Still The One by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Relationships are tested.

Story #71 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 41258 Read: 5081 Published: Dec 28, 2021 Updated: Dec 28, 2021

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 - Epilogue by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Still the One



 


 

Chapter 1


May 2025


 

Brian stared out the window wondering how his life had suddenly gotten so complicated and out of control.  As he swept his eyes around the loft, he could see the large empty platform bed through the slats.  The navy blue sheets were rumpled, the duvet and pillows tossed aside.  Brian sighed.


On New Years Eve things hadn’t gone quite like Brian planned.  Maybe he had gone overboard or maybe he had been too ridiculously romantic.  Brian thought he had everything planned and well organized.  He had proposed to Justin minutes to midnight expecting an immediate answer, the usual mushiness and the anticipated attack of allergies.  The silence he received was totally out of character and it made Brian feel certain emotions he hadn’t felt in years.  He was almost tempted to do something very foolish, something that would have truly ruined his life but his logical brain kicked in just in time to boot his angry vengeful brain in the ass. 


Brian stood, then stoically placed the box that contained the rings on the mantle.  Retrieving his glass of champagne, he downed the rest of it then returned to the kitchen to put their dinner on the table.  Brian didn’t mentioned the proposal for the remainder of the night.  He inquired about Justin’s trip into the city and made small talk throughout dinner.  After dinner they cleaned up then went to bed.


Brian eventually got his answer but it took time and not without an inquisition and aggravation.


*****


New Years Day 2025


“Brian, can we talk about this?” Justin ventured over breakfast.


“What’s there to talk about, Sunshine?  I asked, you didn’t answer,” Brian snarked as he stared into his coffee. 


Justin knew Brian’s tone all too well.  It meant he was angry but more importantly Brian was hurting.  Badly.  If Justin didn’t make it right somehow, and soon, he might be risking everything that they worked so very hard to build.  He might even be risking Brian’s trust, and that was the one thing Justin never wanted to lose.


But now wasn’t the time.  Brian was too angry to hear Justin.

 

*****


When the holidays were over and Bree was back to school, normal everyday life returned to the lane.


“Will you allow me to explain?” Justin asked as he ventured into Brian’s attic office.  Brian was working from home reviewing a campaign strategy from the new Kinnetik North.  Justin sat on the futon opposite Brian’s desk.  Brian slowly slid his chair slightly to the right so he could see Justin’s face.  He nodded and waited. 


“You took me by surprise,” Justin said.  Brian raised an eyebrow and gave Justin that “duh” look.  “Yeah, I know, that was obvious, but I really had no idea you were going to pop the question, again.  I figured once was enough.”


“We’re not legal.”


“Technically, no, and we could have changed that years ago when the Supreme Court made their decision but we didn’t at the time.  We never even discussed it, so I thought it was irrelevant.”


“Maybe it’s become relevant to me,” Brian softly stated.


“Why now?”


“What?”


“Why now?  It’s a legitimate question.  We’ve had every lawyer we know look over all of our documents, including our wills, and Bree’s adoption papers.  We are as legal as we can get.”


“Except for a marriage certificate.”


“You haven’t answered my question.”  Justin stood fast.  “Why now?”


Brian took a cleansing breath before trying to express his thoughts.  “We’ve been together twenty-five years; fifteen as a committed couple.  My accomplishments have exceeded anything I could have possibly dreamed of as a kid growing up.  And you have gone way beyond being the best homosexual you could ever be.  We’ve done it all.  I think, no, I know that this should be the next step in our life.”


Brian stood, his long legs traversing the attic in a couple steps to kneel again in front of his partner.


“I can’t give you a logical reason, Sunshine,” Brian said as he took Justin’s hands within his own.  “I realize how I must sound to you.  This goes against all that I once stood for.”


“No it doesn’t.  Your decision to come to my prom was a declaration of your love, although I didn’t realize it at the time.  And I remember a very public declaration of your intentions at Babylon several years ago,” Justin said with one of his famous smiles.  Brian suddenly felt some of the tension drain from his body.  Justin’s smiles still had that effect on him. 


“We had a beautiful ceremony with all our friends and family sharing it with us.  And please don’t say it wasn’t real; that would negate it.  It was very real for me.”

 

“For me too.  Even if same sex marriage was legal at that time I don’t think I would have been able to take that step.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I don’t think I had grown up enough.”

 

“And yet two years later you were grown up enough to want a baby.”  Brian shrugged.  “I get it, Brian,” Justin said after a moment’s reflection.

 

“Do you?  Really?”


“I think so.  But maybe the reasons don’t really matter, it's your feelings that do,” Justin said with sincere blue eyes gazing intensely into hazel ones.  “So ask me again.”  Brian slightly cocked his head.  “I’m serious, ask me again.”

 

Brian straightened.  “Justin Taylor, would you do me the honor of becoming my lawfully wedded spouse?”

 

“Yes, I will.”  Justin threw his arms around Brian’s neck; Brian gave Justin a hard hug then a loving kiss. 

 

“I have a request,” Justin declared.  Brian leaned back to see Justin’s face.

 

“I’d like a quiet ceremony, here on the lane.  We’ve already had the big showy ceremony; we don’t need all that again.”

 

“Bree will probably want to be involved.  Maybe Gus.”

 

“I have no problem with that.  But, Brian, are you sure about this?  It really won’t change anything between us.”

 

“I know but I want to do this.  I’m ready to do this.”

 

“And you don’t think you’ll be considered a Stepford fag?”  Brian winced.  “I didn’t say that to hurt you, but some people have long memories.”

 

“And I could give a flying fuck about what some people think.  The people who are important to me wouldn’t give a fuck either and they’re the ones that live in this cottage.”

 

“True.”

 

“Justin, I will never apologize for my past.  It helped to shape me.  But sometimes I regret the times I hurt you.”


“I fell in love with that man.  The no holds barred, tricking three, four times a day; twice that on the weekends, and Pittsburgh’s kick ass, number one adman.   And whatever hurt I may have experienced only strengthened me and made me love you even more.  You’ve never changed your core values and I pray to the gods that you never do.  You’re an honorable man, Brian Kinney.  You’ve never lied to me or to anyone else.”

 

“Maybe not but I’ve bent the truth now and then.”

 

“But for only the right reasons and only when someone needed your help.  Brian, I love you.  All of you.  Your past, present and future.  I will marry you for whatever reasons you may have and for the ones you can’t explain.”

 

Brian nodded then stood and walked to the balcony.  He looked out the windows toward the snow covered garden then shifted his gaze toward the meadow.   It too was covered in a light dusting of snow.  It all looked bleak, typical of a North East winter.  He felt Justin’s arms slowing snake their way around his waist and Justin’s head rested against his back.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t answer right away.  I’m sorry I ruined your beautiful dinner,” Justin murmured, kissing Brian’s back as he did.  He knew nothing he did could ever fully take away the hurt that Brian experienced that night.  But Justin vowed to try.  “And it was beautiful.”

 

‘But it wasn’t enough,’ was Brian’s immediate thought.  Fortunately Brian hadn’t said that out loud.

 

Justin gave Brian one last squeeze before going back downstairs into the main cottage to start dinner.  Brian waited until he heard Justin puttering around the kitchen before going back into his office and shutting the door.  He stood in the middle of the room for a moment before pulling out his cell phone.

 

“Did he say yes?” the voice asked as soon as the call was answered.

 

“Yes,” Brian replied.

 

“So does that mean you’re cancelling your next appointment?”

 

“No.”

 

“Monosyllabic responses; not good.  I’m with my last patient, I’ll be free in an hour.  Call me back if you can’t wait until your next appointment.  If not, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

Brian grunted his assent then hung up.  He sat at his desk and watched the bubbles of his screen saver wander around the screen.

 

*****


Debbie opened the front door of the little cottage on the lane.  A blast of cold air greeted her.  She pulled her fuzzy robe a little closer to her ample bosom and stepped outside.  She shivered in the cold, but turned to look up the lane at the conjoined cottages.  All was quiet and she was about to go back inside where it was warm and cozy, when a large shape appeared from around the side of her cottage.

 

"Oh my goodness," she gasped as Beau loped toward her.  She was still rather afraid of the big dog.

 

Beau stopped in front of her and cocked his head to one side.  He stared into her eyes.

 

"What, what do you want?" Debbie croaked out.

 

Beau gave a little rumble in his throat and took a step toward Debbie.

 

"Stay back!" Debbie ordered backing up closer to the door of the cottage.


Beau stopped, but he was quite near Debbie.  He could sense her fear and he wanted to correct that.  His tongue came out and he gave a sloppy lick to her hand.

 

Debbie jerked her hand away and Beau looked up at her with sad eyes.  She trembled and drew in a deep breath.  She wanted to run back into the cottage, but decided that it was better to stand her ground.  She rubbed her hands together wiping off the saliva from Beau's tongue.  She studied Beau's face seeing that he apparently meant her no harm.

 

"You know," she said in a soft voice, "I've never had much to do with dogs.  I have to get used to you coming around here."


Beau looked up at her and gave a little woof.


"I'm sorry I'm not friendlier to you, but you ... you're such a big dog."

 

Beau studied her, remaining quiet this time.  He felt like they were making some progress in this relationship.  He wished he could talk to her in words that she would understand.  He was doing his best to be friendly.

 

"Can you be patient with me?" Debbie asked.

 

Beau gave another little woof.  That was exactly what he was doing.  Couldn't this female see that he was being totally patient with her?

 

"The fact that you're still here is being patient, I suppose," Debbie informed the dog.

 

"Woof," Beau replied.

 

"Okay, okay," Debbie said.  "If you could come by when you see me outside, like today, maybe I could get used to your visits."  She gave a little chuckle after she made that statement.  Was she really making a date with a dog?

 

Beau heard the request.  He would be back tomorrow to see if she was available.  He gave a woof and trotted down the lane toward Emmett's cottage.

 

Debbie watched him go and breathed a sigh of relief.  The dog seemed harmless enough.  It was just that he was so fucking big!

 

She shivered in the cold, realizing that she had been standing outside for quite a while.  She watched Beau as he followed the path around Emmett and Drew's place.  She shook her head wondering if she would ever be comfortable with such a huge dog.  She turned and opened the door.

 

"There you are!" a booming voice stated.


Debbie gasped and grabbed her chest.  "Jesus!  You scared the shit out of me," she told her husband.

 

"What the hell were you doing outside in your robe?  It's like fifty below!" Carl exaggerated.

 

Debbie was about to make a snarky comeback, but she decided to have a little fun instead.  "I had a date," she said haughtily.


"A date?"  Carl frowned wondering what she was talking about.  "With who?"

 

"That's for me to know and you to find out," Debbie replied with a smirk, ala Brian Kinney, before heading for the coffeepot.  She poured herself a mug of the hot coffee then sipped carefully so as not to burn her mouth.  She wrapped her hands around the mug, feeling the warmth enter her frozen fingers.

 

"What the fuck is going on?" Carl demanded as he poured coffee for himself.  They both sat down at the table.  "You're going to catch your death being out in the cold without enough on.  And who was this mysterious date with?"

 

Debbie debated prolonging his concern, but then reached over and patted Carl's hand.  "I have a new Beau," she said with a chuckle.


"Debbie Horvath!  Stop tormenting me right now!"

 

"Okay, okay," Debbie conceded.  "I had an encounter with Beau the dog."

 

"Beau - the dog - is your new beau?" Carl asked still trying to decide whether he was being made fun of.  "I thought you were afraid of Beau."

 

"I am ... I was."


"Make up your mind."

 

Debbie sighed and took another sip of coffee.  She could feel her fingertips now.  That was a good thing.  "I went outside to see if anyone was out and about up at Brian's, but it was all quiet."

 

"Are you worried about them?"


"A little bit.  Something's off about Brian."

 

"Yeah, I know what you mean," Carl responded with a wrinkle in his brow.  "But back to Beau.  What happened?"

 

"He came around the corner of the cottage and scared the crap out of me," Debbie said with a laugh.

 

"It couldn't have been so scary, if you can laugh about it."


"I could have shit myself when I first saw Beau," Debbie stated forcefully.  "But then I started talking to him, thinking that would keep him at bay."

 

"And did it?" Carl asked.

 

"He came closer and then ... he licked my hand."

 

Carl laughed out loud.  "That must have reassured you."

 

Debbie stuck her tongue out at her husband.  "I nearly jumped out of my skin."

 

"But you didn't."

 

"No, I wasn't going to give in to ... terror."

 

"That's my girl," Carl chuckled.


Debbie smiled at him.  "We talked a little longer, and then I invited Beau to come back every time he saw me outside.  I thought maybe I could get used to him that way."

 

"That's a good idea.  Do you think he'll come back?" Carl asked.


"I don't know, but I was thinking..."


"Thinking what?"

 

"I would feel a lot better about Beau being around here if I was more comfortable around him.  Sooo..."


"What?  What are you hinting at?"

 

"Um, I thought maybe we could get some of those dog biscuits that John gives the dogs sometimes," Debbie explained.

 

"Oh, I see, you're going to bribe him."

 

Debbie made a face.  "It's not really a bribe."


"Speaking as a former policeman, I'd say that what you just described is decidedly a bribe."

 

"Okay," Debbie said sarcastically.  "It's a bribe.  But I prefer to think that the route to a dog's heart is through his stomach."

 

"I thought that only applied to a man," Carl informed her.  "And I'm not sure it even works on them."

 

"Well, it worked with you, didn't it?" Debbie retorted.

 

Carl laughed.  "Yeah, I guess it did ... among other things."

 

"I'm hoping it will work with a dog too."

 

"You could be right."

 

"We should ask John what dog biscuits Beau likes," Debbie said.

 

"We could walk up there later."

 

"After I fucking warm up," Debbie groused rubbing her arms.

 

"I can help you with that, Babe," Carl said getting up and walking around behind her chair.  He gently rubbed her shoulders and she sighed contentedly.

 

"I knew I kept you around for some reason," Debbie cooed.

 

"I hope you keep me for more than one reason."

 

"I can think of several good reasons," Debbie replied.

 

"That's good," Carl said as he ran his palms up and down Debbie's arms.  "When you and Beau become fast friends, our little world will be complete."

 

"I don't know about complete, but it will be better.  All I need is those dog biscuits."

 

"And then you will truly be part of the pack on the lane," Carl said with a chuckle.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One

 

 

Chapter 2

 

 

 

 

 

January-February 2025

 

“Will you be home any time this century?” Ray growled into his phone, he was spending the weekend visiting his brother and parents.  Ray was in his old room for some privacy.  Gus was nowhere to be seen; he wasn’t even in the country.

 

“We discussed this, you were the one who encouraged me to take up the challenge,” Gus growled back.  “You’re the one who told me to go to Canada and strut my stuff.”

 

“I know,” Ray sighed.  “But I miss you,” he said sadly, all the anger gone from his voice.

 

“I miss you too.  I love you.”

 

“I love you.  We’ve been living together for two years now.  I was hoping we could do something to celebrate,” Ray said.

 

“Yeah, we were a little busy last year,” Gus whispered.  “I’m not sure when I’ll be home.  His majesty is sending me to London for a week or two.  He wants me to meet more clients.”

 

“Fucking hell, Gus, are we ever going to spend time together?” Ray grumbled; his anger returned.

 

“You can always meet me in England,” Gus suggested.

 

“Are you serious?”

 

“Well, you do have an up to date passport, don’t you?  And they owe you some time off at that fancy law firm of yours, don’t they?  I can’t see your dad giving you any grief for asking for some time off,” Gus said smugly. 

 

Raymond was silently making calculations in his head.  “I’ll asked the minute I get into the office on Monday and I’ll ask Dad now.  Get back to me when you know the dates.”

 

“I’ll call my Pop now.”

 

“This may work!”

 

“Yeah!” Gus shouted.

 

“Gus, we really do need to spend some time together for it to be called a relationship,” Ray said seriously.

 

“I get that, but just because your parents were always together doesn’t mean we have to have a relationship just like theirs.  My 'rents spent tons of time apart and they’re still together,” Gus explained.

 

“But we’re not them,” Ray retorted.

 

“And we’re not your parents either,” Gus spat back.  The boys sighed.  “I don’t want to argue.”

 

“Neither do I.  I’m just tired of sleeping alone,” Ray whispered.

 

“Me too.  I’ll get those dates as soon as I can.  I love you.”

 

“Love you too.  Get back to me as soon as you can.”

 

“Tonight if possible.”  Gus hesitated then said, “Later,” before hanging up the phone.

 

Ray hit ‘end call’ then shoved the phone into his pocket.  He looked around his old room; some of his high school stuff was still on the shelves.  His books were neatly arranged on the bookshelf.  He wasn’t obsessed but Ray did like things neat unlike his missing boyfriend.  Brian liked to say that Gus took after Justin, a bit of a slob.  A very lovable sexy slob Ray thought.  He sat on the bed to reflect.  Ray looked up at the knock on the door, his father came into the room.

 

“Honey, are you all right?” his father asked as he sat beside his son.

 

“You didn’t have to knock,” Ray said.

 

“I know, Sweetie, it’s an old habit.  We always respected you boys’ privacy.”

 

“I know you did, Dad,” Ray said with a soft smile as he leaned his head against his father’s shoulder.

 

“What’s wrong, Baby, you can tell me anything.”

 

“I miss him.”

 

“Of course you do.”

 

“You and dad were always together.”

 

“And Brian and Justin are used to being separated for long periods of time for their careers.  But, Honey, it doesn’t mean they like it and they do make an effort to join each other whenever they can.”

 

“I just spoke to Gus.  Brian is sending him to London.  Gus asked me if I can get time off to join him.”

 

“You said yes, didn’t you?”  Ken pulled back to see his son’s face.

 

“I do have the time.”

 

“And your passport’s in the safe.  Come with me, young man,” Ken said as he grabbed his son’s hand then marched him to the den.  In the wall safe was Ray’s passport.  “First thing Monday morning you talk to your boss and let him...”

 

“Her.”

 

“Let her know that you deserve some time off to spend some quality time with one of the sexiest men alive.”

 

“Besides Brian Kinney!” father and son said together then laughed.  Ken shoved the passport into Ray’s shirt pocket.

 

“Let’s go down before your father sends out a search party for us.”

 

 

*****

 

 

“Brian, what brings you here?” Tom asked as he walked through the quiet Episcopal church then took a seat next to Brian.

 

“My Jeep,” came a snarky reply.

 

“Very funny.  What’s wrong?  Brian Kinney sitting in a church is not normal.”

 

“I’m not normal.”

 

“That goes without saying.  How can I help?” Tom sincerely asked.

 

“Do you miss it?”

 

“Miss what?”

 

“The church.”

 

“We’re in a church.”

 

“You know what I mean, the Catholic church.  You’re a priest.”

 

“I still am in a way, but just another kind of priest.  And yes, I miss it sometimes but God had other plans for me and I’m happier than I have been in years.”  Tom let Brian mull that over for a moment then he continued.  “Let me ask you something.  Do you miss it?”

 

“Miss what?"

 

“Tricking.  Fucking every man in Pittsburgh.”

 

“Only the gay half and not all of them, I do have standards,” Brian stated with a straight face.  “Sometimes, there are a lot of good looking men out there, but they’re not Justin.  I take my promises seriously.”

 

“I know you do.  You’re an honorable man.  But you haven’t answered my question.  Why are you here today?”

 

“On New Years Eve I asked Justin to marry me, officially; marriage license and everything.  He finally said yes.”

 

“Finally?  As in he didn’t jump all over you the minute that you asked?”

 

“Finally as in a few days later and after an in depth conversation trying to analyze my motives.  He doesn’t understand why I want to get married.  Do you think I’m crazy?”

 

“For wanting to marry the man you love?  I don’t think that’s crazy.  I’d say it’s about time.”

 

“Then why didn’t he say yes the minute I asked him,” Brian murmured, staring down at his hands in his lap.

 

“Did you ask him that?” Tom gently asked.  Brian nodded.  “What did he say?”

 

“That I took him by surprise and he wanted to know why after all these years together that I asked him now and not when it first became legal everywhere.”

 

“Legitimate reasons,” Tom said.  Brian shrugged.  “He said yes.  Does it matter that it took a few days?”

 

“It shouldn’t but it does.  My shrink and I are working on it.”

 

“Your shrink?  If you don’t mind me asking, how long has that been going on?” 

 

Brian stood to stretch his legs and walk around a bit.  “If I minded I wouldn’t be here.  To put it simply I’ve been feeling out of it for a while so a few months ago I called the only shrink I trust.  He’s been helping me to clear my path, so to speak.”

 

“And is it clearer?” Tom asked as he walked closer.

 

“Not yet but a lot less foggy,” Brian smirked.  “Padre, will you do the deed?”

 

“Perform the ceremony, you mean?”  Brian nodded.  “Of, course I will.  Just name the date and time.”

 

“The date will be the same just fifteen years later.  The time is to be determined.”

 

“Brian, I’m available to you and Justin any day, any time.”  Tom reached out to touch Brian’s arm.  Brian turned away, not ready to deal with the emotions.  “You and your family have done so much for me.  I’ll always be there for you.”

 

Brian reached his hand back.  Tom took it and gave it a squeeze.  He thought it a good sign when Brian squeezed back.

 

 

*****

 

 

The doorbell rang on the little thatched cottage on the lane.  Debbie hurried to the door.

 

"Claire!" she gushed.  "It's so nice that you called and wanted to come over.  Come in, come in," she ordered ushering Claire and her husband into the house.

 

"I'm sorry it took so long to come visit you, but the weather has been atrocious lately.  I baked an apple pie," she said handing the box in her hands to Debbie.

 

"You didn't have to do that."

 

"Yes, I did.  I hope you enjoy it."

 

"I'm sure I will.  I've had your pie before and it's delicious.  How are you doing, Steve?" Debbie asked.  "Let me take your coats."

 

"We thought you might like to go into town and do a bit of shopping.  The gift store called Cornercopia which is at the main intersection in Bridgeton, well, really the only intersection in Bridgeton," Claire chuckled.  "They're having a sale.  They always have the most interesting things.  Very eclectic and unusual stuff, a little bit of everything," Claire explained.  "And the gentleman who owns it is very interesting."

 

"I'd like to see what you've done with John's thatched cottage," Steve suggested as he took off his coat.

 

"We'd love to see your place first," Claire agreed, " if that's all right with you, Debbie."

 

"Of course.  Carl!" she bellowed and Carl appeared immediately from the bedroom, buttoning his shirt.  "The McNally's would like to see the house.  Could you show them around while I put the pie in the fridge."

 

Claire unbuttoned her coat and Carl led them around the small space explaining what they had done to incorporate their belongings.

 

When they were done with the short tour, Claire suggested again that they all go into Bridgeton together.  Steve could drive and they could have some lunch in town.  Soon they set off on their adventure.

 

 

*****

 

 

Brian answered the phone at the cottage.  "What?" he snapped.  It was someone from Kinnetik, most likely Theodore, and it probably was something he didn't want to hear.

 

"Brian, I...um...I...."

 

"Spit it out, Schmidt," Brian commanded.

 

"You're not going to like it," Ted replied.

 

"I already figured that out.  Just tell me."

 

"A little while ago a huge flower arrangement was delivered here.  It's sitting on the reception counter."

 

"And...?"

 

"You'll never guess who it was from."

 

"Max Jacobs," Brian replied almost in a whisper.

 

"Yeah, but...?"

 

"How did I know the flowers were from that arrogant sonofabitch?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"I had hoped being rude to him last November would have given him a hint that his interest in Kinnetik is not wanted.  But when you have an ego as big as his, you don't take 'no' for an answer."

 

"How...?" Ted asked.

 

"My ego is almost as big as his," Brian chuckled.  "But I'm not nearly as obnoxious,"

 

Ted almost choked.  "Not anymore," he mumbled.

 

"What?"

 

"Nothing, boss, nothing."

 

Brian debated pursuing the point as he had heard Ted's words, but he decided against it since Ted was right.  Brian wasn't as obnoxious as he had once been.

 

"So, dump the fucking flowers in the nearest wastebasket and pretend they never arrived."

 

"There was a note with them," Ted added before Brian could hang up.

 

"What words of wisdom did Jacobs care to impart?"

 

"It says that he's prepared to increase his offer substantially.  He will have Kinnetik, it says."

 

Brian snorted.  "Over my dead body."

 

"Don't say that, Bri.  He just might take you at your word."

 

"I'm not afraid of the fucker, and you shouldn't be either."

 

"Okay, okay," Ted agreed.  "Flowers in the garbage.  It's a shame because they really are beautiful."

 

"Wait!" Brian ordered.  "I just had a thought."

 

"What?"

 

There was silence on the line for several seconds.

 

"Keep the flowers.  The staff at Kinnetik might as well enjoy their beauty.  Send a message back to Jacobs."

 

"Okaay," Ted said uncertainly.  "What message?"

 

"Take this down word for word," Brian said.  "Thanks for the lovely flowers.  We would be prepared to receive such beautiful bouquets every week until Hell freezes over, which is when you will get Kinnetik."  Brian couldn't help but smile.  "Oh, and sign it, 'Brian Kinney, Still owner and CEO of Kinnetik'."

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"Very."  Brian cut the connection.

 

 

*****

 

 

"Don't you just love the ambience of a small town?" Claire asked as she and Debbie strolled along the main street of Bridgeton.

 

"Yeah, right," Debbie said looking around at the meagre selection of shops and restaurants.

 

"We had all this on one block in Pittsburgh," Carl said.  He and Steve were walking a little behind the ladies.

 

"You'll get used to small town life," Steve informed him.

 

"I'm not so sure," Carl replied feeling a sudden longing for the hustle and bustle of Pittsburgh.

 

"This is the shop I was telling you about," Claire said as they approached the main intersection of the town.  "Let's go in."

 

They all trooped inside where Claire was greeted warmly by a nicely dressed gentleman who kissed her on each cheek.

 

"Oh, Jacques, you're such a flirt," Claire said blushing.

 

"Mais oui," Jacques said with a charming smile.

 

"You know my husband, and these lovely people have just moved to Edna's Treasures Lane.  This is Debbie and Carl Horvath," Claire introduced them.

 

"Charmed," Jacques said taking Debbie's hand and kissing it.

 

"Hey," Carl said, suddenly paying closer attention to what was going on.

 

"Mr. Horvath, you have a lovely wife.  You're a lucky man."

 

"I know," Carl said annoyed.

 

"Are you here for lunch?" Jacques asked Debbie.

 

"Why yes, do you have a table?" Debbie asked clasping at the neck of her coat.  She felt all warm and fluttery inside.

 

"Maybe we should go somewhere else," Carl suggested.

 

"They have lovely sandwiches here in the tea room," Claire said.

 

"Oh yes, a sandwich sounds wonderful," Debbie gushed staring at Jacques.  "And a cup of tea."

 

"Since when do you drink tea?" Carl demanded.

 

"Since now!" Debbie spat out in reply.

 

"This way please," Jacques said.  "I have a delightful table for you, and please have a look around later.  We have some interesting objets d'art."  I'll send the waitress right over," he added and headed toward the back of the shop.

 

"What the hell are objay darts?" Carl asked.

 

"Trinkets, artisan pieces..." Claire said.

 

"I wonder if Jacques has some cat statues," Debbie mused.

 

Carl made a face but didn't say anything.

 

"He probably does," Claire informed her.  "I've found the most unusual things here."

 

Their waitress arrived and they placed their orders from the small sandwich menu.  While they waited for the food Claire and Debbie went to look around the shop.  Carl watched as Jacques immediately appeared to show them around and talk way too much to Debbie.

 

"I don't think I like that fella very much," Carl observed.

 

Steve chuckled.  "He's okay, just likes to flirt with the ladies."

 

Carl did not find Jacques' attentions to his wife at all amusing.  "Do they serve beer here?" Carl asked.

 

"Afraid not, just tea and coffee," Steve replied.

 

"Too bad," Carl said.  "I could use a tall one."

 

"Here's the food," Steve said as their sandwiches were delivered.  He waved to Claire who pulled Debbie away from Jacques and back to the table.  They ate in silence for most of the meal, with Claire making the occasional comment.  When they were done with the sandwiches, Jacques appeared to offer dessert.

 

"We have a fine array of cakes, pastries and pies," he said, his attention directed towards Debbie.

 

"We have Claire's wonderful pie at home," Carl said emphatically.  "We should go home and have some of that."

 

"But..." Debbie began.

 

"Home," Carl repeated giving her the evil eye.

 

"I guess we're going home," Debbie agreed not liking Carl's attitude.

 

"Please come again another day," Jacques said as they headed for the door.  "I'd love to see ... you all again."

 

"Certainly," Debbie said with a smile.

 

"Not bloody likely," Carl muttered as they headed out.  He had developed quite an aversion to this shop and its far too attentive owner.


Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One

 

 

Chapter 3

 

 

 

 

 

 

February 2025

 

“Brian, we weren’t expecting you,” Cynthia exclaimed as the head of all things Kinnetik strode into her office then helped himself to the chair in front of her desk.

 

“Haven’t I taught you to always expect the unexpected when it involves me,” Brian smirked.

 

“Yes, yes, you’re a gift from the gods,” Cynthia snarked, unimpressed by Brian’s bravado.  “Why are you here?  Shouldn’t you be home planning a wedding?  It is in less than four months.”  Brian had already shared his intentions with certain important people in his life including Cynthia and Ted.

 

“I’m sending Gus to Kinnetik Isles for two weeks.  He’s done some great work with their clients.”

 

“And some of their contracts are up for renewal.  Gus would be giving them the personal touch if he sat in on the negotiations.  Great idea, but you could have arranged all this from home,” Cynthia scowled at Brian.  Brian heaved a heavy sigh.  “Brian, what’s wrong and don’t bullshit me, we’ve worked together for too long for you to get one over on me.  You’ve been spending a lot of time in the city lately.”  Cynthia stared at Brian for a moment then gasped, her eyes widened.  “Please don’t tell me you and Justin are having problems.” 

 

Brian shook his head.  “No, we’re not, but I am.” 

 

Cynthia rushed to Brian’s side and clasped her hands around his biceps. “Not the cancer?” she whispered.

 

“No, I’m clean.” 

 

“Thank God!  Then what?” 

 

Brian briefly described to his friend and closest colleague some of his confusion over the past several months. 

 

“Is that why you’ve been spending time at the loft?”

 

“You know?”

 

“Not really but I have spies everywhere,” Cynthia teased to lighten the mood.  Brian smirked.  “There’s no reason to hide this.  Lots of people need help to get things straight in their heads.”

 

“But not me,” Brian angrily spat out.  “I’m Brian Kinney, for fuck’s sake!” 

 

“Why not you?  You’re still human, sort of.  Justin needed help when he was hurt.  Ted needed help to get over his addiction.  I...”

 

“You?” Brian asked with surprise and curiosity.

 

“Yes, me.  A while ago I lost confidence in myself and I couldn’t figure out why.”

 

“Cyn, did I...?”

 

“No, it was nothing you did or didn’t do.  It really had nothing to do with Kinnetik.  I needed a little time off to get my head screwed back on right, and you gave me the time.”

 

Brian hugged her close.  “If you ever need something from me, ever, I don’t care what, you promise to tell me,” he murmured into her hair.

 

“I promise.  But this isn’t about me.  I’m here for you.  If you need time away from Kinnetik then take it.” 

 

“No, this is the one part of my life that’s in control, but I do have a couple of concerns.  One of them is Mad Max Jacobs.  I don’t know what his game is but I know I don’t like it.  The second is Gus.  I want him on our team but we seem to be fucking up his love life.”

 

“You take care of Mad Max and let me deal with Gus.  Is Ray going to meet Gus in London?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I’ll put him on retainer.  Let him get a taste of working for us.  Maybe we can hire him full time then the boys can work together.”

 

“They’ll either love it or kill each other,” Brian snarked.

 

“At least they won’t be able to complain about not spending enough time with each other,” Cynthia remarked as Brian stood to leave her office.

 

Brian walked into the safety of his own office, shook his head then looked up toward the ceiling, silently thanking the gods for all the great people in his life.

 

 

*****

 

 

Ray walked through the terminal at Heathrow.  He was nearly vibrating with excitement not only to be in London but to be seeing his boyfriend after weeks of being apart.  Ray packed light but he was prepared for any occasion including business.  He still couldn’t believe Kinnetik put him on retainer.  According to Gus and Cynthia, this was a working vacation.  Ray was to primarily observe and learn, but he was free to contribute his opinions at any time.  He was excited and a little concerned over the confidence being shown in him but he made up his mind to do the best job he could.

 

A placard with his name on it waving around brought Ray out of his thoughts and into the here and now.

 

“I’m Raymond Mann,” Ray said as he showed the driver his boarding pass.

 

“Welcome to London.  I’m instructed to deliver you to your hotel then to Kinnetik Isles,” the driver said.

 

“Um, what time is it here?” Ray asked.  He was unsure of the time changes but fortunately he slept for most of his flight.  If he took a quick shower and grabbed something to eat, Ray felt sure he could handle practically anything.

 

“Almost ten.  Plenty of time for a bit of a nosh before I drive you to the office,” replied the driver with a smile, as he grabbed Ray’s bag then escorted him to the car.  Ray smiled when he saw the fancy car.  Kinnetik didn’t play when it came time to impress.

 

The driver opened the car door for Ray, and within minutes they were on the road heading for the hotel.  When Ray checked in there was a packet of instructions waiting for him.  About an hour later he was heading for Kinnetik Isles.

 

“Ray!” Gus shouted as his partner was shown into the main room of Kinnetik Isles.  Similar in shape to the brownstone where Ray’s family lived in New York, Ray felt quite at home in the small-ish rooms of the listed building.  He smiled at the incongruence of modern computer equipment in the Victorian built home.

 

Ray smiled brightly then was treated to a very big passionate kiss.  He blushed when he was finally let up for air and heard a cough.  Shane smiled at the pair.  “Oh don’t mind me, I enjoy living vicariously through others,” Shane stated with a soft accent.  “It’s good to see you,” he said as he extended his hand.  “When I first met you lads, you were just young pups.  Now look at you, all grown up and working for the man, so to speak,” Shane teased.

 

“I’m just temporary,” Ray tried to explain.  Shane wouldn’t hear of it.

 

“When Brian has a grip on you, he won’t let go.  But enough of that, let’s get down to business,” Shane said as he handed out copies of the contracts that were up for renewal.  Sensing play time was over, the boys got serious.  Their reunion would have to wait until after work and for a more private setting.

 

 

*****

 

 

“Wow, I’m really glad that my dads insisted on my studying a few types of law.  The contracts weren’t as cut and dry as I thought they’d be,” Ray said.  His head was spinning from all the legalese he had read through for most of the day.  The boys were holding hands as their driver took them back to the hotel.

 

Gus agreed.  His business degree barely prepared him for doing business in other countries.  But Shane had been doing this for several years and had everything under control.

 

“Would you boys be needing the car tonight?” the driver asked as they slowly drove up the circular driveway to the hotel entrance.  Both boys shook their heads, no.

 

“Maybe tomorrow night.  I think the jetlag has finally hit,” Gus remarked.  Ray was looking a little glassy eyed.

 

“Very good.  I’ll be here bright and early to take you to the office.” 

 

Gus thanked the driver then led his tired partner to their suite. 

 

After a light dinner, Ray was ready for bed.  Gus figured their real reunion would have to wait a little longer.  He wasn't too disappointed.  After being apart for so long, just being able to sleep with Ray in the same bed was worth the wait.

 

It was too early for Gus to sleep so he carefully got out of bed to do a little work.  When he did all the work he could do for the present, Gus shut everything down then crept back into bed.  He made himself comfortable around the sleeping form of his partner then inhaled deeply.  The scent of his partner filled Gus with a sense of well being and of home.  Hugging Ray close, Gus finally drifted off to sleep.

 

 

*****

 

 

"Carl!" Debbie called.  There was no answer.  Debbie felt her jaw tighten.  Where could the man be?  The cottage was small enough that he could hear her from anywhere in the house.  "Carl!" she said more loudly.

 

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Carl muttered as he came out of the bedroom.  "What is it?"

 

"Why is your drill in the living room?" Debbie demanded.  "You know that things need to be in their place in this small house.  You shouldn't leave them lying around."

 

"Well pardon me, but I was going to put up that extra hook you wanted in the front closet, but nature called," Carl stated firmly.  "I'm entitled to a bathroom break, aren't I?"  It was obvious that he was not pleased by Debbie's criticism.

 

"Oh," Debbie replied.

 

"That's it?  Oh!  What about a 'sorry, Carl, I didn't realize' or 'okay, I know you'll put the drill away when you're done'?"

 

Debbie made a face.  She didn't like to be wrong, and liked it even less when it was pointed out to her.  "Okay, I'm sorry," she said reluctantly.

 

"Thanks a shitload full," Carl said picking up the drill.

 

"I think I'll go into Bridgeton," Debbie said out of the blue.

 

"Why?"

 

"I don't want to listen to your drill all morning."

 

"It will be five minutes," Carl explained.

 

"I'm going, and I think I'll have lunch there too," Debbie stated defiantly.

 

"Enjoy the time with your boyfriend at Cornercopia," Carl said sarcastically as Debbie grabbed her coat and purse.  He started the drill whirling to drown out the sound of any response that Debbie might make to his comment.

 

 

*****

 

 

Debbie opened the door of Cornercopia and entered the shop.  Immediately she found Jacques in front of her, and she couldn't help but smile.

 

"Madame Horvath," Jacques said kissing her hand and smiling at her.

 

"Please, call me Debbie," she replied blushing.

 

"Debbie, it's so lovely to see you again.  Are you here for lunch?"

 

"Yes, please," Debbie said, and Jacques proceeded to show her to a table.

 

"Will your husband be joining you?"

 

"Not today," Debbie replied curtly.

 

Jacques stifled the smile that threatened to reveal itself at her brusque answer.  "I'll send your waitress right over," Jacques said.

 

Debbie slid her coat off her shoulders and over the back of her chair.  She took a deep breath and picked up the menu.  It was rare anymore that she went out without Carl.  It felt kind of funny being on her own in a restaurant. 

 

"Have you decided, ma'am?" a young waitress asked her, having set a glass of water on the table in front of her.

 

"What's the soup and sandwich special?"

 

The waitress proceeded to tell her all about the soup, the bread used for the sandwich and her choice of fillings.  When Debbie had made her decision, including the pot of tea she wished to have, the waitress picked up the menu and headed for the back of the shop.

 

Debbie took a sip of the water on her table and looked around.  Jacques was bagging an item that some woman had just purchased.  He was fawning all over her, much the way he had with Debbie when she had first arrived.  Debbie was nobody's fool, but Jacques seemed to be an interesting man, and it was nice to have someone make a fuss over her.  Lord knows, Carl had stopped doing that a long time ago.  Since they had moved into the little cottage, it had become even more obvious since he and Debbie were home together a lot more than they had been in Pittsburgh.  She sighed heavily and mentally kicked herself in the ass.  Carl was a good man and she shouldn't be so critical.

 

"Have you placed your order?" a voice asked from over her shoulder. 

 

Debbie jumped, and looked to the side to see Jacques smiling at her.  "Just waiting for it to be brought to the table," Debbie said.

 

"May I join you?" Jacques asked indicating the empty chair on the other side of the table.

 

Debbie hesitated for a moment before nodding to Jacques that he should sit down.  "Aren't you working?"

 

"There's no one in the shop at the moment, and I can see if anyone comes in," Jacques explained as he made himself comfortable.

 

"It must be tricky making a go of this store in such a small town," Debbie observed.

 

"It's not easy, but I have regulars who come to the tea shop all the time, and I try to stock items in the shop that I know my customers are interested in."

 

Debbie looked around the tea room.  Most of the tables were full even though it was the middle of the week.  "I guess you're right."

 

"Of course I am," Jacques said with a chuckle.  "I'm always right."

 

"I just bet you think you are," Debbie declared.

 

Jacques laughed out loud.  "I see that you are not taken in by my bravado."

 

"Oh, is that what that was - bravado?"

 

"But of course."

 

It was Debbie's turn to chuckle.  "You are an awful flirt," she said.

 

"But a loveable one, you must admit."

 

"Must I?" Debbie asked, flirting right back.  She batted her eyelids at him, and almost laughed out loud at how silly she was being.  But somehow it felt good.

 

"Oops, looks like I have a customer," Jacques said standing up.  "Come see me when you're done your lunch.  I have something I'd like you to see."

 

"Okay," Debbie agreed, wondering what he might want to show her.

 

It wasn't long before her lunch arrived.  She enjoyed the soup and sandwich very much.  She debated ordering another sandwich to take home to Carl, but when she looked at her watch, she decided he would have probably made himself a sandwich by the time she got home.

 

She finished her lunch and paid her tab.  When she stood up and put her coat on, Jacques was once again at her side.

 

"Don't forget that I have something to show you," he reminded her.

 

"What is it?" Debbie asked as she buttoned her coat.

 

"Come over here and see."  Jacques headed for the counter near the front of the store.  He reached under the counter and pulled out a box that was plain cardboard, giving no indication of what might be inside.

 

"What is it?" Debbie asked again.

 

"My, my, mon petit chou, you are impatient."  Jacques said "impatient" with some kind of French intonation that really tickled Debbie's fancy.

 

"It's a woman's prerogative," Debbie informed him.

 

"Whatever you say, my dear.  Please, open it."  He held the box out to her.

 

Debbie carefully pulled the tabs back and lifted the lid to open the box.  She pulled out a moulded cube of pressed cardboard.  It was split down the middle and she gently pulled it apart.

 

"Oh my!" Debbie gasped.  "He's fucking lovely!"  She heard Jacques' sudden intake of air at her choice of words.  "Um, sorry, I get carried away sometimes."

 

Jacques had gotten over his initial shock.  "It's not a problem, my dear.  You like my gift?"

 

"Gift?"

 

"I thought you might like the petit chat."

 

"Shaw?"

 

"Chat, it's French for cat."

 

"Oh."

 

"You like it?" Jacques asked again.

 

"It's fucking adorable!"  Debbie saw Jacques wince again.  She knew some people didn't like that word, but it had been a major part of her vocabulary all her life, and that wasn't likely to change at this stage of her life.

 

"I'm very pleased that you like it," Jacques said cautiously.

 

"I love it," Debbie said, careful to avoid the "fucking" descriptor this time.  "Where did you find such a cute cat?  I love the big eyes and he's my favorite color of cat - black."

 

"That's wonderful.  I overheard you telling Claire that you wondered if I had any cats."

 

"You must have exceptional hearing," Debbie said with a frown.  She was pretty sure Jacques had been halfway across the store when she had been talking to Claire about cat statues.

 

"I pay close attention to my customers," Jacques said by way of explanation.

 

Debbie frowned.  "Very close attention," she muttered, not sure she liked him listening in to what was supposed to be a private conversation.

 

"Le petit chat is yours."

 

"I can't accept this as a gift, but I'd be happy to pay you for it.  We got rid of most of my tchatchkas when we moved.  I have just the spot for this little guy in my bedroom."

 

"Ah, the perfect home for him."

 

"But I insist on paying for him."

 

"But it would be my pleasure..."

 

"Definitely not!  How much is he?'

 

"Twenty-five."

 

That was more than Debbie had expected, but she was pretty sure she had that much cash in her purse.  "Wrap it up," she said as she fished twenty-five dollars out of her bag.

 

"Enjoy," Jacques said handing her the box.

 

"Thanks very much," Debbie replied.  She turned on her heel, and she and the box left the store.

 

 

*****

 

 

"What's that?" Carl asked as he got into bed.

 

"I bought it today in Bridgeton," Debbie said with a smile.  Her hand caressed the black cat that now stood beside the lamp on her nightstand.

 

"I thought we got rid of all the knickknacks when we moved."

 

"We did, but sometimes this place could use a little more character."

 

"Character?  That thing gives the place character?" Carl asked.

 

"Yes, it does."

 

"If you say so," Carl reluctantly agreed before lying down, and turning on his side so that he was facing away from Debbie.  He clicked off the light on his side of the bed.

 

"I do say so," Debbie muttered before turning off her own light.


Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One

 

 

Chapter 4

 

 

 

 

 

 

May 2025

 

Brian continued to stare out of the loft windows, trees were blooming everywhere.  Cars were covered in a carpet of green pollen.  He made a wistful smirk, someone would be sneezing a lot over the next few days.

 

A car passed by that reminded Brian of Ben’s reliable sedan.  No Jeep or Corvette for Zen Ben.  Brian made a genuine smile.  Ben was a good friend; a reliable friend.

 

***** 

 

February-March 2025

 

Ben parked his car in front of the Tremont apartment building.  As he turned off the ignition, he looked down at the set of keys in his hand.  On his key ring there were a few keys he rarely if ever used.  As he got out of his car, Ben spied Brian’s distinctive Jeep in its usual spot.  ‘The Lord and Master was in residence,’ Ben thought to himself.  Using one of those keys, Ben let himself into the building. 

 

“Same time next week,” Ben heard as he raised the gate on the repurposed freight elevator.  A very distinguished gentleman was leaving the loft.  Ben recognized the man and the man recognized Ben.  Saying nothing, the two gentlemen nodded to each other as they exchanged places.  Ben watched the slow descent of the elevator for a few seconds before entering the loft.

 

“Brian?” Ben called out as he slid the door shut.

 

“Coffee, Professor?” Brian replied as casually as he could.

 

“No thanks.  I’ll take tea if you have it,” Ben said trying to match Brian’s tone.  Their silence was deafening as Ben watched Brian fill a kettle then place it on the stove.  In a few minutes, Ben had a mug of tea placed in his hands.  Brian topped off his mug with coffee then gestured toward the living room.

 

“What brings you here?” Brian asked, somewhat defiantly.

 

“There’s been talk.  Not a lot of it but enough to get me concerned and...”

 

“Curious?” Brian supplied.

 

“Yes, I’m embarrassed to admit it but I am curious,” Ben stated honestly.  “And I miss you.”  That comment got a raised eyebrow.  Ben rolled his eyes.  “I miss our lunches.  I looked forward to our conversations and debates over lunch.  You’ve been busy, I’m still teaching, we rarely have a moment to ourselves.  Even when we stay at the cabin, Michael and I keep to ourselves.  I miss you.” 

 

Brian gave Ben an honest smile as he pulled out his cell phone.

 

“Honeycutt!  Do you have a table for two for lunch in that scrawny little bistro of yours?”  Brian quickly held the phone away from his ear as Emmett shouted his response.  Brian waited until the diatribe was over.  “Ben and I would like to have lunch.”  Brian grinned as he shook his head.  “We’ll be there in a few.  Later,” Brian said as he ended the conversation.  “Come on, Professor.  Let’s do lunch,” Brian said as he took Ben’s mug and his own to the kitchen to wash.

 

“Brian,” Ben softly began.

 

“Wait.  Not here.  I need some air and believe it or not Emm’s booth in his bistro is very private.”

 

“All right.  I’ll follow you over,” Ben said as he grabbed his coat then followed Brian out of the loft.

 

*****

 

“Welcome, gentlemen, although I’m not sure if that term applies to both of you,” Emmett said as he narrowed his eyes at Brian.  Brian gave Emmett his most innocent smile as he batted his eyelashes at him.  “Oh stop it,” Emmett said as he took their coats then showed them to the booth.  In minutes Emmett brought them a tray of neatly cut vegetables, cheese, and fruit to munch on while they waited for their main course.

 

“Sit,” Brian commanded before Emmett could flit away.  Grabbing Emmett’s arm, Brian pulled Emmett down next to him.  The two friends waited patiently for Brian to speak.  And in a few minutes, he did.

 

“For several months I’ve been feeling...”

 

“Out of sorts?” Ben offered.

 

“I guess that’s as good a phrase as any.  Confused works too.  Yeah, yeah, I know,” Brian added when he heard a gasp from Emmett.  “I’ve accomplished so much; we’ve all accomplished so much,” Brian said with a coy smile for his friends.  Brian took a nibble out of a piece of cheese before going on.  “Ted and Cynthia gave me an album with pictures of each grand opening of every Kinnetik.”

 

“It must be beautiful,” Emmett quietly gushed.

 

“It is.  You can see it the next time you’re on the lane.  There’s a picture of Old Joanie in it from New York.”

 

“She helped out with Briana, I recall,” Ben said.

 

“Yes, she did.  She helped us a lot.  I...”

 

“You miss her,” Emmett whispered as he slowly snaked his arm around Brian’s shoulders.

 

“And you needed a little help to sort things out,” Ben added.  “The Silver Fox,” Ben began as he touched Brian’s hand.  “I see him too on occasion.”  Brian searched Ben’s eyes.  “I’m fine.  My blood work is as close to normal as one can get but sometimes I get angry.  The Fox helps me with that.  And then there’s Michael.”

 

Brian snorted as Emmett smirked.

 

“Yes, he’s not the easiest person to love but I do love him.  The Fox helps me with that too.  The point is that it’s okay to seek out help.  Wilder’s a good man.  And it helps that he’s a part of the community.  He’s smart and has a good rep in his profession.”

 

Brian and Emmett gave Ben a look.

 

“I am a college graduate, you know,” Ben joked, making quotations in the air before getting serious again.  “I did some research on him before I made my first appointment.  The man could have practiced anywhere in the country but he chose to stay here.”

 

“Because he knows that the Pitts’ fags are all nuts,” Brian murmured.

 

“Something like that.”  Ben paused for a moment.  “Thank you, Brian.”

 

“For what?”

 

“For trusting me.  For trusting both of us.”  Ben indicated Emmett who was nodding his head.  “We know what a private person you are.”

 

“And Michael?  He thinks I’m tricking.”

 

“I’ll handle Michael,” Ben said.  Emmett and Brian gave Ben a look.  Ben chuckled as he shook his head.  “Let me rephrase that.  I will try to keep Michael under control.  He really is a very sweet person.  He just has this thing about you.”

 

“And don’t we all know,” Emmett automatically chimed in before Ben could finish.  “Sorry,” Emm murmured.

 

“And you,” Brian turned toward Emmett.

 

“Me?”

 

“Yeah, you.  Do you think I’ve gone soft?”  Brian scowled.

 

“Brian Kinney is never soft.  Or so I’ve heard.  I don’t have any personal experience in that area unlike someone at this table.”  Brian giggled when Ben growled out his own warning which Emmett completely ignored then continued on.  “Brian, we’ve become very close over the years, and yes, I know some people think I like to gossip and I do when it’s harmless.  I freely admit it.  But I would never betray your trust.  You’ve done so much for me over the years and never asked for anything in return.  I would be honored to help you in any capacity,” Emm said sincerely.  “You’re really one of my closest friends.  I love you.”

 

Brian took a deep breath then slowly released it, gathering his thoughts.  “Wilder comes to the loft.  I see him at least once a week.  Sometimes we find a small quiet restaurant and have dinner.  The man has expensive taste,” Brian griped.  “But it’s been worth it.  I feel almost like Brian Kinney again after our sessions.”

 

“Honey, you’ll always be Brian Kinney, make no mistake about that.  You’ll just be a more well adjusted Brian Kinney,” Emm said with a toothy smile.

 

“What he means is that sometimes we feel that things get disconnected; Wilder has a way of helping you to make those connections again.  Does Justin know?” Ben asked.

 

“Yes.  Not the details, but enough.”

 

“Good.  I’m sure he’s very supportive,” Ben said with confidence.  Brian nodded.  He wasn’t ready to share the proposal debacle with his friends.  He was hoping that in a few more sessions with his good shrink, Justin’s hesitation wouldn’t still hurt so much.

 

“There is something I’d like to know,” Brian stated with his usual gruffness.

 

“Yes?” both Emm and Ben asked.

 

“What the fuck does one have to do to get lunch around here?”  Brian narrowed his gaze on one Emmett Honeycutt.  Without further ado, Emmett jumped up to get their lunch.

 

“Don’t worry, Brian, you still got it,” Ben teased.

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Brian said nonchalantly as he waved a royal wrist.

 

*****

 

“Brian Kinney, as I live and breathe,” Max Jacobs said, touching Brian’s shoulder.  “And who’s your handsome companion?  I thought you were into blonds.” 

 

Gus and Ray were waiting to be seated at a local pub.

 

“I’m not Brian,” Gus stated as he turned to face Max.  Max quickly removed his hand.

 

“No, my mistake, but the resemblance is uncanny.  Are you his brother?”

 

“Gus Kinney, Brian is my father, and you are?” Gus asked as he politely extended his hand.

 

“Max Jacobs, I’m sure you’ve heard of me,” Max stated smugly.  Before he could get a reply, Max went on.  “Allow me to buy you boys dinner, I have a business proposition I’d like to discuss.”

 

Max confidently directed the boys to a table.

 

*****

 

"Hello," Justin said as he answered the phone at Edna's Treasures.

 

"So you're home.  I'll be right up."

 

"Deb..."

 

"No excuses, I'm coming over.  Make a pot of coffee."

 

Justin sighed heavily.  "Okay," he said grudgingly before hanging up and getting out the coffee.  He sniffed Brian's special blend, thinking how much he missed his husband.  Sometimes life was just the shits.

 

The doorbell rang as Justin turned on the coffeemaker.  Debbie had arrived in record time.  Justin went to the door and took a deep breath before opening it and putting on the best smile he could muster.

 

"Deb, that was quick," he said.

 

"How the fuck are you?" Debbie demanded as she brushed past him and headed for the kitchen.

 

"I ... I'm okay," Justin stammered as he closed the door and followed Debbie. 

 

When they reached the kitchen, Debbie whirled round and glared at Justin.  "Don't try to kid a kidder, Sunshine."

 

"What are you talking about, Deb?"

 

"You're not okay, and neither is Brian."

 

"How...?"

 

"I have fucking eyes!  I've seen Brian drive off and not return for days.  And don't try to tell me that he's away on business.  I fucking won't believe that for a second."

 

Justin shook his head slowly.  "Okay, okay, sit down.  The coffee's ready.  We can have a talk."

 

"Good," Debbie replied setting her butt on one of the kitchen chairs.

 

"Here's your coffee," Justin said handing her a mug of the hot rich liquid.

 

Debbie took a sip and let out a pleased sigh.  "Brian Kinney's personal blend.  He does have good taste."

 

"Yes, he does."

 

"I always used to think he had the best taste in husbands, but lately I'm not so sure."

 

"Deb..."


Debbie held up her hand to prevent him from telling her this was none of her business.  She already knew that, but she couldn't sit back and let things go to hell.  "You don't have to tell me the whole story ... if you don't want to, but I need to know if you two are going to be okay."

 

"I hope so," Justin said with resignation."

 

"Hope so, HOPE so!  That's no fucking answer.  What are you doing about this mess?"

 

"Mostly waiting."

 

"Waiting for what?"

 

"For ... Brian to get his ... equilibrium back."

 

"Equilibrium!  What the fuck does that mean?"

 

"Brian's been feeling ... off, lately.  It's hard to explain.  He ... he's trying to deal with some ... issues."  Justin didn't know how else to explain what Brian was going through.

 

"So, it's him, and not you," Debbie said frowning.  "I always knew Brian's former life would catch up with him one day."

 

"It's not like that."

 

"Then what is it like?"

 

"That's for Brian to explain.  I've told you about as much as I can."

 

Debbie studied Justin's face for a minute.  She realized she had pushed just about as much as she dared.  "All right, sunshine, but if there's anything I can do....  If there's any help you need..."

 

"I know, Deb, and thanks.  If I need you, I'll come knocking on your door."

 

Debbie smiled and squeezed Justin's hand across the table.  "You can call and I'll be up here in a flash."

 

"Just like today."

 

Debbie chuckled.  "Yeah, just like today."

 

They each sipped their coffee for a few minutes, not sure what they should say next.  Thoughts were swirling around in both their heads, but neither wanted to broach them.

 

"How's Bree handling all this?" Debbie finally asked, deciding that might be the safest topic at the moment.

 

"She's not happy that Brian's away so much.  I think she knows something's wrong, but it's kind of like she's afraid to ask.  And I don't really want to start it up with her.  I think she'll only be more upset."

 

"You're probably right.  It's not easy talking about ... difficult things," Debbie agreed slowly.

 

"That sounds like something you're personally experiencing," Justin stated looking at Debbie who couldn't quite meet his gaze.

 

Debbie let out a long breath.  "I didn't come up here to talk about me."

 

"Turn about is fair play."

 

"Whoever made up that stupid fucking rule."

 

Justin laughed.  "I don't think it's a rule," he admitted, "but I am willing to listen."

 

Debbie gnawed on her bottom lip, not sure whether she should spill the beans or not.  Justin sat patiently while she made up her mind.

 

"I'm beginning to wonder if we should have moved out here," Debbie said barely above a whisper.

 

"What?  You don't like it on the lane?" Justin asked in bewilderment.  That was the last thing he had expected to hear.

 

"I like it well enough, and I love the cottage, but..."

 

"But what?"

 

"It's so different from our life in Pittsburgh.  The cottage is small and we seem to be on top of each other all the time."

 

"That should be a good thing," Justin replied with a grin, trying to make a joke.  His joke obviously fell flat based on the look on Debbie's face.

 

"The difference between what should be and what turns out to be is often astronomical," Debbie said wisely.

 

"What's wrong?  Are you and Carl not getting along?"

 

Debbie sighed.  "I love him dearly, but we're always together out here.  I never get a break from him, and I'm sure if he's honest, he would like a break from me sometimes."

 

"What would you do in Pittsburgh to take a break from each other?" Justin asked.

 

"I don't know.  There were so many possibilities.  I'd go shopping or he'd go play pool or visit his cronies.  He was always dropping in at the police station to see what was going on."

 

"Can't he do that out here?"

 

"He could, but he would have to drive into Pittsburgh which means I'm stuck here without a car.  If I take the car, he's stuck.  It ... It's just not working."

 

"Maybe you both need to find things to do here that don't require a trip to Pittsburgh," Justin suggested.

 

"Like what?  I don't think farming or baking pies is going to cut it for me," Debbie said rather sarcastically.

 

Justin chuckled.  "There are other things to do in the area."

 

"Yeah, lay them on me," Debbie challenged him.

 

"You helped with the Halloween fair at Bree's school in the fall.  They need volunteers for other things.  Some people go to the school everyday."

 

"I couldn't handle every day," Debbie said with a frown.

 

"You could volunteer for something that was once or twice a week.  They always need people to read with children who are having problems."

 

"Really?"

 

Justin could see the wheels turning.  "I think they have pool tables, or maybe it's one pool table, at the community center in Bridgeton.  Carl could drop you off at the school and go play pool for a couple hours."

 

"That could work," Debbie agreed.  "Anything else?"

 

"They have other activities at the community center - card games and lecture series and movie nights and all kinds of things."

 

"Why don't I know about this community center?" Debbie demanded.

 

"Probably because you never asked."

 

Debbie made a face at him.  "I came up here to help you, and you may have helped me instead."

 

"It's my pleasure," Justin said sincerely.  "I really want you and Carl to be happy here."

 

"Thank you, sunshine," Debbie replied standing up and giving Justin a big hug.  "I really want you and Brian to be happy too."

 

"Me too," Justin agreed hugging Debbie back.  From your lips to God's ears, he thought.

 

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One

 

 

Chapter 5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

February-March 2025

 

Max Jacobs ushered the boys to a table toward the back of the pub.  A waitress came over with menus.  Max ordered three ales then excused himself to go to the restroom.  The boys were a bit flustered, unsure what they should do next.  Gus wasn’t convinced that Max knew his dad, let alone that they were friends.

 

“Switch phones with me,” Gus said quickly as he looked around the pub for Max.

 

“What?” Ray asked as Gus put his own phone into Ray’s hands.  He then put Ray’s phone on vibrate and left it on the table close to his hand.  “What are we doing?”

 

“Put my phone on silent.  Shit, hurry, he’s coming back.  Send an SOS group text to Kinnetik,” Gus instructed.  “Tell them that we’ve been cornered by Max and we don’t know who he is or what to do.  Someone should respond.”

 

“Yeah, let’s hope it’s your dad,” Ray mumbled as he did what he was told.

 

Max Jacobs took his time as he sauntered back to the table.  He was a good looking man and he enjoyed the admiring glances tossed his way by both sexes.  He used his looks to his advantage and was hoping the younger Kinney and his attractive companion would fall under his spell.

 

“Listen, I don’t trust this guy.  If he was anyone important to my dad or to Kinnetik I would’ve been told.  Just play it cool.  I’ll keep his focus on me while you let whoever answers know what’s going on,” Gus said as he put his innocent kid face on.  Under the table he took Ray’s hand and gave it a gentle squeeze.  Ray squeezed back as he nodded.  Ray took a deep breath as he prepared to follow Gus’ lead.

 

“Well boys, I’m famished.  Have you decided what you’d like for supper?” Max asked boldly.  The boys were hunched over a menu seemingly studying it.

 

“Shepherd’s pie,” Gus said.

 

“Bangers and mash,” Ray added.

 

“Great choices, lads.”  He waved over the waitress to give their orders.  “Well now, I usually don’t mind combining business with pleasure; however, sitting with you fine looking young men, I’d much prefer having a work-free supper.  Wouldn’t you?” Max asked.  He gave the boys a smile then took a good chug of his ale. 

 

Not knowing what to say, the boys each took a small sip of their ale as well.

 

“I’m no expert on young men but you two seem a little quiet to me.  It wasn’t too long ago that I was your age.  I’m also proud to say that I am the youngest successful adman in the business to own a multi-million dollar company,” Max said smugly, so very sure of himself.

 

“You mean in the UK,” Gus finally spoke up.  “And you’re what, forty something?  My dad had you beat by almost ten years.”  That got a reaction, Gus noted, a subtle reaction but Gus knew he had got it right.  But he wished he knew more about Max Jacobs.

 

As the waitress put their plates on the table, Max downed the rest of his ale then signaled for another.  He poked at his dinner for a few minutes then when the waitress brought him a fresh drink, Max downed that glass too.  In a little while nature took its course.  “I’ll be back soon.”

 

“You may want to get that checked out,” Gus mumbled when Max was out of earshot.  Ray giggled then quickly checked Gus’ phone.

 

“Ted and Cynthia said to leave.  Scott says to punch his lights out.”

 

“Scott?  Calm, unflappable Scott?  What else?”

 

“Stacy said to knee him in the balls.  He came to New York and contacted her under false pretences then he hit on to her and almost didn’t take no for an answer.”

 

“Fucking bastard,” Gus cursed.  “Anything from my dad yet?”  Gus scanned the pub toward the restrooms.

 

“Not yet.  Joseph sent a Wiki link about Max, and Shane says we should get our arses outta here fast.  That's a quote by the way.”

 

“Shit, he’s coming back.  I wish my dad would hurry.  And check out that link.”

 

“Wait.  Your dad just texted; he says to play it cool.” 

 

Gus grumbled, “Duh.” 

 

“He also says that we should learn whatever we can then call him later.” 

 

“You miss me boys?”  Max grinned as he sat back down.  Whatever momentary slip Max may have had in his confidence was gone.  Max was as smug as ever.

 

“Mr. Jacobs,” Gus began.

 

“Call me Max,” Max insisted.

 

“Max,” Gus, pretending to be nice, addressed his new best friend.  “It’s been very nice to meet you but what can I do for you?”  Gus got a kick under the table.  “Ow!”  Gus glared at Ray.  Ray smiled back sweetly.  “What can we do for you?”

 

*****

 

“That fucking bastard,” Brian cursed as he sprinted into Kinnetik and straight into his office.

 

“Boss.”

 

“Brian.”

 

He was greeted by Ted and Cynthia as he waved his cell phone at them.  “Book me on the next flight out of here,” Brian demanded.  “I want to know what that fucking shit wants with my son!” Brian shouted.

 

“Brian, wait,” Cynthia cried out.  “You can’t just drop everything and fly to London,” she tried to calmly explain.

 

“And why the fuck not?” Brian growled as he booted up his computer so that he could book his own flight.

 

“First of all, you’re supposed to be planning your wedding.  Second, Gus is not a child, nor is Ray.  If they can keep it together and gain his trust, we might be able to beat Max at his own game.”

 

“Yeah, whatever that is,” Ted interjected.

 

“I should be there,” Brian said.  Ted and Cynthia could hear the worry in Brian’s voice.  He was feeling helpless.  Brian fucking Kinney did not like feeling helpless.

 

*****

 

A waitress cleared the table then brought fresh ale.  Max sat back to take a good look at the boys.  He figured they were a couple but assuming the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, Max was confident he could get close to Gus.  Maybe even close enough to get Gus into bed.  The pillow talk alone would be of great value especially if Max could get Gus to reveal some Kinnetik secrets. 

 

Max began to hatch a plan.

 

*****

 

“Are you sure I can’t offer you boys a ride to your hotel?  It would be no trouble.”  Max smiled at the boys as he got into a cab.  Ray hid a grimace.  Max’s smile was more of a leer and in Ray’s estimation, the leer was directed toward Gus.  Ray instinctively moved closer to his boyfriend.

 

“Thank you, Mr. Jacobs, for dinner,” Gus began.

 

“Max, please.  We’re friends now, aren’t we?” Max said as he extended his hand toward Gus through the cab window.  Gus politely took it.  As they shook hands, Max gently swiped his thumb across the top of Gus’ hand.  Max’s intentions were fairly clear.  “Give me a call in a few days.  I’ll arrange for a proper night out befitting you fine young lads.”

 

Gus slowly batted his eyelashes at Max; a very successful maneuver he learned from Justin.  When Brian was the recipient of those eyelashes a certain response was usually evident.  Along with a coy smile, Gus' gesture attained a similar response from Max.  Max cleared his throat and shifted in his seat.

 

“Good night, Mr. Jacobs,” Ray stated emphatically as he pulled Gus back.  The boys watched the cab pull away before heading toward their hotel.  “What the fuck are you doing?” Ray growled at Gus.

 

Before answering, Gus moved them both into the shadows of two buildings.  He leaned Ray against the bricks then kissed him soundly.  They were both a bit breathless when Gus released Ray. 

 

“Your lips should be registered as lethal weapons,” Ray murmured against the lethal weapons.  “Please tell me you know what you’re doing?”

 

Gus pulled them out of the shadows and they hurried back to their hotel.  They went directly to their room where they proceeded to strip each other the moment they slammed the door shut.  Clothing was flung everywhere until they reached the bed naked and hard with need.  After several rounds of very hot sex and lovemaking, Gus rolled off Ray to lay beside him.

 

“You should call your dad; he’s probably freaking out,” Ray said reasonably.  He checked the bedside clock.  “It’s not too late.”

 

“He won’t care what time I call,” Gus replied.  He hesitated as he reached for his phone.

 

“What’s wrong?” Ray asked as he rolled over toward Gus.

 

“I think I know what to do but...”

 

“But what?”

 

“My dad told me a story, something he did or was about to do a long time ago to win a client,” Gus said with a sigh.

 

“Was it bad?” Ray softly asked.  He wrapped his arms around his boyfriend.  Gus hugged Ray’s arm close to his chest.

 

“A potential client, a big one, implied that he would sign on with Ryder if my dad spent some time alone with him in his hotel room.  It was a very big client and...”

 

“Your dad wanted the contract,” Ray supplied.

 

“But the guy got a phone call from home; his kid broke an arm or a leg or something.  Dad convinced the guy that his place was at home with his kid.  So the guy packed up and left before anything could happen.”

 

“So your dad never went through with whatever he planned?”

 

“No.  He told me that to this day he really doesn’t know what he would have done if that phone call hadn't happened.  I’d like to think he wouldn’t have slept with a client just to get his business, but my dad did have a reputation back then.”

 

“And you think Max believes that Gus Kinney not only looks a lot like Brian Kinney, he behaves like him too.”  Gus stared at Ray.  “What?  I’m a lawyer, I’ve been trained to observe and research facts.  Speaking of facts, while you were flirting with the enemy, I scanned that link Joseph sent us.  Max Jacobs is ruthless.  He’s made his millions but not by being a great adman like your dad.  He does it by buying out small firms then reorganizing them to his supposed winning formula.”

 

“But you have another theory.”

 

“Yeah, it’s like flipping houses.  He buys out a firm that may be somewhat successful.  Then he brings in his own people, has one or two big campaigns then he sells the business at double or triple the amount he originally bought it for.  He looks like he turned a so-so business into a highly successful and desirable one.  I bet the people he brings in eventually leave the firm when Max moves on to his next one.  Shane could probably confirm some of this.” 

 

Gus agreed.  “He’s been in the business in London for several years.  There’s just so many admen around.  We tend to know the good ones.”

 

“Lawyers have a similar community.  So what do we do?”

 

“Call the best adman we know,” Gus said as he picked up his phone and hit speed dial number two.

 

“Two?” Ray asked.

 

“You’re number one,” Gus said before his call was answered.  Ray gave Gus a beatific smile.

 

“Pop!”  Gus began to tell his dad what happened with Max Jacobs and Ray’s theories about Max’s apparent success.

 

*****

    

Justin opened the oven and looked at the roast that was cooking there.  He added the potatoes and put the lid back on the roast.  Dinner would be ready in a little under an hour.  He heaved a weary sigh before walking across the sun porch and into Bobby and John's side of the conjoined cottages.

 

"Hey," John said as he heard Justin enter their kitchen.

 

"Hey," Justin responded.

 

"Something smells good from your side," John said.

 

"Dinner will be ready in about an hour."

 

"Bobby should be home at any minute now."

 

Justin nodded and was about to turn and go back to his own home.  "John," he said before taking that first step.  "Has he said anything to you?"

 

John shook his head, knowing exactly who Justin was referring to.  "I wish he would, but he..."

 

"Isn't talking to anybody," Justin supplied.

 

John nodded slowly.  "He's really trying to deal with some stuff that should have been dealt with a long time ago."

 

"I know, but when he gets silent like this, it's very hard.  If he comes to you..."

 

"I'll do whatever I can."

 

"Thanks, John."

 

"Try not to worry."

 

"I'm trying," Justin sighed.  "Is Bree in Patrick's room?

 

"No, she went outside a while ago.  I think Beau went with her."

 

"I wonder where she is," Justin said with a frown.

 

"I think they headed down the path to the stream," John said.  "Beau will make sure nothing happens to her."

 

"Beau's great, but lately she's been almost as quiet as her father.  I better go find her."

 

"Want me to come with you?"

 

"I better tackle this on my own," Justin informed him.

 

"Good luck."

 

"Thanks," Justin said.  He went into the sun porch and grabbed a coat before heading outside to find his daughter.

 

As he walked down the path towards the stream, Justin tried to formulate what he was going to say to his daughter.  He knew Bree was worried about what was going on with Brian.  His long absences in Pittsburgh were not like him, and Bree was nothing if not perceptive.  When she had asked why her Dada was away so much, both of them had tried to ease her fears about what was happening, without really telling her anything.  Brian said that he was very busy with Kinnetik and it was just easier to stay overnight at the loft.  Justin was well aware that this explanation didn't really cut it.  Bree had grown increasingly quiet and withdrawn the last few weeks.  Maybe it was time to come clean.  The big problem was that Justin didn't really know how to explain the situation.

 

"Bree," Justin called as he came into the clearing near the stream.  He didn't want to scare his daughter, so by calling out he would give her warning of his approach.

 

"I'm here," a little voice said.

 

Justin saw her sitting atop the big rock, the favorite thinking spot of most of the inhabitants of the lane.  Beau lay at the base of the rock, waiting patiently for his young charge to return to the cottage.  Beau raised his head and looked at Justin as he approached.

 

"May I join you?" Justin asked.  Bree shrugged her shoulders.  "I'll take that as a yes."  He hauled his butt up onto the rock next to his daughter.  "Isn't it kind of cold out here?"

 

"I've got my coat on," Bree replied, like that explained everything.

 

"That you do," Justin chuckled.  There was a long pause before Justin asked, "Why are you sitting out here, Bree?"

 

Bree shrugged her shoulders again.  "I don't know.  I just felt like it."

 

"You only come here when you want to think or you're feeling sad.  My guess would be the latter."  Bree did not answer and Justin waited patiently.  "Am I right?" he finally said.

 

Bree shrugged once again.  They sat in silence for a few minutes.  When Justin was about to give up and insist that Bree come in from the cold, she decided to speak.

 

"Why won't Dada come home?" she asked.

 

"He comes home when he can," Justin said carefully.

 

"Doesn't he love us anymore?"

 

"Oh Bree, don't say that.  Your Dada and I will always love you.  Nothing will change that - ever."

 

Bree studied her father's face.  "That's what parents say when they're going to get a divorce," she informed her father.  "Are you and Dada getting a divorce?  I need to know."

 

"No, we're not getting a divorce," Justin said forcefully.  How had Bree come to that conclusion?  He wanted Bree to stop thinking like that.

 

"Then what's going on?  And I know it's not business.  Dada never stayed away like this for business before."

 

Justin drew in a long breath.  He wished Brian was there to explain himself, but Brian wasn't there.  It was up to him.  "Sweetheart, your father has been seeing a psychiatrist.  He has some issues that he's trying to sort out."

 

"Issues?"  Bree frowned, and Justin could see the worry in her eyes.

 

"Yes, some issues."

 

"But not issues about leaving us?" she asked with tears forming in her eyes.

 

"No, not about leaving us."

 

"Then what?" Bree asked, her voice coming out in a gulp as she fought back the tears.

 

"Are you sure you want me to try to explain this?" Justin asked, hesitant to get into all the intricacies of what was going on with Brian.

 

"I'm not a baby, Daddy.  Tell me."

 

"Okay, I'll try."  Justin tried to think of the best way to explain this to his daughter.  Slowly he began, "You loved your Grandma Joan a lot, didn't you?"

 

"Yes," Bree whispered.  She frowned trying to decipher what this had to do with why her Dada was in Pittsburgh.

 

"Well, your father didn't always have a good relationship with his parents.  He ... he always felt he wasn't what they wanted him to be - that he wasn't good enough."

 

"But...  My Dada's the best, the very best man.  He's great at everything he does.  Why wouldn't he be good enough?"

 

Justin wracked his brain for the appropriate explanation.  "You remember when Ashley was picked on by the bullies?"

 

"That was a long time ago."

 

"But she was so sad and hurt by those bullies."

 

"I kicked their asses and they don't do that anymore."

 

"Well, your Dada couldn't kick his parents' asses.  He suffered for a long time with what they said to him.  He's trying to come to grips with it now."

 

"Why now?"

 

Justin sighed.  "Your Dada asked me to marry him at New Year's and I ... hesitated."

 

"Why did you hesitate?  You love Dada."

 

"Yes, I do.  I love him and I love our life.  I didn't see why getting married was necessary.  I love things the way they are ... were.  I hurt your Dada by not answering yes right away."

 

"And that brought back his old feelings about not being good enough.  He didn't think he was good enough for you?"

 

Justin's mouth dropped open.  "That's it exactly.  You are so smart, sweetheart."  He pulled Bree into a fierce hug.

 

They clung to each other for a couple of minutes in silence.

 

"How will the psychiatrist help Dada?" Bree asked.

 

"They talk through things and try to resolve them."

 

"That must be hard for Dada, the talking," Bree observed.

 

"You're right about that, but I think he really needs to do this."

 

"And then he'll be our old Dada when he comes home for good?"

 

"Exactly, but don't call him our 'old' Dada.  You know how he feels about that word," Justin said.

 

Bree giggled.  That was the best sound Justin had heard in a long time.  Maybe the truth did set you free, he thought.

 

"He should talk to the psychiatrist about why that word is so bad for him."

 

Justin laughed out loud at his precocious daughter.  "I'll be sure to tell him that.  Let's go home.  My butt is frozen,"

 

"Mine too," Bree agreed as her father helped her down from the rock.

 

Hand in hand they walked back to the cottages with Beau following behind. 

 


Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One

 

 

Chapter 6

 

 

 

 

 

Brian strode into Dr. Wilder’s outer office with fury on his face.  The office assistant said nothing as he pointed toward the inner office.  Not that Brian had any intention of slowing down to confirm that the good doctor was free.  A brief phone call thirty minutes prior took care of that.  Brian flung open the door.

 

“Now there’s a man with murder on his mind,” Wilder stated.  He gestured to a chair.  Brian shook his head.  He was too angry to sit so he paced in front of Alex’s desk.  “Are you ready to tell me why you want to kill somebody?  And please assure me that the object of all this fury is not me.”

 

That got Brian to stop and raise an eyebrow.  Alex put up his hands in surrender.

 

“Seriously, what’s got your jock strap in a twist?”  Brian gave Alex an abbreviated version of the situation with Max Jacobs.  “This doesn’t sound like something I can help you with other than pointing out that planning a crime is not quite the same as committing a crime,” Alex said with a calm face.

 

Brian stared at Wilder for a moment then burst out laughing.

 

“And he’s back, ladies and gentlemen,” Alex quipped and again pointed to a chair.  This time Brian sat.  “I mean it, I’m charging you big time for something you should be talking over with Kinnetik people or with Justin.  You don’t need a shrink for this.”

 

“I know but I really wanted an honest opinion from someone totally neutral.  And you’re the most neutral person I can think of.”  Brian smirked.

 

“There’s an insult hidden in there somewhere, I think,” Alex smirked back.  “So aside from taking out a contract on this Max person...”  Brian perked up at that remark.  “Forget I said that.  You’ve handled lots of sticky business situations, what makes this one different?”

 

Brian had to think about that for a minute.  It was true.  Throughout his career whether it was with Ryder or Vangard, Brian always found a way to get what he wanted or work through a mess.  What was making this thing with Max Jacobs different from all the others?

 

“The way he assumes that I can be bought.  And now he’s involved my son,” Brian growled.

 

“Let’s break this down.  Stating the obvious, you are a very rich man.  An extraordinarily successful businessman, and even though Pittsburgh is not your primary residence, you and your family have never hesitated to give back to the city.  The people who know you may be a little envious but they also appreciate your generosity.  Your family and those in your inner circle are certainly well aware of your nature and would never assume you could be bought for something as trivial as money.  Besides, many of us have long memories.  We remember the "Committee for Concerned Citizens" and how you spent every penny you had to prevent Stockwell and his goons from taking over this city.  We’ll never forget that, Brian - never.”

 

“I’ve never admitted to that,” Brian said as he stood and turned away.  Alex let that one go.  It was a well known Pittsburgh urban legend based on a few facts that were leaked to the community that Brian Kinney lost almost everything to fund the “committee.”  The community never forgot.

 

“I’m assuming most of your fellow business associates and advertising competitors are aware that when Kinnetik’s vying for a contract you use legitimate tactics.  And while I’m not that well versed on the advertising business, I do know that you like to go after the unusual contracts or those that other advertising firms wouldn’t touch.  Am I right about that?”

 

Brian nodded as he slowly turned around.

 

“So I’m going to take a leap here and say that whatever is motivating Max Jacobs is based on jealousy and greed.  He doesn’t know you or the rules you live by.  He throws his money around because he assumes that’s what’s expected of him and it strokes his ego.”

 

“We all have an ego.”

 

“Of course we do and most of us go through some stage of showing off to boost that ego.  I did when I was first training to be a psychiatrist.  I swore I could cure everyone that came to me with their problems.  Believe me, it was very large blow to my ego when I realized that that belief was bullshit.  What about you, stud?  I’m sure that rep was your boost.”

 

“Yes, but that reputation was well deserved,” Brian stated smugly as he sat.

 

“Ha, ha.  You did eventually outgrow the need to continually prove that reputation, didn't you?”  Brian nodded.  “And I won’t belittle you by saying that you grew out of it.  It’s not as simple as that.  It’s all about choices.  It’s about weighing those choices and taking into consideration how the choices we make may affect the important people in our lives.  From what little you’ve told me about Max Jacobs, he probably has very few important people in his life that would be adversely affected by his choices.  You on the other hand, have a large heart.  You make your choices carefully and that’s why Max Jacobs angers you so much.

 

“Don’t envy him, Brian, don’t think that if you were more like him it would make it easier to destroy him.  He’s not worth it.  Allow your people to help you with this.  Give Gus all the tools he’ll need to deal with Max.  I understand you feel helpless, that you’re here and Gus is thousands of miles away, but he is by no means alone.  His boyfriend is with him and your overseas Kinnetik people are with him.  No grandiose plots, Brian," Alex warned.  "Keep it simple.  You’ve built your business by doing the best for your clients.  You have integrity; don’t do anything to disparage that reputation.  Be subtle; I know you can be subtle.”

 

Brian considered Alex’s words carefully.  Kinnetik was financially solid and did business honorably, using healthy competition and by giving its people the latitude they needed to express themselves.  Brian wasn’t prepared to risk all of that by going after some asshole who believed money was the be all, end all goal in life.

 

Brian sighed, expelling a lungful of air and with it, the hate.  He was still angry but it was the type of anger that would fuel his creativity.

 

“Better?” Alex asked.  Brian nodded.  “Good.  How goes the wedding preparations, or is this topic still taboo?”

 

“Actually, it’s going well.  We’re keeping it simple,” Brian said as he gave Alex a smile.  Alex rolled his eyes.  “Justin wants a private ceremony with just us.”

 

“Us, as in the people who live on your lane?  By the way, I expect an invitation to the lane at some point.”

 

“You’re welcome to the lane anytime.  We have plenty of room.  And by way of simple, we’ve agreed to just the minister, my kids, John, Bobby and Patrick.  That’s it.  No fancy attire, no fancy party.  Only a few key people know about it.  So don’t blab.”

 

“I never blab.  What about a honeymoon?”

 

“We did the big honeymoon, including a donkey ride up a mountain.  And the last time we took what I guess you could call a second honeymoon, it almost killed us.  We both got into a series of accidents that took a hell of a long time for us to recover from.”

 

“So I guess no windsurfing or skydiving.”

 

“Not if my life depended on it,” Brian slowly enunciated with a grimace at the memory of what he and Justin had suffered through.  “Maybe New York, somewhere we can blend into the crowd.”

 

“Sounds like a plan,” Alex said with a tone that informed Brian his time was up.  Brian stood and extended his hand toward Alex.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“For what?  You’ll be getting my bill,” Alex said as he shook Brian’s hand.

 

“I know.  But as you said, this was a bit out of your purview, you didn’t have to see me at all.  I appreciate your time.”

 

“And I appreciate your trust.  I’ll keep our regular time open; call me with any changes,” Alex said with his usual professional manner.  Brian agreed.

 

As Brian left Wilder’s office he couldn’t help wonder if the lane could support another cottage.

 

*****    

 

“Right’o, I’ll keep an eye on the lads while we work up a strategy.  I promise, no cloak and dagger, no Holmes and Watson, no Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot.  What do you mean who are Miss Marple and Poirot?  Only the two greatest detectives ever written by Dame Agatha Christie, you ignorant sot!  This is me hanging up on you, Mr. Kinney,” Shane said indignantly.  As he hung up the phone Shane could have sworn he heard Brian laughing.

 

“And he claims to be an educated man,” Shane grumbled to himself.  He kept on grumbling as he went to the break room to get himself a nice cup of tea.

 

“Did Mr. McKenna just hang up on Mr. Kinney?” a newly employed young artist, named Quinton, asked Gus.  The young man was horrified. Gus admired Quinton’s work so he asked to work with him on a couple of small campaigns.

 

“Don’t worry about it, my dad was just yanking Shane’s chain,” Gus said casually as they settled down to work.  Quinton had his doubts.

 

*****

 

“Honey, I’m home!”  Brian called out as he walked through the cottage door.  He was carrying some packages including a nice bottle of wine he planned on sharing with his partner.

 

“Dada!” Bree shouted as she rushed to leap into Brian’s arms.  Fortunately he had sufficient warning to put down his packages.

 

“Hey, Squirt!” Brian said as he received her hugs and kisses with glee.  Brian returned her hugs and kisses with plenty of his own.  “What’s up, Squirt?” 

 

Large violet blue eyes examined his face closely.  “Dada, are you all right?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Daddy said the reason why you’re staying away a lot is because you’re not happy and you need someone to talk to.” 

 

Brian was a little stunned by Bree’s words.  He thought he was hiding it well.  Then again he could never really hide anything from Justin.  Why should Bree be any different?  She was, after all, her father’s daughter.  Brian carried Bree over to the sofa so he could sit with her as he explained as best he could.

 

“I’ve been feeling sad.”

 

“About Gamma Joan?”

 

“Yes.  I’ve been sad before, but this felt different.  I needed help to figure it out,” Brian explained as simply as he could.

 

“And is the doctor helping you?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Good,” Bree said as she wrapped her arms around Brian’s neck to hug him tight.  Brian held on as he looked over her shoulder toward Justin who had quietly come into the room.  He gave Brian an apologetic look for revealing to their daughter some of Brian’s secrets.  Brian gave Justin a small smile.

 

“It’s okay, Sunshine,” Brian said as he extended his hand.  Justin joined them on the sofa, hugging both of them close.

 

*****

 

"Carl, do you want to go into Bridgeton with me?" Debbie asked her husband as they were sitting at the table enjoying a cup of coffee.

 

"What do you need?"

 

"Nothing in particular.  I just wanted to get out," Debbie explained.

 

"I get the feeling being stuck out here with me isn't always to your liking," Carl replied with a frown.

 

"I like being busy, and there just isn't much to do around here.  There's only so many times a day I want to dust and do dishes," Debbie replied ruefully.

 

"Maybe it's time we went to that community center in Bridgeton that Justin told you about and checked out what they have to offer," Carl conceded.

 

"When I told you about Justin's suggestion, you poo-pooed it," Debbie stated.  "What's changed your mind?"

 

"I want you to be happy, babe," Carl said with a small smile.  "If this community center can make that happen, then let's go for it."

 

"Oh Carl," Debbie said with a big smile on her face.  She had missed hearing her husband say considerate things like that.  "Can we go right now?"

 

"You bet!  Grab your coat."

 

A little while later Carl and Debbie walked into the community center in Bridgeton.  Debbie looked around the lobby.  It was clean and bright.  She liked that. 

 

A middle aged woman stood behind a counter along one wall.  "Can I help you?" she asked with a cheerful smile.

 

"Hi," Debbie said moving over to the counter.  "We're the Horvaths, Debbie and Carl," she explained.  "I've heard you have some activities here that might interest us.  We moved to the area a few months ago."  Debbie decided that she had rambled enough and closed her mouth before she told the woman their whole life history.

 

"We're always happy to welcome new members," the woman said in a friendly voice.

 

"Members?"

 

"Yes, you pay a small fee to join the center and then you have access to all the facilities."

 

"Oh, I didn't realize that there was a fee," Debbie said.  "How much is it?"

 

"Just twenty-five dollars per person."

 

"Well, I think we can swing that," Debbie said with a chuckle.  "What sort of activities do you offer?"

 

"Yeah, we aren't signing up for anything until we know what we're getting for our money," Carl informed the woman.

 

"You'll have to forgive my husband," Debbie said giving Carl the look that told him to be quiet or there would be hell to pay.  "He was a cop and that makes him kind of cynical."

 

The lady laughed.  "My husband was a cop too," she said.  "I know just what you mean."

 

"Your husband was a policeman?" Carl asked skeptically.

 

"Yes, in fact he's in the billiard room right now.  Maybe you'd like to meet him?"

 

"Sure," Carl said wondering what kind of a small town hick he was about to meet.

 

They walked through the lobby and down a hallway with rooms that had tables, one holding a group of people that seemed to be knitting.  Debbie shuddered.  If that was all this place had to offer, she would save herself twenty-five bucks.

 

In the next room there were a couple of pool tables.  One man was apparently practising, shooting balls into the pockets.

 

"This is my husband, Frank," the woman said.  "Oh, and my name is June, June Thompson.  I forgot to introduce myself before."

 

"Nice to meet you, June," Debbie said.

 

"Frank, these people moved here recently and are thinking about joining the center.  This is Carl and Debbie Horvath.  Carl was a policeman, like you."

 

"Nice to meet you," Frank responded stepping forward and extending his hand to Carl.  "Would you like to play a game?"

 

"Sure, I used to be pretty good, but I haven't played in quite a while."

 

"Excuses, excuses," Frank laughed.  "You'll probably beat the pants off me."

 

Carl smiled.  "There's only one way to find out," he said taking his jacket off.

 

"Let's go," June whispered to Debbie.  "I'll show you the rest of the center."

 

Debbie followed June back into the hall.  She glanced back to see Carl chalking his cue while he and Frank seemed to be sharing a joke.  That was good.

 

As they walked through the building June told Debbie about some of the groups who made use of the community center.  The mah-jongg group, the canasta group and the book club were all possibilities in Debbie's eyes.

 

When they arrived back at the front counter June asked Debbie what she thought about joining the community center.  Debbie told her she wanted to talk to Carl before she gave an answer.

 

"You should discuss this with your husband.  I hope he's enjoying playing pool with Frank.  Frank had a friend that he used to play with all the time, but he died a few months ago of cancer, and it hit Frank hard.  He hasn't found anybody to play with since.  I'm not sure he's even trying to find someone.  Mike's death hit him hard."

 

"It's never easy dealing with cancer," Debbie said thoughtfully, thinking about Brian's bout with the dread disease.  Thankfully the outcome had been much different from Frank's friend.  "Do you have a PFLAG group in Bridgeton?" she asked after a moment.

 

"PFLAG?" June asked.

 

"Yes, parents and friends of lesbians and gays."

 

"Oh, you mean a gender equality group.  There is one in Bridgeton, but it's not affiliated with the community center," June explained.

 

"Well it should be," Debbie declared.

 

"I beg your pardon," June replied.  "The group used to be much more active, but over time it has become smaller and smaller.  I'm not sure they meet anymore."

 

"They should be meeting," Debbie stated emphatically.

 

"But why?" June asked.  "Any gays and lesbians in the area are part of the community.  They don't need a separate group.  I'm sure many of them belong to this community center."

 

"Really?" Debbie asked skeptically.

 

"Since Mr. Kinney and Mr. Taylor moved into the area things have changed a lot.  They do so much for the community.  Perhaps you've heard of them?"

 

"Perhaps," Debbie said thoughtfully, not letting on just how familiar she actually was with Mr. Kinney and Mr. Taylor.

 

"Hey, Deb," Carl said as he came into the lobby.

 

"Did you have a good game?"  Debbie smiled at Frank who followed Carl to the counter.

 

"Yeah, we're pretty evenly matched.  We've scheduled another game for tomorrow."

 

"You could come to the mah-jongg group which meets tomorrow afternoon, if you wanted to come in with your husband," June suggested.  "I'm going to take it up.  They said they'd be happy to teach me, and they'd teach you too."

 

"Maybe," Debbie replied, still uncertain what she wanted to do.

 

"I think we should join," Carl said pulling out his wallet.  "Sign us up for the year."

 

"But..." Debbie started to say, but Carl was already giving June his credit card.

 

When the transaction was completed Debbie and Carl left the community center.  Debbie was not at all pleased that Carl had decided they both should join without consulting her about it.  She had been waiting to talk to him before she did any such thing.

 

"I want a cup of tea," Debbie declared.

 

"Tea?  I could use a beer."

 

"Tea," Debbie reiterated, "at Cornercopia."

 

Carl sighed heavily but followed his wife down the street to the store.  Jacques fawned over Debbie when they arrived and that seemed to restore a happier frame of mind in Debbie.  However, it did nothing for Carl's mood.

 

When Debbie had her tea and Carl had coffee and a sticky bun, Debbie decided it was time to tell her husband what she thought.  "You should have consulted me before you signed us up at that community center."

 

"Why?" Carl asked bewildered.  "It was you that wanted to go there in the first place."

 

"I wanted to go there to check it out, not to sign up before we know anything about the place."

 

"I saw enough," Carl said taking a big bite of his sticky bun.

 

"All you saw was the pool room," Debbie scoffed.

 

"That was enough for me," Carl replied happily.

 

"What about me?"

 

"What about you?" Carl asked.

 

"The least you could have done was ask me if I wanted to join."

 

"Well, are you sorry we belong to the community center now?"

 

"That remains to be seen."

 

"Then get back to me when you've made a decision," Carl said cavalierly.

 

Debbie gritted her teeth so she didn't tell Carl exactly what decision she was making about him at the moment.  She unclenched her jaw long enough to have a sip of her tea.  They sat in silence while Carl finished his sticky bun.


Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One

 

 

Chapter 7

 

 

 

 

 

May 2025

 

Brian continued to stare out of the loft windows for a few more minutes.  His mind was racing with thoughts as he again glanced at his empty bed.  After a while his body reminded him that his caffeine level was approaching a critically low state.  Fortunately his coffeemaker, conveniently on a timer, hummed into life and soon the heady aroma of his special blend beckoned.  He silently padded across the floor, the edges of his robe quietly flapping.  Just before he entered the kitchen area Brian tightened the belt of his robe around his waist.  He stopped, looked down then sighed.  Since when did Brian Kinney consistently wear a robe?

 

Perhaps wearing a robe was one of those choices Alex mentioned.  Contrary to someone’s belief, Brian Kinney did grow up, or did he just choose to cover up for practical reasons?  It seemed that everyone in the building had a key to his loft so when Brian was in residence he rarely bothered to lock his door.  For the most part his tenants, his friends, respected his privacy.  But there was that one time when Brian had just showered and wound up naked in front of unexpected guests.

 

Brian had dried off his body then left the towel hanging in the bathroom, taking a small towel for his hair as he went to get himself coffee.  It was at that point when Lacy and Katerina decided they needed to urgently speak with their landlord.  They did knock before entering the loft but as they slid the door open they got an eyeful.  Brian was slightly startled at first but then his old arrogant self kicked in.

 

“Ladies,” he purred.  “What can I do for you?” he asked with an arch of an eyebrow. 

 

The girls quickly informed him of a leak in their bathroom.  Without detouring for a robe, Brian picked up his phone and called his favorite plumber.  He then turned to face the girls. 

 

“Anything else I can do for you?” 

 

The girls giggled, blushed, thanked him profusely then sprinted out of the loft, but not without taking a few more glances at Brian’s nearly ageless and perfect body.  It was a major boost to his ego that the fifty something Brian could still turn heads, even lesbian ones.  But it was also at that point that Brian decided that perhaps wearing a robe in the loft wasn’t such a bad thing.  This wasn’t the first time he wore a robe in the loft, and besides he normally wore one in the cottage.

 

“Shit, since when is a fucking robe such a major thing in my life?”  Brian cursed to himself for making it a bigger deal than it ought to be then cursed out the Silver Fox for making him examine his motives in the first place.

 

Brian had been doing a lot of self examination lately; more reasons to curse out his shrink.  Wilder swore to Brian that self reflection was not the same as second guessing oneself.  Brian wasn’t quite convinced but forced himself to let it go.  It was all a matter of choices.  Like that asshole Jacobs chose to do business using unscrupulous tactics, while Brian and Kinnetik chose to keep it all above board.  

 

The intercom buzzer pulled Brian away from contemplating murder.

 

“Yes.”

 

“A messenger is here with those documents you wanted,” the doorman stated.

 

“Send him up.”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

A door man.  Another choice Brian had made and a good one.  While his building was now fully occupied, everyone worked, so Brian decided that it made sense to have someone on the premises twenty-four seven.  Besides he got tired of the evil looks Mel gave him.  So Brian consulted with his favorite retired cop about hiring other retired cops to work for several of Brian’s enterprises.  Not all cops decided to retire when they were ancient like Carl.  Some did their twenty then got out, like his current manager at Babylon and at the bowling alley. 

 

Cops did have their uses.  Brian smirked, he still had those sunglasses around here somewhere.

 

“Coffee,” Brian declared out loud as he shook himself out of the past and back into the present.

 

*****

 

March 2025

 

“Do you really have to go?” Gus asked again.

 

“Yes, I have to get back,” Ray confirmed, again.

 

The boys decided to say their goodbyes in the hotel.  Gus was staying longer but Ray had to return home.  They clung to each other before leaving the suite to go their separate ways.

 

“So are you going to take my dad’s offer?” Gus asked.  Kinnetik still wanted Ray on a permanent basis.

 

“I’m considering it but I promised the law firm to give them at least two years of my service since they allowed me to intern for them.”

 

“Slave labor,” Gus muttered.

 

“Hey, we’ve had this conversation before so I’m not going there.  It won’t be for that much longer and you know as well as I do about the importance of fulfilling your promises.  You never burn your bridges.”

 

“I know.  You never know when those bridges may come back to bite you in the ass.”

 

“Exactly.  You do know that even if I do work for Kinnetik we’ll still be apart if you have to travel,” Ray commented.

 

“Yeah, but that’s different,” Gus said then put an end to the conversation with a kiss.

 

“I have to go.  You just finish up here and hurry home.”

 

“I will,” Gus promised.

 

“And stay away from that creep Jacobs,” Ray warned.

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Gus said.

 

“I’m serious.  He wants something more than a business deal.  I think he wants your ass.”

 

“Well he can’t have it ‘cause it’s yours,” Gus joked.

 

“Gus.”

 

“Ray, you’re going to miss your plane,” Gus said as the car that was hired to take Ray to the airport pulled up.  Gus opened the door and shoved Ray’s bag into the back seat then he gave Ray a hug before shoving him into the back seat as well.

 

“Smooth move, Kinney,” Ray said as he rolled down the window.

 

“I’m full of them,” Gus smirked.

 

“You’re full of something!” Ray retorted.  The boys laughed then gazed into each other’s eyes one more time before Ray’s car pulled away. 

 

As Gus watched the cab enter the flow of traffic, his phone vibrated in his pocket.

 

“Love you,” Gus read the text.  “Love you too,” Gus sent back as his own car pulled up to take him to Isles.

 

*****

 

“You could have gone to the airport with him,” Shane said to Gus as Gus came into Shane’s office and sat down.

 

“No, it’s better this way, besides I hate long goodbyes.  So what have we learned about this Max person?” Gus asked in a very Brian Kinney sort of way, Shane noted.

 

“One of the reasons he wasn’t on Brian’s radar is that Max is only now trying to branch out of Europe.  He’s made millions here but apparently that isn’t enough for him.  If I had made all that money, I’d be on a beach somewhere.”

 

“To some people it’s never enough,” Gus sneered.  “It sounds like he’s in it for sport and doesn’t care who he hurts or ruins in the process.  And I've been to the beach, it gets boring after a while.  You'd get bored fast.”

 

“I’ve been in this business for a long time, the term cutthroat isn’t a misnomer.  But there are people with integrity like your Da.  Max Jacobs doesn’t come close.”

 

“So what’s put Kinnetik on his radar?”

 

“I think we did,” Shane said with a shrug.  “Isles, I mean.  We were always a small local firm, no threat to anyone and to some extent we still are.  We handle the local business accounts as we always did, but now with the Kinnetik name we’re in the running for some of Europe’s bigger accounts.”

 

“Did you lose a lot when Kinnetik bought your firm?” Gus asked with concern.

  

“Not at all, lad.  Don’t you be concerning yourself with that.  Meeting your father was a god send to the business.  I kept on all my people and was able to pay them what they’re really worth.  Your Da insisted that we keep on our old accounts and not charge them any extra because of the Kinnetik name.  No, no this was a good business opportunity and we’re all glad we took it.  Put your mind at ease, son,” Shane insisted. 

 

Gus felt much better.  “So what do we do?”

 

“Well, I was thinking about Ray’s theory.  Smart boy that Ray.  You couldn’t do any better,” Shane said with authority.

 

“Yes, sir,” Gus said knowing it was no good to argue and heeding the warning behind it.

 

“Me, the lads and lassies here have been networking.  You know, contacting people who know people who were once employed before Max takes over a business then find themselves out of jobs after the takeover.  Ray was right.  Max uses a core of people then within a year or two those people leave and the business soon folds.  It’s insidious so no one has ever put two and two together.”

 

“Until now,” Gus said with pride at Ray’s brilliance.

 

“Aye.”

 

“So do we have a plan?” Gus asked.

 

“The only thing I can think of is to muddy the waters, so to speak.  Spread the word around about his tactics and pray that he’s made his last deal.”

 

“Or we can do more research about those core people of his and hire them away from him.  It must be a pain in the ass starting over and over year after year.  Some of them have got to be getting tired changing jobs so often.  And even if one or two left Max to go legit, with a resume like that, who’d be willing to take a chance on them even if they could claim to have been involved in a hot campaign.”

 

“You have a point, but how does that help us?”

 

“What if we hire them away from Max then he would have to start all over again with new people.  By then it may not be worth it to him to start over again.  Maybe he’ll go look for that beach,” Gus said.

 

“Don’t ya think that’s a bit too ambitious?  I don’t think your Da would take on that many people, and then there’s the trust factor.  I wouldn’t trust one of them as far as I could throw them.”

 

“We’d have to work that out, but I bet there’d be enough of them that, given the chance, they’d walk away from that life to something steady and reliable.  And who said Kinnetik would have to take them all?  At Pop’s recommendation I bet other firms would take a chance and we could spread them out all over Europe or North America.  One here, one there, who would notice?  I bet Max doesn’t even know their names.  My dad knows everyone that works for him,” Gus said proudly.

 

“Yes he does.  All right, let’s call in the troops and put it out there.  We do more research before putting it through to Brian.  Agreed?”

 

“Agreed,” Gus said as he called the Isles staff to the main conference room.

 

*****

 

"Hello, Mrs. Horvath," the principal at Bree's school said, extending her hand.

 

Debbie nervously shook the hand.  Carl had dropped her off at the school before going to play pool with Frank Thompson.  The two had become friends quickly and met almost every day at the community center to play.  Debbie was feeling left out, so she had decided to take Justin's advice and see about volunteering at Bree's school.  She had called the school and made this appointment to discuss possible volunteer opportunities.  Debbie wasn't sure what exactly she could volunteer to do.  She hoped there would be something she was suited for other than possibly serving food in the cafeteria.

 

"Please, come in," Mrs. Bain said inviting Debbie into her office.  Debbie took the offered seat across the desk from the principal.  "So, you think you might be interested in volunteering here?"

 

"I thought so, but..."

 

"You're not quite sure what you would like to volunteer for," Mrs. Bain said knowingly.

 

"Um, yeah, how did you know?"

 

"Most people don't know what they would be good at if they volunteered," Mrs. Bain explained.  "They're often hesitant when they first come in.  I like to talk to them and get a feel for what they might like to do.  May I ask what job you had when you were working?"

 

Debbie felt her back go up.  She didn't like saying that she had been a waitress for most of her life, but that was the truth of it.  She decided that she might as well be blatantly honest, and if they didn't like it, then fuck them.  "I was a waitress," Debbie said sitting up straight and saying the words proudly.  Her mouth clamped shut as she waited for the response of the principal.

 

"I see," Mrs. Bain replied slowly.

 

Debbie could see the wheels turning in the principal's head.  She wasn't sure she liked what the principal seemed to be thinking.  "You see?" she demanded.  "Just what do you see?  An uneducated menial worker who isn't good enough for your fancy school?  Well, if that's the case, then just forget this whole stupid idea."  Debbie grabbed her coat and started to get up and leave.

 

"Wait, Mrs. Horvath, please don't go," Mrs. Bain pleaded.  "When I said that, it was just a thing I say while I was thinking about where we needed volunteers.  I wasn't judging you."

 

"Well, it sounded like a judgment," Debbie said defensively, but she sank back into the chair and waited.

 

"Would you like to work with young children or adolescents or teenagers?  We have the whole range," Mrs. Bain told her.

 

"I...um, I don't really know," Debbie admitted.  Obviously she should have thought this through more fully before she came here.

 

"Have you worked with children before?"

 

"Well, I have granddaughters, and I did do some volunteering at the Gay and Lesbian Center in Pittsburgh."

 

"Oh."

 

"Oh?  Is that another space filler or another criticism?" Debbie demanded.

 

"Space filler," Mrs. Bain said with a smile.  "Perhaps you're not aware that two of our main benefactors at this school are gay."

 

"Is that right?" Debbie asked waiting to see what Mrs. Bain would say about Justin and Brian.

 

"Yes, Mr. Taylor and Mr. Kinney have been most generous towards this school.  Perhaps you've heard of them."

 

"I don't think so," Debbie said, deciding to keep her relationship with Brian and Justin to herself for now.  She wanted to do this on her own merits.

 

"Well, we do have a gay and lesbian club at the school.  Perhaps you would like to be involved with that?"

 

"I was thinking more about helping students with their reading," Debbie said.

 

"What if you could do both?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I'm thinking of one student in particular.  He's gay, and he's quite small for his age.  He seems to have been picked on at his previous school.  He arrived here about two months ago, and he's way behind academically.  He's also very quiet but belligerent at the same time."

 

"Isn't that hard to do?" Debbie asked with a frown.

 

"Not really.  It's a form of passive/aggressive behavior."

 

"Oh, I'm ... um ... I'm not sure what that means."

 

"It doesn't really matter," Mrs. Bain said.  "He needs help, and nobody has been able to get through to him so far."

 

"You think I might be able to?" Debbie asked in surprise.


"I don't know," Mrs. Bain admitted.  "But you're not an authority figure which he seems to have no trust in, and you are assertive.  I don't think you'll let him away with his usual shit, forgive my French." 

 

Maybe this woman didn't have a rod up her ass, as Debbie had initially thought.  Debbie chuckled.  She was starting to like this woman more as they spent time together.  "What if he wants to kill me after our first meeting?"

 

"That's a strong possibility," Mrs. Bain admitted with a rueful smile.  "Or you may want to kill him.  I'm hoping that you'll be able to restrain yourself."

 

"Murder isn't on my resume ... yet!"

 

Mrs. Bain laughed out loud.  "I think I like you, Mrs. Horvath."

 

"The feeling may be mutual," Debbie said with a warm smile.

 

"You'll have to pass a police check," Mrs. Bain said, "before you can start."

 

"That shouldn't be a problem.  Also, my husband is a retired policeman."

 

"Oh, I wouldn't tell this young man I was talking about anything about a possible police connection," Mrs. Bain advised.

 

"Has he had trouble with the law?"  Mrs. Bain nodded.  "Then no mention will be made.  What's this kid's name?"

 

"I can't tell you that until the police check is finished."

 

"Oh, okay.  I'll get on that right away.  How soon would I be able to start with this boy once the check is done?"

 

"Immediately," Mrs. Bain said.  "But..."

 

"What?"

 

"I don't want you to think this will be easy.  You may not be able to get anywhere with this kid at all.  Nobody else has gotten anywhere.  He's a tough case."

 

"Always liked dealing with the tough ones," Debbie said confidently.

 

"Seriously, this may not work out at all, so be prepared for failure."

 

"If you think you're going to fail, then you probably will."

 

"I like your attitude, and please know that I'll help in any way I can.  But if it doesn't work, I'm sure we can find something else you would enjoy doing at the school."

 

"I like a challenge, so let's just focus on this for now."

 

"I'm so pleased you're willing to take this on, Debbie.  May I call you Debbie?"

 

"For sure."  Debbie stood up and was prepared to leave the office when Mrs. Bain's phone rang.

 

The principal picked up the phone and spoke briefly to whoever was calling.  "There's been an incident," she explained to Debbie as she put the receiver back.  "I'll have to go.  Please call the school as soon as you have the police check completed."

 

"Sure," Debbie said as the principal hurried out of the office.  Debbie followed her at a slower pace.  She walked to the front foyer of the school and pulled out her cell phone.  She was about to call Carl to come pick her up when the bell rang.  Doors opened all down the corridors and students piled out. 

 

"Grandma!" a voice called.  Debbie turned to see Bree hurrying down the hall toward her.  "What are you doing here?" Bree asked while she gave her grandmother a big hug.

 

"Got called to the principal's office," Debbie said with a chuckle.

 

"Huh?"

 

"I may be volunteering at your school," Debbie stated as she shoved Bree's beautiful strawberry blonde hair behind her granddaughter's ears.

 

"In my class?" Bree asked hopefully.

 

"No, I don't think so, but probably somewhere in the school."

 

"That's great, grandma.  I hope you like it."

 

"Me too," Debbie replied and she really meant that.  She wasn't sure what she had got herself into.

 

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One


 


 


Chapter 8


 


 


 


 


 


March 2015


 


It was a rare weekend when all the inhabitants of the conjoined cottages were home.  The two families were in the sun porch working on a very intricate jigsaw puzzle.  It was huge and covered a good portion of the great table.  Bree’s love for jigsaw puzzles became contagious and now when the family were together they often could be seen tackling the difficult ones as a group.  Outside the weather was miserable, but the family was toasty warm in the sun porch and enjoying each other’s company.


 


Brian decided he wanted coffee so he went to the kitchen to make a fresh pot.  Justin went with him to put on the kettle for tea and to make hot cocoa for the kids.


 


“Justin, I’ve been giving our wedding plans some thought and I’d like to invite our family.”


 


“We already have our family attending,” Justin replied as he measured out the cocoa.


 


“No, I mean our extended family especially the permanent lane residents,” Brian explained as he prepared the coffee mugs.


 


“No,” Justin said.


 


“What do you mean, no?”


 


“No.  Plain and simple.  When you proposed I asked that we’d have a simple ceremony for just us and you agreed.  I don’t want to dress up or worry about food or clean up after hundreds of people.” 


 


“We don’t have to dress up, I don’t care if we get married naked, that’s not the point.  As for food, the fairy down the lane would be insulted if we didn’t let him take care of the catering including the clean up.  And it wouldn’t be hundreds of people, just our close friends and people like your mom,” Brian explained further.


 


“No,” Justin stated.


 


“Can’t we discuss this?  Come to a compromise?”


 


“No.  There’s nothing to compromise about.  I’m not the one who wants to get married.  As far as I’m concerned we ARE married.  I don’t need a piece of paper to tell me otherwise.  If you want to get married then we have a quiet ceremony, just us and Tom.  That’s it.”


 


The kettle came to a boil with an ear shattering shriek.  As Justin went to turn off the burner Brian walked out of the kitchen towards their bedroom.  He opened his closet to retrieve a duffle bag.  After throwing in a few essentials, Brian grabbed his laptop, coat, wallet, phone, and keys.  As he passed the kitchen, he saw Bree helping her daddy.  Brian kissed the top of her head then continued toward the front door.


 


“I’ll be at the loft,” he said just before he opened the door and walked out into the night.  Justin froze in shock unsure of what just happened.


 


“Daddy?” a little voice said, breaking through Justin’s shock.


 


“I don’t know, Baby Girl.  I just don’t know,” Justin repeated as he stared at the open door and watched the Jeep drive away. 


 


Bree ran to the door to scream for her Dada but it was too late.  Brian was gone.  The gate buzzed signaling that he went through and that’s when Bree ran crying back into the sun porch and straight to Patrick.  John and Bobby exchanged looks.  It wasn’t too difficult to figure out what just happened.  John got up to go to Justin but Bobby stopped him.


 


“I’ll go,” Bobby insisted.  “You’re too close,” Bobby said at John’s nonplussed look.  As the look-a-like half brothers aged their subtle differences were almost negligible.  John still had more upper body strength while Brian retained his strong soccer running legs, but non family members had trouble telling them apart.


 


John nodded and let his spouse handle the inevitable meltdown.  “Come on, kids, let’s get that cocoa,” John said as he rounded up the kids then took them toward his kitchen. 


 


*****


 


“What the fuck just happened?” Justin asked as Bobby poured himself a cup of coffee then sat at the table.


 


“What do you think happened?” Bobby countered.


 


“I think my asshole partner just walked out on me,” Justin spat out.


 


“Is that what you really think?” Bobby asked as he casually took a sip, looking over his mug at his brother-in-law.


 


Justin took a deep breath, several deep breaths, trying not to panic.  His hand began to shake as he tried to lift the heavy kettle to make himself tea.  He took a few more breaths to steady himself then poured the hot water into his mug.  He allowed the tea to steep for a few minutes before adding milk then he joined Bobby at the table.


 


“Should I go after him?” Justin asked.


 


“What do you think that will accomplish?”


 


“Besides me getting angrier the closer I get to the city, probably not much.”


 


The silence between them was deafening but Bobby had to let Justin come to all the right decisions on his own.


 


“Do you think I’m wrong?”


 


“That’s not for me to judge.”


 


“Spoken like a true lawyer,” Justin snarked.


 


“Then I guess I picked the right profession,” Bobby retorted.


 


“I don’t understand why this means so much to him.  After all this time Brian Kinney wants to get married.  It makes no sense!”


 


“Does it have to make sense?” Bobby asked.  Justin shrugged, he really didn’t know.  “Let me ask you a few questions.  You don’t have to answer me, I just want you to think about it.  When you’ve come to any conclusions then we can discuss it if you like.  All right?”


 


Justin nodded.


 


“When you insisted on following Kinney and Patrick throughout South America, did Brian support you and almost single-handedly foot the bill for the excursion?” 


 


Justin opened his mouth to speak but Bobby stopped him.  “No talking, just thinking.” 


 


Justin nodded again. 


 


“Did Brian support and encourage you when you went back to PIFA to finish your education?”


 


“Did Brian support your decision to go to New York?”


 


“Was Brian there for you during your work on the Rage movie?  Did he move mountains to make sure Bree was thoroughly looked after when you both were needed to work on the movie?”


 


“Was Brian prepared to not attend Molly’s wedding to keep peace in the family?”


 


“Was Brian there to encourage you for all your special shows and projects?”


 


“When you were exhausted, did Brian arrange a quiet vacation for you?”


 


Bobby finished off his coffee then stood up to put his mug into the sink.


 


“Has Brian ever asked you or anyone of us for that matter for anything in return?”


 


Bobby washed out his mug and put it in the dish drain to dry then walked back to his side of the conjoined cottages leaving Justin to his thoughts.


 


*****


 


“I miss you,” Gus said into his phone.


 


“I miss you too,” Ray whispered into his phone.  “Have you decided what to do about Max?”


 


“We think so but we’re still doing research.  It may take a while to get him to back off.”


 


“I hope that doesn’t mean you’re planning on meeting him alone?”


 


“No way!  He really creeps me out.  If I go out after work then it’s with Shane or with the other people from the office.  Randi and her partner have been real nice and had me over for dinner a couple of times.  I think they feel sorry for me or something.  But I really like room service especially since my Dad’s paying for it!” 


 


The boys laughed it off but Ray knew that Gus didn’t want to take the chance of running into Max in a pub.                 


 


“I’m sorry you have to hide.”


 


“I’m not really hiding; I’m not a kid, I know how to take care of myself, but it’s not worth the stress.  The car takes me back to the hotel and I have a nice quiet dinner.  Besides it gives me time to catch up on my other work.  Shane’s a slave driver.  I’ve also been doing the research on the agencies Max took over to see if our theory is correct.  Shane thinks there’s another firm that’s close to being bought out so he’s been trying to meet with the CEO but on the low down.  We don’t want Max to become suspicious.”


 


“Another agency in London?”


 


“No, Paris,” Gus informed Ray.


 


“You are not going to Paris without me, Gus Peterson-Marcus-Kinney!”


 


“Uh oh, the full name, hyphens and all.  And I have no intention of going to Paris, the CEO will be in London in two days.  That’s another reason to sequester myself in the hotel so I can work in peace.”


 


“Okay, then.  But one day when this is all over, you and I are going to Paris.”


 


“Sounds like a plan.  I love you.”


 


“I love you too.”


 


The boys reluctantly hung up and Gus got back to work.


 


*****


 


"Come in, Mrs. Horvath," Mrs. Bain the principal of Bree's school said, ushering Debbie into her office.


 


"Call me Debbie."


 


"Okay, Debbie, we have all your paperwork.  Everything seems to be in order, so would you like to meet the young man I mentioned to you?"


 


"Are you sure I'm the one for this job?" Debbie asked.  Her uncertainty was evident.  "Shouldn't it be someone who is trained to handle these kids?"


 


"Peter has dealt with all the trained staff.  They got nowhere.  Frankly you're the last hope," Mrs. Bain said with a sigh.


 


Debbie frowned.  "So, you don't expect me to get anywhere with this ... lad?"


 


"I didn't say that."


 


"Well, I really don't know what you expect me to do."


 


"I had ... a ... hunch when I met you," Mrs. Bain said slowly.  "Sometimes my hunches work."


 


Debbie smiled.  She had often had hunches of her own.  "Let's go meet this Peter."


 


"Good luck," Mrs. Bain said as she showed Debbie into a nearby room.  "Peter, this is Mrs. Horvath.  She's going to help you with your reading."


 


A young man sat hunched over the only table in the small room.  He was moving a pencil back and forth over the page of what looked like a sketchbook.  His eyes never left the page and he refused to look up as Mrs. Bain addressed him.


 


"I'll leave you to it," Mrs. Bain said to Debbie.  She left the room with a shrug of her shoulders.


 


Debbie pulled out a chair and sat down at the table.  "I'm Debbie," she said.  There was no response.  "Mrs. Bain seems to think I might be of some help to you.  What do you think?"  Again no response or recognition of her presence.  "I guess you're not too happy about being stuck with me.  Maybe if I tell you a bit about myself, you could tell me about yourself?"  It was asked as a question, but again it elicited no reply.  "Okay, here goes.  I just recently moved out here from Pittsburgh.  It's ... um ... taken a bit of getting used to."  Peter never looked up.  Debbie had no idea if he had heard one word she had said.  "I used to work in a diner in Pittsburgh.  I have one son.  He's married and they have a daughter, my granddaughter.  She's a wonderful girl, not that much older than you."  Obviously Peter didn't care about her life since he showed no reaction to her words.  But she had nothing else to talk about so she soldiered on.  "I live in a little cottage on a private lane.  I fell in love with it the moment I saw it.  It has a thatched roof."


 


Peter raised his head and looked at her for the first time.


 


Debbie stopped talking.  What had she said that made him look at her?  She quickly went over in her head what she had just said.  "Are you interested in a thatched roof?" Debbie asked.


 


Peter went back to sketching like nothing had interrupted him.


 


Debbie wondered if she could build on this momentary interest.  "My cottage was built by John Anderson.  He's a wonderful architect and he studies cottages of all types.  You might like to meet him."


 


Peter continued to draw as if he had not heard her words.


 


"Well, I guess I've about told you everything there is to tell about me," Debbie said with resignation.  She didn't think revealing that her husband was a retired police officer would win her any brownie points with this boy.  "I guess we can just sit here until our time is up."


 


Debbie watched Peter ignore her.  He was definitely a hard nut to crack.  She thought about how he was in the process of wasting his school time, of wasting his life.  She had seen too many young people like him waste their lives.  There had been quite a few who had passed through the Liberty Diner in the many years that she had worked there.  Some were lost and could not be retrieved.  She thought about Jason Kemp.  What a sad waste of a life!  So young.  And then there were the ones that had somehow managed to pull themselves through the dark times.  She liked to think she had helped one or two.  She wondered if she would be able to help this one.


 


"I knew a young man about your age.  He was a lot like you, kept everything inside, wouldn't let anyone see that he felt things.  And the odd thing about that is he probably felt things more profoundly than any of the others.  It took me a long time to realize that.  He's a grown man now.  His name is Brian.  He has a career, a family, a wonderful life.  I think you'd like him too.  He's John Anderson's brother."


 


Debbie watched Peter carefully.  He had stopped drawing some time during her story.  He merely stared at the page in front of him.


 


"I'd like to see your drawings if you'd show them to me," Debbie said.


 


Peter didn't reply but Debbie thought he was thinking about it.


 


Just then the bell rang. 


 


"I guess our time is up," Debbie said.  "Will you be back tomorrow?  I will."


 


Peter looked up and Debbie thought she saw a trace of a grin on his face.


 


"You're thinking that listening to my rambling isn't so fucking bad compared to being in class or being sent to the office," Debbie informed him.  "I like being the fucking first choice," Debbie cackled.


 


Peter grinned at her.  "You should watch your language, lady," he advised.


 


"I say what I think and I don't fucking give a damn."


 


"See you tomorrow ... Debbie."  Peter picked up his sketchbook and left the room.


 


Debbie slumped in her chair.  That was one of the hardest hours she had ever put in.


 


*****


 


"Mrs. Horvath, Mrs. Bain would like to speak to you before you leave," the secretary told Debbie when she went back to the office to check out.


 


"Oh?  Why?"


 


"I guess she wants to talk about your meeting with Peter.  She's on the phone at the moment, but she should be done soon."


 


"You sounded like you know Peter," Debbie observed.


 


"He's spent a lot of time in this office.  Kicked out of class a lot, doesn't do his work, but ... that doesn't mean I know him."


 


"Have you talked to him?" Debbie asked.


 


The secretary chuckled.  "I'm sure he wasn't exactly talkative with you," she said.  "I talked to him, but that doesn't mean that he talked to me."


 


"You sound like you care."


 


"I don't like to see any kid messing up his life.  I've seen the braggarts and the colossally rude and the foul mouthed assholes, but this boy is just ... quiet."


 


"Yeah," Debbie agreed.  "I'm Debbie by the way."


 


"Marianne," the secretary said extending her hand.  "Are you going to try again tomorrow with Peter."


 


"I ... I'm not sure," Debbie admitted looking toward Mrs. Bain's office.  She hadn't accomplished anything, and maybe Mrs. Bain would tell her to just give up.  She didn't want to give up, but it seemed kind of hopeless.


 


"You wouldn't be the first one who didn't come back."


 


"Other people have tried to help Peter?"


 


Marianne nodded.  "Yeah, a counsellor, a volunteer, a psychologist.  They all gave up after a few days."


 


"Then what the fuck am supposed to do?"


 


Marianne chuckled.  "I see why Mrs. Bain thought you might get through to Peter.  He needs some straight talking, not some mumbo jumbo and bribes or whatever the fu.. else they tried with him.  Oh, Mrs. Bain is off the phone.  You can go in."


 


Debbie entered the principal's office and gave her a brief summary of what had happened with Peter.  Mrs. Bain was not surprised that little progress had been made.  All she really wanted to know was if Debbie was willing to come back and keep trying with Peter.


 


Debbie had been trying to decide just that.  She hesitated, but she finally agreed to come back the next day and for the rest of the week.  She would spend an hour a day with the silent young man.


 


"I hope this is worth something in the end," Debbie said as she left the principal's office.  She gave a thumbs up to Marianne as she left, indicating that she would be back.  Marianne gave her a warm smile in return.


 


*****


 


Debbie was very quiet as she rode home with Carl.  He had picked her up after his snooker game with Frank.  He was blathering on about what a good game he had had.


 


"So we're going to play three times a day every day," Carl said.  "Is that all right with you?"


 


"Yeah, sure."


 


"I knew you weren't listening.  There's no way you would let me play snooker three times a day," Carl scolded.


 


"You can do whatever you want, Carl," Debbie said.


 


"Get real!  What are you thinking about?"


 


"This kid I'm supposed to be helping."


 


"Is it that bad?"


 


"He's a tough one."


 


"So was Brian Kinney and some of the others you've helped over the years.  Can I do anything?" Carl offered.


 


"That's sweet of you to offer, but I don't think so," Debbie admitted.


 


"You know I want you to be happy, don't you?" Carl asked.  It had seemed for some time that they weren't getting along as well as they used to.  He hated the distance between them.


 


"I know, kiddo."


 


"I love when you call me kiddo.  It's been a long time since I qualified for that terminology."


 


"You'll always be my sweet lover," Debbie said caressing the side of her husband's face.


 


"Just the way I want it to be," Carl said with a smile.  "Are you sure I can't help in any way with this kid?"


 


"You could take me up to the conjoined cottages.  I need to talk to John."


 


"John?"


 


"Yeah, I have a hunch."


 


"Your hunches are pretty accurate."


 


"I hope you're right about that," Debbie said as Carl drove her up to the cottages at the top of the lane.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One


 


 


Chapter 9


 


 


 


 


 


March 2025


 


“Pierre!” Shane greeted his friend.  They were meeting in a small local pub, off the beaten path.


 


“Shane, good to see you,” Pierre said with a hug for his friend and business competitor.


 


“How is the family?”


 


“Good, and you?  No mister right in the picture?”  Pierre gave his friend a wink.


 


“We can’t all be lucky as you are in your choice of partner.”


 


“You are right.  I’m a lucky man.  I married a beautiful woman who will put up with all my silliness.  Now, tell me why we’re hiding in shadows to speak.  You and I have no secrets.”


 


“No we don’t, which is why I feel free to discuss business with you.  We’ve known each for a long time which is why I have to warn you.  There are rumors in the trade that you are contemplating partnering up with Max Jacobs.  Please be honest with me, Pierre.  There’s a lot at stake.  Are the rumors true?” Shane asked sincerely. 


 


Pierre searched his friend’s eyes for an ulterior motive.  “Yes, they are true.  The business is solid but I’ve grown tired of it and I have no one to leave it to.  I would have asked you but...are you interested?”


 


Shane paused before speaking.  That was an interesting proposal but he’d have to talk it over with Brian first.  “I never thought of merging with you but that’s not why I asked to meet.  I heard that you were considering selling out to Max Jacobs.  Has he made you an offer?”


 


“If this was anyone else but you asking I would have said none of your business, but we are friends.  Yes, he has made me a very generous offer.  He assures me that my people will have a place in his plans.  I’ve seen the results of his work; within a year profits have tripled.”


 


“True, but only for the short term.  Read this.”  Shane handed Pierre a file that contained all the research Gus, Ray and the Kinnetik Isles staff had accumulated on the business practices of one Max Jacobs.  The long term prospects for any of his takeover companies were pretty dim.  It was a miracle if the company lasted longer than five years.


 


“How has he been able to hide this?” Pierre asked.


 


“He flips the business quickly, before anyone realizes he’s no longer involved and his award winning staff have quit.  They move on leaving the most inexperienced trying to keep up.  Everyone is so busy trying to stay above water that no one takes a look at how they began to drown.”


 


“By that time it really doesn’t matter,” Pierre said, shaking his head.  “And you have uncovered this?”


 


“No, not by myself.  I’ve had a lot of talented help,” Shane said as he pointed to the file. 


 


“How did this all come about?” Pierre asked.  His mind was reeling from the implications.  Shane gave Pierre an abbreviated synopsis of how Max began to pursue Brian and Kinnetik.  “Your Mr. Kinney is a good man, yes?”


 


“Aye, a very good man.  He came along just when I was in a similar situation as you are facing now.  A small local firm with no long term prospects and no one to take over the business from me, no one who would run it with integrity.  I have no doubt that Brian’s children will one day inherit his business and follow Brian’s example.  His son is already showing much promise and the little girl...”  Shane laughed.  “You’ll have to meet her one day and then you’ll understand.”


 


“I always wondered why you allowed Kinney to take over.”


 


“Here, read this.  I did my research on one Brian Kinney.”  Shane handed Pierre another file, one that contained all the public records about Brian and Kinnetik.


 


“This is a very thick file.  May I take it to my hotel to read it in private?”


 


“Of course.  Keep it, perhaps you’ll find it useful.  We may yet become partners,” Shane commented with a wink. 


 


Pierre smiled.  “I value my staff; they’re like family.  It would pain me to see them harmed in any way.”


 


“I know that, which is why I had to speak to you.  Max Jacobs has no feelings for his people, he only sees them in terms of how much money they will earn him.  No, we must find a way to stop him, muddy his feeding ground before he ruins another business and more lives.”


 


“All right, mon ami, I hear you.  I must talk with my people but I will join your fight if I can.  At the very least I will turn down Max Jacobs.”


 


“Thank you, now let’s have a nice meal.”


 


“Oui!”


 


*****


 


“It’s never easy with you, is it?” Alex commented at the scowling Brian Kinney currently occupying a chair in Alex’s office.  “That’s a rhetorical question by the way.  But I should have known that anything involving Brian Kinney would not be a walk in the park.”  Alex scribbled something down in Brian’s file then pushed it away.  “Did you at least call Justin to let him know you’re alive and well?”  Brian nodded.  “Maybe we should try couples therapy.  I’ve had great success with that.”


 


Brian frowned as he pinched the bridge of his nose.  He had a bitch of a headache.


 


“Or maybe not.  You do realize that we’re not going to accomplish much with you frowning and me doing all the talking?”  Brian nodded and let out a sigh.  “Tell me what precipitated your move.”


 


“We were doing something real, something right out of an old Norman Rockwell painting.  We were putting together a large puzzle, we were having fun and it felt so normal.  I never felt something so right and so normal.  It was like all the pieces of my life had come together, the good times and the bad, and I had a family to share it all.  And that’s when I knew I had to share the wedding with my family, my whole family, because I could.  When I was younger I was in a rush to leave my so-called family because I never felt accepted by them.  So I asked Justin for a wedding that included our extended family.”


 


“Brian, you have a family that accepts you, even Joan had grown to accept you and you want to share that with those you love.  You want to share officially marrying the man you love above all else with your family.  Brian that’s the most normal thing in the world.  But I want to leave you with something to think about.”


 


Brian looked up at the good doctor.


 


“I know you’ve made some sacrifices along the way to make your relationship with Justin work.  We all have to compromise, a relationship isn’t all one way.  So now you’re faced with a very big decision and I believe once you make that decision your path will finally become clear.”


 


Alex paused to make sure he had Brian’s full attention.


 


“You have to decide what’s more important to you...” 


 


Brian stood, he knew what the Silver Fox was going to say.  “To marry him on his terms or risk not marrying him at all by sticking to my request,” Brian quietly stated.


 


“That’s right,” Alex agreed.  “And I’ll be here for you, Brian.  You can call me day or night.  I make no judgments and I don’t take sides, but you’re my patient as well as a friend.  I will support you in any way that I can.”


 


Brian again recognized the ending of their session.  And as usual he left with more questions than answers.  The one thing he was certain of was that he had to confront Justin before it was too late.  Alex was right, nothing, not even a wedding ring was worth losing Justin.  Brian hurried to the Jeep so that he could call Justin in private.


 


“Hey,” Brian heard Justin’s familiar greeting.


 


“Hey.  I’d like to talk.”


 


“Me too.  I’m at the diner.”


 


“You’re here?”


 


“Yeah, I had a sudden craving for a Liberty Avenue Diner burger with the works,” Justin said.  Brian heard the smile in Justin’s voice.


 


“I’m a few blocks away, order me a...”


 


“Turkey on whole wheat, hold the mayo and a coffee.  On it.  Later.”


 


“Later.”  Brian started up the Jeep.  As he put it into gear he realized his headache was gone and that he was smiling.  He hurried toward the diner.


 


The bell over the door jingled as Brian entered the diner already full with the lunch crowd.  Brian scanned the booths looking for Justin.  The blond head popped up, and upon seeing his mate, Justin smiled.  Brian smiled back; he couldn’t help it.  No matter how Brian felt, it was Justin that made life all worth it.  Would Brian be disappointed not having their family and close friends at the wedding?  Yes he would be, but he loved Justin more than anything.  Nothing in Brian’s world was more important than having him in it, his Sunshine.


 


Justin stood, his smile turned coy almost apologetic.  Brian rushed to him and with his finger he lifted Justin’s chin.  Ocean blue eyes searched the hazel ones before him.


 


“I’m sorry,” Justin began but was stopped by Brian’s kiss.


 


“No apologies, no regrets, Sunshine,” Brian stated when they broke for air.  “Just marry me.”


 


“I will, I want to marry you and I want our family there too.  I know there’s stuff going on with Kinnetik so I’ll talk to Emmett to help us, but I want this.  I want you for my lawfully wedded husband and I want the whole world to know it,” Justin said with a huge smile.


 


Brian lifted Justin and swung him around in a circle.  They laughed until they had tears in their eyes.  Someone shouted, “Get a room!” which only made them laugh harder.


 


“Can we get our lunch to go?” Brian asked with a waggle of his eyebrows.  Justin waggled his own eyebrows then turned to ask Lacy to pack up their lunch.  She stood there holding a bag ready to go.  Brian handed her a fistful of bills as Justin grabbed the bag.  They sprinted out the door then raced to the loft.


 


After safely stowing their lunch, the boys began to shed their clothes as they got closer and closer to the big loft bed, stealing kisses along the way.  Instinct, lust, and love took over as they dove into the bed making love first at a frantic pace and then slower taking their time to touch, caress, and taste each other. 


 


They continued to make love until their lunch became their dinner.


 


*****


 


Debbie sat in the small conference room at the high school where she met with Peter.  She flipped the corners of the pages in the folder she had brought with her.  She glanced around nervously.  Usually Peter was waiting for her when she arrived, but today he was nowhere in sight.  According to the clock on the wall he was five minutes late.


 


Debbie flipped open the folder.  She was banking on its contents to make a real connection with this lad.  She just hoped she had read the situation correctly.


 


Finally the door opened and Peter walked in.  He dropped his sketchbook on the table and sat at the other end from Debbie.  That wasn't a good sign.


 


"How are you today?" Debbie ventured to ask.


 


"How the fuck do I look?" Peter spat out.


 


"What happened?"


 


Peter shook his head and refused to answer.


 


Debbie waited a couple of minutes, but when nothing was forthcoming, she decided she would try to initiate a conversation.  "I brought you something," she said.


 


Peter scowled and didn't look interested.  Debbie picked up the folder she had brought and got up from the table.  She walked down the length of the table and dropped the folder beside Peter.  He raised his hand like he was about to sweep it off the table and onto the floor.


 


"Don't you fucking dare!" Debbie threatened.


 


"You can't do anything to me," Peter declared.  "They've all tried and they never got anywhere.  You won't get anywhere either."


 


"Good to know," Debbie said picking up the folder from the table.  She went back to her chair and retrieved her coat.  She started to put it on.


 


"You leaving?" Peter asked.


 


"What does it look like?"


 


"I never took you for a quitter."


 


"And I never took you for an insolent little twerp!"  Peter let out a chuckle.  "What?" Debbie asked.  She stopped putting on her coat.  They had started to talk even if it wasn't in the way she had hoped to get Peter talking.


 


"Nobody's ever called me a twerp," Peter said with a laugh.


 


"I can't imagine why they haven't," Debbie declared.


 


"I've been called a lot worse."


 


"By who?"


 


"I think that should be 'by whom?'" Peter said with a grin.


 


"Hey, I'm supposed to be helping you, not being corrected by you."


 


"You ... you have helped," Peter said softly.  "I was in a foul mood when I came in here."


 


"Yeah, I noticed," Debbie replied lifting an eyebrow.  "Care to tell me what caused the foul mood?"


 


Peter heaved a sigh.  "I have this history teacher.  He makes everything so boring, and I don't think he knows what he's talking about half the time.  He picks on me every day, and sends me to the office for the slightest thing."


 


"Do you like history?" Debbie asked, not taking the bait about criticizing the teacher.  Peter shrugged.  "I hated history when I was in school.  It was so boring."


 


"Exactly!  But it shouldn't be boring.  It should be about people, not wars."


 


Debbie stared at the young man.  That was some statement from somebody who wasn't a good student at all, probably not even good enough to be classified a bad student.  "Why do you say that?" Debbie finally asked.


 


"I've read lots of books about people in history.  It's interesting how they lived and what they did with their lives."


 


"Then maybe you should look at my folder," Debbie suggested.


 


"What does it have to do with history?"


 


"Open the folder and you'll see," Debbie said.  She slid the folder down the table.


 


Peter caught it and opened it.  A picture of Debbie's thatched cottage sat on top of the pile of papers.  "What's this?" Peter asked.


 


"My house."


 


"No shit!"  Peter studied the picture.  "It really is thatched."


 


"I told you that last time, but I didn't think you really believed me."


 


"Who makes a thatched house these days?"


 


"John Anderson."


 


"You mentioned him before.  Who is he?"


 


"He lives up the lane from me.  He's an architect and builder.  He designed and built my cottage."


 


"Hm," Peter said still studying the photo.  "So, what's the rest of this stuff?"


 


"I talked to John and he gave me copies of some of the other buildings he's done.  I thought you might like to look at them."


 


Peter flipped through a couple of the drawings and looked back up at Debbie.  "He likes old buildings?"


 


"He likes all buildings.  Cottages especially."


 


Just then the bell rang indicating their time was up.


 


"Would you like to take the folder with you and look at John's drawings?" Debbie asked.


 


"Could I?"


 


"Sure, I'll get it back from you next time."


 


"Thanks."  Peter stood up to leave.


 


"Peter, don't let that history teacher get to you."


 


Peter smiled.  "I'll try not to.  See you next time."


 


Debbie watched Peter walk out then let out a long breath.  After the rocky beginning she actually felt like they had made some progress.


 


*****


 


"So how did it go?" Carl asked as Debbie got in the car following her session with Peter.


 


"I was ready to walk out.  Peter came into the room in a bad mood and acted like a real jerk."


 


"You weren't in any danger, were you?" Carl asked.


 


Debbie smiled to herself.  Carl was worried about her.  That was good.  "I don't think Peter would hurt a fly.  One of his teachers has been on his case, and he was feeling the pressure."


 


"I hope you're right that he wouldn't do anything to hurt you."


 


"It's fine, Carl.  He's basically a good kid."


 


"And you know this, how?"


 


"I feel it in my gut."


 


"Let's hope your gut is accurate."


 


"I'm sure it is, but I'll be careful."


 


"Good.  Did this Peter like the stuff John sent with you?"


 


"We didn't really get a chance to talk about it much.  I told Peter to take it home with him.  I think he's really interested."


 


"Did he take the folder?"


 


"Yeah."


 


"Then he's probably interested, or he would have left it behind."


 


Debbie nodded slowly.  "Unless he brings it back shredded," she felt compelled to add.


 


"He better not, or I may have to have a word or two with him," Carl threatened.


 


"I'm glad you still want to protect me," Debbie said rubbing Carl's arm.


 


"I will always protect you, sweetheart."


 


"You haven't called me that for a while."


 


"I think finding some independent things to do has improved our relationship," Carl observed.


 


"I agree.  How was your pool game?"


 


"I'm still better than Frank, but he's pretty close.  I have to be at the top of my game to beat him."


 


"Shouldn't you let him win once or twice?"


 


"Actually he's already won a couple."


 


"But, I thought you said you were better than him."


 


"Sometimes I am.  We're pretty equal," Carl chuckled.


 


"So you're really enjoying playing?"


 


"I am.  And you're enjoying working with this kid?"


 


"I am."


 


"Then it's all good."

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One

 

 

Chapter 10



 
Justin, freshly showered, and modestly wrapped in his soft powder blue bathrobe was toweling off his hair.  Hearing his partner puttering around, Justin stepped closer to the bedroom stairs.  Brian also showered and as naked as the day he was born was moving furniture.

 

“What are you doing?” Justin asked.


“Preparing,” Brian stated curtly.
 

“For what?” Justin asked with some trepidation.  Justin never knew what Brian had up his, um, sleeve.  The sound of the buzzer conveniently prevented Brian from replying.
 

Brian went to the intercom, listened to the doorman then instructed him to send up the visitor.  Justin stood frozen to the spot for a moment then rushed to retrieve Brian’s robe.  He was just about to scold his spouse as he handed Brian his robe when Brian pulled back the loft door to allow in their guests.
 

“Ladies, I believe you should have sufficient room to work here,” Brian drawled as he showed two tall and very fit women to the spot he had cleared moments before.  The ladies ignored Brian’s lack of clothing as they began to set up two tables.
 

“What’s going on?” Justin leaned in to whisper while still trying to get Brian to wrap up in his robe.  Brian took the robe then threw it on the back of a chair.  Justin rolled his eyes then looked upward for guidance.
 

“Massage,” was all that Brian said.
 

“What?”  Justin gave him an incredulous look.
 

“Massage.  I hired a masseuse, two of them to be exact.  I thought we could use a little treat since we spent the last 48 hours burning up the sheets,” Brian whispered back, giving his lover a provocative leer while pinching his butt.
 

The boys had spent the past two days having the best make up sex ever and then making love since they missed each other so much and then fucking because fucking was just what Brian and Justin did best together.  In between rounds the boys called the cottage to let their family know all was well and would John and Bobby mind taking care of Bree for a few days.  Bree was delighted to hear that her parents were back to normal and instructed them to take as long as they needed.  In fact the cottage residents as a whole were very happy that the boys had come to a mutual understanding.  Plans were hatched, Emmett consulted, and the wheels began turning, setting into motion their wedding day preparations.
 

The boys stood out of the way as the ladies removed their coats then began to set out candles and aromatic oils to set the atmosphere.  Justin, not usually intimidated by anyone, was feeling a little vulnerable by the events and high emotions of the past few days. He stood slightly behind Brian.  Brian couldn’t blame Justin, the ladies were almost as tall as Brian and had as many muscles as Ben. 
 

“Maybe I should have invited Mel.  I bet these ladies could…” 
 

Justin stopped Brian by placing two fingers on Brian’s lips.  Justin could well imagine what Brian was going to say.  Fortunately the masseuses were ready and invited the boys to lay down on the tables. 

 

Brian smiled brightly as he hopped up onto the nearest table.  Justin hesitated for a second then went to the second table.  The masseuse took Justin’s robe and smiled kindly as Justin valiantly tried to keep his composure as he arranged himself on the table.
 

Soothing music in the background, relaxing scents wafting through the loft, the boys allowed themselves to be pampered by the pair of highly skilled masseuses.  The groans of passion that had been reverberating throughout the loft for the last two days were temporarily replaced by contented moans of appreciation.
 

An hour and a half later a very languid Justin felt himself guided to the lounge chair.  Curled up in his plush robe, Justin drifted in and out sleep.  In the background his could hear Brian being the perfect host offering the masseuses refreshments while he talked business.  Justin had the presence of mind to crack open an eye to check if his incorrigible partner was still naked.  Fortunately Brian was conducting his business in his robe.  The familiar sounds of the coffeemaker and tea kettle lulled Justin back to sleep.  Unbeknownst to Justin, when the ladies left they were well tipped, had appointments booked for chair massages for the employees at Kinnetik and a prospective ad contract.
 

“Hey, Sunshine, rise and shine,” Brian said as he gently shook his partner awake.  Justin scrubbed the sleep out of his eyes.
 

“How long was I out?” Justin asked as he stretched.
 

“A couple of hours,” Brian said.
 

“I’m sorry, Bri, I didn’t mean to zone out on you.”
 

“No worries, I checked my emails and read over a few contracts.  Besides you needed the sleep.  I figured you’d be hungry when you woke up so I ordered some Thai.  It’ll be here soon.”  The growling of Justin’s stomach proved Brian’s point.  “Why don’t you get the picnic blanket,” Brian suggested.  Justin smiled brilliantly as he went to set up floor space in the alcove.  Their dinner was delivered and the boys ate their favorite Thai dishes at a leisurely pace while stealing kisses from each other.
 

“I have another surprise,” Brian murmured as he nibbled Justin’s earlobe.
 

“More?  You’ll spoil me rotten.”
 

“So sue me.”
 

“What’s the surprise?”
 

“Patience, Sunshine,” Brian teased as he grabbed Justin's wrist to check the time.  Mentally he counted down, three, two, one.
 

“Helloo-ohh!” came from the vicinity of the door which was conveniently left open.  Emmett strolled into the kitchen.  Justin jumped up to greet their friend.
 

“Emmett!” Justin shouted as he went to give Emmett a hug.
 

“Hiya, Honey.  Look at you, you’re positively glowing!” Emmett stated as he held Justin at arm’s length to take a good look at the younger man.  “Just beautiful,” Emmett said with tears in his eyes.  He drew in Justin for another hug.
 

“Honeycutt, hands above the waist,” Brian growled as he came towards them.
 

“Oh psshaw,” Emmett retorted as he hugged Justin closer.
 

“Is our dessert crushed somewhere in there?” Brian asked as he waggled his finger at them.
 

“Over there, Mr. Grumpy.”  Emmett pointed to the kitchen counter.  “You know with all the sex that’s been going on in here you’d think he wouldn’t be so snippy,” Emmett said to Justin. 
 

Justin just giggled.  Everything felt normal again as if the tension of the past several months had finally eased.  The tightness in Justin’s muscles had finally let up and it wasn’t due to his excellent massage.  Something in their lives had shifted.  Justin caught Brian’s eyes, and he nodded.  Justin knew Brian felt it too.  They were finally on the right path.
 

Brian fumbled with the box that Emmett brought.  “Oh let me do it,” Emmett groused as he took the box that held a variety of treats out of Brian’s hands.  Emmett then rummaged through their cabinets to find the right platter to present their dessert.  Within minutes delectable sweet and savory pastries and cakes were plated.
 

“It’s so pretty,” Justin gasped.
 

“Not bad,” Brian snorted.
 

Emmett just shook his head as he bid them a good evening.  “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!” he said as slid the loft door closed.  His grin widened as he heard their good natured laughter.
 

“Sometimes all it takes is a fairy,” Emmett quoted as he rode the elevator down to his apartment.
 

*****
 

March-April 2025


“Is Pierre on board?” Gus asked as he strode into ShaneÂ’s office.  Pierre had returned home, their conversations were taking place via the phone and the internet so not to risk the attention of Max Jacobs.
 

“Yes, me lad.  After careful consideration, Pierre shall tactfully decline Max’s kind offer.”  Shane made quotes in the air.  “I’d love to be a fly on that wall.”
 

“Me too.  What did Dad say about hiring some of Max’s people?”
 

“He’s looking into it but he must be very careful.  He might offer a position at Kinnetik North.  So far Max is avoiding Canada.”
 

“Maybe Max doesn’t like snow,” Gus snarked.  “What about Isles merging with Pierre’s agency?”
 

“Your father is seriously considering that one but again we must be subtle.  We don’t want to rouse suspicion,” Shane said. 

 

Gus nodded as he looked around Shane’s modest office. 
 

“What is it, lad?  You’re looking a bit off.”
 

“My tenure here is almost up, at least for this go around.  I’m going to miss you and your staff.  You’ve all been so kind to me and I’ve learn so much from you.”
 

“And we’ll miss you, but I’m thinking that young man of yours is counting down the days until you walk off the plane.  And I suspect that you’re missing him a little more than you’ll miss us.”
 

Gus smiled.  “Yeah, Ray is some incentive to go home.  But he loves it here as much as I do.  He’s giving my Dad’s offer some serious thought, so who knows you might have to put up with both of us again sometime in the near future.”
 

“That’ll be a pleasure,” Shane assured Gus.  “Enough of this chatter, time to get to work.”
 

“Aye, aye, Cap’n,” Gus saluted with a smile as he left Shane’s office.
 

*****
 

Brian stalked past the receptionist who wisely did not put up a fuss.  He then presented himself with an arched brow to the Silver Fox.
 

“Please tell me all is well in the Kinney-Taylor household,” Alex exclaimed with an exaggerated sigh.  Brian smiled as he sat in a chair in front of Alex’s desk.  “Oh thank the gods!  I don’t think I can take another Brian Kinney meltdown.”  Brian genuinely laughed.  “Seriously, Brian, have you and Justin come to an agreement?”
 

“Yes, we have, and it’s more than I hoped for.  Expect an invitation to our wedding.”
 

“Congratulations, I’ll be honored to attend.  And I promise not to charge you extra.”
 

“Very generous of you.”  Brian handed Alex an envelope.
 

“What’s this?  I haven’t had a chance to tally up all those midnight phone calls yet.”
 

“Open it.”
 

Alex opened the large manila envelope to examine the contents.  He carefully unfolded the papers then set them on his desk.
 

“What am I looking at?  Are these blueprints?” Alex asked, looking up at Brian.
 

“Yes, they are.  It’s a cottage.  It’s just a basic layout; John can customize them to your specifications.”
 

“My specifications?  Brian, what are you saying?”
 

“I’m saying that if you and your partner want a summer home or getaway home, or home away from home, you have a place on Edna’s Treasures Lane.  We have plenty of room on the lane, or if you prefer more privacy, we have a very large meadow that will support a cottage.”
 

“But…”
 

“Just think about it and when you come to the wedding we’ll give you a tour.  Speak to John, he’ll talk your ear off about cottages.”
 

“I will, think about it I mean.  Brian this is so generous of you.”
 

“Not at all.  Of course it means you’d be subjected to visitors popping in and out of the lane at all hours.  And we have our own beasts of hell that patrol the lane.  They’re the true rulers of the lane.”  At Alex’s curious look Brian took out his phone and pulled up a picture of Beau, Lady Lucie and Little Beau.
 

“Good Gods, are they as big as they look?”
 

“Bigger and just as fierce, but it’s all an act.  Beau’s putty in Bree’s hands.”
 

“I’m sure he is.  Brian, are you sure about this?”
 

“Very sure, in fact my family insisted.  Now if you’re done hiking up my bill, I’ll be on my way.”
 

“Hmm?  Oh yeah, sure. Bye,” Alex murmured unable to take his eyes off the blueprints.  Brian chuckled as he left the good doctor’s inner sanctum.
 

“I would hold his calls for a while if I were you,” Brian suggested to the reception as he strode out.
 

*****
 

Debbie was finishing her morning coffee when Carl came into the small dining area in their cottage.
 

"Morning, sweetheart," he said as he poured himself a mug of coffee.  "What's up for you today?"
 

"I need to go to the school for a meeting with Peter," Debbie replied as Carl sat down.
 

"Are you making any progress with him?"
 

"It's hard to say," Debbie said.  "The principal keeps warning me that everyone had failed in trying to get through to this kid."
 

"Meaning that she thought you would likely fail too."
 

Debbie nodded.  "I think I was the last pitiful resort for Peter," she said with a snort.
 

"I think you've developed a real soft spot for this kid," Carl observed.
 

Debbie shrugged.  "There's something about him..."  She didn't finish the sentence.
 

Carl finished it for her.  "...that reminds you of your lost boys."
 

"Yeah, maybe that's it.  But ... I see something more in him than he ever gets credit for.  He's not stupid even though he's doing lousy in school."
 

"And you think you can help him?"
 

"He needs somebody to believe in him."
 

"I just don't want you to be disappointed if it all doesn't work out."  Carl reached across the table and gently rubbed the back of Debbie's hand.
 

"I know," Debbie sighed.
 

"Try... try not to get too involved."
 

"But he needs someone to be involved."
 

"You'll do what you think is best.  Just be careful."
 

"Okay," Debbie said as she mulled over all the things she might be able to do for Peter.
 

*****
 

Carl dropped his wife off at the school and headed to the community center for a game of pool.
 

Debbie walked into the school office wondering which Peter would be at their meeting today - the surly, silent one or the one who had shown an interest in thatched cottages.
 

"Mrs. Horvath," the secretary called, "Mrs. Bain would like to see you before you meet with the student."
 

"Oh?  Is something wrong?" Debbie asked.
 

"I don't know.  Mrs. Bain just told me to send you in to see her as soon as you arrived."
 

"Can I go in?"
 

"Let me make sure," the secretary replied as she picked up the phone and spoke a few words.  "Go right in."  She indicated the door to the principal's office.
 

"Debbie, good to see you again," Mrs. Bain said waving towards the chair on the other side of her desk.
 

Debbie slipped her coat off and sat down.  "What's going on?" she asked.
 

"I wanted to inform you that I had a visit from Peter's father a couple of days ago."
 

"He doesn't want me working with his son anymore, does he?" Debbie said feeling a big weight bearing down on her shoulders.  She had really wanted to help this boy.
 

"No, that's not it," Mrs. Bain replied.  Debbie looked surprised.  "He's being transferred for his job."
 

"But..."
 

"I know.  It is kind of sudden, but there's a history of Peter and his father moving many, many times."
 

"But Peter never said anything about it," Debbie said.
 

"I doubt he knew about the transfer the last time you saw him."
 

"I thought I might be making a little progress with Peter, but now..."  Debbie felt sad that things were going in this direction.
 

"I called you in here to give you the option of halting your meetings with Peter.  I know how easy it is to get attached to someone you're trying to help, so if you want to stop now, I'll let Peter know that you won't be coming back," Mrs. Bain said slowly and carefully.
 

"You sound like my husband," Debbie said.
 

"Well," Mrs. Bain said with a stunned look on her face, "that wasn't the response that I was expecting."
 

"I'm known for being unpredictable," Debbie said with a small smirk.
 

"So, do you want to meet with Peter today?"
 

Debbie considered her options, wondering if it might be best to cut things off immediately and be done with it.  Then it occurred to her that if Peter had moved around as much as Mrs. Bain said, then he had probably had many instances of people cutting off their relationships with him.  No wonder the poor kid was so screwed up.
 

"I want to meet with Peter," Debbie said firmly.
 

"Are you sure?"
 

"One hundred percent."
 

"Then go meet Peter.  He's already in the conference room."
 

Debbie stood up and grabbed her coat.  She was almost out of the office when Mrs. Bain called to her.  "Debbie, I wouldn't mention that you know about Peter moving.  Let him bring it up."
 

Debbie nodded and strode out of the office standing up straight and gearing up for a not very pleasant meeting with Peter.
 

"You're late," Peter said when she entered the room.
 

"Hello to you too," Debbie snapped.
 

"Um, sorry, I'm just used to you being here when I get here."
 

"Mrs. Bain wanted to speak to me."
 

"About me moving?"  Debbie nodded.  "Did she tell you that this will be the fifteenth time I've moved since I started school?"
 

"That's a lot.  It sounds like you've kept score."
 

Peter was thoughtful for a moment.  "I would like to stay someplace for a few years.  That way I might make a friend."
 

"Just one friend?"
 

"I'd settle for that."
 

"I like to think I'm your friend."
 

"You're a little old to go skateboarding with," Peter said with a rueful grin.
 

"There are different kinds of friends."
 

"I know, but it would be nice to have someone my own age that I could hang out with."
 

"Maybe in the new school you'll find someone," Debbie suggested.
 

"That's what everybody thinks each time we move, but it never happens.  The boys have all been together for years and they don't want an outsider butting in."
 

"And the girls?"
 

"That's like advertising that I'm gay.  That would be the kiss of death."
 

"Maybe there will be a gay/lesbian club in your new school."
 

"There's one in this school, but I never tried it," Peter admitted.
 

"Maybe you should try it in your new school.  You want friends to hang out with, that could be where you find them.  Forget about the cliques that are already established.  Make one of you own."
 

"Easy for you to say," Peter replied shaking his head.
 

"Listen, I know what I'm talking about.  My son is gay.  He had a hard time in school ... until he found a friend."
 

"And did he find this friend in a gay/lesbian club?"
 

"There was no such thing when he was in school."
 

"Ah, the good old days ... which are exactly the same as the good new days."
 

"They don't have to be," Debbie said gently.
 

Peter shook his head and didn't reply.  They sat in silence for a couple of minutes.
 

"What did you think of the cottages?" Debbie asked deciding they needed to move on.
 

"Oh, yeah, I brought the folder back."  Peter rummaged around in his backpack and pulled out the folder that John had made about some of his cottages.  He handed it back to Debbie.
 

"So, what did you think?" Debbie asked when Peter made no further comment.
 

"They're interesting.  Some of them look really historical and some are quite beautiful."
 

"John does excellent work.  He's very creative with problem solving."
 

"I wish I was," Peter said in a whisper.
 

"I haven't mentioned this before, but John Anderson is very successful ... and he's gay?" Debbie stated.
 

Peter raised his head and looked Debbie in the eye.  "You think that matters?"
 

"I thought it might."
 

"Well it doesn't," Peter said defiantly.
 

Debbie drew in a long breath.  She didn't want to fight with Peter.  "John would be happy to meet you.  I thought you might like to show him your drawings."
 

"He wouldn't be interested."
 

"You don't know that."
 

"Nobody's interested in me."
 

"Then what the fuck am I doing here if I'm not interested?"  Debbie grabbed her coat pretending to get ready to leave.  She hoped Peter would call her bluff.
 

"Okay, okay, sit down."  Debbie raised an eyebrow and remained standing.  "Please sit down," Peter amended.
 

Debbie sat.  "Would you be willing to meet John?" she asked.
 

"I'm going to be moving in a few weeks, and ... I doubt the school would let me meet an outsider."
 

"Could you get your father's permission?"
 

"Probably, he doesn't care what I do."
 

"I'd like to take you to the lane and show you my cottage.  You could see John's other cottages on the lane and I'll introduce you to him."
 

"Can you do that?"
 

"I have no fucking idea, but I'm going to see if I can make it happen."
 

"If anybody can make it happen, I bet you can."
 

Debbie beamed at him.  "Get your dad's permission and let me take care of the rest."
 

"Okay," Peter said as the bell rang.  He headed off for his next class.
 

Debbie sat for a moment in the conference room.  She needed to collect her thoughts before she broached all of her plans to the principal.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One

 

 

Chapter 11



 
 

April 2025

 

“Aaaa-mazing,” Gus purred as he rolled off Ray.  The minute Gus returned to New York, the boys dove into their bed, making love for days, only coming up for air, food, and bathroom necessities.

 

“Are you home for a while?” Ray asked knowing that Gus could be flown out for Kinnetik business at any time.

 

“Yes, I am, except next month when we go to the lane for the wedding,” Gus said with a smug smile.

 

“They’re finally doing it?”

 

“Yup.  Took them a while to get their shit together but Pop and Justin are going to make it legal,” Gus said as he made quote marks in air when he said the word legal.  His dads were more legal than the average person gay or straight.  “You have to take time off,” Gus commanded.

 

“Of course.  Are my parents invited?” Ray asked. 

 

Gus reached for his phone to check his email; Emmett had sent Gus a copy of the guest list.  He opened the email and waved it in front of Ray’s face, teasing him.  The boys wrestled for the phone which quickly turned into another round of fast and furious sex.  They laughed as they shoved each other around then kissed and clung to one another.

 

“I missed you,” Ray murmured.

 

“Missed you too,” Gus replied.

 

“Did you and Shane figure out what to do about Max?”

 

“We have a tentative plan but it’s not going to be easy.”  Gus went over the plan inspired by Ray to gradually have some of Max’s people hired away.  And since Pierre curtailed his merger with Max, Shane and Brian thought it only right to pass a little business his way. 

 

“I thought Pierre was looking to get out of the advertising business?”

 

“Turns out Pierre was getting bored, so Pop and Shane have been passing him some interesting campaigns.  It’s like he got his mojo back but he may still join forces with Isles,” Gus explained.

 

“So win-win?” Ray asked.

 

“Yup!” Gus replied with a brilliant smile.

 

“And Kinnetik North?  When do you have to go back up there?”

 

“Maybe over the summer.  We can celebrate Pride together!”

 

“So I have you for several months,” Ray purred with a waggle of his eyes.

 

“You have me for as long as you want me,” Gus whispered.  Ray mashed their lips together then it was on to the next round.

 

 

*****

 

 

“Mmm, that was good,” Justin whispered as he nibbled Brian’s earlobe.  The guys were still at the loft and still having lots of make-up sex every moment they could.  Brian rolled on top of Justin, lovingly caressing Justin’s face and hair.  Justin gave Brian a warm smile.  “We should go home.  The guys are taking care of Bree; I don’t like taking advantage of them.”

 

“We’ll go back soon, and it’s not like she’s a baby.  But on the other hand she’s probably declared herself the queen of the lane, and is having the guys scrambling around doing her bidding,” Brian said making Justin laugh.

 

“You’re probably right, and in that case we should go home if only to rescue them,” Justin said.

 

“Yeah,” Brian murmured as he kissed the tip of Justin’s nose.  “Have you given any thought to where you’d like to go for a honeymoon?”

 

“You mentioned New York, I think I’d like to go there and disappear into the crowds for a while.  Maybe visit a few museums.”

 

“I think that could be arranged.  We’ll stay in midtown; that way it’ll be convenient to go anywhere you want,” Brian said.

 

“Anywhere WE want,” Justin stressed as he traced Brian’s face and lips with his fingertips.  The years had been kind to Brian.  The few lines he did have just made him sexier, if that was possible.  And the few grays made him look more distinguished. 

 

“I love you.  I never want to argue like that again,” Justin murmured.  Brian nodded and was about to apologize but Justin stopped him.  “No, this was on me.  I was being a selfish, spoiled brat.  You rarely ask me for anything, I should have realized how important this is to you.  I’m the one who’s sorry.  Can you forgive me?”  Moist blue eyes gazed into Brian’s eyes as Justin waited for Brian’s answer.  Brian let his body answer the question.

 

A few hours later the boys decided to call out for dinner.  As they waited for their order to be delivered they set the table together.

 

“I wanted to discuss something with you,” Brian ventured.

 

“Does it involve you and me and a large bed?” Justin teased.

 

“Not exactly but hold that thought,” Brian said as he put out the silverware.  “It involves a new cottage on the lane.”

 

“Another one?  Do we have room?”

 

“We have space in between Molly and Rachel but I was thinking more towards the meadow.   It’ll need its own driveway and it won’t be hooked up to the grid, but John can make it work.”

 

“You mean like an eco-friendly green cottage?”

 

“Something like that.  He wants to experiment with solar panels and a bio friendly bathroom.  He lost me in all his techno babble but it’ll be far enough away from the conjoined cottages so it won’t obstruct the view or your lighting.”

 

“Hmm.  Who did you have in mind to live in it?”

 

“The Silver Fox.”

 

“Really?  I pegged him for a city boy,” Justin said with wonder as his eyebrows disappeared into his hairline.

 

“Yeah, but even a city boy needs a vacation now and then.  And he was there when I needed him, day or night.”

 

“You don’t have to convince me.  He’s good people and I appreciate all he’s done for the both of us.  Did you show him some plans?” Justin asked.

 

Brian burst out laughing.  “On my last visit I handed him an envelope with a set of John’s blueprints.  I don’t think the good doctor noticed when I left his office.  He was practically drooling.”  Brian paused.  “I’m not sure how to take that.  I must be losing my touch; I’m not used to being ignored,” Brian said with a put upon pout.  Justin put down a dish then gave him a hug.

 

“Poor baby.  But you must admit John’s cottages are stiff competition even for the Stud of Liberty Avenue,” Justin teased.  Brian pushed Justin against the nearest pillar, grinding his groin against Justin’s ass.

 

“I’ll show you stiff,” Brian purred into Justin ear, nibbling the back of Justin’s neck. 

 

That’s when the intercom buzzed announcing their dinner.

 

“Hold that thought,” Justin parroted Brian as he extricated himself from Brian’s grip to get their dinner.  Brian adjusted himself then went to pour their favorite wine.  Justin generously tipped the delivery boy, slid the door shut then brought the deliciously smelling parcels to the table.

 

The boys leisurely ate their dinner while filling in each other on what was going on in their lives for the past few months.

 

“I feel like I’ve been living in a fog,” Brian stated, shaking his head.  “So much time wasted.”

 

“Nothing was wasted,” Justin assured his mate.  “You recognized that you needed help and you got it.  Your fog has lifted.”

 

“Kinnetik,” Brian mumbled.

 

“Is fine.  You have brilliant people working for you including your son.  It survived.”

 

“And Bree?  I feel I neglected her while I was wallowing in my shit.”

 

“You never wallow.  And we have a very perceptive daughter who understands that Dada needed help to sort out some stuff.  You got that help and now you’re ready to come home to us,” Justin said as he stood up from the table and crossed the floor to kneel in front of his spouse.  “You are the strongest, bravest person I know.” 

 

Brian shook his head.  “You’re the brave one,” he said as he gently traced the almost imperceptible scar on Justin’s temple.  He leaned down to give Justin a gentle kiss.  “I think I want to go home tonight.”

 

“Then we go home tonight.  Can we stop by Mom’s first?” Justin asked.

 

“Yeah.  Let’s make the rounds,” Brian suggested.

 

It was early enough in the evening for the boys to stop by the gallery, visit with Jennifer and Seth, and stop by the diner to pick up lemon bars for the kids.  They packed, cleaned up the loft then headed home to Edna’s Treasures Lane.

 

 

*****

 

 

The conjoined cottage was calm.  Its residents were in the sun porch working on another puzzle.  The boys entered quietly; they pulled over additional chairs then joined their family.  Soft chatter and friendly banter was the order of the evening as they concentrated on the puzzle.

 

Everyone could feel that life on the lane was now back to normal. 

 

 

*****

 

 

Debbie strode purposefully into the office at Bree's school.  She waved at the secretary she had spoken with before.  The woman came over to the counter to see what Debbie wanted.

 

"Can I help you, Mrs. Horvath?" she asked.

 

"I need to speak to the principal."

 

"Do you have an appointment?"

 

"No, I didn't know I needed one."

 

"Well, Mrs. Bain is very busy."

 

"It's important that I speak with her."

 

The secretary looked toward the principal's office.  Debbie could see Mrs. Bain through the glass pane in the door of the office.  The principal was at her desk.  Debbie couldn't really see what the principal was doing.

 

"She's on the phone," the secretary said.  "If you want to wait, I'll tell her you're here, and maybe she will have time to speak with you.  No guarantees though."

 

"Thanks," Debbie replied.

 

"Have a seat and I'll let you know."

 

Debbie sat down in one of the chairs lined up against the wall.  She glanced over at a student who slumped in his chair a few places over.  She wondered what he had done to end up in the office - probably nothing good.

 

Glancing around the office, Debbie let her mind wander to what she was going to say to Mrs. Bain.  She had rehearsed her arguments all day at home, but now she was having trouble remembering exactly what she wanted to say.  She shook her head trying to recall all the smart things she had dreamt up to tell Mrs. Bain.  When they weren't coming to her, she began to think this whole thing was a bad idea.

 

"Mrs. Bain is off the phone," the secretary said after a few minutes.  "I'll let her know that you want to speak to her."

 

"Thanks," Debbie replied drawing in a deep breath.  She could still stop the secretary.  All she had to do was tell her not to bother.  She opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out.

 

"You can go in," the secretary told Debbie.

 

Debbie blinked a couple of times and stood up.  She mustered all the courage and energy she could, and stepped through the gap in the counter.  She walked toward the principal's door.  As she reached for the handle, she hesitated.

 

"Go right in," the secretary urged.

 

Debbie drew a deep breath and opened the door.  Mrs. Bain was seated behind her desk looking at a file.  She indicated that Debbie should sit in the chair across the desk from her.  Debbie sat, wondering if she should go ahead with her request.  She really did not like being refused, and she had a sinking feeling that would be the outcome.

 

"What can I do for you, Mrs. Horvath?" Mrs. Bain asked, closing the file and setting it aside.

 

"Please call me Debbie."

 

"Right, Debbie."

 

"I, um, I want permission to take Peter on a field trip," Debbie managed to get out.

 

"A field trip?" Mrs. Bain asked.  She was clearly startled by Debbie's request.

 

"Yes, I want to take Peter somewhere with me."

 

"And where would this somewhere be?"

 

Debbie hesitated.  She had thought that calling this excursion a field trip would make it sound more official.  Now it just sounded silly.  She was about to give up and tell Mrs. Bain she was sorry to have wasted her time, when another thought came to her.  This trip was exactly what Peter needed.  She knew it.  And it was what she wanted too.  "I want to take Peter to the lane where I live.  He has expressed interest in my thatched roof cottage, and in the other cottages on the lane.  It's the only thing he's shown any interest in.  This would be good for him," Debbie ended.  She looked at Mrs. Bain whose face remained impassive.  Maybe principal's learned that expression as part of their job.  Or, more likely, she was expressing her disapproval and the whole idea was going to be kyboshed. 

 

"I see."

 

"You see that I'm a foolish old woman and you're going to turn me down," Debbie supplied.

 

"I didn't say that."

 

"But it's what you're thinking.  Well, thanks for your time.  I won't take up any more of it." Debbie picked up her purse getting ready to leave.

 

"You're jumping to conclusions ... Debbie."

 

"Yeah, I get told that a lot, but they're usually the right conclusions."  Debbie stood up.

 

"Please sit down.  I'm not turning down your request, but I must caution you about some things.  Usually we ask volunteers to keep at arm's length from the students they are working with.  Taking Peter to your home opens up a potential ... can of worms.  Are you sure you want him to know where you live?"

 

"I'm not afraid of Peter," Debbie declared, as she sat back down.

 

"I didn't think you were, but it's better to be careful than take unnecessary chances."

 

"I'm willing to take this chance."

 

"I can see that.  Have you discussed this with Peter?"

 

"No, I wouldn't get his hopes up without knowing that this could actually happen."

 

"That's good.  If you're sure you want to do this, you will need permission from Peter's father," Mrs. Bain explained.

 

"I get the impression from Peter that his father doesn't really care what he does."

 

"Mr. Chang is still Peter's father.  He has the right to refuse."

 

"You think he'll refuse?" Debbie asked with concern.  She had begun to think that this trip was going to happen.  Now she wasn't so sure.

 

"I don't know," Mrs. Bain admitted.  "I haven't had a lot of contact with Mr. Chang in spite of Peter's problems.  I think you should discuss this with Peter, and if he wants to go to your home, and if you and your husband are okay with that happening, then I will contact Mr. Chang and suggest he allow the ... fieldtrip."

 

"That would be great," Debbie said.  It at least sounded promising.

 

Mrs. Bain looked at her watch as a bell rang.  "Peter will be waiting for you," she said to Debbie.

 

"Yeah, I'll talk to him now."  Debbie picked up her purse and left the office.  The first hurdle had been crossed.

 

 

*****

 

 

Peter was waiting in the conference room by the time Debbie got there.

 

"You're late," Peter said.  Usually she was waiting for him when he arrived at the conference room.

 

"I had to speak to Mrs. Bain," Debbie said as she sloughed off her coat and sat down.  They sat side by side now instead of at opposite ends of the table.

 

"You bailing on me?" Peter asked.

 

"If I say I'll be here, I will," Debbie said with emphasis.

 

Peter could tell his comment had irritated her.  "Okay, okay, so far you have done what you say."

 

"Well, thanks for that."

 

"My dad usually lets me down," Peter said, barely above a whisper.

 

"Has something happened?"

 

"He's in New York on business.  He's got some weird old bag staying with me.  He felt he had to get someone, but she'd rather be anywhere else, and so would I.  I don't know where he dug her up from.  I'd rather be on my own."

 

"You're too young to be on your own."

 

"I'm fifteen."

 

"That's too young to stay by yourself," Debbie affirmed.

 

Peter shrugged.  "I've run away a couple of times.  I like being on my own."

 

A memory of Jason Kemp's body in the dumpster ran through Debbie's mind.  "The streets are no place for young kids," she cautioned.

 

"Living with my father isn't exactly a picnic."

 

Debbie shook her head.  She hated that Peter was so unhappy.  Maybe this trip to the lane would do him some good.  It would be nice to see him smile and enjoy something.

 

"I was talking to Mrs. Bain about taking you to the lane where I live so you can see my lovely little thatched cottage."

 

"What?"

 

"You heard me."

 

"Are you serious?"

 

"I wouldn't be telling you this if I wasn't."

 

"But.."

 

"But what?"

 

"You'd actually take me to your home?" Peter asked in disbelief.

 

"Why is that so hard for you to believe?"

 

"Nobody ever wants me around," Peter said.  Debbie could hear the sadness in his voice.  "Why would you be any different?"

 

"If you haven't figured out that I like you, kiddo, then you're not half as smart as I think you are."

 

"You think I'm smart?"

 

"I know you are, too smart for you're own good, if I'm any judge," Debbie said gently.

 

Peter chuckled.  Debbie decided she wanted to hear more of that sound.

 

"We have to get your father's permission for the field trip," Debbie explained.

 

"Good luck with that."

 

"What do you mean?  Won't your father give his permission?"

 

"Probably, but he's not easy to get in touch with."

 

"Mrs. Bain was going to handle that."

 

Peter shrugged.  "We'll see."

 

"I asked John Anderson to give you a tour of the lane," Debbie said looking for something more positive to talk about.

 

"The architect dude?"

 

"Yes, the architect dude," Debbie replied with a chuckle.  She'd have to tell John that he was officially the architect dude.

 

"That would be cool ... if it happens."

 

"It's going to happen," Debbie said with as much surety as she could muster.  "Maybe you could bring some of your sketches with you when you come."

 

"Why?"

 

"John would be interested in seeing them ... and there might be someone else on the lane when you're there."

 

"Who?" Peter asked wondering what this woman had in store for him.

 

"That's for when you get there," Debbie said with a mysterious smile.

 

"You're a tease."

 

"Sometimes," Debbie admitted.

 

"Do you think this will really happen?" Peter had to ask.

 

"I think so!"

 

Debbie hoped she was right.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One

 

 

Chapter 12



 
 

May 2025, a few days before the wedding.

 

“What are you doing?” Brian asked Alex.  Alex was standing in the middle of the lane at a central location where he could see most of the homes.  He was slowly turning to take it all in.

 

At Brian’s invitation, the good doctor as well as the rest of the boys’ extended family began to trickle onto the lane.  All of the homes had opened up their doors to make room for their cwazy wittle family and friends.  Brian put Alex in his attic office.  The futon was quite comfortable, and the room bright and airy.

 

“Now I understand why you rarely leave this place.  It’s almost magical.”

 

“Magical?  Unconventional words coming from a psychiatrist,” Brian teased.

 

“Yeah, well I’m not your average psychiatrist; and certainly not one now.  I’m just a guy you invited to your wedding and a prospective neighbor.”

 

“You’re more than just some guy.  You’re a friend and the man that helped me get through the fog.”

 

“Is your path now clear?”

 

“Crystal.  You ready for the official tour?” Brian asked as he led Alex towards Emmett’s cottage.

 

“You have time for this? Don’t you have wedding stuff to do?”

 

“I have plenty of time.  Emmett and his minions will take care of everything.  All Justin and I have to do is show up at the appointed time.”

 

“You make it sound so simple.”

 

“It is simple.  We already had the big show.  This time Justin and I stand in the glade by the stream.  Tom says the magic words, we sign a few papers and poof - we’re married.  We come back to the house and party.  No big deal.”

 

“No big deal?!  You have hundreds of people staying here.  That’s a lot of mouths to feed.”

 

“Emmett has it covered,” Brian said with a confident smirk.  Emmett not only had his catering crew working on the preparations, he had the bistro and the restaurant crews working too.  There had to be at least fifty people ready to cook, bake, bartend, and wait on the family.  Plus there was a designated clean-up crew on standby.  Emmett indeed had it covered.  Drew confided to Brian that he snuck a peek at Emm’s plans and thought it was more complicated than a Superbowl stratagem.

 

Brian and Alex slowly strolled the lane as Brian described the thought process behind each building.  They stopped in front of Michael’s log cabin.

 

“This is not just a log cabin, it’s a log mansion!” Alex exclaimed. 

 

Brian chuckled.  “Yeah, John had a bit of a hissy fit over this one.”

 

“I can imagine.  Other than the house at the top of the lane, the cabin is a departure from the cottage motif,” Alex observed.

 

“We have a motif?” Brian asked with a smirk.  Alex gave Brian a baleful look, making Brian laugh.  “Michael is not a cottage type man, hence the cabin.  I think Hunter and his partner use it more during the year.  Michael and his professor stay mainly in the summer and holidays.”

 

“And the house?”  Alex motioned with his chin indicating Rachel and George’s house.

 

“It belongs to Bobby’s sister and her husband.  The house was about to be torn down due to a weird rezoning regulation so John rescued it and moved it here.  Rachel and George raised their girls here; they’re now grown.”

 

“And Emmett’s cottage?” 

 

Brian smiled.  “Emmett always wanted a cottage with a white picket fence.  Drew loves Emmett,” Brian said with a small shrug of his shoulders.

 

“Like you love Justin.  John told me the story about your cottage, the sun porch, and about bringing John’s cottage to the lane.  This is a beautiful place,” Alex said wistfully.  “I’m honored to be asked.  I make it a point to schedule down time for myself and my partner.  I can see spending it here.”

 

“Then I guess it was a good thing I invited you here.”

 

“This is adorable,” Alex said as they came upon Molly’s getaway cottage.  “A bit too feminine for my taste though.”

 

“It was built for Molly.”

 

“Justin’s sister,” Alex murmured.  He had been learning the names and a brief history of the lane residents.  “Who does your landscaping?  I’d like to hire the company for our cottage,” Alex asked.  Brian gave Alex a knowing smile.  “No, it can’t be you.”  Brian nodded.  “The greenhouse too?”

 

“All of it.  I do my own gardening with Bree’s help, and I take care of Molly’s cottage.  I had help for the greenhouse.  Do you remember Todd?”

 

“Todd.  As in “how’s it going” Babylon Todd?  I haven’t heard about him in years.”

 

“He had moved out of the Pitts then a few years ago he came back.  He owns a garden center and landscaping business not too far from here.  He’s also Tom’s partner.” 

 

Alex stopped walking, standing in the road with his hands on his hips.  When Brian realized he had lost his shadow, he stopped walking.

 

“What?”

 

“You build homes for your nearest and dearest.  And I know for a fact that you’ve helped certain members of our community start up their businesses.  I bet you had a hand in Todd’s business.    Plus, you funded the Kemp Center.  And I hear you’re a bit of a matchmaker.  Are there any boundaries you won’t cross?”

 

Brian stood seemingly contemplating Alex’s question.  “Nope!” Brian proudly replied.  Alex just shook his head as he stepped up to Brian’s side.  They continued walking toward the meadow where they were soon joined by John.

 

“So what do you think?” John asked with a jovial smile.  Brian and John waited for Alex’s reaction to the spot they chose for the new cottage.  The meadow was in bloom with spring grasses and flowers.  Sunflower stalks were just peeking over the tallest grasses promising to brighten the meadow when in full bloom.

 

“Um,” Alex murmured with a furrow in his brow.

 

“You don’t like it?” John asked just as Brian said, “Allergies?”

 

“Whoa!  Guys, I love but it may prove to be too impractical,” Alex began.

 

“How?” the twin-like brothers said at the same time and in the same annoyed tone.  Alex stepped back then chuckled.  “I knew you guys were a lot alike but really.”

 

Brian waved it off but John’s face showed his concern.

 

“I guess I should elaborate,” Alex said. 

 

“Ya think?” Brian snarked which Alex ignored.

 

“My partner is wheelchair bound.  We need something that’s accessible for his van and wheelchair.”

 

The boys were shocked and didn’t know quite what to say.  Alex put their minds at ease.

 

“Hey, no long faces.  Glen is fine.  This happened over thirty years ago.  He went through his 'why me' and 'I hate the fucking world' stages a long time ago.  He got over it and now he uses it to advance the cause for the disabled.  He’s very eloquent, plus quite the beefcake.  He originally went to college on an athletic scholarship.  After Glen recovered both physically and mentally, he went back to school and earned a dual degree in psychology and physical therapy.  That’s the reason he’s not with us this week.  One of his patients is entered in his first marathon.  Glen wanted to be there for support and as a coach.”

 

John and Brian remained silent.

 

“Guys, that’s your cue to speak,” Alex teased.  The boys blushed then put their heads together, mumbling and pointing at the land around them.  “Uh, guys?”

 

Alex stood, waiting for the Bobsey twins to come up for air.  Finally they did, both sporting the same smug smile.

 

“Just on the other side of our cottage we have a driveway that runs the length of the conjoined cottages,” John began.  “I can widen the cut then create your own driveway to your cottage.  I can have it surround the cottage so you have full access no matter which door you choose.  And I can guarantee at least three doors.  Everything will be on the one level with doorways wide enough to accommodate Glen’s chair.  We can also make the cabinets and doors lower for easy access.”

 

John pulled out a notebook to jot down his ideas.  When John paused to stare at the land again, Brian snatched the notebook and pen out of his hands.  On a new sheet of paper Brian made his own notes and sketches.  This went on for several minutes, the boys alternating staring at the meadow then making notes and sketches.  Alex found it all quite amusing.

 

“I always knew you were the most well adjusted bastard that ever lived,” Alex mumbled to himself.  Here, within the microcosm of the lane, Brian’s true personality shone.  “Well?”  Alex stood waiting.  John gave Alex the notebook.  The boys flanked the shorter man as Alex turned the pages.  “This is amazing!”

 

John had sketched out a tentative floor plan including lower cabinets and a wide wheelchair accessible bathroom.  There was a front door, a kitchen door that opened into a mud room-pantry-laundry room, and a small sun porch that was large enough for entertaining but looked intimate.  There were technical notations that Alex didn’t try to understand, but what took his attention was the large fireplace in the main room.  It was flanked by bookshelves.

 

“How did you know?” Alex asked with awe.

 

“Know what?” John asked.

 

“Know that Glen and I are avid readers.  The bookshelves are perfect.”

 

“Just a guess.  You’re a highly educated man, I imagine so is your partner.  I figured you might like somewhere to place your books.  If you didn’t like them I could always repurpose the space.”

 

“No need, I love it and so will Glen.  I told you we make sure to take time for ourselves.  We found out early in our careers that the possibility of burnout is very real.  We regularly plan time for ourselves.  Now we’ll have some place special to go to.” 

 

John beamed with pride.

 

Alex continued flipping through the pages until he came to Brian’s rough sketches.  “What are these?”

 

“Flower beds,” Brian replied.

 

“I hate to admit it but I have a brown thumb.  I’ve even killed cactus.  And Glen’s never been interested.”

 

“No worries.  These are all perennials, very low maintenance.  They’ll come back year after year.  We can take care of whatever weeding you might need.  Bree may want to do it herself, if not, the garden center will take care of it,” Brian explained.

 

“You have this all worked out,” Alex declared.

 

“Yes,” the boys exclaimed.

 

“So do we have a go?”  Brian asked.

 

“Yes!”

 

“Shouldn’t you talk this over with Glen?” John asked.

 

“We already discussed it and did a little research on you, John Anderson and Anderson Construction.”  John blushed.  “We trust that you’ll be able to pull this off.  As for you and your flower beds,” Alex directed himself toward Brian.  “Just keep it simple.  I appreciate the low maintenance.”

 

“You got it, Doc!” Brian said with a smirk.

 

Soon Alex was beginning to feel a bit claustrophobic, surrounded by the tall men.  He stepped forward saying, “That’s better.” 

 

The guys laughed as they all walked back to the conjoined cottages.

 

*****

 

John sat at the drawing board in his office.  He was working on several possible designs for the new cottage in the meadow.  He had so many ideas and couldn't decide which one would be best.  Finally he decided to make three drawings, one of each of his possible designs.  Then he would let Alex and his partner decide which they liked best.  All would have the same basic floor plan but the outsides were very different.

 

As he was putting the finishing touches on the second drawing he glanced out at the sun porch.  All was calm at the moment, but it wasn't that way very often lately.  Emmett and the couple-to-be married were often there discussing arrangements.  Alex's visit had provided a needed break.

 

John rolled his head on his shoulders to relieve the tension that was there.  He leaned back in his chair and let his mind wander to the other problem that was nagging away at him.  He wasn't sure what could be done about it, but he knew something had to be done.

 

About three weeks ago he had agreed to meet the kid that Debbie was mentoring at high school.  The idea of Debbie mentoring had really touched John's funny bone, but she seemed to be taking the whole thing so seriously.  She had told him about this Peter Chang and his difficulties with school and with his father.  The kid sounded like a mess, but Debbie had taken in another stray and really hoped to be able to help Peter.

 

Peter's interest in cottages, or maybe just buildings in general, had surprised John when Debbie had informed him about it.  Most kids these days weren't interested in anything having to do with the real world, especially the past.  But Peter seemed to be, and that was why he had agreed to meet with the young man.  It had taken a couple of weeks for Debbie to arrange for Peter to come to the lane.  Peter's father was rather uncooperative to say the least.  Debbie said the school principal had had quite a bit of difficulty contacting Mr. Chang.  When she finally got to speak with the man, he gave cursory verbal approval for the trip to the lane.  His indifference to what his son did was astonishing.  Finally he said that Peter could do whatever he wanted to as long as he didn't take up any more of his father's time.  The principal had sent a letter about the trip to the lane to Mr. Chang.  It took many days before Peter brought it back signed.

 

Peter had been excited about going to the lane, but Debbie had sensed his sadness that his father didn't seem to care what he did.  Peter had even told Debbie that he was going to run away if his father didn't agree to the trip.

 

And then the day had arrived.  Debbie and Carl had picked Peter up from school and brought him to the lane in time for lunch.  He would spend the afternoon with Debbie and Carl and John who had been invited to Debbie's for lunch. 

 

John had found Peter kind of fascinating.  At first the boy would say nothing.  He merely nodded when John introduced himself.  And any questions that John asked were met with shrugs or stares or glares.  Debbie did most of the talking and filled in whatever information John was asking about.  John had to wonder how long the kid could keep up the silence.

 

After lunch things changed.  John told Peter that he would take him on a tour of the lane, but it had to be just John and Peter.  Peter looked scared at that announcement and looked to Debbie to bail him out.  Debbie merely shook her head and said she would clean up the lunch dishes while they were gone.

 

John held the door and waved Peter through as they exited the thatched cottage.  Peter waited apprehensively  on the porch while John shut the door.

 

"Debbie tells me that you were interested in the fact that she lives in a thatched cottage."  Peter shrugged.  "Do you know anything about thatching?"  Peter shook his head.  "Most people wonder why rain doesn't seep through the thatch, especially in storms."  John left that statement hanging as he led Peter out to the lane where they could look back at the cottage.

 

John didn't say anything for several minutes while Peter stared at the thatched roof.  Finally he felt compelled to end this silence.  "Look, if you want to learn something about these buildings then ask some questions or we forget this whole idea."

 

Peter studied this man for a minute.  "Debbie would have said 'these fucking buildings'," Peter observed.

 

"Is that right?"  Peter nodded.  "Debbie has a big, bad mouth in case you haven't noticed."

 

"I noticed."

 

"And you like that?"

 

"At least I don't feel like she's coddling or being so fucking nice that it makes me want to throw up.  She's a straight shooter, even though she doesn't really know me, nobody does."

 

"And you're not going to let anybody get to know you."  Peter shrugged.  "It's safer that way, isn't it?"

 

"What do you know about it?" Peter demanded.

 

"Not much, but my brother's an expert."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Yeah."

 

There was a long pause while neither of them said anything.

 

"So why doesn't water come through the thatch?" Peter finally asked.

 

John tried not to smile.  They were making some progress at last.  "It's all in the way the straw is bundled and overlapped.  It sheds the water."

 

"Why did you want to build with thatch?"

 

"To see if I could."

 

Peter grinned.  "That's a good reason."

 

"Shall we have a look at some of the other buildings on the lane?"

 

"Okay."

 

John and Peter had spent the next hour walking from building to building on the lane.  John gave the history of each building.  He saved his own cottage till the last. 

 

"This is a really unusual structure," Peter said as they approached the conjoined cottages.

 

John smiled.  The kid was observant and bright.  Debbie had been right about that.  And now he was talking.  They had definitely made some progress.

 

"It's unusual because it's two separate cottages that were joined together.  My partner and I live in one cottage while my brother and his partner live in the other.  They're joined by a huge sun porch that we share together."

 

"You must get along well with your brother," Peter stated.

 

"I do.  Do you have any brothers or sisters?"

 

Peter shook his head.  "I'm glad I don't.  I wouldn't wish my father on anyone else."

 

"That's pretty harsh."

 

"That's how I feel," Peter said defiantly.

 

John was beginning to understand just how much Peter hated his life and apparently his father.  It was very sad.

 

"Come on in," John said as he opened the door to his cottage.  "Bobby isn't home.  He's at work."

 

"He's your ... partner?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Have you been together long?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Are you taking lessons from me about not talking?" Peter asked with a grin.

 

The kid had a sense of humor.  Who knew?  "Okay, smartass, you want to know about me and my partner?"  Peter nodded with another grin.  "My brother kind of set us up way back when.  Once I met Bobby I knew he was the one.  We've been together ever since."

 

"How ... how did you know he was the one?" Peter asked hesitantly.

 

John wondered if he should broach the subject of Peter being gay, since Debbie had mentioned it to him, but he thought it would be better if he let Peter tell him that himself.  "I don't think anyone can explain that.  You just know."

 

"Oh."

 

"Is there someone you have feelings for?"

 

Peter shook his head.  "I don't have ... anyone," Peter said sadly.

 

John had the feeling that statement encompassed a lot more than a boyfriend.  "Well, let's have a look at the house."  John showed Peter through the cottage before taking him into the sun porch.  He already knew that Justin would be there painting.  That had been prearranged.

 

"Hey," John said.

 

"Hey," Justin replied dropping his paintbrush into a can of solvent.

 

"Justin, this is Peter," John introduced them.

 

"Right, Debbie said you were coming today," Justin replied nonchalantly.  He extended his hand for Peter to shake.

 

Peter hesitated but then shook the hand.  "You're Justin Taylor, the artist, aren't you."  It was a statement not a question.

 

"Yes, that's me," Justin said with a sunshine smile. 

 

"This is an amazing space," Peter said looking around.

 

"Yeah, John designed it.  We spend a lot of time out here.  It's great for so many things, including big gatherings."

 

Peter glanced up noticing the pulley system for Justin's paintings.  "How does that work?"

 

"I designed it for Justin," John said.  "Let's show him if you're done painting for today."

 

"I am," Justin replied.  "Maybe Peter would like to see what I'm working on before we put it away."

 

"Me?  Wow!  Sure," Peter said.

 

Justin turned his easel so Peter could see.

 

"Where is that place?" Peter asked after he had stared at the canvas for a couple of minutes.  "It...It looks so ... peaceful, so beautiful"  It was almost a whisper.

 

"It is peaceful and beautiful.  It's where I'm going to marry my partner in a few weeks."

 

"Oh."

 

There was another long pause.

 

"Debbie says you like to sketch," Justin said to break the silence.

 

"Oh, um, yeah, um, sort of..."

 

"Did you bring your sketchbook with you?"

 

Peter's eyes got really big.  "Debbie asked me to.  It's in my backpack at her house."

 

"We can go over and look at it later," Justin said.

 

"Loo...Look at it?" Peter stammered.

 

"Yes, I'd like to see what you draw."

 

"You...you wouldn't be interested," Peter protested.

 

"Why don't you let me be the judge of that?"

 

"But you're an artist.  I just ... doodle," Peter said trying to explain that there was no point in Justin looking at his sketches.

 

"I'd like to see your drawings, but if you don't want me to..."  Justin let the sentence hang, wondering if Peter would take him up on the offer to not look at the sketchbook.

 

"I...I never show anybody what I draw, but if you..."  Peter gave up trying to explain.  He couldn't believe that Justin Taylor would want to look at his doodles.

 

"I really would like to see them," Justin said softly.

 

Peter merely nodded unable to get his voice to work.  He couldn't comprehend that a famous artist like Justin Taylor would have any interest in his drawings.

 

"Um, how do you like the lane?" Justin asked looking for a new topic of conversation.

 

"It's ... interesting.  You'd never know that it was here," Peter observed.

 

"Yeah, that was the whole idea - get away from the big, bad old world out there."

 

"It must be great living here."

 

"We like it," Justin replied with a smile.  "How about we have some hot chocolate and then you can show me your sketches?"

 

"Sounds great!" Peter agreed.

 

*****

 

That had been a good day, John thought as he sat up straighter in his chair.  Justin had been complimentary about Peter's sketches, saying that he had some interesting ideas.  John had liked them even more, since many of them were of futuristic buildings that Peter had dreamed up.  If Peter got some training he might be able to design some actual buildings in the future.

But, and it was a big but, Peter had so many things working against him that his future didn't seem very bright.  It was a shame.

 

Debbie had told him that Peter had not shut up all the way back to the school.  He rambled on and on about how much he liked the lane.  He had found the buildings interesting, and they had inspired him to come up with some really good ideas for drawing more buildings in his sketchbook.  For someone that you could hardly get a word out of, Peter had suddenly become a real chatterbox.

 

When John and Debbie had actually sat down to discuss what had happened with Peter, he was surprised to hear her say that someone had to get that kid the fuck away from his father.  Peter had so much potential in Debbie's eyes, and living with his father was stifling every bit of that potential.  They had spent a long time discussing what might be done to help Peter but they hadn't come up with anything very concrete.

 

Debbie had some farfetched idea that John didn't think was possible.  But nobody told Debbie Novotny Horvath what she could and couldn't do.

Chapter 13 - Epilogue by SabinaThymeSunshine

Still the One

 

 

Epilogue



 
 

 

May 2025

 

Brian poured himself a fresh cup of coffee then returned to the window looking out onto Tremont Street.  The Pitts was beginning to wake up, and with it the noise and bustle of the big city that he and his fellow lane residents sought to escape.  Brian turned his gaze back toward the bedroom and the bed that held so many memories of his life.  He took another sip of coffee, savoring the taste of his special blend.  He began quietly humming a song, albeit a little off key.  Brian stopped himself and shook his head as he chuckled.  The great Brian Kinney reigned supreme in practically anything he set his mind to, but he had to admit, singing was never his forte.  But that was all right with him because apparently his partner, his legally wedded husband, could very deftly carry a tune.

 

*****

 

The wedding day was picture perfect.  Mother Nature cooperated by bestowing a warm sunny Spring day, a gentle breeze, with just a few fluffy white clouds overhead to make it interesting.  Brian and Justin stood in front of Tom in the glade with the stream as their backdrop.  John and Bobby were their official witnesses, the kids flanked the happy couple, and the boys were surrounded by their friends and family.  The actual ceremony was simple, “Do you take this man…,” yada, yada, yada.  After a couple of “I dos” and one hot kiss, Brian took Justin’s hand and was about to lead the whole procession out of the glade and back to house for the party.  But of course Justin had other plans.

 

Out of nowhere several members of Emmett’s wait staff produced string instruments.  Justin took Brian’s hands into his own then began to sing.       

 

You know our love was meant to be
The kind of love that lasts forever
And I want you here with me
From tonight until the end of time
You should know, everywhere I go
You're always on my mind, in my heart
In my soul

Baby

You're the meaning in my life
You're the inspiration
You bring feeling to my life
You're the inspiration
Wanna have you near me
I wanna have you hear me sayin'
No one needs you more than I need you

And I know, yes I know that it's plain to see
We're so in love when we're together
And I know that I need you here with me
From tonight until the end of time
You should know, everywhere I go
Always on my mind, in my heart, in my soul

 

Justin’s clear voice filled the glade with his expression of pure love for Brian.  His passion for Brian overwhelmed many of their guests, leaving them gasping with shock, delight, and more than a few happy tears flowed.  When Justin concluded his song Brian swept the younger man up into his arms for a passionate kiss, fanning the flames with promises for so much more when they were alone.  The boys led their family back to the conjoined cottages when they finally came up for air.

 

The next bit of drama had the potential of becoming a disaster if it weren’t for the quick thinking and intervention of John, Bobby, and Alex aka the Silver Fox. 

 

Debbie and Carl were sitting in the living room of Brian and Justin’s side of the cottage.  They had come in for a bit of quiet, a momentary respite and then out again to rejoin the family.  Debbie thought it a good idea to talk over her plan to have Peter live with her and Carl.  She had already discussed it with Mrs. Bain who was doing the honor of securing Mr. Chang’s permission.  There was all sorts of legal garbage that had to be done, most of which was beyond Debbie’s comprehension.  Debbie was under the impression that all Mr. Chang seemed to care about was that he could still go wherever his work took him and not worry about his son.  All he had to do was sign a few papers and send a check now and then for Peter’s expenses.  He thought it an even better idea when he learned that Carl was a retired cop.  Mr. Chang figured that Carl could keep Peter out of any real trouble and if not, have child services take him away.

 

Carl wasn’t totally convinced that having a complete stranger living in their new home was such a great idea.  They themselves hadn’t been living there a whole year yet and now his privacy and retirement were going to be invaded by a fifteen year old troubled young man.  Having Peter as a permanent guest was a far cry from an afternoon visit.  Their “discussion” was getting louder and was beginning to take up the entire cottage as Debbie got up in a huff and began stomping toward the sun porch.  It would have blown up into an out and out fight if John, Bobby, and Alex hadn’t stepped in when they did.

 

The three men not only defused the situation but within a span of a few minutes came up with a plan that satisfied both Debbie and Carl.  Peter would move into the thatched cottage as soon as possible.  Debbie and Carl would become his guardians; Bobby volunteered to handle the legalities.  Peter would then join an internship program so that he could work with Anderson Construction after school and on Saturdays, school work permitting.  He would also spend part of the summer interning for John.  When Alex and Glen moved in, they would provide backup help.  Alex hadn’t met Peter but from what he heard, Debbie and Carl might need all the help they could get.  And Alex and Glen had a lot of experience with troubled young men.  There were still a few details to be worked out but both Carl and Debbie were agreeable with the plans.  They both put on their happy faces then went outside to join the celebration with Bobby trailing behind them to reinforce the truce.

 

“Are you still sure you want to move out here?” John asked Alex as they stood in the porch watching.  “You mentioned that you and your partner take the summer off to recharge.  You might not get a lot of recharging time this summer.” 

 

Alex snorted.  “Yes, well, we both enjoy a challenge,” he snarked.

 

“And you didn’t get enough of a challenge with my brother?” John teased.

 

“I once told your brother that he was one of the most well-adjusted and high functioning bastards I knew,” Alex confided. 

 

John laughed.  “And what did Brian say to that?”

 

“He thanked me.”

 

“He is a polite bastard.”

 

“That, he is.  I did ask him what his secret was.”

 

“Did he tell you?  I’d be interested in knowing his secret, if it doesn’t go against doctor patient confidentiality.”

 

“Not at all.  He wasn’t my patient at the time.  He informed me that his secret was, one, a series of hopeless addictions and two, never seeing a shrink.” 

 

John laughed louder.  “Sounds like Brian,” he commented.  They were quiet for a moment when John stated, “You may need Brian’s help with Peter.  He has that same hurt and defiant look in his eyes that I saw in Brian’s eyes when I first met him.  Brian likes to play the tough guy but he is very human.  Sometimes more human than most humans I know.  He feels deeply.”  John gave Alex a poignant look.

 

“I agree.  And that’s not the doctor talking, it’s the friend.  Brian’s done a lot of good in this world and for the only reason because it’s the right thing to do.”  Alex paused.  “His family is very important to him,” Alex said returning the look.

 

“He’s important to me; he saved me.  As much as Brian may think we saved him and I’m sure in part we did.  He did just as much for me and my mother.  Brian is a good man, I love him dearly as a brother and as my best friend.  As for Peter, I have a feeling Brian will stick his nose in if he feels it’s needed.”

 

“I’m sure he will,” Alex agreed.

 

“For now, we better get out there,” John stated as he opened the screen door allowing Alex to go out first into the blooming garden.

 

The rest of the day finished out without a hitch, so to speak.  Emmett’s minions attended to the guests and nothing occurred to mar the happy couple’s day.  Michael pouted for a while, and grumbled something about that he and Ben were still married the longest.  For some reason Michael regarded Brian’s marriage as a personal insult.  However, Ben put his foot down, preventing any further display of childish behavior.

 

The day was beautiful, Brian and Justin beamed with happiness, and their entire family enjoyed their time with the boys and with each other on the lane.  

 

*****

 

Brian heard a noise behind him and turned.  Justin stood against one of the pillars freshly showered and wrapped in his fluffy robe.  His face was flushed from the shower and his hair slicked back.  He looked so sweet and innocent just like that boy Brian met under the street lamp twenty-five years ago.  Justin felt his face growing hotter under Brian’s intense gaze.  Brian dropped his robe then slowly stalked his way to where Justin was standing.  Justin felt his heart begin to race, pounding heavily in his chest.  Justin felt other parts of him begin to respond as well.  Brian never failed to bring about that reaction.  Brian stepped in close with a confident arrogant leer on his face.  Justin leaned back, taking strength from the pillar.  Mischievous blue eyes looked up into the sparkling hazel eyes with one arched eyebrow and waited for the inevitable.

 

 “So are you coming or going?  Or coming then going?  Or coming and staying?”        

 

Justin smiled then dropped his robe.

 

-The End- 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1726