Up, Up And Away by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

A business and pleasure trip provides some interesting complications.

Story #61 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: None
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 26523 Read: 61456 Published: Mar 09, 2020 Updated: Mar 09, 2020
Story Notes:

Banner by Sabina

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Up, Up and Away


Chapter 1


Bree’s POV is in italics all through this story.

*****


My Daddy’s worried. He’s been fussing with his paintings from the minute the pilot said we could walk around the plane. I never been on a private plane before and the pilot said it was okay to look out of the windows. Dada said I wasn’t to run around. He gave me the look, eyebrow and all, so I guess he’s serious. Besides, it’s a little scary being on this plane but I’m not gonna say anything. I’m gonna be brave for my Dada.


But Daddy...


I don’t understand, we went to England and New York for his shows, why is this one different? I don’t understand daddies sometimes. Daddy keeps checking the crates; Dada keeps checking Daddy. Daddy doesn’t know but I know. I know ‘the look’ that Dada makes when he’s worried about Daddy. I think Daddy knows too but he’s too worried to notice right now. Daddies, they make a big thing outta nothing.


Maybe I’ll just draw for a while. Dada said the flight won’t take very long, we’re only going to Canada. He said dis-em-barking with the paintings would take longer than the actual flight. And my Dada should know cause he knows everything! My Dada is the smartest Dada in the whole world.


Bree smiled to herself.


My Dada is smart and handsome. My Daddy is pretty just like his paintings and his drawings. I know cause I heard lots of people say that my Daddy is very pretty. They call my Dada gorg-e-ous. I thought only ladies could be gorg-e-ous, but I guess since a lady called my Dada gorg-e-ous it must be true. I don’t understand but that’s okay. I guess my Gus and Uncle John must be gorg-e-ous too cause they look like my Dada.


Bree giggled softly.


Boys are not supposed to be gorg-e-ous.


“What’s so funny?” Brian asked his daughter with a slight arch to his brow. Bree turned her sketch pad around to show him. She had been drawing doodles, some of which were amusing caricatures of animals. Brian smiled then went back to his book that he was pretending to read.


I hope I like Canada. I wonder if there’s stuff for kids to do.


Bree yawned as her eyelids drooped. Brian caught the sketch pad before it dropped to the floor of the plane. He made sure Bree was buckled in then gently lowered her seat back as he arranged her small blanket around her. He smiled at his precious angel in all of her sleeping innocence. Now if he could get his other angel to go to sleep or at least calm down, but no dice. As they approached the airport, Justin seemed to become more nervous.


“It won’t be long, Sunshine,” Brian felt obliged to say. Justin merely smiled then sipped his bottle of water. Brian had briefly contemplated spiking the water with Valium but he would never do that to Justin. And with his luck, Justin would be allergic. Brian sighed and silently prayed to the gods that the show would be successful. Heaven help the world if it wasn’t.


 


*****

 



“Hey, Squirt, we’re almost there,” Brian said softly as he gently shook Bree awake. Bree stretched then opened her eyes. They twinkled with anticipation as she smiled at her elder father. Her younger father was nervously twitching, but at least he was seated and buckling up in preparation for landing.


“Don’t worry, Daddy, it’ll be all right,” Bree counseled her Daddy with all the sage advice of her vast nine years. Justin smiled at his daughter and nodded.


“She’s right, you know, Sunshine,” Brian stated. “Your paintings are brilliant. You’re brilliant. The Northern tundra will be blown away by your brilliance,” Brian stated with confidence.


“From your lips to the gods’ ears,” Justin murmured just before Brian covered Justin’s mouth with his own. Brian kissed Justin, pouring his heart and soul into the kiss.


“It’ll be fine, Justin, you’ll see. Our sister country will love you just as much as your hometown does.” Justin nodded then closed his eyes as he mentally prepared himself for landing.


 


*****

 



Dada says our hotel is big. He says it has a swimming pool and I can go swimming if I want to. It also has an arcade. Maybe Dada will let me play some games. Daddy left me and Dada to go with his paintings to the gallery. A big truck came right up to the plane and we watched the men unload the crates and put them on the truck. I think Daddy was still nervous as his car followed the truck. Dada had a car for us too. The driver is nice. He took all our bags without anyone asking him. Dada says that means the man knows how to do his job right and he’ll get a good tip. I’m not sure what that means but my Dada is happy so that’s all that really matters.


“Ooooo!” Bree gasped.


“What?” Brian asked.


“Toronto is pretty!” Bree exclaimed as she pressed her nose to the glass of the car. Brian smirked as he watched the countryside go by. Brian had booked them into a very prestigious hotel in the middle of the city. It was close enough to the gallery that Justin could walk if he wanted to and near enough to the business district for Brian to conduct Kinnetik business then get back to his family. They hadn’t decided what to do with Bree but she was old enough to stay out of trouble at the gallery while Justin worked.


“We’re going to be here for a couple of weeks, so when we get checked in, I’d like you to unpack and put away your clothes,” Brian stated matter-of-factly.


“No problem, Dada!” Bree assured her father. She was old enough to take care of her clothes correctly. And she was so much like her older father in certain respects. She knew what to do with quality. Brian nodded at her with a wink.


“Wow,” Bree said softly as they pulled up to the big hotel.


“Yeah, wow.” Brian repeated. He was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. “We’ll get settled then meet up with your Daddy,” Brian explained.


“Okay, Dada!” Bree said as their car turned into the circular driveway and slowly approached close to the main doors. Several bellmen scrambled towards them to help get their bags. Brian took care of the driver then took Bree’s hand as they followed their bags to the front desk.


 


*****

 



“Welcome to the Four Seasons Hotel,” the woman behind the desk said cheerfully.


“Brian Kinney.”


“Ah, yes, Mr. Kinney, we’ve been expecting you. The Presidential Suite is all ready.”


“With the connecting room?”


“Of course, just as you requested.”


“Good,” Brian said taking the card and filling out the obligatory information. He handed it and his credit card to the woman when he was done.


“I’ll just run this through and get your room keys,” the woman said.


“Dada,” Bree whispered as she looked up at her father.


“Yes?”


“Are you the president?”


“What?”


“The lady said you’ve got the president’s suite. Are you the president?”


Brian chuckled. “They just call it the Presidential Suite because it’s the most expensive room in the hotel.”


“Oh.”


“It has nothing to do with the president. It’s just the name of the room.”


“Okay,” Bree said softly. She had a lot to learn. Her Dada knew everything.


“Here you are, Mr. Kinney,” the lady said handing some cards to Brian. “Jerry has your luggage and he will show you to your suite. Thank you for choosing the Four Seasons, and if you need anything, just call the front desk.”


Brian nodded and turned to Jerry who was pushing the cart of luggage towards the elevators. Brian took Bree’s hand and followed.


I like this elevator. I can check that my hair is perfect when we’re going out. Dada chooses good hotels.


I hope Daddy is okay with his paintings. We probably should have gone with him, but he gets kind of snippy when he’s nervous like that. Sometimes Dada gets snippy back. Maybe it’s good we didn’t go with Daddy.


I bet our room will be nice. Dada always makes sure we stay at nice places. I wish Gamma Joan could have come with us.


Bree sighed.


“What’s wrong, squirt?” Brian asked.


“Oh, um,” Bree stammered. She didn’t realize that she had sighed out loud.


“Spit it out,” Brian ordered.


“I was wishing Gamma Joan could be here with us,” Bree said softly. She hoped her Dada wouldn’t be upset or mad that she was thinking that. “We had fun in New York.”


Brian swallowed hard, finding it almost impossible to speak. It always surprised him how memories of his mother could overwhelm him, even after all this time.


Jerry studied the passengers in the elevator as they headed to the thirty-first floor of the hotel. He noted the emotional tension of his two passengers. “You sound like a world traveler, miss,” Jerry said with a smile for Bree.


Bree looked up into the friendly eyes. “I’ve been to London,” she said proudly.


“Wow! I haven’t been hardly anywhere. You’re a lucky little girl.”


Brian smiled wanly as he started to collect himself. “I’m the lucky one,” he whispered brushing his fingers lightly over Bree’s soft hair.


“Here we are, sir,” Jerry said as the elevator pinged and the door opened. He pulled the cart of luggage into the hallway and led them to the nearest door. Brian inserted his door card and they entered.


“Pretty, Dada,” Bree said as she took in the luxurious suite.


“It’ll do,” Brian said. “Those two bags go in the other room. These will be in here,” he instructed as Jerry placed the bags where Brian indicated.


When Jerry had emptied his cart, Brian followed him to the door of the suite. “Thank you,” he said. Jerry nodded understanding that the handsome man meant not only his help with the luggage, but also with what had happened in the elevator. Brian slipped him two twenties.


“Thanks,” Jerry said with a smile. “You have a beautiful daughter.”


“Yes I do.”


Brian closed the door of the suite after Jerry pushed his cart out. He turned to see Bree staring at him from the doorway of her room.


“What’s up?” he asked.


“It seems funny here without Daddy and Gamma…”


“I know, squirt. Why don’t you unpack and I’ll call Daddy? He should be at the gallery. Maybe he’s ready to come join us.”


“I hope so,” Bree said as she headed back into her room to open her suitcases. She hauled the first of her bags onto the stand against the wall and unzipped it. She opened the top drawer of the dresser and looked at her suitcase.


I wish Gamma Joan was here to help me. She always knew just where to put things so I could find them. But I do have grey bunny. I’m glad I packed him. I didn’t want to carry him through the airport and on the plane. I’m a big girl now. But I like to have grey bunny to hug when I miss my Gamma.


Bree pulled grey bunny from her suitcase and hugged him tight.


“You sit here and help me put my clothes in the right spot,” Bree instructed as she sat grey bunny on the bed so he was facing the dresser. Then she proceeded to unpack. “Should I put my shorts in the drawer or hang them in the closet?” she asked. “Yes of course, they’re better in this drawer,” she agreed with grey bunny, as she placed them carefully in one of the lower drawers. She put all her underwear in the top drawer, along with her hair barrettes and other jewelry including her frog necklace.


“There that’s done,” she said zipping up the empty suitcase and placing it in the closet.


She hoisted her other suitcase onto the spot where she had placed the first bag. This one contained all her dresses and clothes for dinner and other affairs. Carefully she hung them on the hangers in the closet. She was just finishing up when she heard her Dada’s voice calling her.


“Shh,” she said to grey bunny, before running over to hide behind the partially open door of her room.


“Bree,” Brian said pushing open the door of his daughter’s room.


“Boo!” Bree yelled as she popped out from behind the door.


“Are you trying to give me a heart attack?” Brian asked as he held his hand to his chest in mock heart attack mode.


“Oh no, Dada, I just wanted to surprise you.”


“Well you did,” Brian said picking her up and swinging her around in the big room. “How’s your room?” he asked as he set her down and kissed the top of her head.


“Fine, and I unpacked everything.”


“So I see,” Brian observed as he noted the immaculate room. “Where did grey bunny come from?” he asked when he spotted the stuffed animal sitting atop Bree’s bed. “I thought you left him at home.”


“Nope,” Bree replied. “He would have been lonely, and so would I. I packed him.”


“Hm, did he have a good trip?”


“Yep, but it was a little cramped in my suitcase,” Bree said with a mischievous smile. “He helped me get all my clothes in the correct spots.”


“Very good of you, Mr. Bunny,” Brian said bowing in the direction of the big, soft rabbit.


“He’s very helpful.” Bree grinned.


“Apparently.”


“Is Daddy done at the gallery?” Bree asked.


“No, I think he’s having trouble with his paintings. Shall we walk over there and join him?”


“Oh yes, Dada. I’ll help him.”


Brian chuckled. “I know you will, Squirt. Is Mr. Bunny coming?”


“Nope, he’s no good in galleries. He just helps with clothes.”


Brian smiled. “Then let’s go. Maybe we can drag Daddy away for lunch.”


“Yeah, I’m hungry,” Bree stated as she slipped her hand into her father’s.


 


*****

 



Having obtained the easy directions to the gallery and to local eateries, Brian and Bree set off to find their wayward Sunshine. Bree held Brian’s hand tight as they walked through the unfamiliar streets of Toronto. Bree’s trust in her father was implacable as he led them to the gallery. She gazed in wonder at the sights that they passed.


“Dada, look, that building looks like the one in New York! The one they call the Flatiron Building,” Bree explained. Brian looked up to follow Bree’s gaze. She was correct, the building was almost identical. Brian smiled down at his daughter, proud of her and her observant violet-blue eyes. He nodded then looked around to make sure they were going in the right direction. A few more blocks and they were standing in front of the gallery. The building was an older building, not as modern as the Sidney Bloom Gallery but not as old as the museum in London where Justin still had many paintings.


“Dada.” Bree pointed to a brass plaque on the side of the heavy looking door. The Krupp Gallery 2nd floor. Bree and Brian exchanged a look then proceeded into the building and up to the second floor.


“I’m sorry, sir, the gallery isn’t open at this time,” a very prissy woman in a knockoff designer suit said to Brian as he approached the main reception area of the gallery with Bree in tow.


“I’m Brian Kinney and this is my daughter…”


“I’m Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree said before Brian could complete his sentence. Bree emphasized the Taylor portion of her name and gave the woman the patented Brian Kinney glare of not quite death, but the one he used when he decided the person wasn’t worth the effort. Brian sucked in his lips in an effort not to laugh. Bree had learned a lot while she was at Kinnetik.


“Oh, yes,” the woman said with an immediate change in her demeanor. “My name is Alicia Williams,” the woman said as she extended her hand to Brian and then to Bree when he arched a brow. Ms. Williams cleared her throat then continued as she led Bree and Brian into the main gallery. “I’m Mr. Krupp’s assistant. If you need anything during your visit, please don’t hesitate to ask. We’re very excited that Mr. Taylor has decided to make his Canadian debut with us. As you know Toronto is a very forward thinking city,” she said proudly.


Brian merely nodded but remained unimpressed.


“Mr. Taylor will have this hall devoted to his work,” Ms. Williams announced as she opened a thick glass door. Brian was greeted by a lovely poster on an easel bearing Justin’s photo, sporting a sunny and very alluring smile. Brian felt a familiar zing rush through his groin then picked up a brochure from a nearby stand. “Mr. Taylor is toward the end of the hall,” she pointed. “If it’s all right with you, I’ll leave you here. I have many calls to make. You know, those last minute things,” she said in a conspiratorial tone. “I’m sure I’ll be speaking to you soon.” Both Bree and Brian nodded as Alicia Williams left through the door.


Brian handed Bree a brochure of her own then followed the noise to their artist.


“Sunshine,” Brian said when Justin came into view. The frustrated expression on Justin’s face was instantly transformed to a sunny one. Bree ran over to him and threw herself into Justin’s arms. Justin hugged her close, letting her loving kisses wash away his tension.


“Someone’s hungry and would like to have a late lunch with her Daddy,” Brian explained. Before Justin could find any excuses, Brian continued. “And I do believe I could eat as well,” he said with a smirk.


Two sets of deep blue eyes looked up at Brian with awe and amazement.


“I do get hungry on occasion,” Brian confirmed.


“Then I think we should immediately go find lunch,” Justin said after some careful consideration. Bree nodded her head in agreement.


“Good plan, Daddy!” Bree pronounced with her own sunny smile. Brian couldn’t help kissing two creamy faces and the top of their blond heads. As Justin gathered up his messenger bag, Mr. Krupp came over to introduce himself.


“Mr. Kinney, it’s very nice to finally meet you. Marcus Krupp, owner of this establishment,” Krupp stated as he extended his hand. Brian took it as he assessed the man. “I’ve heard some wonderful things about you.” Brian glanced at Justin for a second but received a shake of the blond head. “Your reputation precedes you,” Krupp added making Brian arch a brow. “Allow me to explain,” Krupp went on at Brian’s perplexed expression. “I’m a member of the Toronto Business Association. News of your plan to expand Kinnetik has reached us; we’re hoping you’ll consider opening a branch here.”


“I’m sorry, someone may have misunderstood. I’m here to close a deal with a client, not open up a branch,” Brian tried to clarify.


“No, it’s I who should apologize. Philip Waldon of Waldon Industries is a member of our association. He mentioned your visit and well, combined with Justin’s exhibit, it’s been the talk of Toronto for weeks. If I may ask, when do you meet with Philip?”


“Tomorrow morning,” Brian responded. It was no state secret and he figured if Waldon was that much of a big shot and pleased with Kinnetik, Brian might go home with a few more clients. Brian decided to change tactics, turning on the charm. “May I steal Justin away for a while,” Brian asked with his most endearing smile, the one that melted men’s hearts, gay or straight.


“Of course, we shall have no starving artists here. There are several wonderful restaurants within walking distance or I can call you a cab,” Krupp said. He rattled off several names all of which sounded a bit too upscale for how Justin was feeling at the moment. Brian could tell that his spouse and daughter would be happier in a diner.


“Or if you’re feeling a bit bohemian there’s always Woody’s.”


“Woody’s?!” all three said at the same time. They received their directions and off they went.


“Where are they going?” Alicia asked her boss.


“Woody’s,” Marcus replied.


“Woody’s? Do they really want to go there? And with a little girl?” Alicia asked with disbelief.


“They are gay,” Marcus Krupp stated the obvious.


“But with a little girl.” Alicia made a face of disapproval.


“It’s the middle of the afternoon and Woody’s is family friendly. I’m sure they’ll be all right,” Marcus said with a sigh. He relied on his assistant; they had worked together for many years but sometimes her very conventional views made for interesting confrontations. Marcus used their opposing views to his advantage and they always came up with a successful compromise. They’d get through it, they always did.


 


*****

 



“Brian, do you want to open up a branch of Kinnetik here? You could start out small like you did with N’rgy,” Justin said as he chowed down on a thick juicy burger. The Woody’s on Church Street did indeed remind the boys of their own Woody’s back home. But it had become so popular that during the day families of all sorts of combinations came in for lunch. Bree felt right at home.


“I’m not sure. I’m not opposed to the idea but I don’t think I want to fly back and forth all the time,” Brian said as he stole a French fry off Justin’s plate. Brian was enjoying his roasted turkey sandwich on dark whole wheat, no mayo.


“But if you send the right people, they wouldn’t need you that much. Probably not more than three times a year, and if this exhibit stays here for a while, we can go together. Maybe come up during school holidays so we can bring Bree,” Justin suggested reasonably.


“You have that little gerbil in your head working on overtime, don’t you,” Brian snarked. “Four hours ago you were about to bite my head off, now you’re ready to negotiate a contract for a Toronto version of Kinnetik.” Brian sunk his teeth into his sandwich. Bree was very happy with her grilled cheese sandwich with all the trimmings. She was too busy eating to comment but she was listening.


“I’m not sure. Marcus has been great, even Alicia has been nice, although she’s a little stiff,” Justin replied.


“Stiff? Even I can’t get that stiff,” Brian snorted around a pickle. Justin threw him a look. Brian threw him back a phony smile. “I’ll be nice,” Brian promised. Justin snorted. “So what do you think of the space they gave you?”


“It’s awesome!” Justin said with a big smile. “It’s so light and airy, it shows off the florals perfectly. The back wall is just the backdrop for the larger piece and the nudes will be hanging down from wires.”


“Like the pulley system back home,” Brian observed.


“Yes. When I described the system to Marcus, he thought it was unique so he had them build a series of pulleys that will slowly raise and lower paintings throughout the night,” Justin said excitedly.


“Very innovative, isn’t it, Squirt?” Brian turned to place a kiss on Bree’s pert nose. She laughed then stole a fry off her Daddy’s plate.


Justin put his burger down and gave his recalcitrant partner and daughter an admonishing look. “What’s with you two? Bree, you have your own fries. You don’t have to take mine.”


“No I don’t, Daddy, I ate mine and Dada helped,” Bree said with a smug look. Brian giggled.


“You’re just as bad as she is.” Justin glared at Brian.


“No, he’s not, Daddy. I’m just as bad as Dada! He came first,” Bree explained with a straight face.

 

Justin paused in mid chew in disbelief. The two most important people in his life were staring back at him with amusement. He shook his head then pushed his plate with the fries toward them.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Up, Up and Away


Chapter 2


 


 


Bree skipped along the street between her two parents. Justin and Brian looked at each other and smiled.


“Did we ever have that much energy?” Brian asked.


“I seem to remember fucking all day every day,” Justin said with a waggle of his eyebrows.


Brian grinned at the memory. “Only on the weekends,” he added with his tongue in cheek.


“And every minute that we could find in between.”


“We needed at least an hour,” Brian smirked.


“Braggart.”


“Just saying...”


Justin giggled. “We did have our moments, didn’t we … and we still do.”


“You got that right, Sunshine.”


“Daddy, do you hafta stay at the gallery much longer?” Bree asked


“I don’t know, sweetheart. I’ll see if they’ve followed my instructions while we’ve been gone. Why?”


“I want to do something with you and Dada,” Bree informed them.


“You do? Like what?”


“Does Toronto have a zoo, or a museum or a play we can go to?” Bree asked.


“I’m sure Toronto has all of the above,” Brian stated.


“I could ask at the gallery and see what Marcus might recommend,” Justin suggested.


“Just don’t ask that woman,” Brian warned.


“You mean Alicia?”


“Yeah, Daddy, Miss Williams won’t know nothin’ fun to do,” Bree informed them.


“And how do you know that?”


Bree made a face. “She has a big stick up her ass,” Bree responded with sincerity.


The mouths of both men dropped open simultaneously as they stopped dead in their tracks. “Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor!” they both said emphatically.


“Uh oh,” Bree replied with a frown and a worried look. She knew she should not have said what she did, but she’d heard her Dada say that about one of his clients at Kinnetik. That lady was just like Miss Williams, so she had said what she knew to be true. She also knew from her fathers’ reactions that she was in big trouble. “Sowwy, Dada, Daddy,” she said in her little girl voice. Her eyes were glued to the cement of the sidewalk awaiting the reaction she knew was coming.


“Briana,” Justin said firmly, “you know better than to say such a thing.”


Bree was about to apologize again when she thought better of it. “Even if it’s true, Daddy?” she asked truly wanting to know.


Brian couldn’t stop the snicker that escaped his lips.


“Brian, you’re as bad as she is,” Justin chastised glaring at his husband.


“Where do you think she heard that expression?” Brian asked his horrified husband.


“That doesn’t mean she has to repeat it.”


“I wouldn’t say that to nobody else,” Bree offered. “I know it’s not polite, but it is true,” she added in her own defense.


“She’s got you there, Sunshine,” Brian said.


“It’s still not polite to say such a thing,” Justin complained.


“I know, Daddy, and I’ll be careful. I want to have fun in Toronto, and I don’t think Miss Williams is going to tell us good places to go.”


“Okay, but I better not ever hear you say such a thing in front of other people,” Justin threatened.


“I won’t, Daddy.”


“And I don’t want to hear it from you either, Kinney.”


“Certainly not, master,” Brian said contritely.


“Good,” Justin replied.


“And I don’t want to hear it either, Squirt. Even if I do say it myself … occasionally,” Brian muttered.


“I promise, Dada. Can I run really fast to your gallery, Daddy?” Bree asked. “It’s just up there, and I need exercise.”


“Do you now?” Justin asked with a chuckle. “Okay, but stay on the sidewalk and don’t run into anybody.”


“Yay!” Bree yelled before she took off at breakneck speed towards the art gallery.


“That wasn’t much of a punishment for her,” Justin observed.


“She didn’t do anything so very terrible,” Brian replied.


“Not in your eyes, but if she’d said that at the gallery, I would have been mortified, and they probably would have thrown me and my paintings out,” Justin averred.


“You underestimate your importance, Sunshine,” Brian told his husband as they walked towards the gallery.


“I don’t think so. But I don’t have an ego the size of France, like someone I know.”


“You should never think small.”


“I don’t think small,” Justin retorted.


Brian didn’t want to pursue that line of thinking. The last thing he wanted was to fight, and that seemed to be the direction they were heading, so he said, “Bree knows right from wrong. She’s a smart little girl, and I know she’ll do the right thing.”


“She has such wonderful role models in you and me,” Justin said ruefully as he shook his head.


“Yes she does,” Brian stated clearly. “We’re honest and straightforward in our lives. We’re not ashamed of who we are. Maybe our … my … language isn’t always the best, but Bree knows that I don’t set out to hurt people.”


“We all know you do it for people’s own good.”


“Exactly,” Brian said before sucking in his lips.


“You’re so full of shit …. but you’re also right,” Justin agreed.


“We better get to the gallery. Bree has disappeared inside.”


“Yeah,” Justin said. “I’m sure she’ll be fine in the gallery. They know who she is.”


“They being Miss Stick-up-her-ass Williams.”


“Stop it!” Justin ordered.


“Yes, master.”


Justin grabbed Brian’s hand and dragged him through the front door of the gallery. There they found their daughter talking to the very woman with the stick up her ass. Each of them sucked in a breath wondering what Bree was saying to Miss Williams. They quickly walked over to the pair.


“You really should go up the CN Tower. There’s a great view from up there,” Miss Williams was explaining.


“Can we do that, Dada?” Bree asked when she saw her fathers.


“I don’t see why not,” Justin said with a smile. He was relieved.


“And Miss Williams said there is a really good zoo, and we should go to the ROM which is a really big museum and it’s not very far, and there’s a big park that way,” Bree said pointing, “with swings and slides and lots of good stuff, and…”


“Breathe, Squirt,” Brian commanded.


Bree stopped and took a deep breath. “’Kay, Dada.”


“Good girl.”


“I hope Bree hasn’t been bothering you, Alicia,” Justin said.


“Not at all. She’s a very well mannered little girl. That’s to your credit, Mr. Taylor,” Alicia responded stiffly.


“Thank you, but my husband also has a lot to do with it.”


Brian couldn’t help but smirk after their previous conversation. “I always do my best to educate the child properly,” he said formally.


Justin gave him a not too obvious elbow to the ribs.


“I’m so glad to hear that,” Alicia said. “Nowadays many children are allowed to run wild.”


“We just let Bree run to the gallery,” Brian said facetiously.


“Huh?” Alicia asked not catching his meaning.


“Oh, nothing really,” Brian said gently. The woman had been helpful. “Which way was that park?”


“One block north and two west,” Alicia said precisely.


“Thanks,” Brian replied. “What do you say we check it out, Squirt?”


“Yes, please,” Bree responded with a sunny smile.


“See you back at the hotel … soon,” Brian said making it clear that he did not want Justin spending every minute of his day at the fucking art gallery.


“Yes, sire,” Justin said softly with a charming grin. He leaned up and kissed Brian’s cheek. Miss Williams gave a nod of approval.


“Bye, Daddy,” Bree said reaching up for a hug and a kiss.


“See you later, sweetheart.”


“Come on, Dada, I want to swing and slide and teeter totter and…”


“You can do all of those,” Brian replied as Bree pulled him towards the front door of the gallery, “as long as you promise to breathe.”


“They’re quite charming,” Alicia observed as father and daughter left the building.


“I think so too,” Justin said with a warm smile. “Thank you for suggesting the park and … the other attractions.”


“You really should take her to Niagara Falls,” Alicia told him. “It’s only a couple of hours away, and it’s quite magnificent.”


“I’m sure it is,” Justin replied.


“And there’s so many theatre productions right now. I can suggest the best ones. I could also look into getting tickets for you.”


“Yes, thank you very much, but I need to get back to my paintings. I’ll let you know,” Justin said as he quickly walked away.


What had happened to the prissy woman with a stick up her ass? He shook his head in wonder.


 


*****

 



Canada is pretty. Church Street reminds me of home. I know Dada thinks so too. He’s got that smile on his face, the one that he wears when he looks at my Daddy and then they disappear into their room and lock the door. I asked Patrick what they do in their room all the time. Patrick’s face just got red and all he told me is ‘adult stuff.’ I guess one day they’ll let me in on the big secret. I asked Uncle John once and he sorta got red in the face too, and then he picked me up to sit on the counter. My Uncle John is very strong like my Dada. He said that my daddies were loving each other and sometimes they needed to do that in private. I guess that makes sense cause sometimes I like to talk to grey bunny in private. And sometimes I like to look at my Patrick in private when he’s not looking at me. My Patrick is very special.


“Not interested,” Brian ground out, but trying to be somewhat polite about it.


“What did that man want, Dada?”


“Just asked for directions,” Brian fibbed. He didn’t like lying but he wasn’t about to explain cruising or getting hit on to his nine year old daughter. She’d learn all about that soon enough. Brian wanted to preserve her innocence, and his sanity, for a little while longer.


“Oh. How far is the park?” Bree quickly asked, changing the subject.


“Not far…” Brian began, trying to get his bearings. “Over there,” he pointed.


“Yay!” Bree shouted urging her father to walk faster. Brian accommodated her and soon they were at the park. There were dozens of other kids in the enclosed play area so Brian felt confident enough to let Bree loose.


“Stay within sight,” Brian cautioned her as he found a shady bench.


“I will!” Bree tossed over her shoulder as she ran for the nearest available swing.


With one eye on Bree, he dug into his man bag for the contract that he was going to have signed in the morning. Brian wanted to be prepared, he didn’t like surprises.


“Which one’s yours?” a handsome man asked as he sat nearby about an hour later. Brian quickly checked him out then looked up to reassure himself that Bree was still safely in sight. Bree caught her Dada’s eye and waved madly at him. Brian smiled and waved back.


“She’s beautiful. The one on the top of the big slide is mine,” the stranger said. Brian looked toward the slide just in time to see a cute red headed boy slide down as fast as he could. He landed with a thud at the bottom of the slide onto the sand covered cushioned ground. The kid laughed, obviously doing it on purpose. He stood, dusted himself off then got back in the line to head down the tall slide again.


“Every time he does that I think he’s going to break his butt then I think to myself, I did the same exact thing here when I was a kid. I just gotta get over myself, ya know?”


Brian nodded. “Being a parent makes you rethink a lot of things,” Brian admitted.


“Yes, it does. I’m Joel, by the way,” Joel said as he held out his hand. Brian looked at the man for a second but didn’t sense anything menacing.


“Brian,” he said as he shook the proffered hand. “Where does your son get his hair from?” Brian asked noting that Joel was a brunet, similar coloring to his own hair.


“My partner’s the bio dad. We used a surrogate who also had red hair,” Joel said with a smile. Brian nodded. He and Justin did the same. “You too?” Brian nodded again then took out his wallet. Joel did the same then the proud dads oohed, ahhed, and cooed over their perfect kids.


“Big age gap,” Joel noted when he saw a photo of Gus. “Jeez, triplets!” Joel laughed when he saw a picture of the “Kinney” men, all dressed up looking exceptionally dapper at a formal function. John, Brian and Gus indeed looked like they were cut from the same cloth. “Bet that leads to some interesting conversations,” Joel said knowingly.


Brian snickered. “Yeah, I had a bit of a rep back home. My brother got hit on constantly. Drove him nuts until they realized there were really two of us. And my brother wasn’t into that life.”


“And your son?”


“He’s in college and doesn’t have time for fooling around. Besides, he’s exclusive with his boyfriend.” Brian rolled his eyes when he said boyfriend. Joel nodded with acknowledgement. “I know, he’s young but he’s happy.”


“That’s all that matters,” Joel agreed.


There was a lull in the conversation for a while so Brian finished reviewing his contract then safely tucked it into his bag.


“You here on business or pleasure?” Joel asked. Brian arched a brow. “I ask because David and I come here practically every day and I’ve never seen you before.”


“A little of both. I’m seeing a client in the morning,” Brian explained as he patted his bag. “My partner has an art exhibition opening at the end of the week. We decided to make it a family trip,” Brian said as he flicked his eyes toward Bree.


“Oh man, I thought you looked familiar. Justin Taylor is your partner, right? I was privileged to catch a show of his in New York and you were there. He’s opening up here?! That’s wonderful; he has a very large fan base here. I’m sure his work will go over well.”


“Thank you,” Brian could only say. It still shocked him that he was recognized as well. Brian got an odd satisfaction from being Justin’s partner instead of Brian Kinney and his blond trick. Brian snorted to himself. He had it bad.


The two dads turned their attention back to their kids.


 


*****

 



“Would you play on the seesaw with me?” Bree asked coyly, batting her large violet blue eyes at the boy.


“The what?” the red headed boy asked. Bree pointed. “Oh, the teeter-totter.” David nodded his head and they took off quickly running to the seesaw before another set of kids could get to it.


“Where’re you from?” David asked as he held his end of the seesaw while Bree got on.


“America,” Bree said when she was properly seated.


“Where in America?”


“Pittsburgh,” Bree said. Most people had heard of Pittsburgh, it was easier to say than trying to explain her little lane.


“Oh. That’s not too far,” David commented when he got on then leaned back a little to help compensate for differences in their weight. He pushed off the ground so he could swing upward. Bree’s feet landed solidly on the ground. Her strong soccer toned legs easily took the jarring. She then pushed herself off the ground.


“Are you here with your Mommy?” Bree asked.


“No, my Dad,” David replied, he would have pointed but he had to hang on.


“Me too!” Bree said. “I’m Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor, what’s your name?”


“I’m David. Does everyone call you Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor?” David said after taking a deep breath.


“Nooo,” Bree said after rolling her eyes. “They mostly call me Bree.”


“Can I call you Bree?” David politely asked.


“Yes, you may,” Bree said with her best smile. She liked that David was polite.


They teetered up and down for a while longer then decided they needed to climb on the jungle gym. As they carefully got off the seesaw, a misdirected soccer ball bounced over the fence and rolled in front of Bree.


“Can you send it back, please?” an older kid shouted at Bree. Bree got a very competitive gleeful look to her eyes. She quickly guided the ball closer to the fence with her feet then bounced it high off her knee so she could send the ball back over the fence with her head. David gaped at her with wide eyes as the older kids cheered.


“You’re good,” the older kid called over to her. “We’ll be back tomorrow if you want to play,” the kid said noting that Bree really wasn’t wearing clothes for soccer.


“Really?” Bree wasn’t sure if the kids meant it. They were several years older.


“Really. We start practice at ten. We have a game later but we practice around ten.”


“Okay, but I have to ask my Da…my father,” Bree replied trying to sound a bit older.


“See ya tomorrow,” the kid said sincerely.


“Bye!” Bree waved.


“You play soccer?” David asked with new respect for the petite blond girl.


“Sure. My Dada taught me. He won trophies in college. I’m going to win them too.” Bree had trophies that she won in other tournaments but she thought those were for kids. She wanted a trophy like her father won at Penn State.


Bree and David climbed all over the jungle gym until David’s father called him over. It was getting close to dinnertime and they had to go. Bree and David said goodbye and made a tentative play date. Brian shook Joel’s hand before they parted company.


“Did you have fun?” Brian asked as they began to walk toward the hotel.


“Oh yes, Dada! I had the bestest time,” Bree beamed. “My new friend, David, is very nice. Can we come back tomorrow at ten? Those kids want me to practice soccer with them. Pleeezzz, Dada!” Bree pleaded.


“I’m not sure, Squirt. I have a meeting in the morning,” Brian answered as he stood on the corner of the street deciding which way to go.


“Oh,” Bree said, her face visibly falling.


“Let me think about it and check my schedule before you get all sad, okay, Squirt?”


“Okay, Dada.” Bree perked up a bit. If there was a way for Brian Kinney to be in two places at once, he would, especially for Bree. Bree skipped along by her father’s side back to the hotel.


 


*****

 



“Hey, Sunshine!” Brian called out when he entered their hotel suite. Justin was sitting in the main room studying a brochure from the gallery.


“You’re late, I was sure you’d beat me back,” Justin said as he stood to get a hello kiss from his spouse. Bree squiggled in between them to get kisses of her own. “I was about to send out a search party,” Justin teased.


“Miss Thing here, was very busy making friends and organizing soccer practice,” Brian teased back.


“Oh Dada!” Bree said with a roll of her eyes. “But, Daddy, I did meet a boy named David and he played on the seesaw with me and some older kids do want me to come back in the morning so I can practice with them. Can I? Pleeezzz?” Bree batted her blue eyes at both her parents.


“I don’t have a problem with that but my meeting’s at eight,” Brian explained. “If I get done fast enough, I can take you. The office is close by.”


“I can go as your assistant,” Bree suggested, in a very business-like manner. Justin stifled a laugh. Brian sucked in his lips.


“Did you bring business-like clothes?” Brian asked in all seriousness.


“Yes, Dada,” Bree assured him.


“Well, then, Miss Bree, you can be my official Kinnetik assistant on this trip,” Brian said as he grabbed Justin’s wrist to check his watch then he picked up the room phone to call Cynthia. “Cyn, I have Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor, my assistant, here. Can you bring her up to speed regarding our client? Yes, that’s what I said,” Brian responded in answer to Cynthia’s question. “Just fax it here.” Brian read off the number the concierge had given him. There was a fax in the office part of their suite. “Thanks, Cyn. I’ll let you know how it goes. Here she is,” Brian said then handed the phone to Bree.


“Hi, Miss Cynthia,” Bree said into the phone then sat to listen to what Cynthia was telling her.


“Are you sure about this?” Justin asked Brian while Brian changed his clothes.


“No, I’m not sure but the purpose of this trip is to mix business with pleasure and spend time with you and Bree. Right now this is the best I can come up with.”


“She could come with me,” Justin offered.


“She could but then she’d grow bored and think of more colorful phrases to describe Miss Williams. We have a more serious problem to discuss right now,” Brian said before Justin could lecture him about his evil ways.


“What’s that?” Justin asked softly as he wrapped his arms around Brian’s trim waist and leaned his head on Brian’s chest.


“What to do about dinner,” Brian whispered as he hugged back.

 

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Up, Up and Away


Chapter 3


 

I’m hungry and my daddies are locked in their room. I can hear them laughing. I like it when they’re happy, it makes me happy too. But I’m hungry, my tummy’s making noises. Maybe I can get them to notice me. Daddy told me to take a shower before dinner. I played a lot at the park, so I was stinky. Dada got that look in his eye when Daddy said the word shower. Dada thought a shower was a great idea so he grabbed my Daddy’s hand and took him to their room. I heard their shower go on so I went to take mine. But they weren’t ready when I came out of my room.


“Quit it, Brian,” Bree heard her Daddy say with a giggle when she stood at their door. Bree heard her Dada murmur something softly to her Daddy and then her Daddy whispered her Dada’s name.


“Dada? Daddy?” Bree called out as she knocked on the door. “Dada, I’m hungry.” All noises stopped coming from her fathers’ room.


“We’ll be right out, Squirt!” Bree heard her Dada say. Bree smiled to herself then went back to the living room to sit on the sofa and wait. Within minutes her daddies were in the living room and dressed for dinner.


“Sorry, Baby Girl,” Justin said breathlessly as he leaned down to give Bree a kiss.


“You ready, Squirt?” Brian asked Bree as he scooped her up into his arms and swung her around. Bree laughed wildly. Justin shook his head at Brian’s antics. Bree continued to laugh until Brian stopped and held the petite child close to his chest. Bree hugged her father tightly.


For the briefest of moments, Brian allowed himself to revel in his emotions. Bree was his little girl and growing up fast. Soon their baby girl would be a ‘tweener’ and soon after that, all grown up. Brian sighed as he buried his face in Bree’s baby fine strawberry blond hair. Sensing her Dada just needed a little extra love, Bree hugged him harder. Brian slowly extended one arm, Justin immediately went to him, completing their little circle.


“Okay?” Justin asked softly then, barely getting a nod in response.


“I’m ready for dinner, Dada,” Bree said quietly. “Where are we going to eat?” Bree asked, still safe within her father’s strong arms.


“Good question,” Brian said after he cleared his throat. “We have a very early day tomorrow.”


“This hotel has an excellent restaurant according to their ratings. Why don’t we go down there?” Justin suggested.


“Great idea, Sunshine,” Brian said as he gave Justin a squeeze and then a kiss to the top of the blond head.


After giving Bree one more hug and a kiss, Brian gently put her down. Each taking a hand, the fathers led their daughter out of their room and down to dinner.


 


*****

 



“Good evening, sirs,” the maitre d’ said as the family approached the doorway of the main dining room in the hotel.


“Evening,” Brian replied making it clear to the man that he was the one to deal with. “Table for three.”


“Do you have a reservation?” the man asked.


“No.”


“Hm.” The maitre d’ scanned some papers in front of him. All of the family could see several empty tables just waiting for diners to arrive. “Perhaps the young lady would be more comfortable at the café than in our main dining area,” he said after a few seconds.


“The young lady likes this place just fine … that is, provided we get seated promptly,” Brian added with emphasis on ‘promptly’. He wasn’t sure if he was dealing with a homophobe or someone who hated kids. Either way he didn’t like it.


“Of course, sir,” the man said. “Follow me.”


Brian gave Justin a look as they proceeded to the designated table. It was off in a corner, but not in front of the kitchen door which Brian would not have put up with. He thought the maitre d’ was probably placing them strategically so that they would not be visible to most of the restaurant.


“Is this table satisfactory, sir?” the man asked as he set down the menus at their place settings.


“If the table wasn’t satisfactory, I’d certainly let you know,” Brian stated before pulling out his chair.


The maitre d’ held the chair for Bree, making sure she was close enough to the table once she was seated. That gave him a slight upgrade from Brian’s first impression of the man.


“Thank you,” Bree said with a smile.


“You’re most welcome,” the maitre d’ replied once he realized that Bree possessed some good manners.


“My name is Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree stated. “What’s your name?”


The man looked surprised but he quickly replied, “Rudolph.”


Brian groaned inwardly, thinking that Bree would probably make some comment like “Just like the reindeer.” After all that’s what he was thinking.


“Thank you, Mr. Rudolph,” Bree repeated. “We’re going to be here for several days, so maybe we’ll see you again. I like to know people’s names.”


Rudolph couldn’t prevent the small smile that curled the corners of his mouth. “It will be my pleasure to seat you whenever you grace our restaurant, Miss Briana,” Rudolph replied. He smiled his approval of Bree’s manners at Brian and Justin.


“You can call me Bree, everybody does.”


“Certainly, Miss Bree.”


Bree smiled up at the man, earning a smile in return. Brian wondered how often Rudolph ever smiled at his customers, or how often he actually had a conversation with them.


“I’ll send your waiter, Shaun, right over,” Rudolph said, “so that you may order drinks if you wish.” He hustled away after a brief tip of his head.


“Well that was … interesting,” Brian observed as he picked up his menu.


“Interesting?” Justin asked. “I thought we were going to be turned away.”


“I have to say I did too … for just a moment,” Brian agreed. “Bree, where did you learn to ask people’s names like that?” Brian was curious. It certainly wasn’t something he ever did. He could have cared less.


“Miss Cynthia told me that I should always introduce myself when clients came into Kinnetik. It makes them feel more at ease knowing who they are talking to,” Bree explained sensibly.


“Well, you certainly made an impression on Rudolph,” Justin said.


Bree giggled. “I wanted to ask him if he was named after Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, but I didn’t think that would be polite.”


“Good restraint,” Brian stated with a smile of approval.


Justin gave him a raised eyebrow while Brian merely smirked.


“Good evening, I’ll be serving you tonight,” a youngish man said as he arrived at their table. “My name is Shaun.”


“Hi, I’m Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree replied.


“Nice to meet you, Miss Briana,” Shaun replied with a genuine smile. “Would you like anything to drink before your meal?”


“Do you have a nice beer on tap?” Brian asked.


“Alexander Keith is very popular,” Shaun answered.


“I’ll have that.”


“Me too,” Justin said.


“And for the young lady?” Shaun asked.


“What can I have, Dada?” Bree questioned her father, a frown creasing her brow. She didn’t want water or orange juice.


“We make an excellent Shirley Temple,” Shaun suggested.


“Yes, please,” Bree responded. She liked the sound of that.


“I’ll be back in a couple of minutes with your drinks,” Shaun stated. “Oh, and the fish special is pickerel, and ribs for the main course.” Shaun walked away having told his charges their other options.


“I think I’ll have ribs,” Justin said. “I haven’t had those in a long time.”


“Can I have ribs?” Bree asked.


“They’re awfully messy, Bree,” Justin warned.


“I’ll be careful, Daddy,” Bree promised. “They sound really good.”


“Okay,” Justin gave in. “What are you going to have, Brian?”


“I think I’ll try the fish. I don’t know if I’ve ever had pickerel before.”


“Here are your drinks,” Shaun said as he returned to the table with a tray of glasses. For my lady,” he added with a bow as he placed a glass full of a red liquid in front of Bree. “I hope it meets with your approval.”


Bree giggled before taking a sip. “Yum,” she replied. “Excellent suggestion.”


“I’m so glad it meets with your approval,” Shaun grinned as he set the two beers in front of the men. “Are you ready to order?”


“Yes, I believe so,” Brian said.


“I’ll have the pickerel, Justin and Bree will have the ribs.”


“We can make a child sized portion for the young lady, if you wish,” Shaun suggested.


“That would be a good idea,” Brian agreed.


“Yes, we hate to waste food,” Justin added.


“We do?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow. “I thought you always enjoyed whatever was left on the plates.”


“A-hole,” Justin mouthed while Shaun stifled a chuckle.


Once they had all their choices made for potatoes and veggies, Shaun headed for the kitchen to place their order.


The Kinney-Taylor family had a leisurely dinner, enjoying all their food. They talked about plans for the next day, and how Bree would take her soccer clothes in her messenger bag to the business meeting in the morning. Hopefully, if all went well, Bree would be able to get to her 10 o’clock soccer practice.


“Daddy,” Bree said after a while, “I’m full. Do you want the rest of my ribs?”


“Sure, sweetheart,” Justin replied, before turning to glare at his smirking husband. “I hope that pickerel is sitting like a glutinous lump in your gut,” Justin added with pretend malice.


“Actually, it was very light and delicious,” Brian responded with that supercilious look on his face that would make his enemies want to drive a stake through his heart. Justin merely laughed. “You are supposed to be duly chastised by my words. You’re not supposed to laugh,” Brian told him.


“Sorry to disappoint you, O Great King of Snark, but I memorized the Kinney Operating Manual many years ago, and it will take much more than those feeble words to get to me.”


Brian shook his head and grinned at his husband. Justin smiled regally and enjoyed his moment of triumph.


“Daddy, Dada, you guys are silly,” Bree professed.


“You think so?” Brian asked in mock astonishment. “I would have thought that you would be onto me like your father is.”


“Huh?” Bree said not getting what her father meant.


“Ignore him, sweetheart,” Justin warned his daughter. “He is very silly.”


“I thought so,” Bree replied.


Justin finished his daughter’s remaining ribs. Shaun came to clear their plates.


“Can I offer you coffee or dessert, or an after dinner drink?” Shaun asked.


“I’m stuffed,” Justin said squelching a belch that threatened to escape.


“Me too, Daddy,” Bree agreed.


“Me three,” Brian threw in. “Just bring us the bill.”


“Of course,” Shaun said balancing his load of plates on his arm.


“I could use some exercise,” Justin said while they waited for the bill. “Maybe we should go for a walk.”


“I don’t know about that,” Brian said. “Bree’s had a busy day already.”


“I’m good, Dada. Let’s walk.”


Brian took the bill from Shaun, noting that Bree’s dinner was half the price of the adult meals. He appreciated that Shaun had made that effort for them. He added a generous tip and signed the check.


“I hope to see you again,” Shaun said as he picked up the folder containing the bill.


“Me too,” Bree replied.


Brian and Justin smiled and nodded before they headed to the exit where Rudolph was still at his station.


“I hope you all enjoyed your meal,” he said.


“Oh yes, Mr. Rudolph,” Bree responded. “I had ribs and a Shirley Temple.”


“Excellent choice,” Rudolph affirmed.


“I enjoyed my meal very much too, thank you,” Justin added. Brian merely nodded as they left.


They walked up and down the street outside their hotel looking at the bright lights of the city. They could see the CN Tower lit up in the distance, and they decided that would be a definite stop when they had some free time.


After a walk of a few blocks in each direction they returned to the lobby. Justin took Bree up to their suite while Brian spoke with the concierge. He wanted to make some arrangements to do some of the things they had talked about. He particularly liked the idea of a trip to Niagara Falls, and the concierge provided some possible ways of doing that. When Brian returned to the suite, Bree was asleep in her room, and Justin was dozing in their bed. Brian decided an early night was the best thing for all of them. He headed to the shower.


 


*****

 



Brian’s second shower of the evening wasn’t nearly as exciting as his first, but with Bree asleep and Justin almost there, Brian used his time in the shower to meditate over his agenda. Under the cool water that was sluicing over his body, Brian pondered his situation. If he was honest with himself he’d have to admit he was a little nervous. Brian hadn’t been asked to close a deal in a long time. His people always closed their own contracts but Mr. Waldon had asked for Brian specifically. Brian’s suspicious nature had made sure he had all the facts on one Philip Waldon, head of Waldon Industries. Philip Waldon, a self-made millionaire, was the manufacturer of all sorts of components that went into everyday items. It was Kinnetik’s job to make the components look sexy. Well if anyone could make a diode look sexy it was Kinnetik!


Brian turned off the water and grabbed a towel to wipe himself down. He frowned at the towel for a split second; it was good quality but not the best that Brian had in his home. Brian chuckled to himself. Gods! He was a snob. The once poor trash from the wrong side of the tracks was now such a snob that he was critiquing bath towels. Brian stared at his reflection in the mirror.


“Not bad,” he murmured at his relatively unlined face. He turned slightly to examine his profile. There were a few lines near the corners of his eyes. He smiled making the lines more prominent. “Laugh lines. Who’d ever have thought Brian Kinney would have laugh lines.” Brian snorted.


Brian went into the bedroom and stood at the edge of the bed for a few minutes. Justin looked like a lost angel in the large bed, buried under the blanket. It was August but the air conditioner was keeping the room very cool. Brian smiled, Justin still looked like that sweet seventeen year old trick that never went away. Brian contemplated getting into bed but decided against it. He wanted to go over the Waldon contracts and campaign one more time. He threw on his old faded jeans and a wifebeater then went to the living room area of the suite. He called room service for a pot of coffee then checked on Bree one more time before opening his briefcase to take out his contracts and laptop.


Brian was halfway through the contract when there was a gentle knock on the door.


“Room Service!” came the announcement as Brian went to open the door. Brian smirked and cocked his head as the good looking waiter pushed a cart with a silver coffee service through the door. The waiter was going over Brian with an appreciative eye.


“On the table,” Brian said with a slight purr. He could see the waiter take a gulp of air but quickly recovered so that he could set up the tray on the table that Brian was working from.


“Anything else I can do for you, sir? I’ll be working all night,” the waiter added as he pushed his cart toward the door.


“No thank you,” Brian replied politely as he signed the check then gave the waiter a generous tip for putting up with the teasing.


“If you change your mind, just ask for Gregory,” the waiter said with his sexiest smile. Brian just nodded as he shut the door behind the waiter then followed the aroma of the fine coffee to the table and to the business at hand.


With all thoughts of flirty waiters gone, Brian poured his first cup, added his pound of sugar and got back to work.


 


*****

 



“What time is it?” a mumbled voice from under the blanket asked. Brian glanced at the clock on the bedside table.


“Just after one, sorry I woke you,” Brian replied softly as he scooted under the blanket toward Justin. Brian knew he’d get a good solid six hours sleep; he was very satisfied with the campaign and the contracts. “Go back to sleep.”


“Love you,” Justin murmured as he leaned close to Brian then kissed the nearest available piece of Brian his lips could find.


“Love you too, Sunshine,” Brian murmured as he wrapped his longer frame around his mate then followed him into sleep.


 


*****

 



“Mr. Waldon, Brian Kinney and my assistant Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Brian boldly told Philip Waldon with an outstretched arm as they were shown into the man’s office. Waldon stood and stepped around his desk to greet Brian and Bree.


“Mr. Kinney,” Waldon said formally and then extended his hand toward Bree. “And Miss Kinney-Taylor, very nice to meet you. I’ve heard good things about you from Cynthia Morgan.”


“Briana is acting as my assistant on this trip,” Brian said proudly and with just enough of an edge in his voice, waiting for the challenge he thought might come.


“It’s very gratifying knowing that your children are interested in your work,” Waldon commented without losing a beat. “My daughter interned here while she was in high school. She wants a job when she’s done at university. She’ll have to earn it, of course.”


“Of course,” Brian agreed.


Bree stayed quiet, sensing this was an adult moment. She primly sat in the offered chair, sitting straight up then taking out a small notepad and pen to make notes of the meeting like Cynthia had taught her. Brian nodded his approval, sitting in his own chair then swinging his briefcase onto his lap. The meeting commenced with little further fanfare.


“Would you care for a tour of the plant?” Waldon offered after the contracts were signed, sealed and exchanged much to everyone’s satisfaction.


“We have time for a quick one. Bree has an engagement at ten,” Brian added with mirth. Waldon raised his eyebrows. “She made some friends yesterday at the park and they’ve invited her to play soccer,” Brian added.


“I see. Healthy exercise is a good idea, especially nowadays when kids plant themselves in front of the TV or the computer for hours,” Waldon commented. “We’ll make this an abbreviated tour so that Miss Briana can make her engagement,” Waldon stated with a twinkle in his eyes. He and Brian exchanged a knowing look then Bree and Brian followed Waldon through a small part of his plant.


“The labels are color coded,” Bree stated. For some reason she was drawn to the color of the packaging.


“Yes, the color indicates the size or the power of the component inside,” the plant foreman explained.


“Oh,” Bree said as she examined the open package the foreman handed to her. Brian sucked in his lips and waited. He had noted the look on Bree’s face. He had seen that look hundreds of times on his own face when he was working out a campaign or on Justin’s face when he had a project in mind. Brian called it an “aha!” look.


Bree peered into the box then took out the plain black diode. “Wouldn’t it be pretty if the diode matched the color of the label?” Bree murmured more to herself than anyone else.


“That’s an interesting idea, Miss Briana,” Waldon said to her. “And what would we do with colorful components?” he asked in all seriousness. Bree looked to her father for affirmation. She smiled when Brian nodded.


“Lots of electrical things are made see-through and with lots of colored lights. It would be pretty if the other com-po-nents matched,” Bree said, carefully pronouncing her words. “Or maybe toys where all the colors are the same,” Bree murmured.


“That’s a very interesting idea, Miss Briana. If we decide to pursue that line, we’ll have to cut you in on the proceeds,” Waldon said with a wink.


“Thank you,” Bree said, not quite sure what she was thanking Mr. Waldon for, but it sounded right.


Brian took a quick look at a clock on the wall. There was just enough time for Bree to change and for them to get a quick snack and then get to the park. Brian had them driven to the appointment so they wouldn’t have to rush anywhere.


“Thank you, Miss Briana, it was a pleasure meeting you and your father,” Waldon said as he shook her hand. “I look forward to a very profitable association,” Waldon stated as he firmly shook Brian’s hand.


“Welcome to the Kinnetik family,” Brian said warmly returning the handshake. As Philip Waldon showed them out, he pointed down the street.


“There’s a nice friendly diner just at the corner, if Miss Briana would care for a snack before she hits the soccer field.”


“Great idea,” Brian confirmed. “Thank you again.” Brian signaled to his driver then led Bree down the street.


Waldon and his foreman watched Kinney and Bree walk down the street. “You know that is a good idea the kid has,” the foreman said to Waldon.


“Yes, it is. I’ve seen similar products but didn’t think it was worth making the change, although it wouldn’t be that expensive. Alison thought we should have gimmicks when we go to the trade shows. Maybe mock up diodes in different colors with the matching LED lights.”


“Yeah,” the foreman agreed with an enthusiastic smile. “Could be a sideline toy for our clients,” he added thinking out loud.


“Hmm,” Waldon mumbled as Brian and Bree disappeared from view.

 

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Up, Up and Away


Chapter 4


 




“They’re over there, Dada.” Bree pointed to the soccer field filled with kids adjacent to the playground. “Should I go?” Bree asked her father, a little uncertain of herself. The kids were strangers and older than her, they certainly were much bigger than Bree.


Brian, who had changed out of his suit at the diner, led Bree toward the soccer field. They stood at the sidelines for a few minutes watching the kids play. There was an extra ball leaning up against the fence. Brian picked it up then took Bree further down the field.


“Let’s show them your stuff, Squirt. I guarantee they’ll come to you,” Brian said with confidence.


Brian began to put Bree through her paces. A natural competitiveness had developed between the two of them. Brian didn’t hold back, but he did shorten his movements to compensate for their size difference. Within minutes they garnered an audience.


“You’re good,” one of the kids called out to Bree. “You want to play with us for a while? Show us some of your moves?” Bree stopped running and smiled brilliantly. “You her coach?” the kid asked Brian. Brian nodded.


“My Da...”


“Yes, I am, and Bree wouldn’t mind practicing with you guys for a while,” Brian said, interrupting before Bree could go on about Brian’s soccer past and trophies.


“Cool!” the kid exclaimed as they all went back to the main practice field. Brian stood on the sidelines watching his little soccer star run circles around her opponents.


“She’s good,” Joel, the man Brian had met the other day commented from the other side of the fence.


“Yes, she is,” Brian replied honestly as he turned to see Joel. “Does your son play?” David was currently on a swing.


“He’s more into hockey,” Joel boasted. Brian nodded then sighed to himself. He could handle having a soccer star in the family; he wasn’t too fond of hockey. “No potential hockey stars in your family?” Joel asked with a smirk.


“Not that I know of. My son’s a computer geek and my nephew is trying to be Goose Gossage. Other than him, there’s no sporting stars in the family.”


“No artists?” Joel cocked his head toward Bree who just happened to score a goal. Brian cheered as he clapped his hands.


“Actually Bree is quite the little artist. She likes to paint with her father. And my son the geek is not only getting his MBA at Penn but he’s also finishing up a degree at PIFA,” Brian said proudly.


“Talk about over achiever!”


“Yeah, well...”


“Heads up!” A shout got Brian’s attention just as a wayward ball hurtled toward him. Brian skillfully deflected the ball with his head back into play. With that, the practice came to a halt.


“Did you see me, Dada?” Bree came running over then threw herself into Brian’s arms.


“Yes, I did, Squirt, and you were great,” Brian said as he hugged his sweaty little soccer player. Bree and Brian said goodbye to the kids as they each gathered up their stuff and walked off the field. The soccer players let Bree know that she would be welcome at their next practice.


“Can I, Dada?” Bree asked Brian with large hopeful eyes.


“Let’s consult the family calendar before we make any commitments,” Brian stated.


“Okay, Dada. Can I play with David for a while?” Bree asked. She saw David on a swing.


“Sure,” Brian said as he carried her to the playground, not willing to let Bree go just yet. When they entered the playground, Brian gave Bree a peck to her head then set her free. Bree ran over to her new friend to play. “I don’t think I ever had that much energy,” Brian mumbled to himself as he and Joel found an empty bench. Joel made noises of agreement as he sat to watch the kids play.


 


*****

 



“Hey,” Justin greeted Brian as he walked toward the bench Brian and Joel had commandeered.


“Hey,” Brian replied with a smile and a discreet kiss to Justin’s cheek. “What time is it?” Brian asked as he grabbed Justin’s wrist. It was close to two. “I’m surprised someone’s stomach hasn’t complained,” Brian managed to say just as Bree ran over to announce...


“Hi, Daddy! This is my new friend David and we’re hungry,” Bree exclaimed, her cheeks were flush from exercise. David smiled shyly as the three fathers laughed.


“I think lunch is a great idea. It’s actually the reason why I escaped from the gallery. I think I’ve had enough of Miss Williams for a while,” Justin explained.


“There’s a nice diner not too far from here or we can go back to Woody’s?” Brian suggested.


“They do make a mean burger,” Joel stated with authority. David nodded.


“Woody’s it is,” Justin said as they gathered up their things and walked out of the park.


 


*****

 



The small group was crowded around a table at Woody’s, everyone munching on a burger, except for Brian who had ordered his usual turkey on whole wheat with no mayo. He was, however, snatching a French fry every now and then off Bree’s plate.


“So what do you do, Joel?” Justin asked when he slowed down enough to swallow and clear his mouth.


“I’m a writer.”


“A writer?” Justin questioned. “What kind of books?”


“Mostly children’s books at the moment, but like any writer, I have a great American novel that I’m working on.” Joel gave a nervous little chuckle as he admitted this.


“What’s it about?” Justin asked as he finished off his burger.


“I really feel funny discussing it with someone I don’t know very well. It’s very personal,” Joel said softly. He seemed to regret not being able to be more forthright.


“I understand,” Justin replied quickly. “My artwork is very personal.”


“But you don’t mind putting my di… bodily parts out there for the world to see,” Brian threw in.


“Yeah, like you’re so bashful,” Justin said with a grin. Brian smirked in reply.


“I’ve seen some of your paintings of your husband,” Joel said with a grin. Brian groaned. “You’re quite beautiful, Mr. Kinney.”


“If you’ve seen my … parts, you can at least call me Brian.”


“Of course … Brian.”


I wish they’d talk about something other than Dada’s body. I know what he looks like, but strangers always seem to talk about those pictures. They wink and laugh. I don’t like it. My Daddy paints lots of other things that are just as good, or maybe better.


I wish there was something me and David could do while they talk. Maybe he has some ideas.


Bree leaned over and whispered to David. After a moment she sat up and smiled.


“Dada?”


“Yes, Squirt.”


“David and me don’t want to listen to you talk about body parts. He said he’ll show me how to play pool. Can I, Dada, please?”


“Do you play pool, David?” Brian asked.


“Yes, sir. My dads taught me.”


“Be careful that you don’t rip the felt,” Joel cautioned his son. “You may need a chair for Bree.”


“I don’t need no chair,” Bree protested.


“Yes you do, Squirt, and listen to what David tells you,” Brian admonished. He fully intended keeping a close eye on his daughter and her new “teacher”.


They all watched as David took Bree to an empty pool table. He selected cues for them and set up the balls. They could see David explaining what he was doing and how to hold the cue. Bree climbed up on a chair so that she could lean over the table and line up a shot. David had her break, and she did not a half bad job of it. She looked at her Dada for approval and he winked at her in reply.


“They’ll be fine,” Joel said. “David’s been playing for over a year. He’s getting quite good at it.”


The men sat back and relaxed, each keeping one eye on the children.


“So, what’s your partner’s name?” Justin asked.


Joel took a drink of his Diet Coke. “Andrew.”


“What does he do?” Brian decided to ask.


“Andrew is an accountant.”


“An accountant?” Brian said with disbelief.


“Yes, an accountant,” Joel replied rather testily. “Is that a problem?”


“No, no, not at all,” Brian reassured him. “One of our … friends is an accountant.”


“Our good friend, Ted, is an accountant,” Justin corrected. “He works at Kinnetik with Brian.”


“How do you find working with friends?” Joel asked. “I could see where that might cause some problems.”


“Ted is indispensible. He’s the CFO at Kinnetik. He also does a lot more than that. I’d say he’s one of the most valuable people who work for me,” Brian said honestly.


“That’s quite a testimonial,” Joel observed.


“Yeah, I guess it is,” Brian responded as he thought about what he had just revealed about Ted’s value to him at Kinnetik. And that said nothing about his value as a friend.


 


*****

 



David’s really good at pool. I’m much taller when I’m up on this chair. I wonder if I can learn to play pool while we’re in Toronto, and then I can beat my Patrick when we go home. I’d like that.


I think my cue is too long, but they don’t have anything shorter. David says I can do it though. I guess I just have to try harder.


“Let the cue slide in and out of your fingers till you get the feel of it,” David instructed.


Bree tried what the boy suggested. It felt funny but she saw the logic of what he was having her do.


“When do I get to hit a ball?” Bree asked after a couple of minutes of practicing with the cue.


“In a minute,” David said as he watched her. Bree kept sliding the cue between her fingers. “That’s good,” David finally said. “Now point your cue at that ball.” David pointed at a colorful ball that Bree was to try to hit.


“How do you know which one to pick?” Bree asked while she tried to get the cue lined up with the ball he had pointed to.


“You’ll learn to look at the whole table and pick which balls you can get in the pocket real easy.”


“Oh. Should I try to hit the ball now?”


“No.”


“Why not?” Bree asked with a frown.


“If I drew a line along your pool cue and followed it to the ball and then beyond, where would it end up?” he asked.


“Um…” Bree studied what he was talking about. “It would hit that side over there.” Bree pointed to where she thought the ball would go.


“That’s right,” David agreed. “But that’s not where you want it to go. We want to get it in that pocket over there.”


“Oh.” Bree rethought what she was doing and how she was aiming at the ball.


“My dad says it’s all a matter of mathematics,” David stated sagely.


“That’s what my Patrick says about throwing a baseball sometimes,” Bree added. She pointed the cue, drew back and hit the ball. It almost went into the pocket, but hit at just the wrong angle and bounced away. “Bad,” Bree said dejectedly.


“That’s pretty good, Bree. Sometimes people can’t make it go anywhere on their first try.”


“So I did good?”


“You did very good.”


“Thanks,” Bree said giving David one of her best smiles. Pleased with what she had accomplished, Bree sat down on her chair. “Do you have a grandma?” Bree asked.


David shook his head. “My dads told me that their parents are all gone.”


“Oh. My Dada’s mother passed away last year. I miss her so much. We used to travel together. She went to New York with me. We did lots of stuff together.”


“That’s too bad.”


“Yeah,” Bree agreed.


“Is the lesson over?” Brian asked as he approached the pool table.


“I hit the ball and almost got it in the … pocket,” Bree informed him.


“That’s good, Squirt. It’s not easy to get it to go where you want it to when you’re just starting.”


“She did good,” David said.


“Sounds like she had a good teacher,” Brian said ruffling David’s red hair.


“Do you want to play?” Bree asked.


“Not right now. Daddy has to get back to the gallery,” Brian explained.


“It’s time to go,” Joel told his son as he and Justin joined them. “We were thinking about taking David to Niagara Falls this weekend,” he added. “Would you be interested in joining us?”


“It’s my opening at the gallery,” Justin said. “I’ll have to be there all day Saturday, and part of Sunday.”


“That’s too bad.”


“You could scope out the good things for us to do,” Brian suggested.


“Actually, I’d love to come to your opening if you have a spare ticket or two,” Joel hinted to Justin.


“I can certainly arrange that,” Justin said with a smile. “I’d love to have you come, and bring Andrew of course.”


“That would be wonderful. Maybe we can work out something else about going to Niagara Falls. That would be a fun day if we all went together.”


Brian raised an eyebrow at Joel’s suggestion, but Justin seemed in complete agreement. It looked like they were going to have some travel companions. “Come on, Squirt, we need to get your Daddy back to the gallery.


 


*****

 



“There you are!” Marcus Krupp greeted Justin, et al, as they walked through the gallery doors. “I thought you may have gotten lost. I have a surprise for you,” Krupp gushed as he took Justin’s elbow and steered him away from Brian and Bree. Bree wasn’t sure what to make of it but waited to see how her elder father was going to react.


“The press,” was all Krupp said with an ear to ear grin. Justin just stared up at the man. “Yes, my boy, the press is all ready to get an exclusive interview with you,” Krupp said eagerly.


“I’m not dressed for the press,” Justin murmured as he looked down at his grubby old t-shirt and cargo pants. He was dressed for moving and shifting paintings around not for impressing art critics and journalists. At home, Sidney and Kinnetik carefully handled the gallery’s publicity. In London, Charles Higgins had everything well planned so that Justin wouldn’t have any surprises. Justin wasn’t prepared.


Brian snarled softly to himself; he could see Justin’s anxiety level rise again. Things seemed to be happening very haphazardly and not at all to Brian’s liking.


“Mr. Krupp,” Brian began as he subtly disengaged Krupp from Justin then steered the exuberant man slightly away. “Kinnetik handles the PR for the Bloom Gallery; I’m very familiar with the press. Justin, well, you know how these temperamental artists can be,” Brian said in hushed tones and a conspiratorial wink to Krupp. “He needs a few moments to prepare and clean up a little,” Brian whispered.


“I see,” Krupp said as he seriously considered Brian’s suggestion. “Hmm, maybe I was a little hasty. We’re just so proud to have Justin Taylor here, I may have gotten a little carried away,” Krupp admitted.


“Understandable,” Brian commiserated. “Give me a few minutes with Justin. I’m sure the press would love a sneak preview but you mustn’t give away the whole show,” Brian cautioned.


“Oh no, of course not! Everything is covered except for the florals. We made no promises,” Krupp assured Brian.


“Good man!” Brian schmoozed so not to make the situation any more difficult or offend their host. “Do you think you can give us about fifteen minutes?” Brian asked.


“I’m sure I can keep the press occupied for that time,” Krupp said with a knowing smile.


“Good, then Justin will make his entrance in fifteen,” Brian said as he grabbed Justin and Bree and shoved them in the nearest ladies room. He quickly took out his cell phone to dial up the driver of their car.


“Brian, this is the ladies room!” Justin started to protest.


“I know,” Brian said to Justin and then into his phone, “Pull up in front.” Brian snapped his phone shut. “Bree help your Daddy wash up.” Justin was a little dusty. “And take off that t-shirt. I’ll be right back.” Brian flew out the door while Justin took off his soiled shirt and began to wash his face.


As promised, Brian was back in a few minutes and carrying the garments he and Bree wore several hours earlier at their meeting with Philip Waldon.


“This isn’t going to work,” Justin whined.


“Yes, it will,” Brian reassured him as Brian checked out the dainty toiletries that were artfully arranged in elegant baskets in the lounge area of the restroom. “Bree, dampen some of those towels,” Brian commanded as he took charge. Bree had her Dada’s eye for fashion and trusted Brian to know how to fix things. She dutifully followed her father’s instructions.


Within ten minutes, Justin was cleaned up. His face, slightly flushed from being scrubbed, gave him a glow. He was wearing Brian’s designer shirt, with the sleeves neatly rolled up and the bottom tucked into the waist of the cargos. It gave Justin a sophisticated but casual look. Brian added his tie, but made it slightly loose around Justin’s neck. Brian’s belt finished off the look.


Brian pushed Justin back to scrutinize his handiwork.


“Good, Dada!” Bree added her approval.


“Mmm, needs one more thing,” Brian mumbled then grabbed Bree’s bag to rummage through it. “Yes!” Brian exclaimed as he gave Bree a grateful kiss for being her little fashionista self.


Brian took out a comb and a small tube of hair gel from Bree’s bag. He quickly dampened Justin’s hair, slicked it back then added a little gel to keep the blond locks in place.


“Yes!” both Bree and Brian exclaimed as they high fived and turned Justin around so he could see himself in the large mirror.


“Wow,” was the only thing Justin could say at his transformation. The uncertain expression on his face gave way to a more confident one.


“The rest is up to you, Sunshine. You’ve handled the press hundreds of times before,” Brian said as he stepped behind his mate and gazed at Justin in the mirror. “You can do this.”


Brian sported a confident smirk, his eyebrow slightly arched. Justin thought that the look was one of Brian’s sexiest looks. Brian’s look was a combination of confidence, sex appeal and ‘I don’t give a fuck.’


Justin took a deep breath then nodded. “Where will you guys be?” he asked just before he left the restroom.


“Bree and I will get cleaned up then wait for you. This is your show, Justin, we’re just window dressing,” Brian said as he shooed Justin out the door. Bree and Brian took a few minutes to get cleaned up and change into the clothes they wore that morning. Brian slipped his suit jacket over the undershirt he had worn then packed up their stuff.


“Ready, Squirt?” Brian called out. Bree had taken her clothes into one of the stalls to change.


“Ready, Dada!” Bree replied. She had taken her hair out of her ponytail to comb it. Brian gave the fine strawberry blond hair a little brush then replaced the clip. They turned to look at themselves in the mirror.


“Perfect!” they said in unison then laughed. Then they left the ladies room to lend their support to the most important person in their lives.


 


*****

 



“He’s quite amazing, isn’t he,” Ms. Williams stated as she stood off to one side and watched as Justin had the press eating out of his hands.


“Yes, he is,” Brian agreed as he watched Justin in full artist mode explain where his inspirations had come from and his vivid use of color. The photographers kept snapping away as reporters from different papers and publications came forward to ask their questions. Justin’s polite country club beginnings did his mother proud as he graciously answered every question. Bree smiled approvingly as she stood holding Brian’s hand.


“You must be very proud of him,” Ms. Williams commented.


“More than you can ever know,” Brian said wistfully.


“I read his bio. Was it true? His injury,” Ms. Williams asked tactfully, giving Bree a glance.


“Yes,” Brian answered seriously. “But that was a long time ago and he has moved beyond it.”


“I didn’t mean to offend,” Ms. Williams said.


“You didn’t, it’s just something we rarely talk about now. It’s there, it’s always there and it’s in his art but he’s so much more than that,” Brian said with admiration and love.


“Yes, I can see that,” Ms. Williams said with a smile. “He’s lucky to have someone who loves him so much,” she observed.


“I’m the lucky one,” Brian admitted.


There was a smattering of applause as the session ended. “That’s my cue. It’s over,” Ms. Williams explained as she went to assist Krupp in showing the members of the fifth estate out of the gallery.


“How was I?” Justin asked as he rejoined his family. He leaned up to give Brian a kiss then leaned down to give one to Bree.

 

“Perfect!” Bree and Brian said in unison. They all laughed then after a brief review of the next day’s agenda, Brian, Justin and Bree left the gallery to go back to the hotel.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Up, Up and Away


Chapter 5


 




“Brian…Brian…Brian!”


“What the fuck!” Brian rolled over and cracked open an eye. Justin was sitting on the side of the bed clutching at his stomach. “What’s going on?” Brian asked with a worried tone as he sat up in bed.


“Have you got any antacid?” Justin requested.


“You’re sick?”


“No, I just felt like sitting on the edge of the bed in the middle of the night while my stomach cramps,” Justin retorted, but he felt too shitty to put much force behind his words.


“Do you need a doctor?”


“I need a TUMS.”


“You know what TUMS…”


“If you say SMUT, I’m going to puke all over you,” Justin threatened as he threw Brian an evil look.


“I think we should call the front desk and ask for a doctor,” Brian said.


“Will you shut the fuck up and get me an antacid. Don’t you have some in your toiletry case?”


“I might.”


Brian headed for the bathroom and returned with a small bottle of TUMS. He tossed the bottle to Justin who quickly opened it and took two tablets. Brian watched his husband carefully, looking for signs that he should be taking Justin to the hospital.


Brian picked up the bottle. “Don’t you have a bottle like this in your case?”


“I did, but I used them all.”


“All? How many of these have you been downing?” he asked concerned.


“My stomach has been churning over this show,” Justin said by way of explanation.


“That doesn’t answer my question.”


“I don’t know how many. I just feel crampy and nauseous a lot of the time. I wish I had never agreed to do this fucking show.”


“You don’t have to do it if you don’t want to,” Brian told him.


“I signed a contract.”


“We can get out of it.”


“It would cost the earth.”


“We can cover it.”


“But … I don’t want to get a reputation as a welcher. My word means something.” Justin lay back on the bed. Apparently the pain in his stomach had eased.


“Are you feeling better?” Justin nodded. “Why has this show got you so worked up? You’ve been like a bear with a sore paw ever since we started getting ready for it.”


Justin shook his head. “I don’t know why it’s different. It just is. I’m … afraid something bad is going to happen.”


“To your paintings, to your show, to you…?” Brian asked.


“I don’t know. Maybe, any or all of the above.”


Brian sat down on the bed. “Is this a gut feeling?”


“Yeah.”


“How’s your real gut now?”


“Better.”


“SMUT is always good for what ails ya.”


Justin laughed in spite of himself. “Apparently you are correct.”


“I don’t like what this show is doing to you.”


“It was just indigestion,” Justin stated.


“Maybe so, but it shouldn’t be happening.”


“I’ll be fine.”


“You better be.”


“Aw, you care,” Justin said with a mischievous grin.


“And sometimes I wonder why I do,” Brian griped, not at all pleased by Justin’s frivolous answer.


“You know you love me,” Justin said rolling over and pulling Brian down on top of him. “And I want you to show me just how much.”


“My pleasure, Sunshine.”


“Mine too.”


 


*****

 



“What the fuck time is it?” Brian asked as he opened his eyes and saw by the amount of light streaming into their bedroom that it was probably much later than it should be. They had been fucking for a good portion of the night.


Justin groaned and looked at the clock. “Shit! It’s almost nine. I’m going to be late.”


“Since when does a gallery put you on a schedule? Technically you don’t have to be there at all until the opening.”


“Which is tomorrow,” Justin reminded him as he threw back the sheet and got out of bed.


“I wonder what Bree has been doing,” Brian said as he too got up. “Usually she’d be pounding on our door long before this.” He threw on some clothes. “You don’t think she’s…”


“Oh fuck!” Justin replied. He pulled on some sweatpants and raced to the bedroom door. He fumbled with the lock and finally got it to open. “Bree!” he shouted as he ran into the main room of the suite. He skidded to a stop when he realized what was before him. His mouth dropped open at the sight.


Bree sat at the dining room table which was situated to one side of the main room. She had obviously had breakfast since empty plates were all around her. She was reading a newspaper. She looked up nonchalantly as Justin burst into the room.


“Good morning, Daddy,” she said with a big smile.


“Wha…What are you doing?” Justin asked when he got his voice to work. Brian came up behind him and squeezed his shoulder.


“Reading the paper,” Bree responded as if it was the most natural thing in the world.


“How long have you been up, Squirt?” Brian asked.


“Forever,” was the brusque reply.


“Why didn’t you call us?”


“I did,” Bree stated emphatically. “I knocked on your door a million times, but you wouldn’t answer.”


“I guess we were really tired,” Justin said sheepishly. He glanced up at Brian who merely smirked.


“Real tired,” Brian said for emphasis. Justin gave him a gentle elbow to the ribs.


“So, how did you get breakfast?” Justin asked as he nodded towards the empty plates on the table.


“I was real hungry,” Bree replied.


“But where did the food come from?” Justin persisted.


“I called room service.”


“You did?” Justin asked in amazement.


“Daddy, I know how to read,” Bree stated as if she was talking to a small child. “I read the menu and then I called the number it said to call for room service.”


“And they brought it just like that?” Brian demanded. He was annoyed that they would indulge a child.


“They didn’t want to … at first. They asked to speak to you or Daddy.”


“And what did you say?” Brian continued.


“I said you were sleeping and that I was real hungry. I told them you would be very mad if I starved to death in their hotel.”


Brian tried unsuccessfully to stifle a laugh. That was his resourceful little daughter. She could do anything.


“So what did you have for breakfast?” Justin asked.


“I had fruit cocktail, scrambled eggs, orange juice and whole wheat toast,” Bree said proudly.


“That’s a very healthy breakfast,” Justin told his daughter.


“I know, Daddy. I thought I might like French toast, but I remembered that you said sugar isn’t good for me, and French toast is really sweet.”


“That was very wise of you, Squirt,” Brian said proudly.


“Thank you, Dada.”


“How would you like to order breakfast for Daddy and me while we go take a shower?”


“Sure, Dada,” Bree replied with a huge Taylor smile. “What would you like?”


“Order us something healthy,” Justin said earning a smile from Brian. “But throw in a side of bacon.”


“Pork-a-holic,” Brian teased as they turned to leave the room.


“Dada, look at this,” Bree said pointing to the newspaper. Brian went over to the table. New topiary garden opening, he read from the page. “Can we go there?” Bree asked. “It looks real neat.”


“Let Daddy and me get our shower, and then we’ll discuss it over breakfast.”


“Okay, Dada,” Bree agreed.


The two men headed for the shower. Bree picked up the room service menu and made her selections. She called down and told the person she was talking to that she was Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor from the Presidential Suite, and she was ordering breakfast for her fathers. She got immediate attention. When she was finished with her order, she decided to add one more item.


“And I’d like a big bowl of fresh strawberries – good ones,” she added.


“Of course, miss,” was the reply.


She loved strawberries and it was a long time since her own breakfast.


 


*****

 



“Justin, is your presence really required at the gallery today or is this just your paranoia acting up as well as your stomach,” Brian asked as their car pulled up in front of the Krupp gallery.


Justin took a moment to consider his mate’s question and Bree’s pleading look. “The paintings are all hung,” Justin murmured to himself.


“So what is left for you to do today?” Brian asked with a stern look. “The paintings are up; the PR has been long done and the reporters got to you already. Why can’t you spend some time with us?” Brian wanted Justin to take a break. He needed it; Justin’s stomach needed it. He deserved it. There was no logical reason for Justin to spend any more time at the gallery until the opening. The concierge at their hotel highly recommended the topiary display which was a yearly event. And the weather was perfect.


“Okay, let me run in and let Marcus and Miss Williams know,” Justin said as he opened the car door. Brian nodded with approval and Bree smiled.


“Yay!” she said as she bounced in her seat. “Hurry, Daddy,” Bree urged. “Dada, do you think he means it?” Bree asked pensively.


“I hope so,” Brian replied as he reached over to take Bree’s hand. Brian flipped through the colorful brochure that described the topiary garden. The large creatures were whimsical as well as superbly crafted. Brian was looking forwarded to spending a leisurely day looking at them with his family. The sound of the car door opening and Justin sliding in next to him broke Brian out of his reverie.


“Marcus agreed with you,” Justin said with a grin. “I don’t have to be here until tomorrow night,” Justin confirmed.


“Good,” Brian said as he directed their driver to take them to the topiary garden.


 


*****

 



“Ooooo!” Bree exclaimed, sounding so much like her Auntie Emm, as she walked through the gates to the garden. Brian and Justin exchanged looks and smiles as they followed closely behind their daughter.


“Dada, can I go look?” Bree begged. There were so many different displays that Bree couldn’t decide which one to go to first. Brian and Justin took a quick look around the grounds and judged them safe enough.


“Go ahead but stay within sight, please,” Brian said.


“Thank you, Dada!” Bree said brightly then sprinted over to the nearest display which was a large pond with topiary ducks taking flight.



 

Brian steered Justin over to a nearby bench and had him sit while he got them a couple bottles of water. Justin closed his eyes and held his head up to the sun.


“Okay?” Brian asked gently as he approached.


“Yeah,” Justin said softly as he opened his eyes and took the offered water. “This was a good idea,” Justin said in between sips. Bree ran over to borrow her fathers’ digital camera then ran back to take pictures of the “seals.”


“She’s having fun,” Brian commented as he watched Bree set up her shot, looking a lot like Gus when he was in full photographer’s mode. Brian pointed at her and smirked.


“She looks like Gus,” Justin said, reading his spouse’s thoughts. “I didn’t realize how much she picked up from him.”


“I didn’t realize how much she picked up from all of us,” Brian admitted.


“What do you mean?” Justin asked. Brian told him about some of the ideas Bree came up with during her brief stint at Kinnetik and her thoughts at Waldon Industries. “Wow!” was all that Justin could say.


“Both Ted and Cynthia agree that our daughter is brilliant, and both she and Gus will be able to take over Kinnetik with no problems. Providing that they want to,” Brian qualified.


“Gus, will,” Justin confirmed. “He’s said many times that he really wants to follow in your footsteps.” Justin looked down at Brian’s size 12’s and giggled. “At least he can fit in your Pradas.”


“Hey, you know what they say about men with big feet,” Brian quipped with a smug smile.


“Yeah, yeah,” Justin snorted. Bree ran back to them so she could get a drink then ran to take more pictures. “It’s so nice here.”


“Thinking of becoming a citizen? We can legally marry like Mikey and Ben.”


“No, I just like the quiet,” Justin said wistfully. “My stomach likes it too,” he said as he patted his tummy which wasn’t giving him any trouble at the moment.


“Spill, Sunshine, what the fuck’s been going on with you lately? You’ve been pissing off some of your fans and seem to have suddenly lost your confidence in your work. What’s been going on in that little blond head of yours?” Brian asked as he gave Justin’s head a gentle poke.


“I honestly don’t know, Bri. I have so many things in my head that I want to paint; it’s like there aren’t enough hours in the day.” Justin sounded so much like a little boy that it almost broke Brian’s heart.


They sat quietly, sipping their water and occasionally touching hands.


“I think you need a vacation,” Brian finally stated.


“We’re on vacation.”


“No, we’re just taking a break while we’re working. I’m talking about an honest to gods real vacation. No work, no sketch pad, no injuries, no walk through memory lane. Just you, me, maybe the Squirt, on an all inclusive beach resort somewhere before school starts.”


“Really?”


“Yeah, really. We’ve barely survived a year from hell, Sunshine. We deserve this. YOU deserve this. You’ve been taking care of me since Joanie died. It’s time I take care of you.”


Justin shook his head. “I didn’t take care of you.”


“Yes, you did and I freely admit it. From last Thanksgiving through Christmas all the way up to my birthday,” Brian stated.


“You said the ‘B’ word,” Justin teased as he bumped Brian’s shoulder.


“Yeah, well, I had a birthday. Justin, if I get on the phone now, I can have us sunning ourselves on a beach within a week. We do the opening, you suck up to the deep pockets and be nice to all of your fans then we’re outta here,” Brian said with a new determination. “We haven’t had a real family vacation in a very long time.”


“We’re always working,” Justin murmured.


“Yes, we are. We just need a few days to recharge. Then the Squirt goes back to school, I go back to work and you paint, without…”


“Without feeling so desperate about it,” Justin finished Brian’s thought.


“Sounds like we have a plan, Sunshine,” Brian said with a smile, turning on the charm. Justin visibly relaxed as he leaned on Brian.


“Dada! Daddy! Come and see,” Bree said as she ran up to their bench holding out both hands. Justin packed up their water bottles then the dads took one hand each to follow where Bree led them.


 


*****

 



The little family wandered through the topiaries admiring the beautiful, and sometimes humorous creations. Bree had mapped out her route. She wanted her daddies to see all the things she had already checked out.


“Look at the owl, Daddy,” Bree gushed. “He’s so cute. I love his face. Isn’t he great, Dada?”




“Hm, impressive,” Brian agreed.


“And see the dragon,” Bree continued.

 




“He’s really big,” Bree informed them. “How come his wings aren’t green like the rest of him?” she asked.


“Maybe he’s a baby dragon,” Justin suggested, “and his wings haven’t had time to fully develop.”


“More likely they haven’t figured out how to get the plants to grow over those frames,” Brian stated, the cynic in him coming through.


Bree frowned and looked up at her Dada. “Are there really dragons?” she asked in all seriousness.


Brian opened his mouth to tell her that there were no such things, but Justin had something to say on the matter and jumped in before Brian could get a word out.


“Dragons have been in stories since the beginning of time,” Justin explained. “I think they live in our imaginations. They are such fierce and dominating creatures. They are the stuff of myth.”


Bree studied her younger father’s face. She wasn’t sure if she fully understood what had been said, but she wanted to believe in dragons, especially this one. “I think you’re right, Daddy,” she said.


Brian glanced at Justin who responded with a warning look that told Brian not to contradict him.


“There’s a real special topiary over here, Dada,” Bree stated as she dragged her older father around the dragon. “You’ll like it.”


Brian stopped in his tracks as he saw where Bree was leading him. “I don’t believe it,” he said in mock horror.


“It’s real, Dada. It’s just for you,” Bree added with a big grin as they all studied the creation in front of them.





“It better not hop off that lily pad,” Brian said seriously.


“Silly Dada,” Bree chastised. “The topiaries can’t move.”


“I don’t know,” Brian replied shaking his head. “It looks pretty real.”


“You are such a…” Justin began.


“What?” Brian demanded with a glare.


“Wuss,” Justin decided.


“Am not,” Brian countered.


“Clown.” Justin tried another descriptive word.


“Un unh.”


“Asshole,” Justin mouthed so that Bree wouldn’t see.


Brian merely grinned and nodded.

 

Bree and Justin had a good laugh at the silliness of one Brian A. Kinney.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Up, Up and Away


Chapter 6


 




Brian came out of the shower in their hotel room. He was wrapping a towel around his hips, but he came to such an abrupt stop at the sight in front of him that he almost dropped it. He felt his cock swell and tent the front of the towel as he adjusted it and folded a corner in to hold it in place. The thought of ripping it off and attacking the blond vision in front of him was most difficult to ignore, but he didn’t think this would be the best moment to make a move like that. Something about the intensity of the look on Justin’s face told him to bide his time.


Trying not to groan in need, Brian walked up behind his husband who was staring into the large mirror above the dresser. “Hey,” he said gently.


“Um, hi,” Justin replied uncertainly.


“What are you doing?”


“Trying to decide if I should wear this for the opening. What do you think?”


Brian studied his husband’s reflection in the mirror. Justin was wearing dark brown trousers that fitted him perfectly. They were slim and hugged his delicious bottom. Brian felt his dick jump in anticipation as he surveyed that delectable region. Atop the brown slacks, Justin wore a caramel colored cashmere turtleneck. It looked so warm, so soft, and it added to the glow that seemed to emanate from Justin.


Brian couldn’t help but wonder if other people saw the same glow he did. Or was it love that made his mate seem so ethereal, surreal almost, so otherworldly? And yet Justin was there, flesh and bone – such wonderful flesh too. The towel tented out even further.


“Your little friend is poking me in the butt,” Justin said with a chuckle, breaking the intense moment between them.


“Not so little!”


Justin laughed. “So, what do you think? How do I look?”


“You look like a world famous artist,” Brian stated analytically.


“Is that all?”


“You look like a million bucks.”


“Hm, not a billion?”


“Let me revise that statement. You look like a trillion dollars.”


“Better. What else?” Justin asked with a twinkle in his eye.


“You look like the man I am going to fuck so hard…”


“Ah, you finally figured it out,” Justin said with a big grin. “Let me get out of these clothes and you can have your way with me, you big, mean, sexy man.”


Brian growled as he reached for the fly of Justin’s slacks.


“Uh, uh, uh,” Justin chided batting Brian’s hands away. “I have to wear these tonight. If you take them off, they’ll end up in a heap on the floor, and I’ll have to choose something else that might not make me look like a trillion dollar, world famous artist who is about to be fucked.”


“Hey, not fucked, fucked by me,” Brian admonished.


“I stand corrected.”


“You better get out of those fucking clothes before I rip them off,” Brian warned. His cock ached and he knew he was reaching the limit of his patience.


Justin decided to make his husband suffer a little more. He slowly slid the zipper of his trousers down. Then he unbuttoned the top of the pants. His hands grasped the waistband and slowly Justin slid the slacks down his legs.


Brian watched with undisguised lust. He was hoping Justin had gone commando, but luck wasn’t with him. He watched as Justin’s tighty-whitey’s came into view. Justin turned slightly as his slacks dropped to the floor. As he bent over to retrieve them, Justin made sure to give Brian a clear view of the ass he seemed so eager to claim. Brian groaned at his antics.


Justin smiled to himself, but wiped it from his face as he stood up and carefully shook out his trousers before laying them over a chair. He turned back to Brian and pulled his sweater over his head making sure to muss his hair. He knew how much Brian enjoyed running his fingers through it.


He slid his hands down his chest making sure to circle his nipples with the palms of his hands. The nubs stood out hard and firm as his hands continued on down to his underwear. He inserted his thumbs on each side of his underwear and slowly slid them down almost to his cock. He looked up at Brian from under his lashes and knew he was pushing his luck making Brian wait. Justin’s dick was hard and straining to be free of the material that held it. Justin pulled the underwear out from his body to get it over his thick and rigid cock.


With a final shove the underwear was on the floor. Suddenly Justin found himself on the bed with Brian on top of him, the wind pretty much knocked out of him. Brian was lubing up and staring at Justin with utter need written all over his face.


“Ready?” Brian growled. Justin nodded.


Without any preparation, but lots of lube, Brian drove home. Justin cried out at the initial pain – the pain/pleasure thing worth the trade off of the initial hurt. Brian waited until Justin calmed. Once he was sure Justin was ready, he began a hard, fierce rhythm that soon had them both panting and sweating.


“Oh my fucking god!” Justin gasped as he did his best to hold onto some semblance of sanity … and the bed.


“Now!” Brian commanded as he felt Justin shoot his cum between them. That sent Brian over the edge, and he came long and hard into the velvet warmth of the man he loved.


Some time passed before either of them knew where they were.


“Dada, Daddy!” came a voice from the other side of their bedroom door.


Brian groaned and opened his eyes.


Knocking followed another repetition of their names.


“What is it, Squirt?” Brian asked as Justin began to show signs of life.


“I finished my book and there’s nothing on television and I’m getting hungry, and I think Daddy needs to have dinner before we go to the opening, and I want you to tell me if I look all right.”


Brian smiled. “It’s good you stopped to breathe, Squirt. Daddy and I are going to shower. We’ll be out in a few minutes, okay?”


“I guess so,” Bree said with a huge sigh. “But hurry.”


“No room service,” Brian cautioned.


“I’m real hungry, so hurry up,” Bree replied.


“We won’t be long,” Brian said. “Get up, Sunshine. We have a hungry little girl and an opening to go too.”


“Can’t we just stay here?” Justin pleaded.


“We came all the way to Canada for this opening, so you better show up.” Brian took Justin’s wrist and hauled him out of the bed. He then dragged his reluctant spouse into the bathroom.


Bree went to sit on the sofa in the big main room. She didn’t feel like watching TV, and she was really hungry. After a couple of minutes she went to get grey bunny. She climbed back onto the sofa cuddling grey bunny against her chest.


My daddies sure sleep a lot. I thought kids were supposed to sleep a lot more than adults, but my daddies are different. I wonder if they’re really sleeping, because sometimes they make noises that I don’t understand. I wish they would hurry up. I’m hungry. I hope we go someplace good for dinner.


My Daddy needs to have some food before he meets all those people. I think he’s still worried, but his paintings look really good in the gallery. He shouldn’t worry. It’s not good for adults to worry.


I worry about my daddies sometimes. They really need me to help them, like saying that we should take this trip. They couldn’t think of that by themselves. I like going on trips with my daddies. They’re lots of fun … most of the time. Except when they’re in their room making weird noises.


I hope they hurry up. Oops, the door is opening.


“I love you, grey bunny,” Bree said before she turned to face her fathers.


 


*****

 



Deciding to dine in the hotel's restaurant gave our trio time to have a nice leisurely dinner. The maitre d’ remembered them (and who wouldn't?), so they were seated promptly and a basket of warm rolls immediately placed on the table. Their waiter approached the table with a Shirley Temple in hand and placed it in front of Bree.


“Oh thank you!” Bree exclaimed as she took a dainty sip. Brian smirked to himself, apparently the wait staff had fallen under Bree's spell, that and the hefty tip Brian left in their wake.


They perused their menus, ordered then settled back to enjoy their meal.


“Dada, do I look all right?” Bree asked as they waited for dessert. Bree was in the mood for a small dish of ice cream while her dads shared a fresh fruit compote. She was wearing one of the sophisticated skirt sets that she wore at Kinnetik.


“Beautiful, Baby Girl,” Justin assured Bree.


“Dada?” Bree wanted her older father's approval as well. Brian was still having difficulty with the simple fact that their daughter was growing up. “Dada?” Bree asked again. Brian felt his shin kicked.


“Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor, it would be my supreme honor to escort the loveliest and most sophisticated young lady it has ever been my pleasure to know to the opening tonight,” Brian said gallantly. He knew he said the right thing when the smiles from both his blonds lit up the room.


They finished dinner then went back to their suite for some last minute primping.


 


*****

 



“Daddy, do you think that David and his daddies will be there?” Bree asked hopefully.


“I'm not sure,” Justin mumbled as he looked out the window of their car. Even though the gallery was close, Brian decided to have them driven. Justin was already nervous and not paying much attention to Bree.


“I gave David's father a set of tickets,” Brian reassured Bree. “He seemed very interested in going,” he said with a pat to his daughter's knee. Bree smiled pensively as she nodded. Brian noted that gone were the usual pigtails. Bree's hair was up and held in place with her blinged “B” hair clip. Brian pondered how she was able to do it without help. He set that mystery aside and labeled it a “girl thing.”


“Did you give tickets to Mr. Waldon?” Bree inquired, all of a sudden sounding very much like Brian's assistant.


“Yes ma'am, I did,” Brian replied.


“Good, Dada. That's very good public relations,” Bree stated with authority.


“Thank you, Miss Bree,” Brian said with a smirk.


“Daddy, do you promise to be nice to your fans?” Bree asked as their car pulled up in front of the gallery. They were early but there was already a long line of art fans waiting to enter, along with several photographers. And if Brian was not mistaken, a news van was parked down the street. His Sunshine was about to make the local news.


“Maybe I shouldn't have worn this turtleneck,” Justin mumbled, ignoring Bree's question.


“It's summer weight and you know you're always cold in galleries,” Brian commented.


“I'm sweating already,” Justin snapped back.


“Chill, Sunshine,” Brian growled. “Take a breath, plaster a smile on your face and BE NICE!” Justin took a deep breath as he took Brian's hand. Brian gave Justin's hand a reassuring squeeze. For good measure, Brian leaned over and planted a deep kiss onto Justin's lips.


“Your work is brilliant,” Brian whispered as Justin was attempting to clear his kiss-addled head. “You're brilliant, just have fun tonight and I promise when this is all over I'll take you away on a well deserved vacation,” Brian promised. Justin nodded then opened the limo door.


As Justin stepped out from the car, photographers were clicking away at him. The line of art fans were all waving programs at Justin in hopes of an autograph. Bree tugged on Justin's hand and gave him a poignant look, the same look was on Brian's face. Bree dug into her small bag and came up with a marker. She thrust it into her father's hand and gave his tush a little shove. Brian snickered as Justin rolled his eyes but got the hint. He walked the line, signing programs and small posters. He had kind words for his fans and from the smiles he was getting, Justin Taylor was pleasing the crowd. Marcus Krupp stood at the door of the gallery with a very happy look on his face. He glanced at his watch then came out to usher his star inside. Brian and Bree followed closely behind. As Ms. Williams led Justin, Brian and Bree into Justin's main hall, Marcus addressed the waiting crowd.


“Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. The Krupp Gallery welcomes you and is proud to bring you this exclusive showing of Justin Taylor's latest work. Please come in and enjoy this wonderful exhibit.” The crowd applauded then slowly entered the gallery in an orderly fashion.


 


*****

 



Daddy looks a whole lot better and he was very nice to everyone outside, even that lady who gave Daddy a hug. I think Daddy was scared for a minute. I'd be scared too if a stranger grabbed me even if it was only to give me a hug. I don't think I'd like it very much, but my Dada was watching. Dada would never let anything bad happen to Daddy or me. Dada had his serious face on; I always feel safe with my Dada. I know Daddy feels safe too.


Oooo! Daddy's paintings look sooo pretty. The flower paintings are slowly moving up and down like a merry-go-round so you can see each one of them. It reminds me of the easels in the sun porch back home. I miss my home.


“Are you okay, Squirt?” Brian asked when he noticed the slight frown on Bree's face.


“I'm okay, Dada, just thinking about home,” Bree replied honestly. Brian guided Bree to a relatively quiet corner.


“You homesick?” Brian asked as he squatted down to be at eye level with his daughter.


“A little,” Bree said in a small voice.


“We've accomplished what we set out to do. We can go home in a few days, okay? But I'd like to ask you something first,” Brian said in a very serious tone.


“What Dada?”


Brian scooped her up and found a nearby bench. He sat with Bree perched on his knees. “Since Grandma Joan passed away, your father has done a lot to take care of us, hasn't he?”


Bree thought about it for a moment before answering. “Yes, Dada. Daddy took care of us all through last winter and our birthdays.”


“Yes, he did. I think it's time we took care of him. Daddy needs a break, someplace quiet to go to where he can rest and do nothing, even if it's for only a few days. Do you agree?”


“Yes, Dada,” Bree said as she nodded.


“So now my next question is just as serious. Would you like to come with us or stay home with your uncles and Patrick?”


Bree took her time thinking about her answer. She really loved traveling with her daddies but sometimes...


“I think I want to go home. Canada is pretty but I miss Ashley and my Patrick. Besides, I think Daddy needs you,” Bree said giving her father a look. Brian drew Bree close for a hug.


“I am the luckiest Dada in the whole world,” Brian whispered into Bree's hair. He released her after a moment. “Ready to be our artist's supportive family?”


“Ready, Dada!”


Brian set Bree down. They smoothed out their clothes, straightened their spines then went back out into the main gallery.


“Mr. Kinney,” Joel said as he approached Brian, his hand held out.


“It's Brian,” Brian reminded him as he shook Joel's hand. “I'm glad you could make it. Are your son and your partner here?” Brian asked. “Bree was looking forward to seeing David again.” Bree was wearing a hopeful expression.


“Yes, they are. They're currently watching the Fractal movie. What an interesting concept,” Joel commented. Bree slipped away, walking toward the part of the gallery that had been set up for the Fractal movie.


“Yes, it certainly made for an interesting time at home while Justin was putting that together. My son Gus was involved as well,” Brian said in passing.


“Does Justin always involve your family in his projects?” Joel asked as they wandered over to the sketches and paintings of 'The Nudes.' There were many of Brian. Joel was obviously very appreciative of Brian's impressive assets. “Is this you?” Joel indicated a sketch of a seated man.


“That's my brother,” Brian replied with a smirk. “John's very conservative; it took a lot of convincing to get him to drop trou for Justin. My brother-in-law, on the other hand, had no problem with it,” Brian said as he indicated the study of Bobby's muscles in motion as he was pitching baseballs.


“Wow! That's your brother-in-law?” Joel gulped. “Um, you have a very beautiful family.”


“In more ways than one,” Brian agreed. “Joel, you had mentioned a side trip to Niagara Falls, are you still interested in going? My family can really use the distraction.”


“Yes. How much longer are you planning to be in Canada?”


“Not much longer. Justin is obligated to make an appearance here tomorrow night and then technically we're free,” Brian explained while working out the logistics in his head


“Can we make a tentative date for Wednesday? This will be an all day trip.”


“Wednesday works for us. And then we'll return and I can take Bree and Justin home,” Brian said more to himself than Joel.


“Great! Would you like to meet my partner?”


“Sure,” Brian said then followed Joel through the gallery.


 


*****

 



“Do you like it?” Bree asked David as they were looking at a painting of the volcano Kilauea. Justin had captured the fire and majesty of the volcano with his bold strokes of red and orange.


“I guess so,” David replied, not sounding impressed at all.


“Daddy used his oil paints on this one so he could layer and blend the colors,” Bree explained.


“Oh.” David didn't seem to care even though Bree smiled her best smile and batted her violet blue eyes at him. “Are you going to the park tomorrow?”


“Maybe. Will you be there?”


“I don't know. Maybe not, my dads have stuff to do,” David said as he walked away to look at photographs done by another artist.


“Oh,” Bree said softly, her face crestfallen and her little heart broken. She sighed then went to go find her daddies.


“Miss Briana, it's so nice to see you again,” Philip Waldon greeted Bree enthusiastically as she approached her fathers. Taking a page out of her elder father's book, Bree put on her game face and greeted Waldon cordially.


“Mr. Waldon, it's very nice to see you too,” Bree said carefully enunciating her words. “Are you enjoying yourself?” Brian and Justin stood by, letting Bree run the show. Justin was beaming with pride. Brian was just as proud of Bree but better at maintaining his nonchalant exterior.


“Yes, I am. May I introduce my wife, Irene.”


“Very nice to meet you, Mrs. Waldon. My name is Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree said formally as she took Mrs. Waldon's hand.


“It's very nice to meet you, Miss Briana. Your father says that you've been working at Kinnetik this summer and also with your father at his art gallery. That's very industrious of you,” Irene Waldon commented.


“Thank you. I want to learn all I can about my fathers' businesses,” Bree affirmed.


“Your fathers must be very proud of you,” Irene Waldon stated as she glanced at Brian and Justin who were nodding.


“I'm very proud of my daddies,” Bree said as she beamed back.


“Please excuse me,” Justin interjected. “I think Mr. Krupp needs me. Thank you for coming,” Justin said as he again shook hands with his spouse's new client before joining Marcus who was scowling. “Marcus, is something wrong?”


“I'm not sure. One of the critics seems to have an objection to one of your sketches.”


“Which sketch?” Justin asked as he reached out his hand, subconsciously searching for Brian. Justin suddenly needed Brian's unwavering strength.


“The one of the little girl sitting on the rock near the stream,” Krupp said.


“But that's...” Justin didn't get to finish his thought. A very irate woman stomped over.

 

“Mr. Krupp,” the lady quietly sneered. “You're a very reputable art dealer. I've known you for years, but since when are you in the child porn business?”

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Up, Up and Away


Chapter 7


 




“My dear Helena, what are you talking about?” Marcus Krupp nervously asked. He was hoping she would keep her voice down. That’s all he needed, to be accused of dealing in pornographic materials.


“This, this drawing that’s trying to pass itself off as art,” Helena Warwick growled. While Krupp was stuttering out an explanation, Justin quietly sidled up to them.


“May I ask what your objection to the piece is?” Justin asked in a very calm manner. With his hair slicked back, Justin wasn’t easily recognizable. Helena Warwick briefly looked Justin up and down then dismissed him as a non-entity.


“The child is naked,” she whispered.


“As are most of the models in this study,” Justin stated. “Have you objections to the other pieces?” He slowly wandered down the aisle that showcased the nude and semi-nude subjects, stopping at the studies of Bobby and Brian. Justin inwardly chuckled at the double take Ms. Warwick made. She obviously had an eye for beauty.


“Of course not, they’re adults. They can give permission. This is a small child, she’s at risk for exploitation,” Helena stated with authority. Justin took a cleansing breath before attempting to confront the irritating woman.


“I grant you that the child is young, but not that young, and believe me, if she had voiced any objection, the sketch would not have been included in the grouping,” Justin began.


“Young man, I don’t wish to argue with you but what could you possibly know about it?”


Before Justin could go any further…


“Hello, my name is Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree said with as much authority and confidence as she could muster. She noticed the woman scowling at her daddy so she walked over to find out the problem. This gallery wasn’t like the others Bree had been to; she had had enough. Being polite, Bree extended her hand. Ms. Warwick took it automatically.


“Helena Warwick, Toronto Arts and Leisure. You posed for this?”


“Sort of,” Bree answered honestly.


“What does that mean?”


“It means, I asked my daddy if I could put my feet in the water. He said yes but that I shouldn’t get my clothes wet,” Bree stated.


“So?” Ms. Warwick still had no clue. “I don’t see what that has to do with anything.”


“So, I took them off,” Bree said succinctly.


“What better way to ensure her clothes stayed dry,” Brian purred as he turned his bedroom eyes onto the woman. He had sauntered over to give Justin support.


“Brian Kinney, the subject’s other father,” Brian said as he extended his hand. Ms. Warwick looked up into the gorgeous eyes and nearly melted as she took Brian’s warm strong hand.


“Other father?” Helena sputtered.


“Justin Taylor,” Justin introduced himself. “Bree’s other father,” he said with a brilliant smile that was matched by one on Bree’s face. She extended her arms; Justin scooped Bree up into his arms, kissing her button nose and eliciting a giggle.


“Well, I see it was all in good fun,” Ms. Warwick said, looking back and forth to each father. Bree obviously knew her own mind. “Mr. Taylor, I’m a great admirer of yours,” Ms. Warwick went on as if nothing had happened at all. “Please tell me about your inspiration for your other pieces,” Ms. Warwick asked, clearing her throat demurely as they passed one of Brian’s sketches; Brian in all his glory, standing amidst his garden. The contrast of the delicate and colorful flowers against the raw tanned masculine power of Brian was…


“Stunning,” Helena exclaimed as they slowly walked up and down each aisle with Justin giving a running commentary.


“He’s amazing,” Marcus Krupp murmured mostly to himself.


“Yes, he is,” Brian agreed as they hung back, letting Justin run the show.


“She’s normally not this uptight,” Marcus explained, indicating Helena with a tip of his head.


“It was bound to happen eventually,” Brian said with a small sigh. Marcus looked up at the man. “Justin’s been drawing me naked from almost the moment we met. He’s been painting Bree from the minute we brought her home.” Brian paused as he stared at Bree’s painting. Her little tush just visible as she sat perched on the rock. He reached out, almost caressing the image. “He sees a beautiful form where the rest of the world sees a naked baby.”


“Not the whole world, just those with narrow minds,” Marcus assured Brian. “Justin has captured the human form in all its variety,” Marcus went on as they stood in front of the sketches of Debbie, Emmett and some of the construction workers. “He has a rare gift.”


“What gift is that?” Brian asked unnecessarily. He already knew the answer.


“Justin Taylor can see into your soul.”


Brian nodded with a gentle smile then they continued to follow Justin down the aisle.


 


*****

 



Joel and David walked into the lobby of the hotel where Brian and Justin were staying. They approached the desk and asked for Mr. Kinney’s room. The clerk buzzed Brian to tell him that their guests were in the lobby. Joel and David sat down on the big couch in the lounge area and waited.


After a couple of minutes, David said, “Dad, do we have to go to Niagara Falls?”


“I thought you’d enjoy the trip,” Joel replied with a frown.


“I don’t want to spend all day with that girl.”


“Bree?” Joel asked in surprise. “She’s very nice. I thought you liked her.”


“She makes googly eyes at me all the time. I don’t like it.” Joel tried not to chuckle but a small one escaped. “It’s not funny,” David protested.


“Bree and her dads will be going back to the States soon, so let’s have a good time today.”


“I’ll try,” David said with a sigh.


The elevator doors opened and Bree and her fathers stepped out. They saw Joel across the lobby and walked over.


“Didn’t your partner come with you?” Brian asked when he saw only Joel and his son.


“Um, he thought he better work today.”


“What was it he does again?” Brian asked with a frown. He had not been impressed with the man when he met him at Justin’s opening.


“Your car is out front, Mr. Kinney,” the bellman came over to inform the group.


“Thank you,” Brian said slipping the man a tip.


“Let’s get going,” Justin said taking Bree’s hand and heading for the front doors of the hotel.


The trip to Niagara Falls in the back of the limo was rather quiet. Joel seemed reluctant to talk about himself or his partner. Bree and David eyed each other warily. Justin and Brian watched the countryside pass by, not sure why they had agreed to this trip in the first place.


Finally they arrived at the Falls. They arranged with their driver to drop them off, go find a parking spot and wait for them to call when they wished to go to lunch. Everyone got out of the car and approached the roaring cataract. They stood by the metal railing that kept the tourists a sensible distance from the edge of the falls. Looking at the majestic waters as they cascaded over the falls, made them all realize the power of the water they were viewing.




“It’s so big,” Bree said in awe.


“It certainly is,” Brian agreed.


They all stood staring, listening to the sound of the water and taking in how powerful the falls were.


“Dad, can I look through one of those telescopes?” David asked.


Joel looked at the binoculars mounted on stands along the edge of the escarpment. “There’s one available over there,” he said, as he and his son headed in that direction.


“Can I see too, Daddy?” Bree asked.


“It looks like all the other binoculars are in use. Let’s go with David and Joel. You can share,” Justin suggested as they followed the other two.


Brian stayed where he was admiring the scenery. He could see why this had been a popular tourist destination for as long as he could remember. It truly was a natural wonder. He pulled out his camera and started snapping pictures. Before long Joel joined him.


“Where are the kids?” Brian asked.


“Justin is feeding the slot on the binoculars,” Joel said.


“Care to tell me what’s going on?” Brian asked cryptically.


“What…what do you mean?”


“You know – long silences, failure to answer questions, you hardly spent any time together with your partner at Justin’s opening, you’re here while your partner is ‘at work’.” Brian made air quotes around his carefully chosen words.


“We’re … having some problems,” Joel admitted reluctantly.


Brian nodded. “I suspected as much.”


“How…how do you and Justin do it? You’ve been together for a long time.”


“Damned if I know. I’m no relationship expert.”


“But it takes two of you to make a relationship. You must have some part in it,” Joel said looking into Brian’s eyes.


“I love him,” Brian replied. It was the simplest but most honest answer he could give. “And he loves me. That gets us through anything.”


“You sound so sure of that,” Joel said shaking his head.


“I am sure of it, but apparently you’re not…”


“I just don’t know anymore,” Joel admitted. “We don’t seem to be happy.”


“Then maybe it’s time to reassess your situation,” Brian advised. “But think long and hard, and decide what your true feelings are. Then talk about it with him.”


“I’m not very good at talking,” Joel said.


Brian snorted. “I used to hate talking … especially about feelings. I was the worst talker in the universe.”


“But now…”


“Justin taught me that it didn’t so much matter what we said as the fact that we were talking. Eventually we could get to the real problem or issue and it would all work out in the end. It wasn’t easy though, especially not at first. I really sucked at it.”


“Justin is very special.”


“We definitely agree on that,” Brian replied.


"Dada, look down there,” Bree said as she rushed over to her older father. “There’s a boat down at the bottom of the falls.”


“What?” Brian asked turning to look.


“It’s called the Maid of the Mist,” Joel informed them. “You can ride on it almost under the falls. You have to wear a yellow rain slicker cause the mist will soak you right though.”


“Can we do that, Dada, can we?”


“Hm,” Brian said thinking about Bree’s request.


“If you want to do it, we should call ahead and reserve a space,” Joel said. “I’ve never done it. It might be fun. Would you like to go on the Maid of the Mist, David?” Joel asked as his son and Justin joined them.


“Sure, Dad,” David agreed.


“Let’s go for lunch and then we can look into this boat ride,” Brian said pulling out his cell phone to call their driver.


With the help of the concierge at their hotel Brian had arranged for them to have a sumptuous lunch at Fallsview Casino. They had reserved a table overlooking the falls. They could do some gambling if they chose after lunch or go on the boat ride.


They were soon at lunch enjoying some delicious fare. Bree sipped her glass of milk and studied David.


I don’t know why David doesn’t like me. I like him. He’s not nearly as nice as I thought he was. He hardly let me look through the binoculars at all, even though Daddy added two of those big coins they use here in Canada.


I tried to hold his hand while we were looking over the railing, but he always yanks it away. My Patrick would never do that. I like Patrick much better than David.


Bree smiled to herself as she began to realize that she didn’t care nearly as much whether David liked her or not. A few days ago that had been important, but not anymore. She would be going home soon.


“What are you smiling at, sweetheart?” Justin asked.


“I was thinking about going home. I can tell Patrick and Ashley all about our trip.”


“They’ll be jealous.”


“They’ll be happy that I had a good time,” Bree corrected her father. She looked pointedly at David who immediately turned away and studied the view out the window. The restaurant overlooked the Falls and their table presented a spectacular panorama.


By the end of their leisurely lunch, arrangements had been made for the Maid of the Mist trip. Their car and driver picked them up and dropped them off at the entrance to the boat.


As they went aboard, they were handed a package containing a blue plastic poncho.


“I thought you said we got a yellow slicker,” Brian told Joel.


“I’ve seen pictures, and that’s what the passengers were always wearing,” Joel replied.


“We stopped using those a few years ago. These are disposable,” the young woman handing them out explained.


“Very environmentally friendly,” Brian said sarcastically.


“It’s better than catching something from an improperly cleaned rubber coat,” the girl replied. Obviously she had heard this complaint before.


“I was looking forward to seeing you in a yellow slicker,” Joel joked with Brian and Justin. “The little hat that went with it was adorable too.”


“Instead we get this piece of crap with a hood that will totally ruin my hair,” Brian retorted.


“Mine too, Dada,” Bree agreed.


“You could not pull it up, and have soaking wet hair,” Justin reminded his two prima donnas.



Brian and Bree glared at him. They all got decked out in their plastic as the boat pulled out into the Niagara River.



Soon they were approaching the Falls, feeling the power and noise of the thousands of gallons of water that flooded over it every minute. Everyone pulled up their hoods and was glad of their poncho when they were drenched by the mist.


“I see why they call this the Maid of the Mist,” Brian called out to Justin above the roar.


Justin merely nodded as the boat got even closer to the plunging waters.


Bree was standing beside David and instinctively took hold of his hand as the boat swayed in the current. He shook her off and moved closer to his father. Bree felt tears well up in her eyes, but she fought them back. Even if no one would know because her face was wet with mist, she refused to let David make her cry. She took her older father’s hand instead.



When the boat trip was over and faces dried off, they all decided it was time to go home. They had seen enough for one day.


On the ride back, Justin leaned against Brian. “I would have liked to see you in that yellow slicker and cute little hat,” he whispered to Brian.


Brian snorted, but also smiled and kissed Justin’s nose. “I’d rather see you in nothing at all,” he whispered back.


“That can be arranged.”


Both men smiled conspiratorially as Joel watched them, envying what they had, and what he apparently was missing with his partner.


 


*****

 



Bree was asleep by the time they finally got back to the hotel. Having dropped Joel and his son off first, Brian and Justin bid the driver goodnight, giving him an extra tip for his excellent care of Brian’s precious cargo.


“She’s out cold,” Brian said as he secured their bedroom door and began stripping off his clothes, slowly walking to the bed.


“Not surprising,” Justin replied. He was sitting up in the bed surrounded by a dozen newspapers and art magazines. Marcus Krupp sent Justin the reviews from opening night. “Not only did she close your deal with Waldon Industries, she saved my ass at the gallery.” Justin waved the Toronto Arts and Leisure magazine in the air.


“Not to mention soccer star extraordinaire and sightseeing tour guide,” Brian added as he crawled naked across the bed toward Justin. “Our little social butterfly is exhausted,” Brian said as he swept the papers off the bed.


“Hey, I was reading those,” Justin complained with a smirk.


“And they all say how phenomenal you are, even Ms. Helena Bonham-Carter says you’re brilliant.” Justin laughed as Brian nibbled at his chin.


“Helena Warwick, you jerk!”


“Oh yeah,” Brian teased. “The papers will still be there in the morning. Right now you have more important things to do,” Brian whispered into the shell of Justin’s ear.


“What things?” Justin asked as he wrapped his arms around Brian.


“Making love to me, things,” Brian answered as he kissed Justin, pouring his heart and soul into the kiss.


“A very important thing indeed,” Justin agreed.

 

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Up, Up and Away


Chapter 8 - Epilogue

 

In spite of Brian’s desire to take Justin and Bree home, Justin owed the gallery another meet and greet day. So while Justin was fulfilling his contractual responsibilities, Brian made their travel arrangements.


I think Dada’s a little worried about my Daddy. He really wants to go home; I want to go home too but I can wait. I know my Dada will take care of everything.


“Dada?” Bree watched her father’s fingers fly across his laptop keyboard.


“What is it, Squirt?”


“What are you doing?” Bree asked as she hugged her grey bunny close.


“Confirming our trip back home and my vacation with your Daddy,” Brian said as he looked up to see a set of deep violet blue eyes staring back at him. “You remember what we discussed at the gallery.”


“Yes, Dada,” Bree said as she nodded her head; her baby fine hair flew in all directions. “I want to go home to see my Patrick and Ashley and you want to take Daddy away some place nice and quiet where you can take care of him.”


“You are so right, Squirt,” Brian confirmed as he drew the petite child into a hug. He smoothed down Bree’s hair with his hands. “Are you sure you’re okay with staying home with your uncles and Patrick? I already sent an email to Ashley’s mom inviting Ashley to stay at the cottage.”


“Really?!” Bree asked with joy. She bounced up and down in her father’s arms.


“Really. You’ve been such a good girl this summer helping at Kinnetik and at the gallery. You worked very hard; you deserve a reward.”


“Oh thank you, Dada,” Bree said as she threw her arms around Brian’s neck.


“Thank you, Squirt,” Brian whispered into Bree’s ear. A chime sounded on Brian’s computer. He picked up Bree and sat her on his lap then pulled up his email. “Ashley’s mom is all for it. She says that Ashley is jumping up and down as we speak.” Brian chuckled as he could feel Bree’s growing excitement. “Would you like to speak with Ashley?” Brian asked.


“Oh yes!”


Brian pulled out his cell phone, dialed Ashley’s number then handed the phone to Bree. A happy squeal confirmed that Bree and Ashley were talking as Bree ran into her room. Brian dialed John’s number from the room phone.


“Hey, big bro,” Brian said when John answered.


“Hey!” John answered enthusiastically. “I got your text and I have no problem looking after the princess and her friend. Patrick’s looking forward to it as well.” Brian snorted at that. “Yeah, I know,” John chuckled. “My son won’t admit it, and you never heard it from me, but Patrick really misses Bree. And he loves Ashley too. We’ll be fine for a week or two or however long you want to take Justin away. He deserves some time off.”


“Thanks, John. I was hoping you were going to say that.”


“How was the show?”


“Successful, eventually.”


“Eventually?”


“Let’s just say, Bree saved the day.”


“Sounds like a good story,” John said. “You want to share?” Brian sighed; sharing wasn’t his strong suit but he did anyway.


“Remind me, just how old is Bree again?” John laughed.


“Yeah, yeah. The point is that Justin is tired and he deserves some pampering.”


“Yes, he does,” John agreed.


“He held me together, when old Joanie died,” Brian whispered. “He kept me and Bree sane. I have to do this for him.”


“You’ll get no argument from me, Bri. What does Bree say?”


“She wants me to take care of her Daddy.”


“Very perceptive child. Then you take care of Justin and leave Bree to us,” John agreed.


“Thank you,” Brian said with a slight hitch in his voice.


“Anytime, Brian, you know that. When are you guys coming home?”


“Tomorrow. We fly into Pittsburgh then we’ll drive home. After we drop Bree off, we’ll repack and then fly out again.”


“Why don’t I pack for you and meet you guys at the loft. I’ll pick up the princess and you guys can rest a little before your next flight.”


“You’d do that?” Brian asked incredulously.


“Of course I will. Just tell me what you’ll need and I’ll pack it,” John stated with confidence. He knew Brian and Justin well enough, including their little idiosyncrasies; he’d know what to pack. A half an hour later, Brian was confident with his plan to take his Sunshine away.


 


*****

 



“I’m all packed, Daddy,” Bree said as she stood in the doorway of her fathers’ bedroom in the suite of the hotel.


“That’s good, sweetheart,” Justin replied as he added some clothes to his own suitcase. “Did you check all the drawers and the bathroom?”


“Yep.”


“Good girl,” Justin told her with a smile.


“When do we leave?”


“The car will be here in about twenty minutes,” Brian said as he glanced at the clock beside the bed. He had come out of the bathroom, as he spoke. He placed his toiletry kit in his suitcase.


“I’m going to read my book,” Bree said as she turned away and headed for the living room area.


“Hm,” Brian said.


“You’re not fucking me,” Justin replied as he reorganized some items in his suitcase.


“You want to waste a good twenty minutes?” Brian asked.


“Are you always horny?”


“Yes.”


Justin shook his head. “You are incorrigible.”


“Do you know how many times you have told me that?” Brian asked with a smirk. “I am incorrigible. We both know it. This is the result.” Brian squeezed his hardening cock through his jeans. “Now, what are we going to do about it?”


Justin watched fascinated. Brian would always be young and beautiful, just like Michael had labeled him so many years ago. And not surprisingly, Brian could always turn him on. A smile played at the corners of Justin’s mouth. “Bathroom, now!” he ordered.


Brian grabbed Justin’s hand, glanced quickly at Bree who was sitting on the sofa holding her book, pulled Justin into the bathroom and locked the door. Brian’s hard cock sprang free and proud, as he shoved his jeans down. Justin’s beautiful ass appeared when Brian turned him against the sink and yanked Justin’s cargo pants down to his knees. The rest was so familiar and so good and so … necessary.


“Never enough,” Brian whispered into Justin’s ear as he pounded that still magnificent ass.


 


*****

 



Bree heard her fathers rush into the bathroom.


I wonder what they do in there together. I like to go to the bathroom by myself. Maybe they’re washing up one more time, or they are spraying on cologne. My daddies always smell so good.


Bree set her book down on the sofa.


I’m glad we’re going home. I want to see Patrick and Ashley and my uncles and … everybody. I miss them.


I won’t miss that stupid David. He’s mean. I’m going to tell Patrick about him. Someday Patrick will come up here and kick David’s ass. It would serve David right for being mean to me. Or maybe I could kick his ass myself. He’s not so big.


Bree giggled to herself as she envisioned her pink sandal connecting with David’s rump. Her enjoyable fantasy was interrupted by a knock on the door of the suite. Bree looked into the bedroom, but her fathers were still in the bathroom. They’d been in there a long time. She wondered if the person who knocked on the door was the driver of their car, but he usually waited for them downstairs. She walked over to the door.


“Who is it?” she called out.


“Joel McCormick and David,” came the reply.


“Oh, um, just a minute,” Bree said. She ran to the bathroom and knocked on the door. “Daddy, Dada, Mr. McCormick and David are here. Should I let them in?”


A loud grunt could be heard from behind the door.


“Yeah, Squirt, let them in. We’ll be right out,” her Dada replied rather breathlessly.


“’Kay.”


Bree ran back to the door and opened it. She gave David a withering look, but then said sweetly, “Please come in. My daddies will be right out.”


David and his father walked to the sofa. Bree quickly picked up her book and set it on the coffee table. The two visitors sat down.


Joel noted the book that Bree had apparently been reading. “I brought you a copy of my latest book,” he said. “I think it will be a bit young for you, Bree, but I thought you might enjoy having a copy of it.”


Bree took the bag that Joel handed her and pulled out a book called Froggie Goes to Court. “That’s a funny name for a story,” she said as she looked at the front cover.


“It was written after I had to go to court for a parking ticket. It’s meant to teach children a little about how the judicial system works. Froggie gets a ticket for jaywalking,” Joel explained.


“Oh,” Bree said. She thought it sounded rather boring. “Thank you,” she said politely. “I’ll read it on the plane.” She placed it back in the gift bag Joel had brought it in. She struggled to think of a new topic of conversation. But she was saved from having to do that when her fathers thankfully arrived from the bathroom.


“Joel,” Brian said, “we didn’t expect to see you again.” He had managed to get his jeans back on, and the sweat wiped from his brow. The glow on his face was harder to cover up.


“I hope that doesn’t mean that you’re not happy to see me now,” Joel replied looking quizzically at the two men.


“Um, we’re leaving for the airport in about three minutes,” Justin said, pointedly studying his watch.


“Well then…” Joel began. “I, um, just wanted to say goodbye, and thank you for all your advice. Andrew and I had a talk last night. I hope things are going to improve.”


“That’s good,” Justin said cheerfully.


“David, say goodbye to Bree. We better be on our way.”


“Bye,” David said.


“Goodbye, David,” Bree responded in her best grownup manner. She so wanted to kick his ass.


David and his father beat a hasty retreat. Brian closed the door behind them.


“Who the fuck would have thought we’d end up being marriage counselors?” he demanded.


“We are not marriage counselors, and it sounds like things are far from settled between Joel and Andrew,” Justin chimed in.


“I’m glad I won’t have to see David no more,” Bree stated. “I don’t like him.”


“It’s too bad he didn’t turn out to be nicer to you,” Justin commiserated.


“It’s okay, Daddy. I’m glad I found out what he was like. I won’t miss him at all.”


“Good girl,” Brian interjected giving his smart daughter a smile.


“I would have liked to kick his ass, though,” Bree couldn’t help but add.


“Bree!” Justin said.


“He would have deserved it,” Brian chuckled as he agreed with his daughter. He and Bree smiled knowingly at each other.


“Now I have two incorrigibles to deal with,” Justin said shaking his head.


“These incorrigibles need to get to the airport,” Brian stated firmly. “Grab your bags and let’s get the fuck out of the Great White North!”


 


*****

 



My daddies are quiet. I know they’re happy to be going home. I can’t wait to see Ashley and Patrick. Ashley’s mommy is going to let Ashley stay at the cottage with me for at least a week! We’re going to have so much fun. And my Patrick will be there and Beau and Uncle John and Uncle Bobby and…


“Baby Girl, what are you smiling about?” Justin asked gently. They were almost home and he was feeling a lot better.


“Home,” Bree answered simply as she smiled at her daddy.


“Are you all right with me and Dada going away for a while?” Justin asked as he lifted Bree from her seat and sat her on his lap. She rested her body against her Daddy’s chest.


“Yes, Daddy. You and Dada have fun some place. Some place nice and warm and quiet and peaceful and…”


Justin giggled. “I get the picture. But it’s so late in the season, I wonder where your Dada found us something?”


“Does it matter, Daddy?” Bree asked with a wisdom far beyond her years.


“No, I guess it really doesn’t matter. As long as I’m with your Dada, I know it will be perfect.”


“You’re so smart, Daddy,” Bree said as she patted Justin’s hand.


“If I am it’s because I learned it all from you and your Dada,” Justin said in all honesty as he hugged his daughter closer. They stayed that way until the pilot told them to take their seats for landing.


 


*****

 



“Shit, Brian, it’s fucking hot!” Justin exclaimed as they left the terminal.


“Yeah, well, it’s August and we’re in Florida. But I have it on good authority that the air conditioners are working all the way from the airport to our destination,” Brian informed his aggravated spouse. Brian grabbed Justin’s wrist to check the time, then shouldering their duffle bags. John had packed very light for them. Brian assured John that he intended to do nothing more strenuous than hang around a pool or a beach for the next week and a half.


“It had better be,” Justin grumbled as he tried to rein in his annoyance. He knew Brian was doing everything he could and that the arrangements were made very quickly. “Are we renting a car or…”


Before Justin could finish his question, a van pulled up to them.


“Get in!” a familiar voice commanded when the passenger side window slid down and the side door opened. Brian grinned at Justin’s slightly shocked expression. “Will you be moving your arses anytime soon? I won’t be coolin’ off all of St. Augustine, will I now!” Seamus chided them.


Brian laughed as he gave Justin a little shove to get him moving. They quickly piled into the van as Seamus closed the window and Brian pulled the door shut. The air conditioner was indeed working very well. They settled back into the seat as Seamus pulled away from the curb.


“To the Piece of Plenty, Seamus, and don’t spare the horses,” Brian quipped as he took Justin’s hand and brought it to his lips. He was rewarded with one of the brightest sunshine smiles he had ever seen.


“Aye, sir,” Seamus replied as he stepped down on the accelerator, taking his charges to the B&B.


-tbc-

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1540