Gay Paree by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Gus and Ray go to Paris while the rest of the lane tries to get back to normal.


Story #75 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 30476 Read: 4252 Published: Jan 18, 2022 Updated: Jan 18, 2022
Story Notes:

Banner by Sabina

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine


Gay Paree

Chapter 1


 


Gus opened his eyes and then immediately closed them again.  He stretched luxuriously and ran his hand over the soft cotton sheets.  He opened his eyes tentatively as they adjusted to the ray of bright sun shining in through the gap in the drapes of his hotel room.


"We're in Paris," he whispered to himself.


"Yes we are," Ray said with a big smile on his face.


"You're awake."


"I am, and as you said, we're in Gay Paree."


"Yes, we are," Gus agreed with a beautiful smile.  "So, what are we going to do?"


"First, I'm going to fuck you into tomorrow and then we're going to explore Paris," Ray said decisively.


"If you fuck me into tomorrow, we'll lose a day of our time in Paris," Gus said with a coy grin.


"Hm, point taken," Ray said, "but it would be worth it."


Gus grinned.  "I love you."


"Backatcha," Ray whispered before his lips captured Gus', and their Parisian adventure began in earnest.


Quite a while later, the boys grabbed some cafe au lait and croissants from the restaurant in their hotel.  They walked along the street munching on their croissants and soaking up the atmosphere.


"Where should we go?" Ray asked after they finished eating.


"What do you mean?" Gus asked with a frown.


"The Louvre, Notre Dame, Sacre-Coeur?"


"You've been reading the guidebooks," Gus told him.


"Yes I have."


 Gus said thoughtfully, "Let's go to Notre Dame."


"Notre Dame?  Are you sure?"


"Yeah, why not?" Gus asked.


"I never thought of you as the churchy type."


"Churchy type?  What's that supposed to mean?"


"You know ... religious," Ray replied.


"I'm not particularly religious, you should know that," Gus retorted.


"I'm always finding new things about you.  I thought this might be another one."


Gus smiled at his partner.  "I'm not religious, but I am an artist ... of a sort.  Notre Dame has perfect proportions and amazing stained glass windows that I'd really like to see."


"Okay then, let's go," Ray said hailing a cab.


"Great," Gus said as they climbed into the cab.


A short ride later and they stood in front of the magnificent cathedral.


"It really is beautiful," Ray admitted.


"Isn't it!" Gus responded.  "Let's get in line and go inside."


It took quite a while as the line was long and moved slowly, but finally they arrived at the main portal.  Gus studied the carvings of saints while they waited to be admitted. 


Ray watched Gus' face.  "You really get off on this place, don't you?"


"It's wonderful."


Ray shook his head.  The building was certainly impressive, but it was so old.  He couldn't get excited about it the way Gus did.


"We're in next," Gus said excitedly.


The boys walked in through the massive doors.  The interior of the church was quite cool even in the heat of the summer.  Rays of bluish light shone across the nave as the sun filtered through the stained glass windows.


"Wow!" Ray said in spite of himself.


"Impressive, huh?"


"Yeah."


Gus grinned.  "I hoped you'd like it."


"It was worth coming here," Ray stated causing Gus to give him a hug.


They wandered around the cathedral looking at the beautiful rose window and the many side chapels and the main altar.  As they made their way back to the main entrance, Gus turned and walked backwards taking it all in one last time.


"That was great," Gus said when they exited.  The sun blazed in their eyes and they squinted for a couple of minutes before their eyes adjusted.


"What's next?" Ray asked.


"I think I could use lunch," Gus said as his stomach rumbled.


"Yeah, we spent a long time in there."


"And in line.  Let's walk along the side of the cathedral and see if there are any cafes nearby," Gus suggested.


They walked slowly down the street beside the cathedral, looking at the flying buttresses, the stone tracery and the myriad carvings.


"It really is incredible," Ray said when they reached the back of the church.


"That looks like a commercial street across the way," Gus noted, "and I think I see a cafe."


They crossed the road and entered Cafe Michel.  A middle aged waiter showed them to a table and handed each of them a menu.


"I want French onion soup," Ray declared.


"In France?" Gus asked with a laugh.


"I want the real thing."


"Then French onion soup it is and a baguette to go with it," Gus told the waiter who spoke pretty good English.


"This is the best thing I've ever eaten," Ray declared when their soup came and he took his first bite.


"Mmm," Gus agreed as he practically inhaled his bowl of soup.


"Why can't they make it like this at home?" Ray asked. 


"Um, maybe because they're not French."


Ray chuckled.  "That might be it."


"What are we going to do when we finish our soup?" Gus asked.


"Hm," Ray replied thinking of what he might like to see as he wiped his lips from the last spoonful of his onion soup.


"If I might suggest, messieurs," their waiter said.  Gus nodded.  "Many people like to stroll along the Seine and look at the booksellers stalls."


"We don't read French," Ray explained.


"There are books from all over the world and many other interesting things as well.  If you tire of that, you could take one of the Bateaux-Mouches."


"One of what?" Gus asked.


"Bateaux-Mouches, the sightseeing boats on the Seine.  You can see a lot of Paris that way."


"That sounds good," Ray said.


"And you might want to check out the Latin Quarter for dinner.  It's just over there," the waiter said pointing.  "Hundreds of restaurants to choose from.  And there's a concert tonight at Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre."


"What's that?" Gus asked.


"Un moment," the waiter said as he cleared their table and returned with a flyer advertising the concert.  "It is music students, a string quartet, who will be performing.  It has, how you say, the atmosphere of Paris."


"Sounds great," Ray said.


They paid for their soup which was surprisingly reasonable and left a large tip for their helpful waiter.


They strolled along the Seine looking in the small green stalls that lined the walkway.  When they came to one of the stops for the Bateaux-Mouches, they decided to take a ride.  They ended up doing the whole tour which took a couple of hours.  It gave them a good understanding of the layout of Paris and of some other things they might like to do in the coming days.


As they left the boat, they asked for directions to the Latin Quarter.  Pointed in the right direction, they began walking.  They asked a couple of times for further directions, before finally turning into a street lined with restaurants packed together one after the other.  Each restaurant had a man standing outside, touting the type of food and its great quality, trying to draw in the passers-by.


They walked on trying to decide which restaurant might be a good one to choose.  It was a bit much to take in.


"I'm bushed," Gus said.  "Let's go in the next place, whatever it is, and get a beer.  We can decide about dinner later.


"Sounds good."


As it turned out, they had their beer and a wonderful French dinner of coq au vin, all at the same restaurant.  It gradually filled up as the sun crept lower in the sky.  Gus and Ray watched the people who surrounded them and felt the ambiance of Paris drift over them.


When they were ready to leave, they asked the man who still manned the doorway for directions to Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre.  It was just a few streets over but they had to navigate the maze of restaurants to get there.  Finally they arrived at the squat old church, so different from Notre Dame.


"This is a lot of churches in one day," Ray observed.


"Maybe we'll get religion while we're in Paris."


"I hope not," Ray huffed.


"Atheist," Gus said with a chuckle.


"Could be."


They paid the fee and entered the old church to find it lit only by candlelight.


"How romantic," Gus said when they sat down.


"It really is," Ray agreed.  "You don't find anything like this at home."


"That's why people love Paris.  It's an experience."


Ray nodded just as the musicians entered and took their seats.  Neither Gus nor Ray were fans of classical music, but in that place that night they learned how exquisite it could be.  The string quartet was excellent, and the boys enjoyed the whole concert, holding hands for most of it.  They let the music and the soft candlelight and the wonderful feelings that the place evoked wash over them.  They were sad when the concert ended, but had a new respect for the Paris they had always heard was so magnificent.  It really was very special.


When they tumbled into their bed at the hotel, both men were exhausted.  It wasn't long until they both were asleep, ending a perfect beginning to their Paris adventure.


 


*****


 


“I think I can get used to this,” Michael said as he sipped his coffee on the patio.  The sun was bright but with just enough of a cool breeze to stave off unpleasant humidity.


“Hmm,” Ben mumbled, not really paying attention.  He was eyeballs deep into a chapter and hunched over his laptop.  Since their reconciliation, Ben was so inspired that he was practically glued to the computer; that is, when he wasn’t glued to Michael.


“I said,” Michael was about to repeat but realized that it wasn’t important.  What was important was that he and Ben were together and living in the cabin.  Michael was still kicking himself over that one.  He should have known better, but he let petty jealousy get the better of him.  And he should have listened to his family but his stubbornness won out.  Until Brian made him see reason.


“When am I ever going to learn?” Michael mumbled.


“Hmm?” Ben murmured making Michael smile.


“Nothing,” Michael said as he gently kissed Ben’s cheek then turned to go back inside.  Sensing that something had changed, Ben looked up.


“Love you,” Ben said with an endearing smile.


“Love you too,” Michael replied just in time before Ben returned to his writing.  “Love you so much,” Michael whispered.


 


*****


 


“Hello?” Michael called out as he walked into the cottage.


“Back here!” Michael heard Justin call out from the sun porch.  Michael walked through the house to the porch.


“Hi.”


“Hey, what’s up?” Justin asked as he stared at a blank canvas.


“Nothing really, I got bored working on my tan,” Michael quipped.


“A little late in the summer for tanning, don’t you think?” Justin mumbled around the wooden end of a paint brush.


“I didn’t have much time before.  You know, working at the store and stuff,” Michael said with a touch of sadness.


“I understand,” Justin said sincerely.  Then he sighed, loudly.


“What’s wrong?”


“I guess I’m a little uninspired at the moment.  And a little hungry.  Do you want lunch?” Justin asked as he put down his brush then strolled into the kitchen with Michael in tow.


“Sure.  Um, where is everybody?”  The cottage was very quiet.


“Bobby’s at his office clearing up cases.  He’s taking most of September off, said something about baseball,” Justin replied while his head was in the refrigerator in search of the fixings for lunch.  “John is on a job.  He took Patrick and Peter with him.  Bree’s with Rachel and her girls.  Something about a girls’ day out before school starts.”


“And Brian?” Michael asked trying not to sound desperate.


“Not sure, garden center I think.  Ham or roast beef?” Justin asked as he turned and waved various cold cuts at Michael.


“No bologna?” Michael asked.  He chose the ham when Justin shook his head no.


They made their sandwiches, got drinks then sat at the table.


“I never realized how quiet it is out here,” Michael said between bites.


“But you’ve been out here hundreds of times.”


“Yeah, but mostly during parties.”


“What about when you were, you know...”


“When I was sick?” Michael asked.  Justin nodded, blushing a little at asking something so personal.  “I didn’t noticed much back then.  I guess I was too scared to think about anything else.”


“Yeah, I know the feeling,” Justin admitted.


“You do?”


“After I was hurt, sometimes I was so angry that I’d trash things; other times I was feeling sorry for myself, but most times I was just scared,” Justin whispered.


Michael nodded with understanding.  Before he knew his diagnosis and how to treat it, Michael was scared too.


“But that’s the beauty of the lane, it can be as noisy or as quiet as we want it to be!” Justin said with a sunny smile.  He didn’t want the conversation to become morose.


“Yeah!” Michael agreed and then they finished their lunch in companionable silence.


“How’s Ben doing?” Justin asked when they began to clean up.


“Great!” Michael answered with a little too much enthusiasm.  Michael blushed.


“And his book?”


“Good too, I think.  He doesn’t talk about it much.  He’s too busy typing.”


“I thought he liked writing long hand.”


“Me too but he said it’s easier to get the chapters to his editor this way.”


“Makes sense.  Uh, do you have any idea how long you’ll be staying?  I mean it’s not like we don’t want you here, but we share information and look out for each other since it’s a bit remote.”


“I guess that makes sense.  I’d want to know who’s around just in case of an emergency or something,” Michael said after he thought it through.


“It’s not like we tell each other everything, but we know when Emm and Drew are planning to come to the lane and when they plan to stay in Pittsburgh.  It helps John know what to do about their cottage.  Same with Molly.”


“What’s their cottages have to do with it?”


“John sort of powers down the cottages when no one’s living in them.  It saves on electricity and gas.  Why heat a house full blast when there’s no one there.  He’ll keep the thermostat high enough to prevent pipes from freezing and a small lamp on a timer but that’s all.”


“I never knew.  You do that with our cabin too?”


“Sure.  And it helps that Beau and his family do regular inspections as well,” Justin teased.


“Yeah, Lucy nearly gave me a heart attack the other night when I went to sit on the front porch for a while.  She can be very quiet when she wants to be.  That reminds me, we need more dog snacks.”


“I’ll give you a box to take with you,” Justin assured him.


“My mom and Carl really like it out here, huh?”


“As far as I know they do.  I’m sure if Debbie changed her mind about living on the lane she’d let everyone know.”


“Yeah.  Speaking of my mom, I think I better go talk to her.”  Michael’s face turned a deep red.


“She loves you no matter what,” Justin said as he found a box of John approved dog snacks for Michael.


“I know.”  Michael wasn’t sure what to say. 


Justin gently shooed Michael out of the conjoined cottages as Brian’s Jeep rumbled through the gate and up the lane.  Brian tapped the horn as Michael waved on his way to the thatched cottage.  Justin watched and waited as Brian parked.


“Entertaining gentlemen callers while I was out, Sunshine?” Brian drawled with an arched brow.  Somewhere in the back of his mind, Brian never got over the time when he saw Justin in bed asleep with Michael. 


Justin gave Brian’s chest a light smack before reaching up on his toes to give his man a kiss.  Brian took that opportunity to exert a little dominance with a toe curling kiss.  Brian smiled when the kiss ended leaving him with a slightly breathless Sunshine.  Justin said nothing when Brian tucked him under his arm as they strolled inside.


“How are things at the garden center?” Justin asked as he handed Brian a cup of coffee.


“Fine,” Brian replied with a grin. 


Justin shook his head.  “Be serious.”


“I am being serious.  Todd has his crews jumping.  Not only are they preparing for the fall season but he has men on retainer in anticipation for a rough winter.”


“He’s good.”


“Yes, he is.  And he looks happy,” Brian said in all seriousness.


“He and Tom are good for each other,” Justin stated.  “I’m happy for them.”


“So am I, Sunshine,” Brian saluted with his mug.  “How’s Mikey?”


“Good.  Happy.  Maybe a little bored.  It’s not like he can sell comics while he’s here.”


“Why not?  He has a website for his store, why can’t he sell from there?”


“That’s a good question.  Maybe you should talk to him and JR about it,” Justin put forth.


“Maybe I will.  In the meantime, it appears we have a very quiet cottage.”


“For now.  I’m not expecting Bree for hours,” Justin informed his spouse.


“Really?” Brian asked with a grin.


“Yes, really.  I was informed by Rachel that girls’ day out included dinner and maybe a movie.”


“Hmm, I wonder what we can do to fill the void?”  Brian waggled his eyebrows.


“I’m sure you’ll think of something,” Justin replied with a knowing smile.


Grinning like fools at each other for the moment, Justin sprang up.


“Race ya!” Justin shouted as he sprinted for their room with Brian hot…hot on his Sunshine’s tail.


Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Gay Paree


 


Chapter 2


 


 


 


“You know, I’m actually sorry to leave,” Glen sighed as he zippered up a suitcase.


“Yeah, me too.  The summer just flew by,” Alex agreed as he began packing another bag with their belongings.  “Soon it’ll be the…”


“Please don’t say the “h” word!” Glen growled.  Alex went over to Glen and leaned over to kiss his neck.


“I won’t, I promise but this year we can spend them here, if you wish.”  Alex murmured against Glen’s skin, gently nibbling the tender flesh.  “Then we can have a proper fire going and make love on the hearth rug.”


Glen gave his spouse a look.  “Have you been reading Jane Austen again?”  Alex laughed and went back to his packing.  “In spite of our vacation starting out as a “working” vacation, I really enjoyed our summer.  I just wish it didn’t end so fast.”


“Me too.  Is it my imagination or does it seem the older we get the faster time flies?”


“You know you do this every Fall, you start waxing poetic.  You’re the psychiatrist, you know time doesn’t move, it’s linear, we move through time!  Oh good god, now I’m sounding like Mr. Spock!”


Alex burst out laughing.


“Come on, Mr. Spock, time to pack the shuttlecraft and plot a course for home,” Alex teased.


“Easy for you to say,” Glen grumbled as he zippered up another suitcase.


The boys made one last sweep of the cottage before locking up and getting into their van.  Alex was just about to turn the key in the ignition when John came jogging through the meadow closely followed by his pack.


“I’m glad I caught you,” John said as he shook hands with the lane’s newest family.  “Do you have any concerns about the cottage?”


“No, I’m confident it’s in capable hands,” Alex said with a smile.


“I have a question,” Glen began as he raised his hand like a kid in school.  Both John and Alex chuckled.  “What about that palm tree in the sun porch and the flowers in the window boxes?  Will someone take care of them or should I start humming Taps?” 


Alex buried his head in his hands while John shook his.


“Bree or Brian will probably remove the summer annuals.  The perennials will be fine.  As for the palm, we’ll probably take it to the greenhouse for the winter.  Since this cottage is mainly a summer cottage, the sun porch gets its heat from the sun and the main cottage.  If you decide to stay for long periods in the winter, we can discuss other heating options.”


“Sounds good to me.  Glen?”


“Yeah, that sounds logical,” Glen said without thinking.  He was occupied by Little Beau who was up on his rear legs with his front paws in Glen’s lap.  “I think I’m going to miss these wolves.”  Lucie inserted herself next to Little Beau to give Glen a send-off lick on the cheek. 


“I’m going to miss you, beautiful lady.”  Glen dug his hands into the soft fur around Lucie’s neck to give her a rub.  When she got down, Beau Sr. took her place.  He gave Little Beau a nip to make the younger dog move out of his way.


“Master Beau, thank you for making us feel safe out here,” Glen said gently.  Beau appeared to understand the compliment and puffed out his chest with pride.  “Keep an eye on the place while we’re gone.”  Beau woofed then moved out of the way before Little Beau could barge back in.  Glen leaned as far back as he could away from the slobbering tongue of Beau Jr.  “Yuck, now I’m going to smell like a dog for the next two hours!” Glen complained as he kept scratching Little Beau’s ears.


“Oh yeah, I can see what a real hardship that is for you,” Alex snarked.  Glen just glared at his snarky partner.


“Down,” John firmly commanded when he thought Glen had enough love from the younger dog.  Little Beau immediately sat down.  “Good boy,” John said as he patted the big dog’s head.


“So now you tell me he’s trained,” Glen griped.


“You never asked,” John said with a laugh.  Alex laughed too as Glen closed his eyes and groaned.  “With your permission, I’m going to inspect your cottage now.  If you call me when you’re planning to return I can prep the cottage before you get here.”


“Call you, not Brian?” Alex asked as Glen slid the van door shut and secured his wheel chair for the trip home. 


“My brother has become very adept at prepping the cottages; however, he’s much better at landscaping,” John said with a wink and a smile.


“Understood,” Alex said with a nod.


The boys waved as John entered the cottage to do his thing.  The “wolves” took off to parts unknown.


“We should say goodbye to Brian and Justin,” Glen said.


“I was planning on it.  They’ve been very generous,” Alex agreed as he slowly drove the van around the cottage.  The boys took in the lovely sight of the surrounding fields.  The meadow was alive with thousands of sunflowers swaying in the breeze.  “I will miss this.”


“It’s so beautiful,” Glen agreed.  “Let’s spend our winter break here.”


“That’s a wonderful idea.”


Alex slowly drove the van through the meadow until they reached the manicured lawn of the conjoined cottages.  This was the junction between the two driveways.  Alex continued to drive until they were on the lane.  He pulled up until they could see the gardens peeking out from the side of the house then parked.  Brian was currently preparing his gardens for the cooler weather.  He was dressed in his overalls, hat, and sunglasses.  The sweat from his labors made his skin glisten in the sun.


Glen let out a slow whistle.


“Geez, that man is fucking hot!” Glen exclaimed.  His appreciation for Brian’s physique was still quite obvious.  Glen felt, rather than saw, Alex’s glare.  “Still not dead,” Glen stated never taking his eyes off his landlord.  Alex gave Glen a soft pop to the arm.  “Ow!”


“That didn’t hurt, you big baby.”


“It could have!”  Alex blew a raspberry.  “Oh real mature.  May I remind you that we won’t see Brian dressed like that again until next summer!”


“Hmm, you’re right.  We better take a good look now,” Alex said.  Glen snorted.


While the two of them kept bickering, Brian approached the van.


“Hey,” Brian called out into the window.  The boys let out a startled scream.


“Don’t do that,” Glen gasped.  “I’m fragile.”


“Fragile, my ass.  You can probably bench me and Justin at the same time.”


“Well, I don’t like to brag,” Glen began proudly.


“So don’t,” Alex quickly interrupted.  “Brian, we're heading back to the city.  We just wanted to stop by to say goodbye and thank you.  We’ve had a wonderful summer.  We’re planning to come back for our winter break.”


“We should be thanking you,” Brian began.


“Yes, we should,” Justin added.  He had been painting in the sun porch.  Inspired by his hard working gardener, Justin took advantage of the opportunity to paint his favorite model.  “You came here for a vacation but helped us in so many ways.  I’ll always be grateful,” Justin said sincerely.  Brian draped an arm around Justin’s shoulder to give him a squeeze.


“Think nothing of it,” Glen said seriously.  “You’ve given us a beautiful refuge and we plan to come back as often as possible.”  Alex nodded.


“Please say goodbye to Michael and Ben for us,” Alex said.


“Yes, and to the rest the families on the lane.  You’ve all made us feel so warm and welcome,” Glen added.


“Even Michael?” Brian asked with a smirk.


“Even Michael,” Glen replied with a nod.  Brian smiled at the man as he reached through the window to shake Glen’s hand.


Brian and Justin nodded as Alex started up the van then slowly pulled away.


“I guess the summer is really over,” Brian said with a sigh.


“Yeah, the kids start school next week,” said Justin. 


“Are we doing anything for the Labor Day weekend?” Brian asked as the van took the short bend toward the gate then was out of view.  The boys walked back to the cottage then into the kitchen.


“We should keep it low key.  Ben and Michael just got back together.  I think they need a little quiet time without family interference.”


“I’m with you on that one, Sunshine.  We’ve had enough barbeques over the summer.  Low key sounds perfect to me.”


“How goes the gardening?”


“Almost done.  When I’m finished with ours I’ll start on Molly’s then work my way down the lane,” said Brian.


“That’s way too much for one day!”


“Don’t worry, McSunshine, I wasn’t planning on doing it all in one day.  Our hippie dippy weatherman forecasts sunny skies for the rest of the week.  I’ll do one cottage at a day.  Does that meet with your approval?”


“Yes, it does,” Justin stated as he gave Brian a cool drink and a hot kiss.


“Besides, I like the idea about Mikey ramping up his online business.  I’ll invite him over to work on it with him.”  That remark earned Brian a bright sunny smile and another kiss from his Sunshine.


“Do we have time to discuss this further in our bedroom?” Justin murmured against Brian’s lips.  Brian groaned and sadly shook his head no.


“I want to finish up the garden then I have some Kinnetik business to do.  Your sister is flying out tomorrow to meet Gus, Ray, and Shane in Paris.”


“Not in London?”


“No, Shane decided to take the boys a few days early so they could get over that star struck 'we’re in Paris' phase.  Then when they meet Pierre and his associates they can concentrate on business rather than being in awe of their surroundings.”


“That makes sense.  I bet the boys are having a ball,” Justin said with a smile.


“If they’re smart, they’re having more than one,” Brian said with a lascivious grin.


Justin shook his head then pointed toward the door.  “Go.  Out.  I think I hear your flowers calling you.  I’m going back to my painting.”  Justin turned, swishing his way back to the porch.  It was Brian’s turn to shake his head…to clear it of thoughts of Justin’s lovely ass and of what he could do to it.


Brian sighed before going back to his gardens.


 


***** 


 


Gus' eyes fluttered open as he felt Ray's mouth around his cock.  "Mmm," he moaned.


"Good morning, lover," Ray whispered, ceasing his ministrations to speak.


"Don't stop," Gus pleaded.


Ray went back to work.


Gus came with a shattering gasp.  He lay in a hazy fog for a few minutes while Ray rolled onto his side and stared at his partner.


"Good?" Ray asked.


"Spectacular," Gus replied softly.  "What a way to wake up!"


Ray chuckled.  "I thought you needed a special wakeup call after tramping around the Louvre all day yesterday."


"I think I've had enough of museums and churches for a while," Gus said as he stretched.


"We could go to Versailles," Ray suggested.


"Yeah, I've heard all the gold and mirrors are quite splendid."


"That doesn't sound like a roaring approval of that plan."


"We can do it if you want," Gus acquiesced.


"What would you rather do?"


"I just love strolling the streets and having meals outdoors in a cafe or in that area with all the restaurants, you know where the waiter sent us."


"I really enjoyed that too.  So, no gold and mirrors for Brian Kinney's son," Ray stated.


"You think that's what I would like?" Gus asked with a frown.


"Your dad is extremely wealthy."


"He is, but I'm not, and I don't think he would be too impressed with Versailles either."


"Really?  Why not?" Ray asked.


"Look where he lives," Gus replied.  "He could have a mansion or a penthouse or any kind of place he wanted, but he chose a cottage on an isolated lane."


"Hm, true," Ray said thoughtfully.  "Surrounded by family and friends.  I guess that's what is really important to him."


"It is.  He likes the finer things in life, don't doubt that, but he isn't into ostentation."


"And neither is his son?"


"Nope, I like my life just the way it is."


"I'll remember that."


"Please do," Gus said with a winning smile.  "Now it's my turn to provide you with a memorable wakeup call."


"But I'm already awake."


"Point taken," Gus said before kissing Ray thoroughly.


"Um, before I surrender to your wiles, young man, I think we should order something to eat."


"Room service?"


"Yep, then you can have your way with me."


"You got it," Gus said with a grin as Ray reached for the phone.  "Order lots of food.  I'm starving."


They had time for some fun in bed before taking a hot shower and getting into robes just as their food arrived.  They were quick to wolf down the bacon and eggs with delicious croissants to accompany them.


As they sat back with their cafe au lait, having devoured every last scrap of their breakfast, the phone rang.


"I wonder who that is?" Gus said.  "Maybe it's Molly; she should be here soon."


"Or your dad checking up on us," Ray said with a smirk.


Gus shot him a look, before picking up the phone.  "Hello," he said hoping it wasn't his dad checking up on them.


"Gus, me lad, how are you and Ray doing?" Shane asked in his brogue.


"Faith and begorrah, Shane, we're good," Gus replied trying to use his best brogue.  It wasn't particularly successful.  Gus heard Shane groan over the phone.  "What?" Gus asked.


"Nobody uses that old expression anymore," Shane explained.  "Where the hell did you hear it?"


"I don't know," Gus admitted.  "Maybe my dad used it sometime."


"Well, tell him not to in the future," Shane stated with a little chuckle.


"I'll let him know," Gus said.  "Why are you calling?  Has something happened?"


Shane laughed.  "Every time I call isn't a crisis."


"It's not?"


Shane let that one go.  "Have you guys been to the Eiffel Tower yet?" he asked.


"No.  I hear it's hard to get in - long lines and you can only go up so far."


"That would be correct."


"So?"


"Pierre thought he would treat you two.  He's got some connections and he wangled a VIP pass for the two of you today, if you would like to use it," Shane explained.


"Would we!  That would be great."


"He has a reservation for lunch up on the tower too."


"Wow!"


"I take it you will be using both."


"Definitely.  I can't thank Pierre enough."


"I'll tell him.  He's earned some, what do you call it, brownie points?" Shane asked.


"He most definitely has."


Shane laughed.  "The lunch reservation is for one p.m., but I suggest you arrive around noon and take the elevator to the top of the tower.  Do your sightseeing first.  You get a great view of Paris from there."


"That sounds wonderful," Gus said.  "Thank Pierre for us, and I'll thank him myself later."


"Will do.  I'll courier the pass over to your hotel.  It should be there within the hour."


"Thanks again.  Um, while you're on the phone, do you know when Molly will arrive?"


"I believe she'll be here tomorrow," Shane replied.


"Okay, and thanks again."


"No problem, my boy."


Gus hung up and Ray stared at him.


"What?"


"I take it that you have committed us to something."


"Oops," Gus said shifting to sit close to his partner.  "I should have asked you first, shouldn't I?"


"That would have been nice."


"Sorry, but it's all good," Gus said with a coy smile.  "I promise you'll like it."


"We'll see," Ray responded.


Gus told him about their Eiffel Tower reservation and lunch.  Ray indeed did like it.  He sealed the deal with a warm kiss.


"Am I forgiven for not asking you first?"


"This time," Ray said pecking Gus' lips.  "So what are we going to do until noon?"


"How about a stroll on the Champs Elysees?"


"Sounds like a plan."


"Let's go," Gus said jumping up.  "I don't want to waste a minute, because Shane says Molly is arriving tomorrow.  We'll have to get back to work."


"Bummer," Ray said.  "I've really enjoyed being in Paris ... with you."


"Me too," Gus replied.


They shared another kiss.


"Let's get this show on the road," Ray said.


They walked the Champs Elysees from top to bottom, having first climbed the Arc de Triomphe which sat at one end of the Champs Elysees.  They had a coffee at an outdoor cafe and watched the Parisians and tourists go by.  Then they looked in some of the luxury shops that lined the avenue.


As noon approached, they grabbed a cab and arrived at the Champs de Mars which spread under the Eiffel Tower.


"Wow, look at the lines," Ray said.  "We'll really have to thank Pierre."


"I'd say we're very lucky," Gus replied as he presented their pass at the VIP gate.


Everything went without a hitch and they only had to wait a few minutes for the next elevator.  Soon they were standing at the top level of the Eiffel Tower.


"Wow!" Gus said as he did a three-sixty turn to take it all in.


"You've used that word a lot today," Ray chuckled.


"It's the only word that expresses what I feel.  I can see why people fall in love with Paris."


"Yeah, it's pretty spectacular."


They spent several minutes enjoying the view and pointing out some of the sights they could see.  Sacre Coeur church was visible on the horizon, high above most of the city. 


"It's nice that there aren't skyscrapers to cut off the view," Ray observed.  Gus nodded in agreement.


After a while they took the elevator down to the restaurant level.  They enjoyed a nice lunch with a wonderful view.


Following their descent from the tower, they hailed a cab and asked the driver what part of Paris would be best for a nice walk.  He suggested along the Seine where they had already been.  His second choice was the Marais district and he dropped them off at one of the main areas for shopping and strolling.  That took up the rest of the afternoon, before they ended up in the Latin Quarter for a late dinner.


When they finally returned to their hotel, both of them were tired and sated.


"It's going to be so hard to go back to work," Gus said.


"Yeah, this has been great, but I guess reality beckons tomorrow."


"I love you," Gus said as he kissed his partner.


"I love you too."


"Let's order a bottle of wine and toast the wonderful city of Paris," Gus suggested.


"That would be a perfect end to our mini vacation."

 

And it was.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Gay Paree


 


Chapter 3


 


 


 


“Hey, lazy bones, answer your phone,” Ray said as he handed Gus the phone.  Gus was indeed being lazy, luxuriating in bed on the last day of their quickie Paris vacation.  They were scheduled to meet with Pierre the next day.  Gus stretched his long frame before taking the phone from Ray who was waving it in front of Gus’ face.


“Coffee,” Gus grumbled as he grabbed the phone.  Ray went to order room service while Gus said hello.


“Good morning, Gus, I hope I didn’t interrupt anything important,” a familiar voice said on the line.


“Who is this?” Gus asked with suspicion. 


The man on the phone laughed.  “Charles Higgins.”


“Charles?  Is my mom all right?”  Gus quickly sat up.


“She’s perfect.”  Charles heard Gus breathe a sigh of relief.  “I’m calling because a little birdy told me you’re in Paris poised to make an advertising coup.”


“What!”


“Now don’t get your knickers all in an uproar, I haven’t told a soul.  You know Shane and I have become friends and your mother and I…”


“I get the picture; no pun intended,” Gus snarled making Charles chuckle.  “To what do I owe the pleasure,” Gus growled sounding remarkably like his father.


“Pierre Bellerose and I are old business acquaintances.  There are several small galleries in Paris and just outside of the city that the National Gallery has done business with.  Pierre’s agency handles the PR.  In fact I was about to discuss a new Justin Taylor show at one such gallery.”


“Hmm,” Gus’ wheels began cranking over in his brain.  The aroma of rich French coffee that had just arrived to their room was helping to turn the crank.  “That would be some event, if we could pull it off in time.  The merger and the promotion of a new show.  Hmm.”


“Gus?  Earth to Gus!” Charles said loudly.


“Sorry, Charles, just thinking.”


“No need to apologize, my boy.  Glad to be of service.  It would be good to see the passion back in Pierre’s eyes again.  The last time we met his eyes lacked their usual enthusiasm.  Please convey my regards to him when you meet.  And I wish you luck, my boy, although I doubt you’ll need it.”


“Why do you say that?”


“You come from a unique lineage.  Passion, intellect, curiosity, and the brilliance to pull it all together.  You were a mere lad when you created the fractal video.  We still feature it; it never fails to entertain.  And you have one more thing in your favor.”


“What’s that?” Gus asked although he had a sneaking suspicion of what that “thing” was.


“Those stunning Kinney looks.  Combined with your mother’s sweetness, I sincerely doubt that anyone could resist you when you set your mind to something.”


“Hmm.”


“I’m ringing off; say hello to your young man for me,” Charles said with a laugh as he cut their connection.


“Hmm,” Gus murmured as he automatically hit the red button.


“Who called?  And you have that look in your eyes,” said Ray as he sat on the edge of the bed and handed a cup of coffee to Gus.  Gus inhaled the rich aroma then took several sips, savoring the flavor.


“That was Charles.”


“Charles?  Your mother’s Chaarles?”


“The one and only.  You know for a notorious ladies man, he’s lusted after my Pop for years.”


“Yeah, well your Pop could turn Donald Trump to the dark side,” Ray quipped.


The boys stared at each other for a few seconds, “eiwed” then shook themselves.


“Okay, now there’s an image I could live without,” Gus said as he shivered.  He handed Ray his now empty cup then got out of bed.  Throwing on some jeans, Gus went in search of breakfast.


“So what did Chaarles want?”


“Apparently something my mom said to him, peaked his curiosity.  He went to Shane for confirmation.  Bottom line, Charles knows Pierre.  The Bellerose agency handles the PR for a few small galleries this side of the channel for Charles.”


“That’s interesting.”


“I thought so too.  Plus, Charles is planning a Justin Taylor show here, soon.”


“Now that would be a great way of kicking off the merger,” Ray spouted.


“Agreed.  No conflict of interest issues?”


“Not at all.  Kinnetik has the Bloom Gallery contract which is Justin’s home base.  Isles handles the National Gallery.  Nothing wrong with Bellerose handling the PR here.”


“Yeah!” Gus said with a big smile.  “What time is it?” Gus asked as he grabbed Ray’s wrist to check the time.  “Shane and Molly should be here soon.  Let’s go over a few things first,” said Gus in his Kinnetik business voice.  Ray nodded as he refilled their coffee cups. 


The boys got back to business.


 


*****


 


As it turned out Molly did go to London first.  She was toting a carry-on filled with Kinnetik material for Shane, little of it needed in Paris.  It made sense to go to Isles first and deliver it there.  Shane and his partner had gone back to London so Shane took that time to set Molly up in the same Paris hotel as Gus and Ray.  He and Molly would take the channel crossing.  When their business was complete, successfully Shane hoped, Molly would travel back to Pittsburgh from Paris.


Molly was traveling solo.  She thought seriously about Brian’s offer to have Owen and Taylor accompany her, but Molly didn’t want the distraction.  She was only scheduled to be in Paris overnight, three days at most.  Molly planned on sticking with Ray while he reviewed contracts.   Not only was Molly fluent in French, she was able to read and write it. 


Molly vowed to go to Paris with her family in the near future.


 


*****


 


Brian stepped out of the shower, a towel wrapped around his waist and was toweling off his hair as he called Michael.


 “Hey, Mikey, am I interrupting anything important?” Brian asked when Michael answered his phone.


“Not really.  I was just watching Ben type.  Why?” 


Brian smiled, he had had some trepidation about their reunion.  So Brian was happy to hear that Michael was demonstrating some appreciation for his husband.  Even if it was only watching the man work.  Brian had loads of personal experience doing just that.


“Can you come over here?  I have a proposition for you.”  Michael took a sudden intake of air.  “Not that type of proposition, you dork.  A business proposition.”


“Who you calling a dork?  You dork,” Michael retorted without malice.


“You, you dork,” Brian teased as he giggled.


“You’re the dork!”


“No, you are!”  Brian heard Michael laughing.  It was one of the best sounds he had heard in a long time.  “Seriously, Mikey, can you come up to my office?”


“Sure.  I’ll just tell Ben.”


“Later,” said Brian as he hung up then quickly got dressed.


 


*****


 


“Hello?” Michael called out as he stepped through the sun porch door.


“Up here!” a voice replied.  “Come on up.” 


Michael climbed the spiral stairs to the balcony and doorway to Brian’s inner sanctum.  “You know something, I don’t remember the last time I was up here,” he commented.  Brian just nodded as he fiddled with his computer and made a phone call.


“Comic Book store,” came a voice over the speaker phone.


“Hi, Honey Bun!”


“Dad!” JR reprimanded her dad as she stomped one foot.  Brian cracked up.


“You’ll always be my Honey Bun,” Michael vowed.


“I hate to break up this touching family moment but I have business to discuss,” Brian interjected.  Michael and JR stopped talking.  “Thank you.  Now that I have your attention I’d like to discuss your website.”


“What about it?” Michael asked.


“I know,” JR said.


“Go on,” said Michael, his arms already crossed over his chest.


“He’s crossing his arms, isn’t he, Uncle Bri?”


“Yup,” Brian replied with a smirk.  Michael glared but didn’t uncross his arms.  “Glaring too.”  JR giggled.


“That’s enough.  What’s this all about?”


“Dad, I’ve been telling you for years that we can use our website for more than just promoting Rage and our other merchandise.  It’s time, Dad.” 


Michael slowly uncrossed his arms with resignation.  “You want us to open up an online store,” said Michael as a statement more than a question.  They had tried it before but the economy wasn’t cooperating at the time.  So they kept the website for promotional purposes.  Michael had all but forgotten it existed.


“Yes, Daddy.  It will be a great way to get more out of our other store too.”  Long ago Michael opened a small store in Philadelphia which was turning a small but steady profit.


Michael sat down on the futon.  He knew he stood little chance against his daughter and Brian.


“Okay, tell me how this will work.”


About an hour later, Brian and JR had Michael convinced.


“Can I do this by myself?” Michael asked.


“Of course you can, Mikey!” Brian assured his friend. 


“Will you help me set it up?” Michael asked with puppy dogs eyes.


“Sure,” Brian said brightly.  “I have lots of experience promoting Michael Novotny online,” Brian said in a tone that had JR suspicious.  Michael snorted.


“Okay, I have the impression I don’t want to know what Uncle Brian means by that.  Dad, keep me in the loop.  I want to help too.”


“Of course we will, Honey Bun,” Michael teased.


“Oh Dad,” JR said with exasperation.  “Uncle Bri, let me know if there’s anything I can do from this end.”


“I will,” Brian assured her.  “Send me a copy of your inventory,” he quickly added.


“Okay.  I love you, Dad.”


“Love you too, Sweetheart.”


“Send my love to Ben.”


“I will.”


“Hey, what am I?  Chopped liver?” Brian griped.


“Love you too, Uncle Bri!”


“Backatcha, Kiddo,” said Brian just before he disconnected the call.  He then turned a grinning face toward his life-long friend.


 


*****


 


Molly and Shane arrived in Paris late in the afternoon.  Molly was in awe as they drove through the historic city to their quaint hotel.  Her nose was practically glued to the cab window as she took in the sights.


“He would have booked a longer stay,” Shane quietly stated as they drove to their hotel.  Molly knew the “he” Shane was referring to.


“I know he would have and in a heartbeat if I had asked but I couldn’t do that.  Brian does so much for his friends and family without thinking or asking for anything in return.  I don’t want to take advantage.”


“He wouldn’t look at it that way.”


“I realize that too and it’s for that reason he needs to be protected.  It wouldn’t be intentional however, if we didn’t keep ourselves in check, we could easily rationalize that to refuse Brian’s help would insult the man.”


“And we couldn’t have that now, could we,” Shane added, nodding with understanding.  It was true, Brian could be, at times, too generous for his own good.  Gus had similar qualities and hadn’t yet developed the savvy to guard himself.  “I think you give Brian little credit when it comes to catching an ulterior motive, intentional or not.”


“Maybe not but I refuse to be that person,” Molly emphatically stated.


“And the rest of the family?  All those cottages on your infamous lane or positions offered at Kinnetik?  And I hear tell, he had a hand setting up several businesses.”


“How do you know all this?” Molly asked as she narrowed her eyes at Shane.


“Research, my dear woman.  You don’t put your life’s work into someone else’s hands without thoroughly learning to whom those hands belong.”  Molly’s eyebrows surged upwards.  “Brian is fully aware that I made it my business to learn everything I could about Brian Kinney the businessman.  In fact he encouraged it.  One of the first things I did was give Pierre the same dossier.  Pierre is in a similar position.”


“But…” 


Shane stopped her with the raise of his hand.


“Again, Brian insisted.  I lost nothing when we merged other than worrying about making enough of a profit to stay afloat.  I have never regretted merging with Kinnetik and I don’t believe Pierre will either.  And how did this conversation become all twisted?”


“Just lucky, I guess.  And you’re right, Brian does what he does because he wants to, not because he’s been goaded or bamboozled.”


“Bamboozled?  Now there’s a word you don’t hear too often,” Shane said with a laugh.  “No, I don’t think Brian is capable of being bamboozled and I pity the fool who’d try.”  Shane grinned as Molly laughed.  “We’re here.  After we get you settled, let’s meet with the boys so we get all our ducks in a row.”  Molly nodded in agreement as she set her mind to the business at hand.


 


*****


 


Bree sat on the swing in the big backyard of the conjoined cottages.  She pushed listlessly with her feet when she thought about it, but mostly she just sat.  Her mind was going all kinds of crazy places, but she knew deep inside that most of them were impossible. 


Beau lay near the Wendy house watching.  He knew something was wrong, but had no idea what he could do to make it better.  He thought maybe just his presence would bring some comfort to the girl.


"Want a push?" Patrick asked as he came out of the sun porch.


"No!" Bree replied emphatically.


"Okay, okay," Patrick said quickly.  "I'll leave you alone."


"Sorry," Bree said shaking her head, "but a push isn't going to cut it."


"Want to talk about it?"


Bree shook her head and Patrick started to walk away.  "Wait," she said before he could take more than three steps.


"Change your mind?"


"Yes."


"Do you want a push on the swing now?"


"No, come sit with me," Bree said as she slid off the swing and headed for the Wendy house.


"Aren't we getting a little big for going in there?" Patrick asked as he followed her.


"I was going to sit on the porch."


"Okay, that sounds good," Patrick agreed as he dropped down beside her.


Beau came over to lie at their feet.  They couldn't help but ruffle his fur.  He groaned with pleasure.


"So, what's up?" Patrick asked.


"I wanted to go to Paris 'cause Gus got to go to Paris, and they wouldn't let me, and then they said I maybe could go later, but now Aunt Molly has gone to Paris too, and they said she could take Taylor, but they wouldn't take me.  And I'm really, really bummed!"


"No shit!"


"What?  You said shit."


"Yes, I did."


"But you never swear."


"I swear, but you don't hear me."


"Really?"


"Yes, really," Patrick said with a chuckle.


"Oh."  Bree frowned and thought about what he had just told her.  She thought she knew Patrick so well, but she didn't know that he sometimes swore.


"Hey, we all swear when things go wrong," he told her.


"Maybe," Bree replied still trying to figure this out.


"So, is Taylor in Paris with his mother?" Patrick asked trying to change the subject.


"No, she didn't take him.  She said she was going to be working and it didn't make sense to take him."


"Just like you."


"What?"


"Well, it didn't make sense for you to go to Paris when summer's almost over.  We have to get ready for school."


"There would have been time," Bree countered.


"Breeee...."


"All right, maybe you're right.  I just know that everybody else gets to do stuff and I don't."


"Are you kidding?" Patrick laughed.


"What?"


"You are so smart, but sometimes you're so dumb.  You got to go on a major shopping spree for the best clothes for school, and you've had a really good summer overall, and you can just about rule the damn world."


"Now you said damn."


"Yes I did," Patrick affirmed.


"Well damn," Bree responded.


"Bree!"  Bree just grinned at him until he shook his head and grinned back.  "What more do you want out of life when you've already got so much?"


"Paris," Bree said decisively. 


Patrick just shook his head again.  Sometimes girls were so exasperating, especially this one.  "You're impossible," he said.


"I know."


"And you don't intend to change, do you?"


Bree shook her head.  "Not likely," she said with a smile.  Beau raised his head and nudged Bree's hand.  She ran her fingers over his soft coat.  "You understand, don't ya, Beau?  Even if you are a boy."  Beau whined softly.


"Us guys need to stick together, Beau," Patrick told the big dog. 


Beau let out a little woof of agreement.


"Traitor," Bree said pulling her hand away.  Beau nudged it again and Bree gave him another pat.  "It's okay, I always have to fend for myself.  There just aren't enough girls on this lane."


"I think there are plenty of girls on this lane," Patrick declared.


"Like who?" Bree asked with a frown.


"Well there's you and Michelle..."


"Michelle and Cindy are hardly ever here anymore."


"Okay, there's Molly."


"Aunt Molly's not a girl anymore, and she's hardly here either."


"Okay, okay, I give up."


"I'm always right," Bree declared with a self-satisfied smirk.


"Yeah, you are, but that won't get you to Paris," Patrick said.  He regretted his statement as soon as it was out of his mouth and he saw the pain it brought to Bree's face.  He should have been pleased that he cheered her up for a while instead of reminding her of what had her bummed in the first place.  "Sorry," he said quickly.


"That was mean, but I was ... gloating, so I guess we're even."


"Still friends?" Patrick asked.


"Of course, you are my best friend in the whole world.  I couldn't have grown up without you."


Patrick's face broke into a broad smile.  "We are best friends, aren't we?"


"Always," Bree said as she laid her head on his shoulder.


Beau gave a woof of approval.


Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Gay Paree


 


Chapter 4


 


 


 “Hello!  Hello?” Debbie called out as she slowly entered the log cabin.


“Out here, Ma,” Michael replied.  “We’re in the back,” he added.


Debbie looked around as she leisurely walked through the cabin toward the backyard.  Since the cabin was built, it saw little use.  Hunter and his Dr. Nick would spend time here each Spring but they were the only ones who visited regularly, until now.


“Such a waste,” Debbie murmured to herself as she looked around.  “Seems like a sad place.  Maybe it’ll liven up now,” Deb said to herself as she walked out the patio doors.


“What’s that Ma?” Michael asked as he kissed his mother’s cheek.


“Nothing, just thinking out loud.”


“About what?” Michael asked as he led his mother to a chair.


“It’s just nice to see some life in this place,” Debbie said as she sat.  “How are you and Ben getting along?”  She smiled at her son then turned her head toward Ben.  He was busy typing away on his laptop.  “How’s he doing?” she asked, nodding her head toward Ben.


“Great.  He’s halfway through chapter two,” Michael proudly said with a broad grin.


“That’s wonderful!” Debbie crowed.


“Oh hi, Deb,” Ben said as he looked up from his laptop when he realized they had company.  “How are you?”


“Very well; thank you for asking,” Debbie replied as she tossed a dirty look to her son.  “At least someone around here has manners.”


“Sorry, Ma.”


“What can we do for you, Debbie?” Ben asked as he stood up, stretching the kinks out of his shoulders.


“Nothing, except join us for dinner.  I’m making lasagna.”


“Ma, you know Ben doesn’t eat beef.”  Debbie held up her hands to ward off the protesting.


“I’m using free range organic turkey and chicken and whole wheat pasta,” Debbie pointed out wagging a brightly red polished finger for emphasis.  “Dinner is at six.  Don’t be late.”


The boys nodded as Deb heard, “Yes, Ma.”  And an “Of course, Debbie.”


Satisfied with their response, Debbie stood up to go.  “I’ll see myself out.”


 


*****


 


“Did you convince them?” Carl asked his wife as she came through the door.


“Yup.  It wasn’t all that hard.”


“They’re probably looking forward to a home cooked meal,” Carl commented.


“I guess I better start it,” Deb said as she walked to the kitchen.  “The sauce will take some time.”


“Do you want help?” Carl volunteered.


“Thank you, Honey, but I can handle it.  I think I’ll make extra for the boys to take home and a tray for Brian, maybe a small tray for Rachel.”


Carl smiled as his wife mumbled and calculated.  He gave her a peck on the cheek then let her know he and Peter were going to the General Store for dessert.  They had freshly baked pies that sold out fast.


“Good idea,” Debbie agreed then started pulling out pots, pans, and lasagna trays.


 


*****


 


“You ready to do this, Sonny Boy?” a familiar voice drawled over the phone.


“I sure am, Pop,” came the reply in a similar drawl.


“Just stick to the plan and you’ll be fine.”


“I know, Pop, but I don’t want to let you down.”


“You never have before.  What makes you think you will now?”


“This is different, I’m doing this on my own.”


“No you’re not, Shane and Molly will be right there with you.  They’re both smart and have common sense.  Plus you have Ray.  I’ve read all the contracts he’s written; he’s brilliant.  Besides, Sonny Boy, I’m only a phone call away.  You can call me day or night.”


“Thanks, Pop.  I’ll remind you of that when I wake you up at three in the morning with a question.”


“Say goodbye, Gus.”


“Goodbye, Gus!”


 


*****


 


A distinguished man in his forties who could pass for younger, walked past a large glass enclosed conference room.  On the inside of the thick glass hung stylish ecru colored drapes.  The drapes were closed but one was able to make out the shadows of the men and women in the room.  The door was shut.


“What’s going on in there?” the man asked one of his co-workers who was sitting at her desk.


“Where have you been?”  The woman looked up.  The man gave her a blank stare that made her chuckle.  “I forgot, you’ve been on holiday.  There’s been talk of a merger.”


“Another one?  Pierre turned down a perfectly good offer earlier this year.  What makes you think he’ll go through with it this time?”


“Maybe he wasn’t ready last time.  Or maybe it wasn’t a legitimate offer.”


“Not a legitimate offer?  Chloe, don’t you know anything?  Max Jacobs is one of the most prominent businessmen on the continent.  Pierre was a fool not to take his offer,” the man sneered.


“If you’re so dissatisfied with your work here then why do you stay?  Go work for Jacobs.”


“Because it’s convenient.  Because the commissions are good.  Because I like…”


“Your co-workers?”


“The coffee.”


“Why are you always so bitter?” his co-worker said with disgust.


“Because a long time ago I could have had everything!  A ready-made family with a beautiful wife and a darling baby boy, living in a quaint home in the middle of an American city.”


“So what happened?”


“Nothing I care to discuss with you.  It’s time to get to work,” the man said with a sneer.  He strutted off to a small office at the other end of the floor.


 


*****


 


“How do like Paris?” Pierre asked Gus.


“It’s beautiful, but you already know that.  I wish we had more time to sightsee but if we can come to an agreement, we’ll be back to explore more of the city,” replied Gus. 


Ray nodded in agreement.  Then took over the conversation.  “As you can see,” Ray began as he handed the contract to Pierre.  “The Bellerose agency will retain full creative power, but with the backing of Kinnetik you’ll have the opportunity to take on more avant-garde projects,” Ray explained.


Pierre’s lawyer was reading his own copy of the unusual contract.  Every once in a while he’d lean toward Molly and they’d whisper back and forth in French.


“Is there a problem?” Gus asked.


“No,” Molly replied.  “Stéphane remarked that he had never seen a merger contract this generous.”


“Aye,” Shane piped up.  Until then he sat quietly observing the proceedings.  “I had the same thought when Brian approached me.”


“And what did you do?” Molly asked, translating for Stéphane.


“Research.  Lots and lots of research and made several overseas calls to Joseph Reilly of Perspectives.  He had only good things to say,” Shane explained.  Pierre and Stéphane nodded with understanding.


“If the Genderless campaign is an example of Kinnetik’s creativity and vision then I look forward to the partnership.  However, I would like to take another day to discuss this further with our associates.  Many of them don’t understand why we’re considering your proposal and yet turned down the deal with Max Jacobs.  He is better known in Europe compared to Kinnetik,” Pierre stated.


“We understand,” said Gus as he stood, signaling the end of their meeting.  Molly, Ray, and Shane stood as well.  “May we take this up again the day after tomorrow?  Will that give you enough time to speak with your associates?”


Pierre agreed.  They would meet again in two days.


Before Gus and party departed the conference room, Gus enquired about the gallery that was planning to showcase Justin Taylor.


“I will give you their card,” Pierre offered.  “They are a modest gallery just outside the city.  However, they are known for modern pieces as well as the avant-garde.”  Pierre gave Gus a knowing smile.  “Perhaps you will visit them tomorrow,” Pierre suggested.


“Perhaps we will,” said Gus as they all shook hands.


As Pierre and Stéphane walked their guests to the door, Stéphane whispered to Molly.


“The Justin Taylor show is a major coup for us.  In the past we’ve been able to secure small shows that featured only a few of his paintings.”


“That will change,” Molly promised.


“You mean when we join the Kinnetik family,” Stéphane said. 


Molly shook her head.  “I’ve enjoyed our meeting and the opportunity to practice my French.  I have good feelings about this association.  I appreciate Pierre’s loyalty to his employees.  He reminds me of Brian.  No matter what the outcome of our negotiations, I will recommend to Mr. Higgins that he use the Bellerose agency to promote Justin’s show.”


“You are able to do this?” Stéphane said with amazement. 


Molly smiled.  She leaned in closer to Stéphane’s ear.  “Yes, I am.  Justin’s my brother,” she confided as she shook hands with the stunned man then followed Gus and company out the conference room door.


As the Kinnetik party exited the office, a man stood up gaping at them from across the room.


“Kinney,” the man growled.


 


*****


 


Debbie wiped her brow as she filled the last tray of lasagna.  She had made four - one for her dinner with Michael tonight, one for Ben and Michael to take home with them, one for Rachel and George and the biggest one for the conjoined cottages.  She covered the last one with foil and sat down at the kitchen table. 


"Shit," she said out loud as she wiped her brow with a paper towel.  "I must be getting old."


She rolled her shoulders and stretched out her legs.  When had it got so hard to stand for a couple of hours and make her lasagna?  She sat for a moment to catch her breath.  Then she decided that she had earned a fucking bottle of beer.  She pushed herself up and went to the refrigerator.  She grabbed one of Carl's beers and twisted off the cap.  She returned to the table and dropped down into her chair.  She took a long pull from the bottle and let out a long, slow breath.


Just then the front door of the thatched cottage opened and Carl and Peter came in, each carrying a couple of pies.


"Hi, Hon, we thought since you were making the main course for everyone, we'd get dessert to go with it," Carl explained as they set the pies beside the lasagnas on the counter.  "Wow, you made four.  You've been busy."


"Yeah," Debbie said.  "What took you so long?"


"We had an ice cream cone and sat on the front porch of the general store," Peter told her.


"Bully for you," Debbie snapped.


"Hey, what was that for?" Carl asked.


"I could have used some help here."


"I asked if you wanted some help before we went."


"Yeah, I know, but I made four of the fucking things and I'm beat."


"Do you want us to deliver them for you?" Carl asked.


"No, I don't fucking want you to deliver them.  I made them and I want the credit!'


"You don't seriously believe they would think Peter and I made them, do you?"  He gave Debbie a quizzical look.  "Anyway, I'd make sure they all knew how hard you worked to make the lasagna," Carl said gently.


"Yeah, right," Debbie said not ready to be charitable about the whole thing.


"I would," Carl protested.


"And so would I," Peter chimed in.  He didn't like it when Debbie and Carl disagreed.


Debbie heaved a sigh.  "I know you would, both of you.  I'm just tired.  And I would like to deliver them myself, with your help, of course."


"Finish your beer.  I might just join you," Carl said.


"I'll get you a beer, Carl," Peter offered.


"Thanks, and grab a soda for yourself."


"But don't spoil your dinner.  We've got lots of lasagna to eat," Debbie said with a smile for the boy.


"I won't spoil my dinner, and I love your lasagna."


"You fucking better," Debbie said with a cackle.


Carl shook his head at his incorrigible wife.


 


*****


 


Sometime later when Debbie had rested and finished her beer, she, Carl and Peter made their way up the lane.  Debbie carried a small lasagna - small in comparison to the other huge ones she had made - and Carl carried the large one.  Peter carried three pies.  They passed the conjoined cottages and made their way to George and Rachel's.  Rachel welcomed them and thanked them profusely for the lasagna and pie.  She wanted them to stay for some tea or coffee, but they had their other delivery to make.  Debbie accepted the thanks with a big smile, pleased that her efforts were appreciated.


They made their way back to the conjoined cottages and rang the bell at the front door of Brian and Justin's.


"We could go right in," Carl advised.


"No we couldn't," Debbie replied.


"Why not?"


They heard the door handle turn.


"Trick or treat!" Debbie called.


The door opened. 


"It's not Halloween, Grandma Deb," Bree said with a laugh.


"It's not?  Am I early?" Debbie asked.


"By a couple of months," Bree laughed again.


"Who knew?"


"You knew, Grandma Deb.  You're silly."


"I guess I am sometimes."


"Hey, Squirt, aren't you going to ask our guests in?" Brian said to his daughter as he came up behind her.


"Grandma Deb thinks it's Halloween."


"I heard," Brian said raising the infamous Kinney eyebrow.  "To what do we owe the pleasure?"


"I brought you all a treat," Debbie said.


"Well, come in, we're always up for a treat," Brian said with a smirk.


"Or you're just ... up ... all the time," Debbie retorted as she swept past Brian and Bree.


"What did you bring us, Grandma Deb?" Bree asked.


"Dinner," Debbie said decisively.  "I made lasagna, and Carl and Peter picked up some pies from the general store.


"That sounds great," Justin said as he came in from the sun porch.  "I wasn't looking forward to cooking tonight."


"Well, sweetheart, you don't have to cook now," Debbie said giving Justin's cheek a little tweak.  "The lasagna needs about an hour in the oven."


"I love your lasagna, Grandma Deb," Bree said. 


"Me too," Peter chimed in.


"You all set for school?" Justin asked the young man.


"I guess so," Peter said with little enthusiasm.


"He is, and he's going to do great at school this year," Debbie said nodding toward her foster son.  "Aren't you?"


Peter shrugged.  They all looked at him.


"You have a lot of smart people living on this lane," Brian began.  "If you need help with anything, all you have to do is ask."


Justin nodded in agreement.  "I know John and Bobby would be happy to help too."


Peter's eyes filled up and he fought back tears.  "Thanks," he said, "thanks a lot for the offer.  I really appreciate it."


"But it's not really about the difficulty of your school subjects, is it?" Bree asked.


Peter looked at her, and then shook his head.


"I know it's hard to fit in and make friends," Bree said gently.


"How would you know that?" Peter demanded.  Bree was a very popular girl.  "You have tons of friends.  Everybody likes you."


"I don't have tons of friends," Bree informed him.  "I have lots of acquaintances, but I only have a couple of real friends.  That's all you need."


"I ... I don't have any friends," Peter whispered.


"Yes you do.  You've got me and Patrick," Bree stated.


"Really?"


"Really," Bree said.  "Want to give me a push on the swing?" she asked with a coy smile.


"Sure, if you want..."


"Let's go," Bree said and started into the sun porch.  Peter glanced around and then followed her.


"You've got quite a girl there," Debbie said wiping at her eyes.


"Yeah, we do," Justin said and Brian just nodded, a little choked up himself.


 


*****


 


Debbie dished up the lasagna to everyone at her table.


"Thanks, Ma," Michael said as he took his plate.  "Smells great."


"Thanks for making this without beef," Ben said as he received his plate.


"Not a problem.  Hope you like it," Debbie said.  "Peter, pass the garlic bread.  And everyone help yourself to salad."


"This is delicious, Debbie," Ben told her.  Everyone else nodded in approval.


"Thanks for inviting us, Ma."


"I want you boys to enjoy your time here.  Summer's almost over," Debbie said.  "Do you have to go back to university soon, Ben?"


"Nope.  I'm on sabbatical until Christmas."


"Oh, so you'll have plenty of time to write."


"I'm hoping to finish the book by Thanksgiving," Ben explained.  "Then there are rewrites and other revisions to be done."


"Sounds like a long process," Michael said with a frown.


"So, what are you going to do, Michael?  About staying here or in Pittsburgh?" Debbie asked.  She held her breath hoping that her son would make the right decision.


"I've been thinking about that.  I haven't told Ben yet, but..."


Ben stared at his husband.  "Do you intend to tell me you're going back to Pittsburgh?"


"That's not what I was about to say."


"Really?" Ben asked hoping against hope that Michael was telling the truth.


"I'd like to stay with you, and maybe go into Pittsburgh once a week.  Maybe stay for a day or two and make sure everything's okay at the store.  Then I'd come back."


"That sounds perfect," Ben said leaning over to kiss Michael's temple.


"Glad you think so," Michael replied with a radiant smile.


"That's a great decision," Debbie added.  "Isn't it, Carl?"


"Sounds good," Carl agreed, mumbling around his mouthful of lasagna.


"Are you ready for school?" Ben asked Peter.


"Why does everybody keep asking that?"


"Maybe because we care," Ben stated.


"I'm as ready as I'm going to be."


"I can help you with any subjects that might give you trouble."


"Me too," Michael volunteered.


"I don't think there's a comic book class," Peter retorted.


"I know about more than just comics."


"Like what?"


"Brian has helped me start an online comic business.  I've gotten some orders already."


"I know about computers and websites," Peter said.


"So does Brian."


"Michael, Peter's offering help, and Brian won't always be available," Ben explained.


"Well, maybe, but..."


"No buts, Michael," Ben cut him off.  "That's very nice of you, Peter, and my offer stands."


"Thanks," Peter replied eyeing Michael suspiciously.  He knew Michael didn't really like him, and the feeling was mutual. 


"Tell them what Bree told you today," Debbie said hoping to ease the tension.


"That's private," Peter said.  "I've finished my lasagna.  May I be excused."


"Don't you want pie?" Debbie asked.


"Maybe I'll have some later," Peter said as he stood up, picked up his plate to drop in the kitchen sink, and went to his room.


"Good one, Michael," Debbie said.


"What did I do?"

 

Everyone left at the table just shook their heads.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Gay Paree


 


Chapter 5


 


 


"Patrick," Bree called as she made her way into the Anderson-Morrison side of the cottages.  There was no answer.  Bree frowned.  She was sure Patrick was home, but maybe he had gone out with one of his fathers.


"Patrick," she called again just to be sure.


"He's outside somewhere," John informed her as he came out of his bedroom.  "I gave him the day off."


"He's probably practicing his pitching," Bree replied.


"I think he mentioned something about the Thinking Rock."


"Oh, is something wrong?" Bree asked with a frown.


"I don't think so, but sometimes he likes to be on his own."


"I wanted to talk to him," Bree said.  "Do you think he would mind if I went to the Thinking Rock with him?"


"There's only one way to find out," John said softly.


"Thanks, Uncle John."


Bree left the cottages and headed down the path to the Thinking Rock.  As she came out of the trees into the clearing, she saw Patrick lying on the big rock looking up at the clouds.  Beau laid beside the rock.  The big dog raised his head when he saw Bree.


Bree hesitated.  She never liked to interrupt when someone was thinking.  This was the special place for that.


"It's okay, Bree," Patrick said.  "You can join me."


Bree giggled.  "How did you know I was there?"


"Beau raised his head.  He's been snoring for the last half hour, so I knew someone was there.  You're the only one who really respects this space."


"No I'm not," Bree said as she hoisted herself onto the rock beside Patrick.


Patrick decided not to argue.  "So, what do you want?"


"I wanted to talk to you about Peter."


"What now?" Patrick asked with a sigh.


"He's really worried about going back to school."


"I know."


"Has he talked to you about it?" Bree asked.


"No, but I see how he is.  He wants to have friends and get along, but he just doesn't know how to do it," Patrick explained.


"He can't seem to talk to anybody ‘cept for Jacqueline and she’s sooo old.  It's like pulling teeth," Bree said.  Patrick wanted to giggle at what Bree said but he knew it would get him into trouble.


"I know," was the safest answer.


"Is there anything we can do to help him?"


"Not really."


"There must be something," Bree persisted.


Patrick sighed again.  "If he would just relax and be himself, he'd make friends.  He's so uptight and silent.  Nobody gets to know him as a result."


"Maybe we can spend more time with him at school."


"You mean I can spend more time with him," Patrick stated.


"Well, he's more your age than mine, and you're a boy and I'm a girl."


"That may be true, but Peter doesn't have much in common with me."


"You mean baseball?" Bree asked.


"He still has a lot to learn about baseball and ... everything else," Patrick sighed.


"Maybe you could just talk to him."


"I ... I think he ... likes me," Patrick said hesitantly.


"Of course he likes you.  Everybody likes you," Bree declared.


"Not like that."


"Like what?" Bree asked with a frown.  "Oh, like that!"


"Yes, like that."


"But you don't like him like that, do you?"


"No, I do not!  I've made that clear to him ... without actually saying it," Patrick admitted.


"What if you told him - point blank?  You know, clear the air."


"It's kind of hard to do that when I'm not sure Peter wants to admit he might be gay."


"But ... wouldn't it be better to get it all out in the open?  I mean, Grandma Deb takes him to the center sometimes."


"Probably," Patrick said grudgingly.  "But if he's not ready to admit it, he will really clam up.  He'll be really mad at me for bringing it up."


"And that would be so different, how?"  Bree snarked.


"You drive a hard bargain like your Dada," Patrick said with a grin.


"I know," Bree grinned, pleased with herself.  "So, will you talk to him?"


Patrick just looked at her and didn't answer.


 


*****


 


Patrick knocked on the door of the thatched cottage.


"Hey, Patrick, what can I do for you?" Debbie asked.


"Is Peter around?"


"Yeah, he's in his room."


"Could he come out and play?" Patrick asked with a silly grin.


Debbie cackled.  "Come in and I'll ask him."  She turned and yelled, "Peter, get your ass out here."


Peter quickly appeared.  "What's wrong, Debbie?" he asked.


"You have a guest."  Debbie indicated Patrick who stood just inside the door.


"What are you doing here?" Peter asked looking at Patrick.


"I wondered if you'd like to come out ... and go for a walk ... or something?" Patrick asked.  He was beginning to wonder what the hell had possessed him to do this.  He was going to kill Bree later.


"I thought you wanted him to come out and play," Debbie said with a twinkle in her eye.


"That was just a joke," Patrick said blushing.  He realized how juvenile that sounded.


"Well, whatever it was, the two of you can get out of my hair.  I have things to do," Debbie declared.  "Shoo!"  She pushed them toward the door.


As the two boys stepped outside, Patrick turned to Peter.  "We don't have to do this if you don't want to," Patrick said.


"I'm sure I could decide if I want to do this, if only I knew what this is," Peter said staring into Patrick's eyes.


Patrick blinked and looked away.  He gave a half-hearted chuckle.  "It was Bree's idea."


"That doesn't surprise me, but what was Bree's idea?"


"That I should talk to you."


"What the fuck for?" Peter demanded.


"I told her it was pointless."


"You think I'm not worth talking to?" Peter said raising his voice.  "That's what I always thought.  You and Bree think I'm useless, a ... waste."


"That's not true," Patrick protested.  “You had a lot to talk about with my Dad and Jacqueline,” Patrick grumbled.


"Just go away and leave me alone," Peter said turning back toward the house.


"Peter, wait."


"What for?"


"If I thought you were a waste, I wouldn't have come here at all."


"Then why did you?"


"Bree thought we should talk.  We could maybe be friends if we got a few things straight," Patrick said with special emphasis on the last word.


"So, you figured out that I'm probably gay.  Good for you."


"I know you kind of ... liked me, when you first came here, but I'm definitely not gay."


"Are you sure?  Everybody else on this lane is," Peter informed him.


Patrick laughed.  "You do have a point."  He started walking up the lane.  He was pleased that Peter came with him.


"Um, how can you be so sure that you're not gay?" Peter asked.


"I just know.  I don't have those kind of feelings."


"You're sure?"


"Very."


"What do your dads think about that?"


"They're fine with it."


Peter shook his head.  "My dad was never fine with anything I did.  It was never right or never good enough."


"That must have been really hard."


"It was."


"Is that why you hardly ever talk?"


Peter thought for a moment.  "Yeah, that's part of it.  When you always hear how you could do better or you should have acted some other way, you just stop trying to please anyone."


"And you keep everything to yourself."


"Yeah," Peter agreed.  "It's easier that way."


"Is it?"


"What do you mean?"


"You don't seem very happy, and I doubt you're looking forward to school."


Peter nodded in agreement.  "I feel like running."


"Don't do that," Patrick said gently.


"Why not?  Nobody will care."


"Are you shitting me?" Patrick asked.  "Sorry, that was Uncle Brian talking," he giggled.  "Everybody on this lane is here to help you.  You've heard the offers.  They all care about you, Peter.  And most of all, if you ran away, Debbie would be devastated."


Peter looked at the ground.  "Yeah, I don't want to hurt Debbie.  She’s got a lot of faith in me, whatever that means," Peter mumbled still looking at the ground.


"Then don't."


"I'm sick of being miserable and ... dreading everything."


"Then don't."


"But how?"


"Do you realize how long we've been talking?" Patrick asked.  They had been walking the whole time and had just arrived at the Thinking Rock.  "You've said more in the last few minutes than in the whole time you've been on the lane."


"Do you think I'm turning into a chatterbox?" Peter asked with a shy grin.


"I wouldn't go that far."


Peter laughed.  "Maybe not, but, you know somethin’, I feel a little bit better."


"Talking does have its value."


"Do you think we could talk some more in the future?"


"Definitely," Patrick declared.  "Anytime you want to."


"Do you really know what you want to be when you finish school?" Peter asked as they both climbed onto the Thinking Rock.


"Pretty sure; I’ve always had the idea of working with my dad.  You were an intern just like me."


"Doing what exactly?"


"I'll tell you if you tell me," Patrick said with a smile.


Peter nodded.  Maybe talking was a good thing.


 


*****


 


The next day the Kinnetik contingent met for a quiet breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant. They requested and were shown to a secluded table at the far end of the restaurant.  Molly was in heaven with the variety of French pastries and rich coffee.  They began to strategize their next moves.


“Do you think Mr. Bellerose will go through with the merger?” Molly asked as she nibbled on a Pain au Chocolat.  “Mmm.”  Molly hummed to herself as the flaky pastry with the dark chocolate in the center melted in her mouth.  She glanced up only to see the boys give her a knowing smile.


“We’ve only been here for a few days; I think I’ve gained ten pounds,” Ray mentioned.


“It’s not stopping you from eating that Palmier,” Gus snarked.


“You should talk,” Ray said as he narrowed his eyes at the croissant in Gus’ hand.


“Gentlemen,” Shane quietly admonished the naughty boys who promptly went back to stuffing their faces.  “I’m sure Pierre will join our little family when he’s ready.”


“Do you think that shit with Max Jacobs put him off?” Gus asked around his croissant.


“I’m sure that has something to do with it; he’s just being cautious.  Once he’s talked it over with his staff, answered all their questions, and put their minds at ease.  He’ll come around,” Shane assured them.


“I hope so,” Gus murmured as he gazed out the window but not really seeing anything.


“What is it Gus?” Molly asked with concern as she reached out to touch his arm.


“You know it’s a good offer,” Ray added.  “Why are you worried?”


“I know it is; you did a great job on the contract.  Dad thinks it’s brilliant.”


“Then why the long face, laddie?” Shane asked.


“Because I’m responsible for this deal.  I don’t want to fail.  I don’t want to let my dad down.”


“Oh, laddie, from what I know of your da, you could never let him down.  You just do the best job that you can do; that’s all he wants,” Shane reassured the aspiring entrepreneur.  “Now eat up and we’ll take a nice long stroll near the river to work off some of these calories,” said Shane as he patted his stomach.  Everyone chuckled and agreed.


“I bet by the time we come back to the hotel, Mr. Bellerose will call,” Molly predicted.  Ray and Shane nodded in agreement.


Gus was feeling a little more confident as he asked for the check.  When he pulled out his wallet, the business card that Pierre had given him fell out onto the table.  Gus picked it up then smirked.


“I know that look,” said Ray.  “You want to scope out the gallery,” he stated as an observation not a question.


Shane eyed Gus suspiciously.  “What’s going on in that head of yours, laddie?”


“Nothing…or maybe something.  Let’s go to the gallery.  We can work off our calories there.”


They caught a taxi just as they left the restaurant.


 


*****


 


“So, ladies and gentlemen, as you can see we lose nothing but gain an influx of funds and talent.  Plus they have an exchange program,” Pierre said then explained the exchange program.


Pierre had gathered together a select group of people that had been with him from the beginning to discuss the Kinnetik offer.  They were all friends not just colleagues.  He valued their opinion and would do nothing without their approval.  Pierre passed around copies of the proposal then called a short coffee break to give everyone time to read it.  After some time everyone settled down.


“What do you think?” Pierre asked.


“I don’t think Pittsburgh would tempt me,” his administrative assistant said making everyone laugh.  “However, Los Angeles and New York City…I may never want to return!”  The room broke out into hearty laughter as Pierre pretended to scowl and shake a finger at the woman.


“I think this is too good to be true,” the CFO spoke up.  Light laughter again made its way around the table.


“I thought so too until I read through the dossier Shane McKenna gave me.  He was where we are today.  When he merged with Kinnetik several years ago, he said it was one of the best business decisions he ever made.  Shane can’t say enough good things about it.”  His friends all nodded in agreement.  They all knew Shane and knew he wouldn’t have merged unless it was the best thing for his agency.


The room grew quiet as everyone became lost in their own thoughts.


“Genderless!”  Someone called out, breaking the silence.  Pierre nodded with a groan as he scrubbed his face with his hands.


“Shane would have never taken such a chance on a new product from a new company before joining forces with Kinnetik.  I don’t think I would have either,” Pierre admitted.  “And now look what has happened.  The shops are constantly selling out!  I know for a fact that the manufacturer has hired more people to keep up with the demand.”


“What started as an experiment has blossomed into a multi-million dollar success for all involved,” Pierre added.


“Do you think we’ll have opportunities like that?” someone asked.


“I don’t really know.  We’ve been together for a very long time, my friends.  I hate to think we’ve become ordinary, stuck in the mud, as they say.”


“We have hired many young ones,” his assistant, Charlotte, pointed out.  Pierre smiled at her.


“Yes we have.  However how many stay?  Have we embraced their ideas or smothered them with ours?”  The room became silent again.  “I was seriously thinking of retiring.  I was looking forward to spending more time at home with my wife and children until she pointed out to me how miserable I would eventually become.  She also pointed out that while it would be nice to see more of me, no one is home during the day.  I would become bored with my life and end up doing something stupid to make her angry!”


Pierre laughed as did his friends.  They all knew Pierre’s wife who was a formidable woman in her own right.


“So, I say we take the deal, if only to save Pierre’s marriage!” Stéphane deadpanned.  Everyone cheered as they all agreed.  “When will you tell them?” Stéphane asked as Pierre’s associates left the conference room with strict instructions not to discuss the plans.


“We have an appointment for tomorrow,” Pierre remarked when they were alone.


“Are you sure you want to wait?” Stéphane asked.


“Yes, I’m a patient man, and if the young Kinney lives up to his father’s reputation, he will wait as well.  But we must be prepared for anything,” Pierre warned.


Stéphane nodded as he too left the conference to go back to his own office.  He looked back at his old friend with a smile.  It has been a long time since he saw the passion in his friend’s eyes.  ‘This merger would be good for us in more ways than one,’ Stéphane thought to himself.


 


*****


 


“What are you up to Kinney?” Ray murmured to Gus as they entered the quaint art gallery.


 It was like walking into an antique store.  All of the paintings and sculptures were displayed in little “rooms” of their own.  The larger pieces were attached to moveable walls fashioned together to create individual home-like atmospheres.  Large sculptures were on pedestals.  Smaller pieces were set on small tables as were paintings on their own miniature easels.     


“This is amazing,” said Molly with awe.


“Aye,” agreed Shane.


“I wonder where they intend to show Justin’s stuff.  Some of his pieces can take up an entire wall,” Gus mumbled to himself as he walked around the gallery.


An attractive woman wearing a classic Chanel suit, her hair done up in a chignon, walked up to Gus who was deep in thought.  "Puis-je vous aider monsieur?" 


Startled out of his thoughts, Gus jumped.  “I’m sorry I don’t speak French,” Gus said as he gestured for Molly to join them.  “I think she wanted to know if I need help,” he said to Molly.


Molly smiled prettily at the woman then asked if it was all right to look around.  Molly complimented the unusual way the art work was displayed.  Pleased to converse with someone with an excellent grasp of the language, the woman was about to lead Molly around the gallery. 


“Do you want me to mention Justin?” Molly quickly asked Gus as cryptically as she could before walking away.  Gus shook his head, no.  


Alone again with his thoughts, Gus moved slowly about the gallery.  For the life of him he couldn’t figure out how a Justin Taylor exhibition would fit in such a gallery.  As he continued to explore Gus came across a small set of steps that led to a huge empty room.  The walls were painted a stark white that almost blinded him.  Gus stared at the blank walls.


“Laddie, where you be hidin’ yourself?” Shane called out.


“Here!” 


Shane followed the voice down the steps.  “Faith and begorrah!” Shane exclaimed.  “Are you tryin’ to blind me, boy?”  Gus couldn’t help but laugh out loud at Shane’s exaggerations.  That was one of things Gus loved about the man.


“Do you see it?” Gus softly asked.


“See what, lad?”


“Justin’s exhibition.”


“What I’m seein’ is an empty room that’s giving me the willies.”


Gus gave Shane a double take then shook his head.


“What are you seeing?” Shane asked as he gently draped an arm across Gus’ shoulders.


“I see these three walls draped in some sort of richly dyed heavy fabric.  Justin’s larger pieces hung on that wall like puzzle pieces with his smaller pieces in the gaps but with a wide space in between.  Then I see those rooms like they have out in the main gallery, some modern for Justin’s contemporary work.  The others done up in the period of each Old Master hung there.”


“And what do you have in mind for that space in middle?”


“His nudes.  As many as we can fit.  Cram them together if need be,” Gus explained with excitement.


“Don’t you think it’s a bit busy?”


“That’s what the smaller rooms are for.  They should have chairs so one can sit to contemplate the work in that particular room without the distraction of the surrounding bigger pieces.  Don’t you see it?”


“I’m not sure but I have no doubt that you see it,” Shane said, giving a pat to Gus’ back.  “Come along now before the owners call the Sûreté on us,” Shane advised.  Gus followed quietly.


“Shane, the Bellerose can do this,” Gus said with enthusiasm.


“Are you sure about this?  Pierre hasn’t done anything like this in a very long time.  All of Paris will want to be a part of this.  This gallery is lovely but can they handle something this large scale?”


“Exclusive showings for the hoity-toity and tickets, but priced right, for everyday folk.  What good is a show if only the elite can see it?  Justin has a catalog filled with moderately priced floral scenes.  He doesn’t mass produce anything but he has many studies of the same flower.  My Mom can send us his updated catalog.”


“You have this all worked out in your head, don’t you, lad?”  Gus nodded.  “And you’re prepared to give this all to Pierre whether he signs or not?”


“Yes.  Even if he doesn’t become an official part of Kinnetik, he will be an arm of Isles here in Paris.  Pierre seems like an honorable man.  He’ll want to reciprocate; you’ll be his extension in London.”


“You’re very sure about this,” Shane stated.


“I am.  See if the manager or owner is available, I’d like to talk to him.”


“Now?!”


“Yes, now and I need Molly to help translate and I need my tablet.  I want to draw this out while it’s fresh in my mind.”  Gus’ hands were twitching, ready to go to work.


Within the hour Gus hand the promotion all laid out and a tentative contract for the Bellerose agency.  The gallery owner was beaming as was the lovely lady who had first approached Gus.  As it turned out she too was a partner in the business.  It was her idea to display the art in such a unique way. 


With handshakes all around to seal the deal, the Kinnetik people left the gallery.


“Come on, guys, I’m hungry,” Gus announced.  “Let’s find some place to get lunch!” Gus said with a bright smile.  He grabbed Ray’s hand as they quickly searched the local streets for a café.


“His little grey cells need to be recharged,” Shane whispered to Molly.  She and Shane giggled as they sprinted to catch up to Gus and Ray.


 


*****


 


“Hello, I represent the Bellerose agency, I’d like to speak with Mr. Simone to discuss a Justin Taylor exhibit,” said the man, pad and pencil in hand ready to jot down notes.


“Oh yes, did we forget anything?  I’m sure the matter has all been settled,” the voice on the other end of the line stated.


The caller was momentarily stunned but recovered quickly.  “Oh thank you for letting me know, we’re so pleased to hear that.”


“Mr. Kinney was delightful and so thorough.  I’m sure we’ll have a long and profitable alliance.”


“I’m sure you will.  Thank you.  Good day.”


“Good day to you too.” 


As the connection to the gallery was broken, the man snapped the pencil in his hand as he cursed.

 

“Damn you, Kinney.”

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Gay Paree


 


Chapter 6


 


 


 


“Why did you lie to my mother?” Michael asked Ben as they were getting ready for bed.  He stood in the middle of their bedroom with his arms crossed over his chest and glaring at Ben.


“What?  I’d never lie to your mother!”


“You did at dinner,” Michael accused.


“What did I say?” Ben asked, totally baffled.


“You told Ma that your sabbatical ends in December.  You told me that you took off a year.  Which is it?”


“I didn’t lie.  I got a call from Dean Cartwright today.  She wanted to know how far along I am in my book.  I told her I had made significant progress.”


“Why does she care about how much progress you’ve made?”


“Because one of us in my department being unavailable to teach this semester isn’t a big deal, the Dean can rearrange the schedules to cover all the classes.”


“Yeah, so?”


“Unfortunately it’s not just one of us that’s going to be out.  Carmichael broke a leg jet-skiing this summer and suffered a concussion.  It’s a bad break; he’ll need a lot of therapy before he’s able to come back to the university.   And before the Spring semester ended we learned that Amy’s pregnant.”


“What’s the big deal, women get pregnant all the time,” Michael huffed.


“Amy’s a mature mom to be. She started having trouble a month ago so her doctor recommended that she stay off her feet.  She won’t be back until next year.  That’s why the Dean called; she asked if I would consider coming back early.”


“And are you?  I thought you wanted this time off to stay on the lane,” Michael said, finding it hard keeping the sarcasm out of his voice.  He wouldn’t mind going back home early.  Michael liked the cabin; John had built it just like Michael wanted.  But he missed his neighbors, he missed socializing with other same sex couples who understood what a “real” marriage was about.


 “I still do,” said Ben; he was disappointed.  “But it wouldn’t be right to leave the Dean stranded this way.  If I cover my own classes plus a couple of Amy’s, the Dean can find enough adjunct professors and T.A.’s to cover the rest.”


“Oh.  So are you going to do it?”


“I don’t think I have a choice.  It’ll be a rough semester but if Carmichael and Amy return in the Spring then I can take off again.  Do you think you can stand to have me at home with you in Pittsburgh for a few months?” Ben asked with a coy smile.  He flirted shamelessly with his husband. 


It took a minute for Michael to process all the implications.  When he did he broke out into a broad smile.


“Yeah, I think so,” Michael playfully said.  All his anger drifted away as he walked into Ben’s arms.  “I’m sorry I accused you of lying.”


“I feel like I lied to myself.  Although I did make a lot of progress, but I’m disappointed that we have to leave here.  I really wanted to be away from the city for a while.”


“Maybe we can come out here on the weekends,” Michael suggested.  He could deal with being away for a few weekends.


“That’s a great idea!” Ben crowed.  “I won’t have any Friday classes; we could leave Thursday after my last class then stay until Sunday afternoon.  I can bring whatever papers or exams with me and still have time for my book!  Yes, I think it will work.  JR will still be in charge of the store when we’re gone.”  Ben beamed at the thought.  Michael was happy too.  And when Michael was happy, all was right in Ben’s world. 


“Besides, maybe it’s better to be up here in the warmer weather.  Remember that huge blizzard.  I felt like we’d never get out of the snow.”


“Yeah, you’re right.  I have to admit, that was a little scary and a bit claustrophobic,” Ben admitted. 


Michael nodded in agreement.  “Come on, let’s go to bed.  We’re going to need all our energy tomorrow to pack up and shut down the cabin,” Michael stated reasonably.


“Good idea.  We should let the guys know too,” Ben said as he turned down the bed then slipped himself under the covers.


As the boys snuggled closer, Michael turned towards Ben, settling himself under Ben’s arm.


“So how is your book coming?  Are you really almost finished?” Michael asked.


“The first several chapters are finished; my editor has them. She likes the way the story is taking shape.  Our story is easy to write; same with your mom and Carl.  Emmett’s an open book!  He’s fun to write about; he’s so out there.”


“That’s for sure.”


 “I’m being a little conservative with Drew and the girls.”


“Why?  What makes them so special?”


“A number of things such as career and the children.”


“Oh.”


“And then there’s Todd and Tom.”


“I bet the church is still angry with Tom,” said Michael a little smugly.  “He should have never left the church.”


“Michael! That’s like saying you should have never come out.  Besides, it’s a little too late for that.  And he’s still with the church.  Just a different one.” 


Michael snorted but left it alone.  “So what’s Todd’s problem?”


“No problem, it’s just he’s not that backroom bottom boy anymore.  And there’s no reason to emphasize the issue.  He’s a respected businessman; he’s moved on.”


“But he doesn’t care if I say 'Hey, Todd, how’s it going?' when I see him.  And he always answers, “Fine.”


“That doesn’t mean he likes it, Michael.”


“So why does he answer, fine, all the time?”


“Habit, plain and simple.”


“Brian says it to Todd all the time.”


“Brian’s different; there’s no malice intended.  Todd knows it,” Ben stated wisely then added, “Brian sees Todd as a kindred spirit.”


“Brian’s no bottom boy!  Never was and never will be,” Michael spat back.


“I’m not saying he was or is,” Ben replied gently.  “But you have to admit Brian spent just as much time in the backroom as Todd, maybe even more.  And then there were the baths.  Brian’s moved beyond that and so has Todd.  This book is about growth, love, and acceptance.  It’s not a tabloid exposé.”


“Well, Brian wouldn’t care, I bet he’d be proud of it.  Probably wants you to go into detail about how many guys he fucked.”


“No, Michael, he wouldn’t.  I’ve already discussed this with him.  He won’t lie about his past reputation but he’s not going to flaunt it either.  It was a very long time ago.  It’s done, over, that chapter in Brian’s life is finished.   Michael, Brian’s been a true friend to me.  We’ve become very close over the years; I won’t betray his trust.”  


“He’s my best friend.  I know him better than anybody,” Michael protested.


“You know the old Brian, the Brian that didn’t give a shit about anyone or anything except for making lots of money and fucking anyone that measured up to his standards.”


“A lot you know,” Michael grumbled as he flipped himself over.


‘Yes, a lot I do know,’ Ben thought to himself.  ‘I know a hell of a lot more than you, it seems.’


Ben rolled the opposite way then closed his eyes.


 


*****


 


“Patrick,” Bree whispered as she gently knocked on his bedroom door.  She carefully opened the door just a crack to call out his name again.


“What's wrong?” Patrick replied with a sleepy voice.


“Nothin’,” said Bree after a few moments of hesitation as she scuffed at the floor in her pink fuzzy slippers.  Grey bunny was in her arms.  Bree had gone to bed some time ago but woke feeling a little weird.  She wanted to be close to her Patrick like she did when she was younger.  Bree sometimes missed her Patrick, the Patrick that was all hers.


“You want to sleep in my bed tonight?” Patrick offered.  Bree nodded.  “I can’t hear you if you just nod your head,” said Patrick knowingly.


“Uh huh.”


“Then come in,” Patrick invited.


Bree quickly entered the room, leaving the door slightly open just in case her daddies or uncles came looking for her.  She kicked off her slippers then quietly crawled onto Patrick’s bed and under the blanket he held up for her.


“Okay now?” Patrick asked.  Bree nodded again.  “Good.  Do you want to tell me what’s wrong?” Patrick gently asked.  He felt Bree shrug her shoulders.  After a while Patrick said, “We start school soon; I’m a little worried.  The work is getting a lot harder.  Are you worried too?”  Bree nodded.  “It’ll be okay.  We can study together and our dads are really smart.  They’ll help us,” Patrick said with confidence.  Bree nodded again then snuggled close to her Patrick with grey bunny between them.  Patrick always knew what to say to make her feel better.


Patrick heard Bree sigh then he felt her relax.  Soon her breathing evened out and Patrick knew she was asleep.  He also knew they were getting too old to sleep in each other’s bed like when they were little kids.  But sometimes it felt good that Bree still needed him.  Then there were the times when Bree annoyed the shit out of him.  Patrick smirked, trying not to giggle out loud.  He was channeling his Uncle Brian again.  And then there were times when those violet blue eyes gazed at him like he was the center of her world.  He liked that feeling.  Bree’s his best friend; always was and always will be.


Patrick was just drifting off when Little Beau pushed open the door wide enough for him to enter the room.  The big dog sniffed the air then gently climbed up on the bed.  He sniffed the air again.  When he was satisfied that his two charges were safe, the young dog went to sleep at the foot of the bed.


Patrick smiled as he too fell asleep.


 


*****


 


“McKenna, what’s going on?” Pierre growled into the phone.


“I’m not quite sure to what you’d be referrin’ to,” Shane responded exaggerating his brogue.


“Don’t you use your Irish on me, Shane McKenna.  Consider this a courtesy call.  If we weren’t friends I’d be calling the Kinney’s and telling them they can take their deal and, and…”


“Whoa there, laddie!” Shane began then changed his tone and tactics.  “Pierre, we are friends, good friends, so why don’t you start from the beginning?”


Pierre informed his old friend that when one of his account agents called the Simone Gallery to arrange the PR for a Justin Taylor exhibit, he was told that everything was all set.  “And I quote, ‘Mr. Kinney was delightful and so thorough.  I’m sure we’ll have a long and profitable alliance.’ Unquote.  Shane, what the hell is going on?”  Pierre was so angry that he spoke rapidly, breaking into French.


“Pierre, why don’t you and your assistant meet us at the gallery?  It will be much easier to explain there,” Shane suggested.


“Very well, but I’m bringing my attorney!”


“You do that,” was all that Shane was able to say before he heard the phone slam.  Shane took a breath then called the boys and Molly, instructing them to meet him in the lobby right away.  Before he left his room, Shane made a few calls.


 


*****


 


“Are ya that angry with me that you deliberately had me wearing out the pavement waiting for your arrival?” Shane called out as a car finally pulled up, depositing Pierre and Stéphane in front of the gallery.  Shane held out his hand.  He was encouraged when Pierre took it and gave him a firm handshake.  “Now before you and your man here decide to sue the pants off us, come inside and listen to what Gus has to say.  He doesn’t know that you’re spitting bullets and I’d like to keep it that way.  The lad is bursting at the seams wanting to tell you his ideas.  So try to put on a happy face, will you?  For my sake, if for no other reason.”


Pierre nodded then plastered a phony smile onto his face.


“Delightful.  Now in you go,” Shane snarked as he opened the door for the gentlemen.


Familiar with the gallery’s layout and not seeing anyone, Pierre started for the office.  Shane redirected him and Stéphane toward the rear section of the gallery where a buzz of noise emanated.


“Mr. Bellerose, please join us,” Simone gushed as he extended his hand toward Pierre.  Again Pierre gave the hand a firm handshake.  “We’re so pleased that you’ve taken on our publicity for this very special exhibit!  And this young man...” Simone indicated Gus whose head kept bobbing up and down as he pointed to his tablet then at a wall.  “Brilliant, just brilliant!  So innovative and such enthusiasm.  Mr. Bellerose, we’ve been associated for many years, your work has never failed us but this is exceptional.  Come, come, see Gus’ ideas.” Mr. Simone nearly pulled the perplexed man toward Gus and his tablet.  Stéphane followed.


“What’s going on?” Ray asked, eying Shane suspiciously.  Molly stared at Pierre for a moment then at Shane.


“Let’s step out front and leave these fine folks to putter about,” Shane replied as he led Molly and Ray out toward the front of the main gallery where they wouldn’t be overheard.


“Spill,” Molly demanded when they were out of earshot.


“Apparently a little birdie at Bellerose caught wind of our goings on with Simone.  He misunderstood the arrangements, went straight to Pierre and blabbed.”


“Let me guess,” Ray began.  “Mr. Bellerose thought that Kinnetik was going to handle the PR for the show.”


“Correct, my boy.  Pierre called me with his knickers all in a twist.  I had a devil of a time trying to calm him down.  I convinced him to come here before making any judgments.”


 “You hope that Gus’ ideas will wow him enough so that he’d listen to us when we eventually explain the whole deal,” said Molly who caught on quickly.


“You win the cigar,” Shane teased.


“You took a big chance,” Ray stated.  “It might have been more prudent to just explain the plans we made on their behalf.”


“Maybe but Gus’ ambitious ideas don’t translate well over the phone.  It was better to lead the horse to the trough as they say.”


Before the conversation could continue, a very distinguished gentleman entered the gallery.


“Ah, a meeting of the minds, I see,” Charles Higgins quipped.  He gallantly greeted all then took Molly’s hand to his lips.


“Lindsay warned me about you,” Molly said with a smile.


“My reputation precedes me.  How is the dear woman?  I miss her dreadfully,” Charles exclaimed with his usual dramatic flair.  “And your father, has he fully recovered?”  Before Molly could reply, Shane cut in.


“We can postpone the pleasantries for another time.  I need you to get in there and make nice,” Shane instructed.


“I excel at making nice,” Charles boasted as he stood tall, readying himself for the challenge.  “The senior Kinney wouldn’t be among them, dare I hope.”  Shane shook his head.  “Oh, well, I’ll just have to make do with the younger Kinney,” Charles declared as he strolled toward the back.  Shane just shook his head.


“I thought he was straight,” Molly commented.  Ray narrowed his eyes at Shane.


“He is, but after seeing some of Justin’s renderings of Brian...”  Shane shrugged.  “Let’s just say that even on canvas, Brian has a way of bending straight men to the dark side.  And of course, meeting the man, in the flesh, so to speak…”  Shane shrugged his shoulders.


Ray and Molly both nodded, conceding the point then dutifully followed Shane toward the back room.  No pun intended.


“Remarkable, truly remarkable.  Why aren’t you working for me, dear boy?” Charles exclaimed as he studied Gus’ plans for the exhibit.  “May I make a suggestion?  Of course the purpose of the exhibit is to sell paintings but why not make some available for a silent auction.  The proceeds can go to local or world-wide charities.  I’m sure Justin would agree.”


“Yes, he would,” Gus concurred.  “Justin is always looking for ways to give back.  I’ll call him.  He may have a few unique pieces to donate.”


“By unique, may I infer there may be one or two nudes of perhaps your father?” Charles asked as he waggled his eyebrows suggestively.


“Mr. Higgins, this is a fine upstanding establishment.  Well respected in the neighborhood.  We’ll have none of your shenanigans here,” Shane admonished, trying to keep a straight face.  Duly chastised, Charles held up his hands in surrender.


“Pierre, are you and your attorney satisfied with the arrangements?” Shane asked.


“Yes, quite satisfied.  I apologize for the misunderstanding.  Guillaume is a trifle overzealous,” Pierre explained.  Everyone in the room understood.


“No, apologies necessary,” Gus stated as he extended his hand toward Pierre.  The men shook then turned back to Gus’ tablet.


“So tell me your ideas,” Pierre began.  Gus made his pitch as if he was vying for a career-making contract.  Pierre had to admit, Gus was very impressive.  However Pierre had to be sure before making his final decision.  “Is this what we may expect if we join your little family?” 


“I’m not sure what you mean?” replied Gus.


“Will one or more of you come into to my agency and take over?” Pierre wanted to know.


“Pierre, what are you talkin’ about?” Shane asked with a touch of anger in his voice.  Ray glared at Pierre.


“It’s all right, Shane.  Mr. Bellerose doesn’t know Kinnetik or how we work.  He’s entitled to ask whatever he wishes.  I’m happy to answer his questions,” Gus stated as he straightened to his full height. 


When Gus had first entered the room he made himself more comfortable, by removing his sport coat and rolling up his sleeves as he delved into his work. 


Sensing Pierre’s reservations, Gus slowly rolled his sleeves back down then reached for his jacket.  When Gus turned to face Pierre, Molly made a startled gasp.  It was as if she was back in Pittsburgh with Brian in full award winning, adman mode.  Gus exuded a confidence she hadn’t noticed before and it made her proud to witness it.


“Mr. Simone, may we use your office?  I’d like to fully explain our proposal to Mr. Bellerose,” Gus asked using a very professional tone.


“Of course, Mr. Kinney.  I’m sure you have much to discuss.  Please take your time.  Mr. Higgins has brought a wonderful catalog of Justin Taylor’s work.  We have plenty to occupy ourselves with,” Mr. Simone explained.


Gus nodded then gestured to Pierre who led the way out of the white room, back into the main gallery and to the office.


“Mr. Bellerose, I believe we may have given you the wrong impression.  If Kinnetik had planned on making a proposal to Mr. Simone, we could have done this months ago.  Mr. Higgins and Shane have been discussing the possibility of a major exhibit in Paris for some time.  However, knowing Justin so well we had to be certain of the venue.  Justin has had a grand opening at the National Gallery.  This time he was hoping for something more intimate.  Simone’s is made to order.”


“You seem to know a lot about Justin Taylor.”


“Before approaching a perspective client, we do our homework.  We research the client thoroughly.  However, with Justin we do have the home court advantage.”


“How so?” Pierre asked. 


Gus gave him an incredulous look then smiled.  “I’ve known Justin all my life.  He was there the night I was born.  Justin Taylor is my father’s partner or I should say, husband.  They were officially married in May,” Gus said proudly.  


“I was unaware of this.”


“We’re not hiding it; I’m sure it was in the dossier that Shane had given you under personal associations.  However, Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor try to maintain a certain amount of professional distance.  And yes, they have always been extremely supportive of each other’s careers, however Brian Kinney was well established in the advertising world years before he met Justin. 


“My father has asked for Justin’s opinion on several occasions but the final word on a campaign belongs to Brian Kinney.  He stands by his work and is rarely wrong.  My personal challenge is to attain at least half of his accomplishments.”


“From what I can see, you are very close to reaching your goal,” Pierre commented.  Gus acknowledged the comment with a nod.  “Answer me truthfully,” Pierre began, not wholly convinced.  “You were prepared to relinquish all your ideas for this exhibition to the Bellerose agency whether or not we joined Kinnetik.”


“Yes.”


“How can this be?  Kinnetik would be losing millions!”


“Money isn’t everything, especially when it concerns Justin Taylor.  I emailed my ideas to him; he fell in love with them and immediately had Lindsay Peterson, his agent, send an updated portfolio to Charles.  Justin approved of the approach.”


“And does Justin Taylor get all that he approves of?” 


Gus laughed; he had made Justin sound like a spoiled brat.  “Not always, my father is one of Justin’s grounding forces; Justin’s daughter is another.  And fortunately Justin has a lot of common sense.  But there are times where he can be as stubborn as my father.  Their arguments are legendary in Pittsburgh,” Gus laughed.     


“It’s true, Kinnetik would have lost a hefty commission but we’d gain so much more.  Justin Taylor will increase his presence in Europe making him very happy,” Gus added.


“And a happy Justin Taylor is a happy Brian Kinney?”


“You catch on quickly Mr. Bellerose.”


“I have been married for a very long time, and please call me Pierre.”


“Pierre, I apologize for seemingly going behind your back; it all happened very quickly.  We were going to present you with this proposal during our scheduled appointment.”


“Yes, it was only by chance that Guillaume found out.”


“He sounds like a loyal employee.”


“For the most part.  But enough about that.  Tell me more about Kinnetik.  Your father sounds like an interesting man.”


“Yes he is, to say the least.  What more can I tell you than what you already know.  He was the youngest and the most successful ad exec at Ryder’s before it was sold, and he made partner at Gardner Vance.  Then circumstances changed, life was about to take a drastic political change in our city.  Many people helped to turn the political tide including the “Concerned Citizens for the Truth".  He lost everything, opened his own agency and the rest you know.”   


“And his association with Justin?”


“That’s something you’d have to ask him and Justin about.”


“I see.”


“What I can tell you is they’ve been together for twenty-five years.  I’ve never known two people so different yet so much the same.”


“And you love them dearly,” Pierre said with a soft smile.


“Yes, I do,” said Gus, blushing.


“They sound like remarkable men.  I look forward to meeting them.”


“You will when the Bellerose agency presents the next Justin Taylor exhibition at Simone’s Gallery.”


“The Kinnetik Bellerose Agency,” Pierre suggested. 


Gus had a gleam in his eye then grabbed a piece of paper off the desk and a pencil.  He quickly made a sketch.


“I’m not a graphic artist but I think you’ll get the idea,” Gus said as he handed the paper to Pierre.  On it was a drawing of a large stylized rose surrounded by leaves and vines framing the words “Kinnetik Rose.”  Pierre studied the drawing.


“There are thorns on the vines,” Pierre observed.


“If everything in life were as smooth and soft as rose petals, it would be a very boring life,” Gus said with a knowing smile. 


Pierre laughed heartily as he extended his hand toward Gus.  Gus took it and gave Pierre a firm handshake, a handshake Bree would approve of.


“I look forward to a long and certainly not boring partnership with Kinnetik,” Pierre declared.

 

“So do I,” Gus affirmed.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Gay Paree


 


Chapter 7


 


 


 


Brian jammed the laundry into the washing machine and slammed the door on the front loader.


"What are you doing?" Justin asked from the doorway of the laundry room.


Brian jumped, not expecting anyone to know that he was washing sheets.  "What does it look like I'm doing?" he asked sarcastically.


"Whoa!" Justin said taking a step back.  He hadn't expected that reaction.  "You never do laundry unless there's something bothering you," he observed.


Brian glared at him.  He hated being predictable.  "I thought our sheets could use a good washing after last night's activities by my oh so horny husband," he said hoping to embarrass Justin into silence.


Justin blushed in spite of himself.  He had been pretty aggressive last night, but then they both were.  "You can't blame that all on me."


"I can if I want to," Brian said with a smirk.


"You are incorrigible."


"You've known that for years, and you're still here."


"And I'll still be here for years to come," Justin declared.


"I hope so," Brian said as he started the washer and reached out to pull Justin into his embrace.  He kissed his partner thoroughly.


"Did you make the bed?" Justin asked when Brian let him go.


"Not yet.  Why?"


"Too bad, I was thinking we could dirty some more sheets."


Brian chuckled in spite of his foul mood.  "You've been hanging around me too long."


"Never!"


"We can go make the bed and see what develops," Brian suggested.


"I'd like that," Justin said sincerely, "but first I want to know why you were doing laundry."


"I told you ... because the sheets needed washing."


"I know you only do laundry when you're stewing about something," Justin informed him.


"Is that right?"  Brian frowned as he realized that Justin was probably right.  Brian hated doing laundry.  That task usually fell to Justin.  He had never done laundry when he lived alone in the loft.


"You know it is, so what's going on?"


"Um..."


"Um isn't an answer."  Brian glowered at him.  "Is it Gus?" Justin asked.  "Are you worried that he won't be able to bring the Bellerose Agency into the fold?"


"I would be unhappy if we didn't do the merger, but I'm more worried about what a failure would do to Gus' self-confidence."


"Typical worried father," Justin said gently with a soft smile.  He rubbed Brian's arm in commiseration.  Then he brightened.  "But I think you're worrying for nothing, even if this is Gus' first major acquisition."


"That's what you think, huh?"


"Yep, because I know Gus is one smart and creative young man, just like his father.  Look at the ideas he sent us for my exhibition at the Simone Gallery."


"They were pretty damn good."


"They were spectacular!" Justin said enthusiastically.


"Yeah," Brian agreed with a happy smile on his face.


"Stop worrying," Justin commanded.  "Gus can handle whatever comes up, and he has Ray, Molly and Shane to help him."


"Yeah, you're right."


"Okay!  Now that we've got that settled, let's go break in some more sheets, and I'll even let you wash them afterwards."


"Thanks a bunch," Brian said as he quickly marched behind Justin toward their bedroom.


 


*****


 


The front door of the thatched cottage was flung open, and Michael marched in carrying his laptop.


"Ma!" he bellowed.  "Ma!"


"What the fuck is going on?" Debbie shouted as she came in from the back patio.  "You sound like a fucking foghorn."


"I've done something to my computer," Michael whined.


"And what the fuck do you expect me to do about it?" Debbie demanded.  She was fully ticked with Michael interrupting her little siesta on the back patio.


"I don't expect you to do anything," Michael declared.  "I want you to get Peter to help me."


"Well, that's a good one!" Debbie reacted.  "You never give him the time of day usually.  I thought the big man up the lane was your go-to computer whiz."


"Brian is, but I can't get a hold of him, and I need help."


"Then ask Peter yourself.  You don't need me."  Debbie started towards the patio again.


"Wait, Ma," Michael pleaded.  "He'll help me if you ask him, but I don't think he'll help if I ask."


"And why would that be, Michael?" Debbie asked her eyes narrowing as she stared at her son.


"I ... I guess I haven't been very welcoming since you took him in," Michael admitted.


"Damn right!"


"So, will you ask him ... for me?"


Debbie thought about it for a moment.  "No!  No, I won't."


"What?  Why not?"


"Michael, ever since Peter got here you’ve been running hot and cold with him; mostly cold and very rude to him every time you've been together.  It's time you made an overture.  You owe that boy an apology."


"An apology?  What for?"


"I just told you - for being rude and unwelcoming to him."


"Maaaa," Michael whined.


"You can ask Peter yourself or you can go back home.  Them's you're choices, sweetie," Debbie said sarcastically.  With a self-satisfied smirk on her face she went back out on the patio to resume her siesta.  She could hear Michael's plaintive whine of "Maaaa" as she sat down on the chaise.  "I'll be buggered if I'll give in to him this time." she muttered.  She leaned back, hoisted her legs up onto the chaise and closed her eyes.  It would be what it would be.


Michael stood just inside the front door of the thatched cottage wondering what had just happened.  Usually he could rely on his mother to do his bidding.  What had happened?  He didn't want to approach Peter by himself.  He knew he had been rude and mean to the kid, but he really didn't like Peter usurping Michael's place in his mother's life.  Michael liked things the way they had been before Peter Chang ever came along.


Michael sighed.  He'd try Brian one more time.  Maybe he'd get lucky and Brian would answer and fix the problem.  He pulled out his phone and hit the appropriate buttons.  It went directly to voicemail.


"Shit!" Michael muttered.


Now what was he going to do?  He really didn't want to have to ask Peter without support from his mother.  He frowned and considered his options - which were none.


"Peter," he called gently.  He realized that he didn't even know if Peter was there.  "Peter," he said a little louder.


"What do you want?" Peter asked as he came out of his bedroom.


"Um," Michael stumbled.  "I'm having trouble with my computer.  I ... um ... was wondering if you could help me with it?"


"I thought you made it clear you had Brian Kinney to help you.  You don't need me."  Peter turned to go back into his room.


"I can't get in touch with Brian," Michael admitted.


"Then I guess you'll just have to wait until he's available," Peter said smugly.


"But I could lose a big sale," Michael said trying not to whine.


"Too bad," Peter replied.  He wasn't prepared to show any sympathy since Michael never seemed to have any for him.


"Peter, I really could use your help.  I'm trying to improve my online business for the store.  I had this order for ten comics and I was trying to check inventory, and somehow I lost the message.  I don't know how to get in touch with the buyer.  I didn't want to screw this up."


Peter looked at Michael who really was quite forlorn about what he had done.  He supposed he could make an effort to be charitable and help this annoying man.


"Okay, let's have a look," Peter said grudgingly.


They went to the kitchen table and Michael opened the laptop and signed on.  Peter did a bit of exploring on the site and discovered that going from the email to the inventory of the store and back again wasn't as easy as it should be.  He made a new link on the inventory page.  Then he went back to the email page, set up a folder for purchases and went to Michael's trash bin.  There was the message in the trash.  He moved it to the purchase folder. 


He was tempted to merely tell Michael he had found the message and let the man fend for himself, but he decided he would try to explain.  He went over all the steps he had taken and explained the new link and folder he had set up.  He told Michael how to use them and let him practice a few times.  He also told Michael to always check the trash bin of his emails when something was missing.


"There, that should get you going," Peter said.


"That ... that was really helpful," Michael said closing his laptop.


"Good," Peter said not expecting a thank you.


"Peter, thanks," Michael said sincerely.


"You're welcome," Peter replied, and he meant it.


Debbie smiled to herself from her chaise.


 


*****


 


Brian opened his eyes and looked at the clock on the nightstand.  He must have dozed off.  Justin snored lightly beside him.  Brian couldn't help but smile.  Who would have thought that after all these years they could still burn up the sheets like they just had.


"You're smiling," Justin said as he opened his eyes.


"I thought you were asleep."


"I was."


"Then how did you know I was smiling?"


"I can feel when you look at me, and I always know what emotion goes along with that feeling."


"You're kidding."


"No, I mean it."


"Hmmph."


"You don't believe me?"


"I ... I guess I should, since this isn't the first time that you seem to know what's going on when I think you're asleep."


"Did you sleep?" Justin asked as he rolled over to look into Brian's eyes.


"Must have.  You wore me out."


"Impossible!" Justin said with a giggle.


Brian grinned.  He reached for his phone on the nightstand.  "Hm, it looks like Michael called about a million times."


"You better call him back."


"Naw, if I call, I'll have to explain why I didn't answer.  And I have more sheets to wash," Brian added as he got up from the bed.


"You're a good husband," Justin said as he too got up.


"Don't spread that around.  You'll ruin my reputation."


Justin made the move to lock his lips before they started stripping the bed.


 


*****


 


“All better now?” Ben snarked as he continued to stuff his suitcase.


“What?” Michael snapped.


“Your laptop, is it all fixed?”


“Um, yeah.”


“Brian made it all better?”


“Uh, no.”


“No?  He couldn’t fix it?”


“I, uh, couldn’t reach him so I asked Peter.”


“Peter.  Your mother’s Peter?”


“He isn’t my mother’s anything, I’m her only son!  But I asked Peter and he helped me.”


“Did you apologize to him first?” Ben asked as he threw an armful of socks into his bag.


“Why does everybody think I should have to apologize to that kid?” Michael griped as he walked away to pack up his laptop and its paraphernalia.


“Maybe because you’re a rude son of a bitch,” Ben muttered under his breath. 


Ben stood, looking around their bedroom.  It was beautiful, the whole cabin was perfection.  John poured his heart and soul into the project just as he did with all of his commitments.  It was too bad that all of John’s energies were wasted on someone who never really appreciated the effort.  Ben shook his head; he needed to clear it before the drive back to the city.  Ben made one last sweep of the bedroom and bathroom before bringing the suitcases to the front door.


“I’m going to check the yard,” he called out.


“Okay,” came a response from somewhere within the cabin.


Ben walked outside; the air was warm but with a hint of Autumn.  He took a deep cleansing breath trying to rid himself of the negative vibes.  He did it again and again but found he was fighting a losing battle.  Ben walked around the cabin toward the front yard and then onto the lane.


Lost in thought, Ben found himself facing the front door of the conjoined cottages.  Taking a chance, he knocked.  In a few moments Justin opened the door looking freshly showered, a blush to his cheeks, wearing a contented smile, and a twinkle in his eyes. 


“Hey, Ben, please come in,” said Justin as he stepped back to allow the big man into the cottage.  Ben nodded as he stepped through the door.  “How’s the book coming?”


“Good.  I’ve made a lot of progress.”


“I’m glad to hear it.  What can I do for you?”


“Is Brian home?”


“Yes, of course, I’ll get him for you then give you two some privacy,” Justin said softly.  As he turned to go get his spouse, Ben gently tapped Justin’s shoulder.


“Justin, I’d like you to be a part of the conversation,” Ben said stoically as he pleaded with his eyes.  Justin nodded.


“Who’s at the door?” Brian asked when Justin entered their room.  Brian was dressed but still  toweling off his hair.  After the boys spent the afternoon making love, they not only had more laundry to do, they also needed another shower.  


“Ben, he wants to talk to us,” Justin replied.  Brian cocked his head with curiosity and concern.  “He didn’t say,” said Justin, able to read the questioning hazel eyes.


“Then let’s not keep the man waiting,” Brian said as he tossed the towel toward their bathroom.


“Hey, Professor, how’s it hanging?” Brian quipped as he extended his hand.  Ben took it but his heart wasn’t in it.


Justin led them into the kitchen; Brian and Ben sat at the table as Justin put the kettle on and turned on the coffeemaker.


“Seriously, Ben, what’s wrong and how can we help?” Justin asked.


“I’m not sure where to begin.  One minute I’m happily typing away with the man that I love sitting by my side, then the next minute, I’m packing a suitcase and wondering whatever did I see in Michael,” Ben stated pitifully.  Justin went to console him when the kettle began to whistle.  Brian indicated to Justin to take care of the kettle while he took care of their friend.


“Start from the beginning,” Brian said gently.


“Yesterday I received a call from my Dean.  Long story short, she begged me to reconsider my sabbatical just for this semester.  Due to a twist of fate, my department will be very shorthanded for the Fall semester.  The Dean has always been good to me so I couldn’t refuse her.”


“So far I’m not hearing anything that would lead you to reconsider your life with Michael,” Brian said as Justin slid Ben a mug of his favorite tea. 


Ben stared at the mug for a moment savoring the soothing hot aroma of the tea.  How was it that Justin remembered Ben’s favorite tea and Michael couldn’t.  Ben sadly shook his head.


“Mikey probably did a happy dance at the thought of going back to the Pitts,” Brian remarked.


“Yeah, you could say that, until we started discussing my book,” Ben mumbled into his mug.  He inhaled the aroma of herbal tea sweetened with honey.  He looked downtrodden.


“What happened?” Justin asked as he began to rub Ben’s arm.


“Let’s just say we have differing opinions on how much I should reveal about the past lives of certain members of our family,” Ben snarked. 


Brian nodded knowingly.  “I suspect Mikey suggested you should go into detail regarding some of our exceptionally memorable backroom activities,” Brian surmised.


“You can put it that way,” Ben agreed.


“Wait, I’m not sure what you mean.”  Justin was perplexed.


“What the professor means is that my so called best friend believes that Ben’s book would be a wonderful opportunity to expose the past sexual exploits of some of the members of our widdle family.  Including mine, Todd’s, possibly yours, and who knows who else.  Most of us have interesting stories,” Brian said as he winked at Ben.


Ben snorted as he smirked.  He hung his head for a moment then burst out laughing.  Brian and Justin exchanged worried looks.


“Whatever you put in his tea, Sunshine, make mine a double!”


“I’m sorry, guys, I swear I haven’t popped a breaker.  I just remembered a story Emmett told me about the time he and Michael were trying to earn some extra cash as naked waiters at a private party.  Emmett said that all they wore were bow ties, cuffs, and maybe an occasional apron.  They both came away with a nice paycheck plus black and blue rear ends.”


“Maybe you should accidently leave those pages around for Michael to find,” Justin grumbled as he stood to make more tea.


“Sunshine, that sounds positively devious,” Brian crowed with pride.


“Brian, you’ve been a very bad influence,” Ben said with a smirk.


“Well I do try,” Brian stated with false modesty as he examined his immaculately manicured nails.


“I was only kidding,” Justin admonished as he topped off Brian’s coffee and gave Ben a fresh mug of tea.    


“Maybe so but I might try it anyway.  It would serve him right,” Ben groused.


“This doesn’t sound like you,” Justin quickly said.


“Where’s the Zen Ben we’ve grown to love?” Brian added.  


“Living alone like a monk in a beautiful cabin.”


“Ben,” Brian began but then the man who made a living from words couldn’t think of anything to say.  He turned his gaze toward Justin who appeared just as confounded.


“Brian, Justin, it’ll be all right.  I really came here to let you know that we’re going back to Pittsburgh so we’re closing down the cabin.  I’m not sure when we’ll be back but if my colleagues return to work next semester, I’m planning to return in the Spring.  Just do me a favor.”


“Name it,” Justin quickly said.


“After we leave, have John go through the cabin and close it down properly.  I’m sure we’re forgetting something.”


“No problem,” Brian and Justin said at the same time.


Ben nodded.  He finished his tea, thanked Justin as he stood and brought his empty mug to the sink.  Taking a deep breath, he bid them goodbye.  When Ben turned to leave, Justin gave Brian a poignant look.


“Let me walk you out,” Brian offered.


“Thank you, Brian, for everything.”


“I haven’t done anything.”


“Yet.  You haven’t done anything yet and I want you to keep it that way.”


“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”


“Bullshit!”


“Language, Professor.  If this is your subtle way of warning me to stay out of it, I will.  If you and Michael are going to fix whatever is broken with your marriage then you’ll have to do it without interference.  Not from me, Debbie, the guys, or from the family.”


“How did you get so wise?”


“Practice, plenty of practice.  If you haven’t noticed by now, we’re a pretty dysfunctional bunch.”


“No, really?  I never noticed,” Ben snarked.


“Okay, now I know this is serious.  The Ben I know doesn’t swear or snark.  You’ve done both within the last ten minutes.  And very well.”


“That’s high praise coming from you,” said Ben.  Brian arched a brow.  Ben held up his hands.  “I promise, I will suggest we seek professional help before we give up on our marriage.”


“Just know that we’re here for you.”


“And not for your best friend?”


“I don’t take sides,” Brian growled.


“I know you don’t.  You’re one of the most honest men I know.”


They had just about reached the driveway to the cabin when Ben stopped Brian.


“Brian, I still love Michael but there are times when I just don’t like him.  Lately I’ve come to the realization that I may no longer be in love with him.  But we have too much history, I’m not ready to give up on him yet.”


“Do what you have to do.  Justin and I will be there if you need us.”


“Thank you,” Ben whispered into Brian’s ear as he drew Brian into a hug.


 


*****


 


The minute Brian walked through his cottage door, he found himself with an armful of Sunshine.  Shutting the door with his foot, Brian held onto the younger man.  He felt Justin shake and take a shuddering breath.

 

“I know, Justin, I know,” Brian murmured as the lovers held fast to each other.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Gay Paree


 


Chapter 8


 


 


 


Gus woke up with the delicious sensation of Ray’s warm lips kissing a path from Gus’ chest and heading southward.  He cracked open his eyes just as Ray lifted his lips from Gus’ treasure trail.


“Come up here,” Gus whispered.


“You want me to stop?” Ray asked, curious to know why.


“Not really but I want to talk to you first while my brain still functions,” Gus said with a smirk.


“I see.  Those annoying little grey cells not yet ready to multitask?”


“Not against your distracting lips and certainly not without coffee!” Gus proclaimed.


“Like father, like son, at least where your appreciation for coffee is concerned.  So what gives?” Ray asked as he laid down beside Gus.


“We did good work, yesterday.”


“You did good work, yesterday.  We just hung on tight to your belt trying to keep up with how your mind works.”  Gus smiled as he blushed under Ray’s praise.  “But I agree, Pierre, Simone, and Charles were very impressed with the presentation.”


“Justin approves as well.  But I’ll feel much better when Pierre signs the merger papers then we can go home.  Paris is so beautiful but I miss New York.  I miss our tiny hole of an apartment."


"I think with the commission we’ll earn after we finalize this deal, we can afford a bigger apartment.  We might just be able to buy that whole building."


"Now you sound more like my dad.  He bought the Tremont building because he couldn't stand the thought of a stranger living in the loft."


"My dads did the same thing.  After living and working in our brownstone for so many years, they bought it.  And you're right, I miss New York too," said Ray.  He pecked at Gus’ lips. 


"We can plan a longer stay around the time of the opening, if you'd like,” Gus suggested.


“You mean like a real vacation?  I don’t think you and I have had one since that time we spent in Florida.”


“You mean spending time on the lane and running interference between Justin and Craig doesn’t count as a real vacation?” Gus asked with just a touch of sarcasm.


“I’m not dignifying that question with an answer.  We’ve worked very hard this year and in a few countries.  We deserve time off and I don’t think anyone would argue with that,” Ray emphatically stated.


“No argument from me either.  Listen, Pop requested the opening to be scheduled around Thanksgiving, this way Bree won’t lose too much school time.”


“That’s cutting it a little close, don’t you think?”


“Not really.  The Simone Gallery is well equipped to set up the additional display rooms as we discussed.  Pierre’s people will handle all the PR including the VIP invitations and silent auction.  He’ll have to flood Europe with ads, but I have confidence in Pierre.   Charles already went over Justin’s catalog with Simone.  They have a tentative inventory list of paintings, sketches, plus a few small sculptures.”


“Where have I been?  When did you work all this out?”  Ray sounded perplexed.  Gus shrugged.  “You worked on this after I fell asleep, didn’t you?  Once a crazy ass adman always a crazy ass adman.  You get that from your father too.”


“Like you don’t get your work ethic from your parents.  I don’t see them letting up any time soon,” Gus countered.


“True,” Ray agreed.  “They both love what they do and are young enough to keep on doing it for a very long time.”


Just then their stomachs announced themselves loudly.  The boys looked down and laughed.


“Rain check?” Gus asked.  Ray agreed but not before getting a toe curling kiss for his troubles.  “You go take your shower while I order room service.  I want to confirm our itinerary for the day.  Then I’ll take a quick shower after we eat.”


More kisses were had before Ray headed for the bathroom while Gus made his phone calls.


 


*****


 


“It’s good to be home, I missed this place!” Michael declared as he bolted through their front door, dropping his bags and looking around the house.


“You weren’t gone long enough to miss this place,” Ben muttered to himself as he brought in the lion’s share of their bags. 


Ben was tired.  Tired from the drive home, tired from lugging their bags, and tired of Michael’s callousness.  Ben realized he needed to talk to someone and soon before he said anything he might live to regret.  While Michael went through the house practically kissing each stick of furniture, Ben made some phone calls.


 


*****


 


“Hi, Honey Bun!”


“Dad!”


“Sorry, just habit I guess.  I called to let you know that we’re home.  I’ll be in the store tomorrow.”


“What do you mean we’re home?”


“Me and Ben.  We just got here a little while ago so I’ll be ready to get back to work tomorrow morning.”


“I thought Ben was staying at the cabin so he could work on his book?”


“Things changed.  He has to go back to school.”


“You don’t have to sound so happy about it.  I bet Ben’s not happy to be back.”


“A lot you know, of course he’s happy to be back.  We’re home.  Now everything will get back to normal.”


“Normal?  You’re not making any sense.  You and Ben love the cabin!”


“Of course, we love the cabin but we love our house so much more.  And we love the city.  It’s good to back with our own people.  Anyway, bye, Honey Bun, I’ll see you in the morning.”


“Sure Dad,” JR said softly as she heard her father hang up the phone. 


“Who was that?” Jacqueline asked her girlfriend as she walked into the room.


“My dad.  He and Ben are back in Pittsburgh.”


“So soon?”


“Yes.”


“I don’t think this is as simple as it sounds,” Jacqueline commented.


“No it’s not.  I just hope it doesn’t get any worse,” said JR as she threw her arms around her partner.


 


*****


 


“You’ve reached the home of Wilder and Wilder, doctors extraordinaire.  Please leave a message at the tone.  Boooop!”


“Glen, put your husband on the phone,” Ben growled.


“How did you know it was me and not a recording?” Glen asked as he stared at the phone.


“No one leaves personal messages like that anymore and they certainly don’t boop.  Besides, how long have we known each other?  You don’t spot a guy for years without learning his speech pattern.”


“Damned English professors.  And I’m not sure I like being this easy to figure out.”


“Glen!” Ben shouted into the phone to bring Glen back to the here and now.


“What?” Glen shouted back. 


Ben sighed.  “Your husband, please,” Ben pleaded between gritted teeth.


“Oh, sure.  Hang on,” Glen replied sweetly.  “Alex!”


“Give me that,” Ben heard over the phone as Alex grabbed the phone out of Glen’s hand.  Alex had heard Glen’s end of the conversation and put two and two together.


“Hey Ben, what can I do for you,” Alex asked gently.  As he waited for a response, Alex heard Ben take a large cleansing breath then let it out.  “What happened?  And should we meet in person?”


“Yes.”


“Can this wait until tomorrow?”


“I don’t think so.”


“You’re welcome to come here.  I can send my nosy busybody of a spouse out on a long errand,” Alex stated, ignoring the perturbed “Hey!” in the background.


“Uh...”


“Or, if this is that serious, I know you have the key to his majesty’s loft, we can go there.   My office is a bit out of the way,” Alex suggested.  “Is it that serious?”


“Yeah, I think it is,” came Ben’s response.


“Thirty minutes?”


“Yes.”


“Then I’ll see you in thirty,” Alex confirmed as he hung up the phone.


“Babe?” Glen addressed Alex.  Alex shook his head.  Among certain circles, Ben and Michael’s relationship and the circumstances surrounding their Canadian marriage were almost as legendary as Brian and Justin’s relationship.  And those who knew of Ben’s HIV status were equally inspired.


“I don’t know,” Alex whispered. 


Glen wheeled himself close to Alex.  He locked his wheel brakes then planted his feet on the floor.  Using the incredible strength in his muscular arms, Glen heaved himself out of his chair first locking the special leg braces he sometimes wore, trusting Alex wouldn’t let him fall.


“Hey,” Glen murmured as Alex wrapped his arms around Glen’s torso.  They hung on to each other.  “Alex, you have to help him.”


“I intend to try.”


“They’ve been together for a very long time.”


“I know.  It never ceases to surprise me how two people with such divergent personalities manage to stick it out,” said Alex from the crux of Glen’s neck.


“Like us?” Glen asked with amusement as he tightened his grip.


“Just like us,” Alex confirmed with a kiss.  “Now it’s time for this good little therapist to sit back down in his chair so I can go do my job.”  Alex made sure Glen was lined up with his chair as he eased Glen down into it.  Glen maneuvered his legs back into place on the foot pads.


Before heading out, Alex made sure Glen was secure in his chair.  He grabbed his keys then walked toward the door.


“Do what you can, Babe, but ultimately it will be up to them to fix it,” Glen cautioned.  He saw Alex’s silver haired head nod in affirmation.  “I know you, Babe, you’ll take this personally if they can’t fix it.  Don’t try to deny it.  I’m right.  You can’t help everyone especially if they don’t want to be helped.  You’re good but you’re not that good.”


“Is this coming from the psychologist?”


“Yes, and from the man who loves you more than life itself.”


“I love you too.  Now let me try to do my job.”


“Yes sir.  Just come home to me with your heart still in one piece.”


“I’m planning on it,” Alex said as he left their apartment for his appointment with Ben.


 


*****


 


“Come on, Ray, we’re going to be late,” Gus pleaded for the fifth time.


“Gus Peterson-Marcus-Kinney!  Cool.  Your.  Jets!  We have over an hour to get there and we have a car waiting for us.  Besides we’re so close to their office that we can walk there.  Now calm down before I use the full name again,” Ray warned.


Gus sighed as he tried to rein in his anxiety.  He rechecked the contents of his briefcase for the tenth time then checked his appearance, again, in the full length mirror in their room.  “I’d do me,” he mumbled to himself as he stared into the mirror.  It all had to be perfect.  This deal had to be perfect for several reasons.  Gus really wanted his dad to be proud of him.  And he wanted the exhibit to be perfect for Justin.  Gus especially wanted Bree to be proud of him.  Gus knew that Kinnetik wasn’t just his legacy but it was also Bree’s if she wanted it; she was born to be a part of it.


“Gus, it’s time,” Ray said gently as he stood next to Gus.  Gus stared at their reflection for a few more moments before nodding.  He took in a big breath then blew it out.


“Let’s go,” Gus said as he grabbed his briefcase and Ray’s hand.  Together they left their room to meet Molly and Shane in the lobby.


 


*****


 


“Another meeting?” Guillaume asked as he placed a report on Charlotte’s desk.


“Yes, the Kinnetik people are back,” Charlotte replied.


“After they stole our client?” Guillaume spat out.


“You know it was all a misunderstanding,” Charlotte assured him.


“I wouldn’t be so sure,” Guillaume grumbled with a sneer as he walked away.


Charlotte stood, picked up her pad and pen then went into the conference room to join the meeting.


“As you can see the Simone Gallery is rather quaint, however Mr. Simone assures me they can fully accommodate the amount of guests we anticipate,” Gus stated as he described exhibition plans.


“Quaint, is that a euphemism for small?” someone asked, inciting nervous laughter.  Gus smiled.


“Yes, the Simone Gallery is a bit small.  But no smaller than the Bloom Gallery in Pittsburgh where Justin Taylor is on permanent display.  Simone has offered to make a few alterations to the interior of the gallery.  He will open up the back room to make it easier for visitors to wander around,” Gus explained.


“How have you accomplished this in such a short period of time?” another trusted member of the Bellerose staff enquired.  Gus gave a coy smile.


“Kinnetik prides itself on working quickly,” said Ray.


“And thoroughly,” Gus added.  “This is a copy of our contract with Simone,” Gus said as he and Ray passed out copies to everyone in the room.  After a few moments, Gus could feel the energy in the room begin to rise as the Bellerose people studied the paperwork.


Gus nodded at Ray who handed the merger proposal to Pierre and Stéphane.  Ray stepped back to allow Pierre and his attorney time to study their proposal.  Molly and Shane who were sitting at the back of the room, exchanged looks as Pierre and Stéphane spoke excitedly in rapid fire French.


“What are they sayin’, girl?” Shane whispered to Molly.


“They’re impressed,” Molly replied.


“Are they ready to sign?” Shane asked.


“Yes, I think so.  Look, Pierre is about to speak.”


“Mesdames et messieurs, my friends, as you know I’ve been contemplating retiring from this business.  I felt lost, no longer taking pleasure in the simplest aspects of our business.  Then along came what I thought was going to be the opportunity to reinvigorate my interest in our business.  Fortunately a trusted friend and friendly competitor warned me of the potential dangers in forming that association.  Thank you, Shane, for preventing a disastrous alliance. 


“Now, our good friend Shane has brought us a new proposition, a new opportunity to breathe life into our business.  Stéphane, a pen please.”  Stéphane handed his friend and colleague a pen.  “I hold in my hand what I believe will be a very long and rewarding partnership.” 


Pierre held up the pen in one hand and the merger contract in the other.  He scanned the faces of his most trusted associates looking for any signs of an objection.  Seeing none, Pierre placed the contract on the table, turned to the correct page then signed his name.  Stéphane quickly opened bottles of one of the best French champagnes and passed around the glasses.


“My friends, raise your glass to the new Kinnetik Rose!”


“Kinnetik Rose!” everyone repeated as they toasted the new venture.


Gus reached out for Ray’s hand; finding it, he gave it a squeeze of relief.


 


*****


 


“Thank you for meeting me here,” Ben said as he unlocked the front door to the Tremont building.  He had waited outside for Alex to arrive so that they could go inside together.


“Not a problem, but you do realize that everyone in this building knows the two of us,” Alex reminded Ben as he followed him into the elevator. 


“I have nothing to hide.  If anyone asks I’ll tell them the truth.  We all need guidance every once in a while.  When I do, I go to the best, and that’s you,” Ben stated as the elevator squeaked its way to the fourth floor then stopped.


“Should we have called him?” Alex asked as Ben fished the key from his pocket.


“Already done.  He’s given me his blessings and my own alarm code for as long as we need it.”


“As much as it may pain him if he heard us talking about him this way, Brian Kinney is a good man,” Alex proclaimed.


“Yes, he is and an even better friend,” Ben stated as he rolled back the heavy door, entered in his code then showed Alex into the loft.


 


*****


 


“Pop!”


“Hey, Sonny Boy.”


“Did I wake you?”


“Naaa, I had to get up to answer the phone.”


“Ba ump bump!”


“Don’t quit your day job, Shecky.  So to what do I owe this honor?”


“We did it, Pop!  Kinnetik Rose is a reality.”


“Way to go, Sonny Boy!  I’m so proud of you.”


“I have to admit, I was a little worried but then I thought WWBKD.”


“What the fuck is WWBKD?”


“What would Brian Kinney do?” Gus giggled, practically seeing his father roll his eyes.


“Say good night, Gus.”


“Good night, Gus.”


“You did good, Sonny Boy.  I look forward to reading your report.”


“Thanks, Pop, you’ll get it in the morning.”


“Later, Gus.”


“Later, Pop.”


Brian cut the connection then tossed his phone into the drawer of his nightstand.  He was sporting a very proud papa grin as he turned off the light and snuggled down next to Justin.


“Is Gus okay?” a sleepy Justin asked.


“Very okay,” Brian murmured into Justin’s ear, gently nibbling the tender skin.  “He closed the deal.”


“He did?” 


“Mmm hmm.”  Brian’s warm breath had a certain desired affect on a specific part of Justin’s anatomy. 


“Does that mean they’ll be coming home soon?”


“Yes,” Brian whispered as he drew Justin closer.


“That’s good.”


“Yes it is.  I think this calls for a celebration,” Brian decided.


“Now?”


“No time like the present,” Brian stated as he rolled on top of Justin, capturing his lips.


“You have the best ideas,” were the last words spoken that night.


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Gay Paree


 


Chapter 9


 


 


 


"What the fuck are we going to do for Labor Day this year?" Brian groused at breakfast.


 


"Language, Dada," Bree stated seriously.


 


"Okaaaay," Brian sighed.


 


"You're going to barbecue, as you always do," Justin said with a beatific smile.


 


"Believe it or not, I'm sick of barbecuing.  I've done nothing else all summer."


 


"That's hardly true," Justin said.


 


"That's how it seems," Brian countered.


 


"Dada, you know you do the best barbecue in the whole state, maybe the whole world," Bree said with a smile.


 


Brian's eyebrow shot up in surprise.  "Have you been coaching her?" he asked his husband.


 


"Nobody has to coach me, Dada.  I'm telling you the truth."  Bree's smile grew broader and coyer.


 


"She does have a point," Justin contributed.


 


"How come I always have both of you ganging up on me?"


 


"You're just lucky, Dada," Bree said with a giggle.


 


Brian shook his head.  He knew when he was not going to win.  "Okay, okay, but let's keep the fu... get together small this year."


 


"Small it is," Justin agreed.  "How about we only invite the people on the lane?"


 


"Don't they number in the fu... thousands?"


 


"Not anymore, Dada.  Uncle Michael and Uncle Ben just left.  Uncle Emmett and Uncle Drew are working in Pittsburgh over the long weekend," Bree informed them.  "Auntie Molly won't be here since she just got back, so none of the Brenner’s will come.  That leaves us, Aunt Rachael's family and Grandma Deb's family."


 


"Is that it?" Brian asked, surprised at how small the number actually was.  "Are John, Bobby and Patrick not going to be here?"


 


"Of course they are, Dada.  I included them with us."


 


"Oh, okay."


 


"So the barbecue will not overtax you," Justin said matter-of-factly.


 


"What about Alex and Glen?" Brian asked.


 


"They might decide to come out here, but they're both getting back into their work schedules, so probably not," Justin said.


 


"Hmmm," Brian replied.


 


"If I didn't know better, I'd think you were disappointed that there aren't more people coming."


 


Brian made a face.  "I'm not sure I can barbecue for such a small number, that's all."


 


Bree giggled.  "Silly Dada."


 


"You got that right, Bree.  Silly Dada doesn't know what the fu... what he wants."


 


"Silly Dada is leaving," Brian said as he quickly exited the kitchen to the chuckles of those still at the table.


 


 


*****


 


 


Labor Day dawned warm and sunny.  It was not supposed to be overly hot which suited Brian to a tee.  Slaving over a hot barbecue in 90 degree temperatures was no fun at the best of times.  He finished cleaning the barbecues so that everything was to his liking.  He had most of the morning before people started arriving.  They would have a barbecue lunch and a relaxing afternoon before everyone headed home so that the children could get ready for school the following day.


It should be calm and peaceful, maybe too calm and peaceful.


 


Standing beside the barbecue grills, Brian let his mind wander.  He was thinking about his son who had just returned from France, bringing back a major new acquisition.  Brian was very proud of Gus.  He must remember to tell him that when next he saw him.  He was sorry that Gus and Ray wouldn't be here for Labor Day, but the boys wanted some alone time in their own apartment.  He could understand that.  They would do their celebrating there.


 


Brian smiled thinking about his own coups and the celebrations that he and Justin had had as a result.


 


"Penny for your thoughts, or maybe it would take a dollar based on that look on your face."


 


"Hey, Carl," Brian said as he turned to the older man.  "You're early."


 


"Debbie sent me over to see if you needed any help."


 


"I think we're good.  The grills are in tiptop shape."


 


"I told her you would have everything under control, but she insisted."


 


"That's Debbie for you," Brian said with a chuckle.  "I appreciate her concern."


 


"Then I'll see you later," Carl said as he turned to leave.


 


"Um, Carl, have you heard anything from Ben and Michael?"


 


"No, why?"


 


"No reason, I was wondering how they would settle back into life in the Pitts."


 


Carl studied Brian's face.  "You're worried about them too, aren't you?" he asked.


 


"You're worried?" Brian asked.


 


"And so are you, if I'm reading you right."


 


"I ... I don't want to get involved, but..."


 


"I don't think we can do anything.  They need to work it out," Carl said.


 


"I agree.  Has Debbie figured out what's going on between them?"


 


"She suspects, but she doesn't want to believe that anything's really wrong," Carl said rubbing his chin.


 


"Let me know if you hear from them."


 


"I will," Carl said.  He slowly walked away.


 


 


*****


 


 


Lunch went by without incident.  The small group who attended the barbecue found it refreshing to be able to have some in depth conversations with those in attendance.  Usually there were so many people that every encounter was fleeting and superficial.  The men enjoyed talking sports and politics over a beer once they had eaten.  The women enjoyed not talking sports, although Bree wouldn't have minded.  The ladies discussed politics, clothes and relationships.  Debbie had little to say about the last topic.  She didn't want to think too much about her son and Ben.


 


"What's up?" John asked Peter who was sitting on the swing with a soft drink in his hand.


 


"Just thinking."


 


"Are you okay with going back to school tomorrow?"


 


Peter shrugged.  John waited.  He wanted an answer to that question, but he wasn't going to push.  He had grown to like the boy over the course of the summer.  Peter drew in a deep breath and thought about what Bree had told him.  He shouldn't keep silent and keep everything locked up inside him.


 


"Since the princess tells me I need to talk more, I guess I can answer that," Peter said.  "I'm not looking forward to school but I'm going to try to be more friendly and open.  I'll have to see how it goes."


 


"Good man," John said squeezing Peter's shoulder.  He deliberately said 'man', not 'boy'.


 


"I hope you're right," Peter replied.


 


"We'll have to see.  Oh, and just a word to the wise, don't let Bree hear you calling her a princess.  You don't want her wrath unleashed on you."


 


Peter shook his head.  "I guess I'm not off to a good start with trying to change."


 


"You'll do fine.  Be yourself."  John headed back to his chair in the shade and the beer that was waiting for him.


 


Peter wondered why people wanted him to be himself, when most people didn't like that person.  He wondered how fine the first day of school would turn out to be.


 


 


*****


 


 


As the afternoon wore on, the inhabitants of the lane started to stroll back to their homes.  Soon the only people remaining in the backyard were the families of the conjoined cottages.


 


"Another successful Labor Day get together," Bobby said raising his bottle of beer in salute.


 


"Glad you think so," Brian said trying not to be too sarcastic.


 


"I know it wasn't up to your usual multitudes, brother dear, but it was a pleasant afternoon spent with people we like," John stated.


 


"Fuck!  We are so old!" Brian groused.


 


"Speak for yourself, old man," John retorted.


 


"You're not old, Dada," Bree said with a gentle smile.  "You're just aging to perfection!"


 


Brian snorted.  "Thanks for the vote of confidence, Squirt, but we've all grown so ... lame."


 


"I beg your pardon, brother-in-law dear," Bobby interjected.  "I refuse to be lame.  I'm totally in style and in the know.  No lameness for me."


 


Brian chuckled.  "That statement just proved how lame you are."


 


"Brian, stop it," Justin said firmly.  "None of us is lame, including you.  We have matured and learned how to enjoy ourselves in a sensible manner."


 


"The only thing worse than lame is sensible," Brian countered.


 


"Hey, you guys," Patrick said, "the world thinks you are all at the top of your game.  You shouldn't be griping about such stupid stuff."


 


"Out of the mouths of babes," John said with a smile for his son.


 


"Who you calling a babe, old man?" Patrick demanded.  "I can take you any day of the week."  Patrick couldn't prevent the smirk that crossed his face. 


 


"Uh oh," Justin said when he caught his breath.  "Somebody's feeling his oats."


 


John feigned offense as he grabbed Patrick then held on tight to give him a noogie.  Patrick shrieked as the family laughed.


 


"This is the most ridiculous conversation I've ever heard," Bree said standing up.  "I think you're all nuts."


 


"And I think you're right, Squirt," Brian agreed before they all cracked up again.


 


 


*****




“What’s this?” Alex asked when Ben placed a book on Alex’s desk. 


 



 


After a few late night sessions at Brian’s loft, Alex and Ben finally found a convenient time to meet at Alex’s office.  It wasn’t as comfortable as the loft but they didn’t want to take advantage of Brian’s generosity.


 


“My first book; this is the copy I gave to Michael.  I even signed it.”  Alex opened the book to the fly leaf and read the dedication. 


 


“Beneath whose mild mannered appearance beats the heart of a superhero,” Alex read out loud.  “From what you’ve told me, he always had a thing for superheroes,” he remarked as he closed the book.  “You know him so well.”


 


“I thought I did,” Ben sighed.


 


“Why did you bring it today?” Alex asked. 


 


Ben stood up to pace.  “The other day I dropped my favorite sweatshirt in the back of our closet.  When I went to pick it up, I noticed the book sticking out from under a pair of Michael’s old sneakers.  A year ago I would have probably laughed it off.”


 


“And now?”


 


“I find it almost impossible to laugh anything he does, off.  It hurt, Alex.  It was as if my gift meant nothing to him, that my life holds no meaning for him.  Granted, there are so many survivors that my story is no longer unique.”


 


“But it is your story and you feel betrayed.”    


 


Ben nodded.  He walked over to a window and stared out.  Alex gave Ben a moment to compose himself.


 


“When Michael and I first met we had to overcome several issues before our relationship took hold.  One was my HIV status, another was Brian.  We obviously got past my status but there were times I was jealous of Michael’s unrelenting love and yearning for Brian.  Brian was Michael’s superhero.”  Alex again nodded.  When Ben first sought out Alex’s counsel years before, he and Alex had spoken extensively about Brian. 


 


“Do you know how often I had to beat down the urge to throw into Michael’s face the fact I have a piece of Brian that he will never have?  Sometimes I still have to fight that urge.  I get so angry at him that I want to shout, “Brian and I fucked all night long.  You never did and you never will!”  And then there are the times when I love Michael so much that I want to protect him, wrap him up in bubble wrap.  And I wish we’d never leave our bed, that we could shut out the world, make love all day and all night,” Ben said with a waning smile.


 


“But those times are becoming too far in between.  I never thought I’d hear myself saying that.”


 


“Ben, about Brian,” Alex ventured.  “I have to ask.”


 


“Friends only; just very good friends.  He keeps my confidences and I keep his,” Ben explained.  Alex gave him a look.  “Yes, he’s a pain in the ass with his incessant flirting and innuendos thrown left and right when he’s in the mood to torture the hell out of me; he wouldn’t be Brian Kinney if he didn’t.  But that’s where it ends.”


 


“And if you and Michael can’t fix whatever is wrong with your marriage?”


 


“I’ll still have a friend who will keep my confidences.” 


 


Alex believed him.  Knowing Brian as well as he did, Alex had no doubt of his fidelity.  Alex also knew that Ben would do whatever it took to heal his marriage.  But if the worst did happen, Ben was not the type of man to seek solace in the arms of a married man.


 


“I’m so tired,” Ben murmured so softly that Alex had a difficult time hearing him.  “I’m tired of always having to defend him.  I’m tired of looking the other way when I’m embarrassed by what he says or does.  He’s not a stupid man.  You don’t become as successful as he is with his business by being stupid.  But there are times…” Ben sadly shook his head. “I’m just so tired,” Ben said hanging his head.


 


Alex jotted down a few notes on a pad then made Ben a proposal.  “I normally wouldn’t offer to prescribe something for you but I will if you’re having trouble sleeping.”


 


“No, thank you.  You know I don’t like ingesting any more chemicals than I have to.”


 


“Yes, I know, you’re stubborn that way,” Alex good naturedly chided Ben.  “Seriously, Ben, this may be unprofessional of me but you’re a friend as well as my patient.  If you need anything, day or night, you only have to call.  Both Glen and I will be there for you.”


 


“Thank you.  I appreciate it as friends and as your patient,” said Ben as he prepared to leave.  “Same time next week?”


 


“Yes, of course.”  Ben walked toward the door.  “Ben, your book!”


 


“Keep it; read it if you’d like,” Ben said with a grin.  “Consider it homework.  Maybe you’ll learn something.”


 


“Okay, Professor, I might just do that.  But I’m adding the read time to your bill!” Alex called after Ben as he left the office.


 


Alex examined the book.  Of course, he and Glen were old enough to remember the early days when that “plague” first hit.  The devastation it created, the men and women lost and the guilt from the survivors left behind.  Even those who were lucky enough to remain clean or worked hard to play safe, were forever changed.  The age of Aquarius was long gone.


 


Alex shook himself trying to release the bad vibes.  He began packing up his briefcase, getting himself ready to leave for the night.  Before he snapped his briefcase closed, Alex reached for the book and shoved it in.


 


“Homework indeed,” he muttered as he shut off the lights.


 


 


*****


 


 


Early November 2025


 


“So what do you think?” Gus asked.  He, Ray, and Stacy were in the conference room of Kinnetik N’rgy.  They were video conferencing with Kinnetik, Part Deux, Perspectives, and North going over the plans for Justin’s show in Paris.  Shane and Isles were "homebase" for Gus and the plans; Shane was well versed so he didn't need to attend.  Lindsay was watching from the Bloom Gallery while Brian and Justin were watching from Brian's attic office.


 


“I think it’s outstanding!” Scott from Part Deux exclaimed with agreement from all around.


 


They watched the screen as Gus manipulated his laptop.  He swung the picture around so that they all had a 360˚ view of the Simone Gallery and the changes made to accommodate Justin’s exhibition. 


 


“Wow!” Justin gasped, “it’s fabulous.”  “Look at that,” he gasped as he leaned over Brian’s shoulder to point at the screen.  Brian was bursting with pride over Gus’ designs for the exhibition and the contract arrangements written by Ray.  He was proud of all their accomplishments.


  


And then there was Justin; Brian could feel the warmth of Justin’s body leaning over him and sense his excitement.  Justin had sold many works in Europe but he never had a Paris opening.  This was a special event for Justin, their family, and the whole of Kinnetik.


 


“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian began as he grabbed hold of Justin’s arm, dragging him onto his lap.  As Justin settled onto his favorite seat, Brian wrapped his arms around him.  They continued participating in the conference, offering suggestions and discussing the plans.  As the meeting was drawing to its conclusion, Brian made an announcement.


 


“Before we sign off I want each branch to arrange for two representatives to accompany us to France.  I’ve contacted Liberty Air, a private jet will take us all over and back.  Theodore, I’ll expect you to have the final employee list to me by Friday.  I’ll call you with the list of family members who will be joining us,” Brian stated with authority.


 


“Yes, Boss,” Ted replied promptly in his usual way.  Brian arched a brow, surprised he didn’t get an argument regarding the expense.  Ted shrugged as he smiled.  “This is a special occasion,” Ted went on to explain, reading Brian's thoughts.  Brian gave him a knowing wink.


 


“People, we all know what we have to do, so let’s go do it,” Brian commanded before ending the conference.


 


"Well, Sunshine, gay Paree, here we come!"


 


"Yee haw!" came the response followed by a bright sunshine smile and glowing ocean blue eyes.


 


"Yee haw," Brian repeated, followed by a deep passionate kiss.


 


 


 


Epilogue


 


Late November 2025


 


 


The Liberty Air plane Brian hired was quickly filling up with Kinnetik personnel, close friends, and key family members.  Everyone chosen to go to the opening, rendezvoused in New York.  They had a couple of days to take in a few New York City sights, the city was all dressed up for the holidays, before flying to France.


 


"He looks nervous," Gus commented to Lindsay.  Gus noticed Justin was almost buried into Brian's side.


 


"He always is before a new exhibition," Lindsay informed her son.  Soon after takeoff the pilot switched off the seat belt sign, the passengers were free to roam the cabin.  It was a long flight, the private plane had lots of room to move about to visit with friends and family.


 


"I wondered about that.  He's had hundreds of shows including the big one in London.  How come he's still so nervous?" Gus asked.  Lindsay gave her son a knowing smile.  "Yeah, yeah, stupid question.  No matter how many presentations I make to get that contract, I'm still nervous.  I get it."


 


"Yes, you do.  Never take things for granted; never assume there's no one out there better than you because there always is," she said, imparting good advice to her son.  Gus gave his mother a hug.


 


"Love you, Mom."


 


"I love you too, Lambskin," said Lindsay, using her pet name for her baby boy who was now a man.


 


"Oh Mom," Gus whined as he hugged his mother harder.


 


In another part of the plane, Justin was leaning into Brian's shoulder.


 


"Are you all right, Sunshine?"


 


"No, but I will be, eventually, like some time next year when I'm sure the show went well."


 


"This is small time compared to the National Gallery."


 


"That's bullshit and you know it.  But I understand and I'll get over it as soon as I'm there in the gallery."


 


"Fussing over a sketch or rearranging a grouping of sculptures, no doubt."


 


"No doubt," Justin mimicked, getting a toe curling kiss for his insolence.


 


"We could fuck in the forward restroom," Brian suggested into Justin's ear as he nibbled a tender lobe.  Brian felt Justin shiver as his cock twitched in anticipation.


 


"Stop it," Justin admonished, his eyes searching for their daughter.


 


"Later when she falls asleep," Brian said, knowing what his spouse was thinking about.


 


"You're incorrigible."


 


"Yes, I am but you love me anyway."


 


"Yes, I do," Justin stated sweetly.  "I always have and I always will," he murmured as he snuggled closer into the safety of Brian's arms.


 


"No doubt," Brian repeated as he held Justin tighter.


 


 


*****


 


 


When the big day finally arrived, both Justin and Gus were fussing and inspecting every inch of the Simone Gallery tweaking this, polishing that, and blowing away imagined dust off of anything and everything.  Brian and Lindsay found it amusing.  Mel found it annoying but what did she know, she wasn't an artist.  She thought the whole exhibit looked perfect.


 


Bree was beaming.  She was wearing a pale pink suit, reminiscent of Chanel, especially designed just for her by Nina Richie.  Molly did Bree's hair in a simple chignon, held in place by the "B" clip.  She looked like a princess.  A princess who kept her prince Patrick close for moral support.


 


As was his custom, Brian stood off in a quiet corner watching Justin "work" the room.  This was Justin's time to shine.  Brian, thanks to the nudes Justin had chosen to include and prominently display, had become a bit too famous for Brian's liking.  Justin was wearing one of his favorite deep navy Hugo Boss suits with a cream shirt.  Brian had insisted that Justin leave the tie behind.  The look gave Justin's youthful face and physique an air of sophisticated innocence.  Brian, wearing black on black, looked lean and mean.  Whenever Justin felt the need for an extra boost of confidence, all he had to do was look over to Brian's corner.  Justin found it there in Brian's eyes.


 


After several celebrities and VIPs had come and gone, all overjoyed with the attention Justin paid them and by their latest acquisition, employees of the new Kinnetik Rose advertising agency began to arrive.  Pierre proudly introduced his people to Justin, explaining their position in the company and their contribution to this event.  Justin took his time with each one of them, thanking them and answering their questions.


 


"Pierre looks like he's bursting at the seams," Lindsay commented.  She and Mel quietly joined Brian in his corner, bringing him a glass of champagne and a small dish of delicate canapés to nibble on.


 


"He has a right to be, he did an exceptional job advertising this event and with the guest list," Mel added.  "Brian, you're awfully quiet.  Jealous of Pierre's accomplishments?" Mel teased.  She and Lindsay exchanged looks when no caustic reply came.


 


"Brian, what's wrong?" Lindsay asked as she scanned the gallery looking for something or someone out of place.  "Brian?" she said a little louder to get his attention.


 


"What the fuck is wrong with you, Kinney?" Melanie growled.


 


"Who is that?" Brian asked, ignoring their questions.  The ladies, following his gaze, found the object of Brian's concern across the room speaking with Justin.


 


"He looks familiar," Mel stated as she set her glass down on a nearby table.


 


"Yes, he does," Lindsay agreed.  She squinted as she took one step closer to get a better view.


 


"Son of a fucking bitch," Brian swore. 


 


"Brian, who is it?" Lindsay asked with concern.  Mel stepped in closer as she stared at the very familiar gentleman.


 


The parents of Gus made a collective gasp.


 


"Gui!"


 


 

 

-tbc-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1737