A Woman Scorned by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

A woman doesn't like to be ignored.

 

Story #67 in The Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 28690 Read: 8113 Published: Jan 03, 2021 Updated: Jan 03, 2021
Story Notes:

Banner by Sabina

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine




A Woman Scorned

 


Chapter 1


 


Tom slowed his car as he approached his toll house cottage where he saw a very familiar Jeep parked out in front.  He pulled around the corner to where the driveway was then pulled in.  The toll house was literally on the crossroads that before the highway was built was once a heavily traveled thoroughfare.  Now the crossroads in the middle of nowhere was almost as quiet as Edna’s Treasures Lane.  Probably quieter considering how the lane had grown.  Tom entered his cottage from the side, flipping on light switches until he reached the front door.  He flipped the last switch that lit the outside lamps then he opened his front door.


 


“Isn’t it a little late in the season to be gardening?” Tom asked the man crouched in the middle of his front garden.


 


“It’s never too late to be gardening,” the man replied, never looking or standing up.  Tom watched for a few more minutes before venturing to speak.


 


“It looks like you’re planting cabbages,” Tom commented as he squinted.  It was relatively early in the day but being late November the sun was already going down.  “Can I cook them?”


 


“No you may not cook them,” came an exasperated retort.  “They’re ornamental cabbages.  You may look but not touch.  I’ll change them when they start to wilt.”


 


“Okay.”  Tom left the man to his cabbages.  “I’m a bit cold.  There’ll be a pot of coffee on the stove when you’re ready.”  Tom got a grunt of acknowledgment then went inside.


 


About an hour later Tom heard the front door open and the thud of feet scraping against the door mat.


 


“Hey, Padre!”


 


“Kitchen!”  Tom then heard a set of size twelves come sauntering toward the kitchen.  “Coffee?” Tom asked as he held up a steaming mug.  Hazel eyes brightened as a rare smile lit up Brian’s face.  Pulling off his work gloves then removing his jacket, Brian accepted the mug, sitting at the table as Tom slid the sugar over to him.  Tom let Brian take a few sips and settle before speaking.


 


“So we needed cabbages in my front garden because…?”


 


“The Fall mums were dead and needed replacing,” Brian cryptically replied.


 


“I see.  And you had to plant them in the middle of the night?” 


 


Brian glared.  “Isn’t it some sort of a sin when a man of the cloth exaggerates like you do?  It’s only six.  Now if I was out here at two in the morning you might have had a point.”  Brian sat back with a smug look on his face genteelly sipping his coffee.


 


“You know sometimes I forget what an asshole you can be,” Tom snarked.


 


“Language, Padre.”


 


“Thanks to you I’m no longer a padre so I can curse up a storm.”


 


“Yeah, about that.”


 


“It’s all good, Brian, really.  I’ve never been this happy before.  The Episcopalian congregation is so accepting.  I’m needed there and wanted.  And Todd and I are finally settled in.”


 


“Speaking about your other half, where is the king of landscaping?”


 


“Overseeing a shipment of rock salt and sand.  He’ll be a while yet.  What’s on your mind?”  Tom read the signs.  This was a Brian with something more on his mind than shriveled mums and ornamental cabbages.


 


Brian shrugged his shoulders.


 


“Shall I take a wild guess?”  Brian shrugged again with a heavy sigh.  “You’re still worried that Bree will love Celeste and want Celeste to be a big part of her life.  You’re worried that you’re going to lose your little girl.”


 


Brian stared down into his coffee mug, studying the dark liquid.  His hands clenched tightly around the mug.  Tom gently pried Brian’s hands away from the mug and held them in his own.


 


“You honestly have no idea how much that little girl loves and adores her Dada.  How much she loves both of you.  Nothing or no one will ever come between you.  Briana is your daughter.  That will never change,” Tom said with such conviction that Brian just about believed it.  Brian still had some lingering doubts but Tom’s words and support were breaking through his stubborn Irish hide.  “You know, it’s okay to share your feelings with Justin.  He’s probably feeling the same way,” Tom said logically.  Brian nodded as he took another sip of coffee.


 


“More coffee?” Tom asked.  He topped off Brian’s mug and then his own.  They sat in companionable silence drinking their coffee.


 


 


*****


 


 


A thin petite woman stepped wearily down the gangway toward the baggage area of the airport.  She was tired, grumpy and felt her ears ringing from sitting close to the wings for over seven hours of flight time and then circling the airport due to bad weather.  After retrieving her bags she hailed a cab then headed for The Plaza Hotel.  She said a silent prayer that she still had her reservation.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Where were you?” Justin asked as Brian walked through the side door and into the kitchen.


 


“The toll house,” Brian grumped as he hung up his gardening jacket on one of the hooks in the mud room.


 


“Take a shower and for fuck’s sake don’t let Bree see you with that face.  I don’t think I can handle the two of you in a foul mood,” Justin demanded.


 


“What’s up with her?” Brian asked trying to shake off his bad mood.


 


“Not sure, but I have the impression it has something to do with the school dance,” Justin replied as he basted the roast in the oven.


 


Brian was almost out of the kitchen when he turned around and stepped up behind Justin.  Justin shut the oven door then placed the large spoon on a dish on the counter.  He turned so that he could look up into Brian’s eyes.  Justin saw a pain and sadness there that he hadn’t seen in years.  It was almost the same look Brian had in his eyes when Justin had left him for the fiddler.  Justin never wanted to see that hurt ever again.  Justin drew the taller man into arms and hung on for life.


 


“Go ahead, take your shower.  You have time,” Justin said softly.  He felt Brian nod and then he released him.  Justin stood in the kitchen watching the slumped shoulders of a retreating Brian.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Fuck me,” she cursed to herself.


 


“Please accept our apologies.  Of course we’ll refund your deposit,” the Plaza manager assured the woman.


 


“That’s nice,” she said with a touch of sarcasm.  “But unless you can book me into another hotel my refund is not going to help me right now,” she growled.


 


“I can certainly try but between the football games and the holidays, most of the city is booked solid.”


 


“Are you telling me there are absolutely no vacant rooms in this entire hotel?”


 


“Well, there is the penthouse but...”


 


“I’ll take it!”


 


“I can’t...”


 


“What do you mean you can’t?  It’s a room and my money’s as good as the next person.”  Her voice was getting a little louder.


 


“It’s not that,” the manager tried to explain.


 


“Then what’s the problem?”


 


“That particular suite of rooms is on permanent retainer.”


 


“For who?  Maybe I know him.  I’ve lived and worked here most of my life.  Perhaps I can call and ask.  It’ll only be for a few nights until I can arrange an apartment.  I already have a realtor looking.”


 


“I’m not sure…”


 


“Please, I’ve been on a plane for over seven hours.  I’m so tired I can’t think straight,” she pleaded.  If she was thinking ‘straight’ she would’ve remembered to whom that particular suite of rooms belonged.


 


The manager took pity on the haggard woman; after all, it was the holidays.  He showed her to a waiting area where she could sit while he made a phone call.  A few minutes later the manager came back into the waiting room and beckoned her into his office.


 


“The gentleman wishes to speak with you,” the manager informed her as he handed over the phone then left the office to allow her some privacy.


 


“Hello?” she said into the phone trying to rein in her frustrations.


 


“Well hello, Mel, how’s tricks?” Brian snarked.


 


“Fuck me!”


 


 


*****


 


 


“Where’s Dada?” Bree asked her Daddy as they were setting the table.


 


“He had to take a phone call.  He’ll be out soon and then we’ll eat,” Justin said calmly.  The family of the conjoined cottages were eating at the Anderson-Morrison end.  Justin had supplied the roast and potatoes while John and Bobby had everything else.  Thanksgiving was less than a week away and the family was planning on discussing it at dinner.


 


“Don’t tell me that partner of yours is working right now,” Bobby said with some impatience.  He had rushed home for the family meeting.


 


“No, the manager of The Plaza called.  Brian should be off the phone soon,” Justin explained.


 


“I’m here,” Brian called out as he entered the kitchen waving a very expensive bottle of red wine in his hand.


 


“What’s the occasion?” John asked as he got a cork screw and passed it to his brother.  Bobby got the wine glasses.


 


“Monsoon Melanie just blew into town,” Brian announced with a pop of the cork.  Three glasses were immediately raised toward Brian.


 


“Was that the call from The Plaza?” Justin asked. 


 


Brian nodded.  “Apparently they overbooked and Mel’s reservation got lost.  The manager wanted to know if it was okay with me for Mel to use our executive suite,” Brian said with a smirk.  “It seems that my suite is the only vacancy in town.”


 


“Brian,” John growled.


 


“Brian?” Bobby questioned


 


“Brian!” Justin admonished.


 


Brian looked at each man and shook his head.  “I’m not sure if I should laugh or be disappointed at your lack of faith in me,” he said.  Each man looked appropriately contrite.


 


“What did you tell the manager?” Justin gently asked.


 


“I told him that Ms. Marcus was to have full access to the suite for as long as she required it and that all courtesies were to be afforded her.  Then I briefly spoke to Mel...”  The men groaned.  “And then I immediately called your mother.”  Brian shot a poignant look toward Justin.


 


“My mother,” Justin repeated as more wine was poured into the glasses.  “You don’t mean?”


 


“Yes, my dear Sunshine, she’s baaacck!” Brian said with a grin.


 


“Oh boy!” the other three men gasped. 


 


The subject was quickly changed when Patrick, sensing this was a good time to interject, asked a question, “What am I gonna wear to the school dance?”


 


Bree made a face.


 


 


***** 


 


 


“Daddy, can I call Ashley?”


 


“Please,” Justin said as he dried the roasting pan before shoving it back into the closet.


 


“PLEEEZZZZ!” Bree exaggerated.


 


“You’re going to see her tomorrow at school, why do you need to call her now?  And did you finish your homework?” Justin asked with a scowl on his face and hands on his hips.


 


“Because I hafta ask her something and yes I did.  So please, can I call her?” Bree asked again with her hands on her own hips. 


 


At that moment, Brian walked into the kitchen looking for more coffee.  Not that he needed any more caffeine.


 


“Oh great, dueling Sunshines,” he snarked as he proceeded to make a small pot of decaf.  Both blonds gave him similar glares.  Brian threw his hands up in surrender.


 


“So can I, Daddy?” Bree asked again, ignoring her older father.


 


“Go ahead,” Justin capitulated.  Bree snatched the portable phone off the wall then ran into her room.


 


“What’s that all about?” Brian asked as his magic elixir was brewing.


 


“Not sure but I think this school dance has got her knickers in a twist,” Justin conjectured.  “What’s with Melanie?  Is she visiting or back for good?”


 


“For good it seems.  I really didn’t go into it and Mel sounded very tired.  She said she’d only need the suite for a few days and that she had already called a few realtors before she left Portland.”


 


“It does seem like she’s moving back,” Justin commented as the coffeemaker spat out the last few drops of decaf coffee into the carafe.  He poured out two mugs then reset the maker for the morning.  “I wonder if Lindsay knows.”


 


“It’s none of our business.  And if Linds does know then I’m sure we’ll hear about it.  If not from her then Mikey.”


 


“I didn’t think about him.  I wonder if JR knows.”


 


“If she did I’m sure she would have told Gus,” Brian murmured as he poured a half a pound of sugar in his coffee before taking a sip.  “And I’ll kill him if he did know and didn’t tell us.”


 


“For a man that watches his weight and what he eats as closely as you do, I never understood why you use the amount of sugar that you do.”


 


“I don’t always stir, that way it doesn’t count.”


 


“Asshole,” Justin grumbled.  “I’m going to paint for a while,” Justin said as he walked out.


 


“You do that, Sunshine,” Brian said as he waved goodbye with his mug.  He put the mug down on the counter then pinched the bridge of his nose trying to ward off the headache that was brewing.  “Might as well do some work of my own,” he mumbled to himself then took his mug up to his attic office.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Ashley,” Bree said as soon as Susanna handed the phone to her daughter.


 


“Bree?  What’s wrong?” Ashley asked hearing the tears in Bree’s voice.


 


“I … It’s … Patrick,” Bree mumbled.  Now that she was talking to her best friend, she wasn’t sure she wanted to tell her what was really happening.


 


“What did he do?” Ashley asked in all innocence.  “Did he hurt you?”


 


“He’s … He’s taking Brittany Chadwick to the dance.”


 


“He’s not!”


 


“Yes he is.”


 


“How could he?  I thought he was going to ask you,” Ashley said repeating what Bree had told her.


 


“I thought he was too,” Bree agreed.  “And he told me about asking Brittany in front of everybody at dinner.”


 


“What did you do?”


 


“I wanted to scream and punch him in the nose, but I just walked away.”


 


“You showed great restraint,” Ashley responded in her most grown-up voice.  She thought that was how Bree would have responded if the same thing had happened to Ashley.


 


“I guess so,” Bree pouted.  “But I really wanted to tell him off.  Brittany is so lame.”


 


“Yeah, she thinks she’s hot stuff, but she can’t do anything except wear makeup and flashy clothes.”


 


“She’s so shallow.”


 


“Not like you,” Ashley said.  She still worshipped her best friend and thought Bree could do no wrong.  Bree was the smartest, kindest, most talented person that Ashley could think of.  Brittany was no competition for Ashley’s best friend


 


“What am I going to do?” Bree asked.  “I wanted Patrick to ask me to the dance.”


 


“Hm,” Ashley said, “I wish I had a good plan to get Patrick to take you, but … I don’t.”


 


“Maybe we could push Brittany down the stairs at school,” Bree suggested.  “Then if she broke her leg, she wouldn’t be able to go to the dance.”


 


“Bree!” Ashley responded in horror.  She couldn’t believe that her friend would suggest such a thing.


 


“I know, I know,” Bree sighed.  “I wouldn’t really do that, but I have been dreaming up all the evil things I’d like to do to Brittany.”


 


“So, you’re just thinking them, but you won’t really do them.”


 


“No, I won’t,” Bree conceded.  “If Brittany did break her leg, Patrick’s so nice he would probably skip the dance and go to Brittany’s house to keep her company.”


 


“Yeah, he is nice.”  Ashley had her own crush on Patrick.  She held him in almost as high esteem as she did Bree.


 


“It was fun thinking about all the bad things that might happen to Brittany,” Bree said with a little chuckle.  Ashley always made her feel better even when nothing was being resolved.


 


“What else were you planning to do to her?” Ashley asked with a little conspiratorial giggle.


 


“I thought about what my Dada might do for revenge,” Bree admitted.  “I’ve heard him and Daddy talking about what Dada did to someone called the Fiddler.”


 


“What did he do?”


 


“Nothing exactly,” Bree said with a frown.  “He planted some seeds is what Daddy said.”


 


“Seeds?  Like in gardening?”


 


“No, he planted some ideas that made the Fiddler think it was better to leave.”


 


“How do you do that?” Ashley asked.  She wasn’t at all sure what Bree was talking about.


 


“I’m not really sure,” Bree admitted.  “I wouldn’t push her down some stairs, but I thought maybe I could make her think she was getting fat or that she was getting pimples on her face.”


 


“That’s evil, Bree.”


 


“I know.”


 


“But I like it.”


 


“Me too,” Bree laughed.  She could always count on Ashley to be on her side.


 


“What are you going to do?” Ashley asked.


 


“I don’t know,” Bree replied, all the laughter gone from her voice.  “Patrick doesn’t care that he made me sad.”


 


“Does he even know that you’re sad?”


 


“What?”


“Boys can be awful dumb sometimes.”


 


Bree thought about that for a moment.  “Yeah,” she agreed.  “Why can’t Patrick just ask me to the dance?”


 


“You are younger than him.  Brittany’s in his class at school … and … she’s starting to get boobies.”


 


“What?”


 


“You heard me,” Ashley affirmed.  “I hear that boys like boobies.”


 


Bree looked down at her flat chest.  She wondered if she would ever get boobies.  There certainly was no sign of them yet.  “Is that why Patrick asked her … because she’s got boobies?”


 


“I bet that’s why.”


 


“What am I going to do, Ashley?  I don’t have boobies and I don’t think I’ll get them anytime soon.”  Bree felt like wailing in frustration.


 


“Maybe you should talk to your daddies,” Ashley suggested.


 


“I don’t think they know anything about boobies.”


 


“Then maybe one of your grandmothers.”


 


“They’re old.  They won’t understand.”


 


“What about JR?”


 


“Hm,” Bree said.  That was the first suggestion that might have some possibilities.  JR had a boyfriend.  Maybe she could explain how to get Patrick interested enough in her to ask her to the dance.  “You’re a genius, Ashley,” Bree declared.


 


“I am?”


 


“Yep.  See you soon.  I gotta go.”


 

 

“Bye,” Ashley said with a proud smile.  She was very pleased to have helped her friend with a difficult problem.  If only she could figure out what it was that she had done.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

A Woman Scorned


 


Chapter 2



 


Melanie woke up with a start, as exhausted as she was when she finally got to bed, she still felt jet-lagged and on Portland time.  When she glanced at the bedside clock it was well after one in the afternoon.


 


“Oh, hell, I missed my appointment,” Mel groaned as she fumbled for her cell phone to call the realtor.  “Hi, this is Melanie Marcus, I had a ten o’clock appointment with Mr. Stevenson to see the condo on...  Oh, yes, I understand.  Sure, I’ll call back to reschedule.  Are you sure there isn’t...  Right.  Goodbye.”


 


Mel had the urge the throw her phone against the nearest wall but she really liked her phone and couldn’t afford the expense of a new one.  She wasn’t destitute but she wasn’t stupid either.  At least when it came to her phone.  Mel sighed then flopped back against the pillow.


 


Oh well, she thought to herself, it was only her first day back in the Pitts.  She didn’t have to do everything in one day.  Mel closed her eyes to think then fell back to sleep.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Dad, we got a shipment,” came a shout that was loud enough to shake the walls.  The young lady smiled sweetly at the delivery man who had just propped open the door with a heavy brasslike Rage statue so he could cart in several boxes. “Dad!”


 


“No, need to shout, Honeybun, I’m right here,” Michael stated as he walked into the main store from the back.  “Do you have the shipping bill?”  JR rolled her eyes at the ‘Honeybun’ but handed over the invoice just as the phone rang.


 


“Red Cape, how can I help you?  Oh hey, Curtis, how are you?  Are you coming home for Thanksgiving?” JR asked with hope.  She and Curtis spent only a limited amount of time together over the summer and now Curtis was away at NYU.  “Wow, your dads are meeting you in New York City for the Thanksgiving weekend?  That’s great.  Sure, maybe during winter break.  Um, I gotta go, we just got a shipment.  Yeah, me too.  Bye.”  JR hung up the phone, scowling at it.


 


“JR, shake a leg.  These boxes aren’t going to unpack themselves,” Michael said breaking through JR’s fog.


 


“Sure, Dad, be right there,” she said.  Michael was too preoccupied to pick up on the disappointment in JR’s voice.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Hi, Melanie,” Jennifer greeted the lawyer as she walked through the door of Jennifer’s real estate office.


 


“Jennifer, thank you for seeing me on such short notice.  God, do you really have a son that’s in his thirties?  You look amazing!” Melanie gushed, wishing she’d look half as good at Jenn’s age.  Melanie was tired and worn out with stress.


 


“Thank you.  And the son is almost forty but we’re both in denial,” Jennifer said with a bright smile.  Melanie knew Jennifer was the source of Justin’s youthful appearance.


 


“Well whatever you’re doing, bottle it then sell me some.  I’m feeling very old at the moment.”


 


“Nonsense, fifty-ish is the new thirty.  Besides, you’re jet-lagged.  It will take you a while to get used to our time zone again.”


 


“I hope you’re right.  I also hope you have a listing for me.  I can’t stay at the Plaza forever even with the discount Brian got me.”


 


“He’s charging you for the room?”


 


“No, but I have to eat sometime and the thought of diner food makes me ill.  It’s much easier to eat at the hotel.”


 


“Does the family know you’re back?” Jennifer asked gently.


 


“No, and they wouldn’t have until the snafu at the hotel.  I’m sure the gossip’s whizzing around as we speak,” Mel said with a sigh.


 


“Don’t count on it.  Brian and Justin don’t gossip.  If Brian hadn’t called me last night, I wouldn’t have known.”


 


“Brian called you last night?”


 


“Didn’t you know?” Jennifer asked.


 


“Yes, I did.  I’m just a little mixed up right now,” Melanie said sounding very defeated.  She looked around the quaint office then focused on a chair.


 


“Go sit.  Let me make you a cup of tea then we’ll discuss your needs,” Jenn said softly.  Melanie nodded then allowed the older woman to fuss over her.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Patrick!”


 


“Hey, Chet,” Patrick replied as he swung his bat at an oncoming ball.  If he wasn’t in a batting cage the ball would have been found somewhere in the next county.  Chet stood on the other side of the cage watching his friend take some hard whacks at the oncoming balls.


 


“Jeez, I’m glad I’m not a baseball,” Chet murmured to himself.  Patrick was definitely not his peaceful friendly self at the moment. “Hey, Red, what’s up?  You look like you lost your best friend and that can’t be right since I’m standing right here,” Chet said with a big grin, trying to lighten the mood. 


 


Chet and Patrick had developed a strong but unlikely friendship.  Chet hadn’t lost any of his snobby arrogance but somehow Patrick made Chet a bit more human.  Patrick found Chet’s attitude amusing.  He almost equated their friendship to something like his Uncle Brian and Michael.  Opposites but finding a common ground.  Whatever it was, it worked for them.


 


“I don’t know,” Patrick muttered as he smacked another ball into the back net of the cage.


 


“Come on, Red, take a break, you’re making a me nervous,” Chet said to Patrick as he crossed his eyes, making faces at Patrick.  Patrick laughed in spite of himself, dropped the bat then flipped off the switch on the pitching machine.


 


“That’s better, now tell me what’s got your panties in a bunch.  It can’t be girl trouble cause I hear you’re taking the hottest girl to the dance.  Brittany’s still goin’ with you, right?”  Patrick shot Chet a look.  Chet put up his hands in defense. “I’m just checking.  You’re a good looking guy, not as good looking as me, but the ladies seem to like you,” Chet went on making Patrick roll his eyes. 


 


“You do remember that we’re only 13, right?” 


 


Chet ignored the remark and kept on talking.  “Your dads have plenty of money, not that you’d know it.  What’s up with that ancient Navigator your dad keeps driving?  Doesn’t he know it’s so last century?”


 


“He likes it,” Patrick tried to explain.  “He says there’s no reason to give it up if it runs well.”


 


“Yeah well,” Chet shrugged his shoulder.  His parents always seemed to have a car that was never older than three years.


 


“What about my Uncle?  His car is older,” Patrick pointed out.


 


“You mean the “Vette?” Chet asked, Patrick nodded.  “That’s not old, that’s a classic.  That Jeep of his is another story.”


 


“A classic,” Patrick repeated.  Patrick ruminated over the differences between his uncle’s classic Corvette and his beloved Jeep.


 


They sat on a bench near the batting cage.  It was getting cold, not really baseball weather but that didn’t matter to Patrick.  He stared out toward the new enclosed sports arena that his father and Anderson Construction just finished building.  Since the school complex housed grades pre-school through high school, his dads and his uncles decided it needed a real sports arena that could be used throughout the year.  The men of Edna’s Treasures got together and donated the funds to build it.  John personally supervised the construction.  He made sure it would serve the community for generations to come.


 


Chet knocked into Patrick’s shoulder with his own.


 


“Spill it.  Something’s on your mind.”


 


“It’s Bree,” Patrick mumbled.  Now it was Chet’s turn to roll his eyes.  Bree still wasn’t Chet’s favorite person but he had to admit she was a tough girl and nice.  Sort of.


 


“What about her?”


 


“She won’t talk to me,” Patrick said with a sigh. 


 


 


*****


 


 


“I’m sorry, Melanie, aside from buying a house, there aren’t that many apartments available right now,” Jennifer said.  They had spent two hours going over listings, all of which were either out of Mel’s price range or in areas that were too inconvenient.  “Of course, I’ll keep on looking.”  Jennifer promised.


 


“I know you will.  I guess it doesn’t help that I don’t have a job,” Melanie mumbled.


 


“But you came back?  I mean...”


 


“I know.  I had to leave Portland.  I made a big mistake cutting off all ties to Pittsburgh.  Even my relationship with JR, what little there was, suffered.”


 


“She loves you, you’re her mother,” Jennifer assured Mel as she offered her another cup of tea.


 


“I know she loves me but she just doesn’t like me.  I don’t think anyone likes me,” Melanie said sounding like a lost little girl.


 


“Oh, Melanie, that’s not true,” Jennifer said as she wrapped a motherly arm around the younger woman.  “We’ve all made mistakes.  I don’t think I’ll ever forgive myself for giving up on Justin when he needed me most, but that’s all in the past.  Once JR knows you’re back for good, you’ll see, she’ll be excited.  Just take it slow and don’t push it.  JR has become a very independent young woman.”


 


“I know,” Mel said with pride.  “Debbie’s been keeping me updated.  And Michael too.  I can’t believe JR actually runs the store practically all by herself.”


 


“According to Brian, she’s made a number of improvements.”


 


“Brian!” Mel grumbled.  “What does he have to do with it?”


 


 


*****


 


 


Bree and Ashley walked down the hall from the cafeteria toward the classrooms for the younger children in the school.  Lunch period was over and they were on their way to class.


 


Suddenly Ashley grabbed Bree's arm.


 


"Ow!" Bree responded.  "What was that for?" she asked her friend as she rubbed the spot on her arm that Ashley had squeezed.


 


"Look," Ashley whispered as she pointed across the hall, at the same time pulling Bree into the alcove that led to the restrooms.


 


Bree followed the direction that Ashley indicated.  She drew in a deep breath as she observed what Ashley had seen.  It was Patrick talking to Brittany beside her locker.  Bree watched in silence as Brittany blatantly flirted with her Patrick.  Brittany was batting her eyelashes at Patrick as she listened to whatever he was saying to her.  They were too far away for Bree to hear.  Then Brittany giggled, a soft trilling sound, that made Patrick grin.  Bree watched the girl bat her eyelashes some more.


 


"Brittany sure knows how to make the boys happy," Ashley whispered.


 


"She's a ...."


 


"What?" Ashley asked.


 


"I...I...I don't know what she is, but I hate her," Bree declared.


 


"Oh Bree!" Ashley exclaimed.  She rarely heard Bree be mean to anyone, and almost never heard her say she hated somebody.  "It's not really Brittany's fault."


 


"Yes, it is," Bree declared.  "Look at her.  She's flirting with Patrick.  She's ... sucking him in.  I hate her."


 


Ashley watched as Brittany touched Patrick's arm and batted her eyes at him once again.  "She is pretty," Ashley observed.


 


"If you like that kind of obvious ... thing," Bree stated trying to quote her older father who often said something like that.  She knew it meant being blatant about the way someone behaved.  "She's disgusting."


 


Ashley shook her head.  She didn't think Brittany was that bad, and she couldn't believe that Bree was so bitter.  She didn't know what to say so she simply pulled Bree into a hug.  She felt her friend take a shuddering breath before Bree's back turned to steel and she stood up straight, pushing away from Ashley.


 


"I have to go to class," Bree said brusquely.


 


"Okay," Ashley agreed.  "See you after school?"


 


"Maybe," Bree replied.  She looked down the hall seeing Patrick walk away from Brittany.  He must be going to class himself. 


 


"It'll be okay after ... awhile," Ashley said hopefully.  She felt really bad for her friend. 


 


Bree gave Ashley a quick hug, letting her know that she was sort of okay, even though she felt like crap.  Ashley turned and headed down the hall in the opposite direction that Patrick had gone.  That was where her class was.


 


Before Bree could step out from the alcove to the restrooms, she was confronted by Brittany who had snuck up on her while she hugged Ashley.


 


"Hi, Bree," Brittany said with an overly cheerful tone.


 


Bree bristled at the words.  "Hello," she replied sullenly.


 


"You look ... nice today," Brittany added.


 


Bree knew it was not meant as a compliment.  "You look ... like you always do," Bree said trying not to be too sarcastic.


 


"Thanks," Brittany said with a smile.  She obviously missed the sarcasm.  "Are you going to the school dance?" she asked.


 


Bree frowned.  "I don't know yet," she replied hoping to be non-committal about her intentions.


 


"Oh?  I guess you don't have someone to take you," Brittany said with a grin.  "I'm going with Patrick.  Did you know?"


 


"Yes, I know," Bree responded.  "Patrick tells me most things."


 


Brittany's face fell.  She had hoped to spring her news on Bree, but apparently Patrick had told the girl that they were going to the dance together.  She was sick of hearing about Bree and all of her accomplishments whenever she and Patrick were talking.


 


Bree enjoyed the look on Brittany's face when she said that Patrick had told her about asking Brittany to the dance.  It helped her feel a little better, but it still rubbed Bree the wrong way that Patrick hadn't asked her to the dance.


 


"I need to touch up my lipstick," Brittany said as she brushed past Bree and entered the restroom.


 


Bree stuck her tongue out at Brittany's back.  It just wasn't fair that Brittany got to wear makeup and had boobies.  One of these days Bree hoped she would be able to compete with Brittany on equal ground.  In the meantime there wasn't much she could do.


 


Dejectedly she headed to her classroom.


 


 


*****


 


 


When the bell finally rang signalling the end of the school day, Bree was glad to be going outside.  She gathered up her books and put them in her backpack.  She grabbed her coat and said goodbye to her teacher.  She knew it was one of the days she was supposed to take the bus home.  That meant that Patrick would be on the bus too, and she wasn't looking forward to seeing him.  At least Brittany didn't ride on their bus.  The thought of Patrick and Brittany making googly eyes at each other made her nauseous.  She decided she wouldn't speak to Patrick on the bus, no matter what.


 


Ashley ran up to her as soon as she came out of the building.  "Patrick was looking for you," she told Bree.  "His dad is picking him up and you're supposed to go home with them."


 


"No," Bree said.  "I'm not going with them."


 


"But Patrick already talked to the bus driver.  It's all arranged.  He told me."


 


"I don't care,  I'll walk home."


 


"Bree, you can't do that.  It's way too far to walk," Ashley protested.


 


"I don't care."  Bree started to walk towards the road.


 


"Bree!  Bree!" Patrick called as he ran up to his cousin.  "My dad's here.  You're supposed to come home with us."


 


Bree did not respond.  She just shook her head and kept on walking.


 


"Bree?"  Patrick didn't know what was going on.  He called after her, "Bree, come back.  My dad's waiting."


 


"She said she's going to walk home," Ashley said as she came over to Patrick.


 


"That's crazy."


 


"I know, but that's what she said."


 


"I better tell my dad."


 


"Yeah," Ashley agreed.  "I have to get on the bus, but don't let Bree go home by herself," she pleaded.


 


"I won't," Patrick declared as he ran back to his father's Navigator.


 


As soon as Patrick explained what Bree was doing, John told him to get into the car and he started after Bree.  She had only got a little way along the road before John caught up to her.  He pulled the Navigator to the shoulder in front of her and got out of the vehicle.


 


"Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor, what do you think you're doing?" he demanded.


 


Bree knew she was in trouble.  She didn't think she had ever heard her Uncle John use her full name before, certainly not with that tone of voice.  She drew in a breath and replied, "I'm walking home," she stated.


 


"Do you have any idea how far home is?"


 


"Over two miles, I think," Bree said.


 


"Two and three quarter miles to be exact," John informed her.


 


"I can do it," Bree said.


 


"I have no doubt that you can, but that's not the point.  It's not safe for you to walk on these roads.  There are no sidewalks and the cars whiz by.  The speed limit is fifty miles an hour."


 


Just then a car sped past reinforcing John's words.


 


"I'll stay on the shoulder," Bree said.


 


"Bree, this is nonsense.  Why do you want to walk home?"


 


"I ... I just ... want to be by myself," Bree muttered.


 


"Can you tell me what's wrong?" John asked squatting down in front of her so that they were on the same level.  Bree shook her head.  "I know something's wrong," John continued, "please tell me what I can do."


 


Bree thought about that for a moment.  "I'll come home with you, if you don't ask me any more questions," she told him.


 


"Deal," John said, deciding that this was the most feasible solution for the moment.  There was no way he was going to let Bree walk home, and he didn't think he should pick her up bodily and strap her into the car.


 


Bree heaved a sigh.  She had made the deal, so now she had to live by it.  She followed her uncle to the Navigator.  Patrick was sitting in the front passenger seat, so she climbed into the back thankful that Patrick wouldn't be sitting beside her.


 

 

They rode home in silence.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

A Woman Scorned



Chapter 3


 

John slowed the Navigator to park in front of the conjoined cottages.  He popped the door locks to allow Bree to get out.


 


“Sweetheart, your Daddy’s home, painting.  Please let him know that Patrick and I are going to the store to pick up a few things for dinner.  It’s our turn to cook,” John gently said, trying to smooth the still ruffled feathers.  Bree had calmed during the drive home from school but she still wasn’t up to talking.


 


Bree nodded, jumped out of the SUV with her things then walked to the front door of her home.  John waited until she was safely inside, half expecting Bree to slam the door shut.  Then he turned the big car around to drive back out of the lane.


 


“Daddy, I’m home!” Bree called out as she entered the cottage.  It was damp outside but cozy indoors.  Justin had a small fire going in the fireplace.  Bree walked over to stand next to it, trying to warm up her insides.


 


“Hey, Baby Girl,” Justin greeted her with a kiss to the top of her head.  “It’s getting cold,” he said stating the obvious.  Justin helped Bree with her coat, hat and scarf.  “Would you like some hot cocoa?  I made a pot of it for when I was painting.  I’m done for the day.”


 


“Yes, Daddy,” Bree said as she stared into the flames.  Justin knelt down then turned Bree to speak with her.


 


“Baby Girl, what’s wrong?  You haven’t been happy since your, um, since you met Celeste and Sam.”  Justin really hoped that Bree’s sadness wasn’t because she missed her birth mother.


 


“Nothing, Daddy,” Bree said in a small voice.  She really hoped that her Daddy wasn’t going to push for more of an answer.  Bree wasn’t sure how to describe what she was feeling.  So she changed the subject, manipulating the conversation like she had seen her Dada do when it suited him.  “Uncle John and Patrick went to the store.  He said he needed to get stuff for dinner tonight.”


 


“Oh yeah, it’s their turn to cook,” Justin said as he stood.  He was happy to let his brother-in-laws cook.  Justin was feeling tired.  He had spent the whole day painting, from early in the morning when inspiration took hold of him.  But the sun porch had gotten cold and damp and now he was feeling it.


 


“Let’s have that cocoa and sit by the fire for a while to warm up,” Justin suggested.


 


“I have homework to do,” Bree said.


 


“I know, Baby.  You’ll have plenty of time to work on it after our cocoa,” Justin said, feeling the need to have a quiet moment alone with his daughter.  He sat her in one of the overstuffed chairs they had situated just to the side of the fireplace then quickly went to prepare two mugs of cocoa.


 


“Be careful, it’s hot,” he warned as he handed Bree her favorite mug.  It was a thick mug, insulating her hands from the heat and it had a happy frog on it.  Bree loved the way her Dada purposely glared at the thing every time she used it in front of him.  It was an old joke that the family never tired of.


 




 


“Baby Girl,” you’d tell me if there was something really bothering you, wouldn’t you?” Justin asked as he hugged Bree close.


 


“Yes, Daddy, I promise,” Bree said.


 


‘And you don’t lie,’ Justin thought to himself as he carefully sipped from his own mug.


 


 


*****


 


 


Melanie sat in one of the stuffed chairs in the suite she was currently occupying, crossing another realtor off her rapidly shortening list.  She had been hiding in Brian’s suite for four days without even a nibble at an apartment that was suitable.  She also hadn’t call JR or any other family although Debbie knew Mel was in town.  Melanie wasn’t ready to face the family, yet.


 


“When did I turn into such a coward?” Mel asked herself as she crossed another name off her list.  “And if I don’t find a job soon, I’ll never get out of this hotel,” Mel sneered.  She hated being in debt to one Brian Kinney.    


 


Mel abruptly stood up then stalked to the bedroom.  She stopped as she passed a large mirror then gazed at her reflection noting the dark circles under her eyes and the lines in her forehead.


 


“When did I get so old?” she asked herself then poked at her once firm abdomen.  She was by no means overweight but she felt herself growing flabby from neglect.  She had no one to look good for and was angry at herself for even thinking that way.


 


“Fuck!” Mel cursed at herself.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Bree!  Phone!” 


 


Bree heard her father call out from the living room.  Bree was in her room sitting on her bed finishing her homework.  She was surrounded by a pile of books and papers. “Coming!” she shouted back as she pushed her books off her lap then flew out of her room, her bare feet slapping against the floor as she ran into the kitchen for the portable phone.


 


“Whoa!” Brian yipped as he jumped out of Bree’s way as she sprinted toward the phone.  Brian was on his way toward his brother’s side of the cottages and was nearly bowled over by his daughter.


 


“Hi, Ashley!” Brian heard as he managed to get out of the way just as Bree ran back to her room with the phone attached to her ear.


 


“Didn’t she just see Ashley four hours ago?” he mumbled to himself as he walked through the sun porch.  He stopped halfway to look around and then out the door into the bleak night.  The wind was blowing leaves through the garden and it was beginning to rain.


 


“Brian?” a voice from above him called out.  Brian walked up the spiral stairway and into John’s office.  “Didn’t I just see you a little while ago,” John teased.  Brian plopped down on the sofa across from John’s desk.  “What’s wrong?” John asked when Brian sighed loudly.  Brian shrugged.  “Now I know where Bree gets her stubbornness from.  And I don’t know who takes the award for the biggest drama queen around here?” 


 


Brian glared.


 


“Knock it off.  You don’t scare me, Brian Kinney.  Now what the fuck’s wrong with you and your daughter?  You’ve been walking around like you’ve lost your best friend and Bree’s been snapping at everyone.  Now spill,” John demanded.


 


Brian remained stoically silent.


 


“Okay.  Shall I guess?  You’re still worried about Bree and Celeste.  And you’re not going to stop worrying until you’re convinced otherwise or something drastic takes your mind away from these feelings you’re having.  Am I close?” John asked with an arch of that famous Kinney eyebrow.


 


Brian said nothing but gave a small nod.     


 


“Brian, let it go before it eats you up alive.  There are other things more important for you to be concerned about.  If Bree wants to pursue her relationship with Celeste, she’ll tell you about it.  Bree trusted you to support her that day and she’ll trust you again if she wants to contact Celeste.  Until then we have Thanksgiving to plan for and the dance.  The school is calling for as many parents as they can get for chaperones.  This dance is big and it’s growing bigger.”


 


“What do you mean?”  Brian finally spoke as he sat up straight to pay attention.


 


“The next district over caught wind of the school plans and thought it was a great idea.  But they don’t have a gym big enough,” John explained.  Brian quickly put two and two together.


 


“The new sports arena, they want to borrow it,” Brian surmised.  “That’ll be hundreds of kids.”


 


“Plus the parents,” John added.


 


“Is the arena big enough for that?”


 


“Yes, but we’ll have to create a floor to cover the turf.  If not it’ll be ruined.”


 


“That’s a little more than your company bargained for,” Brian stated.


 


“True but we have the time and my company is going into winter hiatus, so I have the man power.  Plus most of my men have children going to both schools.”


 


“Motivation,” Brian said.  John nodded.  “Let me check with Ted, I think Part Deux hasn't met their donation quota for the year yet.”


 


“Speaking about Ted,” John began.  Brian looked up.  “You keep running him ragged.  He’s going to want to take an early retirement.”


 


“He loves his job.”


 


“Yes he does, but he could do with some help.  And Bobby’s not the one to give it to him,” John said quickly before Brian could protest.  “Bobby is happy in Harrisburg.  You need someone who’s willing to travel and bone up on corporate law.”


 


“And how do you know all this?” Brian growled.


 


“Now don’t get your knickers all in a bunch, Ted doesn’t go around complaining.  He called me to check out the vacant apartment in your building and to go over the maintenance contract.  The Tremont building is getting old, and it may need work to keep it up to code.”


 


“Do whatever you have to to keep that building up to and beyond code.  I’d like the loft to go to Gus when he’s ready.  And who moved out?  Not Lacy and Katerina?”


 


“No not them.  It was the older gentleman in the small one bedroom on the second floor.”


 


“I didn’t know him that well.  He was one of the original tenants when they converted the warehouse into apartments.  He kept to himself,” Brian explained.  “He didn’t trash the apartment, did he?” Brian snarked. 


 


John saw a glimmer of the old Brian and smiled.  “No, he didn’t trash the apartment but it’s been a while since it had a good paint job.  I’m going to have Gordon use some of Hunter’s kids to do the work.  Gordon needs an excuse to stay out of Betsie’s way.  The flower shop is going into holiday overdrive and she’s drafting everyone and anyone.”  John and Brian laughed.  Betsie ruled with an iron fist and Gordon was totally in love with her.


 


“So I guess I’ll be needing a new tenant.”


 


“I’ll let you know when the apartment is ready.”  Brian got up to walk back downstairs.  “Brian, you came up here for a reason, what was it?”


 


“It’s getting cold, the sun porch feels a little damp.”


 


“I’ll check it out,” John assured Brian.


 


“Thanks.  And I’ll talk to Ted.  He’s too valuable a friend,” Brian said softly making John smile.  John stood to give his brother a hug which was returned and appreciated.  Brian descended the spiral staircase feeling a whole lot better than when he walked up.


 


John watched as Brian went back down the stairs then disappeared into his side of the cottage.  "Well that was easy enough," John murmured to himself.  "Now if only Bree was just as easy," John said with a shake of his head.


 


 


*****


 


 


"What's up, Ashley?" Bree asked as she shoved her homework to the end of the bed and settled back against the pillows with the portable phone.


 


"Are you okay?"


 


"I'm fine.  Why?"


 


"You were going to walk home, Bree.  That's just crazy.  I was worried."


 


"I could have walked that far," Bree declared.  "You know I could."


 


"I know you could, but that doesn't mean that you should.  It's dangerous along that road."


 


"Yeah, I know.  I was kind of glad that Uncle John stopped me."


 


"Why did you do it anyway?" Ashley asked still bewildered by Bree's behavior.


 


"I didn't want to talk to Patrick.  He can have that ... girl.  I don't care anymore."


 


"Yes you do.  I know you care, but you can't do anything about it."


 


Bree sighed.  "I know you're right.  Brittany thought she could make me jealous by telling me that Patrick was taking her to the dance," Bree told her friend.


 


"When did that happen?"


 


"After you left to go to class.  She came over and acted all sweet and friendly.  When I told her that I already knew that Patrick had asked her, you should have seen her face.  She couldn't get away fast enough."


 


Ashley chuckled.  "She is so phony."


 


"Yeah," Bree agreed.


 


"Bree, you're not going to do anything ... bad ... like taking off from school, are you?" Ashley asked uncertainly.  She wanted her friend around for many years to come.


 


Bree could hear the worry in her friend's voice.  "I don't know why I did that," Bree admitted.


 


"You were hurt and angry."


 


"I guess so," Bree agreed.  "I seem to be angry all the time, especially at Patrick."


 


"He hasn't really done anything wrong," Ashley said.


 


"You always think he's perfect," Bree said with a giggle.


 


"That's cause he is."


 


Bree laughed.  "I wish you were here so we could talk all night."


 


"Me too," Ashley said.  "My mom's giving me the evil eye.  I think I better go."


 


"Okay," Bree replied with another sigh.  She felt like sighing all the time.  "I'll see you at school tomorrow."


 


"Night, Bree."


 


"Night, Ashley."


 


Bree pushed the disconnect button and leaned back into her pillows.  She sighed again.  Why did life have to be so hard?  If only Patrick had asked her to the dance instead of that awful Brittany.  Sometimes life just wasn't fair.


 


"Squirt, are you still on the phone?" Brian asked from the other side of the door.


 


"No, Dada, we hung up."


 


"That's good.  Can I come in and get the phone?"


 


"Sure, Dada."


 


Brian pushed the door open and walked into Bree's bedroom.  He looked at his daughter nestled against the big pillows on her bed.  She looked small and vulnerable.  He never wanted her to grow up or have to face the problems of the world.  He would do his best to protect her from all that.


 


Brian extended his hand and Bree placed the phone in it.  He raised an eyebrow as his daughter said nothing.


 


"What's up, Squirt?" he asked.


 


"Nuffin'," Bree replied pulling grey bunny to her chest.


 


Brian sucked in his lips and sat down on the edge of Bree's bed.  "Uncle John told me what happened after school today." 


 


Bree stared into space refusing to look at her father.  Brian waited knowing he could outlast his daughter in the silent department.  He and Justin had decided to wait till after dinner before discussing Bree's behavior with her.  They had hoped time would have helped her calm down and be more reasonable.  Bree seemed calm now, but whatever had set Bree off obviously wasn't settled yet.


 


"I can wait longer than you can," Brian singsonged.


 


That elicited a giggle from Bree.  "You're silly, Dada."


 


"That's me, Mr. Silly," Brian quipped.  Bree giggled some more.  "So, Squirt, what happened this afternoon?"


 


Bree swallowed and looked up at her father.  "I was mad," she said slowly.


 


"Mad at who?"


 


Bree thought for a minute.  "At Brittany, at Patrick ... at everyone."


 


"What were you mad about?"


 


"I don't know, Dada, just mad," Bree said as tears started to well up in her eyes.  She sniffled and hugged grey bunny tighter.


 


"Bree, you've been very testy lately.  What's going on?"


 


"Testy?" Bree asked.  She didn't really want to answer her father's question, wasn't sure she knew how to answer it,  so she thought this might delay it a bit.


 


"I thought you had an above average vocabulary," Brian stated with a raised eyebrow.


 


"I do, Dada."


 


"Then what do you think testy might mean?"


 


"Um, testing people?"


 


"Kind of," Brian conceded.  "It means touchy, impatient with people, getting angry for no good reason."


 


"I had a good reason," Bree declared.


 


"I thought you said you didn't know why you were angry."


 


Bree frowned and made a face.  "Brittany is the reason."


 


"That's twice you've mentioned Brittany.  Do I know her?"


 


Bree shook her head.  "She's in Patrick's class."


 


"Is this the Brittany that Patrick is taking to the dance?"  Bree nodded.  "Why are you angry with Brittany?"  Brian had a good idea what the problem was - the old green eyed monster, but he wanted Bree to voice it.


 


"She's mean," Bree said.


 


"How is she mean?"


 


"She ... she ... she made fun of me that I didn't have someone to take me to the dance.  She's ... not nice."


 


"Hm," Brian responded.  "That wasn't very nice of her."


 


"No it wasn't, Dada.  She's mean."


 


"Do the girls in your class have boys who are taking them to the dance?" Brian asked out of the blue.


 


"Oh, um, I don't know," Bree stammered.


 


"Is some boy taking Ashley?"


 


"No."


 


"Do you know any girls in your grade who have been asked to the dance by boys?"


 


"No, Dada."


 


"Do you know any girls who have been asked by girls or boys asked by boys?" Brian threw in.


 


Bree smiled.  "I guess Ashley and me will be together," Bree said with a grin.


 


"Ashley and I."


 


"Are you taking Ashley to the dance?" Bree asked with a giggle.


 


"You know what I meant, Squirt."


 


"Yes, Dada."


 


"Is this enough for tonight?"


 


"Yes, Dada."


 


"And you'll try to not be so testy?"


 


"Yes, Dada, I'll try."


 


"Then give me a hug and get ready for bed."


 


"Yes, Dada," Bree agreed as she stood up on her bed.


 


Brian pulled her against his chest and squeezed a little harder than normal.  "I love you, Squirt," he whispered.


 


"Love you too, Dada."


 

 

Brian walked out of the bedroom feeling a little better than he had when he entered.  He wasn't sure if he had accomplished anything with Bree, but at least she had smiled a few times.  This must be the beginning of the terrible teens, and she wasn't even a teen yet.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

A Woman Scorned



Chapter 4




“Hey little sis, how’s it going?”


 


“I’m not that little,” JR groused into the phone.


 


“Whoa, don’t bite my head off.  You called me, remember?”


 


“Yeah, sorry.  I’m pissed off.”


 


“I can tell.  What’s got your knickers in a bunch?”


 


“You got time for this?  Don’t you have tests or something?”


 


“I’ve got a lot of somethings going on but I always have time for my sister.  So what’s up?”


 


“You mean besides you?”


 


“Boyfriend in another state; nothing’s up around here.”


 


“Same here.”


 


“TMI.”


 


“Oh, so it’s okay for you to talk about your dick but I can’t.”


 


“JR, you don’t have a dick to talk about.  Is this about Curtis?” Gus asked as the light dawned on him.


 


“Yeah, sort of.”


 


“So why don’t you sort of tell me about it.”


 


“He’s at NYU this semester.”


 


“I know; Ray and Jeffrey have been hanging with him on weekends when he’s not studying.  He’s also had dinner at their house a few times.”


 


“Wow, you know more about him than I do.”


 


“Is that a problem?”


 


“Not really.  I guess I was a little jealous.  He’s got this great life, you know?”


 


“JR, there was a time not that long ago that Curtis’ life wasn’t all that great.  He’s come a long way.”


 


“I know that and I thought I was a part of it, but now I’m not so sure.”


 


“Do you miss him?”


 


“I do but I thought I’d miss him more.”


 


“Maybe it’s time for you to date other guys.”


 


“That’s just it, I don’t think I want to date other guys.”


 


“You mean you want to wait until Curtis comes back to Pittsburgh?”


 


“Um, no.”


 


Just then a very pretty young woman wearing a micro mini skirt, black patterned tights, thigh high boots and a sherpa lined denim jacket came into the comic shop.  She smiled demurely at JR through her long thick purple mascaraed eyelashes that matched her purple spiked hair.


 


“Then what?” Gus asked.


 


“Hold on,” JR said then Gus heard JR put the phone on the counter.  “Can I help you?” JR asked the young woman.


 


“I don’t want to interrupt your call,” the girl replied sweetly.


 


“No interruption, it’s only my brother,” JR said.  Gus rolled his eyes as he heard what JR said.


 


“Well, if you're sure.  I want to buy a present for a friend, a cousin really, who’s into comics.  I could use some expert advice.”


 


“Of course.  I’d be very happy to help.  Just, ah, let me say goodbye.”  JR indicated the phone.


 


“Sure.  I’m in no rush,” the girl said.


 


JR hastily picked up the phone.  “Gus, I gotta go.  Thanks for the talk.  I’ll call you later.  Bye,” JR said quickly into the phone then hung up on her brother. 


 


Gus laughed as he barely got out a “later” before he heard the phone slam down.


 


“Now how can I help you?” JR said with a pretty smile as she came around the counter.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Schmidt, my office,” Brian called out as he saw Ted hunched over a computer terminal giving a new employee some assistance.   Brian strode through Kinnetik like he owned the place, leaving peons scattered in his wake.


 


“Right away, Boss,” Ted replied as he stood up.


 


“Are you in trouble?” the employee whispered.


 


“Nah.  That’s his ‘nice’ voice,” Ted assured the young man.


 


“While I’m young!” Brian bellowed. 


 


“That’s his ‘getting testy’ voice.  I better go,” Ted said as he patted the man on the shoulders then scurried into Brian’s office.


 


“You need me, Bri?” 


 


Brian pointed to the sofa in the middle of the office.  As Ted took a seat, Brian came around his desk to join him.  “Ted, how long have we worked together?” Brian asked as he tried to gather his thoughts.


 


“Oh My God!  Are you firing me?!” Teddy asked in a panic, misunderstanding Brian’s question.  Ted began to hyperventilate.


 


“Geez, Ted, take a pill or breathe into bag or something!”  Brian stood as he shouted.  “Why the fuck would I fire you?”


 


“I don’t know!”  Ted jumped up and shouted back. 


 


Cynthia burst into the room.  “What is going on in here?” Cynthia asked.


 


“I have no fucking clue,” Brian stated.  “I’m trying to have a friendly chat with Ted and he thinks I’m firing him.”


 


“And are you?” Cynthia asked with her hands on her hips.


 


“Fuck no,” Brian replied.  “I was going to ask him what kind of help we need.  We need to have more of a presence in England and at Perspectives.  Other than the computer conferences, none of us has visited them lately,” Brian explained.  And he was seriously thinking of expanding into Canada.  They had been very well received when they went up there.


 


“True,” Cynthia said as she took a seat on the sofa.  Ted sat next to her.


 


“I want someone who has business savvy, confident with a bit of arrogance but not someone who’s going to argue with me all the time.  I get enough of that shit from you two.  Someone who’s free to travel.  And I don’t want a kid.  When Gus takes over he can hire all the kids he wants,” Brian growled.  Cynthia smiled at the thought of Kinnetik going to the next generation of Kinney.


 


“I, I was thinking about that,” Ted stammered as he tried to get his breathing under control.  Brian sat across from them.


 


“So do we need someone in sales, another accountant, what?”


 


“Lawyer,” Ted and Cynthia said together.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Hello?”


 


“Sweetheart, it’s Mom!”


 


“Mommy!?  How are you?”


 


“I’m okay.  How are you?  I hear you’re running the store,” Mel said with genuine pride in her voice.


 


“I know you want me to go to...” JR was ready to defend her choices, again.


 


“Jenny Rebecca, I just want you to be happy,” Melanie said softly.  “You’re right, JR, I will always push for you to go to college but you should do it for the right reasons and when you’re ready,” Mel said reasonably.


 


“Wow, I, wow!” JR wasn’t sure if she heard right.  “Mommy, are you okay?”


 


“I’m fine, honey.  JR, I have to tell you something.” 


 


All of a sudden JR became worried and took a large intake of air.  “Mommy, you’re not sick or anything, are you?”


 


“No baby, I promise you I’m fine.  But Portland turned out to be...I should have never left or gone so far away.  I missed you and Gus.  Believe it or not I even missed Pittsburgh.”


 


“So come home.  I don’t want to leave Daddy, he kinda needs me, but I really miss you.  I can talk to Daddy and Ben about anything but they’re guys!” 


 


Melanie softly chuckled.  “Yes they are.  JR, what would you say if I told you that I moved back?”  JR let out a happy shriek.  It was so loud that Mel had to pull away from the phone.  “Does that mean you’re okay with it?” Melanie asked with a certain amount of nervousness in her voice.


 


“Where are you?  Can I see you now?  Can we go to dinner?  There’s so much I have to tell you!” 


 


Mel laughed, happy tears streaming down her face as JR babbled on.  They made a date to have dinner that night.


 


 


*****


 


 


"Daddy, which outfit should I wear?" JR asked as she came down the stairs of the house carrying three outfits.


 


Michael made a face.  He had not been at all happy to hear JR's news that her mother had returned to Pittsburgh and seemed ready to pick up with her daughter just like nothing had happened.  Like the fact that Mel had abandoned her daughter.  Like the fact that Mel had moved across the country without a single thought about family.  Like the fact that Mel had walked away from them all in hopes of some doomed relationship with a woman that JR didn't like.  None of that seemed to matter to the selfish woman who just happened to be the mother of Michael's daughter.


 


"I'm sure any of them will be fine," Michael said in a non-committal fashion.


 


"But, Daddy, I want to look nice for Mom.  Which one do you like best?"  She held each outfit up against her body waiting for Michael's decision.


 


"You do realize that your mother and I are very different, don't you?" Michael asked pointedly.  "What I like is not necessarily what your mother will like."


 


"I know that, Daddy, but I want your opinion."


 


"I guess I'm useful for something," Michael muttered.


 


"What?" JR asked.


 


"That one," Michael said pointing to one outfit.  It was not much different from the other choices, and he didn't really care what his daughter wore for this dinner.  He just hoped she would come home at the end of it.


 


"Hm," JR said holding the outfit Michael had indicated at arm's length.  "Are you sure?"


 


"If you didn't want my opinion, then why the fuck did you ask me for it?" Michael said crossing his arms over his chest.


 


"Daddy!"


 


"Okay, okay, I'm sorry.  I just wish your mother hadn't sprung this sudden return to Pittsburgh on all of us."


 


"I'm happy she's back," JR declared.  "Aren't you?"


 


"Well, I..."


 


Just then the front door opened and Ben arrived home.


 


"Hey all.  What's up?" Ben asked.


 


"Mommy's come home," JR blurted out happily, "and I'm having dinner with her tonight."


 


"Mommy?  You mean Mel?  Melanie's in Pittsburgh?"


 


"Yes, isn't that great!" JR enthused.


 


"Yeah, great," Michael muttered.


 


"Is this a visit or is she here to stay?" Ben asked. 


 


"She's staying," JR said with a grin on her face.


 


"When did all this happen?"


 


"She just showed up.  Called JR out of the blue," Michael griped.


 


"Today?" Ben asked trying to get his mind around this disturbing train of events.


 


"Daaad," JR said.  "I'm glad Mommy is back.  Please be happy about it too."


 


"If you're happy, sweetheart, I'm happy," Ben said giving JR a hug.


 


"Thanks, Dad.  I need to go get changed."  JR ran up the stairs carrying her outfits. 


 


She seemed so excited to be having dinner with her mother.  That really rubbed Michael the wrong way.


 


"Can you believe that?" Michael demanded.  "Mel calls up out of the blue, and it's like she never left.  She just turns up and says she's back for good.  I can't believe JR is so happy to see her.  She should be angry at that woman.  Look at everything she's done to her daughter."


 


"Mel is her mother," Ben reminded his husband.  "She's happy she's come back.  Let her enjoy this."


 


"What?  You want me to be happy about this?  What if JR decides she wants to go live with Mel?  What if she turns her back on us?"


 


"JR would never do that," Ben replied gently.


 


"You don't know that," Michael contradicted.


 


"I know JR is a good kid."


 


"She's not a kid anymore.  She can go wherever she wants."


 


"So, don't pressure her.  She will make the right decision."


 


"You don't know that either."


 


"Michael..."


 


"I have a really bad feeling about all this."


 


JR came down the stairs.  Both men stopped what they were saying and turned to look at her.  She looked so beautiful and so grown up.  Michael felt his heart clench in his chest.  He didn't want to lose her.


 


"How do I look?" JR asked.


 


"Like a gorgeous young lady," Ben said.  Michael merely nodded in agreement.  "Do you want us to drive you to your mother?" Ben offered.


 


"No, I'll grab a bus at the corner.  I don't have far to go.  See you later."


 


And just like that she was gone out the front door, maybe out of their lives if Michael's foreboding proved to be true.


 


"She didn't even wear the outfit I chose for her," Michael said sadly.


 


Ben pulled him into a warm hug.  He wished he could make things better for his husband, but JR would have to decide for herself where she wanted to live and who she wanted to spend her time with.  It was all out of their hands.  He wished Michael could see it that way.


 


 


*****


 


 


JR had jumped off the bus and was walking toward the restaurant where she would meet her mother.  She heard her cell phone ring in her purse.  She stopped and pulled it out.  She looked at who was calling and pressed connect.


 


"Hey, Bree, what's up?" JR asked.


 


"JR, I need to talk to you."


 


"You do?  What about?"


 


"Personal stuff."


 


"Personal stuff?  You mean boys."


 


"Yeah."  That was one of the things that Bree liked about her sister.  She was quick on the uptake.


 


"That sounds like a serious conversation.  Not one for the phone."


 


"I guess so," Bree agreed with a heavy sigh.


 


"Can you get your dads to bring you into Pittsburgh on the weekend.  We could spend some time together."


 


"Okay," Bree said.


 


"I have to go.  I'm meeting Mommy for dinner and I just got to the restaurant."


 


"Okay," Bree agreed.


 


"See you soon," JR said before she shut off her phone.  She pushed open the door of the restaurant and entered.  Her heart soared as she saw her mother sitting at a table and headed in that direction.  It felt so good to be wrapped in her mother's arms after all this time.


 


 


*****


 


 


"Hello," Brian said into his cell phone.


 


"Brian," Michael whined, "everything is such a mess."


 


"A mess?  Is something wrong with Ben?"  Ben's health was always an issue.


 


"No, Ben's fine.  It's JR."


 


"Is she sick?"


 


"No, Mel's back," Michael informed his friend.


 


"Yeah, so?"


 


"What?  You knew, didn't you?  You knew she was back and you didn't tell me," Michael said in horror.


 


"I figured Smelly Melly would tell you all about her return in her own sweet time," Brian said laconically.


 


"You let me be blindsided."


 


"Michael, it's not my place to interfere."


 


"Since when?" Michael accused.  "The least you could have done was to tell me.  And how did you know she was back anyway?"


 


"She's staying in the Kinnetik suite at the Plaza," Brian admitted in a soft voice.  He knew that would not go over well with his best friend.


 


"You're helping her?" Michael almost screamed.


 


"Calm down, Michael, or you'll blow a blood vessel."


 


"I will not calm down!  I can't believe you've done this.  It's...It's...unbelievable!"


 


"Yeah, I get it ... unbelievable."


 


"You are an asshole," Michael spit out before cutting the connection.


 

 

Brian pulled the phone away from his ear and looked at it.  He couldn't remember the last time Michael had hung up on him.  He hadn't realized how upset Michael would be about him allowing Mel to stay in his corporate suite.  With a heavy sigh he set down the phone.  He wondered if his friend would ever grow up.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

A Woman Scorned




Chapter 5


 


“Well this just shits,” Brian grumbled as he, Justin and Bree drove home from Pittsburgh.


 


What’s that expression, the best laid plans of mice and men?  Thanksgiving turned out to be not what they had all had in mind.  Instead of a nice quiet dinner with family and friends on the lane the residents of the conjoined cottages were split up and drawn toward different parts of the state.


 


Learning that Melanie was back, Liberty Avenue appeared to be divided.  Debbie insisted that she and Carl were going to host Thanksgiving.  However, since Brian and Michael were currently not on speaking terms, Debbie’s guests consisted of Michael, Ben, JR, Melanie, Hunter and his partner Dr. Nick.


 


Emmett got a bug up his nose and decided to do a Tremont Family dinner.  With Lacy’s help, he hosted a potluck dinner in their Tremont building which included all the building’s residents and Lindsay and Candy.  Since Brian’s loft had the largest open space to accommodate all of them, Emmett asked for permission from the man himself.  Brian graciously gave his consent, “Just one stain or anything broken and you’re dead, Honeycutt!”  Emmett called it a victory and happily cooked up a storm.


 


Claire and Steve thought a Thanksgiving dinner at the farm was long overdue, so John, Bobby and Patrick went there to spend the long weekend.


 


Jennifer put her foot down and demanded that Justin bring his family to her.  She and Seth hosted Thanksgiving for the Taylor grandchildren and their parents.


 


“Brian, keep your voice down, she’s asleep,” Justin pleaded.  Bree was fast asleep in the back of Justin’s Cherokee.


 


“Justin, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.  She’s out until the morning.  I have no idea why she’s so exhausted.  All she did all night long was gab to JR on the phone and give Taylor dirty looks,” Brian groused.


 


“Don’t exaggerate.”


 


“Tell me I’m wrong,” Brian dared.  Justin said nothing.  “Something’s up with Bree and if she doesn’t spill the beans soon I’m going to ship her off to her...”


 


“Don’t say it,” Justin growled.  Brian shut up and stared out the window as Justin continued to drive them back to the lane.


 


“Justin, how can we help her if we don’t know what’s wrong?” Brian softly asked as he reached over to place his hand on Justin’s thigh.


 


“I’m not sure but Mom and Molly are coming to the lane tomorrow.  They offered to spend the weekend with Bree.  Maybe they can figure it out.”


 


“I hope so,” Brian mumbled.  Bree was only ten.  Brian wasn’t sure if he was going to make it through her teen years without lots of booze and some serious drugs.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Good night, Daddy!  Good night, Dad!” JR gushed as she kissed her dads then bounced her way up the stairs to her room.  Oblivious to her father’s bad mood, JR was jubilant over having spent the whole evening with her mother. 


 


“Well at least someone had a good time tonight,” Michael griped as he hung their coats in the closet.


 


“Michael, JR’s happy.  What’s wrong with that?”


 


“Nothing!  Except...”


 


“Except you don’t want her to be happy.  Not with Melanie, anyway.”  Ben scowled at his husband.


 


“That’s not it,” Michael spat out practically stomping his foot.


 


“Then what?”


 


“She shouldn’t be happy.  Melanie left her without any consideration for anyone.  And now she’s back and she thinks she can just pick up where she left off.”


 


“You don’t really believe that, do you?”


 


“You don’t?”


 


“No, Babe, I don’t.  I think Mel’s changed.  She’s realized how important her family is.”  Michael made a noise and turned his back toward Ben.  Ben came up behind his spouse to give him a hug.  “Michael, give Mel a chance, she has no one except for us.  Her parents have never accepted her, Lindsay has moved on and Gus is more a Kinney than he ever was her son.  She only really has JR and us.”


 


Michael sighed.  He was tired and couldn’t keep arguing, he just didn’t have the energy.


 


“Come on, Babe, it’s bedtime,” Ben urged his mate up the stairs.  Michael went willingly.


 


 


***** 


 


 


“Patrick, will you help me with dessert,” Claire leaned out of the kitchen to call to her grandson.


 


“Be right there, Grandma!” Patrick replied as he began to bring in the last of the dinner dishes.


 


“Get the tray down for me?  You’re going to be as tall as your father soon,” Claire proudly pronounced.  Claire knew there was something wrong with her grandson and she was determined to get to the bottom of it.  “What’s wrong, Patrick?  You can discuss anything with me, you know that, right?”


 


Patrick nodded as he took down a big serving tray from a high shelf.  Claire gave him a damp cloth to wipe it down before piling the cups, saucers and dessert plates on it.


 


“Your father would get that look,” Claire smiled at Patrick.  “ All quiet and brooding, like he lost his best friend in the whole world.  I worried about him not growing up with a father but he had Steve and the ranch hands.  And he had his Grandpa Aidan for a while.  We were closer than most mothers and sons.  We had to be, living out here in the middle of nowhere.  He told me about his girlfriends and the boys he hung out with at school.  And he confessed a few things that most sons wouldn’t dare reveal to their mothers, but for most of our lives it was just him and me.  I’ve kept his confidences as he keeps mine.  We still do,” Claire said gently as she raised Patrick’s chin with her finger.


 


Patrick’s eyes grew sad.


 


“Sweetheart,” Claire whispered as she drew the young man in for a hug.  In between the quiet sobs, Claire understood what was hurting her grandson.


 


 


*****


 


 


"Ashley, Thanksgiving was so awful this year," Bree said forlornly into the phone.


 


"Why?" Ashley asked with concern in her voice.


 


"We didn't even spend Thanksgiving with Patrick," Bree practically moaned.  "I thought maybe I could talk him into dumping Brittany and taking me to the dance, but I didn't see him all day yesterday."


 


"How come?  You guys always have a big dinner together with tons of people."


 


"Not this year!  Patrick and his dads went to Grandma Claire's, and JR was with her dads and mom, and Auntie Emm had Thanksgiving in Pittsburgh and we went to Grandma Jenn's.  It was a mess, and Taylor kept bugging me the whole time."


 


"But you love Taylor."


 


"Sometimes," Bree admitted reluctantly.


 


"That must have been really hard for you with everybody all over the place."


 


"You're the only one who understands," Bree said with a tremor in her voice.  She could always count on Ashley knowing what she was going through.


 


"Don't cry, Bree.  You can still go to the dance without Patrick.  I'll dance with you, and I'm sure some of the boys will dance with you too."


 


"You don't know that!"


 


"I know I'll be there for you," Ashley said trying to find something to say that would make Bree feel better.


 


"Thanks," Bree whispered softly.


 


"So what are you going to wear for the dance?"


 


"I don't know.  I asked my dads for a new dress, but Dada went ballistic and told me that I had hundreds of dresses and this wasn't the prom and I should use what I had in my closet."


 


"Wow!  Your father doesn't usually react like that."


 


"He thinks I need to learn the value of what I have.  He threw that in as part of his tirade."


 


"Wow!  I'm so sorry, Bree."


 


"Thanks, but I still need something that will make me look as good as Brittany."


 


"You look better than Brittany all the time," Ashley told her friend in all sincerity.


 


"Thanks," Bree replied with a smile finally appearing on her face.  "You always make me feel better."


 


"Good."


 


"I better go.  Auntie Molly's coming over soon.  Maybe I'll get her to help me pick out what to wear."


 


"Good idea."


 


"See ya, Ashley," Bree said before hanging up.


 


 


*****


 


 


"Auntie Molly, Auntie Molly!" Bree shouted as she ran down the hall to the front door.  As soon as the front doorbell rang, she had raced out of her room.  She flung open the door and grabbed her aunt in a crushing hug.  "I'm so glad you're here," she said taking Molly's hand.  She started dragging her aunt down the hall.


 


"Hey, what about me?" Jennifer asked.  She had arrived with her daughter and grandson, but had been completely ignored by her granddaughter.


 


"Hi, Grandma Jenn," Bree shouted as she and Molly disappeared into Bree's bedroom.


 


"Well, Taylor, I guess you and I are chopped liver," she said to her grandson who was holding onto her hand.


 


"And very fine chopped liver you are," Brian said as he came up to Jennifer and her grandson.  He had just come down from his office in time to see Molly and Bree disappear into Bree's bedroom.  He gave Jennifer a peck on the cheek.


 


"What's with Bree these days?" Jenn asked.  "She was so grumpy and uncommunicative at Thanksgiving dinner yesterday."


 


"I know.  I'm hoping Molly can find out exactly what's up while they spend some time together."  Jennifer nodded in agreement.  "Let's get some coffee," he suggested.


 


"Juice," Taylor demanded.


 


"And juice for the little man," Brian added as they headed for the kitchen.


 


In the bedroom Bree was chattering away a mile a minute.  "Aunt Molly, I need your help.  I hafta find something to wear to the dance at school.  I need something really special and nothing in here looks any good."  She gestured towards her closet.  "I want to look perfect at the dance and ... older."


 


"Perfect and older, that's a tall order," Molly said.


 


"I looked in the closet and I don't like any of my clothes.  Can you find something, pleeease," Bree begged.


 


"Let me have a look," Molly said moving over to the closet.  She began looking through Bree's extensive wardrobe.  "Why do you want to be older?" she asked casually.


 


"Um, because ... everybody thinks I'm a baby because I'm short.  I want to look older and ... more grown up," Bree fibbed, although most of it was true.  It just wasn't the real reason she needed a special outfit.


 


"I see," Molly said as she continued to sift through Bree's clothes.  "Is there perhaps a boy involved in this need for the perfect outfit?"


 


Bree considered lying, and then thought better of it.  "Maybe," was all she said.


 


Molly smiled to herself before turning around and extending four dresses towards Bree.  "Let's try these."


 


Bree made a face.  She really wanted a new dress, but that idea had not been well received by either of her fathers when she had broached the subject.  "Okay," she agreed reluctantly.


 


"Try this one first," Molly suggested handing Bree a pink dress with a lace collar.


 


"This is so last century," Bree said sounding so much like her older father.


 


Molly laughed out loud.  "You are so right," she managed to say while she couldn't stop laughing.  "Try it on anyway."


 


Bree pulled the dress on and turned for Molly to zip her up.  "I look about three years old," Bree criticized as she studied her reflection in the full length mirror on the back of her door.


 


"It is kind of babyish," Molly agreed.  "But then I want you to stay three," she said using her best Brian Kinney voice and trying to arch her brow.


 


Bree giggled.  "That was so bad, Auntie Molly.  He'd say it like this."  She repeated what Molly had said using just the right inflection and arching her brow in a perfect Brian Kinney imitation.  They both giggled hysterically.


 


"What about this dress?" Molly asked holding up one of the other outfits after they had regained some self control.


 


Bree arched her eyebrow once again.  "I wouldn't wear that to a drag queen's wake," Bree said pretentiously.


 


Molly gasped to keep from bursting out laughing once again.  Bree certainly could channel Brian Kinney.  "Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor, where did you ever hear such a thing!"


 


"One guess," Bree giggled, happy that she had got such a reaction.


 


"Your dads should be more careful about what they say around you."


 


"Sometimes they forget that I'm here."


 


"They need to pay more attention," Molly observed.


 


"Yeah," Bree agreed.


 


Molly shook her head.  Her niece was one precocious little girl - not so little anymore, she corrected herself.  "I think this is the one," Molly advised as she held up the next outfit.


 


"It's okay," Bree sighed.  "I really want a new dress."


 


Molly pulled her niece into a hug.  Bree was entering that dissatisfied stage of her life - meaning she was dissatisfied with everyone and everything including herself.


 


 


*****


 


 


"What do you think they're doing in there?" Jennifer asked as she sipped her coffee at the kitchen table.


 


"Probably vilifying me for not buying Bree a new dress," Brian snarked.


 


"Why won't you buy her a new dress?  It's not like you can't afford it."


 


"Christ, not you too!  That child has more dresses than Apple has Ipads.  This is not a prom she's going to.  It's just a fu...just a school dance.  She has plenty of dresses she can wear," Brian said gritting his teeth.


 


"Okay, okay, I get the point," Jennifer said, gently touching Brian's arm.  She saw his hand clenched around his coffee mug and wanted him to calm down.  "It's just that you usually get her anything she wants."


 


"You may think I do that," Brian said not calming down at all.  "And I do indulge her.  But there is a limit to what I can be conned into doing.  She needs to learn limits, and the value of things.  Money doesn't grow on trees."


 


Jennifer chuckled and shook her head.


 


"What's so fuc...funny?" Brian demanded, not at all amused.


 


"That's what Craig used to tell Justin when he wanted new drawing pencils or clothes or ... almost anything."


 


"I hope the fuck you're not comparing me to that asshole!"


 


"Brian!"  Jennifer nodded toward Taylor who was scribbling on a piece of paper on the floor.


 


"Sorry."


 


"I wasn't comparing you to Craig.  You would never be so mean and uncaring."


 


"I would have in my previous life," Brian said hardly above a whisper. 


 


"You mean before you met my son."


 


"Yes."


 


"I think that meeting under the infamous streetlamp was the most fortuitous thing that could have ever happened ... for both of you," Jennifer said gently.


 


Brian smiled crookedly.  "There was a time that you didn't think that way."


 


"But we've both changed since that time.  For the better," she added.


 


"I hear Justin's car.  He must be back from the general store," Brian said abruptly.  Justin had gone to pick up a few things since they hadn't hosted Thanksgiving dinner and didn't have leftovers as a result.  Jennifer realized that their heart-to-heart was over.  "I better help him with the bags," Brian said getting up from the table.


 


 


*****


 


 


Debbie plopped her butt in the back booth at the diner.  She hauled all her bags in after her and shoved them along the seat.  JR and Mel added their bags to the pile.


 


"I am fucking bushed," Debbie said with a long sigh.  "Black Friday sucks, but we sure got some great bargains."


 


"Yeah, but paying for anything, waiting in those fucking lines was such a pain," Mel griped.  "My feet will never be the same.  I think we hit every shop on Liberty and several not on Liberty."


 


"I thought I was the old broad in this group but you two had trouble keeping up with me," Debbie laughed.


 


"I don't know how you do it, Deb."


 


"I don't fucking know either.  I'd give my left tit for a foot massage right now," Debbie said as she reached under the table and rubbed the top of her foot.  She wanted to kick off her shoes, but she was afraid she'd never get them back on if she did.


 


"I got a couple of nice outfits to wear to job interviews," Mel said.  "And they were dirt cheap," she added proudly.


 


"There's nothing like a good bargain.  Right, JR?" Debbie said finally noticing that her granddaughter was awfully quiet.


 


"Huh?" JR said.


 


"Earth to Jenny Rebecca," Debbie called.


 


"I'm here," JR replied.


 


"In body perhaps, but where is your mind?" Debbie asked.


 


JR made a face at her grandmother just as two women walked past their table heading for the restrooms in the back.  JR watched them as they disappeared through the door.


 


"You have been awfully quiet all day," Mel observed as JR was once more silent.


 


"I'm sorry, Mom, grandma.  I've been doing a lot of thinking lately."


 


"About what?" Mel asked.  "You're not planning to go back to school, are you?  Oh my God that would be so great!"


 


"No, Mom, I hate to disappoint you, but that isn't what I have been thinking about."


 


"I bet you're missing Curtis," Debbie threw out to the others.


 


JR snorted.  Little did they know.  She watched as the two women returned from the restrooms, their arms around each others' waist.


 


"What's the snort for, kiddo?" Debbie asked.


 


"Stop picking on the poor girl," Mel said giving her daughter a hug.  "She's missing her boyfriend."


 


"Mom!" JR protested.


 


"What?" Mel asked as she let go of JR.


 


"It's not Curtis," JR replied.  She took a deep breath.  "Well, in a way it is," she added.


 


"Get to the point before I starve to death," Debbie admonished.  "I want to order."


 


Just then Lacy rushed over.  "Sorry," she said, "one of our waiters didn't show up.  What would you like?"


 


"Coffee, cheeseburger and fries," Debbie said without hesitation.


 


"Make it two," Mel added.


 


"Three," JR piped up.


 


As Lacy hurried to put the order in, both women looked at JR.


 


JR sucked in another breath and decided it was time to tell them.  "Curtis didn't miss me too much.  He stayed in New York for Thanksgiving. And truthfully I was kind of glad he did."  Both Debbie and Mel stared at the girl waiting to hear the rest of what was coming.  "I think Curtis and I are over."


 


"Oh sweetheart," Mel commiserated and went to hug her daughter again.


 


JR pushed her gently away.  "There's more."  Mel and Debbie looked at each other and frowned.  "I think I like girls," JR blurted out.


 


There was a stunned silence at the table as Lacy brought their coffees.


 


Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

A Woman Scorned

 


Chapter 6


 

Melanie sat on the last stool at the counter of the Liberty Diner.  She was feeling depressed, frustrated, disappointed but most of all angry with herself.  Thanksgiving was over, the next set of holidays were looming and she had nothing to show for it.  No job and nowhere to live except for the Plaza, at the mercy and whim of one Brian fucking Kinney.  Mel growled into her coffee. 


 


The lunch rush was waning as she slowly sipped her coffee.  Mel looked around at the patrons, most of whom were men.  Nothing much had changed about the Liberty Diner.  Oh, Lacy had renovated the place so it no longer looked or smelled like a greasy dive.  She had also significantly improved the menu, adding many of Emmett’s treats to the dessert menu.  What hadn’t changed were the men that came in to eat, cruise, strut their stuff, hook up, and also drown their sorrows in Lacy’s excellent coffee.  One big difference, the men and women were all young and beautiful.  Something Melanie knew she no longer was.


 


The bell on the door jingled as someone came in.


 


“Hi, Ted!  Why don’t you take that booth over there,” Lacy called out to her friend and building mate.  Over the years the residents of the Tremont building had grown very close.  Their Thanksgiving potluck dinner went over very well.


 


“Hi, Lacy, thanks,” said the accountant as he unwrapped his thick scarf from around his neck.  As he was about to sit he noticed Mel at the counter.  “Melanie?  Is that you?  I heard you were in town,” Ted said trying for subtle.  Of course he knew, he was authorizing her bills at the Plaza.


 


“Hi, Teddy,” Mel greeted her old friend.


 


“Why don’t you join me.  I don’t like eating alone and those counter seats have become uncomfortable the older I get,” Ted confessed.


 


“Um, sure.  Thanks, Ted,” Mel said hesitantly.


 


“What’s good today, Lace?” Ted asked as Lacy came over to hand them menus.


 


“Everything,” she said confidently, “but I do recommend the turkey meatloaf made with real giblet gravy or if you’ve had enough of turkey for a while the tuna salad is the pink plate special today.”  Just then the cook banged hard on the bell several times.  “Keep your fucking shirt on,” Lacy shouted making Mel and Ted laugh out loud.


 


“You sound just like Debbie,” Ted commented.


 


“She did train me after all,” Lacy said with a big smile.  “And he was trained by the cook that used to work with Debbie.”  Lacy cocked her head toward the kitchen.  Both Ted and Mel looked up aghast.  “No worries, he’s actually a very well trained chef; he just pretends to be uncouth.”  Mel and Ted leaned over so they could take another look at the large man who was grinning evilly through the service window.


 


“Believe me, he’s harmless.  Now what can I get you?”  Lacy took the pencil from behind her ear then wrote down their orders.  “I’ll be back with your drinks,” she said with a smile as she went to put in their orders and pick up the plates the cook was ringing about.


 


“How long are you staying?” Ted ventured.  He had heard the rumors that Mel had come back for good but he had no intention of making any assumptions.


 


“I’m surprised the avenue isn’t buzzing about my return,” Mel said with a self-deprecating tone.


 


“No offense but we’re old news, Melanie.  No one cares about us anymore.”


 


“I’m sure some people are happy to see me back with my tail between my legs, so to speak.”  Melanie was sure Brian was doing a happy jig somewhere.


 


“Believe it or not, you have a great reputation.”  Mel raised her eyebrows.  “As a lawyer,” Ted assured her.  Mel snorted.


 


“Then why can’t I find a fucking job?” she muttered.


 


“What was that?”  Ted wasn’t sure he heard what he thought he heard.


 


“I said.  I.  Can’t.  Find.  A.  Fucking.  Job!” Mel slowly enunciated.  She wanted to shout but she was too embarrassed.  Ted looked gobsmacked as he sputtered into his soda.  “And to top it all off, I’m still homeless.  I hate that I’m living off Brian.  I keep thinking that any minute now he’ll show up at my hotel door gloating and ready to throw me out.”


 


“He wouldn’t do that, I swear,” Ted said gently as he reached over the table to pat Mel’s hand.  She looked so defeated.  “I can also promise you that no one is scheduled for that suite and even if they were, no one ever needs the whole thing.  You’re fine as long as you need it.”


 


“I bet Brian’s laughing his ass off.”


 


“No he isn’t.  I mean it Mel, he doesn’t hate you.  He never did.  I know you two never got along but that’s because...”


 


“You can say it.  I was jealous of him and Lindsay.  Of what they shared, of what they still share.”


 


“That was a very long time ago and so much has changed.”  Mel snorted.  “Melanie, I don’t understand, what do you mean that you can’t find a job?  You’re a highly qualified professional.  What about your old firm?  I thought they’d be jumping through hoops to have you back.”


 


Melanie shook her head as tears welled up in her eyes.


 


“Mel, I don’t mean to pry.”


 


“No, it’s not that.  I guess I burned too many bridges when I left to expect open arms when I got back.”


 


“They don’t want you?”


 


“Oh they’ll take me back all right, but not as a partner and at an entry level salary.”  Ted look shocked.


 


“But your experience, your...”


 


“Means nothing.  If I took their offer I wouldn’t be able to afford anywhere decent to live.  I don’t want much but I also don’t want to fear for my life when I come home late at night.  I also don’t want a house.  A house is for a family.  I wouldn’t mind a small one bedroom apartment in a stable secure building with quiet neighbors.”


 


Ted got a weird look on his face.


 


“What?” Mel asked, more than a little scared at the look on Ted’s face.  “Are you okay?  Please don’t tell me you’re having a heart attack, I don’t think I can take another disappointment.” 


 


Ted rolled his eyes.  “How quiet is quiet?”


 


“What?”


 


“How quiet is quiet?  The neighbors I mean?”


 


“What the hell kind of question is that?”


 


“Answer it, please.”


 


“I guess no rowdy teenagers or drunken rampages in the middle of the night.  You know, quiet and not nosy.  I hate it when everyone is meddling in my business.”  Mel made a disgusted face.


 


“So an occasional kettle drum would be okay?”


 


“Schmidt, what the fuck are you talking about?” Melanie asked sounding so much like Brian that Ted burst out into nervous giggles.


 


“Eat up, I think I can solve your problem and you can solve mine,” Ted said as he indicated the salad that Lacy placed in front of Mel.  Ted took out his phone.  “Do you have time to discuss that open position this afternoon?” Ted cryptically asked when his call was answered.  “Yes, I do.  Highly qualified and not unfamiliar with the business.  See you later.”


 


Ted snapped his phone shut then dove into his salad, wearing an ear to ear grin, looking like of all things a Cheshire cat.  Mel was more than a little worried.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Ted, what are we doing here?” Melanie asked as they pulled up to the Tremont building.


 


“I want to show you an apartment,” Ted replied as he parked his car and began to get out.


 


“Oh no, I refuse to live in HIS loft.  Just staying there that one time gave me the creeps.”  Mel shivered at the memory.  She had stayed there for a short time when she was helping Bobby with Richie’s adoption.  Just the thought of all the men that had stepped foot in the loft over the years was enough to turn her stomach.


 


“Melanie, I wouldn’t do that to you.  Besides, the loft belongs to Gus.”


 


“What?  But he’s just a boy.”  Melanie appeared shocked.


 


“Mel, he’s twenty-two and about to finish up his MBA.  He’s worked his ass off getting that degree and his art degree from PIFA.  Gus wants Kinnetik and he’s being groomed to take over.  And when he’s ready, the loft will be his too.”


 


“But...  You must think me an awful mother,” Melanie said sadly.  She turned away so that Ted wouldn’t see the tears in her eyes.  “I didn’t know.  I just didn’t know.”


 


Ted felt helpless as he handed her a hanky then gently turned Mel around.


 


“Things happen,” he said to her with all knowing eyes.  “All we can do is learn from the experience and try not to make the same mistakes twice.  Come with me, I have something to show you,” Ted said gently as he guided Melanie into the building.


 


“This is new,” Mel commented as they passed through the doors and into the small lobby.


 


“Brian had John update the alarm system and modernize the doors.  All state of the art.”


 


“I’m sure it is, knowing Brian,” Mel mumbled.


 


“Stairs?  It’s only one flight,” Ted asked as he opened the door to the stairs.


 


“Sure,” Mel replied as she followed.  They went up the short hike to the second floor.  “Is Emmett still on the first floor?”


 


“Yes.  He likes it because he doesn’t have far to go when he’s hauling groceries or his new creations.


 


“I bet.  And the girls are on three?”


 


“Nick and Hunter are on three.  Lacy and Katerina are there,” Ted replied as he pointed down the hall.  Mel nodded, the girls had been living together for at least three years.  “Here we are,” Ted pronounced.


 


“And where is here?” Mel asked as Ted took out a set of keys then opened the door.


 


“It doesn’t look like much.  John’s men are still working on it.  The former tenant had been here many years and made little improvements.  John’s decided to gut the walls, redo the wiring, put in ceiling fans and then refinish the hardwood floors,” Ted explained as they entered the one bedroom apartment.  “He’s also making a small alcove space that can be used as an office or guest room.”


 


“It’s lovely,” Mel exclaimed.  Ted gave her an incredulous look.  There were dangling wires everywhere, dust, pieces of sheet rock and various tools all over the place.  “I mean I can see the potential.”


 


“John was hoping to have it ready by now but he wants the job done right so he thinks by the first of the year.”


 


“That’s only a few weeks away,” Mel said as she slowly looked around.  She really could see a lot of potential.


 


“Melanie, it’s yours if you want it.  You’d be welcome here.”


 


“But Brian...”


 


“Brian leaves the management of this building up to me.  You’re family, Melanie.  You belong here,” Ted said calmly.


 


“I, I don’t know what to say.”


 


“Don’t say anything yet.  We have another appointment.”  Ted gently guided the slightly shell-shocked Melanie out of the apartment and then back out to his car.


 


 


*****


 


 


"Hi, Bree," Ashley said cheerfully as she sat down beside Bree in the lunchroom at school.


 


"Hi," Bree responded.  She was opening and closing her sandwich like she couldn't be sure what it was.


 


"Is something wrong with your lunch?" Ashley asked.


 


"I ... It's ... I don't feel much like eating," Bree said with a sigh.


 


"But ... you always feel like eating," Ashley said with a frown.


 


"Not today," Bree half groaned.


 


"Are you sick?"


 


"I don't know."  Bree pushed her sandwich away and laid her head down on the table.  The cool surface felt good against her face.


 


"Bree?" Ashley said, worry evident in her voice.  "Maybe you should go home."


 


"No."


 


"Why not ... if you're sick?"


 


"I don't want to go home."


 


"What do you want to do?"


 


"I ... don't know."


 


"Is this about Patrick and Brittany?" Ashley asked before taking a bite of her sandwich.


 


"I hate Brittany ... and I hate Patrick," Bree stated, but the second part lacked conviction.


 


"You know that's not true, Bree."


 


"I just hate everything ... including myself," Bree moaned.


 


"I'm going to the office to call your dads.  You need help," Ashley said pushing back her chair.


 


"No!" Bree cried grabbing Ashley's arm to prevent her from going anywhere.


 


"Bree, something's wrong.  You need to tell somebody."


 


"Nothing's really wrong," Bree stated trying to sound convincing.  "I just feel funny."


 


"But your dads could help."


 


"They'll just ask questions that I can't answer.  I don't want to talk to them."


 


"I really think you should," Ashley said as she sat back down and studied her friend's face.  "Bree, I'm just trying to help.  I think you should talk to someone."


 


"I'm talking to you," Bree said hopefully.


 


"But you're not telling me much," Ashley said forlornly.  She felt like she should do something to help her friend, but she had no idea what that might be.


 


Bree laid her head back on the table.  It did feel so nice and cool.  Ashley stared at her not knowing what to do.


 


"Hey, Bree, are you all right?" Patrick asked as he came into the cafeteria.  He had seen Bree with her head on the table as he passed in front of the cafeteria.


 


"I'm fine," Bree said standing up abruptly.  She grabbed the remnants of her lunch and dumped them in the garbage as she made a hasty retreat, getting out of there before anybody could ask her more questions.


 


"Is she okay ... really?" Patrick asked Ashley.


 


"I don't know," Ashley admitted.  "I think something's wrong."


 


"She's been acting so weird lately."


 


"Yeah," Ashley agreed not wanting to say too much. 


 


"Well, at least she talked to me ... a little bit," Patrick said with a wry look on his face.  He stared at the doorway through which Bree had just disappeared.


 


"I better get to class," Ashley said before she hurried away, leaving Patrick wondering why nobody seemed to want to talk to him anymore.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Hi, Patrick!” Brittany cooed as she saw the young man walking across the school cafeteria.  Patrick smiled but then quickly looked around just in case Hurricane Bree was storming.  He relaxed when he remembered that the younger kids already had their lunch and Bree had literally walked out on him.  He had gone back to his locker to get a book before returning to the lunchroom.  He also felt a little sad about how things were between him and Bree.  Patrick missed the closeness he and Bree shared.  He still wasn’t sure what he did to make Bree so angry but he suspected it had something to do with the pretty blond girl that was making a beeline toward him. 


 


Someone clapped him on the back, murmuring sounds of approval.  Patrick turned to see some of his teammates heading for a table.  The guys he hung out with all seemed to think Patrick had scored the winning goal or in his case, pitched a no hitter.


 


“So are you going to pick me up on the night of the dance?” Brittany purred in his ear as she slipped her arm around his, leading him away from his friends’ table to an empty table.  He could hear the high pitched giggle of her girlfriends in the background.  They were sitting at their own table at the other end of the lunchroom.


 


“My dads are going to be chaperones so I’m going to have to meet you here,” Patrick stated logically.  What he was going to say was, “Really?”  Apparently it slipped Brittany’s mind that they were only thirteen and he didn’t drive.  Patrick rolled his eyes at the absurdity of it all and was beginning to wish he had never asked the ditsy girl in the first place.


 


“Oh,” Brittany said with disappointment.  “So does that mean you’ll be here early?”


 


“I guess so.  I think they want all the chaperones here early for a meeting or something,” Patrick replied.  He had heard his dads talking about it.  They planned on an early family dinner, getting dressed then taking two cars just in case one of them had to stay late, someone else could take the kids home.  Patrick smirked.  His Uncle Justin had teased his Uncle Bri about needing the extra time to primp.  Brian had glared as the guys laughed.


 


“What’s so funny?” Brittany asked with narrowed eyes.


 


“Nothing,” Patrick said quickly, not willing to explain.


 


“Hmm,” Brittany snorted in a very unlady-like way.  “So all my girlfriends want to know what you’re wearing.  I told them that you have to wear a blue tuxedo," she said with a smug smile.


 


“A blue tuxedo?!” Patrick gasped.  “Why?”


 


“Because, silly, I’m wearing a navy blue dress with these beauuutiful crystals all sewn in,” she gushed as she described her dress to Patrick who really couldn’t have cared less but was too polite, so he plastered a look of interest on his face.  “We have to match!”


 


“We have to match,” he repeated.  “Um, I’ll let my dads know.  I think we already got my suit,” he carefully added.  He and his Dad already went shopping to one of the places that Brian recommended.  Patrick had been outfitted in a sleek rich black suit with navy shirt and black and navy striped tie.  The salesman at the store assured father and son that it was very appropriate for a holiday dance.  He modeled the ensemble for his uncle and received the Brian Kinney stamp of approval.  That’s all that mattered to Patrick!


 


Just then Chet entered the cafeteria, spotted Patrick and waved him over.  “Uh, I have to talk to Chet, we’re working on a project for lab,” Patrick explained hoping for a clean getaway.


 


“Oh, I understand,” Brittany said with some disappointment but she swore she wasn’t going to be clingy as she saw some of her girlfriends were with their boyfriends.  She knew that guys hated that.


 


“I’ll see you after school.  I’m taking the bus home today,” Patrick said hoping that would be good enough for her.


 


“Sure!” Brittany said all smiles.  She took a quick look around then planted a fast kiss to Patrick’s cheek.  She then quickly flounced away back to her friends.  A stunned Patrick then heard more loud giggles as he went to sit with Chet.


 

 

This wasn't going to end well, Patrick thought.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

A Woman Scorned


Chapter 7



Mel looked around the small conference room which appeared to double as a lunch room for Kinnetik’s employees.  The room was neat, minimalist yet warm and functional.  Along one wall was a coffee and tea ‘bar’ complete with a mini-refrigerator for milk and cream.  It appeared no expense was spared.  Mel had been given a tour of the building so she knew that there was also a pantry with a full sized refrigerator so that the staff could stow their lunches as necessary too.  She snorted, typical Brian Kinney, throwing his money around.  But Melanie had to admit, the employees all appeared happy and content.  It certainly showed in their revenue.


 


Mel was asked to wait there and to help herself to coffee which she did.  There was a vast choice of blends a la the Kinney obsession with coffee.  She chose a mid-range blend then looked around the room as she sipped from her cup.  The opposite wall of the room was adorned with framed photos of building fronts.  At first Melanie was unsure what she was looking at.  The pictures were not the usual stock wall art that some firms chose for their decor.  She moved closer to the first one.  A small brass tag was attached to the bottom of the frame.  “Kinnetik Part Deux” it read.  The building reminded Mel of an old hotel or worse a bordello.  Then she realized that’s exactly what it was.  Brian had turned an old bath house into Kinnetik, so Mel wasn’t surprised that he had the balls to turn an old whorehouse into another Kinnetik branch.


 


The next three pictures surprised her.  “Kinnetik Perspectives” was housed in a sleek LA office building.  While “Kinnetik N’rgy” was in a lovely New York City brownstone.  The last picture almost took Mel’s breath away.  “Kinnetik Isles” was housed in a beautiful London Victorian building.  Melanie almost expected to see Sherlock Holmes entering the door.


 


Mel stood gazing at the pictures, sipping her coffee and pondering what life had yet in store for her.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Are you out of your mind?” Cynthia half shouted and half whispered at Ted.


 


“She’s a lawyer.  She’s a very good lawyer.  She’s smart and has the freedom to fly out to places we can’t.”


 


“But does she know the advertising business?”


 


“She knows enough, and what she doesn’t know we can teach her,” Ted insisted.  “Besides, she did help Brian with that little trouble he had years ago.”  Ted was referring to the Kip Thomas debacle.


 


“Using a ‘Brian doesn’t have to pay for it’ defence has nothing to do with advertising!” Cynthia hissed.  “Well maybe it does,” she said after a while when she thought about it.  “What am I saying?!  Brian will kill you and then me when he finds out that I went along with this.”


 


“He won’t be killing anyone, we just have to come up with an airtight, no loophole...”


 


“Excuse for our temporary insanity?” Cynthia interjected.


 


“No, reasons.  Valid reasons and justifications.  Look he agreed to having a lawyer in the position.  She’ll be able to negotiate contracts on the spot.  He also stipulated he wanted a mature person.  Uh uh uh,” Ted held up his hand forestalling Cynthia’s protests.  “I know that goes against all HR practices but we haven’t advertised the position.  And no one has applied via the feelers we leaked out.”


 


“Yeah, well no one in his right mind wants to deal with His Majesty on a regular basis,” Cynthia muttered.


 


“Be that as it may, Kinnetik has a reputation for hiring...”


 


“Crazy people like you and me.  Ted I get it and I get Melanie would be the perfect choice except for one minor detail.”


 


“What’s that?”


 


“She is Melanie Marcus!  His arch enemy.  His nemesis going back what...?  For twenty years they’ve been at each other’s throats.”


 


“And yet he did everything he could to keep Mel and Lindsay together when he thought that’s what they wanted.  Please, Cyn, let’s give this a chance.  I’ll even drive to the lane this weekend and personally break it to him.”


 


“And I’ll call Justin to warn him,” Cynthia snarked.


 


“So, can I show her into your office?” Ted asked using the most sincere voice and best puppy dog eyes he could muster.


 


“Yeah, sure.  Give me a minute to compose myself then show her in.  I don’t know how I let you talk me into these things,” Cynthia shook her head as she mumbled.  Ted scurried out to show in their guest.


 


 


*****


 


 


“JR.  JR?  Jenny Rebecca!” Michael practically shouted at his daughter to get her attention.  She was standing behind the counter of the shop staring off into space.


 


“Huh?  Did you want me, Daddy?” she asked, totally oblivious.


 


“Are you okay, Honey Bun?” Michael asked as he patted her hand.  “You seem distracted,” was all Michael could think of saying.  He still wasn’t sure what to think about JR’s revelation at Thanksgiving.  His mother seemed to take it all in stride.  Melanie was ecstatic.  The rest of the family that were present weren’t all that surprised.  After all JR did get a double dose of the ‘gay gene.’  Michael wasn’t sure of his own feelings about it.  Several times he found himself reaching for the phone to call Brian but he was still pissed that Brian knew Mel had moved back to Pittsburgh and failed to notify Michael first.


 


“I’m fine, Daddy,” JR said as she removed the money from the till.  They were going to the bank to make a deposit before they went home for the night.


 


“Are you sure?  You don’t look fine,” Michael gently said.


 


“I am, I promise,” she said as she went to get her coat and scarf. 


 


The bank wasn’t far so they were going to walk.  It was cold so they both bundled up.  While Michael had completely recovered from his Chronic Fatigue Syndrome he found that the cold affected him more than before.  He took his time to dress in several layers for protection.


 


“I have an idea.  I really don’t feel like cooking tonight.  Why don’t I call Ben to see if he can meet us at the diner.  We’ll eat there tonight.  What do you think?” he asked while he took out his phone.


 


“Sure, Daddy,” JR replied as she locked up the store.  Michael sighed, he could tell that JR’s head was still in the clouds.  He wondered if his daughter would ever be grounded again.


 


 


*****


 


 


"So what do you think of our offer?” Cynthia asked Melanie.  She and Ted had discussed their proposal to Melanie.  Mel sat back in her chair stunned that they were actually considering her for the position when they knew her history with Brian.


 


“Does HE know about this?” Melanie asked before she answered Cynthia’s question.  She could tell that neither Ted nor Cynthia had discussed the matter with Brian.


 


“Honestly, no,” Cynthia replied before Ted could speak.  “Quite frankly I have my doubts that you and Brian can get past your history to ever work effectively together, but Ted thinks otherwise.  And if Brian says no, I won’t fight him on it.  Bottom line, this is his company and I have too much respect for him to argue this particular case.”


 


Melanie nodded.  She found the position intriguing but very different from the law she was used to practising.  She’d have to hit the books regarding business law not to mention really learning the advertising business.  And the mere thought of working for Brian was giving her hives.  Plus, she wasn’t sure what she’d do if her path crossed with Lindsay’s.  They had parted on such stressful and difficult terms.  Justin still played an active role in the gallery and the gallery was now run by Lindsay.  Mel’s head was spinning.


 


“Why don’t you take the weekend to think about it.  While we really want to move forward with this we don’t have any other candidate in mind at this time.  We hadn’t planned on formally advertising the position until after the first of the year,” Cynthia assured Melanie.  “You have time to think about it.”


 


“I have to admit, I’m intrigued.  But this is so far from left field that there are many variables to consider, including reporting to Brian.”  Mel did her best not to sneer. 


 


Cynthia chuckled.  “Actually we’re more of a collective.  We do have department heads but everyone has input.   If it helps, you’d be reporting directly to me.  Brian rarely interferes with the daily running of the business.  He’s taken a more global approach, nurturing each branch so that they reach their full potential,” Cynthia explained. 


 


Mel couldn’t help but snort at the thought of Brian nurturing anything except for his own ego and sexual appetites.  “Pardon me,” Mel covered with a cough.


 


“Don’t worry about it, he’s still not completely human and that’s probably what makes him so good at his job,” Cynthia said with an amused smirk.  “Ted, do you have anything to add?”


 


“I, uh, no, except that I’ll go to the lane this weekend and talk to Brian about it.  I have all the figures with me,” Ted said as he waved an elegant portfolio in the air.  “I’ll make our proposal to him myself.”


 


“You’re a better man than I am, Schmidt,” Melanie paraphrased.  "You may want to take a first aid kit with you or anti-venom," she mumbled.  Ted gave her a thin lipped smile as Mel stood to shake Cynthia’s hand.


 


“We’ll talk again on Monday,” Cynthia suggested.  Ted showed Melanie out of Kinnetik.


 


 


*****


 


 


Michael and JR slid into a booth at the back of the diner.


 


"What can I get you?" Lacy asked as she hurried over. 


 


"We're waiting for Ben," Michael said.


 


"I'll have a Diet Coke," JR stated.


 


"Me too," Michael added.


 


"Daddy!" JR intervened.  "You know soda isn't the best thing for you," she reminded her father.  They were all happy that Michael's health was as good as it was, but he still needed to be careful, and some foods could prove to be triggers.


 


"Okay, okay," Michael relented.  "I'll have a milkshake - chocolate."


 


"That's not the best thing either," JR couldn't help but say.  "But it's better than soda."


 


Michael made a face at her.  He didn't like being reminded of his long and difficult illness.  He knew his daughter was right.  He felt better when he watched what he ate and drank, but that didn't mean he had to like it.  It was okay to splurge every once in a while.  "That will tide us over until Ben gets here."


 


"Coming right up," Lacy said before heading to the counter to fill their drink orders.


 


"Daddy, you know you're supposed to be careful with what you eat and drink," JR chastised her father.


 


"Sometimes I get tired of doing what I'm supposed to do."


 


"Me too," JR giggled.  "Who's that?" JR asked as a blonde young woman walked by the table and gave JR the once over.  JR couldn't take her eyes off the girl as she slid suggestively onto a stool at the counter.


 


"How should I know?" Michael asked not at all pleased by his daughter's question.


 


"She's gorgeous," JR whispered unable to take her eyes off the girl.


 


"And she's trouble," Lacy said as she set down their drinks and followed JR's line of vision.


 


"Why?" JR wanted to know.


 


"Well, how can I put this?  Ask your father what your Uncle Brian was like back in the day.  She'd run him a close second."  Lacy walked away shaking her head.


 


"Uncle Brian?" JR asked her father.


 


"You've heard the stories about the Stud of Liberty Avenue," Michael said making a face.


 


"You mean ... they're true?"  Michael nodded.  "But I thought people just liked to razz him.  I didn't believe..."


 


"Believe it!" Michael stated emphatically.


 


"Wow!"


 


"Lacy was trying to warn you, Honey Bun," Michael said trying to advise his daughter.  "Sometimes a pretty face hides an evil heart."


 


"Are you calling Uncle Brian evil?"


 


"If the Prada fits..."


"Hey guys, what's up?" Ben asked as he sat down beside Michael and gave his husband a kiss on the cheek.


 


"Daddy just called Uncle Brian evil," JR said with a snicker.


 


"Michael!"


 


"I didn't exactly say that," Michael backtracked.


 


"Uh uh, I bet you didn't," Ben said.  "I thought you were going to stop fixating on the fact that Brian didn't tell you that Mel was back."


 


"That isn't what this is about."


 


"Then what is it about?" Ben asked.


 


Michael nodded toward JR who had stopped talking and was making eye contact with the blonde beauty drinking coffee at the counter.  "Lacy says that girl is trouble, just like Brian used to be."


 


"Oh?  Oh!"  Ben stared at his daughter.  "Are they...?"


 


"I don't know what's going on, but they seem interested in each other and that's not a good thing."


 


"JR!" Ben said firmly bringing his daughter back into the conversation.  "Have you guys ordered yet?"


 


"Just drinks," JR replied not looking at Ben and batting her eyelashes at the girl at the counter.


 


"JR, JR!" Ben said.  When JR finally turned her attention to her father, he asked, "What do you want to eat?"


 


"Um, I think I'll have a salad.  I should watch my figure."


 


"So other people will watch it too?" Ben asked.


 


"Precisely," JR responded with a smile more directed at the girl at the counter than at her father.


 


Said girl stood up and dropped some money on the counter.  As she passed JR's booth, she said, "I'm Jacqueline.  Here's my number."  She slipped JR a piece of paper.  "Call me when you're ready."


 


And then she disappeared out the door of the diner.


 


"Wow!" JR exclaimed.  "She's smooth."


 


"Young lady, you are not to have anything more to do with that ... that woman!" Michael commanded.


 


"Daddy, I'm an adult," JR informed him.  "I can do whatever I want."


 


"But..."


 


"She's right, Michael," Ben said gently.  "She is an adult.  But she's also a smart young lady.  I'm sure you'll make good decisions.  Just be careful, JR," he said gently placing his hand over hers.


 


"I'm not going to do anything foolish," JR stated.  "I probably won't even call her ... but she was cute."


 


"She's too old for you," Michael said.


 


"Let it go, Michael.  JR will have to decide on her own."


 


"But..."


 


"What'll you have?" Lacy asked as she came to their table. 


 


They placed their orders, both men noting that JR did indeed order a salad.


 


Lacy had just brought their meals, all of them having sat in awkward silence while they waited for their food, when the door of the diner opened.  JR turned to see who it was, hoping just a little bit that it might be Jacqueline returning.  To her surprise it was someone else she knew.


 


"Mommy!" she called before she could stop herself.  She heard some of the people in the diner chuckle at her use of the babyish term.  Her face blossomed red in embarrassment.


 


"Hi, Honey," Mel said in a tired voice.  "Ben, Michael."


 


"You sound exhausted," Ben observed.


 


"It's been quite the day," Mel admitted.


 


"Care to join us?  Ow!" Ben reacted as Michael kicked him under the table.


 


Melanie  quickly figured out what had happened.  "I, um, I don't want to interfere with your dinners," Mel said hesitantly.


 


"You came in here to eat, didn't you?" Ben insisted giving Michael a glare that said he should be quiet and let Mel join them.


 


"Well, yeah..."


 


"Come sit with me, Mom," JR said to her mother.


 


"If you're sure..."


 


Ben nodded and when Michael didn't protest further, she slid into the booth next to her daughter.


 


Lacy appeared immediately and asked Melanie what she would like.  Mel ordered a salad like her daughter, and a cup of coffee. 


 


"So, what made this 'quite the day'?" Ben asked.


 


"I may have a job ... and an apartment," Mel said with a big release of a breath.  She took a sip of the coffee Lacy set down in front of her.  "I looked at that apartment on the same floor as you and Katerina," Mel said softly.  She waited for Lacy's reaction.


 


"The one that John is redoing?"  Mel nodded.  "It's a great building," Lacy said.  "Brian makes sure everything is in working order, and the spaces are so open and full of light."


 


"I know," Melanie replied.  "I liked the apartment very much, even though it's mostly just walls and construction at the moment."


 


"It'll be beautiful when it's finished.  It'll be great knowing our neighbor.  The old guy who lived there never spoke to us.  We barely ever saw him."


 


"I'll try to be just as innocuous as the old man," Melanie said with a wry smile.


 


"That isn't what I meant," Lacy said quickly.  "Oh, there's your salad.  I asked cook to speed it up so you could eat with the others."  Lacy quickly grabbed the salad from the pass through and placed it in front of Melanie with a little flourish.  "For our new neighbor," she said with a big smile.


 


"Possible new neighbor," Mel amended before Lacy headed over to take an order from another customer.


 


"Why did you say possible?" JR asked.  "If you like the apartment, why don't you just get it?"


 


"Ah, to be young and see things in such a simple fashion," Melanie said with a sigh.


 


"Can't you afford it?" Michael asked bluntly.  He had been picking at his food, not enjoying it at all since Melanie arrived.


 


Melanie bristled.  "I can manage once I have a job," she replied in a tart manner.


 


"So what's the job?" Ben asked.


 


"I probably shouldn't say anything.  It's not final and I don't want to jinx it."


 


"You're going to get it, I know you will, Mom," JR said enthusiastically.


 


"I'm glad someone believes in me," Melanie replied as she gave her daughter a hug.


 


It was Michael's turn to be upset.  "So, I guess you're really staying ... this time."


 


"I said I was."


 


"Things haven't been written in stone in the past," Michael reminded her.


 


"I admit I've made some mistakes, but hopefully I'm ... older and wiser."


 


"That remains to be seen," Michael added ungraciously.


 


"What can you tell us about this possible job?" Ben asked trying to ease into a more neutral subject.


 


"Oh, I might as well tell you.  What will be will be, as far as the job goes," Melanie said with a shrug.  She really did like the idea of this job.  She really wanted it if the truth be told.  But it all depended on Brian Kinney, and nothing she could say or do at this point was going to change that.  "Ted asked me to come to Kinnetik today.  They're looking for a lawyer for some contract work and to help with negotiations.  I think I could really enjoy working there."


 


"Working for Brian!?" Michael asked his voice rising an octave.


 


"Well, yeah, that's kind of the rub in this whole thing.  Ted has to clear it through Brian, and I don't know what his reaction might be."


 


"I'm sure Brian will consider all your fine points.  You're well qualified for the job," Ben said.  "Brian will make his decision based on business."


 


"Let me out," Michael said in a nasty voice as he gave Ben a push.


 


"Hey, where are you going?"


 


"Let me out ... now!" Michael demanded.


 


Ben stood up and Michael headed for the door of the diner, pulling his phone from his pocket.


 


"Michael?" Ben called.


 


"Dad, what's wrong?" JR wanted to know.


 


Michael did not respond as he opened the door of the diner and stomped outside.  He pushed the speed dial number on his phone and waited as it rang.


 


"Hello."


 


"Brian Kinney, how could you?!  We need to have a serious talk ... immediately!"


Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

A Woman Scorned



Chapter 8


  


“Who is this?”


“What the fuck do you mean, who is this?  You’ve forgotten all about me already?” Michael screeched into his phone.  He raised a lot of eyebrows on Liberty Avenue.


“Michael?  Is that you?”


“Of course it’s me, you asshole.  Who the fuck do you think it is?”


“A crazy person,” came a muffled response.


“What?!”


“Michael, this is John,” John said calmly.  He waited until that little factoid sunk into Michael’s brain. 


“John?  John?  Why the fuck are you answering Brian’s cell?”


“I’m not.  I’m answering his house phone.”  Michael stared at his phone for a second then shifted the screen around.  In his anger he had indeed hit the wrong button.


“Where is Brian and why are you answering his house phone?”


“Brian is in the kitchen.  And not that it’s any business of yours, we both have the same model house phone and it was ringing.  Now why are you screaming at me?”


“I’m not screaming at you,” Michael replied a little calmer.  “I was screaming at Brian.”


“Well that explains it,” John snarked.  “Michael, I’d love to continue this scintillating conversation but Brian and I are doing some maintenance repairs in the sun porch.  We’re knee deep in heating coils.  Goodbye, Michael.”


“Wait! I…”  When Michael realized he was speaking to dead air he snapped his phone shut and shoved it back into his pocket.  A chill ran up his spine and his hands were cold.  He had run out of the diner without his coat and gloves.  Michael, looking slightly defeated went back inside.


 


*****


 


“Who was on the phone?” Brian asked when he returned to the sun porch with two large mugs of steaming hot coffee.


“Telemarketer,” John replied as he turned the ringer off then tossed the phone onto the brass bed which they had pushed out of the way so that they could access the baseboard.


“I hate those,” Brian grumbled as he handed a mug to his brother then took a nice long sip out of his own mug.  The brothers savored their coffee for a quiet moment then got back to work.  Soon the brothers were cleaning up and returning the porch back to its usual pristine condition.


 


*****


 


“Michael, what did you do?” Ben hissed at his spouse.  Michael pushed Ben’s hips over so he could sit.


“Nothing,” Michael huffed.


“You told him, didn’t you,” Ben accused.


“No, he wasn’t home,” Michael lied then dug into his dinner before anyone else could question him.  Melanie glared at him but said nothing as she finished her salad.


 


*****


 


“Hey,” Justin greeted the guys as he walked into the porch.  “Dinner’s almost ready and mmm, it’s warmer in here already.”  Justin smiled proudly at the brothers Kinney.  He beamed a special smile towards Brian.  Not only did Brian look extremely sexy from his labors but Justin loved how the very alpha male in Brian took direction from John without question.  Brian had learned so much from John over the years that he now would chance ruining his manicure by breaking out his own tools to make simple repairs around their home.


“Oh Bri, Ted couldn’t get through to your phone so he called my cell.  He’s driving up tonight and would like an audience with you sometime tomorrow to talk over Kinnetik stuff,” Justin said with a smirk.  Brian made a royal gesture with the middle finger of his right hand just before he picked up his toolbox.  John and Justin laughed as they followed Brian into the kitchen where the rest of the family was waiting.


“Did Ted happen to mention which cottage he was going to stay in?” John asked as he washed his hands.  “The heating is at the minimum setting in each cottage; warm enough to prevent the pipes from freezing but a bit too cold to be comfortable.”


“Emmett’s,” Justin answered.  They got dinner on the table and were preparing to enjoy their meal.


“Brian, after dinner why don’t we walk over to turn up the heat and lay a fire?” John asked.  Brian nodded.


 


*****


 


“Patrick?”  There came a knock and a small plea at Patrick’s bedroom door.  Patrick felt his heart race as he pushed back from his computer desk to get the door.


“Hey,” he said with a gentle smile, pleased to see Bree not frowning at him for a change.


“Hey,” she replied in a tiny voice.  Her bottomless violet blue eyes were brimming with unshed tears.


“You wanna come in?” Patrick asked.  Bree nodded.  He stepped back to let the petite girl inside. 


“I’m sorry,” they both said at the same time.  Bree looked up into Patrick’s eyes then threw herself into his arms.


“I don’t know what I did to make you so angry at me,” he whispered as he caught her.  They landed in the middle of his bed with a bounce.  Bree said nothing but hugged her Patrick harder. 


“Are you still mad at me?” he asked.  Bree shook her head no.  Patrick let out a long sigh.  “I’m glad because I don’t like it when you’re mad at me.  I missed you.”


“I missed you too,” Bree whispered.


“So are you still my bestest friend?” 


“Yup!”


“Good.”  Patrick really wanted to ask Bree why she was so mad but at that moment it didn’t matter.  He had his best friend back and he was very grateful.  “Wanna play a video game with me?”


“Yay!” Bree said sounding almost normal.


“Come on,” he said as he tugged her up and off the bed.  He pulled another chair over to his desk for her then slipped one of Bree’s favorite games into his computer.  The competition was on and all seemed right in their world once more, for now.


 


***** 


 


Brian and John donned their warm coats and gloves to take the short walk down the lane toward Emmett’s dream cottage.  Out of nowhere Beau, Lady Lucie and Little Beau came running from the direction of the Wendy house.


“Isn’t it too cold out here for you guys?” Brian asked the canines in general.


“They are wearing fur,” John casually stated.


“It’s still too damn cold to be sleeping out here.”


“The Wendy house is well insulated but they’ve been sleeping in my side of the cottage,” John informed Brian.  “The pup’s been keeping Patrick company most nights.”


“As long as they both don’t get fleas, it’s fine by me,” Brian said.


“No one will be getting fleas.  Besides, M’ Lady over there has been spending her nights in Bree’s room.”


“I know.  I hear Bree pouring her little heart out to Lucie.  Apparently Lucie’s a good listener.”


“Brian, has Bree said anything to you or Justin about how she’s been feeling lately?”


“No.  I’ve been tempted to call the pediatrician and make an appointment,” Brian confessed.


“That’s not a bad idea.  But wait until after the dance.  Maybe she’s just nervous about it and once it’s over she’ll be back to her normal princess self,” John advised.


“Maybe,” Brian agreed.  At least he hoped so.  The men in the cottage had been walking on eggshells for so long now that they’d forgotten what normal was.


The guys let themselves into Emmett’s cottage and turned on a few lights.


“I’ll get the thermostat if you start a small fire,” John said and they each went their separate ways.  “It’ll warm up quick,” John said as he met Brian by the fireplace after he reset the thermostat and waited as the furnace engaged.


They stood side by side watching the fire catch.  John made sure everything was secure and the fire screen in place before they left to walk back up the lane.


“Brian, I didn’t want to say anything in front of the family but that call earlier was from Michael,” John said.


“Why was he calling you?”


“He wasn’t.  Apparently he was so angry that he hit the wrong button.  You know our house phones look the same.  I just automatically picked it up when it rang.  He was cursing up a storm.”


“I wonder what I did this time.”  Brian sighed.


“I know he’s your oldest friend but sometimes…”


“You can say it.  He’s an ass.  But I love him.”


“I know you do.  But the next time I hear him speak like that I’m going to rip him a new asshole,” John declared.


“Be my guest.  I just wonder what set him off.”


“Well, whatever it was.  I’m sure you’ll be hearing about it soon,” John commented.


“I’m sure I will,” Brian agreed.


They stood by Brian’s door looking up at the clear sky.  It was cold, cold enough for snow but none was predicted.


“I never tire of living here, Brian.  I love the home that we’ve created.  This lane is our community.”


“Even when Michael is here?” Brian asked with an arched brow. 


John chuckled.  “Even then,” he confirmed.  “This is a very special place, Brian.  And it would have never existed without you.”


“You did all the hard work.  You and your men.”


“But you had the vision,” John said as he clapped his brother on the back.


“And the money,” Brian snarked.


“That too,” John laughed.  “Let’s get inside before they send out a search party,” John wisely said.


“Good idea,” Brian agreed as he opened the door to let John in first.  “Come on, dogs!” Brian called out to Beau and his family.  Brian shook his head as all three beasts trotted happily into the cottage.


 


*****


 


Ted knocked on the front door then waited for a response.  It wasn’t a special occasion where guests were expected to walk right in so he felt a little funny entering the cottage unannounced.  He was about to knock again when the door opened to reveal Bree in her warm hoodie robe and fuzzy slippers holding grey bunny.


“Hi, Uncle Teddy!” she greeted the man with a big smile then gave Ted a hug.


“Good morning, Miss Briana,” Ted said formally as he returned the hug.  “May I come in?”


“Of course you may,” Bree replied just as formally then giggled.  Ted smiled lovingly at the child.  He had gotten to know Bree quite well when she ‘worked’ at Kinnetik, and he looked forward to a long Kinnetik association as well as their personal one.


“Am I interrupting breakfast?” he asked as Bree took Ted’s hand to tug him into the kitchen.  The family was straggling in towards the table.  Brian was at the stove flipping pancakes, frying eggs and bacon.


“Schmidt!” Brian barked.


“Yes, Boss,” Ted automatically responded.


“Take your coat off and stay a while.  Help yourself to some coffee!”  Brian gestured to the pot.  “You know where everything is.”


“Thank you, Bri,” Ted said gratefully.  “It’s cold and windy out there.  And thank you for the fire last night.  Something must be wrong with the heater in my car.  I was frozen by the time I got here.”


“Maybe it’s time for you to invest in a newer model,” Bobby commented as he shuffled in and made a beeline for the coffeepot.


“Hmm, this is the right time of the year for car shopping,” Ted murmured.  “I can get a good deal on this year’s leftover models,” he stated happily.


“Always the accountant,” John commented with a smile.  He saluted Ted with his coffee mug.


“Always the cheapskate,” Brian mumbled.


“Be nice,” Justin admonished as he too shuffled into the kitchen just as the kettle was boiling. 


He was wearing his thickest ‘house’ socks.  Brian was the only one with bare feet, still rarely feeling the cold unless outside.  The family was very grateful that Brian was actually wearing clothing; they could overlook the bare feet.  The guys had seen enough of Brian’s assets over the years to last a lifetime; albeit still very fit and attractive assets.


“What do you have for me?” Brian said with an arched brow as he spied the folder that was used for very formal proposals.


“After breakfast?” Ted begged.  “And in private.” 


Brian sighed.  “I take it I’m not going to like this,” he said as he placed the last pancake on a large platter then walked it over to the table.


“Dada, whatever Uncle Teddy proposes deserves to be heard,” Bree said using her businesslike voice.


“Yes, dear,” Brian snarked making Justin smirk.


“She’s right, you know,” Bobby agreed.  Over the years Bobby had worked with Ted on several ventures.  He knew firsthand how knowledgeable Ted was and suspected Brian knew as well but enjoyed ignoring the fact.


“Brian, we’ll have a nice breakfast then after, you and Ted can go up to your office,” Justin said effectively putting his socked foot down.


Brian rolled his eyes.  Another “yes, dear” was heard then breakfast began in earnest.


 


***** 


 


“So am I destitute?” Brian asked as he closed his attic office door and gestured to Ted to take a seat.


“What?  No, of course not but our idea…”


“Our?”  The eyebrow went up again.


“My idea may not meet with your approval,” Ted began.


“Out with it, Schmidt, and from the beginning,” Brian demanded.


 


*****


 


“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian purred as Justin finished another masterpiece then hoisted it up to the rafters.  Now that the porch was comfortably warm, Justin was inspired.  There were several new pieces drying high above them.


“You’ve been busy,” Brian commented as he looked up.


“Yeah.  I had some ideas floating in my head but I was too cold to actually get them on canvas,” Justin said as he cleaned up his brushes and stowed away his precious paints.


“I’m sorry,” Brian said as he encircled the younger man in his arms.


“Why are you sorry?”  Justin turned in Brian’s arms to look up into the concerned hazel eyes.


“I should have realized it was too cold in here.  Not even Beau wanted to sleep in his corner,” Brian glanced at the oversized dog pillow.


“Brian, that’s silly.  I’m the one who works in here, I should have said something sooner.”


“I guess we’ve both been a little…”


“Preoccupied?”  Justin finished Brian’s sentence.


“Yeah.  Was it my imagination or was there a considerable reduction in the tension at breakfast?”


“No, it wasn’t your imagination.  Bree and Patrick were sitting next to each other and smiling.”


“I wonder what changed.”


“Whatever it was, let’s hope it stays that way.  I don’t think I can take much more of this.”


“Whatever ‘this’ is.”


“You still don’t have any idea what started the rift between Bree and Patrick?” Justin asked as he searched Brian’s eyes.


“I think it has to do with Patrick not asking Bree to the dance.”


“He’s three years older than her and a teen.  No teen is going to ask a tween to a dance,” Justin said logically.


“Yeah, well hell hath no fury,” Brian quoted badly.  “She’s still planning on going.”


“As far as I know nothing’s changed,” Justin said as he buried his face in Brian’s chest.  Brian dipped his head to nuzzle Justin’s neck.  “I’m sweaty.”  Justin smiled as Brian nipped and nibbled.


“Mmm, tasty too.  I think I have to make a closer inspection.”


“In the middle of the afternoon?”


“Why not?  I’m not that old.”


“Never too old,” Justin murmured against Brian’s lips.  As the lovers deepened their kiss, Bree and Patrick came out of the hall and into the porch on their way to Patrick’s room to do homework and last minute reports before the winter school break.


“Get a room!” they both called out as they passed the two men locked in each other’s arms.  They giggled as Brian and Justin came up for air.


“I believe we’ve been instructed to go to our room, Sunshine,” Brian said with a grin.


“I do believe you’re right, my Big Smoosh,” Justin said with a grin of his own.


“So what are we waiting for?” Brian asked.  Justin shrugged his shoulders, grabbed Brian’s hand then tugged his spouse to their room.


Up above, John and Bobby stood at the balcony rail observing the whole scene.  They laughed when they heard Brian and Justin’s bedroom door slam shut.


“Do you think Brian’s right that this whole thing started because Patrick asked Brittany to the dance?” Bobby asked John.


“It certainly appears that way,” John replied as he snaked his arm around Bobby’s shoulder.


“Maybe they finally came to an understanding,” Bobby suggested.


“Maybe,” John agreed as he gave his spouse a squeeze.  “You know I’m not so old either,” John coyly remarked.


“That thought never entered my mind,” Bobby said with a waggle of his red eyebrows.


They quickly went down the spiral staircase then scurried off to their own room.


 


*****


 


“What did Teddy want?” Justin asked as they rested in between rounds.  Brian was stretched out on the bed on his back.  Justin lay in his arms with his chin resting on Brian’s chest.  Every once in a while Justin would play with the few sparse chest hairs he found there.


“I should shave those,” Brian commented as he looked down his nose to see what Justin was doing.


“Don’t, I like them.”


“I never knew you were into bears, Sunshine.”  Brian grinned.


“One-two-three, fourteen chest hairs do not a bear make,” Justin teased back.


“They’re grey,” Brian sighed.


“Don’t care.  I love you and your grey hairs, now answer the question.  What did Ted want that made him drive all the way here and couldn’t be discussed over the phone?”  Justin gave Brian a determined look.  Brian knew that look and decided being direct would be best.


“He actually had one proposal and one suggestion.  The suggestion was to offer the vacant apartment in the Tremont building to Melanie.”  Brian waited for Justin’s reaction.


“That’s actually a good idea.  My Mom’s been looking for a decent place for Melanie but it’s a bad time of the year.  No one wants to move around the holidays, not if they don’t have to.”


“She’s right.  I’ve been in touch with a few other realtors and they all say the same.”


“Are you going to let her live there?”  Justin raised his head to look into Brian’s eyes.  Brian nodded.  Justin’s eyes widened.


“It makes sense,” Brian said as he pushed Justin’s head down.  “Melanie will be a good tenant.  Not only that, she’ll be safe with friends she knows.  They all look out for each other.  Maybe Mel will become more human,” Brian snarked and got a smack for his trouble.  But he felt Justin nod in agreement.


“And the proposal?” Justin pushed.


“You know we’ve been talking expansion and hiring someone who is free enough to fly on business trips at a moment’s notice.”


“No?  I don’t fucking believe it.  You’re actually considering hiring Mel,” Justin said with astonishment.  He pushed up onto his elbows to get a good look at Brian’s face.


“Believe it, Sunshine.  If Mel accepts the offer, she can start on Monday.”


“Brian, I don’t deny that Melanie is smart and good at what she does but have you stopped to consider Lindsay’s opinion?”


“Yes, I did.  As soon as Ted left I called Linds to discuss it.  She knew Mel was back.  Several birdies from the gay grapevine took delight in dropping that bomb.”


“And, what did Lindsay say?”


“She’s okay with it.”


“What is this - the attack of the pod people?  Lindsay and Mel did not separate on good terms.”


“No they didn’t but Lindsay is very happy with her life.  She’s taken the Bloom Gallery and made it even better.  Her relationship with Chaaarles is in a good place and she and Candy are doing well.  Candy will turn eighteen soon, her drawings are selling, not to mention her work on Rage, and she’s shown interest in the gallery.  It’s like Lindsay’s found the perfect protégé.  They relate on many levels.  Lindsay only wishes Melanie well.”


“That’s…”


“Unbelievable?”


“I was going to say wonderful but unbelievable fits too.”


Brian flipped them over so he could kiss and nibble on Justin’s lips.  He stroked the thick blond tresses away from Justin’s face.


“What is it?” Justin asked.


“Michael.  He called here yesterday screaming his head off but John picked up the phone by accident.”


“He’s not happy,” Justin surmised.


“No, he’s not.  I think he thinks we should all shun Melanie in some misguided loyalty toward JR.”


“But JR loves her mother,” Justin guessed.


“Yes, she does and is very happy to have her back in the Pitts.”


“I bet that’s pissing off Michael.”


“I wouldn’t bet against you.”


“So what are you going to do?  Michael will think you’ve chosen Mel over him.”


“He may have to think that for a while until he cools down enough to hear reason.  Besides we have more pressing matters to consider,” Brian said as he began to grind his groin against Justin’s.  They both hardened. 


“And what might those matters be?” Justin asked as he bucked up, pressing himself closer then wrapping his legs around Brian’s thighs.


“Right now I’m going to fuck you into the mattress,” Brian said as they kissed and humped against each other.


“And later?” Justin asked when the need for air made them break apart for a second.


“Get through this fucking school dance,” Brian growled as he shouldered Justin’s legs then slowly pressed himself inside his already lubed and willing lover.


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

A Woman Scorned

 


Chapter 9


 


"I'll get it!" Bree shouted as she ran to the front door. She yanked it open and grabbed Ashley in a big hug. "Come on," she said to her best friend. The two girls ran down the hall to Bree's bedroom.


"I'm sorry she didn't even acknowledge that you were here, Susanna," Justin said as he arrived at the door. "I don't know where her manners are these days."


Susanna laughed. "They're so excited about this dance. Here's Ashley's dress," she said handing Justin a garment bag. "I think this is a great idea to have the girls try on their dresses together."


"I'm sure they'll be squealing and and oohing and aahing over each thing they put on," Justin laughed. "Can you come in for a coffee?"


"I'd love to, but I'm so glad to have this afternoon to get some of my Christmas shopping done. I'll pick up Ashley before dinner. They think having an evening dance is the ultimate in grown up parties."


"No problem," Justin said. "I just hope they have a good time tonight."


Susanna nodded. "Bree seemed more like herself ... what little I saw of her. She's usually such a positive influence. Ashley's been kind of worried about her."


"Did Ashley tell you anything about what's been bothering Bree?"


"Not really. I just know from the bits I've heard of their conversations that Bree has been in a funk lately."


"That's putting it mildly," Justin said making a face.


"I take it that you don't really know what's going on with her either."


Justin shook his head. "She does seem better lately though, thank God!"


"I guess the girls are growing up. We probably have lots more of this to look forward to as time goes on."


Justin groaned. "I can hardly wait," he said sarcastically.


Susanna chuckled. "We'll get through it ... somehow. Anyway, I better get going if I'm to get all my shopping done."


"Have fun and take your time," Justin advised her. "We'll look after the girls until you come to pick her up."


"That's great. Thanks, Justin."


"No problem," Justin said before he closed the door behind his friend. He walked down the hall to Bree's bedroom where he tapped on the door. "Ashley, your mom left your dress."


"Thanks, Mr. Justin," Ashley said as she opened the door and took the dress from him.


"Do you need any help?" Justin asked.


"No, Daddy, we can get dressed by ourselves," Bree informed him in no uncertain terms.


"Okay, well, if you need any help just call us," Justin said before Bree shut the door. He walked down the hall to find Brian.


 


*****

 



"That dress looks really good on you," Ashley said as Bree twirled in front of her. "Is it new?"


"No," Bree replied with a sigh. "Auntie Molly helped me pick it out from the dresses I had. Daddy and Dada wouldn't get me a new one. I guess it's not so bad."


"It's a great dress. You look ... beautiful."


"So do you," Bree said as she studied her friend. "Is that a new dress?"


"Yes, Mommy got it for me last week. None of my dresses would fit me. Mommy says I've gone through a growth spurt," Ashley explained.


"I wish I'd go through a growth spurt. I want to be taller and older and more beautiful."


"You're all those things already."


"I love you, Ashley," Bree said as she hugged her friend. "I hope this dance is fun. I don't want to sit on a chair the whole time and watch Brittany and Patrick dance."


"We can dance together," Ashley suggested.


"I know," Bree said. "And Patrick said he would save a dance for me."


"He did? When did this happen?"


"I got sick of not talking to Patrick, so I went to his room and we sort of made up," Bree said with a grin.


"You did? That's wonderful. You were so sad ... and cranky ... when you weren't speaking to him."


"I wasn't cranky," Bree protested.


Ashley raised her eyebrows and stared at her friend. "I hate to be the one to tell you, but you were beyond cranky."


"What's beyond cranky?" Bree asked with a frown.


"A word that starts with 'b' that I'm not supposed to say," Ashley replied.


"You mean bitch?"


Ashley giggled. "That's the word."


"I know I was ... upset," Bree sighed, "but I didn't know I was being a bitch." Bree shook her head like she trying to get rid of the last remnants of the girl who was the bitch. "I still wish Patrick was taking me to the dance, but he asked Brittany first, and he's going to take her. But I also think he's a little fed up with her."


"He is?" Ashley asked. "How do you know? Did he tell you that?"


"Not exactly, but I got the feeling that Brittany isn't his favorite person anymore."


"Is his favorite person you?" Ashley asked with a giggle.


"Maybe." Bree grabbed the bottom of her dress and swung the skirt from side to side. Bree's face made Ashley think of the cat who had just caught the bird.


Ashley smiled, feeling good that her friend was happy once again. "I'm so glad, Bree. It's good to have you back like your old self."


"Yeah, I got tired of being mad all the time. It took a lot of energy, and it wasn't getting me anywhere."


"You're so smart," Ashley gushed.


"If I was really smart, I would have figured it out sooner."


"I think you figured it out at just the right time."


Bree grinned. "Auntie Molly gave me this," Bree said excitedly as she opened the drawer of her dresser and pulled out a tube of lipstick. "She said it would make me look older, but she didn't think I should wear it in front of my fathers."


"Ooh, can we try it?" Ashley asked.


The girls proceeded to experiment with putting on the pale pink lipstick, giggling and laughing as they did so.


 


*****

 



“No, problem, we’ll take Ashley with us. No, no, it’ll take you twice as long if you come here first. Okay, we’ll see you at the school in about an hour. Later,” Justin said into the phone as he hung up.


“What’s up?” Brian asked. He came out of the bathroom preceded by a cloud of fragrant Brian scented steam with a towel wrapped around his waist.


“We’re going to be late,” Justin complained with a frown. Justin was dressed in his favorite deep navy Hugo Boss suit with a pale grey shirt. His long blond mane was slicked back making him look very sophisticated. Brian arched a brow then smiled appreciatively.


“You do know this is just a school dance. It’s not a prom or a wedding reception or an exclusive opening for a Justin Taylor show,” Brian growled as he toweled off his hair.


“We made a commitment to Bree and to the school to be there at five. The kids are going to start arriving at six. It’s four and you’re not ready.” Justin stated the facts.


“I’ll be ready in five minutes,” Brian said as he sat on the edge of the bed to pull on his briefs.


“Yeah, right. Sometimes I think you take longer to dress than Bree.”


“Justin, if I said we’ll be there at five then we’ll be there at five. Now, who was on the phone?”


“Susanna. There was an accident downtown. She was stuck in traffic for an hour. If she comes here to get Ashley...”


“So we’ll bring her with us.”


“Right. But we can’t leave until...”


“I’ll be ready. You go check on the Squirt.”


“She’s ten, are you ever going to stop calling her the Squirt?”


“Nope, never, Sunshine,” Brian said with a smirk. He reached over with one long arm to grab Justin and pull him in close. “I will never stop calling you Sunshine and never stop calling Bree, Squirt.” As Brian gave Justin a loving kiss, Justin caressed the cooling skin of Brian’s back. Before their passion could reach a critical level, there was a knock on their door.


“Hey guys, we’re ready to go!” the boys heard John say.


“Be right there,” Justin replied then he took one more taste of Brian’s lips. “I love you,” Justin whispered.


“I know,” Brian murmured back. Justin chuckled then left their room to get the girls.


“Hey,” Justin greeted his in-laws. “Slight change in plans. We’re going to take Ashley with us.”


“No problem. We discussed this,” John said.


“We’ll take separate cars just in case one of us has to stay late or one of the kids wants to leave early,” Bobby added as he threw a poignant look at his son. Patrick blushed.


“What?” Justin asked as he caught the exchange.


“Are you going to tell your uncle or should I?” Bobby asked his son. Patrick heaved a heavy sigh. When no answer was forthcoming, Bobby continued. “Patrick has come to the conclusion that his date for the evening may not have been his wisest choice. However, being the gentleman we hope he is, Patrick will honor his commitment and escort the young lady for the evening,” Bobby emphatically stated. John remained stoic but a familiar Kinney scowl was plastered on his face.


“Are Brittany’s parents chaperoning with the rest of us?” Justin asked.


“No,” Patrick replied. “Her parents are in Florida; the nanny is dropping her off then will pick her up later,” Patrick explained.


“Is Brittany going to be alone for the holidays?” Justin asked aghast that her parents weren’t spending the season with their daughter.


Patrick shook his head. “Brittany didn’t want to go so when school’s out for the break, she’s going to New York to stay with her grandparents,” he answered with relief in his voice.


“At least that’s something,” John commented. Justin and Bobby nodded. “We’ll meet you there,” he said as they headed for the front door.


Justin heard the distinctive sound of the Navigator engine starting up as he stood poised at Bree’s door. He was ready to knock when the door flew open and a very distressed looking Ashley was ready to bolt out of the door.


“What’s wrong?”


“It’s Bree, she locked herself in the bathroom and she won’t come out. I was coming to get you. Mr. Justin, I’m a little scared. She was okay then all of a sudden she said her stomach hurt.” Ashley looked up at Justin with worried eyes.


“It’s okay, sweetheart. Go wait for us in the living room. Your Mom got stuck in traffic, we’re going to take you to the dance.” Justin patted the child on the head.


“Okay, Mr. Justin,” Ashley said. She hesitated for a moment looking back into Bree’s room then slowly walked down the hall.


“Baby Girl?” Justin calmly called out as he gently knocked on Bree’s bathroom door. “Are you okay?”


“I don’t know, Daddy,” came a tiny voice from behind the door.


“Can you let me in?” Justin asked, trying to rein in his worry.


“Daddy, can you get Dada for me?”


“Sure, Baby Girl. I’ll be right back,” Justin said with some disappointment in his voice. He quickly went to the master bedroom just as Brian was slipping his feet into his shoes and putting on his suit jacket.


“Are the girls ready?”


“Brian, Bree’s locked herself in the bathroom.”


“What? Why?”


“Ashley said Bree complained that her stomach hurt then she locked herself in.” Brian did a 180 and rushed into Bree’s room.


“Squirt? Can you open the door for me?” Brian gently begged.


“I don’t know.”


“Brian, make her open up the door,” Justin demanded.


“Easy, we don’t want to scare her,” Brian said calmly.


“But it’s okay for her to scare the shit out of me.”


“Justin, take Ashley to the dance. We’ll meet you there.”


“I am not leaving this house until I see Bree,” Justin growled out.


“Bree, open the door so that your Daddy can see you and then we can talk,” Brian said in his most commanding businesslike manner.


“Make her open the door right now before I break it down,” Justin said through gritted teeth. Brian knew Justin meant it. He was about to kick the door in himself.


“Squirt, I can’t help you until you open the door,” Brian said trying to keep the panic out of his voice.


“You won’t be mad at me?”


“Of course not. I love you, Squirt. Daddy loves you. Nothing you do will ever makes us that angry at you,” Brian reassured his daughter.


They waited a few very long minutes until the boys heard the snick of the lock opening. The door slowly opened and they saw a very tearful Bree look up at them.


“Baby Girl,” Justin said as he dropped to his knees and hugged his daughter.


“Daddy,” Bree murmured as she hung onto Justin. He tried to lift Bree up but she pushed him back. “Daddy, can I please talk to Dada?” Bree asked, choosing her words carefully. Justin seemed stunned. “Please, Daddy.”


“Okay. It seems that I’m not wanted. Brian, I’m going to take Ashley to the dance. I’ll see you both later,” Justin said as he exited the room. “Ashley, sweetheart, get your coat,” Justin shouted.


A few minutes later Brian and Bree heard the front door slam. Brian stood in the middle of Bree’s room pinching the bridge of his nose.


“Dada?” Bree’s voice brought Brian back to the problem at hand. He’d have to deal with an angry Sunshine later.


“Briana, are you ready to tell me the truth?” Brian was about to pick Bree up but she took a step back, so he sat on the edge of her bed and waited until she was ready to speak. “Squirt, help me to help you.”


“Close your eyes.”


“What?”


“Close your eyes. Pleeeez,” she begged. Brian stared at Bree for a moment. He saw the pleading and the confusion in her eyes. For a second Brian saw Justin at his most vulnerable. He closed his eyes and gave into his instincts. Bree leaned close to his ear and whispered.


 


*****

 



“Hey.”


“Hey.”


“You still talking to me?”


“If I must.”


“You’ll have to if you want to know what’s up with your daughter.”


“Our daughter and of course I want to know what’s up. And why are you whispering? Where the fuck are you?”


“In her room. On her bed. She’s asleep with a cold compress on her forehead and an ice pack on her abdomen. I also got her to take a couple Tylenol.”


“You mean she’s really sick? Did you call her pediatrician?”


“Didn’t need to. I know what’s wrong.”


“Are you going to share? This is killing me.”


“Take it down a notch, Sunshine. She’s all right or she will be in about a week, and so will we, eventually, like when she grows up and moves out.”


“Brian, I swear to all the gods if you don’t tell me what the fuck is wrong I am personally going to rip your other ball off.”


“There’s nothing wrong, just that our little girl is growing up.”


“I know that.”


“No, Sunshine, Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor is becoming a young woman.”


“You mean?”


“Yup.


“Holy shit!”


“Yup.”


“So what do we do?”


“You, my dear Sunshine, get to finish out this lovely evening as a chaperone at the school dance. While grey bunny and I get to watch our daughter sleep.”


“Why do I always get the tough jobs.”


“Just lucky I guess.”


“Brian, why didn’t she want to talk to me?”


“I’m not sure. But I’m thinking it’s because you and her are just like two peas in a pod. You both react the same way to certain situations.”


“Are you saying that I’m more emotional than you?”


“No, just more out there. In other words, I fake it better than you do. Don’t worry, Justin, she doesn’t love you any more or less than me; she just needs us differently.”


“Okay ... I think. I’ll be home in a few hours. I love you, Brian.”


“Love you too, Sunshine.”


“Kiss our daughter for me.”


“Will do. Later.”


“Later.”


Brian placed his phone on vibrate as he toed off his shoes and made himself more comfortable next to Bree. She snuggled closer as Brian tucked her comforter around her. Grey bunny was cuddled in between them. He inhaled her soft scent then smiled at the strong genetics. Her scent reminded Brian of Justin. He watched her sleep just as he had watched Justin sleep hundreds and hundreds of times.


After a while Brian carefully rolled onto his back. He allowed the familiar sounds and scents of his home to relax him. He pondered the twists and turns his life took along the way then snickered. Melanie Marcus was now his employee and his tenant, his son was finishing up his MBA, and now his daughter, his baby girl was turning into a woman before his eyes.


As Brian drifted to sleep, he wondered where life was going to take him next.

 

-end-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1628