The Call by MissMerlot
Summary:

 

It’s now 2019, and Brian Kinney is back in Pittsburgh. He left eight years ago on the eve of his 30th birthday for New York; all that remained in his loft were his clothes, mobile, and a video making his feelings for his family and friends clear. They couldn’t understand where this had come from, all efforts to contact him were rebuffed. Lindsay and Michael were especially devastated, Lindsay wanted to tell him about their baby and Michael was going to take his heart and courage in both hands and profess his love for Brian. 

 

So why is he back and what does Vic’s nursing assistant Justin Taylor have to do with it? .


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Daphne Chanders, David Cameron, Debbie Novotny, Emmett Honeycutt, George Shickel, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Joan Kinney, Justin Taylor, Kiki, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt, Tucker, Vic Grassi
Tags: 100k+ Word Count, Abuse/Child Abuse, Addiction/Alcoholism, Anal Beads, Anal Sex (Lots of it!), Anti-Debbie, Anti-Lindsay, Anti-Melanie, Anti-Michael, Anti-Ted, Bottom Brian, Business Brian, Celebratory Fuck, Drug Use - Recreational, Family, First Time (Sex), Fluff, Friendship, Hatred, HIV/Aids, Humiliation, Jealousy, Masturbation , Oral Sex, Raw Sex, Redeemed Behavior, Responsible Justin, Rimming, Slow Burn, Tearjerker, Toppy Justin, Vulnerable Brian, Vulnerable Justin
Genres: Angst w/ Happy Ending, Drama, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Porny, Romance
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Emmett/Other, Michael/David, Other Cast Pairing
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 52586 Read: 36496 Published: Jul 25, 2021 Updated: Feb 11, 2024

1. A Call by the Tipsy Trio Brings Him Back by MissMerlot

2. The Call of the Siren by MissMerlot

3. The Caller that Started it All by MissMerlot

4. A Call from the Past by MissMerlot

5. Plans are Made and Meetings Discussed by MissMerlot

6. Brothers, Mothers and the Wannabe Lover by MissMerlot

7. Calls - The Lies, The Shots, and the Never by MissMerlot

8. The Reason He Didn't, Leads to a Truce and a Plan by MissMerlot

9. The Greatest Reunion - in their Minds Anyway by MissMerlot

10. Say What Now by MissMerlot

11. A Family is Announced by MissMerlot

12. Gloves Start to Come Off and a Mischievous Mom by MissMerlot

13. Mothers Tongue Lash by MissMerlot

14. Asclepius and Aphrodite - AKA Brian and Deb, Hit His Gas and His Brakes by MissMerlot

15. He Bites and She's Back by MissMerlot

16. Reunited And It Feels So...Good? by MissMerlot

17. Dinner...Part 1 by MissMerlot

18. Dinner...Part 2 by MissMerlot

19. Dinner...Part 3 by MissMerlot

20. Maybe a Hook Up and Not Hanging Up by MissMerlot

21. Shots About to be Fired by MissMerlot

22. Dinners by MissMerlot

A Call by the Tipsy Trio Brings Him Back by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 1 - A CALL BY THE TIPSY TRIO BRINGS HIM BACK


BRITIN, WESTHO - EARLY MORNING


BEN’S ROOM


I get comfortable and put the movie on mute; sliding my hands under the sheets and into my boxers, I moan as I grasp my cock. Closing my eyes, I allow the vision to invade my brain. I stroke into tandem with the farmer and the farmhand. I’m just getting into it when the door knocks. “Go away! Busy!” I yell.


“Open the fuck up!” He bellows back. Fuming, I wrench it open. I’m confronted by a tearful Brian. “Vic’s dead.”


“Go back to your room, I’ll be there in a few. Let me call Jen then Eric, alright?”


“Okay.” He whispers.


Swallowing down my tears, I place the call. Hunter answers, giggling. “Hey, Buddy, can you get Nana?” I put it on speaker whilst I get dressed.


“Hi, Ben, this is early for you. Is he being a grouch?”


“Put me on speaker, please.”


“Oh no.”


“Yeah. Hunter, Hunter, can you hear me?”


“Yes, Uncle Ben, why is Nana sad? Is everything okay?”


“No. No buddy, it’s not. Do you remember that good friend Dad told you about in Pittsburgh?”


“Uncle Vic?”


“Yeah, and that he was sick like your Mom was?”


“He died, right?” Hunter sighs. “How’s Dad? When did it happen?”


“Bad, and I don’t know. He just told me.” I make my way to Brian’s room, he’s staring into space. “I’m sending Eric to pick you guys up and he'll fly us down. See you soon.”


“Bye; give Dad an extra big hug and kiss from both of us.”


“Thanks guys, really needed that.” Brian chokes out. I hang up, cursing his so-called family that he had to hear about it this way.


JUSTIN’S APARTMENT, PITTSBURGH - AFTERNOON


LOUNGE


EMMETT


I know I will be okay if I can open my eyes. Okay, just one and please, Lana, let my lashes remain in place!


“Emmett?” I turn and come up against something warm. “Do you hurt as much as me?”


“Why is it still so dark?” She mutters from the other side of the blow up mattress.


“The fort.” I croak, giving up the eye opening for now. “How the hell did you persuade me to make a fort?”


“You needed to practice. No more talking until we’ve brushed our teeth!” 


FORTY MINUTES LATER


Water and Advil have been taken. The fort has been dismantled - who knew that folding blankets and deflating a mattress could hurt so much? We exchange tired looks. “Terrible, just terrible!” I declare. “And I’m the adult in this situation!” 


Grins start to abound. “Mentally, you're still a twenty something.” Daph chuckles. “It was an excellent night!” She's still trying to get a bit more of the blanket from the hog that is Justin, he bats her hand away. “We’ve just folded the rest, share!” He concedes knowing her persistence. “I need my phone, where is it?” She sits up, scowling, we know why. “I need to check if he’s passed on the message that I was staying here instead of coming home.”


“True. I need to find mine as well. Ems, yours is charging in the kitchen.” 


I wobble across the hallway; whilst checking my messages, I sigh in relief that someone had set this up before the tequila, whisky and, I think, red wine was knocked back whilst torch singing. Thank goodness Justin lives in a house and not in an apartment, we were, if I’m honest, caterwauling till early dawn.


“Fucking fuckwit!” Daph snaps as she storms in with both phones. “Where’s Justin?”


“Judging by the running, and now flushing. I think he was in the bathroom chucking up.” I wait for her to take deep breaths. “Why does he do this?”


“Who has done what?” Justin still looks very green. “Michael?”


“Of course Michael. Dad was being Dad and panicking. I’ve got twenty three text messages and three voicemails, one instructing me what to say to the kidnappers! I’ve travelled through the Amazon, Guatemala and Iran, but from Pittsburgh airport is a perilous journey!” She rubs her temples. “Look, I’d better go. You two are the only good things that have come out of the relationship between him and Dad. Promise we’ll still be friends when I finally get him to dump his scrawny mangy ass?!”


“You have our words.” Justin croaks before just making it to the sink.


“Go, sweetie. I’ll deal with this. Give him a kick from me, please!” I gently shove Justin along so I can turn on the tap. “A hard one!”


“Oh, I will!” She calls out.


JUSTIN’S BEDROOM - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


The nurse in me is saying no more Advil, but the raging hangover is starting to win the battle for peace. 


“Here, take this instead.” Emmett brings up some orange juice. “All of it.”


He watches from the bottom of the bed. As usual, he’s right; with each sip I begin to feel better. “Thank God I don’t have to work today.” I sigh before wrinkling my nose. “Christ, I need a bath!”


“Can I hop in the shower after?” He mutters, his eyes drooping. “After another nap.”


“Sure.” I yawn whilst turning down the blankets. “Get in, I’ll set the timer for a couple of hours.”


“Oh thank Lana.” He starts to make his way up, then stops. “Phone.” He gripes, slowly making his way off the bed.


“It’s in your hand.”


“No, yours. Message.” He mumbles, heading back downstairs. He’s not long, handing it to me as he gets in. “What details do you need to send?”


I check but don’t recognise the number. “No idea, will sort it later, now I need sleep!”


“Let’s put them on silent. Have already texted Mel; the rest of them don’t bother with me until they need something.”


“Why do you deal with them? I’ve never understood it.” I spoon against him, he takes my hand against his chest. “I mean if it wasn’t for Vic, would you bother.”


“Nope. Now sleep!”


DAVID AND MICHAEL’S HOME - TWO HOURS LATER


MICHAEL


I wave at David as he comes in, he looks tired and drawn. “Hang on a second, what’s wrong?”


“Long day at work.” He replies tightly. “Who are you talking to?”


“Ma. We’re trying to figure out what to have for dinner before we watch our soaps and the Batwoman marathon.” He nods and sighs, which he does more than he smiles nowadays and it's really annoying me. “So what do you want to have, Ma?” I head towards the kitchen to pull out the menus. “Will you be long?” David clears his throat and I look up. “Hold another second, did you need anything else?”


“What is she being long for?” He asks as he takes the wine out of the fridge.


“Her bath.” I reply. He frowns at me. “Well, I could hardly go in and ask her, that would be weird.”


“As opposed to what exactly?” He tosses over his shoulder and strides out.


I roll my eyes at his grumpiness, then join him in being pissed as he’s finished off the white and there’s no more chilling. He knows we hate warm white and any kind of red! He could’ve had that instead; his selfishness is getting worse. Suddenly, there’s a scream and a door slams.


“Ma?! Are you okay?! What’s happened?!” I run into the hallway to find a red faced David coming down the stairs.


“Hang up; let’s talk in the kitchen.” David orders. 


“I want to check on Ma first!”


“Michael! Speak to David!” Ma calls from the bathroom. “He definitely needs brandy!”


TEN MINUTES LATER


DAVID


“I saw your Ma naked.” 


“Why?!” I demand. 


“I wanted a bath.” He grits out.


“I said she was having a bath, why would you go in there?!”


“Why would I go in there?! Because, naturally, I thought she would be using the guest bathroom. Why is she using ours?” 


“Oh. Um, well, I left our favourites in our bathroom, and we thought she might as well just stay there.”


“Michael, that space is ours. The guest bathroom is just down the hall, next to the guest bedroom.”


“It was one time.”


“That you know of, Dad. Who knows what he gets up to when you’re not here.” 


“Daphne!” I cry, pushing past Michael to check on her. “Where have you been? I was scared shitless when you didn’t come home!” She cocks an eyebrow, I turn to him. “We’ve discussed that too. How would you feel if I didn’t pass on a message from your Ma? She’s just as important to me, in fact, more so.”


“I didn’t know you felt like that about Ma!”


“He’s talking about me, gobdaw!” Daphne returns sourly. “You’re Ma ain’t no Goldilocks, she sleeps in her own bed!” 


“Hi, Daphne, when did you get back?!” Debs cries as she comes in. “Are you joining us for TV night?” 


“Hi, Debbie, I was hoping to take Dad out for a drink actually, tell him about my travels to deepest darkest New York.” She drawls before kissing my forehead. “I stayed with Justin and Emmett. They send their love.”


“Did you have a lot to drink? Do you need milk thistle or anything?” I know I’m fussing, but she’s my only child. Ever since her Mom died, it’s been the two of us against the world. I had hoped it would be the three of us, including Michael; however, she's just not warming to him. There’s been barely a thaw in the four years we’ve been together. She tolerates him because he makes me happy, most of the time.


“I’m fine, Dad, are you sure you’re not a tiny bit Jewish?” She teases. “Had a few more hours sleep; am ready for the next round. So are we going to Woody’s then?”


“Yeah, why not. I really don’t fancy cooking or takeaway.” I beam.


“Honey, I’ve told you before, call me Debs. As for cooking, why don’t I do that and you can tell us all about your trip?”


“I don’t want meatballs and pasta, Debbie. I want wings, fries, to ogle some unattainable men, and to have beer.”


“We have beer.” I open the fridge. “Your favourites, I got a 12-pack about three days ago, as a welcome back treat.” I groan as there’s only two left. “I’ll get some more.” I take them out. “In the meantime, put them in your room.”


“Thanks, Dad.” She gives Michael a lethal look. “And Debbie, let’s go take your things out of said room.”


I close the door behind them and count to three before daring to speak, I’m so annoyed. “I want you to tell your Ma to go home after Woody’s. We need to talk about boundaries. I will not have her invading Daphne’s space.”


“It was one time!” He exclaims.


“That I know of, Michael, that I know of.”


WOODY’S - LATE EVENING


MICHAEL


Finally, I get a break from Daphne being a sniping crone, but only because she’s with David at the bar! Ma pretended she had a headache and went after one drink. All evening she’s been pointing out things in her, not our, her home not being right. She's got the annexe, she doesn’t need to have a room in the house as well! 


“Hello, Michael, how are you doing?” I look up from my beer and give a small smile. “Oh no, what’s wrong?” He squeezes my shoulder as he sits down. “So tell me.”


“No, why don’t you tell me?!” A familiar voice thunders. “Tell me why the fuck you are alive and with him?!” 

 

“Brian!” Uncle Vic gasps. “What the hell are you doing here?!”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing, thank you.

The Call of the Siren by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 2 - THE CALL OF THE SIREN


UNCLE VIC


I grab my jacket and, taking advantage of the poleaxed Michael, rush after Brian; sadly by the time I make my way through the crowd he’s gone. I see a cab and grab it; I have to get somewhere safe to find out why he’s back!


MICHAEL


Brian, Brian’s in Pittsburgh! I need to get to Ma and tell her! In my haste, I drop my phone. By the time I find it, not only is it a mess, Uncle Vic is gone.


“Here, got you something from the tap.” As Daphne puts it down, I shake my head. “Are you leaving?” I would say something about her hopeful joy, but this is more important!


“Need to speak to Ma!” I scowl as David blocks me. “David, I need to get to Ma!”


“What on earth has happened? Is she injured?!” 


“Brian’s back! She’ll want to know, and Uncle Vic owes us an explanation! I’ll see you later! Move, David!” I order, pushing past him, like he did me earlier. My heart pounds because the love of my life is back, and I’m determined that he stays!


DAVID


“No, let him run home to Mommy.” I declare as Daph starts to follow. “Let’s get another round of these, and you can tell me about your trip.” 


“No more of these. Let’s get home and talk.” She replies, drinking quickly, indicating I should do the same. My confusion shows. “That way we can enjoy The Full Fifteen without his vinegary visage pooping in my picnic.”


“How many bottles?” I smile, helping her to finish his discarded beer.


“Sixteen.”


“You carried sixteen bottles of wine back?! That’s it, you’re going to see Gerard for a massage first thing in the morning!”


“Dad! Of course not, I carried three. There were thirteen at home.” She steers me out, shaking her head. 


“Why didn’t you tell me about them? I could’ve done with a glass during my mini meltdown.”


“Because it’s bad enough I’m sharing you with him; he’s not having any of our favourite!”


“He doesn’t like red wine.” I remind her, signalling for a cab. She steps in, scowling. “He doesn’t, neither of them do, as they've mentioned many, oh so many, times.”


“Dad.” She links our arms. “They like red wine; they just don't like the red wine that’s out . You had three major adjustments while I was gone. There were two full bottles before I left, now there is half of one. You never drink red when you’re adjusting.” 


“She might have cooked with it.” I suggest. Daphne scoffs. “Good point, but at least that would’ve added a bit of taste to those balls of hers!”


“She’s the only Italian mother I know who can’t cook! In fact, the only Italian mother thing she’s good at is smother-loving that boyfriend of yours. If only she’d use a pillow!”


I’m fine until I catch the cabbie’s eye. Soon we’re all hooting with laughter.


DEBS’S HOUSE - FORTY MINUTES LATER


KITCHEN


DEBS


We’re both quiet. I try Vic again, still no answer. “Top me up too!” I declare as he seems set to finish off the wine. 


“Sorry, Ma; I can’t believe it after all this time!” He shakily sits. “Is there anymore?”


“No, got beer, some of her faves!” I snark, he smirks. “What a fucking princess she is! How do you put up with her?” I kiss his cheek then open the beer. “Finish the wine first, honey.” As always, he does as he’s told with me. He’s such a good boy. “How did he look?”


“Apart from furious? He looked so good, Ma, so good.” He sighs dreamily, I hold my tongue on his continued mooning over Brian fucking Kinney. “In fact, he looks better! You’ve always said he was too skinny! He’s filled out!” 


“Finally learned to eat food rather than dick and ass then?!” I bitch. When he scowls slightly, I squeeze his hand. “Honey, he's been putting it about since junior high, don’t pretend otherwise. Now what did he say exactly?”


“Can’t remember; was too shocked, but the gist was why was Uncle Vic still alive and with me.” He nods at my phone, which is flashing. “Is it Uncle Vic?”


“No.” I sigh crossly, turning it face down again like I always do when I’m with my Michael. “I know, try social media!”


“What good will that do?” He calls out, heading for the laptop. “God, look at the time, we can do that after. We’ve got soaps and the marathon to watch!”


“You’re staying the night?!” I try not to sound too happy, but I can’t help it. I love having him back home.


“Might as well, he’s going to be pissy anyway.” My smile falters. “I think another boundaries, decorum and respect for his princess chat is on the horizon.”


“Respect works both ways; notice he let that Goldilocks snipe go without comment?!”  


“I did, and speaking of sleeping, I’ll have to leave early; make like I was on the sofa. You know what he's like; he likes me to sleep at our home now I’ve finally moved in.”


“Still don’t see why you have to live so far out. Takes me two buses and a cab to get there!”


“It’s near his practice.” He grumbles as he sets up. “I’m going to talk to him again about letting you use the practice service, it's not as if you’d use it all the time!”


“Exactly. Now come on, enough about boyfriends and ungrateful bastard best friends. It’s Ma and Michael time!”


“Yeah!” He whoops, covering us with the afghan and hitting play.


VIC’S HOME - FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


VIC


“Okay, thanks, Lisa. No, really, thank you. Sorry to have called so late, but you know the story.” I sit down and finally give way to tears. He looked utterly devastated; no heartbroken. Heartbroken and disappointed. 


My phone beeps again. I reread Debs’s text, knowing full well that her nestle-cocked runt ran whining to her, still not willing to admit it was him who chased Brian away. And I mean chased. Everywhere Brian went, he was. It was like he had him bugged or something! On the very rare occasions he got away, they were calling, demanding his return. Well, that bit them in the ass big time; for it was the night of Brian’s surprise birthday dinner, for which he was very late, that their frustrations boiled over.


Oh, how they lambasted and vilified him from pillar to post. No matter what Emmett and I tried to say, we were shouted down by the Five Horsebitches of Monstrosity. But when they said that he deserved the abuse he suffered as a child, and how shit a father he was going to be, but since he would most likely die and leave Gus something he'd do for now, that was it, we left. And so seemingly did Brian as we never saw or heard from him again, well they didn't.


The first inkling that something was wrong was the next afternoon. He wasn’t in the diner, nor was he answering their calls. Lindsay decreed that we should all go to the loft and confront the selfish asshole after all they did for him. When we got there, she and Michael were fighting over who was going to use their keys. It was only Mel pointing out that it was ajar that stopped them. Panic set in because he would never leave his loft like that. 


We found it pristine, as usual, but with a podcast blaring from the bathroom.


Start of flashback

BRIAN’S LOFT - EIGHT YEARS AGO


VIC


“BRIAN!” I hammer on the door.


“For fuck sake, Brian, come out of there! You owe us an explanation after all we did for you!” Michael screams.


“Everyone shut up!” Debs orders, moving me to one side. “Brian! It’s Debs, open the door or we’ll shoulder it in!” Still the podcast plays; her scowl starts to be replaced by fear. “You don’t think?”


“Move!” Emmett orders. “Michael! Ted! Come on!”


“Come on what?! That’s an oak door!” We're never getting that in!” Michael screeches.


“For crying out loud!” Mel snaps. “Anyone got a penny?!” I hand her one. “You’ve got two seconds, or I'm jimmying it, asshole!” Nothing. “Fine, if you're smoking in there, I shall drown you in your toilet!” 


It takes her five minutes to do the lock, during which we are imagining all sorts. When it opens, it’s empty, apart from his phone. She switches it off. “He would never go anywhere without this. The only thing that is closer to him than it is you, Michael. So where the hell is he?!”


“His clothes are still here!” Lindsay calls out. We join her in the bedroom. “Can’t have gone far or for long.”


“Guys!” Emmett is pointing at the TV. “There’s a note. It says, sit down and hit play.”


“I prefer to stand!” Lindsay snipes as I find the remote.


On screen is Brian. He’s pacing back and forth with a bottle of Beam in his hand. “So, my dearest two best friends, my mother, uncle, Honeycutt and Schmidt, so lovely, utterly lovely of you to throw that dinner. I was late as usual, but I had a good reason. I was buying you presents, but I’ve returned them. I heard every word you said. So here’s my final words to you - play Reel Big Fish.” The screen goes black before we all jump as the sounds of someone singing fuck you fills the room.


It takes us a few minutes to shut the music off before we contemplate what he’s said. “He can’t seriously have gone? Over a few drunken words!” Ted scoffs. “I knew he was a drama queen, but come on, everyone says fucked up stuff when drunk!”


“This is Brian Kinney!” I declare. “He never changes his mind!”


“He does, he’s just being a queenly queef!” Ted retorts.


“Ted!” Emmett shouts before stalking to the door. “I said that you would go too far, now you have! Get off that shit and pull the rest of your life together! He would never say such a thing about you, about any of us. You're disgusting!”


After he slams out, Ted rolls his eyes, his red rimmed eyes, and shrugs.”Well I’m going to bed, call me when he’s surfaced.”


Except there was no call. Nothing. It was only when the loft was sold that they began to realise he was never coming back. 


Except he did, once, I got sick; not too bad, but enough to be hospitalised. I told Debs and Michael not to come, as I knew I would be out soon; they didn’t, but he did. Late one night I opened my eyes and there he was, 


“How did you get here?” I whisper, patting the bed. He doesn’t move. “Brian.”


“Got a call. You okay?”


“Who from?” 


“Doesn’t matter. The person knew to call.” He starts to leave. “I thought you loved me.” He whispers. “Of all people, I thought you did.”


“I do!” I sob. “Oh son, how long were you out there?”


“Long enough.” He closes the door. Again, I pat. Whilst he does sit, he’s against the door and on the floor.


“They’re not returning from the convention. I insisted.” He snorts, I feel him roll his eyes. Nobody understands how Debs suddenly became interested in all things convention, having been bored to bloody tears before. We’re quiet for a while, then I have a thought. “Kiki! It was Kiki, wasn’t it?” He stands and turns on the light. My heart breaks, as he looks exhausted. “I want you to promise me to never come back.” He looks surprised. “This is our goodbye. I give you my word, I won’t tell them you were here.” 


“Thank you. And no, this isn’t our goodbye. I want to say it properly.” He sits by my side and writes something down. “My new number. Ring three times when I need to come back.” He kisses my forehead and gives me a hug, he’s skin and bone! “Tell Kiki I’m disconnecting that number.” I hold him tighter and shake my head. “What?”


“The convention is in Spokane, so go to mine, get some sleep. And eat before you leave. I want a promise you will do that.”


“My word is my Bond, James Bond.” He quips. With one more kiss to my head, he’s gone. 

End of flashback


When I got home two days later, not only did he keep his word, but he also restocked the fridge and freezer, and had the apartment cleaned from top to bottom. And, of course, left a crate of Beam.


“Oh for fuck sake!” I snap as my phone rings. I send Michael to voicemail. When I listen to it, I grab my things and decide to go see a friend. “It’s bad enough dealing with you shrill and sober. Drunk, shrill and demanding will have me disowning you!”


AN HOUR LATER


As the cab pulls up outside my friend’s, I spot the ambulance driving away. Panicking, I throw money at the cabbie and run up the path! “George! George!” I scream into the house. “Where are you? What’s happened?!”


“Vic! Oh Vic! Lounge, come quickly!” I run inside and almost faint, for sitting there, looking somewhat battered is Brian!


“What the fuck?!” I gasp.


“He hit me with his car.” Brian drawls. “So now you have me captive, wanna explain?”

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks

The Caller that Started it All by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 3 - THE CALLER THAT STARTED IT ALL


BRIAN


“First, how did you hit him with your car!” Uncle Vic demands of my assailant.


“He ran across my path, I wasn’t going too fast though. He’s going to have severe bruising. Why are you here?” 


“What’s your name, for the insurance?” I demand, my ribs are making it hard to breathe.


“Oh, George. George Schickel. You two seem to know each other.” 


I look at my watch then the door. “Are we expecting anyone else?” I growl.


“This is Brian, and no, why would we be?” Uncle Vic is shaking. “Can I have a large vodka, George?”


“Just seems a little coincidental that I get a call, you aren’t dead but with him, and someone you know tries to kill me.”


“Kill is a little strong! If you hadn’t been so distraught, then perhaps you would’ve seen where you were going. Now what had you so upset? Excuse me, dead? Why would Vic be dead? No! You’re not that Brian, are you?!” He knocks back the drink he prepared for him, who pours his own and gives it to me. “I can’t believe it! Who the hell called him?!” 


“Uncle Vic, sit down.” I order trying to get up, but my ribs won’t let me. “Fuck!”


“Vic, sit, Brian, stay.” George orders. “Did you call the hospital?”


“Yes, spoke to Lisa, it wasn't them. They know not to make a mistake like that.” He scrubs his face looking tearful. “And the only other person couldn’t. I promise you, I didn’t set this up.” 


“You promise, on the soul of Rodney you didn’t?” I ask quietly. They both gasp. “On his soul?”


“Yes. I promise on his soul, how did you know about Rodney?” He sniffs.


“Same way I knew to come back the first time.” I see my phone flash, but can’t move. “A little help.” George leaps to my side. “Who is it?”


“Ben.” He hands it to me. “Unlock it, I’ll dial and hold it so you can speak to him.” 


“Thanks, face recognition.” He holds it up, then puts him on speaker,


“Brian? Please be Brian!” He bellows.


“It’s me.” My eyes prickle at his tearful voice. 


“He’s coming, you know what he's like when he’s worrying about you!” 


“How many times?” I smile.


“Twenty seven. Please, just say hi.”


“Hey, buddy, am okay, be back soon. Ben, can you send Blake to, um, where are we?”


“No, I’m coming, give me the address.” 


“George?” I prompt.


“Bucklesbury Manor, Autumn Lane Path, PA, 44838. Will you be long?” He looks concerned at me. “And can you bring any medication he normally takes, extra strong?”


“Yeah, hang on.” He mutters to someone. Judging by the swears, that's Jen. “Will be right there.”


“Thanks. See you soon.” I sink back against the seat: we watch each other quietly. “So who else has the number?”


“Nobody. I swear nobody else has it.” Vic explains, lip wobbling. “Please believe me.”


“I do. Not too hard, okay?” He flies to my side and I sob into his shoulder. 


“I’ll go wait for Ben.” George gently closes the door behind him.


VIC


“So what were you doing at this end of town?” I haul a chair closer and hold his glass up. 


“Rented a house, up the way.” He sighs and winces. “We’ll be going back in a week. Must cancel the wreath.” 


“Please do.” I chuckle, then grimace as Michael calls again. I’m about to send it to voicemail when he shakes his head. “Michael, what is it?!” I demand, putting the phone between us.


“Finafuckingly! Where the buggering hell have you been, you dick?!” Debs surly slurring voice makes us scowl. “You’ll be schoming to the, no, we're coming to you and you're splaining to us!” Michael is yelling in the background. “Shush, Baby, Ma’s got this! Ma’s gonna sort it for us! And you needs David speak, tell, tell him about car, too old for this shit!” 


We wait for her to continue, but she doesn’t.


“Uncle Prick!” Michael sneers, then starts sniffing. “He looked so good, so hot and so good. Want him, want him so bad. Glad him back, you’ll help, won’t you? Please me, me to help make Brian see.” He sighs heavily. “We’re going to bed now, come on, Ma, let’s go, it’s snuggle time.” Debs mutters something before he cuts us off.


“Snuggle time.” He looks queasy. “They don’t, do they?”


“A lot has changed in their relationship since you’ve been gone.” I finish my drink. “And everyone else’s. Another?”


“Hmm.” He does his thousand yard stare, which means a big question is coming. “Did it take?”


“Yes. He’s called Gus.” He looks relieved. “The flowers! That was you?!” He nods. “I was wracking my brains trying to think when I changed the order to those!” 


“Only the best for your best friend.” He clinks my glass. “Is that why she didn’t go, because he replaced her in your attention?” I grip the glass. “She was always jealous where you were concerned. Christ, she hated it when I spent time with you.” 


“Yeah, just wanted it to be the three of us. I had no desire to become the third wheel in their tricycle!” I snipe, he giggle-snorts. “It got worse after you left, she clung tighter to him. Of course, being the mewling moron he is, he loved it. All the attention on him. But what really began the rot was when I refused to help buy his store. That’s why she hated Rodney so much. I talked to him about it. Oh she was so furious that I was talking family stuff with a stranger.” 


“You’d known him since your senior year!” He seethes, no doubt remembering the jags of her jealousy whenever Joan would be sober enough to be a loving Mother and dote on him. “He talked you out of it?”


“Nope, I simply said no.”


“Because? I mean, apart from it being a stupid idea!”


“Didn’t give her one, just said my money, my house, saying no. She remortgaged hers: so now it's theirs and thriving!”  


“They’re in business together?! That’s insane! Ow-fuck-ow!” 


“That's more than ribs!” I declare. “Let me get George, why did he send the ambulance away?”


“Cos I told him to.” He slowly leans forward. “Cushion, cushion might help.” 


“Why? Oh, I see, it would be Alleghany and Debs still having some clout.”


“Me incapacited. Not enough drugs in the world, and having heard that I’d be too afraid to sleep!”


“Brian!” The door bursts open and a hulk of a man strides towards us. George is drooling behind him, which I'm not fine with, but first things first! “You muppet, why didn’t you take a cab or call Kip?”


“I did, but he started to say how familiar I looked, so I got out.” 


“Ah, I see.” He nods before turning to me. “Looking pretty fly for a corpse. I'm Ben, he’s told me so much.” He pulls out his phone, handing it to me. “Can you take it, please? Just me and him. Then I can send it before he goes to sleep.” I do so, we wait for a few seconds before he chuckles. “Think we can allow him that one, eh?” He turns his screen, and although I can't see who it’s from, I can see the words wanging wanker and splutter. “Yeah, he picked that one up far too early!”


“Have you got his pills?” George simpers. I arch a brow, he tucks a non-existent tendril behind his ear when Ben nods. “I’ll just get some water then.” 


We watch him leave. “Cute, but way too old for me.” Ben declares loud enough for him to stop swishing and walk normally. “Reckon you’ve done your back too?” He grabs another cushion. “Brian, shuffle forward a little, not lean, shuffle.” Slowly he moves. “Get that down on his lower back, some support for a bit.” When it’s in position, Brian looks much happier. “Thanks, George.” He smiles as he takes the water and hands me a bottle. “Tramadol.” I whistle, this is serious stuff. “Needs two.”


“One. Had vodka.” Brian states. He chuffs a laugh at my pause. “Yeah, me being sensible with booze and drugs. There’s a reason. Maybe you'll see before we leave.”


“I would like that.” I snicker as we both watch him take the pill. “What did you do to your back that these are needed?”


“Snowboarding.” Ben laughs, Brian glowers. “Like he said, you may meet the reason.” He looks at his watch. “About ten minutes and you’ll be able to move a bit better. I can call Phil, but it might be a while before he gets here.”


“Once I'm flat, will be fine.” He sighs, and we lapse into silence, each trying not to hawkeye him. 


“What about David, maybe he can help?”


“David? As is Michael’s David?” I exclaim, but then think logically. He's the best in the Burgh.


“I don't want Michael's David’s hands on me! This implies that he’s touched him in a way that gives me nightmares!”


“Poor bloke, but she’s beginning to get to him now.” George titters.


“He sounds like he gets to most people!” Ben bitches. 


“No, David is being got at by Daphne, his daughter. Disliked onsight, both of them.”


“We must take her to dinner!” Ben quips, before starting to relax a bit. “Kicking in?” He mops Brian’s brow, who smiles and nods. “Good, another five and you should be able to stand.”


“But seriously, he’s the best chiropractor.” I cajole whilst George claps Ben on the back. “Listen, he won’t say anything to Michael or Debs. Client confidentiality primarily, but mostly they're not remotely interested in what he does, just what he can provide!” I fume at their continued leeching of a decent man. 


George clears his throat. “If he sees you at the hospice, then that’s even better.”


“Let me guess: For all their extolling of being oh so pro, all gas and air?!” Brian sneers before inhaling sharply. “Okay, let’s do this! I can’t do another fucking day of this!”


“Thank you, let me give you his number.” 


“Speaking of numbers.” George ponders. “Maybe you’d recognise it, Vic?”


“Good idea.” Brian hands it to me, and for a few seconds, I stare, then start to sob. “Help me get there!” He orders. Between the two of them, they get him wrapped around me: like him earlier, he rocks me as I weep. “She with you?” 


“Yeah, two minutes.” 


JENNIFER


“What the fuck is going on?!” I demand as Ben opens the door. “Stand him down!” I fume that he brought him with us. “I would’ve been calmness personified, he was entirely unnecessary!”


“Pharaoh, relax.” He orders. He obeys, and turns into the bundle of mush I know and love. “Now wait, we’ll be back.” He helps me out. “We need a Mom’s touch.” He grabs a couple of hankies: I inhale sharply. “Not for him! His friend, we showed him the number and he’s broken down.” 


I nod. Once I’m introduced to George, I send him to make some coffee, with honey, chocolate saying I’d do the whiskey. Vic is calmer but still somewhat mute.


“I need you to say when, okay, Vic?” He doesn't react, so I squeeze his hand: still nothing,


“Give it to me.” Brian orders. I hand him the bottle: he holds it over the mug. As it starts to get to the brim, I begin to panic. 


“When, when.” Vic declares, giving Brian a slightly baleful glance. “How the hell am I supposed to drink that?”


“Straw?” He suggests. “Ow!” He yelps at the quick flick to his ear. Ben and I chuckle. “I was being serious, there’s straws over there!”


“I’ll get them.” George divvies up the coffee between the pair of them. “You’re officially staying, Vic.” Vic nods then sips before tearing up again, I give him a few seconds. “Whose number is it?” 


“Rodney’s.” He shudders a breath. “I was so convinced that I would predecease him that I gave him your number. After he died: it’s been years, I just, I just didn’t remember. Sorry, Brian.”


“That explains the who, but not the why.” I point out. “Let me call it and see who it is, maybe his estate sold it.”


“Maybe.” He whispers, sipping some more.


“Right, I’m going to put this on speaker. If it isn’t picked up, prepare yourself as it might go to voicemail. This may be a scammer, if it is they’d have left it. You know, the human touch?” I check the number and start to tap it out, frowning as I do so. 


“Jen, you okay?” Ben asks. I nod, but something feels familiar: as it rings and rings, the feeling gets stronger. “Jen, what is it?” He demands as I groan and pray.


“Pick up, pick it up!” 


“Hey. Hey, Mom, one sec!” The music and water are turned. “Just the person I wanted to talk to. The hardest part of this job is when you lose them. Grammy Binks passed away, just got back. It was a nice send off. I got so much food! You know me, Iove to eat away my sorrow.”


“Yes, yes,  I know. I need you to answer a question: why did you call the number I’m about to give you?” 


“You called me.” He laughs. “Hang on, just adjusting position.” I scowl at the rustling and Brian’s about to explode. I grip my glass at the sound of wine being opened and poured. “Ah, that’s more like it.”


“Why did you call the number?!” I growl.


“Again, you called me.” He retorts.


“For crying out loud, Justin! Focus!” I snap, holding my hand to stall any questions. “Why did you call 209 669 8080.”


“Oh, got it, say again.” I repeat through gritted teeth, the seconds stretch on. Just as my patience is about to snap: I hear that oh so familiar, but not oft heard, oh shitcrap gasp of his. “Ah, that one, called it a few days back. Super early. Very drunk. How’d they find you?” The toilet seat bangs down. “Seriously, who tattles about this? I never even left a message!”


“Well if you had, it would’ve saved a lot of grief!” I snarl. “It’s Brian’s number!”


“Brian? Who the - Brian as in your Brian, the one you told me about with the shitty friends and family?” 


“Yes.” I soften my tone. “How did you get it?”


“It was on the phone. I forgot all about it. Oh, Mom, can I speak to him to explain? Dear God, he must feel terrible! Wait. Where are you?”


“Pittsburgh, and yeah I feel terrible!” Brian snaps. “You should've called back! I got into an accident because of you!”


“An accident? Oh shit! I’m so sorry, sorry just sorry.” His voice catches. “Look, Mom, let me call back. Just give me a few, okay?”


“You’ve got five minutes!” Brian retorts, and I hang up. Nobody says a word. 


“Okay, Vic, I think I  know how this happened.” Now it’s my turn to be tearful. “Was he Rodney Rodders Clements? Paralysed from the chest down, used to be a marine?” I close my eyes when Vic nods. “He was his first, Justin’s I mean, straight out of nursing school, looked after him for eight years. He was devastated when he died, even more so when he missed the funeral. He was sick himself. The phone arrived a month later, he left it to him, as he had liked it so much.” 


Ben gives me a hug and we sit in silence waiting for the call. “I want  to say sorry for shouting at him, it was just an unfortunate coincidence.” 


“Thanks, Brian. Prompt as usual.” I smile as it rings, however, instead of a contrite son, there’s a spirited debate happening between him and someone else.


“Sunshine! You’re not taking the blame! It was me who dialled, and therefore me who should apologise, now give it! Seriously, will knock that bubble butt into a cocked hat!”


“You’d better listen, he's more than capable!” A nervy looking Brian shouts and Vic’s incredulous. This I don’t understand. “Give him the phone, I want to thank him anyway!” Vic frowns, we wait for it to be handed over. 


“Thank you! So to whom am I speaking?”


“Brian.” There’s a gasp followed by silence. “You gonna talk to me?”


The someone breathes deep. “Where’d you end up?”


“New York, now in Cali.” 


“You happy?”


“Very.” 


VIC


“Emmett, what is he thanking you for?” I demand.


“Vic? What are you doing with Brian?” He gasps. “How long has this been going on? Oh God, does he know? Is that why he’s back?”


“No, he doesn't know! I’ve not gotten round to that yet. Tell me why is he thanking you?”


“What don’t I know? As for why, I was on the roof when you guys came around. I heard Ted and wanted a short knuckledusting chat!” 


“And I told him to leave, as he was not worth the shitty splat he would make! Oh I get it now. No! I won’t let you do this! Brian, you can’t take Gus away from us, we adore him! He’s our life for land sakes! I beg you don’t do this!!”


“WHAT ARE YOU HANDNAGGING ABOUT HONEYCUTT?”


“Handnag - fuck me it’s been a lifetime since, no matter, back on topic, I’m helping with Gus.”


“Are you screwing with me? No, I must have misheard, you are helping Melanie Marcus with her and Lindsay’s child? Why?”


“Let me explain, Ems.” I sigh and pour more coffee into his mug. “Lindsay left after two years. Took the insisted on policy, cashed it, and was gone: now lives in Texas as part of a power dyke couple. She wants nothing to do with either of them.” 


“What’s wrong with him?” Brian demands. “Must be something bad for her to leave?”


BRIAN


“He’s perfect! The image of you and that’s the problem.” Uncle Vic starts to pace. I can hear Honeycutt sniffing. “The day you left, Lindsay had taken a test and thought she was pregnant, but she wasn’t.” I grab Ben’s arm, hissing he prises me off. “A few months of badgering later, she wore her down and Mel carried Gus.”


“I thought she couldn’t though, she had endometriosis.” I whisper. 


“You knew about that?” Uncle Vic sounds surprised.


“Yeah, so, so why did she leave and Mel carry?” I stammer, trying to fathom why she would’ve done this.


“Mel didn't think she would get pregnant, so figured that saying yes, trying and failing would get Lindsay to shut up.” Emmett declares. “But she did. Once we’d all gotten over the shock, they were happy, all was good. Especially as, in Mel’s then eyes, you were out of the picture.  For a couple of years it continued to be wonderful until they wanted another baby. Lindsay was going to carry, she’d been on maternity leave to bring up Gus whilst Mel built up her practice, well that’s what she said she was doing. Bonding, she said, hah, if that’s what that’s called these days!”


“Ems.” Uncle Vic chides. “Stay on the topic, stop getting how you get over this.” 


“Fine, I will not fetch for a minute or two!” He clears his throat, there’s rustling and patting, I can't help the snigger. “What so damn funny?”


“You’ve sat down, with a cushion in your lap, legs tucked under, using the cushion as a stress ball.” 


“Anyway!” He huffs. “Lindsay discovers that she can’t have children.”


“And expected Mel to carry again and she said no?” Jen asks.


“Not quite. Her pregnancy was rough, she was on bed rest for the last three months. You can imagine how well that went down!” George explains, much to my surprise. “I’ve known Vic for over eight years, he’s filled me in on the family dynamic. So she had a hysterectomy soon after, which couldn’t be reversed.”


“For about a year, she seemed to accept it, but in reality, she was so jealous since he loves her more. He’s so like his Daddy.” Ems chuckles. “Which means showing his feelings, pure Kinney.” I try to ignore the prompting looks Jen and Ben are giving me, but Vic doesn’t. Of course Honeycutt being Honeycutt can pick up an uncomfortable or knowing silence in seconds. “Brian, would, would you like to see him?”


“She’d never let me, so why set myself up for that?”


“She talks about you to him all the time.” Emmett has a smile in his voice. Both George and Uncle Vic are nodding.


“Why?” I refuse to have hope, there’s gotta be a sucker punch coming. This is Melanie Marcus, who hates me more than life itself!


“Because he asked and she promised never to lie about you.” Emmett replies.


“So he’s expecting to meet an unmitigated selfish, asshole of a drug addled slut who will be lucky to reach forty?” 


“Who cleaned up his act and became that man I knew you would. So what time do you want to meet your son?” 


“Mel!” I exclaim. “This is too much of a fucking coincidence, get me out of here!” I haul myself up, but crumple to the ground screaming in pain. I take a few breaths to calm down, but can’t. “Ben! Ben!” I start to feel sick. “I can’t feel my legs!”

 

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively, thanks.

A Call from the Past by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 4 - A CALL FROM THE PAST


BRIAN


I can hear two things, someone breathing deeply in my ear, and humming. There's also a weight on my side. I open my eyes, but don’t recognise the ceiling. I swallow back tears, I still can’t feel anything below the waist. As the door opens, I close my eyes. Hopefully, whoever this is will leave as quickly and quietly as they came. The weight on my side shifts. A wet nose is stuck in my ear. I keep still and the door shuts. I try to shove Pharaoh off the bed with one hand as he’s now sitting on my arm. “I don’t need anything else paralysed, get down!” 


“You’re not paralysed.” Slowly I look at him. “It’s a herniated disc.” He looks nervous as he approaches, only hesitating when Pharoah looks at him. “I won’t hurt him, I promise.” Slowly, Pharaoh starts to relax. “What is he?” 


“Pharaoh hound.” I clip out, nerves making me terse.


“Called Pharaoh, typically efficient.” We lapse into silence, I look at the wall. “I missed you.” He sits and takes my hand. “I missed you. I always knew where I stood, you didn’t say much, you’d just look.” I cock an eyebrow, he chuckles. “I’d know that I shouldn’t do or say whatever it was.” I tug my hand free. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that.” 

 

“You silly little Queen.” I whisper, oh how I hate it when he cries. “What do I need to bollock you for?”


“I did the same as you, but I miss him so much. I’m scared about what befelled him!” The door opens again and I gape, he looks over his shoulder and smiles. “And this is the man that confirmed the disc thing! Brian Kinney, meet David Cameron, osteopath and chiropractor extraordinaire!”


“Thank you, Emmett. How are you feeling, Mr Kinney?”


“Relieved I’m not paralysed.” I admit. “But why can’t I feel anything?”


“I’ve given you a blocker, I will reduce it over the next couple of days. You will get feeling back but slowly.”

 

“How long am I looking at? Will you get down!” I growl at Pharaoh. He moves from my arm to my stomach. “One second. Ben!” I bellow, and he’s in immediately. “Could you?”


“Walkies!” Pharaoh’s at his feet in seconds. “Don’t discuss anything until I get back. Be ten minutes, maybe get him something to eat. It’s been a while since he has had some.”


“Good idea. Let me see.” David looks at his watch. “It’s been four days, you need light but solid food.”


“Four days!” I gasp. “What about the reason?” 


“With Jen and Blake. I said I would ring Vic and George when you woke up. Can I do that?”


“Yeah.” My mind starts to race. “Where are we?” 


“The hospice, only we know.” Ben explains, but still not looking at me, which means one thing.

 

“What did I do? Let me see Ben.” Slowly he does, he’s sporting a huge black eye. “Ah, shit! Come closer and let me check!” 

 

“It’s not that bad, nothing beats snowboard-nose.” He’s smiling as he approaches, the nearer he gets the better I feel. His eye is a little red but there’s no cuts, just bruising. “Stop tripping, it will fade.”


“Can I come in?” A voice calls. “Have some mint tea. I can rustle up something, he must be starving now.”.


“Come on in, Sunshine!” Emmett stands. “I can help you sit him up, Benjamin, I'm stronger than I look.”


“Thank you, Emmett. Let me and Sun - Justin show you how, so when we’re not here you can do it.” 


“Okay, let me put this down.” Sunshine states, coming into view. “Hi. Nice to have you with us. Before I move you, I’m really sorry about not calling back.”


“I’m sorry for shouting at you.” I reply before having a thought. “I must stink!” 


“Nope, you’re as fresh as a daisy.” He smiles. “I heard about your approach to cleanliness! We made sure that you didn’t have to fuss about that.”


“We?” I blink rapidly. 


“Yep.” He doesn’t elaborate who the we was, just gets on the opposite side to David. “Right, what we need you to do, Brian, is lift your arms and put them over our shoulders, let us do the work. Take a deep breath, on three.” A minute later, not only am I upright, it didn’t hurt at all. “Right, let’s get you back down and you guys try.” After about ten minutes of up and down, thankfully God, without any pain, David and Justin are satisfied that they can do it properly. “Think the tea is cold, let me get that heated up and start the food. Come on, Ems.”

 

“Honeycutt.” He pauses. “We will talk later, okay?” He nods, then follows him out. “So, Doc, what’s the verdict?”

 

“Sedating was the best thing for you. As Ems said, it’s herniated. It will heal, but you need rest and physio, which is where Justin comes in. He’s one of the best.”


“How’d you know him?” I ask.


“He works for me. He didn’t at first, met him about seven years ago through Rodney Clements, who started to get feeling back. Justin worked with him to keep that feeling. He managed with a walker before he died. Proudest achievement.”


“Uh huh. What kind of exercises, and how long will it be before I get out of bed?” 


“Out of bed will depend on you, but will reduce the blocker from this evening. As long as you don’t move about too much, and, more importantly, do as Justin tells you, you should be out of bed within a week.” 


“Thanks.” He nods and leaves. 


“Can you get me to the bathroom? My mouth feels like a sewer!” With a grin, Ben gently assists me into the chair. I feel more myself having had a piss and brushed my teeth. “I need to know, anything else I have to apologise for?” I ask as he takes a seat.

 

“Nothing, as for Gus. He’s gonna send me a photo when you ask.” I huff in annoyance folding my arms. “The huffing and arm crossing, it has a name. The Novocross.” He’s chuckling and head scratching as they’re unfolded. “Said you’d do that. Seems nice.”

 

“He is.” I look at him again. “His skills have improved.” I point at his eye. “Take it off.” Sighing, he heads to the bathroom. Two minutes later, he’s back and I’m wincing. “You got it checked, no broken socket.”


“Nope.”


“Can you get him to send the photo, please?” 


“Oh, thank God!” He shrieks. “Let me in please!” .


“Get in here Honeycutt!” He hands me his phone with a smile, but it’s tinged with sadness. “It’s his birthday, the code.” I nod and key it in. His smile brightens a bit as he sits next to me. “Where do you want to start?”


“At the beginning.” Twenty minutes later, Ben has every picture of Gus on his phone, he’s been giving me the look for the last ten minutes. “Can you show him?”


“Show me what?” Emmett gently moves me forward to plump the pillows. 


“The reason.” Ben answers. “Put in your digits and I’ll send it.”

 

A minute later, he’s open mouthed and Ben is stopping him from hitting the floor. “Who’s that!”

 

“Hunter. I adopted him when he was four. He’s eight now.”


“Has Vic seen him?” 


“Nope.”


“Why show me first!” He’s not taken his eyes off the screen. “Oh, you look so very happy, the three of you! Is there a three of you?”


“No, there's not. Brian and I are best friends, with no benefits, as my eye can testify!” 


“May I show Vic?” I nod, expecting him to text, but he opens the door. “Vic, come!” 


“You need to tell Jen.” I murmur. “Maybe not bring him just yet, don’t want him to see me like this.”


“Why not?” Ever the bat-ears Emmett turns to me. “What happened and when?”

 

“His Mother. He was with her when she died. Her thoughtless fucker of a boyfriend, left him to watch her because he needed a smoke, and she died, he was three. He came back half an hour later, nurses took another forty minutes to get Hunter out, he was trying to wake her up.”

 

EMMETT


“Oh the poor little sweetheart, what was it?”


“Drugs overdose, although she also had HIV.” Ben replies.


I stop myself from thinking of Ted, as it still hurts what he did, which is why I had to let him go, so I kiss Brian’s cheek, He doesn’t rub it off. “So glad you found him!” Vic comes in with George, his heart melts like mine when he sees Hunter. “May I show this to Mel, who is neither mad nor does she hate you? She never did. She was just so disappointed that you didn’t do better.”


“What?” Ben growls, nice growl, scary but nice!


“With Lindsay. You capitulated so much, and that’s what annoyed her. Take the policy for example, Lindsay asked for that, you signed it. Mel never wanted it, but knew if she said that you would anyway.” Vic explains, much to Brian’s incredulity. “No, she didn’t want you to be the father, there’s no denying it. But like her, you wanted them to be mothers on their own. Lindsay wanted you to be in their lives as a proper father. Hoping to, well, whatever she was hoping to do, it never happened.”


“And because you left but also included her in the shut out, Lindsay's the one that hates you. I always admired your honesty, to the point of rudeness, but you are always honest.” I get a half smirk, it’s a start. “Oh, stop calling me Honeycutt!”

 

“Are we kinda friends again?” Sunshine hollers. “Got some food for the patient, he needs to eat! And I don’t think he wants an audience!” 

 

JUSTIN


They slowly file out. I put the tray down with a sigh. “Hang on, Mom, can you come get Ems?” She blows me a kiss as she wraps an arm around him and closes the door. 


“So what do you want to be called? Do you want the window open?” He nods but looks a little unsure. “My Mom gave me some pointers. If you don’t ask, you won’t get.”


“Mr Kinney for now. Who’s the we who gave me a bed bath?”


“Oh, is that all?” I grin impishly, he rolls both his eyes and lips. “Me and David.” He starts to grin. “Ready to eat?”


“What is it?” He relaxes. “Smells good. You cook?”


“Vegetable pho, yes I did, with beef bone broth, you need the protein not the heaviness.”

 

“Thank you!” He returns, gesturing for the bowl. I make my way over, settling it across his thighs. He takes the water first and takes deep draughts, lost in the taste of it. “So, what’s David like to fuck?”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thanks.

Plans are Made and Meetings Discussed by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 5 - PLANS ARE MADE AND MEETINGS DISCUSSED


BRIAN


He perches on the end of the bed, lip biting as I splutter. “There’s a napkin.” He drawls. “So? What’s he like?”


Jen had said that he was an arrogant, cheeky young pup, who she sometimes wanted to either hug or hire someone to give him a sound spanking. His level of cockiness, combined with his form as he gets comfortable at the end of the bed, I can see why she would want the latter and right now I would volunteer.


“How much detail you after? Need something for your wank bank?” His slight grimace has me smirking. “So, you want to know what I’m like in bed, not him. I’m excellent - I’d fuck me. Drive is very high, recovery is quick, and I can go for hours.” His smile widens but there’s a slight blush. “How’d you know?”


“He was on the phone, Talking in a very hushed tone but quickly. Seems to be trying to find someone to take you over as a patient. When did you two fuck?”


Emmett takes that moment to come in. “Who fucked?” He demands. Putting down a tray of coffees and biscuits, he hands me one of both. “Jen said to drink it all. Back to fucking, who and when?”


“Where’s David and Ben?” I sip then sigh. “Can I have this first?”


“It smells really good.” Justin looks at the remaining mugs. “Don’t suppose those two are the same, and what are the cookies?”


“No.” Emmett pouts. “She said just for him.”


“St Helena Tipped Bourbon coffee, also those are not cookies, they’re biscuits, sea salt and caramel biscuits.”


“Ooh how fancy.” Justin jibes. “What’s so special?”


“A perfect pairing. And at £170 a pop for the coffee, which we have to travel to England to get, you have to be a very special person to have some.” 


“She wasn’t kidding about that?” Justin chuckles. “The broth will keep, have the coffee, and Ems, you and I will get our own bag. Well, I’ll get Mom to get our own bag.”


“Yes, yes, that’s great. The fucking.” Emmett joins him at the end of the bed, handing him a mug. “Begin.”


“I fucked David. Ben watched.” Both mugs are still, jaws swinging, eyes are wide. Emmett puts his down then pulls out his phone. 


“Hey, you need to listen.” He orders. “Repeat, please.” I oblige. The silence at the other end stretches, I’m beginning to get annoyed. 


“Where are you?” A female demands.


“Hospice.”


“Ten minutes away. Not another word till I get there!” 


“Who was that?” I growl.


“Daphne, his daughter.” Justin laughs. “This is going to be fun!”


GROCERY STORE - SAME TIME


MICHAEL


I feel like hell after the drinking we did last night. Ma is still resting, we’ve decided not to open the store today. We’ve been to Uncle Prick’s ever since Brian came back. Okay, he did return our call, but just to say he’s going out of town for a week. We didn’t believe him of course, since he lied about his contact with Brian.


As I wheel the trolley around the corner, I find Mel looking at some wine. “Hey! What are you doing this side of town? What are you and Emmett doing tonight, perhaps we three can go out on the tear and have one of her legendary recovery brunches.”


“Just visiting a friend.” She replies. “As for tonight, we’ve got plans. Maybe another time. How’s Debs doing? You okay? You're looking a little tired.”


“Ma’s fine. Reason for tired, thanks for pointing that out, is that I've been under a bit of strain and not sleeping well.”


“What’s wrong?” She puts in two bottles of Beam.


“Brian’s back in town, did you know? Is that who those are for?!” She’s starting to look pissed. “Okay, okay, you didn’t know. Let’s not fight, I’ve got a headache as well. Looks like it’s just Uncle Prick who knew!”


“Don’t call him that, I’ve told you this before!” She scolds. “Back to the Brian situation, where is he, is Vic with him?”


“That’s what he deserves to be called after lying to us all this time. As for where, he’s out of town, and yeah, most likely with Brian.”


“Did he say anything before he left?”


“Nothing, which is so annoying. Ma’s devastated. Seems that Brian’s still harbouring this silly grudge. When he saw us in Woody’s, he said something about me and Uncle Vic being together. Where’s Gus?” I look around. Normally where she or Emmett are, he’s not too far behind.


“He’s on a play date.” 


“He goes on more dates than you these days.” I tease just as a call from Ma comes through.


“Well, I’ll let you take that.” Mel starts to leave.


“Hang on, say hi to Ma!” I grab her trolley, she takes the phone. Whilst she chats to her, I check out her shopping. She’s got some fancy stuff in there. She and Emmett are living the high life!


I still can’t believe they live together. After she and Lindz split, she moved to the other side of town, and when Ted took Emmett’s money, leaving him on the brink of homelessness, she gave him shelter. Ma was going to let him come live with us, but I persuaded her not to. That’s our home and the only people that will live there are me, her, and now he’s back, Brian. Their house is really nice, although we’ve only seen it once, which was when she moved. I’ve not seen Gus in about a year, what with the store and various play dates he goes on. As she's wrapping up the call, I have an idea. 


“She sounds in good form.”


“She’s putting on a brave face, of course. Listen, why don’t you and Emmett come to ours for dinner this weekend?”


“At Deb’s?” She frowns. “Maybe not dinner, you know how fussy Gus can be!”


“No, and he sure is. I meant David and mine. Ma will be there, of course. You’ve not seen David in a while, besides you can help me with Daphne. She’s still being prickly over Ma using her room.”


MEL


Help with Daphne?! The only thing I’m going to help is getting you away from her father! How he’s kept him in his thrall is beyond comprehension, there’s no way, none, that he’s any good in bed! As he prattles on and on, out of the corner of my eye I watch Gus smirking after bailing. I had wondered why he had suddenly run off. He’s also holding bags of their favourite cookies. 


“Michael, I’ll speak to Ems about dinner, but I really do have to go.”


“You never said who the Beam is for.”


“Cooking, I’m doing a bundt cake.” 


“Why waste that on a cake? Jeez, someone’s got money to throw about!” He grins. I suppress my flinch at whatever the hell is caught in his teeth. “Well, you can bring that with you on Saturday, I’ll let David know.” Before I can remind him that I said I’d think about it, he’s off, telling his precious Ma about our dinner plans.


“Why do we have to go?” I look down at a smouldering Gus. “I’ll need to reinforce my cheeks from all that godawful pinching she does! I’m not a frigging chipmunk - and he’s gonna have me wearing a mouthguard trying to bite my tongue!”


“An hour or two with them vs them blowing up my phone for three days. Daph and Justin will be there.” 


“Justin’s going to be there, neat, but why?” He grins as he adores the pair of them.


“You know how those three Musketeers love to band together.”


“Fine.” He sighs with a smile. “Grab those two.” He points at the cheap-ass whisky. “He’s right about one thing, Beam’s not not being wasted on those two crones.” I squeeze his shoulder and he relaxes a bit. “Are we done here now?”


“Yeah, let’s go.”


HOSPICE, BRIAN’S ROOM


DAPHNE


We, as in me, Justin, Ems, Jen and Ben, all have his special coffee. He’s pouting, but I can be very persuasive. Okay, Jen did have to say that she would be flying to London especially on her way back from Paris to get three more bags. But we could not get him to give up the biscuits. The plate’s currently in Ben’s lap, although I can see Ems might take a chance, you know go to grab hoping to miss!


“So you were about four, maybe five years ago, and the reason for the big smile and limp.” I declare, silencing the room. “Chances of a return visit? And why, Ben, were you watching?”


“Stop making me sound like a pervert!” Ben protests. “Head of security. When he said I watched - he means I watched David arrive then leave.”


“Did he come and go in the other sense?” Justin teases. I roll my eyes. Ever since Jen started working for Brian, he’s been trying to figure a way of meeting him. She’s sung both his praises and bitched about his brattiness. 


“Justin.” Jen sighs, he smirks. “I know you want to get into his pants. At least let him recuperate so he can fight off your advances.”


“Mom!” He goes purple.


“Then don’t ask questions like that in front of me.” She retorts. He sits back, cutting his eye at her. “Keep side eyeing me and I’ll tell him all about what happened when you were 16.” 


“Sorry, very sorry!” He declares, the blush now spreading down his neck and chest. 


“Accepted.” She replies coolly. “But I can answer the return visit question, no. He never repeats. Now that he’s got Hunter, he’s not so fast and loose with his goose.”


“Pity.” I sigh. 


“As a matter of interest, why would you want him to sleep with your father?” Jen pulls out another pack of biscuits from her holdall. Brian huffs, then waves a yes. “Isn’t he in a relationship?”


“Yes, with Michael, his ex-best friend.” I gripe, she pauses. “Didn’t I mention that?”


“No, you just said that the boyfriend was a spoilt by his mother, wet nosed bastard of a barnacle.” She looks at Brian, he shakes his head. “Just mess with it a little, please? You won’t even have to pay my bonus this year. Close your eyes and think of how much it will hurt him when he finds out!”


“Mom?” Justin looks concerned. “What?”


“I hate them. I had to deal with them for years before they got the message.”


“Years?” Ems echoes. “How many?”


“Four.” Brian’s voice is pained. “Never once said sorry.”


“Four years. And they never do!” Ems spits. “Just expect you to forget what they did because they’re Mikey and Debs, the bedrock of the fucking family!”


“What do you mean?” Brian growls, beckoning Ems closer. “Our time to talk is now.”


MEL’S CAR - SAME TIME


GUS


Mom’s humming as she drives. It’s been two days since she told me about my Dad being in town. Although she told me everything about him, Lindsey's parting note telling me he’s an absolute uncaring asshole who didn’t want me, hurt and haunts me. I asked Mom if it was true what she wrote. She said it kinda was, but that he was never going to be a full time father to me anyway. However, she doesn’t think he’s like that now.


“So who are the kid and the guy?” I ask. If she’s surprised by the question she doesn’t show it.


“The kid is Hunter. As for the guy, he’s Ben, his best friend.”


I tense up. “Like Michael was his best friend?”


“Hold on.” She squeezes my hand. “Let me pull over.” Although we say nothing as we get in the back, she pinches her forehead then sighs. “I promise you, everything that your Dad did was out of the hurt we caused, nothing to do with you.” 


“So why does he have another kid?” I try to stop my lip from wobbling. As always when I get as emotional as a Kinney can, another Lindsay compliment, she looks away. “Has he replaced me then?”


“No, nothing like that. The first thing he asked was if you were born.”


“He did? So Hunter’s Mom is where?”


“He adopted him after she died when he was three.” 


I stare out of the window for a minute. “So can I go and see him, I mean them, if he’s there too?” 


“Really?!” I turn to her, my heart beating a little faster. “Yes, he wants to meet, but only if you’re ready.”


“I’m ready.” 


“That’s great. When do you want to go?”


“Now.”

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx

Brothers, Mothers and the Wannabe Lover by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 6 - BROTHERS, MOTHERS AND THE WANNABE LOVER


TWO HOURS LATER


BRIAN


I’m still nowhere near calm! The explosion was brutal when Emmett told me that Michael and his Ma told Ted the account details in which Emmett had over $20,000. Of course, the crackhead asked Emmett for some money. He said no, so he went behind his back and slowly syphoned the money off until there was nothing left. He, of course, was long gone when Emmett found that out. The last time they spoke was for him to say he’d be coming back and will repay the money, he just needed to pay off some debts. Never saw him again.


The door opens just as my phone rings. Snatching it up, I bark that the caller should wait. I cover the phone. “I want that fucker found by the end of the day!”


“Okay.” Ben replies in his don’t-take-it-out-on-me tone. “Meanwhile, Blake is coming with him, should be here in ten minutes.”


“Fine.” Again I breathe. “Good, it will be good to see him.” Ben comes across to kiss my forehead. “Sorry, I just, well, you know.”


“Yeah, I know. Leave him with me. How alive does he need to be? I mean can I hurt him a little if he resists?”


“No.” He looks disappointed. “You can hurt him a lot!”


“Excellent, will keep you posted, have an errand to run first though.” He grabs his jacket, a biscuit and is gone.


I count to five before checking the phone and see it’s Mel. “Sorry, Mel, just been speaking to Emmett about what Ted did. Am sending Ben on a scouting mission. What can I do for you?”


“Um, well, you can say hi Gus instead.” I’m in shock. Yes, I knew she was going to speak to him, but I didn’t expect to be speaking to him so soon. “Or Mr Marcus-Kinney, if that’s too weird.”


“Marcus-Kinney?” I question. She never told me that he uses my name.


“Yep. Want me to not use it?” I hear the fear and quickly reassure him that I don’t. “Good, having to redo the labels in my pants would’ve been a bastard of a task.”


“We couldn’t have that now could we?”


“Nope. So can I come in?”


“C-c-come. Where are you?”


“Outside, across the road, in Mom’s car. She’s just coming back. One second.” 


I press the call button, Justin rushes in. “What’s wrong?”


“Gus is outside.” I explain, yanking off my PJ top then trying to swing myself out of bed, which he immediately stops. “He can’t see me like this! I need to at least pass a flannel over myself!”


“Fine. Let me get Ems to help you with that. I’ll speak to Gus.”


“You? Why would you speak to Gus?” He gives me an amused look. “Yeah, okay, got it. How long have you known him?”


“To communicate properly, which by the way, I look forward to witnessing, just over four years.” He heads out chuckling, leaving me confused.


Emmett comes in a minute later, he still looks a little teary. 


“What can I do for you, Big, I mean Brian.”


“Don’t do that.” I state.


“That’s why I said Brian.” He sighs.


“Yeah, that’s what I mean. If you’re gonna call me Big Bad, do that.” I roll my eyes as his fill again, I beckon him closer, he sits. I offer him my top. Briefly, he demurs, but my glower has him wiping. “Silk, won’t irritate your eyes so much.” I wait for him to give a half smile. “Come live out your fantasy and help me wash my cock.”


“Who told you?! I’m going to kill them!” He fumes and blushes.


“You just did.”


“Oh God!” He howls before burying his face in the top. For the first time since our chat, I smile.


OUTSIDE THE HOSPICE


MEL


I know he's his father's son, but come on! “Another thing that's all him: your ballsiness.”


“You’re ballsy too, Mom.” He declares, looking relieved I'm not mad, that in the time I went to get a magazine, he called his father and arranged a meet up! 


But now he’s frowning at the phone. I take it off him. The message asks to give him ten minutes, my temper starts to rise. “Justin’s coming.” I paste a smile on as he waves, we wave back.


“Hey, Gus! Hi-up!” He declares. They fist bump as usual. “You set a proverbial cat amongst the pigeons. He needs to make himself presentable.” Gus grins in both glee and relief. “So, want to get a coffee and a coke first?” Gus glowers. Justin knows how to hit his libation button. “Oh, yes, sorry, sparkling water with a hint of guava juice.”


“Better.” As we cross the road, a car pulls up, Gus whistles. “Very nice!” He stops, as he always does when it comes to cars, to admire it. “Must be a sweet ride.”


“It is!” The driver calls out the open window. “Thanks.”


“Can I take a picture?!” Gus pleads, whilst Justin and I exchange knowing looks. The times we’ve had to pull over so he could add to his scrapbook. 


“Of course!” He gets out. “Let me just get my boy inside and I’ll be right back!”


“Thanks! Mom, can you get my camera while he does that?!” I nod and am about to go to the car when the boy steps out. Both Gus and I gasp. For a second, Gus just stares as he closes the door and adjusts the bag he’s holding. 


“Hunter.” 


As he turns, his eyebrows go up. “Yeah. Gus.” My heart hammers as Gus nods. “You look a lot like him. Shall we go together or you want to see him by yourself first?”


“Together.” 


“Cool.”


“Um, Gus, I’m Blake. I work for your Dad.”


“Oh, nice to meet you. Can we take a photo after we’ve spoken to - um, what are you comfortable with?”


“Me?” Hunter frowns before a brief smile flashes. “Thanks for asking. Let’s talk to him and all get comfortable.”


“Good. Thanks for that.” 


JUSTIN


As Mel, Blake and I follow them in, all I can think is that those boys are gonna be just fine. It’s Brian that needs to worry!


BRIAN’S ROOM 


JEN


Emmett and I are in mid plump when the door opens. “Hey, this is Gus.” Hunter declares. For a second, Brian looks startled. “We met outside, just as Blake dropped me off.” 


“Hey.” Gus whispers.


“Hey.” Brian murmurs. “Will you come closer?” I swallow down tears as he stops himself from running. “You are taller than you look in the photo.”


“Oh, for frig sake, just hug!” Emmett orders. “So I can meet him!” 


It’s more tears at dawn when Gus gently gets in Brian’s arms. They don't say a word. A minute later, Brian pats his other side, Hunter joins them, still nobody speaks. 


“I have something to show you.” Gus pulls out an envelope, which he hands to him. “Parting words.” Brian opens it. He and Hunter read, whilst Gus focuses on Mel. I just know what he’s given him, from what Emmett’s said, it’s bound to be the note from Lindsay. Upon finishing, he puts it back in the envelope, but Gus doesn't take it, which makes us all frown. “How much of it is you now?”


“Gus, as I said it that was then.” Mel states.


“I know what you said, I want to hear from him.” Gus returns. “And why were you like that?”



EMMETT 


Now in all the years I’ve known Big Bad, he's never said anything about his childhood, just knew that it wasn’t a subject you broached with him. Well, unless you were his best fiend, yes I mean fiend, for that is who he truly was and is. For the next half an hour he talks about it, two glares over Gus’s head from Jen dry my tears up. 


“Well that needs to be burned.” Hunter declares, then giggles and points. 


Jen blushes as she’d been inching closer to Gus. He gets up, I catch the swallow that Justin does when Gus wraps his arms around her. “Oh, thank you!”


“Couldn’t have you on the bed too, gotta look after the old man.” He nods at Justin. “You raised a rascal though.”


“I know.” She laughs, tilting his chin up. “You can call me Nana Jen, like Hunter, if you like?”


“Is it alright with you, Hunter? She’s your Nana Jen first?” Gus asks. I note he’s not let go, 


“Yeah, that's cool. You good with Old Man, or would you prefer him to call you Pops?” Brian shrugs, but there’s a little gleam of joy and hope in his eye. “So?” He continues. “You’re Justin, Mel and Emmett, where’s everyone else?”


“Waiting outside to be let in!” Daph shouts. We look to Brian. He, however, is looking at Mel.


“You ever made it up with your folks?” She shakes her head. “Good, those homophobic shitheads don’t deserve you nor my, our, kids.”


“So, I can let them in Pops?”


“Yes, Gus, let them in.”


MEANWHILE ACROSS TOWN


DEBS


I’m doing my other favourite thing with Michael: shopping, although not for clothes this time, we’re doing that tomorrow. Oh, how I love when he shops for me and vice versa! 


We’re getting some of that wine that we had when we were at David’s. I was more than pissed when having to put things back to how her princess wanted it in her room, and overhearing that she’d bought more of the wine back, we couldn’t find it. All that was left was the other stuff, including at least seven of the ones that we bought. 


“Found it!” Michael calls before whistling. “No wonder it tastes so good, it’s $25 a bottle!”


“Does it come in a white?” I ask as I check out the vodka. He doesn’t answer. When I turn around, he’s staring down the aisle. “Mikey, you okay?”


“Isn’t that Joan the Crone?” He whispers, pointing at a woman. “I mean, it looks like her, but it can’t be, can it?”


“It is her, Let’s get nearer, her boozy stench will be the confirmation!” I snigger, he wrinkles his nose, I nudge him along. As we get closer, we see first that it is her, and, secondly, she’s on the phone. Whoever she’s talking to is making her smile. I’m furious after her treatment of Brian, she doesn’t deserve happiness! “Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in!” I declare, and jab her shoulder. She turns and scowls. “How dare you give me such a shitty look, you pissed up old newt!”


“Hang on, I need to deal with some undesirables.” 


“Undesirables she calls us! Us! We brought up Brian because you were too busy sucking the neck of a bottle of vodka like a hooker at an orgy!” Michael snarls. “You’re the reason he left, you almost cost me my best friend! But he’s back in town, and has vowed not to come not to see you at all. We’re going to make sure that happens! Come on, Ma, we’ve got to go and cook Brian dinner!”


She looks devastated and I’m glad. “It’s so good to have my two boys back home. Oh, remember to get another vase, so many flowers he bought me!”


JOAN


My heart hammers as they swagger off, before he disappears the snake does the eyes on you gesture then sticks a finger up. 


I choke back a sob and search for a tissue, slowly an arm comes around my shoulders and a handkerchief is pressed into my hand. I’m dimly aware as I attempt to clean up of someone shouting, the phone is taken. A short conversation is had before I’m led away.


“You’re staying with us.” Ben tells me. “No way are you being at your place alone!”


BRIAN’S ROOM


HUNTER


I had called Nana Joan after Gus asked about her. Aunt Mel, as Gus said I could call her, asked Dad if he’d been in touch since he left. She and Uncle Ems were surprised that he was, and even more so when he said that they’ve made peace and she’s been sober almost six years. 


“Hunter. Hunter. You okay?” Gus looks concerned, I nod. Dad is rubbing my shoulder, but he’s teeth grinding. When they said those horrible words, Nana Jen almost had to pin him down to stop him from taking my phone, mouthing, we need to hear. He calmed down a little bit when Uncle Ben said he was taking her to ours now. She was the errand he had to run for, it was going to be a surprise for Dad. He was going to bring her this evening with the bread he loves. That’s why she was there, getting what she needed. But after that and hearing her crying and how angry Uncle Ben sounded, she needs rest.  


“Want to go for a walk or something?” Gus presses.


“That’s a great idea.” Dad declares. “Blake!” He’s in quickly. “They’re going for a walk, stay close.”


“Yes Boss.” He replies, and with a nod, we follow.


JUSTIN


I open the medical drawer and take out a pressure kit. “Mom, Ems, can you guys move, I need to check him. Brian, I need you to take slow and steady breaths, get your heartrate down.,”


“Guys, come on. Let him do what he does best.” Vic orders, and soon it’s just us.


I check his pulse, it's galloping. “Look at me. Fix on any part of my face and breathe deeper and slower.” When I’m satisfied, I strap on the band, his gaze shifts to my hands. “What are you going to do about them?”


“As soon as I’m fixed enough, going to go back to Cali.”


“So, money means more than blood?” I feel his twitch of annoyance and the glare is drilling into me. “Ted takes money, you want to hunt him down and do whatever, they slag off your Mom, you wanna run.” 


“For their own safety, it’s best I'm not close. As for you, let's end this conversation, or I will give you that spanking your Mom thinks you’ve had coming for a very long time!”


“Not all pain needs to be physical, though I will bear that threat in mind for when we’re ready for you to follow through with it.” I gauge his reaction. To my relief and joy, he’s starting to smile. “Do you want me to go see your Mom, check on her?” He looks surprised. “You looked after my Mom, let me return the favour.”


“Would appreciate that.” He sinks back against the pillows. “Can you go now?” I nod. “Take Ems with you, she’ll need a smile.”


TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Uncle Vic’s not said much, he’s just sat there since I asked Justin to send him in. Jen called Blake, he’s bringing the boys back, so she and Mel can take them for ice cream, another thing they have in common. When upset, it’s ice cream that’s needed.


“I knew they were nasty and bitter, but that, that was repugnant.” He sits on the bed. “Take it as soon as you’re better, you're going straight back.”


“No. I’m going to stay, stay until I say and have my piece.”


His smile is slow. “The say is for them, the have is Justin?”

 

“Yeah.” My leer makes him chuckle. “He’s got a spanking coming, want to kiss that ass better afterwards.” 

End Notes:

Please be kind and construcitive if reviewing. Thank you

Calls - The Lies, The Shots, and the Never by MissMerlot

 

CHAPTER 7 - CALLS - THE LIES, THE SHOTS AND THE NEVER

 

BRIAN'S HOME - AN HOUR LATER

 

KITCHEN

 

JOAN

 

"Benjamin!" I grumble, he's unmoving, arms folded and standing in front of the kettle. "I can make my own tea!" He mouths no. "Can I at least start the bread?"

 

"No." I smile in defeat at the arrival of another member of the Gang of Five. "Sit down, Nana Joan." Hunter orders. "And no peeking!"

 

"Why can't I peek?" I get comfortable.

 

"Because I want you to see what we saw." I close my eyes and wait. "Okay, now open!"

 

I stop myself from screaming. "You're the lickety-spit of him!" I whisper, taking the tissue from Jen. "The eyes, the smile, and you're going to be tall. I'm Joan, your father's, I mean your grandmother."

 

"I'm Gus, your son's, I mean your grandson."

 

"Gus." A woman's stern voice chides him.

 

"No, it's fine," I call back, still fixated on Gus. "Just the lickety-spit. So who have you brought with you?"

 

"My Mom, the teller-offer, Mel. My godfather, Emmett. My dudette, Daphne. Nana Jen, and the guy that wants to bed my dad, his nurse, Justin." I chuckle at the gasp. "Sorry, Justin, what wasn't I supposed to do? Notice or say it?"

 

"Say it!" Justin replies. I smirk at his embarrassment. "Nice to meet you."

 

"Likewise. And Jen, he looks like you. Please, everyone, come in, make yourselves at home." I look at Justin again. "Why are you here? Looking for approval already?" I tease.

 

"Maybe." He blushes, I frown at his medical bag. "I told Brian I would check you over. Can you roll up your sleeve, please?" I do so, and he takes my pressure. "Nice, very nice. Sorry, you went through that." He starts to send a text. "Just letting him know you're okay." We wait for a few seconds, he smiles and hands his phone to Emmett, who looks pleased. "What does he mean, it's a rainy day?"

 

"Ah, that." He chuckles. "He said when he first met me, that I bet you can make anyone smile on a rainy day. But I may have competition, he's not seen you in full happy beam, has he, Justin? Now Benjamin, if you please?" Jen and I laugh, as Emmett, gently but firmly, tries to move Ben out of the way. "Okay, compromise, you show me where everything is, then sit down?" He opens the cupboards but still doesn't take a seat. "One out of two, I can live with that, for now. So, Joan, he told us about his childhood, how did you win him back?"

 

I'm brought up short and look at Jen and Ben, who nod and smile. "It was after his father died, he was sick for a long time. When he finally passed away, he left most of his estate to Claire, his beloved daughter. He left me the house and also the instructions for the funeral, including getting Brian to pay for it. It had to be the most grandiose of funerals, befitting the great Jack Kinney." I feel tears welling and take another tissue from Ben. "She pandered to him, always, and it got worse after he died. Brian, rightfully said his father died the day he left. She was furious, but never showed it to the outside world. She held the power and the abuse became psychological instead. It went on for years. She held my freedom in her hands. Despite me owning the house, she paid for everything. It was worse than being beaten, I was at her beck and call day and night. I wasn't allowed to get a job, but I was allowed to volunteer at a women's refuge. She only got me the placement so she could crow about I could be them if I wasn't careful. And that's where I ended up after drinking on the job."

 

"She threw you out?!" Gus gasps. "What a cow!"

 

"Not the word I used." Hunter gripes. It takes a few seconds for them to guess what he said.

 

"Ooh, he hates that!" Mel declares, whilst Jen and Ben nod. "How long were you grounded for?"

 

"A month." Hunter looks determinedly at Jen and me. "And I'm still not sorry."

 

"Good!" Gus punches his shoulder. "So then what happened?"

 

"She couldn't have the family stink around, so she put me in a refuge outside of Pittsburgh, out of sight out of mind. As she dumped me there, she gloated that she picked it because it was one next to a church, for you to pray to come home, which you never will. Ironically, the church also held AA meetings. I stumbled in by accident, drunk of course. They were so kind, listened, and got me sober. My sponsor reached out to Brian as part of my steps to make amends. He wasn't interested, but thanks to Ben and Jen, they persuaded him to at least speak to me. He said that he'd speak to me again once I did two years without a drink. So I did."

 

"Shall I take over, Joan?" Jen asks, and I nod. "He kept a distant eye on her. Once she made her amends, then she met Hunter, and it was love at first sight!" She ruffles his hair. "Both of them, although Gus has the looks, Hunter has his mannerisms and way of being." 

 

"So does Gus." Mel smiles, and I believe Gus puffs up a little. "Now what's this about bread?"

 

"It is the best!" Hunter pulls out the shopping. "And the only way he eats -" He stops and stares. "Nana Joan? Is that, that's not, is it?!"

 

"What?" Emmett peers into the bag. "Oxtail? You know how to do this?!"

 

"Yes, it's one of his favourite meals, with sourdough." I look at Ben, who looks as bemused as me at the, quite frankly, slavering, all our new friends seem to be doing. "You like oxtail?"

 

"We love it! Let me explain, Nana Joan." Daphne starts to help. "My Dad, David, who's been bedded by Brian, but is dating Michael, his ex-best friend, took us to a fancy restaurant that served oxtail. His Smother, Debs, said that she could recreate it, even better. She, once more, lied. It was revolting."

 

"Of course it would be, that woman can't cook to save her life!" I snort. "So, I take it you're staying for dinner? The oxtail will be for lunch, and we get to know each other better?"

 

"Indeed!" Ben declares. "Put us to work!"

 

DEB'S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER

 

KITCHEN

 

MICHAEL

 

I wave at Ma as she and David pick the herbs for dinner, then turn back to watch TV whilst putting the phone on speaker. "I can't talk long, Kip, we're at Ma's for dinner."

 

"I've got all the stock. Shall I bring it around to yours or to the store?"

 

"The store or Debs's house, not ours." David makes me jump. He doesn't notice my grimace at that pronouncement. "We're going to start cooking in about five minutes, Michael."

 

"Hi, David!" Kip yells. "What are you eating, and is there enough for another?!"

 

"Sure, Kip honey, come on. We can wait for him, can't we, David?!" I grin at Ma, she and Kip really get on, even better than she and David.

 

"I guess. How long are you going to be, Kip?" Although he's saying the right things, he doesn't look at all happy, which annoys me. I've got to tolerate his pushy princess.

 

"About twenty minutes, shall I grab beer?!"

 

"Yes!" "No, thank you!" David and I speak together. I frown. "Why not?"

 

"Because we're having the wine you made me bring with dinner, remember?" He replies frostily as he hunts in cupboards. "Why did you, since she has them already?" He sighs crossly. Then he takes out the wine that we found when we saw the Old Newt. "I'll just get this opened."

 

"Okay, I will be there in ten minutes. See you soon!"

 

"Okay, honey!"

 

DEBS

 

Luckily, David has his back to me, so he can't see how annoyed I am. He takes down the glasses. "We should have red. It will go best for what we're eating," he states. Michael and I exchange looks; sometimes he can be a bossy bastard. "So, what happened?"

 

"Uh, happened?" I frown.

 

"Yes, Michael said you were upset about someone you bumped into in the store?"

 

"Oh, that. Brian's drunken skunk of a mother. She was stocking up, of course." I sneer. "I let her have it, told her that he's back and staying with us, and wants nothing to do with her." He's got this weird look on his face.

 

"What?"

 

"But that's not true."

 

"We know that, but she doesn't!" Michael laughs. "Oh, you should've seen her, she looked like she wanted to cry!" He and I hi-five. "Brian would be so pleased that we put her in her place!"

 

"I see." He's got that stink-face he gets. "Well, I'm going to speak to Daphne. I said I'd call her."

 

"Why now? We're about to cook dinner." Michael, rightly, point outs.

 

"Not without Kip. After all, many hands make light work, don't they?" He stalks out.

 

"What's up his ass this time?" I grumble. Lately, he's been more of a misery.

 

"Most likely, something boring to do with a patient."

 

"Let's hope his mood is improved by talking to his punkass princess!" I scowl, joining Michael in the lounge. "What are you watching?"

 

"Nothing, was channel surfing. Well, since he's opened it, shall we have some?" He nods at the red. Just as we reach the counter, he comes back in, still looking moody. "Ma and I are about to pour, you want to sort dinner?"

 

"Again, we're waiting for Kip." He's being such an ass tonight. "And what about going home, or did you forget you're driving?"

 

"He can have one glass." I protest. "One glass is not going to make a difference."

 

"It makes a difference to me, so please don't."

 

"For crying out loud it's one glass!" Michael snaps.

 

"I don't drink and drive with you, why can't you afford me the same courtesy?!"

 

"David, what the hell is wrong with you?!" Michael gasps.

 

"I could ask you the same question!" He snaps. Before he can continue, Kip comes through the front, we both cringed. "A key? He has a key? I've been with your son for over three years, and I still have to knock!"

 

"I'm their business partner, some of the stock is here, stands to reason I would have a key. You don't have a reason to come and go, do you?" Kip declares as he takes off his jacket.

 

"I suppose not." David retorts. "I won't be a minute, left something in the car."

 

I follow him, he's doing something in the trunk. "You idiot, you know you're not supposed to use the key when he's about!" I call over my shoulder, keeping an eye for the misery's return.

 

"In my state of hunger, I forgot." Kip sniggers. "What's he cooking, anyway?"

 

"Chicken piccata." I sigh as I hug Kip. He's such a sweetheart.

 

Admittedly, I was initially wary of having someone else in the business, but he's proved his worth and he and Michael get on so great - but they're just friends, sadly. I would love for them to be dating, but Michael loves David!

 

"What's wrong with piccata?" Kip frowns.

 

"Nothing, but that's all we cook around here. When we're at ours, he cooks better stuff, this is so basic." Michael pours the wine, then takes down a tumbler, before filling that with a smirk. "I would never drink wine from a tumbler in front of him, he hates it. Says it ruins the wine's character. Gotta keep the main man happy, which obviously is me."

 

Then he tops up the bottle from the one we opened yesterday. We laugh and clink glasses.

 

TEN MINUTES LATER

 

DAVID

 

"Sorry all, I had to take a call," I shout as I return.

 

"Another one?" Michael demands testily. "We're really very hungry now. Is it going to take long?"

 

"Work call. Why didn't you start it?"

 

"Because you said you were cooking!" He snipes.

 

I take cleansing breaths and count to ten. "I said many hands make light work, so if you could come and help then we can eat quicker."

 

"We're working now!" Kip calls back, when I hear the theme tune to yet another crappy cartoon, I know that I'm on my own, like I always am in this place when it comes to cooking. This is why I always do something quick, the less time I spend in this kitchen the better.

 

Ten minutes later, everything is ticking along nicely, I just need to fry them off. Taking my patience as well as the tray with nibbles, the wine, and my glass, in my hands, I join them in the lounge.

 

"Have some tomato bread. That's what I left in the car. I've warmed it up, should keep you going until dinner."

 

"Great!" Michael declares, taking a piece and passing the plate down. "And how long is that going to be?"

 

"About fifteen minutes." I return, internally screaming at what they're watching, which they saw last weekend! I decided to drown both my sorrows and that noise so pour the wine. "Where did you get this?!" I wince, discreetly spitting it back into the glass.

 

"Erin's. Isn't it great!"

 

"It tastes off. Excuse me, Michael, I just need to get rid of this!"

 

"Sure, sure, go ahead." He waves me off.

 

I reach for his glass and swallow. "Michael."

 

"Shush, this is the best bit." Michael is glued to the screen, they all are.

 

"I'll just sort out dinner." I grit out. Heading to the kitchen, I turn off the stove, sweep every bit of food into the bin, grab the wine I brought, and go home.

 

DAVID AND MICHAEL'S HOUSE - NEXT AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

"This one fucking thing! You couldn't do it!" Daphne screams. "How long have you been putting my father in danger?!"

 

"It was one drink, he'd had a stressful day!" Ma shouts back. "You didn't have to throw the food away, David, that was childish. We had to order in, which was a waste of money!"

 

"Neither you nor your son paid for the food!" Daphne shouts. "As usual!"

 

"Everyone calm down! Michael, you've got to understand my upset. You lied to me. I hope that this was the only time?" I nod vigorously, as does Ma. "You promise not to do that again? That really hurt me, Michael, promise me." Daphne hisses and swears. "I know, darling, I know, but we've all made mistakes. And luckily, nothing bad has happened because of this one. So let's put it behind us. Michael, do you promise on the soul of Debs, not to do that again?" I rush to hug him, burying my face in his chest, I nod. "I need you to say the words."

 

"I promise on the soul of my beloved Ma not to do that again."

 

"Thank you, now why don't you go up and rest?"

 

"Will I be okay staying too, Daphne?" Ma reaches for her, but she steps back.

 

"No, he's the only one being suckered in by your bullshit. However, this is his house. Thank God you're not on the lease. Dad, this is your love life, and he's your folly." Opening the door, she says, "I hope you sleep well."

 

Once the door is shut behind us, we smile in relief. "Did he check that your fingers were crossed?"

 

"Of course not!" I snicker. "Now let's get some coffee and head to your room for a nap!"

 

LOUNGE

 

DAPHNE

 

Dad accepts the very large whisky. He was devastated last night, especially how she encouraged him. We persuaded him to come over and he and Joan got talking. She told him the truth about Brian's relationship with Michael and Debs, it's nothing like what they said, of course, but it was when he admitted that he'd always wondered why Emmett would never meet Ted, even just to get the money back, that the shit hit the fan.

 

"Do you think that was true?" He looks pensive and exhausted, although there's a tiny fire in his eyes.

 

"You said he always looked a little pleased when Emmett mentioned Ted, so let's hope so."

 

PITTSBURGH OPERA HOUSE - THREE DAYS LATER

 

BLAKE

 

I scan the crowd, nothing, there's nothing. Sighing, I check the time, it's almost the start. I look across at Ben, he shakes his head. "Final call, final call, all patrons to be seated, please!"

 

"Maybe he got the date wrong?" I sigh as the doors shut.

 

"Maybe, let's go back. He'll need a report anyway." Ben grumbles. He really wants to fix this for him, methinks he has a little crush!

 

"Where's Ems?" I ask.

 

"Bathroom. I'll get him, he wanted to cry alone when he didn't turn up. Even though I've never met him, which I can't wait to do! I can't understand why Michael, knowing that he was coming every year wanting to fix it with Ems, never told him. After all these years, he never told him!"

 

"Excuse me. Did, did you say Ems?" We turn, and there clutching two tickets with tears running down his face is Ted Schmidt. "As in Emmett Honeycutt? Do you know him well? Do you know where he is?"

 

"Behind you, Teddy." Ems sniffs, and even the granite, like Ben's eyes, are shining as they fall weeping into each other's arms.

 

 

The Reason He Didn't, Leads to a Truce and a Plan by MissMerlot

 

 

CHAPTER 8 - THE REASON HE DIDN'T LEADS TO A TRUCE AND A PLAN

 

BATHROOM - TEN MINUTES LATER

 

BEN

 

His cheek has to be stinging, as he slapped him. However, now he's in a vice-like hug, struggling to breathe! 

 

"You look so well, like my Teddy before all that shit went into you!" Emmett blubbers. "Okay, we can go now!" 

 

"Go? Where?" Ted winces.

 

"Hospital," Blake replies. 

 

"For a drug test, I understand." He wipes his eyes and follows us out.

 

BRIAN'S ROOM - AN HOUR LATER

 

TED

 

My mouth is dry, and my ass is in my throat. Glaring at me is Brian Kinney. Even somewhat incapacitated, he's still terrifying. "How much do I have of what?" I gulp.

 

"The money you stole." 

 

"Al-almost ten thousand."

 

"How do you intend to pay back the rest?"

 

"What the hell is going on in here?!" A young man rushes in. "Why are you spiking?!" He grabs Brian's chin. "Breathe in and out, let's get it down." I look across at Ems, who's breathing in tandem with Brian, and sigh. "I take it you're the cause of his distress?!" I nod. "Who are you so you can be barred?! I've just gotten back, now he seems to be worse than when I left!" 

 

"Justin." Brian breathes out slowly. "Meet Ted Schmidt."

 

The air is knocked out of me as I'm shoved against the wall. "You fucking bastard wankering twasticle!" He roars.

 

"JUSTIN!" Emmett shrieks, pulling him off. "Let us explain! This is all Michael's fault!"

 

"Michael didn't take the money! It wasn't him who left you distraught and destitute!" Justin spits. "You ruined his dreams! But at least something good came out of your fuckery. He found his true friends!"

 

"But it was him that stopped me from saying sorry!" I yell back.

 

"How? How the fuck did he do that?!" Brian snarls.

 

"He told me that you'd changed your number! That's why I was always contacting him!" 

 

"What's the yelling about?!" Vic comes rushing in with others. "Ted! Ted! Where the hell did you find him, Brian?! Ems, are you okay?!" 

 

"You - you were looking for me?" I gasp, my terror increasing.

 

"I was sent to go fetch; you ruined my fun!" The breeze block finally speaks.

 

"He still owes him ten grand, so there's fun to be had," Brian growls.

 

"Everyone quiet!" Emmett shouts, stunning all but Brian and me. "Right, first check his pressure, is he okay?" Justin returns to Brian's side. We're quiet as he works, finally nodding. "Second, everybody, sit down and let Ted explain. Back off Daphne, he's already been body slammed." Her deadly look cements my view that the breeze-block is the lesser of all evils, so move closer. "Where did you end up after you stole from me?"

 

"Boulder, after I hit a few White Parties." Eyes roll, the breeze-block balls his fists, a look from Emmett makes them uncurl. "Still not lost that touch? May I ask your name?"

 

"Ben. What touch?" He frowns, then rolls his neck. "See, relaxed and calm."

 

"That, his ability to put out the most volcanic of fires."

 

"Hey, why's the door blocked? Brian! Brian!" 

 

"Move!" Brian growls, I gape as a worried-looking Mel joins Justin. 

 

"What happened?!" She demands.

 

"He did." Justin bites out.

 

"Oh, it lives, and it's unscathed, pity!" She snarls. 

 

"Everyone, sit down, please. Mel, he was explaining what happened and how he's going to repay the remaining money." Emmett tells her. "Oh, wait, let's get Joan on too. She's been a great sounding board for me."

 

EMMETT

 

Mel pulls out her phone. "Hold tight." 

 

"Hello, Melanie, how are you, my dear?"

 

"Great, just great. We're all in Brian's room. The thief has returned, but before we hear his side, how are the chefs?"

 

"Hunter is making coffee bacon. Gus is on blackberry whisky."

 

"Really, Mom, thank you!" Brian is beaming. Yes, she's sober, but that doesn't mean everyone else should stop drinking around her. And blackberry whisky is a favourite of Brian's, says she makes a batch for him every year. "So, when is the coffee bacon and anything else coming?"

 

"Well, that depends on Justin. I'll speak to him later, see what can and can't be brought, the whisky is a definite no, it needs to mature. Let me just move to the other room." We wait a few seconds. "Okay, what's happening?"

 

Ted looks incredulously at him. "Continue, Schmidt."

 

TED

 

He's talking to his Mom? From what I gleaned from Michael, she should be the last person to be in his life. But he looks so relaxed, and who are Hunter and Gus?

 

"May I sit there?" I gesture at the chair by the bathroom, which I may well need shortly. Brian nods, Ben stands next to me. "So I went to Boulder about two years after I skipped out, adding to my addictions, with gambling." More eye-rolling. "For the three years, I worked the slots, tables, you name it, I worked it. Even got a job as a croupier, hoping for I don't know what, but I managed to break even. What I won and didn't put in my veins, I saved, and every year I'd call Michael to tell him where I'd be, but you never showed."

 

"Was it the same place and time?" Emmett scowls and I nod.

 

"Why didn't he tell me?! I've not done anything to him that he didn't deserve for him to do that!"

 

"I think it's because you and I defended Brian." Vic declares. "After Brian left, he was a royal shit, they both were. He loved leaving me out of things that they were doing, not that I would've joined them, perish the thought, but what do you mean that he didn't deserve?" 

 

"I re-bollocked them because they were complaining about not being able to contact Big Bad, saying he was overreacting. I didn't speak to them for a month after they tried to justify their bullshit again. Then, they didn't speak to me for a while, a blessed relief at the time I can tell you, when I said no to investing in their shop."

 

"They asked you too?!" Vic gasps. "Same for me."

 

"Before we continue anything, apologise!" Brian growls. "And then thank him for saving your ass!"

 

EMMETT

 

"He apologised." I squeeze Brian's arm, he glares. "Alright, alright, say it again so he can hear it."

 

"I am sorry, Emmett, so very sorry and ashamed that I did that. I was deep and desperate enough to not care who or how, just where." He reaches into his pocket and hands Ben an envelope. "Cashier's check."

 

"Can I open it?" Ben asks.

 

"Sure."

 

He does so in silence, then gives me a small smile. "He means it and he's telling the truth about coming to see you." He hands the envelope to me. When I look inside, I start to cry. "There are at least five checks in there, from previous years, the amounts all increase."

 

"So how do you propose giving him the rest back?" Brian's at least lost the growl.

 

"I'll keep working to send it to him." Ted looks relieved that everyone is at least softening a bit. "If I could have an address, I'll send you the checks every month."

 

"Are you still an accountant?" Ted nods. "Get your mom for me, please." I'm not sure what that smirk is about, but Justin is out and back quickly with her. "This is Jennifer Taylor. You will call her Mrs. Taylor. Jen, get him set up a middle management position, he starts in two weeks. Give him time to shut up shop in Bumfuck. He will be ready to work, salary to be determined, but enough to live on after deductions."

 

JEN

 

"Final straw?!" I laugh, whilst Brian and Justin grin. Everyone else looks confused. "Emmett is their dude, hurt him at your peril." 

 

"Indeed, he is," Ted remarks dryly. "I was jealous, but now I get the dynamic of you two. The distance gave me perspective. You're two sides of the same top coin, Brian's the top-top ever, and Emmett's the top-bottom in our friend group. Just like Lindsay, where is she, by the way, Michael thinks that he's the second in command. However, it's always been Emmett, who steps in only when he needs to." He pauses. "Did you ask him to help me?"

 

"No, and I'm not sure why he is. It means that you're paying me back, not Ted."

 

"It guarantees two things. One, he gets the money back, and two, this queenly queef owns your ass!" 

 

"You told him?!" Ted gulps. 

 

"No, I was on the roof. Him telling me to leave was the reason your face remained intact that day."

 

"Thank you, Emmett, and sorry, Brian, I was ripped and jealous, no excuse, truly sorry, and I won't let you down, either of you, ever again."

 

"If you do, I'll kill you." Ben returns. "But I'd take you to the edge a few times first, just for funsies."

 

Justin and I exchange quick looks. It was Joan who noticed how Ben would watch Ems, so sought our opinion. Justin refused to dish until she promised not to do the oxtail until he came back - Brian was not happy, but in the face of the moms, he soon stopped sulking. I was delighted when Justin revealed that Ems had fretted about meeting with Ted, so he asked Ben to come with them. 

 

Ben's complete focus is on protecting Brian, Hunter, and me. Shown nary an interest in anyone all the time I've known him, but there's something about Ems that makes him smile, just a little.

 

"And if you hurt him, I will go down fighting," Ted states, although he does quake slightly.

 

"Noted." Ben smirks "So what happens now?"

 

"Well, if I may suggest something, which I'll admit is purely selfish?" 

 

"Go on, Mom." Brian takes Mel's phone. "Hold a sec, get Hunter and Gus too."

 

"Okay. Boys, can you come in, please?!"

 

I watch Ted, he's confused but wary of asking. "Ted, Hunter, and Gus are Brian's sons." 

 

"What?! Who are the mothers?!"

 

"Hunter was adopted, aged four, after his mom died, I carried Gus," Mel replies. "They're both eight." 

 

"You carried Gus?! What happened to Lindsay?!"

 

"No longer a part of our lives." She replies. "Not the time for this, what's your act of selfishness, Joan?"

 

"Become the prodigal and return to Pittsburgh." 

 

"Why?" I frown.

 

"Oh, that is perfect!" Daphne looks gleeful. "You have any idea what will happen when you do that?! He'll dump my dad in his haste to get with the love of his life!"

 

"The love of his what?!" Brian, Vic, and Justin's faces are a picture of queasiness.

 

"Didn't you realise that Michael's in love with you and has been since his late teens?" Ted frowns. "And that's why he's jealous of Emmett, because of your protection of him. Even when you were cruising, you made sure he was safe. You abdicated your responsibility for Michael and switched it to Emmett."

 

"It all makes sense now!" Vic whispers. "Michael always bragged about how you two would be retired queens together, but when you got the New York job, he kept going on and on about how you shouldn't take it." 

 

We're stunned into silence. 

 

"To make it convincing, find somewhere on Liberty Avenue or nearby to set up a satellite office of Kinnetik. Let everyone know that the Stud is returning, starting with them." Vic starts to smile. "I'll explain away that first meeting, saying, um, I'll think of something."

 

"You're the go-between, Uncle Vic."

 

"Not sure what you mean, Hunter," Mel replies.

 

"Well, they've been banging on his phone to ask about Dad, what if you say you were working on a reconciliation, and - and, yeah, run out now."

 

"And Dad, seeing them together, he was shocked because he wasn't ready?"

 

"Excellent, Gus! Yes, that's excellent!" Daphne squeals. "So, we have a sorta plan in place?"

 

"We do, although we might need to suffer the company of their business partner," Vic grumbles. "Seems they can't go anywhere without Kip turning up every other time."

 

TED

 

I frown as a memory starts to form. "Kip? Is he about Michael's height, quite stocky with dark hair?"

 

"Yeah, why?" Vic frowns.

 

"Oh nothing, just never had Michael mixing business with pleasure, that's all." 

 

"What are you talking about, Ted?!" 

 

"One time Michael came to meet me at the opera house, he brought someone called Kip with him. Once I saw that you weren't there, I left to go back home. I drove and I spotted Michael and Kip going at it."

 

"Ewwwugh!" Daphne cringes. 

 

"Yeah, not good!" I shudder. "But this year is better, much better. Last year as well as seeing that, the guy I was seeing dumped me, said I'd become sanctimonious and no more fun, all because I also stopped drinking."

 

"Last year?" Daphne repeats, her face contorting. "You saw them fucking last year?!"

 

"Yes, in a VW van, the rocking got my attention. I swear, I'm not lying." 

 

"But he has been!" She growls. "He's been with my dad for four years, and that van is mine!"

 

The Greatest Reunion - in their Minds Anyway by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 9 - THE GREATEST REUNION - IN THEIR MINDS ANYWAY


DAVID AND MICHAEL’S HOUSE - THREE WEEKS LATER


KITCHEN


DEBS


“He really is the best brother, isn’t he?!” I declare.


“And the best Uncle!” Michael adds. David chuckles and nods. “Thanks to him, I get to introduce you to my best friend!”


“I’m looking forward to it.” David takes out the butter and a jar of spread, then starts some toast. “What time is he coming here?” 


Michael looks annoyed. Okay, we’ve told him about ten times what is happening, however, David’s had a really busy last couple of weeks, as he well knows since he's done nothing but complain about his lack of attention! 


“We’re meeting him in Woody’s first, then if he’s not fucking, sucking or drunk  we’ll go back to Ma’s.” 


“Sorry, Michael, why would he be fucking or sucking? Drunk I can just about understand.”


“Because he’s Brian Fucking Kinney, Stud of Liberty Avenue!” Michael states, or should I say snarks. Don’t know why he’s really got an attitude this morning, but he’d better lose it before the evening. 


It’s been two weeks since Vic called to say that he’d been speaking to Brian for the last year or so. At first, we were pissed that he went behind our backs, as we still think he overreacted, but then I sat back and thought about it, and I have to admit, to myself, we were kinda mean. Michael’s opinion is that Brian best be ready to apologise to us for the distress he caused, especially to him, since he was more devastated than he let on. 


“It’s been over eight years, what makes you so sure he’s the same man?” 


“Of course he is, except better looking!” Michael declares, picking up the jar. “Oh, this looks nice, what is it?” 


“Honey and chocolate. Morning, Dad, did you sleep well?” Daphne asks as she strolls in. After kissing David’s cheek, she takes the jar. “You can get it in all good health food shops.” He looks at David but he’s got his back to us. 


“Are you still going to meet Emmett tonight?” I glance at Michael. We’re both praying that David doesn’t mention our plans, we want Brian to ourselves before we reassemble the family again. Michael can’t wait to tell him about Mel and Gus. I said Mel should tell him, but he thinks as his best friend, it would sound better coming from him.


“Nope, he’s got other plans. I’m seeing Justin instead.” 


Michael looks incredulous as David puts the toast on a tray with some pats of butter and coffee. She adds the spread, and after another kiss, walks out. “I thought that was for me.”


“What?” David frowns.


“Breakfast.” He sighs crossly.


“You’ve had breakfast.” He nods at the sink. “Please put them in the dishwasher before you go.”


“Why can’t Daphne do it when she puts in her things?”


“Because they’re your things. Besides, she won’t be using it, porcelain doesn’t go in there.” He replies, reaching for the key hook. “See you guys, have a good day.” 


Michael is slack jawed as he walks out, whistling. “What’s wrong?” I nudge him towards the dishwasher. “Let’s load this and get going.”


“She is getting on my nerves again!” He bristles, taking out the soap. “You can get it at all good health food stores! How could he not hear her crappy tone? I thought we were supposed to be making efforts to get along? She’s doing fuck all!” 


“I know, but, and let’s be honest here, as parents - no matter how undeserving the child is - we will defend ours first.”


“That’s fine when the child isn’t selfish and spoiled, like her!” He spits, before shaking off his bad energy, as he calls it. “Shall we let Kip open tomorrow? And what are we going to wear tonight?”


“Yes to Kip, and as for tonight, I think we should go for something new!” He flings his arms around me and kisses my cheek. “Let’s hit the posh shops!”


“Excellent!” He slams the dishwasher shut and stretches. “Oh, where’s the keys to the van? I could’ve sworn I hung it up there last night.”


“I don’t think you did.” He dashes to the hallway, so I follow, frowning as he checks his jacket and rucksack, looking panicked. “Michael, what’s wrong?”


“Yeah, you okay?” Daphne asks as she passes. 


“Fine. I’m fine.” He snipes. Seriously, what's with him today? “Enjoy your evening!”


She just rolls her eyes and walks away.


GUEST ROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


“Ma, check your bag!” I order, dumping mine out. “I need to find those keys! Although I’ve a good mind to tell David about that nasty look. Why didn’t you pull her up?” 


She mutters something as she searches. “They’re not in here, just get another set cut.” 


“I can’t.” I sit down heavily. “They’re for his princess’s van.” She frowns. “When I wanted to borrow it once, she said no. So I use it when she’s not here.” 


“Michael.” She sighs, sounding pissed. “You have a van!”


“I know, I know. Hers is so much nicer!” 


“Why not just accept that she said no?”


“Screw that, it's the thrill of her not knowing. What with the change in tune, we’ve enjoyed getting one over her before right?” Slowly she nods, we’ve often said that she can be far too precious and selfish with things that she could share. 


“You know the excitement of seeing Brian is messing with my brain! I left it outside the store, the keys are on the hook in there!”


“But how hasn’t she realised?”


“She takes taxis everywhere, or uses David’s Mercedes. Since they're roughly the same shape, I’ve put mine under the cover. Genius, no?” Again she nods, but still doesn't look as pleased as I thought she would. “I’ll have to get it valeted I suppose, which can wait until till she’s gone.”


“No it can’t!” She snaps, surprising me. “She’s going to lend it to Mel and Emmett for the weekend!” 


“Oh how annoying. I’ll call Kip and get him to bring it back.” I reach for my phone, but she shakes her head. “Why not?”


“Because you shouldn’t have taken it! You left it there, you bring it back!”


“You’re joking?”


“Move your ass!”


HALF AN HOUR LATER


DAPHNE


Judging by her ramrod posture and jerking away from him, he’s done what he does best and pissed someone else off. His snippiness this morning almost had me calling Dad to blab about his cheating, then telling Mikey I knew about the van. However, Brian made me promise not to say anything about that, no matter how galling a fucker he is. Joan and Jen came up with a much better plan, which has been shared with a select few, but it will all become very clear very quickly. 


I survey my wardrobe, remembering the last time we all went shopping for his birthday, which is two days before mine. It was both tragic and tiresome. He was full of pomp and splendour at all he got, but when it came to mine, whilst he thanked me, it was immediately tossed aside. Oh how he scoffed and looked pityingly at me when I assured him that I wasn’t jealous of Dad giving him money and attention.


He was the green eyed brat when Dad treated me to lunch at Le Mont, a Prada shopping spree, plus the van. He was absolutely furious, huffing and puffing about me demanding overblown gestures because he had Dad’s attention. He was both pissed and mortified after Debs told him they were my birthday presents. 


When he tried to say that the presents from Dad were joint ones and that he was kidding before, nobody bought that. His present to me, enforced by Dad, of being at my beck and call for two days was better than anything his money could buy!


“Oh this is perfect, this is guaranteed to piss him off.” I take out my Prada jacket, leather jeans and my vintage comic book tee. The latter especially makes him pout as Debs gave it to me as her present. They were together when she bought it, of course he thought it was for him. Consequently, he’s been hunting high and low online ever since. It's so odd that each time he finds one, he’s outbid . So very odd!


KINNEY RESIDENCE, SAME TIME


LOUNGE


JUSTIN


I watch for signs of discomfort, but find none. The additional muscle he’s gained has not affected him, and, according to Mom, his strut is back! He’s worked so hard to get here, and she’s very proud of him. They both are. Mom and Joan have become great friends, and want nothing more than everyone to be happy. 


And the happiest so far are definitely Ted and Emmett. He’s paid back an extra $5,000 by selling everything he could in Boulder, arriving with a suitcase and a check. He’s also an unpaid tutor to Hunter and Gus, seems that they take after their father in that math is not something they can get their heads around! It's so bad that when Hunter swears, he says algebra instead of fuck, something that Gus has taken up. It's so nice that there’s no jealousy between them. 


“For a man who wants to get into my pants, try paying attention when I’m in them, so you know what to take off!” 


I smirk. “Prada, button fly jeans, 2017 season. They had a slight design flaw in that the buttons were a little stiff, but that adds to the anticipation, does it not?”


Licking my lips, I untuck his shirt. “May I assist? My hands are nice and warm. Wouldn't want you jerking before you need to.”


“Hmmm.” He growls, then checks his watch. Before I can react, he swoops down and kisses me.


He grabs both wrists with one hand and my throat with the other. The kiss is brutally tender as he alternates between sucking and stroking my tongue. 


He kisses a trail along my chin then whispers. “Your move.” 


FIVE MINUTES LATER


I’m in the bathroom. My lips are swollen, I can still feel his nails across my throat. Still taste him on my lips and in my mouth. “Shit!” I mutter, scrubbing my face. “My virgin ass is in trouble, big trouble!”

 

BRIAN


I shouldn’t have done that! It's confirmed what deep down I knew, I want him, really want him - both in and out of bed.


WOODY’S, EARLY EVENING 


DEBS


I’m still mad at Michael for using her van. I would've stopped him if I knew. I thought it was Kip’s, since I’ve never actually seen her over extravagant gift from David, as he bitched at the time. Consequently, we never got to go shopping, since Kip had taken it home, which is in Harrisburg - over three fucking hours away! So Michael had to go get his van, drive to Kip’s to pick hers up, then get it valeted! 


He’s been sucking up ever since, the good champagne is a start! I’m just getting comfortable when I spot Emmett. Michael sees him in the mirror above my head and hurries to the booth.


“Ring Uncle Vic, get him to stall Brian!” He hisses. “I’ll get rid of him!”


As I move out of the booth, of course, I bump into Mel! “Hi, sweetheart! What are you doing here?!” 


“Meeting Ems, why are you shouting?” She winces then kisses my cheek. “You look like you’re celebrating.” She nods over my shoulder. “Want me to watch that whilst you go wherever you’re going?” 


I check behind me. Michael’s coming back by himself. I know it's selfish to want Brian to ourselves for the first night, but we do. “No, it’s fine. I’ve got a bit of a headache, so we’re going to go now. Just going to the bathroom.”,


“Oh shame. I’ll nab the booth.” She’s pushed by me before I can stop her.


MEL


It took everything not to laugh at her panic, his gurning is not helping. “Hey, Michael, how are you doing?”


“Fine, just fine.” He grabs the champagne. “Ma’s not feeling well, so we’ll be seeing you.” 


“She did look peaky. Am waiting for Ems. Ah, there he is. Ems! Ems! Back here!” 


EMS


I suppress my smile as the side door brings in Justin. Michael looks oddly at him, he relaxes as he heads to the bar. Debs, however, keeps looking at the door when she rejoins them. 


“Hi-hi! One second!” I trill, slowing my approach, I snort as Daphne’s arrival turns them both grey, actually green in Michael’s case - ah, she’s wearing the infamous tee! She hangs back, as she too has to have perfect timing.


How is Mel not on the floor in full cackle?! “You guys going now?” I hear her ask.


“Yes, Ma, did you manage to get hold of Uncle Vic?” 


“No, he was engaged.” She replies. “You keep trying him on our way home.”


I’m now level with Jen. With a wink, she steps aside. “Hello, Honeycutt!”


“Big Bad!” I gasp. Now even though we had planned this, him planting a kiss on my mouth wasn’t discussed.


“BRIAN!” Michael yells. “Welcome back! Look at everyone, Ma and I brought the Stud home, where he belongs!” His smile begins to slip as Brian takes his time letting go.


“Hey, Mikey, Debs, how are you?”


MICHAEL


How are we?! That’s it?! How are we?! Also why is he kissing Emmett and not me?!


Woody's starts to buzz with excited chatter. People are looking at us, well me, oh yes people, I did it! And now to start our lives again!


“I see the gang’s all here, except Lindz and Ted, where are they?” Brian asks, pulling a stunned Emmett behind him. 


“There’s no longer a Lindz.” Uncle Vic declares as he comes through the side door, which he holds open. “As for Ted, he’s here.”


“What?!” Ma and I shout. I’m aghast, he never said anything about that.


“Teddy!” Emmett screams, launching himself at him. 


As they blubber and wail in each other’s arms, I grab Uncle Vic. “Why the hell is he back? You never mentioned you were in touch with him!” 


“What’s the problem? You’ve got your best friend back, why shouldn't I do the same for Emmett?”


“Oh, Brian, it’s so good to have you back!” Ma is sobbing, he’s whispering to her. “So very good!”


“Yeah it is. Back home with my good friends and family.” He declares, one hand is rubbing her back, with the other he hands the champagne to me. “Get that opened, Mikey, we're celebrating the return of the prodigal sons. Come here, Schmidt!” 


I fume as he hugs Ted. Wonder if he would be hugging him so if he knew what he said the day he left! 


“Michael, I’ll open it, you get more glasses!” Uncle Vic orders. “So glad that this is done, keeping that a secret for so long was hard!” He looks at Mel. “You okay, sweetheart?”


“Yea, um, yes. Hi, Brian. We’ve got a lot to talk about.”


“You and me? For why?” He drawls. “Before you answer that, let Debs sit down.”


“Such a good boy!” Ma sniffs, accepting the tissues.


“So talk.” 


“Guys!” I declare. “Let’s do this later. We're celebrating his return! Now if I could have a minute with my best friend!”


The cork popping sounds like a gunshot. Uncle Prick pours and hands one to Brian and the other to Ma. They clink and smile lovingly at each other. 


“Michael, I didn’t know you’d be here, don’t suppose you’ve seen Justin?”


“Daphne!” I gripe. “He came and went, sorry.”


“Hey, Daph! I want you to meet my other nephew. This is Brian, Brian this is Daphne.” Uncle Prick smiles. “Michael, glasses and order, um, three, yeah three more bottles.”


“Enchante.” Brian drawls kissing her hand. 


Why the fuck has she got a kiss before me?!


“Oh the pleasure is all mine. Or it could be ours?”


“He's very gay!” I snap, and push my way to the bar. This is not quite how my evening is supposed to be going!


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


“What were you doing?!” Ted asks. I’m stunned, because as well as  bar snacks, four bottles of champagne and extra glasses, we’ve now been joined by Justin! 


Brian is sitting between Ma and Emmett, talking away, his arm draped over her shoulders.


“Where’d they come from?!” I demand, setting down my tray. ‘It took a fucking age to get served!”


“That's most likely my fault.” I look up at this new arrival. “Hi, I’m Ben, you’re Michael, so good to meet his best friend after all this time.”


“Nice to meet you.” I put a smile on despite my annoyance. It's not his fault that Brian’s being an asshole right now. “After all this time? Has Brian told you about me?”


“Yes, about you, Debs, everyone. You're exactly as he described.”


“And who are you to Brian?” I beam.


“His boyfriend of three years.” Ben smiles before blowing Brian a kiss, which he returns.




End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing

Say What Now by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 10 - SAY WHAT NOW


BRIAN


Debs dropped her glass in her lap, so Mel took her to the bathroom to help with clean up.


Her stern instruction that not a fucking word or whisper is to be uttered about boyfriends of three years before she gets back, raised a wry smile!


“So how about you, Mikey? What are you doing? Did you ever follow through for once and get that store?” He’s still frozen in horror. “Michael, hey bestie, you okay?” 


Emmett nudges, still nothing. Scowling, he gets closer. “Michael!” He shrieks, the amusing consequence of which is that he leaps into a guy who almost drops his drink.


“Stop throwing yourself at me, Novotny, I’m not interested!” He barks, then pauses. “Kinney! Hey, good to have you back!” I frown slightly, which makes him chuckle. “I couldn’t sit for a week after you left.”


Justin splutters into his drink. Uncle Vic and Daphne titter into theirs.


“Ah, very angry sex guy?” I grin.


“Also known as Evan.” He smirks then looks around the table. “Anybody I need to compare notes with?”


“Yes! His boyfriend, Ben!” Michael snaps, jabbing at Ben. “Jesus, Evan, show some class!”


“The great King Kinney has a boyfriend. You devastated, Mikey Boy?! So Boyfriend Ben, you guys play well with others?”


“No they don’t!” Michael spits. “Now take your drink and piss off!”


“Michael Novotny, what have I told you about this?!” Debs barks as she sits down. “Don’t speak to Evan like that!” She smiles at him. “How are you doing, sweetheart?


“But Ma, he was inappropriate towards Brian and Ben’s long term coupling! I was defending them.”


“Long term coupling? Describing their relationship like that, I’m not sure you were!” She snipes. “Stop being pissed at Evan for being the last guy in town to get a taste of God’s Gift to PA!”


“How do you know about that?!” Michael gives Evan his Medusa look. “Will you please move? I want to sit next to my Mother!”


“Mel’s sitting there, remember?” Daph smirks. “Hi Evan, I’m Daphne, ever swing on the straight side?”


“That depends. What are your thoughts on strap ons?”


If Daph is fazed, she hides it well, Michael, not so much. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Emmett at the bar with Jen, who, judging by that grin, wants to be tapped in. I wink at Justin who, seemingly recovered, blows me a kiss…that little devilkin!


“Hold on, is that, what the hell?! Mom!” Justin cries, starting to wave.


“Justin?! Sweetheart, what a lovely surprise!” Her arrival ousts Michael from his spot, with Emmett and Mel’s return pushing him further back. “Brian and Ben, what are you doing with my son?!”


“Not that, although looking at him, maybe!” Ben declares, Michael looks sickened. “Pure coincidence.” He kisses her cheek.


Michael bulldozes his way between Evan and Jen. “I’m Michael, Brian’s best friend! This is his mother in all but biology, Debs!” 


“Um, nice to meet you, Matthew, but why do you think I’m deaf?” He goes bright red. “Brian, sweetheart, shall I get us some more drinks?”


“Speaking of sweethearts!” George strides to the table. “Darling, your phone’s on silent again, isn’t it?!” He prods Uncle Vic, who sheepishly nods. “What am I to do with you?!” He grumbles as he kisses his cheek.


“Darling?” Debs echoes, her jaw dropping, hers is not the only one - when the hell did that get official?! “Vic, are you two dating?!” 


“No, of course not!” Michael splutters. “He’d have gotten our approval first.”


“Michael, be quiet or you’ll get a slap.” Debs glares before beaming at Uncle Vic and George. “You two are coming to dinner, with Ben and Brian, so we can talk about how these romances came to be. However, for now, let me get to know this beautiful woman. Oh fuck me, um, Brian, your Mother has just come in. What do you want to do?”


“Make some room.” I reply, she gapes at me. “Uncle Vic reached out to her too.”


“You're reconciled?!” She gasps, I nod. “I see, well, you heard the man, make some room!” As they obey, I watch Michael. He's gone pale, but his panicked look starts to morph into his pity-you-fool one of old. I start to bristle. “What’s that look for Michael? If we can get a second chance, so can she. Want me to shift too?” 


“Please.” Whilst she does move, she looks near tears. 


“Hi, Joan, over here!” Uncle Vic calls. With a smile, she approaches. “How are you? What would you like to drink?”


“Shall I get you vodka or is gin your poison of choice?” Michael asks, snaking a cold smile across his face. 


“Still got those double standards of yours Michael?!” Ted glares.


“What do you mean by that, Schmidt?!”


“I mean, Mikey Boy.” Ted sneers. “That you can’t lambast Evan then come out with bullcrap like that! You don't know what their relationship is like now, so shush!“


“Well said, Ted.” Debs pats his hand. “I”m glad, for Brian’s sake, you're reconciled with him, but I’ll have no issue burying you alive if you fucking hurt him again. And I’ll expect the same treatment from you.” She reddens and clears her throat. “I apologise for what I said in the store.” 


MICHAEL


Ma’s pronouncement, like her behaviour towards me, is a gut punch. Her knowledge about Evan and Brian will be discussed! However, first I must deal with the crystal sniffing crawler that is Ted!


“Ted, your change in tune has stunned us both, and most likely all who were in the loft that day. I remember well and good what you said about Brian.”


“Michael.” Brian locks onto Ted, who swallows hard. “That’s for us to discuss in private. I’m stunned as I wasn't expecting him to defend her. Thank you, Ted, and Debs, if Mom will forgive you for what you said, then we will consider the matter closed.”


“I accept.” Joan replies. “As for a drink, may I have a large tonic with slices of apple and orange?”


“Sure, Joan, let me get that for you.” Ben smiles. “Shall I get another round, or try and get a table?”


“I’ll do table, you do drinks.” Evan orders, knocking his back. “I’m Evan, nice to meet you, Joan.”


“Likewise.” She smiles. 


“Michael, can I talk to you for a second.” Ma’s grip hurts, tightening when I try to pull free. “I’ll have a beer instead of champagne, please, if that's okay?”


“Sure, Debs, I know what you like!” Evan calls over his shoulder as Ma propels me out.


TWO MINUTES LATER


DEBS


I can't believe all this! I watch Michael glower and pace. It's pissing me off and making me dizzy, so I pull him to a halt. 


“What the hell are you doing?!” I spit. “I’ve never been so embarrassed!”


“Trying to spend time with my best friend, you know, like we arranged before the world and his fucking wife turned up?!”


“World and his fucking wife?! Oh, you mean his boyfriend and last fuck?” He almost spits in disgust. “And the reason I know about Evan is because he told me soon after Brian left.” 


“Why didn’t you tell me about it?!”


“Why should I?”


“You’re my mother!”


“Michael, did you really expect him not to go out with the proverbial bang? He's Brian fucking Kinney for Chrissake!” 


He smiles and resumes pacing. “Yeah, he is. You know, while Ben’s built, I can’t see what he likes about him. I should imagine this will end soon, especially now he's back.”


I’m repulsed by his smugness, and if I'm honest, desire for that to be the case! “Michael, he's been with him for three years!”


“It's only time.” He returns. 


“And more importantly, he’s happy - I watched them, their interplay, he’s very comfortable with him! 


“Brian’s never done comfortable, and I don’t intend to let him start now!”


“Leave them and their relationship alone. You, as his best friend, should be happy for them! Just as happy as he will be when you tell him about David, or have you forgotten about him? Christ, your Vaudevillian jealous act is ridiculous!”


“I’m not jealous, I just know Brian.”


“Not this one.” I soften my tone a bit, still he scowls. “It's been eight years, he's changed. If you want to be in his life again, you’ve got to recognise and accept that!”


“Why did you apologise to Crone?!” He fumes, hands on hip.


Air rattles through my clench teeth. “Her name is Joan, and it was the right thing to do. As much as it pains me, they're reconciled.”


“Pains you? You practically raised him!” 


“And she’s the one he wanted to love him first, last and always!” Saying it out loud makes me teary, but Michael’s too focused on whatever’s going on inside to notice. 


“He's finally alone, we’ll finish this at home!” He exclaims, leaving me to my sadness.


DAPHNE


I followed them to see what they are up to. I wasn’t taken in by her berating him, as enjoyable as it was to witness! I’m about to approach when Vic steps out.


“Debs, we’ve managed to grab a table! Debs, did you hear me?” She nods. “Well, come on then, he wants you to sit next to him.” Her shoulders shake. “Debs? What's going on?!” He’s quickly by her side. I can’t hear exactly what she’s saying but I do hear the word replaced. And judging by the comforting and concern, she’s really devastated. I leave them to it, and as loathed as I am to admit it, my heart broke a little for her. 


BRIAN


I feel his gaze boring into me. How I've missed his laser-like focus whenever we're in a place where I had, in his world, a choice of ass and a reputation to uphold! I sit back and watch him fight through the crowd. 


“Alone at last!” His laugh sounds like a rat chewing on bone. “Now come, give me a hug and a kiss, it's been so long!” I flinch in his embrace and almost retch when he slobbers on my cheek. “Man you look, and smell, so good!” 


“Thanks. You gonna grab those?” I nod at the leftover bottles.


“In a minute.” He pulls me back down. “So tell me about Ben and Evan. Actually, let’s start with Evan, why didn’t you tell me you’d done him?! What was it like?” He gets closer, licking his lips and eyes glowing. Jesus, was he always like this? “Don’t keep me hanging!” I tap my nose. “Why not? We’ve always shared your exploits.” 


“Ask Evan if you want to know.” I shift along the booth, I have to get away from what he's trying to drill into my hip! Thankfully, my saviour saunters up behind him.


“Hey, Michael, I need to talk to my man for a second.” Ben drawls, Michael smiles but doesn’t move. “In private. We’ll see you at the table, it's number four.”


“As Brian’s best friend, you can speak in front of me. We’ve never had secrets from each other.”


“As Brian’s boyfriend and closest confidante, now you do. Like I said, table four.”


“Michael, let them have their privacy.” His neck cracks as he whips around. “Debs and Uncle Vic caught me up.”


“Thank you, um?” I extend my hand, whilst Ben helps Michael out of the seat.


“David. Michael’s boyfriend. Nice to finally meet you, Brian. Michael’s really been looking forward to this reunion, hope it's been all he wanted? And you are, I mean apart from the man who stole the Stud’s heart?”


“Ben.” Whilst he shakes David's hand he gazes at Michael “A heart I intend to keep.” He strokes my chin then my mouth. “David, please take your boyfriend to table four.” 


BEN


I pull him in for a kiss, snorting when Michael almost walks into someone as he gawks. 


“Thanks, babe.” He smirks. “So, how’d you think that went?”


“Pretty good, except you’re gonna be dealing with a lot more jealousy.”


“That's the point.” He stretches, then yawns. “We're going after this, okay?”


“Sure, but I mean Justin, if Evan sticks around. Which he seems hellbent on doing.” I break into a sly smile. “Do what you wish with that information”


End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing

A Family is Announced by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 11 - A FAMILY IS ANNOUNCED


TABLE FOUR - FIVE MINUTES LATER


DAVID


Michael is either watching for Brian and Ben’s return or glowering at the guy sitting next to Debs.


“Is she alright?” I ask him, he looks puzzled. “Debs looks like she’s been crying.”


“Hmm! She’s just emotional now Brian’s back.”


“I see, so who’s the guy that’s upset you?” 


“Him? Nobody!” He retorts.


“Come now, Michael.” Daph pours me some wine. “Dad, that’s Evan - he’s the last guy that Brian drilled, which Michael’s got his dick twisted over. Although, if I can get used to a strap on, I’m gonna get that ass too.”


“David, are you okay?!” Emmett claps me on the back whilst Michael cleans up the wine I spluttered across the table. “Take my water!”


“I’m fine, fine!” I croak, glaring at a giggling Daph. “I must have misheard you, could you repeat that, darling?”


“No repeating necessary, you didn’t mishear!” Michael hisses. 


“Everything okay, David?” Debs calls down. 


“Yes, all fine, thanks. Daphne, go and get another bottle of wine, you little devil!”


“Yes, Daddy!” She simpers. 


“You’re that beauty’s father? I’m Evan.” He approaches, hand outstretched. “How do you know Debs?”


“He’s my boyfriend, that's how he knows her!” Michael seethes. 


Evan looks from me to Michael and back again. “David, I’m the blur in front of you.”


“Blur?” I frown.


“Clearly you have cataracts.” His chuckling spreads up the table. “Call me when you’re got them fixed.” He pats my shoulder then returns to his seat.


“That was not funny!” Michael snarls.


“What wasn’t?” Brian questions as he and Ben return hand in hand. “What did we miss?”


“Nothing!” “Evan thinks David’s blind for being Michael’s boyfriend!” Michael and Mel answer at the same time.


“Actually, going by his behaviour earlier, it's Michael that’s blind where boyfriends are concerned.” Ben drawls. The table goes silent as he strolls to the seat next to Evan. “Have we ordered food?”


BRIAN


“No, not yet.” George replies, hiding his grin. “We’re just waiting for Daphne to come back.” 


I sit between Debs and Mom, who titters whilst David closes Michael’s mouth. Although, judging by the lethal look he gives Mel, this won’t stay like that for long.


“Where’d Daphne go?” I query.


“To get some wine.” She replies, returning with three bottles. “I’ve also got waiters on their way.” 


“Smart and beautiful.” Evan is all charm, which is pissing Michael no end. Must find out what the beef between them is about and exploit it!  “Need some help?” 


“She’s used to carrying a lot of booze. No need to trouble yourself, Evan!” 


“What a horrible thing to say!” Mel declares. “Why are you being such a viper?”


“It was a joke!” He protests. “Besides, I meant she’s a connoisseur, not an alcoholic.” Ben’s look calms me down. “Daph knows my sense of humour.”


“He’s right, I do, and he knows mine. Now, no more jokes, let’s enjoy dinner.”


MICHAEL


I can’t believe how fucking crap this evening has turned out. The arrival of the waiters at least takes the attention off me, although I’m being ignored on both sides by David talking to Emmett and Daphne, whilst Justin talks to his Mom. 


Brian’s overbearing boyfriend is flirting with Evan - only stopping when Brian catches his eye. What a creep!


“What would you like to start with?” The waiter asks.


Sighing, I take up the menu. “Can you give him a few minutes, please?” David asks, much to my surprise. Smiling, the waiter moves onto Emmett. “Would you like more red, or will you swap to white?”


“I haven't decided on what to eat yet.” I retort.


“What’s wrong?” He frowns.


“Just not enjoying the evening as much as I’d hoped.” 


“Why did you invite everyone else - I mean apart from me? You gave the impression it was just the three of you. And who’s that next to Mel?”


“I didn’t invite everyone else, they just turned up!” I gripe quietly. “And that's Ted, yes, that Ted!”


“How is he here? I assume Emmett is still unhappy with him, since he’s sitting where he is?”


“He’s here because of Uncle Vic too and they did everything but suck face when Ted arrived!” I shrug at his disapproving look. “And that lady sitting next to Brian is his Mom, again Uncle Vic played whatever his name was from Bergerac to get them together!” He stops laughing at my scowl. “I should be sitting there, not her!”


“Why? You’ve often said that mothers come above everyone else.” 


“And speaking of mothers!” Justin turns to us. “Let me introduce you to mine. David and Michael, this is my Mom, Jennifer. Mom, David’s my boss.”


“So lovely to meet you, David, thank you for the faith you have in my son!” 


“My pleasure, he’s an excellent nurse.” David smiles, I sneer into my glass. “How are you here? He never mentioned you coming when I saw him last Friday.”


“Case of small world syndrome.” She laughs. “I work for Brian, you could call me his work Mom.” It’s my turn to splutter, David’s clapping hurts as much as Mel and Ted’s sniggering at me. “Oh dear, are you okay, Matthew?” 


“Michael.” I gasp. “My name is Michael.” Mel fails to hide her amusement with her napkin, whilst Ted returns my glare. He seems to forget that he’s got to explain his shittiness to Brian. I look forward to watching him do that!


“Well, I’ve been with him since he started his business, and of course, the love fest that is him and Ben. The amount of times I've had to tell them to lock the door! But love makes you, um, spontaneous is the polite way to put it, right, Ben?”


“Definitely.” He smarms before trying to get into Evan’s pants.


“It would definitely take a man like Ben to pin Kinney down!” Mel laughs, raising her glass to him.


“Enough about that!” Crone for once proving useful. “Have we all ordered now?“ 


“Just Michael to go, I mean left to choose.” Ted declares with an edge to his voice. “Ems, you want to help him out with the big words? The menu’s changed a lot since I was last here.”


“Teddy!” Emmett giggles. 


“Sir, your choices?” The waiter prompts. Annoyed at their return to easy camaraderie, I shake my head. “You don't want to order anything or just not a starter?”


“How about we share the eggplant fries, Michael?” David asks, I shrug. “There, that’s settled.” 


“Thank you, sir.” The waiter smiles, before giving me a shitty look and scuttling off.


“Stop being so bloody childish to Michael!” Uncle Vic barks. “You’re beginning to ruin this evening!”


“I’m ruining this evening?!” I finally explode. “This was supposed to be my time with my best friend, and you lot have fucking railroaded me out of that!” They go quiet. “And speaking of children!”


“Don’t you dare!” Uncle Vic snarls, getting up. “You’ll be spitting teeth for a week if that comes out of your mouth!” 


“And I will beat your ass!” Ma also stands. “This will not be unnecessarily and spitefully handled by you!”


“Spitefully? How can you say that, Ma? I'm his best friend!”


BEN


“Actually, I’m his best friend.” I smirk, both at Michael’s expression and Evan’s quietly muttered burn Mikey burn. “Well that's how I started out, now look where we are.” I turn to his Ma, who I'm beginning to warm to. “Want me to beat him instead? Be a shame to ruin that fabulous manicure.”


“Thank you, Ben, what a gentleman!” She kisses my cheek. “Michael, you could learn something from him.”


“He can't teach me anything!” He snaps, reaching for his jacket. “I need the bathroom!”


Oh, your lessons have only just begun, Mikey Boy!


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


Having spoken to Kip, I feel a bit better. He completely understood my point of view, and, like me, felt that David should’ve defended me against Ma and Uncle Vic. 


However, what really burns my ass is that Brian hasn't come in to check on me! I thought it might be him when someone called my name, but that turned out to be George, who gave me the snarkiest look before stalking out. 


“I’ll give him two more minutes!” I decide, and set the timer. However, my stomach has other ideas, so I go back to join the party crashers!


I stare around the table as there's been a few changes. Mel is now sitting with Ma and Brian, with Ben next to Joan. Evan and Daphne have cosied up - how revolting! Emmett and Ted are with Justin and his Mom, looking like one of those cliques in high school.nBut it's David that really chaps my ass. He’s moved next to Uncle Vic and George, and is patting the seat next to him. Sighing, I head over.


“What’s with the musical chairs?“ I demand. “Did you eat all the eggplant or order me a main, knowing what I like?” 


“Yes and yes.” He replies, filling a glass with champagne, which makes me frown. “Deep fried lobster and the champagne is because we're celebrating, those are tears of happiness.” He nods at Ma, who is being hugged by Mel whilst looking at something.


“To quote The Stud, what have I missed?” I say loudly, Brian continues to check his phone.


“That he's a Dad.” Uncle Vic beams.


“I know that! How’d he take Mel being the mother?” 


“He's delighted. They're arranging a playdate.” David grins. “If you stop sulking, you might be invited to tag along.” I almost snap my glass at his dismissiveness. “Debs is so looking forward to it. She and Joan are already planning a shopping trip. Hmm, George, would you mind having the meal at yours to take the nervy pressure off of Debs and Joan? That way everyone here can come too.”


“David, that's an excellent idea!” George beams, which sets Ma off again. 


“So, Joan, how do you feel about having a grandson?” I ask. 


She sips her drink. “I feel great. A bit nervy like he said, but it's nice that we are going through it together, right, Debs?”


“Yes, Joan, it is! I can but can't believe you Kiddo!” She clutches her tissue. “So proud, so very proud.”


“Why are you proud of him for acknowledging his son? Did you think he wouldn't, what with Mel as that kid’s Mother?” 


Brian finally looks my way. “She’s not talking about that kid, she’s talking about Hunter.”


“Who’s that, and why does he make her proud of you?”


“He’s our son.” Ben states. “And if you buck your ideas up, you could be his Uncle.”


BRIAN

 

I sip my champagne. “So, Mikey, I’m curious. Given your nasty comments, boorish behaviour and the die-now-bitch look at Mel earlier: how unnecessarily and spitefully would you have told me about that?”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. 

Gloves Start to Come Off and a Mischievous Mom by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 12 - GLOVES STARTS TO COME OFF AND A MISCHIEVOUS MOM


MICHAEL


“What do you mean?!” I fume, looking around. The party crashers are looking bewildered or smugly amused. “I would’ve told you in private.”


“The same private way you’d have told me what Ted said?”


“That was different!” I argue.


“How?” Ben asks, Mel snorts. “Oh, and then there's the first how from the original question.” I glare at him. “What? It’s boyfriend mind twinning, he’d have asked that next. Right, babe?” 


Brian’s nodding ramps up my fury back to earlier levels, but now is not the time for an explosion. “That is for Brian and me to discuss in private with Ted. What he said was so horrid that it still haunts me to this day.”


“No you won’t, and no it doesn’t.” Ted declares. “You laughed at the time, the only people that didn’t were Debs, Mel, Vic and Emmett.” 


“It was a laugh of shock!” 


“Then said that you must remember that for future use.” He adds. 


“Mel didn’t laugh? Fuck me, how bad was it?”


“Like I said, it was horrid. Now let’s just eat, we're here to celebrate your triumphant return.”


“Novotny, let’s spin back, shall we? Don’t get me wrong, it was a good attempt at distraction, but you failed to launch again.” I glower at Evan, whose draped arm  across Daphne’s chair rankles. “That death glare doesn’t answer the two hows, and also, come to think of it, why do you feel you should tell him?”


“Okay, enough.” Crone stands up, Ma also rises. “Boys, back to your corners.”


“By boys, she means Michael and Evan.” Ma adds, shocking me with her loutishness. “As was said, this is a time for celebration. If we can’t celebrate without sniping, sulking or overstepping marks, then get a take away box and eat at home.”


Why is everyone looking at me and not Evan?! This is so unfair!


“However, there is one thing that I should say.” Crone continues. “And that is thank you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, Debs.” She turns to a stunned Ma. “For doing the job I wouldn't, because drinking was more important than bringing up Brian. Most women wouldn't have stepped up like you did, you set him on the path to be the man he is now. Yes, he wanted me to love him first, last and always. No Vic didn't tell me, I was coming to check on you. For once your son is right you raised Brian, and I hope that we can help him and Mel raise their children.”


DEBS


“Come on, come with us, let’s get you cleaned up.” I don’t know who’s talking to me, I’m led blubbering like a baby to the bathroom. “Have you got any make up so we can refresh it?” 


“Purse.” I manage to get out. I just can’t stop crying. “Under the table.”


“Won't be long. Joan, help her to stem them!” 


“It’s okay Aunt Jen, I’ve got it.” Daphne states. “Let me have her.” I’m turned around. “Debs, look at me. Now get yourself together!” Her sharp tone stops me cold. “Tissue. Wipe.” She orders. Meekly, I obey. “Now, girlie, fix your face! You’ve got two minutes!” I turn to the mirror, catching Joan’s eye. She’s as surprised as I am. “That's better. Now don't you ever let me see or hear that you cried over something you should be fucking proud of!” I drop my eye pencil in shock. “I remember.” She smiles, handing it back to me. “First break-up, he was cheating, but I kept taking him back. One day I got good and drunk and dumped him. Of course, panic set in, because nobody else would love me like he does, and she said, that’s not love. It's manipulation, cruelty and ego on his part and stupidity on yours for falling for it every time. You're smart and beautiful, who deserves better. Now take some Advil, give me your phone, and go back to bed.”


“He sent about 150 messages.” I chuckle. “I was so close to replying, but I had to leave it to you. Did you ever block him?”


“No, and that was hard. I just muted the conversation, and about a year later, I finally deleted him from everything.” She twists her lip, looking sad. “He got married to the last one, they have a baby now.”


“And is a housebound cuckold, which he can do nothing about.” Mel giggles, we turn to her. “She trapped him. Very rich and vindictive sister of one of his conquests, can’t even fuck the help. All gay men!”


“How do you know that?!” I laugh as Daphne, yes Daphne, is fixing my face, Joan is tidying my wig and Aunt Jen is topping up my glass. 


“How do you think?” Mel grins.


“Emmett, of course! And how are you an Aunt, Jen?”


“Daph and Justin are childhood friends. The food will be in about ten minutes, Emmett asked them to wait for you and Brian.”


“Ben’s on clean up too?” I start to smile. “He must truly love him, he’s never cried in front of us. When we asked him why, he said crying made his Dad continue beating him.”


MEL


The realisation that Michael would keep hurting him, knowing he wouldn't express his pain, makes me hate him more!


INSIDE BRIAN’S CAR 


BEN


I hand him another tissue. “Been holding that in for a while, huh?” He nods and checks his face. “Yeah, you look like you've been crying.” He sniffs. “Blow it hard and let’s get back inside.” 


“For fuck sake! That’s the second time he’s past the door.” 


“Are you sure you're gonna get through this without lamping him?”


“Yeah, although I came close when he called Gus that kid!” Removing his tie, I smooth it out, then start putting it back on. “Maybe I should give you a hickey?”


“You’re such a bastard.” I laugh, how his mendacity works. “Although it would give some credence to why you ordered me outside. Did you see how Justin reacted to that?”


“Yeah. I kissed him.” He looks, dare I say it, bashful. “Figured it would shut him up.”


“But it piqued your curiosity.” I surmise, grinning when he reluctantly nods. “He sings a good chorus.” 


“Where the hell did you - Nellycutt? How long have you two been talking for you to be swapping pithy epithets?”


“Long enough.” I glance at the entrance and turn up the heating. “Start biting.” 


MICHAEL AND DAVID’S HOME - NEXT DAY


KITCHEN


MICHAEL


I stare out the window, absolutely livid. Finally, there’s signs of life, I struggle not to whirl around when the door swings open. 


“Morning, is there coffee?” Ma croaks, I point to the machine. “No, then. Is this still you sulking from last night, or something new?”


“You think I’m sulking instead of feeling hurt and betrayed?!” I spit, fuming as she starts to boil the kettle. “It's set up, all you had to do was switch it on!”


“Since you set it up, why didn‘t you do that?” She snipes back. “You’re hurt and betrayed because?”


“Because?!” I shout. “Were we in the same places last night?!”


“Yes, as my head can testify, so stop shrieking.” She gets water and Advil, then frowns. “One second.” She shuffles to the door then clears her throat. “Do you two need pills?!” I slam my mug down, she’s more concerned with their hangovers than my feelings! “For fuck sake, Michael, stop!” 


“Stop what?!” I bark, putting back her mug, and switching off the kettle. “Expecting my Mother to care for me first, or are you still basking in the glow of praise from Joan of Bark? Where was my praise, where were my thanks? You didn't raise him alone!”


“You didn’t raise him, you humped his leg at every given opportunity!” Uncle Vic coming through the back door surprises me as much as what he said. “Got the diner hangover cure.” He puts it down, whilst she looks relieved. “Not a word until she’s had at least half her coffee.” He sorts that out for her, whilst she has the Advil. “Who else is with us?”


“What do you mean?” I demand, then swear as the coffee drips onto my new white jeans and trainers. “Let me get changed then you can explain yourself!”


TEN MINUTES LATER


VIC


She’s looking less green, although the creep of her default SPOCC, spoil, protect, overcompensating coddling crapshit, is beginning to seep into her resolve. 


“You’ll lose him. Again. Want to risk that?” She sighs, taking off the ring that she snagged off of Evan. “Debs, I've worked too hard for you to allow him to fuck it up for you.” She retakes her seat. “Let him come to you. Evan gave it to you for wearing. I forgot how much you loved to dance.” She grins, polishing the ring, then putting it back on. “He’s improved.”


“Oh, Christ, hasn't he?!” She laughs. “But enough about that, well we’ll come back to it. You and George?” 


“It just happened.” I blush, remembering how he’d been badgering me to admit that I was jealous of his flirting with Ben. I pointed out that I was more embarrassed for him as he looked ridiculous trying to channel Shirley Temple cuteness. “I kissed him to stop him blathering on, and that was it.”


“What was he blathering on about? Let’s talk and eat.” She chuckles, beginning to help me plate up. “I think we should leave everyone else’s for now.” She checks the dishwasher before leaning closer. “He’s had cereal, do not offer him any, he’ll be here in a second. Trust me.”


And she’s right. The second the plates hit the table, in he comes. He gets out another set of breakfast things, sits down with a thud and folds his arms. 


Debs and I start to eat; he gawks and gnashes his teeth. Finally, face all gnarled up and huffing like an asthmatic pug, he helps himself to most of the food. When he goes to get salt, she puts it back then remains in front of the stove. I move her plate closer to me. “What the hell?!”


“You didn't want anything, remember?” His lips quiver with indignation. “Since you’ve changed your mind, call Kiki and eat it in the store.” I’m also stunned by that. “None of us want you for company whilst you’re acting like a sulphur spitting shrew.” 


“This is my home! If anyone is leaving, it will be you two!”


“Will you stop being so fucking disrespectful!” David booms.


“Disrespectful? When was I disrespectful and to who?!”


“It’s whom, not who, and you were disrespectful last night to me, your boyfriend of 4 years. I only existed when you wanted to bitch and moan about Brian having the audacity to spend time with other people. Especially when those people were Ben, Emmett, Ted and his mothers, Joan and Debs.” I glance at Debs. She’s nodding and looking proudly at David. “The only time you smiled was when Brian disappeared for an hour. Oh, how you scampered to the backroom like a foal discovering its legs thinking he was living up to his old reputation. You were crushed to discover that he was in a booth with his boyfriend, who by the way, he has every right to put a love bite on, without having to listen to disparaging remarks about how high school musical it is.”


“Since when are you so pro-hickeys?!”


“Cherry picking at its finest.” David scoffs. He pauses when Daphne comes in. “Hey  darling, best to go back to bed for now.” 


“Need Advil.” She mutters, leaning against the counter. Michael’s face as Debs waves her back out before passing it through to her is a kaleidoscope of colours and emotions, none of them good. 


“Michael, if you have a grain of love for those two people, do as they say and leave.” I open the back door. “And when you get to wherever, take time to spin back to this conversation and truly look at yourself!” 


“I can’t believe you’re quoting that guy or you’re wearing his ring! And as for that shaking about you were doing with him, I never thought I would ever say this, but Crone had more decorum than you. Although I wonder which bottle she’s crawled out of this morning. I hope Brian wasn’t taken in by her soberness last night!”


As I shut the door quietly behind him, David scrubs his face. “He has no idea how much he’s going to regret that!”


DEBS AND MICHAEL’S STORE - THREE HOURS LATER


KIP


I’ve never seen him so angry at Debs and David; and having given this some thought last night and listening to him now, I’m beginning not to see his point of view. He’s coming across as jealous and spiteful.


“And then guess what happened?!” He demands, I discreetly wipe this food spray off my hand, again. “After we ended up in Babylon, his old stomping fucking ground!”  He inhales some coffee. “Where he danced with everyone but me! He even danced with his work mommy’s twinky son. And as for that supposed boyfriend, or should I say long term fuck buddy, he was dancing with Emmett and Evan all night, hardly respectful of their relationship!” 


“Michael, you and I are fooling around, that’s hardly respecting your relationship, is it?”


He rushes to lock the front door and close the shutters. “Keep your voice down!”  I shake my head at his dramatics. “That’s only when we have a major argument!”


“And the blow job in the van when you came to collect it? What was that row about?”


“I told you, besides you weren’t complaining at the time! What’s that face for?” 


“Because the person you argued with was Debs! I didn’t think we fooled around when you argued with her too - that’s just gross!” I grab my wallet. “I’m going to the convention, think about the part you’ve played in being miserable these last few hours!”


BRIAN’S HOUSE - EARLY AFTERNOON


KITCHEN


JENNIFER


“Good afternoon.” I smile, taking out the mugs, etc., as Brian quietly sits down. “Do you need Advil?”


“No, thank you. Where’s Ben and everyone else?”


“Out and about, it’s just you and me.” I pour him a large mug and sit opposite. 


“Not quite.” He shifts slightly. “Justin’s in my bed.”


“My son is in your bed?” He nods, flame faced. “I see.”


“I only kissed him once and not in bed! I remember dancing with him, but I don’t know how we ended up where we did.”


“Brian.” I glower, he goes pale. “He’s in your bed because I put him there. He’s still dressed. You got in afterwards, didn’t even notice. Don’t tell him that though, he’d be most upset.” 


“You put him in my bed, why?” 


“Because, after we got here and drank some more, Evan wanted to take him home. I knew you’d have an issue with that.” I smile at his flash of anger. “I’m not going to stop you two from doing what you two are going to do, but be civil afterwards because I’m not picking sides!” I start to set up the tray. “He’ll need gentle waking then feeding. I’ll leave you to that.”


BRIAN’S BEDROOM - THIRTY MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN 


“My God, this is so good, just what this nurse ordered.” I sigh, as I dunk my cookie.


“If you do that once more I will vomit!” He bitches as he does a sit up. “How can you drink coffee after that’s been in it?”


“It’s hot chocolate. I can’t have coffee if I’m hungover.” He shakes his head, however, looks mollified that I’m not desecrating his most sacred of beverages. “That’s fifty, stop now.”


“Yes Doc.” He starts his stretches. “Are you going to get out of my bed?”


“Do you have a problem with me being in your bed?” I make myself more comfortable.


“Only because you’re dressed and reek of last night.” He tugs at the quilt.


“Would you like to get me undressed and smelling sweet?” It's instant regret  when he slinks panther-like onto the bed, kneeling astride me, shirtless, I keep my eyes on his face. “My Mom is downstairs.” 


“She put you in my bed, is okay with me kissing you, and said we should just be civil after we do what we're going to do. That sounds like approval to me, what do you think?”

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and construcgive, if reviewing. 

Mothers Tongue Lash by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 13 - MOTHERS TONGUES LASH


DINER - NEXT MORNING


DEBS


My hands are trembling so much that I can’t pick up my cup. “Debs, if he didn’t want to meet you, he wouldn't be coming, stop panicking!” Kiki declares. 


“What if he doesn’t like me?!” I twist the napkin.


“Don’t give him a reason not to!” She sighs, sitting opposite. “I need to tell you something. I had a number for Brian, to be used if anything happened to Vic.” She gauges my reaction, her eyes widening when I pat her hand. “How long have you known?”


“It was after you called us about Vic’s collapse, said you’d look after them. It didn’t register until a few weeks afterwards, then he and I had that row. And that reminds me, I must speak to Ted. He and Emmett seem fine, but he needs to pay that money back.” She looks surprised. “It’s our fault that he found out about it, so we need to talk about our part in that.”


“Are you serious?!” She gasps. “Michael won’t like that!” 


“Michael can be as mad as he wants. It's the right thing to do!” I sigh heavily. “I really regret it. Plain pride and fear of losing another son was why I went into business with him. I spend most of my time bored shitless and dying inside every time we watch a cartoon, a movie or go to a convention. Really made a rod for my own back, although I’m close to snapping it! He was such a jealous shitty shrew it was ridiculous!” 


“Yea, Kip did mention that he wasn’t happy.” She giggles. 


“Hi, Debs!” Joan calls from behind me. Bracing myself I turn around. “This is Hunter. Hunter, this is Debs. You can call her Grandma Debs.”


“Oh shit, oh shit!” I mutter, my palms and eyes both start to sweat. Although he doesn’t look like him, he’s got the same shyness I remember when I first met Brian, the lip twist and fist balling. As he gets alongside the booth, I stand and put out my hand. He looks puzzled. “I know your Dad, so he’s told you about me. I need to earn a hug.” He pulls me into one and squeezes as hard and mumbles something. “I didn’t hear you, what was that?”


“You mess it up and I take it back. Deal?”


“Deal!” I hiccup. “Sit down, both of you.”


“Thanks. So, am figuring you’re Kiki?” She nods. “Great! Gus said you do the best double chocolate mocha floats.”


“Nice to meet you!” She beams. “And I do, but how did Gus tell you that?


“Because he and Mel are just coming, they bonded very quickly!” Joan laughs. 


HALF AN HOUR LATER


GUS


“Mom, stop laughing! And you, stop that!” I declare, rubbing my cheek. “I’m gonna wear a football helmet if you carry on!” 


“Okay, for now I will, but they’re so pinchable!” Grandma Debs giggles, which is the first time I’ve heard her do so. Yes, she laughed, but it always sounded hollow. Mom said it’s because she saw Dad in me and it hurt as she missed him so much. Mom was stunned when she admitted that to her when they were out. I am so glad that they seem to have made peace. I’m still wary of it because her son can make her turn on a sixpence as Uncle Ted says.


“Are we going to order now we’ve transferred every photo of Hunter to you?” I grumble. Whilst a little shocked, she had so many of me. “I’m starving, and, hey Grandpa Vic!”


“Oh, for crying out loud, Debs, why didn't you answer your phone?!” He grumps as he comes up. “I was worried, thinking it had gone badly. He called saying he was going to get you to see things from his point of view now that you’ve sobered up. Said he saw you heading here.”


“Sorry, sweetheart, got caught up in everything.” She kisses his cheek.


“What happened earlier?” Mom asks, signalling Kiki much to my delight.


DEBS


“Who don’t you mean?” Vic snarks, and goes on to tell them about how Michael behaved, but not what he said about Joan. 


“Absolutely not!” Joan seethes. “He doesn’t get to meet - oh fudge, too late!”


We turn to the door. Whilst Michael has come in, he’s got his back to us, talking to someone.


“Vic, boys, get out back quick!” I shoo them away whilst Kiki removes any trace.


“We’re planning the playdate!” Mel whispers, Joan and I nod. 


As he strides up, he switches from angry to sad face. Ah that’s the game plan is it?! 


“Michael, what are you doing here? Is Kip at the store? I thought he was at the retailers’ convention today.”


“Store’s closed. Hi, Mel, Joan. How are you both?” He sighs and slowly sits. Kiki sticks her fingers down her throat.


“Why’s the store closed?” I frown.


“I’m meeting Brian and Ted later this afternoon. I’m worried that he’s going to be mad at me.”


“Why would he be mad?” Joan asks, I’m fuming, and wondering how long this has been happening?! “He was okay with you when we were out, except, of course, when you were pissing off his boyfriend.” 


“I was just surprised that he had one. I wish Uncle Vic had told me about that. I wouldn't have been taken so off guard and reacted like that. Then there’s the new child.” 


Joan's gaze freezes over. “You’re going to have to learn his name, or is he going to be that kid #2? You weren't taken off guard, you've always been rude and shrill.” As she places her glass down, I realise where his Kinney death glare comes from, her. “I don’t care whether you believe my sobriety. The important people do. You remember our last conversation outside your family home? I could barely get my words out, but oh how they stung eh?” His goes both ashen and red. “Treat my son and grandchildren better, understand?”


Although he never told me what was said, his reaction was everything. He was really scared for a few days, but as Brian came by as normal, slowly his cockiness, for that’s what it was, returned.


MICHAEL


How I hate this old crone! I check my watch, grab my phone, and stand by Ma’s side. “You should come now. We really need to talk about this.”


“What this?” She replies. Of course she’s showboating for her new bestie! “Surely, it’s best if you and Brian have whatever conversation you want to have alone? You know like you wanted to last night.”


“You can go afterwards.” I decide. “You’ve gotta be there for when he and Ted talk. You know how he can get when he’s upset, and that was very upsetting, wasn’t it?” 


“To Brian, not you, since apparently you laughed.” Crone craps on, I do wish she would stick a cork in it. “So to my mind, it’s for both of you to apologise, isn’t it?” 


“Brian!” Kiki gasps.


Heart soaring, I whirl around, but my joy dies when I see he’s with Ted!


“Hey, Kiki!” He gives her a hug. “Thank you, thanks for everything. The place is looking good.”


“You’re welcome, now you, Mr Schmidt, look at you! Come here, welcome back, welcome back the pair of you!”


“Brian, what are you doing here? I thought we were meeting later.” 


I go in for a hug, like last night Ted gets in the way as he slides in next to Madam Brat. Seconds later, finally, I’m in my happy, and rightful place, next to Brian. Just as I'm about to set Ted up for the Kinney kicking, the other brat comes in. “Uncle Vic, what are you doing here?” 


“Coming to say thank you to Kiki. And now I see them, getting Brian and Ted double chocolate mocha floats if they want.”


“We want!” Brian declares. When Joan links their arms, he chuckles then kisses her cheek. My stomach boils at her sly and smug look. “Are you going to order, Michael?”


“Just a coke, Uncle Vic.” When he doesn’t order it, I direct my anger at the interloper. “Ted, what do you have to say to Brian? Does he know what hurtful words you said that made him leave?” 


“Thank you for your gracious and generous offer, and I accept.”


“Accept what?” Ma and I frown. 


“The job as my CEO at Kinnetik. I’m opening an office here, that’s why I reached out to Uncle Vic via Kiki to feel it out. I miss this place. Wanted to see if we could co-exist again.”


“Wait a second, you’re back-back as in moving back?!” Ma gasps.


“Yep. Mom wants to be closer to Hunter, so I’m going to use this as a base instead. But there’s one person I need to clear it with, make sure it's okay.”


Of course it’s fucking okay! I want to dance! I want to scream! But mostly I want us to kiss like old times, to really reconnect!


“And who’s that?” I start to smile.


“Mel. We’ll have to sort out the custody and visitation for Gus. They bonded really quickly. Do we need to go to lawyers, or shall we just shake on it?”


I’m flabbergasted! Mel?! Mel is the important one?! What’s this bonded and custody mumbo jumbo? And why is he offering that smackhead a job after all he said about him?!


“Michael, are you alright?” Uncle Vic fakes concern. “Do you need the bathroom or something?”


“Bathroom? No. I’m in need of clarification.” I take a couple of deep breaths. “Brian, have Gus and Hunter already met?”


“Yeah, this morning, Mom suggested it.” He smiles. Seriously, why is he allowing himself to be fooled by this act?!


“It went perfectly. The next person he has to meet is you, Debs.” Crone squeezes her hand. “And of course Vic. I’ll sort that out.”


“Ma, are you happy with this? Uncle Vic?”


“Delighted. Why wouldn't we be? So when can this be set up?”


“How about this afternoon?”


“Yes, perfect!” Ma leans across to kiss her cheek, or should that be ass! “And Kiki, you can come too. If it wasn’t for you, these two would never be back!”


I feel like I'm in the Twifuckinglight Zone! “Can someone explain what Kiki has to do with that?”


“You still don’t listen when sulking?” Brian frowns briefly. “Or maybe it was too loud in Babylon. I was in touch with Kiki.”


“All this time?!” I turn to her, that deceitful mangy grinning Cheshire Cat! “Why didn't you say? You knew how much Ma especially was missing him. What kind of friend does that?!”


“I asked her not to tell her. Now let’s leave all of this in the past, we're all friends again, aren’t we?”


“Yes, we are.” Ma declares. “But there’s one thing that can’t be left in the past. Ted, I’m giving you $10,000 from the store to help pay Emmett back.”


“What?!” I gasp. “It wasn’t our fault, what he did!”


“If we hadn’t told him, he couldn't have taken it. It's the right thing to do.”


“The right thing is that he repays it, he stole it. Not us. That’s not fair!”


JOAN


I’m so pleased. I knew If I kept mentioning it, she’d come to that conclusion. I may have been a drunken old sot, but I remember everything. Now for this wily old fox to get that Mikey Monkey dancing to our tune!.


“That’s very good spirited of you, Debs. If I may venture another idea? It makes sense for Emmett to be in this custody conversation too. He’s Gus’s godfather, and since they’ve gotten on so splendidly, maybe Hunter would like him to be that as well?”


He has that same expression he had all those years ago - utter devastation


“Hunter wouldn’t like that.” Brian states. I watch the monkey relax, but the squeeze tells me it will be short lived. “He’d love it!”


“But, but what about me?” He stammers.


“What about you?” He shifts under my gaze. “Mel says, you’ve barely been in Gus’s life compared to Emmett, so why should you be ahead of him?”


“I thought, as his best friend, that I would be the first choice.” He looks beseechingly at Brian, who is on his phone. I wink at Mel and mouth Justin, when I see it’s him he’s checking in on. He got hit by a migraine and has been resting at Brian’s - at his vehement insistence - ever since. “Brian? Brian?”


“If Emmett says no, then yeah, you can be next I guess.” He declares, getting up. “And Ma, thanks for accepting blame. Really appreciate it, so will Emmett. I’ll tell him when I see him.”


“See him, what do you mean see him? Don’t you and Mel have things to talk about?” He babbles, his sneakers squeak as they fail to slow Brian’s forcing him out. “Where are you going?”


“To meet his boyfriend, Ben, I should imagine.”  I smile. While he smiles back, it’s sickly. “He is another person you have to be nicer to.”


“Oh yeah, Mikey, as first impressions go, not the best. Thankfully, David came through. Get my number off one of them and we can talk. Ted, speak to Jen about the office. Now I've got bones to jump - tata!”


“But Brian, wait a second, what did David do?!” 


In his haste to catch him, he leaves his phone, Debs pockets it. “Ted, off you go, we’ll chat later tonight.” 


As she strokes his chin, he's blinking back tears. “Around eight, and can I come round instead?”


“I insist. Now shoo! Kiki, close up, please.” 


“Debs?” I frown, Mel and Vic also look confused, it doesn’t take Kiki long.


We wait in silence as she scrolls through his phone. “Do, do you think I can come back?”


“Come back where?!” Mel demands


“Here, if you can work with me again, Kiki. I know you’ll have to speak to the owner, it's been a while.”


“I am the owner, so consider yourself re-hired!” Kiki beams. “This is where you belong, always have and always will, but what did he say to make the rod snap?”


“It’s what he didn’t say or do, isn't it?” Briefly, I feel for her, but she has to go through this. She has to see what we see. “He never said sorry nor accepted blame, and until he’s brought to his knees, he never will.”


“Then that’s what I’ll do, I’ll bring him to his knees!”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.

Asclepius and Aphrodite - AKA Brian and Deb, Hit His Gas and His Brakes by MissMerlot
Author's Notes:

Asclepius and Aphrodite are the Greek Gods of Healing and Love

CHAPTER 14 - ASCLEPIUS AND APHRODITE - AKA BRIAN AND DEB, HIT HIS GAS AND HIS BRAKES


BRIAN’S BATHROOM - LATE AFTERNOON 


BRIAN


I turn off the taps and smile because I can hear the worrying at his lip, plus the jangling of his nerves. “Come on, Mr Sicky Mucky, get in!” I call through the door, where he’s standing still fully dressed. “Pick an end.” I whisper as I nudge him inside and close the door.


JUSTIN


Pick an end he says! Like that’s the easiest damn thing in the world - I'm going to be naked with him! But on the flip side, after I was so pathetically weak, he most likely doesn’t fancy me anymore! I haven’t had a migraine like that in ages. At least I didn’t puke, so that’s something. 


Checking out the products makes me smile. “Aromatherapy Associates and La Pearla. Of course only the very best for Mr Kinney, heaven forbid that anything from Target should sully his skin.” Rolling the screen back makes me gawk. “So he’s a size queen in everything!” The bath is at least seven foot long and three wide. As I test the water, my funk hits me. “How didn’t he smell that?!” I cringe, then see my hair. “Ah, shit, I look like Vector from Despicable Me!!”


“Are you in yet?!” He shouts. “Want more water or anything?” 


“Sparkling water, please, also shampoo and conditioner. Thanks!”


Once he’s gone, I submerge then indulge myself by doing a couple of spins. As I surface, I find Brian holding a tray, wearing nothing but a smile and boxers. He’s seriously getting in with me?!


“So, Mr Croc, which is first, you drink water or I wash your hair?” I move forward. He gets behind me and hands over the shampoo. Bracing myself, I pour some into his palm, then stay absolutely still. There’s just burgundy silk between my head and his cock!


BRIAN


Finally, he’s starting to relax! “So your thoughts on Evan?” He looks so unimpressed, I almost happy dance. “Your Mom put you in with me to stop him from taking you home.” 


“I’ll buy her dinner.” He wipes his brow. “I think Daph is going to encourage him to hang around to do some needling. What was he like?”


“Amenable. And…oh, I’ve just remembered.” I start to snicker, he nudges my knee. “His dirty talk was on a par with Michael’s charm.” 


“Oh boy!” He chuckles whilst popping bubbles.


“You need to rinse.” As he slides under the water, I find him moving the suds to cover his modesty, worryingly cute!


JUSTIN


When I resurface against his chest, his legs stretch out. One arm is on the side of the bath, the other floats by my hip before scooping bubbles around my waist. The water is making me feel too relaxed, I need to get out. “What’s your plans for the rest of the day?”


“Gonna change the sheets so you can go back to bed, then do some work after you’ve eaten. He'd have gotten my number by now, as he was super keen to bask in the shellacking he thinks Ted’s going to get.”


“I can go back to my place, it's fine.” I immediately regret it because not only am I still very tired, his bed is so comfy! “For a man who’s in love with you, he doesn’t like you much, does he?”


“Stop being a twot and go back to bed. I’ll put some sweats out and those funky duds through the wash. Nod to concede.” I do so, he smirks a little. “Michael does like me when I’m being the Brian that he can handle. What made you say that?”


“The looks he was giving us when we were dancing. In fact, when you danced period, he didn’t look at all happy.”


“Well, according to him, I can’t dance.” I turn to face him, he bubble-scoops again. “I grind, I hump, or, depending on the beat, I air fuck, but dance? No. Dancing takes skill, dexterity, and, as he kept reminding me, I was awful unless I was dancing with him. I was determined to fix the things that everyone said I couldn't do, so I took lessons, and, et voila, yes sir I can boogie.” 


I roll my eyes whilst reaching for my water. “Oh, thanks for bringing my phone in.”


“Welcome, you have a message from Daph.”


“Hold that, please?” He takes the glass whilst I read the message. “That shady fucker! I have a thought.” He swaps my phone for the water, I watch for his reaction as he reads what she heard him say about Joan. “Wanna hear?”


“Just a sec.” He blinks a couple times. “He has no idea what her life was like. It wasn’t just me that got hit! That's it, I’m gonna fucking kill him!” As he leaps up, his cock flicks my nose hard. Yelping, I clutch my face. “Oh, fuck, I’m so sorry! You alright, let me see!” He pulls my hands away. “It’s a bit red, can you scrunch it?”


“You’re packing some meat there.” I quip and scrunch. “Am fine, are you okay?”


“Yeah, what was your thought? Let’s rinse and talk.” 


BRIAN


“Well, he wants you to himself, so if he thinks that you and Ben have split up because Ben and Emmett screwed behind your back, which, I will help him find out, then he will dump David, which gets Daphne happy. Of course, I shall let him be the one to tell you about Ben and Ems, thus giving him an opportunity to dump both in the shit with you too. And then there’s the moving into the office, have you sorted that out yet?”


“You need to condition.” I purr as he scrubs my back. “He knows about Ted’s job. Debs is giving him ten gees to pay Emmett back.”


“Wow. So what do you think?” He yawns. I move him under the shower then pour the conditioner.


“If this is how you think when you're sick and tired, I’m never gonna piss you off!”


“Damn right you shouldn't!” He sniggers, before shrieking when I turn the water to cold!


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


My grumpiness starts evaporating when I catch a whiff of whisky. “Is that the blackberry one that Joan makes?” 


He nods, pressing his lips together. “Want something to eat? We’ve got sausages, frankfurters or, um, cocktail?” 


Although the whisky doesn’t burn as I cough and splutter, my eyes water. As he hands me a tissue, his lips press tighter. “It’s not funny!” 


“It is!” He guffaws. “You went from eight to an inch in seconds!” I fold my arms, the bed dips, after they’re firmly uncrossed, he strokes one. It feels so good. “I wouldn't have done that if I had known about the side tap. You can get me back if you want.”


“I may well do that.” I retort.


“I shall be on guard.” He replies, as he gets in bed! “You gonna stop sulking and accept my apology?”


“You’ve not actually said sorry.” I point out.


“I bought biscuits.” Ohmygod he does look so appealing! Hands behind head, sweater unzipped, his pheromones winning the scent battle against the whisky. 


He puts a plate on his chest. “How many can I have?”


“As many as you want.” He replies, tugging at his sweater, which is cashmere. Seriously, doesn't he do common threads?! My greed wins out, though it’s his stomach that rumbles. As he bites down, the thought of those perfect teeth nibbling my nipple makes my breath stutter. 


“Come closer.” Is all I need to hear, the plate hits the floor as I plunder his mouth. He shifts me between his legs, one hand is kneading my ass the other is in my hair. He tastes so good, whisky and cookies with a hint of toothpaste. 


When I realise he’s letting me control the kiss, I slow it down. He groans and throbs. “You pleased to feel me?”


“Very, now get back to it, my bossy bottom!” He gruffs, giving me a pinch.


“My teasing top!” I return. 


After slowly turning us over, he nuzzles my neck. “Can you wait a couple of weeks until I’m back properly? Then we can really go to town on each other.”


“Patience reaps its own reward.” I murmur, before reasserting my dominance.


MICHAEL’S VAN, OUTSIDE DEBS HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


MICHAEL


I couldn't believe it when I got back to the diner, less than ten minutes later, and it was shut! I couldn't even call her because I left my phone there, and on top of that, I was flat out in the store. I had gone back to just collect my keys and go home, but then a delivery, which Kip never told me about, arrived and I had to sort it out. Furious doesn’t come close! 


I decided to stop in Woody’s, and lo and fucking behold there was Emmett, slacking in his godfather duties, as he was trying to hook up with someone out of his league! I found a spot opposite to watch his woefully pathetic Lana Turner act play out. However, the dude, like Brian with Crone, seemed to be buying it - more fool him! Then Daphne came in with Evan, and whilst that didn't bother me, David joining them did! By the time I made my way through the crowd, they’d all disappeared. 


I look at the house. It’s still in darkness. “Where the hell is she?! It can’t take that long to say hi to him. I just want my phone so I can go and get some bloody sleep!” I grab the blanket, turn up the heating, and set my timer for an hour.


DEBS’S  KITCHEN - FORTY FIVE MINUTES LATER


TED


“Why didn’t you talk to me? How didn’t I notice how bad you were?” She whispers. I’m wincin because I wish Blake wasn’t privy to how I descended into even deeper hell after I got hold of Emmett’s money. “I am so, so, very sorry. I’m ashamed, I really am!”


“Debs, nobody did this to me and Emmett but me.”


“Did you go into a programme?” Blake asks, I shake my head. “You mean you just stopped and stayed clean? Wow, that takes a lot of strength, which I wish I had at the time.”


“You were using?” I gasp, he nods, sitting down when Debs moves the chair. “I, um, is it okay to ask?”


“Same as you, had been on it for over ten years, repeat relapser. I was literally on skid row and sold the only thing I had left.” He blushes, when it hits her, Debs takes his hand, nodding for him to continue. “But I just couldn’t do it, so I ran out, straight into Brian. He was not happy to have his coat sullied by some skanky tweaked out asshole, unquote, which made me cry and unload onto him. At first, I thought he’d walk, but he stood there until I finished, then he gave me $50 bucks and a card, saying to call him if I spent it wisely. I went to a cheap but clean hostel and slept for three days, then ate my first proper healthy meal. I remember the feeling of being clean, how good the water felt. I laundered my clothes and called. He said to meet him in Grand Central Park within an hour. I did, and the rest is history.”


“How long have you worked with him?” She asks, oh how proud she looks! I remember basking in that when I got my first client. “Stop brooding, it’s done, you’re here now. He’s forgiven and, most importantly, believes in you. Start repaying that faith. If you fuck him over, you’ll be dealing with me as well!” She hands me the tea towel. “Blake, how long?”


“Six years.” He replies, switching on the kettle. “Had my last mandatory drug test two years ago, but I still go to meetings every week, no matter where I am.”


“You know maybe you can be each other’s support system, like a sponsor thing? Not that I think either of you are gonna relapse of course!” She looks between us.


His brow furrows briefly. “Do you know what your trigger is? Or did you get the urge when you feel a bit halt?” 


“A bit halt?” I frown.


“Sorry, it's an acronym that I heard in the groups, it’s short for hungry, angry, lonely, tired. When I was feeling that way, that’s when I used it most.” I give this some thought and it hits me that’s exactly what I did! “Ah the realisation spark, you need to come to a meeting with me for sure.”


“Excellent!” Debs grins. “Now we’re taking these to the parlour and watching a non-Marvel or comic book themed movie, unless you guys need to go?”


“No. We can keep you company, right, Ted?” 


Feeling profound relief, I nod and help him set up the tray.


PARLOUR - THIRTY MINUTES LATER


DEBS


Oh, how I’ve missed watching a normal grown up movie! It’s been so long since I watched one, the DVD box was covered in cobwebs, which resulted in some very girly screams from them at the spiders that had taken up residence. 


As I crank the barcalounger back, Ted gets comfortable on the sofa. We chuckle at the gasps and squeals from Blake as he checks the movies. He has a quiet ease about him, and then of course there was the little look as Ted walked up the path, which is why I insisted he join us! 


“Looking for Langston and The Celluloid Closet! We have to watch one of these, they’re iconic!” 


Before we can make a decision, I hear Michael’s key in the door, then him cursing up a storm. “Ma! Why is the chain on?!” My heart sinks at Ted’s reaction, he looks miserable and wary. “Take it off, I want to talk to you and get my fucking phone! I know you must have it!”


Rolling my eyes and scowling, I grab it from the shelf. “I'm fine, thanks for asking!” 


“Obviously, now hurry up!” He spits, almost pulling it closed. Within seconds of it coming off, I’m shoved aside. “I need to piss, I've been out there for ages!”


Ted and Blake start to gather their things as he bangs about upstairs. “What are you doing? We’re going to watch the movie. Please sit down, he’s not chasing you away.”


Again his game face changes as he comes down. “Sorry about that, Ma, you alright, I didn’t hurt you did I? I was desperate. Hi, I’m Michael, and you are?” His hand outstretched, his smile toothsome. “A friend of his or my Ma’s? If hers, I wonder where she’s been hiding you?”


“I’m Ted’s friend, Blake.” He returns and avoids Michael’s attempt at the double clasp. “So, shall we continue, guys? Which one are we going to watch?”


“I love movie night!” He glances at the tray. “Ma, what’s with the fuddy duddy tea? Let me get popcorn and proper drinks! What’s your poison, Blake?”


“Tea.” He replies.


Michael's face remains rictus grinned. I’m livid as he uses his ass to almost shove Ted off the sofa, once he’s comfortable, he pats the cushion with a leer. Instantly, I am taken back to four years ago. It was in Woody’s and the moment Emmett said ‘there’s a handsome and distinguished gentleman’ and David smiled in our direction, Michael made it his mission to get him. 


However, I’ve clocked his game now. So sit next to him. “Sweetheart, David called me, when he couldn't get hold of you.”


“I’ll just call him now, won’t be long. Ma, you can’t let Blake use the lounger, he’s our guest.” 


I can’t believe his continual ass-shunting. “Michael, David wants you to meet him for a drink. He’s his boyfriend Blake, they’ve been together for four years. Asked me to tell you as he knew you would come here, he went to the store but, once more it was shut - which we will talk about, tomorrow.” 


“He does, why do we need to talk about the store being shut?”


“Yes and because we do. Off you go. I’m sure we’ll all meet up for dinner at George’s.”


“Oh he’ll be fine. Let’s watch a movie.” He orders before pressing his back. “Sitting out there has made me so stiff. Blake, you look like you’d know a good masseuse.”


“No I don’t.” Blake snaps. “And your back’s fine, it’s your ass that’s the issue. Ted’s not going to move, so take your sharp elbow and non-subtle hints home to your boyfriend of 4 years instead of trying to get into the pants of someone you’ve known for four minutes!” I’ve never seen or heard Michael leave the house so quickly or quietly. “Sorry about that Debs, but he was being so rude to Ted.”


“Oh that’s fine, nicely shot down!” I giggle and start to set up the movie. 


“When did David call you?” Ted asks, as he pours the tea.

 

“He didn’t.” I reply, handing Blake the remote. “I just wanted him gone and hoped it would work. Then Blake smashed him out of the park.” As the movie starts, I reach for the curtains, and fume, Michael is still out there! “Get comfy boys, we're going to be watching movies, deep into the night.”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks

He Bites and She's Back by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 15 - HE BITES AND SHE’S BACK


OUTSIDE WOODY’S


DAVID


I check my watch again. For someone who said he’d be 20 minutes, he's been a lot longer. Finally I see his van. I grimace as he gets out with an armful of comics, well that explains things. “Did you get what you wanted?” I paste on a smile, which he barely returns. “What’s wrong?”


“Been a long day. I need a drink.” 


“Why not leave them in the van?”


“How did you come through with Brian?” He growls as he puts them back, I’m surprised the door stays on its hinges after that slam. 


“Oh just something and nothing. Will let him tell you.” I chuckle, he gets more sour faced.


“How generous of you! Do you think you can give me, his best friend, his number, so I can find out?” 


“First, stop snapping your fingers like you’re calling a puppy! Secondly, I don’t have his number, why would he give it to me?”


“He said earlier to get it off them after talking about you coming through.” His lips are pursed so tight they’re white. “Where are you going? You said you wanted me to meet you for dinner!”


“I wanted my boyfriend to meet for dinner, not whatever you’ve turned up as!”


“Wait, David, I’m sorry, I was...”


“Being the asshole you keep saying that Brian is!” 


MICHAEL


Every part of me wants to tell him to fuck off, but I can’t do that until I’ve got Brian and I locked down! My mood is not helped when I get to the dining room and I can’t see him.


As I go to do another circuit, a guy calls me over. “Have you tried lost and found?”


“Huh?” 


“Thought you were looking for the dignity you left the last time you were here.” He and his friends bray like jackasses. “But if you’re looking for David to grovel too, he just left.”


Their laughter follows me out. “David!” I yell as I see his car pulling out, but he doesn’t stop. As I head back to the van, all I can think is that I can’t wait to painfully dump him, then make him sell the house for my share!


Fifteen minutes later, I pull into the drive. For once, relieved he’s so precious about his car. He won’t take the back roads as they will ruin the finely tuned and delicate suspension…apparently. I hurry inside. Glancing at the clock. I see I’ve got at least ten minutes, so I open the wine and wait.


HALF AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL


“Michael!” I jerk awake. I push away a furious Princess Daphne’s hand and scrub my face. “What’s that about?! Ems! Can you get a cloth and the stain remover, please?”


“What?” I mumble, wiping my mouth then look where she’s pointing. Groaning, I right the bottle, but the damage has been done, and mostly on the sofa and rug. And where’s the other glass?


“He’s in the bathroom! What did you drop?!” Mel laughs as she enters. “Oh, hi, Michael. So what was it you dropped, Daph?” She asks. “What was that?!” She yelps, hopping backwards. She sits down and inspects her foot, pulling out a sliver of glass. “How the hell did this mess happen?!”


Daphne is looking at the hearth. “You bratty cretin!” She screams as Emmett comes in. “You did it on purpose!”


“I can replace the glasses and wine, plus get the rug cleaned. I fell asleep, it was an accident!”


“Bullshit!” Mel explodes. “You’re always like this when you don’t get your way. You fuck things up for others. And how do you propose to replace the glasses and wine given to her by her late grandmother?!”


My guts clench. “Daphne, I swear to you, I just grabbed the first ones I could. I just wanted to spend some quality time with your Dad after dinner.”


“So why aren’t you with him?!” Emmett seethes, I frown. “Best get that always stinking assitude over there, or he may see the light with Evan! I’ll, once more, clean up the frigging mess you made! Mel, you calm Daph down.”


DINER - TEN DAYS LATER


DEBS


It's been absolutely brilliant being back here! At first I was nervous, having to admit that I’d been a bit of a Lady Asinine when I left, then once the store took off, being a witchy-bitch of a windbag. However, after some well deserved shellacking, it’s as if I’ve never been gone! 


“Hey, Grandma!” Gus hollers from the door. “Leave him there, go inside!” He hurries out. Kiki and I frown, but before I can go check, Michael enters from the back.


“Ma, David’s just parking. Wanna grab the booth so I can tell you about our break? Oh, those few days to reconnect were just what we needed. Why are you wearing an apron?” He frowns. “Never mind, tell me after our chat. Need to piss.”


Reconnect and tell me about his trip, my ass. I think. He royally fucked up and had to suck up to David and Daphne. He’s sure as fuck not fooling me with this bullcrap about wanting to ‘telling’ me about his trip!



“Can I be off now, Kiki?” I ask just as Hunter arrives, looking like a hot mess. “What the hell?!” I gasp.


“Hi, Grandma, just gonna use the bathroom, then I will explain!” He runs past, blushing. “Gus has Pharoah!” 


“Okay, honey!” I call back. A second later, a chuckling Gus comes in. “Was it just you two?” 


“Nope, thank God, or it would’ve been a lot worse!” He laughs. I put the bowl of water down. “Floats, burgers and fries. Two coffees, one black to go and a latte, please.”


“Sure, Debs, but you lock up next Tuesday.” Kiki grins. I nod and take off my apron. “You okay, doll?”


“Yes, thanks Kiki.” Hunter sits in the booth next to Gus. “Did you order?”


“Yep! So spill it, what got you dragged into that hedge backwards?!”


“Combination of a squirrel and the boomerang!” Ben laughs as he saunters up. 


“Hi, honey!” I cry, kissing his cheek. My heart soared when he insisted that I do that. “Go on and join them, will bring the coffees over.”


“You will not, you’re on holiday. Now go join your family!”


MICHAEL


These last few days have been so frustrating and expensive! I had to replace the rug and the wine, as well as give Daphne the money for the glasses, but it was because of Evan that David and I ended up in Eastport. I had to get him out of his grasping claws! I was furious when I got back to Woody’s and they were sitting there laughing and joking. It was when I overheard Evan trying to set up an appointment for his ‘ankle’ that I knew I had to get David away from him. 


I shall take some petty cash from the store account though. I know we’ve got some residuals, as it would’ve been busy with the new releases, but the biggest frustration is not being able to find out about Brian. I did call Ma a couple of times, but could feel David listening, so just kept the chat about the store. 


However, despite giving her space to fill me in, she didn’t. Now I’ve ensured that I’ve got a few minutes before David comes to find out, which I’m determined to make the most of!


“Did you enjoy your trip?” I’m startled by Ben’s arrival. 


“Yes, how’s things been with you?” I reply, my heart beating. “Are you staying?”


“Yeah. we’ve worked up an appetite and he’s rather keen on the floats.” He replies. “See you out there.”


“Sure.” I grin, waiting a few seconds for him to hit the stall, then check my reflection - absolute perfection - what a great welcome back gift for me!  


DEBS


“Hi, Gus!” Michael squawks. “Where’s he sitting and David not here yet?”


“Hi.” Gus returns. “Who’s sitting where? And, sadly, not yet but hopefully soon.”


“Your dad of course.” He replies. I scowl. At least ask him how he is first before getting to your goddamn fix. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to his gurns of frustration when I didn’t let him know what was happening with Brian. “Wouldn’t want to get in the way.” Kiki’s loud ‘sneezing’ makes him scowl albeit briefly. “So which one?”


“Which one what?” Ben drawls, sliding in next to Gus. 


“Kiki, we're ready!” I call out.


“Never mind.” He replies, sitting next to Ben, much to his Ill disguised dismay. “Sorry about that, Davd, had to run to the bathroom!” 


“I did wonder why you sprinted off.” David sighs. “Here you are, Debs, this is from both of us.”


I wave him in, Michael looks puzzled. “Move down, David, there’s plenty of room.” 


“Hunter’s sitting there.” I state as I sit. “Is he doing okay, honey?”


“Yep.” Comes the muffled response, followed by the rest of him. “He’s had a good run, so it’s nap time. Oh, hi, who are you?” 


“I’m Michael, your Dad’s best friend. So you’re Hunter, pleased to meet you finally.”


“Michael, Michael, so you’re him. You’re pretty small for a guy who caused my dad so much pain. Not so pleased to meet you.” He stares at an astonished Michael. “This is where you own your shit and say sorry, everyone else has, and you as his best friend should’ve been the first.”


“I-I’ve not had his number.” Michael mutters, I enjoy the heat of his embarrassment. 


“You ably demonstrated that loud mouth of yours when you were caterwauling about not being able to spend time with him in Woody’s. You just need to do it and mean it.”


“When he gets here I will, I promise.”


“Fine. I will be polite until then. You don’t get nice from me until he’s happy with you.”


“And how long will he be?” Not since Blake burned him has he looked so owned!


“He’s back from Cali around six tonight. He’s closing down the office and the houses, plus doing a massive shop for me and Gus.”


“Although we share Dad, we do not share his love of shopping!” Gus fist bumps Hunter. “So glad that Mom and Auntie Ems went with him. At least he can calm down his excesses! Did he really get you Gucci football boots?”


“No, he got me Balenciaga running shoes.” Hunter sighs. “At least he was a bit practical when it came to the cleats, they’re Nike.” 


“Custom made.” Ben chuckles. “Be grateful for small mercies, the sole was almost gold plated.”


“You’re joking?” I giggle.


“Nope, I almost had to cancel his credit card.” 


“Kiddo is ridiculously extravagant. I love him for that!” I cackle.


“So who are you then?” Hunter turns to David.


“Michael’s boyfriend David. You’re dad’s a character.” Hunter’s face twists. “In the best possible way I mean. Despite his absence, he was welcomed back with open arms by Liberty Avenue, and everyone else.”


“Oh, okay, nice to meet you then. And I know what you mean about the welcome, someone almost broke a rib when they got him on his own. What do you do?”


“I’m a chiropractor.” 


Hunter snake eyes Michael. “So you get your funsies at work?”


“Huh? What do you mean funsies?” Kiki frowns while putting down the coffees. 


“With him as a boyfriend, you must get the butt stuff done at work. Do you have an arrangement with someone?”


“That’s…” Kiki smiles. “...a proctologist. What you said is…” She guffaws. “...unethical. Funny, but unethical!” Despite going back to the kitchen, the open hatch means we can still hear her. Michael glares at David, who concentrates on his coffee, whilst Ben and Gus make no attempt to hide their smiles. Kiki clears her throat. “You want the food to go or you gonna eat before you guys leave?!”


“We’ll take it to go!” Ben replies. “When do you get off, Debs?”


“Am off now.” I smile then jump. “He’s awake.” I move out, and after a couple of seconds, Pharoah emerges. He hops onto the seat next to David, sniffs, then licks him from jaw to forehead, before pushing himself between Hunter and David with a contented sigh, which moves David down a bit. “I’ll stand up shall I?” 


“Michael will. Let her sit down.” Hunter orders. “Papa Ben would rather sit next to Grandma anyway.” Silently, he gets up, face mottled, lips pinched. Whilst I settle down, he goes to get a chair. 


I give him his phone, he mutters his thanks, then leans across to check out Pharoah. “Nice dog. What kind is he?”


“Pharaoh hound. Shall we eat in the car?” Gus looks between Hunter and Ben, the latter nods. “Okay, now Grandma, remember not to feed or mention them at all. We won’t be there to help you, you promise?” 


“Debs, you’re blushing.” David smirks. “What happened?”


“Was that when you had to take an emergency day?” Kiki’s eyes gleam. “And Cupid had to bring around half the kitchen supplies?”


MICHAEL


“Emergency day? Kitchen supplies?” I question tiredly, this is turning to another crapshoot for me!


“Debs is back in the diner, where she belongs. Lucky for her, I’m an understanding boss!” 


“Debs, what happened for you to need an emergency day and when did you return to the nest?” David taps her hand, she goes redder. “Never heard you so quiet, boys wanna explain?”


“Sure, Uncle David. Oh, that's okay, isn’t it, since that’s what Gus calls you?”


“That’s absolutely fine, Hunter. Proceed.”


“Not sure about the nest thing, but we went around for dinner - the four of us, well five if you count the lunk here. Grandma was doing the m-words in bone broth, for this place, right?” Ma nods, head in hands. “It was literally seconds after we unleashed him that he launched himself at the stock pots. Thank algebra it wasn’t boiling, they went everywhere! We had to pull out the stove as well, hours it took us to clean then paint.” 


I wait for them to stop laughing. “Algebra?”


“Not allowed to f-bomb, so that’s our word.” He replies, while pulling out his phone. “Christ, Gus, check it out!” He hands it across, Gus nods and smiles. “So who do you reckon, Aunt Mel or Ems?”


“As a matter of interest, Ben, why aren’t you with Brian?” I ask, hoping for some good news!


“Because Mom needs to see the houses in Cali and New York before he temporarily closes them down. And she’s got to see the school to enrol me and stuff like that.” Gus hands the phone back. “Aunt Ems for sure, he knows she’d like that. Mom doesn’t get her taste, he does.”


“And why is he with Brian and your Mom?” I keep my tone neutral, even though I’m so hurt.


“Dad asked him.” Hunter swipes the screen. “It really is very pretty.” He looks at Ma and smiles. “Hope you like it.”


“You can show me.” I grab this chance to bond with him. “I know what she likes.”


“I could, but we want it to be a surprise. You have a big mouth and no filter, remember?”


KIKI


“Hunter, you’re crossing the line.” I state, whilst the silent graves that are Debs and David are making his royal brattiness twitch. “If you can’t be polite or nice, then don’t deal with him.”


“So we're going now, right?” He stands up. “As a Kinney, I only have so much restraint...”


“Yeah let’s go!” Ben nudges Debs out. She takes her time, whilst he’s about to combust. “See you around eight.” 


“Okay, send me photos.” Debs orders as she kisses them all goodbye, then watches them fondly. I am so happy for her, and fervently hoping the brat doesn’t turn her sixpence with guilt. “Right, let me get him home.”  She reaches for the leash, but he grabs it first. “Michael?”


“We'll take him to ours.” He snipes, clipping the leash on. “You can follow and we talk there, then we’ll drop him at yours. Come on.” 


“Fine, we’ll go back to yours, but David will take Pharoah, you follow.” Debs declares. “This way or no way.” He hands him the leash and stalks out, we wait for him to hail a cab. “I’m sorry, David, for everything I did where you and your home is concerned. I’ve apologised to Daphne too. Will you accept it?”


At first he’s stunned, then embraces her warmly. “Thank you, apology accepted. And I’m sorry you’re going to have to speak to Michael alone, I’ve got an appointment.”


“You okay?” She squeezes his arm.


“I’m fine. It’s for Evan. Will you be okay with Pharaoh in the car?”


“Maybe I should take a cab?” She frowns.


“Or maybe?” Ted calls from the front booth. “You could let me drive, I want to speak to you about the store.”


“Ted! How long have you been there?” I hug him after Debs.


“Long enough. Debs, I’ve been checking the accounts like you asked. Yes, you can sell to Kip, Michael or anyone else you want.” 


She frowns at Ted. “Who else would I sell it to if not them?”


“Would you consider me? I’m serious if you are?”


“I’m not sure how Michael will feel about that!” She pats his cretfallen cheek. “But that’s for you and him to deal with, let’s shake on it.” All jaws are on the floor. “Would it be okay if Ted drove, David?”


“No, I’ll reschedule Evan, there’s no way I’m missing out on you telling him about this new partnership for all the tea in China!”


“Hang on, I’m coming too!” I declare, and five minutes later, we're off. “You know what, Debs.” I whisper. “You’re back.”


“I know.” She replies. “And here to stay.”

 

End Notes:

Pleaase be kind and constructive if reviewing

Reunited And It Feels So...Good? by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 16 - REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO…GOOD?


MICHAEL AND DAVID’S HOME - FORTY MINUTES LATER


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


About bloody time, I fume as the door opens and she’s trying to persuade the mutt to come in! 


“Did he give you much trouble? I will speak to Brian about lessons! Put him outside, then come through the kitchen. We’ve just had a new carpet put in the lounge!” 


“Debs, let me take him, you go and sit down.” Why has David come back with her, what happened to the appointment?! Getting her alone was the whole point of me saying come back to ours! “Michael, put the kettle on for the tea whilst I do that, okay?!” 


“Tea?” My hopes soar. Tea means that he’s going to be going out - he’s so teetotal when he’s driving, even just ten minutes down the road, so annoying. “Okay then. Ma, you’ll have wine, right?”


“I’ve bought champagne!” She laughs as she enters…with Kiki and Ted! “The tea is for Ted, Kiki and I will have this. Would you be okay to open it, Ted?”


“Of course.” He smiles, I move my phone from his thieving druggy reach. “How have you been, Michael?”


“Great. David and I just came from a romantic break in Eastport.” I gloat. “It’s so good to be in a loving and stable relationship. I doubt anything like that is on the horizon for you.”


“What I have in my life is wonderful right now. Friends and family, especially Ems, Debs and Brian.” He returns, then chuckles. “Judging by the way that David is with Pharoah, I can see him adding to his.”


“That’s something for us to discuss.” I clip out, watching David wrestle with the dog. “I won’t be a second, make yourselves comfortable.”


It takes almost three minutes for David to notice me. “He is gorgeous, isn’t he?!” 


“He’s cute. What time’s your appointment?” I close the door and step closer. “And what are Ted and Kiki doing here?”


“You’d need to ask your Mom.”


“I thought you had an appointment around now?“ I press as he continues to play with Pharaoh. “David, your appointment? And can you drop Kiki and Ted off as I want to speak to Ma about something.”


“Rescheduled.” He frowns at the sky. “Pharaoh, come!” He grins as he trots back with a stick. “Drop. Debs wanted to speak to both of us. Shall we go in?” 


As I’m about to insist Pharaoh stays outside, the heavens open. “You put the kettle on, I’ll dry him off!” He orders, pushing past me. Filled with rage and confusion, I go do my master's bidding!


BRIAN’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


“Hi.” He grins.


“Hi.” I grin back.


He adjusts his hold around my ass. He was unfazed when I leapt into his arms seconds after he came in. 


“You’re either lighter than you look or that exercise regime you have me on is working.” I nip his top lip. “Is that a taster?” I kiss his forehead. “Did you miss me?” He smirks.


“Did you miss me?” I counter.


“Who leapt?” His answer bumps against me.


“Who caught?” I jibe. He rolls his eyes, then hips. “Brian.” I husk. “Now...”


PANTRY - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Although they've gone, their laughter lingers. “Were you trying to tell me our Moms are here?” I quip; he sighs and nods. “They think we're just kissing…” His snort turns into a moan as I return my hand to his cock, which was swinging so provocatively in his sweats when he jumped on me. “...ever done it when your folks were home?” His shocked lusty look makes me chuckle. “It does add to the thrill, having to keep quiet, whilst…” My sigh at my fly going down, reverberates, his fingers are warm and determined.  “…fucking.” He frowns. “What’s that look for? You’ve seen and felt it before…admittedly that was your nose.” 


Not only does his frown deepen but he starts to soften. “Justin?”


“I can feel something. What is that?” 


“A fake ball.” I remove my hand. “I hoped you would…”


“It was you that had cancer?” I’m stunned. “She never said who; just asked me so many questions. I thought she was gearing up to tell me something, but she never did.”


“Who are you…”


“My Mom. Does Joan know? What about Ben and Hunter? Mel? Gus?” His caring expression cools my anger at it a little. “Sorry, I’ve ruined the…”


“Stop.” I kiss his forehead, he maintains eye contact whilst zipping me back up. “The only one that doesn’t is Gus. Mel, Ems and I are going to be telling him.”


“Will Hunter be with him?” He alternates between rubbing and squeezing my side. This level of intimacy is unfamiliar and a little discomfiting. “How will you tell him? It will be daunting to hear it.” His concern for Gus begins to thaw the Davy Jones’s locker I’ve put it in for years. Not wanting to deal with it because I’m angry that I had to face my mortality so soon. “Maybe if he reads it first then he can ask you quest…” I open the door. “...Brian, I’m sorry it’s the nurse in me. How you do this is none of my…” I hold up a hand. “...um?”


“Come with me.” 


BRIAN’S ROOM - FORTY MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


We’d sat on the bed to read his cancer record, for him it's the first time. The file wasn't even unsealed. It being a paper file didn’t surprise me; when I asked if that was because he didn’t want to accidentally open an electronic one, he nodded. Now that he’s read and understood it; he’s turned from haunted, angry and scared to accepting and relieved.


He’s speaking to his oncologist whilst making notes. I put the blackberry whisky down with a smile. “One sec…get our Moms for me, please.” We're back in seconds. “Let me just put you on speaker, Dr Frost…” They look shocked. “…with me are my Moms and my friend, Justin, so you can take us through it together and we can figure the best way to tell Gus and his other grandma. Suspect she’ll freak out the most.”


LOUNGE - A COUPLE OF HOURS LATER


JEN


I’m so proud of him; Justin got him to talk about his cancer! When he was first diagnosed, he clammed up, not even telling Ben about appointments. He went on his own. Even though he was sick with the treatment, he refused help. Now that monkey’s finally off his back, he’s napping with Joan watching over him.


Justin’s gone to get some things for the rest of the week; all four of them are telling them this weekend. It also saves him the journey Brian said. I resisted pointing out that he lives less than an hour away and it’s Wednesday!


MICHAEL AND DAVID’S HOME - SAME TIME


KITCHEN


MICHAEL


“You’re not serious?!” I gasp. “This is something that we as partners, let alone mother and son, should’ve discussed in private first!”


“As you said to me before...” Ma glowers. “...I can handle the business side of things, so it’s handled. I’ve sold to Ted, and that’s that. Figure out how to work together.”


“You’ve got the money already?” I drop into the chair. “Where from Ted? Unlike Ems, I doubt that Brian would just cut you out of his life for taking his money.” 


“Since you know nothing about Brian, there’s no chance of you telling me his bank details. However, it’s because of Brian that I'd been able to pay.”


“Brian?” I echo.


“Yes, he gave me the money.” How I wish his tea would burn his throat then choke him. “Nothing changes for you and Kip. You’ve often said how much of a nest egg this is.” He slides across a card. “I meant to give you this the last time we were together, but you left so quickly. It’s Brian’s number.” 


“Thanks.” I grit out feeling so insulted that I’m getting it from him and his barbed remarks. “I’ll call him later. We’ll have to get together, Ted, to discuss how the business works.” I start to clear the table - they are frowning. “You guys aren’t finished then? Okay, I’ll take the dog back to Brian.”


“Pharaoh is staying with Mel.” David ruffles his ears. “So take him there, will you be long? You guys staying for take out?” Oh, hold a second…” He steps out to take his call, we sit in silence. “...sorry about that guys. I’ve got to go. Michael, I can drop you off instead.”


I’m so relieved to be getting out of the company of those three grinning fools that I rush out, almost knocking Daphne over. “Sorry, need the bathroom!” I lie, but then head that way for a few minutes respite - and to call Brian!


THE CAR - AN HOUR LATER


DAVID


I know exactly why he’s so chipper. First, because he was happy to get Pharoah out of the car, but more importantly, for him, he’s seeing Brian, and just Brian, tomorrow. He has not stopped talking about how they’re going to go to Woody’s, maybe even  Babylon, and I shouldn't wait up for him. I just smile and nod.  


“Oh, who was on the phone?” He asks, checking his reflection.


“The first was Evan, the second…” I grimace at the traffic. “...what’s going on up there?” I crane my neck to see. “Well the cops are there; an accident maybe.”


“Why are you speaking to Evan?” He slowly faces me.


“Why shouldn't I speak to him?”


“Because I’m your boyfriend…”


“Which has what to do with him as my patient?” I ask.


“He slept with Brian.” He states. “And why didn't you tell me about this?”


“I did, whilst we were in Eastport. Why didn’t you didn’t tell me that you gave Ted Emmett’s bank information, why did you do that?”


He frowns. “Never mind that now. I can’t have you treating someone that Brian has slept with! It will impact our future relationship!”


“Then I’d have no home patients given his reputation around Liberty Avenue!” I laugh, then see he’s serious! “Michael, you’re not only being ridiculous but you sound jealous.”


“I’m not jealous! There are other chiropodists…chiropractors, why can’t he go to them?!”


“Because he wants to work with me; the treatment he’s lined up will more than contribute to our future, which won’t be blighted at all as long as you contain your emotions.”


“My emotions are fine, I was just surprised that's all. This is another thing I’m going to speak to Brian about.”


“Because?” I frown.


“I want his take on it and an explanation about what he did for Ted.”


“That’s none of your business.” I point out.


“Of course it’s my business! He’s in business with me!”


“Ted is, Brian isn’t.” I state, relieved that traffic is starting to move quickly. “I wouldn't broach that subject, he might not appreciate your questions.”


“It will be fine.” He replies, smiling in the side mirror. “He’s my best friend, we’ve always told each other everything and we always will.”


NEW KINNETIC OFFICES - NEXT DAY, AFTERNOON


MICHAEL


“The old baths!” I call out as Brian prowls down the street. Someone catcalls him, he mock salutes. “Of all…” My sentence is drowned out by a horn blast, I huff when the car pulls over. After about five minutes, I decide whoever has had enough of his time. I don’t get more than a few steps before Jennifer gets out, my heart sinking at their linked arms as they approach. 


“Michael, how are you?” She asks as she unlocks the door.


“Great, you? The baths Brian, think you’ll find any memories lingering?!” I flush at their unimpressed expressions. “Just a joke, you know with your history.”


“Not funny.” He retorts, dropping the door on me. I’m taken back to his reaction eight years ago but keep my scowl inside and mutter apologies whilst slowly rubbing my arm. “You’re letting out the heat.” 


After I save his oh so precious heat, I look around. “Wow, some serious money has been dropped on this place!” 


“Of course it has.” He declares. “My clients expect nothing but the best, the only thing that’s different is the aesthetic, intrinsically it’s Kinnetic. Can’t wait for the LA office to be finished.”


“That was the realtor…” Jennifer rejoins us. “...the house in LA is - oh, sorry, Brian. I didn’t realise he was still here, we’ll speak later.”


“It’s okay.” I grin, hanging up my jacket. “You can talk shop in front of me.”  


“No we can’t.” Brian returns. “We’ll talk over dinner, what time is that?” 


“Eight. And don’t be late.” She orders. “Or no pudding for you!”


“Carbs after seven is not something Brian does.” I declare, he smirks and nods.


“It’s peach and red berry ice cream cake.” She smiles as he stops scrolling eyes wide. “You heard me.”


“Eight?”


“Will you be on time?” She asks, clicking her case shut. 


“Yeah.” He kisses her cheek and, finally, it’s just the two of us. It takes him a few seconds to speak, only to say how much he adores her!


“She reminds me a bit of Cynthia.” I barb, hating her for her last line in the sand protecting him whenever I came to the office. He soon set her straight, the same will go for Jennifer no doubt. “Wonder where she ended up. You know Ryder closed down?”


He frowns slightly. “Uh, yeah, I bought him out. As for Cynthia, she runs the California office.”


“She works for you?!” I gape. “Why?”


“She’s the best PA I ever had here, also a true friend.” He sits behind his desk and boots up his computer. “Without her I wouldn't be where I am now. She gave me the tip on the New York job, then got me out there.” 


I’m so winded. “Enough about work, how have you been? Help yourself to a drink.” He waves at the fridge. I take out two beers, crack them open and sit opposite him. “I don’t want one.”


“More for me then.” I smile and take down the first bottle in minutes. “God I needed that!”


“Clearly. Did you drive here?” He raises an eyebrow when I nod. “They’re pretty strong, so maybe take a cab back.”


“We’ve had much stronger than that and driven!” I scoff, his frown deepens. As I put it down, his phone rings. He checks who it is, then heads out to speak to them, taking his laptop with him! 


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


One of the things about Kinnetic is the two way mirrors, which we kinda tell the client about, so I’ve been watching him whilst checking my emails. It was Mom’s idea to have my alarm go off within 20 minutes and then leave him alone for another fifteen. For the first five or so, he’s just looking around, but as time wore on, his gaze lingered on the door. Now he’s on his third beer - the second empty bottle is in his holdall. I snicker at the video that Hunter sent me of him and Gus making the cake, they’ve taken after me in that we're messy cooks! 


He’s walking around with his arms folded, glaring at the door. I fume as he rubs the beer drip into the carpet with a smile. “Shitkicker!” I mutter and head back out.


“Are we going to catch up, or is there more work for you to do?” That smile doesn't mask the snark. “Can you turn your phone off or put it on silent?”


“No more work and no I won’t.” I put my laptop in my case; he sits on the sofa, patting the space beside him. I take the armchair, he moves closer. “Well how are you?”


“A bit mad at you.”


“Because?” I lean back, hands in pockets, just in case.


“You could’ve let me know that you were thinking of coming back. Why go through Uncle Vic? We're best friends for fuck sake. And then there’s Ted and Ma.”


“Because you hurt me. You watched my goodbye and fuck you lot video, you know since you tried to get in touch with me for the next four years.” Him drinking the beer doesn’t hide the eye rolling either. “But like I said, it’s in the past. You’re doing okay from all accounts. Loved up, almost a father. The business is going well - you’re set for life as long as you don’t fuck it up.”


“What do you mean almost a father? Why would I fuck things up?” He bridles.


“Well, Daph, you’re virtually her stepdad, right? I don’t know how you’ll fuck it up, just saying don’t do that.” 


“Daphne and I don’t have a close relationship.” He sighs. “She’s very jealous of the time David and I spend together. We kind of have the same relationship that you and Ben have, each free to do whatever we want.” I laugh and shake my head. “What?”


“We spend virtually every minute together. As well as my partner in life, he’s involved in the business.”


“As what?!” He scoffs. “How did you two meet anyway?”


“Photoshoot, he was the model.” I drawl; he doesn’t need to know that we met outside a bar when in my drunken state I tried to pick a fight with him. Thankfully he easily blocked my punch, tossed me into his car, and took me back to his place. He sobered me up and we’ve been true besties ever since. “Sorry, what?”


“I asked what photoshoot? You go down memory lane then?” Has he always sounded this bitter? “Maybe I’ve seen it.”


“Yeah; it was one of the first ones I worked on in my old job.” 


He dumps his bottle. “Let’s go to Woody’s, get you out of work mode, yeah?”


“Woody’s?”


“Yeah, gotta start our night!” He grabs his jacket. 


“Michael, I’m going home for dinner, you heard Jen. You can have a couple more if you want, but I’m going home from here.”


“Brian.” He huffs angrily. “You can miss one dinner for time with your best friend.”


“My best friend is going to be at the dinner.”


“Well why didn’t you say that?!” He declares. “Let me freshen up, should I change into something else or will this do?”


“I meant Ben.” He looks pinched and deflated. “We’ve got till six, then I have to go; want to miss the fuck awful traffic.” He yanks out another beer. “Let me book you a cab, Debs will kill me if anything happens to you.”


“You’ve hurt me again!” He spits. “By giving Ted the money to buy Ma out. What the fuck were you thinking, saddling me with that thief?!”


“Who the fuck are you talking to?!” I snarl. “What I do with my money or anything else for that matter is none of your fucking business!” 


“Brian, what the fuck is going on with you?!” He exclaims. “You know what he did to Emmett! Why would you want that for me?!”


“How is that the same?!” I take a couple of deep breaths. “You virtually gave him the money he took from Emmett!” 


“Ma told him too!” He protests. “Why aren’t you busting her balls?!”


“She told him that he had the money, you told him how to get it.” I level my gaze. “And I did bust her balls. She apologised, have you?”


MICHAEL


“Was that when you went around for dinner and ended up decorating her kitchen?” I slam down my beer. “Why did you go around to see her when I wasn’t there?!”


“Because she asked me. She wanted to make peace. You just want to see me as I was then, I’m different now.”


“You’re still the same selfish asshole!” I yell. He picks up his case, so I block his exit. “Brian, it’s the beer talking. You know what I’m like when I get some in me. Come on, let's just sit down and go back to how we were.” 


He regards me for a few seconds. As the anger starts to fade, I know I’ve got him for now…seems I’ve got to be very careful around this new Brian if I want to have him forever!


BRIAN


As he smiles at my ‘surrender’ I know I’ve got him exactly where I want him!



End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if revewing. Thx

Dinner...Part 1 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 17 - DINNER…PART 1 


MICHAEL


Naturally I’m joining them for dinner. I’ve been trying to find out about Ben, but he’s being very tight lipped. “You’ve got to give me more than, ‘we met at a photoshoot, went for a drink and called each other back’.”


“What else is there to tell?” He shrugs. 


“Lots. I’ve got tons to tell you about David. Why so coy, something wrong with him? And why are we almost running to the car?”


“There’s nothing wrong with him. As for running, I want to get back to him. It’s been a while, you know what I mean? However, you need to stop in here first; as long as you’re quick it should be okay.” 


“Quick for what?” I frown, following him into the grocery store.


“The wine and beer.” He calls back, striding through the crowds. “Come on!”


TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Mercifully, him hefting his bag and the libations, God I missed Honeycutt, coupled with trying to keep pace, means silence. 


“Thank fuck!” He gasps when the lights flash on the Chevrolet Tahoe. “This is so you, give me the keys! You can direct me for now, I will take the address when I get there, just in case I want to take a cab over on my off days. I’ve got loads of holidays stored up now!” 


“No, you’ve been drinking.” I put my case in the back, he frowns when his side doesn’t open. “You’re not putting them on his seats either; keep them on your lap or between your knees.”


“His seats…oh no!” He gasps, then glass shatters. “Aww shit!” I scowl at the red wine splashed on the door and spreading around his feet, whilst he checks his jeans. “Oh great, didn’t get any on me!” 


“Why are you standing in it?!” I snap. “Go hose your shoes!”


“You're not serious? It's a few drops of wine!”


“Hose!” I point the way.


“Fine!” He snaps. He’s not long, frowning at the cloth in my hand. “What’s this for?” I nod at the door. “Oh for…what happened to my rucksack?!” I stare at the mess it’s now in. “Why didn’t you pick it up?!”


“It’s a few drops of wine.” I parrot, struggling to remain straight faced. “That will stain.” 


MICHAEL


I don't take two steps before he’s on the phone to his ‘babe’ apologising for running late, so I’m going to make us even later! After ten minutes, I look over my shoulder and he’s pulling away! 


“STOP, YOU ASSHOLE!” I holler. Luckily, the barrier is down. “What the fuck?!” I demand. Getting alongside, I go pale when it’s not him. “I am so sorry!” I babble at the guy, who tells me where to stick my apology. I storm over, flame faced, to a laughing Brian. “That’s not frigging funny! Did you see the size of him?!” 


“No, I was speaking to Ben. Can we go now?” 


“Yes.” I mutter, going to the passenger side. “Helps if the door is unlocked.”


“You need to replace the wine.” He’s still on the hood. “Get two, in case you get the dropsies again.”


By the time I get in, he’s on the phone; he doesn’t hang up until we pull up outside a large house…twenty minutes later. I’m also pissed that I couldn't see out of the blacked out windows! 


“Home sweet home!” He sighs. Just as he pulls to a stop, the front door opens. The smile on his face when Ben strides towards us is like a knife to my soul, that used to be for me - but it will be again.

 

“Hey, beautiful.” Ben simpers, opening his door. “You look bushed, will set you a bath after I unkink that knot. Hello, Michael.”


“Hi, Ben.” I pull out my phone. 


“Can you make your call in the house? We need to be alone.” Ben gets in the back. 


BEN


His face turns in on itself as Brian loosens his tie and joins me. “As I said before, it’s been a while, so…”


I hold him back when he almost confronts him for slamming the door so hard that the window rattles. “Short term pain, long time gain.” 


He nods then scowls when Michael sits on the gable wall. “Why the hell doesn’t he just go the fuck in?” 


“Maybe he wants you to carry him over the threshold?”


“That fucktard! Get Jen on moving us as soon as possible!”  


“Why? What did he say?”


“He’s booking a cab!” 


“And…”


“For tomorrow evening from his place to here! He must have been setting his frigging location!”


“Jesus Christ!” Although he was livid at the time, him losing our bet and having to learn to lip read has proved invaluable! “We’re going to be at Joan’s tomorrow anyway; does he know about that?”


His shit-stirring smirk wreaths his face. “He will. C’mon, I need cake!”


“We have company.” I grin as I open the door. “Take your time, beautiful, I’ll entertain him.” I enjoy his glaring at the flowers. “Since you’ve finished your call, let’s go inside.”


MICHAEL


“I’ll wait for Brian.” I paste on a smile.


“He’ll be a while, he’s cleaning up.” Ben nods at the door. Fuming, I step in. “You can hang your coat in the cloakroom there, the kitchen is down the hall to the left. If you need the bathroom, it’s next to the cloakroom.” He remains by the front door, then takes his time answering his phone. “This is Ben Bruckner, oh hey, how are you doing? Give me a second.” 


“He’s cleaning up!” I mimic, once the door is closed. “Bet you're sloppy and have to be told to cover your teeth!” After putting away my jacket and washing my hands, the massive kitchen has me gawking. “I can’t wait to cook here!” I check the cupboards whilst drinking the beer I took from his office. I decide against putting the bottle in the trash since Ben seems the kind of nitpicking asshole that would recycle! 


“Now for the wine.” I check it out, whistling at the percentage then swiftly having two glasses. If I drink enough, then that cab will be taking me home tomorrow evening instead! 


Another ten minutes pass and still no sign of Brian. Just as I am about to pour more, Ben enters. “Aren’t you joining us?” 


“I got the impression we were eating in here.” I state. 


“You were wrong, again. Lounge is opposite. Beautiful, I found him, he was in the kitchen!”


“Oh, okay, be down in a second!” 


“Can you give us a minute, Ben? I really need to speak to him about something private.”


“Sure, see you in there.”


I feel elated and deflated. I had hoped that he would say no, so that I could point out his insecurities and jealousy. I sigh at the sight of Brian’s bare feet and him tucking his shirt in. “Why were you in there?” He frowns. “That where you left the wine?” 


“Yes. I wanted to talk to you about that. You were right, as usual, about the beer. It was strong, and now with the wine, I really need to eat something.” 


“I see. Let’s go.” He wheels the hostess trolley towards the lounge, I pause to look up the stairs. “Now what?”


“Was wondering which room.” I reply as I enter.


“Which room what?” Ben gets in my face, but of course Brian has his back to that.


“Okay if I sit?” I ask. When he steps aside, I gape at the TV, it takes up an entire wall. “Wow, Captain Astro will look awesome on that!” 


“No it wouldn't.” Ben scoffs, I glare at him. “We do not watch comic book crap as a family; it’s bad enough that I have to go through Marlon Brandon and James Dean with them mouthing along!”


“Fuck off!” Brian declares, and I couldn't agree more. “There’s nothing wrong with a classic…”


“Thanks, bestie! Ben, Captain Astro is a classic, not comic book crap. The whole animation genre is…”


“I meant the movies. I haven’t suffered a cartoon since I left the Pitts. I don’t think Hunter’s ever watched one, it’s…”


“Something I can introduce him to - gives us a bonding opportunity. What a great idea, Brian!” I grin. “Where’s the remote? Need to check what subs you have. You’ll have to add mine.” 


“Dad, what do you think of this?!” Hunter appears from nowhere, with a forkful of something, the way Brian eats it makes my cock twitch. 


“Really good! What fish is that and is there a dip? Have you tried it, Babe?”


”Yep; it's salt cod and there’s an aioli.” Ben replies, smirking - why? “I’ll tell Evan that you will make it, oh Aioli Master!” 


“You’d better!” Brian orders, scowling as Ben and Hunter leave laughing.


BRIAN


Ah, so he’s the company. Slowly, Michael turns to me. “Evan, as in Evan Steele, is here?”


“Guess so.” I sip the wine. “This is really good. Must get Babe to order a case of it tomorrow.” 


“What is he doing here?” 


“No idea. So what room were you talking about and why?”


“You didn’t invite him?” His arms cross and those nasty cogs start to turn. “Bit boundary crossing for your babe to invite your ex-whatever to dinner?”


“Who said Ben invited him?” 


He raises an eyebrow. “Who else would? They were rather cosy at the drinks.”


“I did.” He whips around to face Debs, who mirrors his folded arms. “What’s this cosy bullshit?”


“Ma!” He gapes. “Why…”


“Because I was invited by Jen. He was with me at the time, overheard and tagged along. And before you try to get into why he was with me, it’s because he was!” 


“Have this fight at your place!” I declare, because if this continues I will join in and now’s not the time. “This is my home, now let’s go help my sons with dinner.”


“Sorry, kiddo.” Debs kisses my cheek. “But you know how he used to get.” 


“I was defending Brian, and I always will!” 


“Defending me from…oh fuck!” I gripe as the sudden back spasm almost doubles me over.


“Kiddo!” Debs grabs my arm. 


“Ma, let go! You’re making it worse!” Michael’s attempts to push her away, sends me to my knees.


“Ben!” I holler, he’s in immediately. “Back’s gone.” I gasp.


“Michael, move!” He orders, which he doesn't. “Michael, shift or fly!”


“For Chrissake!” Debs yanks him away. “Stay or you’re out the window!”


MICHAEL


Ma’s shouting brings in everyone! What the hell is Emmett doing here?! It’s bad enough with his fuck-body, he’s no buddy to him, he was just a fleshlight! 


“Michael, get outta the way, we need that chair!” Ma orders.


“I can help!”


“No!” Emmett snaps. Slowly, he and Ben get Brian off his knees. “Get the heat pad!”


“Where’s that?!” I demand.


“I’ll get it!” Ma spits as she rushes out; she's back in seconds cracking the pad. “Remind me to get a couple for my place!” 


“Hi all, sorry I’m…what the fuck happened?!” Jennifer cries from the doorway. “It’s the driving isn’t it?”


“Yeah, think so.” He grits out.


“I knew that would happen; one minute!” She dashes back out.


“Don’t fucking touch me!” He yells as I try to lift his legs. 


“What the hell were you thinking?!” Ben snarls. “Brian, you need to lean forward a bit; Debs, you slide it down. Ems can tell you where.”


“Brian, hold my hand tight, okay?” Emmett pats his hand like a dog. “Lean and grip on three. Ready? One two, three…oooh mamama!” Their hands go white, it takes ages for her to put it in place. “Now back. Is that right?”


“Perfect.” He mutters. Slowly, his eyes open. “Thanks, guys. Where’s Gus?”


“He’s getting the board.” Hunter replies. “Do you need your pills?”


“No, I'll be fine.”


“What’s taking him so long?” I demand, striding to the foot of the stairs. “Gus, hurry up!” He starts to come down with it, I meet him halfway. “Give me that!” I rush back in, ignoring his yelling. “Justin? Where did you come from, and what are you doing?!” I exclaim.


“Manipulating the muscle.” He murmurs. “How’s that feeling?”


“Oh, you’ve got to teach him how to do that.” Brian moans. “Honeycutt, you idiot!” He has tears brimming, for god sake what a fucking fakey flake. “Can you move your fingers, is that the one you wank with?”


“Yes, and no, thank goodness, would be out of commission for a while.” He giggles, wiggling his fingers. “Michael, why do you have a body board?”


“For his body, obviously. Now, everyone step aside so I can place it.”


“Place it where?” Ma smirks. “That’s for surfing, not back bracing.” 


“Why did you give me this?!” I glower at Gus.


“I didn’t. You snatched it off me in a lame ass attempt to play Doogie Howser!”


“Gus! That was fucking rude!” I snarl, he’s red faced and glaring. “Apologise now.”


“Gus...” Bian growls, I smirk at him.


“But Pop, I tried to tell him.”


“I know. Michael, apologise.”


“What? Why?!”


“You shouted, snatched and swore. Not at my sons. Now spit it out!”


JUSTIN


The pulse in his neck is hammering. “He’s working himself up to an aneurysm, get it done!” I put on the pressure sleeve. I catch the lift of Debs’s hand, sadly he grinds it out before it can connect. “Gus, now you.” 


“I apologise for the phrasing, not the sentiment.”


“Good enough.” I declare. “Now, can we have the room? I need to get this pressure down.”


“But I need to stay to see how things are done for Brian should it happen when I’m here!”


“Move or fly!” Ben squares up, and with Debs hand raising, he has no choice but to leave.


“Don’t be long, Justin! Before I go tomorrow, you need to tell me where to get one of those sleevey things!” 


I’m relieved as his pressure quickly drops. After I take it off, I hand him a glass of water. “Why is he leaving tomorrow?”


“Mr Velcro’s been winding me up since he got to the office!” Slowly he stands and tests his back. “Magic hands.” He wiggles his tongue. “Thanks for Gus.”


“He’s my dude too. So tomorrow?” By the time he’s finished, I’m boiling with rage, I reach for my phone. “Room for two more?”


“For dinner? Sure, who?”


“Daph, who'll bring David!” 




Salt Cod Fritters and aioli

 

End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thanks

Dinner...Part 2 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 18 - DINNER…PART 2


DINING ROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


Justin has joined us. I watch for Brian, he doesn’t follow.


“Where are you going?” Jennifer’s blocking the doorway.


“To find Brian.” I reply smoothly. “See if he’s okay. He might have fallen. Excuse me.”


“Ben’s job. If there’s anything amiss, he’ll call Justin.” She holds her position. “Now what can I get you to drink?”


“He’ll have a white wine, please, Jen.” Ma declares, patting the seat next to her. I am tempted to ignore her then see where she's sitting; this can only mean one thing! I sit down, managing to hide my delight that Hunter and Gus are opposite me - he’s for sure going to sit this end, it will be like old times, us Kings at the head of the table! “Have you returned Kip’s calls? Said he’s been trying you all afternoon.” She checks the wine out. “And then there’s Ted, you need to speak to him. Have we had this before?”


“No I don’t…”


“Yes, we have - it was when…you were away with David. So Kip and Ted…”


“Kip I will call later…actually, he’s sent some texts.” I go cold as I read.


“Michael, are you okay?” Ma asks, shaking my shoulder. 


“He’s selling his side of the business; thinks it’s time he moved on. What am I…” As I hear Brian, a thunderbolt idea hits me. I need to play this perfectly. “...going to do?” I take a gulp of the wine and start to plan, Ma’s cat scratching my arm hurts. “Ouch for f-f flip sake, I’ve just had a shock, give me a second!” Pasting on a smile, I turn to her. “Thank you, Jennifer.” 


“You’re welcome, Michael.” She returns.


“Brian, are you okay?” Justin heads back to the lounge, Ma’s sudden grip on my thigh keeps me seated. When he comes back, he’s smiling. “He’s fine, his rate spiked a little, Ben's calming him down the only way he knows how.”


I push that image out of my mind. “How do you know that about his rate? And that sleeve thing from earlier, where do I get it from?” I get funny looks. “What? I said that I wanted one, so where do I get it?”


“You have neither the brains to play doctor nor the figure to be a nurse!” Emmett scoffs as he comes in with a platter. 


I look at what he’s put down and smirk. “Been a while since you entertained anyone eh? Well little tip, you serve dessert last.”


“Just because it looks like a muffin, it doesn’t make it such.” Uncle Vic drawls as he comes in with salad. “So what did Kip have to say?”


“Why are you here?” I frown, it deepens as George enters. “George, how nice to see you too. How do you know about Kip, Uncle Vic?”


“I was there when he called, again several times.” He replies as he moves dishes around. “What did he have to say that made you hysterical?” 


“I wasn’t hysterical.” I rebuke him. “I just wasn’t expecting the news.”


“What news?” Brian asks as he finally joins us, it takes everything not to snark about the marks on his neck. “Ben’s gone to pick up a couple of things, he won’t be long.”


Now it is my heart that is spiking as he saunters towards the head of the table. George and Uncle Vic fussing with the dishes delay him. “Guys, Brian’s been in a lot of pain, let him sit down.” 


“I’m fine, it’s good for me to stand for a bit. So the news?”


“Yeah, well it’s good and bad, a vicar’s egg?” 


“Vicar’s egg?” Uncle Vic frowns.


“He mean’s curate, good in parts, why?” Brian drawls. “Oh, actually, Uncle Vic, are you and George officially official?”


“Yes they are!” Ma laughs. “Think that dinner did it.”


“How many times did you ask Grandma Debs?” Hunter sniggers. Everyone is smiling, once again I feel out of the loop and joke.


“Forty seven, no eight, forty eight.” Ma grins, she’s joined by everyone else, she notices my glare. “You were doing whatever. I’ve got a lot of catching and making up to do.”


“Actually, where were you that day?” Brian’s still picking at the salad. “God this is good, what’s in it, Nellybutt?” They stare at each other for a few seconds. “How long has it been since I called you that?” 


“Eight years.” Ma chimes in. We all look at her. “He said it the morning of the dinner, in the diner. He’d just bought him the bacon sandwich, gave him Advil in sparkling water followed up with…”


“...fresh orange juice. Stood over me whilst I finished everything, then marched me to a cab to get that Nellybutt back to bed.” Emmett kisses Brian’s cheek. “Works every time.”


“We had a post hangover routine, didn't we, Brian?” I declare. He looks confused. “You remember, I’d tuck you up in bed…” He starts to smile. “...and then you cuddle me and tell tales about how you wanted to be a soccer player, or play NFL, your dream changed depending on the night.”


“Yeah he mentioned it.” I fume at Ben’s nonplussed expression; I’d seen him coming in and hoped to score a point. “Said it was to stop you talking about Captain Asshole; but sometimes he’d let you speak, your monotonous tone, which never deviated from the script, was a bit soothing. Unlike the cat screech that heralded your solo walk down memory lane.”


“Benjamin!” Jennifer exclaims. “He told us that in confidence.”


“Oops, my bad.” He smirks. “Got them, we can eat now.” 


“Oh great, won’t be a second!” Justin hurries out. Happily, Ben takes his seat, oh yes, this means Brian is near me for sure!


Despite him embarrassing me, I smile at Ben, he instead smiles at Evan. “Great, I’m starved…so the curate’s egg is that Kip is selling his side of the business.” 


“Oh, would you go back, Debs?” Jennifer asks.


“No lesson learned; sticking with what I love and that’s serving the kinks and queens of Liberty Avenue.”


“You mean kings.” I snark, wounded by the lesson learned snipe.


“No, she said it right the first time.” Emmett laughs, they all do, again I feel left out. “And they‘re so happy you’re back!” He continues his crawl down her throat, at least he’s not crawling up her ass like he did with Brian. I felt so sorry for him with all that drippiness. “So what are you going to do, Michael, would you split it with Ted?”


“No, I’d feel better if there was someone else in the business. Someone I can trust and who also trusts Ted…” I glance at Brian who’s checking his phone. “…so what do you say?”


“I’ve said no before and I’m saying it again!” Uncle Vic’s snipe gets Brian’s attention. “I’m happy where my mortgage and 401K are - thank you.”


“I didn’t mean you, Uncle Vic. I would ask David, but he’s not interested in that kind of thing. Now they’re trusting him again, I was asking…”


“As I’ve said before, Michael, I’m not disinterested.” I almost choke on my wine. “I’ve not researched it enough to form an opinion. Hi everyone. How was your time together, Michael?”


“Very good. What are you doing here?” I grip my glass to hide my trembling, with frustration, hands. 


“Justin called us.” He replies, taking off his jacket. “Where shall I sit?” My heart sinks as Brian points to ‘his’ seat. “Are you sure?”


“Of course, you’re my guest. I can sit next to Evan.” 


“Actually, I’m sitting next to him.” I want to scream as Daphne does exactly that. She makes a show of taking off her jacket to reveal that vintage tee - I am determined to get one no matter how long it takes!


“Daph, how lovely to see you!” Ma blows her a kiss, Evan kisses her cheek whilst cutting his eye at me. I almost bite through my tongue keeping it still.


“So why did Justin call you two?” Jennifer asks, my thoughts exactly!


“He wanted Dad’s opinion on Brian’s back.” Daphne loads up her plate. “And I was looking for Michael.” 


“Why?” I frown.


“Ever since Debs gave me this wonderful tee, I’ve been looking at the comic and collectibles market. This could be a win-win.”


“What could be?” I paste on yet another smile to hide my irritation when David squeezes my hand.


“You…” Her phone beeps, she frowns briefly before putting it away. “...you’ve always wanted a Cameron in the business, and I’d get to learn from the master.”


“A Master? Him? Add ‘baiter’ to that and you’ve got it right!” Evan scoffs, people start to snigger.


“I don’t get what’s funny?” Hunter frowns.


“Tell you later.” Gus chuckles.


“No you won’t.” Brian declares, my humiliation eases. “It will sound better coming from Nellybutt.”


“Ooh birding and bee-ing talk, excellent!” Emmett grins. “Benjamin, will you join me?”


“Indeed I shall.”


“Guys, behave.” David orders, his smile dropping at my glare. “So what do you say, Michael? I think that Daphne has presented you with the perfect solution.”


“Yes, maybe. Let’s talk about this tomorrow…”


“Great, I’ll be there at six.” Daphne states. “Justin, come on, we're eating now!” 


He arrives quickly. “Thanks Daph, and you too David, for bringing everything. So, Brian, stick to the salad. You can eat the cheesecake after I give you a long and deep shiatsu massage.”


DAPHNE


Michael’s face is a multitude of emotions; as Brian sits between Uncle Vic and Justin, he looks like he wants to scream and shout. 


“Be where at six, Daphne?” He’s almost making a pretzel with his fork.


“The store, so you can show me what’s what.” I reply sweetly.


“I need to speak to Kip first.” He growls.


“But I’m the other partner in the store now.” He looks like he wants to vomit. “So you, me, oh and Ted, will meet tomorrow at six, yes?”


All he does is nod.

 

Prosciutto Olive and Machengo Muffins

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.

Dinner...Part 3 by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 19 - DINNER…PART 3


EVAN


“Have you been to the store Daph?” I glance at Novotny. “Also what about Kip, where’s he going?”


“You have, haven’t you?” David frowns. “What does it matter where Kip is going?”


“Once and that was almost a year ago.” Daph tops up my glass. “That’s a  good point about Kip. Jen, do you know someone that can draw up an NCC and an NDA real quick?”


“NCC? NDA?” Novotny fumes as Vic drains the wine into Emmett’s glass. “Why would you need those?”


“For your…” Emmett begins. “...do you know what they are?”


“Of course.” He sneers.


“Do tell.” Ben drawls draping his arm along Brian’s chair. “You okay, want that massage now?”


“Am good.” He replies. “Stop worrying.”


“What do you need an attorney for and why aren’t I good enough?” Mel’s voice startles us all, except Debs. 


“When did you call her Debs?!” Ben laughs.


“As soon as Daph said she’d bought Kip out.” She brings up her phone showing Mel onscreen. “We’re at Kiddo’s. Do you think you can get here, Ems can you text her...”


“Grandma Debs…” Gus chuckles. “…she knows where Dad lives!”


“Of course she does!” Debs blushes. “So can you?”


“Be there in less than ten.” 


“Debs, that was very considerate.” I smile. “So back to you, what are they?”


“Thanks Ma.” He glares down his nose at me. “Non competition clause and non disclosure agreement.”


“Didn’t you have them with Kip?” Brian frowns, it deepens when he shakes his head smirking. “It would’ve been good business sense. Especially as you didn’t know about him going.”


“He wouldn't fuck me over.” Novotny declares.


“In business it’s every man for him or herself.” Brian looks very unimpressed.


“We’re friends as well as business…” He begins.


“You were Brian’s best friend.” Ben sneers. “Yet you hurt him so much he left to get away from your pain.” Novotny’s mug reddens. “Besides, she’s not doing that for you…”


“Who else, if not me?” He blusters.


“Daphne and Ted. Kip and I were used to you…” Debs states. “...they’re not.”


“What does that mean?!” He spits.


“Our contract for example, I never saw it. I went on trust…”


“Daphne, would you like me to send you the contract?!” 


“Amongst other things, yeah please. That can…“


“I’ll do it right now!” 


I’m not the only one who thinks he’s going to break his screen with that sharp swiping!


JUSTIN


“Pop, can me and Hunter go upstairs to call Grandma Joan and sort out tomorrow?”


“Yeah.” Brian smiles. “Take some food up and bring the plates down after.” I melt at his expression as he watches them plate up, his throat clear makes Hunter put on more veg with a sigh. “Gus, make sure he eats it.”


“I will and don’t worry Ems, I’ll explain the baiter comment.” 


Michael stops scrolling. “I’d rather you didn’t do that Gus.”


Gus dead-eyes him. “I’d rather have known my Pop from the day I was born.” I glance at Brian; how proud he looks. Gus turns to him. “Do I have to?”


“No. You’re expressing your feelings.” Michael is incredulous. “What? Did you think I was the only Kinney you hurt?” 


“You said we were starting afresh, how is he doing that? Besides, I didn't think you two had gotten that close.”


“I did and we have.” Brian reaches for his wine, eyes flinty. Of course, Michael in his relief from responsibility goes back to scrolling. “Give mom my love and get the menu so we can sort wine please.”


“She said turkey wings would be cooked.” Hunter grins.


“I’ll ask for oxtail too Pop, okay?” Whilst Gus is basking in his smile, I’m making a metal note to get the recipe off of Joan just to see that smile again!


“Gus, before you go up, there’s a few bottles of Mr Fitzpatrick’s cordials in the garage. Try the sarsaparilla or sour cherry and red grape. Grandma Joan asked me to drop them off for you two.”


“Thanks Justin, see some of you later!” 


“I’m surprised that you and Joan have struck up that kind of friendship Justin.” 


“Well we have Michael.” I smile tightly.


“I’ll get them honey.” Debs smiles. “I need to speak to Joan too.” She stops by the kitchen door. “Michael, those were shitty things to say!”


“How was that shitty? I was just expressing an opinion.” My anger rises as Ben taps Brian’s thigh. I am glad for what is to befall Michael, he has no idea how quietly and carefully he’s being positioned. “As for the contract…”


“You don’t have one for us to see?” Evan drawls.


“It’s in my business folder on my email, which I don’t have on here. With all due respect, Evan, I don’t like the way you’re trying to make me seem shady.”


“You don’t treat yourself respectfully so that means nothing!” Evan seethes. “Let’s end this argument, just log on to a computer and show it to her. Does anyone know what kind of agreement Debs signed with Ted?”


“A superseding one.” Mel joins us with a smile “I drew it up with Ems there to witness it. This means that whilst Ted has shares that Debs did, he is not bound by the same conditions. Those will have to be negotiated between the three of you, so it’s only right that he knows what they were in the unlikely event he’d want the same.”


“Thanks Mel, so you’ll have no problem logging onto a laptop and sending them on will you Michael?” I hold the chair out for her. “Don't suppose there’s one we can borrow?”


“Yes, mine.” Mel states. “Let me just clear my cache, wouldn't want him reading something he shouldn't.” Her tone is as cold as my feelings for him. “One laptop.”


With a huff he takes it, there’s silence as he logs on; whilst most watch him, Ems, Mom, Ben and I watch Brian. His jaw is rapidly ticking, I know that he is trying not to explode over the snail’s pace that Michael is going; time for me to get up close in an almost professional way.


“Brian, let’s go upstairs.” I order, his ticking stops and Ben stands up.


“Upstairs, what for?” Michael demands.


“David, should the massage happen now?”


“I was thinking exactly that. Do you need assistance getting him up or…”


“I’ll help.” Michael rolls up his sleeves. “Just tell me what I need to do.”


“Find that contract.” Vic jabs his shoulder. 


“She can wait. Brian’s in…”


“Our more than capable hands.” David scowls. “You two ready?”


“I can’t manage the stairs, can we just do it in there?”


“Ben, can you get some things on the floor please?” I ask.


“Sure, Ems, Evan come with. Many hands make light work. We’ll call you when we're done..”


I have to say that the gnarl-pout his face has twisted into is an improvement!


TEN MINUTES LATER


“Okay bring in the patient!” Ems hollers. “You get him down, I’ll stand guard by the door.”


“Actually, Ben, can you and Justin swap?” David calls. “Height difference won't be so jarring.” 


Five minutes later, I take off his shirt. “Why?” He murmurs against my neck.


“Because being semi naked is the most efficacious way.” I breathe against his mouth, he licks my lip, I bite back my groan. 


“Pants must go too - right?” He growls, guiding my hand.


“Oh absolutely.” I slide them down his legs, then smile “Cashmere boxers.” I stroke the waistband. “Ben!”


“Yep!” 


“Please take these up and bring down the robe.” I hand him the clothes and nod at the dining room, Brian rolls his lips in and Ben smirks. “Oh and the warmed towels.”


“No problem at all.” He puts them over his shoulder. “Can someone get some water for Brian please?”


“There you go Daphne, one contract. Now, I really need the bathroom.” 


MICHAEL


“Please…” Emmett gets in the way - again. “...go through the kitchen, they need privacy.” 


As I wash my hands, having only just made it, I try to process these last few hours. “We really need time by…”


“Michael!” David knocks, gritting my teeth, I open the door. “We’ve got Ted on the phone.” 


“What for? You know…” I sigh at the brief sight of a virtually naked Brian before the door is closed. “…I’m sure I’ve got a store-related meeting around six already.”


“Well rearrange that...” He’s by the kitchen door. “… this needs to be settled first. Can you check now please?” 


“I need my…” 


“Phone? Here you go.” Evan appears from behind him and tosses it at me, it clips the spindle then a stair, which is marble. “Crap, is it okay?”


“What were you thinking?!” I spit as I pick it up. “No it’s not!” I despair at the shattered screen. “You’ll replace that!” 


“I thought you would catch it, sorry. It was backed up right?”


“Of course it is!”


“Great while you guys talk contracts, I’ll get you a replacement.” 


As I follow them my mind drifts back to Brian, yes I saw he’d filled out but that much! He was slim and rangy, before, now he’s muscular, his skin looks like polished marble, and his happy trail! The way the hairs twinkled in the…


“Michael, are you alright?!” David’s carping is a dash of cold water. 

 

“Just thinking about my phone. The things that were on there…”


“Will still be there, as you said it was backed up. Now let's start.” As I retake my seat, he sits next to Daphne with Ben now next to the fleshlight. “Right Ted, he’s here; are you ready?”


“Thank you David. Michael, we think it’s only fair that we each have 30%...”


“Wait, why am I reducing my shareholding?” I glare.


“So that nobody can take advantage of their position.” Ted snarks. “By each having 30% we're on an even keel. Of the last 10%, 7% will be liquidated into stock and the remaining 3% goes to…” 


“...someone impartial who would look at things with a business mind, not an overly emotional eye.” Daphne simpers. “Can’t think of anyone offhand right now, but we three have to be in agreement with the choice.”


“That makes sense.” Uncle Vic chimes in. “Given the history it keeps the business safe.”


“I suppose so. So shall we clear and…”


“I think I might have an idea.” Mel butts in. “There are brokers that do that. So no business decisions to be made before…”


“What was that?” I turn to the lounge. “Brian, you okay?” When he doesn’t answer, I look at Ben, who’s peering over the fleshlight’s shoulder. “Should I check for you Ben, since you’re occupied with Evan?”


“Babe, you okay?”


“Never been better.” He replies, but he still sounds pained.


“Besides I was making sure you got a good deal.” He’s almost sitting in the fleshlight’s lap!


“Deal?”


“On your phone.” He nods at the shattered remains. “That’s a 9 isn’t it?”


“It was,” I hide my smile. “I was going to get an iPhone 12, so you need to buy that Evan.”


“Hold on, that’s not fair.” Uncle Vic growls. 


“He’s got to replace what he broke.” I assert.


“Which is a Samsung 9.” Emmett snipes. “Mel, what’s your legal opinion?”


Before she can answer, there’s another groan. “Brian are you sure you’re alright? You sound like you’re in pain. Is he doing this massage thing correctly?”


“Michael…” David sighs. “...Justin’s an expert, he knows what he’s doing.”


“I’ve been reading up on shiatsu, you have to be very careful…”


BRIAN


“Reading? Something that’s not a comic, I’m in shock!” Justin’s chuckles trickle down my spine, followed by his deft fingers. “This has to be the snowboarding one…” I nod. “...Hunter was very impressed by your efforts.”


“Until I almost crashed into the tree and the board hit Ben in the face.”


“Turn over.” 


“Why?”


He pings my boxers. “Doctor’s orders.”


“You’re not a doctor.” I grin up at him then jerk at the pinch to my nipple. His mouth is warm as he sucks, nips and licks them both to hardness. “I can’t wait to feel your mouth…”


“I can’t wait to taste you.” He whispers.


“I think I should ask Brian…” Michael declares. “...how long do you think you’re going to be Justin?


“That depends on him.” He replies. “What’s the quickest you’ve ever cum?” He murmurs. 


I push down my boxers. “You’re about to find out.” Seconds later, I’m enveloped in heat, I close my eyes, they fly open when his teeth scrape my vein on the upstroke, tongue stabbing into my slit makes my legs shake. “No gag reflex.” I mutter as I slide deeper down his throat. I manage to stifle my yelps as his fingers plunder my ass. 


JUSTIN


I’m grinding myself raw, which hurts so good! He spasms around my fingers and twitches in my throat as I push deeper, suck harder and faster. His fingers are twisting and pulling my hair, he widens his legs. I look up, his enraptured expression makes me grind faster. 


GEORGE


I glance again at the TV screen, reflecting the back of Justin’s head and Brian’s stomach and chest. I chuckle at the sharp tug to his hair.


“Why is that funny George?” Michael demands. “I’m virtually being accused of fraud and…”


“Michael, you are taking advantage of a situation because it’s Evan. Whatever history is there, is exactly that, history. Please for the sake of their working relationship…”


“Their working relationship?” He looks confused.


“I was going to call him tomorrow to let him know about it. Evan, you’ve got the job. You and David…”


“Why am I only just hearing about any of this?!” Michael thunders at a bewildered looking David.


“Although David does some consultancy work at the hospice, he’s not privy to my hiring practices!” I am at the end of my tether with this creature-feature; whose red face is a counterpoint to the pale with fury one of David’s. 


“We need to talk.” David collects Michael’s phone. “Daph, could you stay in the annexe or…”


“She’ll stay with me.” Ems kisses his cheek. “Call us if you need us okay?”


“Thank you.” He breathes deeply, then extends his hand. “Congratulations Evan, I think you’ll be great there. Also forget about replacing it, he can claim on the insurance.” He stares Michael down. “Say goodnight.” He mutters something or other and follows David out.


BRIAN


Michael had perfect timing for once. His going off coincided with us getting off, him seconds after - he was a little loud. “Hey…” I tap him, he lifts his head. “...that was fantastic.” He licks his lips and smiles. “Want to shower or nap?”


“After that, I think a nap!” Ems chuckles still with his back to us. “Want me to get a quilt?”


“Yeah.” I yawn, tugging him up, he rests against my shoulder. “How does he know what you sound like?”


“Whilst you were away, I watched a lot of porn.”


“Morning, noon and night.” Ems deadpans, covering us up. “Sleep, me and Ben will clear the house.”


“Thanks Nellybutt.” I smirk.


“Anytime Little Lamb.” He whispers, kissing our foreheads then closing the door behind him.



Mr Fitzpatricks Cordials

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks

Maybe a Hook Up and Not Hanging Up by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 20 - MAYBE A HOOK UP AND NOT HANGING UP


MICHAEL AND DAVID’S LOUNGE - AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL


“I was so embarrassed!” David snaps. “I’m getting more fucked off with your behaviour!”


“David, fucked off is so harsh, why can’t you see how hard this…”


“You make things hard for everybody!” He pours a large glass of red. “If you weren’t sneering at or trying to shaft Evan, you were borderline duplicitous with Ted and Daphne, longing to play Felix Nightingale with Brian, or, even worse, dismissing the feelings of Gus!”


“What about my feelings?! Brian says one thing, but the minute Gus wants to play victim, he backs him up! It should’ve been me he…”


“No he shouldn't! As they keep saying, you hurt them!” His gaze is cold. “I didn’t want to believe it, but it’s the only plausible explanation for how you’re being. You want to split up, don’t you?”


Yes, yes I fucking do! I got with you to spite Emmett, no way does he deserve this kind of life after having Brian be his sudden protector is what I want to say; instead I play panicked. 


“No, of course not! I love you and did the minute I saw you, why would you think that?!”


“You did?” He twirls his glass. “Why?”


“What do you mean why?” 


“Why did you instantly fall in love with me…” I’m aggrieved as he finishes the wine that I bought and never had any of! “…but take almost eleven months to say it.” 


“I wasn’t sure you felt the same.” He scowls as I reach for him. “Why are you being so distant?”


“You weren’t sure I felt the same? That’s funny, since I said it two months before you. We were going for a birthday dinner for Debs. You were late because of some last minute bidding you and Kip were doing…” 


I remember that night vividly. I had booked Alla Famiglia, but they wanted his choice of the French place. I closed early so that I could play sick at the last minute. However, I bumped into a vaguely familiar guy, who said that I was way too cute to be sad. When he suggested we go to the baths, I saw it as a fitting reward for me having to sit through that dinner. I could feel his mouth on my…


“…how can you have an erection now?!”


It dies immediately, and not just because of his shrieking. I often feel like I’m on a dissecting table because of his cold and clinical approach! “I was recalling how we were that night…” He flushes. “…remember how great the love making…”


“That must have been with someone else, because you were ill and made Debs take you home.” He snaps, reaching for another bottle. “Do I get to hear the other lie?”


“I’ve not lied!” I fume. “Now where are you going? I thought you wanted to talk.”


“To get a larger glass; you keep thinking!” He snaps.


BRIAN’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


SNUG


DEBS


It’s just me, Jen, Ben and Ems now. Everyone else is on their way to George’s to talk contracts and new jobs - Blake is going to bring Ted there. 


“We’ve washed up.” Gus smiles. “Please, can we finish the movie then go to bed?”


“What are you watching?” Ems waves a bottle of red, we all nod. “And how long is it?”. 


“Fire, an Indian lesbian movie - caused riots when it was screened in 1997. Just under 2 hours, we're half way…what? We’ve watched I Like You, I Like You Very Much first, so now it’s time for mom to be represented.” We stare at him. “Well can we?”


“Sure, brush your teeth first.” Ben chuckles, we blow the kisses back as he gently closes the door. “It’s the way it made perfect sense to him!”


“I know!” Jen smiles. “Was Brian like that?”


“So much.” I sigh, then clap my knees. “Okay, I’m feeling sleepy and weepy, time to...”


“You’re going Debs?” Brian enters with a tray and two mugs. “Can someone put chocolate liqueur in these, please?”


I pour generously. “Yes, kiddo, you two sleep well. Now can I be cheeky and ask if Blake can drop me home?”


“He’d be happy to.” He busses my cheek. “What, hold on, mom said…” He mutters to himself then seemingly happy with whatever, nods. “Around seven, Kiki said you weren’t working until late on Friday, so that should give you enough time to have a bath and get ready for your shift. I’ll call him, night all!” 


“Why am I leaving at seven, it doesn’t…oh!” I feel a little choked. “I’ve not got anything to wear tonight.” 


“Daph is sending Blake with stuff.” Jen pats my chair. Smiling softly, I retake my seat. “He missed you so much. He came close to calling, but didn’t want to deal with Michael. I’m so happy he got his mom back.”


“Not as much as me.” I sniff, accepting her tissue. They’re silent as I compose myself. 


“You two know Evan well…” Ben looks between me and Ems. “...what would he be doing at the hospice?


“Most probably running the main office. He’s the dog’s bollocks in office management. Worked as Chief of Staff to the Presidents of Fortune 500 companies, makes a pretty penny and likes to give back.” I smile proudly. “Oh that reminds me, do any of you know what fleshlights are?” 


“Why?” Ems looks repulsed.


“Michael was mutt…just tell me.”


“And I bet he meant Evan?” Ems scoffs. “A fleshlight is another name for a rubber vag, it’s been appropriated by spiteful folks for spiteful means, i.e., Michael”


“If the other people he refers to are you or me…” Ben grimaces. “...I will break his teeth. With anaesthetic of course.”


“Not the full dose, he needs to feel.” I snap. “Besides I think he’s going to be needing a fleshlight of his own! He and David aren’t going to be having sex, angry or make up!”


“Now that I can't understand.” Ben looks thoughtful. “Angry sex, I mean, make up absolutely. As that is a reconnection, but what’s the point of having sex when angry? You get off, yeah, but emotionally, it would feel like you’re hurting the person.” 


“I agree to an extent!” Ems clinks his glass. “If you’re both angry at the same thing, but not at each other, then yes have it. I mean like Brian and Justin, they were angry at Michael, so they did that.”


“I have two questions: why did you want to and did you believe he was drunk?” Ben asks quietly. Ems goes bright red and shakes his head. “That’s the belief answered, now the why.”


“You and Brian?!” I gasp. “When?!”


He tops up his glass. “A couple of months before he left. I asked because…” He goes redder. “...we’re roughly the same size and I was curious. Why did he tell you?”


“I asked, because…” He dead-eyes him. “...I didn’t want comparison to be a thief of joy. He played like a drunk because he wants you to remain Honeycutt, not another butt.” He picks up his glass. “Shall we go?”


“Yes.”


Once the door closes we toast each other. “So what about us? Want to set up some Tinder profiles?” Jen teases. 


“Why the hell not?” I guffaw. 


“If you’re serious; you do mine, I do yours!”


I reach for my phone. “And we need to tell Joan, so she can make sure we follow through!” 


“Oh hell yeah we do!”


DAVID AND MICHAEL’S BEDROOM - AN HOUR LATER


DAVID


He’s in Debs’s room for the night. He said that I was tired and needed some rest after ‘my misunderstandings and over emotional pronouncements’. As he wasn’t he would get everything ready for when he and Daphne begin their partnership, and once he’d told her absolutely everything about Ted she’d want Kip back.


When I pointed out the lateness of the hour, he smirked like he had earlier, declaring that Kip wouldn't mind. That arrogance had me calling Daph to warn her. She said she was ready for him and I was to leave her to deal with it. 

 

Now Michael’s misfortune is twofold, because an unrestrained but prepared Daphne is truly terrifying - as her mother found out; then there’s what I will do to him. She hadn’t hung up yet when she was raging to herself that she was going to enjoy thwarting those plans as much as he did fucking Kip in her van. 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks.

Shots About to be Fired by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 21 - SHOTS ABOUT TO BE FIRED


MICHAEL


I can’t believe David didn’t come to my room last night - he should’ve tried to make up with me. I’m so distracted that I pour the scrambled eggs on the floor.


“This is his fault!” I seethe as I clean. “If he had woken me up with coffee instead of honking the horn as he left, I wouldn't be doing this!”


“Morning, Michael!” Daphne trills as she enters. “Made up with Dad?”


“There was no…” I gawp as Evan joins us. “…what are you doing here?!”


“Coffee, need a pick me up. Why…oh where’s my watch?” 


“Lounge, think we started there, right?” 


“Yep.” He scratches like a gibbon! “Why are you on your knees?” Before I can react, David returns. “Morning, Dr Dave.”


“Uh, morning, what’s…”


“Why are you back?” She returns his watch without a shred of shame! “Thought you had a couple of appointments?”


“Needed to message you but left my phone...” He leans against the counter. Why is he smiling at this?! “...what have you two been up to; were you playing safely?”


“Playing safely?!” I cry. “You don’t have an issue with them doing that in our house?!” 


“Her house first. Who was better, Evan?”


“Me, the answer is me!” Daphne snickers. “Although I could ask Ben if I could try…why are you down there?” 


“Checking how I got you and Brian?”


“I was not!” I growl, trying not to spring up or go slow! “Go and get dressed, Evan, we need to speak to…”


“Nobody is speaking to Daphne about her intimate relations; it's none of our never mind. Unless he hurts her, then it becomes police business. Got it?”


“Implicitly.”


“Now that subject’s closed…” She stares me down. “...what’s the message?”


“Your mom’s attorney’s been in touch.” 


“What the fuck for?!” She snarls, slamming down the mug.


“Darling.” He rubs her shoulders. “We will deal with it like we always do.”


“What do you mean attorney, what's happening?” I frown.


“Same bullshit; scummy-mommy wanting to try and be a family again! I won’t…”


“You said she was dead!” I’m so happy to have an out that’s their fault! “How could you two lie to me about that?!”  


“I said she is ‘dead to us’!” Daphne hisses, gripping the counter.


“Are you insane?!” Evan scoffs. “She’s lived in Missouri for years. David, did they say when it wants to meet?”


“No, they want me to call back and arrange. Look, would you mind staying with her, please?”


“Of course not. Come on, Daph, let’s go and…”


“...take it out on your ass instead of their faces!”


“And by ‘their’ she means you and her mom!” Evan snaps as they depart.


DAVID


“Of all the things to tune out…” I snarl. “...you pick that!”


“She said dead!” He thumps into a seat. “You two lied!”


“Let me get my phone…” He looks oddly smug when I return. “...so I can call your Ma, she…


“…will be as hurt, disgusted and disappointed as I am, if not more so!” 


We simmer quietly whilst waiting for her to pick up. “Hey, honey, is everything okay with you two now? He can be such a fucking bonehead sometimes!”


“He’s surpassed himself!” I exclaim.


“Give me a few seconds to find some privacy…okay, what happened?” 


“Who’s with you that you need privacy?” He demands. “You’ll never believe…”


“I want to hear from David!” She states.


“Where’s Daphne’s mom?” I ask.


“Missouri…” Her groan reverberates. “…what did he say?!”


“That we lied about her being dead, even though you were both there when we explained how her cheating on me led to her ‘demise’!” 


MICHAEL


My mouth is dry, stomach crawling as I now recall how Daphne’s gleeful description of how, despite the prenup, she left her mom destitute. Then shattered her reputation so badly she had to move to get away from the fallout! 


“Michael, I will be home in an hour, meet me...”


“I need to speak to David and Daph...” 


“Leave now!” She bellows. “David, I’ll call you after. What brought that up anyway?”


“Her attorney called, Evan is calming Daph down…” He chuckles. “...not so sure how he’s going to be walking afterwards though!”


“Oooh, we wondered where they went! Get her to call me later, sweetheart!”


“Will do, Debs. Bye.”


DEBS HOUSE - TWO HOURS LATER


DEBS


As we pull up outside, I see his van. “I can keep going.” Blake chuckles. 


“Great idea, but no.” I sigh. “When’s your date with Ted, there is a date with Ted, right?”


“Yes…” He blushes. “…but we’ve postponed it for a week. We've gotta move.”


“Why? It’s a lovely place, that bed’s so comfy!”


“Michael has the address.” He growls. “Which he didn’t ask for.”


“For crying out fucking loud; why must he be such a blundering asswipe?!”


“I like you too much to answer that.” He smiles as he gets out. Of course the asswipe comes running. As he gets alongside my door, I open it on him. I smile as he hobbles to the stoop, red faced. “If you’ve left anything at the house, I’ll drop it over for you.” He kisses my cheek and hands me my Louis Vuitton - I still can’t believe it's mine - case. 


“The bed maybe?” I grin.


“I’ll see what I can do, have as good a day as you can.” 


I watch him drive off whilst counting to ten. “Shut up and get inside!” I growl, shoving him ahead. 


MICHAEL


“Why did you take Brian’s address without asking?” She demands.


“Is that a real…Ma! What is wrong with you?! First you try to kneecap me with the door, now you’re slapping!” 


“Because words don’t seem to be getting through!” She shouts. “Why did you take his address?!”


“I didn’t…what are you doing?!” I shove him back and scroll through his phone. Sighing, I hand it back. “It's not there, is it?! So who told you that bullshit? Was it Ben, the jealous mincing prince…”


“Mincing prince! Would love to be there when you say that to either of their faces. Know this, bonehead, if he leaves again, I will circumcise you without anaesthetic!”


DEBS


“You need to tell me who said such bullshit about me taking his address; gonna move the van closer!”


After he bangs out, I grab his phone. Scrolling to the entry ‘Grosso Stallone’, my heart sinks as Brian’s address is there, I’m about to delete it when I have a much better idea. Smiling, I change it instead. Watching as he, as ever, turns a 3 point into an 8 point turn, I make another call. “Hey, Joan, can’t be long, you guys don’t need to move, I’ve fixed him. Tell you how later.” The next thing I check is the messages that he sent to ‘CokecunTed’. I am incensed at the lies he told him and how he kept him and Ems apart. 


I put it back and watch him preen in the side mirror then psyching himself up and storming back inside. “Well?” He barks as he sits. “And where did you get the money for that…” He gestures at the case. “...from Ted?”


“It doesn’t matter since they were wrong, right?”


“Of course, though you should really apologise for even asking.”


“I won’t.”


“Why not?”


“Fucked off over you calling them liars over her mom, remember?! Explain why you would come out with that?! Daphne…”


“...should apologise to me first, for screwing Evan in my house. So disrespectful, she knows how…”


“...jealous you are that Brian fucked him and not you? She’s not the only one!”


“Kip!” I gasp as he comes down the stairs. “What are you…”


“...traitor!” Michael fumes. “Why didn’t you sell to me?!”


“Because you wouldn't pay the price I wanted; she would and did!” 


“How long have you been asking?” I sigh.


“A year at least, right Michael?” 


“Why are you here and where’s ours keys?!” He demands.


“Daphne’s got the store ones here's yours.”He hands them over with a smile. “As for why, I’m taking all the stock that was here back. I am glad you’ve taken your head out of that ass, leaving more room for his; take care of yourself, you are a lovely lady.”


“Just fuck off outta here!” He orders. “Why are you going out the back?!”


“That’s where I parked my van, idiot!” He glares hatefully. “You have to improve everything about you to be in with half a chance with Brian! Have the life you deserve.” 


MICHAEL


BASTARD! Why did he have to say that! 


“Slam that and I slam you!” Ma warns. “So your penny pinching got you in balls; if you had bought him out then Daphne couldn't have, could she?” I grab my phone, stung by the truth of her words. “You're not leaving yet! How are you going to fix the liar situation?”


“I’m not jealous of Evan!”


“Also not answering the question, how are you going to fix it?!” 


“I don’t know.” I admit. “On the plus side, she may back out of the…”


“That’s why you said it?!” She yells, I stumble backwards. “Get lost, you dick!”


“Ma, wait, I didn’t mean that, I was just…”


“I swear to you that she’s going to stay your partner for as long as you both shall live!”


DAPHNE’S ANNEX - THREE HOURS LATER 


EVAN


“Did you manage to nap?” I lift the blanket, she flops down. “I make really good egg fried rice, you need to eat. Fury and coffee will only give you ulcers.” She rests against my shoulder. “Yes to food?”


“Please. Thanks for running me home, you didn’t need to do that.”


“How’s it gonna look if I let my boss’s daughter go home by herself in the wilds of Pittsburgh?” We lapse into silence. “It was a great night and morning, apart from that bit. We’ve got to watch the rest of the season.”


“It was and we will, so great to find another Naruto fan. Dad has every single episode on DVD and backed up on his laptop!” She laughs.


“So Novotny isn’t a fan?”


“No thank god.” She grimaces. “You know, I’m gonna get dad to play along with me strapping you. Okay with that?”


“Giving him an ulcer I can get behind, let’s play away, but safely.”


“Hahaha…” She cringes when her stomach rumbles. “…you like beer?”


“Of course!” I declare, helping her up, we walk in easy silence to the kitchen and start to do brunch. “Why did you ask about beer?”


“Oh!” She grabs a step stool to dig in the back of a cupboard, grinning triumphantly as she hands me a pack of beers. “Novotny loves these, I make a point not to offer them to him…”


“…I’ll get some delivered to you!”


STORE - SAME TIME


MICHAEL

 

I’ve been staring into space for the last two hours, wondering how my day has imploded like this. I don't know what fills me with more fury and revulsion: having to make it up with Ma, be a loving boyfriend/pseudo stepfather to David and Princess Daphne until I can separate Brian and Ben, or finding out that Kip has gone to one of my rival collectors in Harrisburg and sold the stock that was at Ma’s to them! 

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thanks.

Dinners by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 22 - DINNERS


JUSTIN’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


BRIAN


The front door opens as I close the trunk. I admire three things: the house, Justin and his suggestion that I stay here for a few days. Gus and Hunter are bunking between Mom and Mel, and Ben and Jen are staying at the house just in case Michael comes calling, although since Debs changed the address to a similar one in Ohio, the chances are slim to none!


“Welcome to Chateau Taylor, how may I assist you?” He bats prettily as he approaches.


“Kiss me.” He jumps to obey; I turn us so he can sit on the trunk. 


“Don’t mind me!” Emmett sing-songs. “I’ll take your stuff in, Big Bad!” 


Slowly we peel apart. “Why?” I mumble.


“Wants some advice.” He licks the saliva from my chin. “He and Ted have a date…”


“...Nellybutt!” He pokes his head out. “Why do you have a date with Ted, thought you liked Ben?!”


“Go make the drinks!” Justin grins. “If you had let me finish…with Ben and Blake; he’s not been on many since his first and last line of defence left town.” He licks my ear. “Given that you know his ‘paramount’, this is more about the outfit.”


“Ah. He’s not staying long?”


“Nice deflection, and that depends on you.” I smack his impertinent ass as he sashays inside.


EMMETT


I go through the rack again, leaning back as Brain wraps his arms around my waist. Tears prickle at the memory of the last time he did that. He was ‘drunk’ in my apartment. About a year before he left, all four of us were there…


Start of flashback

EMMETT


“Are you okay, Ted?” Michael asks, helping himself to another beer. He never ever brings drinks, then complains when I don’t have any!


“Hmm? Yeah, yeah, fine, fine. Why are we waiting?”


“Brian’s meeting us here, and…” Michael rushes to stop the hammering and hollering. “...you’re late, again! Shit, where did you stop off?!”


“Had a client meeting, Mikey!” He drawls, looking around. “With a few glasses of wine to seal the deal.”


“Bet that’s not all you sealed the deal with!” Michael and Ted snicker, I grit my teeth whilst rolling the rack to the centre of the room. “What are you doing?”


“Look at him! I’m not sure what to wear now!” 


“Doesn’t matter! We will overshadow you two as always, right Brian?” 


“Whose are the black boots by the door?” He’s simultaneously flicking through the rack and checking out my current outfit.


“Mine, they’re cool aren’t they?” He leans against him grinning. “Could be mistaken for Prada and…”


“Not a fucking chance!” His scoffing makes him pout and me smile. “And definitely not with shit on them.”


“I knew I smelt something!” I hand him some newspaper; sneering he heads to the bathroom! 


“What the fuck?!” I exclaim, whilst Ted blocks him. “Take them to the janitor’s room downstairs!”


“You’re being precious about this place?!” He scoffs.


“Downstairs!” I yank the door open.


“Arlight! If you’re lucky we’ll wait for you!” He snaps. “Come on, Brian!”


Gonna take a dump first…” He tosses over his shoulder. “...you got a clean douche? Really wanna get my ass ate!”


“It's under the sink!” I call back whilst shoving Michael out and holding him there. “We will meet you downstairs!” 


“I don’t even know where the room is?!” He carps.


“I’ll take you!” Ted rolls his eyes, as he closes the door behind him; he whispers. “Please be quick.”


“We will. Thanks, Teddy.” I lean against the door for a few seconds. “What did you say, Brian?!”


“That we’ll have a shot of vodka each.” He steps out smirking. “Dumped and douched before I came.”


“I knew that.” I chuckle as we head back to the lounge. He pours the shots, then rests his chin on my shoulder. “Is it really that…”


“...he hasn’t had another hand but his in weeks. Frustration makes him bitchier. What shoes…” I point he nods. “...this, that and those.”


“That’s perfect.” I sigh, leaning back against him.


He knocks back his drink. “I know, get changed. I’ll polish.”


“Hopefully, the blonde beefsteak that was dancing near the last time will come across and cheer him up, won’t be long.”

End of flashback


“And did he come across?” Justin curls up on the sofa.


“Yeah, for Nellybutt.” He chuckles. 


“We just danced and went for a coffee afterwards, despite what Michael thought! He got with him eventually, then spent about a week trying to compare notes on what he did to him, the noises he made him make, the..”


“Stop!” Brian cringes. “Wherever you’re going, leave your wallet. And why a double date?”


“We’re both nervous, and this way…”


“You’ll cramp each other’s style. Speaking of which, where the fuck are the shoes?”


“Why are you being like that?” Justin scowls. 


It deepens at my laughter. “He dresses from the feet up. Be one minute!” By the time I get back, Justin’s scowl has been turned upside down. “Here we go.”


Smiling, this man and his shoes, he quietly takes out each pair. “They look well seasoned, how long have you had them?”


“Eight years.” I smirk waiting for realisation to dawn.


He looks incredulous. “Are they mine?!”


“Yes! I stuffed them to retain the shape. Brian Aiden Kinney…” I scream as I’m thrown on the sofa, which means one thing! “...no tickling! No…hehehehe…don’t, isn't it a good thing I did!” He stops and sits on me, Justin grins from the sofa. “Up and off, you monster!” I prod his stomach. 


“So why do you have them? Thought Michael would…”


“I saved them from being wanked on every…hey!” I gasp as they both hit me with cushions. “He found them in the back closet; was strutting about, claiming they fit perfectly…” I wait for their laughter to die down. “...he left them in his car, which because of ‘who I am’ he never locked, so here we are; although I was almost tempted to ‘find’ them for the reward he put up!” 


“You are joking?” He gulps.


“Nope, they were just in Babylon. For once Debs put her foot down and refused to have the notice in the diner!”


He toes off his shoes whilst Justin takes out the paper. We hold our breath as he tries them on. “Perfect!”


“Cu…cocksucker!” Justin spits as he reads his phone. We crowd round, it's a text from Daph detailing Michael’s latest antics. “That cannot go unpunished!”


“It won’t!” I tap the side of my glass. “Oh, I know! Invite him for dinner…”


“...he’s supposed to be being punished!” Brian growls.


“...again, let him finish! It will be where he and Ben are, right?” I grin. “He will see you in a cosy little nook, and…” Brian sweeps him into a kiss, which makes him moan and me blush.


“You had better be close by.” He murmurs, kneading his ass. “Or we could…”


“Big Bad.” I start to gather our stuff. “We're getting ready at mine!” 


DAVID AND MICHAEL’S HOME - LATE EVENING


MICHAEL


If there’s one thing I am on a par with Brian now, it’s my blowjobs! David’s been benefiting from me honing my technique for when Brian and I begin our lives together. I gave him a spectacular one as soon as he came through the door! 


“I hope you’ve got a similar greeting for me?” I call into the ensuite. He sighs. “Or would you like a rest first?”


“Neither.” He steps out buttoning his shirt. “Dinner plans...”


“Why didn’t you say; where are we going?” 


“Your ‘greeting’ didn’t give me a chance.” He states, too coolly for my liking, as he hunts for something. “There’s no ‘we’. I’m meeting George and Evan. Have you seen my rose gold cufflinks? It’s a working dinner. Evan’s going to be trying to wrangle our diaries and the hospice admin into order.”


“What do you mean ‘greeting’, and why can’t you meet during working hours?” 


“Because George and Uncle Vic are going to Santa Fe for a…will you put back things when you borrow them?! For a week from tomorrow, so Evan wants to take advantage of his absence to get on top of some things.”


“I bet he does!” I mutter quietly. “Uncle Vic is going to Sante Fe? He never said anything to...” As I go to text him, a notification from Brian comes through; he's inviting me to dinner, just the two of us as Prince Benny has ‘abandoned him to a boys’ night with college friends’! “...so I don’t have to come?”


“You're not invited. Your irrationality around Evan where we're going will not do. Let me finish up in there…” He steps into the ensuite. “...whatever you do tonight, enjoy yourself and don’t wait up.” 


As the door closes, his snotty comments fade away as knowing that with Brian to myself, I will! 

 

End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive, thanks

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1694