CDLWY 15 The Final Chapter by Simply written
Summary:

bannerBrian and Justin have come a long way.  They met back on the streets of NYC.  They had a family and made lifelong friends.  They lived and nearly died together more than once but overall it was a long happy life.  The final chapter of Can’t Do Life Without You has our favorite couple enjoying their senior years with their family in their favorite place, the vineyard. (Don’t worry, Brian and Justin will be happy and healthy at the end of the story. Ch. 16)  If you choose to read the epilogue there will be a death of a Major Charactoer.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Jennifer Taylor, Justin Taylor, Original Character
Tags: None
Genres: None
Pairings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Can't Do Life Without You
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 130839 Read: 8888 Published: Sep 23, 2020 Updated: Nov 22, 2020

1. Chapter 1 by Simply written

2. Chapter 2 by Simply written

3. Chapter 3 by Simply written

4. Chapter 4 by Simply written

5. Chapter 5 by Simply written

6. Chapter 6 by Simply written

7. Chapter 7 by Simply written

8. Chapter 8 by Simply written

9. Chapter 9 by Simply written

10. Chapter 10 by Simply written

11. Chapter 11 by Simply written

12. Chapter 12 by Simply written

13. Chapter 13 by Simply written

14. Chapter 14 by Simply written

15. Chapter 15 by Simply written

16. Chapter 16 by Simply written

17. Epilogue by Simply written

Chapter 1 by Simply written

Chapter 1 


“Sunshine, sweetheart, are you ready to go?” Brian walked up behind Justin and pulled close. “I know this is not easy.”

Justin turned into Brian’s arms and looked up into this caring eyes, “I know you loved her as much as  I did.  Mom lived 93 years.  She knew her time was about up and what better way to go than to just sleep away.  Of course the whole family will miss her but she taught us to be strong.  It will be so good to see the kids and the grandkids.  It has been too long.”

“Well, then let's head to the hotel.  They have a floor of suites waiting for us.”

“It will seem odd being back at the vineyard, knowing this will probably be the last time we are in Pittsburgh.”

“When we came here to visit Jennifer three years ago, who knew we would be here this long.”

“Yes, I mean it’s not like we didn’t go back to see the kids but it is time to go home.  The vineyard is home.  That’s where we belong now.  Can you believe the twins are in high school and Tally and Juss are in college?”

“Guess we are moving back just in time.” Brian kissed Justin and led him out to the town car that was pulling up. As he bent to get in the car, Justin saw Brian pull a face. 

“Are you alright? Does something hurt?” Justin asked as he got in next to him.

“Nothing serious. You know getting old isn’t easy.”

“For 80 you are doing quite well, darling.” Justin kissed him.

“I’m 79.” 

“Yes, you are, Brian, for a couple more weeks but don’t ignore my question.  What hurts?”

“Everything. Was having radiation the smartest thing for someone my age?”

“Brian, I wasn’t ready to have you go anywhere yet. Maybe that was just selfish on my part.”

“No, Sunshine, you’re right. I have too much to live for to go anywhere yet except California to be with our family.”

Brian relaxed against Justin.  He had finished radiation almost six months ago and he was still not as lively as he used to be but he had to remind himself he was almost 80 and Jusitn didn’t seem to mind that he wasn’t quite as energetic as he used to be but the passion would never end.  “You know, Justin.  We would have stayed this long anyway.  We needed to be here for Jenn.”

“And the doctor told us you might be a bit slower but up until you had treatment again, you were still exercising four days a week.  At my age I could barely keep up with you.”

“Liar…..but I love you for it.”

Justin’s phone rang and he looked at it but didn’t answer it.

“Not the kids?” Brian asked.

“No, just that reporter.  I promised I would get together with her but that was before Mom passed away.”

 “Well, when you are rated one of the best artist of the twenty first century, you’re a hot commodity.  I’m just glad you’re my hot commodity. Call her back.  You have time.  See if you can set up an interview in the next few days while we are still here.” Justin called her back while Brian shut his eyes and sat quietly for a while.  He thought about the day Justin found out he had received the honor.  Jenn had just been transferred to a nursing home and Brian had just finished his treatments and was always exhausted.  Justin had put his life on hold the last six months as Brian regained his strength and as he held his mother’s hand.  He had turned down personal appearances and gallery showings because his family needed him.

“Brian, where did you drift off to?

“A wonderful place. A place called Justin Taylor Kinney.”  Justin kissed him as he ran his hand through Brian’s thick silver streaked hair.   Neither noticed the car come to a stop.

The driver opened the door.  “Gentlemen, we have arrived.”

Justin got out and offered a hand to Brian.  He thankfully accepted, smiling at the man he had loved for 50 years. “Thanks, Sunshine. Let’s go see if any of the family has arrived.” He turned to the driver and handed him $50.00.  “Please have the bags brought up to our room.”

“Yes, sir.”

Brian slipped his arm into Justin’s and they walked into the hotel.  They were barely in the door when  beautiful teenage girls rushed into their arms.  Talia and Justice hugged their grandfathers. “Grandpas!” they said in unison.

“Wow, I know you are both in college but do you have to grow up so fast?” Justin said as he put his arm around Justice’s waist and Brian did the same to Tally.

“Grandpa,” Justice smiled at him, “I’ll actually graduate Next spring.  I have enough credits to finish my classes a year early.”

“I’m just there to have fun and find a rich husband but then I realize I am rich so I can marry for love,” Tally winked at Brian. He kissed the top of her head.  

“Where are your parents and siblings?” Brian questioned them.

“They are in the suites.  It is so cool to have the whole floor so we can just leave the doors open and go back and forth,” Tally commented.

When the elevator stopped at their floor, Justice had a card the desk had given them. It was the only way you could get off on this floor.  The doors opened and they were instantly surrounded.  Brinn wrapped her arms around Justin as tears came to her eyes.  “I’m sorry, Daddy.  Grandma was so special.  We will all miss her so much.”

Justin pulled his daughter into his arms and held her.  She had grown into a stunning woman.  She still practiced some law with her brother Matteo but she mostly ran the winery with Zach.  They had taken over when Brian and Justin moved to Pittsburgh temporarily. After she let go of Justin she moved to Brian. “Hi, Dad, how are you feeling? You look tired.  Come sit down.”

“Be honest, I look old.  I’m really not that tired. I just am not as young as I used to be,” Brian hugged and kissed his daughter.  “Where are Zach and the boys?”

“Zach and Zander had to stay home at the last minute.  It was nothing serious but there was an issue at the vineyard that needed to be dealt with even though it was minor.  Zander volunteered to stay with his dad, although I think it had a little to do with his older girlfriend and the fact she invited him to prom.”

“I’m glad he stayed home then,” Justin said.  “Mom knew all her great grandchildren loved her.  She would want him to do what he had planned.

Gus, strode up from one of the other suites and hugged his dads.  “You guys look good. Sorry we had to come for this reason but it has been too long.  You are coming back to California with us, right?”

Brian hugged his son. It had been too long. “We will be back there soon.  I am guessing in the next couple weeks we will make it permanent.  Justin has an interview to do and we are having a get together with our friends next weekend.  Then we will move back.”

A tall, lanky teenage boy came down the hall.  “Hey, Gramps plural.”  Brennon had coined that many years ago when he greeted both his grandfathers. He had the height and build of Brian but the fair hair of Justin.  He gave each of them a quick hug and kiss.

“No, prom for you?” Justin asked as he held onto Brennon's hand for a minute.  

“I’m not the monogamous type,” the almost 16 year old said.

All of them moved into the largest suite and sat around.  Shelby had been on the phone when they arrived.  She kissed both her fathers in law and sat down on the arm of Gus’ chair.  “We are not grandparents yet but Taylor was advised not to travel so she is home with her feet up.  Ian is taking good care of her. Maybe by the time you get back she’ll be here.”

“It’s a girl?”

“I am not sure but I feel it is,” Shelby responded. “And Gage is running the business while we are here. He and Tabitha are in the middle of wedding plans.  It will be a fall wedding.”

“It sounds like we are getting back just in time,” Justin said as he moved closer to Brian, who naturally put his arm around him and pulled him closer still. “Brinn, well any of you, have you heard how Dan is doing?” Justin asked knowing Brian couldn’t bring himself to do so.

“I spoke to Danny yesterday.  He is holding his own.  He and El are spending time there everyday so Marcus doesn’t get burned out.  I think it will be good to have you back, Daddy.  Marcus could use his best friend. I am sure Dan will be glad to see you too, Dad.  You two have been friends so long and the fact that you both just went through cancer treatments.  It’s sad that nothing more can be done for Uncle Dan.   But he is comfortable for the most part and although eventually…..well, he still should have a few good months.”

Justin felt Brian’s whole body tremble. He glanced at the clock knowing Brian needed a little time to let all that sink in.  “We have dinner reservations in two hours.  I think it would be good if we got settled into our bedroom.  We have all night and tomorrow to talk.  The service is at 1:00 tomorrow afternoon.  Oh, and do you know when Molly and Tyler are getting here?”

Shelby spoke up, “They are coming in on a commercial flight tonight about 6:00 so they should be here at 7:30.”

“Good, I know this will get real for her when she arrives.” Justin thought about his younger sister.  She had come to visit as often as she could but she was busy trying to raise her grandchildren.  Their daughter, Jenna, had not been an easy teenager and had a child right after high school.  She then had a brief marriage and had a second child.  She had a drug and alcohol problem so Molly and Tyler were raising her children although now that Jenna had gotten clean she had moved back in and started transitioning the children back to her care.

“At least Jenna has finally gotten help and although she still has some mental health issues she is doing really well.”

Justin had a soft spot for Jenna, especially after going through the earthquake with her. “It’s good to know she is doing well.  She has a big heart and if she can stay clean she is a good mom.” He stood and offered his hand to Brian, “We will see all you about 7:00.” 

As soon as Brian and Justin got into their room, Justin had Brian lay down and took off his shoes and then took off his own before he pulled a blanket over both of them.  He put his arms around Brian and Brian turned into him. “I can’t imagine life without Dan.  He has been by my side and on my side for over 40 years.”

“And you have been a great friend.  You two were made to be friends and I feel the same about Marcus. We are both married to beautiful men who have given us everything we could ever want.”

“I didn’t give you anything.  You and I created our life together.”  Brian kissed him.  

“Let’s get a nap.  I set my phone alarm for an hour so we have time to get freshened up.” Brian laid his head on Justin’s chest and drifted off.


At 6:45 the family started assembling in one of the living rooms.  Everyone had decided to dress up for dinner.  Basically there would be no jeans.  Brian, Justin, and Gus had on suits while Brennon was wearing trousers and a button down. Shelby, Brinn, Tally, and Juss wore dresses and heels.

“Wow, looks like each gentleman has a lovely lady to escort to the dining room,” Gage said as he took Shelby’s arm.

“Too bad the rest of us aren’t into girls,” Brennon said under his breath but both Brian and Justin heard him.

“I told you, Sunshine.  He is one of us!  I knew it that day he was five and …..” Brian hugged his grandson.

“And I told you he may or may not be and he will let us know when he is sure.” Justin hugged him once Brian let him go. “Your grandpa always hoped he had a grandson that followed in his footsteps.”

“I am doing my best,” he winked.  “I remember all those stories.”

“And you, young man, are not going to follow that closely.”

“Mom, you can’t say anything.  You were living with Dad about my age.”

“And I wouldn’t change that but I missed out on a lot of living so maybe you can go somewhere between me, being with two men and your grandfather being with hundreds. Maybe you could aim for your grandpa Justin.”

“Brennon, when we get back to the vineyard I promise we can talk.”

Brennon hugged Justin and kissed him, “I’d like that.”

“As soon as school is out, maybe we can take a day trip or you can just spend the weekend at our place.”

“I do have questions, like….”

“Brennon, not another word,” Justice said to her younger brother.  “I don’t care that you’re gay, obviously, but I don’t want to know what you do with your dick.” 

“Juss, you are such a lady,” Brinn shook her head at her daughter.  “I’m hungry.  Let’s go down to dinner.”  Brinn took Justice’s arm.  Brennon offered his arm to his cousin, Tally and Brian and Justin linked their fingers as they all entered the elevator.  

It was a meal filled with laughs and tears. They told stories of Jennifer.  Brian talked about her storming into his office with Justin’s underwear and told him to make sure he did his homework. Justin talked about her acceptance once it sank in.  Each of the kids and grandkids told a favorite thing about Jennifer.  As they ordered desserts and the adults ordered after dinner drinks, the door to the private dining room and in walked Molly and Tyler.  Justin stood and walked over to his sister.  He took her in his arms as she cried. Tyler shook hands with Brian and then greeted everyone else.

“Molly, Mom went the way she wanted to. She was sleeping a lot but when she was awake she was as bright and pleasant as she always was.”

“I am glad of that.  I just wish I could have spent more time with her but with the grandkids I….”

“Mom was so proud of you and how you stepped up to help Jenna and tell Jenna she was so proud Jenna had cleaned up and was getting back with her kids.”

“I’m so glad you and Brian were able to spend time here.  How is Brian?”

“He is doing well.  His stamina is still…”

“Justin, I don’t want to hear about your sex life.”

“I wasn’t talking about our sex life,” he laughed.  “I think our desserts are here.  You can order a drink and share my tiramisu.”

I think I will order a drink and a dessert to share with my husband. We’ll talk later.” Molly hugged him and walked over to Tyler.

It was around 11:00 p.m. when Justin noticed Brian nodding off as he listened to the grandkids talk about school.  He kissed Molly goodnight and left her with Tyler, Gus, Shelby, and Brinn. 

“Brian, I think it is time to go to bed.”

“Justin, I am talking to our grandchildren.  I think I am old enough to know when I am ready to sleep,” Brian snapped.  Justin left him and walked to their bedroom.

Brinn stood and followed Justin, “Daddy, Dad is alright isn’t he?”

“Oh Brinny,” Justin held on to her. After a couple moments he said, “Your dad is fine. He just hates the fact that he isn’t 30 or even 40 anymore. Getting old isn’t easy, especially for someone as proud as your dad. He is still getting stronger from the radiation but it is taking a long time.”

“Daddy, how are you? You have been dealing with Dad and Grandma.”

“I have to admit, I am ready to be home.  I wouldn’t have changed the last few years with Mom but, I miss all of you and I realize, I’m not young anymore. I hope I have a lot of good years ahead yet but there are so many pictures I want to paint yet.”

There was a light tap on the door and it opened. “Am I welcome?” Brian asked.  Justin nodded. Brinn kissed Justin and then kissed Brian before leaving the bedroom.  “I am so sorry, Sunshine.  I have no excuse.”  He walked over and kissed Justin’s cheek.

“Now wait a minute.  That is not going to do as an apology kiss.  It will take a lot more than that!” Justin put his arms around Brian’s neck and as their lips met, they sat down on the bed. 

As they separated, Brian looked into Justin’s blue eyes.  “I am so sorry. You’re right, I was tired but…”

“You don’t want your grandchildren to know you are slowing down a bit.  You know when we were young you wanted to go to bed early.” Justin ran his hand through Brian’s hair and then moved downward.  He unbuttoned Brian’s shirt and brushed Brian’s crotch but didn’t go any further. He could tell Brian wasn’t up to it tonight.

“I’m sorry, I….”

“You will be rested in the morning and we always have amazing morning sex,” Justin smoothed over it.  He tugged at Brian’s shirt and once it was off he threw it in a chair and removed his own. Brian stood and dropped his pants and briefs and threw the pants over the chair with his shirt. He padded across the bedroom to the bathroom.  Justin watched him walk. He still looked good for a man near 80.  Yes, Brian had a few scars from surgeries but he had far more of those.  Maybe his muscle tone wasn’t what it was when he was 40 but he kept himself in shape and he still walked tall and proud. And he still made Justin want to kiss him every time he saw his lips.

Brian walked back and got in bed and Justin went to the bathroom to brush his teeth.  When he returned, Brian was snoring softly.  He curled up behind him and, draping an arm around his waist, he went to sleep.


Justin was pulled out of a deep sleep with the feel of lips trailing down his neck.  “Umm, someone is well rested.”  He turned into Brian’s arms. 

They kissed and explored for a while.  Brian softly said, at one point, “I’m sorry about last night.  “I guess my emotions were on overdrive.  Finding out that Brennon will be doing this someday… I am so glad he told us.”

“You apologized last night, Bri.  I know you didn’t mean anything.  You’ve said a lot worse and did mean it.  You are getting better.  It just takes a while longer.”

“I know you’re right.  I do feel stronger every week.” As they had been talking Jusitn had continued to touch Brian and by now, Brian was aching for Justin. “Turn over, Sunshine.” Brian pressed in and Justin relaxed for his entry.  “You are still my favorite place to be.”


Brinn ended up taking the other bedroom in her father’s suite.  She hadn’t slept well.  The time difference had thrown her system off.  She had called Zach about midnight and it was the wee hours of the morning when they said goodnight.  After getting a couple hours of sleep she had come out to the living area and opened her laptop.  She read a few things about age and radiation recovery.  She felt better when she finished reading.  Her dad would be fine.  She was sure he would.  It was obvious he still had fire in his soul and a reason to go on.  As she read that she was sure she heard something from her dads’ room.  Soon she heard both of them make a sound she had heard so many times,  Her fathers were making love.  There was still so much love between them.

A few minutes later the door opened and Brian walked out. “Brinny, You are awake early.”

“More like I am up late.”

“You didn’t sleep well?”

“My body is just off because of the time change I think,  and I never sleep as well when Zach’s not with me.”

“I know what you mean.  There have been a few nights the last couple months that Sunshine stayed with your grandma.  At least it was in a bed I was used to.”

Brinn got up and hugged him.  “I love you, Dad.  You really are feeling better aren’t you.  Last night you needed to rest but this morning you woke up ready for….”

“Are you saying we should up the soundproofing of the suite in our hotels? Sorry, sweetheart.”

Brinn smiled, “Dad, it made me feel like a kid living at home.  How often did I wake up hearing you two cum? More times than I could count.”

“I might worry but you turned out just fine and so did your brother.  Everything at the vineyard got straightened out?”

“It did.  It was just a shipment of some new supplies that had gotten delayed and since it was a new supplier he felt he should be there and check everything.  Of course, some of it was because Zander really wanted to go to prom but really wanted to be here, too.”

“All of you were here for Christmas.  Jenn talked about the holidays up until the day she died.  I’m glad he is going to his dance.” There was a knock on the door. “I called room service before I came out here.  That will be several carafes of coffee and trays of pastries.”

Brinn opened the door and a cart was rolled in. She signed the room service slip writing in a tip for the young women.  She smiled when she saw mixed fresh fruit in a couple bowls too.  “You’re always thinking healthy.”

“Justin did actually.  He thought something a little lighter or just something to munch on later would be good. So how long have you known about Brennon?”

“That he’s gay? You know, it’s obviously not a big deal.  I have two boys and they are very different in so many ways.  Their sexuality just happens to be one of them but I am glad you are coming home.  I know we have lots of family members that would talk to him or answer questions but he will feel the most comfortable with the two of you.”  She kissed Brian’s cheek as Justin came out of the bedroom.  

Justin’s limp was more noticeable in the morning.  “Got one of those for me?” She met him halfway across the room and kissed him. “Good morning, Brinny.  Nothing makes me happier than seeing you in the morning.”

“Not even having dad….”

“Watch it, young lady.” He hugged his daughter tightly. “I am glad you and brother could make it.  I understand why Jenna isn’t going to make it and I think Paul will be here for the service.”

“Last I heard he will be here mid morning.  His wife and at least one of his kids are supposed to be with him.”

“Mom would be so proud that all of you took time to come but she was even prouder that you saw her at least twice a year.  She loved you.”

“We loved her, too, Dad.” 

More and more of the family trickled in and soon the suite was full.  Justin stayed close to Molly.  Tyler was great support for her but the brother and sister drew comfort from being near each other.  When Paul and his family arrived, it was Molly’s turn to go into grandma mode helping her realize the future is where she needed to focus.  The past was full of wonderful memories but there were many memories yet to be made.

Soon they were told the town cars were there to take them to the service and two and a half hours later they returned, along with some of their friends.  Blake was at the service but went home instead of back to the hotel.  Ted wasn’t feeling up to coming but he was definitely going to be at the birthday party since it was at his house. Lindsay and Mel were there for Gus and his family.  Emmett was there with Drew and Michael and Ben joined them.  Molly had invited several of her friends to join them.  Everyone sat and ate a light lunch and then Molly and Justin shared a few memories.

“I remember the first time I saw Mom with Tuck.  I couldn’t believe she would go out with a guy so young,” Justin started.

“You were shocked? He was my teacher but he made her happy,” Molly smiled.

“Well, he made Mom happy for 30 years. It wasn’t a traditional marriage because they usually took separate vacations and he wasn’t as sociable as Mom but it worked for them.”

Molly continued, “When he passed away, I wasn’t surprised Mom spent a lot of time with us in California but Pittsburgh was home for her.  Thank you, Justin, for uprooting your life for a few years to be with her.” Molly hugged Justin tightly and wiped away a few tears. “I know how lucky we were to have her all these years and if I can be half the mother and grandmother she was, I will do a good job.”

Justin’s arm was still around her waist, “I am so thankful I got to spend a lot of time with her but I have to admit,” he walked over to Brian and put her hands on his shoulders, “I am ready to go  home.  I am about to become a great grandfather.  We have grandchildren I want to watch become adults and I want to sit on the veranda with my love watching the sunset behind the vineyard.”

Brian kissed Justin’s hand on his shoulder.  “We will both miss our friends here,” Brian said but the vineyard is home now. It’s where the heart of our family is.” He moved his hand to point at their kids and grandkids.  

As the afternoon went on the grandchildren went up to the suite and then the children, and then Molly and Tyler, leaving just Brian and Justin with their friends. Mel and Lindsay had gone up to spend a little more time with Gus and his family.

It wasn’t long before the friends said goodbye and reminded them of the time of the party in a couple days and together Brian and Justin rode the elevator up to their floor.  Everyone was in other suites so Brian and Justin chose to take a little time to rest.  They had agreed dinner was on their own unless they decided later to just order subs or pizza.  Right now the only thing Brian needed was a little relaxation and all Justin needed was to be in his arms.


“Hey, Molly and Tyler went out to eat with Paul and his family.  I’m sure our dads will need a little something to eat.  What do you say we just order a bunch of Chinese in?” Brinn asked Gus and Shelby.

“That sounds good.  The kids will like that, too,” Shelby agreed.  We can call in an order and have them deliver.

They figured out what to order and made a call.  Gus went to his dads’ room and tapped on the door. “Dads?”

“Come in, Gus,” Jusitn said as Brian pulled him closer.

“I just wanted you to know that we ordered Chinese and it will be here in about half an hour.”

“Great, thanks Gus, We’ll be out there in a little bit.”

“Are you both….” Gus hesitated.

“We’re fine, sonny boy. We’ll be out before the food arrives.”

“Dads, I know I’m a grown man but I will be glad when you are back home.  I’ve missed you.”

“We have missed you, too.  Come sit for a minute.” Justin patted the mattress next to him.  Gus came and sat down.  “How is Trenton?”

Gus got a sweet smile when he thought about his long time lover. “Pen is great.   His last book is doing very well. I might go with him to his last book signing. We would be low key and rent two hotel rooms but it would be great to get away with him.  We haven’t done it for a couple years.”

“I’m glad you found each other. I doubt Shelby would have done this with anyone else.” Brian said bluntly.

“Pop, I know that.  She knows I love her to death but….”

“Have you ever told Trenton you love him?  It is obvious you do,” Justin took Gus’ hand.

“Dad, I promised Shelly I would never love anyone but her.”

“Gus, she knows. Maybe it's time he hears you say the words. He knows it, but trust me, hearing it makes it all real.”

“I’ll think about it. I really do love him but I promised Shelby…”

“Just talk to her about it.  It will be fine, I promise.”  Justin kissed their son.  “We will be out in a few minutes.”

Left alone, Brian pulled Justin in for a kiss. “I’m thinking dinner and then a boys hot tub and a girls hot tub….if they want to anyway.”

“That sounds amazing,” Justin kissed him and got up.  They both pulled on some jeans and T-shirts before walking out to the main room.


Brian, Justin, Gus, and Brennon were in the hot tub. Brennon had been a bit bashful but the older men averted their eyes as he dropped his robe and got in quickly. Brian, Justin, and Gus were drinking bourbon while Brennon sipped on a wine spritzer. Brian didn’t hold back on showing Justin his affection. It was obvious one of his hands was busy under the water and Justin’s head dropped back.

Gus laughed as he looked at Brennon, “You know your grandfathers are always horny or at least they always were.”

“Well, Uncle Gus, what’s it like to have a wife and a husband?”

“I don’t have a husband.”

“You  know what I mean.  Trent has been part of the family my whole life.  Now, me, girls just don’t do anything for me but obviously you enjoy the act of sex with….”

“Hold up a minute.  I would never deny I enjoy sex but I just happen to be in love with my wife and Trenton. I know it is not a normal situation but it has worked for us for close to 20 years.  I couldn’t find contentment with Shelby for some reason. I can’t live without her but I can’t live without Trenton either. Thankfully, Shelby understands me.”                       

“That was well said, son.” Brian said as Justin worked to regain his composure after Brian made him cum.  

Brennon looked at Justin and said, “Gramps Plural, did you just do what I think you did?”

Justin flushed a bit and not just from the hottub.  “Sorry, Brennon, I guess we got carried away. It’s been a crazy….”

“Hey, your adults, old adults actually,” he smirked at them.  “I just want to know how you can be so quiet when you….. Well, you know. At least a couple times a week someone is telling me to shut up.”

Brian laughed, “Why do I have memories of Emmett pop into my mind?”

“Em never did anything quietly,” Justin put his arm around Brian and Brian rested against him.

“Grandpa, you are going to be alright, aren’t you? I mean you’re still getting stronger? We just lost Great Grandma Jenn.  I just…”

Brian moved from where he was sitting over to Brennon and put his arms around him, “You are going to be stuck helping us around the house for a long time.”  

Brennon gave Brian a quick peck on the lips, “Well, if something needs fixing you better be asking Zander.  If you need help organizing your wardrobe, I’m your man.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

By 11:00 p.m. Brian and Justin were lying in bed.  They talked about their friends and the upcoming party.  Then they talked about their family until they drifted off to sleep.


Brian and Justin had a relaxing day for the most part.  By noon everyone was on their way to the airport and they were on their way to Mel’s office. She had talked to Molly a couple hours earlier and now she was going to go through the will with Brian and Justin.  Several years ago Justin talked Jenn into taking him off the life insurance policy.  Molly and Tyler didn’t have money problems at all but they had more use for it than Brian and Justin.  If they wanted to give the money away, they could.  If they wanted to give it to their children, they could. Mel went through the formalities and Justin signed the paperwork. 

“We’ll miss you and Lindz when we are back in California,” Justin said as he stood and hugged her.  “You know you are welcome any time.  We have plenty of properties you could use.  There will be a new baby very soon.”

“Lindz and I will talk about it.  I am not working anymore except wills like this and Lindsay has retired.  Maybe it is time for us to join our family  but maybe we are too old to start over.  We are the same age as you are, Brian.”

“That means you should have several good years left to enjoy the vineyard,” Justin said as he smiled at her.  “We will see you at Ted and Blake’s tomorrow.”

“Yes, I’m glad Ted is up to it.  That stroke took a bit out of him but if he hadn’t broken his hip when he fell, he would have totally recovered.  It really was just a minor stroke.”

Brian was quiet as they strolled the short distance back to the hotel. Justin took Brian’s hand and said softly, “Mortality is slapping us in the face.  Mom is gone and both of  your  best friends are not doing well.”

Brian stopped him and took him in his arms, “You are my best friend, Sunshine. You know that.”

“Bri, we have all lived long and productive lives.  We have families that love us and are there for us. And we have always been there for each other.  I think when our time comes we should have no regrets.” Justin kissed Brian again, “now let's go spend the rest of the day in bed.”

“It’s no wonder I love you,” Brian took Justin’s hand and walked with him into the building.


The next day the old gang was together once more.  Em still owned the catering company but he had a general manager that ran the business but today he had helped plan the food.  As they sat around Ted and Blake’s dining room table, each couple took a turn talking about their children and when they got to Emmett and Drew, since they didn’t have kids, they started talking about the early days.  “Mel and Lindsay’s wedding was one of the first events I planned.  George was so sweet to let us use his solarium.  It was such a beautiful room.  Drewsy, as much as I love you, I still miss Georgie sometimes.  He was the first man that I think really loved me just because I was me.”

“I understand, Em.  He was a kind old man and how could he not love you,” Drew kissed him. “I know we had a bumpy start but I wised up.”

“I was just thinking about the first night I brought you into the diner and you met Mom,” Michael’s voice trailed off mentioning Debbie.  “I know she’s been gone almost 10 years but I still miss her.  She actually thought Justin and I….”

“That was your loss Mikey.  Not really.  You and Ben were meant to be, just like Sunshine and I couldn’t live separate lives.” Brian brought Justin’s hand to his lips.  

The afternoon went on as they talked about the good and not so good old days. They talked about Ted’s foray into porn and later drugs.  “If it wasn’t for Blake …. Well my life got a lot better when he came into it.  We raised our boys and now have grandchildren nearly grown. Nothing could have been better.”

“Well, Theodore, my Kinnetic would never have gotten as big as it did without you.  You were my rock when it came to work.”

“Well, Brian, it was that job that gave us this place.”

Brian opened the gifts for his birthday. Most of them were gifts with sentimental value.  And as afternoon turned to evening, All of them knew they needed to go but they didn’t want to.  Somewhere deep inside they all knew this would be the last time they would all be in the same place at the same time.  Soon they couldn’t put it off anymore hugs and kisses were shared by all and each couple went their own way. 


Brian and Justin were silent on the ride home.  They kissed from time to time and held hands but they were both lost in their own thoughts.  When they arrived in the suite, Brian started undressing and walked out to the rooftop hot tub. Justin followed him out and undressed before getting in with Brian. 

Justin knew it was best not to say anything. After nearly a half hour, Brian finally spoke, “I’m sorry, Sunshine. I’m not much in the mood for conversation.”

“It’s hard to imagine that might be the last time we see them.  None of us are young but we are all in decent health,” Justin commented.

“It’s just hard to think about Dan.  Let’s leave tomorrow. I want to spend as much time as I can with him.”

“I think John is in New York right now.  I bet we can hitch a ride with him back tomorrow. We can call him as soon as we get back in the building.”

“Do you mind going in now?  I just need to get back there.”

“Of course we can,” Justin got out of the tub and offered his hand to Brian.  They dried off and went into the house.

A half hour later they were making sure everything was packed.  The town car would be there at 6:00 a.m.


“Uncle Brian, it is so good to see you!” John rushed over and threw his arms around the older man’s neck.  “I know you were needed here but now you belong in California.”

“Sorry about Jennifer, Justin.  She was a very nice woman.  I really liked her.” John hugged Justin close for a few moments. “It’s good you’re coming home.”

“How is Nora?”

“She is ready to pop any day and still swears this was all because of their last anniversary.  She had her hands full with the three she had and now with Leo in high school and the other two in middle school, a baby changes everything.  Maybe they will get their girl.”  John grabbed the carry ons while some grounds crew loaded a couple suitcases.  Most of their clothes and belongings had been shipped last week.

“We are ready to get home,” Justin said to him as he watched Brian go up the stairs.

“He’s getting better, right?  He isn’t….”

“Brian is almost 80 years old and mortality is seeping in.  He knows he probably won’t see all these friends again and Dan….well….”

“It will do him good to be at the vineyard.”

“I agree and his health  is the best it has been in some time.  He is getting stronger by the day.”

“I’m glad.  I’m not ready to lose him.” 

“Neither am I, John.” They went up the stairs and closed the door behind them.


Brian  spent a little time up front with John, but then came back and sat with Justin.  When John buzzed them asking for a bottle of water, Justin joined him in the cockpit.  “So is Antony really retiring?”

“He is training his successor.”

“How is your daughter doing?”

“I am so proud of Angelica.  She is doing an amazing job following in her dad’s footsteps.”

“How’s her husband adjusting?”

“He seems to be doing well.  Tony loves having someone to speak Italian to and we are just thrilled they decided to come back and settle near us.”

“I know the feeling.  I am ready to be back by our kids and grandkids.”

“Don’t forget the great grandbaby that will be here soon,” John winked at him.

“John, I know you aren’t that close to Marcus and Dan but….”

“It’s not good. He would be in the hospital or hospice if it wasn’t for Elliott and Danny.  Hannah helps out where she can but Dan refused to let her take time away from med school.  She will be home soon for the summer.  I just hope Dan can hold on.”

“It’s going to hit him hard.” John knew Justin meant Brian.  “They are closer than brothers.”

“Justin, I think it is good you are here for Marcus.  He, I think he needs you.  No one has said anything but I think he has been drinking a little more than ….. Never mind.  I am sure I just saw him at a bad moment.”

“Thanks, John.  I will pay attention when we are together. I better go back again.  How much more time?”

“We should be landing in 90 minutes of the wind stays in our favor.”  

Justin squeezed John’s shoulder and went back only to find Brian asleep in his seat. Justin sat down next to Brian and kissed his forehead softly. “Sleep my love.  I think it is going to be a rough afternoon.”


Brian and Justin both sighed as they dropped onto the swing on their veranda. Brian pulled Justin close, “I have missed this view. It is so perfect here.”

 “And the best part is the kids are five minutes away.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Brian kissed Justin’s neck. “I think I feel better already. Have you heard from Marcus?”

“Yes, he was in town so he is stopping on his way home. In fact, I think I hear a car now.”

Brian stood up and kissed Justin, “I’ll give you two a little space. Find out when we can go over to see Dan today.  I need to see him.”

Justin squeezed his hand.  “I will, love.  Thank you.” Brian ducked into the house just as Marcus stopped his car. Justin rushed to greet his friend and as he got to the car Marcus flung himself into his arms.

“I have never been happier to see anyone in my life,” Marcus said as Justin’s arms went around him and their lips met. They kissed for several moments before they each took a step back.

“Marcus, do you have a few minutes to sit down?”

“I don’t have much time but I have 10 minutes. Danny is with Dan but he has to pick up one of the kids from something.”

Justin could see how frazzled Marcus was.  “Brian wants to see Dan.  Can we come over, maybe around 5:00? We can pick up some dinner..”

“Please don’t bring any more food.  No one knows what we need so they bring us food.” 

Justin squeezed his hands, “Ok, Marcus.  We won’t bring food.  Is 5:00 a good time?”

“Yes, that will work.  I….I am so glad you are home. You’re staying, aren’t you?”

“We have to go away for a weekend next month but otherwise we are here for good.”

“I better go.  I know Brian isn’t always fond of us spending time alone together.”

“Brian is fine with you spending time with my husband,” Brian said as he walked out of the house and hugged Marcus. He kissed him lightly on the cheek. “Did I hear we are having dinner together?”

“Yes, I’m afraid Dan goes to bed early.”

“Marcus, we’re here for you and Dan.  Whatever you need, and if that means kissing my husband, I do understand.” Brian smiled at Marcus as he pulled Justin into his arms. “We will be there around 5:00.”


“Sunshine, when did I start looking so old?”

“Bri,” Justin put his arms around Brian’s neck running his fingers through his hair at the back of his neck. “You know you still turn heads.”  He kissed him.

“No, they are wondering what a good looking guy like you is doing with an old man like me.”

“Sweetheart, are you prepared for this? Are you sure you want to do this today.  We were up early on Eastern time.”

“I slept a couple hours on the flight and we won’t be late.  I need to do this.”  He clung to Justin for a little bit, “What am I going to do without him?”

“We will spend as much time with him as we can and we will be there so he can go gracefully when it is time.”

“I love you, Sunshine. I just….” He brought his mouth down on Justin’s with more strength than he had in months.


Justin parked the car close to the house and walked around to take Brian’s hand. “Sunshine, I want to see him alone first.  I need time….”

 

“You can have as much time as you need.” As Marcus opened the door Brian and Justin walked up the steps, hand in hand.


Chapter 2 by Simply written

Chapter 2


“It is so good to see you at our house.  I know you were here about six months ago but it seems like it's been a lot longer. Dan is dozing off.  He will be up in a little bit.  Let me get you a glass of wine,” he lifted the glass he had in his hand.

Justin had a feeling that wasn’t his first glass since he got home, “Sure, Marcus.  Sounds good.  Is there something I can do to help with dinner?”

“I have something in the oven.  It will be ready in about 40 minutes.” Marcus responded as he poured Brian and Justin a glass of wine.

Brian took a sip, “You know, I could lay down myself for a little while.  Do you mind if I join your husband?”

“No, go ahead. Brian, he…”  Marcus tilted his glass backward, draining it.

Brian kissed Marcus’ cheek, “I know, Marcus.”  Brian headed down the hall and entered the bedroom silently. He looked at the bed and saw Dan laying there under a thin blanket.  He could tell how much thinner he was in the last six months.  Brian slipped under the blanket next to him and draped his arm around his thin body.

“Red?”

“Sh...sleep, Dan.  We can talk later.” Brian kissed his cheek.  “We have lots of time to catch up.” He felt Dan relax against him before closing his eyes himself.

Justin put an arm around Marcus and directed him to  the sectional. They sat and Marcus’ head dropped onto Justin’s shoulder, “It’s too hard, Justin.  I don’t know if….it’s just too hard.” Justin wrapped his arms around him.

“Oh, Marc, I know this is hard.  I remember when Brinn was a baby and Brian struggled for the next breath…. I didn’t want to live but ….” Justin kissed his forehead, Marcus’ whole body trembled.  “We’re here for both of you.  We love both of you so much.” Justin stroked Marcus’ hair as he dropped little kisses on his cheek and forehead.

Marcus reached for his glass but Justin stopped him, “Forgetting it doesn’t make it go away. You have a family that loves you and that will always be there for you and Brian and I ….. Well, any other husbands wouldn’t have put up with us.  I love you, you know that, right?”

Marcus looked into his eyes and slowly they came together. Justin gently brushed his lips against Marcus’.  Marcus placed his hands on either side of Justin’s face and he crushed his lips against Justin’s.  The kiss went on for some time but then Justin pulled away, “Marc, I think it is time for us to set the table.  We aren’t going anywhere.  We will see each other every day.” 

Justin got up and offered his hand to Marcus, “Let’s go set the table. Will Dan be able to join us?” Marcus nodded as they walked to the kitchen.


“Brian, it is really you? I thought I had dreamed it.” Dan’s voice was a ghost of what it had been.

“You were having a nightmare, were you?” Brian smiled and kissed his friend. “Oh, am I allowed? I mean germs….”

“If you can’t kiss me, there is no use living. I am so worried about Marcus.  You will take care of him, right?”

“Trying to pawn off your husband, are you?  If you forgot, I already have one of my own.”

“I was afraid I might not see you again.”

“So you thought I would kick off before I could make it back.”

“Brian, I missed you.  You know I love Marcus with all my heart and my kids, I can’t imagine life without them but I need to know you are here for them when I won’t be.”

“Dan...of course I will.  I was trying to act like everything would be great, but we both know…”

“The doctor says I probably have a couple months. No one can deny that.”

“Are you in a lot of pain?”

“No, I’m on too many painkillers and I can take as many as I want! Reminds me of the good old days.”

“Dan, you were never into that.”

“I didn’t have my own pharmacologist like some people did.”  Dan started coughing and Brian handed him a glass of water that was on the side of the bed. After he took a sip he continued, “We better go see if dinner is ready.  I’m only good for a couple hours before I need to sleep again.”


The four men had an enjoyable meal but soon, Brian and Justin were feeling the time change so after Brian helped Dan to bed, they left with a promise to be back the next day. Once they arrived home, Brian and Justin, although it was early, they went to bed. Brian hadn’t said a word since they left Dan and Marcus. Once they were in bed, Brian laid his head on Justin’s chest.

“Bri, did you have a nice talk with Dan?”

“Justin, it’s all so real now. Dan won’t be here by the time the leaves change color. God, Justin, I can’t remember when Dan wasn’t there for me.  I remember the first time I saw him with that boyfriend of his.  I thought that if you weren’t by my side, I would have him in bed within the day.”

“And I am sure you would have.  He had it bad for you. There was a time when I was very jealous.”

“There was a time you had a reason to be. I know you were with him when we were apart.”

“I didn’t hide it from you.”

“No, you didn’t. We both had our moments but I never doubted we wouldn’t get back together. We needed to be together.”

“And I still need to be with you but,” Brian kissed him, “it will have to wait until tomorrow.  I want you but I know I am too tired to…”

Justin stroked his hair, “Good night, my love.” Together they drifted off.


Soon they got into a schedule.  Every morning they went over to Dan and Marcus’.  Justin and Marcus would take a walk or run into town while Brian and Dan talked. They usually went back mid afternoon for a few minutes but then in the evening one of their kids would come over.  Sometimes Marcus would come over for a few minutes.   The kids and grandkids popped in and out and Brian regained his strength as Dan got weaker.

“Pops, I’m a grandpa. You’re a great grandfather.  It’s a boy.  She had a boy and she named him Gabriel.  He is beautiful.  I’ll send you a picture.” 

“Brian, is it Dan? What time is it? The sun isn’t even up.” Justin said groggily.

“Not Dan.  Taylor had her baby.  It’s a boy named Gabriel.”

“Oh, Gus, I am so happy,” Justin said into the phone after pulling it out of Brian’s hand.

“Dad, I need to go.  We can go see her.  I’ll send a picture and will call you later in the morning.”  With that the phone went dead.

“Well, that was worth waking up before the sun!” Justin kissed Brian and before he knew it, Brian had him pinned to the mattress. “I can feel someone else is up before the sun, too.” Justin’s hand slid down Brian’s body and grasped him gently. “God, you’re hard, Brian.”  Justin rested his thigh on Brian’s hip and Brian entered him.  He began to move. Justin knew he had been gaining strength but this morning, Brian seemed to be back.  A new life might be just what he needed.  They had been around death too much the last year and watching his best friend die a little each day was very hard on him but he wouldn’t miss any time he could have with Dan so a baby might be just what they all needed.

“Oh, Brian Kinney, I love you!” Justin shouted as he came harder than he had in months. Brian followed with a loud grunt before collapsing backward pulling Justin with him.

“That felt amazing! What do you say we get up, take a shower, and then have breakfast with Marcus and Dan before going to see our new Great Granddaughter?”

“That sounds perfect,” Justin rolled to rest his chest on Brian’s and kissed him.  The kiss was long and slow.  He probed every nook of Brian’s mouth and soon his hand slid down Brian’s body and  when he found him hard again he moved his mouth to his ear and said,  “Think we can go one more time?”

“Turn over,” Brian said with emphasis. 


Fifteen minutes later they stood under the spray of water.   Justin slowly ran the bar of soap over Brian’s back.  “You never stop amazing me, darling. Two months ago you barely…..  Well, we will never be 40 again.”

“As long as we are together, I don’t have to be 40 again.”

Justin slid his wet body against Brian’s. “I think we better get moving.  Dan and Marc are expecting us.”  They got out and as they dressed Brian saw Justin’s look drift off.

“What is it, Sunshine? You just drifted off somewhere.”

“I was just thinking about Marcus and Dan,” he pulled on his shirt as he walked over to Brian and straightened his collar.  “I know what it 

is like to lay next to the man I love and not be able to… I wonder how long it has been since they….I just don’t know what I would do if….”

“Well, when the time comes, you and Marcus will at least have each other.”

“He isn’t you, Brian”

“I know that but you two will keep each other happy.”

“Let’s get breakfast ready,” Justin said as he walked out of the room.  He didn’t want to think of a world without Brian and after this morning he didn’t think he had to worry about that for a long time. Brian was feeling strong again.

Marcus opened the door for Brian and Justin, “I’m glad you are here.  Brian, I hope you can get him to eat something.  He didn’t eat dinner and now he is refusing breakfast.  He needs to eat.”

Brian stopped and hugged Marcus.  They always hugged but this time Brian stopped and held onto him for a few more moments, reassuring him with his touch. “I’ll do my best, Marcus.”  Justin set the basket of food they had brought, down on the counter and Brian grabbed a couple rolls and a little fruit.  “I don’t care what he eats as long as he eats.  I figure the rolls will be best for him. Or maybe this?” Brian found some oatmeal Justin  had made.  He added some cinnamon and sugar, along with a little butter and then he picked up the tray of food and moved toward the bedroom.

Justin made himself at home and poured himself a cup of coffee.  Marcus watched him as he came back to the counter and they sat down next to each other.  “You look like you are in a good mood,” Marcus said as he looked at Justin’s smiling face.


“Oh, I didn’t show you the picture.  This is Gabriel.” Justin handed his phone to Marcus.

“He’s beautiful.  You’re going to go see him, right?”

“Yes, when we leave here. Are you doing Ok? Can I do anything for you?”  Justin kissed Marcus’ cheek.

“You are here and that’s perfect.”

“We’ll always be here for you. Well, I do have a couple days we’ll be gone but we already told Danny so he has an idea when he may need to be here a little more often.”

“Danny and El are busy enough without us.”

“Well, I think Hannah is supposed to be here then, too.”

They both picked up their coffee and sipped it.


“Hey Dan, I’m a great grandpa.  Can you believe that?  Me?”

“Congratulations,” he said softly.   

Brian set the tray down and helped Dan sit up.  He picked up the bowl of oatmeal and sat down on the edge of the bed. He filled the spoon and brought it to Dan’s mouth.  Without thinking about it, Dan opened his mouth.  Brian just continued to talk as he fed Dan, not letting him think about it.  

Dan had eaten about half the bowl when he shook his head, “No more.” he said softly.

“Dan, I know what it’s like when you don’t want to eat.  I remember but you need to.  Marcus isn’t ready for you to go anywhere yet.”

“I...it might be best if I was just gone.  Last night, he doesn’t know I know, but Marcus had to get himself off.  He is still young and he is wasting his life with me.”

“He doesn’t see it that way.  He loves you.  You are his life and he is watching it…..Just don’t give up yet, Dan.  We aren’t ready for you to go.”  Brian leaned over and gently kissed him. 
“I love you, Dan Reed.  Don’t ever forget that.”

“I never doubted that, Brian. Now, go take Justin to see that baby and I will see you later. I’m really tired now.”  Dan stretched out and Brian brought the blanket up for him.  “Brian,” Brian stopped as he held the tray, “I love you, too.”

“Rest, Dan.  I’ll see you later.”


Brian and Justin left for the hospital after Brian assured Marcus Dan had eaten all of that himself.  “How is he today, Brian?”

“It’s a low day but that doesn’t mean tomorrow won’t be much better. You know how those cycles go.”   Justin sat silently for a few moments. “Spit it out, Sunshine.”

“Oh, it’s nothing, really.”

“Justin, what is it!” Brian said sharper than he meant to. “Sorry, I didn’t mean that.”  He reached and squeezed Justin’s hand.

“I’m worried about Marcus.  He desperately needs time away.”

“And?”

“I was just thinking maybe he could come with us when we go to that award thing for me in a couple weeks.  LA might be just what he needs.  It is only 2 nights and it isn’t far if we needed to…”

“Justin, why don’t I stay back and you take Marcus.”

“No, Brian.  I want you there with me.”

“How about if you two drive down for the extra stuff and I have John fly me down just for the ceremony and then I can drive back with you?  I think Marcus needs a little time alone with you but you’re right.  I want everyone to know you are mine.”

“I always have been and always will be.”  Brian pulled into the parking lot and as soon as the car was in park, Justin leaned over and kissed him.  “I think that would be perfect. I really want you there but you’re right. Marcus does need a little down time and as much as he loves you, you still make him nervous.”

“Let’s go see that great grandson.” Brian said as he stepped out of the vehicle. 

“Oh, Pops, does your heart explode every time you have a grandchild?”

“Yes, I would say that is pretty accurate.  You don’t think you can love anyone like your kids but then you see your grandkids and you know they are part of you and your kid.” Brian had an arm around Gus while Justin held little Gabriel sitting on the edge of his mother’s bed.

“Taylor, he is just perfect.”

“He is, isn’t he, Grandpa?”

“I am so glad we were here.”

“So am I, and I’m glad he,” Taylor nodded toward Brian, “is here with you.”

“Oh, yes, sweetheart, and he is doing so well.”

Taylor smiled and squeezed Justin’s hand, “I don’t know what we would do without him.”

“Who are we doing without and are you ever going to let me hold my great grandson?” Brian said as he walked over.  He kissed Taylor and then he kissed Justin as he took Gabriel from him.  “Well, Gabe, welcome to the Taylor Kinney clan.  I’m not saying you will never have struggles but you will never go without and you will always be loved.”  Brian held the infant in his large hands and brought him up and kissed his forehead before handing Gabe to his mother.

Brian and Justin didn’t stay long.  When they left Shelby and Gus were snuggling on a small sofa that was in the room with Gabe snuggled in his grandmother’s arms. As they walked down the hall they saw a familiar face at the nurse’s station.  “Trenton, it is great to see you!” Justin said as he hugged the writer. As Brian and Trent shook hands, Justin continued, “Are you here to see the baby?”

“Well, I’m here to drop off some flowers for Taylor and a little gift for Gabriel. I didn’t want to intrude.  I thought I would….”

“Get your ass down that hall.  You love Taylor and she loves you.  You go see that beautiful boy.”

“Are you sure? I don’t want to….”

“I’d go if I were you.  You don’t want Brian to get  riled.” Justin hugged him again, “Go see that baby.  It’s as close to a grandchild as you will have.”

“You’re sure it will be….” Brian literally pushed Trent toward the door.  He smiled over his shoulder and moved toward the room.

Trenton knocked softly before sticking his head in the room.  “I don’t want to bother you.  I just have a little something for you and the baby.”  He hadn’t noticed Gus and Shelby around the corner.

“Uncle Trenton, come in!  You are never a bother.” As he stepped in he saw Gus and Shelby with the baby. 

“Oh, he is so beautiful, just like his mother.”  Trenton handed Shelby the flowers and stuffed animal and then brushed a kiss on her forehead.  He then shook Taylor’s husband’s hand. “Do I need to say you are beautiful, too?” Trent asked him and everyone laughed.  It was true, Trenton thought.  Taylor had found a man anyone would be attracted to.  They all chatted pleasantly for a few minutes before Trenton said, “I really do need to keep moving.  I am supposed to have a phone interview and I need to get home and get some notes together.”

“Let me walk you out,” Gus stood.  Goodbyes were said and Gus walked out with Trenton.  “Do you have a free night?” Gus asked as they got to Trenton’s car.

“I have a lifetime of free nights,” he said a little melancholy.  He reached out and touched Gus’ cheek.  

Gus heard the tone.  He leaned forward and kissed Trenton quickly.  “Well, Shelly is going to be at Taylor’s house for a couple nights for sure and Tally may go with her or she can stay with my dads or Justice.  Let’s get away for a couple days.”

“I have a better idea.  Let’s just stay at my house.”

“I’ll call you later after I talk to Shel.” This time the kiss was long and slow.  “I’ll call you tonight.”  Before Trent could respond Gus was jogging back to the door. 

Gus at his house for more than one night.  Trenton got in his car.  Now he had some groceries to buy before going home.  They would need their energy. As he drove home he thought about what Brian said about being a grandfather and wondered if he would have been happier if he had found a man that was his but then he sighed.  They wouldn’t  have been Gus.


Brian and Justin stopped by Brinn’s on the way back home and ended up with Brennon coming with them.  “I’m going to make you my favorite lunch,” he said.

“And what is that?” Brian asked his grandson.  

“I don’t know.  I will have to see what you have in your fridge and pantry.  We have it pretty lucky.  Mom doesn’t cook but Father George is amazing.  Father George…..sounds like a priest.  I know he’s not my father but since he is Juss’ I just call him that.” Brennon talked nonstop until they were home and in the house.

“Where do you keep your pasta?”  Brennon asked.

“Brennon, don't you know that at our age we can't eat much pasta? Do you want us to  balloon up?”

 “First of all, you both look great! But I was thinking about making a pasta salad.  I see you have lots of fresh vegetables I can chop up and I bet you have some tuna. I will put a light vinaigrette on it.  You’ll love it.  Now leave me alone in the kitchen!” he waved them away.”

“You heard the boy, Sunshine.  Let’s go enjoy the veranda.”

“Sounds good to me.  I’ll set up the table out here,” Justin kissed his grandson on the cheek before walking out the door.

Half an hour later, Brennon walked out with a large bowl of salad and the dishes needed for the three of them. “Dig in,” he said as he dropped into a chair next to Brian and the men started eating.

“This is very good, Brennon.   You’ve become an excellent cook.”  Justin smiled at him.

“Thanks. I like it.  It is relaxing,” Brennon said as he began to eat.  

Justin watched him for a couple of moments, “Ok, spill.”

“Spill what?”  Brennon asked.

“You didn’t come here just to make us lunch,” Justin reached across the small table and squeezed his hand.

“Well, I have some questions and you told me I could  ask them.”

“Sure, you can,” Brian responded.

“Well, there’s this guy….”

“There’s always a guy,” Brian chuckled.  “So have you gotten together?”

“Not...yet….”

“Brian, give the boy a chance to ask us what he wants.” Brian rolled his eyes at Justin but then winked.

“He and I have been talking and we are both interested but neither of us have ever done anything and well, I don’t know if I even know where to start.”

“I suggest the lips. Lips are always good,” Brian commented.  

Now it was Justin’s turn to roll his eyes. “He isn’t wrong but there is more to it. Have you ever seen anything about sex?”

“Gramps, I wasn’t raised in a vacuum but have I seen anyone…. No.”

“Let me talk to your mom…..”

“NO! I don’t want her to know….”

“You do know that your parents were living together about your age.  Well, your dad was older.”

“Never mind, I’ll figure out….”

“Brennon, you trust us, right?” Brian put an arm around him.  “Why don’t you take the four wheeler home and come back for dinner and then you can watch a movie and ask questions.  We don’t have to watch it with you if you don’t want us to.  It just might give you a better idea about what to ask.”

“Ok, now can we talk about something else?” Brennon asked and the conversation went to the new baby.

After Brennon had left for home, Justin called Brinn to fill her in, “Hey, sweetheart.”

“Daddy, what did Bren make for you?”

“He made a good pasta salad for us.  Did he tell you his real reason for coming over?” 

“He didn’t but I know it’s about a boy. I know my kids, just like you always knew us.  Did he tell you who it is?”

“No, but he’s coming to spend the night tonight.”

“Oh, ok. Why?”

“Can’t a grandson want to visit his….”

“Come on, Daddy.”

“He wants to know about sex and since he has never been exposed to gay sex….”

“You aren’t going to do it in front of him….”

“Give us more credit than that.  We thought we’d just let him watch a very tasteful movie and then we will be there if he has any questions.”

“I trust you, Daddy.  I know you love him as much as we do.”  

“You know that’s true. Tell him to come anytime but we will be gone for a while in the later afternoon.  We always go to see Dan and Marcus.”

“How is Uncle Dan? I try to get there once a week but I didn’t get there this week yet.”

“Today isn’t a good day but he will have a better day soon.”

“I will try to get there over the next weekend.”

“Oh, Brinny, I was going to mention, the weekend I get my award, I am going to invite Marcus along. Bri will fly down on Saturday for the actual award but Marc and I will go down on Thursday. He needs a break.”

“I can understand that.  Who will be there?”

“I think Hannah.”

“I will make sure I spend some time there with her.”

“That would be perfect. Now, I just have to convince him to come along.”         

“Assure him I am here to help in any way. It’s Uncle Dan.”

“Thanks, Brinny.  We’ll take care of your boy tonight. You know Zander could come, too.  It wouldn’t hurt him to understand his brother’s questions.”

“I’ll talk to him.  I agree with that.  I mean those two are very close but this is an area they don’t share.  I’ll let you know.”


“You ready to go to Dan and Marcus’ house?” Justin asked as Brian walked up.

“Give me a hug first.  I think I might need it.” They stepped into each other's arms.  Justin pulled him close and brought his lips up to Brian’s.  When they separated Brian looked into his face, “I wasn’t lying when I told Brennon that lips were the first thing. Those lips have brought me through a lot. Oh, by the way, Zander is coming for the night, too.”              

“Well, pizza or tacos for dinner?” Justin asked.

“Do we have what we need for both?”  Brian questioned.

“We do.”

“Then let’s do tacos.  That way I can just make a salad and cut the carbs.”

“Darling, you are 80 years old, almost.  You don’t have any issues with your blood sugar.  Eat what you want.”  Justin laughed as he kissed him once more.  “I love you no matter what you look like and you always look good to me.”

“You know, I have been thinking that way for 60 years.”

“Well enjoy your last 20.”


They drove to Dan and Marcus’ house.  As they rode, Justin said, “I will talk to Marcus about the trip.”

“I’ll mention it to Dan, too, but I think he will want Marcus to go.  He knows the stress it is putting on Marcus and he is feeling guilty about that. You and I need to talk about that trip but now's not the time.” Brian slowed the car, “Looks like Danny is here. Maybe whoever sees him should mention the trip.  In case he knows something we don’t.”

They entered the house without ringing the bell.  “Hey, Justin, Brian, great to see you!” Danny came over and hugged each of them.

“Where’s Marcus?” Brian asked.

“He had to run into town for work.  He should be back in about ten minutes.”

“Well, I’m going to go talk to Dan.  Sunshine can you….”

“I’ve got this.  Go.”

“Well, that sounds like you were hoping to see me,” Danny sat down by the kitchen counter.

“I have to go to LA for this award thing and we were thinking it would be good for Marcus to get away.  It would be 3 days and John will be on hand in case he has to fly back in a hurry.  Is there any reason he shouldn’t be gone?”

“No, I think that is perfect.  He needs a little break.”

“Brian is only flying down on Saturday for the ceremony and we will be home Sunday afternoon.  We would probably leave shortly after lunch on Thursday.  Maybe we will fly too.  But there’s no imminent danger for Dan is there?”

“No, there are no promises with this disease, but I would say he will be around yet for a couple months.  He actually has gotten stronger since you are visiting regularly. Brian always has had an effect on Dad. He….” Danny stopped talking for a minute. He turned and put his arms around Justin, “I can’t believe he’s going to be gone soon.  I think back to the night Marcus brought me home and Dan? Well, Dan wasn’t ‘the father’ type. He was a natural.”  Danny’s voice quivered as he put his head down on Justin’s shoulder.

“He fell in love with you.  You were good for both of them and you are the best son imaginable.”  As Justin kissed his cheek, Marcus came in through the garage. “Hey, Marcus, we came in a little early because we have dinner plans with our grandsons.”

Marcus walked over and kissed both Justin and Danny, “So I almost missed you?”

“We have a few minutes.  I was just talking to Danny about the trip I’m making to LA and you’re coming with me.”

“Me! LA! Oh that would be….I can’t go.  I need to stay here with Dan.”

Danny stood and put an arm around Marcus’ waist.  “You are going.” He kissed Marcus’ cheek and walked toward Dan’s room.

“Justin, I can’t desert…..”

“You aren’t deserting him.  It will be about 3 days.  Brian will be here most of the time and, Marc, you will be much better for Dan after a short break.  I checked with Danny and he said there is no problem with you going and we will have John on standby just in case.”

“Oh, Justin, that sounds really good. Yes, I would love to go.”

“Well, we will leave a week from today and come back on Sunday. I will make plans for dinner on Thursday evening. On Friday there is a cocktail party and the awards are on Saturday.  Brian will be there for that.”

“So it will be just the two of us?”

“It will be for the most part. We can do as little or as much as you want during the day.  I’ve been given the penthouse suite.  It has a private lap pool and jacuzzi.  We don’t have to leave the hotel if we don’t want to.”

Marcus moved toward Justin and kissed him. There was a need to the kiss, not necessarily a sexual need but a need for something.  “Excuse me,” Brian said as he entered the kitchen.  Sorry to interrupt but my husband and I need to get home.” He physically removed Jusin from the stool he sat on and led him out the door.

“Brian, you aren’t upset are you? I mean if you are we may have to talk about this trip.”

Brian took a deep breath. “Old habits. Sunshine, you’re still my husband and I know that you and Marcus, well, we’ve talked about it but that doesn’t make it easy, for me to think about the two of you…”  They got in the car.

“Brian, I understand if you don’t want Marcus and I to….I mean it has always been our rule that we only play when it is all four of us. But I think Marc needs….I’m not saying we should actually fuck but…. You call the shots.  I will follow your direction and I know you.  You need to mull this over a bit.”  Brian parked the car by their house.

“If you don’t need help with dinner, I’m going to go to my office for a while,” Brian said as he started to walk away.

“Bri,” Justin stepped up to him and kissed him.  “You don’t have anything to worry about.  My heart has been right here,” he tapped Brian’s chest, ”for 50 years.  It isn’t going to lose its way.”

Brian met his eyes and smiled, “I know, Sunshine.”


Soon the house was full of life.  Brennon and Zander arrived in a wave of energy.  Brennon started chopping lettuce while Zander set the table.  “Where’s plural?” Brennon asked Justin.

“He’s in the office.  If he’s not out by the time dinner’s ready we can go get him.  He just had a couple things to look at.”

Brian sat in his office. He hadn’t even bothered to turn on his computer.  Was he really going to let his husband, the man he loved more than life itself, be with another man? It was their best friend and they had been together in many situations but he had always been there with him.  He knew he was being ridiculous but it was hard to come to grips with the fact that there would be a day that Marcus and Justin would be together.  And right now, he didn’t doubt Justin’s love and he didn’t doubt Marcus loved Dan.  Marcus needed Justin and it was up to them what they did.

Brian joined Justin and the twins just as the food was finished.  They all laughed and joked around throughout the meal and then Brian and Justin went back to their room while the teenagers watched the video Justin had for them. 

When the video was done, Zander looked at his brother, “Are you sure you want…”

“Zan, you know it isn’t an option of wanting or not wanting.  I love girls but I don’t want to make love to them.  I look at a guy, not all guys, but I look at a guy and I get that feeling.  I know you’ve had that feeling.”

“Ya, but I haven’t fucked anyone.  I have…. Well, I’ve felt her breasts and one time I got like just millimeters away from getting under her underwear.  I just wanted to see what it felt like in there.”

“Well, think of where I will be putting my fingers,” Brennon commented. “But when I see a cute guy who is nice…. All I want is to feel him inside and out.”

“Did you think it would be like the movie?”

“Well, I knew it had to be something like that but you could see they liked it.  Do you think Gramps plural did it like that?”

“I think that is just one of a lot of ways they have done it, from the stories people tell,” Zander laughed a little.  “It's weird to think about your grandpas like that.”

“Well, I think I will go talk to, probably Grandpa Justin.  I just have a couple questions.”

“I’ll go hang with Grandpa Brian so you can be alone.”

They knocked on the door and Justin went across the hall with Brennon while Zander entered the room with Brian.

Brennon dropped on the bed and Justin dropped down next to him,  “So was the movie what you thought it would be?”

“It must be worth it, right?”

“Worth what, Brennon?”  Justin asked as he pulled his grandson close.

“It obviously hurts and I am just guessing that you….well….”

“I’m the bottom?” Justin smiled, “Most of the time but your grandpa takes his turn. And yes there is discomfort but over time even though there is a little pain, well for me anyway, it just gets me that much more excited.”  He saw Brennon cringe a little bit. “I’m sorry, you don’t want to think about your old grandpas doing anything like that.”

“Grandpa, the first time….was it really bad?  I mean was the guy careful?  I don’t know if I am a top or a bottom or….”

“Brennon, it was your grandpa and he was amazing.  Yes, there was pain but, oh god, just looking in his face….he was great.  I fell in love with him that night.  If I’m honest, I think he fell in love with me, too but he didn’t know it yet.” He hugged Brennon, “You know you don’t have to do much of anything if you don’t want to.  Spend time together touching and kissing.  You’ll know if it is right.  Get comfortable with each other and it will just come to you.”

Brennon rolled over and gave Justin a quick kiss on the lips.  “Thanks, Gramps.  Can I come talk if…”

“You can come talk to either of us anytime.”


Zander sat on the edge of the king sized bed. He was fidgeting. Brian patted the bed next to him and Zander laid down and then surprisingly snuggled against Brian.  “Grandpa, can I ask a question?”

“Of course you can.  We have very few secrets in this family.”

“I watched the video and it didn’t gross me out or anything but ….. I know there is some pain but is it dangerous? I mean, I always thought of that as an...well and exit, not an entrance.  Can it be dangerous? I just don’t want anything to happen to Brennon.”

“Well, first of all, if you are having sex, I hope you are using condoms because that is the most danger for both of you.”

“I haven’t and I know he hasn’t.”

“As for getting hurt, your grandpa and I have had sex for 50 years and once we had an incident.  It was just an accident but I did injure him or the act of our sex had injured him.  It was so long ago, I can’t even remember exactly what happened but I felt terrible.  Justin had to be in bed for a couple days and he didn’t blame me but I did but that was over 40 years ago and we have never had anything else like that.  Brennon is a smart young man and he always has us to talk to.  We didn’t have that.  And if you ever think he should talk to us, let us know.  We know you will all learn from your mistakes but if it is something serious, we want to help.”

“Thanks, Grandpa.  I’m glad Brennon has you to talk to.”   Zander smiled at him, “Can I go raid your refrigerator?”

“If it’s there, you can have it. Zan?”

“Ya?”

“We love you, both.  You know that, right?”

“Grandpa, my friends sometimes think our family is a little screwed up but they all wish they could be part of it because we don’t have lies and it is always obvious we all love each other.”

Zander was just coming out of the master as Brennon came out of the room across the hall, followed by Justin.  “I was just going to raid the fridge. You hungry?”

“Always, Bro,” Brennon said, putting his arm around Zander’s shoulder.  The two moved toward the kitchen.

“So did you have an interesting conversation?” Brian asked Justin.

“Just what you would expect.  He is nervous. He doesn’t realize, unless he finds an older guy, they will both be nervous. Not everyone has a teacher like I did.” Justin kissed Brian, pressing his whole body against him. When they separated he said, “Let’s go see if the boys found anything good to eat.”


Gus called Trenton late that night.  Shelby had just gone to bed and Gus stepped out on the deck to talk to him.  “Hey Pen,” Gus said softly.  “I’ll be there tomorrow night and I will probably stay for three nights unless that’s too long.

Trent wanted to say it was never long enough but managed to stop himself.  “I’ll be here. You don’t want me to set up the spare room, do you?” he laughed as he said it.

“Smart ass,” Gus said, “Is there anything I can bring along?”

“A couple bottles of that wine I like the best would be great.”

“I already made sure I had some in the house. I….it’s been too long since we had time together, like more than a quick night together.”

“Gus, I…. I think we should be able to sleep on the porch.  Should be about perfect. Gus, I” he almost said he loved him.  “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yes, Pen,  I’ll be there mid afternoon.”

Taylor got to go home in the morning and after he made sure his daughter and grandson were settled in with her husband and Shelby, he went home and grabbed the wine that was alcohol free and his overnight bag and left.  He didn’t plan to need much clothes because he didn’t plan to wear it that much. He figured they would be in their robes most of the time so he made sure he had his packed.  He hadn’t felt like this for quite a while.  He was going to spend three nights with the man he loved.  And yes, he did love Trenton. And his dad was right.  He needed to say it. He had said it in the throws of passion a couple times but he was going to make sure, before he left, that Trenton knew he was loved, more than Gus could even really comprehend.

Gus had to put the cruise control on because he kept going too fast.  When he turned into Trent’s driveway, he actually stopped and looked in the mirror, running his hands through the curls.  He really did need a haircut. He drove the rest of the way to the house and as he got out the front door opened and Trenton stood there. Gus took a deep breath and opened the back door to grab his bag and the bag with the wine and then he turned and walked to the front door and into Pen’s arms. He set both bags down so he could wrap his arms around Trenton and as their lips met Gus was already pulling at Trent’s shirt. And then they were both naked and together they explored each other’s bodies.  They had been together about 20 years but it was still always like the first time. They often had to wait a couple weeks to see each other just making their time together that much more special. 

After making love they lay on the large sofa together and stroked each other’s skin.  A finger along an arm or a palm brushing a hip they were both soon ready again and this time switching positions, Gus entered him.  “Oh, god, Gus, I have missed you so much.” After a short rest they put on their robes and as Trenton put dinner together, Gus brought his bag to the master bedroom.  He had remodeled the house for Trenton a few years ago adding a master suite to the main floor but keeping the character of the mission style house still as charming as it had always been. Gus had moved the swinging bed so it was located just outside of the bedroom now and it had a perfect view of the valley below.  Gus saw that Trenton had brought extra pillows and blankets out there so they could sleep out there more comfortably. He had even put a TV and sound system out there so it was literally additional living space.  They ate dinner out on the porch and then went to bed.  After spending the evening naked, in each other's arms they fell asleep with a light breeze rustling Gus’ curls.

The next day they spent in and out of bed.  They did dress at one point and rode motorcycles for a couple hours before returning for another round of love making.  After dinner a rain shower came up along with a stiff breeze so the two sat on the sofa talking and listening to soft music.  “Pen, do you regret this?”

“Regret what, Gus?”

“Do you regret our relationship when I couldn’t…..I wasn’t free?”

“No, Gus.  I don’t regret falling in love with you.  You were always honest with me and early on, I was in no state of mind to make a commitment to anyone.  By the time I fell in love with  you, by the time I realized it, I couldn’t be without you anymore than I could stop breathing. He rotated his body so he looked directly into Gus’ brown eyes.  He put a hand on Gus’ chest and said I will love you until the day I die.”

Gus placed his hand over Trenton and looking deeply into his eyes he said, “Pen, I couldn’t want more in my life.  I don’t know what I would do if I had more.  I have a wife who loves me even with all my faults.  I have three great kids and now, oh, now I have a perfect grandson.” Trenton sighed.  He had heard Gus say similar things many times but Gus wasn’t through. “Trenton, you are part of that perfect life and I know I haven’t said it often enough but I love you, Pen, and without you, I would have an empty spot in my life and I don’t think I could have ever found someone else that would put up with me.” Now Gus put a hand on either side of Trenton’s face, “I love you,” he moved his mouth to Trenton’s and the electricity that passed between them was almost more than either of them could absorb.  That night they lay in Trenton’s bed with their bodies tightly against each other, arms and legs entwined. 

Their time together went quickly.  Gus had talked to Shelby every day but he had to go back to the real world and work.  Shelby was going to spend one more night with Taylor but Ian’s mother was going to spend some time with them and he had an early meeting the next morning so he packed his bag and as they said goodbye on the front step.

“Gus, I’ll see you soon.  I love you,” Trent said as he ran his fingers through Gus’ hair.

“Trenton, I love you, too.  I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” Gus kissed him once more and then jogged to the truck.


The next week moved quickly.  Justin and Marcus would be leaving the next day for LA and as Brian and Justin lay together in bed, after making love. Brian turned to Justin, “Sunshine, I know you love me.  I trust you.  You and Marcus, do what is right.  You will know what he needs.  You always know what people need.  I just don’t need to know about it.”

“You’re right you know.  I love him but that is a whole different level.”

“I know, Sunshine, and I trust you.  Just make sure you touch base with me a couple times a day.”

“Of course, I will.  I’ll miss you.  Maybe you should see about sleeping at Dan’s. I know he doesn’t always want someone sleeping with him but if he does….”

“I plan to do that.  I know Hannah will be there but he might like a guy around. I know I wouldn’t feel comfortable having my daughter have to help with my junk.”

“Brian, maybe Dan, if he is up to it, might like to play a little, too.  I am sure with Marcus, he feels inadequate but he …..”

“We’ll play it by ear, Sunshine.”

They had decided to fly down to LA so, after picking up Marcus, Brian drove them to the airport.  John was waiting at the airport along with Tony.  Now that he was retired they were enjoying the little jaunts here and there.  They would fly back to pick up Brian on Saturday morning but they would stay in LA until then just in case Dan took a turn for the worse and Marcus had to rush back.  Marcus followed John and Tony onto the plane leaving Justin with Brian to say goodbye.

“Brian, I’ll text when we land.”

“Ok, call me tonight, Ok, Sunshine?  I miss you already.  It’s been a very long time since we have slept apart.”

“It has.  I love you, Brian Kinney. I will call tonight.”

 

“I love you, too, Sunshine.” They kissed once more and as John started the plane engines, Justin went up the steps and Brian walked to the car.  He stayed and watched the plane take off.  They wouldn’t be sleeping together but he couldn’t stop the nagging thought that he knew Justin wouldn’t be sleeping alone.


Chapter 3 by Simply written

Chapter 3


The plane had barely left the ground and Marcus’ head dropped onto Justin’s shoulder.  Justin could feel his body relax. He had a feeling Marc would be sleeping most of the day today. Marcus had been excited about doing something but Justin knew Marcus needed to let his body relax.

The flight was short and soon Tony came back and said, “We are going to be landing in about 20 minutes so buckle up.” He looked at Marcus who was still sleeping.  “Is he alright?”

“Yes, this is just the first time in months that he has let himself relax.  He knows Dan is out of his reach and is being well taken care of so he can shut down.”

“I can’t imagine.  He is only a few years older than we are and I can’t imagine knowing I would lose John.” Tony went silent for a moment, “I better get back so we can land.”  

Justin kissed the top of Marcus’ head, “Marc, we’re landing.”

“Oh, Justin, I’m sorry. How long have I been sleeping?”

“Nearly two hours.  You needed that.  I don’t know what you want to do today but can I suggest we don’t do much today.  We can go out to a nice dinner but otherwise, let’s just stay in.”

“I think you’re right and tomorrow maybe we can do a little shopping?”

“Now, I like the way you think.  I brought something to wear Friday and Saturday but if I can find the right thing….I just feel old lately so maybe something new will help.”

Marcus was silent for a moment and then said, “I sometimes wish I was older so after Dan…..well, what do I have to live for?”

“Oh, Marc…” Justin touched his cheek, “I will always need you.”

“No, you have Brian and we both know I’m not his favorite.”

“He just knows you are one of my weaknesses.  He knows he has nothing to worry about but that jealousy gnaws at him and I don’t mind that,” Justin smiled mischievously. Brian’s ego can still handle it. The minute it can’t….”

“I know you would never do anything to hurt him and you would do anything to save him any pain.”

“Just like you would take his pain away if you could.”  Justin wrapped his arms around Marcus as the tears began to roll and they felt the plane begin to descend.

Marcus had pulled himself together by the time Tony came out of the cockpit and the plane came to a stop. There was a limo waiting for them and even a photographer that was taking pictures as they got into the car and were rushed away like celebrities.

“Wow, that was crazy.  Has this happened to you before?”

“A couple times.  Both Brian and I have had our share of events and of course when Brinn was kidnapped and when we were all held hostage, both brought more attention than we wanted.”

“You really have had a lot to deal with over the years,” Marcus kissed him.

“The next two days, we have no struggles.  It is just you and me, loose in the big city.” Justin threw his head back and laughed. “It has been a while since I was carefree myself.”

“Yes, losing your mom must have been hard and Brian’s illness but you have always dealt with things better than I am able to.”

“It has come with practice and let’s hope you never have to learn how to cope with that much but if you do we will deal with it together.”  The car door was opened and the driver said he would have the bags sent to the penthouse.  Justin was greeted at the door and both Justin and Marcus were given a card to the room which also got them on the private elevator. When the doors opened an amazing view of the city spread out before them.  “I don’t know about you but,” Justin pulled his shirt off over his head, “I’m going to swim and soak up some sun.”  Justin was tugging off his pants by the time he got out on the rooftop garden where the pool was located.  

Marcus followed him out and stood there as Justin stripped naked and dove into the pool.  He slowly removed his own clothes and then stood on the edge of the pool stretching out the kinks.  He had lost weight over the last few months, probably too much.  Justin popped up at the other end of the pool, “Come join me,” he openly looked Marcus up and down.  He was a beautiful man with the sheen of light red hair over his legs. Marcus started going down the steps in the pool as Justin moved toward him. He and Brian had a similar build which might be what drew him to Marcus all those years ago.  The long limbs were too thin now. “We need to fatten you up a bit.  Well, fatten isn’t the right word but you need to gain back a little bit.”

Marcus stood a short distance from Justin. “Justin, what are we doing this week? I mean, is there a plan? And I’m not asking about shopping,” he slid his hand down Justin’s chest.

Justin took a step closer and kissed Marcus lightly.  “Marc, you are in charge of where it goes and what we do but there is no rush.  Right now, let’s just swim and then relax together. Justin kissed him once more, this time a little longer but with no demands. And then he swam off. This time, Marcus was right behind him.  They swam laps for the next several minutes and then the two of them  stretched out on a lounge chair together. Justin linked fingers with him and then closed his eyes as the sun kissed their skin.  When he opened his eyes fifteen minutes later Marcus was again sound asleep.  He stood carefully, not wanting to wake him and moved the umbrella to block his fair skin from the sun before he moved inside.  

He took this chance to call Brian. “Hey, darling, can you talk?”

“Hey Sunshine, how is Marcus? Is he relaxing a little without wine?”  Brian asked.

“We swam for a while and now he is asleep out in the garden.  He slept all the way here on the plane, too.  He is exhausted physically and mentally.”

“What are you wearing, Sunshine?” Brian said huskily.

Justin laughed softly, “Nothing.  I came in with a towel  but it’s draped on the chair now. Are you missing me already?”

“I just want to picture your beautiful body.”

“It might have been beautiful once but that’s been a long time ago.  That was before Australia.”

“Remember that hut we lived in? The water was so clear and we made love so many times…”

“That was one of the best months of my life. Are you home right now?”

“Yes, I am just packing my overnight bag and plan to go back.  You can tell Marcus that Hannah has arrived and is taking good care of her dad.  Sunshine, I told her I would be there in five minutes so she can run and errand.  I love you.”

“Oh, Bri, I love you, too.  We are going out to dinner soon and then I really expect him to sleep through the night.”

“Well, I’ll talk to you tomorrow, Sunshine.”

“Goodnight, and Brian, take care of yourself, too. I expect you to be a willing and able partner on Saturday evening.”

“Oh, don’t worry, love.”

“Justin?” Marcus walked in as Justin hung up.

“Hey, Marc, did you have a nice nap?”

“Ya, thanks for moving the umbrella.  I would have been a lobster. I should head into the shower.  Use whatever one you want and I will take the other one.  We still have a couple hours until our reservations but if we wanted to go early for a drink or two we could.  I thought we could walk to the restaurant and then have the hotel send a car for us when we are ready to return.”

“That sounds great.” Marcus picked up his bag and walked to the distant bedroom.  Thirty minutes later both men were showered and shaved.  They were dressed in khakis and button downs.  

“Are you ready for a stroll?’ Justin asked, holding out his hand.  Marcus nodded and took Justin’s hand, squeezing it.  “You look better already.  You have a little color and you look rested.”

“Are you trying to tell me I looked horrible?” he said as they exited the elevator on the ground floor.

“Not at all, Marc.  You looked like a man who has been caring for his husband and not thinking about himself.  I’m going to give the concierge a heads up that we are going to need a car later.” 

As Justin walked away a young man came up to Marcus, “Is that Justin Taylor?” 

“Oh, yes it is.  Are you here for the artist events this week?”

“I am and  have been a fan or Mr. Taylor since I saw the original paintings of him and his husband.  Oh, you're not his husband.  He was married to an older guy, are you a new husband?”

“I don’t know you so I am not sure why you are talking to my friend about my personal life,” Justin walked up being very protective of Marcus.

“Oh, Mr. Taylor, I didn’t mean….I am sure you don’t remember me but we have met before .” He introduced himself and as he talked, Justin did remember the young man.

“You are getting an award tomorrow at the cocktail party, aren’t you?”

“I am, sir.  I can’t believe you remember that.”

“I like your work.  This is my friend, Marcus.  My husband is joining us on Saturday but Marcus and I are going to do some shopping and exploring tomorrow.  I’d like to talk to you a little more but we have reservations.  Maybe  we can talk at the party tomorrow?”

“Oh, I’d love that.  Thank you, Mr. Taylor.”

“Justin, please.  We will talk tomorrow.” Justin slipped his arm in Marcus’ and they walked out the door.

“Does that happen very often?”

“I should have warned you it might happen while we were here.  With all the artists and art dealers around, I thought it might happen.  Just another reason not to hang out down here much.”

Justin had asked for a private table and they were escorted to a table out of the main pathway.  Justin sat out of the line of sight of the main dining room and the two had a quiet dinner together. They shared a bottle of wine and Justin noticed Marcus reaching out more as the evening went on. He touched Justin’s arm and then stroked his cheek.  When Justin noticed some whipped cream on the edge of Marc’s mouth he took his finger and wiped it off and then stuck it in his own mouth.

Marcus shivered, “Justin, can we go back to the hotel?”

“Sure.  Is something wrong?”

“No, I just…..I need to kiss you so bad I think  I will explode if I can’t do it soon.”

“Well, we don’t want any exploding in public,” Justin smiled at him.  “Let me pay the tab and,” he took out his phone and sent a message to the hotel, “I just sent for the car.” He handed his card to their server and then he laid his hand on Marcus, thigh and gently massaged it. Marcus didn’t dare move until the bill was paid and they were walking out the door.  The car pulled up for them just as they stepped out and as soon as they were in the car Marcus pressed Justin down on the back seat and kissed him until they were both breathless.  Marcus began to fumble with Justin’s pants but Justin stopped him. “Marc, take some deep breaths.  We are almost at the hotel.  Just wait.” 

Once in the lobby, Justin and Marcus walked to the private elevator and as soon as the doors closed he again had Justin pinned to the wall but as the doors opened and Marcus stepped back he slumped a bit. “I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t...I can’t….we can’t…” Marcus rushed to his room and shut the door. Justin looked at the closed door and after he had kicked off his shoes and unbuttoned his shirt he walked to Marcus’ door.  He tapped softly and checked the door.  It was unlocked and he walked in going over to the bed where Marcus lay.  He sat down and began to unbutton Marcus’ shirt.  He helped him slip it off and then undid Marcus’ fly.  He helped Marcus slip off his pants and then he did the same, leaving his briefs on. He lay behind Marcus and spooned up against him.  

“Marc, you aren’t doing anything our husbands don’t want us to.” As Justin kissed Marcus’ neck he reached around and slipped his hand into Marcus’ briefs and began to stroke him gently.  Justin was fairly sure Marcus was crying softly as Justin made him cum using only his hand.  He brought his now sticky hand up and laid it on Marc’s abdomen.  “I love you, Marc.  I know I’m not Dan, and I never will be but I’m here for you.” It was only seconds later when Justin knew he was sleeping again.


Brian woke up next to Dan.  He hadn’t planned to sleep next to him but after helping him to the bathroom and back into bed, Dan had asked him to stay until he fell asleep so he laid next to him.  “Brian,” he said softly, “Is Justin and Marcus ...”

“Yes, darling Dan. Marcus loves you so much but he needed time away. You and I know our husbands love us but they are still young.”

“I hope Justin gives him what he needs. I just can’t…” Dan slowly turned over to look at Brian. “I’ve told him to leave.  I’ve told him he doesn’t need to stay.”

“Our husbands love us and they are loyal,” Brian wrapped his arm around Dan and held him close.  He then pulled him even closer and kissed him, then slowly rolling over so his body pressed Dan into the mattress. He took the kiss a little deeper as Dan put his hand on the back of his head until Brian slowly pulled away.  Dan turned away from Brian again and Brian spooned with him. Once they were comfortable, Brian said softly, “I love you, my friend.  We aren’t ready to lose you yet.” Brian blinked rapidly as his eyes filled with tears and then drifted off to sleep.


Justin woke to his phone vibrating.  He grabbed it off the nightstand and slipped out of bed, not wanting to wake Marcus.  He slipped out of the room and answered the phone as he walked to the roof. “Good morning, Brian.”

“Hey Sunshine, I missed you last night.”

“I missed you, too, baby.”

“So were you up all night having fun?”

“Brian, I held him as he fell asleep. Where did you sleep last night?”

“I slept with Dan.  He said he hoped you were screwing Marcus.”

“He did not! Brian you’re lying.”

“Well, he didn’t use those words but that’s what he meant. He knows the stress he is under.”

“How is Dan this morning?”

“He is actually quite perky.”

“What did you do to give him all that energy?” Justin asked suggestively.

“I held him,” he said flatly.

“Oh, baby, I’m sorry.  I know it isn’t easy.  Honestly, that is all I did last night, too. He was just so exhausted I got him to sleep as much as I could.  Now today, we are going to shop when he wakes up.”

“Do I need to put a limit on the credit card?” Brian laughed.

“I promise I won’t buy any buildings.”

“Sunshine, you can buy anything you want except a toy boy,” Brian’s low seductive laugh had Justin’s dick responding.

“Bri, you know you don’t have to worry about that.”

“I know, love. I better go.  Brinn is coming to have breakfast with Danny and I will….”

“You will do whatever your friend needs.  I’ll call you later.”

“Have a good day.”

“Was that Brian? Is Dan alright?” anxiety crossed his face.

Justin walked up to him and kissed him, “Dan is fine.  Brian said he slept well.”

“My anxiety probably adds to his stress.  Maybe spending time away from him would be best.”

“Marc, you know Dan wants you with him but he also knows you need a break which is why you are here.” Justin dropped his briefs.  “I’m taking a dip before breakfast. Join me?”

Within seconds they were both swimming laps and then Justin felt a tug on his ankle pulling him under and when he popped up Marcus slid up next to him dragging his lips up from his waist to his mouth.  Justin draped his arms around Marcus’ neck and pressed his body tightly against him. They stood there in each other’s arms for some time before Justin stepped back a bit.

“I think it’s time for breakfast.”

“Yes, I am getting a little hungry.”

“Well, let’s order anything and everything.  Then we can go shopping for several hours followed by lots of alcohol and a good meal.” Justin got silent for a moment and then said, “And after that...it’s your call Marcus.  Our husbands know and it’s your call.”

Marcus didn’t say anything as he dried off and pulled on a robe but in a few minutes they were drinking coffee and waiting impatiently for breakfast to arrive.  They decided to dress and that way when breakfast was done they would be ready to go.


Brinn arrived to have breakfast with Danny while Brian made sure Dan ate his meal.  “Danny, it has been too long,” Brinn stepped into her best friend’s arms.

“I agree, Tia. I have just been so busy that I…”

“I totally know what you have been doing.  You and Elliott barely have time to talk to each other, let alone see friends. How is Uncle Dan doing?”

“I didn’t think he would last this long but your dads coming home has actually helped him.  He seems to draw energy from Brian.”

“Yes, they always did.  They have been friends for so long. They energize each other.”

“Too bad nothing can….” Danny turned from Brinn and handed her an empty plate.  Grab whatever you want and then we can go sit out on the deck.  It is nice out there yet.  Later it will be too hot.”

They each filled a plate and took a mug of coffee out to the patio area.  “How are your kids?” Brinn asked as she nibbled on a cinnamon roll.

“They are both so wonderful.  Who knew having a couple kids would complete a life.” Danny took a sip of coffee.  “I might need your help this summer, Brinn.  Hannah has been a huge help with Emma.  When she needs a woman’s opinion, she relies on her but she is getting ready for college and Hannah is already stretched to the limits.  It might be one of those times she needs a pseudo mom.”

“You know I am always here for your daughter.  When she was little I filled that a lot more often but as Hannah grew, she didn’t need me.  But you’re right, I see this being very hard on your sister.  I remember how hard it was on her when her mom passed away five years ago and that was for a woman she really never knew.  It won’t be easy on any of us.”

“I think we are all preparing ourselves.  Dad will soon be unable to enjoy life and then…. Brinn, how am I going to live without him here?  He’s the one I always went to when I needed advice,” Danny’s eyes filled with tears.

“Danny, you go to him but, you and Elliott are amazing men who, because you have learned from these great men, you’ll be fine. And you know my dads are here for you.” Brinn moved to Danny’s side and held him.

“I owe him and Marcus everything.  If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be alive today.  I know I would have died on the streets.”

“But they did find you and didn’t give up on you and you are such an amazing man.”

“Well, I am going to get another cup of coffee and since your dad and Hannah are here today, Elliott and I are going to have an early dinner together.  I think my son is crashing at your house.”

“You know Cadan is always welcome. I could use another cup myself.”


It was about 5:00 pm when Marcus and Justin arrived at the penthouse.  There were already several bags by the door and there were more that would be delivered tonight.  They had spent a great deal of money and had enjoyed every minute of it. They dropped on the sofa together and before either realized it they were kissing and touching.  

Eventually Justin softly said, “Marcus, I think I could use a nap.  We have enough time to get some sleep and then….well, tonight we will feel rested.  I know you don’t realize it but you could use some rest. Join me?” Justin offered his hand and together they walked into the room that was the larger of the two.  They stripped down to their briefs and before Justin realized what he was doing, Marcus spooned him and soon he slipped his hand into Justin’s briefs.  “Marc, we are supposed to….oh, god, that feels good.”

“I owe you after last night,” Marcus commented as he brought Justin to climax and then he moved his sticky hand to mirror what Justin had done the night before and the men dozed off together.


Dan was sitting in a chair feeling the sun on his skin, “Brian, I think I need to lie down now,” he said after sitting up for half an hour.

“Sure, Dan.” Brian helped him to his feet and nearly carried him to the bed and made sure he was comfortable. Brian sat on the bed next to him.

“Do you think they have…”

“Dan, it’s best not to let your mind go there.  I know I can’t.  They will come home to us because they love us.”

“Brian, that’s true but they love each other, too.”

“You’re right but it is different and they always come back to us because we hold their hearts.”

“Yes, Brian. You are right.  My life would have been so empty without Red. You’ll take care of him, right?”

“I think it is more like Justin and Marcus will have to take care of me but he will always be family.”

“Thanks, Bri…..an,” Dan drifted off to sleep as Brian bent and kissed his cheek.


Marcus and Justin made a stunning couple.  After they had napped, they had dressed in new clothes they had picked up on their shopping trip.  Justin had found a sky blue silk shirt that had a swirled pattern of the same color, only showing up in the right light.  The navy trousers he had bought fit him like a second skin over his ass and, looking in the mirror, Justin decided he looked pretty good for a guy who was 68.  Marcus had bought a similar shirt in a jade green and his black pants showed off his lean build.

Justin looked at him appreciatively.   Marcus was a great looking man and together, they would definitely draw the attention of the other attendees tonight.  “Marc, you know seeing you in that…” he walked over and kissed him.  “God, you are beautiful. But tonight, in public, even though I know Brian is fine with this, I don’t want a story to pop up about me leaving my older husband for a gorgeous younger model.”

“I would never want that but when you look that good, it is hard to keep my hands off you.” Marc placed his hands on Justin’s cheeks and kissed him, taking it to the next level as his tongue explored Justin’s mouth but then he stopped and backed off.  “I, I just…..DAMN!”

“Marc, relax.  Stop thinking and have fun.  Dan loves you and you love him with all your heart.  He knows that.  It will be a fun evening.  That’s all that matters tonight.”

“Justin, I do love you.  I couldn’t have a better friend.”

Arm in arm they took the elevator down to the cocktail party.  They each grabbed a glass off a tray as a server walked past and before they could find a place to sit or stand, they were surrounded by people.  Justin was never comfortable being the center of attention but he was gracious to the other guests.  Marcus slipped further back out of the way.

“Marcus, right?”

Marcus jumped at the sound of his name.  Beside him stood the young man they had met in the lobby last night. “Yes, I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name.”

“I don’t think I said it.  Most people call me Dez.  I’m more of a street…”

“You’re a graffiti artist.  You are astonishing although some people might say you are a bit of a vandal.”

“I’m flattered.  I’m surprised you know…”

“Justin told me all about you.”

“I can’t believe I am talking to someone who is actually close to Justin Taylor.  He is actually the inspiration for my work.  When I was young my dad turned me onto the Rage series.  Is Rage really fashioned after Justin’s husband?  Rage used to scare me just a little.  More like the thrill you get when you walk through a haunted house. You aren’t quite sure what might happen when you are there.”

“Wow, so you’ve met Brian.  I have spent hours with him, no actually days,  and I still feel that way every time.”

“So he is the character.”

“No, the character is part of him. I think Justin needs rescuing,” Marcus saw the look on Justin’s face.

“In about ten minutes they will call us into the dining room.  I think we are supposed to sit at a special table but I hope we aren’t surrounded by people like that.”

“Marcus, do I have permission to sit at your table? I will grab my friend and at least that will give you a couple people to buffer Mr. Taylor from all the other crazies.”

“Oh, Dez, that would be great.”

“I’ll see you in there in a few minutes.”  Dez walked across the room and spoke to another young man and they left together. 

As Marcus tried to get near to Justin an announcement was made to move to the dining room. “You left me to the wolves,” Justin said softly to Marcus when he finally made it to his side.

“Well, maybe, but I think I saved you for dinner.  Dez and a friend are sitting between you and whoever else thinks they need a piece of you.”

“I may forgive you,” Justin looked at him. “Damn, I want to kiss you. I mean really kiss you.”

They found their table and right next to the chairs that said Justin Taylor and guest Dez and another young man sat.  The seating arrangement had been changed as a couple stuffy dealers looked for their names at the head table.  Once they had wandered away to find the seats, Justin offered his hand to Dez, “Thank you. I don’t think I could have….”

“When I saw who you were supposed to be sitting next to I was sure you wouldn’t mind.”

“Those two just want to show my work at their stuffy galleries.”

The rest of the chairs were filled with more young artists, “How did you get all the name cards changed that quickly?”

“Well, I actually had already changed the card.  I wanted some of the younger artists to get a chance to talk to someone with your talent.”

For the next two hours Justin and Marcus enjoyed the conversation. “So, Marc tells me Mr. Kinney is just like Rage.”

“Marc, has a fear of him even after seeing him naked more times than he could count.”

“You know damn well your husband is intimidating.”

“Well, your husband didn’t smile the first two years I knew him. I didn’t think he knew how to smile but I guess he wasn’t sure how to until he met you.” Justin’s hand slipped onto Marc’s thigh. “You have a great husband, love.” Justin kissed his cheek. 

The alcohol had been flowing freely all night and by now no one was feeling any pain. “So you’ve seen each other naked?” Dez’ friend asked with slurred speech.

“We have shared a lot of time together,” Justin said as he changed the subject. “Hell, the whole world has seen me naked.”

“Yes, your series of love is probably the best work I have ever seen.  At least it is the most beautifully erotic work I have ever seen. I had wet dreams over those paintings for years and I’m not even gay. They are so beautiful. You are so beautiful.”

“Well, we were beautiful.  Now we are just older and much less beautiful.”

“Justin, you know damn well you are still stunning.”

“Brian is stunning.  Even at 80, he turns heads wherever he goes.”

As dessert was served along with a dessert wine, Justin took a sip, “Finally, really good wine.”

“It’s one of yours?” Dez asked.

“It is.  I usually am not a fan of the super sweet wines but this one…. The first time I tasted this one I knew it was special.” As Justin sipped it he felt Marcus’ hand run across his crotch.  He shivered as the hand began to massage him, unnoticed.

“Well, gentlemen, you have made the evening enjoyable but at my age, it is time to go get some sleep.  That beautiful man we were just talking about will be here tomorrow and I will need my rest. Marcus, did you want to stay for more fun?”

“I think it is time for me to go to bed, too.  Tomorrow will be another busy day.” Marcus stood up and he helped Justin stand up. “Your leg is tight?”

“It is.  Too much walking today and then sitting all night.”

Marcus slipped an arm around Justin’s waist and together they left the banquet hall. Justin swiped his keycard and they entered the elevator.  Before the door was shut, Marcus had Justin pressed against the wall and his mouth descended on his.  When the doors opened to the penthouse they fell out of the door and walked immediately to Marcus’ bedroom. They both were unbuttoning their shirts as they walked and they threw them on top of each other in a side chair and by the time they got to the bed they were naked. 

Words weren’t needed.  They kissed and they touched.  Marcus was nearly frantic.  His mouth and hands were everywhere.  Justin finally moved and pinned him down to the mattress. “Marc, relax.” Justin lowered his mouth to Marcus and slowly kissed him. There was no rush, no urgency. “We have all night,” Justin began to move lower.  By the time he took  the cock in his mouth, Marcus arched to meet it.  It wasn’t long before Marcus cried out but Justin didn’t stop.  He rolled him over and then he ran his tongue down his lower back and found the spot he was searching.  Marc could barely lay there and when Justin replaced his tongue with, first one finger and then a second Marcus lost all control.  Justin continued to brush his prostate until he begged for him to stop.  Justin moved back up and as Marcus turned, Justin wrapped his arms around him and pulled him close.

“Justin, you can….I thought you would …..don’t you want to screw me?”

“Marcus, sweetheart, I don’t want you to regret anything when you go home to your Darling Dan.  What else would you like me to do? What do you need to feel?”

“You knew what I needed more than I did.” Marcus’ head dropped on Justin’s chest and then he slept.


Brian lay next to Dan and gently stroked his chest and then let his hand play a little lower.  He felt Dan tense when his hand gently stroked his cock.  “I don’t think anything will happen but it feels wonderful.”

“Well, if it feels good I will do it until you tell me to stop.”

“Just do it until I fall asleep. Brian, I love you, my friend.”

“Oh, Dan, I love you, too.”   Soon Dan’s body was relaxed and Brian rested his hand across Dan’s waist.

“I love you, too, Dan. What am I going to do when……” Brian stopped the thought before it could come out.


Justin was waiting for Brian’s call this time.  He had woken up and slipped out of the room he had shared with Marcus. He couldn’t wait for Brian to get here.  He had loved spending time with Marcus and he could see that Marcus was much more relaxed but he wanted Brian here for the award tonight.  Brian just knew what to do at events.  That was where he shined and Justin was uncomfortable. Sure, he could fake it like last night when it was informal.  Tonight it would be formal and Brian just knew what to do in situations like that. Justin was just stepping out onto the roof with a cup of coffee when the phone vibrated.

“Good morning, Bri.”

“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian’s raspy morning voice came through the phone.  “I just left Dan so I can be ready when John picks me up.” He hesitated before continuing, “I need to know, Sunshine.  What happened last night.  Play it down.  The sex was bad and Marcus is impotent.”

“Oh, Brian,” Justin laughed softly.  “I love that you are jealous.  Even if I had spent the night with his cocke buried in my ass or vice versa, you would be the one I would be going home with.”

“If?”

“Marc is just too fragile.  The guilt would kill him.  I helped him, uh, relax a bit but neither of us screwed the other.”  Justin could hear Brian’s sigh of relief.  “Brian, were you really that worried?”

“I love you, Brian.  You know that.”

“I do but at my age, my memory isn’t as good as it used to be,” Brian said lightly.  “I better get ready to leave.  I’ll see you around 2:00.”

Brian drove home and as he was packing an overnight bag he heard someone come into the house. “Dad? You here?” Brinn called from the kitchen.

“In the bedroom,” he said as he slipped on a robe. He planned to take a shower after his packing was done and had already tripped.

“Hey, Daddy,” Brinn hugged and kissed Brian who held her tight for a few moments.  “How is Uncle Dan?” She looked at Brian closely, “How are you?”

“Dan is hanging in there.  It isn’t easy seeing him like that. I never thought I would outlive him. He was always the healthy one.”

“Daddy, don’t even talk like that.  It is so hard to see Danny go through this but when I think it could be you….” Brinn held on to her father for a few more minutes. “You know you aren’t allowed to ever die.  You can not leave us.” Brian held his daughter for a long moment. 

“Brinny, I don’t want to stop this beautiful moment but I have a plane to catch.  Did you come for some reason?”

“I was just going to tell you we are going to have your birthday party tomorrow night, here.”

“Brinn, I’m not in the mood for a party. With Dan….”

“Dad, it was your birthday a couple weeks ago.  It is just going to be family.  Taylor will be here with Gabe and Ian of course. Juss and Tally are coming home for it and the boys will be here, too. John and Tony will be here too but no more unless Marcus wants to come but I think he will want to be home with Dan. Daddy, you have to let us do this for you.”

“Alright, dear.  Now, unless you want to see my dangly bits, you better let me shower.”

“Oh, Dad.  Kiss Daddy for me.  I am so proud of him.”

“So am I, love.”


Brian drove down to the airport and parked his car in the hanger he rented for his planes and walked out on the tarmac to find John by the plane. “Are we about ready to take off?”

“Probably five to ten minutes,” John said and then looked at his uncle.  “Are you alright, Uncle Brian?”

“Yes, I just need to see Justin.  You know what that’s like.  I just need some grounding after spending so much time with Dan.”

“I can understand that.  You and Dan are like brothers.”

“Well, I’m not sure I would say that but I know what you mean.  He has always been there for me and my family and we have needed a lot of assistance.”

Brian walked up the steps and moments later John was in the pilot’s seat and started the final check  “Tony stayed in LA and will meet us at the airport.”

“Good.  What time should we be at the hotel?”

“Depends on traffic but we could be there by 1:00, more likely 1:30. I just texted Tony and he will keep in touch with Justin. Did Justin and Marcus have a good time?”

“Sunshine said Marcus got a chance to relax a bit.  He needed it.”  Brian and John talked as they flew and it wasn’t long before John was lowering the landing gear.  

John could see Brian begin to tap his heel.  “Brian, you aren’t worried about Justin and Marcus are you?”

“I know better, but I know how hard this has been on Justin, too.  Marcus is so stressed.”

“Dan and Marcus are lucky to have you.”

“We’re lucky to have each other.” John started talking to the tower and the plane descended slowly.

Tony hugged Brian when he walked off the plane, “Hey, Brian, I had a feeling you wouldn’t want to wait for John to do the post flight check so that limo is for you.  It will take you to the hotel.”  

Brian kissed Tony on the lip.  “I knew my nephew made a smart choice.” Brian nearly ran to the car with his overnight back on his shoulder.  This would get him to the hotel around 1:00. He started to text but then decided to surprise him.  Justin said they were just relaxing on the roof so they would be there.

Marcus and Justin dozed on separate loungers enjoying the warmth even under the protection of umbrellas.  Justin turned when there was a buzz letting them know the elevator was on the way up. Justin glanced at his phone and realized it was too early for Brian so it must be the food they ordered.  Justin motioned for Marcus to stay where he was and he grabbed a robe to slip on.  He walked into the penthouse as the elevator door opened and the moment he saw it was Brian, he rushed into his arms. “Oh I have missed you!” Justin threw himself into Brian’s arms and Brian held onto him tightly.  

“Oh, Sunshine.  I don’t like it when we are apart.”

“Well, then let’s not do it again. I feel the same way.  .  Marcus had to get away or I would not have left you.  I need you. Are you up to it? You have had a long day already.”

“Shut up and help me out of my clothes.”

An hour later the three men sat by the little patio table with club sandwiches and salads.  Brian and Jusitn kept in physical contact the entire time.  Marcus watched them and although he had a heavy heart, he was glad his friends were together.  “Brian, Justin and I….”

“Marcus, Justin and I talked.  You don’t have to say anything.  Dan misses you, too, but he was so glad to hear you were relaxing and getting a little sun.  I know you two talked the last two day.”

“Speaking of Dan, I think he should be awake.  I’m going to go call him.” Marcus left them alone.

“He looks better.” Brian said, pulling Justin onto his lap.

“Yes, he has a little color and he is rested.”

“Hopefully that will take him through….”

“How is Dan?”

“He is holding on but I’m not sure that will last. I have a feeling it won’t be long. Oh, by the way, our kids are insisting on throwing me a birthday party tomorrow when we get back in town.”

“I told Brinn she had to run it through you.”

“Well, I told her I didn’t want it but I had to say yes.”

“You never could say no to her but I’m glad you are  going along with it.”

“Yes, Dan has all of us thinking about our mortality.”


At 7:00 p.m. the three men were ready to go down to the ballroom where they would have dinner and the awards would be given out. Brian went right into business mode.  He moved through the crowd with an arm around Justin.  Marcus decided to hang back with Dez and some of the other people he had met the night before.  This was a night for Justin and Brian was part of Justin. 

The meal was decent for a banquet like this and soon the tables were cleared and the awards began.  They went through several before it was the final award of the night.  There were two other winners besides him there was a sculptor,  a mural artist, and the final one of the evening was Justin.  He insisted Brian come up with him, holding on to his arm tightly.

Justin moved to the microphone, “Thank you for this honor.  Those who know me, know I can speak in public but I really don’t like it. Tonight I want to let everyone know that the only reason I managed to do what I have over the years was because of my husband, Brian.  He supported me when I was a teenager coming from a severe head injury.  Then he was the inspiration for the Rage series. And of course one of the main reasons I received this was for the series showing our love for each other. Brian wasn’t always reasonable but he was always supportive and fair. We have raised two beautiful children together and now have 6 grandchildren and a great grandson that is about 10 days old.  I know I am rambling but I will wrap this up,  Brian Kinney, you have been the keeper of my heart for 50 years and no matter how much longer we are given, I will love you.”

Brian pulled Justin close, kissing him, not caring about the audience and after Justin picked up the award, Brian and Justin walked off the platform.

“Well, I guess we know the inspiration of the series now,” the master of ceremonies stated.  He said a few more things about a breakfast in the morning where some of the minor awards would be handed out and then the night was concluded.

Brian and Justin walked hand in hand and when Marcus came up beside them he hugged both of them, dropping a kiss on Justin’s lips, “That was well deserved and well said.”

“Thanks, Marc, I don’t know about you but I am ready for some sleep and an early flight back in the morning?”

“Yes, the earlier the better. I need to get back to Dan.”

“No one contacted you, did they?” Brian’s concern surfaced.

“No, I just want to be with him.  I don’t know why but I have this odd feeling. He was ok when you saw him, right?”

“Marcus, he was fine.  John will have the plane ready around 7:00 so we should be home before 10:00 am.”

“That sounds great,” Marcus said as the stepped off the elevator.

Later as Brian and Justin laid side by side Brian said, “I hope Dan is still there when we get back.”

“He will be.  He won’t go anywhere with his Red.”


Dan sat up in bed. Hannah sat on the bed next to him, tucked in the crook of his arm and Danny sat on the edge of the bed on the other side of him.  Dan was in a talkative mood.  He talked about the first time he met Danny and about the day Danny brought Hannah home.  They all laughed and shared stories until Dan said, “I think I need to go to sleep now.”  He laid flat and both of his children kissed him as they walked out of the room, turning off the light.

Once in the hall, Hannah turned to her brother, “Danny, he’ll be there in the morning, won’t he.  I just feel like he was saying goodbye.”

 

“Hannah, I think he is just trying to let us know how much he loves us. He won’t go anywhere without Marcus by his side.” Danny said it with confidence but as Hannah moved toward her room he added, “I hope.”


Chapter 4 by Simply written

Chapter 4


When Danny woke he was shocked to find his dad sitting at the kitchen counter sipping on some juice. “Junior, glad you slept in a bit.”

“Dad, did you sleep well?” Danny tried not to act too surprised.  “Can I get you something to eat?”

“Yes, I’ll take some eggs,” Dan said with some strength in his voice. “Do you know when Red will be home?”

“I think they are already on their way.  They should be here by 11:00.”

“Son, I know it is an impossible task but can you help me look good or at least better? I want him to know I still ….”

“Oh, Dad, Marcus loves you so much, it won’t matter.”

“But I want to and I want to go to Brian’s party this afternoon.”

“Are you sure you are up to that?”

“I don’t need to stay long, but I need to go to my best friend’s party with my beautiful husband.”

Danny blinked away the tears as he set scrambled eggs down in front of Dan and he began to eat them slowly.  Danny poured some coffee and put some eggs on his plate before sitting down by his dad.  “Dad, I’m not sure this is a good idea.  I mean there will be more people and if you catch…”

“Junior, it might kill me? We both know it is only a matter of time.”

“Oh, Daddy, don’t say that,” Hannah threw her arms around Dan’s neck.  “I just can’t…”

“Oh, honey, I have no doubt you can. You will have your dad and your brother.  We raised you to be a strong woman who doesn’t need anyone but I hope if you want someone in your life you will find that special person.  I never expected to have a husband and family, but I wouldn’t change a thing.”  Dan finished his eggs.  “Can you help me to the recliner?” I will take a little nap and then, Junior, you’ll help me get ready?”

“Of course I will, Dad. How about if we go to the party a little early and then you can spend a bit of time with Brian but if the house gets overwhelming Marcus can bring you home?”

“That sounds good.”  Hannah walked beside him as he made his way to the chair and he sat down.  She kissed his cheek and then moved away to get a cup of coffee.  She then pulled Danny down the hall toward the bedrooms.

“Danny, what are you thinking? Daddy shouldn’t be going out anywhere.”

“You go ahead and tell him that,” Danny snapped and instantly wanted to take it back.  As her face crumbled, he pulled Hannah into his arms.  “I am so sorry.  I didn’t mean that.  I’m as worried as you are.  I found him in the kitchen when I got up. He got there himself. “

“I don’t like it.  What if he….I’ve read about people that have a boost of energy just before….”

“He’s just excited about Marcus coming home.  I’m going to call El and see if he will come over and help me get dad ready.  If he wants to look good for Dad.  He is going to look good for Marcus.”


The plane had taken off ahead of schedule and landed by 9:30.  Marcus had been quiet all the way home and as Brian drove them home, Justin sat with Marcus in the back.  “Do I look alright?”

“You look great, Marc. Is there anything I can do for you?”

“No.  I just want to look refreshed. I…. I’m scared, Justin.  I don’t know how much longer I can do this.”

“Fuck you!” Brian slammed on the breaks and pulled the car off the road. “You don’t know how much longer YOU can do this? What about Dan? He doesn’t know when he will have his last breath and you don’t know….”

“Brian, enough!” Justin said, not loudly but with a force that caught Brian’s attention and he stopped talking.  He pulled the car back on the road and continued toward the vineyard.


Danny and Elliott had helped Dan shower and dress.  They were combing his hair when they received a text that Marcus was on his way.  “Do I look good?”

“You look fantastic, Dad. Marcus will be so pleased to see you looking so good,” Danny smiled at him.

“I want to meet him at the door.”

Danny didn’t hesitate, “Sure, Dad, that sounds great.”

Brian pulled up to Dan and Marcus’ house and he got out and opened the back door for Marcus, “I shouldn’t have…..” 

Marcus walked past him without a word. Brian got back into the car and before Justin could say something Brian said, “Don’t say anything,” as he got behind the wheel and drove away.

Marcus got to the door and opened it.  To his surprise, Dan was standing with only a hand on the back of a chair for support. “Red, it is so good to see you! You look….well, you look perfect.”

Marcus rushed to him and wrapped his arms around him.  He kissed the man he loved and then they just stood there together for a few moments before Marcus led him toward the sofa where they could sit together. Dan wrapped his arms around his husband and kissed him.  “I hope Justin…”

“Dan, we did not have sex.  I love him but it isn’t like I love you. It never has been.  It never will be.”

“Red, I want to try…..  I want you.”

“Dan, maybe I should check with El and Danny….”

“You are not asking our son if we can have sex.  I want to have sex with you and then after some rest, we are going to Brian’s party.”

Slowly they walked to the bedroom.  As Marcus undid Dan’s buttons he said, “You look very handsome, Dan.  You didn’t have to go through that much for me.”

“You are my husband.  If I can’t try to impress you, who would I impress?”

Soon they lay in bed naked and Dan ran his hand down Marcus’ slim body. After a long kiss, Dan said, “Turn over.” Marcus did and with some effort, Dan entered his husband.

“Oh, Dan, that feels so….” Marcus had tears running down his face at the feel of this man making love to him.  It was slow and gentle but there was an electricity that built between them and although the orgasm wasn’t physically strong, the emotional effect was mind blowing for both of them. Marcus pulled Dan close and they both drifted off to sleep.


Brian and Justin arrived home.  Brian braced for the reprimand he deserved after his outburst with Marcus but as they met at the back of the vehicle to grab their bags, Justin pulled him close instead.  “I shouldn’t...I”

“Sh, it doesn’t matter.  Now I have a feeling our house has already been invaded so put on a smile and let’s go inside.”

“I don’t want this party.  I just want to….”

“Brian, your family needs this.  They need to see you aren’t going anywhere for awhile.”

Brian kissed him and nodded, “Let’s go see our girls.”

Brinn and Shelby were in the kitchen while Brennon and Zander were putting up a banner. Brian went around and kissed each of them.  “You really are going over the top.  I don’t need all this.”

“But we want to do it for you, Brian,” Shelby hugged him.  I’m so glad you two are back here.  We missed you so much when you were in Pittsburgh. We missed out on a couple birthdays with you.  Let us do this for you.”

“Alright, alright. I give up.  I think I’m going to go check a couple things in the office and then maybe go out by the pool for a bit.”

“That sounds perfect. I’ll meet you out there in about 30 minutes.” Justin said as he carried their bags into the bedroom.


At 4:00 p.m. Marcus pulled up next to Brian’s and Justin’s house.  They were sitting on the veranda when the car stopped and both Brian and Justin saw Dan sitting in the car.  Brian and Justin walked over and Dan leaned on Brian as they walked back to the shade together. The friends talked like they had so many times and as more of the family arrived, Dan began to get tired.

“Darling Dan, I think it’s time for us to go home and let the family have their party.” 

Brinn walked up and put her hands on Dan’s shoulders.  “You know you are family but I understand.  Uncle Dan, may I help you to the car?”

“Brinn, you are one beautiful woman I will always put my arms around.” 

Brinn helped him to the car and after he was sitting comfortably, Brinn kissed his cheek, “I love you, Uncle Dan.”

“I love you, too, sweetheart.”  He pulled her down close so he could whisper in her ear, “Take care of Brian for me.  He will need you.”

“Of course, I will.” She kissed his forehead and shut the door.

By 5:30 everyone had arrived.  At 6:00 they all helped themselves to food and they sat around the large family table.  Brian hadn’t spent much time with Gus since Gabe was born.  He seemed quieter than normal.  When he had his chance he pulled him down the hall and took him into his bedroom.  “Ok, spill it.”

“Spill what, Pops?”

“You tell me.  Something is eating at you.  What is it?”

“Pops, now isn’t the time….”

“Gus, I’m 80.  I don’t have much time….”

“I love Trenton.”

“Ya, so what’s wrong? You’ve loved him for years.”

“Pops, you don’t understand.  I promised Shelly after Seth, I would never love anyone else and I never told him….I had to tell him. It wasn’t fair not to tell him but I betrayed Shel.  I’m not sure how she will react.  She has been helping Taylor and I am a coward.  I just can’t….”

There was a light tap on the door, “Anything I can do for either of you?Ian and Taylor are about to leave with Gabe.”  Shelby asked.

“You can talk to your husband and I am going to go say goodbye to my great grandson.” Brian walked out the door, shutting it behind him.

Gus turned toward Shelby, “It’s nothing, really.  We can talk about it…”

“Gus, something has been bugging you for days and I know I have been distracted with Gabe.  I have been thinking about our Gabriel.  He would be grown now.  I look at Gage and picture our baby boy and with Taylor holding that little boy, but I am so proud of our girl and I’m going to be fine.  I think it is some mourning I just had never worked through.  But Brian could feel something.  What is it?”

“Shelby, I’m so sorry.  I didn’t mean to ever do it.  I broke my promise.  I haven’t done that before, not since I got clean.”

“Gus, it can’t be all that bad. Seriously, I don’t think you’re having an affair.  You have your hands full already and I think I would know if you were doing drugs again.  That isn’t it. What promise could you have broken?”

“I, I fell in love.”

“You fell in love?” Shelby was confused.

“I love Trenton.  I have tried to deny it and I didn’t say it to him because I told you I would never fall in love but it just happened when I spent that time there.  I talked to Dad and he pointed out that Pen deserved to hear it.  He knew but I had never said it and I needed to.  I love him.”

Shelby had walked to the sliding doors and stared at the pool.  “I,  Justin told you to do that? He didn’t care about your promise? I….I need time. Just leave me alone.” She opened the door and walked out into the garden.

Gus wanted to follow her but went back to the family just in time to kiss Taylor and Gabe goodbye.  Brian looked around for Shelby but didn’t go out to look for her. He looked out the window and saw her drive away.  Soon everyone headed home.  Soon Gus was the only one left.

“Where did Shelby go?” Justin asked.

“I told her I loved Trenton and she left. She wasn’t happy.  I better go home and see if I have a marriage to salvage.”

“You had to do it,” Justin said.  “He deserved to hear it years ago.”

‘But I still broke my promise.”

“Gus, she’ll come around. Just give her a li title time,” Brian assured him.

“I need to go.”

“We’re here if you need us, son.” Justin said as Gus went to find his wife.


Marcus lay with Dan.  He had gotten Dan in bed when they got home  and he fell into a deep sleep.  Later, Marcus made him some soup but he wasn’t hungry and he dozed off again.

It was about 10:00 p.m. when Dan squeezed Marcus’ hand. “Can you call Brian and Justin?  I want them to come over.”

Marcus didn’t ask any questions.  He just called Justin and told him Dan wanted them.  Ten minutes later, Brian and Justin arrived. They had just pulled on some workout pants and T-shirts.  Marcus met them in the kitchen.  He had tears running down his cheeks.  “I think …. I think he is saying goodbye.” Justin put his arms around Marcus.

“Well, then, we need to go to him.” Marcus led the way as Justin put his arm around Brian’s waist and propelled him forward.”

Dan turned as they walked into the room and reached out to them. “Thanks for coming,” he said softly. “Brian…” he patted the bed next to him on one side.  Marcus laid on the other side and then Justin lay next to Marcus. Marcus lay on his side to press his body against Dan and Brian did the same on the other side. Justin draped his arm across Marcus and laid his hand on top of Brian’s which was laying on Dan’s abdomen. 

“Justin,” Dan said softly, “thank you for always being there for Red.  I was an ass sometimes but he always had you there.  You are a good man.  I had never wanted to get married but when I saw you and Brian together, I knew there was something out there I was missing.” After laying quietly for a few moments he went on.  “Brian, I didn’t know there were friends like you. I couldn’t ask for a better friend and business partner.  You showed me what a good husband and father was.”

Now Dan turned and looked at the love of his life.  “Red, I have loved you since the first day I met you.  You were everything I have ever needed.  You made me be a father and the only thing better than our children is you.  I will love you through eternity.” Marcus kissed Dan softly and then they all felt the life leave his body.  

They all laid there silently in their own grief.  After several minutes Justin kissed Marcus’ cheek, “We’ll leave you alone for a few minutes.  Would you like me to call the kids?” Justin sat up and nodded to Brian who reluctantly moved.

“Could you call Danny? Hannah will be home in a few moments.  She said she would be home at midnight.  It is going to be so hard for her.  I don’t know how to tell her.”

“Marcus, let me tell her for you.  You need a few minutes alone.”

“Thank you,” Marcus said as he sat up. “Elliott will know what needs to be done about…. I don’t know if I can let them take him.”

“You can have as much time as you need,” Justin hugged him and then walked over to Brian and led him out of the room.

Once out of the room, Brian’s whole body slumped against Justin and Justin wrapped his arms around him.  It didn’t take Brian long to pull himself together, “I’ll call Danny,” he said.  “You watch for Hannah,” Brian stated emotionless.

Brian went out on the deck and called Danny.  “Ya….” Danny came on out of breath. “El, wait, it’s Brian.”

“Sorry, I’m obviously interrupting but…”

“He’s gone, isn’t he.”  Danny and Elliott had been in the middle of making love but Elliott withdrew and pulled Danny close.

“Yes, son.” Brian stated. “It happened about 15 minutes ago.”

“We’re on the way.  Does Hannah know?”

“She just pulled up.  Justin will tell her.” Brian ended the call without saying goodbye and walked around the edge of the house and stood at the door to the master.  He watched Marcus lay next to Dan with his head on his chest. Brian couldn’t imagine life without Dan.  He didn’t want to.


Justin saw Hannah get out of the car and moved to the door.  He watched Hannah walk up to the house slowly. She knew that the extra car by the house was not a good sign.  She rushed toward the door and just stepped out to meet her.

“Excuse me, Uncle Justin.  I want to go see Dad.” Justin noticed the use of the word Uncle.  She hadn’t called him that in many years.

“Hannah, sweetie,” Justin tried to put his arms around her but she pulled away.

“No, I want to go see my dad.  I need to see my dad.  I told him I would be home by midnight. I need to…”  Hannah stopped and looked into Justin’s eyes.   “Please, Uncle Justin, I…” tears were running down her cheeks now and as he pulled her close she sobbed loudly.  “Oh, Daddy.  I’m sorry.  I should have come home earlier.  What if you’re wrong? We need to call Elliott.  He’s a doctor.  I bet he can…”

“Hannah, Elliott is on his way. I’m sorry.” 

After several moments, Hannah took a deep breath, her whole body shuttered as she did and then she sagged against Justin.  “How is Daddy?”

“He wanted a few minutes alone with….  I’m sure Brian is staying close.”

Headlights moved across the wall of the house and soon Hannah stood in Danny’s arms with Elliott supporting both of them.  Minutes later the three of them walked into the house and moved toward the bedroom.  Justin moved around the outside of the house to find Brian.  He knew where he’d find him.  Brian stood watching as Marcus was enfolded in the arms of his children while Elliott did what needed to be done as a doctor.

Justin slipped his arms around Brian’s waist from behind, “Bri, what can I do for you?”

“If I told you to leave me alone, would you?”

“No.”

“Then why’d you ask?”

“Brian, don’t do this.  Don’t try to push me away. It’s never worked in the past.  It’s not going to work now.”  Justin moved around him and Brian pulled him close.  “We should check on Marc and then leave them alone.  The family deserves….”

“Fuck it!  I’m family!  We’re family. I have known him longer than anyone here.”

“Oh, baby, I know that.  You are going to miss him.  We both are but Marcus is his husband and those are his children.  Where are Emma and Cadan?”

Brian shrugged.  “I didn’t ask.”

“We need to ask if we can do anything and then go home.”

“I don’t… I’ll go wait in the car.” Brian said sharply and walked around the side of the house. Justin followed but as Brian walked to the car, Justin went back into the house. 

Justin entered the bedroom and walked around to Elliott.  “We’ll leave you alone. Are your kids at home?”

“No, they are staying with friends tonight.  We’ll tell them in the morning.”

“We’ll be back in the morning.  Do you want me to wait at your house or anything?”

“No, I’ll let them know in the morning to come here.  Dan will be gone by then.  The funeral home is on it’s way.”

“I’m going to get Brian home before they arrive.  He wouldn’t react well to that.”

“I understand.”

“Call if you need me.”  Justin walked over to Marcus and squeezed his hand, “I’ll be back in the morning.”

“Justin,” Marcus stepped away from Danny and Hanna just far enough so he could look at him, “thank you for coming.”

Justin gave him a little squeeze and then walked out of the room. He let out a long sigh as he walked to the car. Justin knew it would be a silent ride home.  What he wasn’t sure of was Brian’s reaction in the morning.


Brian didn’t come to bed.  It was almost 5:00 when Justin woke up and found him passed out on the sofa. Brian was too old to get that drunk. Was he trying to join Dan?  Shit, was he trying to join Dan?  “Brian, come to bed. Your back is going to hurt.”  Brian just groaned softly as Justin tried to get him up.

“Leave me alone.”

“No, baby, come on.” He made Brian put his feet on the ground and helped him stand up. Brian didn’t fight back, he just leaned on him and they walked to the bedroom together.  Brian pointed to the commode and Justin helped him over there.  Justin helped him balance as he emptied his bladder and then helped him into bed.

Once they were laying side by side Justin took Brian in his arms and although he started to protest he quickly gave in and rested in Justin’s embrace. 


In the morning, Justin left Brian sleeping and he drove down to Marcus’.  He was surprised to see the funeral home’s car still sitting there.  He entered the house and Danny came over.  He looked exhausted.  El was sitting with Cadan at the table while Emma was sitting with Hannah on the sofa.  Someone he didn’t know was drinking a cup of coffee by the kitchen counter.

“Oh, Justin, am I glad to see you.  Marc won’t let them take Dad’s body.  He won’t even let him in the room.  Will you please try to get him to understand.”

“Give me about five minutes, then send him in,” he nodded toward the driver. At the last minute he grabbed a cup of coffee and added cream and sugar, the way Marcus liked it.  Justin entered the bedroom.  Marcus was standing at the window but spun around when he heard the door. “Hey, Marcus, I brought you some coffee.”

Marcus took it and sipped it, “Thanks.  What are you doing back already….oh, ya it’s morning. I keep looking at him, thinking he’ll wake up.  Justin, I want him to wake up.  I just want him to….”

“Marcus, it's a nice morning.  Let’s get some fresh air.” He opened the door to the deck he and Brian stood on last night and ushered him out.  As they stood in the fresh morning air Marcus looked at him. “They are going to take him now aren’t they?”

“Yes, Marc.  It’s time.” Marcus let the cup fall to the decking and Justin held him tight. He glanced into the bedroom and saw Elliott and the driver moving Dan’s body out of the room.  He guided Marcus to a seat and sat with him. 

“Where are they taking him?”

“Elliott has all the details.”

“I want to go with him.”

“Marcus, Dan’s not there anymore. I mean they have his body but we both felt him leave last night. His body just left but Dan will be here,” he tapped Marcus’ chest.  Dan is right there and always will be.”

Marcus leaned on Justin and said, “We made love yesterday. Dan made love to me.  I knew.  I knew at that moment it would be our last time.  Thank you for not…  in LA.”

“It wasn’t the time or the place.”

“Where is Brian?”

“He drank a little bit too much. Actually, he drank a lot too much.”

“Go home to him. I have the kids and grandkids here.  Thanks for...well, snapping me out of this.  I just couldn’t let go.”

“Marcus, if you need company or need to get away, we are here for you.”

“Thanks, Justin. You always are.”


Gus walked into the kitchen and found Shelby making a bagel. He moved up behind her and rested his arm on her waist. She abruptly stepped away. “Please, Shelly, I missed you last night.  I understand you were upset but the guest room is lonely.”

“You should have just gone and stayed at Trenton.  You love him. You might as well have…”

“Shel, I am sorry.  I know I broke a promise but Trenton has been part of the family ever since the earthquake.  You love him.  The kids love him. Loving him doesn’t mean I love you less.  If it did, I would have changed things long ago.  I love you.  I love our family.  I love him but my family is always first. Don’t you realize he deserved to know.  All these years he has been here for me, for us and even without knowing for sure, he loved me enough to stay with me.  I just …..what if something happened to him or me and I never told him?”

Shelby looked at him silently for what seemed like an eternity.  Finally she spoke softly, “Do you want to move in there part time? I mean are we supposed to split your time like divorced parents do?”

“Shel, nothing has changed.” She allowed him to pull her close now. “If I could change, I would have years ago.  I would do anything for you but just like you can’t change who you are neither can I and you have accepted that for years.”

“I just….you  could so easily decide to move in there instead of here.  The kids are out of the house.  I just have never loved anyone like I love you.  I have loved you for years and know that isn’t going to change.”

“Shelby, I’m not leaving you.  I just couldn’t have it hanging between us, knowing I broke a promise.”

“Damn it, Gus.” Shelby pressed her body tightly against him.  “God, I love you.”  It wasn’t long before Shelby’s night shirt was up to her hips and Gus was buried deep inside her. She cried out as she orgasmed, followed by Gus. “You know with all your practice, you really have perfected that.”

“Does that mean we have to stop practicing?” Gus asked as he bent over and began to gently lick her most tender spots making her cum again.

“We will never stop trying to perfect it.”

“Well, I’m not sure it will ever get better than that.” Shelby turned and looked him in the eye, “I know why he fell in love with you and, truthfully, I can understand why you love him.  He is so kind and generous and if he is that way to your family, I can only imagine what he gives you. If you want to spend a little more time with him or if he just wants to hang out with you, he is welcome here. Maybe he can spend a night a week here and a night there?”

“You would really be ok with him and I…?”

“As long as you aren’t going at it in the kitchen, I think I can handle it. I do love him, too, just like a brother.”

“Shel, you are the most amazing woman I can imagine. I love you.” As Gus kissed his wife the doorbell rang and as Shelby tugged her night shirt down, Gus opened the door to find Justin standing there.  “Dad, what are you doing here?”

“I am on my way home but I wanted to let you know, Dan died last night.”

“Oh, Dad, I’m so sorry.  Oh, no, how is Pops?”

“It wasn’t good.  We were there last night when it happened and I slept at the house but went back early this morning.  Brian was passed out in bed when I left. I need to get back to him. We’ll talk later.  I just wanted to let you know.” Justin gave Gus a quick kiss and waved at Shelby before moving toward the car.

“Dad, let me know if I can help with Pops.  He shouldn’t be drinking like that.”

“Thanks, Gus.” Justin got in the car and drove away.

When he arrived home, he expected Brian to be in bed but it was empty.  Then he noticed movement outside.  Brian was swimming laps. “Asshole,” Justin mumbled under his breath.  What was he doing swimming alone. Justin stripped and walked out to the pool, joining him in the cool water.  He didn’t say anything.  He just joined in the laps Brian was swimming.  

As Justin began to tire he knew Brian was pushing himself too hard. He had been swimming longer.  Justin stopped and as Brian swam up he moved directly in front of him. Brian ran into him. He stood up and looked surprised he was even there. He then dropped down into the water as his own exhaustion hit him. Justin moved toward him and held him.

“Just breath for a minute or two,” Justin said as he helped him to the edge of the pool. He kissed Brian’s cheek as he put an arm around his waist for added support. “You can’t do this to yourself. Pushing yourself beyond your limits isn’t going to bring Dan back.  I love you too much to watch you do this to yourself.”

Now Brian pulled away from him. “Just leave me alone.  You always think you need to try to make things better.  Unless you can bring Dan back, there is nothing that can make it better.” He moved to the steps he held onto the rail as he walked up the steps and then walked into the bathroom and directly into the shower.  Justin watched as Brian sat down on the bench they had built in the shower, and the water pulsed down on him.  Justin followed him in, knowing the shear exhaustion he was feeling, and, without a word, put shampoo in Brian’s hair and began to massage his scalp. 

When he started to rinse out the suds, Brian started, “Just leave me…”

“Shut up, Brian.  Just shut up!”  Justin finished with Brian’s hair and turned his back to him and started to wash his own.  He heard something behind him but didn’t turn, figuring Brian had just left but then he felt Brian’s arms creep around his waist and Brian drops his head on the small of Justn’s back, just above his ass.  Justin knew Bran well enough that now was not the time to say anything he just turned and to his surprise, Brian took his cock into his mouth. He seemed to take comfort in the feel of it and as he slid his mouth over it, Justin felt Brian’s body calm down as his own began to react. When he was ready to cum, he held Brian’s head where it was and Brian took every drop he had to offer.  

They both finished rinsing off and left the shower without a spoken word. They dressed and Justin went to make them something to eat, knowing neither of them had eaten since the evening before. As he heated some things up he texted Elliott, ‘How is Marcus? Do I need to come over?’

Elliott responded, ‘He’s doing well, thanks to you.’

‘Anything we can do for your family?’

‘Maybe come by in a couple hours.  Danny and Hannah are going to funeral home. Would like to go with them.’

‘Tell me what time.’ Justin responded just as Brian walked in and made a cup of coffee.  “Brian, I made you a plate.  Just leftovers but…”

“Not hungry,” he lifted his mug.  “This is all…”

“No, that is not all.  Sit.” Justin pointed to a stool and Brian sat down. He wasn’t being defiant.  It was more of a defeated gesture.

Justin set a plate down in front of him and then sat down next to him with his own food.  He made sure Brian was eating as he ate his own food and was relieved to see him continue until he cleared his plate.  Brian started to get up but Justin reached over and put his hand on Brian’s thigh, “Bri, please come with me to Dan and Marcus’ place later.  The kids are going to make arrangements and they would like us to come and stay with Marcus.”

“You don’t need me there.  Marcus will want you not... “ Brian took a deep breath and looked at Justin, “I don’t know if I can go there, knowing he’s not there anymore.”

Justin put his arms around him and they held each other, “I can’t imagine what Marc is going through.  I look at you and know my life would end when yours did and when you drank so much and then when I found you swimming I…” he leaned even closer into Brian.  “You aren’t 50 anymore.  You can’t drink like a fish and swimming that long and without me around… I can’t lose you.  I just can’t.” Justin’s lack of sleep and the emotional toll he felt being the supporter was catching up to him.

“Do we have time for a nap before going?” Brian said softly. “I’m sorry I didn’t come to bed last night. I missed waking up next to you.”  Together they walked to the bedroom and curled up together and drifted off.  

When it was time to go to visit Marc, Brian made an excuse that he had a headache so Justin went alone. The same pattern followed the next four days.  Brian would not go back to Dan’s house.  The memorial service was going to be held on Friday morning and by Thursday Justin knew he had to do something with Brian.  He was supporting both Marcus and Brian and he was exhausted.  Brian needed to go to the service.  He needed to see the closure or it would never be done for him.  

As they lay side by side in bed, their fingers were linked. “Brian, we will be leaving at 10:00 tomorrow morning.”

“I’m not going.”

Justin snapped at that moment. “Brian Kinney, you are going to this funeral.  Your best friend has left this world and if you don’t say goodbye you will regret it the rest of your life. And I need you there, too.  I can’t keep doing this Marcus needs me.  You need me but the two of you are worried the other will remind you of Dan.” By now his hands were flailing, “Dan would expect you to be there. You are going to be there!” With that, Justin got up and left the room. He moved through the dark house and ended up grabbing a blanket and going out on the front porch swing. He sat and looked over the vines and let himself cry.  He was emotionally tired.  Tomorrow would be an end but he knew they would have to find a new normal.


Brian got up and stood looking out at the pool. He pictured Dan sitting in his favorite chair holding a beer while Justin and Marcus hit a volleyball over a net in the pool.  He would be by the grill….damn he would miss that man but Justin was right, he had to say goodbye, even if he didn’t want to.  He had promised he would take care of Marcus and the kids and he hadn’t done any of that.  He had crawled into his own little world and let Justin deal with it.  He really was an asshole.  He had to go find his Sunshine.  

Slipping a robe on, Brian walked out of the room. Hell, he hated getting old.  He body made noises as he walked, not to mention the aches and pains. He thought he would find him in the living room but there was no one in there and then he saw the chain of the porch swing moving. He walked out and was glad to see Justin had a blanket wrapped around him. Then he heard the sobs softly emanating from him and sat down next to him, pulling him in close. 

“You have known for years you are married to a bastard. I was so absorbed by my own pain I …,” he reached up and using the belt of his robe he wiped away his tears. He brought his mouth down and brushed his lips against Justin’s. Justin held onto him like a small child holds onto a parent.  

“I’m sorry I lost it.  I just….I don’t know what to do for Marcus.  Tomorrow he will say goodbye to Dan’s physical body.  If it were me I would just crawl into the casket with you and die because there isn’t going to be a life if you aren’t in it. How is Marcus going to…?” He slipped his hand into Brian’s robe and began to stroke him, “Are you up to it?”

“You tell me,” Brian said as Justin’s attention was getting the response he hoped for. Brian stood up and offered his hand.  Together they walked into the house, locking the door behind them. 

Later, as Brian was still inside of him and holding Justin close, he softly said, “If Marcus wants to stay here for a bit, he may.  I am sure Hannah needs to go back to work in a week or two and Danny and Elliott have to get back to a normal life with their kids.”

“I love you, Brian. I think that will make Hannah feel a little better.  She wouldn’t want to put everything on Danny and she knows Marcus isn’t ready for this. He’s not ready to be alone.”

“I promised Dan he wouldn’t be alone.”


Brian and Justin arrived early.  Brian asked to leave a few minutes early so he could see Dan before the family arrived.  They approached the room Dan’s body was being held. Brian stopped and looked at Justin, “Do you mind if I have a couple minutes with him?”

“Sure, baby.” Justin kissed him and he watched Brian walk slowly to the front. Justin could almost see Brian get younger as he walked up to Dan.  He could picture them as the young men they were when they met. They were the brother neither of them had. Well, Justin remembered Dan had some family but they rejected him.  Brian was the brother he always wanted.

Brian stopped four feet away from the casket.  He looked at Dan, his best friend as an adult. He took a step closer.  Dan looked good.  They made him look healthier but not fake.  This was the Dan from before he was sick.  This was the man he wanted to remember.  He stepped closer and rested his hands on the casket edge, “Oh, Dan, I am going to miss you so much.  Who am I going to confide to when Justin is on my last nerve, even though I love him dearly? Oh, Dan….”

Justin heard the cars arrive outside so he walked to the front where Brian stood with his head resting on the cool, smooth edge of the casket.  “Brian, the family is here,” he draped his arm around his shoulders. “Are you ready to move to a chair?”

“I will always love you, Dan Reed.  There will never be another man that can hold a candle to you.” Brian bent and kissed Dan’s head and then rested his arm around Justin’s shoulders and they walked to chairs assigned to them in the family section just as Marcus and Hannah walked in.

The family had asked for the lid to be closed before the service so each of them spent a few moments saying goodbye and then the lid was closed. Hannah and Marcus held onto each other as they sat and waited for the service to begin.

Soon the room was full. Besides Gus and Brinn and their families, many of those present were former or current agents with Dan’s company. Tyler spoke first.  He talked about how meeting Dan changed his life and what an amazing teacher Dan was as he trained him over the years. Now as the president of the company he promised to do his best to keep the standards of the company as Dan would want him to.

Next, Hannah spoke. “I know the last thing Dad wanted was a baby but I think when he saw how much I looked like Daddy he couldn’t say no.  My biological dad had died in the accident but Dad made sure, even though he didn’t know her, he made sure my mother was cared for the rest of her life.  I was so fortunate to be saved by Danny and Brinn and that my dads chose me.  I am going to miss him so much and I know many of you will, too. Her eyes landed on Marcus, “He loved you so much, Daddy,”  and then her eyes moved to Brian “and he loved you, too, Brian.  You were the brother he never had. You always had his back and he knew that.” She took a deep breath and looked over at the closed casket, “Dad, thank you for letting me be your little girl.  I will always love you.” Tears rolled down her cheeks as she sat next to Marcus who held her close.

Danny came up next. “So Dad thought Marcus was nuts for wanting to take me on.  I was no prize.  I had been on the streets doing whatever I needed to do to survive when Marcus found me and refused to take no from Dad.  I still remember the first time he called me junior.  I knew he really loved me.  I knew this was my family and  when he promised me he would always protect me from the bad things in this world.  I never doubted that for a moment because if Dad said it, he meant it.  I will never forget the day they adopted me and I will never doubt the love this family has. Dad, If I can be half the man you are… “ as Danny started to crumble, Elliott went up and led him back to his seat.

“Is there anyone else who would like to speak?” the funeral director asked.

Brian stood and walked forward. “Neither Dan or I had families we could count on and I think that is why we were drawn to each other. Well, it was Dan’s family who lost out. He would have done anything for anyone he cared about.  I was fortunate enough to spend a couple days with him just before he passed away.  Marcus, that man loved you.  He was very worried about leaving you.  He made me promise to be here for your family. And Justin and I always will be.  Dan, I don’t know what is waiting for us on the other side but I am sure whatever is waiting for us, you will have a spot all ready for your Red and Justin and me.  Rest well my friend.”


The service wrapped up and close friends and family all went to Danny and Elliott’s for lunch.  George had set up a lunch buffet.  Justice went up to him and hugged him.  “Hi, Father George.”

“You know I hate it when you call me that.  I feel like people will think I’m a priest and my wife and kids wouldn’t want that rumor going around. Why don’t you come spend time with them one of these days.  You know you are always welcome.”

“Thanks, George.  I will try to do that soon.” She kissed his cheek and then seeing Zach coming up behind her she hugged him.  “Love you, Daddy.”

George smiled at Zach, “The two of you have done such an amazing job with her.  Thanks for 

sharing her a bit.”

“That’s the least we can do.”  Zach said as he picked up some food.

People ate and reminisced about Dan but soon people slowly thinned out.  Marcus had been talking to people throughout the afternoon and finally Justin made a plate of food for him and led him to a chair on the deck away from the few people that were still there.

“Justin, I couldn’t eat anything.” 

“Marc, yes you can.  You need to eat.  Don’t make Hannah worry about you.”

“I don’t want her to worry.  She needs to go on with her life soon but, Justin, I’m not sure how to go on.  I can’t even sleep in our room.”

“When Hannah goes back, Brian has already said you can stay with us as long as you need to.  It will take time and we will help you anyway we can.”

“I can keep busy during the day but at night… what do I do at night?”

“You’ll figure it out in time.”  

Marcus slowly ate some of the food and then he noticed Brian walking out by the office. “Justin, go be with Brian. My kids and grandkids will be around tonight.  He needs you, too.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow. Call if you need me.” Justin kissed his cheek and walked off the deck toward the other building.  Justin found Brian in Dan’s office. Even though he didn’t really work anymore, he still had popped in most days until he got too weak to do it.  Brian sat in his chair with his head laying on the desk.  “Bri, let’s go home.  I think it is time for both of us to relax and just be together.”

“Justin, if I leave it will seem so final.”

“Brian, death is final but just because he has left us we won’t forget him. We have memories from almost 45  years.  No one can take them from us.”

“I know you’re right. I know our lives have to go on but they are going to be so empty without him.” 

Justin held out his hand and Brian took it as they walked out of the office, waving at the agent working there. They strolled toward the car as Brian began to recall stories of some of their adventures together.  

They continued to talk all evening.  They had so many memories together.  As they got in bed that night and curled up against each other, fitting together perfectly as they always did, they talked about their physical encounter.  Dan and Marcus had always been generous lovers and the four together had so many pleasurable experiences together, they both agreed none of that would have occurred with anyone besides Dan and Marcus.  Their lives were so intertwined but although their cord had gone from four strands to three, three cords could still be really strong and that is what they had to remember.  

“He loved you, Brian.  At times I think he may have loved you a little too much but once he met Marc, he was complete just like we are complete.  And now, close your eyes and get some sleep.  I have a feeling we will be needed tomorrow.  Dan may have left this earth but all of his things didn’t.  It probably won’t be tomorrow but soon, Marc will need help going through so many things.

“I love you, Sunshine and I am going to say this now.  I’m sorry for everything I am going to put you through in the next few weeks.  I know I am going to become a crotchety old man sometimes.

 

“Going to become?” Justin winked at him, “I’m just kidding.  If you didn’t love so hard it wouldn’t hurt so much when you lose.” Justin kissed him on his upturned mouth and they closed their eyes to sleep.


Chapter 5 by Simply written

Chapter 5


Justin was exhausted.  It had been a month since Dan had passed away and he hadn’t had a full night’s sleep since.  He wasn’t sure which was making him more tired, Marcus seemed to be avoiding the fact Dan was gone.  He wanted to go out and do things.  He wanted to keep busy while Brian was the opposite.  He would rarely leave the house and Justin had to push him to eat and he had started hiding the hard liquor.  It was hard to put the wine away on a winery but that wasn’t what Brian went for.  Justin wished Brian had something to do.  Brian needed a project but he wouldn’t even consider it.

Justin thought he had the perfect answer. He had been asked to help set up a new gallery in Seattle.  Gus’ company had built the building and after talking to Brian, who had no opinion, Justin said he would do it.  He was sure Brian would come along. Neither of them liked being apart.  When he told Brian his decision, an argument ensued.

“Brian, you told me you didn’t care if I did or didn’t take this offer.”

“And I don’t but I never said I was coming with you.” Brian said as he walked out the door to the veranda. Justin followed him.

“Brian, come on.  I don’t want to be apart.  We both have said we want to be together if at all possible.  You have no reason to stay here. What are you going to do, watch the fines grow?”

“If I want to, yes.”

“Come on.  I know Dan’s passing…..”

“Don’t bring Dan into this.  It has nothing to do with Dan.”

“Bullshit!  Your best friend died.  Hell, his widower has moved on…..”

“Marcus acts like Dan was never here.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he was already dating. He acts like he never even loved….”

“Bri, that’s not fair.  Everyone handles things like this differently. He will face it when he’s ready and I’ll be there for him when he needs me.”

“Well, then take Marcus with you to Seattle.  That way you can be there for him.”

Justin looked at him and went back into the house.  Now was not the time to get into it.  He hoped Brian would think it through and come be with him.  He wouldn’t have taken the job if he thought Brian wouldn’t come with him but if he wanted to be stubborn, fine.  He would invite Marcus to come up, at least part of the time.  Brian was right about one thing.  He would worry about both of them if they weren’t with him so at least one of them might as well come along.  He pulled out his phone and called Marc.

“Hey, Justin, I was just thinking about you.  Do you think you and Brian would want to go out for dinner tonight.  I am at work right now so I thought maybe you would come to town and eat with me.” 

Justin could hear the tone of his voice was a bit manic.  That’s how he had been sounding since Hannah went back to school.  Marcus had slept at their house a couple nights but then he said he needed to start his new life.  Brian had taken that as if Marcus wanted to forget Dan.  Justin knew that wasn’t true but the two men closest to Dan were on two different wavelengths and he was stuck between them.  “That sounds great.  I was calling to talk to you about something but I will just wait until I see you.  I doubt Brian will join us but I will ask him.  Text me the details….time and place.”

“Ok, Justin, it isn’t going to cause you problems is it?”

“Don’t worry about it.  I’ll see you later.”

“Who are you going to see?” Brian asked as he walked into the house.

“Marcus.  You’re invited to come, too.”

“So you are just going to leave me here and go into town…”

“Brian, I just said you were invited but of course that would mean you would have to leave your bubble.  The bubble you aren’t willing to come out of.  What are you protecting yourself from? You are only trapping the pain in rather than keeping it out.” Justin took a couple steps toward the bedroom and then turned to face him.  “Brian, our time on earth is getting shorter every day.  I need to live what time I have left.” With that being said Justin changed clothes and without another word to him, he left.  

Justin started to drive to town but found himself turning toward Brinn’s.  He sat outside the house for several moments.  He was about to start the car up again when Brinn walked out. “Daddy, you coming in? Is something wrong?”

Justin got out of the car and walked up to the house, giving Brinn a hug and kiss.  “I shouldn’t have come by.  I don’t want you to worry.”

“What has Dad done now?”

“Your father has done nothing and I mean NOTHING! I asked him to go to Seattle with me while I set up the gallery and he refused.  I am not, well really, can not change that now.  He told me to invite Marcus so I am going to.  I’m on my way to town and then dinner with Marc.  If your father won’t come with me, I might as well have Marcus with me or I will just worry about both of them.”

“Oh, Daddy. I’m sorry Dad is doing this.  I thought he said he didn’t care?”

“Obviously, he didn’t. All he cares about is  himself and his own feelings right now. I really came here because I am worried about him when I am gone.  Will you check on him while I’m gone? I will be gone at least a month, maybe two and I will come home every couple weeks but I’m afraid he will just sit and drink.  He has nothing to keep him occupied.”

“Maybe the boys could move in with him.  Zander is actually going to be gone part of the summer but Brennon is going to be around.  We are going to have Gus make a few changes here.  Construction could drive Bren over there.” 

Justin could see her wheels turning.  “I think that would be a great idea. Brennon has the personality that will keep Brian active with something.”

“I’ll talk to him.  When do you leave?”

“They would like me there next week but definitely by early July. I think I will go up right after the Fourth of July.”

“Don’t worry about Dad.  He is just being...well, Dad.  He has always had a hard time adjusting. I will talk to Brennon and we will take care of him.”

“Thanks, Brinn, I feel better even though I miss your dad.”  Brinn hugged Justin.  She knew her dads had always had their rough spots but there was no doubt they loved each other and needed each other.  Her dad would come around. 

Justin left and went into town.  He stopped at a couple stores after letting Marcus know he was close and Marc let him know where to meet him in half an hour.  As Justin waited for Marcus to arrive he ordered a drink.  He sat at a table and could see Marcus as he walked in.  When he arrived Justin had to admit he looked good.  He had put on a little weight again but underneath his self assured demeanor, Justin could still see the pain in his eyes.  Brian didn’t understand Marcus was still grieving; he just had to do it his own way.

Once Marcus had ordered a drink and the men had put in their dinner order Marcus asked, “So what did you have to talk to me about? I have been curious since we talked earlier.”

Justin filled him in on the plans to go to Seattle.  “Marcus, come with me.  Not necessarily the whole time but I am sure you can be gone for a while and I don’t want to be alone the whole time.”

“And Brian won’t change his mind?”

“I doubt it.  Even if he does you could come, too.  I am staying in a house overlooking the sound. A friend of Gus owns it and is in Europe for the summer.  I think I will go up on July 5th and I know I will be really busy the first week but after that, my evenings should be free.  You know this area.  I’m sure you could find something to do during the days.”

“I like the idea.  Maybe I can come up around the 14th and stay until the end of the month.”

“I didn’t look forward to spending all my evenings alone.  Now we can check out the theater and other nightlife and if I go home for a weekend, you can decide if you want to stay or come back with me.”

As they ate their meal they talked about Seattle.  Marcus had spent time there when he was younger and was already talking about places he wanted to visit. By the time they were done eating they were both excited, and they both headed home.  When Justin arrived home he found Brian sitting out by the pool drinking his dinner. Justin walked over and put his hand on his shoulder, “Did you eat dinner?”

“No, I don’t like to eat alone,” Brian said with an attitude.

“Well, you could have joined us.  We had a nice dinner.”

Brian grunted in response.

Justin knew he shouldn’t have to but he offered, “Would you like me to get you something?”

“Trying to make up for being gone isn’t going to….”

“I am not trying to make up for being gone.  I didn’t do anything wrong!  Get your own damn sandwich.  I don’t know what you want from me but maybe I don’t have what you need anymore.  I was planning on going up to Seattle on July 5th.  Maybe you would rather I just pack and leave now.” With that Justin pivoted and went back in the house.  He knew Brian would come in after him in a few minutes.  Well, he thought he would. Maybe time apart in Seattle would be good.  He would talk to John in the next couple days and see if he would fly him up on the 5th.  John was officially retired but he still enjoyed flying and was always willing to fly them somewhere.

Justin went to his favorite spot, the front porch swing with a sketch pad and drew his view but soon he realized his focus in his sketch was no longer the vineyard but the silhouette of Brian looking at the rows.  In the drawing, the sadness was overwhelming him.  Justin was so absorbed in trying to finish the drawing before it was too dark, he didn’t notice Brian come out of the house.

“Sunshine?” he said it softly.  Justin turned and looked at him. “I brought you a glass of wine.  It’s your favorite.” Justin reached for it as he flipped the sketch pad over. He took a sip and stared off as Brian sat down next to him.  “You’re right.  You invited me along.  I just can’t stand seeing Marcus moving on like nothing has happened. He has just gone on….”

Softly, Justin said, “Brian, that’s not fair.  Just because he has his own way of dealing with his loss doesn’t make it wrong. Holing yourself away from the world isn’t living.”  He felt Brian tense. “I am not trying to pick a fight.  I am tired of fighting.  You do what you need to do.  Marcus is doing what he needs to do.  He is going to spend some time with me in Seattle. I don’t want to be there alone the whole time. I will be busy during the day but in the evenings it will be fun to do a little exploring with him, or you if you change your mind.”

“I’m too old to want to explore.”

Justin opened his mouth to say something but stopped.  He took a sip of his wine and rested his head on Brian’s shoulder. At this point nothing he said would do any good.  He raised his eyes to meet Brian’s and their lips met.  Justin laid his head back down and softly said, “Did you eat something?”

“Yes, I made a sandwich and ate some fruit salad from the fridge.”

“Thank you,” Justin responded. “Maybe it’s a good thing you aren’t coming to Seattle.  Brennon might need a place to stay for a couple weeks.  Brinn and Zach are having some remodeling being done at their house.  Zander will be gone but Brennon might prefer being here rather than in the mess.”

Brian smiled a bit.  “That would work for me.  He could cook for me.” Brian actually laughed a bit.

Justin smiled, yes, it would be good for Brennon to be here with his grandfather and he would feel better knowing Brian wouldn’t let him skip a meal so he would eat himself.  He made a mental note to talk to George about getting meals brought in. Then he was sure Brennon would eat.  Better yet, he would have Brennon talk to George.  That way he would have his favorites.

Brian put his hand on Justin’s Justin’s thigh. He ran his hand on the inner thigh and eventually ended up on his fly. “Justin, I…”  Justin moved his hand to Brian’s crotch. 

Justin stood and in one hand he held the wine glass but then he extended his empty hand to Brian. They locked the house up and walked to the bedroom, hand in hand.  Once in the room Brian pulled Justin close and kissed him with more passion than he had in a very long time.  Soon they were both naked on the bed and although their bodies were not as limber as they once were, their love was no less. Brian took his time and explored Justin’s body taking his time until Justin arched toward Brian’s mouth which he had focused on Justin’s cock.  “Oh,  please Brian, I want you.”

“Turn over, Sunshine.” Brian gently entered him and then moved slowly but with force.  It wasn’t long before Justin felt the reaction in his very core and he climaxed.  Brian soon stopped moving as he climaxed and pressed himself against Justin’s body. Justin took Brian’s hand and put it on his heart.

“Brian, I may get angry with you and I know you don’t understand it all yourself but I love you.  I will always love you and even when you can’t admit it you need to do something for your depression.  Talk to Nora. She will be able to help you figure this out.” Justin kissed the palm of his hand before replacing it back on his chest.  “Good night, my love.” 

Justin heard Brian’s breathing turn slow and deep.  He hoped eventually some of what he said would eventually sink in and maybe he would put a bug in John’s ear to have Nora just make a friendly call.  Maybe Matty and Nora could invite him to dinner while he was gone. Feeling the heat of Brian’s body had him relaxing and soon he was asleep himself.


The next few days Justin made sure everything was set for him to go to Seattle. He continued to try to convince  Brian to come along but, although Brian had made some progress, he still had what he could only explain as melancholia.  He was glad that Brian would only be alone a couple days before Brennon planned to move in with him.  He hoped to get a chance to talk to Brennon at the 4th of July party and let him know what to expect. 

As usual the picnic was at Shelby and Gus’.  Gage wasn’t going to make it back for his birthday party this year but Taylor would be there with Ian and Gabe. Trenton was coming as well as Brinn’s crew.  Shellby had invited Danny and his family as well as Marcus and Hannah but Danny and Elliott had taken vacation time to get away with the kids for a while so Hannah and Marcus planned to come.  Several other family members were invited and most would come and go, even if they didn’t stay for the fireworks, everyone would be there around 6:00 pm for the food.

By 4:00 Trenton was there helping Gus and Shelby with some last minute preparations. Shelby, as always, made him feel welcome and comfortable.  Gus and Trenton were out on the deck getting some extra chairs and umbrellas up along with a couple extra small tables to eat by. As they went to grab a few more towels for the pool, Gus realized they were both out of view of anyone who might show up early.  He stepped up to Trenton and slipped his hands into Trenton’s back pockets pulling him tightly against him as his tongue found its way into Trenton’s mouth.  “Pen, I love you.  I love you so much.” 

Trenton moved so Gus was pinned against the wall and his hand moved over Gus’ fly and then after opening it his hand moved into it.  Shelby had to grab a cooler and entered the back storage room and saw movement outside the small window. She glanced out and there was Trenton with Gus.  She had seen them kiss a couple times but they were very careful not to do anything more in front of her so as she watched, she saw the tenderness between them.  He really did love him and that didn’t distract from what he felt for her.  She had memories of Gus and Lucky when they first met.  The three of them had been together several times but that was just sex.  Lucky was not into relationships, he was into sex and Gus was so young then.  Seeing Gus with Trenton got the picture of Lucky pounding him out of her mind and the touch of Trent’s hand on Gus’ cheek was so sensual she shivered.  It was like a light came on and it was obvious to her what their relationship was about. The men broke apart and they both made sure their flies were shut and they moved back onto the deck.  She grabbed her cooler and went back to the kitchen.

Soon the house was filled with friends and family.  The evening was low key.  Everyone ate their fill of burgers and chicken breasts before sampling several desserts that were set out including the birthday cake for Taylor.  Shelby came up behind Gus and put her arms around his waist, kissing him at the pulse point below his ear.  He shivered. “You know if you do that more than a couple times I may take you to the back room right now.”

“I’d let you.” Shelby kissed him again but then stepped so she stood next to him, running her hand across his tight ass. “I saw you and Trenton today near the pool.”

“Oh, Shel, I am so sorry.  I didn’t mean for it to be more than a kiss but…”

Shelby stepped in front of him and put her arms around his neck as he pulled her close, “I’m not angry or even upset.  We can talk later.  I love you, Gus.”

“I love you, too, Shelly.” The kiss wasn’t very long but spoke of what was to come later tonight. “God, woman, you make me hot.”

Trent stood out on the deck and saw Gus and Shelby in the house and for the hundredth time in the past 20 years he wished he was in her place but at least he got to steal a few moments today. He sometimes wondered if he was too old to play these games but he realized it didn’t matter because Gus was not a toy.  He was the second man he had ever loved and he knew there would be no other.

Brian sat by the pool most of the day.  He was social when someone sat and talked to him but he didn’t search out a conversation and more than once Justin saw him looking around as if to find Dan to talk to.  He was sure that was what Brian was doing after dinner.  He started to get up as he scanned the group.  He saw Marcus standing next to Zach and then he saw Brian sag as he leaned back in his chair. Justin walked up putting his hand on  Brian’s shoulder and kissing the top of his head. “Do you want to wait for the fireworks or go home soon?”

“I don’t care.  I just really …”

“Then let me help Shelby straighten up and then we can go.  I have a big day tomorrow.”

Justin went in to help a bit but more to find Brennon.  “Hi, Grandpa,” his grandson came out of nowhere.

“Oh, Brennon, I am so glad to see you.  We are leaving soon but I just wanted to make sure that…

“I’ll stay with him. I’ll make him eat.  George is bringing a bunch of meal kits for me to fix.  I like to cook so he is helping me learn.”

“And I am sure he will drink some wine but don’t let him drink too much whiskey.”

“Grandpa, I love him, too and I will take good care of him.  Who is going to take care of you?”

“I will be working and Marcus is coming up next week and staying for a couple weeks.  I’ll come back and visit your grandfather unless you manage to get him to come to Seattle.” 

Brennon hugged and then kissed his grandfather, “I’ll take care of him.”

“I know you will. Thank’s, Bren. I better get Brian home before he loses patience with everything.”

Justin stopped by Marcus on his way outside, “Marc, I will call you once I’m settled.  You can let me know when you are coming up.”

“I will, Justin.  I should be ready by the beginning of next week. I just have to get one business sale completed and I will be on my way.  It will be good to get away.  It will be hard but it will be good.” Marcus kissed Justin just as Brian walked into the house.

“Fuck,” Brian said softly.  “Let’s go.” He tugged Justin out of Marcus’ embrace but then dropped Justin’s arm and strode out the door.

Everyone watched the event.  Gus walked up to his dad and said, “Do you want me to talk to him?”

“No, Gus.  I’m fine.  Just keep an eye on him while I’m gone.  I’ll be in touch.” Justin hugged and kissed Gus and then rushed out after Brian.

Trenton came up to Gus and said softly, “Is everything with your dads….”

“Pops is just still grieving and, well, he’s old.  He’s lost his best friend other than dad and his own mortality is slapping him in the face.”

Trent slipped his arm around Gus’ waist without even thinking about Shelby. Gus laid his head on his shoulder for a minute and then he stepped away.  “I better go check if my guests need anything.”

“Maybe I should go home.  I don’t want…”

“No,” Gus said quickly, “please stay.”

“I don’t know…” Trenton was interrupted by Shelby.

“Trenton, please stay.  We would love it if you stayed for the fireworks.”

“Sure. Thanks, Shelby.”

“You are always welcome here.”


Justin didn’t even have the door of the vehicle shut before Brian started moving.  “Brian!” Justin shouted as he pulled the door shut.  Nothing was said between them as they drove the short distance home and this time Justin left the car without shutting the door.  He heard Brian slam his door and then heard when the second door was shut. He stood there facing the door waiting for the confrontation but Brian didn’t come inside.  After what seemed like a long time, Justin moved to the door and looked out.  Then he saw him. Brian was leaning over the hood of the car with his forehead resting on his hands and that’s when Justin heard it.  The fireworks had started. Dan had always been in charge of the fireworks.  On Marcus’ request, Tyler had taken over for Dan.  Dan had already hired someone to do the fireworks and Tyler just finalized everything. 

Justin wondered how Brian would handle this.  He slowly walked out and as he put his arm around Brian’s waist, Brian wrapped his arms around Justin’s neck and sobbed.  His whole body was wracked with an inner pain Justin was unable to sooth. He could just support him as the distant sky lit up with bright colors and a distant boom and bang were heard from time to time. Eventually, Justin managed to get him into the house.  He helped Brian undress and got him into bed. He laid down next to Brian and pulled him close. He had hoped they would have one last night of lovemaking before he left for a few weeks.  Instead, Brian cried himself to sleep.


Back at Gus and Shelby’s Hannah stood with her dad and although they both shed some tears they smiled, knowing how much Dan always enjoyed them.  He had told Marcus once that the Taylor-Kinney’s always did so much for them that this was the one thing he could do for all of them. When the fireworks were done, everyone talked about Dan and took turns hugging Marcus and Hannah before everyone went their own way.

Soon it was just Gus, Shelby, and Trenton.  Tally had gone with Justice for a late party at friends and they would be staying overnight so it was just the three of them.  “I better go home.  Thank you for always making me feel welcome, Shelby.”

“Trent, stay.  Have a cup of coffee or some iced tea.”

“Shelby, that’s nice of you but…”

“Trenton, Gus, sit on the sofa.  I want to talk to you.”

The men walked together and sat side by side with a little space between them.  “Pen, she saw us today.” Reflexively, Trenton moved a couple more inches away from him.

“Oh, god, I am so sorry.  I just should stay away from here.  Shelby, I don’t want to come between you and Gus, ever.  I would never hurt either of you.” Trenton flushed thinking about their actions.

“Trent, it became real to me today.  You and Gus love each other.  It has nothing to do with me.  It has nothing to do with our love for each other.  I had images of something that was just an animalistic ….. Well I was so wrong.  I just wanted you to know that you two deserve to spend time together.  If you want to …..I am willing to share him.  I’m going to bed now.  Gus, I’ll see you in an hour or so?”

Gus got up and kissed her. He brought his mouth to her ear, “Thank you, my love.”  

As Shelby walked up the stairs she was sure she heard the weight of the men laying down on the sofa.

“Gus, are you sure? Is she serious? Is something wrong with her?”

“No, Pen, nothing is wrong.  I am just married to a wonderfully, understanding woman who has finally gained enough confidence to know that you are not a threat to her. By now, Gus was on top of Pen and his hand had completely undone his fly.  

“Oh, god, Gus, I need you.” Gus slid down Trenton and soon had his cock deep in his throat. He knew Trent could only last a few minutes when Gus did this.  He was very skilled with his tongue and Trent grabbed desperately at his hair and pulled him up. “No, Gus, I need to be …. If you think Shelly…” 

Before he finished the sentence, Gus had his pants off and had bent over the arm of the sofa. Trent was up and slipped on a condom before wrapping an arm around Gus’ waist and then entering him. Gus arched and turned his head so he could reach Trenton’s lips. Gus’ arm wrapped around Trenton’s neck and as they got in a rhythm their tongues continued to touch and taste each other. Trenton threw his head back and bit his lip as he drove in one last time. Both men shuttered and collapsed forward.  

When they both caught their breath Trenton said, “Did we really just do that in your living room?”

“Yes, Pen, and it was amazing!”

“I think I better get out of here. Shelby has been very patient.”

“She is wonderful,” both men got up and redressed.  Gus turned into Trent’s arms, “I will call you tomorrow.  I want a night at your place.  I think a night out on bed swing would be perfect.” Gus ran his hand over Trent’s crotch, making his still sensitive cock shiver.

“I love you, Gus.”

“I love you, Pen.” As the words came out Trenton crushed Gus’ mouth.

“I can’t believe you are actually saying it.  It sounds so amazing to me.  I never expected to….” he took a deep breath, “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” As Trenton drove away, Gus bounded up the steps.

Shelby lay in bed naked.  “Want to scrub my back in the bathtub?” she smiled as she stood.  As Gus followed her, he shed his clothes. Once they were settled into the bubbling water, Shelby rested against Gus, “Gus, I won’t ask if you had a good time but Trenton is welcome here.”

Gus kissed her neck. “Did you know you are so…..amazing doesn’t cover it.”

“Just don’t hurt me, Gus. Be honest and open.”

“Oh, god, I would never hurt you but I knew I was hurting him by holding back.  What I feel for him doesn’t take anything away from you.”

“I do know that now.” Shelby rested her head on Gus’ clavicle.  She took Gus’ hands and placed them on her breasts and Gus took it from there.  Soon one hand had gone down her body and he began to tease her clit until she cried out.  As Gus continued to rub her nipples, Shelby’s body began to climb to climax again.”


Justin slipped out of bed early, trying not to wake Brian.  It had been a rough night for him.  Even though he slept, he tossed and turned. He whimpered and called Dan’s name more than once. Justin had just stepped under the water when he felt Brian’s presence.  He brought his arms around Justin’s upper arms and pulled him against him. “I’m sorry, Sunshine.  I didn’t plan to…. I think it’s good you are getting away from me.  I know I’m not myself.”

Justin turned and embraced, Brian around the waist, pressing their torso’s together.  “I know last night was very difficult.”

“It didn’t seem to effect the widower,” Brian grumbled.

“Brian, he did that for Dan.  You don’t think he didn’t go home and sob himself to sleep.  He had to go to an empty bed.”

“Will he be going to an empty bed when you are in Seattle?”

“Brian, I wanted you to come with me.  I’m not promising we may not share a bed but I promise we will not have sex.”

He felt Brian’s body relax a bit.  Brian kissed him, “I would not be good company anyway.  When are you coming back home?”

“I am guessing I will come home in two or three weeks on the weekend. We’ll talk everyday, I hope.  I love you, Bri.  And I am going to miss you so much.”

Brian held him tight for several moments before he began to soap up Jusitn’s body and hair. “I don’t deserve you but I couldn’t live without you.”

When they got out and dried off, Justin needed to hurry.  John would be picking him up soon.  Justin was packed but had to dress and get his hygiene kit together.  Brian followed him out to the veranda to wait, Brian pulled him close and the two took their time kissing.  Their lips and tongues still enjoyed exploring each other and when John pulled up they didn’t even notice.

John smiled, his uncles had been together 50 years but when he watched them like this, he couldn’t wait to get to that age with Tony. He got out of the SUV and grabbed Justin’s luggage.  Justin looked over at John for a moment and smiled.  He pressed himself tightly against Brian for one more moment and then stepped away.

“I’ll call you when I get there.  I love you, Brian.”

“Oh, Sunshine.  I love you, too.”  After one more kiss, Justin got in the vehicle and they drove away.

“Everything good, Justin? Brian looked a little….”

“I don’t expect him to get over Dan, but he needs to figure out how to move on.  Maybe it will help if Marcus and I aren’t here for a while.”

“And Brian’s Ok with you and Marcus….”

“Marcus and I will not be doing anything we wouldn’t do in front of Brian and I assured him of that.” Justin was quiet for a few moments. “Marcus isn’t ready for anything and of course I wouldn’t without Brian’s permission.”

“I don’t know how you give permission to the man you love to have sex with someone else. I can’t even stand for Tony to touch another man.”

“Tony hasn’t done that recently, has he?”

“Not that I know of and I think I would know. As far as I know it was only that time years ago back in Pittsburgh. I just….” John pulled up to the hanger and they got out.  The plane had already been through a preflight check so John just did the final inspection and with Justin sitting in the co-pilot's seat the plane lifted off.

As they landed in Seattle three hours later, Justin thanks John and had to add, “If you have a chance, stop by Brian’s once a week or so, ok, John? I know Brennon is staying with him but we both know a hyper teenager might not be what he always needs.  Gus will stop by, too but…”

John hugged Justin, “We’ll take care of Brian and if he wants a flight up I will make sure I am available.”

“Thanks, John. I miss him already.”

“I know, Justin.  He loves you, too. That was so obvious when I saw the two of you today. You two need each other.”

“Always have and always will.” 

Justin and John had lunch at the airport before  John flew back.  Justin had texted Brian they had landed and that he would call as soon as he was settled in the house looking over the sound.  It was stunning.  He missed Brian so much already but he also knew he needed a break to regain his own strength physically and mentally.  By the time Marcus arrived he hoped to feel much stronger so he could help Marcus through it.  

“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian had warmth in his voice if not enthusiasm. 

“Brian, this house is amazing.  I remember Gus talking about it when he was designing it last year but this place is just spectacular.  I can see the ocean in the distance.”

“Sounds great.”

“Did Brennon contact you like he said he would?”

“Ya, he will be moving in tomorrow.  Do you think I  can manage one night myself or should I call in another babysitter?” there was an edge to his voice.

Justin sighed, “Bri, I know you can take care of yourself. But I also know you are still mourning and being alone isn’t good.”  There was silence on the other end. “Babe, are you there?” 

“I’m here.”

“I love you, Brian.  I miss you already.”

“You could be here.”

“Brian, please, I am not going to get into this again. I talked to you about this job before I took it and you did not ask me to stay even when I asked your opinion,” Justin felt his blood pressure go up.  “I love you, Brian but I need to go. I just can’t….” Justin ended the call before he said something else.

Brian looked at his phone.  This is when he would call Dan and Dan would tell him he was being an ass. Brian called Dan’s number and listened to his voice for the 100th time.  “Dan, I miss you so much but I have to stop this.  I need to move on.  I just don’t know how.”  Brian said this into the full mailbox.  He had heard the edge on Justin’s voice before he hung up.  He had to change this or his beautiful husband may move on and he wouldn’t blame him.

As Brian went to dig up a bottle of Jack, well anything besides wine, his phone rang.  Justin called him back! That was his first thought but it was Brennon. “Hey Bren, what’s up?”

“Grandpa, dad got excited and took my bed apart.  I know I could stay in one of the other bedrooms but since I am moving in with you can I do it tonight?”

Brian leaned against the counter, “Your grandpa didn’t just call or text, did he?” He could see Justin texting Brennon to come tonight.

“No, why?”

“No reason.  Of course you can come over. I am not sure what we’ll have for dinner because George’s food is being delivered tomorrow.”

“I’ll make you something.  I’ll just dig through your cupboards and find something.”

Brian had to smile.  He remembered having energy like that. “I’ll be here, Bren.  See you soon.” So much for having a day to drink and wallow, Brian thought but he had to smile, too.  His phone pinged and he looked at it.

‘Gramps, get on your trunks, and yes you have to wear them.  We are going to swim.’  Bossy little shit.  He really had a lot of Justin in him. He loved all his grandchildren but he had to admit Brennon….well, Brennon was Brennon.


Justin arrived at the gallery bright and early the next morning.  He was anxious to get started.  The place was amazing.  As Justin walked through it for the first time the huge open space started to come to life.  He pictured partial, moveable walls that could be adjusted for each show.  He could picture different colors in different spots and looked at a wall they mentioned they would like a simple mural on.  His mind was already churning through ideas.  This was going to be great.

The remainder of the week Justin sketched and discussed and adjusted his plans and by the weekend he was tired but happy. He spent the weekend roaming through quaint shops and buying things for the family.  He found an antique necklace that was so perfect for Shelby and then he saw a bracelet that screamed Brinn.  He picked up both of them and gave his card to the owner.  He let him know he would be around about a month and was interested in any other unique pieces he came across.

“If you are really interested in this kind of jewelry, I am going to an estate auction tomorrow. I would love to have you accompany me,” the owner said flirting with Justin as he did so.

Justin smiled, remembering the day he would have been tempted to take the 40 something year old up on his unspoken invitation.  “I think I have enough to do this weekend but thanks for the invitation and if you see anything I might like, send a picture to that phone number and I will give you a top price.  I will give you say 40% over the price?”

“Oh, Mr. Taylor, I would be glad to do that.”

“Justin, please.”

“You are him, aren’t you?  I mean you are the artist. I have gone to see every one of your exhibits when they were in town.”

“I’m flattered.” The younger man laid his hand on Justin’s and squeezed. “Do you need someone to show you the city? I would…”

Justin took a step back, “Actually, I have a friend flying in and he has an itinerary planned out,” he lied.  “I better go now. I have a few more….but I am interested in more jewelry,” Justin said as he escaped out the door. For a split second he let himself imagine the tight body of the young man but then Brian’s face drifted into his thoughts and he knew Brian had more everything than the business owner could even imagine.

Justin spent the rest of the weekend painting as he looked over the sound.  He just felt so free right now.  He and Brian spoke every day and, even though he wouldn’t be coming to Seattle any time soon, Brennon was making him laugh and hearing Brian laugh lifted his spirits, too.  

By Monday, late in the afternoon, Justin rushed to the house.  Marcus would be there soon. He started the grill when he heard Marcus had landed and he put baked potatoes in the oven.  He had picked up some dessert at a little bakery nearby and several bottles of wine.  Tonight was for indulging.  They wouldn’t do that every night but tonight they could splurge.  He had bought a load of fresh seafood that he would put on the grill soon.  He kind of hated giving up his solitude but he was ready to see Marcus.  

Marcus rang the doorbell and looked around the corner to see a bit of the sound.  Justin’s voice came over the doorbell, “Door’s open. Come all the way through to the deck.”  Marcus heard a buzz and walked in.  He was greeted by light streaming from the back of the house all the way to the front door.  He dropped his bag and moved through the house until he saw Justin standing at the grill.  He rushed out the door and into Justin’s arms.  The men kissed and hugged for a long time without saying a word.  

“It is so good to see you,” Justin said as he stepped back, “and you are looking great! I can tell you’ve gotten a little sun the last week.” 

“I spent a couple days with Danny and Elliott and the kids.  We talked about Dan a lot and it was good.  I told them about when we met and how I didn’t want to admit I loved a man but I knew from the first night I did.” 

Justin poured them each a drink and walked to the grill to turn the food. “It will be done in just a few minutes.  Do you want to  clean up or anything before we eat? The view is so amazing out here I have been eating out here most nights.”

“If you point me toward my room I’ll drop by bag in there and wash up a bit. I’ll be back in five.” Justin pointed to a door and Marc reentered the house.  Marcus entered the spacious room.  He wondered what the sleeping arrangements would be.  He knew just because his things were in this room didn’t mean he would sleep here.  He knew he wasn’t ready for anything and he knew Justin would never betray Brian but ….. Nights were the hardest.

“Marc, you coming? I am finishing the potatoes off on the grill right now.  Can you grab the pitcher off the counter when you come through?”

“Got it,” Marc came out of the bedroom.  There was a pitcher full of something fruity on the counter, “Why do I think this is something deadly?”

“Probably because it is.  I told them I would be in late tomorrow.  I actually said it would be after lunch.” Justin kissed Marc’s cheek. “I really have enjoyed some time alone here but I have missed you.”

“I have missed you, too,  Justin. I almost went to your house a couple times last week but I get the feeling I wouldn’t be very welcome there.”

“I’m so sorry, Marcus. Brian just has to do this in his own time.  I know it isn’t easy and you aren’t doing anything wrong.  Everyone deals with these things in their own way.  Brian just has to process this.”

“That doesn’t make it easy for you.” Marcus cracked in to a king crab leg.  

“No, but Brennon is staying with him and I think that is really good for him.  He sounds good on the phone.”

“If he wants to come up, I would understand.  I ….”

“He isn’t that ready yet.  And if I admit it, I’m not ready for him yet.  I need to recover a bit more.”

“Tell me if I am being too much.  I do know how much you have been going through between the two of us.”

“Eat, Marcus.  This is too good to let it go completely cold.” Justin dipped a large lump of crab meat into butter and then stuck it in Marcus’ mouth.

His eyes rolled back in his eyes as he savored the flavor. “That nearly made me cum, that is so delicious.”  After saying it, Marcus went silent as he ate.

Justin reached over and touched Marc’s arm, “Dan would have laughed if he heard you say that.  Dan had a great sense of humor, even though he tried to hide it.”

“Everything about Dan was great,” he sighed.  “I miss him so much.”

“You know he would want you to go on. I’m not saying he would want you to jump into bed with every man you see but… He wouldn’t expect you to not ever have sex again.”

“I know that and I’m not ready for…..well my body might say something different but I am not ready and won’t be ready to date for a very long time.  I can’t imagine sharing my life with anyone else.”

Justin refilled their glasses, “I know this isn’t going to help but I think we both deserve to forget everything tonight.  Tomorrow I will suffer through work and you can explore some of your favorite places and then this weekend….well this weekend we will see what plans we can come up with.”

“I don’t know what is in this stuff but, god it’s good and it is lethal!” Marcus said before downing the entire glass and held it out for a refill. “And you’re right, we deserve to just forget everything tonight.”

They ate and they drank until the sun set and the air off the water went cool. Justin offered his hand to Marcus and as he stood they leaned into each other and kissed. At first it was just a gentle kiss but then it deepened.  When they stepped apart, Marcus looked deep into Justin’s loving eye, “Justin, can I sleep with you? I don’t want anything else. I just need to feel someone next to me.”

“Oh, Marc, of course, of course you can share my bed. I could use the warmth myself.”

Ten minutes later Justin pulled Marcus close.  “Is the room spinning for you?”

“Ya. what did you put in that stuff?”

“Just a little of this and a little of that and, oh ya, it might be the cannabis brew I put in it.”

“That’s why I feel so relaxed. I love you, Justin. Good night.” Marcus kissed Justin once more and then fell into a deep restful sleep.

Justin repositioned himself and soon joined Marcus in a deep sleep.


“Hey, Gramps, Mom said that Marcus flew to Seattle today.  What’s he doing there?”

“Running away,” Brian said under his breath. 

“What?” Brennon asked from the kitchen where he was making a late night snack.

“I think he hopes to forget, although I think he is forgetting Dan fast enough. I wonder if he even…” Brian stopped.

“Why don’t you like Marcus?” Brennon sat next to Brian giving him a small bowl of ice cream and set a huge bowl down in front of him. He took a spoonful and looked at Brian.

“It’s not that I don’t like him but, I just don’t know how he can just forget his husband so easily.  I mean after more than 25 years…..and by Fourth of July he was having a great time with friends.”

“Grandpa, we all have our own ways of dealing with stuff.  Marcus knows Dan would want him to keep living his life.  Hell, he’s still a fox.  Maybe I should see if he would like to teach me a thing or….”

“Brennon,” Brian said sharply but then reached over and touched his cheek, “having him alone with my husband is bad enough,” he said softly.  “I think I should go to bed.  I’m tired.”

“Grandpa, did I say something wrong?” Brennon took his hand and squeezed it.

“I’m just old and crotchety. Just ignore me, everyone else does.”

“Is that aimed at Grandpa since he went to Seattle? I never seen anyone love another person as much as the two of you love each other.  He left because he had a short term job offer.”

Brian sighed, “I know. I’m tired.  I’ll see you in the morning.” 

Brennon hugged Brian tightly.  “Can we go into town tomorrow? I could use a little shopping trip.  I’ve grown a lot this summer and some of my clothes is even too tight for a gay twink.”

Now Brian threw his head back and laughed, “I think that might be just what I need.  It’s been a long time since I took a twink shopping.” Brian started walking out of the kitchen but turned at the last minute, “I love you, Brennon.”

“I love you, too, Grandpa.” He bounded over and gave him a hug before going back and sat by his ice cream.  “I’ll make sure everything is locked when I go to bed.”

 

Brian waved over his shoulder and walked down the hall to his bedroom.  Shopping with his grandson was going to be interesting. He smiled as he shut his bedroom doors.


Chapter 6 by Simply written

Chapter 6


Brian hadn’t felt this kind of tired for a very long time. Brennon had run him for hours and he had eventually found a bench and handed him a credit card.  When they finally got home, Brennon poured Brian a glass of iced tea and told him to go relax.  

Brian took a couple swallows of the tea and then walked out to the pool. He set the glass down and opened the refrigerator in the outside kitchen and grabbed a beer.  He glanced at the door and stripped before getting into the hot tub. Every muscle ached as he sat down in the warm water.  This time of the year they didn’t keep the temperature high but the moving water on his skin helped him relax as his head dropped against the headrest. He swallowed the last of the beer and as he set the bottle down he felt it being pulled out of his hand and an ice cold one replacing it. He opened his eyes and looked up to see Gus pulling off his work jeans and slipped in next to his dad. 

“This is just the perfect temperature.”

“Ya, warm enough but not cloyingly hot.” Brian took a swallow of the fresh beer.

“Brennon said he may have been a little hard on you today.”

“He didn’t call you, did he?”

“No, nothing like that.  I just got off work a little early and thought I’d say hi.  I’m going to Trenton’s house tonight and…”

"Shelby seems to have taken on a new attitude to the two of you.”

“She has.  She saw us together on the Fourth and she decided…”

“You had sex at your house before we got there?”

“No, Pops, she just saw us loving each other and she realized it really was love and not just sex.”

“Good.  You can finally be you.  Is he moving in? He could just as…”

“No, that’s not happening.  First of all, Pen’s place is so amazing he would never give it up but I wouldn’t put that on Shelby. She’s cool with it but that just wouldn’t be fair to her, well any of us.”

“I think I understand.”

“Let me guess, you’re both naked in there,” Brennon said as he walked up.

“Oh well, if you can’t beat um, join um.” Brennon set down his soda and took off his shirt and shorts and then  walked to the steps of the tub, closed his eyes and took off his briefs before immediately going down the steps.

“You do know that you shutting your eyes doesn’t make you go invisible, right?”  Gus joked with his nephew.

“Well, it's obvious you both have seen plenty of junk in your lives.  Should I be embarrassed by anything you saw?”

Brian and Gus let their eyes meet for a split second.  Gregarious Brennon was letting his insecurity show for just a moment.  They let it go for the moment.  Gus talked with them for a few more minutes and then he stood and moved out of the tub.  “Speaking of junk, I have some waiting for me. Oh, Pops, have you talked to Dad lately?”

“I talk to him every day, Gus.”

“Everything going alright up there?”

“He seems to be having a great time,” Brian said and then emptied his beer.  “Can you grab me one of those?”

Gus got him a new beer and looked at Brennon, “Cut him off.  This is his third.”  

“Little Shit,” he mumbled as Gus rushed off.

Brennon smirked, “He is just watching out for you, Gramps.  What would you like for dinner?”

“We could just have a frozen pizza or grill some burgers or chicken. I hope to have a nice talk with Justin tonight and then go to bed early.”

“Burgers sound good to me and we just picked up beef and rolls so that will be easy to put together.”

“Brennon, you know you don’t have to cook for me, right? And if you want to have friends over or go to a friends….  Do you have someone you are interested in? Someone that makes your dick twitch?”

“Grandpa….” Brennon turned six shades of red.

“Brennon, you know I don’t beat around the bush.  You are a great looking kid and be assured your ‘junk' is just fine.  I don’t want you to think I was staring but as a grandfather, I’m proud to have such beautiful grandchildren.  You shouldn’t doubt that you are physically beautiful but more important, you have your grandpa Justin’s heart. Any young man would be lucky to have you in his life. Is there someone you have an eye on?”

“Well, ya.  Maybe I’ll see if he can come over some afternoon and use the pool.  He doesn’t have one of his own.”

“He is welcome to come up and I can pick him up or drop him off or whatever.  And he could spend the night if that works better.”

“Thanks, Grandpa.  How did you know I was….”

“Because you are a nearly 16 year old who is like every other 16 year old.”

Brennon moved over and hugged Brian and then kissed his cheek, “You really think I am like Grandpa.”

“I really do.” He hugged him tight for a minute.

“You miss him, don’t you?”

“I think it is time to get dinner started before I fall asleep.” Brian stood up, unembarrassed of his nakedness, and walked into the house without answering his grandson.


Brian and Brennon had burgers and a salad together for an early dinner.  When they finished eating Brennon stood and brought his dishes to the sink and then started to clean up.  Brian walked over to him and hugged him like he had hugged Justin so many times. He kissed Brennon’s cheek and then softly said, “Go have some fun.  You have been with this old man all day.  I’ll clean up and then I have a date with your grandfather so I probably won’t see you again tonight.  Of course if you need me….”

“I’m fine, Grandpa.  Thanks!” He kissed Brian before moving out of the kitchen.


Justin was glad the week was up.  Marcus had started getting quieter as the week went on.  He knew Marc had been visiting places he had gone with Dan and by tonight, Marcus had feigned a headache and went to his room as soon as they shared a light dinner. A half hour later, Justin had made a cup of tea and tapped on the door, letting himself in.  Marcus was sitting in a chair staring out the window into the darkening night. “Marc, I made you some tea.”

“Thanks, but I….”

“Marcus, remember that famous punch I made the first night?” Marc nodded.  “Same magic ingredient.  Drink this and go to bed.  The next two days are all yours and I think we can work our way through the city.  I will leave you alone but if you need me, you know where to find me.” He set the tea on the table next to him and kissed Marcus, “I love you, my friend.”

“I love you, too, Justin.” He picked up the tea, “Thank you.” Justin saw the first tear slip from Marc’s eye as he turned to leave the room.

Justin grabbed a glass, a bottle of Jack, and a blanket and went to sit on the deck looking over the sound and waited for Brian’s call.  Brennon had texted him about half an hour earlier and said Brian was going to call him soon.  He missed his husband so badly but they both needed a little space.  Brennon said he was doing good and seemed to be a little less sullen the last couple days.

As Justin poured a second glass his phone vibrated and his heart fluttered.  “Hi Bri, how was your day shopping with Bren.”

Justin was sure he could hear Brian smile, “I love all our grandkids but that young man…. He wore me out but it was fun.  What have you been up to?”

“I’m making good progress.”

“Does that mean you’ll come home early?”

“I’m on schedule so, no, I doubt early but I should be done on the scheduled date.  Do you think you will come up for the grand opening?”

“I don’t know. You’re coming home next next Friday, right?”  Brian let his loneliness seep through his voice for a moment.

“Oh, yes, darling.  I’ll be there.  I miss you so much. Marcus is ….” Justin heard Brian almost grunt.  “I’m sorry you can’t seem to see he is hurting.  I expect it to be a rough weekend for both of us, but especially him.”

“Don’t let him tire you out.  You have worked hard all week and if he….”

“Brian, please, I have been aching to talk to you all day. I don’t want to argue.” Justin emptied his glass.

“I’m sorry, Sunshine. I just ….I love you and I ….. It’s going to be a long week. I want to see you so badly.  I want to feel you next to me.  Tomorrow Bren might have a friend over and if our grandson ... “

“Oh, Bri, I wish you were... Never mind.  Next Friday I will be home and I hope we can spend Saturday in bed.”

“Sunshine,” Brian’s low chuckle made Justin shiver with need for him.  “I don’t have the energy to spend the whole day in bed anymore.”

“Oh, darling, I just want to feel your arms around me.  I am just so lonely sleeping alone.”

“You’ve really been sleeping alone?”

“Bri, we have shared a bed a couple nights but it had nothing to do with sex, just comfort.”

“Maybe you can get enough done this week that you won’t have to go back.”

“Brian, I’ll be home for the weekend but I will be coming back here at least two weeks, probably three weeks after that.  I signed a contract. Can’t we just talk about our family, about our vineyard, about how it feels to lie next to each other…..” Justin was just exhausted with this conversation.  He just wanted to have his old Brian back.  He wanted him to try to …. “Brian, I’m getting a headache.  I think I better get out of the chilly night air.  I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Sunshine….I’m….I love you.”

“I love you, too, Brian,” and with that he ended the call.  He moved into the house and when he got to the bedrooms, he undressed in his room but then walked across the hall to Marcus’ room.  He saw that Marc was asleep so Justin slipped into bed, naked, and moved up behind him, draping an arm around him.

Marcus mumbled, “You don’t have to…”

“I need you tonight, Marc.”  

Marcus turned around and kissed Justin, pulling him close. “Ok, Justin,” and he drifted back to sleep.

Justin was almost relieved he went back to sleep.  He wasn’t sure how strong he was right now.  He missed Brian so much but he was also angry with him. He knew Brian wasn’t doing it on purpose but couldn’t he see he was hurting, too.  Dan was his friend, too.  Everyone seemed to need him.  Maybe coming back to Seattle alone after his visit home was a good thing. He just needed to get lost in his work. He could take care of himself if he had to but he needed time.

The next morning Justin woke and felt Marcus’ lips on his. For a moment he deepened the kiss but then he woke more completely and moved back a bit.  “Good morning.  Hope you don’t mind I bunked in here.”

“Of course not.  Is everything alright?  I think I remember you getting in and saying something about needing company.  Did you talk to Brian last night?”

“I did. I just miss him so much but I will not break my contract.  Right now it is my secure place.”

“I’m not making things easier on you, am I?”

“I have loved you visiting, Marc.  You and I both know this might be a hard couple days but then I think next week, hopefully, you’ll be able to enjoy your time here.” They had talked about Marcus’ heavy feeling growing all week and how Justin going with him to these spots might help him face the memories and see them for what they were, the good adventures they had, not the opportunities they had missed.

“Let’s take a shower.  I’ll scrub your back if you’ll scrub mine.”  Marcus said as he slid out of bed.  Justin had to admire his body as he walked across the room.  He was a good looking man and he hoped, eventually, Marcus would find someone that could make him happy.  If Brian ever came around they might include him once in a while but right now that would never happen. Justin followed him into the bathroom, hoping this wasn’t a mistake.

As they soaped each other’s body, Marcus reached down and stroked Justin’s cock.  It was only a matter of moments before he was hard and Marcus was, too.  He reached over and began doing the same for Marcus and soon they both stood their with eyes closed in their own thoughts but as Marcus came and then Justin did, they both finished washing themselves off and then getting out of the shower without another word between them.  As Justin dressed in his own room he realized he was missing Brian but he knew he would see him in five days.  Marcus would never see Dan again.


Throughout the weekend, Justin avoided Brian’s calls.  He sent a couple texts saying he was busy but things were good. On Saturday, Marcus had taken Justin to a park and then a lovely small cafe that he and Dan had visited several times.  Justin listened to Marcus’ memories, held his hand, and wiped his tears. By Sunday evening, Marcus wanted to stay at the house.  They ordered in Chinese and as it rained outside, they sat on the sofa, passing boxes back and forth and talking about Dan.  There were lots of laughs and both shed lots of tears.  

As they finished their food, Justin got a text from Brennon.  ‘You better call Grandpa tonight.  He is upset you won’t answer.’

“Brian?” Marcus asked as he laid his head down on Justi’s shoulder.

“Brennon. Sounds like I need to answer the next time he calls.”

“You know you can call him.  I’m about cried out,” he smiled and kissed Justin’s cheek, “and I really do feel lighter.  I know Dan doesn’t want me to keep living in the past and this weekend has helped a lot.”

“I’ll talk to him a little later.  I need a little more saki before taking Brian on.”

“Would it help if I talk to him after I go back home?”

“I really don’t think so. I think he could be harsh and that is just his grief but you don’t have to try to get through to him.”

“Justin, who looks after you?”

“Oh, you all do.  Don’t worry about me. My work right now is just what I need.  As I paint the mural I’m working on, I have lots of good memories.  I’ve been thinking back to the old days in New York City and how Dan was always there for us. I have Brinn today and therefore, Justice, Brennon, and Zander because of Dan.  He was always there for us.  You have always been there, too.  Brian just deals with grief differently and it is so hard for him to say goodbye when he cares.”

“Justin, I know Brian is a good man and the love of your life but right now …..”

“He just doesn’t know how to mourn.  Even he knows that.” Justin’s phone rang just then.  “It’s him.”

“Take it if you want.  I’ll clean up dinner.”

Justin kissed Marcus’ and as he walked to his room he answered the phone, “Hey, Brian.  Hold on.” Justin got into his room and shut the door. “I’m back.”

“Have to put on your pants?” Justin could immediately hear Brian had been drinking.

“Brian, we were just finishing dinner. I went to my room so I can talk to you.” He had an edge to his voice.  He just didn’t have the patience for this.  He was emotionally drained after the day with Marcus.

“I’m surprised you even answered. You haven’t picked up all weekend.”

“Have you been drinking all weekend?”

“Fuck if I have to answer to….sorry, I’ve had a couple drinks.”

“From the sound of your voice you have had several. Is that making you feel better?  Is it bringing Dan back or is it just helping you forget he’s gone. Damn, Brian.  I’ll call you back in a little while.” Justin hung up.   He called Brinn instead.   “Hey, Sweetheart.”

“Daddy, it’s so good to hear you.  I miss you.” She took a breath, “What’s wrong? You don’t sound good.”

“Can you go talk to your dad? I just can’t deal with him right now and he’s drunk and…”

“Slow down, Daddy.  Are you alright? You sound really stressed.”

“I’ll admit I am emotionally drained after the day with Marcus but he is doing so well.  I just need a good night's sleep and right now I just can’t….”

“Say no more, Daddy.  I am heading over there now.  You get some sleep.  I will take care of Dad.”

“Thank you.  Tell him how much I love him but….”

“I’ve got this.  Good night.”

“Night, love.”

Brinn drove over to the main house.  She texted Brennon and found out Brian was sitting by the pool. When she got out of the car, he met her.  “Mom, I have tried to get him to stop drinking and I had but once Grandpa hung up on him, he won’t let me take the bottle from him.”

“Don’t worry, Bren.  I will deal with my dad. You know if you wanted to move back to the house, we could figure something else out for him.”

“No, Mom, he needs me and most of the time I like being with him.  He even said I could invite my friend over to spend a day or two.”

“That’s great.  That would do him good, too.  We’ll talk after I see him.” She kissed her son’s cheek and rushed to the back of the house. Brian was just pouring another glass as she came through the gate to the pool area.

“Let me guess, your daddy,” his voice was mocking, “sent you.” He took a swig of whiskey.

“Yes, he did because he loves you so much he couldn’t tell you what an asshole you were being.” Brinn put both hands on her hips. She walked over and snatched the glass out of his hand and downed the remainder. 

“Well, I guess you told me.” Brian brought the bottle up to his lips and tilted it back. 

“Dad, I know you are hurting. I really do. Uncle Dan had been a friend for so many years, he was family. Do you really think he would want you to keep pushing Daddy away?”

“I’m not…..he left.  He won’t answer his phone.  He…”

“Dad, he’s mourning, too. He loved Dan, too. I know your bond was closer and he knows how much you’re hurting but why are you taking it out on him?”

Brian set the bottle down and putting his elbows on his knees he dropped his head in his hands.  Brinn walked up behind him and wrapped her arm around his neck and hugged him tightly. “Daddy, it isn’t helping anyone.  He needs you as much as you need him.”

“I….he just can’t be gone.  I need him.”

“What does this have to do with Daddy?  Can he bring Uncle Dan back?”

“He could be here for me,” Brian said softly.

“He was here for several weeks.  He thought you would come with him which would have been good for you to have a change of scenery.  None of that is his fault.” Brinn came around and sat gently on her father’s lap and hugged him.  “He knows you are trying but he also had to go on with his job,” Brinn looked into his face.  “He’ll be home next weekend.”

“I know.” Brian took a big breath and Brinn stood up, helping him to his feet.

“Let’s get you into bed, Daddy.” Brinn helped him into his room and then into bed. She tucked him in and kissed him. “I’ll check on you in the morning.”  She stayed in the room until she heard him breathing deeply and slowly.

Brinn walked out to find Brennon. “Gramps asleep now?”

“He is, Bren.  Are you sure you don’t mind staying here with him?  I could stay if you don’t want to…”

“Mom, I want to stay.  I know you are close and, most of the time, he is a lot of fun.  I am getting to know him so much better.”

“Ok, darling, but don’t hesitate to call me. Now, what is this about  you inviting a friend over?”

“He’s a friend from school that I started talking to more this summer.  I really like him but to be honest, I don’t know if he is gay or not.  I think he is just a friend but I can tell he doesn’t have a lot.  He has been working most of the summer but right now he isn’t working so I thought he might like to come out here and swim and stuff. Do you think that would be too much for Gramps?”

“No, not at all.  I think it would be good for him to have more young men around here.  It will distract him.  Just keep me in the loop, too, so I know what’s going on.”

“Ok, Mom.  Love you.”

“I love you , too.” Brinn hugged and kissed her son before leaving. Brennon went back to his room and called his friend, Jed.  

“Hey, Bren! What’s up, man?”

“I talked to Gramps and Mom and both said you should come out for a while.  It doesn’t matter how long you stay.  There are lots of bedrooms and a pool and four wheelers. Why don’t you come out for a few days? No one cares how long you stay.”

“I don’t know.  I mean I would love to but my mom and dad …. Well, I mentioned it and they weren’t sure I would be welcome up with the rich people.  That was their words not mine. My parents, especially my dad, has a thing about staying with our own kind.”

“What does he mean your own kind? Is he talking about the fact you are black?”

“That is part of it but I think he is more talking about how much money you have.  Everyone knows your family is rich.  Not that he thinks you are bad.  In fact, my grandma could afford to have an operation because of something your dads set up at the hospital. But he says people that have as much money as you do don’t know what it is like to be normal working guys.”

“Well, I’m told my great grandfather worked as a plumber or electrician or painter or something.  But my grandpa put himself through college and then got rich on his own and of course my other grandpa was just lucky to be born with a lot of talent.”

“Ya, my family didn’t get any of that luck.  Well, he also has a little problem with them being gay. If we stayed at your house he probably wouldn’t care but if we stay with your grandfather…”

“Jed, you know I’m gay, right?”

“I kind of figured.  So am…” he stopped.  “I’ll just ask if I can stay with you.  I don’t have to specify which house I stay at.  I will talk to them and get back to you.  I really want to come out.”

“Just let me know in the morning.  Gramps said you are welcome as long as you want to stay.”

The call ended and Brennon smiled.   Was Jed going to say he was gay, too? Brennon looked forward to getting to know him a little better. Or if he was interested maybe….?

Brennon got into bed and could only think about Jed possibly coming to visit and realized he should text his mom in the morning just in case Jed’s parents tried calling her about Jed staying over. Why wait until morning? He texted Brinn and then got in bed and went to sleep.

Brinn read the text as she got in bed next to Zach. She had put on a silk negligee while she was in the bathroom.  She had put his favorite perfume on and brushed her hair so it cascaded around her face.

“God, woman, you are too gorgeous.” Zach buried his face in the silk between her breasts. “And you smell so good.” His mouth worked its way to hers as his hand traveled down her side looking for the bottom of her gown.  

As his hand found what he was looking for, she arched to meet his finger. “Oh, Zach, you still always know exactly what….” her whole body shuddered as she orgasmed for the first time. 

“I hope you want more than that.”

“Oh, don’t worry, Lulu, I’m planning on making a night out of it.”

The next day Brinn saved a step and contacted Jed’s mother and told her they would love to have his company and that Brennon was a bit lonely with his twin brother gone for the summer.  Brian and Brennon would pick him up at 2:00 p.m.  So it was settled that Jed would stay up at the vineyard at least until Friday and maybe the weekend.  Brinn had already said if he stayed until the weekend the boys could stay at Stone House so Brian and Justin could have the house alone.

By Friday afternoon, Jed felt comfortable at the Main house.  This house was five times the size of the house he lived in with his parents and two siblings.  The boys grabbed a backpack of necessities and jumped on one of the four wheelers and went through the vineyard to Stone House.  They then went and raided the cupboard and fridge at Brinn and Zach’s before moving in for the weekend.

By Friday afternoon, Brian couldn’t sit still.  The minute the boys were out of the house he went back to the bedroom and started getting ready for Justin to arrive.  He started by taking a nap, wanting to have plenty of energy tonight.


Justin worked until noon and then Marcus picked him up at the gallery and they went to the airport to meet John.  They landed at the small local airport where Tony had met them.  He was going to bring Justin and Marcus home while John did the post flight check.  Tony dropped Marcus off and then drove Justin to the vineyard.  “Tony, John said you haven’t seen Brian?”

“No, he has been staying close to home.”

“What aren’t you saying, Tony?”

“I just think Brian really needs to get out of this funk.  Maybe when you get done in Seattle the two of you should take a trip to Italy or Ibiza.  Jonna would love to see you. John and I are talking about visiting Milan anyway.”

“I’ll mention it to him.  It has been a long time since we have been to Ibiza.  Maybe we should take one last trip.” Tony pulled the car in front of the house and Justin jumped out, grabbing his bag.  “I’ll see you Monday morning.” He kissed Tony through the open window and then turned to see Brian coming out of the house. Justin tried to stay calm but he rushed into Brian’s arms and sighed as he felt the long limbs wrap around him.

They stood there for a long time before slowly separating and entering the house. They hadn’t spoken all week.  They had sent texts but Justin had said he wouldn’t talk this week. He had needed time to just have a week without conflict.  He felt selfish but if he didn’t focus on himself for a bit, it would take even longer for him to get some strength back. He had also told Brian he didn’t want to fight this weekend. He wanted them to enjoy each others’ company, not fight about Marcus. He promised not to mention him if Brian did the same.

“I have missed you so much,” Justin said as he kissed Brian again and led him to the sofa in the living room.  They sat side by side with Brian’s arms holding on to Justin so tightly it was almost uncomfortable.  “Bri, I’m not going to try to run away.”

Brian smiled, “Sorry, I just needed to make sure you were really here. Did you have a good flight?”

“We did.  I think John enjoys having these short flights yet.  When Tony drove me home he mentioned going to Italy and thought we might enjoy going to Milan or Ibiza, maybe in the fall.”

“Right now, Sunshine, I just want to hold you.  We can talk about that later.”

“You are so right. Did you make any plans for the weekend or are we just going to spend our time in the pool and with each other.”

“Do you want to go out and do something?”

“I want to do anything that includes you.  I would be satisfied lying in bed all weekend as long as you were there with me.” Justin reached up and gently guided Brian’s mouth down to his.  With his hand resting on Brian’s cheek he said softly, I love you, Brian.  I always have and I always will.”

“Oh, Sunshine, I never really doubted that.  I know you do as I love you.  I thought maybe tomorrow night we would go somewhere for dinner but tonight, well actually pretty soon, George is going to put something in our oven that we can eat later.  He promised to make something special for us, something he made himself, not one of his students.”

“Um, that will be good.  Brian, I’m not asking for anything more but can we stretch out on bed so I can feel your skin on mine?”

Brian took his hand and laid it on his erection, “I think I can do much better than just lay with you.”

Justin nearly went down on him right there but instead stood up and offered Brian his hand. “What time is George coming?”

“George knows to let himself in and leave us instructions if we aren’t around. He’s a smart man.”

“I like the way you think.”

They took their time.  At their age there was no rush. They didn’t try new tricks anymore.  Just the act of being together, touching each other, was all they needed to feel.  That’s all they wanted to feel.  They touched and explored more than they had for a very long time and when Brian finally entered him he struggled to hold on because he wanted it to last as long as he could.  Justin cried out and as he contracted around Brian, Brian joined him in climax. 

Neither moved for several minutes.  They heard George come and go earlier but they didn’t want to rush this moment. It was as perfect as they could expect it. Eventually, Justin turned and pressed himself tightly against Brian and just dropped feather light kisses all over his face and neck.  

“If this is what it means to get old, I wouldn’t have worried about it,” Justin whispered in Brian’s ear.  “I love you, more today than ever before.”

Brian opened his mouth to say something but closed it again and just held Justin a little closer. Eventually his embrace loosened a bit.  “Are you hungry?  I have a feeling our dinner is probably ready.”

“I am.” Justin ran his hand down Brian’s side, making him shiver. 

“Let’s go eat and you can tell me all about your work.  I can see you are enjoying your time there.”

Justin realized there was no negative undertone to the comment. “I would love that and then maybe a little swim and soak in the hot tub?”

“That sounds like a perfect evening.” They both got up and slipped into robes.  “You know what the best part of that plan is?”

“What, Sunshine?”

“The two of us are in the same place.” Justin kissed him and headed to the door.

Ten minutes later they were sitting out by the outside dining table, eating the meal George had dropped off.  “So is Brennon keeping you company?”

“That kid is so intuitive.  He reminds me of you that way.  He has a friend visiting right now.  They are staying at Stone House for the weekend.”

“What kind of friend?”

“Brennon says they are just friends mainly because he isn’t sure whether or not Jed is gay.  He likes the guy and I know he has a crush on him but he realizes friendship is the most important thing right now.  If more comes from it, great. Like I said he is a smart kid.”

“I bet you are enjoying him.”

“He isn’t you.” This time there was a trace of sadness.  “I know it won’t be long and you’ll be back. About 3 weeks?”

“That sounds about right.  I am done with most of the design responsibilities so will mostly be working on the mural.  It has been a long time since I have done that kind of work.”

“I’m glad you are finding ….. Justin, I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you were mourning Dan, too.”

Justin looked at Brian’s sincere eyes, and ran a fingertip along his jaw.  “Thank you for that. I do miss him.   Dan had a surety about him that added a calm to everything.  I miss seeing you interacting with him because he could always read your mood and you would respond to his lead.” Justin hugged him, “You were lucky to have each other.  George had left one large piece of cake they hadn’t asked for but it looked so decedent. “Let’s go swim and we can eat this later,” he wrapped a napkin around the dessert.  He stood dropping the robe in his chair as he walked to the pool.  Brian was only two steps behind him as they both slipped into the cool water of the pool.


“Bren, have you really always lived like this? This place is so cool.  Is this place old or does it just look old?” Jed stretched out putting his feet on the coffee table in front of the sofa in Stone House.

“Ya, this is the only place I have lived and yes, this place is really old. My uncle fixed it up for him and his lover to use. Oh, please don’t say that anywhere.  I know a lot of people know about it but I don’t want to spread it around.”

“Your uncle’s wife knows about this lover?”

“Ya, well, I never met that guy.  He had moved on before I was born but Uncle Gus has been married to Shelby for 30 years but he has been with Trenton for more than half of that time now. Gus is definitely bisexual and needs both and I can’t imagine it but Aunt Shelby has known about it their whole marriage so he didn’t hide it.”

“Wow, I can’t imagine my family ever talking about that kind of stuff.  I can’t imagine my parents ever talking about anything like that except to make a slur about gay sex. I don’t know why he thinks he has to make fun of it.”

“You don’t seem to have any problems with someone being gay.” Brennon looked him in the eye.

“Brennon, everyone knows you are gay but you’re cool about it.  You are secure about it.”

Brennon, sitting next to him, turned to face Jed and without thinking about it reached to brush Jed’s hair off his forehead. “I don’t know about secure but I grew up with gay couples everywhere. I mean my Uncle Gus has two moms and two dads.  I just am careful because I don’t want to make others uncomfortable and I don’t want Zander to have to defend me.  He’s a great brother.”

“I can tell you two really do get along.”

“Well, most of the time.  We fight sometimes, too.”

“Brennon, have you ever…. Well, are you a …. Have you ever kissed anyone?”

“No, not like that kind of a kiss.  Have you?”

“I kissed a girl when I was 14.  We kind of dated but neither of us were old enough to date so what that meant was we went to a couple movies together.”

“And what was it like? The kiss, not the movies.”

“How the hell would I know? I was too scared to remember.” They both laughed and Brennon turned on the TV.


Before Brian and Justin wanted it, it was Sunday night.  They lay in bed after making love.  They both looked at the stars they could see through the skylight. “I love that view. I know it is a hoaky, old saying but I feel like I could reach out and touch them but it looks like clouds are rolling in,” Justin said as he moved even a little closer to Brian and Brian’s arm tightened.  “Bri, you could… I’m sorry.  I promised I wouldn’t do this.”

“Sunshine, I… by the time you return I’ll be back to normal.  I promise.”

“Brian, I don’t care about normal.  Dan is gone.  I understand that normal isn’t what it used to be.  I just want you to be happy again.  I saw a few smiles this weekend and I loved it.  I do know you are trying.  I love you for it.” He turned into Brian and kissed him as Brian held him close. As they fell asleep, it began to rain.


Brennon and Jed bounded into Stone House as the skies opened up and poured. They had been swimming with Brinn and Zach and the boys had stayed just a few minutes too long.  They were both laughing as they dripped onto the stone floor.  “Be careful, it’s going to be slick with wet feet.”  

Jed took a step toward the stairs and he nearly fell.  Brennon reached out and caught him and Jed ended up in Brennon’s embrace.  There had been a little sexual tension between them all weekend but now the air was palpable. 

“Um thanks, Bren.”

Brennon loosened his hold just a bit and asked, “You Ok? Did you…”

Jed put a hand on the back of Brennon’s neck and moved closer and closer until their lips met. “Oh, shit, Bren, I didn’t mean to…  I can’t be….if I’m gay or bi my dad won’t let me back in the house.  I have known that for years.  He has told me that for years.  Do you think he knows already?  I, god…” Jed turned and with some care, he rushed up the steps and soon it was just Brennon.  He smiled as he looked at the steps Jed just went up.

So that’s what a kiss was like.  He hoped to get at least one more of those tonight but he also was concerned for Jed. He seemed very upset.  He couldn’t imagine what it would be like to think you wouldn’t be accepted because of who you were attracted to.

Brennon dried himself off in the kitchen and then wrapped a towel around his waist, sat on the sofa and turned on the TV.  He also turned on the fire.  He knew it really wasn’t that cold but it would cool off a lot with the rain and he had stayed here before.  The stone house could feel chilly quickly.  

Jed came down a little hesitant about 20 minutes later. He had taken a quick shower and was in jeans and a T shirt.  “Jed, you know you are safe here, right?  I won’t say a word if you don’t want me to.”  He sat down on the other end of the sofa.  “I’m going to go shower.  I’ll be down in a little while.  Why don’t you check the freezer and see if there is a pizza or something else good in there.”  With that Brennon went upstairs.  He knew he had to tell his parents about Jed’s fears.  Jed needed to know he had a safe place to come if he decided to tell his parents.

Brennon could smell something when he got out of the shower so he pulled on shorts and went down.  “What are we having?”

“It’s a pizza but I have never seen a pizza like that.  I don’t think it came from a store.  It looks like some kind of…”

“It’s a Father George pizza.  They are SO good.  What was on it?”

“It said You Got It on the sticker.”

“Oh, that’s his everything pizza.  It is SO good.”

“Who is Father George? I have never heard of that brand.”

Brennon laughed as he peeked in the oven. “George is my sister’s biological father. My dad has cystic fibrosis and wasn’t supposed to be able to father kids and George was a family friend. Anyway, he has that cooking school in town and he always brings us food for the freezer.”

“That’s cool.  Do you know who your father is? I mean I know your dad is your dad but…”

“I know what you mean,” Brennon leaned over the kitchen counter and looked at Jed on the sofa.  Did he tell him the whole mixed up story? “Well,” the timer went off on the oven.  “Pizza is done.” He was glad he could change the subject.  He would tell Jed the whole story sometime. He cut the pizza and after throwing a towel on the table he brought the pan over and set it on the towel and tossed a roll of paper towels on the sofa between them. “Dig in.”

The boys were silent for a while as they each ate a couple slices of pizza and then they slowed down as they each grabbed another slice but sat back to enjoy it.  “This might be the best pizza I have ever had.”

“I told you it was good,” Brennon responded.

As Jed reached for one more slice his phone rang.  He actually jumped and after laying the slice down he picked up his phone and looked to see it was his mom calling.  “Hey, Mom, I planned to call you.” There was silence, “Ok, ya, I understand.” Silence.  “Sure, let me know what you end up doing.”

Brennon set his pizza down too and looked at his friend.  Jed’s expression had gotten very serious. As soon as he hung up he stood and began pacing. “Jed, what is it? Are your parents coming to get you?”

“No, just the opposite.  They’ve already talked to your mom.  I’m going to be staying for a few more days.”

“Oh, that’s cool but why do I think it isn’t cool.”

“It’s my dad. He was in an accident.  Mom’s already talked to your mom and I’m going to just be staying here for now.  My little sisters are at my aunt’s house but she really doesn’t have room,” he started pacing faster, “her house is already full so I’m staying out here. I was just complaining about him and…” Brennon stood and wrapped his arms around his friend as Jed held on tightly.  After standing like that for a couple minutes, there was a knock on the door and Brinn’s voice.  “Bren, let me in please.” 

“Just a second, Mom.” Brennon looked at Jed and made sure he was standing on his own before he let go of him and moved to the door, letting Brinn in.

Brinn went into mother mode.  She walked over to Jed and put an arm around him, “You talked to your mom?”  He nodded. “I know you have to be upset.  Your mom is going to call me in the morning and I will bring you wherever she would like me to bring you, or Dad will but I told your mom you were welcome here as long as you needed a place to stay,”  Brinn noticed how Brennon slipped his arm around his friend and how Jed leaned against him for a moment. “I’ll let you boys finish watching your movie.  Bren, can I talk to you on the porch?”  Brinn moved to the door and Brennon followed her.

“Is it worse than you told him, Mom?”

“No, well, I don’t know.  Brennon, are you and Jed… You haven’t had sex have you?”

“No, Mom, we have done nothing more than kiss once.”

“I know you are smart and I know you care about him, but please don’t have sex tonight.  You should never do something like that for the first time when emotions…”

“I got it, Mom.”

“If you do have sex, there are condoms in the bedstand. Use them.”  Brinn kissed her son and waved as she walked away.  “Oh, and I don’t want to know about it.”  Brinn jogged across the drive between Stone House and their house before stopping once she was out of the rain and waved at him.  “Love you, Bren.”

“Love you, too, Mom.”  Brennon rushed back into the house to find Jed pacing again.  “Come sit down, Jed.” Brennon looped an arm around his shoulders.  “Eat the rest of your pizza.  I’ll be right back.” Brennon opened a bottle of wine and poured them each a glass.   “We aren’t going to get drunk but I think a little of this will calm you down so you can sleep.”

An hour later Brennon and Jed lay side by side the last two nights they had shared the large bed but slept on opposite sides of the mattress but tonight Brennon pulled him close and put his arms around him holding him close.  He kissed Jed once and said, “Sleep.  Mom will let us know what’s going on in the morning.”  

“Thanks, Bren. I….. thanks.”  The boys drifted off to sleep late in the night.


Justin slipped out of bed early.  Tony would be picking him up around 7:00 so he needed to get moving.  He quietly started the shower. After wetting his hair he reached for the shampoo but his hand encountered Brian’s, “Let me help with that.”  They were silent as Brian helped Justin wash his hair and then his back. Next he soaped his chest and he worked his way down and before he was done washing him, Justin had an erection and a need for release.  Brian sat on the shower bench and took Justin into his mouth and soon Justin arched and sent cum into Brian’s throat.  Justin bent and kissed Brian, tasting himself on his lips.  

Thirty minutes later they stood on the veranda kissing when Tony arrived.  “I really hope you didn’t stay in that same spot the whole weekend.”  Justin and Brian separated and Justin picked up his bag.  “You didn’t change your mind and decide to go to Seattle with Justin?” Without a response Brian turned and went back in the house.  Tony looked at Justin. “I suppose I shouldn’t have said that.”

“You probably shouldn’t have but I’m glad you did.”

 

Chapter 7 by Simply written

Chapter 7


Brennon’s cock ached when he woke up.  He was so hard.  He wondered where Jed was as he went to the bathroom to relieve the strain.  It only took a couple strokes and he bit his lip so he didn’t yell out as he shot cum into the toilet and then flushed and went downstairs in the shorts he had slept in.  He found his mom setting a plate of eggs in front of Jed.

“Good morning, darling,” Brinn said as Brennon walked over and kissed his mom. “Hey, any news on your dad, Jed?”

Brinn shot him a glance knowing the news couldn’t be good. “I talked to Jed’s mom and he rested comfortably through the night.”  Brennon heard the words his mom said but her look said something else. This was really serious. “Just before you came down I was telling Jed I have an emergency meeting this morning but Dad said he would take you anywhere you needed to go.  He said anytime after 10:00 would be fine.”

“Ok, Mom.  I’ll clean up when we’re done eating. You go on to your meeting.”

“Thank’s, Bren.” She kissed his cheek and then walked around and kissed Jed’s.  “Sorry, I’m short a son right now so I guess you have to put up with my kisses,” and with that, Brinn was gone.

“Your mom isn’t anything like my folks said she would be.  They were sure she would have maids and gardeners and all that kind of stuff.”

“Well we do have a cleaning lady that comes a couple times a week.  She spends two days with us, two days and Aunt Shelby and Uncle Gus’, and one day at my grandpas’.  And of course, George keeps our fridges and freezers stocked but a lot of that is because Mom works a lot.  I mean she still works with Uncle Matty once in a while and she is still on the board of the medical research company.  Now she and dad manage the vineyard, too.”

“Wow, they really do work hard when they probably wouldn’t have to do much.”  Jed stared out the window and Bren threw an arm over his shoulders. 

“Did you talk to your mom this morning?”

“Ya, but I know she didn’t tell me the truth.  I have a feeling Dad is really bad.  Brennon, if Dad...if he doesn’t make it, I don’t know what my mom will do.  She can’t afford anything on her salary and, well she will need to focus on my sisters.  I might have to quit school or go live with…”

Brennon wrapped his arms around his friend.  “Jed, don’t jump to conclusions.  What time do you want to go into town so I can tell Grandpa what time to pick us up and we can move back in with him after we get back.  I like this place but I think it would be good for us to be over there.”

“Ya, I mean, I know there are adults all over the place here but I think I would like to be there.”

Brennon pulled out his phone and called Brian.


Justin arrived at the gallery at noon.  He got right to work on the murel.  He lost himself and the next thing he knew a young intern he had not met before said, “Excuse me, Mr. Taylor, but it is almost 9:00 and security wants to lock up.”

“Oh, shit, I lost track of time.  Oh, and Justin please.  Mr. Taylor was my dad and we never got along.” He tried to stand and groaned. The intern offered his hand and Justin graciously took it. “Thank you.  I sometimes forget I am almost 70 and nearly lost my leg in the outback years ago.”

“Wow, I would have never guessed.”

“Don’t lie to me, young man. Are you my driver tonight?”

“I am, sir.”

“Well, do you have time for dinner? I don’t have anything in my house and I hate to eat alone at a restaurant.  Please, let me treat you for making you stay late.”

“Oh, Mr….Justin. I would enjoy that.”

“Give me five minutes to wash some paint off my hands and would you mind grabbing my bag?” he pointed to the weekender sitting in the corner as he walked down the hall.

Ten minutes later they were sitting in a car and the intern pulled away from the curb.  “I just realized I don’t even know your name.”

“My name is Kevin Gustofson but my friends just call me Gus.”

Justin smiled, “That is the name of one of my favorite people in the world.”

“Your husband’s name is Brian, isn’t it?”

“Yes, it is but my son’s name is Gus.”

“Oh, I didn’t know that.”

“Well, he is obviously all grown up.  He in fact is a grandfather himself.”

“You aren’t old enough to be a great grandfather.”

“That’s nice of you to say but it is a lie. By the way, where are we going?”

“Oh, I hope you don’t mind.  My best friend’s dad has a little hole in the wall diner and they have the best food.  I should have asked. You probably are not a diner kind of guy.”

Justin reached over and patted his Gus’ arm, “Would you believe while I was in college I worked at a diner part-time. You nailed your choice. Please tell me they have a daily special.”

“They do and I told him to save us a couple of them in case you wanted it.  Today it is chicken fried chicken with real mashed potatoes and all of it is covered in gravy. I know that sounds really heavy this time of night but you didn’t stop  all day and he does make it more healthy then you would expect.”

“One question, does he have lemon squares? Please tell me there are lemon squares.”

“I told him to keep a half dozen for you, or whatever he has left.”

“Oh, Kevin, I am glad we met.  So why aren’t you rushing home to a special someone tonight?”

“Well, my boyfriend is out of the country on a school trip so I have been working nights to help with the empty apartment.”  Kevin pulled into a parking lot.. When he left we actually decided it was a free summer.  If we met someone, we both had a free pass and if we find someone we like more….”

Kevin rushed around the side of the car to open the door but Justin had already stepped out.  He looped his arms around Kevin’s and said, “And you think he has found someone else?”

“I do.  I’m sorry, you don’t want to hear…”

Justin started laughing. “I’m the one everyone always talks to.”

“Guster! It’s been too long! A middle aged man came up and hugged Justin’s young companion. And this is the famous Justin Taylor,” he offered his hand to Justin, “I’m Joe. Welcome.  Take any empty table or sit by the counter.

“The counter sounds great to me.  I used to work at a place very similar to this in Pittsburgh 50 years ago. It was my first job.” As Joe had his cook put the plates together, Justin told them about him stealing Brian’s credit card and him working to pay it back. “I ended up paying him back in, lets say, many other ways.” 

“You should bring your husband in.”

“I promise if he comes up for the grand opening, we will come here to eat.  Do you take reservations?”

“For you, Justin, of course.”

By the time they walked out of the car, Justin was exhausted but he felt more content than he had in weeks. “Kevin, want to come up for a nightcap.  I have some amazing bottles of wine.  If you would rather not have a drink, at least let me give you a couple bottles of my favorites.”

“I really do need to go home and”

“Kevin, I’m not making a pass at you, honestly.  I am too tired to even think about that but more than that, I love my husband.  In our day we may have messed around a bit but we don’t play games anymore.”

“Well, maybe one glass. This house looks amazing.  How did you score this place?”

“My son, Gus, designed and built it.  The owner was out of the country and he set it up for me to stay here.”   

After a couple glasses of wine, Kevin said goodnight with a bottle of wine in each hand.  Justin got in bed and slept soundly until his alarm went off.


Every morning about 10:30, Brian drove Brennon and Jed to the hospital.  He had even pulled some strings and with the help of Elliott, a specialist made a special trip to review Jed’s dad’s condition.  By the end of the week when they arrived, the three knew instantly something was different. “Jed, why don’t you stay here while I talk to the nurse.”

“Brian, I think I need to go be with….”

“Son, just stay here with Brennon.  I promise I will come get you in a few minutes.” Brian made eye contact with Brennon who nodded and draped an arm around Jed’s shoulders.

“Brennon, I’m scared.  You don’t think he….what if he dies?”

Brennon guided him to a chair and sat with him.  Over the last couple weeks he had learned a lot about Jed’s home.  Jed knew he was loved but his parents had both come from a really bad family life and they just didn’t have the skills and without his dad…..Brennon was sure Jed was already trying to figure out how he was going to help. Brian walked over and he had the Elliott with him. They were the only four people in this small waiting room and they pulled up chairs facing the boys.  Jed squeezed Brennon’s hand so hard Brennon was afraid he might break a bone.  He put his other hand over top and Jed loosened his grip a bit.

“Jed,” Brian started, “you met Dr. James the other day. Elliott wanted to talk to you.”

“It’s nice to see you, Jed. I just wish it was under different circumstances. Last night your dad took a turn for the worse.  Your mom was here and, I’m sorry, Jed, but you dad passed away.”

“No….” Jed said softly as Bren tried to wrap his arms around his friend.  Jed pushed him away and got up. “I need to see him.  I need to see my mom and my sisters.  Where is he?”

“Son,” Brian walked up to him and put a hand on each shoulder.  “Your dad isn’t here anymore.  I talked to your aunt and she told me where they took your dad.  I will bring you there.”  Brian put his arms around Jed and Jed held on tightly for a long time.  

“Bren,” Brian said softly, “Let your mom know.”


After a stop at the funeral home, they stopped by Jed’s house but although Jed had his key, he could tell things were missing in the house.  Family pictures were gone and he looked in his sisters’ room to find most of their toys were gone.  “Brian, do you think they could be at my aunt’s house.  Maybe mom couldn’t come back here.”

“You get a few of the things you need and I will give her a call.” 

Brennon followed his grandpa out of the house. “Gramps, what’s going on?”

“Jed’s aunt said his mom picked up the girls in the middle of the might, after he had died, and she left.”

“What do you mean she left? She just deserted him?”

“I hate to say it but I think so. I will have Dan,” he paused and then continued, “Tyler start looking for her but let’s wait to tell him until we get home.”

“Grandpa, are you alright? I mean, with Dan….”

“Oh, Bren, your heart is so big.  I am fine.” They heard the door behind them open and they turned to see Jed locking the door before he walked over to join them.


Brinn was waiting at Brian’s house by the time they arrived and went into mother mode.  Everyone in the family already loved Jed so after she had hugged Jed and talked and assured him he would stay right here as long as he needed to.  She suggested the boys bring Jed’s things in and then get some lunch and Bren led Jed into the house. 

Once they were out of earshot, Brinn looked at Brian, “So his mother just deserted him?  How could a mother do that?  Where would she go? Do you think this aunt is telling the truth? That poor…”

“Sweetheart, take a breath. I think she is scared and just doesn’t know what she just did.  It is my guess they don’t have insurance so how is she going to pay for the hospital or the funeral.” Brinn opened her mouth but Brian raised a hand.  “You know I have already taken care of that. I am just worried about the boy.  When officials find out she deserted the boy, they will probably take him.”

“Well, good thing we know a good lawyer.  I know some of those guys but that is Matty’s specialty.  I will call him.  You Ok with keeping them here for now?”

“Sure.  He is comfortable here, or as comfortable as possible.  I will let him know we aren’t sure where his mom and sisters are but I will downplay it for now.”

Brinn hugged her dad, “I just can’t imagine...I was so fortunate. Thank you for being such a good dad.” She kissed him.  “I love you.  I’ll call you after talking to Matty.”

Brian walked in the house and found Brennon setting a sandwich down in front of Jed and then opened a bag of chips. “Hey, Gramps, do you want me to fix you a sandwich?”

“No, I think I can make a sandwich but,” he grabbed a couple chips, “I will take a couple of these.  I will be in the office for a bit but if you need me feel free to knock.”

“Mr. Kinney?” Jed turned and touched Brian’s arm.  “She ran away, didn’t she? At least she took my sisters.  They wouldn’t understand.”

“Understand what, Jed?”

“They wouldn’t understand that Mom just can’t deal with a lot and ….” Brian hugged him.

“Jed, we are going to try to find her.  I promise we will do our best.”

“Mr. Kinney, tell her I will be fine.  I have been in the system before.  I can do it again.”

“Oh, Jed, we are working on that, too.  Just know you are welcome with us.”

Brian passed Jed over to Brennon who gladly took him in his arms, kissed Jed’s forehead.  “I’ll let you know if we need you, otherwise, we will be in my room after we eat.”

“I’m not very hungry anymore.” 

“Let’s just wrap these up and put them in the fridge and we can eat them later.” Jed started to apologize but Brennon leaned close and kissed him lightly, “Just nod and don’t argue.” Bren popped the sandwiches into a container and put them in the refrigerator and then took Jed’s hand and led the way to his room.  Without saying anything he put a movie on and made Jed lay down and he laid next to him, pulling him close.  “You don’t seem too surprised your mom isn’t around.”  Brennon rubbed Jed’s back.

“When I was younger my dad had to do 90 days in jail. I don’t even remember why, but my mom couldn’t deal.  It was just me then and I ended up in foster care.  The whole time Dad was locked up, Mom was finding a new life for us. But then Dad was coming back.  He’s not coming back this time, is he, Bren?”

“No, Jed, he’s not coming back this time.”  Jed looked into Brennon’s eyes and Brennon kissed him.  His hand moved down Jed’s back and settled just at the base of his spine and held him close. Jed placed a hand on Brennon’s ass and squeezed it through his thin shorts. Jed began to take control of the situation. He moved his hand and slipped it into the shorts.  

Brennon felt himself get hard as Jed’s hand touched his bare ass cheek. “Jed, I don’t think this is the right time to….” Brennon’s mouth was again occupied by a kiss.

“Distract me, Bren.  I need something to distract me.”

“I think I know…” Brennon moved down his body and tugged his shorts down.  He reached into Jed’s briefs and pulled out Jed’s cock and before either of them could think, Brennon began to lick it.


Brian talked to Tyler and then sat at his desk.  Tyler was sure he could find her and he would be in touch and then Brian looked at the clock.  He wanted to talk to Justin.  He needed to talk to him but he was still at work. He decided he didn’t care and called him.

Justin knew from the ring it was Brian.  His hands were full of paint but he tried to wipe it off and got the phone just at the last second. “Hey, Bri, is something wrong? You don’t usually call during the day.”

“I’m sorry.  I should have…”

“Baby, what is it?”

“Oh, Sunshine, it’s Jed.  His dad died last night and his mom disappeared with his sisters. He is trying to be brave and Bren is trying to be the best friend but his heart is melting for his friend.  You would know what to say.  You’d know what to do.”

“Oh,” Justin sighed, “I feel so bad for them but you know what to do.  You always doubt yourself but you know what to do.”

“Sunshine, I miss you.  I just wanted to remind you how much I love you.”

“Oh, Brian, I love you, too. I am going to be home by 7:00 tonight.  Call me or I’ll call you.  I want to talk to you.”

“I’ll call you,” and the line went dead. Brian took a deep breath and called Brinn to see what she found out from Matty.

As Brian walked past Brennon’s room, he recognized the sound.  He had no doubt Jed had just cum.  He really prayed it wasn’t inside of his grandson.  It wasn’t the right time for their first time. He wanted it to be special for him the first time.

Brennon moved up Jed’s long, thin body and saw a look of embarrassment on his face. “Oh, Jed, did I do something wrong? I’m sorry.  I just wanted to make you feel better and….I’m sorry.”

“No, Bren, that was …..that was really good but you just ate my spunk?  I mean you took my dick in your mouth and…”

“Jed, I’m gay.  That is just the first of many penises I hope to get to suck on because I really liked it.”

“I don’t know if I can do that.”

“I didn’t do it so you would do it to me.  I did it because I wanted to and I hoped it might make you feel a little better.  At least maybe for a few seconds I distracted you.”

Jed smiled, “That you did and, I really liked it.” 


Over the weekend, social services allowed Jed to stay with Brian but Matty was working frantically to find an answer to keeping Jed out of the Youth Center but there weren’t many people who would take on a 16 year old boy.  

Sunday Brinn was sitting with Matty going over foster parents. “Holy shit!  How could I have forgotten!” Brinn yelled.  She ripped out her phone and called Danny.  

“Hey Brinn, how is it going?”

“I hope it will be going better soon.  How is Marcus doing?”

“He is doing amazingly well.  Whatever he did in Washington, really helped him. Why, Brinn?”

“I am sure you know about Brennon’s friend from Elliott.”

“Ya, it is so sad.  What does that have to do with….. Oh…”

“Marcus still holds a foster parent license, right?”

“Yes!  He and Dad thought about letting it go but because of Hannah and what we went through with Emma, they decided to keep it.  They took the classes just before Dad got really sick.”

“Do you think he is up to it?”

“I think it might be just what he needs. Do you want me to go talk to him?”

“I’ll meet you over there whenever you tell me.”  Brinn was excited now.

“I’ll talk to him and let you know what time to be there.”

An hour later Brinn pulled up to Marcus and Dan’s house.  Brinn realized she hadn't been back since Dan died.  She felt a wave of grief move over her.  As she walked up the steps Danny opened the door. He gave her a hug.  “You’re thinking about all the time we spent here, aren’t you?”

“I am.  Marcus, thanks for seeing me. Danny, have you told him anything?”

“I just got here myself. You go ahead.”

“Marcus, I am sure you know Brennon’s friend has been staying with us.”

“Yes, I heard about the young man’s situation.  Any luck finding his mom?”

“They actually have located her but she is mentally in no state to take Jed back and he really doesn’t want to right now because he knows she would be too stressed plus he is gay and he hasn’t told her yet.”

“Wow, the poor kid.  He has to be torn to pieces.”

“Marcus,” Danny took over, “the court is going to take him to the Youth Center if we can’t find a foster home for him.  I know what that place is like, I just can’t let that happen to him but, even though Elliott and I are foster parents we don’t have a license for teens and you do.”

“Marcus, he is a sweet boy and we will have him at our place as much as you want us to.  In fact, Brennon has become very fond of him.” Marcus sat silently for a bit.  Brinn started to say, “Marcus, we understand…”

“Danny, can he use your old room?”

Danny hugged Marcus, “Of course he can.”

Then it was Brinn’s turn to hug him.   “We have no idea how long this might be.  If we find out it will be long term they would probably be able to figure out something else.”

“Brinn, he needs someone and I have this big house.  Just let me know when to be at social services to sign the paperwork and then we can bring him over here.  Brennon can stay overnight tomorrow if he needs a friend.”

“I’m going to go tell him right now!” Brinn kissed him once more and then hugged Danny before rushing out the door.

By the time Brennon and Jed lay in bed together that night, Jed softly said, “So, what can you tell me about Marcus?  I am sure he is a good guy if he is your dad’s friend.”

“Marcus is a great guy.  When Marcus met Danny, he would have left Dan for the sake of Danny.  He was just a little younger than you when he moved in.  I think it will be a really good place for you and we will only be about a mile apart and we can use the four wheelers back and forth.  I can be there in ten minutes if you need me.”

“Brennon, I’m not ready for sex but do you think we could take our clothes off and…”

Brennon was already pulling his T-shirt off and then slipped out of his shorts and briefs. Jed did the same thing and then the two boys began the exploration. “If I rub that spot does it drive you absolutely nuts?” Brennon asked.  

“Have you ever tried this?”  Jed  demonstrated and then reached out to Brennon’s body. 

It wasn’t long before both boys were at their point of no return.  Together they stroked each other until they both climaxed.  

“That was much better than when I do it myself,” Brennon smiled as he kissed him.

They laid together for a few minutes before Jed spoke.  His tone was serious. “Bren, do you think Mr. Reed will like me? Or is it Reeves?”

“I am guessing it is Marcus and you will be fine.  I can stay with you the first couple nights if you want me to. He won’t care.”

“Would you really do that?  I mean what about your grandpa. Aren’t you supposed to….”

“Gramps is fine.  I wish he would go to Seattle.”

“Maybe he will.” Jed and Brennon talked softly until they fell asleep.


Brian called Justin later than usual. “Hey Brian,” he answered, half asleep.

“Sorry, Sunshine.  I dozed off but I needed to talk to you.”

“What is it? Did something happen? Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.  It was just a stressful day thinking about Jed until Danny and Brinn sorted it out.”

“Danny and Brinn?”

“Ya, Marcus is taking him in.  He still has his foster parent license.”

“Oh, Brian, That is perfect! Why didn’t I think of that? That will be so good for both of them.” Justin was wide awake now. “How is Brennon? What is going on between those two by now.”

“They have definitely done a little exploring but I think they are both interested in learning but taking it slow.”

“I’m glad. I don’t think Jed should be rushing into anything right now. “

“I agree.  I think they are much smarter than I was.  Brennon will probably stay with Jed a couple nights to help with the adjustment.”

“So, you will be alone?” Justin left the question hang in the air.

“I miss you, Sunshine.  How much longer will it be?”

“Two weeks.  I will be home in about 12 days actually.”

“Sunshine, promise me you won’t go away that long again.”

“Darling, when I signed it I thought...Never mind.  I need to get to sleep.  I have a breakfast meeting. We’re going to go over the final arrangements for the opening night.”

“I love you, Sunshine. Good night.”  Brian ended the call. He turned off the light and pulling Justin’s pillow close against him, he tried to sleep.


Brinn called Brian in the morning letting him know that Jed didn’t need to come to the hearing for his placement unless he wanted to.  Marcus would go in at 3:00 to sign some papers and then he would pick the boys up when it was done.

“Grandpa, so we have any more cookies?”

“I don’t think so.  You guys polished them off last night. I can call George and see if he is coming this way today?”

“Could we bake some?” Jed asked.  “I used to bake cookies with my sisters.”

“That sounds like a great idea,” Brennon said as he started pulling ingredients out of the pantry.  They pulled out their phones and looked for a recipe.  Then they looked at the possible ingredients.  “It looks like we have the ingredients for chocolate chip cookies or oatmeal raisin.”

“Could we make oatmeal chocolate chip?”  Jed asked.  “If we leave the cinnamon out of the recipe and replace the raisins with the chips…”

“Let’s go for it.  It sounds good.”

Brian sat by the counter and watched the boys put the ingredients together and then after chilling the dough, they put in the first tray of cookies.  While those baked they filled a second tray.  When the first tray had cooled enough they removed the cookies and filled the tray again. Brian reached across the counter and snatched a cookie off the rack. Brian broke one in half and took a bite. “Hey these are good.”

“Don’t sound so surprised.  They were made with love,” Brennon said.

“I used to tell my sisters that.  We spent a lot of time alone in the evenings so I would bake cookies with them and I told them we baked them with love and now I don’t even know where they are.” Brennan slipped an arm around him. “Mr. Kinney, can I ask you something?”

“Sure, Jed.  I’ve heard you jack off with my grandson.  I think we are good here.”

Jed flushed but went on, “If you love your husband as much as I think you do, why are you here and not with him?  If I could be with my family…” the timer went off just in time to silence the question.

Brian sat there and took a bite of the cookie in his hand and he wondered, why AM I sitting here? Brian walked away with half the cookie still in his hand and he went directly to the office. Brian was busy all day. He told the boys to pack up the cookies and take them along to Marcus.  It was about 3:00 when Brennon knocked  on Brian’s bedroom door, “Gramps, you Ok?” he said as he stuck his head in the door. “What are you doing?”

Brian had a suitcase open on the bed and he had it partially filled. “I’m leaving as soon as Marcus picks you up. When Jed is settled, you will return to your place.  I will be gone until your grandfather is done with his job.”

 Brennon walked over and hugged Brian. “It’s about time, Gramps.  You belong together.  What finally convinced you?”

“It was what Jed said.  I can be with him.  I was keeping us apart, so I called John and he and Tony will be here at 4:00.”

“I’m so glad! How excited was Grandpa.”

“I didn’t tell him and please don’t!  I want it to be a surprise. I talked to the gallery and they are going to keep him there late and then an intern is going to take him to dinner and I will surprise him there.”

“I know I don’t have to tell you this but give him a kiss for me.”  Brennon hugged Brian and kissed him.  “I’m going to go and help Jed finish packing up.”


At 3:50, Brian heard a car, no two.  “Hey guys, it’s time.”

Brian stepped out and greeted Brinn and then nodded at Marcus who stepped out of the second car. “I called to the boys.  They should be right out.”

“I’ll put these in the…” Marcus said but Brian ripped it out of his hand. 

“That is mine!” he tried to lower his voice, “The boys are bringing his stuff.” Marcus saw the boys  and took a bag out of one of Brennon’s hands and brought it to the car having the two boys follow him.  When they got their Marcus turned and offered his hand to Jed.

“Hey, I’m Marcus and you must be Jed.” Jed nodded and shook his hand.   Brennon, your mom says you are going to help him get settled in for a couple days.”

“Does that work for you?”

“That is fine with me. It will be good to have some energy in the house.” Marcus said as he patted Jed’s shoulder.  “Hey, Brinn, I will take these two to the house.  See you there in a little bit?”

“Yes, Jed, I need you to sign a couple things as soon as I talk to dad a minute.”

Once they were gone, Brinn turned and faced Brian.  “Dad, really? Marcus is taking on a teenager because I asked him and you can’t even be polite and a suitcase? What are you doing with a ….” Brinn heard a car pulling up. She was surprised to see John and Tony but then a light went on, “You’re going to Seattle?”

Brian nodded, “John and Tony are flying me there tonight and will fly back tomorrow.”

“Oh, Dad, I am so glad. I guess I will forgive you for your attitude right now.” Brinn turned to see John coming over.

“Miss Thing, It has been a while.”

“It’s been a while since you’ve called me Miss Thing.” John picked her up and twirled her around once. “We need to get together soon but right now I need to get your dad to the plane.  We have a window to get out before a storm moves in.”

“I won’t stop you.  Get him there safe.” Brinn turned back to Brian and hugged him.  “Love you, Dad.” Brinn waved at them as they drove away and then got in her own vehicle and drove away.

Five minutes later, Brinn pulled up to Marcus’ house.  She walked in and hugged Marcus.  She could hear the boys down the hall making a ruckus already. ”I hope you are ready for them. If you get tired of my son, call me.”

Marcus looked down the hall toward the bedroom the boys were in, “I think it is time to get some life back in this house. That doesn’t mean I might not want to pull out my graying hair once in a while.  He sounds like such a good kid who just got hit by a very hard situation.”

“He really is a good kid, and remember, you make the rules about what they can and can’t do and where that can be done.  They are 16 year old boys who are still exploring.  I’m sure they haven’t had sex yet but I am also sure they are working up to it.  And if you need an evening or overnight, Jed is always welcome.”

“Thanks, Brinn.  I have to admit, I think I might need this.”

“I am glad.” Brinn moved a couple steps closer to the hall, “Guys, can you come down here? I need a couple signatures, Jed.”

Soon Brinn was leaving with the signed papers in her briefcase, and the boys were moving back to the room to get Jed settled in.   Marcus walked down there and found Brennon pressing Jed against the wall. “Um, excuse me, guys. I was just wondering what you would like for dinner.”

“Marcus, we are teenage boys, we eat anything and a lot of ir.”

“Lasagna?”

In unison the boys said, “Yes!”

“Great, I have one of George’s in the refrigerator.  And guys, we will talk about the rules during dinner., too. Maybe guidelines is a better word than rules. We all need to just know what the other is comfortable with.”

Marcus disappeared from the doorway and Jed looked nervously at Brennon.  “Are we in trouble? Maybe we better cool it a little.”

Brennon gave Jed a little side hug.  “We’re fine.  He just signed a bunch of papers putting him in charge of your life.  He just wants to let you know what he expects.  I have known Marcus all my life and he is a good guy. My mom and Danny are best friends and have been since he was our age.  Do you trust me?”

“Of course I do.  You are my best friend, maybe more than my best friend,” Jed looked directly in his eyes.  

Brennon couldn’t help himself.  He leaned in and kissed Jed again.  “Let’s get your stuff put away and then check out what games he has here.”


Kevin was asked to help with a surprise but how did he keep Justin Taylor here for an extra hour.  He had avoided him the last hour but he now saw him cleaning up his brushes.  Kevin had told himself he wouldn’t do this but now he felt like it was the only way to keep him here.

“There you are.  You have had a busy day,” Justin walked over to Kevin.  “Are we about ready to leave for the day?”

“I…” Kevin stumbled on his words, “I wasn’t going to even ask you to do this but I brought some of my artwork in today for review, part of my internship requirements.  I would love to show you a little of it.”

Justin could see the nervousness in his young friend and remembered those days.  “I would love to,” he smiled and followed Kevin.

Justin had followed him to the back a little hesitantly.  He really just wanted to go home and eat some left over Chinese and sip some good bourbon while talking to Brian.  All day he couldn’t get Brian out of his mind and he hoped that wasn’t some sort of omen.   But once he saw the young man’s work, he was glad he had agreed.  It was fresh and unique.  It reminded him of himself. He could see Kevin’s skills shining through.  “Kevin this is amazing.  If you ever want to pick my brain or just talk about art, call me. I would love to spend some time working with you.”

“Are you serious? Oh, that would be a dream for me.”

“My family and I live on a vineyard.  We have all kinds of room and a couple different studios.  I know you have your internship here but if you can ever work it out, I would love to play with some sculptures with you.  I am getting a little old to do some of the things I used to so I would love someone with your talent to help out and I would be very willing to write a reference when the time comes.”

“Oh, Justin, are you serious? The reason I had my work here today was because what I had planned for the fall fell through.  I was at the top of the waiting list for grad school but yesterday I was notified everyone had verified they would be attending in the fall so I would not get to go in the fall.   I’m sorry, that’s not your worry.”

“Oh, I’m not worried.  I’m excited.  You would have a private residence.  I am not sure which one yet but we have a couple options. I’ve been wanting to take over the old wine barn and now I have a reason to make it into a large studio.  I can only imagine the projects we can make there.  You don’t have to answer me now. I know there is…”

“There is no one that will stop me from taking you up on this offer. Do you need to talk to your husband or anything?”

“No, we will talk about it tomorrow.” Justin dug out his wallet and handed him his personal business card.  “I am totally serious about this.  And I don’t mean to rush because I love your work but I really need to go home and relax.”

Kevin glanced at his phone, “Sure, I’m sorry.  I should have realized…...And now I have to ask one more favor.  We don’t have to stay more than a couple minutes but that was Joe.  He asked me to stop at the diner.”  Kevin watched Justin tense up but he had to get him to the diner.

Justin’s displeasure was evident in his tone but he didn’t want to sound like a diva. “Just make it quick, please.”


Brian arrived at the diner in his rented car.  He could hardly wait to see Justin.  Maybe it was because he was so old but waiting now was like waiting as a child.  He wanted his husband and he wanted him NOW. Brian walked into the diner and was instantly transferred back to Pittsburgh and Liberty Diner.  He could see why Justin was enchanted. “Joe?” he greeted the man heading his way.

“Mr. Kinney, I’m glad I could help with your surprise.”

“This place just made me homesick.  I love it. Any idea when Justin will arrive?”

“I just let him know you had arrived and they are about fifteen minutes away.  I make a great cup of coffee or are you hungry? I can make….”

“I’ll take a cup of coffee and how about making us a couple meals to go.  Sandwiches would be great.  Maybe a couple turkey on rye?”

Joe smiled, “I’ll have them well wrapped so they will stay fresh in case they are a midnight snack.”

“I’m an old man.  I’ll be lucky to make 10:00.”

“I have seen your husband.  I bet you make it until midnight,” Joe winked at him just as his phone sounded. “About five minutes away.  You don’t have to worry, as adorable as he is, he isn’t my type. I’ve been married to my beautiful wife for almost 30 years.”

“We have been together for 50. We’ve been married 40.”  


“Please make this a quick stop.  I’ll just wait in the….”

“Justin, Joe asked specifically for you to come in.  He has something to show you,” Kevin knew Justin wasn’t happy. “Please, Mr. Taylor, I know it is an inconvenience.”

“Alright,” Justin sighed and as Kevin parked he got out of the car.

In the diner, Brian sat in the last booth with his back to the door.

Kevin walked in ahead of Justin partially blocking his view.  “Hey Justin, thank you for stopping by with Gus.  There was just something that couldn’t wait.”  As Joe finished his sentence he stepped to the side and Justin felt a draw to look around them now and then he saw the back of a head he would know anywhere.

“Brian,” he whispered. “Is that really you?” For a minute Justin thought he was wrong.  Brian was at the vineyard, wasn’t he?

Justin held his breath as Brian slid out of the booth and slowly turned around.

“Hey, Sunshine.  I hope you don’t mind a roommate for the rest of your time in Seattle.”  Justin rushed across the diner until he felt Brian’s arms wrapped around him.  “I love you, Justin.  I’m sorry it took me so long to get here.”




Chapter 8 by Simply written

Chapter 8


Justin couldn’t believe it.  Brian was standing in the diner. He was here in Seattle. He came. Justin felt like the day Brian surprised him in New York more than 45 years ago.  He came to him. He heard Brian apologize but he didn’t care about anything except that he was there!  As their lips met, they both felt their hearts sync into rhythm.  “I love you, Brian.  I love you so much.”

Kevin and Joe walked into the kitchen giving them a little bit of privacy while Justin and Brian just stood there kissing and touching each other’s arms and face, anywhere there was bare skin.  “Let’s go home. Please, I need to go home with you.”

“I have a car.  Let’s go.”

Justin saw Kevin and Joe off to the side.  He rushed over and gave them each a hug.  Brian shook their hands and accepted the bag of food from Joe. “Thank you, both, for your help,” and with that Justin pulled Brian out of the diner.

Kevin looked at Joe, “That’s what I want someday.”

Joe put his arm around him, “Gus, you’ll find him.  Just don’t settle for good enough.”  Joe’s wife walked in the diner.  His wife was still a very handsome woman but she was no longer the waif of a woman she was when they married.  She had the shape of a woman who had given birth to children and worked hard for her family.  Joe loved her so much more today than he did the day they married.  “Look for one that is perfect for you on the inside and they will always be perfect on the outside.  Hello, gorgeous,” Joe said as he took his wife in his arms and kissed her like he hadn’t seen her in weeks.  “I’ve missed you today.” 

Kevin and his wife greeted each other and he excused himself, saying it had been a long day.  As he walked away he listened to Joe ask his love if she had a good day.  Yes, Kevin thought, I want a relationship like both of those couples.


Justin had gotten behind the wheel since he knew where to go.  As they drove the short distance, Justin talked as Brian had his hand on Justin’s shoulder, “I couldn’t get you out of my mind.  I mean I always think about you but today it was a gnawing.  I just was unsettled.  I was afraid you were sick or something had gone wrong with the Jed situation.  I wouldn’t let myself think it was something like this.  I was going to go home and call you.  I almost got upset with Kevin because I needed to talk to you.  I needed to touch you somehow.” He reached up and took Brian’s hand.  “I wasn’t sure I would make two more weeks without you.”  Justin pulled up in front of his home and parked the car, locking it once they were out of it. Justin wrapped his arms around Brian’s neck and kissed him again and this time he pressed him tightly against the door. “I need you, Brian, I have alway needed you but right now I really want you inside me.”

Justin placed his hand on Brian’s crotch and Brian shivered, “I need you too, Sunshine.  I….” he took a deep breath as Justin’s hand moved into the fly of Brian’s pants, “god, open this door before this old man has to take you over the railing,” he pushed Justin gently away.

“Oh please, yes!” Justin began to unzip Brian’s pants.

“Oh, what the hell,” Brian unzipped Justin’s jeans and turned him around.  Justin cried out as Brian entered him quickly. They found a rhythm and Brian, over and over, thrust Justin against the wood rail. Justin found relief before Brian and as Brian climaxed, Justin was sure he would be bruised across his abdomen but it was so worth it. 

Justin turned into his arms and kissed him slowly and gently. “God, I have missed you.  Let’s go inside and have a glass of wine and we will …. I hope we will just….” Justin kissed him  deeply.  “I guess we better go in before we are arrested.”

Justin poured them each a glass of wine and took out the food containers from the diner as  Brian put his bags into the bedroom.  He moved behind Justin and wrapped his arms around him, “Our grandson is falling in love.  They aren’t rushing, which is good.  Jed has gone through so much in the last few weeks.”

“How was Marcus dealing with having Jed moving in?”  Justin could see by Brian’s look he had no idea. “Bri, when are you going to let him off the hook for dealing with death differently than you do?”

“Please, not tonight.”

Justin didn’t push him.  He kissed Brian and handed him a glass of wine.  “Sit. These sandwiches look great and I want you to have energy.”

Brian sat down and took Justin’s hand and kissed it, “I was told you were very tired tonight. Maybe we should just go to bed when we are done eating.”

“That is exactly what I have planned,” Justin said, as they started eating their dinner. Joe had thrown in some lemon bars as well as turkey sandwiches and some homemade chips.

“You know what these remind me of?” Brian said as he bit into a lemon bar.

“Of course I do.  I wonder how many of these Debbie made?”

“I wonder how many of them I ate?”

“You were always being careful what you ate. That’s why you had the perfect body and I...I was always … Your body was always perfect,  It still is.”

“Bless you, my child,” Brian said as he kissed Justin’s hand.  “I know it is early but I am very tired.”

“If it means we can lay next to each other… I have missed sleeping with you.  I miss feeling your body next to me,” Justin said as he got up.   Brian stood up and quickly wrapped the bars up and then followed Justin into the bedroom.  He wasn’t sure how he had done it that fast but Justin stood naked in front of him and Brian couldn’t do anything but pull off his own shirt and pull Justin against him, skin to skin.

They both lost track of how long they stood there.  Their hands roamed each other’s backs, feeling the familiar plains and scars. Their lips and tongues reacquainted themselves. Eventually they separated long enough to finish getting ready for bed and then they again met up under the sheets.  They made love once more and then they laid in each other’s arms. At one point when they were half asleep, Justin softly said, “You’re really here.  You came for me.”

“No, Sunshine, I came for me.  What if something happened to one of us and because I was an idiot, we weren’t together.”  He was silent for a moment and then said, “You and Marcus, you didn’t…. Here in this bed…”

“Bri, Marc and I slept together a couple times but we didn’t have sex. We did shower together once but other than hands…”

“Sunshine, that’s enough.  I just needed to hear you say it. You are always honest with me.  I love you.” After one more kiss he said, “I need to sleep now.  I am just tired.”

Justin heard Brian’s breathing change as they spooned in the massive bed.  As his eyes fluttered shut he said softly, “You came.  You’re really here.”  In his sleep Brian tightened his arm around him  and they slept.


Brennon woke up on the floor of Jed’s room.  Marcus had brought in a blowup mattress for him to use.  At dinner the night before they all had agreed now was not the time for Jed to start a serious relationship.  He didn’t use the word sex but they all knew that was what he meant.  They agreed that if they got to that point it shouldn’t be in his house because of the Foster Parent rules but he trusted them to talk to Brinn or even Danny and Elliott.  Jed and Brennon agreed.  They both could feel Marcus was working with them, not against them.  Brennon got up and used the bathroom and then came back and slipped into bed with Jed.  He kissed him and then let his hand rest on Jed’s ass. Jed’s cock responded to his touch immediately.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to…” Brennon said as he kissed him once more.

They kissed a few more times before Jed said, “I gotta go…” he climbed over Brennon and rushed to the bathroom.

“Jed, I’m going to go see what’s for breakfast.  I’ll see you in the kitchen.” Brennon pulled on some shorts and left the room.  When he got to the kitchen he found Marcus sitting there drinking a cup of coffee.

“Good morning, Brennon. Did you sleep well on the mattress.  You know we...I have more bedrooms.”

“It slept fine, and yes, I did sleep on it all night.” Brennon walked over and made a cup of coffee for himself adding lots of flavored creamer.  “Marcus, thank you for doing all this.  I didn’t want him to have to go into the Youth Center.  He’s not a bad kid.  That place is full of criminals.”

“I was assured of that and I could tell that right away.  I remember the stories Danny had after spending time in places like that.  And….” Marcus stopped for a moment. Brennon walked around and put an arm around him, “this house is too quiet.  I need some life around me.  Darling Dan had been sick for a while and that settled around this place.  He would want me to do this.”

“I’m glad. Jed needs a break.”

“And he deserves it.” Marcus put his arm around Brennon’s waist and gave him a little squeeze.  “He’s lucky to have a friend like you.”


Justin woke late and as much as he wanted to he didn’t want to wake Brian, so left the bed as carefully as he could.  His body ached.  It often did a bit in the morning but today every muscle seemed to ache and as he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror he stopped.  His stomach was covered in a massive bruise.   Now he remembered why they kept sex inside the house most of the time.  Justin turned the shower on high and hot and looked at his phone he grabbed to text the gallery.  There was a message from the gallery manager saying they had a meeting at 10:30 and he didn’t expect to see him until then.

Justin stepped under the strong spray of the shower and let it pound his sore muscles.  By the time he stepped out he felt much better than he had earlier.  His bruises were tender but he remembered the days when pain turned him on and his cock twitched. He ran a hand along it and it began to get hard.

“Need a little help with that? I might have a place that fits in.”  Brian moved into the room.  He ran his hand over Justin’s stomach and the bruises, “Does it hurt much?”

“It’s what caused the morning hard on,” Justin laughed as he kissed Brian. “I am too old to ask for more pain than just naturally occurs anymore but, it still turns me on.  I know, I don’t know why either.”

“What time do you need to leave?” Brian began to stroke him gently.

“I have about an hour before I need to get ready.  They moved a meeting later, giving me more time.”

“Well, let me sit down and ….” Brian sat down on the edge of the bed and pulled Justin’s naked body close. Justin put his hands on Brian’s shoulders as Brian took his cock in his mouth. 

Justin sighed at the feeling.  He ran his fingers through Brian’s hair, “I love you, Brian Kinney.  I am so glad you came to Seattle.”  Justin took in a sharp breath as Brian’s skills took over and Justin came into Brian’s throat. Justin’s whole body was still trembling as she stepped back and collapsed on the bed and Brian laid back next to him.

The next 10 minutes they talked about their plans for the day.  Brian decided he would hang around the house and enjoy the view for the morning and would head over to the gallery later afternoon for a tour and then they could go home together.

When Justin’s driver picked him up that morning, there was a new spring in his step and a smile on his face.


The week moved on.  Justin sent Brian to meet the guy at the antique shop he had met when he first arrived.  He had several items he wanted Justin to look at and Justin knew Brian would enjoy that, too.  They spent their evenings just being together. When it was nice they ate on the back deck overlooking the sound.  They would go to bed on time and just talk about their family and friends.  Justin texted with Marc most days but he was still mostly off limits except now that Brennon was spending a lot of time there.  

Brennon had moved back home now that Brian wasn’t around and it was time for Jed and Marcus to get into their own schedule.  Summer was winding down and soon Brian and Justin would be back and hopefully everyone would have a routine.

Justin talked to Kevin and after talking with him and the university, Kevin could get some credits for his master’s program as long as Justin did some paperwork for them.  He would move in after Labor Day.  Justin could work with him some and  Kevin would have a large space for a studio.  They were both looking forward to it and Brian was on board too. He loved to see Justin light up and he did every time he mentioned working with the young artist.  Life would go on, with or without Dan.  One week to the grand opening and then they would go to their vineyard.  They would be back where they belonged.


Gus arrived home early on Friday.  “Hey Shel,” he walked over and kissed her.  “You and Talia leaving pretty soon?”

“Yes, I was just finishing my packing although I didn’t take much.  I plan to shop a lot.” She smiled at Gus and he saw the twinkle in her eyes.

“Go ahead, you deserve it and Tally will need things to take to college. It is hard to believe this is her last year.” Gus pulled her close and he kissed her, “I’m going to miss you.”

“Gus, Trenton will keep you distracted I am sure,” Shelby smiled at him as she kissed him again. “I think I have time for….” she moved her hand into the front of his jeans.

“Lord, woman, I always have time for that.” Gus began to take off his shirt.  “I probably stink.  I was on the site today.”

Shelby took in a deep breath, “You smell of sun and soap and just a hint of sweat.  You smell like the man I have loved for 30 years.”

Gus reached toward her and pulled off her top.  He let his mouth wander along her collarbone and then downward between her breasts.  She was still an incredibly beautiful woman and he still loved her to his core.  He worked his way down her body and soon his mouth went to work.  Soon his hand had to grab her hips so his mouth could stay in contact with her clit. She came hard and just as she was coming down, he entered her making her climax again. 

Together they showered and then each went their own way.  

Gus hadn’t shown Shelby but he bought flowers for Trenton and had grabbed a case of the non alcoholic wine Trent likes so much.  He had been trying to spend a night a week up there, they hadn’t had  a whole weekend alone in some time.  Gus wanted it to be special.  Trenton assured him he would have the food for the weekend. The only thing Gus did grab at the last minute was a caramel chocolate tart.  George was dropping some off at Wine and Design when he had stopped to grab the wine and he knew that was something they would both enjoy.

Trent was jittery.  He had no idea why.  He just wanted to spend the next two day with his love.  It was supposed to be rainy but he didn’t mind that.  They could spend time on the back porch the whole time if they wanted to. The only bad thing was the rain was giving him a headache.  He had taken something for it earlier and it seemed to be helping. 

Gus pulled up and got out of the pickup.  He grabbed his bag and then picked up the case of wine that had the tort sitting on top of it and he moved toward the door with it.  Trenton opened it before Gus got there and took the tart off the top of the crate.

“Oh, Gus, what have you brought?”

“When I grabbed the wine, George was making a delivery and I just knew we needed this.”

“Well, I am sure that will be amazing for dessert but right now,” Gus set the case of wine on the counter and the men stepped into each other’s arms.  The kiss was not rushed.  It was more exploration than urgency. When they stepped away, Trenton opened a bottle of the wine and he poured two glasses.  Hand in hand they strode out to the back porch and they sat on the sofa.  They sipped on the wine and just talked about what had been going on.   When they only had an evening they didn’t take the time to do this because they only had a few hours and the physical draw was great but this weekend there was no rush.  They sipped the wine and talked about the kids and about baby Gabe.  They talked about Shelby and Tally shopping for her college apartment and how fast they had all grown.  

Then Gus asked about Trenton’s new book.  He had done the final revisions and now they were saying it would be out in early October.  This was his first attempt at a haunting story and it would be out in time for Halloween.  “Trenton, may I read some of it?”

Trenton leaned over and kissed him.  “Thanks for asking.  I was hoping you would and, Gus, if it is shit lie to me, Ok?”

Gus put his hand on the back of Trent’s neck and continued the kiss.  When they separated he said, “Everything I have read that you have written has been great.”  

“I’ll go get dinner started while you read.” He handed Gus a manuscript that had been sitting on the end table next to him.  “This is the final paper draft with my corrections.”

When Trenton came back out half an hour later Gus was absorbed in the story. “Gus,” no response, “Gus,” he reached out and touched his arm.  Gus shouted and the manuscript flew out of his hand.  “Gussy, it is just me.”

“Oh, shit, Trenton.  I was so involved in the story….I didn’t even hear you.”

“I hope that’s a good sign.” He sat down next to him.

“Pen, I have read everything you have written and this is the best.  Holy shit, it sucked me in.  You are going to be so rich.”

“I already am, Gus, and I am not talking about money.” Trenton pulled Gus against him and kissed him.  It deepened and by the time Trent backed off Gus needed far more than a kiss.  “Down boy, we have lots of time.”

“Trenton, I love you and I feel so guilty sometimes that I know you wait for me.  I know you are faithful but you just wait for me.”

“Gus, you are faithful, too.  I knew from day one that  you had Shelby and…” Trenton seemed distracted for a moment and then put his hand on his forehead.  

“Pen, are you alright?”

“Oh, ya, I’m sorry.  I had a sinus headache earlier and it’s just creeping back in.  It is the weather moving in, I think.”

“Well, let’s go in and you take whatever you need to take. We can eat inside.  It might help if you are out of the humidity out here.” Gus took Trenton’s arm and led him in. Gus finished the meal prep as Trenton took a pill and then came in behind Gus and watched him finish up the meal.  He became more of a distraction than help. Trent put his arms around Gus and rested his hands on Gus’ crotch.

“I thought you had a headache.” 

“Once I was out of the damp air it went away.  I think this meal would be just fine in forty-five minutes if we just set it in the warming oven,” his hand slipped into Gus’ pants.

“Ya, I am fairly sure it would be just fine…” Gus turned and claimed Trenton’s mouth.  After tossing the meal in the oven on warm, began dropping their clothes on the way to the bedroom. Almost an hour later the men walked back into the kitchen.  They were in robes and had damp hair from the shared shower they had taken. They sat by the counter and ate the meal directly out of the pans.  

“Is your headache coming back?” Gus touched Trenton’s temple.

“No, I don’t think so, why?”

“You are squinting a bit.  I thought maybe the light was bothering you.”

“I think I need to go to the eye doctor.  I have been working so hard on this book, I have been straining my eyes a lot.”  

That made sense to both of them. “Pen, you really need to take care of yourself.  Now that you have the last changes turned in, please schedule an appointment next week.”

“Yes, Mom,” Trenton  laughed.  “A movie?”

“As long as I can put my head in your lap,” Gus smiled.

“I said I wanted to watch a movie.” Together they picked something to watch and Gus did lay with his head in Trenton’s lap as they watched.  About half way through, Trent looked down and found Gus sound asleep.  He continued to stroke his arm as he had been doing just happy to touch his skin.  A message came in on Gus’ phone and he glanced to see it was Shelby.  He picked up his own phone and let her know Gus was sound asleep on the sofa.  She responded with ‘lol, just like at home. Thanks, Trent. All good here.’

‘I’ll let him know when he wakes’ he responded to her.  He finished the movie and then gently shook Gus.  “Darling, time to go to bed.”

“Hum…..oh, Pen.  I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to fall asleep.  Oh, shit, I was supposed to text Shel.” He reached for his phone.

“She texted and I responded on my phone, letting her know you were asleep.  She said everything was good there.”

Gus rearranged his position so he was leaning over Trent’s body and he could reach up and put his arms around his neck. Their lips met and they stayed there several minutes. Eventually they made their way to the bedroom.  Once in bed, the men spooned and just fell asleep.  They had two full days to play.  It was time to rest right now.

Gus woke up refreshed on Saturday morning.  He slipped out of bed and pulled on a robe.  He thought he would make breakfast for the two of them.  He fried bacon and made pancake batter.  He made several pancakes and put them in the warming oven and went to see if Trenton was awake yet. He walked in and slipped back into bed next to Trent, “Pen?” He kissed his neck. He moved his hand around Trenton’s naked body and slid his palm across his stomach and up to his chest. “Trenton?”

Trent moaned a bit. “Damn, my head hurts,” Trenton’s words almost sounded slurred. “Get my pills?” Once he had taken the sinus pills, he rolled over and pulled Gus close.  “Just give me ten minutes and it should be better.”  He kissed Gus and laid his head only millimeters from his.  “I love you, Gus.”

“I love you, too, Pen.”

True to his word, Trenton was up and ready for breakfast twenty minutes later. “Maybe the headaches are caused by your eyes, too.” Gus kissed his temple.  Sit.  What kind of eggs do you want?” 

Gus fried eggs for both of them and they looked at news on Trent’s laptop as they ate.  Gus also called Tally and Shelby. They were about to leave the hotel and start shopping for the day and had reservations at an upscale hip restaurant tonight. He told them to have a good time.

After the phone call ended, Gus said, “It’s not raining right now.  How about going for a walk?”

“Sounds good.  It is nice and cool this morning,” Trenton commented. 

They put on some clothes and headed out onto the property. They walked hand in hand around his property.  He rented out some of his land to a neighbor but kept the rights to walk around it. The two talked about everything as they walked.  At one point Trent stopped them and he faced Gus.  It looked like he was going to say something but then just gazed into Gus’ eyes. Finally, he kissed him and then they walked on.  Both Trenton and Gus were quiet as they continued on.  At one point, Gus held out his arm and put his finger to his lips.  He pointed and not far away there was a doe and fawn. They stood there silently  and just watched them.  At some point they moved enough to be in each other’s arms and just watched the beauty of nature near them. 

Trenton sneezed and the deer snapped to attention.  They looked around and then wandered farther away. “Sorry about that.” Trenton pulled Gus close.  “Maybe we should start heading back.  Sorry I am such a downer.  I feel like I am getting old all of the sudden.”

“Pen, you have been working so hard and you haven’t been taking care of yourself.  You make an appointment for as soon as you can and just have a checkup.  Neither of us are teenagers anymore.”

“Gus, you are but you’re right.  I hate to remember I am over 60.” 

“Oh Pen, I’m 50. I’m a grandfather for god sake.”

“I will go to the eye doctor this week and I’ll check in with my doctor. I think with the stress gone and if I get my prescription fixed, I will be fine.  And the weekend with you makes everything seem better. Damn, I love you, Gus.” They kissed and as they continued to the house the sky opened up and it started to pour.  They laughed as they made it to the back porch.  They undressed and began to kiss.  As it began to thunder, they made love on the swinging bed.   Gus grabbed a thin blanket for them to cover up with they laid there and watched the storm roll on.


Brian and Justin called Gus on Saturday afternoon as they sat on the deck enjoying the view.  The phone was on speaker so when Gus answered both of them said hello to their son.

“Hey, Dads, how’s Seattle?”

“It is a perfect weekend. We are just sipping wine and looking out over the water,” Justin responded.

“Trenton and I are watching it rain.”

“That sounds like a euphemism for we interrupted sex,” Brian stated.

“No, we are done having sex for now and watching it rain.”

“Hey, Trenton.  How’s the new book coming?” Justin asked.

“It is at the publisher. Time for me to take a vacation.”

“You should do that. If you want to use one of our places let us know. Gus, maybe you could go with him to Ibiza.”

“Pops, I’m too busy right now but, you’re right, Trent deserves to get away although this house is a great getaway.” Gus kissed Trenton.

“Well, we won’t keep you.  We just wanted to say hi and we might take a nap ourselves soon.” Justin’s hand moved to Brian’s lap.

“See, Pen, if my dads can still have sex in the afternoon at their ages…” 

“Hey, who said sex and we aren’t old.  Ok, we aren’t too old,” Brian grumbled.

“Well, you go take your ‘nap’ and we will go play in the shower.”

“Love you, Gussy. Can’t wait to be back at the winery.”

“Miss you too, Dad. I miss both of you.”

When the call ended, all four men went on with the day.  Brian and Justin talked about the antique jewelry Brian had checked out and they set up an appointment for Sunday, leaving them all Saturday to just be together. 

By Saturday evening, Gus was a bit worried about Trenton and was glad he was going to see his doctor the next week.  Trenton obviously didn’t feel well and Gus made him relax.  He made some dinner for them and then it was Trenton’s turn to fall asleep with his head in Gus’ lap. Gus started texting Danny but then stopped.  What was he going to say, ‘My overworked boyfriend is tired and has eye fatigue.’   “Hey, Pen, let’s just go to bed.  We both can use the sleep.”

Trenton was really out of it and Gus led him to the bedroom. He had been popping those sinus pills a lot.  Maybe he had overdone them a little bit.  He would make sure he didn’t take anymore tonight.  He helped Trenton out of his clothes and helped him lay down.  He then undressed himself and got in next to him. Moving up behind him Gus wrapped an arm around Pen’s waist and he kissed his neck.

“Sorry, Gus, love you,” his voice was a little slurred.  

“I love you, too, Pen.  Nothing to worry about.”  Gus was a little worried now.  He managed to reach his phone and texted Danny.  He said he was probably just worrying for nothing but Trenton had a headache for two days and now his speech was slurred.

Danny responded quickly. He asked if he had any loss of balance.

Gus remembered how Pen had leaned on him as they walked to the bedroom.  He responded that he thought he had.

Gus’ phone rang then and he answered, “Danny what is it?”

“Gus, look at his face. Have him talk or smile.”

“He’s sleeping, Danny.”

“Wake him up and get him to smile for you.”

“Danny, what’s wrong?” He turned Trent over, shaking him.  And then he noticed it.

“Gus what is it?” Trent’s left side of his face didn’t move as he spoke to him.

“Danny, it’s his left side.”

“I have already called the ambulance and Elliott should be there any time.  He left a few minutes ago. He should be there about the same time as the ambulance. He can go in with him.”

“Gus, what’s happening?” Trent was confused and his speech was decreasing.

“Gus,” Danny said over the phone, “I think it is a stroke or a brain aneurysm.  Gus you contacted us.  You did what was important. What’s Trent wearing?”

“Oh, shit, I need to put something on him.”

“Just get some briefs or shorts on him. He would want that. Put your phone down and do it.”

Gus tossed his phone on the bed and two minutes later he had gotten shorts on Trenton and following Danny’s instructions he unlocked the front door, just as Elliott pulled up. The next fifteen minutes was a blur.  The ambulance arrived and Elliott got in the ambulance, meaning Gus had to drive in himself.  As Gus flew down the road behind the sirens, he needed to call someone.  He called Brinn.

“Gus, hey, I thought you were at Trent’s.”

Gus didn’t have any idea what he said but remembered hearing Brinn say they were on their way. When he pulled into a parking spot and ran to the ambulance Danny appeared out of nowhere.  “Gus, you need to give them space.” He put an arm around his slight shoulders. “Elliott is with him.  He will let us know what’s going on as soon as they are sure.”

“Danny, how serious is it? What if he…”

“Gus, you were there and you caught it.  If you hadn’t been there….Gus, it would have been so much worse if you had just gone to sleep. You did all you could.”

“Gus, what happened?” Brinn took Gus in his arms, “Danny what’s going on?”  Danny told Brinn and left Gus in her care so he could go see what was going on. Brinn led Gus to a small waiting room and tried soothing him. “Gus, should I call Shelby?  Would she want to know what happened?”

“Let’s wait until we know if...Brinn, what if…”

“Sh...Gus, he is so lucky you were there. He could have just died in his sleep.” Brinn glanced up and saw Zach walk in. She smiled at him. “Hey, Zach.  It sounds like Trenton has probably had a stroke.  Danny is checking on it right now. Zach and Brinn sat on either side of Gus and waited.

About 30 minutes later, Elliott and Danny walked in holding hands. Gus started getting up but Elliott gestured for him to stay sitting and Danny and he pulled up chairs.  “Gus, Trenton is sleeping right now. He did have a stroke and without you, he would probably be dead right now.”

“But how is he?”

“We won’t know that until he wakes up in the morning and we do some tests.  Just remember, tomorrow won’t tell you what he’ll be like in a week.”

“I should have made him come in earlier. I knew something wasn’t right but…”

“Gus, you couldn’t know and many people wouldn’t have thought anything of it and by tomorrow it would be a lot worse.” Elliott looked at the three of them, “The three of you should go home and get some sleep. You can come back in…

“I am not going anywhere.  I want to be with him.”

“Gus, you don’t know if Trenton has anything in writing about….”

“He’s not dying is he? You just said…”

“No, it’s just that you are not a blood relative or spouse.  Does he have any family?”

“I’m...we are his only family.” Brinn put her arm around Gus’ shoulders as he said so.

“I know that but I didn’t know if he had anything written down that…. You are fine for tonight and with the last name Kinney most aren’t going to give you any problems.  I just wondered if any decisions needed to be made…”

“El, I’ll look into it in the morning.  I will contact his lawyer and see what he has.  Gus, do you want me to stay?”

“No, Brinn, I’ll be fine. Go home and sleep.  Thanks for coming.” Gus stood and hugged Brinn and Zach and then followed Danny and Elliott down the hall.


Gus heard mumbling in his groggy state. Then he remembered where he was and sat up. Trenton was trying to speak. “Hey, Pen,” Gus kissed his forehead.  “Don’t try to talk right now.  You’re in the hospital.  You had a stroke, but you are going to be fine.  Darling, just try to sleep.”

Trenton tried to say something and finally he pointed to a glass.  Gus put some water in the glass and helped him  sit just enough to take a sip of water.  “Better?” Gus asked as he wiped the water that ran down the side of his face. Gus could see fear in Trenton’s eye. Gus slipped into bed next to Trenton, being careful of his IV and he wrapped his arms around Trent who rested his head on Gus’ shoulder and drifted off to sleep. The next time Gus woke up a nurse was taking Trent’s vitals.  He carefully slipped out of the bed.

“How is he doing?” Gus asked the nurse softly.

“His vitals are strong.  Dr. James will be in later.  They will need to complete some tests to know…”

“Ya, but you have seen….”

“It’s Gus, right?” Gus nodded at the nurse’s question, “I’m not a doctor and every patient reacts differently.  I do know it would have been a lot worse if he hadn’t gotten in here as quick as he had and that is because of you.”  She patted his shoulder and walked out.

Gus heard a noise and turned toward the bed.  Trent was reaching for him.  “I’m right here, Pen.  Elliott will be in soon to talk to you.  He can’t tell me anything because I’m not family.”

Trenton’s left hand wasn’t working but he reached with his right hand and imitated writing.  Gus grabbed some paper and a pen and held it for him as Trent wrote, ‘You have my power of attorney.  Lawyer’s office.’

“Ok, Pen. Brinn was going to check on that today.  We know you’ll be fine but someone might have to sign a couple things for you.”

Trenton nodded and then wrote the word, ‘scared don’t go anywhere’.

“Oh Pen, I won’t go anywhere, I promise.” he leaned over and kissed him gently on the lips.  “Don’t worry about anything.”

Gus stayed at his side until they took him for some tests and that’s when Gus called Shelby.  “Hey Gus, I didn’t expect you to call this morning.  I thought you’d be at work by now.”

“What time is it?”

“Gus, what’s wrong? It’s 9:00.  Why don’t you know that?”

“Shelly, it’s Pen.  He….he had a stroke last night.”

“Oh Gus, how is he? He is…”

“He’s alive.  They are doing tests right now to see how bad the damage is.  Shel, I don’t know what is going to happen to him.  Hopefully he will regain all his mobility but right now...he is going to need help for a while.  I will talk to Danny and see if he knows someone.”

“You could track down Lucky and….”

“That man is not coming near anyone I love. He thinks he has to love them too.”

“I’m not sure if I should be jealous or flattered,” Shelby responded.

“I don’t want either of you to be tempted by him.  Hell, he slept with my dad.” Gus was getting wound up.

“Oh Gussy, calm down.  You are tired.  You know that would never happen.  And he may need some help but he is coming home with us.  He gave up his life for several months when I needed help.  It is the least we can do.  Like I said, we may need a nurse during the day when I am working but you and I will take care of him.”

“Oh Shel, thank you.  It will make him feel so much better.”

“Well, I will be home by dinner.  I’ll text when I am close and either stop at the hospital or find you at home.”

“I love you, Shelby.  Don’t rush but it will be so nice to have you here.”

“I love you, Gus.  Have you called your dads?”

“I plan to do that as soon as we say goodbye.”

“Ok. Don’t worry, darling, it will all be fine.  Overall Trenton is a healthy man.  He will do well.” 

Gus called Brian next.  Justin would be working and he didn’t want to interrupt him.  “Hey Gus, how was the weekend with Trent.  I bet you can barely walk.”

“Dad, Trent’s in the hospital. He had a stroke last night.”

“Oh god, Gus, how bad is it?”

“He definitely has some loss of motion on the left side but El is doing the tests right now to get some baseline readings.  It was so scary, Pops.”

“I’ll call John and see if he can get me…”

“No, Pops.  You belong with Dad on his big night. Shel already said he is coming home with us as long as he needs to.”

“You know women are not my thing but you found one of the best I have ever met.”

“I know, Pops,” Gus yawned.

“You need to get some sleep.” 

“I’ll try after we hear the results.  They should be done in a few minutes. I hope to go home and shower and catch a quick nap but I don’t want to leave him here alone.”

“Gus, your family is always there for you.  Talk to John and Tony or Molly, You know anyone will help you out if they can.”

“I will.  Thanks, Pops. Tell Dad good luck and I miss you both but it has been too long since Dad was around.”

“I will tell him.  He misses you too.  And, Gus?”

“Yes, Pops?”

“If we can help in any way, let us know.  Tell Trenton we are here for him, too.”

“Thanks, Daddy.”

Brian’s heart skipped a beat hearing Gus call him Daddy.  He used to do it on a rare occasion but that was usually something he said to Justin. They had done a good job raising him. They had a right to be proud.”

Elliott found Gus as he said goodbye to Brian.  “Gus, let’s go to my office.  We need to talk.  Brinn sent over the paperwork that allows me to do this.  He has it written that you are his power of attorney and that we can discuss all medical issues with you.” 

Gus slumped in the chair across from Elliott. “Sorry, I am really feeling the lack of sleep.”

“I hope you don’t mind, I told Marcus and he is on his way so he can sit with Trenton so you can go home for a couple hours after we talk about the results.  Trenton has lost quite a bit of his mobility on his right side.  I don’t see any reason that he can’t get it back but it is going to be a long road.  He is going to need someone with him most of the time.  His stability will be off for a while but in most cases the victim regains at least 90% of their motion back.  We can’t guarantee that but I do expect that.  With someone like Pen, I am worried about his state of mind.  He is so successful and independent, this is going to be very difficult for him.”

“He is coming home with us.  He doesn’t know it yet but he will.  Until he can be alone part of the time we will hire someone to be with him at our place.  I will talk to him about it.  When will he be free to go home?”

“If he sleeps well tonight, he will go home tomorrow.”

“If it is alright with you, when Shelby gets home, we will talk to him tonight.  I just think it is best for us to wait for Shel to talk about him coming home with us so he knows Shelby is ready for this.”

“That sounds like a great idea.  It could be two weeks.  It could be two months.  Do you think Shelby is ready for that?”

“Of course she is.  He did the same for us when she was injured.”

Elliott watched Gus walk out of the door.  He really hoped he was right.  Trenton needed to want to come back or it is useless to try and he could see the depression in him. That was a side effect of the stroke but he needed to want to get better.  Would staying with Gus and Shel be a deterrent to getting better?  He hoped Gus knew him well enough to know.

Gus walked into Trenton’s room  and Trent glanced up from a food tray.  Since he was right handed at least he could feed himself and write.  That helped.  He was dealing with the left side of his mouth not working well and a little liquid seeped out. Gus picked up a napkin and wiped his chin but as he did so he saw Trenton flinch.  

“I’m sorry, Pen.  Soon you will be able to do all of this yourself.  I promise.”

Trenton wrote, “Go home.  Sleep.”

“I am, love.  I think Marcus is going to stop by and if you need me he can get in touch and for dinner, Shel will be here with me.”

“Go home?” he wrote on the dry erase board they had now given him.

“Hopefully tomorrow.  We will talk about that all tonight when Shelby is home, alright?”

Trent nodded and wrote, “TIred.”

Gus bent over and kissed him with tenderness.  “You sleep.  You scared the hell out of me last night.  I love you so much, Pen, and I am so glad I told you that before this happened.  I would never want you to think I said it just because of this.  This time he kissed him with enough passion that Trent brought his right arm up around him. 

As they separated, Trenton struggled but managed to say, “I love you, Gus.”  It was stilted but it was obvious what he said. 


By 5:00 pm Gus was back at the hospital and Shelby would be there within the half hour.  Gus had brought along dinner for the three of them.  It would need to be warmed up a bit once Shel was there but he figured Trenton would like something other than  hospital food.  Once Shelby arrived they ate and talked. Trenton understood that he would go home with them whenever he was let out of the hospital and he would stay with them until he was ready to go home.  Although they asked for it, he didn’t give his opinion but maybe that was too much to expect right now.

The next day, Gus was at Trenton’s getting his own clothes as well as some clothes and other items he knew Trenton would want and need. By mid afternoon, Trenton was settling into the downstairs bedroom at Gus and Shelby’s.  It was the same room Shelby used when she was paralized. Gus had helped him into bed and then sat on the bed next to him. He put his arms around Trenton and helped him lean against his shoulder.  ‘Trenton, are you alright with this arrangement? I know it isn’t ideal.”

Trenton nodded but didn’t try to speak.  Tonight he was too tired to press anything.  After a few minutes Trenton shuffled and laid down.  He forced himself to say. “Sleep.” 

“Yes, Pen, sleep and if you need us there is a call button right next to you.  Gus kissed him and as he started to move away, Trenton’s good arm came around Gus’ neck.

“Love you.” Trenton managed to get out.

“I love you, too.”


By Wednesday evening, Justin had finished the setup for the grand opening.  That gave him and Brian Thursday to spend the day in Seattle before the opening on Friday and moving back home on Saturday.  Tony and John planned to come to the opening Friday evening and then they would all fly home on Saturday morning.  Brian and Justin had purchased several pieces of the antique jewelry.  They had plans to give it to the women in their lives.  They had pieces for Brinn, Justice, Taylor, Shelby, and Talia. Justin had also found a piece for Molly.   Justin had also bought a piece that he wanted as an example for a project he was planning for Kevin to work on with him.  He was ready to work on a new project and Kevin was the perfect assistant.

On Friday, Justin waited for Brian to bring him fresh clothes.  There were a couple of fires for him to help put out but by 3:00, he had dealt with everything and he lured Brian into a back room where he got changed for the party. Brian and Justin sat on a small sofa in the back of the room in each other’s embrace. “Tomorrow at this time we will be back at the vineyard.  I am so ready…” Justin was saying when there was a knock on the door.  Expecting Tony and John, Justin called out, “Come in.”  Brian and Justin both stood and looked toward the door as it swung open and then both forgot to breath as a man entered the room. 

Softly, under his breath Brian said, “Dan,” before he dropped back onto the sofa behind him.

 

Chapter 9 by Simply written

Chapter 9


Brian and Justin were both speechless.  Brian made a gasp, drawing Justin’s attention from the man standing in the door. “Brian, take a deep breath.  Look at me, baby. Brian….”  Justin saw him take a deep breath and look back at the door.

Justin went into protective mode and stood, facing the oddly familiar stranger.  “Who the hell are you?”

“Mr. Taylor, I didn’t mean to surprise you.  Is Mr. Kinney alright? Please, make sure he is….”

“I asked you who you are!” Justin was yelling now and this time it was Brian’s turn to squeeze Justin’s hand.

“Sunshine…” Brian tried to calm him.

“Mr. Taylor, is everything alright?” a guard rushed in the door behind the man.  

Brian looked at Dan’s double and then at the guard, “I think we are alright.  Can you shut the door and just stay close?”

“Yes, sir.  I will be just outside if you need anything.” 

Brian  led Justin to the table and pointed the other man to a chair on the other side of the table.  “I am guessing you are Adam,” Brian said as the man sat down.

Justin looked at Brian and then questioned, “Adam?”

“Yes, Mr. Kinney. I wasn’t sure you would have ever heard of me.”

“Adam?” Justin said to Brian again.

“Justin, this is Dan’s younger brother.”

“Younger brother?  You knew he had a younger brother? All these years and…”

“Sunshine, why don’t you go change and get ready for your big night.  I will track you down in about 15 minutes, alright? I promise I will tell you everything but right now it is your night and I want you to relax and enjoy it.” Brian kissed Justin.  “Go on, I’ll be there before the doors open.” 

“You’re right.  I do need to do a couple things.”

“Love you, Sunshine.  Tonight everyone will see how bright you shine.” Forgetting the other man in the room for a minute, Brian stood next to Justin, and placing a hand on either side of his face he kissed him, long and slow. “You got this, love.”  

Justin walked out of the room but left the door open a bit. Brian heard Justin say, “Please stay here and if you hear any tension…” his voice drifted out of range.

“I am sorry, Mr. Kinney.  I didn’t mean to shock you.  I forgot you knew my brother back when he was my age. Do I really look that much like him?”

“As you walked in I thought so.  Now that I see you up close, it is still obvious you are related.  What are you doing here?”

“I’m here because you are here,” he took a deep breath.  “I wanted to come see Dan when I heard he ….well when I learned he wouldn’t get better... “

“So you had been in contact? I mean I know he contacted his family maybe thirty years ago but he hadn’t mentioned...well, I was out of the state for three years.”

“Yes, he told me that.  Something with Justin’s mother and your health issues?”

Now Brian was fairly sure Adam was telling the truth.  “Yes, we stayed with her until she passed and I was strong enough to travel. What are you really doing here, Adam?”

“I wanted to get to know Marcus and Danny and Hannah.  I wanted them to know they had an uncle, a brother in law.”

“Why now?”

“I live about an hour outside of Seattle.  I knew Justin has been up here for a bit and when I saw a picture of you in the paper with him last night I knew I needed to try.  If you talked to Marcus for me… Oh, Brian, I don’t want you to miss out on even a minute of Justin’s big night.  Can I take you out for a late dinner or a nightcap?”

“Can you meet us for breakfast? Maybe 8:30?  I will back our flight up an hour or two.  My nephew is here to fly us home so our schedule has some flexibility. Give me your phone number and I’ll send you the address.”

“Oh, thank you, Brian.”

“One question before I go.  Why now?”

“I lost everything.  Foolishly, I thought he would welcome me with open arms. He was right, I didn’t deserve that.  I am glad I at least got to know him before….”

The door opened and it was the guard, “Mr. Kinney, Mr. Taylor asked me to get you.”

“Coming,” Brian put his hand on Adam’s shoulder and squeezed.  “I’ll be in touch.”

Brian was a little lost in thought when John and Tony appeared in front of him and he was swept in the excitement of the evening.  

The evening was a big success.  The gallery under Justin’s guidance was laid out flawlessly and the mural he had painted was going to draw people for years.  It was one of those paintings that you found something new in it every time you looked at it. It was Justin’s night to soak it all in but he wasn’t expected to speak or even mingle if he didn’t want to.  After closing there was going to be cocktails and a light dinner as a going away party for Justin.

At one point, Justin sat next to Brian on a small sofa in front of his mural. He kissed him and said, “Can you tell me something about Adam? And why didn’t I know anything about him?”

“Dan only mentioned his family a handful of times.  His mother died when he was young and his father remarried.  Adam is almost thirty years younger than Dan.  Anyway, his dad said Dan would poison young Adam and refused to let him be a part of his family.  About twenty years ago Dan looked Adam up and Adam was afraid Dan would interfere with his life so Dan promised he would never bother him again. That is the last I heard of it.”

“And where is he now? Did he just go away?”

“I told him I would talk to him over breakfast.  It is up to you if you want to join us.  I want to know if he is serious about wanting to know the family or if he wanted money from them.  Dan’s family is or at least was wealthy.  I don’t know the situation now.  I texted Tyler a little bit ago to look into it for me tonight but don’t feel like you have to come in the morning.”

“I want to.  This could affect Marc. I need to watch out for him.”

“Sunshine, you have to know I would never purposefully let harm come to Marcus and the kids.  I promised Dan I would take care of his family.”

Justin opened his mouth but closed it again.  Tonight wasn’t the night to start something with Brian.  He had come so far.  He was here, wasn’t he?  “Thank you for being here, Brian.  I love you.”  Justin kissed him and then stood and went to speak with a visitor.

Brian watched him walk and for just a moment he thought back to the first art show he went to where Justin had work shown.  He still had the sketch Justin had done of him. He was so young and energetic. And, he was so beautiful. As he watched him engage with some of the guests, Brian watched and realized he was even more beautiful now.  Even at 80, he felt his dick react. He realized even back then his heart had begun to melt.  He already loved him. 


Gus looked at Shelby, “I need to check on him.  Has he said anything to you?” 

“No, I ask if he needs anything and he just shakes his head.” Shelby knew how worried Gus was and she understood that.  She was worried too.  “Stay with him tonight.  I was going to check on your dads’ place to make sure it is ready for them. I’ll just sleep over there.  Maybe he will relax a bit if he knows I am out of the house. You said he likes clam chowder so I picked some up today and there are some biscuits to go with it.  Get him to eat something.  I am worried about him too. Shelby took Gus in her arms and kissed him.  “Gussy do …. You know what to do.  Call me if you need me.”

“I love you, Shel. Thank you for this.”  Gus walked toward Pen’s bedroom.  He hated seeing him like this.  Pen hated relying on anyone and right now he could do very little alone.  Gus tapped on the door and entered the room.  Trenton lay on the floor near the bed. “Oh, god, Pen, why didn’t you call us. Sorry, that was a stupid thing to say.” Gus had rushed to his side and helped get off the floor and had him sit on the edge of the bed.  “Where were you going? Did you need something?”  

Trenton pointed toward the bathroom. “I need…”

“I want you to keep talking but I know you need the restroom.” Gus brought the walker over to him and, walking behind him, made sure he made it safely. Gus then helped him back into the room.  “Why don’t you sit down on the sofa for a bit? Aren’t you tired of sitting in bed?” 

Trenton sat down and reached for Gus’ hand. “Thank...you,” Trenton struggled but got his words out. 

Gus leaned into him and kissed him.  “Oh, Trent, you did so much for us and now we are giving back just a bit. 

“Not better. Won’t stay...forever.”

“Oh, Trenton, it has only been a few days.  You will get better. I know you will.” Gus leaned over and kissed Trenton.  He could feel Trenton trying to respond.  Even without full control of his mouth, Gus could feel his lips working to seal to his. And then Gus felt Trenton struggled but managed to get both of his arms around him. 

“Love you so much. Shel…”

“Shelby, is gone for the night.  It is just you and me. We have clam chowder and biscuits and I think we have something gooey I can lick…”  Gus felt him tense.  “I’m sorry, Pen.  I’m pushing you.”

“You need….find someone.”

“Trenton, there is no one for me beside you and Shelby.  There will never be anyone else and you aren’t getting rid of me that fast.  You just trying to ditch me for a younger man?  I hear Dad is bringing an intern to work with him.  You probably are going to….”

“Kiss...me,” Trenton got out as Gus brought his mouth back to his.

A half hour later, Gus helped Trenton back to bed and once Trent had dozed off, Gus left the room to get dinner  ready for the two of them.  Shelby had left while he was in with Trent but she had put the chowder in the warming oven and had the biscuits ready for baking. He hummed as he worked in the kitchen.  Trenton seemed to be feeling a bit better.  He knew that could be different tomorrow but for tonight he would enjoy the evening with one of his loves.


Lost in thought he hadn’t noticed John and Tony walk over and sit next to him. “Brian, you alright?” John saw a distant look on his face.

“Oh, ya,” Brian chuckled.  “Just being an old man lost in memories.”

“So, this Adam guy, is he for real?” Tony asked as he put an arm around John’s shoulders.

“He’s for real.  Dan only talked about him a couple times and because it was so painful for him, I promised to keep it private.  Adam was still a teenager and living with their father when I heard all of this the first time.  Dan had left home young and no one in his hometown knew he was gay.  His family was powerful and he knew his sexuality would be a disgrace to his father.  Shortly after he left his mother passed away and his father started his second family.  Dan was somewhere around 25 when Adam was born.”

“But Dan had talked to his brother recently?”

“I didn’t know he had but things Adam said makes it obvious they had been in contact.  I don’t know why Dan didn’t want to ….  I need to talk to him and find out what actually happened with Dan.”

“And you are meeting for breakfast?”  Tony questioned.

“Yes.”

“Brian, we want to be there for you.  We will leave the three of you alone but do you mind if we are at the restaurant?”

“No, I’d like that. Thank you, guys.  I can always count on you.” Brian squeezed John’s hand.

“Uncle Brian, after everything you have done for us over the last almost 40 plus years. We would do anything for you and Justin. Plus we get to go to a party in a few minutes.”

Soon Brian, Justin, Tony, and John were getting into the back of a limo for the short ride to the party.  Brian said something to the driver as they got in.  “What did you say to him?” Justin asked as he ran his teeth over Brian’s earlobe.

“I told him to take the long way to the restaurant.”  Before Brian had the sentence out, Tony was pressing John down onto the seat across from them.

Justin smiled at Brian, “I like that idea.” Brian pulled him close as he laid down.

By the time the driver stopped in front of the restaurant all the men had to straighten their clothes.  All four of them enjoyed the rest of the evening.  They drank and ate a wonderful meal. There was music and dancing.  Brian and Justin chose to sit and watch Tony and John.  By the end of the evening, they were all ready for bed but sleeping was the last thing on the minds of Tony and John.  Once they arrived at home, each couple went to their own room. 

Brian and Justin smiled as they heard some noises coming from the room across the hall.  They were both tired and just lay in each other’s arms.  “Brian, tell me more about Adam.”

“Sunshine, I really don’t know that much.  I knew he existed and, according to Dan, Adam had rejected him maybe 20 years ago. All I learned from Adam in the short time we talked is that while we were gone Dan contacted him.” Brian tightened his arms around Justin and kissed his temple.  “I wonder if he felt the need when he realized he wouldn’t be getting better.”

“Yes, that makes sense. I guess we will find out in the morning.” Justin rested his head on Brian’s chest as he yawned.

“Sunshine,” he said sleepily, “Can I tell you I have never been prouder to be your husband.  I sat there tonight and thought about my life if I hadn’t gone to New York to find you.  My life would be empty except for Gus but he would have stayed with his moms.  I would be rich but I would be empty.” He could hear the steady breathing of Justin on his chest. “Sleep, my love.”


Tony and John decided to skip breakfast out and Brian and Justin drove over to the diner.  As they walked in they found Adam already sitting at a booth with two empty cups and a carafe of coffee. Brian had to smile.  That is exactly what Dan would have done for them. He stood and shook hands with both Brian and Justin and all three men sat down. After Joe took their order, the men began to talk.  Justin moved close to Brian and Brian wrapped his arm around him.

“Dan and I never had a conversation that we didn’t talk about you?” Adam said. “You gave him a family when his own family deserted him. I was so glad he reached out two years ago.”

“You said you contacted him.”  Brian didn’t have time for small talk.  

“Yes, three years and nine months ago I lost everything I loved.  My wife and two children were killed in a car accident.” 

Justin reached out and touched his hand, “Oh, I am so sorry.”  

“Thanks.  I didn’t marry until I was forty and then my wife and I had twins two years later.  They were my life and I was shaken to the bone.  Dan sent his condolences but I had been so cruel. I was young but had told him I would never need his kind in my life.  I didn’t know how hard it was not to have family.  When I lost them, I realized what we had done to him but by then he had his own family. He didn’t know me and honestly he didn’t know there was no one else.”

They all stopped talking as the food was set in front of them and they ate as they talked.  “Adam, did Dan call after he got sick?” Justin asked softly.

“Yes, he was honest about being hurt.  He told me about his wonderful family and how he and Marcus became parents and then grandparents.  We actually met up once right after he got his diagnosis and he told me why he couldn’t introduce me to them.  I did understand but now, I don’t know, I just want to get to know them.  I know I can’t replace Dan and they can’t replace my family but maybe…”

“What do you want us to do, Adam?” Brian asked with a reserved tone.  “What are you asking from us?”

“I don’t need money.  I have more than I can use.  I just want to meet his family.  I want to learn more about my big brother.” Adam started tearing up.  “I was so blind when I was young.  It was my wife that taught me how to really love and I missed out with Dan but if I could get to know Marcus, Danny, and Hannah.  Please, can you talk to Marcus for me?”

Justin wanted to respond but knew this had to be up to Brian. He looked at him.  Brian took the last bite of bacon and a swallow of coffee. He started to stand and pulled Justin out of the booth.

“Brian, Adam isn’t….”

“Justin will talk to Marcus and we’ll be in touch.”

“Oh, thank you.  That is all I can ask.”

Justin hugged Adam before Brian almost rushed him out.

“Brian,” Justin said, a bit irritated with him but then he saw his face and he wrapped his arms around his husband. “It will all be alright. I promise you, it will be alright. I think Dan would want us to do this.  I think everyone will find some healing.”


Gus woke up next to Pen.  He looked over at his peaceful face.  He couldn’t even notice the drooping when he was relaxed.   He had been so happy last night when Pen ate a good dinner.  He was remembering how they shared dessert when he heard...

“Stop staring at me,” Trenton slurred.

“When I wake up next to a gorgeous man I have to look.” Gus gently ran his tongue along Trenton’s neck and then worked his way up to his lips.  Trenton struggled but brought both arms around Gus.  “See you have already made great progress.”

“When I see beautiful man, I  can…” Trenton stopped struggling to speak and then he gasped as Gus’ hand slipped into his pajama pants. “Gus, I don’t… Not sure is…” Gus worked his way down and moved the pants away enough to take him into his mouth.  

Gus began to lick lightly and then he poised himself above Trent’s cock and blew gently on it.  Trenton sighed wanting more.  “If you want me to suck you off you need to meet me halfway.”

Trenton focused all his will and slowly raised his hips and Gus gladly met him.  After Trenton had repeated the motion half a dozen times, Gus moved lower and it wasn’t long before Trenton’s body trembled and Gus coaxed him over the edge.  Gus hoped that wasn’t bad for him.  He had definitely enjoyed it but now he was laying still with his eyes closed.

“Trenton, are you alright? Was that too much?”

Trenton nodded but didn’t say anything.  After a few minutes, Trenton said, “Piss.”  

Gus left him alone in the bathroom until Trent called to him and then they showered.  After Trenton was dressed, Gus helped him out to the kitchen so he could have some new scenery.  Trent dozed in the chair while Gus made breakfast and then the men ate.  Gus helped Trenton  cut up his sausage and spread jam on his toast.

“Baby,” Trent rolled his eyes.

Gus smiled at him, “Trust me, I have changed a lot of diapers, I have never seen the equipment you have on a baby.”

Trenton laughed softly, “Love you. Gus.” He took a breath, “My house.  Need to go…..food.”

“Oh, ya, your fridge and fruit on the counter. I could…. Do you mind if I send Brennon and his boyfriend? I know they would be very respectful and would do a good job.  Anything still edible they will eat.” Gus laughed.

“Yes. Key.”

“Let me call my nephew and I will give him my key.  You rest up and maybe we can walk in the pool for a bit later.” Gus stood and gave Trenton a deep kiss.  “I don’t know what I would have done if I had lost you.”  With that Gus walked away and Trenton laid his head on the back of the chair.


Brennon was glad to help and he was excited to have some alone time with Jed.  He had been at Trenton’s once and he remembered the swinging bed on the porch.  He hadn’t told Jed anything but he had taken a couple condoms with him.  If it felt right maybe….He and Jed had explored every inch of each other. They had used some toys and explored each other’s ass and Brennon thought he was ready if Jed wanted to and maybe Trent’s porch would be the place.

The boys chattered on the ride to Trenton’s and as they pulled up Jed went silent.  He looked at the beautiful house. “Are all your friends rich?”

“My best friend makes me rich.” Brennon kissed Jed’s cheek.

“Bren, what do you see in me? I don’t have anything to offer you?”

“Oh, that isn’t true and I really hope you will offer me…” His hand slid across Jed’s crotch.

“Bren, are you saying what I think you are?” Both of them got out of the car and walked to the house. 

“I am.  We have a couple hours in this house all by ourselves. It won’t take us long to clean out the kitchen and I told Marcus we might explore a while.  He has a great property.  Let’s clean first and then we can decide what we will do after that. I’m not pushing you into anything.  I just want you to know I am ready, I think.”

“Aren’t you scared to have me cram my junk in that little asshole of yours?”

“Just hearing you talk about it has got me hard.  I know it’s going to hurt like hell the first time but I also know I trust you and I need to know what it feels like.” They walked into the fabulous house.

“Bren, how come me?  Why did you pick me out of all the beautiful boys that you could have?”

“Jed, I don’t need ‘stuff’. I need someone I trust and someone who seems to like me for me.”

“Brennon, you are my best friend.  I love you.”

“I love you, too, Jed. We might be too young to know what being in love like my mom and dad or my grandfathers but my mom was with my dad when she was younger than me and Grandpa Justin was only a little older than me when he moved in with Grandpa. All I know is I love you right now and I know you love me.  That is all I need.  And my brother comes home next week and I know he’s been with more than one girl this summer so ….” Jed’s face started to crumble.  “Oh, no, my sweet Jed, that is not why I want to be with you.  I just know that once Zander gets home, school will start and I know we will all be busier.”

Taking him by surprise, Jed pulled Brennon tightly against him and he kissed.  Both men felt the other responding as their cocks strained for release.  Brennon took Jed’s hand and led him out the back door and over to the swinging bed.  “When I saw this as a kid Zan and I played on this bed and as I got older I wondered what it would be like to make love on a bed that moves and now, maybe we can…”

Jed found a burst of bravery and soon they were both naked and laying beside each other on the bed. They faced each other and touched and kissed and then, softly said, “Are you sure?”

“Oh yes, please.  Brennon grabbed the condom and lube he had in his pants pocket and he slipped it onto  Jed. 

“Brennon, I really don’t know how to start.”  Brennon thought for a moment and then got on all fours.

“I think this might be the easiest for us.” Jed got on his knees behind him and Bren jumped when Jed penetrated him with his finger. Brennon did his best to relax and laid his chest down on the bed and as Jed began to move his finger in and out.  He accidentally brushed against Brennon’s prostate and Brennon came hard.  As Brennon still shook from the orgasm, Jed moved in slowly but steadily.  Before he had even gotten all the way in, he too, orgasmed but rather than just pulling out, he stayed deep inside him for several moments.  He then slid in and out a few times before he pulled out and slipped off the condom. As they laid down next to each other they kissed again.

“What that ….I didn’t hurt you too much did I?”

“Shut up and kiss me and then hurt me again.”


Brian and Justin arrived home midafternoon.  After unpacking Brian moved behind Justin and wrapped his arms around Justin, gently pinning his arms against his side.  Softly Brian said, “It’s been a long time but I want to feel you inside me.”

“Brian, are you sure? It has been a very long time since…”

“I’m sure.” Brian turned him around and kissed him as he worked Justin’s shirt off over his head.  Soon both men were naked and they laid down next to each other.  Justin lay behind Brian and with his fingers began to slowly prepare Brian.  Brian relaxed and then sighed as Justin moved and replaced his finger with his cock and very, very slowly moved inward but as he began to move, he heard Brian making noises of pleasure and then  Justin felt him clench around him causing him to cum.  

Laying together several minutes later, Brian had turned and pulled Justin close.  “Sunshine, I’m getting so old.  If you want to….”

“Shut up, Brian Kinney. Hell, I’m not 20 anymore. If we could never have sex again, it would not change our love for each other.” Justin kissed him slow and sweetly, “We are so much more than sex.  Plus, I bet we have had twice as much sex as most people have in a life time.” Justin wrapped his top leg over Brian and Brian slipped into Justin this time and with slow strokes with no rush they enjoyed each other until they  both came once more and then they moved out to the pool and they cooled off in the inviting water.

“Brian, why did you mention sex?”

“Well, I thought maybe Kevin…”

“I hope he can mend his broken heart but it will have nothing to do with me.” Justin walked off and then dove under the water.


Brennon and Jed grabbed the bag of food and locked up the house.  Brennon was walking a little slow but the discomfort was giving him a constant hard on because it reminded him of Jed.  

“Bren, you are alright aren’t you? I mean if…”

“If I think anything is a little off I will talk to my grandpas.  They get home today.  Do you want to stop there before I bring you home?” 

Jeb flushed enough for Brennon to notice, “I would be too embarrassed that they know we…”

“They won’t care.  We did it the right way. Well, I mean we used condoms.”

“Not right now.  I should get home anyway.  Hannah is coming.  I am a little nervous.  I mean she is their daughter and…”

“Hannah is really nice and she will be glad you are there for him.”

“I hope so.”  Jed said as Brennon pulled up at the house.  Jed leaned over and gave him a kiss and then he got out of the car and rushed into the house.

Brennon was very excited to see his grandfathers and to tell them about his day.  He grabbed the bag of food he had picked up at Trenton’s and brought it with him into his grandpas’ house.  He put the vegetables into the refrigerator and then went to find them.  He could hear water splashing so he headed out to the pool.  At the last minute he slipped into some trunks he kept here and walked out to find two of his favorite people.

“Holy shit, Sunshine, I do believe our grandson just got done fucking.”

“Grandpas plural, I am so glad you are back even if one of you is very rude.” Brennon swam across the pool to where Justin was standing.  He hugged and kissed him.  “I hear you were a big hit.”

“It went very well and I love it up there but I don’t want to leave again for a long while and I won’t leave unless the rude one is with me.” They both laughed looking over at Brian before Justin put an arm around his grandson and said, “He was right, wasn’t he?”

Brennon nodded, “Jed and I just went to Trent’s place to pick up some things out of his fridge so I just put them in your refrigerator.  There is some cream in there for your coffee and some vegetables that were still good.  We threw out what was bad and then we tried out the swinging bed on the porch.”

“And?” Justin held his beaming grandson close.

“It was a little awkward but it was really good and by the third time we had it down pretty good.”

“And you can still walk?” Justin laughed.  “So do you love him?”

“Grandpa, we love each other.  We both know that it isn’t likely we will be together in thirty years.  Hell, we probably won’t be together in three years but that is alright because we are here now and we can learn together and neither of us will feel embarrassed if we mess up.”

“And, trust me, sometimes it is messy. Enough about me, I am so excited that Zander will be home by next weekend.  I have missed him so much.” They wandered over to include Brian in the conversation. 

Later that night as Brian and Justin ate dinner they talked about Adam and Marcus, “So, are you going to tell him tomorrow?” Brian asked.

“I don’t know.  I need to talk to him to know how he is really doing.  If he isn’t up to it, I won’t tell him.  He just took on Jed and I know Hannah is home this weekend so I will wait until she goes off to school again.”

“That sounds wise but of course you always are.” Brian kissed him.  “I wasn’t wrong about Bren, was I?”

“No, he and Jed had sex at Trenton’s on that swinging bed.”

“They were safe, right?”

“Yes, he is a bright boy, just like both of his fathers and his mother are smart people.”

“Speaking of Gus, have you heard how Trent is doing?”

“I think Gus is more worried about him mentally than physically.  Trenton isn’t the kind of guy that knows how to be taken care of.  That’s why he is so perfect for Gus. Gus needs to be taken care of.”

“Yes, our boy has always done better when someone is taking care of him but his heart is so big, no one notices.  He raised a good man.”  Brian smiled.  “And there is that feisty daughter of ours. We did something good.”

“Bri, we did a lot of good. I have to admit, I’m feeling my age tonight.  I think I am ready for bed.”  Brian looked at him concerned.  “Oh, Bri,  don’t worry.  I am just coming down from the high of Seattle and, I’ll admit, I have been aching a lot the last couple weeks.  This leg is telling me the weather is changing or is it I am just getting old.”  Justin stood and picked up a plate but Brian took it from him.

“Go start filling the tub.  I’ll join you as soon as I get this put away.” 

Justin kissed him, “Thank you, love.”  Brian watched and noticed he was definitely limping more tonight.  He was going to hire live in help tomorrow.  They had more room than they needed and he would just have to warn whoever they hired there would be naked men seen from time to time.  

When Brian walked into the bathroom Justin appeared to be sound asleep.  The tub was filled with steaming water and after undressing, Brian moved close and bent over to kiss him.

“Oh, I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to fall asleep.”

“You deserve to relax.  Tomorrow we are going to start looking for help.  No more cooking and cleaning for you.  We will find someone who just has to accept us as we are, even if that means seeing us walk around naked.” Brian slipped in the tub facing him at the other end of the big slipper tub. His feet rested on either side of Justin’s hips.

“Are you sure, Bri?  I know, other than Alice, you have never been fond of having someone around.”

“Sunshine, I’m too old to care if someone sees me naked, not that I ever cared about that but we have both earned time to relax. And face it, our loud, all night love making is a thing of the past.”

“I love you, Bri.” Justin’s foot began to rub his dick and now it was Brian’s turn to lay his head back and escape in the pleasure.

Both men fell asleep for a short time and Brian woke when Justin worked to stand up.  “Take my hand,” Brian said and Justin reached for it.  Soon they were both drying off and then they both slowly moved to the bed.  “Remember when we couldn’t wait to get in bed and fuck every night.  Now I just can’t wait to get in bed.” They both laid down and Justin dropped his head on Brian’s chest, “Although you make it much better.” He let his hand trail down Justin’s side and rested on his ass. He didn’t make any other move, he just enjoyed his proximity.

Justin moved his leg several times, stretching the muscles gently. “Fuck, it hurts tonight.”

“Well, if resting it the next couple weeks doesn’t help, we will get you into the orthopedic specialist.”  When Justin didn’t argue, Brian made note to talk to Danny or Elliott and ask if they should be worried about it.


The next two weeks was a blur.  Trenton was physically moving much better but he was still struggling with his speech. Gus was seeing a side of Trenton he hadn’t seen before.  He had snapped at both Shelby and Gus.  They both tried to be patient but Trent wrote on a whiteboard that he wanted to go home and the therapist said there was no reason he couldn’t as long as he was checked on.  Gus promised Shelby he would talk to Trent before the end of the weekend.  They both knew Trenton wasn’t happy here and that made everyone unhappy.

It was Labor Day weekend and Jed went along with Marcus to help Hannah settle in her new apartment.  Hannah had instantly taken to her foster brother  and told him he had to come along because she needed his muscle to move furniture. Jed would do anything for her, even if it meant schlepping her possessions for her.  Elliott, Danny, and the kids stopped by the apartment to help for a little while before they went on their way to the beach for a long weekend before school started in a couple days.  

Although Brennon missed Jed it was great having Zander home and the two young men were catching up after their summer apart.  They had talked through the night more than once talking about their love lives and plans for the next year.  Zander really liked Jed, too, so the three had done several activities together but this weekend it would be family time.  Juss was coming home along with Tally.  Taylor and Ian were bringing sweet baby Gabe and Gage was coming home with a woman. Everyone was going to be in and out of Brian and Justin’s house all weekend.

Justin had stayed off his leg as much as he could the last couple weeks.  He and Brian had interviewed  a handful of possible housekeepers and ended up hiring a young man named Nico who was working on his doctoral thesis.  They were all happy with the setup.  Brian and Justin promised to be flexible when he needed more time to work on a paper while he promised to be available 24/7 if they needed more assistance at times.  They had decided it might be nice for Kevin to have some young company, not to mention Brian and Justin always enjoyed having good looking young people around.

Brian and Justin woke up to tapping on the door. “Yes?” Justin called out and the door opened.

“I know we didn’t talk about breakfast in bed but since it is my first morning here, I want to show you it wasn’t a mistake to hire me.” Nico walked in carrying a tray. His soft voice and accent was like honey.  “Do you prefer it in bed or out on the patio? You would need to put on a thick robe if you want to go out.  It is a bit cool this morning.”

“I think we will just stay in right now since you have it on a nice tray. Nico, I think you may meet our nephew Antony this weekend.  I am sure the two of you will enjoy talking.  He grew up in Milan.”

“I love Milan.  I used to visit there at least once a year.  I grew up on a small island but we had family there.”  Brian and Justin had both propped themselves up.  The smell from the food had filled the room and they were both instantly hungry.  I made coddled eggs over country potatoes along with turkey sausage and I hope you don’t mind but found some crescents in the freezer so I baked some of those.  They are very good.  I will need to shop for more.”

“Oh, more will be delivered.  We can talk about food delivery later,” Justin said as his fork broke the yolk of the egg and it ran into the potatoes. He took a bite and sighed.  “This is….”

“Fuckin’ good.” Brian finished his sentence.

“I will leave you to eat in peace.  I will pick the tray up later,”  Nico said as he left the room.

Brian and Justin ate and talked about the plans for the weekend.  And when they had eaten every bite, they moved out of the bed. Justin gently stood up putting his weight on his strong leg. “How is it this morning?” Brian looked over and saw Justin cringe a bit.

“It actually is a little better and now with Nico here, I will get fat and lazy.”

“No, you won’t because You will be working with Kevin but I will give him orders that he has to keep you from doing something stupid.”

“I don’t have the option really anymore.  It just hurts too much if I spend too much time on my feet.”

“Did you schedule an appointment?” Brian asked as he walked over and took Justin in his arms.  He kissed him before grabbing the tray off the bed and setting it on the table.  He then made Justin sit down again.  He sat next to him and began massaging his leg. He grabbed some oil off the end table and put some in his hand.  He began to work the oil into Justin’s scarred thigh. Justin pulled a face as Brian worked the tight muscles.  Brian couldn’t look at his face because he knew it was hurting him but he also knew Justin usually felt much better later.  When Brian finally stopped, he saw Justin’s face was covered with tears. “Oh, Sunshine, I am so sorry.  Why didn’t you tell me to stop?”

Justin shook his head, but didn’t say anything.  Brian walked with him out to the hot tub and helped him go down the steps and sit down.  Brian hated seeing him hurt.  Softly Brian said, “Have you made an appointment?” He kissed Justin’s temple.

“I talked to him and I have an appointment for mid October.  He wanted me to rest it until then and see if it heals itself.  That way when they run tests they will know if there is an injury or if it was just strained and healed itself.”

“I’m sorry I hurt you.”  Brian wrapped his arms around his Sunshine.

“It really does feel much better now.” Justin moved Brian’s hand to his cock which was hard as a rock,  “Do you think you could help a guy out?” Justin turned slightly so Brian had better access and Justin had better access to kiss Brian.  Neither of them noticed Nico come out and bring plush towels and robes and set them in a chair by the tub.  Just as he did, Justin shouted as he came under the water.

“Excuse me, I didn’t mean to, um, interrupt but I brought you some towels and robes but mainly I wanted to let you know that Kevin called and he will be here in about 30 minutes.”

Brian stood and Nico offered his hand as Brian stepped out.  He then helped Justin out and after drying his back, Nico helped him on with his robe. “Nico, you know you don’t have to do all this.”

“I know, but I take my job seriously and I enjoy doing for others,” he winked, “And I got to see two beautiful men naked.”  

Brian laughed out loud, “Oh, Nico, you are good for an old man.  In my day there would have been something to look at but now I am old and not so fit.  He rubbed the spot on his chest where he had his chemo port.  

“You are still a beautiful man, Brian.  Americans are far too focused on age they miss out on the beauty of a man who has earned his scars. Justin, may I ask what happened to your leg?”

Brian wrapped his arms around Justin as he started to talk, “Someday we will tell you the whole story but briefly we had an accident in the Outback.  I nearly lost my leg.”

“You nearly lost your life, Sunshine.” Brian held him tight. “But right now we better get dressed before Kevin gets here.”


An hour later Justin was in a car with Nico, directing him to Stone House while Kevin followed in his car.  He was going to live in Stone House while he was here.  It would give him his own space.  After the earthquake they had taken down the cottages around the place.  The damage was too great to make them worth fixing up.   Now Nico and Kevin were emptying the car while Justin relaxed on the sofa.  He hated being restricted but at least he could watch the two young men and he had no idea if they were meant to love each other but he could tell they would be good friends.

“Justin, this place is so amazing. Is it really old or just built to look that way?”  Kevin asked as he looked around.

“It is old.  This place is mostly original.  Gus, our son, did remodel the kitchen and bathroom. It was where he and his lover met.  Oh, before I forget, the fridge and pantry should have the staples you need but you are welcome to eat with us most of the time.”

Kevin and Nico looked at each other and then at Justin, “Why do I think I will keep being surprised.  I have never heard a father just talk about his son’s lover like that when I know he is married, unless this was before his marriage but then he wouldn’t need a little get away.”

“Gus is bisexual.  He has been with his wife 30 years and he has been with his lover for over 15.  There are no secrets.  In fact, Trenton had a stroke recently and he is living with them right now while he recovers and  when Shelby, Gus’ wife was injured, Trent moved in with Gus and his family to help out.”

“Wow, and they have kids?”

“Yes, and they gave us our first great grandson.” Justin smiled at Kevin.  

“I think this is just what I need right now. I like the no judgement feel.”

“Well, Nico, if you’ll drive me back, I think some of our grandkids are coming over to swim.  Or, if you want to stay here for a bit longer you can and I will just drive the car back.  You can either walk back, it’s not far through the vines or Kevin can drive you back later.”

“I will come back with you.  I should get some lunch ready and then…”

“We can get our own lunch.”

“I know but it is my job now.”  They said goodbye to Kevin and he was coming over to swim a bit later 

After lunch, kids started dropping by.  Tally arrived first and soon Justice arrived with her brothers.  Soon the pool area was filled with shouts and laughter.  Brian and Justin joined them for a little while but then they sat in a lounger together and held hands as they watched their children’s children enjoy each life.

“Brian, we really do have a perfect life.  I wouldn’t change a thing.  Everything that has happened to us makes us who we are and who we are has helped shape all of them.”

“You’re right.  They are all growing up so fast.  These four are almost out of the house and Gage is bringing home a girl….well at least Brennon understands love.” Justin and Brian both laughterd.  “Sunshine, are you going to talk to Marcus about Adam soon?”

“Yes, I told Adam I planned to talk to him this week.  I think the first day the kids are back in school I will take him to lunch.  I think he’ll welcome meeting Adam and I know Adam wants to meet him and learn more about Dan’s family.  If Adam comes here, will you have dinner with us? You haven’t talked to Marcus for weeks.”

“There hasn’t been a reason to.”

“Brian, I think Adam coming will help you, too.  Just because Dan is gone doesn’t mean we will ever forget him.


The weekend flew by.  The family was in and out.  Justin sat for a long time holding Gabe, spending time with each of the grandchildren but he had to admit by the time Monday afternoon rolled around he was glad Nico was there to clean the kitchen and do laundry once everyone had left.

As they lay in bed, Brian and Justin interlocked fingers as their bodies relaxed.  “Marc is coming to lunch here on Wednesday.  I will talk to him then.”

“That sounds like a perfect day for me to go to town and just check out Kinney Enterprises.”

Justin opened his mouth to argue but gave up before he started. “Good night, Brian.  I love you.”

“I love you, too, Sunshine.”  With that Justin turned his back to Brian and like he had done for 50 years, Brian moved up to him and like two pieces of the same puzzle they fit together perfectly.


Chapter 10 by Simply written

Chapter 10


“How can we live a couple miles apart and never see each other?”  Justin asked Marcus as he gave him a long hug.

“I know.  Since you got back it's been crazy,” Marcus kissed his cheek and they walked around the outside of the house to the pool area, arm in arm.  

“How is it going with Jed?” Justin asked as they walked onto the patio.

“He is one amazing young man who, by the way, is in love with your grandson.”

“Well, that’s good because they have been fucking every chance they get.”  Justin laughed at Marcus’ face.  “You didn’t know?”

“No, I didn’t.  Because of the Foster Parent rules, I asked them not to do anything at our house and they are respecting that.”  Marcus and Justin moved near the table already set.  “Have you had your leg looked at?” 

“I’m sorry, am I leaning too hard?”

“Justin, I would carry you if that would help you out.”  They arrived at the table and both sat down.

“I have talked to my doctor.  I will see him in October but he wants to see if whatever is affecting it heals itself.  I know I stressed it finishing the mural. And that is why we hired Nico,” Justin said as Nico brought the food out to them.  After each of them had taken a couple bites, Justin stopped.

“Are you going to tell me why we’re having lunch?”

“Marc, you’re my best friend. Can’t we…”

“Don’t waste our time.  Ever since you got back there has been something going on. Brian isn’t still …”

“No, he’s getting there.  Someone dropped by the gallery on opening night.”

“Well, I am guessing lots of people dropped by.  Justin, what is it? Who was it?”

“I know we’ve talked about this before but, did Dan ever talk about his family?”

“Just enough to say he had a much younger brother but he had no contact with any of them.  I also saw a news article about his father dying many years ago. Why? He didn’t have a wife and kids back in the day, did he?”

Justin reached across the table and took Marc’s hand. “The man that showed up was Adam, Dan’s brother.  Marcus’ expression changed a bit but Justin had expected more reaction. “You don’t seemed shocked.”

“I’m actually a little relieved.  A couple years ago, the last time Dan and I went to Seattle before he got too sick, he disappeared for an afternoon.  He tried to tell me it was a business thing but I just knew it wasn’t.  I overheard a whispered call and heard him say the name Adam.  I asked him about it but he was so adamant about not talking about it. I didn’t push him and his health decreased quickly after that so I just put it out of my mind and took care of my husband.  A few weeks ago I was going through Dan’s office and ran across a notebook that had the start of several letters, all of them to Adam.  None of them were more than a couple sentences and although slightly different, they all showed regret about something. I actually had planned to ask you and Brian about it.  How long have you known about Adam?”

“I didn’t know anything until he walked in the door that night.”

“What does he look like? Does he look like Dan?”

“He looks very similar to Dan at that age.  He is younger than you.  I would guess about 50.”

“What did he want? How did he connect you with him?”

“Dan had mentioned us.  They had talked several times.  Adam seemed very genuine and we have checked into him a bit.  He has plenty of money of his own and we really think he just wants to meet you and your family.  His own wife and kids were killed in an accident a few years ago. I think he just wants to meet his only living relatives. He wants to learn more about Dan.”

Marcus didn’t respond for several moments.  “I need to talk to the kids.  I need to know their thoughts but I know I would like to meet him.”

“Talk to your kids.  If you have any questions …. I will send you his contact information. The friends finished their meal and Nico appeared and cleared off the table.  “Let’s go sit in the lounge chairs.  Soon it will be too chilly to enjoy it out here.”

Marcus linked his arm in Justin’s and they walked over to a sofa out in the sun and sat next to each other. Justin put an arm around Marcus, who rested against him.  “Tell me about him.  Is he like Dan?”

“His voice was similar and we talked about his looks but it surprised me that some of his mannerisms were so much like Dan and they had only met a couple times.  When we got to the diner, he had coffee waiting for us.  He wore his heart on his sleeve a little more than Dan but he has gone through a lot of pain.  I know Dan had that same heart he just hid it well.”

Justin glanced down at his friend who had a stray tear running down his cheek. “Justin, I miss him so much.  I reach for him at night and he isn’t there.  I start talking and realize he isn’t there.  Sure, I miss the sex but we had only done that a couple time in the last year but I  miss my best friend.  I miss the lover who knew me so well I didn’t have to say anything.”

Justin opened his mouth to say something but instead just kissed the top of his head and tightened his arms around him.

Brian stood in the doorway of the house watching them.  Nico walked up to him and said, “Is this expected?” he asked Brian as they watched Justin pull Marcus closer.

“Ya, and it fucks me up every time.  I...the four of us were always close but without Dan...   I know Sunshine is mine but Marc is much younger and still very good looking. They have a relationship….well, like Dan and I did and I don’t like seeing them like that but there is no changing it now.”

“But like you said, Brian, you are his true love.”

“Thanks, Nico, I am glad you’re here.  I can tell you are going to be good for both of us.”


Marcus went home and found himself very restless.  By the time Jed arrived home from school, Marcus was preparing dinner.  Cooking had always been a way for him to think things through and with Jed in the house he knew it would get eaten.  

Jed sensed something instantly, “Um, Marcus, is everything alright?  I get the feeling something happened today.  Do you want to talk to Justin or…”

Marcus smiled at the young man.  He was so fond of him already.  Life had dealt him a lot of crap but he was always caring and loving.  “Jed, I’m fine.  I just found out something today that I hadn’t heard before and I need to talk to my kids about it but Danny is still at work so I plan to talk to both of them tonight.”

“If you need to talk…”

Marcus hugged Jed, “It isn’t a bad thing, I promise.  It will be about an hour before dinner, if you want to relax or get your homework done.”

“Ok, but if you need some help let me know.”

“Thanks, son.  I will.” 

Marcus didn’t see it but Jed was smiling from ear to ear.  Son.  He had called him son.  Jed still missed his family but he had realized he didn’t feel the stress he used to. He didn’t have to worry about having to move or if he would have a place to sleep.  He hoped his sisters were as comfortable as he was.


Gus had told Pen they would talk this evening so after a nearly silent, tense dinner Gus and Trenton went out on the deck.  “Want drink,” was the first thing Pen said all night.

“What would you like? Coffee, water, tea?”

“Vodka,” came out quite clearly.

Gus started to smile but then noticed Trenton was serious. “Oh, Pen, you really don’t…” Gus moved to hug him but he was pushed away.

“Vodka!”

“I guess if you want to throw away 30 years of sobriety you know where the alcohol is but I am not getting it for you.”

“Go home?” Trenton now looked very defeated. “Miss home.”

Now Gus did put his arms around him and kissed him.  “I know you do, Pen.  The doctor said you can go home but I am worried about you.  I have never seen you in this kind of mood and I understand that but I need to know you will text if you need me.” Gus put his hands on either side of his face and looked him directly in the eyes, “You will get better.  I know you will but if you could never speak another word, I know you could communicate.  I have seen you writing on your laptop already. Pen, I need to know ….”

“No drive.  Visit?”

“You are right you can’t drive yet but probably next week.  And of course I will visit you.”

“Love me?”  He rolled his eyes, “Feel like child!” his frustration was obvious.

“I know for someone who communicates so beautifully, this is even harder.  I will stay with you the first night for sure and then we will see.”

“Shel hate me? Been mean.”

“She still loves you.  We both understand but her patience is running thin. If the first night goes well, I will need to be here but if you need anything….someone could stay with you.”

“No, my place!” he than softened a bit and looked at Gus, “Our place.” 

Shelby watched Gus and Trenton kiss.  It was long and slow and if she wasn’t so jealous it would be beautiful.  It was time for her to have her husband to herself.  She knew she would always have to share him but she didn’t have to share her home, too.  

The next day Gus drove Trenton home and after getting him settled in, he went off to work. Shelby agreed someone should stay with him tonight but after that she expected Gus home a good part of the time. When Gus arrived at Trenton’s after work that day, Trent had dinner waiting for him.  They ate at the counter and cleaned up the kitchen in silence but then Trent took Gus’ hand and led him out to the porch where he had his laptop open and he started talking through the computer. Gus could barely read as fast as his fingers added words.  He didn’t have anything specifically he wanted to say but he wanted the interaction with Gus.  After this went on for a couple hours, Gus yawned.

“I’m sorry but I need to start thinking about bed.  I have to  be out of here early in the morning for a meeting.  A tear slipped out of Trent’s eye and he brushed it away, not wanting Gus to notice.  Since the stroke his emotions came out frequently and they were erratic which is why he had snapped at both Shelby and Gus. It’s also why he was crying now.  Gus stood and reached for Trenton’s hand.  He stood and, after closing the laptop, he picked it up and they walked in together.  Trenton’s limp was nearly undetectable and the weakness in his hand and arm was also well hidden.  As they both undressed and got in bed they used their bodies to say everything.


Marcus had talked to his kids and both of them agreed that if Marcus wanted to meet Adam it was a good idea.  Hannah probably wouldn’t be home when he came down but Danny would definitely be there for Marcus for support.  As he said goodbye to Danny and Hannah, Jed came in to say goodnight. He saw a distant look on Marcus’ face and hesitated for a moment if he should say anything.  He started to turn around to leave when Marcus noticed him.

“Oh, hey Jed, you heading to bed?”

“I was.  Did you talk to Danny and Hannah? It’s none of my business since I am not family but if there is anything I can do for you….”

“Jed, I know you have your own family but as far as I am concerned, as long as you live in my house you are family and you are I should have included you.  I just found out that my Darling Dan had a brother.  The story is too long to go into now but I am going to arrange for a time for Adam to come visit.  I just wanted to run it past the kids before I brought a stranger here to talk about their dad.”

“Marcus, if I can ever do anything…”

“That is very nice, Jed, and you don’t know how much it helps me having you in the house with me.” Marcus walked over and hugged Jed.  “I sometimes forget that you just lost family, too.”  Jed tightened his grip on Marcus and for a moment neither said anything.   Marcus then said, “Why don’t you get to bed.  I will let you know when Adam is coming and some night I will tell you the whole story or as much as I know.”

“Marcus, I hope you know how much I….thank you for taking me in.” With that Jed turned and moved toward his room.  Marcus watched the brave young man as he entered his room.  He was going to check into the status of Jed’s mother.  He wanted Jed to feel safe and secure and not live under the worry of what was to come.


Justin met Kevin in the old wine barn that had now been converted into a large art studio.  Kevin had started working on a large sculpture while Justin sat in another area working on a painting.  Nico started hanging out there when he had research to do, too.  He found the atmosphere energizing and with Brian and Justin’s permission, moved an old desk into the loft area which was his work area.  This is how they spent part of most days although Justin did have days where he just stayed at the house if his leg was bothering.  

Brian thought Justin’s appointment couldn’t come soon enough.  He was afraid that they would be told there was nothing that could be done unless he was ready for amputation.  They had been told years ago there wasn’t much more that could be done.  It was probably scar tissue causing the issue today. As Brian sat drinking a cup of coffee, there was a knock on the door and Marcus entered the house.

“Oh, Brian, is Justin around?” Marcus stiffened as soon as he saw him. “ wanted to let him know about Adam’s visit.”

“He’s at the barn. You talked to Adam?” 

“Yes, he is coming in a couple of weeks.  I wanted to make sure Danny was available.  Hannah can’t make it.  She is too involved with med school.”

Brian nodded as if to dismiss him but it wasn’t going to be that easy.

“What did I do now, Brian?  Dan used to explain your actions to me when I didn’t understand something but I don’t have him anymore. Do I mourn wrong? How am I pissing you off now?”

Brian turned and drilled a hole through Marcus with his eyes, “Keep your hands off Sunshine.”  Brian pivoted but had only taken a step when Marcus stopped him dead in his tracks.

“You know Justin will only ever love you.  I have lost my best friend.  I have lost the man I love and I will never love another like that but that doesn’t mean I can handle all of this alone.  How many times did you go to Dan with a problem?  I just need someone to talk to.  Please don’t make Justin choose because I know I would be the one to go and I just can’t do all this without him.” Now it was Marcus who turned and walked out leaving Brian to watch him go.   

Brian moved to the door and called out to stop him. “Marcus!” Brian moved toward the vehicle he stood by.

“Brian, I don’t have the energy to go over this….”

Brian moved up to him, the open door between them.  “Marcus…” Brian reached to the top of the car door and put one hand on top of Marcus’. He took a deep breath. “I’m sorry. I …. I just miss him so much and seeing you reminds me of him. I can’t imagine how much you miss him.  You know I always want control and…  You were the best thing that happened to Dan.  He said that all the time.  Just remember, I feel the same way about Sunshine.” Marcus stepped around the car door and hugged him.

“Brian, I could never forget that but more importantly, Justin would never let me. I will make sure you both get all the details about Adam.  I think it would be good for the two of you to come for lunch or dinner one of the days he is here.”  After a quick kiss and another hug, Marcus sat down.  Brian shut the door and Marcus drove toward the barn.

When Marcus rushed into the barn Justin stood and using a cane to move faster, rushed to meet him.  “What's wrong?” Justin put a hand on his arm.

Marcus wrapped his arms around Justin and kissed him.  “He finally talked to me, I  mean really talked to me!”

“What? Who? What are you talking about?”

“Let’s sit so you don’t have to just stand here.” They walked over to a bench near the door and sat down.  “I stopped by the house looking for you and Brian first gave me the normal threat but when I turned and left the house he followed me.  Brian said he was sorry.  He actually reached out and showed he was still missing him as much as I am.  He hugged me.  I know Brian will still be Brian but we have finally gotten through.” 

Justin moved over and kissed him. Marcus felt relief flow from him.  “Thank god. I really didn’t know what else to try with him.” 

“Excuse me, Justin, I don’t mean to interrupt but I need you to look at that joint before I move on.” 

“No problem, come and take a look at this.  Kevin is very talented.” The three walked toward the sculpture.  After Justin checked what Kevin had done and Marcus talked to Kevin about his work, Marc and Justin walked back to where Justin had been sitting when Marcus arrived.  “Marc, why were you coming to see me in the first place?”

“Oh, I forgot in all the excitement.  I talked to Adam.  He will be coming in a couple weeks.  I told Brian I want the two of you to spend some time with him too.  I think you both have stories from before we were married that would be interesting to Adam.”

“Did Brian sound open to that?”

“He didn’t reject the idea.  I told him I would get you details once Adam knows exactly when he will get here.  I know I only talked to him a very short time but I liked him.  I am excited to meet him.”  Marcus touched Justin’s leg and even though he knew it hadn’t hurt him, Justin jumped. “Justin, what’s going on with your leg? It hasn’t gotten any better.”

“I’d rather not talk about it.”

“I wouldn’t be your friend if I didn’t ask.”

“Kevin, that’s not the way you do that!” Justin snapped.  Grabbing his cane he pushed passed Marcus and walked toward a surprised Kevin.    Marcus knew he had been dismissed.  He was glad he and Brian had mended fences.  He was stopping by there again before going home.  As he walked out he heard Justin apologizing to Kevin for his tone.    

Marcus returned to the main house to find Brian reading on the front porch.   “I knew you would be back.  He shut you down about his leg, didn’t he?”

Marcus was surprised, “Yes, how did you know?”

“It’s my Sunshine.  He is getting scared.  It isn’t getting better.”

“So what is he doing about it?”

“He has an appointment at the end of the week.  He doesn’t know that yet.  I changed the date and he is going to be pissed but I know he would just stress  more about it. I will tell him the night before that we are going somewhere.  If he pushes me I’ll tell him but if I can slip it passed him I wll.  I hate to lie to him but it is for his own peace of mind and his own health.”

“I know everything you do for Justin is what you think is best.” Marcus smiled at him.

“Thanks for that.  I need to make sure he’s around longer than I am.  I know I am not strong enough to do this life on my own. And hell, he’d tell you to take care of me and we’d kill each other.” He laughed as he thought about it.

“Please let me know what happens and if he gets mad let me know and I will try to talk him down. I better get going I have some work to get done and ”

“Let us know when you have the details about Adam.”

“Now it is my turn to say thanks.” Marcus waved as he drove away.


After Justin had apologized to Kevin, he finished what he was working on and left the barn for the day.  Nico came down from his perch upstairs   and asked, “What was that all about? That is not like Justin at all.”

“Marcus asked about his leg.  I hope he does something about it.  It has definitely affected his personality.”

“Do you know what happened to his leg?” 

“All they told me we was it happened in the Outback.”

“And you settled for that?”

“No, I looked it up on the internet.  It’s a long story.  Why don’t you come to my place for dinner tonight and I will tell you the whole story over the amazing wine that is just there.” They both laughed.  “Do you know what time they are eating tonight?”

“I will be at your place about 7:15 or 7:30.  I will let you know when I’m on my way.  And chill plenty of wine.  I am off tomorrow so I can have a couple extra glasses of wine.  I’ll walk over and back.”

“Or use my sofa or share my bed.  No strings but if you are interested….It has been a long dry spell for me. Just throwing it out there but if you don’t want friends with benefits that is fine with me.  I’d love to hear about Italy and your childhood.”

“It’s a date.” Nico kissed both of Kevin’s cheeks before going to the house and start dinner for Brian and Justin.


Justin walked right past Brian without noticing him, “Sunshine?”

“Oh, Brian, sorry.   I …. I had a headache so I decided to come home.  I thought I would just relax for a while.”

Brian let him go in and get settled but after half an hour he followed him in.  He found him lying on the bed with his arm across his forehead. He sat on the edge and placed his hand on the farside of Justin’s waist.  “Sunshine?  What can I do for you?”  He wanted to ask him so many questions but he knew it wasn’t needed right now.

“Leave me alone?”

“That ain’t happening.”

“I figured. Then just hold me.  Don’t talk, just hold me.”

“My pleasure.”  Brian laid down and pulled him into his arms.  He kissed his cheek and stroked his arm until he felt his body relax and he slept.  And Brian laid there and worried about this beautiful man who owned his heart.  Twenty minutes later Brian, who had dozed off, woke to the feel of Justin’s lips on his.  

When Justin saw his eyes open, he softly said, “Thank you.”

“For what, Sunshine?”

“For just holding me.”

“Oh, my love, that is never a problem.”

Justin laughed, “You definitely have a problem not butting in but you know me well enough to know today wasn’t  the day to question.  I’m hungry.  Is it about dinner time?”

“I would guess it will be ready any time,” Brian rolled over, pinning Justin to the mattress and they kissed in a way only old lovers can.  When Brian moved back a bit, he said, “Now we can go check on dinner.”  

It was Justin’s turn to flip Brian and pin him down and they repeated the last action.  Justin smiled at him, “Now, we can go to dinner.”                     


Nico arrived at 7:20.  He had put on a pair of floral pants and a deep rose shirt.  When Kevin opened the door, he nearly began to drool.  He knew Nico was good looking but he was stunning in that color.  He had a bag over his shoulder when he walked in and then tossed it behind the sofa.  “God, it smells good in here.  What are we having?” he walked to the stove and stirred what was in the pan. As Kevin walked up beside him he turned and kissed Kevin’s cheek.  “I needed tonight.” 

“Why don’t you look in the fridge and pull out a bottle of wine.  The corkscrew is on the counter.”  

Nico pulled out a bottle and began to open it.  “So, tell me about Justin’s leg.  They were in the Outback or was it just Justin.”

“The article I read said they were on an extended vacation and they were going to be glamping but on the second night out, the jeep they were in driven by the guide crashed and the guide was killed.  They were lost out there for a long time, like a month.  They both nearly died and although Brian had some injuries, Justin almost lost his leg.  I found some art gallery’s blog that followed his recovery.” Kevin served up the food onto plates and they sat side by side at the counter bar. Nico poured the wine for each of them before Kevin finished, “It’s really been bothering him.”

“I know he has an appointment scheduled but I also overheard Brian rescheduling it for next week.” Nico said as he reached over and wiped off some sauce in the corner of his mouth. He then licked off his finger.  “This is very good.  Thanks for inviting me and thanks for telling me.  That explains a lot.  It makes sense why he is snapping a bit.  He did apologize, didn’t he?”

“Yes, and that was so out of character.  He is not going to be happy that Brian changed his appointment,” Kevin said as he realized how close Nico was to him. He stood up nearly knocking over his stool, “Can I get you more? There's more or we could have dessert.  Would you like dessert or would you like to wait?” As Kevin’s attention was on the pan, he didn’t notice Nico walk up behind him until he felt the arms come around his waist. And then he felt lips on his neck.

“I am good with waiting.  Do you think we can find something to watch?” As Kevin turned, Nico left one arm around his waist.  “What kind of movies do you like? There is a new horror movie that just came out.”

“As long as you don’t mind holding my hand.”


“Gus, if Trenton is doing well enough to live there alone, why does he need you to be there so much?”

“Shel, I just came home an hour later than normal.  Pen needed some supplies and he doesn’t feel comfortable driving yet.”

“And he couldn’t have it delivered? The man is a millionaire.  Hell, he could hire someone to take care of him.”

“Come on, Shelby.  He can’t help the fact his emotions are still off balance.”

“Well, if you know he isn’t really in need just tell him you’ll have something sent over or…”

“Shelly, please!  He moved in here when we needed him.”

“Oh, and that was my fault, wasn’t it.”

“Shelby, of course it wasn’t your fault.  I am just saying that he was willing to help us out for months.  

“I need to get out of here for a while.”  She grabbed her keys. “I’ll be home by midnight.”  

“If you’re just leaving I could have stayed with Pen!” As it came out of his mouth he knew he shouldn’t have said it but it was too late now.

Shelby drove to a spot on the property and watched the sun finish setting and then the tears began to flow. She didn't know why after all these years she was having problems but she wasn’t sure she could do this anymore. Did Gus really need her anymore? The kids were out of the house.  They both had their jobs.  She even spent some time with baby Gabe.  She knew he loved her but what if, because Trent needed him, he decided to…. Had she really hit the age where she had no purpose?  Her head fell on the steering wheel.  

By the time she lifted her head it was completely dark.  She had been sitting here for three hours. She moved on, unsure where she was going. She traveled along some of the vineyard lanes and then she heard a noise and sighed. She looked down and saw the needle on E.  Shit!  Shit, shit, shit! She got out of her car and looked around.  She would just walk home and worry about the car in the morning.  As she walked she realized she was really tired.  Not only mentally but physically.  She decided she would take the road that passed Brian and Justin’s If they had lights on she would borrow the four wheeler to take her home.

Justin and Brian had gone to bed around 10:00 but after they had made love, Justin had fallen asleep but Brian was restless.  He slipped out of bed and after putting on a robe he grabbed a bottle of Jack and went out to the front porch.  He sat in the swing as he sipped out of the bottle.  His mind was on Justin but he realized he heard footsteps.  He expected to see Nico on the path that went through the vineyard but instead he saw someone coming up the road.  It was too dark to see who it was but as it came closer he heard something and soon he realized it was sobbing. It was a woman. Shit, it was Shelby!  Brian couldn’t move as fast as he wanted to in his slippers but he met her on the road and she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck and cried. 


By the time the movie ended, Kevin and Nico were sharing a blanket to hide under.  Kevin started getting up but Nico held him in place, “What is the hurry?”

“I thought you would want dessert.”

Nico looked at him, “I do.” He took the front of Kevin’s shirt and pulled him slowly toward him.  Kevin nearly propelled himself against Nico’s chest and as their lips met, Kevin was already trying to get both of them to their feet. 

“Upstairs,” Kevin managed to get out as he was already grabbing at Nico’s clothes.  

“Slow down.  American’s always in a rush.  I plan to take it very slow.” He kissed Kevin, probing with his tongue as Kevin’s own tongue flirted with it.  They were both out of breath when the separated.  “Bag, I need my bag.”    He grabbed the bag and together they hurried up the steps.       


Brian guided Shelby to the house.  He had her sit on the swing and handed her the bottle of  whiskey before grabbing a blanket out of a bin and wrapping it around her. He sat next to her and pulled her close.  “Sweetheart, what is it?  Where did you come from?  Did you have an accident?”

She tipped the bottle back and then shook her head. “I ran out of gas.”

“Were you coming home from somewhere? I know you came past after work.  I didn’t see you leave again, not that we watch you come and go.”

“Gus and I had a fight.  I just went to ride around for a while.  Brian, I don’t know if I can do this anymore.”

“Do what, Shelby?”

“I just can’t share him anymore.  Trenton just wants more and more of him.  Why would he need me anymore? If Trenton keeps calling him, he is just going to stay.”

“Oh, no, love.  Gus loves you too much.  Trenton has had a major health scare.  Gus wants to be there for him while he recovers but he knows where he belongs.  He couldn’t live without you.  You share children and grandchildren.  Your relationship goes so deep.  He knows where home is.”  As Brian watched Shelby take another swallow of the Jack he realized everything he just said is something Dan would have said to him and had more than once.  Why did he still stress over Justin.  It wasn’t like he went out chasing young ass.  Marcus had been in their lives for more than thirty years.  Marcus would always be a part of their lives but he was no real threat unless he made him one.

“Brian, my head tells me you’re right but my heart is carrying on a battle.  I think it is because Trenton’s personality has changed so much.”

“And it may stay that way but Gus will understand he may need to set new parameters to the relationship. Just give it a little more time.”

Shelby took a deep breath, “Thanks Brian, there has just been so much going on and…. When did I get old enough to be a grandmother.  I love that little boy so much.  I don’t know why it bothers me.”

Brian smiled at her, “Because you’re a woman.” He kissed her.  “Does Gus know where you are?”

“I just left and told him I would be home by midnight.”

“Well, let me grab you keys to my car and you give me your keys.  We’ll take care of your car tomorrow.  We’ll switch back tomorrow night.  Don’t worry, Shelby.  He knows where he belongs.”

“Thank you, Dad.  I love you.”

“Oh, I love you, too, girl.” He hugged her and gave her a kiss and then watched her drive away.

“Brian, what’s going on?” Justin came out leaning on the cane in his hand. “Who just drove away in your car?”

“It was Shelby. Let’s go to bed and I will tell you all about it.”


Shelby glanced at the clock in the car.  It was about 12:15. If Gus had stayed at the house, he would be really worried.  And if he had left, she couldn’t blame him.  She wasn’t sure he had ever been that angry but under the anger she saw confusion, too.  She had put Gus in a place that she knew was beyond his ability to choose.  Telling Gus to choose was like making her decide which of her children she loved the most.  

As she pulled up to the house, Gus rushed out, “Dad, what is it do you know where Shel…. Oh, thank god.” Gus yanked the door open and pulled her into his arms.  “I was so worried.  I was afraid that you… I said things… I didn’t mean I would ever stay at Trenton's. I know it hasn’t been easy.  I promise I won’t come home late again.  If he needs me to stop unplanned I will leave work early.  I…”

Shelby stopped his babbling by kissing him.  She felt him relax and the physical attraction they still had for each other became obvious.  “I’m sorry, Gus.  I shouldn’t have started this at all.  I know Trenton doesn’t mean any of this.  For almost 20 years he has been a part of this marriage and made it clear he believed our family came first but personalities change after a stroke. If he needs more now, I still need you, too.”

“I’m sorry if I have been neglecting you.  Honestly, I am torn,” they walked to the house together.  “By the way, why are you in Pop’s SUV?”

“I ran out of gas. What are you torn about?”

“I don’t want you to be hurt in all this but I know Pen has moments of fear about getting his speech back. He has many uncertain moments, yet, but I can see him getting better in many ways.”  He made her a cup of her favorite tea as she sat on a stool by the counter.  “Tell me about your adventure tonight.  Why didn’t you call me?”  He set the cup of tea in front of her and stood behind her with his arms around her.                        

“I was afraid I’d find out you had gone back to his house.  I couldn’t blame you if you did.  You came home and I left.”

“I have been going crazy here.  You’ve been gone over four hours.” He nuzzled her neck.  “I love you, Shelly.  I don’t want you to ever doubt that.”

“It isn’t just you and Trent.  I just feel like so many things have changed.” She yawned.  “Will you join me in a bath?”  

Gus kissed her softly.  “I’ll go start the water. Then you can tell me where you've been.”

Ten minutes later, Shelby felt Gus’ heart beating under her ear. Gus ran his hands over her breasts and then he began to rub her nipples between his fingers. “Your body is still so amazing. I don’t know how you could ever think I wouldn’t want or need you anymore.” He kissed her neck and then said,  “Where’d you go?”   

“I went up to that spot that has the amazing sunsets.  Of course, I was crying too hard to see it.”

“Oh Shelly,” Gus nuzzled her neck.

“After the sun went down I just drove some of the back roads but then I ran out of gas.  I was on the edge of the property.  It was a long walk and as I walked I pictured you with Trent and I know you love….” She took in a deep breath as Gus moved a hand from one of her breasts to her clit.  “I know you love him and pictured at his house and I didn’t blame you.”  She turned so Gus could kiss her and her whole body shivered as a gentle orgasm ran through her body. “Well, Brian was on the porch.  We talked.  He can be an ass but he is a genuine, caring, lovable ass. Anyway, he said they would take care of my car tomorrow and I will use his car to go to work and we can switch back then.”

“What did you talk about ...with Pops?”

“Nothing and everything. What are you going to do if Trenton doesn’t get better? If he stays so unpredictable?”

”The doctor says it could be days or months for him to come back but he may never come back to my sweet Pen.”  Gus’ voice trailed off as he thought about the gentle man he was in love with. 

“I know you are hurting, too.  That’s what made me feel so bad when I pulled myself together. Do you think we can still make love in the bathtub?”

“I think we definitely should find out.”


“So, what was Shelby doing here without a car so late at night?” Justin asked as he pressed against Brian’s long body and kissed him.

“She is just working through a few things and this Trent situation is hard on her. She had taken a ride for some air and ran out of gas.  I told her we would go get the car tomorrow.”

“I have been worried about them.  I know the love is there but the Trenton situation has to be putting stress on all of them.”

“Yes, but they’ll make it. I have no doubt they’ll work it out.”

“I agree and we’ll be here while they work through it.  Now, we need to sleep. Well, at least I do.” Justin snuggled up to Brian and he instinctively pulled him in close.  


Nico and Kevin looked at the stars through the skylight above the bed. “I think you have done that a few times.”  Kevin said as his fingers ruffled the hair on Nico’s chest.

“I am Italian, what did you expect? And you are no novice.” He brought his palm to his mouth and kissed it.  “So do you think our hosts are as beautiful as I do?”

“They are every gay boys fantacy at one point or another.  Those paintings Justin did of the two of them…..they were stunning.  They still are in a more mature way.”

“I know I would let either of them fuck me all day long, although my guess is they have slowed a bit.”

“Yes, but their passion is still so evident,” Kevin’s hand moved down to Nico’s growing cock.  

“I have read that Justin was in high school and Brian used to sleep with hundreds of men a year.”

Kevin moved and brought his mouth to Nico’s nipple and bit lightly. “Do you think they ever made home movies?”

“I don’t know but I can promise you I will be looking while I clean.” With that Nico flipped Kevin and pinned him to the mattress as he put one of his legs up on his shoulder.  


Shelby and Gus were up with the sun but both of them felt a little lighter.  They both agreed Gus would have dinner with Trenton tonight so they could have a conversation.  When he arrived Pen met him at the door. “I am so glad you are here. I was worried you weren’t coming.” All of this spilled out of the tablet.Gus bought for him that was made specifically to speak for someone.

“First of all, Pen,” he kissed his lover, “I make my own decisions but Shelby does understand.  Yes, she is struggling with this but she loves you and me.” He slipped an arm around Trenton and they walked into the house.  “Something smells good.  You have been cooking.”

“For my love,” Pen struggled to get it out.

“Did your therapist come today?”

“Canceled.  Headache.” He typed into his tablet.

“Trenton, you can’t cancel that.  It is important to you getting back to normal.”

“I”m normal!” the tablet spewed.

“Oh, Pen, I didn’t mean it that way.  I just mean I know how much you hate feeling reliant on others and if you cancel therapy that isn’t going to happen.”  Gus looked over and Pen and saw tears rolling down his cheeks.  “Oh, Trenton,” Gus wrapped his arms around him.

“Sorry, Gussy,” he stumbled through the words.

“I know you hate this.  I do.  Is dinner ready?  I do need to go home tonight but we have time for a nice dinner.”

After dinner, they had a conversation, well Gus talked.  He asked Trent to not cancel any more therapy sessions.  Trenton promised he wouldn’t but Gus knew no matter what he said, he may forget it tomorrow. 

“I really should go now,” Gus kissed him.

“Half hour?”  the tablet asked.

“I think we can find something to do for thirty minutes.” They were on the sofa and soon they were laying side by side and the next minute, Gus was sound asleep.   

It was after midnight when Gus woke up, “Oh, shit!  I have to get out of here.  Shelby is going to be furious! Damn!” Gus was pulling on his shoes and rushing to straighten his clothes. “This can’t happen.  I love you but I can’t risk my marriage for you.”  Gus saw Trenton crumble at his words.

“Oh, Pen, I am so sorry.  It isn’t your fault.  I have to get out of here.  I will text in the morning.”  With that Gus rushed out of the house.


Shelby was understanding, knowing neither of them had gotten much sleep last night and she just kissed him goodnight when he fell into bed.  As they got ready for work in the morning, Gus texted Pen with no response.  Gus told her how he scared awake and said things he shouldn’t.  The old Trent would shrug it off but he hoped he hadn’t taken it to heart.

As the day went on Gus texted Trent several times with no response.  He finally called his dads.  “Hey, Gus, what’s up?”

“Pops, do you have time to run to Trent’s?”

“Sure, what’s up?”

“I’m not sure.  That’s the problem. I fell asleep there last night and left about midnight.  I said a couple things the old Trent would have shrugged off but …..I have been trying to get ahold of him all day and he hasn’t responded.”

“I’ll drive over and call or text when I talk to him.”

“Thanks, Pops.”


Brian stopped by the barn and saw Justin leaning on a chair as he painted on a huge canvas.  He pulled him into his arms not caring if he got paint on him or not.  Kevin and Nico both watched the mature men embrace.  Kevin smiled up at him and quickly went back to work as the men separated.  Brian told Justin what he was up to and then he was gone.

Brian drove up to Trenton’s house.  He made note he should try to stop by at least once a week.  He could see he might get lonely up here even though he knew Trent was very private.  He walked to the house and knocked.  There was no answer. He walked around the house and looked in windows and tried the doors.  He was afraid if he did more he would set off his alarm system.  He called Gus, “Gus, he’s not answering the door.  Is there a way I can get into the house?”

“Just a second,” moment’s later he said, “I disarmed the system.  Where are you?”

“I’m by the French doors into the living room.” He barely had the words out and he heard a click on the door. 

“I just opened the door with my app.  I’m staying on until you let me know you found him napping in his room.” Gus was no longer relaxed.  What was going on.  He could hear Brian walk around the house. 

It seemed like hours rather than minutes when Brian came back on the phone, “Gus, he’s not here.  It appears he packed a suitcase and left.”

“Left!  Pops where would he go?”

“I’m not sure, son, but he isn’t here and there isn’t a note.  I checked.”

“Oh, god, Pops, look around.  I yelled last night.  It upset him.  What if he….”

 

Brian looked around the house, “Daniel’s where did you go? If you hurt my son you’ll pay for it.  If you didn’t kill yourself I might just do it for you!”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  


Chapter 11 by Simply written

Chapter 11


Brian waited at the house until Tyler arrived. Brian explained what was going on and by the time Gus arrived Tyler had already gotten into Trenton’s tablet. Brian saw the look on Gus’ face and met him at the door. He put his arms around him and held him tightly.  “Don’t jump to any conclusions.  Hold it together.  Tyler needs your help.”

Gus held onto his dad tightly for a moment and then took a deep breath before stepping back.  “What do you need me to do, Tyler?”

“Hey, Gus, will you look around and just let me know what is missing?”

Gus walked around the bedroom and found  a small suitcase missing along with his toiletries and some clothes, although he wasn’t sure how much.  He did see the silk pajamas and robe he had given him on his last birthday were gone.  He knew Trent wore this most nights he wasn’t here.  He came back out to the main room and he realized what else was missing, “Where is his tablet? Have you seen his computer?  He puts everything into his computer.”

“It isn’t here.  The tablet looks like it is new?” Taylor asked.

“Yes, he used it for speaking. I didn’t see him use it for anything else.  His computer is his life.” Brian put his arm around his son. “Where is he? It’s a good sign he took his pajamas isn’t it?  I mean that means he just went somewhere to sleep.”  

“Why don’t the two of you head home.  If I have any questions I’ll give you a call but there is nothing you can do here?”  

Gus stepped the door ahead of Brian. “Oh, Gus, I need to grab something.  I’ll follow you home.” Brian went back to Tyler, “Gus is thinking taking the pajamas is a good thing but I don’t think that’s right.”

“Dan rubbed off on you.  It might be a good thing but it could also just be the favorite thing he wants with him when…”

“That’s how I saw it.”

“Assure Gus I’ll do my best.” Tyler said as Brian walked out the door.

“I know you will, Tyler.”


Shelby had just arrived home and started dinner.  She hoped it was just a quiet night for the two of them. She hummed as she poured a glass of wine.  She heard her phone ping and smiled thinking it would be Gus telling her he was on the way home.  She reached for it and looked and then stopped the humming. “Shelby, I am sorry for the trouble I have been causing you. You don’t deserve it. Tell Gus not to look for me but please keep an eye on my house.  I will be back when I am back to normal.  Please tell him….” Trenton’s text arrived and she waited for the remainder of it but nothing more came.  She tried texting him back and a message popped up that the phone was no longer in service.  What was going on? Shelby wondered.  She started texting Gus but then she heard his truck pull up.

He rushed into the house with a look on his face she could only call it shock.  She walked over and hugged him.  She didn’t know what was going on but she was sure it had to do with Trenton. “Gussy, what is it? What’s going on?”

“Trenton has disappeared. He hasn’t answered me all day. I told you I yelled at him last night.  He took some of his stuff and he’s gone.”

“Gus, I was just texting you.  He just texted me.”

“What? Why didn’t you….” he took a deep breath.  “I’m sorry, Shel, may I see the message?” Shelby handed him her phone and put her arms around his slim waist.  “Did you text him back? Why did it stop right there?”

“Gussy, I tried texting him back immediately and you can see it says the phone is disconnected.” Shelby kissed him and held him close.  I’m sorry.  I have been putting stress on both of you. What are we going to do?”

“Tyler’s already looking.”


Brian stopped by the barn and whispered to Justin and they moved to the door.  Justin said to the two young men at different ends of the barn.  “Don’t plan on us for dinner.” Leaning on  Brian, they walked out of the barn.

Nico flew down the steps and over to Kevin.  “What is going on?” 

“I don’t know.  When Rage stopped by earlier…”

“Rage?”

“Well, probably 45 years ago Justin did a cartoon about him and it was called Rage…” Kevin  smiled.  “Sexiest cartoon ever written.”

“I have got to see that and Rage does fit him.”

“Anyway, it has to do with their son, Gus but I didn’t hear what the problem was.”

“Well, Since I have dinner already started in the house, you may as well eat with me and maybe….” Nico whispered, “We can look for some movies.”

Kevin giggled, “I like the way you think.” Nico kissed him and grabbed his ass.  I wonder what it’s like to make love in that bed of theirs.”  They both smiled now, “Well, maybe not tonight but some time…”

“You know if Brian is Rage man what is Jusitn’s codename?”

“I think Monet.  Not only is his work beautiful, so is he and many of Monet’s paintings were just a bit out of focus and I feel like Justin is unfocused right now.”

“Rage and Monet.  Sounds good to me!” Nico smiled.  “Come to the house in an hour?”

“I’ll be there.


Justin and Brian entered Gus and Shelby’s house.  “We don’t need to be here if you don’t want us to be but we thought you might like a little  company.”

The four settled in for a long evening.


Nico and Kevin talked as they ate dinner.  They talked about the Rage comic series and looked at it on Nico’s laptop set between them.  “Wow, he is gorgeous, even as a cartoon.”

“And sexy as hell.” Kevin responded to Nico.  

“I really don’t think we should dig for their personal movies tonight but I know there are plenty of others to watch. And I promise, I will keep an eye open for anything while I’m cleaning.

“That sounds smart.  Let me help you clean up.  It is always more fun with help.


Brian and Justin went home after hearing from Tyler.  He had agents checking out the airports and taxi services in the area and he would be in contact as soon as he heard from any of them.

When Brian and Justin arrived home, Kevin had already gone home and Nico was in his room.  Justin laid down with a sigh.  “Hurting worse tonight?”  Brian asked as he gently rubbed his leg, letting his hand graze his cock every few strokes.  He felt Justin relaxing.  “Sunshine, tomorrow we have to be in town for an appointment at 10:00.”

“Did Tyler tell you something you didn’t tell me?”

“No this doesn’t have anything to do withTrenton.”

“What is it? Do we have to meet with the bankers or something?”

“Justin, the specialist is coming into town to look at your leg.”

“What the hell, Brian?” Justin jerked away. “I had a couple weeks left.”

“Left to what, Sunshine?” He reached for his hand and refused to let it go.  “Left to suffer.  Left to worry.  I know you are scared. So am I but the anticipation is only making it worse.”  Brian felt the fight drain out of him.

“Bri, what if….what if they say they have to take my leg? What if I can’t walk anymore?”

Brian wrapped his long arms around Justin and Justin slumped against him.  “We will see what they say and you can decide but you know I will always be here.  I will never leave your side. Whatever you choose, we will do this together but we are going to find out sooner rather than later.”

Justin didn’t respond verbally but his lips sought out Brian’s and they fell asleep pressed tightly against each other.


Tyler called Gus and Shelby first thing in the morning to let them know an Uber driver picked up Trenton yesterday morning about 11:00 and dropped him off in the center of town.  He was going to have an agent go to that area and check around as soon as stores are open and another agent is already following up on calls made yesterday about transportation out of the area.  Shelby was surprised but thankful when Gus said he was going into work.

“Shel, I will drive myself crazy sitting here and worrying.  I have to believe he ….. Shit, as far as I know he just went away to end his life but I can’t believe that.  I just know I would feel if he wasn’t here anymore.  I…”

Shelby hugged him and then kissed him.  “Call me if you need me and, Gussy, please stay in the office today.  I know you will be too distracted to be on a build site.”

“I’ll be at the office.  Can we have lunch together?”

“I would love that.  Can I let you know a time after I check what is up at the office?”

“Talk to you soon,” Gus said as he walked out the door.


Justin hadn’t slept much  By 4:00 a.m. he left the bedroom and went to the kitchen.  He started making some homemade bread. As the dough rose he sauteed some chopped apples with caramel and walnuts. 

“Justin, what are you doing up so early?” When Nico spoke Justin jumped.  “I’m sorry,” he put a hand on Justin’s shoulder and spontaneously kissed his cheek. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“I just couldn't sleep.  I thought I’d make homemade rolls with a caramel apple filling.”

“Should you be on your feet this long?” He brought a stool around the counter for Justin.

“Thank you.  It is starting to bother again.  I am about to roll it out and then I will sit.”

“Could I try? I have never made bread.  It is something I have always wanted to try.”

“Sure, go for it.”  Justin gave him a couple directions as Nico rolled it out and then spread out the filling.  Once the dough was rolled and sliced they put it in a warm oven to let them rise.  

Justin handed him a cup of coffee and they sat side by side sipping coffee.  “Justin, I know it is none of my business but do you want to talk about it?”

“Brian lied to me.  He called the specialist in and he will be here today.”

“I know you have been suffering.  Maybe he is right.”

“Fuck, I know he’s right. I just wanted to put off the inevitable.”

“What is your fear? What do you think the doctor will say?”

“My worst fear is he will say that amputation is the best option. I know I am being vain, especially at my age. I have the world’s best husband who has always been by my side when I need him the most.”

“And you know he always will be. You know Brian is gorgeous no matter how old he is.”

“Well, in his day he would have been all over you, too.”

“Did you play a lot?”

Justin had to laugh, “We did more than our share and it hasn’t been all smooth sailing but it has been a very long time since we played.”

“Why would you need someone else when you have the best?”  Nico smiled at him.

“I think the rolls are ready to bake.” He started  to stand but Nico patted his hand.  “I got this.” He walked around to the oven and put the rolls in the pre-heated oven. 

“Set the time for 20 minutes. Then I will check on them.”

“I will make some lovely, salty bacon to go with those sweet rolls and then you can decide if you want eggs or something else.”  As he started the bacon he continued to chat.  “So in your play days did you take pictures or do movies?”

“Oh, Nico, I think we did pretty much everything but we never did too much on camera.  We did enough.”

“Do you still have them?”  Nico tried not to sound too excited.

Justin smiled, “If I didn’t know better I would think you would like to see some of our homemade porn.”

“Are you flattered or upset?”

“Oh, Nico, you are good for my soul”  Justin hugged him.

“Your soul better be all he’s good for.” Brian physically moved Nico out of the way and moved his lips to Justin’s  “You weren’t there when I woke up.” The kiss was slow and so sensual Nico felt his dick respond.  “You’ve been up a while.”

“Couldn’t sleep so I baked rolls.  They will  be done in a few minutes along with the candied bacon Nico made.”

“Shit, you know I can’t run it off anymore.”

“You don’t need to worry about that.  I might have to learn to walk on a new leg so…”

“Don’t jump to any conclusions. We’ll know soon enough.  Oh, by the way, Gus says they have a lead.  They know where Daniels was dropped off yesterday morning.  They are trying to follow that up this morning.”

“How is Gussy?”

“I’m proud of him.  He is going into work.  He said he just couldn’t sit at home.”

“That’s good.  He would drive himself crazy if he was home.”

“Yes, he said he doesn’t know anything for sure but in his heart he knows he is alive somewhere.”

“Shelby will always be there for him but I can’t imagine Trenton…..the real Trenton wouldn’t do anything but if the stroke is affecting him….”

“Excuse me, Justin? Did you want this caramel glaze drizzled over them.”

“Yes, that is exactly what I was planning.”

“Would you like eggs?” Nico asked his employers.

“None for me,” Justin replied while Brian shook his head.

“Nico, we won’t be here for lunch so don’t worry about us.  I am taking my sexy husband out for lunch.”

“I would show him off if he was my husband.” Nico smiled as he passed out the bacon and the rolls and then refilled their coffee cups with the carafe he had made.

“Join us, Nico.  You helped make them.”

“Thank you.  All I did was assemble but I would love to try one of these.”

The three men chatted and drank coffee and soon they had all eaten a second one and the bacon was gone.  

Brian and Justin went to their room to get ready to go.  As they dressed, Justin said, “I think Nico and Kevin are curious.”

“Curious about what?”

“About you and me in the good old days.”

“It’s not like the world hasn’t seen the paintings of us.”

“It wouldn’t surprise me if that is why they want to see more.”

“Why the hell would I care if they saw us or not. You haven’t gotten shy all the sudden, have you?”

“I was hoping you would say that.  I wouldn’t mind them knowing I wasn’t always an old gimpy man that can’t stand by the counter anymore.”

“What are you going to do? Hand him the box of our personal porn and say, ‘here ya’ go’?”

“Of course not!  That would ruin the fun he and Kevin are going to have thinking they are pulling something over on us.  I will leave it ‘hidden’ when I know they will find it.”

“I like having those boys around.  Nico is doing a great job and I think he might be a bit lonely up here without Kevin.”

“I agree.  They make me feel young again.” Justin kissed Brian and grabbed his crotch.  “Too bad we can’t show them the way we used to.”

“I might be able to still get it up but you’re right, I’m not up to that anymore.”  Brian pulled him close once more and kissed him before saying.  “Sunshine, I love you and no matter what the doctor says and you decide I will never leave your side.”

“Thank you, Brian.  I know I am going to need your help.  You know I go into panic mode so you will need to guide me.”

“I will be there whatever you need.”  Brian offered his hand and Justin took it as he led him toward the car.  

“Justin?” Nico walked up to him and kissed his cheek. He crossed himself.  “I may not go to Mass as often as Mother would like me to but I’m going to light a candle as soon as you leave and say a prayer for you.”

“Thanks, Nico.” Justin gave him a hug.  “Oh, by the way.  Could you check the sheets in the guest room.  Maybe put fresh ones on it in case Adam stays here.  The sheets are in the linen closet in the hall.”

With that Brian and Justin left.  As they pulled out of the drive Brian smirked at Justin.  “Let me guess, you stored the box of pictures and dvds in that closet?”

“Someone has to have a fun day.”


Two hours later Justin was redressed and they sat in a private office waiting for the doctor to review the tests and give them the options they had.  “Brian, maybe I did just push myself farther than I should have in Seattle.  I knew it would probably be my last big adventure.  I knew I was hurting myself.  I felt it.”

“You can rethink it all you want but I know you wouldn’t have changed a moment of that.”

“You’re right.” Justin kissed Brian just as the door opened.

“Well, I was going to apologize for taking so long but I can see you found something to occupy your time.” He smiled over at Justin.  “I know you aren’t in the mood for jokes.  You have been in pain for weeks and you don’t know what’s going on.  I hope I can at least answer some of your questions.”

“Doc, just give it to us straight.  What are our top two or three options.” Brian was almost more tense than Justin.  He held Justin’s hand as the doctor started talking.

“I know we have discussed the most drastic option, but I hope you will be relieved that I think we have a couple better options. Obviously time has not healed  the new injury.  I am sure you are not excited about another surgery however, techniques have changed and improved in the last twenty years.  I feel your best option is to have surgery and we can get rid of a lot of scar tissue and then we can reinforce your muscle with artificial muscle that was not ready to use twenty years ago.”

“How long will that lay me up? And is it a permanent fix or am I going to have to worry again in a few years?”

“I can’t promise you you won't have any pain. I don’t know anyone over 50 who doesn’t have some pain and anyone who has had an injury  like yours is going to have stiffness but what I can say is that his should feel better than it has in a couple years.”

“What other option does he have,” Brian asked as he put a protective arm around Justin.

“I can go in and just clean out the scar tissue.  That will decrease the tightness and should help a bit with the pain.”

“It is obvious what you think he should do,” Brian remarked.

“I know the two of you don’t just sit around.  You enjoy being active.  But I can’t tell you what to do.  I am going to give you all the details for both options and the two of you can think about it.  I know your friends are doctors.  Let them look at everything.  Talk to them.  If they want to talk to me, I will put my personal cell on the paperwork.  Just let me know what you decide.”

They left the office and Brian didn’t say anything, waiting for Justin to let him know when he was ready to talk about it.  He drove to Wine and Design but instead of eating in the downstairs cafe area Brian ordered for them and led Justin up the backstairs to the apartment above.  No one was living there at the moment so Brian thought it would give them the privacy they needed, whether Justin wanted to talk or not.


Nico found the box with pictures and DVDs when he was pulling out fresh sheets.  He called Kevin, “Get that gorgeous ass of yours over here.”

“Nico, what is it?”

“I box full of movies and photos.  And the guys won’t be back for a couple hours.   We probably shouldn’t watch them right now but we need to get them over to your house and tonight….you, me, a bottle of wine and more hotness than either of us have witnessed.”

“I’ll be there in 5.”

Ten minutes later the two men were sitting on Nico’s bed, both digging through the small box. “Oh my god, this man is magnificent.” Nico was looking at a picture of Brian.

“Have you seen this one.  This man is perfect.  No wonder Brian calls him Sunshine.  Every part of him lights me up.” Kevin  began to rub his crotch.  He glanced over at Nico and he was obvious in the same situation.  He looked up and their eyes met.  Immediately they both stood up and started undoing the pants and within moments Kevin was thrusting into Nico hard and fast and ten minutes later they were walking out of Nico’s room.

Nico carried the box and handed it to Kevin. “Let’s meet at the barn tonight.  My computer there has the best features for what we need to do.  Take these there.  I will get them back in the house after we have saved them.”

Kevin stopped and kissed Nico playfully. “They are really as sexy as I imagined.”  

“Let’s not look at them too much tonight.  Let’s just get them saved and then this weekend we can have a movie marathon at your place.” Nico commented

“I’ll make sure I have lots of lube.  I think we are going to need it. Let me know what time you will be at the barn.”

“I will and I will bring you some dinner.”


Brian and Justin had barely made it upstairs when Justin turned into Brian’s arms and hung onto him.  “Woah, Sunshine, let’s sit down before we both fall down.” They walked over to the sofa and Justin instantly clung to him again. “What is it, Justin? What are you thinking about?”

“I was so sure he was going to say amputate but I still don’t know if I want to…. Oh, god, Brian, am I too old to think about a surgery like this? Or should I just have the scar tissue removed.  I don’t know if I want to…”

“Justin, you are too young to think you are old. Do you really think ok is good enough?  It is up to you, of course, but let’s have Danny and Elliott look over your records and see what they suggest.”

“I just don’t know if I want to go through the pain again.”

“Sunshine, I hate to tell you this but you are always going to have pain.We just aren’t young anymore but I know you can handle anything.” There was a tap on the door, “Come in.”

One of the wait staff from downstairs brought in a tray and set the food down.  “I will come and collect  the plates when I know you have gone.”

“Thank you.  It smells great.” Justin stood and leaned on Brian as they walked across the room.  “The food looked amazing and there was a box filled with several bitesize desserts they hadn’t ordered but they all looked amazing.

Brian changed the subject.  “So have you heard anything else about Adam’s visit?”  

“Marcus said he will arrive tomorrow.”

“He isn’t really staying at our house is he?”

“I told Marcus he could if he wanted to.  I thought better our place than his.”

“The man is rich.  He can’t get a hotel?”

“Of course he could but if it gets really late or if we have a little too much wine…”

“Ok, I guess I understand that.” They both worked their way through a salad and sandwich sharing both. Brian’s phone buzzed and he pulled it out.  “It’s Gus.  No word on Trenton.  He seems to be doing ok.  I’m a little worried that there may be a point when he just breaks like he did when Seth left.”

“He’s a lot older now.  And I think with Shelby, he will be alright but I hope we find him soon. Call Tyler and see if he really has found nothing.  He won’t tell Gus anything until he knows something for sure.” Justin kissed Brian.  “I’m going to call him.” He pulled out his phone and called his brother in law. “Tyler, hey Gus said you haven’t got anything yet?”

“Nothing for sure so I didn’t want to get his hopes up. After tracking his path yesterday and looking at surveillance cameras around town I think he may have taken a train somewhere.  We have two possible destinations. One train went north and one went south. I have already sent agents both directions.”

“Thanks, Tyler, and thanks for holding that back from Gus.  You know him well. Please keep Brian or me in the loop.”

“Always.  How are you doing, Justin? Molly said you have been having some real problems with your leg.”

“Tell my baby sister not to worry.  I saw my specialist this morning and tell her I will call her once we decide what we are going to do.”

“I will.  I am sure she will be calling you.” 

The call ended and Justin leaned against Brian.  “Can we go home? I didn’t sleep much last night and all of the sudden I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open.”

“Sure,” Brian pulled out a $100 bill and through it on the counter.

“Don’t forget those desserts.  I’m thinking that would be perfect tonight.  Do you mind if I invite Marcus over to eat?  Jed and Brennon are going to something at school and I think Marcus….

“Sunshine, that’s fine.  I do understand.  We’ll have Nico make something and then give him the night off.”

“I have a feeling he and Kevin have plans.”

“What? Watching the movies?”

“Oh, my guess is they are making copies tonight.”

“Copies? Do we want them to have copies?”

“I trust both of them and both of them have signed a non-disclosure.  If they say anything about us after they leave, they’re done and they know it. But, I don’t think they would anyway.  Both of those boys have great futures.  They aren’t going to be stupid.” Justin had taken the steps slowly but by the time he got to the bottom he was hurting.

“We should have eaten in Gus’ old office.”

“My whole body is tired today, not just my leg.  I’ll be fine after a nap.”

“I’ll hold your hand, or anything else you want me to hold once we get home.” 

“Bri, back in the day…..this time I really do need sleep.”  Justin texted Marcus as Brian drove them home.  “Marc will be over around 6:30.  He is just coming to eat because he has some things he wants to get together before  Adam comes tomorrow.  I think he is getting together pictures and I am sure that isn’t easy for him.”

Brian pulled the vehicle into the garage and then took Justin’s hand before he could step out. “Sunshine, if you get some rest and want to go home with him later and help get some things together you may.  I can only imagine what he is going through looking at their life together.”

“I will let him know that.  He may want to be alone.”

“Well, if he wants anyone it’s you.” Brian saw the bit of worry on Justin’s face.  “No, Sunshine.  I can understand that he needs his best friend now that Dan isn’t around.” Brian let go of his hand and they both got out of the car and Brian moved around to take Justin’s arm.  Ten minutes later, Nico had directions for dinner and Brian and Justin were in the room to take a nap.


Shelby and Gus met for a late lunch at his office.  As she walked in with a bag of food, she locked the door behind her. She set the bag down and started unbuttoning her blouse, Gus looked up from his desk and took in a sharp breath.  She was in a tight pencil skirt and high stilettos. 

“Oh, god, you are….” Gus met her halfway and instantly started pulling up her skirt as she pulled at his belt. Gus pushed the notebook he had been writing in off to the floor and soon Shelby was laying across it with her chest on the top as Gus entered her from behind.   It was only moments before she cried out and Gus joined her. As he leaned over her he softly said, “You are the most gorgeous woman I have ever met.”  

Soon they were both redressed and sat next to each other eating their lunch.  “I saw the message from Tyler,” Shelby commented.  “He didn’t text you more?”

“No,” Shelby saw him go somewhere else for a moment but then he was back. “I am sure Tyler will find him.  Dan taught him everything he knew and Tyler brought a lot of his own skill with him.  I just have to believe he will find Pen.”

“Gus, I am here for you. I am here for Trenton.  I didn’t cause any of this, did I?”

“Oh, Shelly, I’m the only one to take the blame.  I fell asleep and then snapped when I woke up. I don’t even know what I said as I ran out of the house.”

“Gus, it isn’t your fault.  If Trent was thinking normally how would he have reacted?”

“He would have shrugged it off and never thought about it.”

“Exactly, it was no one’s fault.  And when we find him, we will pull together anyway we have to.  If you need to go out there for a while I would understand.”

Gus wrapped his arms around her and kissed her, “You are so amazing.”  They finished lunch and Shelby stood to go back to work.  “Would you like to go to dinner tonight? Maybe dancing? You look too hot not to show you off.”

“Dinner sounds great.  Dancing? I don’t know how long I can keep these shoes on but I would love to eat at Wine and Design.  The food is always so good there now that George’s students cook there.”

“That sounds perfect.  Just let me know the time.” After a prolonged kiss at the door, Shelby walked out with a smile on her face.

Gus’ foreman walked in his office, “I could use a nooner like that.  Your wife is one hot lady! Of course I was talking about a nooner with my husband.”  Gus patted his back as they walked to the drafting table.


Nico texted Kevin, ‘I’ll be at the barn in 30 minutes’.  He set his phone down and just as the buzzer for the oven went off. He turned off the oven and went out to the patio with a tray of swordfish steaks.

Marcus arrived just as Brian and Justin walked down the steps. Justin gave Marcus a hug and then Brian did the same.  “Hell, don’t look so shocked,” he said as they separated. 

Marcus smiled, “Sorry, old habits.”

“Gentlemen, since it is such a lovely mild night I thought you might enjoy eating out here.  I’ll start the fire pit to add a little warmth as it gets cooler.”

“That sounds good,” Justin replied.  “If you want to go get the rest of the food together, we can watch the fish. I think I heard you mention going to have dinner with Kevin.”

“I’m in no rush but I did tell him I would bring him dinner.  If you don’t mind, he loved that pasta from the other night and there is ….”

“You are always welcome to our leftovers, unless we tell you something different.” Brian commented as he walked over to the grill.  “You two pour us some wine while the food is finished up.”

Justin poured wine for all of them and as they sipped it, he told Marcus about the doctor’s appointment.  “So what are you going to do?”

“I am still thinking about it.  I was so sure he would tell me the only solution was to take it off that I was surprised.  My first thought is to just have the scar tissue taken care of and….”  Brian made a noise over by the grill.  “You don’ t have to verbalize your thoughts, Brian Kinney.  You say it’s my choice but you…”

“Sunshine, it is your choice.”

“What is the other option?” Marcus asked and Justin told him more details.  “Well, Justin, talking to El and Junior sounds like a great idea but from what you’ve said, unless the boys think differently, I agree with Brian.”

“You’re supposed to be my best friend, Marc.”

“I am your best friend and that is why I want you to live a full life.”

Just then Nico walked out of the house with a tray of food and plates.  He quickly set the table and arranged the food just as Brian took the fish off the grill. Brian took his seat and Nico dished out the first servings for each of them.  

“Is there anything else I can do for you?  I didn’t make dessert because you said you brought some home.  I’ll bring that out before I leave.  Would you like me to turn down your bed before I leave?”

“I think we can manage that,” Brian laughed.  “I wonder how many beds….” Justin swatted him and then kissed him. 

“Nico, you go ahead and have dinner with Kevin.  We won’t need you again tonight so feel free to stay with Kevin as long as you like.” Justin continued, “I’ll be going to Marcus’ house for a while after dinner so Brian is in charge of cleanup.”

“Oh, don’t bother.  I will do it in the morning.  As long as the food is put away.”

“Go, have fun.  Are you two hanging out at the barn or Kevin’s?”

Nico looked a little nervous for a second, “I think we are staying at the barn.  He wanted to show me some of his work.”

“Ya, I bet he’ll show you…” Justin hit Brian again.

“Subtle, Brian. You are so subtle.” 

“No kiss this time?” Brian asked as he leaned over and kissed Justin this time.


Nico left and the three friends ate the meal.  “He is an amazing find.  Is all his food this good?”

“It really is.” Justin said and then the conversation skipped around as they ate.  As they ate dessert, he continued, “Marc, would you like me to come home with you? I know you were reviewing pictures for Adam tomorrow.”

“I don’t want to take you away.  I know you two have decisions to make.”

“We already talked about me helping you and I want to talk to your sons before I do more thinking about it.”

“Then I would love for you to be there.  I might need a little…” 

Brian got up and walked around to Marcus and hugged him tightly.  “I can’t imagine… Dan would be glad you are doing this.  He wanted to but he just couldn’t…”

“You did know about Adam,” Marc stated flatly.

“I didn’t know he had been in contact the last couple years but back after their father died, he talked to me.  He was hurt when Adam politely said he'd rather not have a relationship.”

“When was that?” 

“It had to be just before the two of you met. Or it might have been right after but before you were too involved.”

“I wondered if you had known.”

“Marcus, I don’t think he kept any real secrets from you.  He loved you so much.”

Marcus stood and now he hugged Brian tightly.  “Thank you for telling me that.”

“Well, let's head to your place.” Justin commented.  “I can’t stay up all night anymore.” It was Justin’s turn to hold onto Brian for a few moments.

“Let me know when you are coming back, Sunshine and I will start running a bath.”

“That sounds perfect, Bri.”


Nico arrived and walked up behind Kevin as he was trying to finish some work.   Nico wrapped an arm around his waist and thrust against him several times. 

“Niccy, stop.  I will be distracted soon enough. Go upstairs and start downloading the dvds onto your computer and when I come upstairs we can eat and look at pictures while everything gets transferred.

“If we look at too many of those pictures we are going to have to do more than eat!  Those men are so beautiful and I want to see more of that amazing loft they shared.” Nico said after giving Kevin a quick kiss and he rushed upstairs.  “Don’t be long.  We don’t want the food to get cold.”

“I’ll be up by the time you get the food out.  I just need to clean up my tools.”


Gus was drinking.  He and Shelby had eaten a great dinner but now Gus had lost himself in the buzz of alcohol and the music being played.  Shelby had kicked her shoes off long ago and was dancing with him.  When the music slowed Gus pulled Shelby close and together they swayed to the music.  Shelby could almost feel his body get heavy.  The depressant of the alcohol was making his mood crash quickly.  She was sure Trenton’s disappearance was hitting him but he was trying so hard to hold on.

“Let’s go home, Gussy.  I think we need to go home now.”

Gus didn’t say anything but he nodded.  All of the sudden he felt like his body was weighed down but it was his spirit now his body that was heavy. Gus had parked behind the building so they left together in Shelby’s car. They were barely out of the city lights when Shelby was sure Gus was crying and before they got home, Gus was asleep.


“Marcus, this is from Ibiza. Remember that trip?  It was so much fun.”

“That trip was so amazing.  I never felt closer to him.  It was like something changed between us.  I think I was sure we were forever while we were there.  Forever shouldn’t be here yet.” Marcus’ head dropped into his hands and Justin moved closer holding him in his arms, crying with him.  Marcus hadn’t planned it but his mouth brushed Justin’s and then it deepened but quickly he pulled himself together.  “Shit, I’m sorry.  It has just been so long and well…”

Justin held Marc for several minutes as his body trembled.  “You know when you’re ready Dan would understand.  He would want you to do anything that makes you happy.”

“I know. I do believe that and when I am ready…  Well, that won’t be for a long time.  So, I think we have a nice variety of pictures to show Adam.  He is coming midday tomorrow.  Jed will meet him and then he is going to hang overnight at Brinn’s.  I thought it could be a little uncomfortable for him.  He is such a great kid.”

“Yes, and I think the two of you are just what the other one needed.” 

“I honestly don’t know if I could stay in this house without him.”

“Is there any word about his mom and sisters?”

“Yes, he actually talked to them this week and in a couple weeks I told him we would set up a day we could meet them and spend the day  together.  He had a good talk with his mom, too.  I don’t think I was half that mature at his age.”

“I think he has had to grow up fast over the years but now he feels secure and can be a kid.”

“He is welcome here as long as he wants to stay.”

“That is all a kid like him can ask for.  He knows you love him.”

“I really do. You are tired, my friend.  Go home and have that bath with Brian.  Make love because you never know when it will be your last time.” 

Justin called Brian, “Hey, Bri, I’m on my way back.”

“I’ll start filling the tub.”

“Bri?”

“Yes.”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too, Sunshine.”

Marcus and Justin hugged and Marcus said he’d be in touch tomorrow and Justin went to love his husband.


Nico and Kevin sat on the old sofa together, flies open and an empty tube of lube between them.  They were surrounded by pictures and used tissues.  “These are even better than I could have imagined.  Justin was a baby!  And, god, Brian was pure perfection,” Nico oozed.

“And to be able to play in a loft like that.  I can’ imagine having a place like that.” Kevin loved the artistic side of the place.

“I wonder how many of the steel beams were used for support as they went at it.”  Nico reached for Kevin’s dick but Kevin pushed his hand away.  

“I can’t again.  Can you get dehydrated from cumming too often?”

“I don’t know but it might be worth it to try sometime.” Nico kissed him lightly.  “Well, at least we got everything scanned in and downloaded.”

“Tomorrow night we can have movies at my place.” Kevin said.  “Can you make us dinner? You are so much better at cooking then I am.”

“I can do that.  I do have to work on my paper most of the day but maybe around 5:00 I will wrap it up for the day and then I will come to your place. And I will sneak this box back into the house.  By now they will be in their room for the night.”  They packed up the pictures and cleaned up their mess before kissing and going their separate ways.


While Brian filled the tub for Justin, Shelby helped Gus into the foamy water of their hot tub. She cradled him as he talked about Trenton and how he was still sure he hadn’t done anything drastic but where was he? And then Gus began kissing her and his hands were everywhere and then she was straddling him and as she moved down, Gus thrust up to meet her.

Brian had just slipped into the water when Justin walked in.  “Getting a headstart are you?” Justin gripped the side of the tub as he bent over to kiss Brian but as he stood and was going to step into the tub, Brian gently reached for his cock and moved his mouth to the edge so he could lick the tip. Justin’s whole body shivered. After a few moments Justin stepped in and sank into the steaming water.  Laying against Brian’s chest, Justin reached back and tilting his head so Brian’s mouth could link with his.  When they separated, Justin had tears in his eyes.

“Sunshine, what is it?” Brian ran his hand along Justin’s cheek.

“I just love you so much and after being with Marcus, I just take my time with you for granted, and I never want to do that. Brian, I just don’t think I could….”

“You aren’t getting rid of me for a good long time.”  Brian said as he tightened his arms around him he placed one hand over Justin’s chest.  “You are taking good care of my heart.”


Marcus was up early.  He had slept better than he expected to but once he was up he couldn’t just sit around.  He decided to go for a run.  He went much further than he expected.  On his way back he slowed his pace and then started to walk.  He stopped at Danny and Elliott’s and had a cup of coffee with them before Danny left with the kids for some activities and Elliott left to do rounds.  

 

Marcus continued his walk and as he came around the curve, he could see there was a car parked by his house.  He first thought it might be one of the agents and then he thought it might be Jed but as the door of the car opened he could see it wasn’t Brennon or Jed or any young boy.  He stopped and blinked a couple times before he softly said, “Dan, I’ll say hi to your brother for you and he started jogging toward his brother in law. 


Chapter 12 by Simply written

Chapter 12


Marcus jogged toward his guest and slowed to a walk as he neared the gentleman.  “Marcus?”

Marcus couldn’t find his voice.  He stood there and looked into Dan’s face.  He looked so much like Dan did when they met. Marcus shook his head and slowly offered his hand. “I don’t have to ask if you are Adam.”  He was looking at every feature. It was obvious it wasn’t Dan but the bone structure and coloring was so similar. Even the way he held his head at a bit of an angle.  “Sorry, I didn’t mean to stare.  I didn’t expect you quite this early.”

“I am the one who should apologize.  I got in last night and planned to just make sure I could find the place and well, I saw the sign for the business and…”

“Everything alright, Marcus?” Tyler walked over from the office and then for just a split second he hesitated.

“I’m fine, Tyler.  This is Adam, Dan’s brother. Adam, this is Tyler Harris.  Tyler has run the business for several years.”

“I don’t know if I would say that exactly.  Dan was always there for guidance but now I am trying to run the business the way he would.”

“You are doing a great job.  Any word on Trenton Daniels?”

“I will know more today. I better get back to work.”

“Tyler?” Marcus touched his arm. “Thanks for checking on me.”

“If you need anything, you just have to ask.”  Tyler jogged off to the office.

“Please come in.  I’m afraid I will need to take a quick shower.  I went for a run and had coffee with our son and his husband but I am sure I don’t smell very good.” Marcus smiled.

“I shouldn’t have stopped.  I will just go back to the hotel and…”

“No, please, come in.” Marcus held the door open and Adam walked in.  “Please make yourself some coffee or tea.  Cream is in the fridge.  I’ll be back in 10. Feel free to explore.” Marcus rushed off to the bedroom. He closed the door and leaned against it for a moment.  He then took a deep breath and got moving.  

Adam made a cup of coffee and then walked over and looked at a shelf of pictures.  He heard a door and turned expecting to see Marcus but instead he saw a young man.  “Oh, hi.’ he said to Jed.

“May I help you?” Jed was concerned to find a stranger in the house and tried to sound mature but when the man turned to face him he just stared.  He had never met Dan but he had seen pictures and this man looked just like him. He was sure his mouth was hanging open but he couldn’t seem to say anything.

“Oh, Jed, I see you have met Adam.”

“Oh, ya,  was just about to introduce myself.” 

Marcus walked over and put a hand on Jed’s shoulder.  “Adam, I would like to introduce my foster son.  Jed, this is Adam Reed.”

“Nice to meet you, sir.  I am sorry if I was rude.”

Adam extended his hand to Jed and Jed took it. “I am sure you didn’t expect to have a stranger in your house.  I showed up unannounced so I am the one who has been rude today.”

“Um, Marcus, I was just going to grab my computer.  Bren and I are working on a school project and some of the research is on my computer.  I will be back in time for dinner.”

“That’s fine, Jed.  I know Zach and Brinn will take care of you. Go on.”

“He’s a nice kid. How long has he been here?”

“A little over a month.  He lost his father in an accident and his mother just couldn’t handle it.  She is doing much better but Jed is going to be staying with me, although he is going to visit with them soon.”

“Did you and my brother have many foster children over the years?”

“No, we became foster parents so we could keep Danny and then when we were fortunate enough to get Hannah, we just kept up the license.”

“Will I get to meet your children?”

“Danny will be over tonight but I’m afraid Hannah is in residency and she couldn’t get off.”

“They are beautiful.  I saw pictures of them over there.  Hannah looks so much like you.  No one would know you weren’t her biological father.  I hope I wasn’t too nosy but I read the story in an old paper of how you got her. She couldn’t have been more fortunate than to have your son find her. Danny was with Brian and Justin’s daughter, wasn’t he?”

“Yes, Brinn and Danny are still close.  Their husbands have known that since day one.”

“I passed some beautiful houses along the way up here.  There are amazing views everywhere.”

“Yes, Dan was building here when we met. Danny just lives around the bend  and Brian and Justin and their family are the only others that live on this mountain except a few workers. Brian and Justin’s son, Gus, designed and built all of these.”

“I have read a lot about him.  The articles all say his fathers helped him be creative and artistic in refining his craft.”

“We have lived as a family here in the vineyard for many years.  It has been very, well, idyllic.  Since neither Brian or Dan had family in their lives they became the best of friends and then they became family. I don’t know what Dan would have done without… oh, I didn’t mean…”

“I know, we weren’t there for Dan. When Dad was alive I was weak and didn’t stand up for him but when he died I should have….well, life was good and I thought it was best not to change things.  I know I was wrong.”

“Adam, I think Dan probably felt the same when he brushed you off after the loss of your family.  That was very unlike Dan but soon he was sick and maybe he knew bringing you in just then might be more than he could handle.”

The men continued to talk and share stories as the beautiful fall day moved on.


Gus woke up with a massive headache.  He hadn’t drank like that in 20 years. He pulled on some sweat pants and then heard Shelby singing in the kitchen. He looked at his phone and saw a message from Tyler.  ‘May have a lead. Will call when I hear from agent’. That was a good thing but he had to believe Trenton was somewhere safe. He walked out to find Shelby and some aspirin.  

He slipped his arms around her from behind, letting his hands slide into her robe, wanting to feel her warm flesh. After kissing her neck, he said, “Good morning, Shelly.”

“Good morning, Gussy.  Are you feeling alright this morning?” 

“I’m feeling as well as I can.”  He pulled out a bottle of aspirin and took several.  He poured a cup of coffee to chase them down.  “Thanks for last night.  I know that isn’t your favorite scene anymore.”

“Oh, Gus, I had fun.  The food was great and I got to be in your arms for hours and well the hot tub was the perfect ending to the night. Did you look at your phone? Tyler sent us the same message.”

“Trenton is a grown man and I have no claim over him but I just need to know he is safe somewhere.”

“I know.  I talked to Taylor.  She was wondering if you could come over and do a couple repairs for them.  She said something about needing some shelves, too?”

“That sounds like a perfect way to spend the day.  We can drive into town and leave your car and pick up my truck.  I had some wood in the back, I think.  Depending on what she wants I might even be able to start them.  I can teach Gabe some building skills.” Shelby laughed out loud.

“I think the hammer is a little heavy for him.”

“Ok, well, at least I will get to play with him.  Did you ever think you could love him as much as you do?”

“Well, I knew I would love him but there is a special feeling I get every time I see him. He is my baby’s baby.”

Gus pulled her close and kissed her.  “I love our family.  I love you.” 

“I know, Gus, I love you, too.”


Justin kissed Brian as he sat down with their breakfast.  “Did I hear you talking to Tyler?”

“Ya, he is fairly sure he has tracked him to a clinic. He plans to go talk to him on Monday.”

“He isn’t telling Gus where he is?”

“I told him not to.  If Daniels wants to be left alone he has that right.  Tyler will tell Gus he is safe but that he doesn’t want to be tracked. If our son freaks out too much, maybe you and I will go check on him.”

“You know Gus isn’t going to be happy about that.”

“If Trenton is safe somewhere, we have no right to interrupt him.”

“I agree but I’m not sure our son will.”  Justin slid his hand over Brian’s thigh and he felt Brian’s muscles contract in all the best ways. Their lips met again and Brian’s hand settled on his crotch. Justin’s arms went around his neck and leaned against him.

“Oh, don’t mind me.  I am just walking through.” Nico said as he entered the kitchen.  “Would you like me to clean up before I go?”

“It is your day off, Nico.  That means you don’t have to work.” Brian commented.  “Where were you when I was hiring executives in my office?  I could have used a few that wanted to work on their day off.”

Nico walked over and dropped some bread into the toaster,  “Well, I am planning on working on my schoolwork for a good part of the day.  Then I’m going to Kevin’s for dinner and a movie night.  Oh, that’s right,” he said to himself. “I need to get food for dinner.”

“If we have what you need go ahead and take it.   We always are well stocked.”

“Thank you.  You are both so kind.  That’s why I love my work.”  The toast popped up and he spread on avocado and sprinkled on hot sauce. He stood there and couldn’t help but think of the pictures he had looked at last night. He could only hope he was half as sexy when he got to their ages.

“You can sit while you eat.” Justin said as he smiled.

“Thank you but no, I will be sitting at my computer for the next five or six hours. I will stop by in between school work and going to Kevin so if there is anything you would need just leave a note.”

‘We are fine.  We are going to Marcus’ for dinner.”

“Well, have a good day!” Nico said as he rushed out the door.

“If only I had half that energy.” Brian said as he watched the young man sprint out the door.

“I remember you having plenty of energy.”  Justin touched his arm.

“You didn’t even know me at that age.” Brian pulled him off the stool and into his arms. When he noticed Justin wince his hand moved down and rested on his ass.  “Have you talked to Elliott yet?”

“Yes, he is stopping by on his way home today.  He will let me know when he is on his way.  I sent him the files to look at.”

Brian and Justin spent their day  working on some of their own projects.  Justin had a painting he was working on at the home studio and Brian was reviewing some Board reports.  Since they had a late breakfast  about 3:00 they had a snack together.  Brian asked, “Have you heard from Elliott, yet?”

“I think he will call soon.”

“Sunshine, you know what you have to do, right?”

“Don’t push me, Brian.  You told me this was my decision. It’s my body.  My pain.” Justin pulled away from him.

“It’s your fear.” Brian said bluntly.

“Fuck you, Brian Kinney.  Just fuck you.”

“You have, many times.” The minute he said it he knew it was a mistake. “Sunshine, I’m sorry.”

Justin moved out of the room as fast as he could.  Brian heard their bedroom door shut and knew it would be locked.

Brian left him alone for an hour and then knocked on the door. There was no response.  He then moved outside hoping the  door to the deck was open.  He hadn’t realized it was raining and the moment he stepped out the sky opened up and when he tried to get back in he realized the door had locked behind him.  He hadn’t planned this well. By the time he took the few steps over to the bedroom door, he was soaked through.  The door was locked into the room so he was at Justin’s mercy.

“Sunshine, please let me in.  It’s pouring and it’s getting cold.  I’m locked out here. Please, Justin.” 

Justin was sitting with his back to the window and didn’t move until he heard thunder and then he turned around and then walked over and unlocked the door, “You idiot.” Justin’s phone sounded and he grabbed his phone and walked into the bathroom.  A towel was thrown out and then the door was locked.

“Sorry, Elliott. I am married to a jerk.”

“I was just going to let you know I am on my way.  I should be at your place in maybe fifteen or twenty minutes.  It looks like it is raining hard up there.”

“It is.  Be careful and meet me at the barn.”


Justin walked into the barn.  Nico looked downstairs.  “Justin, did you need something?”

“No, I just needed to get away for a bit. A friend is meeting me here to talk without Brian’s point of view butting in.”

Nico walked down the steps, “Is there something I can do for you? Would you like me to leave?”

“No, I’m sorry I am interrupting your study time.”

“That’s alright.  I needed a break anyway.  I was thinking about calling it a day.  Would you like me to stay?”

“No, if you were ready to leave anyway, feel free.  I guess i would like time alone to hear what Elliott has to say.”

“I’ll be out of here in five minutes.”  After grabbing his computer, Nico was just leaving when El walked in.  Nico looked him up and down from head to toe. “Hello, Elliott.” He said as he rushed past him.  At least the rain had slowed down a bit as he rushed to his car.

“Who was that?” Elliott walked over to where Justin was sitting and kissed his cheek.  

“That is Nico.  He’s a grad student that is working for us.  He is our house keeper and then he can work on his Master’s when he has his work done.”

“Sounds like a good deal for both of you, if he is a good worker anyway.”

“He is an excellent cook and the house has never been cleaner.”

“Are you working on this huge sculpture?”

“No, well, I am helping but it is the intern that I am working with who does most of it. We have two grad students around right now. Now, you didn’t stop by to hear about our daily interruption.  What do you think about my leg?”

They sat across each other at a small table. “I expected Brian to join us.”

“Don’t ask.  I just wanted to talk to you alone.”

 Elliott reviewed everything with him. “Bottom line, the cleaning out the scar tissue will probably help the pain level but it won’t strengthen your leg.  You will still feel the weakness and I have to be honest, as you get older you will probably continue to lose strength in it.”

“And the other surgery?” Justin really wished Brian was here to hold his hand but his mouth would get in the way.

“Looking at your records, orthopedics has come a long way from the time of your accident. I won’t lie, it will take work to get it back in shape but, in the long run, I think you will have regained strength and you should have less pain.  You know I can’t be sure, but that is what would happen in most cases. And you know you have the best surgeon on the west coast.”

“Thanks for stopping by Elliott.  I just keep wondering if it is worth all that at my age.”

“Justin, you aren’t even 70.  You have a lot of years ahead of you.”

“Elliott, can I tell you something, patient to doctor?”

“Sure, is there something you haven’t told me?”

“Nothing like that but I just know that I won’t live long after Brian goes.  I don’t know how Marcus is doing it.”

“Justin, when the time comes, you will go on.  You have children and grandchildren and great grandchildren that will need you around.”

“Without Brian…. Don’t worry I am not talking about doing anything to myself.  I just think ….” Justin stopped talking and took a breath.  “Thanks, El, for stopping by.  We are going to have dinner with Marc and Adam this evening so I guess I better go get ready.”

“Yes, I wonder how it is going.  With Adam showing up this morning already, I hope they are getting along.”

“I told him to call me if he needed backup and he didn’t so I am guessing it is going alright.” 

The men went their own way.  Justin went back to the house and found Brian sitting in the bathtub.  “You want to join me?”

Justin ignored him and got in the shower. While he was washing he noticed Brian add more hot water to the tub and when he got out of the shower, Brian was still sitting there. “You better get out.  We will need to leave soon.”

“Ya, it just got so cold outside and I can’t seem to warm up.”

“Well, if you weren’t stupid enough to stand out in the rain…” Justin walked into his dressing room to get ready. He heard Brian walk to his dressing room so he knew he was getting ready.  Brian felt cold.  He was only out in the rain for a few minutes.  That wasn’t long enough for him to get sick. After pulling on jeans and a sweater, he went and picked out a few bottles of wine.  He was fairly sure it wasn’t necessary but this was some new stock that had just gone to market.  

Brian came out and looked at Justin, “Are you going to tell me what Elliott said?”

“Why, so you can tell me how I should think?”

“Sunshine, come on.” He walked over to a cabinet where they kept some basic medication.  “Do we have any cold medicine? I think I’m getting a cold.”

“There should be something up there. Take something and then it’s time for us to go.  Adam has been at Marcus’ house since about 9:00 this morning so by now they should have covered everything.”

“Then why are we going?”

“Well, Brian, if it is such an inconvenience for you to spend time with your best friend’s widower, by all means, stay home.”

“Please, can we call a truce for now. I didn’t mean anything by that.  I just am not feeling the best and I just meant if they are getting along they may prefer we not go.”

Justin took a deep breath.  He had been jumping down his throat. “Truce.  Are you ready to go?”

They put on jackets because it was still raining and they drove to Marcus’.  Adam greeted them at the door and welcomed them in. “Hey, guys, glad you could make it.  Is that the new wine you were telling me about?”

“It is.  You don’t have to use it tonight if you have something planned but I thought I would bring you a couple bottles.  If you want a case, just let Brinn or Zach know.”

“I will. Adam, make sure you get a case of wine before you leave.”

“Tomorrow we could have a wine tasting.  We haven’t done that for a long time and Zach does a great job picking different bottles to try.”

“You guys know how to live here.  I can’t imagine having a vineyard of wine at my fingertips.”

Brian walked over to the liquor cabinet and poured himself something stronger. 

“One of those nights, Brian?” Marcus asked.

“I got caught out in the rain this afternoon and I just can’t warm up.” 

Soon the four men were sitting around the table eating dinner. Brian was quieter than usual but everyone shared stories with Adam and his big brother.  Brian even shared a couple early stories from back in New York and a time when he and Justin had split for a short time.  After Brian sneezed, Justin looked at him closely. He looked a bit flushed and Justin reached over and touched his forehead.

“I hate to break the party up because I have been enjoying myself but Brian needs to go home to bed.”

“I’m alright. I can…”

“Brian, I think you have a fever so it is time for you to get to bed.”

“I’m not going to argue with you.  I feel like shit, if I am honest.”

“Well, I think I should go, too.  I have been here about twelve hours,” Adam commented.  “I’ll call you in the morning, Marc, and you can let me know what time lunch will be with your family. I am anxious to meet them.”

Brian swayed a bit when he stood up. “Here, Bri, let me help you with your coat.” Once Brian’s was on, Justin put on his own.  He kissed Marcus and hugged Adam.  “I’ll talk to you tomorrow, Marcus.”

“Bye guys.  I would give you a hug but I don’t want you to catch what I have, if it is spreadable.”

Soon Brian and Justin were entering their house and Brian went straight to bed. Justin slipped into bed with him a few minutes later and kissed his cheek. “Get some sleep, baby.  I promise we will talk in the morning.  I love you.”

“Love you too, Sunshine.” Brian fell asleep almost immediately but Justin couldn’t seem to rest.


Nico and Kevin lay in Kevin’s bed replaying one of the movies for the fourth time. “I still can’t believe someone can bend like that,” Kevin said.

Nico responded, “I thought I had tried about everything but that one is new to me.” He rolled onto Kevin and pinned him to the mattress.  After a long invasive kiss he said, “Want to try that?”

“I think I would have to do a lot of stretching before I did that.” Kevin looked at the screen, “Look at that apartment.  That lounge chair in the background.  I’d lay money that leather had to be cleaned frequently.”

“No doubt.  Do they ever get worn out? I mean, holy shit.”

“What do you say, we turn off the movie and screw before going to sleep.  Tomorrow we can watch the rest of them.” Kevin suggested.

“Can’t think of anything I’d rather do at this time of night.” He slipped his hand under the blanket and began to stroke Kevin.  “And I think I am going to try that thing Brian did.” With that Nico’s head disappeared under the blankets and Kevin couldn’t do anything but arch and moan as Nico took him into his mouth.


Justin had laid there for more than an hour and finally he went to the living room and flipped the fireplace on. He put some soft music on and pulled out a sketch pad.  The only thing he could draw was Brian.  Why had he gotten so mad at him.  He had just said the truth.  He was scared.  He didn’t know what to do.

Justin heard his phone ping.  He picked it up and saw a message from Brinn, ‘Daddy, you awake?’

He responded, ‘I am’.

His phone rang, “Hi Brinny.”

“Daddy can you talk?”

“Is something wrong, sweetheart?”

“That’s what I was going to ask you.  I have been thinking about you all day and I went to bed but couldn’t sleep so I turned on the fireplace and called you.”

Justin smiled. She would always be his little girl.  They would always have that connection. “I did the same thing.  Your dad is getting a cold and wasn’t feeling 100% and the cold medicine made him tired, I think but I just couldn’t…”

“Daddy, what is keeping you up?  I hope it’s not Gus because he is doing well.  He seems fairly calm about Trenton.”

“I’m glad to hear that you think he is good.  I got the same feeling.”

“So, Daddy, what …..never mind.  Pour me a glass of wine.  I’m on my way over.”

“Brinn, the weather is so nasty tonight.”

“I’ll be there in five minutes. Open the door.”

Justin poured two glasses of port and held the door open as Brinn dashed into the door. She stopped and hugged Justin tightly.  He held onto her for a couple full minutes.  Brinn slipped off her jacket and picked up the glasses of wine Justin had poured.  She noticed Justin’s significant limp. They sat on the sofa and Justin put an arm around her while holding the wine in his other hand.

“Daddy, is it your leg?”

“That’s a big part of it.  Brian wants me to have the major surgery again and go through all the therapy that will come with it.  I have to admit, I just don’t know if I can face the pain again.”

“Can you live with the pain you are in all the time now?”

“I could just have some scar tissue removed and it would feel better.”

“Daddy, is better good enough?”

“I just don’t know, honey.  And I snapped at your dad and now he is sick and I know he was just being Brian and I blew it out of proportion because I am so stressed.”

“I’m sorry, Daddy.  You have had to go through so much.” They both heard Brian cough. 

“I locked him out of the bedroom and he ended up locked out of the house in the rain today.”

“Daddy, the likelihood is that he was already getting something.  What are you going to do?”

“You’ll be there for me, right?”

“Daddy, I will always be there for you.” Brian coughed again.  She finished her wine and stood, kissing Justin.  You go check on Dad and I better get back to my husband.  I love you, Daddy.”

“Oh, Brinny, I love you, too.”  As soon as Brinn left Justin locked the house up again, turned off the gas jets and moved toward their bedroom.

“Justin, where are you?” Brian started coughing.

“I’m coming, Brian.”  

It was a long night.  Brian had one of the worst colds Justin could remember him having.  Brian had bounced back from his cancer treatment that they didn’t think about it much but his immune system still was affected which is probably why he got sick from being outside. It was easy to forget he was under stress too.  Anything that stressed Justin, stressed Brian so Justin was now feeling guilty as he catered to Brian.  As the sun came up, Justin wrapped a blanket around Brian as he moved to a comfortable reclining chair and brought him a cup of hot tea with lots of honey, lemon, and a shot of brandy. 

“Here, baby, sip this. I texted Danny to stop by sometime today.  He will have an antibiotic with him if he thinks you need one.”

Brian started to make a snide comment but he didn’t have the energy or the heart.  “Thanks, Sunshine.”

“Are you hungry? I can get you some toast or some eggs?”

“No, thank you.”

“Brian, about yesterday….  I’m sorry.”

Brian took his hand and brought it to his lips, “You didn’t do anything.  I pushed you and after 50 years, I should know better.”

“You just want what’s best for me. ” He bent and kissed Brian’s head.  “Drink your tea and then try to rest.”

“You know I can’t sleep without you.”

“If you drink that whole cup of tea, I think you’ll sleep for a bit anyway.”

Brian opened his mouth and started coughing. He brought the cup to his mouth and sipped the still steaming liquid. The cough seemed to settle down a bit.  He was just finishing the mug of tea when there was a knock on the door.  Justin answered it and found Danny standing there. He hugged Justin and asked, “How’s he doing?”

“He’ll live but I am not sure if he needs anything for the cough.  I don’t want it to go to pneumonia.”

Danny walked to the living room and gently took Brian’s wrist not wanting to wake him if he was sleeping. He could feel a strong pulse.  

Brian’s eyes fluttered open, “Hey, Junior.”

Danny had to smile. When his dad was alive he was the only one who called him that but Brian rarely called him by his name now.  And from anyone else he would have asked them to stop but from Uncle Brian he felt the love of his dad wash over him.

“Hey, Uncle Brian.  Can I take a quick listen to your lungs.” He first placed the stethoscope on his chest and then he had him lean forward and he listened on his back.  “The lungs are clear right now,” he looked at Brian and then at Justin.  “But, since I know your immunity is a bit low right now, just to be safe I think it would be good for you to take a little something.  I think you are doing the best thing you can do.  Let Justin take care of you.  He has always done a good job at that.” He smiled at the man standing next to him.  “I will stop by in a couple days just to make sure you are on the mend.” He placed his hand on Brian’s shoulder and Brian reached up and squeezed it.  

“Thanks,” he then laid back and closed his eyes.

Justin and Danny walked back into the kitchen and Danny dug through his medical bag.  “Here’s the medication.  You know what to do with it, just once a day for 5 days.  And I will stop back in a couple days unless you need me earlier but I think he will be fine.  El said you talked yesterday.  Have you made a decision?”

“I have been wrestling with this for days but after talking to Elliott yesterday and Brinn last night I know I need to have the surgery.  If it was just me, I would just have the scar tissue cleared out but as Brian gets older, he is going to need me more.  I need to be there for him.”

Danny hugged him.  “You are the most selfless person I have ever met, Justin.  You know if Elliott or I can be of any assistance…”

“Thanks, Danny. I will let you know when I have it scheduled. I am guessing it will be as soon as the surgeon is free.”

Danny and Justin talked for a few more minutes before they went on for the day.  Justin  messaged the surgeon and then brought Brian his medication. Once Brian was settled, Justin laid on the sofa and dozed off himself, knowing his decision had been made.


The next few days Brian slowly got better and by Friday, other than a lingering, nagging cough he was feeling much better.  He had not brought up Justin’s surgery again.  As Nico finished up dinner, Justin went to let Brian know it was almost time to eat.  Justin knocked on the office door and entered, “Hey Brian, dinner will be ready in a few minutes.”

“Thanks, Sunshine.  Do we have a minute?”

“Sure, what is it?” Brian reached out and Justin walked over, sitting down on  his lap.

“I don’t want to press you but I know you are hurting worse and I just want you to be out of pain.”

Justin kissed him.  “I’m sorry, I didn’t want to add anything else to your thoughts.  I wanted you to get better.”

“I’m fine now.  I won’t try to change your mind. I just want you to take care of yourself.”

“I am going to have the whole surgery.  The surgeon is working on a date but he thinks it will work the beginning of the next week.  So I guess in about 10 days I will be in the hospital for a night or two and probably need to set up a therapist who will come up here. The surgeon is looking into someone who is free for a couple weeks that can move in.”

“Sunshine, you have done all of this yourself? I could have helped you.  We are in this together.”

“Oh Bri, I felt partially responsible for you getting sick and I am an adult that has done a lot by myself.”

“I know, Justin but usually, when it comes to personal things, we do them together.” He reached up and brought Justin’s head down to his and they kissed.  “I know I’m not as useful as I used to be.”

“Brian, that isn’t it at all.  You always have been and always will be the person I go to.  I knew your opinion on this and you have to admit, you weren’t feeling well this week.  I will do anything and take on anything that keeps you healthy quicker.  I’m sorry I didn’t apologize earlier this week.  The night with Adam and Marcus, talking about Dan, reinforced how stupid it was for us to fight over something like this.  We both know you want what is best for me. And you were right, I was, no, I am scared but after talking to Brinny, and knowing your opinion, I knew what I needed to do.”

“I would never want something that would make you less than I know you should be.” As their lips came together one more time there was a soft knock on the door.  

“Gentlemen, dinner is ready.”

Justin slowly stood.  “We are on our way.”  He offered his hand to Brian and together they strode out of the room.

As they ate dinner, there was a knock on the door.  Nico went to see who it was and Tyler followed him back into the kitchen.  “Well Tyler, did you  talk to him?”  Brian asked.  Earlier in the week he let them know he had found Trenton and, since Brian was sick, Tyler went to check on him.

“Hey, Tyler, you want some dinner? Nico makes far more than we can eat,” Justin smiled at his brother in law.

“Ya, he overcooks so he and Kevin can eat the leftovers.” Brian mumbled but winked at Nico.

“I better not.  I am taking your sister out for dinner so this is going to be quick. I just saw Trent.  He has rented a place and hired a full time therapist to move in with him.  I am glad it isn’t me.  He is in a horrible mood but he told me he wasn’t coming back until he could be the man Gus deserved.  We actually communicated for a while.  He spoke some but the longer we spoke the more tired his voice got so he used a white board.”

“So he is doing well?”

“I spoke to his therapist with his permission and she said he was making progress.” He reached over and picked up a piece of bread and took a bite. “I gotta get out of here.  So anything else I should have told you?”

Brian looked over at him, “Did Danials or the therapist tell you how long they expected it to take for him to regain what he has lost. Gus is holding it together but eventually he is going to crash if he doesn’t know something.”

“You know they aren’t going to give a timeline when it comes to that. The only thing she said was she usually works with a client for one to two months.”

“Well, let’s hope it is the shorter side.  I feel for both Shelby and Gus.” Justin said with real heartfelt sentiment. 

“Well, I am on my way out before Molly kills me for being late.  Remember, I will not disclose exactly where he is without his permission so if you tell Gus anything include that.”

“Thanks, Tyler.  Tell Mol to give me a call tomorrow when she has some time or come out.  It’s been too long and I need to talk to her about my surgery.  I promised I would fill her in once I knew.  On second thought, if you’re free come for lunch or dinner tomorrow.”

“I’ll have her call tomorrow.” 


The following Friday night, Jed was at the house.  “Not that I don’t enjoy you here at the house but it’s Friday night.  I would expect you to be sneaking off with Brennon somewhere.”

“He needed time to be with Zander.  He broke up with a girlfriend again so Zach decided to take the boys on a guys getaway. They politely invited me but they needed family time.”

“And so do you?” Marcus put an arm around the young man.

“Did you get it set up for me to see my sisters? Did my mom finally get back to you?”

“Well, the social worker working with her called me back.  I am not sure if your mom will be there but she has agreed to let you and your sisters spend time together so tomorrow we will meet them at a place about an hour from here.”

“Really? I get to see my sisters?”

“Yes, we will meet them for lunch and then go to a nearby park so you can spend time together.”

“Marcus, since you didn’t talk to Mom,  are the girls still living with her?”

Marcus paused a moment, “No, they aren’t.  I just found that out today.  Your mom…”

“My mom has always had problems.  She held it together with Dad’s help. I knew...where are my sisters staying?”

“They will be moving in with your aunt as soon as she gets moved.  She is moving into your parents’ house but it will take her a couple weeks.  Do you think that is a good thing?” Marcus asked him, seriously.

“Yes, she will take good care of them. Marcus, am I going to go back there?”

“Do you want to?”

“No, I want to stay with you.  My uncle and aunt love my sisters and will take good care of them but they are a lot younger than my parents.  They don’t want someone as old as me. Don’t get me wrong, I know they love me, too, but I would be a strain.”

Marcus hugged him tightly. “You are such a great man. You are afraid they wouldn’t accept you being gay, aren’t you.”

“I don’t want to find out.”

“Like I told you, you will always be part of my family.  You will always be welcome here.”

Jed stepped back and looked at him with tears in his eyes, “I love you, Marcus.  I am so glad I am part of your family.”


The next week went too fast for Justin. He lay awake long after Brian fell asleep.  He was about to get up so he wouldn’t wake up Brian when he felt Brian take his hand.  “Come here.” Justin curled up against him. “What are you thinking?”

“How much pain I will be in at this time tomorrow.”

“You will be able to have as many drugs as you want.”

“That might be true tomorrow but we both know that will stop after a couple days. And what if…. surgeries go wrong every day.”

“Sunshine, stop thinking about it. You have the best surgeon I could find.  I searched the country and you know there is no one with a better record.” As Brian talked his hand began to roam downward. He began to slowly tease Justin’s cock with his hand and fingers and then he slowly trailed kisses down from his chest and then he spent a few moments at his navel before moving even lower. Brian brought Justin to the brink and then, slipping his hand between Justin’s legs and as he slipped his finger into Justin he gently sucked him over the edge.  He then pulled him into his arms and Justin finally slept soundly.


“Sunshine, it’s time to wake up. We need to leave for the hospital soon.”

“Oh,” he stretched and got out of bed.  He dressed and by the time he made it to the kitchen, Brinn was walking in the door.

“Good morning, Daddy.” She wrapped her arms around his neck. “Are you ready to go? Elliott is going to be in the operating room with you today.  He promised he will look out for you.”

“Thanks, sweetheart.  You don’t have to spend your day…”

“Not only am I going to be there, but Gus is going to meet us there. Now, come on. Time to go.”

A half hour later Justin was being checked in. Brinn, Gus, and Brian stayed with him in the room until a nurse asked them all to leave as they did a final prep and started some medication so he could start to relax.  While he waited to be taken back, they allowed Brian back into the room.  

“Brian, thanks for coming.” Justin was obviously feeling the effects of the medication.  “Kiss me.”

Brian bent over and kissed him but Justin wouldn’t let him stand back up. “Justin, I’m not going anywhere.  I promise.”

“Baby, I love you.  If something goes wrong and …”

“Sunshine, nothing is going wrong.  And I love you.  Remember you own my heart, so you can’t go anywhere.”

“We both broke each other’s hearts more than once but we both eventually found our way back.”

“Yes, love, we both made mistakes but we both got smarter as we got older.”  A nurse popped in and held up 5 fingers.  “I need to go now, Justin.  They are ready for you.”

“If I don’t make it, I’ll still be with you.”

“We will always be together, no matter what.  I know you aren’t going anywhere.  I can’t do life with you.”

The nurse and orderly came in the door and Brian leaned over and kissed him.

“I love you, Brian Kinney.  I have loved you for 50 years.”

Brian choked up as he watched the bed be pushed down the hall. Brian whispered, “You’re my sunshine.  Without you I wouldn’t know how to love.”

 

Chapter 13 by Simply written

Chapter 13


“Here, Pops.” Gus handed his dad a cup of coffee and then handed one out of the cardboard container to Brinn.

“Thanks, Gussy.” Brinn slipped an arm around him and laid her head on his shoulder. His arm slipped around her waist and pulled her close. 

It had been three hours since Brian joined his children in the waiting room. “I picked up some pastries in case either of you are hungry.” 

Brinn kissed his cheek and walked over to Brian and sat down next to him. “Dad, why don’t you eat a little something.  I am sure you didn’t have anything before we left the house.”  Brinn  picked up the bag Gus had set on the table and Brinn looked inside. She pulled out a danish and handed it to Brian on a napkin.  “Please, Dad, I know you won’t leave this place until Daddy does so you will need to eat.” 

Brian accepted it from her and took a bite. Brinn took one out for herself and began breaking off one bite at a time.  “When did they say we should hear something?” She asked no one in particular.  

“Any time now.  Elliott said he would slip out after they got the major part done and then they will have an hour or two more to wrap up the surgery.”

“You know how strong Daddy is.  He is going to get through this just fine and then he’ll heal quickly.

“I know. I just always go back to his head injury and I worry when he has to  be under, especially this long.” The three sat silently as they waited. When they heard footsteps approaching the waiting room Brian stood up as Elliott walked in.  “How is it going?” Brian blurted as Elliott approached.

“Justin is doing well.  The repairs have been made and the artificial muscle has been added.  All that is left now is for them to clean out a little more scar tissue and then stitch him up.  The worst is over.

“Thanks, El.” Brinn said to him. 

“Brinn, could you let Danny know? I told him I would but I’d rather get back into the operating room.”

“Sure, El.  I will let him know.  Thanks for letting us know.” Elliot rushed out of the room and Brinn took Brian’s arm and led him back to a chair. As Brinn texted Danny, Gus came and sat  next to Brian.

“Pops, I hate to leave but I just got a message that they need me at the office for a couple hours.  Brinn, are you able to stay?”

“Yes, I will stay right here until I know Daddy’s out.  I’ll text you when he is back in his room.”

“Thanks, Brinn.  I hate leaving but  this issue…”

“Go, Gussy.” Brinn waved her brother off.

It was two hours before Elliott came back to the waiting room and said he could take them back   to Justin’s room.  Justin lay on the bed under a blanket with tubes attached to him and extra tubes attached to his leg.

Once Brinn had seen him and he was still sleeping, she kissed Justin’s cheek and then kissed Brian.  “I am going to go make a couple phone calls and let people know he is out of surgery and then  I will pick up something for you to eat.  Daddy won’t be eating dinner tonight but you need to.”

”Thanks, Brinn.”

And then Brian was alone with Justin and as he relaxed sitting in a chair next to Justin holding his hand, he relaxed enough to fall asleep.  He thought he was dreaming when, sometime later, he felt fingers combing through his hair.

“Brian, you should be somewhere sleeping.  You just got over bronchitis.” Justin’s voice was soft and raspy from the tube that had been down his throat but when Brian looked up, Justin gave him a slight smile.

“Oh, Sunshine, I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to fall asleep I…”

“Shut up and kiss me and then get me some water.” 

Brian gave him a feather light kiss and then picked up a glass and brought the straw up to his lips. Justin took a small sip. Brian kissed his forehead.  “Let me go tell them you are awake.”

“I already used the call button.”

“You pushed the button in your hand?”

Justin nodded.

“That’s your drug button.  You just gave yourself a shot of painkiller.”

“No wonder you’re floating.” Brian picked up the call button and pressed it.  Moments later Elliott walked in. 

“Hey, Justin, how are you feeling?”

“He’s feeling no pain right now. He thought the button was the call button.”

Elliott smiled and walked over to the bed. “Justin you did well.  I am not going to tell you everything we did right now because you won’t remember it anyway but call the nurse if you need anything and Brian, you need to get some rest soon.”

“I gook a nap.”  Brian started to argue.

“Brian, Justin will be sleeping very soon.  I would tell you to go home but that isn’t going to happen, is it?”

“I’m not going anywhere without him.”

“Well, then sleep on the sofa but I insist you eat something.”

“Someone is supposed to be bringing food by later.  Is Sunshine allowed to eat?”

“He is on a liquid diet the rest of the day.  Hopefully, tomorrow he will be able to eat solids.”

Brian nodded as he ran his hand through Justin’s blond locks. He was sound asleep again. “Elliott, it really did go that well, didn’t it?”

“Yes, Brian, your sunshine should recover and be much better off then he has been for many years.”

“Thanks, Elliott. You don’t have to say it.  I’ll lay down and rest as long as he is sleeping.”

“Brian, I hope I am as good a husband to Danny as you are to Justin.”

“Elliott, you are much better. You love him and your kids and you have never waivered.”

Elliott put his hand on Brian’s shoulder.  “I will stop by before I leave for the day.”  When Elliott popped in both Justin and Brian were asleep so he slipped out without waking them. He was ready to see Danny and his kids.  Maybe he needed to take some time off.  Maybe he would see if Marcus could stay with the kids for a few days and take Danny away.  It had been a very long time since they had a weekend alone.


Brian was sitting next to the bed talking to Justin in between his naps when Kevin and Nico walked in.

“We don’t want to interrupt but I brought you dinner.” Nico said as he handed a bag to Brian.  I hope it is alright.  I made a salad with chicken and some bread.  I put some sweets in there for you to nibble on later.”

“Thank you, guys.” Brian replied.  “I am sure it is wonderful.”

“Brian, go eat somewhere and get some air.  I don’t want to smell that amazing food and I can’t eat it.  I bet these gentlemen will keep me company until you come back,” Justin said softly.

“We can stay as long as you need us to.” Kevin said.  “Take a break.  Call Brinn, too. She is wondering if she should come back tonight.”

“Bri, tell her no.  I am going to sleep most of the evening and night.  Tell her I will see her tomorrow.”

Brian kissed him, “I’ll be back in a bit.  I love you.”

“I love you, too, Brian. Now, go.”

As soon as Justin knew Brian was gone, he said, “Kevin, please go get a nurse.  If Brian is still there act natural until he is gone.”

“Justin, are you alright?”

“Yes, I just need a nurse.”

Kevin came back with a nurse and then Nico and Kevin went out into the hall. “Do you think we should go find Brian?”  Kevin questioned.

“No,” Nico squeezed his hand.  “If something was really wrong, Justin would want him there. I think he just wants Brian to relax and get a break.  He is tough.”

When the nurse came back out, the young men entered the room again.  Justin’s face was a bit strained but he nothing else seemed to have changed.  “Don’t look so worried.”  I needed the bedpan and I couldn’t do it without help.  Embarrassing but nothing serious.”

“Nothing to be embarrassed about.  We all know it is a two way passage.” Nico threw his head back and laughed.

Justin laughed and then groaned.  “Oh, that hurts.  Don’t make me laugh that hard.” Nico entertained Kevin and Justin until Brian arrived.

“What the hell? I leave and you have a party.”

“They need to go before I split my stitches,” Justin smiled at Kevin and Nico.  “Thank you for bringing Brian dinner and keeping me company.”

“We are out of here.  We have worn you out.” Kevin said as he walked over and squeezed Justin’s hand.  Let me know, us know, if there is anything we can do for you.”

“For either of you.” Nico added.

After Nico and Kevin had left, Justin looked at Brian, “Did you eat?”

“Yes, I ate and I let our kids know you needed to sleep now.  They will come in the morning.”

“Brian, lay down next to me.”

“I don’t think I should, what if I…”

“Just lay down on my good side.  I need to feel you next  to me to sleep.”

“Sure, Sunshine.” Brian gently laid down next to him and slipped his arm under Justin’s head.  Justin laid his head on Brian’s shoulder and was soon sleeping.


Justin went home two days later and for the next month he struggled and fought his way back.  By the end of the month, the therapist they hired had quit after two weeks.  Brinn had gotten instructions from Danny and took over but after the third day, she walked into Brian’s office and came around the desk, sat on Brian’s lap and put her head on his shoulder.

“Let me guess, your father just said something extremely nasty to you.”

‘How can my sweet Daddy turn into such a monster?”

Brian wrapped his arms around her tightly, “I’m sorry, Brinny.  I should have known it would get to this.  He doesn’t do well with, not so much with the pain but with inability to do what he knows he could do.”

“I know he will feel bad later but he really hurt my feelings.  I’ll wonder if he really meant them. He doesn’t play fair when he is in that mood, does he?”  Brinn stood up.  “I’ll go back and…”

“No, you won’t.  Go enjoy yourself.  Go to town.  Go see if Zach has anything.  Go screw his brains out in the office.  That is always fun.”

“But, Dad, Daddy needs…”

“I’ll go in there and help him do what he needs to do.”

“Are you sure? He is demonic right now.”

“I can deal with him.”

“I love you, Dad. I’ll be back tomorrow.” Brinn hugged him and kissed him.

“If you want to come back tomorrow, fine.  If not give it a couple days and then come back. I’m so sorry he hurt you.  Do you want to tell me what he said?”

“He just made a comment about Tina.  He knows she is off limits.  I know he doesn’t like her and I understand why but, he didn’t have to….never mind.  I’m going to find Zach and see if we can go out for a nice dinner.”

“You do that, Sweetheart, and if I were you, I wouldn’t come back until he apologizes.”

Brian walked her to the door.  As they passed the room set up for his work out they heard something crash against a wall. Brinn looked at Brian but he gently pushed her out the door. He took a deep breath to get his emotions in control.  He felt for Sunshine, but he had almost brought Brinn to tears and that was not acceptable, not for any reason.

Brian picked up his phone but then set it down.  He was going to call Dan.  He always called Dan when he needed strength to face Justin.  Oh, well, what the hell.  He picked up the phone and called Marcus.

“Brian is everything alright with Justin?”

“He is being a bastard to anyone that gets close right now. I just….Dan said you were a good listener.”

“Oh, Brian.  That is the sweetest thing you have ever said.  Do you want me to come and hang with him for a while?”

“Not today.  I couldn’t make you do that. If you want to stop by over the weekend?  By then I might need a couple hours away.”

“Just let me know what time works for you. As far as I know I should be free anytime.”

“Thanks, Marcus.  I will probably take you up on that, I just needed a friendly voice before I…” Brian stopped talking when he heard voices coming from down the hall.  “I’ll talk to you later.” He hung up and walked down the hall.

“Fuck you, Nico. I am not going to….”

“Justin, you are going to do this because even though you are acting like a jackass, I know it is because you are upset you are struggling.”

“Don’t touch me.  I told you not to...Ouch, you fucking son of a…” the words turned into a cry of sorts.

“Good job, Justin.  Let’s do that again.”

Brian leaned against the wall.  He was going to give Nico a raise.  

Twenty minutes later Nico found Brian in the kitchen. Brian walked over to him and kissed him right on the lips. “Take the night off.  Take Kevin out to a nice dinner and dancing.” He pulled his wallet out and handed him $400.”

“Brian, I didn’t do anything…”

“You risked your life going in there.  Maybe you didn’t know how dangerous that was.  My sweet Sunshine, can be vicious in this mood.”

“He just doesn’t feel like a man right now. He is a proud man reduced to needing assistance with so many things.”

“I know and I am glad you went in there because I was angry at the moment. I would have made it worse. What is he doing now?”

“He is relaxing in your room. I was going to bring him some water.”

“I will take it to him. You are off until tomorrow morning.”

“Thanks, Brian.  Just remember how much you love each other.”

With that Nico was down the hall to his room with his phone in his hand…”Kevin, get gorg….” and his bedroom door shut.

Brian went to the room with a bottle of water and walked in.  He heard a string of profanity coming from the bathroom and walked in to find Justin holding on to the shower wall. Without thinking about it he stepped under the steaming water fully clothed.

“Brian, what the hell are you doing?”

“I thought I was assisting you.”

“Did I ask for your fricken…” 

Brian wrapped his arms around Justin’s shoulders from behind and pressed Justin against the wall holding on to him.  He brought his mouth down to his ear and said, “The thing about loving someone is knowing what they need more than they know themselves. I love you, Sunshine.  You are getting better but I am here, you can't’ scare me off.” Justin fought him for a moment but then gave in and quit fighting, “If you don’t want to do anymore therapy, that’s your choice. But you can’t take it out on those around us.”

Justin turned in Brian’s arms and linked his hands behind his neck before burying his head into Brian soaked shirt.  After a few moments Brian whispered, “You need to sit down, Sunshine.” Brian helped him to the shower chair and once he knew he was sitting, Brian slipped out of his wet clothes.

“Is Brinn going to ever speak to me again?”

“You have some apologizing to do but right now, let’s get your hair washed so we can get out of here.”

After the major blow up, Justin really did his best to keep his temper under control and with the help of Nico and Brinn, he progressed and by the end of the month, he was doing well.  He was given the all clear for therapy and was told to just take it easy and slowly add to what he did each day.  Marcus had started stopping by every couple days and even though it was getting quite chilly they would take a short walk outside, adding a little distance each time. The fresh air seemed to do wonders for Justin’s mood and was definitely helping him physically.  He started with a cane but soon the only reason to take it was it was a habit.  

Now rather than worrying about Justin, Brian was concerned about Gus.  Shelby had been in touch with Brian and Justin daily to let them know Gus was starting to spiral over Trenton’s disappearance.  He had a shouting match with Tyler one day when Tyler refused to give him any information and at night he drank far too much.

Shelby stopped by her fathers in law’s house on her way home from work on Friday.  Justin noticed how tired she was.  He hugged her and she held onto him tightly. “I don’t have to ask how Gus is doing.”

“Oh, Justin, I worried about him.  Even if he got a text from him or something.  I’m supposed to go to help with Gabe this weekend but I don’t dare leave him alone.  He will just drink himself into a stupor and if he could get his hands on anything else….”

“Go, Shelby.  We’ll take care of our son.  You go enjoy that beautiful little boy. I will make Brian go somewhere and ask Gus to help me out this weekend.  Nico won’t mind staying at Kevin’s part of the time.”

“Oh, Justin, that would make me feel so much better. I have to admit, I really need a little time away and Baby Gabe is just what I need.” 

“I will text him and ask him to stay here as soon as you leave.”

“Thanks,  I know I don’t say it often but I hope you know how much I love you and Brian.  You have both been so good to me.”

“Awe, you love me? And you tell me this in front of my husband.” Brian walked into the kitchen and kissed Shelby’s temple.  

Shelby wrapped her arms around his waist.  “I just want you both to know I really do appreciate the two of you.  You have always been there for me, for us.”

“Shelby, you are our daughter. We may not share DNA but you’re ours.”

Shelby swallowed hard and then kissed Brian’s cheek and then Justin’s.  “Will you…”

“Texting him now.  Go enjoy yourself.  I’ll kick this one out tomorrow morning.”

“You what?” Brian asked as Shelby left.

“Brian, you need to go to see Trenton.  It’s time.  Gus needs to know he’s alright.  And Shelby needs a break so Gus is staying here this weekend with me.  If Trenton won’t come back maybe I can at least help him…”

“If anyone can help him, it’s you, Sunshine.  I will call Trenton’s retreat and see if he will talk to me either on the phone or in person but don’t worry about me.  I’ll go stay at the apartment above Wine and Design tomorrow night.”

“Damn, I’ll miss you.” Justin pressed himself against Brian.  “I am thinking maybe tonight we could….I know I have been unbearable and it’s been a month since….not that I’ve been keeping track.” 

Justin’s hand slipped over Brian’s cock and he sighed….”Are you sure?”

“Oh, ya, I’m sure.  You go to the room and I will be there as soon as I talk to Gus.”

Brian pulled Justin to him and started brushing his lips on Justin’s and then deepened the kiss long enough that both of them felt the need for so much more.  “Hurry, Sunshine.”

Justin spoke to Gus and he agreed to come over Saturday about noon and he would spend the rest of the day and stay over with him.  He could understand his dad wanting someone around.  Once he hung up, Justin ran his fingers through his silver touched hair and then did his best to walk, without limping, into the bedroom.  

Brian had undressed and slipped under the covers.  He wished he still looked as good as he did at 50 or even 60.  When Justin still looked so good…

Justin walked into the bedroom, doing his best to walk with confidence. He sat on the edge of the bed next to Brian and kissed him, “I hate when I miss seeing you undress. You know how much I love seeing you naked.”

“Oh, Sunshine, you always know what I’m thinking and even though I know you are lying, I love you for it. You’re the one who is still so beautiful that… you’ve barely changed since you were 40 and god you are still so sexy if I was younger and could get it up everytime I wanted to…”

Justin leaned back and laughed.  “I think it is time for an eye appointment.”

“I guess we are just both blinded by love,” Brian laughed.  

“Love and lust. I really do want you. No, beyond want.  I need you.” Justin stood and slowly undressed. He touched himself and moved close enough to the bed for Brian to reach out and touch him. As Brian’s hand traced Justin’s freshest scar Justin shivered.  After the last surgery his leg actually looked better.  The surgeon had done a good job blending the scars so it actually looked a bit better but as Brian continued to run his finger up and down the trail slowly, Justin needed so much more. Brian moved over so Justin could move in next to him. They moved slowly exploring every inch of each other.  It had been more than a month since they had done much more than kiss and touch a bit.  But tonight they both were not going to deny themselves. 

They were transported back thirty years.  It was like all their pains and stiffness disappeared and as they made love the second time they both clung to each other and the pleasure they were feeling. Later, as they lay in the comfort of each other’s arms, they talked about Gus.

“I hope Daniel’s is ready to come back.  I know Gus has really tried to hold it together but you and I both know, he can’t do it forever.  He doesn’t give up on those he loves.  I’m afraid he is going to start looking on his own.”

“Brian, you can convince him.”

“You would be better at that.You…”

“I’m not up to driving that far and I know you’ll do fine.  Maybe you should see if someone will ride along with you.  You said it was about two hours.  Maybe Zander and Brennon will go along with you.”

“I think I can manage to drive by myself. I have been doing it for more than 60 years.” He kissed Justin once more.  “We better get up or Nico will come looking for us.”

“I left him a note.  He knows to just leave dinner in the oven.”

“He has a big paper due so he is going to be in the barn a good part of the weekend starting tonight so he is off until Monday morning.”

“You know back in the day we would have been naked all weekend.” Brian’s hand trailed over Justin’s ass.

“You know, Bri, at our age, I think I enjoy this time almost as much as physically making love.  It reminds me why I love you and it isn’t just for your beautiful body.”


On Saturday morning, Brian and Justin stood in the shower and Justin saw a look come over Brian’s face. “Oh, Brian Kinney, I don’t know what you are thinking about but I haven’t seen that expression in a long time and it usually meant trouble.”

“You didn’t mention to Kevin or Nico I was leaving, have you?”

“No, we didn’t make any plans until later. Why, what are you thinking?”

“Since I am going away, why don’t we give those young men something more to gossip about.”

Justin felt a smile play on his lips, “Oh, that would be mean, wouldn’t it?”

Brian pulled Justin’s slippery, wet body against him.  “When I leave I’ll make a scene.”

“Oh, you don’t get all the fun.  It will start in the bedroom and we will take it into the hallway.  I’ll make sure Nico makes us lunch so he will be around.  You know within minutes after I pull out he will have Kevin over here.”

“It sounds like,” Brian’s mouth came close to Justin’s.  “If you weren’t such a little asshole we would have nothing to... “ Brian’s mouth crushed down on Justin’s.

“Will you stop! I’m not just your play toy!” Justin pushed him away.

“Oh, so that’s how we’re going to play this.” Brian swatted Justin’s bare ass hard enough to sting a bit.

“That hurt, you jerk!” Justin pulled away but almost fell because of the slippery floor. Brian caught him.

“Let’s not take it too far, Sunshine.”

Once Justin was on the dry floor, he pulled away from Brian.  “Get your hands off me. You can’t hit me and expect me to not care.”  Justin dried off   several feet away from Brian.  “How soon are you going to get out of here.  I don’t really want to see you right now.”  Justin knew he was pushing Brian’s buttons but it wasn’t as easy as it used to be.

“Sunshine, seriously? I didn’t mean we had to take it…” Brian walked toward him but he moved away.

“What do you think Gus would say if I told him you knew all along where Trenton is? He is going to be…”

“You knew where he was, too!”

“Yes, but you decided we should hold it from him.” Justin finished dressing. “You should get your ass out of here and come back tomorrow with some information. Gus can’t wait forever.  He is starting to meltdown.”

Bringing Gus into it hit a spot with Brian. He finished dressing silently and threw clothes in a bag. He then silently walked to the bathroom and packed his toiletries. As he sipped up his bag he moved to the door.  Justin followed him out the door, “So you are just going to leave now?” 

As if on cue, Nico peaked around the corner from the kitchen and snapped out of sight.  “You started this, Justin. You wanted to push my buttons, well you managed to do it.  You brought my son into this.”

“Your son?” that really did hurt Justin.  “Seems to me I was there the night he was born, too?” 

Brian continued to walk into the kitchen with Justin just a few steps behind him. Nico stood there sheepishly.  He had sandwiches and a salad made for them. “I’ll just take the sandwich and maybe you could put some of those chips in a bag and an apple.”

“Of course you are running off.  YOUR son will just cry on my shoulder tonight since it is your fault he’s crying.”

Brian turned around and looked at him, “Fuck you, Sunshine!”

“You did!  Twice last night!” Justin shouted as the door slammed. He heard Brian spin out and then dropped onto a stool.

“Oh, Justin, are you alright? What happened?”

Justin sighed, “I really don’t know.”  He almost told him it was supposed to be a joke but at the moment his heart hurt too much.  

“Here, sweety, you need to eat something.  You didn’t eat breakfast. I actually thought you.. Well I heard noises last night that…”

“Noises you didn’t expect two old guys to make.”

“I didn’t mean it that way.  I know you two are still active in …”

“Well, we are sometimes.  Not like in the movies we used to make but…”

“But I know you two love each other so much.”

“We do but back in the day we used to fight like this a lot for know specific reason other than we knew how to push each other’s buttons. But now I’m worried about him.”

“Where would he go?  Do you know?”

“All I  know is he won’t be back tonight.” Justin picked up a sandwich and took a bite.  “By the way, Gus is staying here tonight.  Shelby is going to spend some time with Taylor, Ian, and Gabe so Gus was going to come hang with us.  Now I guess it will be the two of us.  You don’t have to feed us though.  I want to cook for him.  I told him I’d make his favorite.”

“You know Brian didn’t mean what he said about your son.  You both were just heated and…” Justin finished his sandwich. “Is there any cake or cookies?”

“We have a cheesecake in the fridge.”

“That will do.” Nico brought the cake and went to get a plate for him.  “Don’t bother.” Justin sunk a fork into the creamy dessert and took a bite.  “Go, Nico, Gus will be here soon and this will help a lot.”

“Are you sure?”

“I am very sure.” Justin waved a hand in Nico’s direction.  You are off until Monday.  I know you have a paper to work on and then you deserve some time for fun with Kevin.”

“Alright, but I will be nearby in case you need anything.”

Nico had only been gone for a short time when Gus arrived. By then Justin had put the cheesecake away and had started making bread.  He and Gus used to love to work in the kitchen together and he thought it might be good for both of them.  Gus helped finish the dough and they put it to rise in a warm oven.  Both were very quiet while they worked but then Justin poured them both a glass of wine and they sat next to each other on the sofa.

“Dad, what’s wrong?  And don’t tell me nothing.  That might have worked when I was fourteen but not now.”

“Oh it is nothing serious.  Brian and I just had one of our crazy arguments before he left.”

“Where did Pops actually go?”

“Well, I thought he was going to a meeting and then he was going to decide if he was going to stay overnight or come home, depending on the time. Now I know he won’t be back tonight. It started out as a joke but then… Never mind.  I know we will be fine.  It will just be a lonely night.  How are you, Gussy? Shelby said ….”

“I know she’s worried about me and I’m glad she is getting away.  I know I am not any fun lately.  I just can’t….I am so worried about Pen and I miss him.  Yes, I miss the sex but more importantly, I miss him.”

“We were just talking about that last night after we made love.”

“Oooo, do I really have to hear about my parents having sex?”

“It’s better than watching us have sex.  That isn’t such a pretty sight these days.”

Gus hugged his dad, “You two look great for your age and the fact th at you still have sex gives me hope….” Gus dropped his head on Justin’s shoulder.  “I just want to know he is alright, Dad.  I don’t know if he has gotten worse or better.  What if he had another stroke and…”

The buzzer on the stove sounded. “I guess it is time to go make bread.  Let’s go make a bread braid and we can have it with dinner.”

“That sounds good.” As Gus began to work with the dough next to Justin he soon seemed calmer.  They continued to talk but neither of them was as tense as earlier.


Brian flew down the road.  How the hell did that happen? They hadn’t had a fight like that in years and especially one that was supposed to be a joke.  He knew he went too far with the comment about Gus being his son.  He would call him later.   Right now he needed to focus on what he was going to say to Daniels.  He hoped he was better.  He wasn’t sure he could go back and face Gus if Trenton wasn’t any better or could even be worse.  He turned into the drive to the retreat but he pulled over before he got to the building.  He pulled out his phone and texted Justin.  ‘I’m sorry things got out of hand’.  He waited for a few minutes but then drove on.


Justin and Gus had their hands full of flour and dough when Justin heard his phone ping.  “Don’t you want to get that, Dad?”

“I’ll check it after we get the bread in the pan.  It needs to get it rising if we want to eat it for dinner tonight.  And you need to decide what we are going to make for dinner. I have the ingredients for chili or those stuffed pork chops you always liked.”

“Can we make both? We could have the chops tonight and the chili tomorrow for lunch.”

“That sounds like a great idea and we can make a large pot of soup so you have some to take home to Shelby.” 


Brian pulled in at the lodge.  This was an upscale retreat that helped people with health issues.  All of them were wealthy people who wanted privacy.  Each patient had their own small cabin but they could go to the main lodge if they wanted company.  He could only imagine that Trent hadn’t left his cabin since he was here. He wondered if he even missed Gus.  He didn’t understand how he could just leave him like he did.

Brian walked into the lodge.  He had let them know he was coming.  He said he wanted to talk to either Trent or his caregiver.  He moved to the front desk where a young man sat.  He gave his name. “Oh, Mr. Kinney, I was told you would be coming.  If you would like to take a seat I will let Vicki know you are here.  She has been assigned to Mr. Pen since he arrived.”

As Brian sat and waited he thought of the irony that Trenton used Gus’ pet name as his name here for privacy.  It was about fifteen minutes later when a middle aged woman walked in.  “Mr. Kinney, I apologize for the wait.  I know you aren’t used to being kept waiting.”

“In my day that might have been true but now I’m retired and don’t have to rush nearly as much.”

“I know you are retired but I also know you hold a place on many boards and you and your husband are philanthropic.   I have heard you are always willing to help a good cause.”

“That’s very nice of you to say.  We have been very fortunate in our careers and enjoy helping when we can. Now, not to rush you but I would really like to hear what you are allowed to tell me about Trenton.”


“Mr. Pen said I could speak to you.”

“Is he going to speak to me?”

“He hopes to a little later. Do you have specific questions?”

“Mainly, he didn’t get worse did he? My son needs to know he’s alright.  He thinks he drove him away to do something drastic.”

“Well, he did do something drastic by coming here but it was the good kind of drastic.”

“So he has improved?”

“I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  He speaks highly of you and your husband and he loves your son with all his heart.”

“So do you think he will talk to me?”

“He is a bit nervous.  I am about the only person he has talked to.  Do you have plans where you will stay tonight? I heard you were going to stay overnight in the area.”

“I haven’t looked for a place yet.  I know we have several hotels within an hour.”

“If you are interested we do have guest rooms here.   I think Trenton will have dinner with you and if he feels comfortable he might be in the mood to talk for a while. These roads are not the easiest to drive at night. The rooms are very nice.”

“That sounds good.  At my age I don’t like to drive at night that much.”

“Well, let me get you settled and then I will go talk to Mr. Pen.”


After Justin and Gus had dinner started, Gus went to check some business messages so Justin took the opportunity to look at the message.  He had to smile. He texted Brian, ‘Sorry too.  I love you.’  He had barely hit send and the phone rang.

Brian had been shown to his room and was just relaxing when the text had come in.  He had a beautiful view and as he heard Justin’s voice come on the phone the sun was dipping below the mountains but his mood lifted. “Oh Sunshine, what were we doing?”

“We ended up doing what we used to do frequently.  Just got carried away with unimportant things.”

“I know I went way too far.  Gus is your son as much as Brinn is my daughter.  I can just be so stupid. I’m the one who thought a fake fight would be fun.”

“It did that!”Justin laughed and Brian’s heart skipped. 

“And I won’t be there for make up sex. You didn’t have fight sex with….”

“Excuse me? I think you know me better than that now.”

“I know but I’m an old man with a beautiful younger husband who doesn’t get it as much as….”

“Shut up and tell me you love me before you dig a deeper hole.”

“Oh, I love you, Sunshine.”

“I love you, too, Brian. Now, have you seen Trent?”

“I am having dinner with him in about half an hour.  I am just staying here at the resort tonight. The room is very nice so don’t worry about me driving anywhere tonight.”

“Thank you for telling me that.  I didn’t know if I should ask but I didn’t want you on the road alone tonight.” Brian heard Justin say something off the phone.  “Gus and I have bread to check and our dinner needs to be finished.  See you tomorrow?”

“I’ll be home sometime.  I will let you know an estimated time tomorrow.”

“I love you, Bri.”

“Love you, too, Justin.”

“Sounds like you two made up.” Gus kissed Justin’s cheek.

“Ya, all the sudden I am much hungrier. Let’s check that bread and we better stir our chili.”


There was a knock on Brian’s door and Vicki led him out of the building, “I hope you don’t mind  It’s a nice evening and it isn’t far.  I figured you mind walking.”

“When you knocked I was admiring the view.  This is a great place to recuperate from whatever it might be.” He stopped for a moment.  “Vicki, can you give me a little idea what to expect?”

“I’ll just say, I don’t think you have anything to worry about. It’s just down this path.  He is a little nervous.  He has a great respect for you and your husband and the fact that he just skipped out and Gus has worried…”

“I have known he was here since the third day.” 

“He doesn’t know that.  I didn’t know that.”

“My brother in law found him and talked to someone here.  But it has been long enough.  If Trenton needs more time he needs to tell Gus that.”

“Here we are.” They stood in front of a lovely cottage.  “I will leave you now.  If you would like an escort back to the lodge later, Trenton knows what to do.

“Thank you for your assistance today.”

“My pleasure.” Vicky turned and strode away.

Brian turned to see the door opening and Trenton Daniels stood in front of him. “Brian, welcome.  Please, come in.”  Brian was surprised he barely heard the slur in his voice. He walked into the small but lovely house and looked around.  There was a small table that was set for two.  “Our food will be here in a few minutes.” Brian looked at him and Trent directed him into the small living room and Brian sat.  “I hope you had a nice…”

“Daniels, I don’t mean to be rude but, my son is falling apart because he doesn’t know where the person he loves is and I have been keeping it from him since you got here.”

“You...have..know…” his speech failed him a bit.

“Tyler found you but we decided you deserved time to regain yourself but now it is time for you to contact him, whether that is coming back with me or calling him but it is beginning to affect his life and therefore Shelby’s, too.”

“Will you drive me home tomorrow?”

“Are you sure?”

“I have missed Gus so much.  I...was scared he may have moved on and I wouldn’t have blamed him.”

“You know Gus doesn’t work that way.  He loves you. It has nothing to do with anything else.” 

“I just didn’t know…” the door opened and a server walked in carrying a basket and quickly set the food up on the table and then slipped out.  “Are you hungry?”

“Yes, I am, and I have to admit I am quite tired.  My age is catching up with me.”

They kept the conversation light as they ate.  Brian told him about Nico and Kevin and they both laughed as they talked about the gossipy young men. “I could live here with these views and this food. Do people just come out here to take a break?”

“They do, from what they tell me. Everyone stays in their own private area. I moped the first couple weeks but the speech therapist was excellent and I started improving even though it was hard work and then I started writing. I have almost finished a novel while I was here and Gus was the inspiration.  As I wrote I got scared he wouldn’t want me back.”

“He wants you back.  What time can you be ready? Should we say 10:00? I will tell Justin to have a late lunch ready for us.” Brian stood and walked toward the door.

“Thank you, Brian.  I….” Trenton, uncharacteristically, hugged him.  “Thank you for pushing me. Are you alright walking back?”

“I’ll be fine.  It isn’t dark yet. I will see you in the morning.”

Justin and Gus had a nice evening. They ate dinner and then popped popcorn and watched some old movies together.  It warmed Justin’s heart to see him relax and really smile but he also saw the sadness from deep inside.

As they laid on the sofa together like they had done so many times when he was young, Justin wrapped his arm around him tightly. “No word from Trenton?”

“Dad, if he doesn’t come back soon, I don’t think he will come back. What if he got sicker and know one knows who he is or…”

“Gus…” Justin almost told him that Brian had seen him tonight.  “You have always said you feel he is ok.  Just believe that.”

“I just want to be able to tell him I love him.” He turned into Justin’s arms and Justin was sure he was crying softly. It was killing him not to tell him.  They dozed off for a while but then they went to bed.  It wasn’t discussed.  Gus just got in bed with Justin and soon they were both sleeping but not before Justin glanced at his phone and saw Brian’s message.  He was bringing Trenton back with him. They should be back around lunch.  He would send the time in the morning.

Gus was up and working first thing in the morning.  While he worked in Brian’s office, Justin called Brian.  “Hi Brian, god, I missed you last night.  I shared the bed with Gus but I knew you were alone in that beautiful place and I just…  How is he?”

“Physically he is very good but emotionally, he is a little shaky.  I think a couple nights together and they will both feel much better.”

“I’ll have something ready for lunch that, oh hell, you know Gus and Trenton aren’t going to want to be with anyone but each other.”

“Once Gus and Trenton are together maybe you and I can give them a little time alone at our place.  We can find something to do.”

“I think Adam is here again this weekend.  I’ll check if they want to eat lunch with us and Trent and Gus can have a private lunch.”

“That sounds good to me. I like Adam more than I thought I would.”


It was nearing noon when Justin got the message they would be there in fifteen minutes.  Justin finished making lunch just as Gus walked into the kitchen.  “Is Pops about here? I’m hungry.”

“Yes, he’ll be here in about ten minutes.  I just remembered we are out of the chardonnay Brian likes so much.  There are some in the chilled area in the barn storeroom.  Could you go grab a couple bottles.”

“I’ll just take the four wheeler and grab a case.  Be back in five.”

Gus was barely out of sight when Justin heard Brian’s car coming up the driveway.  Justin talked quickly and explained where Gus was while he got in the car with Brian and they drove away. Gus arrived back at the house and with a case of white wine in his hand he strode into the kitchen.  “Dad, I…..”

“Hello Gus.” Trenton said softly as their eyes met.

“Pen!”





Chapter 14 by Simply written

Chapter 14


“Trenton, is that really you?” In a daze Gus walked over and set the case of wine down on the table. As he stared, Trenton took long, steady strides over to him and pulled him into his arm.

“Gus, I’m so sorry I left without telling you.  I…”

Gus’ mouth brushed Trenton’s so tentatively he wasn’t sure if they actually touched but the shiver that ran through both of them told them they had.  Gus’ arms went around his neck and Trent’s arms pulled him tightly against his body.  Feeling the strength in them the gentleness of Gus’ kiss was gone and the passion took over. 

When they separated to catch their breath, Trenton said, “I am so sorry.  I know…”

“Shhh.  We need to talk but first we need to love.”  Gus took Trent’s hand and led him to the bed he had shared with Justin last night. Once they were undressed and stood looking at each other, he said, “You look so good, Pen.  God, I have missed you so much.” He sat on the edge of the bed and reached for Trenton. He moved to the bed and pressed Gus backward as he joined him on the bed. Gus soon found out that Trenton’s time away had not hindered his skill and he was thinking it might have actually increased it somehow.  As Trent drove into him he changed his angle just enough to change the pressure, driving Gus into a frenzy.  He tried to hold on but within seconds he had shattered in an explosion he had never felt before.  As Trenton finished, Gus nearly passed out from the second orgasm he had within a couple minutes. Trenton collapsed onto the mattress, pulling Gus against him and they napped.


“You do know we are going to have to change the sheets when we get back,” Brian said as they drove to Marcus’.

“I would change every bed in the house to see Gussy happy.  My heart broke for him last night and I think he is going to be a bit upset when he finds out we knew where he was but he will understand once he processes it.”

“I hope so.  So why is Adam around this weekend?” Brian still had a wariness about him.

“Marcus invited him. As much as he loved Dan and as close as they were, Dan never shared much of his childhood with him.  Even though Adam and Dan didn’t grow up together, Adam is helping him understand Dan.”

“He couldn’t know anything.  They only met a couple times.”

“Brian, if it makes Marc feel better it is worth it. It isn’t your choice.”  They pulled up and got out of the car.  Justin stepped into Brian’s arms. “Welcome home, by the way.” They kissed.  “I plan on makeup sex later, just to give you a heads up.” He quickly kissed Brian once more and then headed to the opening door. He laughed as he heard Brian growl low in his throat.  He still loved that man with all his heart.

“Marc, thanks for the invite.” Justin hugged and kissed his friend and then moved on and hugged Adam.  He kissed him on the cheek without thinking.  “Oh, I’m sorry, Adam.  I know we are probably more touchy feely than you appreciate. I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable.”

“Don’t worry about me. I have gotten over the homophobia long ago.  I am not saying I don’t mess up on what I say sometimes but I truly don’t mean anything by it.”

“You’re among friends here.” Marcus smiled over at his brother in law.  

Brian hugged Marcus and offered his hand to Adam.  “I’m not as big a hugger as these two.”

“So tell me, is Trenton back?”  Marcus asked

“He is. Gus is with him at our house right now and I am guessing they will head to Trenton’s later.”

“I bet our bed is getting a better workout than it has in a long time.”

“Well, it better rest up fast because I plan to be using it….  Sorry.” Justin said in Adam’s direction as he slipped his arm around Brian and kissed him.

“Don’t be sorry.  I am glad to know Dan had this much love around him. When I finally woke up I didn’t blame him for not wanting a relationship.  It is my fault we weren’t a family.”

Surprisingly, Brian spoke up, “No, it was your father’s fault that you weren’t a family.  You were taught by him. So, what’s for lunch?”

They ate and talked.  At one point Adam looked at Brian, “I was looking through an old box of pictures that Marc set aside for me.  He didn’t know some of the people.  I think it was about the time you met each other.  Would you look through them with me after lunch?” 

“Sure.  Justin is probably better at names.”

“Some of these seem to be later but Justin isn’t in any of them.”

“We were separated more than once, especially before Gus lived with us all the time, well there were a few times after that, too,” Brian said.

“It took us  both a while to get our shit together.  Neither of us are the easiest to live with.” Justin added as his hand slipped into Brian’s lap and Brian pulled him closer.  “I’ll help you clean up, while these two look at pictures.”

Brian followed Adam to Dan’s home office.  Brian could almost see Dan sitting behind the desk.  Adam placed a hand on his shoulder, ‘Thanks for being the brother I couldn’t be.”

“Oh, trust me, I wasn’t his brother.  We were friends with benefits through a good portion of our friendship.” He watched Adam’s reaction and, although he saw some surprise, he didn’t see any withdrawal. “I don’t know what your ideas of sex are or were but we were always safe but we definitely played.” Brian walked toward the desk, “So are the pictures in here?” He took the lid off the plastic box in the center of it.  He sat in Dan’s chair and paused just a second before reaching and pulling out the top picture.  “Wow, I had no idea he still had any pictures of Andre.  I actually thought he had destroyed them all shortly after they broke up.”

“Andre?”

“Ya, I can’t even remember his last name.  When we moved into the secret garden, Andre lived with Dan but it wasn’t long before he started cheating on Dan.”

“All do respect, Brian, didn’t you just say you fooled around all the time?”

“Yes, but by that time we did it together.  We would play as a group.  If we had a fight there were a few times we may have found a trick, not that we paid for sex but you know what I mean.  But Andre lied and cheated.  Does that make sense? He really hurt Dan and Dan didn’t get serious with anyone again until Marcus.  Well were a few short term relationships I think, especially when we were in Pittsburgh and he was still in New York.  He never looked at another person after Marcus.” Brian stopped talking as he flipped through some of the pictures. “I just realized I really gave Marc a shitload of attitude after Dan died.  All he ever did was love him.  He never gave him any reason to doubt his love.  The only time they were separate because they disagreed was a short time with Danny and that was just because Dan was scared he didn’t know how to be a father.  He was the best.”

Adam held up a photo of Dan holding an award.  “What is this from?”

“Dan won a few awards but I think this is from the time he saved Justin from a crazy artist.  Justin would have been killed if it wasn’t for Dan but he felt he failed that mission because someone was killed.  He did everything he could and I think many more would have been killed if it wasn’t for him, including my Sunshine and who knows, maybe me too.”

Brian commented on a few more pictures and as they got farther through the stack Brian went quiet.  He picked up a picture of a small boy and showed it to Adam, “Is this you?”

“It is.  I don’t know if I have ever seen this.”

“If I had to guess he took this with a long distance lens.  He took trips a couple times a year,” Brian dug through the box and pulled out a few more pictures of Adam at different ages.  Adam wasn’t looking at the camera on any of them.  I think he was checking on his baby brother.”

“Damn.  I wish I would have known.” He held up a picture of him as a very young teen. “If I had known he cared I might have,” Adam turned away from Brian and put his head in his hands. He softly cried for a few moments. Brian pushed the box of tissues that was on the desk, closer to him. Adam took a couple tissues and then took a deep breath, blew his nose, and wiped his eyes. “Sorry, I just know I missed out on a great guy and I don’t blame him for not wanting to get involved when I tried to connect.”

Brian walked around the desk to Adam and put his arms around him.  “Well, you are here now and we will tell you as much about him as we can.”  Brian led him to the sofa that was against the wall and, putting his arm around Adam’s shoulders, he started  talking.


“Do you think it is a good thing or a bad thing that Brian and Adam are still in the office? I thought they would be out an hour ago.” Marcus asked Justin as they sat on the sofa sipping wine.

“In his younger days, this would be terrifying,” Justin laughed. “But whatever is going on in there I think is good for both of them. Brian hasn’t talked about his best friend nearly enough and you know you don’t push Brian into anything.”

“Justin, what do you really think of Adam? I am not just blind because he reminds me of Dan, am I? I see honesty and true remorse.”

“I agree.  I think he was a victim of his upbringing and he learned later in life what is really important.”  Justin took Marc’s hand and squeezed it.

“If I’m crazy, tell me but I am thinking about inviting him on a trip to New York City.  Dan’s office there has papers I need to sign. I have sold that office and want to go and collect the few personal items Dan has there.  I just think Adam would enjoy that and I would have someone with me to face it.”

“I think Adam would be perfect but if he can’t go, I know I would go with you and I bet Brian would, too.  If our cottage isn’t booked I would love to spend a few days there.” Both of the cottages were used for both visiting clients for Kinnetik and also as a hiding place for people that need to disappear due to threats in Dan’s business.

“Well, as soon as we pick dates we can just request they leave the secret garden for us.” Marcus looked in the direction of the office.

“You stay here, I’ll go check on them.” Justin got up and started walking.

“Justin, I just have to say I am so glad you went through with the surgery.  I haven’t seen you walk with such comfort for so long.”

Justin smiled at his friend and then continued toward the office.

Brian and Adam had been talking for two hours.  Brian remembered things he hadn’t thought of in thirty years. When they heard a soft knock on the door they both jumped. Justin walked in without waiting for a response.  

“Glad to see you are both alive.  We were starting to wonder.  You have been in here a long time.  We’ve finished off a bottle of wine already.”  

Brian stood and walked over to Justin.  He put his arms around him and kissed him. “We just started talking, I guess.” He gently kissed Justin.  “I love you.”

Justin smiled up at him.  “It must have been a good talk.” He could see  Brian was at peace, maybe more peace than he had since Dan’s death. “If you are done, Marcus and I have been talking, too.”

Brian kept one arm tightly around Justin’s waist.  “Why does that scare me a bit?”


Gus turned into Trenton, half laying on top of him. “I really want to know where you have been and what’s been going on but, why don’t we talk as we drive to your house.  My dads are going to want to come home sometime.  

“Yes,” Trenton dropped a kiss on Gus’ nose. “I missed you so much.”

“Oh, god, you don’t know how worried I was and how much I needed you. We can use the shower and then get out of here.” Gus got out of bed and Trenton watched his lean, naked body as he walked away.  He loved that he could see by his walk he was still feeling him. He got up and followed Gus into the bathroom.

A half hour later they were heading out the door.  They had stripped the bed and threw the sheets in the washer before they left. As they left the house, Nico was walking up.  

“Gus, well, I don’t have to ask.  This is Mr. Daniels!” Nico turned to Trenton, “I have read every book you have written.  I would love to talk to you sometime about your writing.  I am working on my Master’s thesis in literature.  Oh, I am so sorry.  You two were on your way out.”

“Pen, this is Nico.  He is working for my dads.”

“Nico, nice to meet you. Ask Brian or Justin for my number.  I would enjoy speaking to you.” 

“Oh, I know you are off this weekend but if you are around for a bit, could you throw the load in the dryer?”

“Sure, no problem, and thank you Mr. Daniels.”  

As they got in Gus’ car, he looked over at Trenton, “I am so impressed with your recovery.  I am sure Nico couldn’t even notice the ever so slight hesitancy in your speech.  I actually forgot for a minute that you couldn’t talk a couple months ago.” Gus stopped talking for a moment, and looking straight ahead his voice cracked as he asked, “Why did you disappear? Why didn’t you tell me you were going?”

Trenton reached for Gus’ hand but he wouldn’t let him take it. “Gus, I knew I couldn’t be a burden on you and Shelby any more.  I was straining your relationship and that wasn’t fair to either of you.”

“But you didn’t tell me….I just knew you were alive but I….”

“Your dads knew where I was.  By the third day Tyler had found me but they respected my need for privacy. I need to show you I am still a man.”

Gus’ heart softened a bit and he reached for Trent’s hand.  “I never doubted you were a man,” he said softly.

“I doubted. I couldn’t imagine you wanting to be saddled with an old, disabled man.  I know Shelby was over it.”

“You were not the reason Shelby had problems. Shelby had a lot of other things going on and she knows that now.  You were just what pushed her over the edge. Did she know where you were?”

“I don’t know.  I doubt it.”

“So do I. I don’t think she would have kept it from  me. I hope she wouldn’t have.”

Pen brought Gus’ hand to his mouth and kissed it. “I  need to warn you, I still have some mood issues but now I realize it. So if I ask for some space… it is so I won’t be rude.”

Gus pulled up to Trenton’s house and watched his face change.  He began tearing up.  As soon as the car stopped, he was out and walking to the door.  Gus gave him a little space and got Trent’s bags out of the back along with his overnight bag. When he got to the door, Trenton was already in the house and looking out to the backyard.  Gus set the bags down and walked up to him and slipped his arms around his waist.    He kissed Trenton under his ear.  “I love you, Pen.  I was going crazy not knowing where you were.”

“Do you think it is too chilly to go out on the deck?” he turned and pulled Gus close making his need known.

“I think we have plenty of blankets and we could start the outside heater.” Trent was already undoing Gus’ waistband. 

“Trent,” Trenton’s mouth was trailing down his neck. “Oh god, Pen, I need five minutes.  I need to let Shelby know I will be here…” Trent’s hand moved into Gus’ pants.  “Go start the heater, get out the blankets and get rid of that clothes.” He ground his pelvis against him. “Less than five minutes.”  Gus texted Shelby that Trent was home and was it alright if he stayed there overnight.

His phone rang immediately.  “Gus, how is he?  Where was he? How did he get home?”

“He is wonderful, Shel.  I haven’t gotten all the answers yet but Pops brought him home earlier today.  We just got to his place and he needs to get settled in.  We may need to go get him some groceries.  I will be home for dinner tomorrow.”

“Gus, don’t rush. Just let me know.  I will just stay and play with Gabriel until tomorrow. He is such a sweet baby.”

“Give him a kiss from his grandpa.  And, Shel, I love you. I know I haven’t been easy to live with the last couple weeks.”

“I love you, too, Gus.  I will see you tomorrow night.”


Brian and Justin left Adam and Marcus late in the afternoon.  They had planned out the trip to New York City.  The only thing they had to do is call the office on Monday and see when both cottages were available. “I know we didn’t plan on taking a trip to New York but when Marcus mentioned it, I just thought it would be fun to go.  I know you haven’t been to that office for a long time.”

“I don’t work there anymore.”

“No, you just own it and are President of the Board.” They pulled up to the house and walked to the door. “I guess we better go change the sheets before it is late.  I plan to use that bed tonight.” He ran his hand over Brian’s ass. 

“Yes, I would guess they might have stripped the bed but I wouldn’t expect them to stick around and remake it.”

As they walked into the kitchen they were surprised to find fresh flowers in a vase and the table was set for a romantic dinner.  “Brian, did you ask Nico to do this?”

“I  had nothing to do with this. I see a note.”  Brian walked over and read it.  “Dinner will be ready at 6:00.  There is salad and dessert in the refrigerator.  I didn’t work hard.  It is all food from George.  I will not be in tonight.  Nico”

“He is really a thoughtful young man.” Justin commented.  “You know, that gives us time to make the bed and maybe a little warm up.” Justin began to stroke Brian’s fly.  

“Are you trying to say it will take me that long to get it up?” Brian grabbed Justin’s ass.  “Just the thought of that firm ass still makes my cock twitch.”

“That’s big talk for an 80 year old man,” Justin laughed and took Brian’s hand.  “Show me what you got.  Together it won’t take us…” Justin stopped talking when he walked into the bedroom and saw the bed with fresh sheets and turned down with flower petals across the pillows.  The bedside lights were on a low setting and, although they weren’t sure what was causing it, but there was a soft fragrance throughout that was a mixture of bergamot and sandalwood. There was even soft music playing.

Brian pulled Justin tightly against him. Justin didn’t have to wonder if Brian was interested. “I don’t know what happened yesterday but let’s promise we will never fake a fight again.” Brian began to dance with him. “Let’s make sure we go dancing when we are in NewYork. I miss holding you in my arms like this and now that your leg is better I think we can find some place in Manhattan that I can hold you in my arms until I am too tired to stay on my feet.” They still swayed to the music.

They slowly undressed each other taking time to touch and taste the exposed skin.  They laid down and Brian positioned himself above Justin and Justin adjusted his leg so Brian could enter with them looking face to face. Neither of their bodies could stay in this position as long they could fifty years ago but as Brian slipped in the years slipped away. Brian moved closer and kissed him and continued to increase his speed.  

Justin’s arms wrapped around his neck.  “Brian, it’s like the first time.” As the words came out he cried out as pleasure ran through him and as Brian’s mouth melded with his Brian shivered and joined Justin in waves of gratification.  Brian collapsed on top of him and then rolled off. Justin did half a roll so he was pressed against Brian.

“It wasn’t quite like the first time but, damn, it was good.” Brian purred, kissing Justin’s temple.

“You know, I don’t think I ever had sex without thinking of the first time.”

“I’m not sure I ever had sex after that night that I didn’t think of you. From the first night you just knew me. You knew what I needed.”

“You hungry? I seem to have worked up an appetite.” Justin got out of bed and walked to the bathroom and by the time he came out, Brian was out of bed and had put on a robe. Justin kissed him as he walked past.  “I’ll go check on dinner.”

As they sat down to eat the amazing meal.  Justin had lit the candles and poured the wine. As they ate Justin looked over at Brian, “Can you tell me what you and Adam talked about today?”

“I realized some of Dan’s mystery trips, remember those?” Justin nodded.  “He was checking out Adam.  He was making sure Adam was alright.  There were pictures of him at all ages, all taken with a long range lens.   He was never far from Dan’s thoughts. After we realized that, I just started telling him stories.  We talked about how Andre broke his heart and he was so careful until he met Marcus. Adam just wanted to know anything about his big brother.  I can’t know why Dan didn’t bring him in to meet everyone but I am sure he would be glad to know Marcus is building a healthy relationship with him. Adam would be so proud of whe Adam is.”

“No wonder you talked so long and no wonder you agreed to the New York trip right away.”

“Sunshine, I’m not being morbid but, we are both healthy right now and we may not have a lot more opportunities to go with friends. I want to spend a night in our little cottage in the secret garden.   There are so many good memories there.”

Justin moved nearer and Brian met him halfway. After they kissed Justin said, “Let’s go to the hot tub.  I have to admit, I may have pulled some muscles I haven’t used in a long while.  He stood and picked up the bottle of wine and grabbed his own class.  “We can have dessert later, or tomorrow if we find something else to do later tonight.”

“Like sleep?” Brian laughed.

“Ya, that probably is about all I will have the energy for anything more but it will be together.  Last night Gus slept with me but, as much as I love our son, I wanted you there.” They slipped into the tub, leaving their robes on a chair.


“Didn’t I tell you they would be out there naked?”  Nico whispered to Kevin in the shadows on the other side of the fence.   

“Damn, they are really still in good shape. Do you think they will have sex?”

“They never just have sex.  They make love and I bet it is beautiful.” Nico moved a hand to Kevin’s ass.  “I don’t think they are going to do anything.  I could see they had already been in their bedroom so I am guessing they will just hang in the water for a while and then go to bed.”

“Going to bed sounds good to me,” Kevin responded.

“Your place or the barn?”

“My place. The bed is much more comfortable.”


Gus and Trenton spent most of the night on the porch.  They lay naked under a mound of blankets.  The heater was warming the air just enough that they were very comfortable in their cocoon. After they made love Trenton told Gus about the retreat and the services.  He told him about a time when he was about to give up and how Vicki had helped him talk through it. As he talked his speech started to slur more.  “I must be tired.”

“Oh, Pen, I have probably worn you out.” Gus snuggled just a little closer and kissed him.  “I’ll go  make some dinner and you rest for a bit. Anything you are hungry for?”

“Anything is fine.  I’ve gotten all I needed to make me happy today.” As Gus stood, Trenton reached for his hand, “Gus Kinney, I love you.”

“I love you too, Pen, and I am so glad you are home.” He grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around him, as he walked into the house.  Gus took his time.  He was sure Pen could use a nap. Hell, he could use a nap but they both could use some food and then, if they rested, he was sure he could go another round. His body was singing from the physical activity and the exhaustion was definitely worth it. 

Since he was sureTrenton was sleeping, he took his time and made some homemade soup that was in the freezer and baked some biscuits that he had filled with cheese.  He found thick slabs of ham in the freezer and browned them to layer in the biscuits. After he pulled the biscuits out of the oven he went to wake up Trenton.

“Pen, darling, dinner is ready.”

“Wow, how long have I been sleeping?”

“Probably 45 minutes. You needed it.  Come in and eat.” Gus offered his hand and Trenton pulled him in for a kiss and then he stood up and leaned on Gus.  

“I’m sorry, I’m such an old man.  I just don’t have the energy I used to.”

“Shit, Pen, I don’t have the energy I had twenty years ago.  I love your body but spending time with you means so much more.  I hope you know that.” Gus placed his arm around Trenton’s waist and they entered the house.


The weekend flew by and when Monday came around everyone felt refreshed and were ready for the week.  Brian had called the New York office on Monday and, with no hesitation,  they said the secret garden would be free on Friday and no one was scheduled to be there for the next three weeks. He immediately called John, “Hey John.”

“Uncle Brian, how are you? It’s been a couple weeks.  I hope all is well?”

“How would you and Tony like to spend a couple weeks in New York City?”

“New York? What’s going on there?”

“Marcus, Adam, Justin and I are going to spend time there.  I just thought the two of you might enjoy some time in the city.  If you don’t want to stay there you can just fly us there and back.”

“When would you like to go?”

“Friday, but I am sure we could get tickets or talk to one of the other pilots.”

“I need to talk to Antonio but I don’t think he has plans.  I would love to get away.”

“Why don’t the two of you go on to Ibiza for 10 days.  Then you can pick us up on the way home.”

“Oh, Uncle Brian!  That sounds perfect.”

“John, is everything alright?”

“Of course it is.  We just get so focused with the grandkids and the boards he is on… I just feel like we haven’t lived for us in a while.  I love the place in Ibiza and it has been so long since we went there.”

“Well, give me a call after talking to Tony.  You could stop and see Jonna in Milan.”

“Oh, Brian, I will call you after talking to Tony but I am sure we can make it work.”


On Friday morning the six men met at the airport.  Adam had rushed back to Seattle to get his office in order and met them at the airport.  He was stunned by the plane owned by Kinnetik.  It was very lush and John had even hired someone to work the cabin. There was a full breakfast waiting for them to eat once they were in the air and after serving the cockpit, the passengers in the cabin were served.   The mimosas flowed freely.

“You know, I know on paper you have a lot of money but when I have been with you, you never give off that vibe and until I saw this plane I almost forgot.”

“Well, Marcus owns half of the plane.” Brian commented

“But we figured out it works better when we use our halves together.” Justin said as he leaned against Marcus and laughed.

“No more mimosas for you,” Brian said with the corner of his mouth coming up.

“Brian, did you say they have put in a new spa?” Marcus asked as he pushed Justin over toward Brian.

“Yes, I haven’t seen it yet but I have heard it is very nice.  We decided the guests that stayed there deserved the best,” Brian had trouble finishing the sentence because Justin was now kissing his neck.  

Adam glanced at Marcus and saw the longing in his eyes.  “I know I am not my brother,” he slipped his arm around Marcus’ shoulder and pulled him close, “But I have a couple shoulders that are waterproof.” 

Marcus wrapped his arms around Adam’s neck and whispered, “Thank you.  I’m fine but a hug is always welcome.”

The remainder of the flight the four men enjoyed each other’s company.  Brian joined John for a bit and Tony came back and chatted with Adam.  And before they knew it John got on the loudspeaker and asked them all to buckle up for the landing.

John and Tony went their own way once they got out of the plane.  They were flying out on a commercial flight in the morning for Milan.  Then they were flying to Ibiza with Jonna and her partner.  They would return in two week and fly them back to the vineyard. Brian watched them walk away. Justin  wrapped his arms around his waist.  “They have come a long way, haven’t they?” He kissed Brian’s jawline and let his hand run down his back and rest on his ass.

“You are still tipsy.”

“You never used to complain if I wanted sex.  And I mean anywhere.”

“Oh, trust me, Sunshine, I am not complaining.  I don’t think there is a square inch of the garden we didn’t have sex in. There was a time I wasn’t sure John and Tony would make it.  Tony fooled around a lot when he was young but I never doubted he loved John.  He is just his character but I think after John gave him an ultimatum several years ago, he straightened up.”

“It didn’t hurt that you put him in the main office where he wasn’t around all the young men in intimate, small rooms like you have in a hotel.”

Adam and Marcus had walked ahead and were now standing at the curb. “Did we have a car coming or do we need to get a taxi?” Marcus asked.

“I think I see our ride pulling up,” Brian said as a stretch limo pulled up. 

When the car had stopped a young woman popped out of the front door, “Uncle Justin!” and ran into his arms. 

“Dahlia, what are you doing here?”

“Brian ordered a limo from my husband’s company so I decided to ride along.”

“Oh, I planned to call your mom tomorrow so we could get together.  How is she?”

“Ask her yourself.” Dahlia stepped to the side and her husband was offering his hand to Daphne.  Justin nearly knocked Dahlia off her feet as he rushed to his oldest friend.

“Justin, you are as gorgeous as ever!” Daphne pulled him close.  She was an attractive woman whose hair now was streaked with silver. “And how come you don’t look any older?”  Justin didn’t say anything, but held her close. 

Adam looked at Marcus, “I haven’t met her but she is Justin’s childhood friend.  They lived together when they finished college and moved here.”

“Daph, how is one of my favorite women?”  He looped an arm around Daphne’s waist. 

“I can tell you haven’t lost your charm.” She kissed his cheek. “Justin is still one lucky guy.”

Brian laughed but then looked down at her, “You know I’m the lucky one.”

“We better get in the car or we are going to get  in trouble for sitting here too long.  You can make introductions once we are on the road.”

Daphne and the men got in the back of the limo and as they drove into the city.  Justin introduced Marcus and Adam to Daphne and they chatted all the way to the garden.  They planned dinner for tomorrow evening and the men got out of the car.   Their luggage was set by a building and Daphne and her family drove away.

Adam looked around, not even noticing the gate tucked between two buildings.  “Am I missing something? Why did they drop us here?”  He had expected an upscale neighborhood but they were in a well kept middle class neighborhood that didn’t have any place that looked like it was owned by a multi-millionaire.

Marcus linked his arm with Adam, “I felt the same way the first time Dan brought me here.”

Brian pulled out his phone and grabbed the handle of his suitcase, moving toward the space between the buildings. Justin followed with Adam behind him. Marcus came along behind.  Brian held his phone up to a reader at the gate and it swung open.  “You all have the code I sent, right?” They all nodded.

“Damn, I forgot how chilly New York could get this time of year.” Justin said as they walked through the gate and immediately the wind was gone and they were in their own little world. Once they got past the small ally and the garden lay in front of them. Brian pulled Justin to him and kissed him.  Their mouths lingered as their tongues did a playful dance. 

Marcus came up beside Adam, “Let’s go to our cottage.  They could be there a long time.”

“This place is,” he took a few steps and looked around, “It is a secret garden.  I would have never known it was here. Obviously, I didn’t know it was here.”

“This is ours for the next two weeks.  Well, I guess it’s always mine but it is where we will be staying.  This is where Dan lived when Brian and Justin met him.  Brian and Justin had just reconciled and fate brought them here.  Brian was quite successful already in Pittsburgh but was trying to launch his office here.  The lock on the cottage opened when Marcus held his phone screen up to it.  They walked in the small house that had been well maintained.  “You can take the loft.  Make yourself at home. Unpack if you like and if you want to just live out of your suitcase there should be a luggage rack up there.” Marcus looked around, “I can almost feel Dan here. I know he loved our place in  California but think in some ways this was his favorite place.”

“This was where he could hide from the harsh world out there,” Adam stated.  “His family probably was a big part of that harshness.” Adam just stood there and absorbed his surroundings. “Thank you for bringing me here, Marcus.”

“Well, Adam, I never had a sibling so I hope you don’t mind if I think of you as my brother.”

Adam opened his mouth and couldn’t say anything.  He just hugged him.  As he moved to the small staircase he said, “I can’t think of anyone I would rather have in my family.


Brian and Justin finally stopped kissing but they stayed in each other’s arms.  “I’m getting cold.  I’m glad I brought along some warm clothing.  Let’s get in and start the fireplace.”

“If you’re getting cold, I’ve definitely lost my touch. We’ll go in and I will work on my technique.”

“Oh, yes, I am willing to help you practice all day. I hope they haven’t taken out the sofa that was always there.” Justin said as they walked hand in hand, pulling their bags.

“I know they replaced the furniture but I also know I approved the purchase and I ordered the plushist couch that would fit in that spot.  It is actually very similar to what was there when we lived there so many years ago.” Justin opened the door  and entered.  It had been remodeled and updated but it still had the feeling it did when they really started their life together. 

“Shall we bring the bags up and…” Justin looked at the steps.

“We have plenty of time.  I think we should continue where we left off.” He led Justin to the sofa and together they collapsed onto the soft cushions.  They started the fireplace and put on some soft music and stretched out together in a familiar cocoon. They faced each other and they strolled down memory lane as they stole kisses and touches and eventually they fell asleep.


When Justin didn’t answer his phone Marcus and Adam decided they would order dinner to be delivered.  Marcus had a feeling by now they were in each other's arms somewhere and they would be ready to eat soon.  “I could use a little exercise.  I think I’ll go explore this magic space.  I’ll stop by their place before I come back here and tell them to come over around 7:00.”

“That would be great, Adam.” If you go out of the garden you will need your phone.  There is a gate to the back too, in case you venture out.”

“I am sure I will stay in the garden.  There are plenty of nooks and crannies for me to explore.”


Brian stretched and then pulled Justin closer.  This sofa was amazing. It was wide enough for them both to lay on it and because it actually curved a bit it would take his full height.  “Hey, Sunshine.  We are going to want to start thinking about dinner.  I don’t know about you but I am hungry. Loving you is a lot of work!” he laughed and kissed him.  

“Well, since we haven’t actually had sex yet, you better eat up to have enought strength.” Justin pressed against him and both of them felt the need grow.  “You know when we were younger we didn’t realize how much waiting could increase the pleasure.  I mean, I know we had times we abstained but there was a reason behind those.  Now we both enjoy the time together as much if not more as the time we spend inside each other.”

“It’s called love and longing.” Brian started a slow exploration with his mouth and hands.


Adam started walking the perimeter of the garden.  There were little seats and features everytime he moved on.  When he moved to the back of the garden, following a stone path he found and spa.  It was the kind that could be used as a lap pool, too, and after feeling the water he was sure he would get in there most days while they were here. The air was chilly but the water temperature was perfect.  Nearby there was a sitting area with a fire pit.  This place truly was special.  He could picture his brother here.  If only he had realized back 30 years ago that what his father had taught him was so far off.  He knew it but he wasn’t strong enough to go against his dad and once his dad was gone, he had created a life of his own with his wife and children.  If only he had known…  Adam realized how long he had been standing there.  He wiped away the tears that had slipped down his cheeks and walked toward the second cottage in the garden.  

Walking up to the French doors, Adam could see Brian and Justin kissing on the sofa.  He knocked loud enough to get their attention but not to scare them. Justin looked over his shoulder and kissed Brian once more before getting up and walking to the door. “Hey, Adam, come in.”

“Sorry, looks like I interrupted something.”

“Nothing we planned to finish now,” Brian said from where he lay.

“Marcus has ordered dinner and it will be here around 7:00.” He looked around this small house.  It had a warm and inviting feeling just like Dan’s.  “This has to be a welcoming place for those that stay here.  If someone had to disappear for a time, I can’t imagine a more welcoming place than this garden.”

“Yes, it has good memories for us but I am sure it does for many people.  I think everyone can rest here,” Justin commented.

“Well, I’ll let Marc know you are coming at 7:00.  I’ll see you in about half an hour.”


At 8:00 they sat around the small table in the cottage.  Marc had ordered Italian from a favorite place in the neighborhood and they all shared the choices he had made.  He had ordered cannolis for dessert  and they moved to the sofa to eat their dessert along with a glass of wine. 

“This is some of the best food I have ever tasted,” Adam commented as he took a bite of the dessert.

“I had forgotten how good it was.” Brian pulled Justin closer.  “It’s weird being here without Dan.”

“I don’t think we are here without Dan.  I have felt him with me since I walked through the gate.” Marcus commented.  “I don’t want you to think I’m losing it but as I emptied my suitcase I swore I smelled his cologne and then felt his arm slip around my waist but then it was gone.”

Justin got up and walked over and hugged Marcus. “Dan is here.  He will always be with you but this was his sanctuary.  He will always feel close here.” Justin looked over at Brian and then Adam, “I think I could use a dip in that hot tub.  It is so nice compared to that above ground circle that used to be here.”

“I was thinking about going in.” Adam said, “It looked very inviting when I walked past it.”

“Adam, will you feel uncomfortable if we go without trunks? We have some with us but we rarely use them.”

“You do what you normally would do.  It’s not like I haven’t seen naked men at the gym before.”

Brian and Justin went to their place and undressed, but as Justin started to slip on a robe, Brian pulled him into his arms.  “Maybe we should skip the tub. I’m not sure I want to share you right now.” He bent his head so his lips met Justin’s. “I’m not in the least bit tired if you get my drift.”

“Oh, I love it when you drift. Let me text…” Justin took half a step away but Brian pulled him back.  

“They are two intelligent men.  They will figure it out.” His fingers traveled between Justin’s cheeks and he began to gently press at the bud he had entered so many times.

“Oh, ya, you are definitely right.  They will figure it out.”

Marcus and Adam had made their way out to the hot tub and waited. They chatted as they waited. “I thought they would have made it out already,” Adam commented.

“I don’t think they will be joining us.” Marcus pointed to the upstairs window and the silhouette of the two men was visible.

“Was it ever a problem fitting in with the three of them? They were obviously close before you came into the picture.”

“I fell so hard and fast for Dan, I would have done anything to make it work but Justin was warm and inviting from day one.  Brian gave me some shit but that is just because he was protective of Dan. If I’m honest Brian freaked me out until, well,” he hesitated, “Well, let’s just say it was a long time before Brian didn’t scare me.”

“He is formidable now.  I am sure when he was younger he could have been down right scary when he wanted to be.”

“Yes, and trust me, he wanted to be. He was just protective of Dan.  Dan protected everyone else so Brian, and Justin, protected him.”

“And you and Justin?”

“Justin and I have always been close. He is the only other man I have made love with.”

“I can’t imagine my wife would have ever been comfortable being friends with someone she knew I made love with.  I mean she met an old girlfriend once and …” Adam choked up a bit.  “It has been almost five years and I still miss her every day.”

“Maybe it is time to find someone new to share your life with.”

“I think I needed to find peace in the rest of my life before I was ready to move on.  I know it is far too fresh for you to be thinking about it but do you think someday you’ll look for someone?”

“I honestly don’t know. Years ago Justin and I said we would just grow old together.  I guess we’ll see.”


Brian explored Justin’s body as he laid on his stomach.  “Aren’t you tired of looking at the same back and ass?” 

Brian’s mouth moved down further and soon Justin felt his lips on his cheeks and then the tongue trailing between them and Justin arched as Brian’s tongue began to explore and when he couldn’t wait anymore he prompted Justin to roll over and Brian moved in from behind.  He slowly moved building the tension and then they both crested and gently slid down in pleasure.

“Brian,” Justin said as Brian moved closer, still inside of him. “Who would have thought we would be here again forty some years later?”

“Sunshine, after we moved back to Pittsburgh I knew this place would always have special memories.  At one point Dan talked about selling but I knew I would buy him out before I would have him sell it.  Later on he thanked me for talking him out of it.  He did have bad memories of Andre here but he realized this was his safe place.”

“As long as you were near every place was a safe place.  You knew Dan needed someone to watch out for him because he was always watching out for everyone else. You were such a good friend. You are a very good man, Brian Kinney.”

“Well, that is only because I had a very good man supporting me. Brian slowly moved out of him and Justin turned to face him. “Marcus is so much stronger than I am.  If I lost you now, I don’t think I would want to live on.  You are my strength.  You have helped me live so many times.”

“Sunshine, you don’t even know how strong you are but we definitely are better together than apart.”

Justin kissed him.  “Face it, we were made to be together.  Neither of us would be who we are without  the other.”

“Thank god.  I can only imagine where I would be without you.” Brian’s voice was drifting off.  

“Good night, Brian. We can use the spa tomorrow.  We can walk down memory lane. And we can have dinner with Daph.”

“And we will fall asleep in each other’s arms, tonight, tomorrow night, and the rest of our lives.  I love you, Sunshine.”

“I love you, too, Bri.”

 

They kissed and closed there eyes as peace and contentment  washed over both of them.


Chapter 15 by Simply written

Chapter 15


The next day Brian and Justin found Adam swimming in the spa.  “Good timing.  I need a break.” Adam turned off the current and switched on the spa bubbles.  Brian and Justin dropped their robes and walked in.  

“Sorry, we didn’t make it last night. We decided we were, um, tired,” Justin said with a smile on his lips as he slid his hand between Brian’s legs.

“No problem.  We had a view of how tired you were.” Adam gestured up at the window and laughed. “Marc and I enjoyed relaxing out here.”

Justin smiled, “We didn’t talk yesterday about today’s activities.  Did you and Marcus plan anything today?” 

“We talked about doing some sightseeing and Marcus had a lead on some tickets to a concert.  We know you have plans for dinner with Daphne.”

“You are welcome to join us you know,” Justin stated.

“We know.  We talked about it and have a feeling there will be another dinner before we go back home and we will join you then.”

“Ya, I was thinking we should invite her here for dinner sometime before going home.  We could grill something and pick up something at the deli.” Brian commented.

Marcus walked up and slipped into the tub with them. The men talked about their plans and it was decided they would go their own ways today.  Marcus and Adam were going to stop by the Reed Agency and then do some sightseeing while Brian and Justin were going to Kinnetik and eventual ending up at Daphne’s. They agreed they would meet up for breakfast at 8:30 tomorrow morning and the four split up for 24 hours.

Brian and Justin spent the day out and about.  They went to a small deli for lunch and called both their kids to check on everything back there and they called Nico to make sure everything at the house was alright.  Kevin was staying at the main house with him this week so Justin also asked how work on the sculpture was going.  After they said goodbye they went back to the garden to relax for a bit before going to Daphne’s.

“Sunshine, you know if you want to spend the evening with Daphne alone, I wouldn’t be offended.  I would just order dinner and watch TV.”

“Of course you are coming. It’s not like the days when I went to cry on her shoulder.  First of all, I have nothing to cry about, Second, I think she likes you more than me.” he kissed Brian playfully. 

“Does she have a lover right now?”

“Brian, that is something I don’t just ask her.  I don’t think she has a steady boyfriend right now if that is what you are asking.  You have such tact sometimes.”

“You love my tact.” Brian smiled as he pulled him over to the sofa. “We have time for a make out session don’t we?”

“I do have a fondness for your tackle,” Justin ran his hand over Brian’s crotch lovingly, “and yes, we have about an hour.” Together they sat down and intertwined their arms and kissed.  After a few minutes Justin looked up into Brian’s eyes, “Bri, everything is alright isn’t it?”

“Ya, why?”

“I don’t want you to think I am complaining because I am not, but, you are being well …. I haven’t doubted your love for me in years but you are acting like you did when you either felt guilty or something was wrong.”

Brian pulled him even closer and he pressed Justin’s head to his chest, “I have been thinking about everything I put you through back then.”

“Brian, we both did stupid things back then.  We were young.  We were both in the limelight at different times.  We both had egos beyond belief.”

“But you usually did it out of the pain I put you through.  Poor Daphe always had a bedroom for you.  I almost wondered if you paid part of her rent just to keep a bigger apartment so there was room for you.”

“Brian, it doesn’t matter. We both had a lot of growing up to do.  We had so much passion and that is good and bad.” The next kiss was full of regrets, passion, and then pure joy of their lives together.

“You still are more mature than I am,” Brian laughed.  “I am so glad you chase me.”

“I chased you? Who came to New York to find me?”

“Well, you weren’t lost and it wasn’t like we had fought.  I just knew you had to spread your wings.  What I didn’t realize was I needed to spread my wings, too.  If I hadn’t come here I would probably have stayed in Pittsburgh and run a decent business but coming here is what made me look to what I could do, not what I had done.”

Justin stood and looked at  Brian.  “I want to freshen up before we go.  You don’t have to.  You look gorgeous as always.”

“Oh, Sunshine, you have become one of the best liars I know.” He laughed and smiled up at him.  “I am going to change my shirt.” He extended his hand and Justin helped him up. 

A half hour later they left the garden and there was a car waiting for them. They held hands and talked about the city as they moved through the streets. They pulled up to a high rise and Justin made sure he had the number of the driver so he could pick them up later and they walked into the building.  The doorman greeted them and, after verifying who they were he let them pass and they took the elevator up to her apartment.  Daphne had moved since the last time they had visited her and when they arrived at the 34th floor they got off the elevator and located her door. It opened before they could knock and they were caught in her embrace.

“I am so glad you could make it this trip.” After letting them go, she ushered them into her home. 

“Wow, this is some view, Daphne.  You told me it was a great view but this is beyond….”

“You’re here at the perfect time of day. The sunset is perfect tonight.” Daphne said as she put an arm around each of them and directed them to the best view.”

“I think the two of you know how to enjoy a view without me.  I will be back with drinks right after I check on dinner. Go ahead and take a seat if you want to.”

“I guess New York City does have something to offer,” Brian commented.

“True, but I’d take the vineyard anyday.”

“I’d take your vineyard anyday, too.” Daphne appeared carrying a tray with glasses and a bottle of wine, along with appetizers. “I hope you aren’t in a hurry.  It will be about an hour until dinner is ready.”

“We are in no hurry.” Brian smiled over at their long time friend who was sitting across from him, next to Justin.

For the next hour they caught up.  They talked about the kids and grandkids.  They talked about how Brian was feeling after his cancer and then they talked about Justin’s surgery.

“When I saw you walk out of the airport I hoped you were doing as well as it looked.”

“I really am. I’m so glad Brian forced me to do this.”

“You know Sunshine better than that.  He has never done anything he hasn’t wanted to do.  He did make Brinn cry one day but she did survive.”

“She didn’t cry! Did she?” Justin looked over at Brian as Daphne squeezed his hand.

“No, but it was close. But we all know that you’re the type that when you are that feisty it is because you are ready for a fight. And you fought your way through it.”

Daphne hugged Justin tightly.  “So your pain is better and I can see your mobility is good.”

“It is probably as good as it was right after the first surgeries.  It should last me the rest of my life.”

When the meal was ready they sat at the table and ate while they talked about so many years ago.  “Remember after you had left for the fiddle player?” Daphne saw Brian pull a face.  “All he could do was smoke and talk about Brian.  He loved you so much already.”

“I know, I was an asshole.” Brian commented, “Not telling him I loved him before that.”

“Well, darling, I have always loved a good asshole.” Justin said as Daphne almost fell off her chair laughing.

“I have missed you so much, Justin.  I was so sorry when you lost Jenn.  She was a special woman.”

“Yes she was and I miss her but I am so glad I got to spend the last years with her. That’s because I have such a wonderful husband that was willing to just up and move for me.”

“So, Daphne, I know you don’t need a man in your life but do you have a kept man hiding somewhere?” Brian asked her.

“Well, now that you mention it, my friend is joining us in about half an hour. He is an ER doctor but he got off about an hour ago so it won’t be long.”

“So does your man have a name? He obviously hasn’t retired yet.”

“Well, he’s a little young to retire.  He will be fifty on his next birthday.”

“You cougar, you.” Brian laughed.

“Age is just a mindset and I still have a lot of life left in me.”

“I am sure you do.” 

Just then they heard the door.  “I’ll be back in a few minutes. I will get him a plate of food and then we will be back.”

Justin looked over at Brian and then moved next to him.  He saw a bit of a far off look on his face.  “What is it, Bri?”

“You should be dating some hot doctor that is 50.”

“Don’t make me hit you. I just got you broke in.  I don’t have time to get another one broke in.” Justin pushed him against the side of the sofa and they began to kiss. 

Brian’s hand moved around to Justin’s ass and he commented, “My tackle appears to still be working.”

“I warned you.” Daphne said to the attractive man that stood next to her. “If you two can stop for a little while, I’d like to introduce you to Charlie.  Charlie this is Brian and this is Justin.”  Charlie shook Brian’s hand and then hugged Justin.

“Daphe has talked about you so much that I feel like I know you.”

“That’s funny.  She hasn’t told me anything about you.” Justin looked over at Daphne.  

“You know I don’t kiss and tell,” she commented.

“Neither do we.  We just kiss and everyone knows,” Brian said. He pulled Justin back into his arms and kissed him.

The next couple hours they enjoyed getting to know Charlie and Charlie could see why Daphne was so fond of them but soon it was time for them to go back to the cottage. After hugs and kisses all around, they said they would try to see each other once more before leaving the city and Brian and Justin were told by the doorman their car had arrived. 

As Brian and Justin rode back to the garden, Brian felt Justin’s head drop on his shoulder, “Everything alright, Sunshine? You’ve gotten very quiet.”

“I’m fine.  I just forgot how much I missed her.”

“I understand that.” He tightened his arms and kissed the top of his head. “We are just so lucky to have so many people we love.”

“We really are.”  

And as they entered the garden and saw light glowing in Marcus’ and Adam’s place they walked hand in hand to their own oasis. They lay in bed and talked until they began to drift off.  “I’m glad we’re here.  I know we came for Marc and Adam but I think it is good for us to be here, too.” Justin said softly.

“I agree.  I didn’t know we had anything to make peace with but just being here, in this place, gives me contentment.  I realize I couldn’t want anything else in my life.  I have everything I could ever want and money makes it nice, but I would be as happy living in Stone House as long as our family is near us.”

“I couldn’t agree more. Good night, Brian.  I love you.”

“Good night, Sunshine.  Love you.”


The days in New York were full of adventure.  Many of the days were spent with the four men wandering through some of Dan’s favorite haunts.  They all went to Dan’s old office and Marcus and Brian signed paperwork to sell that branch. Brian and Dan had both owned parts of each other’s businesses because they had both helped each other out over the years as they expanded the business or went through a rough patch.  No wonder their link was so strong.  They definitely were family. 

As they sat around the fire pit a couple days before going back to California, Adam looked around at the men who had become so important to him.  “Since we can’t change the past, this is as close as it could get to getting to know my brother.  I know how hesitant you were at first about trusting me and I understand that.  I have done well but nothing compared to my brother and I am sure you thought I was just trying to get some of his.  But getting to really know you, has been worth everything.  I feel like I have a family now.”

“You are family.  I know Danny and Hannah feel the same way,” Marcus assured him.  “Now, we have one more night.  Any plans for tomorrow night?”

Justin started to say something but Brian interrupted.  “We do have plans.”

“We do?” Justin looked at Brian and Brian pulled him closer.

“We do. And I’m afraid it is dinner for two.” Brian kissed Justin, who snuggled into his side.

“I am sure we can find something to do. In fact, Marcus, I would like to take you somewhere for dinner, as a thank you.”

“You have nothing to thank me for.” 

“Ok, I’m going to take you to dinner someplace because I want to take my brother in law out for dinner.”

“I would like that.”

“Good, then tomorrow you can help me choose a place if hopefully we can get reservations.” Adam smiled at Marcus.

“It may help since it is in the middle of the week.”  

“I am sure we can find a wonderful place.

“Brian, we are having brunch with Daphe.  Where are we going for dinner?”

“That, my love, is a secret but mentioning brunch, I think it is time for us to get to bed. I am getting tired and tomorrow is going to be a busy day.”

“Sure, baby.  I could use some sleep myself.”  

They said their goodnights to Marcus and Adam and walked hand in hand, into the cottage.

“I am not sure I have ever seen two people that love each other as much as they do.”

“I know.  They’ve had lots of rough spots but for the last twenty  years they have both been a steady support for the other.  As you have heard, Brian was his first and Justin fell in love with him that night.”

“Well, nothing much has changed.  They really do seem to share something I can’t put into  words.”

“And you never will be able to put it in words because no one else is like them.”

“I know Dan felt that way about you.  He told me he did. He said you showed him what love really meant.” Adam hesitated.  “I think he said that because he never felt that from his own family and by the time he said that it was too late for me to be family.  I knew that.  I had lost my opportunity.”

“And that wasn’t fair to you.  You couldn’t help what you were taught.”

“That could be true but after Dad died, I should have run to him.  I should have accepted him with open arms when he came to me but I pushed him away.”

“Adam, Dan would forgive you if he was still here.  Now you have to forgive yourself.”

“I….. I think I could go to bed, too.  I can think of several things I would like to do on my last full day in New York.” Adam stood and offered his hand to Marcus.  Marcus stood and together they walked to the cottage hand in hand.

After they entered the cottage Marcus kissed Adam’s cheek and said, “I know when we met you weren’t that comfortable with physical touching but I can tell that has changed.  Why?”

“I remember how much I did and sometimes still do. I’m not talking about sex, although I miss that, too, but just the day to day interaction with people you love and who love you.”

Marcus walked over and hugged Adam tightly.  Adam wrapped his arms around him in return and Marcus began to sob.  “I miss him so much.”

“I know you do, Marc. I know you do.”  Adam kissed his cheek and rubbed Marcus’ back until Marcus loosened his grip.

“Thank you, Adam. I’m not sure I would have made it being here without you. You are always willing to listen to my stories and understand all my emotions.  Dan was never the emotional one.  He was more the strong, silent type but when he really was upset he would go talk to Brian.  He never wanted me to worry about anything.  He was the ideal example of a husband and father for our family.  If he had loved a woman, he would have been touted as the perfect man by the world.  He didn’t care about that.  He cared that he was perfect for me and our kids.  He fought taking Danny in because he was afraid he would be like his own father but the first time he called him Junior, I wept for joy. He never looked back and when Hannah came along, we were complete.”

“Kids are wonderful and they do make your life so full.”

“I am so selfish sometimes.  You went through most of this yourself.”

“To some extent but I don’t know what it is like to feel deserted by my family.  My family didn’t throw me out.  In fact I really feel like I owe you half of what I have because I ended up with the family money.”

“You know I would never accept anything like that.  I will take dinner tomorrow night though and right now, I need to get some sleep.” Marcus started walking to his bedroom but then stopped and turned around, “When does the aching stop, Adam? When do you get in bed and not feel your cock just need ….”

“That’s the part I haven’t figured out, yet.  I have dated randomly and have had sex a couple times but I have realized, although the sex feels good and you get that hormone rush, when it’s over your soul doesn’t hurt any less.  That lonely spot doesn’t go away.  But, having family has helped fill my soul so maybe now, if I hook up with someone it won’t make me feel worse.”

“That does make sense.  I know I’m not ready for a quick fuck yet.  That was never my style.  I dated women before Dan but I have only been with one other man and,” Marcus gazed at the door in the direction of Brian and Justin’s house.

“You and Justin?”

“What if it was Brian?” Marcus commented.

“He scares  you, or did.  You and Justin? But he and Brian were together….”

“It was with Brian and Dan’s blessing… well that might be a little strong, but they understood.  As great as the sex was with Dan, and oh, god, it was so amazing, I just needed to know I was doing it right for Dan so Justin and I had a weekend.”

Adam had to laugh, “You guys really do look at life differently in some ways.  But, I don’t mean that in a bad way.  It is obvious how much you loved my brother and as long as he was happy and you were happy…. That’s all that counted. And someday, if we are both really lucky, we can take a trip here with new partners.  And not that we will have forgotten our firsts but we will be able to sit around and talk about them with fond memories.”

Marcus smiled and nodded, “Good night, Adam. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Good night, Marc. I’ll see you in the morning.”


Brian and Justin held hands as they laid in bed, “Where are we going tomorrow night?”

“That, young man, is a surprise.” Justin rolled closer to Brian and let his hand slide over Brian’s naked body. It moved lower and began to stroke his dick softly.  “That might have worked back in the day but I am too tired to make anything work tonight.”

“Your mouth works just fine.” Justin kissed him, moving his hand from his cock to his chest.  “That’s all I need to tell me,” his mouth trailed from Brian’s to his jawline, “what we are going tomorrow.”

“Sunshine, that wouldn’t have worked if I was drunk. I’m stone cold sober right now, or close.”

“You know I hate surprises,” Justin said as he rolled off of him.

“No, I know you love surprises.  You just hate waiting.” He brought Justin’s hand to his mouth and kissed it. “Now, close your enchanting eyes and go to sleep.  We need to leave by 10:00 at the latest and then we need to make sure we are back here in time to put on our tuxes and…”

“Tuxes? I don’t have my tux here.”

“Oh, but it is.  I had them overnighted and we will pick them up at Daphne’s tomorrow.”

“Bri, you’re killing me here.”

“No, Sunshine, I’m loving you.” He rolled over and pinned Justin down. “Now, to take your mind off of it,” Brian moved down Justin’s body and took his cock into his mouth and, although some things didn’t work as well as when he was 40, he still had one of the most talented mouths Justin had ever felt.  Everything around him faded as Brian brought him higher and higher.


The next morning Marcus and Adam were out of the garden before Brian and Justin.  They had decided to take the ferry and do some sightseeing for the day.  Brian and Justin got ready for brunch with Daphne.  Justin tried to convince Brian to tell him the plans for the night but of course, Brian wouldn’t give in.  They let Daphne know when they were on their way to pick her up and when she arrived at the car she had a garment bag with her.

“So Daph, did he tell you what we are doing tonight?”

Daphne wrapped her arm around his shoulder,  “Of course he did, but you know I am not going to tell you.” She kissed Justin’s cheek and laid her head down on his shoulder.  “I am going to miss you when you leave.  Now that we have spent time together I realize how much I miss you.”

“Even with Charlie warming your bed?”

“Charlie is a wonderful man and….” the car stopped in front of the restaurant and they got out. “We’ll talk once we sit down.”

Brian led the way and the three of them were shown to their table. Once they ordered their food, Daphne continued talking.  Charlie is a great guy and the age thing doesn’t bother me at all. He is the first man, since Gale…”

“How long has it been since Gale left now?  I know Dahlia was young,” Brian asked.

“Over 20 years. Obviously over the years I have had to talk to him.  The 25 year old he left me for left him ten years later.  I think I told you that.  He tried to crawl back then but that wasn’t happening.  I knew I should have listened to my own advice when I said I was never getting married although I am glad I did because I wouldn’t have Ally… excuse me, Dahlia, she doesn’t like that old nickname anymore. He isn’t doing so well.  His company has been on a down slide and he has had health issues.”

Justin hugged her.  “It was all his loss.  So tell us more about Charlie.”

“He really is a wonderful man.  He is mature and responsible and he treats me well and…”

“Will you try marriage again?”

“No, but I will share my place and I hope he will move in soon.”

“And Dahlia likes him?” Brian asked.

“She loves him because he loves me.”

“Bring him out for a visit.  Next spring when it is still nasty here.  We have plenty of space.  Brinn and Gus would love to see you.”

“I’ll talk to Charlie about it.  You are right.  In March or April it would be a great vacation.” 

Their food came and they ate and talked.  At one point Justin left to use the restroom, Brian was relieved to have a minute to talk to Daph.  “So everything is in place, right?”

“Yes, Brian, you are expected at the Rainbow Room at 7:30.  Somewhere around 9:15 or 9:30 the band will play ‘Save the Last Dance’.  You just have to signal them when you are ready for it.”

“Thanks, Daphne. I don’t have any connections, well, not many connections here anymore.  I can’t believe you could get us in there.”

“Well, you can make it up to me by sending me some of that amazing wine you produce.”

“Just let us know what you want and we really would like for you to come out and visit.” Brian laid a hand on her arm.  You are always welcome.”

“I will do that, with or without Charlie,” she glanced and saw Justin coming.  “He’s on his way but check out the bottom of your bag.  I added a little something in there.”

“Why did you two stop talking as soon as I walked up?” Justin asked suspiciously.

“Well we were planning the affair we hope to start but time and distance is a problem,” Brian said as he pulled Justin into his chair and kissed him. Daph promises to come in the spring.”

“That will be perfect.  I have loved being here but I miss the vineyard and our kids and grandkids.”

“And I bet Gabe has grown like crazy since we have seen him.” Brian added.

“Good thing they will all be coming over for Thanksgiving in a little over a week.” Justin got a far away look for a moment.  “And with Nico around, I will have plenty of help with dinner.”

“I guess there is a benefit to having help that comes from another country.  He won’t go home for Thanksgiving.”

“No, but he will be going home to Italy for about a month in December and January.”  Daphne listened quietly as the two men talked. Justin looked at her and smiled, “I’m sorry.  We are probably boring you with our mundane conversation.”

“No, Justin, I was just thinking how amazing it is that you two are still so in love and what a wonderful life you have built.  Even through everything you’ve had to deal with, Your love hasn’t wavered.”

Brian brought Justin’s hand to his lips and kissed it. “It hasn’t been easy but it has been worth every minute.”

Eventually, it was time to leave.  Daphne had plans so they said their goodbyes on the sidewalk.  Brian gave the old friends a little space.  As they hugged, Daphne said, “I will come out in the spring.”

“Oh, please do.  We can’t let it be so long at our age. We could send the plane for you if you would like that.”

“We’ll talk after the holidays and, Justin, enjoy your night.”

“Now that’s not fair.”

She looked to the car where Brian was waiting, “He really is something special. I love you, my friend.”

“I love you, too, Daph, and I know he is one of a kind.” Justin opened the cab door for her and after one more hug and kiss, Daphne was gone.  Justin slowly walked to his waiting car and slid in next to Brian,who opened his arms, knowing he would need a hug.  “I don’t know why I am feeling so blue.  Daph is happier than I have seen her in years and I believe she really will come to visit this spring.”

“You’re sad because she is your oldest friend.  You have known her longer than you’ve known me.  You love her almost like you love Molly.”

“You’re right.  So what are we going to do now?”

“We are stopping at Kinnetik.  Think we can borrow your old office for a little while and try out the desk?” Justin kissed Brian thinking about how many times they had sex in his office. 

“I want to save my energy for….”

“Brian Kinney, don’t tease me when I don’t know what is going on.”

“Did you notice the chill in the air? I wouldn’t be surprised if it snowed tonight.”

“We’ll be able to fly home tomorrow, won’t we?”

“I don’t think the weather is supposed to be that bad and John and Tony are landing about now so John can get a good night sleep and fly us home tomorrow afternoon.  I think we should go back to the secret garden and maybe spend half an hour in the hot tub and then relax for a couple hours.  I really am not trying to rub it in.  I just know it is going to be a late night and I don’t want to be too tired to enjoy it.”

“That sounds like a great way for us to spend our last day here.”

Brian and Justin made their stop at Kinnetik and Brian picked up what he needed to bring back to California with him and when they arrived back at the garden, they undressed and put on their robes and as snow began to fall, they walked out to the hot tub. As steam rolled off the water they dropped their robes nearby and moved quickly into the warmth.  They both sighed as they relaxed.  

“I won’t ask what we are doing tonight.  Obviously, I need to wear my tux and we are going somewhere for dinner. And it will be a late evening.”

“That’s exactly right.  I put your tux in our room and I put mine in the second bedroom.  I know it’s silly but I just want it to be special. It’s been a while since we had a night like this.”

“Thank you, baby, for making it special. You never just  let it get boring.”

Brian pulled him close, “You are worth every second of everything I have ever done for you. And if I could, I would go back and live it all again.  Hopefully, I would be smarter the second time around.”

“I would love to live those 50 years over with you.”

“Even with all the bad that went on?”

“If it led back to you, where else would I be?”  Justin kissed him and for the next several minutes they kissed and touched  and just enjoyed each other’s presence.  When they felt chilly, they rushed to their robes and then walked quickly back to the cottage.  Once inside, Brian told Justin he would be right back and stepped into the guest room.  He unzipped the suit bag and found his tux and shoes and then in the very bottom he found a white silk scarf.  Daph was right.  This was exactly what he needed tonight.  He walked back to their bedroom and found Justin already between the blankets of the bed.  Brian slipped in next to him and, after setting an alarm, they both fell asleep. 

Justin woke from his nap before the alarm and kissed Brian below his ear, on his chin, and then ran his tongue along his jawline. When his mouth got close to Brian’s, Brian turned his head and met Justin’s mouth.  

“Hey, looks like you beat the alarm.”

“Well, I enjoyed the nap but I have been awake off and on.  If we are going to get ready separately, you better move to the other room.  I’m going to get in the shower.”

“I’ll see you in an hour.  Maybe we can have a drink before we leave.”

“It takes me a lot longer to look good then it used to,” Justin laughed.

“Sunshine, you are always gorgeous.”  Brian kissed him once more before getting out of bed and he strode across the room naked. “See you in an hour.” He walked out of the room.

He wasn’t sure why, but Justin was excited and nervously anxious.  Brian always gave him the best surprises. He wanted it to be perfect, whatever it was.  He showered, taking time to do a little manscaping.  He doubted Brian would even notice but he would know. As he dried off he rubbed over the scar that was now less noticeable. He put lotion on his skin and then moved to the sink and did a close shave.  He trimmed his eyebrows and checked his nose and ears for hair.  He had to laugh.  The first night he was with Brian he barely shaved.  Now there were days he wished he had a little less hair, although on his head, he was glad he still had enough.  He styled his hair, noticing all the gray.  He was lucky his hair was light in the first place.  He knew it was noticeable but it looked good.  Brian’s hair was still thick and, although he had gray at the temples and streaked in his hair but it was mostly still dark.   Justin shook his head to snap out of his thoughts.  He had definitely gained weight but thankfully he had been able to keep it at bay.  He was in relatively good shape. As he pulled on his socks he started thinking about Brian’s body and he felt his cock twitch.

Next door, Brian had also showered and shaved. He did the same grooming regiment Justin did and then sat down to pull on his socks.  He hoped Justin enjoyed the evening.  He wanted it to be perfect.  He had pre ordered their meals.  He hoped Justin liked his choices.  He had several bottles of sparkling wine reserved on ice. It was from his own special reserve and he had to  send two cases to the restaurant to get them to work with him after Daph had gotten the reservations for them.  They realized a close relationship with Kinney Taylor Vineyards would have several benefits for the restaurant and had then offered him anything he wanted.

Brian stood in front of the mirror.  He ran his fingers through his hair and got it just right.  He had the white silk scarf around his neck but it was under his jacket.  If Justin saw it that was fine but if he didn’t it would be a great surprise.  One more look in the mirror and Brian walked out of the room and went downstairs to pour two glasses of wine.

Justin slipped on his shiny black shoes.  He was all for casual jeans and T-shirts but he did enjoy dressing up once in a while. He looked at his image from all angles, making sure the jacket was laying correctly.  His phone rang just as he picked it up to put it into his pocket.  He looked at who it was and answered it. “Hey Brinny.  How are you, sweetheart?”

“Hi Daddy.  I just wanted to make sure you are still coming home tomorrow.”

“We are.  We will be back sometime late in the afternoon.”

“Do I need to do anything at your house?”

“No, Nico has everything in hand. We have had a great time but I am ready to go home.”

“Are you having a quiet evening at home tonight?”

“Don’t act dumb, Brinn.  You have not ever been dumb.  I know you helped your dad with his plans for the night.  Do you know what we are doing?”

“Of course I do.   You are going to have such a nice time.  And don’t act like he told you because I know he won’t.  Send me a selfie.  I bet you both look stunning.”

“Well, thanks, dear, I am about to go see your dad now.  He went down a few minutes ago.”

“Love you and tell Dad I love him to.  I will come by tomorrow evening.”

“I love you, too, Brinn.  I will see you tomorrow.”  He dropped his phone in his pocket, and after one more glance in the mirror, he opened the door and headed down the circular staircase.

Brian heard the door and stood at the bottom looking upward.  As Justin came around the first round, he took in a deep breath. His heart skipped a beat as the beautiful man descended the steps. “Oh, Sunshine, you are as perfect as you were that first night.  No, more perfect because  you are no longer a child.”

Justin accepted Brian’s hand as he came down the last couple steps and Brian kissed him lightly.  “Oh, shit, I almost forgot.” Brian walked to the fridge and opened a crisper drawer and pulled out a small box.  Inside of it there were two red rose boutonnieres. “I hope you don’t mind. I had the cleaner pick these up and put them in there earlier today.  Brian pinned it on Justin and then handed Justin the second one and he pinned it on Brian. 

He let his hand graze Brian’s smooth cheek.  “This is perfect.  You are perfect,” Justin said as Brian caught his hand and left a long, lingering kiss on the palm. Justin was sure he felt a weakness in his knees that had nothing to do with his age.  Brian held that hand and led him to the sofa where he had the wine ready.  They both sat and Brian handed a glass to Justin.

“Sunshine, I am so glad we took this trip.  It was the perfect way to walk down memory lane.  We had so many wonderful times here.  Well, and not so wonderful times, but this place made us who we are and I would not want to have done the last 50 years with anyone but you.”

“Oh, Brian, I can’t even imagine a life without you. I wouldn’t be who I am today.  You have made my life everything I could have wished for.” He sipped the wine as he got lost in Brian’s bright eyes. He leaned forward and kissed him.  “What time do we need to go?”

“The car should be here in about five minutes.  Let me help you with your overcoat.” They helped each other into their black, wool coats. 

Justin reached up and smoothed Brian’s collar. “You are still the  most handsome man I have ever met.” He pulled him down and the kiss went on until Brian’s phone beeped.

“Car….we need to go.” Brian’s voice was a bit shaky from the depth of the kiss.  “Sunshine, I love you.”

“The feeling is mutual, stud.” Justin smiled up at him, lightening the mood.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

They walked hand in hand out to the car and the driver assisted them into the back seat. Snow had been accumulating all day and the temperature was dropping. Justin watched out the window trying to guess where they were going and when they pulled up in front of the Rainbow Room.

“Really, Brian? The Rainbow Room? I didn’t think this was your favorite type of place.”

“I promised you a night  of dancing and I have heard this is one of the best places in New York City.” He stepped out and reached back for Justin’s hand.  Brian rested his hand on the small of Justin’s back.  He was not letting this man out of his sight tonight. He was too beautiful to leave alone.”

They took the elevator up to the restaurant and as soon as Brian gave his name, they were escorted to one of the best tables in the dining room.  They had barely sat down when appetizers were brought to the table and the sparkling wine was poured.

“I hope you don’t mind, Sunshine, but I ordered our meals.”

“I’m sure you picked well.  This view is amazing, both of the city and of the room. The snow makes this all enchanting.”  Justin looked around for a moment and saw the couples dancing. There were men and women, and women and women, and men and men.  The thing that was the same was the joy on their faces. “Brian, thank you.  This is the perfect ending to a memorable trip, both old and new memories.”

The entrees were brought out and they continued to chat and eat as they shared bites and had to touch from time to time.  Several people walked past and looked at them either recognizing Brian or Justin or both.  An old business acquaintance stopped by and said hello to Brian but moved on quickly, knowing they were interrupting a special evening. As they finished the main course, Brian looked at Justin, “Will you dance with me?” 

As they stood Justin heard the notes of a song oh so familiar.

♪You can dance every dance with the guy

Who gives you the eye, let him hold you tight

You can smile every smile for the man

Who held your hand beneath the pale moon light

But don't forget who's takin' you home

And in whose arms you're gonna be

So darling, save the last dance for me♪

 

Justin and Brian had relived their special dance several times.  Justin still couldn’t remember the original dance but by now he could picture all of it. Brian took him in his arms and then soon Brian reached under his jacket and pulled the silk scarf and put it around his neck, pulling him close. Nearing the end of the song Brian’s mouth brush Justin’s ear.  “Sorry, I can’t pick you up and spin you like I did at prom.”

“Oh, Brian, my heart has been spinning since we arrived.” Their lips connected and everything but the music disappeared.  As the music concluded, the other customers applauded. The next song began and they continued to dance for a few more songs before they went back to their table and shared a dessert.

“Sunshine,” Brian ran his hand down the silk scarf and then took Justin’s hand, “I …..  I really don’t know how to put into words how much you really mean to me.  Without you, I would be a heartless, bitter old man who never learned to love, if I was still alive. Instead I have your heart right here,” he tapped his chest, “and the love you share with me everyday of your life.” Brian reached into his pocket and pulled out a box. “I know this pales in comparison to what I actually feel but I hope it will be a bit of a reminder if I am ever an asshole and you need to be reassured. Justin Taylor, I love you.” Brian opened the box and pulled out a diamond pinky ring.  He slipped it onto Justin’s finger. 

“Oh, Brian, it is beautiful.  And it fits perfectly.”

“Justin, one more dance?” Brian stood and offered his hand while Justin stood and took it.

After a couple more songs Justin pressed his pelvis against Brian and softly said, “Let’s go to our secret garden.” He led the way to the coat room where they collected their overcoats and let the driver know they were on the way down.  While in the elevator, Justin leaned against Brian as Brian’s hand rested on Justin’s back, pulling him tightly against him. “You are too good to me, Bri. Tonight has to be in the top five best.”

“Oh, Sunshine, I’m glad you enjoyed it but I can think of several nights that were a lot more um,” he rubbed Justin’s fly, “more fulfilling.”

They walked out of the elevator and out to the car.  Once they were comfortable in the back they continued to talk. “Brian, this night has nothing to do with sex, just like most of the special nights didn’t.    The night Gus was born I have to admit that sex was a big part of it but the night Brinn was born.  The night you stood up to my dad and told him to fuck off and took me out of there.  Our wedding was of course very special, and not just because of the sex. Of course there were other great times but Brian, what I’m trying to show you is that it is your heart I love the most.  I think you still have a hard time believing that after 40 years I don’t love you for your body, although that has just been a glorious side benefit.  I love you for all the good you do and even for all the shit you have pulled.  I love you.  I adore you.  I need you to breathe.”

“Damn, Sunshine,” Justin heard the emotion in his voice.  “I don’t deserve you.”

“Hell, Kinney, we deserve each other.  Who else would have us?”


The car pulled up in front of the garden gate and they moved from the car to the pathway leading to the gate.  Justin pressed Brian against the wall and kissed him. He began to move up and down Brian’s body warming them both up.  “If you want to make love, I promise I am ready.” He rubbed his own, “God, am I ready, but…

“Let’s go inside before we both turn into snowmen and are too cold to warm up.”  Once they entered the cottage they moved up the stairs hand in hand and then into the bedroom and as they entered it was like they went back in time 45 years. Brian began taking off Justin’s clothes as they moved toward the bed and once he had it off he pushed Justin onto his back.  Brian then quickly undressed and soon Brian had positioned Justin on his stomach and had pillows under his hips so Justin’s ass stuck up a bit and then for the next half hour, Brian kissed and probed every inch of Justin’s body until he could barely control himself. Brian then stretched out over top of him and slowly entered him. Brian hadn’t felt this strong in years.  He drove into Justin with such force, Justin cried out but Brian kept going and by the time he exploded Justin was nearly ready to come again.

Brian turned Justin over and this time he took him into his mouth and brought Justin over the edge once more before collapsing next to him. “God, Brian, that was….are you alright?”

“I’m fine! In fact there was a time when you would say I was fine.”

“Brian Kinney, you were more than fine but that was a very strenuous…”

“Shut up, Sunshine, before you ruin the afterglow.” Brian pulled him close. “Ready to go home?”

“I am. I miss our kids.  I miss Brennon cautiously asking sex questions and hearing Zander talking about his latest girlfriend.  Not to mention seeing Gus and Brinn.  I’m sorry.  Remember when afterglow meant we talked about what we would do the next time we had sex.”

Brian laughed deep in his chest, “I love sex but talking about our kids is so much more ….. Well so much more us now.  Our self centered life became so much more.” Brian kissed the top of Justin’s head.  “I think we need to get a little sleep before it is time to get up and pack.”

“Good night my love. Tonight was beyond perfect.”

“Good night, Sunshine.  I love you.”


Brian and Justin slept in late and the remainder of the morning was filled with packing and making sure everything in the cottage was back where it should be.  Neither of them were moving very quickly but both of them couldn’t stop smiling.  Everytime Justin saw the ring on his finger he kissed Brian again.

When it was time, Brian, Justin, Marcus, and Adam brought their luggage out to the courtyard and soon the driver had arrived and put the luggage in the trunk while the men got in the back seat.  Marcus and Adam listened to the story of their magical night and soon they were at the airport and saw John and Tony waiting at the airplane and as final checklists were completed and the suitcases were stored,  Brian and Justin sat in the back row and before the plane took off they were already dozing.

An hour later Justin woke and slipped out of Brian’s arms.  He sat next to Marcus on the sofa and draped an arm around his shoulders. Adam was on his computer doing some work nearby. “That was some night you had last night.  When Brian throws a party he always does it right.”

“Marc, are you ready to go home? Do you feel like it’s time?”

“I do.  I feel like in the last two weeks, Dan has settled and now I can, too.”

“I’m so glad.  Are you as anxious to see your grandkids as I am to see mine?”

“Yes, I am so glad it is Thanksgiving next week so Hannah can come and Adam is staying until after the holiday.  It will be hard without Dan but we are still a family and Dan would want to go on and do what families do.”

“Of course he would.  And he would be proud of you all.”

“Sunshine?” Brian’s eyes fluttered open.

“Coming, Bri.” Justin kissed Marcus’ cheek, “Love you, Marc.” Justin slipped back into the seat next to Brian.

Brian put his arms around his husband and said, “I knew you couldn’t have gone far but I never worry anymore.  You always come home to me.”

 

“Where else would I go, Brian.  You are my home.”


Chapter 16 by Simply written
Author's Notes:

This concludes Can't Do Life Without You.  Thanks to all the readers who hung in there through all my babbling.  I have loved this family but it is time to conclude. Brian and Justin will live happily ever after.

I will be posting an Epilogue that will be for those who, like me, need the final chapter of their lives.  It is not included in this chapter.

Chapter 16


Brian and Justin unpacked their suitcases and Nico appeared out of nowhere.  “Let me take that dirty clothes.  I’ll wash it and have it back in your closet tomorrow. If you don’t mind saying it, you two look more in love than ever before and I didn’t think that was possible.”

Justin slipped his arms around Brian’s waist, “That’s because I have the most wonderful, romantic husband in the world.”

Brian kissed Justin’s temple and softly said, “It’s not hard when you have a perfect husband.”

“Oh, seriously, Dad? What a bunch of horse shit!”  Brinn walked in with a big grin on her face. “Sorry, Daddy, you are a perfect husband for Dad.” She strode in and kissed both of her dads. “I am so glad to see both of you.  And you are right, Nico, they look great.”

“Nice to see you, Miss Brinn.  I will get this clothes in the washer.”  As Nico walked past Brinn, she kissed him on the cheek and he continued on his way.

“He is really a great guy and he really took great care of the house while you were gone.”

“Yes, I think we are very lucky to have him.  I will hate to see him leave this spring.” Justin put an arm around his daughter’s waist.

“I agree,” Brian commented. “Maybe we should hire someone for the summer and in the fall maybe we could get a couple more students. You are enjoying Kevin being with you and I think for another grad student like Nico, our place is a great place to work.”

“I hope they haven’t ruined us for the next two.  These two are great and I love having the young energy here.” Justin replied and turned to Brinn.  “How are the boys and Juss?”

“I miss my girl.  I am so glad she will be home next weekend.  She called to tell me she was going to be finishing school this spring.  How did you ever do it when I finished college so young.  She is only a couple years ahead of her classmates and I was way out of my age range.”

“Well, you were always a handful.  You have done a great job with Juss.  You kept her feet on the ground and her head where it needed to be.”

“I learned from the best parents.” Brinn kissed Justin and then walked over to Brian and kissed him.  “I am going to leave you.  You are going to have some jet lag hitting you tonight and I have to get dinner for my men.  Jed will be so excited that Marcus is back.  He has missed him. Marcus has become his rock.”

“Well, Marcus missed him too.  He considers him one of the family.”

“That’s good because his biological family is a mess.”

“And Brennon and Jed…”

“Yes, but I think the glow of first love is coming to an end.  I think they will always be good friends but they are both mature enough to know they will move on. And speaking of moving on… I will talk to you soon.  Thanksgiving is here, right?”

“Yes, Nico will be here so I will have help cooking. It will be the 5 of you and 9 from Gus’ family counting Gabe and of course the two of us and Nico.”

“Nine? Oh, you invited Trenton.”

“Yes, of course.  He is part of Gus’ family.  We will eat around 1:00 and I think Marcus’ and his family will be coming up about 7:30 for finger food and wine.”

“That sounds perfect.  I am sure Marcus will have a rough time,” Brinn commented.

“He will but he has come a long way and Adam has been really good for him.” Brian commented.  “They have been good for each other.” Brian yawned as he finished the sentence.

“I’m out of here.  You two relax, take a nap.  Love you both.” And Brinn breezed out.

They both stood looking at the empty doorway, “It’s good to be home, isn’t it?” Justin laughed.

“It is good to be home.” Brian said as he kissed Justin.  “Sunshine, I think I could use a dip in the hot tub.  My muscles could use a soak and we can plan our holiday.”


Marcus and Adam arrived home and he was so surprised at the greeting Jed gave him.  He greeted them at the door and hugged Marcus.  Marcus wrapped his arms tightly around the young man.  “I’m so glad you are home.” Jed said as he stepped away.

“I enjoyed my time away but I missed you and it is so good to be home.” Marcus kissed his cheek.  “I am sure you had a nice time and Danny and Elliott’s.”

“Oh, I did.  I didn’t mean to insult them or anything.  I just ….”

“I know, son. I was hoping to have an early dinner and then I think you and I can have a movie night.”

“Don’t count on me, Adam said as he grabbed his suitcase.  “I have work to do tonight.  I will probably just grab a sandwich.”

“No, Adam you need more than that.  We have one of George’s amazing pizzas in the freezer.  I will bring you some when we are ready for dinner,” Jed  said to Adam.

“That would be wonderful, Jed. Thank you.”

True to his word, Jed brought three pieces of pizza and a soda to Adam before he and Marcus took the pizza into the family room where they sat on the sofa and started a movie as they ate the pizza. Once they had eaten, the movie was forgotten and they talked. Jed told Marcus that he and Brennon were backing off a bit.  They both had someone else they were looking at and they agreed they would move on as friends but not lovers.

“Oh, Jed, I think that is very wise.  You are still young.” Marcus wrapped his arms around Jed and Jed laid his head down on Marcus’ shoulder.  “I am so glad you are here with me, Jed.  When Adam leaves after Thanksgiving, I am going to lean on you.”

“I think we will lean on each other,” Jed said softly.

“You know, you are exactly right.”  With that they quieted down and watched the movie again.


“Why am I so excited? You would think it was our first Thanksgiving.”

“Well, it is our first Thanksgiving in a couple years.” Brian said, lying next to Justin.  “What time did you finally get in bed?”

“It was after 1:00 a.m.  Nico and I wanted to get the pies done.”

“I thought we hired him so you didn’t have to …”

“Kinney, don’t go there.  Without him I would probably still be in the kitchen baking.”

Brian growled low in his throat as Justin rolled over and slid his hand down Brian’s body.  “Ok, I guess I’m….” Justin followed the path of his hand with his mouth.  “Damn, you get better with age.”  Justin focused on his task and soon Brian arched off the mattress as Justin coaxed every drop out.”

“My favorite breakfast.  I think there were several years that this was my most common breakfast.  Maybe eating a regular breakfast is what caused me to pick up these extra pounds over the years.”

Brian pulled him up and kissed him.  “You have barely gained a pound.”

“Stop lying, Brian Kinney.”

“Well, I love every ounce.  Tell me we have 10 more minutes to just lay here.”

Justin kissed him, slipping his tongue between Brian’s lips.  When they separated, Justin said, “I have more than 20.”  And with that Brian rolled him onto his back and captured his lips again. 

Thirty minutes later there was a knock on the door and Nico’s voice said, “Justin, you told me to wake you.”

“I’ll be there in 10 minutes,” Justin said as he pulled away slightly from Brian’s lips.  “Stay here.  I am going to jump in the shower.”

“I’ll join you.” Brian started getting up.

“No, I need to keep moving and the mood you’re in, I’d never get to the kitchen.”


Ten minutes later, Justin walked into the kitchen in jeans and a T-shirt, hair still wet.  Nico looked up from peeling potatoes.  “I could have taken care of….”

“No, it is my family’s dinner and I am thrilled to have your help but I need to be here. I feel better today than I have in a few years.  I am able to stay on my feet longer.”

“From the flush of your skin I would say you’ve had a pleasant morning so far.”

Justin kissed Nico’s cheek.  “It has been a very enjoyable morning.  Have you heard from Kevin?”

“Yes, he is having a good time with his brother. His parents are still being unreasonable but at least he has his brother.”  Justin heard a bit of sadness in Nico’s normally cheery voice.

“In a month you will get to see your parents.  I am sure it isn’t easy being so far from them.  I am looking forward to that but I ache for Kev.  He is such a wonderful man and his parents just won’t …”

“Brian and I have both had experience with unreasonable parents.  I had a wonderful mother but my dad, not so much, and Brian’s parents, well they were a nightmare. For years he would get a distant look and I would know he was thinking about Jack and Joan.  But with friends like you, and his brother, Kevin will be fine.”

Justin was focused on getting the turkey ready for the oven when arms came around his waist.  “You know those hands you are sticking up that turkey’s ass are very talented.”

“Brian, we have never gotten into fisting.”

Nico laughed loudly, “One more question answered. I’ll get the wine,” he said as he rushed out of the room, still laughing.

“Want to bet he is texting Kevin right now?” Brian chuckled as he kissed the curve of Justin’s neck.  “Is there anything I can do to help?”

“You can get out of the kitchen and stop distracting me.” Justin turned and kissed him with his sticky hands in the air.  “I need to get this in the oven and then I will be free for maybe an hour. Why don’t you go and call the kids and make sure they will be here by  1:00 and everyone else is coming around 6:30.”

“You aren’t going to work all day,” Brian said sternly.

“Don’t worry, Brian,” Nico said as he walked in with a case of wine.  “I already told him that once the family is here he is not allowed in the kitchen.  I have all the instructions for the evening party and Gorgeous George is sending one of his students to help out.”

“See, Brian, I am going to enjoy today as soon as I get this in the oven.” Justin kissed Brian once more and turned back to the turkey.  “I’ll meet you in the hot tub in about 10 minutes.” 

“Hurry up,” Brian commented as he ran his hand over Justin’s shapely backside.

Minutes later Justin heard the door and looked over his shoulder not knowing who to expect. “Zander, you are a little early for dinner.” Following right behind him was Brennon. “Both of you.  What’s going on? You running away from home?”

“Well, sort of.  Mom and Dad were having sex and they were being really loud so we decided to come over here,” Brennon blurted and Zander smacked him. “What? He knows they have sex or we woudn’t be here. Well, I guess I could probably be here but you wouldn’t.”

“Well, whatever the reason, I am glad you’re here.”

“Grandpa, do you have anything I can eat?” Zander opened the refrigerator.

“Where is Gramps?” Brennon asked.

“Give me a second, Zander, and Bren, Brian is in the hot tub.”

“Ok, thanks.” Brennon kissed Justin’s cheek and went toward the back of the house.

Justin washed his hands and kissed Zander’s cheek and then pulled a couple things out of the fridge for Zander to munch on. “So what’s going on with you, Zan? How many girls are you balancing right now?”

“Well, I kind of have one and I kind of really like her.”

“Oh?” Justin didn’t want to sound too surprised.

“I know I was hopping around a lot but you know what?”

“What?” Justin guided him to a stool and sat down by him.

“I realized that, of course I was enjoying myself, I kind of felt, I don’t know, empty.” 

Justin hugged his grandson, “What you realized is that you want your heart to be involved as well as your body.”

“Ya, I watched and saw Jed and Bren really caring about each other, not just the sex.”

“Do you know why Bren wanted to see Brian?”

“Well, honestly we talked about who would talk to who and I won and got to talk to you.” He winked at Justin.  “Just kidding.  We didn’t fight over who got to talk to who.  But I think we are talking about opposite ends.   I think Bren wants to play the field for a while.  He and Jed are still really close but they want to date other people.”

“You are both growing up and you are both very different individuals.  And I love you both more than you can imagine.”

“I love you, too, Grandpa. My friends can’t believe I want to talk to my grandpas about stuff like this.  I really should come over more often.”

“You are always welcome, you know, and just because we don’t understand women doesn’t mean we won’t listen.” Zander hugged Justin tightly.


“Hey, Gramps,” Brennon was taking his clothes off as he walked to the hot tub and quickly slipped into the water with Brian. Brian put an arm out and Brennon sat next to him and accepted his hug and then dropped his head on Brian’s shoulder, sighing loudly.

“What’s the matter, Bren?”

“Is life always so tough?”

Brian had to smile.  When he was Brennon’s age he thought money would solve  all his problems.  His grandson was showing him money didn’t make being a teenager easier. “Oh, Brennon, life may have its moments but it is worth it in the end.  What to tell your Gramps what has you in this mood?”

“Oh, Jed and I, well we are still best friends but we both decided we need some space and we are too young to be serious.  Is that the right thing to do? I mean should I play the field for a bit? You did, right?”

“Well, yes, but I wouldn’t recommend that.” Brennon looked panicked for a second. “No, I don’t mean it that way.  You should experience life.  I just meant I was always safe when it came to condoms but I was pretty stupid when it came to my heart.”

“But, you had to find love.  You didn’t have any in your family.  I know I am loved like crazy.  I will always have that.”

“You are right. You will always have support and love but that doesn’t mean your heart can’t be hurt. Just remember there are things that come back stronger after they are broke.  When your heart hurts it fights its way back and is stronger for the next love.  Every time your grandpa and I had a fight or separated for a bit, my heart felt like it was going to fall apart but instead when we came back together we were that much stronger. Just know if your heart is a bit sad we are always here for you and so are your mom and dad.”

“And your brother!” Out of nowhere Zander jumped into the hot tub with a pair of Brian’s trunks on. “Hey, Gramps!”

“Hey, Zander.” Brian smiled at his grandson.  “Where’s your grandpa? He’s not still in the kitchen, is he?”

“No, he’s not!” Justin said as he walked down the steps into the spa.  He pushed his way between Brennon and Brian and put an arm around each of them.  He kissed each of them on the cheek.

“Oh, no, that is not going to cut it.” Brian pulled Justin back and this time the kiss was long and intense.

“Oh, shit, first Mom and Dad and now the Grandpas Plural.” Brennon moved over to sit next to his brother. Zander put his arm around his brother and Brennon put his head on his brother’s shoulder.  “We really are lucky to have such a great family. I guess we have a lot to be thankful for.”

“Ya, we do, bro.”

“Sorry, boys.” Justin said as he squirmed a little distance from Brian but still held his hand and within seconds Brian again had his arms around him and Justin snuggled up to him.  

“So, you two really used to break up sometimes?” Brennon looked over at his grandfathers.  “I have heard people talk about it but I can’t imagine you two with anyone else or without each other.”

“Some of us are slow learners but when we finally figured it out we figured it out and even when we were angry with each other, we always loved each other.  We always knew who we belonged to.” Justin kissed Brian lightly and then dropped his head on Brian’s shoulder.

“What Justin is trying to say so sweetly is that I finally had to learn to love myself so I could love him the way he deserved to be loved.”

“Brian, you know damn well we both made all kinds of mistakes and when we finally grew up we grew strong.”

The four talked for about another half hour before Justin looked at Brian, “Well, I don’t know about the three of you but I have been up for a long time and I need to baste the turkey and then hopefully, relax for a little while longer.”

“I will join you for the relaxing part,” Brian kissed him again.  They both stood and walked out of the tub.  As they entered the house they heard the boys yell and then a splash as they jumped into the pool which was only about 60° and then immediately ran back to the hot tub.

Justin led Brian into the bedroom, “I thought you needed to check the turkey.”

“Nope, Nico is in charge of it.  I just wanted to lay next to you for a few minutes.”

“Oh, I can definitely do that for you.  In fact,” he looked down at his growing erection, “If you are interested…”  Justin pushed him back onto the bed and climbed on top, straddling him.  “Are you sure your leg is up to this position?”

“If I can’t, you can flip me over.” With that Justin lowered himself onto Brian’s erection.  Brian came up to meet him and soon they were both in the rhythm and together they arched and shouted at the same time.

Brennon looked at Zander, “No wonder we are so obsessed with sex.  Look at the family we come from. Let’s get dried off and go watch a movie or play something.”

“Ya, sounds good.” As Brennon walked out of the tub Zander commented, “I really wish you would have worn trunks.  I don’t need to see that.”


Justin was in the kitchen by 12:30 to help with the last minute preparations and the twins jumped in and helped along with Brian, who started uncorking bottles of wine. Soon the house was full of family.  Brinn and Zach arrived first.   “So did you two have a nice morning ‘sleeping in’?” Brian asked his daughter when he gave her a kiss.

“We definitely did,” she smiled at Brian and turned and kissed Zach.  Zach still blushed when they talked about sex, and walked off to help his sons move chairs.  “From the glow in your cheeks I would say you two have been in bed recently, too.”

Before they could respond the door opened.  Shelby and Tallia walked in and everyone greeted each other. “Hey, Shelby, Tallia you are looking beautiful as ever.” Brinn walked over and hugged her niece and then hugged Shelby.  “Where’s my brother?”

“He’s right behind us.  Trenton was pulling up so they will be in soon.” 

“Where is Juss?” Tally asked.

“She decided to walk over so she will be here in a couple minutes.”  Tally went over to talk to the boys as Brinn led Shelby a few feet away.

“How is Trenton doing? Has he totally recovered?”

“He is doing well.  He comes for dinner once or twice a week.  The only time it is noticeable is if he gets too tired. He has really come back well.”


Gus stood on the veranda when Justice walked up.  “Hey Uncle Gus, is that Mr. Daniels coming up the drive?” Justin hugged Gus.  

“It is. How are you doing, Juss?”

“I’m great!  I am almost done with my classes and will be starting grad school after the first of the year.  Is Tally inside with everyone else?”  Gus nodded.  “I’ll let you alone with Mr. Daniels.”  She slipped inside as Trenton walked up.  

Gus stepped toward him and brought his mouth to Trenton’s.  After the kiss ended, Gus’ mouth moved to his ear, “Glad you came.”

“I can’t believe your family wants me here..not for the family dinner.”

“Pen, by now you should know you are family.” As they kissed again, a car pulled up.  Gus glanced up and saw Taylor and Ian get out of the car.  “Excuse me, Pen, but there is a little boy I want you to meet.”  Gus walked over and hugged his eldest daughter and then reached into the car and came out with the smiling little boy. “Hey, Gabriel,” he kissed his grandson.  “I have a special friend I’d like you to meet. Hey, Ian, everyone else is inside.  We’ll be right in.” Gus buried his face in the little boy’s neck and he giggled as they walked toward Pen while Taylor and Ian walked into the house.

Almost in unison everyone in the house said, “Where is Gabe?”

“I told you we could just as well stay home.  No one would notice us,” Ian joked as he hugged his mother in law.

Gus and Trenton walked in with Gabe followed by Gage and his girlfriend. Everyone had met Tawny before and all of them greeted her with open arms as well as cooed over Gabe. 

Brian started pouring wine into multiple glasses and let people each pick whatever they wanted to start with.  There was non-alcoholic wine for the twins and Gus and Trenton also picked up a glass of that. 

Trenton softly said to Gus, “You don’t have to drink that.”

Gus gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.  “No one said I had to.”  

Justin walked up to Trenton and reached for a glass of wine near him.  “I’m glad you could make it.” He rested his hand on the middle of Trenton’s back in a friendly gesture.

“I appreciate  your invitation.  I haven’t been part of a family get together in a long time.”

“You are welcome here any time, Trenton.”

“Thank you, Justin.  I appreciate that.  Most families wouldn’t be as open.”

“Well, Daniels, by now you know we aren’t an ordinary family.” Brian walked up and grabbed a glass of wine and pulled Justin up close to him.  “I think we are ready to sit and enjoy our meal.” He bent and kissed Justin sweetly before guiding  him toward his seat. He pulled out Justin’s chair and after Justin was seated, Brian walked to the other end of the table and sat down.

Soon everyone had taken their seats.  Justin clinked his glass until everyone quieted down.  “Let me guess, Grandpa, we are going to say what we are thankful for.”  Brennon, who sat next to Justin, said.

“Well, no one has to.” Brennon kissed Justin.  

“I know I am thankful for my family,” Brennon commented.  “I love all the love around this table.”

“Thanks for starting, Brennon. Anyone else like to talk?”

Taylor talked about how thankful she was for her little boy and her husband.  Justice commented how thankful she was that she had finished her undergrad work. Next Gage spoke, “I’m thankful for this beautiful woman and the baby we will have by next Thanksgiving.”

A cheer went up with lots of hugs and kisses before everyone got back to their seats.  Gus spoke next, ”I have so much to be thankful for including a new grandchild on the way but,” he turned to Shelby, “I would never be the man I am if you hadn’t been there for me. You accept me for who I am and you know what I need. And you are willing to let me be me.” With that he turned toward Trenton on his other side and smiled. And then Pen stood up.

“I am not comfortable doing this but I want all of you, especially Shelby, for the graciousness you have all shown me. I didn’t know if I would ever be able to walk or talk again and today, because of this family, I can do both.”

“Uncle Trent, you are part of our family.” Tally kissed his cheek.  “You were there for us when I was little, now we are here for you.” Trenton blushed but his heart was full. He put an arm around Tally.  

“Well, since I started all this mess, I just want to say how thankful I am for everyone of you here.  50 years ago I spent my first Thanksgiving with Brian and I never dreamed that I would still be looking at that romantic face,” he smiled at Brian.  “I love you, Brian, and I love each and everyone of you around this table.” Justin started to tell Nico he could serve the food when Brian stood up to speak.

“You know I can bullshit my way through anything but I’m not usually comfortable speaking from my heart like this  but after spending a couple weeks back in New York it reminded me that although I had my heart next to me,” he lifted his glass toward Justin, “there was a bit of me missing and that’s because, although the east coast was our past, this is our future. All of you are our future.  Even when we are no longer on this earth, all of you will continue our legacy.  The Taylor-Kinney’s will live on in each of you.” As Brian choked on his last words, he looked around and saw tears in many of their eyes while Nico was sobbing at the counter. Justin walked from his end of the table to Brian and they held each other for a moment while everyone dried their eyes. As Justin walked back to his seat, Brian looked at Nico, “Is everything ready?”

“Yes, everything is ready,” Nico said.  “Brennon and Zander, could you help me get all this food to the table?” It didn’t take long before the food was being passed and the room was filled with chatter and the clinking of silverware on plates.  Justin had a place set for Nico at the table with the family and, although he protested, he did join the family.  At one point Justin just sat back and had to smile.  Tally was holding her nephew and the expectant mother was talking to the baby.  Shelby was leaning around Gus to talk to Trenton and Gus was tilting his body around Shelby to talk to his brother in law, Zach, across the table.  Justin’s eyes met Brian’s and he smiled and nodded.  Their life really was far more than they ever could have dreamed when they were back in the loft in Pittsburgh.


The remainder of the afternoon the family just enjoyed each other’s company.  Some of them sat around the table to play board games while others sat and talked.   Justin floated around while Brian sat on the sofa with Gabe on his lap.  Nico had started organizing food for the evening get together with the server George had sent so Justin just watched the people he loved most in the world interact. He watched Shelby take her grandson and after checking his diaper she moved down the hall with him.

Justin got Brian’s attention.  “Hey, Bri, can I see you a minute?”

Brian walked over and Justin took his hand, leading him to their room. As soon as the bedroom door closed, Justin wrapped his arms around Brian’s neck and kissed him.  Brian pulled him against him.  When they stepped apart a little bit Brian said, “Is something wrong, Sunshine?”

“No, my heart was just ready to explode so I needed a little release.”  

Brian kissed him again, “This is pretty amazing isn’t it.  And another baby on the way! But we better get back or they will worry you aren’t feeling well. However, I think you are feeling very good right now.” Brian skimmed his hand down his back.   “Our family is the best. ”

“They really are.  But you’re right, we better get back. The next bunch of arrivals will be here soon.  One more kiss.” Justin brushed his lips against Brian’s as he turned the doorknob and they went back to the rest of the family.


George and Sam arrived with their kids first with a few food items that had gotten left behind.  Justice and Tally took the kids to the media room and hung out there starting a movie.  Soon John and Tony arrived with a couple of Matteo’s kids and right behind them Matty arrived with Nora and Leo. Molly and Tyler arrived with Jenna and her kids and as all the kids ended up with Juss and Tally. The last to arrive was Marcus and his whole family.  Once Jed arrived, he and the twins along with Danny and Elliott’s kids, Emma and Cadan and Leo,  grabbed some food and headed to one of the other rooms  while Nico set up a food table for the kids in the media room so they could help themselves as they watched the movie. 

The finger foods were spread out on the table with plenty of wine. As the temperature outside had cooled many of them chose some hot mulled wine and although no one was hungry they all milled around chatting and picking up a little of this and a little of that.  

Brian turned away from the table just as Matty walked up and they collided. “Woah…” Brian took Matty’s arm to steady himself.”

“Sorry about that, Uncle Brian.”

“No problem, Matty.  It has been a while since I’ve seen you.  Nora is looking as lovely as ever.”

“Ya, still love her.” He smiled as he looked across the room to where she was talking to Sam.

“It is obvious but you always have been a man of conviction and loyalty.  When I followed you to Las Vegas, although you were a little too convicted, or should I say almost convicted.”

“You know, Uncle Brian, I was pretty reckless.  I am not sure what would have happened if…”

“Matty, that’s what family does.”

“That’s what our family does.”  Matty gave Brian a side hug making sure he didn’t spill his wine.  “I wish Jonna could have come home for Thanksgiving but since our dads had just visited her she decided to wait and she will be here for Christmas and I hear she is thinking about moving back to the states so if we can find them jobs they may stay.”

“Well, we both know if they want jobs we can manage that.  I have a feeling Brinn and Zach wouldn’t mind help with the winery if they are interested in that.  It wouldn’t take much to upgrade the house Jim and Mary used to live in. We had talked about doing that before. If I remember correctly Jonna’s partner had some experience with wine.”

“That is exactly what I was hoping you would say.  They will be in touch.” Matty hugged Brian who hugged the younger man warmly.

Justin walked up to Danny and Brinn and smiled, “You know, the two were meant to be best friends.”

“I think you are right, Daddy.  I am not sure I would have survived without Danny.”

“Well, Tia, I  know I wouldn’t have survived without you.  You gave me confidence enough to be, well, to be me.  Of course, Dad and Marcus gave me the home I needed for security and were always there for me,” Danny pulled Marcus over and put an arm around him.  

“What is all this…” Marcus looked suspiciously at Danny.

“I was just telling them that without you and Dad, I wonder where I would be today. I wouldn’t have an amazing husband and two great kids, not to mention a career.  I would probably still be on the street if  I was even alive.”

“Oh, Danny, you had it in you.  Dan and I just made it more accessible.  You worked hard for what you have made yourself.” 

“Hey, Dad, can you come over here?” Gus called to Justin who excused himself and walked over to where Gus was standing with Gage.

“What up, you two?”

“Grandpa, are you and Gramps going to Ibiza over Christmas?”

“No, we mentioned going sometime but right now we are ready to stay home for a while. Why?”

“Well, I was wondering if I could use it after Christmas.  I want to propose on New Year’ Eve and I thought that would be the perfect place to do it.”

“Oh, I am sure that would be fine.  Let us know if you want us to set up the plane for you, too.”

“Oh, we don’t need that.  We can take a regular flight,” Gage responded.

“We can talk about that later but I will let our caretaker know you are coming.  They will get everything ready and have a housekeeper available for you.”

“Oh, Grandpa, that would be so perfect.” Gage hugged Justin and kissed him.

“What could I say? You are giving us another great grandchild.”

“All that means is I had sex with the woman I love,” Gage laughed.

“I am just glad we could help you out.”

“What did we help with?” Brian walked up just as Gage smiled and stepped away.

“I’ll tell you later,” Justin kissed him. “Could this day get any better?”

Brian held him close, “It doesn’t get better than this. Did you get anything to eat?”

“I was just thinking about picking up a couple things to try.  It looks really good.”

“What I have tasted is.”

“Hey, you two, how was the big apple?” Molly slipped between them.

Justin hugged his sister, “It was perfect.” Brian pulled Justin against him again.

“It shows on both of your faces.” She glanced over at Tyler.  “I wish we had time to get away.  I can’t remember the last time the two of us got away.  With Dan being sick and Tyler taking over the business a couple years ago…”

“Make time,” Brian said simply.  “Go somewhere, just the two of you.” Brian looked down at Justin,  “There is nothing more important.”

“Brian Kinney, did you get romantic in your older age?”

“His true colors have just managed to work their way out.” Justin leaned against him.  “He is right, Molly, go somewhere, anywhere.”

“I think I’ll try to take your advice.”

“If Tyler gives you any lip, let me know and I will have Marcus order him away.  Adam is a good business man and he is spending more and more time down here.  Maybe he could take over the business end of the business, freeing Tyler up a bit.”

“Do you really think that might happen?”

“I don’t think it would take much.”

“Oh, I can only imagine seeing him once in a while.”

Taylor and Ian were the first to leave. Little Gabe was asleep in his car seat.  Brian and Justin both kissed him goodbye and then hugged and kissed Taylor and Ian.  “Grandpas, I am so glad you are back in California for good.  Gabe is going to need to get to know the two of you.”

“Well, that means you will have to bring him to visit often.” Justin said.

“Oh, I will, Grandpa.  I love you both.”

“Oh Taylor, we love you, too.” And they were gone and once they had left, the others started trickling out.  

George went to the media room to get his kids and Justice walked up and slipped her arm around him.  “Hey, Father George, I was hoping you’d come in here.  I will be heading to grad school after the first of the year.”

“I am so proud of you, Jussy.  I am so glad you and my other kids have gotten to know each other.  You didn’t need another dad.”

“No, my dad will always be my dad but I will always know you’re my father.” 

George had to hug his eldest child.  “You make all of us proud.”  Soon his other kids came over and he and Sam left.

All the rest of the couples with teenagers headed home because all the kids had friends they wanted to connect with.  Brian and Justin stood at the door and said goodbye to everyone as they left.  John and Tony were the last two left and they helped move some of the chairs back to their proper spot.

“Well, I think we are going home if you don’t need any more help.” John walked over to Brian and put an arm around him. 

“Please, go home.  Nico has put away the food and he will do the cleaning in the next couple days.  You two head home.”

Antony and Nico were still chatting in Italian until John waved him over.  “John, did you tell them we plan to have Christmas Eve at our house?”

“I hadn’t yet.  We do plan to have a gathering for Christmas Eve but we will talk several times before then.  Of course your whole family is invited, unless you are planning your Christmas party that night.”

“I can’t talk for the kids but they are coming here on Christmas day so we are free Christmas Eve.” Brian let them know.

“Now you two go home and relax.  I know I am ready for bed,” Justin said.

“You two are always ready for bed,” Tony laughed.

“Well, yes.  I have to admit a lot more time in bed is now spent sleeping or trying to sleep but as long as I’m laying next to Sunshine, I’m content.”  Justin wrapped his arms around Brian and laid his head on his chest.

“Well, let us get out of your way.  We’ll talk soon.” The four men exchanged hugs and John and Tony left.

Nico popped out of the laundry, “You go on to bed.  I am going to get a load started and then I am going to bed.  I will clean up the media room in the morning, if you don’t mind.”

“Nico,” Brian put his arm around Nico’s shoulder, “Thank you for your hard work today.  Take your time cleaning up.  We aren’t planning on having any company for a bit so take your time.  If it's Monday before the house is back to normal, that is not a problem.”

“You were great today, Nico. Thanks for all your help.” Justin hugged him. “You made my day so pleasant.”

“I should thank you.  The love I see in this house gives me hope in humanity.” Nico got a far away look for a moment.  “Now off with the two of you.” Brian and Justin caught each other’s eye and each kissed Nico on the cheek before linking hands on the other side of him and walking down the hall to their room.

They both got ready for bed without talking, each in their own thoughts.    Once they both had their teeth brushed they met in the middle of the big bed. Brian laid his head on Justin’s chest and let his body relax.

“You and Matteo seemed to be deep in conversation earlier.  What were you talking about?”  Justin ran his fingers through Brian’s soft hair.

“We were just talking about our adventure in Las Vegas.  Not that I thought he’d change but always has had such a big heart. I know he works for nothing in a lot of the cases he takes and he and Nora do their best to live off of what they earn in their jobs.”

“Brian, I know damn well you have been putting money into his practice all along.  Home come he doesn’t know that?”

“I set up a foundation that isn’t connected to my name in any way. By now, many other businessmen help fund it.  It’s not all me anymore. What were you and Gage talking about?”

“He was wondering if the villa was free between Christmas and the first of the year.  He wants to propose and it wouldn’t surprise me if they come back married.”

“One less wedding I have to attend.”  Justin swatted Brian’s shoulder but then kissed the spot he had smacked.

Justin continued with his thoughts, “I think they are good together.  And a new baby!  Maybe we’ll  have a great granddaughter this time.” Brian had repositioned himself and now Justin lay his head on Brian’s shoulder as Brian pulled him close. “I am worn out.  It was a great day and it was so good to be home with the family after being in Pittsburgh the last couple years but this is when I remember I am not 30 anymore.”

“You always look young and beautiful to me.”

“Remind me to make you an appointment at the optometrist.”

“So funny,” Brian’s hand made contact with Justin’s ass. It was hard enough for Justin to jump. 

“Ouch! That actually hurt.”

“You used to like pain.”

“With this body I get enough pain just getting up each day.”

“I think we both have our share of aches and pains but it is easier to take it when you have so much to enjoy.  Oh, Matty said Jonna might be moving back with her partner.  I thought, if they are interested, Zach and Brinn might be able to use them here at the vineyard.  Jim and Mary’s house needs some work but Gus could take care of that.  He loves fixing up old houses and that one has great bones, or that is what I heard him say.”

Justin stroked Brian’s chest, “Brian, there is nothing else we need is there?”

“There isn’t anything I can think of that would make me happier except my 30 year old body,” he paused. “And more time with Dan. I never got tired of talking to him.” Brian’s voice turned sad.

“I know, Bri, I miss him too. And although I wouldn’t mind at all seeing your 30 year old body, I know I couldn’t keep up with it anymore and I am very fond of your current body.” Justin tipped his face to Brian who kissed him.

“Did you ever think at 18 you’d still be with me at this age?”

“I know you probably don’t believe this but I knew there would never be anyone else for me.  We have both had our issues over the years but, Brian Kinney, my heart still skips a beat every time you look at me.”

“That’s because it is skipping because I see you.  You have had my heart for years and I am so glad you shared your heart with me and taught my heart what love really was.”

Justin slowly moved his mouth to Brian’s and his tongue gently separated his lips, feeling Brian’s warm tongue caress his.  When they finally separated he said, “Good night, my love.  I am so glad I did this life with you.”

“Sunshine, I hope we can do a few more years but I could never have done this life without you.”

 

Epilogue by Simply written
Author's Notes:

This Epilogue does include a death of a major character.  If you have read the whole series you may or may not want to know how the lives of our beloved characters come to a conclusion.  The choose is yours.

Can’t Do Life Without You

Epilogue


April 25th, the day after their 50th wedding anniversary


“What are you thinking about, Sunshine?”  Brian and Justin were laying in bed as the sun began to  peak in the window. 


“I was thinking how much fun it was watching Gabe help his little sister.  He is very much like his mother.  Taylor and Ian are doing a great job raising him and his little sister.  My mom would be so thrilled that Taylor named her Jennifer. I’m glad Gage made it even though his family didn’t make it.” Justin’s voice suddenly trailed off.

Brian noticed Justin blink and grimace.  “Another headache?”

“Ya, I’m sure if I take…”

“This is happening too often.  You are going to see a doctor, today!  I’ll call Elliott as soon as the office opens.” When Justin didn’t argue Brian got more concerned.  He got Justin some pain killers and then closed the curtains so the sun didn’t get in his eyes.  He also brought a damp washcloth for his eyes.  “Rest, Sunshine. Yesterday was a very busy day.” Brian tightened his robe around him and took his cane as he walked out of the room.  He could definitely feel the effects of the busy day.  Being 90 wasn’t easy.  He hated using the cane but  after falling six months earlier he didn’t leave the bedroom without it.

Brian called Elliott as soon as he was in the kitchen.  “Brian, for you to call this early, something is up.”

“Yes, Justin is having another headache and although he won’t admit it, I can tell this one is really bad. Elliott, you said these headaches would probably get really bad before…”

“Brian, I will need to run some tests.  He is going to need to have an MRI and a cat scan so I can compare them to the ones I ran last time.”

“Elliott, what if….is there really anything…” Brian was getting emotional.  “What if…”

“Don’t jump to conclusions.  You have had a lot going on and it could just be the stress of the extra activities.  Justin has lived with this condition for 60 years and I know he had an episode years ago but that doesn’t necessarily…”

“Elliott, I don’t need any false hope, I need facts.  I know that Sunshine is a fighter and he isn’t going to give into this but don’t lie to us, ever.”  Brian’s anxiousness was coming through over the phone.

“Brian, let’s run tests before we over think this.  I will make them squeeze him in.  Why don’t you come in about 9:30.  Let me call Gus so he….”

“NO! Justin will not want them to worry. I can…”

“May I call Marcus? I don’t want you driving and worrying about Justin.”

“Yes, that would be fine.”

“He will pick you up at 9:00.” Elliott hung up with Brian and immediately called Marcus.  

“Hey, El, what’s up?”  Elliott quickly told Marcus what was going on. “Elliott, how worried should I be?”

“Marcus, I really don’t know.  I need to get him into these tests.  It may be nothing more than he has had for years.  He has been very busy.  It might just be a reaction to being over tired.  I have told him the last couple years he needs to slow down.”

“Justin doesn’t know how to do that.  I will have them at your office at 9:30.”


“Sunshine, let’s get you dressed.  Marcus is going to take us to see Elliott.”

“My head really hurts, Bri.”

“I know, darling.  Elliott will help you soon.” Brian helped Justin with his shirt and pants and then washed his face and combed his hair. By the time Marcus arrived, Justin was ready with dark sunglasses on.  

Marcus gave Brian a quick hug and then very gently wrapped his arms around his best friend.  “I’m sorry you are feeling so lousy after such a great party.  If you want to keep your eyes shut, you can just hang on to me.  Brian, I have Justin.  I’ll get him settled in the back seat and you can sit next to him.” Marcus was worried about Brian, too.  He could see the worry on his face.  Brian was 90 years old.  He was getting more fragile and something like this was very hard on him. Marcus listened to Brian talk softly to Justin all the way to Elliott’s office. Elliott was waiting at the entry with a wheelchair and he whisked Justin off   while Marcus offered Brian his arm and Brian accepted it.

“Marcus, did Elliott say where he was taking Sunshine?”

“He is going to run the tests, Brian.  I know you trust Elliott.  He will take good care of him and he will give him something for his headache.”

“Thanks, Marcus.  I’m sorry I’m just so….” Brian didn’t finish his sentence. He just sat with tears in his eyes.

“Brian, you haven’t eaten anything have you?”  Brian shook his head. “But I’m not…”

“Justin will need you to be strong to take care of him.  I will get you a cup of coffee and something for you to eat.  You stay here and I will be back in a few minutes.”  He hated leaving him alone but he knew Brian would feel better if he had something in his stomach.  Marcus was back in less than 10 minutes with coffee for both of them and yogurt and a muffin for Brian.  He hadn’t moved an inch.  Robotically, Brian opened the yogurt and ate it, sipping coffee in between.  

When he had finished eating he looked a little more stable.  “How long has it been? Why haven’t we heard something?”

“It’s been about an hour.  I’ll go see if we can find something ….”  Marcus stopped talking when he saw Elliott coming down the aisle.  

“Brian, why don’t you come with me to my office.  We have a few things to talk about.  Marcus can come with you or wait here.” 

Brian didn’t say anything but reached out for Marcus’ hand and Marcus stood, taking Brian’s hand he tucked it into his elbow and together they followed Elliott.  They sat in the small sitting area El had in his office.  Brian squeezed Marcus’ hand as he listened to Elliott. Marcus put his arm around Brian’s shoulder.

“Brian, we have completed both the MRI and the Cat Scan.  I don’t have answers yet but because of Justin’s pain level I gave him something so he could rest easier.”

“You didn’t bring us in here to tell us you didn’t know anything,”  Brian commented in the no nonsense manner they expected from him.

“You are right, Brian.  Before Justin fell asleep, he said something to me I wanted to pass on to you.  I just want you to know what Justin is going to tell you so you are ready for it.”

“Spit it out, Elliott,” Brian snapped. “I need to go to his side.”

“Brian, he doesn’t want any more surgeries. I have no idea what the tests will show but he made it clear no surgery and he made sure he signed a DNR statement.  He does not want to be resuscitated if it gets to that.”

Marcus looked over at Brian expecting him to have an outburst but he sat quietly for a second before saying, “Can I go see him now?”

“Brian, did you hear what I …..”

“Elliott, I may be old but I can still hear. Yes, I heard you. Now will Justin be staying here or will he be going home.”

“I will need to see the test results but if his pain is under control, I expect him to go home, even if he needs a little assistance.  I know that wouldn’t be a problem for you.”

“Can I go see my husband now?” Brian asked.

“Of course, I will take you to him.”

“Marcus,if you can’t wait….”

“I’ll be in the waiting room until you tell me different.”

“Thanks, Marc.” With cane in hand, Brian followed Elliott.

Elliott pointed at a door. “Justin is sleeping in this room.  I will go check on the results.  I would guess it is going to be about 45 minutes before I get the results and have a chance to look at them.”

“Is there anything I should know I can or can’t do.”

“He has an IV for the pain killer but other than that, there is nothing serious so if you want to slip into bed and take a nap with him feel free.”

Brian didn’t answer but left Elliott standing in the hall alone. Brian walked to the bed and without a second thought he did just what Elliott said.  He laid down next to Justin and after kissing his temple and wrapping an arm around him, he slept.

“Brian?”  Brian came out of his sleep.  

“Hey, Sunshine.” Brian kissed Justin’s lips. “How is your headache?”

“It is much better.  Can I go home soon?”  

“Elliott will be coming in soon and tell us what he found and then we can go home.”

“Has he told you anything? You need to be honest with me.”

“The only thing he told me was what you said to him. Justin, this is probably just an easy fix. Maybe they just need to get rid of some scar tissue.”

“Brian, that scar tissue is in my head, if that is what it is.  I just don’t want to do that again.”

“Just promise me you will listen to all your options and that we can talk about them.”

“Of course, Brian.  I promise.”  As Justin finished the statement, Elliott entered the room.

“Justin, how are you feeling?”

“Much better.  Can I go home?”

“Soon.  We need to let the drugs work out of your body and see if the pain stays away.” Elliott pulled up a chair and sat next to Justin.  “I have reviewed the test results and we did find something.  You have already told me you aren’t interested in having surgery again, which I am actually glad of.  Yes, we could try a very tricky surgery that may or may not relieve your pain.  I know you know how serious your head injury was and you have lived with the consequences over the years.  That last surgery really cleared up many of your issues for many years but, there is no easy way to say it, it has come back.  We have known there is scar tissue there but it has not been a big problem but now it appears there is a weakness occurring.  It is the pressure from that that is causing the pain.”

“How long do I have?” Justin asked as Brian tightened his arm around him.

“Justin,  you could have several years if you remain very quiet.”

“And if I continue to live my life when the pain isn’t debilitating?”

“It could be months, but it could be weeks.”

“When can I go home?”

“Wait a minute, Sunshine!  Isn’t there anything, something minor that you can do?”

Justin rolled over to face Brian, “Baby, I want to live the life I have left.  Take me home.”

“But….” Brian started to interrupt.

Elliott stood, “I will get the paperwork started to get you out of here.  That will take about 30 minutes and by then your meds will have worked their way out of your system. Oh, I’ll let Marcus know you will be ready in half an hour.  He ran to his office.”

Justin smiled at Elliott, “Thank you, Elliott.  You changed your whole morning around for us.”

“Anything for family. Our family has taught me that.” With that Elliott left the room.

“Justin, you can’t just let…”

Justin leaned forward and kissed him, “Brian, don’t fight me on this.  It isn’t like my leg was.  I am a lot older and I could have lived without my leg.  There just isn’t any way to live without your brain and I don’t want to be alive but not be able to really live.”


An hour later Brian and Justin were home.  Marcus had left and, although Brian tried to get him to lay down, Justin refused.  He went out to the back and sat in the spring sun by the pool. Brian gave up arguing with him and sat next to him. 

“Justin, don’t you think…”

“Brian, we need to talk.” Justin rested against him.

“I don’t want to hear this.”

“I know you don’t but you have to listen.”   Brian slumped back as Justin turned to face him.  “I am going to live my life the way I want to.  I am sure I will have bad days but on the days that aren’t bad, I want to work on my art and I want to have lunch with our kids. I want to see the grandkids and I don’t want them to know about it until we know it is very close.”

“Justin, that isn’t fair to them.  They deserve to be able to spend time….”

“Bri, our kids visit so often.  If they knew they would be putting their own lives on hold.  When the headaches get so frequent we can’t hide it, they will know.  Not before.” Justin was getting a bit wound up.

“Calm down, Sunshine.  You know what El said about staying calm. I don’t like it but I will do what you ask.  I …. Damn, how can this be happening?”

“Brian, everyone knows the time will come.  Some people just have an idea how long it will be.”

Brian pulled him close and kissed him.  “Hell, I was supposed to go first.  I never thought I would have to say goodbye to….” he stopped talking and hugged him tightly.  


The next six weeks things almost seemed normal.  A couple days he took the medication Elliott had given him for pain but most of the time he acted like nothing had changed.  As they entered June, Brian noticed Justin was quieter than normal.  He was sleeping more and when he was awake, he had trouble focusing.  The only thing he seemed to be able to concentrate on, and only for short periods of time, was his art.  He worked on a family portrait for short periods of time and by the end of June, Justin was in bed longer each day.  He also was in pain most days, some days it was tolerable but other days he needed complete silence and no light just to bare the pain even on the potent medication.

One evening when Brian got in bed he softly said, “It’s time, Sunshine.  It is time to tell the kids because they will know something is up when we don’t go for the Fourth of July.”

“I can make it.  I don’t want to ruin the holiday.”

“Justin, it is time.   I have allowed you to keep this from them but no more.  I am going to invite them to come with Zach and Shelby  tomorrow night.  They need to know.  7:00 sound alright?”

Justin gave up, “Yes, 7:00 is fine.”


Justin woke up in a great deal of pain but he only took half a dose of medication and forced himself to go to the in-house studio.  Brian didn’t argue with him.  He checked on him frequently through the security cameras.  He knew Justin wanted to finish the painting he had been working on but Brian hated seeing him in so much  pain and knew the stress wasn’t good for him but his determination took priority.  At one point he saw Justin grab onto a stool so he didn’t fall down.  Brian finally went into the room.  He brought a sandwich and a cup of coffee.

“Justin, you need to take a break. I brought a sandwich and coffee.” 

Justin had a wild look in his eyes for a moment but then walked over and collapsed into a chair he had in the room.  He took the coffee but waved off the food.  “I can’t eat right now.  What time is it?”

“It’s around 3:00.  The kids will be here in four hours.  You should really take a nap.”

“I need to finish this.”

“Sunshine, you need to rest. The painting will be here tomorrow.”

“But I don’t know if I will be.”

“Damn, Justin, I’m not ready for this.”

“I need to finish that painting.  It will be my last piece of art for my family.”

“But, Sunshine, I would rather have you around…”

Justin stood and kissed Brian.  “Thanks for the coffee.  Come get me at 4:30 and I promise I will lay down for an hour and then eat something before the kids get here for dessert.”

“Alright,” Brian didn’t argue.  He could deny him nothing at this point. He kissed him and walked out leaning heavily on his cane.  He stopped in the kitchen and told the current intern to have dinner ready at 6:00 and there would be 4 more for dessert.  He then added that maybe homemade soup would be good if it wasn’t too much work.  He then slowly moved toward his bedroom where he felt a heaviness he hadn’t felt since he had been in the outback. He laid on his bed and holding onto Justin’s pillow he allowed himself to cry.

By 4:30 Brian had pulled himself together. Went to the studio.  Justin half sat half leaned on the stool and stared at the canvas in front of him. “Are you ready to call it a day?”

“I’m done with it. Does it look done? Do I need to add more?”

“It is stunning.  I could look at it for hours and still miss so much.”

“I wanted to show it to Brinn and Gus tonight.  They need to know that I want prints made for everyone and Franco,” his last intern, “has the skills needed to do it the way I would.”

“Now that it is done, you can take it easy. We can spend our days in the sun or in bed.” Brian was guiding Justin down the hall to the bedroom.  Once Justin was laying down Brian went to the office and wrote an email to Franco.  He could just hit send when the time came.  Since he was in there he wrote to Gus and Brinn.  He knew how emotional he would be at the time and he wanted them to know what they had talked about in the last couple months.  In the letter, he expressed that they both wanted to be cremated with no monument at a cemetery.  Right after they learned their time was limited, they found a spot at the edge of the vineyard that had a stunning view.  They ordered a bench that day and it had been delivered last week and was stored in the Barn.  Justin wanted his ashes spread there as did Brian when the time came and then when the family wanted to visit them they could go to that bench.

Brian called up a picture of the bench and tried to picture himself sitting there without Justin and no matter how hard he tried, he never saw himself sitting there.  That spot would be for their family, not him. He finished the letter with Justin’s last wishes and walked back to the bedroom.  He sat on the edge of the bed and kissed Justin’s cheek.  

“Sunshine, are you ready to get up?”

Justin blinked, “Can you get me a pill?”

“Sure, let me help you sit up,” Brian helped him and then gave him a full pill and refused to let him take only half. 

“Brian, I want to shower.  I want to look, well, like me.  Not like this haggard old man.”  Together they showered.  They had put a bench in there months ago so with the hand held shower they could safely shower together.  Brian rubbed Justin’s hair as Justin held the hand held shower head. “Remember the acrobatics we used to do in the shower?”

“It is really amazing we never seriously hurt ourselves,” Brian leaned forward and kissed Justin at the spot where his neck turned into his shoulder and he lingered there.  “Sunshine, what am I going to do without you.  I tried to picture sitting on the bench without you, and I just can’t do it.  Don’t hate me if I don’t visit you in that spot.”

“Oh, darling, I could never hate you and you don’t have to go there to talk to me. My heart will still be beating only for you.” The men embraced for a few moments not wanting to separate. 

Brian gently separated from him.  “We better get moving.  You need to eat something before the kids get here for dessert.”


At 6:30 Brian and Justin were eating some luscious chicken soup.  It was rich and creamy and full of calories which is what both men needed right now.  It was obvious both of them had lost weight in the last couple months.  Both men ate the soup along with homemade biscuits slathered with butter.   

At 6:30 Brinn and Gus were on the phone together. “Gus, have our dads talked to you at all? Do you have any idea what is up with this dessert thing tonight? I don’t think it is anything good.”

“I have been kept in the dark, just like you but I agree, something is obviously wrong.  Have you actually seen them in the last couple weeks?”

“I stopped by at the end of last week on my way past.  They both looked tired and maybe thinner.  When I mentioned it, they both blew me off.  Daddy just said something about a headache and that had kept both of them up the night before.”

“I’m not sure I am ready for this conversation,” Gus said softly.

“I know I’m not.  We thought years ago Dad’s cancer would come back.  Maybe that has happened and at his age, they wouldn’t do anything but keep him comfortable.”

“Damn, Brinn, I know we have been lucky to have him this long but Brian Kinney was a god in his day.  He should never die.”

Brinn sniffed, “I can’t think about it.  I need to just hold it together until I hear it from them.”

“Brinny, whatever happens I am always here for you.  You know that, right?”

“I love you, too, Gussy.  I will see you in a few minutes.”

At 7:00 the two couples met at the door of Brian and Justin’s house and rang the bell.  Brian opened the door, and waved the couples in.  There was already a pot of coffee on the table as well as cups and dessert already on plates.  In the corner there was a painting on an easel facing away from them.

“Wow, this looks pretty formal.” Shelby said as, after hugs, they all took a seat.

Brinn couldn’t bear even a few seconds of silence.  She blurted, “What is going on? Dad, is your cancer back? I know that could likely happen but…” 

Justin reached over and squeezed her hand and she stopped talking.  “It’s not your dad.  I have been having trouble for some time and after our anniversary I had a bunch of tests run.  There is nothing that can be done.  I had a lot of good days at first but now, well, it’s just a matter of time.”

“Oh, no, Daddy.  It can’t be….I don’t think I can….” Zach put his arms around his sobbing wife.  Gus and Shelby also had tears running down their cheeks.

“I knew it was something but I guess ….” Gus took a breath.  “How long did they say? Will you be here for Christmas?”

“Gus, I’m not sure I will be here on the Fourth of July.”

“No, Daddy, that is less than a week aways!  This can’t be happening.  It just can’t...” Brinn dropped to the floor at Justin’s side and hugged him tightly. 

After a few minutes everyone had gotten themselves under control.  Justin filled his cup with coffee and passed the pot to Brian.  Without thinking the carafe was passed around the table and then as Justin took a bite of the creamy dessert in front of him, everyone else followed suit and soon all of them had empty plates. 

“Zach, son, could you get the easel and painting and bring it over here.” Zach nodded and brought the painting to him, turning it so everyone could see it.

The four guests all gasped at the painting.  It was so complex. “Oh, Daddy, this is….this makes my heart soar and shatter.”

The picture had Brian and Justin, front and center and none of them were sure how but as they looked at it the image seemed to morph back and forth from them as young lovers to an image of them today.  On either side of them, slightly less distinct were pictures of Gus and Shelby on  Brian’s side and Brinn and Zach on Justin’s side.  There was a slight mist over them and behind each couple were their children with their children.  Each level had more haze over it.  As they kept looking at it the house they sat in appeared in the haze and in the far back of the painting Dan and Marcus stood with Danny and Hannah.  It was obvious there were many more figures in the background but right now they couldn’t identify them all.  

“Oh, this is so stunning.  That group in the background, is that the gang from Pittsburgh?” Brinn asked.

“Yes, it is.  I told your dad that I want Franco to make this into a print.  He will do an excellent job so have him do it.”

“Ok, Daddy, whatever you want.”

Brian looked back and forth between his children, “I know when the time comes I might not be thinking straight so I have written down everything Justin just said.  We also want you to know that we have a bench that will be placed on the vineyard,” Brian explained exactly where it would be. “Neither of us want a burial plot or formal headstone so when it is time, cremation and then sprinkle the ashes near the bench.  I know I am going to be a mess so all of this is on my computer.”

Gus reached for his dad, “Pops, we are here for you but of course you have thought of everything.  I bet you have the password to your computer posted for me, too.”

“I do.  It is probably already in your email.  I had it sent out at 7:30 tonight.”  Brian sighed as he slumped backward.  I wanted to tell you….”

“He wanted to tell you as soon as we found out but I wanted you to live your life until it was about time. You have both always been here for us and, well, you have your own lives to live.”

Brian looked over at Justin and then looked between their children.  “I don’t want to rush you off but your dad is getting tired and I think he needs to get to bed.  We have a nurse starting in the morning and there will be someone here twenty four seven to help control Justin’s pain.  Stop by when you want and if there are changes I will contact you,” Brian’s voice was now wavering. “I….” Justin reached for him and kissed him.

“Your dad is right.  I do need to go to bed.”

“Oh, one more thing, Matteo has the will.  There is a trust with all the grandchildren specified equally.”   As Brian stood and tried to help Justin up, he swayed.

“Zach, could you walk with me and we can make sure Dad gets to bed.  Pops, you can follow us.”  Gus took charge. After the women hugged Justin and Brian, the men began their way down the hall while Shelby wrapped her arms around her sister in law.  

“I can’t believe what we just learned.” Brinn said as she hugged Shelby.

Zach and Gus returned quickly and as they walked out together they started planning visits and a schedule that made sure one of them was always available but as they talked it was obvious they planned to be here as much as possible. Brinn and Gus hugged.

“I had prepared myself for Dad but when it was Daddy….I just can’t wrap my head around it.”

“I feel the same way.  I will see you in the morning.”


Brian helped Justin into bed. “How bad is it?” Justin just shut his eyes as Brian pulled his shirt off over his head and as Justin laid back, Brian tugged his pants off. He then undressed and laid next to Justin. “What can I do?”

“Give me a couple of the painkillers.” Brian hesitated for a moment but then realized the narcotic he gave him really didn’t matter.  He didn’t expect there was enough time for him to actually become addicted.

Justin swallowed them and with Brian lying next to him Justin pressed himself against him.  Brian opened his mouth to say something but Justin put his finger on Brian’s mouth to silence him before resting in Brian’s arms and closing his eyes. Out of pure emotional exhaustion, Brian fell asleep.

The next day, Danny stopped by early to show the nurse around the house and give him directions to the care Justin might need. Brinn came in and walked over and slapped Danny before collapsing into his arms.  “Why didn’t you tell me? You knew all along and you didn’t tell me.  But I am your best friend and…” Danny held her tightly.

“We will make him comfortable. There really isn’t anything that could be done.”

“I know Dad would have fought him tooth and nail if anything could have helped.”

“Brinn, El and I are here if you need anything. You were always there for me when Dad was sick.”

“Thanks, Danny.  Is he awake?”

“He is but it isn’t a good morning. I don’t know what they told you but the quieter it is the better for him if for no other reason he may be able to keep the pain in control a bit more. I also hooked up an IV today so it will be easier for him to get pain relief.”

“Is the pain bad, do you think?”  she sounded like a little girl at that moment.

“He’s tough, Brinn, but he is tired.” They hugged once more and Danny left for work.


On July first, Justin  woke in the middle of the night. “Brian, baby…” Justin groaned as he was sure something was going to explode in his head. “Bri? The rest drifted into moaning.

Brian shifted and turned toward him. “Sunshine, what is it? What’s happening? Let me get the nurse.”

“No, I don’t want anyone else around.  I just want you.” He pushed the button that dispensed the morphine several times. “The pain is…” he sighed as the morphine kicked in.  “I need to say a couple things.”

“No, Sunshine, just relax.”

“No, this is the last… I have never been prouder than when I could say you are my husband.” Justin closed his eyes and took another breath.  “Please, just know I loved you to the end and as long as that heart beats,” he touched Brian’s chest, “I am still with you.” Justin pulled Brian to him and they kissed one last time. Justin laid back on his pillow and closed his eyes.  

“Justin, oh Sunshine.  Please, open your eyes.” Brian pushed the button next to the bed that buzzed in the nurse’s room across the hall.  Moments later the nurse came in and quickly tried to find Justin’s pulse and then listened to his heart.

“Mr. Kinney, it is only a matter of time.  Would you like me to call your children?”

“Wait until it is over and then yes, please.”  

Brian held Justin close and the nurse said he would be back in five minutes so Brian could say goodbye.  “Sunshine, I feel my heart wanting to stop.  There is no reason for me to go on without you. I have no life without you.” Brian watched Justin’s chest rise and fall one last time before Brian’s head dropped onto it and he wept.  The nurse came in quietly and checked for a pulse and then after touching Brian’s shoulder, he walked back out to call Gus and Brinn.

Brian pulled Justin’s now limp body against his, “Oh, Sunshine, what am I going to do.  I really don’t have any reason to….”  Brian’s eyes opened wide for a moment and then he closed them.  “I knew when you were gone my heart couldn’t go on,” he whispered as he drew his last breath himself.

Gus and Brinn arrived at the same time and rushed into the house where they found the nurse.  He had a stunned look on his face.  “Mr. Kinney, Mrs. Chase I don’t know how to tell you this but…”

“They are both gone, aren’t they.” Brinn commented matter of factly and then she stepped into Gus’ arms.  “They told us a thousand times that they shared their hearts. There was no way for one to live without the other. Gus, we had the best parents ever, didn’t we?”

 

“Yes, Brinny, the best ever and we were lucky enough to learn how to love from them.


This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1606