We’re Still Having Fun by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

People on the lane try to get back to a normal life while Craig Taylor is still there.


Story #73 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 23388 Read: 2126 Published: Dec 28, 2021 Updated: Dec 28, 2021

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine




We’re Still Having Fun

Chapter 1




Monday July 7, 2025


“So, Mother, did you enjoy the weekend on the lane?” Sharon asked her mother, the Sarah Kingsley.  Sharon and Sarah, along with Owen Sr. were lounging in the back of a spacious limousine.  Normally Owen Sr. would have driven them in his own car; however, for this trip to the lane, Sarah insisted on hiring a car with a driver at her beck and call.


After much debate, the boys decided to uphold tradition and throw their usual July 4th family barbeque.  The lane was already overrun by close family and cottage owners showing support and solidarity for their boys.  The family would not allow Brian and Justin nor John and Gus by virtue of their resemblance to Brian, to be abused by Craig.  So the boys figured they might as well turn the crowd into a party.  Bree returned from soccer camp and Craig appeared to be in much better spirits. 


“Of course, I did, dear.  The accommodations are quite comfortable and having Parker with me this time was such a convenience,” Sarah remarked as she looked out the car window.  Said Parker was sitting up front with the driver.


“Only your mother would bring her own personal maid to a barbeque,” Owen Sr. whispered into his wife’s ear.  Sharon gave her naughty husband a pinch as she cleared her throat.


“Taylor and Briana are growing up so quickly,” Sharon said as she observed the children waving one last time at the large car.  Sharon pressed the button for the window to roll down; Sharon and Owen waved back. 


“Children often do, dear,” Sarah stated the obvious.


“Mother, the children are waving.”  The car was nearly at Emmett’s cottage when Sarah’s hand made a brief appearance out of the window to give a royal wave.  They were just about through the gate when Sarah began her inquisition.


“Would someone explain to me why our hosts made a most brief appearance at their own soirée?  I did see quite a lot of dear Robert but very little of anyone else!  He’s an excellent attorney, by the way.  I have him handling all of my charitable contributions.”  Then Sarah said by way of an endorsement, “Owen, I highly recommend him.”


“Yes, Mother,” Owen dutifully replied.


“Oh, and dear sweet Patrick.  He does so take after the Kinney side of the family except for that shockingly red hair of course.”


“Of course,” Owen and Sharon repeated.


“But I did not spend enough time with Justin.  The Pittsburgh Art Society is hosting a dinner for several modern artists this year.  How could I ever hold up my head in society again if I cannot guarantee Justin Taylor’s presence at the dinner?  He’s family!  When I did see him he was in a perpetual state of the giggles.  So unbecoming to a young man of his considerable talents.  I actually caught him sneaking into his own sun porch.”


“What do you mean sneaking into the sun porch?” Sharon asked trying to hide a snicker.


“I caught him tiptoeing into the porch and Brian wasn’t too far behind him,” Sarah stated with annoyance.  “Honestly, Justin sneaking into his own porch?  He looked around then made this little “eep” noise then quickly backed out the way he came.  I swear he almost smashed right into Brian.  Then they both looked around, got all wide eyed then high-tailed it out of there.  If I didn’t know any better I could have sworn they were doing some sort of Three Stooges routine.”


“Mother!” Sharon gasped at the thought of her mother knowing about the classic slapstick comedians. 


Owen could no longer contain himself, he burst out laughing.  “Sarah, I always knew there was a bit of the devil in you,” Owen said as he winked at his mother-in-law.


“Owen!” Sharon shouted.


Sarah ignored them as she continued.  “And then there was all this humming going on.”  Sarah made a face as she said the word humming.


“Humming?  What sort of humming?” Owen asked.


“Well, I don’t know.  I pay little attention to modern music.  It’s all just noise.  It did sound somewhat familiar.  I ought to have known it but I’m not up on the latest trends.  I did ask several people but I only received vague replies.  I was beginning to sense a conspiracy.  That loud red headed woman said something about a mission but she was interrupted when that odious man hobbled into the gardens.  Owen?”


“Yes, Mother.”


“Why does that man look familiar?”


“What man, Mother?” Owen replied.  He knew quite well which man his mother-in-law was referring to but he just couldn’t help himself.


“That man who entered the gardens wearing a, I believe it’s called a track suit.  You don’t own any such garments, do you, Owen?”


“Of course not, Mother,” Owen replied as he crossed two fingers on one hand behind his back.  Sarah narrowed her eyes at her son-in law.  He actually owned several of them but he would never dare wear them in Sarah’s presence.  “I believe the man you’re referring to is Craig Taylor.”


“Oh yes,” Sarah said with obvious disdain in her voice.  “Isn’t he a member of our club?”


“Yes, Mother,” Owen replied.


“Can’t we do something about that?” Sarah said giving Owen a poignant look.


“I suppose we could, Mother, we are on the membership committee,” Owen mentioned nonchalantly.  Sarah appeared to be mollified.  “However, how would that look?”


“Explain, dear,” Sarah pushed.


“I have it on good authority that Justin is trying to rebuild a better relationship with his father if not for himself but for Briana.  If it somehow got back to Craig that he was banned from the club…”


“Yes, yes, yes.  I see your point,” Sarah conceded.  “This is all very vexing!” Sarah snarled.


Owen and Sharon exchanged a look; apparently Sarah was now entering her Lady Catherine de Bourgh phase of the conversation.


“Susan Taylor is a very sweet woman,” Sharon ventured after a few minutes of tense silence.  “She’s been very helpful in organizing many of our club functions.”


“True,” Sarah admitted with a sigh.  “Oh very well,” Sarah said as she waved her hands in the air effectively ending the conversation.  She took out a small travel pillow from her bag to wrap around her neck then leaned back and shut her eyes.  After ten minutes soft snores could be heard from Sarah’s corner of the limo.


Sharon snuggled into Owen’s arms, relaxing for the trip back to the city.  Just before she dozed off she managed to ask Owen about the “humming.”


“Honey, you know I did hear Brian humming something as I passed him near the greenhouse.  I did think it was a little strange at the time that he was carrying a couple of plates of food into the greenhouse but I didn’t want to ask.  I do hope the boys will be all right,” Sharon said with concern.


“They’ll be fine,” her husband assured her.  “I had a chance to speak to Glen, Craig is improving and the boys are coping by turning the whole situation into a game.”


“Still it’s so unfair; they’re like prisoners in their own home.”


“No, sweetheart, they can leave anytime they wish.  John does, he has a business to run.  Brian has the luxury of supervising Kinnetik from home and Justin paints in the porch.  You know that.”


“I know Mother can be difficult at times but…”


“Sarah Kingsley is a saint compared to Craig Taylor.  Enough about him, let’s sit back and enjoy the ride home,” Owen suggested.  Sharon leaned back into his arms to do just that until a thought came to her and she sat up.


“Do you know what the boys were humming?” Sharon asked as she looked up at her husband.  Owen nodded.


“Well?” she asked.  He mumbled something into Sharon’s ear.  “You’re kidding me?”  Owen shook his head no.  Sharon snorted out a loud giggle then quickly lowered her voice when Sarah mumbled something in her sleep.  Sharon snuggled back into her husband’s arms for the ride home.


 


*****


 


John and Peter arrived on the lane just about the same time as Bobby and Patrick.  Patrick bounded out of the car still dressed in his baseball uniform and wearing an ear to ear grin.  He had pitched a no hitter and was understandably very proud of himself.  Bobby was just as proud. 


“You pick the dinner menu tonight,” Bobby said.  “Anything you want, even if we have to drive into Harrisburg.”


“Thanks, Poppa,” Patrick gave his red-headed father a hug.  “There is that seafood restaurant we go to sometimes.”


“I know the one.  I’ll tell your Dad.”


“Wait, can we go this weekend and ask the uncles and Bree?”


“Sure we can, but what about tonight?”


“Do you think we can get Uncle Bri to fire up the small grill to cook his famous burgers?” Patrick said with a grin.


“The ones with his secret ingredients that he won’t tell anyone about?” Bobby replied with a sly grin.


“Yeah,” Patrick laughed.


“I think that can be arranged.  I’ll go talk to Brian.  You go tell your father all about the game,” Bobby said as he grabbed his son one more time to ruffle the mop of red hair that was so like his own.


“Poppa!” Patrick laughed as he tried to escape.  “Dad, help!”  Bobby took pity on the boy and released him then he went to find Brian.  John wasn’t much help as he laughed.  He and Peter were unloading the Navigator, placing extra supplies in John’s shed.  Patrick lent a hand as he told his father all about the game.


“Peter, do you want to stay for dinner if it's okay with Debbie and Carl?” Patrick asked.  Peter was still shocked to be included.  He thought Patrick was just being polite.  “I know it’s just hamburgers but you gotta admit, Uncle Bri does make a mean hamburger.  Saturday’s dinner will be special.”


“You want me to come with you on Saturday too?”  Peter couldn’t believe his ears.


“Sure, why not.  I know you like baseball.  We gotta stick together or else Bree will take over,” Patrick winked as he teased.


“Be nice,” John warned but not too severely.  It was true, when Bree got started on soccer, it was difficult to steer her off.


“Come on, Dad, you know Bree and soccer,” Patrick whined as he stuck a finger in his ear and made a face.  Peter grinned.


“I know but just be…”


“Be nice.  I’m always nice,” Patrick said, sounding a lot like Brian.  John just shook his head.


With the shed all packed, Peter decided to go ask Debbie and Carl in person for permission to stay to dinner.  Patrick needed a shower.  They all went their separate ways until dinnertime.


 


*****


 


Having walked down the lane, Peter entered the thatched cottage.  He hesitated in the doorway.  He could see Debbie sitting at the small kitchen table reading something.  She looked up when she heard the door close behind him.  A warm smile graced her face.


"Hey, kiddo," she said, waving him over to the table.  "How was your day?"


Peter thought about it for a minute before replying.  Debbie actually seemed to care about him having a good day.  His father never had been interested enough to ask.  "It was okay.  John and I checked on some projects his crews are working on."


"That's good.  Are you bored yet?" she asked with a grin.


"Bored?" Peter repeated .  He was surprised by her question.


"I like John Anderson a lot, but he's not the most fun person I've ever met."


Peter chuckled.  He had come to that conclusion himself.  "I like John a lot too.  He's been great with me, but..."  He hesitated to say what he was really thinking.


"But what...?  Talk to me," Debbie demanded.


Peter shook his head.  This 'talking' business was so new to him.  He was used to keeping all his thoughts and feelings to himself.  "Do I have to?" he asked with a crooked grin.


"You know I never give the fuck up," Debbie reminded him.


"Yeah, I know.  I guess I might as well just talk."


"About time you reached that conclusion."  She reached across the table and gave his hand a squeeze.  He didn't jump and pull his hand away as he had so many times when he first moved in with Debbie and Carl.  "You've made real progress, Peter.  Never forget that."


"You won't let me."  He gave her an appreciative grin.


"You bet your ass I won't."


Peter chuckled.  "You know I don't ever remember laughing with my father.  I have so much to learn."


"And you're learning it... bit by bit every day."


"How can you be so sure?"


"We're having a civilized conversation, aren't we?"


"Yeah," Peter admitted with a smile.  He decided to tell her what had just happened.  "Patrick invited me to come to a celebration barbeque for dinner.  He pitched a no-hitter today."


"Accomplished little fucker, isn't he," she said nodding her head in approval.


"I wish..."


"What?"


"It doesn't matter," Peter said with a sigh.


"It does matter and I think I know what you were going to say."


"You think you know, huh?"


"I do," Debbie said with a smile.


"So tell me."


"You wish you were good at something like Patrick is at baseball."  Peter's mouth dropped open.  She had nailed it in one try.  "Told ya," Debbie teased.


"No wonder I think I'm in the twilight zone here.  You are spooky."


"Twilight zone, huh?  What do you know about the twilight zone?" Debbie asked with a frown creasing her brow.  Peter was too young to know anything about the old TV show called The Twilight Zone.


"I spent a lot of time by myself for most of my life.  I watched this old TV show on one of the weird stations we could get.  It was in black and white, and sometimes it was really scary."


"Yeah, it was," Debbie agreed.


"You've seen it?"


"Hell, I was around when it first came out."


"How old are you?" Peter asked with big eyes.


"Old enough to give you a smack upside the head, if you start in about my age."


"I wouldn't dream of it," Peter said with mock contrition.


"Good."


Peter thought for a minute then decided that he should apologize.  "I didn't mean to upset you, Debbie.  I shouldn't have mentioned your age."


"I was teasing you, Peter.  Relax.  Everybody knows I'm older than dirt," Debbie cackled.


Peter burst out laughing too, partly in relief, but also at Debbie's choice of words.  Then his face sobered.  "See, I can't even tell when people are serious or teasing.  I can't do anything right."


"Oh, pssst!" Debbie reacted.  "I'm just really good at pretending to be fucking offended.  You wouldn't believe all the things that has got me over the years, especially from Carl."


Peter stared at her for a moment, then shook his head and chuckled.  Nobody could keep him off kilter like Debbie could.  Well, that wasn't exactly true.  Everybody could keep him off kilter.  He never seemed to know where he stood with people.


"Maybe I shouldn't go to that barbeque tonight," Peter said uncertainly.


"Why the fuck not?" Debbie demanded.


"I ... I don't fit in."


"And how the fuck do you think you're going to fit in, if you never participate?"


"I..."  Peter really didn't know how to answer that.


"You're going, and you're going to have a good time!"


"You don't know that."


"I most certainly do."


"But..."


"I know all the people who live on this lane, and they're all good people.  And believe it or not, you're a good person too, Peter Chang.  So, you're going to that barbeque and you're going to have a good time, and everyone's going to make sure you do ... or ... I'll break their faces."


"Yes, sir!" Peter said with a salute and an enigmatic grin.


"Hey, I'm not sir, you little asshole.  Call me madam."


"But of course, madam," Peter joked.


Debbie smiled.  "That's good, Peter.  You can joke and have fun like everybody else.  Try to relax and enjoy yourself."


"Easy for you to say."


"And it will get easier for you too as time goes on."


"Is that a guarantee?"


"You bet it is, kiddo."


"I'm glad you're so sure."


"I am," Debbie said sincerely.  "Have faith."


"I'll try."


Debbie sighed.  It was no easy task getting Peter to have faith in himself.  "Go have a shower and get ready to go."


As Peter headed for the shower Carl came in from the patio.


"You heard?" Debbie asked.  Carl nodded.  "Do you think I got the fuck through to him?"


Carl shrugged.  "It's difficult to tell with that lad.  He's made a lot of progress since he's been with us, but there's still quite a way to go."


"I know," Debbie said shaking her head slowly.  "Some of the time I wonder if we can really help Peter."


"And the rest of the time?"


"I want to throttle that fucking father of his.  He sure did a number on his son."


"I'll help you throttle him and then I'll kick him in the balls," Carl declared.  "Incompetent and harmful fathers like that should be put in jail."


"If only we could have done that before he screwed up his son."


"He should have never had a child."


"Yeah, but we don't have retroactive birth control ... unfortunately."


"Then we wouldn't have Peter at all, and I've kind of grown to like the kid," Carl said.


"In spite of yourself," Debbie chuckled.


Carl smiled.  "In spite of my misgivings," he admitted.  "All we can do now is our best to help him," Carl said trying to be philosophical about what they might be able to accomplish with the young man.


Debbie nodded.  "I guess I better rustle up something for our dinner, since we weren't invited to this special barbeque."


"How could they leave an entertaining and witty couple like us out of the mix?" Carl joked.


"Fuck if I know," Debbie responded as she hustled into the kitchen.


It wasn't long before Peter came down the stairs.  He had changed his clothes and looked quite handsome in crisp, clean jeans and a polo shirt.


"Looking good, kiddo," Debbie said when she saw him.


"You think I look okay?"


"Better than okay," Carl threw out.


"Are you coming on to me?" Peter asked with a shy grin.


Carl roared with laughter, and Debbie wasn't far behind.


"I better get going," Peter said.  He headed for the door.


"Relax and enjoy yourself," Debbie called out to him before he closed the door behind him.


"He'll be fine," Carl told her.


"Did you hear him make that joke about you coming on to him?" Debbie asked.  "That's the first time he's ever said anything like that."


"I told you we were making progress," Carl reminded her.


"Yeah, but he better keep his hands off my man."


The two laughed until they could barely stand up.


Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

We’re Still Having Fun


 


Chapter 2


 


 


 


Peter had several days off.  John and Gordon had flown to New York City for a few days to consult and perhaps woo a few new clients.  Patrick was in between games but some of his baseball team buddies liked to hang out on the lane where they could practice and then take a dip in the stream when it got too hot.  Even with the “Meadow Cottage” there was still plenty of wide open space for a makeshift baseball diamond.  And Bobby made sure there was enough good quality equipment to go around.


Brian and Justin drove Gus, Ray, and Bree into Pittsburgh.  The three youngest members of the Kinnetik dynasty were holding a series of joint meetings with their clients.  Molly and “Nina” had a wonderful time picking clothes out of Bree’s closet to create new outfits appropriate for Bree in businesswoman mode.


Brian, Justin, and Bree were planning to stay at the Plaza while Gus and Ray would stay at the loft.


“What’s up, Honey?” Debbie asked Peter.  Peter was sitting in an over-stuffed chair that was in a sunny corner in the living room of the thatched cottage.  The chair faced the lane so he had watched several carloads of boys driven up by parents and then empty cars driven past a few minutes later.


He shrugged his shoulders at Debbie’s question.


“You do know you can join them.”  Peter shrugged again.  “Why not?”


“I don’t know much about playing baseball,” he mumbled.  “I like watching but…”


“I bet Patrick would teach you,” Debbie said.  As she did, Peter slightly turned away and then she noticed his ears turning pink.  “Huh,” Deb murmured.  Debbie walked away to find her husband who was doing a little yardwork.


“Looking good, my hunk-o-man,” she said as she gave Carl a loud kiss to this cheek.  He laughed and kissed her back.


“What’s up, Babe?”


“I’m going to give Claire a call.  She told me that there’s a nice PFLAG chapter in Bridgeton.  I think Peter needs to be around some of his own kind, if you know what I mean.”  Debbie rolled her eyes as she made a face.


“Do you know how weird that sounds?  We’re living on the gayest plot of land in Pennsylvania and the poor kid has to travel an hour to be with his own kind?” Carl remarked.


“I know but I think he’s developing a crush on Patrick.”


“Patrick’s straight, right?” Carl asked.


“Very.  There is Gus and Ray but they’re not teenagers.  Besides when they’re not working, they’re…”


“TMI!” Carl said, holding up his hand to ward off any graphic explanations.  “I get enough of that from Brian and Justin.  Sheesh.  You figured they’d be worn out by now,” Carl said as he shook his head.  Debbie just cackled.


“Never enough,” she said, quoting Brian.  “With John and Gordon away, Peter’s getting a little bored.  Having him spend a few afternoons at PFLAG is a good thing.”


“You’re right, it is.  You want me to drive you?  When you call Claire, find out if Steve is free.  You ladies can go to the center with Peter and I can keep Steve company.”


“Good idea.  You go wash up and I’ll make the call.”


Within thirty minutes Debbie, Carl and Peter were heading out of the gate and towards Bridgeton.


 


*****


 


Glen had just finished his therapy session with Craig.  Craig was making good progress.  Both Glen and Alex were anticipating that Craig would be off the lane by the end of July barring any setbacks.  They had narrowly avoided one.  Craig decided that sitting in his special chair made him feel like a baby in a highchair so he tried sitting in a regular chair and nearly dislocated his new hip.  Between Glen’s massage therapy and some excellent prescriptions written by Dr. Alex, Craig made up any ground he might have lost.


He also learned a valuable lesson.  Use the chair!


“Good morning,” Seth cheerfully greeted Craig when the two men met in the kitchen.  Seth had come in from the garden holding two empty pitchers.  He was about to refill one with ice water and the other with iced tea to take back outside.


Craig mumbled something as he too was looking for something cool to drink.  Therapy was thirsty business.


“I see your wife has you trained well,” Craig teased with a touch of sarcasm as he took a sip of water then held the glass to his forehead.   


“Your wife too,” Seth winked and chuckled then he left the kitchen with his burdens, leaving a confused Craig Taylor behind him.


“What are you talking about?” Craig asked but it was too late.  Seth was gone.  Craig finished his water then as quickly as he could followed Seth to the backyard of the B&B where he found his current wife and his ex-wife sunbathing.


“All done for today?” Susan asked from a shaded lounge chair.  She was wearing an attractive one piece bathing suit that accentuated her youthful figure.


Jennifer too, was in a bathing suit; Craig had forgotten just how beautiful Jennifer was.  You’d never guess that Jennifer was the mother of a forty-something year old artist.  Or the grandmother to two very precocious children.  Craig couldn’t help but stare at both ladies until he felt himself grow uncomfortably warm.  Without a word, Craig turned and went back inside.  Seth followed.


“Are you all right?” Seth asked with sincere concern.


“Yeah, just a little too warm out there right after my workout, you know?”


“I can imagine,” Seth agreed.


“Glen mentioned something about coming back around four to show me how to use a few of the light weights.  I think I better go rest a while.”


“Sounds like a good idea,” Seth said as he watched Craig slowly and carefully walk into his room.


“Is he all right?” Jennifer asked Seth when he returned to the yard.


“Yes, he went back to your suite,” Seth said, looking at Susan.  “I think the sight of you two fine ladies was a little too much for Craig but he wouldn’t admit it.  He did say that Glen’s coming back later this afternoon to show him how to work with light weights.  I think that’s an excellent sign that Craig is making progress.”


“I think you’re right,” Jenn said as she snuggled back down in her lounger.  It was very warm in the sun but her delicate skin was protected with sunscreen and by a wide umbrella.  Fortunately there was a cool breeze that came off the stream through the trees and through their yard.


“Do you think I should go to him?” Susan asked.


“I think you should stay right where you are and enjoy yourself,” Seth suggested.


“Me too,” Jennifer chimed in.


“Okay,” Susan said as she made herself comfortable.


Seth followed the ladies’ example; soon all that was heard was the rustling of the leaves, birds, and the occasion bee transporting its bundle of pollen.


 


*****


 


“What is he doing?” Michael grumbled.  He was sitting out on the front deck of their cabin.  It was well shaded and cool and he had a good view of the lane.  Glen would come flying past, screech to a halt, do a 180 then speed off again.


“What is who doing?” Ben asked.


“That Glen person.”


“That Glen person?” Ben repeated.  “Michael, Glen’s a good guy, what’s your problem with him?”


“What’s my problem with him?”


“Is there an echo out here?” Ben asked as he pulled his recalcitrant spouse out of his chair and into his muscled arms.  “Are you jealous of Glen?”


Ben felt a slight nod into his chest.


“Michael, first, above all I love you.  I have from the moment we met.  Do you believe me?” Ben asked as he looked into Michael’s eyes.  Michael nodded again.  “Good.  Now a few facts about Glen Wilder.  If you haven’t noticed, Glen and Alex are seriously devoted to each other and they have been since they met in college.  They married as soon as it was legal and Glen chose to take Alex’s name.  Glen loves to joke around and push everyone’s buttons including Alex’s, but he’s never cheated. 


“We talk, Michael.  He’s an interesting man and with his insights and knowledge, I feel better after talking to him.  He likes looking at men, he even likes looking at women.  He’s an athlete, and a physical therapist, the human form holds a certain fascination for him.  And he loves to tease Alex, who by the way can give just as good as he gets.  But Glen once told me that even the thought of being with someone other than Alex is a total turn off for him.  He’s a one man, man, Michael.  Just like I am.”


They kissed and then decided to continue their “discussion” in their bedroom.


 


***** 


 


Emmett walked up the lane carrying a basket of his popovers.  He felt a bit like Little Red Riding Hood carrying his basket into the dangerous woods known on the lane as the B&B since Craig Big Bad Wolf Taylor had moved in.  He tapped gently on the door.


It was quickly opened by Susan.  "Hi," she said with a tired smile.


"Hello, hello, hello," Emmett said pasting on his best and most ingratiating grin.  "Is his royal nastiness at home?" he asked peering over her shoulder.  "I brought some treats."


Susan grimaced.  She was only too well aware of what most people thought of her husband.  She drew in a breath and said, "If you mean Craig, he's in the bedroom working with Glen."


"That was who I meant, but since I brought popovers, I guess you might have thought I meant Brian."


"Where is Brian?" Susan asked with a frown.  "We haven't seen anything of him or Justin.  Are they making themselves scarce?"


"That would be an emphatic yes.  Everyone thought that discretion would be the better part of valor.  They've all gone into Pittsburgh to take care of some business."


"I hate that they feel they have to leave their home to avoid my obstinate husband."


"They aren't exactly thrilled about it either, but they want Craig to get well."


"And leave the lane."


"Yes, that's probably their most fervent wish."


Susan shook her head.  Sometimes she wondered what kept her married to someone who was so disliked by his own family.  But she knew another Craig who was quite different when he wasn't around Brian Kinney and his son, Justin.  He was much different when he was with Bree or Taylor.  He was much different when there was just the two of them ... alone in their condo.


"Are you going to invite me in?" Emmett asked.  "Or should I just drop the basket and run?"


Susan chuckled.  "Sorry," she said.  "Come on in, Emmett."


As Emmett entered the B&B, he saw Jennifer, Seth and Alex having coffee at the counter that separated the kitchen space.


"Do I smell popovers?" Seth asked with a hopeful look on his face.


"You certainly do," Emmett replied.  "A batch of my very best."


"Every batch you make is excellent," Jennifer said with a smile.


"I want some of these popovers," Alex chimed in.  "I've heard about them.  They're Brian's favorites, aren't they?"


"One of the few things, other than Justin, that makes him weak at the knees," Emmett said with his toothy grin.


"I can't believe anything makes Brian Kinney weak at the knees," Alex said just before he popped a piece of buttery popover into his mouth.  "Mmmmmm," he moaned in ecstasy, "except maybe these things."


"Told ya," Emmett laughed.


"These are amazing," Alex said.


"Thank you, kind sir," Emmett said with a little curtsey.


"Please join us," Jennifer said indicating an empty stool at the bar.


Emmett hesitated and looked toward the bedroom where Craig would be doing his exercise regimen.  "Maybe I should just go," Emmett said, not wanting to cause any problems if Craig should happen to appear.


"They haven't been at it very long, so I think it's safe for a while," Alex said.


"Okay, maybe for a few minutes," Emmett agreed as he took a seat at the counter.


Jennifer poured him a cup of coffee and he took one of the popovers to go with it.  "I'd love the recipe for those things," Jennifer told him.


"I could give it to you, but then I'd have to kill you," Emmett joked.  "Seriously though, they are the staple of my restaurant so I don't give out the recipe."


"Understood," Jenn said.


"Thank God," Seth blurted out.


"Hey!" Jennifer responded.  "You don't think I could make popovers as good as Emmett's?" she demanded with a scowl.


"Quite the opposite, my dear," Seth replied.  "If you got that recipe, I'd weigh three hundred pounds by the end of the year."  He shoved the remaining piece of his popover into his mouth.


Everyone laughed at his exaggeration, but they could all attest that a steady diet of Emmett's popovers would add pounds to all of them.


"These are truly sinful," Alex said as he finished his popover.


"Please, sin some more," Emmett stated with a grin as he passed around the basket one more time.


"Should we save one for Craig?" Susan asked when she and Jennifer turned down another popover.  "I have to watch my figure."


"Me too," Jenn agreed.  "It would be a nice treat for Craig following his therapy.  I think he deserves at least one."  She looked at Emmett for his approval.


"I guess he could have one," Emmett said.  "They say you should leave them wanting more, so only one," he added with an evil grin.


As they all chuckled, Susan wrapped one popover in a paper napkin.  The men finished off most of the rest of the popovers.


"I think I'm in popover heaven," Alex said.  "I better save a couple of these for Glen or he'll kill me."


"You don't have to tell him about the popovers," Jennifer said with a wicked smile.


"We don't keep secrets from each other," Alex said seriously.


"Not even teensy, weensy secrets?" Emmett asked his eyes sparkling with mischief.  "Like secrets about extraordinarily delicious popovers."


"Not even about extraordinarily delicious popovers," Alex laughed.  He wrapped two popovers in a paper napkin as Susan had done.  He eyed the empty basket with longing.


"I'll make another batch later this week," Emmett promised.


"That would be phenomenal," Seth gushed.  "I can hardly wait."


"I wonder what Craig will think of them?" Susan asked.


"Don't tell him a homo made them and he'll probably think they're wonderful," Emmett said with an edge of sarcasm in his voice.  "I should probably get going," he said standing up and glancing toward the door behind which was the notorious patient.


Just then the bedroom door opened and Craig Taylor came out walking without a cane.  "Look at me, everybody," Craig said proudly taking a few steps into the room.  There was stunned silence.


"Craig, this is wonderful," Susan said rushing to his side.


"I think that's enough, Craig," Glen said as he wheeled into the room behind his patient.  He had Craig’s cane across his lap.


"I can do more," Craig declared taking a few more steps.


"I told you just a few steps were enough for today.  You've had a long workout."


"I can do..."  Before Craig could continue he started to wobble and lean to one side.  Susan quickly put her arm around his waist to steady him.


"Give him the cane," Glen ordered shoving the cane toward Craig and Susan.


Susan quickly placed it in Craig’s hand.  He leaned heavily on it.


"Get him to a chair," Glen commanded.  "He tired himself out in there, but he wanted to show you all the progress he's making.  He just overdid it, because he's one stubborn son-of-a-bitch," Glen stated.


Craig glared at Glen in spite of the weary look on his pained face.


Emmett had grabbed the special hip chair and quickly brought it to Craig who sat heavily as soon as it was under his backside.  "Thanks," he said looking up at his benefactor.  "Do I know you?" he asked trying to decide who it was that had helped him.


"Emmett Honeycutt at your service," Emmett said brusquely.  "We've met on several occasions."


"You're one of those..."


"That's right, I am, and I was about to leave."


"That's good," Craig muttered.


"You don't have to rush off," Susan quickly said to Emmett.  "Emmett brought you a treat, dear."


The look on Craig's face told everyone that he wanted something from Emmett Honeycutt about as much as he wanted his eyebrows flamed off.


Emmett took in the look and responded with a withering glance of his own.  "I'm glad you all enjoyed my little present," Emmett stated grabbing his now empty basket from the counter.  He headed towards the door.


A chorus of "Thank you's" and "Please bring some more" followed Emmett as he exited the B&B.


"That was plain rude," Susan told her husband, disapproving greatly of Craig's comments and demeanor toward Emmett.


"Me, rude, I wasn't rude," Craig protested.


"You know, Craig, the sad thing is that you probably don't even realize how rude you were," Jennifer said.  "But let me assure you that you were ... extremely rude."


Craig threw a look that would have been daggers flying in his ex-wife's direction, if he could have managed to do so.  "Where's this so-called treat?" he demanded.


"I'm not sure you deserve the so-called treat," Susan stated moving away from her husband.


"You sure don't know what side your bread is buttered on, do you?" Glen said.


"I don't have to beg, and I don't intend to," Craig retorted.


"I have a treat for you too," Alex said to his husband, waggling his eyebrows suggestively.


"You do?" Glen asked with a wide smile.  "I can hardly wait."  He quickly steered his wheelchair over to the counter where Alex was still sitting.  "What is it?"


"A yummy surprise," Alex told him.  He handed his partner the bundle covered by the paper napkin.


"Is it a muffin?" Glen asked as he unwrapped his prize and got the first glimpse of what the bundle contained.


"Popovers," most of the people in the room said at the same time.  Everyone chuckled.


Craig watched from his chair as Glen uncovered his two popovers.  "What the hell are popovers?" he demanded.


"It doesn't matter since you're not getting one," Jennifer said with her best smile.


"Fucking assholes," Craig muttered to everyone present.


Glen bit into his popover.  "Mmm, mmm, mmm," he moaned.  "These are beyond delicious.  And I have two."  He cast a knowing glance at Craig who was scowling at being left out.  "You don't know what you're missing, Craig.  This may be the best thing I've ever eaten."


"Where's mine?" Craig demanded.


"You don't have one," Susan reminded him.


"You said there was one for me when I first came out here."


"And I told you that you didn't deserve it after the way you treated Emmett.  They're his popovers."


"But I worked so hard at my therapy," Craig whined.


"I have to admit he did work hard," Glen said as he finished his first popover.


"If you promise to be nicer to Emmett the next time you see him, I might consider letting you have the popover that he left specifically for you," Susan said.  She waited to see what her stubborn husband would say.


"I guess I could be more pleasant ... next time," Craig grudgingly admitted.  He wasn't going to apologize for what he had said.


"Okay," Susan said, glad that she had at least gotten a bit of a concession from Craig.  "Here you go."  She took the popover that Jennifer handed to her and gave it to her husband.


Craig quickly uncovered the popover and took a bite.  Everyone watched to see what his reaction would be.  Craig's eyebrows shot up and he licked his lips as he swallowed the first bite.  He quickly devoured the rest of the popover.


"So was it worth the wait?" Susan asked.


"I have to admit that is one delicious piece of pastry," Craig admitted.  "But how come Glen got two and I only got one?"

 

The room was suddenly full of groans.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

We’re Still Having Fun


 


Chapter 3


 

The following day was a rest and recovery day for Craig.  He didn’t want to admit it but Craig was grateful that Glen hadn’t scheduled any therapy for the day and in fact he had specifically instructed Craig not to do anything more strenuous than walking.  So Craig donned a light t-shirt and sweat pants planning to slowly stroll down to the cottage with the white picket fence and then back to the B&B.  The operative word being slowly.  Besides, he had to walk off Emmett’s scrumptious popovers.


As Craig opened the front door of the B&B he was greeted by his daughter and grandson.


“Hi, Dad,” Molly said cheerfully, giving her father a peck to his cheek.


“Hi, Grandpa,” Taylor called out.  Taylor was all smiles and ready to take on the day.


“Hello, young man,” Craig replied.  “You’re out early.”


“Not really, we just waited for a decent time to come over.  Owen had to go into the city for a few hours so I thought I’d spend some time with you.  Are you going out?”


“Just going to take a slow walk down the lane.  Would you like to join me?” Craig asked.


“Sure,” Molly replied.  She hadn’t spent nearly enough time with her father and sometimes she really missed him.  “Taylor, do you want to take a walk with me and Grandpa or do you want to stay here with Grandma Jen and Grandma Susan?”


The young boy wasn’t sure what he wanted to do.  He knew his Grandpa wasn’t moving very fast and there were always good things to eat wherever his Grandmas were.  After careful deliberation Taylor decided to stay at the large cottage.  Molly went inside to briefly speak with the adults then joined her dad outside who was carefully about to make his way down the path to the road.


“Ready?” Molly asked her father.


“As I ever will be,” Craig replied.  With cane in hand, Craig stepped down the low curb to the road.  Very pleased with himself, Craig looked up to smile at Molly.  That’s when he noticed that another couple were walking toward the lane from the large log cabin on the opposite side of the lane. 


“We know those men,” Craig stated, trying to keep the homophobia out of his voice but not doing a very good job of it.


“Of course we do, I’ve known them since I was a kid.  Ben is a professor and Michael owns the comic book store on Liberty Avenue.  They also live here when they’re on vacation,” Molly said nonchalantly.


“That’s some cabin,” Craig had to admit from what little he could see of it.  From this angle, most of the cabin was hidden, blending into the tree line.


“Yes, it is.  John does great work.”


“John?”


“You know, John Anderson, Brian’s brother. He's an architect and builder.  He designed the cabin and his company built it.  Just like he built everything else on this lane except for the large house at the top but he did move it here.  Oh yeah, he also moved the cottage that’s attached to the sun porch.”  Molly quickly explained even though she knew her father must have known the history behind the lane.  Edna Treasure’s Lane had become almost as legendary as its inhabitants.


“Why didn’t I know this?” Craig asked.  They had almost made it to Emmett’s cottage.


“You were told but most likely you never paid attention.  Ben and Michael will gladly give you a tour of their cabin if you ask,” Molly said sweetly.


Craig grumbled and cursed under his breath which Molly ignored.


They made it to Emmett’s cottage and Craig was ready to turn around.  Just as he did Glen came racing up, his arms pumping madly as he steered his special racing wheelchair down the lane.  Glen did a 180 without saying a word kicking up gravel and pebbles then raced back up the lane.


“What the hell is he doing?” Craig murmured out loud as he flinched, although he was far away from the spray.  Molly just shrugged her shoulders.


Up the lane Michael and Ben were intent on walking toward the stream but got sidetracked by their front garden designed by Brian and now in full bloom.  As they got to the road Glen was racing up the lane.


“What the hell is he doing?” Michael grumbled.  Ben laughed as Alex came jogging up with Peter in tow.


“He’s in training,” Alex said as he sucked in some air.  “Jeez, it’s sickening how in shape he is,” Alex whined. 


Ben laughed even harder.  “You’re in good shape,” Ben observed.


“For a psychiatrist you mean,” Alex said.  “And I’m well aware of the differences between my shape, your shape and his shape,” Alex said as he punctuated his remark by cocking his head toward Ben and Glen.


By this time Craig and Molly had walked up to where they were standing.  They all watched Glen get to the house at the top of the lane then spin around and head back down.


“Is he nuts?” Craig asked.


“Most definitely but not quite certifiable.  And I should know,” Alex stated with amusement.  “He’s training,” Alex repeated for Craig and Molly’s benefit. “There’s another Paralympic event coming up soon that he’s entered along with a few of his friends.  They’re all very competitive as if you couldn’t tell.”


“Are all his friends, um, like him?” Peter asked hesitantly.  He still wasn’t sure how to properly address Glen’s differences.  Alex draped an arm over Peter’s shoulders and gave him an encouraging squeeze.


“Not all of them, but yes, the majority of his close friends are disabled.  And they’re all addicted to exercise and these crazy games,” Alex said with a laugh.


“Is he human?” Molly teased.


“Oh he’s human, all right,” Alex verified.  “All too human, and one who needs to take a water break!” 


The last few words came out as a shout as Glen whizzed by.  Glen skidded to a halt then turned to look at Alex.  Alex waved a bottle of water in the air.  Glen wheeled himself over, smiling sweetly at his spouse.  He reached out for the water and slowly sipped at it.


Alex touched Glen’s cheek.


“You’re hot.”


“Thank you.  You’re hot too,” Glen said as he flirted with Alex.


“Ass.  We have to get you out of this heat.  Let’s go across to the B&B, it's cooler in there,” Alex suggested. 


“Our cabin’s closer.”  Michael surprised everyone with his suggestion.  “Uh, it’s naturally cooler since it’s surrounded by trees but we do have air conditioning,” Michael tried to explain.  “And um, you never got the grand tour,” he said trying to be nice.  Ben beamed at him.


“Please come in,” Ben urged with a genuine smile.


Molly took Craig’s arm to lead the procession.  They were followed by Alex, Peter, and Glen with Ben and Michael bringing up the rear.


“I’m very proud of you,” Ben whispered into Michael’s ear.


“You are?” Michael asked looking up into Ben’s eyes.


“Yes, I am,” Ben assured his spouse.  Michael smiled back.  Their reverie was disturbed by the myriad of compliments and questions regarding the front garden design and the overall design of the cabin which Ben and Michael were very pleased to respond to.  Ben was especially proud when Michael took the time to speak to Peter when the boy discovered one of Justin’s little hidden paintings.


“This is amazing!” Glen crowed.  “Why didn’t we ask for a log cabin?”  Glen swirled around to confront his spouse.


“Yeah, right, because Daniel Boone, you are not.  We’re very pleased with our little cottage,” Alex stated.


“Yes, we are,” Glen sincerely agreed then stretched up for a kiss which he readily received.


“Must you do that?” they heard Craig grumble.


“Yes!” came back a loud reply by all including Molly.  Craig shut his mouth then continued the tour of the marvelous cabin.


 


***** 


 


“Wow, I still can’t believe your Dad let us stay here all by ourselves,” Ray said again for about the fiftieth time since they arrived in Pittsburgh for their meetings.


Gus and Ray had done a little grocery shopping since nothing edible was kept in the loft and neither one wanted to depend on Brian for their meals.  The boys were used to living on their own and paying their own way.


“We’re big boys, he knows we can handle it,” Gus said as he put the perishables into the refrigerator.


Little had changed in the loft since Brian first moved in.  The furniture was quality and kept in pristine condition.  As time marched on, Brian upgraded the appliances that remained, donating the older appliances whenever he could.  Brian’s loft maintained its timeless classic look.


“Besides, he wants us to live here one day,” Gus stated.


“I’m not ready to leave New York,” Ray began.  “And you’re not ready to live in your father’s shadow,” Ray quickly stated before Gus could protest.


“What the fuck does that mean?” Gus growled back. 


Ray allowed the moody posturing knowing how similar Gus was to his father.  Ray had seen Brian react in similar ways.


“It means that in New York you’re Gus Kinney adman, graphic artist, and web designer; same goes for Toronto and London, not Brian Kinney’s son who by the way just happens to also be an adman.  Do you understand?” 


Ray grabbed a shopping bag of supplies meant for the bathroom.  He left Gus in the kitchen to finish up and to give Gus time to think things through.  Ray knew it just took time for Gus to run it through his head; he’d eventually get it.


After several minutes Gus came into bedroom.  Ray was standing in the bathroom admiring the simple elegant design.  Gus slowly approached him then encircled Ray into his arms.


“I have to admit, I’d almost kill for a place like this,” Ray said.


“Yeah, we’d never be able to afford something like this in New York.”


“That’s assuming you could find something like this in New York,” Ray countered.


“True,” Gus agreed.  “I have a thought,” he began.


“Only one?” Ray teased.  That got Ray pinched, tickled, tackled, thrown onto the bed then thoroughly kissed.  “Okay, okay, I give up.  You know you’re a bully sometimes,” Ray said breathlessly when they came up for air.


“But you love me anyway?”


“You know I do.  So what was your thought?” Ray asked with a gleam in his eyes.


“I get it, about us, me, not being ready to move here right now but you do see us living here sometime in the future, don’t you?”


“Yes, I do,” Ray assured him.  “As silly as it seems, New York is not home base for Kinnetik.  It begins here.  Eventually Brian will retire, for real.  So will Cynthia and Ted but I think your dad will step back first.”


“And my mother,” Gus added. 


“Eventually.  But I think she likes what she’s doing too much to stop working.”


“Yeah, if I’m not careful Momma Mel may want a branch of her own,” Gus predicted.


“Would that be a bad thing?”


“Maybe not,” Gus said gently with a smile.  “She’s earned it.  She has absolutely no artistic sense but she’s smart.  I never appreciated how smart she really is until I grew up and watched her in action,” Gus said with admiration.  “Typical kid, huh?”


“Yup!” Ray agreed as he pecked Gus’ nose.  “Hey, we don’t have to make any decisions now but I promise when the time is right, I’d be honored to live here with you.  Was that your thought?”


“Partly.”


“What’s the other part?”


“This,” Gus said as he gestured toward the loft in general.  “I can’t see the loft looking any different.”  All of a sudden Gus became unsure, that was a lot to ask of Ray to not only uproot himself but to also not change what would eventually become his new home.  Maybe it was too much to ask.  Suddenly Gus felt Ray’s fingers lift up his chin.


“Look at me,” Ray insisted.  “Furniture doesn’t make a place a home, it’s the people who live in it that make the home.  When Brian Kinney lived here he made this place a legend now it’s just a beautiful loft.  When we’re ready, we’ll make our home and we’ll be the luckiest guys on the planet because look where we get to live!”  Ray smiled brightly as he gestured toward the loft.


“I love you,” Gus said as he drew Ray up into his arms.


“I love you too!” 


They clung to each other both contemplating a wild round of lovemaking when loud rumblings emanated from their stomachs.  That’s when Gus’ cell went off.


“Hey, Pop.  Yeah, we could eat,” Gus said shaking his head at his father’s impeccable timing.  Ray chuckled.  “What?  Babylon?  Aren’t you too o…  Whoa!  No!  Not the “o” word, never the “o” word.  Sure I think we can find something to wear.  What about Bree?  Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  What kind of food are you in the mood for?  I’m a little tired of the hotel food.  The diner?”  Gus looked at Ray who nodded in agreement.  “Sure.  Meet you there in thirty.  Bye, Pop!”


“So I guess we’re going to Babylon later?” Ray asked the obvious.


“Yeah,” Gus snorted out.  “Bree wants to go.”


“Bree?  Isn’t she too young?”


“Dear old Pop, pointed out that he owns the fucking place and he can do whatever the fuck he wants to do,” Gus said making quote marks in the air.


The boys kissed as they got up off the bed to rummage through their clothes looking for something suitable to wear.


“Yeah, but still, you know what goes on in places like this, no matter how careful your dad’s staff is,” Ray stated.


“I know.  He said he called JR and Jacqueline and Pop’s arranging a VIP box.  Bree will never be alone and there’s a private restroom that only we can access.”


“Wow, your dad thinks of everything,” Ray said, impressed.


“Yeah, that’s Brian fucking Kinney.”  Gus turned around with his arms out wide.  “How do I look?”  He was all in black and it fit him like a second skin.


“Hot!  Too hot.  I’m going to have to beat them off with a stick,” Ray teased.


“You’re not so bad yourself,” Gus said as he looked down his nose at his partner and smirked.  Gus didn’t know it but he looked just like his father in the bad old days when Brian and Justin were preparing to go to Babylon.


“What was that “o” word business?” Ray asked. 


Gus burst out laughing.  “Never say 'old' in reference to Brian Kinney,” was all that Gus would say.  Being a very smart and savvy young man, Ray immediately understood.


“Ah, message received and understood,” Ray stated.


The boys checked their pockets for all things essential then they were off.


 


*****


 


Later that night when it was time for Babylon, Brian had arranged for a chauffeured car to take them to the club just in case the adults wanted to enjoy themselves with beverages stronger than water.  He even arranged for a car for JR and Jacqueline since they agreed to help keep Bree entertained.  It was no real hardship on JR’s part since she was thrilled to spend time with the girl she considered her baby sister.  Jacqueline just kept shaking her head at how fast Brian could make things happen.  


As the time drew closer to leave, Brian became a little anxious, not that anyone except for Justin could tell.  A myriad of thoughts swam through his head including the “o” word.  Not that he looked a day over thirty-five, of course.  But this is Brian Kinney who once thought life ended at thirty.  It didn’t help matters that he also chose an all black outfit that fit his still slim stunning physique like a glove.  Brian couldn’t help it, it was an automatic thing.  And while Justin didn’t wear a t-shirt, he did wear his cargo pants.  Some things never changed.


Just before they left their suite Justin took Brian aside and locked them in the bathroom.  Brian arched a brow.


“It’s okay,” Justin said as looked up into worried hazel eyes.  Justin had a strong grip on Brian’s biceps.  “I would never lead you into a situation where you were made to look ridiculous.  I promise.”


Brian said nothing.  He searched the clear deep blue eyes before him, seeing only truth and confidence within their depths.  He nodded and seemed to gain strength from what he saw in Justin’s eyes.  Brian straightened to his full height and smirked.  Justin saw brief flashes of the Stud of Liberty behind that smirk and knew Brian would be all right.  


“Ready for Babylon, Sunshine?”


“Ready!”


The boys led their family to the club.


 


*****


 


The limousine deposited its precious cargo in front of Pittsburgh’s most infamous (in only the best sense) club.  Brian was pleased, the line was long and wrapped around the block.  The bouncers looked sharp with the latest communication technology in their ears aware of what was going on in and out of the club.  Brian spared no expense when it came to the safety of his patrons.


“Mr. Kinney, it’s all ready for you,” Bouncer A informed Brian who nodded.  Bouncer B spoke into his mic while opening the door.  Another bouncer, who happened to be female but just as formidable as her co-workers met them just inside.  Ms. Bouncer C led the party to the VIP lounge floor via private elevator.  She subtly leaned in to whisper into Brian’s ear.  He merely nodded his approval.


“I’m assigned to the VIP floor and at your disposal,” she said for the benefit of everyone else.  Gus and Ray were in awe.  Bree eyed the tall muscular woman suspiciously.  Justin rolled his eyes.


When they got to their private box JR and Jacqueline were already there plus a lovely buffet supplied by Emmett’s catering had been set up.  After the greetings were done and the special keycards given out, Gus and Ray made a beeline for the dance floor.  Since Gus was rarely in Pittsburgh, only a few guys recognized him.  Rarer still, there were one or two “old timers” that remembered Brian.  They took one look at Gus and had flashbacks of Brian Kinney and the backroom.


Gus and Ray ignored the looks and whispers, that is if they could hear above the music, and concentrated on each other.  They danced close, they danced fast, and they danced slowly.  They danced to the techno music.  At some point Justin shooed JR and Jacqueline onto the dance floor.  He, Brian and Bree had fun watching the girls dance in the middle of all the guys.


The music changed to the thumpa thumpa music that Brian and Justin “grew up” on.  Some of the younger men took that as a sign to hit the bar, some took it as a sign to hit the back room.  Some just kept on dancing.  The “old timers” stuck to the bar wishing they had the balls to be out there dancing.


The kids returned to the VIP box to recoup from their dancing.  They attacked the buffet and the bottles of water with gusto.


“Dada, don’t you know how to dance?” Bree sternly asked Brian who was sitting comfortably next to Justin on a sofa.


“Yes, ma’am,” Brian replied.


“And isn’t this your kind of music?” she went further with hands on hips.


“Yes, ma’am.”


“Well,” she stated with narrowed eyes zeroed onto her older father.  Brian cleared his throat as he stood.


“Sunshine, would you care to join me for a dance or two?” Brian held his hand out to Justin.


“I thought you’d never ask,” Justin said as he placed his hand into Brian’s and allowed Brian to pull him up.  The kids laughed and clapped as the boys left the safety of the box to go down to the dance floor.


Justin led Brian onto the dance floor to a relatively clear spot; his hips began to sway to the music.  Naturally gifted with rhythm Justin looked good no matter what his age.  Brian swayed slightly but was preoccupied with his graceful partner.  When Justin realized he was almost dancing alone he raised his arms then clasped his hands behind Brian’s neck bringing the older man close.  Brian was forced to scrunch down.  Justin smirked.


And then for a while in a club in Pittsburgh, PA, magic happened.  A couple of spotlights found a gorgeous brunet with his beautiful boy with the blond mane.  Glitter rained down.  The strobes caught their expressions of love and lust for only each other as they danced.  Time meant nothing.  The years that had passed meant nothing.


They were timeless.


They were magic.


The experienced DJ had a very special B&J mix that he kept on hand for these rare occasions when Brian and Justin came into the club for reasons other than to check the books or to say hello to the staff.  He watched his employer carefully waiting for the sign.  Brian requested a special song.  It was an oldie but apparently meant something to Brian and Justin.


After a few more songs they heard “Let’s Hear It For The Boy” which seemed to delight Justin.  He laughed and teased Brian mercilessly throughout the song.  Brian held his hand up and made a slashing motion just at the ending of their last dance.  The music went silent and the lights went dark for a second.  Then the DJ made a brief announcement.


“The management begs your indulgence.  A special request by the owner has been made and of course we couldn’t say no to the man who signs our paychecks!”


Everyone laughed and the tension was relieved.  But they were curious to know what was going to happen next.  This was Babylon which had a reputation for putting on great shows.


A filtered spotlight began to gently glow over Brian and Justin. 


“One more song, Sunshine,” Brian whispered into Justin’s ear.  Justin’s curiosity was peaked.


“Not one more dance?”


“That too but I want you to sing with me.”


“You don’t sing,” Justin protested.  “Well you do but…”  Brian laughed.


“I know, not as good as you but I’ve been practicing and I think you know this one.  It’s an oldie but it says how I feel.  How you made me feel.  And I promise you’ll remember this one.”  Brian waved his hand one more time and the music began.  It indeed was an old song.  Almost as old as Justin.  And somehow Justin knew exactly what parts to sing as Brian danced him around the dance floor “When I’m With You” by Sheriff. 


“I never needed love

Like I need you

And I never lived for nobody

But I live for you

Ooh babe

Lost in love is what I feel

When I'm with you

Maybe it's the way you touch me


With the warmth of the sun

Maybe it's the way you smile

I come all undone

Ooh babe

Lost in love is what I feel

When I'm with you



Baby ooh I get chills when I'm with you oh

Oh baby my world stands still when I'm with you

When I'm with you



I never cared for nobody

Like I care for you

And I never wanted to share the things

I want to share with you

Ooh babe

Lost in love is what I feel

When I'm with you



Baby ooh I get chills when I'm with you oh

O baby my world stands still when I'm with you oh oh

Baby ooh I get chills when I'm with you oh

O baby my world stands still when I'm with you

When I'm with you

When I'm with you”


Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

We’re Still Having Fun


 


Chapter 4


 


 


 


Colorful metallic balloons plus more glitter descended when their song ended.  Justin gave Brian a mischievous grin as his hand flicked toward the backroom.  Brian arched a brow and for a nanosecond Justin thought Brian would go for it.  But then Brian leaned in close to Justin’s ear and in a breathy whisper that sent a zing straight to Justin’s cock, Brian said, “I think we’ve had enough PDA's for one night.  Let’s save it for our suite.  What do you say, Sunshine?”


Justin leaned back so he could see his husband’s eyes and nodded in agreement.  Then he reached up, grabbed Brian’s neck bringing him down for a crushing kiss.  They broke only when the need for air became necessary.  They stared into each other’s eyes for a moment then Brian lifted his boy and swung him around as they laughed themselves silly.


“Your parents are unbelievable,” Jacqueline commented up in the VIP lounge as they watched the lovers below.  Gus and Bree turned their eyes toward her.  She raised her hands up in surrender.  “I mean that in only the best sense.  No one but Brian and Justin could ever pull that off.  Just how old is your father?” Jacqueline tried to ask.  She was met with four people shaking their heads, waving arms and hands.  “What?”


“We don’t use the “o” word when speaking about Brian Kinney,” Ray explained.  Bree, Gus, and JR nodded in agreement.


“Ah,” Jacqueline commented, deciding that discretion was certainly the better road to take.


Within a few minutes Justin was back in the lounge.


“Where’s Pop?” Gus said as he handed Justin a bottle of water. 


Justin beamed a grateful smile and took several sips before explaining.  “Brian wanted to thank the staff before we left for the night.  We’ll take one car back to the hotel and you guys can leave whenever you want.  The other car is yours for the night,” Justin said indicating both couples. 


Brian returned to the lounge to say good night.  He received an enthusiastic hug and kiss from JR, a restrained handshake from Jacqueline, and bear hugs and claps on the back from Gus and Ray.


“Only you, Pop,” Gus exclaimed as he bussed his father’s cheek. 


Brian blushed slightly as he shrugged his shoulders.  “Bree and Justin wanted to go,” he murmured back. 


Gus just shook his head.  “Good night, Pop!”


“Good night, Sonny Boy!”  With that, Brian lifted his drowsy daughter then with Justin, made their way out of Babylon.


“That’s going to be fodder for the gossip hounds for a while,” Justin commented as they settled into the car.  He had Bree on his lap.


“Sometimes this burgh needs to be rattled.  Speaking about rattled.  When is Justin Taylor going to rattle the art world with a new show?” Brian asked.


“Good question.  I may have an answer tomorrow.  Chaaarles should be here.  Lindsay wants me to stop by the gallery sometime tomorrow.  Or later today,” Justin qualified his answer as he looked at his watch.  It was after two in the morning.


It was a short ride to their hotel and they were soon tucking a sleeping Bree into her bed.  The boys showered, washing away the sweat and smell of the club and then they were soon tucked up close in bed as well.


“I had fun tonight,” Justin whispered in the dark as he nibbled on Brian’s chin.


“So did I,” Brian admitted.


“Really?”


“Really.  It’s not like I go clubbing every night or try to relive my youth on a regular basis.  It’s been years since we’ve done something like this. Where is it written that I can’t share moments like this with my family?”


“Nowhere.  You’re entitled to shake your booty whenever you want to,” Justin said emphatically.  “And that song!”


“Ridiculously romantic?”


“I’m afraid so.”


“So what are you going to do about it, Sunshine?” Brian whispered as he gently kissed Justin’s face.


“Make love to you,” Justin replied.


Those were the last words said until morning.


 


*****  


 


“Hi, you’re up early,” Justin said to Ray as he sat next to Justin at the counter.  They were both at the Liberty diner.


“I could say the same about you,” Ray mumbled.  “And no one should look so good in the morning.” 


Justin laughed.  “I think you need coffee,” he said as he waved over the waitress.  “What time did you guys leave the club?”


“Not much later than you.  We came here for a late night snack then got talking.  We sent the girls home in the car and we walked back to the loft since it’s so close.”


“Brian and I did that a lot.”


“Not to be nosy but why are you here?”


“I was in the mood for their coffee and lemon bars.  I’m going to the gallery in a while; I just needed a little me time.  I left Bree and Brian sleeping.”


“Yeah, Gus was wheezing away too.  Oh, wait, am I disturbing you?” Ray asked as he was about to move to another part of the diner.


“No, of course not.”


“Good.  Can I ask you something?  Something about Brian.”


“Okay but if it’s too personal I reserve the right not to answer.”


“It’s nothing like that, it’s more about Gus, but he and Brian are so much alike.”


“That they are.  Go on, ask.”


“Brian gets moody, doesn’t he?”


Justin studied Ray’s face before he answered.


“Spending time at the loft is putting thoughts in Gus’ head,” Justin guessed.  Ray stared at him with wide eyes.  “And I’m thinking you’re not ready to leave New York just yet.”


“I knew you were a great artist and all, but since when did you become a psychic?” Ray asked. 


Justin laughed.  “I just know my Kinney men.  Ray, go with your instincts.  You two are still young and you’re making waves at N’rgy, and North and even at Isles.  Kinnetik will be here when you’re ready.  Until then you’re needed elsewhere.  You’re both needed elsewhere.  So allow him his moody moments but don’t let them go on for too long.  Give him a kick in the ass when he needs it then move on.  Believe me, he’ll appreciate it later,” Justin explained.


“What do you get out of it?”


“More than I could have ever imagined.  I get a happy Kinney.  You must know all about a happy Kinney?” Justin asked with a gleam in his eyes. 


Ray blushed as he nodded.  He got a couple of coffees to go along with breakfast sandwiches.


“See you later and thanks,” Ray said as he hurried out the door heading back to the loft.


Justin smiled, shaking his head.  He ordered another coffee, his lemon bars, some of the diner’s fancier pastries then headed for the gallery.


 


*****


 


Meanwhile back on the lane, Craig Taylor was starting to get restless.  He wanted to go home.  His ability to tolerate homos, as he mentally referred to most of the inhabitants of the lane, had long ago reached its limit.


"Susan," Craig said as he walked carefully into the living room of the B&B.


"Yes, dear," Susan replied from the kitchen.  She was pouring herself a cup of coffee.


"Where is everyone?"  Craig had finished up his exercises with Glen, and was fresh from a shower.  He felt good not having to have someone watch him while he showered.  He was getting steadier on his feet each day.


"They needed a break, so they all went into town to shop and have lunch.


"Hmmph!" Craig responded.


"I thought you might like to spend some time alone with me," Susan said with a crooked little smile.  "We haven't been alone in weeks."


Craig studied his lovely wife.  Sometimes he wondered what she saw in him.  She was quite a bit younger and didn't need to be saddled with an old invalid like him.  "That would be nice," Craig said softly.


Susan smiled.  "Would you like a cup of coffee?"


"That sounds ... lovely."


"Have a seat at the table and I'll bring it over."


Craig turned and sat carefully as Glen had trained him.  He let out a sigh when he was settled.


"Here you go ... just the way you like it," Susan said as she placed the coffee mugs on the table and sat down across the table from her husband.  "Are you tired?" she asked giving Craig's hand a little squeeze.  She had heard the sigh.


"I'm sick of being dependent on other people," Craig griped before he took a sip of the coffee.  "I'm sick of being here."


"I understand," she replied.  "It's been a long haul, and certainly not easy for you.  Glen works you pretty hard sometimes."


"Yes he does."


"But you're improving all the time."


Craig nodded as he sipped some more coffee.  "There wouldn't be any of those popover things, would there?" he asked after a minute.


Susan shook her head.  "You weren't very nice to Emmett.  He hasn't brought any more popovers."


"Too bad," Craig sighed.


"You were saying you were sick of being here and being dependent on others.  Are you getting cabin fever?"


"I want to go home."


"And miss the next batch of popovers?" Susan asked with a mischievous grin.


Craig smiled in spite of himself.  "If I could sleep in my own bed and eat your cooking, I'd be a happy man."


"Why, that might be the sweetest thing you've ever said to me," Susan said in surprise.


Craig shook his head.  "I'm sure I don't tell you often enough how lucky I am to have you at my side, in spite of all the things we might disagree about."


Susan mulled this over.  This was a side of Craig Taylor that few got to see.  This was the man she loved.  She cleared her throat of the lump that had suddenly appeared there.  "Did you ask Glen when we could go home?"


"He doesn't think I'm quite ready ... yet," Craig said sadly.  "But I think I've made great progress."


"I think you have too," Susan agreed.  "However, I would like you to be a little stronger and surer on your feet.  If you were to fall, I would not be able to help you up."


"Those are practically Glen's words," Craig said with a raised eyebrow.


"I asked him when we could go home too," Susan admitted.


"You did?"


"We've been here a long time.  With all the setbacks you had, it's been necessary, but I'm ready to go home."


"Me too," Craig agreed giving his wife's hand a squeeze.


"Can you stand a few more days and then we can leave?"


"I'll be okay," Craig stated.  He would have liked to leave today, but he also knew that Glen was probably right.  He wasn't quite himself yet, but that was coming.  He stared out the window for a couple of minutes.  "I wonder if I'll see that ungrateful son of mine before I leave."


"That's the first time you've mentioned him," Susan observed.


"I thought he'd be here when I arrived."


"With Brian."


"God no.  With Bree."


"I think they have stayed away so as not to upset you," Susan explained.


"Is my son joined at the ... you know what, with that impossible man?" Craig demanded.


"They are married."


"Like that really means anything," Craig scoffed.


"They've been together longer than we have," Susan reminded him.


"God knows why."


"Probably because they love each other just like we do."


"We'll have to agree to disagree on that one."


"Then why do you think they're still together?" Susan asked.  She was curious to hear her husband's answer.


"I haven't a fucking clue.  Probably some evil twist of fate to make my life a misery."


"It's not always about you, you know," Susan said with a shrug of her shoulders.  They would never agree about Brian and Justin.


"Well it should be," Craig declared.


Susan laughed out loud.  "It's been all about you since we came here."


"I suppose it has," Craig said as he thought about what everyone had done for him since his operation.  He hadn't given it much thought before.  He had mostly felt like a prisoner in the B&B.  "I guess I should thank ... some people."


"There were a lot of people who rallied around you," Susan reminded him.  "I didn't know what I was going to do after your operation.  The whole family stepped up, not the least of whom was your son."


"My son?"


"Justin offered to have you come here as soon as I explained the situation."


"He did?"


"Yes, he offered immediately."


"Without consulting you know who?"


"Without even thinking about it."


"Really?" Craig asked in surprise.


Susan nodded.  "You don't give Justin enough credit."


"Hmm," Craig said thoughtfully.


"Hi, hi, hi!" Emmett called out as he came through the front door of the B&B.  "I come bearing popovers."  He stopped short when he saw that Craig and Susan seemed to be the only occupants of the B&B.


"Popovers are always welcome here," Craig said.


"And so are you, Emmett," Susan added, giving her husband a scathing look.  Craig tried to look contrite.


"You enjoyed the popovers?" Emmett asked placing a basket of same on the table.


"He would have eaten a dozen if he had them," Susan said scooping up the basket and placing only one in front of her husband.  "Join us for coffee," Susan offered.


"Um, if that's okay?" Emmett asked.


"Anyone who can make these things is welcome," Craig said as he took a big bite of his popover.


Emmett gave Craig a glance before sitting down at the table.  He knew Craig Taylor would never welcome a big old homo like him, but at least his popovers gave him an opening.  "How is your therapy progressing?" Emmett asked trying to make conversation.


Susan set a plate and a mug of coffee in front of Emmett.  She refilled Craig's mug and her own.  She provided a plate for her husband who had devoured the first popover in record time.  "We were just talking about going home," she said.


"Really?  Are you ready?" Emmett asked.


"Glen thinks I need to be here a little longer," Craig griped.  "Maybe I should have another popover to build up my strength."  He looked pleadingly at his wife.


"Okay, one more," she agreed.


Craig grabbed another popover and quickly bit off a big piece.  "What are these made of?" Craig asked as he wiped his mouth of the remnants of his buttery bite.


"A lot of stuff that Glen Wilder would not like you to be eating," Emmett replied with an evil grin.


"Something that tastes this good can't be bad for you," Craig said.


"If you say so," Emmett agreed.


"I'd like another," Craig said reaching for the basket that Susan had placed as far away from her husband as the table would allow.


"No," Susan said slapping his hand away.


"But ... they're so good," Craig begged.


Susan looked at Emmett.  "Should I let him have another one?" she asked.


"Only if you make him pay for it later," Emmett replied with a knowing nod.


"Ooh, I like that idea," she said.  "What's it worth to you?" she asked waving the basket of popovers just out of Craig's reach.


"What do you want?" Craig asked.


Susan thought about that.  "I want you to be civil and grateful to all the people on the lane who have helped you through your convalescence."


"All the people?" Craig asked with a frown.


"All!" Susan stated emphatically.


Emmett stifled a chuckle and took a bite of a popover.  He thought it best to keep his mouth shut.


"Well?" Susan demanded.


"Okay, okay, I'll make nice."


"To Brian as well."


"If I see him," Craig mumbled.  He sincerely hoped he didn't see Brian Kinney.


"If you see him, what are you going to do?" Susan asked pointedly.


"I ... I'm going to thank him for letting me rehab on the lane," Craig said grudgingly.


"Good," Susan said holding out the basket of popovers to her husband.  He took one.  "This is the last one for today," Susan stated.


"Okay," Craig agreed as he pulled his popover apart.


"Who knew popovers had such power?" Emmett asked before he ate the last bite of the one he had taken.


"They should be illegal," Susan laughed, "but they do have their uses."  She covered up the rest of the popovers and placed them in the cupboard behind the kitchen counter.


Emmett finished up his coffee.  "I'm glad you're doing so well, Mr. Taylor," he said as he stood up.


"Your popovers make life worth living," Craig mumbled.


Emmett chuckled.  "Glad to hear it.  I'll maybe bring another batch if you're here for a few more days."


"As much as I want to go home, I might stay just for some more popovers."


"Um, don't let me force you to stay," Emmett said hastily.  "I can always make some for the road."


"I might hold you to that," Craig replied.


"See you later, Susan," Emmett said as he headed for the door.


"Thanks for everything, Emmett."  Susan followed him to the front door.


"You're welcome."  Emmett leaned toward Susan to whisper, "I'm glad you got that promise from his grumpy old self over there.  It would mean a lot to Justin to hear some thanks from his father, especially if it didn't involve an insult about Brian."


"I can't promise what he'll say," Susan whispered back.  "He's pretty unpredictable."


"It's still good that you tried to get him to do the right thing."


"I couldn't have done anything without your popovers," Susan said.


"Happy to be of help.  See you later."  Emmett left the B&B.


Susan walked back into the kitchen and sat down across from Craig.  She took a sip of her coffee and didn't say anything.


"What were you two whispering about at the door?" Craig asked.


"The power of popovers."


Craig snorted.  "That guy should be arrested for coercion or bribery or something with those bloody popovers."


"You certainly like them," Susan observed.


"Yeah," Craig agreed.  "Maybe I should have another one."


"Maybe you shouldn't."


Craig shook his head.  "Maybe tomorrow?"


"Maybe tomorrow," Susan said with a warm smile, "especially if you remember what you promised."


"I remember."


"Good."


"I really do want to go home."

 

"I know," Susan said.  "So do I."

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

We’re Still Having Fun


 


Chapter 5


 


 


 


Justin walked into the relatively quiet gallery.  It was still early in the morning when most sane people were languishing in bed.  He took a moment to scan the main room then followed the unlady-like giggling back to Lindsay’s office.


“Am I interrupting?” Justin asked using his most Brian Kinney tone.  He failed at arching an eyebrow but the scowl on his face was a good imitation.  Startled, Lindsay jumped, Charles took a casual step back.


“Justin, you scared me,” she gasped as she went to him to help with his bags of goodies.  “We have coffee here.”


“I know but I went to the diner and couldn’t resist,” Justin explained with a smile.  His face couldn’t hold the false scowl for more than a second or two.  “Good morning, Charles.”


“Good morning, dear lad,” Charles replied with an elegant bow and a waggle of his eyebrows. 


Justin laughed.  “Butter couldn’t melt in your mouth,” he remarked as he handed Charles a pastry.


“I have no idea to what you are referring,” Charles replied trying to muster up the energy to be insulted.  Instead he took a good bite out of the pastry.  “Delicious!” Charles declared.


“I’ll pass along your compliments to the chef,” Justin stated as he nibbled on his own gooey bun.  “I hear you’re on holiday,” Justin began.


“So it would seem,” Charles said with a sigh.


“Are you all right?” Justin asked with concern, all kidding aside.


“I’m fine, just not willing to admit that the years are catching up with me.  I’m giving some serious thought to retirement.  Let Henry gallivant across Europe in search of new artists and exhibits.  I’ve been doing this for nearly forty years and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it,” Charles said with a leer and a wink for Lindsay.  “But I think it’s time for a rest.”


Charles sat back to enjoy his coffee and pastry.


“Does Henry know you’re ready for him to take over?” Lindsay asked.


“Not really.  I’ve been talking about stepping back for years.  He doesn’t listen anymore.”


“Maybe all you need is peace and quiet,” Justin stated.  “You’re welcome to stay on the lane for as long as you want.  We have plenty of room; we even have indoor plumbing!”


“And it’s not that far from civilization,” Lindsay assured Charles.


“I remember your charming lane very well.”


“So come with me.  I need to do a little recharging myself.  It’s been a very long time since I just sat and sketched or painted,” Lindsay admitted.


“Then it’s settled.  Our meetings are done.  Ted and Cynthia are getting impatient with Brian hovering over them.  The boys helped renew several contracts and Bree wowed her clients too.”


“How does a child have clients?” Charles asked.  “Never mind.  She’s your daughter, not to mention her other father’s influence.  I’m sure in two years that child will be running the entire empire,” Charles stated with an exaggerated flourish.  “When do we leave?”


“If it were up to me I’d leave today.  I’m going back to the hotel now to discuss it with Brian.  I’ll call you later,” Justin said as he got up ready to leave.


“Let me walk you out,” Lindsay said.  Together they walked out to the main gallery, talking about Justin’s latest projects and how he wanted to showcase them.  He had spent a lot of time painting the local wildlife.  And while he wanted to continue with that subject, Justin was also aching to take on something more edgy like his prop art.


“I’ve always enjoyed being here,” Justin said as he took a slight detour from his path to the door so that he could look at some of the newer works.  “Is this Jamie’s?” he asked as they passed a large abstract pastel piece.


“Yes.  She said now that they’ve had a child she sees the world differently,” Lindsay commented.


“It’s beautiful.  And I understand what she means,” Justin stated.  He smiled when they reached the Rage exhibit.  “I’m so proud of this.”


“You should be.”


“Not just because of me and Michael but look at Lacy’s contributions and now Candy.  The drawings are the same but different.  Rage changes through the years just as I hoped he would.”


“And yet he stays the same,” Lindsay added with a serene smile.  Justin agreed.


  


“I’ll call you later,” Justin said as he left.


“Are you sure you want to go to the lane?” Lindsay asked Charles when she came back to the office. 


“Why do you ask?”


“I told you about Justin’s father.”


“Grumpy old men don’t scare me.  Now all the lovely ladies you’ve mentioned,” Charles said with a wink and a grin.


“Oh you!” Lindsay retorted as they laughed.


 


*****


 


When Justin returned to their suite at the hotel he found two of his most favorite people still in robes and sitting at the table enjoying a leisurely brunch.


“Hello, Sunshine!” Brian said as he raised his coffee cup as a greeting.


“Hi, Daddy!” Bree imitated her father by raising a glass of juice.


Justin crossed the room to pass out kisses.  “Is there any more in the pot?” he asked indicating the coffee.


“I believe I can squeeze out another cup but I can call down for a fresh pot or tea,” Brian offered.


“No, a small cup is fine.  I’ve had a couple already.”


“A highly caffeinated Sunshine is not always a happy Sunshine,” Brian teased.  Justin stuck his tongue out at Brian, at which Justin’s incorrigible spouse made a very suggestive gesture.


“Later,” Justin remarked.  “When are we going home?”


“Whenever you wish.  Why?”


“I met with Lindsay and Charles this morning.  Charles looks like he needs a vacation.”


“And you offered him the lane?”


“Do you mind?”


“Of course not.  He works very hard at promoting Justin Taylor.  He deserves a vacation.”


“So does Lindsay,” Justin added.


“Then it’s settled.  Besides he’s not getting any younger,” Brian snarked.


“That’s what he said.  But no picking on him.  Like you said, he’s done a lot over the years to make me successful.  It’s about time I show him some gratitude.”


“I’m sure the money you’ve made him has made him very grateful,” Brian said then held up his hands.  “Just warn him that not all the people on the lane are pleasant.”


“I think Lindsay will take care of that.  How do we want to do this?  Will the boys be coming back with us?”


“Good question, McSunshine!  Let’s call them,” Brian said as he grabbed his phone, put it on speaker and pressed 2 on his speed dial.


“Pop!” an out of breath voice responded.


“Sonny Boy!  Doing anything I wouldn’t do?” Brian teased.


“Is there anything you wouldn’t do?” Gus came back.  “Pop? You still there?” he asked when he didn’t hear any reply.


“I was trying to think of something I wouldn’t do,” Brian stated nonchalantly.  “I’ll have to get back to you on that.”  Brian winked at Justin who merely shook his head.


“Your Dada is being silly,” Justin whispered to Bree.  She nodded vigorously in agreement.


“We are contemplating returning to the lane.  Your mom and Charles will be coming with us.  Are you ready to go back or are you boys enjoying the loft?  If Lindsay doesn’t mind driving, we can leave you the Jeep.”


“Seriously?” Gus asked.  Ray’s eyes grew wide as he listened.


“You’re grown men and you do live on your own in New York.  Of course I‘m serious.  Besides I’m sure Cynthia and Ted would rather have you two butting in at Kinnetik instead of me,” Brian said with a pout.


“That’s because you’re a pest and don’t know when to leave well enough alone,” Ray said.  Gus stared at Ray for a moment as Brian stared at the phone.  “Did I say that out loud?”


“Yes!” both Gus and Brian replied. 


Justin burst into giggles.  “He’s got your number, Bri,” Justin said trying to catch his breath.


“Am I fired?” Ray asked with a groan.


“Yes!” Brian shouted.


“No, you’re not,” Justin assured Ray.  “But in future when putting your boss in his place, don’t forget to add 'sir' at the end.  You’ll be in a lot less trouble that way.”


“Yes, sir,” they heard from Ray.


“Don’t encourage him,” Brian growled.


“Oh shush.  Enjoy the loft, guys.  Just remember to get rid of any food and garbage when you’re ready to leave,” Justin advised.


“We will,” the boys replied.


“Thank you, Pop!” Gus added.


“Thank you, Mr. Kinney, sir!” Ray said.


“Raymond, I suggest you quit while you’re ahead,” Brian growled out.


“Yes, sir,” Ray said before Gus cut the connection.


Brian was about to complain regarding the rampant lack of respect, however Justin had already walked away talking to Lindsay to confirm their plans.  Brian sighed.


“Don’t worry, Dada, when I’m all grown up I’ll pretend to be afraid of you at Kinnetik,” Bree reassured her eldest parent.  She patted his knee as she went to her room to begin to pack her suitcase.


“Thank you, I think,” Brian mumbled to himself then finished his coffee.


“All set.  We can leave whenever we want.  Lindsay is happy to drive us home,” Justin informed Brian.  Seeing Brian’s forlorn expression.  Justin gingerly made himself comfortable on Brian’s lap.  He kissed and gently nibbled Brian’s lips until the crease above Brian’s eyebrows eased up.  “We were only teasing,” Justin murmured.


“I know.  But you’re all right, I have been a pest.  I’m just not ready to let it all go.”


“And you shouldn’t have to.  Just because you can afford to retire doesn’t mean you should.  If you’re enjoying what you’re doing there’s no reason to stop doing it.  You can work on your own projects and leave Kinnetik to the rest of your people.  They’ll find you if they need you.  And even if they don’t need you, they always want your opinion.  You are Kinnetik and that will never change.  Let’s go pack.  I’m ready for my own bed.”  Justin kissed his spouse and elicited the desired response.


“I haven’t had my shower yet,” Brian remarked.  “I could use help washing my back,” he casually mentioned.


“It would be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can,” Justin whispered against Brian’s lips.  Their kiss deepened until it became all consuming.  “Want you now.”  They kissed again before heading for the bathroom for a nice long hot shower.


 


*****


 


"Cynthia," Ted said as he crossed the lobby of Kinnetik. 


Cynthia turned to see why she was being paged.  "What's up?" she asked as she observed the funny look on Ted's face.


"Just had a call from Brian."


"He's coming in to make sure we don't fu...screw up the Eyeconics campaign," Cynthia said with a weary sigh.


"Not exactly."


"Let's go to my office," Cynthia said noting that the receptionist had been listening quite intently to their conversation.  Cynthia would have to keep an eye on her in the future.  Besides there was no point in letting staff see that there might be less than positive interaction amongst the heads of Kinnetik.


Ted nodded and followed her into the main office.  He closed the door behind him.  "Did you notice that Dianne was listening to us?" he asked knowing that Cynthia most definitely had noticed.


Cynthia nodded.  "She hasn't been here long, but if she doesn't mind her p's and q's. she may not be here much longer.  Even Brian noticed."


"Yeah," Ted agreed with a little smile.  "Not much gets past Brian Kinney.  Everybody thinks he doesn't notice the little people, but that's so not true."


"Brian notices everything," Cynthia stated, "and sometimes that's a pain in my ass."


Ted laughed.  "I know."


"So what did his majesty tell you over the phone?"


"He did mention the Eyeconics account.  He actually said that he liked what we had done, and to make sure that we kept them happy."


"That's good," Cynthia said relaxing a bit.


"Brian is confident in us running this place, you know," Ted felt compelled to remind her.


"I know," Cynthia sighed.  "It's just that he was my boss, still is technically.  And when he makes suggestions, I feel like I haven't measured up."


"You measure up," Ted said emphatically.  "Don't ever doubt it."


"Thanks, Ted."  Cynthia, like every human being, was pleased to be validated by her peer.


"And I also know that Brian thinks you're doing a great job with Kinnetik."


"Too bad he doesn't tell me that more often."


"That's not his way.  You know that.  But he certainly thinks it and trusts you with the running of the company."


"Does he tell you these things because you're his friend?" Cynthia asked.


Ted made a little face.  "Sometimes Brian makes comments when I see him socially, but usually not.  I doubt I'm his closest friend."


"That would be Michael, of course," Cynthia said with a rueful smile.


"Not so much anymore, although Michael would tell you that he is."


"Really?"


"Brian and Michael are still friends, don't get me wrong, but Michael has ... issues that have put a little distance between him and Brian."


"Hmm," Cynthia said.  "I would never have guessed.  Brian never talks about things like that."


"No, he keeps stuff to himself, and that's why he doesn't compliment easily."


"You're right," Cynthia said softly.  "I've developed a tough skin over all the years in this business, but not so much where Brian is concerned."


"Me either.  I hate to let him down."


"Because he never lets us down," Cynthia observed.  Ted nodded in agreement.  "Did Brian say if he was coming in tomorrow?"


"Nope, he called to let us know that they are heading back to the lane."


"Oh?"


"Yeah, seems their work here is done," Ted joked.


"Can't say that I'm sorry to see him go," Cynthia said with a little smirk.


"He probably heard you say that," Ted said with a mischievous glint in his eye.


"What? Where?" Cynthia looked around suspiciously.


"There's no hidden camera," Ted laughed.  "I was just joshing."


"Joshing, huh?  I might have to fire you for acts of insubordination like that," Cynthia said with a straight face.


"Then I'd have to go to your boss, my friend, Brian Kinney," Ted reminded her with an evil grin.


Cynthia frowned at him.  "You're kidding, right?'


"Only if you're kidding about firing me."


"You know I'd never fire you, Ted.  You're indispensible."


"A compliment?  Wow!"


"Shit!  Am I as bad as Brian Kinney?"


Ted smiled as he stood up.  "Maybe ... just a little."  He let himself out of the office knowing he had won that round.  It was always good to feel on top.


 


*****


 


"Lindsay and Chaaarles are out front," Justin informed his husband as he got off his phone in their suite at the hotel.


"Let's go," Brian said.


They each picked up their bag and headed to the elevators.


"Daddy, why do you call him Chaaarles?" Bree asked exaggerating the length of Charles' name the way she had heard her father do so many times.


"I don't know.  He's British," Justin said with a grin.


The elevator door opened and they got on.


"Should I call him Chaaarles?" she asked.  "Is that the British way to say it?"


"That would be Mr. Chaaarles to you, short stuff," Brian stated.  Bree giggled.


"No. it's not really British," Justin informed his daughter.  "It's just kind of my joke with him."


"So, I shouldn't say his name that way?" Bree asked.


"You are a very perceptive young lady," Brian told his daughter.


"I know, Dada."


They arrived in the lobby and walked out to Lindsay's car under the canopy.  Brian had already checked them out of the hotel over the phone.  The doorman helped them store their bags in the trunk of Lindsay's car, along with those of Charles and Lindsay.  It was a tight fit.


The Taylor-Kinney family slid into the back seat with Miss Bree in the middle.  The journey back to Edna's Treasures Lane began.  They drove along catching up on what they had been doing since they were last together.  Lindsay was disappointed that Gus and Ray were staying in Pittsburgh.  That meant that she wouldn't see her son while on the lane unless he decided to come back in the next couple of days.


About halfway to the lane, when there was a lull in the conversation, Bree asked, "Are you staying with us or at the B&B?"


"Oh, I'm not sure," Lindsay said.  "Is the B&B full?"


"Craig has one bedroom and Susan has another.  They've kept it that way, but I think Dad's probably up to sleeping in a regular bed by now," Justin said.  "Mom and Seth are there too, but that should leave room for you guys ... if you don't mind sharing the space ... with my father."


"I don't mind," Lindsay said.  "If we stay with you, we'd have to take Gus' room and then move when he and Ray come back, so I think it's the B&B for us, Charles."


"Sounds fine to me," Charles agreed.


"Then can we stop and get some ice cream at the general store?" Bree asked.


"I think Lindsay might agree to that," Justin said to his daughter.  "Okay, Lindsay?"


"That's a great idea, Bree," Lindsay told her.


"Can I get some for Grandpa Craig?" she asked her father.


"Um, sure, I guess that can be arranged," Justin said uncertainly.


"I can take it into the B&B," Lindsay volunteered sensing Justin's reluctance to face his father.  She was well aware that Brian and Justin had been keeping their distance.


"I want Daddy and me to take it to Grandpa," Bree insisted.  "We can, can't we, Daddy?"


"Um, yeah, sure, we can," Justin replied.  He gave Brian a 'please help me look'.  Brian merely shrugged.


"Well, here's the general store," Lindsay said as she pulled into the lot.  "Let's get lots of ice cream," she suggested as they got out of the car.  "What's everyone's favorite flavor?"


Lindsay, Charles and Bree headed for the store.  Justin hung back.


"You have to face him at some point," Brian said gently.


"I know."


"Might as well be when you're armed with his favorite flavor of ice cream."


"Why doesn't that make me feel any better?" Justin asked as they walked into the general store.


Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

We’re Still Having Fun


 


Chapter 6


 


 


 


“Linds, would you mind if I drive from here?” Brian asked as they were leaving the General Store with their purchases.  Fortunately the store had a supply of insulated bags and foam coolers to protect the ice cream.  It was becoming a very typical hot July day.  As close as they were to their lane, the ice cream wouldn’t have survived the trip.  It would have turned to soup by the time they reached home.


“I don’t mind,” Lindsay replied as she got in the back with Justin and Bree.  She glanced over at Justin, who merely shrugged his shoulders.  He had no idea what Brian was thinking.


As Brian pulled out onto the road, a thought about the sleeping arrangements came to mind.


“Justin, you forgot about the attic,” Brian remarked.


“In our cottage?”


“No, the B&B.”


“Oh woe is me,” Charles dramatically began.  “Relegated to a garret.  How the mighty have fallen!” Charles said with flair putting the back of one hand to his forehead.


Brian rolled his eyes as he concentrated on the road.  Lindsay and Justin cracked up with laughter.


“Brian’s right, I did forget about that.  And Charles, it’s a bit more than a garret.  It runs the length of the B&B with a very high ceiling.  At one end there’s a bedroom suite with moveable screens for privacy and at the other a small sitting room but it’s the middle that’s perfect for an artist,” Justin explained.  “John installed huge windows that allow in a lot of natural light.  Lindsay, I think you’ll find it a perfect place to paint.  And I guarantee you’ll never be bored or run out of subjects to sketch.”


“Does that include Mr. Kinney?” Charles asked with a sideways glance and lascivious grin.


“We’re here,” Brian announced before the conversation deteriorated any further.  He slowly turned off the main road onto the short drive that led to the wrought iron gateway of their own private sanctuary.  When they reached the gate Brian punched in his code then drove through when there was sufficient room.


“There’s been some changes since you’ve been here,” Justin said as he leaned forward and gently tapped Brian’s shoulder.  Brian knew what Justin was thinking as he slowly inched the car toward the new thatched cottage.


“This is truly impressive,” Charles said in all sincerity.  “I’ve stayed in many English villages as well as Irish ones when in search of so called lost masterpieces.  This cottage would fit nicely into any of those villages.  Did John build this?”


“Yes.  But he did have help with the roof,” Brian explained.


“In what way?”


“He went directly to the source.”


“You mean?”


“Dr. Cottage did his research then hired some of the best men in the U.K. to put up that roof and to teach John and his men how to do it.  Every once in a while John will fly over or one of the experts will come to the U.S., if some other crazy person wants a thatched roof.  John and a few of his men will join the crew to hone their skills.”


“Truly remarkable.  Sadly, it’s becoming a dying art.  It would be wonderful to see the tradition live on,” Charles said.  “That is a rather unusual lawn.  I recognize the lavender and if I’m not mistaken, lupines but your ground cover, is that clover?”


“Give the man a cigar!” Brian crowed.  “Clover is very low maintenance and very environmentally friendly.  The lavender and lupines are also perennials so no replanting.”


“And clover is good for the bees!” Bree interjected.


“That’s right, Squirt,” Brian was quick to agree, making Charles smile.  Charles wasn’t the first to notice how Brian shined with pride over his children. 


“A little weeding here and there but it’s perfect for the current occupants,” Brian continued.


“Who are?” Charles ventured to ask.


“Debbie and Carl,” Brian replied as he began to drive off, continuing up toward the conjoined cottages.


“Don’t forget Peter, Dada,” Bree reminded him.


“Ah yes, Peter.  Debbie’s latest project,” Brian stated.


“Brian,” Justin warned. 


Brian sighed.  “Debbie has been doing some volunteer work at our local high school.  Peter Chang was a troubled young man who needed Debbie’s unrelenting interference.  Like some of us in this car, Peter needed… needs Debbie’s love, guidance, and faith to set him on the right path.  Between Debbie and Carl, and some others on the lane, whom you’ll meet shortly, Peter will get what he needs,” Brian said gently.  Brian felt the back of his neck kissed.


“Where are we going next?” Lindsay asked.


“To see the latest addition to the lane,” Justin said.


Brian maneuvered the car onto the driveway on the far side of the conjoined cottages.  Most people rarely saw this side of the cottage.  The driveway previously ended just past the cottages at a very large barnlike structure that the boys used to garage their vehicles, and other out buildings used to store extra equipment as needed.  It was where Justin had experimented with welding to build his “henge.”  Something he hadn’t felt the need to repeat, much to Brian’s relief.  Part of the driveway, now widened, gently veered off toward the meadow.  The meadow grasses had just about reached their full height.  The sunflowers were still growing but many were blooming.  Charles and Lindsay felt like they were driving through an ocean of yellow and green.


“Oh my!” Lindsay gasped as she looked around them.  The car was nearly hidden by the tall grass.


“Now I understand,” Charles murmured as comprehension became clear regarding Justin’s endless sources of inspiration.


Most of the meadow was flat as was the road but then there was a slight incline as they came to a clearing where the grasses began to naturally thin down.


“Would you look at that!” Charles exclaimed as the newest cottage came into view.


Brian drove onto the circular driveway, slowly circumventing the new cottage until the car came to rest behind Alex and Glen’s van.


“Justin, this cottage is lovely but a little unusual,” Charles remarked.


“In what way?  Although, I have to admit, the owners are a bit unusual too,” Justin replied with a chuckle.


“I’m not sure how to describe it,” Charles stated, slightly perplexed.  Before he could go on Alex stepped out from the front door.


“Welcome back!  Hey, what’s with the car?  And where’s the Jeep?  Did you trade it in along with your son and his partner?” Alex joked as he leaned into Brian’s window.  He waved at Lindsay.


“I can’t get rid of my son that easily, although I may have to fire his partner,” Brian growled.


“That sounds like the beginning of an interesting story but I think I’ll wait to hear it another time,” Alex said when a Brian death glare was aimed in his direction.  “Would you like a tour?”


“I’d love one,” Charles was quick to respond. 


Brian redirected his glare.  “Another time,” Brian began.  “We bought tons of ice cream.  This is just a quick tour of the lane and the new cottages for Charles Higgins.  He and Lindsay will be staying at the B&B.  Charles, this is Alex Wilder.  He’s a happily married man so keep your hands above the waist.  Besides I thought you batted for the other team.”


“I do but it doesn’t mean I can’t look or I don’t appreciate beauty in all forms.”


“You and my wayward spouse will get along just fine,” Alex stated.  “You share a similar philosophy.”


“Where is the great and powerful Oz?” Brian quipped.


“With Craig.  He’s made good progress over the last few days.  He’s motivated to go home and has been spending some quality time with Taylor and Molly.  He’s been asking for you, Miss Bree,” Alex said.


“Can I bring him ice cream, Dr. Alex?” Bree asked.  The hope in her voice was evident.


“I think he’d like that after today’s workout.  Glen should be just about finished with his session.  I’ll call over and let your grandmothers know that you’re back and that you’ll be bringing a reward for all of Craig’s hard work.  Will that be all right?” Alex said to Bree but really he was directing his question to Justin and Brian.


Alex noted Brian’s hands clenching at the steering wheel several times.  Brian relaxed a little when he felt Justin gently caress the side of his face then he nodded to Alex. 


“Yes, Baby Girl, we’ll go over now,” Justin nervously said.  Before Justin sat back, Brian reached back for Justin’s hand and brought it to his lips. 


“Miss Bree, do you think there’s enough ice cream for me and Glen too?” Alex asked with a wink to Brian.  Charles wasn’t quite sure what was going on but knew enough to keep quiet.


“Oh yes, Dr. Alex, Dada bought lots!”


“Excellent!  I’ll drive over in the van after I call,” Alex said waving his phone in the air as he stepped back into the cottage to fetch his keys.  A few minutes later he was out the door and giving Brian the thumbs up.  Brian started up the car then followed Alex to the B&B.


As soon as Bree was out of the car she was running to the B&B door then disappeared inside.  Neither Brian nor Justin were fast enough to stop her.


“Leave her,” Alex gently advised risking Brian’s wrath.  “She’s strong and resilient.  She won’t let Craig’s attitude get to her.”


“He’s disappointed her before,” Brian mumbled.


“And I’m sure he’ll disappoint her again in the future. Bree’s fathers are unique.  While Taylor’s parents are what Craig considers normal.  He will always favor Molly and her family until the day he dies.”  Alex’s bluntness made Justin reel back for a moment and angered Brian to the point where Brian saw red.  But Alex had to be honest.  As Charles and Lindsay quietly unpacked the car of their belongings trying not to intrude, Alex grabbed the boys by the wrist.


“Listen to me before you enter that building ready for a fight.  Do you trust me?” Alex asked Brian and Justin.  Not trusting their voices, the boys nodded. 


“Do you trust your daughter?”  Again the boys nodded. 


“Then believe me when I tell you, that you have raised a remarkable young lady.  She’s smart, intuitive, and perceptive.  If I didn’t know how much she wants to follow in both of your footsteps I’d steer her toward psychiatry.  Yes, she may get hurt.  She may even get angry and frustrated at that ornery, homophobic, extremely annoying man,” Alex stated as he tried to keep his voice even.  “However, Briana is no longer a baby.  When she comes to you and she will come to you with her questions, be honest with her.  Tell her the truth.  Especially you, Justin.  Craig is your father.  And even though he may reject you or continue to reject you, it hasn’t stopped you from loving him on some level.  And if Briana asks you or if either of you sense that she harbors guilt for wanting to pursue a relationship with Craig while he continues to reject both of you, make sure you impress upon her that you’re both okay with it.”


Alex eased his grip on the boys when he sensed they were digesting what he had told them.  He let go of Brian when the man straightened to his full height and had that Brian fucking Kinney air about him.  Alex turned his attention toward Justin.  This was one of the few times when Alex hated his chosen profession; when he saw the long lasting effects that a cruel parent had upon a child, even an adult child.


Justin closed his eyes for a moment as if reliving painful memories.  Brian immediately moved closer, but Alex held up his free hand to allow Justin the chance to work it out on his own.  Brian reluctantly complied.  After what seemed like an eternity, Justin took a deep breath and opened his eyes.  His eyes were clear and determined.  Alex immediately released Justin’s wrist as Brian stepped to Justin’s side.


“Brian, here’s the ice cream,” Lindsay casually stated as she handed him one of the coolers.  He nodded at her.


“Ready, Sunshine?” Brian asked Justin with a smirk.


“Ready,” Justin replied looking up into strong hazel eyes with confidence.


As the boys led the procession to the B&B door, Brian began to hum.  Justin giggled then joined in.


“What the hell are you two humming?” Alex demanded to know.  “If I’m not mistaken you were humming the same thing at the barbeque.  Of course we saw very little of you at the barbeque and don’t think no one noticed your strange antics.  I swear the two of you looked like a pair of bumbling spies.”


Alex stopped dead on the path to the door.  “Oh no.  Tell me you’re not humming the theme to…”  Alex cracked up with laughter when he got the joke.  He just shook his head trying to compose himself but failing miserably.  Lindsay and Charles remained clueless but figured someone would eventually let them in on the joke.


When they entered the large main room of the B&B with climate control, Glen wheeled over to greet them.


“Hey, Babe!” he said to Alex as he leaned up for a kiss which he readily received.  “Welcome home you two.  Miss Bree told us you brought us ice cream!”  Somehow Glen made that innocent statement sound not so innocent.


“Yes, we did,” Justin said before Brian could protest.  He took the cooler out of Brian’s hands and brought it to the kitchen.


“Where’s Bree?” Brian asked.


“With Jennifer and Seth.  Craig had a good workout and needed a little lie down before his ice cream.  I told him not too long because I don’t want him to stiffen up.  He should be out soon.  Who is this?”  Glen purred as he looked over Charles then up at the distinguished and handsome face.  Charles grinned as Brian left Alex to make the introductions and deal with his husband.


“Alex, you have my sympathies,” Brian murmured as he went into the kitchen in search of coffee.  “What is with those guys?” Brian mumbled as he began to ransack the kitchen.


“Hmm?”  Justin asked as he stopped the raging bull in the china shop by pointing a finger toward a stool.  Brian scowled but obeyed the finger and sat, staying out of harm’s way. 


“What’s with those guys is none of your business; it’s just innocent flirtation.  You get hit on all the time,” Justin said.  “And don’t tell me you don’t.”


“You get hit on too.  You have art fan girls, for fuck sake!  Don’t think I don’t notice the same faces when you open a new show someplace.  Jeez, Justin, they come from the four corners of the universe to see your stuff,” Brian said.  “And bearing gifts.”


“Jealous?”  Justin teased with a grin.


“Maybe,” Brian replied honestly.  “Advertising isn’t known for groupies.”


“Maybe not,” Justin said as he pulled Brian off the stool and into a hug.  “However, I happen to know just how many awards Kinnetik has won and continues to win over the years.  And many of those so-called gifts contain business cards intended for you.  I usually give them to Ted or Cynthia.”


“Are you shitting me?” Brian asked as he leaned back to see Justin’s face.


“Nope.  So you see, Big Guy, you have fan girls too!” Justin pronounced with a grin.  “Here.”  Justin gave Brian a small bowl of vanilla ice cream and slid over a mug of strong coffee.


“Ice cream kisses, Sunshine?” Brian said in a low breathy tone.  Brian slowly nibbled on a couple of spoonfuls of ice cream.  He then fed Justin.


“A few now and many more later,” Justin promised as he took the spoon from the bowl to feed Brian a little more.  Justin leaned up on his toes to nibble Brian’s cold ice cream kissed lips.


Within a flash the bowl was on the counter and the spoon clattered to the floor when Justin leapt into Brian’s arms as their kiss intensified.


“Damn, I wish I was around when those two were a backroom item.  That must have been some hot show,” Glen commented as he fanned himself.


“Down boy,” Alex said. 


“Hey.  HEY!  I hate to break up your little love fest.  I mean I really, really hate to break it up because it’s doing wonders for my libido, but his royal dampness will be out here any minute,” Glen stated as he wheeled himself closer.  “And if he catches so much as a hint of “ode de homo” in the air then we all will have hell to pay.”


Experts on knowing how to play it cool, the boys broke apart and resumed more benign tasks.  Brian retrieved the lost spoon, dealing with it then went back to his coffee.   While Justin took out more bowls and spoons in anticipation of their ice cream party.


They were a picture of innocence.  Yeah, right.


“Hi, Sweetheart!” Jennifer called out as she came down the stairs and greeted her son.  Seth and Bree weren’t far behind.  Justin genuinely smiled brightly as he gave his mother a hug and a kiss.  He kissed Bree on the head as she passed by then gave Seth a warm hug.  Justin wasn’t sure if Seth had met Charles so Justin played host.


“Can I have some ice cream, Dada?” Bree asked, seeing the bowls and empty coolers on the counter.


  “Of course, Squirt.  We put them in the freezer; pick out the one you want and I’ll dish it up.  Mother Taylor-ish!” Brian teased when Jennifer came closer to the kitchen area.  “Haven’t seen you in a while.”


“I could say the same about you,” Jennifer deadpanned.


“Ice cream?” Brian asked as he held up an ice cream scoop, ignoring her remark.


“Got any black cherry?”


“I think we just might be able to accommodate you,” Brian replied as he hunted through the containers to pick out the one Jennifer requested.  “How is he?” Brian asked softly in her ear when she came closer.


“Almost human, but not like Joan,” Jenn said honestly looking up at Brian with sad eyes.  Through the years she and Joan had bonded becoming friends and allies.  “He’ll never accomplish what Joan did,” Jennifer continued, choosing her words carefully.  She held her breath waiting for Brian’s reaction.  She watched those soulful hazel eyes scrutinize her own.  ‘Those eyes,’ Jenn thought to herself, ‘it’s all in his eyes.’


Brian briefly closed his eyes as he hugged her close.  Jenn’s warm body and the scent of her hair felt familiar in Brian’s arms.  Out of habit he kissed the side of her temple.  A throat cleared and Brian casually released her.  He turned back to Jennifer’s ice cream to dish it out for her.  Jennifer took the bowl with a sunny smile.


“I thought you batted for the other team,” Charles remarked as he boldly helped himself to several large scoops of chocolate ice cream.  “I’m sharing,” he explained when he noted Brian’s eyebrow arch.  The brow relaxed, sort of.


“You know I do, but Jennifer is special.”


“That she is,” Charles agreed.


“Also happily married,” came a voice.  Brian and Charles turned to see Seth standing there.


“Let me guess, black cherry?” Brian asked.


“Actually I’d prefer pistachio if you have it.”


“Pistachio?  You’re a wild man!”  They indeed did buy pistachio.  Seth went away cautiously happy.


“Hello, everyone,” Susan said as she came out of her suite.  “It looks like you’re having a party.”


“Hi, Grandma Susan!”


“Hello, Sweetheart, I missed you!  How was your trip?”


“I missed you too,” Bree said as she gave Susan a hug.  “Our trip was good.  Gus and I saw all our clients and renewed our contracts.  Didn’t we, Dada?” Bree stated, suddenly not sounding like a little girl but more like her eldest father.


“You certainly did,” Brian proudly confirmed.


“Aren’t there laws about that sort of thing,” Craig stated as he walked into the kitchen.  He still had a cane in his hand but it was obvious he wasn’t relying on it as heavily as before.


“There are also laws about purposely ramming your car into someone else’s,” Brian sneered as he got up close and personal into Craig’s face. 


Justin got in between them and put a calming hand on Brian’s chest.  Justin felt Brian’s heart pounding and knew instinctively that Craig nearly got clobbered.  Brian took Justin’s hand like he did before and brought Justin’s palm to his lips then Brian turned his back on Craig and walked away.  Brian continued to dish out ice cream while Justin dealt with Craig.  Justin knew Brian would stay close by.


“Bree doesn’t actually do the negotiating, but she met these particular clients several years ago and they fell in love with her.  On the anniversary of the contract renewal they ask for Bree to be present,” Justin explained to Craig as he handed him a bowl of strawberry ice cream.  Craig stared at the bowl for a moment; he realized that Justin remembered strawberry was Craig's favorite.


“What’s wrong, Grandpa?” Bree asked, her large violet blue eyes looking up at him with love.  Craig looked down at Bree and saw Justin, Molly, and Jennifer in her lovely face.


“Nothing, Sweetheart.  Let’s go enjoy our ice cream at the table.  It’ll be easier for me to sit there,” Craig said.  He still had to use his special chair.  Bree followed him to the table and made herself comfortable.  Justin soon followed with a bowl of strawberry ice cream for Bree.  “You like strawberry too?” Craig asked.


“Yes, Grandpa!” Bree replied with a sunny smile.  Craig couldn’t help but smile back.  Justin made sure Bree had what she needed then was about to leave her with Craig.


“Justin, would you like to join us?” Craig softly asked. 


Justin’s eyes searched his father’s; what he found in them was the father of his childhood.  Grasping at straws, Justin sat at the table.  He had no idea how long Craig would remain civil but Justin would take whatever he could get.


Brian brought Justin a small bowl of ice cream.  He gently caressed Justin’s cheek then kissed the top of Bree’s head as he walked back toward the kitchen area.


“I’m proud of you,” Alex whispered as he patted Brian on the back.


“Me too!” Glen said as his hand travelled a little lower, however, Alex got to it in time.


“Out!” Alex commanded as he twirled around Glen’s chair toward the front door.

 

Seth made himself useful by showing Lindsay and Charles up to the “garret.”  Brian, Jennifer, and Susan stayed close by just in case.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

We’re Still Having Fun


 


Epilogue - August 2025


 


It was just about August when Glen gave Craig the official heave ho, um, his blessings to go home and continue his physical therapy on an outpatient basis.  Glen made all the arrangements plus arranged for the removal and or transfer of any essential equipment.  Craig still needed his “high” chair but he no longer needed a hospital bed or the home gym equipment.  The B&B transformed back to the quaint but larger cottage it was originally intended to be.


The lane was slowly losing its “summer” tenants.  Owen Jr. had already returned to Pittsburgh some time in July; Molly and Taylor were also packing up.  Molly was ready to return to work and Taylor was heading for day camp before the start of the new school season.  Molly and her family planned to return for the long Labor Day weekend.


Jennifer and Seth were contemplating leaving the lane after Craig and Susan.  However Jenn wanted to spend some “tension free” days with Justin, Bree and the boys. She wanted to actually enjoy her time away from home rather than playing referee.


True to his word, Emmett stayed on the lane popping in and out of the B&B with an endless supply of popovers and other goodies keeping “the beast” sated and rewarded.  Drew was never far behind to make sure that Craig remained civil when Emmett’s flames burned slightly above Craig’s tolerance level.  Not that Emmett wasn’t totally equipped to handle any situation; Emmett was more than capable of handling a homophobic bastard like Craig.  Emmett had experienced worse in his life, but Craig was Justin’s father and that meant something to Emmett.  And to Drew.  Emmett was a sensitive old softie.  Drew saw the hurt in Emmett’s eyes every time Craig made a biting remark about homosexuality or when Craig slipped, and he thought no one heard him wish that Justin had a “normal” family like Molly. 


Emmett cried and raged in private then cooked up another batch of perfect popovers.  Drew stood by Emmett’s side, glaring at Craig, daring him to make one crack at Emmett then later secretly going over to Ben’s cabin where he and Ben pumped iron until their arms couldn’t move.


Lindsay and Charles were eventually fully informed of all the shenanigans that had been going on since the July 4th barbeque.  They found it both amusing and sad that Brian and all his look-alikes had to keep themselves hidden just to avoid upsetting Craig. 


Charles was on his best behavior around Craig and Craig appeared to be charmed by the debonair Englishman.  One rainy afternoon they struck up a conversation regarding some of the National Gallery’s popular exhibits.  Charles was responding to emails so he decided to give Craig a virtual tour of the gallery on his laptop.  Needless to say Craig was impressed and a bit more than embarrassed.  Even after all the years Justin had been actively pursuing his art, Craig still had no clue just how popular and sought after a Justin Taylor original really was.  But never let it be said that Charles Higgins couldn’t be subtle.  He started out slowly, zooming in on the classic old masters in another part of the gallery then easing into the room devoted to Justin Taylor.  Craig couldn’t help but be affected by what he had seen. 


And for a few days in that amazing summer, Justin got to spend a little time with the father he remembered as a child.  It would have to be enough, for now.


Michael was itching to get back to Pittsburgh.  He loved that cabin that he whined and wheedled to get, but all the peace and quiet was beginning to get to him.  He missed his store.  He missed his house and his neighbors.  And he missed JR.  Hunter and his Dr. Nick had come for a visit and were planning to stay a few weeks.  So Michael decided to stay at the cabin a little longer before going back to the city.  However, Michael had no intention of spending the entire summer at the cabin. 


Ben had other ideas.  The end of July meant the end of his one and only summer class.  He was looking forward to the break; to a month of walking around in nothing but t-shirts and shorts; to reading for pleasure and perhaps finally beginning an outline for a new novel.  Ben had an idea for a book floating around in his head for months.  He called his old publisher about it on a whim; she approved and urged him to get something down for her to look over.  Ben made up a million excuses to put it off, but now that his class was finished, and surrounded by the tranquility of the lane, he had no more excuses.  Besides, now Ben wanted to write. 


Michael, on the other hand was being an ass.  Michael had more or less gotten over his jealousy of Glen but somehow it had transferred onto Drew.  Michael couldn’t seem to grasp the concept that when one is benching a couple hundred pounds of bone crunching metal, one is not thinking of having sex with one’s spotter.  One is concentrating on lifting the weight and of how not to become crushed! 


Ben’s peace and tranquility was unfortunately interrupted on several occasions by unavoidable arguments with Michael.


The residents of the thatched cottage appeared to have settled into contentment mode.  Peter’s internship with Anderson Construction was finished for the summer.  He thoroughly enjoyed his time even though for the most part he was a “gofer.”  Peter came away from the experience with a new focus.  He finally found something that he thought he’d like to pursue as a career.  And while Patrick loved the designing aspect of his father’s profession, Peter seemed drawn to the construction side of things.  Peter and Patrick were developing a friendship over architecture.  Plus Peter no longer felt self-conscious around Patrick or hanging out with Patrick’s friends.  Debbie and Carl continued to bring Peter to the local LGBT youth center on a regular basis.


And then there was Alex and Glen.  Glen had gotten used to showing up at the B&B several times a week and seeing just how far he could push Craig’s buttons.  In some ways he was sad to see the old goat go but for the most part he was just as happy as the rest of the lane.  At one point Susan had taken Glen and Alex aside to apologize for all the trouble she and Craig had caused and for disrupting their summer.  The boys would hear nothing of it.  Their new cottage and beautiful surroundings more than made up for any perceived inconvenience.  Besides, the boys loved the challenge.  However both Alex and Glen were also pragmatic; they knew what little ground Craig had achieved regarding his outlook on Justin’s sexual orientation would most likely fade over time.  They just hoped some of it would survive, if not for Justin then for Bree.  Bree loved her grandfather.


Just before Susan and Craig were set to leave, Gus and Ray came back to the lane.  They planned on staying for just a few days while they confirmed travel plans.  The boys were going back to New York then off to Kinnetik North.  After spending time in Canada, the boys would then find out where they were needed next.  Both Gus and Ray hoped to go back to London and maybe they’d find time to see Paris. 


But before any of that was going to happen, it was time for Craig (and Susan) to leave the lane.  Brian and his look-alikes were all very happy to help the Taylors load up their car and wish them well as they left the lane.  Craig sat in the main room of the B&B receiving his instructions from Glen while Brian, John, Gus, and Patrick helped Susan.


Craig was a little nervous as one tall brunet with hazel eyes after another strode past him carrying suitcases or equipment specified by Glen.  It was the quiet glare and the arched brow that sent an occasional shiver up Craig’s spine.  The only one that was a little less intimidating was Patrick.  Patrick was just about as tall as the other Kinney men but Patrick hadn’t quite perfected his glare or his ability to sustain the arched brow.  But given time, Craig had no doubt Patrick Morrison-Anderson would live up to his Kinney genes.  Throw in the fire from his Morrison side and Patrick could be a formidable foe one day.


Craig was happy to leave.    


“Brian, I can’t thank you enough for all that you’ve done for us,” Susan sincerely gushed as Brian placed another suitcase into the trunk of their car.  “I know the sacrifices and compromises you had to make to accommodate Craig.  I’m truly sorry about all of that and very grateful.  I don’t think Craig would have fully recovered as well as he has if it weren’t for Glen.  And I’ve enjoyed my “chats” with Alex.  He’s put so many things into perspective for me.  I’m almost afraid to see his bill.”


“Don’t worry…”


“No, Brian, you’ve done enough for us.  I’m not helpless nor am I penniless.  If there’s a bill to be paid then I expect to see it and I will deal with it.  Understood?” Susan said with a stern look in her eyes.


“Yes ma’am,” Brian replied without argument.


With Susan supervising the Kinney men, that left Bree and Justin time to say goodbye to Craig.


“Grandpa, when I come to Pittsburgh, can I visit you?” Bree politely asked and called Pittsburgh by its full name not like her Dada although she had picked up that bad habit.


“Yes, Sweetheart, I think that would be very nice,” Craig replied as he hugged his granddaughter.  “If your father doesn’t mind, I’d like that very much,” Craig said.  Justin nodded as Charles came over to say goodbye. 


“If you ever decide to take your lovely lady wife on holiday to London, please visit the gallery,” Charles said with a gallant flare as he handed one of his business cards to Craig.  “I’d personally give you a tour.”


“Thank you.  I’ll discuss it with Susan.  When I’m fully recovered, I’d really like to see your gallery and London,” Craig sincerely replied as he pocketed the card.


“Then perhaps we shall meet again across the pond as they say,” Charles quipped.  “A word of advice from one gentleman to another,” Charles dared then continued before Craig had time to object.  “Treasure what you have; you never know when someone or something may permanently take it away.  And then it will be too late,” Charles advised flicking his eyes at Bree and Justin before Charles walked into the kitchen area to put on the kettle.  All Craig could do was nod.


“Craig, the car’s all packed,” Susan announced as she came into the room.


“I guess that’s my cue,” Craig mumbled as he stood and carefully walked to the door.  Glen and Alex followed. 


Once outside and safely tucked into the front seat of the car, Craig noticed everyone on the lane was there to see them off.  Molly and Taylor were in her car ready to lead Craig and Susan out the gate.


“No slacking, his first appointment is tomorrow afternoon!” Glen shouted at Susan through the car window.  He then wagged his finger at Craig who did his best to ignore Glen.  Glen noticed and was set to attack when Alex stopped him.


“He’s her problem now; let her deal with him.  It’s time to let go,” Alex gently advised placing a loving hand on Glen’s shoulder.


“I hate it when you’re right,” Glen grumbled as he took Alex’s hand into his own.


“I know.  I promise to make it up to you as soon as they leave and I know Brian and Justin are all right,” Alex promised. 


Glen perked up.  “Oooo, can I take you for a ride, doctor?” Glen purred.  Alex rolled his eyes but smiled at his incorrigible spouse.


“You are so lucky I love you,” Alex admonished.


“I love it when you’re right,” Glen said with a wink making Alex laugh.


“WAIT!” came a loud shout as Emmett hurried up the road then tapped furiously on Craig’s window.  When Craig finally lowered the window, complaining about the heat and losing air conditioning, Emmett thrust a large sack into Craig’s hands.  “A little something for the road and later.  Bye, ya’ll!” Emmett stated with a large toothy grin as the window ascended.  Emmett ignored Craig but waved at Susan who couldn’t help smiling and waving back.


With the pleasantries all concluded, Craig Taylor was finally driving off the lane!


For a few moments no one knew what to say as Craig’s car rounded the little bend that would take him out the gate and out of their lives, so to speak.  Justin sighed, loudly, as he turned to give Glen a hug then Alex.  Then all of sudden everyone was hugging and breaking out into nervous laughter.  Annoyed with the over emotionalism, Brian declared a potluck barbeque for later that evening.  Everyone cheered and the little crowd began to slowly disperse as everyone started to go back to their own homes.  That’s when Brian started to hum. Justin laughed before he joined in.  Then John and Gus began to hum the same tune.  With all the laughing, humming, hugs, and back slapping it reminded Debbie of some weird sort of Pride parade.


“Okay, I want to know what the fuck you guys are humming?!” Debbie demanded as she set her feet firmly in the middle of the road.


The boys looked at each other and just shrugged as they started for the conjoined cottages with Glen and Alex in tow.  The humming got a little louder.


“I know where you sleep, Kinney!” Debbie shouted as her demands were ignored. 


It was Glen who relieved Debbie of her curiosity.  “So was your impossible mission a success?” Glen asked above the humming. 


The boys stopped then turned towards Glen.  The lane family laughed as they all finally got it; it was the theme song from Mission Impossible.  Brian and his look-alikes surrounded Glen, all glaring, all with one arched brow.


“Uh, Alex, Babe, a little help here would be nice,” Glen whined as he tried to look through and around the tall men.


“You’re on your own, Honey.  One pissed off Brian Kinney is more than enough.  Four is way too many for me,” Alex said as he linked arms with Justin and kept walking. 


Just then Beau and his pack came barreling down the lane to rescue Glen.


“I’m saved!” Glen declared as the dogs good naturedly yipped and barked.  The boys separated as Little Beau stood on his hind legs with his front paws on Glen’s shoulders.  Little Beau then showed his love for Glen with lots of wet doggy kisses. 


“Um, wait.  Get down you beast,” Glen cried out as Little Beau 'protected' his friend.  “Yuck.  Alex.  Alex!” Glen sputtered as he was slimed by the young Beau.


The lane family laughed as they all felt life begin to shift back to normal.


Alex and Brian exchanged places as Alex went back to extricate Glen from Little Beau’s embraces.


“I can’t take you anywhere,” Alex complained.  “You need a shower.  You smell like a dog.”


“Only if you help,” Glen said as he waggled his eyebrows.  Alex smiled brightly as he readily agreed.


Brian draped one arm across Justin’s shoulders as they slowly continued up the lane toward their cottage.  They stopped just before the path to their front door.  The sun was brilliant up in a nearly cloudless sky and the air was heating up.  It would probably turn out to be another scorching day. 


Keeping Justin under his arm, Brian turned them as he looked over his sanctuary in the middle of nowhere.  Justin placed his hand on Brian’s chest to feel the strong steady heartbeat.  He sensed Brian’s inner calmness.  Stretching up on his toes, Justin give Brian a loving kiss.  Brian reached around to lift Justin higher as their kiss intensified, breaking apart only when air became a necessity.


“So are we still having fun, Big Guy?” Justin asked breathlessly with a mischievous twinkle in those blue eyes.  Rich, soulful hazel eyes twinkled back before they began to darken with lust.


“Let’s find out, Sunshine,” Brian challenged as Justin’s feet hit the ground. 


Brian grabbed Justin’s hand as they ran for their front door.

 

 -end- 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1728