not always in the neighborhood. Sometimes I have to travel to wherever the orchestra needs me and of course Danny and I live in the city,” Riley explained. Bree and Justin’s faces fell. “However, when we’re staying out here, I’ll come by to give you special lessons as long as you keep up your lessons from Miss Faith,” Riley said as he shook his finger at the little girl. Then gently poked her tiny nose.


“YAY!” Bree screeched, jumping excitedly in her father’s arms. Duel sunshine smiles were trained on Riley making him laugh and shake his head.


“I think I’ve been hoodwinked,” Riley said as he laughed.


“I know you have,” Danny said. “But it’s good for you. I think Miss Briana will be your greatest student. Come on, old man, it’s time for bed,” Danny said as they passed out their goodbyes to the family. “We’ll be back in the morning for breakfast,” Danny said giving Brian a pointed look. Brian nodded; he anticipated cooking up a massive breakfast in the morning.


As Danny and Riley left the cottage, they could still hear Bree and Justin giggling with delight.



*****



“And this is where the artiste makes his magic,” Charles stated looking around the sun porch as Brian took him through and up the spiral staircase.


“Yes, he and John devised the pulley system. It came in very handy when Bree was in her exploration of everything she could touch phase. We use the sun porch daily; it’s just convenient this way,” Brian said.


“Ingenious,” Charles exclaimed. “I don’t think I’ve seen anything else like it. And this is your domain?” Charles commented as he looked around the office. Justin did have his own desk at one end of the office, but it truly was an office of an executive with its state of the art computer, fax machine, and copier. “You oversee all of your businesses from here.”


“You can put it that way,” Brian smirked.


“And you can keep an eye on your family as well,” Charles observed as he looked over the balcony rail. Brian nodded. “What’s over that way?” Charles pointed across the sun porch.


“John’s office. He likes a certain amount of symmetry. Our cottages are very similar although a bit turned around. Our front door faces the lane, his faces the garden. The sun porch connects through our back wall and the side of his cottage. Neither cottage had a basement nor an attic, just a small crawl space. He literally raised the roof to give us an attic office. With the futon or pull out, we both have an extra room when we need it.”


“And with the size of your family, you certainly need it,” Charles agreed. “This is amazing. Not quite what I envisioned for a man of your means and the hippest artist since Warhol.”


“It works for us,” Brian quipped.


“Evidently. And your children, they don’t miss the city?” Charles asked as he opened up his overnight bag while Brian extended the futon then took out the bedding from a small built in closet.


“Gus lived with his mother in the Pitts when he was growing up and stayed with us during holidays and the summer. Now, he comes and goes as he pleases. Bree and Patrick don’t know any other way of life. They can’t miss what they don’t know.”


“And you and Justin? I always took you for city boys.”


“We still have my loft in the city if we need it, although now Gus uses it more than we do. I like my privacy,” Brian said with an arch of his eyebrow. Charles took it as a sign and refrained from asking any more questions. “I’ll show you the bathroom,” Brian said as he turned to walk back down the staircase. Charles quickly grabbed his things then followed.



*****



“What do you think about Charles?” Brian asked Justin as he and Justin stepped into their bathroom to shower off the day.


“What do you mean? He’s a very important person in the art world.”


“No, I mean, what do you think of him personally? He’s handsome, I think the term debonair fits him perfectly, but will he be good for Lindsay?” Brian expressed his concerns as he gently scrubbed Justin’s skin with a bath sponge. Justin, loving the feeling of Brian’s ministrations, took some time to respond.


“I think we should let Lindsay make up her own mind about Charles,” Justin said wisely. “But I’m going to be spending a lot of time in the Pitts. Sidney and I will keep an eye on her if you’d like.” Brian nodded in agreement. “Your turn,” Justin said as he took the sponge from Brian.


Justin poured a generous amount of Brian’s favorite body wash onto the sponge then slowly dragged it all over Brian’s long frame. Brian closed his eyes leaning a little on the shower wall letting Justin take control. He could feel the tensions of the day flow away and down the drain with the bubbles.


“Turn around,” Justin murmured sensuously in Brian’s ear. He repeated his slow careful bathing of Brian’s back and legs, lifting each leg to tend to Brian’s beautiful feet. He poured more soap onto the sponge to take particular care of Brian’s cock and ass. It had been a long time since he and Brian indulged in any shower fun.


“Hang on,” Justin teased. Brian positioned himself with his hands and arms against the wall. Justin knelt behind his lover, parting the taut cheeks to access the tender bud within. Using all the lessons taught to him by Brian, Justin rimmed until Brian was almost begging for more. Justin stood up, rubbing his hard cock against Brian’s leg.


“Yes?” Justin asked.


“Yes,” Brian purred back.


Justin opened up a small packet of lube that they always kept in the shower and prepared Brian. Brian pushed back, taking a wider stance to compensate for their height difference. Justin pushed himself in, waiting while they both adjusted to the overwhelming feelings. At Brian’s grunt, Justin began to thrust, filling his lover completely. Before the water could run cold, they felt their orgasms build, coming together with loud moans.


Justin leaned against Brian’s back as their breathing regulated back to normal.


“One of your personal best, Sunshine,” Brian murmured as he turned and gathered Justin into his arms, kissing him senseless. Brian turned off the water, guided his sated lover out of the shower, toweling him dry.

 

The lovers went to bed, cuddling close then falling into a deep sleep.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Culturation


Chapter 9





The next morning Edna’s Treasures started stirring early. Brian knew he had guests to take care of and a massive breakfast to start. Leaving Justin sleeping peacefully, he was in the kitchen beating eggs when he heard footsteps coming down the spiral staircase from his office. He stopped what he was doing and poured another mug of coffee. As soon as Charles walked into the kitchen, he was handed the steaming mug.


“Ah,” Charles said as he took a sip. “Good morning and thanks for the wake-up juice.”


“No problem,” Brian replied as he started beating his eggs again.


“How many eggs do you have in that bowl?” Charles asked as he peered over Brian’s shoulder.


“Three dozen.”


“My God, the cholesterol!”


Brian chuckled. “Cholesterol in eggs is a myth. Besides, I only make scrambled eggs for special occasions.”


“Does everyone come here?”


“Yep.”


“May I help you?” Charles asked.


“Do you know how to cook?”


“Raather!”


“Then start loading those fry pans with bacon,” Brian said.


When Emmett arrived not long after, breakfast was well under way. Emmett noted that the two chefs seemed to be getting along very well. He supposed that bonding over bacon was one way to get to know each other.


Before long everyone was enjoying Brian’s famous breakfast at the long tables in the sun porch. There were jokes and laughter as everyone relaxed and enjoyed coffee, juice and milk after the big meal.


Charles was sitting beside Lindsay admiring the goings-on. He realized that the logistics of feeding and cooking for so many people were not easy. Brian and his family seemed to have it down pat.


“Are you enjoying the get-together?” Lindsay asked as she gently touched Charles’ hand.


“Very much,” Charles replied sincerely.


Gus was watching them. “Mom,” he said, “where’s Grandma Joan?”


“I … I don’t know,” Lindsay said surprised that she hadn’t noted Joan’s absence from the congratulatory party for Richie and his new family. “It’s not like her to miss a family gathering.”


“Joan said she would stay at the store,” Danny offered. “I told her she should come and be with the family, but she said the long drive tired her out.”


“So she’d rather work?” Brian asked sarcastically. “Maybe she finally got sick of being near me.”


“Brian,” Justin admonished gently, “you know that’s not true. She probably does get tired. She’s no spring chicken anymore. But she loves you so much.”


“Can we go see Gamma Joan soon?” Bree asked. She missed her grandma.


“We’ll do that really soon,” Justin promised. He looked at Brian who merely nodded.


“So, Richie,” Brian said, “are you still happy to be part of this cwazy wittle group, or did you come to your senses overnight?”


“I’m happy to be here,” Richie replied with a big grin, “but you all take some getting used to.”


“And you’ve gotten very used to us, haven’t you, son?” Drew asked.


“Very!” Richie replied, earning a big laugh from most of the group.


“You got yourself a couple of great dads!” Debbie stated loudly. “You couldn’t ask for better.”


“Oh, pshaw,” Emmett replied, but his warm smile showed that he appreciated Debbie’s kind words.


“Nothing but the best for our son from here on out,” Drew said emphatically. He reached over and pulled his new son into a fierce hug.


“Can I have a hug?” Bree asked Justin.


“Certainly, sweetheart.”


That led to everyone hugging their neighbor.


“I think I’m going to hurl,” Brian whispered to Gus as he gave his son a big hug too.


“You know you love them all,” Gus said knowingly.


“Maybe,” Brian replied. Gus patted his back before releasing his dad from the hug. “We still need to talk about India.”


Brian shook his head. He didn’t want this to be done in front of everyone that was there. Gus quickly picked up on the cue and nodded to his father.


Breakfast was over, the hugging was over. Everyone began to filter out of Edna’s Treasures, heading for their cars and home. There were a lot more kisses and hugs as people took their leave. Happy events were a great time for people to get together. Welcoming a new child into the fold was about the best thing of all.



*****



“Gus,” Bree said as Gus was packing up his duffel bag getting ready to return to Penn.


Gus turned from his bed where the duffel bag lay to see his sister standing in the doorway of his bedroom. “What’s up, short stuff?”


“Do you have to go?”


“Bree, you know we always have this discussion, and yes, I have to go.”


“Are you going to India?”


“What?” Gus asked surprised. “What makes you think that?”


“I heard you whisper to Dada.”


“I don’t know. Pop and I have to talk about it.”


“Don’t go,” Bree pleaded, her eyes very large.


“Nothing’s settled.”


“I love you, my Gus.”


“I love you too.”


That was just the thing to cause Bree to launch herself into Gus’ arms.


Brian found them sitting on the bed together when he came looking for Gus a little while later. “What’s going on in here? Are you two having a party without me?”


“No, Pop, never,” Gus said with a chuckle.


“I’m telling Gus about my project about the family and where we came from,” Bree stated.


“We were supposed to take you to talk to Grandma Joan, weren’t we?” Brian asked.


“Yes, Dada. I have to finish the project soon, so we need to go right away.”


“Yes, General Squirt,” Brian said with a salute. “I’ll get right on that. I’ll call my mother to arrange it.”


Gus shook his head at his father’s antics. “And I have to go,” he said standing up.


“Don’t go,” Bree begged.


“Short stuff,” Gus admonished, “don’t start … pleeease!”


“Sowwy, Gus,” Bree said hanging her head.


“Squirt, come on out to the car with Gus so you can say goodbye properly.”


Bree stood up dejectedly, but she didn’t say anything more. She followed her father and Gus out of the house. Gus threw his duffel bag into the back of the Jeep.


“I guess this is goodbye for a while,” Gus said as he gave his father a hug.


“Don’t forget how to dial the phone,” Brian advised him.


“I won’t, Pop.”


“And don’t forget…” Brian nodded towards Bree who stood silently beside the car.


“Short stuff, I’ll talk to you on the phone, I promise.”


“’Kay,” Bree said, but she didn’t look up. Her eyes were glued to the ground.


“What’s up?” Justin asked as he came out of the house. “You weren’t leaving without saying goodbye to me were you?”


“Never,” Gus said giving Justin a big hug. “Do I get a hug?” he asked Bree when his hug with Justin was over.


Bree looked up then. She couldn’t pass up a hug from her Gus. “I love you, Gus,” she said as she hugged him as hard as she could.


“Love you right back.” Gus squeezed his little sister as hard as he dared.


“Can I go to India with you?” Bree whispered in Gus’ ear.


Gus groaned but he couldn’t answer. He didn’t even know if he would be going. Finally he said, “We’ll have to see. It may be a long way off.”


“I can wait,” Bree promised before Gus climbed into the Jeep.


“Bye, everybody,” he called as he started the car.


They all stood waving at him as the Jeep headed down the lane. Bree took a hand from each of her fathers and they walked back into the house. She needed them to be touching her at the moment. Gus was gone … again.



*****



Fall of 2020 and life for the family returned to normal. Melanie returned to Portland, albeit reluctantly but with a renewed sense of peace. She didn’t feel as cut off from her children as she did when she first moved out there. And she still hadn't gotten over the fact that Brian had allowed her to stay at his loft. Borrowing a page out of Lindsay’s book, Mel decided to take some time to get to know herself before getting into another relationship. She found a small apartment not too far from her office and made it her new home.


Charles was needed back in London. But after hearing the family buzz regarding the symphony they were planning to attend and Lindsay expressing her own interest in it, Charles boldly decided to purchase the tickets. He’d be back to escort Lindsay and her girls to the concert.


“Dada, where are we going?” Bree asked as Brian and Justin watched Patrick run up to Rachel’s front door. The door opened and the red-headed woman greeted her nephew with a hug. Patrick and Rachel waved goodbye then went inside. Brian swung the Jeep around then headed back down the lane.


“We’re going to Pittsburgh,” Brian replied as he stuck his arm out of the Jeep’s window to key the code. It was Friday afternoon, Brian and Justin had picked up the kids from school.


“Why?” Bree looked around over the back seat; she could see her small pink overnight duffel bag. “Are we staying there?” she asked excitedly, not waiting for the response to her first question.


“Yes, baby girl,” Justin replied as he sat back into his seat. He winked at Brian.


“Yay!” Bree squeed. “Can we see Gampa Craig? I don’t see him forever,” Bree asked using her baby voice.


“Briana,” Brian said ominously. Bree’s baby voice was cute when she was a baby but she was eight going on thirty. There was no need for ‘the voice.’


“Who are we going to visit, Dada?” Bree asked properly.


“Since you’re researching the Irish culture and my roots, your daddy and I thought you’d like to spend some time with Grandma Joan,” Brian suggested. “I spoke with your grandmother and she said she has lots of old photographs and some old letters of distant relatives that you might like to see,” Brian went on to explain.


“Really?” Bree asked with a mile-wide smile.


“Yes,” Brian said, keeping his eyes on the road.


“We’re going to stay for the weekend at the loft..."


"After I have it fumigated," Brian mumbled.


"...so you’ll have plenty of time with Grandma Joan,” Justin added totally ignoring Brian's remark. “We’ll come home Sunday. We'll do this every weekend until you've done enough research.”


"Will you and Dada help me?"


"Of course, we will," Justin assured his daughter.


“Yee Haw!” Bree squealed with delight.


Brian and Justin exchanged smiles as they continued their journey to Pittsburgh.



*****



“I’ll be back around seven to take us all to dinner,” Brian called out from the Jeep. He dropped Bree and Justin off at his mother’s house.


“Later, Dada!” Bree called out as she waved. Justin smiled lovingly at Brian mouthing ‘later.’ Joan just waved at her son then ushered Bree and Justin in the door.


Brian waited at the curb for a moment, looking at his childhood home. A lot had changed since he was a kid trying to stay under his father’s radar. Brian actually had a mother he was proud to acknowledge and visit. Joan had let Brian and John fix up the house, inside and out. It no longer stood out as an eyesore nor did the inside smell like stale cigarettes and booze. His mother was happy, had friends and even though she remained faithful to her church, Joan hadn’t used religion to condemn others for years. For a brief moment Brian frowned; his mother looked tired but he shook that thought out of his head. She was getting older, she had a right to be tired sometimes.


Brian smiled as he drove off to Kinnetik.


“Schmidt, what the hell is going on around here?!” Brian bellowed as he strode into his flagship branch. Ted jumped, startled to see his boss and friend. Many of the newer employees winced while they tried to make themselves invisible to the great God Kinney as they scurried to their desks. Brian kept on walking until he reached his office before Ted could think of an appropriate reply.


“Hello, Brian,” Cynthia cheerfully greeted her old boss, friend and business partner. She handed him a mug of coffee more out of habit than anything else.


“What’s going on around here? The office looks like a kindergarten class exploded in it.” The outer office was decorated with Fall leaves and gourds.


“You’re the one who hired real teachers to turn the day care into a real pre-school. This is what happens in pre-school. Kids decorate and the parents are happy. Happy parents are productive parents,” Cynthia said smugly. “What’s a few leaves compared to multi-million dollar contracts?” Cynthia asked with an innocent shrug of her shoulders.


“Fine,” Brian griped as he fiddled with the gourds that adorned his desk. “Just keep it confined to the outer office and leave mine out of the decorating scheme.”


“Your wish is my command, sire,” Cynthia said taking the gourds with her as she walked out. Brian could have sworn he heard her snicker as she closed his door.


About an hour later, Brian stood up from his computer. He had been looking over Kinnetik’s latest contracts and campaigns. His people were doing him proud. Brian sported a contented smile on his face as he walked out of his office.


“Schmidt!”


“Yes, boss,” Ted replied with the right amount of reverence and kowtowing.


“Since when did we become a charitable institution? I thought we were in the business of making money not giving it away,” Brian said with a scowl on his face.


“Ah, I, I see you noticed the Trent’s Pharmacy contract,” Ted stammered.


“I noticed that our retainer was a grand total of one dollar with a balance of another dollar to be paid when we deliver the ad. Care to explain?” Brian growled.


Ted looked around the office to find he was quite alone. The rest of the ad execs appeared to have disappeared. Only Cynthia braved the beast as she stepped out of her office at the behest of Ted’s assistant. Cynthia leaned against a pillar watching the age old dance between Brian and Ted.


“Is Mr. Kinney going to fire Mr. Schmidt for taking on the pharmacy contract?” Ted’s assistant asked Cynthia. Trent’s was a small ‘mom and pop’ pharmacy that catered to many of the indigent and down and out citizens of the inner city. They were hoping that an upscale ad would bring in more business to help finance their charitable work.


“Don’t worry; Brian’s bark is much worse than his bite. He’ll grumble, curse and threaten but in the end, he’ll give the campaign his stamp of approval, offer some very insightful suggestions then present the final boards himself. He and Ted have been doing this dance for years.”


A few minutes later, Ted finished his groveling. He then accompanied Brian to the Art Department where Brian looked over the boards. He did indeed offer very insightful suggestions which were acted upon immediately with the help of modern technology, namely the computer. All were very pleased with the results.


“Theodore, let’s go present your ideas to the Trents!” Brian commanded as the printer spit out the reworked poster.


“Yes, boss! Right away, boss!” Ted replied as he gave the Art Department the thumbs up then grabbed the boards to catch up with Brian.


“See? All is right in the world,” Cynthia said with a smile as Ted quickly grabbed his jacket trying to keep up with Brian’s long strides and not drop the boards as they left Kinnetik.


“Amazing,” was all the assistant could mutter as she went back to her own desk.



*****



“Gamma Joan, is that Grandpa Jack?” Bree asked pointing to a picture in the album they had been looking at.


“You have a good eye, Briana,” Joan replied. “That’s Jack not too long after we got married. He was very young.”


“He looks nice.”


Joan blinked and stared at the picture. After a moment she said, “He was nice … sometimes. I did love him.”


“That’s good,” Bree responded. “My daddies love each other a whole bunch.”


“I know they do,” Joan said with a gentle smile. “They’re very lucky to have found each other.”


Bree nodded. “Gamma Joan, do you think I’ll get married someday?”


“I imagine you will. But only when you’re sure you’ve found the right man, someone who loves you and will look after you and will let you have the career you want.”


Bree frowned. “My daddies say I can be whatever I want.”


“And what do you want?”


“I’m not sure. I’d like to be a doctor and help people like Patrick’s grandpa does.”


“That would be good.”


“But Patrick says sometimes there’s blood … and I don’t like blood very much.”


“Oh, yes, blood can be … difficult. I don’t like it much either.”


“Is that ‘cause we’re related?” Bree asked. “Does it run in the family? My teacher says you can see family traits from parents to children.”


Joan chuckled. “Technically we’re not related, Bree. Brian adopted you.”


“Yeah, he told me that. But, he’s my Dada, right?”


“One hundred percent.”


“Good. So, Grampa Jack worked in a factory?”


“Yes, he did.”


“What did he do there?”


“He worked with electrical equipment.”


“Was he a ‘lectrician?” Bree had heard that word from her fathers. ‘Lectricians came when the lights didn’t work.


“No, he wasn’t an electrician.” Joan made sure to pronounce the word correctly. She knew that Brian liked his daughter to speak well.


“Was anyone else in the family a ‘lectrician?”


“No, no one else in the family is an electrician. Although, I think Jack would have liked Brian to join the Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.”


“Brotherhood?”


“It’s kind of like a union, a group that looks out for the best interests of the workers.” ‘And provides a place for the men to drink,’ Joan thought to herself.


“Oh!” Bree printed something in her notepad that she had brought with her.


“How old was Grandpa Jack when he died?”


“Fifty-nine,” Joan replied. Bree wrote that down.


“Gamma Joan, have you got any cookies? I’m hungry. This is hard work.”


Joan chuckled. “I’m sure we can rustle up a cookie or two. But first, why do you call me Gamma Joan and Jack grandpa?”


“I don’t know Grandpa Jack, but I love you. You’re my Gamma Joan.”


Joan smiled. “I love you too, sweetheart. Let’s get that cookie.”

 

Bree followed her Gamma Joan into the kitchen.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Culturation


Chapter 10






The Kinney-Taylor family spent the next several weekends leading up to the Mozart concert, in Pittsburgh. It was October, the family would be attending the concert soon. Brian and Justin continued to pick up the kids after school on Fridays, drop off Patrick then make the trek into the city to stay for the weekend so that Bree could learn more about her “roots’ from her Gamma Joan.


Briana spent the afternoon with her Gamma Joan, sometimes with her daddy and sometimes not. Occasionally Justin spent his time at the gallery; his floral paintings and nudes were rocking the art world. Plus, Justin was interested in John’s redevelopment project, spending some of his time sketching the construction workers. Brian was taking delight in throwing his weight around at Kinnetik.


“Briana, I’d like you to take these home with you,” Joan said indicating all the letters and old photos she, Bree and Justin had painstakingly organized and placed in a special album. Justin noted that some of the photos were fading. Their original albums were old, not the acid free type that was kinder to photos and old paper. So while Bree was learning about her heritage, Justin, with Joan’s permission was preserving the documents for posterity. They were sitting at Joan’s dining room table examining the documents.


“Really?” Bree exclaimed, her face lighting up with joy. “Daddy, can I?”


“I’m not sure. Joan, are you certain you want to do this? I mean, this is your family,” Justin said giving Brian’s mother a pointed look.


“I know what you’re thinking, Justin. I realize that technically Bree is not of Brian’s blood, but Gus is. Claire’s children are all grown and never expressed an interest in learning anything of their roots. Bree and Gus are different, culture and family heritage seem more important to them. And I’m sure if Claire, John or Peter ever asked to look at these, you’d be happy to share the album with them,” Joan said.


Justin nodded. “You’re sure,” he repeated.


“I’m very sure. Learning about ones roots is very important. We can learn from our past and perhaps not repeat the mistakes we’ve made.” Joan gave Justin a knowing look.


“I understand and thank you,” Justin said. “We’d be honored to take care of these for you and your family,” he vowed.


“They’re your family too, Justin. And Bree’s. Never forget that. You’ve brought such joy to my son, something I was never able to accomplish when he was a child. I’m the one who is honored to have you be the guardian of these.” Joan made a sweeping gesture at the book but Justin was sure that Joan meant much more than old pictures.


“I promise you that I’ll take good care of these,” Justin responded but Joan knew he was promising her so much more.


Joan nodded. “Shall we have a snack while we wait for your father?” she suggested.


“Oh yes, Gamma! I’m hungry,” Bree said with a smile while she patted her tummy.


Joan laughed. “Then I think a snack is just what the doctor ordered,” she said as she extended her hand to Bree.


Bree took her grandmother’s hand then walked with her to the kitchen. Justin stayed at the table slowly turning the pages, gingerly examining the evidence of an era long gone and thinking to himself how life had changed for him and Brian over the years. He had a weird feeling that more changes were in store for them.



*****



“Schmidt!” Brian growled as he surveyed the main “bullpen” area of Kinnetik. The Fall leaves had been replaced by Jack O’ Lanterns, scarecrows, bats and other evidence of Halloween.


“Yes, Boss,” Ted made his usual reply. “What can I do for you?”


“You can explain to me why Kinnetik looks like a haunted house exploded in it.”


Ted just shrugged his shoulders. Brian pinched the bridge of his nose. That gesture sent the seasoned employees fleeing back to their desks attempting to look busy. Newer employees were sporting that ‘deer in the headlight’ look awaiting what Brian would do next.


Before Brian turned to storm back into his office, a little blond whirlwind ran down the aisles, expertly scurrying around desks like a football player making for the goal post.


“Bi!” Taylor called out as Brian scooped the toddler up into his arms, blowing raspberries against Taylor’s tummy. The little boy giggled with delight. Brian laughed along with him, his unlined handsome face lighting up, taking an additional twenty years off the sexy head man of Kinnetik.


“That’s Uncle Bi to you, young man,” Brian said without reservation. Kinnetik’s employees all stared in disbelief as Brian played with his nephew. Sensing he was being watched, Brian growled out a warning to his staff. “Don’t you people have work to do?!” Brian bellowed as Molly approached to take her wayward son back to the nursery school. Brian made a sloppy kiss against Taylor’s cheek making the boy laugh. Handing the boy back to his mother, Brian gave the petite blond a chaste kiss to her cheek. Molly blushed then took her son back to day care. Brian watched the blonds walk away. They reminded him of his own blonds; he couldn’t help but smile.


“Something I can do for you, Boss?” Ted asked breaking through Brian’s reverie.


“Yeah, get back to work,” Brian growled without much sting.


“Right away, Boss,” came the expected retort.


“You do know that the staff is on to you,” Cynthia commented as she fell into step with her boss and longtime friend.


“Yeah, I get that, but let me wallow in ignorance for a while,” Brian replied as he went toward his office.


“As you will,” Cynthia said with a royal wave, turning toward her own office. Brian smirked as he slammed his office door.



*****



“How do I look, Dada?” Bree asked as she twirled around in front of her father.


“Like a beautiful little girl … my little girl,” Brian said as he looked fondly at his daughter who was wearing a new pink dress selected specially for the symphony. It was finally time for the family to attend the long awaited Mozart concert. They were meeting Ted at the concert hall in about half an hour.


Bree smiled prettily at her older father. “I love you, Dada.”


“I hope you’re going to love the symphony.”


“Oh yes! Mr. Riley says Mozart is a very good composer.”


“Is that right?”


“Yes, Dada.”


“Well then, Mr. Mozart must be very good indeed.”


“So we’ve been told by all and sundry,” Justin said as he came down the steps in the loft.


Brian stared at his handsome husband who in his eyes had aged not at all. “I’m going to be accompanying the two most beautiful people in the world to the symphony tonight,” Brian said sincerely.


“Hey, that’s my line,” Justin joked.


“We are rather magnificent, aren’t we?” Brian stated straightening his tie.


“We’re perfect,” Bree said meaning every word.


Brian and Justin laughed.


“Let’s get this show on the road,” Brian told them as he pulled back the loft door.


“I’m ready, Dada,” Bree said as she stepped through.


“Me too, Dada,” Justin joked.


Brian gave him a swat on the ass before turning to lock the door behind them.



*****



“So, Bree, how do you like being backstage?” Ted asked as he escorted the little girl and her family behind the scenes at the symphony. Musicians were getting their instruments out of cases and doing some preliminary tuning.


“There’s lots of instruments,” Bree said as she took it all in.


“Yes, and they make beautiful music together.”


“Is there a piano?” Bree asked.


“Yes, but it’s out on the stage already.”


“Oh. Will somebody play it?”


“Of course. In fact, that lady over there will be playing it,” Ted explained. “Would you like to meet her? Maybe Allen could introduce you to her.”


“I’d be happy to,” Allen agreed.


“Yes, please,” Bree said politely.


Ted took Bree’s hand and with Allen led her over to the woman he had pointed out.


“Cheryl,” Allen said, “we have a little lady here who plays the piano herself and is getting her first introduction to the symphony tonight. May I introduce her to you?”


“Certainly,” Cheryl said extending her hand to Bree. “I’m Cheryl Adams. I play the piano for the symphony.”


“I’m Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree said as she shook hands with the pianist. “I play my piano at home.” Cheryl tried not to laugh at the precocious little girl. “Are you going to play Eine Kleine Nachtmusik?” Bree asked very pleased with herself that she got the words out so well.


“As a matter of fact, I will be playing that,” Cheryl replied, obviously impressed that such a young girl knew Mozart’s music. “That’s one of the most famous of Mozart’s compositions.”


“I played it with Mr. Riley,” Bree said proudly.


“Riley? Not the man who tunes the piano?”


“Yep,” Bree stated.


“Then you are in very good hands. I’ve heard him play when he gets the piano tuned and wants to test it out. He’s very talented.”


“He might teach me some piano,” Bree said pleased that Miss Cheryl knew her friend and mentor.


“That would be lovely,” Cheryl said with a smile. “Great to meet you, Miss Briana, but I must go and get ready for the concert.”


“Bye, Miss Cheryl,” Bree said as the lady disappeared out a door.


Brian and Justin had stood to one side watching Bree interact with the symphony lady. They were very pleased with how polite she was and how well she conducted herself.


“We should get you to your box, make that boxes,” Ted said to the Kinney-Taylor family. “See you after the concert, Allen,” Ted added giving his longtime lover a kiss.


They all followed Ted as he led them out of the backstage area into a hallway. He pointed them in the direction of an usher who would show them to their seats.


“I may see you after the symphony,” Ted said, “but, in case I don’t, I hope you enjoy it, Bree.”


“Thanks, Unca Ted.”


“You’re welcome, little lady.”


“Where are you sitting, Schmidt?” Brian asked.


“Third row center.”


“Couldn’t Allen get you better seats?” Brian teased.


“They are great seats. Enjoy your box,” Ted said huffily. He didn’t like being mocked especially where music was concerned. He started to walk away.


“Theodore,” Brian said in a commanding voice.


“Yes,” Ted said turning to face his boss.


“Thanks for all this. Bree really enjoyed seeing the instruments and meeting the pianist, didn’t you, Bree?”


“Yes, Dada. Thanks, Unca Ted.”


“You’re welcome,” Ted told them with a little smile. “It was my pleasure.”


Brian nodded before handing his tickets to the usher who directed them to the stairs. Another usher at the top of the steps showed them to their box. When they entered, Ashley and her mother were already seated there, just as Brian had arranged.


“Thank you for inviting us,” Susanna said. “Ashley’s so excited.”


An extra chair had been squeezed into the box to accommodate five people. Bree and Ashley hugged each other and then sat on the two chairs that had been pushed together at the front of the box. Susanna was seated there with them. The girls smoothed their dresses and sat up straight.


Brian smiled as he and Justin sat down behind them.


“Brian,” a voice said.


Brian turned to the side and saw his mother, Lindsay, Charles and the girls sitting in the next box to theirs. “I see everybody made it,” Brian observed.


“This is a real treat,” Lindsay said.


“Thank you for inviting me, son,” Joan said with a smile. “I didn’t care for the stairs to get up here, but the view is wonderful.”


“There is an elevator, mother,” Brian said. “Maybe you should use it at the end of the concert.”


“I believe I will,” Joan conceded.


“Look, Daddy,” Bree said. “There’s Gamma Jenn and Gampa Seth. And there’s Mr. Riley.”


“And Danny,” Justin added. “Oh my God! Is that Debbie and Carl? And there’s Todd and Gerry, and Emmett with Drew and Richie.”


“Is the whole fucking world here?” Brian said as many of the people down in the orchestra started waving at them.


“I think it might be,” Justin said with a laugh.


Before any other people could be spotted the lights dimmed slightly and members of the orchestra proceeded out onto the stage. When they were all seated the conductor was introduced. He walked out to applause and took his position in front of the orchestra. He raised his arm and the concert began.


Three short pieces were played. They were quite lively, and Bree clapped enthusiastically when they were over. The conductor turned to the audience and explained that Mozart had written the first piece when he was four years old. It was known as the Andante in C Major. The other two were Allegros also written when Mozart was a child.


“Do you think I could write music like that?” Bree asked with big eyes. “He was only four and I’m two times that old.”


“Maybe you could talk to Riley about that,” Justin suggested.


“We’re going to take you on a walk through Mozart’s life,” the conductor explained. He picked up his baton and the music commenced again.


At one point Brian looked over at his mother who appeared to be enjoying the concert. Her eyes were closed as she gently swayed with the music. Bree had left their box to sit on Joan’s lap to enjoy the music with her grandmother. Joan’s arms were holding Bree tightly against her, relishing in the togetherness. She turned and smiled serenely at her son, tears of joy shining in her eyes. Brian smiled back, thankful that he and his mother had found peace and had finally become the family he always hoped for. Brian knew the reason for that miraculous transformation was at the moment sitting on Joan’s lap.


The orchestra played a little bit of everything that Mozart had written. The Magic Flute excerpt was very popular. Bree thought her Unca Ted would really like that part. Eine Kleine Nachtmusik was Bree’s favorite as her hands moved to play along with Miss Cheryl who was in the spotlight on stage. As the concert was nearing its end, Bree and Ashley started to fade. Ashley leaned against her mother and Bree abandoned her chair for Justin’s lap. The final selection of the concert was Mozart’s unfinished Requiem Mass in D Minor. Mozart had died before it could be completed.


The concert ended with resounding applause. The members of the symphony were treated to several ovations as well as the conductor. The Kinney-Taylor family decided to allow the concert hall to empty out a little before leaving their box. Brian saw most of the family waving up at him before leaving. During intermission, the decision had been made to meet up at Emmett’s bistro for an after concert snack. Knowing Emmett, the snack would be more like a feast but that wasn’t the point. The family just wanted to celebrate this night together.


“Bri, you ready to get going? I think Bree’s about had it,” Justin said. He was cradling a sleepy child in his arms. Suzanne had already taken Ashley. They were staying at The Plaza, courtesy of one Brian Kinney. Lindsay had taken the girls down to the rest of the family.


“Yeah, I’m just going to get Joan,” Brian said as Justin started to help Bree with her coat.


Brian stood then looked over at his mother. Joan was still in her chair, her eyes were closed, her face at peace.


“Justin, take Bree to your mother and send up Ted,” Brian commanded.


“What’s wrong?” Justin whispered, understanding the stern expression on his spouse’s face. Justin followed Brian’s eyes as Brian glanced toward his mother. Justin’s blue eyes instantly grew wide. He nodded, gave Brian’s arm a squeeze then took their daughter down to find Jennifer and Ted.


When Brian was alone, he quickly went to the other box.


“Mom?” Brian called out knowing there would be no reply. He knelt in front of his mother.


“Oh Mom,” Brian sighed as he took a cool hand into his.


“I love you, Mom,” Brian whispered. For the first time in his life, Brian laid his head on his mother’s lap then cried.


-tbc-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1434