Straight Outta The Closet by MissMerlot
Summary:

They say that revenge is a dish best served cold - well some hotness is always nice isn't it? Meet Ted Schmidt, according to former friend Michael Novotny, he's one of those pathetic suckers put on earth to be taken advantage of. Because of Ted, Michael has the life that Ted could only dream of. Between him and his wife Lindsay, they run Rage PR Inc, the best public relations agency in the Northwest Frontier, well according to them...the people they represent, not so much. They want to expand and think themselves unstoppable, untouchable but they're about to find out how wrong they are. Because into Ted's life come three men; Ben, Brian and Emmett - they decide to teach those two liars a lesson they will never forget and put them exactly where they're supposed to be. And what do the four of them get...love and happiness of course, read on and find out how everyone gets what they need and deserve.

Based on a frightmare that Cathy Sunderland told me about...one tweakage later and here we are! Thanks for sharing.

 

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing, not a damn thing, no copyright infringement is intended whatsoever.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Brian Kinney, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Ethan Gold, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt, Vic Grassi
Tags: 100k+ Word Count, Anal Beads, Anal Sex (Lots of it!), Anti-Lindsay, Anti-Michael, Birthday, Bisexual, Bottom Brian, Brain Bleach Recommended, Business Brian, Celebratory Fuck, Coming Out, Dirty Talk, Family, First Time (Sex), Fluff, Friendship, Hatred, Homophobia, Humiliation, Jealousy, Masturbation , Oral Sex, Phone Sex, Raw Sex, Responsible Justin, Rimming, Sex Toys, Toppy Justin, Vulnerable Brian, Vulnerable Justin
Genres: Angst w/ Happy Ending, Drama, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Porny, Romance
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Emmett/Drew, Michael/Other, Other Cast Pairing, Ted/Ben
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 50036 Read: 25208 Published: Jan 16, 2021 Updated: Feb 17, 2024

1. Opening the Door on Them...After They Closed the Door on Him by MissMerlot

2. More History and The Hunt Begins by MissMerlot

3. Underselling, Undermining and Unnerving by MissMerlot

4. He Wants to do what and Knows Who by MissMerlot

5. Two Ideas...One Good, One Bad and Help from the Past by MissMerlot

6. Memories...From Last Night and A Saviour From School by MissMerlot

7. More Manners and She Wonders by MissMerlot

8. Balloons and a Blast from Their Past by MissMerlot

9. Blake's Side of the Story and Ted's Version by MissMerlot

10. Feelings by MissMerlot

11. The Uncaged Birds Begin to Sing and the Crone Caws by MissMerlot

12. The Chickenhawk and the Ex Set the Trap by MissMerlot

13. Fifteen Love... by MissMerlot

14. Thirty Love...Plus One Falls and the Other's Crazy by MissMerlot

15. As They Dock His Ship Starts to Sink by MissMerlot

16. More Stinking Means Legal Sinking by MissMerlot

17. Revenge of the Crone and He is Family by MissMerlot

18. Food for Thought and They Have History by MissMerlot

19. Relatively Speaking by MissMerlot

20. Chapter 20 - They Will Have His Company by MissMerlot

21. Talk...Honestly, Drunkenly and Back to Jail by MissMerlot

22. An Ex from the West Means War's Declared by MissMerlot

Opening the Door on Them...After They Closed the Door on Him by MissMerlot

CHAPTER ONE - OPENING THE DOOR ON THEM...AFTER THEY CLOSED THE DOOR ON HIM


THE DOME


TED


I inhale the familiar acrid scent and wince as the thump-thump pummels through my body - God, I hate this place, but The Dome is a good club; gone a bit to rack and ruin, but it’s a good place. 


Peering out from my corner, I envy those who are free and easy in their lives. Making my way to the bar, I’m largely ignored, which is something I’m used to, so I pick at the label of my empty water bottle and wait. And wait. I’ve not normally had to wait this long, but looking at the patrons, I see two reasons why: both tall and gorgeous. One is a muscular blond, the other a slim and lithe brunet. The blond is ordering drinks whilst his companion looks around. He points in my direction, the blond looks nauseated and pulls his hand down. 


“There’s no need for that reaction.” I mutter crossly. “Well, that’s made a shit evening even worse, might as well go home to speak to the hand!” 


I push my way through the crowd to get to the cloakroom, then feel something running down my back. “Oh, just perfect!” I sigh but keep walking. When I get there, the queue isn’t too bad, so at least that’s something. My luck promptly runs out when they can’t find my jacket, my brand-new-bought-this-morning jacket. 


“What was the name again? Smith?” Coat Check Charlie asks.


“Not Smith, Schmidt. Would you like me to spell it for you?”


“Would you like me to be helpful?” He returns, drumming his nails on the counter.


“Look, I just want to get my jacket and suck the expensive whiskey out of my shirt that someone spilt on me, as I sure as fuck can’t afford to buy it!” I can feel the tears forming, when he sees them his drumming stops and his expression softens. “Please, it’s new, they both are. I can’t...I just can’t.”


“Two ticks, hon…” He replies before disappearing into the darkness. “Jerome! Have you been shopping again?!” Cross words are being exchanged. “You can’t keep the jacket, you’ve not seen who owns it. Come on, just give it back!”


“No, I like it. Nobody can be that bad!” Jerome laughs, then a head is stuck out and swiftly retreats. “Nope, he can definitely afford to lose it!”


“I may be able to fucking afford it, but you’re not keeping it!” I roar, and find myself on the other side of the counter, yanking the curtain open. The two men look surprised and a lot bigger close up.


“Listen, ugly one, I’m keeping the jacket, understand?!” Jerome sneers before shoving me out of the room. I’m winded after crashing into the counter. “Security, security!” Jerome shrieks.


“What’s going on, Jez?!” A burly man demands. “This causing problems?!” He hauls me up by my collar, my toes are barely touching the ground. 


“He says that this is his coat, but he’s made a mistake and was mean to me!” Jerome goes into full simper mode. “Can you get rid of him and ban…”


“Bullshit!” Coat Check Charlie explodes. “He’s been shopping, Ralph. Put Mr Smith down before he starts going blue!” 


I yelp as I turn my ankle slightly. “Schmidt, it’s Schmidt! I just want to take my jacket and now put some ice on my ankle if I can get a cab!”


“Here!” Jerome snaps, and tears, literally tears, the jacket off. He throws it, followed by the sleeve at my feet. “You’ve ruined it for me now!”


“Come on, Smith, get out, you’ve got what you wanted!” The guard helps me up again and drags me and the remains of my jacket to the door. “Don’t return! The boss doesn’t like people who upsets his Jez!” 


“Oh no don’t ban him! We want him back!!” Jerome laughs. “His money is so good, even if he’s a boring teetotaler!!”


“True! But for now, our fun is over!” He declares before throwing me outside.


Because of my ankle, I don’t have much balance, so I end up in the gutter with scuffed knees and people laughing. Just as I’m about to get up, a car sails through a puddle, giving me a cold shower. “At least the water hides my tears!” I weep and slowly sit up, gathering the stuff that fell out of my jacket. 


“Excuse me, are you al…” A guy asks.


“Come on, the car's here!” Someone else shouts. 


“But that guy that got drenched, we need to…” The guy objects.


“We don’t need to do anything for anybody, especially him!” The sneering tones of my former friend, Michael Novotny, chill me further. “Schmidt’s a nobody, and in exactly the place he needs to be!”


I watch him and his rabble get in the car and drive away. “Asshole!” I shout after them.


“Yeah, he is a bit, isn’t he? Need some help?” A hand reaches down and I look up. It's the blond from earlier. “You look like you need a coffee, but first a...”


“No thank you.” I retort, pushing his hand away and slowly standing. “You’ve already made your distaste of me clear!”


“Distaste of you? When?” He asks as he picks up my sleeve; his eyes widen. “It’s you!”


“Yes, it’s me!” I snap, snatching my sleeve back. “Good night!” 


“Please, let me help...” 


“No thank you!” 


“But I should pay for the shirt, it’s the least I can do. I’m really sorry about that. Some idiot was rather keen to get to Brian; bumped...why would I find you distasteful?”


“Shirt? Brian? What are you talking about?” I frown.


“I spilt my drink on your shirt. I was trying to find you to apologise. I’m Ben by the way.”


“Your Brian pointed at me. You looked like you wanted to spit up shit, and…”


“Oh I see. That look was for the guy behind you.” Ben laughs before jerking his head in the direction of Michael’s car. “The asshole.”


“Look, I’m cold, confused, and tired. Forget about the shirt. And…”


“I can solve two or maybe three of those problems for you. I’m just up there.”


“Up…”


“Come on, lean on me, you’re not going to get a cab now. At least from a residence, you’ve got a pick up point.” He crooks out his elbow. Sighing and wincing from the pain and humiliation, I resign myself to whatever fate has in store for me and take it.


BEN


I try to remain calm as we head slowly towards the loft. I’m hoping that Brian is not entertaining, especially not the guy he ended up going off with. “So, Schmidt’s an unusual name.”


“It's my surname, so not so much.” He grouses and sniffs.


“And the first name is?” I pull us to a stop and look him up and down. “How much do you weigh?”


“Ted and why?” He frowns, then gasps as I pick him up and start to stride towards our destination. “Put me down!” He demands, wiggling, then groaning and going still. 


“It’s quicker if I carry you.” I declare. In five minutes, we're at the loft building; I gently put him down. “Now don’t try and hobble off, it looks like rain and I’m wet enough.” This gets a small snort. I cross my fingers as we get in the elevator. As we reach the top floor, I  see the alarm is on, which means he’s not back...I send a prayer of thanks and open the door. “Are you coming in?” I ask when he stands awestruck in the hallway.


“No, I can’t. I can’t come in here, if here is where I think it is.” He whispers.


“Well, you’re going to have to unless you want to get a chill.” I hold out my hand. “Come on, Ted, as much as I’d like to carry you over the threshold, I’d rather we were married first.”


“Thresh...married...what?” He still hasn’t moved. “Is this the loft?” 


“If I say no will you come in? You’re beginning to shiver.” It takes a few seconds for him to move; once inside he stays close to the door. “Okay, I lied…it is the loft, but I mean someone as cute as you no harm.”


“You’ve lied twice. I’m not cute!” He asserts before digging in his trouser pocket. “Oh, that’s just wonderful!” 


“What?”


“My phone is most likely still in the gutter.”  He grumbles. “Yet another expense to cater for!”


“Why were you in the gutter anyway? What happened to your jacket?” I steer him towards the kitchen, then it hits me. “Before you tell me anything, you need to have a shower!”


“No, I wouldn’t want to sully this hallowed turf with my putridness. If I can just borrow your phone, I’ll...”


“Don’t talk about yourself like that, it's annoying. I hate it when people are self-deprecating or pathetic in the hopes of getting a compliment or some other way of soothing their ego. Is that what you’re doing?”


He snorts. “As do I, and no I’m not. Just had a supremely rough evening. I’m sorry.”


“Accepted. Back to the phone question: yes you can, but after you’ve had a shower. I doubt you will get a cab smelling the way you do.”


“What happened to cute?!” He gripes with a smile. 


“Still cute, but you stink! It’s through there, I’ll grab you a towel and a robe.” He regards me warily. “Want me to carry you?”


“No. I just…” He sniffs then winces. “...Jesus, that way you said?!” He cries, pinching his nose.


“Yes!” I laugh, admiring the view as he limps towards the bathroom. His exclamation as he takes it in makes me laugh more. “There’s towels in the cupboard to your left!” Less than ten seconds later, the door is wrenched open. He is holding a towel gingerly between his fingers. “Isn’t it clean?” I ask, approaching him.


“It’s Egyptian cotton…”


“Yeah, he only likes the very best for his body. 700 thread count. Now, for the last time, go and have a shower, it will be fine! Leave your clothes outside, I can give them a quick rinse and dry for you whilst you do that.”


“Please don’t let me wake up now!” He mutters as he closes the door; his clothes are folded neatly outside a minute later. 


I grab them then put on the coffee. It takes me a couple of seconds to register that he is singing, and he’s got a great voice. Hearing a key in the lock makes my heart sink. “Not now!” I grumble, but before I can move, the door is swung open and Emmett strides in. 


He looks relieved. “Stop and breathe, he’s here.” He hands me his phone. “Six foot two, worried and angry for you.”


I sigh at his protectiveness. “Brian, do not come back! Emmett’s found me, he’s going back to the hotel. I…”


“Why do we have an old soulful baritone in the bathroom?!” Emmett exclaims. “He sings real nice!”


“Emmett!” I groan, as that means Brian will be on his way back. “Please, Brian, I’m…”


“I love you, Ben, but you’re not telling me when I can come and go in my own loft!” Brian declares as he strides in, Emmett mouths apologies, I give him a wry smile, knowing Brian said he’d castrate him if I got wind of his presence. I slide his phone back. “And since I didn’t cum earlier, I’m not in the mood to be charitable!”


“Um, Ben, I need the robe please!” Ted picks that moment to stick his head out, he goes pale and quickly slams the door shut.


“Please, can you two go whilst he’s still just freaking out!” I plead.


“Oh no, I’d like to meet the person you coldly abandoned me for!” Brian smirks, heading to his bedroom. “Let me get him a robe.”


“I will give you five grand to get out of here!”


“Cuz, we’re millionaires, five grand is nothing.” Brian states, then raps on the door. “Hello, I’ve got your robe! And also no problem coming in, so take this and come out, come out, whoever you are!”


The loft goes quiet. Slowly, the door opens and he sticks out his hand. “So how do you like your coffee, or would you prefer something stronger?” He leans nearer to the door. I can’t hear what’s being said, Brian is smiling when he joins us. “Black with one sugar.”


“It took him that long to tell you that?” Emmett starts to take mugs down. “Are we topping?”


“Not tonight!” I grumble, then head to the cart whilst trying not to join them in the giggling. “It’s not funny!” I pout, they just bat their eyes. “So what did he say?” I demand; looks are exchanged and expressions soften.


“His name and that he will be about five minutes. That’s all, Cuz, promise.” Brian squeezes my arm. “I have to say, he’s cute; bit down on himself though.”


“Hmm, noticed that too. Oh, he knows the asshole guy from the club, the one that you were getting vibes from.” 


Whilst Brian curls his lip, Ems looks confused. “We were in The Dome, checking out the competition. There was a group of people behind Ted; couldn’t figure out why they were there, especially the guy sucking face with the woman.”


“What about him? Okay, sucking face with a woman in a gay club is not the norm, but…”


“I’m never wrong. Neither of us are. That man is gay.” Brian asserts. “What I couldn’t understand is why he was making such a show of pretending he isn’t.”


“It doesn't work for his image.” Ted’s states, tying the robe tightly. “Was the lady blonde and up her own ass in demeanour?”


“Yep, bi or dyke?” Brian pours the coffee. “This is Emmett, he’s our assistant. Call him Ems, you’ll get used to him very quickly. He’s one for sweetie, darling, and will most likely call you Teddy.” 


“I...um, nice to meet you, Emmett, Ems. And she’s Lindsay, his wife; his bi-wife. She…”


“Who the hell did that?!” Brian declares, picking up the remains of Ted’s jacket. “Sacrilege!”


“One of the boys in The Dome. He wanted to keep it, but for once I stood my ground, and…”


“Great taste. Ems, get this to our tailor first thing.” Emmett nods and takes it whilst switching off the machine then taking out the clothes. “Give him a pair of sweats, they look like roadkill!”


“How am I in the loft of the, and I mean, THE Brian Kinney?!” Ted sits down heavily. He takes a big swallow of the coffee before looking blissful. “Oh that’s the best thing to cross my lips in years!”


“Wait till you kiss Ben or suck his cock, you’ll change your mind, or so I’ve heard. We’re cousins, so I can’t say I know from personal experience.” Brian signals Ems, who hands him the clothes with a smile. “And since I don’t fish where he wants to eat, we shall leave you to get to know each other. But before we go, who are they to you?”


“He’s Michael Novotny and she’s Lindsay Peterson, they run Rage PR Inc. He is the listed author for the book We Are One Two...”


“He is?! I loved that book!” Ems declares.


“I’m the true author. He took the credit, then kicked me to the curb. Gave me a lot of money, but I wanted the recognition for what is a beautiful love story, the only love he knows is when he sees his reflection. I trusted him and he stole from me!” He drinks some more before sighing. “But I can’t prove it, he has everything and I signed an NDA.”


“We hate liars.” Ems leans against the island. “Although, as a matter of interest, why are you giving him more money?”


TED


I frown. “What do you mean, more money?”


“The Dome Club is owned by him; why do you go there?” Emmett asks. My jaw is on the floor. “Since we’re opening a new club called Babylon, one has to check out the competition. He’s listed under Michael Grassi, and Google has been my friend. I will be removing all copies of that book from our abodes when we get back to New York!”   


“No wonder I’m always having a hard fucking time in there!” I explode. “He’s most likely been...why can’t he leave me alone?!”


“No, calm yourself, Ted. Brian and I will be going, you tell Benjamin here all we need to know to destroy that fucker!”


They’re gone before I can respond. “So, want to start from the beginning?” Ben asks. I grab my coffee and follow him to the sofa.

 

End Notes:

if reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thank you.

More History and The Hunt Begins by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 2 - MORE HISTORY AND THE HUNT BEGINS


LOWER LOFT - FIVE MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


I grin at Ems. I’m so happy right now; we both are “He likes him, he really does!”


He claps his hands and pours us a glass of champagne. “Thank goodness, I thought he’d never be interested in someone again after Charles.”


“Seriously, his jaw hit the floor when he saw him!” I take down half the glass before setting up the ironing board.


“You are such an oddbody, Brian. Worth over a billion, yet won’t allow anyone to iron any clothing.” 


“Idiosyncratic sounds better.” I grumble as I start to iron. “Don’t like the sound of how Novotny turned out. Find out more. If I’ve got anything to do with it, Ted is going to be a long term fixture in Ben’s life, and you know how Ben gets when someone harms his man.”


“Indeed!” Ems chuckles as he boots up the computer. “Turned out? Do you know him?”


“Just through school. Even then he was all about being straight, but his Mom was a flaming...”


“Transvestite?”


“Hah! No, a fag hag. A very loud one but a heart of gold. I remember her working in the canteen for a couple of weeks, he was very unpopular…”


“Because she was that bad a cook?”


“No, she was excellent; he whined her into leaving, said it was embarrassing for him.” I pause in my ironing as I think back to her. “Debs was what she insisted everyone call her; and I mean everyone. It was only stopped when a complaint was made to the principal.”


“Bet it was him, but he probably said it wasn’t; did he weep and wail with disappointment when she had to leave?” 


“You sure you’ve not met him?” I laugh then we go quiet as there’s a thud from upstairs. “Do you think…”


UPPER LOFT


BEN


He is trying to get up to rescue the rug where he dropped his coffee, but I’m not letting him go. I hold up the sleeve of the gown; he uses it to wipe his eyes. “Cathartic and a long time coming?”


“Hmm…” He mumbles from my chest. “...and I’m not sorry for being here.”


“On my chest or in the loft?”


“The chest. You’re wearing cashmere, it’s very soft against my skin.” He snickers.


“You should feel my skin, only the best quality stuff is used.” I tease. Him sighing and again trying to move away disappoints me. “Are you going somewhere?” 


“For a cloth. It’s bugging me too much to leave it!” He taps my hands. “Keep my spot please.” Smiling, I let him go. He takes the cup from the table and hurries to the kitchen; he hums as he searches, then runs the tap. He’s back with a bowl and a cloth. 


“When was the last time this was used?” He chuckles, flapping the flannel in the air.” It's like cardboard!”


“No!” I cry, but it's too late. He's dunked it into the water and is ringing it out.


“Don’t panic, I’m an expert mopper upper of coffee. Now let me see here…”


“Ted, the flannel, it’s…”


“Slimy. Urgh…” He peers at the cloudy water, then at me, then at the water again. “...uh what was this used for?” 


“It’s a...it’s Brian’s cum rag.” I whisper face flaming.


“His...how do you know that? And why was it under the sink?!” He runs to the kitchen. “Bleach! Goop! Anything!” I dash to the bathroom, find some antibacterial gel and squeeze some over his hands. 


He sighs as he dries them. “So not only am I in his loft, in his robe, but I was also covered in his aged cum? Is that the size of the situation?”


“Yes.” I mumble. “I know that’s what it is because I walked in on him, them...well they’d just finished. It was a couple of years...do you want to go?”


“No…” He hiccups a laugh. “...this is the best fun I’ve had with someone else’s clothes on!” 


I’m so relieved. “Do you want more coffee then?”


“Please.” He snickers when my stomach grumbles. “Is there any food in here? I do a very good sandwich.”


“Check the fridge, we did a small shop earlier; I know there’s some bread…”


“He eats bread?!” 


“No, that's for me!” I laugh, as he surveys the contents I peer over his shoulder. “So what do you fancy?”


“Is that...which savage has done that?” He glares at me. I don’t understand. “They’ll have to come to temperature now.” He reaches for the eggs. “Unless I do scrambled, do you like scrambled?”


“I do.” I smile; he takes out the butter and milk whilst I take out the pan, oil and seasonings. “To be fair, we were in a rush when we left earlier. So where does Lindsay fit into this shitshow?”


“She’s a money hound...follows it like a bitch in heat. They reconnected when he…”


“Reconnected? So how did they know each other before?” I watch him expertly crack the eggs and taste as he seasons. 


“We all first met in writing class, but as for Michael and me, we worked together at Wertshafters, the publicity firm, as it was then called; I should’ve gone with my gut…” He stops stirring briefly, then shakes himself. “...hindsight is a beautiful thing unless you’re the one looking.” I rub his shoulder, he gives me a small smile. “We were both up for a promotion but he got it instead. I should’ve left there and then but I didn’t. Cowardly I suppose, but I loved my job. I may be a boring accountant, but I’m a boring accountant who happens to also write like Dickens. We three worked on it together in the evenings, well I worked they just lobbed in the odd word or two. Anyway, when the book was done, he said he would take it to Wertshafter and push me forward. Well we know how that went. Since found out that the Wertshafter was a homophobe, Michael outed me to him and expressed the appropriate amount of disgust, and…”


“Was, has he had a moment of humanity then?” I sneer.


“No, thankfully there’s one less of those miscreants on the planet, but he helped Michael get where he is. He became his surrogate son and when he died he left the company to him; so he had a ready made base of clients. One of whom is going to be Drew Boyd.” I stop making coffee and look at him. “I’ve kept an eye on them, figuring I can get some karmic justice on them, but…”


“You can indeed! One second! Carry on cooking!” I order before running downstairs to speak to Brian and Ems.


MICHAEL AND LINDSAY’S HOME - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


“I was right, wasn't I? It is him, isn’t it?” I ask as Lindsay comes in wine and her tablet.


“Yes, he’s gorgeous!” She declares, setting the tray down. “Now let me tell you what I’ve found...Michael, use a coaster, this is antique oak. You are not in The Drone now!”


“Dome!” I spit; seething at her continual need to teach me things I can do without learning, however, instead of putting it on the coaster, I take it to the kitchen.


“Where are you going? I was talking to you!” She caws like the annoying crow she is.


“Getting some beer, which is what I was drinking before.” I call back whilst rolling my eyes. I sniff the thing that cost her $80 and scowl. “Smells like expensive vinegar; bet it tastes like that too.” I take a sip and grimace when I am proved right. After I grab the beer, I check over my shoulder, the coast is clear so take great joy in starting to pour it down the sink.


“What are you doing?!” I drop the glass in surprise. “Michael! That’s from Baccarat, why are you so clumsy and uncultured? Just that clean that up; don’t forget to put it on the list of yet another thing you’ve got to replace!”


Knowing she will only stand over me until I do, I get on with it. My mind drifts to my liaison tomorrow, but then I feel a sharp pain. “Fuck!” I yelp; she doesn’t hide her smirk as she hands me a tissue. “Get the kit, I need a plaster! This is your fault, you saw me drinking beer!” She slams it on the table then starts the garbage disposal. It takes a few minutes for my finger to stop bleeding, she stands there silently judging me. 


“It’s a good job it's not your writing hand.” She snarks as she passes me the ‘’things you’ve broken’ notebook. 


She stands over me whilst I write; she has the nerve to check it before putting it back then heading back to the lounge. I follow shooting dark looks at her back. “Before you drink yourself to a stupor because you weren’t hit on, what did you find out?!”


“Read it yourself, I’m going to bed. And I was hit on, I just respect the image we’ve spent years cultivating enough not to ruin it. Who was it that almost got caught with Jerome, and by Justin of all people! Still not got him to sign that contact and the NDA yet, have you?” 


I fume at her taunts. Justin Taylor is an extraordinary artist - well, according to her. I don’t understand his daubings myself. But he’s not signing up with us. Yes, he gets who we are and the prestige we can bring, but he’s very much out to his friends and won’t go back in, no matter what we tell him about how that could be detrimental to his career. 


Both Lindsay and I were furious that we couldn’t use our ‘tried and tested’ method of getting him on our books: set him up with someone and have them approach us with the evidence and we suggest damage control. I take comfort in that’s how we got Drew Boyd, the soon to be retired Ironman. Rumours had been circulating about him for years. My radar was pinging the moment we met at the press conference, so I sent my bait boy, Jerome, and of course he bit faster than a Howard Bellwether at the barebacking party! So naturally he was all on board when I told him that I would be happy to be the go-between and salvage his image. We’re unveiling him in a couple of weeks time, oh how we crowed when we landed him. He’s going to bring in millions. Lindsey's insistence that he announces his engagement to his secret girlfriend, who doesn’t like publicity, was a masterstroke. The only downside to the book launch in a couple of weeks time is the shopping for yet another monkey suit I’ll have to endure.


“I will get him, Lindsay; I always get who I want, when I want them. I just don’t want him yet.”


“Of course you don’t. And which want don’t you want, him on our books or him up your ass? He may twinkle, which is kinda of your jam, but he’s a top, and according to sources an excellent one; never bottoms. And you can’t have it get about what you really do in your midden, can you?!” She sneers before sauntering out, chuckling. 


I pull on my beer fuming about how right - as ever - she is. I really would love to have him bend for me, but he’s not shown anything but business disinterest. 


He reminds me so much of Brian Kinney, oh how I hate him! He ruined my relationship with my Mother, all because he reminded her of a young Uncle Vic, who, thank God, is living it up in San Francisco, but on my dime. He was very smug about me having to pay for his silence, it was particularly galling when he said that nobody knows that we’re related, such is his shame and disgust at my treatment of Ted. I told him it is a dog eat dog world out there, it’s not my fault that Ted is a pathetic lab and I’m a ruthless doberman. 


I think back to school and how all the girls swooned when Brian first arrived. How the boys swarmed around him waiting to be his ‘dude’. I couldn’t have that, I was one of the most popular boys in school before he came along. So I started rumours about him being dirt poor and stealing things from other students. At first it was working, but then I put out the rumour of him stealing the senior jock’s girlfriend. None of the rumours ever came back to me, of course. I waited for him to be put in the place he belonged: the bottom of the dung heap, but then he did something that I never thought anyone of that age would do, he came out. I remember it clear as day, when the jock confronted him in the hallway he drawled ‘I’d rather steal you, just for the night. I don’t do long term relationships, we’d just fuck and move on.”


I had visions of him getting the shit kicked out of him; I couldn’t believe it when the jock just laughed. And when he said he suspected as much but didn’t think he would ever say anything; Kinney shrugged and replied ‘unless my cock is up your ass or in yours is in my mouth, what I do with my life is none of your business.’ Naturally, they became great friends and he surpassed me in popularity. I was cast into the shadows, and hated it. I vowed never to be in that position again.


I settle down on the sofa and read what Lindsay found and choke on my beer. He’s done it again; beaten me without even trying, or I should imagine, knowing! He’s a billionaire owning a string of nightclubs in New York, Los Angeles, California and wants to open one here! Jerome had mentioned that there was a new club opening, but as everyone knows that The Dome is the best around and don’t go to the others, it didn’t bother me. Not that the others affect my pocketbook since I part own the Boi Toi and Popperz and have been slowly running them into the ground. The only club I didn’t have my finger in the pie of, Meathook, closed down months ago, it was a prime spot on Liberty Avenue, with a sense of dread I investigate further. Twenty minutes later, my heart pounds and sinks in equal measure. He has purchased the site, and judging by the ones he owns, it’s gonna put me and The Dome in the shadows. 


I won’t be beaten by him again, I won’t! There must be something I can get on him. I make a note before draining my beer and heading to bed. 


UPPER LOFT - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


BEN


“They were the best scrambled eggs I’ve ever had, thank you!” I beam at Ted, who blushes as he takes up the plates. I follow with the glasses. “Your clothes are perfectly ironed, by the way; they’re in the bedroom. So you want me to call you that cab?” He yawns hugely before nodding. “Okay, what’s your address?” He's leaning against the cupboard saying nothing. “Ted, are you alright?” I touch his shoulder and he jerks awake. “You are totally wiped. Why not sleep here?”


“Oh no, no I couldn’t do that!” He gasps, whilst looking longingly at the sofa. 


“Please, Ted, I would feel better if you stayed the night. Besides, in doing so, it starts our plan of action to pay back Michael and Lindsay.” He yawns then smacks his tongue, his beautiful brown eyes are drifting shut again. “Which Brian can tell you when you go for breakfast with him at the diner.”


“Hmmm.  Breakfast with Brian, okay.” He mumbles before his eyes snap open. “Pardon?”


“Like I said, he will explain when he comes and picks you up.” I take his elbow; he allows himself to be led to the chair. He looks confused. “Am going to open the sofa…” It doesn't take me long. He’s really struggling, so I am thankful that it’s still mostly made up. “...Ted, get in, I’m just going to get an eiderdown.” He gets into bed then takes off his robe, dropping it on the floor. “I’ll get some jammies then, or would you prefer your boxers.”


“Oh my god!” He cries going bright red, which I think is adorable! “Can I have my boxers please?” Chuckling I fetch them then turn around so he can put them on, I snort when he dives under the blankets. “All done.” He calls out, I lay the eiderdown on top of him. “Silk, of course, it’s silk.”


“What did you do with all the money he gave you?” I frown as I make sure he’s as snug as a bug. 


“Nothing, still in the bank.” He strokes the material. “Although, I think I will treat myself to one of these, so soft.” I take off my socks and tuck myself in behind him, on top of the eiderdown; he turns around. “Are you going to read me a bedtime story?”


“No, I’m going to give a kiss goodnight and hold you until you go to sleep.” I return; doing exactly that. When I wake up a few hours later, he snuffles an objection and moves closer when I try to let him go. “Okay, I’ll stay.” I murmur, kissing his forehead. My heart soars at the sleepy ‘good’ I get in response.

 

I set my alarm for nine and look forward to showing Michael that karma is six foot two and weighs 250 pounds, and he's messed with my man for the last time!

End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx.

Underselling, Undermining and Unnerving by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 3 - UNDERSELLING, UNDERMINING AND UNNERVING




BRIAN’S LOFT - NEXT MORNING




KITCHEN




BEN




He's looking at me, then the coffee. He tastes it again. “It’s perfect and you know it.” I declare smugly.




“I will concede that it is better than what I would…” I pull him closer, silencing his bullshit with my tongue. “...mmm-hmmm.” He groans, wrapping one arm around my waist, his other hand is taking my mug away. 




“Closer?” I mumble against his lips.




“Much more.” He buries his hand in my hair, holding me still, then draining all thought from the head attached to my neck. The one in my pants is keen to continue ‘this conversation elsewhere’. 




“I don’t suppose Ted can teach me how to do it like that?” Emmett chuckles, his grin widens as we peel apart. “Obviously, he’d write it down, not give me a practical demonstration.”




“Nicely clarified.” I return. “What are you doing here?” 




“Have been sent to tell your beignet d’amour to meet Brian in the diner. He has an idea to get Michael’s attention.” 




“What?” I am reluctant to let go of Ted, who moves closer. 




“He will tell you when he returns.” Emmett replies as he heads to the bedroom. “Is your...aha, never mind, found it.” He returns with my Prada tulip jumper. “This on, your trousers have been pressed to perfection. The diner two streets down from Liberty Avenue in twenty, no thirty minutes.” He crooks out an elbow. “Thank you, Benjamin. I shall return Theodorable in 15 minutes, giving you five minutes of melting before I drop him off.”




“Ten minutes of whatever and ten minutes of melting.” Ted declares.




“Deal.” Emmett hustles him to the bathroom.




Theodorable, I like that and the guy very much!




DINER - FIVE MINUTES LATER




JUSTIN




Resting my head against the wall, I savour the smells and sounds of the diner, I love places like this. I’m surprised that Michael agreed to come here. It’s not his aesthetic, but he's keen on two things: one, to represent me; the other to get in my pants. Only one of those things might happen. As I survey the patrons, my heart sinks. “Of all the frigging places.” I grumble quickly, flicking back to the page in my pad. “Hopefully he won’t see me.” 




“You're a bit difficult to miss.” A deep voice drawls. Sighing, I look up and we both just stare. “Need help?” 




“Please, can you sit opposite real quick and be my model?” I plead.




“Sure.” He pours himself into the seat. “How do you want me?” 




 Naked in the 69 position! 




“Side profile.” I mutter. “Thank you…”




“Brian. And you are, apart from hugely talented?” I frown; he gestures at my pad. “I peeked when you went to the john.” 




“That was very rude of you. You shouldn’t have done that.” I reprimand him, he smiles. “You should apologise.”




“I never apologise for admiring anything, be it talent or beauty.” He sips his coffee. “Besides, I don’t know you. You’ve yet to introduce yourself despite begging for my help.”




I snort at his audacity. “Justin. Justin…”




“Taylor. I thought it was you.” The person I was hoping to avoid is practically sitting in my lap.




“Mr Thomas. How…”




“Call me Kip.”




“Mr Thomas. How are you?” I fail to stop Brian from pulling my pad to him and flicking through. “I am very…” The low whistle as he turns the pages makes my face warm. When he gets to the page of him, his eyebrows go up and  a smile begins to form. “...busy with my client.”




“Client?” He frowns, putting his take-out cup, the hope that his stay will be brief flares, on the table. “I’m not sure that Michael would like that.”




“Who’s Michael? A boyfriend?” Brian asks flicking through the pad again.




“He’s his publicist.” Kip huffs; he gasps when Brian looks at him. “How...how do you know Justin?” When he tries to sit next to me, I flip my coffee over the seat. His move towards Brian is also blocked when he stretches out; Kip almost falls at his feet in an effort not to sit in his lap. “Let me get you a cloth, Justin,. Then we three can get to know each other better.”




“I’ll get the cloth.” Brian declares, the rustle of his clothes as he slides out of the booth is like a gentle breeze through leaves, he turns to Kip. “As there’s obviously nothing further you need with Mr Taylor, you can be on your way, Mr Thomas. This may be a public place, but it’s a private appointment.”




“Um, okay.” He blushes; we both admire Brian’s stride to the counter; his jacket pulls beautifully as he leans closer to speak to the waitress.




“Jesus, he is gorgeous. Where did you meet him? Michael will need to know about this.”




“Why? What I do in my time is none of his business.” I retort, as the coffee spreads faster that I can mop it; grabbing more napkins I wish Brian would hurry up.




“But you’re meeting him here.” Kip presses taking out his phone. “I think he should be made aware of this potential…”




“It’s 1030, I’m meeting him at 1130. If I see or hear him before that time, he won’t be meeting me at all.” I snap; he puts away his phone. I kick myself as I blow the opportunity to spend more time with Brian instead! “Since there’s no other reason for you to be here…”




“Oh, but there is. Jeez, the things I could do to him.” He mutters; his ogling begins to rankle. 




“You couldn’t.” I sniff. “Piece of advice, Mr Thomas: tops don’t bend. And he…” I check out Brian’s cute backside. “...like me, is a top.”




“You’re a top?” He frowns. “Not the impression I got. Interesting, very interesting. Very good to know too.” Now I’m not a violent man, but this schlub thinking I’m anything but a top and that he has a chance with either of us, makes me want to fist him with a cudgel!




“Mr Thomas.” I growl. “Given his keenness, Michael will be most displeased to find that his meeting gets cancelled because of your unwanted presence.”




“Okay Justin, I’m going…”




“Mr Taylor.” I clip out, then scowl as one more I fuck up my escape!




“Mr Kinney sent me over with the cloth.” The waitress smiles, I take it quickly. She turns to Kip, her expression darkening. “He said the bill is for you, since you made him spill it.” He takes it in stunned silence, she waits for him to pay. “Thank you. Have a good day…that way.”




“Goodbye Mr Thomas.” I prompt marvelling at what Brian just did.


 


“I’ll most likely be in the meeting with Michael, so see you later.” He declares airily before striding to the door. When he gets there, he pauses. “Bye, Brian!” 




“Bye, Tiny Thomas!” Brian shouts back, leaving him red faced, then me in fits when he opens the door on himself.




I turn back to Brian’s picture. “Such an effect you have on men.” He drawls as he places a mug down. “It’s a hot chocolate. Supposed to be a speciality of the house. Given that unpleasant experience, I think you could do with it.”




“Thanks for getting rid of him, he’s like a barnacle sometimes!” 




“Just sometimes?” Brian smirks; he sips his coffee then nods at the mug. “You going to have the sprinkles on that too?” I dip my finger in the bowl and sigh. “Not good?” He frowns.




“Very good.” I moan, dipping again. “Oh yes, you’ve made me so very happy. Haven’t had something this good on my tongue in years.” I focus on making sure the chocolate is completely covered.. 




“A knave and a scoundrel would challenge that innocent remark.”  




“Huh?” I stop stirring. “What? There’s nothing...oh. Well, thank you for not doing that.” I bluster, actually kicking myself.




“Hmm.” He tilts his mug. “Wanna finish?”




“Do you have time?” I fish in my bag for more pencils. 




“Sure. Let me put something back a bit.” He pulls out a slightly battered phone and starts texting, pausing to look at me then the picture. “How much?”




“You can have it for free.”




“I know, that’s why I want to buy it. Name your price.” He states, his gaze unwavering and challenging..




“Fine. Three grand.” He texts some more. “Did you hear me? I said three grand.”




He nods, then settles back into his model position. “Continue.” I pick up my pencil and begin again. After twenty minutes, he clears his throat. “Do you have a jacket? Or an umbrella?”




“Why?” I ask, shading his upper lip. 




“It’s raining.”




I sigh. “I love the rain. As a kid, I used to jump in muddy puddles. And…”




“Very Peppa Pig.” He chuckles softly, but I sense he’s not teasing me, the expression on his face is too soft...this is a good memory.




“Wind through leaves…your laughter just then, sounded like wind through leaves, there’s a word for it, but…”




“Psithurism, and you’re a pluviophile. A person….” He gestures to the waitress. “...who loves the rain. Want another?””




“Knew the first, learned the second. And yes, thank you.”




BACK BOOTH - JUST OVER AN HOUR LATER




BRIAN




I’m stretching my back out whilst watching the door. I take my eyes off it for one second, but the voice gets my attention. “Justin! How are you?” Novotny shouts as he enters. Justin doesn’t respond, and continues to read. Novotny strides to the table and drops his umbrella, causing Justin to jump. “I said hello.”




“I was listening to a podcast!” Justin snaps as he removes his earphones. “So I didn't hear you.”




“Sorry, I didn’t…”




“They have umbrella bags.” He states, using the napkin to push it onto the seat next to him. I smirk at the cockblock.  His grimace when he sits opposite then Justin cleans the seat turns to shock when he sees me. “You’re late...Michael, you’re late. But since you’re alone, that’s just about forgivable.” His sigh of annoyance resonates. “Look, if you want to deal with whatever’s got you distracted, let’s reschedule.”




“No, no, sorry, just thought it was someone I recognised.” His smile is as false as his modesty. “I’m all yours. Justin? Are you okay?”




I sit up as the reason for the slightly stunned silence from the other patrons waves. Michael turns and stands. “Uh, Drew! What on earth are…”




“Hi, Michael. How are you doing?” Drew Boyd asks without breaking his stride. “Brian Kinney, you look well!” I wince at the bear hug. “This is cool. How’d you come by it?”




“I used to live around here, have a place still.” I check my watch. “We’ve got time for a coffee, or do you want to go to mine? I’ve got it on good authority that the hot chocolate is one of the best things ever to hit a tongue.” I roll my lips in at Justin’s spluttering. 




“And you’d know all about the tongue, wouldn't you, Kinney?” Drew chuckles. Novotny is going all colours of the rainbow, and here comes Ted!




TED




I’ve not been here before. As I recognise some of the patrons from The Dome, I hope I never come back again. I can’t seem to see Brian, so am about to walk back to Emmett, when he comes in behind me. “Back booth, Mr Schmidt!” I frown at his loudness. “Brian and friend are waiting. Can you also give him this? Later, Theodorable, I’ll tell Ben you won’t be long!”




I make my way towards Brian, shaking my ear, envelope in hand, then almost faint when I see who the ‘friend’ is. “B...Boyd, Drew Boyd.” I stammer.




“Nice to meet you, Theodorable, was that what Emmett called you? How do you know those rapscallions?”




“Ted.” Brian whispers. “Shake his hand now!” I do so. “We met a few weeks ago, he’s the guy I was telling you about.” Telling Drew Boyd about?! “If you’re serious about wanting  better help to finesse your biography, he's the man. The things he can do with your prose. I’ll be delighted to host your launch party in my new club, if you want, give it the platform it deserves.”




“Okay, sure. What have you written? Anything I would know? I would have to speak to my publicist first though, he’d have to okay it I suppose.”




MICHAEL




I suppose! Fucking suppose! Of course I have to be okay with whatever the hell that is! If only I was closer! “I’m sorry, Justin, I just need to call Kip, so…”




He stiffens, then sighs. “Why does he need to be here?” I frown. “Saw him this morning, and he was unnecessarily intrusive.”




“He never mentioned that. Wonder why?” I put my phone away then take a steadying sip of coffee. I need to get out of this conversation and into that one that Brian and Drew are having, and with that limp-dick noodle! “Reason for meeting is because of the revisions you want to the contract.”




“And your decision is?”




“I agree to most of them, but the discretionary clause is non-negotiable.” I smile. “None of my clients have a problem with it, and…”




“I’m not going to join the clothes in my closet for whatever reason you want me to.” He clips out, gathering his things. “Remove it or we have no deal. And I’m surprised that you put that in, considering your enthusiastic ogling of my ass.” I almost drop my cup. “As a matter of interest, why don’t you just say you’re bi?” 




“Bi? I’m not bi!” I’m so insulted that he thinks that my act with Lindsay is real! “I’m straight, and happily so!” 




“Why does it seem to bother you that your clients aren’t then? What happens outside of your professional relationship, as long as it's within the confines of the law, is not your business. Unless it is your dick in my mouth, then what I do with mine is none of your concern. You have no right to impose that on anyone but you and your wife.”




BRIAN




Whoa, that was hot! Time to step it up a gear!




MICHAEL




Great! Just great! If I don’t get him to sign, Lindsay will never let me forget it. He’s a brilliant talent, according to her, and what she wants, as she keeps harping on, she gets! “Perhaps it can be moderated to…”




“Removed.” Justin repeats, staring to pack. “Whilst you give that some thought, I’ll be giving other PR companies a call.” He rests his chin in his hand and looks down his nose at me, reminding me of Lindsay at her most obnoxiously annoying! “And another thing…”




“I have your money. Sorry for the delay. May I have my masterpiece?” Brian interrupts.




Masterpiece? Money? What is this about? Why is Drew still speaking with Ted, of all people???




“Hi, Brian, how are you? Long time no see.” I grin, holding out my hand.




“We know each other?” Brian frowns, putting his hands in his pockets. “I’m not sure you and I…”




“We went to school together.” I drop mine, fuming at his dismissiveness. 




“You two are the same age?” Justin regards us. “So that would make you?” He looks at me.




“We’re 35.” I return.




“You’re 35, I’m 34, you were a year above me remember?” Brian smarms. 




“Just the one?” Justin snickers. “Honestly, as I said before you can have it for free. It was a pleasure to do you.”




“And as I said, I pay for services rendered. We agreed on an amount. Please count it.” Brian puts down an envelope, then picks up the pad. “I won’t take it until you confirm that it’s all there.” 




JUSTIN




Opening it, I can see that there’s more than what we ‘shook on’. The questions are how much more and why? I count it...twice. “There’s four grand here, we agreed...“ 




“Three, I know. I would’ve paid five.”




I count off a grand and put it back in the envelope. “You can take the picture and this…”




“It’s the tip. You take tips, don’t you?” I can't believe this is happening. I’m not short of money by any means, but four grand?!  “As well as that, which I shall be pissed if you don’t keep, I have another one for you. Never undersell yourself. Do you have a card?”




“I do, but I’ve only got a couple left. Why?” 




“I’d like you to do a portrait for me, and maybe a mural, yeah a mural would be good. Here’s my card, put your details on there.” He takes out his picture before pausing at one near the front. “Is this finished?” I shake my head. “So we can negotiate a price for this one too? Can I put a reserve on it to keep you from selling it?”




“A...um yeah. And you have, I can use the tip…”




“No you can’t. That was for the portrait. This is a new commission. Will you be here for much longer? I can get another $500.”




BRIAN




Michael’s veins are pulsating all over his face. I’ve almost got him, one more push should do it. “Justin, how long will you be here?”




“I was going now actually.” 




Lightbulb!




“Oh, in that case, come with me. My place is just down the road. I can introduce you to my friend, Drew Boyd, who I know would love for you to capture his essence for his book.”




“Book?” They both echo.




“Yeah, he’s doing his biography; well, with the help of my friend, Ted Schmidt. Drew’s going to provide the words, Ted’s going to unmangle them. Drew said he tried to get his publicist’s ghost writer to do the first draft; when he got it back he thought he’d been sent the wrong draft it was so bad. He was surprised that the guy was hired by him, considering his reputation as an author himself.” I slowly turn to Michael. “Oh, wait, I do remember you now. Sorry. Congratulations on your book, are you writing the sequel?” 




“Thank you, Brian. Yes, I was surprised how well it did. Why would I write a sequel? I’ve got the…”




“Why wouldn’t you?” Justin gapes at him. “The ending was perfectly set up for it.”




“Well, um, I’ve been busy with the business, and…”




“I look forward to reading it when you do.” I smile before picking up Justin’s bag. He looks uncertain. “Michael can vouch for my good character. After all, his is irreproachable, isn’t it?”




“Yes, on both counts.” Michael grits out.




“Excellent.” I help Justin into his jacket. “But how about this? You can meet Michael back here in say, 15 minutes? You’ll wait for him, won’t you?” Michael nods and I lead Justin out.




DINER - FORTY FIVE MINUTES LATER




MICHAEL




I’ve had about four mugs of tea and still no sign of Justin. I regret moving to his side of the booth to watch the street as I’ve now got a coffee stain on my trousers. I’m about to ring him when Lindsay returns my call. “Where the hell have you been?!” I snap. “Spare me the long story, we have problems! Let me ring you back, Justin’s here!” I cut off her clamouring and plaster on a smile as he sits down looking a little stunned. “How’d it go? All sorted?”




“Yes, thanks.” He replies.




“You know, if I was your agent and publicist, I would’ve negotiated a much higher price than what he paid you? Which was what in the end?”




“None of your business. How do you reckon you’d have done?” He queries, twisting a napkin.




“Well, I would’ve gotten the five for the first picture; although would’ve aimed for seven.”




“I don’t think you’d have gotten that. I was going to give it away, so I’m very happy right now.” 




“I’d feel better if I dropped you off. We can share a cab. I’d hate for you to be walking around with all that cash on you.” 




“I don’t have it on me. He took it back…”




“That dirtbag!” I declare, partly in relief at the fuck up. “Give me his card, I’ll…”




“He thought the same as you, about the cash I mean. He paid it into my bank account instead.” 




Of course he fucking did!




“Well, I’m going. Thanks for waiting. Let me know about the clause.”




“Of course. Before you go, about the portrait that Brian mentioned, and a mural I think he said...”




“What about it?” He pauses. “The contract I have with Brian shouldn’t impact anything I may sign with you.” 




“You...you signed a contract?” I stammer.




“Yes, that’s what took the time. He insisted.” I recognise that smile; it's the same one that the jock had when he accepted Brian for who he was! “If I sign with you, I suppose you can look at the timetable, as that may impact any work you might get for me.” He looks out the window and snorts. “Pluviophile.”




“That's disgusting! I could sue you!” He looks taken aback. “Why are you calling me a paedophile?!”




“Pluviophile not that!”




“Oh sorry. I misheard you above all of this clatter and chatter. What’s that then?”




He looks at me oddly. “Your memory is going. It’s the chapter title of the great scene in your book. I know it’s been a while since it was published, but how can you forget that amount of hotness?!” He pulls out his umbrella, and with a shake of his head is gone.


 


I slump back in the seat, then dial Lindsay. “We need to meet immediately. Why? Because we have at least three problems. Justin wants to remove the morality clause before he signs. But that’s easily sorted out, we can swap the contracts over like we did for everyone else. But Drew was in the diner and meeting Brian Kinney and Ted Schmidt! Where is that girlfriend of his? The deal is that she’s supposed to be with him at all times in public! But the most pressing problem seems to be the book, yes that book! We need to reread it, apparently it’s set up for a sequel. Oh, and call Kip in the meantime; double check that he’s taking those writing classes like he said he was and why he never mentioned seeing Justin earlier!”



End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks.

He Wants to do what and Knows Who by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 4 - HE WANTS TO DO WHAT AND KNOWS WHO!


BABYLON - TWO HOURS LATER


BRIAN


This has been an excellent and interesting day. As I open the door the first thing that hits me is the smell of paint and varnish. “Emmett!” I call out, getting a muffled response, followed by the swift tapping of feet. “Where can I step?!”


“Not on the dance floor!” He calls from the balcony. “Walk around; how’d it go?”


“Great! But before I tell you about that, I need to call him. You know how he gets.” I take the stairs two at the time to my office. As I open the door I grin as he’s on screen already but doing something at the desk. “Hey.” I call out. He leans back with a smile. “Have you been good?”


“Yes, Daddy dear, I’ve been good!” I cock an eyebrow; he does the same. His smile widening as he approaches the screen with a paper, it has an A+ on it. “See!”


“Excellent.” He beams as only my Sonny Boy can.


“So, do you want to speak to me, or...” He grins as a lusty cry rings out; he doesn’t move, just stands there smiling. “...so how’s the trip going? Renovations sorted, guest list finessed to perfection?” I’m trying not to twitch; he folds himself into the beanbag, it creaks under his wiggling, another cry. “Well now that I’m comfy, you can begin.”


“Gus.”


“Dad, or should that be Gamps.”


“She’s crying…”

 

“To quote: that’s what babies do, you just need to differentiate between a cry for attention or a cry for…”

 

“Gus Marcus Kinney, do you want to differentiate between getting my granddaughter or extra classes for the summer?” He’s out so fast he almost leaves his shadow behind. Emmett guffaws from the doorway. He knows it’s an idle threat but Gus doesn’t! He hands me a perfectly chilled Ciroc, then kisses my cheek. “What for?”


“That.” He nods at the screen. “Most Dads would’ve freaked out when he came to you at just 15 and said, 'you know I said I want to be a dad like you, um well surprise!' You just said don’t fuck up either school or her, especially her.”


“I’d be hypocritical if I bollocked him, wouldn’t I? After...aww, there’s my Pheebs! Hello, darling.”


“Gamp!” Pheebs grins sleepily and rubs her eyes whilst resting her head on his shoulder. 


“Have you spoken to Mom yet?” I roll my eyes, he grins. “So that would be a no! Why do you try to do this to her?” He laughs, adjusting Pheebs. 

 

“Because one day I'll succeed. I’m nothing if not persistent.” I laugh getting closer to the screen to check something. “What’s that?” I peer at the spot on the side of her head.


“A piece of cookie. She’s as perfect as the day you left New York. You’ll see her in a few hours…so where is it?”


“What?” I sit back down.


“Aunt Ems, is the plane at least at the airport? It’s not picking us up from the back garden again, is it?” 


“What do you think?” He chuckles. 


“Dad! You promised!” He glares.


“I promised I would, not when! You should’ve been specific.” 


“Dad. Please. I’ve got to do it by myself sometime.” Although he’s sighing, he’s smiling sweetly. “What am I going to do with you?”


“Indulge my protective side. She’s my first. I promised to be more relaxed with my second or third…”


“No you won’t. You’ll be just as bad.” He smirks after kissing Pheebs’s head. “Where are we staying? With Mom or at Britin? Can I at least get a cab there?” 


“Gus, no, the car will take you to Britin, we’ll meet you there around six. Will she still be up?”


“Yeah, most likely, she’s missed her Gamp cuddles.” 


“That's my cue?” Emmett grins as I nod. “Will see you gorgeous ones later, lots to tell!”


“Okay, I’m going to get this Bubble packed up. Call Mom, you know she will get pissed then smug. I’m sure she’s got a scorecard somewhere...”


“Fine. I’ll…”


“Now.” He orders firmly. Sighing, I reach for my phone. “Conference us.” I wait for the call to connect. “Hey, Mom!”


“What time do you land, and where is your father?”

 

“Be at Britin for six; where’d you think he is? His new baby is opening soon remember? So he’s in the...” 

 

“Pitts. Brian, I just knew you were too quiet! Wait a second, let me put you on screen so you can show me the progress!” Her laughter fills the room as I take them down to the club. “I am waiting to receive my gold pass, asshole!” 


“You’re supposed to be setting an example to our son, Mel.” I tease her. “What do you think of the lights though? Still not sure about them, bit too…”


“Disco ball?” Mel grimaces. “Maybe a chandelier - I saw something, give me a second.” I whistle when the picture comes through. “Perfect, no?”



“Freaking awesome, can you order six, no seven? I want one for my office.”


“Yep. Now,  you, go be fabulous, and Gus, have a safe flight. Love you three.”


“Love you too.” We reply, then I clear my throat. “So that's one Mom down, you called the other.”


He grins like a Cheshire Cat. “Of course I have! We’re hoping for babysitting tomorrow, during the day...around lunch, gotta meet the Bro!”


“As if you have to fucking ask. See you later, Sonny Boy.”


“Later, Dad. Say buh-bye to Gamp, Pheebs!”


“Bbb-bud, Gamp!”

 

I am still staring at the blank screen five minutes later. The door knocking brings me out of my Pheebs fog. “Ems! Don’t tell me you’ve left your keys!” I tease as I open it.

 

“Um, no.” I’m displeased to see Kip Thomas outside. “Hi.”


“Why the hell are you here?” I demand, stepping out, making him step backwards. 


“I thought we could get to know each other better.” He smiles.


I head towards my car; he follows me so I stop. “What do you want?” 


“Plainly? To sleep with you. I know you want to sleep with me, that was all show earlier. I get that, you’re a man who has to be cautious, and…” He stops when I get close to him; he looks ‘sexily’ up at me. “...so what do you say?”


“I say that you need to pay attention to what your potential client says…”


“What’s that?” He husks.


“You don’t have a chance with him.” We both turn at Justin’s voice, his hips move like a pendulum as he saunters towards us. “Been waiting long, Brian?” He leans against my car, then sits on the hood. “Once more, you’ve interrupted our private appointment. This is a habit, where I’m concerned…”


“We are concerned.” I interject. 


“That you must break. I’ll be inside.” We watch him walk away. 


“Can that be any clearer?” I growl. “If not, then this guy…” I beckon the guard over. “...will bounce you down the street to get you gone.”


KIP


“Alright, there’s no need to be so grabby!” I yelp as he drags me out of the parking lot almost dislocating my shoulder in the process.


“And stay gone!” Brian bellows.


As he strides away, I ache with longing. There is no way I’m not sleeping with him. This man is going to be mine!

 

JUSTIN

 

I check out the bar whilst I wait; I could murder a drink and Kip Thomas. “Thank you!” Brian calls out as he enters. “So why are you here?” 


“Can I have a drink please?” He gets behind the bar with a slight frown. “Anything, just make it strong.” He hands me a glass of something, when I knock It back it doesn’t burn. “Very smooth, what is that?”


“Jim Beam. Want another, and what’s the matter?”


“Please.” I sit down, then take in the place. “Fuck me, this is gorgeous!” 


“Thank you. Problem?” He prompts as he pours two glasses. 


“Right. Yeah, so, um, have you heard of the...of course you have. Well, you know Michael’s book? Didn’t you think it odd that he wasn’t doing a sequel?”


“Yeah, but then again I don’t recall him being a follow through kinda guy.” 


“But it was so successful and for him to not know pluviophile. Then what he said to whoever he was talking to as well…”


“What did he say?” He sits next to me putting a bowl of nuts between us.


“That they had to read the book again, and something about Kip going to classes. Why would you need to read a book you wrote? I loved that book, which is one of the reasons I was glad he approached me. I hoped, but now I don’t even think he wrote it.” 


“I’m a little lost in your rambling. What did you hope?”

 

I crunch the nuts, they are delicious, he smiles as I take another handful. “I’m sorry, I hoped to write the sequel to it with him. Yeah, I can paint, but writing is my passion. I’ve got pages...I’m beginning to feel cheated!”

 

“Let me see if I understand this. You want…”


“Wanted.” I retort. “Sorry, continue.”


“Accepted. Wanted to co-author the sequel to We are One Too? And you were going to agree to be represented by him, then ask to write it with him, obviously with the morality clause removed.”


“The morality...oh, get you, bat ears!” He takes the jibe with a smile. “Yeah, that was my plan, but…”


“Pages? You said pages, how many pages?” 


“About forty of them.” I blush as I’ve never told anybody about my love of writing; through fear of judgement, but he looks pleased, not sure why. “And he said something about the contract too, but I didn't quite catch it.” Then I frown. “How did Kip know where to find you?”


“I’m not sure. And that worries…” My phone interrupts him, and I groan. “...Michael?”


“No, but I’m a fucking forgetful idiot!” I reread the text. “Shit! I shouldn’t have drunk that... them. I’ve got to take my sister to meet her boyfriend. Shit! She’s going to be pissed, she’s not seen him for a month. Hang on a second.” I pace whilst waiting for her to pick up. “Hey, Daph! Look, I’ve had a couple of drinks. I totally forgot I was taking you to go see your Boo. Let me call a cab for you. What’s the address…”


BRIAN


My bat ears engage when I hear her voice. “Justin. Justin!” I call out, he looks aggrieved at the interruption. “Can you put her on speaker please?”


“Uh, hang on, someone needs to talk to you. Okay, she’s on. Want to tell us why you want to speak to her?”


“Hi Daphne.”

 

“Gamps, how...why are you with Justin?”

 


“We met today. What a small world.”


“Yeah. Um…”


“He should be at Britin for six, I’ll send a car to take you there, okay?”


“Okay. One of you will explain when I see you next, which I’m figuring will be you, Gamps?”


“Yep. That will be tomorrow now. Justin and I have another meeting to go to.”


“Okay, see you then, and Justin, you owe me both lunch and dinner!” Daphne declares before hanging up.


“You’re Gamps?!” He looks incredulous. “Hang on, what meeting?”


“You want to write the sequel to that book. How about you meet the person that actually wrote it?”


“I knew it! Okay, who's that?”


“Ted.” His jaw drops. “Come on, I’ll explain on the way back to the loft.”


THE LOFT - THREE HOURS LATER


KITCHEN 


JUSTIN

 

Ted! Ted wrote my favourite book in the whole wide world? But now I’m nervously watching him and Ben read quietly, so quietly it’s unsettling. “Some liquid courage.” Brian nudges me, and I gratefully take it. “And thank you, for what you did for Daph. Thank you.”

 

I take a deep sip. It pushes down the tears or rage and hurt on her behalf. “I don’t know how she did it so young.” He shifts a bit. “Want to know how I know her?” He nods. “They moved in when she was 3. She was about 12 when they got sick, she looked after them until their deaths.” 


He breathes deep. “Don’t think me cruel, but I’m glad there wasn’t…”


“A gap? Yeah, me too, and that it was quick. Mum brought them a welcome to the neighbourhood cake when they arrived. The rest of the neighbourhood took a while to warm up; but the way they rallied around her, just goes to show how I kinda misjudged them. Tomorrow should be interesting, I’m going to be...oh my God! 


“What?” 


“I’m going to be meeting Boo...I mean Gus for the first time at lunch! He’s your...” 


“Yep. So tell me, Jaybay, how many times have you met Pheebs?” I’m just gaping at him as he takes out his phone. “Nice to put a name to the face. this was her two days ago.”


 

 

“Of course, and judging by that smile, I’m going to be giving you something else?”


“What?” I frown, again with the nudging; Ted is walking towards us, smiling with Ben.


“A writing contract. Let me call Mel, she can sort it for you both and Ted. Find your NDA, and…”


“Teach that fucker how we treat liars!” I declare.

 

“Fuckers.” Ted asserts, we all look confused. “One of the reasons I didn’t fight so hard was because of how he and Lindsay butchered it; making it acceptable to the ‘straight market’. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but what I originally wrote was better.”

“Jaybay...she says my name...I met her a couple of times. Oh my God, she’s grown so much! Can you send me that?”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.

Two Ideas...One Good, One Bad and Help from the Past by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 5 - TWO IDEAS...ONE GOOD, ONE BAD AND HELP FROM THE PAST


OUTSIDE THE DOME - EARLY EVENING


BRIAN


Okay, I know I was a bit jaded, and surprised to see Michael, the night we came, but come on; this is what he thinks is competition?! I’m not even open yet and I’ve already got a waiting list for the first night. 


“We meet again! How fortu...” Kip slithers up; seems he needs to ‘meet’ the rougher side of my tongue! 


“We did not meet. You stalked.”


“Come now, there’s no need to be shy in front of everyone, you can…”


“Normally this level of persistence would piss off my patience!” I smile. He comes closer grinning. “This needs to be rewarded. Want to know what I'm going to do to you?”


“What? The anticipation is killing me…” He drools.

 

“I’m going to...fist you with a restraining order if I see, hear or smell you near me again!”

 

“Kip!” The bellowing voice makes me smile. “As if you would have a chance with him! Now if you spent more time attending writing classes than punching above your weight, I wouldn’t have to have replaced you. Has Michael told you already or not?” Drew demands.


“I…” 


“Leaving?” Drew, stepping closer, has him backtracking. “But I would watch where you’re going and not the men that are out of your league!”


“You’re going to regret this!” He hisses before about facing and crashing into a beer carrying young man, causing him to drop them.


“Look what you’ve done! You need to buy them back!”


“Fuck off!” Kip spits, looking at the man scornfully. “How are  you going to make me?!” 


“He isn’t, I am!” A breeze block snarls and grabs Kip’s shoulder. “The bar is over here, get your wallet out!” 


We snigger as Kip’s whines and pleas fade into the crowd. “What are you doing here?” I ask, still surveying The Dome.


“Had a meeting with Michael; officially dissolved the writing partnership, going to have to sign another contract with that removed…”


“Would you mind if I had a friend look at your current and the soon to be new contract?” I query, remembering what Justin said.


“No, but why would they need to? He said it’s the standard one everyone signs. Give me some credit, I did a bit of digging, and they’ve got no complaints. Although they do them on a monthly basis for the first six months before signing a year long one.”

 

“Monthly?” I look at my watch and wonder if she’s up. “Come with me, I’ve got something you need to hear.”


THE LOFT - EARLY MORNING


MEL


I’ve got to admit, whoever did these has been very clever. To the untrained eye, the contracts look the same, but with each new contract some words are artfully amended until they are wrapped in an ironclad contract that costs them more to get out of than it does to leave. The morality clause especially is very subtle. I look up at the cough and lift the papers from my lap.


He's stretched out in seconds. “Am bushwhacked. Can he get out of it?”


“Absolutely. Whatever called him out of the meeting saved his bacon. Did he say what it was?”


“No...” He yawns. “...he’s got a meeting with Ted later."


“Brian, get some sleep; you’ve got to have your energy for Pheebs. Gus said that the moment she heard that she was seeing you, she ran straight to bed!” 


“She did? Great. Did Daphne tell you about what Justin and his family did for her?”


“Yes. He’s…”


“Beautiful, talented and kind.” He murmurs as his eyes close. 


I wait a few minutes for his breathing to level out; being careful so as not to wake him, I send a text to Gus. Chuckling quietly when I get the reply, I rest my hand on his chest and continue to read.


RAGE PR INC - LATE AFTERNOON


MICHAEL’S OFFICE


KIP


Michael is starting to smile. “Well, that’s great, Kip, you’ve redeemed yourself a bit, but you still need to tell me why you didn’t go to the class?” He puts my phone face down and starts scowling. “Well?”


“I don’t need them…”


“Well, Drew thought otherwise. I’ve had to remove that clause from the contract, but…”


“The next one should be the one that binds him to us, right?”


“There is no us.” Lindsay snipes, picking up my phone. “It is Michael and me that run this. You are not a partner.” She stares at the screen for a few long minutes. “Are you sure this is what you two think this is?”


“What else could it be?” I steam, whilst thinking that it explains so much.


“He just doesn’t look like he’s... ” She whines.


“...a chickenhawk? Of course he is Lindz! Look at the way he’s holding the child!” Michael sneers. I smile and think of how that asswipe is going to explain this away! “Get this out on the usual website within the next ten minutes!” He slides my phone back to me. “Well done, and don’t worry about Drew. I’ve got something that will get him away from Kinney and lameass Ted in no time flat!”

 

“Thanks, Michael.” I grin at Lindsay, she scowls and waves me away like a bad smell. Once I’m out of her majesty’s snotty presence, I fist pump and relish the crap that’s going to befall Kinney and Boyd.

 

BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


GUS


I smile as Pheebs tightens her grip on Dad’s hair. 


“Phoebe, let go!” Emmett orders whilst trying to help Dad get free. Her bottom lip wobbles, Emmett is unmoved. “Naughty corner?” Lip stops wobbling and ‘tears’ retreat’. “Thought not. Say sorry.” He demands.


“Sorry.” She looks between Dad and Emmett. “Sorry both.” 


“Better. Now kisses.” She gives them both big smackers before resting her head on Dad’s shoulder. “So, how was lunch?” 


“How was the date?” I counter, and he colours up.


“Date?” Dad smirks. “Who was it with?”


He flaps away the question. “It was not a date. It was just two, well actually three, people meeting up for coffee.”


“Who two?” Dad prompts.


“Drew and Sienna.” He shakes his head. “Oh how she was so made up. It's coffee, not Breakfast at Tiffany’s!” He gripes. “Can’t see why he’s with her; never has a woman been so fame hungry…”


“He’s gay.” Dad states both our jaws drop; he looks puzzled. “How did you not know this, Emt?”


“I don’t know him like you do! How do you know, and have you ever?!”


“He made a drunken pass at me, told him he has to be out and sober. No I haven’t and that won’t change. Said during his pass that he wished I wasn’t so masculine, but my height and smile are perfect…” He closes Ems’s mouth with a smirk. “...asked about my suit, said you dress me.”


“Brian, why on earth did you say that?! You dress you!” He demands.


“Emmett!” Dad grumbles, putting Pheebs down so he can give him a shake. “Are you with me now?”


“Not really.” He frowns. 


“Oy vey!” Mom sighs as she comes in; Pheebs beams and runs to her. “Hello, darling one; how good have you been for Gamps?”


“Um…” She looks cow eyed back at Ems, whose eyebrows go up. Whilst Dad is weak in the face of her cuteness, he and Mom are not. “...no, Gams.”


“What did you do?” Once she puts her down she gets on her level.


“Hair.” She confesses; her little chest starts to heave, eyes filled with genuine tears. Dad is not the only one that is weak. I’m desperate to stop whatever is coming. “Said sorry.”


“Five minutes in silence.” Mom orders. With a sigh, she heads to the corner and faces the wall. “So he likes them tall but genteel, does he?” 


“When did you find that out?!” I can’t believe it, but then again I can. He’s such a doll, a gent, and like Dad, won’t be anybody’s secret. 


“He hasn’t said anything. However, whilst he was listening to Ted, he was watching you.” He smiles as Ems again colours up. “I’ve told him it’s a deal breaker, hence the party.” Slowly, Ems sits down as he takes this on board. “He’s either out or you don’t go ‘in’”


“Brian!” Ems springs up, his hands on both cheeks. “You didn’t?!”


“Didn’t what?” Mom and I both ask. Whatever it is, Mom gets it first and grins. “Well I never.”


“Never what?” I look between the three of them. 


“Versatile, but only for the right guy.” Mom explains. “Just like your Dad.”


“Mel!” They both exclaim; I don’t know who I’m shocked by more. I’ve always thought they were one way and one way only. 


Before we can say anything more, Ben rushes in. He looks furious. “Look at this!” He hands them his phone. 

 

I look over Dad’s shoulder and seethe. “Who the hell took this?!”

 

“I don’t know; I don’t think I could recognise the guy if I saw him again!” Daphne comes in, her face twisted in rage. “I thought it was odd when he shielded his face as he passed the table. Then he was skulking by the bathrooms. I had to get him to move when I was coming back after I finished changing Pheebs.”


“Chickenhawk?!” Ben explodes pacing. 


“Right, everyone calm down!” Mom orders. “First, find out where this website got it, then we go from…” 


“What did he look like, Daph, can you remember anything at all?” I plead.


“Kinda creepy, dark hair, had a really smug look. Medium build. Clothes looked okay; think, Daphne think, what else?!” She balls her fists in frustration. 


“Okay, now where do we go?” Mom asks, before gasping. “Oh, Pheebs!” In all of the melee we had forgotten about her time out. Her little shoulders are shaking as she tries not to show she’s crying. “Come here, sweet one.” Mom calls gently. Once she’s scooped up, we’re silent as she mutters soothing words and gives her kisses. “Grams made a boo-boo. I should’ve put the tick-tock on. Sorry, darling.”


“Ted! We’re in here!” Ben calls when a voice calls out hello.


“Who’s Ted?” I ask as a guy comes that melts the scowl off of Ben’s face. 


“He’s my new friend. A very good friend, who I hope…”


“Oh, what’s wrong, pumpkin?” He wipes the tears off of Pheebs’s face. “May I?”


“She’s not very good with…” I begin, but Pheebs reaches for him. “...normally not good with strangers.”


“My name is Ted.”


“Like my teddy, Mr Ted?” She blinks up at him.


“Yes, like that. Where’s Mr Ted?” He asks.


“My room. Wanna see?” She beams at him; at his nod she wiggles down and rushes to get him.


“Great with kids too. Perfect.” Ben smiles. “But whilst she’s searching, trust me she will be a while as she hides him somewhere where the monsters can’t get him. What do we do about this scurrilous picture?”


“Is that why we hightailed it over to this palace?” Ted asks, looking around in awe. “It’s gorgeous, feels real homely, even though it’s massive.”


“Thanks. Oh, by the way, this is Daphne, and he’s my son, Gus, the parents of the pumpkin, Pheebs.”


“Wow. How old are you both?” He warmly shakes our hands. 


“I’m almost 19 and she’s 17. I followed in Dad’s footsteps. This is my Mom, Mel, and…”


Daph’s phone rings. “I’ll get rid of this and go get Pheebs!” Ten minutes later, she returns and both my beautiful girls are smiling. “Dad, you need to order some Chinese…”


“Okay, are you guys staying?” Dad asks Ben and Ted, who both nod. “So that’s eight, shall we just get the usual banquet?”


“Nine, and yes.” Daph hands Pheebs to him. “That was Justin. He’s on his way.”


“Justin? Why?” Mom questions as Pheebs waves Mr Ted at Ted. “I can’t believe how well she’s taken to you. Only a few get to touch Mr Ted.”


“He missed seeing Pheebs yesterday because of his headache, he’s better now. And…”

 

Dad’s phone rings. He steps away to answer it. “Hang on, Boyd, calm down. Where are you? Okay, stay put, don’t answer the phone to anyone, I’m going to send a car.” He scowls. “Some shit has hit the fan, wouldn't say what, but is panicking. Daph, what’s Justin’s address, so I can send the car for him too.”

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY'S HOME - AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL’S STUDY


LINDSAY


I want to scream at his lackadaisical attitude towards Kip’s methods. “I still say we should double check first.”


“No, I’m right on this. I always knew there was something off about him. And this is it!” He crows. “It’s been…”


“Michael, are you sure you’re not allowing your jealousy to cloud your judgement? You don’t normally send things out like this without triple checking first, especially if we’ve not set it up!”


“I’m not jealous of Kinney!”


“You are…” A voice booms. When Michael’s face falls, I make mine ‘sad’. “...and you have been since school. What’s this about?”


“Uncle Vic, how did you get in?” Michael grouses.


“The front door. Have a key, remember?”


“I thought you left that when you said you no longer wanted to see me?” 


“I did leave that. This is your mother’s, who’s just coming. Also I don’t want to see you, hence me looking at Lindsay. It’s that time of the month again!”


“What’s this bullshit?!” Debs strides in, waving her iPad furiously. “Can you find out who put this crap about?!” 


“What crap?” Vic manages to grab it and his jaw drops. “Chickenhawk? Brian Kinney? That’s not bullshit, it’s fucking bullshit. He’s no more chickenhawk than you are!”


“Lindsay, you didn’t tell me that they were coming so soon.” Michael grinds out.


“This is why I came in, but you didn’t give me a chance.” I reply sweetly. 


“Oh, no staunch defence of your former school friend?” Uncle Vic mutters, but Michael doesn’t hear him. 


Debs snatches the iPad back. “Well, are you going to do something about it?”


“What do you mean, Mother? If you mean that…” He gestures at the pad. “...there’s nothing I can do. Unless Kinney reaches out to me to salvage his reputation.” He gets up. “Now I’ve got plans. You guys make yourself comfortable. Let me know how much the stipend is first thing, then you can be on your way. No need for you to stay any longer than for the transfer to go through.”


“You’re the one that insists we come here to collect it. I’d happily not be in your company.”


“Good, be up nice and early then!” He snaps before striding out. 

 

I quickly follow. No, I don’t like Michael, however, he serves a very rich purpose. And whilst I love that they treat him with the disdain and disgust he deserves, I don’t like them either!

 

BRITIN - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


DREW


“Let me get this straight, oh the irony.” Brian sighs. “You paid off a guy who you fooled around with, you’ve not heard from him for ages, and he’s popped up again threatening to go to the press, unless you pay him off again? Remember that credit you asked for earlier? How did you not foresee this happening?”


“Alright alright. I’ve told Michael about it; he said to pay him. But given what he’s threatening, it might not be a good idea for me to be seen around your club, and…”


“Dad, seriously, just go public with us.” Gus insists whilst Daphne nods. They are so damned adorable; Pheebs, who is currently on Justin’s knee making a face at him, is gorgeous.


“No, Gus, we agreed not until you are 20.” Mel declares. “No arguing. We will figure a way around this.”


“Excuse me a second.” Ted frowns. “You told Michael about this guy?”


“Yeah, he wants to meet me later to…”


“Jesus fucking Christ! He’s just too lazy to come up with his own idea!” Ted fumes, then breathes deep. “I apologise for my language, perhaps it would be best if…”


“You two take her up.” Brian asserts. “If we can’t figure a way out for me and Drew, then we might think about it. Big might!” He waits for the door to shut behind them. “No matter what the circumstances, don’t ever swear in front of her again, got it?”


“Yes, I’ve got it. I sincerely apologise.” Ted responds, holding out his hand. With a smile, Brian takes it. “Good, now back to this. Let me guess; after you paid the guy off, you couldn’t get a PR firm to represent you.” I nod. “Yeah, Wertschafter did this, hawked the person he wanted from afar, spotted the weakness, in your case you being closeted, set you up, said ‘enough’ to put other PR firms off - not directly of course - then boom, in comes ‘Flynn’ to your ‘rescue’. And the moment you look like you’re bailing, not toeing the line…”


“Your ghost comes back to haunt you!” Justin explodes. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he set you up too, Brian!”


“Kip!” I exclaim. “Has to be him!” 


“Hold on!” Emmett runs to the door; oh he’s got a nice butt! “Daph! Can you come down please?!” 


“So you’re going to tell them who he and we are?” She asks.


“Not yet, can you remember anything at all about the guy? What he was wearing, anything?”


“No. Sorry. He had his back to, the phone was in front of his face and…” She slowly inhales then smiles. “...he was wearing a ring! I would recognise that anywhere!”


“Oh for God sake!” Justin explodes. “One drink and now he’s stalking me!” He throws his phone across the room, I catch it before it hits Emmett who is by the cart with his back to us. “Shit! Sorry, Emmett, well caught, Drew! I am never fucking going there again! The drinks were weak and the pickings mediocre! I’m getting another headache from his constant calling!” 


“Where did you go?” I ask as I hand him his phone.


“The Dome. I…” He glares as it rings again, but this time I freeze. “...what’s wrong?”


“Him.” I whisper.


“Who him?” Brian frowns looking at the screen. “Actually, he’s not that bad.”


“No, that’s him. The guy I paid off.” 

 

We all gather around and Ted gasps. “And he’s Michael’s sometime fuckbuddy, Jerome!”

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY'S HOME - AN HOUR LATER


VIC’S ROOM


VIC


I stare at the ceiling then the door when it knocks. Smiling, I shuffle along so Debs can lie next to me. “He’s upgraded I see.” 


“One day your sniping is going to get us cut off.” She grumbles.


“If you said killed, that would be more likely!” I scoff. “Michael loves the control he has over people. He thinks that we rely on him for our very being!”


“True.” She laughs before taking her iPad up again. “Just wish he would help Brian though.”


“Why?” I frown.


“He’s always been a good and honest boy, remember him from school. When he came out it was the talk!” She laughs. “Wonder why the picture was taken though?” 


“Huh?”


“These kinds of sites are notorious for going after big people. So what’s he been up to since he left school?”


“Let’s find out, shall we?” Digging out my iPad, another gift from my nephew, we start checking up on him. Fifteen minutes later, we’re stunned. “Well that explains the ‘reputation’ remark.” She looks perplexed. “He said, Brian had a reputation, him being a billionaire is it.” Before she can comment, the doorbell rings; we wait for Lindsay to answer, but it rings again. “Shall we open it?”


“Might be important.” She declares, and I follow her downstairs; but when we do, nobody’s there. “Hello!” Debs calls out and a courier makes his way back to us. “Can we help you?”


“Yeah, could you take this for me?” He waves a slightly battered package. “It’s for Michael Novotny.”


“Sure, do you need me to sign for it?” She asks, and his shoulders slump.


“Damn it, the pad is in my car...a fifteen minute walk back. First day woes!” 


“This your last delivery?” I query, he nods. “Just scribble something down and the time, we’ll hand it over. You can trust us, we’re his aunt and uncle. Can get you some ID.”


“You will?! If I can see something that would be great!” I dash to the room and grab my ID, his smile widens as he checks it then hands it over. “Good night and thanks again!”


As I shut the door, Debs heads to Michael’s study with it. “Doors locked. I’ll just leave it on the side table.” Her toss misses and the package busts open. Sighing, she gathers them up. “Vic come look at this!” I stare at the papers and photos. “Why would Michael need this stuff on Brian?”


“I don’t know.” I frown. “Do you think Brian would remember you?”


“Maybe, why?”


“Because we know Michael and how he operates. Look at what he did to Ted. How do you think he’d try and manipulate a guy with unlimited funds…” I spot something and my anger mounts. “...guess who this is from?”


“No idea.” She says continuing to flick through them.


“The same creepy site that posted that photo!”


“Why the hell is he living like this?!” She cries pacing. “For sure, let’s try and get in touch with Brian. Get your phone, let’s take photos of this lot and leave...what’s so funny?!”


“We don’t need to take photos, we’ll just give him everything!”


“How can we do that?! You signed for it, so that asshole will come calling for it!” I turn the ID to her; she starts to laugh. “You old hoarder you!”


“Said it would come in handy one day! What do you think the chances are that he’s going to remember my old fake ID?” I chuckle, helping to clear away any evidence. “That got me into many a club and ass in the Basque region!”


“Iva Oilar Handia!” She cackles. “Christ, how drunk were we when we came up with that?!”


“Very! Although it’s true. I do have a big cock!”

 

“Come on, Mr Big Dick, let’s go teach that asshole a lesson!”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx

Memories...From Last Night and A Saviour From School by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 6 - MEMORIES...FROM LAST NIGHT AND A SAVIOUR FROM SCHOOL


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - NEXT MORNING


STUDY


MICHAEL


I rub my eyes hard. This morning has been terrible, although a slight improvement on the horrific night! The courier didn’t come, and my calls aren’t being returned. This followed me not being able to get it up for Jerome. I blamed it on stress and being drunk, which he understood, although I’m not sure, as this is not the first time it’s happened! 


The only glimmers of hope are the decimation of Kinney’s life and the bringing to heel of Boyd. Jerome went to his house last night, well that’s where he said he was when he called him. Oh, how I enjoyed the panic in his voice during that call! The use of my PR skills will soon get Justin out of Kinney’s orbit. After all, who wants to be associated with a chickenhawk, no matter how rich and good looking? Although something Ma, or was it Uncle Vic, said may have merit. I might just reach out to him to see what I can do to help matters. But how do I do that? We didn’t exactly part on good terms, either at school or in the diner.


“Michael, is everything okay?” Why Kip is here? My mind is still a little foggy. “You okay?” On hearing sounds of life from upstairs, I realise he needs to be gone! “So the package is…”


“I’ll bring it to the office. I want to check it over first.” I take his elbow and pull him to the side door before Ma or Uncle Vic can see him and blab to Lindsay about me having company; they know about her rule about nobody but family in our home! “See you there.” He’s out before he can say another word.


“Hi, Michael, where are you?!” Lindsay calls as she comes through the front. “Did you have a nice time last night? Who was that?” She nods at the still closing door.


“I was checking for the courier, he’s late.” I state whilst trying to figure out when and how he came to be here!


“That’s unusual.” She frowns sitting opposite me. “I’ll call them. Sometimes it just needs a woman’s touch.” I’m about to be witty about her womanliness when Uncle Vic and Ma come in. I can target my rage at them instead. They’ll accept it quietly until the check clears. “I suggest you go deal with your family business; leave this with me.”


Nodding, I head to the lounge, ready to unleash my annoyance. “Which leech am I making the check out to this time?”


“The leeches...” Uncle Vic returns, I look up, expecting a scornful look, but there’s the acceptance of their fate my money buys. “... need it by bank transfer please.”


“Why? That’s not what we normally do.”


“We want to pay for the renovations to our home in Spain; a check will take too long to clear.” Ma replies. I scowl at them. “What’s wrong? You knew we were renovating.” 


“Yes, I did. I would rather do a check. Why don’t I just pay the renovators directly instead.”

“Because we’ve got the arrangement with them; you’d have to be credit checked etc.; it would take too long. Obviously, we’d stay until both you and it clears. Why do you want to do that anyway, are you trying to keep tabs on us?”


“Of course not!” I exclaim, which for once is true. Their lives are so mundane it would bore me to sleep. “So whose bank account?”


“The one for our household bills, here’s the details.” Uncle Vic smirks as he hands them to me; gritting my teeth I make the payment. Whilst their lives are mundane, their spending habits are not. I’m not sure where they’ve got their financial acumen from, but because of it and my stipend, they’ve managed to build up enough to have that three bed in Barcelona, which, despite my subtle and heavy hinting, they’ve not invited me to. “That’s gone through. So we will be seeing you.”


“Where are you going?” I frown.


“You told us to get up early and leave first thing, so bye.” I watch them swagger out, arm in arm, feeling aggrieved that I still can't remember why Kip was here. I’m still watching them from the window when Lindsey's tapping gets my attention. “Well, what do they have to say for themselves?”


“Adjust your tone, and, maybe after coffee, I’ll tell you!” She snaps, slamming her way back out. 


KITCHEN - FIVE MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


I chuckle to myself, knowing exactly what else ails him today, he’s gone on ad-nauseous about how he satisfies Jerome; little does he know that, apart from financially, he doesn't; so he's relieved when he can’t rise to the occasion. And twice last night he couldn’t!


Something by the back gate catches my eye, thinking it’s the courier I open the window, but it’s not them. It's Kip. I ponder what he’s doing here and how he found our address; he’s no threat, it's just I value my privacy. I’m about to call out to him when Michael opens the side door. Figuring he’ll deal with him, I go to close the window...


“What are you doing back?! Lindsey's here, you know how she gets!”


“Yeah, but I was careful to wait until the Old Stink was inside first!” He sneers, Michael snickers. “I left my phone, think it’s on the sofa.” He disappears and is quickly back with it. Drat! I had seen it and thought it looked familiar! “Thanks for letting me sleep here; hope last night was alright? Any news on the courier?”


“Last night? What about…oh, that, yeah that was fine. Not yet, she’s called them. But as usual, her society ass is in a knot about my tone. I’m majorly hungover, have already had to handle family shit, so dealing with a crabby Miss Manners is not on my radar!” He leans against the door jamb, looking sickly. Kip steps back. “It’s okay, not gonna puke. Can you please call them urgently? Ask to be put through to Leon, use those exact words, then on and my date of birth, okay?” 


He nods. “Your date of birth? Why, and what is it?” I bite back a laugh at the peeved expression on Michael’s face. 


“We’ve worked together for so long, how do you not know it?”


“I’m a Jehovah’s Witness, we don’t celebrate them.” He replies.


“Oh, I didn’t know that. Learn something new. Anyway, it’s 29 February, 1971. As for why, just do it. And give my name when they ask.” Kip nods, then with a squeeze to his arm hurries away.


I watch Michael slowly close the door, looking very confused. So whatever happened last night with him, he doesn't remember. I shall find out, and Miss Manners Old Stink will make sure they regret it!


KIP’S CAR - TEN MINUTES LATER 


KIP


I wait to be connected to the website company and think back to last night. He’s a terrible kisser, all slobber and grabby, but it happened, and when he pisses me off, I shall show him the video to, as he says, bring him into line. 


“Yes, hello, need to be put through to Leon on 29 February, 1971.” I listen to some thrash metal for hold music, which is doing nothing for my headache; this is not because of booze, but the racket a drunk snoring Michael was making at the other end of the sofa. A very comfortable sofa, I must admit. They've made a lot of moolah being the people they are. 


“Yeah, this is Michael, had a rough night. Listen, my wife called earlier, as the courier didn't show up. Oh, you’ve not called her back, well don't, just tell me.” I raise my eyebrows and know he’s going to be furious. “Well that’s your bad luck, isn’t it?!” I’m about to tell him to send another set; thereby solving the problem, when he reminds me of their usual practice. “So what do you suggest we do now?! He’s obviously going to go to ground and be on his guard! Return my money. Yes, I’m serious, I want it all back!” I snark, ending the call. I  breathe deep, then call him; he takes a while to pick up. 


“Michael, the courier guy’s car got broken into, all packages are gone…” I let him go on for a bit. “…as a matter of interest, why don’t they just send you the originals instead of destroying them at their end? Ah, that's what he used to do, was it? No, no reason. Well, actually it does seem an unnecessary step.” I smile as he thanks me for my astute observation and wonders why Old Stink hadn’t thought of that. I let him go take his sleeping pill so he doesn’t have to deal with her and a hangover. I drive off, happy that it will be a nice surprise for him when he gets his money back!


BRITIN - LATE AFTERNOON


BRIAN


This morning has been both confusing and discombobulating! Confusing because of the email I got via our website from Vic Grassi, of all people, but my discombobulation is not because last night Justin and Drew ended up staying. It’s what happened when Drew strutted by, now he’s feeling a bit of relief, and a fuckton - as Gus put it - of anger, that it was Michael that set him up; I felt absolutely nothing.


It’s Justin, well my reaction to Justin thats causing consternation. Considering the mutual appreciation we have for each other, whilst my cock is very interested in me leaping on his bones; last night when we were talking my brain joined the party and told my cock to shut up and wait! I’ve never waited for anything or anybody! Now he’s padding, half asleep, towards the bathroom. He mumbles a greeting. I take advantage of his sleepiness to observe the way he walks; his butt jiggle is mesmerising.


“Watch your direction, not his.” Mel’s amusement startles me as does being outside her bedroom! “Yes, I’m free, Brian! Come on in!” I frown, she nods down the hallway. Justin had stopped to check his phone, he blinks up at us, rubs his eyes, then disappears from view. “I don’t think he noticed.” She grins, standing aside. I wait for her to stop sniggering. “Coffee?” 


“Please. So what do you think of the email?”


“Ah-ah-ah, we’re going to discuss the lack of panthering on your part. First, let’s talk about Boyd. I understand, despite outward showing, that you’re a softheart, and you love Ems too much.” I remain tightlipped. “I know what you did. You wanted Boyd when he came onto you, but you overheard Ems drooling, so backed off, right? And have been bigging up Ems ever since?” I grin sheepishly. “Awww! Now Justin, this is an interesting move on your part, or lack thereof. He’s gotten under you, mentally, he’s gotten under you. I heard you two last night. I will reign in their enthusiasm to see you as happy as they are…”


“Oh God! Please do, at least they listen to you!” I grumble; before we grin at the softheartedness of the pair of them.


“So this email from Vic.” She sips her coffee. “I want to come with you when you go and meet him. You’re going to, right?”


“Yeah, and good, was gonna ask for back up.” I pause at the singing coming from the next room. “Ted’s got a beautiful voice. He left a recording for him last night…” My eyebrows do a happy dance. “...you know how much Ben likes opera.” 


“And you know how loud he gets.” She declares, draining her cup. “Before he starts beating his drum, we beat a retreat!” 


I nod, then pause. “What about Drew and Justin?”


“Ems has got Drew handled, I’m sure. I’ll sort out Justin.”


“Why you?”


“Because he looks utterly gorgeous when sleep rumpled. I won’t be bothered going to get him, knowing that he, being a society boy and not a boy scout. Will not have been prepared to be here overnight; chances are he’ll be going commando...” I shrug nonchalantly. “...think of kissing me or you’re going to take an eye out with that!”


My embarrassment and desire sets me on fire. I leave with as much dignity as I can at the guffawing truth of her words.


THE DINER - TWO HOURS LATER


OFFICE


VIC


The disapproval is writ large across his face. “Shall we start by introducing ourselves to your fr…”


“Attorney, Melanie Marcus, this is Victor Grassi and Deborah Novotny.”


My chuckling raises an eyebrow. “Not lost the ability to make an introduction feel like a kick in the balls.”


“Not gained the ability to hold your nephew and son accountable.”


“Brian, they came to us, be a nice shark.” Melanie chides him. “I’m sure you can…”


“He’s right, we should’ve stopped his behaviour a long time ago.” Debs interrupts. “We were very selfish. You see, Melanie, at home he was unrelenting, there was no escape. It was easier to give in, but after what he did to Ted, we’re here to help. And have only just found a way how to.”


“And that is? And please call me Melanie.” She smiles. He rolls his eyes.


“He looks like you.” Debs smiles. “The chicken, he’s the spitting image of…” He and Mel exchange looks. “...oh, both of you? Is that why you dropped out?” Again they look at each other, he shakes his head. When the hurt flickers across Debs’s face, I squeeze her hand. 


I clear my throat to bring his focus onto me. “Here, this came last night whilst he was out. Debs was all set to leave it in his study when it broke open. It's a file on you.” I slide it across the table. Mel takes it whilst his jaw ticks. “I asked him when the photo came out if he could help you. He said no, unless you reached out to him…” 


“I wouldn’t.” He clips out as he reads. “There’s nothing, apart from those photos, that aren’t public knowledge.” He stands. “I’m not putting our son in the public eye. I would rather be seen as a rich chickenhawk than do that!”


“May we bring in someone that might persuade you that our actions are honourable?” Debs asks. He sits down. “Go get him.” 


BRIAN


I take this opportunity to regard her. She looks exactly as I remember - just nervous and unsure. It is taking everything not to give her a bear hug, but until Mel’s not-yet-grip is off my knee, I can’t. As the door opens, Vic is trailed by a younger man. When they sit next to each other, it hits me who it is.


“Curtis, it is you, right?!” He nods, extending his hand, I shake it. “You’re looking so well! Sorry, this is Mel, he’s the jock I told you about from school. I don’t understand how you can help me with this problem.”


“I always wished I had your bravery and honesty.” He smiles.


“About?” Mel prompts as she puts the file in her briefcase. 


“Being gay. It took him a while, but he’s out and about now.” Debs beams. “And can attest that you’re not like that without bringing your son into it.”


“How? And I’d rather hear from him, please.” 


“By outing an actual chickenhawk.” He replies, taking Vic’s hand. “It’s been 17 years now, the longest 4 years ever was waiting for me to be 21.”


“Right out of school?!” Mel gasps. “How did you two meet?”


“Me!” Debs laughs. “He was struggling with his attraction to you, so he came to me. Took one look at Vic and you were forgotten.”


“Well fuck me!” I declare.


“I’m glad he didn’t or I wouldn’t have stood a chance!” Vic snickers before sobering. “We’re serious, he can out me to save you. We can go to the website people, and…”


“Why?” Mel’s grip is loosening.


“We’re emigrating to Florence…” Debs explains as Vic’s phone goes. “...he thinks we’ve got a place in Spain, so when that hits, he’ll be too busy trying to...”


“Get as far away from Drew Boyd as possible!” Vic exclaims. 


“Why, what’s he done?” Mel queries, gripping my knee again.


“Come out. And declared himself off the market because he’s dating a Mr Brian Kinney.”

 

End Notes:

Please by kind and constructive, if reviewing, thanks.

More Manners and She Wonders by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 7 - MORE MANNERS AND SHE WONDERS 


BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


KITCHEN


BEN


“He’s going to ground you for the rest of your life!” I growl at an unrepentant Gus and Daphne. 


“That’s okay, we love living with Dad!” Gus declares. “I don’t see the problem. It saves his reputation and gets Drew out from under that Janus-faced jackass!” 


“Janus-faced?” I frown.


“Janus was the Roman God of Beginnings and Transitions in mythology. He had two faces: one looking to the past, the other to the future.” Ted explains, whilst helping Pheebs dip the cookie in the chocolate. 


So, Ted is not only so adorably hot, smart, and can sing. He makes perfect scrambled eggs, and Pheebs approved chocolate dipped strawberry and chocolate chip cookies!


“I see. But you know your Dad doesn't like his private life being scrutinised; by doing this, you’ve opened him up to that.” 


“No we’ve not.” Gus asserts. “Because there’s part two to this!”


“Want to explain how part one came about?” Brian stalks in, looking thunderous, but it's Mel’s expression that makes Daphne quail. “And you will be apologising to Ems right now!”


“To say the least!” Ems declares from Brian’s phone. “You waited until I was gone! And the person that needs to apologise is Daphne!” 


“Daphne?!” I gasp, but it’s Ted’s smile that has me scowling. “Ted, did you know what was happening?”


“No, and I resent that question!” He returns my fiery glare. “I was smiling, if that was why it was asked, because I think I know what part two of the plan is.”


“Mr Teddy, the chocolate.” Pheebs tugs his sleeve whilst I feel like a twit.


“Sorry, Pheebs.” He smiles down at her. “Mr Teddy needs to step out for a second or two. He will be right back and we finish the cookies, okay?”


“Okay, Mr Teddy, promises to hurry?”


“I promises.” He kisses her cheek then walks towards Brian. “Could I prevail upon your service to drop me off at Liberty Avenue after I’ve finished with Pheebs?”


“Please don’t go, Mr Teddy!” Ems begs. “It's his default, Ben I mean. He cheated on him!” Married for seven years, wasn’t faithful; ironically before they got married he was.” 


“Ems!” I groan.


“You’re not letting him walk!” He bellows. “Nobody is to move an inch or speak before I get there. Have Drew with me, and we’re five minutes away!”


FIVE MINUTES LATER


LOUNGE


BEN


“Now, Brian, you are peeved, which I get, but it’s genius now that I’ve calmed down from the duplicity.” Ems looks over his shoulder. “Eyes to the wall!” He orders Gus; his head droops as he obeys. “Oh, for heavens to murgatroyd, come out and sit down!” 


“Thank you, Emsy!” He kisses his cheek before side eyeing Brian nervously. “It was both of us to be fair. I was spitballing and suddenly Daph squealed and the idea was born. Drew was still here and he knew it would work.” 


“Wait, where were you two?” Ted frowns; I sigh as he’s still not looked at me since the great revelation. “Pheebs, can you please give Uncle Ben this cookie, it’s got extra strawberries?”


“It does? Cans I has it instead?” She pleads.


“No, Pumpkin, this is especially for him.” She makes her way over to me. I take it and carefully wrap it in a napkin and put it to one side. “I take it, it needs milk and privacy?”


“Yes.” I smile in relief. “I’ll tell you everything later.” 


“Great, that’s great. Meanwhile, back to the primary issue.” Mel declares. “We went to meet Novotny’s Mother and Uncle, plus the boyfriend of the Uncle. They gave us this.” Ems takes it and tucks it under his arm. “Isn’t it time for her bath?” She looks pointedly at Gus and Daph. “And your bedtime?”


“Yes ma’am!” Daph declares, and despite her vigorous objections, Pheebs is taken upstairs and the door firmly shut. 


Quietly, we pour over the contents. “They just wanted to give you this, that’s it? That's very kind of them, I guess.”


“Well, that and he offered to out himself as a chickenhawk.” Mel grins. “And I think he still might.”


“But why?” Drew frowns. “Me dating Brian negates that need.”


“They're emigrating, so he wants to do this.” Brian helps himself to a cookie. “They also wanted me to give their numbers to you, Ted. Said they wanted to apologise to you face to face too. Do you want them?”


“Yes. Um, question, what happened to Justin?” 


“Oh crap!” Brian and Mel exclaim and rush out; we catch up with them at the closed attic door. “Do you think he’s okay?” Mel whispers.


“One way to find out.” He opens the door quietly, then looks appalled. “What is that noise? It can’t be him snoring; he sounds like he's playing drums with a wrecking ball!”


“Thanks!” A sleepy voice grumbles before his head appears over the balcony. “I’m hungry. And it’s not that bad. Can I be fed?”


“Since you asked so nicely.” Brian scowls, starting to shepherd us out. 


“Wait, Brian, I’ve had an idea!” Justin calls down. “Give me a few.”


“Sure, but check the trash sites in the meantime!” Brian returns.


“Will do. And make me a hot chocolate with sprinkles, if you’ve got such a thing!”


“I’ve got a toddler in the house; of course I’ve got such a thing!” Brian carps back.


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


KITCHEN


EMS


“For someone hanging, you sure are a drink of fine!” I beam as Justin finally comes in, but Brian is bristling at his earlier surliness. He slams down the mugs and bangs the cupboard shut, which is making Justin wince - good, he had no right to be rude! “So, Justin, what’s your idea?”


“Drew’s already done it.” He replies, only pouting slightly. “So has Michael been in touch? Did I miss anything else?” I explain what Vic wants to do. Whilst he’s listening, he’s watching Brian making the chocolate. “But, maybe we can ramp up the pressure on him. Hey! Where’s the sprinkles?!”


The pot of cream doesn’t spill as it’s banged down; the angry breath as he turns off the stove silences the room. “Everyone except Justin, go to the lounge, please.”


JUSTIN


In seconds it’s just the two of us. “You’ve been banging about on purpose!”


“You’ve spoken enough. Be quiet and listen.” He slowly turns. “I don’t care that you’re tired, hungry or hungover. You’re a beautiful and smart man, get your manners to match! Understand that you will not speak to me that way anytime, anywhere, ever; especially in my home.”


“As you can see, I get cranky when I’m tired, hungover and hungry, which doesn’t excuse my behaviour, for which I sincerely apologise.” He nods his acceptance, then slowly starts to smirk. Sighing, I swallow down my brat-attack. “May I have my chocolate, please?” 


“Yes, but no sprinkles.” He turns the stove back on. I fold my arms, cheeks flaming. “Ted made strawberry and chocolate chip cookies, you can have one of them instead.”


“And this is where?” Me almost sounding feral makes him snort. “Please!”


“Lounge. I’ll bring this.”


Although I’m embarrassed at him laughing at me, it sounds so hot, but not as hot as him being mad at me made me feel.


MICHAEL AND LINDSAY'S HOUSE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


“MICHAEL, WAKE UP!” I shake and scream at him at the same time.


With a groan, he opens one eye. “Not now, whatever the hell it is can wait!”


“Drew Boyd has come out!” I snarl, throwing his phone at him, which he sadly doesn’t catch with his face. “Says he is dating Brian Kinney!”


“What the hell?!” He yells, snatching it from the bed before taking on a cadaverous hue. “We’re screwed!” He turns it to me. 


“You think? I told you that this would happen one day, didn’t I?! So how do we fix this?! I can't believe Boyd is out and claims he’s dating Brian Kinney!” I stop railing, as for the first time in forever, he looks worried. 


He gets out of bed looking like he’s going to faint. “Boyd can wait, this needs fixing fast! I need to go and see them, you call Kip and ask him exactly what he said to them!”


“Michael, why is that more important than Boyd?!” 


He sinks down before running to the bathroom; I grimace as he throws up. By the time I come back with water, he's getting dressed but not looking any better. “Have you called Kip?”


“No. Drink.” I order coldly. “You call Kip; I’ll call the website company.”


He slams the glass down. “All our numbers have been blocked. For once, can you just do as I ask?!”


“Why? Who’s blocked us?!”


“Leon. He texted me to say I’m on his shitlist until I apologise for my behaviour yesterday.” I clasp my hands tightly. “I was hungover! I assumed that he couldn’t fuck up a simple phone call!”


It’s on the tip of my tongue to mention Kip’s earlier presence, however, something about his fear keeps me quiet. “What does he have, and who is it on?!”


“What do you mean?” He demands; now he's defensive.


“Fine, play it your way, but I’m not leaving this room until we’re off the shitlist your laziness and stupidity got us onto!” 


Before he can speak, his phone rings. “Michael Novotny speaking. Leon, how - yes, just a minute.”


“Mrs Novotny, can you hear me?”


“Yes I can. I apologise on behalf of Michael and his messenger yesterday.”


“Messenger? So that wasn’t you speaking to me like that?” He sneers.


Michael scrubs his face, scowling at me. I return it. “No, no, it wasn’t. That was my assistant. I asked him to call you because I wasn’t feeling well.”


“So, you got mullered in your midden last night? Why not call me when you were feeling better; instead of giving my number to a person I don’t know?”


“I didn’t think.” Michael whimpers.


“That’s obvious. So when am I getting it back?!” 


“Leon, as you’ve said, this was not his finest hour; but can you tell us exactly what it is you want back? We’ve been trying to get hold of his soon to be ex assistant to no avail.”


“The money. His assistant demanded he got everything back.” Michael grips the chair. “And I mean everything.”


“Yes, yes, you will get it back, every penny.”


“Plus 17.5% interest for the inconvenience and hurt feelings.” His chuckle makes my skin crawl. “I expect it in the next ten minutes.”


STUDY - TWO MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


“How much have we paid him?” Lindsay demands as I logon to the bank account. 


“Lindsay, not now, okay? Let me just sort this out.” She stands beside me. “I really don’t need you looking over my shoulder!”


“Why not? It's from the business account, correct? I can logon and check, but this saves me the bother.” Bracing myself for her reaction, I open the account; she gasps and grabs the mouse. “We’ve paid him that much?!”


“He’s the best.” I retort. “And that’s over the entirety of his association with me.” I point out. 


“Us! And that’s $2 million!”


“It costs a lot to keep our hands clean!” I snarl,  trying to take the mouse back off her. However, not only does she move away, she takes the laptop with her. “What are you doing?! We need to pay this back, he’s the best!” 


She shakes her head. “No. We end this business arrangement. How did it even start?!”


“Family business.” I grouse, clicking my fingers for the laptop. She curls her lip and tucks it under her arm. “Lindsay, do you really think that we have the skillset, let alone the time to do that ourselves?!” 


“Suppose not.” She concedes, starting to release her possession; then she pauses. “But do we need him anymore?”


“What do you mean?” I keep my tone level.


“Well, with the clients and our reputation; why not cut his losses and put that money to better use?” I nod and smile. “Well then, I’ll take this and move the money to our joint account after my bath. A soak is called for!” 


She sweeps out, leaving me dumbstruck and furious. 


BRITIN - THREE HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


JUSTIN


Brian and I are friends again, helped by my repeated apology and ordering of chicken and waffles. Okay, I had help from Pheebs to persuade him that we all needed this, but now it's arrived, we’re digging in. 


“That isn’t mine, is it?!” Brian looks like he’s going to have an attack of the vapours.


“Yes, but we can share if you want.” I offer, mentally crossing my fingers. He regards me coolly. “What?”


“I see your game. No, thank you, I shall face this alone.”


“Told ya that wouldn’t work!” Daph guffaws as she cuts up the waffle for Pheebs.


“So, what’s the 2nd part?” Brian moves his plate away from my inching-towards-it fork. “I’ve only just forgiven you, want to be on the naughty list again?” I smile and lick my lips. “I see. Good to know.”


“Ahem. Young impressionable children present!” Gus teases. “So yeah, the 2nd part, threaten to out him instead.”


“Michael? We’ve no proof.” I sigh.


“No, not him. That’s perfect!” Drew exclaims. “And we’ve got the perfect bait to get him into our web!”


“What and who?” I frown.


“Jerome and you.” Brian leans across and kisses Gus’s cheek.


“Jerome?! That creep! Why would I want to - oh!” I kiss Gus’s other cheek. “So what do I say?”


MICHAEL AND LINDSAY'S HOME - FORTY MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY'S BEDROOM


LINDSAY


He’s gone out, finally! I sip my wine as I wait for the account to load. Not the business account we were looking at earlier; oh no, I’m checking Michael’s secret account, he thinks I don’t know about. And, as I suspected, despite what we agreed less than an hour ago, he’s repaid the money to Leon. So what does he have on Michael that got him to do that?







Cookies: https://www.bakerita.com/chocolate-dipped-strawberry-chocolate-chip-cookies/

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx

Balloons and a Blast from Their Past by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 8 - BALLOONS AND A BLAST FROM THEIR PAST


LOFT - LATE AFTERNOON, NEXT DAY


BEN


I’m so nervous, but both Emmett and Brian have just said to tell him everything, no matter how much it still hurts, this way he can understand when I wobble! I’m staring out of the window when something catches my eye. It's a very large bunch of balloons. I lose sight of them as they pass under the awning, at the same time the timer on the oven goes.


“That is perfect.” I declare, having checked the crust for gaps. Chuckling because I can kick the oven door shut without Brian or Ems shrieking over my thuggish treatment of their appliances, I reach for the wine. As I open and pour, I remember that he doesn't drink! 


“Well that's not impressive at all. You’re supposed to remember things like that. What’s he gonna think?” 


“What about?” He asks from behind the balloons! “Either take them or give me directions!” He orders, chuckling. 


“Come forward two steps, now two to your left, three more forward.” I part them to find his grinning cute face. “First we kiss, then you explain.” He leans forward, his soft strawberry scented lips brush against mine, I sigh, he lets go of them. 


Ten minutes later, yes ten minutes! His cheek is against my chest and I’m licking my lips. “I forgot you don’t drink, so need to go to the store to get some no alcohol beer or wine. We also need to get some more balm, that’s delicious.” 


“Botanicals.” He states, lifting his head. “I brought some with me, and I always carry a spare balm. Want it?”


“Please. So the balloons?” We chuckle as they bob around the room. 


“Figured you could use a distraction whilst telling me about your miscreant mistake. Basket’s in the hall, you grab them.”


“Yes sir, and well figured.” I smile. His kindness settles my nerves a bit. “What is in there then?”


“My side of dinner. Shall I do my romantic history whilst you marshall your thoughts?”


“Please.”


“His name was Blake. I was such a fool, I got blinded by the wrong thing. Sorry, I’m not making sense.” He starts to blush but also looks teary. I take his hand. “Blake was with me from the start, even before the book, he proofread some of it. Once it was published and I got my money, he was a little disappointed that I didn’t get more recognition, but I wasn’t. I didn't like the glitz and the glamour side of things. He was always pushing me to speak to Michael and Lindsay about what he saw as the sidelining of me, but I didn’t. In fact, I defended them against him. Like I said, I was a fool.”


“What did Michael do?” I grit out.


“It was Lindsay. She said that she saw Blake with someone else in a club. I confronted him with it and he denied it, of course, and for a while I believed him, but then came the evidence that was irrefutable and the one thing I would not forgive him for.”


“He cheated on you?” I sigh. “Before you answer that, let’s sit down.” He perches at the far end of the sofa, moving closer when I pat the cushion. “Who was it that he did the dirty on you with? Not Michael surely?”


“No, God no, he disliked Michael from the start, kept on calling him Twinkie, hates him now of course. No, drugs. He used to be on crystal and I got him clean. Swore them off, he said. We were arguing more and more and he was going out, not telling me what he was doing or with whom. I confided my fears to my good friends, who said they thought the same. After all he cheated on you, they said, what else has he done, they said. About two weeks later, they had proof of what he’d done.”  He sighs heavily, I pull him closer. “I showed him the picture, and whilst he didn’t deny it was him, he said he wasn’t doing drugs, he was just there.”


“What?”


“Hmm. I was so skeptical that I kicked him out, only to find out three months later that he had joined a counselling service and was trying to reach out to those in the crack houses and stuff. They trusted him because of who he was.”


“Oh fuck.”


“An understatement.” He sighs. I wipe away the tears. “These are from shame. I should’ve believed him over them, but didn’t. Not seen him since.”


“Well at least your failure wasn’t doing what he was. Mine was called Charlie, who waited until we got married to decide he wanted to run after any ass that he could. I didn’t notice until he tried it on with the two people I thought he never would.” He looks astonished. “I couldn’t believe it either. First, was Emmett, but he played that off as being drunk. Then within an hour he tried Brian, and after he busted him in the gut, Brian told me, followed by Emmett. He was out that night. Never been with anyone since, until you.”


“Jesus. Why did he think they wouldn’t say anything? So as not to hurt you?”


“I guess, never asked. Like I said, out that night.”


We sit in silence for a few minutes before he clears his throat. “For Pheebs, the balloons are for her from her human Mr Teddy, love that she named me after her bear.”


“Oh.” I can’t help the pinch of disappointment. “She’ll be thrilled.”


“This is for you.” I look in his hand and gasp. “I know, isn't it pretty? They said it’s a crystal yoni egg, saw it on a stall up the road. They’re so good for, um actually, I don’t know what they’re good for, but I thought it matched your eyes, and - what’s that look for?”


“I know its purpose, which is to strengthen your pelvic floor.”


He stares at it for a few seconds. “How does it get up there? Isn’t it a little - oh my God, it’s for women?!”


“Yeah!” I hoot harder when he does the yuck-yuck hands and drops it on the sofa in horror.


“I’ll take it back! I’m so sorry!”


“You won’t!” I declare, putting it in my pocket. “I will look at it every time and smile.”


“First, the cum towel, and now women’s sex toys. I promise you, I’m not inept in bed!”


“I look forward to finding that out!” 


“Nor am I a braggart! Can we please start this conversation again from the balloons?!”


“Nope. However, wanna show me your botanicals?” 


TED


I’m relieved that I can stick my face in the freezer whilst I get the ice. I can’t believe I didn’t realise what that was! 


“Come out before you get frostbite!” Ben chuckles from nearer than where I left him.


“Iced strawberry balm.” I jibe back, his lips warm up mine and all embarrassment is forgotten for a while. The slurp as we part makes us giggle, then I look down. “Is that your egg or is the kiss working for you?”


“Definitely working.” He grins. “Let’s do more.” He declares, turning off the oven. We kiss back to the sofa, I stop us from sitting and glance at the bedroom, he looks hopeful and bashful. “This wasn’t the more I meant.”


“But it's the more I want. Fancy a shower first?” I bat my eyes then moan in delight when he tosses me over his shoulder and heads to the bathroom


LEON’S OFFICE - TWO HOURS LATER


LEON


The two tap rap on the door office always makes me smile. He looks keen as he comes in. “Sit down, Teddy, I’ll be there in a bit.” I order, going back to checking my screen. “Finally!” I grumble as the email comes through, as I’ve been waiting for the last three days for this report. I sit back and read about the new people in his life and feel relief, although it’s bittersweet as I’m no longer part of that. “Good, very good, this Benjamin Bruckner sounds very good, very good indeed.” I look at my phone and send Michael to voicemail. He’s called twice and Lindsay three times. They can spit roast for a while.


Teddy nudges my elbow, so I shut down my desk and scoop him up. He sighs happily into my neck. As I shut the door behind us, I kiss his nose. “Yes, sweetie, it’s time to go home, and for me to be Blake again. I’ve waited for years to get my revenge on them. They ruined our lives, soon it will be time for me to ruin theirs. Hopefully, your namesake will understand and this time forgive me.”

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.

Blake's Side of the Story and Ted's Version by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 9 - BLAKE’S SIDE OF THE STORY AND TED’S VERSION


EARLY EVENING 


BLAKE


“He's home, is he?” I smile as Teddy zooms to the door. I pull out the mugs and put the kettle on. 


“Hey, darlings!” He calls before spluttering as Teddy cleans his face. “How was your day, were you a good boy for Daddy?”


“Who are you asking?” I laugh, as they come in. “I shall answer for both of us, most interesting. Yours?”


“Same. How far into dinner had you gotten when I texted you?”


“Not very, they’ll keep. So what did you bring, and why the halt to the habanero chicken with halloumi fries?”


“Indonesian. Now, kisses from my partner, please.” I pull him close, still disbelieving how things have turned out. “Want to plate up whilst I do the tea?” 


“Yes.” I regard him, whatever it is he’s nervous to say it. “Okay go, teasmaid man, spit it out.”


He pauses for a second. “I went to Popperz.” I frown, he smoothes it away. “Scouting mission, as I heard something. Besides, they only know me as clean Leon, not that Leon.”


“True.” I relax a little. “So what did you find out?”


“Not much. It’s more who I saw.” He gauges my reaction. I nod and take dinner to the table. Emptying the bag whilst he gets the plates and Teddy’s bowl for his salmon satay with steamed vegetables. I get that he likes salmon and peanut butter, most dogs do, but the veggie loving is baffling. 


“Michael was there with a few very young looking boys, as was a very unhappy looking Jerome.”


“Oh, for crying out loud!” I shudder.


“I know. I know. But, and it’s a very qualified but, he doesn’t coerce them.”


“He leaves them with a sense of owing him!”


“Remember your breathing exercises!” He orders, gripping my shoulders. “On three, two, one, breathe.” I focus on his count and start to calm down. “Yes, that’s true, but we can’t prove that he’s done or is doing anything wrong. To the outside world, he looks like he’s being altruistic by helping the homeless. Besides, he doesn’t abandon them, does he? Look at Jerome.”


“Piffle!” I declare. He snickers at my manners in front of Teddy. “Yes, let’s look at Jerome, shall we? Who does he use as bait?”


“Willingly.” He asserts.


“The fact remains that when he first met Jerome, he was his charity case, and now he’s nothing more than a courtesan with a manager of the club title!”


LEON


As I can’t deny the truth of that, I nod. “And if he wasn’t feeling any guilt for what he’s doing, why did he pay when your late father hinted that he knew something about him?” Again, indisputable. “How much do you reckon he’s paid him over the years?”


“No clue.” I sigh, as my sense of shame begins to overwhelm me.


“Leon.” His tone is gentle. “That was all you knew. You were a runner for your Dad, and got sucked into the darker side of being a paparazzi pariah. He exposed you to so much at such a young age.” He takes my hand and Teddy, picking up on my mood change, starts to whimper. I ruffle his ears and he relaxes. “No wonder you were in the maelstrom of drink and drugs”


“I know, but I still shudder that I was the kind of guy that helped cause the misery.“


“But we’re fixing it, that’s the important thing. By giving them what they want, then telling the world who wanted it, we fix things, because all those prestigious clients will tear them to pieces.”


“The vultures become prey.” I smile at that.


As he plates up our dinner, I think of when we first met. I was waiting for my mark to come in. He was across the bar, talking to Tony, we sometimes light up together. It looked like an intense conversation, which only one of them seemed to be enjoying. I made my way over to see if he needed help. Due to the noise, I couldn’t hear anything, but when I tapped his shoulder and Blake turned, it gave Tony time to be on his toes. I remember the smugness I felt when I pointed behind him, but he just sighed, mouthed he’d be back, and headed out. 


I thought nothing of it for a few days. Besides, I had a lot to do helping my Dad. It was around when I was 16 that I first met Michael Novotny, not that he’d remember me now anyway, I was dropping off another package to Wertschafer, and he took it off me. He told me to come around the back next time, he doesn’t want this place to look like it lets in the dregs of society, which even then I thought was ironic, considering what they did. 


It was after my first, and most noxious ever, on my own job, that I met Blake again. I needed to rid myself of the stench, and crystal and cognac were my bedfellows of choice. Once more, he was with Tony, but this time he wasn’t looking pissed or like he wanted to be elsewhere, he looked relieved. I remember calling out to him as he got in the car to come with me. I could show him a better time than the prissy boy. When Blake asked if I wanted to come too, I was high enough to go. And that was the first of the best night’s sleep I had and I continue to have. Dad was disgusted, of course, that I was trying to be a better person. He didn’t bat an eye when he found the first piece of crystal, just pointed me in the direction of a better supplier. But for every relapse, Blake was there to pick me up, dust me down so I, which then became we, could start all over again. It took a year, but I finally got clean just as Dad’s health luck ran out. Also, by that time, Rage PR was our only source of income. When Novotny called for something, I was all set to tell him to fuck off as I was going to close down the business when Blake, who by then I was in love with, had the idea to make this one of my amendments in AA. And that’s what we’ve been doing ever since: building the blocks to give the lives back to those we, as in Dad and I, helped harm. 


“Hey, you alright? Do you need to call your sponsor?” I nod. “Go and do that, the food, Teddy and I will be waiting for you when you’re done.”


BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


BRIAN


It’s been very quiet on the Drew front, just not from a Michael perspective, like we knew it would be. I had to reign in Drew’s enthusiasm to go to all media outlets, cautioning him that he doesn’t know who Michael knows, like Jerome for example! To keep him out of mischief, Ems has taken him to New York. I told him to make sure the bedding is changed before he left. He, of course, pish-poshed me, but I saw those bath and massage oils.


The door knocking heralds the arrival of Justin. When I open it, he’s grinning from ear to ear.


“I’ve got three things, guess what they are?” He trills walking past.


“Dinner and a date with Jerome.”


He huffs. “Okay the first two were a bit obvious! But you won’t guess the third!”


“A strap?” He slowly turns. “You might have.”


“If I have a strap, then so do you.” His gaze drops to my crotch. “My question is, are you wearing it now?”


“Guess we’ll never know.” 


“I guess.” He heads to the lounge. “But what I do have is along the same lines!”


“How so? Want a drink?” He nods. “Let’s plate up and then you can tell me.”


TEN MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


I had brought dinner from Poulet Bleu, he said to order big because Gus, Daph and Mel could have leftovers. As I finish decanting, he shakes his head. “Thank goodness nobody is a vegetarian!” I laugh and feel a little proud of my choices. 


“Steak tartare, roast duck, corn risotto and, um, why do we have duck confit and roast duck?”


“That’s for Pheebs, as are the fries.” I explain, ignoring his smirk as I take one. I pfftt at him when he moves both away from me. 


“Any pudding? By which I mean, you had best have ordered double profiteroles, as I actually want to have some. We’re a family of chocoholics.” 


“Where do you put it?!” I tease. “I just have to look at chocolate and it goes straight to my ass!”


“Same area, just my cock.” He replies, chortling as I snort into the wine. “2-1 to me.”


“I have nothing to add!” I concede, whilst plating the tartare. We eat in silence in almost silence, me having to suppress my groans. “Getting that again, it is gorgeous!”


“Definitely” He pulls the platter towards him and starts to carve the roast. I'm slightly distracted by the way he handles the knife. “Can we do legs? Gus and Daph prefer breast.”


“Oh, good! Breast is just so dry, no matter how much you baste it, urgh, just not for me.” We make short work of both the roast and risotto, as one we look at the box for Pheebs. “We must not. Let’s take a break from food and discuss the third. Justin? The third?”


“Hmmm.” I mutter, before being startled by him taking my chin and turning my head. We stare at each other for a few long seconds. “Third?” I repeat.


“You said, you’ve got three, what’s the third and let’s go back to the lounge.”


“Yes, distance from that, a plan.” I follow, grabbing my messenger bag on the way. “So the third is.” I pause and get comfortable. “The book. Ted actually ran off his own copies.” He doesn’t look as impressed as I was. Sighing, I show it to him, he looks less impressed! “Of his version of the book, which he said was better than Michael’s effort.”


“Oh I see!” He grabs it looking mischievous. “Shall we skip to the original saucy bits?”


“Yep!” I laugh, and we settle end to end on the sofa to read.


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Justin and I try not to look at each other. I can feel the sweat trickling down my back as I read. “Oh my goodness.” He whispers, biting his lip. This is not helping. “I can see why this wasn’t in there.”


“Which page are you on?” I sound hoarse, but resist clearing my throat.


“Thirty two.” He returns. “You?”


“Twenty nine.” 


“Where on page twenty nine?” He frowns, flicking back. I hear him swallow. “Oh there.”


“Yea, who’d have thought under all of that somberness beats that beast.” I quip, hoping to ease the simmering sexual tension. I glance up at the silence. Not only has he continued to read, he’s got a shiny nose. “You a little warm there, buddy?” 


“Asks the man that’s been squirming.” He smirks.


“This.” I bridle. “Did not make me squirm. It takes a lot more than that.” 


“Like?” He challenges.


“How bad do you wanna know?” I’ve barely moved the book aside when he’s a hair’s breadth away. “That bad?”


“That good. Now let me kiss you.” 


The book hits the floor, just as our lips touch. He tastes of wine and cognac. Briefly, our noses and teeth bump, but after a slight adjustment, I slide an arm around his waist, his tongue goes deeper. I’m not sure who moaned first, but now that’s the only sound in the room.


JUSTIN


Oh man, I knew he would be good when I first saw him, but he has a surprisingly gentle mouth. I squirm up a little more and snicker. We part, licking our lips. “Definitely not a strap.” I murmur.


“Ditto.” He whispers.


“If you’re going to talk straps, go to your room!” Mel drawls. She folds her arms when neither of us move. “Well, are you going?”


We look at each other, he shakes his head. I smile, but take my time getting off him. “I’ll call you tomorrow, we can talk Jerome date strategy and about the mural.”


“Great, let me walk you out.” 


TWO MINUTES LATER


MEL


He looks thoughtful as he returns, saying nothing as he picks up the book and starts to put things away. “Good night, Mel.”

 

“Night, Brian.” He closes the door behind him, I’m stunned but pleased. He’s fallen,  and, like Ben, fallen hard.

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if revieiwng. Thx

Feelings by MissMerlot

 

 

CHAPTER 10 - FEELINGS

 

THE LOFT - NEXT MORNING

 

BEN

 

Every time we catch each other's eye, we giggle. There's been a lot of that and blushing, especially from his side. For a man who doesn't top that often, he left me more than satisfied. "So what's the plan for today?" I ask, smirking as he shifts slightly.

 

"Catch up on the sleep that I happily missed, and then, well in the evening, I've, well, I've got a dinnerandIdlikeyoutocomewithme."

 

"IsitblacktieandcanIstayatyours?" I raise an eyebrow.

 

"Yes and yes." He grins back. "Shall we go now? That way we can get settled and some food?"

 

"Yes, let me call Brian to let him know."

 

TED'S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER

 

TED

 

I feel a little embarrassed as Ben looks around grinning. "I invested wisely," I murmur.

 

"Ted, this is beautiful. It feels like a mug of Ovaltine, it's so - yeah, I could easily not go out tonight, if I'm honest. The quietness is so welcoming after the noise I'm used to hearing. 

 

"That's one of the reasons I got it. I used to live near Liberty Avenue, first on my own, and then with Blake."

 

"I've been thinking about that. Do you think that maybe you should reach out to him and say sorry? I get the feeling that you're dwelling on that mistake." 

 

"Either you're incredibly perceptive or I'm an easy read!" I return, relieved that this has been brought up. "The anniversary of our breakup is soon, and my guilt makes my anxiety even worse. Do you think it's something Emmett can help me with?"

 

"No, not Emmett. Let me call Gus and Daphne."

 

"Why them?" I frown.

 

"Having gone through all of that with her parents, she knows lots of people in healthcare. If anyone can find him, it will be her."

 

BRIAN AND BEN'S HOME, NEW YORK - SAME TIME

 

LOUNGE

 

EMMETT

 

"There, that's better!" I smile, having put the copies of Ted's books on the shelf and tossed Novotny's on the table. "Did you get them?!" I call out to Drew. He nods as he comes in, eating an apple. "Okay, put them there, we'll make a nice fire."

 

"Thanks, Emmett." He sighs, sitting down. I retake my seat, he starts to tear the pages out. "I would be sounding off right now if it wasn't for you guys."

 

"What about Sienna?" He pauses. "She might, if you pardon the phrase, need to be muzzled."

 

"Oh, I hadn't thought of that. We need to call her before they do."

 

"Good. We're meeting her tomorrow at 1100." I smile, he chuckles. "So, um, did you ever, you know, with her? You'd been with her for a while."

 

"Never. And as for Jerome, I always topped." My eyebrows go up. "Yep, still as pure as the day I was born. I really hope that he gets to Jerome before Michael realises, especially if Kip sees them. He goes to The Dome virtually every night." 

 

"Let me text Brian real quick." I declare. As per usual, his response is immediate.

 

"What did he say?"

 

"He's not the only person with clubs, I've got a gentleman's one in Pittsburgh, so I told them to take him there." I grin as I finally get a reply from Mel, she thinks the same as me, he's in deep smit. "And by they, I mean Brian, Justin, and Jerome." He stops tearing, I wait for him to speak, however, he pulls out his phone. "What's the matter?"

 

"Been thinking about the publishers." He nibbles a nail. "What else have they done? I remember the fanfare when his book came out. I've not been approached by them, not even to see the first draft of what Kip did."

 

"Why odd? He would control their access to you of course."

 

"Hmm maybe." He twirls his phone. "Wonder who else they've published." I give this some thought. "Wouldn't hurt to check, would it?"

 

"No, it wouldn't." I reach for the back cover, and ten minutes later, we're in agreement that it's very strange that the only books to have come from them are his and those of his clients.

 

MICHAEL AND LINDSAY'S HOME - AN HOUR LATER

 

MICHAEL'S STUDY

 

LINDSAY

 

There are times when Michael surprises me, this is one of them. He's admitted that he paid Leon the money back and renewed their agreement. When I asked him why, he said that he felt a sense of loyalty to him. However, when I saw that the money had been taken from the joint account and put back into his, I knew our partnership needed to come to an end.

 

"So you've not heard from Drew?" I repeat.

 

"No, thankfully we still have the last agreement, so that's something."

 

"How is that something? The time to say something would've been when he made that announcement. We've been silent too long!" 

 

"Yeah, maybe, but I've been thinking. We're going to announce his appearance on TV to explain everything." I gape at him. "I know, it's a masterstroke, isn't it?" 

 

"A masterstroke? No, this is absurd!" I seethe. "You seem to have forgotten the little matter of his autobiography, which we no longer have any control over!"

 

"We have control over it! It's us who are going to publish it, just like we published my book, remember?" I shake my head. "How can you have forgotten that?"

 

"We can't use ourselves, you fool!" I snap. He scowls and goes back to typing, I shut his laptop. "Who is going to represent them in the media?! And don't say we'll find someone, this is a more savvy age, people will google!"

 

"Why would they google?" He sneers, reopening his laptop.

 

"Let me see, they oversee the biggest selling love story of the modern age, but since then, nothing."

 

"Who said there's nothing?" His gaze is disparaging. "We've released a few more books since then, or don't you remember those parties and the money coming in?!"

 

"Michael, Michael, and Michael. I said at the time, we needed to keep that profile higher for longer. It's been years. Coming out with the great Drew Boyd autobiography is going to cause a ripple or three."

 

"All of which is good!"

 

"Bad! And when I said we're coming out with the great autobiography, I was being sarcastic, because we won't be able to publish the book. Or have you forgotten the small matter of his boyfriend, Brian Kinney, who you told me is hosting the launch party, so it stands to reason that his boyfriend, Brian Kinney, is going to get him to use another publisher!" He slams his laptop shut. "Finally, we're on, ironically, the same page!"

 

BOMBADIEER'S GENTLEMEN'S CLUB - EVENING

 

JEROME

 

This is so fancy! Now I know why he said to dress up! 

 

"May I get you a beverage?" A waiter asks, handing me the menu. Smiling, I check through their beers. I keep a tight grip on my smile when I see the prices, so order the cheapest one at $16, hoping that we're going to go halves at least! "Excellent choice, Sir."

 

"Jerome, so sorry to have kept you!" Justin smiles as he comes across, looking gorgeous! 

 

"Looking that good, I'll forgive you anything!" I smile. Standing up, I pull him into my arms and kiss him. "Now, come, babe, tell me about your day." I pull him, somewhat reluctantly, I feel, but we can work on that, down next to me. 

 

"It was fine. Busy, but fine." He replies, jumping slightly when I drape my arm around his shoulders. "Yours?" He shifts away slightly, I follow. "Okay, Jerome, this is not the place for PDAs."

 

"I'm a very affectionate man, and I mean extremely tactile" I stroke his lip, his beautiful blue eyes widen. "And judging by that reaction, you don't have a problem with that."

 

"You're a very good-looking man, that's true, however, I'm going to move to that seat and wait for my friend."

 

My smile widens at this unexpected development. "If he's as beautiful, and hopefully gifted, as you, then I can't wait to meet him."

 

"Gifted, what do you mean?"

 

"I like the way you move." I croon, "It's a lyric from Big Boi from Outkast, and my admiration of your dancing skills. You know what they say about dancing both in and out of bed?"

 

"I do." He smiles, it widens upon the approach of a guy I think I recognise. "Jerome, this is Brian, Brian this is Jerome."

 

"Hello, gorgeous!" I purr. 

 

"Hello, Jerome." His voice sounds like hot syrup. "Come, come sit between us." I vault over the table. "So what shall we talk about?"

 

"Anything, anything you want." I'm throbbing in anticipation of the dirty talk to come!

 

"Okay." Justin leans closer. "Let's start with you blackmailing Drew Boyd, and why shouldn't we tell the police that?"

 

The Uncaged Birds Begin to Sing and the Crone Caws by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 11 - THE UNCAGED BIRDS BEGIN TO SING AND THE CRONE CAWS


JEROME


“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I wish my phone was in my pocket, so I could record this. My despair and panic deepen when Brian pockets it.


Justin pulls my face around. “You get it back after we’ve reached an accommodation. Obviously, we can prove your nefarious intentions. Question is, do you want to stay out of jail or be spread over the internet much like you spread your favours? Come on, offer me something.” 


He means information, not you.” Brian adds, making Justin frown. “What? I was making sure he understood.”


“I’d have thought that that was obvious!” Justin blusters. “Do you need proof of our proof?”


“Oh please, could you?” I snark, his grip tightens.


“The last time you two fornicated was in his home. You were wearing a black mesh top with a silver chain with a cross. Are you Catholic? Do you go to confession? You arrived wearing a butt plug and a cock ring.” I start to sweat. “He neither kisses or touches you. Precautions, he said.” He sips his drink. “Need I go on?”


“No!” I groan. “Yes, I took money, which he gave, I didn’t ask for!”


“You’re saying you were an opportunistic hooker?!” Brian scoffs. “So if it wasn’t blackmail, why did you keep contacting him?”


“He wanted a return visit?” I state.


“Hedging your bets or stating a fact?” Justin releases my chin, wiping his fingers with a grimace. “His representatives are this close to persuading him to chatter.”


“So this Brian Kinney isn’t his boyfriend?” 


JUSTIN


This Brian Kinney’s nostrils are flaring with indignation! I shall soothe his ego later.


“Who this Brian Kinney is is irrelevant.” I retort. Jerome nodding almost gets him a slap from Mr Irrelevant, who is taking out his phone. Why?!


“Hey, Mike, how are you?” Brian drawls, smirking. Internally I’m gnashing my teeth. “Yes, we’re speaking to him now. I’m sure we can reach an accommodation. You go and enjoy your evening with your new charge. Where’d you find him? Popperz huh? I thought you were with that manager guy? No longer your jam because he’s too old. Got it.” He leans back looking surprised. Jerome is looking pissed, ah Mr Kinney is a very clever fox! “You’re kidding me, you’re cooking him dinner, that’s a first isn’t it? Okay, you go enjoy, sorry what, oh well that’s not something I needed to know.” He hangs up looking sickened. “I just can’t understand the guy. I don’t get how anyone can overlap his buddies. I’d have problems keeping track. His wife, Linds, is very understanding though, and what with his clubs as well. But back to your questioning Justin, sorry to have interrupted.”


“Wife? That’s his wife!” Jerome hisses before taking a few deep breaths. “Explains a lot.” He looks embarrassed. “Yes, I took the money. Yes, I made a couple of phone calls but only to get a return visit, which he deliciously took out on my ass. That’s not blackmail.”


“Sorry, wait, what? You called him for a return visit?” Brian frowns. 


“Hmm. He’s very good. Him coming out kinda ruined it for me, killed that real quick.”


Brian and I exchange looks, something is definitely not right here. “Excuse me, I just need to make a phone call.” 


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“Find out what you need?” I ask an almost smiling Justin, he nods. “Which was?”


“How much did Drew Boyd pay you and how?”


“Five hundred and in cash.” Jerome fiddles with his glass, a blush dousing his cheeks.


“And where did you two go at it?”


“At his place in Alleghany Shredders, he has a mansion there.” He goes dreamy eyed. “It is so nice, not at all like I thought it would be.”


“Follow me, you two, we need more privacy.” He leads us to another room. I'm surprised to see Boyd on screen. “Sit down, Jerome.” He nervously complies, whilst Boyd looks a combination of confused and pissed. “Play it.” As Jerome listens to his threats to Boyd, he looks incredulous, shaking his head, muttering and scowling. “It’s you but it’s not isn’t it?”


“That fucking bastard!” He sits down. “He set me up, why?! I’ve done nothing but be loyal to him. He was one of my fantasy guys, is that why he set me up with him, oh god with them?!” Slowly tears roll down his face, and realisation begins to dawn with me. How utterly power hungry Michael has become! We sit quietly and let him gather himself. “I didn’t make those calls. I said the words, but never called you to say them like I said to these guys. You’re my golden fuck goose.”


“Thanks. So now what?” Drew sighs.


“You go. We’ll handle this.” Justin shuts off the screen then nods at me.


“Jerome.” My tone is gentle, Justin hands him a napkin and a brandy. “We need the names of any other guys that you’ve been set up with. Will you give them to me?”


“Yeah.” He sniffs. “I knew he was a bit shady, but never thought he would do this to me.”


THE LOFT - A WEEK LATER


TED


I pace nervously. This has been one heck of a week! Ben is waiting for Daphne to come up, turns out she knows Blake very well, what a small world! 


After Jerome found out how Michael was using him as the voice of blackmail and he told them who else he slept with - his humiliation over being duped and used was complete when I confirmed at least four of them are repped by Rage PR.  Also, the house that he thought was Drew’s turned out to be, after some Emmett digging, owned by them too. 


However, it was Emmett who came up with the masterstroke of getting Drew back into Michael’s gleeful grasp. Drew called him in a panic saying he has an STD and he thinks that Jerome gave it to him. Michael, of course, promised to sort it out as long as Drew ended all associations with Brian Kinney, including a very public but carefully orchestrated dumping having found his true love - for his true love, read someone else that Michael can manipulate or pay!


“They're here.” Ben smiles reassuringly, chuckling when I stop pacing and start jogging - on the spot.


“Tea!” I declare, hurrying to the kitchen. “He always liked tea!”


“And your nerves are going to leave you with at least third degree burns!” I freeze slowly, turning to the door. “Hello, Ted.” Blake smiles, one filled with warmth and amusement. “You’re looking well.”


THE DOME - SAME TIME


OFFICE


MICHAEL


Jerome cuts his eye at Patric, his replacement whilst he's on medical leave, which he doesn’t know about yet. Little does he know he’s replacing him in every aspect of my life. Yes, he’s a great guy, but I think I grew bored and him having put it about, yes to my advantage, tainted him in my eyes. 


“As I said, Jerome, he’s a new hire, I wanted you both to meet. Patric, if you wait at the bar, I’ll be there shortly.”


“Okay, boss.” He smirks, blowing me a kiss. I chuckle at his antics. Be They stop when the door shuts. “We need to talk.”


“About what? And what are you hiring him for?”


“As the manager here.” His confusion, which used to be cute, is now cringy. “I had a call from Drew Boyd.” He lights up. “He’s got an STD, which he didn’t have before you, so where’d you get it and why didn’t you tell me?” He blinks rapidly. “I think I must have sensed something was off with you. You could’ve given it to me if we had done anything.” 


“I didn’t know I had anything,” He whispers. “Oh fuck, what am I gonna do?!”


“Clear your locker and never come back again!” Lindsay declares, who was in the ante room, biding her time - she loves firing people. “You put The Dome under immense reputational damage, we run a clean house here. When was your last healthcheck?!”


“I’m so sorry! Please don’t fire me!” He pleads. We're unmoved.


“We will give you six months severance for services rendered, which is more than you deserve, you need to sign this then get out of our sight!” She puts the folder in front of him. “I shall leave you to that, Michael!”


TWO HOURS LATER


He’s damn right I’m the best ever! Unlike Jerome, who towards the end would just lie there, he's into this. I can’t hold back anymore and cum, he’s seconds later. 


“You're so tight!” I declare. He moans as I withdraw and dispense with the condom.


“Can I have a shower?” He’s so adorable. “Then go back to yours to cook you a lovely meal.” I stare at him. “What? You’ve been good to me, the least I can do is make you a meal.” 


“Of course, and thank you. Let me call you a cab for our place in Shredders, that way we can restart what we just finished.” He grins, his delicious ass disappearing from view. That’s another thing with Jerome that annoyed me, he never invited me back to his place, we always did it here. At least with Patric, he’s showing proper gratitude! 


Speaking of delicious asses and gratitude, I do up my jeans, down a glass of water, then reach for my phone. “Hi, Justin? It’s me, Michael, Michael Novotny. How are you? Did I catch you at a bad time? No, oh good. Well, I think that it’s time for us to reconvene our negotiations to represent you. And also, I’m not sure if you’ve seen the latest Drew Boyd press, well it could turn into a scandal, and it concerns you. Well your association with Brian Kinney. It seems him living up to his playboy reputation has come back to haunt him. He’s given Drew Boyd an STD.” 


I enjoy his gasp, and twenty minutes later, we’ve got a meeting booked. However, once more, it has to be in the diner. If it wasn’t so hot to watch him eat, I would insist we met at the office!


THE LOFT - AN HOUR LATER


BLAKE


I’m so glad that Ted and I have made our peace. When I called Leon, he insisted on coming over with Teddy - whose namesake doesn’t know about him yet - to make amends for his part in things. Ted wanted to brush that aside, but when Ben explained it is part of his healing process, he accepted it. 


Daphne had called Gus to plan another prong of attack. Despite her disinterest in what they do, Lindsay has her own ears and eyes. 


“It’s so simple.” I help Ben with the tea and cordials. “It gets her in a place she truly loves, the art scene. She does love to preen on the pedestal of her perfection.” Ben and I both snicker at Ted’s grimacing. “If Justin was to merely suggest that they do a show together, to her, not Michael, she will ensure that Michael does exactly what Justin wants to get her there.” 


“Okay, I’ll make sure he does that.” Brian growls from the phone, no doubt he’s smarting about how Michael is planning to denigrate him in the future.  “In fact, I’ll make sure he does that now, get that out of the way.” 


His abrupt disconnection has Ben and Daphne chuckling. “What?” I frown, Ted has a gentle smile too.


“He and Justin were most likely making out.” Ben explains, I join in the smiling, I’ve heard nothing but good things about Brian Kinney, which of course I didn't tell Michael, which Brian appreciated.


“Yo, Daph, you in there?!” 


“I’ll get it.” I smile. I’m greeted by a boy and a very cute little girl. “Can I help you, young sir?”


“Yes, Blake.” Daphne smiles. “This is Gus and Pheebs, she’s our daughter.” I gape. “He took after his Dad.”


“Mr Teddy!” Pheebs cries, toddling quickly towards him.


Two hours later, his namesake is having his belly rubbed by Pheebs, and Leon’s idea of me, to all intents and purposes, coming back in Ted’s life is enthusiastically embraced!


BRITIN - FIVE MINUTES LATER 


LOUNGE


JUSTIN


I sigh and squirm. “Want me to stop?” Brian worriedly lifts his hands from my butt, he grins as I put them back. “You’ve got a kneadable ass.” He declares, pushing a hand down my jockeys. I grunt slightly at that pull. “Wanna make some room?”


“Let’s both do that.” I breathe, whilst nibbling his ear.


“Hmmm.” He rumbles whilst reaching between us to loosen our jeans. I jerk slightly at the heat of our skin. As the kiss deepens, I can’t help but grind, it takes me a few seconds to register he’s stopping. “Great idea, wrong place and time.” 


“Yeah.” I kiss his nose, his smile is both lazy and relieved. “I'm going to call Lindsay now, do you know what happened with Sienna?” 


“Oh yeah!” He pops my ass, I flick his ear, he doesn't flinch. “Kneadable and poppable!” He declares.


I move so that I’m resting against his chest. He slowly zips our jeans up, before resting his hands on my thighs. “Ems got her muzzled. Although it didn’t take much.” I look up. “She was fed up with the men being able to use the house, when she wasn't. A rule imposed by Lindsay.” 


“Weird.” I grumble before entwining our fingers, he squeezes them before kissing a trail up my neck. “So how do I say what I want to say?”


MICHAEL AND LINDSEY'S HOUSE - TWO HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


LINDSAY


“Michael, I’ve always left this to you, playing the dutiful wife in the background. Now this is my turn and you’re not stuffing it up because I get to be closer to Justin. You’d be lusting from afar if not for me.”


“That’s as maybe, but do you really think a joint show is something you want to be advertising right now? It seems like a bolt from blue.” 


“A bolt from the blue?!” I snipe. “I’ve been known in art circles for years! If anyone’s a supposed bolt from the blue it’s you - remember the book you stole from Ted?!”


“We stole!” He carps; I knew he would say something like this, so toss it on the desk. He rolls backwards to avoid being splashed by coffee. “Watch it, these are new pants!”


“Get them dry cleaned or replaced!” I retort whilst tapping the cover. “Where does it say my name? I was an afterthought, remember the two lines thanking me for my support during the creative process?”


MICHAEL


I keep my head down whilst cleaning to hide my smirk. Oh how I enjoyed getting that over both her and Ted. He was easy enough. I had to give her a dummy copy with her as co-author, but then, oh dear, when it was released, her name was gone and it was all because of her approving the wrong mock-up, pity!


“This is mine, Michael, you’re not dealing with Ted.”


“Lindsay, as I said at the time, I don’t know how that happened and it was too late when we realised.”


“Of course, Michael.” She returns, gathering her coat and heading to the door. “Remember there’s two sides to your no guts no glory ideology. See you tomorrow at 1000.” 


Before I can follow her for an explanation, a call from Kip comes through. “Can you make it quick, I’ve got to go.” I declare.


“Sure, I’m just letting you know that I’m going to be in the VIP lounge in the club tonight.”


“Why would I need to know this?” I scowl.


“Lindsay’s about eh? Got it. I heard about Jerome, good idea.”


“Yes, yes, we thought it was best” I head to the door as I hear sounds of her car starting, I need to speak to her before she goes, to get clarity on her last snarky remark. “Kip, just do what you want there, I’ve got to go!”


“Fine, see you around ten.” 


I hang up and dash out, just catching Linday before she gets into my, not her, car! “What wrong with your car that you have to take mine, and what did you mean earlier?!”


“I’m not taking your disgusting vehicle, it's bad enough that I’ve got to move it so I won’t be late!”


“Oh, I see.” I wait for her to sort that out, making sure she doesn’t bump it. It takes her 20 minutes, which of course was deliberate. “So are you going to explain your comment?”


“Kip’s drivel won’t cut it. You may have gotten Boyd back, but you still need to find someone to do the writing. What if one of the conditions is that his ghost writer is Ted?”


I burst out laughing. “As I said, all association with Kinney, including the clown Ted will be cut, in fact I will ghost write it!”


She stares for a few seconds before starting the car. “Stop believing your own hype! You stole his words, not his talent!”


She leaves me in the driveway, spluttering at both her audacity and car fumes. 

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.

The Chickenhawk and the Ex Set the Trap by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 12 - THE CHICKENHAWK AND EX SET THE TRAP


THE DOME - LATE EVENING


KIP


This is a terrible crowd! I don’t understand what the hell Michael is thinking with this, but then again, he’s got Jerome going to work at Babylon, so he must know what he’s doing.


I head to the VIP lounge in the hopes that things improve, they do a bit, especially with the new hottie who seems to be running the bar now. I spot Ralph - who’s normally on the door - he doesn’t look happy.


“Oh, finally a friendly face!” He clutches me like a life belt. “Who are you with? What do you think of the new people?”


“Was with friends, but they’ve gone, and by new people do you mean the staff or the clientele?”


“Both.” He whispers. Looking around he pulls me into a booth. “At least Jerome would weed out the undesirables. I’ve never met such an arrogant bunch of otters, wolves, twinks, cubs and that group of yestergays are making me itch!” 


“But he’s cute.” I point at the hottie.


“True. Want a drink?” 


“A beer please. What are you doing here on your night off?” I admire his ass as he stands.


“It’s even worse in the other places, can’t wait for Babylon to open.”


“Don’t let Michael or Lindsay hear you say that.” I warn, whilst thinking the same thing. He looks nonplussed. “Although the owner is so hot!” He smiles at the photo I got from the website that Michael used, I must remember to ask him what happens now we're no longer using them - and what my ingenuity reward is going to be. “Although he’s hooked up with Boyd now.” I hope I’ve kept my bitterness at bay, the glance I get says otherwise. “They strung me along, then ended up with each other.”


“Really?” He sits back down. “Think I saw him in here a few weeks back, with another beefcake. And speak of the devil, that’s the beefie!” He points through the crowd. My jaw drops because of who he’s with! “And I know that guy too. Now that’s a cute match, don’t you think?!”


“No I don’t. Just because they’re near each other doesn’t necessarily mean they’re together.” I almost gag as he and Ted stupid-ass Schmidt kiss for a good minute or two.


When they head to the dance floor, Ralph goes to get the drinks. Although he's not long, it’s enough for my resentment to build. He frowns at the grabbiness and immediate downing of half. “Sorry, I also know that old fossil with beefie. He’ll get bored of him soon enough though. There’s some comfort.”


Scowling, Ralph stands “Just because you're striking out, doesn’t mean you should be down on other people’s happiness! See you around.” 


I grab his wrist. “Ralphie-Boy, you were just as down earlier. You were so pleased to see me!” 


I let go in the face of his anger. Smiling thinly, he leans closer. “Because I thought you were friendly - but you’re a bitter bottom, aren’t you? Never call me Ralphie-Boy or touch me again. Next time you’re on the prowl, best hope I’m not running the doors!”


BEN


Ted’s shaking with laughter. We’d taken the spot next to Kip so he’d enjoyed the bitter bottom smackdown. “Get it together for goodness sake, we're supposed to be texting Blake!” I hiss. Clearing his throat, he stands beside me. “Stop grinning, or you’ll set me off!” I chide him, he sticks out his bottom lip. It's no good, I swoop in and kiss him again. “Now go!“


I watch for Kip’s reaction. His face twists as he looks hatefully at him. I move back to get a better view of his screen when he starts a text. It’s to Michael, he's telling him that Ralphie-Boy is looking forward to Babylon opening and that Ted is in here with - oh, he's not a bitter bottom, he’s a bilious one - a desperate roid-rager either coming down from a high or a fossil fucker being paid for his services! It takes everything for me not to throat punch him! 


Breathing it away, I send Blake the text, followed up by one to Ted, telling him to see if he can find Ralphie-Boy to give him a heads up. 


He returns a few minutes later beaming with drinks. “Hey, sweetie, look what I got on the house! Isn’t that nice of them?!” I take my glass, smiling and basking in the heated glare from Kip. “Is he going to be long?” 


“No, about ten or so minutes.” I reply. Glancing down, I smirk at the outraged text he’s just sent, moaning about barmen giving that ugly fossil freebies when he has to pay. “My mistake, he should be here in about 5 minutes.” 


SIX MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


I send Kip to the bar, so pissed that he doesn’t know where Ted and whatever blind beefcake he’s with went. He's smirking as returns. “So what are you going to do about Ralphie?” He asks, almost sitting on me. 


“Watch it!” I grumble as his drink slops onto my sleeve. “Nothing for now. Until he goes, there's no breach of his contract.” I frown as I survey the crowd, not many are dancing. “Go speak to the DJ, get this place pumping.” He heads to do my bidding. I try to get Patric’s attention. Whilst I’m pleased that I don't, since he’s concentrating on a customer, I’m pissed that he doesn’t at least acknowledge me. As I head to get in his eyeline, I freeze. “No fucking way!”


BLAKE


Leon helped me get ready. He said that he’s going to be waiting for me, fully prepared, as I look that good! 


“Hey, gorgeous!” A guy leers. I try to move around him. “I wanna buy you a drink.”


“No, thank you.” 


“I wanna buy you a drink.” He repeats, backing me into a corner.


“He‘s with me.” Ben growls. I almost sag in relief. “He's with me.” He repeats, nudging the guy to get him to turn, eventually he does. “Gonna go away.”


“Sorry!” He gulps, before scurrying off. 


“You alright?” He pulls me close. “We’ll go the moment Ted gets back, Novotny just needs a visual, okay?“


“Thanks. Had forgotten how full on these spaces can be.” 


“I’ll keep you safe, don’t worry.”


TED


I can see Blake is starting to freak out. He never liked coming to places like this unless it was, as I now know, to save someone. 


Out of the corner of my eye, I see Michael’s bugged off expression and smile. “Hey, you made it!” I shout. Whilst Ben sweeps me in for another feel-it-in-my-toes kiss, Blake’s sudden gasp then giggling makes me frown. 


“Come on, you! Ben, I know you adore him so, let me say hi!” Blake exclaims, before hugging me tightly. “Have just remembered something! And this is gold, let’s go!” 


MICHAEL


Well isn’t that the crappy cherry on my shitty cupcake - I remember him from the night Schmidt was binned out, how did they meet?! As they leave, almost humping each other, two things happen. Kip returns, and Lindsay comes in. She looks revolted as she surveys the room. It deepens when she sees us. I think she’s coming to spout her crap, but she goes to the bar instead.


“Can you believe who Schmidt was with?” Kip slurs, I lean away from his funky breath. “Why would he be with him?!”


“You need to have some water and a mint!” I snap. “I need to speak to my wife!”


“Why?” He loops his arm in mine, I glare at him. “Whilst she’s here, let’s pick up where we left off the last time we were together.”


“There’s no left off to pick up!” I snap, pushing him away, he remains slumped over. “For fuck sake, get up! We’ll discuss this in the morning!” I shake him, he tries to brush me off, this is annoying! “Kip! Get up!” I yell in his ear, he looks blearily at me. “How much have you been drinking to be in this state?!” Ralph notices and sends over a couple of barmen. “Use the office to get him sobered up! I’ll be there in five minutes!” 


LINDSAY


As Kip is hauled away, Michael approaches, his face a picture of pissiness, which I'm not in the mood to deal with. I start to leave, but he’s too quick and grabs my arm. “We need to go to the office!” 


“No we don’t.” I snap. “You and loverboy don't need me as an audience. Keep your libidinous liaison here, don’t bring him to my home again!” He gawks for a few seconds. “Let go, Michael, or I will cause a very big scene!”


“Lindsay, Blake is here and can cause us very big problems with the book!”


“You, not me. He could cause you problems. Unhand me or I’ll start screaming!”


THE LOFT - TWO HOURS LATER


MEL


Everyone is wreathed in smiles. Brian’s apologising to Debs and Vic for calling them so late, but we’ve finally got it, the piece that means the destruction can officially begin! 


“You’re absolutely certain? I can’t believe Michael or Lindsay didn't do this!” My hands tremble as I check the papers again. For in them is the original of the NDA in respect of the book, which Blake has never signed!


“Justin? What time are you meeting them again?” Vic asks.


“Said 1000, but have been told I won’t be getting there until 1145.” He grumbles, glancing at Brian, who shakes his head. “Why am I doing this? I hate being late for things!”


“He’s most likely remembered and is going to be hysterical. Then there’s her in his ear, especially after this evening.”  We're all astonished as Emmett and Drew come in. “One of his friends called Drew, tell them sweetie, tell them!”


“Okay, Ems, chill baby.” Drew orders, I smile at the adoring looks they exchange. “So my friend saw Michael and Lindsay having a bit of a set to, he heard her say that he and Kip can’t carry on at her house, so that got Ems thinking. Take it away baby.”


“Whilst the places that he and Jerome knocked boots are owned jointly, the house they share is hers.”


“Explains a lot.” Vic states. “So, remember that outing I was going to do?”


“You’ve changed your mind?” I ask.


“On the contrary, I was just going to ask if I could do it tomorrow and bring a friend.”


“Sure, but what friend?” Brian frowns, whilst smoothing away the one that Justin was sporting. “You’re too young for wrinkles.”


“Gus. Let me explain before you explode!” 


“He won’t be exploding. Perfect, Vic! Just perfect!” 


“It is? Why?” Brian bridles.

 

“Because, Momma Bear Mel is going with them to serve Michael papers for defamation of character, because Gus is going to tell him about you being his Dad.”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks

Fifteen Love... by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 13 - FIFTEEN LOVE...


JUSTIN


“Control yourself.” I order a sniggering Brian. We are parked down a side road by the diner whilst keeping Michael and Lindsay waiting. He’d insisted that we pass the time by making out, which was an excellent idea. However, this meant I’ve had to make myself decent as the bases of making out shifted along with his hands. As I check my reflection in the side mirror, whilst he remains in the car, I notice his fly. “Brian!” 


“What? Mine weren’t the only hands that wandered.” He returns as he adjusts first his tie and one hair, whilst affording me glimpses of his pubes, they glint teasingly in the sunlight. “Get going. You remember what you have to do?”


“Do it up.” I groan. “And yes I do remember, you’re not that much of a distraction.”


“Look me in my eyes and say that.” He titters, whilst I huff and blush. “Want a chaste kiss for luck?” I lean in and give his cock a gentle squeeze in tandem, he sighs and rocks against my hand. “Cocksqueezer begone or Mel will be pissed!” 


“Later.” 


DINER


LINDSAY


I’m peeved that Michael has refused to move from the seat facing the door, which means I have to rely on either his eyes lighting or the table lifting up when Justin arrives! I smooth down my jacket and try not to let my irritation over his lateness show.


The shift in the air coincides with Michael dropping his phone, so he’s under the table when Justin arrives, the booth next to us comes free, swiftly I point to it and he sits down. I glide out and sit next to him, sadly having managed to kick his phone further under the seat.


“How lovely to finally meet you in the flesh Justin, I’ve admired you and your talent from afar.”


“Thank you Lindsay, no Michael?” He looks around, then frowns as a dishevelled Michael appears rubbing his head whilst grimacing at his phone and sitting down. “Why’s he over there?”


“I’m not sure.” I shrug, his flummoxed/disgusted look is a joy to behold. “Michael. Are you joining us?” 


He quickly masks his confusion and scurries over. “My apologies Justin, I dropped my phone.”


“Butterfingers.” I smirk. “Whilst you’re up Justin what would you like to order?”


“Yes, but you first please Lindsay.” He replies like the gentleman that Michael could never be. 


“Thank you, Justin. An Americano and water - still please Michael.”


“Sure.” He heads to the counter, Justin and I exchange looks. “Same like you had last time Justin?” He calls over his shoulder.


“You’ve got a good memory Michael.” He takes off his jacket then pulls out a document wallet. “I’d already ordered by the time he arrived.” 


“I see.” I smile knowing that once more Michael will be on the backfoot because all he bleated about was Brian. “Is that the contract? Are you willing to sign it now? I do hope so as I look forward to curating your show.”


“You’d be curating it? I hadn’t realised, I thought it would be Michael.” He looks profoundly relieved, then he frowns. “Do you paint or draw?” 


My heart skips a beat. “I draw. I don’t have your talent of course. Would - would you be so kind as to cast an eye over them?”


“I’d love to! Do you have them with you?” 


“No. Michael didn’t think it would be appropriate right now.” I lament.


“How unsupportive is that?!” He sneers, before taking out a piece of paper and a pencil. “Just draw something for me please?” 


I had hoped he would do this and had something in mind, as I begin to draw, I keep an eye on Michael as he returns to the table with our order looking exasperated. “I'm so sorry about that Justin.”


“That’s okay, you’ve not been that long.” He returns. “Need some help.”


“Lindsay can, you’re our guest.” As I look up, he’s handing me the water, with the glass at an angle, he smirks as it dribbles onto my picture. “Me and my butterfingers. I’ll just get rid of that for you.” Before I can react, he’s balled it up and lobbed it into the trashcan by the counter. 


JUSTIN


She's silent as she puts my order in front of me. I return it to the tray.


“That's what Brian Kinney had. Does he know you, and oh Kip, are so fixated on him?” I tear more paper. “Lindsay, here.” As she restarts her drawing, she’s smugly grateful. “Michael, I’ll give you a chance to redeem yourself.” He’s red faced and jaw grinding as he signals the waitress. 


“Yes hon. What can I get you?”


“I’d like a coffee please with sprinkles.” I feel his glance stabbing into my head with every word, whilst I focus on Lindsay. “And a doughnut.” 


“Sorry hon, a coffee with sprinkles? Don’t you mean hot chocolate and what doughnut, we’ve got quite a selection?”


“Yes coffee chocolate and chocolate.” He babbles.


“Who’s he ordering for?” She sighs, I raise my hand. “What did you want sweetheart?”


“Sparkling water and a lemon bar please.” I smile at her. “You can take away the hot chocolate and the slice.” She does so whilst Michael fidgets. “Lindsay, that looks great. Have you ever shown yourself?”


“Thank you for your words of encouragement. I’ve not had any artistic time for myself with supporting Michael in his writing, then the business. Now let's discuss how we can best represent you.”


“Well I’ve been approached by Sidney Bloom to do a show in a couple of months.” She gasps and gapes. “Lindsay? Are you okay?”


“Sidney Bloom of Bloom Galleries?!”


“Yeah. There’s a bit of nepotism, I’ve known him for years and he’s always wanted me to do a show. And I was a bit of a snob, saying no because it was going to be here, but now it's in New York. I’d be an idiot not to agree. Mind if I take a picture of this?” She is bobble-nodding, he looks bored, I take my time setting up the shot then really look at it - despite her behaviour - there’s talent there. “It’s your turn Michael.”


If he’d been wearing a tie, he’d have adjusted it with a smirk. “Thanks Justin, now this contract, here's a fresh copy for you to sign. It’s exactly the same as the one you have.”


“That’s great. However, when I said turn, I meant for you to be supportive of Lindsay.” I focus on her face, feeling her heart hammering. “I want to recommend you to show in New York with me, there’s a space for another artist. Would you like that?”


“I’d love that! Are you serious, you really think I could?!”


MICHAEL


Oh for crying out loud, she’s going to be insufferable but it gets her out of my hair and that’s all that matters. 


“Michael, it is Michael right? Hi.” A guy smiles at me. “What a coincidence someone was looking for you!” 


“Who was and who are you again?”


“Some kid and it’s Curtis, we went to school together. I loved your Mom’s meatloaf and always went for thirds, if that helps jog your memory.”


“Holy Christ! Hi, how are you doing?!” I get up to shake his hand but he pulls me into a hug, he smells so good! He smells more than good, he smells of just pure sex, I shift myself away slightly. “Are you still in Pittsburgh?”


“Only for a couple of weeks. Am emigrating to San Frediano.”


“San Frediano, as in Florence? Wait a second! You’re gay, how long have you been out?” I gape at him, I’d always fancied him.


“Oh years.”


“Hi there, I’m Lindsay and this is Justin, our soon to be client.”


“I’m so sorry about that guys!” I blush. “I was just thrown a bit, haven’t seen him in years as you heard!”


“That’s okay Michael.” Justin smiles. “Hold up, does that mean you know Brian Kinney?”


“Yeah!” 


“He’s done really well for himself hasn’t he?” Justin boasts.


“To say the least!” Curtis chuckles. “Hooking up with Drew Boyd, now that's shooting and landing high. Wonder who tops?”


“Kinney, I should imagine.” Lindsay declares, when Justin nods, I scowl. “Thought so, he doesn’t seem the type to bottom.”


“That was a nod of confirmation if ever I saw one.” Curtis waggles his eyebrows at Justin.


“It’s obvious that he tops.” Justin states. “Like if Michael was gay he’d be a bottom. You can tell by the way a guy carries himself.” 


How fucking dare they?!!


“True. How’d you know Brian?”


“I’m working on a couple of projects for him.”


“Wait a minute, you’re still working for him, despite what happened?” I decide to take the opportunity to knock Brian further off their pedestal with a little embellishment and fortune favours my bravery with the arrival of two reporters from Pittsburgh Out who take the booth in front of us. I catch his eye, he nods in recognition. “You know about Brian Kinney giving Drew Boyd that thing?”


“What thing?” Curtis asks.


“Brian gave Drew something - somewhat unsavoury. You knew what he was like in school, right?” The reporter’s eyes widen. “Wasn’t his promiscuity the reason he left early under that cloud?”


“What promiscuity? What cloud?” Curtis frowns.


“Michael. Can we get back to our business please and not discuss my friend in a public place where he can’t defend himself?”


“Why didn’t he defend himself in that picture with the kid? They were too close, don't you think?”


“Like I said, he’s not here, we’ve not discussed it, so I can’t and won’t comment. We're here for the contract and Lindsay’s participation in my show.”


I inhale sharply at her kick to my ankle and plaster on a smile. “I’m only commenting on what is out there. But if you’re comfortable with associating a chickenhawk, especially if he’s going to be around my wife, then the morality clause needs to be adjusted a little. You understand don’t you?” I can’t believe that Justin walked into that, this is just too perfect!


“Michael, let’s take this to the office now. Much more conducive to business discussions.”


“Of course. It was good to catch up with you Curtis. Maybe we can meet for a farewell drink?”


“Um, sure. Okay, do you want my number or email?” 


“Yeah, let me just get you a card.”


“Great, I’m just going to the john.”


I smirk as one of the reporters follows him, my joy is short lived when Uncle Vic comes in, what is he doing here?! I brush my phone off the table and duck down.  


He’s nowhere in sight when I get back up, smiling tightly, as Justin picks now to read the contract! “Come on Justin, as Lindsay said let’s go elsewhere to discuss shows and contracts! I can’t wait to show my support for you honey.”


“Then you need to go and get the one you tossed in the trash back, don’t you?” Lindsay states, whilst Justin smirks as he reads. “The quicker you get it the quicker we leave, honey.”


Fuming I go to the can and of course more stuff has been piled on top of it! “Excuse me, can I talk to you for a second?” I turn around and find myself looking at the kid from the picture with Kinney, this is just great! 


“Um, yes, who are you?”


“My name is Gus.” 


“I recognise you. You were that kid that was ensnared by Brian Kinney weren’t you?”


“I wouldn’t say that, but I want to talk to you about that picture and what you said just now.”


“Of course! Give me a minute or two. Let me reschedule my current meeting, then we can talk. By the way, how old are you?”


“I’m 19.”


“And Brian Kinney’s 34. Yeah, we’ve got a lot to discuss.” I find her doodle and return to the table. “You two go back and talk about exhibitions, I’ve got a meeting I had forgotten about now.”


“Of course, let’s go Justin, we can take in dinner maybe?”


“Yeah, let’s get away from their love shall we?” He nods behind me. 


I turn and find Curtis and Uncle Vic locked in an embrace. “What the fuck are you two doing?!” I explode, as they take their time to part I get my wits together. “There’s a time and a place for that kind of thing and this is not it!” 


“What’s with the hypocrisy?” Curtis frowns. “You were slavering like a wolf when you found out that I’m gay.”


“Yeah!” The waitress chimes in. “Jealous much?” I glower her. “I saw you checking out his ass as he walked away!”


“You were checking out my boyfriend?” Uncle Vic drawls, arms still around Curtis. “You keep those mucky bi-paws to yourself.”


“Wait, how do you know each other?” Curtis looks between us, I glare at Uncle Vic, willing him to be quiet. “And what do you mean bi-paws?”


“Oh he’s the CEO of Rage PR. Rumours have swirled around him for years that he both sucks and blows. People say his and Lindsay's marriage is all for outward respectability.”


“Lindsay, as in the woman I just met?! Wow, I always thought he was closeted not that he swung both ways.”


“Gus! What the hell are you doing here?!” Booms Brian Kinney from the doorway. 


“You’re not getting anywhere near him!” I declare, pulling Gus behind me. “It’s bad enough what you did to Boyd, you’re not harming this child!”


“Get away from me!” Gus cries.


“You heard him, everyone did, get away!” I yell, relieved that the attention is not on me now.


“I’m talking to you! Let go!” Gus yanks himself free and runs to Brian. 


“Show me your wrist.” He growls, he gets angrier as he inspects it. “That’s going to bruise. Gus, call the police. I’m going to have you arrested for assault.”


“I didn't assault your chicken boyfriend you hawk! I always knew there was something off with you!” 


“Stop calling my dad names!” Gus bellows. “That’s the second time he’s said that about you.”


My heart and ass are in my boots, why wasn’t this found out by Leon?!


“Is it now? When was the first time?” Brian doesn’t take his eyes off of me, 


“About ten minutes ago, he was sitting there, with two people but they’ve gone now.”


“I can vouch for what he heard.” I feel my world is starting to end when Blake Wyzecki stands up. “And I’ve got a lot more to say besides that.”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.

Thirty Love...Plus One Falls and the Other's Crazy by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 14 - THIRTY LOVE…PLUS ONE FALLS AND THE OTHER’S CRAZY


MICHAEL


Time to apply my best forms of defence: attack…as loudly as possible!


“Dad? You get him to call you that?” I curl my lip. “That’s disgusting! And you call yourself a businessman.”


“Novotny, what are you talking about?!” The returning reporter exclaims.


“You will treat me with the respect my reputation has earned me! But it's obvious what I’m talking about; clearly Brian Kinney has a borderline minor for a boyfriend!”


“That’s his son you moron! He keeps his private life very private. And the reason I know that’s his son is because I’ve interviewed Mr Kinney before. His son was there with his girlfriend!”


“What?” I gasp, feeling nauseous. 


“Now that we’ve cleared that up.” Brian approaches. “What picture did you ask him about?”


“Brian!” A woman yells. “You two go home. Let me handle this!” He turns smartly on his heel; after kissing her cheek, they leave. The silence stretches while she opens her case and takes out a folder. “Hello again, Peter isn’t it? How are you?”


“You remembered?”


“A good memory is a must for an attorney.”


“Attorney?” I cough. “Do you practice around here, maybe I’ve heard of you?”


“No, I have my own firm in New York. I’m Melanie Marcus.”


“Gus’s mother.” Peter smirks.


“Psychotically protective mother.” She growls. “Is this the photo you’re talking about?” She pushes it into my chest. I nod quickly. “Interesting, you didn't look at it; why not?”


I swallow hard trying to figure out an escape plan. “I didn’t need to, there was only one photo and I was only commenting on what was out there.”


“You said he gave something to Boyd.” Curtis, the corpse fucker adds. “Which was before they came in.”


“Again, quoting what was out there.” I state, whilst checking the room; there are ten people including us. “Now that I know he…”


“Michael.” Uncle Vic interrupts. “I’ve not read or seen anything about Brian that didn’t come from Boyd. Now considering he made that announcement. If anything untoward had happened, like you’ve been inferring, he would say something.” 


“That’s a very good point.” Peter smirks. “So, Mr Rage PR, where did you find that out?”


“What the fuck are you up to, Novotny?!” Boyd rages as he storms in. “I just got a call from Justin to say you've been telling him that Brian gave me something unsavoury. I told you I had a recurrence of oral thrush, in passing, which is painful but not sexual. Plus I’ve had it for years! Why the hell would you say something like that in a public place?!”


“Drew! Let’s all calm down shall we?” I demand, somewhat relieved, because knowing about him gives me an edge. “I apologise for getting that wrong, but I was told by Jerome that that was the case.” 


“Who's Jerome?” Peter demands.


“A guy I had a fuck arrangement with before Brian.” Boyd declares much to my astonishment. “He signed an NDA, so it couldn't have come from him. Besides, he works for Brian now.”


I sit down heavily. “What?” 


“Mr Rage PR extraordinaire...” Peter sneers, I blink at him. “...you need to call that attorney of yours.” He turns to the waitress. “You need to lock up. Doesn’t she?” I nod and reach for my phone. “While she does that and puts on some fresh coffee. Can you tell me Mr…”


“Grassi, Vic Grassi.” 


“Nice to meet you. What can you tell us more about the rumours and mucky bi-paws?”


THE LOFT - FOUR HOURS LATER


MEL


Daphne opens the second bottle of champagne with a flourish. “That couldn't have gone better, could it?!” 


“Nope!” Brian grins, whilst bouncing Pheebs on his hip.


“Next time you get to look after Pheebs and I get to have all the fun!” She kisses Gus. “My hero! No, our heroes!” She beams at Vic and Curtis. “So why the press and how?”


“His first mistake was being a showboating smallcock.” Vic chuckles whilst Curtis cuffs him fondly. They are so in love it makes my heart hope that Brian can achieve the same thing, if only he would lower his guard! “He’s not the only one with contacts. I knew he would say something about Brian the moment he saw him. Never thought he would be so stupid, though.”


“Here’s to arrogance!” Gus chuckles. “If he kept his focus on Blake instead of channelling his jealousy of Dad, then it wouldn't have cost him…”


“Two million.” I grin.


“How much?!” Justin gasps. 


“Two million.” I beam. “There were ten people he needed to shut down. Plus  the release of Drew from all contracts. So what are we going to spend it on?”


“You got paid too? Way to go, Mom!” Daph gives me a hug. “I think we should put it into Babylon, use his money to make it even more fabulous!”


“You’re just full of great ideas!” Gus leers. “I will reward you for that later.”


“Wrap it up, Pheebs is too young to be a big sister.” Brian teases, Gus nods and smiles, whilst Blake looks scandalised. “We’re a very open family here.”


“I noticed.” He blushes as he puts down the appetisers. 


“So what are you going to use yours on?” Ben asks, sweetly plating up for Ted. “It must have stuck in his craw that he had to pay you to be quiet.”


Blake chuckles. “Not quite…”


MICHAEL’S STUDY - SAME TIME


LINDSAY


He’s just staring at the ceiling, having cracked both the screen of his phone and laptop. 


“There is no way of contacting Leon. Emails bounce back, the website’s closed down, and the numbers are no longer in service.”


“Numbers?” I frown. “I thought we only had one for him.”


“You did. I didn’t.” He spits.


“I told you that your jealousy and arrogance would get you into trouble!” I just about mask my delight.


“Could’ve gotten us in trouble, we're in this together remember? But as usual, money keeps traps shut!  I’m not jealous of Brian Kinney!” 


“Michael, he has and is everything you don’t and aren’t! To the outside world you wrote it, so it’s you that has a Blake Wyzecki problem. How didn’t you get him to sign the NDA at the same time as Ted?” He balls his fists as he stands. “Michael, you have as much chance of beating me up as you do of fucking Justin.” I suppress my flinch as his laptop bounces against the wall. “Adding another expense on top of those earlier is not helpful.”


“I’ll sort him out. I’ll get Kip to find him.”


“Kip is the reason we have this frigging problem! If he had done a better job of ghostwriting, we would still have Drew as a client. Now he’s free and clear with $200K, Ted as his ghostwriter and all the time in the world. Plus he…” 


“Lindsay! Stop telling me what I already know! For once Mrs Genius, suggest something useful instead of being a fucking carping cockhole!”


Although furious, I keep calm. “You need to display your nice side and call Drew.”


“That’s your great fucking idea?! Why the hell…” He gurgles to a halt as he realises. “...there must be another way?” 


“Which is what? You said that Ted and Blake were in The Dome together looking cosy. You need to find Blake; the quickest way is through Drew and Ted!”


“What if he’s spoken to him already?!” Him whining means he’s calming down.


“Then he would’ve hung around.” I declare. “Let’s face it, Michael, you’re now the fatted calf. He’ll be back and it’s best if you reach out first.”


“How the hell do I find him?!”


“I just said, reach out to Ted and Drew, and one more thing, fire Kip!”


AN HOUR  LATER


MICHAEL


I can sum up my day with two words: humiliatingly extortionate! Extortionate because of the hush money that I had to shell out, and humiliating because of all the people that I had to pay. Uncle Vic, Curtis and those two reporters particularly stuck in my guts; especially now that they’ve conveniently left Pittsburgh Out! 


I breathe a bit easier now that Lindsey's out for the rest of the evening. She’s gone to celebrate securing a spot in Justin’s show with Sienna, who’s simpering explanation of her disappearance following the great love affair announcement between Boyd and Kinney that she thought it best to lay low and wait for us to contact her didn’t ring true. It cost me another $250,000 in ‘severance’ even though it was Lindsay’s idea to hook them two up together in the first place!


I dump the remains of my laptop in the bin and pull out my spare. As I wait to boot it up, I think back to my attorney’s reaction when he came into the diner. He went green when he saw Ms Marcus - as he insisted I refer to her; then was so sycophantic in negotiations I might as well have done it myself.


“Might as well see how much is left.” I grumble logging into our joint account. “What the fuck?!” I gasp at the massive withdrawal, which happened twenty minutes ago. I wait for her to pick up. “Lindsay, you’ve withdrawn three million dollars! What the…” I sink back into my seat as she explains that not only did she charge me that for not firing Kip and  my cockhole blast but as the person with the ear of the bank president, the account now needs authority from both of us for any withdrawal over five thousand dollars. And I should be grateful for that! 


It takes me a good ten minutes to recover from the shock. Logging into my email I groan when I see one from Leon. My fear turns to relief as he’s not abandoned me. He had to change servers and numbers because he found a snake in the grass; after punching the air and ordering the newest iPhone, I compose a response.


BRITIN - TWO HOURS LATER


BRIAN’S BEDROOM


JUSTIN


We are fused at the mouth, hands down pants, kneading asses. “Back, walk back.” He nudges to get me moving. “God I can’t believe we're finally here. You?” I yank out his shirt in answer whilst nipping along his jawline. “Great.”


“You’re very good.” I groan. Tweaking his nipples makes him hiss and moan. 


“Yeah, getting Leon and Blake to email Michael with that bullshit about the server was inspired. He sounded so relieved, and then the piece de resistance…”


“.... him asking them to find Blake and offering a finder’s fee without telling Lindsay.” I grin whilst helping him turn down the silk sheets. “Where are you going?” I frown, following as he strides out. I feel silly when I see that he went for condoms and lube. 


He smacks my butt as he hustles us back to  bed. He strips quickly, shaking his head when I go to do the same. I knew he felt great, yes his body is incredible, however, that cock, I need to feel that cock right now.


After swiftly getting me naked, his chuckle at my grinding disappears down my throat as we kiss. I cuff the back of his head.


 “How is that nice?” He murmurs, kissing towards my ear. “Such a pretty little shell, I think I will stay here and whisper sweet nothings into it…”


“Brian.” I groan, wrapping my legs around him. 


“Sweet nothings, like; I’m going to suck on your nipples until they’re hard like diamonds.” I feel like I’m floating as he laves my left nipple, whilst twisting the right. I cry out when he swaps sides as the combination of his fingers, stubble and tongue, is the most exquisite sensation. 


“Oh God, what are you doing to me?” I moan, then keen as he slides two fingers into my heat. I’m grabbing the sheets before he pins my hands above my head then spreads my legs wider. I’m delirious with pleasure as he plunders my depths, never hitting the same spot and barely grazing my knot. “Fuck me, please fuck me!” 


He smiles, releases my hands, and reaches for the condom. I’m mesmerised as he sheaths, then positions himself whilst fingering me. His deliberate snail’s pace replacing his fingers with his cock has me pinching his side. “As you wish.” He murmurs, hooking one knee over his elbow. I’ve never felt both so stretched and filled at the same time. 


BRIAN


He’s beautiful and all heat. He’s slick with sweat and our juices, as I snap my hips, him clenching on the downstroke takes my breath away, I almost cum when he pinches my nipple. I lift his other leg, but we don’t lose momentum, this is best sex I’ve ever had. As my orgasm builds, I have to kiss him because I know that I will say something he’s maybe not ready to hear right now. 


“Brian, I-I-I…oh god yes, I’m falling for you!” He screams just as we both explode.


DRIVEWAY - HALF AN HOUR LATER


JUSTIN


I’m just in my jacket, jeans and trainers. I’ve never been so mortified in my life! After my great declaration, and we came, he grunted then went straight to sleep! I check the cab app again, it’s two minutes away, sighing, I sit on the wall to wait.


“Didn’t have you down as a runner.” Has me slowly turning around. “Not nice.”


“Ironically….” I sigh. “...us fucking has got Michael what he wanted: me no longer working with you.”


“Thanks very much!” He snaps, tightening his robe. “I was making love to you!”


“I said that…” I yell, face aflame. “...and you just…”


“Blacked out! Jesus Christ give me a chance to recover!” He snaps. His storming off coincides with the arrival of the cab.


FIVE MINUTES LATER


LOUNGE


BRIAN


I watch the cab pull away and rub the back of my neck, rueing that my supposed prowess picked then to desert me! I try to clear my mind of how he looked as he came. “If only…” I sigh as I pour a glass of red.


“What?” I’m stunned; he didn’t leave! “You're almost overflowing.” He states, nibbling his lip. I put the bottle down and get up close; he doesn’t move. “If only what?”

 

“You had heard me.” I murmur, taking his chin. His eyes go wide and he holds his breath. “I said, crazy about you.” 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thank you

As They Dock His Ship Starts to Sink by MissMerlot
Author's Notes:

Warning - some Michael cavorting in this chapter, it's grim but funny.

CHAPTER 15 - AS THEY DOCK HIS SHIP STARTS TO SINK


MASTER BEDROOM - TWO HOURS LATER


JUSTIN


I stroke his back, he turns on his side; briefly our eyes meet. I lift his chin. “What’s wrong?” Sighing, I slide down so we're level, he’s blushing. “Your lips were moving, but I couldn't hear you.” He leans across, whispers, then ducks under the blankets. “Come on out.” His forehead emerges. “We were each other’s firsts?”


“Yeah.” 


“Am so pleased!” I pull the covers further down and kiss his nose then leap out of bed, which results in instant regret!  “Ow-ow!” I rub my lower back. “Limping for whisky!” His laughter follows me out, he’s looking more relaxed when I return. I squirrel between his legs and tuck the quilt around us. “I wouldn't have known, why tell me?”


“Wanted to. I wasn’t too bad, was I?”


I splutter into the glass. “You certainly didn’t act like a virgin. Ouch!” I yelp when he pinches my side. “Why?” 


“When I took yours!” 


“Oh!” I chuckle. “You were an exquisitely tender lover.” 


“Am getting swell headed.” He licks my neck.


“I feel that.” After I reach back so we can kiss, the glass slips to the floor. 


“Swap places.” He murmurs.


FIVE MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“Give, give me a sec.” He breathes deeply, I stroke his shoulders. His trembling eases. “Okay, I think. Gosh, you are so tight!”


“So are you.” I growl as I sink further down. “You’re in my throat.” I enjoy the burn and build of him filling me. As the pleasure starts to grow, I have to rest against his raised knees. I can’t believe I am in this position, let alone that we're holding hands, eyes on each other. “Feel good?”  


He jiggles his knees, the kiss is deep, languid and tender. “So intense.”


“Faster?” I mutter.


JUSTIN


I can’t speak, my hips are screaming and soaked. The squelching as he rises and falls is the only sound. 


“Down.” He groans. The pain of lying flat whilst still inside him is outweighed by the pleasure of being deeper. He gasps, shudders, then leans forward, his cock scraping against my belly with each thrust. “Cum now, Justin.”  


“Oh God!” I scream, his ass spasms are so intense that my second one builds before the first abates. “Oh shitlfuckyes!” 


“Holycraponacracker!” He bellows. His spunk hits me in my mouth, making me cough. He swoops down to kiss me, this kind of hedonism is something I could do forever! 


BRIAN


I can hear my orgasm slamming through me. Finally, it melts into ripples of pleasure. As I lift my lips, he licks his. “You taste almost sweet.” 


“So did you.” I return, frowning as he dips into the cum on his chest and grins. “First time you tasted spunk?” I tease.


“Yeah. Never swallowed or been swallowed.” He smacks his tongue. “Or been rimmed.” 


I am stunned. “So you just tossed off or topped. What about foreplay?” 


“None. I was the only gay in my year, so I watched a lot of porn!” It takes a few minutes for us to stop laughing. “Then in PIFA I just concentrated on my art. What about you?”


“Well there’s always a bit of fingering, though I don’t rim as much.”


“With a cock that size I’m not surprised!” He giggles, cupping my butt, looking thoughtful. “So why not rimming?”


“Never met anyone I wanted to taste. Just so you know, you have an excellent mouth, perfect for kissing, sucking, licking and rimming.” I cannot believe what I am saying, where is this coming from, we're already in bed! 


“What’s that face for?”


“Never said that to anyone.” He kisses my nose. “I need to get up, you're going soft.”


“Pity on both counts.” He holds the base of his cock whilst I dismount. “Jesus, that's a lot!”


“I’m inspirational!” I laugh, taking the condom and tying it off. “Shower?”


“Can we have a bath and talk some more?”


“Sure.” After I help him up and massage his lower back, he leads us to the bathroom.


POPPERZ- AN HOUR LATER


TED


Michael’s got veins throbbing both in his neck and forehead. They’re so stark against the whiteness of his face, I think at this point in his life he would happily have an aneurysm! I still can’t believe what we walked in on.


Start of flashback

TED


The way they look at each other is so cliche. In the mirror, him looking surprised, his playmate looking serious and stern, or his approximation of that. “Good evening, officer, may I help you?”


“Yes. I’m looking for Michael Novotny. Would you know his locale?”


“I am him. What’s the problem?”


“No need for alarm, sir, I’m representing the Benevolent Society of Liberty Avenue, and have been asked by the board to sextend their thanks for all you do for the lost youth of the area.”


“I think you mean they want to extend?”


“I do and I don’t. You see, I’ve got a token of their esteem to present to you. I’m the token, and these are the esteem.” He pulls out a dildo and anal beads. 


“That's all for me?” Michael whispers, quickly unbuttoning his shirt and tossing it aside, followed by his jeans. The cop shakes his head when he reaches for the thong. “Why not?”


“Leave it for now.” He smiles. “I’m just going to get some other things, be back shortly.”


We stifle our giggles at him swaggering away, then cringe when Michael licks his lips whilst checking out  the dildo. It looks heavy with nodules. “Oh God, I can’t wait to have that inside me!” He moans. We're revolted when he squeezes his dick. 


After he investigates the bag, he stalks behind the bar. There’s a thunk as he throws something in the sink. “Well he’s not going to be using them!” He pours two drinks, the vodka he sips, the soda he leaves on the bar. 


He checks out his phone before placing it back on the shelf, then the lights go out. Only the stage lights come back on; there's a chaise lounge and table, with about five bottles of lube and another three dildos!


Going through the bag again, he finds nipple clamps and tries them on his finger. He turns at the footsteps. “Want me to put them on for you?” He nods and there’s a bit of fumbling whilst that happens. “There. That okay for you? Good. So Mr Novotny, before we come onto your philanthropic work, I want to give you something from me, a glimpse of my talent.” 


He sashays to the sound system, when Gonna Make You Sweat comes on and he starts to move. He’s surprisingly good. It’s when Michael joins in that we have to stifle our horrified hilarity, as he is utterly dreadful! Even the cop is trying not to laugh at whatever shapes he’s throwing. He stops him when he starts hip thrusting, to our relief and Michael’s surprise. “I left a couple of things outside.” He’s not gone long. “A compilation of my favourite scenes, I hope you like them.” 


We crane our necks to see what they’re doing, looking away when we notice that Michael’s thong is not only a string one, it has rhinestones Oh how they twinkle in the thicket he is growing back there!


“Let’s go.” Ben whispers. As we start to back out, the porn starts! “Quickly!” 


It takes us a few minutes, because we are giggling at the pure absurdity of it all, to get outside. As we head to the loft, something catches our eyes and that something is the porn compilation being streamed on the building opposite!


“We really should stop that!” I declare, laughing, as instead of stopping the video entirely, they just hit fast rewind, the unfucking scenes have tears streaming down our faces and our sides aching. Then we see someone going into the club. 


“Come on!” Ben orders so we sprint back. “Maybe call the police!” 


“No need for that!” I declare, pulling him back into the shadows


“Hello?” The other cop calls out.


“Good evening officer!” Michael saunters towards him, he’s alone and pleased at what he sees. “When he said he’s got something else for me, I didn't expect this! I may well make this a regular thing and give him a raise!” He stiffens and starts to back away. “Aww are you shy? Don’t worry, I’ll be gentle. Hey, come introduce me to your friend! Where did you find him?!”


“Sir, if you could just explain.” The officer’s words die as Michael drops his thong, pirouettes, then gets closer. “What are you doing?!”


“Ohmygod are you a top? I’ve never had a top before! Oh yes, a raise is in your future, Kip! Will you get out here, I want to get started! Hold on!” He runs to the sink and waves the condoms at the cop just as Kip returns. 


Michael is the only one smiling as he opens the packet. “So what’s his name?”


“I am Officer Sapperstein.” He growls, pulling out a notebook. “And you two are?”


“Why so serious? I’ll be very tender with you.” Michael coos, before turning to Kip, who is ghost-like and near tears. “What’s the matter?”


“He’s a cop. A real one.” He whimpers.


“Put your pants on and switch that off!” Officer Sapperstein orders and Michael's dick droops in seconds!

End of flashback


TED


As Officer Sapperstein finishes his call with dispatch, Liindsay blazes in. Her focus is on Michael and Kip; they both start apologising, which she silences with a glare. 


“Officer, I’m his wife. I will call our lawyer to get this resolved as discreetly as we can. In the meantime, could we at least afford them some dignity and take them out the back?”


“Of course, ma’am.” His sympathetic smile dies when he turns to Michael and Kip. “Get going!” 


MICHAEL AND LINDSEY'S HOUSE - THREE HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


She's not said a word since our return. Thankfully, although we got a massive fine, there’ll be no record. “Kip, Michael and I need a few minutes.” He gives me a funny look as he leaves. “So that’s why you didn’t want to fire him? He’s your fantasy guy.”


“I was drunk!” I explain for the fiftieth time.


“I’m divorcing you. I’ll handle it, preserving your reputation, of course.”


“Fine. We both know this was a convenient sham.”


“Which luckily for us doesn’t have a prenup.” I smile grimly. “You take the house in Alleghany Shredders, this one is mine. I will take another $2 million and that’s that.”


“I’ll pack.” 


“No shit Sherlock!” She retorts. “I’ll call the removal company, I want you expunged from here as fast as possible.”


“Before I go, I need my phone.” She looks both repulsed and confused. “I need to make some calls, just put it on the sofa!”


“I don’t have your phone!” She declares storming to the door. “Kip! He’s all yours, I hope you’ll be very happy together!”


After it slams behind her, he smiles. “Yes! Finally got rid of that bothersome bitch!” 


“Maybe. See how she deals with the divorce.” I sigh as I pour myself a drink. “Don’t get comfortable!” I snap as he starts to stretch out. “Besides that bothersome bitch has five mil of my money and this house! Go home, I’ll speak to you tomorrow.”


“I can help you pack.” He offers.


“Were you eavesdropping?!” I growl.


“You just said she’s got this house, so you must be leaving.” He looks at me as if I’m the stupid one, when it was him who displayed everything and didn’t lock the damn door! “Well, give me a call if you need some help getting freer and clearer.” 


“I need my phone to call you, hand it over!”


“I don’t have it.” He empties out his pockets and the accessories bag the police gave us. “See. It's most likely still at the club.”


THE DOME - AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL


I’d torn the bar apart, but my phone had gone! I've already thrown up after I remember what all is on there. Not just what happened last night, but my other assignations. Of course the laptop takes ages to launch the find my phone app. Thankfully, it doesn”t look like there’s been any activity on it. Just as I’m about to read up on how to factory reset it, an email comes from Jerome asking me to call him immediately. 


“Why the fuck would I to speak to you?” I snipe, scowling when the office line rings. I send it to voicemail. Just as I find the instructions, it rings again. I yank the socket out of the wall. “I don’t have frigging time for this shit!”


“Yes you do.” I jump at Jerome’s voice. “And you want to speak to me because I have your phone.”

 

End Notes:

Pls be kind if reviewing. Thanks.

More Stinking Means Legal Sinking by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 16 - MORE STINKING MEANS LEGAL SINKING


MICHAEL


“How much do you want?” I put my hands in my lap so he can’t see my nervousness.


“Nothing. Here.” He tosses it on the desk, then leans against the jamb. “So why?”


“What have you done to it?”


“Nothing!” He looks butthurt. “I’m clean, so I didn't give Boyd whatever he got. I take it he’s very grateful?”


“It’s good you’re clean, but I went on what I was told. And yes, Boyd was grateful, moreso to you, since he got you a job. What perks do you get?”


“A decent wage, medical and a pension. Nothing physical. I meant Patric, does he know about Kip? He strikes me as a person that won’t accept that.”


“We have an open relationship.” I retort, cringing at the truth of his words. After we fucked the last time, he has been trying to nest a bit too much for my liking; I’m not about that. “If that’s all; leave and never come back. Anything said about what you knew or heard will cost you dearly. Remember that NDA you signed.”


“Were you ever faithful with me, was it only open on your side?”


“You were fucked by Drew Boyd amongst others…”


“Which you wanted to know every detaIl of. At least they let me, you missed out, never had any…”


“You’re joking?! You’ve, no, no way!” 


“I’ve never lied. See you around.” 


“Not in here you won’t! You’re banned!” 


“Good. Babylon’s bathrooms are better than this club!” 


I stand and applaud; he - naturally - looks confused. “I knew I could trust you, I just knew it! Please sit down, let me get you a…”


“What is this?” He frowns.


Grinning, I pocket my phone he still doesn’t move.As he knew the code to unlock my phone, whilst he’d been complaining I’d been checking it; the idiot hadn’t taken the chance that I would, which is why he’s still a barman! “Sit, please. I’m so sorry it was Lindsay's idea to fire you. She was jealous of us!”


“So she's not jealous of Patric?” He scoffs.


“There’s no Patric.” I sigh leaning forward. “Please sit down and let me explain…”


BABYLON - AN HOUR LATER


EMMETT


It's the cough that breaks us apart. “Finished your good deed?” I demand.


“Emmett.” Drew murmurs.


“You can’t expect me to be friendly.” I grumble as Jerome waits by the bar. “Especially as he’s done that.”


“No, and I get why you’re not. Look, I’m with you, and…”


“...wanted Brian first.”


“Liked the look of him first, then I saw you. Jerome and I screwed. I don’t screw you, fuck and make love yes, but not....”


“I don’t know why but the word screw is much worse than fucked…so vulgar sounding.”


“What’s so funny?” I frown at Mel as she comes out of the office with Gus and Daph.


“The similarities between you and Brian. Can you believe they’re on a play date with Pheebs?” She smiles. “Brian doesn’t need to do anything to get a man, the fact that he’s doing this means…”


“He really likes him, nobody gets to meet Pheebs!” Daph beams. “Now Emsy, get over this insecurity; you’re the best bottom so…”


“Shush!” I blush. “Sorry, Drewsie, with him being so close every day.”


“Well, you get something that nobody ever gets.” He pulls me close. “And it’s this.” The kiss leaves me breathlessly perplexed. “I never ever kissed anybody that I don’t feel deeply about. I feel deeply about you.”


“What about Sienna?” I touch my throbbing lips, he looks amused. “You were ‘dating’ for ages; she’s very beautiful. How did you not kiss her?”


“I’m very gay!” He laughs. “Now let’s hear his explanation.”


JEROME


For once Emmett is not evil eyeing me as they come up. “Can I get anyone a drink?”


“Cosmos all around.” Mel declares, to everyone’s surprise. “I want to see what wets his whiskers…” She wags a finger at Gus and Daphne, who pout. “...they can have Shirley Temples.” 


“Will bring them over.” I nod at the booth, as I start to set them up, Emmett remains. “I like it here, so I am not going to mess about…”


“I’m Emmett, and you are?”


“Jerome.” I shake his hand. “How do you like your Cosmo? Can do the original or watermelon, honey or…”


“Ooh honey sounds good, watermelon for everyone else.” He joins me. “How do I make it?”


For ten minutes we prepare them in silence but it’s too much and I have to ask. “I don’t get why you let him. Michael isn’t as good as he thinks he is. In all that time, I almost only topped once. He always wanted something on someone. I just don’t understand.”


“Let who? Drew? I didn’t let him.”


“So you blame me for him cheating on you, that’s what the stink eyes are about?!”


“Whoa!” Gus rushes over. “Why are you shouting?!”


“What do you mean cheating?!” Emmett glares at Drew, whose head drops in his hands. “I asked you a question, answer it.”


“I wasn’t cheating on you, we stopped when we stopped.” Drew is flame faced and I realise what I’ve said. “You had to remember that?”


“Come on, Rain Man, what have you had sudden recall over?”


“He’d say your name. You know, when…he’d say your name.” I twiddle with the glass whilst that registers. “I thought you guys had been dating before - he said that…”


“Please stop talking!” Drew begs; sighing as he rejoins us. “Gus, go sit down, we're fine, well once I explain we will be.”


“Learn to communicate!” Gus grumbles over his shoulder.


“You would think of me, when…I’m flattered I think. No, I am flattered. Wait a second, you almost topped Michael?! Did you…”


“Absolutely not! Only you get to do that!” Drew exclaims, which judging by their expressions is a surprise to both of them. “Can we please discuss this privately?”


“Oh yes, discuss and practice!” Emmett grins and waves him away. 


“Can you do me a favour though? If you ever meet Michael, confirm I topped Drew.”


“Of course! Now let’s get these made!”


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


DAPH


“Hey!” I chide Gus as he reaches for my glass, having gulped his down. “They’re fine!”


“Areyousure?!” He babble-shrieks once more checking his phone.


“He’s on a playdate with the most important woman in his life, his granddaughter.” Mom smiles softly. “If it makes you feel any better, he was walking funny.”


“Why would that make me feel better?” He sighs. “I just want Dad to be happy, to find love, to…walking funny?” 


“Walking funny. And despite having a row the morning after…”


“They had a row?!” 


“GUS!” I snap. “Stop and breathe!”


“Yes they had a row, but they made up, as evidenced - third time has got to improve your hearing - by them being on a playdate together with Pheebs.” Slowly he relaxes. “Justin got up and left after thinking he’d been dismissed. It turned out he didn’t give him enough time to recover; that was what the row was about.”


“How do you know?” I gasp.


“Dad would never tell you that!” Gus asserts tensing up again.


“Security camera above the front door.” She chuckles. “You know your Dad doesn't do anything or let anybody do anything he doesn’t want them to do. He wanted that.” He gives this some thought and although nodding still looks concerned. “What good deed did you do Jerome?”


“I returned Michael’s phone, because doing so allowed me to prove my loyalty to you and him.”


“Loyalty? Why would you need to prove it to him?” Gus is smiling, which means, praise be, he’s relaxing.


“Because he lies. He sat there all sorrowful about having to fire me saying that it was Lindsay being jealous of our friendship. He’d always said that they were best friends and business partners, not that they were married. The night that Ted got thrown out and he was kissing her, he said he had lost a $10K bet.” He puts a phone on the table. “So that’s almost a clone phone, anything he does, we can see. Unfortunately, we can’t send texts or anything like that going forward but we can see everything he’s done.”


“Mine!” I whoop grabbing it before Gus. “So we can look now?”


“No, that's the other thing, we can only use it at the same time as him.” He sighs. “However, the good thing is that once it’s unlocked he leaves it that way. And he always does at 4pm, because that’s when he sends instructions for the night to his club managers.”


The time passes very slowly; twice I have to slap Gus’s grabby hand away. “Well at least share the chair!” He starts tugging, eye-rolling I let him sit down then get comfy. “Wait, will he be able to see if we plug it into a laptop?!” 


“No he won’t…” Jerome smirks, putting one down. “...that’s brand new.” Just as he connects the phone it unlocks. “Okay we're in.” 


“Put it on the big screen.” Emsy orders, it doesn’t take long. “Let's split the tasks; Jerome, you and the tweenies concentrate on what he’s doing. Mel, Drewsie and I will look at what he’s done.”


AN HOUR LATER


GUS


“Okay Dad, we’ll be home in about another hour.” I hang up and squeeze Daph. “Justin was giving Pheebs a bath. A bath!” 


“Great, now back to this!” Daph kisses my ear. “How are we going to get these emails from there to all of his clients?”


“Wait, scroll back.” Mom demands. “Christ, he’s trying to get dirt on his attorney! Is there anything to his attorney since he had to pay out?”


“That fucker!” Jerome explodes before tearfully rushing off.


“Let me.” Mom declares.


BATHROOM


MEL


“Hey…” I rub his shoulder, whilst he sobs. “...want a whisky?” He nods. “Emsy! Whisky!” A glass is put on the side and the door left ajar. “Brandy do and can he come in?”


“Yes and yes.” He sniffs, he leans into his embrace, whilst I grab tissues. “I’ve had a tense relationship with my parents ever since I came to Liberty Avenue. They have no problem with me being gay but with me working in bars. I told them about me going to school, which is what I was doing after my shifts. Now he’s emailed them about what I did with Drew.”  


“How did he get their details?” Emsy fumes.


“Most likely from my personal file, this is going to destroy everything!” 


“No it won’t.” Daph states. “It went to his outbox, so we’ve deleted it, he’ll think it’s gone.”


“Oh thank you so much!” He knocks back the brandy, spluttering slightly. “He’s given me an idea, he’s got an email prepared for Justin, I think I saw that, let’s add in there that Lindsay doesn’t want to do the show anymore.”


“And get Justin to forward it to Lindsay!” Daph claps, then grabs his hand. “You get to do it!”


OFFICE OF ERIC TRENCH, MICHAEL’S ATTORNEY - THREE HOURS LATER


ERIC


I scrub my face, whilst my stomach has settled but my fury has increased. I wait for her to pick up. 

 

“Hi Miss Marcus, thanks for your patience and for sending the documents to me. I confirm that the contract and NDA were not written up by anyone, past or present, in this firm.”

End Notes:

Please by kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks

Revenge of the Crone and He is Family by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 17 - REVENGE OF THE CRONE AND HE IS FAMILY


ERIC TRENCH, MICHAEL’S ATTORNEY 


ERIC


It’s been a couple of hours since the revelations. The fact that he has been having me dug into is annoying, especially after that diner debacle his gutterhole of a mouth got him into. I’m heading to my car when I hear my name being called. “Oh, I am going to enjoy this!” I wait for her to get her breath back. “Mrs Novotny...”


“I need to show you this.” She hands me a box, inside are sheaves of our stationery. 


“Where did you get it?!”


“In Michael’s office.”


“Let’s get inside.” I growl.


“So what is this?” She gestures at the stationery. 


“I’m not sure...” We both jump when my phone rings, it’s him. “Mr Novotny, how are you?” I put him on speaker.


“Oh, just great. Am soon to be free, which is the reason for my call. Lindsay and I are getting divorced. Thankfully, she doesn’t want anything to do with Rage PR, which saves me explaining why it and the clubs were never in her name in the first place. That crone is …” He snickers. “...hang on a second. Hey, just go through there, won’t be long. Yeah, so that’s easy enough; can you draw up the papers and I’ll get her to sign them and bring them over? We're meeting at some point in the week; she’s taking the main house and a chunk of change.”


Shaking, she puts a document wallet on the desk. “Mr Novotny, could you hold a moment?”


“Okay.” 


My heart pounds as I read. “I never drew this up.”


“What about the others?” She hands me her phone. As I flick through, I shake my head. 


“Let me get rid of him!” I declare. “Sorry about that, Mr Novotny…”


“Call me Michael.” He states. “So when I bring the paperwork around, we can discuss you representing me alone and…”


“You’ll both come to the office to sign it.”


“Both of us? She’s going on a cruise for six months. It will be quicker if I…”


“Then I’ll wait for her to come back.” I state firmly. “Now I’ve got another client meeting.”


“But I want to be free of the old crone. Oh, speaking of which, one second. Hi, Lindsay, I’m just talking to our attorney now…” We listen disgusted at his antics. “...well he wants you to be there. Hang on, will you accept an email from her stating that she’s happy for me to bring them?”


“No. I need to witness her signature.” I hang up. “What do you need me to…oh piss off will you?!” I fume, sending him to voicemail. “As I was saying, what do you need me to do? Miss Peterson, are you okay?” She’s still, quiet and pale. “Miss Peterson!” 


“Why?” She whispers, staring tearfully at her phone. “I’ve never done anything to him. Okay, I wanted him to be better socially, he’s a gibbon at the best of times, but this, he knows how important it is, and to…” I exchange her phone for tissues. “...let me explain. Justin Taylor is an artist who has offered me a spot in a show he’s doing. Michael emailed him to cancel my participation.” She clears her throat, her eyes bright with anger. “Is there anything I can do to get my fair share?! I helped him build this company, and…”


“...you'd face potential misrepresentation too.” I glance at the papers. “Because that is what this could be.”


“I…”


“Got away with the house and a chunk of change As he said, you aren’t anywhere.” Her expression melts into relief. “Let him…actually, do you have to be elsewhere after this? I would really like to look at these properly, unless you could forward them to me?”


“No and I have a better idea.” She starts to grin. “May I use your computer? He and his fantasy guy hate admin, so left it mostly to me - I just want to check if I still have access to it?” I roll back enough to give her room, but remain close to the off switch. A minute later, she’s giggling. “First, change the password, then we can work on the contracts. You know, do…”


“...unto him what he did to others? Absolutely.”


TED’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


TED


I feel his gaze in my soul. “Can you repeat that?” 


“I. Love. You.” He smiles. “Problem?”


“But it’s…we’ve…”


“Only been a few weeks and we’ve just had fantastic sex. Irrelevant, this is how I feel.” 


“Oh thank God! I love you as well, it was kinda at first sight. When we cuddled, it started then.” 


“Great. Shall we get business out the way, then consummate our declarations?” 


“Definitely. Now what are we going to do about Blake and Leon’s…hang on. Hi, Mel, yeah, sorry I missed your call, Ben and I were…”


“Making then declaring love!” He whispers loudly in my other ear.


“One second…now on speaker, Ben and I missed your call because we were making then declaring love.” I’m thankful due to the screaming and whooping that it was. “Who else is there, apart from Emmett!” I laugh, leaning into his chest.


“My dulcets are memorable!” Emmett sniggers. “Well that’s two of us paired up, hopefully Pheebs has worked her charm on Gamps and Jaybay…”


“No need for her, Brian bottomed.” Ben smiles.


“He…he did?” Emmett stammers. “How do you know and I don’t?!”


“You are the most inept checker of messages on your other phone!” Ben gripes, I grin as since we’ve been together that’s been a constant refrain about him.


“One minute and silence whilst I read!” He orders.


“This will take a while, get another drink, people!” Ben declares. He’s not wrong, it takes at least ten minutes for the sniffing to start. “Ems, stop weeping and reply for goodness sake!” 


“Another minute!” He wobbles, then awwws at the same time as Ben. 


“Are they china bumps or bantu knots - and who did it?” I smile at the picture of Pheebs, looking very pleased with her hairstyle. 


“Brian.” Ben chuckles. “He’s the only one who she will let do that.”


“Sweet. So the call was about?” I have a pressing, in my butt, need to wrap this up.


“The NDA that you’ve signed wasn’t written up by any attorney,” Emmett crows. “So you can say and do whatever you want.” I’m stunned and furious. All these years, why oh why didn’t I check it? “Don’t live in the past, learn from it. You had no reason to suspect otherwise. Let’s talk tomorrow. Ben, go cheer him up!”


“Yes sir!” He laughs. It turns into a groan as I grind back against him. “You trying to make me cum in my pants?”


“In and out.”


“Bedroom!” 


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - TEN MINUTES LATER


LOUNGE


PATRIC


This is ridiculous. I check the time again, he’s still on the phone. Sighing, I head to his drone-moan. “Michael, I really have to go, can you deal with that after?”


“Go? I thought you were coming to cook me dinner?” He frowns.


“No, I said I needed to talk.”


“I thought that was a code for me to plough your grateful and beautiful ass because you were in The Dome.”


“And that's why you never will again!” I snap. “My gut was right about you! You’d never let me forget how you ‘saved’ me. I can have less mediocre and more meaningful sex from someone who doesn’t control my pay packet.“


“I am not bloody mediocre, how fucking dare you?! Who’s been bad mouthing me, and why not tell me on the phone?!”


“Because I’m going home, I live nearby.” I scowl, putting his keys on the table. “Club is closed…”


“You don’t close up my club like that!” 


“I didn't, the health inspector did.” He gulps. “I figured you didn’t want me telling you that on the phone.” He’s silent. “You’re welcome! Here's his card, he said to call him in the morning.” 


MICHAEL 


“You’re not getting severance!” I snap, frog marching him to the door. “Don’t come back begging me for anything!”


“I quit, idiot. I won’t be the last. Babylon opens next Friday. You’ve already lost Ralph, he was your best doorman!” I slam the door on his fading laughter, grabbing my phone. I pace whilst it connects. “Jeffers, it's Michael Novotny. Why didn’t you tell me about the inspection? Hold on…” I wrench open the front door. “...I knew you’d come crawl…” I gape, standing there smiling coldly is Blake! “I have to call you back.” 


“You’ve been looking for me.”


“Well come in.” I snarl quietly. 


“I would rather be where I can be seen from the street. You need to do right by Ted...”


“Fine.” I breathe deep then smile. “In the meantime, I need you to…”


“I will not be signing a retrospective, no doubt doctored afterwards NDA, nor will I be giving you an address or email. I know where you are, always have. I’ve been waiting for the perfect opportunity to pay you back for what you did to us.”


“It’s just a book! It’s not as if he didn’t get paid!” I fume. 


“But if he had just said yes, then you wouldn't have crapped on him in the first place. I saw that look in your piddling little club. I laughed so much when Ted told me how he turned you down, ‘I would prefer to keep this relationship strictly business’.”


“I was an upgrade from you, drugged up, twinked out…”


“You should be thanking Lindsay that your attempt on Officer Sapperstein was written up as a misdemeanour and not attempted prostitution.”


“What?” I whisper. “How do you…”


“Do right and I’ll get it reopened. If not, I go for the rest of your little empire.”


“Get what reopened?” 


“Don’t be obtuse. You know Jeffers, I know his boss. You have until Friday. Goodnight.” 


I wait a few seconds before following him down the path. 


BLAKE


I feel his fury boring into my soul. I smile as the car approaches; embracing him warmly as he gets out. “Thanks for picking me up.”


“Anytime, now put this on!”! He hands me his jacket then gets in the driver’s side. “This is not the area he gave us!” He growls and glares. I watch a pale and, no doubt, gut punched Michael retreat. “Will deal with that later. Are you warming up, need the heating?” I nod. “Not going anywhere till you call Leon.” I do as I’m told and he starts to relax, but I know him too well. “Can we swing by the station? I need to update some records with this new location.”


“Of course, Officer Sapperstein.”


“Cut that out!” He laughs, then cuffs my chin. “Seriously, Uncle Gary, you saved my nephew, so it’s Uncle Gary.”


End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thank you.

Food for Thought and They Have History by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 18 - FOOD AND THEY HAVE HISTORY


BRITIN - NEARLY MIDNIGHT 


BRIAN


I open the door and hand him a glass of wine, which he takes gratefully, I wait for him to finish. He looks so stressed out, he had a call a couple of hours ago to say there was a problem at the studio, as we were making out - Jesus! I sound like a teenager - he decided it could wait, but they kept calling. His anger turned to shock and despair and he sprinted out. I tried him a couple of times, but he kept sending me to voicemail.


“I was going to suggest before you lit out that you take a key or I come with you.” He rests his head on my chest. “HALT?” He looks up. “Hungry, angry, litigiously tired.” I get a small smile. “Jump in the shower. Gus and Daph came for Pheebs, take your time.”


“Can we go to mine, please?” I frown. “When I get news like that, I can’t come back to the place I heard it. I need to disconnect and…”


“You are back. Why not just call me and say you’re staying at yours?” He stares, a smile twitching. “I’ll do the food, just pack enough for however long I’m with you.” I blush.


JUSTIN’S HOUSE - TWO HOURS LATER


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


My stomach’s somersaulting with joy at the array of bowls and tubs. “What is that lot?” 


“Butter and dinner.” He replies. “This is honey, pecan and cinnamon. Great on pumpkin bread.” 


“You’ve made eight!” I exclaim. He holds up a fingerful. “What’s that one?!” I’m licking my teeth, it's so good! He nods at the fridge, I almost rip the door off its hinges. “Le Beurre Bordier and Rodolphe Le Meunier! This costs a fortune an ounce!”


“At the risk of sounding obvious, this is my…” I stop him with a kiss. “...hmm that needs more cumin.” 


“Cumin?”


“It’s lemon and cumin, I think the lemon is too sharp.”


“A bit. So what else is in there?” He watches as I rummage blindly in the drawer. When I come up with a fish slice, he starts to laugh then sees my face. “Can we talk about that tomorrow?”


“Whatever you want.“ He gives my shoulder a quick squeeze, then starts to knead away my many knots. It takes everything to keep upright. “Reckon you can open a bottle of red?” I nod. “Great. I’ll continue with dinner; steak, fries and crostini with black truffle pate alright?”

 

“Absolutely.” I reply, feeling a little bereft. As we sort out dinner whilst the quiet is fine, his glancing is unnerving. “What?”


“It’s better out than in.” He loops an arm around my waist. I stroke his wrist, unsure what he’s talking about. He leans close to my ear. “If you want to cry, I…” 


BRIAN


He’s still for about ten seconds before turning around. Five minutes later, he’s still sobbing. He lets me walk us to the sofa, then puts his head in my lap. I gave him my hankie.


“Of all the ones to be destroyed it had to be that one, we can't save it. It’s named after my grandfather…” He sniffs. “…on my Dad’s side, it was his favourite painting.”


“When did he pass?”


“Last year, he got to be at my first few exhibitions.” He reaches for the blanket, then fiddles with the tassles. “I know that I’ve got to do the mural and will give you some of the advance…” I squeeze his hand. “…thank you.”


“We can just go up, dinner will keep.”


“Let’s eat, but go slow.” He rejoins me by the stove with a glass of wine. “What cut is it?”


“Porterhouse or New York Strip.” His gaze bounces between me and the steak covered platter. “Which one…”


“Both!” He declares. “I’m sure I’ve got better wine than that, one second!” I whistle at what he returns with. “Have you heard of this then?”


“Chocolate Block’s my favourite cab sauvignon and syrah blend. Get it open and swap the glasses!” 


He makes quick work of it and purrs at the taste. “Must get some more; can I help?”


“Without tasting?” I nod at his inching of the butter dish.


“What do you think?!” He giggles as he swipes a peak off the top. “So what are the rest? And do I get to keep them?”


“We’re sharing. I want a firm promise that I can take mine.”


“Pheebie promise, now tell me!”


“Seaweed, smoked chilli and lime, chicken skin with garlic and thyme, anchovy and caper, the lemon and cumin, garlic and parmesan, best garlic, and for my babies, honey, pecan and cinnamon. And some vegan pumpkin bread is in that tub.” 


“Aww, that’s sweet, your babies.” 


“Sweet and true.” I clink his glass, he moves the butter closer. “Use a knife.” I sigh.


“Been meaning to ask…” He slathers two slices generously. “…how did you end up a dad so young?”


“I've wanted to be one since about 12.” He feeds me some bread. “Give a kid a better childhood than mine.”


“How bad was your childhood?”


“Jack and Joan were physically very abusive, but her parents, Ace and Percy, put a stop to that.” He looks like he wants to cry again. “Don’t, I found my surrogate parents in Dorothy and Carl, who are Ben’s folks.” 


“I’m glad.” He whispers, then licks my mouth. “You had a crumb. Continue.”


“Thanks. So were they. They poured all their love on Claire, my sister. Things were okay, until Ben moved to the West Coast; so I was back in the firing line, but this time it was mental. The three of them were utterly relentless. As punishment, Ace and Percy gave me their inheritance as a living will. It was a lot of money for a 15 year old, which they were more than happy to try and help me spend. I refused. They weren’t thrilled when Mel got pregnant, but at least that didn’t confirm their suspicions about me, until they discovered they were right, so I was out. Ace and Percy took me in and we all moved to join Ben. Mel passed the Percy test straight away, she insisted on meeting the person that was bringing their first grandchild into the world…”


“Her? I thought Percy was a guy!”


“Full name Persephone. Hated it, as did Ace, full name Horace.”


“What about Jack’s parents?”


“Apple didn’t fall far from the rotten tree. They helped me, and I use the term loosely, pack when I was kicked out.”


“And Mel’s parents, couldn't they have helped you with what was going on? Why didn’t you go to them?”


“I never met them, she left home as soon as she got pregnant; they wanted her to be a doctor and she didn’t. They refused to fund anything else.”


“Soooo…what was it like for you and Mel?” His impish curiosity combined with the chewing is so endearing - Christ I am fucking screwed!


“There’s never been a like. Mel was my surrogate.” I close his mouth. “She was doing it for law school. It was an arrangement I was happy with since I wanted to bring him up myself. However, when he was in ICU with a kidney infection, Percy went and found her. Said she had to be told, just in case. We took him home after three weeks, she never left. Why did you think I’d slept with her?”


“I don’t know, but I’m so glad you didn’t! So what did they say when you told them about Gus being so poorly?”


“Joan, speaking for all of them, sent a text saying if he dies then that’s one less abomination on the earth.” 


“Jesus!” 


“I never spoke to them again. Joan did call to let us know that Jack and his folks had died within six months of each other, Percy read her text back to her and hung up.” 


JUSTIN


“Good.” I test the steak. “Think it’s room temp now, what pan do you want?”


“Am set. Anything else you want to know?” He tops up our glasses.


“What about Ace, Percy and Ben’s folks?”


“Carl and Dorothy are living it up in Ireland. Percy passed away when Gus was 11 and Ace just after Gus hit 16.”


“Did he meet Pheebs?”


“Yeah, that’s why I love Daph so much. She was induced early so that he could and gave her Percy’s middle name.” I gape at him. “I know, right, just such a kind thing to do.”


“Yes that too!” I turn the stove off at the mains and grab his hand. “Please come with me!”


OFFICE - FORTY MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


I’ve stopped crying. I can’t believe what I am staring at. It’s a photo of Ace with Pheebs at two days old! Daph had her in Alleghany, as that was the only way it could happen. I remember clear as day him getting the picture taken by, it turns out, Justin’s sister, Molly. Whilst she sent it to him, his phone got stolen on the way home then he died two days later. 


“Thanks, Molster, you go have a great night.” Justin ends the call, eyes shining. “Happy ones…” He sniffs, sitting next to me. “…amazing how the universe works.” 


“To say the least.” I turn to him. Five minutes later the photo is forgotten as we kiss. As it’s about to take a turn for the better, my stomach makes such an ungodly noise we spring apart. “Bloody hell, I am so sorry!” 


“Don’t be…” He sniggers. “…it masked mine!”


“Even after all that bread?” I lead him back to the kitchen. “We got anything planned tomorrow that is going to make eating this a problem?”


“Nope.” He beams, which I return. “So whilst you tantalise my tastebuds, I can make your ears happy…”


“Not if your singing voice is like your snoring you can’t.”


“Oh, very droll. It’s the sequel, I’ve written some more.” 


“When and why didn’t you say? We could’ve gotten that to Ted and Ben.”


“We were making love.” He kisses my cheek. 


“Great minds think alike...” I hand him my iPad. “…have a look.”


JUSTIN


As I settle on the sofa, a thought occurs. “Can Michael find out about Mel and make something of it, or even your mom and sister to muckrake?” 


“No…” He starts to smile. “…not without help, which I am very happy to give him.” I grin at his evil glinting then start to read. “Now don’t shatter my illusions by saying you like your steak anything other than blue to blush pink.” Slowly I look up. “Well done?! I am not cooking either of those well done!”


“You're not cooking anything.” I whisper. “We’re going to test the theory of paragraph 2!”



Vegan Pumpkin Bread

Seaweed butter

Smoked Chilli and Lime

Chicken Skin with Garlic and Thyme Butter

Anchovy and Caper Butter

Honey Pecan and Cinnamon Butter

Best Garlic Butter

Lemon Cumin Butter

Garlic and Parmesan Butter

Chocolate Block Wine

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thanks

Relatively Speaking by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 19 - RELATIVELY SPEAKING


LOUNGE - LATE AFTERNOON


BRIAN


I stretch my legs, smiling at the slight burn; the reason has gone to get groceries. My heart flutters again. I knew I was falling, but this hard and this quickly is a good shock to my system. And speaking of a shock, I’m surprised that I’m not as antsy as I would be given that I’ve not checked my messages since we got here. I almost drop my coffee when I see the one from Mel. 


“Tell me you’re kidding?!” I declare as she picks up.


“Good afternoon. I’m not. I couldn't believe it when he told me! And you’re an Uncle.”


“What blind fool fucked her?! Who do I have to save?”


“You’re saving no one. Claire has two boys, John and Peter. I think...”


“Hey!” Justin smiles from the doorway. “Gonna put these away. Wanna jump into the shower with me then…”


“Mom and sister found Gus!” I reply, the bags hit the floor. “How did they find him?! I am going to ring their fucking necks…” 


He snatches my phone and pushes me back down. “Brian, take a couple of breaths.” Scowling, I reach again, he steps back. “Breathe please!” 


“Fine.” I take three deep ones, he sits down rubbing my thigh. “So where’s Gus now?”


“Am here, waiting for Daph and Pheebs to - ah perfect timing, they’re here.”


LOUNGE, BRITIN


GUS


I point at Aunty Emsy. Pheebs toddles over grinning, he picks her up and blows a raspberry on her neck. “Can I say now?”


“Yep.” Dad sighs, I look worriedly at Mom, but she’s smiling a little.


“I was heading to the store after getting treats from Insomnia Cookies…”


Start of flashback

OUTSIDE THE GROCERY STORE, TWO HOURS PRIOR


GUS


“No!” I mutter as the aroma punches me in the nostrils. “Is the nibble worth it?” I take two seconds to think, stop and rearrange my holdall so that the cookies are at the bottom, but not being crushed. “You get cookies and laid, don’t be stoopid!“


A couple of women with two surly boys, head up the street, one of the boys looks back. “Isn’t that him?!” 


“Isn’t who him?!” The younger woman grouses.


“The boy from the web…” I tune him out and head inside, humming as I  make my way to the bread aisle. “...it is, right?!” I frown at him. “This is you!” 


I freeze at the picture of us that Kip took. “What they wrote…”


“I am so sorry for the trauma he’s caused you.” I back up from both the stench of booze and the closeness of the gnarly old bat who birthed my dad. “He's never…”

Flashback interruptus


“Gnarly old bat!” Mom hoots. 


“How did you know it was her?!” Daph demands.


“Grandpa Ace showed me pictures. Are you sure you weren’t adopted? You don’t look like either of them; it would explain a lot.”


“Positive, I am all theirs.” Dad returns.


“Laying privileges revoked!” Daphne snaps. 


“Sorry, dad!” I blush. “Am a thoughtless lunkhead.” 


“And no cookies!” Justin chimes in, my heart sinks at her evil smile. “Continue!”


Back to flashback

I drop the holdall; all set to blast them when I see someone who mouths ‘calm’. I breathe deep then have an idea. “He never what?”


“Never showed anybody any consideration, always thinking of himself!” She seethes, then looks around. “You look like such a good boy, how did you get ensnared by him?”


“Has he fucked you?” The boy sneers.


“John!” He glares at the other woman. “Much to our eternal shame, I’m his sister, Claire; she's our mother, Joan; and they’re his nephews.”


“He mentioned you two, but not them. John and…” I smile at the other boy, who smiles back until John elbows him.


“Peter. What did he say about them then?” 


“Um…”


“Please, tell us. Nothing would surprise…”


“Ugly sacks of spunk.” I mutter, ducking to hide the smirk at their gasps of shock.


“If his father, Jack, was alive, he’d skin his hide for those words then cut out his tongue!” Joan hisses and wobbles. “The love and shelter we provided for that abomination and that is how he describes us!”


“That’s not what he..” I begin.


“Whatever you heard are lies!” Clare foams. “We should go to those website people and tell the truth about him!”


“He wouldn't like that…” She and Joan exchange sly smiles. “...but if you must, don't tell him what I said. If it got back to him, he’d dump me; I love my life with him!” 


“So you have done it with him!” John gapes.


“No! We're not like that, we love each other. But having all that money does help…”


“He’s rich?” Joan gasps. “He should be helping us in our hours of need!”


“He’s a millionaire many times over, houses all over the world…” My phone beeps. “..oh shit, I'm late for him; I don't want him to be mad. If you go to those people, remember don’t mention me!” I grab my bag and run out.


COFFEE SHOP, AN HOUR LATER


“Hey!” I frown at Blake as he sits down “Where’s Leon? Up, Teddy!” He leaps into my lap and washes my face.


“Leon is speaking to his sponsor, her stench was a bit triggering.” He signals the waitress and orders a couple mugs of coffee and a bowl for Teddy. “As for how; very well indeed. I’ll let him explain, he won’t be long.” 


“I felt like I needed a hose down; she is really vile. It took everything not to knock her across the store, the hatred coming off her! Ah here he comes.”


“Drink first, sweetheart.” Blake orders gently.


“Thank you.” He smiles. We wait for him to have a few sips. “I’m glad you didn't react the way you wanted, it would’ve exposed both of you to them. This way, it gets contained and gleefully seemingly orchestrated by Michael Novotny.” He laughs at my jaw drop. “He sent a car for them after I called him!”


“So what do you think he’s going to do?” I frown.


“I know exactly what he will do. He’ll call Brian, all sweetness and light, to warn him, then represent them in the background. He’ll try and recoup the losses he’s made. I heard Peter say they can twist him for a house to keep their mouths shut and Claire said that’s just the start!”

End of flashback


MEL


“So what do you want us to do?!” A red-faced Ben demands, as he enters having been listening in, I chuckle as Ted is frantically yelling at him to be calm. “No, they fucked him up and over so many times, this time we destroy them!”


“Anger is turning you into Novotny.” I state, he sits down in shock. “Michael will be in their focus, once this goes tits up.”


“How?” Justin asks.


“Although their bad porn night didn’t get picked up by the main media. Other outlets, thanks to Ted, have seen it.”


“You? How? When? And why didn’t you tell me?” Ben glowers.


“I’ve been trying to tell you but you kept changing the subject!” Ted explains with a knowing smirk, Ben buries his head in his shoulder at our chuckling. “So I can finish now?” He kisses his cheek in permission. “Remember the guys from Pittsburgh Out who he had to pay off?”


“Yes.” I frown.


“I was in the library last week…”


“Last week? How much sex did you two have?!” Gus guffaws.


“Anymore sass and you’ll have blue balls for two weeks!” Brian snaps, he goes pale at Daph’s nodding. “Continue Ted.”


“Thanks. Well it turns out I knew one of them from another launch event, we got talking and he happened to allude to his payoff. I mentioned the tryst and he did the rest, Michael will find out that having an underpaid ex playmate and partner has its disadvantages!”


“Ex playmate?” Emmett echoes. “I thought you said…”


“Kip! I mean Kip!” He quickly soothes a startled Pheebs. “He is a very minor partner in Rage PR. Then there’s Blake holding The Dome closed, and he's been closing the rest of his empire through inspections. By this time next week, Babylon will be the only club in town!” 

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing, thanks.

Chapter 20 - They Will Have His Company by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 20 - THEY WILL HAVE HIS COMPANY


RAGE PR OFFICES - EARLY EVENING


KIP 


I remain silent as he talks to Kinney’s mother and sister. I am still fuming about being hauled in on my day off!


“Well, Mrs Kinney, you have my sympathies, and…”


“Please call me Joan, you can call her Claire…” She turns to her. “…can't he?”


“Oh yes, I would much prefer that.” She smiles. “May we call you Michael?”


“I insist.” He simpers. They bask, her sons quietly gag. “What I will do is act as an intermediary between both parties to ensure that this is handled as discreetly as possible…”


“…so what would be your cut for all this help?” John sneers. 


“John!” Claire blushes. “Be nice to him! Sorry, Michael, as you can understand after his father and uncle’s behaviour, he’s very wary of all men.”


“Tell me about their father.”


“Well…” She sighs. “…he…was abusive.”


“I am so sorry…” He takes her hand. “...how long was…”


“Throughout their relationship, until he left…” Joan sniffs. “…Brian didn't do anything to help.”


“What?” Michael gleams. “Are you saying you told him what was happening, and…”


“No, but he must have seen the bruises, sensed her distress and pain, they’re brother and sister. We tried to love him but he rejected us…”


“I see.” Again he sympathetically pats, which judging by her reaction is the first human contact in a while! “Can you get in touch with him?”


“Why would we do that?” Joan carps, whilst Claire and the boys look nervy. “I said he was abusive!”


“Yes, but my reasoning is so that we can use him as a fillip to aid our cause…”


“A what?” Peter frowns.


“A fillip is something used to boost an activity. So what I think Michael’s suggesting is that if Brian sees that your ex is returning to you, combined with everything that you’ve told us, which he was aware of. So with Michael’s superlative people and negotiating skills, we would act as an intermediary to avoid any reputational damage for both men.”


“Both?” Claire echoes.


“Oh yes, after we’ve got your ex onside…” I smile. “…he’ll think that we're going after Brian and he’s going to get a slice of the proverbial pie. I am assuming your injuries are documented somewhere?” More Claire tears, I ignore Michael’s scowl. “I’m sorry to bring up something so painful. What we intend is that his slice will be your damages for the pain he caused you and your boys…”


“But he never touched the boys.” She states.


“They were witnesses to it, were they not?” I ooze sympathy; all nod vigorously and Michael relaxes. “Then he abused them too, don’t you see that?”


“Of course he did…and yes I do.” Joan snivels.


“So what we’ll do…” I stand up, they follow, looking confused. “...is to put you all in a safe location until we find your ex and speak to Brian.”


EVEN HOTEL DOWNTOWN PITTSBURGH, LATE EVENING


JOAN’S SUITE


JOAN


My head is pounding and I’m parched. I relish the sound of the vodka filling the glass, the clink of the ice and the bubbles that tickle my nose. 


As my drink warms me, I open the folder that we were given before we left. It has all he knows about that disgrace. My grip tightens as I see what he has now, then I realise something is missing - there’s no reference to wastrel that he brought into the world. I call Kip.


“Joan, is everything alright at the hotel?” He sounds peevish, it’s not my fault that the first two hotels he wanted to put us in were subpar!


“Tiredness tends to make things acceptable. Oh, could you hold on a second…” I open the door to the bellboy. “...my refreshments have arrived, put it over there.” He bangs down the tray. “No tip for you. In fact, I will be complaining to management!” His departing disgusted look heightens my anger. “Some people, as you are aware, don’t know their station and place in life.”


I enjoy his outraged silence, then his sigh of resignation, at another victory for me, as he asks. “How can I help you?”


“Brian refused to tell us where his child was buried so we were unable to mourn him.” I smile at the bottles of Ciroc - four full size and six mini - I have always wanted to try it, but it was far too expensive for me. I felt a bit guilty at ordering them, but since Michael said to get accustomed to the life that we're set to live and he would be recouping all costs from Brian, that swiftly died. “We begged and pleaded after he told us… ”


“He did what?” He bridles.


“Called us when the child died, which hastened my dear Jack’s death. For someone who had lost their bairn, he was unbothered, I wouldn't be surprised if he had something to do with it.”


“Joan…” I scowl at his tone. “...that is a very serious allegation, can you substantiate that?”


“Substan…”


“Prove what you’ve just said.”


“He had a child that was sick and now there’s no child mentioned.”


“Which means nothing. Unless you have proof, you must never mention it again.” He clips out, oh Michael is going to hear about this! “Before you go, we weren’t given your ex son-in-law’s name, also can you reconfirm his telephone number?” 


“Dubhan Mac Hoel; I shall spell it, D-U-B-H-A-N then M-A-C next word H-O-E-L. As for the number, speak to Claire, as she gave it to you…” I clip back. “...and she’s putting the boys to bed, so call her in the morning!” As I toss my phone onto the counter, I’m surprised to see my door is wide open and a woman looking at me strangely. She retreats at my approach. “Can I help you with something?!” 


“Yes, close your robe!” She snaps as she hurries away.


My mortification increases my determination to make my spiteful son suffer!


KIP’S APARTMENT - EARLY DAWN, NEXT DAY


KIP


Flabbergasted and fucked off is the only way to describe me right now! He has the nerve to toss a salute at me as he gets into his car. It might as well be the middle finger! I look at the screen again, still nothing has come through. 


He discovered a Wertschafer will codicil that he states that the company belongs to Michael and only him, so his 'suggestion’ for my shares was to sell them back to him. He was so smug and condescending about it - and a bit threatening, saying that he didn't want to go to court to honour it but he would. 


Then it got even worse! He’s told me - an actual out and proud gay man - to be a ‘friend’ to Claire, and to keep her sweet in any way she wants. Whilst I try not to imagine what that would look like, the money arrives. I reach for the certificates, then call him. “Michael, you’ve made a mistake…” 


MICHAEL’s HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL


“Kip, I’m shattered as the traffic was a pain…oh for fuck, now someone is at the door, hold on!” I wrench it open. “Oh, hi! That’s fortuitous. I was going to call you. Come…” I frown at Eric Trench’s expression. “...Kip, my attorney is here, you will have to wait till the morning!”


I pocket my phone with a sigh. “Seriously, that guy is such…”


“Why were you having me followed?”


“What kind of a question is that, as if I would do such a thing?!” I hold his gaze. “Who told you such rot?”


“So it’s not true?” He leans against the door. “And can you provide proof to my satisfaction?”


“Of course I can. Believe me, Eric, that’s not true; whoever told you that needs to be sued!”


“Provide it within five working days. Now about your divorce…”


“...yes, how do we go about giving as little to her as possible?”


“What do you mean? In our call you said you wanted to give her as little as possible as she isn’t anywhere. She’s taking the house and a chunk of change...”


“...well yeah, but she still owns shares in RAGE PR, and…”


“...you said she didn’t.”


“It's just about 1%. I mean, she can’t do much with it, but I…”


“...want rid of the old crone.” He puts down his case. “And what about your other clients?”


“My other clients?” I frown. “What do they have to do with it?”


“A lot. Now let’s go to your office and discuss them.”


“Now?” I gasp.


“One of them reached out to me about their….” We jump at the doorbell. “...shall I get that?”


“Since you’re nearer.” I snipe. 


“Yes, officer, can I help you?” 


“Oh, I thought Mr Michael Nootny lived here, my apologies to have…”


“He does. Please come in.” 


“Officer Sapperstein, what are you doing here?” I frown.


“Arresting you for falsified information. Now let me read you your rights.”


I want to object, but his warning stops me. “This is absurd! Eric, do you have your car?”


“No, I’ll take a cab. Which precinct?”


“That could take ages, just get in the squad car with me!” I order, grabbing my phone. “Go sit in the car, Eric, I just need to lock up! Can you wait ten minutes for me…”


“No on both counts!” Sapperstein snaps. “Lock up in the next 30 seconds, or you leave your home to the ‘elements’!”


DREW’S HOUSE - THREE DAYS LATER


LOUNGE


DREW


It’s me, Brian, Ems and Ben; Ted and Justin are working on the book. Just as Brian’s about to lose it, Mel arrives. 


“Now, what is this about?!” He demands, checking his watch again. “I have to get back to read Pheebs a story.”


“A few days ago, Sienna called. She was at the Even Hotel, and overheard some drunk woman called Joan speaking to Kip about you and Gus.”


“What did she say?” Mel sighs, whilst Ben presses Brian into a chair and Ems hands him a drink. “How bad is it?”


“Pretty bad…” They listen aghast as I repeat what she heard. “...however, I found him, with the help of Izekial, a court clerk I uh, was friends with…” Ems rolls his eyes with a smile - thank goodness! “...and Leon. He confirmed that he and Claire were together for ten years and that he's the boys’ father, which was the second reason he left.”


“What was the first?” Ben asks.


“She and Joan were physically abusive; he first stayed to protect the boys. Turned out that he would need protection from them too.”


“Why were they beating him up and where is he?” Brian scrubs his face looking defeated.


“Ferndale, Detroit, which answers both those questions.” I smirk.


“What’s Ferndale?” Mel demands; she turns at Ben’s chuckling. “Why is this funny?!”


“Because Ferndale is the gayest part of the city!” He hoots. “So we’ve bagged him and he’s locked up?”

 

“Yep, locked up tighter than Michael.” I pause mid sip. “Who’s been released from county this morning; Blake got him arrested, then his attorney was out of state with an emergency. He had to wait for him to come back.”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx

Talk...Honestly, Drunkenly and Back to Jail by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 21 - TALK…HONESTLY, DRUNKENLY AND BACK TO JAIL


JUSTIN’S HOUSE - LATE AFTERNOON


LOUNGE


BRIAN


“What I want to understand is…” Justin turns to me. “...why you lied?”


“About what?” I frown.


“Gus being conceived naturally.” 


Sighing, I close my eyes. “Who told you? Um…” I frown when he sits in my lap.


“Daphne.” He scoots closer. “She asked me if we’d compared woman stories.”


“Woman stor…you did too, when?! As for why, I didn’t want you to see me as less...”


“Less than a gay man?” He holds my chin and gaze. “I would never! As for when, I was 15. It was a disaster! I didn’t say because you looked absolutely revolted by the idea.”


“I’m sorry. That's the only thing I’ve lied about; won’t ever do it again.”


“Thank you and I promise the same.” He sighs, leaning into my neck. I pull the blanket over us. “Just ask!”


“What happened?” I chuckle.


“It took half an hour to get hard, I tore two condoms then I faked it just to get it over and done with.” 


“Wow. That...that’s a lot…


“...there’s more.” I feel his pain and embarrassment. “She destroyed my reputation in school so badly that I couldn't get a date, even if I paid for everything, for prom. I was looking forward to it, had the tux and everything. Stayed at home and cried.”


“I’m sorry that happened. As for Mel and I, we watched porn - separately - got in bed naked from the waist down, she guided me in. We never made eye contact and were done in less than two minutes.”


“Two  minutes?”


“It was a lot of porn.” I cringe. “So…were you curious, not out, why did you?” He mutters into my neck. “You lost a bet?” 


“No, no, spin the bottle we got paired up. Peer pressure I guess.” I follow the brush to his lips with butterfly kisses. “What did you do after?”


“Had a forty minute shower then watched…wait a sec, will you come to prom with me?” 


“Pardon?” 


“Well, I didn't go either. So the grand opening of Babylon will now be prom night themed; wanna come with?”


“You’re serious?” He whispers.


“Enough to let you plan it.” I pull him close when his lip wobbles, then rub his back. “That a yes?”


“Mmmhmm.” He wipes his eyes. “And speaking of yes…” He grins as he gets up. “…you need to read this.” 


Twenty minutes later, I’m shaking my head. “We can’t put that in there!”


“Why not?” He giggles.


“Gus is reading it, and…”


“So?!” He guffaws. I biff him with a cushion. “Keep reading!” He orders, since I know I’m gonna lose that fight, I continue. I look up at the click. “You look so turned on, it would be perfect in the Babylon mural, that expression, looking down at the crowd. Um, actually, would you mind if…”


“Go ahead and paint. When do you want me to do dinner?”


“Couple of hours? And could you stop being like this, or I’ll fall in love with you.” 


As he blows me a kiss over his shoulder, I know I won’t stop until he starts falling and catches up with me. 


EVEN HOTEL DOWNTOWN PITTSBURGH, LATE EVENING


CLAIRE’S ROOM


JOAN


“So what do you think?” Claire hands me a picture of a house. “That’s going to be our summer home and the boys will want driving lessons, we will get a driver for us. Oh, what about their schooling?”


“A part time tutor would be sufficient, they won’t really need schooling since we're going to be set for life.”


“Finally we get our hands on what should’ve been ours in the first place! I can still see his smug face when he got that money!” 


“Hmm.” I read the particulars. “This is very nice. Have you heard from Kip? And what are you going to do about Michael?”


“Yes, he said that Michael’s out of state. He’s told, not asked, told me to call the feckless fairy as he’s left a couple of messages and got no response.”


“You know who Kip reminds me of?”


“It?” She scowls, I nod and hand her the phone, as she waits for him to pick up I help myself to a brandy. “Dubhan! Where the hell have you been, my friend Kip has been trying to get in touch with…” 


“Calm down!” I whisper. 


“Dubhan, it’s about Brian, he’s coming back, we’ve made up and he wants to be a family again. You will? Oh that’s great, I’ll let him know. Bye.” I pour generously, she splutters then grimaces at the burn. “He’s going to call him back now. Oh, I can’t wait for him to be in our reach again. The sounds his bones made when they broke was so good!”


“Oh weren’t they, I imagined it was Brian sometimes! Do you remember when…”


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


LINDSAY


“Well you’ve certainly had a difficult few hours, haven’t you?” I smirk.


“Your sympathy is as genuine as our marriage!” Michael steams.


“Now I’ve had my fun, I will leave you to bathe!” 


“You need to sign this first!” I take it from him then grind it into the carpet. “What the…”


“Our attorneys need to be present.” I toss it onto the desk. “And you need to present all the accounts and share ownership for Rage PR at the same time.”


His cheek spasms. “What for? You got the house, cash and agreed to not coming back for anything…”


“I’m not coming back for anything that isn’t already mine.” I interrupt.


“You don’t have anything!” He spits.


“One percent of Rage PR is mine.” I stare him down. “Our former attorney apprised me of that before he was unavoidably detained.”


“He left me to rot! Sapperstein has it in for me I swear to fucking god!” 


MICHAEL


I hate this dyke so much! I want to knock her block off then throw her off that pedestal she’s put herself on. I couldn't believe it when I got to the precinct and Eric wasn’t directly behind me. 


“So why didn’t you?” 


“What?!” I demand.


“Give them this address as well? It would’ve saved you a lot of time, trouble and worry about your virtue.”


“You cold hearted old…” He bellows, balling his fists when I burst out laughing. “...just get the fuck out before I really let you have it!”


“Tisk-tisk and you’ve only just got home too.” I grip the desk as she heads to the front door. “I am so glad you came, officer…”


“...I am going to wring your fucking scrawny…” I screech to a halt when I see an officer alongside her. “...what is going on? No, wait, there’s no need for handcuffs, I wasn’t…”


“You’ve just threatened her with violence! Face the wall, hands behind your back!”


DREW’S HOME - TWO HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


EMMETT


“He’s finally asleep.” I sink into the sofa. “...Jesus Christ; he said it was bad, but this bad!”


“They sounded so…” Drew pulls me close. 


“Sadistic?” I swallow down the revulsion then the wine. 


“I’m glad they were too drunk to realise they hadn’t hung up and you recorded it.”


“Mmm, so practicalities. First, we get Dubhan some therapy. Second, Brian should listen to it…” He squeezes in agreement. “...and he makes the decision on what we do.”

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thanks

An Ex from the West Means War's Declared by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 22 - AN EX FROM THE WEST MEANS WAR'S DECLARED


BRITIN - NEXT DAY


DAPH


“Thanks, Alex. Auntie Ems, you still there?” Briefly I close my eyes, Gus wraps me tight. 


“Yes, darling, thanks for sorting this.”


“Anytime. Tell Dubhan he's able to see him the week after next. Can you get the recording over to him ahead of that?”


“Will do. Your dad will hear it…”


“…with us, I’ll speak to him; nicer subject.” Gus asserts in the tone that everyone knows not to argue with! “Mom said that dad wants a prom themed opening night at Babylon…”


“…well that's different.” I frown.


“Different and cute. He’s doing it because Justin didn’t get to go to his and he’s letting him organise it.” He grins. “Soooo, wanna be my date?”


“How can we, since it’s over 21s?” I smile as the reason that we didn’t go toddles in with Mom. “Hey, Pumpkin, have you been good?”


“She’s been an angel.” She smiles. “But it's now bath and book time, say nu-night to mommy and daddy.”


“Gamps, Bens and Emwee?” She looks around, we're not sure when she started calling him Emwee but it’s so adorable he almost doesn’t miss Auntie!


“They’ll be back tomorrow.” Gus reassures her. “Play then, okay?”


“Okay.” She kisses our cheeks before ducking under Mel’s chin. “Nu-night!”


“You guys can go up to eight, then it switches to the adults.” Mom rocks as she speaks. “Vic and Debs will be there. Blake and Leon will babysit Pheebs so that we can all witness the implosion of Rage and his Machine without blowing Leon’s cover.”


“Oh very good, but what about Lady Picasso?” I ask, squirming under Gus’s nibbling.


“Flipflap had forgotten about the payback for that witch. Now she needs a distraction I think. What say you, Drew?” Auntie Ems asks, the squelch tells us what Drew’s is saying!


“You’re supposed to be distracting her, not him!” I giggle.


“Got to it Drew, he deserves it!” Mom laughs. We join her as the call is swiftly ends.


“Baff and bubbles!” Pheebs demands.


“Okay, darling.” Mom smiles. “Use his ego and her talent against them. Remind Justin about the exhibition he suggested and get it moved to here. That will showcase her and pi…annoy Michael.”


“When are Ben and Ted back?” Gus smiles at her sudden politeness.


“Mr Teddy! Mr Teddy!” Pheebs cranes her neck, pouting when he fails to materialise.


“I’ll call him Pumpkin; I will make sure he comes with Bens.” I reach for my phone to set a reminder.


“Thank, mommy.” She grins and within seconds of them leaving we pounce!


TED’S HOUSE - NEXT MORNING


BEN


“Ooh you little minx Mini!” Ted huffs, the tapping heralds the arrival of the other addition to Ted’s life, Alaskan Klee Kais. Her brother is dozing in my lap. “Ben, you might be cross, but I can replace it!” 


I smile as she curls into my side. “Ted, they’re puppies, and puppies chew and poop until they learn not to. Stop worrying about that, when you’ve got a bigger problem.”


“I do?” He hurries in. “What?”


“Pheebs wants to see her Mr Teddy. How are you going to get Mini and Maxi home?”


“Ah, now I have thought of that…” He returns with a box. “...think these will work?” He pulls out three cuddly dogs, who look exactly like Teddy, Mini and Maxi! 


“Do they do humans?” I replace Maxi with him, our make out is interrupted by Maxi burrowing between us. He strokes his ears. “You’re playing favourites!”


“We both do! And no they don’t; folks must have asked as they’ve put it on their website!” He chuckles. “I’ve really got used to regularly sharing my bed with you, do you have to go back to Britin?”


I blink for a few seconds as I realise not only do I not have to, I don't want to! I reach for my phone, he frowns. “Am asking Ems to organise movers.” 


“Excellent, now let me get breakfast.”


TED


My heart is full. I had been thinking of asking him to move in after we admitted our feelings, and he’s been here more often than not ever since. Plus, he picked Mini and Maxi! I take out the pancake batter and hum as I light the stove, then jump as he lets off a stream of expletives that send Maxi and Mini running.


“Honey, what the fuck has happened?!” I demand whilst trying to calm them down. “It’s okay, Daddy didn’t mean to frighten you.”


“Sorry…” He whispers tearfully as he sits at the island. “…got some news.”


“What…” I hold him. “…ever it is we will get through it.”


“My ex called Emmett…”


“Charlie? Why?”


“Because I wouldn't answer his calls and texts. Turns out he’s sick and has been since before we split up.”


I lift his chin and see his fear. “Did you…”


“On our honeymoon, the only time, and…” He starts to sob. 


“...it only takes once.” I mutter holding him tight and praying very hard.


BABYLON - THREE DAYS LATER


EMMETT


We're all here for Ben, who looks dreadful. He moved back to Britin and hasn’t spoken to Ted. He and Brian are in the office trying to make him look less haggard because Charlie, who I could happily turn inside out, will crow about it.


“Hi, Ems…” I rush to hug Ted. “...how’s he been?”


“Dreadfully stubborn. I am sorry, but there’s just been no convincing him to speak to you.”


“I know and it's fine.”


“What are you doing here?!” Ben demands. “I said…”


“A stream of bullshit that I ignored. What time is it getting here?” Ted heads behind the bar. “I think brandies are called for.”


“To say the least.” I sigh. “Mel’s gone to pick him up from the station. Brian, go back to the office!”


“I see. Please go, Brian.” Grumbling and swearing he does so. “Where's Justin when you need a distraction?”


“Keeping Gus and Daphne contained.” I smile briefly at their efforts to get around all of us to be here. “Be here in about two minutes.”


“Less than that.” Mel declares as she pushes Charlie ahead of her. “Sit and get to the point!”


“I’m sorry, Ben…” He starts to sniff. “...but I’ve got HIV; have had it for the last nine years…”


“Nine?!” Ben bellows. “And you wanted me and Brian to fuck you and wanted to fuck Ems?!” 


“With a condom!” He exclaims.


“So are you going through your fuck catalogue?!” Ted’s question throws us all. “Or is it just Ben you’ve contacted?!”


“Listen, Ted, this is between me and Ben, and…”


“How do you know who that is?!” Mel demands. 


“You know since I never said my name.” Ted glowers.


“Answer quickly…” I spit. “...remember Ben kept his temper during all of this time. He’s got nothing to lose now, has he?!” 


Charlie swallows as Ben approaches. He goes pale when he balls his fists. “He wants to split you up!”


“Who?!” Mel roars.


“Kip Thomas! He promised that if I broke you up, he would restore my partner’s reputation…” 


“Who would that poor fucker be?” 


“Howard Bellwether.” He scrubs his face. “I just wanted to help him. He’s been in purgatory for years, and…”


MEL


“...why do I know that name?” I frown, whilst Ems grabs his iPad.


“He was an author that was caught in a barebacking party with alleged minors scandal that utterly destroyed him…” Ems reads aloud. “…he always denied that it was unsafe and claimed they were of age, but couldn't get anyone to talk.” 


“So how did he get to you?” I growl as Ted heads to the office.


“Where’s he going?” He babbles. 


“Be more concerned with your safety than his whereabouts!” Ems fumes.


He sighs. “Howard got a call from Kip Thomas at Rage PR, saying that they had found someone that could corroborate what he said. We couldn't believe it after all these years; we thought it was too good to be true, but he proved it by a video of one of the guys that was there. Howard has been writing, it’s excellent, but he can’t get anyone to publish it…”


“And Kip said once his innocence has been proven they would get someone to do so?” Ted returns with a phone. “So in order for this to come about, all that he wanted was this little favour of splitting us up. He would pay, of course, call it an advance on the publication.”


“How did you know that? I just want to help…finally I am in love.”


“Like you saw Ben’s really in love with Ted?!” I step closer. “Look at me!”


“Mel, he’s telling the truth.” Ted pulls me back. “Just spoken to Bellwether and he's confirmed everything. But is very pissed at Charlie boy. As for Kip, he’s lying, once we split, everything disappears and Bellwether’s going to be back in the wilderness. Bellwether was going to be a great coup for Wertshafter…”


“Wertshafter? Howie told me about him, said he was beyond scummy and wanted nothing to do with him…”


“And that’s why he destroyed him. He was Michael’s test, Wertshafter wanted to see how good he was and the rest is history. Right, what we need to do is give Kippy boy what he wants…” He yanks him out of the chair. “...and I know just the place!”


HOWARD BELLWETHER’S HOME - NEXT DAY


CHARLIE


“His phone’s no longer in service.” I tell Howie.


“You expected it to be?”


“Not really, I just…have you forgiven me for…”


“...being an egomaniacal jealous dickhead?” He sits next to me. “Yes. Why were you?”


“He’s not even good looking!”


“It’s not about looks, it’s how he makes him feel! Ben is gorgeous, yet you were cheating on him from day one!” 


“Okay, but it wasn’t just about my ego! He wouldn't do it raw again after our honeymoon!”


“Again cheating from day one!” 


“But he didn't know that besides I didn’t think Brian and Emmett would blab! Just an FYI, I’ve never cheated on you…”


. “...you'd be a a homeless eunuch if you had!" He chuckles at my wincing. "You were and are very lucky; thank god for that party…” 


“...thank god?” I frown.


“Yeah, because if you weren’t clean then we would never have met.” I smile in remembrance of him being up my ass within seconds of saying hi! “So I’ve signed with Brian’s publisher friend. There’s going to be an announcement followed by a launch party…”


“...that’s great! What are we going to wear?!” Whenever we go out, I love wearing the same outfits. “I think we should go in tuxedos and…”


“You’re not coming.”


“You said you’ve forgiven me!” I protest. 


“They haven’t and they never will!” 


RAGE PR - TWO DAYS LATER


MICHAEL


I AM BACK ON TOP! I stretch out the cramps. My body’s still a bit janky after the prison cots, but everything is almost as it should be. I’ve got flies in the ointment with Lindsay stalling on the papers; a few clients have been saying they want to renegotiate their contracts, my clubs are closed and Justin is still going to work with Brian, plus now his show is going to be here and he’s invited Lindsay to join him. She’s going to be insufferable and will have a platform she in no way fucking deserves! 


“Hey, got something for you!” Kip skips in handing me his phone. I watch gleefully as Ted pleads for Ben to reconsider that they can make it work but he just leaves him blubbing in the diner. “So…”


“...okay you’ve redeemed yourself after losing the ex.” I declare. “We can’t do anything about the writing of the bio, but that will take some time to do. What we need is to line up the next person in Kinney’s life.” 


“We can’t use the kid again?” He frowns.


“Fuck no.” I shudder at the memory of the NDA that I had to sign whilst dialling Leon’s number. “Oh, hey, Leon, how are you? Great, yeah the last few days sucked but that’s in the past; I’m back! Anything at all on Blake? Fuck, where the hell is he?! No, no that wasn’t directed at you! I’m haemorrhaging money with the clubs closed. Anyway, I need some information on Emmett Honeycutt, the mincing prick that works for Kinney. There must be something on the guy I can use! We’ve got his mom and sister locked down. I cannot wait for Kinney’s empire to drown under the Rage PR tsunami!”


TED’S HOME - EVENING


BEN


I blow against the back of his neck, he chuckles and turns around. “It is good isn’t it?” 


“Howard’s book? It’s not good, it’s brilliant.” He mutters.


“Different styles, don’t doubt your talent.” I chide. 


“True…” He concedes then clears his throat. “...Charlie knew it would cause panic; why?” I roll over frowning when he shifts towards the bottom of the bed “Just getting the quilt, continue.”


We get comfortable, he pinches my nose. “A distant cousin had it, didn’t find out until after I punched him for calling me a faggot. He died within two years. It was horrible, we tried to help him but he refused.”


“I’m sorry.” His kiss is sweet and deep.


“Mmm, hopefully he’s at peace now. You were right about him, a nasty creature of habit.” 


“You mean Michael?” I nod. “Also too lazy to think of another way of doing something.”


“Him coming for Emmett is bad enough; calling him a mincing prick well…”


“...speaking of pricks. I need yours in me now!

 

End Notes:

If reviewing please be kind and constructive, thanks

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1637