Green Eyed Monster by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Jealousy rears its ugly head on the lane.

Story #63 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 26016 Read: 8040 Published: May 07, 2020 Updated: May 07, 2020
Story Notes:

Banner by Sabina

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine





Green Eyed Monster



Chapter 1


 


Summer of 2021 was coming to a close. It was just after seven in the morning of the Edna’s Treasures huge Labor Day weekend party, when Emmett Honeycutt entered the cottage. Many of the family had already come up to the lane the previous day. The B&B was filled as were the spare rooms in Rachel’s house. Molly and her little family were in residence in her cottage while Hunter and Nick shared the RV with Debbie and Carl. Ted and Allen were staying at Emmett’s for the weekend. Danny and Riley would be coming from their tollhouse cottage, and more family was expected to drive in from Pittsburgh.


The lane was going to be overflowing with friends and family.


All the ‘cooks’ had arrived early to lend a hand in the preparations bringing with them salads of all varieties, and many desserts. Brian, of course as expected, had the sole pleasure of being the master of the grills!


“Helllooo!” Brian heard coming from the vicinity of the sun porch. Brian and Justin were still enjoying the comfort of their big bed. Brian groaned, rolled over and tried to bury his head into Justin’s side. Justin snorted out a laugh.


“He warned you he was going to be here early,” Justin stated wisely.


“I’ll kill the son of a bi...”


“No you won’t. He has everything and everyone organized for this weekend. He’s been invaluable to us. All you have to do is smile, give out hugs and kisses, and grill. Besides, you love him.” Justin felt Brian snort.


“Emphasis on the grilling part,” Brian mumbled as he kissed Justin’s flank then nuzzled an arm pit, savoring the masculine scent of his spouse.


“Stop it, Bri, that tickles,” Justin softly giggled. Brian’s nose was rooting around the fine hairs of Justin’s underarm, his warm breath was tickling Justin.


“I like you better without deodorant,” Brian purred as he licked and nibbled the tender skin.


“You’re a freak, you know that. You like it when I stink?” Justin was squirming to get away and yet getting turned on at the same time.


“I like the way you smell. I like the way you smell when you’re fresh from the shower. I like the way you smell after you’ve been painting all day. And I especially like the way you smell after we’ve fucked all night long,” Brian murmured in his low breathy tones.


Justin’s dick grew very hard. “Fuck me,” he demanded.


“My pleasure,” Brian growled.


Emmett was soon forgotten.


“You know they’re probably wondering where we are,” Justin said after he caught his breath. Their lovemaking was hard and fast, just like he wanted it.


“No they’re not. They know exactly where we are and what we’re doing,” Brian said smugly.


“And that doesn’t bother you?” Justin turned his head to look at Brian.


“Nope, O Ye of Short Memory and Stature,” Brian quipped. “We used to fuck in the backroom of Babylon for all of Pittsburgh to see.”


“Just the gay half, but I get your point.”


“Yes, you did.” Brian waggled his eyebrows at his awful pun while Justin groaned and rolled his eyes.


“Come on, the old fairy made coffee and I can use some,” Brian said, sniffing the air before he grabbed Justin’s hand as they got up. “I may like how you smell but the rest of the world won’t,” Brian observed as they walked into their bathroom.


“Like you don’t stink,” Justin grumbled.


“Nope, I have a manly smell,” Brian declared as he turned on the shower and adjusted the temperature.


“Yeah, just like bullshit,” Justin stated as he pushed Brian under the spray.


 


*****

 



“Auntie Emm!” Bree squealed as she ran from her room and into the porch to greet one of her most favorite people in the whole world.


“Miss Bree, I do declare you get prettier and taller every day,” Emmett squeed as he scooped her up into his arms for a hug. Bree rained kisses onto his face as they both laughed. Bree was still petite but she liked hearing that she was growing up.


“What time does the party start?” Bree asked from Emmett’s arms.


“Around one. Most of the food is ready. Your Dada will do the important part.”


“He likes to grill,” Bree whispered as if it was a great secret.


“Yes, he does,” Emmett whispered back. He knew that through all the grumbling Brian did about grilling up a storm for the family, the man did take pride in it. And besides, whatever Brian did grill, tasted wonderful.


“Is the garden all ready?”


“Yes, Miss Bree. Everyone helped to set up the tables and chairs,” Emmett pronounced as he slid open the porch door and stepped out into the main garden.


Tables of varying sizes were placed strategically throughout the gardens in various nooks. They had set up a couple of long tables under the arbor that connected Brian’s garden to the greenhouse. The arbor offered a shady respite to whoever wanted to remain outside but out of the direct sun. They even set up a few tables in the greenhouse close to the pond. The B&B cottage yard had its own set of tables and chairs as well.


The whole lane was ready for one massive invasion of family and friends.


“Have you had your breakfast yet?” Emmett asked as he turned to go back inside.


“Not yet. My daddies aren’t awake,” Bree explained.


“Well then, let’s start breakfast, shall we?” Emmett asked as he carried Bree toward the kitchen. Emmett smiled fondly at Brian and Justin’s closed door as they passed, hearing soft giggling emanating from behind the thick door. Emmett was happy for his friends who had come home well rested from their time in Florida. He then let out a soft giggle himself.


“What’s funny, Auntie Emm?” Bree asked as Emmett set her down on one of the stools at the counter.


“Just imagining your Dada when he finally comes out of his room. He’ll growl and grumble like an old bear, until he has his first cup of coffee,” Emmett laughed.


“Then you better have it ready!” Bree wisely recommended.


“You are so right, Miss Bree!” Emmett immediately started the coffeemaker then began to fix breakfast for the denizens of Edna’s Treasures.


Emmett decided on a light breakfast since there would be food in abundance for the rest of the day. So he set out some fruit cups, sections of muffins and toast. When the aroma of freshly brewed coffee hit the other side of the cottage, John and Bobby were quick to come in to get their first cup.


“Good morning, Patrick,” Bree sing-songed with a smile.


“Good morning, Bree,” Patrick mumbled, not quite awake, as he sat at the table. A bowl of cereal and a glass of juice miraculously appeared in front of his face. He slowly came to life as he began to eat.


“Where are they?” Bobby asked around a piece of muffin. John waved his hand toward the hall. Bobby nodded, no other explanation was necessary.


Everyone ate in companionable silence while waiting for Brian and Justin to emerge from their room.


“Good morning!” Justin cheerfully announced as he entered the kitchen. His face was flushed from his shower and with the glow of his early morning activities. He received greetings and kisses from everyone as he sat next to Bree. Emmett handed him a mug of coffee and a fruit cup.


“Coffee!” Brian grumbled with a stern expression that no one believed. A large mug was placed in his hands and he was shooed toward the table. Brian pecked his daughter’s head before he sat and began to inhale his coffee. “Ah, better,” he said as the coffee’s magic began to take effect.


“Are you human now, Dada?” Bree asked with humor.


“Yes, I am,” Brian declared as he took a slice of toast and stole a few berries from Justin’s fruit cup.


“Get your own,” Justin said as he moved his fruit cup away from the thief.


“It’s nice to share,” both Bree and Brian declared with not so innocent smiles.


“Not when I’m hungry,” Justin stated succinctly as he chowed down. The occupants of the kitchen laughed at the antics. As breakfast resumed, the conversation revolved around the menu for the day, the guests and...


“GUUUUSSSSS!” Bree shouted as she heard the Jeep pull up in the driveway. “GUUUSSS!” she shouted again as she burst out of the front door of Edna’s Treasures.


“Hey, short stuff,” Gus said with a big grin as he caught the little whirlwind who hurled herself at him. Bree kissed all over his face making Gus laugh out loud.


The rest of the people who were in the kitchen followed Bree outside to welcome Gus home. After a long round of hugs and kisses, everyone started filing back into the house. Bree still clung to Gus.


“Bree, I need to unload the car,” Gus said gently.


“Can’t you do that later?” Bree asked with a coy smile. “I missed you.”


“Bree…”


“I’ll help you with it later,” Brian volunteered. “Come on in and have something to eat. Emmett’s cooking up a storm.”


“So what else is new?” Gus laughed. “I never go hungry when I come home.”


“Especially not on a Labor Day extravaganza weekend.”


“Definitely not,” Gus agreed.


“Hi, you guys,” a female voice called from the lane.


“Hey, Cindy,” Brian replied as he saw Rachel’s daughter walking towards them. “Good to see you again.”


“Cindy!” Bree yelled, leaping out of Gus’ arms and running towards the girl. “I haven’t seen you in forever.”


“I’ll join you in a minute, Pop,” Gus said as Brian headed for the house. “I want to get a couple of things out of the Jeep.”


“Okay,” Brian said as he disappeared into the house.


“Hi, Bree,” Cindy said as she bent down and caught Bree in a big hug. “It has been a long time. I’ve been really busy with school, and with my boyfriend.”


“Boyfriend?” Bree asked as she suddenly noted the young man who had been walking the lane with Cindy.


“Bree, this is Brett, my boyfriend,” Cindy said with a smile.


“Nice to meet you, Bree,” Brett said.


“Hi,” Bree replied sizing up this new person. She wasn’t sure she liked someone who would take up Cindy’s time. “Can we do manicures while you’re here, Cindy?” Bree asked, dismissing Brett and turning her attention back to one of her favorite people. “It’s so much fun and Ashley will be here and maybe Michelle can do it too and JR and Candy.”


“I think we might be able to arrange that,” Cindy smiled. “Do you know what color you want?”


As the girls were discussing nail polish colors, Brett walked over to the Jeep. “Nice wheels,” he said.


Gus stopped rummaging in the back of the Jeep and looked up. His gaydar started to ping immediately. “Thanks. I like it,” Gus replied.


“I’m Brett.”


“Hi, Brett. I’m Gus.”


Brett extended his hand and Gus shook it. Brett held on for just a second too long.


“Um, I need to get inside,” Gus said pulling his hand away. He grabbed a suitcase out of the Jeep and headed into the house.


“Brett, are you ready to go? I promised to help mom with the salad,” Cindy said. Bree followed her brother into the house, now that she had her plans with Cindy arranged. She gave Brett a cursory wave as she passed by.


 


*****

 



“Hi, Uncle Bobby, what are you doing over here?” Cindy asked.


“Can’t I visit my nieces and my sister?” Bobby asked with a smile.


“You forgot Dad.”


“And your Dad.”


“Of course, you can. I just thought you’d be busy helping Uncle Brian,” Cindy said. She was tearing up lettuce to make a huge tossed salad.


“Where is everybody?” Bobby asked.


“Mom and Dad wanted to scope out Brett, so they took him for a walk down to the stream.”


“And you left him to fend for himself?” Bobby asked with a wink.


“He’s a big boy.”


“Are you and Brett serious?” Bobby asked his face sobering.


“I don’t know. Maybe. I’m not sure.”


“Bringing him here to face this huge family,” Bobby said with a shake of his head, “is taking a big risk if you are.”


“I warned him it wouldn’t be easy,” Cindy responded.


“And he still wanted to come?”


“Yep. I think he really likes me. He was really interested in how many gay people would be here. I think he’s wondering if there will be an orgy or something.”


Bobby chuckled. “Did you tell him how old most of us are? Our orgy days are over.”


“Not everybody’s old,” Cindy refuted. “Brett just met Gus. And there’s Hunter and Nick.”


“And the rest of us old fogeys,” Bobby laughed.


“You’re not so old, and most of you are still hot,” Cindy said with a grin.


“Thanks, but getting back to my question, you said Brett likes you. Is that all?”


“I like him too, but I don’t know if I’m ready for anything else,” Cindy said uncertainly.


“But he might be.”


Cindy shrugged. “Michelle said I should take my time, so I plan to. But I do really like him. We’ve gone to some plays and movies and museums.”


“Really?”


“You sound surprised,” Cindy said with a frown.


“Not many guys his age are into plays and museums.”


“We do other stuff too.”


“What about romance?”


“Some of the dates were romantic,” Cindy defended herself.


“Okay, okay,” Bobby said noting the annoyed tone of voice coming from his niece. This might be a topic best left for another time.


“What can I do to help you?”


“Wash that other head of romaine,” Cindy said.


Bobby could tell she was not pleased with him.


 


*****

 



“What are you doing out here, Gus?” Brian asked as he entered the greenhouse and walked towards the back where he could see Gus sitting near the koi pond.


“Um, just thinking, Pop,” Gus replied non-committally as he looked up at his father.


Brian frowned. “It’s not like you to be anti-social.”


“I’m not anti-social, I just felt like some time by myself.”


“Is that not the definition of anti-social?” Brian asked with his crooked grin. Gus thought for a moment and then grinned back. “There’s a whole lane full of people who will be very happy to see you.”


“Yeah,” Gus agreed. “But there’s one person who won’t be here.”


“You mean Ray.”


“Yeah.”


“How come he’s not here? He knows he has an open invitation.”


“He has some work to do for his father. It seems they’re having a really good real estate season. Houses are selling like crazy. That’s why Ken and Simon couldn’t come. Ray thought he should stay and help his dad.”


“This has happened before, Gus, and you weren’t bummed like you are today.”


“I know, but I miss him.”


Brian raised an eyebrow. “We do have things called phones, you know.”


“I know, but … it’s not the same.”


“A little phone sex might help,” Brian said with a grin and a waggle of his eyebrows.


“Trust you to think of that.”


Brian frowned. “Tell me what’s really going on,” Brian said. His words were firm but kind.


“I probably shouldn’t say anything.”


“Gus!” Brian was getting tired of this cat and mouse conversation. “Just spill.”


“You saw Cindy’s boyfriend outside?” Gus asked.


“Yeah, but I didn’t pay much attention.”


“He came over to the Jeep while Bree was talking to Cindy.”


“So…?” Brian made a gesture like – get the fuck on with it.


Gus drew in a deep breath. “As soon as I saw him, my gaydar started pinging.”


“What?”


“I’m not kidding … immediately.”


“Fuck.”


“And there’s more.”


“What?” Brian demanded.


“He held out his hand for me to shake, and then … he held on just that moment too long.”


“And you were interested,” Brian surmised aloud.


Gus’ mouth dropped open. He shook his head, but then he said, “Yeah, he’s a good looking guy…”


“And Ray’s a couple hundred miles away.”


“I know I shouldn’t be thinking such things,” Gus said sadly. “I do love Ray.”


“I’m glad to hear that,” Brian said finally sitting down on the edge of the pond so that he was eye to eye with his son. “Thinking something is one thing, acting on it is something else.”


“I have no intention of acting on it,” Gus said adamantly.


“Good. Not only would that affect Ray, but think what it would do to Cindy.”


“I don’t want to hurt either of them.”


“Make sure you don’t.”


“But…”


“What?”


“Should I tell Cindy?”


Brian looked thoughtful for a minute. “Let’s not be hasty. She brought this Brent here, so there must be more to their relationship than a casual fling.”


“I thought so too, and his name is Brett,” Gus said with a grin. “If there is more to it then shouldn’t she be warned?”


“If he’s on the down low then we’ll have to speak up,” Brian said after some consideration. “But let’s wait and see how it all washes out. Maybe we won’t have to say anything at all.”


“Thanks, Pop,” Gus said reaching over and pulling his father into a hug.


“I didn’t do anything,” Brian protested, but he was pleased that Gus thought he had helped.


“You always know when something’s upsetting one of us. And you give good advice.”


“Yeah, good advice,” Brian scoffed. “People love to be told not to do anything.”


“Exactly!” Gus said with a laugh. “It’s so much easier than actually having to speak up.”


Brian scowled at his son. “Don’t you have a phone call to make?” he asked standing up and heading for the exit to the greenhouse.

 

Gus smiled at his father and then pulled out his cell phone to call Ray.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Green Eyed Monster



Chapter 2





“What’s wrong, luv?” Bertie asked Seamus. The sun was peering through the B&B curtains and their room was beginning to warm up but a light breeze kept the heat down. Seamus was restless next to Albert, continually shifting his position on the bed.


“Not sure; I feel I should be doin’ somethin’.”


“Your problem is you don’t know how to relax. You’re on holiday, damn you. There’s no need to be up with the birds preparing breakfast for your guests or cleaning rooms. You’re the guest!” Albert exclaimed.


“Hush,” Seamus grumbled, putting an end to the conversation as he rolled over on his side. He knew Albert was right but Seamus was a stubborn man not unlike another Irishman on the lane.


Seamus and Albert had flown up to Pittsburgh earlier in the week, where they were met at the airport by Emmett. Emmett and his boys had gone to the lane early to help prepare for the Labor Day celebration. Due to a last minute event, Emmett had gone back to Pittsburgh so it made sense for him to pick up Seamus and his “young man,” and bring them along. Emmett was very willing to do so since he and Drew had stayed at the Piece of Plenty several times and had become close to Seamus over the years.


When they arrived at the lane, Seamus and Albert were shown the Edna’s Treasures B&B and had the pick of whatever rooms they wished. They just happened to choose the suite that Ben and Michael had occupied when they spent their extended time on the lane while Michael recovered from his illness. A loud shriek broke through Seamus’ musings.


“What the bloody hell was that?” Bertie asked with a start, sitting up in the bed.


“Sounds like the wee lass. But what the hell was she calling out?” Seamus replied.


“We could throw on some clothes and find out. Emmett did say that everyone would be awake early.” Seamus shrugged his shoulders then nodded in agreement. They quickly washed up, dressed then walked up the lane past the greenhouse and gardens toward the main cottage. Out of courtesy, Seamus knocked on the ajar door but then pushed it open.


“Good morning,” Seamus announced as they stepped into Brian’s end of the cottage.


“Seamus, me lad, would you be wanting a cuppa and breakfast?” Brian called out in his worst accent. He received a couple of groans and a few wadded up napkins thrown at him.


“Thank you,” Bertie answered for them both. “But would you think it rude of me to suggest that you leave the brogue to Seamus. One of you is quite enough,” Albert stated in his most posh Queen’s English. The occupants of the kitchen laughed as Brian generously acquiesced and poured out coffee for the new arrivals.


“By the way,” Albert began as Emmett placed a warm muffin in front of him. “We thought we heard Briana shout. Is everything all right?” Albert asked as he nodded his thanks to Emmett.


“I’m sorry, did she wake you?” Justin asked with embarrassment.


“Not at all,” Seamus replied.


“He’s on holiday but he still rises with the birds,” Bertie commented.


“Brian,” Justin admonished before Brian could make any snarky comments. Brian gave Justin and the kitchen his most innocent look. No one believed it for a second. “Gus came home. Bree was just excited to see him,” Justin stated by way of explanation.


“Did they not get to spend time with each other over the Summer?” Seamus asked as he enjoyed his fresh melon.


“Both Bree and Gus worked for most of the Summer and then we went to Canada for business,” Justin further explained. “Gus had left for college by the time we came back with Bree.” Bertie and Seamus nodded with understanding.


“Pardon, but isn’t Miss Briana a trifle young to be working?” Albert asked as gently as he could. He understood that she was only nine.


“Not according to Bree,” Brian mumbled at the same time as Bree declared, “No I’m not.” Brian and his “mini me” glared at each other while those in the room snickered.


“I was an intern,” Bree began. “I helped my Daddy at the gallery and then I worked for Miss Cynthia and my Dada at Kinnetik,” Bree stated emphatically.


“Actually, she did quite well,” Brian added. “She has her father’s artistic eye,” Brian said proudly. “She did very well at both the gallery and the agency. Gus has been working at Kinnetik for years. If I’m lucky, he’ll take over the business one day,” Brian said with equal pride for his oldest child. Said child took that opportunity to come into the kitchen scrounging for food.


“Did I hear my name?” Gus asked as he plucked Bree off her chair, sat himself down with Bree on his lap then stuffed a muffin into his mouth.


“Seamus, Albert, this insolent young man is my son, Gus Peterson-Kinney.” Brian made the formal introductions. Gus reached over his sister’s shoulders to shake hands with the newest members of the family.


“Have you gotten the official tour of the lane yet?” Gus asked the men.


“Yes, we have, thank you,” Seamus answered. “Your lane is truly wonderful. Each home is unique and yet they blend so well with each other and the countryside.”


“Your gardens are remarkable,” Bertie commented. “In fact the whole lane reminds me of a quaint English village.” Brian beamed with pride; that was the very effect he and John were trying to achieve. “I can see why you wouldn’t want to leave it.”


“You must find hundreds of inspirational ideas for your art,” Seamus commented toward Justin.


“Justin finds beauty wherever he goes,” Brian said with a soft smile for his spouse, getting a Sunshine smile as his reward. For a moment, nothing existed except for Brian and Justin as they held each other’s gaze.


“Oh please don’t get them started,” Gus complained as everyone chuckled.


“I think it’s beautiful,” Emmett said with a sniffle. He had been hustling all sorts of picnic ware out of the cupboards and into the sun porch when he caught the tender moment. “Your parents still love each other after all this time,” he declared as he thrust a shopping bag of chips and pretzels at Gus. “Here, help,” Emmett said as he gave Gus and Bree a look.


“Yes, Auntie Emm,” the siblings sing-songed then giggled like the naughty children they were. They excused themselves as they went to help.


“You have beautiful children,” Albert said with a sigh.


“You don’t have children?” Justin asked as he freshened everyone’s cup.


“No, I don’t. I never found the right woman or man until now. And, well, I’m a bit long in the tooth to start having children now,” Bertie admitted. Seamus patted his hand.


“You can borrow ours anytime you like,” Brian said as a whole bunch of people walked through their door.


“Why can’t I ask them to move? It’s our room,” Michael whined to Ben.


“Because it’s not polite and it’s not our room,” Ben hissed back at Michael. “We once occupied those rooms and so can anyone else. Now don’t mention it again,” Ben growled then quickly put on his happy face for the sake of the family.


“Uh oh,” Bobby whispered into John’s ear as they entered the kitchen from the hall. They had been setting up some sporting equipment outside. Bobby caught the looks and the tension between Michael and Ben. John followed Bobby’s gaze.


“I wonder what got his panties in a twist,” John whispered back while stealing a kiss.


“Don’t know, but whatever it is, you know who Michael will expect to fix it,” Bobby said as he reached up to peck at John’s lips. John smirked; he knew very well indeed.


 


*****

 



“Gus…” Bree said as the two children opened and dumped the contents of the several bags of chips and pretzels into large bowls.


“Yes,” Gus replied with a grin. He wondered what Bree would ask him about this time. He was beginning to understand why his father got so jumpy when Bree started asking questions.


“Were you mean when you were like twelve?”


“Mean?”


“Yeah.”


“I’m not sure what you’re getting at, Bree,” Gus said with a frown. He never knew what Bree would come up with and this was no exception.


Bree heaved a sigh. “Were you mean to girls?”


Gus stared at his sister. She seemed very serious about this question. He decided he better treat it seriously in return. “I don’t think so,” he said honestly.


“Don’t you know?” Bree asked with her own frown.


“Um … sometimes we say things that we don’t think are bad, but the person who hears them interprets them very differently,” Gus explained as best he could.


“Oh…” Bree said her forehead creasing as she thought about what her brother had said.


“Just oh?” Gus asked.


“I don’t think Chet was doing that,” Bree stated after due diligence thinking about Chet’s motives.


“And who might Chet be?” Gus asked. “Is he that boy from Canada?”


“No, silly, that was David.”


“Well, pardonnez-moi,” Gus joked.


Bree giggled. “You’re as goofy as the other boys.”


“How many other boys are we talking about?” Gus asked.


Bree stamped her little foot. “Gus, you need to listen carefully. Are you listening?”


Gus stifled a laugh. Bree sounded so much like his father that he could hardly contain himself. “I will listen most carefully, little sister, I promise. Let’s sit down over here and you can tell me all about it.” They had finished filling all the bowls with chips and pretzels. The brother and sister walked over to a chaise and sat down on it together. “Come on, short stuff, tell me what’s going on.”


Bree proceeded to tell her big brother all about Chet and how he was taking up so much of her Patrick’s time and how he always made comments about having to do stuff with her and Ashley and how he was so mean just like David had been and how all boys were stupid.


“I’m glad you stopped long enough to breathe, short stuff,” Gus said with a laugh. “I was starting to get worried.”


Bree made a face at her brother. “It’s not funny,” she declared crossing her arms on her chest.


“Okay, okay, so what do you think we should do?” Gus asked.


“I think we should kick Chet’s ass.”


“We should, should we?” Gus chuckled.


“Yes,” was the definitive answer.


“Bree, Chet’s just a kid, and so is Patrick. Guys like to hang out together.”


“How come?”


“It’s … a guy thing,” Gus said unable to think of a better reason.


“Chet’s mean. Even when Patrick invites us to do stuff with them, Chet makes faces. I know he doesn’t want me and Ashley around.”


Gus slipped his arm around Bree’s back and pulled her into a hug. “Patrick is your cousin and your friend. He would never let anyone hurt you. You know that.”


“Yes,” Bree sniffled, “but he likes Chet too.”


“Isn’t he allowed to have other friends?” Gus asked.


“Well …yeah, I guess, but … they should be nice friends, ones who like me too.”


“But they’re boys, turning into teenagers. I guarantee when they get a few years older, they’re going to want to be your … friend.”


“I don’t see why getting older will make any difference,” Bree griped.


“Trust me it will.”


“Okay, if you say so, but what am I going to do now? Why can’t boys be nice now?” Bree asked snuggling into Gus’ hug and looking up into his eyes.


Gus was at a loss about what more he could tell her. “Have you talked to Pop and Justin about this?” He thought maybe they could sort things out for Bree. Or maybe they couldn’t, but it wouldn’t be his problem any longer.


“Sort of…” Bree replied.


“And what did they say?”


“Nuffin’.”


Gus chuckled. “So, you really haven’t told them how you’re feeling.”


“Well, Daddy’s feeling better, and Dada’s happy because he is. I didn’t want to ruin that.”


“So you’ve been worrying all by yourself.”


Bree nodded against Gus’ chest. “Until you got here. I miss you when you’re not here.”


“And have I helped at all?” Gus asked hoping Bree was feeling a little better.


“Only if you help me kick Chet’s ass.”


“I can’t do that, Bree.”


“I know,” Bree sighed. “I guess I’ll have to do it myself.”


“Bree!”


“I’m kidding. I know I can’t kick anybody,” Bree conceded.


“I’m glad you know that, you little tease.” Gus started tickling his sister.


She was giggling hysterically when Emmett came into the sun porch to see what was taking them so long. He smiled affectionately at the children. Even with the big age gap they had such a close relationship.


 


*****

 



People kept arriving at the lane. Lindsay and her beau, Charles, drove in bringing Candy with them. Lindsay was so excited to see Gus and dragged him into the sun porch at Edna’s Treasures to discuss his plans for the Fall and for school. Charles was left to fend for himself, but he didn’t really mind. He was considered a newbie in the family group, but he had been around long enough to be accepted. He was quite pleased with that fact. He had to admit that he quite enjoyed this strange conglomeration of misfits and highly successful individuals. It was a very interesting group to be a part of.


Charles was talking to Seth and Jennifer when Susanna and Ashley arrived. Bree appeared immediately and whisked her friend away to plot what they would do if Chet and his family decided to come to the party. Bree knew that John and Bobby had invited them, a fact which had not pleased her in the least.


“Susanna, come join us,” Jennifer said as Susanna was looking around the big yard at all the tables of people. She looked a little lost.


“Oh, thanks, I’d love to,” she responded as Seth pulled an extra chair over to their table under one of the trees. “There’s so many people here. It’s overwhelming.”


“This bunch is overwhelming at the best of times,” Jennifer laughed.


“Too true.”


“Have you met Charles?” Jennifer asked. “He’s the director of the National Art Gallery in London, England.”


“Wow!” Susanna responded as she took the hand that Charles held out to her. “I’m impressed.” She smiled and blushed at the handsome man.


“No need to be,” Charles said modestly as he resisted the urge to kiss the hand that Susanna gave him. She was a very attractive woman. “It’s just a job like any other,” he said in his lovely English accent.


“It sounds like a lot more than just a job,” Susanna said with a smile when Charles finally released her hand.


“Would you like some lemonade?” Charles asked. “I was about to go get a drink for myself.”


“Oh, I’d love some,” Susanna replied. “Shall I come with you?”


“Would you like a drink, my dear?” Seth asked his wife. Jennifer shook her head holding up a glass that was half full.


“Then may I escort you to the drink table?” Charles asked holding out his arm for Susanna to take hold of.


Susanna couldn’t stop the nervous little giggle that escaped her lips as she linked her arm through Charles’.


“We won’t be long,” Charles said as he steered Susanna over to the large table holding lemonade, wine, liquor and every manner of soft drink.


Charles poured a lemonade for Susanna when she indicated that was indeed her preference. He got a glass of wine for himself. Susanna took his arm again as they strolled back to Seth and Jennifer with their drinks in hand.


“I can’t believe you’re here in rural Pennsylvania when you run such an important gallery,” Susanna stated. She was very impressed with this man, this gentleman.


“You have an important artist living right here in rural Pennsylvania,” Charles replied with a warm smile for Susanna.


“Yes we do,” Susanna agreed. “I often forget how renowned Justin has become. He’s my friend, and that’s the way I think of him.”


“And well you should. He’s a fine fellow,” Charles said.


“Is that how you got to join this group, through Justin?” Susanna asked as they sauntered along at an easy pace.


“Partly. I also am a … friend of Lindsay’s.”


“Oh, of course, she’s very much part of the art world too.”


“Yes, yes she is,” Charles said. “And what do you do, my dear.”


“I’m a school teacher,” Susanna replied, thinking that it sounded so mundane compared to what Charles did for a living.


“That’s a noble profession.”


“Yes it is,” Susanna said with a warm smile for Charles’ kind comment about teaching. A lot of people dismissed teaching as something you did when you weren’t good at anything else.


“What age group do you teach?”


“High school.”


“They can be challenging,” Charles observed.


“Yes, they can, but I love teaching.”


“That’s wonderful. One should enjoy their job.”


“Yes, one should,” Susanna replied with a lilting giggle.


“You have a wonderful laugh, my dear.”


“Thank you,” Susanna said with a radiant smile. She looked up into Charles’ eyes.

 

That was how Lindsay first saw them together, and she didn’t like what she saw one little bit.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Green Eyed Monster



Chapter 3






“You have some interesting friends,” Michael said as he stood next to Brian while Brian was grilling the first round of meat.


“That we do,” Brian agreed as he neatly arranged the large platter of hotdogs and hamburgers. He had learned long ago that no matter what he grilled throughout the day or how stuffed everyone claimed to get, there was always room for one more hotdog or burger. Plus, the kids usually polished off this platter within minutes from when it was taken out of his hands. Brian caught Richie’s eye and slightly raised the laden platter. Richie smiled as he hurried over.


“Go feed the younguns,” Brian teased as he handed the platter to the pretty young man, who for today, was wearing masculine clothing.


“Sure, Uncle Brian,” Richie acknowledged as he turned to walk away. Before he did, Michael grabbed the uppermost hotdog off the pile and took a large bite.


“Nice, Mikey, soon you’ll be stealing candy from babies,” Brian snarked. “So what’s got your knickers in a knot today?” Brian poured himself a large lemonade from a nearby pitcher. His backyard fairies knew from experience that it was hot work standing by the grill for most of the day and Brian truly enjoyed doing it but he needed fluids. Beer wasn’t the best option.


“That Seamus guy.”


“What about him?”


“He’s in my room.”


“Excuse me?”


“He’s in my room,” Michael repeated with his usual whine.


“Michael, make sense before I smack you with my spatula,” Brian growled as he brandished his large grilling spatula in the air.


“Your friends Seamus and Albert are staying in my rooms at the big cottage,” Michael clarified through gritted teeth.


Brian studied his ‘friend’ then looked over to where Seamus and Albert were sitting. They had chosen a nice quiet table under a large umbrella close to the edge of the garden near the tree line. With them were Riley and Danny as well as Claire, Steve, Jennifer and Seth. Brian deduced that since the four couples were somewhat mature and formed their relationships later in life, plus somehow had gotten sucked up into his cwazy wittle family, that they were all kindred spirits. They had a lot in common.


“Michael, the big cottage as you call it, was built so that any of you lot can come up here, stay as long as you like and not crowd my house. It was fun for a while but we need our space and Justin needs the sun porch as his studio. No one has assigned rooms at the inn. It’s first come first served.”


“But, me and Ben stayed there for months; it’s like ours,” Michael huffed then crossed his arms across his chest.


“You look like you’re five. Quit it,” Brian commanded. Just then Brian had a thought, a somewhat awful thought but he needed to voice it. “Michael, do you want your own cottage up here?” Michael looked up at Brian in shock. “Yes, you heard me. We have plenty of space and now that JR is getting older and has practically taken over the shop, you and Ben can take real vacations, not just a long weekend here and there.” Brian searched his friend’s eyes. Since Michael’s illness some of the fire had gone out. Brian surmised that a lot of it was due to the slow recovery and the fact that Michael was having trouble coping with JR getting older. JR, like the rest of the children, was growing up. The next generation was ready to take their rightful places. Neither he nor Michael was ready for retirement anytime soon, but eventually...


“Our own cottage?” Michael asked with renewed happiness in his voice.


“Yes, maybe across from Emmett. Near the gate. That way I don’t have to hear you and Ben go at it all the time. It’s bad enough I hear Rachel and George when the wind is right.” Brian gave an exaggerated shudder. “Hetero sex. Yuck. Worse, old hetero sex.”


“They’re not that old. Rachel’s younger than you!” Michael said with a laugh. “Besides, Mom and Carl still have sex. Talk about old!” Michael made a face. The friends burst out laughing and that warmed Brian’s heart.


“You okay now,” Brian asked as he leaned down to kiss the side of Michael’s face. “I’ll always love you.”


“I know. I love you too, and I’ll talk to Ben about the cottage. I like the idea.”


“Good. Now get out of here so I can go back to grilling for this motley crew,” Brian said as he waved the dreaded spatula in the air again. Michael laughed as he feigned fear then trotted back to his spouse.


“Justin’s going to kill me,” Brian muttered to himself, as he accepted a large tray of steaks and chicken from John and began to grill and plot.


 


*****

 



“She’s very pretty,” Lindsay grumbled.


“Who is?” Justin asked as he brought a large pitcher of iced tea over to where Lindsay was sitting. “And why are you hiding in here?” Lindsay was in the sun porch.


“I was feeling overheated so I thought I’d cool off before going back outside.” The truth was Lindsay was beginning to feel her age which she’d never admit. Summer was not giving up without a fight, not so with Lindsay’s body. Outwardly, she remained fit, trim and lovely but she and Brian were the same age. As the summer heat flashed, so did Lindsay, with her own hot flashes. It angered and saddened her. She could no longer compete with women like Susanna. Pretty, intelligent and still able to have children. Lindsay was a bit jealous.


“Who’s pretty?” Justin asked trying to get back to his original question.


“Susanna,” Lindsay replied.


“Yes, she is. Does that bother you? You’re a beautiful woman.”


“She’s...” Justin followed Lindsay’s gaze. Susanna was outside at one of the smaller tables being “chatted up” by Charles.


“I see. He has a reputation.”


“One he freely admits. Justin, I can’t compete.”


“And why should you. Lindsay, you’re a beautiful, intelligent woman. You’re going to own the art gallery soon. You know how Sidney has been making noises about retiring. He has no one to leave the gallery to. You and he share the same visions regarding art. Are you so much in love with Charles that his flirtations really make that much of a difference? You know there are a lot of men and women who would love to be involved with you.”


Lindsay thought about it for a while. The cool of the porch and the iced tea seemed to have calmed her down. “No, you’re right. I do like Charles a lot. He’s handsome, in a roguish way, and he certainly knows how to treat a woman. He says all the right things, he does all the right things and there’s something about his accent. But I don’t think I want a permanent relationship with him or anyone at the moment. You’re right about Sidney. We’ve been meeting with his lawyer. The gallery will be mine soon.” Justin gave Lindsay a hug of congratulations.


“Can you afford it? We can help,” Justin offered.


“I’m fine. We’re working it out,” Lindsay assured him. “I love my work. I love working with you and all the young artists. You remember Jamie?” Justin nodded. “Motherhood has inspired her and there’s a market for her unusual technique,” Lindsay smiled.


“So what about Charles?” Justin asked.


“We have fun, when he’s in town. And I’ve gone over there a few times. He treats me like royalty. But I suspect he treats most women like that.”


“Maybe you should warn Susanna, in a friendly way,” Justin said mischievously.


“Maybe I should,” Lindsay said with a twinkle in her eye. She finished off her iced tea, steeled her shoulders then marched out of the sun porch toward Susanna.


“Charles will never know what hit him,” Justin chuckled as he went to fill in Brian.


 


*****

 



“Hey,” Justin said as he sidled up to Brian and the grill. “Are you okay over here? Do you want a break?” Brian and his grill were in the shade but it was still hot.


“I’m fine. Just keep me supplied with lemonade,” Brian said as he stole a kiss.


“No problem. Has Lindsay said anything to you about Chaarrles?” Justin asked, exaggerating Charles’ name.


“No, why?”


“Charles is flirting with Susanna and Lindsay’s nose is slightly out of joint about it.”


“Do I need to kill Charles?” Brian asked nonchalantly as he flipped over the chicken.


“Lindsay can take care of herself. She told me she’s not that serious about him.”


“Good. Long distance affairs don’t go very well.”


“Ours did.”


“You weren’t that far away.”


“True.”


“Besides, I have many attributes that Charles doesn’t have, that kept you coming back,” Brian boasted.


“Such as?” Justin asked with a smirk.


Brian leaned down to whisper into Justin’s ear all about his very special attributes. Justin felt himself grow hard then forced himself away from Brian before they got themselves in trouble.


“You’re so easy, Sunshine,” Brian teased. “Seriously, do you think Lindsay will be okay? She’s been through hell with Melanie, Sam was a shit and that Gui person only wanted her for his green card.”


“She’ll be fine. She has other more important things to think about.”


“Speaking about other important things,” Brian began. Justin became suspicious.


“Brian, what did you do?”


“Offered to build a cottage for Michael and Ben,” he said with a shrug.


“Oh. Okay. Where?”


“Across from Emm, near the gate.”


“Hmm, that’s a nice location. A bit close to the turn off by the highway but it’s surrounded by thick trees. If they’re not too set back they won’t hear any traffic.”


“I thought so too,” Brian agreed slightly surprised that Justin wasn’t having a cow.


“Besides, the lane is a little lopsided with the majority of the buildings on our side. There’s only Molly’s on that side of the lane.”


“I thought so too. You’re taking this very well. I did say Michael and Ben, you know pain in the ass Mikey. Mikey who would come over to the loft any time he pleased.”


“Brian, I know why you want to build a place for him and I have no objections. It’s a nice thing to do. Now grill and don’t burn the chicken.” Justin made a shooing motion at Brian.


“Yes, dear,” Brian squeaked as he took the hint and paid attention to his grill. “I love you,” Brian said to Justin’s retreating back.


“I know,” Justin replied smugly as he continued to walk away, giving his ass an extra wiggle knowing the reaction it would get. Justin had his own special attributes.


 


*****

 



John was loading another tray of steaks in the kitchen of Edna’s Treasures when the buzzer went off signaling that someone was at the gate to the lane. With a frown John walked over to the intercom. The lane was packed with people, and he thought that everybody that they truly expected to be there had already arrived.


“Yes?” John said into the intercom. He hoped it wasn’t somebody trying to crash the party, or someone like Justin’s father who always seemed to put a damper on things.


“Is that you, John? It’s Mitch Larkin. I’m sorry we’re so late, but I hope the party’s still on.”


John smiled. “I’m sure you can hear that the party’s going strong, even from the road.”


“Sounds like you’ve got quite a group of people in there,” Mitch replied.


“More like a mob.”


“May we join the mob?”


“Sure, come to the top of the lane. I’ll help you find a place to park.” John pushed the button to open the gate. He walked back to the counter and finished arranging the tray of steaks. He put them back in the fridge before he walked to the front door of the house.


He could see Mitch’s black BMW slowly making its way up the crowded lane which was lined with parked cars. He waved at Mitch and indicated that he should pull his car onto the grass at the side of his cottage. He knew Brian wouldn’t appreciate a car on the grass there, but these were his guests. He’d deal with the wrath of Brian later.


“Wow!” Mitch said as he got out of his car. “Thanks for the parking spot. I don’t know what we would have done otherwise.”


“Park in Bridgeton,” John said with a laugh as he shook Mitch’s hand. “And walk over.”


Mitch chuckled. “You could be right. Anne wouldn’t like that one little bit,” he whispered to John, as they both watched a tall, statuesque, imperious looking woman get herself out of the BMW.


John sized her up as she straightened her dress. It was far too fancy for a barbecue. She was wearing high heels which would get stuck in the grass. John groaned inwardly deciding that inviting Mitch’s wife might not have been such a good idea. She looked bossy, domineering and not happy to be there.


“Welcome,” John said plastering on a big smile and holding out his hand to the woman.


“I’m Anne,” she replied as she shook his hand briefly, very briefly.


“Where’s Patrick?” Chet asked as he got out of the back of the car.


“He’s around somewhere,” John replied.


“Chet, wait your turn,” Anne said sternly. “I haven’t been properly introduced to this … gentleman.”


“Sorry, dear,” Mitch said quickly. “This is John Anderson, Patrick’s father. I’ve told you about him and his husband, Bobby.”


“Yes, you have.” Anne looked past John and her husband at the cottage from which John had emerged. “This is very … quaint,” she said with a wave of her hand.


“We like it,” John replied. He was beginning to see where Chet got a lot of his attitude from.


“I’m sorry we’re late,” Mitch said. He refrained from adding, ‘Because Anne couldn’t decide what to wear.’


“No problem,” John said. “Most people have been having something to eat. My brother’s barbecuing up a storm. I’d like you to meet him.”


“That would be great,” Mitch agreed.


John led them around the side of the cottage. He stopped for a minute while Anne and Mitch took in the number of tables of people and the expanse of land that lay in front of them.


“This is amazing,” Mitch said with a big smile. “Who would know from the road that all this was up here?”


“We like to keep it our little secret.”


“Not so much a secret,” Anne said tallying up how many more people she would have to meet before the afternoon was over. As she did so, she managed to extricate her high heel from the grass where it was wedged.


John proceeded over to the barbecue grills to introduce Brian to his guests. Anne walked awkwardly, her heels sinking into the grass at every step. Chet followed along obediently.


“Brian, this is Chet and his parents, Mitch and Anne,” John said jovially as he approached the grill where Brian was flipping steaks. He hoped Brian wasn’t in a snarky mood as he often was in the heat of the day when he was grilling.


Brian turned to meet John’s guests. It wasn’t often that his brother invited people to their barbecues. He had told himself to be nice. “Pleasure to meet you all,” he said with a smile.


“Looks like a hot job,” Mitch said.


“It can be.”


“I’m happy to finally meet you,” Mitch said. “I’ve heard a lot about you and your husband. I’ve met your daughter.”


“Bree,” Brian said with a chuckle. “She’s a going concern.”


“I’ve noticed. Where is she?”


“Trying to organize her Labor Day soccer game,” Brian replied. “She’s around here somewhere.”


“Where’s Patrick?” Chet ventured to ask.


“He’s probably with her,” Brian replied. He took note of the face that Chet made, when he said Patrick might be with his daughter. He could see why Bree wasn’t so fond of this lad. “Would you care for a hamburger or a hotdog or a steak? There’s all kinds of salads and drinks in the sun porch.”


“A small steak would suit me – medium rare,” Anne said in much the way she would order steak at a fancy restaurant. Once again she had to pull her high heels from the grass they had sunk into.


“Hi,” Molly said. “I’m Brian’s sister-in-law. I saw you were having trouble with your shoes,” she said to Anne, who made a face much like Chet was prone to do when she heard Molly’s comment. “I made the same mistake way back when,” Molly continued undeterred by Anne’s reaction, “so I brought you a pair of sandals. I think they’ll fit. I wouldn’t want you to ruin such beautiful shoes.”


Anne smiled at Molly’s comment. “They are my favorites,” Anne said, “and they cost a fortune.”


“I could tell they were designer,” Molly replied. “When you get your food, please join us at our table over there,” Molly said pointing to where Owen and his parents were seated along with the Sarah Kingsley. Owen waved back at them.


“Isn’t that the Sarah Kingsley?” Anne asked in amazement.


“Yes, she’s my husband’s grandmother.”


“We’d be delighted to join you, my dear,” Anne said as she made the transfer of her shoes. “Things are looking up,” she whispered to her husband.


“Great,” Molly said with a smile. “I’ll take your shoes over to the table if you’d like. Then you don’t have to worry about them while you get your plates.”


“Very nice of you,” Anne said handing the shoes to Molly.


“I have your steak all ready,” Brian said handing a plate containing a small steak to Anne.


“That looks perfect,” Anne said. “I love a man who knows what he’s doing.”


“We aim to please,” Brian responded trying to keep the sarcasm out of his voice. “And what would the men like?” he asked Chet and his father.


Soon the Larkin family was ensconced at Molly’s table. Anne was attempting to convince Sarah Kingsley that they had many acquaintances in common. Mitch was getting to know Owen and Owen Sr. Chet was gobbling down his hamburger and looking rather forlorn.


“Hi,” Patrick and Bree both said as they ran up to the table.


“Hi,” Chet said to Patrick, finally cheering up at the sight of his friend. He ignored Bree.


“Want to play in the soccer game?” Patrick asked his friend. “We need at least one more person.”


“Soccer’s not Patrick’s game,” Mitch said. “Baseball is.”


“I’m good at all sports,” Chet stated haughtily. He really believed that he was, and he would enjoy showing Bree just how good he was.


“Yes, you are very good at everything you do, Chet darling,” Anne agreed giving a reassuring pat to her son’s arm.


“I’ll play,” Chet said with a sneer for Bree.


“Great,” Patrick said, “but, um, Bree’s a really good soccer player.” He thought he better warn his friend.


“Not as good as me,” Chet said confidently. That earned him a proud smile from his mother and a shake of the head from his father.


Patrick looked at Bree. He saw the set of her jaw and the look of determination on her face. This was not going to be pretty.


Soon, the soccer game was underway, adults and children alike fighting for possession of the ball. Chet managed to get the ball from an opponent and he raced down the field knowing without any doubt that he was going to score the first goal of the game. Suddenly a small body came at him from the left side of the field. He glanced over and saw that it was that annoying girl, Bree. He gave her a wicked smile and turned up the speed. He raced for the goal seeing that the way was mostly clear except for the goaltender who didn’t look like he was much opposition.


All of a sudden, he felt someone close behind him. He glanced around and saw that Bree was keeping pace with him. He couldn’t run any faster, and she shouldn’t be able to keep up with him … but she was. He thought about his strategy for scoring the goal. He wanted it to be spectacular. He lined up his shot. As he did so, he felt something touch his leg. He looked down to see Bree’s tiny foot take control of the ball and knock it away to one of her teammates. He had been stripped of the ball. He couldn’t believe it. He stopped running and stood staring as the other team ran the ball back down the field and scored a goal.


“Good try,” Patrick said coming up to his friend.


“Shut up!” Chet retorted.


“But…”


“Leave me alone,” Chet commanded as he ran down the field to get back in the action. He wasn’t going to let that girl show him up. He’d score the next time he had the ball.


However, that was not to be. Every time Chet got the ball, Bree would race after him and take it away. She never scored herself, but her team was leading by three goals. Finally a time out was called.


“Bree,” Brian said as he walked over to where his daughter was drinking water.


“Yes, Dada?” Bree said happily.


“Don’t you think you’ve punished him enough?”


“Huh?”


“You know what I mean.”


“I’m way better at soccer than he is, Dada,” Bree tried to defend her actions. “He deserves to be … hu…”


“Humbled, humiliated, hung out to dry,” Brian supplied.


“Yeah, all of those.”


“You’ve already done so, so give him a break.”


“But, Dada…”


“He’s a guest. This is the first time his family has been here. Give him a chance,” Brian advised.


Bree looked dejected, but she sort of knew her father was right. “I will,” she said grudgingly.


“And Bree,” Brian continued, “there are other ways to make your point.” Brian winked at his daughter.

 

“There are?” Bree’s brow creased in thought. Then a smile started to play around the edges of her mouth. She knew what she would do. She raced back onto the field and never went near Chet again. Instead, she scored two goals of her own. It turned out to be a very satisfying game for Bree, and not so much for her arch-enemy.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Green Eyed Monster



Chapter 4






The soccer game came to an abrupt end when Chet, claiming the need of the “facilities”, stomped off the field. Several players were in need of fuel and the elders were itching to start up a game of softball. So the kids left the field to find food and other forms of play while the next group of sportsmen and women prepared the field for softball.


Bree ran up to her elder father and threw her sweaty little self into his arms. Brian had finally taken a well deserved break from the grill. He knew he’d be cooking a bit later when everyone got their second wind and were hungry again, but for now he sat under a large umbrella with a large iced tea.


“Have you finished thrashing your opponent?” Brian whispered in his daughter’s ear. Bree beamed at her father as she nodded furiously. “Go inside, wash your face then find Ashley. If it’s all right with Ashley’s mom, you can take Beau down to the stream with you and dip your toes in the water.”


“If Miss Susanna comes with us can we go in a little deeper?”


“Yes, you may. Or maybe JR and Candy would like to go too. Have a little girl time,” Brian suggested. Bree appeared to seriously consider Brian’s suggestion then gave him an even brighter smile. He knew that sometimes girls needed time to themselves for an “I hate all men,” or in this case, boys, dish session.


Bree gave Brian a kiss and a hug then went off to find the girls. He watched as Bree sprinted over to Ashley who was sitting with her mom. When Susanna nodded, the girls took off to find JR and Candy. JR and Candy were in their own little huddle at a table close to the sun porch. Brian watched all four girls go into the cottage then emerge a few minutes later with towels and wearing different clothes. The four of them took off toward the stream with Beau leading the way.


“What did you say to her?” John asked as he sat himself down in a chair next to his brother.


“I suggested she wash up, grab the girls and head for the stream for a bitch session.”


“You did not!” John looked appalled.


“I may have put it slightly differently but in essence that’s exactly what I suggested.”


“What the hell does a nine year old girl have to bitch about?” John asked.


“Boys,” Gus answered as he walked up to them and sat in a nearby chair. “She wanted to know why some boys were mean and if I was mean when I was younger. I really didn’t know what to say to her.”


“You grew up in a house of women; you were never mean to girls,” Brian stated. “Besides, with Debbie around, at the first mean thing that might have slipped from your mouth, she would have smacked the side of your head,” Brian said, unconsciously rubbing the side of his head, having being the recipient of many a head smack.


“Whereas Bree is growing up in a house of boys,” John stated the obvious.


“We’re not mean,” Brian said.


“No, we’re not but she sees life from a different perspective,” John reminded him. “It’s not any better or worse, just different,” John assured Brian with a pat to his arm. John knew that Brian had occasional doubts about their somewhat secluded life on the lane. And that Bree might suffer from it. “Patrick is thriving here. And so is Bree,” John said giving Brian a poignant look.


“She’s cool, Pop, really. Patrick may have to pretend to hate girls like the rest of his friends but he’ll always love Bree, and this won’t last long,” Gus said with wisdom. “They’ll work it out but we may have a more pressing problem.” Gus had lowered his voice and moved in closer to consult the Kinney men. John and Brian leaned in closer to listen to Gus.


“It’s Brett,” Gus began.


“Cindy’s Brett?” John asked. Gus nodded. “What about him?”


“He’s been flirting with everyone.”


“Everyone?” Brian asked with an arch of his brow.


“Every male everyone, when he thinks Cindy isn’t looking. He came onto me again. He nearly came in his pants when Drew was helping Emmett move some tables over by the B&B. You know how Drew likes to tease Emmett by flexing his muscles. And he practically had to roll his tongue back into his mouth when Ben walked by. And these guys are old!”


Brian and John scowled at Gus.


“You know what I mean. I feel bad for Cindy. Do you know if she’s serious about him,” Gus asked. The Kinney men weren’t sure.


Just then a loud ruckus on the playing field caught their attention. The Kinney men stood and then laughed as Bobby was chased off the field with the cries of “No fair!” following him. Bobby trotted over to the Kinney boys then plopped himself down on the grass beside them. John handed Bobby a cold beer.


“What was that all about?” John asked.


“Aaa, those wusses just can’t take the competition,” Bobby said smugly. John smiled proudly as he ruffled his spouse’s fiery red hair. Brian wasn’t the only one who went to school on an athletic scholarship. “What’s up with the worried faces?” Bobby asked when he noticed their expressions.


“Um, well, uh...” Gus stammered.


“It’s a little difficult to, um, explain,” John shrugged not knowing how to bring up the subject regarding Brett’s indiscretions.


“Oh, for fuck’s sake,” Brian grumbled. “Brett’s been cruising anything with a dick all afternoon,” Brian spat out.


“Nice going, Pop,” Gus said as he smacked his own eyes shut and shook his head.


John just looked down as he groaned. “You have some way with words, little bro,” John growled.


“That’s why I’m good at what I do. I believe in truth in advertising,” Brian stated sarcastically. Then the Kinney men began to argue amongst themselves about just how they should break the news to Cindy.


“Shut up!” Bobby demanded as he tried to think. It suddenly became very quiet in their little patch of the yard.


 


*****

 



“How did an Englishman get involved with this lot?” Albert asked Charles when they found themselves at the salad table in the sun porch at the same time.


“I could ask you the same,” Charles responded as he added more of Debbie’s excellent potato salad to his plate.


“They’re very friendly,” Albert said with a shrug.


“I agree.”


“You seem to be very friendly yourself,” Albert stated.


“You noticed.”


“So did several others,” Albert retorted as he poured a little vinaigrette dressing over his greens. “May I offer you some advice, one Englishman to another?” Charles nodded. “I’ve only spent a few days getting to know these fine people and I’ve found that they’re fiercely devoted to one another. Like all families, they have their squabbles but hurt one and you may have a lynch mob on your hands.”


“Duly noted,” Charles nodded. He was well aware that his cavalier ways had gotten him into trouble in the past.


“Are you serious about the lady?” Albert asked.


“I could be. She’s a rare find these days. Beauty, brains, talented in her own right. She has good instincts, which in our business, is crucial. But we do have an ocean between us.”


“Then be honest with her. I suspect the lady would appreciate it. And while you’re a guest of this family,” Albert said as he cocked his head toward the mass of people in the yard. “Be respectful.”


Charles gave him a coy smile. “May I ask, how did you get involved with them?”


“I think they adopted my partner,” Albert laughed. “Something about his brogue, I suspect.” Albert chuckled.


“That’s another thing,” Charles began, hinting at the centuries old rift between the English and the Irish. Albert held up a hand and shook his head.


“Matters of the heart are more important than silly politics. And at our age, I’d rather listen to my heart. You should too,” Albert stated as he turned to leave.


 


*****

 



“Anne, dear, we have so many acquaintances in common,” Sharon Brenner said as she patted Anne’s hand. “Why are you living way out here? Wouldn’t you be more comfortable in the city?” Sharon was still a bit of a snob but the family overlooked it.


“We’re only here for the summer. My husband’s family has property closer to Bridgeton and well, you know,” Anne began as she leaned in closer to whisper. “One must give the appearance of liking one’s in-laws,” she said with a put upon sigh.


“Oh I do understand,” Sharon agreed. She loved Molly and her dear little grandson. Sharon knew Molly made her son very happy but sometimes old habits died hard.


The ladies had decided to take a table away from the main crowd. Sarah Kingsley was holding court nearby. Several family members including Justin and Lindsay were sitting with her discussing upcoming cultural events. Sarah sat on the boards of many cultural committees as did Lindsay. They were discussing a possible expansion of the Bloom Gallery and other joint ventures with PIFA. Ted was also included in the impromptu conference not only as a distinguished Pittsburgh businessman but as the representative of Kinnetik. Brian and Kinnetik supported the arts. He offered Kinnetik’s services pro bono on a continual basis.


“Mrs. Brenner,” Anne offered respects to the elder lady.


“Sharon, please,” Sharon insisted.


“Thank you. Sharon, these, people are quite, unusual,” Anne said, not wanting to offend but feeling out of her element.


“That’s putting it mildly,” Sharon chuckled. “Yes, they are an eclectic bunch. Let me put your mind at ease. If your darling son intends on keeping his friendship with sweet Patrick then allow me to give you the who’s who of this family.”


“Oh please, any help will be appreciated. My poor Chet is a remarkable young man but for some reason he has few friends. And he does seem to like Patrick.”


For the next thirty minutes Sharon gave Anne the rundown of each family member, what they did for a living and their importance to Pittsburgh.


“Excuse me, that body builder is a professor at Carnegie Mellon?” Anne stared at Ben as he walked by holding a tray of empty pitchers.


“Oh yes, and a published author. And Emmett over there is Pittsburgh’s number one rated event planner.”


“Emmett. Emmett Honeycutt! I tried to engage him for my holiday party last year but I waited too long. He was fully booked. I was so disappointed. But he was so kind though, and set me up with one of his competitors. I was shocked. They did a lovely job but it wasn’t Emmett.”


“Oh I know. We have a standing booking with him,” Sharon proudly said. Anne looked a little bilious then changed the subject.


“You mentioned that this lane is owned by Brian Kinney.”


“Yes, he and his brother.”


“But isn’t he the chef?”


“Chef?”


“When we first arrived, we were introduced to a Brian and then he handed me a steak. Perfectly grilled, by the way. I thought he was the chef. You’re telling me he owns all this?” Anne was aghast.


“My dear Anne, if you want to get along in this society you must pay closer attention,” Sharon advised. After her years as a member of the family, she was learning. “And of course there’s Justin Taylor!”


Just then Brian glided past them toward the table where Sarah Kingsley had taken temporary ownership. Brian had decided he smelled too much like barbecue for his liking so he had ducked inside to take a quick shower and to change clothes. Casually dressed in his well worn jeans and t-shirt, Brian Kinney still turned the heads of both sexes as he walked through the yard.


“Ladies,” he purred as he dipped his head toward them and smiled while he sauntered past.


“I know he’s gay but he can still make my heart flutter,” Sharon said with a sigh.


“He’s gay?” Anne asked.


“Oh Anne, you must get with the program!” Sharon began to educate the younger woman more intensely.


 


*****

 



“My dear Miss Sarah,” Brian said boldly with a southern drawl as he gently took hold of Sarah’s hand and kissed it while giving the elderly lady his best flirting expression. She laughed and batted him away.


“You are such a flirt,” she said as she blushed.


“I appreciate beauty when I see it,” Brian stated. Before anyone could refute his statement, Brian sat as he continued, “This is a party not a committee meeting! May I freshen your drink or bring you something?”


“I’m fine, thank you, Brian dear. And you are so right, this is a party. But I prefer discussing art in this lovely setting rather than an impersonal boardroom.” Sarah also knew the importance of flirty persuasion.


“Then I’ll leave you to it,” Brian said as he stood and took Sarah’s hand again to bow over it. He smiled fondly at Lindsay, glowered at Ted, then gently kissed Justin’s cheek before sauntering away.


“He does have a bit of the devil in him, doesn’t he?” Sarah said with a smile as they all watched Brian walk away to mingle with other family.


“You can say that again.”


“You don’t know the half of it.”


“That’s an understatement.”


This was the three part chorus Sarah received in return. They all laughed then got back to their discussion before Brian had interrupted.


 


*****

 



“Cindy.”


“Don’t say it, Mom,” Cindy said as Rachel and Bobby approached her.


“Don’t say what, sweetheart?” Rachel asked.


“Mom, I’m not blind or an idiot although sometimes I’m a fool.”


“Never a fool,” Rachel said as she hugged her daughter. Bobby sidled up to them in support.


“He’s gay isn’t he, or at least bi-curious. I should have known when our romantic evenings together weren’t so romantic. He’s nice, takes me to the right places and says the right things but there’s no substance behind it. And after growing up in this family I should have recognized the signs.”


“Sometimes we see only what we want to see,” Bobby commented.


“Is that the lawyer talking or my uncle?”


“Both. Would you like us to rough him up for you?” Bobby said with a smirk. Rachel nodded yes while Cindy snorted.


“As an officer of the court, wouldn’t you have to report yourself?” Cindy teased.


“Yes, but it would be worth it. John and Gus would be happy to help, not to mention Brian.”


“Do they know?” Cindy didn’t like that the whole family knew.


“They’re the ones who told me. They won’t say a word. I promise.” Bobby held up his hand to swear his oath.


“Do you want me and your father to speak to Brett? We’ll tell him off,” Rachel vowed, her eyes shooting venom.


“No thanks, Mom. I’ll take care of it. The fact that I’m not that broken up about it should be an indication that he wasn’t the “one.” I just don’t like to be lied to. If all he wanted was friendship, he should have said. I love you both,” Cindy said as she gave her mother a hug and her uncle a kiss. They watched her go to confront Brett.


“Children,” Rachel sighed. “You never stop being a parent no matter how old they get.”


“Yeah,” Bobby agreed.


“What’s wrong?” Rachel’s motherly instincts were at high alert.


“Patrick is discovering that some of his friends want to hang out with just the guys and that his best friend, who’s a little strawberry blond spitfire, is not considered one of the guys. He’s torn. He loves Bree so much but sometimes guys just want to be with guys.”


“And Bree hasn’t learned that yet,” Rachel said. “Hmm, where is Bree?”


“Down by the stream with the girls.”


“As a mother of girls and as once a girl myself, I think I qualify to give advice regarding girl stuff. Maybe I’ll go to the stream.”


“You do that, sis. I think she’d appreciate it. Besides, you do have a vested interest in Patrick’s well being,” Bobby said with a warm smile and a hug for his very special sister. “I love you so much. Every day I have with Patrick is a blessing because of you,” Bobby whispered with tears in his eyes. “I am so very grateful you gave him to us.”


Brother and sister hugged as they both sniffled, trying to get their tears under control.


“I love you too and that husband of yours. I could do no less. Patrick is such a special boy, the best of all of us. Now let me go before I start really crying.” Rachel kissed Bobby’s cheek then started for the path toward the stream.


George, Rachel’s husband, walked over and watched with Bobby as Rachel walked away.


“Everything all right?” he asked.


“Yes. You know something; I have a very remarkable sister.”


“Yes, you do. And she’s just as remarkable as my wife,” George said with a smile. They patted each other on the back as they walked back into the main fray of the family.


 


*****

 



Rachel approached the clearing near the stream. She stopped to watch and listen as the girls were sunning themselves on the big rock. JR made sure her sister and Ashley were in the shady part while she and Candy sat in the sun. They all glowed in the afternoon light, so they must have been covered well with sun screen. Rachel smiled at the sight. It was good that the older girls were taking care of the younger ones.


“That sun feels great after the water,” Candy said turning her face up to the sun.


“Yeah, that stream is always cold,” JR agreed.


“But it feels so good,” Ashley said with a little giggle of delight. She loved being in the water.


Rachel waited for Bree to add a comment, but the petite girl remained silent. That did not seem like the Bree she knew, Rachel decided.


“Hi, girls,” she said stepping into the open. “May I join you?”


“Sure,” Candy replied. “Pull up a hunk of rock.”


Rachel chuckled as she hoisted herself onto the rock next to Candy. “It’s such a beautiful day,” she stated.


“Sure is,” Candy replied.


“I love it here,” Ashley gushed.


“It is pretty special,” JR agreed.


Bree said nothing. She was staring at the stream not paying any attention to what was being said.


“I’m surprised Patrick isn’t here with you,” Rachel observed hoping to get a reaction from Bree.


“He’s probably with that stupid Chet,” Bree said with venom in her voice.


“Oh Chet, you mean Patrick’s new friend?” Rachel asked.


“Yeah,” Bree replied in a sulky voice.


“Did you girls need a little girl time?” Rachel asked as if changing the subject.


“Yeah, it’s nice to get away from the noise and all that testosterone,” JR observed. “Even if most of them are gay.”


All of them laughed at that comment, except Bree and Ashley who didn’t quite get it.


“I’m surprised you didn’t get Cindy and Michelle to join you. You could be doing pedicures right now,” Rachel commented.


“Yeah, group pedicures and manicures are fun, aren’t they, Bree?” JR said trying to draw her sister into the conversation.


“Chet and Patrick would just tell us that it’s girlie stuff and it’s stupid,” Bree responded.


“I don’t think Patrick would say that,” Rachel commented.


“Chet would,” Bree contended.


“I don’t care if it’s girlie stuff,” Candy piped up. “It’s fun.”


“Yeah, I like it too,” Ashley said.


“You like having just the girls, no boys, and doing girlie stuff?” Rachel questioned.


“Yes,” Bree finally admitted. She loved when all the girls got together, especially when Cindy and Michelle could be part of it too.


“Do you think maybe that’s why Chet likes to do things with Patrick … and not include you?” Rachel asked pointedly, staring into Bree’s eyes.


Bree hesitated for a moment. She didn’t like to think that she was doing the same thing right now that Chet had been doing. He had made her so mad. “It’s good for girls to be together,” she declared.


“But it’s not good for boys to be together?” Rachel queried.


“Not when they say bad things about girls,” Bree defended her position.


“And you girls never say anything bad about the boys when you get together … just you girls?”


“Well maybe, once or twice,” JR chuckled.


“Yeah,” Candy agreed with a grin.


“It does work both ways, doesn’t it, girls?” Rachel asked as she slid off the rock. She had planted the seed. All she could do now was wait for it to grow. “I think I’ve had enough sun for now. You girls be careful you don’t get burnt.” Rachel walked away without saying anything more. She had learned a long time ago that telling children something was wrong didn’t always get the desired result. She hoped her roundabout method had accomplished its purpose.

 

Bree watched her Auntie Rachel walk away and frowned deeply. She knew her aunt was probably right, but she didn’t want to admit it, even to herself. She didn’t want to have to deal with what that admission would imply.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Green Eyed Monster



Chapter 5





Chet was sitting by himself under a tree in the yard. He was watching all the people who were talking and laughing, sitting in groups while he was all by himself. He wondered why his parents had decided that they would come here. They didn’t know anybody except Patrick and his fathers … and that girl.


Chet couldn’t help but think about that ill fated soccer game against Bree. It was humiliating to have the soccer ball taken away from him by a little squirt of a girl. Chet frowned and gritted his teeth. He watched the adults playing softball. He wished he had waited and played that instead of that stupid soccer game. Baseball was his game … and Patrick’s. He wondered where Patrick was.


“All by yourself?” a voice said from beside him.


‘Shit!’ Chet thought. ‘It’s the father of that annoying girl.’ He looked up into the kind eyes of Bree’s blond father. “Yeah,” he replied tersely to the man.


“Mind if I join you?” Justin asked. Chet shrugged, so Justin pulled a chair over and sat down beside the boy. “You don’t look like you’re having much fun.”


“I’m not,” Chet replied quickly and firmly. He wanted to go home, but his mother was talking to some old lady. She looked like she was having a good time, so they wouldn’t be leaving until that was over.


“Well, the Labor Day party is supposed to be fun,” Justin continued.


“It’s not,” Chet said ungraciously.


Justin frowned. He knew Bree didn’t like this kid, but it wasn’t right that Chet was sitting all alone looking very forlorn when the yard was full of people. “Did you get something to eat?”


“Yeah.”


“Would you like some lemonade or some snacks?” Justin asked hoping he’d find something the kid would enjoy.


“No thanks.”


Justin studied the young boy for a minute. The kid was staring intently at the softball game that was being played. Justin remembered that Patrick had met Chet at baseball camp. “Would you like to play?” he asked.


“It’s all adults,” Chet said peevishly.


“I can get you in,” Justin said confidently.


“You can?” Chet brightened up for the first time.


“Sure. Hey, Bobby,” Justin called to his brother-in-law who had gone back into the game. “How about letting Patrick pitch for you? Maybe Chet could take over for somebody too.”


“That’s a good idea,” Bobby agreed taking the lead from Justin. “You play shortstop, don’t you, Chet?” he asked.


Chet was up and out of his chair. “Yeah, I do.”


“Drew, can Chet take your place?” Bobby asked the big man who had been playing that position on his team.


“Great, I could use a break,” Drew agreed. He walked off the field.


“Hey, Patrick, come pitch for me,” Bobby called to his son. “Your old man’s arm is getting tired.”


“Sure, Poppa,” Patrick said with a smile. He was glad to see that he and Chet would get a chance to play against the big guys.


The boys took the field hoping to showcase their skills against men some of whom had played softball much longer than the boys had been alive.


 


*****

 



Rachel walked out from behind the Wendy house as she returned from the stream. She looked over at the baseball game where Patrick was now playing. She smiled and waved at him when he noticed her.


She looked around for Cindy and Brett, but they didn’t seem to be anywhere around.


“How did it go with the girls?” Bobby asked as he approached her.


“Okay, I think. We’ll have to wait and see.”


“I hope Bree will feel better about Chet,” Bobby replied. “I don’t like tension between Bree and Patrick.”


“None of us do,” Rachel replied. “Have you seen Cindy?”


“I saw her and Brett heading for the greenhouse a little while ago. Maybe they’re having that much needed talk.”


“I hope so,” Rachel said with a sigh. “Is there any wine around? I could use a drink.”


“Follow me, sister dearest, and I will fulfill your every request,” Bobby teased.


“Oh stop!” Rachel laughed giving her brother a swat. “But get me that wine.”


They headed for the sun porch.


 


*****

 



Cindy and Brett were sitting on the edge of the pond in the greenhouse. Since it was such a nice day no one was using the greenhouse at this point so they had privacy. They had been making small talk. Cindy was waiting for Brett to come clean with her, but so far he had been acting like nothing was wrong. Cindy had begun to wonder just how stupid he thought she was.


Cindy drew in a deep breath as Brett stopped talking about some play he wanted to see in the near future. He had even asked if she wanted to go with him.


“Do you want me to go to the play with you as a friend or as your girlfriend?” Cindy asked deciding that she had had enough of the meaningless chitchat.


“Huh?” Brett responded.


“You know what I mean,” Cindy said getting exasperated. “You’ve been hitting on Gus and drooling all over the other gay men here. What does that make me --- your beard?”


“Cindy!” Brett yelped shocked by Cindy’s words.


“Stop pretending, Brett. I can tell that you’re either gay or would like to try it out. I don’t need to be involved with someone on the down-low.”


“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Brett protested.


“Of course you do.”


Brett ran his fingers through his hair as he tried to think of what to say. “Cindy, I…”


“Don’t!” Cindy ordered. She held up her hand to stop him from saying anything more. “I don’t want to hear more lies.”


“What do you want me to say?” Brett asked in a worried tone.


“The truth would be nice.”


“I … I … don’t know what the truth is,” Brett stammered. He stood up quickly and ran from the greenhouse.


Cindy’s mouth dropped open and she stared dumbstruck after her so-called boyfriend.


 


*****

 



Patrick had loaded the bases in the softball game. He wasn’t having a good day and he was worried. He didn’t want to blow the lead that his father had been protecting. He checked the bases and where all the runners were. He had to make this pitch count. There was only one out so far. A deep fly ball would tie the game. A base hit would score a couple of runs. If he could just strike out this batter, his team would be in a much better position. They would only need one more out and they could salvage the one run lead that they had.


Patrick got ready for his pitch. It was against Ben who was very strong, but not a particularly good baseball player. Patrick threw his pitch. It was another ball. Now the count was full at 3 balls and two strikes. He did not want to walk home a run.


Patrick shook his head, stared at the ground and tried to compose himself.


“Bear down, Patrick,” Bobby called.


“You can do it, son,” John piped up.


“Go get him, Little Red,” Brian shouted.


Patrick smiled when he heard his Uncle Brian cheer him on. That made him feel better.


“You can get him, my Patrick,” Bree called as the girls emerged from the path to the stream. They had returned just in time for this tense moment in the softball game.


Patrick let his pitch go. It would be a strike, he knew it. However, he didn’t know if Ben would manage to hit it. The crack of the bat answered that question. It was a ground ball far to the right of Chet who was playing shortstop. Chet sprang into action. He raced to his right, flung out his glove and dove for the ball. He felt it hit the center of his mitt. He closed the glove around it, and from his knees tossed it to Owen Jr. who was playing third base.


They got one runner out. Meanwhile, another runner scored and the game was tied.


Patrick frowned and looked crestfallen, while the other team celebrated. He felt bad about letting a run score. He looked over at Chet who was still on his knees. He could tell Chet felt bad too even though he had got an out.


“Great play, Chet,” Patrick said, giving his friend a thumb’s up.


“But they scored,” Chet said dejectedly.


“They would have scored a lot more runs if you hadn’t been able to get to that ball,” Bobby called from the sidelines. “Good job, Chet. That was a good pitch, Patrick. Big Ben just got lucky,” Bobby yelled towards first base where Ben was trying to catch his breath.


“Hey, that was skill not luck,” Ben protested to a round of laughter.


“You saved at least one run, kid,” Carl said. He had been in the outfield. “I hate chasing down balls. You probably saved me from a heart attack.”


Everyone laughed more and made new jokes about Carl’s weight and age. Chet listened to the good humored teasing. They should be mad about the run that scored but it didn’t seem to matter to any of them. They were more interested in their friends and having fun.


“Hey, you motley crew,” Brian called out. “How about ending this game with a tie? I’m ready to sacrifice myself and start up the grills for dinner.”


“Great idea!” people responded.


“We appreciate your sacrifice, Boss,” Ted said. He was glad to get out of the baseball game which was not exactly his element.


Chet was amazed. Nobody seemed to care about the game. He hadn’t heard his mother or father either praise or criticize him. That was what he usually got when a game was over. It was like the world was upside down in this strange place.


“That was a good pitch,” Bree said as she crossed the playing field to where Patrick was standing still upset with himself.


“How do you know?” Patrick asked still in a funk.


“I heard your father say so, and he knows everything about baseball.”


Patrick had to smile at that. “Yeah, he does,” he said with a little grin. He looked over at Chet who was dusting off his jeans from his slide after the ball. He turned to look at his cousin. He nodded toward Chet hoping Bree would understand what he wanted.


Bree made a little face, but then shrugged and walked over to Chet. “I got back from the stream just in time to see you make that play,” Bree said. “Did you hurt yourself?”


“No, I’m okay.”


“That was really amazing the way you dived after the ball. I could never have caught it,” Bree said sincerely.


“You play baseball?”


“Not really, but sometimes I practice with Patrick. He helps me.”


“Oh.”


“You’re a really good player.”


“Thanks,” Chet said and he smiled a sincere smile for the first time that day.


“I have to go change before dinner,” Bree said. “Want to eat at the table with us?” Bree asked.


“Sure,” Chet said surprised at the invitation, “but I should check with my parents.”


“Okay,” Bree said before Chet trotted off to find his parents.


“Thanks, Bree,” Patrick said as he fell in step with her as she headed inside.


“I didn’t do nuthin’.”


“Yes you did, and you were great.”


Bree flashed one of those Taylor smiles at her cousin before they went into the cottage.


 


*****

 



Brian had just finished grilling the last tray of meats when he noticed that the yard had lost a few guests. Not that any had left the lane but that many had wandered toward the other cottages on the lane to visit and catch up with family. Brian turned off the grills and took the tray into the sun porch to place on the long table which held all sorts of picnic fare. As he turned to go back out Brian noticed John running toward the porch with Beau herding in several of the guests.


“Thunder clouds rolling in fast!” John shouted. “We better get everyone in until the storm passes. It should be short but a loud one,” John stated with confidence. With just a look passed between them, the brothers Kinney ran back out to check for stragglers.


“I’ll take the stream,” Brian said as John nodded then ran toward the greenhouse. When the brothers were sure that the family on the lane was safe and secure they ran back to the sun porch.


A loud crack echoed as flashes of light brightened the sky. “Just in time,” John said as he ran through the door with Brian on his heels. “We haven’t had one of these in a long time,” John commented as Danny handed him and Brian towels. They weren’t too wet but wet enough.


“Look at that sky,” Danny murmured as he looked out. “Is everyone indoors?”


“Yes, either here or somewhere else on the lane. We should be getting check in calls now,” Brian said as he took his cell phone out of his pocket. John grabbed one of the house phones. In moments each house on the lane checked in with Brian or John. The few that had taken shelter in the greenhouse called in as well.


“That’s some system you have here,” Seamus commented as he took the towels then handed John and Brian a couple of beers. “Do you send up flares if the power goes out?” Seamus asked in jest.


“We’ve been lucky, we’ve never lost power unless it was a major countywide blackout, but each house has a backup generator just in case,” John explained.


“We’ve chosen not to have streetlights but each house has light in front,” Brian went on. “Not that we need them and we always know who’s here or not so we check up on each other.”


“And are you the only permanent residence on the lane?” Albert asked.


“Us and Rachel and George,” Brian further explained. “We like them even if they are straight,” Brian said with a smirk.


While everyone mingled and passed around food and drinks, Bree had another idea how to pass the time.


“Mr. Riley, will you play the piano with me?” Bree asked with large eyes and her most coy smile. Riley smiled, nodding his consent. After years of avoiding playing the piano, except when tuning it, it was Bree who woke up Riley’s passion for making music again.


Bree took Riley’s hand to lead him into the living room. Reverently they lifted the keyboard cover then adjusted the bench to accommodate the two of them. They began to garner an audience as they started to play their first duet.


“She plays the piano too?” Chet whined to Patrick as they came into the room to join the others. Patrick had taken Chet into his room to play video games. They came out when they heard the music.


“She takes lessons and practices all the time,” Patrick said with a hint of pride in his voice. “She’s very good.”


“I guess so,” Chet conceded. They sat on the floor near the fireplace and listened with the rest of the family.


 


*****

 



“Are we safe in here?” Brett asked Cindy. They had gotten stranded in the greenhouse with a few other guests.


“Yes, Uncle John made sure this building could withstand practically anything,” Cindy replied flatly.


“Oh. Are you still mad at me?”


“What do you think?” Cindy spat back.


“Yeah, I guess you are. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”


Cindy walked away toward one of the raised beds that held orchids. “You could have told me the truth from the beginning. I have lots of gay friends. My Uncle Bobby is gay.”


“Yeah, I sort of knew that but lots of people have gay relatives; it still doesn’t mean much.”


“You’ve heard me talk about my family and how great they are. You should have trusted me. My mom and uncle are very special people. And my dad, well he’s just as special if not more.”


“What do you mean?”


“My mom and Bobby are more than just brother and sister.” Cindy spent the next few minutes explaining Patrick’s origins.


“Wow, that’s…”


“Yeah, it is, so you see, you didn’t need to lie. If you want a friend, that’s fine but not just now. Give me a few days to get over it first.”


“I’m really sorry. Do you want me to leave? I mean after the sky stops falling.” The thunder was still loud.


“No, but I think you should talk to someone.”


“Like a shrink?”


“No, like one of the guys out there.” Cindy pointed toward the lane. “And I don’t mean flirting with them, I mean talk. And stop messing with Gus! He has a boyfriend. “


“Who should I talk to?”


“Let me ask.” Cindy thought about it for a second then took out her cell phone and punched in a number. “Hi. No, we’re okay. We’re in the greenhouse. Is that Bree? She’s good. Oh, yeah, um, if somebody wasn’t too sure about their orientation and they wanted to talk to someone or find a center, who on the lane should they talk to about it? Why didn’t I think of him? Thanks, Justin. See you later. Yeah, after it lets up. Bye.”


“You called Justin?” Brett was embarrassed to have his host and renowned artist know his business.


“Justin’s cool.”


“What did he say?”


“For you to talk to Emmett.”


“Emmett?”


“Emmett Honeycutt, he’s Drew Boyd’s partner.”


“He’s Drew Boyd’s partner? He’s hot, for an old dude.” Cindy rolled her eyes. “What’s so special about Emmett?”


“Lots of things but he’s on the counsel of the Pittsburgh LGBT Center, he can refer you to anyone.”


“Oh. Thanks. Cindy, when I figure out things, can we start over? I really like spending time with you.” Cindy glared at Brett, a glare worthy of Brian Kinney. “Or maybe not,” Brett added sadly. He turned then walked toward the opposite end of the building.


 


*****

 



“Mitchell, why did you bring us here?” Anne asked. She and her husband had been drawn toward the living room with everyone else when Bree and Riley began to play. Anne had to acknowledge to herself that Bree was an exceptional child, almost as exceptional as her own. Anne needed a break so she went to the porch with Mitch in tow.


“We were invited,” Mitch replied dryly. “You’re not having a good time?”


“These people…”


“Are nice,” Mitch said before his wife could say anything he didn’t want to hear. “I like them. They’re down to earth and diverse. Not those same snobs you try to align yourself with. Even Mrs. Kingsley seems to be enjoying herself.”


“Where did she go?” Anne asked, ignoring her husband’s reproach.


“I believe the Brenners took her to their cottage when the storm came. I’m sure we’ll see them again when the rain stops.”


“Sharon Brenner is very nice,” Anne commented as she looked out toward the garden. Even through the gloom of the thunderclouds and rain, the flowers and foliage were beautiful.


“Hello, we haven’t been formally introduced,” an elegant blond woman came up to Anne with an extended hand. “I’m Jennifer Harris, Justin’s mother.” Anne took Jennifer’s hand.


“Anne Larkin. My husband, Mitchell.” Jennifer smiled at the handsome man as he took her hand.


“Can I get you anything?” Jennifer offered; she was used to playing hostess.


“No, thank you,” Mitchell replied. “I’m so full, I’m sure I can’t eat another bite.” He smiled as he patted his stomach.


“Oh, but you must leave room for dessert,” Jennifer stated. “But you have plenty of time to digest. When the storm blows through, take a walk down the lane. I found that always helps.”


“Mrs. Harris,” Anne began. Mitch closed his eyes, waiting for his wife to put her dainty foot in it again.


“Jennifer, please.”


“All right, Jennifer, you have an interesting family,” Anne said carefully.


“That’s one way of putting it. We can be a loud and scary bunch and I don’t think you’ve met Debbie yet.”


“Debbie?”


“Now I know you haven’t met her,” Jennifer laughed. “You’d certainly know who I was talking about if you had. I’m sure you’ll meet her eventually. She’s sort of an earth mother to the boys.”


“Boys?”


“Brian, Ted, Emmett, Michael and my son.”


“Pardon me, but aren’t they a little old to be called boys?” Anne asked.


“Not to Debbie. It’s a very long, complicated story and not for now. Relax, this is a party,” Jennifer suggested. Anne nodded; she did feel a bit tense, not used to “relaxing.”


“Briana is your granddaughter?” Mitchell asked, putting two and two together. Jennifer beamed. Bree and Riley were still playing together and playing Chopsticks. She could hear Bree’s laughter as they played. Her laughter was infectious.


“Yes, my first. Taylor is Molly’s son.” Taylor was with Molly at her cottage with the Brenners and Sarah. “I think she’s very talented,” Jennifer said with a grandmother’s pride.


“Yes, she is,” Mitch agreed. Anne looked a little green but she had to admit, if to herself and not out loud, that Bree did have some talent.


“Anne, you look a little uncomfortable here. I’ll admit, this family could make anyone feel uncomfortable at times. When I was first thrust into this group, I felt lost and uncertain. They certainly weren’t like any of my friends at the country club,” Jennifer admitted.


Anne nodded vigorously. Aside from the Brenners, Mrs. Kingsley and possibly Jennifer, none of the people she had met so far would be a member of her club.


“Just keep in mind that sometimes the best of people and the dearest of friends aren’t found in the best of country clubs,” Jennifer stated as she poured two glasses of one of Brian’s fine white wines. She handed the glass to Anne then gently clinked their glasses together before leaving to go back inside the main house to listen to her granddaughter play.

 

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Green Eyed Monster



Chapter 6





Once the brief rain shower was over the sun came out once again. Bree and Riley were given a round of applause for their impromptu performance. People began drifting back outside as the sun fell lower in the sky. Tables and chairs were wiped off and the grills were started up again.


Debbie was getting a beer in the sun porch when she noticed a tall blonde woman sitting on one of the chaises. “Who the hell are you?” she demanded with a frown. This woman was unknown to her, and stalkers had been known to try to crash these parties.


“Excuuuse me!” Anne said haughtily.


“I asked who the fuck you are.”


“How dare you!” Anne said about to get up and make a real scene. She didn’t have to put up with this kind of foul language and interrogation. She wondered where her husband was. She had come in here to get out of the sun and find a little peace and quiet away from all the strange people who seemed to have congregated in this lane.


“Look, honey, I’m Debbie Novotny-Horvath, so just tell me who you are and nothing bad will happen.” Debbie rarely called herself such a name now that she was married to Carl, but she felt the need to sound impressive with this woman. A hyphenated name had been known to sound quite posh.


“I’m Anne Larkin. My son Chet was at baseball camp with Patrick. His father invited us here.”


“Oh,” Debbie said finally making the connection. “I saw your boy play in the soccer game. Bree taught him a thing or two.”


Anne bristled. “She’s a very good player, but my son is much better at baseball.”


“Yeah, he made a great play in the ball game,” Debbie admitted readily. She was prepared to give credit where credit was due. “Want a beer or a glass of wine?” Debbie asked deciding that this woman apparently had a legitimate reason for being there.


“I could use a glass of wine,” Anne conceded. This Debbie Novotny-Horvath had thrown her for a loop.


Debbie poured a glass of white and walked over to Anne. She handed her the glass and then sat down on the chaise next to her. “So, how are you enjoying our little shindig?” Debbie asked trying to make conversation. She took a drink of her beer while she waited for a reply.


Anne chose her words carefully. She didn’t think she should say what she really thought, especially with this woman who was rather intimidating. “I’m afraid it’s not really my kind of … party,” she said slowly. “My husband wanted to come.”


“And what might your kind of party be?”


“I like cocktail parties and dances.”


Debbie snorted. “Sounds kind of stuffy to me.”


“Well, it’s not,” Anne said downing the remainder of what was in her wine glass.


“Let me get you another,” Debbie said setting down her beer and going to the refreshment table where she grabbed a bottle of white from the ice chest. She refilled Anne’s glass and set the bottle on the table between the chaises.


Anne took another drink and decided maybe she could put up with a little more of this obnoxious woman. The wine was certainly good. “How do you happen to be part of this charming group?” Anne asked. She didn’t care how snide it sounded.


Debbie gave her a look, but decided to answer. “My son and Brian have been best friends since they were teenagers.”


“Brian? That’s the man doing the grilling. He makes a good steak.”


“Brian’s good at everything he does.”


“Is that right?” Anne asked taking another sip of wine. It really was very good. “What does he do besides grill?”


“You don’t know who Brian Kinney is?” Debbie asked in disbelief. “He owns several advertising agencies, helped found the Jason Kemp Center in Pittsburgh, and has his fingers in more pies than anyone knows about,” Debbie declared. “Plus he’s a damn nice guy.”


“I see,” Anne said. She had heard some of this from Sharon Brenner, but she wanted to know more. She was aware of the Jason Kemp Center since she was involved in several charities herself. They were a good network to get to know prominent people. That was often how she got to hobnob with people like the Sarah Kingsley. “I wouldn’t have thought a gay man would be involved in charity.”


Now it was Debbie’s turn to bristle. “Being gay has nothing to do with it. Brian has a social conscience, unlike many straight people.”


Anne picked up the wine bottle and filled her own glass this time. “I see. Sounds like he’s well off.”


Debbie snorted. “Brian and Justin are very well off.”


“Then why do they choose to live in this place?” Anne asked waving her glass around.


“They live here because they like it.”


“But why not a mansion if they’re so wealthy?”


“This suits them better.”


“I don’t get it.”


Debbie sighed. “When you have a lot of money, you don’t need to flaunt it,” she said simply.


Anne frowned. If that was true, maybe she had underestimated these people. “I understand that Justin Taylor is rather a famous artist,” she added.


“He’s very well known and respected,” Debbie replied.


“I still don’t understand living out here in the middle of nowhere.”


“Answer this,” Debbie said. “Why were you sitting here by yourself?”


“I … I wanted some peace and quiet.”


“That’s the same reason Brian and Justin like their lane and this house.”


“Oh.”


“Debbie, sweetheart, I’ve been looking all over for you,” Carl said as he came into the sun porch. He leaned down and pecked Debbie’s cheek.


“You know I’m never far away, Carl,” Debbie laughed.


“I missed you. Come outside and enjoy the day before it decides to rain again.”


“Okay,” Debbie said offering Carl her hand as he helped her up. “Nice talking to you, Anne.”


Anne watched them walk out of the sun porch arm in arm. She could hardly say she had enjoyed her chat with Debbie Novotny-Horvath, but it had been enlightening. She had learned a lot of things that she had been mistaken about. She watched Debbie and her man walk across the grass laughing and smiling at each other. She couldn’t remember the last time she and Mitchell had done anything like that. She felt a small pang of jealousy which she decided to quell with another glass of wine.


 


*****

 



“Curtis, are you excited about going to Carnegie-Mellon?” Gus asked. He was seated at a table with the younger members of the lane. Bree had asked Chet to join them, so he had.


Chet was munching on a hamburger and listening to the discussions going on. He wasn’t quite sure what to make of all the people at the table. He found Richie a little disconcerting. He was so pretty, like a girl. Candy was kind of scary. JR seemed friendly enough, but she worked in a comic book store. That was weird. Gus seemed cool, Patrick was nice as always, and then there was Bree. Chet frowned. He couldn’t believe she was actually being nice to him. Something was definitely wrong.


“I’m really looking forward to it. It was a big decision with JR deciding that she wanted some time off from school. I really thought community college might be the route to go, but I’m getting revved up for university,” Curtis explained. Curtis had struggled with this decision for months.


“Yeah, without me,” JR griped.


“You know I … like you a lot,” Curtis said sincerely. “Nothing’s going to change that.”


“We’ll see,” JR retorted still feeling insecure about her future.


“How come you work in a comic store?” Chet ventured to ask.


“It’s my Dad’s store. I’m gradually taking over from him,” JR said. That was one thing she felt very confident about.


“Oh,” Chet replied. He couldn’t understand why someone would want to work in a comic store if they could go to university instead. His parents expected him to go to college.


“You better not find any girls that you like better than me,” JR admonished Curtis.


“Couldn’t possibly happen,” Curtis said with a big smile.


JR swatted him affectionately and smiled warmly at her beau. “Better not.”


“Curtis,” Bree began, “what kind of animals do you want to look after when you become a vet?”


“Probably dogs and cats like my dads do,” Curtis replied. “That is … if I get that far. I might still decide I want to be a firefighter. It takes a long time to be a vet … or a firefighter.”


“Isn’t being a firefighter dangerous?” Chet asked.


“Yeah, there’s danger, but there’s also the fact that you get to help people.”


“How come you want to be a firefighter?” Chet questioned.


“My grandfather was a fireman and I really loved him. I wouldn’t mind being just like him.”


“You can do anything you want, Curtis,” Bree said decisively.


Curtis smiled at the little girl. “Thanks to you.”


Chet wondered what that meant. These people seemed to think a lot of Bree. He didn’t see why that would be the case. However, he didn’t think he should ask why Curtis said that.


Bree beamed. Then she frowned. “Will you take care of Beau if you become a vet?” Beau gave a little woof from his spot behind Bree and Patrick’s chairs. Bree reached back and patted the big dog’s head.


“Sure I will, but Beau will be really old by the time I could be a vet,” Curtis responded. He didn’t want to tell Bree that Beau would probably be long gone by then.


“Oh,” Bree said with a frown. She didn’t like to think about Beau getting old.


“Is this your last year at university?” Curtis asked Gus.


“Yeah, unless I decide to do some post graduate work,” Gus replied.


“Are you thinking about that?” JR asked.


“I don’t know yet,” Gus answered honestly. “There’s some stuff I’d like to study more.”


“You’re so smart,” Bree told her brother.


“Thanks, short stuff,” Gus said raising his hand for a high five with his sister. Gus and Bree giggled happily as they slapped palms.


Chet wished he had a brother or sister he could do that with.


 


*****

 


“So Curtis finally decided to go to college,” Ben mumbled to himself as he sat on the big rock by the stream. The storm was over but it made their little stream into a mini river.


Ben had been so proud when Hunter decided to further his education even if it was under stressful circumstances, and look at the results. Hunter, in charge of the Jason Kemp Center and along with John, spearheading the halfway houses for those the “Hunterman” had saved.


But JR, her only aspiration was to run a comic book store.


“Shit,” Ben said out loud. “Retail, fucking retail. And comic books no less.”


“Talking to yourself, Professor? First sign of insanity,” Brian drawled as he slowly approached from the path.


“Only if I answer myself,” Ben grumbled. He gazed at the water tumbling over the rocks in the stream creating hundreds of tiny waterfalls.


“I’m surprised to see you here,” Brian said as he made himself comfortable next to his friend.


“Why? I came here often when Michael was recovering from his illness.”


“But this is different. Back then I saw worry, concern and love in your eyes. Do you want to know what I see now?”


“Not really,” Ben huffed. Brian waited. He knew that Ben would eventually talk. Brian had a lot in common with Ben, more than people realized. But the main thing they had between them was respect.


“You have pretty eyes,” Brian said after a while. “They’re usually very blue.”


“What the hell are you talking about, Brian. My eyes are always blue.”


“Not now, now they’re green.”


“That’s impossible.”


“Green with envy,” Brian said as he casually examined his nails.


“You bastard!” Ben shouted as he shoved Brian off the rock and onto the damp ground.


“Ow,” Brian complained as he picked himself up and brushed off the seat of his pants. “That fucking hurt, Professor. You know that’s the second time you’ve shoved me and this time you can’t blame it on roid rage,” Brian growled.


“Brian, I’m…”


“Save it. Just fucking save it! There’s nothing wrong with retail. Some of our best friends started out in retail. JR’s smart and she did a great job when you were taking care of your partner. Your partner, Michael. Remember him? The man you claim to love, who has been in retail for most of his adult life.” Brian turned to walk back to the house.


“Brian, wait,” Ben called after him.


“What!” Brian stopped but didn’t turn to face Ben.


“I know I’m not JR’s real father. But I love her, just as I love Hunter. Hunter came from nothing and look at what he’s accomplished. Curtis came from practically nothing and he’s been accepted into Carnegie Mellon. I just want the same for JR. She’s so smart and so courageous. She just cuts through all the bullshit and gets the job done.”


Brian turned to face his friend. He saw longing in Ben’s eyes.


“I just want the best for her.”


“She already has it. With you and Michael and with Lindsay. Even with that she devil of a mother. She’s just a kid. Some kids know what they want right out of the gate. Others need time to figure it out. Just give her time.”


Ben took a deep breath then nodded. “I’m sorry, Brian,” Ben said meekly as he reached out to touch Brian’s shoulder.


“That’s the last time I turn the proverbial cheek, Professor. Next time I punch your fucking lights out,” Brian spat out then continued on the path.


 


*****

 



“Fucking idiot,” Brian grumbled to himself as he emerged from the path. The sun had begun to set but there was plenty of light for Brian to see. Besides, he really didn’t need it; he knew every inch of Edna’s Treasures by heart.


“Who’s an idiot?”


“Not your concern, Ted.”


“Okay. Brian, can I ask you something?”


“Ask,” Brian snapped then he pinched the bridge of his nose trying to rein in his anger.


“Brian, I realize we haven’t been friends as long as you and Michael and at times you don’t actually like me.”


“What?! Schmidt, what the fuck are you talking about? You are one of my closest friends, not to mention how much I rely on you at Kinnetik. Jeez, you and Cynthia are Kinnetik. So don’t tell me who I like or don’t like. I like you, you fucking moron! I like you,” Brian said as he drew Ted to him. “Now what’s this about?” Brian softly asked as he slowly released Ted.


“Michael said you’re building him a cottage,” Ted stated.


“Yeah and…?” Ted said nothing. “Do you and Allen want one as well?” Brian searched Ted’s face for his answer.


“No, we don’t. I guess I just wanted you to ask.”


“I thought I had. Several times, in fact, over the years. You’ve always turned me down. Something about liking the big city, kettle drums and your own accounting firm,” Brian smirked. “And of course you can’t be at my beck and call for Kinnetik way out here.”


Ted smiled. He patted Brian’s back as they walked toward the cottage.


“You do know I’d build you one in a second if you wanted.”


“I know, Bri. I know.”


 


*****

 



“Sweetheart!” Debbie greeted Brian with a kiss as he came through the sun porch door. “We haven’t had a chance to talk all day.”


“I’ve been a bit busy, Maw,” Brian said as he kissed her cheek.


“Too busy for an old woman?”


“You’re not old,” Brian retorted as he led Debbie into the kitchen. His party fairies were busy preparing to bring out the desserts. He took the fresh pot of coffee and poured them both a cup. “You’ll never be old,” Brian insisted.


“Thank you, honey, but let’s be real. I’m pushing seventy, my lifespan is shrinking as we speak.” Brian stared at Debbie for a minute. He put down his coffee then took the mug out of her hand.


“Don’t leave me,” Brian whispered as he hugged her close.


“I have a few more years left,” Debbie whispered into Brian’s ear as she hugged him back.


“Before I get accused of not asking, do you want a cottage on the lane too?”

 

“No fucking way!” Debbie cackled making Brian giggle and making him feel a hell of a lot better.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Green Eyed Monster



Chapter 7





Brian was cleaning off his grills having finished the last batch of meat for the hungry guests of Edna’s Treasures Lane. Most people were finishing up their dinners hopefully leaving room for dessert. The sun was low in the sky. It had been a good day.


“Hello, Mr. Kinney,” a sultry voice said.


“What…?” Brian said as he turned around. He came face to face with Anna Lutein. At least that was the name that he remembered.


“You’ve worked very hard slaving over that hot grill all day long,” she said, her finger pressing softly against his chest.


Brian stepped back. He took a good look at the woman. She had a glass of white wine in one hand and a bottle of the same in her other. She had obviously been packing it away by the slightly unfocussed look in her eyes. “Mrs. Lubin, may I escort you back inside?” Brian asked gallantly, hoping that if he could get her back to the house he would be able to turn her over to her husband.


“It’s Anne, dear, please call me Anne,” she replied in her sexiest voice, as she ignored the fact that this handsome man had got her name wrong twice.


“Let’s find your husband, Mrs. Larbin,” Brian suggested forcefully, abandoning cleaning the grill while he dealt with this unexpected and unwanted interruption.


“I told you to call me Anne,” she persisted.


“Okay, Anne, allow me to take you to your husband.”


“Oh pooh,” Anne scoffed. “You’re much handsomer than he is.” She took another drink from her glass.


Brian frowned. This was not what he needed right now … or ever. “In case you don’t remember,” Brian said, “I’m married and so are you.”


“Then it’s perfect. We can keep this between the two of us.”


“I don’t know what you think ‘this’ is, but we’re not keeping anything between the two of us.”


“I know you’re more than a cook, Brian,” she said suggestively. “You’re rich and handsome and…”


“Taken.”


Anne laughed as if Brian’s words meant nothing.


“Let’s go inside,” Brian suggested.


“To a more private place?” she asked.


“Mrs. Laken, not only am I taken, but I’m gay.”


“I hear that can be cured by the right woman,” Anne said with her best sexy smile.


Brian pinched the bridge of his nose. This woman was totally impossible.


“Anne!” a commanding voice said off to the side.


Brian turned to see the irate husband descending on him. Brian hoped he wouldn’t have to get into a shouting match, or worse, a fist fight with this idiot woman’s husband.


“What is it, Mitchell?” Anne asked with an irritated tone. “I’m busy.”


“You’ve been drinking and you know what happens when you drink,” Mitch said to her. He tried to take the glass and the bottle away from her. She yanked her hands away holding onto each item tightly.


“You could stop it from happening,” she said in an accusing voice to her husband.


Brian watched the exchange wondering what the fuck was going on. “Perhaps you should take your wife home now,” he suggested.


“I think that would be the best idea right now,” Mitch said wearily. “I’m sorry about this, Brian.”


“I am too,” Brian admitted. “I thought you might want to punch my lights out when you first came over here.”


“She wants me to be jealous. She thinks I don’t pay enough attention to her,” Mitch said, gently prying the glass out of his wife’s hand. All the fight seemed to have gone out of her.


“Do you?” Brian asked.


“Do I what?”


“Do you give her enough attention?”


Mitch frowned and then shook his head. “Maybe not.”


“I’d do something about that if I were you,” Brian counseled. “That is, if you want to stay married to her.”


“Mitch,” Anne whined leaning against her husband.


Brian took the bottle of wine out of her hand. “Why don’t you take her home now?”


“Yeah, my car’s around the side of John’s house. Could you find Chet for me? We should leave,” Mitch agreed.


“I’ll get him,” Brian said setting off towards the sun porch where many of the family had assembled for coffee and dessert. He looked back once to see Anne leaning heavily on her husband. He was helping her towards the side of John’s cottage.


Brian walked into the sun porch.


“What the fuck was going on out there?” Debbie demanded.


“Um … Anne wasn’t feeling well. Mitch is going to take her home.” He handed Debbie the wine bottle. “I need to find Chet,” Brian said keeping his voice low and hoping no one questioned him more about the scene outside.


“I think some of the kids are in Gus’ room playing some video game,” Debbie said speaking quietly too. She got the cue from Brian and went with it. Nobody wanted to spoil the party. She could always find out more later about what she had seen out by the grills.


“Thanks,” Brian said before heading toward Gus’ bedroom.


Gus and Richie were playing some sort of game where their motions were translated onto the TV screen. It looked like a kick boxing match. They looked like they were having a good time. The other kids were cheering them on as they made their moves. Chet was watching with Patrick but he seemed to be laughing and enjoying it along with the others.


Brian moved quietly into the room. He approached Chet from behind. “Chet, your father is ready to leave. He’s out at the car.”


“Oh,” Chet said sounding disappointed. “I guess I have to go, Patrick.”


“That’s okay, Chet. Maybe Gus will let us play this another time,” Patrick replied. “I hope you had fun today.”


“It … wasn’t bad,” Chet said sounding a lot like Brian often did. Brian had to stifle his smirk.


Most of the kids called out their goodbyes as Brian escorted Chet out of the room. Bree and the girls were in her room. She peeked out her door and saw Chet leaving.


“Is my mom … not feeling well?” Chet asked while they were walking down the hall.


“How did you know?”


“She does that sometimes. We leave early a lot,” Chet admitted.


“I see,” Brian said. He could identify. His own mother had been a lot like that, but in a different sort of way.


“Where are you two off to?” John asked coming from the kitchen as Chet and Brian reached the front door.


“Chet’s family is going home,” Brian replied to his brother.


“Oh?” John said in surprise. “I’ll come with you and wish them a good night.”


“Um…”


“I’m coming,” John said.


Brian looked at his brother and could tell he had seen some of what went on by the grills. He decided not to say anything further.


They all walked outside and around to the side of John’s cottage. The sun had just about disappeared below the horizon, but there was enough light to see that Mitch had managed to get his wife into the car. He was sitting behind the wheel waiting for his son.


Chet quickly got into the back seat.


“Mitch, I hope you enjoyed the day. I’m glad you could come,” John said sincerely.


“I enjoyed it, John. I’m sorry it had to end this way.” He looked over at his wife who had her head back against the headrest and her eyes closed.


“I’ll call you and make sure she’s okay,” John said gently.


“She’ll be fine.” Mitch started the car and slowly he pulled it around and out into the lane so that it was facing the right direction to leave. He took extra care not to ruin Brian’s lawn.


While John was saying a last goodbye, Bree quickly ran out of the house to get Brian’s attention. She tugged on her father’s hand.


“What is it Squirt?” Brian asked. Bree crooked her finger and Brian leaned down. Bree whispered something into his ear. “Are you sure?” Brian asked. With a very serious expression on her face, Bree nodded. “Okay.” Brian walked to the car.


“Mitchell, I realize you’d like to take Anne home so she can, um, recover from the long day, but no need to have Chet cut short his party time.”


“What do you mean?” Mitch asked Brian.


“What I mean is, would Chet like to sleep over? The boys were really into playing videos games. And tomorrow, you’re invited for brunch.”


“Brunch?”


“It’s tradition around here, sort of a party after the party.” Brian glanced back at Chet. The boy was puzzled by the invitation but excited to be asked.


“He doesn’t have any clothes, pajamas or a toothbrush,” Mitch said.


“Not to worry, we’re a house with five guys plus with the rest of this crew, we’ll find something for him to wear,” Brian assured Mitch. “And as for a toothbrush, believe me, we have spares.” Mitchell was flabbergasted but he turned around to look at his son.


“Would you like to stay? We’ll pick you up tomorrow afternoon.”


“Really, Dad? Can I?” Chet couldn’t hide his enthusiasm.


“Really,” Mitch replied with a smile. It was good to see his son look so happy. “And maybe it’ll give your mother and me a chance to talk,” Mitch half mumbled. Even in her stupor, Anne managed a small smile.


“Thanks, Dad! See ya tomorrow,” Chet said as he jumped out of the back seat and raced back into the house to rejoin the other boys.


“Thank you, Brian, John. We’ll try to make it for brunch.”


“The more the merrier,” Brian quipped as he and John waved goodbye.


Brian and John stood beside the cottage watching the car disappear down the lane.


“I could use a drink,” John said.


“Me too,” Brian agreed, “and I don’t mean coffee.”


“Sorry this ended so badly, little bro,” John said.


“Not so badly and it’s hardly your fault.”


“I invited them.”


“Chet is Patrick’s friend. You should invite them.”


John pulled his brother into a hug. “Thanks for saying that,” John said. “I saw what Anne was doing.”


Brian groaned. “Was the whole fucking sun porch watching?”


“Pretty much.”


“Let’s get that fucking drink. I need it more than ever.”


“I’ll mix you something strong,” John volunteered.


“Straight out of the bottle will do.”


John chuckled as he threw his arm over Brian’s shoulders. They started to walk back to the house. “Anything you want, brother mine, anything you want.”


Brian smiled. “Oh, and next time don’t fucking let him park on my grass.”


John smiled. All he heard in Brian’s words was that Chet and his family were welcome on the lane.


 


*****

 



“Chet!” The boys in Gus’ room cheered when Chet came back in. He skirted around the current video game players and took a seat near Patrick.


“I thought you had to go,” Patrick said.


“So did I but your Uncle Brian asked me to stay. I’m sleeping over tonight if that’s okay with you.”


“Cool!” Patrick said with a very pleased smile. “We’re up next,” Patrick said with a nudge to Chet’s shoulder. “Who wants snacks?” Patrick asked the guys.


“I do!” everyone shouted.


“Be right back,” Patrick said as he left the room. Before he went into the sun porch where he knew the stash of snacks was kept, Patrick took a detour into Bree’s room where the girls were currently brushing each other’s hair and painting nails.


“Girls only!” he got shouted at as he opened the door. Patrick rolled his eyes and ignored them all. He immediately went to Bree who was sitting in the middle of her bed holding grey bunny on her lap and getting her hair brushed by Cindy. Patrick gently took grey bunny out of Bree’s hands, gave her a hug then put bunny back in her lap. Then without saying a word, he left the room.


“Ooooo!” the girls all squeed and giggled as Patrick shut the door.


Patrick shook his head as he marched back to the porch where his fathers and uncle were sitting, huddled with several other male guests, talking, joking and sipping some of Brian’s best bourbon. He stood with his hands on his hips until they noticed him.


“Yes?” Brian said with an arch of his brow and a smirk on his lips.


“Do you know you’re the best uncle in the whole world?” Patrick declared as he threw himself into Brian’s arms to give him a hug.


“Yeah, I know,” Brian said with a slight choke. “Now, go away,” Brian said as he gave Patrick a little shove.


“Yeah, yeah,” Patrick laughed. He gave his dads both a peck on the cheek just before he raided the long table for goodies for the guys in Gus’ room.


The men all exchanged proud smiles as they watched the young man walk toward Gus’ room.


 


*****

 



“Where’s Brett?” Emmett asked Rachel. They were on kitchen duty along with a lot of other people.


“I think Cindy gave him the boot,” Rachel grumbled.


“About fucking time!” Debbie stated.


“Not much gets past you, does it?” Rachel asked.


“Nope. Besides I’ve had lots of practice,” Debbie said as she gave some of her boys a poignant look, including Emmett. He just smiled as he shrugged his shoulders. “Was she very serious about him?” Debbie asked gently.


“I don’t think so,” Rachel replied.


“For what it’s worth, it’s good she found out now,” Deb said wistfully. “Believe me, I’m not so old that I don’t remember how it felt when the man I thought was going to be the one, turned out not to be. But that’s a story for another day,” she said as she began to dry a large platter with a towel. Riley, who was bringing in a tray of dirty glasses and coffee cups, overheard Debbie. He paused, gave Debbie a strained look, unloaded his tray then left to go back for more.


Debbie quickly changed the subject.


“Will your parents be here for brunch?” Debbie asked Rachel. There had been so many people at the barbecue that Debbie didn’t get the chance to spend time with Emily and Dr. Dan.


“Yes,” Rachel replied.


“Great. Your parents are good people. It’ll be nice to talk with them.” Rachel gave Debbie a warm smile as they returned to the task of setting the cottage back to rights.


 


*****

 



“Why didn’t you ever tell me about Debbie?” Riley hissed into Danny’s ear as they loaded up the tray with more dirty plates and cups.


“Tell you what?” Danny had no idea what Riley was referring to.


“That you and Debbie were really close.”


“I told you what happened,” Danny whispered.


“But you left out the part where she was in love with you.”


“She was? We liked each other, a lot, but I didn’t know it was that much.”


“She slept with you.”


“Oh please, like you have to be in love to have sex. We were horny kids, barely eighteen. It was our first time. Yes, I cared, but I left town and it was over. And Debbie never, ever pushed it. Deep down, she knew what I was.”


Riley said nothing but gave a grunt.


“Baby, are you jealous? You do know it was over fifty years ago, right?” Danny gave Riley a pair of soulful eyes. Riley carefully set down the tray, and took his partner into his arms for a loving kiss.


“Get a room!” chorused through the sun porch. Riley broke the kiss and continued into the kitchen with his tray, passing Justin as he entered the sun porch.


“What’s with Riley?” Bobby asked Danny as he sat down with the guys.


“I don’t know. Must be this place,” Danny said looking around and out the porch glass walls. The moon was beginning to rise. “Something about this lane, it makes a guy ridiculously romantic,” Danny observed triggering a look between Brian and Justin.


Justin walked over to where Brian was lounging in his chaise. Brian scooted over so that Justin could sit. They said nothing, their expressions saying it all.


“Get a room!” reverberated through the sun porch again.

 

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Green Eyed Monster



Chapter 8





Gradually people started to drift back to the houses where they would spend the night, or head home to Pittsburgh, as the elder Brenners did, along with the Sarah Kingsley. The B&B made it possible for everyone who wanted to stay for the brunch the next day to be comfortable without imposing too much on the inhabitants of the lane.


Brian and Justin had agreed to let Bree stay up late, but as it was getting close to eleven o’clock, they decided maybe it was time for the children to be put to bed.


Together they walked down the hall to Gus’ and Bree’s bedrooms. First they stopped at Gus’ door. Patrick and Chet were playing some version of a video game where they drove a car through all kinds of disasters like exploding buildings and careening tractor trailers. Just as Brian and Justin got to the door, a huge tree fell in front of the boys’ cars and they were demolished.


“Too bad, kiddos,” Gus said with a big grin. “I’m still the champ.”


“Along with me,” Richie declared.


“Right,” Gus said, “we make a great team.” He high-fived Richie who beamed at the praise.


“Yeah, but Chet and I won the other game,” Patrick reminded Gus.


“That you did,” Gus agreed. “Beat the pants off the rest of us.


Brian looked at Chet’s face. He was smiling wider than Brian had seen him smile all day. He seemed to be genuinely pleased that he and Patrick had done so well, and that he had been accepted into this group of boys.


“On that cheery note,” Brian interrupted, “it’s time to start to wind down. Bed is calling.”


“I can’t hear it,” Gus said with a cheeky grin.


“You, Sonny Boy, are an adult, although barely, while some of your protégés are young enough to really need eight hours in the sack.” Brian gave his son a look that said he should not argue if he knew what was good for him.


“Right,” Gus replied knowing that it was probably a good thing to agree with his father at this point. “Okay, munchkins, everybody out. I need my Z’s too.”


“Aw, it’s still early,” Chet complained.


Brian and Justin frowned. They hoped they weren’t going to have to lay down the law with their young guest.


Patrick jumped in and saved the situation. “I’m getting tired,” he stated. “Can we play some more tomorrow, Gus?”


“I think that might be arranged,” Gus agreed.


Hunter and Nick had been watching the last set of games. Hunter stood up from the pillow on the floor where he had been sitting and grabbed Nick’s hand. He pulled his partner to his feet. “Come on, Richie,” he said. “Nick and I will walk you down the lane to Emmett and Drew’s.”


“I don’t need an escort,” Richie protested.


“I think Candy and JR are in with Bree, so you might want to wait for them. You can deliver all the young’uns to their respective beds,” Brian advised.


“Happy to,” Nick responded.


Brian crossed the hall to Bree’s room. He tapped lightly on the door.


“No boys,” several voices called out.


“Ladies,” Brian said as he opened the door anyway. The girls were lounging around the room, on the bed, on the floor.


“We’re telling stories, Dada,” Bree informed him.


“Not scary ones, I hope.”


“Some,” Bree replied with a mischievous grin.


“If she has nightmares, I’m coming for all of you,” Brian threatened.


“Yeah, right,” JR crowed. “We’re all quaking in our Gucci boots.”


Brian snorted. “There isn’t a Gucci boot among you.”


The girls burst into gales of laughter.


“Night, Bree,” Candy said as she and JR recovered from their laughing fits and got up to leave.


The girls all exchanged hugs. Brian watched the affection between them all even though there was a big age gap. Ashley got hugs too, having now been included in the group. She was sleeping in Bree’s bed while Susanna had decided to go home since she lived nearby and the B&B was pretty full.


As Cindy and Michelle were leaving, Brian pulled Cindy aside. “How are you?” he asked.


“I’m fine.”


“What happened to Britt?”


Cindy chuckled. “Brett crawled away, like the snake he is, sometime this afternoon. I don’t know exactly when because I don’t really care.”


“Good girl,” Brian said kissing her forehead.


“He still wanted to be friends. Can you believe it?”


“True friends are hard to come by,” Brian counseled. “Maybe you should think about that now that the secrets are out in the open.”


Cindy frowned and thought for a moment. She stood on tiptoes and kissed Brian’s cheek. “Thanks for worrying about me.”


“That seems to be my job lately,” Brian said with a put upon sigh.


“And you do it very well.”


Brian merely shrugged. Then he looked at the girls who were still kissing and hugging and saying goodnight. “Hey, let’s get this show on the road. I want Bree in bed by midnight.”


“Okay, Uncle Brian,” JR said happily as she brushed pass him stopping just long enough to kiss his cheek.


“You lot are such flirts,” he felt compelled to tell them.


“Of course we are,” Candy replied with a grin.


“Your escorts are waiting down the hall,” Brian informed them. “They’ll walk you all home.”


“Ooooh, escorts,” the girls all laughed as they headed down the hall, looking flirtatiously back at Brian who could do nothing more than shake his head at them. Justin watched them from the doorway of Gus’ room where he had been waiting for Brian.


“Okay, Squirt, and Miss Ashley, get ready for bed.”


“Do we hafta?” Bree asked with a major league pout.


“Yes, you do. It’s way past your bedtime.”


“I’m not tired,” Bree declared.


“How about you, Ashley?” Brian asked. “Are you tired?


Ashley was caught in mid yawn. She merely nodded.


“Will you come and read us a story?” Bree asked. “If you will I’ll get ready for bed.”


Brian frowned. He didn’t like bargaining with his daughter. “Aren’t you getting a little old for stories?”


“You could read us The Velveteen Rabbit. You said nobody’s ever too old for that.”


“True,” Brian said. “I’ll be back in ten minutes. Make sure you brush your teeth.”


“Yes, Dada.”


“Yes, Mr. Brian.”


 


*****

 



“You better go read them that story,” Justin said looking at his watch. They had gone back to the sun porch and resumed their positions on the chaise.


“Want to come with me?”


“I’ll leave you to it.”


“Thanks so much,” Brian said sarcastically, getting up from the chaise where he and Justin had been ensconced while they gave the girls time to get ready for bed. John and Bobby had gone to help Chet find everything he needed for the night.


Justin took a sip of his bourbon as he watched Brian walk away. He had been thinking all evening. He had a faraway look in his eye when John and Bobby returned.


“Did you get Chet settled in?” Justin asked when he realized they had returned. They had poured themselves drinks and had sat down on a chaise opposite Justin.


“Yeah, Chet’s about the same size as Patrick, not quite as tall, so he’s got a pair of Patrick’s jammies on.”


“I hope you didn’t call them jammies,” Justin said. “Patrick would be so embarrassed.”


“We chose our words very carefully,” Bobby said with a laugh. “We try not to embarrass our son, unless it seems like a good idea.”


“That’s very good of you,” Justin laughed. “Patrick is growing up.”


“Speaking of growing up, where’s Brian?” John asked.


Justin chuckled. “He’s reading a bedtime story to our not quite totally grown up daughter and her best friend Ashley.”


“Ah, story time,” Bobby said. “I remember it well. Those days are long gone in our side of the house.”


“I’m kind of hoping Chet might turn out to be Patrick’s best friend. Patrick’s never really had someone like Bree has Ashley,” John observed.


“Patrick has lots of friends,” Justin replied.


“Yeah, but no one special. I’d like to see him have a friend that he could rely on.”


“And you think that might be Chet?” Justin asked.


Bobby decided to say what he thought. “I’m not so sure about Chet. He and his family have some issues.”


“Yeah, Anne,” John said with a frown.


At that moment Brian returned from Bree’s bedroom. “It took two pages of Velveteen Rabbit and they were out like a light,” he said proudly.


“Then I vote for bed for us too,” John said getting up from his chaise. “We have a brunch to get ready for in the morning.”


“At least I won’t have to grill,” Brian griped.


“But you will be making your world famous scrambled eggs and bacon,” Bobby informed him.


Brian groaned in mock misery as they all headed for their bedrooms.


 


*****

 



“Okay, what’s going on?” Brian asked when his latest kiss on Justin’s neck elicited little response. He rolled away from his spouse and lay in their bed looking up at the ceiling. This was not what he wanted to see … or feel.


“Nothing,” Justin replied rather curtly.


“If it’s nothing, then why aren’t you interested in sex? You’re never not interested in sex.”


“Sometimes I am.”


“Name one time.”


“Um…” Justin mumbled. He couldn’t think of a time.


“Tell me,” Brian ordered.


Justin hesitated and then decided he might as well say it. He hated this feeling of uneasiness that had gripped him for most of the day. “Do you ever get tempted when they flirt with you?” he asked.


“Huh?”


“You know, Brett, the girls … Anne.”


“Brett didn’t flirt with me, the girls were just playing around, and Anne…” Brian shivered in distaste.


“Don’t be flip. I’m serious,” Justin said.


“I’m flip because this is ridiculous. I’m gay, in case you haven’t noticed, so that pretty much eliminates the female part of this equation. And Brett was hitting on Gus, not me.”


“Gus who looks exactly like you,” Justin said petulantly.


“Justin … I’m old.”


“No you’re not. You’re young and beautiful. You always will be. Me, on the other hand…” Justin let the sentence hang in the air.


“You’re more beautiful than that night I first saw you under the streetlight.”


“I am?” Justin asked with a small smile. He loved it when Brian was kind of romantic. It didn’t happen often. “I’m getting old too.”


“You’ll always be younger than me,” Brian said with a sigh, “as much as I hate to admit it.”


“So, you weren’t tempted?”


“It’s flattering to think women … and men still find me attractive, but you’re the only one I want, Justin,” Brian said, his voice raw with emotion. “Don’t ever doubt that.”


Justin leaned over Brian and kissed him thoroughly. “I want you,” he whispered.


Brian looked into Justin’s eyes understanding what his mate was asking for. “And you shall have me … forever and always.” Brian kissed Justin’s lips and then rolled over onto his stomach. He’d show Justin how much he was treasured and loved. He would make it a night to remember, a night to banish all doubts about who Brian Kinney loved and was in love, in lust, in … everything, with.


 


*****

 



It was early the next morning when Justin awoke. He could hear that the cottage was still asleep, even Emmett hadn’t come in yet. Justin stretched, wiggling his toes under the smooth sheets. He turned his head to gaze at Brian who was also still asleep. It was rare when Justin woke up before Brian; Justin was definitely NOT a morning person. Brian’s internal alarm clock usually had him up before the others. But Brian had worked very hard the day before, grilling and then of course, there were their late night activities. Justin smiled.


The sun was peeking through the curtains. Brian’s hair was bathed in a golden light, highlighting all the shades of brown and auburn that made up Brian’s lush hair. Gently, Justin leaned down to kiss Brian’s shoulder. He gave the shoulder a tender lick, tasting the salty skin. They had both gotten a vigorous workout before finally collapsing from blissful exhaustion. Justin couldn’t help thinking how remarkable Brian’s stamina was. Just like the Energizer Bunny, Brian’s dick kept going and going and going. Justin smiled again to himself, even when Brian was the bottom, he never stopped being the top.


“What’s put that smug look on your face, Sunshine?” Brian barely cracked open an eye. Justin shrugged. He didn’t realize that he was wearing a smug expression on his face. “About to do the ‘I topped Brian Kinney’ dance?”


Brian chuckled as Justin gasped. Justin didn’t think Brian knew about that little guilty pleasure.


“It’s okay, Sunshine. Just remember, you’re the only man who ever gets to do that particular dance,” Brian purred as he rolled on top of Justin. Before Justin could say anything, Brian plundered his mouth with a kiss.


“I love you,” Justin said softly when Brian let him up for air. Justin shivered for a moment, temporarily overwhelmed by the strength of Brian’s love. Brian hugged Justin tighter.


“Okay?” Brian whispered into Justin’s ear. He gently kissed the side of Justin’s neck.


“Yes,” Justin assured his mate. “I’m fine, just love you so much.” Justin didn’t have the words to truly express his feelings but somehow he didn’t think it mattered. Brian always seemed to know what Justin was thinking.


“We should get up soon, our fairy godmother will be barging in any time now. He’ll be cracking the whip and expecting me to crack the eggs to start brunch. Just when did breakfast turn into brunch?”


“When we all started getting older and realized that we don’t have to wake up at the crack of dawn on our day off,” Justin explained. “Especially after one of our parties.”


“About fucking time,” Brian agreed. He nibbled on Justin’s lips before rolling over to lie back on the bed. “Since we’re both awake…” Brian turned his head toward Justin and smirked. Justin gave him a wide smile just before he pounced.


 


*****

 



It was a couple of hours later when Brian and Justin emerged from their room, freshly showered and well, a-hem, rested. Brian laughed to himself as Justin walked to the kitchen with a noticeably jaunty step. Brian pretended not to see the self-satisfied smirk on Justin’s face as he opened the refrigerator and began taking out the breakfast fixings.


“Hi, hi, hi!” Emmett announced as he let himself and his men into the cottage. He was soon followed by Debbie, Carl, Michael and Ben. Everyone grabbed dishes, glasses and everything else they all would need for their feast, bringing it all into the sun porch where brunch would be served.


“Hello!” Seamus called out as he entered through the sun porch doors with Albert. Used to dealing with a variety of people, Seamus and Albert insisted on helping to serve brunch to the rest of the family.


As Brian had bacon and breakfast sausages sizzling on the griddle, the gate buzzer signaled the arrival of more guests.


“Who is it?” Bobby asked since he was closer to the intercom.


“It’s Susanna, oh, and I think the Larkins are behind me,” she replied as she saw a car pull up behind hers.


“Come on in,” Bobby said as he pressed the gate release. “We should have plenty of places to park.” The lane wasn’t as full as it was the day before.


“Just make sure those Fartkins don’t park on my grass,” Brian grumbled as he took out his huge scrambling bowl and several cartons of eggs. Bobby chuckled then quickly went outside just to make sure.


“Mommy!” Ashley called out as Susanna walked into the sun porch. Susanna gave her daughter a hug and a kiss.


“Hi, Mrs. Susanna,” Bree said. Susanna had a hug for Bree as well. The girls were still in their pajamas but it didn’t matter. No one was in a rush to do anything. Susanna was greeted by many of the family that she had seen the previous day, was offered coffee and shown the buffet table.


“Mitch, Anne, please come in,” John greeted the Larkins warmly as they followed Bobby into the porch. “Please help yourself, we’re very informal here,” John further explained.


“Thank you,” Mitch replied as he shook John’s hand. Anne smiled as she also shook hands. She was sober and appeared to be more relaxed. She was wearing a pastel sun dress and flats.


“John, is Molly here? I’d like to return the sandals she graciously loaned me yesterday,” Anne asked as she lifted up the small bag in her hand.


“They’re still across the lane. Taylor woke up with the sniffles so they’re keeping him in for a while. But I’d be happy to bring you over after you’ve eaten,” John suggested. He took the small bag containing the sandals out of Anne’s hand to put it out of the way until later. Anne thanked him then joined her husband.


“Orders up!” came a loud bellow from the kitchen. Debbie cackled as Emmett rolled his eyes.


“Coming your majesty,” Emmett called out as he went through the hall followed by John and Bobby. Within moments they came back into the porch carrying platters of eggs, bacon, breakfast sausages and small steaks. Justin followed with a large pitcher of juice.


“Good morning, all!” Brian announced as he made his grand entrance holding a large carafe of his famous coffee. He topped off mugs as he made the rounds greeting his family and friends.


“Seamus, me lad,” Brian began in his awful brogue eliciting groans from those within earshot. “Would you be leaving us any time soon? I’ve gotten used to seein’ yer face on the lane.”


“Aye, we’re booked for a Tuesday flight,” Seamus confirmed. “We’ve had a glorious time here. I didn’t know how much I needed the rest,” Seamus stated seriously. “Thank you, Brian, and thanks to your whole family,” Seamus said to the family in the porch. Albert nodded in agreement as he took Brian’s hand.


“It was our pleasure,” Brian replied, sans brogue. “You’ve taken care of many of us when we’ve stayed at your B&B; it was our turn to take care of you.” Brian smiled then went back into the kitchen to refill his carafe and to compose himself. It hit him how lucky he was in his choice of friends; he realized just how far he had come in his life.


“You okay?” Justin whispered as he wrapped his arms around Brian’s middle from behind while Brian was refilling the carafe. Justin got a grunt of assent. He kissed Brian’s back then walked back into the porch.


“Mr. Kinney?” a feminine voice called to him.


“It’s Brian, and can I get you anything?” Brian asked Anne, realizing he just may have put his big foot into it.


“Thank you, no. I just wanted to apologize for my behavior yesterday. You’ve been so gracious and so kind.”


“Think nothing of it, we’re all human, so I’ve been told. We’re allowed to make mistakes. Hopefully, we learn from them,” Brian said, more to himself than to Anne but she seemed to understand. She nodded then went out to the porch. Brian stared into the empty space. A small voice brought him out of his reverie.


“Dada, can me and Ashley and Patrick and Chet go to the stream later?” Brian turned, leaned on the counter to study his daughter and contemplate her request.


“And Chet,” more of a statement than a question.


“Yes, Dada,” Bree stated, confidently returning her father’s steely gaze.


“Get permission from the parents and see if Gus will go with you. He’s leaving tonight to go back up to Penn, so I think he’d like to spend the afternoon with you.”


“Thank you, Dada!” Bree said as she threw herself into his arms. Brian kissed her, patted her little bum then sent her on her way.


Brian shook his head; he was beginning to feel like he was in an episode of the X-Files.


“Brian!” Brian sighed to himself as big bad Ben stomped through the doorway. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Ben growled out.


“Getting more coffee,” Brian snarked as he held up the carafe.


“Never mind about the coffee. Why did you offer to build a cabin for Michael?”


“Cabin?” Brian said, somewhat confused.


“Yes, a cabin. He has some idea that you’re going to build him a log cabin.”


“I offered to build you guys a cottage,” Brian mumbled, wondering how a cottage turned into a log cabin. “Do you have a problem with that?” Brian asked Ben. Brian wasn’t sure if Ben was happy or angry about the idea, and he wasn’t in the mood for another altercation with the big man.


“No I don’t,” Ben gushed as he grabbed Brian, nearly lifting him up off the floor while planting a big kiss on his lips just as Michael and Justin came into the kitchen.


-tbc-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1557