Little Cabin On The Lane by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Building another cabin on the lane for one of the Liberty Avenue gang creates a new set of problems.

Story #64 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 46723 Read: 13117 Published: May 07, 2020 Updated: May 07, 2020
Story Notes:

 

Banner by Sabina

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine




Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 1



 


“Do you think those two will ever make up?” Bobby asked John as they watched John’s construction crew mark out the land where the new cabin would eventually sit. Every once in a while John would point or shout out a direction. The crew was made up of John’s “A-team” and select apprentices from Hunter’s kids. Gordon was somewhere amidst the fray of hard hats as well.


“Not a fucking clue,” John replied sounding a lot like his brother.


“Do we know what brought on this big freeze?”


“From what I understand, Justin witnessed a liplock between Brian and Ben,” John explained.


“You’re kidding me.”


“Nope. Apparently Ben and Brian had an argument sometime during the barbecue then Ben found out about Brian’s offer to build the cottage and was a little overly enthusiastic about showing his gratitude,” John further explained.


“Brian would never...”


“I know that and you know that, however, Justin has developed a severe case of the ‘I’m getting older while my partner is becoming more gorgeous everyday’ syndrome,” John said making quote marks in the air.


“Oh puh-leez,” Bobby rolled his eyes. “This is insane!”


“I agree.”


“So what’s Brian doing about it?”


“Nothing for the moment. Some high powered contracts came up for renewal at Kinnetik that require the man himself. Brian’s currently preparing to go to New York and from there he’s flying to L.A, leaving behind one very unhappy Sunshine.”


“Shit.”


“Yup.”


“And do we have the dubious honor of cheering him up?”


“No, I asked Brian about it and he told me to let Justin work it out for himself.”


“That’s very unBrian-like.”


“Turning fifty seems to have had a profound effect on Brian.”


“Apparently. How’s Bree taking all of this?”


“She’s happy to be back in school and she knows her dads will work it out,” John stated.


“That girl scares me sometimes,” Bobby commented.


“You and me both,” John agreed.


“So when is Brian leaving?”


“Tonight after dinner. He’ll spend the night at the loft, go to Kinnetik in the morning then take a shuttle to New York. Simon and Ken are putting him up for a few days while he deals with N’rgy and then he’s off to LA LA land. There has been some talk of him taking a brief detour to London to meet some clients of Kinnetik Isles, but I haven’t heard the final plans yet.”


“Joy. Why is he doing this all at once? Wouldn’t it make sense to spread the trips out a little? Maybe take Justin and Bree with him?”


“I asked him. He said September is a transitional month. The more he does now, the less he has to do over the holidays. By the end of October, all of the holiday ads will be out in full force. Besides, he says he can move faster on his own.”


“Holidays...we’re not even done with summer yet,” Bobby exclaimed as he wiped the sweat off his forehead. The summer heat was still hanging on even though it was September. “Are you really building a log cabin?”


“Yes, we are. Believe it or not, log cabins aren’t that difficult. It’s not like we’re felling our own trees and preparing the logs ourselves. Most cabins nowadays are prefabricated. Michael and Ben want something very simple with one large room, small kitchenette area, a large fireplace that will separate the living area from the bedroom area and bathroom.”


“Is that all,” Bobby snarked.


“It’s not that difficult. I’ve seen some log cabins that make Buckingham Palace pale by comparison.”


“Methinks you exaggerate a tad but I get the point. So what’s the challenge here?”


“Finding the right spot for it. I don’t want it placed too close to the gate or set back too much.”


“Then I’ll leave you to it. I know you’re just aching to pick up your hammer,” Bobby said with a twinkle in his eyes. Seeing John in his tool belt and hard hat did something for Bobby. And John had no doubt he’d be reaping the rewards later. Bobby pecked John’s mouth before heading back to their cottage. Perhaps he could effect a detente of sorts before Brian left on his business trip.


 


*****

 



When Bobby got back to the cottage, he gingerly let himself into the porch and up the spiral staircase to Brian’s attic office. Brian was standing on the small balcony that overlooked the porch. They stood side by side watching their own Picasso attack several large canvases with large brushes and buckets of dark paint.


“I take it he’s still upset?” Bobby ventured. Brian nodded. They watched for a few minutes longer before walking into the office. “Are you really going to let him boil over while you leave town?”


“No. He’s been at this for hours and slowly losing steam. In about an hour he’ll be exhausted. I’ll take him for a ride to the general store and buy him some ice cream.”


“Ice cream? Is this your way of fixing things?” Bobby asked incredulously. “He’s about to blow a gasket down there.” Brian shook his head, no. “What do you mean, no? You can’t deny that he’s angry.”


“I know he’s angry but he’s more angry at himself than me.”


“How do you figure that?”


“He lost a bit of his confidence in Canada, and he’s feeling his age or so he says. He’ll be forty in a couple of years.”


“Oh big whoop, its not like he’s ready for assistive living!”


“Believe it or not, I’m not the only one in this house who’s obsessed with age. I always knew he was very proud of being the youngest of us but time is a great equalizer. He’ll have to adjust and get over himself.”


Bobby stared at Brian. “Okay, who are you and what have you done with the real Brian Kinney?” Bobby asked making Brian chuckle.


“I promise, I won’t leave until I know he won’t start slamming doors and breaking his toys,” Brian said as he held up his hand.


“Or you could take him with you. We don’t mind looking after the princess,” Bobby suggested.


“Your partner already offered. I meant what I said when I told him that I can move faster on my own. I need to focus on Kinnetik right now. This is not like when Bree was a baby. She understands that sometimes business comes first. She was around for some of the long range strategy meetings so this isn’t a surprise to her.”


“Okay, so Bree’s cool, but not Justin.”


“What surprises me is that Justin thinks I harbor feelings for Ben other than friendship. We’ve been through all that.”


“Well, like you said, Justin lost some of his confidence and you and Ben are aging well. Just don’t let him stew in it for too long.”


“I won’t. Besides, it’s just the right time for some ice cream kisses,” Brian said as he waggled his eyebrows. Bobby laughed then followed Brian out of the office.


He watched as Brian went down to the porch. Justin was standing on a tarp holding a brush, staring at the bold angry lines on the largest of the three canvases. Paint was dripping off the brush making a small puddle on the tarp. Brian said something to Justin that Bobby couldn’t make out. Then he took the brush out of Justin’s hand and put it in the can of cleaning solution. Gently Brian turned the younger man around and hugged him close.


“Time for a break, Sunshine,” Brian declared as he led Justin into their room to clean up and then out of the cottage.


“I don’t want a break,” Justin murmured like a stubborn child.


“Yes, you do. I can see your hand shaking. It needs a break. Let’s get you cleaned up and I’ll take you for ice cream.”


“I’m not a baby; you don’t have to bribe me.”


“I never said you were a baby. And this is not a bribe. This is your partner wanting to spend a little time with you before I leave. We can spend the time here or at the general store. I heard they have a fresh supply of vanilla,” Brian said with a smirk.


Justin looked up to gaze into the sincere hazel eyes. “I’ve been acting like a shit, haven’t I?”


“A little, but you’re entitled now and then. Just don’t make a habit of it. So are we getting ice cream or what?” Brian asked as he stood in the middle of their room with his arms open wide. Justin laughed. The first time Brian did that, they were in the loft and Brian was naked.


“Let me wash off the smell of turpentine first,” Justin said while he shed his clothes as he was moving into their bathroom.


“There’s my little Mary Sunshine!” Brian smiled as he pulled his small suitcase out of his closet and began to pack.


 


*****

 



Brian and Justin were sitting at a picnic table just outside of the general store enjoying their ice cream cones. The sun was bright up in the clear blue sky, and they were reviewing Brian’s itinerary.


“My plans are tentative after New York but I’ll call you as soon as know if I’m going East or West,” Brian said. Justin nodded.


“It’s been a long since we’ve been separated by business. We’ve been doing things together for so long,” Justin said with a sigh.


“Do you want to come with me?” Brian asked just to make sure.


“No, I want to paint and help out at the gallery. Lindsay’s doing the Emerging Artists all by herself this year.”


“Sidney’s really retiring, isn’t he? I’ll miss him, the old queen,” Brian snarked.


“That was never confirmed,” Justin chuckled. “And he assures me that he’s still going to represent me for many more years.”


“What will you do when he retires for good?” Brian said as he took a bite out of his cone.


“Lindsay will take over.”


“Are you all right with that? There was a time when you weren’t that happy with her,” Brian warned.


“We’re good. And I’m not that gullible kid anymore. I know what’s good for me.”


“Yes you do, Sunshine. Now is there anything you want to discuss with me?” Brian gave Justin a poignant look and arched his brow.


“I know there’s nothing going on between you and Ben,” Justin sighed as he hung his head. “He came to me after to apologize.” Brian raised his eyebrows in surprise. “Not about the kiss, although he did tell me he got carried away. Why didn’t you tell me that he hit you?”


“He didn’t hit me, he just shoved me and I fell on my ass.” Justin grinned as he looked around Brian toward Brian’s rear.


“Not much padding back there,” Justin laughed.


“Yeah, if it was you, you would have bounced,” Brian snickered.


“Ha ha,” Justin said as he stood up. They were finished with their treats. “Let’s bring some home for dessert tonight,” Justin said as he gave Brian a hug. Justin took a deep breath and cleansed away any bad vibes he was feeling.


“Sounds like a plan,” Brian agreed as he kissed Justin’s temple. They went back into the store to purchase the ice cream then headed back to the lane.


 


*****

 



Justin straddled Brian as they finished one round of lovemaking. He reached over to the nightstand and grabbed the container of ice cream. He scooped a spoonful and let it drip onto Brian’s lips. Then he proceeded to lick and suck the ice cream off, making sure to get every last drop. He felt Brian get hard beneath him.


“Ice cream kisses never get old, do they?” he said to his lover of so many years.


“Not when it’s you giving them,” Brian said unconcerned by how sappy that sounded. It was the truth.


“I miss that chaise,” Justin said thoughtfully.


“This is better.”


“It is?”


“Much more comfortable.”


“You are getting old,” Justin chuckled as he spooned some more ice cream from the container.


“Asshole,” Brian reacted.


Justin merely smiled and allowed some ice cream to drip onto Brian’s nipple. Brian shivered in response. Justin smiled as he set the container back on the nightstand. Then he latched onto Brian’s ice cream covered nipple, sucking and licking until he made Brian groan in need.


“Like that?” Justin asked.


“You have to ask?”


“Something tells me you do.”


“Would it be my hard dick trying to find its way into its favorite orifice?” Brian asked with a smirk.


“Could be,” Justin grinned. “I’m going to miss you so much while you’re away.”


“We can have phone sex every day,” Brian vowed.


“Yeah, but it’s not the same.”


“I won’t be gone long,” Brian promised.


“Make sure you come back as quick as you can.”


“How be I give you something to remember me by?” Brian asked as he rolled them over and laid on top his husband, propped up on his elbows.


“I’d like that,” Justin whispered softly.


Brian smothered Justin’s lips with a kiss so deep, so electrifying that it left them both breathless. But he didn’t stop there. His tongue started its exploration of Justin’s body, moving from face to neck to chest to abdomen finding all the spots he knew drove Justin wild, bypassing Justin’s throbbing cock, sucking on the tender insides of Justin’s thighs. Justin writhed and moaned as Brian worked his magic. No one could make love like Brian Kinney.


Justin smiled in the midst of his rising passion. Brian Kinney was making love to him. Brian Kinney never made love to anyone else. Justin knew that as surely as he knew his own name – Justin Taylor-Kinney. Ben Bruckner was not important, not in this world of two that was forever theirs, forever special, forever mind blowing.


He felt Brian’s lips envelop his cock. His moan was deep and needy. Brian swallowed around him and Justin thought he was going to lose it right there.


“Easy,” Brian whispered taking his mouth away.


All Justin could do was groan at the loss of sensation. Words were beyond him. And then Brian was inside him, pounding into him relentlessly, totally, as only Brian could. Justin felt his cock strain against Brian’s belly as Brian bent over him. Brian’s mouth found his for another deep, deep kiss, and then the pounding began again. Just the way Justin liked it.


Dripping with sweat, Brian felt his orgasm building. He hadn’t touched Justin’s cock. He wanted his husband to come just from the things he was doing to him. Brian drew in a deep breath and continued his assault. Suddenly Brian heard Justin give out this soul wrenching groan, and he could see Justin’s spunk cover his chest. As Justin’s orgasm ripped through him he contracted his anus and Brian shot deep and hard. He fell forward spent, sated, exhausted.


A little while later Brian eased out of Justin and rolled onto his back. “Will that ensure that you remember me while I’m gone?” he asked in a whisper.


“Totally,” Justin said with a blissful smile. “We still have it, don’t we.”


“You bet your ass,” Brian agreed.


“Ah, my ass,” Justin chuckled.


“Always your ass.”


Justin laughed louder. “I need a nap.”


“Not now, we have to get up, because the kids will be home from school soon.”


“Fuck,” Justin reacted.


“Come on, my sweet prince,” Brian said with a smirk, as he grabbed Justin’s hand and pulled him up from the bed. “We need a shower.”


They walked hand in hand to the bathroom. Everything was right in their world once again.


 


*****

 



“Dada, are you really going away?” Bree asked as the whole family finished up dinner at the big table in the sun porch.


“You know I am.”


“But you’re coming back, right?”


“Of course I am. Why would you ask such a thing?” Brian demanded, although he tried not to sound too angry.


“You and Daddy haven’t been your usual kissy selves,” Bree informed her father.


“Kissy selves?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow. He had never been called that before.


“You know how you kiss Daddy all the time – on the face, on the neck, on the lips.”


“Yes, I know.”


“You haven’t been doing that since the Labor Day party. I don’t want you to go away and leave Daddy sad while you’re gone.”


Justin had been listening to Bree’s explanation with some fascination. He didn’t realize how obvious he and Brian had been about their disagreement. He certainly never thought that Bree would notice the distance between his husband and himself. But then, this was Bree. She was one smart little firecracker. Justin opened his mouth to reassure his daughter that everything was all right, but before he could utter a word, a tongue was down his throat.


The kiss went on and on, until finally the increasingly loud throat clearing by the two other adults in the room caught their attention. Brian finally released Justin and they sat back in their chairs with smirks on their faces, and a slightly glazed look in their eyes.


“Does that answer your question, Squirt?” Brian asked.


“I think so, Dada,” Bree replied with a big grin.


“You could have just said that things were good between you two,” John admonished adjusting himself after the sexy display.


“A picture’s worth a thousand words,” Brian informed his brother with his sexy smirk firmly in place.


“So you two are good?” Bobby asked.


“We’re fine,” Justin stated feeling that he needed to be the one to clarify the situation since he had been the one who caused the problem.


“That’s good, Daddy,” Bree said.


Justin smiled at his daughter. “I hope we didn’t worry you, sweetheart.”


Bree frowned. “I don’t like it when you don’t kiss all the time,” she told her parents.


“I, on the other hand, could do very well without it,” John said in his most serious voice.


“And that’s why you’ll be happy to get some tonight,” Bobby whispered loud enough for everybody to hear.


“Eeeewww!” came from everybody at the table except Bree. Patrick had gone beet red.


“What’s going on?” Bree asked looking from one to the other.


“We have ice cream!” Brian announced loudly, standing up quickly to go get it.


“Let me help you,” Justin said doing the same. He and Brian made a hasty retreat to the kitchen to get the container of ice cream that they had purchased for dinner.


Bree stared at the men remaining around the table. They all refused to meet her gaze. She knew she was not going to get any answers. She vowed to herself that one of these days she would find out what was going on.


“And here’s the ice cream!” Justin announced as he and Brian came back into the sun porch with a tray holding bowls of ice cream and a carafe of coffee.


“Yum, vanilla,” Bree said as a bowl was set in front of her.


“Thanks, Uncle Bri,” Patrick said when Brian handed him his bowl. “I like vanilla almost as much as pistachio.”


“Since when did you become a pistachio person?” Brian asked his nephew.


“I had some over at Chet’s, and I really liked it.”


“Is that so?”


“Yep,” Patrick said, “but vanilla’s good too.”


“I’m glad you still like vanilla,” Brian replied ruffling Little Red’s hair.


They all dug into their ice cream. Bree watched her fathers carefully. They kissed twice while they were eating their ice cream. That was good. Things seemed to be back to normal.


 


*****

 



“Do you hafta go, Dada?” Bree asked as she watched Brian bring his suitcase from the bedroom.


“You know I do, Squirt.”


“I’ll miss you.”


“Not as much as I’ll miss you.”


Bree threw herself into her father’s arms and they hugged for quite a while.


Justin had been watching all this with a pleased smile. “Bree, let’s walk Dada out to his car. It’s time for him to leave.”


“Okay,” Bree said letting Brian go. “Do you want to take grey bunny with you for company?” she asked.


“Um, no, I think I’ll be fine.”


“Okay,” Bree said as they all walked out the door. “I can send him if you need him. He’s real good company when you’re alone.”


Brian merely smiled at his wonderful little girl.

 

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 2



 




“Ben, aren’t you supposed to be in a classroom somewhere?” John asked after Ben pulled his car over to park on the lane. John arched his own Kinney brow, slightly annoyed that Ben had parked a little too close to all the heavy equipment.


“I don’t have class until later tonight,” Ben said as he stuck his hand out towards John. John shook it automatically. “I just wanted to see how it was going.” Ben stood next to John surveying the area where the cabin would eventually sit.


“It’s going, slowly, but it’ll be up before Christmas. You might be able to spend the Thanksgiving weekend here if you want to.”


“Really?”


“Probably.”


“Wow.” Ben was quiet for a while, taking it all in. There wasn’t much to see. The land was being leveled and huge rocks were being trucked in.


“What’s with the stones?”


“I’ve decided to make a stone wall. It’ll run from the gate parallel to the turn off from the highway and just beyond Rachel’s house. Not only will it be for safety reasons, but it’ll actually mark our boundary on this side of the land. You won’t be able to see much of it because of the trees. But if Taylor decides to explore beyond his backyard, the wall will stop him from going farther.”


“Makes sense. And who knows if Molly will decide to have more children. What about on the other side?” Ben pointed towards the section of woods toward the stream. John snorted. “What?”


“My brother has been looking into expanding,” John began. Ben’s eyes widened. “Just call him a gentleman landlord. When he’s done negotiating with the Commonwealth, we’ll finish the wall. Considering how much land he wants to buy, we’ll have enough to warrant our own post office.”


“If that ever happens you can officially name the town,” Ben joked.


“No, I refuse to live in Kinneyville,” John huffed making Ben laugh. “Ben, what’s the real reason you’re here?” John gave Ben a look.


“The plans for the cabin, Michael made them very simple.”


“Yes he did. I thought he wanted it that way.”


“He does but I don’t think he thought it through.”


“You mean JR.”


“And Hunter and Nick.”


“Hunter’s been out of the house for a long time,” John said gently.


“I want to strengthen our relationship with him and Nick,” Ben continued. “I see this as an opportunity to do it,” Ben said with a wistful tone.


“You can’t force a closer relationship on him.”


“I know but I can try. But I can’t do that if the cabin is so small that only two people can be comfortable in it at one time.”


“Okay, I see where this is going. I’ve only ordered the perimeter logs and foundation, I can still build upward. Put on a second floor with two additional bedrooms and a second bath. Do you still want to be on the first floor?”


“Yes. Michael still gets easily fatigued.”


“Then I’ll make the bedroom area into a real bedroom.”


“Thank you,” Ben said as he put his hand out again. John took it.


“What is it?” John asked, still holding Ben’s hand. Ben had an odd look in his eyes.


“Patrick.”


“Patrick?” John asked suspiciously.


“Has he said anything about wanting to go to college?”


“He’s only twelve.” Ben made a face. “Okay, okay.” John held up his hands. “He wants to be an architect like his old man,” John said proudly. “So yes, I foresee college in his future. I hope he takes over Anderson Construction someday or creates his own firm. Why?”


“JR, all she wants to do is work in that damn store.”


John nodded; he had heard it all before. “Why do you find this so difficult to accept? I see nothing wrong with her wanting to take over her father’s business.” Ben turned and walked toward his car; John followed. Ben hesitated before he opened the door. His fist hit the roof of the car so hard that it made a slight dent.


“Whoa! Take it easy. What is it about JR taking over the store that has you so torqued?”


“Does no one in this family see how wrong it would be if JR missed out on furthering her education?!” Ben spat out until he was red in the face.


“Who says she’s going to miss out on anything? What’s wrong with her taking some time before going to college? She’ll get some real life experience. Ben, it’ll make her a better student. She’ll understand what’s at stake and she’ll set some real goals. You know as well as I do that so many kids spend the first year in college wasting time, space and their parents’ money.” John placed his hands on Ben’s shoulders in an effort to calm the big man down.


“Let me ask you something,” John said. “Did you go right to college after high school?”


“Yes, I did. My parents wanted me to go and I saw no reason not to,” Ben replied proudly. John waited for more. “It was before I came out, before I really acknowledged my true nature. I buried myself in my work.”


“And you’ve become successful in your chosen field.”


“I’m satisfied with much of how my life has turned out, yes,” Ben admitted. He left the unspoken, unspoken.


“I couldn’t go straight from high school. You know it was me and my mother for most of my life,” John said. Ben nodded. “We didn’t have the money for me to go to college right away. I worked the farm, worked a lot of odd jobs and applied for every grant I could possibly find. It took me a while to save up enough money to at least start part-time. The point of what I’m saying is that I appreciate my education all the more for having worked at it and having those life experiences. Yeah, sometimes I resented some of the rich kids who got into school on their daddy’s dime but most of the time I was just grateful.


“Ben, JR is smart. She seems to have inherited the best from all of you.” Ben rolled his eyes. “And yes, from your influence as well. She’s compassionate and thinks beyond just her. She gets that from you.”


Ben stopped huffing and puffing and saw the sincerity in John’s eyes.


“It’ll be okay,” John said. Ben nodded and gave John a small smile. “Are you going to kiss me too?” John chuckled.


“No,” Ben said as he blushed and gently shoved John back. “That man...”


“I know, he still affects a lot of people that way,” John agreed.


“Yes, he does but he’s a good man, a good friend and to do this,” Ben swept his hand toward where the cabin would be. “How do I repay him?”


“You don’t. Just be happy with your family and that will be enough for him.” Ben nodded. “Now, will you get the hell outta here so I can get back to work? Log cabins don’t build themselves.” John opened Ben’s car door and Ben got in.


“But they do grow on trees,” Ben said making a very bad joke. John groaned as he watched Ben turn on his car then slowly move up the lane so he could turn around. He paused as he began to pass John and rolled down his window. “Make sure we’re invited.”


“To what?” John was puzzled.


“To the official opening of Kinneyville!” Ben laughed when John brandished his hammer at him as Ben drove away.


“I think the Town of Anderson has a better ring to it,” John mumbled with satisfaction as he sprinted back to work.


 


*****

 



“What are you doing home?” Justin asked Bobby. Justin was setting up his canvases to continue his work. Bobby was lounging on a chaise with a book.


“Vacation, remember,” Bobby replied.


“Only you’d take a vacation when everyone else is working or back in school,” Justin commented.


“Yup!” Bobby said with a smug grin. “I get more peace and quiet that way. Besides, I get to watch John parade around in his tool belt,” Bobby said with a familiar waggle to his eyebrows. Justin laughed then went back to his work. Bobby shook himself then went back to his book.


 


*****

 



“Hey,” Justin called as he strolled down the lane.


“Hey,” John responded with a warm smile. His men had just about finished clearing the spot for the cabin. He was leaning on the hood of his truck studying some plans. “I thought you were in painting overdrive today. What are you doing over here?”


Justin grinned. “Break time, and I was curious.”


“You want to see what I’m cooking up for Michael.”


Justin nodded. “Am I interrupting you?” Justin asked. “You looked lost in thought.”


“I guess I was,” John replied. “I had a visit from Ben a little while ago. He got me thinking.”


“Oh, about what?”


“Seems he wants to have a bigger cottage than Michael had indicated. He’d like a couple more bedrooms so that they could have JR and Hunter and Nick stay all at the same time. If the occasion arises.”


“I see,” Justin said with a thoughtful look.


“I told him we could whack on a second story, but the more I got thinking about it, the less I liked the idea. Most of the cottages are single story, so I’d kind of like to keep this one in the same mode. Besides, two story log cabins are pretty rare.”


“So what are you going to do?” Justin asked.


“I think I can make two bedrooms out the back or the side, but I’ll have to order more perimeter logs and expand the foundation.”


“Is that doable?”


“Sure, but it’s going to hold us up for a few days.”


“Oh.”


“What are you thinking about?” John asked with curiosity evident in his look.


“Um…” Justin hesitated. He had a slightly guilty look on his face.


“Spit it out,” John ordered with a grin. He knew Justin had come up with something that he wanted to do. He’d seen that look many times before.


“Well,” Justin began. John waited. “As I was walking down here, I got thinking about what the log cabin would look like.” Justin stopped there unsure whether to continue.


“Yes?” John prodded wanting his brother-in-law to continue. “You don’t see much of a log cabin here … at least not yet.”


“Yeah, that’s the problem.”


“What problem?”


“I, um, was thinking that I might like to do a series of paintings of cabins or cottages.”


“Like Thomas Kinkade?” John asked.


“No,” Justin said making a face. “I know a lot of people love his work, but I don’t paint anything like that.”


“I know,” John said with a smile. “I was just putting you on.”


Justin shook his head. “I’m pretty gullible, aren’t I?”


“Sometimes,” John told him.


“Well, anyway,” Justin continued returning to his previous thought. “Remember what our cottage looked like when Brian first found it.”


John chuckled. “Yeah, that brother of mine sure is a visionary. Who would have thought we’d create all this?”


“I knew you and your brother could do it,” Justin said giving John one of his sunshine smiles.


“That brother of mine sure lucked out the night he met you.”


“So did I,” Justin replied trying not to let himself tear up as he thought of his absent and greatly missed spouse.


“So, why were you so hesitant about telling me your plan to paint cabins?” John asked going back to what he knew Justin had started to tell him before they got sidetracked down memory lane.


“I know how busy you are…”


“So?”


“I was wondering if you knew of any cabins in the area that you could show me. I need some inspiration.”


“You do know that I have a doctorate in cottages,” John laughed.


Justin laughed too. “Yes, I do know that, Dr. Anderson,” he said with a fond look for his brother-in-law. “I just don’t want to take you away from anything important.”


“I think your next art project is very important.”


“But, what about Michael’s cottage?”


“I’m going to work out the design for the new and improved log cabin today. Once that’s done, I’ll get Gordon and the crew to make a bigger foundation area and to gather more rocks while we wait for the new materials to be delivered. I could take you out looking at cabins day after tomorrow. How does that sound?”


Justin stared at his brother-in-law. “You are the best!” he said before he pulled John into a warm hug.


“Of course I am,” John chuckled, although he was greatly touched by Justin’s words.


As Justin released John from his hug, he said, “Thank you so much.”


“Not a problem,” John assured him.


“Show me what you’re planning for Michael’s cottage.” Justin and John leaned over the hood of his truck studying the preliminary sketches John had made.


 


*****

 



“Daddy,” JR said.


“Yes, honeybun.” JR glared at her father. “You know you’re always going to be my honeybun no matter how much you hate me calling you that,” Michael said with a mischievous grin.


JR was glad to see her father joking with her. She was working in the comic store fulltime now that school had started and Curtis was going to university. That still ticked her off a bit, but she knew how much Curtis really wanted to get ahead in the world and make his grandfather proud of what he would become. She had told her father that he could take more time off from the store, but he liked to be there checking inventory and waiting on customers.


“Why is Ben angry with me?” she asked.


“Ben’s not angry with you,” Michael immediately replied. He knew that Ben was upset with their daughter, but he had hoped that JR hadn’t noticed.


“Yes he is,” JR declared. “I see the way he looks at me.”


“And how’s that?” Michael asked.


“Like I’m the biggest disappointment in the world. I know he’s angry that I didn’t go to college like Curtis. He thinks I’m a failure.”


“Oh, sweetheart, I’m sure he doesn’t feel like that,” Michael said pulling his daughter into a hug.


There was only one customer in the store, and he was poring over some X-Men comics, not paying any attention to Michael and his daughter.


“He just really wanted you to go to college,” Michael tried to explain. “He lives in the academic world, so he thinks that’s all there is.”


“I might still go to college, you know,” JR averred. “I was thinking about some economics courses.”


“That would be great if you did. No one from my family has gone to university. I tried community college for a while but it wasn’t for me.”


“See, Dad, I’m not sure college is for me either. I really like working in the store. Why can’t Ben accept that?”


“He wants the best for you, sweetheart.”


“I know that, but I’m the one who knows what’s best for me, and right now it’s working here.”


“He’ll come to terms with that, I’m sure.”


“I’m not so sure,” JR replied. At the moment, she didn’t think Ben thought much of her or her decision not to continue with school.


“Be patient with him, okay?” Michael requested. “I’ll talk to him and try to smooth things over.”


“Thanks, Dad, but it doesn’t seem fair that you should even have to do that. Why can’t he just be proud of me the way I am?” JR’s eyes started to fill up.


“He is so proud of you, JR,” Michael said hugging her again. “He’s very proud of both our children.”


“I wish that was true,” JR gulped.


“Um … excuse me,” the lone customer in the store said clearing his throat as he stood on the other side of the counter. Neither Michael or JR had heard him approach. “I’d like to buy this.” He held out a couple of copies of the X-Men comics.


Michael reluctantly released JR. “You okay?” he asked.


She nodded before heading to the office to wipe her face. A good retailer didn’t cry in public. Michael watched her with concern written all over his face.


“My comics?” the customer repeated.


“Yeah, right,” Michael finally replied. He took the comics and rang them up in the till. “Good choices,” he told the guy, hoping to make him forget the intimate moment he had just witnessed.


The man pulled out his wallet and paid for the comics. “Um…could I say something?” he asked.


“What?” Michael asked snippily. He wasn’t in the mood for advice. He had already tried just about everything he could think of to make things right between his husband and his daughter, and nothing had worked. He didn’t need some outsider telling him what to do.


“Hey, sorry, man. I’ll take my comics and go.” The man threw up his hands in surrender and turned to leave.


“Listen, I’m sorry,” Michael quickly responded. “I didn’t mean to be rude. What did you want to say?” Michael knew he shouldn’t alienate his customers, especially ones like this who spent regularly in his store.


“I don’t want to interfere,” the guy stated again.


“It’s … not a problem. JR’s going through some difficult stuff with my husband. We’re both at a loss as to what to do.”


“Yeah, I kinda overheard that.”


“So, have you got the solution to all my problems?” Michael asked with a wry smile.


“Probably not, but it’s something that occurred to me when I heard what you and your daughter were saying.”


“What’s that?”


“You created Rage, right?” Michael nodded. “So, let Rage and Zephyr solve it.”


“What? What are you saying?”


“I was just thinking that maybe if you were to work on a Rage issue that dealt with the same sort of thing that you were discussing, you could get your daughter and your husband to help you solve the impossible problem.” He made air quotes around impossible problem. “That might help them deal with what’s going on.”


“Hm,” Michael said. “That’s not a bad idea. What sort of problem did you think they could help me solve? I can’t be too obvious about it.”


The man shrugged. “I just make the suggestions, you’re the creative idea man,” he said with a big grin, as he picked up his comics and started towards the door.


“Hey, thanks, I think,” Michael called after him.


“You’re welcome, I think,” the guy said with a grin. “And we may get a new issue of Rage out of it too.”


“Devious,” Michael called as the man opened the door.


“Of course,” he agreed before closing the door behind him.


“Now all I have to do is figure out how to pull this off,” Michael mumbled to himself.


“Pull what off?” JR asked as she came back to join her father behind the counter.


“Um, an idea for a new issue of Rage.”


“What will it be about?”


“Don’t know yet,” Michael said.


“But how can you have an idea for a new issue, if you don’t have the idea yet?” JR asked with a frown.


“That’s the million dollar question,” Michael said.


“What are you talking about?”


“Nothing, honeybun.”


JR plastered on her glare, but then it turned to a smile. “Thanks for listening, Dad. I really want Ben to be proud of me.”


“As I said, he is. Don’t worry about it. It will all work out.”


“You’re such an optimist.”


“I try.”


JR grinned. “So, is Zephyr going to save the day this time?” she asked.


“I certainly hope so.”

 

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 3



 



“Brian, your car’s here,” Brian heard over the intercom.


“Okay, thank you, Cynthia,” Brian replied as he shut down his computer and placed a few files in his briefcase then shut it. As he put on his sport coat and shouldered his overnight bag, Ted walked in with a guest in tow. “Father Tom! Long time no sermon,” Brian teased. “Theodore, my car is waiting,” Brian growled.


“I know but I think this is important,” Ted whispered as he leaned into Brian and pleaded with his eyes. Brian nodded.


“Why don’t you walk me out, Padre,” Brian suggested. “I’ll call you when I get to N’rgy,” Brian told Ted as he left with Tom. “Now, what’s up with you? I thought I already sent you a donation for your church.”


“You did, a very generous one, and thank you. Brian, I really need to talk,” Tom said seriously.


“Isn’t that supposed to be my line?” Brian snarked as he led Tom down the alley toward the waiting limo. “Tom, I don’t mean to be rude but I’m heading for the airport. My shuttle leaves in a couple of hours,” Brian explained.


“I understand but I don’t know who to talk to about this,” Tom said, disappointed that he wouldn’t be able to unburden himself.


“Come on, take a ride with me,” Brian said as the driver opened the passenger door then grabbed Brian’s bag to place it in the trunk. Brian ushered Tom into the car then turned to the driver. “Benny, are you coming back into the city after dropping me off?”


“Yes, sir,” the driver replied.


“Please drop the good friar off at his church.” Brian handed the man an extra tip.


“Very good, Mr. Kinney,” Benny said as he made sure Brian was comfortable before he closed the car door then got into the driver’s seat.


“What’s up?” Brian asked Tom handing him a bottle of water from the small bar.


“Water?” Tom asked incredulously.


“Yes, water. I’m working, and believe it or not, my getting piss blind drunk days are long over,” Brian said as he opened his own bottle.


“Admirable.” Tom took a long drink.


“You’re stalling,” Brian observed.


“You’re right, I am.” Something in Tom’s voice concerned Brian.


“Are you sick?” Brian thought the worst. He reached out to pat Tom’s arm.


“No, physically I’m fine. Thank you for asking.”


“Well, something’s got your knickers in a bunch and you’ve got about forty-five minutes to spill unless you want a free ride to New York.”


Tom took a deep breath. “I’m thinking of leaving the church,” Tom blurted out then hung his head.


“Excuse me?” Brian asked not quite believing what he was hearing.


“You heard me.”


“You love the church.”


“I love God, but lately...”


“What happened?”


“Lots of things. Little things. Lots of little things that have me questioning my devotion, not to God but to the church.”


“And that automatically translates into you leaving? Don’t you guys take sabbaticals?”


“Yes.”


“So then take one. Get away, take off that collar, go get laid. I do recall you don’t subscribe to that celibacy thing,” Brian said in a low tone.


“A moment of weakness, and a very long time ago.” Tom became silent. Brian could sense the war going on in him.


“There are other churches that don’t require a vow of celibacy.”


“I am well aware of them,” Tom said as he watched the traffic go by. They were soon approaching the airport.


“I have a favor to ask you,” Brian said as an idea popped into his head.


“What?”


“I really can’t postpone my trip and I would like to discuss this further with you. Are you due any time off?”


“Yes, I am.”


“Then take it. Spend it on the lane. We missed you over the holiday. We have a very large cottage with several rooms that are currently empty. You’ll have the run of the place. I can’t promise you quiet, because John is building Michael and Ben a log cabin.” Tom’s eyebrows rose into his hairline. “Yeah, I know, I’ve added martyrdom to my repertoire. But I can offer you a peaceful place for you to think things through. I don’t want you to make rash decisions.”


“Are you serious?”


“Very,” Brian said as the driver pulled up to the curb near the terminal. “Tom, I have to go, but after I check in I’m calling Justin, John and Bobby to tell them to expect you. You’ve been a good friend to me and my family. Especially to my mother,” Brian said softly. “Please let me do this for you.”


Benny opened the door; he had Brian’s bag in his hand. Before Brian got out of the car, Tom shook Brian’s hand and nodded.


“We good?” Brian asked before he left.


“Yeah,” Tom said with a shy smile.


“Then I’ll see you when I get back,” Brian said as he shouldered his bag and walked toward the terminal.


“Yeah,” Tom murmured as Benny shut the door, got back in the car and began to drive back to the city.


 


*****

 



“Hey.”


“Hey, where are you?” Justin asked.


“At the airport. We should be boarding soon.”


“I miss you already.”


“Ditto.”


Justin smiled. That ditto meant a lot. He was sure Brian was thinking of him, and this phone call merely reinforced that belief. It felt good to know they were missing each other, and that once again they were on the same wavelength.


“What are you up to?” Brian asked when Justin didn’t reply immediately.


“I’m going out with John to look at cabins,” Justin informed his husband.


“Cabins? Are you moving out on me?” Brian asked with some trepidation that he hoped wouldn’t be evident in his voice. He did his best to make it sound flippant, but he wasn’t quite sure that his voice had had the desired effect.


“You wish,” Justin laughed, seeming not to have picked up on Brian’s tone.


Brian breathed a silent sigh of relief. Everything was okay, he hoped. “No, I don’t wish that you’d move out. You know that, don’t you?” he asked. He hated that he sounded needy, even to himself.


“I was joking,” Justin assured his husband. He didn’t want Brian to worry before he left for his trip. They were going to be apart long enough, and the last thing he wanted was for either of them to worry.


“After the last couple of days, I…”


“Brian, relax. We worked that all out. Everything’s fine.”


“You’re sure,” Brian said. He felt the need for reassurance.


“Brian, have a great trip, and I’ll be here when you get back.”


“Okay, I’ll hold you to that promise,” Brian finally agreed as he relaxed. “So why are you going looking at cabins?”


Justin chuckled. “I walked down the lane and saw John and his men starting Michael’s log cabin. It struck me that some of the older cabins and cottages might have character that would translate onto canvas.”


“Character, huh?”


“Yes, character. I’m … kind of excited about what John will show me.”


“As long as it’s just cabins,” Brian snarked.


“You are so bad,” Justin replied. “Of course it will be just cabins.”


“Never hurts to check.”


Justin chuckled. “Don’t you have a plane to catch?”


“Yes, in a few minutes. Oh, by the way, I sent a visitor out to the lane to spend some time in the B&B.”


“You did? Who?”


“I’ll let him explain when he gets there.”


“Brian?”


“Oops, gotta go. Love ya.”


The line went dead.


“That man!” Justin muttered aloud, but a smile also flickered across his lips. Brian Kinney was nothing if not interesting … always.


 


*****

 



“John,” a voice called as John was observing the expansion of the new foundation of Michael’s log cabin.


“Yes?” John said as he turned around. “Danny! What are you doing here?”


“Checking up on you,” Danny joked.


“Well thanks a bunch,” John said. He wasn’t exactly pleased by Danny’s statement.


“I just wanted to get an idea of what you’re building for my son,” Danny explained.


“There’s not much to see at the moment.”


“You must have plans.”


“Of course I have plans.”


“So can I see them?”


“I suppose that could be arranged,” John said.


“Good. I know that with Michael’s illness and … everything, money might be a little tight for him and Ben. If there are any things that need to be added to the cabin, and they don’t think they can afford them, well, I want to contribute.” Danny blew out a breath. That had been a hard thing to say to John Anderson, but Danny wanted to make sure Michael had the cabin of his dreams.


“Danny,” John said, his voice softening. “It’s all taken care of.”


“Then let me see the plans, so I know for myself,” Danny insisted. He was glad to hear that money was not going to be a problem. He just wanted Michael and Ben to be happy and healthy.


John pulled out the plans and the two of them looked them over.


*****



Some time later in the day another vehicle pulled up to the construction site. John looked over and wondered who might be pestering him to see the plans for Michael’s cottage this time. To his surprise Emmett got out of the SUV.


“Hey,” Emmett called. “How do you like my new wheels?”


“When did you get this?” John asked as he walked over to the car and eyed the SUV from one end to the other.


“Picked it up today,” Emmett replied with his toothy grin. “I got it to do double duty hauling stuff to events and toodling me around town.”


“This isn’t around town,” John observed.


“No, it isn’t. I wanted to show off my new baby,” Emmett said patting the hood of his new vehicle.


“And the first person you thought of to show it to was me?”


Emmett laughed. “Not exactly, but I also wanted to see what you are going to place across the lane from my place.”


“Don’t you trust me?” John asked. He was starting to get a little paranoid about all the people checking up on him.


“Of course I do, but Drewsie and me have gotten used to an unobstructed view, so adding a building here will interfere with that. I wanted to see what you’re putting up.”


“Well, everyone else has been here to see the plans, so I guess you have a right to see them too, maybe even more than the others, since you will be looking out your windows at Michael’s cottage.”


“I heard he asked for a log cabin,” Emmett said as they walked over to John’s truck so he could haul out the plans once again.


“This is the preliminary drawing I started with, but I’m going to have to add a little more to this side and quite a bit more to the back of the house.”


“Ooh, I like it,” Emmett said with a toothy grin. “And it will be only one storey?”


“Yeah, I thought about adding a second storey when Ben wanted the place to be a little bigger, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought a single storey would work better for a log cabin, and for the look of the lane,” John explained.


“I totally agree.”


“Glad to hear it,” John said.


“Do I get the impression you’ve had quite a few people checking on what you’re doing here?” Emmett asked in his usual perceptive way.


“I’ve had a few … visitors,” John admitted.


“Well, I thought you would know exactly what to do,” Emmett informed his friend.


“But you wanted to see for yourself.”


Emmett grinned sheepishly. “Well, I will be looking at it every day that I’m here.”


“Then I’m glad it meets with your approval.”


“It most certainly does,” Emmett said. “Um, could I ask you something?”


“Sure.”


“Do you know why Michael wanted a log cabin?”


“Not really,” John admitted. “It did seem a little strange since Michael isn’t exactly the outdoors type … or the rustic type for that matter.”


“Hm,” Emmett said.


“What?”


“Just thinking.”


“Come on, Emmett, what are you thinking?” John asked. “I showed you the plans so the least you can do is tell me what that ‘hm’ was all about.”


“Well, you probably never heard about Michael’s boyfriend way back in the day,” Emmett began.


“Ben?”


“No, BB … Before Ben,” Emmett laughed. “Michael got himself involved with a chiropractor.”


“A chiropractor?”


“Yeah, they lived together for a while. Michael even moved to Portland to be with the doc.”


“Wow, I never knew.”


“Nobody much talks about Dr. Dave,” Emmett said thoughtfully. “Anyway, as you said, Michael isn’t your outdoorsy, camping type person, but Dr. Dave was. He took Michael away to the country one weekend to show him nature, and let nature take its course.”


“Oh, sounds … romantic,” John said.


“It could have been, but Michael was scared shitless that he’d do something wrong or be shown up for the city kid he was. He so wanted to fit into Dr. Dave’s world. Anyway, Dr. Dave’s cottage was a sort of log cabin that he built himself. I listened to hours of Michael telling me how wonderful it all was. I just have to wonder if that’s where the idea for this cottage came from.”


“You could be right,” John observed. “Whatever happened to Dr. Dave?”


“Michael came back from Portland after a couple of months. Dr. Dave liked to have things his way. He had very definite ideas about what he wanted and what he expected of Michael. I don’t think Michael was ready to be the little wifey who did as he was told.”


“Oh,” John said with a chuckle. “I can see why that might rub a little thin.”


“It sure did, and Brian had a hand in waking Michael up to that fact.”


“Brian screwed it up for them?” John asked surprised that his brother would do such a thing to his best friend.


“Don’t get me wrong, there was no love lost between Brian and Dr. Dave. But Brian actually made sure they got together. That seemed to be what Michael wanted at the time. And Brian always lets people make their own decisions, even if they are disastrous. Michael had to figure it out for himself.”


“And Michael did?”


“Yep, eventually.”


“Well, I’m sure there’s more to this story,” John said.


“Much more, but ask Michael or Brian. I’ve probably said too much already.”


“The more I find out about that brother of mine, the more there is to learn,” John said shaking his head.


“You’ve got that right. Brian Kinney is nothing if not multi-layered,” Emmett replied. “Well, I better get back into my lovely new vehicle and get back to Pittsburgh. I have clients to see and bucks to earn.”


“See ya, Emmett,” John said as he watched Emmett walk over to his car.


 


*****

 



John was just locking up the temporary fence around the construction site when he heard another vehicle come through the main gate. He hoped if he didn’t turn around, the car might just keep on going up the lane to Rachel’s house, or somewhere that didn’t involve him. He didn’t want to have to deal with someone else checking up on him. He was getting a little sick of the people on the lane, and their related friends and family, questioning every move he made. He snapped the lock shut and gave the fence a shake to make sure it was solid.


He felt a hand on his shoulder.


“I’m not showing any more plans today,” John grumbled without turning around. “Come back tomorrow and I’ll consider showing you what’s happening here.”


“I already know,” a familiar voice said.


“Bobby,” John said with relief evident in his voice. He pulled his husband into a warm hug. “I thought you were someone else come to criticize what I’m doing with this cabin.”


“I’d never criticize you, and nobody else better be criticizing you either,” Bobby said with a big smile as John released him. “Who’s been pestering you? Tell me and I’ll beat the shit out of them for you.”


John laughed out loud. “God, it’s good to talk to someone sane and sensible.”


“Hey, you forgot sexy in that sentence.”


“Soooo, so sexy,” John whispered.


“Let’s go home, big guy.”


“That’s the best suggestion I’ve heard all day.”


Bobby chuckled. “My chariot awaits. Climb aboard and I’ll drive us to our bedroom.”


“Shouldn’t we have dinner first?” John asked as he got into Bobby’s car.


“Love is all the food I need,” Bobby declared starting up the car.

 

“I knew there was a good reason I married you,” John laughed as they made their way up the lane.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 4





 


Brian stretched his long frame on the more than adequate bed in the guest room in Ken and Simon’s house. He was still reviewing contracts; his gold rimmed reading glasses were gently perched on his nose. He already knew the contracts word for word but it didn’t hurt to go over them again. You could never be overly prepared for contract negotiations; the years in this dog-eat-dog business had long confirmed that for Brian. Even though Vangard had long ceased being a rival for Kinnetik, it didn’t stop Brian, Cynthia and Ted from working any less hard at being the best in advertising.


When Brian strolled into N’rgy, he immediately rolled up his sleeves and got to work. It was well after nine at night before Brian stumbled up the stairs and into Ken and Simon’s apartment. After a brief greeting they showed the tired adman to his room. There would be plenty of time for catching up later.


Brian sighed as he set the contract down on the bed and removed his glasses. Pinching the bridge of his nose, Brian closed his eyes hoping to ward off his headache. He must have dozed off because the buzzing noise by his side startled him awake.


“Yeah,” Brian answered with a tired rasp.


“Did I wake you?” Justin asked softly.


“Not really,” Brian fibbed.


“Liar.”


“Maybe,” Brian yawned. “I must really be getting old.”


“Or you were at the office by 7:30 this morning then worked up until your car picked you up to take you to the airport. Then you probably read contracts while waiting to board and on the plane, and then kept right on working the minute you walked into N’rgy until you finally called it quits. I’m thinking you just collapsed into bed. Am I right?”


“Wrong!” Brian boasted smugly. “I collapsed an hour ago,” Brian mumbled.


Justin chuckled. “I’m sorry I woke you, we can talk tomorrow.”


“We can talk now or have phone sex," Brian murmured as he gave his dick a tug, it responded appropriately. Brian smirked.


“Some things never change,” Justin said with a smile in his voice.


“Lucky for you. How was your day hunting down cabins?”


“Not as productive as I thought it would be. We saw a few but...”


“Not as romantic as cottages?”


“Yeah, and more elaborate than I thought they would be. I was expecting something rustic, primitive, not something elegant. I guess I’m a little disappointed.”


“So let me cheer you up," Brian purred.


“How?" Justin asked already knowing the answer. Brian whispered all the lovely things Brian wanted to do to Justin’s body if they were in bed together. Justin’s body responded appropriately.


“So are you up for it or not?” Brian asked louder.


“I’m up, I’m up,” Justin assured his mate as he settled back onto the master bed. “Brian?”


“Hmm?” Brian murmured, waiting for Justin to whisper sweet nothings or their equivalent.


“When you get back, I’d like to spend some time with you at Kinnetik.”


“Excuse me?” Brian asked and not the first time today.


“I’d like to learn more about Kinnetik and maybe work on a few campaigns with you.”


“And you’re discussing this with me now?” Brian asked incredulously. His hand was full of cock.


“Brian,” Justin said with a warning tone.


“Okay, okay, so you want to be my intern again?” Brian asked with fond memories of the once young beautiful blond intern he had so many years ago. “You know you’d have to work very long and hard into the night. Are you certain you’re up for the task?”


“Oh, I am very up for it,” Justin said with confidence and with his own purr in his voice. “I’m serious, Brian. I’m not giving up my art, I just want to do something more…”


“Practical,” Brian supplied.


“Yeah.”


“We can discuss your internship later when I get home, Taylor.”


“Are you sure you wouldn’t rather begin the interview now, Mr. Kinney?”


“Hmm, I could review your resume. Do you have experience, Taylor?”


“I have a lot of experience,” Justin purred confidently.


“I’ve been told I’m hard to please.”


“I’m sure you’ll find my work very pleasing,” Justin whispered and then quietly explained to Mr. Kinney just how experienced his new intern was and how dedicated he was to getting the job done. Justin expounded on how clever he was with his hands and how talented he was with various other parts of his body.


Thirty minutes later both Brian and Justin were trying to catch enough breath so they could say goodnight.


“Goodnight, Sunshine,” Brian murmured.


“Night, Brian. I love you, you know.”


“I know.”


 


*****

 



John was standing at the snack truck sipping coffee and going over the cabin plans with his crew when a car slowly made its way up the lane and parked in front of the B&B. A man got out of the car and looked around. When he spotted John, the man waved then began walking toward the truck.


“Father Tom!” John greeted the man fondly.


“It’s Tom, at least while I’m on the lane,” Tom said with a tired sigh.


“Brian mentioned that you’re taking some time off. I’m sorry for all the noise.” John waved a free hand at the large backhoe digging a trench for the foundation stones for the new cabin.


“I’ve lived in the city for most of my life; noise is a part of it. Brian said you were building a cabin for Michael.” Tom gave John a poignant look.


“Yes, well, when my brother gets a bug up his ass…”


“Nothing stops him,” Tom finished off the statement.


John nodded in agreement. John bought a cup of coffee and a bagel for Tom before getting back to work. “Tom, I’m sorry I don’t have time to talk now and I’m afraid there’s nothing in the kitchen.” John pointed toward the big cottage. “But come to dinner tonight. We can talk then.”


“Thank you, I’d be delighted. And don’t worry about me; I brought provisions for a few days. I do suppose there is a grocery store around here, somewhere,” Tom said with a smile.


“You passed the general store before you got to the turn off for the lane. They’ll have what you need.”


“Then I’m good for a while. See you later,” Tom said.


“Later,” John acknowledged as he got back to work.


Tom watched the goings on for a few minutes while he finished off his coffee and bagel then walked back to his car.


“Is that Father Tom?” Gordon asked when John reached the edge of the construction zone.


“Yes.”


“What’s he doing here?”


“I’m not sure. Brian seems to think he’s having a crisis of faith.”


“And Brian would know this how?” Gordon knew some of Brian’s notorious past.


“Brian knows a lot of things one wouldn’t think he knew but he does. Whatever the reason, Brian invited Tom to the lane.”


“Let’s just hope our next building on the lane isn’t a chapel,” Gordon mused then patted his long time friend on the back as they got back to work.


 


*****

 



“Hello?” Bobby called out as he entered the B&B.


“In here!” Tom called out from the smaller first floor suite. “Bobby, I didn’t expect to see you until later tonight. John invited me to dinner.” The men shook hands.


“I’m on vacation, just being lazy for a couple of weeks. I was visiting with my sister when I saw you pull up. Brian said you might be visiting us.”


“I hope it’s okay,” Tom said as he unpacked the last of his belongings to put away.


“Of course it is; you’re more than welcome to spend as much time here as you like. We missed you over Labor Day.”


“I had other commitments.”


“You could have taken one of the larger rooms,” Bobby mentioned as he looked around the quaintly furnished room.


“This is fine. I’m not used to big rooms.”


“Suit yourself. Have you eaten?”


“John treated me to a bagel,” Tom said with a grin.


“Typical. Come on over to my place, I’ll whip you up some eggs or something,” Bobby suggested. Not having any other plans, Tom agreed.


“This is amazing!” Tom exclaimed as they passed the greenhouse. He could see many flowering bushes and trees through the glass walls.


“You’ve seen it before.”


“But not it full bloom. May I?” Tom asked. Bobby nodded and they made a detour inside. “Exquisite,” Tom said as he inhaled the fragrant perfumes of the roses and other tropical flowers. “And he did this all by himself?”


“You mean Brian and the plants? Mostly. He had a vision, and typical Brian, he knew just who to call to get it done. And he worked closely with John on the design of the building. I think John likes it when Brian has an idea and allows John to run with it. They’re so similar and yet so different. But they enjoy working on projects together,” Bobby said with a warm smile. “Come through here.” Bobby led Tom through the maze of potted shrubs and trees until they reached the pond.


“Amazing!”


“I think so too. The Kinney boys strike again.” Bobby stood quietly by as Tom appeared to be lost in thought while he stared at the pond and the water sluicing down the rock-faced wall that fed it. Water ferns clung to the outcroppings like they’d been there for years. And the koi were contently swimming, reflecting back the sunlight that came through the glass ceiling.


“The pond continues outside,” Bobby stated, breaking through Tom’s reverie. Tom nodded then followed Bobby out the middle doors and through the arbor to get to the back of the building.


“Beautiful,” Tom whispered. Bobby swore there were tears in Tom’s eyes.


“Tom, what is it?” Bobby said gently as he approached closer. This man had been a good friend to the family for years and was instrumental in the reconciliation between Brian and Joan. Bobby feared the worst.


“I’m fine; really I am. It’s just lately I question the choices that I’ve made. My path, if you will. I will never stop loving God nor stop preaching his word but…”


“You want something more,” Bobby supplied. Then it struck Bobby. “Not something, someone; someone to share your life with.”


Tom took a deep shuddering breath as all his walls came crumbling down.


 


*****

 



“So, is he coming for dinner?” John asked as he set the table in the sun porch in preparation for dinner.


“I think so. He wasn’t sure he was ready to face people, but I tried to talk him into it,” Bobby replied.


“I’ll set a place for him.”


“Good. I just hope he comes. He needs support,” Bobby said, his voice somber.


“Brian must have told him to come here for a reason, so we’ll let things play out as they are wont to. We’ll be there to help when we’re needed.”


“I knew there was a reason why I love you,” Bobby said standing on his toes to give John a warm kiss.


“To quote my notorious brother, ‘Backatcha!’”


“Uncle Bobby,” Bree said, “here’s the salad. You sure made a lot.”


Patrick was carrying the big bowl. “Yeah, Poppa, you don’t usually fill this big bowl, and Uncle Brian isn’t even here.”


“We’re hoping to have a guest,” Bobby informed the children.


“Who?” they both asked.


“Yeah, who?” Justin added as he came in from his side of the house.


“Hi, Daddy,” Bree said running over to give him a kiss.


“Did you get the supplies you needed?” Bobby asked.


“Yeah, it’s great having that art store in Bridgeton. Then I don’t have to go all the way into Pittsburgh for supplies.”


“There are some people in Pittsburgh that would take that as an insult,” John said with a mischievous smile.


Justin made a face. “So who’s the guest?” he repeated.


“I guess that would be me,” Father Tom said as he came in the sun porch door.


“Father Tom!” Justin exclaimed. “When Brian said he had sent someone to stay at the B&B, you’re the last person I would have thought of.”


Tom’s brow crinkled with a frown. He wasn’t sure if he should spill his news to all of them immediately or not. It had been hard enough to tell Bobby. “I … I needed some peace and quiet, and some time alone.”


“Or not alone,” Bobby whispered to John.


John gave his husband a curious look. “Come on in … Tom,” he said, deliberately leaving off the Father part of the name. “We’re just about ready for dinner.”


“Hi, Father Tom,” Bree said as she ran over to the man to give him a hug.


“You give wonderful hugs,” Tom said as he bent over to reciprocate with the little girl.


“I know,” Bree said with a big smile. “Will you sit beside me for dinner?”


“I’d love to,” Tom replied. They made their way over to the table and Bree made sure that she sat beside Father Tom.


“Are you settled in?” John asked as he doled out the salad from the big bowl.


“Getting there,” Tom said.


“I wonder why Brian didn’t tell me that it was you who was coming,” Justin speculated before he took a big bite of the Caesar salad.


“I went to see Brian just before he left town. I told him some things that I’m not quite ready to share with everybody. I hope that’s all right,” Tom said in measured tones.


Justin frowned. “I didn’t mean to pry into something that’s none of my business.”


“You’re not butting in,” Tom assured him. “I just need some time.”


“Take as much time as you need,” Justin stated. He was curious, but he wasn’t about to press Father Tom. This sounded serious.


“I’ll get the chicken,” Bobby said getting up from the table.


“I’ll help you, Poppa,” Patrick volunteered.


“Father Tom, will you walk with me down to the stream after dinner?” Bree asked while they waited for the main course of their dinner.


“I’d love to, Bree.”


“Good, it’s nice and peaceful down there. I think you’ll like it.”


“I’ve been there before, Bree. I don’t suppose that you remember me baptizing you there?”


“I don’t really remember,” Bree said, “but I know the stream is a special place.”


“It is special, and you were very little.”


“I sort of remember,” Bree said while her forehead creased with the effort to remember more of the details. “Gamma Joan was there.”


“Yes, she made a real effort to be part of your life, Bree, starting that day,” Father Tom said quietly.


Bree’s eyes filled up for a moment as she thought about her beloved Gamma who was no longer with her. She still missed her a lot. Bree fought back the tears and tried to put on a happier face for their guest. She carefully studied the man sitting next to her. He seemed awfully sad, just like she did when she thought about her Gamma Joan. She hoped the stream would make him feel better while he was there. It always made her feel better, even without her Gamma Joan to talk to.


“I miss Gamma Joan a lot,” Bree said aloud. “I wish she was still here.”


“I think we all do,” Father Tom said gently. “She loved you very much.”


Bree nodded. They loved each other so much. It was hard without her Gamma being there to share all the things that happened in Bree’s life.


“Here’s the chicken,” Bobby announced as he carried a roast chicken to the table. Patrick brought a bowl of vegetables that had been roasted in the oven.


“This looks wonderful,” Tom said as they all helped themselves to the food and dug into the delicious meal.


 


*****

 



After dinner Bree took Father Tom’s hand and they walked toward the path to the stream. Beau trailed along with them.


“Beau always makes sure I have an adult with me when I go to the stream,” Bree informed her guest.


“Oh?”


“Yeah, if I try to go by myself, he knocks me down.”


“He does?” Tom asked with a valiant attempt not to laugh.


“I usually get mad at him, until I realize that he’s only trying to protect me.”


“How old are you again?” Tom asked.


“I’m nine, why?”


“You seem much older.”


“A lot of people tell me that,” Bree replied.


“I’m not surprised.”


Bree frowned. “But I don’t get why I seem older. Ashley’s nine and she’s just like me.”


“I think I’ve met Ashley. She’s a lovely little girl.”


“Just like me,” Bree said.


“Not exactly,” Father Tom answered.


“Why not?’


“You have a way of getting to the heart of a matter that many adults aren’t able to do.”


Bree thought about that. “I’m not sure what you mean exactly, but I hope that’s a good thing.”


“It’s a very good thing, just like how you knew I needed to come to the stream,” Tom said as they emerged from the path and saw the stream trickling over the rocks ahead of them.


“I just know that if I feel sad I come here,” Bree stated.


“That’s what I mean. You know instinctively what will help somebody, and furthermore you act to make it happen.”


“Oh.” Bree was silent as Tom took in the peaceful clearing in front of them.


“It is wonderful here.”


“Would you like to be by yourself?” Bree asked somehow knowing that it would be Father Tom’s preference.


“Yes, I think I would.”


“I could leave Beau to keep you company.”


“That would be nice.”


“I hope you figure it all out, Father Tom,” Bree said.


“See, you know that I have some big decisions to think about and make.”


“But I don’t know what they are,” Bree told him.


“That doesn’t matter. I’ll figure them out … eventually.”


“I hope so,” Bree said as she gave him a hug.


He hugged her back once again and whispered, “Thank you.”


Bree knelt down beside Beau and told him to stay with Father Tom. She promised she would go right back to the house. Father Tom walked over to the big rock and sat down on the edge of it. He was soon joined by Beau who sat next to the man and enjoyed the fingers that combed through his thick coat.


Bree watched them for a minute and then turned for home. Her work there was done for now.

 

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 5




 


“Hey, Justin,” John said as he came into the kitchen on the Kinney-Taylor side of Edna’s Treasures.


“Hey.”


“Have you got some time this morning?”


“Yeah, but I just got the kids off to school on the bus. I need to do a couple of things around here. I thought you were busy at Michael’s cottage. I saw you in there when I walked the kids down to the gate.”


“Isn’t the bus coming in anymore?” John asked.


“I think they would still come up the lane, but with the construction site, I told the driver I’d bring the kids down there, so the bus didn’t have to pass the site.”


“Better safe than sorry?”


“I know nothing would happen. You’re always ultra careful and safe, but I thought it would simplify matters.”


“You’re right. Better the bus doesn’t come in, especially right now with the earth movers still working.”


“I thought you had the foundation all worked out.”


“I thought I did too, but I keep getting input that I don’t really want.”


“What do you mean?” Justin asked.


“I’m expanding the foundation again, and it looks like we’ll be having a two storey house,” John said with a sigh.


“I think you need a coffee,” Justin said pouring a mug for each of them. “Come and sit down and tell me all about it.”


“My brother had no idea of the can of worms that he was opening up when he told Michael he’d build him this place.” John flopped into one of the kitchen chairs at the table. Justin sat down across from him.


“This sounds bad, John.”


“Every time I think we’ve got a plan, I get a call or a visit from someone who wants to change things.”


“Like who?”


“Ben, Michael, Debbie, Danny, Emmett.”


“Emmett?”


“Yeah, he would prefer not to have a big place across from his cottage. He was hoping it would be only one floor. That’s what I was planning. Yesterday I got a call from Michael. He really, really wants a balcony and deck where he and the family can sit out and enjoy the breezes.”


“Enjoy the breezes?” Justin asked.


“Yeah, a direct quote.”


“This log cabin sounds like it’s getting out of hand.”


“You think!” John said. “Here’s my interpretation of what it might look like with all the proposed changes and requests.”


John picked up the folder he had been carrying when he came into the kitchen. Justin hadn’t paid much attention to it, but he now realized that must be why John had come to see him. John pulled a sheet of paper from the folder and handed it to Justin.


Justin tried not to spit his coffee all over the paper that John handed him. He almost succeeded, but the picture in front of him made that impossible.



“You’ve got to be kidding,” Justin said.


“Well, maybe I have exaggerated a bit, but this seems to be where we’re heading with the log cabin,” John explained.


“Shit! I know this isn’t what Brian intended.”


“I know that too, but how do I stop them all from interfering?” John asked shrugging his shoulders.


“Hm,” Justin said. He wished Brian was there. Brian never had trouble telling people the truth no matter how much it hurt. “What did you say Emmett wanted for the log cabin since he’s going to have to look at it across the lane?”


“His one request was that it be a single storey in height, and I don’t blame him. Almost all the buildings on the lane are one storey. He doesn’t know anything about all these changes. In fact, he’s going to go ballistic when he hears about all the changes.”


“Emmett won’t go ballistic, but he will have a queen out to rival the very best in the universe,” Justin said with a chuckle. “I don’t want to be around for all the tears and mayhem.”


“Drew will kill me, or Michael, or Ben … someone,” John said lamely.


“Then maybe you should make that the reason that you can’t do two floors. Emmett was here first, and he definitely has a say in what’s going to be built across from him.”


“Do you think Ben and Michael will listen to that?” John asked with a frown.


“They will if you tell them that’s how it’s going to be,” Justin stated.


“I’m not like my brother. I don’t have his way of cutting through the bullshit. I take people’s feelings into consideration,” John said. Suddenly a sad look crossed his face. “I don’t mean that to sound as bad as it does,” he added, once he had thought about how his words sounded.


“Don’t worry. We all know how Brian handles things, and he’s the only one who gets away with it,” Justin agreed.


“Maybe if I lay down the law, in my own style, I can make them see reason,” John suggested hopefully.


“It is Michael that you’re dealing with,” Justin said. “Reason isn’t exactly his forte.”


“Okay, okay,” John said scrubbing his fingers over his eyes. “Then I resort to a guilt trip.”


“Guilt trip?” Justin laughed. “How are you going to use a guilt trip?”


“I’ll tell Michael that Emmett is feeling so bad because Michael’s cottage is so much better than his, that Emmett is actually thinking of moving off the lane.”


“Now that’s something that Michael will understand,” Justin laughed. “He grew up with guilt trips his whole life.”


“I’m counting on that.”


“You are almost as evil as your brother … just in your own fashion.”


“Thanks, I think. He taught me well,” John said with the Kinney smirk that he rarely used.


Justin shook his head. “I wouldn’t want to cross either of you.”


“And I know you never will,” John said with a big grin. “I think you’ve earned a reward for all your help in figuring out what to do.”


“A reward?”


“I found a log cabin that’s abandoned over past Bridgeton. I thought I’d take you there if you have some time this morning. I think it’s what you were looking for.”


“Ooh, abandoned,” Justin joked. “That sounds more like what I was thinking of painting.”


“I thought it might be.”


“Come down to the site when you’re ready to go,” John said as he stood up. “I’ll be ready to go when you arrive.”


“Give me about an hour,” Justin replied. “And good luck dealing with Michael.”


“I can handle him … or I’ll call in the big gun.”


“The big gun will back you up,” Justin laughed, as John headed for the door.


 


*****

 



Some time later Justin was sitting in the passenger seat of John’s SUV. “Did you speak to Michael?” he asked.


“I called him.”


“And…?”


“I told him it was only possible to build a one storey house or Emmett would be very upset.”


“Did you tell him Emmett was thinking of moving?” Justin asked with a grin.


“It didn’t come to that, thank God.”


“So Michael gave in?”


“As long as I build him a barbecue area out the back.”


“He doesn’t even know how to barbecue.”


“I know, but he wants to learn … supposedly.”


Justin sighed. “Well, at least you kept his house to one floor.”


“We’re here,” John said pulling the SUV to a stop alongside the road.


“I don’t see a log cabin,” Justin stated looking around. “I don’t see anything but trees.”


“Through there,” John said pointing to a barely visible path just in front of the SUV. It was overgrown but Justin could see where it led off into the trees.


“How did you find this place?” Justin asked. “Nobody would know it was here.”


“I have my ways,” John laughed.


Justin grabbed his camera and followed John into the path. Once they left the road, Justin could make out an old building of some kind up ahead. They came into a clearing and there in front of them was a small log cabin that obviously had been left abandoned for a long time. It was falling down and overgrown with weeds and moss.


“This is great,” Justin said taking some pictures from a distance. “Just exactly what I was looking for.”


John stood back and watched as Justin gradually made his way closer to the old cabin, taking pictures all the way. When Justin was up close he began snapping pictures of various elements of the old structure. Broken boards and the hole in the door, and a broken window, some overgrown logs covered with moss. He took picture after picture. John merely watched.


After quite a while Justin turned around and gave John one of his sunshine smiles. “This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for bringing me here.”


“What are you planning to do?” John asked as they headed back to the SUV.


“I want to do larger than life studies of several of the elements of the cabin, but I’m going to incorporate what I think the log cabin would have looked like when it was still in use.”


“How are you going to incorporate that?”


“I don’t know for sure yet, but I plan to tuck it in somewhere in the painting so that you’ll have to really study the painting to find it.”


“Sounds interesting,” John said. They got back into the vehicle and headed for home, one very happy Justin Taylor with a big smile on his face.


 


*****

 



Tom was lounging on a chaise in the backyard of the B&B reading the latest mystery novel. Although the days were getting shorter, the September sun was still warm and the quiet of the lane too tempting to stay indoors, construction noises notwithstanding. He closed his eyes, relishing in the peace when slightly off key singing jarred Tom’s repose. Bopping to the music from his headphones, Todd pushed his lawnmower toward the back of the cottage.


“WHOA!” Todd shouted as he jumped a good five feet straight up when he felt the touch to his shoulder. “Don’t do that!” he yelled at Tom, who was turning beet red as Todd held a hand to his heaving chest. “You shocked the shit outta me.”


“I’m so sorry,” Tom apologized.


“What?” Todd asked, throwing his hands in the air, very perplexed. Tom grinned as he pointed toward Todd’s ears. It took a second but then Todd understood and removed his headphones.


“Hi, I’m Tom, how’s it going?”


“Fine,” Todd automatically responded then rolled his eyes. “I mean other than almost having a heart attack, I’m good. Wait, don’t I know you?”


“I’ve come to many a social gathering here, maybe at one of the parties?”


“You’re Father Tom!”


“Normally I am but for the next few weeks, I’m just Tom,” Tom said solemnly.


“Can you do that?”


“Do what?”


“Not be a ‘father’ I mean.”


“Yes. Think of it as a sabbatical.”


“Oh.”


“May I ask, what are you doing here?”


“Mowing the lawn?” Todd said with a lopsided grin. Tom chuckled and shook his head. “Brian called me. He told me he was going on an extended business trip so I’m here to keep an eye on the gardens. All of them.”


“All of them?”


“Emmett’s, Molly’s and at Edna’ Treasures. Brian usually does most of the work himself with help from Briana; the families on the lane all pitch in. But for the big stuff and generalized maintenance, we do it.”


“We?”


“The All Things Happy Garden Center. Brian and I are in business together,” Todd said proudly.


“He owns a garden center?”


“A partner, a very silent partner. He fronted me the money a couple of years ago.”


“Mm, I remember hearing about it. I also recall you having a partner of the more personal nature.”


“Gerry,” Todd said sadly.


“Not going well?” Tom ventured gently.


“Not going at all. He was given an opportunity to teach, in Chicago of all places.” Tom gave Todd a curious look. “I moved back here from Chicago, looking for a quieter life and to do the landscaping that I wanted to do. We left on good terms, no hard feelings.”


“But you did have feelings,” a statement more than a question.


“Yes, I did, to be honest. A lot more feelings than I thought I did.”


“Hurts, doesn’t it.”


“Yes, sometimes. So that’s when I become the hired help rather than the boss. I stick the headphones on, rev up the old mower and edger, and…”


“…work out some of life’s mysteries?”


“That’s putting it a bit more eloquently than what I would have said but you’re right. And today is a beautiful day.” Both Todd and Tom looked up at the clear blue sky and inhaled the clean fresh air.


“Then I’ll leave you to it,” Tom said as he turned back to his lounge chair and book.


“I won’t disturb you?”


Tom shook his head, no. “Perhaps, when you’re done with your labors, we can have lunch.”


Todd smiled. “I’d like that, Father.”


“Tom, just Tom.”


“Tom,” Todd said with a coy smile then got on with his work.


Tom watched the attractive man for a minute then walked back to his chair. He searched the sky looking for a sign, divine intervention, something to show him the way. “What the fuck am I doing?” he asked the sky then shook his head as he opened his book and began to read.


 


*****

 



“Kinney, what the fuck are you up to?” John snarled when Brian answered his cell phone.


“Okay, am I supposed to guess at what you’re referring to because right now I’m trying to arrange my flight plans,” Brian growled back.


John sighed, reining in his anger. “Tom is here staying in the big cottage.”


“Yesterday’s news, I invited him, remember?”


“Todd is here.”


“Good, at least the lawn will be done right….oooh,” Brian bought a clue and put two and two together.


“The light dawns,” John snarked.


“Are there sparks between the good friar and the lawnmower man?”


“Please tell me you didn’t do this on purpose.”


“I swear on blond heads I had nothing to do with this. Tom came to me with his crisis of faith, I guess you’d call it.”


“You of all people he goes to,” John muttered.


Ignoring it, Brian went on. “Look, Tom isn’t all as innocent as he seems.”


“Should I ask?”


“Probably not, you were raised a Catholic.”


“So were you,” John snarked. “Brian, he’s a priest; he took a vow.”


“He’s also a man, a man with a past and he needs to figure this out for himself.”


“How do you know about his past? I got the impression he wasn’t one of your favorite people, way back when.” John paused, suddenly getting on the same clue bus. “Holy shit, you didn’t.”


“I did.”


“You fucked a priest?” John said in a whisper that was two octaves higher.


“Hey, he wasn’t wearing a collar at the time. In fact, as I recall, he wasn’t wearing anything,” Brian said smugly.


“Oh my God!”


“It was dark, in a backroom somewhere. How was I supposed to know the occupation of the ass I’m fucking? Besides, it was over twenty years ago. Fuck I’m old!”


“Stop with the old shit. Brian, this is wrong.”


“No, it isn’t. John, he’s questioning his choices not his faith. Give him the courtesy of allowing him to make up his own mind. He’s not going behind anyone’s back, so to speak. He didn’t run away. He took a legitimate sabbatical so that he can come to a decision. Tom assured me that his bishop knows, and Todd…Todd’s a good man, hard working, kinda goofy, but he deserves good things.”


“He and Gerry didn’t work out?”


“No.”


“Too bad, Gerry was nice.”


“Yes, and he still is but he’s nice in Chicago. Long story,” Brian said before John could ask. “Now, what’s up with Mikey’s cabin? I’ve heard it’s turned into the Taj Mahal.”


“Yeah, I’ve had a lot of helpful tips and suggestions,” John griped.


“Sarcasm? What the hell is going on over there?”


“It’s all gotten away from me,” John sighed.


“Then stop it; stop them! Take back control. John, do you have a vision for the cabin?”


“Yes. I had to alter it slightly because Ben wants room for JR and Hunter, but yes, I have or had a plan.”


“Describe it.”


“A level and a half structure, almost ranch style with a stone foundation and a large fireplace in the middle of the living room. Michael and Ben’s room on the ground level with a full bath. Loft bedrooms just above, not a full second floor. From the outside it would look like one floor because the first level is sunken in. A shared upper bathroom between the two rooms. The wood and the stone will blend in with the surrounding forest.”


“Sounds perfect. You’re the builder, so build. And don’t let our cwazy wittle family get in your way. Put your big foot down; you’re the man with those three letters behind his name! Use them.”


“Yay,” John said with bolstered confidence. “I will. Thanks, Brian.”


“My pleasure. Now I have to pack.”


“Which way you headed?”


“Across the pond.”


“Justin will be disappointed.”


“I know but it can’t be helped. This is my company and I have to be a presence.”


“I understand and so will Justin. Later.”


“Later,” Brian said as he hung up and returned to the task at hand.

 

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 6




 


A knock on the B&B door disturbed Tom from his preparation of lunch. He didn’t often cook but when he did he enjoyed creating flavorful food. He was making a large salad with a chicken breast that he would slice on top. He wiped his hands and went to the door.


“Hey,” said Tom when he saw who was there.


“Hey back,” Todd said. “I just finished the lawns and wondered if it was too early for lunch.”


“I’m currently whipping it up,” Tom replied with a wide smile.


“You cook as well as preach?” Todd asked.


“Um, at the moment I’m cooking, no preaching. I’ve stepped back from the church for a while.”


Todd sensed that this was a very touchy topic, one better left alone. “I’m sorry I keep bringing up things you don’t want to talk about. I appreciate the offer of lunch.”


“Then come on in,” Tom said stepping back so Todd could enter.


Todd walked past the priest and looked around the B&B. “They did a nice job on this place.”


“It’s very pleasant,” Tom agreed.


“Um, I would have liked to shower,” Todd said getting a whiff of himself. “I’m pretty sweaty from mowing lawns.”


“There are several showers in this place,” Tom said with a smile, “but I really don’t mind a manly smell.”


“I’d feel better if I cleaned up,” Todd replied. “I always have a change of clothes in my truck. Do you mind if I have a shower?”


“Not at all,” Tom said. “I need to check on my chicken. Use the room down the hall. That’s where I’m staying.”


“Great,” Todd replied relieved that he wouldn’t smell so bad over lunch. “I’ll just grab my clothes from the truck.


Tom nodded and went out to the barbecue at the back where his chicken breasts were sizzling.


 


*****

 



Tom was slicing up the chicken and placing it over the large plates of salad that he had created. He had raided the herb garden over at Emmett’s earlier in the morning. He hoped Todd liked the dressing he had created with oil, vinegar, a splash of lemon juice and the herbs.


Another knock at the B&B door, as he finished arranging the plates on the small table in the breakfast nook, surprised Tom. He walked to the door.


“Bobby?” he said in surprise when he opened the door.


“Just wondered if you’d like to join us for lunch. I’m going to make some burgers on the grill,” Bobby explained. “I was going to invite Todd to come too, but I can’t seem to find him. Have you seen anything of him?”


Before Tom could reply, Todd walked out from the bedroom. “Thanks for the shower, T…” he started to say before he saw Tom talking to Bobby.


“Todd’s here,” Tom said trying to look like it was nothing out of the ordinary. “I invited him for lunch.”


“And a shower,” Bobby added. “Um, so, don’t let me interrupt you two. Have a great lunch.” Bobby beat a hasty retreat back to Edna’s Treasures.


 


*****

 



“I wonder what Bobby will tell them at Edna’s Treasures,” Todd speculated as they sat down to the salads that Tom had created.


“Why should he tell them anything?”


“It must have looked a little … weird to Bobby that I was coming out of the shower when he arrived.”


“Oh, um, I didn’t even think of that,” Tom stammered. “Shit! I don’t want to upset them and have them turn me out of here.”


“I don’t think they’ll do that,” Todd replied with a smile. “After all, they are gay.”


“Like us … you mean,” Tom said.


“Like us.”


Tom shook his head. “I was really starting to relax here. I haven’t slept well in weeks.”


“I … I’m sorry if my being here has ruined things for you,” Todd said sadly.


“I invited you. You haven’t ruined anything. Let’s eat.”


“If you’re sure…”


“I’m sure,” Tom stated, and he meant it.


 


*****

 



Bobby walked into the sun porch at Edna’s Treasures. He was muttering and shaking his head.


“What’s up with you?” Justin asked. He was staring at a canvas that he was working on, not painting quickly and boldly to his music like he usually did.


“Um, nothing, oh fuck, I don’t know,” Bobby said.


Justin studied him for a minute. “When you mutter like that, something’s bothering you, so you might as well tell me.”


Bobby shook his head again and ran his fingers through his hair. “I was just over at the B&B. I thought I’d ask Fa…Tom to join us for lunch. I was looking for Todd too. I found them together. Todd just got out of the shower.”


“Out of the shower?” Justin asked, as his eyebrows went up several inches. “What do you mean … exactly?”


“I don’t fucking know,” Bobby replied. “What I’m thinking I don’t even want to say. It’s too soon for Tom to be…you know.”


“Maybe they weren’t,” Justin suggested. “Maybe you jumped to conclusions.”


“I certainly hope that’s the case. It seemed really strange.”


“Were they awkward about it?” Justin asked.


“I, um, I wouldn’t say so,” Bobby said with a frown. “They were as surprised as I was.”


“Then maybe we are jumping to conclusions. Maybe Todd was stinky from mowing the lawns, so he took a shower before eating lunch. It could be as simple as that.”


“Yeah, you’re probably right. Let’s just say that I hope you’re right.” Bobby looked over Justin’s shoulder at the painting he had been working on. “Is that the old log cabin you saw this morning with John?”


“Yeah, I’ve kind of got it roughed in. I need to decide where I want to put the scene from the past when the house would have been lived in.”


“Wow, that’s a great idea. Past and present in the same picture.”


“That’s the idea,” Justin said with a big smile. He was very glad that Bobby got his idea and seemed to like it.


“So where are you thinking of placing this little vignette?”


“Vignette, I like that. Maybe I can work that into the title of the painting.” That earned a genuine smile in return from Bobby. “Well, I’m thinking of maybe painting in a pane of glass in one of the windows and placing the scene on that. Or, I could put a rock out near the front of the cabin and paint it on there.”


“Hm,” Bobby said studying the picture. “The vignette would be awfully small if it was in the pane of glass.”


“Yeah, but I want the viewer to have to look for it. I don’t want it to be too obvious.”


“Then I would say the pane of glass would work very well for that.”


Justin pulled Bobby into a warm hug. “That’s exactly what I was thinking.”


“What is it they say about great minds…?”


“That they get very hungry?” Justin joked.


“Is that a hint that I should start the burgers?”


“See, great minds.” Justin and Bobby both laughed.


 


*****

 



“How did you end up being a priest?” Todd asked as he was eating his salad. It wasn’t easy to make small talk with the former father when the man didn’t seem to want to talk about his life in the priesthood.


“I always felt that God called me to it,” Tom said with a sad look on his face.


“So what’s changed?”


“I … can we talk about something else?”


“Sorry,” Todd apologized again. “How did you learn to cook?”


Tom laughed. “Good segue.”


“Thanks, so where did you learn to cook.”


“I’ve lived alone most of my life. Learn to cook or you don’t survive. I did fast food for a while, but that takes its toll before long. I bought a cookbook one day and haven’t looked back since.”


“Well, this salad is delicious,” Todd said as he cleaned his plate.


“I don’t have any more chicken, but I do have some salad left. Would you like it?”


“I could eat a little more, if you don’t want it for dinner or something,” Todd said a little sheepishly. “I get hungry when I do physical stuff like mowing.”


“I’m glad you’re enjoying the salad,” Tom replied as he got up from the table and brought the rest of the salad in the bowl.


Todd dumped it onto his plate and dug in. “Thanks so much for inviting me. I’d love to take you out for a meal sometime. I don’t cook by the way.”


Tom chuckled. “I’d like that.”


“Good, then we’ll do it soon.”


Todd continued to inhale the salad much to the delight of Tom.


 


*****

 



It was later in the evening when John locked up the construction gate. He waved as Todd drove past in the garden center truck hitched to a trailer, towing a small tractor-mower that was secured on it. John could smell the freshly cut grass. Todd had taken most of the day to inspect the gardens, remove the old summer annuals, replace them with the fall plants and cut and mow anything that needed cutting or mowing. John was sure Todd had detailed instructions from one Brian Kinney but even if he didn’t, Todd had good instincts and was one heck of a landscaper. If Brian didn’t have confidence in the man, he never would have gone into partnership with him.


While there was a little sunlight left, John walked toward Emmett and Drew’s cottage. The boys wouldn’t be in residence until Thanksgiving, so John and the guys kept an eye on it as they did with Molly’s little cottage and the B&B if it wasn’t in use. John noted that the lawn was manicured, edges crisp and the path swept clean. He let himself in the front door with the spare key then did a walk through. He locked up then went out back to inspect the grounds and the small greenhouse. It too had been cleaned and any leftover herbs had been cut and hung to dry. The residents of the lane were always welcome to help themselves to the herbs grown here or in the larger greenhouse. Satisfied with what he saw, John shut the door then strolled up the lane toward the B&B.


“Knock, knock!” John called out as he entered the front door of the large cottage.


“Over here,” John heard from the vicinity of the fireplace. John looked around and saw Tom on his knees tinkering with the flue.


“No disrespect, Padre, but do you know what you’re doing?” John asked in a very Brian Kinney way; Tom did a double take.


“You sound so much like Brian,” Tom exclaimed with a little gasp.


“I get that a lot. You haven’t answered my question; do you know what you’re doing?” John said with an arch of his brow. Tom fell back on his butt as he burst into laughter. He had been on the receiving end of that brow many a time.


“No I don’t,” Tom finally answered when he drew in enough breath. “I was trying to build a small fire but it dawned on me that I’ve never done that before.” John extended his hand to help Tom up off the floor.


“Consider this Fireplace 101,” John began as he instructed Tom on the basics of starting and regulating a fire.


“Thank you,” Tom said after the lesson was over. “The days are still warm but the nights are getting a little chilly. I thought a fire would warm up the house.”


“We do have central heating out here,” John stated the obvious.


“I know but I thought…” Tom was at a loss. He wasn’t sure what he thought.


“Tom,” John said gently. “No explanations are necessary. You’re here for a rest, to commune with nature and hopefully make some decisions. You don’t have to explain yourself. It’s no one’s business.”


“You should have been a priest,” Tom said with a sigh as he searched the wise hazel eyes that reminded Tom of another tall handsome brunet with the same eyes.


“Thank you but I heard a different calling,” John said trying not to be flippant.


“You were raised a Christian.”


“Yes. My mother was raised a Catholic but…”


“Yes, some parishes are less tolerant than others.”


“My mother found a church in Bridgeton where she could worship and bring her illegitimate child. She also had my grandparents to support her.” John rearranged the small logs in the grate on top of the kindling then struck a match.


“Brian never knew them, did he?” Tom asked as he watched the flames slowly catch.


“He met them once or twice but he was five. He doesn’t remember much. But what he does remember of them are good memories.”


“Thank God for that. I know of his childhood. I know the pain he was forced to endure.”


“He told you?” John asked, slightly shocked that Brian would share something so intimate.


“No, it was Joan. Not quite a confession,” Tom quickly added. “I would never break the confessional rules. More like sharing a confidence.”


“Did Joan know about you and Brian?”


Tom shook his head no. “He told you,” a statement, not a question.


“I sort of guessed, he sort of told. It’s really none of my business.”


“I’m a guest on your lane; you have the right to know what sort of guest I am.” Tom suddenly aged ten years and looked defeated.


“Let me tell you what I know about my guest. He’s a good kind man with a very large compassionate heart. He’s a man with a sense of humor. He has to be to put up with all of our craziness for this many years. And he’s the man who helped to bridge a rift that no one could believe would ever mend. You proved that God in whatever shape or form he/she takes has love for all of us and not just a chosen few. That’s the sort of guest I have on the lane. And he’s welcome to stay for as long as he wishes.”


John placed his hands gently on Tom’s shoulders. Tom took a shuddering breath before he turned to wipe the tears from his eyes.


After a few minutes, making sure Tom was all right to leave alone, John headed for the door. “You’re more than welcome to join us for dinner. I believe Rachel baked us a pie.”


“That’s kind of you but perhaps tomorrow night,” Tom said with his back still turned.


“Of course. And Tom,” John said, making Tom turn to face him. “Todd is a good man, a little flighty but he has a good heart. But he’s hurting right now.”


“I understand. I’ll try not to add to it.”


“You’re hurting too and that old adage, misery loves company, is truer than you think. Be honest with him, share your confidences with him. He won’t judge and maybe you both will come out of it stronger.”


“Thank you, John. You really should have been a priest,” Tom said with a small smile.


“Goodnight, Father.”


“Uh uh,” Tom shook his finger. John smiled.


“Goodnight, Tom,” John said as he left the cottage.


“Goodnight,” Tom murmured as he sat down in an overstuffed chair near the fireplace to watch the flames.


 


*****

 



“Are you sure he’s all right?” Bobby asked John as they were cleaning up the supper dishes. Homework had been finished and checked, dinner eaten and the day, in general, discussed. The kids were watching a movie in Patrick’s room while Justin was working on his project.


“I’m not sure, but I’m confident that he’ll work it out,” John replied.


“But if he, you know,” Bobby whispered.


“You can say it out loud.”


Bobby inhaled then exhaled. “Won’t he get in trouble if he has sex?”


“I’m sure he’ll have to make penance but if he’s sincere then it’ll all work out.”


They worked in companionable silence putting the dishes away when a buzzer sounded.


“That’s the gate,” John stated. Anyone who had the code could open the gate so John had an additional buzzer to let the family know that the release was triggered. “Are you expecting anyone?”


“No, you?” Bobby asked.


“No,” John said as he looked at his watch. It was only eight but usually the lane residents knew when someone was coming for a visit. John called for Beau and the two of them went outside to check.


“Is that Todd?” Bobby asked, seeing the familiar pick-up truck park in front of the large cottage. A figure got out then walked up the path to the front door. They could hear the knock and then the man disappeared inside. Before John could answer, Justin sidled up to them.


“Is that…?”


“Todd,” John and Bobby replied.


“Oh boy,” Justin said.


“Yeah,” Bobby agreed.


The three men looked at each other then back down the lane. Beau sat by John’s feet waiting for a sign from his master.


“Hey, did someone come through the gate?” George asked as he jogged over from his house. The guys could see Rachel standing by her door. He squinted for a second then recognized the truck. “Is that...?”


“Todd,” came the three part chorus.


“Oh boy!” George said. “Um, good night,” George added as he made his retreat.


“Good night,” they all mumbled as they continued to stare down the lane.


“You do know how ridiculous this looks,” Bobby said after a while.


“Yeah.”


“Yes.”


“They’re grown men,” Bobby added.


“Yup.”


“Uh huh.”


“We should mind our own business,” Bobby continued.


“Right.”


“Sure.”


“Come on, time for all good little lane residents to be tucked inside their own cottages,” Bobby said as he grabbed wrists and tugged John and Justin toward the house. As they got to Justin’s front door, John sent Beau on patrol.


“Go boy, make sure all is secure,” John told the big dog. Beau barked, sprang to his feet then shot down the lane to inspect his territory.


“I could use a beer,” Justin announced as he stepped inside the cottage.


“Me too,” Bobby said.

 

“Me three,” John said as he closed the door then followed the guys to the kitchen.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 7



 


“Hey.”


“Hey. Where are you?”


“In a cab heading for the airport,” Brian replied.


“Which way you going?” Justin asked with a small sigh.


“London’s calling, Sunshine.”


“I was afraid of that.”


“You knew it was a possibility.”


“What I know and what I hope are two separate things.”


“Justin, say the word and I’ll come home.”


“No. Ignore me.”


“Never,” Brian emphatically stated.


Justin smiled. “We haven’t been apart for more than a day in a very long time. I’ve forgotten what that’s like. Brian Kinney is Kinnetik; you should be out there. Your loyal clients deserve the man himself.”


“How’s the good friar doing?” Brian asked after a short pause.


“I’m not sure but whatever he’s doing, he’s not doing it alone.”


“Excuse me?”


“You heard me. Our Tom has a gentleman caller tonight.”


“I’m not sure if I like the idea of strangers on the lane.”


“Well then you’ll be thrilled to know that the caller is not a stranger.”


“Spill.”


“It’s Todd and if you say excuse me one more time, I’m hanging up then substituting toothpaste for all your anti-aging shit,” Justin said, trying to come up with something threatening.


“I’m quaking in my Pradas,” Brian snarked. “Should I speak to him?”


“Which him?”


“Todd, Tom, take your pick.”


“No, John seems to think we should just stay out of it.”


“Good advice. We’re approaching the terminal. I’ll call you before I board. Maybe I’ll duck into the men’s room so we can have a little phone sex.” Brian heard Justin giggle. “I miss you,” Brian softly crooned.


“I miss you too. Hurry back,” Justin said knowing how needy that sounded.


“As soon as I can, Sunshine. Kiss the Squirt for me and I’ll call you back when I’ve checked in. Later.”


“Later.”


 


*****

 



“What’s up with you?” Gordon asked John. It was early the next morning; John was studying the final, final plans for the cabin.


“What do you mean?”


“I mean you’ve been distracted lately. You like building projects like these but this time, I’m not so sure,” Gordon said as he swept his hand toward the cleared space for the cabin. “Come on, tell Uncle Gordon all about it.”


“Not much to tell other than I really wish my family would stay out of the construction business.”


“I thought so. More visits with helpful hints?”


“No, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t called, emailed and texted me.”


“Ah the joys of having a large family.” Gordon chuckled at John’s scowl. “I remember when the only one I had to answer to was your mother.”


“Yes, the good old days,” John said then quickly snapped out of it. “Ignore me; I must be going through a mid-life crisis or something. I love what I have. I wouldn’t give any of it up or them.”


“I know. But this cabin isn’t the only thing that’s got your knickers in a twist.” Just then a familiar pick-up truck maneuvered past the construction vehicles toward the gate. The driver ignored the stares he was getting.


“Was that Todd?” Gordon asked.


“Yes,” John said looking up to the sky for guidance.


“Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t he here yesterday?”


“You’re not wrong. He came back and spent the night.”


“Oh. OH!” Gordon repeated when the light dawned. “Um…”


“Don’t go there. I’m trying not to and I’m pretending there’s a simple explanation.”


“Okaaay. I can live with that. So let’s talk cabin.”


“Good idea.”


“Let me ask you something. Since when does John Anderson get all namby pamby about one of his creations?” Gordon said with a stern look. “Hasn’t this gone on long enough? You and Brian own this land, you have a right to make sure the buildings fit into your overall scheme. Uh uh, don’t interrupt,” Gordon admonished when John opened his mouth to object. “Yes, I know the client’s wishes must be taken into consideration but I know you. And I’ve gotten to know Brian. He meant a small neat looking cottage. So, okay, it started out as a small neat looking log cabin. And now, it’s turning into a lodge. Let’s take it down a notch.”


Before John could respond, the snack truck pulled up. The men began to mill around it for their morning coffees and breakfast. John and Gordon each got a cup and a Danish then went back to the plans which were tacked to a small table.


“Take a few sips then talk to me about the cabin you envisioned,” Gordon commanded.


John took a long careful sip of the hot brew then a few bites out of the sticky sweet Danish. He let the caffeine and sugar begin to wake up his brain before telling Gordon his thoughts about the cabin.


“Jacko, my man, it sounds perfect. The loft bedrooms will accommodate Michael’s kids and from the outside the structure will still look like one level. The foundation stones are the same type that we used for the gate pillars and it’ll carry the same theme with the perimeter fence. It’ll all fit in,” Gordon reassured his friend and business partner. “I knew you didn’t get those three little letters attached to your name for nothing,” Gordon said with a big smile and a slap on the back for John.


John laughed. “So bottom line I should just get over myself and follow my instincts?”


“There’s the bossman I know and love,” Gordon said with a big smile and a nod. “Now let’s get back to work.”


 


*****

 



Michael watched his daughter and husband as they finished up their breakfast. There had been a lot of silence during the meal in spite of Michael’s attempts to get a conversation going. He got brief answers from Ben to any questions he asked, and he was lucky to get a grunt from JR. Neither Ben nor JR made any try at talking to each other. Michael hated this tension, and he vowed to do something about it.


“I’m thinking of a new story for the next Rage edition. Can I run it by you two?” Michael asked. He had given a lot of thought to what his customer had told him a couple of days ago. It was worth a try.


Ben nodded and JR grunted. Michael decided to throw out an idea and see what happened.


“I had this idea that maybe Zephyr and Dr. Ken Kirschner could build a cabin out in the country so that they can get away from the stress of being a superhero,” Michael explained.


“Art imitating life?” Ben asked with a smile for his husband.


Michael was pleased that Ben had seen the connection immediately. Maybe that would make his husband see the other connection that he was hoping to make as he explained his thoughts about this project. JR had said nothing. Michael turned to her.


“What do you think, JR?” Michael asked his daughter.


JR shrugged. “You didn’t call me honeybun,” she muttered.


Michael ignored the honeybun reference. He didn’t want to get into that right now, although it sounded surprisingly like JR was disappointed that he hadn’t used the affectionate term for his daughter that she usually took such exception to whenever he used it. Michael knew that he would never give up that name for his daughter.


“I’d really like your opinion, honeybun,” Michael said, using the contentious name and hoping to draw her into the conversation.


A little smile played at the corners of JR’s mouth when Michael called her honeybun. “I guess you could do something like that, but who will the bad guys be?” she asked. “You need a villain of some kind, don’t you?”


“Always a villain,” Michael agreed. “Any ideas?”


“Since when do you ask us for ideas?” Ben asked. He was slightly suspicious of this new turn of affairs.


“Since I haven’t really written a Rage story for quite a while,” Michael retorted. “I’ve left the whole project to Lacy for so long that I’m kind of rusty.”


Ben frowned. That did make sense. Maybe Michael was just out of practice and actually did need some help. “Why are you getting back into the story part of Rage all of a sudden?” he asked.


“I have more time now that JR is at the store, and I wanted a creative outlet,” Michael explained. There was some truth to that. He hoped it sounded genuine.


Ben smiled. Wanting a creative outlet was something he could certainly identify with. “Are you planning to take more time off?” he asked his husband.


“Could be,” Michael agreed. “The store is in good hands.” JR smiled at her father while Ben frowned at Michael’s comment. The frown was not lost on the girl.


“I have an idea for a villain,” JR said deciding she could contribute something to the comic.


“What?” Michael asked.


“What if one of the workmen building the log cabin is a homophobe and he tries to sabotage the building when he sees Zephyr and Ken kissing?”


“Ooh,” Michael reacted. “I like that.”


JR grinned. “You’ll need a good catchy name for him like your other villains.”


“True,” Michael said thoughtfully.


“And how will Rage fit into this?” Ben asked.


“I haven’t figured that out yet,” Michael admitted. He was kind of winging this whole thing.


“What if the homophobic builder is really someone who wants to run his own company, but doesn’t have the money to start one,” JR suggested. “He hates working for his boss, and he hates gays.”


“Maybe he’s undereducated and hasn’t reached a level of maturity that would allow him to get ahead in life,” Ben added. He couldn’t stop himself from looking at JR as he made this point.


JR scrunched up her face at Ben’s comment. It sounded very much like he was referring to her.


“I guess that could be part of it,” Michael said. He knew he was treading on thin ice with this whole discussion. “Anyway, JR and I should get to the store. Maybe you both can think about this idea and see what else you can come up with.”


JR grunted and Ben nodded. They all got ready to go to work.


 


*****

 



Later that morning the bell above the door at the comic shop jingled. Michael looked up from the pad where he had been writing some dialogue for his possible new Rage comic.


“Maw!” he said, surprised to see Debbie standing in front of him. “What are you doing here?”


“Can’t I visit my son and granddaughter?” Debbie demanded.


“Um, sure Maw, I was just surprised.”


“Actually, I came to take my granddaughter out to lunch,” Debbie declared. “Where is that girl?”


“Back here,” JR said coming out of the office. She had been ordering some inventory on the internet.


“Come and give your grandma a kiss,” Debbie ordered.


JR came around the counter and walked into a big hug from her grandmother. Debbie kissed her on the cheek leaving a big red lip print that she tried to rub off.


“Want to go to the diner for some lunch?” Debbie asked.


JR looked at her father who nodded. “Sure.”


“What about me?” Michael asked sounding like a little boy.


“I’ll bring you a burger,” JR said as she followed her grandmother out the door of the shop.


 


*****

 



“So what’s going on, kiddo?” Debbie asked after they had given Lacy their orders at the diner.


“I … I,” JR stammered. She had called her grandmother hoping for some help with Ben’s attitude, but now that suddenly seemed like a really bad idea.


“Spit it out.”


“It … it’s Ben.”


“Ben? Fucking Ben?”


JR nodded. “I don’t know what to do,” JR admitted.


“Tell me what the problem is.”


“You know what it is. He thinks I’m pathetic for not going to college. Every time he looks at me I see the disappointment in his eyes. I don’t know how much longer I can stand it. Can I come live with you, Grandma?”


“Jesus! Is it that bad?” Debbie reacted.


“I hate being around Ben when he feels that I’m so bad.”


“Sweetheart, I know Ben loves you. He may be disappointed, but he’ll get over it.” Debbie wished her words would make it so, but she knew about Ben’s feelings that JR was wasting her life at the comic book store.


“It’s been months, Grandma, and it’s not getting any better.”


“Have you talked to him about this?”


“He barely looks at me let alone talks to me,” JR contended. Her face showed the sadness that Ben’s attitude was causing her.


“JR, not discussing this with Ben is only going to make it worse.”


“I … I can’t,” JR whined. “Grandma, could you talk to him?”


Debbie heaved a sigh and studied her granddaughter. If JR wasn’t so obviously upset by what was going on with Ben, Debbie would never interfere. But it seemed like something had to be done. “I’ll see what I can do,” Debbie said.


Lacy brought their orders and they dug into the food.


 


*****

 



JR rushed through the door of the comic shop. She had been gone longer than she had intended.


“Hey, honeybun,” Michael greeted her. “Where’s that burger? I’m starved.”


“Right here, Daddy,” JR replied holding up a bag from the diner. “I brought you an order of fries too.”


“That’s my girl.”


JR handed her father the food and joined him behind the counter. “Do you want to eat that in the office? I can look after the store,” JR offered.


“Thanks, honeybun.”


“Daaaaad!”


Michael grinned. “Did you and Maw get some stuff worked out?” he asked as he opened the bag and looked inside.


“I thought you were starving. Go eat your food,” JR ordered.


Michael decided that it might be best if he did just that and left JR to her thoughts. He hoped his mother had been able to help his daughter. Sometimes a woman’s influence was needed. He headed for the office.


 


*****

 



“Everything okay out here?” Michael asked a while later. He had finished his burger and fries in the relative peace of his office.


“Yep,” JR replied as she rang up a customer.


“Good.”


The customer took his purchase and left the store.


“Daddy, I have an idea for Rage.”


“Oh? What?”


“You know the builder guy who’s homophobic,” JR began, referring to their conversation about Rage at breakfast.


“Yeah, what about him?”


“I was thinking that instead of being ignorant and uneducated he could be overeducated and arrogant. That has been holding him back from being the architect he wanted to be. Maybe nobody liked his designs so he was forced into becoming a construction worker. That’s where his resentment comes from. He thinks he’s better than everybody else because he has all this education, but it doesn’t get him anywhere. As a result, he’s become bitter and hateful.”


“Hm,” Michael said thinking seriously about what JR was saying. He could almost see that the homophobic builder was based on JR’s feelings about Ben at the moment – especially the over-educated and bitter part. He knew things were getting really bad between the members of his family. He had to find a solution.


“You don’t like it,” JR said after a minute, and Michael’s lack of response.


“No, I actually do like it. I was just thinking about how to incorporate that into the story”


That brought a smile to JR’s face. “I’m glad you like it,” she said happily as she went to straighten some comics that the last customer had moved around.


Michael watched her, knowing how hurt she was by Ben’s attitude. He took out his phone and went into the office closing the door behind him.


 


*****

 



“Maw,” Michael said into his phone.


“Yes, Michael, what can I do for you?” Debbie asked, although she thought she probably knew.


“What did you and JR talk about at lunch?”


Not one to mince words, Debbie replied, “Ben.”


Michael sighed. “I thought so. Was she really upset?”


“Yes, Michael, she was fucking upset. What has Ben been saying to her?”


“It’s not so much what he says,” Michael tried to explain. “It’s the way he looks at her and the obvious disappointment that he exudes when he’s around her. I’m really worried about what’s happening to my family.”


“You should be.”


“Wha…What did she say?” Michael asked, a shiver of fear running down his back.


“She asked if she could fucking move in with me,” Debbie informed her son in no uncertain terms.


“What did you tell her?” Michael was afraid of the answer his mother was about to give.


“I didn’t really answer her. I tried to smooth things over, but that hasn’t worked so well in the past, and I doubt it’s going to work any better now.”


“I know,” Michael said sadly.


“You need to get those two to talk to each other, and make sure Ben doesn’t come down too hard on that girl. If he does, I’m going to have another boarder whether I want one or not.”


“Yes, Maw,” Michael said before he cut the connection.


 


*****

 



“Ben,” Michael said when his husband picked up.


“Is something wrong?” Ben immediately asked. Michael didn’t usually call during the day when Ben was at work.


“Yes, something’s really wrong. Can you get home early tonight, before JR gets there? We need to talk.”


“Okay.”

 

Michael hung up. He had some important thinking to do about how he was going to handle this situation.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 8




 


“Hey.”


“Hey,” Justin replied. “Where are you?”


“I haven’t a fucking clue,” came a very tired reply. Justin giggled. “It’s true!” Brian protested. “I don’t even know what day it is or the time.”


“It’s eleven in the morning here,” Justin informed his spouse.


“That’s helpful. Where is here?”


“I’m at the gallery, helping, sort of. Lindsay has it all under control. She really doesn’t need me. So I’ve been hanging out with Sidney, staying out of the way and reminiscing.”


“Do tell.”


“It’s kind of a turning point for the gallery. The Emerging Artist’s show is celebrating an anniversary of sorts; Emmett’s catering the affair like he did the first time with a French theme. Will you be back in time for it?’


“When is it?”


“The beginning of October.”


“I’ll be home way before then. Probably a lot sooner if I can only figure out what day it is,” Brian whined. Justin laughed outright.


“It can’t be that bad.”


“Sure it can. I got off the plane and it was mid-morning. Shane picked me up at the airport and the man’s been a slave driver ever since. He wouldn’t even let me check into my hotel first. He brought me to the office and allowed me to wash up a little. I barely changed clothes when he handed me the worst cup of coffee ever then shoved me back into the car and drove me to a meeting. You do remember that they drive on the wrong side of the road here.”


Justin broke out into gales of laughter. Brian ignored him and went on with his story.


“Whatever happened during our meeting must have been good because Shane was smiling and the client insisted on buying us tea at Harrods. That’s the last time I ever eat cucumber sandwiches.”


“You’ve had some adventure, haven’t you? How much longer are you staying?”


“Not much longer. Did Lindsay tell you that I’ll be seeing Chaaarles?”


“Yes, she did. She’s sending him a few more canvases and some of my sketches.”


“Did she also tell you that he and Shane are hosting a small party in the gallery for the Isles clients?”


“She mentioned it.”


“Don’t you want to be here to explain your masterpieces?”


“Not particularly.” Brian said nothing, waiting for Justin to continue. “Brian, this is for Kinnetik Isles, the gallery is just the venue. Besides, you know my masterpieces, as you call them, almost better than I do. If anything requires explaining, I’m sure you can handle it.”


“Justin, you know I’ll put you on the next plane, just say the word.”


“I know but I think I’m needed here.”


“What’s going on?” Brian said with a bit of concern.


“Nothing much at the moment but I have a feeling it’s the calm before the storm.”


“Waxing poetic, eh, Sunshine?” Justin grumbled something a bit off color. “Language, Sunshine,” Brian chuckled. Someone speaking in the background was trying to get Brian’s attention. “Hold on, Justin,” Brian said as he covered the phone for a second. “My slave driver is cracking his whip.”


“Kinky. Just don’t get used to it.”


“You’re the only one that can crack that particular whip,” Brian purred softly.


“Call me later tonight,” Justin quickly begged.


“It might be late,” Brian warned.


“I don’t care. I miss you. I want to hear your voice.”


“You got it, Sunshine. I love you,” Brian whispered.


“I love you. Later.”


“Later.”


 


*****

 



Michael paced back and forth behind the sofa. He had been home for about a half hour, waiting for Ben to come home too. He left JR running the store. He didn’t want her to hear what he was going to have to say to his husband. He kept running things through his head trying to decide how to present the problem to Ben. No matter what Michael came up with he knew Ben wasn’t going to like it. He would go into denial and get all defensive. Michael knew he had to get through to his husband before it was too late for their family.


Suddenly Michael heard the sound of a key in the front door of the house. Ben was home. He drew in a deep breath as the door opened. Deliberately he smiled even though he didn’t feel much like smiling.


“Hey,” he said.


“Hey,” Ben replied. “What’s going on?”


“Can’t I ask my handsome husband to come home early once in a while?” Michael asked. He kissed Ben’s cheek, deliberately trying to keep things light. It would get heavy soon enough.


“Your phone call didn’t sound like a request for a tryst,” Ben said.


“Oh?”


“It was a command performance. So what’s this all about?”


“Let’s sit down,” Michael replied. He knew he was delaying the inevitable, but he had to find the right words, and so far they seemed to be escaping him.


Ben stared at his husband but followed him to the sofa. Michael turned to face him but no words were forthcoming.


“This is about JR, isn’t it?” Ben asked stepping right into the can of worms that he knew was probably coming.


“Yes,” Michael simply said.


“What’s happened now? Is she taking a job at the Big Q?” Ben’s derisive tone really pissed him off. That comment was uncalled for.


Michael’s mouth dropped open. “I used to work at the fucking Big Q, Ben. There’s nothing wrong with an honest day’s work whatever it might be.”


Ben blanched. He knew he should have chosen his words more carefully, but his feelings had been so raw lately that things came out before he could think about their effect. “I … I’m sorry,” he said, and he truly was sorry. He shouldn’t have said any such thing.


“You should be sorry,” Michael contended. “If you feel as you do about JR and the Big Q, then how the fuck do you feel about me? I’m associated with both of them.” Michael crossed his arms on his chest and glared at Ben. This was not going at all the way he wanted it to.


“Michael…” Ben began. “I can’t help the way I feel about JR’s decision to work and not go to college. It’s just the way I am.”


“You know, Ben, sometimes you are so full of shit!”


“Wha…What?” Ben asked taken aback. He had never heard Michael speak to him like that.


“People can change if they want. It happens every day. Look at Brian. He’s changed so fucking much since he met Justin. If he can change, anyone can. You can.”


“But…”


“I know you don’t like that JR isn’t going to college. We’re all fully aware of that fact, since you feel the necessity of reminding us at every opportunity how you feel about it. You don’t have to do that, you know. You don’t have to keep showing your disappointment every time you look at her. It’s too much, Ben. It’s too fucking much.”


“What am I supposed to do – pretend that I’m happy she’s throwing her life away?”


“She’s not fucking throwing her life away. That’s the first fallacy of what you’re saying. She’s working at a good job, she’s a responsible member of society and she’s happy. Can’t you give her that?” Michael demanded.


“I want more for her,” Ben said lamely.


“I want the world for her,” Michael declared, “but I don’t tell her every day that she’s going about getting that in the wrong way. These are her decisions. She has a right to make them, and she has the right to be respected for her decisions.”


“But…”


“There is no BUT, Ben. There just isn’t. If things don’t change, we’re going to lose her altogether.”


“What do you mean?”


“JR had lunch with Maw today. She asked if she could go live with Maw. She said she can’t stand it here any longer.”


“She did?” Ben’s face fell. It finally hit him how much his words and looks might be hurting his daughter.


“She did, and she meant it.”


“Did Debbie say she could?”


“No,” Michael conceded. “Maw tried to redirect her into a better approach. You have to know how bad JR feels when she wants to move out. Something has to change.”


“Me, you mean.”


“Yes, you.” The time for sugar coating things was long past. “And there’s more.”


“Jesus! More?”


“Yeah.”


“Okay, tell me,” Ben said with a sigh. He might as well hear it all.


“You remember the Rage story I brought up at breakfast?”


“Yes, what about it?”


“She told me that she thought the homophobic builder should be overeducated, not undereducated. He wanted to be an architect, but he wasn’t any good at it. Nobody liked his designs, so he was forced to work in construction. That’s why he’s so bitter and has no tolerance for anyone else.”


“Is she saying what I think she’s saying?” Ben asked. His face was angry at first, but then something that could be shame seemed to creep across it.


“What do you think she’s saying?” Michael asked. He needed to hear Ben say it.


“It … It sounds like she’s describing me. I wanted to be a writer, but nobody liked my stories all that much. Does she think I’m bitter and intolerant?”


“You have been bitter and intolerant with her,” Michael said softly.


Ben shook his head as that truth finally hit him too. “I guess I have been,” he said in a whisper. “And she figured that out all by herself?”


Michael nodded. “Our daughter is very smart, even without a college education.”


“How am I ever going to make this up to her?” Ben asked. He was truly at a loss as to what he could do.


Michael breathed a silent sigh of relief. It looked like his husband finally understood. “Maybe you can come up with an idea for Rage that would show her that you understand. That’s what she did with you.”


“Yeah,” Ben agreed. He was already trying to think of a way to make the homophobic builder with too much education and not enough compassion into a more sympathetic character.


“Any ideas?”


“I’m thinking,” Ben said.


Michael waited. He had some ideas about how this edition of Rage might play out, but this was Ben’s problem, and Michael wanted him to own it. The idea had to come from Ben. Michael went into the kitchen to start dinner. That would give Ben some time to think.


Michael had everything just about ready for dinner when JR came home. Ben had not moved from the sofa. He had been apparently lost in thought. Michael hoped he had come up with some brilliant idea about how to fix this mess.


“Hi, honeybun,” Michael said. “Everything all right at the store?”


“Yep, no problems. We did well today.”


“Great,” Michael responded. “Dinner will be ready in a couple of minutes.”


“JR, will you join me for a minute?” Ben asked patting the sofa cushion next to him, indicating that JR should sit down. “I’d like to talk to you.”


“I’m not going to college, at least not right now,” JR said defiantly.


Ben shook his head. JR seemed to think that was all he could talk to her about. Michael was right. Things had to change. “That’s not what I want to talk about,” Ben replied gently. He was stung by the vehemence in JR’s tone.


JR threw him a disdainful look, but then walked over and sat down at the far end of the sofa as far away from Ben as she could be when they were both sitting on the same piece of furniture. “What do you want to talk about?”


“I had an idea about the Rage issue that we were discussing this morning.”


“So did I.”


“I know,” Ben said. “Michael told me.”


JR made a little face, but then asked, “What did you think of my idea?” She figured he was about to tell her how stupid it would be to make the builder overeducated. A person with education would never behave like that. She steeled her back, ready to tell him off.


“I … I thought it had great merit,” Ben said.


“You did?” JR asked, surprised that Ben would think anything she did was good.


“I thought maybe we could take it even further.”


“Really?” JR smiled for the first time since she came through the door of the house.


Ben smiled back. “Since this builder has a lot of education, maybe he could notice that the cement footings for the house are being made of inferior concrete. At first he doesn’t say anything thinking that Ken and Zephyr deserve to have their house fall down.” JR waited listening intently to what Ben had cooked up. “Soon he realizes that the person overseeing the building of the house is totally ripping off his clients. Everything he is doing involves cutting corners and using sub par materials. He tries to confront the boss. The boss has his goons beat him up, and he’s kicked off the job.”


“But, how does that solve anything?” JR asked.


“He realizes that he has a responsibility to stop his boss from doing the kind of things he’s doing. He goes to Zephyr, and Zephyr and Rage punish the boss with Rage’s mind control. The boss is forced to give them back their money and storms off, hopefully to build no more. Zephyr asks the homophobic builder if he will take over the project. It’s a new beginning for this guy, and he changes his ways. He can go on to build other houses.”


JR smiled. “I like it, but I think Zephyr should also realize that something’s wrong. After all, he’s not dumb. When he gets the visit from the homophobe, they can work together. He sees how great gay guys can be in bringing justice to the world. What do you think?”


“Brilliant,” Ben said with a huge smile. “You’re just brilliant!”


“I am?”


“Always have been,” Ben said meaning every word of it. “I’m so sorry I’ve been moping around making you feel bad about not going to college. I realize you’re doing exactly what you want to do, need to do. You’re great just the way you are.”


“Oh Ben!” JR sobbed as tears sprang to her eyes. “I’ve wanted you to say that to me for so long.”


“I know it’s been far too long in coming,” Ben said as he pulled JR into a warm hug. “I love you and I respect and I think you’re very smart. Never doubt any of that.”


“I won’t … from now on.” She kissed Ben’s cheek.


Michael watched them, feeling better than he had in weeks, months. “Dinner’s ready,” he said with a happy grin.


 


*****

 



John sent the last of the construction crew home with a wave as the last truck made its way to the gate. John smiled; his crew had had a very productive day. Once John put his foot down and followed his instincts, the work began in earnest. He had made the executive decision to stick with his original, if modified, plans for the cabin. A spacious living area with a stone fireplace as the major feature; a modest kitchen area with room for a dinette and an ensuite bedroom in the back for Ben and Michael. There would be two loft bedrooms with a full bathroom between them on the upper level. He planned the main level to incline down so that the whole structure looked like one level. The stone foundation rose up half way around the walls, meeting the logs that would construct the rest of the cabin.


John was pleased with the final design. And if anyone complained, to hell with them! Not that anyone would ever dare to complain. The family knew that John had the final word regarding the construction on the lane. Even Brian wouldn’t dare to contradict his brother. The brothers had similar tastes and vision when it came to their little piece of the world; Edna’s Treasures was their sanctuary. When the final plan was tacked to the special notice table set up in the front of the staging area, a cheer went up and the crew got to work. John even got a wink and a nod from Gordon. Yes, it was a very good day, John thought as he locked up the security fence.


“Phew, I stink!” John murmured as caught a whiff of himself. He was also covered in mortar. John had begun to instruct his young interns in the fine art of cementing stones together and of pointing. The irregular shape of the large stone presented a challenge but it was a good learning experience. Work was going well until one of the interns accidentally splattered one of John’s men with mortar. For the next fifteen minutes silliness ensued which left most of the men covered in dust and globs of cement. Considering the stress the men had suffered due to the constant changes in the design, John let the guys blow off steam. But before it got out of hand, John and Gordon put a halt to the battle. The men laughed, hosed themselves off then got back to work.


John looked down at his filthy clothes and then decided he’d take advantage of the shower in the greenhouse; this was exactly why he had the bathroom-mudroom built. He always kept a spare pair of jeans and a t-shirt in the mudroom, just in case. John didn’t want to risk tracking the difficult to clean up mortar and dust into his cottage.


“Much better,” John said to himself as he stepped out of the shower and dried off. He wrapped a towel around his slim hips then grabbed a second one to throw onto his head. He was rubbing the towel through his hair as he walked out of the mud room into the main greenhouse.


“Whoa!” John jumped, holding the towel around his waist in place. “Sorry, I wasn’t expecting anyone to be in here,” John stammered. Todd and Tom were sitting on one of the stone benches that surrounded one of the flowerbeds. Todd quickly stood up.


“Um,” Todd mumbled, not knowing what to say as he admired the view.


“I’m sorry we startled you,” Tom calmly stated. “Todd has been educating me on the wonderful plants and flowers here in the greenhouse,” Tom stated nonchalantly. He was desperately trying not to notice John’s muscular upper body and toned abs.


“I’m sorry, I was covered in muck and decided to wash it off before I trailed it into the house,” John said by way of explanation. “I wasn’t expecting company.”


“No need to apologize, this is your home. We’re the guests,” Tom said.


“I wondered why you built a full bath in here,” Todd said half to himself.


“It was an afterthought, but one I easily incorporated into the plans. Brian loves to garden but it can be messy work. Plus, the full bathroom comes in handy with the amount of guests we have staying here on occasion. And considering the current expansion,” John said with a shrug. Tom and Todd nodded in agreement.


“It makes sense,” Tom said. “This building is not just a greenhouse. It’s almost an extension of your home,” he said as he stood up and slowly paced. “The way the arbor leads to the side doors from your garden and the front facade is similar to your cottage. It all fits,” Tom observed. John smiled; he liked when his designs were understood and appreciated.


“It’s time for me to get back to the house,” John announced. “Please stay as long as you like. Brian made this a special place, a peaceful place where someone can rest and reflect. He’d be happy to know that it was being enjoyed,” John said as he returned to the bathroom to dress.


“John,” Todd said before John disappeared into the bathroom. John stopped and turned. “Do you mind that I’ve been spending time here?” Todd asked almost hesitantly.


“Not at all. You’re welcome to spend as much time here as you’d like,” John responded sincerely before entering the bathroom and shutting the door behind him.


“John’s a good man,” Tom stated.


“Yes, he is,” Todd agreed.


“They’re all very special people here, on this lane. Very special,” Tom repeated as he sat back down on the bench. “Todd…” Tom began as he turned to face the younger man.


“Tom, we’re acquaintances discovering that we have a few things in common. I’d like to think we’re becoming friends,” Todd wisely declared.


“Yes, we do have some things in common and I am enjoying your company. I’d be proud to consider you a friend,” Tom said with a warm smile.


“Then let’s leave it at that. I’m getting hungry,” Todd announced. “Are you hungry?” Tom nodded. “Then how about I buy you dinner?”


“Sure, where should we go?” Tom asked as he stood and began to follow Todd out of the greenhouse.


“It’s a bit of a drive, right outside of Bridgeton, a place called the Honey Bear. They have great food, good music, if you’re in the mood to dance, and it’s very gay friendly.”


“Sounds like heaven,” Tom quipped. “No pun intended,” he quickly added when he realized what he said. They both laughed, lightening up the mood.

 


*****

 



“What’s up with you? You’ve been distracted all evening,” Bobby said as he snuggled close to John. They had spent most of the evening helping Justin crate up some of his larger canvases for pick up. It was past ten before they crawled into bed.


“This thing with Tom and Todd has got me worried,” John replied.


“I wasn’t aware there was a thing between Todd and Tom.”


“Maybe I’m reading more into it than there is.”


“Maybe, but you usually are a good judge of character,” Bobby said.


“Except for this instance. I like both men very much. They both seem to be carrying a lot of pain and uncertainty. I don’t think it’s a good time for either of them to form a relationship.”


“Perhaps the only relationship that’s forming is just friendship,” Bobby said wisely.


“I hope so,” John murmured as he drew Bobby closer then kissed his lips. “Make love to me,” John whispered.

 

“Always,” Bobby whispered back against John’s inviting lips as Bobby began to make love to his spouse.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 9


 




“Hey,” Justin said as he opened the door of Edna’s Treasures to Faith, Bree’s music teacher.


“Good afternoon,” Faith replied formally.


“I’m afraid the bus must be a little late today,” Justin said. “Bree hasn’t come home from school yet.”


“Figures,” Faith said making a face. “When I’m early, my student is late.”


“Would you like a cup of tea or coffee until she gets here?” Justin asked trying to be polite. Faith had never been an easy person to take to, but she did a great job teaching Bree the piano so that was the main thing.


“Coffee, please,” Faith replied.


“Great, I just made a pot,” Justin replied heading for the kitchen.


“You look like you’ve been painting,” Faith observed.


“I have been,” Justin said with a smile, looking down at his paint spattered clothes. I’ve been on a roll lately.” He picked up a mug and the pot of coffee and poured for Faith. He handed the mug to his guest.


“I’d love to see what you’re doing,” Faith said as she took a sip of Brian’s wonderful coffee blend. She always had some of his delicious coffee when she was teaching Bree. It was one of the best parts of coming to Edna’s Treasures – that and the precocious little girl she was teaching. She had learned to respect and even like Bree who did practice hard. That was always evident when Faith asked the girl to play whatever they had been working on.


Justin thought about her request. He wasn’t fond of letting outsiders see his incomplete pieces, but this one was so different from what he usually painted. It might be interesting to see Faith’s reaction to the painting. Maybe it would be a good idea to get an impartial opinion. “If you’d like to see it,” Justin said, “it’s all set up in the sun porch. It’s not nearly finished but I think you’ll get the idea.”


Faith stood up ready to see a Justin Taylor painting in progress. She carried her mug of coffee as she followed Justin out to the sun porch.


“Before you look at it,” Justin said, “I should warn you that it’s not anything like my usual work.”


“Oh?” Faith reacted. “I can’t wait to see it.”


“I’d appreciate your honesty,” Justin added as he led her around to the best place to get a good view of the canvas.


“Oh my!” Faith gasped as she looked at Justin’s work. She stood back taking in the wreck that was the log cabin John had taken Justin to see. The painting hit some chord in her heart the instant she looked at it. Then she saw the piece of broken glass in the window of the cabin. She moved closer and studied the small scene that was reflected in that piece of glass. Finally she stood up and moved back to survey the whole canvas again.


“You kind of gasped when you first looked at the painting,” Justin said uncertainly. He wasn’t sure if she hated it or really liked it. Faith wasn’t the easiest person to read. “Why did you do that?”


“Um…” Faith said, but she hesitated to continue.


“Please, I’d like to know,” Justin requested.


“When I first looked at this, it reminded me of where I grew up … in Cleveland.”


“You lived in a log cabin in Cleveland?” Justin asked confused.


Faith laughed. She actually had quite a pleasant laugh when it was sincere as it seemed to be now. “Oh my goodness, no,” she said. “We lived in an old apartment building in the center of the city. I went back there a few years ago to see it. It was all rundown, empty, abandoned.”


“So it was the feel of the building that struck you?” Justin asked.


“Yes, exactly,” Faith agreed. “I could feel that this place had been a home, but it had been abandoned and left to fall into ruin. It’s so sad when that happens.”


“Yes it is.”


“You really captured that feeling. It hit me as soon as I looked at the painting.”


“That’s good. I was hoping that would be the effect,” Justin explained. “What did you think of the scene in the shard of glass?”


“I love that idea,” Faith said. “But…”


“But what?” Justin asked with a frown. There was obviously something that Faith didn’t like.


“Um…I’m no authority on art.”


“Perhaps not, but there’s something that bothered you.” Justin tried to encourage her to speak. He really wanted her opinion.


“Well,” Faith began, “when I looked at the little scene in the glass, it was so lovely to see what the cabin would have looked like when it was being used. But … I wanted to see the people who lived there. You don’t have any people.”


Justin smiled widely. “That’s exactly what I had been thinking before you got here. That would make the cabin more real. The viewer would be more able to relate to the scene if we could see the family who lived there.”


“Exactly – family,” Faith concurred.


“The figures are going to be quite tiny in the glass, but I want to show the father maybe chopping wood while the wife hangs clothes on a line.”


“Oh yes,” Faith gushed. “But there should be a child too, maybe with a stick and wheel. You know those things that could keep the wheel going by turning the stick inside of it.”


“Or maybe a child playing with a little dog,” Justin suggested.


“I’m not really fond of animals,” Faith said, “but yes, I could see that too.”


“Daddy!” Bree called as she raced through the front door of Edna’s Treasures. Patrick was hot on her heels. “Our bus had a flat tire and we had to sit by the side of the road until a big old bus came to get us and it took forever and it was real hot.”


“Breathe, sweetheart, breathe,” Justin said as Bree wrapped herself around her father in a warm hug. “Say hello to Miss Faith while I get you two something to drink.”


“Thank you, Daddy, we’re real thirsty. Hi, Miss Faith.”


“Sounds like you had quite the adventure,” Faith chuckled.


“Tommy Bulmer threw up out the bus window,” Bree informed her music teacher. “It was gross and it smelled awful.”


“Oh dear.”


“Calm down, Bree,” Justin said as he brought a tray holding glasses of juice for Patrick and Bree, plus a couple of bottles of water. “You’re going to make yourself sick too, if you don’t settle down.”


Bree downed the whole glass of juice before handing it back to her father and saying, “More.”


Justin shook his head. “Why don’t you and Patrick go to your rooms and take a quick shower. That will cool you off, and when you come back you can have some water to drink and a cookie. Then Miss Faith would like to get to your lesson.”


“Water?” both Bree and Patrick said, aghast that Justin would offer them water.


“Yes, water. You’re dehydrated most likely. Here’s a bottle of water for each of you, but drink slowly.”


“I like juice,” Bree stated. Patrick nodded in agreement.


“Water, I said,” Justin told them. “Drink some and then go for your showers.”


“Do we hafta?” Bree asked but she took a drink of the water anyway.


“Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor!” Justin stated.


“Okay, Daddy,” Bree conceded. She didn’t like it when her parents used her full name. It usually meant she would be in big trouble if she didn’t do what they said.


“Get going, you two,” Justin ordered. “Miss Faith has other things to do than wait around for you all day.”


The children each took another drink of water and then ran to their rooms to get their showers.


“Sorry about the delay with your lesson,” Justin apologized.


“That’s okay,” Faith replied. “We’ll shorten it up a bit so that we don’t run too late. It sounds like the children could use some down time after their adventure.”


“Thanks for understanding.”


“No problem, some things are beyond our control. But I must tell you how much I enjoyed seeing your painting.”


“And I must tell you,” Justin replied, “how much I appreciate your feedback. This painting isn’t anything like my usual work, so it was great to hear that it had the desired effect. I’m glad you mentioned including a family. I think that will make the painting even better.”


Faith nodded. “Family is very important.”


“Yes it is.”


“Speaking of which, where’s Mr. Kinney?”


“He’s away on a business trip.”


“Oh, that’s too bad.”


“He’ll be back soon.”


“That’s good.”


“How’s your family?” Justin asked.


“Hope is doing a lot better with her father being home. She’s much easier to get along with.”


“That’s good,” Justin said remembering how Hope had demonstrated quite the attitude when they first met her.


“I … um … admired the way you handled the children when they didn’t want to do as you told them.”


“Thanks, they’re good kids.”


“Yes they are.”


“Daddy, I’m ready for my lesson now,” Bree called from the house. He could hear her tinkling the keys on the piano.


“I guess that’s my call to arms,” Faith said before setting down her coffee mug and heading into the house.


Justin watched her go glad that things were looking better for that family, then he turned to his canvas and began to work the family into his little scene on the shard of glass.


 


*****

 



Tom was sitting on the great rock beside the stream. He remembered telling Brian that this place was magical, not only because of the natural beauty of the place but it seemed to be touched by God. As he gazed out toward the middle of the stream, he recalled the miracle that happened the day he had helped to baptize Briana. Joan had come to the ceremony and that was the beginning of the reconciliation between mother and son. Tom sighed. He had been blessed, becoming a part of Brian’s family. And now Brian was providing him sanctuary, allowing him to get his act together to decide his future.


“Hello,” Tom heard as he watched the water ripple over the rocks. He turned to a see a handsome face smiling at him.


“Hi, Bobby, how are you?”


“Very well,” Bobby replied as he moved in closer to sit next to Tom. “More importantly, how are you doing? Any revelations?”


“Several but I’m not sure if they’re of any help.”


“Would you like to talk about it, maybe kick them around to see what conclusions you can make?”


“Thank you but I’m not ready to say them out loud yet.”


“No problem,” Bobby said as he patted Tom’s arm. “I’m here if you need me or you can speak with John, he has a very logical mind.” Bobby grinned.


“I’m sure he does.” Tom chuckled. He looked out to the stream and then back to Bobby. “Where does this go?” Tom pointed to the water.


“I’ve never really fully explored it more than a few hundred yards. Beau has. I think he considers the stream part of his territory. He follows it to the cottage John had renovated for the girls.”


“Danny and Riley live there now,” Tom stated. Bobby nodded. “What about the land on the other side of the stream, who owns it?” Tom pointed directly across from where they were sitting.


“Brian; all of us really but it’s easier to have one person as principle owner. Why? Are you interested in setting up camp?” Bobby joked.


“Maybe just a little exploration.”


“Well, enjoy. Just be careful, I really don’t know what’s beyond that tree line. If you’re serious, take Beau with you. I’d hate to have to send out a search party if you got lost.”


“Great idea, thank you. And thank you for letting me stay here.”


“We love having you.” Bobby jumped down off the rock, ready to go back to the house. “Tom, it’s really none of my business but you and Todd, I think he believed he and Gerry were in it for the long haul.”


“I know; we’ve talked about it. We seem to talk about everything…and nothing. You have my word that my intentions are honorable. Nothing has passed between us except for a lot of talk, a few hugs and one or two chaste kisses.” Bobby nodded. “While I’ve been trying to figure out how I might best serve my Lord, Todd’s been trying to figure out why he hasn’t been able to maintain a lasting relationship.”


“Any conclusions? For Todd, I mean.”


“Not really. He took me to the Honey Bear the other night. Do you know it?”


Bobby laughed and filled in Tom about the Honey Bear.


“Small world,” Tom commented. “Well we had a great time and Todd was hit on by several young men, but he seems to think that being with someone younger is wrong.”


“I wonder where he got that impression?” Bobby smiled.


“Beats the heck out of me. From what I can see, there are a lot of advantages of having a younger lover.” Tom smiled coyly making Bobby laugh.


“Perhaps I should talk to him,” Bobby said.


“Perhaps you should,” Tom agreed. Bobby turned to head for the path back to the cottage.


“Tom, if you’re planning to take that walk then you should go now, it’ll be dark soon.” Tom shook his head.


“No, I think I’ll go tomorrow morning. I’ll pack up a few things including water and a flashlight, and I’ll definitely take Beau.”


“Sounds like a plan. I’ll leave you to your contemplation,” Bobby said as he continued on the path. Tom nodded then turned to stare out toward the stream.


 


*****

 



“Hello?”


“Hey, Sunshine!”


“Brian!”


“The one and only.”


“Do you know where you are?” Justin teased.


“Yup and I even know the date and time,” Brian boasted.


“Wow, I’m impressed. How did your Kinnetik Isles function go?”


“Very well, I’m happy to report. Theodore will be pleased. I can almost hear the revenue adding up as we speak. Shane has built up a nice little business here with little help from me.”


“I’m sure he doesn’t see it that way. Your backing and the Kinnetik name certainly had a major impact on the business. How is Chaaarles?”


“Looking good for an old man,” Brian teased.


“He’s not that much older than you, you know.”


“I know; he had to beat the ladies away with a stick, a few men too.”


“Do I have to have a talk with Lindsay?


“Nope, they’re cool. I spoke to her and they still have the hots for each other. He’s planning to attend the Emerging Artists show to get some ideas for his own gallery, and they’ll boink like rabbits.”


“Eiw,” Justin giggled. “When are you coming home so we can boink like rabbits?”


“Soon; I’ve already booked my flight but I’m going to Los Angeles first. I haven’t been out there in a very long time. I might as well see everyone.”


“I agree,” Justin said with a soft sigh. “At least you’ll be on this side of the Atlantic.”


“I promise not to stay too long there but it’s important that I go. Joseph has an agenda bursting at the seams waiting for my arrival.”


“Any Hollywood hotties on that agenda?” Justin teased with just a touch of worry.


“None that can hold a candle to you, Sunshine. You have ruined me for life,” Brian declared in a ridiculously romantic way. Justin gasped. He could hear the teasing in Brian’s voice but he could also hear the love.


“I love you, Brian.”


“Love you too, Sunshine. I’ll email my flight information to you. Oh, and Charles will be sending you a list of requests. The posh haven’t forgotten Justin Taylor.”


“The posh?” Justin laughed at Brian’s use of the local colloquialism.


“That’s what Shane calls them. They have money and they want you. Speaking of wanting you, I miss you and that tight ass of yours.”


Justin chuckled.  “You do have a way with words, Mr. Kinney.”


“That’s why I get paid the big bucks, Taylor. Just be prepared to walk bow-legged for several days after I return,” Brian declared in his most arrogant and ‘studly’ tone.


“Forewarned is forearmed but you should be equally warned,” Justin purred. The lines between top and bottom had blurred over the years but Brian was still the TOP.


“Kiss the Squirt for me, Sunshine,” Brian said softly. The stud had disappeared, leaving Brian the partner, the lover and the father in his place.


“I will,” Justin replied in an equally softer tone. “I miss you, Bri,” Justin whispered.


“Miss you too, Justin. Miss all of you. I’ll be home soon. Later, Sunshine.”


“Later, Bri.”


 


*****

 



“Good morning!” Tom called out to John as John was walking toward the construction site. The crew was all milling around the snack truck getting breakfast and coffee.


“Good morning. Where are you off to?” John asked, spying Tom’s backpack. Bobby had mentioned Tom’s plan.


“To do a little exploring on the other side of the stream. I was wondering if I could get Beau to join me. Bobby thought he’d keep me out of trouble.”


“I think that can be arranged. I’m sure Beau knows all about that section of land. Let me get you his lead and one of our radios. We use them so we’re not constantly shouting over the machinery.”


“Are you sure? I don’t want to impose.”


“No imposition. I’ll leave one with Bobby. They’ll be tuned to a different frequency so if you run into any trouble Bobby can alert us. But you should be all right. Give me five minutes.”


Tom watched John rummage through one of the trucks then sprint up the lane. He was back in a few minutes with Beau bounding around him and with Bobby in tow.


“Okay, here we go,” John said as he gave Bobby and Tom a quick lesson in radio. He then hooked up Beau’s leash. “If you go just behind the meadow…” John pointed to the small meadow of grass that lay between the B&B and Emmett’s cottage. “The stream narrows there. It’ll make it easier for you to cross. Do you have a flashlight?”


“In here, plus some granola bars, water and a few other things,” Tom assured John.


“Good, then you’re all set. Be careful and take your time. I also have some geographical maps of the area. I’m not sure if they’ll help much but they probably can’t hurt,” John said as he handed a small folded packet of papers that were in a water proof baggie to Tom.


“Thank you. That’s much more than I expected,” Tom said as he stuffed the maps in his back pocket and hooked the radio to his belt. He took Beau’s lead from Bobby then took a deep breath. “We’re off!” Tom declared as he and Beau set off toward the woods.


“Are you sure he’ll be all right?” Bobby asked John, as Bobby made sure his radio was on. He gave the talk button a couple of testing clicks and immediately got clicks in return.


“I hope so. I’d hate to be the one to tell Brian that we lost his favorite priest,” John quipped.


“Better you than me,” Bobby replied as he headed back to the cottage.

 

John stared, swiveling his head back and forth as both men walked away. He looked up to the sky for some divine intervention. Getting nothing obvious, John shrugged his shoulders, got a cup of coffee and a donut then went to work.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 10


 




“Morning, JR,” Ben said as he came down the stairs.


JR had been up for a few minutes. She had started a pot of coffee and had set out boxes of cereal on the table, including the high fiber vitamin enriched tasteless crap that Ben ate every day. She was eating her own bowl of cereal.


“Good morning,” JR replied. They were on much better terms since Michael’s intervention, but JR kept waiting for the axe to fall on her once more. She was sure she’d do something that Ben would find juvenile or unworthy based on his university education.


“You’ve been busy,” Ben observed seeing everything that she had arranged.


“I’ve been up for a while. Coffee’s ready if you want some.”


“Yeah, I think I will today. Thanks.” Ben poured himself a mug of the rich brown brew. Normally he drank his herbal tea, but he wanted to show JR that he appreciated everything she had done to get breakfast ready.


“Is Dad up?”


“He was in the shower when I came down.”


“Oh.”


“JR, I want to thank you for doing all this. I know you’re making an effort and I promise I am too.”


JR shrugged her shoulders. “I know you are,” she sighed. “I just wish we didn’t have to try so hard.”


“We got so far off track that I think we’ll have to make an effort until we start to trust each other again,” Ben said sadly.


JR studied her father. She knew he was right. Somehow it made it very real to hear him express that. Trust had been lost. She had felt almost betrayed by the way Ben felt about her. She heaved a heavy sigh.


“I really am sorry, JR. I hope you know that.”


“I do.”


“There’s something else I want to tell you,” Ben added.


“What?”


Michael was part way down the stairs when he heard Ben say this. He stopped and waited. He wanted his husband and his daughter to feel better about each other. Maybe whatever Ben was going to say might cause that to happen. He didn’t want to interrupt.


“I … I asked John to make the log cabin big enough for all of our family. I asked him to add two more bedrooms so you and Hunter can visit at the same time.”


“But … I thought this was supposed to be a little retreat for you and Daddy,” JR said uncertainly. She liked the sound of Ben including her, but she wasn’t sure what this meant in the overall scheme of things. “You realize that when you and Daddy are there for any length of time, I’ll be here running the store.”


“I know that, and the cabin will be a retreat for your Dad and me, but on holiday weekends when the store is closed, like on Labor Day, I thought it would be great if we had a family space where we could all be together. You know, maybe cook a meal together rather than always eating with everybody else.”


“You think Brian will allow it?” JR teased.


“Fuck, Brian!” Ben groused. “Oops, I mean, I’m sure he’ll understand. We’ll be there for the big barbecues and stuff, but we do our own breakfasts, that kind of thing.”


“And you want me to be part of that?”


“Of course I do.”


JR smiled softly. “Thanks.”


“You two sound like you’re getting along better,” Michael announced as he entered the kitchen.


“Morning, Daddy,” JR said kissing his cheek. She dumped her empty bowl in the sink. “I’m just leaving for the store. You and Ben can take as much time for breakfast as you want. I’ll open up and get the day started at the store.”


“Thanks, honeybun,” Michael said with a big grin.


JR made her usual face at Michael’s name for her, and headed out the door.


“Thank you,” Michael said bending down to kiss Ben’s cheek.


“For what?”


“For putting that smile on her face, the one before the grimace when I called her honeybun.”


Ben chuckled. “We’re both trying, you know.”


“That’s a good thing.”


“You know what she told me?” Ben asked.


“What?” Michael said wondering if it was something he had overheard or something else.


“She said she wished we didn’t have to try so hard to be nice to each other and get along.”


“That’s my girl. She says what she thinks.”


“Do you think we will ever get there?” Ben asked.


“If you really want to, you two can get things back the way they used to be. Better even,” Michael predicted.


“I hope you’re right.”


“I know I am.”


“Come here, smarty pants,” Ben said patting his knee. Michael slid into his lap and they shared a tender kiss. “You don’t have to get to work for a while. Want to go back upstairs?” Ben asked with a wink.


“Only if you take me to the diner for a bacon and pancake breakfast when we’re through.”


“You drive a hard bargain,” Ben announced.


“I’m not cheap,” Michael teased.


“You’re just fucking adorable,” Ben said shoving Michael gently off his lap. He took Michael’s hand and they headed back upstairs.


 


*****

 



“Daddy, when is Dada coming home?” Bree asked as she munched on her Cheerios.


“He’s gone to Los Angeles for a few days, and then I think he’s coming home,” Justin said hoping that sounded reassuring to his daughter.


“You think he’s coming home?” Bree demanded. She had picked up on the lack of certainty in Justin’s statement.


“He will be home soon, Bree. He wasn’t sure how many days he needed in Los Angeles. He’ll let us know.”


“Can I talk to him the next time he calls?”


“Certainly, unless you’re at school.”


“Can you tell him I want to talk to him?” Bree requested.


“Sure, I’ll tell him.”


“Good.”


“Is there something specific you want to talk to him about?” Justin asked.


“I need to tell him that I love him and I miss him and I want him to come home soon. He’s been gone too long,” Bree said with a pout. “He should be here. It’s better when he’s here.”


“Yes, it is better when he’s here,” Justin said patting Bree’s blonde head. “I’m sure he misses you too, sweetheart.”


“He better.”


Justin chuckled. He’d be sure to tell Brian that the next time he called.


 


*****

 



John turned and looked at the gate to the lane as it opened. It should have been the school bus to pick up Bree and Patrick, but when John looked at his watch he realized it was about fifteen minutes too early for that. The kids hadn’t come down the lane yet.


As the car entered the lane, John groaned inwardly. It was Debbie and Carl – more people to check up on what he was building for Michael. John swallowed his anger and walked toward the open gate of the fence that surrounded the construction site. The car pulled off to the side of the lane in front of Emmett’s cottage. Carl and Debbie got out.


“You two are up early,” John called to them as they walked across the lane towards him.


“I used to get up before the sun when I was waiting tables,” Debbie declared. “This is like noon to me.”


John laughed out loud. You could always count on Debbie for a comeback, and a good one to boot. “Are you here to check if my work is up to snuff for your son?” John asked.


Debbie snorted. “I wouldn’t presume,” she said. “I know you do top quality work, and I’ve heard about the changes that have been requested.”


“And you have some changes of your own?” John asked.


“Fuck no!” Debbie declared. “I came to make sure that Michael isn’t taking advantage of Brian’s generosity. That boy has been known to get carried away.”


“No shit!” John reacted before he could stop himself.


Debbie let out a cackle as John looked sheepish. “This … log cabin isn’t getting too big, is it?”


“I’m adding a couple of bedrooms in the attic,” John said. “I expanded the foundation a bit to make an enclosed bedroom for Ben and Michael on the main floor.”


“That sounds good, doesn’t it, Carl,” Debbie said.


“Yeah, sounds about right,” Carl agreed.


“Did you want to see the plans?” John asked knowing that everybody else had wanted to see them.


“No thanks. What the fuck do I know about plans?” Debbie demanded. “I trust you, John Anderson, and I know you won’t let me down.”


“Thanks,” John said, and he meant that sincerely.


“Have the kids left for school?” Debbie asked. John shook his head. “Good, I want to see them before they go, and I plan to spend some time with Sunshine. I don’t want him pining away while that asshole brother of yours is away.”


John shook his head and grinned at her. He heard nothing but affection in Debbie’s well chosen words. “You better hurry,” John advised. “The bus should be here in about ten minutes.”


“I’m on it,” Debbie said. She and Carl hurried back to the car. They drove quickly up the lane while John shook his head and smiled.


 


*****

 



Tom and Beau quickly came to the edge of the stream. Tom stopped and looked up and down. John had told him the stream narrowed around here but it didn’t look all that narrow to Tom.


“Now what,” Tom mumbled to himself. Beau just stared up at his temporary master and charge. Tom walked down a few feet then back up the other way. Although the stream was relatively shallow, it was a good ten feet across.


“Oh well,” he murmured as he knelt down to undo his boot laces. Just as Tom was about to pry his foot out of one boot, Beau gave a little tug on his lead. Not used to having a pet, Tom wasn’t quite sure what it meant. He went back to fiddling with his boots when Beau tugged a little harder.


“Okay, I think you’re trying to tell me something but I’m not getting it, Beau. I’m sorry I’m not as smart as Bree. She seems to always know what you mean,” Tom apologized to the big dog.


“Woof!” came the response along with another tug on the leash.


“Why do I have an overwhelming need to ask if Timmy’s in the well?” Tom joked. Beau gave Tom an indulgent look then sat, waiting. “I get it, I’m an idiot. And you probably get that Timmy in the well thing a lot. Give me a minute to fix my boot and I’m all yours,” Tom told the dog. Beau patiently waited.


“Okay, lead on McRuff,” Tom said. He snorted, laughing at himself thinking he either lost his mind or was hanging around Brian too much or both. Beau stood and led the way further upstream. Ten minutes later they had come to a point in the stream where it was about three feet wide and there were many large flat stones that Tom could safely use as a bridge across.


“Well, duh!” Tom declared as he popped himself in the forehead then gingerly followed Beau across. “Thank you, Beau,” Tom said as he bent over to pat the dog’s head. “You are just as special as the rest of the people who live on this lane, aren’t you?” Beau agreed and gave Tom a lick to his cheek. Tom laughed then stood up.


“Where should we go now?” he asked, seemingly awaiting Beau’s response. Beau gave another tug. “You’re the boss; who am I to argue?” Tom dutifully followed.

 


*****

 


They had walked about forty-five minutes when they came to an old lean-to that had seen better days. “What is this?” Tom muttered as he examined the structure which was really just a few boards nailed together to comprise the walls and a few more that made a bit of a roof. “Maybe it’s what’s left of a hunter’s blind,” Tom speculated.


“It certainly hasn’t been used in years,” Tom observed. Suddenly getting a feeling of dread, Tom stopped walking and commanded Beau to sit. Beau sat, sensing that his charge was worried about something. “Don’t move, Beau,” Tom begged as he dropped the leash then gingerly walked back from where they approached the lean-to, following his same path in reverse. Near a tree, Tom found a fallen branch. Testing its strength against the ground, Tom used the branch as a walking stick and for making sure he and Beau weren’t about to step into an old trap. Tom walked back to Beau, picked up the leash and wound it around his hand a couple of times making sure Beau was at heel.


“Forgive me, boy. It would kill me if anything happened to you while you’re out here taking care of me,” Tom said to the dog. Beau gave a woof of understanding and the two of them slowly and carefully continued their exploration of the woods.


Sometime later, they came to a clearing, not unlike the clearing near the thinking rock by the Edna’s Treasures stream. The trees appeared to thin out, letting the sunlight filter down. A few stubborn wildflowers were still in bloom.


“Beautiful,” Tom stated as he looked around, testing the grass with his stick. Finding an outcropping of boulders, Tom took off his pack then sat with his back resting against the rocks. “I think this is a good place for lunch. What do you say, Beau?” Beau barked in agreement then lay down next to Tom. “Hmm, now let’s see what we have in here,” Tom said to himself as he opened his pack. He took out a sandwich for himself and a bottle of water. He also took out a small plastic bowl and another bottle of water. Tom poured the water in the bowl for Beau who stood to take his drink. Tom and Beau rested in the clearing, communing with the nature around them for the next hour.


 


*****

 



“What’s wrong with you?” Justin asked Bobby who had been pacing back and forth in the sun porch. Justin had been quietly painting a few more glass panels for the cabin. Bobby’s pacing was making Justin nervous.


“He’s been gone for hours,” Bobby muttered as he continued to pace the porch.


“Who?” Justin growled, slightly annoyed.


“Tom,” Bobby snapped.


“Where did he go?” Justin asked gently so not to aggravate Bobby further.


“Tom decided to go on a pilgrimage into the woods.”


“Bobby, we’ve been living here for years and I have never walked into the woods,” Justin exclaimed. “Is he alone?”


“Yes. No. He’s with Beau and John gave him a radio,” Bobby said as he pointed to the matching radio on his belt.


“Is he still in range?” Justin asked.


“Good question,” Bobby said as he removed the radio from his belt. “Tom, can you hear me?” Bobby asked as he depressed the button. He exchanged a worried look with Justin when he got no response. “Tom?” Bobby asked again, getting more worried.


“Give me that,” Justin demanded as he took the radio out of Bobby’s hand then walked out into the garden with Bobby following. “Father Tom, can you hear me?” Justin nearly shouted into the radio.


“Justin?” came a staticy reply. “Justin, is that you?”


“Yes,” Justin said very relieved. Bobby took the radio back.


“Tom, is everything all right? You’ve been gone a long time,” Bobby said.


“We’re fine. We’re just finishing up lunch,” they heard Tom say.


“Don’t you think it’s time to come back?” Bobby asked. Both he and Justin held their breath awaiting Tom’s reply.


“I guess so but I’d like to come back tomorrow,” Tom said with some conviction.


“Sure, but I think you’ve had enough for one day,” Bobby said knowing that he was stepping over a line.


“Perhaps, you’re right. I’ll consult my guide and get back to you,” they heard Tom say.


“Guide?” Justin whispered to Bobby. Bobby just shrugged his shoulders.


“You do that and we’ll see you later,” Bobby said into the radio. He heard a couple of clicks and then nothing.


“What the hell was that?” Justin asked.


“Not a fucking clue,” Bobby replied as he stared dumbfounded at the radio in his hand as if hoping it would reveal its secrets. “But the next time your partner decides to invite a guest to the lane, he better be around to babysit!” Bobby spat out then stomped out of the garden and towards the construction site.


Justin wisely said nothing as the fiery red-head stormed away.


 


*****

 



“I think I may have angered Bobby,” Tom said to Beau who just looked at Tom with soulful brown eyes. “Maybe he’s right, we should get back.” Tom looked at his watch, it was after three. He didn’t think he was out for that long or walked that far. They had just been going slowly. But it gave Tom time to think.


“You know, Beau, I’d like to come out here again tomorrow. Do you think you can come with me? I do feel a lot safer with you here,” Tom admitted. Beau graced Tom with a doggy smile then gave a bark.


“Okay, time to go.” Tom packed up his trash and Beau’s bowl then stood to look around. “Um, which way is home?” Tom asked out loud. Beau barked, wagging his tail and gave a little tug on his leash. “Oh, right, you’re the boss. But slowly and carefully, okay?” Tom said. Beau wagged his tail and then the two of them started back toward the lane.


 


*****

 



“You got a minute?” Bobby asked John who was reviewing the modified plans while sipping a cup of coffee.


“Yeah, sure,” John replied without looking up from the blueprints.


“John, that crazy priest is roaming the woods,” Bobby announced with exasperation.


“Yeah, and…? Isn’t that what he wanted to do? Take a walk in the woods. Beau’s with him and he has a radio. What kind of trouble do you think he’s going to get into out there?”


“I don’t know! Get eaten by a bear? Fall down a well? Get attacked by killer bees! How the hell should I know? I grew up in a small town and even I know you shouldn’t be traipsing through woods that you don’t know. He’s a city boy, what the fuck would he know if a wolf was going to attack,” Bobby exaggerated making John burst out laughing. John knew he made a mistake when Bobby’s face turned as red as his hair.


John coughed a few times, getting himself under control. “Bobby, in the first place, Beau would not let anything happen to Tom. Secondly, I know what’s out there. There are no wolves, bears or killer bees. And there’s no well. When Brian first brought me here to inspect what little there was of the cottage, I decided to get the land survey maps for a fifty mile radius around the lane. I was just curious. And then we started to expand, so the maps came in handy. Except for a few old hunter’s blinds and lean-tos, there’s really nothing out there.” John gingerly placed his hands on Bobby’s shoulders trying to calm him. “Tom will be fine,” John assured his spouse.


“You’re sure?” Bobby asked.


“I swear I wouldn’t send a city boy out into a hostile environment,” John said as he held up one hand in the air. Bobby nodded as he let all his anger dissipate.


“Killer bees?” John asked after a few minutes, straining to hold back his laughter. Bobby burst out laughing as did John. Still chuckling, Bobby leaned up to peck John’s mouth then walked back to the cottage.

 

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 11


 




“Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!” Bree yelled as she burst through the front door of Edna’s Treasures.


“Out here, sweetheart,” Justin called from the sun porch where he was still painting up a storm.


“Daddy, Daddy,” Bree gushed throwing herself into his arms, paint or no paint.


“What’s going on? What’s got you so excited?” Justin asked.


“Oh Daddy, my teacher said I can be the grade rep-re-sentative for the assembly at school. Isn’t that great?”


“Um, what does that mean exactly?” Justin asked, not at all clear about what Bree was trying to tell him.


“We’ve all been saying speeches about other countries and our summer vacations and I did Canada coz I went to Canada this summer and nobody else did and my teacher liked my speech and so did the other kids and they’re only picking one person for each grade to say their speech at the next school assembly and that’s me.” Bree’s face was covered in a huge smile as she finally took a breath.


“Wow!” Justin reacted with his own smile. “Why is this the first I’m hearing about this?”


“We had to do the speech ex-temp-aneously,” Bree said seriously. “I did mine a couple of days ago, but the teacher had to wait till everyone had done a speech.”


“Do you know what extemporaneously means?” Justin carefully pronounced the word so that Bree could get it right the next time she used it.


“Sure I do, Daddy. It means without preparation.”


“So what did you talk about?”


Bree heaved a sigh. “I told you – Canada,” she said impatiently.


“I got that,” Justin chuckled. “But what I want to know is what you said about Canada?”


“Do you want me to say my speech for you?” Bree asked.


Bobby and Patrick had appeared in the doorway of the sun porch and were listening to Bree’s enthusiastic description of the events of the day.


“Why don’t we get something to drink and maybe a snack for you and Patrick before we hear your speech,” Justin suggested.


“Hey, what about me?” Bobby interjected. “I could use a snack.”


Justin laughed. “Okay, big guy, you can have a snack too.” Bobby just grinned at him. “Come on, everyone, let’s see what we can find in the fridge.”


They all made their way into the kitchen where Justin checked the refrigerator and advised Bobby about potential snacks. Bobby made some crackers and cheese while Justin cleaned up. He was still covered with dabs of paint from his work in the sun porch. The children sat at the table with their glasses of juice while they waited for their snacks.


“Okay,” Justin said as he sat down and grabbed a piece of cheese. “Give us your speech, Bree.”


Bree cleared her throat, swallowed and took a drink of her juice. “I don’t have a memorized speech,” Bree explained. “I just talked about my trip to Toronto.”


“We know that, sweetheart,” Justin encouraged her. “So, tell us what you told your class.”


“Yeah, Bree, you can do it,” Patrick said.


Bree cleared her throat again then decided to stand up to present her speech. “This summer I went to Toronto with my parents,” she began. “I really liked Canada. I found that it is a lot like Pennsylvania. My Dada says that one big city is pretty much like any other. I would agree. And the people who live there are real nice, most of them. We met some very nice people like Mr. Rudolph, the maitre d’ at our hotel. The lady at Daddy’s art gallery was very helpful, and I liked her a lot once I got to know her. It was interesting how first impressions of people can be wrong. I didn’t like the art gallery lady at first, but she turned out to be great. I met a boy that I liked a lot and he turned out to be awful. You should get to know people before you judge them, because it’s easy to be wrong.


“We saw many good things in Canada. The CN Tower is very high and Niagara Falls is awesome. If you get the chance, you should visit Canada.”


Justin, Bobby and Patrick gave Bree a round of applause and she curtsied her thanks.


“That was a very perceptive speech,” Bobby said. “You are a very mature young lady.”


“Thanks, Uncle Bobby,” Bree said with a big smile.


“You made me want to go to Canada,” Patrick advised his cousin.


Bree smiled at him and nodded.


“That was a very unusual way to present your topic,” Justin said. Bree looked questioningly at her father. She had expected praise. “I thought you would have spent more time talking about what you saw, but you chose to talk more about the people you met.”


“I know, Daddy,” Bree said apprehensively. “They’re what I remember most. I could have talked about Mr. Waldon too. He treated me real nice.”


“I bet the fact that you talked about people and the similarities between our two countries is part of the reason you got chosen. Well done, Baby Girl,” Justin said.


Bree ran into his arms for a warm hug. “I’m glad you liked it, Daddy. I thought you didn’t like it … at first.”


“Don’t you know I like everything you do?” Justin asked with a big smile.


“I know, but if it’s not right, you tell me.”


“That’s true,” Justin agreed.


“But you really liked it?” Bree asked.


“I did.”


“Can we call Dada and tell him? Maybe he’ll be home before I have to say it at the assembly. Parents can come,” Bree said hopefully.


Justin looked at his watch. “It’s early afternoon in LA,” he said. “Brian might be in a meeting. We should wait a while.”


Bree’s face fell. “Okay,” she agreed reluctantly.


“Sit down and have your snack,” Justin advised. “We’ll call Dada tonight.”


“’Kay,” Bree said sitting back down and grabbing a piece of cheese and a cracker.


There was an uncomfortable silence as each of them thought about Brian so far away, and the call that couldn’t be made until later. They all knew Brian would be pleased for his daughter.


“Who’s the representative for these speeches from your grade, Patrick?” Bobby asked.


“Um…”


Bobby frowned. “It’s okay that it’s not you,” Bobby said trying to be encouraging. “I just wondered if we knew whoever it was.”


“You know him,” Patrick said with a grin. “It’s me!”


“You? But why didn’t you say anything?”


“Bree was so excited. I didn’t want to spoil it for her.”


“Oh, my Patrick!” Bree cried. “You should have told me. That’s great. Sorry I took all the attention.”


“That’s okay. I didn’t mind,” Patrick said with a warm smile for his cousin.


“What did you do your speech about?” Bobby asked. “We didn’t go anywhere this summer.”


“I talked about going to England. I loved all the architecture over there.”


“Just like your Dad.”


“Yeah,” Patrick smiled. “I talked about Salisbury Cathedral and Bath and Westminster Abbey and Big Ben. I loved all those buildings. And I ended by saying that I wanted to be an architect and build something memorable like Stonehenge.”


“That’s terrific, Patrick,” Bobby said pulling his son into a hug. “I’m very proud of you.”


“Thanks, Poppa.”


“I guess you didn’t mention my ‘Henge,” Justin supplied with a grin.


“No, Uncle Justin, I’m sorry I didn’t.”


“Don’t be sorry. I’m teasing.”


“Oh … good.”


“And I’m very proud of you too, Patrick. We’ll all have to be sure to be at that assembly,” Justin added.


“Can we call Dada now?” Bree asked.


“It’s only been ten minutes.”


“I want to talk to him,” Bree persisted.


“Okay, I’m sure he would want to hear all this good news,” Justin said pulling out his cell phone. He hit the speed dial and waited.


“Justin, what’s wrong?” Brian’s voice asked when he came on.


“Nothing’s wrong. We have some good news. If this isn’t a good time, we can call later.”


“I’m always available for good news,” Brian said. “Fuck the meeting!”


Justin laughed before saying,” I’ll let Bree tell you.” He handed the phone to his daughter.


Bree immediately launched into her enthusiastic account of what happened to her and to Patrick and how much she wanted her Dada to be there when she said her speech for the school. She barely managed to breathe and never gave her father a chance to interrupt until she was done.


“So can you come?” Bree finally asked.


“I always come. I promise to be home the day before your speech, Squirt.”


“Oh thank you, Dada.”


“I wouldn’t miss your speech for the world … or Patrick’s. Be sure to tell him that.”


“I will.”


“Love you, Squirt. I need to get back to my meeting. Tell Daddy I’ll call him tonight.”


“I will, Dada. Love you.”


Bree closed the connection and sat back in her chair with a satisfied smile. “He said he’d be here.”


“And Brian Kinney always keeps his promises,” Bobby said.


“And hallelujah that he does,” Justin added.


 


*****

 



Tom sat on the edge of the pond in the greenhouse contemplating life. It was early in the morning and he was packed for his trek back into the woods. There was something magical about the land beyond the little stream; it seemed to call to Tom. He was wondering if John would allow him to borrow Beau again when Todd entered the greenhouse.


"Good morning," Todd said with a smile as he approached the pond. "You're up early."


"I could say the same about you."


"I'm used to being up with the birds. Especially in the summer months, it makes sense to start out before the heat becomes too oppressive. Why are you up so early if you don't mind me asking?"


"Like you, I'm used to being up and about early. Early morning prayers, six o'clock mass, first confession; a priest usually gets up with the birds."


Todd nodded. "What's the backpack for? Planning on a trip?"


"As a matter of fact I am. I found a small glade in the woods just beyond the stream. I’m heading back out there. I was waiting for the noise to settle before asking John if I can take Beau with me. He came with me yesterday and did a great job of keeping me out of trouble," Tom said with a chuckle.


"Beau is a great dog," Todd agreed. "Waiting for the noise to settle?"


"The trucks. I'm waiting for the crew to calm down before I go to the site. John and the family have been very patient with me. I don't want to anger them or get in the way."


"I don't think you could ever get in the way," Todd assured Tom.


"Thank you for saying that." Tom gave Todd a handsome smile. Todd felt his insides twitch for a moment. Tom felt it too. He cleared his throat. "I guess I should get going," Tom declared as he picked up his pack.


"Would you like some company? Of the human kind," Todd said with a grin.


"I would like that very much, but am I taking you away from your work?"


"Not at all. Today I'm Todd, the boss who has a day off. To be honest I was hoping to spend the day with you. I'm still fairly new to the neighborhood and there really isn't anyone I'm close to in Pittsburgh. Pathetic, isn't it."


"No, you're not pathetic, just a hardworking man who has little time for socializing. You've been accepted into the family, haven't you?"


"Yes, Brian and his family have been very generous."


"But…?"


"But?"


"I thought I heard a 'but' in your statement."


"That's me, the butt of a joke." Todd had a pinched expression on his face. "A bad joke that never seems to go away."


"I don't think Brian and his family believe that, especially not Brian. If he did he wouldn't have placed his trust in you. If he didn't believe in you, he would have never allowed you to be a part of his family. You know how protective he is," Tom said as he gently lifted Todd's chin up so that he could look into the man's eyes.


Todd gave Tom a small smile.


"Come on," Tom began. "It's a beautiful day, let's not waste it." Todd's smile became brighter as he followed Tom out of the greenhouse toward the construction site.


"Good morning, gents!" John called out as Tom and Todd approached. "Can I buy you guys a cup of coffee?" John was standing by the snack truck along with several of his crew.


"Sure," Tom replied as he moved closer to the truck. The man in the truck handed down a couple of containers of the hot brew to Tom and Todd. "Thank you," Tom said as did Todd.


"You taking another trip into the woods?" John asked.


"Yes. Now that I know where I'm going, maybe it won't take me the whole day to get there. Todd's volunteered to come with me. But, um..." Tom's face became a little red.


"I think what Tom is trying not to say is that he was still hoping you'd allow Beau to go with us," Todd said with a chuckle and twinkle in his eyes.


John laughed. "Sure, I'll go get his leash," he said. John confirmed that Tom still had the radio and that it worked before he sprinted to his cottage for Beau.


Ten minutes later with additional provisions for Todd, he, Tom and Beau headed for the woods.


 


*****

 



“What is this?” Todd asked as they stood in front of the deteriorating lean-to.


“I’m not sure; maybe a part of an old cabin or a hunter’s blind. It looks pretty old,” Tom said as Todd gingerly walked around the tumble-down shack. “Come on, there’s more to see just through here.” Tom pointed the way. Todd followed.


“This is beautiful,” Todd exclaimed as he looked around the small glade that Tom had discovered the day before. “A perfect place to commune with nature and solve the mysteries of life,” Todd quipped.


“Maybe not all the mysteries of life, but it’s helped me put some things into perspective,” Tom confessed.


“You’ve made some decisions?”


“Yes, I think so. I’ve decided to take a year off.”


“A whole year? Can you afford to do that?”


“Yes. You have to remember that I live at the rectory. I do get a small stipend but I spend very little of it. It’s not like I need a new suit often. When I’m not in uniform, so to speak, I’m in jeans. I can afford the time off. Maybe I’ll take a correspondence course or take up writing.”


“Or painting. I’m sure Justin would give you pointers.”


“Maybe. Or maybe I could build a cabin,” Tom murmured to himself as he sat next to the boulder and stared off back toward the lean-to from where they had come.


“What? Tom, the guys wouldn’t mind you staying here for as long as you need to. Michael and Ben stayed at the big cottage for over six months. There’s no need to build anything.”


“Maybe I want to build something, need to build something. Do something with my hands.” Tom continued to stare off into the distance while Beau and Todd explored the glade.


“Tom, if this is something you need to do then I guess you should discuss it with the guys,” Todd said after a while. He squatted down in front of the man. “Speak with John when we get back and if it won’t compromise your solitary plans, I’d like to volunteer to help. When was the last time you picked up a hammer and nails? Or did any real manual labor?” Todd asked.


“I guess occasionally clearing a stopped up toilet in the rectory doesn’t count,” Tom said with a crooked smile.


“No, it doesn’t. Look, I do run the garden center. I have great people working for me; I’m there because I don’t have a life, so I work. I can take time off to help you build your little cabin in the woods. It won’t have indoor plumbing but if we install a potbelly stove it will be warm enough for you to spend some time out here. I really wouldn’t spend the night, at least not without John’s approval first.”


“Yeah, I guess it wouldn’t look good if I froze to death on their land,” Tom joked.


“Not funny. It does get cold out here in the winter,” Todd admonished Tom in a serious tone.


“Okay, I get it,” Tom said holding up his hands in surrender. “Do you think I’m crazy?”


“Not at all. Does it bother you that I’d like to help?” Todd asked pensively.


Tom gave him a serene smile. “I’d welcome your help. Maybe we’ll both find what we’re looking for.”


“Tom, um…”


“What?” Tom asked as he stared into Todd’s eyes. Todd sat in front of Tom and held out his hands. Tom placed his hands into Todd’s.


“May I kiss you? I mean, I won’t get struck with a lightning bolt if I kiss a priest, will I?”


“No, you won’t and I’m not a priest right now. I’m just Tom.”


“May I kiss you, Tom?” Todd whispered as he leaned closer.


“Please,” Tom whispered back. Todd carefully snaked one hand into Tom’s hair drawing him closer. He gently pressed his lips onto Tom’s. They exchanged a chaste kiss, sighing when they finally parted. They both laughed as they looked up at the clear blue sky. No lightning bolts.


“That felt nice,” Tom admitted, a little sorry for the loss of Todd’s lips against his.


“Yes, it did. I’d like to…I mean I wish…”


“I know, me too, but I think we should leave it for now,” Tom said as he stood then held his hand out for Todd.


“You’re right,” Todd said as he got up. “Let’s go have another look at that old lean-to. I have my phone with me. We can take a few pictures to show John.”


“Great idea,” Tom said as they gathered up their stuff then headed back toward the shack.


 


*****

 



“So let me get this straight,” Brian said into his phone as he stood in the check-in line at the airport.


All of his meetings went well at Perspectives; he and Joseph announced bonuses for the staff. So Brian decided it was time to go home. He booked the first available flight out which was a red-eye.


“Tom found some old shack out beyond the stream past the meadow. He and Todd want to turn it into a small cabin complete with a potbelly stove and an outhouse. Oh, and Tom is going to take a year off and spend it on the lane building said cabin,” Brian said reiterating what he was told by Justin.


“That just about sums it up,” Justin confirmed.


“Did Tom and Todd do the nasty?” Brian said with a slight sneer.


“Not that I’m aware of but I think something happened in the woods.”


“You know it’s not really such a bad thing if those two got together,” Brian said as he approached the ticket desk. “Hold on,” he said as he juggled his bag around to give his ticket to the steward.


“Justin, I have to go. I’ll call you in a few minutes after I go through security. They’re both good men; they both deserve some happiness.”


“You’re being ridiculously romantic again,” Justin said with a gentle chuckle.


“Yeah, well, Todd’s been though shit, and Tom, Tom’s a good friend. I don’t think God would mind if Tom fell in love.”


“Geez, Brian,” Justin said, a little shocked at Brian’s admission. “I miss you,” Justin admitted.


“Miss you too, Sunshine. But I’ll see you in the morning. Later.”


“Later,” Justin replied. He couldn’t wait for his husband to come home.

 

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 12


 





“How’s the painting going?” Bobby asked as he came into the sun porch.


“Pretty good,” Justin replied. He dropped his paint brush into a can of solvent. “I could use a break.”


“Coffee?” Bobby asked. Justin nodded.


Bobby headed for the kitchen on his side of the cottages. He started a pot brewing while he waited for Justin to clean up and join him.


When Justin came into the kitchen, he immediately flopped down in one of the chairs.


“You look tired,” Bobby observed as he poured coffee for both of them.


“I don’t sleep so well when Brian isn’t here,” Justin admitted.


“Nobody to wear you out?” Bobby asked with a grin.


“Yeah.”


“Has Brian landed yet?”


“Yeah, I had a call a while ago. Brian’s on his way out here.”


“That should make you happy.”


“It does.”


“Things are always more interesting when the big lug is around,” Bobby informed his brother-in-law.


“True, Brian does have a way of keeping everybody on their toes.”


“That’s putting it nicely,” Bobby laughed.


“I just hope…” Justin began but then hesitated.


“What?” Bobby asked with a frown. He took a sip of his coffee while he waited for Justin to answer.


“That everything’s okay between us. It seems like forever since Brian went away.”


“I’m sure you’ll pick right up where you left off,” Bobby tried to assure him.


“I hope so.”


“Listen, the kids are at school. I’ll make myself scarce. You two can fuck to your hearts content … until Bree comes home from school. Then she’ll want her Dada, so you better be prepared to let her have him.”


Justin chuckled. “Yeah, she’ll be so excited to see him.”


“That’s for sure.”


“What are you going to do while Brian and I … you know?”


“I’ll go to the general store and get provisions for a welcome home dinner for your hubby,” Bobby replied with a smirk worthy of Brian Kinney himself.


“You better not call him my hubby when he’s around,” Justin warned, but he grinned at Bobby.


“I value my head too much to do that.”


“Good, I’d like to keep him in a good mood.”


“Seeing you will put him in a fabulous mood,” Bobby assured Justin. Justin merely nodded and sipped his coffee. “Well, I’m outta here. Got shopping to do, and I’m sure you want to have a shower and make yourself presentable for your hubby.”


“You’re asking for trouble, Big Red,” Justin warned, using one of Brian’s common appellations for Bobby.


“Moi?” Bobby asked with mock horror.


“Yes, toi,” Justin retorted before throwing his spoon at Bobby’s form as it disappeared out the door.


 


*****

 



John heard the crunch of gravel on the lane. He turned to see Brian’s car come through the gate and head up the lane. He waved as Brian passed. Brian honked once but kept on going. John smiled knowing where Brian was heading and who he wanted to see. That was as it should be.


As Brian approached his cottage he laid on the horn, honking incessantly. He slid the car to a stop and stepped out. His warning horn blast had the desired effect as the door to Edna’s Treasures flew open and a blond whirlwind came barreling forth.


Brian stood and waited by the car. Justin ran towards him launching himself into the air, wrapping his legs around Brian’s hips and causing the man to step backwards from the force of the onslaught. Brian caught his husband as best he could, wrapping his arms tightly around his spouse and using all his strength to remain vertical. It was all a little dicey, but he managed to hold on, stay upright and claim Justin’s lips without having them both end up in a pile on the ground.


When the kiss finally ended, leaving them both breathless, Brian felt compelled to ask, “Miss me much?”


Justin grinned. “No, I greet all the traveling salesmen like this.”


Brian laughed out loud, so happy to be home and have Justin in his arms. “Liar,” he murmured as his lips found Justin’s once again.


“I love you so much,” Justin whispered when he found his voice once more.


“Backatcha.”


“Why are we still out here?” Justin asked.


“I thought this was some new strategy of yours to keep me interested,” Brian joked.


“Take me inside,” Justin ordered refusing to release his grip on Brian’s body.


“Yes, master,” Brian whispered as he carried his husband, legs still wrapped around him, into their home. He headed directly for the bedroom knowing what they both wanted and needed.


Brian kicked the door closed as he entered their bedroom. He walked to the bed where he finally dumped his treasured load that he had carried from the instant Justin had run into his arms.


“I missed you so much,” Justin stated looking up longingly at his husband who had already started removing his clothing.


“Why are you still dressed?” Brian asked with his patented Brian Kinney smirk, often imitated but never mastered by anyone else. He undid his jeans. “Get naked,” he ordered.


Justin grinned as he watched Brian for a minute longer, the long lean body coming into view as Brian removed his clothes. Justin had missed that body so much. He prayed that Brian had missed him equally.


“You look tired,” Justin observed as he continued to study his husband.


“I just got off a fucking red eye,” Brian retorted.


“Yeah, right,” Justin said pulling his T-shirt over his head.


“And I don’t sleep well without you beside me,” Brian added deciding to be totally honest.


“No one to wear you out before bedtime?” Justin asked, knowing the likely answer but wanting Brian’s reassurance.


“No one but you, and you weren’t there.”


“I’m here now,” Justin stated peeling off his underwear.


They were both naked staring at the body of their partner, so familiar yet so long denied to them. They were both already aroused. Apparently absence did make the heart grow fonder and the dick harder.


Brian walked towards Justin where he stood by the bed. He wrapped his arms around his husband pulling him against his body. His hands explored his lover’s back and that magnificent butt. He squeezed and teased. His nose nuzzled Justin’s hair smelling the citrus scented shampoo that Justin liked. Brian let out a groan of need and contentment and love.


“I missed you so fucking much,” Brian whispered.


“Show me how much,” Justin begged.


Brian leaned forward tumbling them onto the bed. He kissed Justin, crushing their lips together, never wanting to be parted from his mate again. His body covered Justin’s. Again, as always, he marveled at how perfectly they fit together despite the difference in their statures. They were made for each other.


Brian poured all his feelings and need into the kiss as he continued it, his tongue probing, exploring and ravaging Justin’s mouth. Everything was the same but more intense and more important since their separation. Brian rutted against his husband letting him know what was to come.


Brian reached for the lube and prepared both of them. He looked into Justin’s eyes waiting for his approval. Justin nodded and Brian drove his cock in. Justin cried out and held onto Brian’s arms so tight he thought his fingers might penetrate the flesh. Brian stopped, waiting for Justin to adjust.


“How can you still feel so tight and so good after all these years?” Brian whispered.


“Because we’re made for each other,” was Justin’s simple response. He pressed his hips up indicating that Brian should continue.


The ride was slow and sweet to start with, but it became hard and deep and so meaningful as time went on. Brian mustered all his years of experience to make this time together the most special he could imagine. They both collapsed into oblivion at the end of it.


Justin, once he regained his senses, would tell Brian that he would always remember this oh so special time with his husband.


 


*****

 



“So do you think they’ll ever come up for air?” Bobby asked John when the construction crew broke for an afternoon break. The weather had turned a little nasty so John and Gordon called for a halt until the storm either passed or they decided if they should quit for the day. For now, everyone was hovering in the B&B cottage. Tom was enjoying playing host since his daily trek to the lean-to and his hidden glade was also put off due to the storm.


“I doubt it. Brian’s been gone for weeks. He and his little Mary Sunshine have a lot of missed loving to make up for,” John quipped. “Perhaps this might be a good day to take the kids to my mother’s for dinner.” Bobby agreed.


“But how do we convince the princess to give her fathers a little time to themselves?”


“By being honest about it; Bree will understand. Speaking about the kids, when’s that special assembly scheduled; isn’t it this week?”


“Next Friday,” Bobby replied.


“Next Friday? Why did the school postpone it?” John thought it was going to be this Friday.


“Well, it seems that a few children requested that the assembly be shoved back a week to ensure that all the parents had an opportunity to rearrange schedules so that they could make it,” Bobby pronounced with a smirk.


“And I take it the principal agreed to the request?” John asked with a grin.


“Oh, yes. The principal was very happy to comply. Apparently the children were most convincing,” Bobby said barely containing his laugh. “It also helped that one of the parents is a major financial contributor to the school district, another parent actually built the school and another devised the school bus route and donated the school buses.”


“Not to mention that another parent is on the school board,” John said with a raised eyebrow.


“No mention of that at all,” Bobby laughed.


“Ah, no pressure then?” John laughed.


“None whatsoever. And before you get your very high moral knickers in a bunch, I did speak with the principal. He assured me that it was a very good suggestion. A lot of kids really wanted their parents to make it. Our kids aren’t the only stars of the show. It’s still early in the school year and the board wants to encourage more participation. They’re considering expanding some programs for the lower grades and setting up interning programs for the high school kids.”


“I guess not all kids are cut out to be farmers,” John said as he got himself a cup of coffee and took a look out a window. The rain gave no sign of letting up anytime soon.


“No, they’re not. Look at Hunter’s Dr. Nick for a good example. His family’s been farming for generations but Nick heard a different calling,” Bobby said as he helped himself to coffee as well.


“Speaking about a different calling,” John whispered, looking above his coffee cup to glance at Tom who was chatting with some of the crew and taking suggestions about his own ‘project.’


“Too early to tell,” Bobby whispered back.


“Maybe now that Brian’s back, he can make sense of it. For now we should just leave it alone.” Bobby nodded in agreement as Gordon came over to speak with John.


“It’s gone past two and the rain’s not letting up,” Gordon stated. “What’s the word, boss?” Gordon asked, looking at John.


“The word is done; we’re done for the day. It’s not like we’re on a deadline and I’m not going to risk the safety of the men. There’s no reason for them to be slipping and sliding in the mud for a vacation home. Let’s call it quits and we’ll make an early start in the morning,” John declared. Gordon seconded the decision. “Call my mother and give her the heads up,” John said to Bobby just before he and Gordon spoke with the crew.


 


*****

 



Brian stretched his long frame, loving the feel of his own sheets against his skin on his own bed. He turned his head; Justin was out cold. They must have ‘done it’ about ten times since they hit the bed. They had gotten up a couple of times to shower and change the sheets before going at it again. Brian smirked as he took a peek at his organ which was taking a well deserved rest. No little blue pill for him, not yet anyway.


He carefully got out of bed although Brian was convinced that nothing short of an explosion could wake his spouse. That was fine with Brian; he knew Justin couldn’t sleep well when they were apart for too long. The truth be known, Brian felt the same way. Brian snorted to himself as he threw on his jeans and quietly left their bedroom. The man who was convinced he’d never make it in a relationship now couldn’t sleep well without his mate. Brian smiled as he padded barefoot into his kitchen in a desperate search for coffee.


“Hey,” Brian said as John and Bobby came through his front door. The boys greeted each other with hugs and back slaps.


“Didn’t think you’d ever come out of your room,” Bobby teased as John quickly made his way toward his end of the cottage to change his clothes.


“Believe me if I didn’t need coffee I’d still be in there. Justin’s asleep. I was going to ask if one of you or Rachel could see to Bree for a while.”


“Already taken care of. We’re going to get them at school then take them to Claire’s for dinner. We’ll tell Bree that her daddies need a little alone time but we’ll come right back home after the apple pie so that she can have the rest of the evening with you.”


“I knew there was a reason I like you, Big Red,” Brian snarked, getting a rude gesture in response. Brian and Bobby laughed. “Thank you, for everything. I know this trip was a bit spur of the moment but it was worth it. I’m thinking I should make this an annual event. Maybe take Justin with me, or Gus.”


“You’re grooming Gus to take over the firm; it’ll be good experience for him. Introduce him to your big clients. Good move,” Bobby approved.


“I’m hoping Gus will think so,” Brian said with a far off look in his eyes.


“He will. Gus is maturing, I can see it. He wants to follow in your footsteps; he wants Kinnetik.”


“Yeah, but he also wants Ray, and Ray wants to take over his family business. I’m not sure if they want to keep on doing a long distance relationship. And Gus wants the loft; he’s earned it,” Brian murmured.


“This doesn’t have to be solved now,” Bobby assured Brian. “Right now all you need to concentrate on is Justin,” Bobby said with an all knowing grin. John walked into the kitchen.


“We should get going,” John said, giving his brother a pat on the back. Brian smiled as he watched the guys leave the cottage.


Standing in the middle of the kitchen, Brian deeply inhaled then exhaled loudly. Not only was his trip long and busy, it was also noisy and filled with unfamiliar smells. It made Brian appreciate his little cottage on his lane all the more. Brian shook himself then looked around his pristine kitchen. He had come to a decision. He took a large tray off a high shelf then started to prepare some snacks for himself and Justin. Filling a carafe with fresh coffee and placing a coffee service on the tray, then the tray on a serving cart, Brian was ready to surprise his spouse.


“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian murmured softly as Justin stirred on the bed.


“Hey,” Justin replied with a soft smile as he scrubbed the sleep from his eyes. “What’s this?”


“This is me making like a waiter to serve my number one patron,” Brian said with a goofy grin making Justin’s heart melt.


“I love you,” Justin purred.


“I love you too, Sunshine, besides, I have to keep the furnace stoked,” Brian said with an added smirk. Justin giggled as he sat up, fluffing up their pillows so that they could share the feast between them.


“Bree!” Justin shouted as he put down his coffee.


“Relax, all taken care of,” Brian assured him. “The guys are picking up the kids and taking them to Claire’s for dinner. They’ll be back in plenty of time for bedtime stories.”


“Thank goodness.”


“Thank Bobby and John. Speaking of John, I caught a glimpse of the new cabin.”


“You mean through the dust you kicked up as you sped up the lane to get to me?”


“A bit full of yourself, eh, Sunshine?” Brian smirked.


Justin leaned over to kiss the smirk he missed so much. “I was full of you a little while ago,” Justin remarked against Brian’s lips.


“Mmm, maybe I can be full of you after our snack,” Brian whispered as he nibbled on Justin’s lips. Justin gave Brian a Sunshine smile just before they returned to their snack.


“How was your trip?” Justin asked making conversation.


“Very successful.”


“You thinking of doing it yearly?”


“I am,” Brian smiled. “Great minds think alike.” Brian smiled at Justin. “I said the same thing to Bobby just before they left to get the kids. Maybe take Gus with me when he’s finished with college. And you too if you want to go.”


“It’ll be a great opportunity for Gus. I think if you do this annually then the most logical person to take with you is Gus.”


“Thank you, Mr. Spock, but you’re right. I’ll approach Gus over the holidays. Now tell me what’s been going on around here? John’s finally got a handle on that monstrosity he’s building.”


“It’s not that bad. John’s had a rough time with all the interference from our concerned family but I think he’s on the right track now.”


“I know he is,” Brian said as he pulled the younger man toward him and tucked him under his arm. It felt good to hold Justin and talk like normal people while the cottage and the lane were quiet. “What about our wayward priest? Has he been behaving himself?” Brian asked as he pressed a kiss to the top of the blond head.


“I guess so. I really haven’t seen all that much of him. It’s been John and Bobby that he’s been talking to, and Todd, of course.”


“Of course. I’ll check in with Tom tomorrow after the kids go to school. Speaking about school, when’s that special assembly I heard so much about?”


“Next Friday.”


“Then I will make sure it’s on my calendar and work from home. I don’t want to risk being in the Pitts and not making it home in time.”


“You’re a good dad,” Justin said as he looked up into Brian’s eyes.


“I learned from the master,” Brian said as he gave his master a kiss on the lips. The kiss went on until they were overwhelmed with their need for each other.


“We better move the tray,” Justin suggested as they broke apart.


“Ever the practical one,” Brian said with a sigh. With that, Brian lifted up the tray and placed it back on the cart. “I’ll deal with this later,” Brian added as he slipped back into their bed. “We have more important matters to deal with.”


“We do?” Justin said looking all wide-eyed and innocent.


“Yes, we do,” Brian agreed as he waved a tube of lube in the air. Justin burst into a brilliant Sunshine smile as he took the tube from his mate.


“Yee haw!” Justin shouted as he pounced.


 


*****

 



“Can you drive faster, Uncle John?” Bree begged.


“Not if you want us to get there safe and sound and without a speeding ticket, I can’t,” John replied sternly.


“It’s okay, Bree, we’re almost home,” Patrick reassured his best friend. Patrick recognized the stretch of road they were on and knew the turn off for their lane was coming up soon. The road was still slick from the storm they had earlier in the day and John wasn’t taking any chances no matter how anxious Briana was to see her Dada. John would never forgive himself if something happened to his family while in his charge.


“Look!” Patrick said, pointing to the general store. Bree smiled broadly knowing that they were very, very close to home.


Within minutes, John’s Navigator slowed down so he could hit the code for the gate release. He carefully drove the big car through the gate and up the lane past all the construction equipment. John shared a look with Bobby as John spied Bree through the rearview mirror. The petite blond was literally bouncing in her seat.


John maneuvered the SUV up the driveway and close to the side door. As soon as they were parked Patrick opened the door and quickly hopped out. He stood aside so not to be barreled over by Bree. She hit the pavement running as she threw open the side door to the cottage that led them through the mud room and into the kitchen.


“Dada! Dada! Dada!” Bree screeched as she ran into the kitchen where Brian and Justin were making a fresh pot of coffee and putting water in the kettle for tea. They had been given the heads up by Claire that the guys were on their way home with one anxious and happy little girl and a couple of homemade apple pies. Justin had taken out a tub of vanilla ice cream to soften for pie a la mode.


“Hey, Squirt,” Brian said as he steadied himself for the second time that day as another blond whirlwind launched herself into his arms.

 

Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 13


 





When Brian got out of bed the next morning, his world was very quiet. He had spent a lovely evening with Bree reviewing Bree business and Kinnetik business. As much as Brian wanted to hear all about her and her school projects, Bree wanted to know all about the latest campaigns and Brian’s trip. It made for a strange but interesting conversation. No one in the cabin was going to argue with them, let alone interfere with father and daughter.


Brian quickly showered and brushed, noting that his own internal clock had indeed awakened him in plenty of time to make breakfast for the household. He quietly went about his business until alarm clocks and the aroma of wholewheat pancakes and turkey sausage brought everyone into his kitchen.


“Orders up!” Brian announced, slapping the counter as the men headed for the coffee and the kids for the milk and juice.


“Is the bus picking up the kids?” Brian asked no one in particular.


“I’m taking them,” Bobby announced already dressed to the nines for a meeting. “It’s easier than having the bus try to go around a bulldozer or some other truck.” Brian nodded. There were a lot of big vehicles still parked on the lane. Brian had intentions of doing a little inspection of the new cabin later on. John arched an eyebrow and nodded to Brian as if reading his brother’s mind.


When bellies were full and kisses and goodbyes all doled out, the cottage was once again quiet. The kids went with Bobby. Justin followed John out so they could consult about the paintings Justin wanted to do in the cabin. Brian sipped one more cup of coffee as he cleaned up the dishes and pans, deciding on his course of action.


 


*****

 



Stepping out of the sun porch door and into his garden, Brian surveyed his kingdom. He noted that all the summer annuals were gone, replaced by colorful fall mums. Todd had been busy. Brian smirked, the kid was good. Not so much a kid; Todd was younger than Brian but older than Justin, barely. But he did know landscaping. Brian’s garden was pristine, the hedges trimmed and not a leaf out of place. He inhaled the crisp morning air then sauntered through his garden and arbor covered path to the greenhouse.


Warm moist air first assaulted Brian’s senses, closely followed by the fragrance of hundreds of blooming flowers. Brian had missed his home, his oasis in the middle of the world. He was okay with being the head of a multimillion dollar empire as long as he had his family, and this, to come home to. Brian slowly walked around, gently caressing blossoms and noting which plants needed watering or dividing. He eventually came to one of his most favorite places in his garden, the koi pond. A tribute to John’s engineering and ingenuity, the cascading waterfall of the pond never ceased being a fascination for Brian. He sat on the edge of the pond watching the fish leisurely swimming in their blissful environment.


“Good morning,” Tom said gently as he approached Brian and the pond. Brian stood up, beaming a smile as he drew Tom into a bear hug, patting the shorter man on the back.


Not expecting such an enthusiastic greeting, Tom blushed. “How was your trip?” Tom asked when he recovered his wits.


“Not half as exciting as yours seems to have been so far,” Brian stated with an arch of his brow.


Tom’s blush deepened. “What have you heard?”


“Not much other than my second favorite gardener has been spending a hell of a lot of time on the lane lately.”


“Second favorite?”


“Bree’s the first,” Brian said with pride. “And apparently you’ve found God in a shack in the woods beyond the stream somewhere,” Brian blasphemed.


“I found God a long time ago,” Tom sternly corrected. Brian held his hands up in surrender. “But I’m beginning to hear a different calling,” Tom admitted with a soft sigh.


“Not different,” Brian began softly. “Just slightly modified.” Tom looked up at Brian with a start. “I can’t believe that your God would be that angry with you just because you may have found a companion and a different way of doing his work.”


“He’s your God too,” Tom admonished.


“Maybe, but the church has been your life and you’re needlessly beating yourself up for thinking about leaving it. And you’re not leaving it, just finding a different way of serving it,” Brian said.


“Since when have you come to these revelations?” Tom was amazed how alike the brothers were in their thinking.


“Since the minute you took that ride with me in my limo. Look, I’m the last one to judge you. The world is not going to stop if you decide to leave the Catholic Church to serve God in another Christian church. There are many others out there that will invite you in with open arms and not only allow you to serve God but to serve yourself by being honest with yourself. How many gay kids are out there painfully trying to reconcile their religious beliefs with their sexuality? They could use a role model.”


“You never had that trouble,” Tom said.


“I was always a hedonistic selfish heathen serving different gods. You should know that.” Brian gave Tom a look. The priest proceeded to blush all over again.


“Pan, Eros and Bacchus?”


“To name a few. The point is that you have options and time to make them. You’re a man, not just a priest. A man with deep feelings; there’s nothing wrong with letting those feelings out. And sharing those feelings.”


“You mean with Todd.”


“Todd or anyone else.”


“Is that an offer?”


“No, not if I want to keep my one real ball, besides...”


“Forget I asked, it was a stupid thoughtless question. I of all people know how devoted you are to Justin. You’ve taken your vows seriously. I wish I could.” Brian placed a comforting hand on Tom’s shoulder.


“Do we have to solve this right now?” Brian asked softly.


“No, I don’t think so.”


“It’s a nice day, why don’t you show me your love shack,” Brian teased.


“You’re incorrigible,” Tom said as he swiped the tears from his eyes.


“So I’ve been told,” Brian snarked, reining in their wayward emotions and lifting the mood as he followed Tom out of the greenhouse.


 


*****

 



“What made you come out here?” Brian asked Tom as they crossed the stream at the narrowed section that Beau had showed Tom.


“I don’t really know. Careful, it’s a little slippery,” Tom warned as he balanced on a rock. “One day the woods called to me. I don’t know why, I’m really a city boy at heart. I just had an urge to find out what was out here. Haven’t you ever gone out exploring?”


“Not really. When Jenn found the lane and the cottage, I was more concerned about getting it renovated for Justin. Then we joined the cottages and then kids. I’ve been a little busy.”


“I suppose you have. Maybe you need to get away for a while.”


“No thanks. It seems that’s all I’ve been doing lately, is getting away. I just want to stay home for a while.”


“And what does that mean?” Tom asked. They had crossed the stream and were approaching the old lean-to.


“That means I give Cynthia and Ted a break and work from home.”


“Ah, yes, I hear your bellow is very far reaching.”


“You’re a riot, Alice,” Brian snorted. “So this is it, home sweet home,” Brian said as he gave the lean-to a poke. A few boards broke loose and crumbled to the ground. “Nice.”


“I know it’s nothing to look at now but John said he’ll level the land and donate the materials,” Tom said as he bent over to pick up a board. “Maybe I’ll make this into a welcome sign,” Tom said with enthusiasm. Brian just shook his head.


“You going to build your retreat by yourself?” Brian asked.


“Todd said he’ll...”


“Uh huh,” Brian smirked.


“He volunteered to help me.”


“I’m sure he did.”


“Brian...”


“Hey, not judging here,” Brian quickly added, pointing to himself. “He can use a break from work too. I don’t think he’s taken a vacation since we started the garden center. Tom, I’m on your side. Gerry was a good man but he wasn’t ready to give up the city, and Todd had just found the country. It wasn’t going to work unless one of them made a big a sacrifice and neither of them was ready to do that. It wasn’t a bad thing, just a case of bad timing. This family will always be grateful to Gerry and his skills. We can’t thank him enough for what he did for Michael and for Ben, but he’s gone and Todd’s got to move on.”


Tom nodded. Todd missed Gerry but it was over.


“So tell me what you’re going to do with this plot of land?” Brian asked before things became too morose.


As Tom was about to answer, he swung around to take hold of Brian’s arms. “I did ask John’s permission but I haven’t formally asked you. Do you have any objections about me making this piece of land into a retreat, as you call it? I’m more than happy to stay in the B&B for as long as you’ll allow me.”


“Go for it, Padre,” Brian said with a gleam in his eyes. Tom braced himself for Brian Kinney snark. “Just don’t scare the horses as you close your eyes and think of England,” Brian said with a straight face, until Tom burst out laughing.


“That was so bad,” Tom declared.


“Yeah, well, I’m still jet-lagged. So show me the glade that’s got you all hot and bothered,” Brian demanded. Tom smiled then turned to lead the way. “I never knew this was out here,” Brian said as he looked around the small but picturesque area.


“Beau was with me; he seems to like it,” Tom said.


“If Beau approves, that’s good enough for me,” Brian agreed as he leaned against a boulder. “I can see why you’d want to spend time out here, it’s like you’re in a whole other world.”


“Yes, it is,” Tom said wistfully.


“Just remember to come back to reality every once in a while,” Brian warned.


“I promise. I know the difference between running from your problems and taking the time out to figure them out,” Tom stated emphatically.


“Good, just as long as it stays that way you can spend as much time out here and on the lane as you like. So how did you get Todd to go along with Tom’s folly?” Brian inquired.


Tom ignored the snipe. “I think he wants to keep me out of trouble. He’s not sure that I have any skills with hand tools.”


“I’m not sure either, unless you have some hidden talents that I’m not aware of,” Brian said honestly. “I’m not the construction type myself in spite of the treehouse we built. If it wasn’t for John, it would have never been built.” Brian smiled with the pleasant memories.


“It was magical. Did you ever think to bring it here? Find the right tree and move the treehouse to where the kids could have fun with it. Bree and Patrick aren’t too old yet.”


“Hmm,” Brian mumbled, scratching his head. “I think we briefly mentioned it but it never went anywhere. You’re right; the kids aren’t too old to play in it. Patrick’s getting too old for the Wendy house. I bet he’d love to camp out in the treehouse with his friends. I’ll talk to John when we get back to the lane. So tell me, are you planning a Taj Mahal too or something a bit more sedate,” Brian teased as they walked back to the shack.


“Very sedate, I promise,” Tom said holding up his hand in a vow. “It won’t even have indoor plumbing.” At that Brian made a face then burst into laughter. At Tom’s curious look, Brian explained when as a little boy, Gus wanted them all to pee through the railing of the treehouse.


“And of course, you all did it.”


“Of course we did! It was a bonding moment,” Brian said sounding very domesticated. Tom smiled as he patted his friend’s back. “So what are you going to do for facilities?” Brian asked, making quotes in the air at the word facilities. “I’d hate to have run all the way back to the cottage just to take a whiz,” Brian said, ever the tactful one.


“Not sure, maybe an outhouse of some sort. I’m sure John will have a suggestion.”


“No doubt. Speaking about John, I better get back. I want to take a closer look at the log cabin. Are you ready to go back or do you want to stay out here a little while longer?”


“I’ll stay, if you don’t mind,” Tom replied with a small smile.


“I don’t mind. I’ll see you later, and come for dinner tonight. Maybe I’ll grill,” Brian said over his shoulder as he left Tom to ponder life.


 


*****

 



Brian thanked his good sense of direction and the fact that the path Tom had been using to go back and forth was becoming more obvious with each use. Once Brian reached the stream, he was literally out of the woods. Within a few minutes he was standing on the lane getting a coffee from the snack truck.


“Hey,” John greeted Brian. “Where have you been?”


“Taking a hike in the woods with the good friar,” Brian replied as he sipped a surprisingly good cup of coffee. “He’s really serious about setting up shop out there.”


“Within reason. It’s only going to have four walls and a roof.”


“What about windows and a door?”


“Door yes, no glass windows, just old fashioned shutters. I have an old potbelly stove I can install so he can make tea or soup and to keep the place warmer than outdoors, but that’s about it. I don’t recommend he stays out there overnight. Not alone and certainly not in the dead of winter. I won’t be the one to explain to his bishop why his priest turned into a popsicle,” John stated.


“You and me both, big bro,” Brian said as his eyes narrowed. He scanned the lane and the construction site.


“What’s wrong?” John asked.


“No Todd, no little Mary Sunshine and the cabin is looking waaay cool.”


“I think Todd is hiding from you; Justin’s inside taking measurements, doing his artist thing, and thank you. Once I finalized the plans, the cabin went up very quickly. The outer perimeter wall we discussed is moving along very rapidly as well. We have to skirt around a tree or two but basically it’s a straight line up the hill past Rachel and George’s house.”


“Good. Can I see the plans for the front yard?”


“You thinking of doing some landscaping?” John said with a smirk that looked a lot like Brian’s.


“Not me personally; I’ll give the job to Todd. You just say the word and I’ll have him and his guys attack.”


“What are you thinking of? Lawn? Flower garden?”


Brian snorted. “No. Michael has a tough enough time with that little patch of weeds he calls a lawn in the Pitts. And neither he nor Ben have a green thumb between them. If you can leave me a good supply of the smaller rocks, I’m thinking of a rock garden with a variety of perennial green plants and low shrubs and a gravel path up to the door between the two halves of the rock garden. This side of the lane is too close to the trees, not enough light for flowers but the hostas will love it and they don’t need much care. If we don’t put anything down before winter this place will be a mud pit.”


“I agree. I’ll leave it up to you and Todd. You ready to see inside?” John asked.


“Yes,” Brian said eagerly. They finished off their coffees then John proceeded to give Brian the guided tour of the latest cottage, correction, cabin on the lane.


“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian said when he found Justin taping up a set of small sketches to a large round window at one end of the loft floor. There was another set of sketches on the other round window at the opposite end of the loft wing. Brian gave Justin a discreet peck to the side of his head.


“Hey. Did you see Tom?”


“Yeah, he was giving me a tour of his new homestead.”


“What do you think about his idea of his own little cabin?”


“I think he’s nuts but then it’s not my whole belief system at stake here,” Brian said as he leaned up against the wall. He turned and stared at the wall, then ran his hand across it. He gave Justin a perplexed look which made Justin laugh.


“Just because the outside of the house is made of logs and stone doesn’t mean the inside is. The walls are insulated, there’s even a small furnace, baseboard heating and a hot water heater. All the comforts of home,” Justin explained nonchalantly. Brian stared nonplussed then nodded.


“Far more than Tom’s little hovel will have but I guess that’s the point,” Brian commented. “He probably thinks he has to atone for his sins.”


“Whereas Brian Kinney doesn’t do atonement,” Justin said as he sidled into Brian’s arms.


“No apologies, no regrets,” Brian murmured as he leaned down to kiss Justin’s lips. “Are you done here?” Brian whispered against Justin’s lips. Justin smiled as he nodded yes. “Let’s go home. We have a whole cottage to ourselves until the kids come home.”


“What did you have in mind, Mr. Kinney?”


“I think I should review that resume of yours, Taylor. Kinnetik has a certain reputation to uphold. We can’t hire just any Tom, Dick or Justin.”


“I’ve heard about your reputation, Mr. Kinney. You have a habit of fucking your interns.”


“Maybe a very long time ago.”


“And now?”


“I only fuck the intern that I’m married to,” Brian said with a grin as he tossed his arm over Justin’s shoulder. They left the cabin and strolled up the lane toward their cottage.


 


*****

 



“I bet Brian’s pissed at me,” Todd said as shuffled up the lane with Tom.


“He’s no such thing,” Tom assured him.


“Does he know you invited me to dinner?”


“Yes, as does the whole family. Brian decided to take advantage of the warm evening to grill, so offer to help. He also mentioned something about discussing the landscaping for the new cabin with you.”


“I’m sure he’ll have his own ideas,” Todd grumbled.


“Of course he will; this is his home,” Tom retorted impatiently. He stopped, took a breath then apologized. “I’m sorry, that was uncalled for.”


“No, I’m sorry. I’m just being a coward. I’ve done nothing wrong.”


“No you haven’t and neither have I. Brian and I had a long talk this morning, and believe it or not, he approves of us. He sees nothing wrong with me changing careers, for lack of a better term, so that I could take a companion,” Tom said.


“Take a companion?” Todd asked. The expression sounded a bit archaic. He stopped in the road to look at Tom.


“Have a boyfriend,” Tom said with a shrug of his shoulders.


“Oh. So he’s cool with us. I mean a potential us.”


“Yes,” Tom said with a coy smile.


“Okay,” Todd murmured with his own shy smile. “Cool.”


“Yeah, very cool. Come on,” Tom said as they walked up the path around the cottage toward the yard. “Hello?” Tom called out.


“Come on back!” John called out in reply.


As they came around the cottage Tom and Todd noticed the yard was abuzz with Brian grilling and the family enjoying each other’s company. Rachel and George were also in the yard. Everyone was pitching in to get dinner on the table. They decided to eat inside to escape any late season mosquitoes but the lane family was happily enjoying the evening.


“Beer?” George asked as he waved two cold bottles in the air.


“Sure, I’m not driving,” Tom quipped.


“One won’t hurt,” Todd added.


“Besides he can always stay over,” Brian whispered into Justin’s ear. Justin was holding a platter while Brian piled it high with grilled steak and chicken.


“Behave,” Justin growled at his incorrigible spouse. Brian gave Justin an innocent smile. Justin gave Brian a pinch.


The table was set and laden with food. The family moved into the porch to sit down for dinner.


“Brian, John,” Tom began as he looked round the table, “Bobby, Justin, if it’s all right with you, I’d like to say grace.”


“By all means,” John answered for the family before Brian could open his mouth.


Tom stood, looked around the room and smiled. “May we be grateful for the bounty before us and for the blessing of good friends. Amen.”


“Amen,” was echoed around the room.


“Dig in,” Brian commanded. As the plates, platters and bowls went around the table, Brian caught Tom’s eye and smiled.


 


*****

 



“So you like the idea?” Brian asked Todd.


Dinner was a pleasant affair. And after the kids went to bed and Rachel and George went home, the guys sat down to talk gardens.


“I think it’s a great idea. It’ll pick up the theme from the gate and the cabin. A rock garden will fit right in.” Todd totally agreed with Brian’s idea. “And you’re right, that part of the lane is a lot shadier than the rest. Some evergreens, deep maroon leafy plants and low shrubs will look good as well as being very low maintenance.”


“I thought so too. When do you think you can start?” Brian asked Todd.


“I’ll check with John in the morning. He looked tired,” Todd observed. John had retired early.


“He’s an old man,” Brian teased. “But he’s up with the birds and works very hard,” Brian quickly added.


“Yes, he does,” Todd agreed. Brian stuck his hand out to shake Todd’s hand. Todd took it, returning the firm grip.


“Go walk our Tom home,” Brian said to Todd.


“Yes, sir,” Todd replied then bid Bobby a good night. He caught up to Tom who was in the kitchen talking to Justin. “Tom, may I escort you home?” Todd asked as he held out his elbow.


“Yes, you may,” Tom answered with a smile. “Good night, and thank you for a wonderful evening,” Tom said to Brian and Justin as he linked his arm with Todd’s and they walked out the door.


Brian and Justin locked up their end of the cottage and the porch, making sure everything was all secure. Their home was quiet once more.


“May I have the honor of escorting you home, Sunshine?” Brian asked giving Justin a bright smile and holding up his elbow.


“The honor is all mine,” Justin replied giving Brian a blinding smile in return as he linked his arm with Brian’s. Arm and arm they walked down the hall and into their bedroom.


All was right on the lane.

 

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Little Cabin on the Lane


Chapter 14


 





Brian pulled the Corvette into one of the last spaces left in the school parking lot.


“I told you we needed to get here early or we’d have to walk a mile down the road,” Justin said smugly.


“We paid for half this fucking place,” Brian snapped as he turned off the engine. “The least they could do is give us our own parking space.”


Justin laughed. “You’ve been hobnobbing with those high powered executives for too long. This is a school. They don’t play favorites.”


“Well they should,” Brian declared as he hoisted his long body out of the low slung car.


“Isn’t it time you got a more practical vehicle,” Justin asked as he slammed the passenger door of the ‘Vette.


“Hey, take it easy on the old lady,” Brian said giving a pat to the hood of the old car.


“Pfft,” Justin reacted.


“Actually, she’s getting old enough to be designated a classic,” Brian said with a faraway look in his eyes.


“Just like you,” Justin whispered softly, “a classic.”


“Pfft,” Brian reacted.


Justin smiled. “You are a classic, and as handsome as you ever were.”


“Stop with the bullshit, or I’ll be fucking you across the hood of this old machine.”


“I doubt your old classic could stand it,” Justin boasted.


It was Brian’s turn to laugh. “Let’s get inside before the Squirt comes looking for us.”


“I hope she’s not too worried about speaking in front of the whole school and all the parents,” Justin said with a worried frown as they walked towards the school entrance.


“When have you known the Squirt to be afraid of anything?”


“Oh, right, I forgot that she’s your daughter.”


“Our daughter, and we raised her to be fearless.”


“Maybe that was a mistake,” Justin said.


“Hey,” Brian said stopping and turning to face his husband. “She’ll be fine,” he said staring into Justin’s eyes. “Stop worrying.”


“Aren’t you even a little worried for her?”


“Nope, she’s a pistol.”


“Nobody better make fun of her,” Justin threatened.


“Why would they make fun of her? Her speech is cute.”


“She’s a little kid. There will be much older kids speaking.”


“Like Patrick,” Brian replied.


“Even older than Patrick.”


“Speaking of which, I don’t see John’s SUV or Bobby’s.”


“They’re probably hiking it down the road right now. I told them to come early.”


“Let’s get some seats so we don’t have to sit in Outer Slobovia,” Brian retorted. “I’d like to be able to see Bree’s face when she does her speech.”


Justin opened the door of the school and headed for the gym. It was already quite full, but they found four seats not in the very back.


“Mr. Kinney, Mr. Taylor,” said a female voice. “I thought I saw you come in. I’m Bree’s teacher.”


“Right,” Brian said standing and shaking the woman’s hand. He sort of wished he knew her name. He was sure he had been told.


“Miss Smithers, nice to see you again,” Justin filled in. He shook her hand too.


“Bree’s so excited about doing her speech. She was very happy you both could be here to hear it.”


“I’m glad I could get back from my business trip in time,” Brian said.


“Well, I hope you’ll enjoy our assembly,” Miss Smithers said before she walked away to speak to some other parents.


“Not bloody likely,” Brian mumbled.


“Stop it. The kids will do a great job with their speeches,” Justin chastised.


“I’m not worried about our kids. It’s the other fifty we have to listen to that I’m worried about,” Brian griped.


“There’s only twelve grades, so that means twelve speeches.”


“Ten too many.”


“You are impossible!” Justin said folding his arms on his chest.


“Not incorrigible?” Brian asked tongue planted firmly in his cheek.


“That too.”


“Good to know I haven’t changed,” Brian snarked.


“Just behave yourself,” Justin commanded.


“Yes, sire.”


“There you are,” John said somewhat out of breath as he arrived at the row of chairs where Brian and Justin were sitting. He dropped into the closest chair. “Thanks for saving us a seat. We had to hike about two miles after we parked the SUV.”


“Hey, move over or let me in,” Bobby ordered. He was still standing at the edge of the row of chairs.


John stood up and Brian and Justin shifted over one seat so that Bobby could sit next to his husband.


“I told you we should have left sooner,” Bobby informed his husband.


“Don’t worry, big bro, I got the same lecture,” Brian whispered to his brother.


“Sh,” Justin said. “They’re starting.”


The principal was calling for silence as the assembly began. Brian managed to sit through the twelve speeches without too much squirming. He even enjoyed a couple of them, besides of course Patrick’s and Bree’s. Many of the speeches were heartfelt, while some were funny. Bree and Patrick both performed admirably. Their parents were very proud.


Bree came racing over to her parents as soon as the assembly was finished. “Did you see me, Daddy, Dada?” Bree asked slightly out of breath.


“I saw you and heard every word, Squirt,” Brian said. “You spoke clearly and loudly enough that we could hear you back here, and so could the parents behind us.”


“You did good, sweetheart,” Justin added. He bent to kiss his daughter’s cheek.


“Thanks, Daddy. I wasn’t nervous or nothin’,” she stated.


“Not even a little?” Justin questioned.


“Maybe a bit,” Bree admitted. “My tummy was full of butterflies.”


The four men laughed gently.


“Nobody would have known,” John said to his niece.


“Thanks, Uncle John. Did you like my speech?”


“I loved it.”


Bree beamed at them all.


“Me too,” Bobby added.


Just then Patrick arrived to get his share of accolades and pats on the back. He was duly modest, but seemed to enjoy all the attention.


“Ready to go home?” Brian asked.


“Yep,” the kids replied.


“You’ll have to go with Uncle John and Uncle Bobby because we came in the Corvette,” Brian explained.


“I could squeeze in,” Bree said wanting to go with her dads.


“It’s not safe,” Justin admonished.


“Come on, Bree,” John said. “It’s only a couple miles down the road to our car.”


“What?” Bree asked, her eyes wide.


“Big bro, how about I drive you to your car, and then we can come back and pick up our loads,” Brian suggested.


“I resent being called a load,” Justin stated with a wink at Bobby.


“Um, let me rephrase that,” Brian said quickly. “We’ll return to pick up our most treasured passengers.”


Justin gave him an elbow to the ribs. “Just get going.”


“I’m going to take us all out for dinner to celebrate our fine speakers,” Brian added. “So, decide where you would like to go.”


“Can I have a Shirley Temple?” Bree asked.


“But of course,” Brian said with a snooty British accent that would do Charles proud. “Someplace fancy then.”


“But of course,” Bree piped up in her own English accent.


They all chuckled as they headed outside.


 


*****

 



October of 2021 held the promise of a busy upcoming holiday season. First on the agenda was the annual Emerging Artists show, made more poignant with Sidney's announcement of retirement and turning over the reins of the gallery to Lindsay. Most of the Pittsburgh art world was there to witness the announcement, including the Sarah Kingsley who beamed her approval. The boys were there to lend their support, including Gus who came from college for the weekend. Gus, JR, and Candy applauded as Lindsay declared the exhibit to be open. It quickly became packed with people. Charles had flown over to lend his support and learn some tips for his gallery from his American counterpart. Lindsay was aglow from his attentions, which were closely scrutinized by Gus and Brian. Charles was on his best behavior.


Emmett and his crew were there. Deciding on a more international theme, his 'girls' were dressed in colorful national costumes of various cultures from around the world. The press ate it up as the guests ate up all of Emmett's delicacies.


The night was a success!


On the lane, Michael's vacation home had become habitable, if still somewhat bare. While the rest of the lane was beginning to decorate for Halloween and Thanksgiving, Michael was attempting to furnish his new cabin. With some very helpful and not so helpful hints from the family, Michael was becoming very frustrated.


“This is impossible!” Michael yelled out in anger as he stood in the middle of his empty living room. “This isn't supposed to be so hard.”


“Calm down, Mikey, you're going to give yourself an aneurysm,” Brian declared as he walked into the new cabin only to witness his friend having a meltdown. “Tell Uncle Brian all about it,” Brian teased.


“Fuck you!” Michael shouted as he glared at Brian. Brian was unmoved. Michael then took a deep breath. “I want the furniture to look like the stuff you have in the big cottage. I like it and so does Ben. It's comfortable and looks good but everyone is telling me where to shop or giving me catalogs and emailing me websites. I can't think straight.”


“Welcome to my world,” Brian said calmly. It always seemed to Brian that he could never make a major decision without someone in his family offering an opinion or outright telling him what he should do. He never listened, unless the someone was Justin, and later in years, John.


“So tell me your ideas,” Brian said to Michael who had calmed down in Brian's cool presence. Brian followed Michael through the cabin as Michael spoke, describing how he wanted each piece of furniture to look. Brian nodded, making the appropriate noises at the appropriate times and rolling his eyes when he thought an idea sucked or was waaay not Brian's style.


“So what do you think?” Michael asked when they were back in the living room.


“For the most part, I say go for it. Except for all those throw pillows in the bedrooms, I like it,” Brian said as he examined a window. John had installed windows with an old fashioned style with one large pane of glass for the bottom part and nine smaller panes making up the upper portion of the window. Brian noted it would be a bitch to clean, but he had decided the lane was going to need a cleaning service soon. He was already checking into it.


In the corner panes were tiny paintings of country scenes courtesy of one Justin Taylor, artist at large. Throughout the cabin were little hidden treasures of paintings depicting the countryside or other cabins and cottages. Justin had them subtly integrated into various windows and etched into some of the beams. Bobby joked that Michael should have a prize ready for anyone who could find all the paintings.


“What's wrong with throw pillows?” Michael asked.


“They're a pain in the ass, Mikey, and wind up on the floor anyway. Who needs 'em?” Brian said wisely. Michael shrugged his shoulders and conceded to Brian's advice. “So where do I get the furniture to fill this place and how do I pay for it without hocking my first born? Not that JR would stand for that,” Michael mumbled. Brian just shook his head at the ridiculous notion.


“Let me take care of it,” Brian stated.


“Oh no. I am not letting you buy my furniture. I don't know what you worked out with Ben for the land and shit, but I am not letting you lay out more money.” Michael continued to rant and rave. Brian let him, knowing that he'd eventually run out of steam.


“Are you done?” Brian asked. Michael nodded his head. “We worked something out.”


“Who's we and what did you work out?” Michael asked with a huff as he crossed his arms across his chest.


“Come back to the cottage with me; John has all the details.” Before Michael could object, Brian turned and walked out the front door. Michael had no choice but to follow. They walked past Todd who was adding the finishing touches to the fall plants and was about to inspect the backyard. Michael got his barbecue area, just not as extravagant as he once thought he wanted. John had made a stone barbecue grill in the back just off the kitchen. Easily accessible from the back door but far enough to prevent any fire jumping to the main cabin. Now all that Michael had to do was to learn how to barbecue. Fortunately, it could wait until next summer.


Brian winked at Todd who returned the gesture.


“Okay, so what's the big secret?” Michael asked as they stepped into the cottage.


“Wait till we get up to John's office,” Brian commanded in a tone that Michael knew meant he couldn't argue. Michael sighed and traipsed behind Brian, following him through the cottage and up the spiral stairs to John's attic office. Michael looked around the neat balcony office. He couldn't remember if he had ever been up there.


“Have a seat,” John offered Michael with a pleasant smile. Michael sat on the sofa as John took out several folders containing legal looking papers. Bobby sat next to Michael as Brian sat at Bobby's desk. Brian gallantly offered his lap to Justin with a waggle of his eyebrows. Justin rolled his eyes at his incorrigible spouse then leaned against the desk.


“Mikey,” Brian began in a serious tone, “when I offered to build you a cottage I didn't think it was going to be such a big deal. Molly's little cottage was pretty cheap to build. Emmett's place was a little more involved but next to building a house, it was still very inexpensive. Your cabin was...”


“A little more involved,” John finished. “We know that you and Ben like to be economical regarding your lifestyle so we came up with a proposal for you and Ben to consider which will help to defray the cost of the cabin.”


“What proposal and why is this the first I've heard about it?”


“Because this was the first time you've been up here to see the finished cabin, and we just thought of it over breakfast. I emailed Ben with the idea this morning. He likes it but says he'll go with whatever you decide,” John said. Michael looked around the room. He wanted to be angry but he knew none of them would do anything that wasn't in his best interests, especially not Brian.


“Go on,” Michael said, his arms still crossed.


“Even though we all weren't very happy with the idea of a log cabin on the lane we're very happy with the results,” John said.


“Are you happy with it, Mikey?” Brian asked almost pensively.


“It's perfect! I like our rooms being on the first floor; it reminds me of the B&B,” Michael stated with a lopsided grin. Brian smiled brightly; he had hoped as much.


“I kept the design similar,” John stated wearing his own grin. It always pleased him when the client was happy with the end results, even if he did have a rocky start. No pun intended. “And the loft floor?”


“It's great. JR can have a room of her own. Maybe share with Candy, if she wants and maybe Hunter and Nick will feel welcome too,” Michael said with a hitch in his voice.


“They will, Michael,” Justin said with confidence. The guys nodded in agreement.


“So what's your proposal?” Michael asked with anticipation.


“Gordon and I are very pleased with how the cabin turned out. We've taken pictures along the way, recording the process. And Todd's landscaping is superb.” John beamed at Brian. “I've shown the pictures to some of our more 'uptown' clients and many have expressed a desire for something similar. And some want the Taj Mahal,” John teased.


“So what does that have to do with me?” Michael asked looking from John to Brian and back to John.


“Allow me and Gordon to formally showcase your cabin,” John said.


“Showcase. What does that mean, exactly?”


“When a client wants to see a 'real' cabin not just a picture, we bring them here. I wouldn't do it when you were in residence, unless you didn't mind. And when you guys aren't around, we have carte blanche to show the place to potential clients. Gordon and I have done this with other private homes or office buildings that we built or renovated.”


“I let them do it with the theater and bowling alley, and Kinnetik Part Deux,” Brian added.


“In a way, John's paying you for the privilege of invading your space,” Bobby further explained. “It's all here in legaleeze for you to go over with Ben and your own lawyer.”


“Hell, fax it to the wicked witch of the west if you want her opinion,” Brian snarled, referring to Melanie who had handled a lot of Michael's legal business.


“I trust you,” Michael said. “All of you,” he added with a sincere smile for all of them.


“Michael, the cabin is yours no matter what you decide,” Brian said softly. “You were always my best friend, my only friend for a very long time. You and Debbie took me in when I had nowhere to go. Just do this,” Brian said, his hazel eyes glittering with unshed tears.


Michael smiled warmly at his oldest friend.


“Michael, when you're not here, we'll take care of the cabin just like we take care of Molly and Emmett's places,” Justin supplied. “Visitors stay at the B&B unless they're your personal friends or family that you allow to stay at the cabin. The guys will let you know when they're going to show the cabin.”


“It's like when you were house hunting,” Bobby added.


“Yeah, we went to a lot places before we found our house. A realtor was always with us,” Michael said as the proposal was sinking in. He suddenly frowned. “You showcasing the cabin still doesn't make up for the land, the building materials and labor, not even the landscaping,” Michael huffed again.


“Oh for fuck's sake!” Brian growled. Brian slid off his chair and knelt in front of his friend, placing his hands on Michael's knees. “Don't argue with me, Mikey. I mean it, or I call your mother!” Brian gave Michael a death glare to end all death glares.


“Okay! Okay! I surrender,” Michael said as he threw his hands up in defeat.


“YAY!” the guys shouted.


“But I still don't have any furniture,” Michael whined.


Brian giggled. “You will next week,” Brian assured his friend with a pat to his knee.


 


*****.

 



“Hey Tom!” Tom heard his name as he hung a simple wooden cross on one of the walls in his little shack.


It had taken less than a week to put up Tom's little log shack in the woods, as the lane family referred to it. Once John leveled the land, erected the frame and helped with the roof, that is, using the leftover building materials from Michael's cabin. Tom almost worked himself into a snit when he saw John and Todd take over the building of his shack. But when Tom realized it wasn't as easy as he thought it was going to be, he became very grateful for the help. Even Brian whipped out the old toolbelt to help. It still fell off his hips so Brian 'allowed' Justin to wear it. Not much work got done but Tom and the boys never stopped laughing at Brian's antics and attempts at seduction, and at Justin's half-hearted rebuffs.


By the end of the week, John had shooed away his not so helpful help so that he, Tom and Todd could finish up. Todd appeared to have a way with tools and followed John's instructions to the letter. John even offered Todd a job in his construction company if Todd ever got tired of the landscaping business. As it was, John gave several of his local landscaping contracts to Todd because Todd was just that good.


“Come on in!” Tom called out.


“All the comforts of home,” Todd observed as he handed over a canvas bag with some snacks and non-perishable items to Tom.


“What's this?” Tom asked as he looked in the bag.


“A care package from Justin. Don't argue, just accept it. The boys are convinced you're going to pine away out here.”


“I'm only a fifteen minute walk from the cottage,” Tom stated.


“Hey, I know that but you know how they get.”


“Drama queens,” Tom and Todd said at the same time then cracked up.


“Want some tea?” Tom offered. Todd nodded.


In the middle of the shack, John had installed a vintage potbelly stove. It heated up the one room shack very nicely and Tom was able to make tea. He hadn't gotten the hang of coffee yet but Todd didn't seem to mind. Tom had no electricity, therefore no refrigeration, but an insulated cooler just outside of the door worked well. He had one window with a screen and shutter, a couple of folding chairs, a table and a small day bed. For light, Tom made do with candles and a couple of hurricane lamps. In the corner near the window, John built a small closet, typically known as a water closet. It was big enough to hold a chemical toilet that was easy to install and to clean. John added the door for privacy sake.


With some large hooks on the inside of the door to hang coats and his little “Welcome” sign made from an old plank from the original lean-to hanging on the outside, it was home sweet home.


“I still can't believe you like being out here instead of at the big cottage,” Todd commented as he blew on his hot tea.


“I sometimes can't believe it either. It sort of reminds me of my seminary days. We'd go on retreats or stay in a monastery somewhere. This would be considered luxury,” Tom explained.


“If you say so,” Todd said as he opened the shutter. There was a cool breeze that swept through the small cabin. “John said a storm is coming. He suggests you batten down the hatches then get back to the lane in about an hour, before it hits.”


“Plenty of time to finish our tea and commune with nature,” Tom said with a shy smile as he sat on the day bed.


“Plenty of time,” Todd echoed as he sat next to Tom, also smiling.


Tom and Todd shared a tender kiss before finishing their tea then heading back to the lane.


TBC  


 

 

End Notes:

 


This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1558