The Piano by MissMerlot
Summary:

Brian Kinney can come and go as he pleases, do what he wants, when he wants with who he wants. And now he's about to enter fatherhood with his best friend Lindsay and her wife Mel, who despite their earlier rocky start, are close. However, a few spanners are thrown into his world. Lindsay's grasping friend Dusty is turning her head. Michael's callousness towards Ben is turning his stomach and Claire's cruelty towards his nephews, especially Peter, is bringing back bad memories. When all three situations start to implode, Justin Taylor’s return further messes with his equilibrium. The question Brian has to honestly answer is he the last or the best thing he needs?


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brandon, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Claire Kinney, Debbie Novotny, Dijon, Emmett Honeycutt, Jack Kinney, Joan Kinney, Justin Taylor, Leda, Lindsay Peterson, Loretta Pye, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt, Vic Grassi
Tags: 500k+ Word Count, Abuse/Child Abuse, Addiction/Alcoholism, Anal Sex (Lots of it!), Anti-Lindsay, Anti-Michael, Bashing, Bottom Brian, Brain Bleach Recommended, Business Brian, Drug Use - Recreational, Established Relationship, First Time (Sex), Fluff, Friendship, Getting Back Together, Hatred, HIV/Aids, Jealousy, Mental Health Issues, Oral Sex, PTSD, Rage, Raw Sex, Responsible Justin, Rimming, Sex Toys, Slow Burn, Toppy Justin, Vulnerable Brian, Vulnerable Justin
Genres: Angst w/ Happy Ending, Drama, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Porny
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Emmett/Other, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Ted/Blake, Vic/Rodney
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 50199 Read: 38636 Published: Oct 05, 2021 Updated: Apr 13, 2024

1. Reading the Riot Act by MissMerlot

2. History Comes to the Diner for Dinner by MissMerlot

3. Explaining the Past and Staking His Claim on the Future by MissMerlot

4. Past, Present and Future by MissMerlot

5. The Key to Change and Their Wingmen by MissMerlot

6. Loft Keys and Lost Keys by MissMerlot

7. Squeaking and Stirring Leads to Sleeping by MissMerlot

8. Once Again They Cause a Problem by MissMerlot

9. The Southern Rescuer by MissMerlot

10. Coming, Going, Staying and Weakening by MissMerlot

11. Home - Comings and Goings by MissMerlot

12. Secrets Discovered and Shared by MissMerlot

13. Nina and Brandon to the Rescue by MissMerlot

14. The Voice by MissMerlot

15. The Women Who Plot and Keep Their Counsel by MissMerlot

16. In No Particular Order, Breakfast, Late Lunch and Dinner by MissMerlot

17. Prepping for the Truth to be Told and a New Household by MissMerlot

18. Early Bird Eats the Worm and Opposite Will Definitely Attract by MissMerlot

19. Cliff Diving Hideaway by MissMerlot

20. Shots Fired by MissMerlot

21. The Mesh They Made by MissMerlot

Reading the Riot Act by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 1 - READING THE RIOT ACT


WOODY’S - EARLY EVENING


MEL


I fiddle with the stem of my glass. Lindsay running late, gives me some time to formulate my words. “Hey, Mel.” Michael smiles as he sits, he is the last person I want to see. “No Lindz?” He takes off his jacket, dumps his bag on the table, then clicks his fingers. The barman glares. “Why does he always scowl like that?”


“Because clicking your fingers is rude.” Ben states. I sigh, which he picks up on and gives me a small smile. “Let's grab that booth over there, sweetie.” 


“Why? I've just gotten comfortable.” 

 

“Because there’s not enough seats, with Lindsay and who else they're waiting for.” He takes his jacket. “Grab your bag, let’s get it before it goes.”

 

“We can wait for Lindz and whoever to arrive, then we’ll move.” Michael declares. My heart sinks further as he’s being his usual nosy self. “So who else is joining you?”


“What Mel, Lindsay and I have to discuss is none of your business!” Vic makes him jump, he has no time for that side of Michael. “Ben, grab the booth. Debs, take your son.” He colours up before going redder when Debs and Vic hoist him out of the seat. “Be over soon, Debs, get me beer with a chaser, please.”


“Sure, honey!” She calls, pushing him ahead of her. People around are smirking, as, once again, Michael is berated by the Mother of the Avenue. 


“You okay, sweetheart?” Vic takes my hand, I swallow down tears. “Tough loss?”


“No, I won.” I sniff. “I can negotiate with supreme court judges, get radical legislation pushed through, but can’t get my wife to see sense.” 


“Do you have time to give me the gist? Let’s see if we can help.”


“Can we meet later, just you, me and Debs?” Just as he nods, Lindsay arrives all smiles, as well she would be. “Hey, Lindz, all sorted at the gallery?”


“Yes, finally. Hi. No Brian?” At the mention of her best friend’s name, Vic gets up, blows me a kiss, winks then goes to join Debs. “Must not have heard me.”


“Who mustn’t have, since that was a very generalised hi?” I point out, just as the barman arrives with a tray of drinks. “Did you phone ahead?” I frown.


She finally looks from the door. “What? No, we didn’t order them, please take them away.”

 

“Kinney.” The barman states. Again, she’s all smiles. I feel the stabbing looks emanating from the booth, as they will be. Brian has ordered Chocolate Box and the steak sliders, these being a favourite of all, especially his best friends. “Said he'll be about ten minutes, and not to have the wine before he gets here.”

 


“Of course!” I chuckle, it dies when the sulk covers her face. “Have the rest of mine.” I slide it across. She scowls. “It’s almost as good, and there’s plenty left.”


“No, I’ll wait for Brian. The way that he teases me is not fair, he knows how much I love this!” Funny how despite her great love, she never buys it when it’s the two of us! “How long was he going to be again?”


“Now eight minutes.” I reply. “Have the sliders instead.”


“They and the wine go so perfectly together.” She huffs, reaching for her phone. “Am going to check if I can open the wine. I’m so hungry!”


“He’s going to say no, like he always does when it comes to that one. Just have mine and stop being so dramatic!” I snipe. Slowly, with her sulk deepening,she puts her phone away. I pray that the minutes pass quickly.


“Why is such a pretty face wreathed in such misery?” The man in question drawls.


“You made me wait for the wine and food.” Lindsay chides him.


“I was talking to Mel.” His eye batting makes me smile. “Much better. And you were waiting for three minutes tops for me. So let’s eat before you expire from malnutrition.”


“Hey, Brian!” Michael calls. He rolls his lips in as neither Ben nor Vic are moving to let Michael out, despite his squirming. “Come join us! Mel and Lindz are waiting for someone!”


“Then I’ll wait till they come!” He calls back, silencing Lindsay’s about to be smugnicity. Another balderdash word of hers and her other best friend. He opens the wine and pours mine first. “So, before all else, did you win?”


“Of course!” I snort. He clinks my glass then pours and clinks Lindsay’s, who takes half of it down whilst putting two sliders on her plate. “You had a good day too?” 


He’s doing this deliberately, as best a friend he is to Lindsay and Michael, the one thing he has no truck with now is their entitlement. “Perfect day of doing exactly what I please. And today was the day to buy a Corvette.”


“A Corvette?” Lindsay gasps. “That’s hardly baby appropriate is it?!”


“Why would the baby that you two want to raise be in my brand new Corvette?”


She lights up and blushes at the same time. “So you’ll still be the father, like we both want?” 


“This is not the place for that.” I state, trying to halt the tsunami of the row we will be having later, if I don’t get Brian to see sense, and by sense I mean Lindsey's eye on his wallet. 


“This was the point of us meeting, Mel.” Lindsay bristles. “Now, the paperwork needs to be finalised, come around over the weekend and we can do that.”


He chews thoughtfully. “Nope, it will have to be either during next week or the following one.”


“What’s so important that takes precedence?” She demands. He stops chewing, then drains the bottle into his glass, she scowls again. “I’ll order another, shall I?” She’s up before he can answer.


“She’ll be there for a while.” He leans closer. “You two are still not on the same page with this, are you?”


“We are, it’s everything else I have an issue with. Have you read the document she had drawn up?”


“No, what’s wrong with it?”


“I’ve not seen it!” I sigh. He looks surprised then pissed. “Let me guess, she said I had?”


“Not quite. She said an attorney had seen it, assumed it was you. Want me to send it to you now?” I nod. “It’s on my laptop, in the car, give me ten minutes.” 


LINDSAY


“How long did he say he’s going to be? I’ve just set up a tab.” She grumbles, scanning the crowd for his return.


“Ten minutes.” I clip out.


“Isn‘t it exciting we're going to be parents?!” 


“Very, but what’s the hurry for everything to be put in place? He’s got to have his tests yet.”


“True, well I’ll ask him to put a rush on that when he comes back. Should have the results next week, if we’re lucky.” 


My anger spikes, but before I can speak, the email comes through. The title is 'no rights, no money'. Sighing, I lean forward. “Let’s go home and discuss this, just you and me.”

 

“Brian needs to be involved.” She presses.

 

“No I don’t.” He grinds out. “Everything needs to be agreed with the three of us, starting with the two of you. See you later.” 


“Uh, Brian, the tab and your jacket.” She calls out, he comes back, she smiles. “It's $37 plus tax.”


“Oh, yes, that.” He retorts before kissing my cheek. Quickly he grabs his jacket, and makes his way back through the throng.


“Brian! What’s the matter with you?!” She cries, starting to follow. However, whilst the crowd makes way for him, for her not so much. They treat her with the same love and affection they have for Michael. Her attempts to push through are blocked, so she resorts to brute force, and makes progress. I take my chance and head to the ladies. 


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


When I got back to the table, neither Mel nor the wine were there. Thankfully, the barman had taken it when Mel left. She's taking her time though. I’m about to call, when she comes back. “I was beginning to worry, where’d you go?”


“Bathroom.” She states, putting on her jacket. “Get that to carry out, we need to talk!” Like Brian, she stalks away, I quickly go to the bar for a cork, however, I’m lumbered with the bill - seems Brian had forgotten when he was pouting about something.


I finally get outside, but can’t see her. When she deigns to pick up, she says she couldn’t wait as she had to deal with something urgent.


“There’s a bit of a queue, will be there as soon as I can. Mel? Mel?” But she’s already hung up.


MEL AND LINDSAY'S HOUSE - HALF AN HOUR LATER


KITCHEN


MEL


She's on the phone when she comes in, my heart shrivels when I hear her say Dusty. I grab the whisky instead and wait for her to finish. 


“Everything sorted? Oh, well judging by the whisky maybe not. I thought you won in court today?”


“I did, but I’m losing at home.” I fume. “Which cocksucker did you get to draw up what you want Brian to sign?”


“Cocksucker!” She sneers. “Dusty’s attorney made some very good suggestions. I don’t see what’s wrong with them. She’s not been steered wrong by her.”


“That’s true, but she's also been abandoned by virtually all her friends, well apart from you, for her appalling behaviour towards Leda. Or don’t you remember her sobbing on the couch?!”


“Apart from me?! You mean you’re not her friend anymore either?”


“We’re never going to be as close as we once were, not after how she treated her. And having read this dirge, I can see why you went behind my back.”


“I didn’t! I knew you were so busy with the case. I thought I would take one thing off the table.”


“Not this! Its too important to take off the table and sort without me!” Pacing cools me down a bit. “We’ve got to get plans in place before he puts a rush on anything. Starting with who’s going to carry, how and where the insemination is going to take place and much more.”


“The answer to the first question is easy. Me, I’m carrying. Unlike you, I’ve no issues with doing so.” 


I feel like I’ve been slapped and punched. “Issues? Don’t be so callous! Yes, endometriosis is a serious illness, However, I’ve done some research, which categorically states it can be treated!”


“I know, but Dusty and I think it would make more sense for me, as his best friend, to carry.”


LINDSAY


Shitfuck! Shouldn’t have said that! “Now, don’t make that face. I needed a sounding board, and she’s experienced this, we’ve not.”

 

“No we’ve not.” I breathe an inner sigh of relief that she’s calmed down so quickly. “And at this fucking rate we won’t!” She screams before snatching the wine out of my reach. “Go stay with Dusty, because you will regret it if you don’t!”

 

MICHAEL AND BEN’S HOUSE - NEXT MORNING


MICHAEL

 

 

We're hosting brunch and Brian's on his way.

 

Last night though, Ben and I ended up having a row. He had followed me to the bar, when I managed to escape, which I wish I knew before I asked Lindsay what was happening. I couldn’t believe it when she said that they’re still talking about babies. When I mentioned this to Ma, she went all sappy and asked when we were going to make her a grandma. Ben was annoyed that I replied never without speaking to him first.

 

Ben’s gone for a walk, said he needs to clear his head, but will be back for brunch.


“Ben! Michael! Where are you guys?!” Brian calls as he enters. “Ah, Michael, there you are. I’ve just had a call from Debs, said she’s going to be a bit late as she’s got to get the croissants. Which leads me to ask, why is she even doing breakfast in the first place?”


“Whoa, let’s say hi properly before anything else!” I laugh, approaching for our usual hug and kiss. He looks pissed off and folds his arms. “What’s wrong?”


“The wrong is that you were supposed to cook, not Debs!”


“I overslept, she didn’t mind.” I protest. “Come on, hug me!” 


Although he does, it's brief, and there’s no kiss. “Where’s Ben?”


“Went for a walk, back soon.”


“Oh shame, was hoping to speak to him first, will call later.” He helps himself to coffee. “And no, you can’t help, so there’s no point you asking.”

 

“He’ll tell me anyway.” I declare.

 


“Then you can wait until he does.” He grimaces after sipping. “What is that?!” 

 

“Last night’s.” I blush. He scowls and throws away the contents of his cup and the jug. “I forgot.” 


“How do you forget to refresh your coffee?” He sneers. He’s been doing that a lot lately.


“Ma traumatised me by hinting that our family should be expanding.” 


He looks me up and down. “There's already a bit of expansion here.” I slap his pinching fingers away, he smirks.


“There is not!” He shrugs. “She’s got baby fever.” I grumble.


“You’d make good looking babies, as long as they made sure to use more of Ben’s.”


“Why more of Ben’s?” I sulk. “Besides, I don’t want to be a single father.” 


“Why would you be a single father? You and Ben are okay, right?”


“Of course we are. I just don’t want to bring up a child by myself.”


“You're not making sense. If you’re not splitting up, why would that be the case?”

 

“Brian!” I sigh crossly at his density. “HIV means he will die before the child is a teen, or even earlier.” 

 

“That’s a hideous thing to think, let alone say! Besides, he's been perfectly healthy for over ten years.” He snarls. “Ever thought that you could die first?! Or are you planning on killing him for the insurance the moment the spunk is shot up some poor cow’s twat?”


“No, of course not! But the chances of me going first are slimmer. Brian?! You're leaving?!” I grab his arm, but he spits like a feral cat and pulls free. “I don't get why you’re so pissed!”


“Because you’re behaving like a grade A shit, and I’ve lost my appetite!” He shoves me away and yanks open the back door, Ma is coming up the steps. “See you later, Debs!”


“Later? Why? What’s happened? I’ve got the croissants you like, which I had to go to two stores for, so get your ass inside!”


DEBS


He pauses before turning back. Our relief is short lived, as he opens the box and takes two out. “Sorry you went through that, Debs, but I can’t. And your wannabe merry widow of a son can explain why!” 


He must be super fucked off as he shoves them in the pocket of his Zenga jacket and sprints away. I push Michael indoors and into a chair. “What the fuck did you do?!”

 

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

History Comes to the Diner for Dinner by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 2 - HISTORY COMES TO THE DINER FOR DINNER


MEL AND LINDSAY'S HOUSE - NEXT DAY, LATE AFTERNOON 


LOUNGE


VIC


I can’t believe the document that she wants Brian to sign, and am, like Mel still is, furious. 


Debs was already simmering after what Michael said, she’s now almost spitting fire as she reads it. “I’ve always thought that Dusty was bad news!” I stop her from ripping them in half. “So what are you going to do about this influence she’s exerting?”


“Influence?” Mel frowns.


“Honey.” Like Debs I’ve no time for Dusty, who seemed to be a nice lady, except she’s a narcissistic masc stud that needs pulling down a peg or two. Of course, Brian’s saw through her act immediately, which is why she hates him. She also, to my mind, is after Lindsay. “She knew you wouldn’t let Brian near that, so she got her bottom feeder to do it.”


She looks so sad, almost defeated. “What do you suggest I do? If I speak to Brian alone, she’s going to go ballistic, shrieking that he’s her best friend.”


“But she's your wife.” Debs points out after knocking back her wine. “Who is speaking about your business to someone else. Which he would be pissed about, if he knew.” She pours more wine. “Tell him. He’d do the same.” She glances at her phone, I hand it to her. “On speaker.” Debs prompts.


“You’re right, nowadays he would.” She whispers. After two attempts, the hoarse voice of my favourite boy comes over the airways. “Did I interrupt?”


He snorts. “I picked up, therefore no. Who’s with you?”


“What do you mean?” 


He slurps his beverage. “Have croissants, will start smacking.”


“No!” I cringe. “Me and Debs. And if you sign that, I’ll bust you in the cock!” 


“So where’d she get it written up?” The rustling says he’s still in bed. 


“Dusty’s attorney.” Debs replies. Mel glares and he hisses. “You were stalling, when you’re not at fault.”


“Couldn’t you let her stay on the sofa?!” He sighs as something dings.


“Oh, she’s not. Tell me she’s not at yours?!” Mel fumes, Debs is already corking the wine, I’m getting my coat and keys. “We’ll be there in 30 minutes.”


“Make it 20 if you want her un-eviscerated!” He clips out and hangs up.


“Let me call Carl, we’ll be there in 15!” Debs growls, waving us ahead.


BRITIN - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


I put my hair up, wishing I had accepted Dusty’s offer of Advil before I left. We were up all night talking about Mel’s complete overreaction to the document. Brian’s not said anything, so he’s obviously fine about it! Besides, he’s a multi-millionaire, and by the time he’s wanting things, as I’m determined to have a boy - or keep trying until I do - Brian will have calmed down from his wild ways and want to spoil his son and heir.


I check the house again, it’s magnificent. Far too large for him, of course, but he likes things big. Seems, judging by the lack of life at this hour, he’s recovering from last night’s debauchery. I take my purse and the papers, grateful that Dusty reprinted them after Mel shredded everything.


Having to knock on an admittedly beautiful door, really irks, but he’ll have to give me a key now. Like Dusty says, it makes perfect sense. However, before I can, he opens it. “Letting out company?” I tease, stepping inside.


“Letting some wanted ones in.” He drawls, which makes me frown. It deepens at the sound of sirens, however, he blocks my exit. “Go to the front room whilst I deal with this.”


“I’ll just grab some Advil and rest in the drawing room.” I declare, scowling at the colloquialism. A house this grand does not have a front room!


TEN MINUTES LATER


The headache has gone, thank goodness. I managed to find Vicodin, so I took a couple of those - and a few strips for later. Hopefully they won’t be needed, but I never know how Mel’s going to be these days. 


I opened a bottle of 2017 Chateau Belair Monange and poured generously. He’s got a few, so one is by my feet for my cellar. I top up my glass and get comfortable, pulling the documents closer when the front door shuts. 


“Why were the police here?” I call, wondering what’s taking him so long.


“Why are you here?” Mel’s icy presence has me splashing wine over myself in shock.


“Mel!” I gasp, trying to gather my thoughts. They’re further scattered when an unimpressed Vic and Debs follow. “Where’s Brian?! What’s happened?!”


“Talking to Carl.” Mel growls, picking up the bottle, then peering in my purse. “So you’re on wine having taken Vicodin? And where are you going with this? Did you ask Brian if you could take a $125 bottle of wine?”


“Don’t be silly Mel.” Debs yips. “She never does. I’ll hold onto this for now.”


EMMETT’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


RECEPTION 


EMMETT


My jaw is still swinging. “Stop gaping and hug me!” My favourite nymph ever giggles. It's been two years since I last saw him in the flesh and I’ve missed him. “Ems! Hug!” He gives me a firm shake, I hold him tight. “Hug, not strangle!” He croaks.


I let go, he gingerly stretches. “Oh, Sunshine!” I wobble. “What the hell are you doing here?!”


“I’ve done roaming and am back for good.” He drops his holdalls. “Can I crash here for a week or two until my place is ready?”


“Place?” I pull him into the kitchen. “Where is it?”


“Thirty minutes outside of Pittsburgh. A nice country pile.” He pushes his hair off his face. “I finally found a use for some of the money that I got.” I sigh, wishing he wouldn’t joke about being bashed by his former classmate, Chris Hobbs, at their prom. 


It took him a year to recover from his injuries, after which he fought through the courts, alone I might add, after his parents abandoned him the second he was attacked. Not only did he win, but he won big. First, Hobbs was properly sentenced from the paltry six months community service to 15 years in jail. Then he sued the school, the Hobbs family and the police department for complicity, he was awarded millions. The school was forced to close, heads rolled at the police department, and the family was made bankrupt. 


“So I can stay, right?” 


“Of course you can!” I declare, pulling myself from that shitshow. “When did you get back?”


“Yesterday, visited a few haunts and bumped into at least one friendly face.” His grin lights up the room, as it always does. “Could do with seeing more though, chances of us going to the diner are?”


“High, oh so very high!” I laugh, looking forward to the looks on peoples faces when the other legend shows his again.


BRIAN’S HOUSE


BRIAN


Carl stands over Lindsay, his gaze unflinching, hand outstretched. “Yes, this is necessary, unless you want to be arrested for driving under the influence.” Flame faced, she hands over her keys. “You can pick up your vehicle after four tomorrow. By that time, it should be out of your system. Vic, will you drive us back?”


“Of course.” He grins.


“Great. So wine for five then, I’ll be mother.”


“Mel, can we please go home?” Lindsay demands. 


“You came for a reason, with that, what is it?” I sit opposite her. “If it was to sweet talk me into signing it, fuck off. Even without them present, I won’t.”


“You’re backing out of helping us be parents?! So much for you not breaking a promise!”


“Oh no, girlie, you’re not pulling that!” Debs rails. 


“Ma.” I chide gently, she sometimes forgets that I’m not Michael and can fight my own battles. “Let me.”


“Standing and sitting down.” She retorts, giving Lindsay a look that could stop Kraken.


“You want so much, but give me nothing in return.”


“You can see the child whenever you want!” 


“With no choice or say in anything!” I snap, feeling so hurt that she thinks so little of me apart from fiscally. “And these penalties you’ve come up with! Or should I say Musty Dusty’s cocksucker did.”


“Don’t call her that!” 


“Smelly says I can, so Imma gonna go with that right now.” 


“Well I don’t like it, so stop!”


“But it’s okay for me to call her Smelly, is it?!” I seethe. “Defend the right person, or she won’t be here for you to do so!” She goes to speak but another Kraken stopping look, this time from Mel, silences her. “Go home Lindsay, or to Dusty’s. Just get out of here and think about how we go forward, because you’re dangerously close to losing me and her.”


“Brian! How can you say that?! I’m only trying to protect the future of our child!”


“Bullshit!” Mel explodes.


“Everyone calm down!” Carl orders. “Just got a text from Ems, he asked if he can use the diner for an all family round up, as he’s got a surprise. Am going to say yes, and cook. So you all have to be there, or I will be fucked off.” We’re still simmering and exchanging heated looks. “I said calm down. Back to your corners. Get there for seven. Comprendere!”


“We’ll be there. Mel, you’re staying. We three need distance.” 


“Thanks, Brian.” She kisses my cheek, then heads to her room.


“This is going to be a very quiet journey home.” Lindsay sighs.


“No it’s not!” Vic growls.


DINER, BACK BOOTH - SEVEN PM


MICHAEL


Neither Ma, Uncle Vic, nor Brian are speaking to me properly. However, whatever it is that Emmett wants us to see has at least thawed the ice a little. Ma, when I told her what I said, damn near ripped my balls off. She, of course, told Uncle Vic, who at least understood where I was coming from a little being a fellow sufferer. My relief at having him onside for once was short lived. He called me a shithead for not considering that Ben would want to be in a child’s life for however long.


As for Ben, he stayed out way past lunch and dinner. He stank of booze and I made him sleep in the spare room. He must have been very drunk, as he didn’t argue. Our conversations have been stiff ever since, all he would say about his evening was that he met a friend. 


“Ted?!” Ma cries and I’m surprised too. “Come here immediately!” He’s engulfed in a hug and tears stream down her face. “So lovely to see you, how’s everything, you're back for good?”


“Everything’s great. And yes, back for good.” He looks around, his face falling slightly when he sees me. “Nobody else about?”


“You mean you’re not the surprise from Ems?” She asks.


“No, he doesn’t know I’m back.”


“I do now!” Emmett shrieks, running towards him. I feel a stab of envy at their closeness, especially after yesterday. “Oh my Teddy!” He covers his face in kisses, before turning him around. “You look so well!”


“Thanks, the love of a good man helps.”


“You met someone whilst you were away?!” Ma demands, pulling him to stand in front of her. “Who and where?!”


“Me and California airport.” A familiar voice replies. “Hi Ems, Debs.” My heart sinks as Blake Wyzecki is swept into their embraces. I dislike him so much, what with his obvious crush on Ben! “Michael, where’s that handsome boyfriend of yours?”


“My husband will be joining us shortly.” I bite out.


“You have a talent then? Who’d have thought it would be something like that.” He drawls, making Ted and Emmett laugh. Ma clips him gently around the ear, not the defence I deserve!


“Sit, sit.” Emmett orders, pushing them opposite me whilst he helps Ma with the coffee. “So what’s this about Vic and a date?” I gape at her, she’s grinning smugly. “What’s the man’s name?”


“Rodney. And this is their third. He packed his scanties.” She laughs before turning to me. “I would keep any thoughts to yourself, especially that one! Hey, Mel and Kiddo, will you look at who's here!”


“Schmidt! You’re back, move Blake!” Brian orders, hauling Ted out of the seat, he hugs him hard and kisses his cheek! Livid does not come close! “You two are coupled up now?”


“Yes.” Blake laughs and he hugs him too! 


EMMETT


“So this is the surprise?” Mel beams as she and Brian sit next to Ted and Blake, just where I need them to be. I check the door and see Ben coming in. “Ems?”


“No, mine’s just washing his hands. Ben, how are you feeling, after last night's shenanigans?”


“Fine, Ems.” He calls as he enters. “Are we all here, shall I lock the door Debs?”


“Yes please honey.”


As he approaches, he beams, Michael thinks this is for him so smiles back. “Hi, how’s your head?”


“My head?” He frowns. “Unlike you, I wasn’t out drinking.”


“He’s talking to me. And mine is fine.” The lilting tones of Justin stuns all but Carl, who had demanded to know what the surprise was, host privileges he claimed. 


It’s Debs who recovers first. “Be gentle!” He pleads as she grabs him. Five minutes later, he’s signalling for help, Mel and I get him out, whilst Brian chuckles. “No Lindsay?”


“She’s got a headache, so is giving it a miss.” Mel returns, her tone slightly chilly and Brian squeezes her hand, another row must have happened. 


I will find out about that later. For now, I need to sort out something else. “Justin, sit down.” I push him next to Michael, who stiffens. “Problem, Michael?”


“Yes, Ben will be sitting next to me. So he’ll have to move.”


“Well, if Ben comes and asks me to, then I will. Meanwhile, I’ll admire the view.” He turns his gaze to Brian, who holds it unfazed. “Which has improved over the years.”


“You’ve filled out.” Brian sips his coffee. “In town long?”


“For good. Have bought a house and everything.” Whilst Brian barely flickers, Michael looks horrified. “Am going to be throwing a party to which most of you are invited. Obviously, Michael, given our history, you'll have to find something else to do that night. Perhaps you and Lindsay could take in a movie?”


“Why would I go with Lindsay? It would be Ben and I not attending.” 


“Justin was his friend before you came along and will be his friend long after you’ve gone. You know, when you talk your ass into a divorce.” I growl, sitting next to Justin, whilst Debs sits next to Brian, meaning they’re opposite each other. “Now, listen to me you Wankering Wannabe Widower, don’t say that shit again! Now fix this or I’ll fix it for you.”


“And I’ll help, with whatever it is.” Justin adds, glaring at him. “You know how persuasive I can be.” The hateful look he gives Justin, simply makes him smile. “Is that the best you’ve got? You and Hobbs have something in common: trapped in a prison that I put you in.” Mel clears her throat, Justin shakes his head. “There’s only one way I’m going to stop, he has to ask.” All eyes turn to Brian. “Seems he’s not inclined to save your ass this time.” Once more blue eyes meet green. “Or are you?”


“Behave, the pair of you. Let’s just have a nice evening. Shall we go check the food Emmett?”


“Do I have a choice?” He shakes his head. “Can Ben come too? I need a line of defence!”


“Fine, let’s go.” Brian orders, and although I’m due a bollocking, the relief on Ben’s face makes me want to hug him. 


KITCHEN


BRIAN


I wait for the door to shut. “Nellycutt, you bastard!” I growl, shoving him against the fridge. He laughs before kissing my hand, I flick his nose. “How long have you been hiding him?!”


“A few hours. I swear I didn’t know he was back until he turned up at my place this morning. And don’t call me Honeycutt or Nellycutt!” I glower before starting to grin. “Not mad then?”


“Shut up!” I grump, pulling him from the fridge. “You know what he’s cooking? What’s the savoury to sweet ratio?” No response, sighing I turn around. “What?”


“What.” Ben mocks. “He’s looking fucking hot, that's what! Nothing, you’re not feeling anything?!”


“Nope, not a thing.”


“And why would he?!” Michael’s sharp tone wipes the smile off Ben’s face. “Why are you telling Emmett our private things, Ben?!”


“He didn’t tell me, you did.” Emmett snaps, moving behind Ben where there isn’t a grill pan he can reach. “I was with him when you pocket dialled him during your chat with Brian. How’d you get by Justin?”


“He and Blake went to pick up something, men most likely!”


“For god sake, get over it!” Ben snarls. “Yes, Blake fancied me, but he’s with Ted now and they look happy. Like Ems said, fix things with me, which by the way, you asking why Brian would feel anything for Justin is not the way to do it!”


“You asked too!” He snaps.

 

“My context is different. I don’t dream of sleeping with Brian before you’re even cold!”

End Notes:

Please, if reviewing, be kind and constructive. Thx

Explaining the Past and Staking His Claim on the Future by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 3 - EXPLAINING THE PAST AND STAKING HIS CLAIM ON THE FUTURE


EMMETT


I’m not sure who is more horrified, me or Brian. 


“Wh-what? No. No.” Brian is rigid with revulsion. “We’re just friends, there’s no feeling like that there. Right, Michael? Michael! That's right, isn’t it?!”   


“Where did you get that idea?!” Michael squawks. “Like he said, we’re best friends only.”


“He said friends, you added best.” Ben growls. “You tend to embellish where he is concerned.”


Carl comes through the back. Looking around, he sighs. “Whatever this is, take it home. Ben, Michael, go sit down and play nice!” Ben leaves, but Michael doesn’t. “Michael, go and sit down, these two will be out in a second or two.”


“Literally a second or two, Brian, okay? You know what Justin’s like!” He carps.


“The quicker you go, the quicker he gets back.” Carl opens the door, we suppress our giggles when it clips him as it shuts.


“Before you start, not my fault!” Brian protests. “Justin came with Nellycutt, and I had no idea Ben was going to say that!”


“Nellycutt, cute. I know it’s not your fault, Brian. Also, I didn’t hear what Ben said, but trouble always finds you when those two are in the same space. Add Blake to the mix, well that’s another level. Keep them contained, I don’t want in-fighting. You don’t have a problem with Justin being back, do you?” He chuckles when Brian rolls eyes. “Thought not. Like I said, contain them. Now, go start, as I mean you to go on.”


“We were checking the food.” I point out.


“Not anymore, send Debs.” He orders. We troop out to do as we’re told, well I do, Brian goes to the bathroom.


TED


“Ben went to get beers. Michael’s outside on the phone, complaining to Lindsay, after he was rejected and humiliated by his husband.” I explain to a puzzled looking Ems, because Mel can’t speak for laughing. 


“Did Ben really say that about his fantasy of Brian fucking him?”


“Yes.” Ems tucks his arm into mine as he sits. “Although he denied it, as the western seaboard heard. How was he rejected?”


“He wanted to help Ben, who said he could manage. Michael translated that to you’re wholly useless, fuck off eat shit and die.” She titters.


“Of course he did.” Ems remarks.


“Psst!” Blake hisses from the corridor. “Has he gone-gone?” 


“Not for long-long, come out you two!” Mel orders, shaking her head as Blake and Justin giggle. “Blake! I heard Carl, how is this nice?!” 


“What?” Blake simpers as he puts on Ben’s jacket. “I’m cold.”


“Where’s Brian?” Justin asks, getting more coffee. 


“In the bathroom.” Ems replies, as Michael storms towards us. 


“How coincidental, I need relief.” Justin throws over his shoulder, and sashays away.


“Blake! Why are you wearing my husband’s jacket?!” 


“It feels like he’s giving me a hug.” He makes no move to take it off. “Ted doesn't mind, do you?”


“I mind!” He gestures for it, his lips getting thinner and thinner. 


Blake pulls it tighter. “Ben wouldn’t, and since it's his, he can peel it off me.”


“Blake!” Michael shrieks, eyes bulging and veins popping in his neck.


“Michael!” He parrots back.


“For fuck sake, give me my husband’s coat!” He snarls.


“Make up your mind, is this his coat or jacket?” Blake smirks.


“Take it off!” He screeches, reaching for the collar, but Blake, snapping like a terrier, has him fearing for his fingers. “Ted, do something!”


“Mmmm, no. You’re the one who wants it. Besides, him misbehaving makes for fun times at home.”


“Give it back before he implodes.” Ems orders. Blake tries looking cute, but he’s unmoved. 


Sighing, Blake starts to unbutton it very slowly, eyes on Michael.


“Hurry up!” He froths, fists balled.


“Are you being a mime?” Justin drawls, returning with Brian, who sits down smirking. “Can you do it always, the silence is golden.”


Michael’s twitching at them being together is making Mel corpse, although because of her court-face and Michael’s Michaelness, he’s oblivious. However, Brian’s smirking is causing that to slip. 


“Justin! How lovely to see you!” Lindsay trills. Whatever reaction she or Michael are hoping for, they don’t get. In fact, she joins him being thin lipped when Justin slinks next to Brian, so he’s almost in his lap. “I'm so glad I caught you.”


“That makes one of us.” He returns coldly, she stops her scowl, just.


“And Ted, great to have you back in the fold.” She beams, which I don’t return.


“Recovered from your headache?” He asks. “Or did you drag yourself out of your sickbed to protect what's not, nor will ever be, yours?” 


“I don’t know what you mean. When Michael said you were back in town, I had to come.”


“Why? Want to find out what I’m doing so that you can send someone in to destroy my confidence with an assassination job like you did with Crasswell?” Gritting her teeth causes her head to shake. “Let me save you from screwing around to pull in a favour, allegedly. I’m not doing anything that you can destroy simply because you were jealous of my artistic ability and being prettier than you.”


“Don’t blame Lindz because you got big headed and were brought down to earth!” Michael fumes, all thoughts of coat forgotten as he leaps to defend his comrade in arms in the crusade to oust Justin from Brian’s life. “And I suppose it's my fault that your ambitions to do the comic came to naught?” He leans against the booth. “We introduced you to people who knew better than you, who had experience in your chosen fields. They make tiny suggestions and you flounce off in a sulk!”


“Who says they came to naught?” Ben makes Michael jump, as he comes back with beer. “Your, and I use the term loosely, friends did a hatchet on him but nobody else did. They recognised what you feared so assisted and nurtured.”


JUSTIN


I love Ben! He’s such a decent bloke who I’m determined to separate from Michael, much in the same way that Michael separated me from Brian. I can’t entirely blame him for the latter, I wasn’t strong enough to fight for him then, I am now. I look across at Mel, she watches Lindsay, who, of course, doesn't notice. Like Michael, she only sees me and Brian when I’m in his orbit.


That was the first time I met them, the morning after I met him. They came to the loft, both most put out when Brian said I could stay for breakfast. 


Start of flashback


WOODY’S - FIVE YEARS PRIOR


JUSTIN


“Christ, this might not have been the best idea!” I mutter, as I bat away another hand on my ass. “I’ll give it two more drinks, then I’m going.” I decide, finding a corner to watch the baccanale that is Woody’s. It's fascinating, I’m so glad that I didn’t let the harm and hatred of Hobbs and my ex-parents stop me from living my life. I’m proudly gay, and him bashing my brains in wasn’t going to change that.


“Well, hello, beautiful.” A burly bloke drawls. He smells of booze and looks revolting.


“Goodbye, ugly.” I return, sipping my drink. 


To my left, someone snickers, whilst he turns from friendly to feral. “I’m known around here, you’d best be nice to me.”


“Okay. Never met a man who wants syphilis and oral herpes, a refreshing change! Let's meet around the back and you can start sucking.” He frowns, trying to get his bog of a brain to compute. I drain my glass and take his hand, he looks panicked, so I lick it. “Ready?”


He wrenches free, wiping it on his side.“I don’t eat diseased chicken!” He seethes, but not loud enough for anyone else to hear.


“Pity, was looking forward to infecting you.” I retort. The snickering gets louder, but stops when the guy balls his fists and gets closer. “Back off.” I glower.


“I will snap you in half after I’m done with you.”


“Do that, and I snap that tiny cock of yours. He said back off.” My saviour’s arm pulls me close. By tightening his grip, he stops my quaking. “Hey, Bogmonster, look up here!”


Bogmonster does and gasps. “I didn’t know he was with you!” He stammers.


“Fuck off!” He orders. I almost collapse in relief when he hurries away. 


“Thank you.” I stammer, turning in his arms, I rest my head against his chest, breathing deep to calm down. “Let me buy you a drink.” I look up. “Holy goddamn!” I gasp, upon seeing his pure beauty. “I mean, a drink to say thank you.”


“I’ll take both.” He grins. “You stay here, I’ll get them, you like whisky?” I nod. “Make sure you can see me at all times.” I smile as keeping an eye on him wouldn’t be a problem! He’s barely got ten steps when Bogmonster comes back. “Leave Justin alone, you dickhead!” He roars, much to my surprise. How did he find out my name?! “Come on, Justin, let’s go. If you’re lucky and still here later, Bogmonster, I’ll tell you how his ass felt around my cock!” He stops by the bouncer. “He comes out, we’ll never fuck!” He growls. The bouncer nods and heads towards the bar.


Within two minutes we’re standing by a jeep. “You able to get home okay?”


“Sure, I’m in the Liberty Avenue Hotel. Shouldn’t take me long.” He opens the door whilst shaking his head. “What?”


“Get in, we’ll go to mine, at least until the wolves have fed elsewhere.” He nudges my elbow, I hold my ground. “I mean you no harm, unless you want me to.” I huff at his arrogance and take my seat. 


THE LOFT - AN HOUR LATER


“Heroic and beautiful.” I smile, taking the coffee. “And psychic.” He frowns. “I didn’t tell you my name, how’d you know it?”


“I read the news. You were a headliner almost two years ago. How are you now?” He sits opposite, sips and stares. “You don’t have to talk about it.”


“It’s fine and I'm fine. I was surprised, that's all, nobody asks anymore.” I keep the bitterness at bay. “Thanks. And who are you?”


“Brian. Brian Kinney.” He pauses, then relaxes a little. “So what are you going to do? Now that you’ve recuperated, to all intents and purposes.”


“Now that I've moved here, I’ve gone back to school. I’m going to Carnegie for general studies and PIFA for art.”


“Good. I mean what are you going to do about Hobbs? You can appeal it.”


“I am. Don’t care how long it takes, he’s going down for attempted murder. And I’m going after the school, the police department, everyone who let me down.”


“Good for you.” He declares, sitting closer. “Now then, what do you want to do?”


“Um, watch TV.” He raises an eyebrow. “I’ve barely watched any since the bashing, and The Yellow Submarine is on. It's my favourite movie. I was going after that drink to watch it.” I trail off embarrassed. He regards me for a few seconds. “I’m gonna go.” I drain my cup and stand, before kissing his forehead. 


“I really do appreciate what you did, but I’m not going to pay you in any kind.”


He touches my kiss. “Fair enough.” He makes no move to stop me leaving, but I still walk backwards. “Stop being a twot! I had you in my jeep for an hour. Wouldn’t then have been the ideal time to stake my claim on your precious virtue?”


I groan at my stupidity, then register what he said. “What makes you think I’ve got a precious virtue?!” 


“Because you do.” He replies. We stare at each other. “What channel?”


“NBC Classic.” I reply, retaking my seat.

 

End of flashback


We didn’t see much of the movie as we were making out for hours. And although we shared a bed, he accepted my refusal to be another notch on his bedpost. 


They hated my continual presence, though in Michael’s case it eased a bit when I introduced the group to Ben. He was the substitute teacher, and we became friends. Michael was as nice as pie until they got engaged, then he went back to being a chundertwat. I didn’t go to their wedding, as I would’ve objected. Brian didn’t want to go either, but a sense of duty made him. 


Lindsay was never a hag in front of anyone though, but it got worse when Brian helped me with parts of my cases, which is how he and Mel got closer, a common cause. Lindsay made sure she didn’t represent me, but like Brian, she helped, and in doing so, she saw he wasn’t the dastardly dickhead that she was encouraged to think. 


She and Emmett always laugh when Michael and Lindsay describe me as the trick that wouldn’t leave, because although we tricked together for a while, and made out a lot, we’ve never slept together.


“Excuse me, Ben, what do you mean?” Lindsay brings me out of my musings.


“I mean he didn’t flounce off in a sulk. He went to live out his dreams and aspirations. How many countries have you organised your clients to show in now?”


“Clients? Show?” Lindsay gurgles. “What do you mean Ben?”


“Can I help, Debs?” I ask as the kitchen door opens.


“Michael, now you can help since you’re nearer.” I know that tone from Ben. Michael doesn’t, although he does look confused by his change in tune. “That's not a problem, is it?” 


“No, of course not.” 


BEN


The smells coming from the kitchen mean that Lindsay's question is temporarily forgotten. Carl is an excellent cook. He's the one person, apart from Debs, whose food Brian eats without question. 


“The garlic ginger shrimp toasts need to be eaten hot!” Debs declares. 


Justin grabs two, putting them on Brian’s plate, then helping himself. “Is that Ahi tuna?” He gasps. Carl nods and smiles. “I’ve not had that in years, nobody comes close to how you do it! Give it here!” He pauses. “Oh, come on, duck and waffles, if there’s watermelon sorbet in brandy baskets, then Ems told you I was here!”


Carl puts it down with a chuckle. “Chef’s privilege.”


“Ooh you could’ve told me!” Debs shoves him, he shoves her back.


“You two are still not dating?!” Blake exclaims.


“No, they’re not! Why should they be?!” Michael fumes.


“Because she needs someone to play dominoes with.” Blake snipes. “Date already, you can double with me and Ted one night. We’ll make sure you almost behave.”


“To answer your question, Lindsay.” I interrupt Michael’s bellyaching. “In England, France, Germany, Italy and North America.” 


She stares at Justin, he meets her gaze before hers goes to Brian. “Did you know about this?”


“No. He's got a good eye and recognises talent. As I said to everyone he will be a flaming success. Well done, want to tell me about it over dinner?” Justin puts down the toast. “No, I meant just the two of us, then I can listen without interruption.” 


“Even better.” Justin grins, Michael fails to hide that grimace. However, Justin can, and will, destroy him without my help. “Want my tuna?”


“How rude! You just praised Carl’s cooking, why don’t you want it?!” Michael fumes.


“I’m not being rude, I want Brian’s duck, so am offering a trade.”


“Like the first time?” He murmurs, whatever that means it makes Justin blush. “One all.”


We eat in silence, well almost. As well as his sickening chewing I can hear Michael’s thoughts. He alternates filthy looks at Blake and Justin, judging by the look on the former's face, he’s got something he wants to say. So, I’ll give him an in.


“What have you been up to, Blake?”


Twitch-twitch-twitch goes my pesky husband fly.


“This and that, ducking and diving. Going to be helping Justin bring Rage, the Avenger to the Americans.”


All forks pause. Michael is like stone, whilst Brian gapes at Justin. “You did it?”


“Yep, I did it. It’s selling out all over Europe, they love it! And I also did one more thing?”


“What?” He wipes his hands then takes his phone. “You fucker! When?!”


“Take delivery in two weeks.”


“What? What is it?” Debs demands.


“A Mercedes 600 Grosser, my other dream car! Carl, I need a take out box for two! We’re going to discuss this now, young man! I can’t believe you got it first!”


“As if that Corvette isn’t yours!” He laughs as he gets up, there are indulgent smiles, from most quarters, as they fall back into their easy way with each other. In ten minutes, they’re gone, with Brian’s plea to be the first one to drive it, falling on deaf ears.


MICHAEL


It's his! Him of all people! I had heard of Rage, the Avenger, everyone in the comic world has. It coming to America is huge. It hurts to swallow, as I know that I’m going to have to be nice to Justin and Blake in order to get this in my store. It will be commercial suicide if I don’t!


LINDSAY


My head and heart pounds as there’s more than a grain of truth in how I got him destroyed, but his allegedly comments gives me a grain of comfort - just a grain.




Garlic Ginger Shrimp Toasts | What's for Dinner? (whatsfordinner.com)

Seared Ahi Tuna | The Recipe Critic

London Duck & Waffle with foie honey drizzle (eckitchensg.com)

Watermelon sorbet recipe - All recipes UK

Brandy Snap Basket | BBC Good Food

mercedes 600 grosser - Bing images

 

Past, Present and Future by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 4 - PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE


CORVETTE - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“Is it secure?” I scowl at his exasperated look. “It’s a new car, wait till you get yours!” I kill the engine, his stomach grumbles. “I can sit here all day and you know that.”


He scrunches his nose, then checks the box’s stability. “It’s secure.”


“Thank you.” As I pull out, I see Carl shake his head then shut the door. We’ve been driving for about half an hour, and the only sound is of me changing gears, he’s looking out the window. With a small frown, he turns to me. “I’ve moved. Loft’s still there, but I live outside of Pittsburgh.”


“Ah. I thought you were going the long way round like you did the first time we met.” He chuckles. “I’m pretty sure that their respective, though for how long is anyone’s guess, partners - or even Ted and Ems - have kept your besties in the diner.” 


“True.” I smile ruefully, we lapse back into silence, a comfortable one. We could sit for hours and not speak, it was one of the joys of being with him. Not having to listen to endless white, and needless human noise! As I open the gates, he gasps. “Had a tiny upgrade.”


“Wow, it’s beautiful.” He sighs. “How many rooms?”


“Six.” I reply, leading him inside. “Stables, tennis court, large pool with a jacuzzi, ten acres and a studio.”


“What do you need a studio for?”


“I don’t. Give me the food. Washroom down the hall and to the left. Cellar to the right.”


FIVE MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


“Vrede Pinot Noir, you have a case of perfectly chilled Vrede Pinot Noir!” I take two bottles to the kitchen, but he’s not there. “Where are you?!”


“Front room!” He waves a hand. When I join him, there’s no tuna, but there’s a pie. “Carl’s food will keep, this won’t.” 


“What won’t?” I ask, opening the wine.


“Fois Gras de Strasbourg.” I start to drool. I love fois gras - as long as it’s ethical - and truffle, this has both! “It was delivered yesterday. I was going to take it to celebrate our impending parenthood, but that’s on the back burner now.”


“Couldn’t pony up?” I tease.


“Take a look.” His tone stops me pouring so I start reading.


I pause after the fourth page. “Musty Dusty had this drawn up, didn’t she?” 


He looks surprised. “Yeah, how did you get that?”


“Same attorney that she and Lindsay wanted me to use, with my little artsy crafty habit.” He rolls his eyes and takes it away. “Who’s going to carry?” 


“I really want Mel to.” He hands me the wine. “But she needs to get her medical issues sorted out first.” He goes to clink glasses. “You going to take your duties very seriously when he or she arrives?”


“I promise.” I clink, he looks relieved. “Can I tell him?” 


“Yes. My kid gets the best godfather and only one.”


“What’s he done?”


“Later, okay? Let’s slice the pie. And you can tell me everything that you’ve been up to.”


For the next three hours I regale him with landing in London first and immediately being signed to a small but respectable gallery. Being still wary and wounded, I used my middle and late godmother’s maiden name so if I failed, at least they couldn’t gloat from afar. But everything mushroomed, first my painting, then Rage the Avenger, to which came about when I asked my agent what he thought of the chances. He immediately called Brett Keller and it was born.


“So what’s with the big house? Why move here?”


“I was going on an adventure, but that’s on the back burner too now?”


“Why?” I slice more pie, making sure they’re even.


“You came back before I could come and get you.” He watches me over his glass.


“You lied.” I take it from him and move the plates. “You lied to Lindsay.” He shrugs. “You knew about my art? Did you know about Rage?”


“No.” He looks thoughtful. “When you left, I got on with Kinnetic. A raging success by the way, left in the more than capable hands of Brandon.”


“Ben’s brother? Good choice.” I smile. “Glad you kept the name.”


“Why would I change it? Oh, you might want to say yes to any invites for dinner that Lindsay extends.”


“Like fuck!  I am not spending any more time with her than I need to!”


“Not even to see your Moonlit Dawn picture hanging above her mantle?” As I put the wine down, his grin widens. “A present, which I made her both wait and beg for.” 


BRIAN


I take advantage of his surprise and move closer. 


What I’m going to say next can go one of two ways. “Don’t get too skinny again, it doesn’t suit you.” 


His eyes fill, then he looks away, I let him compose himself. “Thought it was you.” He stares at my hands. “How many shows?” 


“Just the ones in Milan. You know how much I love Italy.” 


“Why not come and say hi?”


“I would’ve asked you to come home, but there wasn’t one for you to come back to then.” He entwines our fingers, stroking my palm. 


“I would’ve.” He whispers. “And there is, it’s just not ready yet.” I stroke his face, still unsure. “It has a state of the art gym.”


“Hmm, and where is it?” He smirks, then points to the back of the house, I stare at him. “We’re neighbours?”


“We are. At least when we fight, as when we do they’re spectacular, one of us can stomp away to cool off.” I tug his chin, we melt into each other. For a few minutes, we say and do nothing but sit. It feels good to have him back, back where he belongs. He shifts so he's resting his chin on my chest, looking up with those sky blues of his, then I notice it and try not to scowl. I tell myself to focus on the moment, so push the thoughts away, but they’re right there!


“For goodness sake, where’s the bathroom?”


“Thank you! Second door on the right, long cupboard, and bring a towel too!” Even though he’s walking away, affording me sight of the second thing I like about him, I know he’s either rolling his eyes or muttering about me being an anally retentive nerk! 


He settles opposite with the towel on his shoulders, his hair scraped back, well mostly. He hands me a comb. He keeps still whilst I even up his sideburns. “Perfect, just perfect.” I finger comb his hair back into place. He takes the scissors, then kisses my hand. “What are you going to do about the Ben situation?” 


“What do you mean? Somehow, Michael will say or do the right thing, for now, and Ben will stay.”


“After what Michael said, and the problems they’ve been having, he's failing to find reasons to. But you being back gives him a reason to leave. He’s healthy, and you’ve got that history with him.” 


JUSTIN


I scoot nearer. “How long have you known?”


“From the moment I met him. He’d look at you, then me, and smirk. Anytime we’d trick together, and you’d end up at mine, he would be a little too interested in the after party.”


“It was in the first week of school. I wanted to prove to myself that I could, he was willing, and I was still able. Another reason I went there was because he was supposed to be gone. Ben and I will never be. Ever. He accepts that, will you?”


“What happened?” His body feels like concrete, he’s dreading the answer.


I turn his face back and dead eye him. “He came to see me before I flew out. I said no. Never more than once. I stuck by that. Believe me and accept it is in the past?”


“Yeah, I stuck to that too.” I kiss his nose and get under his chin. “His needling digs about having your number pissed me off, so I fucked Brandon.”


“Before or after he started at Kinnetic?”


“After, of course, and in their lovely home.”


I snort with laughter. “Who was more annoyed?”


“About the same. Especially when I stayed for breakfast and he couldn’t sit properly. He's not as tight as I thought he would be for a top. Ben?”


“Same, but he has an extensive toy collection, most post diagnosis.”


“You and Blake are gonna make his life hell, aren’t you?”


“You mean Michael about Rage?” He nods. “Of course we are. He’ll never stock it.”


“And Lindsay?”


“Going to approach Sidney about bringing my, cough-cough, main client to do a show in his gallery.”


BRIAN


I pour his glass into mine. He picks up the papers and tosses them at the fire, they land dead centre. “I will also be dealing with her. She shat on me too, but that’s for later. For now, you light that and I’ll get the DVD.” 


“Yellow Submarine?”


“One Eyed Jacks.”


And as simple as that, we’re back in each other's lives. Now all we have to do is keep us there.

 

Buy Foie Gras En Croute Online London U.K. (finefoodspecialist.co.uk)

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

The Key to Change and Their Wingmen by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 5 - THE KEY TO CHANGE AND THEIR WINGMEN


DINER - AN HOUR LATER


CARL


I look up and down the street, still no sign. I’m just locking up. Debs and Ems are tidying away the dishes and writing the menu board respectively. 


“Think he’ll have recovered from the shock?” Ems wraps his arms around me, I kiss his  cheek. “Thank you for last weekend, it was great fun.”


“It was, wasn’t it.” I smile. “So when are we going to do it again?”


“I have one on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday!” He exclaims, stepping around to join in the checking. “What exactly am I looking for?” I chortle at his cute noisiness, which Michael should learn to cultivate. “So you can do all three?”


“Sure. As for what - there he is!” I hunker down and click my tongue. First he freezes, then chirrups before making his way across and inside. “Meet Cat. Been feeding him for weeks now, missed him yesterday.”


Cat slinks his way to Debs, winding himself around her legs. “Got a good mind not to bother!” She grouses, tickling behind his ears. “I’ll sort him out.” She smiles. Scooping him up, she heads to the kitchen.


“No is the answer to the shock question. He’ll most likely be camped outside the building, waiting for its immediate return.” I scowl at the possessiveness that the brat continues to show over Brian. “I did hear.” Ems kisses his teeth as he locks up. “But what made him say it?” 


“Didn’t Debs tell you what he said about fatherhood to Brian? Oh, actually, does she know what Ben said?”


“No, and not sure. Debs!” I bellow, she comes out carrying Cat. “Before they came to sit, Ben said that Michael had to fix things to and, unlike him, he wasn’t dreaming of fucking Brian before he’s even cold. What needs fixing?” As she tells me what Michael said, my blood boils. “So we're going to take Blake up on it and double up?”


“Of course we are. You know, I should be upset that you take Carl on your dates as a wingman instead of me.” Ems and I exchange looks. “But I would have you married in seconds, he at least gets the vibe off the guy and he’s never steered you wrong, has he?” 


“No, he’s not.” Ems kisses her cheek. “Thank you for not saying anything to anyone about it.”


“As for our date, I would rather double with Rodney and Vic. Or, even better, Brian and Justin!”


I get chills. “I’ll speak to Vic. Leave Brian and Justin to get back together alone.”


“Fine.” She pulls on her coat, we wait. “Dinner Sunday? Like old times.” 


“Not this weekend.” Ems is firm, and when he is, she listens.


“The following weekend then!” She pleads. “I think Brian’s going to be free since the three of them will not be talking babies. Dusty and Lindsay managing to get him so pissed off that he made Mel stay the night is next level.”


“What’s happened? Why does she listen to that wannabe u-hauler?!”


“Because she wants to make her, her pillow princess!” I grumble, they look surprised. “I know the terms and Mel got drunk enough to complain one day.”


“Hmm, I must tell Justin that.” Ems snickers. “Think he will have great fun running cliterference where that is concerned.”


“But he doesn’t like Lindsay for Mel. Nobody with any sense does.” I help him into his jacket, then lead them out back. “Why would he want them to stay together?” I crack the windows so that Cat can get out easily enough, not that he ever does. “Debs can tell you everything. Think he stayed with him?”


“Of course he did.” Debs smiles, then sighs. “I hope this doesn’t lead to another key campaign.”


“This is Michael, of course, it will!” Ems bitches.


MICHAEL AND BEN’S BACK GARDEN


MICHAEL


“You’re smoking. Why?” He asks as he joins me on the deck. I glare at him. “So you’re stressed about what exactly?”


“The weird and hurtful behaviour of my friend and husband.” I retort.


“Which friend is that? Don‘t tell me, Brian’s slipped down to mere mortal status because he took your key away?”


I grind the cigarette out. “He hasn't taken it away, I’ve loaned it. Don’t see why it should’ve been my key and not Ma’s, she could’ve gone and got hers. Why are they staying there, couldn’t they have booked a hotel?!”


“First, it’s his loft, and second, you don’t use it, unless you do and that’s why you're pissed. But third, which should really be first, where’s the fixing?”


BEN


“Fixing? Fixing what? Oh that, well I think we’re even on the butthurt stakes, don’t you?!” Sighing, I look down at my ring, it feels heavier every day. “Well, don’t you?!”


“Butthurt, that’s how you think I’m feeling? Ever since we've been together, I’ve always, always, said I wanted children.”


“You said when the time was right, now is not the right time!”


“Point of order, Mr Chairman, you said you don't want to be a single father. You said that HIV would kill me before the child reaches their teens, if not before then.”


“You said, whilst we’re quoting, that I want to be fucked by Brian, in front of Brian! Did you see his face, hear what he said? He was horrified!”


“You care more about his feelings than mine.” 


He looks to the sky. “How about we both apologise and move on, this is all a huge misunderstanding. You go first..”


“Yeah let’s do that.” I reply, he heads inside presumably to get comfortable, I enjoy his swift halt and turn. “Problem?”


“Why are your cases by the door?!” He sounds nervous, and I feel so great about that.


MICHAEL


“Ben? What’s going on?” He walks past and puts on his jacket.


“I’m going.” He states, searching his pockets.


“Where?! Why?! This is silly! Neither Brian nor I feel this way about each other. Come on!”


“Michael, I’m going to the teacher’s conference, remember?” My heart comes down from my mouth and I almost run to embrace him. “I’m not going to leave you over something like that.”


“Oh thank goodness!” I babble. “A week you said? Okay. Will you call me when you get there? Where is it again?”


“Sure. It’s at Big Sur. Why not spend some time with Brandon? Don't think you two haven’t hung out in a while. He always says how much he loves speaking with you.” Although the very idea fills me with annoyance, I nod. “Are you sure you’re calm and fine now?” 


“Yeah, just with everything I had a flip out.”


“I’ll see you next Saturday, I’ve gotta go. Remember tol text Brandon to let him know you wanna hang out. Okay?”


“Yeah, I will.” We kiss goodbye and I watch him walk up the street, feeling even calmer when he looks back before turning the corner. I flop on the sofa and think about what happened, but we’re fine, like I knew we would be. Just as I reach for the remote a text comes through from Brandon, he's looking forward to catching up. I almost throw my phone across the room. 


“Why the fuck did he text him now?! The last thing I want to do is hang around Brian’s recent trick! It was bad enough hearing them go at it and in our house! But he just has to tell me all about it every fucking time we speak!”


MEL AND LINDSAY'S LOUNGE - TEN MINUTES LATER


MEL


I open the wine Brian insisted I take, and reach for my phone. I reread the text from Ted about the loft. Blake had called Justin after we’d gone, so we missed Michael’s hysterical reaction to Brian’s text telling him to lend them his key. As he did with Lindsay, Carl stood over him until he gave it up. 


“Where’d you get that?” Linsday startles me a bit, not because of her stealth, as she's about as graceful as a horny rhino. It’s because she's finally talking, having been sitting in the kitchen in silence since we got home.


“Brian gave it to me.”


LINDSAY


“He looked well.” I remark as she pours her wine. “Justin, I mean, he looked well.”


“He does.” Her phone beeps, she smiles before putting it face down, and swirling the glass. “Although I should imagine he sorted out his sideburns immediately.” 


“His sideburns? Whatever is wrong with them?” I drawl.


“They were uneven, which is why Brian was staring. Amongst other things. He’s looking better than well. Brian’s not the only view that’s gotten better over time.”


I stiffen. “Are you turning? Should I be worried?” 


“Should I be?” She counters.


“No, of course not! You never have had to worry!”


“Well there’s your answer too.” She leans her head back and closes her eyes. I take that opportunity to check the wine. “It will be interesting to see Justin’s reaction to it.”


“To what?”


She smiles. “The masterpiece you two cocked up. He will ask his opinion on it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was being used for kindling right now.” 


“What will our child have to do with Justin?” I demand.


“Everything. He will be in his or her life as much as Brian is. Not financially, at first, as Brian will try and fight him on that, but, as with everything else, he’ll share the kid.”


“No. This is our child. Yours, mine, and Brian’s. Justin will have nothing to do with it!” 


She reaches for her glass. “Going to put that in writing, are we? If so, please remember my cocked up statement.” Once more, she takes wine out of my reach. “You were on beer, unwise to mix the two.”


“Mel, I don’t like this watchful behaviour you have. I’m an adult and more than capable of monitoring my own consumption.”


“You’ve got to pick up your car, or is Dusty doing that for you? Advise against, because Carl won’t let that happen. He knows you were on Vicodin and wine. Rather foolish for you to be drinking beer in front of him, wasn’t it? I wouldn't be surprised if he made sure you were breathalysed.”


“He overstepped his remit! He's no longer a serving officer.” I snipe, she cuts her eye and scoffs. “Back to Justin being around. I do worry about his undue influence on Brian.”


“He doesn’t have any influence on Brian. Nobody does, despite your assertions and pipe dreams. He said he wants to do it, so he’ll do it. He doesn’t want to with those terms, which he said before he knew Justin was back.”


“Alright I concede. Maybe some of the terms and penalties are a little stiff, but we need to ensure the future of our child.”


“No rights, no money.” She retorts. “And no Dusty. This has nothing to do with her.”


“She’s going to be the child’s godmother, we’re not reneging on that!”


“Reneging is her thing, not mine. However, her responsibilities start when we’re gone, not before the insemination!” She snarls. “Get her, as Carl would say, contained. Justin doesn’t like you and Michael. For Brian’s peace of mind, he has to be kind of nice. Dusty, who he also dislikes, only has you, in her corner. He’s come back to reclaim his man, and woe betide anyone that gets in his way or makes his man unhappy.” 


“What are you trying to say?” I yawn. “In simple terms, I’m going to bed in a second.”


“To paraphrase your Dusty, Brian is the hill that Justin is prepared to die on. It was one of her vows, and look what she’s done since then. I’ll sleep down here, as I am going to watch a movie.” She turns on the TV. “Goodnight.”


MEL


I listen for the bathroom door to shut and grab my phone. Giggling, I send a text to Brian, telling him to get Ted or Blake to wait for a locksmith, then give Michael his key back when he asks. Naturally, he panics when I say that, as Michael having the loft key stopped him from asking for a key to the house. I reassure him once he gets his key back he will be fine. As he knows better than to try and use it when Brian’s not there, ergo, he will never know that the locks have been changed. Their response is a picture of the two of them blowing me kisses in a heart frame!


“You’re welcome boys!” I grin then settle down to the movie.

 

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

Loft Keys and Lost Keys by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 6 - LOFT KEYS AND LOST KEYS


DEBS HOUSE - A WEEK LATER


LOUNGE


DEBS


“Seriously, one more accursed flapping call from him trying to hunt down his best friend, I will make sure the line ends with him!” Ems declares as he enters and puts his phone in the flour tin. “I mean it, as happy as I am that they’re doing what they’re doing, I never realised how much Michael called Brian!”


“What do you mean?” I demand, taking it out of the tin, placing it in a ziploc bag and putting it back.


“Brian isn’t answering his phone.” He starts to take the roaster out and switches the oven on. I frown. “Justin’s cooking dinner, a special meal, remember?” I slap my forehead and put the meatloaf back in the fridge. “Though not sure what, just said to make sure that you had a roaster, and I had - dammit, they're in the car! This is what your son does, can’t wait for Ben to come back! Two minutes!”


I know it’s frustrating for Ems, but I can't help being amused by what’s happened since dinner, which has involved Michael bratting from pillar to post all week, not only because Ted and Blake, especially Blake, been staying in the loft, but also, Brandon, his brother in law from hell decided to stay with him whilst Ben was away. He’s been partying all the hours that God sends - twice he has brought his tricks back. When he complained, Brandon said he cleared it with Ben first! 


The front door is almost kicked open as the brat arrives with an equally sulky looking Lindsay. Mel, however, looks ebullient. “Hey, Debs, how are you doing? I was told to bring this ahead of Brian’s arrival.” She puts a bag from a high end liquor store on the table. 


“You’ve spoken to Brian?!” Lindsay glares, as does Michael. “You never said. You knew we had things to discuss!”


“I spoke to Justin.” She returns. “Need anything doing, Debs?”


“Yes, you can help me with the table.” 


“She’ll be with you in a sec, Ma.” Michael declares before turning his brattiness to Mel. “Is that who you were speaking to when I was over for dinner? Why didn’t you let me speak to him?!”


“Or me?!” Lindsay clamours.


“Why didn’t you ask?” Mel retorts. 


“We didn’t know you were speaking to him. If we’d known, we’d have asked, wouldn’t we, Michael?!”


“Of course, why don’t you think of other people’s wants and needs, Mel?!” 


“You’re so selfish sometimes.” Lindsay gripes.


“Why didn’t you call Justin?” I interject for two reasons: one, to irritate the irritants, and two, to stop Mel from lamping them. “I mean, his number’s not changed, has it, Mel?”


“Nope. Why not do it now, since it’s oh so urgent?”


“We didn’t want to speak to Justin!” Lindsay’s reaching sonic boom level. “We need to speak to Brian?!” 


“What about?” The man of their dreams saunters in, although he is Justin-less, which I noticed they check and look relieved about. “I had family stuff to deal with, so couldn’t talk.”


“Family?” I worry as he’s confided in me that he’s concerned about his nephews. Seems that his parents and sister are having acceptance problems with Peter’s hopes and dreams. “Need me to help?”


“What do you think we’re for, Debs?” Lindsay grouses. “Why didn’t you call us, you shouldn't have had to deal with them alone.”


“He wasn’t alone.” Ben declares as he comes in with Ems. “He had the person he needed.”


“Ben?! Why were you with Brian?!” Michael hectors. “You should’ve called me, I could’ve given another perspective on whatever the problem was. Which was what, Brian?”


Brian stares ahead for a few seconds. “Why would Ben have been with me?”


“I’ve no idea!” Ems scowls. “Obviously, Ben was talking about Justin. And he’s on the phone, in case you were hoping. Oh, sorry, I mean wondering where he is.”


Before they can respond, Justin comes in, well his head does. “You okay, Stud?” Brian smiles and nods. “Good, um, Debs you got a second?” I nod and follow him, passing Blake and Ted on the way, carrying shopping bags.


BEN


He’s conflicted, so conflicted. He wants to find out what’s happened with Brian and what Debs and Justin are talking about. Which to choose, which to choose?! 


“Aren’t you going to say hello?” Brian drawls, checking out the liquor bag. “Ah, perfect. How much do I owe you, Mel?”


“Not a cent. You know what you’re doing to mix them?”


“Hmm, they’re so good!” He grins. “We even managed to do a booze free equivalent, got the T&B stamp of approval.” 


“How can I say hello if you keep talking to other people?” Michael grumbles as he approaches.


“He means to Ben, you know, your husband.” Blake chirrups. “Or would you like me to do that for you, nobody will mind.”


“I mind! You’re so disrespectful and always have been!”


“No need to get into a rage, I was just teasing.” 


MICHAEL


“Oh, haha.” I paste a smile on, whilst getting between him and Ben. “How have you been, babe, was the conference good?”


“It was. How was your week? Busy? Did you open the store much?” 


“I did inventory in the mornings, so opened in the afternoons.” 


“In other words, no.” Brian laughs, others join him, I’m not amongst them. “Is my loft still pristine, Schmidt?”


“Yes, are you going to be there much longer?” I ask just as Ma and Justin come in, with Carl. 


“Absolutely perfect. Unlike some, we're not ones for leaving a mess all over the place.” Blake looks me up and down as he says this. “Do you remember that time, Justin, when Brian made Michael clean up after he stayed? Now how did Brian describe it? Without my fucking permission, like you were setting up fucking home, do you have any fucking idea, how fucking fucked off I am, give me your key, you don’t get it back until we feel you deserve it.”


“Yeah, I remember.” Justin smirks as he puts things down. “You and Lindsay were so supernice, a refreshing change.”


“Lindsay, what did she have to do with this?” Mel frowns, whilst Lindsay goes a bit red.


“I took hers as well.” Brian replies. “He would’ve persuaded her to let him in. She’s folded before.”


“It was just once!” Lindsay protests.


“Which was obviously once too many!” Mel snaps. I glare at Justin for dumping us in it. “Give yours to Brian, Lindsay, just until Blake and Ted move out. You can both have them back after that right, Brian?”


“Absolutely.” Brian smiles. “I promise. You got it back the last time, no problem.” He holds out his hand, we’re both furious as she hands it over. “There you go, Blake, you’ve got a key, so you can come and go as you please without having to rely on Ted.”


LINDSAY


“Right, let’s get this stuff cooked, what is it?” Carl asks, opening boxes. “And get some drinks sorted out to occupy some tongues that need to remain still.”


“Nicely done!” Emmett crows, whilst tying an apron around Justin’s waist. “Make mine a large please!” 


“Let me help you with the drinks, whilst you tell me what’s happening with your family, Brian.” Michael starts to take the drinks out. “What the hell is this? Sake? What is sake?”


“It’s Japanese wine.” Ted answers as he pulls out more bottles. “Who’s on booze free?”


“Where's the beer?” “Me please.” Michael and Ben speak at the same time.


“No beer. Japanese themed food. As for what, chicken wings, duck and watermelon noodle salad and seaweed salad.”


“That sounds too weird!” Michael declares, heading to the fridge. “Ma, do the meatloaf!” He orders, taking it out.


The change in Brian is instant. “Put that back! This is Justin’s day, if you don’t like what’s on offer, go home and eat!” 


“Thanks Stud. So, Michael, what are you gonna do, expand your palette or exit stage left?” All eyes bore into Michael’s bright red, pinched and thin lipped face. He puts it back. “Pity, okay, Brian, Ted, Blake, you’re on drinks. Carl, me and Ems are on food. Debs and Mel are in charge of the remote.”


“The remote? What remote?” I ask although I know what’s coming.


“TV. You and Michael are going to watch. There’s no room for you here.” He replies. With a smile, Debs propels Michael away from Brian, whilst Mel glowers until I follow.


DEBS


It’s been a couple of hours. Mel and I have exchanged many amused looks at the twisting, twitching and fidgeting that those two are doing at the sounds coming from the kitchen. Three times we’ve heard Justin attempt to stop Brian from tasting, twice slaps were administered. Finally, Ben said he would hold the bowl and dared Brian to try and nibble. Michael was frothing when Blake insisted that he taste instead. Him moaning and groaning had Ems asking if Ted had ever made him make that noise. 


“We don’t need to know the answer to that!” Michael grumbles.


“Most definitely not!” Lindsay snipes, before clearing her throat. “Well I don’t know about you all, I’d like another drink. Are we allowed to go and get it? Just asking because it seems to like their decorum, we’ve been forgotten.”


“It’s ready!” Ems calls out. “Come sit, come sit!” As we gather around, the sight and smells are gorgeous. “We have placemats!” Ems trills. I can’t look at him as Carl and I are seated next to each other, everyone is seated by couples, but with Mel next to Brian and Ben next to Justin. “Everyone start! Now, Benjamin, you have to taste to see if you can tell the difference.”


He takes a sip from Ems’s glass, then his, before sipping from Ems’s again. “I can’t. The only way would be in the morning, if you had a shedload I guess.” 


“What do you mean to babe?” Michael’s sycophancy curdles my stomach. 


“His has booze, mine, Ted and Blake’s doesn’t.”


“I know right, T&B approved indeed!” Ems grins. “Now, you are to have these two big bits!” He puts two wings on his plate. “I’ll bet you didn’t have a home cooked meal or you ate expensively.”


“True on both counts. Thanks, Ems.” 


“Emmett, what do you mean, T&B approved?” Michael frowns.


JUSTIN


I hide my smile in my glass as Brian strokes my thigh. He squeezes, and I know it's because he’s so happy. So damn happy that because of Mel, the loft will never be invaded by those two again. And now to twist the knife!


“T&B are Ted and Blake. When we had dinner with them during the week, we had these and made them booze free.” Brian squeeze turns into a grip, however I know what I’m doing. And I’m going to enjoy everything that happens from this point onwards. “And speaking of lofts, here’s the one to mine.” I hand Brian the key, his face says joy, his eyes scream panic!


“You bought a loft?!” Michael’s eyes light up, I can hear the cogs turning in both their brains, they shoot each other sly smiles. “So can your best friends in T&B, move in there then?”


“They can, gonna be a bitch of a commute though.” 


Their smiles and mental creaming pauses. “What do you mean?” Lindsay caws.


“Well, Ted is going to be working alongside Blake and I in bringing Rage the Avenger here, and considering we're renting office space from Kinnetic, it's gonna be a long way to come from Kyoto.”


Slowly Brian turns to me. “Kyoto? As in Japan?” 


“Yep, just in case you needed more persuasion, I bought it.”


“It? What do you mean by Japan? As usual, you’re confusing us!” Michael starts to explode, but a look from Ben kills that right off.


“Is it furnished?” He’s just staring at the key.


“No, thought you could do that.” I grin. It starts to falter when he still doesn’t seem to be reacting quite the way I’d hoped.


“No, not gonna happen.” My heart stops, then flutters as he grins. “We are going to decorate it. When do we fly out?”


“Whenever you book the tickets.” I beam at him, then turn to them. “When Brian and I went to Japan, we stayed in this beautiful lodge. He said that he'd buy a place there, beat him to it.”


“First the car, now this!” Ems laughs. “You is catching him up in the ostentatious stakes, Justy.” He then turns to Ted and Blake. “So, where do you fit in for Rage?”


“I’m the co-writer, and Ted’s our accountant.” Blake grins, it widens at Michael’s expression. “And we have something to show you all.” He gets up and gives each one a package. “It's the next issue. These are the only ones in the US right now!”


MICHAEL


I look around the table, nobody’s opened theirs. I’m dying too, but can’t be too keen. It is quite weighty, all packaging no doubt. I can’t believe that Blake co-writes this, but knowing him the way I do, he’s most likely only doing the little words! 


“Okay, let’s see here.” Emmett declares, opening his. Whilst I’m relieved that he has, I’m so jealous when I see it. “Wow, Justy, this looks incredible! Is this a book, and leather bound?”


“Yes, it comes out bi-monthly. $50 an issue, may seem a lot, but you get everything else, and of course, they’re collectors items.” 


“What else is in there, Ems?” I demand, putting mine on my lap. I can’t wait to get it home and examine it properly. I suppose he does have a good eye and some talent, but, as they say, the devil is in the detail, and the details have been scarce, to say the least, as they don’t put it online, the fools, no business smarts at all!


“Why don’t you open yours and find out?” Carl asks.


“His is already open.” I reply coolly, then nod encouragingly. “Come on, Ems.”


“Michael, why have you put that on your lap?” Ted questions. “It's not for you to keep.”


“I’ll buy it off you. How much did you say it was, $50? Ben! What are you doing?!” I growl as he hands mine back to Justin. 


“Thanks, Ben.” Justin has the nerve to kiss his cheek. “As for what he’s doing, he’s returning something that’s not available in the States at all. We’re very protective of this baby, which leads me neatly onto the fact that we need an attorney. So, Mel, can you help us? Oh, wait, when are we going to Japan?” He looks at Brian, who is slowly flicking the pages, looking, annoyingly, very impressed. “Brian? Japan?”


“Oh, sorry. When there’s a break in your schedules. It will be there when we’re ready. So what do you say, Mel, want to rep for them?”


“When did you two go to Japan, I don’t remember you saying anything about this, do you, Michael?” Lindsay demands. I shake my head whilst glowering at Ben, who looks unbothered. “As for an attorney, Mel’s too close to you three. Let Loretta look at the paperwork.”


“Absolutely not!” Blake exclaims. “Dusty’s cocksucker of an attorney is not getting anywhere near our baby! We want somebody who will respect client attorney confidentiality. She’ll tell Dusty, and Dusty will tell you, then you will tell Michael.”


“None of that would happen!” Lindsay declares. “She’s not like that!” 


“Sunshine?” Brian is staring at a page, he looks at Justin. “Rage looks vaguely familiar, as does JT. Coincidence?”


“Deliberate, I had to pick inspiration from somewhere.” He leans closer. “Page 26 may also look familiar.”


He turns to the page. “Michael’s room Now.”


“What do you mean my room?!” I shout at them as they dash up the stairs. Nobody moves or speaks. It’s when a door slams that I’m spurred into action. “Absolutely fucking not!” I scream leaping out of my seat, but Ben pulls me back down.”What are you doing?!”


“They’re not going to do anything apart from maybe make out a bit!”


“Yeah, Michael, chill. They won’t cross that line!” Blake scoffs.


MICHAEL’S BEDROOM


JUSTIN


“You’re not mad are you?” I search his face, he shakes his head. “I knew he would try and keep it, I just knew it!”


“But at least he offered to buy it, as opposed to just sneaking it away.”


“Only because people were around him!” I fume. 


“Sunshine.” Him pulling me close immediately calms me down. “So what were you talking to Debs about?” I start to grin, he sighs, then chuckles. “Ah, you were poking his nosey bear?” I nuzzle his throat. “Want to send him insane?” I raise an eyebrow. “His bed squeaks.”






Seaweed Salad Recipe - Japan Centre

Tebasaki Recipe - Japanese Fried Chicken (norecipes.com)

Duck & watermelon noodle salad recipe | BBC Good Food

Soul reviver cocktail recipe | BBC Good Food 

 

End Notes:

Please, if reviewing, be kind and constructive. Thx

Squeaking and Stirring Leads to Sleeping by MissMerlot

 

 

CHAPTER 7 - SQUEAKING AND STIRRING LEADS TO SLEEPING

 

DINING ROOM

 

LINDSAY

 

"Where have you gotten this idea about Loretta from, Blake?" 

 

"From the toilet paper, she wanted Justin to sign."

 

"He had no right to show that to you." Michael declares. "Besides, I thought it was really reasonable. As usual, he wanted more than he deserved."

 

"Exactly." I return, reaching for the cocktail jug. "Which one is this?"

 

"What do you mean, Michael?" Ben frowns, handing me the other jug. "This one's boozy. Michael, explain the reason to me?"

 

"What's there to explain?" He frowns, holding his glass up for refilling, I wink and pour, sadly not able to empty the jug.

 

"I think he means, how do you both know the contents?" Mel bitches, again. "Why would she risk her licence on something so silly? Jesus, once Justin finds out he will gun for her!"

 

"I never said that she showed it to me, she knows better than that. I found it at home, called Lindsay, we read it together." 

 

"You read it where?!" Ben snarls.

 

He frowns at him. "At home. What's the big deal?"

 

"What's the big deal?! Once more, your - no, no. I'll let him sort you out." He pours the remains of the boozy cocktail into his glass.

 

"Why have you swapped drinks?" Michael scowls, having been drinking quickly. 

 

"What's the big deal?" He returns coldly. "Is there anymore, Carl? Wonder what they're doing up there?"

 

MICHAEL'S ROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

I lick his palm, the taste, like his smell, calms me down. I slowly peel his hand away. Whilst a door was slammed, it wasn't this one.

 

"He might be staying here tonight!" Brian fumes. "If Ben has any sense anyway."

 

"Are they really having that many problems? He's never said that."

 

"After you refused to be his best man, do you think he would? You have a particular way of saying, I told you so." I roll my eyes; he knows the reason. My age-old wound begins to open, he holds my chin. "Why not let me tell Michael you figured out he was coming in when I wasn't there?"

 

I pull myself free. "Because he had to see that you would get mad. But no matter what he did, or who he did it to, you wouldn't!" 

 

He sighs. "You're right. I'm very sorry that I allowed them, especially him, to rule over you like that." He takes advantage of my jaw drop to kiss me. It's our first since I returned, not because he's horny, but because he's sorry! 

 

Brian has never apologised, except, as was oft said, to very special people. The times Michael would tell me when Brian said sorry for this, Brian said sorry for that were too numerous to count. When, during one of our last blow-ups, I found out, again, he lied, I was too hurt and tired of fighting to care.

 

As the kiss deepens, I pull him closer. He moans in relief. Gently, we separate, licking our lips. "Forgive me?"

 

"Yeah." I nuzzle his throat. "Shall we go down?"

 

"Absolutely." He declares, starting to kick off his shoes, gesturing I should do the same. "Quick! The last person to be on that bed was Michael, after a row with Ben in Woody's. He was so pissed when Ben didn't ask where he stayed."

 

"I'll bet, but who else would take him in when he's behaving like a wounded martyr?"

 

He pauses. "That's exactly what Ben said. Anyway, your shoes are Gucci. Debs never touches anything in here, especially the sheets, so fuck knows when they were last changed." 

 

"As are my socks. I'm not the Barefoot Contessa! Think of something!" I say, glowering at his cheeky smile.

 

"Wait a second." He heads to the chest of drawers and pulls out two pairs of bed socks. "I'm sure she won't mind us using them to piss off her son!" 

 

Giggling, I put them on, then take his hand. "Okay, Stud, let's make some noise."

 

BEN

 

"Was that a squeak?" I frown. "Yep, definitely a squeak."

 

"I need the bathroom!" Michael declares, but Blake sprints past him. "Use the one down here!" 

 

"Can't!" He shouts, as is gone.

 

"Are you going then?" I prompt. 

 

Gritting his teeth, he sits down. 

 

"You're not peeing at the table!" Debs exclaims, her advance gives him no choice but to go relieve himself, cough-cough! "Think it will be the quickest piss on record!"

 

"In a john, yes, Justin off, no." Ted drawls. Sure enough, Michael's out in less than a minute, doing up his zip.

 

"Gotta get paper and a clean towel." He calls, dramatically shaking his hands.

 

"First time ever!" Debs drawls. 

 

"Stop behaving like a flag-waver. Besides, Blake's still up there!" I point out, he pauses. "In the bathroom where both those items are kept. When he's finished, we'll get him to bring them down. Come and eat, your food is getting cold." He pigeon steps back to us. "So, Ted, can you tell us anything else about how you're going to get Rage to these shores?"

 

"Shouldn't we wait for Justin? Apparently, it's his business too." Lindsey growls, watching the stairs.

 

"There's no apparently." Ted covers up their plates. "Apologies Ben, I don't feel comfortable talking about Rage with those two present." He takes their plates and heads to the kitchen, then to the foot of the stairs. "Take your time, boys, the food's in the oven!" He yells. "Blake! Michael needs you to bring down some toilet rolls and a fresh towel - he's used the last of both!" He tops up his and Blake's glasses and resumes eating. 

 

"Until they're finished, what shall we talk about?" Blake asks, coming down with the items, which he puts in Michael's lap.

 

"For God's sake, what's wrong with you?! Put them in the john!"

 

"After you've been in there, no way!" Blake declares, retaking his seat. 

 

"Michael, you wanted them so bad, put them away!" Debs orders, her glare making him get up. "What two?" She looks at Ted, who frowns. "Which two make you uncomfortable?"

 

"Michael and Lindsay?" Carl replies, Ted nods, whilst Lindsay tries to look confused. I catch Michael's brief look of triumph, before stalking to the bathroom. "How do you two put up with them?" 

 

"I ask myself that every day." Ted returns. 

 

DEBS

 

"Well, I wouldn't. They're given far too much leeway." Carl sighs, as Michael and Brian come back at the same time. "I'll get your food, Brian, will Justin be very long?"

 

"Thanks. No, no he won't. Leave mine, I'm no longer hungry." Brian smirks. "Debs, you got a box I can use for mine?" I smile and nod as Justin plops onto his chair. When Brian picks his teeth, Michael grimaces and Lindsay shudders. "You wanna go? Forgot how tired you get after I have my protein shake."

 

Michael almost snaps his fork, air whistles through Lindsey's nose. I'm struggling to remain po-faced.

 

Justin rubs his eyes then slaps his cheeks. "You'd think I'd remember how you make me feel after. It's okay, Stud, I'll be fine once I've eaten."

 

"Which is what I said." Brian snickers.

 

Michael gurgles, Lindsay grinds her jaw, as for Mel, she is smiling. "Carl, let me get the food, you've done enough. Would coffee help, Justin? You know, put a bit more pep in your step?" She laughs.

 

"Hmm. Please." He leans against Brian, closing his eyes. 

 

Brian's chair scrapes loudly, and he pats his lap. "Put your head here instead. We'll wait for the food and coffee. Take a quick nap, Sunshine."

 

Michael side-eyes me, I ignore him.

 

"Was it all you remembered?" Ems asks, sniggering as Justin disappears. 

 

"And more," Brian replies, making a show of stroking Justin's hair.

 

"Helping him to sleep?" Ben smiles at Brian then peers at Justin.

 

"Yep. Can you get my jacket, please, Mel?"

 

"Now it's Ben's turn to explain, don't you think, Michael?" Lindsay simpers. As usual, stoking the fire. "That's such an intimate thing, how do you know about it?"

 

BRIAN

 

I risk a glance. His sunshine smile beams up at me. He muttered and stroked my hair as he lay down, now he's mouthing, I knew she would say something!

 

"Well, Ben, care to explain?" Michael snipes, slamming his glass down.

 

"Very simple." He takes his time wiping his mouth, both protagonists are on tenterhooks, one smiling assassin, the other smouldering asswipe. "He's been like that since I've known him."

 

"Define known?" Michael seethes.

 

Ben shrugs, before leaning across again "He's out." Whatever Michael is about to spout is cut off by Ben's phone. "Hey, Brandon, are you having fun?!"

 

He smiles and chuckles for a good ten minutes whilst Michael is almost combusting, and Lindsay, who thinks that Ben and I don't know she doesn't like either him or Brandon, looks disapproving. 

 

"Okay, see you in the morning. Play nicely, boys!"

 

"What do you mean, play nice boys?!" Lindsay exclaims. "You're not letting him have people around again?!"

 

"First, he's my brother." Ben retorts. "And second..."

 

"There is no second! Brandon staying is one thing, him screwing in our home is another!" Michael fumes. "Call him back and tell him no! And how fucking dare you give him permission before?!"

 

"This is what I mean, Michael, the disrespect he and his brother have for you. I would never, ever do that to Mel. Allowing him to sully your home with such sluttery." 

 

Ben's laugh is bitter. "First, is that another Dusty-inspired malapropism? And you two are fine ones to talk about disrespect. You know full damn well that Brandon would never ever ask that."

 

"But, but he brought someone back, and he did say that. He said that you said he could!" Michael babbles, Lindsay quails under Mel's glare. 

 

"I can vouch for Michael on that." Emmett declares. "Brandon did bring someone back twice."

 

"See what I mean!" Lindsay's relief floods over her.

 

"And that was me." Emmett rails. "We didn't fuck. However, you'll never know what we did!"

 

"As is your right, Ems, and aren't you being a hypocrite, Michael, since you were more than fine with Brandon screwing in our home, especially when it was Brian doing the screwing? I heard you two on the phone earlier, conniving and conspiring a way to casually drop the bomb that Brian and Brandon fucked in the backroom, and I quote, if he assumes that we mean Babylon, then that's his choice."

 

"Why do you two get involved in things that either don't concern you or try to meddle in jealousy?!" Ted roars. "First you run Justin off, then you scare Blake away by bringing up my past. Thank God for Justin!"

 

Justin takes my hand; I push my anger back down. I wondered why they had abruptly split, but he wouldn't tell me.

 

"Thank God for - oh, did he get you two back together?" Emmett sniffs. He beams when Ted nods, and I feel so proud at how much stronger he's gotten in the intervening years. "So, Michael and Lindsay, how are you going to apologise to them?" Their silence and shifting speak volumes. "Anybody got any ideas?" He looks around the table.

 

"Yes, I do." Debs declares. "Apology notes, as in you two are going to write them."

 

There it is again, that quick flash of petulance/hatred/jealousy/insert crappiness here, before their agreeableness kicks in. "Sure, Lindz, let's go to see Dusty and she can help too!"

 

"She's on a date, remember? You set it up, Lindz dear!" Mel snipes, before a sly smile wreathes her face. "Brian, wake Justin up. Blake and Ted, you take them for a livener. Shoot some pool, the breeze, or whatever." Mel starts to shoo us from the table. "The rest of us will stay here and help, since you're so keen for assistance." 

 

"Excellent idea, let me put the coffee on. Ben, can you help Debs clear?" Emmett asks, he nods. "And, Carl, you grab pen and paper, only handwritten will do for an apology of such magnitude. They will give them separately, at times that Blake and Ted decide." He glares them back into their seats. "Get comfortable, as you're not leaving until we all are happy with what you've written!"

 

Once Again They Cause a Problem by MissMerlot

 

 

CHAPTER 8 - ONCE AGAIN THEY CAUSE A PROBLEM

 

WOODY'S - TWO HOURS LATER

 

BRIAN

 

Blake and Ted went back to the loft to have angry sex - Michael and Lindsay do have a use after all! 

 

Justin is racking them up for another frame, I can't look at him because I will laugh at his pouting. He's never been a good loser. "You didn't practice over the years?"

 

"No." He grumbles, scowling at his dropped cue. "Beer?" He asks, tossing it on the table, I pull him to me, he sighs. "Babylon?"

 

"Let's go to yours." I close his mouth. "Please, can we?" He nods. "Lead on."

 

JUSTIN'S BACK GARDEN

 

JUSTIN

 

I switch on the lights, and he stares at the back of his house. "You gonna make a path to my back door?" 

 

"Meet you in the middle?" I call over my shoulder. He takes a few seconds to follow. I point at the ground. "Which is right here." He regards me for a while, then smiles. "Dark green wrought iron so it can blend into the foliage, which I know you're going to insist on." He frowns. "Brian, I know you, you'll want a fence."

 

"That you do." He smiles before pulling out his phone. I snort. "Okay, the light can't go down too far, but I could get a rough idea."

 

"Or you could ask if you can look at the plans," I suggest.

 

In answer, he strides to the house, just about stopping himself from telling me to stop dawdling. "We'll just grab them and go back to mine, yours has no heating."

 

"Okay." As I join him, he digs in his pocket, taking out keys. 

 

"For my back door." He goes to his car. "Gonna warm the place up!"

 

"But how will you get in?!" I shout.

 

"I've got my own, you twat!" He laughs as he disappears from view. 

 

It takes five minutes for me to open my door as I'm happy-crying.

 

HALF AN HOUR LATER

 

BRIAN

 

He's staring at the door to his studio. 

 

"Open it," I order. "Justin, open it." He takes another minute or so, the next sound is his sniffing as he looks around. "I only got the easel, it's similar to the one you used in Italy."

 

"Exactly the same." I shrug.

 

"The lighting must be incredible the first thing." He opens the window, inhaling deeply. 

 

"Until late evening. It's always bright and cool. The maximum temp it gets to be, is 64F."

 

"Brian!" He's checking out his smocks, socks, and slippers in the wardrobe with a widening grin. "Why's your dressing gown in here?" He sniffs and smiles, after accepting his kiss, I help him into it. The sleeves are too long, but he looks adorable. "Where does this door go?"

 

"Find out." I nudge gently.

 

More amazement as he finds the en suite, before looking a little sad. "Why aren't there any toiletries?"

 

"Because this is yours. You know what you use now, we can shop for everything tomorrow."

 

"Oh, thank you, Stud. Please get a proper torch so I can show you something." I rejoin him a couple of minutes later. "Point it there," he orders, looking at his plans. "No, wait, I mean there." 

 

The beam hits a window and I snicker, as I can spot a boxing bag and some free weights.

 

"Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ." He murmurs. I smile at his oft said phrase. He rechecks his plans and shakes his head. "It's going to bother the hell out of you, if this end gets more sun. You know, I think you're the only guy I know who exercises at dusk." I scowl, he winces. "Sorry, I can't believe I forgot why, especially these last few days."

 

"Let's go and talk about moving gyms." I move to the door.

 

"Brian, I'm sorry." He pulls me to stop. "I'm sorry." I close my eyes, which allows the hurt to dissipate. They pop open when his lips touch mine, then close as the kiss deepens. I sigh as he wraps the gown around us. Like before, there's heat, but also there's tenderness and the taste of more to come.

 

KITCHEN, TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

JUSTIN

 

He rests his chin on my shoulder as I make some hot chocolate. "We're gonna share a bed tonight?"

 

"Yes," I reply, having been going back to Emmett's. "Can we have these in said bed?"

 

"Hmm maybe." He smiles into my neck. "Were you ever going to ask?"

 

"Honestly, I was gonna do what I used to and get in." 

 

He turns off the stove and me to face him. "We're different now. We've both grown up, so if we want something, let's ask each other before we assume and make asses out of ourselves."

 

"Hmm, certain people reaped the benefit of that," I concede. "Do you want to fit out your gym?"

 

"Please." He grins.

 

"You gonna show me how to lock up?"

 

"Yep." His grin widens. Ten minutes later, our home is secure. While he's carrying up the hot chocolate, I have the pack of Oreos. "Need to put that on the shopping list."

 

"You only bought one?" I ask as I open them. He ahems, and I close it. "I should check the freezer."

 

"What for?" He asks. I frown as the lights come on immediately. "Movement sensors. Want me to adjust the brightness?"

 

"I'm the Gizmo of our relationship, so yeah, adjust the brightness!"

 

He almost drops laughing so hard, when he recovers, he kisses away my pout. "The freezer?" He prompts with a little smirk and a quirking brow.

 

"You've only got one pack of Oreos, so it's safe to assume." I pause remembering what we just agreed. "Have you stocked the freezer with some essentials?"

 

"Like bacon, sausages, waffles, string fries, and blackberry and cherry sorbets?" I blink. "Cookie dough mix and two packs of stainless-steel ice pebbles, extra-large; yes, I have."

 

"When were you coming for me?"

 

He hands me a travel pouch, and my hands are trembling as I open it. "In two weeks, why - oh my!" 

 

"The day you left was the day to ask you to come back."

 

"I love you," I whisper.

 

"I love you too, but you're not eating them in bed!" He declares, carrying the tray to the loveseat. "Come on, let's watch the sunrise."

 

DUSTY'S HOME, NEXT AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

DUSTY

 

"Why the hell do you allow them to treat you two like this?!" I demand of a rightly pissed Michael and Lindsay, Loretta scowls as she works. "I'd never behave like that!"

 

"And this is why you're a better friend than they are!" Lindsay smiles.

 

"So, Justin's returned with Blake and Ted?" I can't believe he's been let back in again.

 

"Yes, they're the people behind Rage the Avenger!" Michael seethes. "I still can't understand why they wouldn't let me buy the issue, as they're going to be selling it anyway!"

 

"Said before and will keep saying it, he's an arrogant twink. Got with Brian more than once, and I think he's the greatest thing!" I rage, before taking calming breaths.

 

Oh, how I hate Justin Taylor! The moment I saw him, I knew he would be trouble, especially when he refused Loretta's help in his case. When he said he wanted Mel or nobody, I didn't think he meant literally! As it was held behind closed doors, only after he won, did we find out that he argued the case himself - although Mel and Brian helped by coaching him? Lindsay was furious and rightly pointed out there was no attorney/client privilege, so they could've told her about it. In fact, they should've. However, they respected Justin's bratty wish that Lindz was kept in the dark as he didn't feel she was remotely supportive.

 

It was after that his true arrogant colours began to show. Just because he had the money, he played high and mighty, splashing it everywhere. To thank Mel, he got her a diamond necklace, ostentatiously presenting it at Le Mont together with a vintage Rolex for Brian. When asked where the present for Lindz was, his sneering response of settling out of court is not the support I wanted, was a knife to her heart. 


Mel's lack of defence was telling, so I've made it my mission to be Lindz's champion and defender ever since, same for Michael. He's been hurt by Justin's pushy ways too. 

 

"And you can add liars to their dubious list of talents!" Loretta beams. "I've been looking into the company structure of Rage the Avenger. They don't feature."

 

"What do you mean? They don't feature?" Michael frowns. She shows him her screen. I beckon Lindsay to join us. 

 

As they read their fury mounts, she stamps her foot, which is so cute to me! "And there's Ben!" She rifles in her bag. "Give me your letter." He does so, and she tears both envelopes into little pieces. "He said something about clients! I bet he and Justin conspired to lie about that too! The question is why is he bigging himself up - what does he have to hide?!"

 

"Oh, wait till I get hold of both of them!" Michael snarls, pulling out his phone, Lindsay does the same, they both pace.

 

"Who are you calling?" I ask.

 

"Brian." They reply as one, I keep my scoff contained.

 

"Bet he's ploughing Justin as we speak!" Michael snipes, shoving his phone in his pocket.

 

"Of course, he is!" Lindsay sneers.

 

"Come on, let's go do what we do best, and save Brian from himself!" 

 

"We'll all go," I declare. "I'm sick of his mistreatment and arrogance causing you two pain. How many more times do we have to show Brian the true colours of his supposed friend!"

 

"Let me drive!" Loretta orders.

 

"Why?" Lindz demands.

 

"You three are too pissed off, I wouldn't want anything bad to happen!"

 

"The only bad things to happen will be to Justin, Ben, Ted, and Blake!" Michael declares as he holds open the door. "They won't know what hit them!"

 

ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL - EARLY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

"WHAT THE FUCK POSSESSED YOU?!" Ma screams.

 

"Brian!" Mel gets between him and me. "You two go, I'll handle them!" He looks hatefully at me. Me, his best friend who was only trying to help him see sense. After watching them take off, she balls her fists as she turns back to us. "Anything else happens to those boys, if you two are lucky, you'll end up in ICU!"

 

FOUR HOURS LATER

 

EMMETT

 

Despite my rage, I'm keeping the peace. Michael, Lindsay, and Dusty are sitting a few seats away from the rest of us. I still can't believe their jealousy has led to this. They said they went to confront Blake and Ted at the loft, but they have not said why. Brian's nephews were there, they wanted to see him, however, despite their pleas, they took them back home. The catalyst for all that befell them was them telling their mother and grandparents to keep their bullshit at their house and not to bother Brian. 

 

How proud they were when they told Debs what they did. When she ran out, calling Carl on the way, I went with her, not understanding her panic. At first when she saw John and Peter staggering up the street, it didn't look too bad, then we got closer. Peter was barely conscious, his hands close to his body. John's face was bloody, and he was having difficulty breathing. We brought them here. Carl went to their house, but we've not heard from him yet. 

 

The boys have been sedated, and now we're hoping and praying, some more than others.

 

"Justin!" Blake leaps up, helping him to sit. "What's happening?"

 

"Not much change. Bones have been set, there's nothing they can do with the ribs, they have to heal with time. Brian's giving blood. He'll need something to eat."

 

"I'll get it!" Michael declares.

 

"You go near him, and he'll kill you!" Ted snarls. "Debs, can you go? He'll need and want you more." 

 

Tearfully, she heads to the transfusion unit. 

 

"Michael?!" Vic roars as he runs up. Luckily for him, Ben gets between them. "Be grateful to him, very fucking grateful! Why were you at the loft?!"

 

"It's their fault! If they hadn't lied, we wouldn't have been there!" Lindsay shrieks, stunning everyone into confused silence.

 

"Who lied and about what?" Vic demands.

 

"Those three!" She points at Ted, Justin, and Blake. "They're not part of Rage. We went to confront them with their lies."

 

"Brian told Peter and John to go there, anytime! Just stay and wait." Justin shouts. "Why take them back? Why didn't you let them call him?!"

 

"We didn't know that!" Michael snivels. "We knew nothing! If we'd been told, then we wouldn't have."

 

"It's his fucking loft! Who comes or goes is his business," Vic tries, unsuccessfully again, to get past Ben. "You had no right, none!" 

 

"Everyone quiet!" Carl bellows. "Where's Brian?" 

 

"He's in the transfusion unit," Michael declares, then doubles over as Ben moves so that Vic can gut punch him. "Why?!" He wheezes, I spot the filthy look Lindsay gives Ben, which I'll deal with later.

 

"Again, grateful. Now shut the hell up!" He snarls.

 

"Carl!" Brian shouts as he strides towards us, a flustered Debs behind him. He's clutching his elbow, looking both fragile and furious. "Are they in jail?!"

 

"Son, sit down," Carl orders, his tone making my heart pound and mouth go dry.

 

"No, I've got to get back to them. Where are they if not in jail?!"

 

"On their way to the morgue," Carl states, pressing Brian in a chair, Justin is immediately on one side and Debs on the other. "The car flipped just off the interstate. They're dead, Brian. Claire, Joan, and Jack are dead."

 

 

 

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

The Southern Rescuer by MissMerlot

 

 

CHAPTER 9 - THE SOUTHERN RESCUER

 

THE DINER - A MONTH LATER

 

DEBS

 

Vic and Rodney are making up the lunchbox to take to the hospital. I rub my eyes, cursing as my ring scratches my cheek again. "Sis, you need to rest!" Vic takes my hand and removes the ring.

 

"I'll quit when they do!" I declare.

 

"There's a difference between resting and quitting. You'll be resting!" A woman's voice calls from the door. She puts two cases down and looks around, smiling. "This has good bones." She strides up to Cat and tickles him under his chin. 

 

Shucking off her coat, she folds it neatly over a booth and approaches. "I'll take over now." She smiles at Vic. Before I can protest, my shoulders are gripped, and I'm propelled into a booth.

 

"Debs, we've got to go!" Brian yells from the door. He looks thin and shattered, his sole focus is his nephews. They're due to be finally taken off sedation today, it's been reduced week by week. "Oh, sorry, didn't realise you had a customer."

 

"Not a customer." The woman states, her eyes filling. "Oh, my sweet boy, how can you expect to be strong for them when you're so weak yourself?"

 

For a second, Brian looks confused. As he starts to crumble, she's by his side in seconds, scooping him into a booth. Silently, she rocks him.

 

"What's the hold-up?" Justin croaks. He's got strep throat, however, won't leave Brian to face it alone. "Brian!" He cries, rushing to them, but stumbles. Once righted, he tries to pull her off, she pushes him easily away. "Who are you and what have you done?!" 

 

"Aunt Lula?!" Emmett exclaims from the hatch. He was helping Carl with anything and everything, as he needed to keep himself occupied. "When the hell?!"

 

"What did you expect me to do? Stay away whilst these folks are suffering?! Blue case has the herbs for the tea, get that started. Who's at the hospital now? Justin, who's there now?" 

 

"Uh, Mel and Ben." He sinks into the seat. "Sorry for that." He gestures at her rumpled sleeve. "Wish the circumstances had been better." When she reaches across and squeezes his chin, he starts to cry. 

 

"Emmett! Tea!" She barks, spurring him into action. "Debs, you're on Justin, let's heal our boys." 

 

TWO HOURS LATER

 

VIC

 

Carl has taken Ems, Debs, Brian, and Justin to his to rest. Lula got them to eat some scrambled eggs and whipped up a tincture for Justin's throat. 

 

"What a holy hell of a mess." She mutters, investigating the food we'd managed to put together. "This will never do, no, nope, no. Where's the nearest butcher, seafood shop, and phone store?" 

 

"I can take you." I wearily get to my feet.

 

"If I wanted to be took, I'd have said that. Where are they?"

 

"All three are on the same block, two down on the right." 

 

"Thank you. Now lock up, don't let anyone else in but me. There a bag I can use back there for supplies?" 

 

I nod, and despite her protests, take her where she wants to be.

 

CARL'S HOUSE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

FRONT ROOM

 

LOUNGE

 

CARL

 

I couldn't persuade them to use a bed, so they're dozing on the double Barcalounger, with strict instructions to be woken in an hour. With Mel and Ben's backing, I'm risking their wrath by letting them sleep. Debs is upstairs with Ems; he's recovering from the shock of Lula's arrival. The buzz of a phone gets my attention, it's Brian's - Michael's trying to get through to him again. He's not blocked them as they will just bother everyone else. I head to the kitchen and put it on speaker.

 

"Brian, it's Mikey and Lindz! Don't hang up! We're trying to say how sorry we are!" 

 

"Yes, Brian, you've got to accept it, we feel terrible!" Lindsay weeps. "So very terrible about what you're going through." She pauses to snivel, whilst he mutters his usual soothing bullshit. "Are you going to accept our apologies?"

 

"Is that all you've got to offer?" I growl.

 

"Carl?! Why are you answering Brian's phone? What's happened now?!"

 

"They're resting. Call back at the weekend!" I hate that he can't turn it off. Yes, the hospital has Justin's number too, but they will fill up his inbox instead, and he doesn't want to risk that. 

 

I jump slightly as a chin rests on my shoulder. I pat his cheek and accept a kiss on mine. "You want some more tea? Lula sent us with a flask."

 

"Please. And that's an urn. She's so tiny, how did she carry it?" Brian stretches and yawns. "Anyone else called?" I shake my head. "Did I say thanks for everything you're doing?"

 

"You don't need to," I point out. "Do one for Justin?" 

 

"Hmm, and the tincture thing, know where that is?"

 

"I do. Go sit back down," Ems orders as he enters with a comforter. "Debs is also awake. You two go cuddle for a bit." 

 

"Don't suppose you'd do some scrambled eggs too?" Justin croaks, I pull out the bowl. "Come on, Stud, let's go snuggle."

 

ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL - EARLY EVENING

 

JOHN AND PETER'S SUITE

 

BRIAN

 

Justin's feeling very guilty. Despite Aunt Lula's efforts, he's back in bed with a headache. I had to threaten him with a spanking - half sunshine smile as a result - to get him to leave. He's been fussed over by Debs and Ems. We're so grateful that Carl insisted on us staying at his. Those two have gone to our house every day - sometimes more than once. When we go back home, I'm going to get security!

 

"Hey, boys," I call quietly, checking them over. They look so peaceful.

 

They're off the sedation, now it's the waiting game. Ben said that they were stirring earlier, but since then, nothing. 

 

"You're in the hospital. Please wake up so I can tell you everything. You will never be hurt by them again."

 

I turn as the door opens and smile at another person that I'm grateful for, Dr. Alex Winter. He's been astonishing, going above and beyond with Peter and John. Okay, it helps that his dad is the head of the hospital, but he still didn't have to do half the things he has.

 

"Here's the name of the therapist I promised you," he whispers. I move to the side so he can examine them, he smiles and nods. "Excellent, excellent. They should be fully awake by tomorrow morning, keep talking to them."

 

"When, when do I tell them about it?"

 

He sighs and beckons me to the door. "Straight away. Yes, it will be a shock, but that will most likely be mixed with relief."

 

"It's bad that I'm angry, isn't it?" I scrub my face.

 

"No, that's normal." He pauses. "They escaped justice and it's not fair to the boys or you."

 

"I don't matter," I assert.

 

"Yes, you do, Uncle Brian."

 

"John!" I gasp dashing to his side. "I'm so happy you're awake!"

 

"Peter?" He whispers. "Is he okay?"

 

"Yes," I sob. "You're both going to be fine. He's still asleep."

 

"I'm not." His voice is hoarse, I stretch to touch his face. "You said they'd never hurt us again. Do you mean it?"

 

"I promise you," I choke out, Alex gets me into a chair, then moves John's bed closer. 

 

"My hands? What happened to them?" Peter sniffs. 

 

"Tell us the truth, please," John rasps.

 

"They broke them. They're still in the casts, but lighter, so the bones are healing. Same for your ribs. However, you can hardly see the bruises anymore. And John, you, you had a hairline skull fracture, also broken ribs, a broken nose, cuts, and bruises." 

 

"Where are they? Jail?"

 

"Wait, before you answer, I want to get in with Peter," John declares. "Will you help me, please?"

 

"Let me get a couple of nurses," Alex states.

 

"And I'll get Justin on the line." I pause when John smirks slightly. "What?"

 

"He's back?" I nod, amazed that he remembers him. 

 

"It takes two calls to get through. He sounds better. "They're awake." 

 

"I'm just pulling in now!" He exclaims. 

 

TEN MINUTES LATER

 

BRIAN

 

"Dead? All of them?" Peter repeats, I nod. "I'm glad, I'm so glad! I don't care if God strikes me down now, I'm glad!"

 

"I hope they suffered!" I state.

 

"I do too," Justin nods, helping Peter with his water whilst I feed John ice chips. He's always loved the sound it makes. "They were cowardly bullies, running away when the car crashed."

 

"Where are they now?" Peter tenses up. "Do we have to bury them and stuff like that?"

 

"I didn't claim them. That part of the Kinney line ended in a ball of flame. We start anew with us."

 

"Good." Peter yawns. "Will you stay with us till we sleep?" I nod, helping John back into bed.

 

"Can you stand, do you think, Peter? Or sit on Uncle Brian?"

 

"Yes, I can, but why?"

 

Justin sighs. "When I got." He pauses then clears his throat. "When I was bashed, whilst in hospital, I was alone. You have each other. If you want, I can get someone to put the beds together, so it's like a double. What do you think?"

 

"That would be great! Thank you, Uncle Justin." 

 

He grins before kissing the top of John's head. "I won't be long."

 

As the door closes behind him, John looks fiercely at me. "Promise me something?"

 

"Anything."

 

"Please don't be a dick and let him go again?"

 

"I promise."

 

THE DINER, TWO DAYS LATER

 

LULA

 

They're much more rested. Still too skinny, the pair of them, but between Debs and I, we'll get them fattened up. As Carl closed it down for customers, the diner has become the central place for everyone to meet. There have been well-wishers dropping things off for the boys, both big and small. Not sure what some folks were thinking with the butt plugs, but big city folks seek comfort in their own ways, I guess.

 

I look down at a chirruping Cat. "Now you know it's not time yet, you have five minutes." I hook my foot under his belly and hoist him towards his basket. He settles with an aggrieved look. "Any sulking, no salmon." He blinks twice. "As I thought."

 

I check the roasts again. "Any samples going?" I put down two ribs for Mel, she leans against the counter to eat. "Where'd you get lamb ribs from? And did I smell wings?" 

 

"I've set up an account, so if you need something, tell me, and you did. Finish those first. What time are they coming?"

 

"In about five minutes." She eats quietly, I wait for her to get her mind together. "I can't fathom their behaviour."

 

"Why should you have to? That's for them to work out. You just need to show them the consequences of said behaviour. Don't argue with fools, some folks won't be able to tell which is which, just say your piece and move on."

 

"Easier said than done." She sighs.

 

"And that's what narcy fools like them rely on, a misplaced sense of loyalty, love, whatever, they use that against people."

 

"Brian, finally!" She grimaces at the bellowing and my blood boils.

 

"And now's the time to do this." I declare. "Let's go."

 

MICHAEL

 

It goes quiet as Lindsay and I approach. "How's everyone doing?"

 

"Strike one!" Uncle Vic snaps. He and Ma flank Brian, Ben, and Emmett. They are on either side of them. Carl smiles as Mel sits opposite him. Seems our firing squad is ready, but we'll show them that they're firing blanks!

 

"I meant the boys too, of course, I did." Although I'm speaking calmly, I'm still livid with him and Ben over that punch. "Have they been discharged?"

 

"Discharged?!" Ma scowls. "Do you think he'd be here if they had been?"

 

"Where's the cause of their hospitalisation? Run away again, has he?" Lindsay looks angrily at Ben. "Along with two of the other three storytellers?" 

 

"The causes are in front of me. Their Uncles Justin, Blake, and Ted, who aren't liars, are at the hospital. Justin, especially, didn't want to see you two. I'm only here because you need to listen to me."

 

"Brian, whilst we do share some portion of the blame," Lindsay explains, "the fact remains their lies brought us there. We made a mistake, a big one, but simply a mistake."

 

"How many times over the weeks did you practice that?" Mel glares.

 

"What is that supposed to mean?" Lindsay growls.

 

"This." Mel gestures at us. "Is all Loretta. She trots out that old rhetoric at least every six or seven cases. And where's the fourth Musketeer? Waiting to mop up your tears with her bra or panties?"

 

"Mel!" I cringe. "That was uncalled for!" 

 

"I'm neither stupid nor blind," she retorts. "Now shut your shitholes and listen to what Brian has to say!"

 

BRIAN

 

I sip my coffee, enjoying their astonished silence, before the acid-reflex of their sulk sets in. I enjoy his scowl when Debs squeezes my hand and nods encouragingly. It deepens when Vic nudges me to proceed.

 

"Not a mistake, a choice. Which, right now, I can't forgive you for."

 

"Brian, come on, he's made more mistakes than us, but you've forgiven him."

 

"Leave Justin out of this, Michael! He's done nothing wrong! You two let your jealousy of him cloud what little vision you have for me!" 

 

"Breathe Brian, take your time, you need to be calm," Ben instructs and at that moment I really hate Michael!

 

"Thanks, you're right." There's silence as I get myself calmer, although Michael is desperate to speak, Lindsay's grip stops him. "So, you can focus on saving your relationships, Justin and Blake are the owners and sole creators of Rage the Avenger. I had missed calls from you both, why not leave a message?"

 

Lindsay sighs, her expression condescending. "Brian, that is not true, and we can prove it."

 

"Horse apples and bullcrap!" Aunt Lula barks. They look startled by her presence. "Apologies, continue your pissiness."

 

Michael stops glaring at Ben and turns to Aunt Lula. "And you are who?" 

 

"A person you don't want to cross. Now finish up, I've got mouths to feed."

 

He scowls before setting his face to punchable, so very punchable. "We didn't leave messages in case he'd delete them, he's done it before. Remember?" 

 

"No, he didn't," Ben interjects with a smirk. "I've been waiting for you to bring that up." He puts his phone on the table and goes to his voicemail. "Listen." He orders and presses play, Michael's voice blasts out with Lindsay in the background. "Isn't that the message you vociferously claimed that Justin deleted before he left?" Michael is grinding his jaw whilst Lindsay looks murderous. "He asked at the time if you had called me by accident: I would not have made that mistake. I know the difference between my best friend's name and my boyfriend's; that's you, word for word. I've just sent you a screenshot of the voicemail screen, take a look at when it came?" 

 

MEL

 

When he doesn't go to check his phone, Vic bangs the table. "Check!" Still, he makes no move. "Or I will do it for you!"

 

He hurries to obey; the realisation makes him go florid. "Why didn't you tell me?! I would've apologised if I'd known!"

 

"No, you wouldn't!" Ems blasts. "And Ben found that message a couple of weeks back. I was there, so before you spout another bullshitting conspiracy theory because Justin's his friend!"

 

"Where are their letters?!" I fume. "You need to add that to Justin's and write one to Brian." I gesture for them, they go redder. "Of course! You've torn them up, haven't you, Lindsay?!"

 

"We don't want them anyway," Justin states from the door, he looks angrier than he did at the hospital. "Sorry, Stud, I had to pull over to calm down."

 

"I heard." He smirks.

 

"Pull over?" Ems questions. His frown melts into a smile as Brian places his phone on the table. "Ah, nice, he got to hear everything!"

 

"Indeed. Can you let him in, please?" Brian asks. Most of us smile as Justin sits and they kiss. "I'm sorry again about the voicemail, Sunshine."

 

"Thank you. Now you need to say something else." 

 

"Yes, I do." They kiss again, then he turns to them. "I love Justin. If you want to remain in my life, accept that he will come first, or fuck off."

 

 

 

End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.

Coming, Going, Staying and Weakening by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 10 - COMING, GOING, STAYING AND WEAKENING


LINDSAY


I feel like I’m having a panic attack, surely I misheard?!


“So what’s it going to be?” Mel’s sneers. “You see it, you’ve heard it, now all you two have to do is accept it. And if you can't, why not?”


“Ask the three of them. You’ve gotta include the u-hauler that is Dusty.” My stomach churns as Dusty’s unimpressed looking ex, Leda, strides in.


“What the hell are you doing here?!” I gasp. “And who is that?!” I demand of the man with her. “Swapped sides, have you?!”


“No, that's your oh-so-obvious game. You really think nobody can see your desire to be Mrs Brian Kinney, whilst keeping Mel as your sidechick and Madam U-Hauler as your sexual sycophant.”


“Ooh we like this lady! I’m Aunt Lula, you two are?”


“I’m Leda, this is Dijon. He was looking for directions.”


“Was told by Alex I’d be able to find either Brian or Justin here or someone who’ll know where they are.” 


“This is us.” Brian gestures between them. “We didn’t expect you until tomorrow.” They make their way out of the booth. “Follow us okay? We won’t be long.”


DIJON


As we head out, two pairs of eyes stab me in my back - so that’s them, huh? 


“Um, Aunt Lula, can you give us a minute?” Brian smiles. I turn to face her, she folds her arms and shakes her head. “Why not?”


“I’m going to be looking after the four of you, so I need to know what’s happening first hand.” Whilst they look so relieved, she sighs. “I would’ve preferred you to ask. Next time you want something from me, do that, we clear?” 


“Yes, Aunt Lula.” Justin kisses her cheek. “We didn’t want to impose.”


She kisses her teeth whilst taking a compact out of her pocket. After fixing her hair, she snaps it shut. “It’s chilly, let’s get somewhere warm. And private.” Justin scowls before leading us to a car. “He’s going to learn a lesson or two by the time I leave.” She mutters.


“Oh please, make it a hard one.” Brian adds and I can’t help but concur.


DINER 


MICHAEL


I fume as they get in, not just because I can’t hear, but because of the car itself. It has to be rented, surely he can’t own that?! I start to climb down from the counter, closing the window slowly, just in case they come out again.


“Michael!” Ma startles me, and I shut it on my fingers


“Ouch fuck!” I turn to run them under the tap. “I’ve cut myself, get me the kit!”


She switches it off and hauls me down. “You’re not bleeding, yet. Go sit and wait like the rest of us.” She opens the freezer. “You’re not finding anything out until they’re ready.” I wince as she shoves the bag of peas into my chest. “Get going!”


INSIDE JUSTIN’S CAR 


LULA


I chuckle as Debs’ hair glints in the sunshine, we're going to be good friends, she and I. “So, what therapy do you specialise in?”


“Mental health, specifically PTSD, and, of course, physical.” He smirks and flexes an arm, it has the desired effect. “Where are the boys going to be staying?”


“With us.” Justin states, Brian kisses his hand. “They’re going to be in the room next to ours, well not right next to, there’s a bathroom between.”


“That’s good.” I nod. “And I’ll have a room on the other side of them, split the shifts. When are they being discharged?”


“In about ten days.” Justin replies. “They’ve got fresh clothes, games, colouring books, anything a growing teen will need.”


“Good, good.” I put on the AC. “I know you’ve said you're not claiming them, however, I know where they are. When you four are ready, I’ll take you so you can say your peace, because that’s what you need to do, don’t they, Dijon?“ He nods. “No arguing, Justin, you need to say your peace too.”


“Sorry, Justin, what’s this?” Dijon frowns. “When did they hurt you?”


“No, not them. Another person, a long time ago.” He mutters looking at the floor, breathing deeply for a few seconds. “The focus needs to be on the boys and Brian.”


“Are you not going to be in their lives?” I jab his knee.


“Of course I am! I love Brian, I want to be where he is, supporting him! They mean the world to him, to both of us! How could you think otherwise?!” 


“She doesn’t.” Dijon uncurls Justin’s fists. “But if you don’t heal, neither does he.” 


DINER - TEN MINUTES LATER


CARL


Emmett and Mel have gone to help Leda with something. Michael is almost having his boo-boo kissed better by Lindsay, whilst Ben is in the kitchen with Vic, keeping an eye on the food.


“Maybe you should go out there?” Debs is wringing her hands.


“I should go.” Michael stands. “We both should, since we're partly responsible.”


“You’d need to get past me!” Vic snaps. “For years you’ve caused problems for Brian, in the background, and not just with Justin, With everyone that you saw as a threat. Hell, you’re even jealous of how much he and Debs spend together!”


“How absurd, why would he be?”


“The same way you are jealous of Brian and Mel’s relationship!” He retorts.


“They don’t have a relationship!” She snarls. 


“Touched your sore spot, huh?” He goads before looking over his shoulder. He steps back and closes the door. 


“Sit down, Michael.” I fume. “This is my place. Just because I’m dating Debs, doesn’t mean I won’t kick you out.” 


“Dating?! I forbid it!” 


“To paraphrase Brian, accept it’s happening or fuck off!” I declare. 


Before he can respond, everyone returns. Emmett is grinning, as is Leda, who has linked arms with Mel. 


“What’s happening?” Lindsay demands, looking between the two groups. 


“We’re going home.” Justin replies. “Aunt Lula and Debs are coming too.” He breaks into a smile. “You’re back, aren’t you, Leda, I mean for good?”


“Yep.” Mel grins. “She’s going to be bunking in with Ems, since you’re moving in with Brian. I’m going to help, then we're going for a drink. I was wondering if we can borrow the muscle that is Ben, and maybe Brandon?”


“Absolutely not!” Lindsay screeches.


“What not?” Ben frowns as he hands Brian and Justin their jackets.


“Brandon can help, but you can’t.” Michael stalks past him. “You and I need to talk for a minute.” He holds open the door. “Ben.” 


PARKING LOT


BEN


“Are you trying to get cancer?” I sigh as he lights up.


“I need something to do with my hands!” He blows smoke in my direction. “Why do you hate Lindsay so much?” 


“I dislike her, she’s the one hating.”


“Lindsay doesn’t hate you. She finds you disrespectful to both of us.”


“And what’s her reason for Brandon? Jealous that he got to taste the Brian seed?”

“Taste the Brian seed?” He looks both disgusted and jealous. “Who came up with that?! Oh, let me guess, Justin! He’s always bragging on Brian.”


“He isn’t, you do that, and you’re always blaming Justin for things you do that upset Brian, you’re forever shifting things to suit your narrative.” I head back to the door. “I’m going to help Leda and Mel.”


“You think helping them is more important than discussing our problems?”


“So when you want to talk, we have problems. When I wanted to, we were fine, there’s nothing to worry about. Babe.” I mimic, he grinds out the cigarette.


“Put that in the trash!” Vic bellows through the window. “And don’t smoke out there again!”


MICHAEL


By the time I get back, Lindsay is alone in the booth. Carl and Uncle Vic are by the counter, smiling and whispering.


“The sulker returns!” Uncle Vic snipes. “We want to close up, get your bestie, and go console each other. And do some hard thinking, he’s very serious about Justin.” 


“And we accept that position. Right, Lindsay?”


She jerks on her jacket. “Let’s go back to yours.”


“Sure. Wait, what’s happened?” I demand as she wipes her cheeks. “Why have you been crying? Is it something that Ben said? Are you worried about Leda causing problems for Dusty?”.


“Ben’s not foolish enough to give her actual ammunition to use.” Uncle Vic scoffs. “As for Leda, she won’t give Dusty a thought unless she upsets Mel. No, the tears are because you’re not allowed there anymore.”


“Allowed where? The loft? We have no reason to go there!”  


“Ah you’ve finally accepted that Justin, Blake and Ted are the people behind Rage have you?” I scowl whilst rolling my eyes. “Thought not. No, I mean Brian and Justin’s house. You’re banned.” Carl opens the door. “One more word and that goes for here too.”


MICHAEL AND BEN’S HOME - TWO HOURS LATER


MICHAEL


We ended up in Woody’s, still reeling from the big fucking announcement, and we have to contend with this ludicrous banishment. As we make our way up the path, I sigh and curse.


“What’s wrong?” Lindsay hiccups slightly.


“Ben’s back. Hoped he would stay out.” 


“He never does things you want these days, I’ve noticed that more and more.”


“That’s because he does what’s right for all, not just what’s right for Michael!” Brandon drawls from behind us. “Open up then, I’ll make coffee.”


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


The way he, as Michael says, lords it around here is maddening. As we sit at the counter in silence, he whistles while he works like an oversexed, over-tall dwarf. 


Suddenly a thought occurs. “Why was the light on, were you in the house without Michael?”


“I was parked, waiting for either you two or Ben to come back. The security light came on.”


“What security light?” Michael frowns. 


“The one I installed two weeks ago.” He replies while adding brandy to his mug, but not offering us any. “You were with us at the time.” 


“Stop helping yourself to our things, Brandon.” Michael growls, his scowl deepening as he pours more into his mug. “Give that to me!” He pours the remains down the sink. “What the fuck, Brandon?!”


“I bought it.” He replies coolly before heading to the lounge.


When TV comes on, I’ve had enough. “Michael, that is too much, put your foot down!” I hiss, he nods. “This is what I think you should say.”


BRANDON


I stretch out, flicking through the channels, waiting for their approach, united in jealousy, fury and brattiness. 


“Want to share the sofa?” I kick off my shoes, he flinches with each thud.


“No, I want you to be more respectful of me in my own home.”


“You want it, you give it. You and Ben finally have something in common, Michael, both having people around who the other person doesn’t want.” I give Lindsay a scathing look. She stands taller. “Whatever she’s dripped in your ear, I wouldn't say it. Mel won’t have you living with them. You two might be able to bunk in with Dusty, but that won’t last.”


“Stop your drunken blathering and leave!” Michael shrieks.


“I’m staying so Ben can get back in. I wouldn't put it past you to lock him out, just to flex that puny muscle of yours. Don't you two get it? Your control and influence over Brian is over. Now he’s declared his love, he’ll never dump Justin again.”

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks

Home - Comings and Goings by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 11 - HOME - COMINGS AND GOINGS


BEN


I take in the scene, and know this is the last time I come into this. 


“What are you fighting about?”


“Your brother needs to respect me and my boundaries, especially in my domain!” 


“Brandon, what happened that you are still here?” I sigh. Michael puffs up as Lindsay side-eyes him. “What did you think they would do?” 


“Lock you out.” He replies, switching off the TV. 


“Thanks. Lindsay, let me call you a cab.”


“I’m not leaving Michael to be bullied by you two!” She snarls. “I notice you’ve not told him to leave!”


“I was going to.” I sigh. “Michael and I need to talk calmly and privately.”


“She stays I stay.” Brandon bites out. “If she does, she's having the sofa! Unless he wants to go with her?”


“That’s his choice.” I reply.


“EXFUCKINGCUSE ME!” Michael’s screeching rattles the windows. “You’re not chucking us out of my home!”


“At least I’m giving you an option. You can either stay or go with your friend.”


“What do you mean?” Brandon slowly sits up. 


“Check the back door.” He’s white faced when he returns. “It was Michael, I watched him from the gate. Wouldn't have mattered, as I would’ve kicked it in.”


“I was securing the property!” Michael splutters.


“Funny how you only seem to secure the property or smoke when you’re angry at me for something.”


“He’s done this before?” Brandon growls. 


“Hmm. I only got in because of your boss.” 


“How so?” He tops up my glass, methinks to keep his hands occupied. 


“It was about six months ago. We were celebrating your birthday. He went home early, claiming a headache, but called Brian on the way to meet him at the house. Whilst he was there, my loving babe cursed me out, saying how selfish I was for staying instead of coming home with him whilst he was so horny!” While we both shudder, Michael gulps like a landed fish. “He made his excuses. The poor bloke said he almost brought up his lunch. It was as he was leaving, that he heard you lock the back door. Oh, how you must have thought your time had come when he decided to stay instead. Like you, it was so that I could get back in.”


LINDSAY


“Michael, pack a bag. Clearly this is not a safe space for you right now. I mean emotionally, not physically. At least you won’t attack him that way.” 


“Thanks, Lindz. I can’t believe you’re behaving like this, Benjamin, picking your brother over me when my other relationships are falling apart. At least I can rely on Lindsay to be my rock in a safe harbour.”


BRANDON


“Rock in a safe harbour?” I scowl. “Does he mean port in a storm?”


“Reckon so.” Ben snickers. With one more hateful glance, they flounce out. 


Ten minutes later, the front door bangs shut. He looks across at me. “Want to watch a movie or help me pack?”


“Help you pack.”


BRIAN’S HOUSE - EARLY MORNING


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


We’ve had a nice long soak after an even longer talk with Dijon and Aunt Lula. As well as talking about the boys, I finally discussed my bashing. Dijon was surprised that I’d never talked about it, I focused on getting justice then living the rest of my life. 


I spent most of the talk in tears, both anger and hurt over the abandonment by my parents, especially my Mom. I wasn’t as shocked as I thought I would be when Brian admitted to knowing what happened to them. I fiddle with the piece of paper with her number on it. 


“You gonna call her?” He asks from the door. I nod, again in tears. He holds me. “Did you know he was beating her?” I cry harder. “Thought not. At first I didn’t believe her, then I did some digging. That was why he didn't want you at that hospital. It’s where he took her. She was a virtual prisoner whilst you were hospitalised, and through till the end of the trial. He was so furious that you kept fighting that he took it out on her. Then, after the trial, he relented, saying she could reach out, but she refused, arguing it would look bad.” I frown. “At that point, be honest, would you have wanted to have seen her?”


“No.”


“He, however, had no such qualms. He was asking around trying to see if there was a way to get in touch with you. I had it explained to him in ways he understood that he should leave you alone.” 


Again, it takes a few seconds to register. “What did you do?” 


“Got ten bushels of shit kicked out of him, during which she ran. He wisely never looked for her.” 


I’m in awe. “Are they still married?”


“Not to my knowledge. Nothing can come back to me, so don’t worry. I couldn't touch my old man because of Peter and John, but yours, yeah, him I could deal with.”


“Thank you.” I whisper against his lips. “Thank you so much.” 


“You’re welcome.” He murmurs, then deepens the kiss. I hear two things, the paper fluttering to the floor and his low moan. “Let’s make cocoa and go to bed.”


“Hmm.” I kiss his neck. “Or you could make love to me.” He gulps. “You told them you love me, I want to feel how much.”


Gently, he pushes me away. “Got a coin?”


“What do you need a coin for?” 


“To toss to see who tops first.” His smile is slow and sexy, I fish in my pockets, almost crying when I come up empty, then whooping when he taps my nose with one. “Heads or tails?”


“Tails.” We watch with bated breath as it spins, the clink, when he fumbles the catch, bounces off the walls. 


“Butterfingers!” I tease as it rolls under the dresser. “Want me to get that?” 


“Bend slowly.” His growl wraps around my cock and makes me shiver. “Your backside and walk are perfect.”


“Your strut is like watching a pendulum swing.” I call back before slinking to the floor and sliding forward, ass high. I squirm as his hot hands bare my back. He chuckles as he kisses down my spine. “What’s so funny?” My nails scrape against the dresser. 


“You’re moaning. When we tricked you were quiet, until the end.” He whispers, before whirling his tongue around my ear. 


“Ditto.” I breathe. “Now shush and kiss me!” I yelp at the coldness of the floor as I’m flipped over. His mouth is like a furnace. I need to feel it all over my body, especially my cock and ass. I yank his head back. “Suck me off, please, suck me off!” The sound of my cargos being ripped open fills me with joy. I wriggle with impatience and kick off my shoes. “Brian, hurry!”


“Oh no, I’ve been waiting years for this!” I raise my hips. In seconds I’m naked from the waist down, but now he’s still and staring. “You're beautiful.” He cups my balls, they pulse and twitch. “So heavy, and soft, you feel like cashmere. How?” He nuzzles my pubes, inhaling deeply, my fist goes in my mouth.


BRIAN


I pull his hand away. “Need to hear you.” That statement turns his shaft from pink to fiery red. Hooking my hands under his butt, I stroke his sides. We lock gazes, his eyes widen as I slowly engulf him. He tastes of ambrosia as I swirl my tongue over his head. I realise that I will never suck another dick again.


JUSTIN


I’m crying with pleasure as his teeth and tongue work their magic. Again, he scrapes along my vein, once more he backs off so that I can’t quite get there. Of all the times to edge me, he picks now!


“Why’d, why’d you stop?!” I whimper.


“Because.” He laughs, licking his lips. “You're wriggling too much, keep still!” I snort at the absurdity of his request, and in relief, reaching down he strokes my palm, then entwines our fingers. “Wanna finish?”


“Yes!  Please, yes!” He takes his sweet time again, my growl of frustration turns into a squeal of delight as his fingers come into play. “Ohgodohgodohfuck!” I cry as his mouth and fingers work in tandem to drive me wild. He lets go of my hand to use his to hold me down, the pleasure is rocketing through my body. I can barely breathe. He goes faster and faster, how is he doing this?! “Brian, please, letmecumletmecumletmecum!” 


BRIAN


His pre-cum’s flowing down my throat, his feet pummelling my back. I shuffle up slightly, then thrust and twist against his sweet spot, finally giving him the release he’s been begging for. 


JUSTIN


“HOLYGODFUCKINGDAMN!” I yell, everything is obliterated as the pleasure spreads like wildfire. I feel like I’m going to pass out, such is its intensity, but then it changes from pulsing hot, to gentle and loving. I don’t know what he’s doing, but it feels like the most beautiful of deaths.


“French, at this point, how eloquent.”


“Hmdd?” I mumble, he kisses my stomach, then covers my cooling body with his. “French?” I repeat, he looks most pleased with himself. 


“You said le petit mort, a small death.” I smile into his neck. “Happy to have killed you, now if I could die again, but in bed, that would be great.” He ties his shirt around my waist then helps me to sit at the table. My moan at the aftershock disappears down his throat as we kiss. “Gruner Veltliner? Blink once for yes.” He chuckles whilst pouring a glass for us.


It’s perfectly chilled, he pours another. “Again?” I hiccup.


“You were supposed to sip and share, not guzzle it back.” 


“No, no, you said die again. You came?” I feel a little foggy.


“Yep. Watching, no, hearing you was so, I dunno, it just was. I’ve never cum without being touched, so you ready to kill me?”


“Oh yeah!” I declare, leaping up then passing out.


LATE AFTERNOON


THEIR BEDROOM


BRIAN


His back is to me, I know he's not asleep. 


“You’re the only person I know that could do that. It took me an hour to get you up here and clean.” He turns over, eyes remaining closed. “Not only because you were a deadweight, but also I was laughing so hard.” Eyes pop open. “You landed like an impaled starfish. You were still hard! It took ten minutes for your dick to die!” My snorting turns into a coughing fit then laughter. “You then burped and rolled into a ball like a hedgehog!”


He jiggles to the loveseat table and pours water. “Would you like to stop laughing or wear your water?!”


“It took five minutes to uncurl you, but it was the snoring and sleep talking that almost made me drop you down the stairs.”


“Sleep talking?” He’s starting to grin. “What did I say?”


“No idea!” I hoot. “But in the shower, you came to demand that I unhand you because this is only for your husband, then passed out again!”


“Oh shit.” He sniggers, hands covering his face. “I am so sorry, but you’ve gotta take some blame.”


“Oh I totally do, and yes I accept.”


“What?” He opens the curtains then the window, the air smells so sweet.


“Your proposal and to be monogamous.”


MICHAEL AND BEN’S HOME - SAME TIME


BEN


Neither of us answer when Michael calls our names. At first, we’re surprised that he's by himself, then we glance out the window. She’s coming up the path. When she lets herself in, I know we’re over.


“Want me to make coffee?” She calls.


“Yes, please, that stuff was terrible!” He replies, coming out of the toilet. “His keys are gone. Want me to make some breakfast? If those two gluttons haven’t eaten it all first, of course.”


“I wouldn't be surprised, such is their selfishness. It gets worse when they’re together.”


We fume as they decimate our characters, followed by sticking it to Justin and Mel. It’s when he starts on Emmett that I’ve had enough. Nodding at the door, Brandon takes a few deep breaths, then follows me out.


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


“Michael!” Lindsay gasps. “Look!” I turn to where she’s pointing, he’s stacked some cases. “How do you feel about that?”


“I, I don’t know. I guess it was always on the cards, but now it’s happening. I’m a little shocked.”


“How long has it been on the cards for you then? I only came to this conclusion last night?” 


I slowly turn to face Ben, sighing at Brandon’s presence. “Why is he still here?”


“How long has she had a key?” He demands, arms folded.


“It doesn’t matter now, does it? You’ve made your decision.” I retort. Lindsay joins me on the sofa. “You don’t seem to have packed much. Where am I sending the rest to?”

 

“A hotel or Dusty’s.” Brandon’s smirking. “I neither liked nor trusted you from the get go. However, I know how soft hearted my brother is, which is why the house is in my name. I also leant him the money to put into your store. So the person leaving here and there is you.”

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks

Secrets Discovered and Shared by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 12 - SECRETS DISCOVERED AND SHARED 


MEL AND LINDSAY’S KITCHEN - A WEEK LATER


MICHAEL


I’m still reeling from what has happened these last few days. Brandon, the fucker, refuses to be reasonable! He is adamant that if I want the store, which I poured my heart and soul into, l pay the market price! He couldn’t resist humiliating me further by leaving all my stuff on the sidewalk, only giving me three hours to collect it or he would have a yard sale!


“Oh, for fuck! Michael!” Mel yells as she stomps down the stairs. I brace myself for her daily whine. What she fails to understand is that it gives me comfort. “That lump of lucite needs to be moved!”


“My statue doesn’t fit in my room. You won’t let me keep it down here, that's the only place it can go.”


“Morning all.” Lindsay comes in, surprisingly dressed for going out. “Mel, you’ve got a ladder.”


“I know.” She grits out. “What I’m not getting in rent, you’re costing me in stockings!”


“Why are you wearing stockings?” Lindsay frowns. “You normally wear pantyhose.”


“Can we not talk about those?!” I exclaim.


“For once I agree with you!” Mel blushes. “And it will fit in your room if you take some of the comics out that you've already read!”


“I told you, I need them for research!” I fume. For an attorney, she doesn’t listen very well.


“You don’t seem to be using them for research. You spend 90% of time down here watching cartoons without them. Before you say, again, you need both, why not watch TV in your room since they seem to be too onerous to bring down?”


“I feel so cramped and hemmed in.” I sigh. “Why don't you and I just share your office? Surely, there’s room for the pair of us?”


“Absolutely fucking not!” She explodes.


“Why does that generate such an over the top rebuttal, counsellor?” Lindsay glares.


“Why?! That is an extension of my work office. You don't get in there either, remember? Besides, why can’t you two artists share? Your studio would be much more suited to his artistic aspirations. I’m going to work, that lump needs to be off the landing by the time I get back or I shall follow Brandon’s lead!”


Whilst I’m left stunned, Lindsay hurries after her. As I start to pull myself out of my shock and make coffee, a thought occurs. 


“I’m so sorry about that, Michael.” Lindsay declares. “I can’t think what on earth has gotten into her! Why are you outside her office?”


“Am wondering two things. Why does she have client files in there? Surely they should be in her office. Also why didn't she answer your question about her clothing choice?”


She ponders this for a bit. “You know, I’ve never thought of it like that. Let me check with Loretta.” She chuckles at my shocked expression. “About the files, not her sudden need to wear stockings!” Five minutes later, we're back in the kitchen having coffee. “Well, if Loretta does it then I’m sure it’s fine for Mel. What are you going to do about the statue and your comics?”


“Can you speak to her again? I really need to have them here, I have a very good reason!”


“I can, but not without you telling me what the very good reason is.” She leans against the counter. 


“They’re my favourites, my first purchases. As a fellow artist you get that, don't you?” She nods whilst draining her coffee. “Oh, meant to say, I’m in touch with some of my contacts. I still don’t believe those three morons are doing Rage, so I am going to prove it.”


“Good thinking. And once we have the proof, Brian will see what a sharp and shoddy character he’s always been. He’s still in his fuck-fetters. He must have gotten a lot of practice whilst he was away.”


“What are fetters?”


“Fetters is a feeling, not a thing, it means to be held in their power.”


“I see. Well, as much as it pains me to say it, he does seem to be quite a good fuck machine, nowhere near Brian, who’s the ultimate of course.”


LINDSAY


“He’s topped Brian?!” I gasp, feeling a stab of envy. I would love to use my strap on him, having him at my mercy. Just babbling, begging for release.


“Fuck no! I mean when they’ve been in the backroom together, his tricks seem to have a good time.” 


“I see. Well, on that relieved note, I shall see you later, around six in Woody’s.”


“Why are you going and why am I meeting you in Woody’s?” I ask, heading to the lounge. 


“To work. It’s our busy season coming up. As for Woody’s. Mel is taking Leda there again, and I’m not happy with her wearing stockings!”


“Ah, I see. Sure, see you then!” I kiss her cheek and settle down to watch my cartoons.


MEL’S HOME OFFICE - FOUR HOURS LATER


MEL


At first I didn’t know what the alert on my phone was about. It was only when I got home and saw that the keys were on the wrong hooks that I realised that Mr Nosey Dickhead Fucking Parker tried to get into my office! 


As I pour myself a glass of water, I remember why I got the motion sensor put in. It was during the one and only time that Loretta and I shared this space after Lindsay and I had just moved in. Whilst we were working on a case together, I was also working on a higher profile one. Oh, how her ass burned when I got picked over her! She played it off as me being the lesser evil of bull dykes. She ended up burned of ass and red faced when Leda, who we met for the first time, chipped in that she heard they only wanted me. 


She and Lindsay became besties in seconds. Those were the days when she was my champion and sentinel, but as the years went by, I noticed that she championed less and chapped at my ass more. Especially comparing me to Dusty, who was giving Leda the world, and her wife whilst she was stuck in the doldrums, existing on dust and dander. Hearing those words was bad enough, but for them to be said to Loretta and Dusty was humiliating. 


However, those barbs led to the beginning of the great dyke-stud-thaw. Heartbroken, I went for a drive and found a small park, so beautiful, peaceful with a duck pond, which looked empty. Plonking on the bench, I let the tears flow, then I hear the one person I never want to see me cry.


Start of flashback

SIX YEARS PRIOR


MEL


“You can leave now!” Leaping up in mortification, I trip over my purse, landing on my knees with the contents spilling everywhere. Amongst them, naturally, is a tampon. “I’d say that this might be the cause of the tears, but somehow I doubt it. Sit on the bench.”


“You just told me to leave!” I snivel.


“I was talking to the gawking park keeper. Come on, get up.” Sighing in defeat, I take the hand of Brian Kinney. “Wanna risk cooties and take my kerchief?” After I wipe my eyes, he doesn’t take it back. “What’s she done?” I stare at him. “I’m no fool, and she’s no angel. What’s she done?” 


I’m in tears again whilst telling him what she said and how frustrated I’ve been with her growing closeness to Dusty, then ask a question I never thought I would. “What would you do?”


“Staked my claim on Lindsay from the outset. When you didn’t, Musty Lust took that as a challenge, which she’s winning. You want her, fight for her.” 


“Musty Lust?” I snicker before lapsing into a guilty silence.


“Do you want to fight for her?” 


“She’s right in a way, I can’t give her the life that she wants right now.” 


“It’s not about life, it's about love. Why isn’t Lindsay giving you the love and support you need? She knows how hard you work. For fuck sake, you got her this cottage, how the hell does she think you did that? Sometimes I want to shake her, her selfishness is one of the traits I dislike.” I’m stunned. “No fool and no angel. I just save the tonguelashing for when we're alone. Not gonna do that anymore.” He gets up, dusting off his jeans. “There’s a coffee shop over there, really good hot chocolate.”


“Um, thanks, what are you doing here anyway? Hardly seems the place for the Stud of Liberty Avenue.”


“Needed to clear my head.” He checks the time. “He’s going to be locking up soon, did you drive or you going for the hot chocolate?”


“I drove, but will be back, it’s a nice place.” I say nothing about him carrying my case. 


“Good night, Mr Kinney.” A young man calls out. 


“See you, Mattie.” He replies. 


“So you gave him a job after? There I was thinking the head that needed clearing was attached to your neck.”


“And there I was thinking we were bonding.” He stares for a few seconds. “Welcome to Hazure Park, it’s mine. A little haven. I love the space, it’s quiet apart from the ducks.”


“You keep to your side of our haven and I’ll keep to mine, okay?” I declare. He pauses, then hands me a key. “What’s this?”


“For the gate. I’ll get another cut.”  


Before I can say I was joking, he sprints off, leaving me flabbergasted, but grateful.

End of flashback


“Definitely need to go feed the ducks!” I declare, trotting upstairs, at the landing I do a double take. “Are you joking?!”


Turning to his room, I see the door is ajar. “Michael!” I yell and enter. “You will not spotlight that fucking statue!” 


He’s lucky he’s not in, as I see how he treats my home! There are three cups, a bowl and half empty box of cereal. 


“What a shithead! When the hell did he take it? I wasted 90 minutes replacing that!” 


Even though the aroma is seeping into my pores, I don’t open the window. However, curiosity is getting the better of me. Making my way to the comics, I flick one open - instant regret! They’re porn, well read judging by the dog-ears. If only Lindsay knew what she was really arguing the case for!


I glance at the TV. It’s off, so where’s the moaning coming from? Making my way towards it, I see it’s his laptop. My immediate thought of disgust is not because it’s gay porn, but because it’s bad gay porn! It looks like it’s from the 80s!  


I back out, making sure I left things as I found them, and head to my office. Time to follow through.


JOHN AND PETER’S HOSPITAL SUITE - AN HOUR LATER


JOHN.  


I look at Peter, he’s as shocked as I am. “You got married?” 


“Yeah. Are you guys okay with that?” Uncle Justin asks, fiddling with his cuffs.


“You’re not wearing a ring.” Peter states, trying to look serious, but I know my bro. He’s as delighted as me! 


“They’re here.” Uncle Brian pulls out his chain. He places it in Peter’s lap, whilst Uncle Justin gives me his. “We don’t want to wear them for now.”


“Uncle Justin asked you, didn't he?” I grin. They grin back. “How’d Michael and Lindsay take it?”


“We’re not telling them until we're ready.” Uncle Brian replies, placing the chain back around Uncle Justin’s neck. “This is really too long, you look like a medallion man.”


“As I said, Mr Taylor-Kinney, I will put it on the other chain when I get it.” 


“Why can’t I just buy you another one?” He grumbles, pulling him closer. “I got you the one you’re looking for, remember?”


“I do remember and that’s why. It was the first thing you bought me. And I’m not looking for it, it’s at Emmett’s in his safe. I was going to get it when everything happened.”


“I see. Well, we’ll get it on the way home.” They turn to us. “You’re the only people that know, so can you keep quiet about it?”


“We can.” Peter nods, then points. “Not so sure about Uncle Emmett.” 


EMMETT


“Auntie Ems, remember?!” I quickly shut the door. “I’m so happy, and I’ll be quiet about you, if you’re quiet about me!” I babble.


“What have you done, Emsy, or should that be who?” Justin asks, looking thrilled. “And why didn't you tell me you felt that way?”


“Felt what way?” Brian asks, then looks between us. “Well I’ll be frigged, when did that happen and how?”


“Before I tell you, do I have your words?”


“Yes, yes, now sit down and tell us!” Peter declares. Chuckling, we get comfy. “Now, just to be clear, you’ve got with Uncle Ben, not some random from those laughable dates?” I go beet red. “I wasn’t always asleep. So, how did it finally happen?”

 

“Well, it was a few days back. He and Brandon came over. I was supposed to go over the night they kicked Michael out.”


Start of flashback

EMMETT’S LOUNGE - EVENING


“Oh, I am so glad you’re over and out of that, Benjamin! You deserve someone non-judgy, unselfish, compassionate, loving, loyal, understanding and respectful!”


“And called Emmett?”


“And called me?” I blink a couple of times, Brandon is incredulous. “Sorry, what’s happening?”


“You and me.”


“Damn!” Brandon breathes.


“You and, and me?” I stammer, he nods. “My heart’s flammering so I’m dreaming, I must be!”


“Flammering?” He frowns. “Is this a good thing?”


“Fluttering and hammering in hope, so flammering, yes good. Are you serious?”


“Serious enough to seek advice from Carl about it. Look, I know this has come as a shock and stuff, so I’m going to leave you to think about it. I mean if you can take all of this, with my HIV and everything. You’re gonna get blasted by Michael and Lindsay for remaining my friend, let alone the things that I’d like us to do. Can we meet on Wednesday? I’ve got to go with Carl to Black Cat Market during the day, but in the evening, maybe, if you want to, or you can just say no now and I’ll move states.”


Brandon and I exchange amused looks, whilst Ben shuffles flame faced. “Mind if I step in a second?”


“Not at all.”


“Ow!” Ben yelps when Brandon slaps the back of his head. 


“Ben, he’s gotten closer with each word, has been looking adoringly at you throughout that stream of bullshit consciousness, and doesn’t give a flying fuck about Michael or Lindsay!”


“Could you turn around, please, Ben?” He frowns but does so. He gasps as I kiss where Brandon slapped him. When he turns back, his eyes are sparkling and rivals Justin for the brightness of his smile. “I shall be accompanying you on Wednesday to the Black Cat Market, I suspect.” 


“Why?”


“Because I’m also going with Carl, but he’s been dropping heavy hints that something might come up and would I mind going by myself. Oh, that man, I shall hug him to death!” I take his hand and kiss it. “He's been coming on my dates to sound a guy out and turned me off every single one.”


“Oh.”


“In fact, he said that he had the perfect guy for me, but it might take a minute or so.”


“This is the minute. Kiss so I can go to bed, lonely but happy!” Brandon orders, so we do!

End of flashback


PETER


They all look so happy, I breathe deep. “Do you think she knew and that’s why she hit me more?” John puts his arm around me. “You know, right?”


“Yeah, bro, I know.” He kisses my cheek. “And she didn’t, she was just jealous of your talent, and furious over your refusal to share it with her.”


“She took it away anyway.” I sniff, looking at my still bandaged hands.


“Don’t give her that hold over you! You will heal and you will begin again.” He states. “We’ll all help you get back to where you were, fuck that, to be even better!” 


BRIAN


Justin and I are on either side of Peter, holding him as he sobs, Emmett comforts John. We're all struggling, but Peter doesn’t need our tears now. 


After twenty minutes, he slows to quietly sniffling. Justin clears his throat. “Boys, Uncle Brian and I need to talk about something, nothing to do with you. I just, no, sorry. I’m wrong. You are going to be part of our lives, so this affects you too.” My heart pounds. Even though we’ve not talked about it since he tossed them in the fire, I hope this is what he’s going to say. “Lindsay wants Brian to be the father for her and Mel. But as well as you boys, we want our own baby, but not with Lindsay carrying for us, so she can get her baby from someone else. However, what do you think about Mel being the Mom?”


“Oh yeah, she’ll be awesome!” Peter exclaims. “And after what those four put us through, we want to be there when you tell her.”


“Which four, I thought it was just Michael and Lindsay who took you back?” Emmett asks, as he pours water.


“There were two other women. One bragged she was an attorney who had contacts.” John sneers. “She was the reason we went with them, she said she’d take us to jail if we didn’t.”

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks

Nina and Brandon to the Rescue by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 13 - NINA AND BRANDON TO THE RESCUE 


JUSTIN


Before we can react to that news, Dijon pokes his head through. “Ah, you’re here, excellent! I’ve got great news!”


Brian blinks a couple of times, then smiles. “Can we bring them home?”


“At the weekend.” He grins. “I will come over on Tuesday, if that works for you all?”


“It will work.” Brian asserts, his grin starting to slip. “This is another important person in our boys' lives, Emmett Honeycutt, or Auntie Ems.”


“Very Wizard of Oz.” Dijon drawls, hand outstretched, but Emmett’s still shook. “You okay there?” 


“Are you serious about that?” Emmett whispers.


“Uh, look I’m sorry if I’ve offended you. It was just a joke.”


“Emmett!” Brian nudges him.


“Hi-hi!” He exclaims, pasting a grin on and pumping Dijon’s hand. Judging by the wincing, way too much. “Well, lots to talk about, you know, boy things, um we’ll see you later!”


“I need all of me to leave.” He replies, prying his hand free. He glances around the room once more before leaving.


“So now what?” Emmett sniffs, pushing the beds together. “Let me in the middle so I can hug you both.” 


I pull Brian’s face towards me, I see what he’s thinking. “You can’t. Promise me you won’t.”


He takes several deep breaths. “I promise, but they will pay. Funny how they didn’t mention that.”


“Hilarious. Now boys…” I turn to them. “...this is another thing you need to keep quiet whilst we figure out what to do, okay?”


“Oh for crying out loud!” Emmett exclaims. “Will you stop that?!” 


“Stop what?!” Brian growls.


“Not you, her! Come on out, I can smell you!” 


“You make me sound like a fart!” Aunt Lula scowls as she steps from the shadows. “So these are them, huh? Well aren’t you gorgeous; may I sit?” We're too flabbergasted to do anything but nod. “My name is Lula, you can call me Granny Lula, and whatever you say to me, stays with me, unless it's to do with your health and Dijon needs to know. So what am I keeping quiet about?” After the boys finish she's silent for a few seconds. “You need to tell Dijon and I will tell Debs. Hear me out. Dijon is for you two, especially Brian - for your therapy, your anger. It will come out and whatever that promise is about, talking to Dijon will help you keep it. As for Debs, as your Moms, yes both of you, she needs to know and will understand why you asked me to say.” She leaves the room for a few minutes, coming back in with a basket and Dijon. “I’ll serve.”


AN HOUR LATER


JOHN


“It’s my first one.” I stroke my stomach. “So delicious.”


“Many more of those babies to come.” Granny Lula hands  me some tea. “To help that settle down, for the speed you ate that it might start kicking.” I take it giggling. Peter is savouring his food. “So anything you never want to eat again?”


“Liver and kidney.” We state together. “Weren’t allowed to leave a scrap of it. White bread, you know that pappy kind. This was so good.” I look longingly at the slices on Peter’s plate, she moves them to the other side with a smirk. “Where’d you get the butter from? So you can tell Uncle Brian, oh wait, is it very expensive? Oh thank you!” I beam at Uncle Justin as he gives me one of his. 


“Homemade.” She smiles, forking more chicken for Peter. “We need to find room for herb, vegetable and fruit patches. Got the magic touch when it comes to growing vittles.” She watches him eat. “You like to cook, don’t you?” He nods. “Good, you can be my helper. You can tend the patches with me, John.” 


We turn to the door. Uncle Brian and Dijon return, both looking a lot calmer than earlier. “Is there anything left?” Dijon asks. “Your stomach settled enough to eat now, Brian?” He nods, sitting next to Uncle Justin, who hands him his plate, whispering something that makes him blush. “You might as well have shouted that from the rooftops, Justin.” Dijon sniggers as he helps himself. “So, I shall be there on the weekend instead because your Uncle Brian wants to ask you a question, go on.”


“Is there anything you want from there?” 


Peter nods. We’d talked about it when we were alone, both scared that he would say no. “It’s his graphites and charcoals. I know you can get new stuff for us.”


“But I saved for it.” Peter continues. “They were the first things that I ever bought. You understand, don’t you? Please say you’ll try and find them?”


“Of course we will.” Uncle Brian holds him as tightly-gently as he can. “What about you, John?” I blush and mutter. “What is it, don’t be embarrassed about yourself ever, promise?”


“Promise. And it's my teddy bear. Find him and you’ll find Peter’s pencils, they’re in a space behind the cupboard wall.” Peter stares at me. “We always knew when it was coming, always. I’d hide them. But when we got to the room, it was ransacked, so they may have found them.”


“Come on.” Uncle Justin stands. “Let’s go now.” 


THE DINER - AN HOUR LATER


CARL


“So where is your boyfriend?” I tease Vic, who turns his nose up. “You’ve met my girlfriend.”


“She’s my sister!” He laughs whilst stroking Cat, who has officially moved in.


“Not the point. When?” I demand.


“Tell you later.” He growls, sliding out of the booth and leaving Cat bereft. 


“Hi, Carl.” Michael smiles as he sits. “Who’s this?” His attempt to make friends is firmly ignored, he tries again. Cat hisses, flashing a sheathed paw. “Should that animal be in here?” He clasps his hands to his chest. “You should have him declawed. He almost took my eye out.”


I scowl at his dramatics and that cruel suggestion. “Who are you meeting?”


“Meeting here? Nobody, just pre-gaming before Woody’s. What's special?”


“Kitchen’s closed.” I retort, inwardly smiling as Cat stretching out on the table has him shrinking back slightly. “The boys aren’t out yet.”


“What boys?” He frowns then scowls. “You mean Brian and the supposed Rage Writer?” 


“No, you dolt!” Vic shouts. “He means John and Peter. How could you have forgotten the hurt you caused, or does your memory only work when you’re trying to soft soap your best friend?!” 


He turns to Vic. “Brian’s not the only person with problems, you know!” He slams his fist on the table, making Cat growl. He scoots out of the booth. “You and I need to talk about that punch. I have a bruise.”


“I’m sorry.” Vic states, much to his surprise. “I was trying to break your ribs!” 


“How can you even say that, knowing what Brian went through?” He gasps, then yelps when Cat swipes his wrist. “I’m calling animal control!” He cries, staggering into the counter. “He’s most probably got rabies!”


“There’s not been a case of rabies from cats in over 40 years.” Vic retorts. “He’s had all his shots and gave you fair warning that you were upsetting him. And shouldn't you be worried about your dealings with the authorities?”


“What authorities?” He snipes, inspecting this wrist, I can see two marks. As he dabs he gurns and grimaces.


“Child services.” Vic leans against the booth, he stops dabbing. “Obviously they had to be called. I’m sure they’ll be in touch soon enough.” 


“And we’ll be waiting for them. We did nothing wrong.” Before he can espouse further, Ben walks through to the kitchen without a word. Michael snarkily watches him, then turns to Vic. “Give him a message, well more of a warning. I shall see him in court, I’m suing him for my share of the house! Loretta is confident I will win as his common-law husband.” Of course he says this loudly, in the hopes that Ben will come out, scowling when he doesn’t. 


“I’d like to see her argue that.” Mel titters as she joins us. “Hey, Cat, how are you, sweetheart?” He purrs loudly at her tickling. “I don’t suppose I can grab some of the lamb ribs from the fridge, if you have any? Leda’s keen to try them.”


“Yeah, there’s some part-cooked, help yourself, honey.” I smile.


“Oh, they sound great! How long are they going to take to do?” 


Before she can answer, Ben comes out. He greets her and Vic with a kiss. “Thanks, Carl, really appreciate it.” 


“Appreciate what?” I frown.


“The lamb. Just bumped into Debs, she was getting some. Said she’d call you and let you know that I was coming to collect them.”


“Ah, I just said Mel can have them.”


“Give it to me. Like he said, that’s our dinner!” Michael clicks his fingers. 


“Our dinner? You’re not invited.” Mel retorts. “It's okay Ben, Leda and I can order take out.”


“Well since it's just you two, you can join me and Brandon if you like?”


“We like!” Mel beams. “Let me get her to bring the wine. Are you going now?”


“Excuse me, but you’re supposed to be meeting Leda in Woody’s!”


“Plans change.” Mel replies. “Can I take the call there?” She nods at the kitchen, I wave her through. “Ben, I’ll bell you in ten.”


“Excellent. See you Vic, Carl!” He strides towards the door. “Hey, Debs, have a good evening.”


VIC


“Well doesn’t he look chipper?” Debs declares, putting down the shopping. “That place was rammed! Thank goodness Lula had things on order. Now, before I do anything else, I’m gonna face-fuck some coffee. Move Michael.”


“Since when are you friendly with him?”


“Since when do you tell me who to be friends with?” She glares. My fist is itching to give him a fat lip.


“Your loyalty should be to me, not my conniving ex.” He spouts.


“Michael, there’s only one man that can get on my tits, his name is Carl.” Her grin widens at the sickened look he sports, knife twisting time!


“Well said, Sis! Now you’ve already got a fuckton of problems, want to add her to the list?”


“I can’t believe how people are treating me. I’m the victim!”


“Of your own circumstances!” Mel snaps. “However, I’ve removed one problem for you. See you at my home. Bye everyone!” 


“What do you mean?!” He shouts at the closing door before hurrying through, hollering her name. He returns cursing. “Ben was waiting to pick her up!”


MICHAEL


“This is not funny!” I bark, pacing as I wait for Lindsay to answer. “Hey, it’s me. Mel and Leda are having a cosy dinner with Ben and Brandon at my old home now. I know, disgusting isn’t it? Let’s grab a take out and go home!” I scowl at their sneering faces. “Seems that Mel has taken a leaf out of Justin’s book. I feel sorry for Lindsay, after all the years she’s given her. Thanks to Loretta, Dusty and I, she’s going to have all the support she needs.” 


“Go comfort her then, look forward to the announcement of your poly-relationship!” Ma bitches. “Come on, Cat, let’s get you fed.”


“Enjoy that creature while you can. Look what he did!” I hold up my wrist, she adjusts him in her arms, shaking her head. “You weren’t there. Even though they will deny it, he did claw me!”


“I was there, you’ve had those two moles since birth.”


I can still hear them laughing as I go to meet Lindsay at work. She’s locking up as I get there.


“I just spoke to Dusty and told her about that tete-a-tete, she wants to join us for dinner. So we're passing by Woody's to get some wine first.”


“Chocolate Box?” I bat my eyes. “Two bottles?”


“Oh that sounds great. Let me ask her to get them instead. It always tastes better when someone else is paying, doesn’t it?”


“Yep!” I grin.


BRITIN - SUNDAY MORNING


PETER AND JOHN’S ROOM


PETER


I open my eyes and look across at John. Scowling, I shuffle up then swing myself out of bed. It takes two kicks to his ankle for him to turn on his side, my ears rejoice as his foghorn snoring stops. 


“Seriously, we need to get those sinuses checked out.” I grumble, then smile as I find the racket comforting. “This place is incredible, just incredible” 


It was such a whirlwind yesterday, I didn’t take everything in properly. We’ve each got a queen bed, a fully loaded computer table and bookshelves. Mine has my art stuff on top, John’s has his bear. We both cried when Uncle Brian gave them to us. Our walk-in is one side, Auntie Em said he’s in charge of stocking that, and the en suite is the other - to have a long soak was great.


“Morning bro.” John mumbles, wiping his drool and sitting up. “You sleep okay?” I nod. “Let’s check who else is awake.”


Five minutes later, we're in the bathroom. He beams proudly as I brush my teeth. 


“You gonna be okay to shower?” Although nervous, I nod. “Let me go first, just in case.”  


“Fine, I’ll make the beds.”


“Proud of you, bro. So proud.”


TWENTY MINUTES LATER 


BACK GARDEN


BRIAN


I kick the swing chair off again, he squirrels deeper into my side. “Lula is making pancakes I think.” He mumbles. 


“Mmm. I need to get a trainer soon. Yes, I know I’ve got the gym, I need someone to make me use it!” I chuckle. “She’s very persuasive food wise.”


“True, however, they’re all super healthy meals, except at the weekend.” Him playing with my buckle means something big. He sits up. “Vic called. Michael says he is going to take Ben to court for the house because he’s his common-law husband. I’m going to help him fight that, as in I will get him an attorney.”


“Yeah, there’s no way Lindsay won’t give her hell if Mel helps. I can recommend someone else for you.” He kisses me thoroughly. “Save your money and fretting, he won’t get far since the house is Brandon’s, not Ben’s.”


“Oh thank fuck. Though how did you know that?” He smiles, relaxing back into position.


“Had to run a finance check on him.” He matches my sly grin. “Yeah, I lied to Michael by omission, outrageous behaviour.”


“Which shall be rewarded.” Our tongues duel, we stop before that reward needs to be claimed now. “Think the boys are awake?”


“With that smell, only someone suffering from anosmia wouldn't be.” On cue, my stomach grumbles. “Let’s go check on them.”


We smile at the sounds of their voices in the kitchen. As we enter, I have to hold back my whooping. Peter is  cracking the eggs whilst John pours the milk in the bowl. 


“Have some fruits. Breakfast will be outside.” Lula declares as she turns the waffles. “We can plan our patches.” 


“Did you boys sleep well?” Justin asks as we sit and feed each other strawberries. They nod, focused on their tasks. “Great. Dijon will be here at about 11.00.” 


“Where did you go yesterday evening, Uncle Justin?”


“Our other house, it’s behind this one.”


“Why do you have two?” Peter frowns. After we explain, he sighs. “Think of all that money you could’ve saved if you just talked to each other.” 


“Yeah, hindsight and all that.” I titter.


“Uncle Justin, how long did it take you to start drawing again?” 


He hides his surprise. “To be honest, Peter, a long time, but that was because of my stubbornness. Thinking I could do it myself, my way. It set me back almost six months. However, once I followed the advice, I was drawing again within a year and back to my best within another.”


He tearfully puts down the eggs and leaves. We're at a loss as to what to do, when he returns with a pad, which he places between us. “I want to get back to that.” 


Although I want to open it first, it has to be Justin. I must, as Dijon said, let him be the lead in his recovery, as he can empathise more. As we look through, we're in awe. “Wow, just wow, we will do anything to help you.”


“I have carpal tunnel, started a few years back.” Lula announces. “And Nina Simone was my saviour, specifically My Baby Just Cares for Me.” She rolls her eyes and starts to hum the tune, she scowls at our continued perplexity. “The intro, I played that to get my wrists and fingers supple.”


“Of course!” Justin exclaims. “They said it would help, but I refused.”


“Refused what?” I demand.


“To use the piano. Because my father insisted that I had lessons, but then I was bashed and that was my one act of stubborn defiance. Foolish, as ironically I always wanted to learn, but I just wanted it…”


“To be your choice?” John suggests, he nods. “Then how about you and Peter have lessons? Surely there must be someone who can teach you?”


“I know just the person.” I grin, reaching for my phone. “Hey Brandon, need to ask you a favour.”


End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.

The Voice by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 14 - THE VOICE


MEL AND LINDSAY’S KITCHEN 


LINDSAY


“Oh, you’re up, are you?” I sneer at Mel as she enters. “Why did you sleep in your clothes?!”


“Because I didn't have PJs.” She replies, after draining a bottle of water. “What a night. How was yours?” 


“Spent worrying that you were dead in a ditch somewhere!” 


“I crossed your mind? Was it when you were shooting pool in Woody’s, or dancing in Checkers?” She grabs a handful of cereal and another bottle. “Where’d Dusty sleep?”


“Dusty went where you should’ve been - home!” I snap. “Why didn’t you come and join us instead of watching from the sidelines?!”

 

“Wasn’t there. Got told of your exploits.” She crunches loudly. “This actually isn’t bad. Why are you washing the bedding? I only changed them yesterday.” She opens the machine, letting the acrid smell fill the room as she finishes her water. “Bet that killed the mood; I keep telling you to line your stomach before a major rager. Guess we live to love another day. Gonna hop in the shower, then get some work done.”


As I slam the machine door, I snap a nail off. “For fuck sake!” I break another opening the window. Michael’s return with Advil and liver salts saves her ass for now!


“Crawled back unrepentant, has she?” He croaks whilst mixing the salts. A few minutes later, I am feeling much better as my stomach starts to settle. “Did she say where she was?”


“No, just that she, Leda no doubt, didn’t have PJs! Irritatingly, she knows we were in Woody’s and Checkers.” I retort. “And about me being sick. She was so smug about the latter.”


“Pity, pile her with guilt for staying out with Leda, Ben and his thuggy brother would make our hangovers more bearable.” He grouses. “Still don’t see why Dusty didn’t want to grab a takeout. If she did, then you wouldn't have been so ill.”


“She needed to unwind after their behaviour, I guess.” I relax when I hear the bathroom door shut. “Tell me again what Vic said.”


“The authorities are coming to talk to us about what happened. Don’t see why since we weren’t there. They should hire a medium if they want to speak to anyone about that.”


“Please don’t make me laugh.” I wince. “I think I can face coffee now, what about you?”


“I just need cereal.” He grabs a bowl. “Hey, what happened to my Captain Crunch?”


“Mel had some.” 


“She had it all! Why not just throw the box away?” He heads to the stairs. “Mel! You need to buy me some more cereal! And ask before you take my stuff. Mel! Did you hear me?!” 


“She’s in the bathroom.” I grouch. He pouts as he dumps the box; we like to bite back at her when she breaks her own rules. “Tell her again later.”


“I will. Whilst she’s washing away her guilt, let’s try Brian.” He answers quickly but we can’t hear him above the chattering and laughter. “Brian, it’s Michael and Lindsay!” 


“Let me go outside.” He takes a few seconds. “How are your heads?”


“Our heads?” I frown.


“Uncle Vic said you were in Woody’s then Crackers.” 


“Ah, so that’s who was telling tales!” I scowl. “How are you all doing? Sounds like you’ve having fun.”


“We are. Hang on.” More muffled conversations. “So what did you call for?”


MICHAEL


“To check in with our best friend and his nephews.” I close the door. “We’d like to apologise to them in person. Would it be okay?”


“Yeah, I guess. Let me speak to them and let you know when. I’ll call you later, Mikey.”


“Okay, Brian.”


“Bye, Peter.”


“Bye, Wendy.”


We high five each other. “We’re back where we belong!” I grin. “Notice how he wasn’t mentioned? Once our apologies have been accepted, we get rid of that irritant like we did the last time!”


“After Brian gives me the baby he promised!” She smirks. 


“Oh yeah, him seeing you with Brian’s child and me as the godfather should have him fucking off in no time!”


BRIAN AND JUSTIN’S HOUSE


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


“How long have you been able to mimic Brian?” Aunt Lula is incredulous.


“Always, just never had a reason to do it again.” 


“How many times have you done it?” Peter demands. “Did you know he could, Uncle Brian?”


He strokes his chin. “Nope, though I know when he last did.” 


“You sent Michael to Portland?!” Aunt Lula hoots. “Emmett told me all about that!” 


“We need to talk.” He waves me ahead of him. “Nobody panic, we’re fine.”


MASTER BEDROOM - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


His face is buried in the pillow. I stroke his ass and lick my lips as he cums. Once his breathing slows, he pulls up his sweats, his back towards me. “It’s your thing for me, isn’t it?”


“Yes, my hero, it is.” I turn back the sheets. Once he's settled I curl around him. “I wondered who it was. He’d gone on and on about going away, but Portland was strange. When the snowstorm grounded all the flights in and out, I was so happy; especially since he couldn't complain about it. You picked the place with the worst weather?”


“Yea and I’m not sorry. I did feel a bit guilty when Debs was fretting.”


“I would've, and will, edge you if you apologise for anything you do to him that benefits me.”


“Them. And duly noted.”


“As for Debs, she was missing her fix, since they spoke about four times a day then. So what are we gonna do about those Gordian Knots? In order for this to work, I have to be in on it.” He yawns and flings over a leg. “Let me text Brandon, push him back till later.”


“No, I'll jump in the shower then have some coffee.” I hold tighter. “Brian?”


“Let me push him back.” I assert, he kisses my neck; he responds immediately. “See, he’s fine with it. Just half an hour, I promise to wake you.” 


“Hmm.” He sighs. “Gordian Knots are and why rimming?”


“Challenging and daunting problems that need to be resolved decisively and finally. Why rimming? Have you seen your ass?” He flicks my chin. “Two reasons, rimming makes you cum quickly; I like making you cum quick. Second, that was the thing I wanted to do most when we first met.”


“Why didn’t you? With hindsight, I would’ve let you.”


“We wouldn't be here if I did.”


“Hmm. Can you make it forty five?” 


“You came twice.”


“Okay, two hours.” 


BEN AND BRANDON’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


BRANDON


I hang up again on Michael. If he thinks that I was a bastard before, after his crank calling of both me and Ben early this morning, he’ll find that it was a cock-tease compared to what’s coming. 


Oh man, I wish I hadn’t thought that! I got so creeped out by his crotch-gazing after Brian and I screwed, that I never used the bathroom when we were alone. Just in case he accidentally walked in!


“What is Brian pushing you back from?” Ben asks from the stove.


“Helping him buy a piano.” He gives a knowing smile. “Which means?”


“It's for Peter and Justin. When he was bashed, he was told to play, but got stubborn and refused. He loves him so much.” 


“Are you still jealous?”


“Not anymore. They were prepared to let the other live their lives. The twerps wanted happiness for each other at the cost of their own.”


“Were you ever happy with Michael?”


“At first. He had a cuteness about him, then he got less cute. But, and I’m ashamed of this, it annoyed Justin that I was with him. I was pissed when he didn’t come to the wedding.”


“You didn't want to marry him?!”


“At the time, yes, but then on our honeymoon, I knew I’d made a mistake; especially when he asked Brian to come.”


“Asshole!” I growl. 


“Even worse, when I asked him who he was talking to, he said Debs.”


“Why the hell did you stay?” I turn him to face me. “Not because of your status?”


“A little. Then it happened.”


“What?”


“I almost cheated.” He closes my jaw. “A fellow teacher, he knew about me, status and all, didn't care. Just saw me as someone he wanted, which was a refreshing change.”


“Why didn’t you?”


“I was heading to his room when he called…”


“Michael is a mood killer at the best of times!”


“Not Michael, Emmett. He was lamenting being stood up; wanting to hear a friendly voice. Instead of getting laid, I spent the evening watching a movie with him on the phone.” He flips the eggs with a smile. “You know, he graduated with honours in math?”


“I did not. How do you?” 


“Because he does our taxes. Although he fixed it so that I always got the rebate.” 


“Smart and handsome.” I tease, but there’s something in his smile. “So, can I be the best man, or will that fall to Justin?”


“We haven’t even kissed yet!” He laughs. “You going to go to the park that Mel told you about?”


“Yeah. See you in an hour or so.”


HAZURE PARK - FORTY MINUTES LATER


BRANDON


“Why the fuck weren’t you looking where you were going?!” I splutter.


“Same to you! Aww look what you’ve done! These were brand new!” 


“As were mine!”


“You’re replacing them!” I steam.


“I’ll stop off in Best Buy on my way home!” He spits.


“What are you two doing in there?” I turn to a smirking Vic. “Who wants a hand first?”


“Me, he can get out by himself!” I wring out my shirt.  “I’ll see you later, Vic. As for you, I hope to never see you again!”


“Likewise!” He snipes. 


“Come back!” Vic shouts. 


I stop stalking but hold my ground. “Why are you helping that?!” 


“Because Brian and Lula don’t like fighting.” He beckons me closer. “Much better. Brandon, this is Dijon, and vice versa.” 


“The therapist?” I ask, my anger starting to wane.


“The bedmate?” He gives me the once over. “You better in bed than jogging?”


“Dijon, he's going to help Peter.” He looks sceptical. “By giving them piano lessons.” His sour look fades. “Plus, he’s Ben’s brother.”


DIJON


“Who’s them?” I frown.


“Justin as well, he’s always wanted to play.” Vic explains. “So how’d you ended up here and in the pond, Brandon?”


“He knocked me in and she gave me her key…oh fuck!” He exclaims. “Let’s hope it's not completely sunk!”


I follow him to the edge. “It was my fault, was running backwards.”


He steps in. “Me too.”


“I’ll bring the car around!” Vic calls. “Taking you to mine then home. You’ve got to meet her, Dijon!”


“Okay!” I return, then look around. “Think we went in there.” He nods. We head over then feel around in silence.


“Who told you about me and Brian?”


“Justin.” I regard his wading, his muscles ripple nicely. “Who do I need to meet?”


“Debs, his sister. Got something!” I join him by the reeds. “My bud! So the key has to be here!” We meticulously pick our way through. After ten minutes, all we find is his other one and my case. “Maybe it floated out.” He sighs.


“Found it. How are you with swans?” I keep my voice low.


“Swans?” He looks where I’m staring, groaning as it makes its way up the bank trying to flick the lanyard off its foot. “They can break an arm!” 


“Only if they're feeling threatened!” I counter, as the swan settles by the base of an oak. “Is your phone dry?” 


“Yeah, why?” 


“Call your friend, obviously.” 


FIVE MINUTES LATER


BRANDON


“Hey, we have a problem.” 


“What precinct? Don’t say anything to anyone!” She declares just as I put her on speaker!


“Not that kind of problem!” I fume at Dijon’s smirking. “Am at the park, some moron pushed me into the pond and now your key’s wrapped round the foot of a swan!” 


“I’m not a moron!” He hisses.


“Dijon?”


“Mel?” 


“Yeah, um, so the key?”


“Like I said, round a swan’s foot. Wait a second, how did you get in, this is always closed?” 


“You left the gate unlocked.” His smarming makes me flush. “I don’t suppose you’ve got a spare?” 


“Nope. If it’s got grey feathers and is a bit chubby, he’s harmless. Honks a good game, but very lazy. Just get carrot cake from the cafe, it’s his fave. One feeds, the other fetches; you just have to call him.”


“I’m great with animals.” He boasts. “What’s his name?”


“Mr Fatcock.” She snickers. “Make sure the cake has lots of cream!” 


“Okay, Dr Doolittle.” I titter as I hang up. “Talk to the animal!”


VIC’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


RODNEY


“Mr Fatcock?!” I hoot. “I can’t wait to meet Brian!” 


“Ah, you’re gonna love him.” Debs smiles. “Just going to see what’s taking them so long.” She’s not long. “They’ll be five minutes; arguing the finer points of earbuds and cases!” She grins.


“It is so good to finally meet you two.” I state, pouring tea. “We're definitely going on a double date.”


“Great!” Carl grins, reaching across for her phone. “That was close!”


“Why not let it go to voicemail?” I frown, having watched them do this since they got here.


“Because he’d fill it up.” Vic grimaces. “That’s his thing; sounds so fucking smug when he does!”


“What you need to do is auto forward him.” We turn to Dijon. “He won’t see it, just need an old number, set that up with a voicemail similar to your current one; let him run his mouth there.”


“That’s genius!” Brandon exclaims. “You ain‘t just a pretty face.”


“No I’m not, me and that goose have something in common!” He brags.


“Yeah, I noticed.” Brandon returns.


“Go home to flirt and smoulder!” Carl orders.


They look at each other. “You coming?” Dijon asks.


“Hope to be.” He replies, steering him out the door.

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing, thanks

The Women Who Plot and Keep Their Counsel by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 15 - THE WOMEN WHO PLOT AND KEEP THEIR COUNSEL


DINER - EARLY EVENING


LULA


As I wave the delivery guy off, Cat chirrups and weaves around my ankles. 


“You’re late!” I grumble, having been calling him for the last 30 minutes. Another set of eyes get my attention, slowly the owner appears. “Oh I see, well come on if you’re coming!” I holler, they don’t move. “Would you mind?” I prompt, heading inside. 


A minute later, our visitor is making their way across the counter. I check them out; he’s very fluffy but in need of a bath; who accepts a stroke. “Much too thin, should’ve brought him earlier!” I chide. He chirrups again and he joins him by the bowls. Ten minutes later, they are both dozing in the basket and I’m unpacking the beers I ordered from Ale Asylum. 


“Hey!” Debs smiles as she enters. “Vic’s just…ooh who’s that?”


“Up to Carl to name him.” I hand her a beer. “You need to persuade him on this.”


She takes a couple of swallows. “Ooh that’s gonna be an easy sell.” I wave another, she nods. “Where’s it from?” She checks out the pot. “What kind of chicken is that; how close to cooked?”


“Ale Asylum in Wisconsin, I know a guy. Semur and about ten minutes. Were you going to say Vic was parking?” I frown.


“Of course you do!” She takes out a spoon. “No, he's talking to Rodney.” She tastes the sauce. “So good, this from Wisconsin too?”


“No, from Justin. Semur is in France…” I smile at the memory of the conversation. “...he had it there and got a hankering when Peter found a recipe for it. Said I’d give it a dry run first. Hey Vic, have a beer then taste that.”


“Could murder one!” He sighs. “Michael called the second I hung up from Rodney, doing his trick again!”


“What trick?” I hand it to him. “That’s the Bamboozelator, which is tequila and chardonnay barrel aged. Debs, you’ve got the Pantheon, it’s bourbon aged. Do you think the boys will like them?”


“Absolutely.” Vic nods. “Open the Pantheon for me, please! As for the trick, he keeps trying to get your voicemail in order to fill it so you have to call him. Forgot to do the auto forward thing that Dijon mentioned. Done now.” 


“Why didn’t Dijon tell Brian and Justin about that, buy them some peace.” I gripe.


“He got distracted.” Debs starts on a piece of chicken, I glare. “He and Brandon went to get acquainted.”


“Still no excuse, caring comes before cock.” I huff. “Does it pass muster, Vic?”


“What else is this about?” He eyes me over his bottle, Debs pendulum glances between us. “Ems says you always do something good when you want to tell something bad. So?”


“He flaps too much.” I grouse. “Plate up and let’s talk.”


THIRTY MINUTES LATER


DEBS


“Okay we don’t tell Mel; but we must tell Carl - sure he can help somehow. He loves all four of them so much; Peter and John are pretty much his grandchildren.”


“We have to tell Rodney too.” Vic stabs a piece of chicken so hard it skitters to the floor. Cat's delighted. He sashays to the kitchen, which eases the tension a little. “He has friends in higher places than her in the Courthouse.” He stabs again, Cat and friend poke their heads out, Lula snatches the fork. “You think she’s got the same designs as Dusty, but on Mel?”


“Mel?! She’d have no chance, and I’ve never met the unit!” Lula declares.


“Unit?” We echo.


“Hmm. That’s what Peter called her, said it’s how she acted like a guy but doesn’t have a ween.”


“Eunuch!” He chortles, taking the fork back. 


“That makes more sense.” She smiles. “Eunuch, Uhauler, Ugly-Iggy; what’s Lindsay gonna be?”


“Ursula!” Vic declares. “She’s a bully and thinks she should be queen. And according to Mel, sometimes her attitude stinks like rotten fish!”


“Sure she said attitude?” I snipe.


“Sis!” 


“Perfect!” Lula cackles. “Now we…for fuck sake, it’s Michael. Don’t look and get down!”


VIC


Debs is livid as her having her back to him means she can’t peek without being seen.


“Told you not to wear that wig!” I tease her, I feel the finger rising.  


“Details!” She hisses.


“He’s seen me and is heading to the door. One second…” Lula flips over her phone, texting at great speed. “…gonna introduce him to someone! Vic, you slide across and tell Debs what’s happening.”


Him looking at his phone means he misses Lula’s escape. He looks confused. I fume when my mine rings. 


“Give it!” Debs orders. “Brian, honey, all good. Great, need to call you back!” It’s on silent when it’s slid back. “What’s he doing?’ She gets her answer when hers buzzes. 


“You should see his face!” I spit as he leans against the door, radiating slappability. “Looks like Lula’s friend is coming.” 


“For crap sake, be descriptive! Think of it as the phone sex you and Rodney were indulging in this morning!”


“Stop eavesdropping!”  


“Be quieter or have sex. Now tell me what’s happening!”


“The guy has given Michael the once over. He’s not noticed, still leaving a message! He’s nudged him, he’s pointing at his phone. Guy is retreating. Michael’s got his back to him. He’s making another call.” My phone flashes, it’s a text from him, I realise my error and slide it back to her. “Guy’s now leaning in…” The thud of his head hitting the door resonates. “…oh he looks uncomfortable, think an advantage is pressing home!”


MICHAEL


“Do you mind?!”


“Not at all.” He drawls hooking his fingers into my belt and pulling me back against him. “Do you?”


“Can’t you see I’m on a call?!”


“So you don’t mind? That’s good. I’ve got a much better idea for your tongue…”


“Hands off the tenderloin!” I hiss, jabbing him in the ribs. “Let go!” I snarl, he laughs whilst snaking a hand around my waist. “Who the hell are you?! No gentleman, that's for sure!” I turn around and change my mind about protesting further. He is gorgeous and kinda looks like Brian!


“Braydon.” He smiles, I almost choke on my drool! “Whose name am I going to be moaning?”


“Michael. Let me just wrap this up then we get to know each other.”


His hand is hot on my hip. As I hang up, Ma comes around the corner, I hope and pray she doesn’t see me; for once they’re answered!


BACK OF DINER - FIVE MINUTES LATER


LULA


“He reminds me of Brian. Where’s Vic?” Debs tickles Cat’s friend, who purrs loudly. “Why are you calling someone that looks like that to deal with Michael?!” 


“Vic’s talking to Brian. I want to test their friendship.” I lock the door. “I…”


“…did I just see Michael with Braydon?” Vic looks unimpressed. “How do you know him?!”


“Why don’t I?” Debs scowls, her pouting over being the last to know makes me smile.


“I’m sure Michael will introduce you.” I tease. “I killed the mood for him when I mistook him for Brian ducking up an alley with someone who wasn’t Justin. Having done that, I bought him a beer to say sorry. It was he who told me about those; seems he was about to fuck the sales guy.” 


It takes them a while to stop laughing. “But why introduce Michael to him?” Vic scowls. “Oh  Brian asked, can you come and feed the beast? He needs a break.” He frowns as I speed up the packing of the food. “What?”


“Justin’s been going at him.” I crack open the window. “You two be good!” I tell Cat and friend, I get sleepy blinks. 


“Going at him?” Vic looks at Debs, she smirks. “Come on then Miss Know It All, what?”


“Brian once said that Justin knows what to do with his mouth. Who’d thought that the Stud would get tired of blowjobs!”


“I see.” He chuckles. “See Sis you knew something that I didn’t!”


On hearing that I am determined that what goes on in their bedroom, front room, stable, his studio and once - but not since I insisted on a lock - the cloakroom, stays there!


FRONT ROOM, JUSTIN’S HOUSE - FOLLOWING AFTERNOON


MEL


I take the wine from Brian - it’s just what I need after a few trying calls with Lindsay and Loretta. Brian took one look and handed my phone to Justin, who’s making a green goddess salad. “So what was the row between John and Peter about?” 


He scrubs his face. “A couple of their friends from school have been in touch and wanted to FaceTime, but Peter doesn’t. He’s not feeling confident about seeing folks I guess.”


“Would they be Gus and Hunter?” I shift my briefcase and stretch out.


“Yep. I don’t get it. How is it?” He nods at my glass, I grin. “So none for Lindsay then?”


“Definitely not.” I declare. “How against it was he?”


“Furiously, wouldn't speak to John for a couple of hours. Grudgingly, accepted his apology. How’d you know about Gus and Hunter?”


“Heard them talking about meeting him when they’re properly better. Peter’s words.”


“They can come to the house…what does he mean properly better?”


“What do you think he means?” I smile sweetly, he looks blank. “Hunter is gay.”


“Great, they can cruise when they’re older.”


“Kinney!” I chide. “He’s crushing on him! I know it’s been a while but what did you do at his age when you had a crush?!”


“Got in the shower with him.” 


“Jesus!” I snort. “How old were you and who was it?”


“Fourteen and my gym teacher.” He holds my stunned gaze. “I sucked him off and he loved it. Went on for a while.”


“Brian, that’s not a crush, that’s…abuse…” My heart breaks for him. “...he used his position and your vulnerability to abuse…”


“It wasn’t really. I wanted to do it. It was when he would wait in the locker room after classes that I stopped.”


“What happened?” 


“He failed me. Which meant that I had to go to his summer school.”


“Oh god.” My heart is racing and anger mounting.


“By the time we met again, I was 7 inches taller, 50 pounds heavier and had a scholarship, so I spent my summer fucking around and letting him know about it.” I drain my glass. “He was especially pissed because he wanted to be my first.”


“I’m sorry you went through that.” I top us up. “Your besties know?” He nods. “Well knowing him, he will say something about it, so I advise you to tell him before he does.”


“He won’t; he hasn’t yet and he’s had more than one opportunity.”


“But he will!” I assert, his face darkens. “You know him…”


“And I believe and trust him. Why all of a sudden don’t you?!” 


“All of a sudden?!” It takes a beat for me to realise. “Justin knows?!”


“Of course he does! Who the fuck else would I tell something like that?!” 


“Michael.” I whisper; he looks nauseous. “I’m sorry, I just…when did you tell him?”


“The morning after we met.” He chuckles at my shocked look. “Surprised me too. Made it easier though, so when the time came, it felt great, I knew it would be. He took the fear and shame away.” I swallow hard and take the hankie. “There’s more. I had cancer, they got it all…he was pissed that I didn’t reach out, seeing as I knew where he was. I just didn’t want him to see me like that.” 


“Is that one of the tests she’s talking about?!” I growl, he frowns. “Lindsay, said that she wanted your tests rushed through. So it might be genetic?”


“No it’s not and I doubt it, since she doesn’t know that either. They share that nasty lording it over habit.”


I gawk at him. “Will take everything you just said to my grave.” He looks up when the door opens, I snort as he pours Justin’s wine and strokes his butt at the same time. 


“That was so much chopping! Will you behave?” Justin blushes and squirms. “The chicken is on, gonna hop into the shower, will you keep an eye on it? It’s thighs not breast; leave the skin on until we plate up!” 


“Yes dear.” He twitters.


“Such a multitasking housewife…” I tease. “…or should that be husband?” 


“In time.” Justin blows him a kiss and quietly shuts the door..


“I want to sort out your honeymoon when you do!” I declare.


“Deal. So for the other reasons you’re here.” He takes the other end of the couch. “We want to formally adopt the boys and for you to file the paper…you have a hankie!” I give a watery smile. “And to add guardians for them. Justin has picked the boys, so I pick the girls. That means it’s Ben and Emmett and the warhorses that are Debs and you.”


BRIAN


I mop up the spilled wine, a minute later she’s still quiet. “Say something.”


“So Debs and I are gonna be the bad cops - that’s just great!” She wobbles. “I’ll get these filed out of state; Loretta and I share a junior partner, who keeps being a brown noser to me then reporting back...”


“I’ve seen her; sure she’s not a pussy sniffer?” 


“Kinney!” She shudders. “Anyway! Thankfully, my one starts in a couple of weeks, which is  another bone of contention.” She giggles. “Daphne’s a rising star; so of course Loretta thought she should get her. However, Daphne made it a joining condition that she doesn’t work for her, win-win for me.”


I hand her the letter Justin rewrote since fear of rejection was making me waffle. 


“We’ll take care of it, no matter what you say, we’ll take care of it.” 


“You look nervous, what the hell’s this?” She starts to read, her hands tremble and tears flow. “She will go absolutely apeshit.”


“That’s her problem; not ours nor yours. You’re our choice for our baby. However, if you can’t do it for us, we’ll get your endometriosis fixed so that you can do it for yourself.”


“How…of course she did.” She stares at the ceiling. “Gib mir di khukh far der kamf vas ligt faraoys.”


“Which means?”


“God give me strength for the battle that lies ahead. I’d be honoured...”


“Oh thank you! Thank you!” Justin tearfully bursts through the door and into her arms.


“Was chicken the signal?” She hiccups, he nods into her shoulder. 


“Will you please be the mother of our child was all you wrote.” She looks puzzled. “I had written three pages before I’d got to the point.” The poke to his ribs stops his chuckling. “Do you want us to be there when you tell her?”


Justin looks feral. “I’ve been thinking about how we do that.”  


Which means we're going to be ‘talking’ long and deep into the night!


Ale Asylum Wisconsin

Semur Chicken

Green Goddess Salad

 

End Notes:

Please be kiind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks

In No Particular Order, Breakfast, Late Lunch and Dinner by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 16 - IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, BREAKFAST, LATE LUNCH AND DINNER


MEL


“Brian, stop fiddling with…with your wedding ring on the end of that suddenly acquired chain.” They exchange looks before he starts to pull it out. “Please don’t. I’m so glad you did it. Who else knows?”


“The boys, Lula and Ems.” Justin replies. “If…” Before he can finish, the Lindsay looney toon sinks our hearts. “You going to answer?”


“Yes. Hi, Lindz, look I can’t stop, have to pass in the…I’m happy that you two are…what’s Michael asking? No, absolutely not, I don’t know what time I’ll be…if you let me finish speaking you’ll find out why I can’t grab some things from the grocers!” I scream. Brian scowls and a livid Justin actually sits on his hands. “I have to pass for my meds, then I’ve got a conference call with Daphne to discuss her T&Cs. What does Loretta have to do with our conversation? She's not going to be her assistant, so she’s got no reason to be on the call with us. Lindsay, I have to go to the pharma…no I’m not in the office, I had a…well Loretta's assistant was obviously sneakily reading the wrong diary, I have to go!” 


“What’s it gonna be?!” We turn to an almost sulphurous Lula. “You gonna go grey with her or go grey because of her?! Jesus, if my wife heard that I was in pain and focused on the wants and needs of her mithering muckraking ballsack of a dear friend and a jealous busy bodying boulder dyke, then she would not be my wife!”


“It’s bulldyke.” I wobble, taking the tissues from her as she sits.


“No it ain’t.” She smirks. “Now whatever is cooking in your head, Justin, use it as a distraction.”


“Must work on poker face with you.” He kisses her cheek. “Go to our doctor.”


“For what?” I sigh as I finally succumb to our relationship reality.


“Your endometriosis, get it sorted out now.” Brian asserts. “Since the boulder dyke’s bloodhound is sniffing around, let’s keep it between us. And when we come to the announcement then there’s one less delaying tactic they can use.”


“They?” Justin frowns.


“You think Mikey won’t interfere or want to play goddaddy?” He grimaces. “Or even worse, offer to be dad for you instead? Letting Lindsay have their dream of me and my wallet.”


“Do you have engagement rings?” Lula tops up my glass. “If not, get them, then announce it at dinner…”


“I wondered what they were whispering about.” I grouse.


“Yep, they want to have us over for dinner…” Brian’s kiss is so tender that it breaks my heart that our level of intimacy is long gone. “…and that will give you a chance to twist that artist knife of yours twice.”


“Artist knife? Wait a second, you said you knew where he was.” I look between them. “Did you go see him, were you ever going to get him?!”


“Yes and yes; but I came to claim him first.” Justin brushes his cheek. “And you’ve got another place to go to, no matter what happens.”


“Oh where?!” I demand.


“Our other house, it’s behind this one.” I look at Lula who smiles fondly at them . “I will give you a key.”


“I’ll put it on the ring for the park.” I decide, Justin looks puzzled. “Brian has given me the key to Hazure Park, a place I can go to escape.”


“Hazure Park? Where’s that?”


“Ah yes, gotta give you all the keys to that. Remember when we had our first picnic?” 


“That derelict overgrown dust bowl with a swamp for a pond? Yeah, the sight and smell alone sometimes haunts my dreams.” His grimace makes me smile. It turns to amazement after Brian hands him his phone. “This is beautiful, this can’t be the same place?”


“I fixed it up so that you would always have an outside…ummmf!” As Justin plasters himself to his mouth and body, we make a quiet exit.


LULA


“Come on, gonna set you a bath.” She takes my hand. “Honey, even Atilla the Hun rested, whilst you’re soaking I’ll do your room.” I nod. “And he rested quietly, give me your phone!”


EMMETT’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


LOUNGE


BEN


“You need help?” I look up at Emmett; he’s standing on the table. He takes another quick glance then clambers down. “Should imagine this place has a few.”


“Then you will have to come around more often and save me from the mus domus.”


“You know Latin?”


“Yes, and...are you cold?” He frowns. “Or are you leaving?”


“Just stepping out for a second. Why don’t you open the wine?” I nudge him towards the kitchen. I wait for the door to close before heading towards the garden. I giggle quietly at the wriggling that the mouse, which caused the screaming and leaping, is doing. As I open the door, I’m surprised at how dark it’s gotten. I can’t let it out in this.


“Benjamin Bruckner, can you be any more wonderful? May I see properly?” I open my hands, the mouse uncurls and looks up. “He’s cute in a vermin kinda way.”


I look around the small porch and spot it. “Hand me that box…” He takes his time lining it with paper. “...I know you want a cat, so we can put it out in the morning.”


“We?” He blinks. “This implies that either you are taking him or me home with you. Let’s put the mouse in the house.” 


“Ah, Friends, that’s one of my favourite episodes.” We watch it get settled. “I will get some water, do you have dried fruit?” 


“Indeed, follow me.” Ten minutes later, I’m back in the lounge, pouring the wine, he’s bringing in nibbles. “So Friends then?” I frown. “Are we going to watch it, have the entire boxset.”


“Oh, please!” I grin. Once he sets up, he drapes my arm over his shoulder and covers us with the afghan blanket. “This is so nice, where’s it from?”


“I made it. Am a funny, smart, cute, nelly bottom who is good with his hands.” I adjust us so that we're lying down, he rests his chin on his hand. “May I kiss you?”


“I insist.” I pray that only the head attached to my neck comes to this game. I feel his sigh when our lips meet, then can’t help but stir when he puts my hand on his tush. As it deepens, I realise how much I’ve wanted to kiss him, and honestly, if I hadn’t wanted to piss Justin off by getting with MichaeI, then I could’ve had this instead! I push him gently, he looks confused. “I didn’t realise how much I fancied you till now.”


“Oh well, isn’t that lovely; fancy means a whole lot more than like!” He beams, resting on his hands. “Continue.”


“Not before my ego gets stroked thank you!”


“I’ll stroke a lot more than that if you let me.” He sits up slightly. “After breakfast, we need to spoon first, oh the TV in my room is set to National Geographic. I know that’s boring but it helps me…woah! Benjamin! What are you doing?!” 


“Taking you to spoon! Grab the wine, that’s my favourite channel.” 


OUTSIDE THE DINER - FOLLOWING AFTERNOON


BRANDON


Thinking back to our first night and the lunch we’ve just had makes me smile. The sex was great, especially topping each other.  The next day,  he called to ask me about Michael and Brian’s relationship. I was puzzled as I thought the best person would’ve been Ben, but he wanted the viewpoint of someone who knows both Ben and Brian intimately…I regretted my honesty at that one. 


Happily we talked for ages about everything but that; I was bewildered by the gift bag containing a mouth guard and recommendation for Percocet. Turns out that I grind my teeth very loudly in my sleep. He told me to make sure that both were packed for the weekend, we’ve got a breast vs thigh cook off on the Saturday; the winner gets a massage at Sewickley Spa on the Sunday. I’ve got to sort out what we're doing on Monday, as that’s a public holiday. As I watch him walk back to his office, it strikes me that I’m totally fine with that!


“You’re not paid to rubberneck on Liberty Avenue!” Michael’s snotty tone kills my joy. My retort is stopped when Braydon snakes an arm around his waist. “Hi, Bray, on time as always. Do you want to go in?” He squeezes his arm and strokes his cheek, whilst looking down his nose at me. 


“This guy bothering you?”


“Not me, my best friend. He’s some kind of flunky or gofer in his company who keeps slacking on his duties. Said he shouldn't have hired him.”


“You can only tell a person so much. We’ve got to plan our first date.”


“Yes we should. I know you’re going to tell Ben about this, but it’s really none of his business or yours. Bray, Ben is the jealous ex I told you about.”


“Tell him to leave him alone, understand?” Braydon drawls.


“Hang on…” I lean against a car. “...hey, Kinney. I would be working but I got held up by your supposed bestie and his new squeeze; they were most insistent that I give Ben a message. So when he wakes up, can you tell him to stop calling? You will? Great.” I hold Michael’s gaze, his gurning shows what he can’t voice, oh how I’m enjoying that! “There. Happy?”


“Very. Seems he’s moved on like you have, Michael, so hopefully he’ll find the happiness he couldn't find with you.” 


“I’m sure he will. Michael knows how happy Brian makes a guy.” I smirk. “Gotta go earn my crust, such a hard, very hard taskmaster he is.”


As I head down the street, I chuckle at two things, the four times that Braydon tried to get Michael’s attention and the text he sent in the interim; ‘you gonna tell him about us or can I? Enjoy your date - one of us has to’


MEL AND LINDSAY’S - EVENING


KITCHEN


MICHAEL


I’ve yet to have a chance to speak to Brian about earlier. He’s been on the phone since the end of dinner. “Trouble at work?” I ask Justin, who looks puzzled. “Brian seems tense, has Brandon been neglecting his duties?”


“Not a work problem.” He replies, continuing to stack the dishwasher. “Where’s the soap, please?”


“Where else would it be?” I snipe. “In the cupboard under the sink obviously.” 


“Why would it be obvious? It could be anywhere. You live here, know where it is, but I’ve never seen you stack it.” Mel bristles, shoving me along. “There you go, Justin. Michael, add that to the shopping list.” Although I’m pissed at her snottiness, I do as she asks. “You’ve been a grouch all day, what's wrong with you?”


“I’ve not been a grouch. I’m trying to navigate my enforced singledom; what with Ben and Brandon being difficult it’s a tough time for me. Besides, if anyone’s being a grouch, it’s been you since you got in. You never told us where you were.”


“Want to navigate your singledom from a hotel?” She growls. I grit my teeth at Justin’s smirking. “Well, do you?”


“We were worried when you didn’t come home!” I explain.


“She was perfectly safe with us.” Brian drawls, pausing to rub Justin’s fat ass “Haven’t you finished playing Stewie Homemaker yet, Sunshine?”


“Yeah.” He leans against him. “All sorted?”


“Yep. Where’s Lindsay?”


“Here, sorry everyone, Sidney was talking my ear off. Let’s go and sit down. Mel, can you bring the wine?”


“Michael can. I doubt he lifted a finger today. I had to order the takeaway, set the table and clear it because he was either in the bathroom, fake making a call or trying to start a fight.” As they file out, she leans against the counter. “Tray’s not going to load itself.” 


As I take out the wine, she curses. “Now what? You wanted wine, it’s wine.”


“Justin brought champagne, so we're having that. Get the flutes and make sure you polish them first.”


LOUNGE - TEN MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY 


Justin has been on a call since we sat down. I’d put the documents I need him to sign in front of Brian, but he’s ignoring me and them. He just leers Justin, who is smiling wider and wider. His nickname should be Schlubber not Sunshine! 


Michael looks annoyed as he and Mel enter, she has all three bottles of champagne. When we saw them, Michael and I vowed that we would have one for ourselves, relishing the idea of celebrating us being back in Brian’s life with it.


“It’s quite late, I don’t think we’ll drink all that, let me put one back.” I smile at her.


“None of us are working tomorrow.” Justin declares. “We’re celebrating, let’s get them opened!” In minutes, all three corks have been popped and glasses filled. “So, to new beginnings. I can’t wait to start working with Sidney and Leda.”


“You’re kidding?!” Mel squeals, launching herself at him. “She never said a word!”


“She wanted me to tell you.” Justin laughs. “So shopping, Brian?”


“What’s Leda doing?” Michael frowns.


“Something you should be…” Mel sneers. “...working.”


“Excuse me Justin, I don’t follow; why are you, Leda and Sidney meeting?” I demand.


“To see if he can host a couple of the artists I manage. Remember, Ben mentioned that at my second welcome back dinner?” I smile and nod at the arrogance of the pompous parvenu. “The hardest one to sell may be Sam Auerbach…” I put my glass down “...he’s a bit of an enfant terrible!”


“A bit!” I gasp. “So when do we start?”


“We? Well I guess Sidney will let you know. I don’t get involved in that side of…” He’s looking at my present above the mantle. “...where did you get that?!”


“Brian gave it to me for my birthday.” I raise my glass to him, he returns the gesture.


“You got this?” He stares at him. 


“He paid ten thousand for it, very generous.”


“You say generous, I say worn down.” Mel mutters.


“Ten thousand? When? And why did you want it?” 


“A couple of years back.” I’m enjoying his jealousy. “As to why, because I loved the lines and passion of it all. What’s your um, artistic opinion?”


“It’s not worth ten grand. Why did you pay that?”


“Jesus, so rude! What Brian spends on Lindsay is none of your business, his money, his best friend!” Michael snipes. “Maybe you should switch to water?”


“I’m not being rude, Michael. Given our history, I wouldn't have thought you’d want a piece of my work, Lindsay. You seriously overpaid, that was priced at $8,500.”


“P-pardon?” I stammer, ignoring Mel’s smirking…for now. “It says Quereau Lockwood.” 


“My second middle and godmother’s maiden names.” He tops up their glasses. “I’m giving you the $1500 back.”


“No you’re not.” Brian asserts. “I paid what I wanted to pay for it, and…”


“Brian…” I temper my tone. “…did you know that this was one of his pieces?” 


“No. Does it matter now?”


“No, no of course not.” I declare. “So…”


“I would change the frame. Artistically speaking, it jars, personally speaking it’s ugly. Whoever chose that must have been ripped, drunk or both!”


“Lindsay likes it!” Michael’s red faced. 


“She tends to like things you do.” He returns. “What do you think of it, Mel?”


“I agree, the one I chose is still in my office - but they wanted that one.”


“Who’s they and can I see it?” 


“Lindsay, Michael and Dusty, and one second!” 


I’m humiliated, how didn't I recognise this as one of his pieces?! How he must have enjoyed the praise I heaped unknowingly on him! As Brian tosses the folder in the magazine rack to the side of the sofa, I just want to scratch his eyes out!


“Well what do you think?” Mel holds the frame up.


“What were you thinking, Lindz? Let’s get it swapped!” Brian orders. Ten minutes later, it’s rehung without our help. “What are you going to do with that, Michael?”


“Take it to his room and make a collage out of his comics!” Mel giggles.


“I won’t.” He huffs, then looks at Justin. “Speaking of comics, now that we're all friends again, let's talk about Rage. Who do I need to speak to get the order? You or Ted?”


“Blake. And go there with your distribution proposal. The last guy that pitched up without one lasted three seconds. He’s a very tough and protective negotiator.”


“I’d rather deal with you.” Michael keeps smiling, though it’s slipping.


I really feel for him. We’ll be in the same boat come Monday; I will be trying to persuade Sidney to let me join them. Once I do, I will spike his enormous ego, whilst shining a light on my qualities. And, for Dusty, I will keep an eye on Leda, see who she’s slutting about with. 


“You don’t always get…why are you still down there?” He laughs at Brian who is looking at Michael’s frame. “Does it get prettier up close?”


“No. However, since, like Michael said, we're all friends again, will you marry me, Justin?”


“What?!” Mel gapes.


Michael and I are poleaxed as he takes out a Tiffany box. 


“No.” Justin stops looking like a guppy.


“No? What do you mean no?!” Mel shrieks.


“To Tiffany.” He sniffs. “He said if he ever got married, that he would design it.”


“Christ, you remembered that?” He gets off his knees, their kiss turns my stomach. “I know, Lindz, you got some paper? I do the engagement, and you do the wedding?”


“Perfect.” He gurns up at him. “Just perfect.”

 

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx

Prepping for the Truth to be Told and a New Household by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 17 - PREPPING FOR THE TRUTH TO BE TOLD AND NEW HOUSEHOLD


MEL


We're trying not to laugh at the messaging and plotting they’re no doubt doing. Michael’s need to go to the bathroom within seconds of Lindsay going to find the pad was just a coincidence.


“I’m going to twist the knife a bit more.” I declare as I text. “Right, that's that done, just say yes to whatever, okay?” I glance at her folder. “Feel free to light a fire.”


“Go to the kitchen.” Brian sits astride him. “Shut the door on your way out.”


Justin’s feeble protest about love bites makes me giggle. As I take out more champagne, her study door closes and the john flushes.


“Are you alright, Michael?” He jumps. “Have you sprayed or cracked the window?”


“Sprayed or cracked the…there was no need to.” He scowls. “Why are you opening more?” 


“More what?” Lindsay joins us. “Why is the door shut?”


“Champagne, we're celebrating, remember? And I kicked the door stop on accident.” 


As he opens the door to the destruction of their hopes and dreams with a bottle each, I start the count from ten. “For fuck!” Michael yells, while her face goes from ashen to puce  “Must you Justin?!”


“Yes.” Brian drawls. “Out of respect for Mel, he’d only let me do so much.”


“Thanks guys, being respected means a lot.” I smile. “Have you called the boys or Lula?”


“They’d be asleep by now surely?” Lindsay grimaces as Justin drums Brian’s ass.


“Brian, dismount…” I snicker as Justin zips him back up. “...and call them.”


“The pad.” She slaps it down. “I thought you wouldn't let him do so much, Justin?”


“He wouldn't. I have no such qualms.”


“Let's use your phone.” Justin murmurs, the three lovebites stark against his skin. “Then I need to call Ems, he’ll be pissed if he hears it from anyone else.”


“Of course.” Brian smoulders and dials, it's not only Justin’s eyes that blaze.


“Hey there, how are you doing?” Lula chirps. “Need just me or the boys too?” 


“Boys too.” Brian smiles.


“Uncle Brian, please be quick…” Michael looks so affronted. “...we’re talking to Hunter and Gus.”


“That’s great.” Justin beams. “So we're engaged.”


“You and Brian are getting married?! When?!” Lula screams whilst the boys cheer.


“Quiet down, quiet down!” Brian hollers. “As for when, Justin, please keep Friday free.”


“Why?”


“We can get a licence online tomorrow and use Friday to get all the other documentation sorted out.”


“Let me speak to my friend!” Lula declares. “And Debs!”


“This news should come from me.” Michael steams. “I’ll do it in the morning.”


“Of course you will. Mr and Mr Kinney to be, see you tomorrow!”


“Later, Mr and Mr Kinney!” The boys yell.


JUSTIN


I love Mel so much! She is brilliant. Once Lula's ‘friend’ comes through, I can wear my ring in public. In the beginning it felt good to have it be our little secret, however, we realised they were coming first again. We’ve moved on together. They accept that or get left behind. Although I’m determined they’re consigned to our past, even if they manage to get away with what they did to the boys.


“What do you think?” Brian leans us back, his phone on his thigh. I bite back my squeal at his message: ‘officially we’re Mr and Mr Kinney, professionally you use Taylor. Doable? And Lula has let Ems know to play dumb.’


“That’s doable.” I chuckle and dial. When he picks up, he sounds flustered. “Ems, you alright?” 


“I’m fine! Just needed to get out from under!” He laughs. “Thank you, now to what do I owe this late night call?” 


“I’m going to be Mr Kinney, Brian’s proposed.”


“On speaker! Word for word that for me again!”


“I'm going to be Mr Kinney, Brian’s proposed.”


“Oh, dreams do come true!” Ems snivels. “Where are you now?!”


“At Mel and Lindsay’s…”


“You need to come to mine immediately!” 


“We’ll be there in about an hour, Honeycutt!” Brian laughs. 


“I’ll allow that one, now get moving, I am ordering Thai!”


BRIAN

 

That reaction from Ems warms my soul. “Can we pass by Woody's?” Justin asks as I help him into his coat and he pockets my phone.


“For Chocolate Box? If so, you need to get him to get beef…”


“I’ll text on the way.” He nips my chin.


“Give it back to Brian…” Lindsay froths. “…we need to speak to him later.”


“He asked me to hold it.” He returns calmly, but I know he’s fired up. “I need to speak to Ben about the wedding, I don’t want there to be any tension, so…”


“Wow, Justin, thanks!” Michael exclaims. “What a gesture. I hope another can be made to our new working relationship. I want to work with you, not Blake on Rage - I have some ideas too, sure you’ll like them.” 


Justin grips my side, how is Michael oblivious to his anger?! “What gesture?” Justin fumes.


“You kicked Ben to the curb for me. So when shall we three…”


“Which three?” I manage to pry his fingers free.


Lindsay looks over his shoulder. “Me, you and Michael to discuss the nuptials, obviously, he can’t be there, we’ll make it a surprise. Let’s schedule everything for the morning, then Michael and I can go and look for suits…”


“Why do you think Ben is being kicked to the curb?” I wince as he grips again. “And suits for what?” 


“You don’t want us to wear suits as de facto best man and groomswoman?” He returns Mel's sneering look. “What’s that face for?”


“You’re joking, right?” Mel demands. 


“No we're not.” Lindsay exclaims. “It will be a grand…”


“I’m not kicking Ben out of the wedding!” Justin rails, I hold him close. “I’m going to ask him and Ems to decide between them who is the best man and who is the man of honour!”


“What about Peter and John?” Mel rejoins. “They won’t want you there. So the next call is to the parents; they need to be locked down.”


He dials quickly. “Hey, Debs, can you get Vic too?”


“Justin, what are you doing?” Michael demands, his attempt to prod is stopped by Mel getting between them, her murderous look silences him and Lindsay.


“Sunshine, what’s up?” Vic asks. “Will you be long, we have soaps to…”


“Vic, will you give me away?” I love this take charge Justin and my respect for Merl has soared tenfold. “Debs, can you do the same for Brian, please?”


“Yes! Yes and fuckaduck triple yes!” Debs screams, whilst Vic is singing here comes the grooms. 


“Guess we’ll speak to you tomorrow.” I mutter.


“Byeeee!” Vic shouts. 


“Parents sorted.” Justin eases his grip. “As for Brian’s side, Peter and John will be his best man and man of honour - they’ll decide which is which. Mel, will you be our celebrant?”


MEL


Everyone is quiet. “Well, will you?” Justin prompts.


“That, like Michael telling and asking Debs and Vic, is down to Brian!” Lindsay fumes. “Mel, you can’t be his…”


“It’ll be my pleasure.” I kiss their cheeks. “Why should I decline?”


“Because it should be his best friends…”


“Out of the three of you, she's his best friend.” Justin gazes at Brian. “Is there a problem with this?” His mumbled response, makes them smirk. “Uh…oh okay. I need to make one thing clear, we three will never have a relationship. For Rage and shows deal with Blake and Sidney.”


“You can’t have the boys as your best men, Brian.” Michael states. “Didn’t you hear how dismissive and disinterested they were?” 


“Besides, they don’t know you as well as we do.” Lindsay asserts. “We know what you’d like.” 


“Now, leaving now.” Brian orders.


“I’ll see you out.” I catch Brian’s eye and wink. When I rejoin the toxic twosome, they’re having more champagne and cackling. “What’s with the toxic joy?”


“Justin’s in trouble.” Lindsay declares putting the folder on the table. “I’ll take this with us.”


“Very much so!” Michael gloats. “Brian was unhappy, he called him a stupid ass.”


“Was that what he said?!” Lindsay basks. “So all those plans will swiftly come to…”


“He’s not in trouble, and Brian is very happy.” They look scornful. “He said DILLIGAF, which Justin didn’t get immediately. It’s an acronym for does it look like I give a fuck…”


“As per usual, you’re…wait who’s there?!” Michael demands, their jaws drop when the grooms-to-be enter, grinning and reeking! “I thought you’d gone!”


“We’re going now, but we need that.” Brian hands her folder to Justin, he takes out the papers.


“I like the folder, Lindsay. But these are kindling.” They burn immediately. “Be an environmentalist and don’t print that shit again. Let Mel know where you bought the folder, I’ll send her the money. Ready?”


“Yeah, we worked up a huge appetite.” He mock salutes and closes the door on their laughter.


LINDSAY


“They've definitely gone.” Michael fumes as he sits, I watch my papers turn to ash. “What did they do and where did they do it?!” 


“Don’t know what and I’m sure they used the main bathroom.” Mel states. “If not, then one of us will have to change their sheets…”


“How could you allow them to do that?!” I steam, she sips and shrugs. “You have no respect for me, for Michael, I just don’t know who you are these days!”


“Brian’s got off here before with your encouragement.”


“That’s different!” I explode.


“Mel, you shouldn't have let him fuck in here!” Michael exclaims.


“Why, because it’s with Justin? They don’t fuck, they have quickies and make love. I overheard you two talking about them tricking together. You can’t stand it that he never did that with you, Michael? Lindsay, I remember your expression from earlier, been so long since I’d seen it. Get it through your thick heads that Brian will never top you or let you strap him!” 


“You must be hammered!” Michael shouts. “You owe us an apology when you’re sober!”


I’m shaking with fury. “Get out of my sight whilst we still have a relationship to fight for!” 


“We don’t.” She states coldly. “First thing in the morning, you two move into that fully furnished four bed bungalow that Loretta and Dusty and your true bestie and my now ex helped you to find.”


“Wait…” Michael wails, but I’m poleaxed - she’s just dumped me! “…that’s just for me, not me and Lindsay!” 


“DILLIGAF.” She declares. “Go to bed - Lindsay, use the sofa or share with him, I don’t care. Be up at seven sharp, because Blake, Ted, Ben, Brandon and Leda will be coming to help you both pack!”

 

End Notes:

If reviewing please be kind and constructive. Thanks.

Early Bird Eats the Worm and Opposite Will Definitely Attract by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 18 - EARLY BIRD EATS THE WORM AND OPPOSITE WILL DEFINITELY ATTRACT


MICHAEL’S BUNGALOW - A WEEK LATER


LINDSAY


The bungalow and its gardens are just beautiful. I am not as upset to be here as Michael and Mel think. Having  always wanted to live in this part of town, however, Mel suddenly turned into a classist pinchfist, declaring it both elite and expensive. Admittedly, it doesn’t look as great with Michael’s stuff sprawled about, but it’s the perfect place to bring up my child until Brian moves us elsewhere.


Mel and her motley crew of pissing paisans evicted us like miscreant stowaways! Lord knows how long they had been planning this, there were three large vans with six removal men - who made light work of the packing, once they had gone through it! Debs and Vic were there, we thought to give Michael support, but no, they had come to take back some cookware, bedding and cushions that he had ‘appropriated’ now that Mel had thoroughly cleaned them, which was so embarrassing for him. 


But her fait accompli was the statue. She had made threats before, but we had dismissed them as empty, big mistake…


Start of flashback

MOVING DAY


LINDSAY


“No, Michael, neither yours nor hers!” Ben declares as he picks up the crock pot. “We borrowed that from Debs, and that is from…”


“...the diner!” Vic grabs a box of pans. “When the hell did you take them?!”


“Carl said that it was…” Michael trails off at the arrival of an unimpressed Carl. “...why did you call him Mel?!”


“I didn’t!” She snaps.


“Of course you didn’t! Like you didn’t call him to bring you to Brian’s!” I rebuke her.


“My girlfriend did!” Carl declares as he approaches. “I recognise that…” He stares at the kitchen pile. 


Michael and I were incredulous to be woken by loud music, laughter and everything we owned laid out in piles! Mel sneered that we were told what was happening and should be thankful that she didn't have an early dawn yard sale!  


“Hey, Lula, how’s everything? Great, just great, can you ask him if he's missing a purple set of Le Creuset…” I glance at Michael, who’s blushing. “…yeah, I thought they were. Ben, can you grab those, please?” He does so and puts them in Brandon’s car. “And the person who called me was Justin, not Mel.”


“Justin?” Vic looks surprised. “How come?”


“Because he recognised them from when he was last here....” He slams the trunk. “...since he gave them to me as a diner warming present.” He glares at Michael. “Is there anything else that needs to be returned?” 


“You’re expecting honesty from them? Especially her!” Leda barks. “Mel and Ben, sadly you know them best of all, let’s go through it and…”


“What do you mean, especially me?!” I seethe.


“I couldn't fight the Lindsay tsunami, but Brian will. Justin’s his hill too now!”


“Okay…” Mel glances between me and Leda. “...let’s just get them packed and gone. They have the movers for two hours, any longer will be charged to Lindsay, as….” 


“Melanie!” I growl. “You can’t give them my credit card details, that is fraud!”


“I used our joint debit card - there’s only your salary left.” She returns. “Leda and I are going to make some coffee and put the champers to chill. Carl, Debs and Vic, can you supervise, please?” 


“It will be my pleasure.” Vic smirks.


“How do we know you’ve given us everything?!” Michael demands. “We’re going to go back inside…”


“Trust me…” Mel states. “...there is nothing of your dreck, aspirations or malodorous intent left in…”


“I don’t trust you.” He interjects. “...this eviction will be dealt with later. Brandon, you and I need to talk about the store and my former marital home.”


“No we don’t as, thankfully, we weren’t married.” Brandon snipes as he scrutinises. 


“Finally we agree on something. So you lied about giving Ben the money for the house and the store?”


“Nope. The money was for the store, which I’ve recouped. The house is in my name. Bring Musty Dusty if you want to talk stores. Mel, can you recommend anyone for Braydon…”


“Who is Braydon?” Mel looks between the pair of them. “What have you done, Brandon?”


“Sold my side of the business to Braydon Thorpe.”


Michael grins, this is perfect. I’ve met Braydon, who’s a dirtier version of Brian. I was a bit jealous when Michael was telling me about their date. He was a gentleman, very attentive, just wanting to know all about Michael, plus there’s no annoying brother either!


“Hey, Bray, it’s Michael, I really enjoyed our date.” Michael looks at Ben as he talks. “Sorry I missed your calls last night, I had to deal with a housing issue. An annoying bird tells me that you have bought a property from Brandon Bruckner, which is fortuitous because, wait, let me put you on speaker…” 


“...why are you putting me on speaker? Where are you?”


“I’ll tell you about that later. As for the speaker, I just wanted to tell that annoying bird’s brother that…”


“Michael…” He sighs. “...I knew that you loved collectibles and comics, but I am disappointed and hurt that you have made that decision. Let’s keep things civil please.”


“What decision, I don’t understand, let me take this elsewhere…” Mel blocks his return inside. After twenty minutes, he hangs up. “Well start packing then.” He snaps his fingers at the removal men. “Lindz, let’s take our personal papers ourselves, wouldn't want them to go missing.”  


“What’s…” I begin, he, however, mouths ‘not now’.


“It will take two of them to bring out the statue in the hallway.”  He turns to Mel. “I want to supervise that, it needs to be carefully wrapped as I have a buyer for it.”


“A buyer?!” Debs gasps. “You said you’d never part with it!”


“Plans change. I’d actually sold it and most of the comics almost two weeks ago. Want to tell her the rest, Lindz?”


“I persuaded him to keep them in situ, just to irritate you Mel!” I crow. “A small victory.”


“How is it a victory for you? I was the buyer and I’ve made a good profit.”


“Oh shit.” Vic whispers. “How on earth did you engineer that?”


“Well…” Ben smiles. “...seems that sentiment has its price.”


“You?!” Michael fumes. “I want them back! After all you’ve both put me through, it's the least you can do!”


“Not him.” Ted steps between them. “Now before you continue to foam, remember that this is costing Lindsay money!”

End of flashback


“Lindz, where are you?!” Michael calls.


“Garden, bring the red and charcuterie board!” I must admit to being very pleased with the four bottles of Masseto I took from Brian’s office the last two times I was there; luckily for us I kept them at work! The scent of the bougainvillaea and the ripples of the pond are so soothing, I can see me painting under the willow. “So how did it go with Braydon?” 


“Not great…” He grumps, setting up the table. “...he’s sticking to his guns. This is Justin and Mel’s fault. If they hadn’t been trying to get us drunk, I would’ve taken his call, he wouldn't have agreed to buy from Brandon, and I wouldn't be doing this!” I feel for him. When we got home he explained that Braydon says he never mixes business with pleasure, so if he wants to date him, he’ll have to move to another location. “Everywhere is so expensive too…”


“…has Brian called you back?” I ask, his sour look deepens. “Me neither. I get it that they want to see the chief and not the cocky usurper at work, but we need him too!”


“You don’t think they’ve gotten married, do you?”


“No, Vic and Debs are giving them away, remember? Trust me, with their championing of their ‘relationship’ they would’ve said.”


“True!” He brightens up.


“Let’s charge our glasses to his continued bachelor-studliness!” I smile as I pour. Within seconds, we're spluttering and gagging. “Oh fucking crap this is disgusting!” Thankfully he’d also brought some water; we almost drain the jug trying to wash away the taste.


“Brian paid for this?!”


“He said a client gave it to him. It must have been a bad bottle...” I grimace, pouring the rest into the pond. “…let’s open another, cover the board please.”


KINNETIC - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


BRANDON


Brian and Justin are on their way to the park. They were here with Blake and Ted, discussing floor space, which was easy enough. However, we now have to refurbish another conference room to an office, so that they can share. Turns out that Justin takes working deep into the night to another level!


“Hi, babe, you okay?” Dijon smiles as he enters. I nod, ignoring the butterflying of my stomach. “I really like this place, it suits them, even though Justin hasn’t been…”


“..he has, as he named it and found the location before he left.” I pull him closer, us saying hello is interrupted by a gale of laughter. “Hey, Charlie, what’s so funny?!” I call out to our office manager as he passes carrying a box.


“Madam Hoity opened them!” He grins. “She just rang to arrange a time to collect the other wines that Brian had said she could have as the others tasted off. I said I’d save her a trip and have them couriered.” I high five him. “I’ll see you later, must make sure this is securely wrapped and with her within the hour!”


“Yeah, see ya.” I chuckle.


“Care to share?” Dijon tickles my side.


“Stop!” I squirm. “We’d noticed a few months back that whenever Lindsay stopped by things would go missing. Charlie saw she was eyeing a couple of boxes of Masseto. So, we replaced it with a mix of salt, pepper, blackcurrant cordial, Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar!”


“Oh that’s brilliant…now go and put a note in so she knows exactly what you’ve done!”


LIBERTY AVENUE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“Justin…” I grump. It’s been a hell of a week, first one of our major clients wanted a worldwide pitch, then Rage needed rewrites and apparently the reason for that is in front of me. “...why am I looking at a store with an Asswipe statue in it?”


“Because I bought them. The statue was Michael’s.” He nuzzles my chin. “I’m going to make this the only place to sell Rage the Avenger in the States.” He turns me around, opposite is Michael’s store, I start laughing. “Have I made you proud?”


“Immensely…” I kiss him hungrily. “...can the explanation of the statue be quick though? We’ve got Hazure Park to have a picnic in.”


“That basket has more lube and sex toys than food!” I growl at his giggling. “Okay, okay! It was Ted’s idea, it’s for inspiration and taunting purposes. We need a new villain, and who better than Michael’s hero?”

 

End Notes:

Please be kinid and constructive if reviewing, thanks.

Cliff Diving Hideaway by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 19 - CLIFF DIVING HIDEAWAY


HAZURE PARK - AN HOUR LATER


JUSTIN


I put down the basket under my gorgeous husband’s censorious glower then step into our, seriously only him, swan with a crown pedalo! “Can you…okay, okay…” The nostril flaring makes me sit down. “...please pass the basket.” He waits for me to secure it before getting in. “May I help paddle?”


“Nope. There’s an engine - we need our strength.” Goosebumps bloom at his touch to my thigh. “Got you a blanket.”


“You’re a proper boy scout.” I murmur, curling under it. “Why an island in the middle of the pond?” 


“It’s a lake, and just because.” He smiles, whilst I marvel that, after all this time, we can sit in silence. 


He leads me to a bungalow and hands me a key. “Not going to carry me over the threshold?”


“Want me to?” His breath tickles my ear. C, I snort a no and unlock the door. “Light’s to the left.” 


“Brian…oh my gosh! How, when, I don’t…” 


He hands me an envelope. I tear up when I see what’s inside. From a drunken doodle, he has recreated my perfect hideaway. It's one massive room with low sofas, a day bed, a wood fire stove, the pendant lights give off an ambient glow. I kick off my shoes to scrunch my toes in the rug. “Is this wool? And what’s back there?”


“Merino, large bathroom and a kitchenette.” I wrap my arms around him, holding tighter when a tear drops on my head. “I was…so devastated that I trashed the loft, almost busting my hand in the process. I told them that I had a break in…”


“Why? Before you say, let’s sit down.” At first he’s reluctant. When I pat my lap, he lays on his back with a sigh. I stroke his hair and wait. 


“Imagine what they’d do if I said I was broken-hearted because you’d left?”


“Dragged you to the backroom or hired a gigolo? So, um, have you had anyone in either place?”


“No. They’re ours. Whilst the loft was being redecorated I lived above Babylon.”


“Why?!” 


“Seriously, Sunshine?” He grumbles.


“Ah, being there mostly kept them away from you?” He nods. “They just see you as a fuck machine, wank dream, wallet or baby maker.” 


“How you see me is all that I care about. I was there for six months, when they’d come around the first things they’d ask were ‘what were they like’ or 'how many times did you do it without cumming’.” He strokes my wrist. “Then came the first house. I felt for Mel and Ben, who really tried but they, as per usual…”


“…failed the test?” I grouse, unsurprised at how blind they are when it comes to seeing his pain, no matter the cause. “Let me guess, they had keys and let themselves in every time?” His face darkens, I kiss his forehead. “Spit it out, nothing is as bad as what they did to the boys.”


“True…” He pulls me to lie on top of him. “...blanket.” After tucking us in, I stroke his stomach. “They did help me with the clean up. I didn’t notice at first, then Michael found your sweatshirt and told Lindsay to add it to the rest in the trash.” I start to grind my teeth. “You’ll get a migraine.” I roll my neck until the tension eases. “It was their expressions. They looked so gleeful and encouraging about me slinging it, saying it was the only way to…to leave you dead and buried in the past.” 


BRIAN


“Dead and buried? Which one said that?” He growls.


“Michael.” I can still see his expression. “Lindsay was appalled for about three seconds before laughing. They don’t know, actually they wouldn't care that I heard them. At one point I thought they were going to dumpster dive to make sure your stuff was as deep as possible. Thank god I didn’t let them help me with the office, as that’s where I found it!” He kisses my neck. “I think that’s when he must have taken it…” 


“What?”


“The contract that Loretta drew up for you…” He sits up. “…oh, I forgot to tell you. Ted told me Michael and Lindsay said they read your contract, he must have taken it from the loft.”


“Jesus fuck.” He lies back down. “I shouldn't have just walked….” I blink back tears. “…but I was so done. I didn’t check my messages for a year. I tried to call to explain, but…” 


“…I got another number. I just switched the phone off, I couldn't bear to get rid of it just in case. I was too scared to call you so kept the phone with that.  I got good and drunk, again, and checked. I was so happy to hear your allergy sniffle.” I pinch his cute button nose. “That's why I came to Italy. When I saw you I knew I had to bring you home, to show them how proud of you I am for becoming exactly who they feared. And so you could cook me some beef bone ramen.”


“Oooh!” He licks his lips. “I’ll do that tomorrow at Taykin…”


“Taykin? Really Sunshine?” I mutter into his hair.


“Yes, Taykin…for Taylor Kinney, which describes us perfectly! So let’s get the needful on the way home, I’ll prep it all; we’ll spend the day and night then show off our rings and marriage certificate at the diner in the morn…why are you crying? We're together now.”


“I know…” I hiccup. “…I got really sick and made some, it didn't taste the same.”


“My love was missing.” He wipes my face with the hem of his tee. “You have it now and forever.” His kiss makes my dick twitch.


I push him on his back. “We’re playing lucky dip, whatever comes out first, we use…” He smoulders as I unzip his fly then reach for the basket. “…let the games begin.”


CAT SANCTUARY - SAME TIME


BEN


I smile as Ems carefully selects everything that would be needed for his four cats. We came in for one, but he couldn't bear to separate them. 


“I won’t be much longer, I promise!” He tosses over his shoulder. I hunker down then check behind me. “Benjamin!” He squeaks as I stroke his bared back. “Behave, we’ve got to settle them in, that has to take priority over that…” He firmly tucks in his top. “…as great as that is going to be.”


“How do you…he told you?!” 


“Yes!” I help load his purchases onto the counter. “But I can assure you that I am much better in bed!”


My jaw drops. “You know what he's like in bed?!”


“Of course, he told me everything! Are you really a screamer?” He wrinkles his nose. “My walls are thin and…why are you smiling like that?!”


“I didn’t scream that much. When did Justin tell you?”


He blinks rapidly. “Justin…does Brian know?!”


“Who were…Michael’s never topped me nor has he made me scream with pleasure! As for Brian, he does. I made sure of that.” I cringe at my behaviour then. “That’s why he did Brandon…” The walk to the car is silent, I stop him as he unlocks the door. “…is this going to be a problem?” 


“When was it?” His gaze is ahead. “This is the other legend of Liberty Avenue…”


“When we first met, friendship grew from that; he doesn’t do repeats.” His relief matches mine. “The other legend?”


“Oh yes…” I grin as he opens my door. “…they have the same energy, recovery rate and zero complaints! I didn't know about him and Bran…ooh, what’s the more?!”


“Michael was so jealous that he couldn't get in the mood for a fortnight!” The kiss is deep and full of promise. “I think we should tell him about Justin fucking me…”


“...when we say we're official.” He giggles.


LAKE BUNGALOW


JUSTIN


I shuffle forward, he rests his head on my shoulder. I pause as he takes in his face. “I should be pissed.” He murmurs. “I didn’t pack anything that wasn’t either feeding our libido or stomachs. You’re only forgiven because you’ve captured me perfectly.” I snort and resume shading. “How did you do that so quickly?”


“That's the cover sheet.” He flicks the page and starts to smile. “And the next…”


“…whoa.” He sighs. “Have you ever?”


“No. Who’s going to…” My question disappears into the heat of his mouth, I turn without breaking the kiss and unsnap his jeans. Seconds later, he’s pushing me to the floor. “...you, you’re going….” I jerk at the crack across my ass. “...what was that for?”


He nips my ear. “Problem?”


“No.” I squirm as he kneads my cheek. “As long as I can…oh!” I groan as he mouths where he spanked.


“Yes you can, now let me finish.”


JUSTIN


For the last ten minutes, I’ve moaned and rutted as his palm and mouth set me on fire. “I really…uh…Mr Kinney fuck me now!” 


“Spread your legs…” I cry out at his swift thrust. ”..this what you wanted?”


“Yeah, so good, so good!” My joy turns to frustration as he goes, and holds me still. “Brian, move!” I gurgle as him leaning over deepens the angle. “Oh god!” 


“Now for the good bit!” He whispers, my lust filled brain doesn’t compute, it’s when he lifts my legs around his waist that I remember the sketch. “Ho…ly shit this fucking view!”


I’m yelling and writhing as he thrusts and tugs on my cock, the tenderness from the spanking heightening my pleasure. Only he can drive me this wild, the sound of his flesh against mine, but mostly it’s his voice. His cries of abandonment as he plunders me add to my pleasure. 


“Cum!” He demands. I shake my head, wanting this to never end. “Bossy bottoms don’t get to choose…” He deals out six sharp slaps. “...cum!” 


BRIAN


The heat on my cock has me looking down, he's amused. “I was resting my eyes.” I tug his hair. “Up and gimme some.” I drain the glass. “Nice…what is it and are you okay?”


“Deliriously happy and deliciously sore.” He purrs and stretches. “Masseto 1999.” He tops us up then gives me his phone. “Charlie needs a raise.”


I toss it aside. “Not as much as I need your dick to cliff dive into my ass.”

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing, thanks.

Shots Fired by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 20 - SHOTS FIRED 


WOODY’S - THREE DAYS LATER


LINDSAY


Just as I’m about to text, Michael dumps his stuff on the table. “Sorry, meeting with Braydon overran! Let me get a bottle of Chocolate Box, sliders and…”


“…oh, what’s the occasion?!” I smile.


“Been a pisser of a day.” 


“You too!” I sigh. As he heads to be served, I cast my eye over the crowd; very slim pickings. I have tried to get him to drink near our new home, but he is a very stubborn creature of habit! 


“Hey, beautiful…” Loretta calls as she approaches. “…where’s Mikey? Or do we have you to ourselves?”


“We?” I frown as I hug her. 


“Dusty will be joining us in about half an hour. So Mikey?”


“At the bar getting Chocolate Box and sliders…”


“Be right back!” She’s true to her word. “He’s playing waiter. So how was your day? By that expression, it was as hard as mine.”


“To say the least! Was yours a court for shit or Mel for shit kind of day?” I am still smarting from the cold hearted and humiliating end of our relationship. 


“Bit of both; more Mel adjacent. Thank god he was quick!” She starts to make room for the wine and beer, although he doesn’t look happy. “What’s wrong?”


“No sliders...” He sighs. “…gonna grab the booth, someone bring my stuff.” 


“Let him come back for it, we're not his maids!”


“True, I need the ladies, can you wait or…”


“Go, I’ll take yours.” 


We haven't gotten two steps when a group of twink regulars claim the table. “Hey, that’s mine, bring it over buddy!” Michael orders. “What the hell?! I said bring it over!”


“That’s why it's on the floor!” One of them returns. As the door closes on raucous laughter, I doubt he will ever learn!


LORETTA


“Maybe I should check on Lindz, she’s been a while. Excuse me…”


“She’s just coming. I knew it, there’s stuff missing!” Michael grumbles, heading back to the table. He really should stop coasting off who Debbie and Vic are!


“Where’s our ‘lord and master’?” Lindz giggles. “And why isn't this open?”


“We need a corkscrew…ah, excuse me!” I declare as a barman passes. “Could you do the honours, please?”


“Oh, right, give me a sec.” He swiftly opens it, then takes out a card reader.


“What are you doing?” Michael demands as he returns. 


“Corkage. Sign is clear, there’s a fee for bringing your own wine.” 


“We bought it…” I protest.


“He said it was take out…”


“Oh for god sake!” I snap, handing over my card. “Are there sliders?”


“As I told him, we have everything except beef.”


“I see, please can we order a slider platter for four, with a green salad?” As I pay and the barman chuckles, Scrooge squirms. “Thank you.”


“Welcome, it’ll be about 30 mins.”


“That’s fine.” I take the wine, pouring our glasses first. “So you wanted to be cheap and because they didn’t have beef, we weren’t going to have any?”


“Sorry, I’ve had a bad day. Can you add fries to the order, whilst…”


“You want fries, you go order it!” I snap. “A bad day seems to be the theme. What happened?”


“Braydon has put it in the rental contract that if he feels I am being ‘overly familiar' he will terminate the lease, then I  have 24 hours to find another location and he keeps the deposit!”


“That’s a bit hardcore!” I scoff.


“That’s knowing him so well in such a short time.” Someone snipes. 


“Honey, behave…” Another chuckles. “...although I might pop in the store and ask him who drew that up.”


“How very amusing, next time say it to my face!” Michael exclaims.


“Which one?!” Is yelled back.


“So what caused your bad day, Lindz?” I forestall his retort.


“I’ve been trying to get a meeting with Justin, Sidney and Leda to discuss the…”


“Leda? Why are you speaking to her?” Loretta huffs.


“Oh, we hadn’t told you both!” Lindz exclaims. “She’s ‘working’ with Justin and some artists he ‘represents’…”


“Who would want to be represented by him, let alone her?!” She snarks.


“If it’s to be believed, Sam Auerbach.” Lindz scoffs. “I’ll be reaching out to his office and…”


“...get nowhere.” Leda sneers. “You will never be one of the few people he discusses his career with, unless you switch your cock lust from Brian. If you do though, you would...”


“...as a lesbian, I…”


“...would need to improve a fuckton: both your technique, she always faked, and your acting, she always knew.” She turns to Loretta. “By rights, I should…”


“Leda! Put up an arm or something, we're not all tall and gorgeous like you!” 


LINDSAY


 “You have got to be…” Loretta searches the crowd.


“Found her! She’s in the back booth!” Blake joins us. “She’s with your exes and Ms Hamilton Burger!” 


“Who the hell are you?!” Loretta fumes.


“Be quiet, Hamie…” He sniffs as Leda chuckles. “...ooh, are you guys going? You are? Now darling, you sit, I'll gather!”


“Where do I know that turd from?!” Loretta mutters.


“The hospital.” Michael whispers beckoning us closer. “He’s Blake, one of the ‘writers’ of Rage. I’ve got to play nice until I can expose them to the world when I get on the inside.”


“So when are you meeting up with them?” I ask.


“That’s proving very difficult, which is a sure sign that they’re hiding something.”


“Can I put these down?!” The waiter makes us jump. He sighs whilst we make room. “Is there anything else you need?”


MICHAEL


“Another bottle of wine, opened please.” I declare. “We need to…” I trail off as Mel, Ben, Emmett, Ted and another woman approach; as if my day couldn't get any worse!


“Daphne, hi!” Loretta stops her. “Why wasn’t I told she was coming, Mel?”


“Why would I tell you what my friend is doing?” Mel queries. 


“Friend?!” I scoff. “So Leda was the beard, how long has this been going on?”


“Michael, this is none of your business - stop getting on a bitchy scouting mission and focus on your own many issues!” Emmett lectures. “Come on sweeties, food's coming…”


“Lack of denial noted, isn’t that what you’d say when someone didn't answer the question?” I jibe. “Lindsay deserved better treatment…”


“We deserved better, which is why we dumped you.” Ben snipes. “Ems, what food? We’ve only just got here.”


“Ordered ahead, beef sliders, wings, fries and Aunt Lula got them to add the lamb ribs as a special. Oh and a couple bottles of red and fizz.”


“Hello all!” Ma approaches with Carl, she looks between booths. “Hey Markie, can we have the big table please?!”


“Sure we’ll clean in a sec!” 


“Thanks hun!”


“Ma what are you doing?!” I gasp, for once I'm not the only one horrified!


“Knocking heads together! Vic, we're on the head table! Now everyone moves!” 


TEN MINUTES LATER


DEBS


I wink at Carl. It was Lula’s idea; she is such a wily cat! She’d heard that Michael and Lindsay were going to be here, and in order to kill all the birds with one stone, she told Ben and Emmett to be in Woody’s at the same time. Mel was in the diner with Leda and insisted they come. Brian and Justin are joining us soon.


“Michael…” I growl as he tries to move our order to their end. “...you’re sharing a table, not food! Carl, would you mind?” 


“Sure honey, Mel could you help?”


“With pleasure!” She smirks.


“Rodney, over here!” Vic grins as he makes space. Mel and Loretta look thrilled, then Michael is poleaxed as they kiss. “How was your day?”


“Better than expected. I got a lot…oh hello dear one!” 


“Hi Rodney!” Loretta beams. “How lovely to…”


“Mel, darling how are you?!” He scurries around to hug her, Loretta clears her throat hard. “Ms Pyle.  Mel, I’ve not…what are you doing here?!”


“Rodders!” Daphne squeals as she hugs him. 


“Daph! Unhand my man!” Vic giggles.


“Oh hush, you get him all the time!”


“Introduced her already, Mel?” Michael carps.


“Michael, why don’t you introduce yourself properly...” Daphne sashays over, hand outstretched. “…and I’ll reciprocate.”


“At least she’s polite, you could learn from her. I’m Michael, best friend to Brian Kinney, and Lindz, Mel’s ex.”


“Daphne Chanders….” She shakes as she speaks. “...straight, mother of a daughter, soon to be junior partner in Mel’s part of the practice.”


“Junior partner?!” Loretta gasps. “I thought you were coming in as an assistant! And what part of what practice?!”


“I am overqualified. Mel’s a determined negotiator as well as a brilliant attorney. I wanted to work with the best. Although I don’t start for a year as I need to wind up my practice first.” She tightens her grip. “Now, you need to apologise for the aspersions you cast or our association is going to be very unpleasant.” The tug is firm, her gaze unwavering. “Unless of course Mel doesn’t want it…”


“I don’t.” Mel replies. “But thanks for putting him on the spot.”


“Melanie, I asked what part of what practice?”


“Due to an NDA she can’t answer that.” Daphne returns. “And your welcome, I’m good at that. Now let me at those sliders!” 


Michael’s pinched and red face is a joy. They pick at their food, whilst we make a show of enjoying ours. “I am stuffed! I can’t eat another thing!” I sigh.


“We can’t have that going to waste! We’ll take it home with us and…”


“You will not, Michael!” Vic snaps. “Ben and Ems can knock up something with the leftovers I’m sure.”


“Ben and Ems?” Lindsay looks at them, her jaw slowly dropping. Before she can crap on them her phone rings. “Hi, Dusty…on the large…yes we’ve ordered food and beer…but Dusty, hello, hello…”


“Trouble in paradise?” Blake simpers, earning a glare.


“Uncle Vic…” She buzzes. “…how long have you and Rodney, is it, been an item?”


“Long enough to spend several nights.” I snicker, the jealous puritans look appalled.


“Oh what the hell?!” Dusty growls as she approaches. “Lindz, Lore, can we step outside for a minute please?” 


Michael gawps at their departure, he turns back at the snickering. “I’ll find out later.”


“Hmm, no doubt…” Ems smiles. “...Benjamin!” 


“I was tucking your tee back in.” He leers.


“Aww the first flush of lustful love…” Ted grins. “...so happy for you two. I don’t think I’ve ever seen…”


“You two?!” Michael explodes. “Wow, just wow! How long have you been lusting after him?!”


“Hmm…” Ben stares him down. “...immediately. But I was fooled by you, such a wasteful timesuck.”


“Lindsay!” Michael bleats as they return. “Emmett has proved that he was never my friend, they’re ‘dating’!”


“How treacherous, but knowing his history it won’t last long!” She sneers. “Why are you doing this?!” 


“Because we want to.” Ems drawls. “And with the support of our friends, who you’re not, nor ever were, one we will continue to do.”


“Well you got that right, you were an acquaintance, a source of irritation who I was forced to be kind to, no longer! I was talking to the ‘beard’. Why can’t you leave Dusty alone?!”


“Lindz, please stop…” Dusty takes a beer. “...what’s left to eat?”


“Pick the bones of what’s near your other vultures.” Leda snipes, Michael looks between them. “Want me to explain why she’s so upset?”


“Leda, don’t you…”


“She’s got to pay spousal support. Backdated, after the shit job my former attorney and their friend did!”


“Look, why don’t…”


“You shut up before I refer you to the bar association? Yeah, why don’t you do that?!”


“Why would you?” Rodney frowns.


“Because she recommended the attorney to keep things as painless as possible - painless for Dusty is what she meant, there’s no way she didn’t know their connection!” 


“I had no idea they knew each other!” Loretta exclaims. “Once client attorney privilege came into effect, I…”


“And no prizes for guessing how they connected!” Ben spits. “Since we're talking about divorces, who is going to represent you in ours?”


“I’ve not even thought about it!” Michael seethes.


“Funny how when Brayden was your ‘boyfriend’ you were laying claim to the house and wanting support!” Vic makes some of us giggle. “You need to find someone quickly and…”


“I’ll represent you Michael.” Loretta declares. “And Lindz, it will be a class action as it were.”


“Thank you, I know you’ll do your very best for us!” Lindsay gushes, whilst Michael cuts his eye at Ben and Ems, who are finger canoodling, they are so cute!


“Well unless you have an objection Mel, I’ll also take on Ben?” Daphne states, when Mel shakes her head, she turns to him. “Ben, would you like me to do that?”


“Oh yes please!” He grins, whilst Ems leans across to kiss her cheek.


“Done, will send you both contracts at the end of next week. Leda and I should wrap up in...” 


“You’re Leda’s attorney?!” Dusty gasps. 


“Yep.” She levels the same cold gaze she gave to Michael. “We should close this in about a month, as long as you behave. Oh actually, that’s a point, when is Justin free to talk about the Rage distribution contract? Damn my brilliance is tiring!”


“Rage?” Michael gulps.


“She’s our attorney!” Blake crows and wiggles. “She’s an all rounder superstar!”


“Blake, stop it. What he means is that I specialise in both marital and commercial law...oh hello I was just talking about you!” 


“Hi all. And hi again. Who are you here with?” Justin frowns at Rodney.


“Me!” Vic beams. “We’re dating! And speaking of dating; you’re grooms and best are together!”


“Thank fuck!” Brian smiles whilst Michael looks gut punched. “Why is Rodney…”


“Dating Uncle Vic!” Justin giggles, pulling out a chair. “Sorry, what was I thinking?!”


“Well if his admin skills are comparable. I am surprised you’re upright! And I don't know what you were thinking, now sit twot!”


“Judge Russo…” Rodney gasps. “...is everything alright?”


“Yes, yes, calm yourself!” He chuckles. “I wanted to ask where he got the suit, you left before I could!”


“The one this morning? Armani, winter 2019, not sure if they’d have it though. I could have a word, if you give me your size.” Brian reaches for the wine. “Who’s driving?”


“You.” Justin declares. “So do you want him to Your Honour?”


“Oh yes please! Mr Kinney, Rodney can furnish you with all the details. Good evening everyone!”


JUSTIN


“Is everything alright Brian, why were you with a judge?” Michael froths. “Also, when can you come around to mine and Lindz’s? There’s so much we need to talk about, including the wedding, so it would just…”


“...no need for wedding talk.” I state, his eyes narrow. “Since we were in court with Judge Russo getting married a few hours ago.” I wait for the cheering and squealing to stop. “Who wants to see the ring?”


“Me!” Ems exclaims. “So happy for you two! Ooh, you must get Aunt Lula to do the party for you, she throws the best…”


“That’s wonderful.” Lindsay growls whilst Michael shakes like he has the DTs. “However, it would be best if Michael and I organise the party, since…”


“Brian, I thought you wanted Ma and Uncle Vic to give you away?” He states. “And what about the ring you were going to design?”


“They will, at our blessing, in about four months after we get the diamonds.”


“We don’t need to get them from there, it’s…”


“We are going to Japan to get them, end of discussion.” He glowers. “Get it.”


“Got it.”


“Good. Now more wine and food.” He kisses my head and goes to the bar, his besties swiftly following. 


As I clink with Ben, I remember our wedding in California three days after we made love. I had to go and put out a Sam Auerbach fire; he came and ended up saving the day. We were in a bar opposite a beautiful church celebrating his brilliance when he looked at it, looked at me and said let’s do this! And knowing his besties the way she does Aunt Lula said to get it registered here as well, and that way, they won't be able to try to ruin our actual anniversary!

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thanks.

The Mesh They Made by MissMerlot

CHAPTER 21 - THE MESH THEY MADE


BRIAN


I am grateful for the divine providence - in the form of a group of bears and otters - who got between me and the Gordian Knots! It gives me time to compose myself; I am beyond horny and have no intention of getting a brewer’s or angry droop because of them!


“What can I get ya, Kinney?!” Niels jerks his head. I see Justin heading to the john. “Order then use the office en suite, I can send someone to come get you if you want.” 


“We want! And also, three Chocolate Boxes, two of the beef sliders and lamb ribs…” I order whilst texting. “...actually, just hold off until one of us comes out!”


“Sure, go now!”


TWO MINUTES LATER


“I could hear your stomach rumbling!” I unzip my fly, smiling as he tosses his trousers aside with a knowing look. “Just this once, next time hang them properly!” My cock twitches as he slinks to his knees…seriously only he can do that! He buries his face in my crotch, his breath is all heat. “Justin, stop…”


“Why?” He mumbles, tonguing me through the cloth.


“I’m trying to get you off!” I squirm, pulling him up. His cock, jiggling in blue silk mesh boxers, has me gasping. “Where did you get those?!”


“Mr Kinney approves?” He pirouettes. I grab them, he grips my hands. “Don’t tear them!” 


“Are you kidding? They're made to be torn off so I can suck you dry!”


“I know, but please…” I tighten my grip as I drop to my knees. “...can the ripping wait till we get home?!”


TEN MINUTES LATER


NIELS


Kinney coming through the front door makes me chuckle as the window to the ensuite is small, so that took some determination. His gimboid friends are so busy watching for his return from the john whilst whispering and conniving they don’t see him sidle up next to them. 


“Planning our party?” He drawls.


“Brian!” Novotny squawks. “Where did you spring from?!” 


“Right here. So are you?”


“Of course we are!” Peterson twitters. “Do we get to see your ring?” 


“Sure, it’s a temporary one.” When he puts his hand on the bar, they look unimpressed. “He spoiled me; I wanted something a lot less, but he insisted.”


“Food’s on its way, Kinney.” 


“Thanks, Niels.” He smiles. “Make sure you call Aunt Lula and….” 


“We will, where are you going now?!” Novotny almost grabs his arm. “We need to know what you want, so let’s…”


“You need to let me finish. Call Aunt Lula when you’re with Ma and Uncle Vic. Then talk to Justin and me.”  


“Can’t it be a surprise for him?” Peterson wheedles as he heads back to the table.


He slowly turns, eyes narrowed. “No. Neither can it be child free. Peter, John, and their friends must be invited.” 


“Of course they will be!” She gurns.


“Actually, we’ll send you a guest list.” He declares. “Also, there is one thing that I can say; the colours from our stones need to be incorporated.”


“Thought you were getting the diamonds from Japan.” Novotny sneers.


“We are. I meant these wedding rings, we’ll use…”


“Why would you want them?” He exhorts. “Sorry, they look cheap, totally not your style.” 


“And the gold is tarnished.” She adds.


“Shows how much you know.” I interject. “Brown-green and blue-green sapphires are expensive and hard to find. And that’s old gold, not tarnished, it's meant to look like that.”


“Thanks, Niels, take supportive tips from him before you dip your snouts in our trough!” Brian retorts, leaving them red faced and a few patrons snickering. 


TWO MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


His husband, the bile that word induces, is twittering with Daphne and Leda. I can’t quite hear what’s being said, but catch Sam and Sidney’s names. I am about to move when Michael grabs my wrist and jerks his head; Brandon and Charlie approach all smiles, great just great!


“Hey, Bossman, heard congrats are in order!” He claps his shoulder. “Where's Bossman Too? Is there room for two more?”


“He's far too far away!” He gestures, he mouths something then carries on talking. “And yeah…did I order that much?!” He gasps as the food arrives. 


“I added since Bran and Charlie said they were coming.” Justin calls back. 


“How quick he is to spend Brian’s money!” Michael gripes before winking and helping himself to a slider and rib, I follow suit. 


“Wanna shuffle up, Bossman?” Charlie asks, smirking when Brian huffs but does move. “Bossman Too, you want your plate down there?!” 


“He might as well since he’s abandoned me!” Brian states. 


“Okay…” Charlie laughs. “…give him one of each?” Brian nods. My throat clogs with envy as he watches him plate up, rejecting pieces that a nose scrunch from the slattern deems unacceptable. “Which sauce do…”


“Lots of hot sauce. I love second hand hot sauce, from either end!” Brian growls, making some laugh and Michael and me grimace. “After you eat, come back down here!” 


“Oh, for crying out loud!” Daphne exclaims. “Go before he withers away!”


“Thank you, Daph!” Brian grins. It drops when he turns to Dusty. “Can you move, please, then I can sit next to Michael.”


“Wh…okay, okay!”  She winces at Michael’s sharp jab. “Debs, is there room for a chair next to you?”


“No need, Rodney and I are going!” Uncle Vic declares. “Sis, are you going to be with Carl tonight?”


“No, so don’t put the deadbolt on!” More laughter follows. Michael, who’s rightfully annoyed as Justin is hi-fived by Rodney and Uncle Vic before they leave, grimaces. “There might be another wedding at this rate!”


“Surely not?!” Michael gasps. “I haven’t even met him yet!”


“Who was talking about them? Me and Carl might be next!”


“Or even Ems and Ben!” Brandon returns Michael’s glower. “Ben, have you sorted out an attorney? If not, I can…”


“…Daphne is doing mine and Mel’s.” He smiles. 


“Jesus, which sad fuck is up against her?!” Brian snorts.


“Luckily…” Dusty declares. “...Loretta isn’t here to have heard that!”


“Happy to repeat it when she is!” He tosses back. 


“Cut it out you two!” Carl orders as he sits next to Debs, much to everyone’s surprise. “Bumped into Vic and Rodney…” He pours himself a large glass of wine. “...congrats, boys, delighted for you two, and…” He turns to Emmett and Ben. “...you two!”


“Thanks!” Emmett giggles. “Couldn't have done it without you. Wanna work your magic on a couple of others?”


“Now where are you going?!” Brian demands as the slattern stands.


“Bathroom, be right back!” He brushes his cheek then waddles off.


MICHAEL


“So you were instrumental in the implosion of my marriage…”


“...that was all you!” Ma exclaims. “So, Kiddo, why is Loretta a sad fuck to come up against Daphne?”


“You continue lusting after Justin.” Daphne laughs. “I started as a junior in a divorce case, but realised that my lead was screwing the ex. I switched to the other side, utterly destroyed them - I mean ex-wife and now former partner of the firm. Repped his wife afterwards.”


“And that’s how we met.” Blake smiles. “The husband was Sam Auerbach.”


Lindsay spits wine across the table, eyes streaming as she coughs and splutters. “Wa…water!” She croaks, I quickly hand her some and mop up. 


“Good god what’s happened?” Loretta exclaims as she and Jusin return. He sits and rolls his eyes. “What did you say to her, Mel?!”


“Mel didn’t say anything!” Blake retorts. “As for what, we were discussing the odds of you winning against Daphne…”


“...Bri…Brian, give me your handkerchief!” Lindsay croaks.


“Best to use a napkin…” Justin snipes.


“Oh, for god sake!” I snatch it out of his pocket and start to clean her face.


“Thank you, Michael…” She takes it off me with a smile. “...I can manage the rest.”


“Justin, it’s just a handkerchief…” I huff. “...you  know how sensitive her skin is!”


“Why would I?” He snarks. “Besides, they’re my boxers he used as a cum rag earlier. Don’t worry though, we're both clean, them not so much.”


“You mean it’s got…” She looks from the boxers to me and back again. “...oh my god!”


“Lindz, come with me!” Loretta starts to lead her away. “Dusty, can you come too?” 


“If she does, that makes three of us in the last hour!” Brian dissolves into laughter. 


“It’s not funny, Brian!” I fume.


“You’re right, it’s hysterical!” He looks under the table. “Seems she took them with her. Make sure she doesn’t throw them away, as they're part of our trousseau! And Justin, you need to apologise…” 


“Damn right he does!” I seethe. “He did that deliberately!”


“No, you fucking did. Justin said to use a napkin!” Brandon’s hissing silences the table. “So why haven’t you gone to wash your hands, hoping to lick them later?!”


“Brandon!” Brian explodes. “Apologise!”


I lean back, smiling at Brandon and Justin’s stunned ugly mugs. “You heard your boss…”


“…I would rather be fired than apologise to him!” Brandon snarls.


“I mean us…” Brian devastatingly declares. “...it’s our honeymoon night!” 


“Oh, in that case, sorry Bossman and Bossman Too!” 


“Thank you. Michael, you need to apologise to Justin for not listening, then to Lindsay for putting her in that position in the first place!” The entire bar is quietly watching. “After you’ve washed your fucking hands!” 


“You heard him…” Ma jabs my shoulder. “…get up! Let him through!” I am so humiliated as they part like the frigging Red Sea, disgusted and amused looks come from all directions. “And make sure you use sanitiser!”


TEN MINUTES LATER


DUSTY


“He’s making a call.” Niels explains Michael’s delay to a furious Debs. “He’s…”


“…taking the fucking piss!” Brian snarls. “Whilst I go get him, Lindsay, give them back or pay for a replacement now!” Red faced, she follows him to the bathroom.


“This isn’t funny!” I hiss at the snickering. “Imagine if it were you going through that!”


“They’re coming back!” Justin announces. Lindsay is near tears as she puts a bundle of tissues in front of him. “Niels, have you got a paper bag, she can put them in?!” 


“Sure.” He saunters over with it. “You need to remove the tissue, the chemicals will play havoc with the delicacy of the silk.”


“Surely he can do that!” I object. “She’s handled them enough, especially…”


“You need your eyes checked!” Brian rasps. “Twice she tried to take them! Michael, stop stalling, you’re only making it worse.”


“You heard him!” Debs growls. “Say it, or our relationship is over!”


“I apologise, Justin!” Michael grits out, the silence stretches on. “Do you accept my apology?”


“Of course not, I wanted you to do it!” Brian sucking face with Justin is so revolting! “Let’s go home…” He helps him into his coat. “...oh, by the way, Mikey, Lindz, that was the first of many apologies you owe and you’re gonna say them. Even if it takes till the end of time!”

 

End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing, thank you

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1701