Wild Child by Thyme
Summary:

 

It's eight years after 513. Justin and Brian are not together, at least not yet. Gus has been in Toronto all this time. His life has not been good, and Brian has not seen him for several years.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Post-series
Genres: Could be Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: Yes Word count: 107073 Read: 125706 Published: Apr 26, 2019 Updated: Apr 26, 2019
Story Notes:

 

Many thanks to Sterling Dragonfly for her great beta work.

1. Chapter 1 by Thyme

2. Chapter 2 by Thyme

3. Chapter 3 by Thyme

4. Chapter 4 by Thyme

5. Chapter 5 by Thyme

6. Chapter 6 by Thyme

7. Chapter 7 by Thyme

8. Chapter 8 by Thyme

9. Chapter 9 by Thyme

10. Chapter 10 by Thyme

11. Chapter 11 by Thyme

12. Chapter 12 by Thyme

13. Chapter 13 by Thyme

14. Chapter 14 by Thyme

15. Chapter 15 by Thyme

16. Chapter 16 by Thyme

17. Chapter 17 by Thyme

18. Chapter 18 by Thyme

19. Chapter 19 by Thyme

20. Chapter 20 by Thyme

21. Chapter 21 by Thyme

22. Chapter 22 by Thyme

23. Chapter 23 by Thyme

24. Chapter 24 by Thyme

25. Chapter 25 by Thyme

26. Chapter 26 by Thyme

27. Chapter 27 by Thyme

28. Chapter 28 by Thyme

29. Chapter 29 by Thyme

30. Chapter 30 by Thyme

31. Chapter 31 by Thyme

32. Chapter 32 by Thyme

33. Chapter 33 by Thyme

Chapter 1 by Thyme




Wild Child


Chapter 1


Brian grabbed the blond hair and pulled back as he thrust forward. He was almost there as he leaned over the slim body that he was pounding into. With a bite to the shoulder and a roar of release he shot his load into the condom. He jerked forward a few more times before rolling away and flopping onto his back.


"That was great!"


"Yeah," Brian replied flatly before he looked over into the eager brown eyes that looked back at him.


"For an old guy you ain't half bad."


"For a young idiot, you ain't halfway intelligent. Get out!"


"What? What the fuck?"


"You heard me. Get the fuck out," Brian barked.


"Shit! They all said you were a fucking asshole."


"You should listen to your peers," Brian snarked.


"Fuck you!" the trick reacted as he zipped his jeans and grabbed his shirt.


"Close the door behind you."


"Goddam fucking bastard!"


Brian heard the door slam and wondered if it had come off its track. He should get up and lock it, but he didn't feel like moving. He reached for a cigarette and lit it. Lying on his back and staring at the ceiling, he blew lazy smoke circles watching them rise and swirl and then disappear.


He heaved a sigh and pushed himself off the bed. He made his way naked down to the bar cart and poured himself a hefty glass of Beam. The liquor bit at his throat and then spread heat through his gut. He carried his glass over to the entrance to the loft noting that the battered metal door hadn't fallen off its track. He locked it and carried his drink over to his new white sofa and sat down wearily. Was this the fifth or sixth version of a white sofa he had had at the loft? He shook his head at the thought.


He had picked up tonight's trick at Babylon and had decided he might be a worthy fuck. He should have tried him out in the backroom first. He was mediocre at best. Again Brian shook his head. All of them were mediocre these days. Everything was mediocre.


Brian took another slug of the Beam. He glanced at the clock with a shiver. It was after two. He really should get some sleep but he didn't feel sleepy. In fact he slept very little these days. He stood and went back for a refill on his Beam. He carried it up to the bedroom where he flopped down on the bed and threw the duvet over himself. He propped some pillows behind his back and sipped at his Beam.


It was going to be another long night by the looks of it. Brian finished his Beam, closed his eyes and tried to empty his mind. Suddenly there was Justin's face clearly in front of him. Justin was smiling one of his patented sunshine smiles. Brian grinned back. He could feel himself growing hard. Why couldn't that guy he had just fucked have the same effect on him? Why did they all pale in comparison?


Brian opened his eyes and glanced over at the clock. It was a little after three. He wondered if he had been dreaming, which would have meant that he was asleep or if he had merely conjured the image with his conscious mind. He reached under the duvet and started to stroke himself remembering that look on Justin's face. It didn't take long for him to get off. Justin always had that effect on him.


Grabbing some tissues from the nightstand he cleaned himself up. He flopped back against the pillows and shook his head. It was pretty pathetic to be jerking off when you were forty-two years old. He should never have gotten this old. He should have ended it ages ago. And he would have, except that he was such a coward.


He remembered the scarfing incident, all those years ago. He should have died that night. He would have died with a smile on his face and a boner in his hand. It would have been the perfect ending for Brian fucking Kinney. Except for Mikey. Fucking Mikey had saved him, had told him he would always be young and beautiful. Why couldn't fucking Michael Novotny mind his own fucking business?


And where was Mikey tonight when he fucking needed him? He was at home with his husband in fucking Buffalo playing sweet little Stepford Wives with the other fag couples they had met up there. Ben had been offered head of gay studies at a university in Buffalo about four years ago. So Michael and Ben had packed up and left. Their main reason, aside from the promotion for Ben, was that they would be closer to Toronto and therefore, closer to Jenny Rebecca. Michael had sold the comic book store in Pittsburgh making a nice profit, and had then opened one in Buffalo. It seemed there were enough comic book geeks up there to keep him in business. How the two men endured the fucking winters there was a whole other issue.


Brian picked up the cordless phone that lay beside his bed. His thumb played with the keypad. He could call Michael. He'd like to talk to him, but it was so late. He and Ben would be asleep and Ben certainly wouldn't approve of his timing. Brian could remember the good old days when he could call Michael any time of the day or night, and he always knew for certain that Michael would be there for him. Michael would be available to talk or to come over to do whatever Brian wanted, even if he had to kidnap Michael to do it.


Brian chuckled to himself. He remembered that underwear party where he had kidnapped Michael outside his store. He had led him to believe that they were going to Debbie's when he had actually been taking his best friend to the party. He had even bought new underwear for Michael. Michael had watched as Brian had played with that guy in the skimpy bikini. The lust in his eyes was evident, but Michael had refused to play. Instead he wanted to go home to Ben. That should have been Brian's first clue about how much everything had changed.


Change! He could fucking do without it!


Brian got up and threw on some jeans and a shirt. He grabbed his keys from the counter and headed out of the loft. A few minutes later he pulled up in front of Babylon. It was almost four a.m., the time the place would close. He got out of the car and walked to the entrance.


"Mr. Kinney," the security guy said.


"Ambrose," Brian nodded at the man as he passed by.


Entering the club Brian could hear the thumpa thumpa right away. The place wasn't packed anymore, since a lot of the crowd would have left to go fuck or sleep or eat. Brian made his way up to the office on the second floor. His manager, Dane, was still there counting some money.


"Good take tonight?" Brian asked as he slid into the chair next to the man.


"Yeah," Dane said with a frown. "What are you doing here at this time of night?"


"Don't you mean this time of the morning?" Brian asked tongue in cheek.


Dane chuckled. "I stand corrected, but you didn't answer my question. Checking up on me?"


"You never know," Brian replied ambiguously. Dane gave him a look but said nothing more. Brian knew that Dane was trustworthy. He had gone through a lot of managers before he found Dane. However, it didn't hurt to keep Dane on his toes. "Anybody left in the backroom?"


"I thought I saw you leave with somebody," Dane observed.


"I did. Is there anybody left in the backroom?" Brian repeated.


Dane raised an eyebrow. "There are a few guys, some of the regulars."


Brian made a face. "Is that all?"


"Why don't you go check it out? I can look after this."


"I know you can," Brian said. He squeezed Dane's shoulder as he stood up and made his way back down to the first floor. There were still some guys dancing, a few looking pretty spacey. The drug use at Babylon would never change.


The entry to the backroom was very familiar to Brian. He passed down the narrow hallway feeling the first smells of sex and men assault his senses. He breathed deeply. At the first corner he turned and glanced over seeing a familiar body, face pressed against the wall.


"Hey Todd, how's it going?"


"Good," Todd replied as he continued to get his ass plowed by the guy behind him.


Brian moved on looking at each pairing or group of men. He had had all of them. There was nothing to draw his attention … until…


Up ahead he saw a blond head. It looked familiar. Brian moved in that direction. As he drew closer he could see that the blond head belonged to a guy in his late twenties. He was leaning against the wall watching some of the nearby activities. He perked up when he saw Brian.


Brian leaned against the wall across the room from the blond. He locked eyes with the guy for a minute. The guy smiled back at him. Brian cocked his head and the guy moved towards him.


"Hey," the blond said as he drew near.


"Hey."


"Aren't you the owner of this place?" Brian nodded. "I've heard of you."


"I'm rather well known on Liberty Avenue," Brian smirked.


"I hear you're a great fuck."


Brian smirked some more. "Want to find out?"


The guy nodded and leaned into Brian for a kiss. Brian hesitated for a fraction of a second before capturing the man's lips with his own. They battled with tongues and lips and spit until they were both breathless. Brian had to admit that was one of the better kisses he had had in a long time.


"You're a good kisser, man," the blond declared.


"Yeah, you ready to take it up the ass?"


"So much for foreplay," the blond laughed. "I'm horny as hell and you're the best looking thing I've seen all night."


"Turn around and drop your pants," Brian ordered his eyes going dark with lust.


The blond obeyed as Brian freed his stiff member from the confines of his jeans. The kiss had got him ready for this. Brian hoped this blond would be better than the evening's earlier man of the blond persuasion.


The guy was looking over his shoulder as Brian suited up his dick. He liked what he saw. With a little smile he watched Brian pull out a tube of lube and slather it on his dick. Unceremoniously he squirted some up the trick's ass.


"Hey," the guy objected. "You could warn a guy. You been keeping that stuff in the freezer?"


Brian chuckled. This blond had a sense of humor. He liked that. As a result he shoved one finger up the guy's ass eliciting a grateful grunt. He finger fucked the guy a few times and then added another finger. That produced another grunt of satisfaction.


"Think you're ready for this?" Brian asked as he held his dick ready for insertion.


The blond looked over his shoulder and nodded. Brian rubbed the tip of his cock around the twitching pucker. He found the right spot and pressed in. The blond rose up on his toes and let out a groan. Brian stopped and gave the guy a chance to breathe and get used to his size.


"God, you're big," the blond said.


"Can you take it?"


The blond nodded giving Brian permission to proceed. He thrust forward getting another few inches in. The guy rested his head on the wall and panted, moaning slightly. Brian waited until his breathing normalized and then drove the rest of the way in.


"Fucking shit!" the guy gasped.


Brian began to thrust and after a minute or two he felt the blond bend forward giving him greater access. The guy met each thrust and seemed to want more. Brian smiled to himself. This was more like it, not like that useless piece of shit he had been with earlier.


"Oh God, yes!" the guy called out. "Harder, shit, harder, right there. Oh fuck!"


Brian drove home again and again. He could feel the prickling of impending orgasm and he reached in front of the guy and jacked him off. They both came with very satisfying orgasms.


Brian realized he was leaning against the trick who was pinned to the wall. He withdrew from the guy and shed the condom.


The guy turned around and leaned back against the wall. "That was great."


"Aren't you going to add 'for an old guy'?" Brian asked sarcastically.


"Hell no! I haven't had a fuck like that from anybody of any age in a long time."


"I was just thinking the same thing," Brian smirked. "Nice fucking you." He buttoned his jeans and made to move away.


"Hey," the blond said. "If you ever want to do that again, here's my number."


Brian was about to tell him that he never did repeats when the thought struck him that he had had a helluva time finding anyone one tenth as good as this guy. He reached for the card. He might decide to use it.


"My name's Greg, by the way."


"Brian."


"I know."


Brian smirked and turned to go. "Gentlemen, the club will be closing momentarily, so hurry up and come."


He walked away amidst a chorus of protests.


+++++


By the time Brian left Babylon, the sun was starting to peek over the rooftops. He decided to go to Kinnetik and take a shower there. He always kept a spare suit in the closet of his office in case he needed to change. He knew there was no hope of sleep and he might as well get some work done since he was up.


As he stripped to get in the shower at the office Brian felt the card that he had jammed in his jeans pocket. He pulled it out and read the front of it. It indicated that his most recent trick was one Gregory Fernley, an attorney. Brian smirked as he put the card back in the pocket of his jeans. This one was definitely a cut above the average in every way. He just might give the guy a call.


When the staff of Kinnetik started to arrive some time later, they all noticed that the boss was already behind his desk working away. Ted came in just before nine. He stepped into Brian's office and handed him the financial projections that he had been working on.


"These look good, Theodore."


"Thanks to those three multi-million dollar accounts you brought in last month Kinnetik's future looks rosy."


"Thank you, Mr. Chief Financial Officer," Brian said with his tongue in cheek.


"I appreciate the promotion, Bri," Ted smiled. He had just assumed that position a few weeks ago.


"I'm sure you do. In fact, I have a new idea. What do you think of Kinnetik expanding?"


"Expanding? You mean a new branch?" Brian nodded. "Where? When?"


"I don't know yet. I thought maybe you could look into that for me. See if it's financially feasible."


"Will do."


Brian nodded and went back to what he was working on as Ted left the office. He wondered if Cynthia was in yet. He wanted to run that idea past her. As junior partner in Kinnetik, he valued her input. She would run one of the branches if they decided to go with the expansion.


Brian had some meetings scheduled in the morning and a lunch meeting with a client. By the afternoon he was really starting to drag considering that he had had no sleep the night before.


In the middle of the afternoon his phone rang. With a sigh he picked it up.


"There's some woman on line one who insists on talking to you," his secretary said.


"Did she give her name?"


"No, she sounded kind of frantic and insisted you would take her call."


"Put her on," Brian said rubbing his eyes. He wondered if it was one of his new clients having second thoughts or Debbie or his fucking sister.


When they were connected, Brian said rather impatiently, "Brian Kinney,"


"Brian?" a hesitant female voice responded.


"Who is this?" Brian frowned. The voice sounded slightly familiar.


"It's Lindsay."


"Lindsay? What the fuck? Did something happen to Gus?"


"No, not exactly."


"Then what are you calling for?"


"Something is wrong."


"Will you fucking stop talking in riddles and tell me why you're calling, after … what is it … five years?" Brian said sarcastically. He was pissed.


"Brian, I need you to come to Toronto."


"And why the fuck would I do that after you so kindly shut me out of your lives?" Brian spat at her.


"I need you," Lindsay managed to get out as she tried to stifle a sob.


"Is Melanie dead?" Brian asked thinking that must be why Lindsay was so upset.


"Jesus, Brian! No, she's not. This is about Gus."


"I thought you said he was okay." Brian ran his hand through his hair.


"He's okay physically, but he needs his father."


"After five years he suddenly needs me? You've got to be fucking kidding me."


"Brian, I don't want to do this over the phone. Can you please come here?"


"Why don't you come to Pittsburgh?"


"I … I don't have the money," Lindsay admitted. "Please, Brian, just come as soon as you can. I'm begging you."


Brian could hear the desperation in Lindsay's voice. "Okay, I'll try to get a flight tonight, but this better be important."


"It is. Here's our address," Lindsay said as Brian wrote it on a piece of paper. "Thank you for doing this."


The line went dead before Brian could say anything more. He hung up the phone and leaned back in his chair. He wondered what the fuck was going on and what would prompt Lindsay to call him after all this time. She had sounded … worried and desperate.


With a sigh Brian buzzed his secretary. "Arlene, get me a ticket on a flight to Toronto tonight."


"Yes, sir. Return?"


"One way. I'll make arrangements when I'm ready to come back."


"Yes, sir."


"Oh, and Arlene, see if either Ted or Cynthia are available. If they are I need to see them right away."


"I'll check on that. Anything else?"


"No, that's all."


Brian sighed again. Arlene was extremely efficient and he could never fault her work, but he missed having Cynthia as his assistant. She could always read his mind about what he wanted or needed. They had made a great team, and still did, just in a different way.


A few minutes later Ted and Cynthia stood before him.


"What's up?" Cynthia asked.


"I'm going out of town for a few days."


"Oh?"


Brian remained silent. "Care to tell your lowly staff where you're going and why?" Ted asked.


"You're hardly my lowly staff. I expect you to run things while I'm gone. Make that 'run things … efficiently'," Brian added.


"Is this a business trip?" Cynthia asked. "A new secret client that you're cultivating?"


"It's personal."


Ted gave Cynthia a look.


"No, I am not going to the White Party or on a week long fuckfest. Suffice it to say, that I'll be back as soon as I can."


"Yes, Boss," Cynthia laughed. She had years of experience with this type of thing where Brian was concerned. She knew better than to ask what it was about. If Brian wanted them to know, he'd tell them. "The company will be here when you get back."


"I'm counting on that. Now, get back to work. I'll be leaving in a few minutes."

 

Cynthia and Ted made their way out of his office. Brian knew they would be speculating about where he was going. Maybe he should have told them, but he didn't really know what the fuck he was getting himself into. How could he explain to them? With a sigh and a yawn he cleared his desk. He needed to go home and pack.

Chapter 2 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 2


Brian tossed his clothes into his small suitcase. He didn't figure he'd need a suit but he folded one and added it to the pile. He had changed from the suit he wore at Kinnetik into jeans, t-shirt and a soft, lightweight shirt. That would be more comfortable on the plane. He opened his briefcase which he had tossed on the bed. He pulled out his jeans that he had worn to Babylon the night before. They were his favorites and he would have liked to wear them, but they were dirty. He was about to place them in the bag of laundry he was going to drop off down the street before he left, when he remembered something. He fished in the pockets until he found the card he had placed back in there.


"Gregory Fernley," Brian said thoughtfully. He flipped the card around in his fingers. "Why not?" he said to the empty loft.


Quickly he punched in the numbers before he lost his nerve. A male voice answered.


"Greg?" Brian asked.


"That would be me."


"It's Brian Kinney."


"Well, fuck me!"


"I already have," Brian chuckled.


"I never thought I'd hear from you … and certainly not so soon."


"Miracles do sometimes occur," Brian smirked.


"So what can I do for you? Please tell me that you want to get together again."


"I … I'd like that," Brian admitted.


"Tonight?" Greg said hopefully.


"Actually I'm on my way to the airport. I'm going to be out of town for a few days."


"I see."


"I just wanted to touch base."


"So give me a call when you get back."


"I will," Brian said and he meant it. "I wanted you to know that I'm still interested."


"So am I," Greg laughed. "Thanks for the heads up and I'll look for your call when you get back."


"Later," Brian said without thinking about the significance of that word.


"Later," Greg replied before he cut the connection.


"That wasn't so hard," Brian said with a smile. Once he got this Lindsay problem fixed, he would definitely hook up again with Mr. Greg Fernley.


+++++


Brian dozed on the short flight to Toronto. It was only a little over an hour and he was thankful for any rest he might get, having had no sleep the night before. He couldn't help but wonder what was going on with Gus. He had not liked the way Lindsay sounded on the phone. Something must be terribly wrong.


Shifting in his seat, Brian thought about the last time he had seen Gus. After the Munchers had moved to Toronto, Brian had made several trips up there to see his son, especially that first year. He had been determined that his son would know his father, that he would not be forgotten. Things had gone all right at the beginning. Melanie had found a job as a paralegal and was trying to follow the process to get papers to practise in Canada. Lindsay had found a job in an art gallery in downtown Toronto. It was basically a clerking job, nothing like the position she had held at Sidney Bloom. They had rented a house which took most of their paychecks to afford. Gus had started in a public school and had been fine in kindergarten.


The year he started first grade problems really came to the fore. He was being teased by the kids who found out that he had two mothers. Nothing seemed to be able to stop the teasing, and Gus was very sensitive to it. He spent a lot of time alone and seemed to have no friends. Brian had offered to pay for a private school, but Melanie would not hear of it. She wanted her son to toughen up and face the real world.


The last time Brian had seen Gus he was not quite seven years old. He was just finishing first grade and he made it very clear that he hated school. In fact when Brian arrived for a visit, he had asked to go home with his father. He said he was never going back to that school. Brian had tried to reason with him, but he was adamant.


Melanie had been furious. She accused Brian of planting ideas in Gus' head so that he could get the boy to go live with him. She said Brian was undermining everything they were trying to teach their son. No matter how much Brian protested, Melanie refused to believe that he was blameless in what was happening with Gus. That was when she had said it would be better for all of them if Brian didn't visit his son anymore. Melanie had no idea how much that hurt Brian. He had managed to conceal the hurt from her, but he had felt it with every fiber of his being.


Lindsay had backed Melanie in this. She had asked Brian to stay away, at least for a few months. She hoped when Gus started second grade he would be with a different group of kids and things would settle down. Reluctantly Brian had agreed. He heard a few times from Lindsay saying things were better. They never let him talk to Gus. Finally as Christmas approached that year, Brian had demanded to talk to his son. He had received monosyllabic answers from Gus during the brief conversation. Gus seemed distant and angry. Brian wondered what he had been told about Brian's lack of visits. That had been the last time he had heard from Gus.


Now here he was five years later on a plane to Toronto to see his son. If Gus had been angry and resentful before, Brian could only imagine how the boy of twelve would be when they met, that is, if Gus remembered him at all. Brian wondered what the hell Lindsay thought he was going to be able to do to help the son he barely knew.


"We'll be landing in Toronto shortly…" the flight attendant announced as they began preparations for landing.


Brian rubbed his tired eyes. He was not looking forward to what awaited him at number 673 Elm St. However, he had said he would come to Toronto and he would do his best to sort out whatever mess they had created.


The taxi pulled up to the old house that the Munchers had rented. It hadn't changed much since the last time he was there. It was still in need of a coat of paint for the trim. Brian paid the cab driver and pulled his suitcase out of the trunk. The taxi took off leaving him standing on the sidewalk. It was still light out on the warm summer night. He slowly walked up to the front door.


Brian rang the bell and waited. He could feel his heart pounding as he waited for someone to answer the door. Suddenly it opened.


"Brian," Lindsay gasped and almost fell into his arms. "I'm so glad you're here." She held on so tight Brian was having trouble breathing.


"What's going on?" Brian asked trying to extricate himself from her viselike hug.


"Come in and I'll make some tea."


"I didn't come all the way from Pittsburgh for fucking tea."


"Please, please, Brian, come in and give me a chance to explain."


Brian could see the tears in her eyes and his heart softened. "All right," he said stepping across the threshold. He wondered where Melanie and Gus were but he didn't want to ask until Lindsay told him what this was all about.


"You look great," Lindsay said. "You've hardly changed at all.


Brian made a face knowing that wasn't true, although he still had the slim figure and sexy presence that had always surrounded him. He couldn't say the same about Lindsay. She looked older and worn out. So he didn't say anything.


Lindsay led the way to the kitchen. Brian dropped his bag by the front door and followed. He noted the rather threadbare looking sweater Lindsay was wearing even though it was a warm evening. She looked thin and not her usual self. He wondered if she was ill.


"Are you all right, Lindsay?" Brian asked as she indicated that he should sit down at the kitchen table.


"I've been better."


"Are you sick?"


Lindsay looked at Brian as she set the kettle on the stove. Brian actually seemed to care. How could she have been so stupid all that time ago? "I'm not sick. I just have a lot on my mind."


"Are you going to tell me why you asked me to come here?"


She nodded her head but turned away to begin fixing the tea. Brian could feel the sadness that radiated from her. When she turned back her face seemed set, more resolute about what she wanted to say. "How is everything in Pittsburgh?" she asked out of the blue.


"Lindz, I didn't come here to make small talk."


"Indulge me, please. I want to know about the old gang."


Brian heaved a sigh. "Ted is Chief Financial Officer of Kinnetik," Brian began.


"You promoted him! That's wonderful. Has he found the right guy yet?"


Brian shook his head. "He's more hopeless at love than I am," Brian said before he could stop himself.


"Do you hear from Justin?" Lindsay asked looking sadly at Brian.


"Don't … I don't want to discuss that."


"So how's Emmett?" Lindsay asked effectively changing the touchy subject to a more neutral one.


"His business is doing really well."


"With a little help from you?" Lindsay asked with the first smile he had seen since he arrived. She poured them each a cup of tea.


Brian didn't answer that question. He added sugar to his tea and took a sip. "Not bad," he said although he wasn't very fond of tea.


"I've learned the proper way to make it … since we moved here."


Lindsay reached for the milk and Brian saw a large black bruise around her wrist. It looked like someone had grabbed her and squeezed very hard. Lindsay realized what Brian was looking at and quickly withdrew her arm pulling the sleeve of her sweater over the telltale mark.


"How did that happen?" Brian asked not prepared to let her cover it up.


"I fell the other day and hit it on a chair."


"When did you get so clumsy?" Brian asked not buying that story at all.


"I don't want to talk about it … yet, just like there are some topics you don't want to discuss."


Brian nodded, understanding what she meant, but he had to ask, "Did Melanie do that to you?" Brian continued to stare at her wrist.


"God, no!"


Lindsay's reaction told him that that was the truth. "Okay, then I'll leave it for now. Where is the old battleaxe anyway?"


Lindsay snickered in spite of herself. "You shouldn't call her that. I asked her to give us some time alone. She took JR for a walk. I think they were going to stop at the library."


"How very educated of her."


"We … we don't have a lot of money for movies or shopping."


"Are things really that bad?"


"If it wasn't for the money you send every month for Gus, we'd never make it."


"I had no idea…"


"We didn't want you to know."


"Why are you telling me now?"


"It's part of the reason I called you here."


"What are you talking about?"


"I want to show you something. Come with me."


They stood up and Brian followed Lindsay up the stairs. She pointed out her and Mel's bedroom, JR's room and then she came to the last door. "You've seen how we live. This is Gus' room." She opened the door.


Brian stepped inside half expecting to see Gus there. Instead he found a room full of toys and electronic gadgets. There was a new looking TV with an X-Box hooked up to it. The stack of games beside it had to be worth close to a thousand dollars. Brian moved some of the cases noting that they were the newest and best. There was a stereo system with another large pile of CD's beside it. On another shelf were DVDs of many familiar and recent movies.


"Where the fuck did all this crap come from?" Brian asked. If they were so hard up, how could Gus have all this?


Lindsay shrugged. "I have my suspicions, but I can't prove anything."


"What the fuck is going on? Where's Gus?"


"At this moment I truly don't know. He's out with his friends."


Brian took a moment to absorb what Lindsay had said. "So he's made some friends?"


Lindsay's face screwed up and she shook her head. "Yeah, I guess you could say he has."


"What is going on?" Brian asked in exasperation.


"He … Gus is totally out of control," Lindsay said her voice breaking.


"Out of control, but he's twelve years old!"


"I know how old he is! He's my son too, but he's got in with a bad crowd and we can't handle him anymore."


"Have you tried?" Brian asked half in anger and half in disbelief at her statement.


"Of course, we've fucking tried! But no matter what we do or threaten him with or … whatever, he does what he wants. He won't listen to us anymore. He ended the school year under suspension."


"Suspension? What for?"


"He was found carrying a switchblade at school. They have zero tolerance for weapons. He can't go back there next year. I … I don't know what we're going to do with him."


"Fuck, Lindsay! How long has this been going on? You led me to believe everything was all right, so I stayed away."


"You haven't exactly had the phone ringing off the hook with enquiries about how Gus was doing!" Lindsay accused him. Tears were running down her face.


"You're right, but I thought I was doing what you wanted." The pain in Brian's voice was very evident.


"I thought it was the right thing for a long time, but it's just got so much worse over the last couple of years. The kids Gus hangs around with … they're a bad lot."


"Can't you make him stop? Christ, you're the parent!"


"I know I'm the fucking parent, but you haven't seen Gus in a long time. To you he's still a little boy."


"He's only twelve."


"Going on twenty-one."


"I don't know how you could have let things get to this stage. Why didn't you call me before?"


"I thought we could handle it, but it all fell apart when Gus got suspended. He says he's not going back to school, and we can't make him."


"Of course you can make him," Brian stated.


"I'm not so sure."


"Lindsay, this is fucking unbelievable! If you need to get him some counseling or something, I'll pay for it."


"Your answer to everything is money, just like always." Her eyes told him that money wouldn't cut it this time.


Brian winced at the criticism because some part of him knew it was true. Money could solve a lot of things, but not usually the most important ones. "What the fuck do you want me to do?"


"I want you to take him."


"Take him? What's that supposed to mean?" Brian had a flash of Jennifer Taylor telling him the same thing many years ago.


"I want you to take him back to Pittsburgh with you. Maybe he can get a new start at a school there. He's failing all his subjects here. If you want to get him counseling, that might be a good idea."


"You want me to take him? What the fuck do I know about kids?"


"You were a teenage boy once."


"I was fucking poor at it back then. I can't look after a kid."


"Even when he's your own?"


"Goddamit, Lindsay, I can't believe you're asking me to do this."


"I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate," Lindsay said flatly. "Mel and I don't know what else to do."


"Mel is in favor of this?" Brian could hardly believe his ears. The situation must be dire for Melanie to trust her son in the care of Brian Kinney. "If you can't make Gus do anything, how are you going to get him to come with me, that is, if I say I'll take him?"


"The knife incident at school," Lindsay began. "Gus should have been charged, but I begged the principal to give us one more chance. I promised that I would find a different school for Gus, but I can't afford any of the schools that might help him."


"If things are so bad, why didn't you just come back to the Pitts? Melanie could have started practicing law again and Sidney would have taken you back."


Lindsay's sides shook with sobs that she was trying to control. "Times change, Brian. Life moves on," she managed to get out. "But Melanie's a proud woman."


"Fuck pride! This is nuts."


"Please, Brian, you have to take Gus. I don't want him to end up involved with drugs or gangs or … dead."


Brian ran his hands through his hair. Things were beginning to fall together in his head. "All these electronics? Is Gus selling drugs?"


"I don't know, but I think there's a good possibility that he is."


"I can't believe my fucking ears! This is … impossible."


"Not so impossible. Melanie and I have been living this nightmare for the last couple of years."


Brian shook his head. "I don't have a clue about kids. What makes you think it would do Gus any good to come to Pittsburgh with me? Maybe a military school would work," Brian suggested grasping at straws.


"He doesn't need a military school, he needs his father. You remember when he wanted to go live with you back in the first grade?" Brian nodded. "He's never forgiven us or you for not letting that happen. He has so much anger and resentment inside him. He needs to know his father, to know that you didn't disown him or abandon him."


"But I did," Brian said in a whisper.


"But only because we asked you to."


"That isn't going to matter to Gus."


"You can talk to him. You can show him that you love him. If something doesn't happen soon, Brian, we're going to lose him altogether."


"I just don't see how it could ever work…"


"You asked about the bruise on my wrist," Lindsay said holding out her arm so that Brian could see the full extent of the damage. "Gus did that when I tried to stop him from going out with his friends last night."


"Fuck!" Brian said shocked at this revelation.

 

"Mom, what the fuck are you doing in my room?" Gus yelled as he came down the hall. "And what the fuck is he doing here?"

Chapter 3 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 3


"Mom, what the fuck are you doing in my room?" Gus yelled as he came down the hall. "And what the fuck is he doing here?"


Gus had just crossed the threshold into his room. For the first time in many years he stood face to face with his father. Brian tried to smile but the look of hatred on Gus' face made him stop short. Was this really his son?


"I asked what you were doing in my room. You know I hate it when you invade my privacy," Gus said glaring at his mother.


"Aren't you going to say hello to your father, Gus?" Lindsay said wrapping her arms around her waist in what could only be described as a defensive manner.


Brian wondered for a fleeting moment if there were other bruises that he couldn't see. Could his son be hurting his mother, more than once? The idea didn't bear thinking, but Brian couldn't help wondering.


"I have no father," Gus stated. "Get out of my room … both of you!"


Brian couldn't believe the arrogance of this twelve year old boy, his son. "Gus, I know we haven't seen each other for a long time, but…"


"I'm not listening to anything you say. You have no rights where I'm concerned. You can't tell me what to do."


"I don't want to tell you what to do," Brian said. "I want to talk to you."


"Well, I don't want to talk to you!" Gus shouted.


"Gus, be reasonable," Brian tried again.


"I want you gone … back to wherever you came from. I'll be back later and you better not be here." Gus stormed from the room.


"Please," Lindsay called. "Gus, please."


"Don't beg him, Lindsay."


"Now you see what we're dealing with. He's totally out of control. There's no way to get him to change. I should never have asked you to come here. I'm so sorry," Lindsay cried as the tears began to flow in earnest.


Brian went over and held her frail body against his own while she cried it all out. "I had no idea what you were putting up with. How could Gus have become this animal?"


Lindsay let out a halting sob. "He's grown so tall, and he's strong."


"But doesn't he understand that violence is wrong?"


"We tried to instill that in him, but obviously we failed. We failed miserably," Lindsay said almost collapsing against Brian.


"Come on; you're going to lie down for a bit. I'll make you some tea."


Brian guided Lindsay into her bedroom and laid her down on the bed. He threw an afghan from the bottom of the bed across her body and went down to the kitchen to make some fresh tea, and to think about what he had just witnessed. The sight of Gus so grown and so angry and so hurtful had left him breathless. What the fuck was he supposed to do to fix this situation?


Having made some tea following what he had seen Lindsay do earlier, he carried it up to his son's mother. As he pushed the door open he saw that she was sleeping. He decided that she could use sleep more than his fucking tea. He was carrying the mug of tea back downstairs when he saw the front door open. It was Melanie and a little girl.


"Brian!" Melanie reacted. "I thought you'd be long gone by now."


"You can't get rid of me that easily."


"JR, this is Brian. He's Gus' father," Melanie said to her daughter.


"Are you going to take Gus away?" JR asked without an instant of hesitation.


"Why would you ask that?" Brian said with a frown.


"Because I don't like him."


"And why don't you like Gus?" Brian asked dreading the answer he felt would come.


"He's mean to me."


"Does he hurt you?" Brian asked gently.


JR nodded and looked at the floor. Brian had a sinking feeling deep inside. This was his son that Jenny Rebecca was talking about, a son that he didn't know at all.


"Honey, go upstairs and put your pajamas on. It's already past your bedtime," Melanie directed her daughter.


JR started up the stairs and then turned back. "Please take Gus with you, Mr. Brian," she said before she disappeared up the stairs.


"I'll be up in a few minutes to tuck you in," Mel said. "Did you make tea?" she asked Brian, seeing the cup in his hand.


"I made it for Lindsay but she's asleep."


"That's good. She needs the rest. Let's go in the kitchen and have some of your tea."


Melanie poured them each a cup of the tea Brian had made. "When did you learn to make tea?" she asked staring at Brian.


"About an hour ago when Lindsay made some. Look, Mel, let's not pussyfoot around this. What the fuck are we going to do about Gus?"


"I thought you'd fight us all the way on this," Mel said looking at him over the edge of her mug as she sipped the tea.


"Gus found us in his room a little while ago. He was like an animal, cursing and yelling at us. He finally left, telling me I better not be here when he got back. That was when Lindsay kind of fell apart. I put her to bed. I can't believe that person is my son."


"Shit! Gus was here?" Brian nodded. "I was kind of hoping Lindsay would work this all out with you before Gus knew you were here."


"And what? I'd grab him by the scruff of the neck and hold him hostage all the way back to Pittsburgh?"


"Something like that."


"Fuck, Melanie! I don't have a magic wand. He needs big time help."


"Have you tried to talk to him?" Mel asked ignoring that statement.


"He didn't give me a chance to say anything. He sure as fuck hates me though. That came across strong and clear."


"He hates me too. He hates Lindz and JR most of the time. He hates school. He hates his life. He hates every fucking thing."


"What happened, Mel?"


"It … it's hard to explain. It kind of happened gradually. We could see that things were not right. When … when we asked you to stay away, we thought that might help. That it might settle things down. And it seemed to … for a while. But it didn't really change anything. Gus just got quieter, more secretive. If we asked about anything he was doing, school or friends, he got silent and sullen. So we stopped asking. Somehow he has turned away from everything that we ever taught him. And then he found these new friends. At first we were happy about it, glad that he had friends. But then he started staying out past the time we told him to be home. He would defy us, so we bumped the time up thinking that would get him home on time, and we wouldn't have to fight about it. He just stayed out longer."


"What about all the electronics in his room? They must cost a fucking fortune."


"We think he's selling pot. He hangs out at a park a couple of blocks down the street. We've seen the kind of things that go on there. We've never been able to catch him, but he is getting money from somewhere."


"Fuck! My son the drug dealer!"


"Brian," Melanie said sadly, feeling the same pain Brian did at those words.


Brian shook his head. "I just don't get how this could have happened."


"We didn't get it either. At least not for a long time. We were fooling ourselves for so long," Melanie said with a little hitch to her voice. Brian could tell she was upset by this too. "We didn't want what we suspected to be true, so we tried to ignore all the signs, made excuses for Gus, made excuses for ourselves. And then when he got into real trouble it was too late. It may be too late altogether," she added with a sigh of despondency.


"Don't say that! This is our son, a human being. How can you write him off like that?"


"I … I'm not writing him off, Brian. I'm just at my wit's end about what to do with him. So is Lindsay. And I think that's the first time you've ever called Gus 'our son' when you were talking to me."


"Maybe that's a big part of this problem."


"What do you mean?"


"If we could have worked together instead of sniping as Michael calls it…" Brian let his words hang in the air.


"I should have known you'd blame this all on me," Melanie said angrily.


"I'm not. I did just as much sniping as you did."


"Thank you for that … at least."


"I don't know how the fuck we're going to deal with this, but I do know we'll have to have a united front if we're going to accomplish anything."


"I couldn't agree more," Melanie said sincerely.


"Did you ever think you'd hear yourself say that?" Brian chuckled.


Melanie had to laugh too. "No, asshole," she joked but Brian could hear affection not anger in her voice. That was a relief. Gus had enough anger for all of them.


"So what are we going to do about Gus?" Brian asked.


"Didn't Lindsay tell you that we want you to take him back to Pittsburgh?"


"She told me, but what the fuck am I supposed to do with him there? I don't know anything about kids."


Melanie sighed. "He needs a strong male influence."


"And that's supposed to be me? You've got to be kidding. You've always thought that I was the worst kind of influence."


"I know what I thought, but maybe I've … re-evaluated the situation."


"Or maybe you just want to get rid of the problem."


"Brutally honest as ever, I see," Mel said but she knew there was truth in Brian's words. "I'm going to be honest too. There is certainly an element of getting Gus out of this house to what we've asked you to do. Frankly, I'm worried about the safety of JR and Lindsay."


"I got the feeling that Gus has been pushing them around."


"He's been more than pushing."


"I saw the bruise on Lindsay's wrist."


"That's not the only one," Mel whispered.


"Fuck!" Brian's worst fears were true. "Let's say I am willing to take Gus to Pittsburgh, how are we going to get him on a plane?"


"I have a trump card."


"What's that?"


"When Gus was expelled from school…"


"I thought he was suspended."


"That was a deal with the principal so we could get him into another public school. Technically he should have been expelled."


"So you've been making deals all over the place to get him out of trouble." Brian shook his head. He couldn't believe that two intelligent women could be so stupid.


"I know it was wrong … now, but at the time…"


"Okay, okay," Brian said rubbing his temples. This whole situation was making his head throb. "What's this trump card?"


"If Gus won't go with you, I'll have him arrested."


"Arrested?"


Mel nodded. "We have the switchblade incident and I'm prepared to have the police go after him for selling drugs."


"You always were a heartless bitch."


"Thanks," Melanie said although the words hurt. "I'm only doing it for the good of my son. He goes with you or he goes to juvey."


"You actually think he'll choose me?"


"I'm pretty sure he will. He's only twelve and he has seen some of his older drug friends get put away. He doesn't want the same thing to happen to him."


"You're sure about that?"


"As sure as I can be. Nothing's absolute."


"You better be right."


"Then, you're going to go along with this?" Melanie said hopefully.


Brian nodded. He didn't know what the hell he was thinking, but he had to give it a try for Gus' sake. He didn't want to see his son in juvenile detention and that seemed to be where he was headed, if something drastic didn't happen.


"I … thank you, Brian. You don't know what this means to Lindz and me."


"I'm doing it for my son," Brian stated.


"I know … and that's the way it should be. But thank you anyway."


"When do you think Gus will come back?" Brian asked looking at the time.


"There's no telling. I should go tuck JR in."


"Yeah, you should. I should find a hotel, but I would like to be here when Gus comes back. I don't want him thinking he drove me away."


"That's probably a good idea. Listen, you might find him in the park down the street … if you want to look for him."


"Is there a hotel around here?"


"Not nearby. You could sleep on the couch if you want to be here for Gus."


"Thanks. Maybe I will," Brian said thoughtfully. "I'll take a walk down the street and see if there's any sign of him."


"Here's a key to the front door," Melanie said. "I'll probably be up, but sometimes I fall asleep in JR's bed. She feels safer with me there."


Brian winced … safe from Gus no doubt. He didn't want to believe any of this was true, but the proof was right in front of him. He took the key and headed out as Melanie went upstairs.


Walking along the street in the direction Melanie had indicated, Brian had time to think. He immediately started blaming himself. He should never have stayed away. Maybe he could have nipped some of this in the bud if he had been around to see what was happening. He could only imagine how Gus was feeling. Brian may have had a shitty childhood but at least his parents had left him to his own devices. He had never resorted to the things Gus was doing. He wondered if he would ever be able to connect with his son again.


He remembered the little boy sitting in the backseat of the car that last day in Pittsburgh. That had been the day when everything important had been ripped away from him. Gus had been taken to Toronto by his parents and Justin had headed for New York to make his mark on the art world. Nothing had been the same since.


To all outward appearances Brian fucking Kinney was still the same asshole he had always been. He danced at Babylon, he did recreational drugs with the best of them, he was the consummate businessman, and he still fucked in the backrooms. But what was that old ad campaign? "Smoking more and enjoying it less." That so described his life. He did all the old stuff and none of it gave him real enjoyment.


Sucking in a deep breath, Brian put those thoughts away as he approached the park. He could see some kids hanging around the playground equipment. Now that it was dark the little kids were gone and the big kids could sit on the slide or swings and gas with each other. Or sell drugs? Brian watched as money changed hands. He had just witnessed a drug deal, he was sure of it. At least it wasn't Gus selling … this time.


Brian approached the group of teenagers. Some were not even old enough to be classified as teenagers, he noted as he got closer. He wondered if their parents knew where they were. "Do any of you know Gus Marcus-Peterson?" Brian asked the group.


A cocky looking kid with dirty blond hair demanded, "Who wants to know?" He was ensconced at the end of the slide and was the one who had taken the money from a kid who had now disappeared.


"I'm his father."


A black kid standing over at the side snorted. "He has no father. He has two mothers."


"I'm his father," Brian repeated.


"Then you must be the fag that abandoned him," the first kid said.


Brian shuddered internally. Obviously that was what Gus had told them. "I'm the fag and I'm his father and I didn't abandon him."


"What would you call it?" the black kid wanted to know. "Gus hasn't seen you in years."


"That may be true, but I did not abandon my son." Brian wondered why he was trying to defend himself to these kids. Maybe it was because he would have to make the same arguments to Gus once he found him.


"Gus isn't here, as you can clearly see," the first kid pointed out.


"Do you know where I might find him?"


"He's somewhere in the neighborhood. He won't be found unless he wants to be."


"Thanks for your help," Brian said sarcastically as he turned away.


"Gus doesn't want anything to do with you, you know," the black kid had to add.


Brian turned around to make some kind of sarcastic retort. He knew suddenly that it would be useless, so he simply walked away. Just like he had walked away from Gus all those years ago, he was thinking to himself, as he headed back towards the Munchers' house. This was not going well at all.


Brian let himself into the house using the key that Melanie had given him. He quietly made his way upstairs and checked that Lindsay was still sleeping. She was.


He saw that the door to JR's room was open a crack and he peeked inside seeing Melanie asleep curled up against her daughter on the narrow single bed.


He left the door open a crack as he had found it, and made his way across to Gus' room. He looked around the room hoping for some clue in there to jump out at him. He had to start to understand what was going on with Gus. He had to figure out how to talk to his son. Somehow he had to get through to him.


He sat down on the side of the bed and saw that the controls for the X-Box were on the nightstand. He picked them up and pushed play wondering what game Gus had been playing. It was "Grand Theft Auto". Gus had already worked his way through a lot of it. He must be pretty good at the game. Brian started to play where Gus had left off. He quickly got caught. He restarted the game and tried again. He played over and over again wondering if this game was prophetic of what the future held for Gus.

 

Some time later he fell asleep exhausted from the sleepless night he had spent in Pittsburgh, the sudden trip to Toronto and all the disturbing things he had found out about his son.

Chapter 4 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 4


Gus let himself into the house. It was quiet and the lights were off, so his father must have gone away. He was glad of that. He didn't want to face the man. He couldn't believe that Brian Kinney had been standing in his bedroom. How could his mothers have brought that fag here after all these years?


Quietly Gus made his way upstairs. He didn't want a fight. He was tired and wanted to go to bed. It was after midnight according to his watch. Gus saw that the door to his bedroom stood open. They were going to pay for that. He had told his mothers thousands of times that his room was off limits. They should not have been inside there. Fuck them!


As quietly as he could Gus closed his bedroom door behind him. He was about to throw himself onto the bed when he realized someone was already lying there. He looked more closely in the dim light from his TV. Fuck! His father was sleeping in his bed holding the controls to his damn X-Box.


Gus was about to raise a fuss and tell his fucking father to get the hell out of his room when he thought better of it. He knew there would be a big fight if he did that, and he didn't feel like fighting at the moment. He stood beside the bed studying his father as he slept. In spite of the negative feelings he had towards the man Gus could see the similarity in their appearances. They had the same nose and eyes, as he had seen earlier. Their hair was a similar color. He wondered if his father got the same kind of bed head that he did. He hoped so.


Carefully he lifted the controls to his X-Box out of his father's hands. He set them on the nightstand. Looking around he decided he didn't want to leave his room. He pulled the bedspread out from under his father's feet and gently spread it across the man. It was summer and covers weren't really needed but there was a breeze blowing in the window. He went to his cupboard and pulled out the winter duvet. He folded it in half and laid it on the floor beside the bed. He grabbed the extra pillow off the bed beside his father and laid down on top of the duvet. In a few minutes he was asleep. He had every intention of being up and gone before anybody else in the house woke up.


Brian turned quietly and looked over the side of the bed. He watched Gus sleeping down on the floor. In his sleep Gus reminded him of the little boy he knew and loved. Brian had been awake since Gus had entered the room. He was always a light sleeper and he wanted to see what Gus was going to do after finding his father asleep in his bed. He had been relieved that it wasn't a switchblade to the heart, because at that point it wouldn't have surprised him if that was what Gus did. Gus gently covering him up had been a pleasant surprise.


Rolling onto his back Brian stared at the ceiling. He knew if he had been awake, or rather if Gus had known he was awake, there would have been an instant fight. He wondered how he could communicate with Gus on this kindly level when one of them wasn't comatose. He wasn't sure that was possible.


Brian turned and looked down at his son again. He looked so peaceful. Brian's heart went out to him. He wanted to fix all the problems his son was dealing with, but he didn't know how the fuck to do that. He stared at Gus for a long time watching the boy sleep.


"Night, Sonny boy," Brian said as he turned away and finally fell asleep again.


+++++


Gus rolled over and felt his hand hit the hard floor. He gave a little moan followed by a yawn as he began to wake up. For a moment he wondered where the fuck he was. Then he remembered that he was sleeping on the floor and that he was going to escape before his father woke up. He turned onto his back and looked up. Hazel eyes that matched his own stared back at him.


"Did you sleep well, Sonny Boy?" Brian asked with his patented smirk.


"Don't call me that," Gus ordered.


"Why not? I used to call you that all the time when you were little."


"I haven't been little for a long time."


"True," Brian replied. "I'm surprised you managed to stay in the same room with me all night."


"Well, I can rectify that immediately."


"Rectify? Where did you find that word when you're flunking all your subjects?"


"I … I know how to read," Gus said defensively.


"I used to love to read," Brian said looking thoughtful as he remembered his own childhood. "Reading is a great escape from the world we have to live in."


"How … how do you know that?" Gus asked as Brian had just voiced his own sentiments about reading.


"I lived in a less than ideal family," Brian admitted as he swung his feet over the side of the bed and sat up to look at Gus sitting cross-legged on the duvet on the floor.


"Just like mine."


Brian snorted. "You have no idea."


Gus frowned. He wanted to know what his father meant, but he was afraid to ask. "I better get going," Gus said.


"Where are you going?"


"Out."


"Out where?"


"It's none of your business."


"I came here to see you, Gus. Do you think you could stay and talk to me for a while?"


"No."


"Gus…"


"We have nothing to talk about. Go back where you came from."


"I'm not going anywhere without you."


"What … what does that mean?"


"Stay and I'll explain."


"No."


"I know you hate me, and you have every right…"


"You're fucking right about that!"


"But explain to me why, if you hate me so much, you took the time to cover me up last night."


"You … you were awake?"


Brian nodded. "I'm here to help you, Gus."


"I don't need your help. I don't need anybody's help."


"Your mothers seem to think you do."


"What the fuck do they know about anything?"


"I'd say they know quite a bit," Brian said. Gus glared at him. Brian decided it was time to get it all out in the open. "Your mothers have asked me to take you back to Pittsburgh with me."


"Fuck them! I'm not going anywhere."


"I think you might decide otherwise."


"Why would I do that?"


"There's something about a switchblade and an expulsion and possible police charges."


Gus snorted. Brian almost laughed out loud. The kid sounded so much like him. But Brian knew false bravado when he heard it. It was time to call Gus on it. "You think that's a bluff? Melanie tells me that she has been in contact with the principal and the police. They are willing to press charges if you make them."


Brian saw the color drain from Gus' face. "They … they wouldn't," he stammered.


"I believe they will."


Gus stood up. "You all hate me and I hate you." He started towards the door. Brian was just as quick and blocked his way.


"We need to sort things out, Gus," Brian said gently. "You need to stay and talk. I think you'll see the wisdom of coming to Pittsburgh."


"Fuck you! Fuck all of you!" Gus screamed. He drew his arm back and aimed a punch at Brian's stomach. Brian caught Gus' arm before the blow could connect. He grabbed the arm and twisted it behind Gus' back. "None of that, Sonny Boy," Brian whispered in Gus' ear.


"Let me go. You're hurting me." Gus struggled to no avail. Brian had a viselike grip on his wrist.


"If you stop struggling it won't hurt as much."


"I'll report you for child abuse."


"Go right ahead. I've been down that road before."


"You have?"


"I have. Ask your cousin."


"What cousin?"


"See, there's lots of things in Pittsburgh that you don't know about." However, Gus' demon cousins weren't one of the things that Brian really wanted Gus to get acquainted with. Gus had calmed down a bit. Brian let go of Gus' arm but grabbed the boy from behind wrapping his long arms around his son. The hold effectively pinned Gus against him and prevented the boy from using his arms to hit. "Can we talk sensibly without this violence?" Brian felt Gus go limp and he relaxed his hold thinking maybe he was getting somewhere with the boy.


"I … I guess we could talk," Gus said meekly.


Brian began to relax his hold when he felt Gus push at his hands and break free. Gus made it as far as the door to the bedroom. He grabbed the knob and turned it yanking it open, or so he had thought. He felt the door hit something and looked down to see Brian's boot clad foot braced against the bottom of the door.


"Fuck!" Gus reacted. He should have removed Brian's boots when he had covered him up last night.


"Is everything all right in there?" Lindsay's worried voice asked.


"Go make some breakfast," Brian ordered. "We'll be down soon."


"Mom, he won't let me out," Gus wailed. "Mom, please, make him let me go."


"Gus…" Lindsay said uncertainly.


"Go downstairs, Lindsay, and let me handle this."


"Mom!" Gus called, but both he and Brian could hear her footsteps going down the stairs.


"It looks like it's just you and me."


"Why did you come here? What do you want?" Gus asked his voice breaking slightly.


"I came here because I love you and you need help. I told you what we're going to do."


"I don't want to go with you. I want to stay here."


"You gave up the right to stay here when you started abusing your mother and your sister."


"I … I didn't…"


"Don't fucking lie to me!" Brian shouted. "I've seen the proof."


"Dad," Gus said softly, deciding to use another ploy. "I can understand why my moms might have called you, but I promise to clean up my act. I'll behave better. Just give me another chance." He looked up at Brian from under eyelids wet with tears.


"Oh, you're good," Brian grinned. "If I didn't know what a pile of horse manure that was, I might believe you."


"I mean it. I promise," Gus tried again.


"It's too late for promises. How many times have you told your mothers the same thing you're telling me now? Don't bother answering that because it would be another lie. They've lost count how many times you've promised to be good."


"But I mean it this time," Gus tried to convince his father. "Really I do."


"I'd like to believe you, Sonny Boy, but I guess I must be from Missouri. You'll have to show me."


"Leave me here and I'll show you," Gus said hopefully.


Brian shook his head. "You really think all adults are idiots, don't you?"


"They are! You are!" Gus shouted.


"Now there's the truth. Much better, Sonny Boy."


"Stop calling me that. Fuck you! I'm not going anywhere." Gus crossed his arms on his chest and glared at Brian. He looked like a petulant Mikey.


"Good. Stay here and start packing. I'm going down for breakfast. And don't try to sneak out. I'll be watching."


"Fuck off!" Gus muttered as Brian stepped out of the room and closed the door. Gus threw himself onto the bed and beat the mattress with his fists. He didn't know what he was going to do, but he wasn't going to go to fucking Pittsburgh with his fucking father.


Brian shut the door to the bedroom behind him and then leaned back against it. His hand on the doorknob was shaking and his knees felt weak. He took a deep breath. He had come very close to punching his own son when the kid had swung at him. He hated physical violence but the boy seemed to know how to bring that out in people. He started down the stairs hoping there was some coffee to help calm his nerves. He could have used a large shot of Beam but he didn't think he'd be having that any time soon.


"So how did that go?" Melanie asked as he came into the kitchen.


"Coffee," Brian ordered and Lindsay handed him the mug she had just filled. He scooped in some sugar and stirred. "I'm sure you heard most of it."


"We did," Lindsay admitted.


"We knew it wouldn't be easy," Melanie added.


"Are you taking Gus away, Mr. Brian?" JR asked as she munched on a piece of toast.


"Looks that way, little lady."


"Good."


Brian looked at Lindsay who merely shrugged. Brian couldn't help but wonder what the future held for the little girl without the presence of her brother.


"I need to stay near the bottom of the stairs so that Gus doesn't escape," Brian said.


"Go sit on the couch. I'll bring you some toast," Lindsay said.


Brian sat wearily on the couch in the living room nursing his coffee. The layout of this house was a lot like the one the Munchers had had in Pittsburgh. The confrontation with Gus had taken a lot out of Brian, but he couldn't let Gus know that. He looked at the stairs and saw a shadow. "You packed yet?" he demanded. The shadow disappeared.


"Here's your toast," Lindsay said handing him a slice on a plate. There was very little butter on it. "I hope it's all right."


"Toast is the least of my worries," Brian said taking a bite of the warm bread.


"Do you think you can handle him?"


"I don't fucking know, Lindsay, but I'm going to try."


"I know you'll do your best."


"Maybe we should get him down here and explain exactly what's going to happen," Brian suggested. "You and Melanie have to back me on whatever I say."


"Okay," Lindsay said slowly.


"I mean it. Don't give in to him."


"I won't."


"Can Mel send Jenny to the neighbor's or something? I don't think she should hear what's coming."


"You're right. I'll see what we can arrange."


"Oh, and Lindsay, I may need some papers giving me the right to take Gus back to the States."


"Melanie has already drawn those up … just in case you said you would take him."


"That's good," Brian said wearily. He sipped his coffee as Lindsay disappeared into the kitchen.


After a few minutes Lindsay reappeared and said JR had gone next door. Melanie was making some toast for Gus. Brian called the boy downstairs. After a long pause, Gus appeared. He looked at the front door and Brian knew he was going to bolt.


"Don't even think about it," Brian warned. "My legs are still longer than yours."


"Not for much longer," Gus stated as he sank into a chair opposite Brian.


Melanie came in from the kitchen carrying a glass of orange juice and a plate of toast. She handed them to Gus who accepted them without comment. He started eating the toast and downed about half the glass of juice.


"Gus," Brian said, "I'm going to call the airline and get us tickets on an afternoon flight to Pittsburgh. Are you packed?"


"No."


"I told you to start packing."


"I'm not going with you."


"Melanie, have you got the number of your police contact?"


"Yes, it's right here," Melanie replied fishing a piece of paper out of her pocket.


"You won't use it," Gus said confidently, or at least trying to exude a feeling of confidence.


"Use it," Brian ordered.


Without a word Melanie went to the phone, picked it up and dialed. She asked for Sergeant Hickox. Gus watched. They all listened to her side of the conversation. "So you can send a squad car over at your earliest convenience. We'll have him ready for you," she said.


"No," Gus called out. "I'll go to Pittsburgh. Don't send me to the police."


"Gus says he'll go with his father," Melanie said into the phone. "Yes, if he starts to refuse I'll call you back. Thank you, Sergeant." She hung up the phone. "Go get packed, Gus. Brian, you can call the airline now."


Brian pulled out his cell phone and hit the number for Liberty Air. Melanie stared at Gus willing him to go upstairs. Lindsay remained silent holding her stomach.


"Mom?" Gus said looking pleadingly at Lindsay.


"Go and pack, Gus," Lindsay repeated. It took every ounce of strength she had to say those words. All she wanted to do was take him in her arms and keep him safe. But the time for doing that had long passed so she remained silent and still.


"Mom?" Gus repeated in a strangled voice. When Lindsay did not respond he ran up the stairs to his room.


"It's for the best, Lindz," Melanie said rubbing Lindsay's arm.


"I know, but that doesn't make it hurt any less."


"You're lucky this Sergeant Hickox is so available," Brian observed.


"Actually she's a friend," Melanie said keeping her voice low. "I met her through some paralegal work. She told me we could use her name to get Gus to cooperate. She was even prepared to arrive in a squad car if we needed her to do that."


Brian snorted. "Ever the tricky one, Mel."


"I do what I have to do."


"I guess I better go see if Gus is packing," Brian said standing up and stretching his back. He started up the stairs. He could hear some things being thrown around in Gus' room. He yanked open the door. Gus was throwing clothes and CD's and shoes all over the place. "I see you're making very careful selections," Brian smirked.


"I don't want any of this shit," Gus yelled.


"Good, then we won't have to worry about a suitcase for you."


"What does that mean?"


"If you don't want any of your things, that's fine. You can do without."


"There are some things I want," Gus said rethinking his position.


"You get one suitcase. And none of this shit," Brian said pointing to the X-Box and games.


"But that's what I want."


"Tough shit! I'd suggest you pack some clothes and a few CD's. That should suffice."


"Suffice! Who the fuck do you think you are?"


"I know I'm your father and from this moment on, I'm your guardian. Now get ready. We have a flight at two. We'll need to leave here at eleven-thirty."


Gus glared at his father but said nothing. He watched Brian walk out of his room. Brian went downstairs. Melanie and Lindsay were still in the living room.


"I want to take a shower if that's all right," Brian said.


"Sure," Mel said. Lindsay just looked shell-shocked.


"Can you two manage Gus if he comes downstairs while I'm in the shower?"


Melanie nodded. Brian picked up his suitcase and carried it up the stairs.


"Use our room," Mel told him.


When Brian came down the stairs about twenty minutes later, he felt refreshed and somewhat better having showered and changed his clothes. He felt better until he saw what was going on on the couch. Gus was curled up in Lindsay's arms. He appeared to be crying and so was she. He stopped on the stairs and listened.


"I'm sorry, Mommy," Gus was saying. "I don't want to leave you."


"I don't want you to go either."


"Then tell him to go away. Tell him I'm staying here. I promise to be good."


"You are a good boy, Gus, deep down inside."


"But I'll be good every day. I'm sorry I hurt your wrist."


"It's all right, Gus," Lindsay sighed.


"No," Brian said refusing to listen to any more. "It's not all right, Gus. You should apologize to your mother, but that apology should be because you truly are sorry, not so you can try to get her on your side."


"Please, Mommy, don't make me go with him."


"I'm sorry too, Gus, but you have to go with your father." Lindsay held her son tight but she did not give in to him. Brian breathed a sigh of relief. If Lindsay had caved all would have been lost. "Go have a shower and get your things together."


Gus stood up and glared down at his mother. Then he turned his glare on Brian. "I may have to go with you, but you're all going to be sorry. I'm going to make you all so sorry for doing this to me." Gus ran up the stairs.


"Well, that was special," Brian said shuddering at how much that had sounded like his nephew before Brian had been charged with child molestation. "What is it with twelve year olds?"


"Don't make jokes," Lindsay said wiping at her tears.


"I know this is hard. I'm just getting through it the best way I know how."


"And so am I," Lindsay replied as she brushed past Brian and disappeared into the kitchen.


Some time later, Brian had his suitcase repacked and Gus had his loaded to the gills. The two cases sat beside the front door as the family waited for the cab they had ordered to take Brian and his son to the airport. Brian had spent quite a bit of time on his cell phone in the living room while Lindsay and Melanie were in the kitchen. From time to time, Brian could hear their raised voices. He knew that Melanie was encouraging Lindsay to stick with the plan and he hoped she would.


Finally the cab arrived and Brian carried the two suitcases out while Gus said goodbye to his mothers. JR was still at the neighbor's. Melanie thought that was the best place for her.


Brian came back to the house. "Let's go, Gus."


"We'll miss you," Lindsay said.


"Then don't send me away," Gus cried.


Lindsay merely shook her head and held onto Melanie's arm. Gus gave them a tearful last look and ran down to get into the cab. For a second, Brian thought his son might run away down the street, but the boy got into the cab instead.


"I suggest you both seriously consider moving back to Pittsburgh. I think Gus will need all of us … eventually. I'll keep you posted."

 

Brian turned and walked out to the cab. He got in and the cab pulled away. All their lives were about to change.

Chapter 5 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 5


Brian and Gus sat in the first class cabin of the jet. They had just taken off from Toronto. Brian was relieved that Gus had not made a major scene at the airport. Brian had not wanted to have the authorities questioning his right to take Gus out of the country, even if he did have the papers to prove that he was allowed to do that. Gus was silent and withdrawn. Brian felt like the boy was plotting something while the flight went on.


After a few minutes Brian decided to try to initiate a conversation. "How did things get so bad, Gus?"


"Bad?"


"Yes, bad."


"Things were fine until you came along," Gus stated.


"I know that's not true and so do you. You were flunking every subject in school."


"So?"


"How do you flunk Phys. Ed.?"


"Skipping class helps," Gus said with a wry smile.


"I see. Is that what happened in your other subjects too?"


"Didn't they tell you that I'm stupid? I can't fucking do anything right."


"No son of mine is stupid," Brian declared as he locked eyes with Gus. For a split second, he felt a connection with the boy, his son. It was like they both understood the truth of Brian's statement, but then the moment passed.


"I guess you'll find out that that's not true," Gus said defiantly.


"I know it's true. Can't you use this opportunity as a fresh start? Maybe together we can make things better."


Gus gave the Kinney snort once again. "Nothing's going to be different. I'll still be…" Gus hesitated. He didn't want to reveal too much. He didn't want to show weakness to his father.


"You'll still be … what?"


"I'll still be the stupid fucking son of two lesbians and a fag," Gus said cruelly.


"Is that what you blame your problems on?"


"I told you I don't have any problems. It's you and my fucking mothers that have the problem. I was doing fine."


"I didn't realize you were so delusional," Brian sighed. He was getting nowhere fast.


"I'm not delusional," Gus declared. "If anybody is delusional, it's you, thinking you can fix me."


"Yeah, Heaven forbid I should want my son to be happy and have a good life," Brian half mumbled to himself.


Gus looked at his father. "Is that really what you want?"


Brian was startled by the question. "Of course, every parent wants that for their child. Well, almost all parents anyway," Brian added thinking of his own mother.


"Yeah, except for my mothers," Gus said thinking his father had finally got a clue.


"I didn't mean your mothers when I said that. They want the best for you."


The Kinney snort told Brian that Gus didn't believe any of that. "Sure, that's why they took me away from the place I liked, away from you, and then you stopped coming to see me at all."


The pain in Gus' voice was very clear to Brian. He was about to say that Gus' mothers had asked him to stay away, when he realized that such an admission would alienate Gus even more from the two women. "I'm sorry that you didn't like your life in Canada. They never intended for it to turn out that way."


"But it did. And I survived anyway."


"Yes, and now we can start over," Brian said reaching down and squeezing Gus' leg. He half expected Gus to knock his hand away but the boy merely looked down at where Brian was touching him and didn't say or do anything. Brian rubbed Gus' leg and then drew his hand back.


"I could have you charged with molesting me for doing that, you know," Gus said after a minute.


"Yeah, I suppose you could, but you might have trouble proving it when that stewardess has been watching us the whole time."


Gus looked up and saw one of the stewardesses staring at Brian. She winked at Brian and Gus. "She fucking wants you … and you're a fag!"


Brian chuckled. "It's a gift and a curse," he laughed.


"But if you're gay, why is she interested?" Gus asked puzzled.


"She doesn't know I'm gay."


"Why not?"


"I don't think I give off a gay vibe."


Gus studied his father for a moment. "You're right," he said with a frown. "You know when you came to the park last night; I was hiding behind a tree not far away."


"I suspected you were around somewhere."


"You did?" Gus asked surprised, but beginning to realize that his father was no dummy. "After you left, the guys were sort of impressed by you. They said they would have never guessed you were a fag, and they were surprised that you admitted it so quickly."


"I've never seen the value in hiding what I am. People either accept me or they can fuck off."


"And mostly they accept you?" It was a question.


"Yeah."


"I wish people accepted me like that," Gus said before he realized how weak that made him sound.


"Maybe they don't accept you readily because you're not honest about who you are. Are you ashamed of having a fag and a lesbian for parents?"


"Yes, no, sometimes I am. I don't like getting teased."


"None of us like being teased," Brian said. "I find if I call people on their bullshit, they back right down."


"Maybe for you…"


"I bet they would for you too."


"You don't know what it was like," Gus said sadly.


"Why don't you tell me?"


"I…" Gus hesitated. He had already revealed too much, but it felt kind of good to talk about it. "It's none of your business," Gus replied deciding there were some things he'd just keep to himself.


Brian sighed. He had almost got somewhere with his son, and then Gus had shut down. They rode the rest of the flight in silence.


The cab dropped them off at the loft. Gus looked at the building as they went up the steps. "I sort of remember this place," he said slowly.


"You visited me here quite a few times," Brian replied. "It's not really made for two but the other arrangements won't be ready until tomorrow."


"Other arrangements?"


"I'll show you when the time is right."


They lugged their suitcases over to the elevator. Brian let Gus struggle with his own much bigger one thinking that a little effort was good for the boy. When the elevator stopped at the top floor Brian got out and unlocked the loft door. He pulled the door back and punched in the code for the alarm system. Gus followed him in looking around while lugging his suitcase.


"Where should I put this?" Gus asked.


"I'm afraid you're going to have to sleep on the sofa," Brian said gently.


"You mean I don't even get a fucking room?"


"You can see that there is only one bedroom."


"You brought me all the way here and I don't even get a fucking bed?"


"It's just temporary," Brian tried to explain.


"Fuck you!" Gus said dropping his suitcase and flopping down on the sofa.


"I'm making arrangements for us to live somewhere else, but the place isn't ready yet."


"Will I get my own room?" Gus asked.


Brian nodded and he saw Gus relax a little bit. "However, I reserve the right to come into your room. None of this 'out of bounds' shit."


"Don't I get any privacy?"


"When you show me that you've earned that right, by staying out of trouble."


Gus scowled but he didn't argue.


"If you put your suitcase over there, we'll get you set up. You know," Brian said thoughtfully, "instead of the sofa you might like the futon."


"I don't see a futon."


"Come with me."


Gus followed his father out onto the landing and past the elevator. There was a door there and Brian took out a key.


"This is my storage unit," Brian explained. He opened the door and Gus followed his father into the small room. There were lots of boxes stacked neatly.


"You're such a neat freak," Gus said.


"I guess I am rather anal, but I like things in their place."


"So do I," Gus admitted.


Brian remembered Gus' room which was cluttered but had all his games and CD's neatly arranged in piles and on shelves. "That's another thing we have in common."


"What else do we have in common?" Gus asked.


"You mean besides reading and our eyes and this schnozz," Brian chuckled.


"Yeah," Gus laughed. "I wondered if you had bad bed head like I get."


"Wait till tomorrow morning," Brian laughed. "You'll have your answer." It was good to hear Gus laugh, even if it was at him. "Ah, here it is." Brian pulled out the old futon that he and Justin had used so many times. He had had it cleaned after … Justin went away. And then he couldn't stand to look at it anymore. "Grab the end," he told Gus.


The two of them carried the futon cushion back to the loft and spread it out in the area in front of the plasma TV."


"Great," Gus said. "At least I'll be able to watch TV all night."


"The TV goes off when you go to bed."


"And what time would that be?" Gus asked.


"What time was your curfew in Toronto?"


"I didn't have one."


"You did, but you never kept it."


"So?"


"That's not happening here."


"What … are you going to make me go to bed at eight o'clock like Jenny Rebecca?"


"What time do you think is reasonable?"


"One a.m."


"I don't think so, Sonny Boy." Brian watched Gus wince as he used that name for his son. He would have to find out why Gus reacted that way.


"Then how about midnight?"


"Eleven … since it's summer."


"Okay," Gus said. "I guess I can do that, but you'll have to do the same."


"What do you mean?" Brian asked.


"This place is so open. If I go to bed, you will have to too," Gus grinned.


"Fuck!" Brian reacted. He hadn't thought of that. "You got me there, Sonny Boy."


This time Gus didn't wince at the name. Instead he laughed. "Want to make it midnight?"


"I might have to give in on that one," Brian laughed ruffling Gus' hair.


Gus froze at Brian's touch. He looked up at his father not knowing how to react. Brian felt suddenly uncomfortable under his son's gaze.


"Come up here and we'll get you some sheets," he said going up the steps to the bedroom.


Gus followed him slowly. "I … I sort of remember sitting on the floor out there with you and watching TV," Gus said softly. "I remember this bed too."


"You do?"


"I thought it was pretty cool … up on a pedestal like that."


"I used to think it was pretty cool too," Brian admitted.


"But you don't anymore?"


"Let's just say that it's lost some of its luster."


Brian pulled out some sheets and a pillow case. He grabbed one of the pillows off his bed and they carried the linen down to the futon. Together they made up Gus' makeshift bed.


"Bring your suitcase over and we'll get out whatever you need," Brian said.


"I'm not going to bed at five-thirty in the afternoon," Gus protested.


Brian laughed. "I'm not asking you to. I just thought we'd get everything ready and organized. You know."


"Yeah, anal," Gus said shaking his head.


"That's me," Brian chuckled and that earned him a small smile from his son. Gus' stomach took that moment to rumble. Brian hadn't heard that sound in a very long time. He looked up at Gus with a grin. "Now that, we don't have in common," he observed.


"Aren't you hungry?" Gus asked. "Breakfast was a long time ago and those pretzel things on the plane weren't much."


"Would you like a pizza?"


"Yeah," Gus said without hesitation.


"There's a takeout menu in the kitchen drawer," Brian said heading in that direction. He pulled out the pizza one which he hadn't used in a long time. He hoped the place was still in business. "Choose what you want and I'll order it."


It turned out that Gus wanted all kinds of things off the menu and he let his son choose whatever he wanted, placing the order without comment. Brian thought there had been enough restrictions on Gus that day. Food didn't have to be another one.


"Do you think that will tide you over until morning?" Brian asked with a chuckle as he hung up from placing the order. "It'll be here in half an hour."


"Have you got any soda?" Gus asked yanking open the fridge door.


"I don't think so."


"Can I have a beer?"


"No."


"What's this?" Gus asked lifting a bottle of poppers out of the door of the fridge.


"Um … medicine," Brian said hastily grabbing the bottle and stuffing it back in the fridge.


"Are you sick?" Gus asked.


"It's not that kind of medicine."


"What kind is it?" Gus demanded. He liked having his father on the defensive.


"Never mind," Brian mumbled.


"So much for truth and honesty and all that crap," Gus said with satisfaction. All adults were hypocrites. They never meant what they said.


"You really want to know?" Gus nodded. "I use them sometimes when I'm having sex. They intensify the orgasm."


"Eww," Gus reacted.


"See why you don't need to know everything?"


"Maybe."


"How about some hot chocolate? I think there's some in the cupboard up there."


"It's the middle of the summer," Gus said looking at his father like he was crazy. "Are you nuts?"


"Probably," Brian laughed. "They say Earth is the insane asylum for the universe."


"Who says that?"


"I don't know. I read it on a bumper sticker," Brian admitted.


"You're weird."


"I know."


Gus opened the cupboard turning away from his father so that he didn't laugh again. "Hey," he said. "There's a bottle of Mountain Dew in here. Can I open it?"


Brian hoped the shudder he felt at the mention of the soda wasn't too obvious. "That's really old. It's probably no good." He had bought it for Justin the last time he had come to the loft.


"I'll open it and see," Gus said. "Tastes fine."


"Then knock yourself out."


By the time the pizza arrived Gus had set up a little nest under the TV and had polished off the Mountain Dew. Brian was glad they had ordered so much food including more soda. He had forgotten how much an almost teenage boy could eat and drink.


They turned on the TV, sat on the floor leaning against the sofa and ate their pizza. Brian ate two whole slices, more than he normally ever would have considered eating. Then he sat back and watched Gus inhale pizza, garlic bread, wings and soda. When Gus finally let out a large belch and said he was full, Brian had to laugh.


"You certainly have a good appetite."


"I know. The Moms were always saying I ate so much. I don't think they liked having to buy groceries for me," Gus admitted.


"Was money that tight?" Gus nodded slowly. "Well, we won't have pizza every night, but maybe now and then," Brian said softly.


"It was good. Thanks."


"Let's clean up this mess and put the leftovers in the fridge," Brian suggested as he got up and began gathering the boxes and containers.


Gus watched for a minute and then gathered up his fair share and they carried everything to the kitchen. "Why don't you have any food in the fridge?" Gus asked as he put the rest of the pizza in the refrigerator.


"I eat out a lot."


"Or you just don't eat."


"That too. I have to keep my girlish figure," Brian joked.


"Daaaaaaad!" Gus said like the word had fifteen syllables.


"What? It's the truth."


"TMI, Dad, TMI," Gus said.


Brian finished putting things away while Gus wandered around the loft looking at things and trying to figure out this father that he hardly knew. In the bedroom he stopped in front of the dresser and looked at the pictures there. The first one he noticed was Brian and his mother, both so much younger. There was one of his father also looking younger holding a baby. "Hey Dad, is that me you're holding in this picture?"


"If you're a baby in the picture, then it is. Mikey took it the night you were born."


"Michael's kind of goofy."


"Why do you say that?"


"He and Uncle Ben come to visit Jenny Rebecca. Uncle Michael always brings me a comic book."


"That's nice of him," Brian said thinking that Michael had probably spent more time with his son than he had.


"Who's this guy with the blond hair sitting with you and me?"


"Um … that's Justin."


"Justin?" Gus thought for a minute. "I remember Justin. Where is he? Wasn't he your partner?"


"Sort of."


"Where is he?"


"Europe."


"Really? What's he doing there?"


"It's a long story."


"When's he coming back?"


"I have no idea," Brian said honestly.


"But…"


"Gus, most things I'm willing to talk about, but not Justin, not tonight."


Gus heard something unfamiliar in his father's voice. Something told him to let it go. "Want to watch a movie?" Gus asked looking through the DVDs that Brian had lined up under the TV.

 

"That sounds like a good idea," Brian replied with relief. Maybe by the time the movie was over it would be bed time and he wouldn't have to talk about Justin anymore. He would actually survive the first day of life with his son.

Chapter 6 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 6


Gus woke and started upright. He rubbed his eyes and looked around trying to remember where he was. Light flooded into the loft through the curtains. He was in Pittsburgh with his father. Gus dropped back onto the futon and stared up into the rafters of the loft. He had slept really well. He wondered how his father had made out. He had heard Brian tossing and turning until finally Gus had fallen asleep. He didn't think his father was accustomed to going to bed before midnight, at least not to sleep. Gus shuddered at the thought.


Thinking back on the previous evening, Gus hadn't minded it nearly as much as he had thought he would. His father was kind of cool, in a really weird way. He didn't particularly like sleeping in the living room on the futon, but it was reasonably comfortable. He felt safe and he hadn't gotten angry hardly at all. It took a lot out of him to be angry all the time, but that was how he had survived in Toronto. However, this was Pittsburgh. Maybe he didn't have to do that anymore.


Gus sat up. He needed to pee. Quietly he slid out from beneath the sheet and made his way up to the bedroom. Brian looked like he was still asleep. Gus crossed at the foot of the bed and went into the bathroom gently pulling the door closed behind him. He relieved himself and turned on the tap to wash his hands. He looked in the mirror above the sink and let out a mighty groan. That fucking futon had really done a number on his hair.


"You all right, Sonny Boy?" Brian called out.


"Yeah."


"Can I come in?"


"Why? You taking urine samples now?" Gus asked sarcastically.


"I hope that's not necessary," Brian replied as he pulled the door back. "I just thought I'd show you the answer to your question last night."


Gus looked over at his father and burst out laughing. Brian laughed too, leaning against the doorframe of the bathroom for support. They both sported the same cowlicks sticking out at rude angles from their heads.


"Yours is worse than mine," Gus laughed pointing at his father.


"Wait till tomorrow," Brian warned his son. "Yours will be worse. We have to take turns."


"God, I hope not. Why couldn't I inherit some decent hair from Mom?"


Brian shrugged. "Take a shower. It's the best way to fix the problem. I'm going to make some coffee."


When Gus reappeared some time later, his hair was neatly combed into place. Brian smiled to himself. Maybe he and Gus shared the same "looking good" gene. He wanted to find anything they had in common. He still needed to really connect with his son, and bed head didn't quite do it.


Gus was throwing on some clothes as Brian sipped his coffee.


"I'm going to take a quick shower and then we'll go to the diner for breakfast."


"The diner?"


"You might remember it. Debbie, Michael's mother works there. She'll be happy to see you."


"Isn't she like too old to work?" Gus asked with a frown.


"She likes working, but she has cut way back on her shifts. Oh, and she still has red hair," Brian said in warning.


"I remember the red hair."


"Yeah, it's hard to forget," Brian said as he went into the bathroom.


Gus finished dressing and looked in the fridge for something to eat. He found a slice of the pizza from the night before and gobbled it down. That would tide him over until breakfast. He poured himself some coffee and added several spoonsful of sugar. There was no milk, so he sipped it black. He couldn't say that he liked it very much. He could never understand how adults drank coffee black. He dumped the rest of the coffee down the drain.


Going to the loft door, Gus unlocked it and pulled the door back. He heard the alarm beep a few times and he realized he had triggered it. He hit several buttons to no avail as the alarm kicked into full force. He started to panic knowing his father would be mad. The urge to just run was upon him, when suddenly a hand reached over his shoulder and hit the right buttons. The alarm stopped immediately and the phone rang. Brian picked it up and explained to the alarm company that it was a mistake. He gave his required password to prove who he was.


"What were you doing?" Brian asked after he had accomplished all that.


"I wasn't trying to run away," Gus said defensively.


Brian studied his son. He wanted to believe him. Some little internal voice told Brian to trust Gus on this one. "Then, I guess I should show you the codes for the alarm. You heard the password."


"You're going to tell me that?" Gus asked surprised. He thought he was going to be in big trouble for setting off the alarm.


"The alarm is to keep burglars out, not to keep my son in."


Gus felt strange emotions well up inside him. He couldn't believe he wasn't going to be yelled at or grounded. "Thanks," was all he could manage to say.


"Thanks for what?" Brian frowned.


"For trusting me."


"I hope I can always trust you, Gus, and that you will trust me too.


Gus nodded, still fighting the urge to cry. It had been a long time since anyone in his family had trusted him. Brian showed him how to work the alarm and what combination of numbers needed to be punched in. Gus grasped it quickly.


"Let's go," Brian said gathering up his keys and wallet.


When they got down to the street, Gus wondered what kind of car his father would drive. He hoped it was cool. Brian started down the street, Gus following him.


"Where's your car?" Gus asked after they had been walking for a few minutes.


"Back at the loft. I thought we'd walk to the diner. I need to work off all that pizza I ate last night."


"Oh," Gus laughed. "I almost forgot about your girlish figure."


Brian ignored that remark, but it did make him smile slightly. Gus obviously listened to everything that was said. That was a trait that Brian had long cultivated, especially if he could make people think he wasn't listening at all. It was amazing what you could learn that way. This seemed to be another thing he and Gus had in common. "You wanted to check out what I'm driving these days, did you?" Brian asked filing the other information away. Gus nodded. "I'll show you later. It might surprise you."


Gus wondered what that meant, but he didn't pursue it.


Brian pushed open the door of the diner and walked in, followed by Gus. He saw an empty booth near the back and headed for it. Suddenly he saw Debbie emerge from the back. She took a look at him and then at Gus. A big smile spread across her face.


"Is that Gus?" she bellowed. Brian nodded. "I'd know your son anywhere. He looks so much like you, and he's grown so big."


Gus felt himself pulled into a hug that took his breath away. He struggled a bit but decided it was useless and let Debbie hold onto him, hoping she'd let go before he suffocated.


"What the fuck are you doing here, young man?" she demanded. "Are your mothers here, and my granddaughter?"


"No," Gus said.


"Haven't you seen Gus lately, Deb? You were up in Buffalo a few months ago," Brian asked.


"I haven't seen Gus for more than what, three years. He was never home when I visited his mothers, and he never came to Buffalo with them when they brought JR down to see me."


"Why weren't you around, Gus?" Brian asked.


Gus shrugged. "Guess I was busy doing something else."


Brian frowned. He had never asked Debbie about seeing Gus but he thought she would have reported how he was doing, especially if anything had been wrong. That explained why she had never said anything about his son for a long time.


"Grab that booth and I'll be right over for your orders," Deb told them. She went to deliver some plates that the cook had just put up.


"What did you do when your mothers went to Buffalo?" Brian had to ask as he and Gus sat down. He couldn't believe they would leave Gus on his own.


"Usually I went to Jamal's house."


"Who's Jamal?"


"The black kid you saw at the playground."


"And they just let you stay home."


Gus looked down at his hands and thought about how to answer that. "I … I just told them that I wasn't going with them."


'And punctuated it with anger and physical violence,' Brian thought to himself. He couldn't believe that he had been so blind to what was going on. He really was a shitty father or he would have asked more questions, would have known that something was wrong. He was going to have a lot to make up for.


Debbie returned and took their orders. Thankfully the diner was pretty busy, so she didn't have a lot of time to interrogate them. Brian ate his eggs and nibbled at his toast while Gus inhaled the "big breakfast".


While Gus was finishing up his breakfast, Brian pulled out his cell phone and went outside to make a call. Gus watched him wondering what was going on. Maybe his father was going to send him away. He pushed his plate away, suddenly losing his appetite.


When Brian returned, he didn't look happy. "I have to go over to Kinnetik for a few minutes. Something's come up."


"What's Kinnetik?" Gus asked.


"It's my advertising company. You can come and see where I work."


"Yeah, like I have any other choice," Gus said petulantly.


"You can go back to the loft. You know the codes and I'll give you a key."


"You will?" Brian nodded. Gus felt good that Brian would trust him. "I'd like to see where you work," he decided.


"Let's go," Brian said as they got up to leave. Debbie waved goodbye as Brian threw down a twenty and they left the diner.


They walked over to Kinnetik. Gus was impressed with the modern interior and the spacious feel. It looked like his father was very successful. He had thought that was the case. Brian introduced Gus to Arlene, his secretary, and then disappeared into the art department to deal with whatever problem had arisen.


Arlene showed Gus into his father's office and he sat on the sofa waiting for Brian to return. All of a sudden the office door opened and a man carrying some file folders came in. He looked slightly familiar to Gus, but he couldn't place him. He set the folders on the desk and turned around.


"Fuck!" he said grabbing his chest. "You scared the crap out of me. Who are you and what are you doing sitting there? This isn't a daycare."


"I'm waiting for my father," Gus said trying not to laugh at the reaction.


"Who's your father?"


"Brian Kinney."


"Brian, but he's in… Then you must be…" Ted stammered.


"I'm Gus."


"I'm Ted Schmidt. I'm a friend of your father's and now I work for him." He held his hand out to Gus.


Gus stood and shook it just as his father came into the office.


"I see you two have met," Brian said with a chuckle.


"You didn't say you were bringing Gus back with you," Ted pointed out.


"Since when do I tell you all my business?"


"Since I manage your business," Ted explained.


Gus held his breath wondering how much his father would tell Ted. He didn't want everyone knowing he was a stupid screw-up whose mothers had sent him away.


"Gus is going to be staying with me for a while," Brian said staring at Ted and daring him to ask more.


"Well," Ted said deciding discretion might be the better part of valor. "I'm sure you'll both have a lovely visit."


"Ted," Brian said as Ted turned to leave. "Pretend I'm still in Toronto. I won't be in for the rest of the week."


Ted glanced from Brian to Gus and back to Brian. Something was going on, but he knew better than to ask. "Sure, Bri," Ted said as he walked out.


"Ready to go?" Brian asked his son.


"Sure, are you done already?"


"Yep. They could have figured it out themselves," Brian said shaking his head. "Maybe I better hire some competent people."


Gus laughed. "I bet they don't like to hear that."


"Then we won't tell them," Brian grinned as they made their way out. Arlene waved at them as they left the building.


"Where are we going now?"


"Is there somewhere you'd like to go?"


"Could … could…" Gus couldn't make himself say it.


"What is it, Gus? We can do whatever you want."


"I … I, never mind."


"Come on, tell me."


Gus stared at the ground as they walked along. Finally sucking in a deep breath he blurted it out. "Could we go to the old house?"


Brian knew immediately that Gus meant the house where the Munchers had lived, where Gus had spent the first years of his life.


"Sure, we can do that, but you know that someone else lives there now. We wouldn't be able to go inside."


"I know," Gus said feeling stupid for asking to go there. He should have kept his mouth shut.


"Then let's go back to the loft and get the car."


"You mean it?" Gus said catching up with his father and looking him in the face.


"I mean it."


They walked along quickly, Gus having now found a reason for moving at a faster pace. They went around the corner from the loft building and Brian inserted a key in a large black Mercedes.


"This is yours?"


"Yeah," Brian smirked. "Why?"


"I guess I expected a sports car."


"You remember the Corvette?"


"Is that what it was? I kind of remember it."


"It's almost the same age I am," Brian said rolling his lips into his mouth.


"No shit!" Gus said as they climbed into the car.


"I still have it," Brian revealed. "I'll show it to you tomorrow."


"Tomorrow? Does it still run?"


"You bet. I take it out for a run every now and then. It's a classic."


"Will you take me for a ride?" Gus asked. "Not that I don't like this car." He was running his hands over the smooth leather as Brian pulled away from the curb.


"I think we can arrange a ride."


Gus smiled over at him and then they rode in silence the few blocks to the old house once owned by the Munchers. Brian pulled the car to a stop across the street from the house. Gus stared out the window seemingly lost in time.


"Do you want to get closer?" Brian asked.


Gus shook his head. "I just wanted to see it. I wanted it still to be there."


"And it is," Brian said gently. "Did you like living there?"


Gus nodded and swallowed the lump in his throat. "But that was a long time ago."


"Yeah, it was. Ready to go?"


"I guess," Gus said with a backward glance at the house as Brian pulled away.


"We should probably stop at the supermarket and get some groceries."


"Or we could order another pizza," Gus suggested.


Brian laughed. "Would you eat pizza every day if you had the option?"


"It has all the food groups."


"Oh yeah?"


"Yeah, grains in the crust, dairy from the cheese, protein in the pepperoni and vegetables from whatever ones you order on it."


Brian laughed. This was like a public service announcement, just like someone else used to make. The smile faded from Brian's face. He cleared his throat. "I guess we could have pizza again tonight, but we need to get some bread and milk and maybe something for breakfast."


"Do you cook?"


"Not so's you'd notice," Brian admitted.


"Then we could go to the diner again for breakfast."


"I think I can handle eggs. Besides we're going to have a long day tomorrow."


"We are?"


"Yeah, we are."


"What are we doing?"


Brian liked hearing the "we" in Gus' question. "It's going to be a surprise."


"I like surprises … if they're good ones," Gus admitted.


"I think you'll find this is a good one."

 

Gus settled back in his seat wondering what tomorrow would hold. This was the first time in a long time that he had looked forward to a day with hope and without fear.

Chapter 7 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 7


When Gus awoke the next morning, he could hear Brian making coffee in the kitchen. Rubbing his eyes, he called out, "No fair if you have already showered."


"I've been waiting for you to wake up," Brian said walking over to Gus' futon.


Gus looked up. His father had a case of bed head, but not nearly as bad as the day before.


"You win today," Brian laughed. "Yours is much worse than mine."


"How do I know you haven't been up for hours taming yours?" Gus asked with a smirk.


"You think your poor old Dad would waste his valuable time doing that?"


"Yeah, I think you would."


"Hm," Brian said. "Dueling bed heads. All's fair in love and, you know… You could be right about me taming my hair, but I promise I didn't do it this time."


Gus looked quizzically up at his father. "You always keep your promises, don't you?"


"Yes, I do, at least I do my very best to do that. Why do you ask?"


"Um … no reason."


"People respect you if you keep your promises."


"I keep mine," Gus said defensively, "when I want to."


"I don't think that's the same as always keeping your promises," Brian said feeling this was a lesson that Gus needed to learn.


Gus merely shrugged.


"I'm going to take a shower and then I'll make breakfast."


"I can hardly wait to see you cook," Gus laughed, some of his equanimity seeming to return.


"You'll eat it and you'll like it," Brian stated as he went upstairs and into the bathroom.


In the shower Brian had time to think about yesterday and how he had gotten along with Gus. Things had been going pretty well so far. Brian and Gus had managed to get through the day. They had made sandwiches for lunch and went to see a matinee movie. Brian tried to keep things light. He knew the serious stuff was yet to come.


Brian had made several phone calls during the day, always going out onto the landing before talking so that Gus wouldn't hear. He was making arrangements for where they were going to live. He hoped Gus would like it, but he imagined that Gus must be having some misgivings about what his father was cooking up.


At one point Brian had placed a call to Greg Fernley explaining the situation he now found himself in. Brian didn't want to leave Gus alone, but he really needed to see Greg … and soon. They had agreed to meet as soon as Brian could find an appropriate time. Brian had been happy that Greg seemed as eager to see him as Brian was to see Greg. They were both looking forward to their next encounter.


Brian turned off the water and stepped out of the shower. He toweled off, deciding how he was going to explain things to Gus. He knew it wouldn't be easy for him, but he knew his son was entitled to a satisfactory explanation.


"Ready for breakfast?" Brian asked as he came out of the bathroom.


"Can I shower first?"


"Sure, I'll get dressed and start the eggs. Don't be too long."


Gus disappeared into the bathroom and Brian threw on his well worn jeans that he had retrieved from the laundry the day before. He loved the feel of them, loved the way they cradled his cock. He could hardly wait until Greg freed his dick and he could sink it into that willing ass.


"Stop it, Kinney," he muttered to himself as he went down to the kitchen.


He whipped up some eggs ready to scramble them as soon as Gus came out of the bathroom. In another fry pan he put about half of the pound of bacon they had bought at the supermarket. He started it cooking. He set four slices of bread in the toaster ready to be toasted. He poured himself a mug of coffee and stood by the counter thinking.


Brian knew that he had not solved all of Gus' problems by any stretch of the imagination. They needed to talk and that was going to be when the tough stuff would start. Gus had been caught up with exploring new things … and old memories on his trip back to Pittsburgh, but pretty soon, they would have to face the reality that Gus was staying there. School would be starting in a few weeks. He'd have to look into appropriate schools. How did someone select a good one? There was so much he had to learn.


As he flipped the bacon, he heard Gus come out of the bathroom. He turned the eggs on and pushed down the button on the toaster. After a minute Gus appeared at the counter.


"The toast is going to pop, butter it for me."


"Sure," Gus said joining his father on the other side of the counter. Brian lifted the bacon out of the pan and laid it on a paper towel to drain. Gus buttered the toast. Brian stirred the eggs making sure they weren't too sloppy. Then he dished everything up. He set the plates on the counter poured some more coffee for himself and set the jug of orange juice out for Gus.


"This looks good," Gus said climbing onto one of the stools.


"Don't sound so surprised. And you haven't tasted it yet."


"It is good," Gus said with his mouth full.


"I'm a man of many talents," Brian joked.


"I'm beginning to realize that," Gus said with a frown.


"Gus, can we make a pact?"


"What kind of pact?"


"I'm going to do everything to help you be happy and successful at school … and in life. Can you promise to try your best in return?"


"I … I guess so."


"That's not a very ringing commitment."


"I'll try," Gus agreed. He did want a new start. Maybe things would be different here.


"Then we have a deal." Brian held out his hand and they shook.


"I … I hope I can do it."


"I know you can," Brian replied trying to instill confidence in his son.


"I hope you're right," Gus said guardedly.


Brian didn't like the sound of that. He knew that Gus would have to suck it up and really work if he wanted to catch up to where he should be in school, that was, if he could get Gus into a good school. "You done?" Brian asked seeing the empty plate in front of his son.


Gus nodded taking the last gulp of his orange juice. "You're not a bad cook."


Brian smiled. He was good at a lot of things, but cooking wasn't one of them. "Then we're going for a ride."


"We are?"


"You'll see when we get there," Brian said as he loaded the dishwasher. He was glad to see Gus hand him the dishes and then throw the paper napkins in the waste can. He wanted Gus to start taking some responsibility for chores, for his behavior, for himself.


A little over an hour later Brian pulled his Mercedes into the driveway that led up to the mansion he had bought for Justin as a wedding present, only there had been no wedding.


"What's this place?" Gus asked looking around.


"This is where we're going to live."


"You own this place?" Gus asked in awe as they came to a stop. "It's huge."


"Yeah," was all Brian could think to say.


When they climbed out of the car, the front door of the house opened. A middle aged lady came out. She smiled at Brian and looked Gus up and down.


"Mrs. Hadley," Brian said, "I'd like you to meet my son, Gus."


"Hello, Gus," the woman said with a warm smile.


"Is everything ready?" Brian asked.


Gus was looking from his father to this woman wondering who she was and what was going to happen. Was his father going to leave him here with this woman that he didn't know?


Mrs. Hadley made a funny noise and said, "It's as ready as you requested."


"Come on in, Gus," Brian said striding up to the door. "Grab your suitcase from the back."


Brian had told Gus to load up his suitcase with everything he had brought from Toronto, and they had stowed the futon away in the storage unit before they had left the loft. Gus lugged the heavy suitcase into the house. He set it down once they were inside the door. Mrs. Hadley closed the door behind them.


"Gus, Mrs. Hadley is the housekeeper here. She lives in her quarters on that side of the house. Bring your suitcase and I'll show you your room." Brian started up the stairs.


Hauling the heavy suitcase, Gus made his way up the stairs after his father. He noticed how empty the hallway was and the front foyer had been too. He frowned wondering what kind of place this was. Maybe his father was going to torture him or lock him up out here in the middle of nowhere.


"This is your room," Brian said opening one of many doors.


Gus and his suitcase went inside. He noted that the room was much bigger than his one in Toronto had been but it was very bare. There was a double bed all made up and a dresser and nightstand, but nothing else.


"I ordered the furniture before we left Toronto. That's why we had to stay at the loft until it was delivered. We can go pick out some more things to decorate the room later."


"Okay," Gus said slowly. "Where's your room?" He had gotten used to sleeping so close to his father. It made him feel safe. "You're not going back to the loft and leaving me here, are you?" Gus asked suddenly feeling like he was being abandoned.


"It's across the hall," Brian said calmly.


"Can I see?"


Brian sighed, but nodded. He walked across the hall and opened the door. He stood back allowing Gus to enter. Gus looked around noting a room that was much the same size as his. There was a large bed with a leather headboard and a sleek dresser and chest of drawers. They looked like Brian. There were a few pictures on the dresser and nightstand. Gus recognized himself from a few years ago. There was also one of Brian and Justin together. Against one wall was a desk with a computer on top. This room looked like someone actually lived there … his father.


"Do you stay here often?" Gus asked.


"When the mood hits me."


"Are … are we going to live here all the time now?" Gus asked uncertainly.


"Most of the time. I work in Pittsburgh so I may have to stay over at the loft occasionally."


Gus looked at his father. He suspected he knew why his father would stay in town. "Okay," was all he said.


"There's a pool out back," Brian said. "We could go for a swim." It was a hot summer day.


"Okay."


"Go unpack your things. Have you got a swimsuit?" Gus shook his head. "You can wear a pair of shorts until we get you one."


Gus went to his room to unpack and Brian changed into swimming trunks and slipped on some shorts over them. He needed to talk to Mrs. Hadley before Gus came downstairs. Brian found Mrs. Hadley in the kitchen.


"Mr. Kinney, would you like some lunch out by the pool?"


"That would be nice," Brian replied. "I wanted to talk to you for a minute."


"Certainly, sir."


"Gus is going to be living here permanently, and I will be here much more often."


"Does that mean we'll be getting some more furniture?"


"Perhaps," Brian said with a smirk. That had been a long standing bone of contention between them. "I … I have to go out later tonight, likely after Gus is asleep, but you'll keep an eye on him for me, won't you?"


"Of course I will, but do you think it's wise to leave him alone the first night?"


"He's a big boy."


"Yes, he is, but still a boy."


"You think he'll be … afraid?"


"I think he'd feel much better if you were here. He doesn't know me at all."


"Okay, maybe I can put this off until tomorrow night."


"I think that would be better."


With a sigh Brian went out to sit by the pool and soak up the sunshine of the middle of summer. Before long Gus joined him.


"Is your room okay?"


"There's a few things I need."


"Like what?"


"A lamp by the bed."


Brian smacked his forehead. "Never even thought of that."


"Could I get some kind of CD player?"


"I think that could be arranged. We'll go into town after lunch."


Gus turned and dove into the pool. Brian watched him swim up and down a couple of times.


"Where did you learn to swim?"


"The Moms had me in swimming classes before I could walk. I haven't swum in a long time."


"You can swim every day here."


"Until winter."


"Until winter," Brian agreed before he executed a perfect dive into the pool.


They had fun horsing around in the pool. Gus wanted Brian to cup his hands so Gus could put his foot in them and have his father throw him backwards into the pool. They did that over and over and over again. Brian knew he was going to pay for that the next day. Mrs. Hadley brought them lunch and they dined on chicken salad with fresh vegetables and hot bread. Gus' opinion of Mrs. Hadley went up several degrees after the delicious lunch.


Brian drove them into Colchester which was the closest town and Gus got all the things that would help to make his room his own. Brian forked over for a compact stereo system, a lamp, several posters and some new clothes including a swimsuit.


When they got back to the house, Gus wanted Brian to show him around. Somewhat reluctantly Brian agreed. Going through the first floor of the house Gus quickly discovered that all the rooms were unfurnished except for Mrs. Hadley's apartment and one room downstairs. That room was off the front foyer and had a large fireplace. It had a leather sofa and chair and one end table. They were oriented towards the fireplace or the plasma TV on the wall next to the fireplace. There was a sideboard with an extensive liquor supply. The whole room was dominated by a large dynamic painting over the fireplace.


Gus was immediately drawn to the painting. It was powerful with bold strokes and colors. "Wow!" he said. "What's it supposed to be?"


Brian shrugged his shoulders. He knew what it was supposed to represent but he wasn't about to share that with his son.


Gus walked over to the painting and read the name scrawled at the bottom. "J. Taylor," he read aloud. "I never heard of him."


"Yes you have." Gus looked at his father. "It's Justin's work."


"Wow!" Gus repeated.


"His work does have power."


"Did he give this to you?"


"Yes."


"Dad, what happened with you and Justin?"


Brian hesitated, not sure that he could actually talk about it. Finally he mustered his voice and said, "He had to go away to pursue his art."


"Is he coming back?"


"I … I don't know. I don't think so."


"But why?" Gus asked puzzled. "If he gave you something like this…?" Gus made a gesture towards the painting.


"I have something else to show you," Brian said not wanting to answer that question. He led the way out a side door. They went outside to the building that was obviously a garage with doors to accommodate four cars. Brian shoved up the nearest door revealing the old green Corvette. "I told you I kept it."


"Can we go for a ride?" Gus smiled. He liked the look of the car even if it was old.


Brian grabbed the keys off a hook and they climbed in. Brian took them for a drive around the neighborhood helping Gus get oriented to his new surroundings. They passed the local high school where Gus could be enrolled in a few weeks if Brian could get him in. Brian pulled into the parking lot.


"Do you like the look of this school?" Brian asked.


"Why?"


"It's one of the choices for you to go to."


"Do I have to?"


"Of course, you have to go to school."


"Couldn't I study at home?"


"I don't really think that's an option."


"Why not?"


"I have to work, Gus. I can't be here every day to oversee your studies."


"Couldn't Mrs. Hadley do that?"


"That was never part of her job description."


Gus' face fell. "You said this was one of the choices. What are the others?"


"There's a private school the other way from the house."


"Can we see it?"


Brian drove them to the school that he had researched on the internet while Gus had watched a movie the other night. They drove through the gate and stopped near the front of the school. It had the appearance of an Ivy League college even though it was a prep school.


"How do you like it?" Brian asked thinking of St. James and how Justin had fared there.


"I … I don't know. Looks kind of snooty."


"Yeah, I guess it does. They have an open house in a couple of weeks. I thought we could come by and tour the place, talk to the teachers."


"I guess," Gus agreed uncertainly. He didn't think this was the right kind of place for him, but neither was the public high school. He didn't want to go to school. That was where all his troubles had begun.


"Gus, you didn't actually pass last year from what your mothers told me. We may have trouble getting you into either of these schools. You don't want to go back to elementary school, do you?"


"God, no," Gus reacted.


"Then you're going to have to work with me." Brian thought he saw the shiny texture of tears in Gus' eyes but he didn't say anything about them. He started the car and they drove away.


When they got home, Brian put the Corvette back in the garage. Gus said he wanted to have another swim. Brian said he had some phone calls to make and went up to his bedroom. Gus heard him talking as he came out of his room after changing into his swim trunks.


"Maybe tomorrow. I should be in Pittsburgh during the day, so maybe we can hook up after work," Brian was saying.


Gus wondered who his father was talking to, but he headed out for his swim. Mrs. Hadley made them a delicious dinner which they ate in the breakfast nook off the kitchen. Brian had never invested in any kind of dining room furniture. Maybe he would have to do that now.


After dinner Gus wanted to swim again. Brian wondered if he could get Gus on a school swim team. That would give him a positive interest and something to use up teenage energy. Brian called Ted and told him he was planning on being at Kinnetik tomorrow afternoon. Ted would arrange to have anything that needed his attention ready. Brian and Gus watched a bit of TV and then Gus said he was going up to his room. He'd listen to some music and then go to bed. Brian stayed put in the large chair facing the fireplace.


Gus got ready for bed and listened to his favorite CD for a while. He was tired from all the swimming he had done that day and finally fell asleep. Some time later he awoke with a start wondering where he was. Finally it all came back to him. Switching on his new lamp, he looked at his watch. It was 3:35. He wondered if his father was asleep. It felt kind of creepy being in this big empty house.


Gus slid out of bed and went across the hall. Brian's bedroom was empty. He looked out the window of his father's bedroom and saw that the Mercedes was parked out front. His father must still be there unless he took the Corvette. Quietly Gus made his way down the stairs. He could see flickering light coming from the furnished room off the foyer. Gus wasn't sure what he should call it. He crept up to the door and saw Brian sitting in front of a burning fire. It was the middle of summer and Gus wondered why his father would have started a fire in the fireplace. Brian seemed to be lost in thought staring at the painting that hung above the mantle. Instinctively Gus knew he should not interrupt. He went quietly back to his room.

 

Brian stared at Justin's painting reflected in the firelight. He was seeing himself and Justin in the abstract painting and on the floor in front of the fire … making love. That was what he always saw when he sat in front of a fire in here. His heart ached with a longing that didn't seem to ever stop. He took a long drink from his glass of Beam. He didn't think he'd be getting much sleep that night.

Chapter 8 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 8


The next afternoon Brian headed off into Pittsburgh leaving Gus with Mrs. Hadley. Mrs. Hadley watched the boy swimming in the pool after his father left. She wondered what the real story was in regards to this child and his sudden appearance at Britin. She knew there had to be something pretty drastic that had caused the elusive Mr. Kinney to bring his son to this house. She intended to find out.


"Gus," Mrs. Hadley called. "I made you a snack. Come in out of the sun for a while."


Gus hauled himself out of the pool and toweled off. He walked into the kitchen with the towel wrapped around his waist.


"Sit down on the stool and then you won't get anything wet," she advised him.


Gus sat on the stool at the counter and Mrs. Hadley set cookies and milk in front of him. The cookies were still warm. Gus took a big bite.


"Yum," he reacted. "These are the best cookies."


"An old family recipe," Mrs. Hadley replied. "I thought you might like them."


"Thanks."


"Gus, do you mind telling me why you're here."


"I … why do you want to know?"


"Your father's never brought anyone here before."


"He hasn't? No one?"


"Nope."


"Not even Justin?"


"Who's Justin?"


"The blond guy in all the pictures."


"Oh, I see. I never knew his name," Mrs. Hadley admitted. "Your father's a very private person."


"So you're pumping me for information instead?" Gus challenged her.


"I asked you why you were here, not about your father."


"True. Well, I guess you'll find out eventually so I might as well give you my side of the story."


Mrs. Hadley nodded and waited as Gus took another bite of cookie.


"I lived in Toronto with my two Moms," Gus said waiting to see if Mrs. Hadley would react to that statement. When nothing happened, he continued. "I guess I was kind of hard to handle. They … they thought I needed a change. I guess they thought Dad could sort me out."


"Do you need sorting out?"


"Um … maybe."


"Were you having trouble at school?"


Gus nodded. He didn't like to think about that. "Dad took me to look at a couple of schools around here yesterday. I guess I'll have to go to one of them."


"Don't you like school?"


Gus shook his head. "I hate it."


"Is it too hard for you?"


"No, it's not too hard. It's the other kids. They never like me unless…" Gus stopped not wanting to tell Mrs. Hadley what he had had to do to make friends.


"I can't understand why they wouldn't like you. You seem like a nice young man."


Gus snorted. "Yeah, well, you're old. You don't know what it's like."


"I'm not that old," Mrs. Hadley chuckled. "But you're probably right. I don't know what it's like. Could you tell me?"


"It's none of your business," Gus retorted.


"Gus!" Mrs. Hadley was taken aback at the vehemence in the boy's tone.


Gus immediately felt bad that he had yelled at this woman who had been nothing but nice to him. "Um … Sorry, but I don't want to talk about it."


"That's all you had to say, and I'll stop pestering you. I think we're going to be spending quite a bit of time together, so I hope we can get along."


"I hope so too. I think I'll go back in the pool."


Mrs. Hadley was about to say something about staying out of the water after eating, but she thought better of it. Instinctively she knew that Gus would not appreciate her advice. She'd have to build on his trust before she could do that. In the meantime she'd keep a close eye on him swimming in case he had a cramp or something.


+++++


Brian walked out of Kinnetik having conferred with Cynthia and Ted. They were set for the next few days. Brian had a campaign that he was working on tucked away in his briefcase. He'd work at home tomorrow.


But right now he was heading to the loft and Greg was going to meet him there. He needed that. Brian threw his briefcase onto the front seat of the Mercedes. He reached in his pocket and pulled out his cell phone. He dialed a number and waited.


"Hello."


"Mrs. Hadley, how is everything going?"


"Not bad. Gus has spent most of the day in the pool."


"I hope he's not getting a burn."


"I've been encouraging him to use the sunscreen."


"Thank you."


"Will you be home soon?"


Brian rubbed his brow. "No, it will probably be late before I get there. Tell Gus to go to bed by eleven."


"Would you like to speak to him?"


"No, tell him I'll be late but I will be home."


"Of course, Mr. Kinney."


The line went dead.


Brian put his cell back in his pocket and headed towards the loft. As he pulled into a parking space he could see Greg leaning against the building smoking a cigarette.


"Hey," Greg smiled as Brian got out of his car.


"Let's go," Brian said as he unlocked the front door.


They barely got through the loft door when Brian was all over the willing young man. They never made it to the bedroom for the first round. Brian took what he wanted against one of the metal supports in the loft. Greg seemed to enjoy that so much that they did round two with Greg bent over the back of the sofa. Round three finally took place in the bed.


"Man, you're insatiable," Greg yawned ready for a nap.


"Thanks."


"I don't know how you do it."


"You mean, at my age?" Brian asked feeling annoyed at the implication.


"Hell no! I don't think I could have done that three times in such a short span of time if I was topping."


Brian snorted. "And you're ten years younger than me."


"You're fucking incredible."


Brian looked into Greg's eyes. They weren't blue but he saw the same kind of look there that he used to see from someone else. "You were okay yourself."


"Thanks," Greg chuckled. "Do you think I could have a little nap before we go again?"


"Speaking of going, I have to leave in less than an hour."


"You do? How come?"


"I have a son waiting for me."


"You have a kid?"


"I have a kid. Does that bother you?"


"No, not really. I just never pegged you for someone who would go all hetero and have a kid."


"I didn't go all hetero as you call it, but that's a story for another time."


"Do you really have to leave? I was kind of hoping we could spend the night together."


"Maybe next time."


"Really?" Greg said with a hopeful smile. That sounded promising.


"I'm good for one more before I leave. Do you think you can stay awake that long?"


"I'll do my best. Once your dick is up my ass, I'm sure I won't have any trouble."


Brian leaned in and kissed Greg using his patented techniques. They were both hard by the time he was finished.


+++++


Mrs. Hadley shooed Gus upstairs to shower and change. Dinner was almost ready and she wanted the boy presentable if he was going to eat with her. She set the table in the breakfast nook wondering if Mr. Kinney would get a decent table and chairs to eat on. They had a perfectly good dining room which stood empty next door.


Before Gus came down, she set out the salad bowl and dressing. Gus slid into the seat that he had used for breakfast with his father. Mrs. Hadley sat down across from him.


"I hope you don't mind eating with me," she said. "I like the company."


Gus smiled. "It's better than eating alone, I guess. Did Dad say when he would be back?"


"He called a while ago and just said that he would be late." Mrs. Hadley held the salad out to Gus who scooped out a huge portion. He added some dressing and dug in. "You certainly have a good appetite, young man."


"Swimming makes me hungry."


"It's good exercise."


Gus nodded in agreement his mouth full of salad. When he had cleaned his plate, Mrs. Hadley removed the salad and set out a plate of pasta with salmon and various vegetables and a creamy sauce. It smelled wonderful.


"You're a really good cook," Gus said as he tasted the first bite.


"Thank you," she replied tasting her own meal. "What are you going to do after dinner?"


"I don't know. Watch TV."


"I have some books you might like."


"What kind of books?"


"Have you read any of the Harry Potter books?"


"I tried to get them from the library but they were always out or on reserve."


"I have the whole set if you'd like to borrow them."


"Maybe I will," Gus said looking over at the kindly face. He was surprised that she would have the books, but he would like to read them.


Mrs. Hadley smiled to herself. At least Gus seemed interested in reading. She always took that as a good sign. So many children these days never read anything except designer labels. They were usually the ones in trouble. The kids who read didn't seem to get into trouble. She wondered why Gus didn't seem to fit the usual troubled kid mold.


Gus finished off his pasta. He waited patiently as Mrs. Hadley calmly ate her meal.


"Would you like some advice about meals, Gus?"


"Advice?" Gus asked with a frown.


"In polite company it is customary to eat more slowly and try to have everyone present finish eating at the same time."


"Oh! Um … why would I need to know that?"


"When you go out to a nice restaurant or have dinner with your friends and their family, it's always a good idea to show your best manners."


"Like I have any friends," Gus scoffed.


"But you'll make some as soon as you get out in the community." Gus shook his head, but Mrs. Hadley sensed that Gus didn't want her to pursue that line of thought. "When you have friends you can remember what I told you."


"Okay," Gus said not sure that he would ever have any real friends if past experience was any indication.


"Would you like some ice cream for dessert?"


Gus nodded vigorously and Mrs. Hadley went to dish some up. She set a bowl down in front of Gus. He picked up his spoon and was about to dig in when he saw that she was getting a bowl for herself, but with a much smaller portion. He decided he could wait.


Mrs. Hadley put the ice cream container back in the freezer and carried her bowl back to the table. She noted with a smile that Gus was waiting for her. When she took the first bite of her ice cream, Gus dug into his. He made sure to pace himself so that they finished their desserts at almost the same time.


"Excellent," Mrs. Hadley said with a warm smile.


"Yes, excellent," Gus said wiping his mouth with his napkin.


"Why don't you go check out the TV programs? If you decide you want "Harry Potter", you can have the whole set to take up to your room."


"Gee, thanks," Gus said as he got up from the table. As an afterthought he carried his bowl over to the counter so Mrs. Hadley could load the dishwasher. Her smile of approval sent him back to clear the rest of the dishes.


"Thank you, Gus. That was very nice of you."


"No problem," Gus said as he went off to check out what was on TV.


Gus watched a couple of shows. After some time and a lot of fruitless channel surfing he switched off the TV. Not finding any decent programs and needing to use the bathroom, Gus went up to his room. He sat in the bathroom wondering when his father would be home. He kind of missed him when he wasn't there.


When Gus came out of the bathroom, he went and looked in his father's room just to be sure that he hadn't already come home. The room was empty. Coming back into the hall he decided to explore the other rooms on the upper level even though they were empty. Maybe he'd find a good place to read or a place to hide if he wanted to be alone.


He opened three doors finding empty bedrooms with closets that had some potential as hiding places. There was only one door left, the one at the end of the hall. He carefully opened the door and to his surprise he found a partially furnished room. There was a large four poster bed all made up with rich looking covers. The room was large and on one wall was another painting that had to have been done by Justin. There was no mistaking the look of it. That was all that was in the room.


Gus noted that there were two large walk-in closets, both empty. A door led to a huge bathroom with walk-through shower and double vanities. Another door led to a good sized room that could be a study or an office. Gus liked the room and thought it might be a good place to read in the daytime. One window was bowed out and had a seat built under it. That would make a great place to read Harry Potter. Walking back into the main bedroom Gus decided that this must be the master suite. He wondered why his father didn't sleep in this room.


Gus made his way down to the kitchen and found Mrs. Hadley working on some material in her lap.


"What are you making?" Gus asked.


"I'm embroidering this little dress for my granddaughter. She'll be two years old in a few weeks."


"It's pretty."


"Thank you."


"Um … I'd like the Harry Potter books if that's okay."


"It's more than okay," Mrs. Hadley said setting aside her needlework and going into her apartment off the kitchen. Gus looked at what she had been making while he waited for her to return.


"The stitches are so tiny," he told her when she came back with the pile of seven books.


"Yes, the smaller the better."


"Wow! You really do have all the books."


"I hear she may write another one. There were only supposed to be seven."


Gus took the pile of books and set them down on the table in the breakfast nook. He sat down too, watching Mrs. Hadley as she resumed her embroidery.


"You're good at that."


"I like to think so."


"Um … could I ask you something?"


"Certainly, Gus."


"That big room at the end of the hall upstairs…"


"Yes, the master bedroom."


"Why doesn't Dad sleep there?"


"I don't know, Gus. You'd have to ask your father."


"But he has a bed and one of Justin's paintings in there."


"Those were there when I first came to work for your father. The rest of the house was totally empty. I never see him go into that room. He seems to like the other room that he had furnished as his bedroom."


Gus frowned. That didn't make much sense, but Mrs. Hadley didn't seem to know any more than that.


"Thanks for the books," Gus said gathering them up. "Night."


"Are you going to bed?"


"I thought I'd read now that I have something interesting," Gus grinned.


"Good night, Gus. Don't stay up too late reading."


Gus made his way upstairs, threw on his pajamas, brushed his teeth and curled up in bed with the first volume of Harry Potter.


+++++


Brian turned into the driveway leading up to his house. Most of the house was in darkness since it was almost midnight. He was feeling … better. Being with Greg had definitely taken the edge off. He might have liked to spend the rest of the night with the man but he wanted to be home when Gus got up in the morning. Ah, the joys of parenthood and being a fucking adult.


Brian parked the Mercedes in the driveway and pulled his briefcase out. He walked up to the front door and let himself in. The kitchen was dark, so he figured Mrs. Hadley had retired to her apartment for the night and was probably asleep. He thought maybe he could sleep too. Greg had worn him out but not as much as he had worn Greg out. He smiled at the memory.


Going into the kitchen Brian opened the refrigerator and by its light drew out a bottle of water. He opened it and drank about half of it. It was cold and refreshing. Brian debated going for a swim, but he didn't want to wake anybody so he decided he'd go up to his bedroom. Maybe he could get a good night's sleep. He also wanted to check on Gus.


Brian gently opened the door to Gus' room. His light was still on and he was partly propped up in bed with a book lying on his chest. Gus was sound asleep. Brian had to smile. He quietly made his way over to the bed and lifted the book from Gus' hands. He noted that it was the first Harry Potter book. He knew immediately that Mrs. Hadley had been responsible for Gus having it. At least it was an interesting series. Brian had read them all and then had given them to Mrs. Hadley who seemed to enjoy them too. Now they had made their way back to Gus. He was glad that his son was reading again.


Brian set the book on the nightstand turning it over so that Gus wouldn't lose his place. Carefully Brian adjusted the sheet covering Gus and leaned down to give his son a gentle kiss on the forehead. So far they had been doing all right. He hoped that would continue.

 

Brian left Gus' room making sure that the click of the door didn't wake the boy. He stopped for a moment and looked down the hall at the master suite. He couldn't seem to break the habit of looking at that door every night before he went to bed. With a shake of his head he went into his room.

Chapter 9 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 9


Over the next number of days, Brian spent more and more time away from the mansion. He went into Pittsburgh every day and did some work at Kinnetik. The rest of the time he spent in bed with Greg. Brian even stayed overnight in Pittsburgh several times. He called the house to tell Gus that he had been working late and was going to crash at the loft. Gus hadn't put up a fight so Brian thought he was all right with it.


Gus, on the other hand, was getting more and more upset about his father's absences. He thought he must have done something to drive him away. He withdrew more into himself, spending most of the day reading "Harry Potter". He was already on the third book, and he found if he read in the study off the master bedroom, Mrs. Hadley never found him.


Mrs. Hadley saw the subtle change in Gus. It started when he didn't want to swim even though the weather was hot and bright and ideal for swimming. Then Gus would disappear for hours on end. Mrs. Hadley wasn't about to go searching the house, but she was pretty sure she knew where he was. She started worrying that Gus might be heading for some kind of trouble.


When Brian called one night to say he would be home late, but that he was coming home, Mrs. Hadley decided to wait up for him. Mr. Kinney needed to know what was going on with his son.


Brian let himself into the dark house around midnight. He could see a light in the kitchen. He headed in there to get his usual bottle of water. He had reached the refrigerator when Mrs. Hadley spoke from the breakfast nook.


"Shit! You' scared the crap out of me."


Mrs. Hadley gave him a disapproving look in light of the language. "I waited up to speak to you about your son."


"About Gus? Is something wrong?"


"I'm afraid so."


"Why? What's happened?"


"Over the last couple of weeks Gus has started disappearing for large parts of the day. He hardly swims at all anymore, even though the weather has been very hot."


"What do you think he's doing?" Brian asked with a frown. He took a bottle of water from the fridge and opened it taking a long drink. He sat down at the table with Mrs. Hadley.


"I don't know for sure."


"But you have an idea," Brian stated looking at the woman who had worked for him for several years and had never asked him a personal question in all that time. She must be very concerned about Gus to be doing this.


"I don't think he leaves the house. I think he's found a hidden spot to read."


"That doesn't sound so bad," Brian said wondering why that would be a source of concern.


"He needs friends, not books. I'm very happy he is reading, don't get me wrong. However, there is more to life than books. I think he should be swimming and playing with his friends and riding a bike and doing all kinds of other things."


"You're right, but it's hard for him to meet other kids living out here."


"That's true, but he could join a club or a swim team or something."


"I was waiting till he started school to suggest that."


"You realize he's terrified of school."


"Terrified?"


"He says he hates it. To a teenager I think that means he's terrified, especially when he is smart like Gus and should have no problem doing the work."


"I think he's worried that no one will like him. He had some bad experiences at school in Toronto."


"He kind of hinted at that," Mrs. Hadley said thoughtfully. "But the other thing that worries me, and you're not going to like this…" She waited to see what her employer would say to that.


"Go ahead. I can take it," Brian said already steeling himself for what he knew was coming.


"Ever since you have started being away all day and sometimes all night, Gus has got more and more silent. He talked to me a bit when he first came here. Now I can hardly pry a yes or no out of him."


"Shit!" Brian reacted. "I can't be with him all day every day."


"I wasn't suggesting that. He just needs a little more of you than you're giving him right now. Once school starts he will be there all day."


"I need to sort out the school situation."


"Doesn't the private school west of here have an open house coming up?" she asked pointedly.


"Yes, I should make an appointment with the head of the school. I'm not sure they will accept Gus."


"Why ever not?"


"He … he didn't exactly pass last year. He was flunking every subject."


"But he's such a knowledgeable boy?" Mrs. Hadley said bewildered.


"Yeah, he is," Brian smiled. "Thank you for saying that."


"I said it because it's the truth."


That was one of the things Brian had always liked and respected about Mrs. Hadley. She told it like it was. "I guess I have some things to sort out," Brian said thoughtfully.


"I'd say so."


"Thank you for the heads up. I thought everything was fine."


"Kids can be tricky and teenagers keep a lot to themselves."


"He's not even a teenager … yet."


"Just think what you have to look forward to," Mrs. Hadley smiled as she stood up. "Good night, Mr. Kinney, and good luck." She walked away to go to her quarters.


"Thanks," Brian said to her retreating back. "I'm going to need it."


Brian took the rest of his bottle of water and headed upstairs. He opened Gus' door and saw the boy asleep with the fourth Harry Potter book lying on his chest. This sight had pleased him before, now it worried him. He went inside and removed the book kissing Gus' forehead once again. He would have to do something about what Mrs. Hadley had told him. He wished he knew what the fuck that was going to be.


Quietly he left the room closing the door behind him. He looked at the door to the room at the end of the hall wishing that Justin was there to give him guidance. With a sigh he went back downstairs and lit a fire in the fireplace. It would be another long night.


+++++


Gus walked out of his room. It was late morning but he had stayed up for a long time reading "Harry Potter", so he had slept in to make up for it. He hoped Mrs. Hadley had something good for breakfast, but if he had missed it, he could always have cereal. He crossed the hall and looked into his father's room. The bed was made and there was no sign of the man. He must have stayed in Pittsburgh again last night.


Gus let out a long sigh. He didn't understand what he had done. When he had first come there with his father, Brian had spent all day every day with him. They had had fun; at least Gus had thought they had. He had actually believed that maybe his life could be different, that maybe he could have a new start with his father. He should have known better. There must be something really wrong with him, something that made everyone turn away from him, made it impossible for him to be happy for more than a fleeting moment. He was such a screw-up.


Now everything in his life had changed again, and his father never seemed to be around, never seemed to have time for Gus anymore. He never even came home most nights. His father must really hate him. Gus let out a shuddering breath. He would have to admit to himself that he was unlovable. Nobody wanted him. Maybe he should run away, go back to Toronto. At least Jamal and some of the other guys liked him, as long as he helped them get their drugs. He wiped away the tear that had suddenly appeared.


He'd have to think about going back to Toronto. If his father didn't want him, he didn't know where else he could go. He sucked in a breath and decided to have breakfast before he tried to figure out what he was going to do.


As he walked down the big staircase to the front foyer, he could hear a voice. It sounded like his father was talking to someone on the phone. He stopped part way down the stairs and listened. His father must have spent the night in the library again. He wondered why Brian did that. Even so, his father was home and that was something.


Gus took a few more steps down and stopped when he heard his name.


"But I'd like you to meet my son, Gus … He's twelve … You could come out here and stay for the night … I can't be at the loft tonight … I think you'd like Gus … Greg, please … I need to see you … all right … in a few days then."


Gus had only heard one side of the conversation but it sounded like this Greg had been invited to the house to meet him. It also seemed that Greg didn't like that idea very much. Gus gave an involuntary shudder. This would be another person who couldn't stand to be around him. It sounded like his father wanted this Greg to be his boyfriend or something. Gus could only imagine what that might mean for his life. He quickly went down the rest of the steps and turned to go to the kitchen.


He stopped for a moment wondering if his father might like to talk to him. Brian hadn't seen him for a couple of days. "Get real," Gus muttered to himself. Nobody wanted to see him. Nobody cared what happened to him. He continued on to the kitchen.


While he ate the French toast that Mrs. Hadley made for him, Gus waited to see if his father would appear and at least speak to him. However, there was no sign of Brian during breakfast. Gus remained silent as he ate not saying any more to Mrs. Hadley than he had to.


She was reading the newspaper and Gus started reading the opposite page that faced him. Most of what he read was pretty boring. He realized she was reading the entertainment section and he kept waiting for her to turn the page so he could get to see what movies were on. That was, until he realized that nobody was going to be taking him to any fucking movie.


Finally she turned the page folding the paper back and starting to read a new part. Gus looked at the print that now faced him. It wasn't the movie listings unfortunately. It was the art scene. He glanced quickly at it as he finished his French toast. Then something caught his eye. It said there was an opening in two weeks at the Sidney Bloom Gallery in Pittsburgh and the artist was Justin Taylor.


Gus almost gasped when he read the name. It had to be their Justin, the blond guy in all the pictures with him and his dad, the guy who had painted the big canvas in the library where his father was right now. He wondered if his father knew that Justin was having this show. Brian had told him that Justin was in Europe, so he probably didn't know. Gus wondered if he should tell his father. He really didn't know what he should do about this.


Gus carried his empty plate over to the counter and then left the kitchen. Mrs. Hadley watched him go. He had been as silent as ever this morning. She didn't think that Mr. Kinney had talked to his son yet, but he needed to do something fast. She didn't like this silent Gus at all.


As Gus headed for the stairs to go up to his room, he heard his father's voice coming from the library once again. He stopped and listened.


"I could bring Gus there later this morning … I think you'll find he's a bright boy … I don't have all that information but I could get it faxed to you … I'll try to have that done before I arrive with Gus, but it is the summer holidays … Thank you for seeing us … I hope we can work something out."


Gus headed upstairs wondering where his father was planning to take him. Maybe he was through with his son and was planning to take Gus to an orphanage. But his father had said he was a bright boy. Gus liked hearing that. He didn't think you had to be bright to be accepted at an orphanage.


Gus grabbed his Harry Potter book and headed for the master bedroom. He quietly closed the door behind him and passed through the room. He wondered if his father and Justin had ever spent any time in there. He walked into the room off the master suite and made himself comfortable in the bay window. He looked out onto the pool at the back of the house. He thought maybe he'd have a swim later today, since he might not get many more opportunities if he was going to be sent away.


Gus opened his book and prepared to lose himself in the adventures of Harry and Ron and Hermione. That would be the best he could hope for, living vicariously through the characters in this book.


Gus had been reading for quite a while. His bookmark told him that he had read five chapters when he heard his name being called.


"Gus! Gus! Where are you?" his father's voice boomed down the hall.


Gus cringed. He wasn't supposed to be in here and now he was likely to be caught. He didn't know whether to go hide in a closet or just admit where he was. Suddenly he could hear muffled voices in the hallway. They seemed to be coming closer. Gus sat frozen in the window seat.


"Gus," Brian's voice said from the doorway.


Gus looked up and mumbled, "Sorry."


"What are you sorry about?" Brian asked.


Gus looked at his father. He didn't seem to be mad. Mrs. Hadley hovered behind her father.


"I know I shouldn't be in here, but I was just reading," Gus explained holding up his book.


"Who said you can't be in here?" Brian asked.


"You never come in here," Gus said.


"Just because I don't doesn't mean that you can't," Brian said gently.


"You mean it?" Gus said with relief.


Brian nodded. "But I need you to come with me to the private school down the road. We have an appointment with the principal in half an hour. You need to clean up."


Gus frowned. He wasn't sure he wanted to go to this meeting, but at least it wasn't an appointment with an orphanage. "What should I wear?" Gus asked.


"Mrs. Hadley will help you pick something. I have to make a few more phone calls."


Brian abruptly left the room and Gus could hear his father's bare feet slapping against the hardwood as he quickly crossed the bedroom.


Mrs. Hadley smiled reassuringly at Gus. "Come along, Gus. I'm sure we can find something nice for you to wear."


"I don't have a suit," Gus said softly. This meeting sounded important.


Mrs. Hadley chuckled. "It's summer, Gus. Nobody wears suits. We just need a shirt and some long pants."


"That's bad enough," Gus groused.


Not long after, Gus was seated beside his father in the big Mercedes. They were on their way to the appointment with the principal. Gus remained silent wondering what was going to happen. Brian glanced at his son and frowned. He wished Gus would talk to him about what he was feeling, about his fears and about what had happened at school in Toronto.


Brian half snorted. No one would believe that the infamous, cold hearted, Brian Kinney would actually be wishing to talk about feelings. But this was his son, and he'd talk about anything that would help the young man.


Brian pulled the Mercedes into an empty spot in the parking lot. There were quite a few cars already parked there. Brian could see some people wandering around the grounds, each of them ushering at least one child along with them. The open house was in full swing.


Gus got out of the car slowly. Brian watched him not liking the reaction he was seeing.


"Give it a chance," Brian said gently.


Gus tried to smile but it came out more like a grimace. "I'll try."


Brian could feel the fear in Gus' voice. "This is just a preliminary meeting. We don't have to decide anything today. Okay?"


Gus nodded and Brian squeezed his shoulder. They made their way inside the school. Brian followed the signs towards the office. As they reached the door to the main office, it opened and a boy with dark skin about Gus' age came out with his parents.


"What do you think, Ravi?" the man asked his son.


"It seems like a nice enough place," Ravi said non-committally.


Gus watched them pass by and he gave Ravi a little smile of sympathy. The two boys exchanged a look knowing that they were both in the same boat.


"Let's go look at the grounds," Ravi's father said giving his son a little push towards the front doors.


Gus watched them till they disappeared from sight. Brian had gone into the office and was talking with a secretary. "Gus," he called after a minute. "The principal is ready for us."


Gus released the door that he had been holding open as he watched Ravi and his parents disappear out the front door of the building. He walked into the office and followed his father to a wooden door that opened. A middle age man introduced himself as Mr. Jennings. He asked the two to come in and indicated chairs on one side of his desk. He sat in the big chair behind the desk and picked up a file which he quickly perused while Brian and Gus waited. Gus had a sinking feeling about this. He had been in the principal's office many times in his other school. It always worked the same. He'd be in trouble here too.


"So, Gus, how do you like our fine school so far?" Mr. Jennings asked.


"It's okay."


"Would you like to attend school here?"


"I don't know. Maybe."


"Well, I see that you've had some problems at your previous school. The kind of trouble you got into there won't be tolerated here. Do you understand that?"


"Yes, sir," Gus replied. He knew how to play this game. He knew the right answers to give. That didn't mean any of it was true.


"That's a step in the right direction," Mr. Jennings said. "Gus, would you like to go look around the school while I talk to your father for a moment?"


Gus looked at his father who nodded. Slowly Gus stood up. He thought he'd lay it on thick. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Jennings. I'll meet you by the car, father," Gus said formally.


Brian tried not to snort and he did manage to refrain from doing so. He gave Gus a wink before the boy disappeared out the door.


"He seems like a nice boy, but I am very concerned about his grades. He really shouldn't be starting high school with these marks." Mr. Jennings was holding a transcript that Brian had managed to get sent from Toronto with a little help from Melanie.


"I know he wasn't doing well, but he's trying to turn over a new leaf. If you look back a few years, you'll see he was top of his class. He has had some social problems that affected his grades."


"I understand that," Mr. Jennings said. "I'm willing to give him a probationary spot in first year, but he will have to pull up his socks. I'm going to give you some work that needs to be completed before the first week of school. I will expect you to supervise Gus' studies. If he can successfully complete this work, he can start school with the rest of the first years on September 8th."


Brian groaned inwardly, but he nodded to Mr. Jennings who proceeded to go over the requirements that Gus would have to fulfill to gain entry. Brian thought Gus should have been there to hear all this, but Gus had been sent away so Brian would have to try to remember it all.


Meanwhile Gus was wandering the halls of Bramley Hall. They had some interesting science labs with a lot more equipment laid out than he had had in his public school in Toronto. That might be good. Each classroom had an older student inside who would answer questions about that subject. Gus wondered where the teachers were, but maybe they were still on vacation. He'd like to be on vacation forever.


"Any questions?" the student helper asked Gus as he wandered into a lab with pickled frogs and other gross things lined up along a counter.


"Do we get to dissect those?" Gus asked.


"Not first year, but later."


"Gross."


"It's not so bad. If you're interested in medicine."


"I'm not," Gus said not liking the way this guy looked lovingly at the pickled animals.


"Too bad."


"Can you tell me where the art room is?" Gus asked.


"You one of those sissy artist types?"


Gus blanched. "No, I'm not. I just want to see it."


The aide smirked at him. "Out the door and to the left. End of the hall."


"Thanks," Gus said as he beat a hasty retreat. That guy reminded him of some of the older boys who had given him problems in the past. He was mean like they were, but he hid it better under his school uniform.


Gus never did get to the art room. As he exited the science lab, he saw his father come out of the office. He ran down the hall to Brian.


"You ready to go?" Brian asked.


"I've seen enough," Gus replied, and he had.


"Then let's go."


"What's all that stuff?" Gus asked seeing the sheaf of papers that Brian had in his hand.

 

"I'll show you when we get home," Brian said. He hoped Gus wouldn't blow up when he saw what the principal wanted from him.

Chapter 10 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 10


Gus worked on the pages that Brian had brought home from Bramley Hall. He was sitting at the kitchen table and Mrs. Hadley was in the process of making them lunch.


"You should ask your father for a proper desk where you can do your work," she said thoughtfully while she buttered bread for sandwiches.


Gus chuckled ruefully. 'Like he was going to be there long enough to need one,' he thought to himself. "Yeah, I'll be sure to ask," he said aloud.


Gus had debated refusing to do the assignments his father had given him, but then he decided that he really didn't want to antagonize Brian. He hadn't been sent away yet, and it looked like his father was prepared to keep him there if he could get into this school. So, instead of sabotaging his chances of getting into Bramley Hall, Gus was actually working very hard to do the assignments carefully and correctly. He figured he owed his father, and himself, that much.


"Lunch is almost ready," Mrs. Hadley said. "Clear off your papers and go find your father."


"He's in the library," Gus said as he gathered up his work. "Do you know he sleeps in there some nights?"


"Yes, I know. A few times I've found him sleeping there in the morning."


"At least he gets some sleep then."


Gus went to find his father. He heard him on the phone in the library.


"Greg, please reconsider. I need to be here for Gus. Just think about coming out here tonight … or I could come and get you … You'd like Gus, I know you would … Call me back when you decide."


Then all was silence. Brian must have hung up the phone. Gus stepped through the doorway. "Why don't you go to Pittsburgh if he's that important to you?" Gus demanded. "Lunch is ready, but I'm not hungry."


Gus turned around and ran up to his room.


"Fuck!" Brian reacted. He got up and followed his son upstairs. When he opened the door to Gus' room he saw Gus lying on the bed with his face buried in his pillow. He hadn't meant for Gus to hear that phone call. It was just that he hadn't seen Greg for a couple of days and he really needed the man. Brian hesitated not sure what to say to his son.


"Gus?"


"Go away!"


Brian looked around trying to find inspiration about what to say to his son. He noticed the pile of papers that had been thrown against the wall apparently when Gus had entered his room. Brian knew these were the assignments for Bramley Hall. He started picking up the papers realizing that Gus had already made a good start on getting them completed. He started to read one page. It was an essay about why he wanted to go to Bramley Hall.


"I want to make my father proud of me," was the first sentence. Brian blinked hard. He didn't want to cry, but those words really hit his heart.


"Gus, please talk to me," Brian said softly.


"No!" Gus' face remained hidden in his pillow.


"Gus, tell me what's wrong."


"No."


"Please!"


Gus raised his head and looked at his father. He couldn't remember ever hearing his father beg like that. Brian's face was full of pain. "I heard you talking to him. He's more important to you than I am, so go away. Be with him." Gus stuck his face back in his pillow to hide his tears.


"Gus, nobody is more important to me than you," Brian stated.


"Liar! You never come home anymore. You're always in Pittsburgh and I know you're with him."


Brian felt like he had been kicked in the gut. Gus was telling him exactly what he didn't want to hear, but it was also the truth. "I have been spending a lot of time with Greg," Brian admitted, "but that doesn't mean I don't love you."


"That's why I haven't seen you for days, right?" Gus asked sarcastically his words muffled by the pillow.


"Gus, let me explain. I … haven't found anybody since… I haven't been able… I just found Greg and I really like him. He likes me too." Brian stopped not knowing how to explain this any better to a twelve almost thirteen year old.


"What about Justin?" Gus' voice asked from the depths of the pillow.


"What about him?"


"I … I thought you loved Justin. You still have all those pictures of him … and the paintings."


"Justin is gone. I … I'm trying to make something with Greg."


"But what if Justin came back?"


"Enough about Justin! He's not coming back."


"But…"


"Gus, I love you. I truly do. I want you to get a good education and have a good life. I can see how much you've already done on these assignments. I'm … proud of you."


"No, you're not!" Gus said tears returning to his eyes. "I'm a screw-up. I ruin everything and this won't be any different."


"It can be different if we work together," Brian said venturing the few steps to Gus' bed and sitting on the edge next to his son. "I'm willing to give it a shot if you are."


"But what about Greg?"


"I'd like you to meet him. He's come to mean … something to me."


"I heard you on the phone. He doesn't want to meet me, does he?"


"He doesn't know you, Gus. The whole family thing is a little overwhelming for him."


"How young is he?"


"Younger than me."


"As young as Justin?"


"Um … probably. Why?"


"No reason."


"If I can get him to come here, will you give him a chance?"


Gus hesitated. Everything he had heard about this guy didn't make him want to meet him. However, Gus knew his father was giving him a chance so maybe he should do the same thing for this Greg. "Okay."


Brian smiled. "Thank you, Gus. Let's go get some lunch, and maybe I can talk Greg into coming out for a swim later today."


Gus was about to say something rude, but he bit his tongue. "Okay."


Brian put his arm around Gus' shoulders and pulled him into a hug. He felt the rigidity of Gus' body but he held on anyway. Gus finally relaxed into the hug.


"It's you and me against the world," Brian whispered.


'And Greg,' Gus thought to himself.


Lunch was pretty silent but they managed to get through it. Gus went up to his room afterwards to work on his assignments. Brian was waiting for Greg to arrive. The man had promised to come as soon as he could get away. Brian wanted him to like the house and most of all to like Gus.


Late in the afternoon a Mazda Miata pulled into the drive at Britin. Brian was out the door immediately to meet Greg. He pulled the man into a long, burning kiss.


Gus watched from one of the bedrooms upstairs. He had been sitting in there working on his assignments. He would have preferred to be in the study off the master bedroom with its comfortable window seat. But Gus wanted to get a look at this Greg before he had to meet him. He figured if he stayed in the bedroom next to his father's he could work on the floor and he would hear any car that pulled in.


Gus watched the kiss and saw the smile on Brian's face when he finally released this man. The kiss didn't bother Gus as much as the look on Greg's face. He seemed to be very impressed with the mansion. He was looking around and taking it all in while he pretended to listen to Brian. Gus frowned. He had seen kids at school do the same thing. It usually meant they wanted whatever they were looking at. Sometimes they beat up the person who had what they wanted, and then they took the treasure. Gus shuddered as he wondered what Greg would do to get what he wanted.


Suddenly Gus heard his father calling his name. He gathered up his papers and called out, "Coming." He dropped his work off in his room before heading downstairs.


"Gus, I want you to meet Greg Fernley," Brian said as Gus came down the stairs.


"Hello, Gus," Greg said, but he didn't hold out his hand for Gus to shake.


"Hi," Gus replied as he watched Greg carefully.


Greg seemed to understand what Gus was doing and he raised an eyebrow. Gus had no doubt that they understood each other. Greg didn't seem to like that fact very much.


"I thought we could go for a swim before dinner," Brian said not seeming to pick up on the tense vibes passing between his son and his lover. "Did you bring your suit?"


"I was hoping I might not need one, but I brought it anyway," Greg laughed.


Brian frowned. That was hardly an appropriate thing to say in front of Gus. "But you do have one?" Brian asked again. Greg nodded.


"I don't have to swim," Gus said. "I could work on my assignments."


"I want you two to get to know each other," Brian said. "Let's all get changed." He gave Gus a look saying that he didn't want any argument.


Gus walked back upstairs and went into his room. As he closed his door, he saw his father push Greg into the bedroom across the hall. Gus wondered how long he'd have to wait for them to come out. He shook his head not wanting to think about what they might be doing. He changed into his swimsuit and ran downstairs diving into the pool as quickly as he could. Maybe he could tire himself out and be able to go back upstairs when the two men came down. He swam laps back and forth, back and forth, for a long time before Brian and Greg put in an appearance.


They both looked very satisfied with themselves as they walked out onto the deck of the pool with their skimpy bathing suits. Gus noticed that his father had a hand on Greg's back in a very familiar manner. His dislike for Greg grew even larger. He didn't think this guy really appreciated his father.


"Hey, Gus, wasn't it?" Greg asked as he sat down on the side of the pool.


Gus looked up and nodded. How dense was this guy! Gus had heard his name used at least five times. Greg had heard the same. Couldn't the guy even remember it for a few minutes? It only told Gus that Greg didn't want to know his name, didn't want anything to do with him, wished he wasn't there.


Brian dove into the pool. He swam up behind Gus and dunked him under the water.


"Hey," Gus sputtered as he came up for air. He skimmed his hand across the water and drenched his father.


"You're going to pay for that, Sonny Boy," Brian laughed as he made a grab for Gus.


Gus backed away and grabbed for the side of the pool. As he did, he caught Greg's foot and pulled it down with him. Greg tumbled unceremoniously into the water. He came up coughing and cursing.


"Fuck!" was the first word out of Greg's mouth. "I didn't come here to be drowned. I'm really not much of a swimmer," he said as he hauled himself out of the water. He wasn't even actually in the deep end.


"Are you all right?" Brian asked getting out and following Greg away from the pool.


"I could have hit my head and been knocked unconscious," Greg griped as he grabbed a towel and wiped himself off.


Gus snorted to himself from the deep end of the pool where he was treading water and watching what was happening between his father and this man.


"I'm sorry, Greg," Brian was saying. "It was an accident."


"I don't think your kid likes me. He deliberately pulled me in."


"I'm sure that's not the case. Gus, apologize," Brian said, turning back to Gus.


"I didn't mean to do it," Gus said grudgingly. He almost wished he had thrown Greg in deliberately.


"That's not a very good apology," Brian stated.


"I … I'm sorry." Gus could see Greg's smirk behind his father's back. At that moment Gus truly hated this new man in his father's life.


"That's better," Brian said as he turned back to Greg to console him some more.


Gus watched the smirk disappear and a look of hurt take its place. The guy was playing his father.


Dinner was rather silent. Gus, Brian and Greg ate barbecue out by the pool. Mrs. Hadley had made them a humungous salad to go with the steaks Brian barbecued. Gus had gone upstairs after the 'Greg in the pool' incident. He couldn't stand seeing his father being so solicitous of someone who obviously didn't deserve it. When he came down for dinner the two men were dressed and had that same satisfied look they'd had before they started swimming. Gus wrinkled his nose at the thought. He wished that was all Greg wanted with his father, but he knew the man wanted more, and Gus didn't like what he was sure Greg wanted.


"Did you get some of your assignments finished?" Brian asked his son.


"A few. I'm getting there."


"If you can finish them by next weekend, we can take them to the principal for the Monday before school starts. Then he can make the decision about you going there."


"I'll try to get them done," Gus said.


"That would make life a lot simpler if you did. I'd like to read them before you give them to Mr. Jennings."


"Um, what are you two talking about?" Greg asked. "Sounds like you have to do schoolwork over the summer."


"I do."


"That sucks," Greg smirked.


"It doesn't suck," Brian corrected his lover. "Gus has some catching up to do."


"Not so great in the brains department, eh kid?" Greg continued with a satisfied smirk on his face.


"Greg," Brian interrupted trying to stop Greg from saying something that would totally turn Gus off doing his assignments.


"Oh, I'm a real dumbass, but I have enough brains to know about you," Gus retorted. He stood up, flung down his napkin and ran up to his room.


"He really seems to have taken a shine to me," Greg grinned. "Don't ya think?"


"That was uncalled for," Brian said standing up.


"Don't go after him," Greg said. "Kids just want everything their own way. He's jealous that I have some of your time now."


"You think that's it?" Brian asked. He hoped that was all there was to Gus' tantrum, but he suspected there was more to it than that.


"I'm sure, like I know anything about kids," Greg laughed. "If I was Gus, I'd be jealous of me," Greg said with some kind of convoluted logic.


Brian sat back down. "Maybe I'll let him cool off a bit before I speak to him," Brian said with a sigh.


"Good idea, and meanwhile I'll keep you entertained," Greg whispered as he leaned across the table for a kiss.


Mrs. Hadley watched from the kitchen. She had always known Mr. Kinney was gay, but she had never seen him with another man. She wondered what was so special about this Greg person. She didn't find him anywhere near in Mr. Kinney's class. She supposed the sex had to be very good, because the man didn't have much of a brain in his head. Although he had had enough smarts to start driving a wedge between Gus and his father. She wondered if there was anything she could do about that.


Gus sat on the bed in his bedroom. He was trying to read "Harry Potter", but he was also trying to block out Greg Fernley and everything he represented. He wondered why he could remember Greg's name so easily when Greg couldn't remember his. He wondered if there was anything he could do to help his father. The problem was his father didn't want help getting rid of Greg. He would be much happier to be rid of Gus.


Brian cleaned off the table and carried the dishes into the kitchen to Mrs. Hadley. He wished Greg would get off his ass and help out a bit, but the man was a guest so that couldn't really be expected. He wondered if there was any way he could make Greg and Gus get along. They seemed to dislike each other right from the first meeting. There probably wasn't anything that could be done.


Greg lounged back in his chair. He had asked Brian for some brandy to finish off dinner. Brian had brought the bottle along with two snifters. It was quality booze and Greg was enjoying it. He could really get used to living in this place especially if Brian decided that Greg didn't need to work. He would be perfectly happy to be Brian's boy toy. He didn't really like the law very much anyway, and he wasn't really very good at it. He wondered if there was anything he could do about that kid of Kinney's. He was a brat, and Greg would like this place a whole lot more if whatsisname wasn't there.


"Mr. Kinney," Mrs. Hadley began. "Will your friend be staying the night?"


"I … I don't know yet," Brian replied. He knew he wanted Greg to stay but things had not quite gone the way he had hoped. "Why?" Brian wondered if Mrs. Hadley was going to get all uptight now that he had brought someone to the house.


"I wondered how many to expect for breakfast."


"Plan on three of us."


"Certainly."


"Thank you."


"I … I don't want to intrude but perhaps you should have a word with Gus."


"Why?"


"He seemed upset."


"I thought I'd let him calm down."


"He may interpret that as you not caring."


"I suppose," Brian said with a sigh. It was so much easier when he didn't have to worry about anybody but himself. He looked out at the patio where Greg lounged in the setting sun. He felt his dick grow bigger at the sight. He still wanted the man in spite of all the problems. "I'll talk to Gus in the morning," Brian said as he went out to Greg.


Mrs. Hadley watched him go and shook her head. Mr. Kinney seemed besotted with this man, and there was nothing she could do about it.


"Greg," Brian said, "let's go upstairs."


"I thought you'd never ask," Greg smiled. He grabbed the brandy bottle and stood somewhat unsteadily on his feet. "I could use a strong shoulder to lean against," he laughed suggestively.


Brian moved to him and put his arm around Greg's waist. They started to walk into the house. Mrs. Hadley went quickly to her quarters. She didn't enjoy seeing her boss make a fool of himself, and potentially be making the biggest mistake of his life.


Brian helped Greg up the stairs and they were kissing by the time they reached the top. They were both hard as Brian opened the door to his bedroom.


"I thought you'd have a bigger bedroom," Greg muttered before the door closed.


Across the hall Gus heard them and frowned. He hated this Greg more and more. He knew what Greg was getting at. He wanted the master bedroom and he would probably get it. He wanted his father and he would probably get him too if the noises emanating from Brian's bedroom meant anything. Greg wanted Gus gone, and he would probably get that too.


Greg shoved his ass up in the air and Brian drove into him. "Ah, that's what I've been waiting for," Greg purred.


Brian smiled. "Happy to oblige."


"Too bad we had to waste all that time with dinner and swimming and your kid."


Brian thrust hard and frowned. "I didn't think we were wasting time," he gasped as his orgasm built.


"You know what I mean," Greg panted. He was almost there. "Oh yeah, right there. Harder."

 

Brian rammed in again and again, and then he was cumming. As he rolled away, he had a fleeting thought that he did know what Greg had meant and he wasn't sure he liked it.

Chapter 11 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 11


They were well into the third day since Greg Fernley had arrived and he was now firmly ensconced at Britin. He slept in Brian's room, ate Brian's food, drank Brian's liquor and generally made himself to home. Gus did his best to avoid the man but he was forced to eat meals with Greg and his father. They were talking about going furniture shopping so they could have a proper dining room suite. Mrs. Hadley should have been happy about that, but she saw it as the beginning of the end.


"I want another cup of coffee," Greg said as he flipped through the newspaper. Gus looked at Mrs. Hadley who looked at Brian. Brian got up and brought the coffee pot to the table. He filled Greg's cup and added a bit to his own. Gus wondered if he did that so it didn't look too much like he was waiting on Greg.


"Don't you have to go to work or something?" Gus asked.


Greg raised an eyebrow. "Surely you know it's Sunday, little boy."


"I know, and I'm not a little boy," Gus said, "but tomorrow's Monday. Are you going then?"


Brian was carrying the coffee pot back to the coffee machine. Greg mouthed, "You wish," at Gus. Gus scowled in return.


"Do you have to go to work tomorrow, Greg?" Brian asked as he sat down again.


"I could take some time off if you want," Greg said with a big smile. He'd already told the law firm he worked for that he was taking next week off.


"I'd like that," Brian said looking into Greg's eyes.


Gus wanted to puke. He wasn't sure what he was going to do, but somehow he had to make this man go away, had to get him out of his father's life. Gus got up from the table and almost made it out of the kitchen before his father noticed.


"Gus," Brian said stopping the boy in his tracks. "Would you like to come furniture shopping with Greg and me this afternoon?"


"No thanks," Gus said and then almost changed his mind when he saw the look of triumph on Greg's face. If it didn't mean that he'd have to spend more time with the man, he would go with them just to piss Greg off.


Brian shrugged. He would have liked Gus to come with them. But maybe this would be better. He and Greg could have some time alone, and Brian could try to convince his lover to be nicer to his son. He wanted Gus and Greg to get along.


"May I be excused?" Gus asked.


Brian nodded and Gus quickly left the room.


"I'd like another cup of coffee," Greg said picking up his empty cup and waggling it at Mrs. Hadley.


She frowned but brought the pot over and poured him another cup. "Will that be all?" she asked Brian.


"Yes, thanks," Brian said somewhat sheepishly. He wished Greg wouldn't treat Mrs. Hadley like that. "Breakfast was delicious," Brian added. "Wasn't it, Greg?"


"Oh, yeah." Greg just didn't seem to get the concept of being nice to people.


"Thank you … both," Mrs. Hadley replied pointedly. "Would you mind if I took Gus with me this afternoon? I want to visit my daughter for an hour or two."


"No, that would be fine, but you better check if he is willing to go. He can be stubborn and I really don't want him left on his own."


"I'll speak to him now," Mrs. Hadley said as she replaced the coffee pot and headed upstairs.


"I hope Gus goes with her. We could fuck the afternoon away with no interruptions," Greg smiled his best at Brian.


"I thought you wanted furniture."


"We can get that tomorrow … since I'm staying."


"Okay," Brian said smiling at some things he wanted to try with Greg. The man seemed up for anything, and he did mean anything.


+++++


"Is this where your daughter lives?" Gus asked as Mrs. Hadley brought her car to a stop in front of a small brick house in a town about half an hour from Britin.


"Yes, it is. Come along, Gus."


They walked up the little walkway and Mrs. Hadley knocked on the door. It opened to reveal a pleasant looking young woman holding a baby about two years old.


"Mum," The woman said and reached out to hug her mother. The little girl giggled and gave her grandmother a kiss.


"And how's Emma today?" Mrs. Hadley asked.


"Good," the child grinned at her grandmother.


"Emma and Susan, I'd like you to meet Gus. He's Mr. Kinney's son."


"Hello, Gus," Susan said. "Come on in."


They all went inside where they spent a couple of hours talking and laughing. Gus mostly watched, but they did draw him into the conversation a couple of times. Once was when Mrs. Hadley asked about her son-in-law who was off somewhere playing in a baseball game. Gus thought he might like to play baseball or some other sport, but had never really had the chance to get interested in one. Mrs. Hadley filed that away for future use.


As they finished their tea and cookies, Mrs. Hadley reached into her big purse and pulled out a neatly wrapped package with a big bow. "This is one of your birthday presents, Emma," Mrs. Hadley said as she handed the package to her granddaughter. "I thought you might like it now so that you could use it for your birthday."


Susan helped Emma open the package which contained the little embroidered dress that Gus had seen Mrs. Hadley working on in the kitchen. It was beautiful now that it was finished. All of them oohed and aahed over the dress before Susan took Emma and the empty cookie plate to the kitchen. They reappeared after a couple of minutes with Emma wearing the new dress.


"You look beautiful," Gus said.


Emma blushed and hid behind her mother's leg.


"It really is lovely, Mum. Emma will wear it for her party."


Mrs. Hadley smiled as she got up and gave Emma a kiss and hug. They made their way to the door and then back to the car.


"Thanks for bringing me today, Mrs. Hadley," Gus said.


"You're very welcome, Gus. I hope it wasn't too boring."


Gus shook his head. "You really made her a great dress."


Mrs. Hadley smiled as they pulled away. "Would you like to stop for ice cream? There's a little shop in town."


"Yeah, thanks."


Over ice cream sundaes, Mrs. Hadley broached a subject she knew she shouldn't. "Gus, I'd like to ask you something."


"Okay."


"You don't like your father's new … friend, do you?"


"No." The answer was firm and direct and Mrs. Hadley knew how much Gus meant it. It was just as she had suspected.


"May I ask why?" she inquired.


"He can't even remember my fucking name!" Gus blurted out.


"Gus!" Mrs. Hadley said somewhat shocked at the vehemence more so than the actual word.


"Sorry, but I can't stand Greg Fernley, and I can remember his name without any fucking trouble at all."


"Why do you feel so strongly about him?" Gus frowned and hesitated to answer. He wasn't sure how much he should reveal, but Mrs. Hadley had always been kind and fair with him. "It won't go any farther than my ears," Mrs. Hadley promised.


"You mean that?" She nodded. "When I was in grade five, I got a Walkman for Christmas. We didn't have a lot of money and I had begged for one for weeks, even asked Santa for it. Anyway, I got it for Christmas and I was so happy. I took it to school to show everybody. This kid started watching me and looking at the Walkman. He had the same look on his face that Greg has when he looks at the mansion and at Dad's liquor and at … Dad."


"I see," Mrs. Hadley said clearing her throat. She thought she knew what came next but she wanted Gus to get it all out. "So what happened to your Walkman?"


"This kid caught me after school one day. He punched me and knocked me down. He took the Walkman and said if I ever told anyone he'd really beat the crap out of me."


"And you never told?"


"Not till now."


"So you think Greg is like that kid?"


"He wants me gone. I can see it in everything he does. And the way Dad is where this guy is concerned, I'll probably get kicked out." Gus shook his head sadly and pushed the rest of his sundae away. He had suddenly lost all appetite for it. The prospect of his father abandoning him too was almost more than he could stand.


"I don't think your father would send you away," Mrs. Hadley said gently patting Gus' hand.


"You don't see what I've seen."


"What do you mean?"


"He knows that I know what he's after. He taunts me, and he uses every opportunity to poison Dad against me."


"Oh Gus, I'm sure that's not…"


"Don't tell me I'm wrong because I know I'm not."


"Well then," Mrs. Hadley said straightening up. "Perhaps it's time we did something about Mr. Fernley."


"Huh?" Gus stared at her in disbelief.


"Maybe if we work together we can get this man out of your father's life."


"You mean it?" Gus grinned. "You don't like him either, do you?"


"No, I don't. I know it's not my place to be involved in this, but I will not allow this man to hurt you and your father and drive you apart."


"But what can we do?"


"I have no idea," Mrs. Hadley said. "I was hoping you did."


Gus laughed. "You're going to take advice from me?"


"You know your father and some of his history, probably better than I do. Is there anyone who might talk some sense into him?"


Gus frowned and thought hard. "There's Grandma Debbie, but she…"


"What?"


"She tends to be a little harsh with Dad. I don't know if he always listens to her."


"Hm…anyone else?"


Then the thought hit Gus. "I was reading the back of your newspaper the other day and it said that there was going to be an art gallery opening for Justin Taylor. He might be able to help us."


"Who is Justin Taylor?"


Gus smiled. "Have you noticed all the pictures around the house with Dad and a blond man?"


"Yes."


"That's Justin. They were together when I was a little kid. I don't remember Justin too well, but I think they really loved each other."


"Oh my, bringing an old love back into this might not be such a good idea."


"But if I got a chance to speak to Justin, and find out if he still has any feelings for my father…"


"Maybe your dad still has feelings for him too."


"I think he does, but Dad would never admit it. He bought Britin for Justin."


"Oh!" Now it all suddenly made sense to Mrs. Hadley. "And he's kept it all these years … waiting." Gus nodded. "I think we should try to find this Justin Taylor."


"Let's go home and look it up in the paper. Maybe Justin is already in Pittsburgh getting ready for his show," Gus said.


They quickly left the ice cream shop and headed for home. Mrs. Hadley checked several newspapers until she found the one about the opening. It would be next weekend, so this Justin Taylor might already be in town.


"Gus, how would you feel about a trip into Pittsburgh tomorrow?" Mrs. Hadley smiled.


"Sounds good to me. Would we be stopping at an art gallery by any chance?" Gus grinned.


"I think we just might."


"Do … do we need some sort of excuse about why we're going?" Gus asked.


"How would you like to see the last of the Harry Potter movies? It's out right now."


"Wow! Could we?"


"That was supposed to be our excuse," Mrs. Hadley laughed. "But I suppose we could see the movie too."


"That would be great."


Suddenly they heard noise from the dining room. Brian and Greg came through the door locked in a heated kiss as they stumbled towards the fridge.


"Ahem," Mrs. Hadley cleared her throat.


Brian jumped and pulled back. Greg turned to Gus and the housekeeper and grinned. It was almost like he was gloating, almost like he knew they were there.


"Fuck! You scared me," Brian said wiping his lips and straightening his shirt. At least he had thrown some clothes on before they came down to get some beer and snacks.


"I'm sorry we interrupted," Mrs. Hadley said stiffly. "Did you get some furniture?"


"Um … no," Brian stumbled. "We didn't go out. We'll do that tomorrow."


"I see."


Greg grinned and looked triumphantly at the kid and the housekeeper. This was better than he could have wished. Now they had both got an eyeful of him and Brian together. The kid would be furious and he could use that against him. He wasn't quite sure what to make of the housekeeper. He'd have to play that one carefully.


"We went back to bed for a while," Greg smirked. "Now we need some beer and something to eat." Greg looked at Mrs. Hadley pointedly.


"I'll be making dinner shortly," she said abruptly.


"Um … why don't we wait for dinner?" Brian said. "Grab us each a beer."


Greg looked annoyed but moved to the fridge.


"Dad, if you're going out tomorrow, Mrs. Hadley says she will take me to Pittsburgh to see the last Harry Potter movie. Can I go?"


"Um … sure … yeah. I don't see why not." Brian looked at Mrs. Hadley asking silently what was going on.


"We got to talking in the car," Mrs. Hadley said. "I know how much Gus likes Harry Potter and it is the last of the movies. I want to see it too."


"I'm sure that will be fine," Brian agreed as Greg handed him a beer. "Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Brian asked Gus.


"No, I really want to see this movie," Gus said choosing his words carefully. He wanted to scream at his father that he didn't want to go anywhere with his fucking boyfriend. He'd rather be dead than in the same car with Greg Fernley.


"Then, a movie it is. Don't be too late getting back."


"I won't."


"You still have the rest of your assignments to get done for next Friday."


"I know."


"Good boy," Brian said squeezing Gus' shoulder. "Have fun at the movie."


"We will," Gus said giving Greg a smirk that matched the one Greg had been sporting earlier. Greg frowned wondering what had brought this on. Gus knew the man was far too dense to figure anything out, but he didn't want him trying to figure this out either. Gus wiped the smirk off his face and tried to look neutral.


"Let's go back upstairs," Greg said to Brian.


"You go ahead," Brian replied handing him his beer bottle. "I'll be up in a moment."


Greg reluctantly left the kitchen.


"Gus, sit down for a minute," Brian said.


Mrs. Hadley started bringing out food from the fridge and preparing to start dinner. She was really listening intently to what Brian was about to say. Gus reluctantly sat down. He hoped he wasn't going to get another lecture about how he should try to like Greg and get along with him. Brian sat across from Gus and collected his thoughts.


"I see that you don't like Greg very much," Brian said bluntly.


"Dad?"


"Don't interrupt. I wanted you to like Greg when I invited him out here. I hoped he would like you too. That doesn't seem to be happening. However, I want you to understand something, Gus. Are you listening?"


"Yes."


"Greg is … becoming very important to me. He is staying here next week … and maybe longer if things go well. If you don't like it, please try to keep that to yourself. I've already asked you to give him a chance. If you can't do that, then try to stay away from him, because Greg's here and that's a fact of life."


Gus stared into his father's eyes and he knew there was no point in arguing. "Okay," Gus said.


Brian stood and looked down at his son. "Good." And then he left to go find his lover.


"Fuck!" Gus breathed out. "It's worse than we thought. He's got Dad wrapped around his little finger."


"Gus, you need to be careful about what you say," Mrs. Hadley advised.


"I hate this! I hate that Greg gets whatever he wants. He's going to ruin everything. He's going to hurt Dad."


"You may be right about that but you need to be careful for now. After we see Justin Taylor, we can decide more fully what to do."


"Yeah, I hope Justin will help us."


"Don't build your hopes on Justin's help. He might not want anything to do with this situation," Mrs. Hadley said feeling the need to warn Gus that things might not go the way he hoped.


"Justin was nice. He always played with me … from what I can remember."


"That's nice, Gus."


"I think he wanted Dad to be happy. Greg can't do that for my father. I know it."


"But right now he does make your father happy. I think finding someone, anyone, has been very difficult for your father. It doesn't happen easily, and he will have trouble letting it go."


"I'm not sure I follow all that, but I know Justin will help us."


Mrs. Hadley sighed. The faith of the young was not easy to contradict. "Go wash up for dinner. It will be ready in a while."


"Okay," Gus said standing up. "Thanks for taking me to meet your daughter and granddaughter."


Mrs. Hadley smiled. "You're welcome, Gus."


"That really was a beautiful dress you made for Emma."


"Maybe you can come to her birthday party," Mrs. Hadley suggested.


"I don't know, maybe," Gus said. He wondered if he's still be there in a couple of weeks.


"We'll see as the time gets closer."


"Thanks for inviting me anyway. It's nice to be included. I can hardly wait till tomorrow."


Mrs. Hadley shook her head as Gus bounced out of the room. She knew he was banking everything on this Justin Taylor, but she had no idea how the man might react when asked to help his old lover.


Chapter 12 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 12


Mrs. Hadley pulled her car into a parking space near the Sidney Bloom Gallery. She and Gus sat staring at the front door of the building wondering how best to proceed.


"My mom used to work here," Gus said suddenly. "Her boss was Mr. Bloom. She often said she wished she could get a job like she had here, and have a boss like Mr. Bloom."


"Really?" Mrs. Hadley said with interest. "Maybe we should ask for Mr. Bloom and see what we can find out."


"Okay," Gus said ready to get the show on the road.


They made their way inside and were met by someone who asked if he could be of help.


"Is Mr. Bloom available?" Mrs. Hadley asked.


"Who might I say is asking?"


"I'm Muriel Hadley."


"And I'm Gus Marcus-Peterson," Gus said confidently. "Mr. Bloom used to know my mom."


"Oh," the man said. "Please wait here and I'll inform Mr. Bloom."


Mrs. Hadley looked at Gus and nodded. Maybe the connection with Gus' mother would get them what they wanted. After a couple of minutes while they looked at some paintings, Sidney Bloom appeared.


"Gus?" he said looking at the boy.


"Yes," Gus replied.


"Well, my goodness, it's been a long time since I saw you. You were just a toddler the last time."


"I've grown up a bit since then," Gus said proudly. He saw Mrs. Hadley smile.


"Are you here with your mother?" Sidney asked. "I'd love to see her." He looked around like Lindsay might be hiding behind a post or something.


"I'm living with my father now."


"Oh."


"Um … we saw the ad about Justin having a show here. We wanted to get in touch with him. Is he in Pittsburgh?"


"No, he's still in Europe," Sidney said.


Gus felt his determination melt away. Justin wasn't here and he wasn't going to help them.


"That's too bad," Mrs. Hadley said speaking for the first time. "I'm Mr. Kinney's housekeeper. We were hoping to have a word with Mr. Taylor, but if he's not here…"


"He arrives on Wednesday," Sidney said seeing how much they wanted to get in touch with Justin. "He's going to be awfully busy, but I promise to tell him you were here and you were looking for him. Do you have a number where you can be reached?"


Mrs. Hadley took out a pad and pen from her purse. She seemed to have everything in that purse, but oddly, she could find whatever was needed immediately. She wrote the number of her private line at the mansion on the pad. "This is my number, but I would see that Gus got the message," she said.


"I'll give this to Justin. If you're talking to your mother, please remember me to her."


"Yes, sir," Gus said as they turned to leave. "Um … do you have any of Justin's work up yet?" Gus asked.


"Actually we're working our way from the back with the pieces for Justin's show. Would you like a sneak preview? It's very good."


"Could we?" Gus asked.


Sidney nodded and walked them towards the back of the gallery.


"Wow!" Gus gasped as he saw the first piece. "That's really great!"


"I think so too," Sidney laughed.


Gus walked around looking at the other six or eight pieces that had been hung. They were large and powerful, except for one that hung by itself. It was much more subdued and held a human form. Gus could almost believe that it was his father surrounded by clouds of sadness, at least that's what it seemed like to him. He turned away not wanting to look at it anymore. If Justin felt like that about his father, he probably wouldn't want to talk to them.


"I think we better go," Gus said to Mrs. Hadley. "We wouldn't want to miss the movie."


She gave him a look, but they started towards the front door.


"Gus, it was good to see you," Sidney called. "And you too, Mrs. Hadley."


She nodded as they went out the door.


"It's hopeless," Gus said when they got in the car. "Justin must hate my father. That piece was so sad."


"I saw the sadness too, but I don't think it was tinged with hate," Mrs. Hadley said with a faint smile.


"You don't?"


"I think it was tinged with love."


Gus studied the side of Mrs. Hadley's face as she started the car and drove away.


+++++


When Gus and Mrs. Hadley returned late that afternoon, they discovered that Brian's car and the Miata were both parked next to the house.


Gus made a face that was not lost on Mrs. Hadley. "They may have taken the Corvette," she said.


"Most likely they never went at all. They're upstairs fucking." Gus scowled and shook his head.


"Gus!"


"Sorry, but I hate that guy."


"We have to be patient. Maybe Justin will call on Wednesday."


"Yeah, right! This'll go the same way everything else in my life has gone … down the toilet."


Once inside the house, Mrs. Hadley began making some dinner not having been instructed otherwise. Gus sat at the kitchen table working on his assignments. Some time later Brian appeared looking slightly tired but well satisfied at the same time.


"I didn't hear you two come in," he said as he grabbed a couple of bottles of water from the fridge.


"I wonder why," Gus muttered.


"What?"


"I thought you and … Greg were going out."


"We changed our minds. There's always tomorrow."


"Sure," Gus said with a shrug.


"Is something wrong?" Brian asked with a frown.


"No, everything's just peachy," Gus snarked using one of his father's favorite expressions.


"Gus!" Brian reacted. Mrs. Hadley shook her head at him. "Did you two enjoy the movie?"


"It was awesome," Gus replying with genuine emotion for the first time.


"I never really got the whole fascination with wizards," Brian said.


"Mr. Kinney," Mrs. Hadley admonished with a smile. "Remember where I got those books in the first place."


"Oh right," Brian said. She had got them from him.


"I think it would be neat to be a wizard," Gus explained.


Brian opened his bottle of water, took a drink and sat down at the table with Gus. "What would be neat about it?" Brian smiled wanting to hear what Gus would say.


"It would be great to have an owl like Hedwig and send messages that way."


"That is pretty cool," Brian agreed.


"And then I'd know how to make potions and cast spells," Gus continued. Brian smiled at his son's enthusiasm.


"Brian!" a whiny voice said from the doorway. It was Greg, of course. "I thought you were coming right back."


"Um … I was talking to Gus."


"Come on," Greg whined.


Brian stood and picked up his water and the one he had got for Greg. "Maybe we can finish this at dinner."


"Sure," Gus scowled as his father walked away to join Greg. "And maybe I can cast a spell to make him disappear," Gus said staring at the unwanted guest's back as he and his father left the kitchen.


"Dinner in an hour," Mrs. Hadley called.


The next day went by with much the same results. Gus worked on his assignments and swam a little and worried a lot about whether Justin would call. Brian and Greg stayed in the bedroom most of the day and did not go furniture shopping that day either. Just after dinner was finished, the mansion phone rang.


Mrs. Hadley waited for Mr. Kinney to answer. When he didn't, she finally picked up the kitchen extension. "Kinney residence," she said formally.


"Oh, um, yes, is Brian available?" a female voice enquired.


"Mr. Kinney is not available at the moment," Mrs. Hadley replied assuming that her employer would not enjoy being interrupted. "May I take a message?"


"Um … could I speak to Gus?"


"Who … who is this?"


"I'm Gus' mother."


"Oh, one moment, please." Mrs. Hadley put her hand over the mouthpiece and turned to Gus who was once again working on the projects for Bramley Hall at her kitchen table. "Gus," she said softly. "It's a woman saying she is your mother."


"Mom?" he asked as he ran to get the phone. "Mom? Mom? Is that really you?"


"Gus, oh Gus! How are you, sweetheart?" Lindsay asked breathlessly.


"I … I'm okay. Why haven't you called before?"


"We … we thought it would be best to let you get settled in with your father. You are settled in, aren't you?"


"I guess so," Gus admitted although he could have given her a much longer answer.


"Are you okay, Gus?"


"I'm all right."


"It's good to hear your voice."


"Yours too, Mom."


"Would you like to speak to Melanie?"


"Okay."


"Gus?"


"Hi, Momma."


"Gus, how are things going?"


"Dad's trying to get me into a private school. I've had a ton of makeup work to do."


"Are you trying hard?" Melanie asked.


"I'm doing my best."


"When will you know?"


"We have to hand all the work in this Friday and then I should know by next week."


"Just in time for the beginning of the school year."


"Yeah."


"JR wants to say hello," Melanie said as her daughter tugged on her pant leg.


"She does?" Gus asked in surprise.


"Hi, Gus," Jenny's little voice said.


"Hi, JR."


"I miss you."


"You do?"


"Sometimes."


Gus laughed. At least she was telling the truth. "I miss you too … sometimes."


"Gus," Lindsay's voice interrupted. "We have to go. Will you tell your father that we called? I'd like to talk to him."


"Okay."


"Bye, honey."


"Bye, Mom."


Gus stood looking at the phone for a few seconds after Lindsay cut the connection. He wasn't sure how he felt about talking to his family. They had given him away to his father, but they still seemed interested in how he was doing. Except! No one had said they loved him. No one ever said that anymore. He knew he was unlovable. It hadn't taken long for his father to find that out, and choose Greg over him.


"Gus, hang up the phone, dear," Mrs. Hadley said.


Gus did as he was told, but his head was still reeling with what the call meant. At least they had called. That was the first time he had heard from them since he left Toronto.


"Are you all right, Gus?" Mrs. Hadley asked gently.


"I … I don't know."


"Do you want me to get your father?"


"He won't come."


"Yes, he will."


Gus shook his head. "It doesn't matter."


"It most certainly does." Mrs. Hadley picked up the phone and hit some numbers. Gus could hear it ringing again and again.


Finally it stopped and Brian's breathless voice came on the line. "This better be important."


"Have I ever used this line before?" Mrs. Hadley asked pointedly.


"No."


"Your son needs you."


"What … what happened?"


"He's here in the kitchen. Come down and see."


"Brian, don't go. We were just at a good part," Greg's whiny voice said in the background.


"Mr. Kinney," Mrs. Hadley interrupted. "If you don't come down here right now, I'm bringing Gus up there. What will it be?"


"I'll be right down," Brian said hastily.


"And don't bring that man with you," she added before Brian could hang up.


"Is he coming?" Gus asked. She nodded. "Thanks, for that last part too."


"You need your father. I'll be in my quarters." Mrs. Hadley quietly left the kitchen and went into her quarters. She didn't quite close the door, however.


"Gus? Gus, what's wrong?" Brian asked as he rushed into the kitchen, thankfully alone.


"I … I had a phone call from Mom," Gus said tears in his eyes.


"Fuck! They weren't supposed to call," Brian said his hand on his hip.


"I think they were trying to reach you but when you didn't answer, Mrs. Hadley picked up. Mom asked for me."


"What did you tell her?"


"That I'm … all right?"


"Did she sound worried?"


"No, why should she? She doesn't care anymore about me than you do."


"Gus…"


"Fuck off, Dad!" All Gus' worry and upset began to pour out. "Nobody cares about me! You don't pay any attention to me anymore. You just want to be with Greg. It took Mom weeks to call here and see how I am. They don't care. Nobody wants me!"


Gus put his head down on his arms on the table and sobbed. Brian felt like his heart was being ripped out of his chest.


"Gus, please, don't," Brian begged as he took a couple of steps towards his son. Gus just kept sobbing. Brian reached the table wondering what the hell to do with his son. He could handle defiance and manipulation and bad attitude, but what was he supposed to do with tears? "Gus," he said gently placing his hand on Gus' shoulder and squeezing.


"Dad … I," Gus looked up and then Brian found Gus' arms wrapped around his waist. The boy held on with a viselike grip, like his life depended on never letting go.


Instinctively Brian held Gus, arms around the smaller shoulders as Gus continued to sob. "Tell me what's wrong, Gus. What can I do?"


"Don't send me away. Don't make me go to an orphanage. Please, Dad," Gus begged.


"What are you talking about? Where did you get those ideas? I'm not going to send you away," Brian promised with tears in his own eyes. Had he so neglected his son that Gus thought he was about to be put out of the house?


"You mean it? I can stay?" Gus looked up at his father, eyes full of tears and cheeks red and streaked from crying.


"Of course, you're staying. You're my son."


"What about Greg?"


"What about him?"


"He doesn't want me here."


"That's not true."


"You know it is. He doesn't like me."


"We'll work something out," Brian promised.


"And I don't have to leave."


"Absolutely not."


"I … I got scared. When I talked to Mom and she sounded kind of cold, I thought I'd have nowhere to go."


"You'll always have a place with me."


"I … I guess I feel better now," Gus said wiping at his eyes.


"Mrs. Hadley keeps Kleenex someplace around here," Brian said looking around the kitchen.


"By the phone," Gus said, "but don't leave me."


"You're not wiping your nose on my jeans, are you?" Brian tried to joke.


"Not yet," Gus laughed through his tears.


"Let me get that Kleenex. I'll come right back."


Gus nodded and Brian quickly brought him the box of tissues. Gus wiped his face and blew his nose.


"Are you okay now?" Brian asked. Gus nodded. "Do you want me to stay with you for a while?" Gus nodded again. "Let's go in the library and sit on the sofa."


Together they walked out of the kitchen, Brian's arm around Gus' shoulders.

 

With a smile Mrs. Hadley closed the door to her quarters and picked up the book she had been pretending to read. Now she might actually get through a chapter or two.

Chapter 13 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 13


Gus awoke Wednesday morning full of expectation. Justin would call today. Gus was sure he would. He had to.


Gus lay on his bed staring at the ceiling and thinking for a few minutes. Yesterday had been such a weird day. When Mrs. Hadley had first answered the phone, Gus had been holding his breath. He had prayed it might be Justin even if it was a day earlier than expected. It was rare to get calls on the mansion phone. Most of the time his father used his cell phone to communicate with the outside world. Neither he nor his father seemed to have any friends that called them at home. Gus emitted a long sigh as he realized that.


But then to be called to the phone and actually get to talk to his mom had been … strange. He had been so excited to hear Lindsay's voice. He had thought at first that they might have called to ask him to come home. Maybe they were missing him as much as he was missing them. But that hadn't been the case.


They didn't even really seem that thrilled to talk to him. He had been painfully aware of the reserve in their voices and the carefully worded questions. What the fuck was wrong with him? Why didn't anyone really care about him?


And then there had been that chat with his father. He'd have to thank Mrs. Hadley for making his father come down and talk to him. She had actually threatened Brian Kinney and she had not only got away with it, but she had made him do what she wanted. She had even made Brian come down without Greg. Wow! That had been something.


Brian had taken Gus into the library and they had talked a bit. Brian tried to reassure Gus that he wasn't going to send him away. Gus had tried to get his father to see how Greg was pushing them apart, but Brian was having none of that. At first Brian had tried to change the subject and then he simply told Gus that discussing Greg was off limits. Even though nothing had been settled, Gus felt a little safer about his status in the house. It didn't seem likely that he was going to be sent away any time soon, but Greg was still there standing firmly between him and his father.


Gus threw off his sheet and headed for the shower. He was hungry. He hoped Greg wouldn't be up yet, but if that was the case, his father wouldn't be up either.


Gus had breakfast with Mrs. Hadley. They quietly discussed when Justin might call. Mrs. Hadley tried to keep Gus from getting his hopes up too much. She said if Justin was arriving all the way from Europe he might get there late at night or might be too tired to call. Gus was adamant that Justin would call on Wednesday.


After breakfast, with no sign of Brian or Greg, Gus decided to work on the last of his assignments for Bramley Hall. He thought they had turned out pretty well, but he wanted his father to look them over before they had to be turned in on Friday. There was only a little over a week until school started.


Gus went into the master bedroom and through to the study where he curled up in the bay window that he had learned to love. He had to write an essay on the importance of mathematics in everyday life. What a stupid topic! That's why he had left it as one of his last assignments. He tried to think of ways that you needed math to get things done every day. He was lost in thought when he heard a noise from the bedroom.


Gus jumped. He always felt guilty when he was in there. His father had found him that one time and he hadn't been exactly mad at him, but he hadn't been pleased either. Gus held his breath as he heard someone moving around in the main bedroom. Suddenly a figure filled the doorway to the study and Gus looked up to see Greg glaring at him.


"So this is where you hide out all the time," Greg said with a sneer. "You'll have to find a new place to disappear." The intent that Gus should disappear altogether was very clear in Greg's words and voice.


"I like it here," Gus countered.


"Too bad. Your father and I need more room and this will do very nicely." Greg waved his hand around in what appeared to be a grand manner. "Looks like you'll have to find somewhere else to play."


"I wasn't playing. I was working," Gus said indignantly.


"Oh right," Greg laughed. "You flunked the last grade and you're trying to make it up in time for the new school year. Like that's about to happen!"


Gus felt tears of anger and frustration well up inside of him. He was about to scream something foul at this idiot, but he remembered that Justin was going to call. He had to stay calm until he could tell Justin what was going on, and then Justin would help him fix it.


Grabbing up his books and papers, Gus quickly got up and headed for his room. Fuck Greg Fernley! Fuck him to Hell!


"Gus?" Brian said as he came out of his bedroom and saw Gus stomping down the hall.


Gus swept past his father and went into his room. He slammed the door hard enough to make the wood shiver and then immediately locked it.


"Gus?" Brian's voice came through the door. "Gus, what's wrong? Gus, talk to me!"


Silently Gus sat on his bed staring at the door. He heard Brian try the handle and then all was quiet outside. Gus threw himself down on the bed and the tears came. He couldn't have anything of his own, even that one little place in the bay window. Greg was taking everything away from him including his father.


Brian saw the open door to the master suite. When Gus refused to answer, he walked down the hall and looked inside. The room was empty. He stepped in always reluctant to enter without the person for whom the room was intended. Brian gave himself a shake and said, "Greg."


Greg came out of the bathroom with a big smile on his face. "Oh Brian," he gushed, "this room is wonderful. What the fuck are we doing in that dinky room of yours when we could spread out in here?"


"This room is … off limits," Brian said haltingly. He didn't want to have to explain why he could never sleep in this room, especially with Greg.


"What the hell for?"


"I don't have to explain to you … or to anybody. It just is."


"But we're so cramped in your bedroom. We need more space."


"I haven't heard you complaining before," Brian sighed.


"I didn't realize we had this option."


"What … what happened with Gus?" Brian asked remembering why he had come there in the first place, and also hoping to change the subject.


"Oh, he was playing some game, sitting in the bay window in there."


"And…?"


"And I told him he better go to his room."


"That's all?"


"Yeah, he gave me some real attitude."


Brian frowned. He knew Gus could do attitude with the best of them, but he hadn't seen much of that until Greg had come into the picture. "Did you tell him you were taking over this room?" Brian asked the light beginning to dawn.


"Not in so many words," Greg said.


"Don't order Gus around," Brian warned. "He's had a hard time and he needs to be handled gently."


Greg almost snorted, but he caught himself in time. "He seems to enjoy ordering me around," Greg said petulantly.


"He doesn't have the right to do that either."


"Maybe you should make that clear to him."


"I will, but I don't want you and him fighting."


"Sometimes it's bloody hard not to."


"Look," Brian began running his hand through his bed hair. "We've been going to go look at furniture. Why don't we do that today? Let's go get ready."


"Sure, sweetness," Greg said advancing on Brian and rubbing himself against Brian's groin. He could feel the desired result almost immediately. "Why don't we take a shower? The shower in here is huge. Come on." Greg took Brian's hand and tried to pull him towards the bathroom.


"No," Brian said pulling his hand away. "I'm going back to my own shower."


"This is your shower," Greg said looking at Brian like he had two heads.


"No, no, it's not." Brian turned away and had almost reached the hall when he felt Greg's arms come around him.


"Let's not fight," Greg said with a bat of his eyelashes. "I want you."


"I … I want you too."


"Then let's go get that shower," Greg said tugging Brian along behind him down the hall. Greg took one look back at Brian's none too happy face and then at the open door to the master suite which he knew would be his before long. He also knew that in a few minutes he would make Brian very happy. Brian would forget all about his bitchy son. Then they would shop for dining furniture, and maybe some things for the master bedroom. Greg yanked Brian inside their temporary bedroom and slammed the door behind them. Brian let out a long moan as Greg's hand found his cock and his lips welded onto his lover.


"Fuck!" Gus muttered as he heard the door across the hall slam shut. He had a pretty good idea of what Greg Fernley was doing to his father. He shuddered at the thought, but he knew enough about human nature to know that Greg had his father under his spell. Gus really needed Justin to call … and soon.


Deciding it was safe to come out of his room for a while, since his father and Greg would be otherwise occupied, Gus made his way down to the kitchen. He looked hopefully at Mrs. Hadley as he entered. She shook her head with a sad smile. Justin hadn't called yet.


"Did you get your assignments finished?" she asked.


Gus shook his head. "HE interrupted me."


There was no question as to who the HE might be. Mrs. Hadley tried to keep her face neutral. She knew she was already overstepping the bounds by helping Gus contact Justin Taylor. She knew, however, that she loathed Greg Fernley as much as the boy did.


"Shouldn't you try to get your work finished in case we hear something?"


"I guess so, but I think Dad and him are going out later. That is, if he lets Dad out of the bedroom."


"Gus," Mrs. Hadley admonished gently.


"He wants to move into the master bedroom," Gus said with a sigh. "He kicked me out of there."


"Did you tell your father?"


"No, what good would it do? He'll make it sound like I was wrong to be in there."


"Why don't you go for a walk or a swim, and then you can get back to work when you're done?"


"Maybe I will," Gus said.


"Take this with you," Mrs. Hadley said tossing him an apple.


Gus smiled as he caught it. He went out the patio door not sure where he would walk to but he needed some time alone away from you know who. Maybe Justin would have called by the time he came back.


Gus walked around the house looking at the plants in the gardens. There must be some gardener who came and looked after them. He had never seen anyone though, but he was sure his father or Mrs. Hadley didn't do it. He watched a butterfly flit from flower to flower, and marveled that he was there. He remembered his life in Toronto and felt a pang of guilt. His mothers and JR were still there. He did miss them, and he knew a lot of his anger towards them had gone. He'd really like to see them again, but he also knew he didn't want to go back to Toronto. He was glad to be out of that life.


Coming around the corner of the house, Gus saw the garage and went over to it. He opened the door the way he had seen his father do it when they had gone for the ride in the Corvette. The door swung up revealing the classic car inside. Gus approached the 'Vette and opened the driver's door. He saw the key hanging on the wall. It would be fun to take the car for a ride. He was sure he could drive it. He had watched his father carefully. Gus walked over to the key and reached for it. Something told him it would be a big mistake. If he did anything to the car, he knew his father would be furious with him. And he wasn't exactly on the best of terms with Brian at the moment. Gus left the key hanging there and went back to the car. He climbed into the driver's seat and imagined himself whizzing along the open highway, free as a bird and not a care in the world.


While Gus was dreaming in the Corvette, Brian and Greg finally appeared grabbing some fruit and toast before going on their shopping spree. They set off on their jaunt deciding to take the Mercedes.


Some time later Gus reappeared looking for lunch. Mrs. Hadley's face told him that Justin had not called. They ate together with Mrs. Hadley trying once again to keep Gus from getting his hopes too high. Gus spent the rest of the afternoon swimming and completing his assignments for Bramley. He was beginning to fear that Justin wouldn't call when they had heard nothing from him by dinner time.


After dinner Gus went up to his room and read Harry Potter. His assignments were done and he needed to show them to his father. They were supposed to take them to Bramley on Friday and he knew Brian wanted to check them first. He wondered when Greg would let his father come home.


As Mrs. Hadley was getting ready for bed, her personal phone rang. She looked at it with some trepidation. It was after eleven at night. Mr. Kinney wasn't home yet, and she never got calls this late at night. Carefully she picked it up praying that it wasn't something bad about her daughter or granddaughter.


"Hello?"


"Um, is this Mrs. Hadley?"


"Yes, who's this?" she asked with a frown. It couldn't be anything good.


"This is Justin Taylor. I had a message saying that Gus Marcus-Peterson was trying to get in touch with me. This number was on the note."


"Yes, Mr. Taylor," Mrs. Hadley said with a sigh of relief. "Gus does want to meet with you."


"I'd love to see Gus again. How old is he now?"


"He's twelve, almost thirteen."


"Wow, that last time I saw him he was four," Justin said shaking his head. He couldn't believe that much time had passed. "I know it's late, but could I speak to Gus?"


"I'm afraid he's asleep already. I just checked on him."


"Um, may I ask who you are? Are you his nanny?"


Mrs. Hadley chuckled. Justin liked the sound of it. "Goodness no," she said. "Gus is a little old for a nanny. I'm Mr. Kinney's housekeeper."


"Housekeeper?"


"Yes, is that a problem?"


"No, but I'm a little confused."


"I thought Gus lived with his mothers and when did Brian get a housekeeper?"


"I've been his housekeeper for several years now."


"And Gus lives with you?"


"Yes, but that is a recent development."


"Oh?" Justin was confused by this whole scenario, but he decided it was time to get to the crunch. "I'd love to see Gus again," Justin repeated. "But do you know why he is calling me now?"


"I … I really shouldn't comment," Mrs. Hadley said thinking that she should stay out of this as much as possible.


"I need to know if this is something about Brian," Justin said honestly. "Please tell me."


"Yes, it is," Mrs. Hadley admitted. She could hear the pain in the man's voice.


"I was afraid of that. Maybe Gus and I shouldn't meet."


"Oh, he will be so disappointed," Mrs. Hadley said. She really did want Gus to enlist Mr. Taylor's help in getting rid of Mr. Fernley.


"I know, and I'll be disappointed not to see Gus, but maybe that would be for the best."


"Mr. Kinney has a new boyfriend that Gus hates, and he seems to hate Gus," Mrs. Hadley blurted out. She had to do something to help both Gus and her employer. Greg Fernley was not the answer they needed in their lives. Mr. Taylor sounded like he might be.


There was a long pause. Mrs. Hadley was about to ask if Justin was still there when she heard his voice again. "Brian has a boyfriend?"


"Yes, he does, and he's not a very nice man," she sighed. She shouldn't be saying any of this, but her philosophy had always been 'in for a penny, in for a pound'. And she was now all the way in.


"I'm sorry to hear that … that he's not a very nice man," Justin added quickly. "But I don't see what any of this has to do with me. I haven't seen Brian … in years."


"I realize that, but Gus saw the write-up for your show in the paper and thought you might be able to help him."


"Is Brian there?" Justin asked. He really didn't want to talk to the man but maybe they could settle something if he did.


"Mr. Kinney isn't home at the moment."


"Oh."


"I'm not sure when he'll be in."


"Out with his boyfriend," Justin muttered and Mrs. Hadley thought she heard a tinge of something in his voice. Was it jealousy or regret?


"I really can't say," she replied.


"Oh, yeah, that's okay. Look, I think it's best if I stay out of this whole mess."


"I see."


"I don't think anything I could do or say would make any difference."


"As you wish, Mr. Taylor." Mrs. Hadley knew how disappointed Gus was going to be.


"Can you explain it to Gus for me?"


"I can try."


"Thanks."


"It was interesting talking to you, Mr. Taylor. It's too bad that you can't help Gus."


Justin wondered what he was hearing in her voice. It was almost like she was pleading with him to do something. "I'm sorry to disappoint him, but try to explain why. Brian wouldn't want to see me again, and he certainly wouldn't want me interfering in his love life."


"I understand."


"Try to make Gus understand too. Um, if things get too much for him, here's my cell phone number." Mrs. Hadley wrote it down as Justin dictated the numbers. "Maybe it would be best if you didn't give him that right away. Just use it if there's an emergency or something."


"Okay."


"Again, I'm sorry I can't help."


"Thanks for calling," Mrs. Hadley said and the line went dead. She replaced the receiver and glanced at the number she had written on the pad by the bed. There would be no help from that quarter.

 

It was a long time before Mrs. Hadley could get to sleep. Somewhere in that interval, she heard voices in the kitchen and knew that Mr. Kinney had returned. That man must have come back with him. With a deep sigh, Mrs. Hadley tried to find sleep amid thoughts of how she was going to break the bad news to Gus that there would be no help from Justin Taylor.

Chapter 14 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 14


"What do you mean he won't see me?" Gus screamed.


"Gus, calm down," Mrs. Hadley said trying to keep her voice soft but firm.


"I won't calm down. I need to see Justin."


"He doesn't want to get involved," Mrs. Hadley explained.


"Fuck that! I want you to take me to Pittsburgh," Gus demanded. "I'm going to see Justin."


"I can't do that, Gus."


"Yes, you can!"


"No, I can't. I told Mr. Taylor that I would explain this to you. He doesn't want to see you or your father right now."


"You're lying! What did he really say? Did Dad find out and tell you to lie to me? Is Greg paying you off?" Gus' chest heaved with anger and unshed tears. Involuntarily his fist came up in a threatening gesture.


Mrs. Hadley took a step back feeling the counter press into her back. Gus frightened her at that moment. He seemed so out of control. "Gus, how can you think that?" Mrs. Hadley stammered. She had known this would be difficult but she hadn't expected this outpouring of venom. "Do you think that little of me?"


"I … I think you're like all the rest. Nobody cares what I want or need. You're all selfish fucking assholes!"


Gus ran out of the room and Mrs. Hadley gripped the counter in the kitchen. Her knees were shaking so badly that she was afraid if she let go she would collapse on the floor. There was no way she could go after Gus. All she could hope was that he would run around and take out his anger and frustration before he came back. If he came back at all, she thought as her heart began to slow down a bit.


She had not seen this angry and apparently dangerous Gus before. He had always been very pleasant and polite with her. Now he thought she had betrayed him and he had turned on her. She had no idea how she was going to explain this to Mr. Kinney. If he found out the whole story, she had no idea what he would do. Her job was certainly in jeopardy to say nothing of Gus' well being. Why had she ever gotten involved in this in the first place?


Slowly she released her grip on the counter and made her way into her bedroom where she could lie down for a few minutes.


Gus ran out of the house and down the driveway. He ran along the road heading in the direction of Pittsburgh. He'd get to see Justin one way or another. He hated all the people in that mansion. He had tried so hard to be good. He had changed everything about himself trying to meet the expectations of his father. He had done his very best. He wanted a new life here. And now it was all ruined. It was all Greg Fernley's fault. If he had a gun, he'd shoot that son of a bitch.


Gus took a gasping breath and stopped running. He took a couple of gulps of air leaning his hands on his knees. As his breathing began to slow down Gus started walking along the road. Each car that approached was a potential ride into Pittsburgh. Gus stuck out his thumb and watched car after car whiz by. Not even the fucking motorists would give him a break.


He had no idea how long he had been walking and trying to hitch a ride. It seemed like forever and no one would stop. He heard another car approaching from behind and stuck out his thumb without turning around to face the car. What was the point? Nobody ever stopped anyway.


Gus heard the engine sound slow down and he turned thinking that someone had finally decided to take pity on him and give him a ride. He recognized the black Mercedes as soon as he looked at it. He felt his heart sag as his father pushed open the door and brusquely said, "Get in." Knowing there wasn't much point in doing anything else, he quietly got into the car sitting next to his father.


At least Greg Fernley wasn't there. That would have been the ultimate insult. Why he would ever think Greg would help his father find him was laughable. Gus knew Greg was probably back at the mansion planning how to convert Gus' room into a video arcade or some kind of sex playground. Gus shivered.


Brian turned the car around but he only drove a little way until he found a place where he could safely pull off the road. He cut the engine and looked over at his son. "Explain," was all he said. Gus looked at his father and folded his arms over his chest, his chin stuck out in defiance. "Gus, you almost made Mrs. Hadley have a heart attack."


"Is she all right?" Gus asked suddenly worried.


"She'll be all right, but you gave her quite a shock."


"I … I didn't mean to hurt her," Gus said slowly.


"I didn't think you did, but she said you called her some names. Why did you do that, Gus? I thought you liked Mrs. Hadley."


"I do … I did."


"Then what happened?"


"I wanted her to do something. It was very important and she refused."


"She's the adult, Gus, and she's not your slave. I'm sure she did what she thought was best."


"What about what I think is best?" Gus demanded.


Brian ignored that question. Instead he decided to find out more about what Gus was doing hitchhiking. "What did you want her to do for you?"


"What did she tell you?"


"Just that you wanted her to take you to Pittsburgh. What's so important in Pittsburgh? You could have asked me."


"No, I couldn't!"


"Why not? What did you want to do there?"


"I want to see Justin," Gus said deciding that he might as well tell his father everything.


"Justin? What are you talking about?"


"I want to go see Justin. Will you take me?"


"No, I won't and Justin's in Europe," Brian said with a frown.


"He got back last night. He's having a show in Pittsburgh. If you didn't spend so much time in bed with that man, you would know these things."


"Gus, as much as I love you, my sex life is none of your business."


"It is when the man you're … fucking hates me and is trying to drive me out of your life."


"Greg's not trying to do that," Brian said defensively.


"Of course he is, Dad. You just refuse to see it."


Brian frowned. He didn't want to believe what Gus was saying but he had seen how little Greg liked being around Gus. Maybe he had Greg Fernley all wrong, but he didn't want to think so. "So what does Justin have to do with this?"


"I want to talk to him."


"About what?"


"About you and that guy."


Brian let out a long sigh. "Gus, I'm sure Justin doesn't want to get involved in your problems. He likely won't even talk to you," Brian said.


"He called the house and Mrs. Hadley talked to him."


"Mrs. Hadley? Justin called? Why?" Brian felt his heart rate go up exponentially. "What are you talking about, Gus?"


"I contacted Mr. Bloom. He sort of remembered me. That's where Justin's having his show. I asked Mr. Bloom to get Justin to call me. Dad, if you two would get together…"


"Stop right there!" Brian ordered. "Justin has been out of our lives for a long time. That's the way he wants it. That's the way I want it too."


Gus did not hear any conviction in that statement, especially the last part. Maybe he was right after all. "I really want to see Justin. He can tell me that to my face if it's true."


"You are not going anywhere near Justin. He doesn't need you bothering him."


"But Dad…"


"We're going home and you're going to put all this nonsense out of your head."


Gus bit his lip to keep from saying something really awful to his father. Brian started the car and they headed back to the mansion. Once the car stopped, Gus bolted for the front door and ran up to his room. Brian was about to chase after him when Greg pulled him into the library and started kissing him. Maybe Gus needed a little time to calm down.


For the rest of the day there was no sign of Gus. He stayed holed up in his room hoping for some miracle that would transport him to Justin's side or strike him dead and put him out of his misery. Greg did his best to keep Brian occupied and away from Gus.


By dinner time Brian had had enough. He went to the door of Gus' room. "Gus, open this door. This has gone on long enough."


There was no answer. Brian was tempted to kick the fucking door in.


"Gus, you are not going to see Justin. That's all there is to it. We have to get on with our lives. Do you have your assignments done? We need to take them over to Bramley in the morning."


Brian waited afraid that he was going to have to use force to get into Gus' room. Just as he had decided to ram the door, he heard the lock click and slowly the door opened. Brian looked at a face so forlorn and lost that his heart nearly broke.


"I … I did the assignments," Gus said gulping out the words. "I wanted you to look at them." He held out the papers like a peace offering to his father.


Brian took the pages of work and felt his anger slip away. Gus was his son and he needed him. He grabbed Gus' hand and pulled the boy into a hug. "Gus, don't ever do anything like that again. We were all so scared that something terrible would happen to you."


"I'm fine. I … I can look after myself."


"I know you can."


Gus struggled out of his father's grasp. "Are we still going to the school tomorrow?" Gus asked wondering if his latest escapade now meant that he would be sent away for good.


"Of course, we are. Mrs. Hadley has some dinner almost ready, and then after I'll look over your assignments with you," Brian promised.


"Okay," Gus said softly.


"Go wash your face, and you might want to talk to Mrs. Hadley before we eat."


Gus looked sheepish and nodded. He went back into his room without locking the door this time. He went into the bathroom and washed his face and hands. Taking a deep breath, he headed down to the kitchen. His father and Greg were in the library. He could hear their voices as he came down the stairs.


He knew he needed to apologize to Mrs. Hadley, but he wasn't very good at admitting that he was wrong, especially when he didn't think he was wrong at all. However, he was sorry that he had frightened Mrs. Hadley who had been nothing but good to him. He owed her an apology for that.


"Mrs. Hadley," Gus said hesitantly as he entered the kitchen.


Mrs. Hadley was checking something in the oven. "Yes, Gus," she said without looking at him. "Dinner will be ready in about ten minutes."


"I … I want to say … that I'm really sorry about this morning. I shouldn't have acted like that."


"No, you shouldn't have," Mrs. Hadley agreed looking at him for the first time.


"I'm really sorry," Gus repeated.


"Sometimes sorry isn't good enough," she said unable to forgive him for the fear he had caused her.


"Can't … can't we be friends again?" he practically begged.


"I don't think so. We were never friends … or you wouldn't have treated me like you did this morning."


"I just wanted to see Justin," Gus said his voice cracking and the tears beginning to form.


"You called me a liar and ordered me around … and I thought you were going to hit me," Mrs. Hadley said with a shiver.


"I … I wouldn't hit you," Gus said in a strangled voice. He knew that wasn't true. He had almost hit her this morning, and there were other people that he had hit. But, he had controlled himself. That had to be a good thing.


"I wish I could be sure of that, Gus, but I don't think I can be."


"Please, please, I have no one who understands. I thought you did, but then you said you wouldn't take me…" Gus' voice refused to go further as great choking sobs escaped his body. He felt like he was losing his last friend, and that was probably the truth. He was.


Mrs. Hadley watched Gus' body shake as he was wracked with huge sobs. She could see how alone and abandoned he felt he was. Her motherly heart kicked in and she pulled him against her chest and let him cry it out.


After a few minutes, she felt the sobs lessen and Gus wiped at his eyes. She reached for the tissue box on the counter and held it out to him. He stepped away, grabbing a few tissues, and creating one honking big blow. He wiped his nose and then his eyes before looking up at her.


"Do you forgive me?" he asked in a very small voice.


Mrs. Hadley studied him for a moment. She wanted to forgive him, but that would be too easy. She wanted things to go back to the way they had been between them, but if that happened then the potential for another outburst like the one this morning would still be there. She did not want to have to deal with that again.


Taking a deep breath, she said slowly, "Yes, Gus, I forgive you up to a point, but I think you have some anger issues that need to be dealt with. Will you promise to get some counseling for your anger?"


Gus stared at her. He had heard his mothers talking about the same thing. He thought they were crazy. He could handle his anger, and it stood him in good stead when he wanted to frighten people. Sometimes that was a very good advantage to have, especially in his life back in Toronto. But he wasn't in Toronto anymore, and he wanted Mrs. Hadley as his friend. Maybe she and his moms knew something that he didn't.


"Yes," he finally said. He'd do anything to have Mrs. Hadley back on his side.


"Okay then," she said matter-of-factly. "Let's get some dinner."


"Um, before we do, could I ask you something?"


"I guess so. What is it, Gus?"


"Did Justin give you a way to contact him? Maybe I could call him since I can't go to Pittsburgh."


"Gus, I really think you need to give up the idea of contacting Justin. He doesn't want to get involved."


Gus felt his anger start to grow. He did his best to keep his mouth shut and keep from lashing out at Mrs. Hadley because she was once again thwarting his attempts to see Justin. "Okay," Gus said after a minute. "I just thought I'd ask." He wasn't done with this yet, but she obviously wasn't going to help him at all.


"Help me set the table?" she asked.


Gus nodded and started the nightly ritual that they had been following for the last few weeks. Gus' job in the kitchen was to help set the table and then clear it at the end. Mrs. Hadley always praised him for how well he did each. He liked praise. Gus got the plates out of the cupboard as Mrs. Hadley had another look in the oven. It was ready.


Dinner ensued with an uncomfortable silence among Gus, his father and Greg who looked mightily ticked off by everything that had happened that day.


Finally Brian decided to break the silence. "Gus, Greg and I bought a dining room suite yesterday. We can eat in the dining room when it arrives next week."


"Great," Gus replied. His lack of enthusiasm was apparent to all. He'd much rather eat in the kitchen, especially if Greg and his father ate in the dining room. Maybe he could arrange that.


Brian finished his main course. "How be we meet in the library after you finish your dessert and we'll go over your assignments?"


Gus smiled. "Yeah, I think you'll like them."


"Brian, I need a word with you," Greg said getting up and pushing back his chair. "In the library," he said as he went out the door.


"I'll be finished with Greg in a few minutes. Knock before you come in," he added just in case.


Gus made a face and muttered, "If only you would be finished with Greg."


"Gus, that's not helpful," Mrs. Hadley admonished. She was no longer prepared to get involved in the mess Brian was creating for himself.


"I know," Gus said as he cleared the table. "What's for dessert?"


"Chocolate cake," Mrs. Hadley said proudly producing one of her masterpieces from the counter next to the fridge.


"Yummy," Gus said enthusiastically. Mrs. Hadley smiled to herself. That was the child that Gus should be, enjoying his dessert, not trying to fix his father's disastrous love life. She dished out a good sized piece and cut a small one for herself. They sat down at the table that Gus had completely cleared.


"I think your father will like all your assignments," Mrs. Hadley said. "I know how hard you worked on them."


"Thanks," Gus replied his mouth stuffed with chocolate cake.


"Gus, perhaps you could ask your father about that counseling that I mentioned earlier." She watched as Gus' eyes grew hard.


"Maybe."


"I would prefer if you mentioned it, but if you don't I will," she said firmly.


"Okay, I'll ask," Gus conceded. He didn't think he needed counseling and they wouldn't be able to help him anyway. He seemed to be beyond help. "That was good cake," Gus said as he cleaned his plate.


"Thank you, Gus. Let's load the dishwasher."


As Gus and Mrs. Hadley were cleaning up in the kitchen, Greg was broaching an important topic with Brian. "I'm out of vacation time as of tomorrow. I'll have to go back to work, but I don't want to leave you here all alone." Greg leaned against Brian as they sat on the sofa in the library.


"I have to work too," Brian said leaning back against his lover. "I have to take Gus to school tomorrow, but we can spend the rest of the day and the weekend together."


"I was thinking of something a little more permanent."


"More permanent? What do you mean?"


"What if I quit my job and moved in here permanently? Now that we've started furnishing the place, there will be a lot to do, and I could spend all my time on it."


"Quit your job? But, we all need jobs," Brian said bewildered. He hadn't expected this at all.


Greg frowned. This wasn't going the way he had hoped. He'd have to show Brian why he needed him there all the time. Greg grabbed Brian and pulled him into a long sizzling kiss. He could feel Brian yield to him, and his hand found Brian's hardening cock.


"Wouldn't it be nice to come home to that every night?" Greg panted rubbing himself against Brian.


"Yeah."


"Then tell me that I should quit."


"I … I don't know," Brian managed to get out before Greg grabbed him again.


"Think about it," Greg whispered as he leaned down into Brian's crotch and sucked at Brian's dick through his jeans.


Brian gasped and then pushed Greg away as Gus knocked on the library door. "Hold that thought for later," Brian muttered as he adjusted himself. "I need to see Gus alone."


"Of course, I'll be waiting for you upstairs." He smiled his best sexy smile as he sashayed towards the door. He relished hearing Brian's groan as he opened the door and glared at Gus before he left the room. He would work his magic on Brian later tonight. He knew what he wanted and he was going to get it.


Gus entered a little tentatively. His father was sitting on the couch with his head thrown back and his eyes closed. "Are you all right, Dad?"


"Yeah, yeah, your work is on the desk," he said. "Get it and we can get started." He needed a moment to compose himself. He wasn't at all sure how he felt about Greg quitting his job and being at the mansion full time. He looked at his son and knew Gus would hate it.


They spent the next couple of hours going over Gus' work. Most of it was very good. Brian made a few suggestions, especially about another section that could be added to the Math essay. Gus agreed and seemed pleased with Brian's reaction to what he had done.


"If you make those corrections and additions tonight, we can go to Bramley first thing tomorrow morning."


"Okay," Gus agreed.


"I'm really proud of how you've handled all this schoolwork during your summer vacation. You keep that effort up when you start school and I know you'll do well."


"Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dad. It felt good to show that I can do these assignments."


"You did well, grasshopper," Brian teased.


This was what Gus enjoyed about being with his father. If only it could be the two of them. "Thanks for the help. Dad, could I ask you something? Actually I want to ask two things," Gus said seriously.


"Shoot."


"Mrs. Hadley thinks I should get counseling about my anger," Gus said staring at the floor. "I … I don't like the idea that something's wrong with me. But my moms said the same thing. Do you think I have a problem?"


"Gus, I'm very proud of you for thinking so seriously about this. I think counseling would be a good idea. I've gone to experts when I needed help with something."


"You have?"


"Yeah, there have been a few hard times," Brian admitted. He was thinking about his talks with Andrew after the bashing. He probably should have done a lot more of that kind of thing. Maybe his life wouldn't have turned out the way it did. "I can check into counselors in the area. Okay?"


Gus nodded. He'd give it a try. "The other thing is about Greg." Brian groaned. "Is he ever going home?"


"You want him to leave?" Gus nodded. "I … I don't know what's going to happen with Greg. You don't like him, do you?"


"No, but I guess you are the one who has to make the decision," Gus said standing up. "I'll get these ready tonight so we can go to Bramley right after breakfast."

 

"Good boy," Brian said standing and giving Gus a kiss on the head. He watched Gus walk out of the room. He really was a good kid, and counseling could only help. Now all he had to do was figure out what the hell to do about Greg Fernley. Brian poured himself a stiff drink.

Chapter 15 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 15


Friday morning Brian awoke with his dick halfway down Greg Fernley's throat. It was a nice wake-up call. After Brian shot his load, he was feeling all mellow and laid back. Greg knew this was his best opportunity to get what he wanted.


"Want to wake up like that every morning?" Greg purred as he laid his head on Brian's chest.


"I wouldn't mind," Brian said running his fingers through Greg's hair. It felt good, but not as soft and sensual as Justin's. Brian stiffened at the unexpected thought of Justin. He had managed to block out such thoughts for a long time. He told himself that it must have come from Gus' wanting to see Justin.


"What happened?" Greg asked sitting up and looking into Brian's eyes.


"I have to get up. I want to have breakfast with Gus and make sure that he has everything organized to go to Bramley."


"A tad anal this morning, aren't we?" Greg asked running his finger around Brian's nipple.


"I'm anal all the time and you love it," Brian smirked.


"Yes, I do."


Brian shifted intending to get up. Greg pinned him in place.


"Don't you want to wake up with me beside you every morning?" he asked.


"Of course, that's what we're doing now."


"If I have to go back to work on Monday, I may not see you until the following weekend."


"Why?" Brian asked with a frown.


"I often have to work late and I'll just crash at my place."


"This place is only a half hour from Pittsburgh," Brian explained.


"But I work almost on the other side of the city. It will take me hours to get here."


"Not if the rush hour is over," Brian said logically.


'Fuck!' Greg thought. Why did Brian have to be so reasonable about everything? "I'd rather just live here and play with you." Greg grinned like the cat who just ate the mouse.


Brian frowned. "Greg, I don't see life as a veritable playground. I work hard. I don't have time to play all day."


"You've been doing that since we met."


"That's because of Gus. I took time to try to get him straightened out."


"I thought you did that for me."


"Greg, you're an adult. Gus is still a child."


Now Greg was getting pissed. He wanted to quit his fucking job if only he could get Brian to say that it would be all right.


"I have to get moving," Brian said rolling Greg away from him. He headed into the bathroom.


Greg thought for a moment. Sex was still his best weapon and persuader. With a smile he followed Brian into the shower.


Gus came downstairs with his pile of work. He had spent a long time polishing it all up after his father looked over everything. The assignments were now neatly labeled and inserted into clear plastic folders. The work looked really good, and Gus believed the contents were even better. It had been a long time since he had really tried on his assignments. It felt good to have accomplished something. He was proud of himself.


He sat down at the kitchen table and laid his pile of work next to his place setting. He gave it a careful alignment so that the pile was neat and nothing would slide off. He wiped his hand lovingly across the top folder.


"That looks very impressive," Mrs. Hadley said with a smile as she handed Gus his bacon and scrambled eggs. She set the toast down beside his plate.


"Thanks," Gus smiled. He was very glad that Mrs. Hadley had forgiven him … almost.


"May I see one of your assignments?" she asked as she sat down across from him.


Gus handed her the top one. It was the one he thought had turned out best. While Gus ate, she read the paper. When she finished it she looked up to find Gus staring at her waiting expectantly for her response.


"That was very good, Gus. If the others are like that, you should have no trouble getting in."


Gus beamed at her. "I hope you're right."


"Right about what?" Brian asked as he walked to the coffee pot and poured himself a mug.


"I was reading one of Gus' assignments. I think he's done a very good job and they should accept him at that school."


"I hope you're right," Brian said. "Are you ready to go?"


Gus nodded and picked up his pile of work. "Oh, I should help you clean up," he said setting the pile back down.


"It's okay, Gus. Mr. Fernley hasn't had his breakfast yet. I'll let you off for today."


"Thanks."


"Ready to go?" Brian asked again as he drained his mug of coffee and filled his travel mug.


"As ready as I'm going to get," Gus said taking a deep breath.


Some time later Brian and Gus walked out of the principal's office at Bramley. They both looked very pleased with themselves.


"It looks like you can call this fine alma mater home for the next four years," Brian said with a smirk.


"I hope he meant it when he said that he was sure I would get in based on his preliminary look at my work."


"He was impressed with you, just like I was," Brian said gently. The principal was going to have his staff evaluate Gus' work, but his recommendation would be to admit Gus to the school. Gus had handled himself very well with the principal.


"You were?" Gus smiled.


"I was."


"This place may not be so bad," Gus replied looking around.


"Oh shit," Brian said stopping abruptly. "I forgot to ask what the tuition fees are. I better go back and find out so Ted can free up enough money to cover it, when you get in." Brian winked at Gus.


"Is it that expensive?" Gus asked with a frown.


"It won't be cheap."


"I'm sorry, Dad."


"You don't need to be sorry. It's not a hardship. I just want to be sure I have the money ready. School starts next week. Why don't you stay here and I'll go take care of it. Maybe a little down payment will ensure your future here."


Gus watched his father walk away. Money did have its privileges, something that he had never had in Toronto. But it also had its disadvantages such as the likes of Greg Fernley.


With a sigh Gus walked over to the big tree near the parking lot. He noticed a car parked there and watched as the prefect who had harassed him in the science lab got out and walked to a bench nearby. Gus ducked behind the tree hoping the guy hadn't seen him. He didn't much like the way that guy had sized him up the other day.


Gus continued to watch as another car pulled into the lot. A boy that Gus had never seen before got out of the car and walked over to the bench. Holding his breath Gus watched as money changed hands and the new kid walked away with a packet of something. Gus knew he had just seen his first drug deal since he returned to Pittsburgh. Now he knew he needed to stay away from that guy.


When the prefect got in his car and started the engine Gus thought he was safe. He leaned against the tree as he heard the engine rev and the car pull away. The next thing he knew the car was stopped by the tree and he was in the grasp of the prefect who had jumped out of his car. Gus found his arm twisted behind his back and strong fingers digging into his neck.


"Get an eyeful, kid?" the prefect asked with a cruel grin.


"I didn't see anything," Gus lied.


"I know what you saw. I also know someone who's been around drugs when I see them. Are you a user?"


"No," Gus replied struggling to get away.


"You say anything about this to anyone and they'll find you dead. Do I make myself clear?"


"Yes," Gus whispered.


"I didn't here that," the prefect said.


"Yes," Gus said louder.


The prefect gave Gus' arm one last painful twist and then shoved him face first into the tree trunk. Gus felt his face hit the rough bark and he cried out before falling to the ground. He whimpered as he rolled into a sitting position feeling his forehead with his fingers. He felt something sticky and pulled his hand away to look at what it was. Blood coated his fingertips and he groaned aloud.


"Gus," Brian's voice came through the haze of pain. "Gus, you're bleeding. What happened?"


"I … I stumbled and fell against the tree," Gus lied. He didn't want trouble at this new school before he even started.


"Did you pass out? Does it hurt?"


"No, I don't think so, and yes, it hurts … a lot."


"I think we better get you to a doctor," Brian said looking around to see what Gus could have tripped on. There were some exposed roots so it might have been that.


"I'm all right, Dad," Gus said. "Help me up."


"Are you sure you can stand?"


"I'll try."


Gus managed to get to his feet although he felt somewhat shaky. Brian held him up and they walked over to the Mercedes. Brian opened the passenger door and helped Gus sit with his feet hanging out. He opened the glove compartment and pulled out a box of tissues. He dabbed at the bloody spot finding mostly a scrape with one cut where a sharp piece of bark must have dug in. The bleeding was slowing down.


"Maybe they have some bandages in the school," Brian said.


"I'm fine, Dad. Can we just go home? Mrs. Hadley can bandage it."


"I don't know. I don't want you getting infection in there."


"I'll be okay. Please, Dad, take me home."


Gus wondered that those words were coming out of his mouth. He did want to go home. He felt safe at the mansion. That was where he wanted to be. And he didn't want to have to explain to people in the school how clumsy he was to have fallen into a tree. Besides, they might ask too many questions and find out that he was lying. Then he would be in worse trouble.


Finally Brian relented. He made sure Gus was buckled in and had tissue pressed against the wound. They made it back to the mansion in record time. Brian called for Mrs. Hadley as soon as he stepped in the door. She came running. One look at Gus and she told Brian to bring him to the kitchen. She immediately got her first aid kit and started doctoring the boy.


"Do you think I should take him to the doctor?" Brian asked as he paced back and forth while Mrs. Hadley cleaned and dressed the wound. "Do you think he needs stitches? Will he have a scar?"


"I'm okay, Dad," Gus said.


"I think he'll be just fine," Mrs. Hadley said as she secured the last piece of tape holding the gauze in place. "It's mostly a scrape. Head wounds always bleed a lot."


"If you're sure…" Brian said as Greg sauntered into the kitchen still dressed in his robe. He had gone back to sleep after Brian had left.


"I heard a lot of yelling," Greg said nonchalantly. "What's going on?"


"Gus fell and cut his head," Brian said.


"How did you manage that?" Greg asked trying to appear like he really cared.


"He tripped on a root and fell against a tree."


"I didn't know you were so clumsy," Greg smirked as he looked at Gus.


"I'm not clumsy," Gus retorted. He hated anything that Greg said to him or about him.


"Brian, could I talk to you?" Greg asked tiring of dealing with Brian's spoiled brat.


"Gus needs me," Brian said still hovering.


Gus smiled. "I really am okay, Dad."


"You're sure?" Gus nodded. "Okay, Greg, let's go into the library. Brian knew what Greg was after. He had made that very clear in the shower that morning. He was prepared to give in. He wanted Greg around. He liked the sex, and it was nice to have someone dependable, well kind of dependable, to do things with.


When Greg and Brian had disappeared, Mrs. Hadley looked at Gus and asked, "So what really happened?"


"Huh?" Gus asked.


"I asked you what really happened."


"I tripped and fell against a tree."


Mrs. Hadley stared at the boy. "Gus, there is no one less clumsy than you. I see you running around the pool and up and down the stairs. You're not clumsy."


"I didn't see the root," Gus lied, his eyes focused on the floor. He couldn't look Mrs. Hadley in the eye.


"If you say so," Mrs. Hadley said abruptly. She knew he was not telling the truth but she wasn't about to call him on it. He obviously didn't want to tell her what the real story was.


"I think I'll go to my room," Gus said rather sheepishly. He wanted to get away from everybody. This was the first time he had lied since he'd come to live with his father. He didn't much like how it made him feel.


As Gus went to the front foyer, he could hear voices from the library. It sounded a bit like his father and Greg were arguing. Gus could only hope that they were breaking up. He stopped and listened.


"So, you don't want me here?" Greg was saying.


"Yes!" Gus smiled.


"That's not what I said. I do want you here."


Gus' face fell. He had hoped this might be the end of Greg Fernley.


"Then let's make this a permanent arrangement," Greg persisted.


"What do you mean by permanent?"


"I want to live here and not work in Pittsburgh. I'll try to find something else more local."


"You will?" Brian asked. He had not heard that before. He had thought that Greg just didn't want to work.


"Of course, I'm not a freeloader," Greg touted.


"But you'd like to be," Gus whispered to himself.


"Can't you keep your job until you find something around here?" Brian asked.


"I could, but when am I going to have time to look?"


"There's the internet and contacts through your law firm," Brian said reasonably.


Gus heard Greg let out a long sigh. He was rooting for his father to stick to his guns.


"Fine," Greg said. "I'll go pack."


"Greg, please," Brian said.


"You don't want me enough to do this for me, then I'm leaving."


"Wait. If you promise to look for work around here, then go call your office and tell them you resign."


"Oh yeah!" Greg yelled. He could hardly contain himself. "Before I do that I'm going to make you so happy you agreed to this. This is the right thing to do."


There was silence and Gus assumed they were kissing. Greg had won. Gus started up the stairs as he heard the door to the library slam shut and the key turn in the lock.


"Fuck!" Gus said. Now Greg was going to be there all day everyday. Gus felt the bottom fall out of his world as he made his way up to his room.


He was forced to come downstairs for dinner and he ate in silence with Greg making smug faces at him the whole time. Gus could hardly believe that his father didn't notice but he seemed oblivious to what Greg was doing.


After dinner Gus asked to be excused and went to his room. He had to think of some way out of this. What should have been a great day, probably getting accepted at Bramley after all his hard work, had turned into a nightmare situation. He had a cut on his head from the school bully who was threatening him. And he'd have to see the guy every day if he got accepted at Bramley. Greg had his father even more under his control. Greg was quitting his job and he would be at the house full time. Gus had no illusions that Greg would find another job. He doubted if Greg would even look. Things couldn't get much worse.


Gus lay on his bed for a long time. His head throbbed a little, partly from the cut and partly from trying to think of a way out of this mess. The only thing he could think of was contacting Justin. Maybe if he talked to him face to face he could enlist Justin's help.


The question was how could he get to see Justin. His father certainly wouldn't take him. He had made that clear. He toyed with the idea of trying to con Greg into taking him into Pittsburgh. However, he soon relinquished that idea realizing that Greg Fernley wouldn't do anything to help him. And furthermore, Greg was a bigger con artist than Gus was. He just wished his father could see that. Mrs. Hadley certainly wouldn't help him again. She had made that abundantly clear.


Then another thought struck Gus. What if he could contact Debbie? Maybe she would come out to the house and help him. But he didn't know her number. Gus wondered if his father might have her number written down somewhere, maybe in the library. Gus got up from his bed and carefully opened the door to his bedroom. His father's door across the hall was closed. Greg was probably in there with Brian fucking his brains out. Slowly Gus made his way down the hall and headed downstairs. He listened at the bottom not hearing any sound from the library where the door now stood open. Gus thought he could hear the low sound of Mrs. Hadley's television. She must be in her apartment.


Gus entered the library and began looking for an address book or Roladex or something. There was no sign of anything like that. He opened the bottom desk drawer and saw the circular file of index cards. This was what he was looking for. Gus flipped through the cards looking for Debbie or Novotny or any other people in Pittsburgh who might help him. The cards all seemed to be for business. Brian's friends' numbers were probably programmed into his cell phone and it was nowhere to be seen. It was probably up in the bedroom with his father.


Gus flopped down in the big chair behind the desk. He swung it around and put his feet up on the desk. What was he going to do?


Thinking didn't seem to be getting Gus anywhere, so he turned in the chair and stared out the library window. It was dark but the lights on the outside of the house lit up the corner of the garage. And that was it.


Gus leapt up from the chair and let himself out the front door of the house. He ran across to the garage and hit the button to open the door. As the door slid up Gus could gradually see the Corvette sitting there waiting for him. Gus ducked under the door before it was even all the way up. He grabbed the key off the hook and climbed into the driver's seat.


He took a deep breath telling himself that he could do this. He had watched his father drive. All he had to do was repeat all the things he had seen his father do. Gus inserted the key and turned it. The car started and Gus smiled. He slid the gear into drive and using what he thought was gentle pressure he put his foot on the gas. The car jerked forward scaring Gus who barely managed to steer the car out of the garage without scraping the side off of it.

 

Once outside, Gus stepped down on the gas again. The car shot forward and Gus gripped the steering wheel so hard that he thought his fingers might fall off. He managed to negotiate the straight part of the driveway but then came the curve before heading down to the street. Gus took his foot off the gas and applied it hard to the brake. The car jerked and slowed down, but he could barely reach the brake. His foot suddenly slid off the brake and jammed down on the accelerator. Gus let out a little cry as the car leapt forward. The last thing he remembered seeing was the trunk of the big oak tree in the front yard coming at him fast. It would be his second altercation with a tree in the same day.

Chapter 16 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 16


Brian was close. Greg had been torturing his dick in a most satisfactory manner. Brian groaned and then sat bolt upright.


"What was that?" he asked pushing Greg's head away.


"What was what?" Greg asked licking his lips.


"I heard a crash."


"I didn't hear anything," Greg said bending down and continuing his ministrations on Brian's cock.


"Stop," Brian said shoving Greg away.


"Hey!"


"I heard something. I know I did," Brian said getting up and going to his window which faced the road. He looked out and could see what looked like steam or smoke pouring out of … of his fucking Corvette. It was wrapped around a tree in the front yard. "Fuck!" he yelled as he grabbed his jeans and yanked them on.


"What are you doing?" Greg whined. "Come back to bed. I wasn't finished."


"Someone was trying to steal my car. Call the police."


"Brian! What are you talking about?"


"Shut up and do it. They may be hurt."


Greg got up slowly and looked out at the car and the tree. He wondered who would try to steal the Corvette. He wondered if he should get dressed but that seemed like too much effort. He picked up the phone and then hesitated. Maybe he should let Brian place the call. He laid back down on the bed playing with himself. Brian could take care of it.


Mrs. Hadley met Brian as he came down the stairs. "There's an accident on the front lawn," she said.


"I know. We need to see if anyone is hurt and why the fuck they are stealing my car."


The two ran out the door heading for the car. Brian's long legs and younger age got him there much faster than Mrs. Hadley. Brian yanked open the driver's door of the Corvette and looked at the face of his son. Gus had apparently slammed his head into the steering wheel. His forehead was bleeding again and Gus didn't seem to be able to focus on his father.


"Gus?" Brian said. "Gus, talk to me."


Gus moaned and his head lolled back against the headrest. "Gus!"


"Justin," Gus managed to say. "See Justin."


"Gus, it's me, your father. Gus!" Gus' eyes flickered open and then closed. "Gus!" Brian said almost screaming with fear and worry.


"We should get him to the hospital," Mrs. Hadley said.


"I asked Greg to call the police. Go see how long before they'll be here," Brian ordered. "And bring some towels or something to stop the blood," Brian added. Gus' blood covered Brian's hands and chest where he held onto the boy. "Gus, oh God, Gus."


Gus' eyes opened and he looked at his father. "Cowboy Chicken," he mumbled before his eyes closed once again.


That name that Gus had called him made Brian remember their game from so long ago. He gulped and pulled Gus tighter against him. Where were the fucking police and paramedics?


Just then Mrs. Hadley pulled up in her car. She leapt out despite her age and handed some clean towels to Brian. He used one to staunch the bleeding from Gus' forehead. "How long before the paramedics will be here?" Brian asked.


"They're not coming. Greg didn't call," she stated.


"What the fuck? I told him to."


"He said he thought it would be better if you did that. I brought my car. If Gus doesn't have any broken bones, we can get him to the hospital in ten minutes."


"Good idea," Brian said. He had already checked Gus over as best he could so he carefully lifted the semi-conscious boy out of the Corvette.


Mrs. Hadley held the back door of her sedan open and Brian set Gus inside as gently as he could.


"I'll drive," she said and Brian ran around to the other side of the car getting in beside Gus and cradling his head and neck as much as he was able.


"Justin," Gus moaned again. "Need Justin."


Brian frowned. Why the fuck was Gus calling for Justin, and why had he been in his damn Corvette in the first place?


Mrs. Hadley took off as soon as she got behind the wheel and had them at the hospital in under ten minutes. She pulled into emergency and got out. "Stay there," she ordered as she disappeared inside, only to reappear moments later with an orderly pushing a gurney. The orderly and Brian got Gus onto the gurney.


As they wheeled him inside Gus moaned," Justin, Justin."


"Fuck," Brian muttered. "Why does he keep asking for Justin?"


Mrs. Hadley opened her mouth to explain and then thought better of it. Brian didn't need more things to worry him. He was worried enough about Gus.


It took some time for all the paperwork and explanations. Gus was wheeled into a cubicle to be looked at while Brian showed his insurance and other documentation.


Mrs. Hadley sat in the waiting room. She was kicking herself for not taking Gus to see Justin. She had thought she was doing the right thing by following Justin's wishes. Now she could only hope Gus would be all right, because her failure to help him had been the reason Gus had tried to take the car to see Justin. The poor kid had thought he could get all the way to Pittsburgh in the Corvette. She knew that was what had happened as soon as she had heard Gus call for Justin. She wiped her eyes and waited.


When Brian finally came out, he looked so shattered. His bare chest was still streaked with Gus' blood.


"There's a restroom over there," Mrs. Hadley said indicating the facility she was referring to. "You may want to get rid of that.


Brian glanced at his chest noting that he didn't have a shirt and that he was covered in blood. "Yeah, I guess I better before I scare someone."


Brian disappeared into the restroom. He started the water and then looked at himself in the mirror. He remembered that other time when he had been covered in someone's blood. With a shudder he started washing himself. He saw the water reddened with Gus' blood disappear down the drain. Gus had to be all right. He couldn't go through this all over again.


Some minutes later Brian returned to the waiting room and sat down beside Mrs. Hadley. She looked at him with teary eyes. "Is Gus going to be all right?" she asked forcing her voice to work.


He looked at her and realized how worried she was and how much she cared for his son. He was lucky to have her around. "I don't know yet. They're still in with him." Brian ran his hand through his hair.


Mrs. Hadley patted his leg. "He's in good hands," she said.


"He fucking better be. What the hell was he doing in the Corvette?" Brian asked looking into her eyes, his face full of worry.


"I … I think I should come clean and tell you everything," she said softly.


"What?" he frowned wondering what the hell she was talking about.


"Gus saw an article in the newspaper," she began. "It was about a new show at the Sidney Bloom Gallery featuring the works of Justin Taylor."


"I know," Brian said simply.


Mrs. Hadley looked at her boss wondering that the man had known this and not said anything. "Gus asked me to take him to see Justin."


"He did? Fuck!"


"Yes, and I drove him into Pittsburgh. The day we saw the movie, we … we also went to the gallery."


Brian's raised eyebrow and scowl told Mrs. Hadley that he was not at all pleased with what she had done. "What happened?"


"Justin hadn't arrived from Europe yet, but Mr. Bloom was very nice to Gus and promised to tell Justin that Gus wanted to speak to him. There were a couple of tense days before Justin finally called."


"He called?"


"Yes, but it was late at night."


"Why didn't I hear the phone?"


"I gave Mr. Bloom my personal number. I didn't think you would be too happy about all these doings."


"You're fucking right! What did Justin say?"


"He … he said he didn't want to get involved."


"Involved?" Brian frowned. "Involved in what?"


"Um…"


"Um is not an answer. Tell me!" Brian ordered.


"I told him what Gus wanted and he didn't want to get involved."


"And just what did Gus want him to do?" Brian demanded although he had a sneaking suspicion that he already knew.


"He wanted Justin to talk to you about Mr. Fernley."


"Oh fucking shit!" Brian reacted.


"Mr. Kinney," a young doctor said coming into the waiting room and looking around.


"Yes," Brian said standing up.


"I'm Dr. Khan."


Brian nodded. "How's Gus?"


"He has a concussion."


"Shit! Is it serious?"


"Did he have a recent blow to the head before tonight?" the doctor asked not answering Brian's question.


"He fell against a tree and split his head open earlier in the day."


"And what happened tonight?"


"He crashed my car. I think he hit his head on the steering wheel."


"Was he unconscious?"


"Not exactly, but he seemed to have trouble focusing when I got to him. He kind of drifted in and out all the way here."


The doctor nodded. "The concussion is not a mild one. We've cleaned up the blood and stitched his head, but I believe he has given his brain a substantial bruise."


"Will … will he be all right?" Brian asked trying to keep his voice from breaking.


"I believe he will, but he seems very agitated."


"Can I see him?"


"Yes, in just a minute. Do you know who this Justin is that he keeps asking for?"


"Yes," Brian said almost in a whisper.


"Would it be possible for Justin to come here? It might help Gus to settle. We'll be keeping him overnight for observation and maybe tomorrow as well."


"I … I don't know how to get in touch with Justin," Brian said slowly.


Mrs. Hadley opened her purse and handed a piece of paper to Brian. "Justin gave me his cell number in case Gus needed him. I think Gus does."


Brian nodded taking the piece of paper from her. "Can I see Gus now?"


"Follow me," the doctor said.


Brian entered the cubicle apprehensively. Gus looked pale as he lay on the gurney, his eyes closed.


"Gus," Brian said gently.


"Dad?" Gus asked opening his eyes but not focusing too well.


"It's me, Sonny Boy. How are you doing?"


"My head hurts."


"I'm sure it does. Gus, what were you thinking?" Brian said before he could stop himself.


Brian watched tears well up in Gus' eyes. "I'm sorry, Dad. I just wanted to see Justin."


"I know. Mrs. Hadley told me. Don't cry, Gus. It'll make your head hurt more."


"I'm sorry, Dad. I really wanted to see Justin."


"At least you know I'm your dad," Brian said ignoring the last part of Gus' statement.


"What do you mean?" Gus asked trying to concentrate.


"You called me 'Cowboy Chicken'."


"I did?"


"Yeah, I'm surprised that you remembered that."


"I liked when we played Cowboy Chicken. It was fun," Gus said trying to smile but it came out more as a grimace.


"We're going to take Gus up to his room," an orderly said unlocking the brakes on the gurney.


"I want to see Justin," Gus repeated.


"Can I come with him?" Brian asked.


"Of course."


"Can you wait one second while I get Mrs. Hadley from the waiting room? She'll want to see Gus too."


"Sure," the orderly said.


Brian went out to the waiting room and called Mrs. Hadley. She gladly entered and put her hand on Gus' arm. "I'm so glad you're all right," she whispered.


"Please call Justin for me," Gus begged.


"Gus, stop worrying about Justin. Just rest," Brian said sternly.


The orderly started wheeling Gus out and the two adults followed.


"I think you should call Justin," Mrs. Hadley whispered to Brian.


"Stay out of this. You've caused enough trouble," Brian said through gritted teeth. He never appreciated being told what to do.


"Yes, sir," Mrs. Hadley said abruptly and hurried ahead to hold Gus' hand as the elevator doors opened. Brian followed them in.


Once Gus was settled in his room, Brian suggested that Mrs. Hadley go home. Brian intended to stay the night with his son.


"You need some clean clothes. I'll go back to the house and bring you some."


"Why don't you go home and ask Greg to bring me some clean clothes," Brian suggested.


"Of course, if that's what you wish."


"It's what I want."


Mrs. Hadley went over to Gus to tell him that she was leaving. He held onto her hand and begged once more. "Call Justin, please."


"You rest, Gus. I'll see you tomorrow." She turned and with a glance at Brian left the room.


"Dad…"


"Gus, close your eyes and try to rest."


"I want to see Justin," he persisted.


"Gus."


Finally Gus knew he wasn't going to get his wish. He closed his eyes and drifted off. Brian sat watching his son. He wondered how everything had got so out of whack that his son who was not yet thirteen had stolen his car and tried to drive it to see his ex-lover. Brian shook his head. He knew that the root of the problem was Greg. Greg and Gus were like oil and water. They just didn't mix. And there didn't seem to be much that Brian could do about that.


Brian knew that Greg could be selfish, but he was the best sex Brian had had in years. He was insatiable and Brian had to admit that he loved that. Greg made him feel young and virile, like the old stud of Liberty Avenue, not the one he had been for the last few years, going through the motions without really finding the satisfaction that he sought.


Brian wasn't ready to give up his young lover. They suited each other too well. It was nice to know that Greg was always there, always ready, always turned on. Brian smiled slightly. If only Greg would take more of an interest in Gus, and not be so snarky to the kid, everything would work out. He'd have to talk to Greg about that … again. Greg was supposed to be the adult. If only he would act like one where Gus was concerned.


Sitting in the chair beside Gus' bed, Brian had lots of time to think. He wondered if Greg had called his office and resigned. The man had been most eager for Brian to agree to support him while he tried to find a job closer to the mansion. Brian knew deep inside that Greg had no intention of looking for a job, but that really didn't matter. He could afford to support Greg, and Brian got lots of benefits in return.


Thinking of Greg, Brian looked at his watch. Mrs. Hadley had left almost forty minutes earlier. Greg should have returned with some clean clothes by now. Brian wondered what could be holding him up.


"Mr. Kinney, I need to wake your son," a thirty-something nurse said coming into the room.


"Okay," Brian said standing up. He took Gus' hand as the nurse said his son's name and gently shook the boy's shoulder.


"Justin, Justin," Gus mumbled as he tried to focus on what was happening.


"My name's Barbara," the nurse said. "Do you know where you are?"


Gus looked around and then focused on his father. "Hospital?"


"Yes, Gus. That's good. You're in the hospital. Do you remember what happened to you?" Barbara asked.


"Car … hit a tree. I feel sick," Gus groaned.


"Here," Barbara said holding a pan in front of Gus. "If you need to throw up, go ahead."


"I…" Gus started but then bent over and threw up in the pan that Barbara held in front of him. "My head," Gus moaned as she let him slide gently back against his pillow.


"It's going to hurt for a while. Try to sleep," she told the boy as she went into the bathroom and disposed of the contents of the pan. She returned with it freshly rinsed out and set it on the stand beside the bed. "He may need this again," she said.


"I think he's already asleep," Brian said holding Gus' hand.


"That's the best thing for him."


"Could you stay with him for a few minutes? I need to make a phone call."


"Sure, he'll be all right. Usually after they throw up, they rest for a while."


"I'll be back as quick as I can." Brian left the room and headed for the front of the building. He needed a fucking cigarette and he needed to find out where Greg was. It was after midnight.


Brian went out the main door only to run into Mrs. Hadley returning with a bag of clothing for him. "Where's Greg?" he asked as he took the bag from her.


"He … um … he doesn't like hospitals. He said he'd be waiting for you when you come home."


"He did, did he?" Brian asked not at all pleased.


"Should I go up to Gus?" she asked.


"I think you should go home and get some sleep. You've been a big help. Thank you."


"I … love that boy. He's a good kid," she said fiercely.


"I know and I appreciate it. The nurse is with him until I come back. I need a cigarette and I wanted to make a phone call."


"To Justin?"


"I was going to call Greg." Brian watched her face fall. "Thanks again for everything you've done tonight."


"I didn't mind in the least. I'll come in tomorrow morning and spell you off."


"Thanks."


"Good night, Mr. Kinney."


"Night," Brian said absently. His thoughts were on Greg. Why hadn't Greg come to support him? Even if he didn't like Gus, he could have made things easier for Brian. It would be nice to have someone there to tell him everything would be all right and hold onto him when he was scared that he might lose his son.


Brian pulled out a cigarette and lit up. He took a long drag and exhaled slowly, letting the nicotine course through his system. He drew his cell phone out of the pocket of his jeans. His thumb played with the number for the mansion and the number of Greg's cell phone.


With a sigh, he pulled the piece of paper out of his other pocket and dialed the number written on it.

 

"Justin, this is Brian Kinney."

Chapter 17 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 17


"Justin, this is Brian Kinney," Brian said into his cell phone as he stood outside the hospital.


"Brian? It's been a long time," Justin said grasping for something to say to his former fiancé.


"Yeah," Brian said letting out a long breath. At least Justin hadn't hung up. "Gus has had an accident and he's calling for you," Brian said, getting right to the point. "I know it's late, but do you think you could come and see him?"


"Of course," Justin said without hesitation. "Is he all right?"


"He has a concussion, and it could be serious."


"I'll come right away. What hospital are you at?"


"Um … I'm in Colchester in West Virginia," Brian said knowing what that would tell Justin. "There's only one hospital. He's in Room 321."


"I'll be there within an hour," Justin said.


"Thanks." Brian was happy that Justin was coming for Gus and he was happy that Justin hadn't said anything about Britin. He knew Justin knew that Colchester was the closest town to the mansion and that would speak volumes to Justin. No matter, it had to be done.


Justin stared at his phone for a moment before he put it in his pocket. He grabbed the keys to his rental car off the dresser in his mother's house. Quietly he made his way downstairs and took off, heading for West Virginia. He knew the route to Britin even though it had been years since he had used it. After Justin had gone to New York following the ill-advised attempt at marriage, he and Brian had spent several weekends at Britin, fucking and laughing and starting to decorate the place.


And then everything had fallen apart. Brian had got busy at Kinnetik. Justin had been part of a four man show at a good art gallery in Soho. They never seemed able to connect for weeks that gradually stretched into months. Brian had come to Justin's opening, but things had been rather strained when Justin was busy schmoozing the right people at all hours of the day and night. Brian had finally gone back to Pittsburgh frustrated and angry that Justin had so little time for him. There had been some phone calls, but Justin had felt Brian drawing farther away from him and setting up some of his old walls.


Brian Kinney took a helluva lot of maintenance. Quite frankly Justin didn't have the stamina to give Brian the time and effort needed to maintain their relationship, especially when it was a long distance relationship. Justin had worked so hard to establish himself in New York. He had even gotten sick with pneumonia that second spring he had spent in the Big Apple. He didn't tell Brian because he didn't want Brian to worry and he knew that Brian was very busy at Kinnetik.


But that had been the beginning of the end for them. Brian resented Justin's refusals to come to Pittsburgh, even though his reason was that he didn't want Brian to see him sick. But even more, Brian resented being told not to go to New York. There had been some arguments on the phone and then a long period of silence when neither of them called.


Just after Justin finally got well he had the opportunity to go to Europe to study and paint. It was a trip he couldn't refuse. He had called Brian to tell him he was going. He could hear the coldness in Brian's voice as the man wished him well and repeated his mantra about becoming a big, fat, fucking success. That was the last time they had talked until tonight.


Justin turned off the main road looking for the signs that indicated a hospital. It wasn't hard to find his way there. He felt funny walking into a hospital so late at night. There was hardly anybody around, but Brian had said Gus was on the third floor, so he rode the elevator up. He wondered what Brian would look like after all this time. He was nervous about seeing his ex, and in a hospital of all places. That did not bode well.


As Justin stepped off the elevator, he saw a sign with arrows pointing the direction to groups of numbered rooms. He followed the directions to Room 321. The door was closed but he took a deep breath and pushed it open.


Gus lay pale and sleeping in the bed. Brian was seated in a chair beside the bed, his head resting on his forearms which lay beside Gus. One of Brian's hands rested gently on the boy's arm.


Justin smiled and tried to shut the door quietly. When he turned around, Brian was staring at him. He wondered what the man was thinking, unable to read what was on his still beautiful face.


Brian felt his heart clutch in his throat. Justin looked more beautiful than ever. He was all grown up and sexy as hell. He wore a loose shirt over cargo pants. Some things never changed, and apparently cargo pants refused to go the way of the dodo. "Hey," Brian said gently.


"How is he?" Justin asked cocking his head towards Gus.


"He's been sleeping for a while. He threw up a couple of times. I think he's exhausted."


"What happened?"


"He drove my car into a tree."


Justin's eyes got very large. "What the fuck was he doing driving your car?"


"He was on his way to see you," Brian said and couldn't help but have his mouth curl into an ironic smile.


"Me? Fuck. Is this because I said I wouldn't help him?" Justin frowned. "Oops, you probably weren't supposed to know that."


"Mrs. Hadley told me, and thanks for trying to stay out of it."


"I didn't think it was any of my business … as long as you're happy," Justin added.


"Happy?" Brian asked.


"You and your new boyfriend."


"You … you know about Greg?"


"That's his name? No, I only know that Gus doesn't seem to like him very much, and that feeling may be mutual."


"Fuck! Mrs. Hadley told you all that?"


"Don't blame her, Brian. I was just trying to figure out what I was getting into."


"Yeah, right."


"Look, I came because you said Gus wanted to see me. When will he be awake? He's not in a coma, is he?" That thought had just occurred to Justin and his face went pale as he said the words.


Brian saw the color drain from Justin's face. He placed an arm around the smaller man, touching his back reassuringly. "No, he's sleeping. That's all." Brian looked at his watch. "They should be in any minute now to wake him up."


"Oh."


"Apparently he bruised his brain when his head hit the steering wheel," Brian explained.


"I guess he wasn't wearing a seat belt," Justin observed.


Brian smiled slightly remembering the public service announcements that Justin was so good at reciting. "When you're stealing a car, I don't think seat belts are something you worry about."


Justin nodded seeing the irony of what he had said.


"Excuse me," a nurse said coming into the room and finding the men standing so close together. "Visiting hours are long over."


"Barbara," Brian said to Gus' nurse. "This is the Justin that Gus has been calling for. He came all the way from Pittsburgh."


"Oh, hello," she said looking at Justin. "I need to wake Gus again. He'll be pleased to see you." She made her way over to the bed where she called Gus' name and gently shook his shoulder.


"Justin," Gus moaned. "Justin."


Barbara looked knowingly at the two men.


"Gus, buddy, I'm here," Justin said taking Gus' hand.


"Justin?" Gus asked opening his eyes and looking at Justin. "Is it really you? Am I dreaming?"


"I'm here," Justin smiled.


"How?"


"Your dad called me."


Gus looked over at his father who stood on the other side of the bed. Brian nodded. "Thanks," Gus said.


"How's your head?" Barbara asked. "Still have a headache?"


"It's better now that Justin's here," Gus said trying to smile.


"Glad to hear that," Barbara said. "Justin has had the right effect on you."


"So, buddy, what do you want to talk to me about?" Justin asked.


Brian looked at Gus and then he asked Barbara if he could talk to her outside, thus leaving Gus and Justin alone. He figured his son better get all this out of his system. As Brian walked out with Barbara, he couldn't help but think about Greg and why the man hadn't called or come to see him or Gus. Justin had been there in a flash. Brian frowned.


"Mr. Kinney," Barbara said, "if you're wondering about what Gus said about his head being better?" Brian nodded. "It helps if he is calm and not restless when he sleeps. This may be a very good thing."


"Will he be able to go home tomorrow?"


Barbara frowned. "I doubt it. I think he'll be here for at least one more night. Tomorrow the doctor wants an MRI which should tell us more."


"Okay," Brian said slowly. "He is going to be all right, isn't he?"


"Concussions take a long time to get over, but he's young and resilient. I think he'll be fine, but he's going to have to take it easy for quite a while."


"Thanks," Brian said.


He glanced back at the room knowing that Gus didn't really want him there while he talked with Justin. He decided to go outside, have a cigarette and maybe a make a phone call.


Justin sat down beside Gus' bed still holding onto the boy's hand. He wasn't sure what he could say to Gus. If Gus wanted his help to get rid of Brian's boyfriend, there was nothing that he could do … nor would he want to.


"Justin," Gus said. "I was trying to come to Pittsburgh to see you."


"I know. Your father told me."


"It's about Greg, Dad's new boyfriend."


"I don't want to get involved, Gus," Justin said gently. "Your dad has his own life to live and I'm not part of it anymore."


"But you came," Gus protested.


"Brian said you needed me."


"I do."


Justin sighed. "Maybe in time you and Greg will be able to get along."


Gus closed his eyes fighting back tears. "No," he said.


"Gus…"


"He hates me. He wants Dad all to himself."


"How do you know that?"


"He says things to me when Dad can't hear."


Justin's eyebrows went up. "He does?"


"Awful things … like he's gloating about getting his way … like how I won't be around for much longer."


"You'll always be Brian's son."


"Not if he can find a way to get rid of me."


"Okay, Gus," Justin said rubbing the boy's arm. "That's enough for now. You need to rest."


"Justin," Gus said closing his eyes. "Thanks for coming."


"You're welcome," Justin replied as he tried to figure out how he was going to get himself out of this mess that he now seemed to be caught in the middle of. Justin rubbed Gus' arm and realized he was already asleep.


Meanwhile Brian was smoking a cigarette at the front of the hospital and wondering why Justin's presence had affected him so deeply. He knew everything was over between him and his former lover, but when Justin had walked into Gus' room it was like flashing back to the past. All their previous history had washed over Brian almost smothering him. Justin had looked so good, hardly any different than the last time Brian had seen him. But he had also looked more mature and confident. Brian appreciated the change. Justin had come to his full manhood and he was quite a man.


But something more was bothering Brian. It had taken him a while to figure it out. When Justin had mentioned Brian's boyfriend, it had all started to come together. Brian had called Justin in the middle of the night and he had come instantly, all the way from Pittsburgh, without hardly a question, to see Gus and make sure he was all right. Greg, on the other hand, who was supposed to be his boyfriend, who was supposed to be moving in permanently, couldn't even travel the ten minutes it would have taken him to get to the hospital. Brian frowned thinking about Greg being afraid of hospitals. If anyone was afraid of hospitals, it was Justin. He had almost lost his life in one. He had spent all those agonizing weeks in rehab in the hospital. But still he had come because Gus had needed him.


Brian felt his anger growing. He pulled out his cell phone and hit Greg's number. It rang and rang. His asshole boyfriend must be asleep, Brian decided as it went to voicemail. "Greg, this is Brian. Either get your ass to the hospital or get the fuck out of my house." Brian slammed his phone shut. He knew which of those choices he hoped Greg would make but it wasn't likely that he would be that lucky.


Brian stomped out the remainder of his cigarette and headed back inside. He needed to find out if Gus had convinced Justin to get involved in their lives once again.


"Hey," Brian said as he entered the hospital room. "How's he doing?" He watched Justin's hand running gently along Gus' arm. It was a gesture of affection and caring and support. And that is what he never got from Greg. He got hot sex whenever he wanted it, but none of the really important things. How could he have missed that?


"We talked for a couple of minutes and then he fell back asleep."


"He's been doing that ever since I brought him in."


"How much longer will he be here?"


"Barbara said she thinks he will have to stay tomorrow. They're going to do an MRI."


"Oh."


"What did he say to you?"


Justin had been dreading this moment, but he had already decided that he was going to tell the truth and the whole truth. There was no point in beating around the bush about this. "He thinks your boyfriend hates him and is trying to get him out of your life."


Brian snorted. "Greg hardly knows Gus."


"Gus has had Greg say some things to him when you couldn't hear. He's very worried."


"Is that all he said?" Brian asked not at all pleased to have this laid out in front of Justin.


"Just about. He fell asleep."


Brian sighed. How the fuck had he got into this mess?


"Where's Lindsay?" Justin asked.


"Huh?"


"You know, tall blonde woman, Gus' mother."


"Oh, you mean there's something about our lives that you don't know!" Brian knew he was being a bitch but this whole situation was really pissing him off.


"Look, you asked me here. If you want me to go, I will," Justin said staring Brian straight in the face.


"No," Brian retracted. "I don't want you to go. Gus needs you."


"I can't help him, Brian. You're the only one who can."


"There's a coffee machine in the lobby. Let's go get some and talk a bit."


"Are you sure?"


"I'm sure."


"What about Gus?"


"He'll likely sleep until the next time they wake him. That's forty minutes from now. I'll tell Barbara where I'm going."


"Okay," Justin agreed. Brian went and kissed Gus on the top of his head before they left the room.


Some minutes later, they were seated in the lobby waiting room sipping the less than excellent hospital coffee machine coffee.


"So what about Lindsay?" Justin asked. "Are they still in Toronto?"


Brian nodded. "And they're still together."


"So why do you have Gus?"


Brian let out a long breath. He hated to admit all this to Justin. "My son was out of control. I just got him back with me a few weeks ago."


"Out of control? Gus?"


"I … I haven't seen Gus for almost five years," Brian admitted. He couldn't look into Justin's eyes when he said that. "Gus had a really bad time at school in Toronto. The Munchers asked me to stay away, to give them time to get Gus settled in. One year led to another, and you know how Melanie can be. So I stayed away."


"What happened?"


"Apparently Gus flunked last year and was about to be expelled for carrying a knife to school."


"Holy fuck!"


"My sentiments exactly. Lindsay called and asked me to come to Toronto. Gus was belligerent and defiant. I can see why they wanted help."


"It couldn't have been that bad," Justin said.


"Gus … he had pushed Lindsay around. There were bruises on her arms from where he grabbed her. There were other bruises that I didn't see."


"Gus?" Justin asked in disbelief.


"JR is afraid of Gus. The girls wanted to get Gus away from her, so I agreed to take him."


"And he came with you … just like that?"


Brian snorted. "He refused to leave Toronto. He was the master of the house and he wasn't about to give that up. He cried and threatened and promised. Melanie, for once in her fucking life, held the trump card. Gus could have been arrested when he had that knife at school. She had a police officer friend who was willing to take Gus into custody if he didn't go with me."


"I … I can't believe things were so bad. He looks so normal lying up there."


"He's been moving in the right direction until…"


"Until what?"


"I guess until Greg came into the picture," Brian admitted thinking about when things had started to go downhill.


"So maybe Gus is right and Greg needs to get out of the picture."


Brian looked at Justin wondering how he could have been so stupid. And just earlier, he had told Greg that he could quit his job and move into the mansion permanently. Brian felt tears well up at his own stupidity and selfishness. He was as guilty as Greg was for what had happened to Gus. He should have known better, even if his lover didn't.

 

Brian wiped at his eyes and looked at his watch. "We better get back upstairs. It's almost time to wake Gus again."

Chapter 18 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 18


When Mrs. Hadley arrived at the hospital around nine o'clock the following morning, she was surprised to see two men sitting in chairs next to Gus' bed.


"Morning," she said looking at Brian and then at Justin.


"Hi," Justin said standing up. "You must be Mrs. Hadley. I talked to you on the phone. I'm Justin Taylor."


Mrs. Hadley smiled and shook Justin's hand. So this was her boss' ex-lover. He certainly seemed to be a cut above Greg Fernley. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Taylor. How's Gus doing?"


"Gus is okay," a little voice from the bed said.


"Hey, Sonny Boy, did we wake you?" Brian asked. Gus nodded. "How do you feel?"


"My head doesn't hurt as much," Gus said.


"That's good," Mrs. Hadley replied.


Just then Barbara came into the room. "Morning, everyone," she said. "You're awake, Gus. That's good."


"He woke up himself," Brian said.


"Excellent. We have an MRI scheduled for 3 p.m."


"Can I go home after that?"


"'Fraid not, kiddo," Barbara joked. "We want your excellent company for one more night." She proceeded to take his temperature and BP.


"Mr. Kinney," Mrs. Hadley said while Barbara was ministering to Gus. "If you'd like to go home and take a nap, I'll stay with Gus."


"I don't know," Brian said running his hand through his hair. "I want to be here."


"You don't look like you slept all night. You need some rest if you're going to be any help to Gus," she explained rationally.


"Well, maybe…"


"And I should head back to Pittsburgh," Justin said.


Gus had been listening to all this, and his blood pressure went up as he heard Justin talk about leaving. "Justin, don't go. Stay a little longer," Gus begged.


"I'm kind of tired and I have to be at the gallery by four."


"You could go home with Dad and sleep in my bed. I'd like to talk to you one more time before the MRI," Gus said using his best pleading voice.


Justin looked at Brian who shrugged. "Okay, Gus," he said slowly. "We'll be back around two."


"Thanks," Gus said trying his best to smile confidently.


"I'll see you in a bit," Brian said kissing Gus' head. He nodded at Mrs. Hadley and walked out of the room with Justin following him.


"Maybe I should just head out," Justin said.


Brian looked at Justin knowing that would probably be for the best, but something inside him wasn't quite ready for that to happen. "Gus has been so much better, calmer, since you arrived. I don't think it would be good to disappoint him at this point."


"Maybe you're right," Justin agreed. "I could get a motel room."


"Don't be a dick. You can sleep in Gus' bed or in the master suite or…" Brian didn't finish that statement.


Justin looked at Brian but the man refused to meet his gaze. They walked in silence outside.


"I don't have a fucking car," Brian said as the realization that he had arrived in Mrs. Hadley's car suddenly hit him.


"I have a rental," Justin grinned. "You can ride with me."


"Thanks," Brian said with a silly grin.


They arrived at Britin not long after. Justin got out of the car, looking at the large house and remembering the first time he had seen the place. That had been when Brian and he had seriously thought about marriage. How long ago that was! "I can't believe you kept it," Justin said his voice soft and full of emotion.


"Most of the time neither can I," Brian admitted.


"Why … why did you?"


"I don't know," Brian replied. "I thought about selling it many times, but I never … could. And now Gus is with me and it seemed like a good place for him."


"I think he's made good progress from what you said."


"I hope so." Brian looked across the lawn at his Corvette still plastered against the tree. "I guess I should call someone to haul that away."


Justin looked at the vintage car and remembered all the times he had ridden in it, especially the first time Brian had brought him to Britin. "Do you think it can be fixed?"


Brian shrugged. "I don't know. It doesn't matter though. It's from another time in my life."


"Yeah," Justin agreed, although Brian didn't see the sadness in his eyes as he said that.


"Come on in. I'm sure Mrs. Hadley left us something to eat in the kitchen."


Justin followed Brian inside noting the empty foyer and the lack of personal items. He remembered that Brian liked to keep things minimal but it sure wasn't very inviting to step into that foyer. He'd add a table and some silk flowers and a couple of chairs. Just then, Justin realized what he was doing and shivered. He couldn't go there. That time was long past. It was from another time in his life, like the Corvette was for Brian.


The kitchen looked much more inviting, but Justin suspected that had more to do with Mrs. Hadley than with Brian. A basket of freshly baked muffins sat on the table. Coffee was in the pot. The note from Mrs. Hadley said, "Help yourself." They sat at the table and enjoyed the muffins and a cup of coffee.


"Mrs. Hadley's a great cook," Justin said as he polished off his second muffin.


"Yeah, she's been very patient with Gus," Brian replied as he picked at his muffin. "I think they've really learned to care about each other even in the short time Gus has been here."


"That's good. He needs people to love him and take care of him from what you said."


"Yeah. I don't know how I could have let it get so bad."


"It happens without you realizing," Justin agreed thinking about how easily he and Brian had drifted apart even though that had not been what they wanted.


"Let's go upstairs," Brian said. "I need to lie down." He had suddenly realized that the ultimatum he had made to Greg had not been met by Greg coming to the hospital. That must mean that Greg had left. Brian hadn't thought to look and see if Greg's car was still beside the house. He had been too involved in watching Justin's reaction to seeing Britin again.


"Yeah, I could use a nap," Justin agreed.


They headed up the stairs and Brian directed Justin into Gus' room. Justin seemed to approve of what Brian and Gus had done in the way of decorating it. Justin kicked off his sneakers and lay down on the bed before Brian even closed the door.


Brian took one last look at Justin lying on Gus' bed. He used to like to watch Justin sleep, but he quickly closed the door before he fell into that old habit.


Making a quick decision, Brian went downstairs instead of into his bedroom. He headed into the library picking up the phone on his desk. He hit number 5 on his speed dial. It was a number he hadn't used much in the last few years.


"Lindz, it's Brian."


"Brian? Is something wrong?"


"Gus was in an accident last night. He has a concussion."


"Oh my God. Is he okay? Should I come there?"


"He's having an MRI this afternoon. We'll know more then."


"How could you let him get into an accident? What the fuck happened, Brian?"


"He stole my car and ran into a tree, hit his head on the steering wheel."


"Stole your car?"


"Yeah," Brian said knowing he was going to get blasted in the next breath.


"I thought he was doing better. How could he steal your car? He can't drive."


"That's why he ran it into a tree."


"He … he didn't hurt anyone else, did he?"


Brian could hear the fear in her voice. "Just the tree," he said trying to lighten the mood.


"Jesus, Brian, he could be dead."


"But he's not. He's in the hospital, and from what they say, he should be fine. I was there with him all night."


"Should I come to Pittsburgh?"


"I don't think that's necessary. I'll call you when we know something from the MRI. In the meantime, stay put."


"You think I shouldn't come?"


"Gus feels bad about what he did. I think you'll make him feel worse if you come here now."


"But I'm his mother."


"I know that and I'll call you from the hospital so you can talk to him."


"Okay … I guess. When will that be?"


"Late afternoon."


"I'll be waiting.


Brian cut the connection. That hadn't been quite as bad as he had expected. He had expected to be reamed out royally. With a sigh Brian headed up to his bedroom to get some rest. He glanced at the door of Gus' room thinking about who was inside. He felt his hand reaching out for the knob before he was able to get a grip on himself and turn back to his own door. He opened it and headed inside.


Brian had started to pull off his T-shirt when he realized that someone was in his bed. For a split second he thought maybe Justin was… Then the darker hair that he saw against the pillow revealed the truth. Greg was still in the house, sleeping in his bed.


"What the fuck!" Brian said out loud.


"Baby," Greg smiled as he rolled over and looked up at Brian.


"Don't fucking call me that! Why are you still here?"


"I live here with you … remember." Greg smiled like everything was just hunky dory between them.


"Did you get my message?"


"Oh … that. I figured you were upset about Gus, but I really hate hospitals."


"Why didn't you come?"


"Gus wouldn't want me there," Greg stated.


"Even if Gus wouldn't want you, did it ever occur to you that I might need you?" Brian asked staring at his lover with eyes that were finally seeing the whole picture.


"You're here now, baby. Come over here and I'll make you feel so much better."


"Is that all you think about … sex?" Brian asked in amazement at the insensitivity of this man that he had been prepared to make a huge part of his life.


"I thought that was all you thought about too."


"Too fucking much!" Brian reacted.


"There can never be too much fucking," Greg giggled.


"Fucking Christ, Greg! I've been up all night and my son could have died and you're making fucking jokes!!!"


"Hey, calm down. I'm just trying to show you a different take on things, make you feel better."


"I'm not going to feel better until you gather up your trash and get the fuck out of my house."


"Brian…?"


"I don't want to talk to you anymore. Pack your shit. We're over!"


Brian turned and headed out the door. He had a fucking whopper of a headache and now he couldn't even lie down in his own bed until this asshole got out of his house. He stomped down the stairs and went into the library. He headed to the bar and poured himself a large scotch. He downed about half of it and went to look out the window. Staring into space might calm him down.


The first thing his eyes spotted was the wreckage of his Corvette. Brian leafed through his address book until he found the garage that always serviced his Corvette. He dialed the number and asked for Steve.


"Steve, this is Brian Kinney."


"Hello, Mr. Kinney. Not having trouble with our baby, are you?"


"Our baby is wrapped around a tree in my front yard."


"Shit! What happened?"


"It's a long story. I wondered if you could send someone to tow it in to your shop. You can look it over and tell me if it's worth fixing."


"Sure, I can do that."


"Could you have it towed today if possible?"


"I think I can arrange that."


"Thanks, Steve. I owe you one."


"You may owe me a lot if this is as bad as it sounds."


"I'm afraid we may have to scrap her," Brian admitted.


"Well, let's not be hasty. Let me have a look first."


"Okay, and thanks."


Brian cut the connection. He drank the rest of his scotch and went and poured himself another one. He slumped down on the sofa suddenly feeling all the weight of being a parent. It was a fucking lot harder than it looked. He couldn't believe Gus had tried to steal his car. How could he have let things get to that point?


Brian stared at the fireplace wondering if Greg was actually packing. That would be too easy. He was sure he was going to have to have a showdown with the man and bodily toss him out of the house. The only problem was that he didn't have the strength or the resolve to do that at the moment. He didn't particularly want Greg around now that he had seen what the man was made of … or rather what the man wasn't made of. However, he relished the idea of being alone even less.


He laid his head back on the sofa and closed his eyes. He had been going along lately ignoring everything except the idea that he was heading into some kind of relationship with Greg. It had felt good … for a while. It was nice not to be alone all the time. It had been great having all the sex he could handle and not having to go cruising to find it. It had even been good to have someone to talk to even though the talking had been rather limited. They had spent the vast majority of their time together fucking.


Brian rubbed his palms over his eyes. He had ignored Gus so much since Greg had moved in. Funny that he hadn't realized that until now. He should have noticed how much Gus was affected by his actions, but he hadn't really thought about it. Did that make him a shitty dad? It certainly did in his books. Even though he had almost no preparation to be a father to Gus, he should have seen what was going on. He couldn't believe that Gus had been so bothered by Greg that he had stolen the Corvette to get to Justin in Pittsburgh.


What had Gus thought Justin could do? He couldn't have thought that Brian and Justin would get back together. Maybe Gus remembered how much he liked Justin when he was a little boy. Brian used to think that Gus liked Justin better than him. His two Sonny Boys had played together whenever they could. A faint smile curled the corners of Brian's mouth. Those had been good times. He wished he had appreciated them more back then, rather than denying for so long that Justin meant everything to him.


Brian stayed still, hoping sleep would claim him, but that was not going to happen. Brian sat up looking around. He wanted another drink. But his watch said it was only eleven-thirty in the morning. He shouldn't be drinking at all. He didn't want to go back to the hospital smelling of scotch.


Maybe if he had a shower he would feel better. His shower was off his bedroom and as far as he knew, Greg was still up there. Gus' bathroom was off his bedroom and Justin was sleeping in there. He could hardly sneak in to use it. There was a shower between the two guest bedrooms but he had never been in there yet. There would be no soap or shampoo or anything in that bathroom. The only shower he could actually use was the one off the master bedroom and he knew he could never bring himself to go in there, especially with Justin in the house.


He put his head back and closed his eyes again. If he could only sleep, maybe he would feel better. He must have dozed off for a few minutes because when he woke up he could feel a warm mouth on his cock. He arched his back and groaned as talented lips sucked him off.


"Justin," he whispered without thinking and shot his load into the accepting mouth.


"Huh?" a voice said.


Brian opened his eyes and looked down into the face of Greg Fernley. "What the fuck?"


"What did you just say?" Greg asked with a frown.


"I said 'What the fuck?'" Brian repeated.


"No, before that."


"None of your fucking business!"


"You said someone's name and it wasn't mine."


"I don't know what you're talking about," Brian denied. "I was asleep."


Greg stared at his soon to be ex-lover. "Don't fucking lie to me. I heard you."


"What did you hear?"


"I heard you say Justin."


"I did? You must need to get your ears tested."


"Who's Justin?" Greg demanded still on his knees in front of Brian.


"None of your goddamn business. Get out."


"You asked me to stay here. I … I gave up my job."


"Technically you begged me to stay here, and you haven't missed a day's work yet so ask them for your job back," Brian stated. He suddenly felt nothing for this man … nothing except revulsion.


"Brian, how can you treat me like this?"


"Greg, it's over. Just walk away."


"I can't. I love you," Greg said tears in his eyes.


"Even if you believe that, Greg, you don't know what the fuck love is or you would have been with me at the hospital last night. We're through."


"Like you fucking know what love is! You've just been using me."


"And that was fine with you as long as you were using me."


"Well, it's not fine anymore."


"That's why you have to go," Brian said wearily.


"You can't toss me out like a piece of garbage."


'That's exactly what you are,' Brian thought. "Greg, just leave," Brian said out loud.


"I'm not going anywhere," Greg said defiantly, standing up so that he was no longer in an inferior position.


"Can't you just leave without all this melodrama?"


"Don't you fucking talk to me about melodrama! That fucking kid of yours is the cause of all this. We'd be fine if he wasn't here," Greg yelled. The veins in his temples were standing out.


Brian felt his blood start to boil. "You leave my son out of this. He's still in the hospital and I won't have you badmouthing him. He has nothing to do with what's going on between you and me."


"He has everything to do with it. I know he wants to get rid of me."


"About as much as you want to get rid of him. Well, guess what? You lose. So get. the. fuck. out!"


Greg crossed his arms in a defiant gesture. Brian was about ready to slug him when he thought of a better idea. He quickly ran up the stairs and grabbed everything of Greg's that he could find. He slammed the bedroom door behind him and carried Greg's possessions down to the foyer. He opened the front door and tossed them out.


"You asshole!" Greg shouted as he watched from the library door.


"You're next," Brian yelled. "Now leave!"


"Brian, what's going on?" Justin asked in a sleepy voice from the top of the stairs.


"Just putting out the trash," Brian replied. "Go back to sleep."


"You fucking bastard! You've already brought my replacement into the house!" Greg yelled at Brian. "I don't fucking believe it!"


"Justin is not your replacement. He came here to see Gus."


"Justin! That's Justin? That's whose name you called out when I was sucking you off! You, you, you are despicable!"


Brian opened his mouth to reply but he couldn't think of anything to say. Justin was staring at him from the top of the stairs and he felt his cheeks start to burn.


"I'm gone," Greg said drawing himself up to his full six feet of height. "I don't have to put up with this shit! You'll be sorry when you realize what you've lost." Greg stormed past Brian and out the front door.

 

Brian kicked it closed behind him and turned to face Justin.

Chapter 19 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 19


"Brian?" Justin asked again. He stood at the top of the stairs in his socks looking questioningly down at his former lover.


"Go back to sleep," Brian said wearily.


"I want to know what that was all about," Justin insisted. He thought he had something to do with it because of what the man had said before storming out.


"Of course you do," Brian said sarcastically. Why did every fucking person in his life think they had a right to know what was going on with him?


Justin started down the stairs. "We need to talk," he said slowly.


"I really don't want to talk. I need a shower and in about an hour, we need to get back to the hospital."


"Is it that late?" Justin asked.


"Yeah."


"Okay, but I still think we need to talk." Justin stopped part way down the stairs.


"Talking is highly overrated," Brian snarled. He felt his headache throb and he felt like shit about what had just happened with Greg. That was part of the reason he never did relationships, well, almost never.


Justin frowned. "I'm sorry you still feel that way."


Brian winced, thinking about all the times that there had been a failure to communicate where he and Justin were concerned. "If you want a shower, use Gus' bathroom," Brian said tersely as he passed Justin on the stairs. "I'll use my own bathroom now that nothing's in the way."


Justin watched Brian disappear as he turned down the hallway at the top of the stairs. He shook his head. He should never have come here. He should have kept his distance from Brian. But Gus had needed him and Gus wasn't Brian. Justin felt the need to get out of the house, but he knew Gus expected him to return to the hospital. So he would.


With a sigh he climbed the stairs and went back into Gus' bedroom. A shower would feel good. He started the water and resignedly removed his clothes.


Brian stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around himself. He felt a little better. It was good to be clean even if the water hadn't washed away his headache or Gus' concussion or Greg the asshole's departure. Everything was so fucked up when just yesterday it had all seemed so good.


Brian heaved a big sigh and sat down on the edge of his bed. It stunk of sex … and Greg Fernley. He started ripping the sheets off. He couldn't stand the smell a second longer. He fished out clean sheets and dumped the soiled ones in the hamper in the bathroom. Mrs. Hadley would take care of them for him. He'd have to remember to tell her to make sure they were thoroughly disinfected. He went back to making the bed when he heard a gentle tap at his door.


He walked to the door knowing it had to be Justin. "Yes?" he said tersely as he opened the door.


"Thought I should let you know I'm ready whenever you are," Justin said. He couldn't take his eyes off Brian's nearly naked body. The towel didn't cover a lot, except for the best parts. Justin smiled in spite of himself.


Brian raised an eyebrow. "Like what you see?"


"I always have," Justin said and immediately regretted those words.


Brian chuckled. "Thanks for that, anyway," he said.


Justin was surprised that Brian would thank him. Maybe he was more upset about the guy he just kicked out than Justin had realized. He looked over Brian's shoulder and saw the partially made bed. "Cleaning up?" he asked.


"Had to get rid of the last remnants of a big mistake."


Justin smiled. "Want some help?"


"Um … sure."


Justin entered the room looking around. Brian headed for the bed and Justin helped him arrange the clean sheets on the bed.


"Brian, can I ask why you're sleeping in here?" Justin said curious at Brian's choice of bedroom.


"I like it here."


"What about the master suite?"


"That … that's just the way you left it."


"The way … I … left it?"


"Yeah, you want to see?"


"Um … yeah," Justin said his curiosity getting the better of him.


"You know where it is," Brian said staring into Justin's eyes.


"Come with me?"


Brian was about to refuse when Justin held out his hand. Automatically Brian's hand found its way inside the extended hand and Justin led his former lover down the hall. Tentatively Justin reached for the doorknob and opened the door to the master suite. He pulled Brian inside almost afraid to look at what was in there. Brian heard the little gasp as Justin's breath caught in his throat.


"You got the bed!"


"Yeah," Brian said. "I thought we'd get to use it."


"I … remember the day we saw this in the store. I wanted it so bad but you weren't sure," Justin said unable to drag his eyes away from the bed.


"I wanted it too," Brian admitted. "But I pretended I didn't know for sure so that I could surprise you with it later."


"But I never came here again," Justin said sadly.


"No … you didn't."


"I wish I'd known."


"What difference would it have made?" Brian asked studying Justin's reaction.


"It would have made a difference," Justin stated finally looking away from the bed and into Brian's eyes.


Brian shrugged. "Notice anything else?" he asked.


Justin looked around and saw one of his paintings hanging on the wall across from the bed. "How … how did you get that?"


"I bought it," Brian said with a smirk.


"Why?"


"I liked it. I … wanted it."


"I … would have given it to you," Justin whispered.


"I didn't want you to give it to me. I wanted to buy it."


"You were trying to help me," Justin almost accused him.


"I was … to some extent, but look at what it's worth today. It was a good investment."


"You always make good investments," Justin said with a smile.


"Not always," Brian replied thinking about all the time he had invested in Greg Fernley.


"So, why don't you use this room?"


"Gus likes sitting in the bay window off the study."


"That wasn't my question."


"I … I don't like coming in here … without you," Brian admitted baring his soul.


Justin sucked in a quick breath. That was not what he had expected to hear. "Should we be getting back to the hospital?" Justin asked deciding he wasn't ready to deal with the ramifications of that answer.


"I guess so, but I better get dressed first," Brian grinned.


"If you have to," Justin laughed.


Brian looked at Justin remembering the lust that had always existed between them, even when things weren't going well. With a shake of his head he said, "Why don't you go see if you can rustle us up a sandwich or something and I'll put some clothes on?"


"Sure."


Brian disappeared into his bedroom and Justin headed downstairs. He saw the doorway to the library where Greg had been standing. He remembered it was the place where he and Brian had made love the first day they had come to Britin together. Justin couldn't resist and headed for the doorway. He stepped inside and all the old memories flooded through him. He could see the fireplace flickering and the sheet that had covered some furniture that they threw on the floor so they could fuck in comfort. Justin smiled at the memory. They had been going to get married. Everything should have been perfect but even then Justin had known that they were both giving up their fundamental beliefs and needs in order to hang on. He was pretty sure Brian knew it too, but they had pretended and that day had been … glorious.


"Memories?" Brian said from behind him and Justin jumped.


"Yeah."


"I can't come in here without remembering," Brian admitted.


"Do you sit in here often?" The room was furnished, more so than many others in the big house.


"It's the one room I actually use."


"Oh?"


"I always liked it in here."


"Do … do you ever think about that first day?"


Brian stared into Justin's eyes. "I think about it all the time," he said softly.


Justin swallowed hard. This was Brian actually saying that, actually voicing that he was human, actually admitting that he had the same feelings Justin did. The world suddenly felt very strange and uncomfortable. Justin swallowed again. "I never got to the kitchen to make us a sandwich," he said hoping that was a safe topic of conversation.


"I'm not hungry anyway. We can get something at the hospital if we need it."


"Okay," Justin replied.


"Shall we go?"


"Yes, we shall," Justin said looking at Brian warily like he hardly knew this man that he had lived with for four years … well, off and on for four years.


"I think I better take my car and you can take yours, so you can get back to the gallery in time."


"But the Corvette's wrecked."


"I have another car," Brian laughed.


"Oh."


"Let's go."


Justin got into his car and watched as Brian pulled up in a black Mercedes. He waved at Justin who followed him as he started down the drive. Brian was driving a Mercedes. Did that mean he had grown up? Yet he had still kept the Corvette until Gus had driven it into the tree. Justin wasn't at all sure what to make of this new and different Brian Kinney. He felt slightly disoriented about the whole thing.


Brian glanced in the rearview mirror, watching that Justin was following him back to the hospital. With a frown Brian thought about their encounter in his bedroom, and then in the master suite and finally in the library. Something had been going on between them, but he couldn't quite put his finger on what it was. They both knew that anything they had shared in the past was long over, and yet … there had been something. Brian had enjoyed the feeling of his hand in Justin's. It had been almost like … before.


They were both quiet as they made their way up to Gus' room in the hospital. Mrs. Hadley was sitting with Gus and he was still awake, looking only a little the worse for wear.


"How are you doing, Sonny Boy?" Brian asked kissing Gus on the top of the head.


"A little better," Gus replied. "Hi, Justin."


"Hi, Gus. I'm glad you're feeling better."


"Me too."


"Are you ready for your MRI?" Brian asked.


"The nurse said I have to stay really still and lie inside this tube thing. Do you think it will be scary?" Gus asked with a quaver in his voice.


"I think you should close your eyes and think about floating in the pool at the house, and it'll be over before you know it," Brian said gently.


"I guess I could do that."


"I know you can."


Justin listened to Brian's suggestion and marveled at this man who thought he was a bad father. That was excellent advice and done in such a way that Gus' fears were addressed, but Gus was given a way to deal with them. Justin shook his head, not so much in amazement, but rather at the fact that he had forgotten how great a person Brian could be.


"Gus," Justin said gently, "I'm glad we got to spend some time together. I wish I could stay with you till the MRI was over, but I have to get back to Pittsburgh."


"That's okay, Justin. Thanks for coming, and please come visit me after I get home."


Justin glanced at Brian. He didn't know whether that would be such a good idea.


"You're welcome anytime," Brian said.


"Okay, Gus, I'll be in touch, and Mrs. Hadley has my number if you need it." Justin smiled over at Mrs. Hadley who blushed. "I guess I'll take off. Let me know about the results of the MRI."


"Bye, Justin," they all said as Justin left the room.


While Gus was in the MRI, Brian sat in the waiting room until the procedure was completed. He hoped Gus would be all right. Mrs. Hadley had gone home to lie down for a bit and make them both some supper. She didn't trust the hospital food.


As a result, Brian had plenty of time to think about Justin and what had transpired between them today. It had been so easy to talk to him, and be around him. Brian had expected it to be awkward, but there had been none of that.


And then there was the whole Greg Fernley fiasco. At least the man was gone from his life once and for all. Brian didn't know how he could have been so stupid. Gus had tried to talk to him about Greg, but Brian had been so intent on having a relationship with the man that he had been blind to Greg's faults. It was only in comparison to Justin that's Greg's true nature shone through. Justin was kind and compassionate and willing to go out of his way to help Gus. It hadn't mattered to Justin that he had to come to a hospital or that it might have been awkward to be around Brian. Gus had needed him and so he came. That was the way Justin was.


Greg, on the other hand, showed his true selfishness. He didn't seem to care that Gus was hurt. He was only interested in himself. He refused to come to the hospital for whatever flimsy reason. His fear of hospitals couldn't have been half as bad as Justin's, and yet Justin had come. Greg had lain in bed all day without so much as a phone call to see how Gus was doing or if Brian needed anything. Brian hated having to throw Greg out, but there had been no other way. He couldn't stand the sight of the man for another minute.


When Brian had walked out of the house with Justin, he had half expected to see Greg waiting outside. The man was tenacious. But so was Justin, only in a very different way. Brian smiled. It had been strange spending time with Justin. In some ways it was just like it had always been, and in other ways, it was so different.


Brian jumped when the technician brought Gus out from the MRI. He had been totally lost in his thoughts.


"How did it go?" Brian asked.


"He was a trooper," the technician said.


"I enjoyed swimming in the pool," Gus grinned. "I just kept my eyes closed and stayed in the pool."


"Good boy!"


"The orderly will be right along to take Gus back to his room," the technician said before he took the next patient inside for their MRI.


"Guess you get to ride the old bucking wheelchair once again," Brian joked as Gus sat down to wait for the orderly.


"You make it sound like a horse," Gus chuckled.


"When you were really out of it after the accident, you called me Cowboy Chicken," Brian said thoughtfully.


"I did?"


"You remember when we used to play that?" Brian asked.


"I remember," Gus smiled. "You used to let me ride on your back and we'd go chasing Indians and bad guys."


"Yeah," Brian smiled at the memory.


"And then I'd get off and we'd have a quick draw contest with our fingers. You always let me win."


"You must have shot me a hundred times," Brian chuckled.


"Except for all the other times when you'd dive behind the couch and I'd call you Cowboy Chicken."


"Yeah."


"Dad, do you think it would have been different if I could have stayed with you instead of going to Canada with the Moms?"


"I'm sure it would have been," Brian admitted. "But who's to say it would have been better? I wasn't ready to be a full time father back then."


"Are you now?" Gus asked waiting to hear how Brian would answer that.


"Based on yesterday and today, I don't think so." Brian watched Gus' face fall. "But up until yesterday, I thought we were doing pretty well."


"So did I," Gus said softly.


"Then why did you try to get to Justin?"


"I … I needed you to see what HE was really like."


"He, meaning Greg," Brian said knowing that was exactly what Gus meant.


"Yeah."


"He's gone."


"Gone? What do you mean?"


"I kicked him out this morning."


"You did?" Gus tried to keep the smile from being too blatant.


"I did," Brian replied as the orderly started pushing Gus towards the elevator.


"Thank you, Dad," Gus said softly.


"Gus, I'm sorry I didn't realize how much Greg troubled you. Next time, if you need to, write me a letter telling me what is bothering you, and I promise I will pay more attention … even if I don't like it."


"You mean that?"


"I do."


"Um … Dad, how did you and Justin get along?"


"What are you getting at?"


"I really like Justin," Gus said trying to keep his voice innocent.


"I like Justin too," Brian admitted.


"Will you see him again?"


"Me? No, he came here to see you, not me."


"I know but I hoped…" Gus did not finish that statement.


"Let's get you well and home and we'll worry about all that other stuff later," Brian said hoping Gus would drop the topic and ultimately forget all about it.


"Okay," Gus said deciding he shouldn't press the issue any farther. "Do you think they'll let me go home tomorrow?"


"It will depend on what the MRI shows."


"Then it better show the right thing," Gus declared.

 

Brian smiled. His son liked hospitals almost as much as he did. That was another thing they had in common. Brian placed his hand on Gus' shoulder as the orderly wheeled his son into his room.

Chapter 20 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 20


Brian opened the car door. "Be careful," he said. "Take it easy."


"The doctor said I could come home, Dad. You don't have to hover," Gus admonished his father.


"The doctor also said you were to take it easy and rest a lot."


"I'm just walking from the car to the house. I can handle that."


"Sure, Sonny Boy, I know you can." Brian watched Gus determinedly walk up to the front door.


Mrs. Hadley was standing there with the door open waiting for Gus to come home. She embraced the boy in a gentle hug. Brian smiled and followed Gus into the house. Brian had stayed at the hospital the night before, not wanting to leave his son all alone there. It had been a long night where Gus slept seemingly very well and Brian had fitful spurts of sleep and long periods of wakefulness when he had nothing to do but think. He thought the night would never end.


Gus was ushered into the kitchen where Mrs. Hadley had made him his favorite sandwich and a big glass of chocolate milk to go along with it.


"This is much better than that hospital food," she told him.


Gus nodded as he began to eat the sandwich.


Brian watched for a minute and then excused himself to make some phone calls. He went into the library and called Lindsay first. He informed her that Gus was home and the MRI had shown less bruising of the brain than they had first thought. Gus was to rest for a week, but should be able to start school on schedule. Lindsay still wanted to come see her son. Brian told her it wasn't necessary, but if she wanted to, he would pay for an airline ticket. They agreed she would make arrangements and arrive in a couple of days. Brian hung up the phone knowing that he would have to do something about furniture if Lindsay was going to stay with them. He could give her his room and move into the master suite, or he could furnish another room, or he could simply sleep on the couch in the library. That was where he spent a lot of nights anyway.


The next call went to his Corvette mechanic. The news was good on that front. Steve assured Brian that the 'Vette could be fixed if he wanted to do that. Brian told him to go ahead. He would miss the old car if he didn't have it around.


Brian sucked in a breath wondering about the next call he was going to make. It would be to Justin and he wasn't sure what he felt about talking to his former lover again. Part of him couldn't wait to hear Justin's voice. Another part dreaded the idea that Justin would receive the information about Gus and that would be the end of their contact with each other.


Holding his breath he dialed the number that he had saved in his cell phone the night Mrs. Hadley had given it to him.


"Hello?" Justin's familiar voice replied.


"It's Brian. I have some news about Gus."


"Good news, I hope?"


"Yeah, he's home. We brought him home a little while ago. The concussion doesn't seem to be as bad as they first thought."


"That is good news."


"I think so too. Um … Gus would like you to come visit him this week before he goes back to school."


"They're going to let him start school right away?" Justin asked.


"He has to rest this week and then take it easy for the next few weeks, but the doctor thinks he should be fine."


"That's good. I'm glad he's all right."


"So, do you think you can squeeze in a visit?"


"Let me check my schedule and I'll get back to you."


"Okay. Do you have my number?"


"I have it."


Brian smiled. "Later," he whispered.


The line went dead.


Brian looked at the phone. He had been hoping to hear a "later" to match his own. It appeared that the rapport between them that they had experienced the previous day had somehow evaporated. Brian set down the phone and went to make sure Gus was settling in all right.


"Did you call Justin?" Gus asked when Brian appeared in the kitchen.


"Yes, and your mother."


Gus looked at his father questioningly. "What did she say?"


"She wants to come here and make sure you're all right."


"She does?"


"Of course! She's you're mother. She loves you."


"Even after…" Gus couldn't bring himself to mention some of the things he had done in Toronto.


"Even after, Gus. We're all trying to help you. We want to do what's best for you."


"I … I'm sorry about the car," Gus choked out.


"I know," Brian replied placing his hand comfortingly on Gus' shoulder.


"Would you like a sandwich, Mr. Kinney?" Mrs. Hadley asked.


"That would be nice," Brian said sitting down beside Gus at the table.


"Is Justin coming to visit me?" Gus asked hopefully as he nibbled on his sandwich.


"He's going to try to find time," Brian said although Justin's hesitance probably meant that he wouldn't come.


"Oh," Gus said obviously drawing the same conclusion. "I think I should go lie down for a little while."


"You're not feeling sick, are you?" Brian asked.


"No, just tired."


'And disappointed,' Brian thought. He knew how much Gus wanted Justin to be there for him. He also suspected that Gus was hoping that Brian and Justin might get back together. Based on the recent phone call to Justin, that seemed less and less likely.


"Mr. Kinney," Mrs. Hadley said after Gus had left the room, "may I ask you something? Is it a good idea for Gus' mother to be coming here?"


"Why do you ask?" Brian said surprised that Mrs. Hadley would think that.


"Gus and I have talked quite a bit since he came here. And I'm sure you saw the reaction he had when you told him she was coming."


Brian nodded. "I can't believe things had got so bad between Gus and his mother. I think it's time they started to mend that."


"But when he's still kind of fragile from the concussion it might be too much for him."


"That's true," Brian agreed. The doctor had told them to keep things as calm as possible for Gus. "But I don't think I can stop Lindsay from coming. She is his mother and in spite of everything, she loves him. She was very worried."


Mrs. Hadley sighed. "Then maybe you should warn her that she should tread carefully around her son. He shouldn't be upset."


"I'll talk to her. Oh, and I'm going to invite her to stay here. I'm going to call the store where … Mr. Fernley and I picked out some furniture and have them throw in a bedroom suite that I saw. Could you make sure the room next to mine will be ready to accommodate the furniture? Hopefully they can deliver it with the dining room furniture tomorrow."


"Certainly, and I'll stock the bathroom."


"Thank you … and thanks for caring so much about Gus. You were great with him in the hospital, and the night of the accident…" Brian's voice trailed away.


"No problem at all. I want Gus to be well and happy."


"That makes two of us," Brian said softly. "I better go call the furniture store right now."


+++++


Gus spent that day and the next resting, sitting beside the pool and just vegging out. He was so fucking bored, doing nothing other than floating in the pool. And somebody was always watching him like he would pass out and drown if they weren't there to rescue him.


By the time Lindsay was supposed to arrive, he was almost glad that she was coming. He knew he needed to apologize and he really wanted to. But what he didn't want was to see the hurt in her eyes when she looked at him, and along with the hurt, the fear. Gus shivered in spite of the humid August heat.


He had been praying that Justin would call but they hadn't heard from him since Brian had called to tell him about Gus getting home from the hospital. Gus was beginning to think that Justin was finished with his father, and therefore with him. He had hoped that when the two men saw each other again, that they would decide that they couldn't live without the other. But that hadn't happened. At least Justin's visit had somehow led to Greg Fernley leaving. Gus was never so happy about anything as he was when Brian told him that.


Lindsay was to arrive in Pittsburgh late in the afternoon. Brian was going to the airport to pick her up and bring her back to Britin. Gus sort of wanted to go, but Brian felt it would be too stressful for Gus, and that it would be better for him to wait at Britin until he brought Lindsay there. That would also give Brian a chance to talk to Lindsay on the drive to the house.


When Lindsay walked out of the security area of the airport Brian smiled at her and she rushed towards him. He hugged her tight and then took her bag as they headed for the car.


"How's Gus?" she asked.


"He's doing good."


"I thought he might be here," she said slightly disappointed.


"We thought it might be better if he waited for you at home," Brian said in a level voice.


"Home? It seems funny to think of his home as someplace other than with me."


Brian could hear the sadness in her voice. "Lindsay, he has to take things easy for the next few weeks. I didn't want him at the airport with all these people and not knowing what your reaction might be."


"My reaction?"


"He … he's afraid you don't love him anymore. He thinks you're afraid of him," Brian admitted slowly.


"How can he think that?" Lindsay asked in horror.


"Be honest," Brian said gently. "You were afraid of him when I took him from you in Toronto."


"What have you been telling him, Brian?"


"I haven't told him anything," Brian stated as he hoisted Lindsay's suitcase into the trunk of the Mercedes. "But I see how he reacts to your phone calls and inquiries."


"And just how does he react?" Lindsay asked as she buckled her seatbelt.


"I think he feels guilty for what he did, but he was living in some kind of nightmare situation. Now that he's out of that dark place, he's not sure where he stands with you."


"Where he stands? He's my son."


"He was surprised that you wanted to come here to make sure he was all right."


"Shit!" Lindsay said letting out a long breath. "I've missed him so much."


"That's exactly what he needs to hear."


"You think so?"


Brian nodded. "He needs all the reassurance and love we can give him. He's just starting to find his way."


"When you called about the car accident, I thought he had reverted to his old ways. What the hell happened?"


"I made a big mistake."


"You did? What kind of mistake?"


Brian let out a long breath. It was all going to come out eventually so he might as well tackle it head on. "I met this guy and I thought we might have something together. He moved in with us."


"You brought a trick into your home … with our son."


"It wasn't like that, and he wasn't just a trick."


"Oh?"


"I made a mistake though. He turned out to be … not a very nice person."


"Fuck!"


"Gus realized that a long time before I did."


"So what does that have to do with the car accident?"


"Gus was … um … trying to get away from the situation," Brian replied not wanting to get into the whole Justin part of the saga.


"It was that bad?" Lindsay asked staring at Brian.


"Apparently."


"And what's it like now?"


"He's gone?"


"Who? The trick?"


"He wasn't a fucking trick! I thought I cared for him."


Lindsay stared at Brian for a minute before looking away. She stared at the street ahead as her mind went back to Justin and how he had left Brian to go to New York. She and Melanie and Gus had been in Toronto when she had heard about that. She had wondered how Brian would ever recover from Justin leaving him again, but he seemed to have done fine. His business flourished and grew. He returned to the backrooms and reestablished his reputation as the stud of Liberty Avenue. At least that was according to Michael's version of events when he came to visit his daughter.


She glanced over at Brian who seemed absorbed in maneuvering his way through traffic. She wondered what had happened between Justin and Brian. One minute they were getting married and the next it was all called off and Justin was headed to New York. And who was this mystery man that Gus had not liked. Brian refused to let her call him a trick. Had he been trying to have a relationship with the man? Had there been other men that Brian had tried to establish some kind of life with? Lindsay eyed Brian seriously wondering where his life was now. She hadn't even thought about that when she had asked him to take Gus.


Lindsay found herself staring out the window of the car lost in thought. There were so many things she no longer knew about Brian and his life. She shook her head wondering how she had been so cut off from him. He had always been an important part of her life, but since she and Melanie had moved to Toronto, that had all changed. Their lives had become so different, and in the process, Gus had pretty much been lost to her.


She blinked back some tears and realized that they were out in the country, no longer on the streets of Pittsburgh. She glanced around. "Where the fuck are we, Brian?"


"We're almost there," Brian replied.


"But aren't we going to the loft?"


"No, not today."


"I don't understand."


"You will in a minute," Brian said as he turned into the driveway of Britin.


"What is this place?" Lindsay asked as they drove up the lane.


"My home."


"Your home?"


Brian stopped the car and they both got out. The front door opened and Gus stepped out.


"Mom!" he called.


Lindsay turned and smiled at her son. He ran down the steps and she caught him in a warm hug as he landed against her.


"Take it easy, Gus," Brian warned. "Don't overdo it." He pulled Lindsay's bag from the trunk of the car.


"Hey, Lindz," a voice said from the steps.


"Justin! Oh my God, what are you doing here?" Lindsay asked as she rushed up the steps to hug her old friend.


"I came to visit Gus," Justin said returning her hug.


Brian looked at Gus and raised an eyebrow.


"I called Justin," Gus said. "He could come this afternoon so I thought he could keep me company while you were gone to the airport."


"You did, huh?" Brian smirked.


"When I told Justin that Mom was coming, he really wanted to see her. Mrs. Hadley made her special cookies," Gus said with a smile. "Want some?"


"When have I ever been known to pass up cookies?" Brian asked in his best snarky voice. He carried Lindsay's suitcase into the house and set it down in the hall. "So, Mr. Taylor, you decided to return," Brian said.


"Yes, Mr. Kinney, I wanted to make sure Gus was okay," Justin retorted.


Lindsay watched them wondering what the hell was going on. As far as they all knew, Brian and Justin had been apart since Justin had left all those years ago to pursue his career in New York. Each man stood defiantly looking at the other. She held her breath wondering what was about to happen.


Brian glanced away finally and bent to pick up Lindsay's suitcase. "I'll show you to your room," Brian said to Lindsay. She nodded and followed him up the stairs.


"I think I better leave," Justin said softly to Gus.


"No, I want you to stay," Gus replied.


"I don't think that's such a good idea."


"But you wanted to see Mom and she's here now. She'll be down in a minute."


"Gus…"


"Please, Justin, stay a little longer."


Justin shook his head. He knew he should get out of there while the going was good. Part of the reason he had come to Britin was because Gus had told him that Brian wouldn't be there.


"Please, Justin," Gus wheedled.


"All right," Justin said with a sigh. "I'd like to talk to Lindsay, but then I'm leaving. Okay?"

 

Gus nodded. He had bought a little more time. Maybe something would happen to get his father and Justin to really talk. "Let's go get those cookies," he grinned, and Justin followed him to the kitchen.

Chapter 21 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 21


Brian got Lindsay situated in the bedroom adjacent to his. The new furniture had been delivered and was all set up. Lindsay assessed the look of the room.


"The furniture's lovely, but you need some artwork in here," Lindsay said to Brian as she stowed her clothes in the closet and the dresser.


"Some of yours?" Brian asked, not wanting to admit that until the day before the room had been totally empty.


"Some of Justin's," Lindsay said pointedly. "What's he doing here? I thought you two were over a long time ago."


"We were."


"Then why…?"


"He came because Gus wanted to see him. I think Gus wants us back together."


"And?"


"We've both moved on. It's too late for anything like that."


"Are you sure? Have you really moved on, Brian?"


"I … was trying to, but I … don't seem to make very good choices these days."


Lindsay heard the sadness in Brian's voice. "Maybe you two should try again."


"I fucking said that it's too late for that," Brian reacted. He stood up from where he had sat on the edge of her bed while she unpacked. "Do you want some of those fucking cookies or not?"


"I can hardly wait for a cookie," Lindsay said sarcastically wondering what had crawled up Brian's ass. She followed him downstairs and into the kitchen.


"Mrs. Hadley," Brian said, "this is Lindsay Peterson, Gus' mother."


"Nice to meet you," Mrs. Hadley said placing mugs of coffee in front of the two empty chairs at the kitchen table.


"Join us, please," Brian said to Mrs. Hadley and he went to get an extra chair that was sitting next to the door to her quarters.


"Thank you," Mrs. Hadley said sitting down after getting herself a cup of coffee.


"Mrs. Hadley was great with Gus while he was in the hospital," Brian said.


"And she makes the best cookies," Gus added as he munched happily on one. All of his favorite people were sitting around the table. It was almost the way he wanted it, almost the way it should be. "How's Momma?" Gus asked after a minute.


"Yeah, how is Melanie?" Justin added.


"She's doing okay," Lindsay said noncommittally.


"That doesn't sound too great," Justin replied.


"She's had a hard time since we went to Canada."


"How come?"


"She's not licensed to practise law in Canada so she has been working as a paralegal. Things have been tough for all of us."


"I'm sorry to hear that," Justin said.


"What about you? I hear you've been traveling the world," Lindsay said hoping to change the subject. She really didn't want to discuss family problems in front of Gus and Mrs. Hadley.


"Yeah, kind of. I went to Europe a few years ago. I studied some over there. It was a really great experience."


"And now you're back to conquer the States."


"Something like that," Justin said slowly.


"Are you going back to Europe after your show is over, Justin?" Gus asked.


"That decision has yet to be made," Justin replied. He kept his eyes glued on the cookie he was holding in his hand.


Brian glanced at Justin wondering what that statement might mean. Justin refused to meet his gaze.


"That sounds like you might stay in the States," Lindsay said voicing Brian's thought. "In Pittsburgh?" she asked.


"I really don't know yet," Justin sighed. "It's hard being so far away from everyone, from Mom and Molly. I missed … everybody."


"But it must have been exciting?" Lindsay persisted.


"It was … at first. And I met some great people over there, but…"


"But it's not home," Brian whispered.


Justin looked at him then. Something unspoken passed between them.


"Mom, want to see me swim?" Gus asked.


"Sure, sweetie," Lindsay said standing up. "Thanks for the cookies, Mrs. Hadley."


"No problem," Mrs. Hadley replied. Lindsay went out the patio door to the pool while Gus went upstairs to change into his swimsuit.


"We need to talk," Brian said not taking his eyes off Justin.


Justin nodded. He wasn't sure that he was ready for this, but he knew it was inevitable. They made their way into the library. It seemed like the logical place for them to talk. Brian stood at the window staring out at the lawn and the tree that no longer had his Corvette wrapped around it. Justin stood just inside the door and waited.


"Why did you come here, Justin?" Brian asked almost in a whisper.


"Gus wanted to see me," Justin replied without even thinking about it.


"At first you weren't going to come."


"No, I wasn't."


"Why?"


"I thought it would be too uncomfortable, and…"


"And what?" Brian asked still staring out the window so he didn't have to look at Justin.


Justin sighed. "I don't think this is such a good idea." He reached for the door handle ready to leave. "I think I better head back to Pittsburgh."


"Sure," Brian said wheeling around and letting Justin see the fire in his eyes. "Run away like you have so many times in the past!"


Justin felt like he had been struck. But he wasn't going to let Brian get away with that one, not now, not this time. "I'm not running anywhere," he stated. "I'm the one who came here … to you. You didn't have the balls to seek me out."


"Don't you mean ball?" Brian asked sarcastically.


"Are you still using that tired old cliché? I thought that was history."


"Like you and me … history." The hurt in Brian's tone and demeanor was palpable.


Justin refused to acknowledge it and plowed ahead. "Well, we are, aren't we?" he challenged.


"That's what we need to talk about, Justin," Brian said his voice getting very soft. "Are we history? I still feel … things, when we're together."


"I do too, but that doesn't mean that we have to act on them," Justin said reasonably.


"No, we don't have to, but sometimes I … want to."


"You do?" Justin asked staring into Brian's eyes. He couldn't believe that Brian was saying this, taking a chance that Justin might not reciprocate those feelings, and yet still saying them.


"I do," Brian said with that little smirk that Justin used to love.


"What happened to us?" Justin asked with a certain haunted quality to his voice. "We made it work for a while."


"Yeah, we did. All those trips to New York," Brian said looking over Justin's head and remembering.


"All the long weekends spent in bed."


"All the fucking."


"All the lovemaking."


"All the separation."


"All the pain."


"Yeah," Brian said letting out a long breath.


"It was hard."


"But it was good too."


It was Justin's turn to say, "Yeah."


"So what happened?"


"You know," Justin declared looking into Brian's eyes. "You were a big part of what happened."


"Yeah, I suppose I was."


"Why did you stop coming to New York?"


"I thought it would be easier … on both of us."


"Why would you think that?" Justin asked pain evident in his voice. "I loved you. I … thought you loved me too."


"I did."


"Then why?"


"Your agent told me about some of the shows she was trying to get you into, and…"


"My agent? When did you talk to her?"


"That last show of yours that I attended."


"Fuck!"


"She told me all the great things she had planned for you, and how you'd get to travel and maybe be mentored in Europe."


Justin shook his head. "So you decided once again what would be best for me?"


"In a way. I knew you needed to have those experiences. You deserved it all. Look how well it turned out for you."


"Yeah, real well."


"What does that mean, Justin?"


"None of your fucking business!"


"Justin?"


"Look, it's over and done with. I don't see any point in rehashing all this."


"It doesn't feel like it's done to me. I don't think you believe it's done either."


"Yeah, go right ahead. Tell me what to think, what to do, how to fucking breathe!"


"Where is this shit coming from? I just wanted to clear the air," Brian said with a deep frown furrowing his brow. He couldn't understand Justin's sudden hostility.


"Why couldn't you fucking clear the air all those years ago, before you decided that we would be better off not seeing each other?"


"Because you would have said everything was fine, and we should go on the way we were."


"Maybe that was exactly the way I felt," Justin challenged him. "But that wouldn't occur to you, would it? The mighty Kinney has to make all the decisions. Only he knows what's best for everyone."


"Jesus, Justin, that's not what I was thinking."


"You could have fooled me, especially since I thought I wasn't enough for you anymore. I thought you'd lost interest, that I wasn't worth all the long distance travel and the time away from Kinnetik. I thought I was second best once again … like I've always been to you."


"You've never been second best, Justin." Brian took a step towards Justin who looked shell shocked at what he had just said. Justin must have kept those feelings bottled up for so long. "I did it for you. I wanted you to have every opportunity in life. I didn't want to hold you back."


"But that's exactly what I mean. What you want, or what you think is best, comes first. Couldn't you just fucking ask me what I wanted?"


"I thought you would say you wanted us to stay together, that you didn't want to go to Europe or pursue all the avenues of your career." Brian took another step.


"That's exactly what I would have said, because it was the fucking truth. But you never bothered to ask." Justin felt his heart pounding in his chest. He felt like he was going to black out.


"Justin," Brian said his voice coming from far away. "Justin!"


Justin felt himself start to slump and then arms grabbed him and he felt himself lifted up and carried to the sofa. Brian laid him down gently and then left. He returned momentarily with a snifter of brandy.


"Take a little sip," Brian told him. "It'll help."


Justin managed a small slurp without it choking him. He could feel the warmth spread through his numb body. "I need to go home," Justin said as soon as he could get his voice to work. He tried to get up.


Brian gently shoved him back down. "You're not going anywhere. Rest for a few minutes."


Justin shut his eyes wishing he was anywhere else but at Britin with Brian. He thought he had sublimated all this shit, way down where he would never have to deal with it again.


"Justin, I'm sorry if you think I made the wrong decision back then," Brian said his voice almost a whisper as he knelt beside the sofa looking with worry at his blond ex-lover.


"I don't think you made the wrong decision. I know you did," Justin declared keeping his eyes firmly shut so that the tears would hopefully not escape. He refused to cry after all this time.


"But…"


"Shut up, Brian! Just shut the fuck up!"


Brian opened his mouth, but he couldn't think of anything worthwhile to say. After a couple of minutes he repeated, "I'm sorry."


"Sorry's bullshit, as you were so fond of saying. And it is. It won't bring back all the wasted years or the time I spent thinking I could never be enough for anyone, not you or … Ethan, or anyone."


"You were always enough for me, always." Brian's voice was barely audible.


"You had one helluva way of showing me that."


"I thought you knew."


"And how would I know when you stop calling, stop talking to me, stop coming to see me?" Justin choked out the words. He had convinced himself that Brian didn't want him anymore, and he had gone on. Now, he was hearing that Brian had left him alone for his own good. They could have been together all along. They had wasted so many fucking years. He felt like his heart was being split in two.


"You stopped too," Brian accused.


"Yeah, after you not returning my calls and never being available when I called your office. What was I supposed to do? There's a limit to how much any person can take."


"But it was for the best," Brian said wanting to take Justin into his arms. He had obviously made a big mistake, much bigger than he had ever realized. "You have a great career. It all worked out."


"Fucking shit! I've been lonely for all this fucking time. There's more to life than a fucking career, but of course, you wouldn't know that."


"You were lonely?"


"I was lonely."


"So was I," Brian breathed.


"Fuck it! I'm going home," Justin said sitting up. He couldn't stand a minute more of this.


"Don't go," Brian practically whimpered.


"If you had said that to me years ago, it might have meant something," Justin said, his voice like ice. "It's too fucking late now."


"Does it have to be too late?" Brian was almost begging.


"What?" Justin asked halfway up from the sofa.


"You heard me," Brian breathed.


"I can't believe my ears. You have a fucking nerve."


"I'm begging, Justin. I'm fucking begging."


"Begging doesn't become you," Justin said coldly.


Brian slumped against the side of the couch. He rested his forehead on his arms and felt the tears roll down his cheeks. He had ripped that plea from the depths of his soul and Justin hadn't been affected. Brian knew he deserved what he was getting. He had thought he had all the answers back then, but he had been a fucking idiot. Now he was paying for that arrogance and so was Justin. He had ruined both their lives.


Justin reached the door of the library. His hand reached for the knob but he couldn't bring himself to turn it. He hesitated and then turned around for one last look at Brian. He needed that closure. What he saw made his breath halt in his chest.


Brian was on the floor leaning against the sofa, his head buried in his arms, but Justin could see his shoulders heaving convulsively. He was sobbing silently.


"Brian," Justin said softly. He didn't know what to do. He had rarely seen Brian like this. In fact, he had never seen Brian like this, so raw and open and hurt.


"Go, Justin. It's what you want. I really am sorry."


"You really are a fucking asshole, Brian Kinney," Justin retorted. He walked purposefully towards the sofa. "Look at me, you son of a bitch!"


Brian looked up, eyes full of tears, misery written all over his face. "Call me anything you want. I deserve it," Brian whispered.


"Oh, I'm going to call you every name you can possibly imagine, right after I kiss you silly."


"Huh?"


"Why couldn't you…? Oh, fuck it! We've wasted enough time." Justin fell to his knees wrapping his arms around Brian and holding him in a hug that threatened to crack every rib that the man possessed.


"What's going on?" Brian asked, bewildered at the change of events, but happy to be in Justin's arms once more.


"I'm contemplating forgiving you," Justin smiled as Brian looked into his eyes.


"You are?"


"I don't know how anyone could have been as stupid as you, but I always forget that I was your first relationship, your first … love. I expected you to understand things that you had no experience with. Your poor little heart just wasn't ready for the "R" word. I guess I was as stupid as you were. I should have called you on your shit."


"Yeah, you should have," Brian said with a crooked little smile.


"Asshole," Justin grinned at him. "Will you fucking kiss me? I've waited too many years."

 

Brian pulled Justin in tight against him and laid his lips gently on top of Justin's. They each emitted a little moan at the initial contact. All the years of being alone flooded through them. All the memories of their torrid past came rushing into their heads. Their breath caught in their throat and then they were ravishing each other's mouth, unable to control the passion that hit them like a thunderbolt.

Chapter 22 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 22


"Brian … um, Brian, stop. Please, Brian … stop!"


"Why? We both want this," Brian gasped burying his face in Justin's neck and starting to pull at his clothes.


"No, wait. This isn't going to happen." Justin shoved at Brian forcing some distance between them.


They sat on the floor next to the sofa, chests heaving and cocks erect. Justin knew that things had suddenly swung out of control and he wasn't prepared for it.


"You asked me to kiss you," Brian said rather indignantly. He wasn't used to being turned down by anyone, including Justin.


"I know," Justin admitted sliding on his butt and putting a little more space between them. "I wanted you to."


"Didn't you realize where that would lead?"


"No, no, I just thought I would like to remember... And … you seemed so upset. I wanted to comfort you."


"Comfort?" Brian snorted.


"Yeah, you know, when you put your arms around someone and hold them till they feel better."


"No shit! What the fuck would an asshole like me know about comfort?" Brian spit out bitterly.


"Briiaan."


"Okay, okay, just don't leave. We're not done yet."


"What makes you so sure of that?"


Brian narrowed his eyes and looked critically at Justin. It wasn't like Justin to play him, but this definitely wasn't the Justin he was used to. "I'm not sure of anything at the moment, but I feel like this is unfinished business that needs to … be finished," Brian said rather lamely.


"How eloquent of you," Justin said eyeing Brian warily.


Brian snorted again. He felt like he was the gangly teenager that he had been in the pictures in Michael's old bedroom. He wasn't sure why he felt so vulnerable and insecure, but he did. "Maybe the kiss wasn't such a good idea, but it sure felt good." Justin gave him a withering look. "Well, it did," Brian stated.


"I know. It felt just a little too good."


"How is that possible?" Brian asked bewildered.


"Just because something feels good doesn't necessarily mean it's good for you."


"So I'm not good for you?"


"Probably not."


Brian raised an eyebrow. He had never heard Justin talk like this before, but then he hadn't seen him for five years, one month and fourteen days. "Could we talk some more then?"


"You actually want to talk?"


"Will you stop fucking saying that!" Brian reacted. He had said they needed to talk, so why couldn't they just talk?


"So talk," Justin said with a little edge to his voice.


"I don't know where to begin," Brian admitted.


"You open your mouth and use your diaphragm and lungs to propel air across your vocal cords which makes words come out of said mouth."


"When did you start being such a smartass?"


"Some time after I realized that I needed to be sarcastic to … protect myself," Justin said looking meaningfully at Brian.


"You mean after I quit coming to New York?"


"Yeah, how many times can I be told I'm not enough before I begin to believe it?"


"You were always enough."


"You had a very strange way of showing that. It might have been nice to hear it from you once or twice."


"You know how much trouble I had admitting that … back then," Brian said slowly.


"And it doesn't seem to be much different now," Justin replied.


"You don't know that," Brian defended himself. He had admitted more to Justin in the last half hour than he cared to think about.


"So, what do you think you want to talk about?"


"About why things came down the way they did."


"You already said you did it for my own good," Justin repeated. He knew that was what Brian had thought at the time, but that didn't make him any more appreciative of the outcome.


"I did."


"If that's it, then I better be going," Justin said making as if to stand up.


"We needed time," Brian whispered.


"Time? We had all the time in the world ahead of us, if only you could have fucking believed that I loved you, and that you loved me right back."


"I knew that I loved you and I also knew that you loved me."


"Then what the fuck was the problem?" Justin demanded.


"You needed time to grow up," Brian said and received a death glare from Justin. "And so did I," Brian added in a barely audible voice.


"What?"


"I said that so did I."


"What the fuck are you talking about?"


"Remember when Drew Boyd came out and he and Emmett got together as a couple."


"Yeah, but what does that have to do with anything?"


"He told Drew that he needed to go out and experience life as a gay man, that he was just a baby as far as gay relationships were compared."


"You're not fucking comparing yourself to Drew, are you? You've been with millions of men."


"Maybe thousands," Brian smirked. Justin glared at him again. "But as far as the relationship thing went, I was more of a baby than Drew. And you weren't much better."


"There was Ethan," Justin said defiantly. He knew Brian would hate him bringing up that sore subject. "After that, I knew what I didn't want … and what I did want."


"Ian was a pain in both our asses but that doesn't really constitute knowing what a good relationship is all about. You came back to me, didn't you?" Brian asked trying to be funny but not quite cutting it.


"You were what I wanted. I knew it as surely as the sun rises in the … west," Justin grinned.


Brian snorted. "See."


"I was kidding. We were going to get married, Brian. We both knew that we were right for each other."


"And then I fucked it up."


"Yeah, you did."


"I really thought you needed to experience more of life before you settled down. I wanted you to have a chance to start your career, and New York and then Europe seemed to be the way to do it."


"I understand that," Justin said patiently. There was no point in getting angry about this anymore. That time was long past. "But I knew what I wanted. I truly did. If only you could have believed that…"


Brian grimaced. "What if I told you that I do believe that now?"


Justin stared at Brian. "I…" he started but he didn't know how to complete the sentence. Some part of him still wanted Brian. It always would. But he had spent all these years convincing himself that it would never be. He had made a life for himself, such as it was, without Brian and he didn't think he could go back to being the needy teenager enthralled with the big, bad ad exec come stud of Liberty Avenue. That wasn't him any longer, and that seemed to be what Brian wanted. "I can't go back," Justin said simply.


That hurt. Brian winced inwardly but he tried not to show it. He had half expected something like this. "But what if we go forward instead?" Brian asked softly.


"What? What do you mean … forward?"


"What if we start over? What if we put aside what we were before and start fresh?"


"Is that possible?" Justin asked, taken aback by Brian suggesting such a thing.


"I don't know about you, Justin, but I'm not the same person I was back then. I've changed in some fundamental ways."


"Like what?" Justin wanted to know, now truly intrigued by this turn of events.


"I've tried one or two relationships," Brian said with a sigh. "I still suck at it, as you witnessed with Greg." Brian gave that funny little smile of his.


"Maybe you haven't picked the right partner," Justin observed, remembering how distasteful Greg had been in the few minutes that he had seen him.


"That's the problem exactly," Brian agreed. He stared right at Justin like he was telling him that he had had the right partner before but had been too stupid to hold onto him with all he was worth. "I never appreciated what we had, because I had nothing to compare it to, except maybe Ben and Mikey."


"Pulleease," Justin reacted and they both laughed. "How are they doing anyway?"


"Living in the frigid wilds of Buffalo and as happy as pigs in shit."


"That's some metaphor," Justin chuckled.


"Actually it's a simile, half of it anyway."


Justin punched Brian in the arm playfully. "Wise ass."


"Yeah, but at least you got it. Some of what I've been dealing with lately wouldn't know their ass from a simile or metaphor."


"So you like me for my brains?" Justin asked with a smile.


Brian nodded. "And I did mention ass."


"Ah yes, my ass."


"Have … have you found anyone?" Brian asked holding his breath.


"Several."


"Several?"


"I tried to have relationships. At first, they would seem to work, but then eventually they would become boring or the spark would die … or they'd reveal some dark, ugly secret that freaked me out."


"I always knew there was value in keeping my secrets to myself," Brian tried to joke.


"You were pretty good at it, for what it's worth."


"And it wasn't worth much as it turns out."


"You admit that?"


Brian nodded. "This seems to be my day for admitting things."


"Yeah," Justin said thoughtfully. "I wish we had talked like this back then."


"Neither of us was ready to talk like this. I was scared that you'd figure out what a huge asshole I really was … and you'd leave."


"And I was scared that I was fooling myself into believing that you really loved me. I thought I'd wake up one day and you'd just be gone … and you were," Justin said, dropping his head in a sign of defeat.


"I didn't mean for you to have regrets," Brian said softly.


"But I do," Justin said, his head coming up and his eyes sparkling with passion. "What happened to 'no apologies, no regrets'?"


"It went the way of the dodo bird. I've been apologizing since we came in here and I most certainly do have regrets."


Justin looked into Brian's eyes and studied what he saw there. He believed that Brian did regret what had happened, but that didn't help the fact that Brian had been the one who caused it. He could see the sincerity in Brian's eyes, but Justin wasn't at all sure that he was prepared to let Brian back into his life. How many times had they driven each other away and then come back together only to hurt each other again … always more than the time before.


"I…" Justin started to say something when there was a knock on the door.


"Brian, Justin?" Lindsay's voice came through the door.


"Yeah?" Brian called out.


"Mrs. Hadley says to tell you that dinner is ready. Would you like it in the dining room?"


Brian looked at Justin. "Do you want to stay here and continue our talk or are you hungry?"


Justin grinned. "I'm always hungry," he said and Brian smiled back at him. "I think we need a break, as long as you will continue this later."


"I think that could be arranged," Brian said standing up and offering Justin his hand.


Justin took the proffered hand and Brian hauled him up. Justin could feel that little tingle that always ran through him whenever Brian touched him. He let his momentum propel him against Brian and they both gasped at the contact.


"Dinner," Justin said deciding they better get out of there immediately before they were physically unable to separate. Their conversation had been interesting but it was far from over.


"Okay," Brian said following Justin to the door.


"Do you want to eat in the dining room?" Lindsay repeated.


"No!"


"Why not, Brian?" Lindsay asked. "Mrs. Hadley said that you just got a new dining room set."


"I did, but I like the kitchen better, and then Mrs. Hadley can join us," Brian said. He didn't want to be sitting miles away from Justin across the huge table that Greg had insisted they have. Besides, there would be more people around the kitchen table if Mrs. Hadley joined them, and he didn't want to have to make conversation. He was pretty well talked out for now.


They all headed for the kitchen and helped Mrs. Hadley set the table. Brian brought up the extra chair and insisted that Mrs. Hadley eat with them. She looked quizzically at him, wondering what was going to happen to the new dining set. Brian winked at her and she relaxed a little. She was still overjoyed that Greg Fernley was out of their lives.


Dinner proved to be a delicious roasted chicken with all the fixings. They ate in comfortable proximity. Brian made sure he sat beside Justin and every once in a while, he let his leg touch Justin's. Justin mostly avoided Brian's line of sight. He answered Lindsay's questions about Europe and his career. He was sorry to hear that things had not gone very well for them in Toronto.


They asked Gus about starting school in a few days. He didn't seem very excited about it, even though Brian finally remembered to tell him that he had had a message from the principal saying that Gus had been admitted to Bramley Hall. Lindsay gushed appropriately and hugged her son.


Brian said very little, but it didn't escape anyone's notice that his eyes kept continually returning to Justin's face at every opportunity. Something was certainly going on in that area. Gus was happy about it. Lindsay and Mrs. Hadley seemed mildly optimistic. Justin seemed uncomfortable and Brian was remote.


When the meal was finally finished, Lindsay went into the library to call Melanie and see how things were going at home. The rest of them helped Mrs. Hadley clean up after dinner and then went to sit by the pool as the sun was heading for the horizon.


"Justin," Gus asked quietly, "how did you get along in school?"


"I'm not sure what you mean, Gus."


"Did you hate school?"


"When I first started, I loved school," Justin explained.


"Like Dad did?"


"I guess. But then when I was older at St. James, I hated it."


"Is St. James a private school?" Gus asked.


"Yeah."


"I'll be going to a private school," Gus said with a frown. "Why did you hate it?"


"I was gay, and when the jocks figured it out, they made my life a misery."


"Oh."


"Are you worried about going to Bramley Hall?" Justin asked him.


"A little."


"You'll do fine, Sonny Boy," Brian said chiming in for the first time. He had been watching Justin's interaction with Gus and marveling at how different it was than what had happened with Greg. He couldn't get over how blind he had been to Greg's faults. Actually, he hadn't really been blind, he had chosen to ignore what he could clearly see was happening. And Gus had been injured as a result. He shook his head sadly.


"I don't know," Gus replied looking worried. He was thinking about the guy who had pushed him into the tree.


"Is there anything specific that you're worried about?" Justin asked.


"Kind of."


"Want to talk about it?"


"No," Gus said slowly. He didn't want to get into all that right now. Maybe the guy would leave him alone once school started.


"If you need to talk, you can always call me," Justin told him. "I do have vast experience with private school," he laughed trying to cheer Gus up.


"Thanks, but you're probably going to be far away in Europe or somewhere," Gus said.


"You could still call me," Justin said.


"I guess."


They sat for a while in companionable silence. Justin could feel Brian's eyes on him from time to time.


"I should head back to Pittsburgh," Justin said as the sun went down.


"Do you have to?" Gus asked echoing Brian's own thoughts.


"It's getting late," Justin said.


"You could stay tonight," Brian suggested. "Sleep in the bed that you selected."


Gus heard that, and suddenly the master bedroom started to make some sense to him.


Justin smiled. "That's very tempting, but I should go."


"Please stay," Gus requested. Brian sighed in relief that he didn't have to say that himself.


"Well, okay," Justin gave in. "But just for tonight."


"I'm going to go see what Mom's doing on the phone. She's been in there forever." Gus headed to the library leaving Brian and Justin alone.


"Thanks for agreeing to stay," Brian said gently. "Maybe we can talk some more tomorrow."


Justin shrugged and the silence fell around them once again.


"Hey, Justin," Gus called from the doorway. "My favorite episode of "The Simpsons" is on. Come watch it with me."


Justin smiled and went inside to watch the show with Gus. Brian stayed on the patio wondering how he would get through the night with Justin down the hall and little hope of keeping him at Britin much longer.


Chapter 23 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 23


Eventually Brian followed Justin into the library where they all were watching some show on television. "The Simpsons" must have been over already. Lindsay was sitting on the sofa watching her son with a faraway look in her eye. She looked tired.


Brian went over to her and told her that she should go to bed and try to get a good night's sleep. She thanked Brian for taking Gus and said she was very pleased with the positive change in Gus' attitude. That meant a lot to Brian especially after the accident. She kissed her son and disappeared into her room for the night.


When the TV show was over, Brian told Gus it was time for bed and his son headed upstairs after thanking Justin for staying a little longer. Justin seemed pleased by how much Gus wanted him there.


Brian offered Justin a drink and they sat side by side on the sofa for a while. Neither seemed inclined to talk and they simply sat. Finally Justin said he wanted to go for a walk so Brian accompanied him outside and they walked through the spacious property, coming eventually back to the pool when they were finished. They sat on the patio furniture watching the moon reflected in the water.


"You wanted me to stay here tonight, didn't you?" Justin said after awhile. It was more a statement than a question.


"Yeah."


"Why?"


"Same reason as before, we have things to discuss."


"But I could have driven back another day."


"Yeah, but would you?"


Justin looked thoughtful for a moment and then shook his head. "Probably not."


"Then you just answered your own question."


"Why now, Brian?"


"Why now?" Brian said like he was pondering the last great question of the universe. "Because the opportunity arose due to Gus' drastic measures. I … I think about you a lot. I wanted to call you but I could never bring myself to do it. You have no idea how hard it was to call you from the hospital."


"Then why did you?"


"Gus really wanted to see you, and a man can only be a coward for so long," Brian said with a smirk.


"When have you ever been a coward?" Justin asked surprised.


"Most of the time … where you were concerned."


Justin's eyebrows went up. That was a revelation, certainly in terms of Brian admitting it. "Why did you want me to stay here tonight? And tell me the truth."


Brian arched an eyebrow. "I have been telling you the truth."


"All of it?"


"Well," Brian began, "maybe not all of it.


Justin chuckled. "It means a lot that you're willing to finally come clean about some of this stuff."


"That's what I was hoping."


"Exactly what are you hoping for?"


Brian thought about how to answer that and then he realized that since the truth had got him this far, he might as well stick with it. "I don't know for sure, but I know I want to see what happens between us when we're together for a while. I've missed you."


Justin's gasp was almost audible, but he managed to stifle it. "What do you think is going to happen?"


"Fuck if I know."


Justin chuckled, a sound that came from deep inside him. He looked over at Brian. "That makes two of us. I never thought I'd be sitting here."


"Hm," Brian said enigmatically.


Justin watched Brian from beneath lowered lids. He felt his dick grow hard as he studied the familiar and still beautiful face. Brian had that disconcerting effect on him all the time. That hadn't changed. Sitting in the dark, all quiet, was strange. Justin wondered if they fucked, if it would be as intense and satisfying as it always had been. But that wasn't going to happen. He wasn't going to let it. They were supposed to be talking and that was why he had stayed. Justin wanted to get to know this different Brian, this Brian who admitted mistakes and actually verbalized feelings. "Have you heard from … Greg, was it?"


Brian glowered at him. "Have you heard from Ian?" he shot back.


"Brian? It was just a question."


"So was mine."


"That still eats at you, doesn't it?"


"I … I don't understand how you could have been taken in by him," Brian finally said.


"Neither do I, when I think back on it, but at the time he told me all the things that…" Justin let his voice trail away.


"All the things that I wouldn't say."


"Yeah."


"So you chose him."


"I … I didn't exactly choose. You refused to tell me what you felt about me and then you made sure I saw you fucking someone else."


"I guess I hoped you'd see the irony of Rage fucking himself."


"I wasn't in the mood to see irony in anything. You hurt me … a lot."


"Fucking fiddler!"


"Can we just forget Ethan?"


"I don't want to forget him."


"What? You don't want to forget? Why?"


"I needed to understand how much you meant to me, and losing you was the only way that I learned that."


"But … but why have we been apart all this time if you knew how much I meant to you? I loved you too."


"I had more than one thing to learn, Justin. I could never admit that back then. I thought I knew so much. I thought I knew what was best, especially for you."


"So you drove me away … time and time again."


Brian nodded slowly. "Except you kept coming back."


"And then you would take me back … only to shove me out again."


"Except for the last time," Brian said sadly.


"That's because you didn't shove me away. You walked away from me."


Brian looked surprised. "Yeah, I guess I did, but…"


"Don't you dare say that it was for my own fucking good!"


Brian kept his mouth shut knowing that he had been about to say that very thing. After a little while Brian said, "Would you like to go for a swim?"


"I don't have a suit," Justin said quickly.


"Why do you need a suit? I've seen it all before."


"Yeah, and sucked it and eaten it and fucked it."


"And enjoyed every minute of it," Brian smirked.


"I'll keep my underwear on, thanks all the same." Justin quickly shucked his clothes except for his jockey shorts. He dove into the pool relishing the cool water as it flowed along his body. He stroked from end to end as Brian sat in his lounge chair watching. "Are you coming in?" Justin asked as he grabbed the side of the pool looking up at Brian.


"Sure," Brian said. He stood and quickly removed all his clothes including his underwear. He dove into the pool coming up behind Justin and splashing him with a riff of water.


"Hey," Justin reacted turning around. He slid his hand through the water, hitting Brian in the face with a large amount of water. He immediately dove under the surface and swam away. As he came to the surface on the other side of the pool, he felt something grab his leg and pull him under. He fought to get loose and managed to regain the surface with a minimum of coughing and sputtering.


"You all right?" Brian asked as he watched Justin regain his breath.


"Just fine," Justin laughed as he hit Brian with another shot of water and dove under once again. He swam quickly to the other side of the pool and had almost heaved himself up onto the deck when he felt someone grab his underwear and yank him back into the water. He hit with a big splash and went under. He felt arms come around him and hoist him towards the surface. His head broke the water and he gasped in much needed air. Brian had his arms firmly around him.


"You want to play with the big boys, you might get hurt," Brian said with a serious look on his face.


"Oh, I don't know," Justin said squirming and almost escaping Brian's grasp.


"Slippery as an eel," Brian smirked as he kept Justin pinned against his body.


"Apparently not slippery enough," Justin said as he struggled to get away.


"If you want me to let you go, just promise not to hit me with any more water."


"Okay."


"Okay?"


"Yeah."


Brian released his hold and Justin stayed where he was, but he didn't shoot any more water at Brian. Justin looked down to see Brian's cock erect and ready. His own was also stretching the wet fabric of his jockeys.


"Seems like we both have the same problem," Brian observed.


Justin felt the color rise in his cheeks. He hoped Brian couldn't see it in the dark. "Time for me to go to bed," Justin said.


"Okay," Brian smirked.


"Alone," Justin stated.


"I'll get some towels," Brian said going to the kitchen door and returning with a couple of beach towels that Mrs. Hadley kept on a shelf just inside the door. "Mrs. Hadley hates us dripping all over her kitchen," Brian said as he toweled off. He watched Justin do the same before wrapping the towel around his hips and then sliding his wet jockeys off. Justin wrung them out and then laid them on the back of a chair to dry.


"Good night," Justin said taking a step towards the door into the house.


"Don't go yet," Brian asked.


Justin sighed. "All right, I'll have one drink with you and then that's it."


Brian smiled and stepped into the kitchen returning quickly with a couple of beers from the fridge. He handed a bottle to Justin and then clinked his against Justin's. "Here's to times remembered," he said softly.


Justin looked into Brian's eyes and wondered what was going on in Brian's head. This night had been so unreal. They sat down again feeling the soft summer breeze float across their bare chests.


"Brian," Justin began after he had sipped on his beer for a while. "I think Gus is really worried about school."


"I know he is, but I'm not sure what I can do about it. I keep trying to encourage him and tell him he can do it."


"Why do you think he's so negative about it? Bramley Hall can be a fresh start for him."


"I don't know. He worked really hard on his make-up assignments, and then…"


"Then what?"


"Then Greg said some really cruel things to Gus about being dumb and having to work all summer on school assignments."


"That guy was a colossal ass," Justin declared even though he had barely seen the man. "How did you get stuck with him?"


Brian almost choked on his beer. "I … I wanted someone and the sex was great and he kept pushing. I knew he and Gus didn't get along, but I refused to see how bad it really was. I thought … he might be my last chance." The last part of that statement was barely above a whisper.


"Why would he be your last chance? You're still beautiful and … rich and … sexy," Justin admitted.


"You think so?" Brian asked.


"It's not like you to fish for compliments," Justin stated.


"I like hearing them … from you."


"I think we both should get some sleep," Justin said standing up and collecting his clothes.


"If you must," Brian said doing the same.


They made their way inside and up the stairs. At Brian's room they stopped.


"Good night," Brian said looking longingly at Justin. "I hope you like the bed."


"Good night, Brian," Justin said softly and continued down the hall. He looked back to see Brian staring after him as he closed the door to the master suite.


Brian had gone into his room and flung himself down on the bed. That was where he still found himself an hour later, lying alone thinking of what had happened that evening and who was down the hall just out of reach. He knew he would not sleep once again.


Brian lay in his bed listening to the sounds of the house, of which there were practically none. Everyone was in their room supposedly sleeping. Tossing restlessly, he thought about his chat with Justin and then Gus begging Justin to stay. He smiled slightly. Gus seemed to like Justin as much as Brian did. And Justin was so close and yet so far.


Brian was about to get up and go down to the library to spend another sleepless night in front of Justin's painting when he heard a light tap on his door. "Yes," he said wondering if it was Gus.


The door opened slowly and Justin was standing in front of him wearing only his jeans. "Are you still awake?" Justin asked.


"Couldn't sleep," Brian replied. "Come in."


Justin closed the door behind him. "I … I'm not sure what I'm doing here. I couldn't sleep either."


"I have a lot of nights like that," Brian said. "I was about to go downstairs and get a drink. Want to come?"


Justin shook his head. "I don't want a drink. I … I can't stay in that room by myself," he admitted softly.


"Me either," Brian said. "Come and lie down. I promise I won't do anything."


Justin nodded and moved towards the bed. Brian raised the sheet indicating Justin should slide under. Justin hesitated and then, sitting on the edge of the bed, he slid his jeans off. He quickly pulled the sheet over himself and clung to the edge of the bed.


Brian watched Justin and smiled. "I promised I wouldn't ravish you. You'll never sleep if you're hanging onto the edge of the mattress so you don't fall out. Come a little closer."


Justin shifted slightly in Brian's direction. "I'm sorry about this, but I just couldn't stay there."


"Don't worry," Brian said.


After a couple of minutes, Justin's voice came soft and low. "Did you think I might come back someday and we'd sleep in that bed together?"


"Yes."


"Why didn't you do something about it then?"


"It had to be your decision."


"But I had no intention of ever coming here."


"I know."


"Jesus, Brian, I don't understand you," Justin said turning on his side so he could look at Brian.


"I don't understand me either," Brian admitted.


"Do you want to start over … really?"


"God, yes," Brian gasped. It came out as a strangled cry.


Justin rolled closer to Brian and cupped his face in his hands. "What have we done to each other?"


"I don't fucking know," Brian cried fighting the tears that were filling his eyes. He pulled Justin against him and just held on.


Justin didn't struggle or pull away. He allowed Brian to hold him and he held Brian in return.


"Make love to me, Brian," Justin whispered against his ear. "I've missed you so much."


"Are you sure?"


Justin nodded and whispered. "Let's just live in the now. I want you."


Brian felt himself grow hard at Justin's words. He had waited so long to hear those words once again. He pulled Justin against him and started kissing the lips he had longed for, the cheeks that he craved, the neck that arched just right so that he could find the spot that Justin loved. He flipped Justin onto his back and sprawled across him.


"Are you sure this is what you want?"


Justin nodded. "I want you."


Brian captured the soft lips once more and rutted against the slim body beneath him. This was what he had needed for so long, what Greg had only been able to barely replicate, what his body had cried out for all this time.


He slid down Justin's body nipping at his nipples and then sucking. He rimmed Justin's belly button and plowed it with his tongue, wishing that it was Justin's ass. But he wanted to savor every party of his lover and the ass would have to wait its turn. He slid farther down smelling Justin's pubes and burying his nose in the fluffy hair. He spread Justin's legs and pushed them up biting at the inside of Justin's thighs and then licking the red marks.


Justin whimpered and held onto the sheets for dear life. No one could do what Brian Kinney did to him. He had tried a lot of men but none had every measured up in any way. He whimpered as Brian's tongue licked his balls and then down across the soft sensitive skin of the perineum. Brian's tongue licked at his hole and Justin tried to squirm around and make it enter him. Justin's cock rested against his stomach, red and leaking.


"Oh God, Brian, I don't know how much more I can stand."


"You can come if you have to. I'm going to taste every part of you before we're through." With that, Brian's lips encircled Justin's dick and sucked hard. Justin came in a shuddering orgasm that left him breathless.


After a moment, he opened his eyes to see Brian propped on his elbows watching him. "Roll over," Brian ordered.


Justin did as instructed knowing instinctively that Brian was going to eat him out. It had been so long and he could hardly wait. Brian's tongue probed his hole pressing in and then receding. Justin tried to get it to go deeper but Brian wanted to set the pace. He kept pushing Justin down as he tasted and nipped and jabbed.


"Please, Brian, fuck me," Justin groaned. He had to have Brian inside him.


"I thought you'd never ask," Brian smirked as he rolled on a condom.


"Asshole," Justin grinned.


"That would be me," Brian chuckled as he squirted lube up Justin's lovely ass.


Without further preparation, Brian positioned his cock and forced it through the ring of tight muscle. He could tell immediately that Justin had not been with anyone for quite a while, at least not someone with as big a dick as Brian's. He couldn't see Justin settling for much less. He smiled to himself as he pressed in a little further. He heard Justin gasp and moan and he waited until he felt Justin's hole relax a bit.


"If it hurts too much, just tell me," Brian whispered.


"It's been a long time, but I can still handle you," Justin said glancing over his shoulder into Brian's eyes. Their eyes met as equals.


"You always could," Brian said meaning all that that statement could imply.


Gradually he pressed forward until he was almost all the way in. Justin pressed back and rose up a little. Brian stuffed a pillow beneath his lover and started to thrust. It didn't take them long to fall into their tried and true rhythm that gave each of them so much pleasure.


Brian could feel his heart rate go up and his body start to sweat. Nobody made him work so gloriously hard for the reward that awaited each of them. He pounded into Justin's sweet ass, feeling the man meet and return each thrust. They were soon bathed in sweat as the tinglings of orgasm began to escalate.


"Fuck, Brian, you feel so good," Justin gasped. "Almost there."


"Me too," Brian whispered as he felt his balls rise up. He lifted Justin back against him and held him impaled there for a minute. The urge to say how much he loved him and wanted him back was so great, but he bit Justin's shoulder instead and began stroking him off as he thrust upward. He hit that spot that Justin loved. Justin cried out and filled his hand with cum. Brian released Justin to lie down and thrust a few more times before reaching his own orgasm. They lay spent against each other.


"Fuck, you haven't lost your touch," Justin gasped when he could get his voice to work.


"Neither have you," Brian admitted. What had he been thinking when he was with Greg? This was a thousand times better.


After a few minutes Brian's hand slid around Justin and started tugging on his dick.


"That felt like another one," Brian smirked.


"I'm ready if you are," Justin said, "only I want to watch your face this time." He wanted to memorize that look that Brian always had when he came. He looked so beautiful at that moment.

 

Brian was happy to oblige. They fucked a couple of more times until each finally fell into a contented and exhausted sleep.

Chapter 24 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 24


Brian woke and stretched luxuriously. He couldn't remember the last time he had felt this good. His arm reached over searching for Justin. The bed was empty. Brian sat up looking around.


"Justin," he called softly towards the bathroom. There was no reply.


Brian got out of bed and went to look in the bathroom. It was empty. It was still early so he quietly opened his door after throwing on a robe. Maybe Justin had gone back to the master suite. Brian padded down the hall and checked the bedroom, the bath and the study. All were empty. He went to the window that faced the driveway and with some trepidation he looked out. Justin's rental car was gone. He had left Britin.


Brian felt his heart clench in his chest. He suddenly found it difficult to breathe. He slid down the wall and rested his head against the cool plaster. Justin was gone! Brian had thought last night might have changed everything, but Justin had chosen to run once again. Maybe it truly was too late for them. Brian let his head rest on his knees and he allowed the tears that he had fought for so many years to fall.


Some time later Brian felt a hand touch his shoulder.


"Dad? Dad! What's wrong?" Gus asked.


Brian blinked and wiped at his face with his hands. "Um … nothing," he said trying to get his voice to sound normal.


"Where's Justin? I was looking for you guys, and I couldn't find you anywhere."


"Um … he's gone back to Pittsburgh," Brian half croaked out.


"Why? What happened?" Gus asked, the look on his face showing that he was not happy with that turn of events.


"Justin has a life to live and a show that he has to be part of," Brian replied. He tried to stand but found that his legs didn't work very well.


Gus offered him a hand. Brian took it and let Gus pull him upright. He threw an arm over Gus' shoulder feeling the need for something to stabilize him in case his legs gave out. "Are you okay?" Gus asked.


"Yeah, I need a shower," Brian said and allowed Gus to steer him out into the hall. He refused to look at the four poster bed on the way by.


"Did something happen between you and Justin?"


"It's nothing to worry about, Gus. Go get dressed and maybe we can do something together today."


"I'd like that," Gus smiled, "but I want to know why Justin's gone. I wanted to see him."


"Just leave it, Gus. I don't want to talk about this right now." Brian disappeared into his bathroom and Gus sat down on his father's bed.


Gus knew it could not be a good thing that Justin had left without saying goodbye to him … or to anyone else. His father had been upset when Gus had found him sitting in the study off the master bedroom. He and Justin must have had a fight or something. But, they had seemed to be getting along so well the night before. Gus remembered how much he had enjoyed watching "The Simpsons" with Justin. He enjoyed everything he had done with Justin. He couldn't let this happen.


Gus spotted his father's cell phone sitting on the nightstand beside the bed. He picked it up and scrolled through the programmed numbers. Sure enough, there was a phone number for Justin. Taking a big chance, Gus pressed the number and waited.


"Hello," Justin's voice came on the line.


"Justin, it's Gus."


"Hello, Gus. What can I do for you?"


Gus wasn't sure whether he heard sadness or fatigue in Justin's voice. Neither one of them sounded very good. "I … I wanted to know why you left. I was hoping we could hang out today."


"I have things I have to do in Pittsburgh," Justin said feeling suddenly guilty for rushing away.


"I know, but … you didn't even say goodbye to me."


"I'm sorry, Gus, but I just had to get away."


"From Dad?"


Justin almost drove off the road. He was already in Pittsburgh and close to his mother's. He noticed a parking spot and pulled into it, deciding that might be the smartest move before he killed someone. "Gus, some things happened between your dad and me, and I need to sort them out."


"Does that mean you're coming back?"


"I don't know."


"But … you have to."


"I can't make any promises, Gus. I'm sorry but I need to go."


"Bye," Gus said.


Justin could hear the hurt in his voice as he cut the connection.


Gus sat with the phone in his hand staring at the evil instrument. It didn't sound like Justin was ever coming back.


"Gus, what are you doing with my phone?" Brian said as he came out of the bathroom with a towel around his waist. He was drying his hair with another towel.


Gus turned angry eyes on his father. "I called Justin. What did you do to him?"


"Fuck!" Brian reacted before he could stop himself. "You don't have permission to go through my phone," he stated in his most parental voice trying hard not to yell at his son.


"You drove Justin away," Gus accused him. "He's never coming back."


"Did … did he say that?" Brian asked.


"It sure sounded like it. Why, Dad? Why couldn't you be nice to him?"


"I tried, Gus. Really I did."


"Not hard enough," Gus said bitterly. All his plans were ruined.


"Gus, I … can't we just hang out today and forget about Justin?"


Gus stared at his father like he had two heads. He tossed the phone on the bed and ran to the door. "I don't want to be around you." He swept through the door slamming it behind him.


Brian stared at the door wondering how he could have screwed up so badly in such a short time. He had thought that he and Gus were getting back on track, and now they were back at square one. He had thought he and Justin had reconnected and now he was gone. Brian let out a long sigh and opened the closet to find something to wear.


Lindsay found Brian sitting by the pool drinking coffee. "Morning," she said as she sat down beside him with some toast and her own coffee.


"Morning," Brian replied without really looking at her.


"Where's Gus and Justin?"


Brian winced. He had hoped she had talked to Gus or just fucking figured it out. "Gus is mad at me and Justin's gone."


"Gone?"


"As in left, departed, went home," Brian scowled.


"But…"


"Don't."


"Okay, then what's wrong with Gus?"


"He thinks I did something to Justin to drive him away."


"Did you?"


"Jesus, why does everything have to be my fault?"


Lindsay looked at him. He seemed raw, opened up somehow. Normally he would never have said anything about it being his fault. He would have merely accepted it as his due and suffered the insult without any apparent feeling. But he felt this. Something was different.


"Tell me what happened," Lindsay said softly.


"I … I was honest with him. I admitted things that I had done. I told him that I wanted to try again."


"You did?"


Brian nodded. "Last night I was probably more honest with him than I've ever been."


"And he walked away?"


"Hell, he ran, escaped without a word. He couldn't even stand to face me this morning," Brian said rubbing his face with his hands. It felt like someone had punched him in the jaw. The words hurt.


"Did you fuck?"


"It's none of your business," Brian said glaring at her. "But yes we did, or rather we made love," Brian amended.


Lindsay smiled a little bit. She had never heard Brian say that before. He had it bad. "Did you tell him you love him?"


"It … it never came up."


"But something else did," Lindsay said flatly.


"Christ!"


"He might have wanted to hear you say you love him … finally."


"I told him once before," Brian whispered.


"You did? When?"


"After Babylon was bombed. I was so scared he'd been hurt … or worse. I told him I loved him."


"And then you got engaged and were about to be married."


"Yeah, not too long after."


"And then I told you about his chance to go to New York and make it big."


"Yeah."


"And you let him go."


"Justin thinks I drove him away so that he'd take the opportunity."


"And did you?"


"Maybe a little. I wanted him to have his chance. I didn't want him staying with me and always regretting what might have been."


Lindsay sighed. "And what if what he really wanted was you?"


"That wasn't what you thought back then. You wanted me to let him go."


"I know, but I guess I kind of hoped you could make the relationship work anyway."


"We did for a while."


"But then it all fizzled?"


"More like we both chose something else?" Brian said slowly.


"It doesn't sound like you chose anything else. You just let Justin go. You thought you were doing the right thing, I'm sure."


Brian nodded. "That's what Justin said. But he doesn't think I know what's best for him. He blames me for what happened."


"He could be right." Brian glared at Lindsay. She was supposed to be his friend. "Brian, I've known you long enough to understand how you think. You didn't think you were worthy of Justin's love." Brian's glare intensified. "Or, at least, you didn't think he should be deprived of a chance of a lifetime." Brian nodded. "But it wasn't your decision to make."


"Justin made his own decision to go to New York."


"But you helped him?"


"Some."


"That's what I'm getting at. How many times do you think you can do that before he starts doubting what's real and what you're putting on for his benefit?"


"You think he doubted what we did last night?" Brian asked truly worried. It had been damn near perfect as far as Brian was concerned.


"I don't think he doubted the emotion. He doubted where it was going to lead," Lindsay said gently.


"As in leading to me pushing him away once again."


Lindsay nodded. "That's your track record."


"Fuck!"


"So what are you going to do about it?"


"What can I do? If he doesn't trust me…"


"Then you have to show him that you can be trusted."


"How the fuck am I supposed to do that?"


"Don't let him walk out of your life. Go after him. You'll never convince him of anything if you're sitting here on your ass and he's in Pittsburgh, maybe getting ready to go back to Europe."


"I … I can't go after him," Brian stated.


"Why, because the great Brian Kinney doesn't go after anyone? That gets fucking old! If you want Justin, go and get him."


"Just like that?"


"Just like that."


"And he'll take me back?" Brian asked.


Lindsay laughed. "Fuck no! He'll kick you to the curb, but you have to keep trying until he gets the message."


"I don't know if I can do that," Brian admitted. He hated being on the receiving end of rejection. It was his privilege to reject. He had built his life around that fact.


Lindsay shrugged. "Then give up and admit that he's gone for good … and be miserable for the rest of your life." Lindsay stood up. "I'm going to find our son and see if I can make things right with him." She walked away without waiting for a response from Brian who was lost in thought.


Brian sat staring into the glistening water of the pool. Lindsay's words flooded his brain. "Keep trying. Don't let him walk away. Be miserable for the rest of your life." And Brian knew that if he didn't at least try to fight for Justin, he would be miserable for the rest of his fucking life. With great effort he pushed himself up out of the lounge chair. He walked slowly into the kitchen and then kept going upstairs to his bedroom. He walked through the door and stopped. He stared at his cell phone lying on the bed where Gus had tossed it. All he'd have to do was pick it up and hit Justin's number.


And then what? Justin would probably refuse to answer. Or if he did, he'd tell Brian to get lost. Or he'd listen patiently and then tell Brian that it was over once and for all, in that reasonable voice that always drove Brian crazy. Or he might cry, and that would be impossible to deal with, but not very likely to happen. Justin seemed much stronger now. Or maybe, just maybe, Brian could convince him to talk or to meet with him. He needed to try, if only he wasn't such a fucking coward, so afraid of a bad result. He wasn't sure what he would do if Justin refused to talk to him.


Hesitantly he made his way to the phone. He hated that his hand shook as he picked it up. Holding his breath he scrolled down to Justin's number and pressed. He waited while the phone rang a couple of times.


"Hello?"


"Justin, it's Brian."


"I know."


"And you still answered?" That had to be a good sign.


"Yeah."


"Why … why did you take off without a word?" Brian asked trying to keep his voice level.


"I was scared," Justin said his voice hardly above a whisper.


"Scared?"


"Yeah."


"Why? Did I do something?"


There was a rather long and disconcerting pause. "No, it wasn't you. It was me. Everything felt so normal, like we'd never been apart, and that scared me."


"I don't understand."


"It felt like it was the same as it's always been, and look how we've ended every time."


"I see."


"You do? What do you see … exactly?" Justin asked wanting to get Brian's take on this whole … whatever it was.


"I … felt like we'd never been apart, but I thought that was a good thing. I thought we had … reconnected."


"You did?"


Brian could almost hear the smile in Justin's voice. Maybe for once he had said the right thing. "I … I want to see you again."


"You do?"


Brian smiled. "I do. How about dinner tonight?"


"You mean like a date?" Justin asked with a grin.


Brian snorted. "Yes, I mean … exactly like a date," he stated boldly.


"This is Brian Kinney I'm talking to, isn't it?"


"Yes."


"It's just that you hate dating and…"


"Relationships? I thought you'd learned that I only reserve those things for you."


Justin was about to bring up that guy who had been at Britin, but thought better of it. "You sure you want to take me on a date?"


"I'm sure."


"Pick me up at seven," Justin said with a smile. This might be fun. "Oh, and I don't put out on the first date."


Brian snorted. "You've already put out."


"Not on a date," Justin said smugly.


Brian thought about that for a second. In all the time they had been together he would be hard pressed to name a date that they had gone on, at least anything that they had consciously called a date. This would be their first. "What hotel are you at?"


"I'm at my mother's."


"Oh, the condo?"


"No, she's in a new house." Justin gave Brian the address and some directions as to how to get there.


"I'll pick you up at seven. And thanks."


"Thanks? For what?"


"For giving us another chance."


"Brian, I don't know if this is another chance. I don't know what it is. Let's just take things slow and see where it goes."


"Okay," Brian said slowly. He wasn't sure he liked the sound of that, but at least he was getting to see Justin again. They could proceed from there. "Later," he said.


And he smiled as he heard Justin say, "Later," in response.


"Dad?" Gus said as he peeked his head in the bedroom.


"Are you speaking to me now?" Brian asked.


"Mom said I shouldn't give you such a hard time about Justin."


"She's right; you shouldn't."


"Um … sorry."


"It's all right, Gus. I know how much you like Justin."


"I do. I just wanted…"


Brian raised his hand to stop Gus from saying more. "Don't tell your mother but I just called Justin and asked him out on a date."


"You did?" Gus asked with a big grin. "Is he going?"


"You doubt me?" Brian smirked.


"That's great, Dad. Maybe you and Justin can…"


Brian pulled his son into a hug. "Don't get your hopes too high. It's just a date."


"But it could be the beginning…"


"Of nothing … or everything," Brian said softly. "I don't know what's going to happen, but it's a start."


Gus smiled. "I hope so."


"You know, speaking of apologies, you need to have a talk with your mother."


"I know."


"So why haven't you?"


"I … don't know what to say or how to say it."


"Just tell her what you feel."


"Just like that?"


Brian nodded. "I'm a great one to be giving advice in this area," Brian said sarcastically. "But I think that's the only way to do it."


"I'll try."


"Good."


"Want to go for a swim?" Gus asked hoping to change the topic.


Brian smiled at him. "You mean before my date?"


"Is it tonight?"


Brian nodded. "I have a few hours yet, so let's have that swim."


"And then I'll help you pick out what to wear," Gus laughed.


It was good to hear that sound. "You think I need help?"


"Maybe just a little."

 

Brian threw his arm around Gus. "Then I'm glad you're here to look after me."

Chapter 25 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 25


Brian pulled up in front of the house in a very nice residential section of Pittsburgh. The house was not a whole lot different than the one Justin had lived in as a boy with his parents. A fleeting thought crossed Brian's mind that maybe Jennifer and Craig were back together, but then he realized that was a ludicrous idea. Jennifer had obviously done well for herself in the real estate business.


Brian opened the door of his Mercedes and stood up. He almost wished he had the Corvette in one piece and could pull up in that. Jennifer would have a fit thinking that big, bad Brian Kinney was coming to pick up her baby boy once again. Only the Corvette was demolished and Justin wasn't a baby anymore and Brian didn't want to be thought of as big, bad Brian Kinney. He was trying to make a different impression this time.


He walked over to the front door and rang the bell. He waited, wondering what was making the pounding sound he could hear. He realized that it was his heart thudding in his ears. He swallowed hard trying to get some saliva into his mouth.


The door opened.


"Jennifer," Brian managed to get out.


"Brian, it's been a long time."


Brian nodded. "Is Justin ready?"


"Come in; he's still preening."


Brian smiled. That's what he had been doing earlier under the close scrutiny of Gus and Lindsay. You would have thought they were going on this date with him. Maybe they had as much riding on it as he did. Brian stepped inside and Jennifer closed the door indicating that he should go into the living room.


"Would you care for a drink?" Jennifer asked.


"Um … no, thanks," Brian said. As much as he would have liked a good stiff one he didn't think that would be a good idea.


"How have you been?" Jennifer asked sitting in a chair across from him.


"I'm fine. You?"


"Good."


"How's Molly?"


"She'll finish university this year."


"They grow up so fast," Brian said with a faraway look in his eye.


Jennifer frowned. She wasn't sure what that meant. "How's Gus? I understand he had a concussion."


"He's doing better. I think he'll be able to start school on time."


"That's good news."


"Brian?" Justin's voice said from the doorway.


Brian looked up to see Justin standing there in dress pants and a caramel colored cashmere sweater. He looked good enough to lick, just like the toffees that were the same color as that sweater. Brian cleared his throat. "You look great," he said unable to take his eyes off Justin.


"Thanks, so do you," Justin grinned. "Shall we go?"


"Yes, we shall," Brian said standing and making his way over to Justin. His knees suddenly felt altogether too wobbly.


"Will you be late?" Jennifer asked.


"Probably not, but I have the key you gave me," Justin replied as they made their way to the door.


"It was nice to see you again, Brian," she called.


Justin closed the door behind them before Brian could reply. "That was rude," Brian said.


"I didn't want you to have to lie," Justin said.


"When have you known me to lie?"


Justin gave him a look that clearly said, 'What the hell were we talking about yesterday?'


"I always liked your mother," Brian said aloud.


"Liar."


"Well, I grew to like her."


"Uh huh."


"I did. Why do you think I got her to help me find the building for Kinnetik?"


"I thought you were trying to help the poor Taylor family who had fallen upon hard times."


"That too," Brian laughed. "But how many other real estate agents do you think would have shown me the old baths as a place for a new business. Your mother has balls."


Justin laughed as Brian pulled the door of the Mercedes open for him. Justin slid in wondering at the amazing fact that he was actually on a date with Brian Kinney after all these years. "My mother would be thrilled to hear that."


"I'm sure she already knows," Brian said as he got behind the steering wheel.


"So where are we going?" Justin asked.


"It's a surprise."


"Ooh, I love surprises," Justin giggled.


"I hope you love this one," Brian said suddenly wondering if he was doing the right thing by taking Justin to this place.


Justin sat in silence as Brian drove along. He did wonder where they were going. He hoped it wasn't the diner. Not because he didn't like the diner, but this was a date, for fuck's sake. Brian was dressed too nicely to be taking him to the diner, Justin decided and he breathed a sigh of relief.


After some time they pulled up in front of an old mansion. "What is this place?" Justin asked.


"It's called Julie's."


Brian got out of the car and handed his keys to the valet. He met Justin on the other side of the car. With that little protective gesture that Justin used to like, Brian put his hand in the small of Justin's back and they walked up to the front door.


Brian opened the door and allowed Justin to step inside the foyer. There was a lectern standing imposingly in front of them. A man in a beautiful tux hurried up to greet them.


"Ah, Mr. Kinney, good to see you again."


"Thanks, Julie. Is my table ready?"


"Of course."


The man ushered them through a couple of lovely rooms where people sat eating or having a drink or talking quietly. The whole place exuded privacy and class. They arrived in a small room with two tables. Julie laid their menus on one table and said he would send the wine steward right over. Brian and Justin sat down.


"This is quite the place," Justin said looking around. "Do you come here often?"


Brian raised a brow at the implication that he brought dates there all the time. "Rarely for dinner, but I do bring clients here for lunch occasionally. They have excellent food."


"That's good to know," Justin said rather enigmatically.


Brian sucked in a breath thinking that this wasn't going quite the way he had thought it would. The wine steward rescued him by asking if they had made a choice. Brian selected a red wine that he liked, asking Justin if that was all right with him. Justin agreed and they started looking at the menu.


"Everything sounds delicious," Justin said. "Can you recommend something?"


"Let's wait for the specials. Often they are the best thing going."


"Okay," Justin said closing his menu.


The waiter appeared with their wine and poured them each a glass. He read the specials with Brian choosing the fish and Justin the veal.


When the waiter departed, Justin raised his glass. "To our first date," he said trying to keep the sarcasm out of his voice.


Brian clinked his glass to Justin's and sipped the wine. "It's hard to believe that twelve years after we met, we're going on our first date."


Justin laughed. "It's almost thirteen," he reminded Brian. "Gus' birthday is coming up soon."


"That's right," Brian said. "Such a long time. I wonder why we never did this before."


"I guess when you fall into bed without even being introduced, that doesn't exactly lead to dating."


Brian chuckled. "Yeah, we spent a lot of time in bed. That seemed to be where we functioned best."


"Hm," Justin said. "Maybe that's why we broke up so many times. We never really learned to communicate."


"You mean I never learned to communicate."


"No, I mean both of us. You chose not to communicate and I was too scared that you'd kick me out to push you to say what you meant."


"That's interesting," Brian said with a frown.


"How so? Surely you've thought about that … or maybe you haven't," Justin added not wanting to make faulty assumptions. Maybe Brian never thought about them at all.


"I've thought about what happened between us, but not in those terms."


"And just how did you see it?"


"I saw someone too young for what he was getting into." Justin glowered at him. "And I saw someone too … damaged and too scared to know what the hell he was doing or what he really wanted."


"Are you talking about me after the bashing?" Justin asked as he felt his anger rise. He was not going to allow Brian to blame this totally on him.


"No," Brian said slowly. "I was describing the other half of the equation … me."


"You admit that?"


"I do. It's taken me a long time to realize how fucking scared I really was. I kept telling myself that I was doing the noble thing, that no one could love me, that it was right to let you go."


"I … loved you," Justin said.


"I … think I know that … now, but it took me many years to come to that realization, to believe that you really could love me."


"I never thought you were slow on the uptake," Justin said with a little grin.


Brian smiled at him getting the gentle barb. "About this I was totally clueless. That's why I told you that we didn't waste all those years we were apart. I think we both had to grow and learn. I know that I certainly have."


Justin stared into Brian's eyes assessing what the man was telling him. It certainly seemed to be true. Brian had changed, and seemingly for the better.


"What about that guy who was at Britin with you?"


"Greg?"


"If that was his name."


"It was. He … he was a big mistake. But the sex was great and I tried to convince myself that everything else was great too. It was so much like…" Brian hesitated.


"So much like what?"


"Like the night I met you," Brian admitted wondering if he should say this. "We met and went to bed and it was great. I don't think there has been anyone who has come close to what we had sexually … until Greg."


"Thanks," Justin said with a scowl. "I'm sure I love being compared to that ass."


"He doesn't have your ass at all," Brian smirked. When Justin didn't laugh Brian quickly continued. "He came close, but there was no cigar," Brian amended. Justin had to smile slightly at the implied compliment. "And as far as his personality went, well, you saw what a fucking disaster he was, selfish and mean."


"So why did you keep him around?" Justin asked out of curiosity.


"I refused to see what he was really like," Brian said thoughtfully. "I finally understood when he wouldn't come to the hospital when Gus had the concussion. He told Mrs. Hadley that he was afraid of hospitals. And then there was you. You have the most reason of anyone I know to hate hospitals, and yet you came right away … without even a comment about it."


"Gus needed me."


"I know, and you were there for him."


Justin shrugged. "I guess."


"I really appreciate what you did that night, Justin."


Justin looked up from his wine glass that he had been twirling and met Brian's eyes. He could see that what he had done by going to the hospital that night had really affected Brian. "It was the least I could do … for Gus," he said simply.


Brian wondered if he had been the one in the hospital if Justin would have come so quickly. He wanted to ask, but he was afraid of the answer.


The waiter brought their salads and they ate in silence for a while. Finally Justin looked over at Brian and asked, "Why did you invite me on this date?"


"I thought you'd at least eat your main course before you asked that," Brian laughed although he didn't feel much like laughing. He wasn't sure how to answer that question. "I don't know."


"Sure you do. Tell me."


Brian sighed and pushed his salad plate away. "I was feeling fucking sorry for myself after you disappeared this morning. Gus was pissed at me. He thought I drove you away."


"Wonder where he would get that idea," Justin said ruefully.


"I didn't drive you away, did I?" Brian asked with a frown.


"Not exactly, but as I told you, what happened between us scared me."


"Seems like we have too much fucking fear about this relationship," Brian grimaced as the waiter took away the salad plates.


"That's it exactly. We've seen what happens when we're together. We end up hurting each other, and I don't want to do that anymore."


"Then let me ask you why you're here."


"You asked," Justin grinned. "How could I turn down a date with Brian Kinney?"


Brian smiled. "What happened to all that fear you were talking about a minute ago?"


"I felt bad about running out on you this morning so I thought I'd give you another chance."


"Do we have a chance?" Brian asked staring at Justin.


"Do you want us to have one?" Justin asked staring right back.


"Yes."


"Just like that. Yes?"


"I finally know what I want," Brian admitted.


"And that's me?"


"Yes."


Justin's eyes were large as he listened to Brian's pronouncement. He had never heard Brian talk this way, so definite, so sure. "I can't believe you're saying that after all this time."


The waiter set down their main courses in front of them. They again ate in silence for a while. Both seemed lost in thought about the words that had just been spoken. Brian drank a couple of glasses of wine and Justin had one more. Brian was about to order a second bottle when Justin put his hand on Brian's arm. "Don't get drunk, Brian. I'm really glad we're doing this."


Brian had to smile. "I wasn't about to get drunk," he replied. "I want a clear head while I'm with you."


Justin had to smile back at that. "Good."


They finished their meals and the waiter asked if they would like dessert and coffee. Brian promptly answered, "No."


When the waiter had left, Justin looked at Brian. "You might have asked if I wanted dessert," he said in an accusatory voice.


Brian smiled. This was the new Justin, the one who said what he thought and didn't take shit from anyone, including Brian. "I have that all taken care of."


"What does that mean?"


"Trust me," Brian said, hoping that Justin might even get the bigger meaning in that statement.


"We'll see," Justin said warily.


This was also the new Justin, the one who no longer blindly trusted Brian, who could think and act on his own, and wanted what he wanted without explanation or apology.


The waiter brought their bill and Brian signed the credit card receipt. They got up to leave. As they walked out, Justin looked at all the other couples finishing up their dinners at the restaurant. They were mostly hetero but a few same sex couples. It all looked so normal, just like Brian and Justin had probably looked a few minutes before. Justin frowned not knowing what to think.


They got in the car and Brian drove them down by the river. He pulled into a parking lot and they got out, walking along the esplanade beside the river. The night was beautiful with a little breeze blowing off the water and the first hint of the coming autumn in the air. They watched the river with the moon reflected in it.


After a little walk they came to a vendor selling drinks and ice cream. Brian looked at Justin and with that quirky grin he had he asked, "Dessert?"


Justin chuckled. "I know I'm a cheap date, but…"


"I thought it would be more … romantic out here."


"It is," Justin said.


Brian bought them each an ice cream bar and they walked along a little farther. As they finished their desserts, Justin saw an empty bench and went to sit down. Brian dumped the wrappers from their bars in a trash can and joined Justin.


"It's a beautiful night," Brian said.


"When did you start noticing things like that?"


"Since I moved to the country."


"Have you really been living at Britin?" Justin asked.


"On and off, but now it's on, since Gus is here."


"What happened to the loft?" Justin asked remembering all that had happened to them there.


"I still have it."


"For when you need a fuck pad?"


"Yeah," Brian admitted.


"So your libido is as great as ever."


Brian wasn't sure how to take that. "Didn't I prove that to you last night?" he finally said.


"Brian, I can see that you have changed in so many ways, and … I'm happy that you have."


"But…" Brian said hearing that dreaded word even though Justin had stopped short of using it.


"But, I haven't," Justin said wearily.


"Yes, you have."


"What do you mean?" Justin asked with a frown.


"I see so many changes in you," Brian said softly. "You're confident. You know what you want … and what you don't want. When you said I should have asked you about dessert at the restaurant that was proof that you no longer are content to let me make all the decisions for you."


"And how do you feel about that?"


"I think it's great."


"You do?"


"Yes, I think you've reached the point in your life where you should make your own decisions."


"And what if they don't agree with yours?"


Brian shrugged. "That remains to be seen."


"So, if I tell you that I'm going back to Europe next week, you'll be fine with that?"


"I didn't say that," Brian added hastily. "I don't want you to go and I'm going to do everything I can to make you change your mind on that one."


"You are?" Justin smiled.


"Yep, that's one of the things I was hoping to accomplish tonight. Have I succeeded?"


Justin grinned. "It doesn't happen just like that."


"That's what Lindsay told me."


"She did?"


"She said you'd probably kick me to the curb, to quote her."


Justin laughed. "A very wise woman."


"I hope not," Brian said staring into Justin's eyes. "You're not leaving right away, are you?"


"No, not yet."


"Then maybe I have time to persuade you to stay."


"You'd really try to do that?"


Brian nodded. "You see, Mr. Taylor, you're not the only one who knows what he wants."


Brian stood and took Justin's hand. He pulled Justin up from the bench so that their bodies came very close together. Justin was sure Brian was going to kiss him, but all he did was stare into Justin's eyes. After a minute they began walking back to the car.


Brian drove them back to Jennifer's. He stopped in the driveway and turned to look at Justin. "I hope the date met with your approval," he whispered.


"Very much so," Justin smiled.


Brian grinned and leaned in for a long and rather chaste kiss. Justin expected Brian to ravish his mouth and try to get him to come back to Britin. None of that happened. When Brian broke the kiss, he asked, "Will you be around tomorrow? We could have another date."


"That might be arranged," Justin said carefully. "Call me in the morning."


"Count on it."

 

Justin flashed a sunshine smile and opened the door. Brian watched him disappear into the house. Maybe this dating thing wasn't so bad.

Chapter 26 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 26


Brian spent a night unlike any he'd had in a long time. He slept peacefully and fully. He awoke early the next morning and stretched luxuriously. He looked at the other side of the bed noting that it was empty. He smiled to himself realizing that the previous night he had had his first date with Justin Taylor. It had gone pretty well. Brian's smile widened. They had talked and laughed and even sorted out a few things. There had been that one kiss and no sex, but Brian had to admit to himself that it was the best date he had ever had. Not that he had much to compare it to.


Brian went into the bathroom and showered. His mind kept conjuring up visions of Justin that had long been seared into his brain. He remembered Justin straddling him on the chaise in the loft. Ice cream kisses that were so sweet! Brian licked his lips as the water cascaded over him. His hand sought his cock.


He thought about the first time he had let Justin fuck him. It had been after the whole Saperstein fiasco and Justin's attempt at being independent. Brian felt his ass clench at the memory, and his hand worked faster.


Then there was Britin and that first day that Brian had brought Justin here. They had fucked on the floor in front of the fireplace. Then they had made love, long and slow. Brian gasped as he shot against the shower wall. After a deep breath Brian steadied himself against the cool tiles of the shower. He cleaned off and climbed out of the shower remembering their ill-fated attempt at going all hetero. The marriage proposal had been all wrong for both of them. But at the time, Brian had thought it was what Justin wanted and he had been willing to do whatever he thought Justin desired.


Wrapping the towel around his hips, Brian went back into his bedroom. His cell phone was lying on the nightstand. It was still early but he picked it up and hit Justin's number. After a few rings, Brian was about to hang up thinking that Justin must still be asleep. Suddenly a sleepy voice answered.


"Hello."


"Hey," Brian said softly, his grin all across his face.


"You're calling early."


"Not all of us are sleepyheads," Brian smirked.


"I was tired from my big date last night," Justin replied stretching and rolling onto his back.


"You had a date?" Brian grinned.


"I did."


"How was it?"


"Not bad."


"Is that all?"


"It was actually pretty damn good," Justin amended not wanting to offend Brian. The date had been wonderful and so unlike anything they had ever done.


"Was the guy hot?"


"Very!"


Brian smiled. "Are you up for another one?"


"Maybe, what did you have in mind?"


"Hm, I don't know. I'm kind of new at this dating thing."


"No kidding?"


"No kidding."


"I have to go to the gallery today. A few pieces have sold and Sidney wants me on display this afternoon."


"How about I pick you up at seven again and we'll have dinner? Maybe I can think of another nice restaurant or something."


Justin smiled. "That sounds great." And it did. He could hardly believe Brian was doing this, and without any sex in return. Justin wasn't sure how long he could continue that. He wanted it as bad as Brian did.


"Do you put out on the second date?" Brian asked suddenly.


Justin almost laughed out loud. "Great minds think alike," he giggled.


"Huh?"


"I was just debating that very issue with myself."


"Then … there's a chance?"


"We'll see."


"Okay," Brian said hoping that this meant what he thought it did.


"I'm looking forward to our second date," Justin said. This whole experience was interesting and fun and … different.


"So am I," Brian admitted. "Later."


"Later," Justin replied before cutting the connection.


Brian dressed and made his way downstairs. He headed for the kitchen looking for coffee. Mrs. Hadley handed him a cup immediately and he smiled gratefully before he noticed that Lindsay and Gus were seated at the kitchen table staring at him.


"What?" he demanded.


"So how did it go?" Lindsay asked.


"How did what go?" Brian asked, knowing full well what she meant, but unwilling to discuss the date.


"You know, Dad," Gus put in his two cents. "Are you and Justin back together?"


Nothing like the young to get right to the point. "It was a … date. That's all."


"Did you have a good time?" Lindsay pursued the point.


"Surprisingly, I did."


Gus grinned. "I knew you would."


"You knew, huh?"


"We have a very intelligent son," Lindsay said looking at Gus fondly.


Brian wondered if they'd had their discussion yet. Lindsay was leaving to go back to Toronto the following day and there were still a lot of loose ends that needed to be worked out. No matter how much he was thinking about his date with Justin, there were some other issues that he really had to deal with.


"Have you two made any plans for today?" Brian asked.


"Not really," Lindsay said.


"Gus, isn't today the day that they have the uniforms on sale at Bramley Hall?"


Gus blanched. Since his mother had been there, he had almost managed to forget that school was looming large in just two days. He shrugged. "I don't remember."


"I do," Brian stated. "Last weekend and this weekend were the two times that the uniforms were being offered. You were kind of out of it last weekend. You can't start school without a uniform."


"That's okay," Gus said hopefully, implying that he would be happy to miss the opportunity of attending Bramley.


"Gus, what happened? I don't understand this attitude about school. You worked so hard to get in."


"I … I'm worried that the same things will happen to me at Bramley as what happened in Toronto," Gus admitted reluctantly. He just couldn't bring himself to admit that it was already in progress.


"It's a different school, and you have, or rather had, a good attitude," Brian stated. "That should make all the difference.


Gus shrugged and slouched in his chair. How could he possibly explain to his father what seemed to be happening to him? It was going to be just like Toronto; he knew it was. And it had to be all his fault. Somehow he brought these things on himself. He wished he knew what it was that caused people like that prefect to know that he was susceptible to their scheming, that he could be pushed around, that the guy could make him do whatever he wanted. Gus could already feel the noose tightening around him, and he didn't like it at all.


Brian decided to take a different tack with the situation. "Gus, go up to your room and see what things you might need for school. Make a list. You know, pens, paper, binders, shoes, and we'll all go shopping and then stop at Bramley for your uniform before we come home."


Gus looked at his mother. He hoped she might object but she merely smiled at him. Reluctantly he left the table and headed upstairs.


"What is going on with him?" Brian said to no one in particular.


"What do you mean?" Lindsay asked.


"I don't understand this sudden fear of school. He seemed fine with going to Bramley back when we started the process."


"This is good, Brian. In Toronto, he would throw a fit and refuse to go to school altogether. I don't think you realize how cooperative Gus is actually being."


Brian thought about that. What Lindsay said was true, but Gus had been at least interested in making a fresh start, enthusiastic being too strong a word. Now he was dragging his feet and looking for a way out. "I just don't get the change in attitude."


"Maybe he didn't think about school before. Now it's two days away."


Brian shook his head. He knew it was something more than that. "Has Gus had a real talk with you about what went on in Toronto before I came to get him?"


"No, why?"


"I told him he needed to apologize and set things straight with you."


"He doesn't need to do that. He's so much better now that he's here."


"I'm glad you think he's better, but he does need to apologize."


"Brian, don't rock the boat," Lindsay said simply.


"Is that how things got to be the way they were? You never rocked the boat, never called him on any of his shit?"


Lindsay let out a long sigh. "I just want everything to be all right."


"And you think I don't?"


"I'm sure you do, but he has this temper…"


"That's something else I have to do. I need to find him an anger management class, or a counselor or something."


"Oh Brian, he'll never do that." Lindsay shook her head.


"Since when does he get to make those kinds of decisions?"


Lindsay opened her mouth to reply but did not have any kind of reasonable answer. She remembered just how fucked up everything had been before Brian had taken their son away. She vowed never to let their lives get into that state again. "I'll go see if Gus needs any help," Lindsay said and left the kitchen.


Brian stared at her back as she left. There was no fucking way Gus was going to dictate the rules in this house. Brian needed to take some action about this immediately. After thinking for a few minutes, Brian took a new cup of coffee and walked to the library. He scrolled through his old Roladex. It was somewhat of an antique, but he had always kept it and updated it ever since he had first started working. Sometimes he just liked watching all the names of people past and present spin in front of him. He stopped the wheel at the "W's". He flipped through the cards looking for Wilder, Alex. When he found it, he dialed the number and leaned back in the big chair behind the desk.


"Hello, doc," Brian said when the phone was answered. "It's Brian Kinney."


"No shit! You finally going to let me inside that beautiful head of yours?"


Brian smiled. "'Fraid not. I'm calling about something else."


"Not Justin again, is it?" Alex asked remembering how Brian had come to him for help in dealing with Justin's post traumatic condition following the bashing.


"No, no, it's not Justin. It's my son, Gus."


"Oh?" The surprise was evident in Alex's voice.


"Gus is living with me now and he has some … anger problems," Brian said hesitantly.


"I see."


"If you don't handle this kind of therapy, could you suggest someone that I might take him to?"


"I have several suggestions. Got a pen?"


Brian jotted down Alex's contact information and asked which one he would recommend as the best. Having done all that, they took a few minutes to catch up on old times and then Brian hung up. He looked at the list knowing that this might cause a major showdown with his son, but it still had to be done.


He dialed the first name on the list thinking he would not connect with anyone on a Saturday morning. He was correct and left a message asking to be contacted as soon as possible. He looked at the other names, but decided he would wait for the first person to contact him. That was the one that Alex had recommended as the best.


With some hesitation, he dialed another number. "Steve?" he asked when the phone was answered. "It's Brian Kinney. How's our baby?"


"Baby's looking good."


"You mean it?"


"I'm looking at her right now, and her resurrection is almost complete."


"No shit!"


"Nope. I managed to get parts from someone I often use, all original, and we're making good progress. I should have her good as new by the end of next week."


"You're a fucking genius."


"Thanks," Steve laughed. "But I love that Corvette almost as much as you do. I couldn't let her be scrapped."


"I owe you," Brian said.


"Oh, you're going to owe me big time. I'll be afraid to show you the bill."


"It'll be worth it," Brian said with a smile. "Give me a call as soon as she's ready."


"Will do."


Brian sat at his desk for a long time lost in thought. His life had been so much simpler only a few weeks ago. He had been footloose and fancy free, hardly a responsibility in the world, at least not of the human kind. And now he had a son with problems, and an old friend and mother of said son with financial problems, and now his lover had returned after such a long time. And there was no guarantee that they were going to work things out. His life might have been simpler, but it had been so much lonelier. He thought maybe he'd accept the complications in return for knowing that he had people to love and people who loved him back.


"Mr. Kinney?" Mrs. Hadley's voice followed a gentle knock on the open library door.


"Yes," he said looking up and trying to focus. He had been miles away.


"I wanted to speak to you about Labor Day."


"Yes, that's coming soon, isn't it?"


"In two days."


"What about Labor Day?"


"My daughter is having a barbecue at her house and I'd really like to attend, but I wasn't sure since you have so many people at the house now, if I'd be needed here or not."


"You're always needed here," Brian said graciously. He watched the smile spread across Mrs. Hadley's face. "But, of course you want to be with your daughter and granddaughter." Mrs. Hadley nodded. "Please, take the day off. Maybe we'll have a barbecue of our own. I could pick up some steaks while I'm out this afternoon."


"Oh, that would be wonderful, and I'm sure Gus and Ms Lindsay will both enjoy that too."


"I want to thank you again for your role in helping Gus. He starts school on Tuesday and I think he's quite apprehensive about it."


"I'll help him in any way that I can."


"I appreciate that."


Mrs. Hadley left the room and Brian allowed his thoughts to wander once again. He needed to make some plans for tonight's date with Justin. It was Saturday and most restaurants and other venues would already be booked. He let out a long breath wondering what he could do that would be new and interesting.


He picked up the phone and hit one on speed dial.


"Hello?" A woman's voice responded.


"Hey, Cynthia."


"Boss? Why are you calling on a Saturday? Is something wrong?"


"No, but I need some help."


"You do?" Cynthia's interest was now really peaked. She rarely heard Brian Kinney ask for help about anything.


"Um … what would you do if you were going out tonight?"


"Huh?" Cynthia responded, not at all sure what Brian meant. "Going out where?"


"Um … like on a date."


"A date?"


"Yeah … a fucking date!" Brian's limited patience was fast being eroded.


"Okay, okay," Cynthia said. "I don't know. We might go to a movie and dinner or a concert. There's a jazz program on down at Riverview Park. We had thought about going, but we have a dinner date with another couple, so we won't be there."


"Would I need tickets?"


"No, it's pay as you enter the park. The Sheer Silk Band is supposed to be quite interesting. That's who is playing."


"Okay, thanks, Cynthia."


"See ya Monday."


Brian hung up the phone. He now had a plan for the day. All he needed was his son and Lindsay and they could get the show on the road.


Several hours later they returned to Britin, laden down with school supplies, Gus' school uniform, two new pair of shoes and lots of underwear for Gus. They had stopped at Bramley Hall where Gus had got his blazer and two pairs of trousers to go with it. Gus had seen the prefect who was tormenting him, but he had managed to send his mother to get his shirts at the table where this prefect was in charge. Gus had seen the smirk on the guy's face and it had sent a chill up his spine. He couldn't let Bramley become just like school in Toronto had been, but he was helpless to know how to stop it.


They had also bought steaks and fixings for a Labor Day barbecue. They had even ordered a computer for Gus, which would be delivered next week. It had been a most successful outing.


They all helped to carry the purchases up to Gus' room. Lindsay stayed to help him organize and put away all the new items. Brian went to his room to shower and get ready for his date.


"Do you think Dad and Justin will get back together?" Gus asked as they worked at opening the packages of underwear and socks and storing them in the dresser.


"I think it would be great if they did."


"Me too."


"Don't get your hopes too high, Gus. Nothing may come of this dating."


Gus made a face at his mother. "Mom," he said softly. "Do you think I'm a better person than I was in Toronto?"


"You seem … better," Lindsay said slowly.


"I … I didn't mean…" Gus started to apologize and then hesitated. He didn't know what to say and his mother might not accept his apology. Maybe it was better if he just said nothing.


"What didn't you mean, Gus?" Lindsay asked gently.


"Um … nothing, Mom. Help me make a space for my new computer."


Lindsay sighed and helped Gus clear his desk.


Chapter 27 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 27


Justin's shoulder leaned against Brian's and he smiled as Brian turned to look into his eyes. He was sitting at a jazz concert with Brian Kinney and they both seemed to be enjoying themselves. This was what he had always wanted - a life with Brian. Wasn't that the title of some old movie? He'd have to look that up and see what it was all about. A little giggle escaped his lips.


"What?" Brian whispered.


"I'm having such a good time," Justin smiled.


"You like the music?"


Justin hesitated. Truthfully he had barely heard any of the music. He was just so happy to be there with Brian, to be close and touching, simply existing in the same space and time, somehow connected in all the important ways. "I've hardly heard the music. I just like being here with you."


Brian smiled. "Me too."


The audience started clapping and the concert was over. They both stood and stretched and watched the people start to make their way out of the park.


"Let's go sit over there and wait till everyone's gone," Justin suggested.


"Good idea," Brian agreed and they made their way over to one side of the concert area. There was a bench that had been vacated and they sat down.


"This was a great idea," Justin stated.


"I'm glad you liked it. I wasn't sure."


"Jazz isn't exactly my favorite thing, but this was pretty tuneful. I enjoyed it."


"Good," Brian replied and gave Justin's hand a squeeze. Somehow it had found its way into Brian's.


"How long do you think it will take for the area to clear out?"


"Does it matter?"


"No," Justin grinned. He was right where he wanted to be.


"What did you do while you were in Europe?" Brian asked suddenly.


"Do?" Justin asked somewhat taken aback.


"You know, paint, go to museums … fuck guys?"


Justin didn't know quite what to make of that. He had already told Brian there had been other men, but none who was very important. "Why are you asking this?"


"I guess I want to know if you found someone better than me. I never found anyone who measured up to you." Brian had decided that it was time to really press his point. He was getting good at this baring-the-soul stuff.


"There's no one better than you," Justin said softly.


Brian looked into Justin's face. He wasn't mocking him. "That's not what you said a few days ago."


"I can change my mind, can't I?"


"You mean that?"


"I … Brian, these last few days have been magical, just the way I always imagined it could be. You have changed. I can see that now."


"Do you think you can trust me again?"


"I'm working on it."


Brian smiled and leaned over for a kiss. The park was pretty well empty and they were in a secluded spot. Justin leaned forward and their lips came together with the usual impact they felt whenever they were near each other. The kiss lingered and continued. Finally as Brian's tongue sought entrance to Justin's mouth, Justin backed away breaking the kiss.


"What's wrong?" Brian frowned.


"I still want to go slow."


"I know, but there's slow and then there's dead stop," Brian protested.


"Let's go to Babylon," Justin said out of the blue.


"Babylon? What the hell for?"


"To dance."


"Dance?"


"Yeah, you stand up and move your hips to the music," Justin giggled.


"I know what dancing is, but why Babylon? I'm getting too old for that place."


"You still own it, don't you?"


"Yeah, but I don't dance there much anymore," Brian responded. About the only thing he did there was use the back room. "Why do you want to go there?"


"I'd like to see if it's how I remember it," Justin said somewhat nostalgically.


"None of the old gang will be there," Brian cautioned.


"I know," Justin sighed. You could never really go back. "What's Emmett doing these days? I lost touch with him."


"His business is doing really well. He still hasn't found anyone permanent in his life, but he seems to be enjoying himself. He doesn't hang out at Babylon like he used to."


"Do you think we'd see Todd up against a wall if we went to the back room?" Justin giggled.


Brian snorted. "Todd lives in that back room. He'll still be there when he's ninety."


"Ew, gross!"


Brian chuckled at Justin's wrinkled nose, and leaned in to kiss it. Justin gasped at the intimate gesture and then leaned forward for a better kiss on the lips. He felt himself grow hard as Brian's arms came around him and this time he opened his mouth to Brian's tongue. No one kissed like Brian Kinney.


When Brian finally ended the kiss, they were both hard and breathless. Brian leaned his forehead against Justin's as they sucked in much needed air.


"I think we better get out of here before we get arrested."


"Stockwell isn't mayor, is he?"


"Bite your tongue," Brian reacted.


"I'd rather have you bite it," Justin giggled.


Brian realized how much he had missed the sound of Justin's laughter, and his lips and his body. "Let's go."


They quickly made their way out of the park since the crowds had really thinned. Once they were back in the car Brian asked, "Do you really want to go to Babylon?"


"Yeah, I think it would be … interesting."


Brian shrugged but headed the car in that direction. They weren't exactly dressed for clubbing, but Brian was hoping that neither one of them was going there to pick up a trick. That was the last thing he wanted at the moment. He glanced over at Justin noting the small satisfied smile that sat on his blond's lips. He hoped Justin was enjoying the evening as much as he was.


When they pulled up in front of Babylon, there was a line of wannabe clubbers along the length of the building.


"Looks like business is booming," Justin observed.


"I'm not complaining," Brian smirked. He slid the Mercedes into his parking spot in the alley beside the building. They got out of the car.


"Do you think they'll let us in?" Justin giggled.


"They fucking better, if they want their jobs."


Justin grabbed Brian's hand and held on tight as they walked around to the front. At the corner Brian stopped and looked at Justin. He could feel the tension in the man's body. He raised an eyebrow looking at Justin quizzically.


"I'm nervous," Justin admitted.


"Nervous?"


"It's been a long time since I was in Babylon. I'm … older."


"Aren't we all," Brian observed with a rueful smile. "But you still look exactly like you did the first time you came to Babylon."


"That's not true but it was nice of you to say it," Justin smiled.  


"We don't have to go in." Brian didn't want Justin to end this evening on a sour note. If Justin was worried about what might happen inside then it might be better not to go in at all.


"I … I want to," Justin said trying to convince himself that it would be just like old times.


"Then let's go. You'll be fine. You're with me."


Justin couldn't wipe the grin off his face at Brian's words. He was with Brian Kinney, owner of the club, stud of Liberty Avenue, handsomest man on the face of the earth. What was he worried about?


The bouncer deferentially admitted them knowing only too well about the wrath of Brian Kinney. Once inside, Justin took a deep breath as they entered the main dance floor. At first nothing happened as they headed towards the bar. No one seemed to notice them. But gradually there was less laughter and talking. Eyes started to follow them. Brian's hand held Justin's as they approached the bar.


"Two Chivas Regal," Brian ordered as he pulled Justin up against the bar and against himself. He wanted everyone to know that he was with Justin and Justin was his.


Brian held up his glass after the bartender set them in front of the two men. Justin picked his up and looked into Brian's eyes. He waited to see if Brian would say anything or simply down the drink like he usually would.


"To time and its healing qualities … and to the future whatever it holds … for us."


Justin smiled. That was just right. He clinked Brian's glass and they downed their drinks.


"Dance with me," Justin asked holding out his hand.


Brian raised an eyebrow, but at this point he could refuse Justin nothing. He held out his hand and they made their way onto the dance floor. For whatever reason, the music changed just then and they began playing "Dancing Queen" by Abba.


"Where did that come from?" Brian asked looking around.


"Remember the night of Pride," Justin said a nostalgic look in his eyes.


"I remember, stud," Brian grinned.


Justin smiled and allowed himself to be pulled into Brian's arms. They swayed to the music, Brian's arms around Justin's waist and Justin's arms resting on Brian's shoulders. The rest of Babylon swirled around them. Their foreheads came together and they held each other letting all the memories of that night flow over them.


"We did have some happy moments, didn't we?" Justin asked pulling his head back so he could look into Brian's eyes.


"Yeah."


"I seem to have forgotten a lot of them until now."


"I'll remind you," Brian said as he swung Justin around.


"I'll count on that."


They both liked the sound of those statements.


"Want to go to the back room?"


"Um … no."


"I thought you might want to say hello to Todd," Brian smirked.


"I can live without doing that," Justin said as their song ended.


"Let's get another drink."


They went back to the bar and ordered another round. They sipped these, as they watched the activity on the dance floor.


"I wish Emmett was here," Justin said. "He was always … entertaining."


Brian snorted. "Haven't you contacted any of the old gang since you've been back?"


Justin shook his head. "I didn't think they'd be too happy to see me."


"Debbie would love to see you."


"You think so?"


Brian nodded. "You were her Sunshine. Of course, she'd want to see you."


"Even after me leaving you?"


"They never knew the whole story."


"They didn't?" Justin asked. But of course Brian wouldn't tell them what was really going on between himself and Justin. They wouldn't know about the visits to New York, or of Justin's return visits to Pittsburgh, even though they were few. They wouldn't know about the offer to go to Europe. They wouldn't know that Brian had stayed in touch until then, and afterwards had cut all contact. They would have thought that Justin just left them all behind. Brian would have kept all that to himself like he did with so many things. He would have suffered in silence.


"If you're planning on staying in Pittsburgh, you may want to reconnect with these people," Brian said smugly.


"I may, may I?" Justin grinned. "Who said I was staying?"


"I was hoping," Brian admitted with his best puppy dog eyes.


Justin laughed. "You need to take lessons from Michael on how to use that pitiful puppy look. You can't carry it off."


"I thought it was worth a try."


"It won't be your puppy dog eyes that will keep me in Pittsburgh," Justin stated.


"And what will keep you here?" Brian asked pushing his semi-hard cock against Justin's groin.


"That certainly is a factor," Justin said somewhat breathlessly. "But it's not the only factor." Justin gently pushed Brian away.


"Any other persuasive items I could promote?" Brian asked putting his lips very close to Justin's.


Justin sucked in a breath and backed up trying to gain his equilibrium. "Um … did I tell you that Sidney wants Lindsay to stop by the gallery tomorrow? He wasn't aware she was here until I mentioned it this afternoon. He really would love to see her."


"Lindsay's going back to Toronto tomorrow evening," Brian said.


"Maybe she could stop by on the way to the airport."


"I don't know," Brian said. "I'll tell her, or you could tell her when you come home with me tonight." Brian raised an eyebrow hopefully.


"You still trying to get me to put out?"


"Not unless you want to."


"I want to."


"You do? You mean you'll come home with me?"


"That's what I mean," Justin grinned.


"Then what the fuck are we doing standing here?"


Brian grabbed Justin's hand and practically ran from Babylon. A lot of heads turned to watch them leave. Most of the patrons knew who Brian Kinney was, but the vast majority was too young to know the Brian and Justin saga. A few of the older dancers stopped and watched them make their hasty exit. They smiled as they remembered the old days. The two would be going home to fuck. In the old days their fucking had been legendary. And they still looked damn hot.


Brian and Justin flew out the door of Babylon without so much as a look at the hordes lined up waiting to get in. They hurried along the street and turned into the alley where the car was parked. Brian pushed Justin against the Mercedes door and spread his body atop the smaller frame. His lips captured Justin's in a scalding kiss that left them both panting and hard.


"I want you," Brian growled.


"God, I want you so much. Get us home," Justin ordered.


"We could go to the loft," Brian said. "It's closer."


Justin nodded.


Within minutes, Brian screeched to a halt in front of the loft. He squeezed the Mercedes into a parking space that was barely big enough and then leapt out of the car. Justin got out of the car more slowly and looked up at the top floor of the building.


"Come on," Brian ordered, the front door already open.


"It hasn't changed much," Justin said as he walked towards the doorway.


"Did you expect it would?" Brian pushed his lover through the door and pressed the button for the elevator.


"What's it like in the loft?" Justin asked as Brian pushed up the gate as soon as the elevator arrived.


"Not much different than the last time you were there."


"Really?"


"You'll see in a minute," Brian said as the elevator made its way to the top. He wanted to grab Justin and ravish him on the spot, but something told him to keep his distance.


Brian shoved up the gate and quickly unlocked the door to the loft. Justin hung back staying inside the elevator.


"Are you coming?" Brian asked as he pushed the heavy loft door back.


"Or going," Justin murmured.


"Or coming and staying," Brian said remembering that first time he had brought Justin to the loft.


"I … I feel like that scared kid the night you first brought me here," Justin admitted taking a step out of the elevator.


"But you're not. You're a grown man with a great career. You make your own decisions."


"Yeah, I do, but this feels too weird. It's like going back."


"Or going forward into new territory."


"What does that mean?"


"We'll be equals this time. You aren't that scared teenager who wanted to lose his virginity."


"But there's still a piece of that scared little virgin deep inside me."


"And that's why I … love you. You'll always have that element of being my young twink no matter how long we're together."


"And how long do you think we might be together … this time?"


"If all goes well … forever," Brian whispered staring into Justin's eyes.


Justin felt his heart twist in his chest. If only he could believe that. It was what he had wanted so desperately all those years ago, and now Brian was saying it, meaning it. But could he trust that that was what would happen? From past experience he knew Brian threw him out at the first problem that arose. How could he believe that things would really be different?


Brian watched the doubt flitter across Justin's face. He had hurt his boy so many times, and Justin wasn't ready to forgive him and accept the new Brian yet. "I'll do my very best to talk to you and not make rash unilateral decisions," Brian promised meaning it from the bottom of his heart.


Justin smiled just a little bit. That, at least, was a promise that Brian could keep. That he would try, Justin did not doubt. It was the carry through that might be the problem.


"I thought we came here to fuck," Justin said.


Brian raised a brow. Obviously Justin didn't want to continue talking about this. "I'm ready if you are."


Justin chuckled. "And when have you ever not been ready?"


"Is that a criticism?"


"Hell no!"


"Then get that fabulous ass of yours inside. I have plans for it."

 

Justin felt a shiver run through his body. Brian Kinney still had that kind of effect on him. He scurried through the door and heard Brian slam it closed behind him. He heard the lock click into place. His heart was hammering in his chest. There was no going back now. But he didn't want to anyway.

Chapter 28 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 28


Justin awoke with a start. He could feel Brian's heat up against his back. They had fucked halfway through the night. Justin turned a bit and felt the burn in his ass. He glanced over his shoulder at Brian. The man was an insatiable lover, even though he was twelve years older than Justin.


Justin smiled as he turned a little more and watched Brian sleep. He wanted to touch Brian's cheek and his eyes and trace the outline of his nose. Brian was the most beautiful man. Justin could hardly believe he was here once again in the loft in Brian's bed.


Carefully Justin slid out of bed wanting to go relieve himself. He padded naked over to the bathroom and slid the door closed behind him. He didn't want to wake Brian. After relieving himself, Justin opened the door and looked at the bed. Brian seemed to still be asleep.


Justin quietly made his way down the steps and into the kitchen. He found the coffee and started a pot. Having done that, he stood behind the counter looking around the loft. Brian was right. He hadn't changed it much. The sofa was new, but still white and not all that much different than the one that had been there years ago. Brian had good taste and his choices didn't become dated. There was a new dining table, but the naked man still looked back at him from the far wall. Justin smiled.


The chaise was situated in the alcove. Justin felt his ass clench and burn again as he remembered those ice cream kisses once again. The loft had so many memories both good and bad.


"Justin?" Brian's voice came from the bedroom.


"Down here."


"I … I thought maybe you had left again," Brian said appearing naked at the top of the steps.


"No, I'm not running this time."


Brian smiled. "What are you doing down here? I miss you."


It was Justin's turn to smile. "Can't you smell the coffee?"


"Yeah, now that you mention it." Brian came down the steps and swept Justin into his arms. He kissed the willing lips and let his hands slide up and down Justin's back and over his bare ass.


"Yum," Justin gasped as the kiss ended. "You've got me hard already."


"Let's go back to bed until the coffee's ready," Brian said with a suggestive waggle of his eyebrows.


"'Kay," Justin grinned and allowed Brian to take his hand and lead him up to the bedroom.


A couple of mutual blowjobs later, they were ready for the coffee.


"Do you have anything to eat?" Justin asked pulling open the fridge door.


"Not much, since I don't spend a lot of time here. There might be some frozen bagels in the freezer."


"I see times haven't changed much," Justin laughed as he rooted around in the freezer.


He found the bagels and set one to toast. Peanut butter was in the fridge so he pulled it out. Brian poured them each a coffee and they sat at the counter munching on their meager breakfast.


"I should call and make sure Gus is all right," Brian said.


"Yeah," Justin agreed. "Lindsay's with him, but he'll wonder where you are."


"He's knows I'm with you, so he'll be happy," Brian smiled.


"I'm glad he likes us together."


"He remembered you even though he was so little when he last saw you."


"I make a good impression," Justin chuckled.


"You certainly do," Brian agreed placing a kiss on Justin's cheek before heading to the phone. "Lindsay?" he said after a moment. "I'm at the loft. Yes, with Justin. We'll be home after lunch. You'll be ready to go to the airport? Oh, Justin said Sidney would love to see you. If you are ready when we get back then we could stop at the gallery before I take you to the airport. Okay, see you in a while."


Brian hung up the phone and noticed a flashing light on the loft answering machine. He pushed the button wondering who would have left a message for him there.


Greg Fernley's whining voice came on: "Brian, Brian, please call me. It's all a big misunderstanding. I need you. I want us to be together. I promise things will be better. Just call me. I need to see you."


"Fuck!" Brian reacted.


"He doesn't give up, does he?" Justin asked having heard the whole message.


Brian erased it. "It'll be a frosty day in hell before I call that fucker back."


Justin chuckled. That was what he wanted to hear. "Did Lindsay want to go see Sidney?" Justin asked as Brian sat down beside him at the counter. He thought that might be a safer topic of conversation.


"Yeah, I thought we could … um … fuck again, and then I'd buy you a real meal before we head on home."


Justin grinned. "That's what you thought, huh?"


"Yep."


"You always have good plans."


"Not always, but I like this one."


Justin took Brian's hand and they made their way back to bed once again. They lay down together Brian cradling his lover gently in his arms.


"I'm so glad you're here," Brian whispered against Justin's hair.


"I'm glad I'm here too."


"Are you going to stay?" Brian felt compelled to ask.


"Let's leave that for another time. Make love to me, Brian."


Tenderly Brian started kissing Justin's lips and his face and his neck. He worked his way down the familiar body until he claimed his prize. He sucked Justin's thick cock into his mouth and ravished it with his lips and tongue. Justin grabbed the sheets and hung on. A Brian Kinney blowjob was an exquisite experience. Before long Justin was grabbing Brian's hair and begging for release. Brian was happy to oblige as he deep throated Justin and felt the man shoot down his throat. He swallowed it all relishing the familiar taste.


When Justin opened his eyes, he saw a smirking Brian Kinney staring down at him.


"You taste so good," Brian grinned.


"You haven't lost your touch in the blowjob department. Your turn," Justin said.


Brian held up his hand. "I'm fine. I wanted that to be special for you."


"It was, very special," Justin whispered.


"Then let's go shower and I'll treat you to brunch."


"Sounds like a deal." Justin stood up and reached for Brian's hand. They made their way to the bathroom hand in hand. The necessity to touch and be close had not diminished.


About one o'clock they returned to Britin. Gus was happy to see them, and Lindsay looked at them quizzically. She wondered what had happened between them but didn't want to blatantly ask. They found out that Lindsay had packed and was ready to go into Pittsburgh to see Sidney Bloom whenever they were ready. Her plane left for Toronto just after seven that night.


Brian pulled Gus aside as Mrs. Hadley was making them some sandwiches before they left. "Did you and your mother have a talk?"


"Not exactly," Gus admitted reluctantly.


"Gus!" Brian said sternly.


"I'm afraid to bring all that up. She'll remember what I did and hate me all over again," Gus wailed.


"Do you really think she doesn't remember? Gus, she knows what you did, but she will forgive you."


"You don't know that!"


"I do. Gus, you need to do this … for both your sakes, for all of us."


Gus looked like he wanted to cry. "I'll try," he finally said.


"Go in the library and I'll send your mother in."


Gus nodded, looking truly forlorn, and then headed to the library. He had no idea what he was going to say to his mother.


Brian went over to Lindsay and told her Gus wanted to speak to her in the library. She looked at him strangely then nodded and followed her son. The door to the library was closed when she got there so she knocked gently and called, "Gus."


"Can you wait just a minute, Mom?" Gus asked.


"Sure, honey," she said and leaned against the wall waiting.


After a few minutes the door opened and Gus held out a piece of paper towards her. Lindsay stared at it almost afraid to touch it.


"What is it, Gus?" she asked finally making her hand take it from her son.


"Open it and see." Gus had a funny little smile on his face. He looked so much like Brian at that moment that she had to smile back. She relaxed as they stepped inside the library and Lindsay unfolded the paper. She gasped as she looked at the large heart drawn on the page. It was full of words which she started to read:


"Mom, Dad says I should apologize to you for the way I acted in Toronto. I've wanted to tell you how sorry I am for a long time. But I've been afraid that you wouldn't accept the apology and that it was too late to finally say it. I thought if I wrote it, you could take it with you and think about it before you decided if you could forgive me. I love you and I'm really, really sorry. Your son, Gus."


Lindsay felt the tears on her cheeks. This was more than she had ever hoped for. She would keep this piece of paper always. She turned to face her son.


Gus looked at his mother's tearful face and felt all hope leave him. He had made her cry, made her remember all the horrible things he had done. He was about to bolt out of the room when Lindsay smiled at him through her tears.


"This is beautiful, Gus. Thank you for making this for me. I'll cherish it always. I love you and I forgive you."


She took a step towards Gus and they were hugging, holding on like they never wanted to let go.


"I love you, Mom."


"I love you so much, sweetheart. I'm so glad we could do this."


"Me too," Gus grinned.


Lindsay finally released her son and they both wiped at their eyes. Lindsay took Gus' hand and they walked out to the pool where Brian and Justin were waiting for them. Gus smiled at his father and nodded his head.


Lindsay said, "Gus, may I show this to your father?" She still had Gus' note clasped firmly in her hand. Gus nodded and Lindsay handed it to Brian. Justin kept his distance not wanting to interfere in this family moment.


Brian looked up at Gus when he had finished reading the note. "I'm so proud of you, Gus."


Gus smiled and said, "You can show it to Justin too. He's almost part of the family … again."


Justin smiled affectionately at the kid. He was definitely a special one. He read the note through. "That's great, Gus. I'm sure your mother was really pleased that you did that." He handed the note back to Lindsay.


"Ecstatic," Lindsay grinned.


"Let's have some of those sandwiches before we head into Pittsburgh," Brian said as they sat down at the patio table. Mrs. Hadley had set the plate of sandwiches out there and was returning with a large pitcher of lemonade. "Join us?" Brian asked her.


Mrs. Hadley smiled and nodded. Lindsay handed her Gus' note and Mrs. Hadley read it. She smiled at Gus and gave him a thumbs up. Everyone laughed, a warm, friendly, comfortable sound that bespoke friends and family and happy times. Gus couldn't believe how good that made him feel.


After their late lunch Lindsay said goodbye to Mrs. Hadley. They loaded her suitcase in the Mercedes and Brian, Justin, Lindsay and Gus set off for the Sidney Bloom Gallery in Pittsburgh.


When they pulled up out front Lindsay hesitated, her hand on the door handle of the car. "I hope he won't be disappointed in me," she murmured as she opened the door.


Brian gave her a withering glare. "Nobody is going to be disappointed," he stated firmly. "I'm looking forward to seeing your show, Sunshine."


Justin smiled up at Brian and then opened the door of the gallery. Lindsay stepped into the familiar surroundings and looked around. Much was the same but all the paintings were different. A few of the moveable partitions were in different positions. She immediately assessed how she would improve the flow of the exhibit. As her thoughts progressed she didn't see Sidney come up beside her.


"Lindsay?" he said almost in disbelief. "Is that really you?"


Lindsay smiled. "Guilty as charged." She felt herself blushing and smoothed the old skirt she had on.


"It's so good to see you again. Come in the office so we can talk," Sidney directed.


Lindsay looked at Brian and Justin.


"I'm going to show Brian my paintings," Justin said. "Want to see them again, Gus?"


Gus smiled. "I wonder if Dad will be able to pick out the one I liked best."


Brian ruffled Gus' hair. The apology seemed to have cleared the air for them all. Hopefully Gus' attitude towards school would be the next thing to improve. "Let's go see."


After walking through the gallery and congratulating Justin on his artwork, the Kinney men waited outside Sidney's office. Sidney and Lindsay seemed to be in an animated discussion about something, and none of them wanted to interrupt.


"So Gus," Brian began, "you didn't ask me which piece I thought you liked the best."


"Which one?" Gus asked on cue.


"That one," Brian said pointing to the first one Gus had seen when he came to the gallery with Mrs. Hadley.


"You're right," Gus smiled. "Why did you pick that one?"


"It just seemed like the one you would select, the color and the lines and the overall feel."


"Sounds like you know your son pretty well," Justin observed.


"Did you see the painting with the man surrounded by clouds of sadness?" Gus asked.


"That one?" Brian asked pointing to the painting that had convinced Gus that Justin didn't want to see his father anymore. Gus nodded. "It seems sad."


"Is it Dad?" Gus asked Justin.


"It's not anybody in particular, but I was thinking about you when I painted it," Justin said looking at Brian.


"That's how I felt most of the time you were gone," Brian admitted.


"I guess we were still connected on some level even when we were so far apart," Justin said sliding his hand into Brian's.


Gus watched the interaction and smiled. He liked his dad with Justin so much more than he liked him with that Greg guy.


Just then Lindsay opened the office door and she and Sidney came out. "Guess what?" she gushed. "Sidney offered me a job here."


"But you live in Toronto, Mom," Gus said practically.


"I know, honey, but what would you think about me and Melanie moving back here?"


"You think Momma would do that?"


"I don't know, but I'm certainly going to discuss it with her."


Gus gave his mother a big hug. "I'd like it if you were closer. Will I have to come live with you?"


"We don't have to decide that now, Gus. You're doing so well with your father. I don't want to interfere in that."


Brian gave Lindsay a strange look. He couldn't believe she would even consider making Gus live with them. He would fight that all the way.


They left the gallery and drove to the airport. There was little talk as each was lost in his own thoughts. Brian was secretly fuming about Lindsay even entertaining the idea that Gus would go back to living with her. Gus had made progress but he was far from cured. They still had the hurdle of school to overcome. He couldn't believe that after all the begging and crying they had done to get him to take Gus in the first place that they would think they could simply take him back at a moment's notice. No way was that going to happen.


Gus was thinking about how good it felt to have his mother forgive him. He liked being close to her again. He hadn't felt this way for a very long time. He liked the idea of his mothers coming back to Pittsburgh. He could see them more often, and he did miss JR. He would have to apologize to her too. He knew she was afraid of him.


Lindsay was thinking about the new life that might be opening up for them. The reasons they had left Pittsburgh were still there, but the political climate had grown better over the years. She would have a good job if she went back to work for Sidney. And Melanie could practice law again. Their future looked so much better if they made the move back.


Justin sat beside Brian in the passenger seat. He was weighing his options about the future. He had enjoyed being with this new and improved Brian Kinney. He knew Brian wanted them to be together. Justin was beginning to want that too. He would have to make his decision soon. What he and Brian had done the night before had led Brian to believe that Justin was going to stay in Pittsburgh. Justin knew that if Brian asked him to stay with him again this night, he would have to make his intentions known. It wasn't fair to either of them to let this go on without stating where he stood. He just wished he could be sure.


They parked the car and walked into the airport. Lindsay checked in while Brian and Gus stood watching her. Justin stayed off to the side trying to make his decision. He was running out of time. When Lindsay had checked her luggage and obtained her boarding pass, she rejoined them. Brian suggested they get a coffee and maybe something for Lindsay to eat since they didn't serve meals on this flight.


Seated in the restaurant they ordered drinks and Lindsay got some French fries. "I need my grease groups for today," she laughed.


Brian looked at her wondering how he could make it clear that he was not going to give up Gus just because Lindsay moved back. Gus wanted to use the restroom and Justin decided to go with him, maybe sensing that Brian and Lindsay needed some time alone.


"What the fuck was that all about at the gallery?" Brian demanded as soon as Gus and Justin were out of earshot.


"What do you mean? Of course, I would like to be closer to Gus," Lindsay replied.


"It sounded like you intended to take Gus back."


"I would love to have Gus back."


"Where the fuck do I fit in all this? You beg me to take him, he improves a little and then you want him back. No fucking way!"


"Brian, I…"


"No, Lindsay, I won't give him up again."


"I'm not asking you to, if you'll just listen."


"What do you mean?"


"I give you a world of credit for what you've done with Gus," Lindsay said squeezing Brian's hand. Brian let her do it, waiting for the other shoe to drop. "I would love to have Gus come and stay with us if we get a place in Pittsburgh. However, I don't expect to try to take him away from you."


"Seriously?" Brian asked feeling some of his worry dissipate.


"I mean it."


"What about Melanie?"


"I'll handle Melanie."


"Okay," Brian said relaxing somewhat.


Gus and Justin returned. They were talking and laughing together. Brian liked to see that. Lindsay ate her fries with some help from Gus. Shortly after, Lindsay hugged them all, said her goodbyes and disappeared through security.


"Would you like to go out for dinner?" Brian asked the men in his life.


"Could we go to the diner?" Gus asked. "I'd like a burger and fries."


"Of course you would," Brian grinned. "Is that all right with you?" Brian asked Justin.


"Do you think Debbie will be there?" Justin asked apprehensively. He wasn't sure he wanted a Debbie Novotny interrogation, especially when he wasn't exactly sure where he and Brian stood.


"I doubt it," Brian replied. "She usually only does the lunch hour shift anymore."

 

"Okay," Justin said. "The diner it is." Now all he had to do was make a decision before Brian wanted him to go back to Britin.

Chapter 29 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 29


Justin, Brian and Gus were enjoying a greasy and very delicious dinner at the diner. The two younger men had actually convinced Brian to have a burger just like they were having. They watched Brian pick at the burger and fries and had to smile.


"You can actually take a big bite of that, Dad," Gus suggested. "It's allowed."


"It won't bite back," Justin laughed.


"Ha, ha, ha," Brian laughed in his little falsetto voice. He grabbed the burger and ripped off a big chunk that he could barely chew because his mouth was so full.


"There's my manly man!" Justin crowed and Brian smiled around his mouthful of meat.


"Well, I do declare," a voice said from behind them. "It's Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor … here together."


They turned and looked. Justin gasped, "Emmett, is that really you?"


"In all my glory! Sweet cheeks, how the hell are you? How long have you been here? Why haven't you called me?"


"I've been here about a week. I have a show in town. And you look fabulous!"


"Thanks, hon," Emmett responded with his big gap-toothed grin. "This is Chuckie," Emmett added introducing a well muscled young man who stood behind him. Everyone nodded and said hello. "We're just going to grab some takeout. We're going back to my place for a … good time," Emmett said noting Gus listening intently. ""Is this Gus? My God, you look so much like your father." Gus grinned. "Call me soon," Emmett ordered Justin. He went over to the counter to choose what they were going to eat.


"Let's go," Brian said throwing down some money on the table. "See ya, Emmett," Brian called as they made their way outside. "Hope that didn't upset you," Brian said to Justin.


Justin smiled. Brian obviously had listened to Justin's apprehension about how the old gang would accept him. It didn't seem like Emmett held any grudge, but then grudges weren't really in Emmett's nature. Maybe Emmett was the place to start re-establishing relationships with his old friends in Pittsburgh, that is, if he truly intended to stay. And Brian would be there to help him, just like Brian had looked out for him, getting them out of the diner in case it was uncomfortable for him. Justin casually placed his hand in Brian's.


Brian smiled over at Justin as they walked to the Jeep. He had obviously done the right thing in the diner. It was good to know that some of his instincts were still working. After the colossal mess with Greg Fernley, he had begun to doubt his decisions. But one thing he had never doubted was that he wanted Justin back in his life.


As they arrived at the Jeep, Brian knew this was the moment of truth. "Do you want to come back to Britin with Gus and me or should I take you to your mother's?" Brian asked and then held his breath waiting for Justin's answer.


Justin felt his heart begin to race. This was the moment of decision that he had known was coming all day. He glanced down and noticed that his hand was still inside Brian's. That was exactly where he wanted it to be. "I'd like to go home with you and Gus, if that's what you want," he said softly. He ventured a glance into Brian's eyes.


Brian felt tears of relief well up in his eyes. "I want that so much," he said continuing his policy of baring his soul to Justin. He pulled Justin into a hug.


"Then let's go," Justin said squeezing Brian back.


"Yay!" Gus whooped and flung his arms around Justin and his father's necks.


"Happy, are you?" Brian laughed as he hugged Gus back, glad to see Gus so pleased with this turn of events, almost as happy as Brian himself was.


"Let's go home, Dad," Gus said with a big smile.


By the time they arrived at Britin they were all singing along with some old songs on the radio. They went inside to find Mrs. Hadley had made cookies, so they had cookies and milk in the kitchen. Mrs. Hadley asked if she might leave shortly to go to her daughter's. They were having a Labor Day party and her daughter wanted Mrs. Hadley's help in getting everything ready.


All the men agreed that they could look after themselves the following day, so Mrs. Hadley took her leave. Gus decided he wanted to have a swim, but Brian and Justin decided to go have a drink in the library. Brian turned on the BOSE to the same station they had been listening to in the car. Justin poured them a drink and they leaned against each other as they sat on the sofa listening to the old familiar songs.


"This is nice," Brian said after a while.


"Yeah, it is."


"I … I was afraid you wouldn't come back here tonight."


"I wasn't sure I was going to," Justin said softly and took a sip of his drink.


"Why not?"


"Because I knew if I came here, it meant more than just a visit."


"What does it mean?"


"I think it means that I'm willing to give it another try if you want to."


"I do," Brian said setting down his drink and pulling Justin into his arms. "I've never wanted anything so much."


"It's what I want too. I like this new and improved Brian Kinney."


Brian smiled. "I kind of like him too."


Then, as if on cue, the radio began to play "Save the Last Dance for Me". Brian felt Justin freeze in his arms. He looked down into Justin's face.


"That's the song from the prom, isn't it?" Justin asked.


Brian nodded. "Did you ever remember?"


Justin shook his head sadly. "No, all I remember is you trying to get me to dance to it at the loft."


"Very unsuccessfully," Brian remembered.


"Yeah."


"Let's dance to it now," Brian suggested.


"No," Justin said not wanting to be unable to dance like the other time they had tried.


"It's just you and me. Come on," Brian said standing up and holding out his hand for Justin to take.


Reluctantly Justin placed his hand in Brian's and felt himself pulled up. Brian led him out to the foyer where there was an unobstructed place to twirl around. He intended to give Justin the full treatment. Brian took Justin's hand and held him in position. He put his forehead against Justin's.


"Relax and close your eyes."


"How can I see what you're doing?"


"Don't see, feel. Just trust me."


Justin closed his eyes and let his body go kind of limp. He felt Brian take a step and moved his foot accordingly. He felt them sway to the music and his feet followed Brian's. They danced around the foyer. Justin ventured to open his eyes. He could see Brian's beautiful face beaming back at him.


Brian raised his arm and Justin put his arm behind his back and spun around and around as Brian walked him across the foyer. Then he pulled Justin in and dipped him way over backwards. Justin laughed and his sunshine smile was radiant as Brian pulled him up. They twirled around some more swaying to the music, eyes locked together, moving as one. Then Brian picked up Justin and spun him around, his feet completely off the floor. When he set his partner down Brian captured the familiar lips in a long sensuous kiss, just like the one they had shared the night of the prom.


The music ended and a breathless Justin looked up into Brian's eyes. "Is that how we danced at the prom?"


"Pretty much," Brian replied.


"We must have knocked their socks off. I didn't know I could dance like that. I didn't know you could dance like that."


Brian laughed gently. "Neither did I, but I was inspired that night and so were you."


"Was it ridiculously romantic?"


"Absolutely."


"You guys were amazing," Gus said from the doorway that led to the kitchen. He had just come out of the pool and had a towel wrapped around his waist.


"How long have you been watching?" Brian asked.


"I saw most of your dance. You were so … beautiful together. I … I didn't want to interrupt."


"It's okay, Gus," Justin said gently. "I'm glad you let us finish the dance. It's one to remember."


"Yeah," Gus agreed. "I'm going to bed. Night, you guys."


"Night, Gus," they both said as Gus made his way upstairs.


"I could use another drink," Justin said.


They went back into the library listening to the next old tune. It was "Lover Boy" by Queen.


"Didn't that used to be your theme song," Justin laughed.


Brian poured them each a drink, and looked thoughtfully over at Justin. "Maybe at one time it was, but it hasn't been for a while now. And I don't ever want it to be again."


"What do you want, Brian?" Justin asked taking a sip of his drink. He really wanted to hear how Brian would answer that.


"I want you here with me … and Gus. I want to have a happy, peaceful life. I want Gus to be okay."


"Those are great goals," Justin said seriously. "Remember when you wanted nothing more than to go to New York?"


"Yeah," Brian replied. "I wanted no encumbrances, nothing holding me back."


"Including me … or Gus."


Brian nodded. "Times have changed, and so have I."


"I can see that."


"I'm glad you believe me."


"I do," Justin said honestly. "But I need to know some things."


"What things?"


"How do you see this working … this, whatever it is … between you and me?"


"I'm not sure what you mean," Brian said with a frown.


"Do you want to get married like Michael and Ben … or have a commitment ceremony like Lindsay and Mel?"


"We're not Michael and Ben, and we most assuredly are not Melanie and Lindsay. We tried the marriage thing once, and I don't think that's for us."


"I agree, but what are we then?"


"I'd like us to be committed partners," Brian said waiting to see Justin's reaction.


"And what does that mean … exactly?"


"Remember the first time you said that to me?" Brian chuckled.


"Yeah, we were discussing rimming, I think."


"Something like that," Brian laughed.


"But what do you mean?" Justin pursued, needing to know the answer to his question.


"What do I mean?" Brian said thoughtfully. "I want us to be committed to each other, no other tricks, no other lovers." Justin noted the distinction and couldn't help but think of Greg and then Ethan. He nodded his approval to that. "I want us to live here … or wherever you decide. Make that wherever we decide." Justin smiled. "I want Gus to be a big part of our lives. I'm never backing away from him again. I don't know how I could have been stupid enough to do that in the first place."


"Wow!" Justin reacted.


"Don't you like what I said? Is it too much?" Brian asked apprehensively.


"No, no, not at all. I couldn't think of anything better than what you just described."


"You mean that?"


Justin nodded and smiled. "You know," Justin said getting a funny look on his face. "Britin, God I hate that name, is not exactly the place of my dreams."


"It isn't?" Brian frowned. "But it has all the things you said you wanted."


"I didn't see a pony," Justin giggled.


"That could be arranged," Brian said with a straight face.


"Jesus, I don't want a fucking pony!"


"I know," Brian laughed. "I was just yanking your chain. But what's wrong with Britin … besides the name? And if I recollect correctly it was you who named it."


Justin made a face. He had come up with that name, but more as a joke than anything else. "It's kind of staid and predictable," Justin said honestly. "I never thought you'd pick a place like this."


"I never thought I would either, but I thought that it was what you wanted."


"I should never have said that I wanted those things," Justin admitted.


"So you don't think you could live here?"


"I have been living here on and off for a few days now."


"You know I want that to be permanent," Brian corrected.


"Yeah, and somehow this place has kind of grown on me, but it really needs some furniture."


Brian groaned. "That's what asshole Greg kept saying."


"That may be the only thing he was right about."


"Ya think?" Brian chuckled. It was good that they could both mention Greg's name without animosity or getting angry about him. If nothing else Greg Fernley had shown Brian how much better a person Justin was, and how much Brian needed Justin back in his life. On the other hand, Greg had shown Justin how desperate Brian had become. He had begun to doubt himself, and was grasping at straws. Justin had not seen any of that since Greg's hasty departure.


"I think we need to make this place a home," Justin stated.


Brian smiled. "I could buy into that."


"I'm kinda getting to like this place, and Gus is situated in school now. So we should stay here. Besides I love Mrs. Hadley."


Brian laughed. "Have I told you lately how much I love you?"


"Not in the last few minutes."


"Then let me rectify that oversight." Brian turned on the sofa and pulled Justin into his arms. "I love you," he whispered and then kissed Justin softly. "I love you," he repeated and kissed Justin hard. "I love you." Brian's lips refused to leave Justin's for several long minutes. They both groaned when the kiss was broken. Hard cocks ached inside their jeans and each body burned to be consumed by the other.


"Let's go to bed," Justin whispered against Brian's neck.


"I thought you'd never ask."


Justin took Brian's hand and Brian led them up the stairs. When they reached Brian's bedroom, Justin halted.


"What?" Brian asked. "You haven't changed your mind, have you?"


Justin smiled. "No, but I thought maybe it was time we gave that four poster in the master bedroom a workout."


"I thought you couldn't stay in that room?" Brian remembered.


"I said I couldn't stay there … by myself. But this time you'll be with me."


"That's true," Brian grinned. Still holding hands, they made their way down the hall.


Inside his bedroom which was across the hall from Brian's old bedroom, Gus heard the whispered conversation. His smile grew bigger as his father and Justin made the decision to sleep in the master bedroom. He let out a little triumphant, "Yes!" as he heard them move down the hall. He'd have to find a new favorite spot in the house, but that was all right with him. Gus rolled over. Now he could go to sleep without worrying about his father.


Brian opened the door to the master bedroom. He and Justin entered and stood looking at the big four poster.


"I feel like a fucking little virgin," Justin whispered nervously, and Brian could almost feel him trembling through their linked hands.


"It is kind of like our wedding night," Brian whispered back.


"Yeah, I guess it is. But we've already fucked a million times."


"But this will be different," Brian stated.


"Will it?"


"Yes." And with that he pulled Justin into his arms for another long and glorious kiss.


"Shower?" Brian asked as Justin leaned against him.


Justin nodded and they went into the huge master bath. The walk-through shower was turned on and they spent some time under the warm water. Kissing and sucking and turning each other on were the order of the day. When they emerged a short time later Brian pulled Justin into a big fluffy towel. He dried off his lover, each rub a gentle caress to every place on Justin's body. Justin returned the favor drying Brian slowly and carefully before they made their way together back into the bedroom.


Together they threw back the bedspread and removed the cushions. A sheet was all they would want since it was a warm September night. Brian opened a window and a gentle breeze filled the room. With tender, loving care Brian took his new partner into his arms. Kissing him gently he backed Justin up until his knees touched the edge of the bed. Tenderly he pushed Justin back until he was sprawled half on the bed. Justin raised his legs and lay fully on his back. He held his arms out to Brian who slid atop him pressing his body the length of Justin's. They fit together as they always had, their bodies melding into all the right spots. Cocks trapped between them, Brian began rubbing against the body beneath him. He felt Justin arch up into his movements. He loved the way Justin was always so ready for him. A small moan escaped each of them as they savored the intimate contact.


"I love you," Justin whispered. "Make love to me."


"I love you more than you'll ever know. And I want nothing more than to make love to you," Brian declared.


Brian took Justin's hands in his and forced them above his lover's head. He twined their fingers together as he kissed Justin to within an inch of his life.


"I need you inside me … now!" Justin moaned.


Brian quickly suited up and squirted lube into Justin's ass. Justin gasped at the cold and then smiled as he felt it warm up inside him. Brian raised Justin's legs and set them on his shoulders. He positioned his cock at Justin's waiting hole.


"This is the first time," Brian whispered. "The first time of the rest of our lives."


Justin's radiant smile blazed from the pillow as Brian slowly entered him. Brian leaned in and sucked on Justin's bottom lip.


"I love you," he declared finally realizing that he had held those words back for so long. He couldn't begin to calculate what his reticence to them had cost him.


Slowly he began his movements in and out. He watched Justin's face as his pleasure grew. He angled his strokes hitting the spots that he knew Justin loved. Justin arched up into Brian meeting each thrust and savoring the impact. They clung to each other holding on to all the good times they had had together and erasing all the bad memories. Each silently vowed that they would never let the same things keep them apart again.


Their passion grew as Brian directed them to the ultimate release that awaited them. Brian felt his balls draw up and he knew he couldn't hold out much longer. He wanted Justin to come without having to touch his cock. Brian sucked in a deep breath and continued his rhythm.


Justin felt Brian renew his efforts. He knew that Brian wanted to come without having to stroke him off. Justin smiled as he saw the sweat stand out on Brian's brow. The man was pouring everything he had into their lovemaking. Justin felt his own orgasm growing.


"Fuck, Brian! More, right there," he whispered to Brian.


Brian nodded and thrust anew.


And then it was over. The world spun around and everything exploded in a rainbow of colors. Brian felt himself fall on top of Justin and he couldn't do a thing about it. Justin didn't seem to mind because his arms came around Brian holding him close. They lay wrapped in each other's arms all sticky and wet.


"I love you," Justin whispered against Brian's hair.


"And I love you," Brian replied as his regained some of his senses. He slid to the side as he reached for the sheet pulling it over them. He snuggled into Justin's side, let out a contented sigh and promptly fell asleep.

 

Justin smiled as he listened to Brian's even breathing. He slid his hand into Brian's once again. Brian's arm lay across his hip and it felt perfect there. Justin felt lighter and happier and more content than he had in a long, long time. With Brian's arm around him he was safe and wanted. Finally he slept too.

Chapter 30 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 30


Justin rolled over and stretched. His body felt so good. He felt so good, better than he had felt in a long, long time. He opened his eyes. Hazel eyes stared down into his.


"Morning," Justin smiled.


"Morning," Brian whispered.


"I feel good."


"That makes two of us."


"How long have you been watching me?"


"For a while. I woke up and I thought for a split second that you would be gone. When you were still lying there sleeping, I couldn't resist watching you."


"Why did you think I'd be gone?"


"You were … the last time."


"But this is different." Justin watched Brian's face and when he didn't say anything, Justin asked, "This is different, isn't it?"


"I hope so."


"Brian, you did mean all those things you said to me, didn't you?" A frown of worry creased Justin's brow.


"I meant every word."


"Then I'm not going anywhere."


"I love you," Brian said as he rolled over onto his lover. "I love you."


"I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing that," Justin giggled.


"That's good, because I don't think I'll ever get tired of saying it. I love you." Brian grinned from ear to ear and then leaned in for a kiss.


"We should probably get up," Justin said looking at his watch.


"Why? I could stay in bed all day … as long as you're beside me."


"My God, you have turned to mush. Are you sure you're Brian Kinney?" Justin laughed.


"See, you're tired of me already."


"Not at all," Justin said seriously. "But you do take a little getting used to."


Brian laughed. "I suppose I am a bit hard to understand."


"Not that I don't like these changes."


"I'm glad you said that. I was thinking about turning back into the infamous asshole that everyone knew and hated."


"I never hated you," Justin said honestly.


"Even after everything I did to you … to us?"


"I have my fair share of things I did to … us. You can't have all the blame."


"That would be … refreshing," Brian said with a wry smile.


"I'm never letting the family blame you for stuff again," Justin declared.


"But there will be things I am to blame for."


"There will?"


"I'm far from perfect. I know I'll screw up … at least once or twice."


"I guess being forewarned is a good thing," Justin chuckled. "I'll probably screw up too."


"Do you think we'll be able to forgive each other?" Brian asked suddenly serious.


"I think we'll get mad as hell, but as long as we don't walk out or toss each other out, we can get through it."


"I think exactly the same thing," Brian grinned.


"Hey, Happy Labor Day," Justin giggled.


"It will be happy with you here."


Justin grinned and sat up to give Brian a long kiss. They were interrupted by a tapping at the door.


"Dad?"


"Yes, Gus."


"Are you guys ever getting up?"


"Maybe not," Brian smirked.


"I've coffee made and I can make toast for you," Gus pleaded.


"The child wants us to come out and play," Brian chuckled.


"Then we definitely should," Justin said getting up and heading for the bathroom.


"We'll be down in a few minutes, Gus," Brian said as he heard the shower go on.


"Okay."


Brian sat on the bed for a minute thinking, of all things, of Greg Fernley. He thought about how Greg would have reacted if Gus had come to their door. Although he also realized that Gus would never have sought him out when he was with Greg. Greg had been a huge mistake, but maybe he had served a purpose. He had shown Brian what a relationship shouldn't be. He had brought out all the worst traits in Brian. With a contented smile, Brian got up and went to join the man who brought out all the best traits in him.


Britin was a happy place that Labor Day. The weather was beautiful, warm and sunny. They all swam and spent the day lying in the sun on the patio. Justin made them sandwiches for lunch and Brian barbecued the steaks for dinner. Gus helped cut everything up for the huge salad that they all devoured.


As the sun started to go down the three lay tired and full on the chaises by the pool.


"This was a great day," Justin said with a smile. "Did you have fun, Gus?"


"It's the best day I can remember ever having," Gus said. "And it's all because you are here." He smiled over at Justin.


"Hey, what about your old man? I'm here too," Brian reacted although he wasn't really upset. He was as glad to have Justin there as Gus was.


Gus laughed. "You're the one who made this all possible. That goes without saying."


"Sometimes it's nice to say it anyway, Gus," Justin said. "People need to hear that they're appreciated."


"Well, I appreciate everything you've done for me, Dad," Gus said and he meant every word of it.


"Thanks, Gus, and I'm proud of the way you've handled things lately," Brian told his son. He liked Justin's advice and decided to use it on his son.


"I … I hope I can handle school," Gus said allowing himself to think about what the next morning might hold for him.


"I know you'll handle it. Just be yourself. You're a good kid, and I'm sure you'll find some friends quickly." Brian prayed that his spoken words would lead to the reality of that happening. He dreaded the thought that things might turn out the same here for Gus as they had in Toronto.


"It's not so easy being yourself," Gus said almost to himself.


"No one said it would be easy," Justin offered. "I had a rough time at St. James, but I think it helped me build character and made me determined to go after what I wanted."


"Like Dad?" Gus grinned.


"Yeah, like your dad." Justin looked fondly over at Brian.


"The sun's just about gone," Brian observed. "You should go get changed and make sure you have everything ready for tomorrow."


"Yeah, I suppose I have to," Gus said as he reluctantly got up and headed upstairs.


"Do you think he'll be all right tomorrow?" Brian asked Justin.


"I hope so. He certainly seems to be dreading it."


"I wish there was something I could do."


"You're already doing it. The advice you gave him was right on. That's the best way to handle it."


"Come here, you! There's a big empty space here beside me. I need you to fill it."


Justin's lovely smile lit the dusk that surrounded them. He slid onto the chaise next to Brian and felt the strong arms encircle him. He sighed as he laid his head against Brian's chest. They were content just to be together in each other's arms.


By the time it was totally dark, they were starting to get a little cold. Fall was definitely in the air. As they were getting up to go inside the phone rang. Brian picked up the portable.


"Hello."


"Brian, it's Lindsay. I … I have a favor to ask."


"Yes?"


"I … I've decided to accept Sidney's offer. I'm moving back to Pittsburgh."


"I see, so what's the favor?"


"Melanie isn't too thrilled about the whole idea. If she won't move back, can I stay with you for a while?"


"Lindsay, don't be too hasty. Didn't Sidney say you had a month to make a decision?"


"Yes, but I … I want to be near Gus. I don't want to stay here anymore."


"For Christ's sake, Lindsay, talk to your wife. Try to work it out."


"I'll try, but I am moving back there."


"Okay, if you need help, I'll do what I can. But … I'm not giving up Gus."


"I'm not asking you to."


"Good. I'll be in touch."


Brian hung up and let out a long sigh. "This family stuff is so fucking complicated."


"Is Lindsay coming back to Pittsburgh?" Justin chuckled. "You may have a houseful."


"I … I don't really mind as long as you and Gus are here. But I'll buy them a fucking house before I'll have Melanie staying here," Brian declared.


"Let's hope it doesn't come to that."


"Yeah, let's hope. I'm ready for bed if you are." Brian waggled his eyebrows suggestively.


"You're always ready for bed. Mrs. Hadley isn't even back yet."


"She's got a key."


"Okay, then let's go."


Arm in arm they marched up the stairs to once again occupy the master suite. It now seemed like home to both of them.


*****


Tuesday morning, Mrs. Hadley had breakfast ready for them all. Gus was dressed in his school uniform and looked very dapper, at least that was the word that Mrs. Hadley used to describe him. Gus wrinkled his nose at it, but he was secretly pleased. He thought he looked pretty good too.


After breakfast, Justin, Brian and Gus all piled into the Mercedes and headed for the school.


"You have all your books and everything?" Brian asked once again as they drove out of Britin.


"For the fourth time, I have everything," Gus replied. His father seemed as worried about what was going to happen as Gus was.


"You'll do great, buddy," Justin said looking over the back of the seat at Gus. "Just stand up for yourself."


"I'll try," Gus said with a grimace.


As they pulled into the school, the lot was full of cars dropping off children for the first day of the new term. Gus undid his seatbelt and drew in a deep breath. He reached for the door handle.


"Do you want us to come with you?" Brian asked.


"Come where? Are you going to hold my hand until I get to the first class?" Gus asked sarcastically. "That'll make a great first impression."


"Okay, okay," Brian replied. "You'll be fine."


"Yeah, right," Gus said getting out of the car.


"Gus," Justin said. "If you need anything, call."


"Thanks," Gus said as he turned and walked away from the car. He was about to find out if he truly could have a new start.


Brian and Justin sat in the car watching Gus walk across the parking lot towards the school.


"Do you think he'll be all right?" Brian asked.


"I don't know, but he needs to do this for himself. Let's go before he turns around and sees us watching him."


Brian started the car and pulled out towards the exit. He was making a silent wish for Gus to have a good day.


Gus approached the front of the school. He saw the prefect that had been harassing him. He had some little kid cornered. Gus turned away and headed in a different direction. He didn't want anything to do with that guy if he could possibly avoid it.


Another prefect approached Gus. "Are you new?"


"Yeah."


"What's your name?"


"Gus Marcus-Peterson."


"Come with me and I'll help you find your homeroom."


"Thanks," Gus said. At least there was one nice person at this school.


Gus followed the prefect to a table where they studied the list of first years. Gus got his classroom number and directions how to get there when the bell sounded. As he walked back towards the entrance, he noticed that his least favorite prefect was releasing his prey. It was a scared looking East Indian kid that looked familiar to Gus. It was the kid he had sort of met the first day he had visited Bramley with his father. What was his name? Ravi, that was it.


Gus walked over to Ravi. "You need to stay away from that guy," Gus stated.


"I wish I could." Gus could see the unshed tears that Ravi was holding back.


"What did he say to you?"


"Nothing."


"Come on, he's been picking on me too. I saw him do something that he doesn't want me to squeal about."


"He told me … he told me that I would need something to help me get along. Bramley doesn't like anyone of color according to him. And I can get this something from him."


"Fuck!" Gus reacted. He couldn't believe the nerve of that guy. Like he spoke for all of Bramley. "He means drugs," Gus stated.


"I know, but I could never do that.


"Maybe you should go to the principal."


"No, I can't do that either. My parents expect me to fit in and get a good education. I don't want to cause any trouble."


"But…"


"No, I can't," Ravi repeated.


"What homeroom are you in?" Gus asked trying to change the subject.


"Mr. Blanchard, 109."


"Hey, so am I," Gus grinned. "Want to stick together? I'll take your back if you'll take mine."


"I'm not much of a fighter," Ravi admitted trying to smile.


"I don't think we'll have to fight. I just meant we could look out for each other and maybe help each other with homework and things."


"Yeah, that sounds good," Ravi said. Gus could see him visibly relax. The bell rang and they headed off to their homeroom.


Gus and Ravi became inseparable as the day wore on. They had all the same classes and spent their lunch hour together. They had some time to talk between classes and found that they thought about a lot of things the same way. The final period of the day was an assembly. Everyone headed into the auditorium. The principal was up on the stage with a row of prefects standing behind him. He proceeded to welcome all the new and returning students. He wanted everyone to feel comfortable at Bramley, and to that end, he wanted to introduce this year's prefects. Gus and Ravi looked at each other as the principal read off the list of names. Each prefect stepped forward as their name was called. When the principal read the name of the one who had harassed both of them, they held their breath. His name was Jason Goodman.


"Some good man!" Gus sniggered to Ravi. "His last name should be Badman."


Ravi chuckled drawing a not amused glare from one of the teachers. "At least we know his name if we have to report him."


Gus raised an eyebrow. "I thought you said you wanted to stay out of his way."


"I do, but I might not be able to. I'm not exactly invisible."


The principal was finishing his presentation telling everyone that if they ever needed help, they had only to look for someone wearing the red tie of a prefect and they would be helped. Gus snorted at that comment. He would do his best to avoid the prefects with the red ties, especially one in particular.


Finally, the first day of school was over. Gus and Ravi went to their lockers which were close to each other in the hallway. Gus sorted through his books picking out the ones he needed for his homework. He stuffed the things he needed into his backpack. Ravi was doing the same thing when someone grabbed him by the scruff of the neck.


"Having a good day, kid?" Jason asked Ravi. Ravi tried to pull away but Jason was so much bigger and stronger that Ravi could do little to free himself. "I asked you a question," Jason stated through clenched teeth.


"It was all right," Ravi managed to get out.


"Only all right? Need anything to ease the tension?" Jason asked suggestively. Ravi shook his head. "Maybe tomorrow then," Jason said with a smirk. He dropped Ravi and headed down the hall.


Gus watched Jason disappear and then ran over to Ravi. In spite of his dark complexion, Ravi looked pale. "Why didn't you help me?" Ravi asked.


"What … what could I do?"


"I don't know, but something," Ravi said almost crying. "I thought you had my back."


"But…"


"Never mind," Ravi said gathering up his books. "I can stand it." He ran for the front door leaving Gus standing alone in the hall.


Gus shook his head. He should have done something, but what? He couldn't fight Jason. He couldn't make the bigger student let go of his friend. He was helpless just like Ravi was. Slowly Gus walked out of the school.


A horn honked and Gus saw Justin sitting in his rental car waiting for him. He walked over to the car.


"How was your first day?" Justin asked.


"All right," Gus said not wanting to talk about what had just happened. He watched Ravi get into his mother's car as they drove past. Ravi gave him a hurt look and then turned away.


"Are you okay?" Justin asked sensing something was wrong.


"I'm fine."


"Okay," Justin said but he didn't believe it for a minute.


They drove in silence for a bit.


"Where's Dad?" Gus asked.


"He had some work at the office so I said I would pick you up."


"Justin," Gus started.


"Yeah."


"Did you have bullies at St. James?"


"There are bullies everywhere."


"What … what did you do about them?"


"Not much. They're hard to deal with."


"Tell me about it."


"Gus, is someone bullying you?"


"Not exactly, but I made a friend today, and he got bullied after school." Gus didn't want to reveal the whole story.


"What did you do?"


"Nothing."


"And that makes you sad."


"I felt like I should do something, but I didn't know what."


"You can always report them."


"Yeah, and then they come after you even more when nothing really happens to them."


"Sometimes if you stand up to them, they back off," Justin said remembering his fight with Chris Hobbs. That had kept him away … for a while.


"I wish."


"It might be worth a try."


"I don't know."


"I'm sorry I'm not more help. Don't they have prefects that are supposed to help you?" Gus snorted. "Or there's always the principal."


"Yeah, I'll remember that," Gus said sarcastically.

 

They pulled into Britin and Gus knew he had no one to help him.

Chapter 31 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 31


Brian pulled into the Bramley lot the next morning. He was dropping Gus off before going into Kinnetik. Justin was going to take his rental car into Pittsburgh and start to tie up some loose ends in Europe. He and Brian had decided that they were going to live together at Britin with Gus. Justin needed to refocus his life back in the States. He also needed to talk to his mother. Neither he nor Brian wanted to waste any more time.


"Have a good day," Brian said as he pulled the Mercedes into a parking space outside Bramley.


"Yeah," Gus grunted.


Brian grabbed his son's arm. "What's going on, Gus?"


"Nothing."


"I don't believe it's nothing," Brian said flatly.


"It's nothing you can do anything about."


"How do you know I can't do anything, unless you tell me what's happening?"


"I need to go," Gus said opening the door. Nobody could help him.


"Gus, if you need me, just call."


Gus walked away from the car. He saw Ravi sitting on the steps up ahead. Ravi looked at him and then deliberately went back to reading the book he had on his lap. Gus changed direction knowing that Ravi no longer wanted to talk to him. So much for his one and only friend.


Brian watched Gus make his way across the yard. He knew something was terribly wrong, but he had no idea what it was. He waited to see if Gus joined up with any other students. But Gus merely went over to a tree and leaned against it … alone. Maybe the same thing was happening at Bramley that had happened in Toronto. Gus was again unable to make friends. Brian shook his head wondering how that could be. Gus was an intelligent, interesting kid. Why couldn't others see that?


Finally Brian put the car in gear and started out of the parking lot. He would talk to Justin about this, and give Gus till the end of the week before he stepped in. He had to do something, including taking Gus to his first appointment with Dr. Marla Feinstein. Brian had arranged it on Tuesday when he had received a call back from her office. He had been reluctant to tell Gus yet, but things seemed to be getting out of hand once again. Gus needed help.


Gus stood by the tree watching groups of kids talking and laughing. He wondered why he couldn't be one of them. He had thought briefly that maybe he and Ravi could have their own little group of friends but that dream had lasted barely one day. What was wrong with him? Why did people hate him, even assholes like Greg Fernley?


"Hey, kid," Jason Goodman's voice interrupted Gus' thoughts. "You look a little down. Need a pick-me-up?"


"No," Gus said defiantly. "I don't need anything from you."


"Suit yourself," Jason smirked. "You'll come running to me before long."


Gus watched Jason move away. He saw a packet of something change hands between Jason and another student. Gus wondered that no one else seemed to notice. He leaned against the tree feeling sorry for himself.


"Hey," a voice said beside him.


Gus jumped and turned to look. It was the nice prefect who had helped him find his homeroom the day before. "Hi," Gus replied.


"You look kind of lonely over here all by yourself."


"Do I?"


"My name's Tony. Is there anything I can do?"


Gus was tempted to spill the beans. Tony seemed so nice. "I don't think so," Gus said reluctantly.


"I'll be around if you want to talk."


"Thanks," Gus said. Tony was what a prefect was supposed to be, but he was probably a friend of that Jason's. Better not to say anything to anyone.


The bell rang and Gus made his way into the school. The day would pass with little contact with Ravi or anyone else. Gus felt so alone. He wished there was some way to fix things but he just didn't know how.


Justin sat outside Bramley waiting for Gus to come out. He recognized the red prefect ties that were in common use at many private schools. He wondered what the prefects at Bramley were like. Some of the ones at St. James had been nice but there were a couple who had used their position of power to their own advantage. Justin wondered if there were any like that at this school.


Justin waited expecting Gus to appear at any moment. He looked around the parking lot. Most of the kids had been picked up and there were only a few cars left. Justin wondered if something had happened to Gus. He was about to go into the school when he saw Gus emerge from the doorway. Gus seemed to be staring at something at the back of the parking lot. Justin turned and looked out the back window of his car. There was a red Mustang parked at the back of the lot. A prefect, by the color of his tie, was standing by the car talking to a couple of younger kids. Justin watched as a packet of something changed hands, from the prefect to the student. Money went the other way.


"Shit!" Justin said realizing what he was seeing. He looked up to see Gus heading towards the car. He kept glancing at the back of the parking lot. Justin couldn't help but wonder if Gus had made a similar deal like the one he had just seen go down.


"Dad working late again?" Gus asked as he threw his backpack into the back seat and got in beside Justin.


"Yeah."


Gus looked out the rear window as Justin backed out of his space.


"Do you know that kid?" Justin asked cocking his head towards the prefect.


"Sort of. He's a prefect."


"Is he nice?"


"Not particularly," Gus said.


"Oh, why not?"


"Um … I just don't like him very much."


Justin directed the car out onto the street and they drove home mostly in silence.


When Brian arrived home, Justin pulled him into the library. "I need to talk to you about Gus."


"What about Gus?"


"When I picked him up at school, I saw a drug deal taking place in the parking lot."


"Gus was buying drugs?"


"No, no."


"Gus was selling drugs?" The horror on Brian's face was evident.


"No, he wasn't doing anything. It was one of the prefects selling the drugs. Gus was just coming out of the school."


Brian let out a breath. "Then he wasn't involved."


"Not that time," Justin replied.


"What does that mean?"


"You know how funny Gus has been about going to school. Maybe he's been tempted to buy some drugs, or maybe he already has."


"Fuck!" Brian said running his hand through his hair.


"I know you don't want Gus to be involved in anything like that, but we need to talk to him about it."


"I guess so," Brian said slowly. "Maybe I should wait until he sees Dr. Feinstein."


"Have you told him about that yet?"


"No, I thought I'd talk to him after dinner."


"You better. The appointment's tomorrow after school, isn't it?" Justin asked.


"I'm no fucking good at this parent stuff," Brian replied, dropping down on the sofa. It seemed to be getting harder instead of easier the longer he had Gus with him.


"It's not your fault, Brian. We don't even know if Gus is involved in anything. I just thought you needed a heads up."


"Thanks," Brian said pulling Justin against his body. Things always seemed better when he had Justin to hold onto.


"We can wait until after Thursday to talk to Gus. Maybe you should mention it to the doctor. She wants to see both of you, doesn't she?"


"Yeah, maybe you should come too."


"I don't think so." Brian gave Justin a hurt look. "I just mean that the first session should be you and Gus. You can mention me, and if she wants to see me, I'll be happy to go."


"That's why I love you," Brian said initiating a toe-curling kiss that left them both breathless. "Is it bedtime yet?" Brian asked as he leaned his forehead against Justin's.


"It isn't even dinner time," Justin chuckled.


"Who needs food? All I want is a steady diet of you."


"Then lock the door, big guy. I think we have time before Mrs. Hadley calls us."


"I knew there was a reason I was waiting for you to come back," Brian grinned as he got up to lock the door to the library.


Upstairs Gus lay on his bed wondering how everything had got so screwed up so quickly, just when things seemed to be going good. He had made peace with his mother. She didn't hate him. He had made a friend at school, a school where he was getting a second chance, and then wham! Everything had gone to shit like it always did. It had to be him. He must have some fucking black cloud hanging over his head. Maybe someone had taped a sign on his back that said, "Loser" or "Kick Me, I Deserve It". There had to be something terrible that followed him around.


Gus wished he had asked Ravi for his phone number. He wanted to call and talk to him; he wanted to apologize. He wanted them to be friends. And most of all, he wanted Jason Goodman to leave them both the fuck alone.


Dinner was quiet with everyone kind of walking on eggshells about what to discuss. After dinner Brian told Gus that he wanted to speak to him in the library. Gus followed his father dreading what was to come.


"What's the problem at school, Gus?" Brian asked once they were seated on the sofa in the library.


"Problem?" Gus asked, avoiding really answering his father's question.


"I know something's wrong."


"N… nothing's wrong," Gus stammered.


Brian sighed. "Well, I told you that I was going to get you some help, and I have."


"W…what does that mean?"


"We have an appointment with a psychologist tomorrow after school."


"You think I'm crazy?" Gus asked in horror.


"No, Sonny Boy, I don't think you're crazy."


"Don't call me Sonny Boy, and I'm not crazy." Gus was starting to hyperventilate.


"Gus, calm down. This is for your own good."


"You have no idea what's for my good," Gus snarled. "I'm not going."


Gus went to stand up, but found his arm held tightly by his father. He sank back onto the sofa and Brian released him.


"You're going to see Dr. Feinstein tomorrow, and I'm going with you."


"You … You're coming too?" Gus asked in surprise.


"Yes, she wants to see us both."


"And you'll go with me?"


"That's what I said."


"Th…thanks," Gus said feeling tears start to well up. "Are you sure we have to go?" Gus asked trying to get out of this once more.


Brian nodded. "We're going, and Justin says he'll come the next time if the doctor wants to see him too."


"Really?"


"Gus, we only want what's best for you. Can't you tell me what's going on at school?"


"I should go do my homework," Gus said. Brian let him go. He couldn't force the kid to talk if he didn't want to. Maybe Dr. Feinstein could get something out of Gus.


Gus went up to his room. His computer would arrive tomorrow, but he wouldn't even be there to set it up. He had to go see this fucking doctor. His father must think there was something really wrong with him. It couldn't be cheap to see someone like that. What was wrong with him? Everybody seemed to know that something was. Maybe this doctor would put a name on it, and they would finally throw him into some kind of asylum, and conveniently lose the key.


+++++


The next day Brian dropped Gus off at Bramley, saying that he would be back promptly at 3:15 to pick him up for their appointment at 4 p.m. Gus grunted and got out of the car. Brian watched him walk up to the school. He was tempted to go in and talk to the principal, but maybe it would be better to wait until after their appointment with Dr. Feinstein. As Brian drove out of the parking lot, he wondered if he was really expecting Dr. Feinstein to solve Gus' problems or if he was merely avoiding meeting them head on. Something good better come out of that afternoon's appointment.


Gus was almost to the door of the school when he saw Ravi being dropped off by his mother. He was tempted to wave and try to make up with his former friend, but he saw Ravi glance quickly away when their eyes met. It didn't look like Ravi was ready to forgive him. The day just got better and better.


Gus went into the school and headed for the washrooms. He could hide out there until the bell rang. He pushed the door open and immediately regretted his choice of going in there. Jason Goodman was exchanging money and a packet of pot with some kid. They both jumped, and the kid ran out, brushing past Gus. Gus stood rooted to the spot.


"Come on in, kid," Jason grinned. "You need something?"


Gus shook his head, but he knew Jason was right. A little something to get him through the day was looking better and better.


"You sure?" Jason asked.


"I don't have any money," Gus admitted.


"I bet you could get it though. Your old man looks like he's loaded. And who's that blond guy that drops you off?"


"How…how do you know about Justin?"


"Justin, eh? I see everything. Is he your dad's boyfriend?" Jason joked.


Gus cringed. How could Jason have known?


Jason watched the look on Gus' face. He was right. The blond guy was the boyfriend. This kid's father was a fag. "So your old man's a fag! Well, fuck me!"


"He wouldn't dream of it," came out of Gus' mouth before he could stop himself.


"Why you…! Who the fuck do you think you are? You're probably a fucking fag too," Jason sneered. He advanced on Gus until he could glare down into Gus' face. Even though he wasn't much taller than Gus was, he seemed so much bigger, so menacing. "You know what, kid, I'm going to give you a break this time. It must be hard being the son of a pansy, so here's a little treat to help you deal with the trauma." Jason stuck a little vial in Gus' hand and then breezed out the door.


"Fuck!" Gus said as he slumped against the wall. Now the whole school would know his father was a fag, and he'd never hear the end of it. It would be worse than Toronto because these kids were older, and could make his life even more of a living hell.


Gus looked at the vial in his hand. It contained a little bit of white powder that he was sure must be cocaine. He should throw it in the toilet and flush it, but he knew he couldn't. He slipped it into his pocket as the bell went. He left the washroom to go to class.


Somehow Gus got through the day. He stayed to himself as he usually did and he didn't notice any snickering behind his back. Maybe Jason wasn't going to say anything about his father. As Gus was heading to his locker to leave school, Gus saw Ravi being pulled into the washroom by Jason. Gus held his breath wondering what he should do. He wanted to help Ravi, but he didn't know how he could. Then a thought struck him.


He dropped his books by his locker and marched down the hall. He pushed open the door to the washroom. Jason had Ravi backed up against a sink. "Ravi," Gus said, "Mr. Jennings wants to see you in his office immediately. He asked me to get you."


Jason backed away and Ravi scampered out of the washroom. Gus gave Jason a glance and then followed Ravi. He caught the smaller boy on his way to the office.


"Mr. Jennings doesn't want you," Gus said. "I just made that up. Grab your books and get out of the school."


"Th…thanks," Ravi said and ran out of the building.


Gus picked up his books from in front of his locker and grabbed what he would need to do his homework. He quickly followed Ravi out of the school as he saw Jason come out of the washroom.


Brian was waiting for his son. Gus came running over to the car.


"Are you that eager to see the good doctor?" Brian asked as Gus hopped into the car.


Gus had almost forgotten where they were going in his haste to get away from Jason. It had felt good to help his friend, Ravi. "No, not really," he admitted, coming back to reality.


"Well, we better get a move on," Brian said and gunned the Mercedes out of the parking lot. Jason watched them go from the door of the school.


Dr Feinstein turned out to be a very lovely woman in her early forties. She was obviously impressed with Brian, as he was with her. She got Gus to tell some of his early history and Brian filled in the parts that Gus seemed reluctant to reveal. It didn't take Dr. Marla, as she asked to be called, long to see what the problem was.


She saw an insecure boy who had never felt like he really belonged anywhere, raised in a very unconventional household over which he had no control until he got old enough and strong enough to assert himself in the worst possible way. She could see that he still didn't feel very secure about his place in his father's life, and she got the distinct impression that Gus felt he might be shoved out of that life at any moment.


When she had listened to enough to get these preliminary impressions, she decided it was time for some direct questions to Gus. She explained what she was going to do, and that she wanted Gus to answer each question quickly and directly, no beating around the bush or hiding things. She watched Gus shrink back when she told him this. She assured him that nothing would be held against him. She just wanted to see how he felt and reacted to certain issues.


Then she did a surprising thing. She asked Gus if he would like his father to wait outside while they did this. Gus nodded his head and dropped his eyes to the floor. He knew his father would be disappointed that Gus didn't want him there, but that was how he felt. Brian squeezed Gus' shoulder to let him know it was all right and left the room.


"Are you ashamed of your father, Gus?" she asked.


"Wh…what? No! I'm not ashamed of him. I think he's great."


"That's good. Then are you ashamed of your mothers?"


"No, not really, but it was hard growing up with two mothers."


"You blame them for what happened to you at school?"


"It wasn't their fault. I just … I never had any friends."


"Do you have any friends at your new school?"


"I sort of have one."


"How do you sort of have a friend?"


"I said I'd have his back and then I let something happen. I didn't help him."


"Why not?"


"I was afraid."


"Of what?"


"A bully."


"Someone's bullying you?"


Gus nodded. "But he bullies a lot of people."


"Like your friend?"


Gus nodded again. "But I helped him today." Gus looked up at the doctor.


"How did you help him, Gus?"


"I got him away from the bully."


"How did you do that?"


"I tricked the bully," Gus said proudly.


"I thought you were a pretty smart lad," Dr. Marla smiled. Gus smiled back at her. "Do you think that solved the problem?"


Gus' face fell. "Probably not."


"How can you solve it?"


Gus shook his head. "I don't think it can be solved."


"Sure it can. There's always a bigger bully than the bully."


"There is?"


"Like the authorities. What would happen if you reported this bully?"


"No one would believe me."


"How do you know?"


"No one ever believed me before."


"Can you get proof? Would Ravi back you up?"


"I don't know. Maybe."


"Gus, are you ashamed of yourself?"


Gus looked defiantly at the doctor and then his eyes filled with tears. "No one likes me. I can't make friends. People pick on me. There must be something terrible about me."


"I don't see anything terrible," Dr. Marla assured him. "I see a good looking, intelligent young man."


"I thought you might diagnose me with some kind of insanity and then they'd put me away in an asylum."


Dr. Marla tried not to laugh but a small chuckle escaped. "Gus, you're not insane. You've had some difficult things to deal with in your young life. You have nothing to be ashamed of, including your family. I've always found that if I stand up for myself, people usually back down."


"Yeah, but you're pretty."


"Thanks, Gus, and you're handsome, just like your father."


"You think so?"


"I do."


"Maybe I could try standing up for myself."


"I'd like to see that."


"So would I," Gus grinned.


"Just remember that it won't be easy."


"Yeah, I was afraid you were going to say that."


"I think that's enough for today. Do you think you could come back next week?"

 

"Yeah, I think so," Gus said. He kind of liked Dr. Marla.

Chapter 32 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 32


Brian and Gus drove home in silence. Brian was thinking about the words he had had with Dr. Marla after the session was over. Brian had sent Gus down to the car and he had asked to speak with Dr. Marla for a minute. He had broached the topic of drugs with her. She was quite adamant that she didn't think Gus was using. However, she had no doubt that he was having problems at school with some sort of bully. She told Brian her advice to Gus and then cautioned Brian that he would need to stand up for his son if things came to a head. Brian thanked her and arranged an appointment for the following week.


Gus was wondering at the fact that he actually liked the psychologist. He had had every intention of hating her, but she was kind and understanding. He could almost buy into her advice about standing up to Jason. He just wasn't sure that he could actually do it.


When they arrived at Britin, Mrs. Hadley met them at the door. "I have good news," she told them. "Steve called and your car will be ready tomorrow. And Gus, your computer is up in your room all set up and ready to go."


"Wow!" Gus said and tore up the stairs to use his new toy.


"I can pick up the Corvette tomorrow?" Brian asked.


"Yes, Steve said he was polishing her up for you, and she'd be ready any time tomorrow."


Brian smiled. "That's good." He had kind of missed the old car. He wanted to take Justin for a ride in her.


Gus booted up his computer. He quickly discovered that he didn't have internet access. He would have to talk to his father about that. He played some of the lame games that came with the computer, like Spider Solitaire. But he vowed that he would get some cool games as soon as he had some money.


After awhile, his father tapped on the door. "Gus, dinner is ready."


"Dad, how come I don't have internet?"


Brian grimaced. "I thought it would be better if you used the internet on my computer."


"So you can keep an eye on me?" Gus accused.


"Yeah," Brian admitted reluctantly.


"You think I'll be going to porn sites or something?"


"Or something."


"Dad, I'm not a kid. I can use the internet responsibly."


"I'm sure you can, but I think we'll keep it this way for now."


Gus made a face, but he could hardly argue when his father had bought him this great computer. "Can I get some decent computer games?"


"Like Grand Theft Auto?" Brian asked remembering the game he had seen in Gus' room in Toronto.


"Well, at least that wouldn't be as lame as Solitaire."


Brian snorted. "I'm sure we can find a game or two that we both approve of."


"Dad, um…"


"What is it, Gus?" Brian asked. He had a feeling this was something important.


"Could we talk for a minute?"


"Sure, what is it?"


"Dr. Marla asked me if I was ashamed of you," Gus said not quite sure how to get at what he wanted to say.


"And are you?"


"Shit, no! I think you're cool."


Brian smiled. "I think you're pretty cool too." He ruffled Gus' hair and they sat down on the edge of the bed.


"You … you're not going to send me away, are you?" Gus asked his face serious and his heart pounding. He really needed an answer.


"Why would you think I'd send you away"?


"My moms did when I got to be a handful."


Brian shook his head. "They thought that was the best thing to do. They were trying to help you."


"I guess I sort of knew that, but it seemed like they were giving up on me."


"I'm sorry it seemed that way, and I have no intention of giving up on you."


"I thought you might after I wrecked your car, but then you called Justin for me."


"I called Justin for you, and then he came back into my life. I can never thank you enough for that."


Gus smiled. "I like Justin a lot, and I'm glad that Greg is gone."


"Me too."


"But weren't you mad at me for wrecking your car?"


"I was too scared to be angry. I was afraid you were seriously hurt."


"If I hadn't been hurt, would you have been mad?"


"You better believe it," Brian admitted.


"What would you have done to me?"


"I … don't know. I might have grounded you. I might have made you do yard work to pay it off."


"But you have a gardener," Gus reminded Brian.


"He can always use slave labor," Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.


"Daaaaaad."


"If you ever do something like that again, count on working it off. I'm serious, Gus. That was not a smart thing you did."


"I know. I'm sorry."


"Good, then let's have some dinner before it's ruined."


"Dad," Gus said. He fingered the little vial that was still in the pocket of his school slacks.


"What?"


"Um … I better change into my home clothes," Gus said. "I'll be down in a couple of minutes."


Brian nodded and went downstairs. Gus let out a sigh. He wanted to tell his father about the drugs, but he was afraid. Even though Brian had said he wouldn't send Gus away, Gus didn't want to take the chance. Things could change in an instant. He knew that only too well. Feeling sad that he was such a coward, he got changed for dinner.


Dinner was over and Gus had gone back up to his room, supposedly to do homework, but Brian suspected that it was to play on his new computer. Brian and Justin were sitting in the library having a brandy.


"This is nice," Justin said. "We never did anything like this when we were together before."


"We were too busy rushing out to Woody's or Babylon. I was so busy with work."


"And I was screwing around with Ethan or the pink posse."


"Screwing the pink posse?" Brian asked raising an eyebrow.


"I could have," Justin admitted. "This one night Cody had a gun and he let me hold it. It was the first time I'd ever held a gun. It was heavy and it made me feel invincible."


"Did it make you hard?"


"Yeah," Justin admitted. "Cody stuck his hand down my jeans and starting jerking me off. I did the same for him."


"Good old Cody," Brian said ruefully. "Fucking asshole!"


"He was a fucking asshole. It just took me a while to figure it out. I did love the feeling of power that the posse gave me, though."


"Absolute power corrupts absolutely."


"I can see how that happens. You feel invincible, and anything you do is right."


"What else did you do?" Brian asked. He had always wondered what Justin got into on those nights he was out with Cody.


"Nothing I want to talk about," Justin said. He wasn't ready to tell Brian about Chris Hobbs. He wasn't sure he could ever admit how stupid he had been that night. How close he had come to shooting the motherfucker.


Brian wondered what Justin was thinking about but decided that it might be best to leave it until Justin was ready to tell him. "I'm gonna go check on Gus. He does have homework, and I don't want him wearing out the computer the first day."


Justin smiled as he watched Brian walk out of the library. Having Gus here had been good for Brian. He wondered if Gus' influence had helped change the man that Brian was becoming. Justin suspected that a lot of the change was the result of some pretty deep soul searching. Justin took another sip of his brandy just as the doorbell rang.


Justin jumped. In all the time he had been at Britin, he had never heard the doorbell before. He got up, knowing Brian was upstairs, and walked into the foyer. Mrs. Hadley was coming from the kitchen to answer it. "I'll get it," Justin called as he neared the door.


He opened the door coming face to face with Greg Fernley.


"What the fuck do you want?" Justin demanded.


"I want to see Brian."


"Well, Brian doesn't want to see you," Justin replied as he tried to close the door.


Greg stuck his foot in the door preventing Justin from closing it. "I want to see Brian," Greg spat out between clenched teeth. "Brian!" he yelled past Justin.


"Let him in, Justin," Brian said as he came down the stairs. "I have a few things to say to him too."


Gus peered around the wall at the top of the stairs. He had followed his father when they heard the disturbance from down below. He winced when he saw Greg Fernley again. He had hoped never to see that man. He waited to hear what his father would say.


Greg marched triumphantly past Justin. "I knew you'd see me. Who is this flunkie?" Greg demanded tipping his head towards Justin.


"Justin is my life partner," Brian stated with a smile towards Justin.


Justin almost choked. He had never heard Brian Kinney say anything like that in his whole life. Gus grinned.


"What kind of shit is that?" Greg demanded. "You invited me to live here with you."


"You mean that you manipulated me into agreeing to let you live here." Gus almost cried out a "Yes!" to his father's statement.


"Brian, how can you say that? I loved you and you loved me."


"I never loved you, Greg. Face facts. We were good in bed and that's all."


"What about him?" Greg asked looking towards Justin.


"I do love him, and he's great in bed," Brian stated proudly.


Greg looked from one to the other. "Well, fuck you both! I came here to give you a chance to take me back," he whined.


"Why the hell would I do that? What part of 'Get the fuck out!' didn't you understand?" Gus wanted to cheer.


"I don't see how you can be so cruel," Greg continued.


"It's not hard when you mean less than nothing to me," Brian stated seemingly unmoved by the reality of his cutting words. "I'll never forget the fact that you did nothing to help my son when he had that accident." Gus smiled.


Greg sucked in a breath. "You want to be like that? You'll be hearing from my lawyer." He turned on his heel and marched out the still open front door.


"Brian, does that mean he's going to sue you?"


Brian snorted. "For what? For giving him the best orgasms of his life? If he thinks he's going to get one red cent from me because he quit his job or thought he was going to live here, he's got another fucking think coming!"


"But he could cause trouble," Justin said with a frown.


"Let him try. He's less than the dirt on the bottom of my boot, and any court will see that in the first five minutes he's around."


"Are you sure?"


"Absolutely."


Justin took hold of the front door and closed it with a slam. He locked it just to be on the safe side. Gus smiled and went back to his room. It was great to see his father stand up for him, stand up for himself too.


"I don't think Greg will be back," Brian grinned at Justin's protective mode.


"He fucking better not be."


"Let's go to bed, Sunshine. I feel the need to lie down … with you."


"Me too," Justin smiled. They started up the stairs. "Did you really mean that life partner thing you said?"


"I always say what I mean," Brian said. Justin gave him an incredulous look. "Well, I meant it this time," Brian grinned.


"You are getting so lucky tonight," Justin said as he leaned over and kissed Brian.


"I'm counting on it. And every night from now on."


+++++


Gus lay on his bed wondering what would happen when he went to school the next day. He had a bad feeling about it. He had sort of helped Ravi, but Jason would likely harass him again. Gus felt like he had to do something. He fingered the little vial that Jason had given him.


Gus knew that he could use what was in the vial. He had seen enough of his "friends" in Toronto get high. They felt great … for a little while, but it never lasted. Gus had learned all about the fallacy of drugs, how they promised one thing and delivered another. That's why when drugs had come into his life, he had become the runner for one of the drug suppliers in his area. They paid him good money for delivering the drugs to the distributors. He was always scrupulously honest in his dealings, and they quickly learned to trust him. He made lots of money from his transactions, and he didn't have to take drugs or be directly responsible for others taking the drugs. He didn't like to think about that part of it. And his "boss" saw that he was protected. He didn't have to worry about bullies or pushers. He was above all that. When he had first worked out that arrangement, he had learned what power was and what it could do for you. He knew he would never have to be afraid again.


Except that he was. He had seen people OD and he had seen them get shot or stabbed when a deal went bad. He had seen them being taken off to juvey or to jail. He didn't want anything to do with jail. But he knew that what he did left him open to that very thing, and it scared him almost more than the bullies had. But once you were in, you were in to stay. The only thing that had saved him was his father bringing him here to Pittsburgh.


Gus stared at the little vial. It was an old trick used by the pushers. The first one is free, and the user likes it. It's gravy from then on, as people sold their souls for the next fix. Gus wondered if it was as great as his friends led him to believe. He had never tried any kind of drug. He knew that his father and probably his mothers did recreational drugs, but Gus wasn't sure that it would be recreational for him. He had this feeling that if he ever started, he would never be able to stop. He didn't like that feeling at all.


With a sigh, he flicked off his light and rolled over. He still clutched the vial in his hand. He wondered if he would be able to sleep. He dreaded the next day. Tomorrow would tell the tale about the rest of his life. He was sure of that.


In the master suite, Justin was riding Brian's cock for all he was worth. Even though they were older and more mature, their passion for each other was as unbridled as always. Each time Justin raised up, he would clench his anal muscles and elicit the most exquisite moan from Brian. Justin loved that sound. It had been far too long since he had done this, and he was going to milk it for all it was worth.


"Like that?" Justin asked as he slammed down on Brian's groin.


"Holy fucking shit! I love it. I love you!" Brian had his fists full of sheet and he was barely holding on. The urge to let his orgasm overtake him was so great, but he didn't want this to be over. He grunted and held on as Justin rose and fell over him.


"Now, Brian," Justin gasped as his own orgasm had him shooting all over Brian's chest.


With a mighty groan, Brian filled the condom and thrust up into Justin three or four times. When they were both finally spent, Justin collapsed on top of Brian. He felt Brian's softening dick slip out and he slid down Brian's chest feeling his own cum, slippery between them.


Justin let out a big sigh as Brian wiped Justin's sweaty forehead and held him close. He felt Brian shift a bit and strip off the condom. Brian pulled the sheet over them and held his lover, his ex-lover, his slutty little boy, his delicious manchild, his partner and his equal against his chest.


"I love you," he whispered against Justin's hair.


"I love you too. Do you think maybe we can get it right this time?"


"I'm going to do my very best to make it work."


"I like the sound of that, and I will too."


"That's my boy," Brian said with a smile.


"I'll always be your boy, won't I?"


"Unless you don't want me to call you that."


"I don't mind. It makes me feel like I did so long ago," Justin said eliciting a kiss from his partner. Justin snuggled down on Brian's chest again. He thought for a minute and then asked, "Why couldn't we have talked like this back then?"


"Neither one of us was ready. We were too…"


"Insecure?"


"Too inexperienced, was what I was going to say. But insecurity played a big part in it too."


"We wasted so much time," Justin sighed.


"Yeah, but look at where we are now."


"Exactly where we want to be," Justin smiled as he played with Brian's nipple.


"Exactly, and this time we both know it."


"Yeah, it feels good."


"Did you work out what you're going to do about Europe?" Brian asked hoping that Justin had cleared up any commitments over there.


"I'm going to have to make a trip back to pick up my belongings and clean out my apartment in Rome. Then it's all done. I cancelled everything else that I was supposed to be part of over there."


"When will you have to go?"


"In the next two weeks."


"Maybe we could make it a … honeymoon," Brian said feeling his cheeks get red. "Shit! I don't believe I just said that."


"I do, and I think that's a great idea. But, what about Gus?"


"Lindsay may be back here by then, or Mrs. Hadley will see that he's well looked after."


"But what about the trouble he's having at school?"


"I'm hoping with Dr. Marla's help, we can get this settled soon."


"And if you don't?" Justin asked.


"Then, we have our … honeymoon another time. I won't leave Gus if he needs me."


"You're such a good dad," Justin said and raised his head to kiss Brian.


"I hope so. I want him to have a better childhood than I had. And so far, that hasn't happened."


"It's not your fault."


"If I had been more insistent about being in his life, things would have been better."


"You can't know that."


"I had a few words with Dr. Marla after our session. She wants me to be there for Gus right now. She said I have to stand up for him. That's what I should have done years ago."


"And you will," Justin stated. "And I'll be right there beside you."


"Can I count on you?"


"You know you can."

 

"I love you," Brian whispered once again. He wondered at saying it so often to the man he loved. He should have said it long ago, and not just when an explosion made him think he was going to lose everything.

Chapter 33 by Thyme

Wild Child


Chapter 33


"Gus, what's wrong?"


Gus sat in his father's car in the parking lot at Bramley. He knew something bad was going to happen today. He just didn't know what it was. But he knew it would involve Jason Goodman, and what he had decided to do about Jason.


"It's nothing," Gus said as he opened the car door.


"If something happens or you don't feel well, call my cell or call Justin. Okay?"


"Okay, Dad, I love you."


"I love you too, Sonny Boy."


Gus closed the car door, and Brian realized that Gus hadn't protested when he called him Sonny Boy. Something was going on only he didn't know what it was.


Brian drove out of the lot. He had already decided that he wasn't going in to Kinnetik. He was going back to Britin, getting Justin and they were going to pick up the Corvette. He was excited to see if Steve really had been able to resurrect the old car. He would take Justin for a ride in it. Brian smiled to himself putting his worries about Gus out of his head.


Gus made his way into the building when the bell went. He hadn't seen Ravi and wondered if he had come to school today. Maybe he was going to quit Bramley after the way Jason Goodman had treated him. He got his books and headed for the first class. There was still no sign of Ravi.


In his third class of the morning, Gus was just taking his seat when Ravi walked in. He smiled at Gus and sat down beside him. "Hi," Ravi said.


"You're not mad at me anymore?" Gus asked with his own smile.


"Thanks for getting me away from Jason yesterday," Ravi said.


"I wish I could have done more. He'll still be after us today."


"I know," Ravi replied, his face falling.


The teacher started the lesson and there was no more time to talk. At lunch Ravi and Gus sat together. Ravi said he'd been to a dental appointment in the morning. That's why he had been late. Gus told him about his new computer. They finally exchanged phone numbers and e-mail addresses. During lunch, they saw nothing of Jason and each of them was glad of that fact.


As lunch ended and the boys were heading outside, they saw Jason sticking something that looked like bags of pot into his locker.


"He must be getting ready to sell for the weekend," Gus said to Ravi. The weekend was always the most lucrative time. He knew that from personal experience.


They quickly escaped outside for some air until the afternoon classes started. They were standing in the shade of one of the big trees when Jason Goodman grabbed Ravi from behind and pulled him around the tree, shoving the small boy up against it. Gus heard the sound of Ravi's head hitting the tree, and felt sick to his stomach. He stared for a moment and then started to run away. He heard Ravi call his name, but he kept on going.


Gus ran smack into Tony, the nice prefect. "Hey, what's wrong?" Tony asked.


"Jason's got Ravi and he threw him against a tree. I have to get the principal," Gus gasped.


"Go to the office. I'll go help Ravi," Tony said.


Gus looked at Tony in disbelief. The prefect seemed to have believed him, and more than that was going to help. Gus ran to the office as quickly as he could. The secretary didn't want to let Gus in to see the principal, who was apparently having lunch in his office. When she refused his repeated pleas, Gus decided to take matters into his own hands. He quickly dashed around the counter and ran to the principal's door.


He pushed it open and yelled, "There's a prefect picking on one of your younger students. You need to help him." Gus stood panting in the doorway as he stared at Mr. Jennings.


"What do you mean, Gus?" Mr. Jennings asked as he stood up from behind his desk.


"Please, you have to come with me. It's Ravi. Jason's hurting him."


"Jason?" Mr. Jennings asked, but he hurried around his desk and followed Gus outside.


When they got to the tree, Tony and Jason were wrestling with each other. A scared Ravi was standing nearby and some of the students were chanting, "Fight, fight, fight!"


"Enough!" Mr. Jennings yelled and the students fell silent. "What is going on here?" he demanded.


"He attacked me," Jason yelled, pointing his finger at Tony.


"That's a lie," Tony retorted. "I told him to leave the little guy alone."


"What little guy?" Mr. Jennings asked.


Everyone turned and looked at Ravi. Ravi went pale and didn't know what to say.


"Jason was harassing Ravi," Gus said stepping forward. "That's why I came to get you."


"What do you mean by harassing?" Mr. Jennings asked.


"He threatens Ravi all the time. He tells him that his kind isn't wanted here," Gus blurted out.


"Is that true, Ravi?" Mr. Jennings asked.


Ravi looked scared, but he nodded his head "yes". Gus let out a sigh of relief that his story was being corroborated. He had been afraid that Ravi might be too scared to admit what had happened. He knew Ravi's parents didn't want him to cause any trouble.


"He had Ravi shoved up against the tree and was menacing him when I got here," Tony added.


"Let's take this inside," Mr. Jennings said, remembering that most of the school was listening to all this. "Office, now!" he ordered.


"You're going to be so sorry," Jason muttered to Gus. He spat out the words, but not loud enough for anyone else to hear.


"Don't be so sure," Gus said with more bravado than he really felt.


Once inside the school, Mr. Jennings sat them all down in various corners of the office. "They are not to speak to each other," he said to the secretary. "Call me if they do." He glared at each person letting them know that he would brook no nonsense. "Jason, come into my office."


Gus felt his courage sink. Mr. Jennings was starting with Jason. Gus could only imagine what kind of story Jason would come up with. The rest of them would likely be at fault, according to Jason anyway, and they would end up trying to defend themselves. What had he done?


Gus looked over at Ravi, who looked scared to death. He tried to smile at the smaller boy, and he mouthed, "It'll be all right."


Ravi shook his head and shrank even lower in his seat.


After what seemed like an eternity, Jason came out of the principal's office and took his seat at one side of the room. He looked smugly at Gus, and Gus knew that he had come up with some cock and bull story that the principal had believed.


"Tony, I'll see you next," Mr. Jennings said.


Tony got up, gave a look to Gus, and then passed by Jason on his way into the principal's office. Jason smirked as Tony went by. Gus had a very bad feeling about this.


"Ms Hardy," Jason said to the secretary a few minutes later, "I need to use the washroom."


Ms Hardy looked uncertain, but then nodded. Jason went to the office door. "Don't be long," she said. Jason disappeared out the door.


After a couple of minutes, Tony and Mr. Jennings came out of the office. "Sit down," Mr. Jennings said to Tony, who looked slightly shaken. "Where's Jason?" he demanded looking around the office.


"He had to use the facilities," Ms Hardy replied.


"He wasn't to be out of your sight," Mr. Jennings scowled and headed out to the hall. "No one else goes anywhere."


After a minute, Jason reappeared followed by Mr. Jennings. He sat down in his chair with a little smirk. Gus couldn't help but think of that same look on Greg Fernley's face when he had got Brian to do something that Gus didn't want him to do.


"Ravi, come in, please. No one else moves." Mr. Jennings glared at each of the other three culprits. He and Ravi disappeared into the office.


Gus shifted uncomfortably in his chair. He wondered why he was the last one to be interrogated. It was probably because of his record up in Toronto. Somehow this was going to end up being his fault. He just knew it. But he wasn't going down without a fight. He would do his very best to take Jason Goodman with him. Gus glanced over at Jason who sat serenely on his chair with his head back and his eyes closed. Gus scowled, but underneath it all, he was very worried.


Finally the door to Mr. Jennings office opened and Ravi and the principal came out. Ravi looked somewhat ashen and didn't even glance at Gus.


"Call their parents, all of them," Mr. Jennings told the secretary. He did not seem pleased with what he was hearing. "Gus, come into my office."


Reluctantly Gus followed the principal into his office. "Sit down," Mr. Jennings ordered. "Let's hear what you have to say for yourself."


"Um … I'm not sure what … what you mean," Gus stammered.


"Why did you come and get me?"


"Because Jason was picking on Ravi, and I wanted it stopped."


"And what would you say if I told you that both Jason and Ravi deny that any such thing was happening?" Mr. Jennings asked. He sat behind his big desk, his fingers tented and waited for Gus to answer.


Gus felt the color drain from his face. Ravi hadn't backed him up. He didn't want to cause trouble, so he had let Jason off the hook. And by doing that, he had effectively screwed his friend. Gus took a deep breath. "If Ravi said that, it's because he doesn't want to cause trouble. His parents don't want him to make waves here."


Mr. Jennings stared at Gus. After a minute he said, "Tell me about Jason."


"What about Jason?" Gus said frowning. He felt like he was being sucked into something without any idea of where it was going to take him.


"You don't like Jason, do you?"


"No."


"Why not?"


"He … he's not very nice."


"In what way?"


Gus sucked in a breath and debated what to say. He could just say that he didn't like Jason and that the prefect picked on smaller kids. That would probably cause the least trouble, but then nothing would change, and they would have to put up with Jason's harassment for the rest of the year. Or, he could tell the truth of what he knew about Jason and stand up for himself and Ravi and all the kids that Jason bullied. He could also spill the beans about the drugs. Gus felt the little vial which he had put in his pocket that morning. He remembered what Dr. Marla had told him about standing up for himself. He also remembered how his father had stood up to Greg the night before. He made his decision.


"Jason is a bully. He picks on the smaller kids, and anyone who's different, like Ravi."


"You mean he's prejudiced?"


Gus nodded. "And … he … he…"


"What, Gus?" Mr. Jennings said in a gentle voice. "You might as well tell me it all."


"He gave me this," Gus said and held out the vial of coke which he had retrieved from his pocket.


"Is that…?" Mr. Jennings asked holding out his hand to take the vial.


"Cocaine, I think," Gus said.


"Why would Jason give you this?" Mr. Jennings frowned.


"It's an old trick. The first one's free, and then you pay through the nose once you're hooked."


"And are you hooked?" Mr. Jennings asked pointedly.


"No," Gus said emphatically. "I haven't even opened it."


"How do you know all this?"


"I had some bad experiences in Toronto," Gus admitted.


"But you haven't touched drugs here at Bramley?"


"No, but I've seen Jason selling to other kids."


"But … he's a prefect," Mr. Jennings said looking like his world had suddenly been tossed upside down. There were drugs at Bramley, and apparently many students were involved, maybe one of his prefects.


"There are good prefects and bad ones," Gus said thinking about what Justin had told him about St. James.


"So it seems," Mr. Jennings said with a frown. "Are you sure about all of this?"


"Yes, and I saw Jason putting packets of pot in his locker this morning," Gus said deciding that now was the time for everything to come out.


"Is that right?" Mr. Jennings asked raising an eyebrow. "So, if we went to Jason's locker right now, we should find marijuana inside, packets ready to be sold?" Gus nodded. "And what would we find in your locker?" Mr. Jennings asked staring at Gus.


"Huh?" Gus asked.


"I said, 'What would I find in your locker?'"


"My books and stuff," Gus said suddenly feeling like he wanted to throw up.


"Jason tells me that you and Ravi are the ones selling drugs, and that he was trying to make you both stop. That's why he was threatening Ravi."


"That's a total lie. It's Jason that's selling." Gus felt his heart start to pound.


"So if we go to your locker, there won't be any drugs inside?"


"There … there shouldn't be."


"You don't sound very sure of that."


"I'm not selling drugs," Gus stated emphatically, but he had a sinking feeling about what Jason might have been doing when he went to the restroom.


"Then let's open your locker," Mr. Jennings said.


"I … I don't know," Gus stammered.


"If you aren't selling then there should be no problem."


"Then open Jason's too," Gus said defiantly.


Mr. Jennings looked at Gus wondering just what he was dealing with. The buzzer on the phone rang and Mr. Jennings picked it up. "I see," he said. "I'll be right out. Your father is here, and so are the other parents."


Gus followed Mr. Jennings to the outer office. He saw his father and Justin, both looking worried, standing amidst several other adults, two of which had to be Ravi's parents. They were all on the outside of the office counter. Jason, Ravi and Tony were still sitting in their assigned chairs behind the counter.


"What's the meaning of this?" demanded a big man.


"Mr. Goodman, I'm trying to get to the bottom of some very serious accusations," Mr. Jennings started to explain.


"What does that have to so with my son? He's a prefect!" Mr. Goodman demanded.


"I need to have each student go to their locker and open it," Mr. Jennings said. "Do I have your permission?" He looked pointedly at all the parents. They looked confused but nodded, giving their permission.


Mr. Jennings led them all out to the hall. Tony's locker was first. He opened it and Mr. Jennings found a few packets of pot after a brief examination. Tony looked horrified and started to explain that he had no idea where it came from. "Silence!" Mr. Jennings ordered. He stepped to the office door. "Call the police," he told Ms Hardy, who looked terrified. "Jason, open your locker," he commanded.


With a smirk, Jason opened his locker. Nothing of interest was found.


"See, I told you," his father protested.


"Please, be quiet until this is completed," Mr. Jennings said. "Ravi, open your locker," he ordered as they moved down the hall. Gus held his breath. He almost knew what the principal was going to find. Sure enough, Mr. Jennings pulled out some more packets of pot. Ravi's parents looked mortified, and Gus could see tears start down Ravi's face.


Brian and Justin looked at Gus. Gus walked determinedly to his locker and opened it. He already knew what was inside. Jason had obviously planted the pot from his locker in theirs when he supposedly went to the washroom. Gus wondered how he had been able to get into their lockers. But it really didn't matter. They were all doomed. Jason was going to win. He'd get off scot free and they'd be the ones in trouble. Sure enough, Mr. Jennings pulled out the largest amount of pot from Gus' locker.


"I guess we have our answer," Mr. Jennings said. "I guess I shouldn't have made an exception for you, Gus. I thought you wanted a fresh start, and I tried to give you one. You've let us all down."


"But," Gus began. "This isn't mine or Ravi's or Tony's. It's Jason's pot. I saw him put it in his locker this morning." He looked at Brian who was visibly upset. Gus hated that his father thought that he had let him down once again.


"Then how did it get in your lockers?" Mr. Jennings asked pointedly.


Gus looked at the floor. He really didn't have an answer as to how Jason had worked the switch.


"My son is not doing drugs," Brian said stepping forward. "He is not selling drugs."


Gus smiled wanly at his father. It was good to have Brian defend him. "It's not my stuff, Dad."


"I know, Gus."


"You may believe that, Mr. Kinney, but the evidence says otherwise."


"Then the evidence is wrong!" Brian stated.


"Mr. Jennings," Tony interrupted. "Jason has a list of lockers and combinations."


"I do not!" Jason hastily interjected.


"Yes, he does," Tony argued. "He showed it to me when he was planning to sabotage some of the lockers by filling them with oatmeal or jello or sauerkraut or something else disgusting. He thought he'd get rid of some of the kids that he didn't think belonged here at Bramley. Ravi's locker was one of the ones he was planning to do."


"That's a lie!" Jason replied suddenly looking frightened. "Shut up!"


"I don't have to shut up," Tony replied. "I'm sick of all your schemes, and God knows what else you're involved in. You think you run this damn school!"


"I run this school," Mr. Jennings said, although he felt like he had really lost control.


"Mr. Jennings," Justin said stepping forward. "I think I saw Jason dealing drugs out of the trunk of his car one night after school."


"What?" Mr. Jennings reacted.


"That's a fucking lie!" Jason yelled. The blood vessel in his temple looked like it was about to pop.


"There's one way to find out. Let's look in the car," Justin said reasonably.


"No!" Jason stated. He looked pleadingly at his father.


Mr. Goodman looked stunned, but had to back up his son. "I don't see why Jason should have to open his car when these boys are the ones that have the drugs."


"Perhaps the police can convince him otherwise," Mr. Jennings said as two officers walked down the hall towards them. Mr. Jennings walked over to them to explain the situation.


Each of the parents moved to be beside their child.


"Are you all right, Gus?" Brian asked.


"I'm scared, Dad. Those drugs aren't mine. I swear!"


"I believe you," Brian said giving his son a hug.


"Jason," one of the officers said. "You can open your car voluntarily or we'll pry it open for you."


"You can't do that!" Jason's father protested.


"We have probable cause, and a witness who says he saw your son selling drugs." The officer looked at Justin who nodded.


"That guy! He's a fag … and a liar!" Jason yelled.


"He's my father's partner and he is not a liar," Gus retorted.


"Let's go, son," Mr. Goodman said realizing that they were beat. He dreaded what might be found in Jason's car.


Some time later, Brian, Justin and Gus walked out the front door of Bramley Hall. Brian had one arm around Gus' shoulder and a big smile on his face. The other arm was around Justin's shoulder. They all looked relieved and excited.


"I think it's time to go home," Brian stated.


"Thanks for sticking up for me," Gus said. "I didn't think anybody would believe me."


"I'll always believe you, Gus," Brian said. "You haven't lied to me yet, and I hope you never will."


Gus grinned and shook his head. He knew he would never lie to his father, at least he would try never to do that. "And thanks to Justin for thinking about what we had seen in the parking lot."


"You're welcome," Justin smiled.


"I have one smart partner," Brian said kissing Justin's cheek.


"I'm glad it turned out the way it did," Gus said. "I thought for a while that I was going to get blamed for everything."


"They found enough drugs in Jason's car to make it clear who the dealer was," Justin replied.


As they reached the parking lot, Gus looked up to see the Corvette parked in one of the visitor spots. "It's fixed!" he said. "Does it work all right?"


"Better than ever," Brian smiled.


"Your dad had just taken me for a ride in the revitalized Corvette when we got the call to come to the school," Justin explained. "Do you want to drive with your dad and I'll bring the Mercedes?"


"Sure," Gus said.


"Gus," a voice called. It was Ravi and his parents who were just coming out of the school. "Thanks for trying to help me. Maybe Jason won't be back at Bramley to bother us anymore," he added.


"I hope so," Gus said.


"We'd like to thank you too, Gus," Ravi's father said holding out his hand to shake Gus'.


"That's okay," Gus said shaking the proffered hand. "Friends stick up for each other, right, Ravi?" Ravi nodded. "Oh, Mr. and Mrs. Anand, this is my father, Brian Kinney, and his partner, Justin Taylor."


"Nice to meet you," said the Anands. They all shook hands. "Perhaps you could come over to our house this weekend, Gus. Maybe you and Ravi would like to play together?"


Ravi and Gus exchanged exasperated looks. They were too old to play, but parents never understood that.


"Yeah, we could hang out," Gus said. "Call me, Ravi." The Anands walked away to their car.


Just then Tony came out of the school with his parents. He waved and gave a thumbs up to Gus, who returned the gesture.


"Looks like you've made some friends, Gus," Brian said.


"Looks like," Gus grinned.


"Then I think we should head home and have some quality family time together," Brian stated with a straight face.


"Huh?" Gus and Justin reacted. "Who are you?" they both asked at the same time.


"I'm Brian fucking Kinney, and I am the luckiest man alive."


"You got that right," Justin said as he kissed Brian's cheek.


"I'm glad you think so, Dad," Gus said as he kissed Brian's other cheek.


"I know so," Brian smiled. His world had never looked brighter. "Let's go, men."

 

Gus got into the Corvette with his father. The Anands waved as they drove past in their car. Justin walked over to the Mercedes. He stopped and looked at Brian and Gus who were laughing together as Brian started the Corvette. It was good to be home, to really have a home and a family … with Brian and Gus. This was everything he had ever wanted, and now finally it was what Brian wanted too. They were a family in all the ways that mattered. He started up the Mercedes and followed his partner out of the school. It really was time to go home.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1452