What Ever Happened to Baby Brian by SLHR
Summary:

This is a continuation of my short story Independence Day. Brian and Claire were raised by Vic after their mother killed their father and herself. 


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney
Tags: 4th of July
Genres: Alternate Universe
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 12555 Read: 5289 Published: Jul 04, 2019 Updated: Aug 06, 2019
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. The Fourth by SLHR

2. Brothers and Sisters by SLHR

3. Dining Wrong by SLHR

4. Fireworks by SLHR

5. Bad to Worse by SLHR

6. First Stop by SLHR

The Fourth by SLHR

 

 

This whole thing was to cheer his dad up. After Curt, his dad’s alcoholic ex, his dad needed to find someone even if it was just for a night or two. Brian knew he would never get tied down to someone, but his dad wanted that kind of relationship. Over twenty years ago his father put his life on hold, his aspirations on hold just to take care of Brian and his older sister Claire. When he was eight his biological mother set their house on fire with her and his drunk father inside. Brian and Claire had been at the fair, having the time of their lives. Vic, the dad that they chose, took them with no problem. The cops seemed not to won’t to deal with them.

Vic Grassi never adopted them, he was too afraid that people would start looking too much into it and their house of lies would crumble. He didn’t need to adopt them though; he was the only dad they needed. Both missed their mother, but she got away from their other father the only way she could, he guessed.

He graduated top of his class in high school. Had his pick of any college he wanted. All he wanted since he was a teenager was to get out of the Pitts and start his life. But his senior year, they were dealt another blow, his dad’s routine blood test came back. He was positive for HIV. It had hit all of them very hard, his dad didn’t even want to live. It didn’t feel right to leave. So, he chose Carnegie Mellon instead of Stanford, which was his school of choice.

After that, Brian swore he would always be safe, no matter who he was with. His dad had been with the ‘Infector’ for a few years when he found out he was sick. Turns out the guy was screwing everything that moved without a condom. Brian would never let someone snow him over with pretty words and declarations.

The only good thing was his dad had a great job with a company he helped get off the ground and had great insurance. Without it, it would have been bad. He remembered his dad working through the bad days and the even worse days, just so he could make it to early retirement with his pension in place.

When Brian graduated college, he accepted a job at the ad-agency that he interned in, Ryder. Since then life had been mostly good, he got his loft and everything he ever wanted. Five years ago, his sister went to Australia for vacation and came back pregnant. The one thing that worried him about it, she never spoke about the father. Anytime anyone would ask she would look like she was close to tears. Aunt Deb said that there could be many reasons why but some of them were horrible to think about. Someone forcing themselves on her, he knew she considered abortion but just couldn’t go through with it. Now their family included his niece, Polly. Only his sister would name her daughter Pollyanna Victoria Grassi. Claire wanted Dad’s name, so she changed it to Grassi at eighteen. Brian didn’t like change.

Last year his best friend from college gave birth a baby boy. She begged to use his sperm, he finally relented, even though he hated her partner. In fact, it was just after his son was born when Curt broke his father’s heart, even worse than the ‘infector’ did. Brian knew his dad and aunt always wanted to take a long cruise. When he told them, he was sending them both, they told him they would only go if everyone else went. That was a pain to organize, thankfully he had Ted do it. Ted paid for himself and Emmett to go. Brian paid for himself, his dad and his aunt Deb. Claire was paying for her, Polly and her babysitter. His cousin Mikey and his boyfriend David were going on David’s tab. Mikey and he never really got along. Lindsay, Mel and his son Gus were going too.

That pretty much led him to where he was now, on a plane heading to South Carolina. He told everyone he had some work thing and would barely make it in time. That was the truth, but he didn’t try to pass the work off. He was going to be stuck on a ship with his family for fourteen days, there was no way he was getting stuck on a plane with everyone.

He listened to his music and shut out the world because he knew it would be the last time, he got to himself for the next two weeks.

 

“Brian, you’re late,” Debbie admonished him.

“The ship is still docked; you’re still waiting for them to let you up. I made it in time.” He saw Mikey glare at him for daring to talk to his mother that way.

Mikey has always been a jealous little thing, has been since the first day he met him. Brian came out when he was thirteen, not that it was a big deal. Mikey though waited until he was seventeen and somehow blamed his hiding on Brian. They had both been raised by the centerfold for accepting parents.

“Uncle Brian, can I sit on your shoulders to see the ship?” Polly asked. She was just like her name; you had never met a bigger Pollyanna than his niece.

“Not right now, Bug.” He grinned when his sister scowled at him. “Don’t scowl, it’s gives you crow’s feet.”

“I wish you wouldn’t call her bug. You’ll give her a complex.”

“She was the one to eat a bug.”

“She was two. We’ll see what Gus does in a year.”

“He’ll eat regular food, no bugs for him.”

“It was yummy Uncle Brian; I still feel it moving in my tummy.”

Brian just looked at his sister, waiting for her to explode. She has this little vein on her forehead that bulges. It’s always amusing to watch. “Just put her on your shoulders Brian.”

He did, not because she asked but because Polly pissed her off. He had a good relationship with his sister but what fun was it not to piss her off.

“I hope she’s still not having accidents,” Debbie guffawed. Brian rolled his eyes; Polly had been potty-trained since she was two.

“Daddy, when can we play?” a little girl of about eight or nine asked her father. Brian hadn’t been paying attention to the people around them until now.

The family was the girl, her father and mother. The mother looked worried while the father looked pissed. “When we board, just wait patiently.”

“Where is he, Craig? He should have been here by now,” the blonde mother said.

“He’s an adult now, Jennifer. He said he would be here. Either he will or won’t. You can’t keep babying him.”

“It’s just been so long since I’ve spent time with him. Why you pushed him into going to Dartmouth I don’t know. You know he wanted to go to PIFA.”

“No child of mine is going to some fag, hippie school for drawing pictures.”

Brian felt everyone in his group turn as one to this man. Brian had already been facing them, but he wasn’t as shocked as the rest. Most of his family rarely left Liberty Avenue. He could almost feel the heat coming off his aunt, who was straight but pretty damn gay. How could she not be, she ended up with a gay brother, son and nephew.

“Please, people will hear you,” the woman said quietly but they all heard. Her face was red with embarrassment.

Before anything else could be said a cute girl with dark skin and curly hair joined the family.

“Daphne, oh thank goodness, I was worried you two wouldn’t get here on time,” the woman said, hugging the girl who looked about eighteen.

“We made it. Justin is tearing the car apart looking for his passport.”

“That boy, he would lose his head if it wasn’t attached,” the mother said, smiling a little.

 

 

Justin couldn’t believe his idiocy; he was supposed to be smarter than this. Losing his passport in Daphne’s car, idiot. He had finally found it, in his bag. Freaking idiot. He rushed to make sure he got on the ship, his luggage on wheels behind him. At least he should be able to act like he just finished his first year at Dartmouth, a year early at that. With Chris Hobbs insults and bullying reaching a fever pitch, he doubled up his classes junior year. He was able to get out of there a year before anyone else. He hated Dartmouth but at least he was away from his family. He was free to be himself, he just wished himself wasn’t such a coward. Every guy that’s come on to him, he ran away from like a kid. He flirted with a few guys but nothing more.

When his parents had suggested this cruise, he was skeptical to say the least. He had come out and his father agreed only to pay for school if he went to Dartmouth, not PIFA, his first choice. He was to never bring a guy home and basically never talk about his personal life.

Daphne had finished St. James early too and accepted Dartmouth even though she wanted to go to Carnegie Melon.

The whole situation with Daphne and his parents was so fucked up. They knew that he was gay. They knew she was his best friend and that was all she would ever be…besides one very awkward night months ago. But somehow, they decided to ignore that and delude themselves they were dating. He had gotten so tired of correcting them; he just gave up. Let the think what they will, it doesn’t change anything. They were sharing a room, but they had been sleeping over with each other regular since they were six years old.

He stepped to the very back of the queue. He didn’t see Daphne, but she was way ahead of him, he wanted to make sure one of them got on the ship. He was behind an older man and woman. He tried not to eavesdrop, but it was so hard this close.

“It’s going to be a good trip, I wish you would calm down,” the woman said.

“That’s alright for you to say but what if I lose my medication while here. My doctor will be an ocean away.

“Rodney, I know your worried, but this is supposed to be relaxing. And if anyone deserves it, it’s you. This year has been hard on both of us. Tom leaving me, you getting diagnosed. We need this.”

“I know, I just wish it wasn’t these circumstances. Remember when we talked about doing this when the kids were young?”

“We had to be parents then, now we’re empty nesters.” She wrapped her arm around him. It seemed they were exes but had a good relationship, that made Justin smile.

He hoped this cruise brought his family closer, or at least where they could stand to be in the same room together. He also wouldn’t mind if he found a tall, gorgeous guy to spend it with. Today being the Fourth of July, he hoped he might get some fireworks with someone on his first night on the ship.

 

 

 

Brothers and Sisters by SLHR
Author's Notes:

I'm still working on next chapter of Killing Brian Kinney. I just seemed to be blocked on the next chapter, I have half of it written but just finding trouble getting past it. 

 

 

 

“No fair, your room is better than mine,” Claire whined.

She had left Polly with their aunt while she came to pester him. It was her specialty.

“It cost more than yours too. You didn’t think I would be slumming it like the rest of you, did you?” He smirked at her. His dad and aunt didn’t want him to spend too much on them, so he got them a shared cabin, their choice. Sometimes their relationship was kind of scary. “Hey, get your fat ass off my bed.”

“At least I have an ass. You must be such a disappointment to all the men you take home. Do they know it’s your underwear that give you shape not what God gave you?”

“You will play for that,” he said, pulling her off his bed.

She screamed; she always did. “I’m telling on you.”

“What are you six? Anyway, Dad’s in his own cabin, he can’t save you now.” He went to push her towards the door, she suddenly grabbed wrist and yanked it down.

“I’ll break it, then you won’t have any fun all by yourself.”

“Oh, you’re going to tell on me. Big baby, fine get out of my room.” He let go stepping back, pointing towards the door.

“Fine. You are going to watch Polly tonight, aren’t you?”

“It’s the first fucking night and you’re already trying to pawn you kid off on me?”

“Pride. Gay Dayz at Babylon. King of Babylon. Leather and Leather at the Meathook. All the times you pawned your kid off on me when he was supposed to be with you.”

“Fine, it’s a straight cruise anyway, not like there are a lot of options. Why they wanted this ship, I don’t know.”

“It’s the best casino cruise this side of the world. You know how much they love to gamble. Which reminds me…guess who called me this morning.”

“A nun looking for her clothes?”

“Brat. No, Curt.”

Brian narrowed his eyes. “What did that fucker want?” He had seen the bruises on his dad after the breakup. He could tell he was ashamed.

“One of dad’s friends told him about the cruise. He tried to get a last-minute booking, thankfully that didn’t happen. He wants Dad back.” Even with as horrible as Curt had been to their father, they both were sure he would take him back; he was always worried he would die alone. Suddenly, Claire smirked, that was never good.

“What? I don’t like that face…obviously.”

She hit him in the shoulder, she hit pretty hard…for a straight girl. “I was just thinking, what if we find Dad a guy on this trip.”

“Wasn’t that the plan already?”

“No, your plan was to get him laid, which he doesn’t need.”

“Says the woman who’s trying to become a virgin again.”

“Get off of it, Brian. Not everyone thinks about sex all the time.”

“Yeah, women, one reason I don’t want them.”

“That and the thought of sex with a woman makes you sick.”

He shivered at the memory of the experimenting he had done in college. His dad and aunt were bad influences, drinking with one’s sibling should never happen, some secrets should stay that way.

“Alright, go away, I’ll get Bug after dinner.”

“Thanks, Brian.” Something about the way she said it made him look at her, really look at her. It was then he notices how drawn and tired her face was. Not only that, she looked worried.

“What’s going on?”

Her eyes widened. “Nothing.” He just looked at her, waiting. “Polly’s father is here. He wanted to meet her; I want to see him before I bring Polly.”

“He’s had five years to meet her. Where has he been?”

“Please, don’t make me say it.”

“Say what? Did he attack you? Force you?”

“Jesus, Brian, no, nothing like that. It’s just…complicated.”

Well that answered one question. But why had she been so upset anytime asked about him?

“Then what?”

“I’ll tell you, just not tonight. Please?”

“Whatever. I’m going top side, might as well get some sun.”

As he walked by her, she grabbed his arm. “It’s been twenty-one years today.”

He closed his eyes, not wanting to look at her. “I know what day it is,” he said before continuing out the door.

 

 


 

The ship was so large he had yet to see any of his family or Daphne. He had seen Rodney and Tilly several times, in fact, their cabin was next to his and Daphne’s. They were oversharers. He talked to them in line and found out they were best friends who had drunken, sad sex in college and had twins from it. Brad and Brandy, their kids, had just graduated college and gotten jobs. Brad a chef in California and Brandy was working to become an FBI agent. They were the picture of proud parents. He also found out that Rodney was gay but had married Tilly when they found out she was pregnant, five years later she met a man and wanted to marry him. They divorced but always stayed close to co-parent their kids. He really like them both, they were funny together.

“You haven’t found your family yet hon?” Tilly asked as he exited his cabin. Daphne’s stuff was there but not her.

“No not yet.” He felt awkward and alone right now.

“Why don’t you walk with us, you’re sure to see someone you know.”

He shook his head. “I don’t want to intrude.”

“You won’t be, we need a little youth around. With the kids gone we seem to be looking for our walkers,” Rodney joked. It made Justin smile before he agreed to go with them.

As they toured the ship, he looked for his family but was mostly looking at all the cool things. There are two huge pools, so many restaurants, stores and activities. Tilly said she was tired and needed to sit down in one of the air-conditioned lounges. He knew she was lying; he could see how washed out and tired Rodney looked.

“Sorry about this,” Rodney said as he sat heavily down on a sleek black leather chair, Tilly sitting down beside him, handing him a drink and some pills.

“It’s not a problem,” he said sitting down in front of them.

“No, you go explore, be young. Don’t let us old fogies slow you down,” Tilly said. Looking her in the eyes he could see that after Rodney rested, they probably would be going back to their cabin to rest. He hoped he was alright; he really was a nice guy.

“Okay, if you think it’s alright. Hey, I was thinking about what if tomorrow night Daphne and I eat dinner with you. I know my parents will insist on us eating with them tonight.”

“That sounds lovely, you know where we are, just tap on the door and tell us when and where tomorrow,” Tilly said.

He left and as he exited the lounge, he ran into someone, literally. “Oh God, I’m so sorry,” he said, he could feel his ears burning with embarrassment.

“Sorry’s bullshit, just look where you’re going next time.”

Justin looked up to see the asshole who he ran into and he felt all the air rush from his body. The man before him was gorgeous; he was like a god. He must have looked how he felt because the man smirked.

“So, where were you going?” the man-god asked.

“I don’t know,” he mumbled.

“I can change that.”

 

Justin had no idea what he was doing, he was a virgin, this man was a stranger. The man who had introduced himself as Brian was everything he had ever wanted. But there was something that bothered him, Brian hadn’t asked him anything about himself. He wouldn’t know his name if Justin hadn’t told him when he didn’t ask. But now he was in the guy’s cabin, alone with him.

His nerves were on fire…along with the rest of his body. Here he was with just his underwear on, standing in front of a very naked Brian. He just needed to play it cool, make Brian think this wasn’t something new to him. He failed.

“You can stop looking like Bambi, I’m not going to do anything you don’t want…several times.”

Justin’s breath caught as Brian grabbed his neck, pulling him closer. The kiss seared, he felt hot all over. But then like a bucket of cold water it was ruined.

“Brian, open the fuck up!” someone yelled, banging on the cabin door.

Brian pulled away, going to open the cabin door without shame. He glared at the man standing him front of the door.

“Christ, Brian, couldn’t you put on some clothes?”

“As I was in middle of something, no I don’t think I could. What do you want, Michael?”

The man looked passed Brian and right at Justin. “He looks twelve, at least you can afford the bail. Uncle Vic asked me to tell you he’s taking a nap and will see you at dinner.”

“Message received; you can leave now. Go run back to you sugar daddy.”

The man huffed. “David isn’t any such thing, but you wouldn’t know real love if it bit you on the ass.”

Brian slammed the door in the man’s face and turned around. Justin could see how angry he was. “So, your choice, stay or go. Which is it?”

“Stay, definitely stay.” He just hoped he didn’t live to regret this decision.

 

 

 

 

 

Dining Wrong by SLHR

 

 

“His stuff is in our cabin, he got on the ship on time,” Daphne told Justin’s mom. They had been looking for him for hours, his mother was ready to have him paged but Daphne knew how embarrassed he would be.

“He’ll be at the welcome dinner, Jennifer. You need to stop worrying,” Mr. Taylor said.

“I know,” Mrs. Taylor said, still looking worried. “Are you kids going to join us for the fireworks show?”

“Ummm…” She didn’t want to promise that they would because she and Justin didn’t really want to hang out with his parents.

“I have some business to attend to after dinner,” Mr. Taylor said.

“Oh, Craig, Molly was so looking forward to you spending time with us. I don’t know why you wanted us to come on this trip if you don’t spend any time with us.”

“Here I am spending a small fortune for you and the kids and this is the thanks I get. You’ve never wanted for anything, kids go to private school, you have the nicest car on the block. All that stuff doesn’t come for free, I have business,” he said before turning and leaving in a huff.

It all made Daphne feel very awkward. She knew the reason she was there was because Justin couldn’t stand to be alone with his family for any extended period. They had grown in the last year away from their parents. She didn’t do everything her parents wanted anymore, and Justin wasn’t hiding who he was. Sure, he wasn’t as Out as he could be, but he knew it was the game he had to play.

“I’m going back to the room and wait for him,” she said meekly before leaving Mrs. Taylor and Molly.

She passed a brightly dressed man trying to get a plain looking one to go for a swim. There was also a man following his granddaughter, she was begging him to hurry up. A woman with wild red hair followed after them telling the girl to slow down.

Once she was back in front of her cabin, she felt like she could relax. Being around Justin’s parents she always had to be ON. They were so much do deal with; it was one reason Justin was forever staying at her house growing up. His parents weren’t abusive…just cold sometimes. She always liked his mom, but it seemed she didn’t want to see that his dad was trying to turn Justin into something he wasn’t. It was only when Justin told him that he was gay when his dad changed his mind about art school. Before that he was alright with him going, his dad always made her uncomfortable. Not because of how he acted towards her, but he just seemed like he was on edge of something. Her own parents were strict but very loving, it just made her sad for her best friend.

She used her wristband to open her door but was shocked when she walked in on a half-naked Justin.

“Justin?”

He looked shell-shocked. After a few moments it seemed he wasn’t going to answer her but then he spoke quietly. “I’ve done something completely idiotic.”

“It couldn’t have been that bad, we’ve only set sail two hours ago.”

“I had sex…with a guy.”

Her eyes widened. “What?”

“Nevermind.”

“Hell, no. You don’t just blurt out that you’ve had sex for the very first time ever…well with a man and clam up. Spill, who with? Does he work on the ship? Is he a pirate? Does he sell vacuum cleaners door to door?”

“God, Daphne, it was once and all I said was I thought he was cute.”

She giggled. When they were thirteen a man was trying to sell a vacuum to her mom, Justin had been in love with him for a whole day until they started summer camp and met Counselor Greg. Justin had so many crushes over the years that she could write a book about all of them. Not that anything happened with any of them, well…Counselor Greg a little but that was just weird to her.

She sat on her twin bed and patted beside her. “Sit. Spill. I want all the details.”

 


Justin flopped down beside his best friend. It was all so great until…he blurted out that he loved him. He had sex with a complete stranger and then told him he loved him. He would have to hide in this cabin for the rest of the trip, no seeing any of the islands.

“It can’t be that bad. Remember what it was like with us, at least it had to be better than that.” He knew she was trying to help but it had been worse than their one time. They had been awkward and weird. With Brian he was absolutely humiliated.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” he groaned, putting his hands over his face.

“He didn’t force you or anything did he?” She looked a mixture of upset and angry.

“No, nothing like that. It’s just what I pictured it being. He was gorgeous and talented, but I was just a body, I wanted more. I guess I’m just stupid falling for a cute guy.”

“Oh, Justin, we’ve all been there. Remember, it was me who liked Chris Hobbs when we were twelve.”

“You really did have horrible taste.”

“Baxter Thomas.”

“Shutting up.” She would bring him up. Another crush he had that turned into nothing but pain.

“I’m not going to let you hide in here. Get dressed, we’re young and gorgeous, we’re going to have a fun time before we have to meet your parents for dinner.”

“Ugh, can’t you tell them I’m sick?”

“Nope, if I have to put up with them you do too. Get dressed.”

 


“Why do I have to watch the rugrat if you brought a babysitter?” he asked for the fifth time.

“I told you she can’t work all day; I’m giving her nights and weekends off. I thought with my family here it wouldn’t be such a big deal.”

Brian rolled his eyes. He didn’t mind all that much watching Polly, she took care of herself pretty well. But now he knew what Claire was up to he didn’t like it. She was bringing a complete stranger into his niece’s orbit. This man had the potential to destroy his niece’s self-worth. Since the day she was born she had been treated like a princess by all of them, if this man treats her like a mistake or just someone to own, he would be livid at his sister for bringing him into her life. There had to be a reason he hadn’t been in her life. Now the question was…why?

Everyone was already in the dining area when they arrived. There were several restaurants on the ship, but they decided to eat at the ship’s dining room since they had already paid for it, he might change his mind if it was awful. Polly was sitting by their dad; she knew Pawpaw would sneak her sweets. On the other side of Polly was Claire’s spot where she sat down. Next to her was Emmett, then Ted, David, Michael, Aunt Deb, Mel, Lindsay and Gus in a highchair. He took the empty seat in between Gus and his dad.

“Can you believe this place? It’s huge, I got lost several times. Thankfully a very charming cruise director found me, if I didn’t know better, I think he was stalking me,” Emmett said, waving his hand dramatically.

“It would be your luck to find a stalker and be murdered on a cruise, Honeycutt,” he said, looking at the menu.

“Brian, little ears,” Claire said, glaring at him.

“Bug, what does “little ears” mean?” he asked, knowing what she’d say.

“Hell, if I know.”

The table broke into laughter. Brian wondered where Bug’s babysitter was, but he wouldn’t want to eat with these maniacs if he wasn’t obligated too. As they talked his mind drifted to the twink earlier. When the kid left, he felt bad, he didn’t like hurting people, but they had to know that a fuck was only a fuck. It had been a long time since he was with someone so innocent. Actually, he didn’t remember the last time he had been. Maybe high school, he couldn’t really say. The blonde hair, pale skin with the bluest eyes. The kid would have men tripping over themselves here. This might not be a “gay” cruise, but this cruise company was known to have very inclusive. He had already seen gay men and women, he had a good gay stare, as his dad always said.  

He looked up just in time to see the twink walk in, he had a young woman with him. His eyes followed as they sat with a man, woman and little girl. As he looked closer, he noticed it was the man from before. He turned to say something to Ted, dragging his eyes away from the family.

“Uncle Brian, are we going to see fireworks tonight?” Polly asked.

“If you want.”

“I don’t want her up too late,” Claire said, looking back at him.

“It’s not like she has work in the morning, let go of the apron strings for a minute. She’s old enough to drink and gamble if she wants.”

“Brian,” his father snapped. Fuck, he hated when his dad gave him that voice and look.

“Fine, we’ll only watch a few. Hopefully, you’ll be back from your errand by then.”

“What do you need to do?” Deb asked.

“I just need to see someone, it’s not important,” she muttered.

Just as he was about say something a loud smack was heard in the room, it felt like it echoed in the dining room. Everyone in the dining area looked at the scene that was happening in front of them. It was the kid, Justin’s table. He was on the ground, holding a hand over his cheek. The little red headed girl of about eight was crying, holding on to her mother. The young woman with them was kneeling by the boy, looking back, glaring at the man.

“I won’t have your disgusting lifestyle in my family. Pick now Justin, your family or your sick perversion?”

“Craig, please, people are looking,” the woman sobbed. That irked Brian, it seemed she only cared that people were watching not that her husband hit their son and kicking him out of the family.

Just when Brian thought the kid would buckle, he surprised him. The kid stood up and got into his father’s face.

“I’m not sick or disgusting. I’m gay. I’m tired of you telling me what I can and can’t be. I’m not dating Daphne, she’s my best friend.”

“You can forget about going back to school, I won’t pay for it.”

“Good, I never wanted to go to Dartmouth anyway. I put in for a scholarship for PIFA, I found out I got in a while back. Daphne is transferring to Carnegie Mellon. If you don’t want me in your life, I can’t change that. I’m done being ashamed of who I am. I had sex today…with a man. Guess what, I liked it. I’m going to do it again and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it.”

As one him and David jumped out of their chairs and rushed towards the boy and man. They both saw what the boy didn’t, the father had snapped. The man had grabbed the very sharp knife off the table. Brian grabbed the kid and pulled him down as David tackled the man.

The woman started screaming, the girl’s sobbing got louder but it was over. The ship’s security had seen the knife action too and took the man. He would be held until they docked then he would be kicked off the ship. That was all…Brian wondered if he would have been in any trouble if he’d actually stabbed his son.

Once the commotion had settled back down Justin and the young woman with him were gone. The mother was begging security to let her husband go, that he would have never hurt their son. That was a lie, he saw it in the man’s eyes, he was going to kill his son in that moment.

 

Fireworks by SLHR

 

 

Justin made his way back to his cabin, utterly exhausted. To think even for a moment in time his father thought about stabbing him just broke him. Daphne had pulled him out of there after security rushed in. If it hadn’t been for Brian and another man, they would have been too late. Everything was just so royally fucked up. It just didn’t matter to anymore to him. Nothing did, after talking to his mother he knew who she blamed.

“What did your mom say?” Daphne asked as he entered the cabin.

“She’s going to get off the ship when we dock in the Bahamas, fly back home with dad. They can’t really charge him with anything, even if they did nothing could really come of it. If he would have stabbed me then they would try but with this, nothing. Mom said that if I hadn’t been thrown my life in his face none of this would have happened.”

When he and Daphne had gotten to the dining room, his parents were already waiting. When they walked up to the table his mother made a comment. “About time you two lovebirds show up.” They had looked at each other before he pointed out that he was gay, and there would be nothing between him and Daphne beyond friendship. That’s when his dad surged to his feet and slapped him so hard, he lost his balance and fell.

“That’s crap, all you did was point out that we weren’t together. He’s the one that couldn’t handle it. What about Molly? She had been so looking forward to this trip.”

“I convinced her to let Molly stay with us. We’re adults and can take over her care. There’s no way she can fit in here with us, so Mom is talking to the someone about us staying in their suite.”

“They can do that?”

“I guess, you know my mom, it’s only with my dad she’s a pushover. With everyone else she’s the prim and proper schoolmarm that gets her way.”

“We’re supposed to dock early tomorrow. I love Molly but she’s going to put a damper in this trip for us,” Daphne said.

“You’re the one supposed to be putting a happy spin on this. I think we just make the best of it. Having time away from Mom and Dad will be good for her. There’s a kid’s activities class, Mom told me. She’s signed up already, it’s from nine in the morning until four in the afternoon, including when we are docked unless we take her.”

“It feels very Kids’ Day Out doesn’t it?” she asked with a small smile.

“Yeah, we have to put what Dad did behind us, Molly doesn’t deserve it. Who knows what kind of house she’ll be coming back to when she goes home? Right now, Mom is all about defending my dad, but you know her, she’ll realize if it wasn’t for Brian and that other guy, Dad would have stabbed me.”

“Wait! That was Brian? The Brian?”

He hadn’t told her much but finally told her some on the way to dinner. “Yep, that was him.”

“Which one? The one that looked like Summer’s dad or-

“Eww, the other one. The gorgeous one.”

“So, ready to tell me all about it?”

“Fine, if I must, then we’ll go get Molly from Mom and take her to see the fireworks.”

 


“What if the boat catches on fire?”

“It’s a ship and they have precautions.” His niece was going to drive him crazy. She was at that age where she was forever asking questions, question about questions even. His dad just loved it, felt that he could share his wisdom. Sadly, his dad and aunt wouldn’t be joining them tonight so she could annoy them. To make sure his dad stayed healthy enough for the whole trip he had to stick to his regime and that was going to bed early.

They were taking a short cut he found on the map. It was more deserted than the other walkways, but they would come out at a perfect spot for watching the fireworks. As they walked further down, he heard a noise, a very familiar noise. He turned, not wanting his niece to see but it was too late. She saw same time as he did.

“Why is Uncle David kissing that man? That’s not Uncle Mikey. Why was his hand in his pants? Only Uncle Mikey should kiss Uncle David.”

“Come on, Bug, we’ll miss the show if we don’t hurry.” As much as he fought with Michael, it didn’t mean he wanted him to be made a fool of, he did that enough on his own. Brian knew something was up, Michael had been overcompensating. Saying how well their relationship was, how faithful and loving David was. The whole faithful thing didn’t make sense to him but if you said you were going to be, you damn well better be.


The fireworks show was nice, and Polly loved it. He thought he caught a glimpse of Justin, but it was so crowded he couldn’t be sure. When he got back to Claire’s room, she answered the door with tears in her eyes.

“What’s wrong?” he demanded.

She looked at Polly then back up to him. Turning she looked at the young woman she brought as a babysitter. “Kayla, can you put Polly to bed while I go for a walk with Brian?”

“Sure,” the perky, pink haired girl said, giving Claire a weak smile.

Claire didn’t say anything for a while, he just walked beside her, waiting.

“He said he just wants to meet her once but doesn’t want her to know who he is. He’s going to be doing something that people will look for things to use against him.”

It’s what he expected. You didn’t wait all this time and then come in and be father of the year.

“What’s the deal, Claire? Why all the cloak and dagger stuff?”

“You’ll hate me. Everyone will.”

“You were just stupid and had unprotected sex on vacation, getting pregnant. No one’s going to hate you. Just spit it out, you’re giving me a headache.”

“I didn’t meet him on vacation.”

Brian thought back to the time, it was hard because both of them liked go off when they wanted. It was a trait their father gave them; he would tell them about his adventures, and they wanted to have adventures too. Claire had even gone to France for six months for Work-Study as an Au-pair. She had graduated top of her class, just like him. She had become a software engineer and made great money. Unlike him though, she lived the life of a pauper, but only since she got pregnant. He was surprised she agreed with their dad and came on this trip. But it seemed she had an ulterior motive. “Well?”

“Brian, it’s Jim.”

“Jim? Jim who?”

“It’s James Stockwell.”

She couldn’t have surprised him more if she had said it was Santa Claus. “You’re fucking kidding me, right?”

“I knew you’d hate me.”

“He’s a fucking homo-bashing cop who wants us dead.”

“I didn’t know that at the time. I was working on a project for the city and he was so nice and gentle. It just happened. I was already pregnant when I left, I left to have an excuse; make up a handsome stranger. I just wasn’t able to tell the lie of some no named man being her father.”

“I thought she was pretty fat for being a preemie.”

“Stop. It just happened. When I told him, he ended it and said to never show my face there again.”

“But you did when Dad was arrested, did you forget that?”

He could feel his blood boiling. Their father was arrested last year by some cop trying to catch gays. All he did was go to the bathroom in the mall. They had raked his father’s good name over the coals. The good Chief went public calling his father a pervert and a deviant. They had sued the city and it was settled out of court. He wanted to bury them all but his father, the gentle man he was just wanted it over. He had wondered why Stockwell backed down once they all confronted him. He was scared Claire would tell his dirty little secret, probably had something to do with the settlement so soon.

“It was all before that.”

“Tonight wasn’t, you wanted this asshole to be her father. I-I can’t look at you right now.”

He turned and stomped off before he said something he regretted.

Bad to Worse by SLHR
Author's Notes:

Trigger warning. Self-harm mentioned and Attempted assault. 

 

 

 

Justin had just dropped Molly off with his mom, it was the last night she would get to spend with her. His mom’s eyes were red and puffy, he hoped she didn’t hate him. He was to meet Daphne at a club on the ship but once he got there, he found out it was twenty-one and up and he could see Daphne inside making eyes at the bartender, she apparently didn’t need to be twenty-one. He got her attention to let her know he didn’t stand her up and waved her off when she tried to join him outside. He wanted her to have a good time.

He saw Brian walking his way as he made his way to his room the long way.

“Didn’t expect you out after earlier,” Brian said, Justin could tell he was angry but doing his best to conceal it.

“Why because my dad would rather kill me than have a gay son?”

“Ah, so you’re a drama queen.”

“I am not. I have a reason to be upset.”

Brian cocked an eyebrow. “We all have reasons to be upset, it doesn’t help to be a self-pitying fuck though.”

“You know what, fuck you.”

“Just what I was thinking.”

“What?”

“Want to go back to my cabin?”

“Uh-umm…yes.”

This was a mistake, just like earlier but he couldn’t say no to save his life.

They were barely through the door when he was shoved onto the bed. Unlike before, this was different, it wasn’t gentle and patient. It was rough and hard, not that he was complaining, anything but. Still, it felt like something was bothering the older man but as Brian so plainly put it earlier, this was just sex. His heart was already half in love with the enigmatic man but knew there was nothing to come from it. Maybe he would meet Mr. Right on this trip, but until then, he would take Mr. Right Now.

 

 


 

“Where were you?” Michael asked David as he came through the door of their cabin.

“Enjoying the fireworks show, I asked you to come.”

“I told you, I didn’t feel like it. We were supposed to spend time together on this trip, that’s what you said.”

“You’re always not up for anything. I can’t just sit around and watch television. So read your comic books and sit here and fall apart, don’t expect me to do it with you.”

Michael’s heart ached at the words his boyfriend was saying. “I thought you understood.”

“God, Michael, do you hear yourself? You act like you have some deadly disease; you are aren’t dying. Everything that is wrong with you is caused by you. Sometimes I can’t even look at you without feeling disgusted and sick to my stomach.”

That churning in his stomach that always came when David was like this returned. He hated it, all he ever wanted in life was to be happy. He was always on the outside of his own family. He wasn’t smart like Brian and Claire; both were pretty damn fearless to boot. He knew his mom and Uncle Vic always thought they could do anything, and they did. With him, they would say, “Michael tries.” Tries, keyword for fails.

It was the reason he always fought with them, they were perfect, and he was not. Claire may not be the beauty Brian was, but she had a sharp mind and wicked sense of humor. That wasn’t to say she wasn’t pretty; she just didn’t seem to make her looks and intelligence a package deal like Brian.

Brian, he had a love/hate kind of relationship with him. He was his cousin, so he loved him but oh how he hated Mr. Popularity. Brian in school never had time to acknowledge they were family let alone be friends. That left him alone and to be bully fodder. So, he found other ways of coping with the self-hate and pain he was feeling. Maybe that’s why he really hated him, Brian had been secure in his body and self a long time before he ever was. Brian didn’t wait for people to like him, just being himself made others want to be near him. Even after everyone found out he was gay. He wondered if Brian wasn’t with Uncle Vic if that would have happened. Probably, he was Brian Kinney after all. It used to bother him that Brian and Claire didn’t have the Grassi last name but then when Claire took it, it bothered him more. Maybe David was right, he was stupid and never going to amount to anything. He went to find his bag; he needed his razor.

 

 


 

Emmett was waiting for Ted to get shot down for the tenth time that night. He wondered if this guy was even gay, who knows, he didn’t even look like Ted’s type. Ted seemed to be grasping at straws right now.

“Buy you a drink?”

Emmett looked over and held back the gasp.

“Hi!” he said, hoping to cover his surprise.

“Hello, so about that drink?”

“Zach O’Toole is sitting here asking to buy me a drink. I would be an idiot to say no.”

“Call me Luke, please.” His face was so earnest, it was telling Emmett he was tired of the Zach O’Toole persona.

“Luke, it’s nice to meet you. I’m Emmett.”

They shook hands and Luke’s lingered on his for a few more moments than was needed. Emmett looked over to see where Ted was, but he was gone. Emmett guessed he got lucky, he just wished he could get over this feeling something was going to happen. His grandmother said it was someone walking over his grave…or someone else’s grave.

“Is everything alright?”

“I don’t know. I was here with my friend, but he’s gone now.”

“Maybe he got lucky.”

“You don’t know my friend.”

“There’s not much trouble he can get into on the ship.”

Emmett looked at the Adonis in front of him and had to agree. He was making this out of nothing. Ted would be fine.

 

 


 

“What’s your name?” Ted fought against the dizziness in his head, but it wasn’t helping. Why was the man asking him his name? Why couldn’t he make his mind and body to work together?

“Who are you?” he asked but that’s not what came out of his mouth. It was just slurred nonsense.

“Come on, we’re almost back to my cabin,” the man said, pulling on him.

His body was moving without his permission, he wanted to go back to Emmett, wanted to go back to his room. The guy really wasn’t his type, but he was nice and easy to chat with, he knew Emmett was watching him get shot down again and again. But this guy seemed to really like him, so when he got him the drink, he was happy. Now he felt like he would pass out. Something was in the drink; he knew it now. Why had he been so desperate to be with someone tonight. Now he was going to be a bit piece on the ten o’clock news.

What was this man going to do to him? Oh God, was he going to eat him? Cannibalized on a Caribbean Cruise, sounds like a TV movie of the week, Brian was so going to laugh his ass off about this.

He tripped but the man pulled him back up.

“Ted? Ted, what’s wrong, is he alright?” a new voice asked, a familiar voice.

“Yeah, I was just taking him back to his cabin,” the cannibal said.

“His cabin is nowhere near here. If you don’t mind, I’ll take him,” Claire sounded mad, but he couldn’t tell why.

“Hey, I was just trying to help.”

“I’m sure, well, you are no longer needed. I can help him to his room.”

Suddenly the man wasn’t supporting him anymore and he almost fell but Claire wrapped her arm around him, keeping him propped up. She wasn’t a track and field star in high school for nothing, she had some serious upper body strength.  

“He’s gone now. I don’t know if you’re going to be happy with me or pissed but since it doesn’t look like you can consent to anything, I don’t care. Just keep walking with me, the closest room to here is Brian’s. Let’s hope he’s in a better mood than earlier, I just don’t think you’ll be standing in another five minutes.”

 

 


 

They were about to start round two when someone started banging on his door. He ignored it until it started to slow down the show. He got up and answered the door, again without clothes.

“Jesus, Brian, no one wants to see that,” Claire said. She probably would have shielded her eyes, but she was doing her best to keep an almost unconscious Ted upright.

“What the fuck?”

“I found some creep taking Ted somewhere not even close to his room. Ted hasn’t been lucid enough to tell me what was going on.”

“Fuck. Who was it?”

“Just some creep. We can ask Ted tomorrow if he remembers anything. Should we take him medical and have him tested?”

“Here? I doubt they have the technology to fix a scrapped knee. He wouldn’t want to do that anyway, you know Ted.” He noticed Claire looking behind him, she shook her head. “You have no room to talk…for eternity,” he snarled at her. He was still pissed, not as much because a good hard fuck solves a lot.

“Is he even legal?”

“Of course,” he said before turning back to Justin. “Right?”

“Yep, eighteen.”

“See there, legal.”

“Barely.”

“Did you want help getting Theodore back to his room or the door slammed in your face.”

She glared at him and then wrinkled her nose. “Just put some damn pants on.”  

 

 


 

“I knew there was something wrong, I could feel it. Aunt Lula always said I had the gift.”

“You should have given it back since if you did know something was wrong you still let some creep take him. And Ted, only you can get almost murdered on a cruise ship,” Brian said, drinking his half decent coffee.

They were at breakfast, though Ted still looked a little green.

“Actually, quite a few people are killed on cruise ships.”

“Who brought Mary Fucking Sunshine?” Debbie asked.

“It would be rude to send him back to his room without nourishing him after last night,” Brian said. After seeing his sister’s reaction to Justin last night, he had to see it on the rest of the family this morning. He was pleasantly surprised although no one had spoken to Justin yet.

“Wait a minute, you’re the boy from last night. The one with the psycho dad,” Debbie said, really looking at Justin now.

“Yeah, he’s being kicked off this morning, my mom is going with him. My friend Daphne and I will be taking care of my sister. She was so looking forward to this trip and I think my mom and dad don’t need a nine-year old there to watch them fight.”

“Well, you’re welcome to join us anytime,” Debbie said causing Brian to glare at her. His plan to piss people off was backfiring and if he didn’t stop this the trick would be around all trip.

“He’ll be wanting to spend time the friend and his sister, not two old goats and the people that have to put up with them.”

He smiled at his dad because he knew the man knew he was joking. “You always were a brat,” his dad said, as he tried to ruffle Brian’s hair, but he moved in time.

Before anything more could be said Michael joined them. He was wearing long sleeves, but Michael always did dress like that, since they were teens. Brian would have to talk to him later about David.

“Uncle Mikey, Uncle David was kissing another man that wasn’t you last night,” Polly blurted out.

“Shit,” he said quietly.

The table got real quiet which was saying something this early with these people.

Michael turned hurt eyes towards David. “Why? All I asked was this trip. I know I’m not exciting but why here, why now?” Michael got up and left the table. Most of the table was glaring at David, who got up and followed Michael.

“Who wants to house Michael for the remainder of the trip?” his dad asked, his face sad.

“Umm…Daphne and I are moving into my parent’s suite to take care of my sister today; he can use our cabin.”

“Looky there, you really a Sunshine,” Debbie said, patting Justin’s cheek. He guessed he wasn’t getting rid of the twink now.  

 

First Stop by SLHR

 

 

“I miss Mommy,” Molly said. Justin inwardly groaned, she only called her mommy when she was on the verge of a tantum. With how the last twenty-four hours had gone, he couldn’t blame her.

Their mother had just left following father as he was escorted off the ship. Right now, they were trying to cheer Molly up and wanting to see Princess Cays Island. It was a private island and really no more than a beach. His parents had to charter a boat to Rock Sound, Eleuthera from there they would fly out.

“I know but remember, she told you to she wanted you to have a good time. We’re going to go to the beach today, doesn’t that sound like fun. You love the beach!”

“Do you have my lotion?” she asked, her face still red from crying.

“Yes, mom packed several bottles of your sunblock.” Molly was red-headed and pale, she had to use strong sunblock lotion, Mom always got SPF 110. He brought his own, he wasn’t as pale as his sister. She didn’t tan, her freckles connected.

“Why don’t you go put your swimsuit on and us three will go have the time of our lives,” Daphne said, trying to cheer her up.

“Alright,” she said uncertainly as she went into the bathroom.

“Is that man going to be moving into our cabin?” Daphne asked while Molly got dressed.

“I don’t know, his mom said that she was going to tell him about our offer.”

“Your offer.”

“Same diff. Anyway, it’ll be a way to stay in touch with Brian.”

“You are so smitten.”

“Shut up, that makes it sound like I’m a twelve-year-old girl.”

“If the shoe fits.”

He threw a pillow at her, but she ducked.

“Ta-da!” Molly stepped out of the bathroom. Seemed like she was on the upswing. She was wearing a one-piece swimsuit that was blue with red hearts.

His parents’ cabin was much nicer than his and Daphne’s. They had two tiny beds and wall separating the bathroom area. His parents was like a nice suite at a hotel with two bedrooms and a small living area. They had decided once they moved into, the room, Justin and Molly would share the large queen size bed and Daphne would take the twin. Before she had the option to stay back in their room but now, they had offered it to Michael. Ok, he offered it to Michael.

 


They found a perfect spot on the beach, they laid out their towels. Molly decided to build a sandcastle, Daphne was getting some sun and he decided to sketch. Looking around, he tried to find the best muse, maybe hoping Brian would show up. His eyes landed on an older couple; they were on beach chairs. The woman had a large floppy hat and big sunglasses, she was in a white one-piece swimsuit with a white frill at the hip. The man had more clothes on than you would expect for someone at the beach. He had a hat, sunglasses, a light long-sleeve shirt and chinos. He was close enough to the couple he could hear them once he started to listen for them. He finally recognized them as the couple he was behind when they boarded, Rodney and Tilly.

“I could get used to this,” the woman said, stretching out on the lounger.

 “Tilly, you know you would go crazy in a month. You have to be doing something, it’s in your blood,” the man said, a smile on his face. Justin started drawing an outline of the woman.

“You’re no fun. But think of it, we could spend our golden years like this.”

The man laughed and as if sensing Justin watching them looked up and saw Justin.

“Hi,” Justin said dumbly, hiding his sketch pad.

“Hey, kiddo, haven’t seen you since we boarded. How has it been?” the man asked.

“Chaotic. My dad got booted from the ship for violence and my mom went with him.”

“Oh, no, honey. I’m so sorry,” Tilly said

“It’s alright. At least I have my sister and friend.” He pointed to Daphne who was sunning her back now and his sister who had a pretty high sandcastle going, though it was a little crooked.

“That’s good. She’s adorable. Reminds me of Brandy with that red hair,” Tilly said wistfully.

“How has your trip been so far?” he asked. It had only been a day and a half, but lots could happen in that time…look at him.

“Good, quiet. Without the kids we have just been bumbling around like two old people.”

“Have you been making friends?”

“No, not really. I think you’re the only one we’ve talked to other than the staff.”

Justin shook his head. “That won’t do. You should eat with us tonight. We’re eating with another group and some are older too. Maybe you’ll have something in common.”

The man shook his head. “We don’t want to intrude.”

“No, you’re not. The whole point of a cruise ship is to get out of the normal. Please, come eat with us?”

Tilly sighed. “Oh, all right. Where?”

“The Valley at eight,” he told them.

“Alright, I guess I should head back earlier than planned to have a nap,” the man said.

Justin felt instantly guilty, he could tell the man was tired and sick and here he was pushing dinner on them. “You don’t have to come, I’m sorry. I know you’re not feeling well.”

“No, it’s fine, darling. You see, Rodney got some bad news earlier in the year, he’s sick. The medicine he’s on now finally works but until his mind can catch up with his body, he still feels like it’s not. It’s hard to explain but getting out really is best for him.”

Rodney glared at her, but he wasn’t denying it either, so Justin shrugged.

“Justin, I want to go swimming,” Molly said running up to him.

She could swim well but it was the rule she couldn’t get in the water alone. He turned to Rodney and Tilly. “I’ll see you two tonight. Have a nice day.” He reapplied Molly’s sunblock and his and helped with putting sunscreen on Daphne’s back.  Then took Molly out to play in the ocean for a while.

 


Brian was working out at one of the gyms on the ship. He decided against going to the island. He knew most of the family would be going, he so wasn’t in the mood for that. When Lindsay found out he wouldn’t be heading to the island, she asked him to watch Gus. She was worried about the overcrowded beach and Gus just starting to toddle. He wouldn’t admit it, but he liked the idea of spending the day with his boy. He would be picking him up from the daycare after his workout, just because he was on vacation didn’t mean he could let his body go.

A tall, dark-skinned man running on a treadmill caught his attention. This man was much more his type then the little twink he spent last night with. The man looked over at him, locking eyes. Lust shown through, maybe he would have a little grown up fun before he picked Gus up.

 


Ted didn’t go with the others when they left, he didn’t want to leave his cabin. This morning at breakfast Em had made him go. But he made sure he knew that that he would not be going to the island. They weren’t docked so the only way to get to the island was by boat. He hoped that meant it was harder for them to come back as easily. He was mortified about what happened last night. If Claire hadn’t been walking to Brian’s room last night, there’s no telling what would have happened to him. It made him feel useless, weak and stupid. He had been so focused on not being alone last night he failed to see the signs the guy was a creep. First, he had asked way too much about Ted’s cabin but never asked him once what his name was until it was too late.

Maybe staying hidden in his room wouldn’t help but he wouldn’t see the guy again. Not only that he found out that Emmett had slept with Zach O’Toole last night, here he was almost murdered, and Emmett was with a porn star.

Just as he was about to burrow under the covers again, someone knocked on the door. For a split second he thought it was the guy from last night.

“Go away!” he yelled.

“Please, I need help,” Michael yelled back.

What was he doing here? Ted had met Michael first, just after he moved to Pittsburgh. He had just graduated college and gotten the job at Wertshafter’s. He had gone to Woody’s, hoping to meet someone. That was when he saw Michael, something about the brunet man called to him. Michael was sitting alone, young and oh so innocent looking. Ted struck up a conversation with him. Then Brian came in and it was like he had a spotlight on him. Ted didn’t notice Michael had left until Brian had picked his trick for the night. Ted felt so guilty for that.

It was meeting Emmett that brought the group together, he was like the glue. Emmett had become friends with Brian through Claire. Claire had met Emmett when he moved to the city, when he was still very much a fish out of water. She had introduced him to Liberty Avenue, which was funny with her being straight. Emmett then met his hero Godiva and became the Emmett they all knew and loved.

Michael had never been really one of them though, he was always attached to Debbie’s apron strings or since meeting David being David’s puppet. Something was off about that relationship and it wasn’t the cheating.

Getting up, he made his way to the door. When he opened it, Michael was standing there, blood seeping though the arm of his shirt.

“Jesus, Michael, what the hell happened? We need to get you to the medic.”

“NO! You can’t, they’ll know.”

“Know? Know what? Michael, you’re bleeding. You need help.”

“I’ve got some bandages; I just need help putting them on. Please, Ted, my family can’t know. I’ll never ask anything of you again. David usually helps me but…”

“Usually helps you…so this is a normal thing? Is David hurting you?” Was the man a bigger asshole than they thought.

“God, no. Look, can you just help me?”

Ted nodded, although he didn’t want to help like this. “Sit down, not on the bed.”

Michael sat in the desk chair and slowly started to roll up his sleeve. Ted saw how much pain he was in. He went and grabbed the first aid kit he always kept. Michael gave him a strange look when he put the gloves on, but he didn’t know their status, Michael was always so secretive. Finally, Michael revealed his arm, there were several cuts in various stages of healing, some very old scars too. Then there was the one that was bleeding heavily. The scene was all too clear now…Michael cut himself on purpose.

As he went to work, he started to question Michael.

“How long have you been doing this?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. It was an accident.” Michael wouldn’t look him in the eye.

“I had a friend in college, she had accidents like this all the time. One day, she went into septic shock and died not too long after.”

“It’s not that bad. I did a lot in junior high and high school. But I stopped, I was doing really well. I even found some cream that made the marks fade some.”

“What happened to cause this to start again?”

Michael hung his head. “I always thought once I met the right guy, everything would fall into place. That I wouldn’t feel so broken…so wrong. Then David came along and he was perfect. Smart, charming, hot and rich. But it didn’t take long for me to realize that I’m not good enough.”

“Says who?”

“David,” Michael blurted out before his eyes widened. “I didn’t mean.”

Ted was sure it was the first truthful thing Michael had said in quite a long time.

“Where are you staying now that it’s over with David?” Ted asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, after this morning. I thought that you and he were done.”

“No, I’m lucky that David puts up with me. He can’t be expected to be with only me for the rest of his life, can he?”

It bothered Ted the way Michael was speaking about himself. Besides the first night of meeting him, this was the longest conversation he had with him.

“If that’s what you want, it’s not too much to ask.” He finished with the bandage. “Why don’t you put one of my shirts on and we’ll go get lunch.” He didn’t want Michael to go anywhere alone in his mindset.

“I don’t know.” Ted saw that he wanted to go, so he got up and pulled out a shirt that Em forced him to bring. It was a blue long-sleeve button up. Michael finally smiled and got dressed.

“Let’s go.”

When they got to the little deli they had on board, they saw Brian and Gus. Brian had the one-year old in a highchair. While Michael looked hesitant Ted led him over to Brian and Gus.

“Got room for two more?” Ted asked.

“Theodore didn’t expect you to come out of your room today. Emmett said you were hiding.”

Ted shook off the comment. “Well, as you can see you’ve been misinformed.” Not really. “Can we sit or not?”

Brian opened his hand and gestured at the table. Michael sat while Ted went and ordered their lunch. It looked like he was going to have to convince Michael to eat because he said he wasn’t hungry, but he hadn’t eaten breakfast so he needed it.

When he got back, he could see Michael fidgeting. “So, how has your day been, Brian?” Ted asked.

“Well, after a workout…which there isn’t a crime against,” Brian said, looking at Ted, he was used to this. “Had another workout with an eight in the gym shower. Then picked up Gus and have been having a fun day. We checked out the bookstore, then went to the wade pool and played some, now we’re eating.” Gus smiled and chomped on the carrots he was eating. “So, Michael are you going to stay in Justin’s room?”

“What? Whose Justin and why would I be staying in his room?”

“Hasn’t your mom talked to you?” Ted asked.

“I’ve been avoiding her.”

“That must make breastfeeding difficult.”

Ted sent Brian a glare, now was not the time. “Justin, the blond from this morning is going to be sharing a room with his sister and friend, he offered his old room to you,” Ted filled in.

“Why would I need it?”

“So, you don’t have to stay with Doctor Dick,” Brian said like it was the most obvious thing.

“Oh, I couldn’t.”

“Why not just for tonight? Maybe it will help to have a night away.” Ted suddenly had an image in his head of Michael killing himself tonight. “In fact, why don’t I stay with you. We can have a fun night. I may not know anything about comic books, but I did go to a convention once.”

“If you don’t like them why did you go to a convention?” Michael asked.

“Like that’s so hard to guess, he was chasing some comic book loser ass,” Brian said with a snort. Ted hated that he had been right.

 


Claire knew everyone in her family would kill her if they knew what she was doing. She hated that Jim was Polly’s father, but she couldn’t change it. She wouldn’t if she had a choice because that would mean her sweet, little girl would be someone else.

She sent Kayla away, so Jim could come and meet Polly without anyone knowing. She hated lying, mostly because she knew Brian would see through it if he was there. She had told Jim he wasn’t allowed to tell her who he was, she wouldn’t have him break her heart. She really couldn’t stand even looking at him but a part of her worried that he might try and take Polly away from her if she refused.

A knock on the door startled her. She brushed her clothes down and hoped her hands weren’t as sweaty as she thought.

“Momma, someone’s at the door,” Polly said, looking up from her Gameboy that Brian had gotten her for her fourth birthday.

Sucking in a breath, she opened the door. Jim stood there, steely eyes and a deep frown. “Claire,” he said, nodding his head.

“Come in. She’s playing her Gameboy; she’s really zoned in on it right now.”

“She shouldn’t be playing games like that; they are mind rotting garbage.”

“I’ll take that into consideration,” she lied. She wouldn’t be taking parenting advice from a homophobic bigot.

“Polly, put down your game. I want you to meet an old friend of mine. This is Jim, can you say hi?”

Polly looked up from her game, raised an eyebrow much like her uncle’s. “Hi.” Then she went back to her game.

“Polly, put it away, now,” she said.

“But Momma, I was about to kill the Lizard King.”

“Save it and try later.”

After some huffing and puffing, Polly put her game down.

“Hello, Polly, it’s wonderful to meet you.”

“Why? What’s so wonderful about it?”

Claire was going to kill her brother; he’s the one Polly got her smart mouth from. She was the sweetest, gentlest little girl but sometimes she was her Uncle Brian’s girl. She had been Uncle Brian’s girl since the day she was born. Claire had a hard labor and post-partum depression. It had gotten so bad that Brian had moved in with her for four months. The Stud of Liberty Avenue was changing diapers and rocking Polly to sleep while Claire could barely get out of bed. He only left when he had to go to work and was relieved by their Dad, Aunt Deb and a few times Michael. She blamed Michael for her daughter loving Captain Astro.

“That’s very rude,” Jim chastised Polly.

“Is this all you wanted to do, grumble at her?”

“I don’t think you are raising her very well. Maybe it would be best if my wife and I take her. I’ll tell Gloria it’s a foster to adopt situation of course.”

“Like hell you will.” She looked down at Polly who was watching the exchange with rapt attention. “Put on your headphones and listen to your music.”

“Oh, Momma, I never get to hear the good stuff,” she whined but did as asked.

“Like I said, like hell you’ll take her. If you try in any way, I will scream at the top of my lungs who you are to her. Your election would be dead in the water then. Don’t try me on this. She has always been mine; I won’t have Johnny Come Lately come and try to take over.”

Jim’s face was pinched looking. “I don’t think she’s being raised in the right environment.”

“What kind of environment is that?”

“You know what I mean. Your father and brother, they’re perverts,” Jim said loudly.

“My grandpa and Uncle Brian are not preverts. You take that back.”

Claire closed her eyes; this was a fucking mess. “My father and brother are better men than you will ever be. If you call them something like that again, I’ll make sure you never the mayor. I don’t want a lying, cheating scumbag around my child. Get out of our lives and never come back. If you do, you know what I can do to you. Consider that a threat.”

His face was red and blotchy, but he opened the door and left without another word. She would have to tell Melanie the truth, she needed a plan in case he came after her. If he wins the election, he’ll probably forget all about them but if he loses, all bets are off.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1476