The Interview by Simply written
Summary:

 

Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Justin Taylor, Original Male Character
Tags: 10k+ Word Count
Genres: Alternate Universe
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 33804 Read: 2464 Published: Mar 27, 2023 Updated: Mar 27, 2023

Story Notes:

 

I'm posting this for Simply written. I did NOT write this story

~Lorie

 

 

1. Chapter 1 by Simply written

2. Chapter 2 by Simply written

3. Chapter 3 by Simply written

4. Chapter 4 by Simply written

5. Chapter 5 by Simply written

6. Chapter 6 by Simply written

7. Chapter 7 by Simply written

Chapter 1 by Simply written

 

Chapter 1

 

"Brad, I am not going to go to some shitty art loft to interview some insane artist. I mean, what the fuck? Just because they sold a painting for half a million dollars and now have another one they expect will sell for twice that, I have to go to him? I thought I was the host of a talk show, not a roving reporter."

"Brian, this guy is supposed to be the next Picasso. Think about what he could do for your career. He has never given an interview. You could be his go-to everytime he has something new on the horizon. The networks would pick that up. You've always said you want to get out of Pittsburgh."

"Fuck! I don't want to do this. You are going to owe me big. If I do this for you, I don't have to do the Thanksgiving parade. I want it in writing before I leave today."

"You got it." The producer handed Brian a folder. "Here's your homework. By tomorrow afternoon make sure you know this man's life inside and out. He's only a couple years younger than you. You never ran into each other?"

"Why would I have run into him?"

"Well..."

"We're both gay? I didn't think anyone knew that for sure. I have heard he is a recluse. He doesn't associate with anyone, male or female."

"Brian I will have my assistant type up the Thanksgiving agreement. You go get to know your subject."

"This better be worth it and if this interview goes to syndication..."

"We will renegotiate the option for you to leave, no penalties."

"Deal. I will stop by your office tomorrow for details and the address of his studio." Brian turned and strode out of the office.

As Brian drove home in his vintage Corvette he grumbled under his breath. "Why did I agree to this?" Answering himself he said, "Because you want to meet this hermit."  He hadn't admitted it to the producer because he was happy to have some collateral to get out of the parade, but he was curious about this guy. Justin Taylor was a bit of an enigma. 

Brian pulled into the parking lot by his apartment. As he took the elevator up to his loft he thought about high school. He had lied to Brad. He had known who Justin was while he was in high school. He was a brave little asshole two years behind him. He tried to get equal rights for everyone in the school. He had known Brian Kinney was gay and when he refused to join, Taylor chose to hate everything about him. He could never prove it but several things that happened to his locker and belongings the rest of that year, led back to the smart ass blond. 

"How could anyone doubt he was gay? He had a history here in the city. Hell, he had gotten beaten because of it. Obviously, Brad needs to do his homework." Brian strode off the elevator and into his apartment.

 

"Remind me again why I am doing this interview? I'm the artist that doesn't like attention. I don't like anyone in my studio. Other than you and my agent, no one steps in here. Fuck, I even cleaned it myself until last month. Now the cleaning service comes once a month to clean the floors. You remember what a pig he was when we were in school."

"You were just mad he didn't support your club."

"Fuck you, Daphne." He walked over and straightened a picture on the wall. "I doubt he will even remember who I am."

"Why did you say you would do it with him, and in your studio? Why not just go to the studio?"

"The next painting going to the auction is part of a fundraiser for the LGBT teen center. My agent insisted this was the best way to get a better price."

Daphne walked over and hugged him, "And you will do anything to raise money for the center."

"I'm not sure I would have made it through college without them. But, shit, I don't want all of this out for him to show to everyone. I am going to make him stay out in the front part and display just what I want him to see."

"He is going to want a tour. I am sure of it."

"Just because he wants..." Justin looked at his best friend and sighed. "Help me get a few of these pieces up in the loft? I will make sure he knows that is my living quarters. He doesn't have to know I don't live there anymore."

Two hours later, Daph and Justin were walking out of the studio. There was a loud crash about a block away. "Damn, that reno down the block is the noisiest build I have ever heard." They got into the Uber they had called. They rode most of the way in silence. Justin couldn't stop thinking that the next time he went to his studio he would be opening his private space up to the world. He hated this.

"Do you want to have some dinner?" Daphne asked as they neared Justin's apartment.

"Can I take a raincheck on that? I plan to send the questions I will answer to Kinney tonight."

"Was that part of the deal?"

"Well, not really but I plan to have boundaries." The taxi pulled up to his new apartment and handed the driver more than enough money to take Daphne home. "I'll talk to you tomorrow night?"

"You better tell me what happens."

Justin waved at his best friend as the Uber pulled away. He punched in the code and entered the building. He took the elevator to his apartment on the 10th floor. He was renting with the option to buy. If this next deal went through as he suspected, he would buy this place. He poured a drink and looked out over the river. Two months ago he was living in the art studio loft and now he had one of the best views in the city. He still couldn't believe how fast everything moved. His mind also went to the reminder his agent gave him. ‘It can go as fast as it came.' Justin had bought a mid range car, but most of the income from the painting went into the bank. 

After he emptied the glass he poured a second and then sat down by the counter bar, grabbed one of his sketchbooks and started a list of guidelines. He listed:

He would talk about his time in art school. 

He would not answer personal questions other than where he grew up.

He would talk about his favorite mediums 

He would not talk money.

He would review his upcoming tour.

Justin took a snapshot of his list and texted it over to the producer he had been in contact with for the interview. He added via text, "These are the guidelines. Email a list of questions in the morning." He then entered the kitchen, and pulling out a cutting board and a knife he started his second favorite way to be creative.

 

"You're kidding, right? No personal questions? I can't talk about his new found wealth? What the hell can I ask?"

Brad shrugged, "Brian, I knew he was going to be hard to crack and you are the best interviewer I know. You don't care if they hate you and you tend to find ways to get the answers without getting the questions."

"That isn't going to work with him."

"Come on. Brian Kinney can charm anyone he wants to."

"What if I don't want to?"

"What if I don't want to charm him? He might be pretty to look at, but nothing else I've seen or heard makes me want to spend time with him."

"Why do I feel like there is a story here? You don't know him, do you?"

"We were in the same high school for a year or two. Other than passing in the halls 10 years ago, I've never interacted with him."

"That should give you something to interact about."

"I doubt it. Now, can we come up with the list of questions we will show him and then the list of questions I actually plan to get answers to?"

 

Justin received the questions overnight. As he drank coffee and read over them, he wished he would have let Daphne join them. He hated the fact he was letting Kinney get to him. With the coffee in his hand, he thought about the first time he saw Brian Kinney. He was a legend in the school. Every girl and gay male fantasized about him, and he had a feeling some of the straight guys would have switched teams for one night with him. Brian had been a rebel although he hung out with that geek. What was his name? Matty? No, Mikey. He always called him Mikey. 

If it hadn't been for his art, Justin wasn't sure where he would have been. Although he was smart, he really didn't fit with the brainiacs. He had the art kids and helped with the theater productions, so also had that group of kids, but not once had Brian Kinney glanced his way. Not once had he supported any of the groups they had tried to start for diversity groups. Of course, they had only shared the halls for a short time.  

Justin concentrated on the list and was sure these were not the questions he would be asked. Brian was known for probing without you realizing. That wasn't going to happen today. He would not let him.

 

Brian had woken up late.  He hadn't set his alarm and now he had to rush. He showered and looked at the suit he had set out the night before. He knew Brad wanted him to wear it, but Brian decided against it. Artists were laid back. He looked at his jeans but knew he would get dinged if he wore them. He pulled out some deep brown trousers with a cream pinstripe. They clung to his hips and legs. Once he pulled them on he looked at the shirts in his closet.  He chose a deep burgundy silk T-shirt and topped it with a brown leather jacket. Brad would be pissed, but not mad enough to change his mind about the Thanksgiving parade.

 

Justin left his apartment at noon and decided to walk the mile to his studio.  He knew there was nothing special about his car but the construction going on around the studio made him nervous. He just had a feeling something wasn't right over there, plus, the walk might calm him. He was still a couple blocks away when he heard a car honk and a vintage corvette pull into a spot that just opened up. He just continued on until he heard his name.

"Justin Taylor, wait up." He turned and saw Brian extract himself from the car. "I don't know if I could get closer but I saw a spot." He strode over and offered his hand, "Brian Kinney, nice to meet you."

Justin wanted to kick himself but he couldn't take his eyes off Kinney. "I didn't expect you yet. I didn't expect you for another half hour at least."

Brian ignored his comment.  "My cameraman is meeting us there. He's coming from another shoot but then he is ours the rest of the day."

"How long will this take?  I still don't think this is a good idea. We are sticking to the six questions you sent me, right?"

"Sure, so what does this space look like? They said there was a sitting area."

"There are a couple chairs and a..."

"What's the light like?"

By that point, Justin had had enough. Although Brian continued to ask questions, Justin ignored him. Once they were outside of the building he grabbed Justin's arm, "Why'd you quit talking to me?"

"I was tired of wasting my breath. You weren't listening to anything I said anyway." Justin unlocked the building and Brian followed him in. "We need to go up the steps. Text your camera man to come up. I'll leave the door down here unlocked."

Once they arrived upstairs, Justin opened the door to his studio space and locked the door behind them. 

The noise from the renovation down the street was louder than normal. "What the hell is that?"

"They are working on a building a couple blocks away." Justin didn't go into any more detail.

"Well, how are we supposed to do an interview with that noise?"

Justin pointed to the next room. "Soundproof in there." At one time his studio had been used for a recording studio and he had put his sofa and chairs in that area when he lived here.

"Justin, before my cameraman, Chuck, comes, we need to talk.  Well, you need to talk. This could be a fun, interesting interview or it could be boring and lifeless. You are going to need to speak. So far I have had to work for everything you have said."

"It is your job, not mine."

"So are you going to remain hostile throughout?"

"Hostile? I'm not hostile." Justin continued to move around the space, turning lights on and straightening up his paints uncomfortably. "Brian, you don't even realize we have met before, do you?"

"You mean high school? Sure, but I don't remember saying anything to you."

"Now that is true. I was too lowly for the mighty Brian Kinney to say ‘hi' to." Justin tried to make it sound like a joke but they both recognized the undertone."

"What were you, a freshman when I was a senior?"

As Justin opened his mouth to say something and there was a pounding on the door. Brian went to the door and a man bearing silver cases walked in. "Kinney, how are we going to do an interview with all this noise?"

"The room over there is soundproof."

"Great!" Chuck said and, after setting down the cases he walked over to Justin, "Mr. Taylor,  excuse his manners. I'm Chuck. May I go set up the still cameras and then we can do a walk through and get some shots?"

Brian stood to the side, hands on his hips. "Fuck you," he said lightheartedly as Chuck walked past him. "Taylor can show me around while you set up. Even if we have to do a voice over because of the noise." Brian swooped his arm to the other door in the room.  

"How long have you had this space?" Brian asked.

"Just about three years. I lived here up until two months ago."

"Two sentences. We are making progress." Justin's face went hard and Brian continued. "Sorry.  This isn't my normal kind of interview and, well, I do remember you. We weren't in the same halls very often because of the age difference but I remember wondering if sex would be good between us."

"Oh, and I always pictured you as a top. I sure as hell wouldn't have let your wimpy little dick near my..."

"Wimpy little..." Brian snarled but then had to smile. "Can we start over? Chuck should be in here in a minute." He started looking around. "I just want to complete this interview and go home. You are really good. If this goes well, maybe you'll let me do another when you have another big sale."

Justin took a deep breath, "Ya, sure. My agent says I have no choice but to do this so I might as well make the best of it."

As Chuck took some video, Brian, with a recorder in his hand, asked questions, "This information I will use if we need a little filler."

"Mr. Taylor," Chuck started but Justin interrupted.

"Justin, please." Just then there was a loud bang from outside and the building actually trembled. "I don't know what is going on but this is the loudest construction I have ever heard.  I'm glad I don't live here anymore."

"This is amazing work. I think I have plenty for the interview but I wish we had hours so I could go through all of it."

"Chuck, you seem to enjoy art."

"I do. I went to art school but I wasn't good enough to make it as an artist like you, but I use this for my art now."

"Photography takes just as much skill. You have to know the right angles and understand depth." Justin jumped as another loud sound surprised him. "If you are done in here we can go into the sitting room and I promise once the door is shut, we won't hear any of this."

The room was completely silent when they were inside the old recording room. Once the men were settled into chairs, Brian explained how he would run the interview. "I will be asking you the questions one at a time. We may keep it in the order I ask but it is more likely that I will shuffle them a little bit. Sometimes, depending on your answers, it might make more sense to shuffle them around."

"That's fine as long as you don't make the answers change their meaning when you switch it up." 

"I can't do anything that you didn't agree to when you signed the agreement." Brian looked at Chuck, "I think we are ready."

Brian went into reporter mode. He smiled at the camera and said, "Today I have the privilege of being in the studio of Justin Taylor. I am sure you have all seen his work in the paper and on TV due to his recent sale of one of his masterpieces."

Justin interrupted, "I don't think I would call it a masterpiece. Van Gogh painted masterpieces.  I paint things that interest me, and thankfully, others seem to like them too."

"So, Justin, I happen to know where you went to school because we attended the same high school here in the city. I believe that is where your real interest in art began."

"Well, I don't know. I think that my love for art started long before high school. I loved going to the museums here in the city and thankfully I had the chance to do that frequently."

"Did your parents take you?" Brian added as an addition to the question.

"I will not answer that question. I told you, nothing about family."

"Justin, how hard will it be for people to look up your parents? Don't you want to tell them whatever there is to tell."

"There is nothing to tell. Drop it Kinney!"

"Didn't your father leave the family once you came out and ..." Before he could go any further,  they all felt the building below them tremble. "What the hell?"

Justin looked at Brian, "The universe is warning you and now I am. Change the subject or you are out of here. Chuck, stay and get the shots, and I will answer the questions without you. "

"Come on, that's a mistake."

Chuck pulled his phone out of his pocket, "Brian, it's the station. It sounds like whatever happened is big." He started pulling out a couple camera attachments from a case. "They want me to be the first photographer there. If it is really big, I'll text and we will have to reschedule. Brad said if I can't come back, you should pack up the equipment and take it with you."

Before Brian could say a word, Chuck was gone. Justin left the room to see if they could see anything out the window. They could hear Chuck's footsteps and then they looked at each other when they heard a much louder bang than they expected.

"Oh, shit!" Justin said.

"What was that?"

"If I'm not mistaken, that was the old, overhead security gate. It has been stuck for the three years I have been here." Justin headed toward the windows in his workroom.  Holy shit!  It looks like a bomb hit. I can't decide if there is a fire or just dust." 

Brian walked up behind him and rested his hand on Justin's shoulders as he looked out.  "Woah. I should get out there... although it is really gross out there."

"It doesn't matter. If it was that gate that we heard, we aren't going anywhere until the landlord lets us out." Justin started texting just as the electricity flickered and then went out.

"What next?"

"We may not be able to leave but at least we seem to be relatively comfortable and in a secure building." He looked back out at the city and softly said, "This looks really bad."

"What are we supposed to do in here? I could get an audio interview and..."

"You can pack up your equipment and leave me alone until my landlord gets us out of here.  This interview is over."

 

The next half hour Brian moved all the equipment out of the windowless room before the weak sunlight was totally gone. In the meantime, Justin had located a lantern he had, as well as extra batteries. He was glad when he moved to his apartment he only took a few of his personal items with him. He left all the household things where they were.

After he located the lantern, he realized he hadn't heard from the landlord.  He went back and looked at the chaos below.  He couldn't see the actual site of the commotion but he could see the fire trucks and police vehicles everywhere.  He picked up his phone and noticed he had missed a message from the landlord. "Shit," he said under his breath.

"When are they getting us out of here?" Justin hadn't noticed Brian walk up.

"Landlord says they won't let him near the building. We are in a zone that has been blocked off due to the explosion." Justin said and started texting back.

"NO! We are in the danger area and they won't get us out?" Brian pulled out his own phone and started texting. "Brad will get someone over here."

Justin read the text that just came in, "They say we are safe where we are so they will not send anyone in."

"FUCK!" Brian shouted.

"Do you have to yell everything? You're not impressing anyone here with your bluster."

Before Brian could respond, a flash outside got both of their attention. In awe they watched the building that had been blocking their view crumble into a heap.  There was now one block between them and the catastrophe. 

Brian softly said, "Shit, they said we were safe, right?"

"Ya, they did." Justin pulled out his phone but it now said ‘no service'. "Do you have service?" Brian shook his head. "I think the local tower was on the building that crumbled."

"What should we do?" 

"I'm going to pack up some of my paintings. Some of these have been commissioned and if something happens to the building, maybe they will survive in packing."

"How can you be so calm?" Brian started out louder but softened it as he spoke.

"I'm not, but it won't help to yell." 

Justin started to walk away but Brian stopped him. "Need some help?"

"Up to you." 

"What can I do?" Justin pointed to several canvases and he wrapped them before Justin slipped them into a shipping crate. Soon there were six crates full and positioned under the staircase that led up to the loft. "Thanks. I know this may sound backwards but it is getting dark and if we go upstairs the lantern will be more effective. It is a much smaller area."

"I don't think being eight feet higher will make a difference." The two went up the short set of stairs.

"What is this spot? It looks like a flop house?"

"It was my home until two months ago. I couldn't afford a fancy loft like you live in."

"But now you live in a great location."

"Artists are always one project away from having everything or moving back in here." Justin set the lantern down on a small table and then sat on the edge of the bed. Out of habit, he looked at his phone. "Hey, I've got a bar up here." He pushed some buttons and Brian could tell he was reading a news brief. "It says they don't expect anymore destruction but this part of the city is on lockdown."

"What a great choice of words!" Brian said sarcastically. "We are literally locked in." 

Justin put his phone away and picked up a magazine that was on the crate he had used for a night stand. Brian sat down but then stood up and started pacing. He would look out the window and then check his phone and then he would circle the room again. "Are you going to do this all night?"

"Is there some reason you hate my guts?"

"Well, it isn't like you are a ray of warm sunlight on a cloudy day. We had barely started the interview when you broke the agreement." His tone was low and flat.

"I'm a reporter. You didn't expect me to let you go without trying."

"So, is it fun to prod people until you bring out the dirty little secrets they may have? Do you enjoy making people feel pain? Well, first of all, I'm not going to tell you shit about my family. It wouldn't hurt me but I refuse to let you stir up history for my mother and sister."

Brian took a deep breath and finally sat down in an old, overstuffed chair that had lost its legs. "Someone would miss you if something happened to you."

"Don't try to tell me the great Brian Kinney is all alone. I have seen you in the local celebrity gossip columns. You go out with more men in a month than I do in a year."

"I have a lot of sex, but none of them are waiting for me. I bet someone is waiting for you."

"What about Mikey? He was never far from you in school."

"He's still around but we have basically gone our own way. He wants married life and is getting close to it." He looked over at Justin who was now reclined on the bed. "Were you stalking me? We weren't in the same section of the building very often."

"Actually, I took a couple advanced math classes the second semester of my freshman year. I saw you every day. I always wondered how you did it."

"Did what?"

"How did you not give a shit about anything?"

"You've got to care about something to give a shit. Mikey and his mom were the closest thing I had to a real family. They are quirky but they cared about me.

"How about you?"

"You don't give up, do you?" Justin nearly shouted.

"Fuck, I'm just trying to make the best of a bad situation!" Brian said. "Is the water safe to drink here?"

"I think there is water in the fridge and an extra case of water under the sink if there is none in the fridge." He thought for a second, "The refrigerator should still be cold now."

Brian came back a minute later with a bottle for each of them. As he dropped back into the chair, Justin softly said, "I'm sorry. You didn't deserve that. I am sure my mom is going crazy and Daph is probably at her house trying to calm her even though she is just as crazy."

"Is that the same chick you were in high school with?"

"Yes. She has a journalism degree, too. She works for an online news service. She investigates business owners that are working below the law."

"Did you say Daphne? I think I have read some of her work. Brad, my producer, has shown me her work." Brian took a long swallow and then said, "Did you say you have a sister?" He saw the look on Justin's face and then said, "Off the record.  I just can't deal with the silence."

"Yes, she is in college."

"And your father?"

"He left when I came out. He checked on me after I got bashed but he basically said I should have expected it. You don't have a family?"

"I don't have a family I associate with. They couldn't deal with me when they didn't know I was gay. Once they found out, well, let's just say it didn't change for the better."

"So not giving a shit was really a ruse." 

Brian stood up and then walked to the window. Changing the subject he said, "Wonder what is actually going on down there?"

"I don't know. What do you see?"

"I see a fire burning but it is small and I can see it is under control."

Justin commented, "That's good. Did you ever want to be a fireman?"

"I wanted a fireman. Does that count?"

"I am sure you have had your share and mine, too."

"You know who was built like a fireman? Our P.E. teacher. He was built like a..."

"I'm going to go check what I have for food in this place." He picked up the lantern. "I'm going to need this."

Brian watched him walk away. Justin Taylor was definitely a perfect package. Bad choice of words, now all he wanted to do was see his package. He now had a goal for the night. He was going to find out what was filling out those trousers before he left this place.

Justin stood in the kitchen and opened the cupboards. P.E. teacher. He hadn't thought of that fucker in years and he could have gone the rest of his life without having the memory of that bastard back in his head. Damn, he really did hate that man. 

As Justin pulled out a box of crackers, he also found a brick of cheese, a jar of peanut butter, and a packet of tuna. It wasn't much but it was better than nothing. As he started to shut the doors he noticed several bottles of cheap whiskey on the top shelf. Maybe he could get him drunk and he would shut up. All he wanted was for this conversation to stop and this nightmare to be over.

 

Chapter 2 by Simply written

 

Chapter 2

 

"Not much here for dinner but I have some crackers, peanut butter,  cheese, and tuna." Justin came in with a plate in one hand and the bottle of whiskey and glasses in the other. He set them on the table. "I need to get the lantern." 

When Justin came back from the kitchen, Brian had moved to the table. Brian watched him walk across the small loft. Damn, he had grown up beautiful. In high school, even at 14 he had been cute, but now... 

"I keep some snacks for lunch." He set the food and drink on the table. "I didn't realize this was still in the cabinet. It is rot gut but it was what I could afford when I lived up here."

"Thanks. Do you mind?" Brian nodded toward the bottle.

"Help yourself." 

Brian poured them each a glass and recapped the bottle. They ate in silence for a couple minutes before he said, "I saw your reaction when I mentioned Caleb, Coach Franklin. You knew him well?"

Justin drained the glass in front of him and refilled it. "He was my swimming coach." He took another big swallow of the amber liquid.

"Was he a good one?"

"I haven't thought of him in years." He changed the subject. "I have a feeling we will be here all night. We should probably both try to text once more and let them let whoever know we are fine for the night. We won't starve and, although it is getting a little cool, we won't freeze. There are blankets around here."

"Ya, is that bed comfortable?"

"It isn't bad. Who's sleeping on the floor?"

"Come on, we can share a bed without fucking, although if you are up for that, I'm always game."

"I am sure you are." Justin looked down at the plate of food which was now nearly empty. He pushed the plate toward Brian. "I've had enough." He stood with his glass and walked over to the window. He stared out at the rescue operation. "I wonder how many died?" He emptied the glass again.

"I didn't expect you to be a heavy drinker."

"Oh, shit, now that will be in the final interview."

"No, Justin. Tonight is off the record. I promise. When we actually have the interview, I will clear everything before it is broadcasted." 

Justin nodded, "I usually don't drink this much, although I am an artist and we all have our moments."

"What's causing this one?"

"So tell me about this family that isn't family."

"Shit, they aren't worth the breath but here is the short version. Dad was a bully and a homophobe. Died of cancer last year and don't say sorry. The only grieving I did was for a father I never had. Mom, also a homophobe, knows I am bound for hell because I screw men. She was a bitch even before she knew I was gay."

"No siblings?"

"I have a sister but she ‘belonged'. I never did."

"And that's where Mikey's mom came into play?"

"Ya, Deb is way out there but she knows how to love."

"She still is at the diner, isn't she? It's been a while since I was there but if I am around there I'll stop for a meal." He held out his glass and Brian emptied the bottle into it. "There's plenty more in the kitchen." Justin dropped into the broken chair Brian had been in earlier. "So, why wouldn't you join the diversity club when we were in school?" 

"I am not and never have been a joiner. They are always trying to get me to become part of the LGBTQ center."

"I have helped them out a few times. I've never seen you there." Justin wanted a fight but Brian didn't seem to be taking the bait.

"I am a man that happens to be gay. I'm a man first. I have a normal life. So many of those people are gay first." Brian stopped for a second. "I have drunk more than I realized.  I'm not sure that makes sense to me."

Justin took a breath looking for a rude comeback but instead said, "I do get that. I support the group but don't feel a real part of it. They do good for the community, gay and straight."

"Ya, I support them heavily through a business front. Damn, here I go telling you shit again. Have you ever thought about becoming a TV journalist?" Brian got up, and taking the lantern with him, walked into the kitchen. Justin heard him open a few doors before he heard the clinking of glass and then heard Brian coming back. "I know we haven't set up sleeping arrangements yet but it's getting cold in here." Brian slid under the top blanket and pulled it up to his armpits. He opened the new bottle and filled his glass. "You may as well join me. It will be a lot easier to share this." He raised the bottle. Justin hesitated. "I'm not going to jump your ass unless you want me to."

Justin walked to the other side of the bed and slipped in next to him. Brian pulled the blanket up on Justin's chest. He filled Justin's glass again and for the next thirty minutes they talked about people they both remembered from high school and then it moved to teachers.  

"Did you know Caleb Franklin well?" Justin was really drunk by now and was losing his inhibitions.

"Well, he was the first blowjob I gave."

"When you were a jr. high student?"

"Actually I was a freshman. I guess he was in the building because he was the swim coach."

"There has to be a story. What happened?" Justin moved so his shoulder bumped Brian's.

"I had forgotten my gym shoes in my locker. I went in after school and Caleb was standing in the shower room. That man was built like a lean fireman. All upper body strength and a perfect ass. I just went into the shower, clothes and all, and dropped to my knees."

"And he didn't stop you?"

"Fuck no. He actually told me what to do, not that I needed much help of course," Brian added with a cockiness to his voice.

"Now that's the Kinney I remember. You weren't afraid of anything. Was it a one time thing?

"It occurred a few times. I was afraid we would get caught but I wasn't afraid of him."

"Did you have feelings for him?"

"Not really. I rarely allowed myself to have emotional feelings. I would have to deal with them on my own. I didn't have mommy to run home to."

"Do you really think I ran home when he did it to me?" As the words came out of his mouth he jumped out of the bed and walked back to the window. "There are less trucks out there. I hope that means they have found everyone. At least the main building..."

Brian had walked up behind Justin and put his hands on Justin's shoulders. In a voice more gentle than he had ever heard Brian Kinney use, either on camera or off he said, "What did Caleb do to you?"

"See, there is a lot less activity." He was kicking himself for bringing Coach Franklin up.

Brian turned him around, "Justin, I don't know you well but, from what I do know, you are a very strong man. I remember your attack a little bit, and for this interview I read the news articles. You fought your way back and when Hobbs was found not guilty you pursued a civil suit."

He looked into Brian's eyes, "That was actually my father's doing. I wanted to let it go. Money is his god and the most important thing in his life. He wanted millions. We got enough to pay off the hospital bills and for me to go to college. Luckily the courts directed the money specifically. I doubt I would have seen it if they hadn't."

Brian led them both back to the bed and refilled both their glasses, hoping it would give Justin the courage to continue. "Justin, what happened with Franklin?" He took Justin's hand in his own and squeezed it gently.

"The only person that knows this story is Daphne." Justin downed the glass and began. "It was my freshman year, the only year I swam. One day after practice it was my turn to collect the towels in the pool. He asked me to do a couple extra things he usually didn't have my teammates do. I didn't think anything about it until I walked into the locker room and the last of the guys was walking out the door to the hallway." Brian refilled his glass, knowing he needed the liquid courage. As he was listening, he was writing the exclusive in his mind. "I entered the shower and the next thing I knew he was in there, naked."

Brian was a bit stunned.  As a freshman he was ready for sex and it was his choice. He could tell it wasn't the same for Justin. "What happened?"

"He gave me a blowjob as I rested against the wall. I didn't want it. I was scared." He took another swallow and felt his thoughts drift. 

"Did he..."

"I cried. I cried like a five year old as his hand moved between my legs and he started massaging my asshole. I started to beg..."

Brian quickly set the glass down and pulled Justin into his arms and let him cry until he passed out. When Brian was sure he wasn't going to wake up, he moved out of bed and, taking the lantern, went down to the studio. It was cold down there without Justin's warm body. He located a notebook and jotted down what he had just heard. He knew he had drunk a lot and was afraid by morning he may not remember the details but he knew he remembered it all now.

 

It was about 6:00 when Brian heard the shower running. The horizon was pink and orange as the sun crept upward in the sky. He burrowed deeper in the blankets. He would kill for a cup of coffee. He heard the water stop and a couple minutes later Justin stepped out with a large towel, covered with paint stains, wrapped around his waist. 

"Hey, you're awake. I just heard the furnace kick in, which means we should have power. I'm going to get dressed and then I'll make some coffee. I know my pants would be too short for you but if you want to look in the dresser over there you should be able to find a T-shirt or sweatshirt. It may be old but it is all clean."

Justin grabbed some clothes that he had laid on a chair and as he walked back to the bathroom the towel slipped off his ass. "Oh, oops," Justin said looking over his shoulder. "I didn't mean to do that. I'll be out in two and get the coffee made."

"Damn," Brian whispered. He realized he was one of the most beautiful men he had ever seen. He could now feel the place warming up a bit and he walked over to the dresser. He was glad he had slipped his pants off when he had gotten in bed last night. He found a long sleeve t-shirt and pulled out a pair of briefs and some socks. He was sure the sleeves would be a little short but he could push them up and then put on his jacket.

When Justin came out of the bathroom he found Brian, standing naked in the bedroom, just pulling on a pair of Justin's briefs. He glanced over his shoulder. "Sorry, I'm not bashful."

"I...I'll start the coffee." He knew Brian Kinney was built well but seeing the whole back view he was sure the front was just as good if not better. He moved into the kitchen and ground some coffee while the water heated. Once it was hot he warmed the French press and emptied it before adding the grounds and the freshly boiled water. As the coffee steeped he started looking around the kitchen. He had bread in the freezer he pulled out and there was a jar of peanut butter and strawberry jam in the refrigerator. He took out the powdered creamer. Then he took one more look in the freezer and found some sausage and hashbrowns. The sausages were pre cooked so he focussed on the hash browns and threw the sausage in the microwave and he was pouring the first cup of coffee when Brian strode in.

He took the cup out of Justin's hands and took a sip. "Sure, take the first cup. I will pour one for myself, too."

"Oh, sorry.  Do you want it?"

"No, take it. It was all made at the same time. Do you want to be in charge of toast? I found sausage and hashbrowns too."

"Wow, it is rare for me to eat this much. Did you happen to have any text make it through?"

"I plugged it before my shower. The battery had died. I need to take a look as soon as I flip the hashbrowns. Once he had, he went back into the bedroom. He looked at his phone and walked back to the kitchen. "Looks like we should be out of here later this morning.  The repairman is supposed to be here by 10:00." He checked the sausage and it was hot. "How's the toast?"

 

They ate breakfast and were finishing just as they heard the workman downstairs. "Would you mind seeing if he needs anything from us?"

"Sure." Brian headed to the door.

"Brian, you might want this." He tossed Brian his jacket and a piece of paper fluttered to the ground as Brian caught it. Justin picked it up and said, "What's this?" He saw his name on the page. 

"Justin, that isn't what you think. I..."

"You fucker! After all that, ‘everything's off the record' shit you took notes last night. Get the hell out of here. Take your equipment and be the first one out that door. I never want to see you again."

Brian tried to say something but realized Justin was too angry right now to listen. "Justin, I'll call you and thanks for everything." As Justin hurled a vase at the door, Brian pulled it shut behind him.

 

A week later Justin's agent called him, "Justin, I know you don't want anything to do with Brian Kinney but the producer says you have a contract and too much has already been shot with Kinney to switch it out now."

"What will they charge us if I refuse?" Justin asked.

"Justin, if you don't complete the interview, they can use anything they have dug up on you. If you break the contract they can break their end of it. I know there were quite a few things you had blocked."

"Shit. When do they want to finish this?"

"They said they could do it tomorrow."

"I don't want him at my studio again. I will go into the studio."

"Ok, they said they didn't care because they got all the shots they needed at the studio. Can you be there at 1:00?"

"Yes, I'll be there and then I will never speak to that man again."

"Did you two screw that night? Why are you so pissed at him?"

"God, no, we didn't have sex. Just the thought of him touching me..." He shivered. "Let's just say this goes a lot further back and time hasn't changed anything."

"Whatever. Just play nice with him so this interview creates the right stir."

"I'm a professional. My personal feelings will not show, on camera anyway."

 

Brian was nervous. The interview was really scheduled for 2:00 but he wanted to talk to him beforehand.  He hoped he could explain why he had written down the notes Justin had seen. How could he convince him the notes were for his lawyer friend, Mel? He was sure she would help prosecute Caleb Franklin. With testimony from both of them, he would be charged as a pedophile. And once it came out, he wondered how many other boys and men would join in.

Prompt and reliable as always, Justin arrived at the studio and was sent to a dressing room. He walked in expecting to see a makeup artist but instead he found Brian. "No fucking..." before Justin could finish his sentense, Brian had stepped between Justin and the door."

"Please sit down. I need to explain."

"There is nothing for you to explain. I got drunk. That's on me, but you made sure you had notes, even though you said you wouldn't use anything I said."

"That wasn't my plan. I had never thought about the fact that Caleb may have done the same thing to someone else. Or that someone could have really been hurt by him. I had put it in the past until you talked about it."

"And I am supposed to believe that after all this time, you are now thinking about doing something? You never really said what else happened with him. Did you actually have sex with him?"

"In the end, no pun intended, we did have full blown sex. It happened over about three months."

"Why didn't you do this years ago?" Justin asked.

"Why didn't you?"

"Because I didn't want my mom to find out about it. You didn't answer the question."

"It wasn't worth the bother. At the time I enjoyed it and didn't realize it was probably wrong. I started it." 

"Are you sure you started it or did he set it up some way? Maybe he had just preyed on someone else." They were both quiet for a moment and then Justin said, "Can we just get this interview over? Nothing personal but I don't trust you so just want this done. And don't forget I get to review the interview before it is shown." Justin was professional and had no emotion in it.

Brian started to make a comment but thought better of it. "I'll send the makeup artist in and check if they are ready for us on set." As he left him in front of the mirror, Brian knew this wasn't over. Maybe he could find some other students that had been used by Franklin. He had realized that since the night with Justin, the events had been bothering him. Could an old trauma be triggered by a new one? Could that be why he had been having trouble sleeping?

The interview went smoothly and once they said cut, Brian said, "Thanks for coming in. I will send you the interview as soon as editing is through. You said your friend, Daphne, was an investigative reporter. Could I have her number? I plan to pursue Caleb Franklin and would like your friend to collaborate with me."

"I will run it past her, but I think she will be game. Once I get her approval I will send you her number. Just remember I want nothing to do with this."

"I understand. I just want him to pay for the hurt he has caused. If you and I found each other, how many others are there?" 

 

As promised, Justin received a copy of the interview two days later and he was very impressed with the way it had been put together. He was very impressed with the cameraman's video of his work. He had really gotten the lighting and angles right. Now that he has seen the final version, he called Daphne to see if she was interested in working with Brian.

"Hey, Justin, have you recovered from your captivity? We need to have dinner, are you free tonight?"

"Sounds good. How about going to the Liberty Diner. I know it's a dump but I am hungry for real diner food."

"Sure, it's been a while since I have had a heart clogging meal. I deserve it. Is 6:30 too early?"

"I can pick you up."

"No, but I will take a ride home. I will come straight from work. This will make my day go faster. I will..."

"Wait, Daph, I was calling to ask you something. Brian Kinney wants your help with a project. I wanted to talk to you before giving him your number."

Justin could hear the excitement in her voice. "What's the project? Do you know what this could do for my career?"

"Remember, it's Kinney. I still don't trust him."

"Have you seen the interview? Did he put something in he shouldn't?"

"No, it is really good. I'll show you tonight."

"Just give me his number. I'll give him a call and, yes, I will remember it's Brian Kinney. You know I wasn't impressed with him in high school either but he has a respected name in the business and I would love to have an in at his station."

"See you tonight. I'll text his number to you and yours to him."

 

Daphne didn't waste time. She immediately called Brian. Not only did she want to work with the station but she wanted to find out what the project was. She was sure she heard a little reluctance in Justin's voice. She hit send and heard a connection on the other end. Of course she got his voice mail and it was full. She ended the call as she said, out loud, "You'd think a reporter would keep his voicemail up to date." She lived and worked through her phone so she was always listening and moving her messages around. 

Before she could even set her phone down it rang. She answered, "Daphne Chanders"

"Daphne, sorry I missed your call. This is Brian Kinney. My shit phone isn't working right and won't let me delete my messages. I have a new one that should be here today."

"I figured as a reporter you usually had it empty."

"I do. Part of the business, right?" Brian cleared his throat and continued. "Thanks for calling.  Do you have time to meet today? I think it would be easier if I could show you what I am looking into. I have seen your work and you are good. I am sure you have methods I don't know about since it isn't my specialty."

"What is your schedule like today?"

"Most of my time is scheduled in the office today. Do you think you could stop by here around 2:00 or 3:00?"

"I can be there at around 3:00. I might be a few minutes late but I think I will make it."

"I will be here until at least 5:00. I have a show to prepare for tomorrow so I will be here."

 

Daphne looked at her watch. It was almost noon. She wanted to do a little research on Brian Kinney. Not the public persona, but his private life. By 3:00, when she walked into the station, she had a much better idea of what made this man tick. She waited for a couple minutes before a man, barely out of high school appeared.

"Ms. Chanders, I'm Brian's intern. I'll take you to his office."

Daphne followed the intern through a maze of hallways and then into an office. She instantly could feel Brian's influence here. She was surprised to see a workman hanging a new painting in the small waiting room. She recognized it as one of Justin's right away. As she watched the painting being placed on the wall, she heard someone clear their throat behind her. She turned to find Brian Kinney standing in the doorway to the inner office.

"He is really talented, but you already knew that," Brian said as he gestured to the painting now being straightened on the wall.

"Yes, Justin has always been talented and has only gotten better over time." 

"Thanks, George. It looks great." Brian said to the guy hanging the picture. "Let's go to my office and talk."

Daphne followed close behind, "I am curious what this is about." Brian led the way and she followed. Justin didn't tell me what you are investigating."

"When I tell you, I am sure you will know he doesn't want any part of this but he is fine with us looking into it."

"Brian, does this have anything to do with his swim coach?"

Brian looked surprised. "How did you know that?"

"I know how much that upset him, but I also know he never thought Jennifer, his mom, could handle it." 

"Do you think she could have handled it?"

"At the time, it might have been really hard on her but it might have brought Justin to admit he was gay a little earlier."

"Does he think she'll freak out?"

"She probably would have when it happened, but now... maybe he is a little embarrassed he didn't tell her and I don't think he wants others to know it happened. How did you find out about it? I can't imagine he just told you."

"Coach Franklin came up in the conversation and I saw him react. It wasn't until much later in the evening that he told me about the encounter."

"How drunk was he?"

"Very, and I told none of this would end up in the interview and it didn't. I just want to find the guy and make him pay for his crimes."

"Brian, are you one of the victims?"

"I never thought of myself as a victim. I won't bore you with the details, but I was a lot more brash than most 14 year olds, but when I think about it now, what was he doing with a 14 year old?"

"So what do you want from me?"

"I am sure I can track Franklin down, but I need help with finding other students. I already have the years he taught here but, you and I both know, if it happened here, it happened in other places he taught, too."

Daphne had been scribbling notes as he talked. "I'm in. I will help with this no matter what you say next, but I want you to know I would be interested in working here. My current job has no place for me to go. I'm a good reporter. Will you give me a recommendation if something opens up?"

"If you are as good as I expect you to be, I will make them hire you. That might mean you start as my assistant, but that would just be the starting point."

"I'm good with that."

Brian spent the next half hour filling Daphne in with the details he knew so far. They agreed to get together later that week with anything they found. As Daph started putting her notepad back in her bag, Brian asked, "Justin said he didn't have a boyfriend right now."

"Right now? He has only had a boyfriend a couple times but he is probably too choosy. The longest he was with someone was about six months. I know you are out there all the time. It is public knowledge. That's not how Justin works. I'm not saying he doesn't find sex from time to time, but he wants a long term relationship eventually. His thought is quality not quantity." She looked at him. "That doesn't mean your way of life is wrong. I am just telling you what Justin's thought process is."

"I'll be in touch. Will sometime Friday work for you?"

"Yes, any time after lunch."

"Daphne, he intrigues me." Brian was very serious when he said it.

"I think you have his best interest at heart, but if you ever hurt him, I will blow you out of the water."

Brian opened his mouth and shut it again. He couldn't imagine hurting Justin. He was like a ray of light in an uncertain world. Shit, where did that thought come from? Brian Kinney doesn't have those kinds of thoughts. Brian Kinney was never going to want to settle down, was he?

 

Chapter 3 by Simply written

 

Chapter 3

 

Justin arrived before Daphne and sat down in a booth at the back. "Now you're a blast from the past," Debbie said as she walked up with a menu. "It's Justin, right?"

"Debbie, you have an amazing memory."

"Not for everyone, but I knew you were going to make something of yourself and you have. I saw that painting you sold. What are you doing in a place like this? You could eat at any restaurant in town."

"Well, Debbie, I needed some comfort food and a place to meet..." he waved at Daphne as she walked in. "... an old friend."

"I'll bring another water and a menu."

"Why don't you throw some of those onion rings in for us." Justin stood to greet Daph.

Debbie patted her arm and said, "I'll be right back." 

The old friends hugged and sat in the booth. "Did I hear you order onion rings?"

"You did. I don't know when I had them last but I remember how good they were here."

Debbie came back with another water and a second menu. "I have the rings in. What would you two like, or do you want to look at the menu?"

"What's tonight's special?"

"Tuna noodle casserole and a lemon square for dessert." Debbie commented.

"I'll have that. Daph, do you want more time? And a diet soda."

"No, I'll have a burger with everything. I'll have diet soda, too."

"You got it. Rings are on their way." As she walked away one of the young men that worked there came out with the onion rings and then returned with their sodas.

"So, I saw Brian today."

"Oh, yeah, and he told you what he wants you to do?" Justin picked up an onion ring and bit into it. "Try one."

Daph tried one herself," Oh, these are good." Then she went on, "He did. Are you alright with me doing this?"

"Well, he seems to be set on doing it and if you are helping you will be able to keep me totally out of it."

"Justin, he can't use anyone who doesn't agree. You were a minor."

Their food was delivered along with a plate with two lemon squares on it. "Debbie, I didn't order..." Daph started to say.

"No, but you'll want a bite and no one shares these." Debbie winked at Justin and walked over to the next booth for another order. 

As they ate their meals, Daphne watched the video with earbuds in. "He did a great job. You never told me what all happened the night of the explosion."

"Not much to share. I can tell you we are two very different people and I respect him because, although he does it behind the scenes, he helps a lot of people and organizations but we have nothing in common."

As Daphne took a big bite of her burger she realized she saw a lot of similarities between the two. Once she swallowed the bite she said, "How's your special?"

"It is really good. I know it seems like a weird thing to order but there is something comforting about it."

"Comforting?"

"I‘m not sure but I have to admit that ever since I was trapped in the studio..."

"Have you talked to someone?"

"No, it will..." A pan in the kitchen banged loudly and Justin nearly jumped out of his seat. 

"Woah, Justin, it's okay.  If you're done eating, let's take these lemon squares to go. We can have a drink at my place, where it is quiet."

They both ate a few more bites and then they stood up. "Debbie, could we have a to-go box for our dessert?"

"Sure," Debbie took the plate and placed the treats in the box at the cash register and Justin paid for the food, giving Debbie a $50 bill and told her to keep the change.

"Thank you! You are a breath of sunshine. Come back soon. I've missed that smile." Debbie said as they walked out.

Justin held onto Daphne's hand tightly as they walked to his car. "I hate this feeling. It reminds me of after the bashing. I keep wondering what is next?"

After arriving at Daphne's place, she opened a bottle of wine and poured some for both of them. They sat together on the sofa. "Justin, you need to talk to someone. You have had another major trauma, making it three times, and you cope well, most of the time, but it is time for you to talk to someone that can help."

"I'm fine, really."

"Justin, you know I love you, right?"

"Of course! You are my best friend and you are always there for me."

"Justin, after the bashing eight years ago, I noticed small changes but I thought that could be because of the brain injury. You were so brave and you completed your degree and now look at you. An almost famous artist." Daphne hugged him tight. "I don't want to lose this Justin.  Please, talk to someone. I know someone. I'll make the appointment. I'll go with you if you want me to. Please..." the tears she had been holding back now slipped out of the corners of her eyes.

"Awe, Daph, don't cry. I'm fine. I..." he stopped talking and held onto her tight. He began to tremble a little so she tightened her arms around him and they ended up rocking gently. Several minutes later Justin spoke again. "I need to see where all this is going with you and Kinney.  I know I haven't been myself but I need this to just... Maybe after your investigation..."

"Justin, go now. It will make you stronger for all the rest."

"I promise I'll really think about it. I should go."

"You should not go. You aren't in any shape to drive." She stood and offered her hand. "We're going to bed and you can drive home in the morning."

"You've always wanted to get me back in bed," Justin said, giving her a weak smile. 

"Shut up and leave your boxers on."

They both got in bed and Daph kissed his cheek. "Good night."

Justin laid a hand on the side of her face and said, "Daphne, I love you. Thank you for caring."

"I love you, too, Justin." She wrapped her arms around him and they went to sleep.

By the time Daphne woke up, Justin had left. He had put a note on her table thanking her for sharing her bed and he would call her later. She made coffee for herself and then sat down, opened her laptop, got out her notes from yesterday's meeting, and started her research.  

 

On Friday, Daphne headed to Brian's loft. She tried calling Justin again. She had not heard from him since their dinner. She wasn't really worried because when he was in the groove of a project it could be days but after their dinner out she had to admit she wished he would contact her. She was sure he would feel better if he talked to someone. The trauma he had suffered in his life had to always be on his mind and there had been a few times he admitted it to her but the fact Brian was now digging up the past, was not going to be easy for him. Her biggest hope was they would find Caleb Franklin and get him put away, hopefully for the rest of his life. She left Justin another message, this time saying she was stopping at the studio on her way back and if he wouldn't be there to let her know. She knew she might go out of her way but she needed to hear from him. 

Brian buzzed Daphne in and she took the elevator up to his loft. "Hey, Daphne, any trouble finding the place?" He kissed her cheek and waved her in.

"The Uber had no trouble. You haven't had contact with Justin have you?"

"No, why?" Brian stopped and gave her his full attention.

"It is probably all in my head but I haven't heard from him since the day we met and he hasn't responded to any of my messages. Now if he has a project going that isn't unheard of but he usually asks me to bring him food or something."

"Why haven't you checked on him?" Daphne didn't miss his concern. "Sorry, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. I know the crazy building collapse shook me up, and although he seemed very calm during the event, I now see he probably had to shut down to cope."

"I agree. I am afraid he isn't responding to my calls because I told him he should talk to someone."

"What did he say to that?"

"He said he would see where our research went. Speaking of research, have you found Franklin?"

"I am waiting for verification but I think I have found him. There was no Caleb Franklin but there  happened to be two Calab Franken's. I am just waiting to see images of them and see if one of them is the coach."

"I am sure you will recognize him."

"Especially if they have pictures of his cock," Brian said with a laugh but then sobered up. "That would have been funny before I realized he preyed on many others."

Daphne looked stonily at him for a minute. "Now, do you want to see what I found?"

The next two hours they reviewed students, now adults, that had made complaints during the time Caleb Franklin taught in Pittsburgh. She had seen that he rarely spent more than three years at one school before moving within the system. He left the area once he had taught in 4 high schools. Records said he left the country and then she hadn't been able to track him yet.  She had actually run into the same issue Brian had. She wasn't sure which Caleb Franklin to track. Two men named Caleb Franken came back to the states at the same time.  

"I realized these two men came back the same day and literally the same time.  They returned from the same country but landed on two different coasts. Do you think they could have cloned a passport and somehow, because it was the same time, they outsmarted the system?"

"Wow, Daph, do you think they could really do that?"

"I spoke to someone that worked for customs and he said it couldn't happen today because they have improved the system but five years ago, if they timed it right, he thinks they would have thought it was a glitch. Oh, I forgot to mention that the airport codes were very similar. They  probably thought it was just a system error."

"You are better than I thought. This is excellent work. By Monday I should have the correct man identified. Have you started calling complainants yet?"

"No. I needed to make sure that you had found out the same thing, and now I will start the search on this end while you pursue the despicable bastard."

After another half hour wrapping up details, Daphne stood and checked her phone once more. "I am going to check on Justin."

"Let me drive you. I'd like to try to convince him to..."

"Brian, I will gladly take the ride and of course you can talk to him but, please, don't push him.  I don't think he is ready to face it yet. I will keep working on the counseling angle."

"Daphne, I hope you trust me enough by now that you know I wouldn't hurt him." They left the loft and moved toward his car.

"I am getting there on the trust thing." Brian opened the door to his car and she got in. When he got behind the wheel, Daph continued. "What is your interest in him? Are you impressed with his talent and want to help promote that? Does the investigation keep you interested, or is this something more personal?"

Brian stopped at a red light and glanced her way, "You really are up in his business and now mine, I guess."

"Well, why are you interested?"

"If I am totally honest, I'm still not sure. I am not the type to settle down but I have found myself more interested in staying home and looking at his art than spending the night at the club. Not only is he really talented but he is so fucking gorgeous. I just want to..."

"Enough, Brian. I really don't want to think about the nefarious activities you would like to do with him. He will have sex from time to time with a hook up for a night but he won't go beyond that unless he thinks there's a chance it could become something more. He does not have casual short term relationships."

"You told me that before. I can't say I want a long term relationship with anyone right now but I can assure you I don't need to force him to have sex with me. I always have several numbers I can call and have someone at the loft within half an hour."

As he pulled into the studio parking lot, Daph got a message from Justin. "Can you meet me at the diner in thirty minutes?"

"Do you know the Liberty Diner?"

"I just about grew up there. Is Justin there?"

"He will be. I just got a dinner invitation."

"Are you going to tell him I will be there?"

"No. I want him to show up, and right now I don't know if he would, if he knew you were coming along."

Brian shrugged, "Ya, I can see that. Let's go." He pulled out onto the road and then said, "Daph, do I look okay?"

Daphne smiled, "Brian, you always look great."

 

By the time Justin arrived Brian and Daphne were in the same booth she and Justin used last time. Debbie had also sat down next to Daph leaving only the spot next to Brian open. "Looks like your sunshine has arrived. You know, Brian, this one is..."

Daphne cut Debbie off, "Justin, Brian happened to be driving me when you texted so I invited him along." Justin slipped into the seat next to Brian leaving space between them.

"I'll put in an order of onion rings and be right back with the menus," Debbie said as she stood, winked at Brian, and moved toward the kitchen.

Justin looked tired and more disheveled than Daphne had seen him. Brian saw the strain on his face, but had to admit, the growth of beard and unkempt hair made him all the more sexy to him. "I hope you don't mind that I'm here. Daph was worried about you. She said you had been ignoring her calls."

"What are you now, her personal muscle? Or are you just trying to get me to change my mind about giving an interview for the Coach Franklin thing." Justin snapped, looking first at Daphne and then turned to face Brian.

"Justin, that isn't it at all. Brian knew I was concerned about you. I have been trying to get a hold of you for days and you kept ignoring me." Daph locked eyes with him. 

Justin slouched a little. "Sorry, I have just been absorbed by this project." He quickly added, "And don't have time to mess with something I'm not participating in."

"She just wanted to be sure you were doing alright," Brian defended Daph softly. "She cares about you."

Justin reached across the table and took his friend's hand. "You are right. I owed you at least a text." Debbie dropped off the onion rings and passed out the menus but had to rush off to bring food to another table. "I promise I will do better."

"I can tell you haven't been eating either, and showering..." Justin shrugged and sniffed at his shoulder.

"No, you don't stink. At least I haven't noticed anything I don't like." Brian's voice went low and a little flirty.

Daph rolled her eyes as Debbie returned to take their orders and then, after they all ordered, they dug into the onion rings and Daphne and Brian told Justin what they had discovered. "I still don't want anything to do with this. Sounds like you are getting some results and I am sure there are men out there that really want in on this fight. I don't."

"You don't have to, Justin. So what project are you working on now?" Daphne asked. By the time Justin talked about his latest commission, their food arrived. As they ate, Brian and Daphne both talked about projects they were working on but they stayed away from the Franklin/Franken case. Justin was quiet but interacted when he had something to say. As they ate Justin began to doze from time to time. "This has been fun but I have to meet a friend in an hour and I really need to go home and change. Justin, you are going to your apartment now, right? Not back to the studio?"

"Well I was going to..."

"I will tell your mom if you don't go home and get some sleep."

"Daph, that's not fair. You can't play the mom card. I have work." Daph took out her phone and he said, "Now what are you doing?"

"Canceling my plans. I can't let you be at the studio alone when you are this tired."

"Daphne, I'll take him to his apartment."

"Hello, I'm an adult sitting right here." Justin grumbled. "Don't cancel. I will go home. I do have my car."

"You can barely keep your eyes open. I'll cancel." Daph started texting again.

"Daph, if I let Brian drive me home, will you go have some fun?"

"Deal," Daphne made eye contact with Brian and he nodded ever so slowly. 

"I will escort him to his apartment. He is right, you deserve a night out and I don't have anything planned tonight."

"Brian Kinney doesn't have plans on a Friday night?" Justin questioned.

"No plans. If I feel like it I might go to a club but it has been a busy week and if I do go to the club it wouldn't be until 10:00 or so. Plenty of time to drop you off." 

"Well, you two can work things out. I am out of here." She started to dig for her wallet. 

"I have this," Brian said. "I hope he's cute." Daphne blushed as she turned and walked to the door.

"I really am fine to drive myself..."

"I have a feeling that Daphne ever got wind of that..."

"Fine. I'll be right back," Justin said as he stood and walked to the bathrooms.

"Sure, I'll pay the check." Brian walked up to the register and Debbie came over.

"Are you and that ray of sunshine an item?"

Brian laughed, "Not likely. He will barely have a business related meal with me. There is no hope for anything else."

"Brian, I think this one might be worth the effort. You know Michael is so happy now that he is married. They are working on giving me a grandchild."

"Hey, Justin, you ready?" Justin nodded and Brian turned to Debbie, "Let me know if Michael's coming to town." Brian placed his hand on the small of Justin's back and he guided him toward his Corvette. Once Brian had pulled out into traffic he began to head in the direction of Justin's apartment. "I'm going in the right direction, aren't I?" Justin gave him his address and they drove in silence for a few blocks but when they were stuck in traffic, Brian looked over at Justin and started to say something but then realized Justin was already asleep. He reached across the car and gently touched his cheek. He then turned his focus back on the road.

It had taken 30 minutes longer than normal to get to his place and as Brian stopped for one last red light, he reached over and rested his hand on Justin's shoulder, "Justin, we are at your building."

Justin slowly straightened in his seat and was confused, "What? Why do I feel like I have been asleep forever?"

"The 10 minute ride took 45. There was an accident that backed everything up." He pulled into a parking spot. "I'll go up with you."

"You don't need to. I can get into my own apartment."

"I'm sure you can but, shit, that ride took forever and I have to piss." Brian walked around the car and opened the door for him, extending his hand. Justin stared at it. "You never date men with manners?"

"This isn't a date."

"You're right, it isn't. If it was, I would be at my apartment." Justin took his hand, stood and Brian followed him into the building and onto the elevator. "This is a nice building. How long have you lived here? Did you say two months?"

"Three now." Justin opened the door and Brian followed him in. He pointed to a hall and Brian moved quickly down it and as soon as he saw the bathroom he ducked in.

Justin poured two whiskeys and when Brian came back out, Justin handed him one. "Here. One won't hurt you before you go home. It's the least I can do after you drove me home in that mess."

Brian walked over to the bank of windows and looked out over the city. "Well, now I can see the issue. The bridge is closed. Seeing how many emergency vehicles there are, it wasn't just a fender bender."

Justin walked over and looked down at the activity. His hand began to shake. An ambulance sped away and Justin emptied his glass as his whole body began to tremble. Brian took his elbow and led him back to the bar and made him sit. He poured another drink for him before he sat at the bar next to him but he didn't look at him.

"Justin, I don't give a fuck whether you want to join investigation but you need to talk to someone. They will know how to help you work through this."

"Kinney, this is none of your fucking..." A door slammed in the hall and Justin collapsed against Brian. Brian wrapped his arms around him and held him close. It took several minutes for Justin to stop shaking. Then he pulled away and straightened his spine, walked across the room. This time he walked to the fireplace and flipped a switch to turn it on.

Brian gave him some space but dropped onto a sectional. "Tell me about the bashing. I was at college when it happened. I was so pissed the asshole didn't get any time."

"I still can't walk through a parking garage alone and even with others I try to avoid them."

"I can understand that. Did you have a date?"

"Not really."

"Didn't I read you were leaving with a guy?"

"I was leaving with a friend. There was a group of us and we were just heading out to check into a hotel suite where the rest would be coming soon. I don't remember that night, but Daph told me about it." Justin had left the fireplace and sat on the other end of the seating arrangement. It took me three months to be able to function again and then I had to rethink college. At that point I wasn't able to draw or paint with any detail."

"It is amazing you can do what you do." Brian stood and got the whiskey bottle, bringing it over to Justin. After handing it to him, he sat much closer than he had before. "I bet even though you don't remember the ambulance ride to the hospital, your body does. I am sure what happened a couple weeks ago brought it back as triggers. It probably doesn't help that Daph and I are researching Coach."

"I don't want to talk about him," Brian said as saw the glaze of Justin's eyes. The whiskey was taking effect. Brian took the glass from Justin and set it on the table. Then he guided Justin's head to his lap and he ran his fingers through the blonde silk.

Brian continued to talk softly as he felt Justin go from resting his eyes to a deep sleep. He pulled a throw from the back of the sofa and covered him with it. He fell asleep himself for a while and woke up shortly after midnight. He slipped a pillow under Justin's head as he moved away from him. As he stood over him he bent down and kissed him gently on his lips. For a moment, Justin murmured something but the only thing he understood was the word kiss. Brian kissed him once more, lingering a little longer this time.

Brian moved and sat for a few minutes on the ottoman to make sure he was really asleep. He felt his phone vibrate and saw it was a message from Daphne.  It said she had heard about the accident near Justin's apartment and was just wondering if he had been settled when Brian had left him.

Brian returned a message. ‘He is calm and sleeping. Leaving now.'

 

Daphne read the message Brian had just sent. Brian had stayed with Justin until he was sleeping. She was learning that Brian Kinney's persona was over exaggerated. The playboy of gay Pittsburgh was extremely caring. She wasn't sure they had noticed it but tonight at the diner she could feel electricity between them. In her opinion, Brian and Justin had all the qualities that would support the other one. She hoped Brian could make Justin feel safe again and that Justin could show Brian what real love was all about.

 

Chapter 4 by Simply written
Author's Notes:

 

 

Chapter 4

 

Justin woke up on the sofa. He looked around and noticed the sun was streaming into his living room. He stretched and sat up. Was Kinney still there? He didn't feel like he was. The place felt empty. What had happened last night? He knew he was really jumpy and Brian had been very kind. He had a vague memory of a kiss but he was sure it was just a fuzzy, whiskey induced dream. As wary as he was of him, Justin had to admit Brian Kinney was one of the most handsome men he had ever met and, although he still didn't completely trust him, he was seeing a different side of him.

Justin got up and realized it was almost noon and he had missed three messages from Daphne. Although whiskey assisted, he hadn't slept that soundly in... He couldn't remember the last time he had slept that well. He picked up his phone and read the messages from Daphne and then called her.

"Justin, where have you been? I was just about ready to uber over and see that everything was alright. Brian had assured me he had left you safe, if not a little drunk, at your apartment when I talked to him."

"You called Brian? What else did he say?"

"He said you had mad, crazy sex and then he left you passed out on the sofa."

"We never... I don't think we..." Justin sounded very panicked.

"I'm kidding, Jus. He just said you were sleeping soundly when he left. Oh, he did say something about a peaceful look on your face."

"He didn't say anything about a kiss. Did... Never mind. I am sure it was just a drunk dream because my head was in the lap of a god."

"What was your head doing in his lap?" Daph questioned playfully. Was it facing inward or outward?"

"Daphne, I am still getting used to the idea he might not be related to the devil."

"I'm glad, Justin. I know Brian has an ego the size of... well he has a big ego. But I get the feeling that  you two..."

"We? There is no ‘we'."

"Maybe there should be." Daphne heard the silence and changed the subject. "You really did worry me last night, Justin, you need help. You need to talk to someone. I am going to make an appointment for you. If you go once and hate it, you don't have to go again, but you are my best friend and I can't, won't, let you crawl in a hole and ignore all of this. The world hasn't seen what you can do yet."

"Daph, do we have to do this now?"

"Do you want me to go with you?"

Justin's response came fast, "No! No, I don't think I could talk with you there. I'm not going, Daphne. I can't go alone and I can't have you come along and seriously, I don't have any other friends, not really."

"Brian offered to go with you."

"He isn't a friend."

"Maybe not, but he is a well meaning acquaintance that probably could not be shocked." 

Justin looked at her, "Do you really think he meant that?"

"Yes, he meant it. I think he would be good to take along. He knows the situation, but he also is not emotionally involved." Daphne wondered if he would be objective. Could it draw them closer together? "I will contact the counselor and Brian. I'll have Brian pick you up. Where should I tell him to pick you up, home or studio?" Daphne wanted to get everything set up so it would make it harder to back out.

"The studio." All of the sudden Justin realized what he was agreeing to. "Daph, wait..."

"Justin, I love you, and this is what you need. I'll text you the time." With that she hung up before Justin could change his mind.

On Monday, Daphne texted Justin. The appointment was set for Wednesday at 3:30. Next she had to talk to Brian. They were meeting later that day. They both had news to share and she thought Brian would say yes to going with Justin much quicker in person. Brian had offered and she didn't think he was the kind of person to offer something he wasn't willing to actually do.

"Daphne, I have news," Brian greeted.

She had to smile at Brian's childlike excitement. "So do I! You go first."

"I found out what he did. Caleb Franklin resigned and left Pittsburgh, and the country, before the school checked into the last accusations. Once he got to Brazil he started to look for someone that had a similar look. Six months later, two Caleb Franken's came back to the U.S. The Brazilian Caleb landed in LAX on one airline while the one we were looking for landed in LAS on another airline within thirty minutes of each other. They went through customs within two minutes of each other. He knew the systems updated every three minutes."

"He obviously had someone working at customs," Daph said.

"That's my guess, but that isn't my job. We will hand all this over to the District Attorney's office once we get a few more things lined up. I already have a contact in their office. Later this week, if you are ready, we will meet with him." Brian stopped talking and looked at Daphne.

"You have news, too?"

"I have a list of twenty men that reported issues to the school in the years Franklin was in their building. I have talked to half of them so far. Two of them had nothing to do with Franklin. Of the other eight, I think at least five of them want to hear more and even the other three may be willing to give testimony but they don't want to be involved in a hearing."

"You have been busy."

"I have, and now I have something for you to add to your calendar."

"You do, huh?"

"I convinced Justin to see a therapist but he doesn't want to go alone and he doesn't want me to go with him. You said you'd take him the other night. The appointment is Wednesday, and if that doesn't work we might be able to change the time and I think..."

"Daphne, I said I would do it and I meant it, but I am surprised Justin is okay with that."

"I don't know what happened at his place the other night but he gained some confidence in you." She looked at him and said, "You aren't just trying to get him involved in our case, are you?"

"No, Daphne. Are you ever going to believe me?"

"Yes, Brian, I do believe you. I can see you really care about him. Wednesday at 3:30.  Pick him up at 3:00 at the studio. I will text the address. I don't think he will try to cancel but if he feels more comfortable at his studio or the apartment, the psychologist said he would do that, too. I didn't tell him much, but he realizes that Justin has had multiple traumas."

"I'll be there with him. Now, show me that list of victims. I want to see if I know any of the others."

 

On Wednesday morning, Brian texted Justin and said he would be there at 3:00. At 2:30 he texted and said he was on his way. He received a text back saying he didn't think he could make it, so then Brian called him. He was surprised Justin did answer.

"Hey, Taylor, what's this bullshit? You know you don't have anything going on that would keep you away today. I'm leaving now. If I have to, I will come in and escort you to the car."

"Brian, I think I'm sick. I have been throwing up since I ate lunch. I don't want to get someone else sick."

"Are you running a fever?"

"No, but..."

Brian lowered his voice and softly said, "It is your nerves. I'll be there with you." As he spoke he moved out of the building and to his car. "Lay down and close your eyes for a few minutes. I am on my way now. I will come up when I get there."

"But Brian, I..."

"On my way, Justin." He arrived at 2:45 and finding the door to the studio building unlocked he moved up the staircase. He knocked on the studio door and then let himself in. "Justin, you here?" He walked further into the room and then stood still and heard a faint noise somewhere in the building and moved in the direction of the sound.  

Standing outside the bathroom door he tapped softly, "Justin, you in there?" He heard something inside and then the door opened slowly. Justin stood in front of him pale and shaky.

"Shit, Brian, if my body is reacting this way just thinking about talking to the therapist, I must really need this. Could you go upstairs and get me a fresh shirt? There are a few hanging up there."

Instead, Brian walked into the bathroom and grabbed a washcloth.  He held it under cool running water and then put it on the back of Justin's neck. He then ran the cloth over his face.  After tossing the rag in the sink, he ran the back of his hand down Justin's cheek and then traced his lips with his thumb. Their eyes locked and Brian started to move to kiss him but stopped himself. "I'll go get a shirt for you." 

At 3:00 they were walking out of the studio and after they were on the road Justin said, "What if I am really crazy? What if I have a total meltdown? I used to just blame my brain injury but now I wonder if..."

"It doesn't matter what is causing your stress. Daphne and your mom are always there for you and..."

"Thanks, Brian. I just didn't want Daphne there. She cares too much."

Brian listened to him ramble on in his nervousness and as his own mind wandered off a bit he thought to himself, ‘Do I care too much?'

 

When they arrived at the office, Brian called the office number, "I'm here with Mr. Taylor." He listened for a moment and then moved the car into a parking lot below the office building. 

"What was all this about?"

"I called the office ahead of time and said you preferred privacy.  There are no other clients at the office and this garage is closed off to outside traffic." He moved around the car and escorted Justin into the building.

"Kinney, why are you being so nice to me? Is this for your career? Do you feel sorry for me?" Justin looked at his face and then said, "Thank you." He took a deep breath. "I have a hard time trusting."

"And I have a shady reputation."

"I wouldn't say shady as much as pertinacious."

"I knew you were smart. What the hell does that mean?

As they stepped off the elevator, Justin said, "It basically means you don't care who is trying to stop you or get you to change your mind."

Brian nodded, thinking that was a pretty good description of his life. He turned the doorknob and they entered the office. There was a man sitting behind the reception desk. "Mr. Taylor, welcome. Let's go to the office. Mr. Kinney, are you joining us or waiting out here?"

Brian looked at Justin who said, "I'd like him to come but, Brian, I might kick you out later."

"This is your appointment. I'm here to support only."

"Support not report?" Justin questioned.

"Of course, I thought you knew that by now."

"Mr. Taylor, you will be in control. If you want Mr. Kinney to leave the room at any time he can wait for you in the outer office." They walked into a comfortable room with a loveseat and a couple comfortable chairs. Justin took Brian's hand showing he wanted him next to him.

"I want Brian here but, please, don't talk unless you are asked something."

"I'll do my best. I do make a living talking so it isn't always easy for me." He winked at Justin who had to smile, knowing Brian was joking, but he also knew it would be hard for him to keep his mouth shut.

"Will Dr. Shannon be here soon?" Justin asked.

"I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I'm Cameron Shannon. Please call me Cam."

"And, please call me Justin. Mr. Taylor is my father and I don't like him very much."

The next fifteen minutes, Cam asked Justin questions to make him feel comfortable and get to know him a bit. "I know you have had some trauma in your life. You mentioned your father leaving once you came out. How did that make you feel?" Brian made a scoffing sound. "Do you have something to say, Mr. Kinney?"

"Are therapists taught to ask stupid questions?"

"Why is that a stupid question?"

"His father left the family because he's gay. He had to feel guilty, but his dad was the asshole."

"Justin, is that how you felt?"

Justin looked at Brian, "So much for being quiet." 

"Sorry, but it was a dumb question."

"It might be but I am sure Cam expects more out of my answer than it was dumb. He wanted to figure out if I felt guilty for breaking up the family."

"Very good, Justin. And you are right. That is what I was aiming for."

"I don't blame myself anymore. I did for a short time but soon I realized my mom was much happier and actually we all were.  He was an asshole before he knew I was gay, too. My mom hadn't been happy with him for years. She made that clear to me and I do believe her."

"That is outstanding. Mr. Kinney, was that the answer you thought he would give?"

"Yeah, but I am not the one that the appointment is for."

"Brian, you started talking? Was that the answer you expected?"

"It is, but Daph told me that."

"You sounded like you have a strong feeling about fathers."

"I have no opinion at all about parents. Now, can we go back to Justin and I'll shut up."

Cam directed his look back at Justin. "Justin, I understand your father leaving was probably a benefit. Having two parents in a family doesn't make the family better. So what did affect your life growing up?"

"Which one do you want first?" Justin hesitated for a split second and then made the decision.  "The night of my senior prom I was the victim of a hate crime. It's kind of funny, as much as my father hated to admit I was gay, he sure wanted to get as much money out of me being gay as he could."

"I remember that incident. It scared a lot of us at that time. Can you tell me what happened?" 

As Justin started to recall the events, Brian put his arm around Justin's shoulder, lending support as he talked through what he remembered and what he had been told. Justin started out emotionless but by the time he talked about his recovery, he was shaking with the memories of the pain and rehabilitation.

"Justin, when you think back to that time now, what do you think of?"

"It was bad but it made me stronger. It wasn't fair that he didn't pay for it the way I think he should have, but I think in some ways it made me stronger and it brought out a talent far greater than I had before."

"That is very wise. It is getting late. Will you come talk to me again? I feel like what we covered today definitely affected your life, but I get the feeling that you have come to some kind of inner peace with that event. Although, I get the feeling that there is more to discuss."

Justin nodded, "I think you are right."

"When can we come back?" Brian blurted out.

"Well, how about next week, the same day?" Cameron asked.        

"How about tomorrow at the same time?"

"Well, I'm not sure. Tomorrow is my day off."

"Brian, it can wait."

"Justin, I have gotten to know you well enough that either you won't come back or by then you will have rethought all of it six times."

Cameron looked between Brian and Justin and seeing the look on Justin's face he decided Brian might be right. "I can make tomorrow work. Can we make it 4:30 instead? I can make that work."

Minutes later, Brian and Justin were on the elevator descending to the parking garage. "You have dinner plans? We could pick up some chicken or Chinese," Justin asked Brian as he got in the car.  

"Oh," this took him by surprise. "Are you sure?"

"If I go home alone I will drink too much and think too much."

"Are you sure you don't want Daphne to come over?"

"No. I love her but I don't need her pity and I don't want to have to explain everything we talked about or didn't talk about."

"Chinese it is."

Justin pulled out his phone and, after asking Brian what he liked, put in an order. "It will be at the apartment about the time we arrive. Just pull into the parking garage. I have a pass for you."

"Justin," Brian stopped.

"What?"

"Never mind." The words Brian wanted to ask played around in his brain. Was there a chance that the two of them could ever... good thing he hadn't asked because he wasn't sure what he wanted yet. Brian drove into the underground garage and followed Justin's directions to his free spot.

"We will need to stop at the front desk. I am guessing our food will be waiting for us." When they arrived at the desk the food hadn't arrived yet. "Do you mind waiting for the food? I really need to..." 

"Sure, no problem."

Justin turned to the doorman, "Please give my friend access to the elevator."

"Will do, Mr. Taylor."

 

Ten minutes later Brian knocked on Justin's door. "Coming," came the reply. Justin appeared with a drink in his hand.

"I thought I was supposed to stop you from drinking too much," Brian said as he walked past.

"This is soda with lime. Do you want one?"

"Sounds good." He saw that Justin had silverware and chopsticks out, along with some bowls, on the kitchen counter.  

"I didn't think we needed to sit by the dining table. This is good enough isn't it?"

"Sure, at my place I sit by the coffee table most of the time." Brian started opening containers while Justin got him his drink and soon they were both eating and started talking about classmates from their school days. They weren't in the same grade but remembered some of the same people.

"So, college, I am guessing there were plenty of guys."

"And a few girls," Brian commented. "I had to try it. It was not worth my time. How about you? Daph said you have had a few relationships."

"I guess I... I couldn't do it?"

"You couldn't what?" Brian was confused at the turn in the conversation.

"I couldn't talk about what happened. I don't know if I will ever be able to. And I can't keep a relationship. I am not worth the work. I can't trust."

Brian stood and walked over to Justin. He turned him on his stool and then placed a hand on his cheek, "You are so worth it." He gently brushed his lips against Justin's. "I just hope you will let Cam help you, let me help you, and once you realize there are people you can trust, that you will let me show you what a trusting relationship can be." Brian kissed him once more.  He took it slow and deepened it as he pulled Justin into his arms.

"Brian," Justin said softly, "Take me..."

"I hope to do just that sometime very soon. But now, I need to go. I will pick you up tomorrow.  Just let me know where to pick you up."

"Brian, I really do want to learn to trust. but right now I really want sex."

Brian dropped a kiss on his forehead. "Another time." With that Brian left the apartment. He really hoped Cam was as good as Daph had said. He wasn't sure how long he could say no to Justin Taylor.

 

"So, how did Justin's first session go? Do you think he will work with Dr. Shannon?" Daphne asked Brian.

"I think so. Cam didn't push him. He started with prom night which, we both know, he has talked through more than once. He already had that processed." Changing the subject, Brian opened a file on his computer. "I got your list. Are those ten men a sure thing?"

"I would say eight are definite. The other two are close but I can't promise. I think if you talk to them, as another victim..."

"I will consider it. I don't want the hearing to center on me just because people know my face."

"I think letting them know we have more support than just my publication and me, will help a lot."

"We'll set something up. Maybe an evening next week," Brian said, trying to avoid Daphne's eyes.

"Brian, did something else happen at Justin's appointment?" 

"No, nothing else happened at the appointment."

"After the appointment then?"

"We just shared Chinese because he didn't want to drink himself into oblivion and he was afraid he would if he was alone."

"Chinese... Did you have something else besides dinner? Did you have dessert by chance?"

"Daph, no! I am just trying to get him through this and hopefully he will change his mind about supporting the cause with me, with us."

"Brian I am not doubting your motives. I think I have gotten to know you quite well. And do you want my honest opinion?" Brian nodded. "I think the two of you were made for each other but you can't run off. If you break up..."

"Woah, I've kissed him four times and you have us breaking up before a relationship starts?"

"What? Wait! Have you kissed?"

"Well, two of those he is totally unaware of. He was asleep." Now Brian looked her directly in the eyes. "What is it about him? He is stronger than I ever will be and yet I want to protect him."

"It's because you can't imagine ever living without him in your life, now that you know him. I always knew who he was but I knew he would be my best friend forever. And I always hoped that someday we both would find the other kind of love but in the meantime, we would always have each other."

"I hope you both know how lucky you are to have each other."

"Brian, have you thought about talking to Dr. Shannon?"

The change of subject surprised Brian, "Do you think I need to?"

"Brian, I know you have been alone most of your life. You have had to do it on your own. Maybe, with a little guidance, you will be able to learn to trust, too."

"Daphne, you are really a tricky shit aren't you."

"I hope so. In my line of business I have to be tricky. When is Justin's next appointment?"

"This afternoon."

"You didn't want him to back out, did you?"

"No, he's too smart to let things simmer."

 

Justin texted Brian and he was waiting outside his apartment building when Brian pulled up. 

"Are you ready to do this?" Brian asked.

"Are you ready to have pizza after the appointment?"

"I'd prefer we order poke bowls."

"Sushi it is."

As Brian pulled up into the parking lot below Shannon's office building, Justin touched his arm. "Brian, this isn't going to be pretty. I thought about it all day. My painting was a little crazy today. My feelings just kind of threw up on the canvas."

"I am going to be right there. Justin, nothing you say will surprise me or make me think differently about you. Fuck, he did so much to me. I thought he liked me. He made it seem like he was showing me how to be a good homosexual. I didn't realize I was being groomed. Hell, I just realized that in the last month. Justin, I think we both need this appointment. Are you willing to share it?"

Justin reached over and, putting his hand behind Brian's neck pulled him closer. When their lips met, they lingered and as they put some space between them, Justin said, "But if I share my appointment, I plan to share a whole lot more than that at a later date."

 

Chapter 5 by Simply written

 

Chapter 5

 

Brian and Justin walked into the office where Cam was waiting for them. "Good afternoon, gentlemen. I'm glad you decided to come back today."

"I hope you don't mind making this more of a group session," Brian said.

"A group session?"

"Brian and I went to the same high school. There was a coach..." Justin started.

"We had a very different experience with the same outcome. Justin was just smart enough to realize what had happened to him."

"If you two don't mind, why doesn't one of you tell me your experience first.  If the other wants to interject, I know you will both be respectful when you add something."

"Brian, will you start?" Justin reached over and gently squeezed his hand.

"I was 14. I didn't realize until very recently what had actually happened to me. I was a young, gay boy wanting sex. At the time I didn't care that it was a teacher. I actually started it. Well, I thought I had chosen him but he set me up. Twenty years ago, I didn't know that. I just remembered recently that the reason I went back to the locker room was because he had told me I needed to leave my gym bag in there because I didn't have time to bring it to my locker. He knew when I would come back and he was naked, in the shower." Brian took a swallow of water. "He was well built and I couldn't resist the large cock."

Justin shivered, "I remember that cock, too. I had no pleasure in it. I remember shame and pain. I remember not being able to tell my parents why I was walking differently. I had to lie and say I pulled a muscle swimming."

Brian put an arm around his shoulders and continued his story while Justin composed himself.  "Coach started having me help him after school. My mom was just glad I wasn't staying because I was in trouble. He worked me slowly. I won't lie, I enjoyed most of it, but I didn't realize how it would follow me."

Justin nearly shouted, "I didn't enjoy it. I couldn't tell my mom that my coach had given me a blow job or that he screwed me with his fingers. Worse yet, I couldn't tell her that I had cum from what he had done. He was my COACH. I WAS SUPPOSED TO LOOK UP TO HIM!"

They continued to share their experiences while Dr. Shannon listened to them. He realized he didn't need to say a thing. They seemed to just know when to take over for the other. It had obviously been more traumatic for Justin but that was probably because he was used to stability. Brian had always lived chaotically so the unexpected was expected.

When they seemed to have run out of things to say, Dr. Shannon finally spoke, "You had never talked about this, had you?" Both men shook their heads. "There was nothing you could have done. He was an authority figure. Like Justin said, he was someone you were taught to look up to. You were very different boys, and that is what you were, boys." Cam noticed their body language and how it was obvious they drew comfort from each other. "I think we have talked enough for today. I don't think there is anything I can say that will add anything to the session. What would you say to meeting again next week? If anything comes up and you need to talk to me before that, call me." They both nodded. "And may I suggest you spend some time together? I think your conversations will be much better than me reviewing what you just said." He smiled at them, "Maybe have dinner a few nights. Don't try to push the topic. I am guessing if you need to get something out it will just come."

 

Brian and Justin both left the office and neither said a word as Brian drove Justin to his apartment. When they arrived, they rode the elevator up to his apartment and then Brian took out his phone and ordered Italian for two. When he had put the phone down on the counter, he walked to the bar and found a bottle of red wine which he opened smoothly and set it down to breathe. 

Justin walked over to him and slipped his arms around Brian's waist, dropping his head on his chest. Brian wrapped his arms around him and held him close. They both needed this. They both needed to be with someone who knew. No conversation was needed. They just needed to be.

Neither knew how long they had stood there but eventually Justin looked up into Brian's amber eyes and, as one, they moved and their lips fused. Before anything else could happen, there was a knock on the door, "Mr. Taylor, it is Todd from the desk. I have your dinner."

Justin sighed and dropped his head back on Brian's chest. "Thanks, Todd. Just leave it."

"Shit for timing.  What did he say his name was?"

"Todd."

"I think I know him from the club. I recognize his voice." Brian kissed him once more. "I'll pour the wine, you get the food." 

 

As they ate dinner, they talked about their families. Justin talked about good memories as a small child but he also remembered that his father did most of the things he did for appearances. Craig Taylor didn't do anything unless it would benefit him somehow.  

"My father never did anything but get drunk and pissed off. He would come home drunk and Mom would piss him off. He would then end up smacking me around, even if I was already in my room trying to stay out of his way."

Justin reached over and squeezed his hand. "I'm sorry. My childhood wasn't perfect but I wasn't physically threatened, well at least not until I came out. Then I was ruining his image."

"I don't want anyone to have to live through what I did, but there are some that had childhoods so much worse. I at least found a place to chill."

"Debbie's house?"

"Yeah, she was more of a mom than mine ever was. She cared, and not about the image. When I was with Michael I could be myself."

"Did you two..."

"No, a kiss here and there but we were more like brothers. We stood up for each other."

"I think you did more standing up than he did."

"Well, whatever I did, it was worth it to have Debbie there when I needed someone." Brian brought Justin's hand to his mouth and kissed the palm. He looked at Justin, very seriously.  "I want you, Justin. I don't make commitments the first night, but I can promise you, I don't want to hurt you. I promise I won't push you and I..."

Before Brian could finish the statement, Justin got off his stool and walked over to Brian's side. "I need more time to understand everything, but right now..." he stepped between Brian's knees and pressed against his body, kissing him.

Brian's arms wrapped around Justin and held him tightly as he deepened the kiss. Brian's hands slid down Justin's back and rested on his ass, "Are you sure about this?"

"Brian, I want to fuck. I want to fuck with you. I want it to be everything I ever imagined having sex with you would be."

"You imagined us fucking?"

"Kinney, every gay boy in high school imagined that. I think even some of the straight boys did." He stepped back and took Brian's hand. He picked up the bottle of wine and tugged him gently.  Brian didn't take much encouragement.

The bedroom wasn't large but it was furnished with a masculine feel and the view was spectacular. As they slowly undressed each other, the lights of the city started coming on. By the time they both stood in just their briefs, they both had erections and wanted to find relief. 

Brian laid Justin down but before going any further he softly said, "Are you sure?"

In response, Justin propped one leg on Brian's shoulder. Brian put the other leg on his other shoulder and, after producing a condom, he moved in slowly. They worked together, moving to a new level of need at the feel of each other's skin against their own. "Damn, Brian, I never imagined..." He grabbed Brian's head and deepened the kiss as Brian moved faster.

Justin thrust even harder to meet him and soon Justin could not hold back any longer. Cum covered Brian's abdomen and after a couple more strokes, Brian shuttered and he felt Justin tighten around him, milking him for every drop.

 

The sky was now lit only by city lights. The lovers lay in bed, still wrapped in each other's arms. "Did you expect that?" Brian asked.

"Expect amazing sex? Yes. I didn't expect it any other way with the great Brian Kinney."

"The great? I would say that was a fantasy."

"Brian, it was a fantasy and it was one that was as good as I could imagine."

They spent the rest of the evening in bed, making love and talking. "I am not sure if this is what Dr. Shannon meant by us spending evenings together, but I know I am willing to spend every night this week doing this."

"Justin, I am going to ask you something and I promise if the answer is no, I won't ask again." Justin looked at him and waited. "Will you change your mind about joining the class action  against Caleb?"

"I don't want to be involved. If you can't..."

"I promise, I won't bring it up again." He moved his hand under the blanket and rested it on Justin's cock. "I do hope I can bring something else up..."

"Now you can get involved in that anytime we are together."

It was midnight when they showered together and Brian left for home. 

 

"Brian, who did you screw last night after Justin's appointment? And how did that go? All I got was a text this morning."

"Why do you think I was with someone?"

"Honestly, Brian, I am sure you have had sex many nights since we started working together but you have never looked like... wait! You and Justin had sex! Don't deny it. I can tell."

"Dr. Shannon said we needed to spend time together and talk more."

"I bet you didn't talk that much last night."

Brian smiled and then got serious. "We actually did talk. He opened up and Cam thought the two of us might be able to relate and help each other cope. He suggested we spend time together."

"Has he changed his mind about joining us?"

"No, and I promised not to bring it up again, and I won't."

"Brian, you know how I feel about the two of you. You belong together, if not forever at least for now."

"We need to contact the men that have said no but you think might change their minds. Give me half the list and we can both get busy. In fact, give me the ones thinking about it. Maybe talking to someone different, someone who has been there, will make a difference." 

"That makes sense." Daph pulled out the list. "The ones with asterisks are those on the fence. I have a couple I promised to call back."

"Remember, the assistant DA will be here in an hour. I will go to my office and you can work from here. If the guy from the DA shows up just start filling him in. I have a quick work call about that time but it should be short. You know more about the statistics anyway, which is what they are looking for."

"I'll get the stats downloaded on a thumbdrive so they have all the research."

Brian kissed Daphne on the top of her head. "Thanks! I'll see you in about an hour and a half."

 

An hour later Brian's assistant was at the door. "Daphne, Mr. Ryan from the DA's office is here."

A tall, good looking man, about her age, entered the room. Daph got up and met him, extending her hand. "Daphne Chanders, nice to meet you, Mr. Ryan. Thanks for coming. Brian will join us in a bit."

"Jake, please. Mr. Ryan is my grandfather who sits in his office on the 12th floor in his law office, with my dad's office next door."

"So are you the rebel in the family?"

"Not really. Both of them started out where I am. They wanted to get the experience from both sides."

"So you will eventually join them?" Daphne said as she sat at the table extending a hand for him to sit down.

"You really are a reporter. I rarely talk about my family's business." He smiled over at Daphne.

She felt her heart skip a beat. Damn, Jake Ryan was good looking and had a good sense of humor. "I have all this information on a thumb drive but, well, how much do you know about the investigation?"

"I know a child molester was in the Pittsburgh school system for over 10 years and now that he is back in the states, he is back to teaching."

"It has been over five years since he taught here but we have found that he is now teaching in Iowa under the last name Franken. As far as we know, he doesn't know about our investigation."

"My office is waiting for a return call from our counterparts over there to give them a heads up."

"Good, this man should be nowhere around children.  Actually, he shouldn't be around any normal human being." Daphne's hatred was obvious.

"You personally know this man?"

"I went to one of the schools he worked at. My best friend was one of his victims."

"Is he on your list?"

"No, he doesn't want anything to do with this, however..."

"I am on the list." Brian strode in, closing the door behind him. "Brian Kinney. Sorry I'm late."

"Jake Ryan." Jake stood and shook Brian's hand. "No problem. Daphne was just filling me in on some details. So you are one of the men on the list?"

"I am. My situation was slightly different than most, so right now I think we should focus on the rest of them."

"Are you trying to hide something?" Jake asked lightly.

"No, I just wasn't your typical victim. My story is in the research. You can read it over and ask any of your questions." Brian and Daphne gave him the basic story of a coach taking advantage of students he could see were in need of something. Parents divorcing. Any changes to the stability of the boys home. "He knew how to groom them."

"Brian," his assistant looked in the door. "Sorry to bother you but we have a small emergency."

"I'll be there in five." Brian turned to Jake and Daphne, "I need to go. Daph, you can finish this up. If Jake wants my number, you can share it. Jake, it was nice meeting you. I look forward to hearing from you." With that, Brian left Daphne and Jake alone.

"Do you have any more questions, Jake?"

"I know I will, but right now I just need to look at this evidence." 

Daphne passed him the thumb drive. "This is everything I have shown you, along with statements from every victim we have interviewed."

"So have you known about this for a long time?"

Daphne responded, "Since it happened to my friend. He told me right away but we were 14. He didn't want, and still doesn't want, this to come out. People know his name and he doesn't want this to be associated with him."

"We will have to touch base with everyone on your list but we will honor their choice to stay out of it." Jake's face became less serious and turned warm, "Now this is way off in left field but, if you aren't seeing someone, and if you're into men as much as Kinney, would you be free for dinner on Friday?"

"I think I'd like that. You have my phone number. Call me Thursday and we can set up the details." Daphne smiled at him and said, "I'll show you out."

 

Daphne texted Justin and asked where he was. She was stopping by. Twenty minutes later she was knocking on the studio door. "Tell me everything! Was Brian everything you expected?"

Justin stepped out of the way, letting her pass into the room. "I know I have given you details in the past but I am not going to do that this time. You know Brian. You work with him. I don't need you to look at him and try to get a visual image."

"Just tell me, is he as perfect as I think?"

"He is stunning." Justin walked over to the painting he had been working on, "So how was your day?"

"Well, I actually have a date on Friday."

"So who's the stud and where did you meet him?"

"His name is Jake and he is with the DA's office. He has been assigned to the case."

"If you like him, I'm happy for you. If you want me to meet him, that would be fine, but the case is off limits."

"I know, Justin."

Justin pulled out his phone and looked at a message. Without a word to Daph he started cleaning his brushes. "Was that Brian?"

"Yes, I'm going to his loft for dinner."

"He said Dr. Shannon said you two should see each other."

"Cam thought since we have a lot of similar memories, having us talk might help both of us."

"Brian really talked to him?"

"He did. He told him everything. Did you notice a difference in him today?"

"I knew you had sex, but now that I think about it, he did seem different somehow.  I'm not saying anyone else would notice but he let me see that the two of you..."

"How are you feeling about him? I mean moving to the next level?"

"You mean have I already fallen in love?" He touched Daph's arm, "No. He is Brian Kinney. I don't see him as a ‘settle down type' but right now, I think I could enjoy a serious relationship just for the fun of it."

"I'm glad, Justin. I am heading out. What are you picking up for dinner?"

"I am thinking about pizza."

Daph kissed his cheek, "Go for sushi. You can feed each other. That's much sexier than pizza."

"Love you, Daph."

"Love you, too."

 

Justin ran home and changed. He knew they were just going to stay at Brian's loft but he wanted to look nice. He pulled on an older pair of jeans but then paired them with a deep blue long sleeve T. He put on a sweater that picked up the same blue along with browns, burgundy, and dark green. He ordered several sushi rolls and texted Brian that he would be there in about 20 minutes. 

Brian saw Justin's text and looked around the loft. Justin had said he was getting sushi so he picked up some good saki on the way home. Once home, he slipped out of his work clothes and took a quick shower. He shaved and put on a little cologne. Then he looked through his wardrobe. He wasn't sure why but he grabbed his favorite old pair of jeans and pulled them on.  He wasn't sure what shirt to wear. Before he could pull anything on, the door buzzer went off. He reached out and took an old button down off the hanger. As he walked over to the door, he slipped on the shirt, and buzzed Justin up.  

When he opened the door for Justin, he had planned to button up his shirt but as Justin stepped in he set the bag of food on the floor.  He turned and closed the door and then immediately stepped into Brian's arms. He moved his hands up his chest and then slipped the open shirt down Brian's arms. 

They both felt electricity shoot from their mouths to their cocks and Brian's arms pulled him tightly against his body. Bringing his mouth to Justin's ear and said, "Do we need to put dinner in the fridge?"

"Oh, I don't think it will take us that long, will it?"

"It might." Brian grabbed the bag and still in each other's arms they kissed all the way through the kitchen where they set the bag on the refrigerator shelf and then stumbled up the steps to the bedroom.  By the time they made it to the bed, Brian had taken off Justin's sweater. As he started to pull off the shirt he stopped, "You look stunning, by the way. Damn, you are amazing."

Brian finished removing Justin's shirt and then Justin reached over and unbuttoned Brian's fly. "When I saw you with the open shirt and these pants..." Justin dropped to his knees as he pushed the pants down and took him in his mouth. Brian dropped to the bed and laid back so Justin had better access. As his tongue and lips gave full attention to Brian's cock, his hands began to massage his balls. It wasn't long before Brian began to move and then, before he couldn't stop, he pulled Justin onto the bed and in one jerk, he had Justin's pants off and then he flipped Justin onto his stomach. Starting at his shoulder blades, he began to travel down Justin's back, running his tongue along his spine and then between his well formed ass cheeks.  

When Brian found his target with his tongue, Justin arched and cried out, "Brian, now, please!"

Brian grabbed a condom out of his nightstand and as he slipped it on, Justin rolled over and as they positioned themselves, he moved inside. They moved as one and found their rhythm. The tension grew and grew and then they both exploded in such complete pleasure, neither had felt like this before.

"Damn, that was good." Justin relaxed against the pillow,

"If that was only good, I may not survive fantastic." Brian dropped beside him on the mattress. "I don't know how many times I have had sex, but it has never been like that."                   

After another fifteen minutes, their heartbeats had returned to normal and they stood. Brian tossed Justin a thick plush robe while Brian put on one of deep blue silk. "I don't know about you but I am starving." Brian reached toward Justin and Justin took his hand. Together they moved back to the kitchen.

Brian pulled out chopsticks and glasses for the saki while Justin took the sushi out of the refrigerator. They moved to the large coffee table near the sofa.  They sat on the floor, leaning against the sofa each holding a plate of sushi in one hand and chopsticks in the other. They would take a bite and then feed the other a bite as they talked. From time to time they would switch to another tray of sushi and drink some saki.

When they had finished the sushi and were leaning against the sofa, Justin, obviously a little drunk, said, "Was he your first kiss?"

"No, but he was the first for everything else. Mikey and I had kissed a couple times, just experimenting and there was one other boy."

"Did it hurt? When he... I mean did he try to make you ready?"

Brian pulled him against his chest. "You know we spent time together. At the time I thought it was pretty cool that one of the teachers..."

"Brian, he raped me. He raped you! Who knows how many others he raped!"

"We know of at least 28, but that was just here in Pittsburgh. He has worked in other countries and at least two other states."

"Bri, he ruined me. My first time was so painful I didn't even go near another boy until I was in my senior year. I thought about dating women because I would be such a horrible gay."

"Trust me, there is nothing horrible about you. And being raped is not a sex act. It's a violent act.

"When the pain went away and the experience wasn't so fresh, I was maddest that he took my first time. I was planning to wait and have my first experience with someone I cared about, not necessarily loved, but someone I trusted."

"And that's why I decided to do something about it."

"Brian, I just can't.."

"I'm not asking you to. I think we have plenty, and if for some reason we need information from you it could be an affidavit that just says complainant A or something."  Brian felt  him tense.  "Never mind. We will get the bastard without anyone who doesn't want to participate."

"Brian," Justin stood and offered his hand to him. "Show me what the first time should be like? I've got all night."

"Well, let's make it take all night."

 

The sun was breaking the horizon when they fell onto the mattress. Their skin was slick with sweat and every muscle of their bodies ached but in the best of ways. "Let's shower and put fresh sheets on the bed. Then we can sleep in comfort." 

Justin smiled at him, "That sounds perfect." He rolled toward him and kissed him. "Brian, I think I..." Justin stopped and then said, "like that idea."

Standing in the shower they ran a bar of soap over each other's backs and helped wash each other's hair. Even after hours of lovemaking, they still explored every inch of each other. They turned off the water and helped dry each other off before, still naked, they lay on the fresh sheets.

Justin fell asleep quickly but Brian struggled finding rest. He looked at Justin laying next to him. He usually hated having a man stay over, but right now, he couldn't imagine ever sleeping alone again. When he had started this project, he hoped he found a good contact in the art world that could bring him more stories later. Now his mind was going to something much more than an art contact. He had never had a feeling like this. Maybe some of it was finally clearing Calab Franklin out of his mind. He had been nagged by the experience since he was 14. Now he just had the drive to get the guy and lock him away.

In the past he would have been thinking about what this would do for his career. He had already had a couple feelers. Someone had heard rumors about a big story and a couple acquaintances had already tried to get some information out of him, but so far no one seemed to have any clues. Daphne was very professional and hadn't gotten anyone in to help her. When all this came out, they both would have opportunities to move to a bigger market. As his eyes started to slowly flutter closed he caught himself wondering if Justin was tied to Pittsburgh or if he would be open to moving to New York City. 

Justin rolled over in his sleep and draped an arm over Brian. Brian kissed him lightly and pulled him close, he thought, maybe Pittsburgh is big enough if this is where he is.

 

Chapter 6 by Simply written

 

Chapter 6

 

"Have you had a chance to look through the research?" Daphne asked Jake as they sat at the table in the restaurant. They had arranged to meet there at 7:00.

"You know I didn't ask you out to talk about the case, right?"

"I'm sorry, Jake. I guess I have been living and breathing this case for so long..."

"Actually, as much as I want to get to know you better, I would love to talk about the suit."

"Well, tell me what questions you have or what you want to know."

As they ate their meal, Jake asked questions and Daphne answered besides telling him her opinion and asking what he thought of her opinions. "I think you have a good instinct. How did you and Kinney hook up for this project? I mean it is unusual for two news agencies to work together. How did you connect up?"

"He had an interview with Justin and..."

"Justin Taylor? I saw that interview. How does that connect with you?"

"Justin has been my best friend since we were about 13."

"Is Justin one of the victims, too?" Jake asked with interest. "Was that the hidden tension behind those two?"

"Jake, I am not talking about my best friend." Trying to change the subject, "You do know what happened during that interview?"

"No, oh wait! It was when that building collapsed wasn't it?"

"Yes, Justin's studio is about two blocks from that block. They were trapped overnight."

"They are very different people and didn't get along well at the beginning but they have made peace now." That's not all they have made, she thought.

"So what is Brian's story? Was his childhood really as bad as the notes sound?"

"I think it may have been worse. He had to learn to deal at a very young age so what was normal for him wasn't normal for other kids his age. He didn't even think about his assault as being abuse until..." Daph reached across the table and touched his forearm, "Please don't say anything. You should be getting this first hand from him."

"Oh, I will. Staff from my office have already spoken to several of the plaintiffs and I have an appointment with Brian on Monday."

"Don't let his aloofness fool you. Brian Kinney feels very deeply, when he allows himself, too."

"You sound like you have gotten to know him well."

"No one knows Brian well. Now, tell me about yourself." Daphne made it clear she was done talking about Brian Kinney.  

After ordering a dessert to share, Jake and Daph talked about themselves.  They learned about their childhoods and families. Jake was a few years older and came from a large family.  He had been married for a short time right out of college but his wife had left him and he hadn't been in a serious relationship since.

"Daphne, how come someone like you is still single? You are beautiful, intelligent. You are a wonderful dinner companion." 

"So are you. I mean you seemed to enjoy talking about my case while we ate. That's usually where my dates end."

"Have you ever thought about switching jobs? I really think we could use you in our office. I know you have a journalism degree but..."

"You have been checking me out?"

"I checked you out before I met you. I had heard of Kinney, but, I hate to admit it, I had never heard of you. That was my bad. Your work is amazing."

"Did you just use ‘my bad' in a sentence?" Daphne smirked at him across the table.

Jake reached over and took her hand. The heat of his fingers sent a shock through her arm. "Are you up for a nightcap somewhere?"

"How about my place?" Daph asked as she stood up.

"I can't think of a place I'd rather go."

Jake paid the bill and, placing his hand on the small of her back, he guided her out the door. "I'll ride with you, if you don't mind. You can drop me back at my car when you go home in the morning."

When Jake opened the door for her, Daph put a hand on his cheek and kissed him. Jake pulled her close and kissed her long enough for her to melt inside. "Can we make it after lunch?"

 

"Let me guess, you got laid." Brian smiled at Daph. "Funny thing is, when I met with Jake yesterday, he had the same look on his face."

"What did he say?"

"He was a total gentleman." Brian smiled across the table, "He seems like a really good guy.  He respected my boundaries, not that I have many. The only thing I found odd was he mentioned Justin and spoke of the explosion. I think he wanted to ask about Caleb and Justin."

"You didn't say... Of course you didn't." Daphne looked over at Brian, "We are about done with our part, you know."

"I have a feeling Mr. Assistant District Attorney is going to keep coming up with things for you to do."

"He thinks they could find a place for me at his office. He said they are always looking for good investigators."

"I know you enjoy your job, and I know you aren't in it for the fame. I think you might enjoy a job there."

"At one point I had thought about becoming a lawyer, I even took some classes in the law.  Maybe I could become a paralegal."

"I have a feeling you have already made up your mind."

"If the offer is good, I think I will. Jake said today the police in Iowa are picking up Caleb and he will be extradited back to Pittsburgh."

"We both know he doesn't have any money. Jake said they may try to sue the school district."

"What good is that going to do? I know you have the list of Board Members that served while Caleb kept getting passed from school to school."

"I do. What are you thinking, Brian?"

"Somebody on that Board had a connection with him. If they had that much power they had money, too."

"Brian! Why didn't I think of that?"

They spent the next two hours making a list of all the Board members in Pittsburgh over the 12 years Caleb Franklin taught in the county. They narrowed it down to two men and a woman. "Let's each take one of the guys and then whoever is done first can take the woman or we can check her out together."

Thirty minutes later, Brian said, "This guy was a real sleaze in his early years but it couldn't have been him. We failed to notice, although he was on the Board the whole time, ten of those years he was on the Board in name only. He had Alzheimers. After the first year, he didn't know his own name. He was the kind that went down hill mentally but his body hung on for years."

"I don't get the feeling it is mine either. I just have one more thing I want to check but it isn't looking like him. Why don't you start on Ms. Perdue?"

Ten minutes later, just as Daphne finished up the other man, Brian said, "Fuck, we got her. How could this have gone unnoticed. It took me, what, five minutes?"

"What did you find, Brian?" Both Daph and Brian jumped at the sound of Justin's voice. "I couldn't get either of you on your phones so I thought I would stop by." Justin kissed the top of Daph's head and then moved to the other side of the table where Brian had stood and by the time the two separated, Daphne was as flushed as they were. 

"Um, Justin, Brian thinks he knows who kept Caleb in the school system. Perdue was the sorority sister of Caleb's mother. The Jonas family..."

"Wait! Who is the Jonas family?"

"That is Caleb's real last name. They fell on hard times and Caleb's father committed suicide while Caleb was in college. It appears he made some terrible business choices and Caleb had gotten in trouble with the law several times by then. Caleb then took his mother's maiden name to get the teaching job in the first place. If he had picked a random name, I might not have noticed." Justin sat on a chair next to Brian and took his hand.

"Brian, are you about done for the day? I made reservations..."

"You two go. I will put some of these leads together and pass them on to Jake.  By the time Franklin, Franken, whatever his name is, gets to Pennsylvania, Jake's team will be able to nail both of them. Please don't tell me she's dead."

"She is alive and kicking and sits on at least three major Boards in the city." Brian commented as Justin pulled him to his feet. He put his arms around Justin and kissed him lightly, "This is about over. All of this will be over soon."

 

Justin was very quiet all the way to the restaurant. It wasn't a fancy place but it was relatively new and all the reviews were steller. Brian wasn't sure why he had gotten silent but he didn't want to push him until he could hold his hands and look into his eyes. 

Brian slipped the maitre d' a $50 to get a private table. Justin had been doing so well the last couple weeks. Dr. Shannon had said the two of them both had come so far. Brian had come to realize how he had let Caleb manipulate him, and Justin was learning how to deal with the memory and not ‘get over it' but ‘letting go' of the humiliation."

As they were seated at a cozy booth, Brian ordered a bottle of wine and an appetizer platter and then put both his arms around Justin. "Tell me what's wrong."

"Wrong?"

"Don't fuck with me... well, don't do that now. You came into my office full of energy and then you shut down."

"I want nothing to do with this and for the first time in years I am pulling my shit together. I think I am going to leave the country. My agent has wanted me to do a tour in Europe. I've told him to set it up. I'm going to leave in about a week."

"Don't be rash, Justin. We can..." Brian stopped talking when the server came with the wine and first course. He started to pour the wine but Brian snatched it away. "I can do that!" The server quickly handed it to him and rushed away. "Fuck, I'll apologize later." Brian poured them each a glass.

"Brian, I know we were starting to head somewhere and none of this is your fault. Well, maybe it was. I don't think I would have been able to do this without the confidence I have gained because of you."

"Don't tell me that. Justin, please, think before you jump..."

Justin popped a calamari ring in his mouth. "We have a week and I will come back when this all blows over."

Brian faced the table and ate the ring and popped another bite in his mouth. "You do know how long some of these cases can last. Are you ready to be gone that long?"

Justin was quiet as they both ate a bit more and then he said, "I don't think I have an option. If I don't, I'm afraid I will disappear from the world, and myself."

Brian took his hand and squeezed it. "I don't like it but I think I understand." Brian kissed him. 
"Let's order dinner."

"Let's order it to go. We can finish our wine and this while we wait."

"I like that idea." Brian kissed him again as the server walked up again. After apologizing profusely to the young man, they ordered their main course to go.

Two hours later, the meal finished, dirty plates on the counter, and Brian and Justin moved to the bedroom. They did not leave the room until the sun was up. "Are you sure there is no way for me to change your mind? I could move in here with you. I could..."

"Brian, I care about you, but right now, I need to think about me. Let's just enjoy our time left." Justin rolled over and straddled him, leaning down and biting his nipple.

"Fuck," Brian said softly as he rolled over, pinning Justin below him. The remainder of the weekend, they didn't leave his apartment.

 

On Monday morning, Brian appeared in Daphne's office. "Did you know?"

"Looks like you spent the weekend in bed," she said with a smile.

"Daphne, did you know?"

"Thursday we talked and he said he was thinking about it but he hadn't heard from his agent. He just told me it was definite this morning."

"Can't you change his mind?"

"Brian, as much as I'll miss him, this is the right thing for him. It may not work for you or me but Justin needs to worry about himself." Brian dropped into the chair across from her and she got up and hugged him from behind. "You love him, don't you?"

Brian took a deep breath and let it out. "I really don't know. I have never been in love before but I do know that I like to have him around. I like to wake up with him next to me." 

Daph kissed his cheek and stood up. "I understand that."

"But, as much as I hate it, you're right. It is up to him." Brian pulled out a notebook and flipped a couple pages. "Speaking of being in bed all weekend, did Jake say anything about Caleb being arrested?"

"A couple of officers are on their way to Iowa right now to bring him back here. He didn't tell me much but Jake said all Franklin would say was they had the wrong guy. Are you sorry you got into all this?"

"No, not at all. I just wish I wouldn't have been so blind to all this." Brian got up and paced the small office.

"Brian, you were a kid and a victim yourself." 

"I know. It's just, after reading all these affidavits from all the men... He has to be in his late 40's isn't he?"

"I think he is 47."

"If I would have said something 15 years ago..."

"Who would you have told? Debbie? She would have fought for you but we both know she probably wouldn't have known what to really do."

"I know you are right."

"Brian, if you have time to take off. Go spend as much time with Justin as you can."

"I have to go film a couple shows today but I will take the rest of the week off."

"He will probably have to work on some things..."

"And I will just sit and watch him work. I swear I could watch him..."

"Ya, ya. I don't want to hear it. Jake said he will contact you as soon as Franklin is locked up.  He is hoping you will verify he is the right man."

"I can't wait to look him in the eye and show him he didn't beat me."  Brian stood up, "I'm going to go tell Justin I understand and ..."

"And that you love him and will be here when he gets back," Daphne said.

"I will tell him that as much as I don't want him to leave, I do understand."

"If that's as good as you got." She smiled at him and softly said, "That will do."

 

Brian and Daphne went their own way. Brian called Justin as he drove to his office. "Brian, I really don't want to ..."

"Justin, I was just hoping you wouldn't mind if I took time off to hang out with you later this week.  I can help you pack up some of your work or whatever you need help with."

Justin was silent for a second and then said, "You don't have... I would love that."

"I have to work tomorrow but I hope to take off the rest of the time before you leave."

"Brian, you don't have to. I am glad you want to but I know you have a job to do."

"Justin, I have plenty of vacation time. I would not be feeling the way I am if it wasn't for you.  For the first time in my life, I understand so much I didn't before, and that's because of you."

"No, it is because of Dr. Shannon."

"Justin, I would never have gone if it wasn't for you." Brian paused. "I just got to the office. I'll see you Wednesday. Let me know when and where you want me."

"Brian, I want you everywhere, all the time." He laughed a bit and then said, "I'll let you know.  Pack a bag so you can stay?"

"I will. See you Wednesday." Before Brian could get out of the car, his phone pinged. It was a message from Jake. ‘Franklin has been booked. He wants you to interview him.' Brian responded, ‘Where do I go?' The response came in and Brian threw the car in reverse and left the garage, squealing the tires as he did.

 

"I'm Brian Kinney. I was told I would be able to speak to Caleb Franklin."

"Mr. Kinney, thanks for coming." A tall,well dressed man walked up from behind him. "I am John Thomas. I will be representing Mr. Franklin. If you don't mind, we can speak in private in this room before speaking to Mr. Franklin."

Brian followed the lawyer into a small interrogation room. Brian dropped into a chair by the table before speaking. "I'm not sure why he wants to speak to me."

"Before we speak with him together, I would like to know what to expect."

"Franklin has abused more than two dozen men, then boys, in Pittsburgh alone. You and I both know if he did hit here, he did it in other places, too."

"I just received some of the documentation last night so I haven't read it all yet. I'll find you in the list of complainants, won't I?"

"Yes. What has he said to you?"

"About the only thing he has said is he wants an interview with you."

"I'll talk to him, but I have to have the exclusive on his story."

"I don't think that will be a problem."

"And if he is just talking shit, I keep the exclusive because then I can kill the whole story."

"He may not go for that."

"Those are my terms. See what he says. Write up something he can sign. I have something to do. I'll be back in thirty minutes."

 

While the lawyer talked to his client, Brian planned for the rest of the week. He ordered a couple meals that had to be ordered ahead of time. He ordered peking duck for one evening with Justin and ordered a lobster mac and cheese from another place just to make sure they would have a serving for each of them for another evening. He wanted to have a couple special meals for the end of the week. Brian then took a deep breath and walked back into the station ready to confront a man that had probably changed his life.

Caleb had already been moved into an interrogation room and was shackled to the table. When Brian walked in, he stood and smiled. "Brian Kinney, I knew you would be as beautiful as you are. I've followed some of my boys. You have become a real success. I always knew you had that kind of drive. I mean, I remember the first time you walked into the shower and..."

"You aren't in charge here, Franklin. I was a child. You set up that encounter. You knew my weakness."

"Brian, it was nothing like that. I just wanted to give you the love and support you needed."

"Fuck off, Caleb. I have read statements from more than 25 men. We have 20 that are going to face you in court. You are going to crash and burn for this. If you want to say something about your behavior all these years, this is your chance. Did he sign something?"

Thomas nodded and Caleb said, "But Thomas said you wouldn't print my story if you didn't like it."

"I already don't like it, but that isn't exactly what I said. What I won't put in my interview is anything I know isn't true. I will tell the world why you did what you did, not anything that claims you didn't do it."

"I agree with that." He looked at his attorney who nodded. "I admit I was with some underaged men, including you, but I don't remember you ever complaining. I was just educating them. That was what I was hired to do."

"So now you are trying to say this was part of the educational experience?" Brian was keeping his voice professional. "You don't think that the age was a bit young?"

"What 14 year old doesn't want sex? I was just there to help them learn. You weren't upset when we played. I remember you coming to me most of the time."

"So what do you think the age of consent should be?"

"Oh, I never would approach anyone younger than 13. I didn't want a child. I wanted a willing teenager. I don't rape men."

Brian looked at the lawyer whose mouth hung open. "I think we should stop for now." John said.  "I think it would be smart for you and me to review a few things, Caleb."

"I will be unavailable until next week. I have a day of interviews tomorrow and then I plan to be off. John, you have my number. Let me know when next week you want us to get together again. I will have some preplanned questions which I will send you ahead of time."

"I'll talk more now. I have nothing to hide," Caleb said.

"Caleb, we need to talk before this goes any further. I want you to be aware of the consequences to what you are saying."

"But I..." Caleb began.

"I'll be in touch, John."

The whole trip, Brian kept going over what the bastard had said. He could not believe Caleb really thought that. He didn't want to even think about that right now. He had a day of filming to do tomorrow and then the case was going to be forgotten for four days. Justin was all that mattered. He didn't care what they did during the day but at night he wanted to spend it in bed with him.

 

After spending a day taping shows, he finished earlier than expected so he texted Justin. ‘Free for dinner tonight?'

Brian had driven home before getting a response. ‘A late one? Bring a bag. 9:00 at the studio.'

‘I'll be there and bring dinner.' Brian packed a bag with a few changes of clothes and plenty of condoms. He picked up Chinese on the way and grabbed a bunch of flowers at the shop next to the restaurant and drove the last few blocks to the studio. He ran his hands through his hair before grabbing the food and flowers. He pressed the doorbell and heard the door unlock. He moved up the steps and found the studio door open. "Hello?" his voice echoed through the walls but then he heard movement in the upper living area. "Justin, are you up there?"

"Come up, Bri. I just got out of the shower."

Brian walked up the steep steps and found Justin pulling on a pair of briefs. "You know I wouldn't mind if you left them off."

As Justin pulled on some sweats and a t-shirt he said, "I need some sustenance first. I haven't eaten since this morning." He walked to the kitchen and grabbed two beers from the fridge and then some plates he had set out.

They enjoyed their meal. Brian talked about his day. There were a couple well known celebrities in the city for a movie premiere and he told Justin about how rude and childish the women were. "They had both hit on me and then they got pissed at each other. I said I couldn't choose between them because they were both so charming."

"You weren't tempted?"

Brian stood and pulled Justin to his feet, cocooning him in his long arms, "You never have to worry about me and women." He brushed his lips on Justin's, "What did you do today?" Brian trailed his mouth down Justin's neck and his hands moved into his sweatpants. 

"Fuck what I did today. I thought since this was where we first ‘slept' together we should really..." he stopped talking as Brian tugged off his shirt. 

Brian guided him to the bed. He slipped the sweats down off of Justin's hips along with the briefs. Justin stepped out of them and then did the same with Brian's. When they were both naked, they began to explore each other's bodies. They were soon prone on the mattress. "I hated you so much when we first met. I know now it was all undeserved."

"Maybe not all... but I'm glad you realize that now." Brian moved slowly down Justin's body, kissing or nipping each freckle or skin crease. As he worked his way down, Justin's need grew more intense and when Brian finally took him in his mouth he sighed from the pleasure he felt. Brian teased and taunted until Justin couldn't hold off any longer. Brian licked off every last drop of cum before Justin repeated the exercise on Brian. The only difference was when Brian knew he was about to lose control he pulled Justin up and, laying him on his back, he slipped on a condom and, as he crushed Justin's mouth, he entered him and just the feel of Justin around him sent him over the edge.

 

A few minutes later as they lay next to each other Brian said, "How do you do that to me?"

"Do what?"

"I've always been known for the stamina to hold off but with you... all I have to do is feel you and... I lose myself."

"All of us need to lose ourselves sometime."

 

The rest of the week they spent every minute together. When they weren't packing up a few of Justin's canvas, they were at Justin's apartment and Brian helped him choose what clothes he should bring. He also took him out and he helped him find some new clothes for his interviews, both casual and a couple suits. 

The one thing they never did was speak about the case, however, as they lay in bed the last morning, Justin asked, "Is he back... In Pittsburgh, I mean."

"Yes, he's been in here all week."

"Have you seen him?"

"I have. I will be interviewing him." Brian turned to fully face Justin. "I have the exclusive but I promise, you will not be mentioned. I think he is going to try to claim diminished mental health. He tried... Never mind. I do not want to spend our last couple of hours talking about it."

"Brian, why don't you come with me? Have you been to Europe? We could explore it together." Justin kissed him.

"Justin, I understand why you are doing what you are doing but I need to do what is right for me. Justin, we don't have an exclusive relationship and I would never expect that, but just know that when you return, I hope to continue this."

Justin pushed Brian flat on his back. "I was hoping you would say that." Justin straddled him, kissing him deeply. "I think we have time for one more round. Brian would you let me..."

"You can do anything, Justin." Brian rolled so his back was to him. "I want you to." 

As Justin entered him, Brian absorbed the pain and then the pleasure. Justin moved slowly, letting the tension for both of them build and, when he knew he was close he stopped moving and, reaching around Brian began stroking him ever so gently, sending an electric shock through him. As Brian started to shiver from Justin's touch, Justin thrust in hard and fast about five times. They both climaxed and laid there as long as they could, Justin still buried deep inside him with an arm draped across Brian's waist.

"I have to shower," Justin said. "Join me?"

"No, I want to carry your scent with me as long as I can." Brian pulled his clothes on quickly while Justin watched him from the bed. Brian walked over and kissed him once more. "I can't wait until you get back. Call me? Let me know the final itinerary?"

"I will, Brian. We'll talk, right?"

"Be careful, over there," Brian said. "I've gotten used to having you in my life." With that sentence, Brian left without turning around.

 

Chapter 7 by Simply written

 

Chapter 7 

 

Justin let Brian know he had landed safely and he had attached a list of cities he was going to and an approximate date he would be there. He said the schedule still had a little fluctuation but he would call him when he was switching locations. Brian had decided he was not going to bother him. He needed time away and Brian knew he would be busy with this case and he needed to focus on that right now.

Brian set up a meeting with John Thomas for that afternoon at the lawyer's office. Brian didn't waste time. "What is your plan for him? He's going to try to convince the world he is mentally unstable or something like that, right?"

"Isn't he? Unstable that is."

"No, he never hesitated when he raped a victim. He planned and plotted until he sucked them in. I didn't even realize that was what he was doing when he pulled me in. Now it is all very clear to me."

"Brian, you know your situation is slightly different then the rest. It is no less terrible, but a little less violent."

"I realize that. I know I might not be the best witness to be on the stand. Please tell me how you are proceeding?"

"We are going to try not guilty by reason of mental defect."

"He's defective alright. If he doesn't want to talk again, I'd be thrilled." 

"I'm starting to wonder if I should have allowed you to ever talk with him."

"Trust me, I would rather not ever talk to him again. If he is ready to shut down, please let me know. I don't want to be near him." Brian stood and walked to the office door, "He needs to be locked away for life. He is not crazy. He is deviant. He is not crazy."

"Crazy is where my case is."

Brian walked out and immediately texted Jake. Now that he had an idea what Caleb was planning, he couldn't tell Jake what he knew but he could tell him as much as he knew and he could encourage the other men to remember details.

The plaintiffs had come into town. Jake and Daphne were planning to review each man's statements with them but after the first round it was obvious that the men were not comfortable talking to Daphne. "Let me talk to the next one. I have a feeling if you stay in the back you will be able to corroborate the statements but they will be talking to me instead of a woman. That should make it less uncomfortable for them."

"Sure, Brian. I hated how nervous I seemed to make the last one."

By the end of the afternoon, twenty statements had been verified. Brian knew the right way to broach the subjects they wanted to avoid and more than once brought up his own story to help the plaintiff relax. At 5:00 they stopped for the day. Jake had lined up dinner in the hotel for all the men that had come to town. They had a private room so all of them could feel more at ease.  While the men were arriving and eating hors d'oeuvres, Brian mingled. Many of the men were having mini reunions. They had been classmates, some were even old friends who had not realized the other had been abused as well.

As the last of the men arrived, and Daphne slipped in and stood by Jake's side, Brian stood on a chair. "Hey, everyone, can I have your attention?" When everyone had quieted down, he continued. "I want to thank all of you for coming tonight, and more importantly that you are brave enough to show the world what real men look like. Some of you have met this wonderful young woman over there. Daphne jumped in with both feet when I brought up the abuse that went on.  Some of you may recognize her from high school. Without her investigative skills I am not sure we would be here tonight. I know when this is over, none of us will have won, but no more young boys will have to live through what we did." Brian looked around, "Please enjoy yourselves tonight. The food is coming out now. I just want to thank you for coming and for those of you that are sticking around, I look forward to getting to know you all better."

The food was ready and everyone went through the buffet setup. As the food was eaten and the alcohol flowed, some of the conversations became quieter as stories were shared. As the event began to disperse, Brian tried to say goodnight to each one as they left.

After saying goodnight to Daphne and Jake, all Brian wanted to do was crawl into bed with Justin. He drove past a couple of clubs but he wasn't in the mood. When he got home he checked one of his hook up apps but no one caught his attention. Instead he just went to bed and looked at the schedule Justin had sent him. He pictured him asleep or more likely, he was just getting up for a new day. Fuck! What was happening to him? He wasn't one to be philosophical but since spending time with Justin Taylor, he was seeing life very differently and Justin was always there with him.

 

The next couple weeks had been hectic. Jake prepared for an initial hearing with the judge. It would be the first time he saw Caleb in the flesh and Daphne planned to be right behind him in case he had any questions or needed any documents. She had become essential to his law firm and to him personally.

Brian never went back to talk to Caleb. John had convinced his client that talking to Brian would affect him adversely. Caleb's only complaint was he had signed an exclusive with Brian so if he didn't talk to him, he wouldn't be able to talk to anyone.

When Brian walked into the courtroom and sat next to Jake, representing all of the men listed on the lawsuit, Caleb could barely take his eyes off of him. Then, over time, more than a dozen of the men listed in the suit came and sat in the gallery, surrounding Daphne. Brian kept an eye on Caleb who couldn't stop looking at the men. When he realized they were all previous students, he smiled over at some of them but they all ignored him. They had decided no one would acknowledge him until they were at the podium reading off their victim statements.  

When it was about time for the hearing to start two older women walked in and sat down at a third table near Caleb and John. Brian looked at Jake who said softly, "That is the infamous Ms. Perdue. I wasn't sure if they would manage to get her here today. She has a lot of people in high places. You don't look too surprised."

"I'm not. I made a couple calls myself. I don't have much power but I have interviewed many people who do. I contacted people on a couple of the Boards she sits on."

"And all I had were the district attorney and police to threaten her," Jake said, smiling at Brian. When he had first met this man, he wasn't sure he could deal with the cocky, good looking man but as he got to know him, he realized that Brian had a commitment and loyalty that you rarely find. He was glad he would probably continue to socialize with him from time to time since they were dating best friends.

Everyone stood as the Judge walked in and then they were all told to be seated. The female judge addressed the courtroom. "Today we are here to look into the allegations that Caleb Jonas, also known as Caleb Franklin and Caleb Franken, did abuse in excess of 25 teenage boys over a 12 year period." The judge then turned to look at Ms. Perdue. "We also have a second accomplice, who may or may not be charged with one or multiple offenses."

At that Ms. Perdue blanched, losing all color in her face and her lawyer stood, "Your honor, I do not think my client should have any charges brought against her, but even if the DA decides to bring charges against her, they should not be compared to Mr. Franklin's.

"You are correct that it is up to the DA and I happen to believe your client might actually be more responsible for the defendant's actions. She was complacent and even worked to keep him employed for the years he spent in Pittsburgh and then any later victims there could be."

Now it was John's turn to stand up. "Your honor, my client has not been convicted of anything at this time and yet you are already..."

Her honor interrupted, "He is the defendant who has been accused of a multitude of things. I just wanted to make sure everyone who may have anything to do with this case is here from the start. And the defendant is aware this is not the trial, correct?"

"Yes, your honor," John said. "It has been explained that this hearing will decide what Mr. Franklin will be charged with."

"It sounds like you have done your job. Now, Mr. Ryan, will you make your opening statement."

Jake stood up and started, "Your honor, I know everyone involved has read the charges. Thank you for giving me permission to have some of the gentlemen named in the suit speak at this hearing."

One by one, the men took their turn at the mic. After hearing about half of them the judge recessed until the next day. She was visibly shaken by the stories she had heard. "My docket is full the rest of the week. I am sorry for the delay but we will reconvene a week from today." With that the judge stood and left the room. Then Caleb was led out to return to his jail cell before the rest of the room began to clear out.

Brian saw John coming over to the table. He tapped Jake on the shoulder, nodded to John and then moved back with the rest of the men in the gallery. Brian spoke to each of the men that had addressed the court. Caleb had reacted very little during the testimonies. He smiled at the first couple men who had spoken but he realized his charm was not going to work on his victims anymore. After that he did everything he could not to make eye contact. Brian had watched him get more nervous with each new survivor.

As the men started to walk out to the hall, Brian looped an arm around Daphne's shoulders and moved toward the door. Glancing over his shoulder, John and Jake continued to talk at the front of the hearing room. "Brian, what do you think they are talking about?"

"My guess is John is hoping to get a plea bargain."

"Do you think Jake will go for that?"

"What do you think? You work at the office with him. What have they talked about? They had to bring this up at some point."

"Yes, they discussed a couple options. They were hoping he would just admit to it and save all the time of a trial."

"I am not sure he will do that. I don't think he will ever admit what he did was wrong. In his warped mind, I don't think he sees it as wrong. Somehow he has convinced himself that all of them really wanted him, really did want it." 

Daphne slipped an arm around Brian's waist, "Have you talked to Dr. Shannon since Justin left?"

"Why?"

"Because I think you could use someone to talk to."

"Have you heard from Justin?"

"No more than a couple texts as he traveled to Spain."

"Yeah, I got that, too."

"Brian, do you love him?"

"I'm not sure I know what love is, but I do know that I miss seeing that face. I miss the feel of..."

"I get it, Brian. There is something about Justin. If he lets you in, he shares his full heart."

"I told him I hoped we could continue when he returned."

"Well, maybe he needs some encouragement to return."

"Do you know what hotel he is staying at?"

"I could find out from his agent. Why?"

"I think I might send him something just to remind him I'm waiting for him."

"Have you actually been waiting? No one else?"

"I was going to but I realized I didn't want anyone else."

"Brian, I would say that is love."

"Who's in love?" Jake came up behind Daph and Brian, brushing his lips on Daphne's temple.

Changing the subject, Brian asked, "What did Thomas have to say?"

"He wants Franklin, Jonas, whatever his last name is, to take a plea bargain. I am going to draw up a document and hopefully it will be accepted."

"Oh, Jake, is that what you want? I mean I don't want him to get off too easily." Daphne switched her arm from Brian to Jake.

"I agree, however, I am sure Jake will make sure he doesn't get out," Brian said.

"Well, we are looking at 25 years."

"25 years! That isn't long enough!" Daph said as she looked between Brian and Jake."

"My darling, Daph, that is per victim." Jake pulled her close.

"Jake, do you really think he will agree to that?" Brian asked and then said to a group of the men, "Drinks at the hotel at 6:00 for anyone around."

"I am not sure but I know Perdue doesn't want her name drug through all this. Right now I think she just hopes to resign and retire out of town. Of course it isn't her choice, but I think if anyone can get this to happen it is her."

"You're right there." Brian responded.

"What are your plans for the night?" Daph asked him.

"I am having drinks with..." he pointed down the hall where the men were getting on the elevator.

"Why don't we join and then you can come to dinner with us?"

"No, you two don't get much time alone as it is. I'll grab a bite at the hotel and then just head home."

"Brian, give him a call. If you call now he will be awake and if you wait until later, he won't mind being woken up."

"I'll see. I'm going to head home for a bit and then go to the hotel. You two enjoy your evening."

Daphne kissed Brian's cheek and Jake and Brian shook hands. "Thanks, Brian. Oh, by the way, I think Caleb wants you to tell his story yet. I just want you to know that he may be calling."

"Thanks, Jake."

Brian walked away and once he was out of range Daphne said softly, "Brian is in love with Justin but he doesn't know how to deal with those feelings."

"Knowing his history, I can understand that. Do you think Justin feels the same?"

"I think he does. I think he needs someone that can relate to what he went through. I have never seen him react with another man."

"Well, let's get this case wrapped up so Justin can come back." He took Daphne's hand and they strolled down the hall. "Where do you want to eat dinner?"

"My place."

"That is the best idea I've heard in a long time."

 

Brian changed into jeans and a comfortable shirt and then looked at the clock. It was 5:00 pm.  That would make it 11:00 in Spain. Maybe he would give him a call. Brian sat on the sofa and called Justin. It rang several times before he heard his voice.

"Hey, Brian, I didn't expect to hear from you." 

Brian heard a voice in the background talking to Justin. "I just wanted you to know there is a plea deal in the works but I can hear you are with someone."

"It is just my driver. I am on my way back to the hotel."

"Well, I just wanted you to know. We have a one week window for everything to fall into place."

"Oh, good." There was some muffled noise and then Justin was back on the line.

"Brian, I hate to do this but I have to go. There is something going on ahead."

"Sorry, of course you are busy. Please let me know you arrived at  the hotel safely."

"Oh, sure..." and with that, Justin ended the call.

Brian stood and walked over to pour himself a shot. He threw his head back as the liquid slid down his throat. He then picked up his phone and set up an Uber. Of course Justin had activities going on. He was promoting his work. He was making a name for himself in Europe. They had no commitment to each other. Tonight he would drink and hopefully in the morning, he would have gotten rid of this heavy feeling in his chest. Was he coming down with something? Nothing a night of drinking wouldn't fix and if the right guy came along... He could use a quick fuck.

 

Brian skipped dinner and drank until two of the other survivors walked him out to an Uber around midnight. They paid the driver extra if he would make sure Brian got into his building. As they arrived at his flat the driver helped him unlock the door and got him on the lift before leaving. Brian went up and fell into his home. "Justin. Ah shit, you're not here, but I want you here." He locked the door and stumbled to the bathroom to pee before staggering to the bed and dropping on it face first and immediately passing out.

 

Justin had an early meeting. He woke from a dream at 6:00. He could have sworn he heard Brian's voice. He missed him more than he expected. He had a couple offers from men to join him in bed but he realized he didn't want any of them. He could only imagine touching Brian's long, lean legs. He only wanted his strong arms around him. He still had three weeks scheduled. Maybe the case would be done by then. If not, he had more options to continue his tour.

On a whim he picked up his phone and texted Brian. ‘You are probably still out for the night. Sorry I cut you off last night. There was an accident and the driver was flustered. Let me know what happens with the judge.'

Justin stretched and stood up. He walked to the bathroom and turned on the shower. He had a gallery show planned for the rest of the week. The breakfast meeting was to discuss the arrangement of his pictures. After that he was going to Ibiza. He was going to have some of his pictures on display for two weeks. His agent had a friend with a place on the beach so the rest of the time he was going to spend a relaxing couple of weeks soaking up the sun and painting. 

 

The week went quickly. By Tuesday, Jake and John had come up with a plea bargain and Caleb agreed to it. His only stipulation was that Brian would interview him before meeting with the judge again on Friday. So on Wednesday afternoon Brian met with his abuser one last time.

The first hour Brian reviewed the questions he planned to ask and then he set up the camera and the real interview began. Caleb told Brian about his childhood. His parents had divorced when he was only a toddler and because his mother had some mental health issues his father gained custody. He told Brian how he had been abused by his father. It was obvious early on he was gay and his father was sure raping him over and over would ‘break' him of his ‘chosen' sexuality. If it wasn't his father it was one of his father's friends.

Brian believed some of what Caleb was saying but he had a feeling some of it was exaggerated.  He continued to ask questions and Caleb told him about his father's death and his mother taking over his upbringing. Her family had money and sent him to boarding school. Of course there was more abuse there.

When he was done telling his story, Brian said asked him, "So the abuse you suffered ‘made' you abuse others?"

"You don't understand. That is the way I grew up, I thought that was..."

"Wait a minute, Caleb. The college you went to to become a teacher didn't go over what child abuse was and how, as an educator, you were to report this kind of behavior?"

"But I didn't realize..."

"Don't try to bullshit me and the million people that might be watching this. My childhood wasn't pleasant but I didn't grow up to hurt others. You chose to repeat the abuse."

"I didn't hurt anyone. I just showed those young men..."

"Boys, Caleb. None of the men who are named in the case were men when this happened to them. It all happened when they were boys. You seem to lose interest once they hit 16. Face it, you like to dominate and you didn't feel like enough of a man to dominate someone your own age and size so you picked vulnerable boys. Just like you had been vulnerable with your father, you hurt them and threatened them to keep quiet. You felt weak so wanted to dominate someone, anyone."

"That is not true. I am not weak. I controlled every last move we made when you and I were dating."

"Oh, Franklin, we were never dating. I was just one of your victims. You knew my homelife was not ideal and you know I was gay. You did everything you could gain my trust at the same time you raped me. I was a child, you were a teacher. Even if I had followed you home and crawled in your bed, I was a minor and you were a pedophile." Brian took a deep breath and stood, "I have more than enough to show the world who you really are."

"Brian, that just isn't the way it was. It really wasn't." Caleb kept talking as Brian picked up the camera and tripod and walked out the door of the interview room, hoping he would never have to see that man again.

On Thursday, Brian received a call from John. "I don't know what happened yesterday at your interview but whatever you said seems to have sunk in. Tomorrow morning, DA Ryan and I will meet with the judge and Caleb to sign the agreement. There will not be another open hearing."

When Brian ended the call he actually whooped. He got permission to meet with the local men who had planned to be there on Friday and met them for dinner on Thursday.  At 7:00 p.m. Jake and Daphne walked in and Jake announced that the case would be settled tomorrow and they were all free to go home after dinner of course. As the information soaked in, a cheer went up first but then one by one some of the men became solemn and then tears began to flow for some of them while others hugged the men that were most shaken. But then, after several minutes, everyone seemed to realize that although their nightmare would never be over, no more children would ever be touched by the man who took their innocence. Now maybe they all could heal.

Brian did go to the courthouse and waited for the lawyers to come out Friday morning. Jake and John walked out together and after giving Brian a thumbs up, they stopped and gave a brief statement to the press but Brian didn't wait around. He went to put the final touches on the interview, needing to do a few voice overs for it and do a final clip stating the plea agreement and stating that Caleb Jonas, AKA Caleb Franklin, AKA Caleb Franken will be sentenced to more than 300 years, assuring everyone that he will never touch another young boy.

 

Brian hadn't been home long on Friday night when the building buzzer went off at the same time he got a text. ‘Let us in.' It was from Daphne and with Justin out of the country, he figured he was Jake. He pressed the button letting them in and opened the door to the loft. 

"Brian, I just saw a click for your show tonight. It looks so amazing!" Daphne rushed over and hugged him.

"I'm just glad it is over. Now maybe Justin will come home."

"You know, you could go to him."

"Daphne, how do I know he wants me to?"

"I know my best friend. The couple times we talked and every text he has asked about you."

"Kinney, man up and go get your man!" Jake said and for the first time Brian noticed he had been drinking. "Yeah, I have been celebrating. I plan to take this beautiful woman to Puerto Rico for a week." He draped an arm over Brian's shoulders. "May I suggest you book a flight to Ibiza?"

"Fuck, why not!"

 

The next couple hours were filled with phone calls and web searches. By the time Daph and Jake left, they had tickets and reservations to fly to Puerto Rico on Sunday and Brian had a flight out at 9:00 pm Saturday and would arrive around noon on Sunday. Justin had a news conference on Monday morning that Brian planned to attend.

 

By the time Brian arrived in Ibiza, he was exhausted. He had slept some on his flights but traveling for 20 hours, he only wanted to have something to eat, shower, and sleep until morning. Brian showered and then ordered a light dinner. As he waited for it to arrive, he stood on his small balcony and looked out at the sea. He had an idea what area Justin was staying and he found himself looking in that direction. He could see someone near the beach and took a picture of the figure. He zoomed in and could see there was an easel standing in the sand. Just to be sure he was really looking at Justin he texted him, saying ‘Daph told me you have a news conference tomorrow. Good luck.'

Brian had barely hit send when, through his camera lens, he saw the figure pull out his phone. He sent a return message that said, ‘Thanks, I don't like to be in front of the camera'. Brian responded that he would do fine. 

Brian watched him until there was a knock on the door announcing his food was there. Brian went into his room and answered the door. He ate his dinner and then, after taking a quick look to see that Justin was no longer on the beach, he turned off the light and got into bed. Knowing Justin was so close had his mind buzzing, but jet lag overtook his need to be with him and soon he was sound asleep.

 

Justin tried painting after his text from Brian but he couldn't focus. He had the feeling he was being watched, but looking around the beach he was sure he was just missing Brian and that was what was making him unsettled. He packed up his art supplies and brought them into the house. After showering, he walked along the beach to a nearby bar. He ordered some seafood and a cocktail and he sat looking out over the tranquil sea. Brian would love it here. He wondered if he invited him if he would come for the weekend. But he couldn't ask him to do that.  He was busy wrapping up reporting on the trial and it was just far too long a flight for just a weekend.

He watched the sun set over the Mediterranean and then, after walking around, mingling with tourists, he made his way back to his house. He turned on some music and grabbed his sketch pad. An hour later he looked down and saw a picture of Brian, reclined on his bed, looking like he did after they made love. Justin felt his cock stir. Damn, he hoped this court thing was really almost over with. Justin showered and got in bed. Soon he was asleep and dreaming about Brian.

 

Justin took an early morning swim and again had the feeling of being watched as he walked out of the waves. 

Brian had asked for binoculars to watch the ‘sea birds' and he was now watching Justin walk out of the sea. He knew it would be just a matter of hours and he would have Justin in bed next to him where he belonged.

The news conference was scheduled for 10:45 that morning and as he ate breakfast, Brian watched the beach. He saw Justin, dressed in linen pants and shirt greet a gentleman with a handshake and then, together they walked into the hotel. 

It was time for Brian to put his plan in place. He had made sure he had brought his press pass along, unsure if they would honor it here but when he had checked in, the concierge assured him it would be a low key event and he couldn't see any reason why they wouldn't allow him in. He slipped into the room after he had seen a half dozen reporters walk into the room and then he followed, ducking behind an archway so he wasn't in full view of the table where Justin would sit. 

Brian was surprised when another six reporters walked in. He listened to their conversations buzzing between them and had to smile at the admiration they were giving Justin's work. Somehow Brian felt proud of his lover's accomplishments and he was so happy for him.

There was a stir in the room as a door in the front of the room was opened about an inch and then shut again. A server from the hotel soon rushed in with a tray that had water and glasses on it and set it on the table. As he left out the main door, the side door opened again, this time all the way, and Justin, along with another man, walked in and sat at the table.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen," the man with Justin started in heavily accented English.  "I am Mario Carrera. I own the gallery where our guest, Justin Taylor, has his work on display. If you have yet to see his work please stop when we have finished here. Now, who has a question for our artist?"

For the next 25 minutes Justin answered the questions that were asked. There were questions about his training and his family. There were questions about what he had planned for the next year. The whole time Justin spoke Brian stood just outside of his view.

"Do we have any more questions? Mr. Taylor is giving up time from his vacation for us today."

Brian leaned close to the woman standing next to him, "Ask him about his love life?" 

The woman smiled, "Mr. Taylor, I know there is no hope for me but I was wondering if you have a special man in your life?

Justin hesitated and then said, "I am not involved in a committed relationship at the moment."

"That sounds like you might have someone in mind." The woman had seen the look on Brian's face throughout the questions and answers and was fairly sure she knew what was going on here.

Justin smiled wistfully, "Let's just say I met someone shortly before I left the states and I am hoping I can pick up where I left off when I return."

Mario began to stand but the woman spoke once more, "You wouldn't happen to be attracted to tall men with dark hair, would you?" As she said this she pulled Brian's arm, sending him off balance and into Justin's view as he regained his balance.

"Yes, Justin, do you think you could be interested in a tall, good looking..." Brian looked at the woman and smiled before continuing. "Do you think there might be a chance you could pick up where you left off right here in Ibiza?"

Brian slowly moved toward the front of the room and Justin quickly moved so the table wouldn't be between them. At first Justin took Brian's hand and Brian reached to touch Justin's cheek. They moved simultaneously into each others' arms and then they kissed. At first not noticing their surroundings, but as the others attendees started applauding, Brian and Justin took a step apart and Justin turned to Mario, and then the others. "I think this is going to conclude our press conference today. Thank you all for coming and please do go take a look at my work."

Brian and Justin left through the closest door and without a word, Justin led them onto the elevator and then stepped into Brian's arms again. They kissed once and then Justin said, "I am guessing you have a room here? What floor?"

Brian reached over and pushed the button for the top floor and then pulled Justin into his arms for a few more moments until the doors opened and they walked out into the hall and then entered Brian's room.

"What are you doing here? Why didn't you tell me you were coming? Were you here already last night when you texted?"

"In reverse order, yes, it wouldn't have been a surprise if I told you, and... I needed you in my arms and in my bed." He began to unbutton Justin's shirt and it wasn't long before they lay in bed exploring each other with their hands and mouths. For the next hour they made love, only needing a few moments to rekindle the need after an orgasm. Finally they were spent and lay facing each other.

"Justin, your tour, did you extend it?"

"I am in negotiations."

"Will you stop those negotiations for something I want to propose?"

"Caleb is really locked away?"

"He will never see the light of day outside the prison walls."

"Then I just might be willing to negotiate with you."

"Come back to Pittsburgh and move in with me. Let's see if it will work. I have never felt like this before. I have never wanted someone to move in with me. I have never missed someone before and yet since you left, I have felt alone."

"Ok, if either of us want to end it, I will move out." Brian nodded. "We aren't going to totally close off our individual lives." Brian nodded again. "And if one of us isn't coming home at night we will let the other know."

"I can live with all of that and, in fact, I can't wait to try." Brian pulled him even closer and kissed him.

"Oh, one more thing," Justin started.

"What is it?"

"I have this house on the beach for ten more days. Stay with me?"

"Now that is a promise I know I can keep!" 

 

Epilogue

One year later-

Brian sat in the second row of the venue. Justin stood next to Daphne as she said I do to Jake in front of about 60 guests. As he watched Jake slip the ring on Daph's finger, he patted his pocket to make sure the ring box was still there. He wasn't sure when he would do it, but before they left for home tonight, he planned to offer Justin the ring and if all his dreams came true, tomorrow they would begin planning their own wedding.

Justin glanced at Brian and smiled and his heart skipped a beat. Maybe Justin would agree to elope.

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1806