Not So Zen Ben by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Ben and Michael have differing opinions about life and the lane.


Story #74 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 41426 Read: 6664 Published: Jan 18, 2022 Updated: Jan 18, 2022
Story Notes:

Banner by Sabina

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine





Not So Zen Ben

Chapter 1




"Hi, Uncle Ben," Bree called as she walked into the clearing by the stream.  Beau bounded along beside her.


Ben looked up from his seat on the thinking rock.  He had been staring into the water as it bubbled over some rocks.  "Hello," Ben said with a smile for his special 'niece'.


"Am I bothering you?" Bree asked, knowing that many times when people came to the thinking rock, they didn't want to be disturbed.  They might have very important things to think about.


"Not at all," Ben said patting the rock to indicate that Bree should join him.  "I could use a distraction."


"From something serious?" Bree asked as she settled herself beside Ben on the rock.  Beau lay down beside the rock waiting for his ward to move again.


"Kind of..."


"Want to talk about it?"


"I'd rather hear about how your summer is going," Ben said hoping to change the subject.


Bree frowned and shook her head.  "It's okay," she said with a sigh.


"Just okay?"


"It's been weird."


"How so?"


Bree wasn't sure how to answer that question.  She had enjoyed working with her 'clients' in Pittsburgh, and soccer camp had been good.  She had wanted to spend lots of time with her Grandpa Craig while he was on the lane, but that had not happened.  That had made the summer less fun than she had hoped.   She hesitated for another moment or two, and then decided to ask.  "Do you know why my Grandpa Craig doesn't like my Dada?"


"What?  Why are you asking me that?" Ben said all flustered by Bree's sudden question.


"I'm asking you because you're here, and because nobody else will tell me and because I want to know."


"What makes you think that Craig ... doesn't like your Dada?" Ben asked trying to buy some time to think of a way to answer Bree without revealing too much.  He knew Bree's fathers were trying to protect her from Craig Taylor's homophobia and hatred of Brian Kinney.


"We went to Pittsburgh so that Dada and Grandpa Craig wouldn't be around each other, and I see how my grandpa looks at Dada," Bree informed her uncle.


"How does he look at Brian?" Ben asked hoping to understand just how much Bree had figured out on her own.


"Um, it's hard to describe.  It's ... like he's dealing with something off the bottom of his shoe," Bree said fighting back tears that always seemed to arise when she thought about her grandfather and father at the same time.  She hated all the tension she always felt when they were in the same room together, even within the same vicinity of each other.  It made her mad too.  Why couldn't they get along?  She needed to know what it was all about.


Ben's mouth dropped open.  "You feel that?"


"Yes, whenever they have to be together.  They never want to be in the same place at the same time.  Did my Dada do something to Grandpa Craig?"


"Yes, he did."


"What?  My Dada wouldn't hurt anybody.  What could he have done that was so terrible?"


"He married your Dad, sweetheart.  That's what Brian Kinney did," Ben said.


"Huh?"


"Your grandfather did not approve," Ben said.  And that was putting it mildly.


"But Daddy and Dada love each other.  Everybody can see that."


"Yes, everyone knows except your granddad."


"But...?"


"Bree, you should talk to your dads about this," Ben said, wondering if he had already said too much.


"It's because they're two men, isn't it?" Bree asked.


"Yes."


"I don't know why that makes such a big difference to some people.  I just don't get it."


"I know, sweetheart, but there's still a lot of people who feel that way."


Bree shook her head knowing he was right.  What more could she say?  She would try to talk to her fathers about this, but she already knew that probably wouldn't happen.  They seemed to think that if they didn't say anything, it was like it didn't exist. 


Ben and Bree sat in silence for a few minutes. 


Finally, Bree asked what she had first said when she sat down.  "Why are you here, Uncle Ben?  What's bothering you?"


"A lot of things."


"Like what?"


"You are a very persistent young woman."


"Yes, people tell me that all the time."


Ben laughed out loud.  Trust Bree to make him laugh when he felt like shit.  "I'm sort of retiring," Ben said.


"My Dada is sort of retired too."


Ben laughed again.  "Yes, I guess he is."


"Don't you want to retire?"


"I'm still going to teach, just cut back on the amount," Ben explained.


"So, what's the problem?"


"Um..."  Ben did not want to criticize his spouse in front of this young lady.  That was private to themselves.


"Is it Uncle Michael?" Bree asked.


Ben shook his head.  Bree was too smart for her own good.  "I want to stay here on the lane for the rest of the summer.  I'm going to try to write another novel."


"That's great, Uncle Ben.  Doesn't Uncle Michael want you to do that?"


"He doesn't care about the writing part, but he wants to go back to Pittsburgh."


"And you want to stay here," Bree stated.


"Yes, it's much more peaceful and conducive to writing here on the lane.  I'm happy to stay by myself, but Michael wants us both to go back to the city."


"I think you should do what is best for you, Uncle Ben."


"I think I should too," Ben agreed.


"Then what's the problem?"


"An unhappy Michael."


"Oh, and if he's unhappy, so is everyone around him."


"You really are a very perceptive girl," Ben said in admiration.


"I know.  I see a lot more than people think I do."


"Does that make it hard for you?"


Bree thought about that.  "Yes, I guess it does.  If I didn't notice the tension between Grandpa Craig and Dada then I wouldn't have to worry about it."


"Your dads would like you to stay the innocent little girl who is happy all the time," Ben told her.


Bree made a face.  "I know," she said with a sigh.  "But I do have to grow up.  I don't think there's any way to stop it."


Ben laughed.  "Right you are!  And you shouldn't have to worry about all the adults in your life."


"I think worrying is part of growing up."


Ben smiled.  "Yes, I'm afraid it probably is."


"So what are you going to do ... about Uncle Michael, I mean?"


"I don't know.  I was hoping the answer would jump out of the stream and smack me in the face."


It was Bree's turn to laugh.  "I think you should use that image in your novel," Bree suggested.


"Maybe I will," Ben chuckled.


"Do you know what your novel will be about?" Bree asked.


"I have some ideas."


"Care to share?"


"I'm thinking of writing about a gay couple and their family - you know, all the trials and tribulations of life, but also the joy and fun.  I don't want this one to be too gloomy."


"That would be a good idea.  I don't like stories that are all gloom and doom."


"Apparently neither does the reading public."


"So, you need some trials and tribulations, some funny and happy events, and maybe..."  Bree stopped, waiting for her Uncle Ben to finish the statement.


"Maybe...what?" Ben asked.


"Maybe a precocious, funny, charming and beautiful young lady somewhere in the story?"


Ben chuckled.  "Whatever gave you that idea?"


"It's just a suggestion."


"And who would I model this young heroine after?"


"Oh, I don't know," Bree said as she slid off the rock.  Beau was immediately on his feet at her side.  "I'm sure you might be able to think of someone like that."


"I just might be able to," Ben conceded with a smile.


"I bet it would make your book much more fun."


"You could be right," Ben said thoughtfully.


"I usually am," Bree said with a Brian Kinney-like smirk.  "I'll leave you alone and let you do your thinking," she added.  "Oh, and I think you should do what makes you happy, not just what Uncle Michael wants.  That's my opinion for what it's worth."


"Your opinion is worth a lot.  Thanks for the chat."


"And thanks for your information about grandpa and Dada," Bree said.


"Talk to your dads about that," Ben called after Bree as she headed for the edge of the clearing with Beau bounding along beside her.


"I'll think about it," Bree called back before she disappeared down the path.


 


*****

 


“Oh hello!” Alex calmly called out as he saw Bree with Beau emerging from the path that led to the stream. 


Mother Nature was being exceptionally kind to the family on the lane.  The skies were a vivid blue with a smattering of white fluffy clouds.  There was a warm breeze that occasionally shared the scent of Brian’s flowers throughout the lane.  And best of all, low humidity that allowed the exploration of the lane to be a pleasant one.


“Hi, Dr. Alex,” Bree replied as she and Beau walked up to the kindly man.  Alex slowly extended his hand out to Beau to allow for a good sniff.  He stayed calm and still, until he received Beau’s approval.  “How is Mr. Glen?  Did he win the race?”


“Not this time but his team did come in third.  Not bad since they had a couple of new people on their team and Glen’s wheelchair broke down on the last leg of the relay.”


“Did Mr. Glen get hurt?” Bree asked with wide eyes and concern.


“A few scrapes and bruises, nothing that won’t heal.  I think because his pride was hurt was worse than anything, but he’ll get over it.”


“Maybe my Daddy and I could bake some cookies for him.  Does Mr. Glen like cookies?”  Bree looked up into Alex’s eyes, hoping.


“Miss Bree, I know for a fact that Glen loves cookies.  And he doesn’t discriminate.  He loves oatmeal raisin, plain oatmeal, chocolate chip, and sugar cookies,” Alex said with a big grin.


“Sooo, in other words, Mr. Glen just loves cookies,” Bree said with a sly smile.


“You got it.  I hate to admit it but I have one greedy spouse.”  Alex shook his head.  “Too greedy for his own good sometimes.”


“But we can make an exception just this time,” Bree said compassionately.


“I believe we can.  May I escort you back to your cottage, Miss Bree?” Alex asked as he offered Bree his arm.  Bree giggled but took the proffered arm.  Her Dada would do that to her and to her Grandma Jenn too.


“Dr. Alex, can I ask you something?” Bree quietly asked as they slowly approached the garden.


“You may.”


“Is it true that Grandpa Craig hates my Dada?”  Violet blue eyes looked up to Alex seeking the truth.


“Miss Bree, before I answer your question, and I promise to answer it to the best of my ability, I must ask you a few questions first,” Alex stated. 


Bree thought a minute; she wanted to go someplace quiet, comfortable, and private.  “Follow me,” Bree commanded as she led Alex in a roundabout way to the treehouse.  John had brought it to the lane for Patrick, but after a while he had so many other activities he was into that he outgrew the treehouse.  It was Bree who helped to maintain it along with the Wendy house.  Bree loved them both.


“Why haven’t I seen this before?” Alex asked as he followed Bree up the stairs.  “This is remarkable,” he said as he looked around.  “Not that I should be surprised at anything that remotely involves your fathers or your family.”


Seeing a couple of chairs, Alex and Bree brushed off a few leaves then made themselves comfortable.  Bree gazed at Alex in anticipation.


“Okay.  Do you understand what patient – doctor confidentiality is?” Alex asked Bree. 


She appeared to ponder the question but then she replied.  “Is that like client – lawyer confidentiality?  I hear about it all the time with Uncle Bobby and Miss Melanie.  And even Uncle Thomas told me that when he was a priest people would tell him things, but he would never ever tell anyone about it.  Is that it?”


“You’re absolutely correct.  It’s a rule that all doctors are supposed to follow.  Plus there are other laws that protect your privacy, however you are a minor.  Do you know what that means?”


“I’m under eighteen.”


“Correct again.  That means if I think or suspect you’re in danger, it’s my duty to report it to your parents and/or the proper authorities.”  Alex let that one simmer for a few minutes before he went on.  “Bree, your father came to me when he was feeling a little lost.  I can’t discuss what we talked about, but I think he felt better after.  What do you think?”


“I know he was better.  And Daddy was better.  And everyone was better,” Bree said holding her arms out wide making Alex laugh.


“Yes, a happy Brian Kinney does seem to make the surrounding world a little happier too.  So you agree that sometimes it helps to talk to someone, the right someone when you have a problem.”


“Yes I do.”


“And do you want to talk to me?”


“Yes.”


“All right.”  Looking around the treehouse, Alex spied a plastic storage container in a corner.  He rummaged around in it and found a small white board and markers.  He then wrote on it, “The Doctor is In.” 


“Do you have any currency?” Alex asked Bree.  Bree sadly shook her head but then she brightened as she remembered something.


“I know this isn’t real money but can you hold onto this and maybe later I can pay you in cookies?  You do like cookies, don’t you?” Bree asked.  One brow was slightly arched; Alex kept a straight face.


“I’m a bit more particular than Glen, but yes, I will accept your terms,” Alex said as he held out his hand.  Bree placed a very pretty pink pebble onto Alex’s palm.  “That’s an unusual stone.”


“I found it with my Grandma Joan when we were in New York.  I was very little then,” Bree said with a hint of sadness in her voice.


“I shall take very good care of it until I can return it to you.  Now how may I help you?”


“Why does my grandfather hate my father?” Bree asked. 


Alex noted that all the child-like tone was gone.  Here was a young lady who had real concerns and felt some real pain.  So Alex answered as truthfully as he could without breaking Brian’s confidences.  He encouraged Bree to speak with her dads and offered to be a part of the discussions if Bree desired.


“Now I believe our time is up,” Alex stated.  “And I think it’s time for you to start baking some cookies,” Alex reminded Bree with a smile.  Bree gave Alex one of her sunniest smiles along with a hug. 


“Thank you Dr. Alex!  I feel a lot better.”


“Bree, not everything can be solved in an hour,” Alex warned.


“I know but it kinda makes more sense.  Do you know what I mean?”


“Yes, I do.  And I’m glad.  Glen and I will be staying here through Labor Day so we have plenty of time to talk again.  Besides, you’re not getting out of paying me in cookies,” Alex said with a wink.  Bree’s smile widened then she showed Alex the shortcut down.  They both laughed when they reached the bottom of the slide.


“That was fun,” Alex said as he brushed off the back of his jeans. 


Beau, who had stayed at the bottom of the treehouse waiting for Bree, yipped and barked in agreement.


“Dr. Alex, if you don’t mind talking more, I think there’s someone else who might need you,” Bree said as she headed for the conjoined cottages.


“Who?”


“Go to the thinking rock by the stream,” Bree instructed.


“The what?”


“That way,” Bree pointed before she disappeared from view.  Alex just shook his head as he walked toward the stream.


“Communing with nature?” a voice called out making Alex stumble.  “Easy there, pardner,” Ben said as he extended a strong hand to steady Alex who had tripped over a stone in the path.  “What brings you out here?”


“Honestly?  It’s so beautiful out today that I couldn’t resist the call of the wild, so to speak.  Glen’s resting and I just didn’t want to stay inside.  He knows how to get me if he needs me.”


“How’s he doing?”


“Better.  Still not ready to admit he’s not superman but that’ll never change.  He’s stubborn that way.”


“And you love him for that,” Ben remarked with a wistful smile.


“Yes, I do.  Physically, he’s recovering, mentally give him another day or two and he’ll return to his lovable obnoxious self.  Sooner, if Miss Briana has anything to do with it,” Alex said with a laugh.


“And what does Miss Bree have to do with it?  Watch that one, she’ll have you wandering through a frozen forest to chop down a tree for Christmas,” Ben chuckled.


“Forewarned is forearmed.  I believe right about now she’s convincing her parents why it’s imperative that she bake enough cookies to feed a small army.”


“That small army being one pouting Glen Wilder?”


“Got it in one.  She also instructed me to walk to the thinking rock by the stream because there was someone there who needed to talk.  Could that someone be you?”


“Possibly.  But aren’t we all cutting into your vacation time?  Glen told me a long time ago how important your down time is to you.  I think we’ve imposed on you enough this summer,” Ben said as he stared at a clump of day lilies that lined the path.


“This isn’t an imposition; you’re a friend and a good friend to Glen.”  Alex gave Ben a warm smile.


“He’s a special man.  Before I met Michael and knew about you, I almost…”


“He told me.  Glen and I have very few secrets.”


“You’re not jealous?” Ben teased.


“Of a musclebound beefcake like you?  Of course I am!  But he loves me and I love him so much that I can’t breathe thinking about a life without him.  It’s one of the reasons why we’re so honest with each other.”


Alex kept silent for a moment knowing that his silence was giving Ben permission to speak.


“I want to retire, or semi-retire.  At the very least take a sabbatical for a year so I can stay here on the lane.  I want to write.  I have an idea for a book, maybe a series of books about a gay couple and their family.  Their ups and downs, the fun stuff with a little drama thrown in.  And I’ve been advised that the story may require and I quote, a precocious, funny, charming and beautiful young lady, unquote.”


Alex cracked up with laughter.  “Where the hell does that child come up with this stuff?” Alex got out in between laughing.


“I have no idea but I suspect it may have something to do with growing up with a certain tall dark and handsome father of hers,” Ben stated matter-of-factly.


“You could be right but I wouldn’t dismiss the influence of her other father.  After all, there can only truly be one King of Babylon,” Alex said giving Ben a poignant look.  Ben wisely nodded.


“As for your plans, that’s a dream not many can afford, however it’s a worthy dream.  You’re a writer, Ben, find the words that Michael will understand then present your reasons.  You’ve stuck by him, loved him when most men would have given up.  It’s really not my job to take sides but we’ve known each other for a long time, and you deserve this.” 


Ben sucked in a large breath of air then blew it out as he said thank you.  


The men turned and began walking back down the path that would lead them to their homes.


“Had enough of Mother Nature?” Ben asked with a smirk.


“For now,” Alex replied as he swatted away a mosquito.  “I’m thinking it’s time to commune with my partner.”


“Sounds like a plan to me,” Ben agreed as they parted ways.

 

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


Chapter 2


 

Ben walked along the path that led from the thinking rock to the edge of Brian and Justin's yard.  His chat with Dr. Alex had been helpful.  Ben knew what he was going to do, at least he thought he knew what he was going to do.  Dealing with Michael could be challenging, especially  when things weren't going the way Michael wanted them to.


"Hey, Ben," Brian called from where he was on his knees weeding his gardens.  He had looked up just in time to spot the hunky professor going along the path. There was no answer as Ben kept walking, apparently not hearing his name being called.  "Professor!  Earth to Professor Bruckner!" Brian called when no response was forthcoming.


Ben finally looked up and noted Brian staring at him.  He smiled grimly and shook his head.


"What's up, Prof?" Brian asked as he stood up and dusted off his knees.


"I ... I was lost in thought," Ben said not really wanting to tell Brian what was going on.  He would probably take Michael's side anyway.


"No shit!" Brian responded.  "Believe it or not, I had already figured that out."


"Yeah, I guess you would," Ben said with a sigh.


"So spill!"


"It's Michael," Ben said hesitantly.


"Isn't it always?" Brian asked with a smirk.


"He wants to go back to Pittsburgh," Ben said.


"And that's a problem why?"


"Because I don't."


"Oh?"


"Aren't you going to ask why I don't want to go back to Pittsburgh with Michael?"


"I figure if you want me to know, you'll tell me."


"I have some ideas for a new book.  I want to stay here and write."


Brian was about to say something, but thought better of it.  He remained silent and waited for Ben to continue.


"Is that too much to ask?" Ben stated.


Brian still did not say anything.


"You're not much help!" Ben finally declared.


"Never said I could be."


"Then why did you ask?"


"Figured that whatever was bothering you, you might need someone to bounce it off of."


"I guess I did," Ben replied slowly.


"So ... go tell him."


Ben looked in the direction of the log cabin, but he didn't move.


"What's the worst that can happen?" Brian asked.


"He's going to be furious."


"So..."


"I ... I don't like it when Michael's angry and unhappy."


"None of us do," Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.  Ben didn't seem to notice, however.  "Are you going to like it when you go back to the Pitts because that's what Michael wants?"


"No, no I won't like it."


"Then go tell him you're staying here."


Ben's jaw jutted out with resolve.  "Yes I will!"  He started to walk around the cottage.  Before he reached the corner, he turned back.  "Brian, maybe you could do some weeding in our gardens this afternoon?" he asked.


"I can do that."


"Thanks," Ben said before he disappeared around the corner of the house.


Brian watched him leave knowing Ben had silently asked him to be nearby when he broke the news to Michael.  He wasn't sure what he could do, or who he was supposed to support, but he'd be there.


 


*****


 


Ben walked down the lane toward the log cabin he shared with Michael.  He had resolved to stay on the lane for the rest of the summer; now he needed to break that news to Michael.  As he turned up the path toward his house, he saw Michael piling boxes and suitcases into their car.


"Where have you been?" Michael demanded when he heard Ben's footsteps crunching on the gravel.  "I called your cell at least four times."


"I turned the phone off," Ben said staring at the contents of the car.  He could see his suitcase among the other ones already loaded.


"I packed for you, so you'll just have to hope I got all the clothes and items you wanted to take with you."


Ben continued to stare at the loaded car.  "You better take my suitcase out of the car," he said calmly.


"Why?  You got some secret items you need to add?" Michael tried to joke.


"No.  No items.  I'm not going back to Pittsburgh."


"What?  I thought we settled this.  You're coming with me."


"We didn't settle it.  You just stated that you were going, with the implication that I would simply have to go with you," Ben said with a hint of sadness.  He couldn't believe Michael would assume that he would agree to the move, and then pack his bags for him.


"Well, you are coming, aren't you?" Michael asked with defiance in his voice.


"Michael, I just said that I'm not going with you."


"But..."  Michael didn't know what to say.  Ben usually went along with whatever Michael proposed.


"There is no but," Ben declared.  "Take my suitcase out of the car."


"Get it yourself," Michael commanded as he stood with arms crossed and an angry look on his face.  He didn't think Ben would actually do it, but Ben quickly shoved the stuff around in the car and pulled out his belongings.


"Ben?" Michael whined.


"I'm not going, Michael."


"How can you do this to me?" Michael whined again.  "I do everything for you."


"Guilt is not going to cut it," Ben said with resolve.  He picked up his suitcases and headed for the door of the log house.


"Ben!  Ben!"


Ben ignored his husband.  He didn't want to get into a shouting match with his husband.  At this moment he wished Michael would just get in the car and leave.


"Stop, Ben!" Michael demanded as he ran after his husband, grabbing his arm before he could open the door to the log cabin.


"Let go, Michael," Ben said trying to keep his temper.  He tried to pry Michael's fingers from his arm.  Michael was surprisingly strong for someone of his size.  When Michael wanted something, he usually got it, and he wasn't letting go until he got Ben to agree to go with him.  "Michael, stop it!" Ben shouted.  "Let go of me."  He finally yanked his arm out of Michael's grasp.  "Just go to fucking Pittsburgh and leave me alone."


"I don't want to leave you alone.  Please come with me," Michael wheedled.


"I'm not going, Michael.  How many times do I have to tell you?"


"Why?  You can write in Pittsburgh.  You don't have to do it here."


Ben sighed.  "There are too many distractions in Pittsburgh ... you included," Ben chose to add.


"I'm a distraction?" Michael asked genuinely surprised.


"Of course you are.  Usually it's the best kind of distraction," Ben added hoping to soften what he was telling his husband.  "But if I'm going to write, I need peace and quiet and no distractions."


"I can give you peace and quiet in Pittsburgh.  I'll go to work every day and you'll be by yourself to write.  It'll be very quiet," Michael promised.


"And very uninspiring," Ben said with a sigh.


"You find our life in Pittsburgh uninspiring?" Michael demanded.  His voice rose higher and louder with each word.


"I didn't say that.  I find it's much easier to think and write here ... on the lane.  Since I want to write, this is the place to be."


"How can you be so selfish?" Michael exclaimed.


"Me ... selfish!  Look the fuck who's talking!" Ben shouted at him.  The last shred of his patience was gone.


"Are you calling me selfish?  How could you?" Michael shouted back.


"I hate fighting with you but you take things too far.  Go to Pittsburgh, and leave me the fuck alone!" Ben screamed at his husband.


Michael took a step back at the vehemence in his husband's voice and words.  "I'll do just that," Michael stated, once he had regained some equilibrium.  "And I'll enjoy every minute of it without you."


"Good!" Ben yelled at him.


Michael ran to the car, slammed the trunk lid down and got behind the wheel.  He started the car and backed it out onto the lane.  As he did, he almost hit Glen who was wheeling down the lane in his chair.  Brian ran over from where he had been listening to the shouting match and trying to decide if he should intervene.


"You okay?" he asked Glen who nodded in reply.  He was quite shaken by nearly being hit by Michael's car.


"I'm in one piece," Glen said uncertainly.


"What the hell was that?" Drew called out as he ran over from Emmett's cottage.  "Was that Michael?  He damn near drove right into you."


"I know," Glen said.


Ben ran out from the log cabin having seen Michael nearly kill Glen.  "I'm so sorry," he told Glen as he watched Michael's car careening down the lane.


"It wasn't your fault."


"I made him angry."


"We heard," the three men said together.  Ben just shook his head.


Michael slowed at the bend in the lane.  He glanced in the rearview mirror and saw his husband standing with Brian, Drew and Glen.


"Fuck!" he shouted as he pushed the button to open the gate.


The guys stared at Michael’s taillights for a second before he disappeared.  Brian then suggested that Ben and Drew take Glen into the cabin while Brian sprinted across the lane to his cottage to get Alex.  Alex was “helping” with the cookie production.


“Hey, Squirt, do you mind if I borrow Alex for a while?” Brian asked as he entered the kitchen.  He had made a conscious effort to calm himself before entering the house.


Alex was sitting on the other side of the counter watching the cookie production.  Apparently his baking skills weren’t up to Bree’s (and Justin’s) standards so they thought it best that he supervise from the other side of the counter.  They did allow Alex to taste test some chocolate chips, several raisins and a few cookies which kept him satisfied.


“Sure, Dada!” Bree replied with a bright smile.  Justin looked up from his mixing bowl to give Brian a look.  Brian slightly shook his head while mouthing “later.”  Justin nodded with understanding.


“Thank you, Squirt.  I’m sure he’ll be back for your cookies a little later,” Brian promised.  “Come on, Doc, time’s a-wasting,” Brian teased as he casually took Alex’s arm to lead him out of the house.  Sensing that something was going on, Alex didn’t argue.  He smiled and allowed himself to be led.


“What happened?” Alex asked the minute they cleared the front door and were away from little ears.


 “Michael happened.  Move it!” Brian ordered as he tugged on an arm and began to run.  Alex had no choice but to follow.  A minute later they flew through the cabin door.  “Ben?” Brian shouted.


“Here!” Ben called out from the kitchen. 


“Babe?” Alex said the minute he saw Glen who was a bit pale from his ordeal.  Alex knelt in front of the wheelchair.  “Who do I have to kill?” Alex asked in a serious tone.  Glen smiled as he reached out to caress his lover’s face.


“No one, Babe.  It was a stupid accident and I’m really not hurt.  More scared than anything else,” Glen assured Alex as he explained.


“I’m so sorry,” Ben murmured, mortified at what had transpired.


“It’s not your fault.  I don’t think Michael even knew what happened,” Glen said; his eyes never left Alex’s.


“Maybe not but he should have been more careful,” Ben said sadly.  “What are you doing?” Ben asked Brian.  Brian was taking liberties rummaging through the kitchen cabinets.


“Looking for coffee,” Brian grumbled.  Ben pushed Brian aside as he took out the fixings for the coffeemaker.  Ben then pointed at a cupboard.  Brian took the hint, and opened the cupboard to find the coffee mugs.  In the meantime Drew called Emmett to let him know where he was and to fill him in.   Drew assured Emm that he wasn’t needed at the moment but Drew would definitely offer his services.  Drew slid a chair over for Alex which he gratefully accepted so he could sit next to Glen.


“Does this mean you’re a bachelor for the summer?” Alex asked Ben when he sufficiently calmed down.  He was only remotely kidding about the offer to kill someone.


“Yes, I think I am.  Michael should be halfway to Pittsburgh by now,” Ben remarked as he poured out the coffee.


“Are you okay with this?  You guys have been together forever,” Drew remarked.  “It’s bound to feel a little weird.”


“Just being with Mikey is weird,” Brian mumbled around his mug.


“Not helping,” Glen sing-songed.  Brian shrugged.


“Brian’s right,” Ben said with a sigh.  “Look, guys, I know you all think I’m nuts for loving Michael and for sticking with him all these years.”  Ben looked at the men in the room who were making a point of trying to keep blank faces except for Brian.  Brian rolled his eyes and sort of had a constipated look on his face.  The men stared at him.


“What?” Brian snapped. 


Ben patted his back.  “I can’t change what I am and I can’t change the fact that I love Michael Novotny with all my heart.”


“Even when he’s being an ass?” Glen asked.


“Even then.”


“Well that’s that.  You just better be prepared to kiss his ass when your book is published,” Glen declared as he raised his coffee mug.  The guys agreed.


Brian snorted.


 


***** 


 


“Ma?”


“Michael?  Where are you?”


“Home.  In Pittsburgh, I mean.”


“What are you doing there?  You didn’t say goodbye.  Wait just a fucking minute!  I just saw Ben outside about ten minutes ago.  How can you be home?”


“He left me.”


“What do you mean, he left you?”


“Just what I said; Ben left me!”


“How can he leave you when he’s here and you’re there?  And who did he leave you for, that is if he did leave you which he couldn’t have?”


“He left me for a book.”


“A what?  Michael, we must have a bad connection or something because I thought I heard you say he left you for a book.  And that can’t be right.  And how can he leave you when he’s still here on the lane?  Michael, you’re not making any sense!”


“Ma, will you listen to me, please!”


“Okay, Sweetheart, start from the beginning, slowly.”


“Ben wants to take time off from teaching to write a book and he wants to do it on the lane.”


“But that’s wonderful!”


“Ma!”


“That isn’t wonderful?”


 “No it isn’t.”


“Why?”


“Because he wants to stay on the lane!”


“Michael, I may be old but I’m not deaf; you don’t have to shout at me.”


“Sorry, Ma.”


“Why is it wrong for Ben to stay on the lane?  Didn’t he take time off to stay with you on the lane when you were sick?  You were here for a long time.”


“That’s different.”


“How is that different?  He practically quit his job for you.  He did everything he could to make sure you were comfortable and that the house and the store were well taken care of so all you had to concentrate on was getting better.  So what’s wrong with him wanting to take..., what do they call it?”


“A sabbatical.”


“Yeah, that’s it.  A sabbatical, so he can write and then who knows, if his book sells, maybe he’ll retire for good!”


“Oh great, then he’ll never leave the lane.”


“Oh for fuck sake, what bee crawled up your ass?”


“MA!”


“Well?  Why are you acting like an asshole?”


“Because you should be on my side.”


“Honey, I’m always on your side.  You’re my son and I love you.  But it’s time for you to man up.  If Ben wants to stay on the lane to write then you should support his decision.”


“Ma…”


“Don’t interrupt me.”


“Sorry, Ma.”


“You be supportive and give Ben his space.  I’m sure when he starts to miss you he’ll call.  Better yet, plan on spending some weekends here.  Maybe he’ll surprise you and have his bags ready to go back home with you.”


“Yeah, yeah!  Good idea, Ma.”


“Of course, it’s a good idea.  Now get some rest.  Everything will look better in the morning and give my granddaughter a big kiss for me.  Why doesn’t that rich girlfriend of hers bring her up here?”


“I don’t know, Ma, but I’ll find out.”


“You do that, Michael.  Love you, Sweetheart.”


“Love you, Ma.”


“That was Michael?” Carl asked as he put down the book he was reading.


“Some detective you are.  Of course it was Michael.”


“What happened now?”


“You weren’t listening?”


“I try not to.”


“Thank you, Honey, but I wish you had.  Short story, Ben is here planning on writing and Michael is back home in Pittsburgh.”  


“For how long?”


“Good question.  I don’t think Michael will do too well on his own.  He’s grown to rely on Ben.”


“I know, Babe.  But don’t sell Michael short.  Maybe he’ll surprise us.”


“I hope so.”


 


*****


 


“What happened this afternoon?” Justin asked as he gently rubbed a foamy puff across Brian’s chest.  It was late, the lane and their cottage were quiet; it was Brian and Justin time.


“Ben’s decided to stay on the lane to write.  He wants to take a sabbatical.  I think he’s earned it but Michael doesn’t see it that way.  Michael left in a huff to go back to the Pitts.”


“Sounds like Michael.”  Justin gently turned Brian so that he could wash Brian’s back.


“Yes, it does.  Unfortunately, when Michael was backing out of his driveway he wasn’t paying attention; he nearly ran over Glen.”


“Oh my God!” Justin exclaimed.  Brian turned, gathering the smaller man into his arms.


“It really was an accident.  He couldn’t see Glen.”  Brian took the puff, added more soap then gently ran the puff up and down Justin’s arms.  “Glen’s all right.  Shaken up but not hurt.”


“That’s why you got Alex.”


“Yes, I wanted Alex to check Glen out.  Besides, Alex needed to know.”  Brian became silent.


“What is it?” Justin softly asked.


“I don’t want anyone else on our lane, Sunshine.  It’s full.  We’re done giving out parcels of land to every tom, dick or asshole.”


“Brian, that’s your anger talking.”


“Maybe, but I mean it.”


“For now, you mean,” Justin said reasonably with a coy smile.  It was a smile that did things to Brian’s heart and to other important parts of Brian’s body.


Justin looked down between them to see just how well his smile worked.


“Now, want you now,” Justin whispered above the cascading water.  Brian reached for an ever present packet of lube to quickly prepare his spouse then drove himself home deep within Justin.


“Love you,” Brian whispered into Justin’s ear as he made love to Justin.

 

“Love you,” Justin repeated as Brian took them closer and closer to the edge and then over.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


 


Chapter 3


 


 


 


“You’re clinging,” Glen stated as he and Alex cuddled.  They had snuggled close all night long and it appeared that Alex had no intention of releasing his grip on his spouse any time soon.


“I’m allowed,” Alex replied sharply then waited for a typical Glen comeback.  When none was forthcoming Alex turned his head to look Glen in the eyes.


“What?”


“No acerbic remark?” Alex asked.


“What would be the point?  You’re a shrink.  You can come up with a thousand valid reasons why we should stay like this for the rest of the day,” Glen said with an exaggerated sigh.


“And you’re a clinical psychologist with more letters behind your name than I have.  If anyone can come up with a counterpoint it’s you.”


“Well, maybe I don’t want to argue.  Maybe I like it when you’re clingy sometimes,” Glen said in an almost whisper.  Then Alex got it.


“Shit, that fucking asshole scared you.  He really scared you.  I swear I’m going to Pittsburgh and I’m going to wring his neck,” Alex growled as he tried to get out of bed but Glen hung on.


“No, Babe, you’re staying right here with me,” Glen calmly stated as he securely wrapped his strong arms around his husband until he felt Alex calm down.  It wasn’t often that Alex got really angry.  Alex’s temperament truly suited his profession unless it involved Glen. 


“I need you,” Glen whispered.  Alex immediately stopped struggling and returned to Glen’s side.


“I’m here; I’m not going anywhere,” Alex murmured as he peppered Glen’s face with soft kisses.  “What are you feeling?”  Alex sensed a struggle within Glen.


“For a moment, just for a split second, I had that same feeling when I fell.  When I knew my life had been forever changed,” Glen admitted.  Alex pulled Glen closer, holding him tighter as he remembered the accident that permanently put Glen in his chair.  


“Do you know how much I love you?  How so in love I am with you?” Alex said as he held Glen’s face and gazed directly into his eyes.  The fear was suddenly gone; Glen’s strength was once again in the forefront.  He smiled lovingly at Alex then Glen’s smile turned into a mischievous smirk.  Alex knew his Glen was back.


“Sooo, you wanna to do the nasty with me?”  Glen batted his eyes making Alex burst out laughing.  Glen laughed too.  A laughing Alex was so much better than an Alex that was contemplating murder.


“On one condition.”


“Great; so we’ve been together for such a long time that now we need specific caveats fulfilled in order to make love?”


“No, you idiot.  But we’ve been laying in this bed all night long.  I’ve got to pee, your stomach’s been growling for the past hour and a half, and we both have a serious case of morning breath that could knock out King Kong!  Why don’t we take care of business then we come back to bed?  We can even bring back some snacks.”


“Oooo!  Maybe make some mimosas?”


“I don’t see why not.”


“Race ya!” Glen shouted as he grabbed his legs, swung them over the edge of the bed then quickly transferred himself to his wheelchair.  He was off and heading to the bathroom before Alex got one foot on the floor.  Alex just shook his head as he thanked all that he held holy for his Glen.


 


*****


 


The Kinney-Taylors were enjoying breakfast that had been prepared by the ex-Stud of Liberty Avenue.  Brian picked at the French toast that everyone else was devouring.  He sipped his coffee and sat back watching his family.


"When did you add French toast to your breakfast repertoire?" Gus asked. 


"Dada started making it quite a while ago," Bree said.  "It gets better every time he makes it."


"Thanks, Squirt," Brian replied sticking his tongue in his cheek.


Justin smiled and patted Brian's hand.


"It's excellent French toast," Ray stated.


"When are you guys leaving?" Brian asked.


"We're all packed, so we'll leave right after breakfast," Ray told him.


"Do you hafta go?" Bree pouted.


"We do," Gus said.  "I'll miss you."


"Not as much as I'll miss you," Bree countered.


"More."


"Unh, unh."


"Stop it, you two," Justin chastised.


"It's just a game, Daddy," Bree stated practically.  "But I will miss you a lot, Gus."


"What about me?" Ray asked.


"Probably more than my annoying brother," Bree told him with a mischievous grin.


"Brat!" Gus responded.


"Am not," Bree giggled.


"Okay, enough," Ray said.  "I'm sorry I asked.  I'm going to get our bags and load the Jeep.  Thanks for the great breakfast, Mr. Kinney."


"Don't you think it's time you called me Brian?"


"Is it?" Ray asked surprised.


"I'd say so," Brian said with a smirk.  “Or did you forget that I gave you permission?  Then again, I did fire you,” Brian said with a mock scowl.


"Okay ... Brian," Ray said with a smile.  "I'll just grab the bags." 


"Are you going to New York first, or straight to Toronto?" Brian asked Gus.


"We're going to Toronto and then London, hopefully Paris after that."


"Wish I could come," Bree said hopefully.


"Not this time, Squirt," Brian said rubbing her shoulder.


"I know," Bree sighed.  "Will you come back here before school starts?" Bree asked her brother.


"We'll see."


Bree sighed again as Gus got up from the table.  "I love you," Bree said.


Gus kissed the top of her head.  "We better get this show on the road," he said as he headed for the door. 


They all followed him out giving hugs and kisses before the two men climbed into the Jeep.


"Be safe," Brian whispered to his son.


"Always, Pop."


The Jeep pulled away and the rest of the Kinney-Taylor family watched it disappear down the lane.


"I wish Gus could stay here," Bree commented wistfully.


"I know, sweetheart," Justin replied giving his daughter a hug.  "But Gus and Ray have jobs to do."


"I wish I had a job."


"You just came back from meetings with your clients," Justin reminded her.  "That's a job?"


"Daddy, you know I'm too young to really have clients," Bree stated with skepticism.


"Which is why you're too young to have an actual job," Brian said.


"I know," Bree sighed.


"Enough sighing for one day," Brian said firmly.


"Okay, Dada," Bree agreed stifling another sigh that had threatened to escape.


 


*****


 


Ben yawned and took a sip of his tea.  Clad in his pajama bottoms he walked out onto the back deck of the large cabin.  He drew in a long breath, smelling the fresh country air.  He knew deep in his heart that he had made the right decision to stay on the lane.  Even if Michael was furious with him, he needed to do this for his own well-being.  Michael had not called yesterday or this morning.  It had been a long time since they had spent time apart and not talked.  He had been tempted to call Michael himself, but thought better of it.  If Michael was still angry, it would be a very unpleasant call.  When Michael got over his anger, he would call on his own.


Ben pulled the chaise out into the sunlight and sat down stretching out his long legs.  He set his tea down on the small table beside the chaise.  He'd go make some breakfast for himself in a few minutes, but right now he just wanted to relish the silence.


The silence did not last long.


"Ben, Ben, oh you're out here," Debbie said as she came out onto the deck.  "I looked all over the house.  I was beginning to think..."


"That I'd gone chasing after Michael?"  Ben finished her sentence.  He shook his head thinking that everyone thought he was Michael's patsy.  Well, not this time.  "Not this time," he said aloud.


"I don't like it when you two fight."


"I don't like it either," Ben said softly.  "But I'm not giving in."


"I ... understand."


"Do you?"


"I see how often Michael gets his way.  I'm amazed at your patience with him."


"Really?"  Ben could hardly believe what he was hearing.


"Don't get me wrong.  I love my son, but he can be a ... selfish little shit sometimes."


Ben laughed.  "You don't say."


"And other times Michael has a heart of gold."


"Yeah, he does."


"Are you guys going to be okay?" Debbie asked.


"I think so.  Just give it some time."


"Speaking of time, I brought you my version of an Egg McMuffin.  It's on the kitchen table."


"You didn't have to do that, Deb."


"I know I didn't.  I wanted to.  Come, eat."


Ben got up from the chaise and retrieved his mug.  "I made a pot of tea.  Care to join me?"


"I think that would be lovely," Debbie said as she followed Ben inside.


 


*****


 


Debbie had left a while ago.  They had had a fruitless discussion about Michael.  Debbie knew her son's faults, but she loved him totally and was willing to overlook most of them.  At least she hadn't completely taken Michael's side and told Ben that he should get his ass to Pittsburgh and make up with her son.  Ben didn't think that was going to happen this time.  He was prepared to stand his ground. 


Ben decided to return to the deck, enjoy the sun and think about his book.  He slipped on a pair of skimpy shorts and slathered himself with sunscreen.  He grabbed his notebook and sunglasses and headed out.  The sun was strong so Ben knew he wouldn't stay too long.  He stretched out on the chaise holding his notebook on his lap as he thought about what he wanted to write.


He opened the notebook after a few minutes.  He jotted down some ideas: gay couple, happy marriage, children, maybe a Bree clone.  Ben smiled.  That child was one of a kind, just what you needed for a character in a novel.


Emmett came around the side of the log cabin.  He carried a small basket of muffins.  He had knocked on the front door but there was no answer, so he was hoping that Ben would be out back.  Emmett had heard about the incident with Glen from Drew, and he wanted to let Ben know that he was not taking sides, but would be there if Ben needed him.


As Emmett reached the back of the house, he glanced up at the deck to see if Ben was there.  He gave a little gasp as he saw what he thought was a naked Ben lying in the chaise.  The notebook covered the most essential area, but the rest of what Emmett could see was mighty fine.


"Oh, my, my, my," Emmett gasped.


Ben sat up startled.  His notebook fell to the deck and Emmett gave another gasp.  He had expected to see Ben naked, but he quickly realized that his friend had on a pair of skimpy shorts.  That was probably a good thing.


"Hey, Emmett," Ben said as he swung his legs over the edge of the chaise.  "What's up?"


"Um, I, You...!"


"What?"


"I...um...thought for a moment that you didn't have anything on," Emmett stammered, trying to get himself under control.


Ben laughed.  "Would that be such a bad thing?" he asked coyly.


"No, not bad at all.  I was kind of looking forward to it," Emmett chuckled as he mock fanned himself.  "You are one fine looking man hunk."


Ben laughed again.  "Well, thanks very much.  At my age it's nice to be thought of as a ... man hunk."


"You are definitely hunky, my friend."


"Besides building my ego, what are you doing here?" Ben asked as he stood up.


"Drew told me what happened with Michael and Glen.  I can't believe Michael didn't stop and check if Glen was all right."


"I found that hard to fathom too," Ben said with a sigh.  "Michael usually cares about ... people.  He was so angry at me."


"Why was he angry at you?" Emmett asked.


"Um, it's a long story.  Let's go inside and have a coffee."


"Perfect!" Emmett responded.  "I brought muffins."


"What a lovely coincidence," Ben laughed as he opened the sliding door and stepped into the cabin.


Emmett watched the firm bum in the skimpy shorts, and the strong muscular legs and the rippling muscles of Ben's back shiny with sunscreen.  "My, my, my," Emmett whispered to himself.  "Mighty fine, mighty fine."  He fanned himself with his hand.


"Are you coming?" Ben called from the kitchen.  "I'm making coffee."


"Be right there," Emmett called back as he took a deep breath and tried to clear his head.  "Muffins," he said decisively as he stepped into the kitchen.


 


*****


 


As Gus and Ray reached the outskirts of Pittsburgh Ray began to fidget.


“What’s wrong?” Gus asked.


“Did you confirm our travel plans yet?” Ray asked.


“Not really.  I wanted to speak with Cynthia first.  Why?”


“We’ve been away from home for almost two months.  And we might be traveling for a few more months; I’d really like to see my parents before we go,” Ray said.  Gus reached over to pat Ray’s thigh.


“I’ve been a selfish shit, haven’t I?


“No, you haven’t but you and your family are used to traveling.  I’ve lived in New York all my life, I miss it.  I miss our apartment.  I miss our bed.”  Gus gently rubbed Ray’s leg with understanding.


“Yeah, I miss it too.  And now we’re off again.  I could go by myself,” Gus offered.


“That’s not an option.  Your dad instructed both of us to go for a reason and I accept that traveling is part of the business.  Especially since he’s grooming you to take over one day.  He traveled for Kinnetik and you will too.”


“I get it. This summer has been different,” Gus sighed.  “Pop and Jus needed us there because of Craig.  Under normal circumstances we would have been home in a week or two.”  Gus became quiet as the wheels were turning in his head.


“What are you thinking?” Ray asked.


“That we should check in with Cynthia and conference with Stacy.  Let’s go to the loft. I think I left one of my favorite shirts there anyway.  If Cynthia okays it, we’ll go to Kinnetik tomorrow to confirm our plans.  Ted still likes to book my tickets.”


“Can’t you do it?” Ray whined.  “He always puts us someplace with no leg room.”  Ray wasn’t as tall as the Kinney men but he wasn’t short either. 


Gus chuckled.  “Okay, short stuff, quit yer whining.”


“I’ll show you short, Kinney, thems fightin’ words!” Ray retorted.


“That a promise?”


“You betcha.”


“Well all right,” Gus crowed as he pulled into his dad’s parking spot near the Tremont building. 


The boys wrestled their bags into the building and then up to the loft.  Since they didn’t have to report to Kinnetik until the next day they had plenty of time to look for Gus’ shirt and for other activities.


 


*****


 


“Dad, what’s wrong?” JR asked.  She couldn’t help notice that her father wasn’t a happy camper.  Several empty cardboard boxes in the storeroom had greatly suffered the wrath of Michael Novotny.


“Nothing!” Michael spouted.


“Sure looks like a whole lot of something to me,” JR murmured but she knew when not to push her dad.  JR figured he'd talk to her when he was good and ready.  “I’m going to the diner for some coffee and lemon bars.  Do you want anything?” JR said as she grabbed her purse and headed for the door.


“No,” Michael said in a pitiful tone from behind the counter.  “Yeah, maybe a lemon bar or two.”


“Okay, Dad!” JR stated.  Her spirits perked up knowing that the Liberty Diner lemon bars had magical powers to cheer up her father.


“And coffee, light and sweet,” Michael shouted as JR was halfway out the door. 


“Coffee, light and sweet.  Got it.  Be back soon!” JR acknowledged as she headed for the diner.  It was beautiful out so JR decided to walk.  She was back soon enough with her treats then witnessed the famed lemon bars work their magic.


“Ben left me,” Michael admitted as he was wiping down the display counter.


“Excuse me?”


“You heard me, your stepfather left me.”


“I don’t believe it.  Ben loves you!”


“Yeah, well he has a funny way of showing it.  He didn’t come home with me.”


“Wait a minute, I thought you said he left you.  You mean you left Ben at the cabin?”  Michael nodded.  “So you left him.”  JR narrowed her eyes, looking more and more like her mother.


“Same thing,” Michael insisted.  He couldn’t fathom why JR wasn’t taking his side.  First his mother and now his daughter.


“Don’t give me that look.  I’m not taking sides,” JR stated, almost reading her father’s mind.  “But by leaving the lane before you and Ben worked things out really means you left him.  Now my question is, why?” she quickly asked before Michael could put up an argument.


“He wants to take time off to write another book and he wants to do it on the lane.  He says that Pittsburgh is too distracting,” Michael huffed as he crossed his arms over his chest.


“Yeah and...”


“Isn’t that enough?”


“Enough what?  What I’ve heard so far doesn’t sound like a problem to me.  Is Ben having an affair or tricking?”  JR shuddered.  Even the thought of Ben cheating on her dad sounded ludicrous.


“What?  No, of course not.  But I don’t understand why he has to write all the way over there when he has a perfectly good home here, with me and our friends.”


“Maybe that’s your problem, you don’t understand.  You don’t want to understand.”  Michael sputtered, growing red in the face.  “Hear me out.  I love you, Daddy, but sometimes you don’t see the whole picture,” JR said choosing her words carefully.


“How…”


“I’m not finished,” JR quickly added before her father could go off on a tirade. 


“Anyone who knows Ben also knows that he loves you.  And he’d do just about anything for you.  He was a rock when you were sick.  He organized everything so all you needed to do was get better.  And Uncle Brian practically built the B&B cottage for you and Ben so that you could recover and get therapy.  I know Ben had a lot of input regarding the B&B.”


JR let that simmer a moment before going on.


“I love you, Dad.  You’re the only father I have, but I love Ben too.  He deserves this time to write or even just to be lazy and get a great tan.  Don’t be an ass and mess up your marriage over this.  Who knows, maybe you’ll figure out that you can semi-retire too and spend more than three seconds in your cabin that you harassed everyone to build for you.”


“I did not harass anyone!”


“Bullshit!  You knew Uncle Bri only wanted cottages on the lane but you pestered him into a log cabin.  Uncle John had all these great ideas to make the cabin look pretty and fit in, but no, you had to push and shove to make the cabin into a log mansion.  Well, you got what you wanted so it’s time to show some appreciation!”


JR grabbed the dusting cloth out of Michael’s hand and flung it toward the backroom.  She stomped her way toward the office, went in then slammed the door behind her.  Michael was about to spew forth a few expletives when the bell on the door jingled and several kids with parents walked in looking for their favorite comics.  Michael quickly put on his shop owner’s face to greet his customers.  Whatever he was going to say to JR would have to wait.       


“Hi,” JR quietly said into her phone.


“Hi yourself.  Why are you whispering?” Jacqueline asked.


“Because I don’t want my father to hear.”


“What’s he done now?” Jacqueline asked with an exaggerated sigh.


“Only gone and did something stupid like leaving Ben.  Ben's still at their cabin in the country.”


“What?”


“Exactly.  Listen, do you have time to take a short vacation?”


“I own the fucking company; I can take off any time I like,” Jacqueline retorted sharply.  “You’re thinking of staying at the cabin with Ben for a few days?”


 “Only to get the real story.  My dad isn't very…”


“Forthcoming?”


“That’s one way of putting it.”


“I’m in.  Besides, I’ve never been to the lane.”

 

“Then I think it’s about time,” JR stated emphatically.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


 


Chapter 4


 


 


 


After a fast week in New York City that consisted of extensive visiting with Ray’s family, and a much needed airing of their apartment, the boys were back on the road heading for Toronto.  Melanie had been the “big cheese” in charge for several months.  She was looking forward to going home and for some down time.  She was ready to turn over the reins to Gus and Ray. 


Kinnetik North had also hired a new branch manager.  Shelly Weinstein was a recent graduate from a local university.  She had grown up in the Toronto area so she knew the city well.  Most importantly Shelly knew the diversity of its people and its businesses.  Both Cynthia and Brian had a few reservations about turning over their fledgling agency to a fledging manager who had neither an artistic background nor an advertising background.  But what Shelly did have was a lot of chutzpah and that, in Melanie’s eyes, made her worth her weight in gold.  Ted pointed out that Melanie would have never hired Shelly if she thought Shelly couldn’t handle the job.  So to be fair, Cynthia and Brian gave Shelly a six month trial period.  So far, Shelly had braved the Melanie Marcus storm and come out unscathed.  Next up was Gus and Ray.


“So who is this Shelly person?” Ray asked Gus.  Gus was trying to catch a few minutes shut-eye before landing in Toronto.  He wasn’t very successful.  “Are you listening?” Ray asked as he poked Gus in the ribs.


“Hey!  What’s wrong with you?”


“I don’t like being ignored.”


“I’m not ignoring you.  I’m trying to sleep.”


“You slept all night.”


“No, you slept all night.  I, on the other hand, was reviewing personnel files including that Shelly person,” Gus said smugly as he readjusted his neck pillow.


“And...?”


“And what?”


“Doesn’t this piss you off?”


“What are you talking about?”


“That Shelly person is taking the job your father promised you!” Ray stated bitterly.


“Hey, hey,” Gus began gently, “it’s not like that.”  Gus lovingly patted Ray’s arm.  “Look, Pop and me had a very long talk.  And as much as the thought of running my own Kinnetik branch really appeals to me I don’t want to be this far from home, plus I’m not ready.”  Ray was about to protest.  “Yeah, I know, I could do it if I want to but do I really want to?  I mean now, at this time in my life.  In our life?  Look at all the shit you gave me for staying on the lane for so long.  Unless you feel like relocating to Canada, this seems like the best solution.”


“Do we still fly back and forth?”


“For now.  That’s another reason not to be tied down to one branch, we still get to visit each Kinnetik.  We’re going to London soon, for fuck’s sake and maybe Paris.  And New York remains our home base.”


“Until we have to move to Pittsburgh.”


“Ray, we don’t have to move anywhere.  You’re right, my dad has this dream stuck in his head about me taking over Kinnetik and living at the loft.”


“Yeah, my dad has a similar dream about me taking over his business one day,” Ray said with some sadness.


“Another reason why moving to Canada isn’t such a great idea.  If we stay in New York, you can still do it.”


“And work for Kinnetik at the same time?”


“Nothing says you can’t work at Kinnetik and work for your dad as a part time consultant.  Anything is possible in business.  Look at my day dad, he’s been working remotely for years although that’s not what he’d call it.”


“No he’s been calling it semi-retirement.  And my dad is nowhere near retiring.”


“There ya go.  So let’s not sweat this Shelly person.  Besides, Momma likes her,” Gus said with a smirk.


“So that makes it okay?” Ray asked.  Gus shrugged then closed his eyes with a sigh just as the captain announced their approach to the Toronto airport.  Gus’ eyes snapped open then narrowed as he scowled at Ray.  Ray smiled innocently at his partner.


 


*****        


 


"How the fuck much farther is this place?" Jacqueline demanded as she drove down the interminable country road.


"We're almost to the General store, and it's not far from there," JR replied trying not to take offense at her partner's words.


"General store?" Jacqueline asked.  "Are we going back in time as well as into the fucking middle of nowhere?"


"It's not that bad," JR said softly.


"If I see another forest, I'm going to start burying nuts!"


JR giggled in spite of being really annoyed at Jacqueline's critical comments about everything.  "I'll help you bury them," JR said with a smile at Jacqueline.  "You knew we were going to the country."


Jacqueline paid no attention to the smile.  "The country, yes," she said.  "But not another country in a different time warp."


"It's not that bad."


"I'm telling you right now that I'm not sleeping in a fucking falling down, ramshackle log cabin!"


JR drew in a breath at that comment.  Should she tell her griping partner that they actually could have been staying in a log cabin, her father's log cabin?  She thought maybe she'd keep that piece of information to herself until they got to the lane.


"Want to stop for ice cream at the General store?" JR asked.  "It's just around the bend coming up."


"I just want to get to this god forsaken place before nightfall," Jacqueline complained.


"It's two in the afternoon," JR reminded her.


"And we've been driving for hours."


"You are such a baby sometimes.  Don't you ever leave the city?"


"Not unless I have too."


JR heaved a big sigh.  "We came out here to enjoy some peace and quiet and get away from the city.  If you hate the country so much, we should just turn around and go back."


"I'm not driving for another twelve hours back to Pittsburgh," Jacqueline declared.


"You haven't even been driving for two hours," JR reminded her.


"Seems like twelve."


"That was the General store that you just blew by," JR said looking over her shoulder at the General store receding from view.  And with it was her hopes for a yummy ice cream cone.  "I would have liked some ice cream."


"Too late."


"Remind me to never go on a long road trip with you.  One of us won't come back from that."


"Are you sure we're both going to come back from this trip?" Jacqueline asked, but her mouth curved up in a smile.  "I'd go anywhere with you, sugar."


JR turned her head and smiled at her lover.  This was the Jacqueline that she cherished - the one who was sweet and caring and ... not complaining.  "Slow down!" JR commanded.


"Why?"


"Because we're here."


"Here?  Where?  I don't see any houses," Jacqueline said looking around.


"Pull into this next lane," JR ordered.


Jacqueline did as instructed and was quickly confronted by a big wrought iron gate.  "Is this it?" she asked.


JR nodded.  "Pull up to that post and push the button."


Jacqueline did as instructed. 


"Who is it?" Justin's voice asked.


"JR and Jacqueline," Jacqueline replied.


"I'll let you in and meet you at the B&B."


"B&B?" Jacqueline asked as the gate swung open.


"Since you don't want to stay in a log cabin, I thought we'd take the B&B," JR said with a smirk.  She had arranged this with Justin before they left Pittsburgh.  She didn't want to stay with Ben when he was trying to write, and she hadn't yet told him that they were coming.  She wanted it to be a surprise, a pleasant surprise she hoped.


"Just follow the lane," JR said.  "This is called Edna's Treasures Lane."


"That's a weird name."


"You'll have to get Brian and Justin to tell you the story about it."


"Maybe I will," Jacqueline replied.  "Oh my fucking god!  Look at this place," she exclaimed as they whizzed by Emmett’s cottage; some of the cottages of the lane were coming into view.  Jacqueline could hardly believe her eyes.  "This ... This isn't rustic at all.  Except for that!  Is that actually a thatched roof cottage?"


"Yes, it is.  Grandma Deb and Carl live there."


"No shit!"


"No shit," JR giggled.  "That's the B&B there," she said pointing.  "Pull over."


Jacqueline brought the car to a stop in front of the large B&B.  It looked like a pretty nice place to stay.  Maybe this time in the country wouldn't be so bad after all.


"Ladies," Justin said as he came down the lane and arrived at their car.  He opened the door for JR while Jacqueline climbed out of her side of the car.  "Welcome to Edna's Treasures Lane."


"JR says I should ask you about that name," Jacqueline said with a smile.


Justin chuckled.  "It's kind of a long story.  Why don't you two join us for a barbecue this evening and I'm sure we can take you through it."


"That sounds good."


"Let's get your bags inside," Justin said.


Jacqueline popped the trunk of the car and Justin helped them carry their suitcases inside the B&B.


"You have the place all to yourselves," Justin informed them.  "We recently got rid of our other guests."


"Your dad?" JR asked.


"Yeah, among others," Justin said with a touch of sadness in his voice.  "He's doing a lot better with the new hip.  He'll soon be back to his old self."


"That's too bad," JR said with a knowing smile.  Justin merely shook his head.


Jacqueline watched this exchange.  She was about to ask what it meant, but thought it might be wiser to ask JR later on when they were alone.


"The fridge is stocked and the beds made up.  Take your pick of whatever room you want," Justin advised.  "You can have as much privacy or as little privacy as you want."


"That's great, Justin.  Thanks," JR told him.


"Yeah, thanks," Jacqueline agreed.  "I had no idea you had a little village hidden away here."


Justin chuckled.  "I've never heard it called a village before, but ... I guess that's kind of what it is ... our little village."


"So where's your house, Justin?" Jacqueline asked.


"Farther up the lane.  You should get JR to give you a tour."


"Maybe I will."


"Um, how's Ben doing?" JR asked.


"He's ... okay.  He's been writing from what I understand, but he keeps pretty much to himself.  How's Michael handling all this?" Justin asked.


"Not so good.  He has that wide stubborn streak up his back, and it's hard for him to admit that he might be wrong."


"That's too bad.  He'll never find another Ben."


"That's for sure, and he's miserable without Ben.  He refuses to admit it though."


"Are you going to work on Ben while you're here?" Justin asked.


JR thought about that for a moment.  "Probably not in the way you're thinking.  I want Dad and Ben together, but I'm not going to coerce Ben into doing something he doesn't want to do."


"Good.  Ben deserves some time to write and reflect."


"I agree," JR said with a smile.


"So what are you going to do?" Jacqueline asked.


"I'm going to show you around and maybe lie in the sun a bit, and visit with Ben when he's ready," JR declared.


"That sounds like a plan," Justin said with a grin.  "Enjoy yourselves, and if you feel like joining us for dinner, Brian's barbecuing."


"No shit!" Jacqueline exclaimed.  "Brian Kinney barbecues?"


"He's excellent at it," JR told her lover.


"Who would believe it?" Jacqueline asked.


"Join us and you'll see," Justin replied.  "I need to get back," he added as he headed for the door.


"We'll be there," Jacqueline called after him.  He nodded before he closed the door.


"We don't have to go the barbecue, you know," JR advised.


"Why the fuck wouldn't we go?  I want to see Brian Kinney cooking for us," Jacqueline laughed.


"Okaaay," JR agreed.  "But I want some alone time for us too."


"You got it, babe. We’ll have lots of that while we're here."


"Great.  Do you want to unpack or go for the tour?"


"Tour!  I can't believe this ... place exists way out here in the middle of nowhere ... and that's where Brian Kinney chooses to live."


"Uncle Brian is a man of many surprises that nobody knows about, except his immediate family," JR said with a little smile.  She understood how her uncle wanted his privacy, but was so much different in private from his public persona.


"He's a lot different than what I thought he would be, and so is this place," Jacqueline said thoughtfully.


"Yeah, you thought we'd be staying in a tumbledown shack, not a state of the art B&B," JR reminded her.  "If you want this tour, let's go.  You won't believe Uncle Brian's house."


"A gigantic mansion?"


"Oh yeah, humungous.  You'll see," JR said coyly.


They left the B&B and JR started up the lane.  JR showed Jacqueline the greenhouse including the waterfall which was in full force.  They spent a few minutes ogling the colorful koi that were contently swimming in their costumed made pond.  JR expertly distracted her partner as they walked passed Edna’s Treasures toward the meadow.  She had heard a little about the new cottage but not the full details.


"That's new," JR said pointing to the new cottage out in the meadow.  "I wonder when that got built."


"You haven't seen it before?"


"No, but it's been quite a while since I was here.  I'll have to find out who it belongs too.  It looks great out there by itself."


"Do people live in all these buildings or does Brian just build them?"


"That's a weird question."


"Well, the B&B..."  Jacqueline made air quotes around those words.  "It sits there empty, doesn't it?"


JR frowned.  "Yeah, for some of the time, but then when someone, like us, needs a place to stay out here, it's available."


"So all the buildings belong to someone."


"Yes, and they're occupied most of the time."


"So who's 'cottage' is this?" Jacqueline asked as they came towards the conjoined cottages.


"This is where Uncle Brian and Justin live."


"What?  I thought you said it was a mansion."


"No, you said it was a mansion."


"I know you said it was humungous," Jacqueline said with annoyance.


"It's actually much bigger than it looks.  John and Bobby live there too."


"That's Brian's brother, right?"


"Yep."


"They live together?"


"Not exactly.  You'll see tonight at the barbecue."


Jacqueline frowned.  "Curiouser and curiouser."


"If you look up the lane, that's Rachel and George's house.  Rachel is Bobby's sister.  I'll show you the stream and the thinking rock tomorrow."


"Thinking rock?"


"Yes, all will be explained," JR laughed.  "Let's go back down the lane."


They turned and retraced their steps going toward the B&B.  JR pointed out Molly's little cottage and Emmett's.


“You flew past Emmett’s when we first came through the gate,” JR snarked which Jacqueline promptly ignored.


 And they stopped to look at the thatched cottage for a few minutes.  JR decided that Debbie and Carl must be out somewhere or her grandmother would have come flying out of the cottage and squeezed her to death.


"So where's your dad's place?"


JR pointed across the lane.  "Behind those trees."


"Let's see."


"Okay, but I don't want to disturb Ben."


"We won't unless we see him," Jacqueline agreed.


As they proceeded up the lane and beyond the trees until the log mansion came into view.


"My god!  It is a log cabin, but it's huge.  Cabin is hardly the right word to describe it."


"I know," JR said with a sigh.  "I think that's why it's hidden behind the trees.  John and Brian wanted cottages on the lane, but Dad kind of got carried away."


"No shit!"


"Tomorrow we can talk to Ben and I'll show you the inside," JR stated.


"I can hardly wait," Jacqueline said shaking her head at all the unexpected things this place was revealing.


"Let's go unpack and get ready for dinner."


Jacqueline followed her lover back to the B&B, shaking her head every now and then as she continued to look around.


 


*****


 


“Hey Brian!”  Ben called out as Brian emerged from the hedges. 


Brian had finished weeding Molly’s back garden then had taken a hidden path that ran parallel to the stone wall to the log cabin.  It wasn’t as direct as taking the lane but it was much cooler and well hidden by the trees and bushes.


“What’s up Doc?”  Brian replied with a smirk making Ben laugh.  “Now that’s what I like to see, a happy professor.”


“What are you up to?”  Ben asked then groaned at his double entendre.  Brian chuckled but quickly put his friend out of his misery.


“Chill, Doc, I’m no longer the stud of Liberty, I’m the flower whisperer of Edna’s Treasures.”


“You certainly are,” Ben said with awe as he looked around his garden.  The boys wanted their yards kept simple and easy to maintain so it was mostly paved with colorful paving stones.  Interspersed were small mounds of stone and soil that held hearty shrubs and hostas.  Along the edges of the yard were perennials of day lilies, daisies, black eyed susans, and purple cone flowers for color.


“But right now I’m the weed wrangler so pay no attention to me.  You may continue with your regularly scheduled activities,” Brian states as he headed for the potting shed. 


To make his life easier, Brian made sure each home on the lane had its own small shed stocked with his favorite gardening tools.  This way Brian didn’t have to tote things from one garden to the other.  Each yard had its own compost heap as well for the weeds and other small house hold compostable items. 


“I’d like to talk to you about that,” Ben said hesitantly.  Brian stopped what he was doing to pay attention to his friend.


“You know we can talk about anything,” Brian said with concern in his voice.


“I know and I appreciate it.  We’ll be fine, I’m sure of it.  He’s stubborn and I’m not giving in this time; we’ll work it out somehow.  But that’s not what I wanted to discuss.  Come inside, let me get you an iced tea then we can talk.”


“Sure Professor,” Brian said as he followed his hunky friend inside the cabin to the kitchen.  Brian gratefully accepted the iced tea then quietly waited for Ben to start talking.


“You’re going to make me spell it out all at once, aren’t you?”  Ben stated with resignation.  Brian silently nodded.  “Okay, here it goes.  It occurred to me some time ago that our cwazy widdle family as you call it, isn’t so little.  We’ve grown and we have a lot of moving parts.  My original plan was to honor the family by telling our story and I still intend to but where do I begin? 


“At first, I thought that was easy, I’d start with Debbie.  She’s the rock or the foundation of the family or so I thought at first but then the other parts didn’t make sense.  I couldn’t tie her directly to Hunter becoming a Social Worker or Curtis, Raph, and Hector joining the family or Lacy or Katerina and her brother.  Then I realized it all boils down to the night you met Justin under that street lamp.  I know I wasn’t there at the time but that event set something in motion that affected all of us and still does to this day.


“So with your permission I’d like to write about our family.  I can fictionalize it if it’ll really get your knickers in an uproar but I don’t think I should have to.  It’s all a matter of public record.  And no, I’m not going to name former tricks but more of chronical of how our family came together.  I’ve already done some research.”


Ben stopped talking as he handed Brian a thick folder.  In the folder were pages of notes, copies of birth certificates and adoption papers.  And even a copy of “Art World” the issue that contained the articles Richard Connolly had written years before. 


“There’s my title,” Ben said as he pointed to the words in the Connolly article.  “I have his permission as long as I give him and his wife the credit due them and of course have your permission as well.”


“And Justin?”  Brian growled out.


“I needed time for my preliminary research and to set the title of the story.  I find that the right title sets the tone for the story.”


“That’s one hell of a lot of permission slips you have to get.  I bet we have enough people in our family to fill a phone book.  Do they still make phone books?”  Brian asked as he stood and handed the folder back to Ben.


“Brian, I can stop it now before I get in too deep,” Ben said to Brian’s retreating back.  Brian began walking out of the cool kitchen.


“You talk to the blond tonight.  If he says yes then it’s fine with me.”  With that Brian left the cabin to continue his fight with the weeds.


“Oh boy,” Ben murmured to himself.  Convincing Brian was one thing, convincing Justin would be another.  Ben opened his folder to carefully examine each paper then arrange them in a logical manner in preparation for his encounter later that night with “the blond.”


 


*****


 


“What do we bring to this party?”  Jacqueline asked.


“It’s not a party it’s a barbecue and we just bring ourselves.  Actually if you give me fifteen minutes I still have time to go to the General Store to pick up ice cream,” JR grumbled.


“Okay, I get it.  This is the country.  I can slow down to smell the roses and visit the General Store.  Let’s go before we’re late to the party.”


“Barbecue,” JR mumbled as she grabbed the car keys and headed for the door.


“Oooo!  This is cute,” Jacqueline exclaimed as they pulled up to the store.  JR said nothing just smiled in agreement.  While Jacqueline looked around the quaint store, JR purchased the ice cream.


“May I help you?”  A kindly gentleman asked.


“Yes, a gallon of your homemade ice cream please,” JR replied.


“Flavor?” 


“Oh, good question.  I’m not sure what everyone likes,” JR said with a worried look.


“May I ask, is this for the folks on the lane?”  The gentleman asked with a knowing smile.


“Yes, it is,” JR said with a grin.


“Then allow me to suggest vanilla, a small strawberry, rocky road, chocolate, and a black cherry.”


“Um, sure!”  JR agreed.  Within minutes she had her ice cream all packed up in a handy cooler.  “Thank you.”


“Thank you, and please give them my regards,” the man said.


“I will,” JR said with a bright smile.  She and Jacqueline were back on the road to the lane.  When they got to the gate, someone buzzed them in and they drove directly to the conjoined cottages.


“What’s wrong?”  JR asked as they got out of the car.


“Not sure.  I guess I’m a little nervous,” Jacqueline replied as she gazed down at what she was wearing.


“You look fine.  It’s a barbecue and if I know Uncle Brian he’ll be rattling the grill in a tank top and cut offs.”


“You’re sure?” 


“I’m sure.”

 

Jacqueline grabbed the cooler and then followed JR up the path to Edna’s Treasures.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


 


Chapter 5


 


 


 


Brian was grilling up a storm when JR and Jacqueline entered the backyard.


"JR!!!!" Bree screeched as she saw her sister.  JR smiled just before she was clutched in a bear hug by her no longer tiny sister.


"Whoa," JR grunted as she hugged Bree back.  "You're getting to be so grown up."


"Not as grown up as you," Bree pouted as she finally released JR from the hug.


"I don't think you're going to catch up to me," JR laughed.


"I know, but it never hurts to hope..."


"Jacqueline, you remember Bree," JR said.  When there was no rely, JR turned to see what her lover was doing.  "Jacqueline," she repeated.  "Jacqueline!"


Jacqueline's eyes were focused on Brian Kinney who was flipping burgers on the grill.  He was wearing a pair of tight cut-off shorts and a tank top.  For someone his age he looked mighty fine.


"Jacqueline!" JR barked.


"Oh, what?  What is it?" Jacqueline stammered.


"I asked you if you remembered my sister, Bree."


"Oh, yeah, Bree, hi."


"What is wrong with you?" JR asked with a frown.


"Just enjoying the scenery," Jacqueline replied.


JR shook her head.  "Is Gus here?" she asked looking around and hoping to see her brother.


"No, he left a few days ago.  They went to Toronto and then they're going to Europe, Paris I think," Bree explained.  "I wish I could go to Paris."


"Someday, sweetie, someday," JR said giving her a gentle hug.


"But why not now?"


"You better talk to your dads about that," JR advised.


"Maybe I will," Bree said.


"We should go speak to our hosts," Jacqueline said.


"There's Justin," JR replied as she saw Justin come out of the sun porch with a tray of nibbles.  "He's got food, and I'm hungry.  See you later, Bree."


Jacqueline and JR walked over to Justin to give him the cooler of ice cream.  He had hugs for each of them before taking the cooler inside.  They grabbed some veggies from Justin's tray and Jacqueline led the way over to the barbecue.


"Why, if it isn't Mr. Brian Kinney, the chef," Jacqueline said coyly.


Brian snorted before he smiled at the two girls.  "I'm hardly a chef, but I'll settle for the title of barbecue master."


"Ooh, how master-ful of you," Jacqueline laughed.


"How are you doing, JR?" Brian asked as he hugged her.


"Much better now that I'm here."


"Good, the steaks are almost done, and there's burgers for those with a less discriminating palate," Brian said giving Jacqueline a look.


It was Jacqueline's turn to snort.  "I like my steak medium rare."


"Your wish is my command," Brian responded.  "The steaks will be ready in a couple of minutes.  Why don't you head on in and find a spot at the table in the sun porch.  I'm sure Justin or John will get you a drink."


"Sounds good," JR said before the girls headed for the porch.


"Dinner's almost ready," Brian called out to Bree who was on the swing and Patrick was pushing her.


Patrick stopped pushing and let the swing slow down.  Bree made no move to get off.


"Are you coming?" Patrick asked.


"Don't know."


Patrick looked at Bree's face as he came around from behind the swing.  He immediately saw the frown.  "What's wrong?"


"I want to do something ... grown up."


"Grown up?  What do you mean?"


"Gus is going to Europe.  I want to go too."


"I'd like to go there too," Patrick said with a smile, "but that's not going to happen."


"Why not?"


"I have baseball and then school."


"I have soccer, but I still want to go."


"Maybe in a couple of years."


"And maybe never," Bree pouted.  "Gus gets to do everything."


"He's an adult." 


Bree scowled at him.  "And I'm a baby."


"You're not a baby, but you're sure acting like one right now."


"Hey!" Bree exclaimed insulted by Patrick's words.  She gave him a swat on the arm.


"Well you are."


"Am not."


"Are so."


"Whoa, you two!" Brian called over as he headed for the sun porch door with a platter of his burgers and steaks.  "What's going on?"


"Bree wants to go to Europe," Patrick informed his uncle.


"What?" Brian demanded.


"She wants to go Europe," Patrick repeated when Bree didn't say anything.


"Briana Victoria, what are you talking about?"


Bree continued to scowl at both of them.  Then her face softened and she smiled a little bit.  "I just want to do something grown up, Dada," she said softly.


"And you think going to Europe would be grown up?" he asked.


"Yes."


"Well, I doubt that's going to happen," Brian said trying to be gentle.


"But Gus is going."


"Gus and Ray are going on business," Brian clarified.


"I could go on business," Bree said hopefully.


"Do you have some clients in Europe that I'm not aware of?"


Patrick stifled a giggle.


"No," Bree said indignantly, "but I might get some new clients if I went."


"Is that so?"


"Yes."


"Well, at the moment a trip to Europe is not in the works, and my steaks are getting cold. Let's go."


Bree slid off the swing and started following her father towards the sun porch.  "But maybe later?" she said hopefully.


"We'll see," Brian said as he opened the door.


"That means no," Patrick whispered to Bree.


"Shut up.  I know what it means, but I'm not done yet," she said forcefully as they entered the porch.


Patrick shook his head thinking about his crazy cousin, as he found a place at the table.  He wouldn't be surprised if Bree got to go to Europe.  Bree usually got what she wanted.


The dinner was small by Edna's Treasures Lane standards.  It was just the families from the two cottages and JR and Jacqueline.  They ate ravenously at first.  Jacqueline said she didn't think she'd ever had a better steak, even at the best restaurants in Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.  Her steak was perfectly cooked.  Justin had made a huge bowl of salad with lots of local vegetables.  Everything in the salad was crisp and delicious, and Justin had made both a vinaigrette and a green goddess dressing, so everyone could choose the flavor they liked best.


"We saw the new cottage out in the meadow," JR said as she was taking a little more salad.  "Who does that belong to?"


"Alex and Glen," Justin said.  "They're coming tomorrow night for another barbecue, so you should come too so you can meet them."


"More steak?" Jacqueline asked.


"That could be arranged," Brian said with a smirk, “but I'll also be cooking some local sausage."


"Local sausage?" Jacqueline asked.


"Yeah, there's a farmer over by Bridgeton who makes his own sausage," Bobby said.  "It's deeelicious.  I'll place my order for two right now."


"Are they that good?" JR asked.


"Better," John informed her.


"Okay, I'll try one too," JR said.  Jacqueline nodded in agreement.  "I thought Ben might join us for dinner tonight," JR added.


"He does sometimes, but other evenings if he's writing, he stays at the log cabin," Bobby explained.


"You didn't visit him yet?" John asked.


"We didn't want to disturb him," Jacqueline said.


"And I don't want him to think I'm here to get him to go back to Pittsburgh," JR added.


"Isn't that why you're here?" Brian asked pointedly.


"No, it's not," JR declared.  "I'd like to talk to him about what happened between him and dad, but I'm not going to pressure him one way or the other."


"Good," Brian said as he stood up and started clearing the table.


Bree began to help him.  Justin looked at Brian who winked and shrugged.  They gathered up plates and Brian hoisted the heavy tray and carried it to the kitchen.  Bree followed him with the salad bowl.


"You can't butter me up, Squirt," Brian said when they were alone in the kitchen.


"I know, Dada."


"Then why are you helping like this?"


"Because I wanted to."


"And...?"


"Because if there's a possibility that I might go to Europe, then all the goodwill I can create can't hurt my chances."


Brian laughed out loud.  "I can't fault your reasoning."


"Thank you, father."


"Father?"


"I am growing up," Bree said with a little grin.


"Don't I know it.  Let's get the ice cream out to the hungry hordes."


"Yes, father."


 


*****


 


Ben had heard JR’s car drive up a few hours ago; he wondered why she hadn’t visited.  Then again he was being a hermit of sorts.  Perhaps JR was waiting for a “formal” invitation.  He also smelled the enticing aromas from Brian’s grill.  There were times Ben wished he was more of a carnivore but over the years Ben had developed a routine.  He was convinced that sticking to that routine was keeping him healthy.  Fortunately for Ben his family was extremely understanding.  When Brian knew Ben would be joining them at dinner, Brian always had fresh fish or free range chicken on the menu.  If Ben was in a vegetarian mood, there was always enough vegetables to keep him happy.  Ben truly thought of himself as blessed with a wonderful extended family.  Now if only his immediate family, namely one Michael Charles Novotny could be more understanding.


Ben checked his watch.  If he hurried, he'd make it to the conjoined cottages just in time for dessert.  He had yet to confront “the blond.”  He made himself presentable, looked over his folder, tucked it under his arm then steeled himself to confront Justin.


“Knock, knock!” Ben called out as he let himself in through the front of Brian’s end of the conjoined cottages.


“Sun porch,” came the response from several voices.  Ben walked through the cottage to the porch.


“Dad!” JR called out as she jumped up to give her other father a hug.  Ben returned the hug warmly.


“Hi, Uncle Ben!” Bree said with a cheery smile.


“Hello, Princess; hello, all.  Am I too late for dessert?”


“Not at all,” Justin said.  “I’ll put the kettle on.  We have fresh pies and JR and Jacqueline brought ice cream.”


“Let me help,” Ben said.  Justin smiled as Brian sent Ben a knowing look.


“I really don’t need any help; I’m only turning on the stove under the kettle,” Justin pointed out.


“I know but I wanted to talk to you alone and this seemed like a good opportunity,” Ben said with some hesitance.


“Sounds serious,” Justin remarked.  “Are you all right?”


“I’m fine,” Ben assured Justin.


“And Michael?”


“No change.  He hasn’t called and neither have I.  I guess we both have a stubborn streak.  But I’m honestly not concerned.”


“Really?” Justin said with surprise.


“We’ll get through this; I’m sure we will.  We’ve been joined at the hip for so long, we need this break.  I’m sure we’ll come out stronger.”  Justin nodded.  He wasn’t as convinced as Ben, but it wasn’t any business of Justin's.


“So what did you want to talk about?” Justin asked as the kettle started to whistle.  While their tea steeped Ben made his presentation.


“You’re very quiet,” Ben said gently when he was finished.


“You’ve given me a lot to think about,” Justin replied.  Ben was happy that his idea wasn’t summarily rejected.  “I have a question, maybe more of an observation.”


“Go ahead,” Ben encouraged.


“Why does your story start with me?”


“You mean the night you met Brian?”  Justin nodded again as he slowly looked through Ben’s folder, closely examining every paper as if it was a precious work of art.  “Because as far as I’m concerned, that moment set off a random chain of events that culminates not only on this lane but with all the people you and Brian have touched.”


Justin blushed deeply and giggled.


“I didn’t mean it in that way but yeah, that applies too.”  Ben laughed.


“You boys having a private party?  You know how much I love orgies,” Brian snarked as he entered the kitchen.  He had heard it become quiet after the kettle boiled.  Brian’s curiosity was piqued when he heard the distinctive sound of a Sunshine giggle.  He nonchalantly poured himself a mug of coffee then sat on a stool.


“Did you see this?” Justin asked, pointing to the folder.


“Yes,” came a curt answer.


“What do you think?” Justin asked.


“More importantly, what do you think?” Brian countered.


“I think Ben’s editor will be getting a very boring book,” Justin deadpanned.


“On the contrary, my dear Sunshine, just the chapter of us in the backroom should be worth the advance,” Brian quipped.


“Seriously, Brian, you hate your privacy invaded,” Justin said as he stood in front of his husband and took hold of Brian’s biceps.  “Don’t you remember all the shit we went through with that Hawk guy and that other reporter who wanted to tear our family apart?”


Before Ben could defend his motives, Brian beat him to it.  He reached for Justin to pull him in close.  As he did, he motioned for Ben to go away.  Ben took the hint and retreated to the sun porch.


“But this is Ben, our Zen Ben, I trust him,” Brian stated quietly.  Anxious ocean blue eyes gazed into steadfast hazel ones.


“Has he decided on a title for his book?” Justin asked.


“Ben got permission from the Connolly’s to use The Sunshine Chronicles for the title.  Giving them the proper credit, of course.”


“Of course,” Justin repeated with a smirk.  “Are you really all right with this?”


“This isn’t just our story, it belongs to the whole family, but he promised to let us read it first and to fictionalize it if necessary.  He’s even getting permission slips from everyone involved,” Brian said with tongue in cheek.  “I think this is something Ben needs to do,” he said with seriousness.


“Like my henge?” Justin asked with a coy smile.  Brian kissed his nose.


“Yes.”


“You sound so certain,” Justin stated.


“I trust Ben,” Brian said.


“I trust him too,” Justin said as he wrapped his arms around his spouse.  “But most importantly, I trust you.  I trust that if Ben’s book becomes too personal or too intrusive, you’ll put an end to it.  Or at the very least, ask him to make it a work of fiction.  It’s not just us.  Justin Taylor and Brian Kinney have public lives.  It’s a matter of record that we can’t deny.  But Brian and Justin also have personal lives to protect, especially the kids.  I won’t have them put under a microscope either.”


“Ben wouldn’t do that.”


“Not intentionally but stuff happens.  We all get carried away with our projects.”


“Like your henge,” Brian said with an arch of his brow.


“Yes,” Justin responded with a kiss to Brian’s nose.  Brian smiled the smile reserved only for Justin as he drew Justin in closer.  “We have guests,” Justin reminded Brian.


“They’re family not guests.  Besides John and Bobby are very good at playing host.”


“But the princess may form a search party soon.”


“Fortunately for us we’re not lost,” Brian stated with a goofy grin.


“You know you’re a freak, right?”


“No more than you, my dear Sunshine.”  Brian reluctantly released Justin but not before planting a searing kiss upon Justin’s lips.


“What was that for?” Justin asked when he caught his breath.


“Complaints?” Brian asked instead.


“Not a one.  I work very hard for your kisses.”  Justin patted Ben’s folder that was on the kitchen counter.


“Yes, you do.  Regrets?”


“None.  No apologies.  No regrets.”


“Good,” Brian said as he stood to top off his coffee before returning to the porch.   “Although, I think I may have to talk to Ben regarding the title.”


“What’s wrong with The Sunshine Chronicles?”


“Nothing, but the way Ben describes it, it sounds more like Chaos Theory to me.”


“And what would you know about Chaos Theory, oh wise one?”


“Everything, my dear Sunshine,” Brian quipped as they entered the porch that was currently occupied by a small portion of their cwazy wittle family.


“Dada, I want to go to Europe!” Bree demanded.


“Everything,” Brian repeated with a sigh.  Justin giggled as he left Brian’s side to tend to their family.


 


*****


 


From the minute the boys stepped off the plane and arrived at Kinnetik North they were busy reviewing campaigns and contracts.  By the end of the day they were both tired, hungry and a bit cranky.  Fortunately, the apartment Cynthia had rented for Kinnetik execs was spacious and close by.


“I need a shower and food.  Not necessarily in that order,” Ray griped as he pulled the tie away from his neck and started to unbutton his shirt.


“Ditto!” Gus agreed.  “My feet hurt,” he grumbled.


“Geez, you two sound like you’re a hundred and two!” Melanie exclaimed.  The apartment was large enough for several people to live comfortably.  “Wimps,” she groused as the door buzzer went off. 


Melanie had arranged for dinner to be delivered.  Delicious aromas soon filled the apartment.  The boys mumbled their gratitude around loaded burgers.  With full bellies the boys were quickly losing steam.  Mel took pity on them.


“Go take a shower then get some sleep.  We’ll go over contracts and discuss Shelly in the morning,” Melanie strongly suggested.


“Thanks, Mama,” Gus said with a wide yawn.


“Thank you, Ms. Marcus,” Ray said as he shuffled toward their room.


“Good night, boys,” Mel said shaking her head.


“Night,” they replied.


Melanie put on the kettle.  While she waited for the water to boil she pulled out her phone.


“Kinney.”


“It’s me.”


“Hello me.”


“Can’t you ever converse like a normal human being?”


“Where’s the fun in that?  You didn’t call me just to insult me?”


“Sorry, as much as that would give me pleasure, I called to let you know the boys did well their first day.  They’re exhausted but I’m sure Gus will call in the morning.”


“Thanks.”


“They make a good team those two,” Mel admitted.


“You just come to that conclusion?”


“No, I’ve known it for quite some time, but I preferred to live in ignorant bliss rather than admit my son is in a serious relationship, as well as poised to take over your empire.”


“You also have a daughter who is in a serious relationship and is poised to take over her father’s business.”


“Don’t remind me.”


“Too late!”


“Asshole.”


“Bitch!”


“I think I’ve had enough of this riveting conversation.  Good night, Brian.”

 

“Night, Mel.”

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


 


Chapter 6


 


 


 


Brian walked out of the sun porch and halted.  He looked around the yard at his flowers which were flourishing even in the hot summer weather.  He thought about doing some weeding, but the gardens didn't really need it for a couple of days.  He needed to find something else to do, something that would take his mind off what was bothering him.


Maybe he could start a new garden back by the Wendy house, or maybe take out some of the hostas and replace them with something like roses that required much more care.  Brian snorted at that ludicrous idea.  He didn't really need more flowerbeds to tend or less hardy plants that would probably die on him anyway.  He just needed something useful to do at the moment.


Brian thought about going to the greenhouse, but there really wasn't much that needed doing in there either. 


Beau bounded up and nuzzled his hand.


"What's up, big guy?" Brian asked him giving the big dog a rub.


Beau looked at him quizzically and let out a little woof.


"Are you trying to tell me something?"


Beau studied Brian for a moment and then bounded toward the Wendy house and the path that led to the stream.


"Hm," Brian said, "the Thinking Rock.  Not a bad idea, big guy."


Brian followed Beau who had already started down the path.  It was midmorning and the sun hadn't reached its height.  It was cool walking through the trees that lined the path.  When Brian entered the clearing near the stream, he saw that the Thinking Rock was already occupied.  Brian stopped in his tracks.  He never liked to disturb anyone who was "thinking" or just enjoying the peace and quiet.


However, Beau had no such reservations.  He knew that anyone on the Thinking Rock usually liked to run their hands through his fur while they were doing their thinking.  He quickly approached the rock waiting there for a pat from the rock's occupant.


"Hey, boy," Ben said as he reached down and gave the big dog a hearty rub around his neck.  He turned to see if anyone was with Beau and noted that Brian was standing just at the edge of the clearing.  "Hey, Brian."


"Am I disturbing you?" Brian asked.


"Nope, come and join me."


Brian hiked himself up onto the rock beside Ben.  "What brought you here today?" he asked Ben.


"I come here quite often."


"You do?"


"Yes, it's a great place to think things through."


"That's why we called it the Thinking Rock," Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.


"Is that right?" Ben laughed.


Brian leaned back on his elbows and looked up at the sky.  "Beautiful day," he observed.


"Yes, very."


"You're not very talkative this morning."


"I'm waiting for Justin's decision about the book," Ben said hoping Brian would tell him it was all settled and he could go ahead with his project.


Brian waited for a minute.  "Justin and I talked it through last night.  I think he's going to say it's okay."


"That's great!" Ben enthused.


"Don't get ahead of yourself, professor.  I said that I think he's going to give you the go ahead.  He hasn't done that yet."


"Oh, okay," Ben replied, suddenly feeling rather deflated.


"Don't give up," Brian advised him.


"I don't intend to give up," Ben declared.  "You know, it was your daughter that started me down the road to this book."


"Bree?  What does she have to do with it?"


"We met one day here at the rock.  She asked what I was doing and I told her that I was thinking about the novel I was hoping to write.  She wanted to know what it was going to be about.  I told her I wanted to do an upbeat story about a gay family.  She said my story should have a bright, beautiful, precocious young lady in it."


Brian laughed.  "Meaning she wanted to be the star of the story."


Ben nodded and smiled.  "She does have an ego, but then she comes by that naturally."


"Ya think?" Brian chuckled.


"Anyway, she got me thinking about writing a story about your family, Brian."


"I'll have to speak to that girl," Brian said with a gruff voice.


Ben knew Brian didn't mean anything by his gruff tone.  "I owe Bree a vote of thanks if Justin gives me permission to go ahead."


"Maybe you better not say anything to her about that.  She's got a high enough opinion of herself already."


Ben's mouth dropped open.  He couldn't remember the last time he had heard Brian criticize his daughter.  "What made you say such a thing?" he asked his friend.


Brian rubbed his hand across his forehead and sighed.  "Forget it.  Forget what I said.  If you want to give her some credit, go ahead."


"What's going on, Brian?" Ben asked.  "This doesn't sound like you."


Brian shook his head.  Maybe he could use Ben as a sounding board for what was bothering him.  He thought about that for a couple of minutes while Ben waited patiently.  Ben knew you couldn't rush Brian Kinney.  He would just clam up and take off.  So Ben waited.


"She called me father yesterday," Brian said in almost a whisper after several moments had passed.


"Yeah, so?" Ben asked with a frown.  He didn't see what the problem was.


"You know that Bree always calls me her Dada and Justin is her Daddy.  Yesterday ... yesterday she called me 'father' - fucking 'father'!"


"And that's bad?" Ben asked trying not to smile.


"Of course it's bad.  I'm her Dada!" Brian declared.


"Brian," Ben said gently.  He was beginning to see the problem.  "Bree is growing up.  You didn't expect her to be calling you Dada when she's twenty, did you?"


"Yes I did," Brian responded defiantly.


"Brian," Ben admonished.


"I know, I know, but I hoped."


"Bree informed me that she is growing up when we had our chat."


"She's been telling me that a lot lately."


"And you should listen to her.  She has to grow and mature."


"I know," Brian said with a long sigh.


"It'll be all right," Ben said in a gentle voice.


"I hope so."


 


*****


 


Meanwhile Bree had found the swing in the yard and was pumping her legs like crazy trying to go as high as was humanly possible.


"Hey, you trying to hit outer space?" Patrick asked as he came up to her.


"Leave me alone."


"Not nice," Patrick told her with a scowl.


"You're not very nice sometimes."


"I'm always nice."


Bree was startled for a moment.  Patrick sounded a lot like her Dada when he said that.  People often told her she was a lot like her older father, but Patrick didn't usually get that comparison.  "No you're not," she replied defiantly.


"Like when?" Patrick asked with a frown.


"Like ... oh I don't know," Bree sighed.  The swing was beginning to slow down and she put a foot down to stop it.


"I guess you're not going to Europe," Patrick said.


Bree glared at him.  "See, you're not nice."


"I merely made an observation," Patrick said.  "What's not nice about that?"


"You don't need to rub my face in it."


"I wasn't trying to do that.  You don't need to be mean about it."


"Sowwy," Bree said in her baby talk, "I'm just bummed."


"I understand."


"Do you?" Bree asked.


"I know you want to do what Gus is doing.  That's what this is all about, isn't it?" Patrick asked with a knowing nod.


Bree clamped her lips together and stared at him.  "How come I'm always the youngest?"


Patrick laughed.  "That's because you are.  There's nothing you can do about it."


"But it's not fair."


"Life isn't always fair.  It's just the way things are."


"You can be really annoying sometimes.


Patrick grinned.  "That's my mission in life - annoying you."


Bree reached out and swatted him.


"Hey!" Patrick reacted.


"You deserved it," Bree told him.


"Yeah, I guess I did.  Are you giving up on going to Europe?"


Bree frowned.  "I don't know.  I'm not even sure why I asked to go."


"Because Gus is going," Patrick reminded her.  "I told you that."


"Annoying!" Bree snarked.


Patrick laughed.  "So do you think you'll just let it go?"


"Maybe."


"I'd miss you if you went to Europe."


Bree smiled.  "I'd miss you too."


"Hey, I got a smile and an 'I'd miss you'.  My work here is complete."


"You are really a pain in my..."


"Don't say it.  You know you love me."


"As annoying as you are, I do," Bree admitted with a chuckle.


"Want me to give you a push?"


"Sure," Bree agreed.


It was always nice to have someone propel her up on the swing.  She'd think about Europe later.  Maybe she should ask her other dad.  She let out a sigh as Patrick got her swinging almost as high as she had been before he joined her.  Only now, it felt great to feel the air on her face and she didn't have to work hard to get it.  Patrick was okay, even if he was annoying sometimes.


 


*****


 


“Hello.”


“Ouch!  Shit!” Jacqueline yelled.  She was searching her car for a notebook that she used to jot down notes and ideas for her bicycles when Glen rolled toward her car.  Glen startled her causing Jacqueline to jump and hit her head on the door frame.


“I’m so sorry.”


“You ought to wear a bell,” she grumbled as she rubbed the top of her head.


“Yeah, I get that a lot,” Glen said.


“So who the fuck are you?”


“I could ask you the same,” Glen retorted. 


Jacqueline scowled making Glen laugh.  “Oh, I’m so glad you think this is funny.  I’m bleeding the fuck to death and most likely have a concussion!”


“And they call me a drama queen.  Let me look at it,” Glen offered.


“I’m not going to let you touch me; I don’t know you.  And even if I did know you I wouldn’t let you touch me.  You’re not qualified to treat wounds.”


“Of course I am.  I treat them all the time, but we do have a bon-a-fide doctor on the lane at this time so I’ll call him and let him deal with it,” Glen said as he whipped out his phone.  “Babe, please come to the B&B and bring your doctor bag.  Don’t get your panties in a twist, I’m not the injured party.  But we have a young lady down here…”


“I’m not that young!”


 “…who’s growing a goose egg on her head.  Shut up!” Glen snapped at Jacqueline who continued to loudly curse and complain.  “No not you, I’m yelling at the young lady.  I don’t know.  One minute I’m rolling down the lane then the next thing I know she bashes her head in a car door.  Well, I don’t know why.”


“Hey,” Jacqueline shouted as she waved her hand in front of Glen’s face.  “Injured party here, remember me?  Bleeding with a concussion.”


“I offered but she turned me down.  Of course, I explained that I’m fully qualified to treat her boo-boo but nooooo, she wants a real doctor.  No, not my kind of doctor, your kind of doctor.  Will you hurry up, the kid looks a little pale.  Okay, bye.  He’s on the way; let’s get you inside.  Can you walk?  If not I can give you a lift,” Glen offered sweetly as he patted his lap.


“You’re fucking nuts.”


“So they tell me.  Personally I think they just don’t get my brand of humor.  Seriously, are you staying at the B&B?  We should get you inside.”


“Do you live here?” Jacqueline asked in a quiet tone.  Her head was beginning to ache and she was feeling dizzy.  She slowly began to walk up the path to the B&B door closely followed by Glen.


“Yes, Brian and John generously built us a cabin in the meadow.  This is our first summer here.  I’m Glen, by the way.”


“Jacqueline.  I’m JR’s girlfriend, partner, whatever.  This is still a little new for me.”


“Obviously.  Alex, he’s my whatever, and I have been together since college.”


“Wow.  Oooo, my head.  I’d show a little more enthusiasm but I don’t think my head can take it.”


“Understood,” Glen said as he carefully guided Jacqueline through the doorway.


“What happened?” JR began loudly.  


Glen waved her down with a “shush.”  Then calmly explained the incident and that a doctor would be arriving any second.


“Hey, Babe, where’s the patient?” Alex asked gently as he entered the B&B.  He was closely followed by a “crowd.”


“Right here.”  Glen pointed to Jacqueline who was making herself comfortable on the sofa.  JR was putting towels behind her bleeding head.  “Her name is Jacqueline but that’s as far as we got with the introductions.”


“Jacqueline, I’m Dr. Alex Wilder, can you state your name for me?”


“Let’s give them a little privacy,” Glen suggested to the crowd. 


The crowd consisted of Debbie and Carl who had just driven up to their cottage when they saw Alex jogging down the lane, bag in hand.  And Justin, John, and Bobby who had just come back from grocery shopping.  They too saw Alex running down the lane.  Debbie managed to corral JR away from “the exam room” long enough to get in a hug and a kiss.


“We go into Pittsburgh for two days and all hell breaks loose,” Debbie commented.  “What the fuck happened?”


“My fault.  I startled Jacqueline and she banged her head on the car door,” Glen explained.


“Ouch,” Bobby said as his hand automatically went to his own head.  The others agreed.


“I’ll put the kettle on,” Justin stated in an attempt to feel useful.


“Let me call Brian to let him know where we are,” John said as he pulled out his phone.


“I’m surprised you guys don’t have your own communication system,” Glen snarked.


“Actually, we do, but cell phones are just as good 99% of the time,” Bobby said.  Then he reminded Glen about their occasional use of walkie talkies and putting a light in a front window during a storm.


“Hmm, we’re a bit remote for a light in the window but the walkie talkies make sense,” Glen said. 


Bobby assured him that they’d work something out.  Plus Bobby also reminded Glen about Beau and his pack.  Beau and his family would make sure everyone was safe on the lane.


“Speaking about Beau, where’s my little buddy?” Glen asked, looking around as if Little Beau was somehow hidden in the B&B. 


As if he knew he was wanted, Little Beau came bounding into the B&B, muscling his way through the crowd to get to the object of his affection, namely one Glen Wilder.  Standing on his hind legs, Little Beau placed his large paws on Glen’s shoulders to best express his affections.  The crowd laughed as Glen withstood the onslaught.


“Yuck, I’ve been slobbered,” Glen cried out.


“Better you than me,” Carl stated flatly, making Debbie laugh.


“What’s the verdict, Doc?” Debbie asked as Alex walked into the kitchen.  He left JR to fuss over Jacqueline.


“The lady will have a nasty bump on her head for a few days but that’s the least of her worries,” Dr. Alex explained.


“Shit, now I really feel awful,” Glen said with true concern as he gave Little Beau a gentle push.  “There’s a clinic nearby, let’s take her for an x-ray.  If necessary we’ll take her for a CT scan,” Glen said sadly.


“It wasn’t your fault,” JR said.


“I don’t understand how a little bump on the head is having this reaction,” Glen mused.  “Unless…”  Glen wheeled himself over to Jacqueline.  “Miss Jacqueline, did you ever hit your head before?” 


Jacqueline opened her bleary eyes.  “Yes,” she whispered.  “When I was younger, I rode my bike without a helmet.  I’m a little clumsy sometimes.  I fell off… a lot,” she admitted.


“Thank you for being honest,” Glen assured her and patted her hand.  He turned to wheel himself to the kitchen so he wouldn’t have to shout.


“How did you know?” Jacqueline asked. 


Glen gave her a warm smile.  “I specialize in traumatic injuries, especially neurological ones.”


“So you’re really qualified to treat me?”


“Yes, he is,” Alex said softly as he leaned down to give Glen a kiss.  “I may be the medical doctor in the family…”


“Psychiatrist too,” Glen crowed proudly.


“But Glen has a PhD in physical therapy and psychology,” Alex stated with equal pride.  “And I agree, we should take Jacqueline to the clinic.”


“I’ll call Dr. Dan; his clinic may have all that you need,” Justin said as he pulled out his phone. 


Within minutes Alex brought the van to the B&B, Jacqueline and JR were safely strapped into the back and they were on their way to Dr. Dan’s clinic with Bobby leading the way in his own car.  The “crowd” quickly dissipated.


“Well that was entertaining; I wonder what they do for an encore,” Carl quipped.  Debbie popped him one in the arm.


“The least we can do is clean up and do some cooking.  JR certainly won’t be in the mood to cook,” Debbie stated with conviction.


“Do we know if JR can cook?” Carl mumbled as he stepped far back from Debbie’s aim.  “Babe, I’ll straighten up around here while you organize the cooking brigade.”


“Thank you, Honey,” Debbie agreed as she tackled the kitchen.


“I wonder if anyone called Ben,” Carl murmured to himself as he began to straighten up the living room.


 


*****


 


Later that evening in a peacefully quiet cottage, Justin was blissfully painting in the sun porch totally oblivious to the angry hulk about to enter via the garden.  Ben barged through the door.


“Someone should have called me!” Ben shouted as he charged toward Justin. 


Justin yelped, dropping his paint brush as he banged into his easel.  As if viewing the world via slow motion, they watched as Justin’s easel teetered then righted itself with a thud but not before depositing Justin’s latest masterpiece on to the floor…wet side down.  Ben gasped.


Hearing the commotion, Brian came rushing out of John’s side of the sun porch.  “Get away from him!” Brian growled with rage as he grabbed Ben then propelled him toward the nearest solid wall.  “Don’t you ever threaten my Justin,” Brian spat as he thrust Ben up against the wall.


“I’m sorry; I’m so sorry,” Ben repeated over and over as he became aware of his own stupidity.


“Brian, I’m all right,” Justin calmly stated as he slowly approached.  “Ben would never hurt me.”  Justin’s soft tone was beginning to get through Brian’s anger.  “He just startled me.  I’m okay,” Justin assured Brian as he reached out toward Brian’s arms, urging him to release Ben.


John and Bobby also heard the shouting, and were watching from their doorway.  John wanted to go to his brother but Bobby held him back.  “Stay out of it.  Justin will take care of Brian,” Bobby said wisely.  John didn’t like it but he reluctantly agreed.  John went back inside while Bobby inched himself closer to the melee. 


Brian slowly loosened his grip as his breathing slowed, returning to normal.  Justin’s gentle influence was working.  Once released, Bobby stepped in then quickly redirected Ben out the door.  He walked Ben back to his cabin.


Justin took Brian to their room to love the stuffing out of him.  When a sated and emotionally spent Brian fell asleep, Justin eased himself out of Brian’s arms to go back into the porch.  That’s where John found him.


“Can you fix it?” John gently asked as Justin peeled his painting off the floor then placed it back on the easel.  Justin stood staring at the ruined canvas.


“Probably, but it will never be the same,” Justin replied with a sigh.  “I may just leave it as it is.”


“Why?”


“As a reminder,” Justin stated as he began to clean up the mess on the floor.  He declined John’s help.  Justin was an expert with wayward oil paint.


“Of what?”


“Of today.  Of anger, of jumping to conclusions, of impatience; pick an emotion.  They all apply.  We’re all guilty of doing it, especially me.  I made a habit of it when I first met Brian.  When I thought I knew everything about love and relationships.”


“What does this have to do with Ben barging in here looking like he had murder on his mind?”  John was confused.


“What would happen if Bobby left you?  You’ve been together for a lot of years.  How would you feel?”


“Angry; confused.  I’d probably do a lot of stupid things without thinking them through first,” John replied. 


Justin nodded with a crooked smile.  “Ben and Michael have been together longer than you and Bobby.  They’re rarely apart and when they are, it’s only for a short time.  Ben’s probably very lonely without Michael.”


“But…”


“I know,” Justin said quickly, interrupting John.  “If Michael was supportive of Ben staying on the lane while he writes then being alone wouldn’t hurt so much.  And they would have the weekends and phone calls; maybe lots of phone sex,” Justin said with a giggle.  “The point is he wouldn’t be doing this alone,” Justin explained as he attached the canvas and easel to the pulley system.  He raised the ruined painting to the rafters.


John nodded then returned to his side of the conjoined cottages.


 


*****


 


“Feeling better?” Bobby asked Ben. 


They had walked the length of the lane, several times, then did a circuit in Ben’s “gym,” several times.  They were currently cooling down, toweling off sweat, and drinking water on Ben’s back porch.


“Yeah.  Do you think Justin will forgive me?”


“I wager he already has.  Brian, on the other hand.”  Bobby shrugged.


“Yeah, I know.  I’ve violated his prime directive.”


“Which is?” Bobby asked already knowing the answer.


“Do no harm to Brian’s Sunshine, his children, or the rest of his family,” Ben stated with an exaggerated sigh.


“So what are you going to do about it?”


“Grovel.  I foresee lots and lots of groveling.”


“Good man,” Bobby said with a chuckle.  “Well this has been fun.  My muscles may not be speaking to you in the morning either, but I won’t expect groveling.  Good night, Ben.”

 

“Good night, Bobby, and thank you,” Ben said as Bobby left to go back home.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


 


Chapter 7


 


 


 


Brian was in his attic office fuming, the problem was he wasn’t all that sure why.  Yes, he was angry at Ben, but Brian understood all too well about being separated from the one you loved.  Brian and Justin had made a habit of being separated over the years for various reasons, but Brian didn’t go around bullying people about it.  At least he hoped he didn’t. 


And then there was his little girl growing up in spite of Brian’s expressed demand that she didn’t.  He couldn’t stop Gus from becoming a man so what made Brian think he could stop Bree from growing up into a beautiful but infuriating young woman.  Brian smirked.  Bree was just as infuriating as her father.  “Must be those Taylor genes,” Brian murmured to himself then rolled his eyes upward.  “Shit, now I’m talking to myself.  I must be getting old,” he griped.  He stopped his pity party when he heard light footsteps coming up the spiral stairs.


“Dada?” Bree called out as she stepped onto the balcony.


“Hey, Squirt,” Brian replied as he sat at his desk and booted up his computer.


“Can we talk?”


“Sure, anytime.”  Brian began to offer his lap then hesitated.  Maybe Bree was getting too old to sit in his lap.  As he contemplated this new revelation, Bree came over and made herself comfortable in her father’s lap.  Brian’s arms immediately engulfed his daughter as he inhaled her unique scent.


“Dada,” Bree whispered into Brian’s neck as she hugged him.  Brian gave her a little squeeze then gently leaned back to see her face.


“What, I’m no longer, Father?”  Bree blushed.  “Bree, I understand your desire to be independent and wanting to go out on your own to travel, go to college, to work, to do all the things you see Gus doing.  I wanted to do most of the same things when I was your age.  You’re lucky that we can afford to indulge you, but at thirteen you’re still a little too young to be traipsing around Europe on your own.”


“But I wouldn’t be on my own, I’d be with Gus and Ray,” Bree said in one last attempt to sway her father.


“Yes, you would.  First of all, there’s no guarantee that Gus and Ray are going to Paris.  And if they do go, by the time they get there you’ll be back in school,” Brian logically explained.  “Plus they’re going for business, not for pleasure.  Again, no guarantee they’d have time for sightseeing.”  Bree was crestfallen.  Brian gently lifted her chin so he could look into her Taylor blue eyes.


“I’ll make you a deal but only after I speak with your daddy.  Continue to do well in school and when you graduate high school we’ll take you and Ashley to Europe.  But your father and I go with you and of course Ashley and her mother must agree.”


“Really?” Bree’s face lit up the attic.


“Really.  By then you’ll have some idea if you intend to take control of Kinnetik Europa or be a world famous artist like your dad.”


“Can I be both?” Bree asked with a twinkle in her eyes.


“You certainly can!  If anyone can do it, it’s you!”  Brian proudly beamed.


“Thank you, Dada!” Bree squeed. 


Brian stuck a finger in his ear and wiggled it around.  “I think you’ve been hanging around Auntie Emm a bit too much,” Brian griped.


“Oh, Dada.”  Bree shook her head.


“Listen, Squirt, as much as you’d like to shout this news to the world let’s keep this low key.  I have to talk to daddy first, plus there’s stuff going on with Mikey and Ben that needs to take priority.”


“I know.  Uncle Ben’s not happy,” Bree stated.


“Neither is Mikey.”


“I think they need help to fix it.”


“I think you’re right.  But right now I have to work so I can earn the plane fare for our trip,” Brian said with a sigh.


“Oh, Dada, you’re such a drama queen!”


“Me?  Look who’s calling the kettle black, oh drama princess of mine!”  Brian gently pushed Bree off his lap.  Bree took the hint and turned to leave the office.


“I learned from the master!” she said loudly as she walked down the stairs, giggling as she did.


Brian grinned as he shook his head thinking maybe it wasn’t so awful that Bree was growing up; then he got back to work.


 


*****


 


“Wow, so this is what it looks like when the great artiste is at work,” Glen said with awe as he wheeled himself through the porch door.  The porch was in a state of organized chaos with several easels each holding a canvas in various stages of completion and a corresponding palette of colors nearby.  The resident artist however, was not currently present.   


“I knew this was a bad idea, we should have called first,” Alex said with trepidation.


“Nonsense, you know they have an open door policy,” Glen retorted with his usual finesse, as he carefully maneuvered amongst the madness.


“I wonder where Justin is,” Alex murmured.


“Even an artist has to pee once in a while,” Glen offered by way of explanation.  “Fascinating,” Glen stated as he closely examined one canvas.  “This one looks like it began its life as one thing but turned into another.”


“Hmm, a schizophrenic canvas?” Alex teased.


“You can be replaced,” Glen griped over his shoulder.


“No I can’t,” Alex immediately retorted.


“I hate it when you’re right,” Glen said lovingly.  Alex leaned over to peck Glen’s lips when they heard a distinctive bellow.


“Ya leave a door open and ya never know who rolls on in!” Brian stated from above.


“The voice of the gods has spoken!” Glen shouted back.


“To what do I owe the displeasure,” Brian asked as he came down the spiral stairs.


“Just wanted to update you on Jacqueline,” Alex chimed in.  Brian arched a brow.


“What that really means is, he wanted to know if you were still gunning for the resident hulk,” Glen said bluntly.


“You guys should take your act on the road, you’d make a fortune.  Kinnetik would be happy to do the PR,” Brian deadpanned as he sauntered out of the porch in search of coffee, mug in hand.


“A man with more money than Midas should be able to afford a coffeemaker in his office,” Glen commented as he and Alex followed.


 “Been there, done that but then I’d never leave it.  This gives me an excuse to stretch my legs.”  Brian was wearing his cut offs.


“And a fine set of legs they are.”  Glen ogled the aforementioned legs.


“Down boy,” Alex warned.  “Seriously, Brian, I know how close you and Ben are.  Is everything all right between you?” Alex asked with concern.


“Not yet.  He still has some ass kissing to do but we’ll be fine,” Brian said.  He offered coffee to his “guests” then topped off his own mug.


“Too much coffee isn’t good for you,” Glen said.  Brian snorted.  “Aside from that, Jacqueline is fine or will be when the lump on her head goes down and she stops seeing double.”


“Seriously?” Brian asked.


“You’ve taken a few bumps to the head,” Alex stated giving Brian a poignant look. 


“Thanks for the reminder, doc,” Brian snarked.


“Anyway,” Glen said loudly, not liking being ignored.  “She’ll be fine in a few days.  JR and Bree are taking turns hovering over her,” Glen stated with a perverse sense of glee.  Brian picked up on it and laughed.


“Help me,” Alex grumbled looking upward for divine intervention.  Getting none he walked back into the sun porch where Justin was back at his easels, earbuds in and painting to his own drummer.


“Amazing,” Glen said with genuine admiration.  Alex nodded in agreement.


“That’s my Sunshine,” Brian stated proudly.


“Come on, we should go,” Alex said as he patted Glen on the back.  “Um, should we go out the other way?” Alex asked, not wanting to disturb Justin.


“He won’t notice a thing,” Brian said with a smile.


“If you’re sure,” Alex said as they carefully made their way to the door.


“I’m sure,” Brian said as he sat in a chaise, mug in hand, preparing to indulge in one of his not so guilty pleasures of Sunshine watching.  “Dinner later, I’ll grill something,” Brian called out to them.


Alex and Glen mumbled an acknowledgement as they slowly left the porch.


“Amazing,” they said. 


Justin was blissfully painting as Brian blissfully watched.


 


*****


 


Ben tapped lightly on the door of the B&B.  He held his breath waiting for a response.  He had spent most of the morning trying to decide if he should make the overture with JR and Jacqueline or wait until they decided to come to him.  He didn't know why they hadn't come to see him when they first arrived.  Maybe they wanted privacy - or maybe they were furious with him that he didn't go back to Pittsburgh with Michael.  Then he had seen them at Brian and Justin's for dessert, but all that accomplished was a whole lot of small talk.  Nothing had been discussed of any merit, and Ben was feeling frustrated.  He wanted some answers. Whatever was going on, why they were on the lane, it was time to find out.


The door opened and JR stood in front of him.  She didn't look happy.


"Hi, Dad," JR said softly.  "Jacqueline's resting out on the patio.  I don't think she's ready for visitors."


"I didn't really come to see Jacqueline," Ben said hesitantly, "but I did want to know how she's doing.  She isn't so good?" Ben asked.


"She's doing as well as can be expected," JR replied with a sigh.  "We came here for a little R and R, not this," JR said starting to tear up.


"Oh, sweetie," Ben whispered as he pulled his daughter into a warm hug.


"She's really struggling, Dad," JR said.  "She likes to be in control and she can hardly do anything at the moment."


"But you said she was doing as well as expected."


"She is.  It's just going to take a lot of time to recover.  If she moves too quickly she gets nauseous.  Loud noises really scare her and upset her."


"Then we need to be quiet and not let her move suddenly."


"I'm trying."


"Can she walk?"


"Yes, of course she can."


"Why don't you take her out to the Thinking Rock?  It's very peaceful there and no one will disturb you."


"That's not a bad idea," JR said pulling away from Ben.  "A little exercise might be good for her."


"Don't go if she doesn't want to," Ben cautioned.


"Right."


"I wish you had called me when this happened," Ben felt compelled to say.


"I was so scared and upset, I didn't really know what I was doing.  And we didn't want to disturb you."  JR looked into her father's eyes seeking forgiveness for shutting him out.


"Are you okay now?" Ben asked with worry in his voice.


"Yeah, I think so.  This is the first time anything like this has happened to us.  I'm trying to feel my way along."


"I'd say you're doing great so far."


"Thanks, Dad," JR said with a smile for the first time since Ben had arrived.  "Maybe I'll pack some cheese and crackers to take to the Thinking Rock, and we can sit in the shade and eat them."


"That sounds good, and keeping Jacqueline out of the sun is probably a good idea.  Listen, could we talk soon?" Ben asked remembering why he had come to the B&B in the first place.


"Sure, Jacqueline has been going to bed really early, so I could pop over tonight if you like."


"That would be great. I'll see you later."  Ben turned to leave.


"Dad, thanks," JR said.  "For the advice and for the ... hug.  I needed it."


"Anytime," Ben said with a smile before he made his way back to the log cabin.


 


*****


 


JR was packing cheese and crackers into a basket she had found in the front hall cupboard.  It would work fine as a picnic basket.  The patio door slid open and Jacqueline came slowly into the B&B.


"What are you doing?" Jacqueline asked.


"What does it look like?"


"Little Red Riding Hood packing her basket to go confront the Big Bad Wolf," Jacqueline said with a crooked grin.


JR laughed.  "You must be feeling better, and that would make you the Big Bad Wolf."


"I can take that role."


"Feeling frisky, are you?" JR asked.


"I wish.  I'm feeling somewhat human, and that's about as good as it gets."


"That's better than you felt yesterday," JR reminded her.  "Did you have a nap?"


"I dozed a bit in the shade of the umbrella."


"That's good.  Sleep is the best thing for you."


"As long as it's not the sleep that you don't wake up from."


"Jacqueline!" JR reacted.  "That's a horrible thing to say."


"Sorry, Babe, but that's kind of how I feel.  This isn't how our holiday was supposed to go."


"I know, but you're going to be okay, and we're here ... together.  It will be fine."


Jacqueline shook her head gently.  "Ever the optimist," she said with a smile.  "I guess I should be grateful that I have you here looking after me."


"Damn right!" JR said with a warm smile.


"Just what the fuck are you doing?"


JR chuckled.  That was Jacqueline.  Whenever things got a little too personal or sentimental, she could rely on Jacqueline to change the subject.  "I thought you might like to see a special place on the lane, if you're feeling up to a little walk."


"I could walk a bit," Jacqueline replied.


"Good, and to answer your question about what I'm doing ... I'm making us a picnic."


Jacqueline stared at her lover.  "A picnic?"


"Yes, don't you like picnics?"


"Never been to a picnic," Jacqueline said slowly.


"What?"  JR frowned.


"You heard me."


"You never had a picnic as a child?" JR asked.


"Nope.  Grew up in the big city.  Closest I got to a picnic was eating a hotdog on a park bench."


JR shook her head.  There was still a lot she didn't know about Jacqueline.  "Are you okay with doing this?"


"Sure, I guess, maybe."


"We don't have to do it if you don't want to," JR advised her.


"I'm sick of staying in here, so let's go."


"Good, but take it easy, okay?"


"What?  You think I'm going to run up and down the fucking lane?"


JR laughed.  "God, I hope not, for your own good.  But when you're feeling better, I'd buy a ticket to see that."


Jacqueline chuckled.  "You're a nut.  Guess that's why I love you."


"That, and many other reasons," JR said with a wink.


Jacqueline slowly shook her head a little bit.  Rapid movements still gave her a headache.  JR put a folded up blanket over the contents of the basket and lifted it onto her arm.


"Ready to go?" she asked.


"Ready as I'll ever be."


The girls walked arm in arm to the front door of the B&B.  JR made sure that Jacqueline had sunglasses and a hat before they set out.  When they started up the lane, they walked slowly, not rushing or making any quick movements.


As they rounded the end of the conjoined cottages and started toward the Wendy house and the path, they heard a voice call out, "Hey, ladies."


Jacqueline slowly turned her head and saw Brian Kinney down on his knees weeding his gardens at the back of his cottage.  "Mr. Kinney," she said softly.


Brian got to his feet.  He was wearing his gardening overalls and nothing else.  "I believe I've told you to call me Brian," he said as he approached the girls.


"You just seem more like a Mr. Kinney than a Brian."


"She's incorrigible, Uncle Brian," JR said.


"So I see.  Does that mean she's feeling better?"


"Hey, I'm right here," Jacqueline protested pointing to herself.  "And I'm doing fine."


"Glad to hear it," Brian said.  "Have you talked to Ben yet?" he asked JR.


"He came to the B&B this morning.  I'm going to see him tonight."


"You are?" Jacqueline asked.


"Yes, after I get you tucked into bed."


"What am I - two?"


"You act like it sometimes," JR reminded her.


Brian cleared his throat, hoping to fend off an argument.   He didn't want to get in the middle of a spat between the two women.  "Where are you ladies off to?" he asked to change the subject.


"The clearing," JR said.


"Not the Thinking Rock?"


"I think it will be in the sun this time of day, so we'll stay in the shade instead."


"Good idea.  Glad you're starting to feel better, Jacqueline.  Enjoy the day, ladies."  Brian turned to go back to his weeding.


"He is one fine man," Jacqueline said as they started down the path.


"He's fine in more ways than one," JR told her.


It didn't take them long to arrive at the clearing where the Thinking Rock sat near the stream.


"This is it," JR said as they came to the end of the path and out of the trees.


"And that must be the famous Thinking Rock," Jacqueline said pointing to the big rock in front of them.


"Yep," JR said.


"What do people do at the Thinking Rock?" Jacqueline asked.


"Think."


"Ha, ha!"


"I'm not kidding, they come here, sit on the rock and think about life or problems or what they want to do."


"Have you done that?"


"Once or twice."


"And did you get answers?" Jacqueline asked.


"Not exactly, but sitting there gives you a chance to really sort through things without interruption."


"Hm," Jacqueline said.


"Let's spread the blanket under this big tree.  It'll be cool and out of the sun."


The girls soon had the picnic laid out on the blanket.  JR helped Jacqueline sit gently so she didn't jar her head.  They enjoyed the cheese and crackers and fruit that JR had packed.  JR insisted that Jacqueline drink lots of the water she had packed for them.  When they were finished eating they put everything except the water bottles back in the basket and laid back on the blanket.


"Are you enjoying your first picnic?" JR asked.


"Surprisingly I am."


JR smiled and leaned over to kiss her girlfriend.  "I'm glad."


"What are you going to tell Ben tonight?" Jacqueline asked.


"The truth."


"And what's the truth?"


"Hopefully I'll know when the time comes," JR told her.


"Good luck."


"Thanks, I may need all the luck I can get."


"Love you," Jacqueline said as she shifted slightly and closed her eyes.


JR watched her, staying still until Jacqueline's even breathing indicated that she had fallen asleep.  JR wondered if she should go sit on the Thinking Rock and see if she could figure out what to say to Ben.  She wanted Ben and her father to get back together.  But she knew she couldn't force that to happen.

 

She watched the light filter through the leaves of the big tree and dapple the ground in front of her.  Finally her eyes closed too and she dozed off.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


 


Chapter 8


 


 


 


"Hey, wake up, sleepyhead," JR said gently giving Jacqueline a little nudge.


"Hm, what?  Where am I?" Jacqueline mumbled as she came around.


"We both dozed off.  We're in the clearing by the Thinking Rock."


"Oh, right, yeah, we had a picnic."


JR smiled.  "We certainly did, and you even enjoyed it."


"I believe I did," Jacqueline said with a smile.  "What time is it?"


JR pulled her phone from the basket.  "It's after two. I think we should get you home."


"I guess I was really tired," Jacqueline said as she pushed herself up gently to a sitting position.


"Me too," JR agreed standing up and helping Jacqueline to stand.  "This whole thing has taken its toll on us."


"Yeah," Jacqueline concurred.


JR folded the blanket and put it in the basket.  She linked her arm through Jacqueline's just to be sure that her lover was steady on her feet.  "You okay to go?" she asked.


"Yeah."


They had barely reached the start of the path back to the lane when they heard voices up ahead.


"Wonder who that is?" JR mused.


They stopped and waited as Patrick, Peter and someone JR thought she vaguely remembered came into view.


"Hey, JR," Patrick said as he noticed the two girls.  "We're not interrupting you, are we?" Patrick asked, knowing that when people were at the Thinking Rock, they might not want anyone else to join them.


"We were just heading back to the B&B," JR told him.


"How are you?" Patrick asked Jacqueline.  "Is your head any better?"


"A little better every day," Jacqueline replied.


"Good," Patrick said.  "Do you remember Chet, JR?"


"Right, Chet," JR repeated.  "I thought you looked familiar.  You were at a Labor Day get-together a few years ago."


"Yeah," Chet responded, not really remembering this girl.  He had met so many people that day.


"Chet goes to private school," Patrick informed them.  "He's home for a while this summer."


"Is that right?" JR said.  She vaguely remembered that Bree hadn't liked Chet very much.  He still seemed a little stand-offish.  "We need to get out of the sun," she said quickly as she pulled Jacqueline gently into the path.  "See you later, Peter."


"Okay," Peter replied.  He hadn't been sure that JR and her girlfriend had even seen him.  He was still very quiet most of the time.


"So that's Debbie's latest project," Jacqueline commented as they walked along the path.


"Be nice," JR warned.


"I'm always nice."


JR coughed knowingly.  "We should invite Grandma Deb, Carl and Peter for dinner one night," JR said thoughtfully as they entered the lane and headed for the B&B.  "I've never gotten to know Peter."


"Maybe when I'm a little stronger," Jacqueline said in her most pathetic voice.


JR snorted.  "Yeah, stronger."


 


*****


 


"So who's she to you?" Chet asked Patrick as the boys made their way to the Thinking Rock.


"JR?  I don't think she's anything to me, except as a friend."


"She's not related to you?"


"No, she's Michael's daughter."


"Michael's the one who has that monster log cabin, right?" Chet asked.


"Yeah, him and Ben.  Ben's staying here for the summer, but Michael is back in Pittsburgh.  He has a comic book store there."


"She's the one who helps at the comic book store?"


"Yes, she plans to take it over when her father retires."


"Hmpph," Chet replied.


"What?  She likes working there."


"That's not much of an ambition in life," Chet told him.


"Who says?" Peter asked.  He had been listening to all this shit from Chet, and he had finally had enough.


Chet studied the young man he had just met a bit before.  He apparently was living with someone on the lane.  He was a misfit, at least that's what Chet would call him, even though Patrick had tried to make it seem like it was a good thing that this kid had to be taken in by strangers.  "It's just an observation," Chet said.  "She seems like a smart girl.  I would have thought she'd go to university."


"Maybe university isn't for everyone," Peter said petulantly, knowing that he would probably never get the opportunity to go.


"I guess not," Chet agreed.


"Hey, I thought we were going to go for a dip," Patrick interrupted.  He was afraid Chet would make a comment about JR not being smart enough to go to university.  He didn't want Chet and Peter to get into it.  He stripped off his shorts to reveal his swimsuit and headed for the stream.


"We're swimming in that?" Chet asked.


"Yeah, what did you think when I brought you through the woods?"


"I thought maybe there was a pool out here."


"There's a shallow pool in the stream up there," Patrick said pointing just upstream from the Thinking Rock."


"Are there fish and other ... things in there?" Chet asked with apprehension.


"I've never seen any," Patrick said.


Peter peeled off his shorts and walked to the edge of the stream.  "Nothing's going to bite your toe off," he told Chet before he waded into the water.  "The water's great," he said as he sat down in the gentle current.  "Nice and cool."


"Come on," Patrick said as he joined Peter in the water.


Chet slowly took off his shorts.  He wasn't so sure about this stream thing.  He liked swimming in pools where you could see the bottom and the sides and everything.  He stuck his toe in the stream hoping Peter was right, and nothing would bite it off.  When nothing happened he waded in a little farther.


"Come, sit with us," Patrick said to Chet.  "The water feels great when it runs over your body."  He leaned back into the gentle current of the stream and let out an audible 'ah'.


Chet ventured into the stream and carefully sat down beside Patrick.  The cool water did feel nice as it flowed over his legs and around his butt.


"Lean back," said Patrick.  "That way you get the cool water on your shoulders and back."


Chet obliged.  He had to admit the whole experience was pretty good.  He just hoped he wasn't getting leeches up his ass.


The boys enjoyed the water, just sitting and occasionally splashing each other.  They talked and laughed, cracking jokes.  Peter even contributed once or twice.  He still felt that Chet looked down on him, but he managed not to get too upset about it.  After about half an hour in the stream, they dried off lying on the Thinking Rock.  It was a good afternoon.


About an hour later Patrick said goodbye to Chet when Chet's dad picked him up in his big Mercedes.  Peter had enjoyed lemonade with them in the sun porch, but he was ready to go home.  As much as he liked Patrick, he wasn't ready to spend a whole day with anybody.  He needed some time alone.


"Are you coming to dinner?" Patrick called after him as Peter started down the lane.


"I don't know," Peter said.  "I'll talk to Debbie."


"Okay," Patrick said as he watched Peter walk away.  He felt like the whole time with Chet had been a silent battle between Chet and Peter.  Even though Patrick liked Chet, he would be spending a lot more time with Peter on the lane, and he didn't want things to be weird between them.  Shaking his head, he started around the conjoined cottages to the swing.  Maybe a quick ride on the swing would clear his head and make things seem better.  He didn't think he wanted to go back to the Thinking Rock.  The swing would have to do.


 


***** 


 


 “Um, knock, knock,” Ben quietly called out as he slowly entered the sun porch of the conjoined cottages.


“Hey, Ben,” Justin replied sweetly as he secured his latest work to one of the pulleys.  After checking then rechecking the clamps, he slowly raised the painting to the rafters.


“You know, I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed you do that before,” Ben stated with awe.  “I mean I’ve seen your work hundreds of times up there,” Ben said as he pointed up.  “But I’ve never actually watched how you did it.  That’s truly ingenious.”


“John’s the genius, but you don’t have to butter me up, you know,” Justin said as he began to make order out of the chaos by cleaning up all of his painting paraphernalia.


“I, uh, I know,” Ben stuttered.  He had no idea what to say or how to say it.  Ben felt foolish and was beginning to sweat.  Just then Brian rounded the spiral staircase making Ben jump.


“Chill, Professor, we’re good,” Brian stated as he went to Justin’s side to gently buss his temple.  Justin looked up and gave Brian a beatific smile.


“I want to apologize to both of you.  I was out of line.  I don’t know what’s gotten into me,” Ben said with sadness and frustration.


“Ben,” Justin began, “it’s very simple, you miss Michael.”  Justin told him this in a reasonable tone.


“Out of the mouth of Sunshine,” Brian quipped with that know-it-all grin of his.  “He’s right.”


“I’m always right,” Justin said as he led both men into the kitchen.


Brian took out a few beers from the refrigerator, twisting off the caps then offering one to Ben.  Ben graciously accepted the cold brew, took a good long pull before slumping into the nearest chair.


“I fucked up, didn’t I?”  Ben put it out there to no one in particular.  He stared at the bottle in his hand then looked up when no one spoke.  “I miss him so much but I don’t think I can call him just yet.”


“Why?” Justin gently asked.


“Because I’m selfish,” Ben whispered sadly as he shook his head.


“Why do you say that?” Justin gingerly urged Ben.


“God, I love him so much, but you don’t know how exhausting Michael can be!” Ben admitted.


“Preaching to the choir, Prof,” Brian snarked. 


“Brian,” Justin admonished then glared at Brian who immediately shut up then concentrated on his beer.


“He’s right, though.  I’ve known from almost the moment I met Michael that he was going to be a challenge to live with.  In those early days, I didn’t think I’d live long enough to be able to complain about him.  I was grateful for each day; I still am.” 


Justin jumped up from his chair to give Ben a strong hug; he readily accepted the contact.  Justin’s sturdy body reminded Ben of Michael.  Ben closed his eyes as he felt himself relax into Justin’s embrace.  After several moments when Ben realized just who was in his arms his eyes snapped open.  He looked up at Brian who merely smirked then stealthily left the kitchen leaving Ben to Justin’s ministrations.


“Am I in trouble again?” Ben asked as he released Justin and they both sat down.


“No, of course not, but we are concerned.  First, tell me honestly, are you okay?  Physically, I mean.”


“I’m fine.  I recently saw my doctor and all things considered, he says I’m in excellent health.  My viral load remains undetectable and I’m still able to take only one pill a day,” Ben reassured his friend.  He was graced with a sunny smile.


“What are you going to do?”


“About Michael, I have no clue but if I have your permission, I’d really like to work on my book,” Ben said, pleading with his eyes.


“You have it,” Justin assured Ben.


“And Brian, do you think he’ll ever forgive me for acting…”


“Like an ass?” Brian supplied as he strolled back into the kitchen.  Ben stiffened.  “Easy, Professor, I said we’re good.  If this were an alternate reality, I’d have you kissing my ass.  Better yet, I’d just have you.  But since we’re living in the here and now and as long as all the subjects in your book give you written consent, including the kids, you have my permission to write your wittle book.”


“Thank you, Brian.”


“Don’t thank me, thank our little Mary Sunshine.  Just keep those big mitts of yours to yourself.”  His little Mary Sunshine rolled his eyes.


“Go away, Brian, you’re being an ass.  Better yet, go review a contract or something.”


“Yes, dear,” Brian squeaked as he left the kitchen.


“And you think you’re exhausted!” Justin exclaimed with a huff, making Ben laugh.


 


*****


 


A quick knock on the B&B door alerted the girls that someone was outside.  Before either of them could get up from their lounges on the back deck, the door opened and Debbie came barreling in.


"JR," she shouted.


"Out here," JR replied giving her head a shake and looking at Jacqueline who merely shrugged.


"Hi, sweetheart," Debbie said as she joined the girls on the back patio.  "Just wanted to invite you two for dinner tonight.  I think it would be great for you to spend some time with us and Peter.  You've hardly seen him."


"I was thinking the same thing," JR said with a smile, "but maybe not tonight."


"Why not tonight?" Debbie demanded with a frown.


"I took Jacqueline to the Thinking Rock this afternoon.  I think she overdid it a bit.  I don't want her to get overtired."


"Oh?  Still having headaches?" Debbie asked as she remembered what had happened to the girl.  "I thought you were feeling better."


"I am, just not a hundred percent."


"Are you two staying for a few more days?"


"Yes," JR replied.  "I want Jacqueline back to normal before we go back to Pittsburgh."


"Okay, let me know when you're ready for a dinner."


"Thanks, Grandma," JR said standing up and giving Debbie a warm hug.  "I'll walk you out."


Debbie gave JR a look, but didn't protest.  "Is she really okay?" Debbie asked when they reached the front door and were out of earshot of Jacqueline.


"She's all right, but she needs to be careful and not overdo it."


"And I'm a bit hard to take," Debbie said with a laugh.


"Grandma!  It's just that it takes a lot out of her to..."


"Be nice for a long time."


JR grinned.  "Got it in one," she admitted.


"Let me know when you're ready to come to dinner."


"Will do," JR said before closing the door on her grandmother.


 


*****


 


“So what do you think?” Ray asked Gus as they were leaving Kinnetik North for the evening.


“About what?”


“Shelly.”


“What about her?” Gus asked making Ray sigh.


“What do you think about her ideas, her decisions, her business savvy?” Ray asked, his voice growing louder with each question.  Gus pulled their car over to give Ray his full attention.


“You want to know what I really think?” Gus asked.  Ray nodded but wasn’t sure if he was going to like the answer.  “Shelly certainly knows the market.  I know she didn’t start out in advertising but she’s studying everything and anything she can get her hands on to educate herself.  She’s also studying the workings of each Kinnetik branch.”


“How do you know all this?”


“I asked and I also observed; something as a lawyer you should be good at.”  Gus gave Ray a look.  “Ray, Shelly grew up in Toronto; she knows the culture and the businesses here.  She also doesn’t intimidate the ad execs, and her common sense more than makes up for the fact that she doesn’t know a thing about art.” 


Ray pondered the facts as Gus laid them all out.  “What do you mean she doesn’t intimidate the ad execs?”  Gus rolled his eyes at Ray.  Ray shrugged his shoulders.


“Mama is scarier than shit; Cynthia reminds them of my dad, and my dad is Brian Kinney, for fucks sake!  The only ones they’re not intimidated by are you and Ted.  Although, I personally think we all should be a little scared of Uncle Ted.  When he thinks a branch isn’t pulling their weight, oh boy can he get upset.”  The boys chuckled at the thought of Ted flying into a rampage over the bottom line.


“Why would the staff be afraid of you?” Ray asked his sweet, loveable, totally unintimidating boyfriend. 


Gus closed his eyes for a moment to compose himself.  When he opened them he gave Ray the full blown Brian Kinney glare of death, arched eyebrow included.


“Whoa!  Stay back!” Ray said as he raised his hands, crossing his index fingers as if to ward off a vampire.  Gus just shook his head.  “I get it.  I get it.  Baby Brian in the making.”


Gus put the car in gear to continue their drive home.


“How much longer will we stay?” Ray asked.


“Not much longer.  Pop wants us to firm up that contract with Waldon Industries before we go.”


“Isn’t that the one Bree had a hand in?”


“Yup!” Gus said with pride.  “She was just a kid.”


“She still is a kid.”


“Don’t let her hear you say that,” Gus warned.


“Are you kidding, I may be crazy but I’m not stupid,” Ray professed.  “What if Waldon wants to talk to Bree?”


“We can do a web conference if necessary.”  Ray nodded in agreement.  “But to answer your original question, I’d like to go to London soon.  The last time I talked to Shane he told me his friend Pierre is very interested in forming a partnership between his company and Isles.  That connection will help solidify our European contracts.”


“So Paris, here we come?” Ray said with a broad smile. 


Gus mirrored his smile as he murmured, “Paris.” 


 Gus parked the car close to the apartment.  The boys had planned on a quiet dinner together and then a not so quiet evening to follow.


 


*****


 


A little after nine o'clock JR knocked on the door of the log cabin.  It was quickly opened by Ben.  He gave his daughter a warm hug and ushered her into the expansive living room.


"I was starting to think you might not come," Ben said softly.


"I told you I'd be here, and I keep my word," JR declared.


"I know, sweetheart.  Would you like a glass of wine?"


"I'd love a glass of white, please," JR replied.  She sat down while Ben went to the kitchen to get them each a glass of white wine.  "You don't usually drink," JR observed. 


"I have a beer every now and then, and this seems like a good idea at the moment," Ben said with a sigh.  He took a drink of his wine.


"Are you worried about you and Dad?" JR asked with a frown.


"Of course I am.  I hate being separated from Michael, and we haven't even talked since..."


"Since his ultimatum," JR supplied when Ben hesitated to complete his statement.


"I don't understand why he can't give a little," Ben replied shaking his head.


"He doesn't like to admit that he's wrong."


"Don't I know it."


"And he is wrong," JR stated.


"You think he's wrong?"


"I do."


"Could you tell him that?" Ben asked with a rueful smile.


"I have."


"Really?"


"Yes, really, but he isn't willing to admit that he might be wrong."


"What can I do?" Ben asked.  "I'm at my wit's end."


JR looked at him thoughtfully for several seconds.  "Call him," she said finally.


"Why should I be the one to call?" Ben asked surprised at JR's suggestion.


"You shouldn't be the one, but I don't think he's going to do it."


Ben shook his head.  "I don't want to give in this time."


"I'm not saying you should give in.  In fact, I'd say the exact opposite.  But I don't think he's going to call you.  You know how stubborn he can be."


"Yeah, I do."


"So, if you called it would open up the lines of communication.  You don't have to go back to Pittsburgh, just tell him that you miss him."


"You think that will help?"


"It's the only plan I can think of."


Ben drew in a breath.  "I guess I could give it a try," Ben said reluctantly.


 


*****


 


Back in Pittsburgh Michael walked through his front door.  He had gotten a late shipment of comics plus the action figures that went with them.  He was tired from uncrating the boxes, arranging comics, and the toys.  His storeroom looked like a disaster area but the comics looked great in their racks.  Michael decided to handle the empty cartons in the morning.


The house was dark except for one small lamp in the living room.  Michael hated coming home to a dark and quiet house.  He missed Ben so much but was too stubborn to call him.  Michael couldn’t understand why everyone thought he was wrong.  After all Ben did leave him, right?

 

Michael made himself a small sandwich, poured himself a glass of milk then ate his sandwich in the kitchen with only his lonely thoughts for company.  When he was finished he cleaned up then went to bed.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


 


Chapter 9


 


 


 


Ben picked up his phone and stared at it, willing it to ring.  After a couple of minutes of silence from the obstreperous instrument, Ben sighed heavily.  He set the phone back down on the table still staring at it.  He had spent a restless and mostly sleepless night after his talk with JR.  He suspected she was right, and it was up to him to make the first move.  He just wasn't sure that he could do it.  He didn't know what to say to get through to Michael, and he certainly didn't want to give in and go back to Pittsburgh to appease Michael.


"What the fuck am I going to do?" Ben muttered to himself.


He leaned back in his chair.  It wasn't like him to be a coward about something like this, but he knew Michael only too well.  No matter what Ben said, the only way to make Michael happy was to give in, and he did not want to do that.  Ben pondered all the things he might say, finding them all wanting.


"Michael, I'm sorry.  I love you."


"Then come home ... now," would be Michael's reply.


"Michael, I'm not coming to Pittsburgh, but I love you and want to fix things."


"If you really love me, then come to Pittsburgh," would be Michael's reply.


"Michael, I forgive you..."


"Forgive me for what?" would be Michael's reply.


Ben shook his head.  That little exercise had got him nowhere.  He picked up the phone again and drawing in a breath of resolve, he hit number 1 on his speed dial.


"Hello?"


"Michael," Ben replied, a smile gracing his handsome face.  It had been so long since he had talked to his husband.


"Who's this?" Michael asked, his voice as cutting as he could make it.


"Michael ... you know who it is.  It's me, Ben."


The line was silent for so long that Ben began to wonder if he had been cut off, or if Michael had simply hung up on him.


"Michael?" Ben asked.


"What do you want?"


"I ... I miss you."


Again, a long silence.


"Michael, did you hear me?"


"Yes ... I miss you too."


"You do?"


"Of course I do.  Why don't you come and join me?" Michael asked trying to keep the whine out of his voice.


"You know I can't do that," Ben said rubbing his hand across his face.  He knew it would come down to this.


"Why can't you?  I could even come and get you."


"You would?"


"Of course I would," Michael said gently.  He felt like he was winning and didn't want to mess it up.


"Michael, I can't come to Pittsburgh," Ben said gently.  "I'm finally getting started on my book."


"Started?" Michael gasped.  "I thought you'd be finished by now."


"You don't write a book in a few days."


"I ... I hoped when you called that you were coming back ... to me."


Ben heard the despair in Michael's voice.  It mirrored his own feelings.  He was a fraction of a second away from giving in.  He drew in a long breath to steady his emotions.


"Ben, I want you with me," Michael begged.


"Then come here," Ben requested.  He so wanted to hold his husband and make it all right, but this struggle was one he knew he couldn't relinquish or things would never be right again between him and Michael.


"Me?  Come there?" Michael asked, the incredulity in his voice coming through.


"Yes, come back to the lane and our home here."


"That's not our home.  That's just ... a summer place.  Your home is here with me."


"Michael?"


"I thought you wanted to get back together, but I guess I was just fooling myself," Michael whined.


"I do want to get back together," Ben protested.


"But you're not willing to come home."


"What about you coming here?  Why do I always have to be the one to give in?" Ben demanded feeling his temper rise.


"You're being unreasonable," Michael stated flatly.


"I'm being unreasonable!  That's rich!"


"What ... what do you mean by that?"


"You sure as fuck must realize that all these years since we've been together you have gotten your way in everything.  And this time that's not going to happen!" Ben snarled.


He pulled the phone away from his ear and hit 'end'.  Maybe it truly was the end.


 


*****


 


"You ready to go?" JR asked Jacqueline who was adjusting the sundress she was wearing, pulling the straps higher on her shoulders.


"If we have to."


"Look, I got our dinner with grandma down to a quick salad supper.  We don't have to stay long."


"I know.  I'm being ungracious," Jacqueline said with a sigh.  "Sorry, and thanks for making this as easy as possible," she added.


"But you still don't want to go, do you?"


"It'll be okay."


"What is it with you and family?" JR asked with a frown.


Jacqueline shook her head.  "I never had much of a family growing up.  I had to mostly fend for myself."


"Is that why I've never met any of them?"


"Exactly.  There's nobody worth meeting.  Let's go," Jacqueline said heading for the door.  She didn't want to discuss this any further.


The girls walked down the lane to the thatched cottage.


Debbie greeted them effusively at the front door and hustled them into the living room.  Carl and Peter were sitting on the couch.  Carl got up immediately and went to give the girls a hug.  He nodded decisively toward Peter who also stood.  JR hugged Carl warmly, while Jacqueline made a perfunctory hug and then sat down in the armchair.  Peter just stood there.


"Drinks?" Carl asked as he looked to JR for an answer.


"I'd love a glass of wine," JR said, thinking she needed it more than the rest of them knew.  She hoped they could get through this meal without an outright confrontation of some sort.  "Jacqueline's not supposed to have any alcohol till she's cleared by the doctor."


"I've got lemonade," Debbie called from the kitchen.


"Coming, dear," Carl said as he and JR headed to the kitchen to get the drinks.


Peter sat down across from Jacqueline and they stared at each other.


"So you're Peter," Jacqueline said.


"And you're Jacqueline."


"Right, I've heard about you."


"Heard about you too," Peter countered, even though he had heard very little.


"Nothing good, I hope," Jacqueline snarked.


"No, nothing good."  Peter managed to keep his face from grinning.  He was enjoying this encounter.


Jacqueline giggled in spite of herself.  "I haven't heard much good about you either."


"I'm surprised you heard anything at all."


"Why do you say that?"


Peter thought about how to answer that question finally deciding to be honest.  "I mostly stay under the radar."


"That can be useful."


"Yeah," Peter agreed.  He allowed himself to smile, just a little bit.


"A man of few words I see," Jacqueline observed.


"Talk usually gets me into trouble."


"I can see how that might happen."


"You can?" Peter asked.  Mostly people tried to get him to talk, but this woman wasn't forcing him to say more than he wanted.


"Yeah, I'm not much of a conversationalist.  I mostly watch and observe."


"And judge?"


Jacqueline chuckled again.  "I suppose I do."  She studied Peter more closely.  "I think we might actually have a lot in common."


"Oh?" Peter asked.  "Like ... what?"


"I don't have much use for most people.  I see them as customers in my business, and otherwise, who gives a fuck?"


Peter opened his eyes wide.  He'd never heard anyone say anything like that before.  "Does that include the people on the lane?" he asked with a frown.  Even though he felt like Jacqueline did about most people, the ones who lived on the lane were different.  He wondered if she felt the same about them.


"JR is very special, and everybody else on the lane is ... interesting.  And they don't butt into my life too much," Jacqueline said.


"Lucky you," Peter griped.


"They been hassling you?"


"On and off," Peter admitted.  "They always want me to talk."


"And you don't want to."


"No, I don't.  But don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that they've accepted me.  I know they're only trying to help."


"But even that can be overwhelming sometimes."


"Yeah," Peter said softly.


"Well, hang in there is the only advice I can give you."


"Like I have any other choice."


They both chuckled at that remark.


"What's up with you two?" JR asked as she handed lemonade to her girlfriend.


"Nothing," they both said together causing them to laugh some more.


JR studied them wondering what had gone on while she was in the kitchen.


It wasn't long until Debbie called them to the table.  The food was delicious and they all managed to make small talk and get through the evening without any problem.


As JR and Jacqueline walked back to the B&B, JR asked, "It wasn't so bad, was it?"


"Surprisingly, no," Jacqueline said.


"What was going on with you and Peter?"


"Nothing, really.  We just had a little chat, nothing more."


JR looked at her lover in the pale light of a setting sun.  She knew there was more to it than that.


 


*****


 


“Hey Pop, did I wake you?” Gus asked when his call was finally answered.


“Yeah, but it’s all right, Sonny Boy,” Brian sleepily replied.  “You arrive in jolly ole England?”


“Right on time,” Gus said cheerfully.


“You’re much too jolly for me,” Brian mumbled as he cracked open an eye to check the time.  “Shit, did you just land?”


“Sorry, Pop, by the time we get our bags and stuff…”


“Yeah, yeah, been there done that, have the t-shirt.  Check in with Shane before you and Ray crash.  When you figure out if you’re going to Paris or if Paris is coming to you, let me know.”


“I will, Pop!”


“I love you, Sonny Boy.”


“Love you too.”


“Send an email to your sister, both of them.”


“Will do.”


“I’m proud of you, Gus.  And I’m proud of that lawyer you insist on living with.  You stay safe and next time call me at a decent hour.”  Gus laughed before the Kinney men said goodbye.


As Brian snuggled back into his bed, Justin mumbled, “Who was that?”


“Gus, he and Ray just landed.”


“They okay?”


“They’re fine.  Go back to sleep, Sunshine.  It’s too fucking early to have a conversation,” Brian grumbled as he pulled Justin close to tuck him under his arm.


“I can think of something that doesn’t require any conversation,” Justin stated suddenly very awake.  He slipped a hand possessively in between Brian’s legs.


“Sunshine, what do you have in mind?”  Brian smirked.


“Shhh, no talking,” Justin commanded; he placed a finger over Brian’s lips as he took over. 


Brian immediately stopped talking.


 


*****


 


A tall lanky brunet stretched.  He wiggled his toes as he scratched his crotch.  He sat up when he realized he was alone in the king sized bed.


“Ray?”


“Out here.  I ordered room service.”


“Oh thank the gods,” Gus murmured.  His stomach spoke loudly as he flopped back into the soft mattress.  He was soon joined by his partner.


“Hey,” Ray greeted as he crawled up onto the bed and closer to Gus.


“Hey,” Gus smiled at his lover.  “Do we have time for this?”


“Nope, but I can’t resist your charms,” Ray teased.  Gus’ stomach took that moment to again speak up.  Fortunately a knock on the door announced room service.  “Hold that thought.”  Ray jumped up to answer the door while Gus threw on some clothes.


After a hearty English breakfast, a shower, shave, and fast sex (not necessarily in that order) the boys were off to Kinnetik Isles to terrorize the populace.


“Lads!  Good to see you looking bright eyed and bushy tailed,” Shane exclaimed.  “Are you ready to take Europe by storm?” 


The boys laughed, took off their jackets then got down to business.  Hours later when most of the Isles staff had left for the day, the boys were still hard at work.


“Boys, you know that old adage, all work and no play?” Shane began.  The boys looked up from their workstations.  “It’s time to go play,” Shane said as he made a shooing movement with his hands.


“Is it really that late?” Ray asked as he checked his watch.


“Yes, it is, and tomorrow is another day,” Shane assured them.  “Now go have a nice dinner.  There’s nothing here that can’t be done tomorrow.  You got the Isles’ staff hopping today.  I’d be very surprised if there’s any work left to be done a’tall!”


The boys laughed at Shane’s expressions.


“Okay, we get the hint,” Gus said as he reached for his sport coat.


“But we’ll be back!” Ray growled in a Terminator type fashion. 


Shane feigned an expression of horror.  “Be off with you,” he said as he hurried the boys out the door.  Shane watched the boys descend the steps then hail a cab.  Before leaving for the night Shane made two calls.


“Pierre, are you available for lunch tomorrow?  Good, then we’ll see you there.”  Shane smiled as he made a notation in his business diary then again picked up the phone.  “There you be,” Shane teased as his call was answered.  “I was beginnin’ to suspect I was interruptin’ somethin’ important,” Shane went on with an exaggerated brogue.


“Shane, me lad, you know a gentleman never kisses and tells,” Brian replied.


“Truer words were never spoke.”


“To what do I owe this honor?”


“Your lads came in stirrin’ up me shop like a tempest in a teacup.  Me staff don’t know what hit them!” 


Brian laughed out loud.  “Remind me to give my lads a raise,” Brian said when he stopped laughing.  “Your staff does very well without the tempest.  Schmidt is in raptures.  What about Paris?” Brian asked like the serious businessman he was, all teasing and play acting gone from his voice.


“The boys will meet Pierre at lunch tomorrow.”


“Use the good china, Theodore already budgeted it.”


“I shall.  And now, when do we next get to see your handsome face gracing us in our humble shop?”


“Not for a while.  Bree insists on a whirlwind tour of Europe.  I have to work my ass off to pay for it.”  Now it was Shane’s turn to laugh.  “However, you do get to see my younger face for the next few weeks.”


“Aye.  He’s a good lad, your Gus, and so is his young man.  They make a formidable team.”


“I agree.  I hope they’re not still working at this hour.”


“No, I sent them both packin’ a few minutes ago.  They earned their rest.”


“Good.  Keep me posted on Paris.”


“Aye.  You have a good night now.”


“You too, Shane, me lad,” the brogue was back.


Both men laughed as they cut their connection.


Brian paused, smiling before returning to his previous activity of wrestling with a stubborn weed when he was interrupted by Shane’s call.  Brian was very happy with Shane’s little report but expected no less from Gus, Ray, and Isles.  If all went well by the time Gus and Ray came back to the States, Kinnetik would have a firm presence in Europe.  That was a heady realization.  Brian Kinney, the poor kid from the wrong side of Pittsburgh now an advertising king on two continents.


As Brian was contemplating his past, present, and future, Justin walked out of the sun porch door with a large bottle of water.  He had caught the tail end of Brian’s conversation with Shane.


“What did Shane have to say?” Justin asked as he handed Brian the water.  Brian took a good long drink before responding.


“The boys scared the shit out of the Isles staff.  Shane said that everyone was so busy today that he doesn’t think that have any work left to do tomorrow!”  Brian and Justin grinned.


“And Paris?”


“Tomorrow.  Shane confirmed the boys will meet Pierre at lunch tomorrow.”


“Good.  What will be will be,” Justin stated.  “Are you almost through playing with plants?” Justin teased.


“I never play with plants,” Brian responded feigning offense.  “Keeping this garden weed free is serious business, my dear Sunshine.” 


Justin gave Brian a coy, come hither smile.  “On the other hand, there’s no rule stating I must complete this task all in one day.  One must learn to pace oneself.”  Justin’s smile became brighter.


Justin reached out his hand, waggling his eyebrows. 


Brian looked around the garden.  “Well, I guess I’m done for today,” Brian said as he took Justin’s hand into his.  


Justin stretched up on his toes to nibble Brian’s lips. 


“Let me rephrase that; I’m finished in the garden for the day, I am in no way finished with you.”


Justin gave Brian a brilliant smile as he led his man to bed for a post weeding afternoon “nap.”


 


*****


 


“This place looks expensive.  Can we afford it?” Ray whispered as they walked into a trendy restaurant.


“I’m more worried that we need a reservation,” Gus murmured back.


“I have an idea.”


“What?”


“Be your dad.”


“What!?”


“Be.  Your.  Dad,” Ray growled while giving Gus a poignant look.  Gus appeared to get it.  He closed his eyes, when he opened them Gus’ expression was smug with just the right amount of annoyance.


“Good evening, gentlemen,” the maître d' greeted them.  “Do you have a reservation?” he asked with a snooty attitude that grated on Gus’ nerves.  Gus grabbed Ray’s wrist to check the time then scanned the room which was more than half empty.


“Do we need a reservation?” Gus asked mimicking his father’s stern breathy tone.  The raised brow completed the tableau.  “The dinner rush is over and you’re half empty.  How can you afford not to seat us?”  Then Gus turned on the Kinney charm that rarely failed to seduce man or woman, gay or straight.


They were immediately seated at one of the best tables in the house.


“Are you sure we can pay for this?” Ray leaned in to whisper into Gus’ ear when he took a good look at the prices.


“Shush, that’s what a corporate card is for,” Gus said back, momentarily breaking his Brian Kinney persona.  He briefly perused the wine list and pointed out his choice to Ray.  “Can you order me a glass, I need to wash my hands.”  Ray nodded as Gus stood. 


In the privacy of the men’s room Gus sent a text to his dad and Shane.  “Have to make a show, using the card!”  Gus held his breath.  Within seconds, he received a “no problem” from Shane and a “Go for it, Sonny Boy” from his father.  Gus relaxed, washed his hands then strutted back to the table.  The boys enjoyed a great meal and excellent wine, unaware they were observed.


Gus used his corporate card to pay their check then in true Brian Kinney fashion, he handed his business card to the maître d'.  “Have the owner call me when he’s ready for this place to be full all the time.”  Gus gave the man the eyebrow as he and Ray sauntered out.


“Excuse me,” a good looking gentleman with a thick French accent approached the maître d'.


“Yes, how may I help you?  Are you enjoying your meal?” the maître d' asked.


“Yes, yes, the meal is superb.  That gentleman who just left, was his name Kinney by chance?”


“Sir, I’m not at liberty…”


“I understand.  But if I were looking for, let’s say, an advertising company, who would you recommend?” the man asked.  The maître d' looked down at the card in his hand.


“Kinnetik Isles, sir.”

 

“Kinnetik,” the man repeated with a strained voice.  “Thank you.”  He nodded to the maître d' then he returned to his table.  “Kinney,” the man cursed.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


 


Chapter 10


 


 


 


"How are you feeling today?" JR asked as she sipped her coffee.


"Better than yesterday," Jacqueline said with a small frown.  "I think I'm ready to go home."


"You sure?"


"Yeah, it's time." 


"How about tomorrow?"


"You want to stay a little longer on the lane?"


"I wish my dads could work out their problems.  I wonder if Ben called Pittsburgh," JR mused.


"It's not your responsibility, you know," Jacqueline cautioned.  "Their relationship is their relationship."


"I know, but I'd like to help them."


"Hm," was Jacqueline's only response.


JR's phone rang and she answered immediately hoping for good news.  "Ben," she said.


"Yeah, it's me."


"What's wrong?"


"Could you come over for a few minutes?"


"Sure, I'll be right there," JR said before she cut the connection.  "Ben wants me to come over," she told Jacqueline.


"So, go."


"You'll be okay?"


"I'm fine, go!"


JR hustled down the lane to meet Ben at the big log cabin.  He gave her a warm hug that went on much longer than normal.


"What happened?" she asked when he finally released her.


Ben hesitated before he replied.  He needed to talk to someone, but he didn't want to burden his daughter.  JR watched Ben noting the conflicting emotions that ran across his face.  He looked like shit, unshaven and probably not getting enough sleep.  She wanted to help. 


Finally Ben said, "I called Michael, and it went just as I expected.  He thinks I'm in the wrong and won't budge unless I go back to Pittsburgh."  Ben let out a long breath like the life was draining out of him.


"I'm so sorry," JR said.  "I thought he would be ready to give in."


"Michael doesn't give in unless he's forced to," Ben replied shaking his head.


"Unfortunately that's true," JR admitted.  "What can I do?"


"I thought maybe you could talk to him when you go back to Pittsburgh."


"I can give it a try."


"That's all I can ask," Ben said softly.  "I want to write my book, but it's so hard to concentrate with things the way they are between Michael and me."


"I'm so sorry.  Jacqueline and I are going back tomorrow, so I can talk to dad then," JR informed him.


"Tomorrow?"


"Yeah," JR said with a smile.  "Jacqueline's getting a little stir crazy."


"Is she really ready to go back to everyday life?  You don't want to rush things."


"She's ready," JR declared.  She had already experienced the telltale signs of frustration if she tried to keep Jacqueline longer on the lane.


"I'll be sorry to see you guys leave.  I hope you got at least a little R&R."


"You'll be okay, won't you?" JR asked looking into Ben's troubled eyes.


"Don't worry about me."


"I do worry about you ... and dad."


Ben shook his head again.  "We'll get through it, at least I hope we will."


JR gave him a big hug before leaving.  She was worried.  As she walked up the lane, she wondered what either Ben or her father would do without each other.  It would not be pretty.  She was not sure that either one of them could survive very long without the other.


As she approached the B&B, she hesitated then continued on up the lane.  She knocked at the door to Brian and Justin's cottage.  When she heard a 'come in' from somewhere inside she opened the door and entered.


"Hello!" she called.


"Out here."


She proceeded to the sun porch where she found Justin putting away his paintings.  She watched as he hauled them up to the ceiling.  That had always fascinated her.


"What's up?" Justin asked when he was finished with his job.


"I wanted to thank you and Brian for inviting us to stay on the lane.  It was a good getaway."


"Except for the whack on Jacqueline's head," Justin reminded her.


"Yeah, we could have done without that."


"How is she?"


"Going a little stir crazy.  She wants to go home, so we're going to leave tomorrow," JR said.


"Oh?  I thought you might stay a little longer."


"I'd like to."


"Then stay."


"Jacqueline needs to get back."


"You could stay by yourself," Justin suggested.


"I don't want to leave her on her own.  She's still recovering from that concussion."


"Right."


"But...um...there is something you could do for me."


"What's that?" Justin asked.


"Keep an eye on Ben.  I'm really worried about him.  "He's taking this separation from dad really hard."


"Yeah, I know.  I thought writing his book might take his mind off Michael." 


"I don't think he can concentrate on writing, on anything.  I'm going to talk to dad when I get back to Pittsburgh.  This has to stop."


"I agree.  I know Ben's miserable without Michael, and I assume it works the other way too."


JR nodded.  "I'm going to do my best to talk some sense into my stubborn father."


"If anyone can do that, it's you," Justin told her giving her a hug.  "If you insist on leaving tomorrow, come for a barbeque tonight, and you can say goodbye to everyone then."


"Thanks for the invitation.  I'll talk to Jacqueline about it and let you know."


"Okay," Justin said releasing her from the hug.  "Take care of yourself too."


"I will," JR promised.


 


*****


 


A while later Justin had told Brian about JR leaving and that he had invited the girls to a barbeque.  He also informed Brian about how worried JR was about Ben.


Brian nibbled on his bottom lip as he thought about the situation.  "I can see why she's worried.  Ben hasn't been himself since Michael left," Brian said.


"I wish Ben would come to the barbeque tonight," Justin said.


"It would be good for him to be with other people," Brian agreed.


"Maybe if you issued a personal invitation, he'd come," Justin said with a wink.


"Just what are you suggesting, young man?"


"Just an invitation from you, personally delivered.  He couldn't refuse."  Then Justin's brow wrinkled as a thought occurred to him.  "I do mean just an invitation.  You know that, right?"


"Oh ye of little faith," Brian said with a wink and a chuckle.  "I'll go talk to him now."


Brian walked down the lane checking out each of the gardens as he went past.  He made mental notes of things he needed to do to bring them all up to his stringent standards.  He knocked on the door of the log cabin and waited till Ben opened the door.


"Professor," Brian said cheerily as he walked past Ben into the main room of the log cabin.  "How's it going?"


"Okay," Ben said uncertainly.


"You don't look ... okay. Did you shave today?"


"I don't have to shave every day if I don't want to," Ben said defensively.


"No, you don't, but you don't usually look like shit every day either."


"I look like shit?" Ben asked in surprise.


"You didn't know?"


"No, I guess I didn't."


Brian chuckled.  "Look, professor, I know things haven't been going the way you want them to lately.  JR and Jacqueline are going back to Pittsburgh tomorrow and Justin wants to have a barbeque for them tonight.  So, be there."


"That sounds like I don't have a choice," Ben replied with a frown.


"You don't.  The girls will expect you and ... Sunshine wants you there."


"And Michael wants me in Pittsburgh," Ben said shaking his head before he slumped down onto the sofa.


"It's not quite the same thing," Brian said as he sat down beside Ben.


"How did you do it, Brian?  All those years with Michael and his demands and..."


"His whining and wheedling and stubbornness."


"Yeah."


"My relationship with Michael is not the same as yours.  Even if he might have liked it to be different, we were friends, and that's all.  I didn't have the investment you have in the relationship.  I didn't ... love Michael like you do."


"Like you love Justin."


"Yes," Brian admitted.


"How am I ever going to fix this?" Ben asked with a forlorn voice.


"You know, professor, for a smart guy, you are pretty dumb sometimes."


"What?  You have the magic fix?  Is that what you're telling me?"


"God no!  I'm just saying that you can't fix this by yourself.  It takes two of you, you and Michael.  Until he's willing to help in fixing it, stop beating yourself up.  Live your life, write your fucking book, let him know you can function without him.  Otherwise he has the upper hand."


"Shit!  I think you're right," Ben exclaimed.


"Of course I'm right.  I'm always right," Brian said with a smirk.  He stood up and started towards the door.  "Oh, and professor, be at the barbeque tonight."


The door clicked shut behind Brian.  Ben still sat on the sofa shaking his head.


 


*****


 


“Pierre, my friend, so good to see you!” Shane said as he stood to greet his friend and friendly rival in the advertising business.  The boys stood to meet their potential new partner.


“So good to see you as well,” Pierre repeated the sentiments as the friends hugged and kissed European fashion.


“Pierre, I would like you to meet Gus Kinney and Raymond Mann of Kinnetik,” Shane stated.  Pierre gave each young man a firm handshake.


“You are your father’s son,” Pierre said in a thick accent.  “He must be very proud.”


“I like to think so,” Gus said with a coy smile.


“Raymond Mann; any relation to Kenneth Mann?  I admire his work.” 


Ray leaned forward to shake Pierre’s hand.  “He’s my father,” he replied with pride.


“And do you follow in his footsteps as well?”


“I can’t draw a straight line to save my life,” Ray said with a chuckle. 


“He’s the legal part of this pair,” Shane supplied.  “Our Gus does double duty; a good business head on his shoulders and not too shabby with the pen and ink.” 


With that, Gus subtly gestured that they should all sit.  He gave a small wave ala Brian Kinney and a waiter was tableside in moments.  After a few more minutes of pleasantries they got down to business.


“First, I’d like to thank you for helping us with the Max Jacobs situation,” Gus sincerely offered.  “Although you and Shane are friends, you didn’t know us, Kinnetik.  You showed a lot of faith and we appreciate it.  And as it turns out, it helped to stall Jacobs’ plan long enough for some of his key people to get out.”


“I hear that a few relocated to North America.  Did Kinnetik take them in?” Pierre inquired with interest.


“No, we didn’t,” Ray replied.  “We considered it but decided companywide that the gesture would put Kinnetik back on the radar, so to speak.  And that would’ve defeated the purpose.  We wanted no associations with Max Jacobs.”


“However,” Gus took up the conversation, “we did make sure that each potential applicant was well vetted before referring them to our competitors.  We also learned that a few wanted out of the business altogether to pursue other interests.”


“Our HR department assisted as much as we could without being too influential or obvious,” Ray said.


Pierre listened and watched with amusement as the boys described the process of assisting the former Max Jacobs employees get out from under Max’s thumb and into what turned out to be a better life. 


“This must be what it’s like at Wimbledon,” Pierre said as he laughed, nodding toward the boys.


“Aye.  Me staff are in a perpetual state of dizziness,” Shane teased, his brogue thickening.


The boys feigned insult then laughed as the waiter came with the first course.


“Pierre, we were under the impression that you were seriously considering retirement.  What changed your mind?” Gus asked.


“I see nothing gets by you.  I was bored, I lost my passion for the business.  The Jacobs offer came at the right time.  Fortunately your warning came before my people were damaged by him.  I couldn’t live with that,” Pierre said with honesty.  “I thank you, my friend.”  Pierre looked at Shane.  “And you boys, for many reasons.  My interest was rekindled but I’d still welcome the change, and the chance to step back a little to spend more time with my family.”


Gus nodded with understanding.  He had watched his father do the same.


“My main concern is protecting my people.  They are good and they’re loyal.  Shane tells me you didn’t change personnel when he merged with Kinnetik; that is most important to me.”


“Why would we want to change a winning combination?” Ray asked.  “That would defeat the purpose of the merger.  You know the clientele and the culture, Kinnetik will learn from you.”


“And what do we gain?” Pierre asked as he gave Shane a poignant look.


“Us,” Gus confidently replied, looking and sounding much like his father.  “You get to use the Kinnetik name, our capital and the opportunity to take on the more unconventional client.  Plus the ability to temporarily exchange personnel if you so choose.”


“Meaning?”


“How often does one of your people get the opportunity for an all expense paid trip to New York or L.A. or to Pittsburgh?  Not that anything exciting ever happens in Pittsburgh,” Gus teased.


“Aye, I’ve survived several of their invasions.  Those colonialists and their strange way of talkin’.  Plus they wouldn’t know a decent cup of tea if it smacked them in the face!” Shane griped making the other three men laugh.


“Have you lost many employees to the Americans?” Pierre asked with a smirk.


“We came close but fortunately the lady’s husband and children demanded she return home.  And come home she did filled with so many ideas, talkin’ like one of them and drinkin’ that there fancy coffee.  You know the one, you see their shops on every corner.”  Gus, Ray, and Pierre were laughing so hard you couldn’t tell this was a business meeting.  “She barely dropped her suitcase before she was back at her desk, working on a new ad for some weird unisex perfume…”


“Genderless!” Pierre gasped.  “That was yours!  It was brilliant.  The sales in Paris alone have been in the millions.  No one can keep perfume long enough in the shops.  It’s one of the best selling products in Europe, but you took such a chance.  That company was new, no one had ever heard their name before.”


“And now everyone knows it,” Gus stated with cool confidence.  “And it paid off in a very big way.  Ray negotiated that contract,” Gus stately proudly. 


“May I ask the terms of the contract?” Pierre ventured. 


Before Ray could answer Gus jumped in.  “You could ask but you’ll know the answer when you’re part of the Kinnetik family,” Gus said as he picked up his glass of wine and slowly took a sip.


“I can tell you that the lady in question earned enough of a bonus to move kit and caboodle outside of the city and into a proper home.  Her family are in raptures.  Now she complains every day of the commute,” Shane groused.


“You do many of these exchanges?” Pierre asked hoping this question wasn’t taboo.


“Several a year,” Ray took up the mantle.  “They’re carefully planned.  While it’s a very good learning opportunity we don’t want to disrupt branch business.”


“Sensible.  You’ve given me much to think about,” Pierre said.  “Do I have time to discuss this with my staff?”


“Take as much time as you need.  We’re in no rush,” Gus assured Pierre. 


Pierre nodded.  “Would you care to visit us?  Meet my family, business and personal?  Shane, you could bring your partner; let him see how civilized people live,” Pierre teased.


“I take exception to that,” Shane retorted with a roll of his eyes.


“I’m sure you do,” Pierre winked.  “Gentlemen, this has been very pleasant as well as informative.  You give me much to consider,” Pierre stated as he stood to go. 


Gus nodded to Ray who handed Pierre a very formal looking dossier.  “Share this with those you trust.  We’ll retrieve it when we visit you,” Gus said as he shook Pierre’s hand.  Ray was next then Shane who gave his friend a warm hug.


“We’ll call your office to arrange the visit for some time next week,” Shane said.


“You’ve become bolder in your old age; it works for you,” Pierre teased.  “I look forward to your visit,” he went on to say.  They all shook hands then watched Pierre exit the restaurant.


“So what do you think?” Ray asked as they sat back down and ordered another round of coffee and tea.


“I think he’s more than interested but he needs time to let the idea ferment a bit,” Shane commented.  “He’s been in this game longer than I have.  It’s not easy to give up control.”


“Agreed, but he won’t be giving up anything.  You’ll be able to assure him of that,” Gus said with a glance at Shane.


“True.  Even when your father, bold as brass, marched into me shop spouting his wild ideas he never presumed to know more than me even though I’m sure he does.”  Gus and Ray laughed.


“He fakes it well,” Gus admitted.


“No one fakes it that well.  Your Da has more knowledge tucked away in his little finger than most of us do in our entire body.  And you’ll be just like him; I guarantee it.  And you, me boy, know a lot more about lawyering than most twice your age.  Between the pair of ya, you’ll be taking this business by storm.  The rest of us will have to hang on tight for the ride!”


As Shane spoke his accent became thicker and thicker.


“Methinks you’ve been kissing that there Blarney Stone,” Gus ventured in his own crude imitation of Shane’s accent. 


Shane did a double take.  “Now who here has been kissin’ the Blarney Stone?” Shane asked narrowing his eyes at Gus.  Gus just gave him those sweet innocent Kinney puppy dog eyes.  “You’re not foolin’ anyone!” Shane growled, shaking a finger at Gus.  Ray just laughed at the antics of the two men.


“I do have one concern,” Gus said in all seriousness.


“What’s that?” Ray asked.


“Communication,” Gus replied.


“What about it?”


“We speak English, or at least some form of it,” Gus said, teasing Shane at the same time.  Shane glared at him.  Ignoring it, Gus went on.  “I took some French in high school; it might be good enough to get through a menu but that’s about it.  Pierre speaks English well enough but what about the rest of his people?”


“Now don’t get your panties all in a bunch.  Pierre might come off as some big Frenchie but he spent many years living in London.  He can lay on the posh accent when he chooses,” Shane stated.  “I’m sure his people speak a passable form of English.”  Shane glared at the boys daring them to comment.  The boys plastered innocent smiles on their faces.  Shane snorted.


“Molly,” Ray said breaking the momentary silent tug of war.


“Molly?” Gus and Shane asked in unison.


“Molly,” Ray repeated.


“Molly!” Gus said with a smile when he got it.


“Fer the love of all that’s holy!  Who is Molly?” Shane asked working himself up into a tizzy.


“Justin’s sister,” Ray said.


“Oh well that explains it,” Shane said calmly followed by, “What in blazes does this Molly have to do with the price of tea in China?”  Shane was turning red.  Ray and Gus broke out in giggles.  “I see I’m going to have to knock heads.”


When the boys got their act together they explained.


“Molly is a linguist.  Cynthia hired her years ago when Kinnetik started taking on some European campaigns.”


“Makes sense,” Shane said.  “Do you think this Molly will like Paris?” Shane asked with a broad smile.


“Let’s find out,” Gus said as he waved his hand in the air.  Within minutes he had their check and they were getting ready to leave.


“How do you do that?” Ray asked.


“It’s a gift, plus giving the maître d' a hefty tip doesn’t hurt,” Gus admitted.


“Hmm, is this where you had dinner?” Shane asked as they left the restaurant.


“Yes, why?” Ray asked.


“I received an interesting call this morning.  Just an inquiry from a certain restaurant owner.  He happened upon a Kinnetik Isles business card.”  Shane got those innocent smiles again.  “Uh huh.”


Ray hailed a cab.


“And I suppose you have a preliminary campaign floating around in your head?” Shane asked as he watched Gus “play” on his phone.  Before Shane could get all worked up about being ignored, his phone pinged indicating he received an email.  


“I believe you should check your email,” Gus casually mentioned as a cab pulled up.


Shane took out his phone as they all climbed into the taxi.  While Ray gave the driver instructions, Shane opened up his email.  He briefly looked over the contents then looked up at Gus.


“Uh huh,” was all that Shane murmured.


Puppy dog eyes.


Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


 


Chapter 11


 


 


 


 


JR and Jacqueline rang the bell at Brian and Justin's side of the conjoined cottages.  Jacqueline frowned as they waited.


"What's wrong?" JR asked.  "Are you feeling okay?"


"I'm fine."


"Then why are you frowning?"


"I'm just not sure I'm going to like being in a crowd."


JR laughed.  "Tonight will only be ten or twelve people.  I'll have to bring you to one of the holiday get-togethers."


"Why, what's the difference?"


"There are hundreds, possibly thousands of people at those parties."


"You're kidding."


"Just barely."


Jacqueline looked at her with disbelief.  "Then don't bother bringing me to one of those."


"I wonder why no one's answering."


"Maybe they're all out back.  Let's go around."


As the girls walked around the side of the cottage, they saw Bree chasing after Little Beau.  When Bree spied them she halted abruptly and ran to JR.


"JR!" Bree squealed.  "I've been waiting for you.  Will you sit with me for dinner?"


"Of course, sweetie."


"What about me?" Jacqueline asked, slightly miffed at being ignored.


"Sorry," Bree said, "you can sit with us too."


"Thanks," Jacqueline replied snarkily.


Little Beau woofed at them, wanting Bree to come play some more.


"Later," Bree said decisively to Little Beau as she linked her arm through JR's.  Little Beau laid down on the grass and whined miserably.


"Is he always so sensitive?" JR asked.


Bree giggled.  "He thinks he's going to get his way by whimpering."


JR laughed then her face turned serious.  "Is Ben here?"


"Not yet, but Dada told him he had to come."


"That's subtle," JR snorted.


"You know my Dada, Mr. Subtle."


The girls were laughing raucously as they came into the backyard.  Jacqueline followed behind, not feeling the love.


"You look bummed," Peter said when he handed Jacqueline a glass of lemonade.


"What was your first clue?" Jacqueline asked taking a long drink from her glass.


"Perhaps that look all over your face."


"I just got told how unimportant I am," Jacqueline snarked.  "Feels great."


"Ouch," Peter responded.


"Do you still feel like an outsider around here?"


"Pretty much."


"How long have you been here?"


"Months."


"Shit!"


"Hey, don't get me wrong.  I may still be an outsider, but I've decided to own it.  No matter how long I live on the lane, the people here will always have known each other longer than I will.  I'm getting used to them and them to me.  We get along fine."


Jacqueline frowned.  "What are you trying to tell me ... exactly?"


Peter chuckled.  "To relax and go with the flow.  You can't change the way things are.  You can only be you."


"How philosophical of you!"


"That's me, Mr. Philosophical."  Peter looked her in the eye.  "It's taken me a long time to come to that realization.  I just thought I'd share."  He started to walk away.


"Hey," Jacqueline said touching his arm, "I do appreciate your advice and I'm sure you're right.  It's ... It's good to have a friend on the lane."


"I feel the same way, and I'm sorry you're leaving tomorrow."


"I'll give you my cell number.  If you ever need to talk, no, want to talk, just call."


"Thanks, and the same for me," Peter said sincerely.


They sipped their drinks silently watching as the yard filled up with the residents of the lane.


Finally as Brian was taking the steaks off the barbeque, Ben walked into the yard.  He had cleaned up considerably after his chat with Brian, but he was definitely not a happy camper.


"Ben," JR said leaving Bree's side and heading toward him.


"Hi, sweetie," Ben replied giving her a hug.


"How are you doing?"


"Coming to terms with the fact that your father and I may never get back together."


"Noooo," JR groaned.  "Don't give up."


"I'm trying not to.  I'm here and I'm hungry, so let's eat."


Knowing glances and nods passed from person to person of those assembled.  They were all going to stand behind Ben and help in any way they could.  Many patted him on the back as they all sat down at the big table in the sun porch.  Food was passed around and people ate with quiet conversations filling the room.


"That dumbass son of mine better get his head screwed on straight," Debbie said loudly after a few minutes.


"Deb," Ben protested.


"You know I'm right, and so does he if he'd get his head out of his ass."


"What can I do?" Ben asked pushing his plate away.  He had lost his appetite.


"Are you two talking at all?" Alex asked trying to diffuse some of the raw feelings.


"We've talked but it doesn't get us anywhere."


"It may not seem like it's going anywhere, but keep talking," Alex advised.


"Is that your professional advice?" Ben asked.


"Professional, and as a friend."


"Or you could just give him a good spanking," Glen suggested.  When a stunned silence ensued, Glen asked, "What?" in his best innocent voice.  "He might like it."


Everyone burst out laughing breaking the tension.


"Hey, this is my father you're talking about!" JR said indignantly.  As much as she thought her father was in the wrong, she still loved him and didn't appreciate people making fun of him.


"This is supposed to be a farewell party for JR and Jacqueline," Justin reminded them.  "Maybe we should choose a different topic of conversation."


Ben mouthed a 'thank you' to Justin, as people started talking about other things.


"We'll miss you around here, girls," John was saying.


"Thanks, John.  The lane is such a peaceful spot.  I always like it here," JR said sincerely.


"How about you, Jacqueline?  Do you like the lane ... in spite of your accident?" Bobby asked.


"The place kind of grows on you," Jacqueline admitted. She heard a little chuckle in the background.  "What's so funny, Peter?" she asked.


"I was thinking about whether the growing was as in you like the place or as in a fungus you can't get rid of," Peter admitted.


"Peter!" Debbie reacted.


"It's okay," Jacqueline said.  "That's just Peter's twisted mind working, and I like his perspective on things."


Peter grinned and Jacqueline smiled back at him.  Bree looked from her sister to Jacqueline and frowned.


"Don't ask, sis," JR whispered.  "I can't explain it either."


Somehow the meal got finished with everyone eating their fill and seemingly having a good time.  As things wound down, JR and Jacqueline received many hugs and fond goodbyes since they were leaving in the morning.  Ben got his fair share of hugs too before taking his leave.


Ben walked down the lane thinking about what he was planning to do.  He knew Alex was probably right and he needed to keep lines of communication open with Michael.  He decided that he would call his husband again and this time he was not going to allow himself to get upset.


Ben got himself a glass of water and drank it down before picking up his phone.  He could almost go for a shot of bourbon, but he decided against it.  He wanted to be clear headed when he talked to Michael.


He held the phone in his hand for a minute before hitting his husband's number.


"Hello?" he heard Michael say.


"It's Ben."


"Yeah, I know."


"That's not a very warm welcome."


"You know what can make it warmer," Michael declared.


"I don't want to fight with you, Michael."


"What do you want?  I don't hear you saying you're coming home."


"That's because I'm not coming to Pittsburgh."


"Then why are we talking at all?" Michael demanded.


"I'd ... I'd like to find a compromise."


"A compromise?  What kind of compromise could there be?"


"That's what we need to discuss."


"Why don't you come here and we can talk?" Michael suggested, holding his breath as he awaited the answer.


"I thought maybe you could come here for the weekend."


"I can't leave the store.  You know JR's not here."


"She's coming back tomorrow."


"She is?"


"Yes, so there's no reason you can't come here."  There was silence on the line.  "I'm not asking you to stay," Ben said.  "Just come, even if you want to drive back at the end of the day.  Please come."  He hoped he didn't sound too needy.


There was a very long pause and Ben thought maybe he should hang up, and give up.


"Okay, I'll come, but just for the day," Michael finally said.


"Thank you, Michael.  I really want to work something out," Ben averred.


"Me too."  Then the line went dead.


Each man stared at their phone wondering if they had made the first step toward getting back together.


 


*****


 


Brian sauntered into his flagship branch of Kinnetik in Pittsburgh.  He was dressed in casual clothing, still sexy and ready for action.  He smirked at a few key employees and glared at others as he strode passed Molly’s desk before going to Cynthia’s office.


“Good golly Miss Molly,” he crowed.


“Good what?  I thought you stopped doing E,” Molly spit back as she stood up. “Does Justin know you’re here?”   Surrounding employees began to slowly inch away in fear of the unknown.  Brian wasn’t fazed by Molly’s reaction as he kept on walking throwing a “Come with me!” over his shoulder.  Molly quickly moved around her desk then sprinted to catch up to him.


“Good morning, Ms. Cynthia,” Brian announced loudly as he walked into Cynthia’s office.  She and Ted had their heads together going over some figures.  “Schmidt,” Brian added after the fact with a sneer.


“You didn’t tell me you were coming in today,” Cynthia remarked trying not to look startled.  Ted kept mum.


“You should always expect the unexpected when it comes to me; I thought you’d know that by now,” Brian snarked as he flung himself onto the small sofa in Cynthia’s office.  He bounced a bit on it then stood up.  “Theodore, take notes,” Brian commanded.


“Of course, Brian,” Ted replied as he promptly took up a pad and pen.


“First, order a new sofa for this office.  That thing is past its sell by date.”  Brian paused to arch a brow; Ted quickly jotted down the note.


“Next,” Brian began as he turned his gaze onto Molly.  “How would you like an all expense paid trip to Paris?  I’ll sweeten the pot with a ticket for your hubby and son, if you’re so inclined.”


“Brian, what’s this all about?” Cynthia sharply asked. 


Brian pulled out a chair and sat.  Ignoring her glare, Brian kept talking.  “I had an interesting conversation with Gus.  The meeting with Pierre went well; they secured an invitation to Pierre’s agency for some time next week.  Since Miss Molly is our resident linguist, I’d like her to go across the pond, as they say, to lingual,” Brian quipped looking awfully proud of himself.  He glanced at Ted who quickly made another note.


“Is it too early to call over there?”


“What do I wear?”


“I’ll book the tickets.”


 Brian, sporting an ear to ear grin, picked himself up and sauntered out of the office. 


“I love my job,” he said as the wheels of business were spinning in Cynthia’s office.  As he walked into the main room, a blond tornado ran straight into him.


“Uncle Bi!” Taylor shouted as he looked up at his uncle with a bright sunny smile.


“Hello, little man,” Brian replied with his own lovely smile as he scooped up little Taylor.  Curious personnel inched their way closer.  Not too many of them got to witness the ‘softer’ side of their boss.


“I bet your Uncle Dust looked just like you when he was your age.”  A mop of blond hair, deep blue eyes, and a cute nose studied Brian’s face.  Brian ruffled the baby fine hair.


“You go back to school in a couple of weeks, don’t you, buddy?” 


“School,” Taylor repeated.


 “Hmm, I think you need some new clothes.”


“New clothes,” Taylor mimicked.


Brian, with Taylor still in his arms, stopped back into Cynthia’s office before leaving.  The wheels were still turning as plans were being made.  Cynthia was on the phone with Isles.


“Miss Molly, I’m taking your son shopping!”


“Okay!” Molly replied, popping her head up then immersing herself back in her travel plans.


 


*****


 


“Well look who we have here!” Debbie called out as Brian walked into the diner with Taylor.


“Gamma Deb!” Taylor shouted as he squirmed out of Brian’s arms.  He ran across the diner to Debbie.  She picked up the boy, gave him a sticky kiss on the cheek then sat him on her lap.  


“What’s he doing here?” Debbie asked as Taylor took a good look at all the food on the table.  He found a French fry and helped himself. 


Brian and Deb had decided to take Peter, Patrick, and Bree into the Pitts for a back to school shopping spree.  Brian took that opportunity to shake up the office with a little Kinnetik Isles business.


“Molly has a business trip to plan for next week so I figured she wouldn’t have time to take little Taylor shopping for school supplies.   I thought I’d be a helpful brother-in-law and bring him along,” Brian explained with a smug smile.


“I never did trust that smile,” Debbie growled.  “But I won’t say no to spending time with our littlest Sunshine.  Why don’t we call Taylor’s other grandmothers and make an afternoon of it.  I bet Jennifer, Susan, and Sharon would love to go shopping.”  Now it was Debbie’s turn to look smug.


Brian pinched his nose at the thought of spending the afternoon with so many women.  He was about to be resigned to his fate until a brilliant thought popped into his head.  He leaned over to whisper into Deb’s ear.


“You’re still the master!” Deb stated as she pulled out her cell to make a few calls.  They all enjoyed their lunch until joined by the grandmothers.  Brian passed out kisses to all the ladies, whispered instructions to Bree and Patrick then handed a bunch of prefilled credit cards to Debbie to use for the kids.


“Thank you, Kiddo, but I’ll take care of Peter,” Debbie said sweetly.  Brian scowled, narrowing his eyes at the woman.  “Okay, don’t get your jock strap all in a twist,” she said as she pecked him on the cheek then softly cuffed the side of Brian’s head.


Peter stared in awe at Brian’s generosity and at the way he showed his love for his family.  Not just with monetary gifts but the way he respected everyone from the children to eldest members.  Peter had never known such love in his short life; he felt very fortunate to be included and he smiled. He then looked up as he felt he was being watched only to see Bree and Patrick smiling back.  Peter’s smile became wider as he realized he was indeed a part Brian’s crazy widdle family.


“I love you, Sweetheart,” Deb called out as Brian slid out of their booth.


“Love you too, Maw,” Brian replied as he handed Lacy a fistful of money then he left the diner.     


 


*****


 


“Yo shop keep!” Brian called out as he slapped his hand against a counter, grabbing the latest copy of Rage then falling into the overstuffed chair in the corner.  Michael came racing out of the back room wearing a big smile.  Brian stood to give Michael a warm hug and a chaste kiss.  Michael searched Brian’s eyes and saw only love in the depths of those hazel eyes.


“How’s it going, Mikey?” Brian asked as he plopped back into the chair.


“Okay,” Michael replied.  He stepped back behind the counter then took out a cloth and started to wipe down one of the glass display cases.


“You don’t sound okay,” Brian casually remarked, his eyes never leaving the comic.


“How’d you feel if Justin walked out on you,” Michael grumbled.


“What was that, Mikey?  I didn’t quite hear you.”


“Nothing.”  Michael kept cleaning his counters.


“You keep that up and you’ll wear out the counter.”


“A lot you know, it’s glass, it doesn’t wear out like that.”


“Michael…”


“Don’t.”


“Don’t what?”


“Don’t tell me I have to make the first move.  Don’t tell me it’s all my fault.  Don’t tell me to be reasonable.  Just don’t!” Michael shouted as he dropped the cloth and stormed into the back room. 


Brian got up, went to the door of the shop to flip the “Be Back in 10” sign around.  He then locked the door so they wouldn’t be disturbed.  Brian took a deep breath and quietly walked into the back room where he found his longtime friend standing in the middle of a bunch of empty boxes.


“Aw, Mikey,” Brian murmured as he got into Michael’s personal space with his arms held out.  Michael stepped into Brian’s embrace and began to cry.  Brian held his friend close as Michael cried himself out.


“They all think I’m wrong.  No one is on my side.  Do you think I’m wrong?”


“It doesn’t matter what I think.  It doesn’t matter what anyone thinks.  Are you still in love with Ben?  Do you miss him?”  Without hesitation Brian felt Michael nod against his chest.  “Then that’s all that matters.  Now what are you going to do about it?”


“Go to the lane?”


“Are you asking me or telling me?” Brian asked as he gently pushed Michael back to look into his eyes.


“I’m going to the lane.”


“Good.  And what are you going to do when you get there?”


“Bring Ben home.” 


Brian arched a brow.


“Uh, I’m going to listen to what Ben has to say?”  The brow smoothed out and a small smile began to curl up on Brian’s lips.


“What else?”


“Make love?”  Brian shook his head.  Michael was confused until Brian’s expression changed to a lustful leer.  “Um, have hot monkey sex on all available flat surfaces?”


“Now yer talkin’, Mikey!” Brian proudly crowed as he gave Michael a bone-crushing hug worthy of Debbie.


“But what if Ben doesn’t want me?”


“Uh uh uh, none of that.  Ben loves you and is miserable without you.  But Michael, just as you love your comics and are our resident superhero expert, Ben is a writer.  He has this in him like Justin has his art.  I know Justin loves me more than anything else in this world but if he can’t paint or draw it’s like a part of him dies.  In a way, Ben’s like that, maybe not as passionate about writing as Justin is about his art but it’s there.  It would be cruel not to give Ben this time.  He’s earned it.”


Brian gave Michael a few moments to let that all sink in.  Then he gently raised up Michael’s chin with a finger.  “The Michael I know, who was my only friend for a very long time when we were kids, isn’t cruel.”


“Okay,” Michael softly said as he nodded his head.


“Okay?”


“Yeah.”


“There’s my Mikey!”  Brian gave Michael a big smile.  “Now why don’t you go home to pack?”


“Okay, no wait!  What about the store?”


“Daddy?  Dad?” JR shouted as she unlocked the door to let herself in and came into the shop.  “Dad, are you all right?  Why is the sign on the door?” JR continued to shout as she stomped her way toward the store room.


“I swear she’s just like your mother,” Brian grumbled.


“Yeah, she is,” Michael proudly agreed.  “Back here, Honeybun!”


“Is everything okay?”


“Everything is just perfect,” Michael exclaimed with a big smile as he gave JR a hug.


JR looked over her father’s shoulder at Brian.  Brian gave her a wink.


“Well as much as I’d love to stay to witness this Novotny lovefest, I have four children with a bunch of women all shopping with my money.  I better go and make sure I’m not destitute.  Toodles!” 


JR and Michael burst out laughing.  Brian bussed each Novotny then left the store very pleased to hear them laughing.

 

“I love my job,” Brian murmured as went to track down his family.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Not So Zen Ben


 


Chapter 12


Epilogue


 


 


 


Brian was sitting all alone in the large booth at the back of the diner nursing a cup of coffee and reviewing Kinnetik contracts.  It looked like a terrible waste of valuable table space until Debbie arrived with mob in tow and with what seemed like hundreds of shopping bags.


“Holy maxed out credit card, Batman!” he exclaimed as the kids piled into the booth.  “Did you leave me any money?”  The kids shook their heads, no.


“Oh man up, Brian,” Molly snarked as she stepped from behind the crowd.  Sometime after work Molly had met up with everyone to take charge of her son and enjoy the shopping fun.


“You can be fired,” Brian griped.  Debbie glared as she shook a finger at him.


“Don’t worry, Deb, he can’t fire me; he’s sending me to Paris next week,” Molly said with a smug smile as she squeezed in the booth with Taylor.


“Oooo, Paris!” Debbie crowed which started lots of chatter amongst the grandmothers with suggestions for what sights to see. 


Brian pinched his nose and ordered more coffee.


“Paris!  Who’s going to Paris?!” Emmett squealed as he entered the diner carrying a large crate of tasty desserts.  Patrick jumped up to give him a hand.


“Oh thank you, Honey, that’s so sweet of you,” Emm said with an appreciative smile.  After he finished his delivery Emmett squished himself next to Brian.


“Must you?” Brian growled as Emmett shoved over Brian’s ass to make himself more comfortable.  The ladies smirked at how easily Emmett could get away with manipulating the great Brian Kinney.


“Oh poo!”  Emmett dismissed Brian with a wave of his hand.  “So what’s this about Paris and what have y’all been up to on this fine day?”  Everyone raised a shopping bag or two making Emmett clap wildly and laugh while Brian groaned.


“They’re sending me to the poor house,” Brian mumbled as he hid his face behind his hand.


“Oh stop complaining, you know you have more money than dirt and who better to spend it on than our beautiful children,” Emmett crowed.


“Our?  Our children?  I didn’t see you give birth to any of them,” Brian groused.  Said children giggled.


“Hush!  Now can you tell us why our Miss Molly will be going to Paris or is it a state secret?” Emmett asked.


“If I tell you then I’d have to kill you,” Brian snarked as he took another sip of coffee.


“I brought popovers,” Emmett said with a sideways glance.


“Do you think I can be bribed with your popovers?” Brian asked with indignation.


“Of course you can,” Emmett stated with confidence.


“You can be…” Brian began.


“No I can’t, because I don’t work for you, so there,” Emmett said then he stuck out his tongue.  Brian rolled his eyes.


“Seriously, Brian, can you tell us anything?  I’d like to know why you’re sending my daughter to France,” Jennifer asked with a mother’s concern.


“It’s a business trip,” Brian assured Jennifer.  “Gus and Ray will be going and may require an interpreter while they’re negotiating.”  Brian addressed Molly.  “And I’m serious about sending you with Owen and Taylor.  I don’t think the boys will need you every minute so you may have a little free time.”  Molly smiled while contemplating the offer. 


“Dada?” Bree began with bright eyes and a big smile.  Brian closed his eyes and pinched his nose in anticipation of what his ‘too smart for her own good’ daughter was about to ask.


“What?” Emmett asked.  Brian mumbled something.  “What was that?  I didn’t hear you.”


“Bree wants to go to Paris,” Brian stated with a sneer.


“Well of course she does, what young lady wouldn’t,” Emmett gushed.  “However, school will be starting up in a couple of weeks and what’ll happen if the secret negotiations take longer than anticipated?  It’s a business trip; I doubt if there will be much time for sightseeing,” Emmett stated wisely.  Brian felt a reassuring pat to his thigh; he immediately relaxed and was forever grateful that Emmett was a very perceptive man. 


“Emm’s right.  And as much as I’d love to go to Paris with my family, school is beginning soon; this isn’t the right time.  I’m owed some vacation time, maybe Owen and I can take a second honeymoon,” Molly said with a sunny smile.  “Miss Bree, when one goes to Paris, one should take the time to explore and truly absorb the Parisian atmosphere.  Not be forced into some time constraints due to a silly thing like a business meeting.”


“Kinnetik business isn’t silly,” Brian growled which apparently everyone ignored.


“But Auntie Emm, I really really want to go to Paris!” Bree said with a true drama princess sigh.


“Of course you do, Princess.  And I bet your daddies will have a spectacular trip planned for you to be taken at the appropriate time,” Emmett gushed.   Brian nodded.  “I almost envy you.”


“Maybe my Dada will take you and Uncle Drew with us,” Bree said with a grin.


“Ooooo!” Emmett squeed. 


Everyone laughed when Brian groaned again and hung his head.  After a while his head popped up.  “Well, I hate to break up this happy family moment while you all find more ways of sending me to the poor house, but it’s time to go home.  I need a little alone time with my Sunshine to console me and my empty wallet,” Brian announced with a waggle of his eyebrows as he began to push Emmett out of the booth.  Brian was rewarded with moans, several “eiws,” and one “Oh Dada!”  Emmett tried unsuccessfully to bat away Brian’s hands before finally acquiescing. 


“Beast,” Emmett grumbled at Brian as the family prepared to go their separate ways.


Hugs and kisses were passed around before the Kinney clan left the diner piling into John’s Navigator then driving out of the Pitts heading for the lane.  As they reached the outskirts of the city, Debbie posed a question.


“Were you successful?” she gently asked.


“I think so.  I left him with JR; they were laughing and hugging,” came Brian’s answer.  He knew exactly what Debbie was asking.


“That’s a good sign.”


“Yes, it is.  But Deb, they have to work this out for themselves,” Brian cautioned.  “We’ve interfered enough.”


“I know, sweetheart, but it’s so hard when I know that they’re both hurting.”


Brian could only nod.


The ride back to the lane was uneventful and quiet other than the happy chatter of three young teens.


 


*****


 


It was almost dusk when Michael got to the exit that would lead him to the lane.  When he got to the gate he carefully entered his code then watched it slowly swing open.  Nervous about his reception, Michael edged his car forward and onto the lane.  He had intended to drive to the lane as soon as he knew JR was back in the city but Michael being Michael, hesitated.  Now he had no idea if Ben still wanted him or would take him back.  Cognizant of all possible traffic on the lane, including wheelchairs, Michael slowly drove to the cabin then pulled into the driveway.


“Hello?” Michael called out when he opened the door to the cabin and entered.  The main room was dim except for the light from a small lamp in the living room.


“Ben?” he called out again slightly louder.  When he received no answer, Michael walked through each room in search of his spouse.  Michael was just about to start worrying when he walked through the house and out the back door to the patio.  There he found his Adonis of a husband stretched out on a chaise, dozing.  Ben was looking delicious wearing only cutoff jeans but was at risk of quickly becoming mosquito food.


“Ben,” Michael said gently so not to startle the peaceful looking man.


“Hi,” Ben replied with a beautiful smile as he turned toward Michael’s voice.


“Hi,” Michael repeated as he returned the smile with his own goofy lovesick grin.


They stared at each other a few minutes until Michael swatted away a mosquito.


“I think we should go inside,” Ben suggested.


“I think you’re right,” Michael agreed.


Ben scrambled up off the chaise then reached out for Michael’s hand.  Without hesitation Michael took Ben’s hand and the two sprinted back into the safety of their bug-free home.


“Um, I’m a little sweaty, I can really use a shower,” Ben said awkwardly as they stood in the kitchen.


“I’m a little sweaty too,” Michael said shyly, looking up at Ben’s face with a coy smile.


“Join me?” Ben whispered, hoping his invitation wouldn’t be rejected.  His answer was Michael’s ear to ear smile.


The lovers proceeded quickly to their room, shedding clothes as they walked.  They entered their en suite bathroom to their shower stall.  Michael shut the stall door as Ben turned on the water.  Within a few minutes the bathroom became very hot and steamy!


 


*****


 


“Is that Michael’s car?” Glen asked Alex as they drove past the log cabin.  The car was just visible through the foliage.  The boys had gone out to dinner and were looking forward to a quiet evening in front of the fireplace.  The late August days were still hot but the evenings were becoming just cool enough to enjoy a small fire.


“I hope so because I don’t think Ben can take much more of this,” Alex blurted out.


“The family either,” Glen agreed.


The sun was just going down as they approached the circular driveway of their meadow cottage and were soon ensconced in their home. 


“I’ll pour the wine if you light the fire,” Glen suggested.


“Wine, huh, not beer?  Do you have seduction on your mind?” Alex asked with a smile.


“Would you say no?” Glen asked as he wheeled over, a small tray on his lap with two goblets containing a crisp summer wine.


“I’d never say no to you,” Alex replied, his love shining in his eyes and a smile on his lips.  Glen returned the smile.


While Glen transferred himself out of his chair and onto the sofa Alex made sure the fire caught then placed the protective screen back in front of the fireplace.  They snuggled close, watching the fire and sipping wine.


“I love you,” Glen murmured.


“Love you too,” Alex said as he pulled Glen in closer.  They savored their wine and their peaceful moment.


“When do we go back?” Glen asked.


“Whenever you’d like.”


“I’d like to stay here forever.”


“Then we stay,” Alex said.


“You’d do that for me, wouldn’t you?” Glen asked as he turned to see Alex’s face.


“I’d do anything for you.”


“I know you would, and I love you for it.  But I think the real world beckons us.”


“Unfortunately you’re right.  My assistant keeps sending me reminders to check my calendar.”


“And this is different from any other year, how?” Glen snarked.


“What about you?  I’m sure you’re booked from September to the holidays.”


“Yada, yada,” Glen grumbled.  “Shit, it’s too early to use the “h” word.” 


Alex laughed.  “God, after all these years together you still manage to make me laugh!”


“And you are my rock.  You keep me sane when the pain gets to me,” Glen admitted with a sigh.  “I’d say we’re perfect for each other,” he said trying to keep bitterness out of his voice.  It wasn’t often Glen allowed the “what ifs” to get to him but every once in a while they’d sneak up on him.  Alex knew just how to combat them.


“We are perfect together,” Alex stated perhaps stronger than necessary.  “You’re stuck with me for life, you know,” he said after a few seconds. 


Alex moved their glasses out of harm’s way then he gently lowered them on the sofa, arranging Glen in just the right position.


“What are you doing?” Glen asked with mock surprise.


“What does it look like I’m doing?”


“It looks like you’re the one trying to seduce me.


“Got it in one.”


“I love you, Alex Wilder, M.D,” Glen said as he surrendered to his husband.


“And I love you, Glen Wilder, Ph.D.  More than I can ever express,” Alex said just before he captured his husband’s lips and made love to him.


 


*****


 


Debbie and Carl had been out strolling up and down the lane.  The couple enjoyed the exercise.  They talked about their day and about how pleased they both were regarding the progress Peter was making.  The young man appeared to have physically grown, a fact that Debbie attributed to all the good food she was feeding him.  And he had gained more confidence in himself.  Peter appeared to be more at peace.


“Michael’s back,” Carl remarked as he and Debbie stood on the lane staring at the cabin.


“Do you think we should call on them?” Debbie asked.  She looked into Carl’s eyes then they both shook their heads with a resounding “Naaaa!”


Laughing, they returned to their own quaint thatched cottage.


 


*****


 


It was late in the evening when Patrick’s dads returned home from Harrisburg.  They each had business to attend to but were confident that Patrick was smart enough to find himself dinner.


“Did they feed you?” Bobby joked as he walked through the door on his way toward his bedroom to release himself from his suit.  Patrick followed.


“Nope, I decided to feed myself,” Patrick proudly replied.


“I’m not sure how to take that,” John stated as he sat on the edge of the bed to remove his work boots.


“I know what you mean, I’m suddenly feeling very old,” Bobby said with a touch of nostalgia.  Their son was growing up, becoming the independent young man his fathers taught him to be.


“Drama queens,” Patrick murmured.  He gazed upwards as he grumbled, “Please save me from drama queens.”  Patrick laughed at the expressions on his fathers’ faces.


“I’ll show you a drama queen!” Bobby shouted as he tackled his son to the bed then began to tickle him into submission.


John laughed as he watched his two redheads wrestle, each vying for supremacy.  When they both came up for air, John asked Patrick about his day in the big city.


“Did you get everything on your list?”


“Yup and more.  You know Uncle Bri,” Patrick said as he lay back on the bed to catch his breath.


“What am I going to do about that brother of mine?”  John asked shaking his head.


“Nothing,” Bobby replied to the rhetorical question.  “There’s nothing anyone can do when Brian is in his generous to a fault mode.  Just thank him and be done with it.”  Bobby got up to put on shorts and a t-shirt.


“You’re right,” John admitted then let it go.  “Did I see Michael’s car at the cabin?”


“Yes, you did,” Patrick answered.  “I think Uncle Bri worked more magic.”


“I don’t know how he does it,” said Bobby.


“It’s a gift,” John stated.  “We should just be grateful he uses his powers for good.”


John’s redheads agreed as the Anderson-Morrison family prepared to enjoy a nice quiet evening at home.


 


*****


 


Ben and Michael lay quietly resting in between rounds.  Michael felt confident that Ben still loved him but unsure if Ben was ready to leave the lane.  Ben was sure in his feelings, he loved Michael with all his heart but this time there would be no compromise.  Ben would stay on the lane for as long as it took to complete his book.  Even under these stressful conditions, Ben had managed to write a preamble and send it off to his publisher.  It was well received, and in turn, Ben received strong encouragement to go on with his book.


“Michael…”


“Wait, I know what you’re going to say.”


“Do you?”


“Yes, you want to stay here to write.”


“Yes, I do.  What I want to say, what I want to share, even if it's only read by one person, and if that person is touched by our story then it’s worth it.”


“Our story?”


“Yes, Michael, our story.  It’s not just about Brian and Justin but it’s about us, and Emmett, and the girls.  Even about your Dr. Dave.  It’s about all of us, about how we work hard and sometimes struggle to live our lives to the fullest.  Even when we’re bashed, bullied, or positive, we live.


“Michael, please try to understand.  I have to write this.”


“What’s it called?”


“The Sunshine Chronicles or Files.  I haven’t made up my mind yet.”


“And it’s about us.”


“Yes, our whole crazy widdle family, as Brian puts it.  But yes, all of us.”


“How does it start?” Michael asked as he snuggled closer to Ben.  The bigger man wrapped a strong arm around him.  Michael breathed in Ben’s masculine scent and the scent of their loving, their sex. 


“It starts on the night when he came along; when Brian met Justin under that lamp.”


“How’s it goin’?  You had a busy night?”…. “Where you headed?”  “No place special.” “I can change that.”


 


*****


 


Justin collapsed down onto Brian’s chest.  He had been riding Brian’s cock for what seemed like hours.  Between the two of them they must have come about a half a dozen times.


“Another good one,” Justin panted. 


“Yeah.”


“Do you think they’re making love?” Justin asked after a while.  “Ben and Michael, I mean.”


“If they’re smart they finished fucking in the kitchen and should be halfway through the living room by now.  It’s all about the sex.”


“Bri-ian!”


“You asked, Sunshine.  I only speak the truth.”


“Not everyone is as adventurous as you are.”


“True,” Brian stated unrepentantly.  “Except for you, my dear Sunshine,” Brian retorted as he made lazy circles on Justin’s back with his fingers.


“Maybe,” Justin said as his cheeks grew hot and flushed.


“No maybe about it.  I’m man enough to know when I have met my match.  And you are my match in every way possible,” Brian said as he rolled them over to be on top of Justin. 


Brian pressed himself down; they were both gooey and sticky but neither of them cared.


“You are my match,” Brian whispered as he gazed into the eyes of the only man to ever hold Brian’s heart.


Justin’s eyes reflected back the love he saw in Brian’s changeable eyes.  Right now they were a dark forest green with sparkling flecks of gold.


They held each other’s gaze for several moments, growing hard again as they did.  Two sets of eyes darkened with lust and love. 


Their next round was about to begin.


 


*****


 


“I can’t believe we’re in Paris!” Gus exclaimed with excitement.  They were standing on the banks of the Seine.  Ray was wide eyed and speechless, an interesting state for a lawyer.


Shane decided to bring the boys to Paris via the Channel tunnel to stay a few days before their actual meeting with Pierre and his agency.  Shane figured it would give the boys an opportunity to get that touristy American look off their faces so when it came time they could concentrate on Kinnetik business.  He figured right.  The boys’ enthusiasm threatened to bowl Shane over. 


“Come on, lads, let’s find a café.  I could use a cuppa,” Shane said with a smirk.  The sun was setting and Shane was getting hungry.


It was a perfect Parisian evening.  Their meal was delightful and the conversation pleasant.  The boys laughed as Shane told them stories of his wayward youth and his travels to Paris.  They were deciding whether to leave or order more wine when Shane received a message from his partner. 


“Well, boys, I’ll be leavin’ ya to your own devices.  I got me a hot date,” Shane said with a grin as he waved his phone in the air making the boys laugh.


“And who might that be with, Shane, me lad,” Gus teased in an awful brogue.


“A true gentleman never kisses and tells,” Shane said with a straight face.  “Seriously, boys, can you find your way back to the hotel?  My partner decided to surprise me with a visit.  I’d hate to disappoint the man.”


“We’ll be fine,” Ray assured their friend and colleague.


“Now don’t be doin’ anythin’ I wouldn’t do,” Gus said, his terrible brogue back.  Shane just shook his head.


“Go,” Ray said as he made a shooing motion with his hands.  “Enjoy yourself.  And say hello to Finn for us.”


“Will we be seein’ ya both at breakfast?” Gus asked with a waggle of his eyebrows and a lascivious grin.


“Please go now, before he embarrasses us even further,” Ray suggested.  They all laughed as Shane flagged down a taxi.


“Kinney, you know you are truly evil, right?” Ray stated as he ordered them both more wine.  They were in no rush.  Their business trip didn’t officially begin for another week.


“I’m sweet!” Gus replied.


As the boys sat back to enjoy themselves and the night, a man sitting at the far side of the café, sneered as he cursed the name, “Kinney.”


 

 

-tbc-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1736