Come Home to Me by addict_writer
Summary:

 chtm

Time heals all wounds, but some wounds are too deep. On the day Brian seeks Daphne’s help, it happens to be on the same day when Justin returns to Pittsburgh after years of absence. And he brings baggage and a sketchy past from New York. As much as Justin has tried to run from the lure of Brian's tangled web, he is about to fall right back into it. Will this time around be any different with the lessons they had learned over the years?


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Chris Hobbs, Cynthia, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Ethan Gold, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Kiki, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Ted Schmidt, Tucker
Tags: None
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 58 Completed: Yes Word count: 144753 Read: 19722 Published: Dec 03, 2023 Updated: Jan 22, 2024

1. Chapter 1 by addict_writer

2. Chapter 2 by addict_writer

3. Chapter 3 by addict_writer

4. Chapter 4 by addict_writer

5. Chapter 5 by addict_writer

6. Chapter 6 by addict_writer

7. Chapter 7 by addict_writer

8. Chapter 8 by addict_writer

9. Chapter 9 by addict_writer

10. Chapter 10 by addict_writer

11. Chapter 11 by addict_writer

12. Chapter 12 by addict_writer

13. Chapter 13 by addict_writer

14. Chapter 14 by addict_writer

15. Chapter 15 by addict_writer

16. Chapter 16 by addict_writer

17. Chapter 17 by addict_writer

18. Chapter 18 by addict_writer

19. Chapter 19 by addict_writer

20. Chapter 20 by addict_writer

21. Chapter 21 by addict_writer

22. Chapter 22 by addict_writer

23. Chapter 23 by addict_writer

24. Chapter 24 by addict_writer

25. Chapter 25 by addict_writer

26. Chapter 26 by addict_writer

27. Chapter 27 by addict_writer

28. Chapter 28 by addict_writer

29. Chapter 29 by addict_writer

30. Chapter 30 by addict_writer

31. Chapter 31 by addict_writer

32. Chapter 32 by addict_writer

33. Chapter 33 by addict_writer

34. Chapter 34 by addict_writer

35. Chapter 35 by addict_writer

36. Chapter 36 by addict_writer

37. Chapter 37 by addict_writer

38. Chapter 38 by addict_writer

39. Chapter 39 by addict_writer

40. Chapter 40 by addict_writer

41. Chapter 41 by addict_writer

42. Chapter 42 by addict_writer

43. Chapter 43 by addict_writer

44. Chapter 44 by addict_writer

45. Chapter 45 by addict_writer

46. Chapter 46 by addict_writer

47. Chapter 47 by addict_writer

48. Chapter 48 by addict_writer

49. Chapter 49 by addict_writer

50. Chapter 50 by addict_writer

51. Chapter 51 by addict_writer

52. Chapter 52 by addict_writer

53. Chapter 53 by addict_writer

54. Chapter 54 by addict_writer

55. Chapter 55 A by addict_writer

56. Chapter 55 B by addict_writer

57. Chapter 55 C by addict_writer

58. THE EPILOGUE by addict_writer

Chapter 1 by addict_writer
Author's Notes:

 

Cowlip own QaF, I'm just continuing their story.

Happy Birthday QaF!

 

Daphne was apprehensive to meet Brian at Babylon, when he called requesting her help. Despite the fact that she didn’t have any real obligations to him, not even through Justin anymore, she had stayed friends with Brian.

Two years after Justin’s departure to New York and constant visits on each part, Brian and Justin had decided it was best to part ways. Their relationship had always been more physical, and being apart for longer than a few days became too much. Even though in the beginning, they accepted the new challenge and acquired many flight miles, it was tiring.

Daphne could still remember the night Justin and Brian broke up. She could never forget it. Though, she tried not to think of it.

Babylon was deserted at five in the afternoon on a Friday, spare a few staff members preparing for the night’s event. She asked for Brian, and the bartender pointed to the door leading into his office.

Knocking once, she stepped inside. They hadn’t seen each other in months, having only run into each other on the street around Christmas time. Now, two months later, Daphne noticed Brian looked even hollower than the last time she had seen him.

Ever since the break-up, he had withdrawn into himself more than usual. Sometimes, she chided herself for distancing from him when he needed someone who understood him more than anyone else. But the events of the night they ended things kept her from being around any of Justin’s friends. She was afraid she would spill his secret.

It was a mystery to Daphne how Justin could keep that secret and every other that followed from his family, but he did it superbly. Until it had blown into his face about one year ago when his mother got so mad she stopped talking to him. Daphne wanted to tell him he deserved it, but then she reminded herself that his secret kept him happy. All she wanted was her best friend to be happy.

And right now, he wasn’t. But she had to focus on her meeting with Brian, before she would have to face Justin.

Brian pushed away from his desk, rolling back with his chair. “You’re the only one who can help.”

“Hello to you too.” She closed the door behind her, walking closer.

He rolled his eyes. “I’d stand, but I can’t.”

Daphne’s eyes zeroed to his left foot, and she gasped. There was a boot cast on his leg. “What the fuck did you do?”

“You’d laugh. I kicked the garage door, because it caught again.”

“You’re so smart, I’m surprised how you survived on your own for so many years.”

“Shut the fuck up. I need a place to crash, since I can't drive. You’re my only sane option. I could ask Debbie, but she’d coddle me. Mikey would be worse. I shudder to think of Emmett’s place. As for the ex-Crystal queens….I’d rather skip.” He fake-gagged. “Please?” He threw her a smile, giving her an innocent look.

She chewed on her lip, contemplating her answer.

Any other time, she would have said ‘yes’ without blinking. The problem was she had Justin coming to her later. He was coming back for good. After the recent events in his life, he needed to get away from New York, and his only hope was Daphne.

“So, yay or nay?” Brian raised an eyebrow, losing his patience. “It’s not really broken. The doc said I’d be good as new in a couple of weeks, or less.”

“Brian…”

“Of course, you’ll have to make a trip home and bring me some clothes—”

“I can’t,” she blurted out.

“Are you joking? Why? Is your hot boyfriend visiting?”

“We broke up. Remember? I told you this when we bumped into each other a couple of months ago.”

“Right. So what’s your excuse?”

She tried to find a plausible excuse, without actually telling him the truth. He would find out soon enough, anyway.

“You hate cats. Sometimes this stray visits me.”

Brian rolled his lips into his mouth, regarding her curiously. He could tell she was hiding something.

“And you don’t want cat hair on your expensive clothes.”

“Daphne,” he said gently, but warningly. “What’s the real reason I can’t stay with you?”

She threw herself on the sofa, pressing her palms to her face.

“Is it true what I heard through the grapevine? Is Justin coming back? Of course…he’s staying with you.”

“Where did you hear that?” Her head snapped up, and she stared at him with huge eyes.

“A little birdie told me,” he joked. “Seriously. News travel faster than you believe on Liberty Avenue.”

“Yes, it’s true,” she said in a small voice. “Justin and Nick are coming home.”

Brian’s eyebrows shot up. He should have expected Justin to patch up his life. He had always thrived a relationship. “Is this Nick hot?”

Daphne giggled despite herself. “He’s cute as a button.” She was afraid to spill all of Justin’s secrets, kept locked for over five years now.

“Some twink?”

She could detect a hint of jealousy, but bit on her lip to keep from telling Brian who Nick was.

“Don’t just drop something like that on me and close up! Tell me. I think I have the right to know.”

“Brian, look…You haven’t talked to him since then, have you?”

“Only indirectly.”

“Through me and the others?” She checked.

He nodded. “And the newspaper, or Internet articles talking about his shows.”

“I bet there were pictures…so you know.”

“I know, what?”

“You really don’t know, do you? Anything?”

“What’s going on? All I know is that he cut all contact with everyone, and even stopped talking to his mother.”

Daphne took a deep breath. “I shouldn’t tell you this, but as you said, you have a right to know.”

“Is he okay? Did something happen to him?” Brian eyed her anxiously.

“The night…you broke up…he came to me,” she started.

“I figured.”

“Half of the night, he sobbed into my shoulder for things ending the way they did.”

Brian closed his eyes, repelling all thoughts regarding that fateful night. “We made quite the scene in the middle of Liberty Avenue. I remember people gawking at me weeks after it happened.”

“Anyway, once he had no more tears left, he found my bottle of vodka. We got trashed. Since it was summer and warm outside, around three-four in the morning, we were strolling through the park.”

“You must have been pretty drunk.”

“Oh, we were. At least, I really was, because if I were sober, none of that would have happened. I was on the right direction to convince him to make-up with you. Then…”

“Then?” Brian urged her.

“Then we saw someone sleeping on a bench. Being that drunk and not thinking rationally, we approached the person. Justin mocked them for sleeping in the park when they could have found a warm spot on a cardboard on some street corner.”

“Christ. He doesn’t have a sense of self-preservation.”

“The bum turned out to be an old acquaintance of ours…mostly his.” She had no idea how to say it without causing Brian a nervous breakdown. “It was…Ethan.”

“You’re shitting me!”

“His flourishing career failed through, and he ended up on the streets only with a few clothes and his fiddle.”

“Tough luck,” Brian muttered.

“Justin—We took him to my place. To this day I have no idea how it happened, but the next morning, Justin left with him to New York.”

“Now, you’re shitting me!” Brian’s blood boiled at the thought of Justin running back to Ian a few hours after they broke up.

“It was a few days later, when I grasped what exactly had happened. Everything had happened so fast that night, Brian. One minute, Justin was sobbing his heart out that you were done for good, next we got drunk, remembering our childhood, then we were walking in the park picking on a homeless guy, who turned out to be Ethan.”

“Then he took him to his fancy New York life where he didn’t have the time to squeeze a few minutes every day for a phone call with me, but apparently, he had enough time for that piece of shit!”

“Look, I’m not happy about this, either. Let me finish talking. Now that you got me started, I can’t stop.”

Brian gestured for Daphne to continue her little story.

“As the months passed, I realized he was…happy. I mean, he sounded happy on our seldom phone calls. Happier than when you two were trying to make it work with the long distance thing.” She sighed, averting her eyes when she saw Brian cringing. She didn’t mean to cause him any pain. “Then, the weekend with his birthday that year, he called and said I had to visit them. He used the word must. So I did. From the airport, they drove me straight to…the City Hall.”

Daphne glanced at Brian, but his face was unreadable.

“Against my will, I was their witness. I had a whole speech prepared for him when I’d corner him somewhere in their apartment. Throughout the weekend, I dismissed my angry speech. They were happy. Really happy. I don’t want to hurt you by saying this, but Brian…I haven’t seen Justin so happy and free and…himself.”

Brian shrugged, closing his eyes to fight the sudden tears. He already regretted too much about their relationship. There were too many things he should have done differently.

“I came back to Pittsburgh, and life went on. Then about a year later, Justin called excitedly, telling me someone wanted to say ‘hi’ to me. As much as I’d grown to accept that Ethan made him happy, I still didn’t particularly like him. Instead of Ethan’s snotty voice, there was a loud cry I heard.”

“Huh?”

“They…Justin has…Ugh! They found a surrogate mother. Justin’s the father.”

“Nick?” Brian started putting the puzzle pieces together.

Daphne nodded. “The thing I failed to mention is that Justin never told anyone about getting back with Ethan, or marrying him, or having a kid with him. I’m the only one who knows….it’s been so hard. Especially when I was around you—that’s why I kept inventing excuses not catching up.”

“The reason he stopped talking to Jennifer has something to do with her finding out?”

“She visited last year…sorry, dropped by unannounced when she had a conference in New York.”

“Christ. Poor woman. I can only imagine the shock.”

“Yeah. Justin told me it wasn’t pretty. He answered the door with Nick in his arms and Ethan behind him holding Nick’s jacket. They were getting ready to leave for a zoo trip. It always takes at least half an hour to get a move on with the kid. Anyway, Jen screamed at Justin a lot. He refused to repeat to me what she said, but I can only imagine. They stopped talking.”

“Okay, so why is he coming back? Why stay with you? Can’t they find an apartment of their own?”

“Wait. There’s more,” Daphne murmured, swallowing thickly. “The horrible part is coming.”

“Don’t scare me.”

“We haven’t talked in a while. It was more like an obligation…or so I felt it, when we talked to each other. On our birthdays, on Christmas…stuff like that. And only for a few minutes, then it got awkward and he lied that Ethan or Nick needed him, and we hung up. Anyway, last time we talked was on his birthday. Unlike in the past five years, we talked for hours. He told me about everything and anything. He even asked me about you, which was a taboo subject until that moment. I have no idea what made him ask.”

“So he broke up with the fiddler.”

“No. Actually they were planning to go to Europe this summer, and ship Nick to me.” She shuddered. People would have been suspicious to see a child appearing in her life out of nowhere…especially one that was the splinting image of Justin. “So that was the last time we talked. Then he called me yesterday. Late night phone calls mean trouble—no matter if they come from your best friend. I could barely understand what he was saying through his crying.”

“I sense good news.”

“Don’t be an asshole!” She narrowed her eyes. “I didn’t like Ethan, but…Justin is crushed. Of what I gathered, they went to some party at the opera on New Year’s night. The wrong people saw them kissing. And…you really want me to continue or can you take a wild guess?”

“Do I want you to continue? I have creepy scenarios running through my head.”

“Justin told me it happened last Tuesday. Ethan should have been home by seven, and he started getting worried when nine stroke and he wasn’t there yet, then he was in full-blown panic attack by two in the morning. That’s when he got the call from the police. Someone, most likely some homophobe, had waited for Ethan to leave the opera…and they ran him over.”

Brian’s mouth dropped. “What?”

“You heard me. He’s dead.”

Brian pinched the bridge of his nose. “So it’s like he didn’t exist. Why the fuck did you tell me all these?”

“Because Justin is coming back—with his child, and I have no fucking clue how to patch him up! And at the same time he’s coming back, you want to hog my couch. Excuse me for freaking out.”

“After everything you said, up until the last part, I was all for saying ‘fuck him’, but I’d say ‘fuck you’ for giving me hope. I think I’ll sleep here. That lumpy couch you’re sitting on will be my bed for the next two weeks.”

“You can always ask Michael, like you said.”

“I’d rather pull my nails out.”

“I’ll take you with me, but you must promise to play nice. And if Justin freaks at seeing you, you have to let me deal with it.”

“Are you sure?”

“No.”

“Great. Let’s go, then.”

Daphne led the way out of the club with Brian hopping after her. They stopped at his Jeep. Brian had managed to drive that morning, but as soon as he had stepped into Kinnetik, he understood icing his ankle wouldn’t do it when he noticed how swollen it had gotten during the ride. Ted had taken him to the hospital and he ended up in a cast because he refused to repair the garage door. The dent in it was the only solid remnant of Justin's presence in their house.

“Drive carefully,” he warned, climbing in the backseat. Once Daphne was behind the wheel, Brian groaned loudly. “I can’t believe you lost two hours of my life to tell me all that when you could have summed it up to Justin found solace after our break-up in the fiddler’s arms, but now Ian is dead. Oh, and by the way, they were married and have a child together. He’s bringing the kid back home.”

“Must you be so crass? He’s suffering! Brian, I only heard Justin so shaken only once—when you were sick. You might not know, but he was so scared, even though he didn’t show it.”

“Can we not talk about this? Find another radio station, will you?”

Daphne had been around Brian long enough to know he was brushing off everything regarding this situation because he was scared, jealous, sad, and possibly a tiny bit happy.

At Daphne’s place, they took the elevator. She installed him on the couch, promising to return quickly and help him settle in the guest bedroom, but she had to piss first.

While she was gone, her phone started ringing.

“Answer that,” she hollered from the bathroom.

Brian inspected the Caller ID. “It’s Justin!”

“Fucking answer him! He must have landed.”

Clearing his throat, and mentally preparing for this conversation, Brian accepted the call.

“Daph! Finally! We’ll be there in about an hour…depending on traffic.”

Brian froze at the sound of Justin’s voice. He hadn’t heard him in too many years.

“Daphne? I can hear you breathing.”

“Justin,” Brian said quietly. “Daphne’s not in the room right now.”

There was a gasp and a muted thud on the other end of the line. “Brian?”

“The one and only. I’ll let her know you’re on the way.”

“Uh…sure. Thanks. Don’t wipe your hands on my pants. Sorry, I have to go. Uh, bye, Brian. Ugh. Seriously, Nick.”

The dial tone beeped in his ear, making Brian realize Justin had hung up.

“I’m back.” Daphne returned, cheerful. “I feel ten pounds lighter. What did he want?”

“It was a mistake. I’ll call Mikey, and go over to him.”

“Should I help you pull your nails out?” she teased. “You’re here. You’re not going anywhere like some coward. What did Justin say?”

“They’re on the way.”

“Good. Put your foot on the coffee table to keep it elevated. What did your doc say?”

“It’s sprained.”

“Okay. I’ll bring you some Tylenol and water. Anything to eat?”

“Christ.” Brian scrubbed at his face. “I didn’t go to Debbie’s for this very reason.”

“Fine. Suit yourself. If you fall on the way to the kitchen, and break your other foot, don’t blame me.”

“You can bring me water and Tylenol.”

“And food. You can’t take meds on an empty stomach.”

“Now you sound scarily like Justin.”

“I’m a doctor,” she reminded him, before heading to the kitchen. “Do you like broccoli?”

“Anything you have,” Brian called, leaning against the back of the couch. He didn’t care much for food. All he could think of was his imminent reunion with Justin, and meeting his son.

Daphne fried a few vegetables along with rice, and when the doorbell rang loudly she was watching her stir-up.

“Don’t kill me, but would you mind answering? I can’t leave the stove. Dinner might get burned.”

Scowling, and thinking she was conspiring against him, Brian hopped to the front door. He took a deep breath, before pulling the door open.

Justin was standing in front of him. He didn’t look much different, except the vacant look on his face. His black clothes made him look too thin.

He had a satchel over his shoulder, two large suitcases behind him, and a small boy clinging to his leg, peeking curiously at Brian.

“I can’t believe she told you I’m coming back. And you rushed to greet me. How sweet of you,” Justin sneered.

“In my defense, I thought I’d be the only roommate she’d have.” Brian pointed to his foot in the cast.

“Did you make boo-boo? I once had boo-boo at my arm,” the little boy explained, still clinging to his father’s leg.

“Uh, yeah. I made boo-boo.” Brian answered, awkwardly. He hopped away from the door to allow them to step inside.

“Go inside, Nick. And don’t touch anything.” Nick listened to Justin, taking a few steps into Daphne’s apartment. Justin pushed the heavy suitcases inside, before closing the door. “Where’s Daphne?”

“Here,” she called from the kitchen. “I’m making dinner. Come give me a kiss.”

Justin picked Nick. “I’ll be right there,” he answered, walking to the bathroom, muttering to his son about his dirty hands.

 

 

 

Chapter 2 by addict_writer

 

 

Dinner was a quiet affair.

Daphne tried bombarding Justin with questions, but got only one-worded answers in return.

Brian pretended to be deep in thought, but was extra aware of Justin’s every move. When Justin crossed his legs under the table, his socked foot touched Brian’s calf.

“Sorry,” Justin mouthed, blushing.

It was the first real reaction Brian had seen at Justin ever since he had arrived, less than an hour ago.

Once they were done eating, Daphne brought a tablet of chocolate.

“No. It’s late. He won’t sleep if he eats chocolate.” Justin pushed the offered dessert away, despite the pout on his son’s face. “Maybe a glass of warm milk?”

“Sure. I have milk.” Daphne went to the fridge, and pulled out the carton box.

“How are we sleeping?” he asked, looking around the table.

“I’ll take the couch,” Brian offered.

Justin stared at him for a long minute, before answering, “Okay.” He turned his attention to his best friend. “Could you bring the milk to the guestroom? I’m going to change Nick in his pjs.”

Brian stared surprised after Justin’s retreating form. He had expected to be asked if he was sure about the sleeping arrangements, showing his concern about Brian’s injury.

“It’s nothing new. This is the new Justin. Get used to him.”

“This is insane. I can’t even recognize him.” Brian frowned, trying to understand what had happened to Justin.

Daphne shrugged. “Here’s Tylenol. I’ll bring them the milk, then turn in. I have to leave early.”

“Tomorrow’s Saturday, isn’t it?” Brian asked, confused.

“So? People get sick at the end of the week, too. Night, Brian.”

After taking his pill, Brian hopped to the couch. He turned on the TV, found an old movie, and settled better, burrowing under the blanket.

He had managed to dozen off, because the movie credits were rolling when he opened his eyes next time. But what woke him was a noise from the kitchen.

Curious, Brian went to inspect what was going on. He could distinguish Justin in the dark room, sitting at the table, crying. Tears were rolling down his cheeks, knotting at his chin. His fingers were twirling around a ring.

Justin startled when he saw a figure in the doorway. Hastily slipping the ring back on his finger and wiping his eyes, he turned to face Brian.

They stared at each other for minutes on end, before Brian broke the spell, grabbing a glass of water.

“What happened to your foot?”

“The garage door won the fight,” Brian joked.

“You still haven’t repaired it from when I backed into it?” Justin asked, incredulously.

“I still haven’t.”

“You’re too lazy. Besides, hitting inanimate objects will get you nowhere. You have to repair that door, instead of getting mad every time it catches.”

“I can’t say I missed your PSA moments.”

“I’m stating the obvious.” Justin shrugged, keeping his eyes on Brian’s foot. “Is it broken?”

“Only sprained.” Brian took a few gulps of water. “I’m sorry.”

“I don’t care. It’s your garage door. If you don’t want to repair it, whatever.”

“That’s not what I meant.” Brian sat across from him. “I’m sorry for…” He waved to the ring on Justin’s finger.

“Oh, yeah.” Tears spilled from his eyes again. “I couldn’t do this on my own. I couldn’t live there…too many memories in our condo. I have no idea what to tell Nick when he asks for Papa.” A sob caught in his throat. “Have you ever felt like you were drowning and there was no hope to ever resurface?”

Brian nodded, not trusting his voice. He was in awe at how changed Justin was. He could barely recognize him. Try as he might, nothing of the old Justin was still present.

“That’s how I feel.” Justin sniffed, snatching a napkin from the end of the table. “How did you pull out of this darkness?”

“You came back.”

Justin frowned. “You do realize I’m not here for you?”

“I meant back then. When you first ran off to your fiddler. Funny, you’re feeling now how I felt then. He broke us up once, and then you ran off to him when we were done.”

Justin pressed the napkin to his face, trying not to burst into a fresh round of tears. “I don’t know if you understand or believe me, but I really loved Ethan. It’s not uncommon to love two people.”

“Of course you did. So convenient for him to be in the right place when you left me; some would call that shit fate. And you fell for his bullshit again.”

Justin slammed his fist to the table, narrowing his eyes. “Don’t say a word against Ethan! Okay, the first time was a mistake. We got that covered. But now…it was the whole deal.”

“I wanted to branch out Kinnetik,” Brian said loudly, growing angry.

“You told me that when we were breaking up.” Justin shrugged, indifferently.

“If you would have waited a few months…”

“Stop, Brian! Stop. I don’t want to rehash that old argument. We’re done. It’s over.”

“But you still love me. You still thought of me all those years.” Brian knew him too well. He was ready to crack that tough façade Justin was keeping.

“You were a huge part of my life. I couldn’t forget you.”

“You still love me,” Brian insisted.

“Cut it out!”

“Deny it!” He smirked, when he saw Justin squirming in his chair.

“Daddy, I can’t sleep,” a small voice said from the doorway. “Why can’t Papa play for me?”

“Fuck,” Justin cursed under his breath. He wasn’t ready for that conversation—again. “Nick, we talked about this. Papa can’t play for you anymore.”

“Why did he leave? Did I do something wrong?”

At a loss, Justin caught Brian’s eye, unsure if he was asking for help or merely watching his reaction. If Brian disliked Ethan, it didn’t matter; other people loved him unconditionally, and now they were suffering.

Brian pulled his phone out, thumbing through it. “What kind of classical music does he like?” He glanced at Justin over the rim of his phone.

“Uh…anything, really.” Justin was surprised Brian offered to help.

He found a playlist of violin music on YouTube. “This okay?”

“Yeah, thank you.” Unlike his son, it was difficult for Justin to hear violin music. It made the hole in his chest grow deeper. “We need to go back to sleep, though.” He picked his son, facing Brian.

“Take it.” Brian placed his phone in Justin’s hand. “It’s charged. It should do the trick until he’s asleep.”

Moved by the gesture, Justin gave Brian his first genuine smile. Small, but still real.

“How do you say?” He bounced Nick in his arms.

“Thank you,” Nick whispered, hiding his face in his father’s neck.

“You’re welcome. Well, I’ll let you sleep…”

“Yeah.”

“Night.”

“Night, Brian.” As they walked down the hall to the guest room, Justin glanced back to see Brian slouching on the couch, throwing most likely more pills in his mouth.

###

In the morning, Brian woke up to the smell of coffee.

It took him a few moments to remember where he was. When he first saw the unfamiliar surroundings, he thought he had gone home with some trick.

But as he woke up more and more, everything came crashing on him like a bucket of ice cold water—the garage door, his injured foot, his call to Daphne, Justin.

Justin and his secrets.

Such a different Justin than what he was used to.

As Brian turned his head in the kitchen’s direction, he gasped. Right in front of him was Nick—Justin’s son.

The child’s blue eyes widened, before he dashed to the kitchen, announcing loudly. “He’s awake, Daddy!”

His comment was followed by a loud groan. “I told you not to wake him, just check if he was awake or not.”

“I was already up,” Brian called out. “Is there coffee?”

To his surprise, Justin brought two cups of coffee to the couch, handing one to Brian, before sitting at his feet. “Sorry if he woke you up.”

“He didn’t.” Brian took a sip from the coffee, catching Justin’s eye. It was just the way he drank it, with extra sugar. “Did Daphne leave?”

“Yeah. She wasn’t around when we woke up. It’s ten.”

“I must have knocked down too many pills. I haven’t slept for so long in….fuck if I remember.” Brian curled his good foot under him, holding the cup in both hands. His eyes inspected the person who looked like his Sunshine, but was so different and cold.

Nick climbed on the couch, snuggling into Justin’s side. He eyed Brian curiously, but didn’t say anything.

“How old is he?”

“Six, in a few months.” Justin rubbed a hand over his son’s arm. “Do you plan on sitting here all day?”

“It’s not like I can do much.”

“Do you want me to start barking orders again? Seriously, Brian. You have a sprained ankle, not…” He clamped his mouth shut, swallowing hard. “You even made it through that,” he hissed after a few moments.

“Why do you ask?” Brian wasn’t ready to start an argument.

“I have stuff to do. I need to find a place to live, a gallery to bring my paintings in, and I guess I should see the family. Or they’ll have my balls if I hide in here for too long.”

“Why not stay with Daphne?”

“I want to make it on my own.”

“Well, you can talk to your mom about house-hunting,” Brian suggested. At Justin’s incredulous look, he went on. “Or, you could live with me. That house is half yours.”

“What? Oh, yeah. No, thanks.”

“Which reminds me…” Brian narrowed his eyes. “How could you do such a stupid thing? Do you realize what you’ve done?”

“Excuse me,” he hissed, then turned to his son. “Why don’t you go to the guest room and play with your toys, baby? Daddy needs to talk to Brian.”

Nick chewed on his lip, before reluctantly going.

Justin placed his coffee on the table, glaring at Brian. “What have I done pray tell? I had no idea I should have asked for your blessing to start dating again.”

“All I’m saying is that I don’t give a fuck if you went back to the fucking fiddler. The problem is that you fucking married him. Legally, no less.”

“So? The invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.”

“Can you use your blond brain?” Brian shouted.

“No! My lone neuron is slamming against the walls. Enlighten me! What did I do wrong in marrying Ethan to irk you so badly?”

“You own half of everything I do. Have you forgotten that part? Kinnetik, Babylon…Britin. Everything. If something happened to you, that piece of shit could have ruined me. And he would have done it.”

“For the last fucking time, stop bad-mouthing Ethan. As for the other part…I really didn’t think of it,” Justin mumbled.

“Exactly. That’s your problem—you don’t think! You just act. You have always been hot headed.”

“Look who’s talking! Can we stop this? I’m not mentally prepared to have one of our famous arguments.”

“Yeah, hot make-up sex is off-limits,” Brian sneered. “Just go do whatever the fuck you want. I’ll be here.”

Justin fisted his hands at his sides. “I wanted to ask you to take care of Nick, but since you’re an asshole, I’ll drag him after me.”

“I don’t wanna go anywhere,” Nick whined from the doorway, where he had listened to everything the adults had talked.

“Nick,” Justin whirled around. “How long have you been there? Nevermind. You have time to decide what you want to do while I talk to Mitchell about my paintings.”

“Why don’t you come here?” Brian patted the spot next to him on the couch, smiling encouragingly at the boy. “We’ll make friends, you go do your stuff,” he added to Justin.

“Good luck with that. He’s really shy.”

Nick sat at the far end of the couch, dangling his feet off the edge.

“I’m Brian,” Brian said.

“I know,” Nick whispered.

“I’m your daddy’s…friend.”

“I know.”

“You do?” Brian was surprised by that piece of information.

Nick bobbed his head. “Daddy talked about a Brian.”

“He did?”

“Pappy was upset every time Daddy talked about you.”

Brian hid his smile in his cup of coffee. “And what did your daddy say about me?”

Nick shrugged, keeping his eyes on his feet. “Why did you fight with Daddy? Can’t you see he’s already upset?”

“That’s between your dad and me. We haven’t seen each other in too long. I guess, we grew apart and see things differently,” Brian explained.

Justin stormed into the room, looking murderous. “Okay. I’ll bring my things home. I mean…to Britin…your house. That idiot can’t keep them because I left the state. Is he fucking serious? It sounds like I’m a delinquent!”

“Good. When do you bring them?”

“He’ll ship them off later tomorrow. Apparently, I can keep them there until the end of the month…a few more days, anyway.” Running both hands through his hair, Justin slumped on the couch, jostling Brian’s leg. “Sorry.” He quickly touched his leg, before snatching his hand back.

“What about your clothes? And other stuff?” Brian inquired, ignoring Justin’s gesture.

“Most of our clothes are in the bags I brought over. Mitchell will send everything else, then I’m firing him. I’ve put up with him for too long.”

“I like Mitchell.” Nick threw his dad a smile.

“Of course, you do. He brings you candy every time he visits.” Justin shook his head. “Uh, I just saw…out the window…is that your car out there?”

“Yeah. Why? Something happen?” Brian pushed away panic. It would be full cycle—first time he met Justin, his car got trashed, now when he met this new Justin, something happened to his car again.

“No.” Justin fought a smile, thinking the same thing as Brian. “I was wondering…if you want…”

“Shotgun,” Brian blurted out.

“Was there any doubt? It’s your car. But are you sure?”

“Why not?”

“We’ll go somewhere together…I’m back, and the first person they see me around is you. Fuck. Do they even want to see me again? I’ve been such an asshole, but I guess I was too afraid of being judged by everyone based on my decision to get back with Ethan and…New York was my safe haven.”

“Don’t be a twat! Give me a few minutes. Shit. I don’t have a change of clothes. Daphne said she’d run home, but she didn’t…”

“I can drive you home first, then…we can see everyone at the diner for lunch?”

 

“Sounds like a plan.”

End Notes:

Leave me your thoughts. I'm curious what you think of this new Justin.

Chapter 3 by addict_writer

 

 

Justin pulled up in front of the diner a little after one in the afternoon. He had driven Brian home to change his clothes, then they returned to the city.

His shaky hands gripped the steering wheel tightly. He could see their friends through the establishment’s window.

“Stop stalling.” Brian opened the door, sliding out. “Do something productive and come give me a hand.”

Taking a deep breath, Justin got out of the car. He helped his son out, before joining Brian at the front of the Jeep, offering his arm.

“You really need crutches.”

“You really need your head checked.”

Justin rolled his eyes. He opened the diner’s door, guiding Nick in first.

The place fell silent when they stepped inside. Most likely, every queer present remembered the show Brian and Justin had put the last time they were seen together.

“My eyes are playing tricks,” Debbie squealed, rushing over with her arms outstretched. “Sunshine!”

Her exuberance made Nick cower behind his father’s legs, whimpering.

“Hey, Deb.” Justin hugged her tightly, only to pull away when she slapped him behind the head.

“That’s for not talking to any of us for years!”

“Yeah. I deserve it.” He looked down, dejected.

“I can’t say I’m not surprised to see you two together.” She looked between Justin and Brian, eyes full of questions. Then she noticed his foot. “What happened to you?”

“Long story,” Brian muttered, hopping on one foot to the booth hosting their friends. He pushed Michael into the wall, sliding beside him.

Justin picked Nick up, kissing his cheek. “It’s okay. These are my friends.” He stroked a hand down his back, looking at everyone. “I want you to meet Nicolas, my son.”

“Did you turn straight while in New York? We won’t judge you or anything, baby.” Emmett stood, enveloping both Justin and Nick in a big hug. “It’s so good to see you!”

“Uh, no.” At the surprised looks he received, Justin chuckled a little. “I mean, I’m not straight. I decided I wanted a baby.” He shrugged.

“On your own? It must have been hard,” Michael commented. He eyed Justin critically. There was something off with Boy Wonder, and he had a feeling they would find out what soon.

“No. Can we sit down? I have so much to tell you…”

“Deb, you better have your heart pills close by,” Brian warned, sneering at Justin who glared at him.

Justin pulled a chair at the end of the booth, sitting down with Nick on his lap.

Debbie brought coffees, taking a seat next to Justin. “We’re all ears, honey,” she urged him to start talking.

“I have no idea where to start…”

“How about the events that followed in the night we broke up? How you found your way back to—”

“I’m telling the story,” Justin snapped, glaring at Brian.

“Then you better not skip any detail.”

“Don’t mind him. Tell us what you want,” Emmett said gently.

Justin started with what Brian suggested—the night they broke up, explaining how he had ended up at Daphne’s. They got drunk, went to the park, and found a homeless Ethan on a bench. That piece of information got a common gasp from his peers. Then he continued his story with how he had returned to New York with Ethan. His intention at first was to help him get back to his feet, but it got to be more in only a few days. After some months cramped in Justin’s small studio, they bought a condo. When they found out same-sex marriages were legal in New York State, they invited Daphne over as their witness.

Brian interrupted. “Unwilling witness, mind you.”

Justin rolled his eyes, not minding him as he continued talking. He told them about the moment they decided to have a child, after meeting Lucy—a surrogate mother, at one of Justin’s after show party.

That way appeared Niccolò, named after the great violinist and composer Niccolò Paganini, but usually referred as Nicolas or Nick. Everyone “aww-ed” upon hearing that, except Brian, who looked ill.

Justin skimmed over his fructuous life in New York City, his fight with his mother, and got to the sad end of his fairytale and the reason he was back.

Debbie, being closer to him, pulled him in a hug, allowing him to cry in her shoulder.

“I sprained my ankle, if anyone is interested. Daphne offered me her spare bed, but then it got occupied by them.” Brian pointed to Justin and Nick.

“Why didn’t you come over?” Michael was hurt at not being Brian’s first option when he needed a place to stay.

“I gave it some serious thought about where I’d be less irritated. The only one who won was Daphne. Between you and Debbie, I’d rather shack up with Honeycutt, but then I’m not that desperate.”

Emmett pouted. “We could have done our manicures.”

“Exactly. I’d rather have my nails pulled out.”

Justin sniffed, wiping his eyes. “You’re going home anyway. I hope you’re going to pay me.”

Brian smirked. “Yeah, you’ll be my bitch for the next couple of weeks.”

“So you two…” Emmett gestured between them.

“No!”

“Fuck no.”

“Well, that settles it.” Debbie laughed. “We found something they agree on. Why are you going with him, then?”

“Like Brian reminded me earlier, Britin is mine too. I need a place to deposit my paintings, and somewhere to sleep. I don’t want to bother Daph. We’ll be in the guest bedroom…like housemates.”

“That hate each other’s guts,” Michael mumbled.

“It’s only temporarily. Until I find a place for Nick and me,” Justin explained.

“I’ll let him believe that,” Brian mumbled, leaning into Michael’s side.

“Don’t tell me you want—” Brian clamped a hand over Michael’s mouth.

“Shhh!” He narrowed his eyes at his best friend.

“After everything he’s done? You’re out of your mind.”

Brian glanced at Justin, who was busy looking over the menu with his son. He shrugged to Michael, but he was determined to get Justin back. He still loved him, and he knew Justin felt the same even though the arguments toward the end of their relationship might cloud his judgment.

Once everyone placed their order, Justin slid on the booth next to Emmett, and Debbie went back to her job.

“So where are Ted and Ben?” Justin asked, shifting his eyes between Michael and Emmett.

“Ben’s busy grading exams,” Michael explained. “And when he’s not doing that, he’s researching for a new book.”

“For two years now,” Emmett supplied, laughing.

“It takes time to come up with great ideas,” Michael defended his husband.

“And Theodore’s got whatever stomach bug Blake had. I swear, he does these things on purpose. When we’re busier than usual, he gets sick.” Brian groaned loudly.

“Yes, Brian. I’m sure Teddy just loves being glued to the toilet. At least, Blake is taking care of him.” Emmett smiled. “But enough chit-chat about us. Tell us about you!” He took Justin’s hands.

“Didn’t I just spend an hour to tell you all about my life?”

“We caught the gist of events. We want deets from the famous artist’s life.”

“Famous, my ass.”

“True words. Your ass is famous.” Brian snickered. Justin kicked him under the table, getting a howl of pain from Brian.

“Holy shit. I’m sorry!” Justin bit his lip, regretting his jerk movement.

“Fuck you too, Sunshine.”

“Really, I didn’t mean it.”

Emmett decided to distract them before an argument blew in their faces. “What do you mean you’re not famous? We read about your shows in the newspaper. You have an admirer in Rose Warren. She always writes lengthy reviews on your shows.”

“I know. She never misses a show. Daphne sent me one of her articles, and next time she attended one of my shows, I cornered this Rose. She has been writing about me for a couple of years then.”

“I guess she’s excited one of us—from the Pitts, I mean—made it out there,” Michael said.

“Yeah, definitely. Though, she makes me sound bigger than I am.” Justin narrowed his eyes at Brian when he opened his mouth. “Anyway, I’m known in certain circles, but nothing really…big.”

“We thought you lived big with your paintings…” Emmett wrapped an arm around Justin.

“I did. I do. I have some paintings at a gallery, but I’m bringing everything home.”

“Wait. You’re not going back?” Emmett’s eyes widened. “Why in the world are you coming back to Pittsburgh? Are you crazy?”

“There’s no reason to go back—only memories that hurt more than I want you to ever know. It’s time I come back, and tie some loose ends.”

“Like making up with Mother Taylor,” Brian suggested with a raised brow.

“Among others.”

After eating, Emmett declared that now Justin was back, they should throw him a party. Justin was about to reject the idea, when Nick squealed, nodding eagerly. He hadn’t warmed up to his friends, but Emmett’s idea for a party sounded like lots of fun.

“You can’t say no, now.” Emmett winked.

“But some other time. I’ll be crazy busy this following week. Which remind me; I have to call Mitchell about when exactly my stuff is being delivered.”

“And before that, we have go. Lots to do.” Brian seized Justin’s elbow, tugging him to the door.

Justin freed his arm, nearly throwing Brian off his already precarious balance, before wrapping his arms around Emmett, then Michael, and the last was Debbie.

“Now that you’re back, don’t be a stranger, Sunshine. We missed you.” She patted his cheek.

“I promise, Deb. Like I said, it will be a crazy few days, but once I settle back here in Pittsburgh, you’ll get sick of me.”

“Not possible,” Emmett declared loudly. “And bring your precious little one along.” He smiled at Nick, who was behind Justin’s legs, clutching to his jeans.

“Will do. How do you say?” He raised an eyebrow at his son, lifting him in his arms.

“Bye.” Nick waved to them, quickly burrowing his face in Justin’s neck.

“As for you, take care of yourself.” Debbie shook her finger at Brian. “I’m sure Justin’s kid is more mature than you.”

“I told him kicking inanimate objects would get him nowhere.” Justin smiled, ducking from Brian’s flying arm to his head. “Bye, guys. Come on.” He grabbed Brian’s bicep, steering him out the door.

The moment they were gone, the whole diner exploded in loud rumor.

“I give them one week before they give in,” Emmett said.

Michael gave him an incredulous look. “They’re lucky there’s that kid involved too now, or we wouldn’t have seen them. We’d have heard Justin was back…and kept wondering where the hell he was.”

Debbie shook her head, slapping the back of her son’s head. “Mark my words—Brian will have to grovel. Justin won’t fall for Brian’s sly smile and sweet words.”

“Ma, it was Justin’s fault they broke up, remember?”

“It was both their fault. I always sided with Sunshine, and I won’t stop now. Brian was always guilty.”

Before Michael could side with his best friend, Emmett nodded in agreement. “We all thought he’d stop tricking when they got engaged. Jesus, I still can’t believe that actually happened.”

“But then Justin left!”

“He was pushed to go to New York. Even Brian told him to go, to have that experience. Look where it brought them.” Debbie sighed, sadly.

“Still, I give them a week before they get back together,” Emmett announced loudly. “Anyone with me?” He looked around, and got nods of approval from most of the queers in the diner.

Debbie huffed. “I say…a month.”

“Ma! Do you realize I’m in the middle? I can envision Brian telling me about his plots…and how they failed. He’ll drive me crazy,” Michael whined. “I say the sooner they get back together, the better. It’s clear there’s a hell lot of tension between them.”

“Justin suffered a great loss, and he has that precious child. He’ll be cautious in accepting any of Brian’s proposals. When it happens, there will be terms settled, mark my words. It’s time Brian grew up.”

“We’ll see who wins.” Emmett smiled, secretly planning many sleepovers for Justin’s kid to leave the adults alone. If Justin was going to live with Brian, there would be no avoiding the inevitable.

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

What are your bets? =)

Chapter 4 by addict_writer

 

 

Later that evening, while Justin was making dinner at Daphne’s place, he got the much awaited call from Mitchell. He let Justin know the moving truck would arrive at the given address at some point the next morning.

Brian went to the kitchen when he heard Justin had stopped talking on the phone. “Any news?”

“Yeah. I have to be at your house tomorrow morning when the moving truck arrives.”

“You mean home.”

“Brian, please don’t complicate this more than it is.”

Nick joined them to inspect if dinner was ready.

“Soon. Here, chew on this carrot stick.” Justin offered his son the peeled vegetable. “Now, go back to watching cartoons.”

“Would you come with me?” Nick asked Brian, shyly.

Justin was surprised his son had befriended Brian so fast. He had barely talked to anyone at the diner, but when it was only Brian around, he didn’t seem to have a problem.

“Go with him. Dinner won’t be ready for at least half an hour. Could you call Daph to see if she’s coming?”

“Sure. Though, shouldn’t we go home? I mean, if the truck arrives in the morning…we should be there.”

“Talk to Daph, then we decide.”

Daphne turned out to be busy at the hospital, but threatened them if they planned on leaving without saying goodbye.

Brian didn’t promise her anything, so later that night when he helped Justin with his suitcases, he didn’t feel too bad. Nick was almost asleep when they got in the car, around nine.

“Thank you,” Justin said after a few minutes of driving in silence.

“I don’t mind holding him.”

“I mean, allowing us to stay with you. I promise we’ll be out of your hair soon. I know you need your space.”

“Not as much space as Britin provides. I get bored a lot.”

Justin caught Brian’s eye in the rearview mirror, surprised by his admission. He was met with the most honest look he had seen at Brian. “You mean the tricks don’t keep you entertained anymore?”

“I never brought a trick to Britin.”

“Stop this, Brian. I know what you’re trying to do.”

“Actually, I’m merely answering your questions. Did I ever lie to you?”

Justin fell silent, narrowing his eyes at the road ahead. He tried not to think of the last few months of his relationship with Brian. They always had a toxic relationship, but it had escalated all limits by the time it blew up.

oOo

Justin decided to visit Brian, missing him too much. He had a window of a week in his schedule. What better way to spend it than in his lover’s arms?

When he stepped into Babylon, he knew something was going to happen. Justin wasn’t a huge fan of the Leather Ball, but he knew Brian loved it. He had especially dressed in tight leather pants and a see-through white tee.

By now everyone knew he and Brian were together, and not to step in between them. At least, not when Justin was in town.

Since Justin hadn’t called ahead to tell Brian he would be there, he expected to find his boyfriend in the backroom, getting his dick sucked. But not sandwiched between two leather daddies, stoned, and moaning in pleasure.

In that moment, all of Justin’s insecurities exploded.

Has Brian done this before? If so, how often?

Why didn’t he ever tell Justin about this?

Justin had been sure topping Brian was his exclusive right. Exactly like he had given up bottoming for anyone but Brian. Apparently, Brian didn’t appreciate it.

“What the fuck are you doing?” Justin shoved the two intruders away.

In his lust haze, Brian noticed Justin, and smiled brightly, stumbling to him. “Sunshine!” He wrapped his arms around him. “What a surprise!”

Justin scowled in disgust, disentangling from Brian. He stomped out the backroom with tears burning in his eyes.

“Hey, wait up! You just got here.” Brian caught up with him as soon as he had his pants up and half buttoned.

“Fuck you, Brian! How could you do that? I don’t care what you took, but you aren’t allowed to do that!”

“What the fuck? Since when do you dictate what I do and don’t?”

“I thought bottoming for each other was our thing. Silly, little me,” Justin sneered, turning around, ready to storm out when Brian caught his elbow.

The music chased. Everybody stopped dancing. All eyes and ears were on their little show.

“Don’t turn your back on me, Justin!”

“Or what?”

“I put up enough with your little artiste life in New York. Do you think it’s easy to know you’re there…doing fuck knows what? Then you come back to earth from your little show and waltz in here having the audacity to comment on my lifestyle?” Brian shouted, incredulously. “This is who I am. You know that!”

“You don’t let people fuck you! That part of you is mine!” Tears slid down Justin’s cheeks. “It was the only part of you I thought I didn’t have to share with half of Pittsburgh!”

“Don’t be a twat!” Brian pulled Justin out of the club. Their peers had heard enough. “The only part of me that is all yours is my heart, Justin.”

“Oh, really? Isn’t there a spot, a rather large one, for Michael?”

Brian knuckled his forehead. “Why are we bringing Mikey into discussion?”

“That’s why. You love him. He let go of you. Maybe you should too.”

“What the fuck? Justin, you know it doesn’t compare to how I feel for you. As for what you saw…it wasn’t like that.”

“I hate that expression. I know what I saw.” Justin stood in the middle of the street, glaring at Brian. “We can’t do this. You don’t trust me when I’m New York. Well, I don’t trust you anymore.”

“I never said that.”

“Brian, choose. Me, or them.” Justin made an ample hand gesture around them to the gathered crowd of queers.

“I plan on branching out Kinnetik.”

“Okay,” Justin said through the knot in his throat. “I get it. They’re better than me.”

“I plan on coming to New York,” Brian snapped.

“That would be…different city, same shit. Look, I get it. You love the thrill of fucking a different guy every night. Knock yourself out.”

“What do you mean?” Fear gripped Brian. Justin’s words scared him.

“I mean, this is it.”

“You don’t mean it. Let’s go home and talk about it.”

“There’s nothing to talk about. We’re done. You don’t understand the concept of a normal relationship. Okay. I accept that.”

“But?” Brian sucked on his lips.

“But I won’t let you drag me into this abyss. I want a real relationship, Brian. For a while, I thought we could do it. I’m sorry.”

“That’s all you have to say? You throw away everything because you think you saw another guy fucking me? You don’t trust me? Well, I don’t trust you, either.” Brian towered over Justin, yelling into his face. “I never gave you a reason not to trust me. You did—but I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt.”

“You’re such a hypocrite! I made one mistake!”

“Try a thousand! You left more times than I can count…and I always waited for you, even came after you once or twice. So don’t point at me. You’re a million times guiltier than I am for this relationship going to shit.”

“Are you done?” Justin held his tears, too angry to let them fall.

“Not in the least, but it seems you are. So, go back to your fancy life in New York.”

For the first time since they started the argument, Justin looked around them. He saw the shocked expressions on their friends’ and their peers’ faces. He returned his eyes to Brian, who was still glaring at him.

“Get the fuck out of my sight. You ungrateful little shit.”

Justin started regretting the whole fight. “Brian…”

“We’re done.” Brian spun on his heels, heading back inside the club.

Ashamed and crushed, Justin ran away from Emmett’s outstretched hand. He ran and ran and ran, until he reached Daphne’s place.

oOo

Justin parked in front of the house. “Can you get in unassisted? I’ll take Nick to the guestroom and be right back.”

“Of course. I’ll turn the heat up.”

“Thanks.”

Brian unlocked the front door, flipping on lights. While Justin took his son to bed, he scrounged the drawers in the kitchen for painkillers. Not recommended, Brian paired the pills with scotch.

“At this rate, I’m surprised you’re still alive,” Justin said, entering the kitchen. He snatched the bottle from Brian’s hand, taking a few gulps himself. “Are you sure about me staying here?”

Brian pointed to his foot.

“After that. You’ll get better in a few days. I had my ankle sprained too, a few years ago.”

“You did?” He retrieved his bottle, taking a swig. “You need your hands to paint, not feet.”

“Yeah, but back then Nick was three, I think. He loved leaving his toys all over the place. I stepped on a toy car and slid on it. I stopped when I hit the wall, but fuck, my foot hurt like shit.”

“I once stepped on one of Gus’s Legos. My toes hated me for days.”

“How’s Gus?” Justin leaned against the counter, keeping his eyes on Brian who was slumped in a chair.

“He’s fine, thanks for asking.”

“How old is he now? Eleven, twelve?” He reached for the bottle.

“Fifteen. Urgh. The munchers cornered me the last time I visited, demanding I should think seriously of giving him The Talk. He’s a kid, for fuck’s sake!”

Justin choked on his gulp of alcohol. “Not that much older than you were on your first time.”

Brian snatched his bottle back. “Why is everyone rubbing that shit in my face?”

“It’s a true fact. You used to boast about how you sucked off your gym teacher at only fourteen. Well, look how that’s turned against you.”

“Just wait until you have to give your kid the sex talk before he’s even the age you fucked for the first time.”

Justin snorted. “You know what’s funny? My parents didn’t really have a sit down with me or talk to me about sex. It was you who taught me stuff.”

“Let’s hope I won’t have to go in too much details with Gus.” Brian shuddered. “What the fuck should I tell him? I don’t know shit about twat. Heck, we don’t even know if he likes twat. Did I mention he’s fifteen?”

“Well, don’t pressure him if he doesn’t know what he likes. If he turns out straight, I’m sure it’s going to be hard for him to tell you.”

“Yeah, I remember how gutted Mikey and the Professor were when Hunter turned out to be straight, after all.” He rolled his eyes. “Seriously, whatever Gus chooses he likes, it’s fine by me. But not for at least five more years. I’m not ready to see him grow up. I already feel ancient.”

“Don’t tell me you still feel that way. I mean, sure, sometimes when I look at Nick, especially on his birthdays, I realize I’m getting older, but so fucking what? I have him. He’s everything. He’s all I got at the moment.”

Brian averted his eyes, sighing heavily. He wished his son was near all the time too, but he was miles away. The two people he loved the most in the world had left him at the same time. He couldn’t keep Justin, but he tried his best to be there for Gus whenever he needed him, in any form he could.

“You miss him, don’t you?” Justin stepped closer, hovering a hand over Brian’s shoulder, before squeezing it. “Have you thought about moving there?”

“I did, but my life is here. Besides, I keep hoping they’ll move back.”

“You know they won’t. Unless they legalize same-sex marriages in Pennsylvania,” Justin said softly, rubbing Brian’s shoulder. “Do you visit often?”

“As often as I can.” Brian took a swig from the bottle. “It fucking guts me every time I see him. He’s always taller and smarter and more mature. You’re lucky to have Nick.”

“I am,” Justin agreed. “He’s kept me leveled these past few days. I have no idea where I’d be if he didn’t exist.”

“Don’t be silly. You’d have pulled through. And you will.”

Justin sank in the chair next to Brian, stretching his feet under the table. “You know, I gave it some thought. I know how to explain to you my feelings for Ethan so you’ll understand.”

Brian cringed. He hoped they would avoid the Ethan subject.

“I loved him just like you love Michael. Can you imagine how you’d feel if something happened to Michael?”

“I nearly lost him in that bombing. I don’t ever want to feel like that,” Brian admitted.

“Exactly. That’s how I feel, but for me it happened. I lost Ethan. Brian, please stop looking at me like that. If you want this cohabitation to work out, you have to accept that I had a relationship with Ethan for seven years. We were happy.”

“Allow me not to believe you. If you decided to compare your relationship with him to my friendship with Michael, please let me not believe you. I doubt I could live with Michael for more than a few hours, without wanting to knock him in the head or duct tape his mouth.”

“It was a matter of speaking. All I’m asking is for you to stop scoffing or scowling when I mention him. It is what it is. Can we leave the past where it is and try moving on?”

“Was that a cryptic way of admitting you still want me?” Brian frowned.

“That’s another thing—there won’t be an us again. Ever. Clear?”

“Whatever you say.”

Justin ground his teeth together, getting up, before disappearing upstairs. He was strong. He wasn’t going to cave to whatever games Brian decided to play.

Not even if Brian proved to be completely changed, Justin wouldn’t go back to him. He was going to make it on his own.

 

 

Chapter 5 by addict_writer

 

 

Since Brian managed to upset Justin, his only help to get up the stairs without breaking his neck, Brian decided it was smart to sleep on the couch in the living room.

After a few more gulps from his bottle, he relaxed enough to sleep.

He wanted to accept the situation as it was, but a part of him couldn’t believe Justin had changed that much. No one, especially Justin, could resist him. They were going to live under the same roof. Something was bound to happen. They were either going to kill each other, or Justin was going to cave.

Brian decided to give Justin a week or two, before he put his plan on regaining his trust through action. Being around him for the past twenty-four hours had brought back so many memories, Brian was overwhelmed by their heaviness.

Justin belonged with him, and he was set to prove it to Justin too. Brian wanted to remind Justin how good they were together.

In the morning, Brian woke up to someone calling his name urgently. He couldn’t recognize the voice, but when he opened his eyes, he found Nick in front of him. Unlike the previous morning, he didn’t run off.

“Come on, Brian!” The child tugged at his hand.

“What? What’s wrong?” Brian yawned, sitting up. “Easy. I can’t walk fast.”

“It’s Daddy. Please, Brian.”

Brian’s heart stopped. “Where’s Justin? Something happen?” What has the twat done?

Nick steered him to the stairs, and Brian didn’t stop to think he might get hurt more than he was. He hopped up, stair by stair.

“In the bathroom. The door’s locked.” Nick chewed on his lower lip.

Brian could hear the loud sobbing through the closed door. Is this how it’s going to be from now on? Brian wishing Justin would come back to him, and Justin crying after Ethan? He truly hoped not.

“Why don’t you go downstairs? There’s Cap ‘n Crunch on the counter and milk in the fridge.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. Go. Your dad is fine.” Brian pushed Nick back in the hallway, then knocked once on the bathroom door.

Justin sniffed loudly. “Leave me alone, Brian.”

“Pull yourself together! You’re scaring Nick. Come on, get out of there.”

“I can’t stop crying. You don’t get it.”

Brian tried the door handle. “Open the fucking door, Justin. What kind of example are you showing your kid? His father is a silly, little faggot who cries all the time.”

“Shut the fuck up!”

“Make me!”

The door was wrenched open. A tear-stained, bare-chest Justin glowered at Brian. “What the fuck is your problem?”

Brian’s argument died on his lips when he saw a purple bruise on Justin’s side, then another one on his arm. Since all Justin had on was a towel, Brian’s eyes checked everywhere for similar spots.

“What happened?” His voice was marred with concern. “Justin.”

Justin flinched away from Brian’s fingers on his ribs. “Don’t touch me.”

“Justin…”

“I’ll be downstairs. I’m fine.”

Brian kept the door open with his hand. “If these are from him…and you’re crying because he’s dead, I will surely question your sanity.”

“Not exactly from Ethan.”

“Why, Sunshine. Did you cheat on your husband? Apparently, you chose the wrong person to do it…”

“If you must know, the day it happened…that very morning, actually…we had a fight. It was stupid—about bringing Nick over to Daph’s for a few weeks in the summer. We wanted to go to Europe.”

“Daphne mentioned it.”

“Ethan said Nick would meet you, and I asked what was wrong with that? Despite the fact that we hadn’t talked in years, I wanted to believe we were still kinda friends…or we didn’t hate each other’s guts. Well, he got really mad…”

“And he hit you? For real?”

Ethan should be happy he was dead, because Brian was so angry he wanted to kill Ethan for hurting Justin.

“He…we…there was…” Justin gulped. “Fuck, yes. Okay? He said his son wasn’t going to be around you…He called you something I’d rather not repeat. I got upset. I have no idea what got into me, but I slapped him across the face. I regret it more than you know.”

“And he punched you back?” Brian led a shaky Justin to the bed, wrapping the blanket around his shoulders.

“He looked at me incredulously, then got this look in his eyes…like that time when we first broke up. He stated that I still love you.”

“We got that settled,” Brian said gently.

“Don’t you understand, Brian? I hate it when you’re right. My whole life in New York was a lie! All I wanted was to come back to you…then we had that fight…then I found Ethan again…and I hoped if I took him with me to my fake life, we could be happy. I could be happy. I broke all connections with Pittsburgh, besides Daphne.”

“You always liked to complicate your life. Still, you didn’t explain your bruises.”

“When he said I still loved you, I denied it. Suddenly our argument wasn’t anymore about Nick staying with Daphne, but about my feelings for you.” Justin took a shuddering breath. “Ethan accused me of indirectly cheating on him…with you. He asked if I ever thought of you when I said the words, when we made love…I tried to talk sense into him. He dismissed my attempts at talking rationally, and when he was on the way out of our room, I blocked his path. Ethan shoved me out of his way.” Justin gingerly touched his purple ribs. “The knob of the door handle did this. It hurt like shit at the moment. It also made him stop and check if I was okay.”

“Fucking piece of shit! Did I ever hurt you?” Brian took his hand. “Even during our worst fights, we never got physical.”

“I did once.” Justin looked down, ashamed.

“I needed that knocking down, besides you didn’t push hard. I couldn’t keep my equilibrium on my best days during Chernobyl. What about this?” Brian brought them back to the subject at hand, touching one finger to Justin’s arm.

“From the door. Both are from that shoving.”

“Christ! What the fuck was wrong with him? It’s been what? How many days? It’s still smarting, Justin.”

“I’ll live. The thing is, Ethan apologized for his outburst. When I wanted to talk again about our plans for the summer, he said we’d talk when he got home.” Tears sprung in his eyes. “He never got home again.”

Brian started understanding why it was hurting Justin so much to lose Ethan. He knew more about their relationship, and it was exactly like he had imagined—a huge lie, a fairytale in Justin’s head.

Justin wiped his tears, sniffing loudly. “I need a few more minutes. I promise we’ll talk. I’ll tell you everything. All I’m asking of you is to not mention this to anyone, especially Nick, and don’t talk bad about Ethan in front of Nick.”

“You’re asking a lot, Sunshine.”

“Try. For me.”

“I’m going to entertain your kid. Don’t take too long.” Brian made his way downstairs slowly, gripping the banister tightly.

He found Nick at the table, eating cereal from the box. “Didn’t you find the milk?”

“I don’t eat it with milk,” he answered, sticking his hand in the box, then shoving a handful of cereal in his mouth. “Is Daddy okay?”

“He’ll be okay. He’s sad because Ethan died.” Brian went to start the coffee.

“I miss Pappy, too. Is Pappy really never coming back?”

Brian froze mid pouring water in the coffee maker. He wasn’t sure what to tell Nick. He didn’t know how much Justin had explained to him about death.

“I’m afraid not, but he’s watching over you.”

When Nick didn’t answer, Brian turned to see the little boy in tears. “You mean I’m never going to see Pappy again? It’s not like his trips when he came back…”

Brian was saved from trying to explain by Justin’s appearance in the doorway. His somber mask was back on. The glimpse of honesty Brian got upstairs was gone.

“Daddy!” Nick rushed to him, hugging Justin around the waist.

“What’s wrong, baby?” He stroked his hair, before meeting Brian’s eyes. “What did you tell him,” he mouthed.

“Brian said Pappy is never coming back! He’s lying, right?”

Justin crouched to his son’s level. “We talked about this at the funeral, baby. Papa is never coming back. I told you about this. He’s in heaven.”

“What if I want to see him again?”

“You can’t,” Justin said through the tight knot in his throat.

“You told me I’ll forget about the people I don’t see. I don’t want to forget Pappy!”

Brian decided to salvage the situation, before Justin had another meltdown. “Nick, you can’t forget the people you love—no matter how much time passes. They will always live in your heart.” He maintained eye-contact with Justin as he talked. For a split of second, he thought he saw something in Justin’s eyes, but it was gone as fast as it appeared.

“Yes, Brian is right.” Justin pushed the hair out of Nick’s eyes. “Papa will be in our hearts, even though we’ll never see him again. It’s going be okay, you’ll see.” He kissed his son’s forehead, before crushing him to his chest.

The doorbell rang, breaking the tension that had settled around them.

“I’ll get it,” Brian offered, hopping to the door, bracing himself on the walls.

On the doorstep was the truck driver with his notepad. “Good morning, sir. I brought the delivery for Justin Taylor.”

“One moment.” Brian turned to Justin. “It’s for you. Do me a favor and punch him. He called me ‘sir’.”

Rolling his eyes, Justin went to sign for his stuff.

The delivery man checked if he was indeed Justin Taylor, before showing Justin where to sign. Then he took many boxes out of the back of the truck.

“What’s in here?” Justin stared in surprise at all the boxes in various sizes.

“Mr. Newman told me to bring you all these. Oh, and this.” The man gave Justin a slip of paper, before getting behind the wheel and driving away, leaving Justin surrounded by boxes.

He read the note, before crumpling it in his fist. “Fucking asshole!” He stomped inside the house. “I need help to bring everything in.”

“I can barely keep myself up,” Brian reminded him.

“You helped me with the suitcase last night. Come on. Please, Brian. The front yard is filled with my things. That asshole sent me everything—including Nick’s upright piano. And this.” He showed Brian the note. “He quits. I wanted to fire him…to have that satisfaction of firing someone…”

“Don’t be too disappointed. It gets tedious after a while—firing people.”

“Still. Help?”

Brian took his phone, dialing.

“What are you doing?” Justin demanded. Boxes were waiting outside, and Brian was making social phone calls.

Brian grinned when his phone call was answered in a sleepy voice. “Get your ass up, Mikey, and get here. Bring the Nutty Professor along.”

“It’s not necessary to bother him on a Sunday,” Justin groaned, lunging for the phone. All he managed was to knock Brian off balance, and both fell down with Justin on top.

“Ow, you little shit!”

“What’s going on? What do you want?” Michael’s voice came from the phone a few inches away from their sprawled bodies.

“Daddy?” Nick watched the scene in front of him curiously.

Justin sat up, straddling one of Brian’s legs, rubbing his knee. “I’m okay, kid.” He snatched the phone. “Sorry for bothering you, Michael. My things arrived and Brian can’t exactly help me, you know? There are many boxes. Did I mention that?” He squirmed away from Brian’s wandering hands.

“Of course Brian can’t. He has one hundred and sixty pounds of twat on top of him,” Brian sneered, taking the phone away from Justin. “So, if you’d be so nice to come help us? And would you fucking move off my leg? If it wasn’t broken before, you made sure of it now.”

“Don’t be a drama queen.” Justin stood, helping Brian up.

“Sure. We’ll be there. Try not to kill each other. At least not in front of that child,” Michael warned.

“Bye, Mikey.” Brian hung up, narrowing his eyes at Justin. “What’s wrong with you?”

“They probably had other plans. It’s Sunday, after all.”

“They were sleeping. Now they have plans—to help you. Coffee?” He made his way to the kitchen.

“What about my things?” Justin glanced outside.

“No one lives around for miles. Don’t worry. There’s no one here to steal your stuff.”

“You okay?” Justin noticed Brian was limping more than before.

“I’ll survive.”

By the time Michael and Ben arrived, Nick was installed at cartoons in front of the flat screen TV, Brian was dressed all thanks to Justin’s help, and they were outside looking through the boxes to know where to take them.

“Morning,” Michael greeted them, sliding out of their car. “These are all your paintings?”

“There.” Justin pointed to the piles by the front door. “Here are our personal belongings. Hi, Ben!” He hugged him, smiling.

“Hello, Justin. It’s so good to see you! I’m sorry for your loss.”

Brian cringed, expecting more tears, but they never came.

“Thank you. Take whatever you can.”

“Where are we taking them?” Michael hoisted a rectangular box off the ground.

“Inside. The piano can go into the living room, their things in the guest bedroom, and the paintings in the attic.” Brian shrugged.

 

 

Chapter 6 by addict_writer

 

 

The process of bringing Justin’s belongings inside the house didn’t take long; placing them in the right spots took hours, however.

Since Brian was unable to help with unwrapping the paintings in the attic, which was what took hours, he stayed downstairs with Nick. The boy was excited to be reunited with his upright piano.

Brian wasn’t a great fan of the piano music, but he preferred it to the violin. He lay lounged on the couch, with his injured foot propped on the stuffed arm of the sofa.

“He’s pretty good,” Michael said, sitting on the coffee table next to Brian.

“Don’t sit on the table.” Brian pushed Michael off with his hand.

He moved at the other end of the couch with Brian’s feet on his lap. “Does it hurt?”

“Not much. If it’s sprained, why the fuck did they put it in a cast? I can’t walk with this thing.”

“The doctor knows better. Anyway…how is it so far? Living with Justin…again?”

Brian scowled, eyeing Nick at the piano. “It’s okay.”

“What’s the plan?” Michael inquired.

“What plan?”

“To get back together. Isn’t this the reason why you accepted to shack up?”

“Don’t use that word.” Brian felt ill at the concept of shaking up. “I wanted to stay at home…and not bother you or Daphne or anyone. He offered to be my bitch.”

“How sweet. Really, Brian.” Michael patted Brian’s good leg. “Now, tell me about the real plan.”

Brian nodded to Nick. “I have to win him over. Justin’s world revolves around him. What Nick wants, he gets.”

“That’s the worst thing I ever heard you say.” Michael stared at his friend, scandalized.

Brian put his tongue in his cheek, catching Michael’s eye.

“Seriously. You’re planning on using that child to get what you want?”

“Do you have any other idea? Have you seen Justin? I’ve never seen him so fucking uptight and full of himself. Even though he shows his human face for one moment, then he’s back to—”

“He just lost his husband. Can you be a little considerate?”

“He didn’t care about Ian.”

“They weren’t together for so many years because Justin didn’t care about him.”

“No, they weren’t,” Brian agreed. “Justin lived in his fantasy world where everything was unicorns and rainbows, when in reality it wasn’t.”

“What do you mean?” Michael frowned, curious if Brian was making up stuff because he was jealous, or Justin had told him something.

“I’m thirsty. Bring me some water.”

“I’m not your bitch.”

“Oh.” Brian sucked on his lips. “JUSTIN!”

Michael slapped Brian’s good leg, snorting, earning a sly smirk from Brian.

“You don’t have to shout. I can run and get Daddy for you,” Nick chided Brian, making Michael laugh.

“What’s wrong?” Justin rushed into the living. His eyes landed on his son, checking if he was all right, then narrowed at Brian. “You scared me to death. What the fuck do you want?”

“I’m thirsty.”

Justin openly gaped at Brian. “You’re kidding, right?”

“I’m not allowed to walk.”

“You came upstairs on your own earlier, then went down on your own.”

“And I nearly fell a few times. I want water…without breaking my other leg, too.”

“Get your own water.” Justin turned to head back upstairs, when Brian waved him closer.

“Come here.” When Justin stopped next to the couch, Brian grabbed Justin’s arm, squeezing right where he knew the bruise was. “Water.”

Cringing in pain, Justin wrenched his arm away. “You aren’t going to manipulate me into bringing you water, which you can get yourself. If you needed something from upstairs, or help showering, or whatever else you couldn’t actually do yourself, I might have helped. But water? No. Get it yourself.” Justin went to his son, kissing his head. “Want to come help me unwrap my paintings?”

“Sure, Daddy.” Nick shrugged to Brian on his way out of the room, following his father.

“That went well,” Michael joked.

“Fuck off.” Brian leaned to the coffee table, snatching his cigarettes and lighter. After a few failed attempts, he managed to light his smoke, inhaling greedily. “Little shit.”

“I guess it would be harder than you thought to lure him back in your web.”

“Piss. Off.”

“Do I want to know what happened?” Ben joined them in the living room. “What have you done, Brian?”

“How did you figure it’s my fault?”

“We were talking, and Justin even smiled a few times, then you called…and when he returned, he was real upset. He wanted to be alone with his son.”

“His social skills are immaculate,” Michael answered, tickling Brian’s sole.

Brian squirmed away, cracking up. “Fuck you, Novotny!”

When Michael didn’t relent, Brian rolled off the couch, hopping to the kitchen. After sating his thirst, Brian called the take-out place. It usually took them a couple hours to get the delivery at the correct address.

By the time the food arrived, Justin and Nick returned downstairs. Justin completely ignored Brian, maintaining small talk with Michael and Ben.

Brian seized that opportunity to get closer to Nick. “Help me set the table,” he said in the child’s ear.

He didn’t take into account that Justin was a WASP and he had brought his son up in the same style. So when Nick turned to Justin, asking if he could go with Brian, it shouldn’t have come as a surprise.

Justin eyed Brian suspiciously, but nodded. “Be careful, okay?”

Nick nodded, taking Brian’s hand as they went to the kitchen.

“As much as Brian praises he doesn’t like kids, they seem to like him.” Michael looked after his best friend, watching his interaction with Justin’s kid.

“Sure he likes kids. He has one, who he misses a lot,” Justin defended Brian. He knew Brian wasn’t a big fan of kids, but that didn’t mean he didn’t like them.

“Yeah, you should have seen him a few years ago. He promoted this campaign for kids eating healthier in school. Then he had to show his face at a benefit party the parents threw for his success…and there’s this picture of a freaked out Brian surrounded by small children.” Michael laughed. “I think we have that photo somewhere, right, Ben?”

“Definitely. That campaign showed everyone he wasn’t such a monster as most people believed,” Ben agreed.

“I know. I’ve seen the photos in the newspaper. The campaign was nationwide, wasn’t it?” Justin asked, glancing toward the kitchen. He chuckled at the sight of Brian and Nick dueling with two forks. “He’s such a kid himself.”

The doorbell rang, announcing the food’s arrival. Ben offered to get it.

“Justin,” Michael said in a small voice.

“Yeah?”

“Whatever you choose to do, don’t hurt Brian. He’s suffered enough after you two broke up.”

“Why do you think I want our own place as soon as possible? I’d rather not drag this more than necessary. One reason I initially wanted to stay with Daphne.”

“So this is painful for you too? It means you still—”

“Don’t, Michael. Don’t.”

“If you’re hungry, food’s here,” Ben called over.

“Don’t worry, Michael. Getting back together with Brian is the last thing I want. Nick is my priority.” Justin made his way into the kitchen, sweeping his son off from the floor, and giving him a big kiss on the cheek. “Having fun, baby?”

Nick nodded excitedly. “Brian’s good at the Battle of Forks.”

“Is he now?”

“Yup.” Nick held his fist to Brian over his father’s shoulder.

Brian bumped his fist, grinning, before patting Justin on the shoulder. “He’s got good wrist technique.”

“That’s one thing I didn’t want to know about my five-year-old kid.”

“It’s not my fault you’re a pervert.”

“What’s a per’vt?” Nick inquired, frowning at the adults.

“Brian,” Justin groaned loudly.

“Brian is a per’vt?”

At that innocent comment everyone but Brian burst out laughing.

“It’s a great accusation,” Brian muttered.

“Then why did you call Daddy that?”

“Yes, Brian. Why?” Justin kept laughing.

“Urgh. I take it back. Forget I said anything.”

They sat at the table, still chuckling.

“Uh, I’m not sure why I’m asking any of you,” Justin started once they all calmed down. “By any chance, do any of you know of a good school? It all happened so fast…I withdrew Nick from school in New York, without having anything here. I don’t want him to miss out too much.”

“Don’t look at us. Hunter was high school material when we adopted him,” Michael said amused.

“Lucky you,” Brian told them. “I don’t know if you’re aware, but I had this campaign—”

“I am. I know,” Justin explained.

“And I stayed friends with a few principals, so I can put a good word in for you. Now, it depends what you’re looking for – private or public school?”

“He’s been in public school, but it’s for shit. I mean, they didn’t really have time to focus on all students since there were so many of them.”

“So private education?” Brian raised an eyebrow.

“Despite my better judgment, yes. I experienced that and it wasn’t so bad. At least, I remember stuff I learned all those years ago.”

“I do, too. It doesn’t matter if it’s public or private. I think it’s the student’s problem if he doesn’t study. But I doubt that’s the case. He’s your kid, after all.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment, and I’d like to talk to someone from a private school.” Justin smiled sweetly.

“Good. You’ll have to drive me to work tomorrow. I have the business cards there. And while I’m at work, you can find something to entertain yourself.”

“I have plenty to do. I’m going to talk to the galleries in town, meet with Mom and try making peace, house hunt, maybe even meet with one of the principals.” He shrugged. “Do you think Debbie would like to keep an eye on Nick? I don’t want to drag him all over town.”

“You know Ma. She’d love to but I think she’s working.”

“He can stay at Kinnetik. I was prodded to build a children’s daycare for my employees with kids.”

Michael laughed, remembering how the inauguration day turned out. “You should have seen how many there were on the first day.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “Yeah, all the daddies brought their spawns to work at their wives’ insistence. It was insane. Now it’s better. There are five-six kids, all younger than yours, but that’s because the others grew up and are in school by now.”

“Huh. I never thought you’d make a special room for employees with children.”

 

“It was Cynthia’s idea when my people weren’t at work under the excuse of staying home with the sick kid, or while their partner was at work, they couldn’t come to work as well having no one to drop the kid off.”

Chapter 7 by addict_writer

 

 

It was late in the afternoon when Michael and Ben left, but not before Michael promised Nick a tour of his store. Justin cringed at the idea of spending hours upon hours holed up in the comic book store. He trusted Michael enough to leave Nick with him for a few hours, and so his plan for the next day caught life.

Once they were alone, Justin took Nick to bed for his nap, while Brian sat on the couch with his laptop. He had to brainstorm ideas for the next campaign at work, but he preferred it to running after potential clients.

There was the new account for the toy store, opened only a few months ago, but it gave Brian headaches to find ways to promote it. He had no idea how to make it fun and reach out to the kids. If they liked the commercial, their parents would have to buy them the toys.

Justin came back downstairs, and as he walked around the couch, the screen of Brian’s laptop caught his attention. He leaned over his shoulder, tsk-ing.

“What shitty graphic artists do you have?”

“Tell me about it. They can’t get it right, and I have to show the manager of the toy store something by Friday.”

“Well, what do you have in mind?” Justin sat next to him, turning the laptop his way.

“I want to animate some toys…and have them wanting to play.”

“You know how hard that is? I can try helping you, but I’ll need a better computer. I have a program in mine.”

“You don’t have to…I’m sure you’re busy—”

“Doing what? I don’t have anything better to do, and this will take my mind off…things. Hold on.” He rushed to retrieve his laptop; Brian waited, musing on Justin’s mood swings.

When Justin returned, they focused solely on the ad, working together as good as Brian remembered. Justin had helped him many times in the past, and he always got him, unlike his Art Department.

“We need to find a pattern in this chaos,” Justin said thoughtfully, biting on his thumb as he frowned at the screen. “What has the best impact on kids? Teddy bears. We can start with the teddy, or better make him the narrator.”

“That’s not a bad idea.”

They shared a smile, before Justin typed on his computer and hit Enter with satisfaction.

“Welcome to Toys Land! I’m Mr. Bear. Let me introduce you to my friends.”

Brian burst out laughing at the rough voice coming from the computer.

Justin half-heartedly slapped his shoulder. “It’s a bear. We need a deep, rough voice. I have other types of voices.” He showed Brian other ways he could make the bear talk.

“Okay, we can keep that one,” Brian agreed after a few tries and nothing sounding right. “But I have to think of something else he’ll say. It’s too lame: I’m Mr. Bear,” he mocked.

“It was a test. I could have made him say anything else.” He pushed the laptop away. “I want something to drink. You?”

“There’s beer in the fridge. You can bring two.”

“Sure.”

While Justin was gone, Brian changed the words the bear was saying, then sat back against the couch, smiling innocently.

Justin handed Brian one beer, taking his seat beside him. As he pulled the laptop back on his knees, he pressed Enter by mistake. It was what Brian had hoped.

“Are you into bears?”

Justin gasped, narrowing his eyes at Brian. “This is for children, Brian!”

“It was funny.”

Justin deleted Brian’s words, then decided to play along. “Bears are usually tops. You willing to be my pussy boy?”

Brian’s gulp of beer flew out of his nose. “Justin!”

“What? It was funny,” he returned the words, laughing.

“As a matter of fact, I know bears who bottom.”

“They were probably afraid to try topping the Big Bad Kinney,” Justin muttered.

“Few had the privilege to feel my ass around their dick.” Brian held Justin’s eyes. “A very exclusive top two.”

Justin averted his eyes, not wanting to be guilt-tripped. Brian was great at guilt-tripping people. “I think the bear should introduce a few other plush animals, then cars, planes, and trains, and then dolls. What do you think?”

“I think you’re hiding something. You said we’ll talk…I’m all ears.”

“Since when do you want to talk? You avoid communication in all ways, maybe except when it’s done with your tongue or dick.”

“Were you really happy, Sunshine?”

“Brian, let’s work on your commercial.”

“We’ll do it tomorrow when you visit me at Kinnetik.”

“Who lied to you that I’d visit?”

“You will.” Brian shifted closer. “Let go, Justin. Tell me. I can see it in your eyes, but you’re so closed off. I’ve never seen you so hidden inside your head. What the fuck happened?”

Justin hated the way Brian could read him. “What do you want to know, Brian? I’m so fucking tired of this charade. I regret the things I said the night we broke up, is that what you want to know? I was stupid thinking Ethan was my rebound guy. It worked for a while, until I realized…”

“You still loved me.”

Justin gulped thickly. “Stop. I refuse to go through this again. We won’t happen ever again. I want you to understand I don’t want an us again. Nick is everything for me. Okay?”

“I get that. I’m not a moron. But having a kid, doesn’t mean you have to be a monk.”

“Brian, no. Please. If you ever cared a little bit about me, don’t try to win me back. We both know I’ll cave. I’m not ready to ever be in a relationship again…or any other arrangement. And if I ever want sex, I know where Babylon is.”

Brian gaped at him, unable to come up with anything.

In that moment he understood Justin was set to stay single for the rest of his life, to dedicate his entire time to his son.

He couldn’t insist on that matter. He wasn’t going to push him.

It isn’t giving up, he convinced himself. He was stepping back, because he loved Justin and hated to see him sad.

“Can we be friends?” Brian found himself asking.

“I thought we already were friends.”

“We are.”

“Good.” Justin smiled, touching his bottle to Brian’s. “To friendship.”

“To friendship,” Brian echoed him.

#

On Monday morning, Brian woke up in quite a cheerful mood. Despite the fact that his foot hurt, he decided it wasn’t anything a couple Tylenol couldn’t cure.

His attempt at showering on his own, reminded him of the previous night when Justin had helped him. Justin had brought a plastic bag from the kitchen and wrapped it around the cast, before helping Brian in the tub, insisting it would work better than the shower cabin.

As Brian stuck his cast in the plastic bag, wrapping it tightly under his knee, before stepping into the shower cabin, he remembered the way Justin’s hands had felt on his skin. He shivered, cursing the effect Justin still had over him.

Every inch of his body could still feel Justin’s soapy fingers from the previous night. Brian arched his neck, running his fingers down the column of his neck to his chest, closing his eyes as he envisioned Justin joining him. He would slip behind him unnoticed, startling him with soft kisses on his shoulder. Then his hands would wrap around his waist, turning him around, bringing his head closer as he leaned for a kiss. Brian would push them into the glass wall, earning a soft moan from Justin.

As his fantasy escalated to Justin lifting a leg, helping Brian get a better position to enter him, Brian fisted his dick, moaning. Water ran down his face as he kept tugging at his dick, lost in his mind.

“Christ, Brian,” Justin shouted, snatching the shower cabin’s door open. Water and steam blurred his vision at first, before he could focus on what he was seeing.

Startled, Brian lost his footing, but Justin was quick to grab his elbow, keeping his steady. Brian stared at Justin’s sudden apparition, rendered speechless.

“I heard you calling my name…I mean…” Justin gulped thickly, realizing why Brian was yelling his name.

Brian’s arousal clouded brain didn’t catch up with the moment, and kept pumping his dick steadily.

Justin’s eyes zeroed on the slow movements until he forced himself to meet Brian’s hazy gaze. “Brian, snap out of it!”

“If you turned into a prude, then fucking turn around and let me finish jerking off.”

Justin’s mouth dropped.

“Or you can drop to your knees since you already opened your mouth.”

“Fuck you!” Justin stormed out of the bathroom. His skin was flushed and blood boiling, but he blamed it on Brian’s audacity. He stomped off to the room he shared with his son, sitting at the foot of the bed.

After a few calming breaths, and willing his unwanted erection to mellow, he touched Nick’s feet, slowly shaking him. “Time to get up, kiddo.”

“Ngg…shleeeep…”

“Nope. We have to wake up. What, did you get used to waking up late already? A week without school and you can’t be up at seven?”

“Tiireeed.”

“I’m sure you are.” Justin leaned over his son’s body, kissing his cheek. As he pulled away, he took the blanket with him, patting Nick’s ass. “Get up now.”

“JUSTIN!”

Nick shot up looking around disorientated. Justin laughed nervously. If Brian calling his name like that got Nick to get up, he wasn’t exactly going to complain. Though, he wasn’t sure if he wanted to think too deeply of why Brian was shouting his name.

“Justin, for God’s sake! Get your ass in here!”

“The Drama Queen needs me. If you aren’t out of the bed by the time I return, you’re in heaps of trouble,” he warned Nick, leaving the room.

Nick snatched the blanket back, cuddling into the still lukewarm material.

“What now?” Justin stepped into Brian’s room, stopping in the doorway at the sight in front of him. He wasn’t sure if laughing was appropriate.

“Do you mind helping me? I’m fucking stuck!”

“I can see that. Didn’t it occur to you that you can’t fit into your precious Armani tailored pants with that cast?” Justin approached Brian who was leaning against the bed. One of his legs was in the pants, while the other not so much, stuck midway into the pant leg.

“Slowly,” Brian warned, when Justin pulled the pants off him.

“What were you wearing on Friday?”

“They fucking cut off my jeans.”

“Do you still have them? You’ll have to wear them until the cast is off.”

“Which will be later today. I’m not keeping this thing on for longer than a few more hours. First stop is the hospital.”

“Stop being such a cry baby. Here—your jeans. Do you think you can manage on your own? I have a feeling Nick is still fast asleep, even though I told him to get up.”

“If I fall, you’ll hear,” Brian grunted, snatching his jeans from Justin.

Without further drama, Brian managed to finish getting dressed on his own. In the hallway, on his way to the stairs, he contemplated whether it was safe the ask Justin for help, or adventure downstairs without help.

Justin was carefully closing the guest bedroom’s door behind him.

“Morning,” Brian said cheekily, earning a confused look from Justin.

“Morning to you too,” he muttered. “I could have lived without all that drama so early in the morning.” He yawned loudly. “We stayed up pretty late. I need coffee.”

“It’s in the kitchen.” Brian shrugged, allowing Justin to grab his arm on the way downstairs. “How did you sleep?”

“Well, thank you.”

Safely arriving in the kitchen, Brian slumped in a chair while Justin worked on preparing coffee. “You look tired.”

“Okay, I didn’t sleep well. Happy? Nick kept kicking me, and when he settled and I managed to fall asleep, I had a bad dream. It took me hours to get back to sleep.”

“A bad dream?” Brian knew from experience how cranky Justin got after such a night.

And it didn’t help that the first thing he saw was Brian jacking off, which Justin wasn’t sure yet if it was a good first thing to see in the morning, or not.

“Yeah.” He poured coffee in two mugs, sitting next to Brian. “It didn’t take long to realize it wasn’t actually a dream. It’s reality. My life has never been more complicated than it is now.” He dropped his head on the table, sighing heavily.

“If you need anything…you know I’ll help you.”

“You already have, Brian. You gave us a place to stay and you offered to help me with school names for Nick. You can’t bring back Ethan, or make this pain go away, or stop Nick from asking about his Pappy.”

“It’s true, I can’t. What I can do is help you go on. It’s not the end of the world. You said it yourself—you have to go on for your kid.” Brian stroked Justin’s hair, his heart squeezing at seeing him so sad.

“Keep reminding me that. Uh, speaking of help…would you mind terribly if you stayed with Nick tomorrow? It will be a week since…you know…I don’t know if…” A knot in Justin’s throat choked him up.

“I won’t mind. Shouldn’t you go wake him up? I’d like to get to work at a reasonable time.”

“Oh, sure. I caved and allowed him a few more minutes of sleep. Can I leave him at the daycare you have at Kinnetik while I run my errands?”

“We already got that covered.” Brian rolled his eyes.

He finished his coffee by the time Justin returned with his sleepy son under his arm. Planting him in the chair across from Brian, Justin placed the cereal box in front of him, before taking his coffee.

“Is that all that he eats?” Brian inquired. He thought Justin was a good parent, but apparently he wasn’t very careful with his kid’s food.

“It’s all he eats in the morning. No matter how hard we tried to explain the importance of a healthy breakfast, he’d still eat that crap. I hope it’s just a phase…but it’s been going on for over a year.”

“Maybe we should introduce him to Debbie.” Brian laughed. “It’s funny, though. Your kid not liking food.”

“He takes after Lucy. She was so skinny…never eating much. She’s the one who helped us…” Justin waved awkwardly to Nick, who was busy pushing fistfuls of cereal in his mouth.

“Oh, I was under the impression you had him,” Brian snarked. “Anyway, help me back upstairs. I need to get something.”

“Finish eating.” Justin shook his finger at Nick. He seized Brian’s elbow, steering him to the stairs. “Introducing him to Debbie’s food is not such a bad idea. Everyone who sees him, thinks it’s my fault he’s so scrawny. He won’t eat…and I don’t force feed him.”

“I’m surprised. You still cook?”

“Whenever I have time, yeah. Here you are. Need my help?”

“I wanted to talk to you about earlier.”

“Forget it.” Justin was uncomfortable speaking about the compromising position he had caught Brian in the shower. He knew Brian still felt something toward him, but Justin was determined not to cave. He had always gotten hurt when he opened up to Brian and allowed his love for the man to cloud his brain. This time around, it wouldn’t be only him hurt, and Justin would do anything in his power to spare Nick such pain.

Brian realized Justin wasn’t likely to accept talking about that, so he changed his mind. He was going to play a tough card. “Let me apologize for being so careless. I’m but a man, once again around his drug of sorts.”

“Brian,” Justin hissed through clenched teeth. “Don’t!”

 

They stared at each other for a long time, before Justin marched out of Brian’s room, slamming door of the guest room behind him. He tried to slow his breathing, hating the way Brian got to him.

Chapter 8 by addict_writer

 

 

Brian stood at the window showing inside the small daycare he had at Kinnetik. He leaned against the window slightly, his foot still in a cast, for a few more days as the doctor had instructed.

However, his injured leg was the least of his worries at the moment.

The little blond boy inside the room was the only one sitting by himself, clutching a plush bunny, and rocking slowly.

Over the past several days, Nick had stayed at the daycare center while Justin was busy running errands.

They had fallen into an easy pattern. Justin drove them to Kinnetik in the morning, hugging and smothering Nick in kisses, before waving goodbye to Brian. If he had time, he brought some lunch, before he was gone again, only to return close to six in the evening to take them home.

Brian was grateful for their routine. Justin hadn't commented on his injury or the fact that he was Brian's chauffeur and maid. He was still as discreet and natural about everything as Brian could remember.

Which brought Brian to his current dilemma. What was going on with Justin's child? Nick was Justin's son, so he shouldn't be so closed off and outcast.

He went into the room, greeting Susan, who was huddled around a table with the other children, drawing. She greeted him back, glancing at Nick and shaking her head. It was another failed day to make him socialize.

“Hey, kiddo!” Brian sat next to him.

Nick looked up from his toy, sighed heavily, before closing his eyes and sniffing loudly.

That was new, and Brian had no idea what to do with an about to cry child. “Hey, buddy. How about we join the others and draw something nice for your dad?”

Nick shook his head. He looked up at Brian, his eyes shining with tears and bottom lip trembling. “I want Pappy!”

Oh shit.

“I'm sure your dad explained to you enough that it's not possible. We even talked about it. Remember?”

“I want my Pappy! Pappy always had time for me when Daddy was busy.”

“Well, how would you like to spend the rest of your wait for your dad in my office? I've got some pretty neat stuff in there. I'm actually working on an advertisement for toys. You can play with them.”

Nick eyed him thoughtfully. “Really?”

“Really.” Brian smiled, offering his hand.

Nick stared at it, debating whether or not to take it, before his small hand curled around Brian's big one. He threw him a smaller version of Justin's Sunshine smile.

.

.

.

Justin was running late, and Brian buried himself in Babylon business to kill time until Justin arrived.

It was close to seven when Justin burst into Brian's office, his face drawn and eyes wild. “Where’s Nick?”

Brian lifted a brow at how unobservant, yet how fiercely devoted Justin was. He pointed to the couch where Nick was fast asleep, clutching one of the toys Brian had to advertise.

Justin drew a shaky breath, before scrubbing his face. “Fuck. I didn’t realize the daycare closed and you brought him here.”

“I brought him here since ten this morning.” Brain waved him closer. “Come here. Don’t start screaming before you think about it.”

“What is it?” Justin asked warily, going to sit in the chair across Brian's desk.

“I think Nick should talk to a doctor. You clearly have no idea what to do, and it’s not normal how he behaves. I told you how he doesn’t interact with anyone at daycare. Well, today, he was sitting forlorn in the corner, crying silently. When I asked why won’t he play with the other kids, he said he wanted his pappy.”

Justin turned to look at his sleeping son, before he pressed his hands over his eyes. “I’m aware he needs therapy, Brian. I don’t have that kind of money now, besides…I don’t want to traumatize him further by making a white coat talk to him about Ethan.”

“It’s their job. They know how to approach the subject,” Brian argued. He was willing to offer the money Justin might need for this, but he wasn’t ready to have a fight with him.

“Yeah, like my mom made me see that doctor about being gay,” he sneered.

“That’s different.”

“Forget it.”

Justin stood abruptly and went to pick his son up. Nick stirred in his slumber, clinging to his father’s neck.

“Do I have to carry you too, to the car?” Justin snapped, stopping in front of Brian's desk.

Brain gathered the papers on his desk. “We need to make a stop at Babylon.”

“What the fuck for?”

“Business.” Brian showed him the papers. “It won’t take long.”

Justin gritted his teeth. “Fine.”

It took Brian no less than forty minutes to talk to the manager and make sure the bar was stocked and they were ready for the upcoming events Babylon was going to host.

When Brian returned to his Jeep, he expected to find Justin fuming, or simply gone. Instead, he found him fast asleep in the driver’s seat. It was the most vulnerable he had seen Justin since his return.

Brian got in the backseat, and found Nick awake and looking out the window.

“Hey,” Brian whispered.

Nick smiled and pressed a finger to his lips. “Daddy is sleeping.”

“I can see that, but we need him to get home.” Brian felt like he was committing a crime when he reached over to touch Justin's shoulder.

Justin startled, turning to look at him with wide, blue eyes. He glanced at his son, then back at Brian.

“You can sleep when we get home. I’ll help Nick with anything he needs,” Brian offered.

Justin laughed, and it sounded genuine. “I’d love to see you giving him a bath.”

“I’ll have you know, I washed Gus on several occasions.”

“I’m not doubting your skills,” Justin said seriously. “Nick hates bath time.”

To cement Justin's words, Nick scowled and folded his little arms across his chest. “I don’t need a bath.”

Justin focused on backing out from the alley, but commented, “Fine. Stay dirty.”

“What’s wrong with bath time?” Brian asked curiously.

“It’s boring. My skin get wrinkly…like old people’s ass.”

“Nick,” Justin shouted. “I said that once, and you weren’t meant to hear it.”

“It’s funny, Daddy.”

“How about showering? It’s faster and your skin doesn’t get wrinkly,” Brian suggested. He knew better than to comment on what Justin had once said around his son, even though it was hilarious.

“He’s five, Brian! He can’t shower.”

“What’s a shower?” Nick seemed interested.

“You still go in the bathtub, but you don’t sit inside it. You stand under the water spray, soap up, rinse, and get out.”

“I want to try it.”

“Be my guest,” Justin insisted. “But don’t request my help.”

Brian rolled his eyes, because Justin was as devious as ever. Brian wouldn’t be able to help Nick, considering he could barely hold his equilibrium, and he shouldn’t wet the cast.

He hoped to be able to guide the child in the art of showering.

The rest of the drive was spent in silence. To Brian's amusement, there was a hint of a smile on Justin's lips, as if he doubted Brian's skills.

When they arrived home, Justin helped Brian upstairs with Nick following them.

“I’m going to start dinner. If you need me…you better not. Have fun.” Justin ruffled his son’s hair, before abandoning them in front of the guest bedroom.

“So…how about that shower?” Brian asked, opening the door.

“No wrinkly skin or rubber duckies?” Nick asked.

“You don’t like the rubber duckies?” Brian was curious why the kid didn’t want the toys.

“Nope.”

“Then, no rubber duckies, and definitely no wrinkly skin.”

Brian guided him toward the adjoined bathroom. He made sure the water was warm enough, but not too hot.

He turned around to find Nick watching the bathtub with a frown.

“Come on, buddy. Take your clothes off.” Brian clapped twice, urging the child to get a move. He wanted to prove to Justin that Nick liked showering.

“Daddy helps me with my clothes. I get stuck in them.”

Laughing, Brian motioned for Nick to step closer to where he was leaning against the sink. He made quick work of his clothes.

“Go on. Hop in the tub.” Brian nudged Nick toward it.

Nick climbed in the tub, and stood under the shower head, shivering. His trusting eyes were on Brian.

“Get yourself wet.”

Brian beamed when instincts took over, and Nick tilted his head back to wet his hair, before he turned this way and that way to get all his body wet.

“Want me to shampoo your hair?” Brian offered.

“Yes, please.”

They made a good team. While Brian shampooed Nick’s hair, Nick poured liberal amounts of shower gel all over his body.

“Give me the shower head. Careful, let’s not spray the whole bathroom.”

Brian rinsed Nick from head to toe, then leaned over to shut the water. He wrapped a fluffy towel around the child’s body.

“That’s all?” Nick sounded bewildered.

“Yes. You’re squeaky clean.”

“Wow. I love showers! Thank you, Brian.”

Brian kept him at arm’s length, when Nick was about to hug him. “I’m glad to have taught you a faster way to wash.”

Once Nick was relatively dry, Brian led him downstairs. He arrived much slower, because of his leg.

Justin seemed to have forgotten to stir in the pan on the stove. His wide eyes were on his son.

“Don’t let the food burn, dear,” Brian sneered, going to the fridge and taking a can of beer.

“How?” Justin gasped.

“Showers are cool, Daddy! You get in and out of the tub, fast and efficient.”

Brian laughed at Nick’s words to describe how cool he believed showers to be.

“What are you making, Daddy?” Nick went closer to the stove. “Daddy is an amazing cook, Brian.”

Justin groaned, turning to face the food. “Meatballs with marinara sauce and pasta.”

Brian slumped into a chair, opening his beer. He watched as Justin offered the spoon to Nick, so he could taste the red sauce. Brian refused to remember all the times Justin had offered him to taste the food he was cooking. As much as Brian had appreciated a home cooked meal, he had always mocked Justin's love for cooking. Only when he had lost Justin, he realized the little things that had disappeared along with his boyfriend.

“Does your foot hurt?” Nick’s voice pulled Brian from the lane of memories.

“No,” he said in a broken voice. Brian cleared his throat, watching as Justin instructed Nick to set the table in the dining room.

That was a room Brian rarely used.

“What’s wrong with eating here?” he asked, confused.

Justin took his time to answer, as he finished preparing the food. After he shut off the burners, he turned to look at Brian with the most honest expression he had since his return.

“Please, don’t get close. Don’t get attached. It’s enough he’s crying about Ethan. I’m not ready to hear him crying about you, as well, when we find our place.”

“Then stay,” Brian said quietly.

“I thought I was clear, Brian. I appreciate you’re helping us. It hurts both of us…being here…I’ll be out of your hair as soon as I can find a place.”

“Have you talked to your mother?”

“We’re meeting tomorrow for coffee.”

 

 

  

Chapter 9 by addict_writer

 

 

About two weeks in Justin's stay at Brian’s house, he woke up in the middle of the night after a terrible dream. He couldn’t make sense of it, but he had stopped trying to understand the way his subconscious worked.

Justin tiptoed out of the room so he wouldn’t awaken his son.

He was set to head downstairs and search for alcohol, when he noticed light coming from under a door at the end of the hallway. Curiosity pulled him toward the source of the light.

The door was ajar and he could see Brian standing in front of the window, a bottle of whiskey in hand. He had a silky bathrobe on, which amused Justin. He had to admit Brian looked good in anything he would wear.

Brian turned to him, and Justin realized he might have made some sort of noise.

Since he had been discovered, he stepped inside, clearing his throat. “Can’t sleep?”

“Ditto,” Brian said in a rough voice.

Justin took the bottle from Brian's hand and took a gulp. “Nightmare.”

Brian winced, searching Justin's eyes.

“It was a crazy one,” Justin admitted.

“Crazy how.”

Justin took another pull from the bottle, needing all the courage to speak about his bad dream. Brian was the only person who listened and gave him all the support he needed in such moments. No one had understood what Justin needed after a nightmare better than Brian.

“Maybe I shouldn’t tell you,” Justin averted, since the memories were painful for both of them.

Brian snatched the bottle back. “You still have nightmares about prom?” He sounded surprised, but spoke in a detached way, as if he didn’t care anymore.

Justin knew that was Brian's usual approach when his prom was mentioned. “Sometimes. Not often. Actually…” Justin retrieved the bottle. “…this is the first one in over three years. Shit. It was so fucked up.”

“It was,” Brian said softly.

“The dream, I mean,” Justin explained. “It was the usual thing…I was being chased by Hobbs, you screamed my name, but the new addition was when I was hit and fell to the ground, I was sort of out of my body. I could see the scene and there was Ethan too. He was saying how I deserved it, mocking me, belittling me.” Justin dared to meet Brian's surprisingly watery eyes. “You kept trying to get me to react…shaking me and calling my name.”

“Christ, Justin.” Brian wrapped an arm around Justin, hugging him tightly.

“It was fucked up…” Justin's words died on his lips when he noticed what Brian had under his bathrobe.

After his confession about his nightmare, seeing Brian wearing the old, white, bloodied, silky scarf was a shock to Justin's system. “What the fuck?” He gripped one end of the scarf. “What…the…fuck?”

Brian took Justin's hand, both of them holding the scarf. “You’re not the only one who has nightmares, Justin. This was my last connection to you.”

“Fuck.” Justin dropped his hand, allowing the tears that pooled in his eyes to roll down his cheeks.

It was obvious Brian still loved him, and Justin knew the outcome if he stayed there any longer. He would allowed Brian back in his heart, and then no one would be able to mend him when they broke up because Justin was aware their relationship wouldn’t survive.

“I…have to go.” He walked backwards out of the room, noticing for the first time how it was decorated. There was an easel, a small table near it, several blank canvases, and even a cloth to place on the floor so the hardwood wouldn’t get damaged.

None of the things looked new. In fact, they had dust on them.

Brian had created this room for Justin, and Justin had never used it.

After changing in jeans and a shirt, he took the keys and left. He trusted Brian to be there for Nick in case he woke up and needed anything.

Justin was selfish for once in his life and needed distance.

He drove to Babylon, arriving at twelve-thirty. The bouncer was surprised to see him, but he greeted him by his name, which amazed Justin. It felt like he hadn’t been gone for so many years. Everyone still remembered him and was nice to him.

Even the bartender remembered his preference for margaritas. Justin didn’t bother to tell him margaritas were the worst nowadays. He accepted all the glasses pushed his way.

“I don’t believe it!”

Justin cringed when he heard Emmett's voice, but turned slowly to face his friend.

“It is you,” Emmett gasped.

“I sleepwalked here,” Justin muttered.

“Babylon is a long way from home, baby.”

“That’s not home. It’s a temporary roof above my head. I made amends with Mom, and she’s searching for a place for us.” Justin downed his third margarita. He hoped it was the third, though judging by the way his brain felt foggy, it was the fifth. “I’m not here to hear about you worrying about me.”

“Are you here with Brian?” Emmett frowned, looking utterly confused.

“No, I left him babysitting,” he sneered, making eye-contact with a man over Emmett's shoulder.

The subtle nod toward the Backroom was all the invitation Justin needed.

“See you.” Justin patted Emmett's shoulder, heading toward the Backroom, following his trick.

A still sober part of his brain kept telling him this was terrible coping mechanism with his problems, but he shoved rationality out the door and pushed his trick against a wall. The man felt wrong and his touches were foreign, so Justin pushed his pants down, keeping his arms pinned, before accepting a lubed condom from his old acquaintance Todd. The fuck was empty and not satisfying in the least, but it didn’t stop Justin from finding another guy not long after he abandoned his first trick.

When he resurfaced from the Backroom, he drank a couple more margaritas before getting lost on the dancefloor. He spotted Emmett at some point, but he dismissed his friend’s worried face when an eager pair of hands touched his chest.

This was exactly what Justin needed to forget about his shitty life. Nothing seemed to go the way he wanted.

He was stuck living with Brian, and every day felt like the memories got the best of him making his resolve crumble. Brian seemed restless in winning Justin back.

Nick loved Brian, and even complained about moving to their own place, because he liked it there and Brian was the coolest.

Justin's mom wasn’t much help in finding a good apartment at a decent price. The only thing remotely affordable was a loft similar to the one Brian used to have. Justin had ripped her a new one for daring to show him a bachelor pad when he had a child to raise. Jennifer had made sure to remind him, he lived in a palace bought for him by the man who still loved him despite the way he had acted. That speech cemented his mom was Team Brian.

Justin was also struggling to get his own show at a gallery, but there was no free spot, and most of the owners were afraid to bring a new name for a solo show. Justin's arguments about him being from Pittsburgh and having his art displayed in shows before fell to deaf ears.

His night at Babylon was all he needed to take his mind off his problems.

After another trip to the Backroom, when he was sipping on his latest cocktail, Emmett appeared at his side with Drew.

“We’re taking you home,” Emmett demanded.

Justin couldn’t argue. Words got tangled on his tongue, and he seemed unable to escape Drew’s iron-grip on his arm.

He tried to protest once they were outside, pointing to Brian's Jeep.

“I’ll drive it, follow Drew,” Emmett offered, taking the keys from Justin.

Justin didn’t show his surprise that Drew knew the way to Brian's house. He sat silently in the passenger seat of the Hummer, ignoring the sudden nerves making his stomach churn. Maybe it was the alcohol.

Once they arrived, Justin went to get the Jeep keys from Emmett, before marching inside the house. He felt like a child being brought home from a party by his parents.

Brian was in the foyer, worry evident in his eyes.

Justin brushed past him on his way to the kitchen. He was aware of Brian chatting with Emmett, before he saw Drew’s car departing.

Justin took a bottle of water out of the refrigerator, taking careful sips. He spotted Brian in the doorway, leaning against the jamb, a scowl on his face.

“Come on, say how disappointed you are in me. Say I’m a failure. Or just go.”

“It’s after three,” Brian said with a hint of amusement.

Justin barked a loud laugh. “That’s so rich. Well, let me refresh your memory, old man. We’re not in a relationship. I simply live here because of some very unfortunate circumstances. If I didn’t have Nick, I wouldn’t have accepted to play nurse.”

“Somehow, I didn’t miss your lovely personality.”

“Ditto,” Justin spat, heading out of the kitchen.

Brian caught his arm. “Would you stop running away from your problems? Stop running away from me,” he added softly.

Justin was ready to argue, but he had a moment of clarity in his drunken haze. Brian had never run away from Justin. It had only been Justin putting a distance between them, despite all of Brian's efforts to keep him away, he had been the one to seek Justin and make sure he was safe.

“I can’t, Brian,” he said in a lifeless voice.

“Can’t, or won’t?” Brian challenged, searching his eyes.

“It’s complicated.”

“Why? Because you overanalyze everything? Because you turned your back to a problem instead of facing it like a mature person? Because you still love me?”

“It fucking hurts.”

“Love hurts, in case no one has told you that.”

Justin slumped on the first step, grabbing his hair. He couldn’t believe they were having this conversation. He had expected him to be the first to cave, but it seemed Brian was tired of their game.

“You can stay here until Jennifer finds you an apartment. Then, I don’t even want see you.” Brian's cold voice made Justin look up at him sharply.

He expected to see some hint of sarcasm on his face, but he looked so angry and betrayed, Justin knew he had fucked up any chance they might still have had.

Brian sidestepped him, taking the stairs one at the time, mindful of his cast.

Justin hurried to help him, but Brian shoved him away, annoyed. “Don’t touch me!”

Unfortunately, Justin's already precarious equilibrium due to the alcohol in his system, made him lose balance and fall down the five stairs they had managed to ascend.

“Fuck. Justin!” The sound of Brian's scared voice and his fall seemed to have triggered something Justin didn’t ever expect to remember.

After the nightmare that had awakened him starting his eventful night, this was everything his tormented body needed.

He stared with wide eyes at his shoes, as Brian threw himself next to him on the floor. Justin could feel Brian's hands on his face and shoulders, but all he could see in the back of his mind was flashes of them dancing and laughing and kissing.

“Justin,” Brian said urgently. “Did I hurt you?”

Justin moved his eyes to Brian's, and started sobbing at how overwhelmed he felt.

“Fuck. Where does it hurt? Talk to me.” Brian pulled him in his arms, and Justin wrapped his arms around Brian.

It was the first time in weeks when he allowed himself to feel anything. His fingers clutched at Brian's silky bathrobe, as he washed Brian's neck in his tears.

“Do you need the hospital?” Brian kept asking silly questions, and it took a lot of effort for Justin to gather his wits and control his sobs enough to speak.

He pulled away to look at Brian, cupping his cheeks. He was about to confess how much he still loved him, but all that escaped his mouth when he opened it, was a loud sob, followed by laughter of joy.

“You’re freaking me out, Sunshine.”

“I remember,” Justin choked out.

Justin knew Brian understood perfectly well what he meant when he stopped breathing, staring at him in horror.

“The dance…your smile…the way you kissed me in front of everyone. We were fucking amazing,” Justin gushed, squeezing his eyes shut, revisiting his freshly reappeared memories.

“We were alright,” Brian said quietly, taking one of Justin's hands in his.

Justin opened his eyes only to roll them. Then he started laughing. “Who knew being shoved down the stairs would do the trick? We would have tried it ages ago.”

Brian winced. “I can’t believe I did that. I was so sure I had hurt you…when I had vowed to myself to never harm a hair on your body after watching you thrashing in that hospital room for weeks.”

“I just lost my equilibrium.” Justin averted his eyes, focusing on their still joined hands. “I took a leaf from your book and got wasted then fucked my way through the Backroom. I didn’t feel anything.”

“I usually didn’t feel shit either with my tricks. Until you.”

Justin smiled, squeezing Brian's hand. “Let me help you up. Did you hurt yourself?”

“I might need a happy pill. Don’t worry.”

When they were both standing, Justin grabbed Brian's elbow. “This goes both ways, Brian. You were worried about me a moment ago. I didn’t brush you off. You have to learn to accept that pain doesn’t make you weak.”

“You were always philosophical when you were drunk.” Brian hopped into the kitchen, taking a painkiller from the counter and washing it with the water Justin had abandoned. “See? I can be responsible and take meds with water.”

Justin fought a smile, feeling more at ease than he had in a while. “Though, you still kick inanimate objects when things don’t go your way.”

“I called a mechanic last week to fix the garage door,” Brian reminded him.

“Only eight years too late.”

Brian shrugged, placing the empty bottle back on the counter. “It’s time to mend what we broke.”

 

 

End Notes:

I'm going into hiding until tomorrow.

Chapter 10 by addict_writer

 

 

The following morning, Brian was surprised to find Nick on the couch, eating cereal from the box and watching cartoons.

After the eventful night, he had gone to bed close to four in the morning. Brian had never been one to sleep much, so after barely three hours of restful sleep he was awake at seven thirty on a Saturday.

“Have you been up for a while?” he asked, hovering in the doorway.

Nick shook his head slowly. “Daddy pushed me out of the bed.”

“Ouch. He likes to hog the bed, huh?” Brian tried not to laugh at the memory of Justin kicking him in the middle of the night. Of course, he had never accomplished the task to send him out of the bed, but Nick was smaller.

Brian left the child to eat his choice of breakfast while he went to make coffee.

Once Brian had a steaming cup in his hand, he joined Nick on the couch.

They watched cartoons in silence, but Brian could tell Nick wanted to say something. He kept peeking at the adult next to him.

It was so uncanny, how similar Nick was to when Justin used to do the same in the beginning of their relationship, when he didn’t know how to broach some subject.

Brian decided to find out what was upsetting the child. “What’s up, little guy?”

“Are we really going to move somewhere new? I like it here.”

“That’s your dad’s decision, but he might stay here.”

Their chat from a few hours ago gave Brian hope that everything was going to be okay between them. It would be a slow process, and he was ready to go at Justin’s pace.

“I still don’t understand what happened…not much. Pappy is gone forever and we came here. Daddy cries a lot and doesn’t like you.” Nick met his eyes. “He got upset when I told him I like you and I want to stay here,” he explained.

“It’s more complicated than us liking…or not each other.”

“Do you like Daddy?”

Brian wasn’t sure what Nick meant by that, what he expected to hear. “Yeah,” he answered, keeping it simple.

Like, like him?” Nick insisted, putting the box on the couch and turning his full attention on Brian.

“What’s with all these questions?”

“Maybe you can convince him to stay here with you.” Nick chewed on his lips. “I wasn’t s’pposed to listen in, but Daddy and Pappy were really loud. They had many fights about a guy named Brian. I guess that’s you.”

Brian was shocked to hear Nick was aware of his daddies fights, especially the topic of their arguments.

“Daddy sometimes told me stories about his life here in Pittsburgh. He showed me a picture of you and him. I figured you were friends. Daddy only told me he moved to New York for his career.”

“Nick, like I said, it’s more complicated. Yes, I’ve known your dad for years. People change…especially when they don’t see each other often.”

“So you’re not friends anymore? I can see you like him.”

Brian chuckled. Only Justin's kid would be so adamant to make peace between them, even play matchmaker.

“And it won’t upset you if…hypothetically I date your dad?” Brian refrained from sounding mocking. Because he was serious, if he had Nick’s blessing, he would try harder than before to get back in Justin's good graces.

“Hy…phoet…thickally,” Nick repeated slowly, unsure.

“It means in theory…what if…”

“Oh.” Nick nodded seriously. “I won’t be upset. I want Daddy happy. I saw how happy you both were in his pictures. And since we came here, Daddy seems—”

Brian didn’t get to find out how Nick thought Justin was since their return to Pittsburgh because his phone rang. He picked it from the table, scowling at Michael’s name. As always, perfect timing to interrupt his important conversations.

“Hey, Mikey.”

“Good morning. I hope I didn’t wake you.”

“No, you know me.” Brian sipped from his coffee, ignoring his need for a smoke. His cigarettes were in his room, and he wasn’t ready to use Nick to fetch them for him. “What’s up?”

“Ben and I were wondering if you wanted to come over for dinner later.”

It wasn’t the first time Michael had invited him over for dinner, but it was the first time since Justin's return.

“In case you forgot, I have guests and my foot is in a cast.”

“Guests,” Michael scoffed. “The invitation extends to Justin and his son, of course! You’ll sit on the rocker.”

That was Brian's favorite seating spot in Michael’s backyard. He had gotten the same model of his back porch. “You drive a hard bargain. I’ll tell Justin when he wakes up.”

“Great. It will be just us, so don’t worry about Ma being nosy about your life.”

“No, that will be you,” Brian muttered. “What time do you want us?”

“Six? Is that okay?”

“Sure. See you.” Brian placed the phone between him and Nick on the couch.

The child was once again engrossed in the cartoons playing, but Brian didn’t like them. He decided to adventure upstairs to get his cigarettes.

Brian had never missed his loft more since his injury which disabled him from going up and down the stairs. It was more of a challenge to go up than down.

Inside his room, he grabbed the small box and the lighter. Brian was back in the hallway when he heard a groan of pain from the guest bedroom, and he went inside without knocking.

Justin had a towel in his hands, which he hastily tied around his waist, but his butt had been on display long enough for Brian to see an ugly bruise. He immediately knew it was there because of his volatile reaction when he had shoved Justin down the stairs.

“It doesn’t hurt,” Justin said emphatically.

“Yeah, right. I just heard you groaning in pain.”

“Yeah, I stubbed my toe on the foot of the bed.” He winced, pointing to his red toe. “Did you just wake up?”

“No. You’re a terrible nurse. I had to go downstairs on my own, and just now I came back to get my smokes.”

Justin rolled his eyes, but there was no malice in them for the first time in days. “When are you out of it?” He nodded to the cast.

“On Monday if I have a say in this.”

“Don’t you have an appointment? You need to make one,” he explained.

“I’ll just ask for the doctor on call to take it off. Anyway, we’re going to have dinner with Mikey and Ben, so no Babylon tonight, dear.”

Justin winced, sitting at the foot of the bed. “I still can’t believe what I did last night.”

“You needed to relax, and I have to say that your trip to Babylon did the trick.” Brian laughed at his own pun, making Justin scowl.

“Are you sure about us staying here? I couldn’t fall asleep right away when I came to bed. It would be counterproductive to uproot Nick again from a place he feels comfortable in, from the place I have enlisted for his school as his home.”

“Justin, you can stay for as long as you want.” Brian walked closer, sitting next to him. “Maybe you’ll even stop sharing a bed with Nick. He complained to me about how you kicked him off the bed.”

“Shit. I guess he needs his own room. I could take the other guest bedroom,” Justin said thoughtfully.

“Or, you could move into the master bedroom,” he hinted at what he desired the most.

“I’m not kicking you out of your room.”

Brian took one of Justin's hands, meeting his blown pupils. He could see a hint of hope in them. “As long as you don’t kick me out of the bed during the night…we can share.”

Justin sighed loudly, which was more than he had done in the past when Brian had hinted at them getting back together.

“Baby steps. I fooled myself I could keep you away, but it’s impossible. Just…give me some time, please.”

“As long as you want. We have to learn how to live together again, without shouting at each other. I believe Nick has heard enough fighting between his dad and the person they lived with.”

Justin's eyes widened, then sorrow filled them. “He told you that?”

“He mentioned he heard your arguing with Ian about me. I feel special.”

“Fuck. I told you. I don’t want to remember those times. Did Nick say anything else?” Justin asked, worried.

Brian laughed. “He’s been trying to hook us up all morning.”

“What,” Justin choked on his spit.

“Justin, even a child can see it.”

It…needs more time,” he said softly. “Let me get dressed and I’ll help you downstairs.”

Brian remained on the bed while Justin went to the bathroom with a handful of clothes. It was laughable after everything that had trespassed between them in the past.

Justin returned not long later and pulled Brian up. “I want to talk about this.”

“Not now. But we will,” Brian promised.

Justin wrapped an arm around Brian’s waist, guiding him out of the room and down the stairs carefully. He took Brian to the couch, leaning over to ruffle his son’s hair.

“Morning, kiddo.”

“Morning, Daddy.” Nick threw him a blinding smile.

“There’s coffee in the pot,” Brian said, placing a cigarette between his lips.

Justin plucked it before Brian could lit it up. “Not in front of Nick.” He left the room with the smokes.

“These things kill,” Nick said seriously.

It was most likely something he had heard it at Justin, though of what Brian knew, Justin smoked, too.

“I’m aware. Did your cartoons end?” Brian noticed Nick had switched to Animal Planet.

Nick shrugged, fixing his dad with his eyes when Justin rejoined them. Justin sat on Nick’s other side, helping himself with a handful of cereal from his son’s box. He threw them in his mouth, managing to put half of them on his chest, which he proceeded to pick off meticulously.

“I have a question,” Nick said seriously.

“Shoot,” Justin said, distracted, chasing a stray cereal.

Brian realized it would take him centuries to get re-used to Justin's messy behavior.

“Why are there no gay cartoon characters?” Nick sounded genuinely confused.

Unfortunately, Justin had chosen to take a gulp of coffee right before his son’s question came, which made him choke and drench his shirt in his drink.

Brian was just as surprised by Nick’s inquiry, though he had to admit the child had a point.

Justin cleared his throat several times, before turning his attention on Nick. He opened his mouth, but eventually he closed it, unable to come up with a solid explanation.

“Is it because of the hermaphobes?”

“Homophobes,” Justin said with a chuckle. “Honestly, I have no idea, Nick.”

“Well, it’s stupid. There should be gay cartoon characters.”

“Let’s continue this conversation when you’re older. I’m going to change my shirt,” Justin added, disappearing from the room.

“What do you think, Brian?” Nick turned to him.

“Television is for straight people. They don’t advertise gay as a lifestyle.”

Nick pursed his lips. “That’s silly.”

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Fear not, they will have the much awaited talk.

Chapter 11 by addict_writer

 

 

On Monday, the visit to the hospital to take Brian's cast off was a tiring experience. Brian was happy to be rid of the cast, but it would take him a while to get used to step on his foot correctly. The doctor advised him to try a couple physiotherapy classes to strengthen the muscles and relearn how to step correctly, but Brian flat out refused.

“You weren’t in a cast for long, but you haven’t used your leg properly during this time,” Justin said once when they were in the car.

“You heard the doctor. I have to keep walking. I’ll be fine.” He rolled his ankle a few times, wincing.

“Therapy helps…in the long run. I mean, I didn’t see results during my therapy when I had to relearn how to use my right hand until weeks, months later. Of course, for you it’s different, but this is your foot. The doctors will teach you how much pressure to apply when you walk, what type of pain you should expect, when it’s advised to do more with the leg…like run or dance.”

“Christ. Were you always so annoying?” Brian groaned.

Justin shot him an amused look. “I’m only looking out for you, Brian.”

“Thanks, but no thanks.”

“Besides, after a certain age, mending bones is a delicate job.”

Brian laughed, despite the fact that he wanted to strangle Justin.

Ever since their chat on Saturday early morning after Justin's escapade to Babylon, the air between them seemed to have cleared. Justin was almost back to his former self, the way Brian knew him. He even hinted at small restorations and repainting some rooms at Britin, which was more than he had done since his return.

During dinner at Michael and Ben’s, Justin didn’t get upset by Michael asking how he found the living arrangements. Justin even said he and Nick were going to be at Britin for the foreseeable future. Brian had chosen to show ignorance to that comment, even though he was pleased to hear Justin had decided it was for the best to stay home.

“Take you to work?” Justin asked at a red light.

“Where else would we go?” Brian rolled his eyes, lighting himself a cigarette.

“I’m meeting Mom for lunch. I thought maybe…you missed her.” His voice was small, and he kept his eyes on the traffic light.

“What for? Did you change your mind about staying with me?”

“No. I have to tell her that, besides…” He glanced at Brian. “I’m worried about telling her my decision to live with you. She expects this. She kept complaining about me trying to find my own place, when you bought that palace for me, and how ungrateful I am.”

Brian grimaced, flicking ash out the window. “It’s your decision where you want to be. It’s true, I would like to have you home, but you do what you think is best for Nick.”

Justin gripped the steering wheel, driving carefully when the light turned green. “Nick already adores you. I’m not sure how it happened. He’s not friendly towards strangers. You saw how wary he was around Ben and Michael.”

“What do you want?” Brian asked.

“I want you to come with me to my lunch date with Mom,” Justin said slowly. “And I want to repair what we broke a decade ago. I want you back in my life.”

Brian smiled, satisfied with Justin's answer. He had been waiting to hear those words ever since Justin's return. “Now, that wasn’t so hard, was it?”

“I also want to punch you in the face for how you act when feelings come in a conversation,” Justin muttered.

Brian leaned closer, pressing his lips to Justin's ear. “I want you back, too.”

Justin shuddered, biting his lip. “Baby steps. Getting back together scares me like nothing else, because I know how intense everything gets…and I also know how it hurts when things don’t work.”

“We will make it work this time. Third time is a charm.”

“Try the seventh time,” Justin laughed, glancing at Brian.

Brian relaxed back in his seat. “Let’s go see Mother Taylor,” he said, making Justin grin.

They were quiet for a while, during which Brian smoked another cigarette.

“Oh, by the way, I noticed you stopped wearing the ring,” Brian added off-handedly when they pulled in an empty parking spot at the restaurant.

“It’s time to leave the past behind.”

Brian knew it was going to be a challenge to go at Justin's pace, but in reality, he had trained himself for the difficult times awaiting him for the past month. Brian hadn’t had a trick in weeks, which proved to him he was capable of living without his side-pleasure. Because Justin would set strict terms when they were going to have a serious conversation about their relationship. Justin would want monogamy, and Brian was ready to give him anything he wanted.

The truth was, he had reduced the numbers he fucked nameless guys drastically since his break-up with Justin. None of his friends knew it, and he wasn’t going to explain his actions.

Justin met Brian at the front of the car, hooking an arm around his elbow. Brian was about to point out that he didn’t need support anymore, when he hissed in pain for putting too much pressure on his freshly healed foot.

“How about that therapy?” Justin asked gently.

“I’ll call the clinic later,” Brian mumbled. He loathed his body for betraying him in such a way. He hadn’t even thought about the aftermath of his time in the cast.

“Shit. She’s here,” Justin groaned, when they stepped into the restaurant.

While Justin explained to the hostess they had reservations, Brian spotted Jennifer at a table near the window, busy looking at her phone. When she looked up, Brian nodded in greeting, watching the evident shock on the woman’s face.

The hostess led them to Jennifer’s table, promising to send the waiter soon.

“Oh, Brian! I heard about what happened. Are you okay?” She jumped up, reaching to hug him and check on his leg.

“Hello, Jennifer. I just escaped the cast. Justin definitely missed his vocation. He would have made an excellent nurse,” he praised her son, winking his way.

“Hi, Mom. I’m fine, thanks for asking,” Justin muttered, sitting across from her.

“Well, I’m surprised you brought Brian. I didn’t know…I thought…” she stammered, taking her seat.

Brian sat between them, fighting amusement at the interaction between mother and son.

“I won’t need your services about finding an apartment anymore,” Justin said formally.

Jennifer shot Brian a confused look when he snorted in his glass of water. He shook his head, because he wasn’t walking into a conversation about how WASPy Justin had sounded.

“Did you make up?” she asked.

“Not officially.”

“Possibly.”

Justin laughed at his and Brian's different answers, amending his reply, “Not really.”

“Well, I’m happy to hear this. Brian never made you cut ties with your family. He always supported you in keeping us close.” Jennifer offered Brian a small smile.

“For your information, Ethan didn’t make me do anything. All the decisions I made in New York were mine, as stupid as they were. Can we leave my life in New York in the past, and move on?” Justin pleaded.

“Okay,” she agreed. “Did you find a gallery?”

“I’m working on it. I have a few options. I also want a show by summer.”

Their waiter arrived, and Brian was pleased to see a familiar face. Daniel had been the epitome of professional during one of Brian’s business dinners not long ago. His client was one of the biggest homophobes he had the misfortune of encountering, and their waiter was an obvious gay man. Daniel was a lot like Emmett, if Brian thought about it.

Daniel recognized Brian, and offered him a small smile after greeting the table.

While Jennifer ordered a salad and Justin decided to try the salmon pasta dish, Brian simply said, “My usual.”

“You dine here often?” Jennifer asked, surprised.

“Only with important clients.”

“You seem to be cozy with the waiter,” Justin noticed.

Brian chuckled, amused of how jealous Justin got.

“Daniel is a trooper for standing his ground and not going for the jugular to one of my clients. As you might have noticed, he’s queer, and sadly, he waited for an important business dinner where my client commented every time he came by our table.”

“That’s absolutely terrible,” Jennifer said emphatically. “Does it happen often?”

“Working with homophobes? No; only when I need their money.”

She smiled indulgently. “I meant people making snide remarks at you.”

“Oh, he didn’t say anything to me because he didn’t know. But by the end of our dinner, he was aware of my sexual preference.”

“Did you fuck the waiter in front of him?”

Brian smirked at Justin, but Jennifer scolded her son for his language.

“Well, did you?” Justin insisted, leaning closer to Brian.

“No, give me some credit. I gave Daniel a big tip and invited him to Babylon, the other place I own, you know…a gay dance club.”

“That’s called tact,” Jennifer laughed.

“And that’s where you fucked him,” Justin stated.

Brian shrugged, because Justin knew him so well, it was scary.

“Is this going to end now that you’re getting back together? Your extra-curricular activities?” Jennifer inquired.

“Mom,” Justin hissed. “That’s part of Brian’s lifestyle. I never want him to change.”

Brian covered Justin’s knee under the table. “Don’t worry, Jen. I plan on changing a few of my habits. It’s been a while since I indulged in my promiscuous lifestyle. But my reputation precedes me.”

“Really?” Justin gasped.

Brian only smiled, leaning back in his chair to allow Daniel to place their food on the table.

“I mean, sure, you had your leg in a cast and all that,” Justin averted.

 

“It started before that,” Brian explained.

“What about Nick? Does he get along with Brian?”

Justin snorted, picking his fork. “They’re best buddies. I still have no idea how this happened. Nick is extremely shy, and it takes weeks to talk to strangers, let alone be friends with them.”

“During that campaign to promote healthy food in schools, I had several principals telling me I had a way with kids.” Brian smirked. “I’m not a big fan of children, as we all know. But Nick is one of the best-behaved kids I have ever met.”

“Thank you,” Justin whispered.

Jennifer smiled at their exchanged, happy to see her son ready to think of his future and accept Brian was what he needed to heal. As much as she hadn’t liked Brian in the beginning, Jennifer had come to think of him as a second son, and saw him as a mature man, able to take care of Justin.

“How’s Molly?” Justin asked suddenly. “She never told me what college she wanted to get in.”

“Is it her last year of high school?” Brian asked.

“Try her last year in college,” Justin said, amused.

“She went to Dartmouth, after all. I think she’s dating someone, but she never told me about this guy.”

“Maybe the guy is a girl, and she’s worried about telling you both your children are gay,” Brian joked.

“It is a man. And he’s from Pittsburgh, because every time she visited for the summer, he brought her back in his Mercedes.”

“Fancy,” Justin whistled. “I’m sure he’s a busy man, driving such a car.”

“Well, I expect to meet him. She should return in a couple of months. She already has a job, and I have no idea how that happened.”

“Wow. What job?”

“Manager Assistant for this new construction company downtown. The name escapes me, and Molly only mentioned getting the job in passing.”

“That’s a tough job,” Brian commented. “I should introduce her to Cynthia…you know, for pointers.”

“Maybe she’ll get a decent boss, not a freak like you. Cynthia needs a statue for the way you treat her,” Justin said seriously. “Well, I can’t wait to see Molly again. I haven’t talked to her in a while.”

Jennifer nodded. “I know you kept in touch, because she used to ask me when I was going to forgive you. She probably chose Dartmouth to put some distance between us, since we kept fighting about everything.”

“I hear girls are more difficult to raise. At least, that’s what Lindsay says.”

Justin's eyes sparked as he looked at Brian. “Oh! What are they now? Twelve and fifteen?”

“Yes.” Brian nodded.

“A whole lifetime,” Jennifer gushed. “Has Gus been talking about college?”

Brian shook his head. “That’s a taboo subject. The girls are pushing him to come to the States for college, and I keep telling him it’s his choice. He can do anything when he finishes high school.”

“But what do you want?” she insisted.

“It’s his life, not mine. If he needs advice, I’m here, but I won’t push him to do something he clearly doesn’t want.”

In that moment, Justin wasn’t sure why he ever doubted Brian's love for the people in his life. He was the most selfless person in the world.

 

 

 

Chapter 12 by addict_writer

 

 

Justin knew he was stalling by postponing his conversation with Brian, but somehow getting involved again with him did wonders to his anxiety. Being in a relationship with Brian would be as easy as breathing, but when they would disagree on some matter and it would escalate into a fight, he knew Nick was going to suffer.

Besides finding excuses about not talking to Brian, both of them were extremely busy.

Brian was swamped in meetings and long hours at Kinnetik.

Justin had found a new gallery willing to show his paintings and even offered him a section to display his art in an upcoming show in June for Pride Month.

It was barely April, and Justin had never been so nervous to be part of a show.

Justin couldn’t sleep, and he used the energy he had left to complete one of Nick’s drawings for school.

“You’ll get an A plus for that,” Brian said from above him.

Justin laughed, glancing at him. “I swear, he didn’t inherit my talent in this department. But somehow he got hooked on music.”

“I heard him playing the piano. He’s okay.” Brian sat on the other side of the table. “Maybe don’t turn that pear into a piece of art, or his teacher will think Nick is a genius.”

Justin scowled, pushing away the paper and colored pencils.

“Can’t sleep?” Brian asked casually.

Ever since their fight and common agreement to be civil toward each other, everything had changed.

“It’s the full moon. You know I don’t sleep on such nights.”

“I had no idea you were part werewolf,” Brian joked.

Justin huffed, amused. He picked one of the pencils to shift his focus on something else other than Brian’s deep eyes.

“Does the offer to share a room still stand?”

“You decided to stop tormenting your child in his sleep?”

“It’s the other way round. He kicks worse than me.” Justin looked up to find Brian watching him amused. “This doesn’t mean anything…yet. I meant it when I said baby steps.”

Brian pushed his tongue in his cheek, rolling his eyes. “Do you want to date?”

“That’s not your style, and it’s not mine, either. Besides, we already know each other.”

“For a while there, I didn’t know you at all. You’ve recently started acting like the Justin I know.”

“Yeah, I don’t know…I put walls so it wouldn’t hurt.”

“Try reinforced fortifications.” Brian reached over to touch his hand. “It’s us, Justin. We’ll make it work.”

“We have to, because I can’t go through heartache anymore.”

“Let me show you I didn’t lie to your mother when I said I plan on changing my lifestyle.” Brian held up a finger when Justin was ready to protest. “Ever since you left for New York, I had reduced the number of tricks.”

“I figured that,” Justin mumbled, squeezing Brian's hand.

“After we broke up, I didn’t go out for about a month. My first trick was many weeks later, during one of my business meetings in Miami. Then, I came back and while I was holding the bar at Babylon, chatting with Emmett, I figured none of the men held any meaning to me. I took some of them to the Backroom, only to meet my primal needs or I would go crazy after having to deal with all the stress at work.”

“Jesus…I can’t believe this, but then again, I have come to understand some of the changes you were making back then were for you, as well.”

“At first, I did it all for you. I knew what you wanted, and I was willing to give it a try. I was aware I was going to fail at some point, but not as monumentally as I did.”

Justin had a clearer mind now, and he was in a good place mentally, ready to have a mature conversation with Brian about their break-up.

“Did you really allow that bear to fuck you?”

Brian winced. “I have no idea what it looked like to you, but I was doing the fucking. The other guy was…well, I have no fucking idea what he was doing, but he was definitely not fucking me.”

“Christ. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so insecure and crushed. And when you started telling me about branching out Kinnetik, it felt like another way to keep me in that mess we called a relationship.”

“It wasn’t a mess. We made it work pretty well.”

Justin shot him a skeptical look. “How many times did we cancel on each other about visits? Long distance relationships work…but not for us. We always had a more physical thing, admit it. The last time I spoke to Lindsay, not long after we broke up, she told me she expected the distance was going to affect our relationship.”

“And we proved her right,” Brian scoffed, pursing his lips.

Justin slipped his hand away from Brian's, linking his fingers on his lap, staring at the drawing of the pear. He sighed loudly, glancing at Brian, only to find him watching him curiously.

“I needed a familiar face …shit, that sounds terrible,” Justin cringed. “I really felt bad for Ethan, that’s why I took him with me to New York. My honest intention was to get him back on his feet. I had connections in the music world, too.”

“And you got more than you bargained for.”

“He had no idea how to thank me for saving him. I made my intention clear from the moment I offered to take him with me. I told him I only wanted to help.” Justin looked away, allowing tears of anguish to fill his eyes. “One night, some weeks after I brought him to New York, I got drunk at an after party for a small display of my paintings. It was a tiny section, part of a bigger show. When I got home, I told Ethan everything. I told him we were engaged to be married, then we cancelled the wedding and I moved to New York, but we tried to keep up pretense. I told him about how we broke up. He told me from that moment I was going to forgive you. Part of me knew that as well, but I’m stubborn.”

“Don’t I know?” Brian snorted.

“So I refused to allow myself to think of you. I cut off all my contact with everyone. I even believed starting a relationship with Ethan was a good idea. He was safe. I knew him, and I knew what to expect. I also told him if he dared to cheat on me, I was going to kick his ass straight to Central Park without any remorse.”

“Right,” Brian said slowly, remembering Justin's confession about the fiddler cheating on him being the reason why they had broken up.

Justin found Brian's eyes, and he held himself from crying at the realization of how stupid he had been. “I wasn’t happy. You were right. I fooled myself that was what I needed. I created this perfect life in my head, and sort of induced to myself that our life was unicorns and rainbows.”

“I figured as much.”

“Until we both managed to make names for ourselves, it was a struggle with the money, which triggered many fights. When you were brought up in conversation randomly, it turned into monstrous fights. I often left the studio and walked around aimlessly. During those times, the desire to call you and make amends was overwhelming. But then I reminded myself, I would be even more hurt in a relationship with you, so I returned to Ethan, and we both pretended the fight didn’t exist.” Justin ran a hand through his hair. “When we got married, we were the happiest. We had decent income by then, our relationship was strong, so I agreed to have a baby with him. In our bubble in New York, everything was perfect. My phone calls to Daphne were always like a wake-up call to reality, and I kept all our conversations brief. She loves to go in details and start talking about things I don’t really care. When she brought you or one of the boys in conversation, it was my cue to cut our calls.”

“He was convenient,” Brian said softly.

“I hate to admit it, but yes. Like a comfort blanket when you feel depressed.”

“I always told you apologies and excuses are not worth it. We both made mistakes. I hope we both learned from them, and now we can move on…carry on…without repeating history.”

Justin sniffed, wiping his eyes. “I hope so, too.”

Brian stood, extending his hand. “Let’s get some shut eye.”

Justin smiled, taking Brian’s hand. For him, it felt like he put his whole trust once again in the man in front of him.

Brian returned his smile, squeezing his hand. “I promise to not hurt you again.”

Justin swallowed thickly. “I trust you.”

“No, you don’t. Not yet.”

“I believe you,” Justin averted, laughing a little.

Brian opened the bedroom door, leading Justin inside. He left him by the bed, continuing to the adjoined bathroom.

Justin stood at the foot of the bed, staring at the rumpled sheets, before crawling on the left side. He was in the process of pulling the blanket on him when Brian joined him, rolling on his side and propping his head in his hand.

“What?” Justin stared at him warily. He was too close, and he hoped Brian didn’t expect sex, because Justin wasn’t ready for that step.

Brian smiled, tucking the blanket over Justin's shoulders. “I missed you.”

“I missed you, too. I missed this.”

Brian lowered on the bed. “Try not to hog the blanket,” he said playfully, pulling half of it over his body.

“I’ve learned to share.”

Brian didn’t believe him for a second, but gave him the benefit of the doubt until he would wake up in a few hours shivering.

#

Several hours later, Brian was the first to wake up. As he had predicted, Justin was wrapped in the blanket, curled on his side of the bed.

He had to lean over to check if Justin was awake, because judging by how tense his shoulders looked, Brian thought he was awake. To his surprise, Justin was fast asleep. Brian wasn’t sure how someone could be so tense while asleep, what sort of problems could cause such stress.

He had to find a way to relax Justin and regain his trust.

After brushing his teeth, Brian went to the guest room to check on Nick. The little boy was in a similar position to his father, though much more relaxed in his slumber.

While Brian prepared the coffee, Nick joined him, not entirely awake. He climbed on a chair, rubbing at his eyes.

It was only six-thirty.

“Why don’t you sleep some more?” Brian suggested.

“I can’t. Uh, where’s Daddy?”

“Still asleep,” Brian answered.

“He wasn’t in our bed.”

Brian winced, because they hadn’t discussed what they were going to tell Nick. “Because he was in mine.”

Nick’s eyes widened as he stared bewildered at Brian. “You finally listened to me.”

Brian laughed. Trust Justin's kid to be so blunt and believe he had played matchmaker for his dad.

“So, are you boyfriends now?” Nick seemed more alert and interested in their love life.

“I don’t know what you think happened, but it’s not like that,” Brian explained, sitting next to Nick at the table.

“So, tonight Daddy will sleep again with me?”

“Not necessarily.”

“Did you kiss at least?”

“Nicolas,” Justin gasped from the doorway, scandalized. He lifted a brow at Brian, unsure what he had walked on in.

“Daddy, is Brian your boyfriend now?” Nick skipped to Justin's side, taking one of his hand in both of his. “Are you moving into his bedroom?”

“Anything to get rid of me, I see,” Justin mumbled, going to fill a mug with coffee. He met Brian's eyes as he answered his son’s first question. “I guess you can say he is my boyfriend, though that term is juvenile.”

Nick huffed, folding his arms across his chest and turning to Brian. “You have to fix this. You said it’s not like that.”

Brian laughed. “I just had no idea where we stood. Nick played matchmaker. He thinks it’s his doing that we got together.”

“Is that so?” Justin laughed.

“Well, you both like, like each other. And I like Brian. And yes, I’m happy to have the bed to myself.”

“Oh, my God,” Justin wheezed. “I’m not awake enough to have this conversation with you.”

“You should eat something,” Brian suggested, going to get the cereal box.

“Not hungry.”

“Then go get ready for school. Oh, and take the drawing from the table.”

“Oh!” Nick hurried to pick the paper. “Cool! You’re awesome, Daddy. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Justin ruffled his son’s hair, watching amused as he ran out of the kitchen. He went to the chair Nick had vacated, slumping on it. “I’m so tired.”

“You should have slept more.”

“The sun was in my eyes.”

“Whose bright idea was to choose that room as the master bedroom? Oh, but imagine how beautiful it will be to watch the sunrise every morning,” Brian said mockingly.

“You should never listen to me.” Justin yawned loudly, placing his head over his folded arms on the table. “I call dibs on the right side of the bed.”

“No way in hell.”

“Come on. You always wake up early,” Justin protested.

“We just have to remember to close the drapes.”

“Mhmmm,” Justin hummed noncommittedly.

 

 

 

Chapter 13 by addict_writer

 

 

After dropping Nick off to school, Brian suggested they should stop by the diner for breakfast. He hoped to lift Justin's mood, after a phone call from the gallery he expected to have a deal with, telling him they had decided to go with someone else who complimented the main show’s style better. Justin had shown them several paintings of his, all different styles; besides, the gallery never mentioned the main show and who the painter was.

“Would you calm down? Why don’t you pay them a visit and ask about their main show? Maybe your style doesn’t match. It’s not the end of the world,” Brian complained.

“It is the end of the fucking world. At least, I had several paintings in a gallery in New York, which provided a steady income if I didn’t have commissions. Now I have absolutely nothing, and most of the savings have gone into relocating here and finding a school for Nick.”

“And when were you going to tell me you were tight?” Brian snapped, parking in the side alley near the dinner.

“The last thing I need is more loans from you.” Justin jumped out of the Jeep, slamming the door shut. “Look, I appreciate it, but I have to do this on my own.”

“Right. I’ve heard that before,” Brian commented, leading the way to the diner.

“I’m not going to repeat my mistakes. Besides, my days as a successful go-go boy have passed.” Justin plastered a smile on his face when Debbie greeted them at the door. “Good morning, Deb!”

“Hello, Sunshine. I’m impressed. You’re both still alive after living together for, what is it now…two months?”

“About nine weeks,” Justin replied with a smile. “Shit. Excuse me.” He took his ringing phone out of his coat.

“Make Mother Taylor proud in the way she brought you up,” Brian joked, making Justin flip him off, before answering his phone and stepping out of the diner.

“Is everything okay?” Debbie asked, concerned.

Brian shrugged, heading to an empty booth. “He’s trying to find a good gallery. I’m afraid to suggest the Center, but it might be his only option for now.”

“He started by displaying his drawing at the Center,” Debbie reminded him.

“Yeah. He was seventeen, back then. It was his best and only option. He’s thirty-three now, Deb. And I can’t help because I don’t have any connections in the art world.”

“And he wouldn’t accept your help,” she pointed out, looking out the window.

Brian glanced in the direction she was looking. Justin was pacing, gesticulating wildly with a hand, nearly knocking an unsuspecting man in the face. That near accident had him slumping on the rainbow bench, tugging at his hair while continuing his conversation.

“How about breakfast?” Brian suggested. “Just omelet and some coffee.”

“How are things with you two?” Debbie asked softly, standing close to Brian, a hand on his shoulder.

“I don’t remember ordering a morning session of therapy.”

“Brian, drop the bullshit.”

“We’re fine. As you already noticed, we haven’t killed each other yet. Funny thing is Nick is trying to hook us up.”

“Even a child can see how much you two thick-heads love each other.” She ruffled his hair, before heading to the kitchen.

Justin stormed inside a few moments later, throwing himself next to Brian. Brian shot him a curious look, because he didn’t expect Justin to sit so close to him so soon. But he scooted closer to the window, which made Justin realize what his instincts had made him do.

“I can’t stay much.”

“I already ordered something. You have to eat. How did it go?”

“This dickhead was amenable to have a meeting between me and his main show artist, who is coincidently going to the gallery in one hour.”

“Do you think you know this guy?”

“It’s supposed to be a new, young sensation. I’m ready to open his eyes about what a sleaze the gallery owner is and that by the time this show is over, he will be forgotten like yesterday’s socks.”

“Justin, just because the owner of this gallery has been an asshole to you, it doesn’t mean he is like that with everyone,” Brian tried to get Justin to think rationally.

“Kindly, stay out of topics you have no clue about. Do you remember how often I called you from New York about some gallery wanting to display me? I didn’t even get to have a show before they kicked me to the curb for a new name.”

“The art world is fickle, but once you make a name for yourself, it’s impossible not to have doors opening for you.”

“Like I said, in some circles. If I were known, do you really think I would have returned here?”

“Yes.” Brian met his eyes, watching as Justin's blue eyes darkened.

“Yes,” Justin agreed. “But more rich and without the fear of becoming a starving artist at the age of thirty.”

“Thirty-three,” Brian said gently.

“Fuck you.”

 

“I hope you remember that’s what the bathrooms are for. The scene in the diner is very PG rated,” Debbie said, returning with their food.

Justin's cheeks turned pink, as he opened his mouth, but no words came out.

“Don’t worry, Deb. We just touched a sensitive subject,” Brian chuckled.

“I hope it wasn’t Justin's dick under the table.”

“Christ. I forgot how chaotic it was to be in the same room with you,” Justin groaned. “Thank you,” he accepted the plate. “And, for your information, my age is not a sensitive subject. I never cared about it.”

“Right,” Brian said doubtfully. “And, it’s not our fault you lived with a prude.”

Justin kicked him under the table. “Ethan wasn’t a prude. He was a sensible person with common sense.”

“Booooring,” Brian yawned.

“I’m sure Brian didn’t want to sound so mean. He knows you’re still grieving,” Debbie said kindly.

“Hello, you started this conversation by suggesting I should take Justin to the bathroom,” Brian pointed out. “And stop making excuses for me. You sound like Saint Joan when she tried to apologize for some of my supposed bad behavior in front of her friends when I was a child. Oh, you have to excuse Brian, he didn’t mean to do that.

Debbie sat across from them, making the sign of the cross. “I thought you buried your hatred for her when you buried her two years ago.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “Do you want me to puke? I’m trying to eat.”

“What happened?” Justin asked softly. He knew the tense relationship between Brian and his mother, and how despite the tough façade, he was hurt by her rejection about who he is.

“Chronic alcoholism. It runs in family. With such parents, I’ll probably croak before I reach fifty.”

“Don’t say such things,” Justin chided him. “I already buried one husband. I don’t want to experience this again.”

“What did you say?” Debbie gasped. “What have you two done and didn’t tell us?”

Justin cut a piece of his omelet, meeting Debbie’s eyes. “Face it, we’re headed there.”

“To the grave?” Brian laughed.

“To marriage…in the very distant future.”

“Light years away,” Brian supplied, but he smiled at how relaxed Justin was when he spoke of this. Surprisingly, the concept of marrying Justin wasn’t as scary as it once had been. Brian was ready for that step – to create a life and a home with Justin.

“Fuck me,” Justin groaned when his phone buzzed from next to his plate. “I have to go. Later.” He leaned closer to peck Brian's cheek, paused for a moment, then hurried out the door.

“I don’t know what you are hiding, but whatever you’ve done, keep it up,” Debbie said encouragingly.

“We had a chat, and Justin confirmed pretty much everything I believed about his life in New York with the fiddler. Don’t tell the boys, because nothing happened, but like he said earlier, we’re headed there. We’re talking and we plan to make it work this time.”

“I’m so happy, Brian. You both deserve happiness. If you ever need a sitter, I’ll be more than happy to keep Nick for a sleepover.” She winked.

“That kid is clearly Justin's son. He pestered me with questions about whether I liked his dad, and he told me his dad was happier and smiled more since they moved in with me, so he told me I should hook up with his dad.”

Debbie laughed, a light smile lingering on her face. “What’s the plan?”

Brian shrugged, downing his coffee. “Justin slept in our bed last night, but only because Nick kicked him out of the bed in the guestroom. And Nick was overjoyed this morning to hear he was rid of Justin. I can’t say I missed the way he hogs the blanket, but we’ll figure something.”

“Maybe I shouldn’t tell you, but the boys had a bet about how soon you’d get back together.”

“Of course, they did.”

“No one has won. I think they even lost hope. They expected you to fall into each other’s arms within the week, and the longest timeframe was a month.”

“It’s good to know I keep disappointing everyone.” Brian stood, placing several bills in front of Debbie, more than their meals cost. “I have to be in the office. How long did Theodore bet on our reunion?”

“I think it was two weeks. He joined on their bet later.”

“Good. I’m about to hand him the two weeks’ notice,” Brian said cheerfully, heading out the diner.

All the way to work, Brian thought of what Debbie had said. Both him and Justin deserved happiness, and Brian was sure neither of them had been as happy as when they had been together. They never had the smoothest and best relationship, but they had always been happy.

He found Cynthia in his office, which was not that uncommon. The fact that she had a stack of papers on his desk, was also not something unheard of. But the wary look on her face meant trouble, for sure.

“Morning,” Brian said in greeting, taking a seat in his chair.

“Morning, Brian.”

“What’s here?” He pulled the papers closer. “I had no idea we were hiring,” he said, confused, staring at the bunch of resumes.

“You either find me an assistant to help, or I’m done. And this time I’m not joking,” Cynthia said seriously.

Brian stared at her, worried, over the top of the papers. “Who pissed in your coffee?”

“Since we branched out to Chicago, I’m swamped. It’s a miracle I remembered about your lunch meeting on Friday, since there was no event created in the email calendar.”

“Is this because I sent Jane to Chicago?”

“How did you guess?” she sneered.

“Okay, okay. I see you took the time to select a few resumes. Who do you like?”

Cynthia pulled the papers closer, ruffling through them. “This guy. He’s young, finished college last year. Think about it. I can teach him everything I know, and we’ll be a power team.”

“Zero experience. As you said, you’re swamped. When would you have the time to teach him?”

“He says he’s a quick learner. He can assist in all my daily activities.”

“Cynthia, the quick learner and great team player are the best lies anyone can put in a resume.”

“Please, Brian. It’s worth a shot.”

“All yours. Call him. Talk to Ted. As long as he’s good and does the job, he stays.” Brian opened his laptop, effectively dismissing his assistant.

He should have expected chaos when he sent half of the company over to Chicago. Some of his best people from the Art Department, an account manager, and Jane. She had been Cynthia’s right hand for the past few years, and Brian could see how much Cynthia struggled since Jane had been relocated.

He got sucked in his daily tasks, so when the chair across from his desk scrapped against the floor, he startled, turning to snap at whoever decided to interrupt him.

Justin had a bag of take-out food and a sheepish smile.

“I said ‘hi’, but I figured you were ignoring me.”

“I didn’t hear a thing,” Brian admitted. He glanced at the time on his screen, and was surprised to see it was already one in the afternoon. “How did the meeting go?”

Justin smiled widely, taking a seat and starting to take food out.

“Let’s use the coffee table.” Brian guided him to the couch. His back was stiff for sitting hunched over for hours while he poured over research for his latest advertisement.

“You wouldn’t believe what a small world it is! This guy who has the main show, he’s someone I know.”

“Well, you met quite a few people while you were trying to make it here in Pittsburgh.”

“He wasn’t an artist when we met. At least, I don’t think so. He says I inspired him to become one.” Justin grinned, opening the cardboard boxes containing the best Thai food in town. “You see, he was one of my tricks.”

Brian laughed loudly. “That’s something that never happened to me.”

“Shut up. It was mortifying.” Justin covered his face with his palms. “I went in there thundering, ready to find out who this high and mighty person was. I start complaining, when he stops me and greets me by my name, offering his hand. I didn’t remember his face immediately, but when he asked if I remembered him…it took me a moment.”

“This could only happen to you, I swear.”

Justin dug into one of the boxes, wincing. “I know, that’s exactly what I was thinking. But he’s cool, and he even talked to the gallery owner and the curator about giving me more room to display my art. Now I have to create at least two more paintings to fit the theme.”

“I’m sure you’ll come up with something. There’s time until June.”

“And I have to visit my favorite store in town. I have to get all the vibrant colors to be able to do these paintings.”

“What’s the theme?” Brian ask, taking a bite from his dish.

“Pride, I already told you, like ten times.”

“And what do you plan to draw? The rainbow flag?” Brian rolled his eyes.

“I thought I only shared my brain with Michael, but of course, Rage has mind-control powers,” Justin laughed.

“It was a joke,” Brian drawled.

“You’ll see. It’s not what you’re thinking, but the painting will represent the rainbow and freedom.”

“Did I ever mention what a scary place your head is?”

“A couple hundred times only.”

Theodore came through the side entrance, not seeing them on the couch. He had his head bent over a piece of paper in his hands. “When do you want this Damien guy? Brian?” Ted looked around, and gasped when he spotted Brian and Justin on the couch, eating and engaged in an easy conversation.

“Hi, Ted,” Justin said, partially swallowing his bite.

“Damien?” Brian repeated, relaxing back on the couch.

Ted waved the paper. “You talked to Cynthia about him. Do you still want him? He’s as inexperienced as they get.”

Brian snorted. “I love virgins, didn’t you know?”

Justin choked on his food, which prompted Brian to thump his back.

“On a serious note, you should ask Cynthia. I only want the job done.”

“You have to do the hiring, not Cynthia. She can be there during the interview, but it’s professional—”

“Spare me. You and Cynthia do it. But I don’t want to hear her complaining about him being too slow or deserting when it gets rough. We both know how many kids we hired, only for them to hand in their resignation in a few weeks or months.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll talk to her. Good to see you, Justin.”

“You too,” Justin called after Ted, who retreated. “That was rude.”

“You’re the only virgin I had,” Brian said seriously.

“I meant about the way you acted as if you didn’t care about your new hire. Though, the comment about virgins was no less rude.”

“Jesus, you’re on a roll today.”

Justin ducked his head. “Too little sleep and too much coffee do wonders to me.”

“Don’t I know it?” Brian cringed. “Do you have to go home early?”

“I’ll go to buy supplies for my paintings then get Nick from school. He has to stay longer today for some group thing. Meet you back here at five?”

“That works. You can take the car. Keys are somewhere on my desk.” Brian waved toward his desk, as he went to the adjoined bathroom.

When he returned, he expected to find Justin gone, but he was standing by his desk, holding a picture frame in his hands. He glanced up when Brian stopped next to him.

It was a picture of the two of them. They didn’t have many pictures together, and that one had been a sample for the wedding.

Justin placed the frame back, taking a shaky breath. “It’s me. I’m afraid I’m going to fuck up, because if you think about it…it’s always been me who broke us up, one way or another.”

Brian cupped his shoulder, bringing him closer, hugging him tightly. “Trust yourself. Forget your insecurities, and have faith.”

“I do,” Justin mumbled.

“I thought we were saving the declarations for many light years away.”

Justin laughed softly, pulling away. “I’ll be back later to pick you up.”

 

 

Chapter 14 by addict_writer

 

 

After Justin picked Nick from school, they went to the painting supplies store, and Justin was surprised the old sales lady remembered him. He lost track of time, getting sucked in checking every color, different types of brushes, several sketch pads, and more blank canvas papers.

It was after five when they left the store with two big bags. Nick forgot about complaining about this boring shopping trip when Justin got him new Crayola pens.

When they arrived at Kinnetik, Ted intercepted him, saying the last meeting was running late.

“And you aren’t in there with him?” Justin asked.

“I only fill-in for him when he can’t make it to some meeting. Besides, that hasn’t happened in a while. Now he has a minion to do the job if he doesn’t want to attend some meeting.”

“Of course, he does,” Justin laughed. “You can go and sit on that couch, over there. Brian isn’t ready to go yet,” he added to Nick.

Nick huffed, but sulked to the couch in the entry hallway. He picked one of the magazines, looking through it.

“He’s a good kid,” Ted commented.

“He has his moments. But compared to what I remember Molly to be at his age, he’s a saint.”

“What about you? After all, he’s your kid.”

Justin shrugged. “He takes a lot after me, and you know what a stubborn dick I used to be. But yeah, he’s usually quiet and well-behaved.” He watched, amused, as Cynthia went over to Nick to offer him an apple. Nick shook his head wildly, glancing at Justin, who waved for him to go ahead and accept the food. Nick refused to take the fruit, and Cynthia left it on the coffee table, before she joined them.

“Hi, Cynthia. Don’t take it personally. He took to heart our lesson about not accepting anything from strangers,” Justin joked.

“Well, that’s good,” Ted agreed.

“Sometimes, people just want to help. He’s old enough now to understand not everyone is out there to hurt him.”

“How old is he?” Cynthia asked, turning to see Nick taking the apple and carefully biting into it.

Justin gasped, realized how the time had flown. “He’ll be six in May. Shit. It’s his birthday in about a month.”

“I’m sure Emmett would love to help,” Ted said softly.

“No, I mean that’s great. I also just realized it will be Brian's birthday, too. They’re, like, a few days apart.”

“Aw, how sweet,” Ted chuckled.

“Speaking of…” Cynthia nodded in the direction behind Justin.

He turned in time to see Brian leading a sharp dressed man out of the meeting room, chatting jovially. He lifted a brow at the trio, but barely had time to say goodbye to the man next to him when Nick barreled at him. The little boy collided with his legs, hugging him tightly.

“Nick,” Justin groaned. “Can’t you see Brian is busy?” He went to get his son, but Brian pulled the boy up in his arms, finishing his conversation with his client.

“It’s alright, Justin,” he said softly. Then he turned to this client, “I’ll give you a call as soon as we have the mock-ups ready.”

“Of course. Thank you, Brian. You just saved me from deep shit.”

“Serves you right for thinking cheap is good,” Brian drawled.

“Yeah, I’ve learned my lesson now.” The man nodded to Brian, then to Justin, before he left.

Once the front door was shut, Brian went to Cynthia, towering over her. “I hate cleaning after other idiots’ messes. Next time he wants to give me a rim job, he better do it correctly. This is the last time I take handouts and supposed faithful clients who believe Gardner can shit rainbows for less dough than me.”

“He didn’t tell me where he had gone for his ad.”

“Next time, I’m the first choice, or no choice at all,” Brian demanded. “Let’s go. I’m starving.”

Justin hurried after him after a hasty goodbye to Ted and Cynthia, attempting to take Nick from his arms. Brian stopped at the back door of his Jeep.

“Stay in front with Daddy,” Nick said seriously, climbing on the bench.

“Okay, Boss,” Brian laughed, closing the door and turning to open the passenger door.

Justin was standing right there watching him with emotion in his eyes. Then he threw his arms around Brian, hugging him tightly. “Before you ask, I don’t know what got over me.”

Brian chuckled, rubbing Justin's back. “Want me to drive?”

Justin only nodded, pulling away. He cleared his throat as he attempted to get rid of the tears in his eyes while he got in the passenger seat.

Brian got behind the wheel, turning to Justin. “I need the key.”

“Right,” he said, distracted, pulling it from his pocket.

“Should we stop at some take-out place?” Brian asked, backing out from the alley.

“I can cook something. Now the kitchen is fully stocked, like I want it.”

“If you’re not too tired.”

“I’d rather feed Nick home-cooked meals,” Justin explained.

“I don’t mind fast food,” Nick quipped.

Justin scowled, because getting fast food was Nick and Ethan’s thing, especially when Justin needed the house quiet so he could paint.

“Brian meant actual food, bought from a restaurant, not terrible fast-food,” he said, groaning.

“I want fast food for my birthday.”

“If you think I’m going to feed you something so atrocious, think again.”

“But it will be for my birthday,” Nick protested. “Pappy used to take me to KFC whenever I wanted.”

Justin threw his arms up, trying not to start screaming at his son. He had to play that card.

“Maybe…for one day, it won’t do any harm,” Brian said quietly. “I don’t like sweets, but I usually indulge in cake on my birthday.”

“I’ll think about it.” Justin folded his arms across his chest. He had to talk to Emmett about Nick’s birthday, because he planned on throwing him a small party. Not needing catering, and buying some fast food menus, it might be cheaper. “I’ll need Emmett's number.”

Brian handed him his phone. “The passcode is Gus’s birthday.”

As Justin typed in the code, he realized Gus was fifteen. And Justin also realized he knew Brian for just as long.

“Can’t find it? I think he’s Honeycutt in my agenda,” Brian said, thinking Justin had difficulty in finding Emmett's number.

“No, I just realized…we know each other for fifteen years.”

“Yeah, just last Christmas, Mikey had to emphasize we’ve been friends for thirty years. It didn’t make me feel ancient or anything.”

Justin gasped, before he started laughing. “I beat you to the longest friendship. I know Daph since we were, like, one year old.”

“It’s mind-boggling our anniversary is the day my son was born.”

“That was the day we met. We’ve established our anniversary to be April sixteenth – the day we wanted to get married.”

“You chose that,” Justin said, amused. “We should have at least five different anniversaries by now. I always considered our day the day we met. It holds even more meaning since it’s the day Gus was born.”

“Okay, I see your point. You mentioned Nick’s birthday is coming soon. When is that?”

Justin grimaced, because for him that date held no other meaning besides the day his son was born. Brian most-likely hated the day. “A few days after your birthday,” Justin answered.

“Now, how wholesome would it have been if he were born on the same day as me?” Brian laughed. “It’s still mind-boggling you and Ben share the same birthday.”

“Right…”

Justin didn’t take into account that Nick was paying close attention to their conversation, or that he liked Brian so much that he felt comfortable to share everything with him.

“It’s May twenty-six,” Nick said loudly.

Brian's eyes shot to the rearview mirror, and only his quick reflexes got the car back on the correct lane when he managed to swerve on the opposite lane. Slowly, Brian met Justin's eyes, and he found them filled with anxiety.

“I didn’t want to tell you,” he mumbled.

Brian cleared his throat, focusing on the road, but all he could think of was the fact that Justin's child was born on the day he had almost lost Justin many years ago.

Justin reached over to touch Brian's elbow. “I didn’t even realize the connection until I mentioned it to Daphne. She thinks it’s cute.”

“What was I saying about wholesome? This is uncanny,” Brian commented.

“I don’t care. Yes, I remember everything now,” Justin said with a smile. “Even the parts I wish I didn’t…like getting ready in Michael’s old room and then Debbie and Mom cooing over me. May twenty-six will always mean one thing only for me – Nick’s birthday.”

“I’m afraid I can’t share your views, but I will try to see the bright side of that day.”

“What happened on my birthday that you don’t like?” Nick asked loudly, leaning between the front seats.

“We’ll tell you another time,” Justin said quietly. “When you’re older.”

Brian shot him a hard look, because he doubted Justin would keep that promise. And Nick was likely to remember this promise since it was so important to him.

#

At home, Nick requested Brian's help to assist him during his shower, while Justin worked on dinner.

When they finally joined Justin, Nick filled the time with talking about his day at school and how impressed his teacher was with his drawing.

By the time the food was ready, Nick had lost some of his exuberance, as weariness installed in his body.

“Since we talked about your birthday, what do you want? And don’t say fast food,” Justin commented when Nick polished his plate.

Nick shrugged, looking forlorn.

“Hey, buddy. We can do anything you want that day. If you miss New York, we can have a day trip to the city,” Justin suggested enthusiastically.

Brian expected Nick’s answer, and sadly there had been no time to warn Justin. It was laughable how Justin couldn’t see what Nick wanted the most.

“And if I miss Pappy?” Nick’s sarcastic voice made Justin choke on his mouthful of risotto. “Surprise me. Good night.”

Justin opened his mouth to stop his son, but he wasn’t sure what to say.

You’re not excused.

Don’t use that tone with me.

We had this conversation before, you can’t have Pappy back.

“Fuck,” Justin spat, pushing his plate away. His stomach was doing weird flips.

“I’m not sure how you didn’t expect this answer.”

“He hasn’t mentioned Ethan in weeks.”

“That doesn’t mean he forgot about him. If you want to take him to New York for his birthday, let me know. I’d like to come with you, if you want that…” Brian wasn’t used to feeling insecure. Only Justin could make him experience all emotions under the sky.

“Let me talk to Emmett about the party. Hell, I have to find out what friends Nick has made and to invite them, too. But I’d really like to go back for a visit. If not on his birthday, then another day.”

“You should go and check on Nick. That’s not normal behavior.”

“I know. He was getting better,” Justin mumbled. “I really don’t want to take him to therapy. I’ve been searching the internet about how I should act, what I should say…I’m failing miserably, apparently.”

“Kids don’t come with an instruction manual, Justin. And there is no right or wrong in such situations. You tend not to think rationally because you’re in pain, too. You think only about your pain, but he’s hurting too.”

“When did you become so wise?” Justin got up and went to stand by Brian’s chair. He reached out a tentative hand to cup Brian's cheek. “And you’re right, of course.”

Brian intertwined their fingers on his cheek, before lowering Justin's hand to kiss the center of his palm. “Go. Just remember, who gets last in bed, gets the sun in his eyes in the morning.”

Justin grimaced. “Here, I was about to comment that you’re such a romantic.”

“I don’t want the sun in my eyes in the morning.”

Justin laughed, and Brian joined him. Then Brian slapped his ass playfully, wordlessly sending him to check on Nick.

Justin found a mess in the guest bedroom, and for a wild moment he thought Nick wanted to pack their clothes. Then he found the reason why clothes were thrown around.

Nick was curled on a side of the bed, holding a toy turtle, crying crocodile tears. Ethan had bought that turtle for him a couple years ago, and it was one of Nick’s most treasured toy.

It broke Justin's heart to see his son so sad, and he had no idea how to help.

“Nick…” he said softly, crawling behind him on the bed. He cuddled his son close, kissing his head. “I’m sorry for what I said.”

“I’m not stupid, I get it,” Nick hiccupped. “I think…

Justin combed his fingers through Nick’s golden locks. “I’ve run out of ways how to explain to you what happened. As much as you claim you understand…you don’t. Maybe…someone else could explain to you.”

“Brian did.” Nick rolled around, big tears falling from his eyes. “Pappy has gone to God.”

Justin thought he was better, too, but hearing Nick saying such things with his innocence made tears spring into his eyes. “That’s true. But I didn’t mean Brian. Someone else…someone paid to help people going through such life events.”

“A stranger?” Nick gasped.

“You’ll make friends first. Only if you want. They will help you understand the situation better.”

“I’m okay for now.”

No, you’re not, Justin thought sadly. “When you decide, let me know.”

“Are you going to sleep with Brian again?”

“Do you want me to? I could stay here with you.”

“I think you should go,” Nick said seriously.

Justin smiled, leaning to kiss Nick’s forehead. “Good night, kiddo.”

“I love you.”

Justin returned the words, heading out the room blinded by tears. He took a deep breath, before continuing down the hallway.

He was overwhelmed by memories of choosing the master bedroom, skipping down this hallway while holding Brian's hand. It felt like several lifetimes had passed since then.

 

 

Chapter 15 by addict_writer

 

 

Brian took his time in the shower to allow Justin to come to bed and choose whatever side he wanted. When he left the bathroom, Justin was just coming through the door. He looked like he had cried, but Brian expected as much after having another delicate conversation with his son.

Justin froze for a moment, his eyes dropping to the towel around Brian's waist, then he looked at the bed.

They had equal distance to the bed, and they broke into a run at the same time, but Brian had longer legs. Before he could sit on his usual side, Justin tackled him, somehow making both of them fall to the floor.

“Shit. Ooops.” Justin sat up on his knees, rubbing his shoulder.

“Fuck you, Sunshine.”

“You know I’m a sore loser.”

“I have a sore ass to attest to it,” Brian muttered, getting up. He held his hand down for Justin to pull him up. “All yours.” He gestured to the right side of the bed.

“Wait.” Justin stopped him, tugging him back. “This is your side. I’m sure I won’t be able to fall asleep here even if we switched.”

“What about the sun in your eyes, dear?” Brian mocked.

“I’ve noticed you shut the drapes. Thank you.” Justin dropped Brian's hands and rounded the bed. He took off his clothes until he was down to his underwear.

They met on top of the mattress as Brian once again pulled the blanket over their bodies. Brian turned his head away, allowing Justin's body heat to relax him enough to fall asleep. He almost succeeded when Justin flopped around, turning the nightstand lamp on.

“What exactly are we doing?” Justin sat up, bundling the blanket on his lap.

“I’m trying to fall asleep.”

“How can you? Don’t you feel this…” He gesticulated wildly. “I don’t know…it’s like a tension.”

“That’s you. I’m not sure when it’s the last time you fucked, but you’re more wound up than a spring.”

“You know when I last fucked,” Justin spat.

“Right. Your little sexcapade at Babylon. It didn’t do the trick.”

“We settled that.” Justin stared at Brian, not ready to say more than he was ready to actually do.

Brian bent one of his arms behind his head, peering at Justin, who seemed to have an internal struggle. A muscle jumped in Justin's cheek, before he laughed quietly.

“I know this word brought our demise…but I need you to hold me.”

Brian gasped theatrically. “You want to cuddle?” he stage-whispered.

“I tried to avoid that specific word.”

“Come here.” He opened his arms, and after switching the light off, Justin snuggled against Brian's chest, facing the window. “You’re a twat, you know that?”

Justin clutched at Brian's arms holding his tightly. “I needed this. I always felt safe in your arms.”

“Because you’ll always be safe with me,” Brian promised, daring to press his lips to Justin's naked shoulder. His skin was so soft, and he smelled of what they ate at dinner since he hadn’t showered.

Justin rubbed his thumb over Brian's forearm. “I love you.” Not a moment after his confession, he became lax in Brian's arms, making Brian wonder if he had been fully awake when he spoke.

“I love you, too,” Brian admitted against Justin's neck, kissing the spot behind his ear.

“I know.” Justin's reply made Brian startle. He hadn’t expected Justin to be awake.

This was the most relaxed Justin had been around him since his return.

#

“Hi,” Justin said meekly. “I’m so sorry I’m thirty minutes late, Emmett.”

“Well, good morning! What happened to you?”

“You wouldn’t believe me. Let me get some coffee.” He hurried inside the small cafe place.

It was a week since his and Brian’s late night confession, and Justin knew it was on him to make the proverbial first move, because Brian had respectied his boundaries…until earlier that morning.

.

.

.

It was the first morning since he had moved into the master bedroom when Justin woke up before Brian. He knew he shouldn’t be surprised to find Brian wrapped around him, because that was how they had fallen asleep since Justin had told him about wanting to be held. And it shouldn’t have been a surprise to feel Brian’s morning wood digging into his ass.

Before Justin could ruin what they were building by jumping on Brian’s dick, he closed himself in the bathroom.

His plan to jerk off in peace didn’t last for more than two minutes.

Brian joined him unabashed and unashamed, as if they had done that every morning. Many years ago, sure. Recently? They were trying for a record about how fast they could become monks.

“Morning,” Brian mumbled, reaching over to grab his shower gel.

“Uh, couldn’t you wait five minutes?” Justin kept his back to him, gripping the base of his dick, unsure what to do. He needed to come like nothing else.

“What, were you jerking off? You were,” he said slowly. To make matters worse for Justin, Brian leaned closer, his chest touching Justin’s back as he peered over Justin’s shoulder. “My, what a glorious sight.”

“Brian…” he warned quietly.

But Brian slapped his hand away from his dick, taking matters in his hands. Justin sagged into his chest, wrapping an arm around Brian’s neck and slapping his other hand to the wet tile.

“Relax. It’s just a handjob,” Brian said into his ear.

Justin pushed his ass back into Brian’s obvious erection. It made Brian grip his hip as he groaned loudly.

“Fuck, Justin.”

“Yes…fuck Justin,” Justin laughed breathily. “I need you.”

“I’m not going to fuck you for the first time in the shower. This is just for you. I want to see you relax.”

Justin moaned loudly, resting his head back on Brian’s shoulder. “Feels so goood.”

“This is so hot,” Brian breathed into his ear.

.

.

.

Justin was shaken from his reverie by the barista handing him the coffee, warning him it was hot. Clearly, not as hot as his shower that morning.

Justin had abandoned Brian in the shower not long after he came undone because they could hear Nick calling for them.

That was when Justin knew he was going to be late. They had overslept, then the fun in the shower hadn’t helped matters in getting ready faster for their day.

Brian had dropped Justin off at the corner of the street where he was supposed to meet Emmett, before he continued to Nick’s school. 

Justin sat next to Emmett, patting his pockets for the smokes. It took him a moment to remember he had left them in the Jeep when Brian wanted a cigarette earlier.

“What did you lose?” Emmett asked curiously.

“My smokes. Fuck it.” Justin took a sip from his coffee, leaning back in the chair. “Am I keeping you from work? As much as I want to talk business, I could use a friend.”

“All yours, baby. How are things with Brian? I heard you decided to stay with him, after all.”

“Yeah, it would be counterproductive to uproot Nick from a place he feels safe. He barely understands what’s going on, as it is.” Justin ran a hand through his hair. “Just the other day, he had another meltdown about Ethan.”

“Well…Ethan was his other dad.”

“I know, and I’m starting to believe Brian. Nick needs to talk to someone who can help him. Obviously, I’m failing miserably. Like Brian said a few days ago, I see it only from my perspective and my pain is not the same as Nick’s.”

“So, you’re looking for a therapist?”

“Not yet, but if there is another random meltdown over some silly thing, I will.”

Emmett nodded. “I see Brian is involved in helping with your son.”

Justin chuckled. “Nick adores him, which is still amazing to me. But I probably told him too much about Brian for Nick to see him as a stranger.”

“You told your son about Brian?” Emmett repeated, intrigued.

“I mentioned him in the past,” Justin explained, not ready to go into details about how such comments about Brian led to fights with Ethan.

“How do you feel about their friendship?”

“I’m happy he trusts Brian so much. Maybe too much,” Justin said, amused. “He decided to play matchmaker.”

“No way!” Emmett gasped, staring worried at his friend.

Justin scratched the nape of neck nervously. “He’s been over the moon to have the bed to himself ever since I moved into the master bedroom with Brian.”

Emmett’s eyes widened. “You and Brian….”

“We’re working on repairing our relationship. As shocking as it may be, we haven’t fucked yet. Hell, we haven’t even kissed which sometimes makes me think if we’ve turned into a couple of monks.”

“I can’t believe it!”

“Well, it’s true,” Justin said defensively.

Emmett pointed to something behind Justin. When Justin turned to check what grabbed Emmett’s attention, he found Brian strolling their way, his forgotten box of cigarettes in his hand.

“Your son insisted I should bring these to you. Good morning, Emmett.”

“Isn’t he a sweetheart?” Justin laughed nervously. He took the box, shaking out a cigarette.

Brian aided him with a lighter. “I’m not leaving my zippo with you.”

Justin pouted. “Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it. If you need the car, let me know.”

“I’m going by the gallery after I’m done here with Emmett. I’ll let you know.”

Brian nodded, then bent to kiss Justin’s forehead. And then he was gone.

“Are you sure you’re not back together? That looked a hell lot like a relationship interaction.”

“I think we are…but we’re both walking on eggshells. I’m afraid we won’t be able to go at this pace much more, and instead of doing the steady thing, we’ll dive head first into fucking.”

“And that’s a bad idea, how? I haven’t seen Brian at Babylon which means…”

“Yeah, I know.”

Justin tried not to feel ashamed about his lapse of judgment and his lack of self-control during his trip to Babylon that night, not long ago.

“Did you tell him about your trip to Babylon?”

“I’m sure you explained to him how much I misbehaved that night. Anyway, it was then when we commonly agreed to try again.”

“I didn’t tell him anything. He thanked me for bringing you home safely, though.”

Justin grimaced, not ready to revisit the events of that night.

He focused on savoring his cigarette since it would be his last until he found a store to buy a lighter.

“Tell me what party you had in mind. Just remember Brian’s thirtieth birthday, before you plan something extravagant,” Emmett said in warning.

“Actually, I want to throw Nick a party. His birthday is three days after Brian’s. I want something small.”

“Oh, that’s so precious! I love throwing parties for kids. Though, I rarely get to do them these events.”

“Don’t go crazy. Just a few kids from school and us. Against my better judgement, the venue can be a fast food place.”

“I know of some cool places for children’s birthdays.”

“No, it has to be a fast food place. He won’t expect me to support what he and Ethan believed to be healthy bonding time.”

Emmett’s eyes filled with tears. “Oh, the poor darling. Of course, baby. So a few kids and their parents. And by us, you mean…”

“Brian and me. Maybe we can have a barbecue or something for Brian’s birthday…bring the whole family over. We haven’t talked about it yet. We’re both busy.”

“Okay. I’ll start searching and let you know what I have by the end of the day.”

“Next week is fine, too. It’s Friday. I’m sure you have plans.”

Emmett grinned widely. “As a matter of fact, I do. It so happened that when Drew and I took you home, it was our first date night. You must remember how I set him free and told him to return to me when he was mature enough.”

“No way! That took him ten years? I had no idea. Fuck, now I really feel like a tool for ruining your night.”

“You didn’t. We had been talking since New Year and we decided to meet at Babylon that night.”

“I hope you’re at a different base than us,” Justin joked.

“It’s hard to believe Brian can abstain for so long.”

“Not really. You all have a very wrong opinion about him.”

Justin was tired of defending Brian in front of his friends. They had a misconceived opinion about how he operated. Not even Michael knew him as well as Justin did.

“We all know how he is,” Emmett commented.

“You don’t really.”

“Okay, maybe he’s changed, but it’s all for you. We’ve noticed many little changes over the years, and of course, you know better since you actually lived with him.”

“Maybe he changed for himself. He grew up a lot. Brian has definitely made some changes, but they all benefited him. He understood that changing for me only pushed me away. Look what happened when we were engaged. It drove me to New York, and if I had stayed we would have been miserable. We ended up being miserable anyway, but that’s beside the point.”

“Well, I’m happy you’re making it work.” Emmett smiled brightly.

 

“So am I.”

End Notes:

Thoughts on the development?

Chapter 16 by addict_writer

 

 

Justin's errands in town had him arriving at the diner close to six in the evening.

After visiting the gallery, he decided to go to Michael’s store and kill some time. They got talking, and when Ben came to ask if Michael was ready to head home, Justin realized he had completely forgotten to pick Nick from school. A phone call to Brian let him know he had Nick, and they were waiting for him at the diner.

Michael and Ben accompanied Justin, much to Justin's chagrin. He knew Michael tagged along only to see him interacting with Brian. Something had stopped Justin from confessing to Michael that he and Brian were working on rebuilding their relationship.

“Daddy, you made it,” Nick exclaimed when Justin stepped into the diner. Several heads turned to see who the child’s father was.

But being in the center of the attention was the least of Justin's worries. Nick seemed to be alone at the back booth. Brian was nowhere in sight.

“Hey, buddy. Is Brian around?” Justin asked.

Nick pointed to the bathroom in time for Justin to see a twink leaving that room in tears. He even told the guy headed inside that the lavatory was out of commission.

Justin wasn’t sure if he should cheer the fact that Brian wasn’t turning into a monk, or strangle him for leaving Nick all alone while he went to get his rocks off in the bathroom.

“I thought he had more tact,” Michael commented, sitting across Nick.

Just then Brian stormed out, cursing at the guy who had entered the bathroom despite the twink’s warning. He stopped abruptly when he saw Justin, then he continued to the door, keeping his phone pressed to his ear.

“What was that?” Ben asked, clearly confused.

“Something’s wrong,” Justin said slowly, watching Brian out the window.

He silently berated himself for entertaining the thought of Brian fucking some guy in there while he was supposed to keep an eye on Nick. Justin knew Brian better than that.

“Brian said many bad words, before he went to the bathroom. I think he was hiding from me to be able to curse,” Nick offered.

“We’ll find out what happened when he’s done. Did you greet our friends?” Justin finally sat next to his son, but kept his eyes on Brian. He was clearly shouting in the phone, and everyone gave him a wide berth as they passed him on the street.

Michael waved at Nick, while Ben asked about his day.

Justin was trying to figure out if Brian had even ordered anything, when Brian joined them. He looked ready to spit fire.

“We need a babysitter. I have to be at Babylon and you’re coming with me.”

“Uh, what happened? I could ask Mom, but I think she’s working late.”

“Or you could ask my mom,” Michael pointed out.

“That’s not a bad idea.” Brian smiled at his friend.

“Yeah, she did offer to help us…Let me call her,” Justin said, pulling his phone out.

“No time for a phone call. If you come by the club, be sure to be on your best behavior,” Brian told Michael and Ben.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Michael laughed.

“The inspection planned for next week decided to come early. I know there were still several maintenance issues scheduled to be repaired on Monday. Just my fucking luck. They want to see it on a Friday night in all its glory.” Brian rolled his eyes.

“Then maybe we shouldn’t be there,” Ben said quietly.

“A pair of Stepford husbands is exactly what I need. You could outshine the usual crowd with your good behavior. Come on. They arrive at eight.” Brian urged Justin to get a move.

Justin had forgotten how it was to be thrown into action because during his former relationships with Brian, he was used to expect the unexpected. With Ethan, they had everything planned out to the dot weeks in advance, and to take important decisions, they discussed everything in details.

“What are you worried about?” Justin dared to ask once when they were in the car.

“You know what. I have to track the drug dealers and send them to Poppers. And I need Tom to be extra careful with the fake IDs and twinks sneaking into the club.”

“I thought Tom did a superb job at keeping away twinks. I hear he sends them all to Boytoy.”

Brian laughed, managing to relax a tad. Only Justin could make him laugh when he was so stressed he was ready to snap.

They parked in front of Debbie’s house, and walked to the door.

Carl was the one to answer, and Justin was surprised, though it shouldn’t be such a shock. Carl lived there, too.

“Hello, guys! Deb, you have visitors,” he called over his shoulder.

Debbie arrived in the hallway, just as Justin crouched to Nick’s level, about to explain he had to stay with their friend. It would be the first time he left him with a stranger. At least, someone Nick considered a stranger.

“I don’t need a babysitter,” Nick mumbled, pouting.

“We are going to be busy for a few hours. You’re safe with Debbie and Carl. They are our friends. You’ve met Debbie before.”

Justin could hear Brian explaining their emergency to Debbie, but he was focused on calming Nick’s nerves.

“How soon will you be back?” Nick inquired.

Justin glanced up at Brian, and as he had expected, it would be an overnight thing. Brian only had to press his lips tightly for Justin to understand his unspoken answer.

“Tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” Nick gasped, tears pooling into his eyes. “Like when you and Pappy were busy and I stayed with Jesse?”

“Exactly.” Justin beamed, because he hadn’t thought of that association. He stood, keeping a hand on his son’s shoulder. “I’m sorry to drop this on your head, Deb.”

“Don’t worry, Sunshine. I’d love to get to know your Little Sunshine better.”

“He didn’t eat, because when we got to the diner, I got the phone call,” Brian added.

“No need to worry. You two go and have fun!”

“As if,” Brian muttered under his breath. “We’ll be back tomorrow to get you, kiddo,” he told Nick.

“Bye,” Nick mumbled, shuffling further into the house.

“We’ll do something fun when we pick you up. Maybe go to the zoo?” Justin suggested, desperate to not leave with Nick upset.

“Cool.”

“Come on, Justin,” Brian said softly. “He’ll be fine. You’ll see that he’ll befriend Deb and then it will be difficult to take him back home.”

Justin laughed, walking along Brian to the Jeep.

“We didn’t leave him with others much. Just when one of us had a show or a concert out of the city or that run deep into the night, but then again we often took him with us.”

“He has to befriend Deb, because this might happen again.”

Justin buckled his seatbelt once they got in the car. “I could stay home with him.”

“So you’d rather stay home than have some fun? It won’t happen every night, but lately I’m at Babylon when I have business. You know, blending business with pleasure.”

“How lovely.” Justin rolled his eyes. “I could use some fun.”

Brian met his eyes, sucking in his lips. “And then maybe we could continue where we left off this morning.”

Heat enveloped Justin’s body as he remembered their shower. He could vividly remember Brian’s hand stroking him to completion, the way Brian kissed his shoulder, the way he breathed on Justin’s neck.

When they arrived at Babylon, Brian led Justin inside with a hand on the small of his back.

Tom, the security guy, was by the bar with Ted.

“I thought you wouldn’t make it.” Ted hurried to Brian. “Hi, Justin.”

“Hey,” Justin said in greeting.

“Where’s Mitch? I swear, I’ll rip him a new one if he isn’t here for the inspection,” Brian thundered.

“He’ll be here soon. He was on his way out of town,” Ted explained.

“Tell Mitch to come to my office when he graces us with his presence,” Brian told the bartender. He nudged Justin up the metal stairs into his office.

“Not to sound rude, but why is Justin here?”

“I thought the inspectors would love to see both owners involved in this visit,” Brian answered sarcastically.

“Oh, right.” Ted shot Justin a sheepish look.

Justin grimaced, clearly remembering how Brian had berated him for his thoughtless decision to marry Ethan when he owned half of everything that Brian did. They had never discussed this once their relationship was over.

“As my accountant, I’m disappointed you didn’t make the connection. As your friend, I’m not surprised.”

Brian shuffled through some papers in a drawer. He also had a list with most of the lines ticked off.

“Did you get a hold of the maintenance team to check that light? I’ve been exchanging emails with some brainless person from their company since January. I expect the light to fall in the middle of the dance floor before they decide to come and repair it.”

“I couldn’t. They’re not answering the phone.”

“Can’t you find another repairing company?” Justin suggested.

“No. I have a contract with these guys. Actually they were tied to Babylon when I bought it out.”

“Shit. That’s bad.”

“Tell me about it. They were prompt and we’ve worked superbly in the past. I mean, they helped rebuild this place from ashes. The manager was changed last year, and since then everything has gone to shit.”

“Talking about the maintenance team?” Mitch asked, entering Brian's office.

“I know you were on your way to tan your ass, but that can wait. Any word from them?”

“Actually, I met with Bobby in front of the club. Tom didn’t want to let him in.”

Brian groaned. “Finally! Where is he?”

“Fixing the light,” Mitch answered.

Brian hurried out of his office with his manager in toe.

“Never a quiet moment, huh?” Justin wondered.

“Does Brian ever sleep? I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him rest.” Ted shook his head.

“He sleeps, but he’s up at the crack of dawn no matter how late we get in bed. On extremely rare mornings, like today, I am up before him…with a couple of minutes only, but still first,” Justin explained, somewhat proud of managing to wake up before Brian.

Ted frowned, confusion marring his features. “How do you know that? I mean, you don’t sleep in the same room anymore.”

Justin grimaced at his slip. “Same bed even,” he said softly. “We decided to try again.”

“Took your sweet time to make up your minds. We had this bet but I think everyone lost.”

“Why am I not surprised? If I had caved to all the memories and having Brian back under the same roof, we would have been back together since my return.” Justin sighed loudly. “But my dignity and self-preservation kept me from jumping Brian.”

“So, you’re back together now?”

“You can say that.” Justin's phone ringing loudly interrupted his chat with Ted. He was amused to see Brian was calling. “What?”

“Find a mop or the cleaning guy. There’s crusted cum all over the Backroom floor.”

Justin couldn’t help but laugh at Brian's crises. “You realize that if the place is too clean, that may be suspect.”

“Shut up and find someone or something to clean this mess.” Brian hung up.

“Could you point me to the cleaning supply room? Apparently there’s cum on the Backroom floor. Go, figure.”

Ted chuckled, leading Justin to the cleaning stuff room. They even found the guy hired to keep the club clean. He was armed with a cloth and a mop, on his way to the Backroom.

#

By the time the inspection arrived, there was no trace of drug dealers or underage guys in the club, and every corner was sparkling.

For eight-thirty on a Friday, there was a decent amount of guys on the dancefloor.

Brian played host until the men said they would mingle. That was Justin's cue to get Brian to relax.

“What are you doing?” Brian demanded, when Justin pulled him between the dancing bodies.

“Dancing.” Justin wrapped his arms around Brian's neck, smiling.

It felt like an eternity had passed since they had been together at Babylon having fun, yet it felt like no time had passed since Justin had danced with Brian there.

“As much as I would love to do this, we have an inspection.” Brian titled his head, squinting at the shiny globes above them. “I hope that light is fixed.”

“Brian, relax,” Justin groaned, combing his fingers through Brian's hair. “Nothing you can do or say will change these people’s minds. If they want to close the club, they’ll find a way. But something tells me they enjoy it here.” He nodded to one of the men from the inspection team dancing close to a half-naked man.

Brian stared at the scene unfolding, hoping the inspector wouldn’t find fault in that man dancing without his shirt.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 17 by addict_writer
Author's Notes:

 

 

It's gonna get hot in here.

 

 

Being back on the dance floor with Justin felt surreal for Brian. To have him close, his body pressed tightly against him, their growing need for each other tangible.

Brian was aware they were drawing attention but their peers should be used to seeing them making up after monstrous fights. Hopefully their last break-up was going to be the last time that happened. He was looking forward to having Justin by his side for the foreseeable future - Justin and Nick.

It was a little after eleven, and the inspection had left around ten thirty. They promised to return with the official answer, but they assured Brian he had nothing to worry about. He could sleep easily that weekend.

Brian didn’t plan to sleep. All he wanted was to take Justin home and get reacquainted with his body.

They hadn’t taken any happy pill, and yet the thrill of dancing together was strumming through his veins, making Brian’s blood boil.

Justin spun into his arms when the song changed to a sinfully dirty and slow one, pressing his ass to Brian’s groin.

Rapture was an old song Brian kept in the playlist because of the sound, but the lyrics were made for this moment.

Mi amore, don't you know
My love, I want you so
Sugar, you make my soul complete
Rapture tastes so sweet

Brian grabbed one of Justin’s hips, not sure if he wanted to stall him or guide his movements. He was minutes away from taking Justin right there. He hadn’t been this horny in years.

Justin tilted his head back, resting it against Brian’s shoulder. His eyes sparkled as he looked at Brian with evident lust.

Brian wrapped his other arm around Justin’s chest, as he lowered his head to kiss him. Justin gasped into his mouth, before turning into his embrace and kissing him back with ardor.

It felt anthological for them to get back together officially in the place they had broken up.

Justin’s nose was mashed against his while their lips were pressed tightly together. When Brian opened Justin’s mouth, Justin moaned loudly, gripping Brian’s shirt in his hands.

The fierce need to have Justin naked and under him consumed Brian.

“Let’s get out of here,” he said into Justin’s ear.

Justin pulled back to stare dazed into Brian’s eyes. His irises were blown out with desire. “Yes. I need you.”

Brian guided Justin to the door with his arms around him. They were none the wiser about their friends staring after them in awe.

Justin pushed Brian against the brick wall in the alley, a hand going between his legs. His lips found Brian’s again as he started laughing, joy filling him to the core.

“I should have known we wouldn’t be able to keep pretending for much longer,” Justin said, amused.

“After our shower this morning, I could barely think of anything else the whole day.” Brian stroked Justin’s hair. “Come on.”

“I’m so hard. I need you so badly,” Justin said hotly against Brian’s chin, biting the skin there.

Brian licked Justin’s throat up to his ear. “I’m gonna fuck you all night.”

“Oh, my God!”

“Don’t come until we get home,” Brian joked, pushing Justin toward the car.

Brian focused on driving, but Justin was leaned into his space. He licked at Brian’s ear, running a hand over Brian’s chest down to his pants, squeezing his dick.

“Fuck. That feels so good.”

“Remember the time I blew you in the car?” Justin laughed.

“As much as I’d like nothing else, let’s not get pulled over for indecent exposure. I’d like to get home and plow you into the mattress.”

“Where’s your sense of adventure?”

“There’s a cruiser behind us.”

Justin glanced in his side mirror, scowling at the cop car.

#

Brian barely had the front door closed when Justin pushed him against it. Justin struggled to get Brian’s shirt unbuttoned without ripping it, and when the difficult task was achieved, his hands went to Brian’s abs while his lips latched to one of Brian’s nipples.

“Shit, Justin,” Brian groaned, keeping Justin’s head to his chest.

“God, you taste so good. I want to fucking devour you.”

Justin was so horny he was moaning while licking and touching Brian all over.

Brian opened Justin’s jeans, pushing a hand into his briefs, squeezing and tugging at his dick.

Justin bucked into Brian, his jaw going slack at how good it felt. He hadn’t been so overwhelmed by the need to be fucked in too long.

“I need to tell you something before we do this,” Justin said while kissing Brian’s throat.

“You have cobwebs up your ass.”

Justin looked up to meet Brian’s eyes, frowning. “Did you develop a case of mind-reading?”

“It’s not hard to guess. You didn’t let him fuck you the last time round, either.”

“That was different,” Justin mumbled, cupping Brian’s shoulders, keeping eye contact. “He was a bottom. Unlike the last time, I knew I would never see you again. We weren’t going to reunite since I was married to Ethan and we were supposed to live a long and happy life.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “This speech is making my dick soft.”

“We don’t want that. Besides, it looks like you already know what I wanted to say.” Justin closed the distance between them, kissing Brian’s lips.

“I’ll be gentle the first time.”

“You always were…for all our firsts.” Justin grinned.

Brian took Justin's shirt off, pushing him toward the stairs. “Now quit the chit-chat. I need you so badly, I’m going to fuck you right here in the hallway.”

“Do you think I care where you fuck me?”

“For what I have in mind we need a soft surface under you.”

On the top floor landing, Justin pushed his pants down his legs. He laughed at the scowl on Brian’s face. Before Brian could comment about the mess, Justin took Brian’s dress pants off.

Brian nudged Justin toward their bedroom with a hand behind his neck, kissing him roughly.

“I’m not gonna last even one minute,” Justin admitted.

“Just like your first time,” Brian said mockingly.

“I was seventeen, cut me some slack.”

Brian pushed Justin through the open door of their bedroom.

“You’ve made me come embarrassingly fast several times in the past, if I can recall.”

“Mmmhmmm…” Justin turned into Brian’s arms to nip at his jaw. “Some of them happened when I topped you.”

“Maybe…if you’re a good boy, I’ll let you indulge in the rare delicacy,” Brian said softly, caressing Justin’s cheek.

“Fuck,” Justin spat, grabbing his dick. “You’re going to make me come before you even touch me properly.”

“I’m skilled like that,” Brian joked.

Brian nudged Justin toward the bed, helping him out of his underwear before taking care of his own boxers.

Justin threw himself on the bed, ass in the air, arms wrapped around one of the pillows.

Brian crawled behind him, kissing and licking down his back. When he reached Justin’s ass, he squeezed the cheeks, playfully biting one of them, before parting them and going for the gold.

“Fuuuck,” Justin shouted into the pillow. His nerve endings were on fire and the storm in his groin was turning into a tornado. He couldn’t remember the last time his dick had been so hard or when he had been on the edge before the main act.

“The good thing about this house is there are no neighbors for miles. See how thoughtful I was when I got it?”

“Always thinking of having your dick in my ass,” Justin said, amused. But his heart jumped and melted at being reminded how much Brian loved him.

Brian had taken a big chance back then by buying this house and offering it as a gift to Justin when he proposed.

Justin flipped around, pushing Brian on his back, kissing him slowly. “I love you so much.”

“Since when do we do mushy shit mid-fuck?”

Justin stroked Brian’s hair, smiling brightly. “I was overwhelmed by how much I love you and what you’d do for me…and what an idiot I am.”

“Hey, none of that. You’re not an idiot, and I would do anything for you, it’s true.” Brian reached up to kiss Justin. “Now turn around. I’ve got to prep you.”

“I want on top. I mean, I want to ride you,” he explained.

“Let me prep that ass. I can’t even imagine how tight you are,” Brian groaned, his fingers going to play with Justin’s hole.

“Probably as tight as my first time,” Justin laughed.

Brian slid Justin off him, leaning toward the nightstand to take lube and condoms from the drawer. He had stacked them in there for weeks, waiting for the right time to use them.

When he turned to look at his man, he found Justin on his back, stroking his dick slowly, watching him through lust-hooded eyelids.

“That’s so fucking hot,” Brian gasped. “Want some lube?”

Justin lifted a brow, stroking his dick faster, showing Brian how wet he was. Precum kept bubbling, and he knew the moment Brian touched his ass, he was going to come.

Brian dragged a pillow to place it under Justin's ass, lifting his thighs on his shoulders. He met Justin’s blown pupils, before he pressed his mouth back to his hole. Brian pushed the tip of his tongue in, and it was much tighter than he expected.

“Holy fuck. Oh, my….Brian!” Justin seized up, cum splashing on his chest.

Brian froze, peering up at Justin. He stared amused at his painted chest.

“Stop gloating, and start fucking me. I told you I wasn’t going to last.”

“Christ. Now I’m curious if you were ever satisfied since you left me.”

Justin pursed his lips. He cupped Brian’s cheek, swallowing thickly. “Now I am. It’s all that matters.”

Brian didn’t like how selfless Justin was. He had ended up sucked into a dull relationship because he was too proud to admit he had made a mistake and he had no idea how to decline whatever proposition the fiddler had made to lure him into his web again.

Brian leaned up between Justin’s legs to press his lips to Justin’s. “You were the best I ever had.”

“I’ll bet. The inexperienced kid who was a virgin when you met, was your best fuck. Maybe over the years I learned from you…”

“You know I don’t say such things lightly,” Brian chided him.

“I know, but it’s hard to believe.”

Brian kissed him roughly, swallowing Justin’s moan.

When he pulled away, he took the lube bottle. Keeping his eyes on Justin, he poured liberal amounts on Justin’s hole, before tracing a finger over the rim. Slowly he rubbed the area, easing a finger through the ring of muscles.

Justin pressed a palm to his forehead, jaw going slack, while his other hand clutched at the bedsheet.

Brian kept his eyes on Justin's reaction as he worked on breaching him slowly. He couldn’t remember feeling such a tight ass around his finger since he first had a taste of Justin's virgin asshole.

“Oh, fuck! My God,” Justin groaned when Brian moved his finger in and out, adding more lube. “Another one.”

“Justin, I don’t want to hurt you. Believe me, I want nothing more than to plow your ass, but you’re tighter than ever.”

“Feels so good…”

It took Brian a while to be satisfied with how loose he got Justin's muscles, before he dared to roll a condom on his dick. He allowed Justin to straddle his lap while Brian leaned back on the bed.

“Slow,” he warned.

Justin rolled his eyes, but listened to Brian's instruction. It took him a few tries to get Brian's dick inside him, but when he sank down on it, Justin threw his head back, enjoying the feeling of being full.

Brian ran a hand over Justin's side, gripping his hip when Justin lifted slowly, almost making Brian slip out, before sinking back down.

“Fuck. Oh, fuck,” Justin gasped.

Brian took Justin's straining dick in his hand, pumping it slowly, while Justin continued the maddeningly slow pace.

Justin's hands were firmly planted on Brian's stomach, his nails scraping at his skin when Justin managed to find a good angle to touch his prostate. Sweat dripped onto Brian's chest, and when Brian pulled Justin down with a hand behind his neck, Justin shouted in ecstasy, upping the pace.

They breathed into each other’s mouths, as Brian grabbed Justin's ass, his fingers keeping his cheeks apart, while pushing up, meeting Justin’s thrusts.

“I’m close,” Justin moaned. “So close.” He pressed his face into Brian's hair, hugging him around the shoulders, changing the penetration angle.

Brian ran a hand up Justin's back, gripping his hair tightly. He pulled Justin’s head back by the hair, meeting his stormy blue eyes. “Come.”

Justin seized into his arms, pressing their chests together, as he clamped down on Brian's dick. Brian cursed loudly, unable to hold his own release, spilling into the condom deep in Justin's ass.

“Fuck, that was so hot.” Justin peppered small kisses over Brian's shoulder.

Brian licked up Justin's salty throat, nipping at his jaw. “I almost forgot how different sex is with you.”

“It’s something sacred. I’ve learned that early into our relationship. When we first fucked on your Barcelona chair, it was such a tantric experience. That’s when I knew for sure you ruined me for anyone that would follow, even if they were nameless fucks in the Backroom of Babylon.”

Brian laughed, lifting Justin off him to take the condom off.

Justin lounged on the bed, smiling as he watched Brian carrying the used latex to the bathroom trashcan. He watched through the open door as Brian took a piss and then he washed his hands. He returned to the bed with a damp towel, turning Justin on his chest to clean his ass.

“Does it hurt?” Brian asked softly.

“No,” Justin answered honestly.

Brian discarded the towel, before crawling next to Justin and hugging him. He combed his fingers through Justin's blond locks, unable to contain how happy he was to have him back in his arms.

Justin cupped Brian's cheek, returning his smile. “I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy.”

“I was just thinking of that. Maybe when we got engaged…”

Justin's smile widened. “When I understood you were genuine and you were ready to be more open and talk about feelings, when you asked me to marry you…God, Brian…those weeks felt surreal. It was like living in a dream.”

Brian grimaced, rolling on his back. “And then we screwed up.”

Justin snuggled closer, pressing his cheek to Brian's chest. “We weren’t mature enough back then. We weren’t ready for a serious relationship. We both needed to go through this pain to cherish what a relationship with each other brings…it proves to us that no matter how bad it gets, there is definitely worse if we aren’t together.”

You had to understand that, Justin. I’ve learned my lesson from every little reaction from you as a consequence to how poorly I treated you. We could have been happy, we could have had this from the very beginning, if I hadn’t been so set in my ways, so proud of my status as the Stud of Liberty Avenue.”

“My reactions to your actions? You mean when I left you for Ethan because you got me a trick for my birthday?” Justin sat up on his elbow, searching Brian's sad eyes.

“The first time I really understood I fucked up was when you went to Vermont without me.”

“Fuck, that’s ancient shit. And I was a moron. Now I understand work comes first.”

“We had plans. I could have rescheduled. I could have told you it was work related and I had to get Brown on my portfolio. Don’t try to find excuses for how I acted back then.”

“You know, I thought a lot over the past few years about what things I would have changed, but now I realize that we would have never had this happiness if we had done anything different in the past.”

“All that matters now is that you are back home where you belong.” Brian reached up to kiss his partner. “We both know what to expect from the other.”

Justin smiled widely, resting his head back on Brian's chest. “I don’t want you to change anything for me.”

“I’m in two minds giving up tricking entirely. Like I told you, I haven’t done it much, just to keep me sane. And the last time I had someone was in January. If I have the sudden urge to go to the Baths, or scratch an itch when out of town with business, I will always tell you.”

“I appreciate it,” Justin whispered, kissing the center of Brian's chest. “And so will I. Because, let’s face it, I’m more likely to screw up than you.”

Brian laughed. “Yeah, right,” he snorted. “And I’m more likely to win an award for the Saint of the Century.”

Justin huffed, settling against Brian, refusing to go into some mindless argument. He was almost asleep when he heard Brian talking.

“I see how it is. You’re all talk, no action. You promised to plow my ass.”

“Tomorrow,” Justin mumbled sleepily. He felt Brian's hand stroking the length of his back, stopping at his ass.

 

 

 

Chapter 18 by addict_writer

 

 

Justin woke up in a familiar way, yet different than what he had become used to.

He was in Brian's arms, but Brian was pressed tightly against his back, and one of his hands was slowly stroking Justin's morning wood.

“One could get used to waking up like this,” Justin joked.

Brian didn’t answer, and after a few moments of listening carefully, Justin laughed quietly. Brian was clearly still asleep, judging by his deep breathing, yet he was jerking Justin in his slumber.

He slowly turned around, making Brian stir. Brian blinked sleepily, and Justin had never seen a more beautiful sight. The hazel of Brian's eyes never looked more alluring than when Brian woke up. It was a shade Justin had always loved to watch, and he had missed the look on Brian's face the first thing in the morning, the way he was all soft and warm.

“Morning,” Brian grunted, closing his eyes again.

“Now, who’s teasing, Mr. Kinney? You were jerking me off in your sleep.”

“I was?” Brian cracked an eyelid open.

“Yep.”

“I was dreaming of it,” he admitted, throwing an arm over his face. “What the fuck time is it? You wore me out last night.”

Justin laughed, amused at Brian's antics. He checked the clock on the bedside table. It wasn’t even six in the morning, and Justin had never felt more energized or awake. They had slept only a few hours.

“It’s early,” he said softly.

“The sun isn’t even up. I thought you liked to sleep-in,” Brian slurred out.

“I don’t know how much we slept, but I feel so alive.”

“Go, feel alive somewhere else.” Brian rolled around, dragging a pillow over his head. “I want to feel dead in bed.”

Justin was tempted to touch and squeeze Brian's ass, but he refrained. He dragged his body out of the bed, before he disturbed Brian's sleep some more by caving to his hot body.

After a quick shower, he went downstairs to make coffee. Once he had a steaming mug, he took it, along with his sketchpad and a pencil to the back porch. Justin sat in the rocker, watching the birds chirping happily in a tree nearby.

Justin had not taken a moment to enjoy the beauty of the manor before. He had taken every moment spent here for granted.

He wanted to live to the fullest of the potential this estate provided.

They had to talk about buying horses. Justin remembered he had taken lessons when he was little during his visits to the country club with his family.

They would get Nick a pony.

Justin wanted to revive the garden and learn about taking care of flowers, because he wanted to have a variety of them.

The pool had to be cleaned, because he wanted pool parties with their friends. They could even host some of the family gatherings, usually held at Debbie’s, or Michael’s, in recent years.

They had to look into buying a swing set and maybe a sandbox for Nick.

And maybe he could convince Brian about adopting a dog. Nick loved dogs. Their neighbor in New York had a small one, and Nick always played with her.

The overwhelming feeling of how much he missed his son had Justin check the time before calling Debbie.

He had spent about two hours daydreaming, and now it was close to eight, which was a decent time to make a phone call.

Several rings later, Debbie answered. “Good morning, Justin!”

“Hi! How did you know it was me?”

“These cellphones have caller ID, you know? It took Michael and Brian a while to convince me about how useful they are.”

“Oh, I didn’t even realize when Brian gave me the number. How was Nick yesterday?”

“He sulked around for a while. If it wasn’t so heartbreaking, it would have been hilarious. Do you remember how Vic would shuffle around the house, mumbling about being a burden?”

“Yeah…” Justin wasn’t sure how Nick’s behavior was similar to Vic’s.

“Well, Nick held his toy while sitting in the armchair, rocking back and forth. He shuffled to the table when I prodded him to eat something. It took several attempts to convince him the lasagna wasn’t poisoned. Then Carl tried to cheer him up. Nothing worked – he didn’t want to watch TV, or play cards, or chess.”

“He doesn’t even know how to play any of these games,” Justin interjected. “He doesn’t like TV much. And maybe I should have told you he doesn’t eat much…and only specific things.”

“Don’t worry. He loved the lasagna once he tasted it.”

“Maybe I’ll leave him with you more often if you can convince him to try different foods. Uh, in the morning he only eats cereal from the box, no milk.”

“I’m making pancakes as we speak,” Debbie said cheerfully. “He’ll eat them.”

Justin sipped from his coffee, wondering what sort of miracles Debbie could work. Justin and Ethan had failed to convince Nick to try new foods.

“When it was near bedtime, Carl suggested Nick should have a bath. Color us shocked when Nick said he was going to shower like Brian taught him.”

Justin laughed. “Yeah, I’m forever grateful he accepted Brian's suggestion. Fuck, Deb. He might appear to be a good kid, but he’s fucking difficult. I mean he behaves and is obedient, but put him in front of a new situation, and it will be like trying to convince a statue to move.”

“Sounds like someone else I know,” she said softly.

“What? No. I’m not like that. I’ve always been friendly with new people I met, I didn’t shy away from trying new stuff,” Justin protested.

“Not you, Sunshine. It sounds a lot like Brian.”

Justin stared at the horizon, shocked to the bones. “Fuck. You’re so right. I didn’t see it until you pointed it out. Of course, they’re both stubborn as fuck. Nick is actually born three days after Brian, we just discovered this the other day.”

“Now you know how to approach such challenges with your son.”

“It doesn’t work. We’ve tried to shove him into new situations, and it backfired. But now that you pointed out how alike he is with Brian…and considering Brian convinced him water isn’t the devil, after all…Brian can help in such situations.”

“Brian won’t do shit,” Brian muttered from the back door. “Fuck, it’s cold outside.” He disappeared back inside.

“I guess, Grumpy is awake,” Justin joked.

“Enjoy your weekend. You know, we can keep Nick here one more day,” Debbie reminded him.

“He’ll never forgive me,” Justin mumbled, when Brian returned with the throw from the couch wrapped around his shoulders.

He was barefoot, holding his mug of coffee and a box of cigarettes.

“He’ll understand. I know you kids have a lot to talk about.”

“Thank you, Deb. I’ll let you know when we come to get Nick. Tell him I said ‘hi’ and that I love him.”

“I will. Have fun!”

Justin chuckled, as he said goodbye, ending the call.

“Time to get Sunshine Junior back?” Brian asked through a yawn.

“Debbie just said she doesn’t mind keeping him there one more day.”

“What about you? What about his tantrum last night?”

Justin shrugged, prying the cigarette from Brian's fingers. “I want to be selfish for once in my life.”

“It’s not your style. We could get him in the evening. That way, we have the whole day together.” Brian lifted a brow.

“Why do I get the feeling that you want him back more than me?” Justin asked, amused.

“I told you, I like your kid.”

“I like your kid, too,” Justin replied, grinning.

“You’re such a twat, Sunshine.”

Justin elbowed him, laughing. He passed the cigarette back to Brian, who picked it between his thumb and middle finger.

“Plans for today?” Justin asked, watching fascinated the round circles of smoke Brian puffed out of his mouth.

“Fucking.”

“Aside from that.”

Brian raised a brow. “What are your plans?” he retorted.

“Fucking…” Justin repeated Brian's word. “…you,” he added softly.

Brian rolled his eyes. “Of course. There are cobwebs up my ass, too.”

“I promise to dust it up and be just as gentle as you were.” Justin leaned into Brian's side, kissing his cheek.

Brian clicked his tongue, not finding the conversation entertaining. He sipped from his coffee, stretching and crossing his legs in front of him.

Justin sneaked a hand under the blanket on Brian's shoulders. “I can’t believe you let this place become so…wild.”

“Wild?” Brian repeated, peering down at him.

“Yeah.” Justin took a moment to accept the cigarette pressed to his lips, filling his lungs with nicotine. “Uh, all these rooms in the house, they all look unused and there’s so much dust everywhere. Don’t get me started on the deplorable state of the backyard, or the pool.”

“I only ever use three rooms – the bedroom, living room, and on rare occasions, the kitchen.” Brian waved the hand holding the cigarette making ash fly everywhere. “Do I look like a fucking gardener to you? As for the pool…I never used it. Except those select two times when you insisted for a dip that first summer.”

“My God,” Justin moaned. He held his mug between his palms, frowning at the backyard. “I have so many plans. I was just thinking earlier of everything I wanted to do.”

“All yours,” Brian said softly. “We can hire a gardener, someone to clean the pool, and I can get a cleaning lady.”

“I thought you already had one.”

“Yeah, at the loft. It’s not difficult to maintain three rooms clean, you know?”

“I’ll do it – all of it. I promise to let you know when I can’t do it on my own, but I want to bring life back to this place. Well, maybe we can find someone to clean the pool, I have no idea what to do with it.”

Brian nodded. “Anything you want. We can also repaint the guest bedroom and turn it into Nick’s room. Maybe we could repaint Gus’s room, too. He definitely outgrew the fluffy clouds you painting on that wall.”

“Hey, I spent an entire weekend doing that mural. And I remember how happy Gus was to see it.”

“He was six, back then,” Brian said gently.

“And I want horses. What’s the point of buying a house with stables if we don’t get horses?”

“Opulence?” Brian joked.

Justin snorted, pressing his cheek against Brian's shoulder, rubbing a hand over Brian's arm. “I’m so ready to start our lives together. It’s about time we do this correctly.”

The smell of dust combined with sweat and never washed cloth filled Justin's nostrils. He sneezed, pulling away from Brian. He eyed the blanket dubiously.

“When is the last time this thing was washed?”

“Never?”

Justin tried not barf into his mouth. “Christ.” He sneezed again. “I think it triggered half of my allergies. Take it off.”

“It’s fucking freezing here.” Brian finished his smoke, emptying his cup of coffee.

“Then let’s move inside. And leave this thing by the laundry room, I’ll wash it later.”

“What are you doing?” Brian asked, confused when Justin rummaged through his box of meds, sitting on the counter in the kitchen.

“Taking something so I don’t die before I get back inside your ass.”

“You’re such a Drama Princess.”

Justin washed off two pills with a tall glass of water. “I’ve learned from a young age to be responsible about my allergies. I think the only time I almost fucked up was when I moved into Ethan’s studio. I didn’t have money to get the prescription and I believed I’d be fine.”

Brian turned him around, keeping his hands on Justin's shoulders. “You never told me about this.”

“Why would I burden you with my silliness? It took an emergency run to the nearest pharmacy to get an epi pen for me to swallow my pride and ask Mom for money to get my meds. To this day, I don’t know what triggered that attack, but it freaked me out.”

“I remember how religious you were about your pills. It was these little things that showed me what a responsible kid you were.”

Justin cracked a smile. “No one wants to die, Brian. Maybe I’m being dramatic, but when a doctor tells a five year old child the severe consequence if they don’t follow the instruction to the dot…it was traumatic for me to hear I wasn’t normal and I would never be normal.” Justin leaned back against the counter, cupping Brian's elbows, meeting his eyes. “I have no idea how you felt when the doctor told you about the cancer, but for me, it felt like the end of the world. Did I mention I was five?”

“Yeah, you were about Nick’s age. I was over thirty when I had that shock.”

“I understood more than he does. I remember I had lost my grandad not long before we discovered my allergies. And the reason I’m seriously considering therapy for Nick is the fact that he’s in denial. My dad sat me down and explained what happened to grandpa, then there was the funeral…and several weeks later, the doctor told me I could die if I didn’t take my meds.”

“Fucking doctors. That’s why childhood trauma is terrible to heal.”

“What I’m saying is that I understood the situation.”

“Nick will do, too.”

Justin shook his head, wrapping his arms around Brian. “I’m not so sure. After his latest tantrum about his tradition to eat fast-food with Ethan…”

“We can start a new tradition. Do you still want to take him to a fast-food restaurant later?” Brian asked softly.

“Yeah, that’s the plan. And then to the park. I miss walking through a park. We used to go to Central Park almost every weekend.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. I tried to make Nick’s life as happy as possible…”

“Especially when yours wasn’t,” Brian pointed out.

Justin leaned his head back to look at Brian. “I was happy, Brian. Even if I created this beautiful life in my head, I can’t say I wasn’t happy. It was just a dull life. I don’t know how to explain…nothing exciting happened.” He bit his lip, smiling. “I know, to you it won’t matter we have a kid under the roof, and that won’t affect our sex life. Let’s leave it at…apart from the bedroom, we had only twice used other places in the condo.”

“You got that right. Fucking in a bed can get boring.” Brian traced the tips of his fingers over Justin's arm. “Time to rectify it.”

 

 

 

Chapter 19 by addict_writer

 

 

“I didn’t take you as a bathtub kind of guy,” Justin declared.

“You know I got it installed for you.”

Justin sank lower in the tub, resting his head against the edge. Brian, who sat opposite him, rubbed his hands over Justin's calves.

“Did you ever use it?” Justin asked after a while, cracking an eyelid open to look at Brian.

“A couple of times only. Baths are boring. I wholeheartedly agree with your son.”

Justin chuckled, shaking his head. “Baths are fun if you have the correct playmate.”

Brian gasped. “What about the water on the floor? What if you slip and drown?”

“No one has ever drown in a bathtub, Brian. Let me introduce you to how wonderful fucking in a bathtub is.” Justin crawled on the other side to straddle Brian's lap.

“Maybe some other time.” Brian stood, helping Justin up, too. He stepped out of the tub, taking one big towel to dry their bodies.

Justin bent to take the stopper out, before he allowed Brian to pat him dry.

Brian went to the bed, throwing himself face down. Justin shuffled after him, still toweling his wet hair.

“You’ll get the sheets all wet,” he complained.

“After you painted them in cum last night?” Brian sneered. “Besides, you promised me a good fuck.”

Justin dropped the towel, staring amazed at the naked man in front of him. It was like Brian was begging to be fucked. This has been the third time when he hinted at Justin fucking him since they had mentioned the possibility.

“Are you sure?” Justin asked softly, crawling up the bed, running a hand over the back of Brian’s thighs.

“I’m curious about the Mighty Top you have become.”

“You know I’m decent,” Justin mumbled.

“Of course, you are. You learned from me. But you know, practice makes perfect.”

“I’ll have you know I never had complaints from anyone.”

“Of course, you didn’t.” Brian grabbed the lube bottle and a condom foil from the nightstand, placing them next to Justin. “It’s not nice to keep your lover waiting.”

“My lover,” Justin repeated incredulously. “You’ve been spending too much time around Emmett.”

“My bad, I used another word to offend your sensibilities.” Brian laughed into the pillow.

Instead of diving into a subject that was still delicate about their future, Justin poured lube on his fingers then touched them to Brian’s crack.

Brian moaned loudly, putting any slut to shame. The ass was one of the most sensitive parts of the body, and Justin knew very well what a mere touch could do to someone.

Justin worked slowly on breaching Brian, because he was as tight as ever. Despite the fact that Brian loved toys, Justin doubted he had indulged in using anything on himself lately.

“When’s the last time something went up here?”

“Exactly when’s the last time something went up your ass,” Brian replied into the pillow.

“I used my fingers sometimes. Hell, we even had a dildo or two,” Justin admitted.

“Yeah, well….your dick is the last thing to go into my ass.”

Justin leaned over Brian’s back, kissing his spine, still moving a finger gently inside Brian. Justin tried not to let his feelings get the best of him, reminding him what a complete idiot he was.

No one else had ever loved him as much as Brian.

When Justin attempted inserting another finger, he felt Brian’s muscles constricting and a deep breath being sucked through his teeth.

“Fuck,” Justin spat, pulling his hand away. “Did I hurt you?”

“Get back in there! Did I teach you nothing? It has to hurt.”

“Yeah, sure. Not when I’m doing the fucking. I don’t want you in pain. Do you still have some toys around?”

“Stop stalling. Put more lube and use your thumb. I threw away all the toys.”

Skeptically, Justin tried again, doing as Brian had instructed. He kept his eyes and ears on any sign of distress from Brian, but he was lax into his arms. Every sound from his mouth was a groan of pleasure.

When Brian reached under him to tug at his dick, Justin was surprised. That had never happened before.

“Another,” Brian breathed out.

Justin knew Brian was ready, so he took his thumb out, slowly replacing it with his middle and ring fingers.

“Fuck. Deeper,” Brian insisted.

“What freaky fingers do you think I have?” Justin laughed.

“Then get your dick inside me. I need you.”

Justin shivered, because it wasn’t often when Brian begged, when he admitted how much he needed to be fucked. In reality, Justin doubted that had ever happened before.

Justin continued to stretch Brian for a few more minutes until Brian flipped around, pulling Justin on top of him. He kissed Justin fervently, grabbing his dick and pumping steadily.

“Fuck me, Sunshine.”

Justin hastily rolled a condom on his erection, lifting one of Brian’s legs and aligning the tip of his dick to Brian’s hole. He met Brian’s eyes, beyond questioning whether Brian was sure he wanted to fuck while facing him. That had happened only once before, during their engagement.

“Today,” Brian prodded.

Justin rolled his eyes, kissing him deep and long. Then he pushed inside slowly.

Brian threw his head back, his throat arched, showing his prominent Adam’s apple. “God…” he breathed.

As Justin started moving slowly, Brian grabbed two handfuls of Justin’s ass. “Harder.”

“Shit.” Justin stilled when Brian lifted his hips making him slip out. He shifted around until he had Brian’s legs folded to his chest, diving in deeper and harder.

“Yes! You get an A plus in Fuckology 101.”

Justin laughed. He kept a slow pace, savoring the joy of being inside Brian, which was indeed a rare delicacy.

Brian bucked up, moaning loudly. “Harder. You promised to plow me into the mattress not to put me to sleep.”

“You drove me crazy last night with the slow pace.”

Before Brian could retort, Justin slipped out and turned Brian around, arranging his legs so Justin could go back inside smoothly. Justin kept a hand on Brian's hip and the other planted on the small of Brian's back, as he started a hard and fast pace.

“Fuck. God. Holy shit.”

Justin grinned victoriously at how Brian was falling apart in his arms. “Hard enough for you, dear?”

Brian held himself on his arms, pushing back to meet Justin's thrusts, but he slumped forward after several minutes. All that left his mouth were loud groans and gasps of pleasure.

He promised himself to never doubt Justin. He had known what an attentive and loving Top Justin could be, but he had never given Brian such pleasure before. When Justin shifted, keeping on knee on the bed and the other leg straddling Brian's ass as he fucked him within an inch of his life, nailing his prostate with his every thrust, Brian let go of any traces of control he had in his body. The tight coil formed in his groin sprung and liquid heat poured through his veins as he drenched the bedsheet in his cum.

“Shit, Brian. Oh, fuck. Fuck.” Justin gripped Brian's hips, stilling his movements while seated deep inside him. He slumped on Brian's back, breathing harshly.

Brian shrugged him off his back, slowly pulling away from Justin's dick.

Justin flopped on his back, lazily pulling the condom off and tying it, before letting it drop at the side of the bed.

“Tsk, tsk. So messy.”

Justin threw an arms over his eyes, working on regulating his breathing. “I rediscovered some muscle groups I forgot I had.”

Brian snorted. “I’m biting my tongue so hard.”

Justin kicked his leg toward Brian, hitting him in the shin. “Don’t be an asshole. Have some respect, for once in your life.”

“I’m trying. That’s why I’m biting my tongue.” Brian got out of the bed, picking the used condom and heading into the bathroom.

Justin turned on his side, propping his head in his palm, having an intense déjà-vu from the previous night when he watched Brian relieving himself before returning into the bedroom. Brian came to the nightstand closer to Justin, and checked his phone. He frowned, picking it up and thumbed through it for a moment, before placing it back.

Justin couldn’t help himself. After denying the reality of how much he had missed Brian and how much he loved him, now he had to touch him. Justin stroked a hand over Brian's thigh, smiling up at him.

“Do you want to eat anything? It’s one.” Brian leaned over Justin, kissing his forehead.

“I’m not sure. I think we have some leftover chicken from the other day,” he said thoughtfully.

“I was thinking we could order something.”

“Or, we could eat leftovers, and have more consistent food when we pick Nick from Debbie’s,” Justin insisted. “Are we still taking him to the park?”

“If you want. We can do that tomorrow.” Brian took Justin's hand from his leg, pulling him up, then wrapping an arm around his waist. “I’d even suggest we take him back tomorrow morning, but you probably miss him.”

Justin grimaced at that proposition. “I might sound like a terrible father, but I like your suggestion. Though, you call Deb and convince Nick to stay there for another night, and also remind him I still love him and I’m not abandoning him.”

“Why don’t you do that yourself? He’s your son,” Brian protested.

“You get along wonderfully. He likes you, Brian. I’ll heat the food.”

“You’re the worst,” Brian called after him, while Justin made his way out of the room.

#

In the early evening, after eating leftovers and taking a nap, Brian took Justin for a walk around the house. Justin kept pointing out to what he wanted to do – start a small garden, plant rose bushes, clean and rearrange the pool area, buy horses…

Brian steered him down a paved path, keeping his hands on Justin's shoulders.

“How about we play tennis?”

“Do we even have anything?” Justin asked, stalling. “Like, racquets and birdies.”

“Tennis balls,” Brian corrected him. “We have all we need. I usually play with Gus.”

“I’ve never played,” Justin admitted.

“Then why the fuck did you want a tennis court?”

“I didn’t. I told you only about the pool and the stables,” he reminded Brian gently.

“Right. I took liberties. Seriously, I was sure you knew how to play…being a country club former member.”

“I was never a member. I’m queer, remember.” Justin looked around the court, spotting the equipment stored in some lockers on the side of the fence.

“It’s climate controlled,” Brian explained, closing the door behind them and pushing a button next to it.

“Fancy.” Justin picked a racquet. “If I split my head in half, you’ll have me on your conscience,” he joked.

“Aim for the ball.”

“Okay, let’s do this,” Justin said with as much confidence as he had.

“That’s the spirit.” Brian picked the other racquet and a few tennis balls.

He went to the other side of the court, hitting one of the balls to the ground several times, before he threw it in the air and slapped it with the racquet.

Justin was gripping his racquet with both hands, waiting for the ball. He kicked it back, whopping loudly, happy he hadn’t missed. But then he saw Brian lounging in the direction the ball was flying, and before he knew it, the ball was back on his side of the fence, hitting the ground in the corner of the court.

“What the fuck was that?” Justin demanded.

“One point for me.”

“I’m learning. I don’t even know the fucking rules.”

“Aww. I forgot how competitive you were.”

“No, you didn’t. Tell me rules.”

It took Brian no less than half an hour to explain how tennis worked, but once they were playing again, Justin proved to be a quick learner. Brian started to believe he was terrible at tennis, and his son sucked at the game as well, when Justin won the first two matches with three and four points ahead of Brian.

“Are you shitting me, Justin?” Brian spat when Justin aimed the ball right over the net, impossible for Brian to catch, after a long session of keeping it in the air.

“I know what my back-up plan is if painting fails. I’ll become the headline at US Open.”

“I’ll show you a grand slam.” Brian abandoned his racquet, advancing to where Justin was dancing around in happiness.

In a juvenile act, Brian kicked Justin's feet, but caught him before he could fall. Justin shouted, grabbing fistfuls of Brian's sweaty shirt.

“What the fuck?” Justin cried out when he found himself on the ground.

“I’m gonna fuck you so hard…”

Justin barely had time to settle his heart after the fright of almost falling when it started galloping again but this time due to Brian pushing his pants down and bending over to suck him. Blowjobs had been scarce and far in between in the past several years, which meant Justin was going to come embarrassingly fast under Brian's skilled tongue.

While sucking him as if his life depended on it, Brian used precum to coat his fingers and probe Justin's ass.

“Condoms,” Justin gasped.

“You think I’m not prepared? How little do you know me?” Brian pulled away enough to meet Justin's eyes.

“You can’t accuse me of not learning a thing or two from you.”

“I was such a positive influence on you.”

“You were,” Justin said seriously, taking the foil from Brian's hand. “I want to put it on you,” he added, when Brian made to take it back.

“Good. I was about to remind you how my ass is not at your disposal every day.”

“Maybe…every other day?”

“Maybe…” Brian trailed off, and Justin expected to be directed to the Backroom of Babylon. “…if you’re a good boy, you’ll get every other week.”

Justin threw his head back, laughing. But his laughter died as soon as Brian pulled his ass on his lap so he could have better access. When the tip of Brian's latex wrapped dick pressed against Justin's hole, Justin scraped at the clay on the court’s ground, moaning loudly.

 

He had to get used to their intense fucking. Every time he and Brian fucked it was different and hotter than hell. Even though, they had bad fucks in the past, they hadn’t ended unsatisfied.

Chapter 20 by addict_writer

 

 

Brian and Justin were on the couch, flipping through the channels aimlessly. Their feet were tangled together while they passed a joint between them.

Brian scowled at his phone when it rang from the coffee table. It was too late into the evening for him not to know the caller was Michael asking if he was going to Babylon.

Justin picked the phone when Brian didn’t make a move to retrieve it.

“It’s Michael,” he said, stating the obvious.

“Fuck it.”

Justin pursed his lips, accepting the call and placing the phone on speaker, on his palm. “Hi, Michael!”

There was a long pause, and Brian had no idea why Michael was surprised at Justin answering his phone. “Uh, hi…Justin. Is Brian around?”

Brian made a slicing throat motion.

Justin chuckled. “Apparently he wants to slice his throat rather than speak to you.”

“Twat,” Brian mouthed.

Justin smiled brightly, digging his toes into Brian’s thigh. “Was it important?” He asked Michael.

“Well, Ben wanted to go out. We wanted to ask Brian…well, both of you….if you want,” he stumbled over his words.

“What do you have in mind?” Justin asked.

“We haven’t decided. Woody’s? Babylon?”

Brian yawned loudly, narrowing his eyes at Justin.

“Maybe not tonight,” Justin hedged.

“Can you put him on the phone? Maybe he wants to go out, unlike you.”

“No, I don’t want to move from the couch for the foreseeable future,” Brian snapped. “I heard you loud and clear, but I’d rather stay home tonight.”

“And slice your throat?” Michael repeated Justin’s words.

“That’s because of you.”

Another big pause. “Are you on the phone?”

Brian knew what Michael meant. He was curious if Brian had the phone to his ear. So, he pressed a finger to his lips, and Justin nodded, clearly amused.

“What now?” He said it as if he had just taken the phone and made their conversation private.

“What’s up with you and Boy Wonder?”

Justin’s shoulders shook in silent laughter, while Brian rolled his eyes.

“You haven’t called Justin that in centuries.”

“Answer me. Emmett said he saw you last night at Babylon. You were dressed in your work clothes, then you left with Justin.”

“It was business. I told you I had the fucking inspection. And Justin was with me. He owns half of the club. Then we left together. He lives here, in case you forgot it.”

Justin kicked Brian’s leg for being so mean to his friend.

“Are you back together?”

“Would you sleep better tonight if I said yes?” Brian grunted.

“I can’t believe you! When were you going to tell me?” Michael demanded.

“I had no idea I had to report to you about the changes in my life. And don’t tell me you didn’t expect it. I know about your little bet.”

“That’s…it was nothing…we were….”

“Save it, Mikey. Another time,” Brian said.

“Of course. Well…have fun!”

“Oh, we plan to.” Brian pulled Justin closer, kissing his throat. He ended the call, letting the phone fall behind him on the couch.

“Our love life is such a hot topic among our friends,” Justin laughed. “Emmett was incredibly curious yesterday.”

“Hopefully, they’ll lay off our backs now that we made them aware of the reunion. All I want is some peace.”

Justin stroked Brian’s hair out of his eyes. “As much as I want to fuck, my ass is not used to so much action.”

“Did I hurt you?” Brian searched Justin’s eyes, worried.

“No. Let’s just take it easy,” Justin said softly.

“What do you want to do?” Brian sneaked a hand under Justin’s shirt, stroking his chest.

“I just said no sex,” Justin laughed, squirming under Brian.

“Touching you doesn’t always mean I want to fuck you. Christ, Justin. You don’t want me to comment on the questionable relationship you had with Ian, but everything points out to how unsatisfied you were and what a loser he was.”

“Brian!” Justin pushed him away, getting up from the couch. “Stop, okay? I told you our marriage wasn’t unicorns and rainbows. Don’t gauge my eyes out for the mistakes I have made…they brought me back where I belong. Losing Ethan was me paying my karma, reminding me no matter where I want to hide or how much I try to deny our love, I belong with you.”

Brian pulled him back, holding Justin on his lap. “I accepted there was no escaping you…whatever was growing between us…when you kept stalking me and I didn’t feel any anger or resentment. Besides, not many couples have been through as much shit as us in a matter of a few years.”

“That’s true,” Justin mumbled. He burrowed into Brian’s embrace. “Please, stop talking shit about my marriage with Ethan. I had to go through that to grow up and understand you were the only one who loved me and accepted me the way I am.”

“Okay, okay.” Brian leaned closer to kiss Justin. “Want to watch a movie?”

#

It was late at night when they retreated to the bedroom. Brian had insisted to open the window since it was too warm.

Justin woke up only a few hours after falling asleep, feeling stuffed up and with the first stages of his allergies partying in his body.

He dragged his feet to the kitchen to get a pill just in case, and when he returned to the bedroom, he closed the window. He tried blaming the way he felt on the cool air outside, but he knew something had triggered this reaction. It was always a fun game to figure out what caused his allergic reaction.

Brian wrapped his arms around him when Justin lay next to him. He kissed Justin’s shoulder, making Justin smile about how lovable and relaxed Brian was in his sleep.

Next time Justin woke up, the sun was up and warming his back. He squinted toward the window over his shoulder before patting the empty bed, in hope Brian was there.

He wanted to sleep more, but he missed Nick too much to be lazy. They had to go and get his son.

When Justin arrived in the kitchen, he found the yellow cup he had used as his coffee cup since he had moved in with Brian, placed on the heating rack. The liquid inside was lukewarm, but still everything Justin needed in that moment.

Holding the cup, he went in search of Brian. He found him in what should be the sunroom, but it needed a lot of restoration to look as it should. Brian was on his Barcelona chair, one of the few pieces of furniture in the room, smoking and drinking his coffee while looking out the tall windows.

“Morning,” Justin said, stopping behind the chair. He leaned over the back of it to kiss Brian.

“You’re awake!” Brian caught Justin’s wrist, pulling him on his lap. “Deb called earlier. Nick misses you, and apparently he told her since you don’t want him anymore, he’s going to live with her because he liked it there.”

Justin groaned loudly. “He can be so dramatic…”

“Takes after someone else I know,” Brian whispered, kissing Justin’s neck. “No one wants me. No one cares about me. I’m going to New York to become a go-go boy.

“Hey! Did you ever wonder if you stole my glory days by bringing me back before I could become a success in the Big Apple?”

“Your time to shine in New York came a few years later. You didn’t do too badly, either.”

Justin snorted. His stomach squirmed at being reminded he had a show in about a month.

“I have to start painting. I need two new pieces for the show in June.”

“I hope you noticed the room upstairs, and even the shed where your moved your paintings. We can turn one of these into your studio.”

“I’ll take the shed because I don’t want to smudge the floors with my paints. I saw the room…it’s all I wanted when we talked about it.”

Brian smiled against Justin’s skin. “Let me know when you want to start the renovation for any part of the house. I was thinking of going south this summer, but we can use the money for the house.”

Justin leaned his head against Brian’s shoulder. “You deserve a vacation. When is the last time you had a break?”

“Honestly, when I went to the White Party when the girls got married.”

“Christ, Brian! Go and have some fun. We can restore the house in time.”

“If I’m going anywhere, you’re coming along. You and Nick,” Brian said sternly.

Tears sprung into Justin’s eyes. “Of course! Just let me know when so it doesn’t overlap with my plans.”

“Maybe in July, after your show.”

“I’d love that. What do you have in mind? If we take Nick with us, it has to be a family friendly location.” He grimaced.

“Do you want your child to forever hate you? We’ll take him with us, and later in the year, we can go to the White Party together.”

“You know I’ve never been, right?”

“I’m not allowed to comment…remember,” Brian sneered.

Justin pressed his lips to Brian’s. “It’s a date. You and I at the White Party this year.”

“Now, let’s go and get your son. Are we still going to the park? Or do you want the zoo?”

“Honestly…” Justin stood, stretching and yawning loudly. “…anything he wants.”

#

It was close to eleven when they arrived at Debbie’s house. Justin had his arms wrapped around Brian, basking in the blissful feeling of contentment and joy at finally being happy.

Debbie opened the door, smiling at them. “Hello, kiddos! Little Sunshine discovered Michael's old comic books. I found him reading them this morning when I went to see if he was awake.”

“Awesome,” Justin mumbled, taking Debbie in his arms. “Thank you so much for having him.”

“You know I’m here any time you need a sitter.”

“Do you take early bookings? We’ll need a week off in November.” Brian smirked.

“For the White Party? Aren’t you boys too old for that shit?” She put her hands on her hips, lifting a brow at them.

Brian gasped, feeling insulted. “Who are you calling old, woman? Besides, I’ve prematurely interrupted Justin’s lessons about becoming the best homosexual. The lad has never been there.”

“How did I ever survive?” Justin lamented, chuckling.

“Daddy! You’re back!” Nick barreled down the stairs, throwing himself at Justin.

Justin caught him, hugging him close and kissing his head. “Hey, baby. Did you have fun?”

“Yes! Grandma Deb is the best!”

Judging by Debbie’s shocked expression, it was the first time Nick referred to her in that way.

“Honey, Debbie isn’t your grandmother,” Justin said gently.

Nick frowned, turning to stare accusatorily at her. “You said your son is Brian’s best friend, and Brian is like a son to you – you said that. Brian is Daddy’s boyfriend. You’re like a grandma.”

Brian pointed to Nick, wrapping an arm around Justin’s shoulders. “I like his logic.”

Justin shrugged him off. “Technically, you’re not wrong. Practically, your grandmother is my mother. We will visit her soon and you will meet her.”

Nick folded his arms. “I remember her. She upset you when she visited us home in New York. Pappy kept telling me not to ask about who the lady who visited was, but I figured out.”

Justin glared at the ceiling, unsure why he expected any less from his son. “I’ve made up with her. As you know, there are fights in a family. We had plenty. But we always made up.”

Nick pursed his lips. “You were very upset that day, Daddy. And many days after…”

“Your Grandma Jen is actually a very nice lady. We are going to meet with her soon and you will change your opinion,” Brian interjected.

Justin appreciated the effort, but he knew how difficult it was to change Nick’s opinion on something or someone, once it was formed. Especially, when the person had done him or someone he loved harm.

“Well, how about you stay for lunch,” Debbie proposed.

“We were thinking of going to get fast food and then to the park,” Justin said slowly, looking at his son.

Nick’s eyes widened. “Can we? Wow! KFC?”

“Anything you want,” Justin promised, ruffling the kid’s hair.

“Let’s go!” Nick grabbed his dad’s hand, dragging him to the door.

“Whoa, buddy!” Brian blocked his path. “What do you say to Debbie and Carl?”

“Carl was called at the station earlier,” Debbie explained, watching with a smile the interaction between Brian and Justin’s son.

Nick peeked at Debbie, “See you around.”

Justin slapped his forehead. “Thank you,” he hinted.

“I’m hungry,” Nick continued unperturbed.

Debbie gave Justin a pointed look about how similar Brian and Nick were. Justin grimaced, feeling like a failure because his son wouldn’t be polite when he had to, but only when he wanted.

“Go to the car with Brian,” Justin said quietly.

Nick dropped his hand and took Brian’s, already opening the front door.

“Later, Deb!” Brian waved, then picked Nick up, asking what he wanted to eat.

“Good God,” Justin moaned. “I hope he behaved.”

“He was a little angel.”

“Somehow, I doubt it. Where is his bag?”

“Oh, upstairs.” She made to go that way.

“I’ll get it,” Justin offered, taking the stairs two at a time. He found a mess in Michael’s old bedroom. All the comic books were all over the floor and bed, some of Nick’s clothes were at the foot of the bed and his stuffed turtle was on the windowsill. Justin imagined his son had been looking out the window, waiting for his arrival.

After packing everything and stacking the comics on the nightstand, he returned downstairs.

“Thank you again, Debbie. I hate how I dropped him on your head…”

“I told you I don’t mind. We even did some of his homework.”

“Aw, thank you.” Justin wrapped his arms around her. “You’re the best!”

She patted his cheek. “I see that you and Brian worked out whatever tension was between the two of you.”

He grinned shyly. “Several times over.”

“Good for you.”

Justin’s phone vibrated in his pocket, making him laugh. Brian’s name flashed on his screen.

“I’m coming,” he answered, amused.

Brian cleared his throat loudly, refraining himself from any dirty comment. “Nick is all for leaving you there while we go to Burger King alone, if you’re not in the car in the next minute.”

“Right. Coming.”

“You already said that,” Brian pointed out.

Justin hung up, smiling at Debbie. “I’ve gotta go.”

She walked him to the door. “Call me whenever you need some time alone.”

 

 

Chapter 21 by addict_writer

 

 

After picking a variety of food from Burger King, Justin and Brian, along with Nick went to the park. They found an empty bench near the lake, where they sat to enjoy their meal.

Nick seemed to be the happiest about the burgers and fries, munching on his menu happily.

Brian took two bites from the burger before he threw it back in the bag with disgust, and picked at the fries. Justin wasn’t any more pleased, but he chewed on his burger only because he was famished.

“Next time we go somewhere else. In-N-Out Burger is a good place. I only know that because Gus dragged me there last summer,” Brian explained.

“Or no fast food, at all,” Justin supplied.

“Or we could try KFC, like I told you,” Nick insisted.

“There was a big ass line in their drive-thru, you saw,” Brian replied. “Besides, they have spicy food. I’m sure you’re not allowed spicy food.”

“Not all their food is spicy. I used to get one chicken sandwich from them.”

“Uh, I’m not allowed spicy food,” Justin reminded them.

When they were done eating, Justin went to throw away the remains of their food to the nearest trashcan.

“Now, we’re going to the animals,” Nick demanded.

“You want to go to the zoo? It’s a little too late in the day for such a trip,” Brian explained.

“No, the animals in the park.”

“You can see the ducks from where we are.” Brian waved to a flock of birds near the lake.

Nick frowned, shaking his head. “The statues, Brian! The animals.” Justin chose that moment to return, and Nick turned to him. “We have to go to the animals now, Daddy.”

“What animals?” Justin threw himself back on the bench, stretching his legs in front of him.

“The statues!” Nick was close to losing his patience.

Justin peeked at him, sighing heavily. “There are no animal statues in this park. Not every park has them.”

“No?” Nick sounded heartbroken.

“What animal statues?” Brian asked curiously.

“You must know the famous statue in Central Park. We used to visit it when we went to the park. Nick loved it there.”

“Oh.”

“Then I want home,” Nick said sullenly.

They got up, and Nick walked in front of them, kicking all the twigs and pebbles he found in his way.

Justin wrapped his arms around Brian’s waist, leaning into his side. “He’ll be fine,” he said softly.

“Okay. My question is if you want to stop by my favorite Thai place and grab real food.”

“Oh, fuck yes! It’s the last time I indulge in this shit.”

“You will do it again, and you know it.”

“Yeah, for his birthday. I told Emmett I wanted to do it in a fast food place or with lots of fast food.”

“I think I’m going to be sick just thinking about that,” Brian moaned, cringing.

“I know, believe me. It’s the last time. I will convince Nick somehow to drop this shit. He wouldn’t have known what fast food was if Ethan didn’t want to relive his childhood where he wasn’t allowed similar food.”

Brian laughed. “Then allow him in moderate quantities, unless you want him to pig out on McDonald’s when he’s old enough.”

“We’ll see.”

After a detour to MyThai Food, they went home, where Nick didn’t even put up a fight about a nap.

“I’m going to nap,” he announced loudly when they stepped inside the house.

“It’s called a food coma after eating carbs,” Justin called after him, laughing.

“That wasn’t even difficult,” Brian mused, heading into the kitchen.

“He usually takes naps without prodding after a visit to the park.”

Brian took out the food from the bags. “Truth is I could use a nap, too.”

Justin chuckled, going to hug Brian from behind. “I used to think only old people had to take naps, then I found out how tiring life is…college, painting, taking care of a baby. Naps are the highlight of my day.”

“And I used to think only old or sick people napped. Then I started to feel my age,” Brian mumbled.

“Awww…come on, Brian. You’re not old.”

“So kind of you to say that.” Brian turned around to hug Justin. “Now let’s eat so we can nap.”

They took the food upstairs to the small balcony connected to their bedroom. There were two chairs and a patio table with an ashtray on it.

Justin stared at the view as he ate, lost in thought. Brian kept his eyes on Justin as he emptied his box.

“What tree is this?” Justin pointed to the one closer to them.

“How the fuck should I know? It was there when I got the house.”

“If it’s a poplar then I know why my allergies are all over the place.”

“Is there anything you aren’t allergic to? And don’t get smart.”

“Latex,” Justin grinned.

“I said don’t get smart,” Brian said, amused.

“Do you see me laughing? I’m serious. Just imagine if I was allergic to latex, as well.”

“I’d have dropped your ass faster than you can say allergy.”

“Somehow, I don’t believe that,” Justin said gently.

Brian clenched his jaw. “There are non-latex condoms out there, you know? I’d know, I made an ad for them a couple of years ago.”

Justin stopped mid-shoving food in his mouth. “There are? I bet they cost an arm and a leg.”

“It’s supposed to be a new trend…you know? They want people to stop using rubbers, plastics…yada yada.”

“For some it’s more than that, I bet.”

“I tested a few of them, for experimental purposes. I didn’t feel much of a difference, and they all almost broke or they actually broke.”

“Shit. That sucks.”

Brian shrugged. “Whatever. Thank God, we don’t have to use them.” He lit himself a cigarette, putting his bare feet up on the railing.

Justin finished his food, but kept his eyes on Brian. He was so at ease, like everything was perfect. And it was, Justin realized.

He had to remind himself that this was a new chapter of his life and everything was perfect. All the suffering and trouble was gone. He had to allow himself to be happy now, to stop feeling guilty for being happy, for returning where he belonged in Brian’s arms so fast after he had lost Ethan, he had to stop thinking he was making all those steps for Nick, because most of his decisions in the past few weeks had been for himself.

“Tell me something,” Brian said after a while.

Justin felt his heart squeezing, expecting questions about his life in New York, it seemed to be Brian’s favorite topic.

“Yeah?” Justin placed his empty box on the coffee table, slouching in the chair.

“What made you decide to have Nick? I mean, why your sperm and not Ian’s?” Justin was continuously amused how Brian refused to say Ethan’s name, yet it showed how much he disliked him, for which he understood Brian completely.

“I wanted him to be mine. Maybe I knew, deep inside, the reason to accept Ethan back in my life and start a family with him wasn’t sound enough to have a child. It was like I knew something was going to happen.”

“Stop this sugar-coating fairytale. I caved to Lindsay’s pleas only because despite being a fag, I wanted to leave something behind. And I knew how much she and Melanie wanted a baby. I believed it would change me, because I knew there were things I had to do differently once I became a father.”

Justin took a cigarette, mulling over Brian’s words. “I didn’t know you before, but you’ve changed since we met.”

“All the changes I ever made were for me, I hope you know that by now.” Brian turned to Justin, lifting a brow.

“Yeah, I know.” Justin smoked slowly for a few moments. “To answer your question, I wanted a purpose in life. I wanted someone who would always be there…a part of me. I know I will leave behind my name and my paintings, but Nick is…it’s different. I don’t even know how to explain it.”

“I know what you mean.”

“I can’t even imagine life without him now. I know you were worried about helping the girls provide for Gus when you lost your job. The week before I returned to Pittsburgh, I kept thinking if I was making a good move…for the long run…for Nick. On top of taking care of things regarding the funeral, dealing with my haywire emotions about losing Ethan, I had to keep a clear head about a good future for my son.”

“This is the best decision you could have ever made.” Brian leaned closer, cupping the back of Justin’s head and kissing him slowly. “And I want you to continue doing things for yourself. Of course, keep Nick in your mind, but live for yourself, Justin. You never did.”

“It makes me happy to help others,” Justin retorted.

Brian rolled his eyes, pressing his forehead to Justin’s. “I hate repeating myself. You only got yourself. If you aren’t happy, no matter what you do for others, it doesn’t matter.” He pulled away, stubbing the butt of his cigarette to the ashtray. “So, starting now, you start living the life you want, the life you deserve.”

Panic settled in Justin’s chest. To do what Brian suggested, he had to compromise and be selfish and think only for himself.

“I want to hear what horses you want to buy by the end of the week.”

“It’s Sunday,” Justin mumbled.

“Next week.” Brian got up, picking their boxes. “I’m going to nap. I suggest you do the same, we didn’t sleep much in the past few days.”

“I don’t want a nap,” Justin protested.

“Suit yourself.” Brian stepped back inside the house, going to throw the food boxes in the bathroom trashcan.

Justin threw his cigarette in the ashtray, hurrying after Brian. He caught him on his way back from the bathroom.

Justin slipped a hand under Brian’s shirt, touching his abs. He kept his eyes on Brian’s, hoping Brian would get the hint.

“How could I forget I had to fuck you ten times a day to keep you satisfied?” Brian joked.

“I’m glad nothing has changed in that department, and we are still mad about each other. I somehow forgot how it is to be in a constant state of horniness around you.”

“It’s my animal magnetism,” Brian laughed, taking his shirt off.

#

On Monday, Justin woke up to a post-it note propped against his mug, saying ‘I took Nick to school’.

Justin wasn’t sure how it was nine in the morning. He hadn’t slept so late in ages. He hadn’t even heard when Brian got up.

After making himself a sandwich, he took his coffee and plate to the living room, where he found his abandoned sketchpad.

Justin had worked on a new drawing the previous evening, while Brian had attempted to teach Nick how to play chess.

Justin looked through the pages filled with his drawings, and it was obvious when the art looked more authentic and filled with passion. Even if it was just his son sleeping in the guest bedroom upstairs, it was clear, his drawings had caught life once again since his return to Pittsburgh.

Hit by inspiration, Justin hurried to get his easel and a blank canvas installed on the back porch.

He was deep into his painting when his phone rang from the rocker where he had thrown it earlier. Justin didn’t like being interrupted, but he knew it was Brian calling, and he would have a hissy fit if he didn’t answer.

“Hey,” Justin answered, tucking the phone between his cheek and shoulder, returning to his painting.

“Hey. Can you go and get Nick from school? I have a last minute meeting scheduled for one o’clock.”

“What time is it?” Justin had no idea how late it was.

“Twelve thirty. You can bring the Corvette, and we can switch. The Jeep’s keys are on my desk,” Brian said hurriedly.

Justin could hear loud voices in the background, and could only imagine how busy Brian was. “Okay. I better go and get ready.”

“And don’t wait for me to eat. I have dinner plans,” he added.

“Thanks for letting me know.” Justin smiled at the little things Brian had changed, and how he was communicating. “I’ll leave the ‘vette keys on your desk. Go, be awesome!”

Brian laughed. “I always am. Later.”

Justin hung up, looking with longing at his painting which had been catching life under his brush, but it had to wait.

He went to get dressed and hopped in the car. Thankfully, he made it to the first gas station without any incidents, considering the car seemed to have no gas left judging by the red light flashing on the dashboard.

By the time he made it into the city, traffic made him go straight to Nick’s school. Justin could only hope the police wouldn’t stop him on the way to Kinnetik, because having a child in the passenger seat of a Corvette Stingray wasn’t considered safe.

Nick was beside himself with happiness to ride in Brian’s cool car.

“Are you okay, Daddy?” Nick asked suddenly, when they were on their way to Kinnetik.

Justin glanced at him, frowning. “Yes. Why do you ask?”

“I think you’re bleeding.”

“What?” Justin gasped, tapping his nose, because what else could bleed. He didn’t feel anything.

“Your cheek and your brow is all red and gooey. Did you hit your head?”

Awareness dawned to Justin, as he carefully touched his right brow. Sure enough, it was gooey…and red, when he checked his hand. He must have touched his face while painting, but he usually got covered in paint. It shouldn’t have been a surprise. “It’s just paint. I was working on something new when Brian called to tell me to pick you up. Fuck.” He grabbed the wheel with both hands when the light ahead turned red and the car in front of them slammed their brakes. Once their car was stopped as well, Justin turned to check on Nick. “You good?”

“I think so.”

“Sorry, Nick. I should have been more careful.”

They arrived at Kinnetik without any further incidents.

Justin’s phone rang when he parked behind the Jeep. “Hey, Emmett!”

Nick squirmed in the passenger seat. “I have the pee,” he said loudly when Justin turned to him.

“Hold on a sec, Emmett,” he said, getting out of the car. He locked it and handed the keys to Nick. “Put these on Brian’s desk and take the keys for the Jeep. They have the pride flag as a charm.”

“I know,” Nick mumbled.

“Also, you can use his bathroom. I’ll wait here.” Justin looked after Nick, walking into Kinnetik all important, holding the car keys and smiling. “Right, sorry. Did you want to talk?” He asked into the phone, running a hand through his hair.

“If you’re busy, it can wait. I found a few locations for the party. I want to talk to you about this because renting a spot in one of these playgrounds in fast food restaurants is more expensive than a wedding.”

Justin snorted, but he had to believe Emmett since he knew better about the prices of such parties. “We’re at Kinnetik now. If you’re close, we can meet at the diner.”

“I am at the diner,” he answered, amused.

“Awesome! Wait for us there. Nick should be done in five minutes tops and we’ll drive there.”

“Sure, baby. Do you want me to order? It’s crazy busy.”

“Yeah, Pink Plate Special for Nick and a chicken sandwich for me. Thanks!”

Justin was halfway through his cigarette when Nick returned, holding the Jeep keys. To Justin’s surprise, Brian was behind Nick.

“I thought you were in a meeting,” Justin said, amused.

Brian paled when his eyes landed on Justin. “What happened? Are you okay?”

“What? Oh, fuck.” Justin palmed his paint-covered face. “It’s paint. Nick pointed out I had gooey red stuff on my face.”

“Christ,” Brian breathed, wrapping his arms around Justin. “You scared the shit out of me for a second.”

Justin grimaced, leaning back to cup Brian’s cheek and look into his hazel eyes, which were filled with raw emotions. “I’m sorry.” He could only imagine what memories the sight of red stuff on his face triggered for Brian.

Brian’s eyes narrowed fractionally. “Did you just put paint on my cheek?”

Justin snatched his hand away, staring at the red spot on Brian’s face. He made to scrub it with the sleeve of his shirt, but Brian pulled away.

“Let’s wash your face before you give someone else a heart attack. Come on, kiddo, back inside,” he said to Nick, steering them inside the building. “Oh, and you’re a genius to send him in on his own.”

“Did you get lost?” Justin asked, surprised, looking at his son.

“He had trouble with the buckle of his belt.”

Justin felt terrible, though he didn’t understand why Nick had to take his pants off to pee.

Nick sat on the couch while Brian and Justin went into the en-suite bathroom.

Brian caught Justin’s eyes through the mirror, as they cleaned their faces. He smiled widely, making liquid fire course through Justin’s body.

“I’m meeting Emmett to talk about Nick’s party,” Justin said, trying to distract them from a quickie. It would be highly inappropriate.

“Do you need my approval?” Brian pushed his tongue in his cheek. “Maybe wait for the pony, dear. At least, until the stables are usable.”

“You know…” Justin patted his scrubbed clean cheek with a paper towel. “…I think you like too much to call me ‘dear’ and you prefer to use it as sarcasm.”

“I think you should revisit the Brian Kinney manual. Mikey might have copies, in case you lost it.”

“I’m onto you, Brian.”

“Dream on, Sunshine. I have to go back to the meeting.” Brian kissed Justin’s lips, full of lingering promises, before he was gone.

Justin left the bathroom, taking Nick by the hand and leaving. “I’m sorry. I didn’t think you’d need help.”

“Well, Brian helped me. I scared him when he came into the bathroom and found me there,” he snickered.

Justin rolled his eyes. At least, Nick hadn’t gone in search of Brian, like he had believed.

“You hungry?”

“I guess.”

“We’re going to the diner to meet my friend Emmett. We’ll eat there.”

“Okay.”

Justin helped Nick in the backseat, buckling him up before going behind the wheel. When he started the engine, a loud song came on full blast. It had to be Nine Inch Nails screaming about being fucked like an animal. Of course, Brian would listen to something like this at full volume, probably with the windows rolled down, too, so the whole street would hear it.

Justin hurried to turn the volume down and change the song, but the next one was even worse. Brian's eclectic taste in music was insane. Ginuwine’s ‘Pony’ was not what Justin expected to hear after a rock song.

Justin pulled the flash drive from the slot, making a mental note to talk to Brian about his fucking playlist. He hoped Brian hadn’t listened to these songs in the morning when he took Nick to school.

 

 

Chapter 22 by addict_writer

 

 

At the diner, Justin found Emmett in a booth close to the door, and the place packed. He steered Nick toward Emmett, taking a few deep breaths.

Crowds were still not his favorite thing, and the diner during rush hour brought memories Justin would rather forget.

“Hi!” Nick waved to Emmett, sitting across from him.

“Hi,” Justin repeated his son’s words, waving as well.

Emmett laughed, smiling at them. “Well, hello you two! Our food hasn’t arrived yet.”

“Is Kiki on her own?” Justin asked, watching poor Kiki carrying three trays and looking about to lose her mind.

“The new kid should be here too, but he gets overwhelmed.”

“I know the feeling,” Justin mumbled.

Just then, a young man, looking about to piss his pants, stopped at their table with their food. He managed to spill some of the fries from Emmett’s plate and Justin’s sandwich opened, the tomatoes falling out.

“Relax,” Justin said softly, catching the boy’s forearm. “Look at me, Liam,” he said, checking his tag.

Liam’s panicked black eyes found Justin’s.

“It’s just food. If anyone comments, remember you are the boss. If you weren’t here, they would starve.”

Liam’s panic multiplied. “I’m so sorry,” he blurted out. “I’ll bring the rest.”

Justin stared after him with compassion because he could clearly remember being in the boy’s shoes, but he had Debbie there for moral support.

“I don’t know where Debbie found him, but that kid is like the Duracell bunny on crystal meth,” Emmett commented.

“Hey, be nice! Rush hour is the worst, trust me,” Justin muttered. “When is the last time you had a break?” Justin asked the boy gently, when he returned.

Liam, who seemed close to tears, shrugged, glancing toward Kiki, who was staring at him impatiently. “I…I better go check my tables.”

Justin didn’t like how Kiki treated this boy, and he could bet all his money, Debbie wouldn’t agree with this either if she knew.

Justin picked at his sandwich while Nick pushed at the peas on his plate, not convinced if he was hungry anymore.

“Stop worrying about him, I told you…he’s a weird kid. Ever since Alice left, Debbie has tried all the trash on the Liberty Avenue to replace her.”

“What the hell, Emmett? Since when are you so heartless?”

Just then Kiki stopped by their table. She leaned closer to Justin. “Hi, Justin. I know you think you’re helping because you worked here once, but you aren’t. Liam is a professional slacker, and he would do anything not to work.”

Justin frowned. “Kiki, can you put aside your preconceived ideas and the way he might have acted in the past? He’s not okay! Just look at him. He’s on the verge of a panic attack, if I’m a good judge.”

“Like I said, don’t mind him.” She departed when a table nearby summoned her assistance.

“Can you cut these for me?”

Justin turned to Nick, helping him with cutting the crispy stripes in tiny pieces. Then he returned to his own food.

“Let’s talk business,” Emmett decided, pulling closer his notebook.

“Mhmm…” Justin said distractedly, his eyes on Liam.

“I talked to someone I know who has a playground building especially for such events. It’s catered with anything the client wants and there are a lot of games for the little ones.”

“How much?”

“A couple hundreds for the place. If you want him to cater the party, it will be another two-fifty, which is reasonable. If we get the food, it will be more.”

Justin pondered his answer. He wasn’t sure how much such things should cost.

“Of course, for some of the games, it’s an extra cost, but since I’m friends with this guy, he said I could have a party for no more than ten people, which includes children and adults, for only four-fifty hundred. He’d even have the place decorated.”

“And how much at a fast food place?” Justin asked curiously.

“Easily over one thousand, and if you want entertainment, it’s more.”

“What games does this place have?”

Emmett pulled his phone out. “Here are pictures. You can even see what other parties were thrown in there, and they were all a success.”

Justin looked through the photos and he was convinced. “Okay, you’ve got a deal.”

“Yay! It will be a blast!” Emmett clapped excitedly.

Justin stared repulsed at a Leather Daddy openly groping Liam at the table next to them. The boy shuffled away, but the intrusive hands dragged him closer, palming his ass.

“Hey, asshole,” Justin spat, springing to his feet.

Debbie chose that moment to step into the diner.

The Leather Daddy narrowed his eyes at Justin, standing tall. “Got a problem, Goldie Locks?”

“Justin, don’t,” Emmett hissed.

Justin didn’t listen to his friend, covering the short distance between their tables and staring up into the idiot’s eyes. “What the fuck gives you the right to touch this kid? Did you ask permission? Can you see he’s not okay?” Justin looked around, now that he had everyone’s attention. “Can anyone see this kid is about to collapse? Does anyone even care?”

Debbie joined them, wrapping an arm around Liam. “Are they giving a hard time?”

“No, no,” Liam mumbled.

Justin stared at him incredulously, before meeting Debbie’s eyes. “Yes, they were! It’s like he’s this juicy piece of meat and everyone wants a piece. Even Kiki seems to have stopped caring.”

Kiki scowled at Justin for being ratted out, but Justin knew that Debbie had to be made aware of such things.

“Damn it, Liam. I told you I want to know these things,” Debbie demanded. “You better sit back down.” She pointed to the Leather Daddy, then she took his plate, holding in above his head. “Are you going to respect the people working in this place?”

“Yes, Deb. It won’t happen again,” he said in a meek voice.

“Of course, it won’t,” she said in an extra sweet voice before tipping over the pasta on his head. “Kiki, clean this mess, then I want a word with you.”

Justin was amazed at what Debbie had done. He had only seen her acting so protective toward family.

“Thank you, honey,” she said softly, cupping Justin’s cheek. “I should have known you’d be the first to jump in Liam’s defense.”

“It will be worse now,” Liam mumbled.

“No, it won’t. I’ll rip everyone a new one if they even think of looking at you the wrong way, let alone touch you,” Debbie said loudly. “Clear?”

The whole diner nodded in agreement.

“Come on, kiddo.” Debbie steered Liam toward the back door.

“Wow…” Emmett looked impressed at Justin when he sat back down.

“I don’t want to hear it. I didn’t see you standing up for him.”

“There are rumors about that boy…”

“He’s a human being. If he works himself to a state of exhaustion, it doesn’t matter who he is outside this place. Being here proves he’s trying to make an honest living.”

“It was so cool, Daddy! Like…Superman,” Nick exclaimed.

Justin grinned at his son, ruffling his hair. “Thanks, kiddo.”

Emmett froze, looking at something behind Justin, and before Justin could check to see what had attracted his friend’s attention, he felt a tap on his shoulder.

Justin turned to see the Leather Daddy. He had cleaned his bald head off the dish Debbie had dumped on him. “What,” he spat, disgusted by the man’s previous behavior.

“I was out of the line. You’re right.”

“Don’t apologize to me. Apologize to Liam when you see him next time,” Justin said through his teeth.

The man nodded. “Send Brian my regards.” He turned to leave, but Justin jumped to his feet.

He caught the man's elbow. “Are you shitting me? All that speech just because you realize I’m Brian’s boyfriend and you respect Brian? Not me, and definitely not Liam. You’re a piece of shit!”

“I thought this would be my way to apologize since you broke up because you found me with him in the Backroom.”

“You have a nerve, you know?” Justin curled his hand into a fist.

“Yeah, just as ungrateful as we all knew,” the man muttered.

“Whoa! Stop!” Emmett caught Justin before he could punch the other man. “Scamper off,” he hissed at the Leather Daddy.

Justin slumped back in the booth, shaking in anger. He wasn’t even sure what upset him more - the fact that the man had dared to feel up Liam like that, the fact that no seemed to care about how Liam was about to have a nervous breakdown, or the fact that the brainless asshole recognized Justin as Brian’s boyfriend and thought he would apologize only because he respected Brian. And on top of it all, he turned out to be one of the guys Justin had found Brian with, on the fateful night they had their public break-up almost a decade ago.

“Did that man upset you, Daddy? He wasn’t very nice.”

“Yeah, he wasn’t nice,” Justin said quietly.

Emmett kept a hand on Justin’s shoulder. “You’re not going to turn Rambo if I go back to my seat?”

“No, I’m good,” Justin said, managing a small smile. It turned into a scowl fast when the asshole in question left the diner with his friend. “Just wait until I tell Brian. It looks like they know each other.”

“That’s why I tried to stop you the first time. Sam owns Meathook. He and Brian are actually good friends.”

“I had no idea. Whatever.”

They returned to their now cold food.

Emmett updated Justin on the wedding he had helped with ideas not long ago, telling him how the future grooms were happier than ever to see their dream coming true.

“Thank you, Sunshine,” Debbie said from behind Justin, startling him.

He turned and placed a hand on top of hers on his shoulder. “It was no problem, Deb.”

They looked at Liam who had abandoned the apron and was coming their way. He stopped at their table, tears in his eyes.

“Thank you, Justin.”

Justin shouldn’t have been surprised the kid knew his name. Debbie must have told him something. “You’re welcome! Next time, show them you have bigger balls than them all, including Kiki.”

“Don’t mind Kiki. I made her remember what it was like to be a young gay man with no one else in the world.” Debbie patted Justin’s cheek. She turned to Liam, saying, “Go home. Tell Petey I’d love to see him around here.”

“We’ll see how he feels. I’ve got soup for him,” Liam said softly, holding the bag for Debbie to see.

“Good. Go now.” She ushered him to the door. “What happened to Samuel?” She looked around curiously.

“He left,” Emmett explained. “You might be banned from Meathook for life after that stunt, though,” he added jokingly.

“There goes my plan to dust off my leather outfit and go out tonight,” Debbie said dramatically.

“He’s an ass,” Justin huffed.

“As if you don’t know how these guys act. That’s why it affected you so much, honey.” Debbie stroked his hair. “How was yesterday?”

“We might require your services again. I don’t know what you did, but Nick ate what we had for dinner without any comments.”

Nick scowled at his dad. “I always liked mashed potatoes.”

“The fish was usually a problem. I’m not complaining that you ate it without a tantrum,” Justin said hurriedly. “I’m actually praising you.”

“I’m a good influence like that,” Debbie said, amused.

Emmett’s phone rang, making him hurry to answer, digging in his bag for a pen.

Justin checked on Nick to see he had barely eaten half of the food on his plate. “Can you pack this for us, please?” He turned to Debbie.

“Sure thing, Sunshine.”

She left with Nick’s plate, and Justin pulled his son close. “Are you tired?”

“A little,” he said quietly.

“We’re going home, and you can sleep. Then we do homework before Brian returns. He’ll be home late.”

Nick rubbed at his eyes, yawning.

Emmett packed everything once he ended his phone call. “I have to run, baby. Emergency with my newest Groomzilla.”

Justin chuckled, but he felt bad for his friend. “Of course. You have the green light for the party. If you need some of the money, let me know.”

“Okay. I might, but I will tell you for sure after I talk to my friend again. Stay out of trouble!” He shook a finger at Justin as he got up. “Byeee!

“Bye!” Nick waved his hand to Emmett.

“See you,” Justin said.

Debbie returned with the packed food, sitting in Emmett’s spot. “Planning a party for someone we know?” She lifted a brow, keeping her hands on the Styrofoam box.

“Yeah, and it’s not even a surprise since he’s right here.” Justin pointed to Nick.

“Oh. I thought…” Debbie shook her head.

“You know what happened on Brian’s thirtieth birthday. I still have nightmares about it,” Justin joked. “If we renovate the backyard by mid-May, we might host a small party for the family. No promises, though. I’m busy with painting, and I know Brian has several important accounts that require his attention.”

Debbie pursed her lips. “I was hoping you’ll get Brian to relax and take a break from work, but he has sucked you into his workaholic abyss.”

Justin laughed. “I’m far worse than Brian when it comes to work. Nick can attest how seldom he saw me when I had a commission.”

Nick nodded and pouted. “When Daddy paints, we have to stay away and not disturb him.”

“Yeah, actually I should be working on my new paintings as we speak. So we better get back home.”

Debbie handed him the packed food. “Be careful. I want an invitation to your show.”

“I'll let everyone know the time and exact date when I know them.”

#

At home, while Nick napped, Justin got sucked into his painting. He only became aware of his surroundings when the sun set. After a look at his phone, Justin was surprised to see it was after seven.

He hadn’t checked on Nick in over three hours.

He hadn’t even started dinner.

After bringing his easel inside the shed, he went into the house.

Nick was in the living room on the carpet, doing his homework. It was a sight that warmed Justin’s heart.

“When did you wake up?” Justin sat next to him.

“Earlier. I need help.”

“Let’s see what you have there. Though, are you hungry?”

“Nope.” Nick pointed to the math exercise in his textbook.

It took them an hour to be done with homework. And despite Nick’s protests that he wasn’t hungry, he accepted the leftovers from the diner. Then he went to take a shower, and Justin couldn’t be more grateful for Brian’s help in that department.

After cleaning in the kitchen, Justin went after Nick to tuck him in, but Nick wasn’t tired. So they sat on top of the bed, talking about who Nick wanted to invite for his birthday and what present he wanted.

It was close to ten at night when Justin went to his bedroom. After a shower, he threw himself on the bed, feeling drained.

As he lay there, he tried not to think of what Brian was doing. Because in all reality, Justin knew Brian was somewhere getting a piece of ass. He didn’t even care that much, because they had something strong and he knew Brian loved him and would never do anything to hurt him.

 

 

Chapter 23 by addict_writer

 

 

After the longest business meeting, which dragged until well after nine in the evening, Brian was ready to go home. In the car, he checked his phone, surprised Justin hadn’t called or written anything about when he would make it home.

Instead, there were two missed phone calls and a long text message from Samuel Dickson.

Brian’s amusement grew with each word he read about Sam’s apparent issue with the way Justin had humiliated him in front of the whole diner.

Brian drove to Meathook, discarding his suit jacket and tie in the car. He was still more dressed up than anyone in the club.

He made his way to the bar, asking for Sam, because he wasn’t in the mood to stick around.

He didn’t have to wait long for his friend to climb on the stool next to him, telling the bartender to bring Brian’s usual. After the long day, Brian needed the whole bottle of whiskey, not just a glass.

“How are you, old man?” Brian asked, tipping his glass toward Sam.

“Cut the bullshit, Kinney. Did you get to talk to Justin?”

“I didn’t have the pleasure to hear his side of the story. I just finished with my work day and noticed your lovely message.” Brian rolled his eyes. “How did Justin upset your sensibilities?”

“You said you read my message.”

“Yeah, he called you out for groping Liam in the middle of the diner. I thought you had more tact.”

“You know half the diner does that.”

“It doesn’t mean it’s any more okay if one or a dozen queers cope a feel on that poor kid. Do you even know his backstory? I do. Being traumatized by you is the last thing he needs.” Brian downed his glass, grimacing at the sour taste of the whiskey. He pointed to his empty glass, and the bartender topped it almost instantly. “Good thing someone stood up for the kid.”

“I also might have mentioned to Justin that we are friends and something about him being offended when he found us together that night in your club.” Sam shrugged nonchalantly.

Brian slammed his glass to the counter, shattering it, before getting up and pushing Sam against the side of the bar. He stopped his fist an inch away from Sam’s jaw, before taking hold of his shirt and shoving him away. Sam stumbled, tripping over a chair and falling.

Everyone stopped to stare at the fight.

“You dare come into my club to mock me and pick up a fight?” Sam snarled, getting on his feet and ramming into Brian.

Brian kicked him away, taking a step back. “If you know what’s best for you, stay out of my way. You’re banned from Babylon, and if you see Justin again, you better apologize for what a hypocrite you are, Dick.”

“Christ, you’re both a couple of queens.”

Brian scowled, leaving Meathook with an acrid taste in his mouth. No wonder Justin hadn’t called to talk to him. He was probably upset and reevaluating their fragile relationship.

Brian sped all the way home, pushing all the red lights he encountered.

When he parked behind his Jeep, he took a few calming breaths. Brian looked up at the dark house, noticing there was no light on, except the porch light. He fully expected Justin to have the bags packed and ready to leave after whatever Sam had told him.

Inside the house, Brian carried his suit jacket and tie upstairs with his heart slamming against the ribcage and his stomach in knots.

The door to Nick’s bedroom was ajar, and Brian spotted the little boy fast asleep, holding one of his plush toys.

Brian continued to their bedroom, relief flooding his body. This door was shut, and it creaked loudly when he opened it.

Justin was sprawled on his stomach on the bed, one leg dangling off the edge. Taking over the whole bed was one of Justin's favorite things.

Brian stood at the side of the bed, staring at the blond man, unsure why there were tears in his eyes. He had never done regret in his life, but there were too many things he wished he had done differently regarding his relationship with Justin. Despite what Justin believed, that they hadn’t been ready for a mature relationship when Brian had proposed, Brian knew they would have never split if he had proved to Justin he could trust him no matter what.

Brian must have stared too intensely at Justin, because Justin suddenly opened his eyes. He gasped loudly, choking on his spit.

“Fuck, Brian! What are you doing?”

Brian undressed slowly, before climbing next to Justin, hugging him tightly and kissing him slowly. He combed his fingers through Justin's longer locks, looking into his eyes. “I love you.”

Justin blinked slowly, seemingly in shock. “What…Brian, are you okay?”

Brian burrowed his face into Justin's neck, breathing him in. “I’m sorry you had to run into Samuel and hear those things,” he said in Justin's ear. “I’m also proud of you.”

Justin relaxed under him, touching his back softly. “Wow…what a jerk. He came running to you about the way I treated him.”

“You must know what proud assholes those Leather Daddies are,” Brian said, amused.

“Like I care. So, he came to you?”

Brian pulled back a fraction to be able to look at Justin's face. “No. I went to him, after he texted me about how you humiliated him.”

Justin laughed loudly, but cupped his mouth a moment later, glancing fearfully at the door. The last thing they wanted was to wake Nick. “Humiliated?”

“His word, not mine. I was all for having a chat with him about how wrong it is what he did to Liam. Then he told me that he brought up the last time you saw me and him…that night, at Babylon.”

“Frankly, I didn’t even know who he was. Emmett kept trying to stop me from picking a fight with him.”

Brian snorted. “I’ll bet. Anyway, let’s leave it at Sam’s no longer a friend. I’ll have to find a new show to replace the Leather Ball, because no leather freak will step foot in my club again.”

“Come on, that’s the best event Babylon has,” Justin protested. “So…where did you go?”

“To Meathook. He owns the place.”

“No, I mean…tonight...for fun?” Justin supplied.

Brian rolled on his back, wondering what he had to do for Justin to understand he had diminished the number of his tricks so much, his life was almost dull. Besides, Brian hadn’t gone after another ass since before Justin had returned to Pittsburgh.

“You don’t have to tell me,” Justin said hastily, taking Brian's silence the wrong way. “I only ever want to know you are safe, but I know you choose decent guys.”

“Justin,” Brian said slowly, turning to lean on his elbow, looking down at Justin. “I was out with a client until nine-thirty. Then I went to see Sam, and after that I came home.”

“Dinner with a client,” Justin repeated in disbelief.

“Yeah, I’m ninety percent sure he’s a lost cause. Believe me, when…if…I decide to go fuck some faceless and nameless ass, you’ll know. I promised to tell you up front.”

Justin patted his chest, smiling. “I’m getting used to this. You can’t blame me for thinking the worst. I’ll also have to get used to you talking to me. It feels surreal.”

Brian closed the distance between them, opening his mouth. “Want to fuck?”

“Since when do you ask?” Justin twisted his arm to search blindly for the supplies on the nightstand, while still kissing Brian.

“Fine, next time, I will bend you over and ram into you without any warning.” Brian turned Justin on his stomach, palming his ass over his boxer briefs. “I still can’t believe I found the perfect ass to convince me to settle down.”

Justin laughed into the pillow. “Don’t forget the perfect cock to keep you satisfied when you need to scratch an itch.”

“Of course, we can’t forget that.”

Brian helped Justin out of his underwear, throwing it over his shoulder, before sitting up on his thigh while he poured lube on Justin's crack.

“Cold, ouch!” Justin shifted at the sudden impact of the cold gel with his ass.

Brian started rubbing, chuckling. “It will heat up.”

“I have this strong déjà-vu…You said that the night we met.”

“I hope you’re aware I barely remember that night. Christ, I was such a mess. I was high as a kite when I met my son for the first time.”

“You were on something since when we met.”

“Right…the special K, then the shit E.”

“You made an amazing first impression,” Justin said over his shoulder. “I can’t say anyone else has done handstands and juggled with a lamp on the first night I met them.”

“You mean on your multiple one night stands, no one tried to impress you with their acrobatic skills? Losers,” Brian joked, pushing a finger inside Justin's ass. He earned loud groans of pleasure from Justin. “And here I thought it was my big dick that kept you coming for more. Silly me.”

“Believe me, if you hadn’t fucked me stupid that night, I would have never looked back. I doubt anyone has met their future partner under such insane circumstances.”

“True.” Brian pushed another finger into Justin. “Now be quiet. You don’t want to wake Nick with your moans.”

Justin grimaced, because it wasn’t fun to end up with his son interrupting the sexy times. It had happened numerous times in New York.

#

In the morning, Brian wasn’t sure why he was up before the sun appeared in the sky, but he felt oddly refreshed.

He nursed a cup of coffee at the kitchen table, looking through some emails he had left unanswered since he had been busy preparing for his dinner meeting. He couldn’t wait to hear what Cynthia would have to say about his reply to her email coming at five-thirty in the morning.

Brian lit himself another cigarette and refilled his cup of coffee, finally done with catching up on his work. He choked on his spit when he spotted Nick in the doorway, holding one of his plush toys, his hair mussed up.

“Why are you awake?” Brian asked, settling his heart.

Nick dove into Brian's arms, climbing on his lap and clinging to him. “Nightmare,” he hiccupped. “Bad, bad one.”

“Fuck,” Brian breathed, holding his cigarette in the hand not keeping Nick close. “Want to talk about it?”

He would be a lousy adult if he went running to wake Justin because his son had a bad dream. Brian knew he had won Nick over without even trying, but this would prove to the little boy he could trust Brian with anything.

“I was in the park with Daddy and Pappy. The park with animal statues from New York,” he explained in a small voice. Nick looked up with teary eyes at Brian. “I was on the statues playing. Daddy and Pappy were fighting. Then you were there, and you took Daddy away.”

Brian was ready to interject that he would never take Justin away from him. But Nick continued in the same small, shaky voice.

“Daddy told me to climb down so we could go. I went to Pappy when I was down, and he knelt next to me and told me to go with Daddy. Because Daddy deserved to be happy.”

“Wow. I see how this was a nightmare.”

Nick frowned, rubbing at his teary eyes, not catching Brian's sarcasm. “I went to where you and Daddy were waiting. When I looked back, Pappy had big wings and he was going up to the sky.”

As much as Brian hated the mere idea of Ethan, he knew whatever he said had to be worded carefully. “That means your pappy accepts that your daddy has moved on and that now he is happy.”

“I’m a bad person,” Nick mumbled, sobbing, pressing his face into Brian's shoulder.

“Of course, you’re not! Who told you that?”

“I know I am,” Nick insisted, pulling away enough to look up at Brian, with tears rolling down his cheeks. “I am happy Daddy has you, Brian. I can see how happy he is now. I have never seen Daddy so happy.”

“Shhh.” Brian put the cigarette between his lips, holding Nick tightly with both arms. He had no idea what to say, because Nick’s confession went hand in hand with what Justin had admitted about his life in New York.

Brian held Nick against his chest, until the boy dozed off. He finished his smoke and his coffee, mulling over Nick’s words.

That was how Justin found them an hour later. It was a little after seven when he made his way into kitchen yawning and scratching his stomach. He stopped in the doorway, staring at Brian and his son, surprised.

Brian pressed a finger to his lips, before placing a new cigarette between his lips. “Bad dream,” Brian mouthed.

Justin's eyes saddened, then he frowned. “Why didn’t he wake me?” he asked quietly, leaning closer to rub his son’s back.

“I tried. You wouldn’t move,” Nick mumbled sleepily.

Brian chuckled. “The nuclear bomb could go off, and your dad would sleep through it.”

“Hey, I’m not that bad,” Justin defended himself. “Come here, buddy.” He pulled Nick on his lap, as he sat on the chair closer to Brian.

“You are, actually. Remember that bad storm when the tree in front of the building caught fire when lighting struck it? And it fell on a car and the firemen and police and ambulances were there? Yeah, you don’t,” Nick added, amused. “You slept like a log.”

“Hey, be nice,” Justin chided him.

Nick found Brian's eyes, mirth dancing in his blue ones. “Daddy was so confused the next morning when Pappy and I told him about the adventures from the previous night.”

“Ooookay, enough fun at my expense. I like my sleep.”

“And God forbid someone manages to wake you, because you turn into a big grouch,” Brian continued, smiling.

“You’d know since you had to deal with me in the morning for years.”

“You’re the cause of my first white hairs, Justin,” Brian said seriously.

“You have white hair?” Nick peered closer at Brian.

“I dye it,” Brian explained.

“I don’t,” Justin sneered, taking a cigarette from Brian's box. “Want to tell me about your bad dream?” he asked softly, stroking his son’s back.

“Not particularly,” Nick mumbled. He glanced at Brian, and Brian knew he should keep it a secret. “I’m going to brush my teeth.” He jumped out of Justin's arms and ran into the hallway.

“Careful on the stairs,” Justin called after him. After a few drags from his cigarette, he lifted a brow at Brian. “So…did he tell you?”

“He’ll be fine. Let’s leave it at…your son understands you are the happiest he has ever seen you and he has finally accepted Ian is dead.”

“Now I’m intrigued.”

“Don’t make me say it. He trusts me with his secret.”

 

 

End Notes:

Happy Christmas! I hope you have fabulous holidays with your dear ones.

Chapter 24 by addict_writer

 

 

Over the following weeks, Brian contacted a company to come and clean the pool, because that seemed to be a priority for Justin.

Justin focused on finishing the paintings he had to send along with several others for the show in June. He relied on Brian taking Nick to school and back, since he devoted his time to painting and working on both Brian’s and Nick’s birthdays.

Justin hoped Brian wasn’t aware why he insisted on having the pool cleaned and the backyard lawn trimmed.

On the fateful day, which was a Friday, Justin made last minute arrangements for the gathering he had planned for the following day. He had even contacted the girls in Canada, and they were more than happy to come over for the weekend.

They were flying that evening and staying at Michael and Ben’s house.

Justin was at the store shopping for groceries when Emmett called.

“Hey, Em.”

“Hey, hon. We have a problem.”

Justin put the chicken legs in the cart, bracing himself. “What’s up?”

“Customer protection and the police closed my friend’s establishment. Apparently there were some unsafe areas in the playground. I’m really sorry.”

“Fuck, Em…” Justin palmed his face. “I don’t suppose you can find something else in a week?”

“You suppose correctly,” Emmett said in a small voice.

“How about…our backyard? We’ll have practice after celebrating Brian this weekend.”

“That’s not half of a bad idea. I can borrow some things from this friend since it’s the least he can do.”

“Let me know what you can do. I’ll have to call all the parents and tell them about the new location.”

“We’ll talk more about this tomorrow. Speaking of, do you need my help?”

“Unless you can work a miracle and have Brian’s gift shipped on time, then no,” Justin mumbled.

After having dinner at Jennifer’s house a few weeks ago, back on Easter day, Justin found out Brian shared a passion with Tucker. They both loved motorcycles. Justin was gobsmack about finding out such a thing about Brian.

Not long after the dinner, Justin had met with Tucker, and with his help, he had chosen a decent bike for Brian. Then Justin had called the gang and told them about what he planned on buying Brian and how he needed their help.

“Still no word from the dealership?” Emmett asked softly.

“The last update was that they were going to deliver it by the end of today.”

“It’s two in the afternoon, baby. Patience.”

“I need to finish shopping and get home and make it look like we’re not planning a big thing for tomorrow. Brian should be home later, he said he was taking Nick to Debbie.”

“Aww! So any big plans for tonight?”

Justin could feel his cheeks heating up, which was something only the idea of fucking Brian could do to him. He had always had this effect on him.

“You can say that. We’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Right, I wanted to ask. Eleven? Or later?”

“Eleven,” Justin confirmed. “Now let me finish shopping so I have time to get home, and hopefully intercept the delivery guy. How do I hide a motherfucking motorbike?”

“Use your imagination,” Emmett said, laughing.

“Thanks for nothing.”

After hanging up, Justin continued to push the cart through all the aisles in hopes he got everything, he also bought children festive decorations because he would need them next week.

By the time he was loading the bags in the Corvette, an unknown number called. Justin nearly dropped the phone in his haste to answer who he believed to be the delivery guy.

“Hello,” he said.

“Hi, Justin! I got your number from Mom. It’s Gus.”

“Hey, Gus! How are you?” Justin berated himself internally for being disappointed it was only Gus and not the delivery guy.

“We landed earlier and we are waiting for Uncle Ben to pick us up.”

“That’s great! I have everything prepared,” he explained.

“Right…” Gus dropped his voice. “I called Dad a few minutes ago to tell him ‘Happy birthday’ and all that. I guess it’s a bad idea we kept this a surprise,” he mumbled.

“Why?” Justin could feel his heart in his mouth. Trust Brian to do something against their plans.

“Uh, he said he was on his way to drop your son to Debbie’s and then he would get you and take you away for the weekend.”

“Fuck,” Justin spat. “Shit. That sucks. I mean…you know what I mean.”

“If he wants to take you somewhere cool, forget our plans,” Gus said sternly.

“Why do I have the feeling that you know where he’s taking me?”

“I don’t, but Dad sounded excited. I haven’t heard him sound so happy in ages.”

Another call interrupted his chat with Gus. “I’ll call you back, the delivery guy is calling.” Justin accepted the other call, feeling bad for hanging up on Gus. “Hello?”

“Hello! Justin Taylor?”

“Yes.” Justin hastily threw the rest of the bags in the car then got behind the wheel.

“It’s Mark from UPS. I have a delivery. Are you home?”

“I’m on my way,” Justin explained, pressing the acceleration making the tires squeal. “Twenty minutes tops.”

“I’ll be at the address in fifteen, so it’s okay.”

“Thank you,” Justin said gratefully.

He pushed the car to its limits, glad Brian would never know how he drove his beloved Corvette.

When he was on the winding road leading to their house, the car behind him blinked the lights at him. Justin nearly swerved off the road when he checked the rear view mirrors. It was Brian.

What terrible luck did he have…

To make it worse, the UPS truck was parked in the driveway.

Justin parked in front of the garage, hurrying to greet the delivery guy, just as Brian parked behind the truck.

“What the hell did you order? I thought we were saving the pony for next year,” Brian said, amused.

Justin grimaced, especially when the delivery guy unloaded the motorbike. Of course, he was terrible at surprising his loved ones.

“What did you do?” Brian gasped, stared with wide eyes at the Triumph Thunderbird.

Justin signed his name on the paper the delivery man presented him.

“Enjoy this beauty,” the man said, closing the back of his truck and then driving away.

Justin covered his face with his palms. He peeked at Brian through his fingers, but Brian was busy admiring his present.

“Happy birthday,” Justin whispered, dropping his hands. “Surprise?”

“Fuck, I am speechless,” Brian admitted. “How the fuck did you pull this off?”

“With a little help from our friends…and a lot of help from Tuck.”

“How the fuck do I top this when your birthday comes?”

Justin was surprised at what worried Brian. He touched Brian’s chest, nipping at his jaw. “You top me.”

Brian laughed, then grabbed Justin’s ass, lifting him in the air and kissing him with hunger. “Thank you! As much as I hate surprises, this is…”

“You’re speechless,” Justin chuckled, repeating Brian’s words from earlier. “Sadly, you can’t take it for a spin until tomorrow. Tuck said he would get helmets custom made.”

“With little rainbows and the word ‘queer’ in flashy pink written on them?” Brian rolled his eyes, putting Justin back on his feet, but keeping his hands on his ass. “Anyway, you better call Tucker and tell him to reschedule,” he said casually.

“Why is that?” Justin's stomach did a flip. His carefully made plan had a big hole. He hadn’t even entertained the idea that Brian would want to do something special for his birthday.

“We’re going to Vermont.”

Justin gasped, staring at Brian with wide eyes. He wanted to laugh and cry and scream at the same time.

“I can see you’re surprised. Good. I was afraid you caught on what I was talking on the phone the other day with the accommodation.”

“You’re fucking unbelievable! You hate your birthday!” Justin gesticulated wildly.

“I thought it would be a good opportunity to have a few days for ourselves. We’re leaving later today.”

“I…fuck.” Justin ran a hand through his hair. “I guess it’s too late to tell you I was preparing a surprise party for you. I even invited the girls and Gus…”

Brian threw his head back, laughing. “Yeah, I know. You’re as subtle as an elephant.”

What!!! How?” Justin pouted. “But the weekend away…”

“I changed the accommodation for a bigger party than two people when I figured out what you were doing.”

“But…Gus just called…he…”

Brian grinned. “I gave him your number and told him to tell you as subtly as possible your party wasn’t happening.”

“Does Emmett know too?”

“Yeah, we’re also celebrating Nick this weekend, too. And for his birthday, he can have an evening of fun with his friends at the playground Emmett found.”

“I can’t believe you! How the fuck do you turn everything upside down and instead of having the desire to murder you, I want to kiss you and thank you for what a wonderful man you are!” Justin wrapped his arms around Brian’s neck. “You have no idea what a big heart you have. I love you so much,” he whispered, closing the distance between them and kissing Brian tenderly.

“I love you, too…even if you can’t keep a secret to save your life.”

“Hey, the bike is a surprise,” Justin said sternly.

“Fuck yes! I definitely didn’t expect this.”

Justin beamed. “See? There’s yet hope for me,” he added, laughing. “What gave me away?”

“What didn’t…” Brian said, amused. “I didn’t put the pieces together when you insisted on having the pool and the surrounding area cleaned, nor when you wanted to buy a grill, of all things. But when you came over at Kinnetik, and had hushed conversations with Theodore, always stopping and smiling when I approached, then the way you expedited me to pick Nick from school so you could talk to Michael in private. Need I go on? Your chats with Emmett, casting worried glances at my eyes before asking about the secret project…”

“Christ. I’m the worst,” Justin mumbled.

“You’re all right.” Brian cupped the back of Justin’s head, kissing his forehead. “Everyone will arrive later tomorrow, that’s why we’re leaving today. I want tonight just for us.”

 

 

Chapter 25 by addict_writer

 

 

They arrived at Topnotch Resort in Stowe, Vermont after midnight. They had one of the resort homes hosting three bedrooms, three bathrooms, and a kitchenette.

Justin was ready to fuck their plans at how tired he was, but Brian hadn’t looked more awake as he dragged him through the rented home until they found the room indicated as the best one by the reception desk.

Justin froze in the doorway, staring in awe at the floor to ceiling windows and the beautiful view of the mountains.

Outside it was cold enough for late May. The temperature here was a far cry from what he knew as spring weather from Pittsburgh or New York.

The double doors led to a little private balcony which had a hot tub.

“I want to test this,” Justin said eagerly, forgetting he was tired.

“I thought it was my birthday,” Brian said, amused.

“It is. I promise to make it worthwhile.” Justin winked.

He pulled his shirt off then unbuckled his cargo pants.

Brian smiled, watching how excited and happy Justin was. He had expected a full tantrum about this surprise, especially since it was a regurgitated plan of theirs from years ago. And more especially when Brian had noticed Justin had his Corvette loaded with food. He hadn’t taken into account Justin shopping for the barbecue he planned for the weekend.

They had taken some of the food with them, so it wouldn’t rot.

“Do I have to undress you? Have you forgotten how to do it yourself, old man?” Justin leered, running his hands over Brian’s abdomen under the shirt.

“Who are you calling an old man?” Brian huffed.

“You. Prove me you’re still a stallion.”

Brian barked a loud laugh, crushing Justin to his chest. “Oh, I plan to fuck you all night.”

“Actions, not words,” he said playfully, heading to the balcony. “Shit, it’s cold here.”

Brian rolled his eyes because Justin was such a baby. He followed Justin and started the jets in the hot tub.

“Where did you find this place?” Justin asked, wrapping his arms around Brian’s neck. “It’s like in my dreams. Much better than that hotel you got the last time.”

“Yeah? You never told me how it was…” Brian peered down at Justin.

“It was nothing special. Do you really think I had fun? I tried to go skiing, but all the couples around reminded me what an asshole you were. I mostly stayed in the room and in the lobby bar.”

“Shit. I want to promise you that work will never come in between us.”

Justin shook his head. “Like I said some time ago…I was a stupid kid. I didn’t know work could never come second, and it sometimes interferes with family business. As long as you talk to me and tell me why we have to reschedule, not cancel, I’ll understand,” Justin hinted, raising a brow.

“Of course. I did promise more communication.”

“And you’ve done it. I’m still shocked by this new, improved version of you.” Justin ran his hands over Brian’s biceps. “Shall we try this hot tub before my dick shrivels at how cold it is outside.”

“We don’t want that. I’ll get supplies. Get in, and try not to break your neck. It’s slippery,” Brian warned.

Brian returned soon, amused to see Justin all the way inside the tub, only his head visible.

He took the rest of his clothes off, joining his partner. Brian wrapped an arm around Justin’s back, bringing him into his side. Justin sighed in contentment, placing his head against Brian’s shoulder.

“Thank you,” Justin whispered, tangling their legs together as he rolled on top of Brian.

“What for?”

“Everything,” Justin choked out.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Brian held him close, feeling lost at the change in Justin’s emotions.

“You’ve done so much for me over the years…and I never did shit for you. Except for hurting you,” he mumbled, stroking his hands down Brian’s chest. “Don’t take my side. Because I know what a thick-head I was.”

“As if I had never hurt you, Justin. We’re both equally guilty for how much we failed in having a good relationship. I wasn’t ready for something serious and you were tired of my bullshit.”

Justin peppered kisses over Brian’s neck and his shoulders. “I was thinking…you might say I’m crazy…but I know this in my gut. We wouldn’t try so hard, multiple times, especially when we both know how much we have hurt each other.”

“Where are you going with this?” Brian combed his fingers through Justin’s hair.

“We’re soulmates.” Justin glanced up fearfully, but instead of a scowl and disgust, he found awareness and acceptance in Brian’s eyes.

“You might be right,” Brian said softly, pressing his lips to Justin’s.

Justin reached between them, slowly stroking Brian’s erection. His other hand was in Brian’s hair, gripping it tightly as he kissed him back.

“Fuck, Justin.” Brian clawed at Justin’s back, arching into his touch. “I have no idea how this gets better and better. You’d think we would be bored of each other after so long.”

“It’s because we love each other, because you have always made me burn for you. You don’t even have to touch me for me to lose my head,” Justin confessed.

“You think I don’t feel the same? From the moment I laid eyes on you, there was a tug deep in my gut and it gets to be too much at times. I want to fucking consume you.”

Justin pulled back to stare at Brian in shock. “You do realize you’ve fallen for me since you first saw me?”

“I knew I wanted to fuck you.”

“Brian, don’t fool yourself. You know what love is now. Think about it. The way you described the feeling…it was love at first sight,” Justin said, amused. “I had no idea…”

“It’s called lust at first sight.”

“Sure, darling. Call it whatever you want. Now I know we have both loved each other from moment one, though it took you a while to understand what you were feeling…and accept it, then admit it to yourself and then to others.”

“Can you tone it down with the pet names, Sunshine? It makes my dick soft.”

“I can attest it’s still hard, darling,” Justin purred, licking at Brian’s ear shell. “I know you’re a closeted hopeless romantic.”

“If you keep this up, I’m never fucking you again.”

“Empty promises,” Justin breathed against Brian’s throat, nipping at the sensitive skin. “You can’t live without my ass.”

Brian got up, throwing Justin off balance, making him sink under water for a moment.

“Where are you going?” Justin asked, surprised.

“I’m going to start living without your ass, dear. I think the bellboy looked hot and willing.”

Justin grabbed the back of Brian’s thigh, pulling him back. Brian’s foot slipped and he fell on his ass in the middle of the hot tub.

“Ow! You little shit!”

Justin seized the opportunity to climb back on top of Brian. “There’s nothing wrong with pet names. Besides, it was a joke. No need to get personally offended. Especially when you call me ‘dear’ on a daily basis. I like it, because I know it stopped being sarcastic a while ago.”

Brian sighed loudly, running his hands over Justin’s back and stopping when he knotted his fingers into Justin’s hair. He brought Justin closer, kissing him with hunger.

The kiss ignited a fire deep inside Justin, and his need to have Brian’s dick in his ass made him ache.

Brian palmed Justin’s ass, pushing a finger into his hole. Justin threw his head back, his mouth opening, allowing Brian to kiss him with ardor, making him lose his mind.

“Turn around. Lean over the tub’s wall,” Brian instructed as he got up and took the condom. After rolling it on his dick, he poured lube on his fingers then returned his attention to Justin’s ass.

“Fuck.” Justin gripped the edge of the tub, parting his knees as much as possible without losing balance.

When Brian pushed inside him after lubing him up, Justin shifted to accommodate him, ending up with his dick in front of a jet of water.

“Holy fuck!” He pushed back, shuddering. “Fuck!”

“What’s wrong?” Brian stalled, his hands on Justin’s shoulders.

“A jet is hitting my dick. I’m going to come!”

Brian reached in front of Justin to grip the base of his dick, making Justin’s back arch into Brian’s chest. “Don’t come,” he said softly, starting to move in slow and precise movements.

Justin gripped the edge of the tub, lifting his ass to meet Brian’s thrusts, feeling his eyes rolling back under the pressure of the water jets hitting the tip of his dick mercilessly. His entire skin was covered in goosebumps and the knot in his stomach was so tight he was ready to fall apart. When Brian nailed his prostrate, Justin shouted, not caring if anyone heard him. He kept gasping and moaning under the assault on his body, which made him start shaking.

“Come,” Brian’s breathy command was followed by him pumping Justin’s dick fast.

“Brian! Oh, fuck. Fuck…oh…holy fuck!”

Justin slumped against the tub’s wall, breathing harshly after they had both come undone.

Brian rested next to him, panting.

Justin managed to turn around and press against Brian’s side. “That was something else.”

Brian grinned. “You have no idea how hot you are when you get so horny and needy…”

“It felt like I was dying for a second,” Justin laughed.

“I won’t let that happen,” Brian promised, pressing his lips to Justin’s temple. “What would I ever do without you?”

“You’ll survive,” Justin mumbled, tracing a finger over Brian’s nipple. “Like we’ve survived without each other for years.”

“I’d rather never go through that ever again.” Brian tilted Justin’s head to kiss his lips.

It was a while later when they moved inside their room. Justin wrapped a towel around his shoulders, digging into the bag Brian had packed for them.

“Why are you searching for clothes? I’m not done with you,” Brian said, amused, pulling Justin away from the suitcase.

“It’s…like, two in the morning,” Justin said.

“The night is young. I swear, you’re such a grandpa. Lights out at eleven. In bed before twelve.”

“I never understood how you could party until three in the morning, fuck until five, then sleep for two hours and be fresh,” Justin grumbled.

“It’s a gift.” Brian tugged him to the bed. “You’re not going to fall asleep on me.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time.”

“Don’t remind me. The first time you cockblocked me with how exhausted you were after brainstorming for Rage with Mikey, was annoying as fuck. I never had such an intense desire to smother you with the pillow than in the moment you fell asleep while I was prepping you.”

Justin chuckled. “You totally deserved that after the way you mocked our art.”

Brian fell back on the bed, scowling. “Like Debbie kindly pointed out, I was so jealous when I found the two of you in my bed…our bed…I didn’t care about your stupid comic book.”

Justin lounged next to him, stroking his side. “I forgave you, but I was so angry when I found out. Do you realize how many conflicts we could have avoided if we ever talked like now?”

“Let’s leave the past where it is. Good or bad…it built the foundation for how strong our relationship is now.”

Justin smiled widely. “You’re right.” He made himself comfortable against Brian’s side, pulling the blanket over them. “We’re not going to sleep. I’ll just close my eyes for a moment.”

 

 

Chapter 26 by addict_writer

 

 

When Justin opened his eyes, the sun was glaring down on him. It took him a moment to remember where he was, when he didn’t recognize the room.

He spotted Brian on the balcony, his elbows on the railing, smoking and lost in thought.

A look at the phone told Justin it was barely eight, but he felt invigorated.

He wrapped the bedsheet around himself since Brian had the blanket over his shoulders.

Brian glanced back when Justin opened the door.

“The Sleeping Beauty awakes,” he joked. “Never play the ‘I’ll close my eyes for a second’ game with me again.”

“I was tired. Good morning, Grumpy.” Justin stepped in front of Brian, between his chest and the railing, kissing him slowly.

Brian kept an arm around Justin’s neck, turning to look at the mountains. He continued to smoke slowly.

“Everything okay?” Justin asked softly, kissing Brian’s throat.

“Just thinking.”

“About?”

Brian flicked ash on the ashtray on his side. “Us. The future. My insecurities.”

Justin leaned back to look at Brian’s face, and for once the poker face was gone. “Insecurities?” he repeated.

“I couldn’t sleep last night,” Brian started. “Uh, I’ve decided there are things I have to change in my life.”

“More changes?” Justin whispered, stroking Brian’s cheek with his thumb. “What worries you? I’m the happiest I have ever been,” he promised.

Brian smiled, gazing into Justin’s blue eyes. “So am I. You’re right, I like calling you that horrid pet name which started as a joke. And…” he trailed off, taking one last pull from the cigarette before stubbing it in the ashtray. “…don’t get your panties in a twist. I’ve been thinking of what the fuck am I doing with my life well before you returned in February.”

“Okay?” Justin watched him anxiously, not even allowing himself to rejoice at Brian admitting he liked to use pet names.

“Last night I had an overwhelming urge to do something I had forbidden myself my whole life. You’d have probably fainted if I suggested it when we were in the hot tub.”

They both glanced at the object, but Justin chewed on his lips. He could think only of one thing but that was absurd. Brian would never have the desire to drop the condoms.

“Tell me,” he urged.

Brian clicked his tongue, smirking and holding Justin tightly against his chest. “I want to fuck you raw. I want to feel your tight ass squeezing every last drop of cum from my dick.”

“Christ.” Justin stared with wide eyes at Brian. “We can’t have that.”

“Yeah, I taught you well. Let’s just say I revisited my priorities and I want to leave my past where it belongs. Of course, I’ll understand if you don’t want it or if you still want freedom…but I would like to see if we can do the steady and exclusive thing.”

If Justin wasn’t holding onto Brian, feeling him warm and firm under his fingers, he would have believed it was a mirage talking.

“What do you say?” Brian inquired after a few minutes.

Justin opened his mouth, but only a gasp left his throat. “I’m speechless,” he managed to say after a moment.

Brian smiled softly, pecking Justin’s brow. “I would also want us to consider making this official. And…if you are okay with this, I want to adopt Nick.”

“I need to sit down,” Justin said faintly.

Brian steered him back inside, and Justin fell in the chair by the window. He grabbed Brian’s wrist to prevent him from going anywhere. Brian knelt next to the chair, stroking Justin’s hand.

“You must think I was abducted by the aliens again, but I’ve never felt more myself, more honest to my desires…” Brian continued. “I don’t need a thousand guys to prove anything to anyone. I never did. Sure, it was the thrill, the unknown, the nameless and faceless willing holes, but I’ve outgrown it. Now I know what I need to be happy.”

Justin brought the hand encased in Brian’s hand to his mouth and kissed the top of Brian’s hand. “I love you so much, Brian. You’re the strongest and most selfless person I have ever met.”

“Hardly,” Brian scoffed.

“You are. But I know how the strongest people are also the softest and they have a big heart.”

“I also have a big dick.”

Justin squeezed Brian’s hand. “Don’t ruin this perfect moment. You know I never needed the side-fucks. Like you just said, I liked the thrill but I love you more.”

“So…we’re doing this?”

“Are you sure? It’s a big change, Brian.”

“You know I haven’t had anyone else since January. I told you.”

“Right,” Justin mumbled, playing with Brian’s fingers. “I’m the slut, here.”

“Stop beating yourself up over what you did back in March. It brought us closer.”

“It brought more than our imminent reunion. It brought back my memories,” Justin reminded Brian.

Brian’s eyes filled with tears as he leaned up to kiss Justin. “I love you, Justin.”

Justin was ready to deepen their kiss when Brian’s phone started ringing. Brian scowled, but went to get it.

“Hey,” he said curtly. “What. How the fuck did you manage?” He paced around, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Don’t move. I’ll come and get you. Yeah, share your location.”

“You have to go back?” Justin sprung up, forgetting about his bedsheet which pooled at his feet.

“Mikey got stuck on the road leading to the resort. I wonder what sort of car he rented.”

“Need my help?” Justin joined Brian at the suitcase, looking for clothes.

“Nah. I won’t be long.” He kissed Justin’s cheek.

Brian pulled on a pair of over-washed jeans and a sweater, then stepped into his boots, and hurried out with their rented Jeep’s keys.

Justin stood by the open suitcase, holding a T-shirt, still processing their conversation. Brian had thrown so much news at him, it was hard to believe it had been Brian wanting these things. But at the same time, Justin had never seen Brian speak or look more authentic in his life.

It would be a lie if Justin said he didn’t want everything Brian said, and more. And this time, he believed Brian to be able to give up tricking, to devote his love and time only to Justin, to marry him, to adopt Nick, and have a family together.

#

Justin was in the kitchen of the cabin working on coffee when he saw their rented Jeep with another smaller SUV behind, parking up front.

He grabbed his jacket and stepped into his shoes, throwing the door open.

The first to jump out of Brian’s car was a perfect replica of Brian. Gus grinned and waved at Justin, before running to him.

“Justin!”

Justin stumbled back a step at the force a fifteen year old could have. “Hey, Gus! You’ve grown up.”

“The last time you saw me I was seven,” he pointed out. “You’ve changed too.”

“I have?”

“Yeah, I don’t know…you’re different than I remember, but I was a baby back then.”

“Gus, come help with the bricks you brought with you,” Brian shouted.

“They’re not bricks. It’s my stuff.”

“What the fuck did you bring with you? It’s almost summer and we’re here for two days.”

Justin laughed loudly, patting Gus’s back. “Like father, like son.”

“I heard that, Justin,” Brian called over from the car.

From Michael’s rented car came the rest of the family - Ben, Lindsay, Melanie, and JR.

“Where’s Emmett? Or is he not coming? And Ted and Blake?” Justin asked curiously.

“They’re coming. They left yesterday. Drew is driving. They’re also bringing Debbie and your mom,” Brian explained. He came over, dropping his son’s suitcase at his feet. “Take your bricks to an empty room.”

Justin stared amused at Brian. “What about Nick?”

“Fuck. Yeah, he’s with them. I had this feeling I was forgetting about someone,” Brian said sheepishly.

“Only your future son,” Justin joked, smiling bashfully when Brian stared at him in shock. “Come on. Did you expect me to say no?”

Brian shrugged adorably, hugging him and kissing his temple.

“Stop hogging him!” Melanie chided Brian, pulling Justin into her arms. “Hello, stranger!”

“Hi, Mel,” Justin mumbled, ashamed at how he had cut everyone from his life. He soon moved to hug Lindsay, who started crying into his shoulder.

“Ooookay, enough lesbian slobber on my man,” Brian snapped, taking Justin into his arms.

But Justin squirmed away, going to hug JR and say hello to Michael and Ben.

#

It didn’t take much time to figure out the three bedrooms weren’t enough to host all of them.

Justin was amused at how much Brian had failed at simple math, and he joked that he should have consulted with his accountant on this delicate matter.

After a short debate, it was clear this resort home would host only them, along with the girls, Ben and Michael, and the children. A trip to the main lodgings solved the issue for the others. Since it was off season, they had many empty rooms.

Michael was retelling the story about how they had gotten stuck in snow when the rest of the party arrived.

Justin sprung from the couch, hurrying to open the door.

The large Hummer could have doubled as a second house if they didn’t find beds in the main hotel. But Justin didn’t care much about the macho tank Drew was driving.

He crouched, opening his arms when Nick jumped out of the backseat and started running to his father.

“Hi, honey. I missed you.” Justin snuggled him close, inhaling his scent and loving to hold his son.

“I missed you lots, Daddy!” Nick kissed his cheek. “Where’s Brian?”

Justin laughed, because his son was downright smitten with Brian. He adored him more than Justin could ever hope possible.

“He’s inside. Go and meet his son and the rest of the family. I’ll help with the bags,” Justin instructed, nudging Nick toward the opened door behind him.

“Surprise!” Emmett exclaimed from the back of the car, throwing his arms in the air.

“I can’t believe you. All of you,” Justin demanded.

“It’s a miracle Brian thought to include us, too,” Ted quipped, hoisting a suitcase from the spacious trunk.

Justin rolled his eyes, wishing that one day soon Brian’s friends would see him for the selfless man he was.

“How are you, honey?” Jennifer came closer, wrapping an arm around Justin.

“I’m still surprised this is happening. Where’s Tuck?”

“He couldn’t make it.” She grimaced, rubbing his arm. “He’s on chaperone duties….prom.”

“Must suck to be stuck around a few dozen mischievous teenagers. Did he get the helmets?”

“Yes, actually. They arrived this morning apparently. He called me earlier.”

“Where’s birthday boy?” Debbie asked, joining them.

“Inside, probably held hostage by Nick.”

“Oh, he wouldn’t shut up about Brian,” Jennifer gushed.

“Runs in family, both father and son love Brian,” Debbie said softly.

Justin grinned, remembering all of Brian’s promises. They were really going to be a family.

“Hey, Justin!” Drew came from around the car with Blake.

“Hi!” Blake smiled his way, going to help Ted.

“Right. Don’t bring the bags inside. There’s a change of plans,” Justin said hastily. “This house is too small for all of us, so you’ll sleep in the main hotel.” He pointed to the building visible behind a group of trees.

“Now you tell us?” Ted groaned.

“I didn’t realize,” Justin mumbled. “Next time Brian decides to count, you better hold his hand. I’m not sure how he expected such a large group to fit into a three-bedroom house.”

“When he told us about this resort, I thought he meant the main hotel building. That’s what Cynthia suggested because she spent a week in December here with her boyfriend.”

“I wouldn’t hold my breath for another getaway like this,” Debbie said softly. “But knowing Brian did this for you, we never know.”

“Brian did this for both of us. It was already planned for us to meet at our house. You know him better than this, Deb,” Justin said sternly.

She smiled gently. “Of course, Sunshine.”

Justin steered everyone inside.

The scene greeting them in the living area was heart-warming.

Brian was on the couch with Nick in his arms, his body angled toward Gus who sat next to him, showing him something on his phone.

“I’d shake hands but I have a forty pounds leech on me.” Brian raised a hand in salute to the newly arrived.

“I’m not a leech,” Nick protested.

Justin scowled, not a fan of how impolite his son was. “Come on, baby. Get up, and let me show you where you will sleep,” Justin said, beckoning Nick closer.

“But I already know where we sleep, dear,” Brian joked.

The whole room became quiet, and Justin wanted the floor to crack and to be swallowed in the abyss.

“I wanna stay here with Brian,” Nick huffed, wrapping his little arms around Brian’s bicep.

Brian shrugged. “I don’t mind.”

“What do I do with the goodies for the Hush-Hush Project?” Emmett broke the silence.

Brian made a show to put his hands over his ears, making Justin show him the finger, before taking Emmett to the kitchen.

“That was so rude, Daddy!” Nick shouted after him.

Justin palmed his face, making Emmett laugh.

“Did I tell you what a sweetheart your child is?” Emmett gushed, loading food into the refrigerator.

“Do you want him?” Justin joked. “He’s spending way too much time around Brian. After Debbie pointed out how much alike they are, I only see all of Brian’s bad traits reflected in Nick’s behavior. Well…not necessarily bad…more like annoying.”

“I’m sure, baby. Is this kitchen stocked? Can we work on side dishes here?”

“Yeah. I discovered this morning, there’s even an electric kettle and a toaster.”

“That’s great.”

“How did the cake survive the ten hour long trip?” Justin asked, amazed.

“Drew has a large freezer in the back of his car…you know, to keep the beer cool.”

“Of course, he has.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter 27 by addict_writer
Author's Notes:

 

 

Because I forgot to post yesterday, you get more updates today.

 

 

It didn’t take long for everyone to divide into groups.

Justin was catching up with Lindsay and Melanie, telling them about his life in New York.

Michael and Ben had JR in the corner enjoying the short time they had together.

Emmett was talking to anyone willing to listen about the fabulous wedding he was preparing for the sweetest couple of groomzillas in the world.

Debbie, Jennifer, and Blake had taken over the kitchen to plate the finger foods.

Brian was still on the couch with Nick on his lap, and Gus by his side. They were making plans for Gus’s annual stay with Brian, for a few weeks during summer break.

Sadly, Brian didn’t pay much attention to Gus, because his eyes were on Justin. He was talking animatedly with the girls, laughing and gesticulating as he usually did when he was talking passionately.

“Did you hear a word I said?” Gus groaned, punching Brian’s arm.

“Ow, you little shit!”

“Can you stop making goo-goo eyes at Justin? It’s gross. Though, I’m happy you’re back together.”

“I’m not making goo-goo eyes!”

“I think it’s cute. They are very happy,” Nick interjected.

Gus smirked, looking amused at the little boy, then at his dad. “It’s mind-boggling Justin has a kid.”

“Tell me about it.” Brian held Nick closer, stroking his back.

Brian looked after Justin when he left the room after his phone rang, and Brian was curious if the twat had more surprises up his sleeve.

Not a moment later, Justin waved him into the hallway, and Brian left Nick with Gus, joining his partner.

Justin covered the mouthpiece. “Uh, I need the exact address for Britin. I had it written in a notepad at home.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “Is this about the pony?”

“There’s no pony,” Justin hissed. “It’s Lucy, she wants to send Nick a present.”

Brian didn’t bother asking who Lucy was as he rattled out the address, and Justin repeated it in the phone.

“Yes. Around the end of next week it’s fine. Don’t worry. How are you? How’s Barcelona?” Justin abandoned Brian in the hallway, heading upstairs for privacy.

“What was that?” Lindsay asked, coming over and touching Brian’s back.

“A friend of his wants to send a present for Nick’s birthday.”

“Oh, how sweet. He’s turning six?”

“Yeah.” Brian wrapped an arm around Lindsay’s shoulders. “Everything okay in Toronto? Need anything?”

“We’re fine, Brian. Stop worrying. Did Gus get to tell you about being on the soccer team?”

“He mentioned it,” Brian said softly, proud of his son for following in his footsteps. “He also mentioned he dropped the cello thing. Good for him.”

“If you don’t like classical music, that doesn’t mean he should dislike it.”

“He still likes it of what he told me. He tried to convince me to take him to see some violinist who is touring the States.”

Lindsay laughed. “The tickets were sold out as soon as they were available. I guess he believed you’d pull in some strings…”

Brian scoffed. “For football, basketball, hockey…you get the idea, not concerts. I had a client a few months ago who asked me to take him to the Madonna concert. What the fuck do I look like? Her PR?”

Lindsay giggled, patting Brian’s shoulder, then she turned to look behind Brian. “All right?”

Brian turned to see Justin standing at the foot of the stairs.

“Yeah. It was Lucy, Nick’s mother. I haven’t talked to her since November or something. She’s moved to Spain some years ago.”

“Sucks,” Lindsay whispered compassionately.

“Nah. It’s cool. She… she’s not close to Nick. She knew she was going to leave a few months into the pregnancy. So she didn’t want to get attached.” Justin covered the steps between them, wrapping an arm around Brian. “Did I hear Gus wanted to see a sold out violinist? I’m sure I can take a wild guess who it is.”

Brian bit on his cheek not to say something sarcastic and probably ruin the happiness floating in the air.

“David Garrett,” Lindsay explained. “Have you heard of him?”

Justin pursed his lips, staring at her blankly. “Are you forgetting I was married to a violinist? Of course I know David. He’s fucking amazing. And yes, tickets are tricky to find, but I know someone who can help.”

“Oh.” Lindsay saddened, and reached out to hug Justin. “I didn’t mean to remind you…”

“It’s okay. I’m much better now.” Justin pulled back from her arms. “Brian has helped me heal,” he added, taking Brian’s hand.

Brian knew the deeper meaning of Justin’s words. He had helped Justin heal emotionally and mentally.

“I’ll talk to Gus about this later,” Justin offered. “I have to steal Brian,” he said with a smile to Lindsay.

She looked a little perplexed but returned to her wife’s side.

Justin pulled Brian up the stairs to their room.

“With the guests downstairs? I’m appalled, Sunshine,” Brian gasped.

“Don’t be an idiot. We’re not having a quickie. I brought you here so Nick wouldn’t hear, considering his hearing is trained to acknowledge words like ‘present’ and ‘birthday’.”

“Now, we are different in this department. I never cared for my birthday. But it must have been my dysfunctional family at fault.”

Justin smiled sadly, rubbing Brian’s arm. “We always made a big deal out of his birthday, but you’ll see. Not much impresses him.”

“So…what did you want to tell me?” Brian inquired.

“Right. So Lucy is sending over Nick’s present next week.”

“Spain is a long way from here,” Brian acknowledged. “What did she get him?”

“It’s a surprise. She said I would like it too.”

“Coloring books then,” Brian joked.

“Asshole,” Justin mumbled, leaning into Brian and kissing him. “I’m really sorry Nick is hogging your time with Gus.”

“I don’t mind it. It’s not like he interrupts us or anything. By the way, before I forget.” Brian threaded his fingers with Justin’s, squeezing his hand. “Gus usually comes over for a couple of weeks during summer break. We were thinking July. Maybe we can take him with us somewhere.”

“I still haven’t thought about where I want to go. If you still want South Florida, I don’t mind.”

“Okay, I’ll have a talk to my travel agent.”

“Make sure there are enough rooms booked,” Justin teased.

Brian scoffed. “Yeah, yeah. We’re keeping Nick here tonight?”

“Most likely. What about Gus and JR?”

“Gus called dibs on the sofa. His sister will probably stay with Mikey and Ben.”

“Lucky Linz and Mel.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “Whatever.”

Justin pecked Brian’s mouth, tugging him out the room. “Let’s go, before they think we came upstairs to fuck.”

They froze at the top of the stairs when they bumped into an apprehensive Gus.

Gus grimaced. “They sent me to check on you.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “Of course, so I’ll pay for years of therapy if you found us indeed fucking.”

Gus paled. “I stood here for five minutes, trying to hear something. It was quiet, so I was ready to go and disappoint everyone.”

Justin chuckled, patting Gus’s shoulder. “Tell them you found us naked.”

“Justin,” Brian cried out, surprised by the brazenness of his partner.

“What? I want to hear their comments and see their faces. Go ahead,” he urged Gus.

“Tell them we’ll be right there. I have to pull out,” Brian joked.

Justin slapped Brian’s forearm, laughing.

“You, freaks.” Gus hurried back down the stairs.

Brian led Justin downstairs, listening to Gus telling the family about finding them naked and how they had to detach in order to come down.

Justin stopped Brian before entering the living room, kissing him roughly and rubbing his hands through his hair, making it stand up in all directions. “There, so you look freshly fucked.”

“What sort of behavior is this, Justin?” His mother exclaimed, scandalized, when they stepped into the living room holding hands.

“I don’t know if I’m surprised or disappointed,” Lindsay muttered.

“I had faith Gus would find you simply talking. Now I feel bad,” Michael said, wincing.

“Christ,” Debbie moaned. “Can’t you see they are fucking with you? I’ll bet they put Gus up to tell you a story about how traumatized he is after finding them fucking.”

Brian touched his chest theatrically. “How you wound me, Deb.”

“Deny it,” she challenged him.

“Apparently our family can’t take a joke,” Justin said, amused.

“This is no joke,” Mel protested. “I expect anything from you two.”

“Kids, cover your eyes. You, undress and bend over,” Brian said sternly, making a show of lifting Justin’s shirt.

“Brian!” Justin hastily smoothed his shirt, feeling his cheeks burning in embarrassment. He took a few steps away from Brian. “I guess, after a certain age, people lose their minds.”

“I wouldn’t know. You should ask Theodore,” Brian said cheerfully.

Blake narrowed his eyes at Brian. “Ted ages like fine wine.”

“Some wine turns into vinegar,” Brian bit back.

Ted touched Blake’s chest. “You know better than to start an argument with Brian.”

“I was talking about you, dear,” Justin said sweetly, rubbing Brian’s arm. “Definitely memory problems. You can’t even do basic mathematics. You wanted all of us to fit in this tiny place.”

“I love being insulted on my birthday, did I mention that?” Brian sneered.

“Dang. I missed the occasion since it was yesterday. We’ll have to wait until next year now,” Justin said, amused.

“You’re a twat,” Brian muttered, strolling to the couch and falling next to his son.

“I’m hungry,” Nick said loudly, shuffling to his father’s side.

Justin stared at his son in surprise. It was rare when he asked for food, but he probably hadn’t eaten much in the past day.

“How about we all eat?” Justin asked.

#

Ben and Drew took over the meat while Justin coaxed Nick to eat some cold cuts in the meantime.

Debbie and Jennifer came to the rescue when Justin was at the end of his wits.

He leaned back in his chair, watching as Nick’s grandmothers, as he had named them, tricked him into trying some of the food before the main course.

“Relax,” Brian whispered into his ear, cupping his shoulder and leaning down to kiss him.

Justin looked up at his man, touching his hand. “Sit.” He pointed to the chair next to him. “Everything okay?”

Brian sat next to Justin, placing his phone on the table. “Cynthia just said the new kid is starting on Monday.”

“What? Only now? I heard you talking about this last month.”

“It was a few weeks ago, Justin. The plan was for him to start at the beginning of June, but Cynthia wants to have him prepared for the big accounts I have scheduled to meet in June.”

“I see. What can I say…good luck?”

“I’ll need it. Especially considering I have a new potential client coming over on Monday.”

“Good. Throw him into the lion’s den.”

Brian laughed. “I’d like to keep him, to make sure Cynthia remains sane.”

Justin pursed his lips. “Can we not talk about June, though? For some reason, I’m nervous as fuck.”

“It will be okay.” Brian rubbed Justin’s arm. “You’ll be amazing.”

“You’re hogging the birthday boy,” Michael said from behind their chairs.

“We wouldn't want that.” Brian rolled his eyes, tugging on Michael’s arm, making him lean over Brian’s body. “Join us, while Ben is showing everyone his grilling skills.”

Michael shook his arm free, pulling a chair closer. “So…Jenny wants to go to Disney.”

Justin nudged Brian’s knee with his, grinning.

“No way in hell!” Brian shuddered.

“When do you want to take her?” Justin asked, turning all the way to face Michael.

“Well, I don’t know. We haven’t discussed this.”

Justin beamed. “We were talking about taking Nick and Gus to South Florida for the summer break, but a stop to Disney World is not a bad idea.”

“It’s a terrible idea! Besides, everything is expensive as fuck, it’s hot as hell, and way too crowdy,” Brian complained.

Michael gasped. “Right. You took Gus some years ago.”

“You did?” Justin started, amazed, at Brian.

“It was the worst experience of our lives. If you ask Gus, he’ll probably rather have his nails pulled than go there again. I’m surprised he didn’t tell his sister about it.”

“As if Jenny ever listens to him…or anyone,” Michael mumbled.

Brian clicked his tongue. “She takes after someone I know.” He wrapped an arm around Michael’s shoulders, pulling him closer. “Must be tough to be faced with the mirror image of yourself.”

“You’re one to talk,” Michael huffed.

“Gus is nothing like me.”

“But Nick is a lot like you. It’s scary sometimes,” Justin supplied, laughing.

“I’ve noticed, and especially how close they are.” Michael smiled, stroking a hand through Brian’s hair.

Brian slapped his hand away, but he didn’t seem upset.

Justin watched them with a smile, enjoying seeing them so happy. He reached over and took one of Brian’s hands, squeezing it.

Michael glanced at the natural gesture, amazed how at ease both Justin and Brian were.

“So…a big no to Disney. If you want to join them, be my guest. Gus and I will wait for you in the hotel room,” Brian said.

“I’ll think about it and let you know, Michael,” Justin said seriously.

Nick squeezed in between them. “I need to pee.”

“I’ll take him,” Brian laughed. He took Nick’s hand, leading him out of the kitchen.

“Damn…” Michael stared after them, intrigued.

“I told you. They clicked from the first moment. Maybe it was when Brian gave Nick his phone to listen to classical music to fall asleep, or Nick’s compassion for Brian having his foot injured.” Justin shrugged, picking his glass with a contraption made by Emmett. It had more alcohol than juice.

“Classical music on Brian’s phone?” Michael repeated loudly.

“Yes. On the first night at Daphne’s. Nick couldn’t sleep…and Brian offered him his phone, selecting a violin music playlist. Nick was so thrilled, he kept praising my kind friend.” Justin rolled his eyes, making Michael laugh. “I kept telling Nick that Brian wasn’t my friend. I’m sure he was confused when we moved in with Brian, and he saw how close we got. But thankfully, he likes and accepts Brian so much he wanted us to get together.”

“I’ve heard.”

“I’m grateful he took to Brian. It would have been horrible if he didn’t like Brian. You know…”

“Yeah, I can imagine. Is he better? With the whole thing?” Michael asked carefully.

“Sometimes he still asks about Ethan, but it got much better.” Justin looked up when Brian returned with Nick. His son rushed back to his grandmas, while Brian was laughing his ass off. “What happened?” He stared at Nick who was gesticulating wildly, explaining what happened.

Brian fell in his chair, wiping his eyes. “I haven’t laughed so hard in my life.” He glanced at Justin. “Let’s leave it at…Nick got a stiffy and wagged it at me, almost pissing in the whole bathroom, in his eagerness to show me what happened.”

Justin covered his face with his hands. “It’s not the first time, but it’s hilarious, I know,” he mumbled.

“This never happened with Gus, and obviously I don’t remember that far back into my childhood,” Brian said, still laughing.

Justin shook his head, catching his mother’s eyes. She was probably remembering all of Justin’s embarrassing childhood memories.

He was saved by whatever Jennifer wanted to share with the room by Drew bringing the grilled meat to the table.

Nick sat in the chair Michael had left empty between Justin and Brian, accepting food from both adults. Until Brian offered him some of the chicken on his plate.

It happened during a moment when it was quiet around the room.

“I don’t like breast,” Nick said loudly.

“Good for you,” Emmett cheered, earning disapproving looks from Justin and Drew.

Nick didn’t understand the dirty joke, and smiled at Emmett. “It’s all yucky!”

“I completely agree.” Emmett nodded firmly.

“Well, I disagree,” Mel added, grinning.

Mel,” Lindsay gasped, scandalized.

Gus banged his head to the table, his cheeks red.

“Can’t you see you’re traumatizing this poor child?” Brian groaned. “It’s okay, Gus. Just ignore Melanie.”

“What part of the chicken do you want to eat?” Justin asked Nick, hoping to steer the conversation out of the chaos zone.

“The ass.”

Brian threw his head back, laughing loudly. “Why am I not surprised?”

“You’re all a bunch of pervs,” Justin muttered, placing the desired piece of meat on a plate and handing it to Nick.

“That’s a bad word,” Nick said seriously.

“Just eat.” Justin turned to his plate, unsure how all conversations in their group of friends turned sexual in the blink of an eye.

 

 

Chapter 28 by addict_writer
Author's Notes:

 

 

Surprise! Another chapter today.

 

 

“We can take him with us to the main hotel,” Jennifer insisted.

“No, Mom. Nick stays here with us.”

“I’m just trying to help.”

“I know, but he won’t stay with you. Trust me.” Justin steered her to the front door of the cabana. “Besides, he’s sleeping. You want to take him away from me when he’s sleeping to wake up without me. The whole northern hemisphere will hear about it.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll see you in the morning.” She hurried to Drew’s car, where the others were waiting to head to the main lodging.

Brian joined Justin at the door, placing his hands on Justin’s shoulders. He pulled Justin back against his chest, wrapping an arm around him.

“Alone, at last.”

“Not quite,” Justin reminded him softly.

Brian grimaced. “Right. What was in my head to invite everyone?”

Justin turned into his embrace, wrapping his arms around Brian’s neck. “I think it’s sweet. Although, I’m looking forward to that trip we want to take…just the two of us.”

“Shit. I have to make reservations. You have no idea how difficult it is to find accommodation and tickets to the White Party so late in the year.”

“I’m sure you can find something. I don’t even need a fancy hotel,” Justin promised, kissing Brian’s mouth.

I need a fancy hotel, Sunshine.”

Justin rolled his eyes. “Of course, you do. What about the trip with the boys?”

“I’m not sure. Do you really want Orlando? I’m not joking that you won’t catch either me or Gus stepping foot in that thing ever again.”

“What about me?” Gus asked from behind them.

Justin pulled away, turning to face Gus. “We were thinking of going to Florida this summer. You’re coming with us.”

Gus brightened. “Oh! Really? That’s cool.”

“Don’t get so excited. You might end up with your sister along with her daddies at Disney.” Brian smirked when Gus paled.

“Oh…” He scowled. “Well…if you want to take Nick there, I don’t mind. But make sure to forget me home.”

“See? The hate toward Disney is mutual,” Brian said cheerfully.

Justin tried not to laugh. “Okay, okay. We’ll rethink it.”

“Good.” Brian combed his fingers through Justin’s hair. “It’s packed and it will do wonders to your anxiety.”

“I didn’t even think about it,” Justin gasped. “Yup. Not happening.”

Brian pursed his lips, not happy Justin couldn’t enjoy something he really wanted to experience apparently.

“So, I’ll take the couch. If you can take Nick from there.” Gus waved to the living room.

Brian saluted him military style. “At your service, your majesty.”

“I’ll get him,” Justin said, but he managed only two steps before Brian stalled him.

“Allow me.”

Gus moved closer and hugged Justin tightly. “You have no idea how happy I am you are back. I might be the only person Dad talked to about you, but he always said praises and that you made the best choice for your future.”

Tears sprung into Justin’s eyes. “He’s been too kind,” he mumbled, watching as Brian carried a still sleeping Nick up the stairs. “I better go. Good night, Gus.” He kissed the boy’s forehead.

In their room, Brian was tucking Nick onto the fold-out sofa.

“Oh, I thought he would sleep with us,” Justin whispered.

“You’d kick both of us out of the bed at the way you move in your sleep,” Brian joked.

“Admit it. You want the bed to ourselves for other reasons.”

Brian stared incredulously at Justin. “Maybe you are the deranged one out of the two of us. Your child is right here!” Brian pointed to Nick.

Justin could feel his face burning in embarrassment. “Shit. I’m a monster.”

“No, you’re just horny.” Brian kissed him slowly.

They took their time to get in bed. Justin went to get water from the kitchen and bumped into Melanie, and they chatted for a while. When he returned to their room, Nick was awake and asking about him.

Brian freed the spot next to Nick, and Justin took it gratefully.

“Where is everyone?” Nick asked sleepily.

“They went to the main hotel. They’ll be back in the morning.”

Then Nick fell back on the sofa and went back to sleep.

“That’s so like you,” Brian laughed. “I’d believe you are awake and start talking to you, then you’d be fast asleep the next second.”

“It’s a gift,” Justin said, amused. “I had no idea how inconvenient this was until I was confronted with the situation when waking Nick…or when he woke up during the night.” Justin pulled his shirt off and got in bed next to Brian. “For his birthday last year, we had planned to visit the Statue of Liberty. We woke up late, and while I made sure we had everything packed for the day trip, Ethan went to wake Nick, who even promised to be dressed in ten minutes tops.” Justin palmed his face.

“I saw how he gets dressed by himself…” Brian chuckled. “He still needs assistance.”

“Yeah, well…at least, he’s trying. So there we are waiting for Nick, when I go thundering into his room to scold him for tardiness. Obviously he was fast asleep, and I wanted to strangle both him and Ethan. We were on a tight schedule to catch the ferry taking us on the island.”

“Which you missed.”

“We didn’t even leave the house because Nick said ‘Fuck the statue,’ and turned on his other side when I kept trying to wake him.”

Brian laughed silently. “Did he actually say that word?”

Justin grimaced. “Yes. Sadly, he knows a colorful variety of swear words from me.”

Brian held his palm up. “High five,” he said, amused, when Justin stared at his hand. “I brought you up well. Gus learned how to curse from me.”

“You know this is not something to be proud of?” Justin rolled his eyes, intertwining his fingers with Brian’s.

“Pride is a sin, but I’m going to Hell anyway.”

“No, you’re not,” Justin whispered hotly.

Brian pushed Justin until he was laying in the bed and got on top of him, kissing him wetly.

“I thought we agreed to not fuck,” Justin said into Brian’s mouth.

Brian groaned, flopping on his back. “My one reminding ball might fall off.”

“Don’t be dramatic.” Justin slapped the back of his hand to Brian’s chest. “Sleep.”

#

Brian was up after what felt like a few minutes of sleep, but his phone told him he had slept for about three hours. For reasons he wasn't sure, he craved some of his cake. Debbie had outdone herself in baking him a chocolate cake with chocolate chips and melted chocolate. Considering he rarely indulged himself sweets, Brian decided to enjoy his birthday weekend with more cake.

“Where you going?” Justin slurred, cracking an eye open.

“Go back to sleep. I’ll be back in a minute.” Brian kissed Justin’s brow, convinced Justin wasn’t fully awake.

Brian tried to make as little noise as possible on his way to the kitchen, considering the living room was a few feet away and the area was an open space. He could hear Gus sleeping soundly on the sofa.

Brian grabbed the last piece of cake, leaned against the counter, as he ate from the plate.

He allowed his mind to wander to his promise to himself and to Justin about settling down. The idea had never brought him such a sense of calm as it did in that moment. He was ready to embrace his life as a family man.

Brian tried not to think of the things his friends would say when they figured out what was going on, but he didn’t care. He had never cared what others thought because he had always lived his life the way he wanted. There was not much he regretted from his past, maybe only the way he had treated Justin and how he hadn’t realized what he had in his relationship with Justin. And when he did, it had been too late, because he lost Justin.

“I can’t believe it.” Justin's shocked whisper pulled Brian from his thoughts. “You snuck out of bed to eat cake at three in the morning.”

“It’s some damn good cake,” Brian said defensively. He offered his fork to Justin, who accepted it.

They ate in silence, until Brian chuckled, placing the empty plate in the sink.

“You have a big smudge of chocolate on your nose,” he whispered, and before Justin could clean his nose, Brian leaned down and licked the chocolate.

That gesture made Justin attack him with hot kisses and his hands all over Brian’s body.

Brian turned him around, bending Justin over the counter. He pushed a hand inside Justin’s sleep pants, not surprised to discover the lack of underwear. His fingers went to Justin’s hole, who gasped loudly.

“Shhh,” Brian hissed.

“Fuck,” Justin breathed. “Tell me you have a condom.”

“I don’t, but I could get one,” Brian said slowly. He rolled Justin’s sleep pants down and knelt behind him. He parted his ass, licking at his hole.

“Fuck the condom.” Justin pushed back into Brian’s tongue. “You wanted it raw yesterday.”

Brian pushed a finger into Justin, feeling his balls already drawing up. The tight knot in his stomach was ready to spring free, and he hadn’t even gotten inside Justin.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. Fuck, yes.”

Brian went back to rimming his partner, trying not to think too much about what they were about to do. It was a big step.

When he deemed Justin somewhat ready, Brian stood. He pressed against Justin’s back, pushing his clothed erection into his ass. “I’m going to fuck you so hard.”

A cushion collided with the back of Brian’s head. It made him turn into the direction it came from. Gus had a hand in the air. The only thing visible from behind the back of the couch.

“Why did you stop?” Justin moaned, turning to stare with wild eyes at Brian.

Brian nodded to the sofa. Now Gus had his middle finger in the air.

“Sorry, kiddo,” Brian said, while Justin pulled his pants up hastily.

“I’ll need eons of therapy,” Gus grunted.

Justin tugged Brian back upstairs, and stopped on the top floor landing. He leaned against a wall. “Fuck, that was embarrassing.”

“You’re still hard,” Brian said into his ear, pushing him into the wall.

“Do you want someone else to walk in on us?”

“Everyone is asleep.” Brian slipped a hand in the front of Justin’s pants to rub his dick. “I’m going to fuck you.”

Justin pushed his pants down enough to give Brian access to his ass. They used spit and precum as lube. Justin wrapped his legs around Brian as Brian lifted him up, nudging his hole with the wet tip of his dick.

“My God!”

Justin threw his head back, glaring at the ceiling because all deities were against them fucking.

Lindsay was in the middle of the hallway, her hands over her eyes.

“If I told you to pass by like nothing is happening, would you?” Brian hissed through his teeth.

It took all of his strength to keep from breaching Justin and go to the Promised Land.

“You’re…What if one of the kids sees you?”

Justin squirmed, attempting to get down, but all that he managed was to make the tip of Brian’s dick slip inside him.

“Fuck,” Brian spat, pulling away.

Justin turned around to rearrange his clothes. “Sorry, Lindsay.”

“I need a cold shower,” Brian muttered, heading into their room.

If this was a sign about them not fucking raw, he understood it clearly.

Justin joined him in their room, throwing himself on the bed, face down.

“I want to die.”

“Don’t be a twat. You want to come, there’s a difference.”

“I’m so fucking horny, thanks for that,” he mumbled into the pillow.

“We have an adjoined bathroom.” Brian pointed to the door, which he noticed it was open, and light spilling from inside the room. Then he saw Nick wasn’t on the sofa.

He went to check if the boy was in the bathroom, and sure enough, he found him washing his hands.

“I had to potty,” Nick explained. “I think I have the runnies.”

“I WANT TO DIE!” Justin yelled.

Brian rolled his eyes, taking Nick back to his bed. “Did you pack meds?”

“My bag of pills is there, but I don’t have anything for diarrhea for sure. You packed, dear,” Justin sneered, rolling out of the bed. “How bad is it?” He joined his son.

“My tummy hurts.”

“I figured that. I mean…how did you poop?”

“I didn’t.”

“Then you’re constipated. You don’t have the runnies,” Justin groaned. “I told you not to eat two pieces of chocolate cake.”

“But it was soo good.” Nick pouted, coiling into himself.

“It’s true,” Brian agreed.

“I’m going to check if Lindsay has anything,” Justin mumbled.

Brian sat next to Nick, rubbing his back. “We’re sorry we weren’t here when you woke up.”

“Where were you?” he inquired.

“We ate cake,” Brian admitted part of the truth.

“It hurts,” Nick moaned.

Brian pulled the boy on his lap, rubbing his tummy. “Justin is trying to find something to help you.”

By the time Justin returned, Nick had dozed off.

“I only got some tea from Ben. I had to brew it and cool it,” he explained in a whisper. “How is he?”

“In pain,” Nick said into Brian’s shoulder.

“Aw, baby. Come here. Drink from this cup.” Justin handed his son the cup of tea, warily. He knew how Nick didn’t like tea, but he accepted anything to get better.

Nick sniffed at the aroma coming from the tea. “Smells nice.”

Justin sighed in relief.

Brian watched the whole scene intrigued. Nick sipped from the cup, then took several big gulps.

“I don’t feel anything.”

“It’s not instant,” Justin groaned. “Give it a few minutes.” He sat on Nick’s other side, wrapping an arm around both him and Brian.

“It reminds me of a special tea you tried to force on me.”

“At least, we know this one will work. Ben drinks it all the time,” Justin said seriously.

A few sips later, Nick handed Brian the cup.

“I don’t need it, you have to drink it all.”

“Yucky.”

“You want to get better? This will help,” Brian insisted.

“Just put the cup to your mouth and down the whole thing,” Justin encouraged him, stroking his back. “And no more chocolate for you.”

Nick pouted, staring desolate in the cup, then did as Justin instructed. He shuddered, pushing the empty cup in Brian’s hands.

Brian placed it on the arm of the sofa, taking both father and son in his arms. “Try to sleep.”

In reality, it was Justin who ended up asleep. Nick stirred after about an hour of shut eye, glancing at Brian.

“Need to go?” Brian checked.

“I think so. Come with me?”

These were things Brian hadn’t experienced with Gus, but Lindsay had told him life with a child was unpredictable and had good and bad moments. Brian guessed these were the bad moments.

When he found himself closed in the bathroom with Nick stinking up the whole room, Brian realized why he had never wanted children.

Once Nick was done, they went to bed. They left Justin asleep on the sofa, while they got under the blanket on the bed.

 

 

Chapter 29 by addict_writer
Author's Notes:

 

 

Last update for today =)

 

 

Morning brought a sight for the sore eyes for Justin. He wasn’t sure where he was at first then he realized he had fallen asleep on the sofa. He looked around and found Nick and Brian snuggled in bed under the blanket, fast asleep.

Justin hoped his son had learned his lesson about eating so much chocolate, but he knew it would happen again.

He made his way downstairs, and found Ben with Gus at the kitchen table. Gus shot him a disgusted look, and Justin winced, working on coffee.

“Morning,” Ben greeted him.

“Morning.” Justin brought his cup of freshly brewed coffee to the table, sitting next to Gus. “We’re sorry about last night.”

“Yeah, right.”

“If you want to know, karma worked wonders because Nick didn’t feel well.”

Gus took a sip from his orange juice. “Oh, no! What happened?”

“Too much cake. By the way, thank you so much, Ben. I’m never letting Brian pack for trips.”

“Did it work?”

“I have no idea. I fell asleep.” Justin felt terrible while admitting that. “He drank the cup of tea I made him.”

“Did you make him a whole cup?”

“Yes.”

Ben pursed his lips. “Didn’t I say half of it? I don’t remember.”

“You didn’t, but since he’s sleeping, I believe it worked. The last time this happened was on Christmas last year, and he kept us up the whole night,” Justin explained.

“What’s the plan for today?” Gus asked.

“Our plane leaves at five,” Justin said. “What do you want to do?”

“I don’t know. See what’s around this resort.” He shrugged, finishing his juice.

“I’ll go and check if Michael and Jenny are awake,” Ben decided, getting up.

“I’m really sorry about last night,” Justin insisted when it was just him and Gus.

“Whatever. It was funny. At first, I thought I was hearing things.” He grimaced, meeting Justin’s eyes. “Can’t say I wanted to hear that, but it wasn’t worse than hearing my moms.”

Justin shuddered. Poor kid had to grow up with two lesbians under the roof and hear them going at it.

“Anyway, I heard you wanted to see one Mr. Garrett in concert. I might be able to get tickets,” Justin said cheerfully.

“Yeah? Really?” Gus stared at him in awe.

“Yeah.” Justin nodded emphatically. “I’m not sure what city, but I hope it’s not a problem if I can't find tickets for Pittsburgh or Toronto.”

“New York is fine, too,” Gus quipped.

“Well, it might be another city. I’ll let you know.”

“Just get the tickets. I don’t care where we go. Just us? Or should we ask Dad, too?”

“Uh, he’s not a fan,” Justin said softly.

“Yeah, I know. He bitched a lot a couple years ago when I started taking cello lessons. I’m even afraid to tell him my new thing is violin, all thanks to discovering artists like Garrett and Rieu.”

Justin smiled, knowing deep down that Lindsay and Melanie had done the correct thing in upbringing Gus, but Brian wouldn’t appreciate it.

“They’re pretty amazing, huh? I also like Lindsey Stirling,” Justin told Gus.

“Oh, yes! She’s awesome! And pretty, too.”

Justin rolled his eyes. “If you say so.”

Gus snorted. “I forgot who I was talking to. I can talk girls with my moms, but not with Dad…or you, apparently.” He pouted.

“Hey, I’m just saying I don’t see it.” Justin cupped Gus’s shoulder, but Gus shrugged him off.

“Don’t start,” he groaned. “And don’t tell Dad.”

“Tell me what?” Brian asked from the doorway. He had Nick in his arms, clinging to him like a monkey.

Justin hurried to take his son. “Hey, baby. Did you sleep well? How are you feeling?” He also made sure to step on Brian’s foot when he was about to answer for himself.

Nick turned to Justin, who picked him in his arms. “Better,” he mumbled into Justin’s neck. “I want home.”

“I know Drew wanted to leave after breakfast,” Brian said. “If you want to go with him…”

“I’m not sure. I mean, what about you?” Justin touched Brian’s elbow, looking at him, worried.

“I’m a big boy. I’ll arrive home before you, anyway.”

“That’s the thing. I’d rather get Nick a plane ticket and have him fly with us.”

“Let me get one,” Brian said, sitting next to Gus. “Morning, kiddo.”

Justin took Nick to the couch. “Does it still hurt?”

Nick shook his head, burrowing further into Justin, which meant he was close to falling back asleep.

“Brian was real nice. He came with me last night.”

Justin felt awful for not being awake when his son needed him, and Brian had to be stuck with Nick in the bathroom. He knew first-hand how that was.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there.”

“It’s cool, Daddy. Brian was there.”

Justin rubbed his back, refraining from saying he should have been there, not Brian. But according to Brian, he wanted to adopt Nick, so he had to be involved in the good and the bad. This was the worst.

Nick’s heavy breathing led Justin to believe he had fallen asleep.

Brian joined them several minutes later. He handed him the cup of coffee he had forgotten in the kitchen. “I got Nick a ticket for our flight.”

“Thank you. For last night, too.” Justin winced, sipping from his cup. “He’ll be fine.”

“I know. He’s a tough kid.”

Gus came to sit on Justin’s other side. “I’ll text you my email address to keep me informed about the ticket.”

“Sure. I’ll call one of my friends tomorrow…granted, if he can work miracles. Don’t get your hopes up,” Justin warned.

Gus nodded somberly, and Justin knew he had to do everything in his power to find tickets to the concert.

Gus focused on his phone, and Brian caught Justin’s eyes, lifting a brow.

“You know what Lindsay told us about the concert Gus wants to attend…” Justin mouthed.

“Oh.” That was all Brian had to say, and Justin understood him. Part of Brian’s hatred toward classical music was because of him.

#

“Briaaaan, your phone,” Justin shouted.

All he wanted was to sleep for another hour, but it seemed that someone had lost Brian at the crack of dawn.

Brian hurried from the bathroom with a towel around his waist. He snatched his phone from the charger.

“Good morning, Cynthia,” he said so sweetly, Justin could taste the sarcasm. “Fuck. That sucks.” Brian pulled the towel from his body to dry his hair. “What’s his name again? Right. Of course. Okay, we’ll handle it. You take care.”

Justin watched as Brian threw his phone on the bed, finishing drying himself. “Everything okay?”

“It’s Daniel’s first day. And she can’t make it.”

“The new guy? Her help?” Justin asked, rolling on his back and closing his eyes.

“Yeah. I can’t babysit his ass. I have three meetings and he won’t know shit.”

“But what’s wrong with Cynthia?”

“The happy time of the month.”

“I’m sure it’s unhappy if she’s staying home,” Justin mumbled.

“Don’t fall asleep. You’re taking Nick to school today.” Brian threw the damp towel at Justin.

Justin groaned, pushing the towel away. “A few more minutes of sleep.”

Brian focused on getting dressed, casting amused glances at Justin who managed to fall back asleep. He went to check on Nick, and found the little boy in his bathroom, attempting to brush his teeth.

“Morning. Need help?” Brian asked from the doorway.

Nick shook his head, toothpaste dripping down his chin.

“I’ll be downstairs. Your dad is still sleeping.”

Nick showed him a thumb up, grinning around his toothbrush.

When Brian made it downstairs, he checked his phone again, noticing Cynthia had sent him details about Damian and his phone number, with a PS begging Brian to go easy on him because she didn’t want the kid to quit from the first day.

“I know what I want for my birthday,” Nick said loudly, joining Brian in the kitchen.

“What’s that?” Brian asked, distracted, as he worked on coffee and wrote Ted a lengthy text message about being on babysitting duties today.

“Sleep,” Nick explained. “I want to sleep.”

Brian laughed, turning to face the boy who looked barely awake. He was so alike Justin in that department. “School lets out for the summer this Friday. Anyway, you have to get used to this. You’ll have to wake up early when you get older.”

“No, I have a plan. I’m going to own my company and sleep until noon.”

“It doesn’t work like that, Nick. I own my company, and I have to get there at the same time as everyone, sometimes earlier…and there are long hours after the shift ends.”

“Adult life sucks,” Nick sighed loudly.

“You got that right.” Brian poured himself coffee, sitting next to Nick at the table. “Aren’t you hungry?”

“I want to sleep for eternity.”

“Same,” Justin grumbled, joining them. He leaned over Brian to kiss his lips.

“Like I was saying, school lets out this Friday,” Brian insisted.

“And I’ll be busy with the show. I’m not ready. I have one more painting to finish,” Justin said, trying not to panic.

“Do I have to wake up early for the party on Saturday?” Nick asked in a wary voice.

“Yeah, but not this early,” Justin explained. “You’ll get to sleep in for three months after this.”

Brian lifted a brow at him, because there were going to be days when they would have to be up early. Especially if they went on holiday.

#

By the time Brian made it to Kinnetik, he was already on the phone with his first client who wanted to come earlier.

“Of course, Mark. I just arrived, and we can hold the meeting as soon as you can,” Brian promised his old client. Though, on the inside, he was having a meltdown because he knew the Art Department didn’t have anything ready.

When he stepped into his office, he found a Starbucks cup of coffee next to his laptop. He couldn’t remember having a to-go coffee on Friday, or leaving the mess behind.

“Okay, I’ll be there in fifteen,” Mark said.

After hanging up, Brian sat down, ready to dispose of the cup only to notice it was hot.

“Good morning, Mr. Kinney,” a small voice said from the partition leading to Cynthia’s desk.

A young boy made his way to him, looking ready to shit his pants. Brian had no idea what Cynthia had told this kid about their boss, but he seemed terrified.

Brian opened the lid of the coffee, amazed to find an Americano mixed with milk by the looks of the color.

“A tall Americano with almond milk, and three packs of sugar. Ms. Morrison said it’s the way you drink it.”

“Thank you. I’m sure Cynthia also told you she’s not making it today.”

The boy nodded fearfully.

Brian sighed because being thrown into a busy day of the kid’s first day wasn’t fun. He could clearly remember his first day at the first ad agency he had worked at. He was treated like shit and the boss turned out to be a big asshole. Brian promised himself to be patient with this boy.

He picked the landline phone’s receiver then dialed an interior number. The call connected after two rings.

“Morning, boss,” Ted’s amused voice answered.

“Good morning, Theodore. Where is Amy?”

“Probably running late. I’m at her desk with Steward. Do you need anything?”

“I need someone to show the new kid how to prepare the meeting room for my first client. In five minutes,” he added.

“I’ll do it. Where’s Cynthia?”

“Not coming today. He’s in my office now,” Brian said then hung up. He met the boy’s wide, black eyes. “You’ll be fine. Just don’t pour coffee on anyone.”

He nodded seriously. “I used to bus tables in college.”

“Sweet. You have that in common with my partner,” Brian joked. “Let’s get through this first meeting then I will show you around,” he said just as Ted arrived in his office. “Theodore, this is David.”

“Damian,” the boy mumbled.

“Damian, right. This is our accountant, Mr. Schmidt,” Brian continued unperturbed, but he made a mental note to try and remember the boy’s name.

Ted departed with Damian, while Brian had enough time to get everything ready for the meeting.

A call to the Art Department made Brian’s blood pressure raise when he heard the story boards weren’t ready.

“And when will they be ready?” He sneered, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“Uh…uh….neither Phil, nor Amy have arrived yet,” the intern mumbled.

“Oh. Then you come to the meeting.”

“When?”

“Now,” Brian barked. He hung up, taking a calming breath when he saw his client headed toward his office.

He strolled to the glass door and opened it. “Good morning, Mark.”

“Hello, Brian. Thank you for accepting me earlier. I’m swamped the whole day.”

“Nonsense.” Brian clapped Mark’s shoulder. “Let’s go.” He guided Mark to the meeting room, feeling more unprepared than ever before. “How are you?”

“I’m divorcing my wife,” Mark said mournfully. “That’s why I moved our meeting. My lawyer could do only ten today, and the faster this is over, the better.”

“Ouch. I’m sorry,” Brian said sincerely. Mark had always spoken with love about his family.

“It wasn’t working, though I’ve been trying for years. She cheated with her coworker. By which I mean, Laura has been seeing this guy for the past three years.”

“Fuck. That’s awful.”

Mark shrugged. “When she told me she was pregnant, I knew we had to do this. I don’t think I ever told you, but I can’t have kids.”

Brian could only think of all the times they had talked about Gus. “You never told me.”

“Anyway, let’s talk business. Did you manage to work miracles in the past week?”

“Yeah, right.” Brian pushed the door open for the meeting room.

Damian was just bringing a big coffee pot to the side table, which reminded Brian of his cup on his desk.

He went closer to the boy. “Bring my coffee, please. I forgot it on my desk.”

Damian nodded nervously then tripped over his feet on his way out.

“New assistant?”

“His first day, and Cynthia is home. I hope he won’t quit at the end of the day.”

Mark laughed. “He’ll be fine.”

 

 

Chapter 30 by addict_writer

 

 

After specifically going to bed at a decent hour to be able to get up early and prepare breakfast for his son on his birthday, Justin was up in the middle of the night.

He sat up on the bed, confused why he was awake. Then he started sneezing so much it woke Brian.

“Bless you,” Brian said amused.

“Not funny,” Justin mumbled, scratching his nose as he searched for paper tissues on the nightstand.

“Should I close the window?” Brian offered, already getting out of the bed.

“I hope I’m not getting sick,” Justin moaned, sneezing some more.

“You’re probably cold. The temperature dropped during the night.” Brian closed the window and drew the drapes shut.

Justin took a moment, as he scratched his nose intensely, taking small breaths. He had a bad feeling this wasn’t because of the cool air in the room.

“Uh, can you bring my bag of meds from the kitchen, please?”

Brain paused on his way back to the bed. “You think it’s your allergies?”

“Some of the signs are there.”

“The whole bag?”

“Yes.”

Justin blew his nose again, when he remembered a distant conversation with Brian about the tree closest to their window. Justin hadn’t spent enough time in the past at Britin to trigger his allergies.

“Just my fucking luck,” he mumbled.

Brian returned with the bag and a bottle of water, and Justin immediately went for the strongest pills he had.

“It’s the goddamn tree.” Justin waved in the window’s direction.

“Are you sure?” Brian asked, concerned.

“I’m telling you. I’m allergic to poplar trees.” Justin tried to think of a solution because ingesting half a dozen pills before bed for the rest of his life wasn’t the best idea.

“We’ll cut the fucking tree,” Brian said seriously, sitting close to Justin and combing his fingers through Justin’s hair.

“You’re crazy. We can’t cut the tree.”

“Watch me. I’ll call a company which specializes in cutting trees. Because I’m not changing the master bedroom just because of a tree. And I’m not risking your health, either.”

Tears sprung into Justin’s eyes. Only Brian could make him cry while finding the most logical solution for their problem. He sneezed a few more times, dabbing at his eyes with another paper tissues.

“Now you have an excuse about the tears in your eyes.”

Justin slapped Brian’s arm playfully. “It is my allergies, but it’s also this overwhelming love I feel for you.”

“I’m just looking out for you, Justin. What the fuck would you do?”

“Keep the window closed at all times?” Justin hinted.

“Good luck with that. This is the hottest room in the whole house. There were times in the very beginning when I wanted to choose a different one as my bedroom, but …”

Justin rubbed Brian’s elbow. “You hoped I’d return. I only chose this room because of the view,” he admitted. “And the idea of waking up with the sun bathing us in its rays while we made love in the morning was romantic.”

Brian scowled, shaking his head. “You have to live with your decision, we are not moving bedrooms. That tree will be gone by the end of the week.”

“Thank you.” Justin wrapped his arms around Brian’s neck, placing his cheek against his shoulder.

“Think you can sleep?” Brian suggested.

“What time is it?”

“A little after two,” Brian said, lowering them on the bed. He stroked Justin’s naked back. “It’s been a while since I experienced your allergies.”

“It’s been a while since they acted up,” Justin admitted, tracing patterns on Brian’s chest. “Last time it happened…I was at one of my shows, a couple of years ago. Nick was with our neighbor, because we planned on going out to celebrate. It was my best solo show, without anyone else’s work displayed. Let’s say, we ended up at the hospital after I ate peanuts and almonds.”

“Sometimes, I wonder how such a smart man can make such stupid decisions…”

“Shut up. They were wrapped in chocolate and they tasted so good. I think Ethan told me not to eat them, but it was all I could stomach due to nerves. Anyway, it was a memorable night.”

“I can only imagine,” Brian joked. “Try to sleep. Are you feeling better?”

“I’m still itchy and my nose is tickling like I’m going to sneeze, and definitely teary.”

“Did Nick inherit this from you?”

“I kept asking his doctor back in New York, but he said if no symptoms show until he is six or seven, he might not develop any severe allergies.”

“That’s a relief.”

“Tell me about it. He only gets a rash after eating fresh berries. Don’t even ask…”

Brian laughed. He pressed his lips to Justin’s forehead.

It felt for Justin like he had just fallen asleep when the bedroom door was slammed to the wall, followed by Nick’s loud voice.

“It’s my birthday! Wake up, wake up!”

“This is what nightmares are made of,” Brian mumbled.

Justin stifled a smile, sitting up slowly and making sure the blanket covered both him and Brian. “Morning, baby!”

Nick dove between them. “I turn six today.”

“I know,” Justin said softly, stroking his hair, kissing his cheeks. “Happy birthday!”

Brian pulled Nick on his chest, hugging him and wishing him a happy birthday. Then he stroked a hand over Justin’s back, meeting his eyes. “How are you feeling?”

“Great.” Justin threw him a smile, but narrowed his eyes, hoping Brian wouldn’t worry Nick with questions about his health. “Do you want pancakes?”

“I think so,” Nick said, shrugging.

“How about we go to the diner for breakfast?” Brian suggested.

Nick’s eyes widened and sparkled with joy. “Can we go to Starbucks and get that yummy muffin?”

“You’ve never been to Starbucks,” Justin groaned. “Their muffins are expensive rocks.”

“The muffins are yummy,” Nick insisted.

Brian realized the conversation was about to go downhill. He had taken Nick to Starbucks on his way to school a few times, and he hadn’t thought about the consequences. Justin always fed his son as much as possible only healthy food.

“Come on, Justin. It’s his birthday.” Brian also made sure to meet Nick’s eyes, and shake his head.

Thankfully, the child was smart, and he stopped gushing about the muffins.

“Fine,” Justin huffed. “But only because I haven’t drunk Starbucks coffee in a while.”

It took them over an hour to get ready and pile in the Jeep. Nick was in the process of attempting to get out of going to school.

“That’s not how real life works,” Justin said, amused. “You don’t get an off day because it’s your birthday.”

“In some companies, you do,” Brian pointed out.

“Anyway,” Justin said loudly. “I used to love to go to school on my birthday. It was fun. The teachers were kind enough not to pick on me, by which I mean, they didn’t make me stand up and answer whatever stupid questions they had.”

Nick sucked in a breath. “Were you excused from doing homework, too?”

Justin turned around as much as the seatbelt allowed. “You didn’t do your homework?”

Nick chewed on his lip. “I kept trying to get you to help, but you were busy.”

“We’ll work on it during breakfast,” Brian offered, reaching out to touch Justin's hand. “It was my fault for moping around after the terrible day I had.”

“Don’t blame yourself. I’m the shitty father here. I didn’t even think Nick had homework so close to summer break,” Justin protested.

Starbucks turned out to be packed at seven, which made Justin buy their coffees and the muffin for Nick, then returned to the car.

 Brian drove to the diner where they scored a table near a window.

Not a moment before they sat down, Liam appeared at their table, and Justin jumped to ask how he was feeling. Brian should have guessed Justin would take the boy under his protective wing, just like Debbie had done.

They didn’t want to order anything yet since they got better coffee than the diner could provide.

Brian focused on Nick, telling him to take his homework out so they could look over it.

Eventually, Justin took over helping Nick, while Brian sipped from his coffee. He looked around, and spotted Liam behind the counter. The boy was counting his tip, a frown between his brows.

“Hey, Liam,” Brian called, making both the boy and Justin look up sharply. “We’d like something to eat. Egg white omelet….” Brian lifted a brow at Justin.

Maybe he could help with a generous tip, because he knew Liam needed the cash.

“Nothing for me,” Justin mumbled, returning his focus on Nick’s homework.

Brian kept his eyes on Liam, trying to understand what was different with the boy. He seemed to be more tired than he usually was.

Liam leaned against the wall near the kitchen window after placing the order, checking his phone, chewing on his lips in worry.

When he brought over Brian’s breakfast, Brian caught his wrist. Liam froze, as he usually did when someone touched him.

“Hey, what’s up? How’s Peter?”

Tears sprung into Liam’s eyes, and Brian understood that the boy’s friend wasn’t faring well. “I left him with the doctor when I came on my shift. Tannis said she’d call if…if…if….” A loud sob erupted from his throat.

“Shit. What the fuck happened? I thought the doctor found the meds he needed this time.” Brian was ready to rip the asshole doctor a new one for playing with a kid’s life just because he had been dealt a bad set of cards in his preteen years.

“It’s not the doctor…Pete was feeling better. He wanted to go on the bench outside.” Liam grimaced. “He got a cold.”

“Can he ever catch a break?” Brian groaned.

A small smile appeared on Liam’s worn out face. “That’s probably one thing he will never catch. Anyway, I better go…” Liam gestured to a new customer.

“Is the doctor paid?” Brian didn’t let go of Liam’s hand. The boy shook his head, more tears pooling into his eyes. “Don’t worry about it. I’ll have a talk with Tannis. Who’s replacing you?”

“Debbie. She should arrive. I really have to go.” Liam squirmed out of Brian’s grasp, hurrying to the new patron ready for his breakfast.

“What the hell? How well do you know Liam?” Justin asked the second they were alone.

“I was the one to take him to the Center and promise to rip everyone a new one if they didn’t take care of him.” Brian cut some of his omelet, chewing slowly. “I found him in front of Babylon one night when I left early. It was winter and the kid looked close to hypothermia. I didn’t have to be a genius to know he was homeless.”

“It’s a wonder at the things you can find outside Babylon,” Justin teased, reaching over to squeeze Brian’s free hand.

Brian laughed. “Yeah. It crossed my mind to take him home, but I had no idea what to do with him. Anyway, I called a friend doctor who recommended me a fellow doctor who was discreet and did home visits at any time of day and night.”

“Liam has a friend who isn’t well?” Justin asked softly. “I remember Debbie mentioning this Peter the last time I was here.”

“Yeah. Tannis called me in the morning saying my stray rescue had left. I knew I couldn’t have any control over him, but I felt bad for not being able to help him.” Brian shrugged. “Imagine my surprise when I found him huddled in a corner of the diner with Debbie hovering with piles of food…a few days later. Liam told us he appreciated all the help but he had someone who needed all the medical care and food more than him. And that’s how I installed Liam and his friend Peter at Grassi House.”

Justin watched Brian with a soft look, because he knew what a big heart his man had.

“Peter has aids. It’s the last stages. Nothing can be done. He’s barely eighteen…” Brian explained. “Every time I look at him or Liam, I imagine that could have been you. If I hadn’t fallen for you and decided you weren’t a mere toy for me…your parents kicked you out, I didn’t want you…”

“But it didn’t happen like that. Besides, I would have survived, as best as I could. Like they did.” Justin nodded to Liam who was fumbling with his ringing phone.

Brian held his breath, gauging the boy’s reaction. The news from the other end of the line could be devastating for Liam.

Justin was on the edge of his seat when Liam cupped his mouth, slumping on a chair by the counter.

“Don’t,” Brian warned, because he had learned how Liam worked. He would flee if someone crowded him.

“I need the bathroom,” Nick announced, shifting in his seat.

Justin grimaced, but helped his son toward the bathroom, casting a worried look to Liam.

Brian busied himself with his coffee and food, checking the email he received from the Art Department about an upcoming project.

A shadow obscured his light and Brian glanced up to see Liam close to tears.

“Do you think Debbie would be upset if I left early?” His voice was surprisingly steady.

“I doubt it. Everything okay?” Brian asked.

Liam grinned widely, tears knotting at his jaw. “Peter is better.”

“That’s a relief,” Brian sighed.

“What happened? Are you okay?” Justin asked, agitated, returning to their table.

Liam surprised them by throwing his arms around Justin, who was a virtual stranger to him. “My friend is not suffering anymore.”

Brian realized what Liam had meant a moment ago. “Fuck. Can we help?” Brian asked, standing and touching the boy’s back.

“No.” Liam pulled away, wiping his tears. “I promised Petey I wouldn’t cry. He made me promise to be happy because no one will suffer anymore if this happened.”

“But you will suffer,” Justin said hotly. “You aren’t grasping the reality right now.”

Justin,” Brian said sternly, shaking his head. “I’ll take you back,” he offered to Liam. “Go, grab your jacket.”

“I’ll wait for Debbie,” Justin mumbled.

“You have to take Nick to school. Come by the Center after. Take the car.” Brian handed Justin the Jeep keys.

He went to the cook, telling him to take care of the diner because Liam had an emergency. The man had heard their conversation, and agreed without argument.

.

.

.

The day turned out to be more hectic than either Justin or Brian anticipated.

Justin wasted forty minutes at Nick’s school to chat with the teacher, and confirm last minute details for other parents regarding the party on Saturday.

When Justin arrived at Grassi House, which still amazed him how people could believe Brian was heartless after his gesture regarding the Center, he found a flurry of activity.

Liam still seemed to hold it pretty much okay, but Brian told Justin in passing, he had offered the boy a happy pill so he wouldn’t crumble in the middle of the day.

It was late in the day when everything was prepared and if they had forgotten some important step regarding the process, Tannis promised to take care of it.

She had changed her attitude toward Brian, but he wasn’t treating her any different, which proved the problem had been at her.

When Brian and Justin got in the car, it was about time to go and collect Nick from school.

“I have to head to the gallery. I promised them to talk to the curator about the show, and I can’t not go,” he said quietly.

“I’ll drop you off then go to get Nick. Meet me back at Kinnetik. I hope Ted didn’t fuck up the deal I had to seal today.”

“I thought you had a minion who replaced you when you couldn’t attend a meeting.”

“This is a meeting I would have taken Ted to, so I told him earlier to fill in. Anyway, what do you want for lunch?”

“I might eat with the people at the gallery. Get whatever. No fast food, please.”

Brian nodded seriously. “Don’t worry. I won’t cave to Nick’s puppy eyes.”

Justin grimaced. “Right. Don’t mention the D-Thing in front of him.” Nick had tried coaxing Justin into the best present for his birthday during the flight back from Vermont.

Brian threw him an incredulous look. “What the fuck, Justin?”

“He’s been begging for it for years and now he apparently remembered about his most desired present,” Justin went on unperturbed.

“I’m afraid to ask what you mean by D-Thing,” Brian said slowly, parking in front of the gallery.

Justin threw his head back, laughing. “It’s not dick, you sick perv! It’s worse…it’s dog.”

“Dog?” Brian shuddered. “And excuse me for dick being the first thing I thought about.”

“You’re a dork.” Justin leaned over the console to kiss Brian. “I’ll see you later!”

 

“Good luck.” Brian returned the kiss, watching as Justin hurried inside the gallery.

Chapter 31 by addict_writer
Author's Notes:

 

 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Expect a few updates =)

 

 

It was early evening, and Brian had given up trying to be productive. He was currently on the couch with Nick, helping him with homework, so the boy could enjoy his birthday when they got home later.

“Brian?” Michael’s voice pulled them from the textbooks on the coffee table.

“Over here,” Brian said amused, when Michael look around confused.

“Hey, I wasn’t sure I would catch you still in the office.” Michael joined them on the sofa. “You’re helping with his homework?”

Brian rolled his eyes. “Were you looking for me?”

“Well, yes. I think I need help with marketing and advertising for my store.”

“You think?” Brian had only offered a million times to help Michael, because the comic book store was in dire need of professional help.

Justin arrived while Brian was convincing Michael to come during working hours since it was work related what he wanted.

“Daddy!” Nick rushed to Justin, clinging to his leg.

“Did you miss me?” Justin picked him up, holding him against his side.

“Yes! Brian said you were busy.”

“It’s true. I had some things to do at the gallery.”

Nick wrapped his little arms around Justin’s neck. “Now can we go home?”

Justin glanced at Brian, who was gathering the textbook and notebooks from the table.

“We did homework,” he explained. Then he turned to Michael. “Call me tomorrow after nine. I have to run this meeting with what you want by Cynthia. My schedule is hectic.”

“Okay, okay,” Michael mumbled, forlorn.

“You know I’ll make you a priority, Mikey. Just not outside working hours…and on Nick’s birthday.”

Michael gasped. “Oh, I almost forgot.” He dug into his backpack, coming out with a stuffed monkey. He went to offer it to Nick, wishing him a happy birthday.

Nick smiled widely, hugging the toy to his chest.

“What do you say?” Justin nudged Nick.

“I didn't have a monkey. This is so cool!”

Justin groaned, offering Michael a tight smile. “Thank you, Michael. I swear, he does it on purpose.”

“Of course, he does it.” Brian joined them, wrapping an arm around Michael’s shoulders. “Remember how I refused to thank Debbie for…well…everything? Maybe we should leave him with Debbie for an extended period of time,” he told Justin, smiling.

“You had no idea why you should thank her because you didn’t know how a normal family functioned,” Mikey pointed out.

“True.” Brian grimaced, steering the group out of his office.

Justin caught Brian’s eyes, but for once, there was no resentment in them. Maybe he had buried all his hatred toward his parents along with them.

“Drop you off home?” Brian offered.

“Nah. I’m meeting Ben at the new Chinese restaurant; it’s close.”

“Oh. Let me know what you think. Actually, I’ll call Ben and ask. They contacted me about promoting them, but my expertise with Chinese food is limited.”

“If it’s not Thai, it’s not good.” Justin laughed, opening the back door of the Jeep and helping Nick in his seat.

“And yet…I like your jambalaya, dear,” Brian quipped.

Justin snorted loudly, closing the door and wrapping an arm around Brian’s elbow. “You’re so full of shit.”

“It’s true! That I like your cooking.”

“I know,” Justin pacified him.

Michael smiled at his friends, amazed how at ease his they were. After Justin’s rocky return from New York, everyone was expecting for a very tense relationship between Brian and Justin. It seemed, they had worked out whatever was stopping and hurting them from being truly happy. Michael had to admit, he had never seen either Brian or Justin as happy as in that moment.

“Okay, I’ll let Ben know to send you a review,” Michael said, amused, when Brian turned to look at him puzzled. “The restaurant?” He laughed at how hopeless Brian had become regarding to Justin.

“Right. Thanks, Mikey.”

“Thank you for the toy again,” Justin said.

“I remembered last minute it was your kid’s birthday. I wanted to get him something better.”

“Don’t worry. He loves the monkey.” Justin peered through the window to see Nick with his face glued to the glass. When he noticed the adults were looking, he waved brightly.

“We better go. Have fun at dinner…and later.” Brian squeezed Michael close and kissed his lips.

“Careful there, or Justin might get jealous.”

Justin chuckled. “Yeah, right.”

“He’s selective of the people he gets jealous of,” Brian joked.

“Right,” Justin mumbled. “Unless you turn into a big Leather Daddy trying to fuck my man, you’re harmless.”

Brian snorted, taking Justin’s hand. He was impressed that Justin could joke about that time.

Michael stared at Justin with wide eyes.

Brian went on his side to get behind the wheel, as Justin hugged Michael, telling him he would call with a good time for them to catch up.

“So…Mom called earlier. She was wondering if we wanted Nick to stay over on Saturday night at her house,” Justin said as he joined Brian in the car. “What do you say? Would you like to spend the night at your grandmother’s house?” He turned to Nick.

Nick shrugged. “That’s after my party?”

“Exactly,” Justin nodded, grinning at Brian. “Mom will never believe me if I ever complain about what a monster he is. He’ll be whipped after playing the whole day.”

“What will you do without me?”

Brian choked on his laugh. The things Nick could say were hilarious.

“We’ll have a party of our own. Maybe we’ll go dancing,” Justin suggested.

“And if I want to go dancing too?” Nick inquired.

“You don’t,” Justin promised him. “Just like we are celebrating your birthday that day, we’ll celebrate Brian later.”

“We already had a party for Brian.”

“And you ate my cake,” Brian joked.

Nick huffed. “Fine. I’ll go to grandma,” he mumbled.

Justin beamed at Brian, already envisioning the night filled with fun they would have.

Brian cracked up the volume on the radio, and took Justin’s hand. “So we’re going to Babylon on Saturday?”

“If you want…”

“You’re reminding me of how much I enjoyed going out to dance every night. I had no idea how tedious it would get once I owned the thing. Especially after I rebuilt it.” Brian shook his head.

“Once in a while. We need to decompress.” Justin gasped when a new song started playing. He squeezed Brian’s hand tightly as Save The Last Dance For Me filled the car.

Brian reached over to change the station, but Justin slapped his hand.

Justin closed his eyes, savoring his recently regained memories as he played the moment of their prom dance behind his lids.

“I can’t listen to this shit,” Brian demanded halfway through the song.

He clicked the CD button so the next song that started would be something safe without triggering any bad memories. Brian didn’t have any painful memories triggering songs on his playlist.

Cher came on singing about turning back time. Brian scowled at the player for betraying him that way.

“I love this one,” Nick cried out, propelling himself between the seats and turning the volume up.

Justin pressed the off button before pushing his son back.

“Put your seatbelt back and don’t you ever take it off during a car ride. You better be dying before you unsnap it again,” he spat. “Fucking shit.” He slumped in his seat, scrubbing at his face.

Brian reached out to pat Justin’s knee. Justin covered his hand, keeping his eyes out the window.

As Brian focused on the road, he remembered what Justin had told him some time ago. Nick’s birthday was on the same time as the bashing. For whatever reason, he hadn’t once thought about Justin’s prom that day…until the dreadful song.

He paid attention to how tense Justin had become, and he knew they would have a chat about prom later that night, once Nick was in bed.

Despite the tense mood during the car ride, when they reached their house, Justin was all for devoting all his time to Nick.

They opened presents which had been stored into one of the many empty rooms. Nick was beside himself to discover new games and even a console, a bicycle, and new clothes.

Needless to say, they spent most of the evening installing the console and playing some silly game.

Thankfully, around nine-thirty, Nick said he was going to bed willingly.

Justin was amazed by that, because it had been a while since he had seen his son so tired.

He was putting away the leftovers from dinner, when Brian joined him in the kitchen.

Brian caught his arm, pulling him to the middle of the room, spinning him to face him.

“What…” Justin looked into Brian’s eyes, confused.

Brian took his phone out, thumbing through it for a moment before the song from the car came on.

Justin’s eyes widened, watching his man tenderly. He almost felt bad for reminding Brian about what day it was since it was obvious he had somehow forgotten it.

Brian gripped Justin’s left hand tightly as he started leading their dance.

There was a knot in Justin’s throat as he looked at Brian, who seemed ready to crumble. Justin ran his fingers through the hair at the nape of Brian’s neck.

Brian lifted a brow then opened his mouth, but closed it fast and cleared his throat. He smiled softly, crushing Justin to his chest.

At one point during the song when Justin got overwhelmed by their combined emotions and the slow swaying, he pulled away, lifting their joined hands and twirling under them. It made Brian laugh and when Justin did a last complete spin, he dipped him low. Justin kissed Brian’s lips when they were upright again.

“I love you,” he whispered.

Brian cupped his cheeks, forgetting about their dance. “I love you more than you will ever know, Sunshine.”

Justin believed him, because he was beginning to understand how deep Brian’s feelings for him ran. “How about we move the dance between the sheets?”

Brian chuckled. “Who said romance was dead?”

Justin rolled his eyes, intertwining his fingers with Brian's, jerking him toward the door. Brian pulled him back, undoing his pants with his other hand.

“Here?” Justin glanced over his shoulder.

“Nick is sleeping.”

“Oh, whatever.” Justin helped Brian with his dress pants, leaving them pooled around Brian's ankles. He leaned closer, gripping the side of Brian's thighs, as he pressed open-mouthed kisses on Brian's erection. Justin sucked at the tip through the underwear, making Brian groan loudly. “Shhh,” Justin hissed.

“Fuck, don’t stop.” Brian kept Justin's head closer with a hand in Justin's hair.

Justin dug his fingers in the sides of Brian's boxer briefs, pushing them down his legs. His erection bobbed free, already leaking. Justin cupped the base, taking half of it in his mouth, closing his eyes. He had never enjoyed giving head to anyone, apart from Brian.

Brian pushed deeper in Justin's mouth, hitting the back of his throat. Justin focused on breathing through his nose, as he started working Brian's dick with his mouth and hands. The sounds coming from Brian's throat were all the reward he needed.

“So…close,” Brian gasped, gripping Justin's hair tighter.

Justin doubled his efforts, sticking a hand down his cargo pants, tugging at his own dick.

“Fuck!” Brian's curse didn’t sound as if he was moments from coming. It sounded terrified, if Justin was a good judge.

Justin barely managed to pull away an inch, when Brian gripped the base of his dick, while reaching down to drag his boxers and pants up. Dread filled Justin to the bones, as he turned to look behind his shoulder.

Nick was standing in the doorway of the kitchen, staring at them with all the innocence in the world, blinking confused.

“Fucking shit,” Justin muttered, covering his face with his hands.

“Tsk, tsk. You dropped your pants. Lucky, Daddy was here to help you.”

Brian barked a loud laugh, which sounded too high to be called natural. “Yeah, luckily, your dad was here.”

“What did you need?” Justin finally asked, getting up slowly. He kept a hand over his erection, constricted by his pants.

It had been a while since Nick had interrupted his sex life. All Justin wanted was to forget he had to be a responsible adult. He had to come so badly, but he also had to remember his son’s needs came first. And right then, he needed his help.

“I’m thirsty. I forgot my water.” Nick went to retrieve his glass, which sat abandoned on the counter.

“Right. Let me tuck you in.” Justin nudged his son out of the kitchen, trying to settle his rapidly beating heart and get over the mortification of being discovered in such a compromising position.

Justin didn’t even glance at Brian, because he could tell, he wasn’t happy with the interruption.

“Maybe you should help Brian, and sew his pants, like you did with mine when the elastic broke.”

Justin smiled, at how caring and worried Nick was. “I might do just that.”

In his room, Nick crawled in bed, and Justin pulled the blanket over his small body. “Sleep tight. And happy birthday, again.”

“No goodnight kiss?” Nick pouted.

Justin grimaced, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, before kissing the top of Nick’s head. The last thing he needed was to get his drool and Brian’s precum all over his son.

Nick threw his arms up and around Justin's neck when he was bent over him. “I love you, Daddy.”

“I love you, too, Nick. Now sleep.”

Nick closed his eyes, placing his arms on top of the blanket.

“Want me to tell you a story?” Justin asked, getting ready to get comfortable against the headboard, since his son didn’t seem to be as sleepy as he was earlier.

“No.”

“No? Should I send Brian to tell you goodnight, too?”

“If he wants…”

“Nick, what’s wrong?” Justin asked, afraid of what his son was going to say. He got in these inconsolable moods only when he thought of Ethan. “Is this about Pappy?” He dragged the words out as if they hurt him, because he was opening up a can of worms.

Nick snuggled closer into Justin's chest, taking a shaky breath. “I understand, I promise. You and Brian explained to me how I will never see Pappy again.”

“Okay…” Justin doubted Nick fully grasped what the word ‘dead’ meant.

“But no birthday wishes or present…”

“Nick…” Justin rubbed his son’s back, trying his best to console him and find another way to explain how Ethan was never going to be able to send presents or birthday wishes. “You see…it’s impossible for anything like that to happen.”

“I saw it in a cartoon. The others were sending messages to the ones here on Earth.”

Justin groaned. “Those are cartoons, which are not real life. FUCK!” He jumped a foot when the light flickered, before it went out, enveloping them in complete darkness.

“See?” Nick pointed out, almost satisfied.

Justin tried not to show how terrified he actually was. Rationally, he knew the things Nick was hinting at were real, but he liked to believe he would never experience such creepy stuff. Then the lights had to go and do that right as they were talking about such things.

A loud booming sound came from outside, which meant there was a storm, which explained the lights.

“Everything okay here?” Brian barged into the room, making Justin jump, startled, again.

Nick rolled around, laughing at his silly dad.

“Are you trying to kill me?” Justin protested, getting out of the bed on shaky legs. “Uh, are you going to sleep?”

“Yes. Go and be a sissy in your room.”

“Nicolas,” Justin gasped, scandalized.

“I promise to protect you,” Brian joked, wrapping his arms around Justin. “Good night, Nick.”

“G’night,” Nick mumbled, burrowing into his pillow.

Once they were in the hallway, Justin bent over, grabbing his knees, breathing through his nose. “Did the power go out?”

“Yeah. A lighting hit the electrical pole in the road. It’s a bad storm. What’s wrong?”

“Fuck. I was beginning to believe Nick is becoming a ghost whisperer or something.”

Brian steered them toward their bedroom in small steps so they wouldn’t trip. “What?”

“He was telling me how he saw in some cartoon the others sent us messages, and he was bummed Ethan didn’t do the same. I was just explaining how that’s not reality…when the lights flickered. I’m sure my heart fucking stopped for a moment.”

Brian chuckled. “And this is an old house. There were times, I was sure I could hear things.”

“Doooon’t. Not now, please. Or I’m going to sleep in the car, at the risk of being stuck by lighting.”

“Okay, okay.” Brian stopped at the foot of the bed, taking his clothes off. “Did Nick say anything? Did he see what we were doing?”

“He advised me to sew your pants so you wouldn’t lose them. He’s a thoughtful kid, that one.”

“I’d suggest we continue where we left off, but I have a feeling he’ll join us because of the storm.” Brian got in bed, keeping the blanket up until Justin joined him.

“I doubt anything you do can put me in the mood in the close future after what just happened in Nick’s room. Besides, he likes storms,” Justin explained. “I don’t.”

“I remember.” Brian pulled Justin into his arms, kissing his neck.

Brian rubbed a soothing hand over Justin’s arm. “Has this happened before?”

“What exactly?” Justin mumbled, glancing over his shoulder to seek Brian’s eyes in the dark room.

“Nick catching you.”

Justin grimaced, rolling around to face Brian. “Yes, numerous times. But one time…”

“I sense a good story,” Brian chuckled.

“It was like one of those bad sitcoms. After a day in the park, where he ate too much ice cream, he was out like the light. Exactly like we believed he’d be tonight. Anyway…” Justin hesitated for a moment, stroking Brian’s jaw. “…there were we…in bed…it was a good fuck, too. We were this close…when the door opens and Nick starts saying he has the runnies and his tummy is hurting and a lot of rambling.”

Brian laughed loudly. “I can imagine the whole thing.”

“No, you can’t. I wanted to cry, scold Nick for barging into our room without knocking, and kick Ethan’s ass for laughing.”

“I’m sure knocking was the first thing on Nick’s mind when he felt miserable,” Brian commented sarcastically.

“Yeah, but that’s how I felt in that moment. Anyway, it happened before…to answer your question. Thankfully, Nick was smaller and hopefully has no recollection.”

 

“Let’s hope he doesn’t comment on this incident around the family.”

Chapter 32 by addict_writer

 

 

The not commenting on the kitchen incident didn’t last.

In the following morning, they had to eat at the diner because the power wasn’t restored. And there was no team sent out to check the struck pole.

Brian was on the phone with the electrical company when they reached Liberty Diner.

Debbie was in her element, running around, but thankfully, she had Kiki with her.

Justin had Nick in his arms, when the boy was too sleepy to wake up properly during the car ride.

Debbie joined them just as Brian was wrapping up a heated discussion with some underpaid person from the call center of the electrical company.

“Assholes. It will be a few days, because it was a big storm,” he explained.

“Shit. That sucks,” Justin protested.

“What’s wrong?” Debbie could smell trouble from miles, as usual. “How’s the pumpkin?”

Justin snorted. “That’s how the nurse called Nick when he was born. Anyway, we stayed up pretty late. He’s tired.”

Nick rubbed at his eyes. “If I didn’t forget my water…maybe I would have slept longer.”

“Can’t sleep without your water?” Debbie chuckled.

Justin caught Brian’s eyes, suddenly dreading the way the conversation was going.

“Yes! I found Daddy giving Brian CPR when his pants dropped.”

“Someone kill me,” Justin groaned, pressing his forehead to the table in front of him.

“That sounds serious,” Debbie said, playing along. Her eyes told a different story, apart from mirth, there was a silent judging.

“Yes! Brian sounded in pain.”

“Nick, shut up,” Justin snapped.

“What?”

“Shut. Up.”

“Why?”

“To me it sounds like Justin needs to check on Brian’s condition again, soon,” Debbie insisted.

“Don’t encourage him,” Justin hissed, feeling his ears burning in embarrassment.

He peeked at Brian, curious why he wasn’t interfering. Brian was busy on his phone, but there was a smile on his lips, which meant he was half listening to them.

“Are you going to be okay taking Nick to school? The guys who are coming to cut the tree are on their way,” Brian said after a minute. “I have to go back home.”

“What tree?” Debbie asked, confused.

“Later.” Brian came to Justin’s side and kissed the top of his head, before leaning over to ruffle Nick’s hair, and lastly, he planted a loud kiss on Debbie’s cheek.

Debbie took his abandoned seat. “What the hell is going on?”

“I’ve never been home long enough for the poplar tree outside the master bedroom to trigger my allergies…before…in the past,” Justin stumbled over his words. “Brian called a company to have the goddamn tree cut when I woke up with my allergies throwing a party. It happened earlier this week, and it wasn’t the first time that tree decided to test me.”

“That’s terrible, Sunshine.”

“Yeah, and last night…after Nick found me giving Brian CPR…” Justin chuckled “…the power went out because a lighting hit the electrical pole near the house. And that happened when Nick was telling me how ghosts could communicate with us. We had a fun evening.”

“It’s true! You’re just a sissy.” Nick rolled his eyes. “I’m hungry.”

Debbie laughed loudly, making Justin cover his face with his hands.

“I swear I’m trying to teach him to be polite.”

“Brian must be a bad influence,” Debbie joked. “Pancakes? Chocolate milkshake?” She lifted a brow at Nick.

“Yes, please,” Nick said pointedly, as if to show them he could be polite.

“And for you?” Debbie got up, going to Justin’s side and combing her fingers through his hair.

“Coffee. Nothing to eat.”

“Mr. Wonderful is a terrible influence on you, too.”

“I’ve gained five pounds since I returned to Pittsburgh.”

“The horrors. You were skin and bones in February.” She squeezed his shoulder, before heading toward the kitchen.

“You were mean,” Nick declared seriously.

“Sorry?” Justin turned his attention to his son.

“You demanded for me to shut up. You heard Grandma Debbie. Brian wasn’t well, and you are very…ins-sens-sible.”

Justin had to throw his head back and laugh loudly. “I think the word you’re looking for is insensitive.”

“Whatever.” Nick rolled his eyes. “What time is it?”

Justin checked his phone. “Still forty minutes until you have to be in school.”

“Just checking since Brian didn’t leave the car keys.”

Justin gasped, patting his pockets, then cursed loudly. He called Brian, who answered laughing.

“I know what I did. I’m on my way back. I realized I shouldn’t be driving home since you were supposed to have the car.”

“Oh. Thank God. Nick just pointed out you left with the car keys, and I wanted to cry. I hate public transport.”

“I know. I’m almost back. I also called the guys coming to cut the tree and they said they would be there in an hour. Plenty of time to take Nick to school then we can go home together.”

“Our food is almost ready. I’m not sure we can fit in this tight schedule.”

By the time Brian returned, Nick was eating his pancakes happily, while Justin sipped from his coffee. He was focused on his phone, exchanging messages with his sister, who said she was returning in July.

Until then, Justin had to concentrate on his show and make plans for their trip South during Gus’s annual stay with Brian.

“Hey, Hot Stuff.”

Justin looked up from his phone, ready to say something about the uncalled for comment, only to notice Brian grinning.

“Sit.” He waved to his previous seat. “Do you want coffee? Debbie didn’t make yours since you left.”

“It’s fine. I’ll drink at home.” Brian threw himself in the booth across from Justin. He pulled his ringing phone from his pocket. “Good. You’re awake,” he said, satisfied. “Okay, whatever. I might not make it to the office today. Hold my calls and help Cynthia get a hold of the Chinese restaurant manager…yes, that one…Okay. Don’t call me unless there is an emergency.”

“The new kid?” Justin guessed when Brian ended his phone call.

“He’s alright. I like it that he learns fast and he hasn’t run to the little boys’ room to bawl his eyes out…yet.”

“Jesus! Has that happened before?”

“The woman who helped Cynthia before I sent her to the branch in Chicago…she spent most of her time in the bathroom, crying, during her first month.” Brian shrugged, looking amused.

“You’re the worst. Where are your manners?”

“My mother must have skipped that lesson. She fast forwarded my lessons to how to hold my drink and still look like a lady.”

Justin grimaced, reaching over to touch Brian’s hand. “Despite everything, you turned out alright. Sometimes.”

Brian laughed, squeezing Justin’s hand.

“You’re back,” Debbie gasped, returning to their table.

“Very yummy pancakes,” Nick declared, patting his tummy.

“And I’m failing his manners lessons miserably,” Justin mumbled. “Can’t you just say ‘thank you’ like a normal person?”

“Saying ‘thank you’ is overrated. Don’t teach him to become a people-pleaser.” Brian rolled his eyes, taking his chances and stealing Justin's coffee. It didn’t have enough sugar, but it would do until he had a cup of his own.

“Kindly…fuck off,” Justin muttered. He noticed Nick was done with his food, so he stood, fishing in his wallet for a few bills. “We’re leaving.”

Brian downed the rest of the coffee, meeting Debbie’s eyes, and grimacing. She was watching them with an anxious expression.

“Later, Deb.” Brian added a few more bills of his own, even though Justin had covered their wage, before he sprinted after Justin and Nick.

He caught them close to the Jeep, in a heated argument.

“…have to learn. I swear, I don’t understand why you’re such a thick-head about acting properly,” Justin gritted.

Brian placed his hands on Justin's shoulders, peering down at Nick, who looked about ready to start crying. “How about we continue his manners lessons after school? We’ll be late.”

Justin huffed, getting in the passenger seat and slamming the door shut.

Brian opened the back door and helped Nick inside and into his seat.

“Thank you,” Nick mumbled, sniffing loudly.

“You’re welcome.” Brian smiled, ruffling his hair, before going around the car and getting behind the wheel. “Do you want to come home after we drop him off?”

“Yeah, I have to get everything ready for the show. By which, I mean…I need to finish painting.”

They drove in silence, and when they reached Nick’s school, Brian offered to take Nick inside.

Justin stared at them through the windscreen, and realized how terrible he had acted. He had to remember that despite the fact Nick was a child, he was his own person, with his own personality.

Brian returned ten minutes later, lighting himself a cigarette when he took his seat. “God knows I’m not in any position to give you advice how to raise your kid, but you could lay off his back. Nick just told me that you scared him, and that he doesn’t like how you insist for him to say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’…and whatever other WASPy things you might have tried shoving down his throat. You fucking hate being a WASP, so stop.”

“Brian, I only want him to know what is polite to do…say.”

“He already knows,” Brian groaned. “If you’d pay attention, you might hear him use these words you love to hear…when it’s necessary.”

Justin folded his arms across his chest, as Brian started driving.

“Now it’s the time he defines his personality, how he views the world, how he views you…me…everyone around him. Don’t turn your child against you with these hetero stereotypes.”

“I had no idea if you were gay, being polite didn’t abide to you,” Justin sneered.

“What I mean, is that you have to lay off his back.”

Dread filled Justin, because the way Brian worded his statement, meant that Nick might favor Brian. Justin couldn’t handle losing his son’s respect and attachment just because he believed being polite was the right thing to do.

Brian had lived all his life without saying such things, unless the situation called for, which meant Nick would survive. And he would learn the hard way, when he was confronted with a situation where in order to get what he needed, he would have to be polite.

“You’re right,” Justin said when they left Pittsburgh. “You’re not the first person to tell me to lay off Nick’s back,” he admitted. “Our old neighbor, the guy we used to leave Nick with, when we had to attend some event together…he told me numerous times to leave the kid be. I always prompted Nick to thank him for keeping him at his place.”

Brian met his eyes, his lips pressed tightly. “See? Even a virtual stranger told you what I’m telling you.”

“Okay, okay. I won’t turn into my parents.”

“Good.” Brian placed the cigarette between his lips, reaching out to take Justin's hand. “We don’t want me to become the role model.”

“I turned out alright with you as a role model,” Justin jested.

“You are a valedictorian in Fuckology 101.”

 

Justin laughed, leaning closer to kiss Brian's cheek.

Chapter 33 by addict_writer

 

 

The days leading to Justin’s painting exhibition were hectic.

On top of having Nick constantly home, he also worked on the details regarding the trip to Florida in July. Brian got the hotel rooms booked and plane tickets, but it was Justin’s job to find activities for them during their stay.

It was difficult to find something remotely interesting for a child, especially since he had an interdiction to pick Disney World. And Justin had given up on his dream when he saw clips on the internet about how crowded it got. His anxiety would require a whole bottle of Xanax for him to survive in that place for a few hours.

The day before the show, Justin was more nervous than he had been on his first show at the Center when he was seventeen.

“Would you calm down?” Brian stepped out of the shower cabin, and met Justin’s eyes through the wiped part of the foggy mirror.

Justin glared at him through the patch in the mirror, placing his toothbrush in the cup. “It’s my come back exhibit. If I don’t make connections and meet people interested in commissions, I’m fucked.”

“Stop being a Drama Princess.” Brian grabbed his face cream from the cabinet. “Everyone will swarm around your stuff, as usual. Now, let me relax you.” He rubbed the cream under his eyes and on his cheeks.

“You don’t need the anti-aging cream, Brian,” Justin said softly, combing his fingers through Brian’s wet locks.

“That’s kind of you to say. Yet, you still like what you see because of this absurdly expensive cream.”

Justin rolled his eyes. “Now, who’s a Drama Queen, Brian?”

“I’m realistic.” He capped the jar, then turned to loop his arms behind Justin’s neck. “Is your mom still taking Nick after the show tomorrow?”

Justin nodded, pulling Brian’s head closer to kiss him. “She’s in for a surprise. After how she praised him the other week, after his birthday party.”

“It’s like you don’t want her to help again.” Brian kissed him deeply. “I’m starting to understand why your sex life was questionable. A child sure makes it difficult.”

“You don’t say?” Justin laughed nervously. This was what he had been dreading all along. Brian would realize he wasn’t capable to deal with Justin’s new life.

“Stop overthinking. I’m still all for adopting him,” Brian reminded Justin, as if knowing where his thoughts had led.

“I can’t help these thoughts. I know you, and I also know how you’ve changed…”

“But you’re too used with the old me.”

Justin grimaced. “I guess,” he mumbled.

Brian took Justin's hand, pulling him to the bed. He hooked his fingers under the elastic band of Justin's sleep pants, pulling them over his ass and down his legs.

Justin undid the towel from around Brian's waist, kissing him slowly. He gasped against Brian's lips, when Brian pulled him flush against him.

It was such unhurried moments, yet urgent touches, that led to Brian showing his most vulnerable side. And as much as Justin loved these moments, he also loved when Brian plowed him into the mattress, leaving him aching for hours after they had fucked.

“Think he’ll stay asleep?” Brian asked, as he pushed Justin back on the bed.

“I hope. Fuck, I need you so badly.”

Brian chuckled. “I swear, it’s like he’s doing it on purpose after the kitchen incident on his birthday.”

“He’s a thoughtful shit. He wants to check if I sewed your underwear.”

“Oops. Looks like I lost them again,” he joked.

Justin pressed a hand to his mouth, trying to muffle his laughter. He had to agree with Brian, about Nick walking on them multiple times during the past week. Justin could count on one hand the times Nick had walked in on him and Ethan in New York, but he was running out of fingers for the times Nick had disturbed his alone time with Brian since his birthday.

Brian stroked Justin's dick slowly, biting on his chin. “You know what we didn’t get to explore?”

“What?” Justin was curious what Brian had to say, because it was unlike Brian to chat during foreplay, let alone during the fucking.

“Granted, we were interrupted back then, as well,” he added thoughtfully, amusement evident in his voice.

Justin rolled them around so he was on top of Brian. He straddled his thighs, pumping his erection steadily. He lifted a brow in question.

“Remember our talk about trying it raw?” Brian ran the back of one hand over Justin's arm. “Maybe tomorrow…when we’ll have more time.”

Justin grimaced, his stomach tightened in worry as nerves made his hand falter in bringing Brian pleasure. “I’m worried,” he admitted. “Can we talk about this tomorrow?”

“Of course.”

#

The show was overwhelming for Justin. He didn’t expect for so many people to remember his name and come by, asking to meet him.

Brian was at his side most of the night, and Justin was grateful for that, because at some point it got too crowded for Justin’s anxiety. Brian only had to touch the small of his back, and say something silly about the trolls the gallery had hired as waiters.

“No guy here is remotely fuckable.”

“I’m seriously offended,” Justin retorted, amused.

“You are the only exception,” Brian emphasized. “Oh, would you look at that guy?” He added with disgust in his voice.

Justin followed his line of view and noticed Matt. “That’s the main show. Remember, I told you how he convinced the owner to have me here.”

“Riiight. The guy you fucked a lifetime ago.” Brian turned to look at Justin, amused. “Were you on something from Anita? Did he have a bag over his head?”

“He’s not that bad,” Justin mumbled. “It happened at one of those parties Daphne used to drag me to…you know, to meet people my own age.”

“Right. Was this the guy you kissed? The virgin?” Brian mock-gasped.

“Shhh,” Justin hissed, pulling Brian aside. “Please, behave. I’m not sure what gave it away, but yes.”

“I remember your stalker and how you kicked him out of the diner. You broke his widdle heart, and he gave you a place in the gallery where he has a show. And…and…wait! He became an artist because of you.”

“Christ, you’re such a jerk,” Justin mumbled.

“Oh, come on. You can’t expect me not to find this funny. Aw, look! He’s coming over.”

“Behave!” Justin put a wide smile on his face, greeting Matt. “Hi! I love your art!”

“Hi, Justin. You do? That means so much. Of course, it doesn’t compare with your stuff. You stole my show, but I don’t mind.”

Justin laughed nervously. “I didn’t expect this to happen.”

Brian cleared his throat loudly.

Justin rolled his eyes, tightening his arm around Brian’s elbow. “This is Brian, my partner. Brian, this is Matt.”

“Of course, the famous Matt with a big heart who gave you a spot in his show.”

Matt nodded emphatically, not sensing the sarcasm. “That would be me. I don’t even mind Justin is outshining me.” He turned to Justin, smiling. “You deserve your own show.”

Justin smiled indulgently. “Thank you, Matt. Uh…we have to mingle.”

“Of course.” With another wistful look at Justin, he departed.

“Christ. I hate repeating myself, but were the lights off when you fucked him? Was he gagged?”

“He was a sweet guy that night. Maybe it’s my fault he turned so pushy and needy…you know, for how I kicked him to the curb after we fucked.”

“Everyone, here stands Justin, the Martyr.” Brian rolled his eyes. “Have I taught you nothing?”

“Shut up, Brian. That was the old you. Hell, you were never heartless. You always had your rules to protect your heart. You knew love meant pain from your parents. I never blamed you for how you acted.”

Brian stared at Justin, amazed how well the man had read him from the beginning. It was little things like this one that Justin had silently acknowledged and accepted, which his life-long friends were still processing.

They stopped near one of Justin’s paintings where a small group was admiring it. One of the men from the group looked around and his eyes landed on Justin.

It made Justin want to flee because this was one of Ethan’s old friends from Pittsburgh. He wasn’t ready to face him, but Jeremy was smiling brightly and waving at Justin.

“Another loser you know?” Brian inquired, snorting.

“It’s one of Ethan’s old friends. Behave. He doesn’t know anything,” Justin explained.

“Justin! I thought the name was familiar when I read it. How have you been?” Jeremy came close to where Justin and Brian were standing. Then he noticed Brian, and eyed him curiously.

“Hi,” Justin said softly. “It’s been years. I’ve been busy.” Justin waved to his paintings. “You?”

“These are pretty amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of your stuff back then.” Jeremy glanced back at his group. “My team from work wanted to check the gallery, then I noticed your name.”

“Well…thank you for coming over.” Justin tightened his arm around Brian’s elbow, ready to steer him away.

Jeremy raised a hand, as if to stop Justin from leaving. “Uh, maybe you didn’t hear…or you don’t care anymore…” He glanced at Brian then back at Justin. “Ethan lost his studio. I haven’t heard from him in years. For a while he was in the park and I took him to my place as often as I could, but he wouldn’t accept my help.”

Justin cleared his throat, fighting the tears in his eyes. He turned to Brian, touching his chest. “Go to Nick. I’ll be right there.”

Brian pursed his lips, but spun on his heel and disappeared toward the refreshment table where the family had gathered.

“What’s up?” Jeremy asked, suspiciously.

Justin jerked his head toward a quieter section of the gallery. As they walked, he summed up the story of how he had met Ethan in the park and taken him to New York City where he used to live, and after a few details about their life there, Justin concluded with the sad news.

Jeremy gasped, cupping his mouth. “No!”

“I’m afraid it’s true. I still want to believe it was a drunk driver who ran him over, but the police said it was clearly a hate crime because he had multiple fractures. The car had gone over his body several times.”

“Jesus Christ!” Jeremy leaned against a wall, having gone pale. “I can’t believe it.”

“Trust me, it took me months to accept this.”

“When did it happen?”

“Around mid-February, and a week later I was back here. I couldn’t live there a minute longer.”

“Of course, I understand you. I see you found someone else,” Jeremy said, curiously.

“That’s Brian. You know…the same Brian, I left to be with Ethan.”

“Wow. He isn’t as bad as Ethan used to portray him, especially after you two ended things.”

Justin grimaced. “It’s complicated. I’ll let you go back to your friends. My whole family is here, and they’re probably going to send a search party after me,” he joked.

“It was really nice seeing you again. Good luck with your art. You deserve it.”

“Thank you.”

After shaking hands, Justin left Jeremy to process the sad news he had given him, while he went in search of his friends.

He found them easily.

Brian was chewing at an olive, picked from Michael’s glass.

Ben was in a deep conversation with Justin's mom and Ted.

Though, he couldn’t see his son.

“Where’s Nick?” Justin asked, stopping close to Brian.

“Debbie stole him,” Brian explained, spitting the olive pit in his hand.

“He was tired, and Ma offered to take him home. Your mom agreed, because she is busy in the morning.”

“I know, she only told me a hundred times we have to pick Nick at seven tomorrow,” Justin muttered, shooting his mother a dirty look. Of course, she was none the wiser.

“So, Ma took Nick home. He wanted to say good night to you, but we couldn’t see you,” Michael continued, sadly.

Brian wrapped an arm around Justin's shoulders. “I promised to kiss you for him,” he said, amused. Then, he leaned closer, slobbering Justin's cheek.

Justin laughed, feeling a little better about knowing where his son was, yet it stung he hadn’t been able to hug and kiss him before spending the night apart. Justin pushed Brian away playfully. “Nick isn’t so moist.”

Brian fake-gagged. “Can you not use that word? It makes my dick soft.”

“It’s true,” Justin insisted.

“It is,” Brian agreed seriously, somberly.

Michael snorted into his glass, at his friends’ exchange of words.

“Justin, we couldn’t find you. Debbie took Nick to her place so you’d be able to sleep in tomorrow,” Jennifer said, joining them.

“I remember. You’re busy in the morning. Don’t worry.” Justin patted her arm.

“So, we’re going…to be able to catch some sleep.”

“It’s barely eleven,” Brian said scandalized. “How much sleep do you need?”

“Me? Not much. Tuck is a grouch if he doesn’t sleep eight hours…and by the looks of it, we’re lucky if we’ll get a full six hours shut-eye.”

“What is it with youth these days?” Brian cried out.

Justin mock-punched his arm. “Sleeping at least seven hours per night is the ideal time recommended by doctors,” he said in a matter-of-fact voice.

“Don’t start your PSA propaganda,” Brian groaned.

Jennifer took Justin in her arms. “I’m so proud of you.”

Justin was taken by surprise, feeling overwhelmed by how much he had missed his mother. “Thank you, Mom. If you liked anything, just tell me which one. It’s yours.”

“No way. There is one painting Tuck liked, but we are buying it if it is still available.”

 

“No,” Justin insisted. “Which one? Nevermind, I’ll ask Tucker.” He knew, arguing with his mother was not the brightest idea. 

Chapter 34 by addict_writer

 

 

Justin couldn’t remember seeing Brian so happy and carefree. Brian had dragged him to the dance floor ever since they had stepped foot in Babylon.

Only an hour later, Justin managed to leave his side to go to the bar and get them drinks.

He took a healthy gulp from his beer, staring at Brian, in his element, dancing surrounded by several horny men. Justin felt a wave of joy knowing Brian was going home with him, and even if he wanted a Backroom trip, Justin would be his only choice.

“Did he take something?” Michael asked curiously, leaning next to Justin, his eyes on Brian.

“Can’t he simply be happy without the added help of some pill?” Justin snapped, disgusted by how little Michael thought of Brian. Sometimes, it was a wonder how Brian could still be around him, because Justin clearly knew what his best friend said behind his back.

“It’s just…I haven’t seen him so happy since back in the day. Are you okay with that?” he inquired, scandalized, when the men around Brian decided to touch his naked chest.

When has he lost his shirt? Justin thought idly, amused.

“That’s Brian. It doesn’t mean anything.” Justin's smile widened when Brian found his eyes across the room, then pushed away the group dancing around him, strolling toward the bar. “See?”

“You left,” Brian said in an accusatory tone, taking the beer out of Justin’s hand.

“I got thirsty. This one is yours.” Justin handed Brian the second bottle, sitting behind him on the bar top.

Brian finished Justin’s beer, before taking his bottle and drinking half of it. He glanced at Michael, who was staring at him with wide eyes.

“Did you lose your husband?”

“Ben went to the toilet.”

Brian hummed noncommittally, his eyes somewhere on the dance floor.

Justin turned to check what had grabbed Brian’s attention, and choked on his spit. Ben was surrounded by a group of men, similar to the ones dancing around Brian not long ago. He didn’t seem to mind it, as he walked slowly toward the bar.

Michael had noticed it too, and his breathing got heavier.

“Live a little.” Brian shoved his friend playfully, and intercepted Ben before he made it to them, pulling him to the dance floor.

“Come on.” Justin seized Michael’s elbow, dragging him after Brian and Ben.

“I don’t…” Michael started to protest, but Justin spun him around, stopping next to their partners.

Brian wrapped an arm around Michael’s shoulders. “Aw, is widdle Mikey tired? Is it past your bedtime?” he cooed.

Michael scoffed, and caved to the beat of the music.

“I’m glad you insisted we come along,” Ben said into Justin’s ear. “It’s been a while since we came here to dance.”

“I figured.” Justin smiled, turning to face Ben, allowing the upbeat song to set the rhythm of their dance.

Justin liked to believe that he knew Ben, considering they shared a birthday and they were pretty similar, yet completely different.

After a couple of songs, Ben nodded to something behind Justin. When he turned to look, he shouldn’t have been surprised to find Brian with his arms around Michael’s neck, their foreheads pressed together, swaying to their own dance.

“Let’s get another drink,” Justin said, nudging Ben toward the bar.

“Are you okay with this?” Ben asked, probably thinking Justin didn’t agree with how their partners were dancing.

“Come on, Ben. You know me better than to be jealous of their little display. I just want to have a good time, and I need a drink.”

“I haven’t seen them like that in a while,” Ben mused.

“Because I hurt Brian. He had closed off, and I’m surprised no one has noticed it.” Justin ordered a glass of vodka, before facing Ben. “Look, we’ve both been idiots. And we tried to cope with our fallout the best way we could. But look at the bright side, we’re back together and I want to believe we’re stronger and smarter than before.”

“You’re right. Brian had closed off. He was merely existing…”

“At least, he didn’t hurt other people…” Justin sighed loudly, trying not to think of the past few years.

“Like you said,” Ben touched his arm, “you’re back together and happier than I ever remember seeing you both. Don’t dwell on your past, because it brought you here.”

Justin grabbed his drink. “Yeah, I told Brian something similar. Our time apart had to happen, to make us both understand that we belong together and that our love only gets stronger over time.”

Brian appeared at their side, taking Justin’s hands. “Stop molesting my husband. You have your own,” he told Ben playfully. Then he twisted around, pulling Justin after him. “I love this song.”

Justin was sure he had gone deaf. “Did you just say husband?” he shouted over the loud music.

Brian glanced over his shoulder. “We’re as good as married, right?”

“What the fuck did you take?” Justin asked bewildered, knowing he was as bad as Michael for jumping to conclusions.

Brian turned around to take Justin in his arms.

As the chorus of Dov'e L'Amore started playing, Brian spun to face Justin, holding his hand. He pulled Justin close, smiling brightly, singing along, “Come to me baby, Don't keep me waiting, Another night without you here, And I'll go crazy.

Justin threw his head back and laughed, before wrapping his arms around Brian’s shoulders, joining him in singing, off-key.

He couldn’t remember ever dancing and singing and smiling so much during his nights out at Babylon with Brian.

.

.

.

The heavy summer thunderstorm that hit Pittsburgh while they had danced the night away, soaked them on the way to the car.

Justin peeled off his shirt during the car ride home, shaking the water out of his hair.

“Stooop! You’re soaking up everything.”

“You might want to park in the garage and leave the doors open to dry the car.”

Brian cringed, but nodded in agreement. He also upped the volume to the radio.

Justin laughed loudly when he realized what was playing - It’s Raining Men.

When Justin started singing along loudly, Brian scowled his way.

“Freak.”

“You’re not allowed to comment after the display in Babylon. I didn’t even know you liked Cher.”

“Every gay boy loves Cher,” Brian scoffed.

Justin smiled indulgently. He folded his hands on his lap, trying to figure out a good way to bring up Brian’s comment from Babylon about Justin being his husband.

“So, do you want to go to the parade tomorrow?” Brian asked casually.

Justin whipped around, staring in shock at the man next to him. He was aware of how much Brian had changed, but it still surprised him to hear such things from him.

“Uh…”

“Of course, after we collect Nick from Debbie. It will be his first parade.”

“We went to the parade in New York every year. He loved it because of the bright colors,” Justin explained.

“Great. It’s settled.” Brian nodded, mostly to himself.

“Tell me something,” Justin started in a soothing tone.

“Hmmm…” Brian drummed his fingers to the steering wheel, distracted.

Justin chewed on his lips, unsure if he wanted to disturb the peace they had with his question.

“I had fun tonight. Did you?”

“It was sure a hot one. Your show was entertaining, and I’ll remember to kick your ass if the next one isn’t a solo. As for Babylon, yeah, I haven’t had so much fun in years.”

“I figured it must not be so much fun now that you own the place.”

“Justin, I’ve owned the club for over a decade. True, at some point along the way, it has lost its charm.”

“We should do this more often,” Justin commented. “And I promise not to feel guilty about abandoning Nick to one of his grandmas.”

Brian laughed, upping the speed on the empty interstate leading to their house.

When Brian parked inside the garage, only twenty minutes later, Justin jumped out, leaving his door open.

“I want fries,” he decided.

“We could have stopped somewhere to get some,” Brian complained. “It will take hours for a delivery to arrive.”

“I want to make fries,” Justin clarified.

Brian groaned, leading the way inside the house through the door connecting the garage to the small hallway leading to the laundry room. “Now?”

“Yes, I’m craving fries.”

“And I’m craving to get in your ass.”

Justin chuckled. “You drive a hard bargain.”

“Hard being the key word,” Brian nodded in agreement. “Besides, I want to try what we agreed to do.”

“What’s that?” Justin stopped in the middle of the kitchen. He was still weighting his needs - the hunger for greasy fries and the hunger for Brian.

Brian lifted a brow, amused at how distracted Justin was. He went to Justin’s side, tilting his head up with a finger under his chin. “I’m surprised you haven’t put this date in a heart-shaped box when I mentioned we were finally going to see what the deal about fucking raw is…”

Justin’s blue eyes grew twice larger. He had been too worried about his show, about sleeping away from his son again, to keep in mind Brian’s lone comment from the previous day.

“That changes things,” Justin said slowly. “Who needs to eat fries when I’m about to get the best protein shake,” he joked.

“It’s always entertaining to hear what new ways people call my spunk,” Brian snorted. “Lindsay used to call it my ‘love-seed’ when she begged me for being the father of her child.”

Justin undid his pants, stepping out of them. Hearing what Brian wanted to do, had him in a hurry to get to the main act before Brian somehow changed his mind. Though, Brian had almost succeeded in fucking Justin raw on his birthday weekend, albeit they had been interrupted in the worst of ways.

“Is someone eager?” Brian backed him into the table, palming his aching dick.

“Fuck, yeah. You got me all worked up during the dancing, now you reminded me about fucking raw. Fuck, this has been my dream for ages.”

Brian met Justin’s eyes, searching for the answer to his unspoken question. Had Justin fucked Ian raw?

But Justin was lost to the feeling of Brian’s hand stroking his dick to focus on what Brian was trying to communicate.

“Maybe you want to do the honors…I’m sure you’re an expert,” Brian said slowly, thumbing over the tip of Justin’s dick.

The mere thought of feeling Brian’s tight, hot ass squeezing his dick made Justin shoot his load, taking them both by surprise.

“Or…maybe not,” Brian laughed, amused.

“God.” Justin covered his face with his hands. “That had to be the fastest I’ve ever come. And…I’d hardly call myself an expert.” He focused on undressing Brian, slowly gathering his wits after the surprising orgasm.

“Did you…” Brian let the question hang in the air, helping Justin taking his jeans off.

Justin met his eyes sharply. “I don’t want to discuss that. I don’t want to compare our relationship with my previous marriage. Not even with our past fucks.”

Brian accepted that answer, by pulling him closer and kissing him deeply. “I go first?”

Justin chuckled. “I can tell you’re eager to do it…which is insane.”

“I’ve been accused of being crazy,” Brian said casually, leading Justin by the hand up the stairs.

When they reached the master bedroom, Justin went to grab a towel, because he knew how messy it got.

Brian greeted him at the foot of the bed, holding the bottle of lube. He wrapped his arms around Justin, leaning closer so their noses touched.

“You’ll tell me if I hurt you.”

“I promise. Lots of lube, more than usual,” Justin explained.

“Get in bed.” Brian nodded to their side.

He crawled after Justin, uncapping the bottle. Justin parted his legs, grinning, inviting Brian to start touching him.

Brian scooted closer, dragging Justin’s ass on his lap, before pouring generous amounts of lube over his balls and down his crack.

Justin jumped, not expecting the liquid to be so cold. “Cold,” he voiced his reaction.

Brian rolled his eyes. “It will heat up.”

Justin stifled his smile, because Brian loved to repeat the words they had shared on their first night together, at the most random times. But his amusement turned to ecstasy as Brian slowly breached his hole, and started stretching him.

“Fuck,” Justin gasped, grabbing two fistfuls of the bedsheet. Feeling Brian’s fingers up his ass what nothing new, but he could almost imagine how good it would feel to have Brian’s bare dick inside him.

Justin tried to keep his heavy eyelids open and on Brian pumping his dick while he worked Justin’s ass, but all he could focus on was the coil in his stomach tightening.

When Brian shifted to get better access to Justin’s ass, Justin was sure he was going to embarrass himself again.

The way Brian’s mouth opened when his dick inched inside Justin, was a rare sight Justin got to enjoy. Brian, in the throes of passion, was a seldom occurrence.

“Oh, fuck,” Brian groaned, his fingers digging into Justin’s thighs. “You’re burning. How the fuck do you get tighter?”

“It’s my little secret,” Justin choked out, throwing his head back.

“Shit. I need a second.” Brian stalled, making Justin whine in protest. He was barely halfway in, but he knew exactly what Brian was experiencing. And to fuck raw for the first time, it could be overwhelming.

When Brian continued to push inside him, they both groaned in pleasure. And as soon as Brian found a rhythm, Justin believed he could taste the colors that exploded behind his closed eyelids.

“We’re never going back to condoms,” Justin said in a breathy voice.

“What condoms?” Brian laughed, his back arched, as he upped the speed.

“Oh, my God!” Justin anchored himself with a hand on the headboard and one of Brian’s bicep. “Fuck, this is fucking fantastic!”

“So…fucking…tight,” Brian said through clenched teeth, plowing into Justin so hard, the headboard slammed against the wall rhythmically.

Justin found himself unable to answer with words, as all the sounds that left his mouth were moans and cries of pleasure.

Brian let out a deep growl as he slammed hard into Justin several times, before stopping, seating deep into his ass. “Fuck.” He slumped on top of Justin, their sweaty skin making a squeaking sound. “I might have discovered the one reason why monogamy might be the shit.”

Justin laughed heartily, stroking Brian’s wet back. “Anything to get you there.” He peppered kissed over Brian’s temple. “I love you.”

Brian nosed at Justin’s neck, kissing the spot behind his ear that made Justin shiver. “Me too,” he whispered sleepily.

“I hate to be the bad guy…” Justin said after a while, when Brian’s softening dick threatened to slip out of him. “We have to clean.”

Brian sat up reluctantly, and brought closer the towel Justin had abandoned at the foot of the bed. He patted Justin’s ass with it, but Justin winced, as he rolled out of the bed.

“The towel is more for you. I need a shower.” He shuffled toward the bathroom, already feeling Brian’s seed sliding down his inner thigh.

To his amusement, Brian joined him, but they simply showered, and Brian made sure Justin was free of all his spunk.

“Cleaning up is the only downside of this raw fucking,” Justin commented, when they got in bed a while later.

“If you’re somehow trying to talk me out of fucking you raw again, I’ll have you know that I’m a success story. I’ve been converted to a fervent supporter of doing it raw.”

Justin cupped Brian’s cheek, grinning. “I still can’t believe it.”

Brian rolled on top of Justin, all playful. “Just say the word. I’ll prove to you, it wasn’t one of your little daydreams.”

“It’s my turn,” Justin quipped, flipping them around. “But maybe in the morning,” he added through a yawn.

“I swear, I’ll never understand how you are supposed the younger one.”

“Not all of us can function on three hours of sleep, Brian. Besides, it was a long day.” Justin flopped on his back. “Do you really think I can pull a solo after tonight?”

“If you had waited…or searched more…I’m sure this could have been your solo return show.”

“I kinda feel bad for Matt.”

“Fuck Matt,” Brian muttered. “Oh, wait. You already did.”

Justin kicked Brian under the blanket. “Quit it. You don’t hear me making jabs at you about every guy you fucked.”

“That would be difficult,” Brian said thoughtfully.

Justin rolled his eyes in the darkness.

“Are you upset? I won’t say shit about your former lovers anymore.”

Justin snorted. “It’s still amazing how you use the word ‘lover’ so casually. You’ve been spending too much time around Emmett.”

“Your ex-fucks, better?” Brian grumbled.

Justin rolled on his side, wrapping his arms around Brian’s right arm, stroking his skin. “Did I mention that I love how affected you get when I point out what a romantic you are? Even though, you’ll never admit it,” he added, when Brian huffed. “Good night.” Justin kissed Brian’s naked shoulder.

 

Brian pressed his lips to Justin’s hair squeezing him close.

Chapter 35 by addict_writer

 

 

On Saturday morning, on the way to Debbie’s to collect Nick, Justin was constantly on the phone with potential clients. He had given his number to everyone interested, because he didn’t expect anyone to call him.

“As happy as I am about this, I’ve reached my limit to speak today,” Justin moaned, after wrapping up another conversation.

“Was there any doubt people would call? Anyway, I hope you’ll work on their commissions responsibly,” Brian commented.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Justin inquired, searching for the phone feature to change his voicemail. He planned on offering his email address in the voicemail so he could shut off his phone, but Brian's statement distracted him.

“It means…you will take them one at a time, depending on how fast the client wants it. I noticed your hand hurt when you pushed yourself to finish the paintings for this show.”

“Don’t worry. I’ve lived off commissions mostly, in New York. I know how to do it without hurting myself,” Justin said, trying not to think of all the times he had fought with Ethan about Justin's masochistic tendencies. When his hand hurt, he used to push himself further, angered by the fact that he needed so many breaks and the deadlines were closing in fast.

Justin decided instead of shutting off his phone and changing his voicemail message, to create a quick message with his email address where he thanked the caller for their interest. He would decline all unknown numbers and send that message, until he had the time to sit down and make order in the chaos of potential clients.

“Think they’ll still hold the parade?” Brian asked curiously, leaning over the steering wheel to squint through the sheets of rain.

“Do you think a little rain will stop our community from marching?” Justin snorted.

“Have you noticed what queens are in our community?”

“Speaking for yourself?” Justin teased, leaning over the console to kiss Brian's cheek.

“No.” Brian glared out the window. “If it doesn’t get better by eleven, we’re going to Woody’s.”

“We’ll have Nick with us,” Justin reminded him.

“We won’t be the only ones with a child, hiding away from the rain,” Brian pointed out. “I guess this is a sign, parades are not my thing.”

Justin chuckled. His amusement vanished when they turned on Debbie’s street. There was an ambulance parked close to her house, and Justin felt like someone had punched him in the gut. He had a feeling something was wrong with Nick. He didn’t even think once that the ambulance was called for another house on the street.

“Calm down,” Brian drawled. “It’s probably here for Mr. Jefferson. He calls for help every time he runs out of oxygen in his tank, according to Deb.”

Justin barely heard Brian; his sole focus was on getting in Debbie’s house to see for himself they were both fine.

When Brian parked a few spot ahead of the ambulance, Justin threw his door open. He managed only two steps when the front door of Debbie’s house opened. One of the EMT guys had an arm around Debbie’s shoulder, holding her left hand in a wrapped towel.

“Fuck,” Brian cursed, joining Justin.

The other EMT followed them out of the house with Nick at his side. When Nick spotted his dad and Brian, he ran full pelt speed at them, wrapping his arms around Justin's legs.

“Hey, honey. Are you okay?”

Nick sobbed into Justin's pants, and Justin crouched to his level, feeling at a loss how to help him. Was he hurt as well? Was he only scared?

“Debbie,” Brian said in concern, going to her side.

“I slipped in the kitchen and braced my fall in my hand,” she explained. “Nick insisted to call 911.”

“Are you the son?” the man supporting Debbie asked.

“Close enough,” she answered, smiling at Brian.

“I’ll get Michael. Where are you taking her?” Brian asked.

“Allegheny General.”

“We’ll be right there. You better listen to the doctors, Debbie,” Brian insisted, before turning to Justin.

Justin was in a deep conversation with the other EMT about what a smart kid Nick was. He had kept Debbie on the floor after her fall and brought ice for her swelling wrist.

Justin met Brian's eyes, relief and concern dancing in them.

“We have to go and get Michael.”

“Thank you,” Justin said to the EMT, before the man returned to the ambulance where his colleague was taking Debbie inside through the back doors.

“Do you want to go with her?” Brian asked, noticing the conflicted look in Justin's eyes. “I can take Nick with me. We’ll meet at the hospital.”

“Okay. Go inside and get her ID and insurance details. I’ll see you soon, Nick. You were very brave,” Justin said softly, kissing Nick’s forehead.

“Come on, kiddo.” Brian took Nick’s hand, leading him back to the house, while Justin sprinted toward the ambulance.

“Is it okay if I come along?” he asked, meeting Debbie’s eyes through the opened doors.

“Are you next of kin, sir?”

“He’s as good as my son. Let him ride along,” Debbie insisted.

The EMT shot Justin a disapproving look, filling out a chart on his lap.

Justin sat across from Debbie, staring at her, worried. He couldn’t ever remembering her having clumsy moments to trip or fall. The only time she had collapsed in the diner was when she was overexerting herself.

“Where’s Carl?” Justin asked curiously.

“He went to the station earlier. I was working on breakfast for your little pumpkin. Like I told the doctor, I bent to grab a plate from the lower cabinet and got up too fast. You know how you get light-headed after such moves.”

Justin noticed how the EMT pursed his lips, not looking up from the papers. He could only guess there was something else wrong with Debbie, but she was sugar-coating it for him.

“I could call Carl for you,” Justin offered, even though he didn’t have the man’s number.

“No need to worry him. They’ll check my hand, put it in a cast, and I’ll be on my way home before he returns,” she dismissed him.

“Ma’am, the doctors might keep you for longer than a few hours,” the EMT interjected. “If this young man wants to call your husband, please accept it.”

“Carl isn’t my husband. Not until my son will be able to marry the man he loves legally in this country,” Debbie said, upset. She touched her forehead, wincing.

“Did you hurt your head when you fell?” Justin asked anxiously. He knew first-hand how tricky such injuries were.

“I’m fine, Sunshine. Don’t worry,” she promised.

It didn’t escape Justin how the EMT didn’t seem to agree with Debbie’s optimism.

When they arrived at the hospital, Justin stood by the ER bed Debbie was installed in, until the doctors sent him to the Waiting Room. He paced for a while, before he called Brian.

“Justin, how’s Ma?” Justin was surprised to hear Michael’s panicked voice, but he figured Brian was driving.

“She’s in the ER. The doctors kicked me away. Uh, can you give me Carl’s number?”

“I already called him. He’s on the way. We parked up front now,” Michael explained.

“I’ll meet you at the doors.” Justin hurried to the main entrance, after hanging up.

Michael rushed through the doors, nearly colliding with Justin. “How is she? Why did you leave her side?”

“You know how these things are. They’ll let us know after they check her up. It looks like she broke her wrist,” Justin said, because that was all that he knew for sure.

Brian strolled through the doors with Nick in his arms, and Ben by his side. Nick reached for Justin, and Justin collected his son, hugging him tightly.

“Debbie will be fine,” he whispered.

“Yeah, we heard all about how he saved Ma on the way here,” Michael said with a small smile. “Nick is a little hero.”

“I was really scared,” Nick said into Justin's neck.

“I’m sure, baby. You did amazing.” Justin kissed his head, leading the group back to the Waiting Room.

“Did Carl make it?” Brian asked, touching Justin's back.

“No. I didn’t even know you called him.” He leaned into Brian's side. “I think there’s something else the EMT wasn’t saying, because he didn’t seem happy about how Debbie kept brushing me off about being fine.”

“We’ll find out soon.”

The waiting took another hour, with Carl arriving in the meantime. Not even his uniform intimidated the doctors about giving up any information regarding Debbie until they had run all the necessary tests.

When a doctor finally asked who was there for Deborah Novotny, all of them got up, surprising him. Michael demanded for the doctor to start talking and that the whole group was family.

Besides a broken wrist, Debbie had alarmingly high blood pressure, and they wanted to monitor that. The doctor reassured Michael and Carl that such cases were somewhat normal for her age. Especially, when she had admitted to have run out of her meds. Her plan was to visit her own doctor the following week for a refill.

Carl admitted how Debbie had mentioned her head hurt and how she sometimes felt dizzy. The doctor nodded, only allowing Michael and Carl to visit her.

“I’ll go and grab a change of clothes for her. It looks like she’s staying overnight,” Ben offered.

“We’ll drop you off. Keep us updated,” Brian said, touching Michael’s shoulder.

“Go.” He nodded, following the doctor with Carl.

“Fuck. Maybe now she’ll fucking quit the diner,” Brian muttered, leading their group out the hospital.

“One can only hope,” Ben said, shaking his head.

After dropping Ben off at Debbie’s, Brian drove toward Liberty Avenue.

“What are you doing?” Justin demanded, when Brian parked in his usual spot at Babylon.

“We’re going to the fucking parade, like we planned. It stopped raining. Do you think Debbie would want us to go home and grow an ulcerous over her health problems?”

“What’s an ulcerous?” Nick asked innocently, from the back seat.

Justin threw his hands in the air. “Whatever. We’re wet from the rain earlier. I’m freezing, and I don’t want to get a cold.”

“I have spare clothes in the office.” Brian waved toward Babylon. “And ulcerous is something one gets if they worry too much…amongst other things,” he explained to Nick, turning to face him.

“Will Daddy get it? He worries about everything.”

Justin stared bewildered at his son, then laughed. “No, I’ll be fine.”

They changed out of clothes fast. Even Nick got a tiny vest used for shows, which fit him perfectly.

Justin was buttoning up a shirt that was a little tight, and Justin had no idea why Brian had such a small shirt.

“Found something so we’ll fit in the parade,” Brian announced, returning to his office.

“What more do we have to do than be gay?” Justin asked, amused.

“Wave the flag.” Brian handed Nick a small pride flag. Justin recognized the item as something the bartender used in the fancy drinks. “And this is for you.” Brian wrapped a tie, dyed in the colors of the rainbow, around Justin’s neck.

Justin eyes the tie dubiously, then rolled his sleeves up. “And you?”

Brian extracted a pair of large glasses with the rims in the shape of an ass.

“I’m not walking down the street with you looking like that,” Justin demanded.

“You look silly,” Nick giggled. Brian gasped, pretending to appear offended. Nick didn’t fall for Brian's antics, patting Brian's hand. “I like you silly.”

“Let’s go,” Justin urged them.

When they left Babylon, Brian lifted Nick on his shoulders, then took Justin's hand. Justin squeezing his fingers, smiling.

He would have never dreamed of marching next to Brian. Let alone, have Brian holding his hand and carrying his son proudly on his shoulders. Their son…Justin reminded himself. They had yet to talk details about Brian adopting Nick, but Brian was doing a fabulous job at the dad thing.

.

.

.

It took them a while to find a group to march with. A short quarrel between couples and families, and the brightly colored group of queers, the battle was won by Nick pointing to someone dressed in all pink with a green feather boa around the neck. The man looked like an oversized pink bird had exploded on him.

As they approached the person, Brian was surprised to discover Emmett dressed in that crazy outfit. He was hanging by Drew’s arm, pointing out different costumes.

“If it isn’t Prince Charming and Rapunzel,” Brian commented, falling in step with Emmett and Drew.

Emmett turned to glare at their company, but started laughing when he noticed Brian's glasses. “I can’t say I’m not surprised to see you here.”

“Stranger things have happened.” Brian shrugged. “What’s your costume, Boyd?”

“Drew is my bodyguard, so the bad, bad, horny queers won’t steal me away,” Emmett interjected, leaning into Drew’s side for a kiss. When he pulled back, he had a serious look in his eyes. “I heard about Debbie.”

“Don’t try to visit her, because the doctor only allowed Michael and Carl inside her room,” Justin said. “I have to agree with Brian. Maybe this episode will be the end of her time at the diner. That place won’t fall apart without her.”

“Poor Debbie,” Emmett mumbled. “Last time we talked, she was covering for Kiki, who was preparing for the parade, so she took Friday off.”

“Bitch,” Brian said, trying to cover his word with a cough, when Justin elbowed him in the ribs.

“And Carl has been wondering if she ever planned on marrying him since now same-sex marriages are legal in some states.”

“Oh, that’s what she meant…” Justin said, thoughtfully. “The doctor mentioned something about Carl, referring to him as Debbie’s husband. She threw a fit over the word.”

“Yeah, it’s a hot topic…I told her just to say the word, because I’m ready to throw her a fabulous party.”

“If she’s waiting for Mikey to marry Ben again…I doubt it will happen. I still remember how upset they were about their marriage not being recognized in our country,” Brian commented.

“I think that’s what she wants. Maybe a double wedding?” Emmett joked.

Justin stumbled over his feet, and only Brian's hand gripping his, kept him from falling. “I can imagine the look on Michael’s face if that’s what Debbie wants.”

“Judging by how stubborn both Debbie and Michael are…chances are you two will tie the knot before them,” Emmett said teasingly.

Justin grimaced, because all he could think of was Brian's comment from the previous night.

“You better dust off your notes for our wedding, then,” Brian said lightly.

“Or…more realistically, chances are a meteor will fall in the middle of the parade,” Emmett continued, not catching the serious undertone in Brian's words.

“Drinks at Woody’s?” Drew asked when they reached the bar.

“Anything, so we’ll escape the crowd,” Justin agreed.

“Shit.” Brian wrapped an arm around Justin's shoulder. “I didn’t think…Fuck, I’m such an idiot.”

“Stop. It’s fine, but not for too long. Make sense?”

Brian nodded, kissing Justin slowly. He kept him close, as they made their way up the stairs and inside Woody’s.

“Oh, my!” Emmett covered his mouth at the scene in front of them.

They had walked in on crazier things in Woody’s, but it had been a while since something like that happened. A drag queen had two hunks showing off their dicks so she could decide who would be the lucky one.

Justin reached up to cover Nick’s eyes, knowing he would be the one to blame if his son ended up traumatized.

“Maybe another time,” Brian said to Emmett. “We have young eyes, and this looks about to escalate into mild porn.”

The word were barely out of his mouth when the drag queen decided to rubs off both men in front of her.

“See you,” Justin called over his shoulder, steering Brian and Nick outside.

The parade seemed to have intensified. Everyone was singing, shouting, dancing. Brian kept Nick in one arm, with the boy’s face pressed into his shoulder, while he had his other arm around Justin, holding him tightly.

“I’m right here, Sunshine. You’re okay.”

Justin winced when people bumped into them, but he focused on his breathing and took small steps, keeping his eyes on the neon sign reading BABYLON. It was getting closer, and he could breathe easier with each step.

“Fuck,” Justin gasped, when they escaped the crowd to the safety of the alley leading to Babylon. “That was crazy.”

“Are you okay, Daddy?” Nick asked, worried.

“Yeah. Don’t worry. Let’s head home. How do burgers sound?”

“Yum!”

“Just the salad for me,” Brian quipped.

“Are you a bunny?” Nick asked, giggling, as Justin strapped him to his seat.

“Brian is not a big fan of meat…at least, not processed meat.”

“Oh, but I love meat,” Brian joked.

Justin shot him a scandalized look.

“Christ. What the fuck did I do wrong to fall for a WASP?”

 

“You needed my manners in your life,” Justin said seriously, sliding in the passenger seat. “We still need to stop by the store. We don’t have buns.”

Chapter 36 by addict_writer

 

 

The door of the shed opened to reveal an anxious Brian. Justin checked his surroundings and realized he had misplaced his phone. He had no idea what time it was.

“You have any idea how worried I was? And I had to play it cool since I was with Nick.” Brian strode to his side, hugging him tightly.

“What the fuck could have happened to me? Was there a mass alien abduction and I don’t know?” Justin laughed, squirming out of Brian’s arms. “I have to finish this by Friday.”

“Justin, I sent Mikey to get Nick from the daycare at Kinnetik since I was busy with a late lunch meeting, and I told him to get a hold of you to take Nick home. Mikey said he tried your cell several times but there was no answer. So I tried it too, thinking you were simply ignoring his calls for whatever reason.”

“Come on, you know me better than that.”

“And then I had an impromptu dinner with a client, which dragged until six. Once it was polite to escape, I collected your son from Michael and Ben’s house and came home, still trying to get a hold of you.”

Justin grimaced. “I don’t even know what I did with my phone. But see? I’m fine,” he said cheerfully, picking the brush again.

His right hand cramped up, making him drop the brush, and curse loudly.

Brian stared in horror at the way Justin’s hand was contorted. He picked it carefully, massaging his palm. He could feel how tight the tendons were stretched.

“Have you been painting all day?”

“I just told you I have to finish by Friday. Besides this one, I have to give the last touches to another painting, and work on another one which is just a sketch right now.”

Brian pursed his lips. “How the fuck did you overlap commissions?”

“I didn’t. I usually give them about a week until due date. I was sure I could do it.” Justin glared at his hand.

“Three paintings in one week?” Brian asked, shocked.

“It wouldn’t be the first time. And don’t start preaching. The tight schedule for commissions used to be a hot subject with Ethan. He used to say I loved to work myself into an early grave.”

“Can’t say I disagree.” Brian rolled his eyes. He waved to the painting on the easel. “This ends here. You take one commission at a time, and give yourself at least two weeks to finish it, and then you take a break.”

Justin pushed Brian away. “Kindly keep your opinions to yourself. I don’t want to fight with you about my painting schedule.”

“Then listen to me,” Brian insisted. “If it’s about the money, I’m sure you know by now that’s not an issue. Your clients will understand you need more time to complete their desired pieces.”

“Just shut up!” Justin snatched the brush off the floor. He held his right wrist with his left hand, focusing on not messing up the painting, but the brush shook vigorously.

“Do you ever listen?” Brian pried the brush from Justin’s hand, keeping his right wrist in a vice grip. “You’re taking a break. Until tomorrow.”

Justin made to argue, but tears gathered into his eyes.

“Don’t hurt yourself, or you’ll worsen the nerves and tendons, and your hand…”

“It’s already as good as shit.” Justin pushed away from Brian, but froze when he noticed his son in the doorway of the shed.

“Are you breaking up?” Nick cried, his lips quivering.

“What? No,” Justin answered, surprised by the association his son had made with their argument.

“Ollie’s parents argued a lot and they broke up,” Nick explained, shuffling closer and wrapping his arms around Justin's legs.

“Adults fight all the time, Nick,” Brian started. “I mean…it doesn’t always lead to break-ups. Don’t worry.”

Justin laughed nervously. “I’d say get used to it, but that’s terrible.”

“Don’t be a twat. This argument wouldn’t have existed if you cared for your well-being. People understand when others can’t finish a project on time. Even my clients double-check sometimes if the Art Department can finish the boards in the timeframe they want.”

“Yeah…well…you know me.” Justin shrugged, making Brian roll his eyes.

Justin crouched to hug Nick. “Do you want to make cookies?”

“More work with your hands?” Brian groaned.

“I want ice cream and the lion movie,” Nick decided.

“Good choice.” Brian beamed, picking him up. “You’re coming inside the house with us.” He grabbed the hem of Justin's paint-splatted shirt, dragging him out of the shed.

“I’m going to shower,” Justin decided, staring at the paint on his hands and arms. “You can start the movie without me.”

As Justin climbed up the stairs, he could hear Nick instructing Brian how much ice cream to put in his bowl and then to hand him the chocolate tube. Justin sincerely hoped Brian wouldn’t trust Nick with the tube of chocolate, because they would have a sleepless night with a high on sugar child.

While he showered, Justin thought over about his recent argument with Brian about his painting schedule. He hadn’t lied when he mentioned how Ethan had complained all the time about Justin hurting himself while taking too many commissions with close deadlines. His hand used to hurt for days after such a workout.

Brian had always cared for Justin, and he only ever wanted his well-being. Besides, Brian had always felt guilty every time Justin's hand hurt, or Justin got upset because he couldn’t use his hand properly. Justin had run out of ways to explain the bashing hadn’t been his fault.

In that moment, Justin promised himself to be more responsible about his painting schedule and how many commissions he accepted at a time. He would hate to constantly fight with Brian because of his lack of self-preservation.

Justin had always loved to push himself in all aspects of his life, but it was time to set boundaries and draw lines if he didn’t want to upset Brian, and of course, hurt his hand further. He hadn’t told anyone, but over the years it had become more difficult to use it properly. Justin knew he was due for a doctor appointment where he would most-likely be told age had weakened the muscles and tendons even further.

After getting a clean shirt and his sweatpants on, Justin joined his men downstairs.

He stopped in the living room’s doorway, staring in horror at the amount of ice cream and chocolate syrup in his son’s bowl. A considerably more moderate quantity was in Brian's bowl.

Brian turned to him. “Finally. I was sure you’ve drowned in there.”

“I had to scrub off all the paint. I’m using acrylics for this painting.”

Brian waved him closer, and Justin snuggled into his side, rubbing Brian's thigh. “How much do you hate me?”

“Is this about the argument?” Brian frowned.

“It’s about how I’ll have to stay up with Nick when he will be on a sugar high. Do you know how much sugar is in his bowl?” Justin hissed.

“Oh, right.” Brian reached around Justin, and picked the bowl from Nick’s hands. “Remember your promise.”

Nick pouted, but didn’t protest about being parted from the cool sweet.

Brian smiled brightly, handing Justin the bowl. “He said he’d share with you. He promised only a few spoonfuls which he would melt in his mouth so his throat wouldn’t hurt tomorrow.”

Justin accepted the ice cream from Brian, staring at him in wonder. It was a mystery how none of their friends saw what a thoughtful, understand, and caring person Brian was. His bad boy reputation preceded him. Though, Justin had seen through that façade since he was seventeen.

“Thank you,” Justin whispered, kissing the spot below Brian's ear. He knew what that action did to Brian.

Brian wrapped an arm around Justin's shoulders, bringing him closer. “You’re welcome…but what did I do?” he asked, amused.

“You’re an amazing dad.”

Brian cleared his throat, smiling softly.

Justin leaned his head on Brian's shoulder, slowly eating through his ice cream, turning his attention to the movie. Nick had only seen The Lion King a couple of times, because Justin considered it brutal for a small child.

To cement his theory about the movie, after Mufasa’s death, Nick turned to Justin.

Justin braced himself, because he knew what was coming. His son was a smart cookie, and he had pieced everything together. It was probably the moment Nick fully understood what had happened to his pappy.

“Did someone bad, like Scar, kill Pappy?”

Justin choked on his spit, because he hadn’t expected quite that association. He had spoken about the unknown assholes who had murdered Ethan too much around Nick.

Brian rubbed Justin's back, as Justin reached over to pull Nick closer.

“I don’t know how you made that connection, but yes.” Justin could barely recognize his low voice, filled with raw emotions. He tried to stay strong for Nick, but if they kept talking about this, the memories might get the best of him.

He tried distracting himself by focusing on the movie, but the way Mufasa’s body got trampled by the scared herd of bovines hit too close to him.

“Daddy?” Nick said in a small voice.

Justin turned his attention to his son, and was surprised by Nick wrapping his little arms around his neck.

“I love you, Daddy.”

Justin couldn’t remember Nick ever saying those words to him, or Ethan. “Oh, Nick. I love you, too.” He kissed the top of his head, holding him close.

When Nick squirmed, Justin let him go. Nick leaned toward Brian, hugging him around the neck, and repeating the words he had told Justin.

Justin had no idea how the movie had affected his son, but it wasn’t like him to get so emotional and trigger his desire to confess his love for them. He shouldn’t have been surprised to hear Brian telling Nick that he loved him too. Then, Brian brought Justin closer and kissed his mouth, whispering the words against his lips.

Justin sniffed, not allowing his tears to fall, as he hugged both Nick and Brian. “What’s wrong with you two,” he asked, laughing.

“Why don’t you ask your son? He’s the one who initiated this lesbianic moment,” Brian joked.

“I have a question,” Nick said seriously. He was still draped across Justin's body, snuggled into Brian's chest.

Justin made sure to turn off the TV, because none of them were watching the movie anymore. “Yes?”

“I don’t know how to ask. I’m confused.”

Justin pulled his son fully on his lap. “Just tell us. We’ll understand.”

Nick frowned, pouting, before fixating Brian with his eyes. After a long minute, Nick turned to look at his dad.

“Brian is your boyfriend, right?”

“I hate that word,” Brian muttered.

“Brian is my partner, yes,” Justin said softly. “Why do you ask?”

“Well…does that make Brian…like a replacement for Pappy?”

“Good God.” Justin palmed his cheek. Brian groaned loudly from beside him. “Uh, no. I mean…not exactly.” Justin elbowed Brian, hoping for some sort of support.

“I could never replace your pappy,” Brian said after a few moments. Justin appreciated how diplomatic Brian answered all questions regarding Ethan when Nick was involved. It showed how much he loved Nick. “But considering I’m your dad’s partner, I guess you can tell we’re co-parenting.”

Nick blinked several times, confusion evident in his blue eyes.

Justin chuckled, ruffling his son’s hair. “That means we are both bringing you up.”

“And you don’t have to call me anything else,” Brian said, seemingly being a step ahead on Nick.

Justin hadn’t even thought about where the conversation was leading.

“Are you sure?” Nick asked, worried.

“If this is about what you heard someone say at school, forget it. All families are different. I’ve been telling you from the moment I knew you understood what I was saying,” Justin reminded him seriously. “Like Brian said, you don’t have to call him anything else.”

Nick pursed his lips. “Okay, I guess.”

“Look, so it makes sense for you. Gus is Brian's son. He has always called me Justin.”

“You didn’t co-parent him,” Nick pointed out, making Brian throw his head back and laugh loudly.

“Kid’s got a point, but I insist. You don’t have to call me anything else…unless…you want to?” Brian finished his statement in a question.

“Duuuh. But I’m not sure what. That’s why I asked.”

Justin hugged Nick tightly, because he was too much, and it showed how close he had grown to Brian. He was entirely taken with him, and Justin couldn’t blame him.

Brian seemed moved by Nick’s words, and took him in his arms. “If you must, and it won’t get too confusing for you, you can use ‘dad’ or ‘pop’,” he explained.

“Okay.” Nick nodded against Brian's shoulder.

Brian caught Justin's eyes over Nick’s head, and they both had tears threatening to spill. Justin cupped Brian's cheek, catching his lips in a deep kiss.

“Thank you.”

Brian didn’t need an explanation for why Justin was expressing his gratitude. He kissed him back, before pulling away and getting up with Nick in his arms.

“How about you shower then get in bed?” he suggested.

“No shower. I’m tired,” Nick protested.

“Just for tonight, we’ll skip washing before bed,” Justin quipped, standing up, too. “I’ll load the dishwasher and come kiss you goodnight,” he promised.

“Give me the goodnight kiss now. I have to talk with Brian in private.”

Justin laughed loudly, amused at how serious his six-year-old son sounded. He kissed his forehead, patting his back. “Sleep tight.”

“See you in bed,” Brian said cheekily, heading out the room with Nick clinging to him like a koala.

There were times like these when Justin wasn’t sure how his life had thrown him into a different direction in a matter of seconds. As much as he knew that he and Brian were headed to getting married…light years away, like they had joked not that long ago, neither of them was ready for how their relationship affected Nick. It seemed he was ready to put labels on everything.

 

 

 

Chapter 37 by addict_writer

 

 

Brian had the worst last day at work before their holiday, he could have ever imagined.

He had overslept, which never happened to him, but he blamed the constant checking of lists and trying to get Nick to stop running around in excitement because of their upcoming trip.

After long debates, they had chosen a top resort in Florida Keys – in Big Pine Key, more exactly. It promised to have many games to entertain a six-year-old. If all failed, they trusted Gus to be a good older brother. Brian wanted to experience one or two day trips which weren’t child-friendly. Justin had reluctantly agreed he wanted to swim with the dolphins, and Brian wanted to check out their clubs at night.

After arriving late at work, Brian had strolled into the meeting room only to be monumentally disappointed by the shit boards his Art Department had created. Even his client apologized before leaving. If he hadn’t been pressed to have the ad ready within the week, he would allow Brian's team another chance.

Brian didn’t even have to ask how going to another agency would solve his problem on such short notice, because it was clear – this man had gone to several agencies and had them all work on his ad. If Brian hadn’t been his first option, he would have been insulted.

Next, he had to listen to Ted telling him about a new hire in the Art Department who came to complain to Ted personally about how he was never included in their activities. Ted had tried to explain how all interns had rocky starts, but that boy was excluded from everything, even joining the team for lunch.

It had taken Brian an impromptu meeting with his Art Department where he ripped them a new one for the failure that morning, then told them to behave like adults and accept there would always be a new intern in the company, and that didn’t mean they were getting replaced or kicked out of their jobs.

His lunch consisted in take-out food eaten over his keyboard with Damian next to him, working on his schedule and all important meetings he was going to miss because of his holiday. Brian insisted for Damian to call him any time, but only for urgent matters. Otherwise, he had Cynthia there.

Brian's evening had continued just as hectic as his morning, hopping from meeting to meeting, phone calls, and a long dinner with the shoe company, which he had tried to add to his portfolio for a while.

Now, on his way home, he listened to Justin's fifth voicemail message. They had all grown progressively angrier and quieter.

“Where the fuck are you? We have a plane to catch at five in the morning tomorrow! By the way, Gus had to call me and ask when I would arrive to pick him up. Thanks for forgetting to mention I was to pick him up.”

Brian guessed he had been smart to stop at a street corner flower shop and get a bunch of roses. He couldn’t even call it a bouquet. The lady wanted to head home, and the roses were one of the few flowers left. He hadn’t even asked about the price, after hearing her complaining about wanting to go home. He wasn’t there for her life story. He had handed her a bill of one hundred, and accepted about three dozen red roses from her.

Justin would probably shove them up his ass considering they were leaving in only a few hours for two weeks.

Brian tried calling Justin, but there was no answer. He tried to think it was because Justin was last-minute packing, and not because he was too upset with Brian to pick-up the phone.

When Brian stepped inside the house, he nearly tripped over the luggage stowed in the hallway. He tried to make as little noise as possible, because it was close to ten, and hopefully everyone was sleeping.

He left the roses on kitchen table, along with his briefcase.

“I DON’T WANT A BATH!!!”

The kid had lungs, Brian had to hand it to Nick.

A door slammed harshly from upstairs, as Brian made his way toward Nick’s room.

“I’ve had it with you. Stay dirty for all I fucking care.” Justin marched out of Nick’s room, stopping right before he could collide with Brian. “You deal with him,” Justin spat, heading downstairs.

Brian found Nick sobbing on his bed, and sat next to him. “Hey, what did we talk about bath time?”

“I’m clean,” he sobbed into his hands.

“Come on, Nick. You know showers take five minutes tops. Then you’ll sleep, because I’ll bet you’re tired.”

“I didn’t nap,” Nick admitted in a small voice. “We went to get Gus, then we finished packing.”

“You’ll tell me about your day, while you shower,” Brian urged him, nudging him toward the ad-joined bathroom.

“I didn’t upset Daddy. He was really angry when Gus called to get him from the airport,” Nick said, as Brian helped him out of his clothes.

“I’m sure. It’s my fault actually. I forgot to mention he had to go after Gus. We’ve all been stressed these past few days.”

“Daddy said I would sleep with Gus somewhere else. I want to sleep where you two sleep.”

“Where we go, it’s not like here, we won’t be down the hallway. But these small houses, which are called bungalows, are next to each other, with a common area between them,” Brian told him. “I showed you the pictures when we booked the thing.”

“I guess…” Nick focused on soaping himself once he was in the bathtub. “So I asked Gus about our Hush-Hush Project…”

“Nicolas,” Brian groaned. He had never used the boy’s full name, but he was amused at how adamant the boy was to play matchmaker for his dad.

“He’s cool with it. Gus even said we can join them for Daddy’s birthday in New York. You know, Daddy is taking Gus to a concert there.”

“Christ. I’ll think about it. I told you it was something I wanted to do…” Brian trailed off, thinking back on the day Nick had asked whether he should start calling Brian something else, since he and his dad were co-parenting him. That evening, Nick had told Brian calling him ‘pop’ or ‘dad’ as Brian had suggested, would make more sense if they were married. Against his better judgement, Brian had admitted to Nick how he planned on asking Justin for Christmas. To make sure the child wouldn’t spill the beans, they called their chat ‘The Hush-Hush Project’.

“It will make Daddy very happy,” Nick insisted, aiming the shower head over his shoulder to rinse his back, but in all honesty, the spray was aimed at Brian, who got soaked. “Ooops.”

“My ass, oops,” Brian mumbled, pulling off his drenched shirt. “Let me help.”

Once the shower was over and Nick was in his pajamas, Brian tucked him in, insisting that he had to sleep. They were going to be up in a few short hours.

Brian went to get out his dress pants, also wet from Nick’s shower. He was surprised not to find Justin in bed. After getting a pair of shorts on, he went downstairs in search of Justin.

Brian found him in the kitchen, leaning against the sink, drinking from a glass filled with clear liquid. He hoped it was water, because he would be in trouble if Justin decided to wait for him while drinking vodka.

Justin waved the glass toward the table, eyes holding pain. “I hate roses.”

Brian was about to scoff, because who the fuck hated roses? Besides, he could clearly remember Justin demanded for him to buy him roses in the past.

“Ethan used to get me roses after arguments…” Justin stared into his eyes. “…as you know, most of the arguments were because of you.” He downed his glass, which proved to Brian he had been right to guess there was vodka in there and not water. “Roses don’t mean a thing without emotion.” Justin snatched open the freezer’s door and pulled out a half empty bottle of Grey Goose. Brian could recall it had been almost full when he had last checked it.

“I’ll throw them out,” Brian said slowly, unsure what exactly Justin expected at the moment.

It had been the first time he had given in the temptation to do something right for Justin, and it seemed he had fucked up.

“You didn’t know,” Justin mumbled. “I appreciate the gesture…and yeah…these hold all the emotions,” he admitted, drinking his full glass in one gulp.

Brian strolled to him, taking the bottle from his hand. “I can’t believe I’m stopping you from drinking, but alcohol doesn’t solve your problems or erase your past. I’d know.”

Justin's wet, blue eyes met his, before he pressed his forehead against Brian's shoulder as a loud sob escaped him.

“I’m sorry, Sunshine. Fuck. I had no idea…”

Justin shook his head, sniffing loudly. “I’m sorry I was such an ass over the phone,” he mumbled. “As for the flowers…fuck them. But they were the breaking point after today.”

Brian pulled Justin at arm’s length. “What else happened? Me forgetting to tell you about picking Gus couldn’t have triggered this breakdown.”

Justin snatched the bottle, taking a gulp from it, narrowing his eyes and daring Brian to comment. “Today would have been Ethan’s birthday.”

“Jesus Christ. You didn’t say anything.” Brian pulled him into his arms.

“I forgot about it. I didn’t once make the connection when we decided on July twenty to begin our holiday.”

“Then how did you make the connection today was July nineteen?”

“On the way from the airport, Gus wanted to listen to the classical music channel. I told you how we were both known in certain circles. Well…today the show we caught live had an interview with Trevor West…he was Ethan’s agent. I almost fucking crashed the car when Trevor mentioned how such a great talent had to be celebrated on his birthday even if he was no longer among us.” Justin took a shaky breath. “I don’t even know why this still gets under my skin.”

“Don’t beat yourself up about how you feel. You only told me a hundred times it was normal to love two people.”

“But I feel like I’m betraying you for crying over him. As I was waiting for you now…I thought why this still makes me sad, angry, upset…all the emotions under the sky.” Justin let out a laugh which turned into a sob. “It’s because Ethan was always right. Every time he pointed out how I was fooling myself about my life never crossing paths with yours, I hated him for saying something like that. But in reality, I hated myself.”

Justin pulled away, heading to the table to touch the petals of the red roses. He turned to meet Brian's eyes. “I didn’t tell you…but we had a terrible fight after Mom visited us the day she found out about Nick and my secret life. Ethan repeated everything my mom had said, but in more harsh words. I knew he wanted to get a reaction…to see if I indeed still loved you…” Justin slumped in a chair, brushing at a stubborn tear rolling down his nose. “He left to get dinner, and he told me he wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t find me and Nick there when he returned.”

Brian joined him at the table, crouching at his feet, rubbing his knee. “He was far more cunning than I would have thought.”

Justin snorted. “As much as he hated you…and because he loved me…he was our biggest supporter.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “You stayed, though.”

Justin cringed. “I’m so glad Nick was so young and he doesn’t remember. I had him dressed, all sleepy and uncooperative, had a bag packed for us…I made it as far as the airport, Brian. During the cab ride, I gave myself hope. I was coming home to you. You were going to forgive me. You were going to accept Nick. It would be as if Ethan had never existed, and it was a bad episode in my life…on repeat. Then Nick woke up and asked where were we…where was Pappy…and that he wanted his penguin blankie.”

“Fuck, the damn penguin blankie made you return,” Brian teased, yet he understood exactly how hard it had been for Justin to make that decision.

“Yeah, the blankie is to blame…not me, being a moron. I arrived back home after Ethan had returned. I found him on the couch, staring at a picture of the three of us.”

“Oh, Justin. I can’t understand…what I mean is…I don’t know how…You’re so fucking strong and selfless. Like I said before, all that matters is that you are back here, where you belong.”

“I love you so fucking much.” Justin leaned down to hug Brian, and lost his balance, making them sprawl on the floor. “I think I’m drunk.”

“Let’s get some sleep.” Brian steered his man up the stairs.

“I might start loving roses again. Did you get so many to cover up for all the times you should have bought me flowers?”

“You’re such a…”

“…twat,” they said at the same time, laughing.

“Shhh,” Justin said loudly. “The kids are sleeping, dear.”

Brian opened the door of their room. “I hate repeating myself. You’re not allowed vodka anymore.”

“Vodka stopped being my drink when I hit my mid-twenties. I’ll be up in time for our flight to puke it out.”

.

.

.

True to his word, Justin had barely closed his eyes when the churning in his stomach made him sprint to the bathroom. He could hear Brian following him, but he didn’t have enough strength to close the door.

After emptying his stomach several times, he slumped against the wall, staring at his toes.

Brian handed him a bottle of water, crouching at his side. “Feeling better?”

Justin shook his head, because he could feel another round coming. “If you ever see me drinking vodka, knock me in the head with the bottle.”

“I tried stopping you,” Brian pointed out.

“It’s so not fair. You used to drink your weight in whiskey when you were my age, and I never saw you barfing or hangover.”

“It’s my Irish genes, dear.” Brian rubbed Justin's back, as he dove back for the toilet.

Once Justin felt somewhat better, Brian helped him in bed. “I’m changing the tickets to an afternoon flight. You won’t be able to fly in your condition.”

That was the last thing that registered to Justin.

When he woke up many hours later, he found Brian with Gus and Nick in the kitchen. They were staring at a map on Brian's tablet, while Gus was making a list of what sounded like groceries.

Justin's eyes found the clock on the wall next to the fridge, and he froze. It was one in the afternoon.

“You let me sleep throughout the day! When did you find another flight?”

“Good morning to you, too,” Gus said, laughing.

“I didn’t.” Brian caught Justin's hand, pulling him closer. “We’re taking the car.”

Justin felt Brian's forehead, making Brian slap his hand away.

“Road trip!” Nick clapped loudly.

“I’m going back to sleep. This is a nightmare. Next time I wake up, we would be on the plane to Florida.”

“Don’t be a drama princess. I found the best route. They say we could reach the resort in only twenty hours.” Brian pointed to his tablet.

Only twenty hours?” Justin cried out. “By taking a plane we’ll be there in a quarter of that time. You’ll have tan lines by the time we would have reached the destination in a car.”

“Tan lines are disgusting,” Brian said seriously. “We’re driving. I already talked at the hotel and they said they could shift us around depending when we arrive.”

“You’re unbelievable!” Justin threw his arms in the air.

Brian caressed Justin's sides. “I am.”

“Are you serious?” Justin insisted, because he held a candle of hope Brian was fucking with his hungover self.

“Dead serious.”

Justin went to peer of Gus’s shoulder at the list. “What’s this?”

“Food for the road.”

“Add something healthy in there, or your dad will starve.”

“Did you add the protein bars?” Brian asked.

“Yup.” Gus nodded.

“See? I’ll survive this trip,” Brian told Justin. “It will be fun.”

“I thought you hated road trips.”

“Yeah…sure. Only when I had to rescue a misbehaving seventeen-year-old punk from becoming a successful go-go boy in Chelsea.”

“You killed my dream before I could have become famous on Broadway,” Justin jested.

“I don’t want to know,” Gus mumbled, cringing.

“You don’t,” Justin assured him.

“A little story for the road trip? I’ll tell you all about how Justin stole my credit card and left for New York when he was seventeen.”

“After you kicked me out from the only place I could call home,” Justin pointed out.

“I don’t want to know,” Gus repeated loudly. “All your stories end up in you gushing over Justin.”

“Awww…Brian, you told Gus many of our stories?”

“I don’t gush,” Brian hissed.

“Sure, sure,” Justin and Gus said at the same time, leaning into each other and laughing.

“Let’s get dressed, Nick.” Brian picked Nick up, leaving the kitchen.

“You’re a marshmallow.”

Justin laughed with tears at hearing Nick telling Brian how he viewed him.

“You’re all a bunch of traitors,” Brian shouted.

 

“We love you, you big marshmallow,” Justin called out, before dissolving into another round of laughter with Gus.

End Notes:

I borrowed the line about roses not meaning a thing with emotion from Adam Lambert's song 'Roses', which is one of my favorites.

Chapter 38 by addict_writer

 

 

After the most relaxing and fun-filled couple of weeks, their vacation had come to an abrupt end. The wake-up to reality happened on the way back when Nick realized how close to Disneyland he was.

Despite Brian's warnings and Justin's knowledge of how crowded the park got, he caved and convinced Brian to make a detour to Orlando.

Gus was all for staying in the car, but Brian told him to come along because someone had to keep an eye on Nick. Justin knew Brian wasn’t going to be able to take care of both Nick and Justin, but he had hoped nothing could trigger his panic attack on a Tuesday morning.

Of course, the park was as packed as expected, especially the hottest spots for children.

They managed to ride only a couple of games, before going to check out the food area. This was where Justin felt like he was going to suffocate and there seemed to be no escape from the crowd. He was vaguely aware of Brian handing Gus his credit card and telling him to bring Nick to the car after getting food.

All Justin could focus on was Brian's arms around him as they made their way through the masses. He could heard Brian trying to calm him, but he couldn’t pay attention to the words.

Only when they reached the Jeep, and Brian helped Justin in the passenger seat, muttering under his breath – these words, Justin could hear clearly. Brian was upset with how utterly stupid Justin had been.

“I’m sorry,” Justin managed to mumble.

“Next time, you better listen to me.”

It took another hour for Gus and Nick to return to the car.

They ate in silence, before continuing their journey home.

Justin had fallen asleep after accepting a Xanax from Brian, without even questioning why he had such a pill on him.

He was brutally jerked awake by the car coming to an abrupt stop as Brian gripped the steering wheel to keep the car right on the road. It was dark outside.

“What happened?” Gus gasped.

A second later Nick started crying loudly, and Justin fought with his seatbelt, turning to check if his son had been injured. He appeared to be still tightly strapped to his seat, only shaken.

“It’s okay, baby. What happened, Brian?” He patted Nick’s leg, turning to meet Brian's eyes.

“I drove over something and I think we have a punctured tyre.”

“Christ.”

“You okay, Gus?” Brian caught his eyes in the rearview mirror.

“Yeah. It looked like gravel. I was looking out the window.”

“Whatever it was, I’m going to check the tyres and the car,” Brian said, getting out.

Justin turned the interior light on, looking for his phone, which had fallen from his lap during the harsh stop.

Brian knocked on his window, jerking his head, motioning for Justin to join him outside.

“Stay put,” Justin said to Nick, as he left the car. “What is it?”

Brian pointed to the back tyre, slashed out. “It wasn’t gravel, and I don’t even care what it was, at this point.” He looked up at the night sky, glaring at it.

“Well…do you have a spare?”

“Do you know how to change a tyre?” Brian challenged.

“Don’t you? Wait, I remember Emmett's story from when you came after me in New York,” Justin snorted.

“Laugh away, Taylor.”

“So, spare tyre? You’re helping me since we don’t have Emmett around to do it for you. I can’t believe Emmett knows how to change a tyre, and you don’t! He doesn’t even own a car.”

“Stop gloating. I never bothered to learn this, because I could always call for help. The upside? The mechanic who came to assist me with my little problem got a tip he most-likely never forgot.” Brian winked.

“I bet it was more than the tip,” Justin teased, following Brian to the back of the car to get the spare. “And the tool box,” Justin said over his shoulder, as he rolled the tyre to the right rear side.

“You took it out so we could fit all the bags, remember?” Brian pointed out.

“That was the tool box?” Justin leaned against the side of the car. “Why did you have your tools in a leather box? I thought you kept your spare toys in there.”

“In the car?” Brian lifted a brow, amused at Justin's overactive imagination.

“Well…we’re fucked.”

“We’re actually thirty minutes from home,” Brian explained. “Let me call Honeycutt since he’s an expert at changing tyres.”

“It’s…like…” Justin checked his phone. “It’s one in the morning, Brian. Be reasonable.”

“Would you walk home?”

“We can call a tow company.”

Brian rolled his eyes, already dialing Emmett's number. He walked several feet away, pacing.

Justin rounded the car, gesturing for Gus to roll his window down. “We’re stuck here until Emmett comes to rescues us.”

“Why can’t you guys change the tyre on your own?” Justin could guess that Lindsay and Melanie never had such a ridiculous problem, and they had taken matters in their own hands. Justin would have done the handiwork himself if they had a tool box.

“I’m sure you heard the conversation I was having with your dad. I took out the tool box when I had to make sure all our bags fit in the trunk.”

Trunk,” Gus huffed. “Three of me could fit casually in that place.”

“We had many bags. And now we have even more.” Justin pointed to the ones stowed between the front seats and the backseat bench.

Brian joined them, touching the small of Justin's back. “Emmett and Drew are coming over.”

“I’m thirsty,” Nick announced loudly.

“Did you drink all your juice from earlier?” Brian asked.

“Yes.”

“What juice?” Justin asked, curiously.

“We stopped for a refill in a gas station and I got everyone snacks and juice. I got you a water, though.”

“Do you want my water?” Justin offer, going in the driver’s seat to search for the bottle Brian was talking about. When he found it, he uncapped it and handed it to Nick. “Let me know if you want to pee after drinking so much.”

“I’m good,” Nick mumbled.

Justin climbed out and closed the door, going to Brian who was leaning against the back of the car. He had a foot on the protection bar, smoking, and staring at the clear sky.

“How are you feeling?” Brian whispered, pulling Justin closer.

“Much better. I was an idiot,” Justin admitted.

“You were. And I was a bigger idiot to allow it to happen. I know you wanted Nick to have fun and see how Disneyland was…”

“At least, he had a blast,” Justin said quietly, taking the box of cigarettes from Brian's hand. Justin shook one out and lit it, taking a pull. “I fucking hate not being able to enjoy these things with him.”

“I’m curious how you managed at the Pride Parade in New York, now that I know how badly crowds still affect you.” Brian picked the cigarette from Justin's fingers.

“We marched with the other parents, and escaped as soon as Nick complained about being tired or hungry…which was fast,” Justin joked. “Maybe next year we’ll go to New York for the parade. It’s different, trust me. If you’re with the correct group, it’s not as chaotic.”

“You mean the ones with the noose around their necks?” Brian grimaced.

Justin retrieved his cigarette. “Not necessarily. Not all couples are married, many of them are co-parenting.”

“Huh. I figured everyone had rushed to the city hall since gay marriages are recognized in NY.”

“Come on, Brian. You know better than anyone else…not everyone wants a piece of paper to tie them together forever.”

“So that’s no longer a dream of yours?” Brian checked, accepted the cigarette.

Justin shrugged. “Light years away,” he teased, meeting Brian's eyes. “And only if it’s something you want. I don’t want you to take this step for me, or worse, because of me.”

“Okay, okay. I get it. But do you still want this?” Brian insisted.

“Truth?” Justin leaned into Brian's side, touching his chest. “It makes life easier due to different names bureaucracy.”

“Justin,” Brian groaned, because he was stalling.

Justin titled his head to find Brian's amused, hazel eyes. “I’m afraid. This is something I’ve wanted for all my life…I mean, being your husband…but I’m afraid we’ve waited for too long and I’m worried it won’t mean anything at the end.”

Brian gasped. “As you know, marriage was never something I wanted, but you made me see the advantages…the bright side of this whole ordeal.”

Justin chuckled. “Somehow, I feel like you want this more than me, which is funny.”

“I want to join in the talks at the water cooler about what restaurant I sampled with my husband, what new ways I managed to upset my husband, how we made up and the hot sex we had…”

Justin threw his head back, laughing loudly. “I knew you had an ulterior motive.”

Brian grinned, catching Justin's lips in a deep kiss. “I want to be your husband,” he whispered against Justin's mouth.

“Fuck,” Justin whimpered, pressing against Brian's front. “You really have a way to propose to me.”

Brian combed his fingers through Justin's hair. “This is not me proposing …it’s just a statement. Trust me, you will know when I propose to you.”

A loud honk made them pull apart, when Justin was ready to fall to his knees and hope no one, especially not the kids, would catch them. They turned to see Drew’s Hummer pulling up on the opposite lane.

“Hey, lovebirds!” Emmett chirped, skipping across the road.

“You’re a life-saver! Thank you so much for coming at this time of night,” Justin said, going to hug their friend.

“No need to worry. I’m part-time mechanic, too,” Emmett joked.

“Hey, guys!” Drew joined them with his tool box.

“This way,” Brian said, leading Drew to the other side of the car.

Emmett went to greet the children, while Justin went to check if Brian and Drew needed help.

“Can you take Gus and Nick out of the car?” Brian asked quietly.

“Sure.”

“Take them to my car if they’re tired,” Drew offered, already taking a jack out of his tool box.

With Emmett's help, Justin moved Nick and Gus to Drew’s car. Nick had fallen asleep, and Gus wasn’t far behind from nodding off. Justin kept Emmett from going back to their men, grabbing his elbow.

“Uh, remember when Brian joked about you finding your notes about our fluke of a weeding?”

“No way!” Emmett cupped his mouth.

“He kept hinting at it, but I was sure it was one of his jokes…but the more he brings it in discussions, the more I believe he means it. He didn’t ask me, well…not in so many words, and he said I’d know when he proposed again…”

“Oh, baby!” Emmett threw his arms around Justin. “Of course, I still have your notes.”

“Great. I might surprise him and be the one to ask him, since he’s so adamant about getting married,” Justin said, joyfully.

“I’ll bet Brian will be shocked.”

“Yeah, but I think this is something he wants to do…so I won’t steal his show,” Justin decided. “You just be prepared.” Justin winked.

“Whenever you stopped flirting with Honeycutt, get your ass here. We need help,” Brian shouted from around the Jeep.

“Jealous much?” Emmett teased.

“I don’t do jealousy,” Brian snapped. “Piece of shit.” He kicked at the tyre, which didn’t want to be pulled off the hub.

“Did you take off the nuts?” Justin asked, crouching next to Brian to check what he had done wrong.

“I did,” Drew said from a few feet away. “And we have another problem. My jack broke, and I have to keep it with my hand to hold the car up.”

“Move away.” Emmett waved at Brian and Justin.

He had the old tyre out and the new one in place faster than anyone expected. He was screwing in the bolts and lug nuts when Gus called from Drew’s car that Nick was awake and wanted Justin.

Justin wiped his dirty hands on his jeans and sprinted across the empty street to the Hummer. He climbed in the backseat, hugging his son.

“I’m here, kiddo. Brian's car needed a tyre change.”

“Where are we?” Nick mumbled, burrowing closer into Justin's chest. “It’s so hot.”

“Yeah, well…it’s July. What did you expect? We’re going home soon, and we’ll have the AC on, okay?”

Gus yawned loudly. “Yeah, summers here are brutal.”

“You haven’t experiences summers in New York,” Justin told him, amused. “You feel like you’re melting.”

“Gross.”

Emmett came over, opening the back door and clapping. “All done! You can go home. Brian promised I could throw you a ‘welcome back’ party for saving your asses.”

Justin grimaced. “Nothing too much…”

“You know me.”

“That’s why I’m afraid,” Justin joked. He picked Nick up, carrying him back to the Jeep. He clung to Justin, not allowing him to move away. When Gus joined them, Justin steered him to the passenger seat.

“Think you can talk Emmett out of the party I agreed for him to throw us?” Brian asked, once he got behind the steering wheel.

“He was so excited when he told me what you agreed to…” Justin teased.

“Fuck. Fine, we’ll suffer.”

“We have to share with them pictures and stories,” Justin said, amused.

“I hope this party will be after I return to Toronto,” Gus quipped.

“Don’t be a party-pooper. We’ll need your input for when you babysat Nick,” Brian admonished him lightly.

“I’m sure everyone will be so happy to hear you left Nick with me while you went to clubs every night.”

“We didn’t go every night,” Justin retorted, before Brian could point out how Gus wasn’t old enough to join them to the clubs.

“Yeah, even if you stayed in, I had to keep him from coming over. As big as that place was…it wasn’t soundproof,” Gus groaned.

“Don’t tell your moms,” Brian said hurriedly. “They’ll never allow you to visit again.”

“Don’t worry. I didn’t mind keeping Nick company. He’s such a sweet kid. Compared to Jenny…I would have preferred to have him as a younger brother growing up.”

“We covered that she’s the devil’s spawn. Between Melanie and Michael…what did you expect?” Brian laughed.

“At least, she got better as she grew older…somewhat,” Gus mumbled.

“I know exactly how you feel, Gus. I resented my sister for years. I was older than you when I started accepting her, if that helps. Which reminds me, I have to return Molly’s call and meet up now that she has returned to Pittsburgh.”

“Oh, right. She called the other day,” Brian remembered.

“Yeah, and I cut her short because you were an idiot in the ocean with Nick.”

“He was having fun. You’re just paranoid.”

 

 

 

Chapter 39 by addict_writer

 

 

“I’ll come get you from Kinnetik as soon as I’m done with my sister,” Justin told Nick.

“Why can’t I come with you?” The little boy pouted.

“Because your dad hasn’t seen his sister in years and he needs to do this alone,” Brian interjected. “Come on, you can stay in my office and color, or in the daycare with the other kids.”

Nick perked up when he heard he could stay with Brian. “Okay.”

Justin relaxed, knowing his son accepted the situation. He turned to Brian, who was playing with the car keys.

“Thank you. This shouldn’t take long. I should be back around lunchtime. Want me to get something?”

“Whatever you want. And don’t worry about Nick.”

Justin grinned, wrapping his arms around Brian and kissing him soundly. Brian held Justin close, deepening the kiss.

“What sort of behavior is this in front of the child?” Ted tsked, stopping next to them.

Justin glanced at Nick who was watching them with a big smile. The kid probably still believed he had played matchmaker and convinced Brian to date his dad and make him happy.

“You’re late. Do you want me to fire you for tardiness?” Brian jested.

“We stayed up late. It was my thirteenth anniversary,” Ted admitted.

Brian clapped his back. “Promise to throw a big bash for Sweet Sixteen?”

“I’ll have to ask Emmett.”

“Thirteenth anniversary? Since you first met Blake?” Justin asked, confused.

“I first met Blake around the time you met Brian. No, I’ve been sober for thirteen years,” Ted explained.

“Oh. Crap. I’m an idiot,” Justin mumbled, because he hadn’t thought of that. He had even managed to forget the trouble Ted had been through, but he hadn’t been around their group much back then because he was dating Ethan.

“Go, before you’re late, too. Your sister will report to Mother Taylor about how lazy you are.” Brian shoved Justin playfully.

“She will never,” Justin claimed, but crouched to hug Nick and kiss his forehead. “See you soon, baby.”

“Bye, Daddy!”

Justin waved to Brian and Ted, heading toward the mouth of the alley into the main street. Molly had chosen a coffee shop just off Liberty Avenue, and Justin was grateful for it.

He had never been to this particular coffee house, but it looked fancy from outside. It had a bohemian air with white walls and intricate trims.

Justin climbed the steps to the main entrance, and stepped inside through double French doors, looking around.

The place wasn’t crowded, and it wasn’t difficult to spot Molly. What made him feel faint was the person at her side. His mom had told him on several occasions that Molly had a boyfriend, but she didn’t know who he was.

Justin wished for a sign to tell him he was seeing things, because someone would leave in tears from this place. The person beside his sister was none other than his number one enemy – Chris motherfucking Hobbs.

“Justin!” Molly skipped to him, meeting him in the middle of the room.

Justin hugged her by instinct, but he kept his eyes on Hobbs, who had paled. He was curious how they could escape this sticky situation. He had to get his sister alone and tell her the truth.

No one had talked about Justin's near-death experience with her. Sure, she knew that Justin had been in the hospital, then he had extremely volatile behavior once he was out, but no one had told Molly what had happened, who had caused him to act like that.

“Mollusk,” he said quietly, hugging her tightly. “It’s been ages.” He chose to focus on having his sister close after what felt like centuries.

“I wanted to visit you in New York, but Mom didn’t allow me. And then…with college and classes in the way, I couldn’t escape. And I lost hope in Dad ever buying me a car…”

“What,” Justin spat. “Don’t tell me that piece of shit isn’t doing his part of the deal.”

“Don’t get upset. Forget it. Come, meet my boyfriend.” She took his hand, pulling him to the table.

Hobbs winced, and Justin could clearly remember their last encounter. Justin was also pleased to realize none of his old feelings were present. There was no fear or anxiety, only loathing that grew in intensity the longer he stared at his basher.

“Molly, I can’t,” Justin said abruptly.

“What? You have to go already?” She sounded heartbroken.

“I will go,” Hobbs offered.

“Don’t do this. You promised to stay with me when I tell Justin,” Molly protested, turning to him.

Hobbs got up and came to stand by Molly’s side. He glanced at Justin, before focusing on her. “There’s no easy way to say it…and I’m sure Justin will appreciate if I make the first step here. I told you I once did a terrible thing in high school…how I put someone in the hospital because I was a complete moron back then.”

Justin bit his cheek to comment, because Hobbs had been more than a moron. He would have been charged with attempt murder if he were eighteen, but he wasn’t, so he ended up mopping floors at the community center.

“Yeah, but you’ve changed,” Molly insisted. “Why are you even bringing that in discussion?” she added slowly.

“Because he almost killed me on Prom,” Justin said in a steady voice, but he suddenly felt as if the room was spinning. He gripped the back of the nearest chair.

Molly took a step back. “No! No, this can’t…it’s not…”

“You never showed me a picture of your brother, but it did cross my mind once or twice that it could be the same Justin I knew. I mean the family name and him being a painter added up…” Hobbs continued. “That’s why I told you the story. I didn’t tell you any names, because I was scared.”

“Oh, God.” Molly’s wet eyes met Justin's. “I’m sorry, Jus.”

“You didn’t know. And yeah, this is fucked up…”

“I’ll let you talk to him. Then…we’ll have a talk later, if you want,” Hobbs said slowly, shoving his hands in his pockets.

“Of course, I want! This whole thing is insane!” Molly threw her hands in the air.

Hobbs cleared his throat, turning to face Justin. Justin narrowed his eyes at him, feeling his defense walls raising because he wasn’t sure what to expect. A million memories flashed before his eyes – the times Hobbs had shoved him in the school hallways, when Justin used to watch Hobbs practice for his football games, when Justin had given him a hand job, and his still freshly recovered memory…when Hobbs had noticed Brian crashing their Prom and coming to dance with Justin…and then the hateful act he had committed in the garage.

“I’m really sorry, Justin. I don’t think I ever properly apologized…not like my words will ever make it better.”

Justin was rendered speechless, because he hadn’t expected to hear those exact words from Hobbs. “Whatever,” he muttered.

Hobbs headed to the door, but Molly called his name, and Justin hoped she wouldn’t make him stay. She hurried to where he had stopped, and they exchanged soft words, and he handed her a set of keys before kissing her, and leaving.

Justin hadn’t meant to stare for that long, but by witnessing their body-language and the way he had kissed her, it was clear they were in love.

“Oh, Justin,” Molly moaned, joining him. “Oh, God…this sucks. Shit, what am I going to do?”

Justin slumped in one of the chairs, pulling the closest one out for Molly to sit in. “You can say again that this sucks.”

“I was hoping for a casual morning, catching up. I actually expected you’d bring Brian, that’s why I insisted for Christ to join me.”

Justin choked on his spit. “You should be so happy it is only me. If Brian had seen Hobbs, it wouldn’t have ended well.”

“Damn…Our plan was to see Mom this evening,” she mumbled.

Justin scrubbed his face. “How serious is it?”

“It doesn’t even matter at this point. I won’t hurt you like this.”

“Molly, I know someone in love when I see them. And as much as I hate Hobbs, I could tell that you’re both in love. He looks completely changed, too.” Justin stared at his hands, unsure what the best decision was in their situation.

He couldn’t forbid his sister to see Hobbs, yet he knew that if they kept dating the tension in the family would grow until someone snapped. And it would end in Molly being hurt no matter what decision would be taken.

“Just tell me…how serious?” Justin insisted.

Tears sprung in Molly’s eyes. “We wanted to get married. Uh…I’m pregnant.”

“Fuck,” Justin spat, leaning back in the chair. “Shit. Fuck, Molly.”

“We covered it…it’s fucked up.” She managed a small smile.

“That’s why you came back home?”

“I came back because I finished college. Chris opened his own construction company a couple of years ago, and I decided to help him until he could find people. Yeah, we’re in love…I love him a lot, Justin. And this other thing…I found out last week when we returned. It wasn’t planned, or anything.”

“Christ. Let’s catch up and find the best plan to tell Mom,” he decided. “Did you order?”

“We were waiting for you…” she whispered.

“What sort of coffee do you like? I’ll get for both of us.” He stood, cupping her shoulder.

“Black tea, please.”

“Mom would be proud of your WASPy behavior.”

Molly huffed. “That’s what Chris tells me when I order tea at a coffee house.”

“I hate to agree with him, but it can’t get more posh than that,” Justin teased, heading to the counter.

.

.

.

After catching up for a couple of hours, and touching the dreaded subject of the gravity of what had happened to Justin on his Prom, they chose to call their mother and meet her at a restaurant downtown.

When they climbed down the stairs of the coffee house, Justin was about to point out they didn’t have a car and he hated public transport, but Molly led him to a white Mercedes.

“Remember how I mentioned I lost hope in Dad ever getting me a car? Well, this was a gift from Chris for coming home and also an engagement present.”

Justin whistled. “Fancy.”

“It’s not just mine…it’s ours. He had to change his old car, and we chose this. I wanted it white.”

“Good luck becoming a frequent visitor at the car wash,” Justin snorted, getting in the passenger seat.

The car still smelled of new and all leather and wood. It was so modern and expensive looking that he didn’t want to know how much it had cost. It also proved Hobbs was loaded.

“I’m going to call Chris about this change of plans…” she said, unsure.

“Go ahead. I also have to call Brian and tell him I’m doing lunch with you and Mom.”

It turned out Brian was in a meeting, and his new assistant, Damian, promised to rely the message. Damian also assured Justin that Nick was alright and currently napping on the sofa in Brian's office.

Justin caught the end of Molly’s conversation with Hobbs, where she promised to pick him from wherever he was when she was done.

“Look, Molly…” Justin said quietly, once she hung up. “I don’t want Mom to influence your decision. As insane as this situation is…I will never attempt to break you up. I know how it is for people to disagree with my relationship, and I’d hate to be the bad guy and tell you who you should date…marry…have a child with…”

“But it hurts you,” she protested.

“Judging by what you told me, he’s nothing like I know. Of course, I will always see him in a certain way, but if he makes you happy, I don’t care about the past.”

Molly shot him an incredulous look, as she started driving toward the restaurant they were meeting Jennifer.

“Okay, I care…but I’ve recently decided to leave the past where it belongs and embrace the present and the future. That’s all that matters.”

She pursed her lips. “Mom will go ballistic.”

“Don’t expect her to be as understanding as me. God knows how long it took her to accept my relationship with Brian.”

“But it’s different! Brian didn’t try to kill anyone.”

Justin winced. “I’m still shocked Hobbs told you about this part of his past.”

“Like he said, he never told me any names. Maybe if he had…we wouldn’t be here. I’ve been seeing him for over three years, Justin. Of course, I talked a lot about you…but I didn’t have a picture of you,” Molly explained.

Justin sighed loudly, trying not to think of what ifs, because the reality was that he had to learn to accept who made his little sister happy. “I promise to be on your side if Mom starts screaming.”

“I don’t deserve you, Jus.”

“Shut up, and focus on the road. Remind me to never get in a car with you.”

“I’m a good driver,” she defended her atrocious driving skills.

“Whoever told you that is a damn good liar…or he loves you too much to comment on how he probably shits his pants whenever he drives with you,” Justin commented, amused.

Molly got a thoughtful look. “You know, now that you mentioned it…Chris rarely lets me drive. I thought it was sweet that he wanted to be the one behind the wheel.”

“He probably wants to live to see another day too much to allow you to drive. Watch out! It’s red,” Justin groaned. “Christ. You’re making me want to walk across town.”

Molly made sure the doors were locked. “You’re not escaping. And from now on I’m driving everywhere.”

“There are other ways to off your boyfriend…fiancé.”

“Justin,” she gasped, scandalized.

“What? Just saying,” he teased. “I’m sure Mom and Brian would be happy to assist with that task.”

“Don’t remind me how everyone will probably consider me a monster for dating…wanting to marry the man who had tried to kill my brother.”

“And I’ll be your bodyguard. Though, as much as I hate this…I would like to have a chat with that asshole…in private.” Justin knew if he managed to have a decent conversation with Hobbs where they put the past to rest and all the hatred and fear and anxiety they had caused each other, they might come to a common agreement to accept the situation.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Molly checked, meeting his eyes.

“No,” Justin admitted with a laugh. “But it’s something I have to do. And I’ll bet Hobbs wants it, too.”

“He mentioned he would like to talk to you,” she said quietly.

 

“Good.”

End Notes:

Hold the pitchforks I'm sure you want to throw at me. =)

Chapter 40 by addict_writer

 

 

It was late evening when Justin stepped into Brian's office at Kinnetik. Brian pushed away from his desk as soon as he saw the drawn look on Justin's face.

“What happened?” He strode to him, cupping his shoulders.

“You’re not going to believe me,” Justin moaned, leaning into Brian's chest. “I feel like I have been part of a Twilight Zone episode today.”

“Tell me,” Brian urged him.

Justin looked around for Nick to find him asleep on the sofa, before pulling Brian to the table a few feet away. “I talk, you listen. Don’t interrupt and don’t start screaming,” he warned.

Brian watched him warily, sitting next to Justin at the table. He soon realized it was close to impossible to keep quiet, when Justin told him who his sister was dating. The more Justin talked, the angrier Brian got. He couldn’t believe Justin was so quick to accept the situation, even point out how everyone had been against their relationship at the beginning.

Brian held a hand up. “You said not to interrupt, but let me just point out how I never attempted to kill anyone in your family…or in general.”

Justin narrowed his eyes. “I don’t want to fight with you, as well. I already had a show with Mom in this fancy restaurant. Molly left in tears.”

“Where the fuck is your common sense, Justin? You expect me to believe that scumbag has changed so drastically? You trust him to make a home with your sister?”

“Yes – plain and simple: YES,” Justin snapped. “Molly has told me a lot about him, and after my last encounter with him…which was still too close to Prom and all that…” Justin scratched his head. “Look, I plan on meeting with him to have a chat. I promise to you I am fine and I can do this.”

“Alone with him?” Brian thundered.

“I left all my fear caused by him on his back porch during Pink Posse.”

Brian glared, eyeing him suspiciously.

“I’ll tell you another time. We’re even.”

“Does this have anything to do with that gun you carried around?”

“Are you fighting again?” Nick asked, anxiously from behind them.

“Christ, make some noise!” Justin jumped out of his chair. “We’re not fighting.”

“It didn’t sound like a normal talk,” Nick insisted.

“Don’t worry. Let’s head home. We’ll finish this later,” Brian told Justin.

Brian seethed in silence as they drove home. He didn’t believe Justin when he said all his old fears around Hobbs were gone. Brian couldn’t understand how Justin could be so blasé about the whole thing, and what the fuck had he done the night he confronted Hobbs during his Pink Posse era.

“Did you guys eat?” Justin asked as they parked in front of the house.

“Yes,” Brian answered curtly.

“I want to play on the console,” Nick announced them.

“Aren’t you tired?” Justin protested.

“He just woke up from his fucking nap. We’ll play for only thirty minutes,” Brian said to Nick.

“There’s no need to curse,” Justin said upset, getting out of the car.

“Excuse me for being worried about you and what you plan on doing.” Brian slammed his door shut so hard, the car shook.

“Could you calm down? You’re scaring Nick,” Justin snapped, helping his son out of the backseat. Nick clung to Justin, eyeing Brian warily. “What game do you want to play?”

“Mario.”

“Of course.” Justin rolled his eyes, heading to the front door.

Brian marched past them, unlocking the door and leaving it open as he disappeared up the stairs after taking his shoes off.

“Are you sure you’re not fighting?” Nick insisted in his most innocent and concerned voice.

“We just need to talk about what’s bothering Brian. Let’s change out of these clothes and then we can play.” Justin followed Brian upstairs with Nick in his arms.

“Only if Brian joins us.”

That would be difficult at how upset Brian us. “You’ll have to ask him yourself,” Justin said, knowing Brian wouldn’t deny Nick anything.

Not long later, the three of them where playing Mario Kart in the living room, but Justin was acutely aware of how distracted Brian was. He even abandoned them after two games, telling Nick, they would have a rematch another day.

Nick accepted the big, fat lie, and played several other rounds with his dad. Until Justin decided it was time for a bath and to sleep.

Brian sat on the porch swing with a bottle of Beam, attempting to calm down. The last thing he wanted was to have a fight with Justin about who Molly was dating.

Justin joined him as dusk settled around them. He lit himself a cigarette from the box on the rocker, smoking it compulsively, before squishing the butt in the ashtray. His hands shook as he lit another one, turning to meet Brian's eyes.

“For me, it’s water under the bridge. Yes, I will always hate him for what he has done to me, but I’ve moved on.” Justin took the bottle from Brian's hand, taking a swig. “On my last night in Pink Posse, Cody and I went after Hobbs. I made him kneel at my feet. I put the gun in his mouth. I made him apologize.”

Brian stared at him in horror, but he understood why Justin felt so at peace with the past. He couldn’t believe the secret Justin had kept from him.

“In those moments filled with adrenaline, I felt like I won. In time, I realized I was worse than him for repaying him in a similar matter to what he had done to me. I wanted him to feel the same fear I had felt every fucking second I was out in the street, in a crowd, in a store…anywhere…after the bashing. And he probably pissed himself when I pulled the trigger.”

“What,” Brian cried out.

“The gun was empty.”

“It doesn’t matter!”

“Look, the point here is…we’re even. Besides being shocked at who had walked into the coffee house, I could see raw fear in his eyes earlier. And it wasn’t fear as in he was worried I might try to tell Molly to break up with him. It was real fear. And trust me, I know that feeling well.”

“Fuck, Justin.” Brian pulled him closer, forgetting about trying to convince him to talk sense into his sister about who she was dating.

Justin took a pull from his cigarette, relaxing into Brian's embrace. “She’s pregnant. They want to get married.”

“Are you serious?”

“They only found out last week that she was pregnant. He had asked her a while ago.” Justin tilted his head, cupping Brian's cheek. “I know it looks like I’m their greatest support and you probably think I’ve lost my mind…but he loves her. I saw enough to know it. And don’t get me started on Molly. Even though, she’s ready to accept whatever I decide, she is so in love with him.”

“You got one thing right,” Brian mumbled. “You’ve lost your mind. What did your mom say?”

“She made a scene, and we were nearly kicked out of the restaurant. Not very WASPy of her.” Justin tsked under his breath. “We’re having brunch at her house this Saturday…where we have to bring our spouses.”

“Cute. We’ll have to see who can stay with Nick, because that environment won’t be child-friendly,” Brian decided.

“Maybe we’ll ship him off to Daphne. She asked me the other day when we would visit.” Justin took another gulp from the whiskey. “In the meantime, I have only two days to have that chat with Hobbs.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Brian asked. He was worried to have Justin in the same place as Hobbs, all alone.

“You don’t understand how at peace I have come with the whole Prom thing. Especially since my memories came back, and I managed to make order in the chaos. I can’t explain to you my exact feelings toward him…but my gut is telling me I will make a huge ass mistake to stay between him and Molly. And if everyone resents Molly for marrying him and having a baby with him…I will be her biggest supporter.” Justin took another pull from the cigarette, flicking ash in the ashtray. “Trust me, Brian. You know when I’m not okay with something…you always had this freaky extra sense. I’m more than okay now.”

“That’s what scares me,” Brian admitted. “What if you realize one day what a big mistake you made? What if something triggers your panic attacks around him? How do you think Molly would feel?”

“Well…I didn’t think of that. What’s with the pessimism? Let’s rehash this conversation after my chat with him. Somehow, I’m not worried about being all alone with him, but brunch at Mom’s…now that’s a scary concept.”

Brian snorted. “You need to sort out your priorities, Sunshine. If anything happens…by which I mean, if you get a panic attack, you better call me.”

“But you’ll be there.”

“During your chat with that piece of shit.”

“Oh. Okay, I promise.” Justin pressed his lips to Brian's. He sighed loudly. “Thank you for listening to me. You looked ready to commit murder when you found out who my sister is dating.”

“I was all for not being understanding, but then you told me how you made yourself justice during Pink Posse. Did I ever mention how I despised what you were doing back then? I was terrified you weren’t going to return every fucking night you were out. You could have stumbled over the worst sort of homophobes who could have really hurt you.”

“I know you were scared for me. I’ve done a lot of stupid things in my teen years…”

“All because of him…the snake…who you are welcoming as part for your family now,” Brian said pointedly.

“Trust me,” Justin insisted.

“Oh, I trust you. And it’s admirable what you want to do, but sometimes it’s best to do the rational thing.”

“My sister in pregnant. She’s happy. Let me convince myself…I will know if anything from the old Hobbs is present, and you have my word that I will become the bad guy to tell Molly to break it off with him.”

Justin moved to straddle Brian. “Can this thing hold us?”

“It already is…” Brian pointed out, sneaking a hand inside Justin's pants, cupping his ass. “It should,” he added, knowing what Justin had meant.

“Good.” Justin wrapped his fingers in Brian's hair, kissing him with ardor. He started rubbing against Brian's lap, as he rolled Brian's shirt up until he had it off his head.

Brian made quick work of their pants and underwear, before pushing two fingers in Justin's mouth to get them wet. He sucked on them holding Brian's eyes, making Brian moan. He soon replaced his fingers with his mouth against Justin's, slowly probing his hole with his saliva coated fingers.

Justin gasped, arching his back when Brian breached him.

“Does it hurt?” Brian checked.

“More spit,” Justin admitted. He spat in his palm, before touching the spot when Brian's fingers were disappearing inside him. “Don’t stop,” he begged.

“I’ll never understand when you became such a pain queen.”

“It doesn’t hurt,” Justin promised. “And I’m too horny to get lube from inside.”

“We have some in the kitchen,” Brian pointed out.

“At how much we fuck, I don’t need that much stretching,” Justin laughed.

“I’ve created a monster,” Brian laughed along, kissing down Justin's throat. He soon replaced his fingers with the tip of his dick. He hadn’t expected getting used to fuck Justin raw so fast, but condoms were a thing of the past.

“Oh, God!” Justin cried out, grabbing the back of the swing, throwing his head back. “So full, fuck.” He started rocking slowly, making them swing back and for. Brian gripped Justin's ass, pumping up as fast as the swinging motion allowed them.

When Justin planted his feet on either side of Brian's hips, he managed only a few movements before they toppled down. Justin lay on his back on the porch, with Brian half draped over him, miraculously still inside of him.

“Shit!” Justin's wide eyes stared at the swing as it moved toward them, and he wrapped his arms around Brian's head, pulling him down. He blew a loud breath when he felt it whoosh above them. “That was close.”

“Nothing like being decapitated mid-fuck,” Brian muttered into Justin's neck.

Justin squirmed. “Tell me you’ll finish.”

“Stop the fucking swing, before I can get up. Besides, did I ever leave you unsatisfied?”

“My bad,” Justin chuckled, but caught the swing making it come to a stop.

Brian pulled Justin up and pressed him to the side of the house, his legs around his waist, as he dove back inside him.

Justin flung an arm around, knocking over a flower pot, slapping his other hand to his mouth, attempting to keep his moans as quiet as possible.

Right after they found release, the back door opened. Thankfully, they were behind it.

Justin stared at his son through the screen door, as he inspected the piles of clothes and the abandoned bottle of whiskey.

“D-d-da-ddy? B-b-br-ian?”

“Shit,” Justin cursed softly.

Brian pulled out, wincing and taking a step back. The porch floor creaked, and Nick screamed, turning to look at them through the net door.

“What’s up?” Brian asked casually, cupping his groin area as he went to retrieve his briefs from the pile of clothes.

“I thought you disappeared!” Nick cried, pointing to the clothes. “I heard a loud bang and Daddy groaning.” He made to check on his dad at that point.

Justin wasn’t sure what to cover first, his dick or his ass which started leaking Brian's cum. He wasn’t sure if dying of mortification was a thing, but he might be the first person on Earth to experience it.

“Nothing to worry about,” Brian continued in the same casual voice. He brought Justin his boxers, meeting his eyes, before going to pick Nick. “Let go back to bed.”

“I want Daddy.”

It was the first time when Nick didn’t seem to want to be around Brian. It was odd, and definitely not what Justin wanted at the moment.

“Go with Brian. I’ll join you in a minute. I…uh…need to pee,” he lied.

Nick spun on his heel and headed back inside.

“Go with him,” Justin urged Brian. “I’ll be right there.”

After cleaning as fast as possible in their bathroom, Justin went to Nick’s room. He was surprised Brian wasn’t there. Was Nick so upset with Brian that he had kicked him out?

“Did you have a nightmare?” Justin asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

“No. I heard a loud bang and then I hear you groaning. Were you fighting with Brian?”

“Stop already. We both told you, we weren’t fighting. Sometimes adults talk in loud voices when they have disagreements. Like when you get your tantrums…but it’s both adults getting tantrums at the same time. We talked about what caused us to yell at each other, and everything is fine,” Justin promised.

“Oh.” Nick tucked his chin in his chest. “Can you tell Brian I’m sorry for telling him to leave and stop hurting you?”

“Good God, Nick.” Justin couldn’t believe how affected his son was about his fights with Brian. They had to be careful not to scream at each other around him again. Because not having arguments with Brian would make life dull, Justin decided, amused. Until Nick understood that not all arguments ended in disasters, they had to be careful.

“I will do it, but you will do it too in the morning,” Justin said softly.

Nick nodded seriously. “Can you stay with me until I fall asleep?”

Justin knew he wasn’t going back to his own bed when he got comfortable next to Nick. He was asleep as soon as his eyes closed, with Nick safely tucked into his side. He had missed sleeping with his son.

 

 

 

Chapter 41 by addict_writer

 

 

On Friday morning, Justin took Nick to Daphne’s for her to keep him until late Saturday, or early Sunday. Nick was excited to spend time with Justin's best friend but he made sure to hug his dad extra hard and make him promise not to fight with Brian again.

“We are so talking about this,” Daphne demanded, as she walked Justin to the door.

“We will. Maybe we’ll grab coffee on Monday?”

“Make it lunch at the deli across the hospital and you have yourself a date,” she teased.

“It’s settled. Thank you again.”

“Don’t mention it. Be careful.”

“Can everyone stop worrying? I’ve never been more content and stress-free in my life, especially around Hobbs,” Justin said, exasperated. “I really have to go. I’m already late.” He checked his phone. “Be good for Daphne, Nick!” he called into the living room, earning a big huff from his son.

Justin bounded down the stairs of Daphne’s apartment building, and hurried to get in the Jeep. He had to meet Hobbs at the Starbucks near the Emerald View Park. He wasn’t that far from his destination, but with the morning rush hour, it would take him at least fifteen minutes. And he had set the location and day and hour through his sister. He should have asked her for her fiancé’s number.

It took Justin no less than twenty minutes to reach his destination and another five to find a parking spot.

He spotted Hobbs at an outside table, staring off at the river across the street.

Justin walked to him, taking a deep breath. Now that he was all alone with Hobbs, he could feel the ghost of his usual tingles of anxiety crawling under his skin, but he pushed away all unwanted thoughts and fears.

He decided to approach this conversation with an open mind, as if the past never happened.

“Hello,” he said, making Hobbs jump. “Traffic is insane at this time of morning,” Justin continued.

“Good morning. It’s okay. I didn’t mind waiting.”

“I’ll get something and be right back,” Justin said, waving toward the coffee house.

It didn’t take him long to have an ice coffee with extra ice cubes, before he returned to where Hobbs was once again staring at the river.

Justin placed his drink on the table, throwing himself in the chair across from Hobbs. He stared at his profile, until Hobbs turned to him slowly.

Justin lifted a hand to stop him from saying whatever he was about to say. “Let’s forget the past. I’ve already been accused I’m insane by everyone, so go ahead to say I’m insane, too.”

Hobbs actually smiled, and it reminded Justin why he had been infatuated with him until he met Brian. Then he forgot any other man existed.

“I was telling your sister how I wished to wipe off what I had done to you…everything…from the way I treated you to how I hurt you. But that part of my past will always be a heavy boulder I’ll have to carry for the rest of my life.”

Justin could hear real remorse and anguish in his voice. “Okay, we’re talking about that.”

“I guess it’s the best way to put it to rest. And I will understand if you decide I’m not suited for your sister,” he admitted.

Justin sipped from his drink, scowling. “Like I told Molly, I will never forbid her to marry you. It doesn’t matter we have…our differences…but I know what it’s like to not be accepted. I know the pain of having my family not accepting who I was dating. I never want Molly to feel that. And trust me, I plan on using these exact words tomorrow when we see Mom.”

Hobbs looked taken aback, before he nodded slowly. “As it’s different than your situation, you’re right. It’s similar.”

Justin took out his box of cigarettes, offering it to Hobbs, who accepted one. They lit their smokes and took a few pulls in silence.

“Look, I was all for starting anew on the way here. Though, like you said, we can’t wipe out the past,” Justin started. He waved the hand holding the cigarette. “We can’t ignore the fact that you fucked up my life, or the fact that I thought we’d be even when I came after you with a gun.”

Hobbs squirmed, gulping thickly. “Right…that was crazy.”

Justin held his eyes. “I’m sorry.”

Hobbs stared at him incredulously. “I should be the one saying that. But I feel like no words can ever express how I feel about my eighteen-year-old-self did.”

“Not quite eighteen,” Justin quipped, sipping from his coffee. “You’d be in prison if you weren’t a minor when you did it.”

“Right.”

Justin flicked ash on the small tray on their table. “Now that I’m older and I had been through so much shit in my life…I’m curious what the fuck could have caused a kid to want to kill another kid.” He could hear his voice shaking slightly, but it wasn’t in fear, it was in pain at what sort of upbringing Hobbs had to make him act like that.

Hobbs finished his smoke in several puffs, stubbing out the butt and grimacing. “Like everyone in that school, I came from a wealthy family. I heard what had happened to you during your last year, how your dad had kicked you out of the house, because you were a homosexual.”

“Fucking asshole. Yeah, I figured…influenced by your family’s beliefs,” Justin commented.

“And…after that detention…” Hobbs caught his eyes, lifting a brow. Justin bit on his cheek, trying not to laugh at how Hobbs was suddenly blushing. “I was terrified of what that said about me.”

Justin rolled his eyes. “Jesus. It was just a hand job,” he groaned.

Hobbs looked around anxiously, making Justin laugh. “You were also brazen and you weren’t afraid to tell anyone who you were.”

Justin lost his amusement. “What does this mean?” He frowned, lighting himself another cigarette. “I mean…you’re engaged to my sister.”

“You made me question everything that afternoon in the detention. It also didn’t help I wasn’t really that much into Tina, my girlfriend at the time. You have no idea how many nights I tossed and turned, wondering if I was a fag because I enjoyed the hand job or…it’s not funny,” he hissed, when Justin doubled over in laughter.

Justin would have never guessed he could sit across from the man who had attempted to kill him, and laugh over their past.

“Then my friends decided to adventure to Liberty Avenue…” Hobbs continued. “And something snapped inside of me. I don’t know why you got under my skin so badly. It turned into more than bullying you in school, when you told everyone about our time in detention. My friends made fun of me for weeks, even my girlfriend was disgusted with me for a while. I hated the mere sight of you.”

“Yeah…not my brightest moment to tell your friends and the whole street how you enjoyed the hand job I gave you,” Justin admitted, smoking slowly. “Brian told me I had made myself a real enemy the moment you turned and left. I brushed him off, feeling all important for having outed you like that.”

“And then your boyfriend crashed our Prom.”

Justin held his breath, because a vivid image of his freshly recovered memories came at the forefront of his mind. Hobbs with wild eyes staring at Brian making his way to Justin.

Justin inhaled from his smoke, ignoring how his hand was shaking. He hadn’t expected for him and Hobbs to speak about what had happened, but it was the best therapy. He focused on Hobbs, drinking from his coffee, eyes squeezed.

“If you ask me why I did it…I couldn’t tell you. All I remember, was thinking that you didn’t deserve to be happy. When I picked the baseball bat, I wanted to beat the shit out of you and your boyfriend, but by the time I caught you in the garage, you were alone.”

“Brian had just gotten in the car,” Justin said in a cracking voice. He cleared his throat.

“Yeah, he came after me, after…you know…he broke my knees.”

Justin stared at him, unsure if Hobbs expected compassion or any other sort of reaction from him.

“The head injury affects the motor skills in my right hand. I can’t overuse it which slows my painting time,” Justin shared in an even voice. “It got worse over the years.”

Hobbs covered his face with his hands. “Nothing can be done?”

“No,” Justin said curtly.

Hobbs met Justin's eyes, and Justin was surprised to see he was crying. “And you still accept me to become part of your family?”

“I can see you love Molly, and she loves you. We covered the fact I would never hurt her the way my family had hurt me.”

They finished another cigarette and their coffees in silence.

“What about Brian?” Hobbs asked, suddenly.

“He thinks I’m insane. It might take a while for Brian and Mom to accept you.”

“Since we’re talking about crazy, for me, all that matters is that you are understanding. Even though, I don’t deserve your kindness.”

“You’ve been through shit because of your family. I’m been through shit because of my family…and you didn’t make my life easier, but I want to believe we’re all grown-ups and we can see the present and future. People change all the time.”

“I’m definitely nothing like I was back in high school. Hell, nothing like when you came after me that night…” he added. “That was my waking point, that night. I literally crawled inside the house and thought about everything I had done to you. It might not sound very manly, but I cried the whole night wishing one day I could apologize to you.”

“I don’t need your apology, and I hope you know I will never forgive you for what you did to me. It might have been a different version of you, but it was you, Chris Hobbs, who did it.”

He nodded seriously. “I had several rocky years after I quit working for my dad at his construction company. It took me a while to open my own company, which is slowly threatening to become bigger than his.”

“Good for you. This is the best way to show asshole parents that their kids are better off without them.”

“Don’t get me wrong, I still talk to my parents, but we view things differently. Ever since I started earning enough, I decided to donate to the Grassi House. You know the place?”

Justin snorted. “Obviously. It was named after someone I knew.”

“Oh. Of course, you know it. I’m also in talks with the owners to renovate the place.”

Justin choked on his last gulp of coffee. He coughed loudly, thumping his chest as tears sprung into his eyes. “I’m fine,” he croaked. “Did you talk to Tannis?”

“Yes, and Phillip…I think his name is.”

“Was she on drugs when she accepted to renovate the place?” Justin asked, shocked. “It took a lot of dough for Brian to convince her to change the name of the center.”

“She sought me out.”

“Is the world still spinning?” Justin asked, laughing. “She’s, like, the most communist person I have ever met. Did you get to actually work with her?”

“No, we met for the first time last week. How bad can it be?” Hobbs wondered.

“I’ll let you discover.” Justin's phone started ringing on the table, and he was amused at Brian checking in on him when he saw the Caller ID. “Hey,” he answered, shaking another cigarette from the box.

“I need the car,” Brian said in a hurry.

“Everyone okay?” Justin was on the edge of the seat, ready to get up.

“I have to be on the other side of town in one hour.”

“I’ll come over in fifteen minutes tops. I’m actually not that far away from Kinnetik.”

Brian hung up, but Justin heard him shouting at someone about mock-ups being ready.

“Uh, I have to go. Brian needs the car.” Justin got up.

“It was good finally having a civilized chat, Justin.”

“I agree. Uh, see you tomorrow.” He rushed toward the Jeep, and all the way to Kinnetik, he ran over his conversation with Hobbs in his head. He also realized he should start calling him Chris, but that might take some time for Justin.

Brian checked if Justin was alright when they met outside Kinnetik, before he got behind the wheel, and drove away, in a hurry to get to his meeting.

Without a vehicle, and no other plans, Justin went to Debbie’s after a stop at the diner to get lemon squares.

Debbie had officially stepped back from the diner after her health scare. It had taken her to forget to renew her heart pills and break her wrist in front of Nick, for her to grasp how the diner could survive without her…unlike her family.

 

 

Chapter 42 by addict_writer

 

 

Brunch at Jennifer’s turned out like Brian had expected – a big mess.

Brian had promised Justin to keep an open mind, and as much as he had to agree with him that Molly and Hobbs loved each other, all Brian wanted was to punch the asshole. He couldn’t understand how Justin had found it in him to accept the situation and ignore the fact that the man who had attempted to kill him was dating his sister. Moreover, that person was going to become part of the family because his sister was pregnant.

Jennifer had taken Molly aside from the moment she arrived, but everyone could hear the screamed words through the closed kitchen door.

Brian had to hold Justin back, telling him not to interfere.

Molly had come out in tears, and flung herself at Hobbs, sobbing into his chest. Jennifer followed not a moment later, fuming. She threw Molly a disgusted look, before storming up the stairs.

Tucker had gone after her, which left the four of them in the entry hallway.

Justin was trying to get out of Brian's arms, muttering about going to talk sense into his mother, while Molly was telling Hobbs they should leave. Brian attempted to calm both siblings, since the asshole didn’t seem to have a backbone and tell Molly they should stay and confront her mother, show her why he might be worthy of her.

Amidst the chaos, Jennifer returned and stopped in front of Hobbs. Molly whirled around, shoving a finger into her mother’s face, daring her to touch her fiancé. Despite the warning, Jennifer slapped Hobbs across the cheek, which amused Brian, and it made Tucker gasp in shock.

“MOM!” Molly thundered.

“That’s for having a nerve to get involved with Justin's sister.”

“We didn’t know,” Molly groaned.

“I apologize, Mrs. Taylor,” Hobbs finally found his voice. “When all of Molly stories revolved around her big brother Justin who was a painter, I had a feeling she might be talking about Justin Taylor. But Taylor is a common name. I still told her in too few details what I did in high school…without giving her any names.”

“And you stuck around after hearing this monster almost killed a fellow student?” Jennifer asked incredulously.

Brian had to admit, he had the same curiosity.

“People change, Mom. And you have no idea what a mess Chris was when he talked about his past.”

“I can’t believe you,” Jennifer shouted.

“Can everyone stop screaming?” Justin yelled. “The only one who has any sort of right to be upset here is me. And I decided to be the bigger man and not hurt Molly like you and Dad hurt me when I started seeing Brian. If Hobbs makes her happy, if they want to have a family together…who the fuck are you to say no?” He took a step closer to Jennifer. “And don’t say you are her mother. You kept Molly in the dark about everything regarding me. You never told her about why I wasn’t home suddenly, or why I was in the hospital for three months, or why I was fighting with you constantly…you never told her I am gay. She had to find out from me, and I still remember how shocked she was…and how angry you were that I told her. And don’t get me started on how you forbade her to contact me while I was in New York.”

“Are you done?” Jennifer narrowed her eyes at her son.

“Yes.” Justin grabbed Brian's hand. “We’re leaving. I’m sorry, Molly. I tired,” he added, looking at both his sister and Hobbs, who stood frozen by the front door.

“Whoa, we’re not leaving,” Brian said, pulling Justin back. “I was all for being on your side, Jen. But Justin is right. Not only about how you kept his sister in the dark…for her own good, right?” he sneered. “Whatever. That was your best decision at the time since she was a child. But now, right here, in this moment, I’m starting to agree with Justin. He’s the only one entitled to make or break Molly’s relationship with Hobbs. Looks like he’s their biggest fan for some crazy reason.”

Molly threw her arms around Justin, crying into his shoulder. Justin patted her back, keeping his eyes narrowed on their mother.

He was relieved to have Brian on his side, when it felt like he wasn’t going to accept the fact that Justin didn’t care if Molly was dating the person who had tried to kill him in high school. Hobbs had proved over the past few days how much he had changed, and how he regretted what he had done.

It meant shit for Justin, but he appreciated how he tried to redeem himself in Justin's eyes.

“You accept this?” Jennifer gestured to where Hobbs had timidly joined Justin in comforting Molly. “Brian, I thought you had more sense.”

“It doesn’t matter what I feel about this. All that matters is that Justin accepts the situation. I don’t see him shouting or throwing punches.” Brian shrugged.

Tucker went closer to Jennifer, touching her arm. “I didn’t want to get involved, since I only know bits and pieces about what happened, but I agree with Brian. If you forbid Molly to see Chris, you might lose her.”

Justin cleared his throat. “You’ll lose both of us, because I’ll stand with whatever decision Molly makes.”

After several quiet minutes, Jennifer sighed loudly. “I’m going to keep an open mind, but don’t expect miracles. And you all better keep your opinions to yourselves. You have no idea how I felt when I heard what happened to Justin, and I’m the only one who knows how hard it was to deal with the aftermath.”

Brian was quick to pull Justin in his arms, shushing him. “She’s going to warm up to this. Give her time,” he whispered into Justin's ear. “And trust me, you don’t know a thing about how a parent feels about their child laying in a hospital bed. I had to experience that with Gus when he was a few months old, and then some years ago when he broke his leg in soccer.”

Justin's shoulders slumped. “I guess I’m seeing it from my perspective only again…like with the whole Nick missing his pappy…”

“Exactly. She needs to come to terms with this on her own.”

Justin nodded seriously, kissing Brian softly. “Thank you for being the rational one.”

“If you’d kindly move out of the doorway so we could go to the sitting room for brunch,” Jennifer said curtly.

Justin rolled his eyes, but pulled Brian after him into the sitting room.

They sat around the table, and talked about anything except the big elephant in the room.

Jennifer started a conversation with Brian about his latest advertisement, Justin replied to one of Daphne’s text messages about what his son ate because he refused everything she had offered him, while Tucker was kind enough to strike a conversation with Hobbs about his job.

“What are you doing,” Molly hissed, elbowing Justin in the ribs.

It made Justin startle and nearly drop the phone, grabbing his side. “Ow! Watch out.”

“I barely touched you,” she protested.

“I have a bruise,” he mumbled, rubbing the spot. “A little accident the other night.”

Brian stared at him in amusement, yet there was concern in his eyes. He had no idea Justin ended up with bruises after their tumble from the rocker mid-fuck. But he had an ugly, purple bruise on his knee, so it shouldn’t be a surprise.

“What accident?” Jennifer asked curiously. “Did you sleep with Nick and got kicked?”

“As a matter of fact yes, but I got the bruise somewhere else,” he answered diplomatically. When Jennifer eyed her son expectantly, Brian wished he hadn’t taken the seat across the table, so he could stop Justin. “If you’re so curious, I got it during fucking Brian.”

Brian gave Jennifer a tight smile, knowing how much she appreciated etiquette.

Tucker choked on his gulp of water, staring in shock at Justin.

Jennifer stared in disbelief at her son.

“What, Mom? You asked,” he said, amused.

“Who’s Nick?” Molly asked quietly.

“You never told Molly,” Justin said slowly. He took a deep breath, turning to tell his sister about his son.

“Don’t look at me like that, Jen,” Brian protested when she turned her eyes on him. “I’m not sure what you expected to get out of this glass ball you pretended to keep Molly in. Look how it all shattered.” He waved around the table.

“So I can come to you with questions,” Molly said loudly in a moment of silence across the table.

“I still have no clue what I’m doing half of the time, Molly. You figure out along the way,” Justin assured her.

“Oh, Molly. When you decide on having a child, I will help,” Jennifer said softly.

“Really?” Molly asked skeptically.

“Of course, honey.”

“You better get ready because…I’m pregnant.”

“What? When were you going to tell me?”

“You mean, you wouldn’t have screamed at me and called me a heartless person for hurting Justin by dating the guy who attempted to kill him? Chris is completely changed! Justin saw it. They met yesterday. And yes…we’re engaged, and we just found out last week that I’m pregnant.”

“God, Molly,” Jennifer said faintly.

“For fuck’s sake.” Justin got up, putting his phone to his ear. “I told you to give him the bag of cereal, not milk with cereal,” he muttered, leaving the room.

Brian figured Daphne was having trouble with feeding Nick.

.

.

.

By the time they left, Jennifer had changed tactics. She completely ignored Hobbs, but started talking about what sort of wedding Molly wanted and about a baby shower.

Justin promised Molly he will have Emmett call her if she wanted, which she accepted after hearing about what a successful party-planner their friend was.

On the way to pick Nick from Daphne’s, who didn’t seem capable to deal with the little boy, Justin complained what an uptight bitch his mom had been.

“You have to calm down. You know how Nick picks on your mood,” Brian warned him when they parked in front of Daphne’s building.

“I’m trying.”

“It will take a while for her to accept who your sister is going to marry…if she ever will. I’m not thrilled about it, either, but I’m not family.”

“No, you’re only my partner,” Justin sneered. “You’re the one who had to pick up the pieces and put me back together after Hobbs broke me. In all honesty, you are the only one allowed to hate him.” Justin leaned over the console, cupping Brian's cheek. “I’m sorry you had to be there, but I needed you there or I would have gone for the jugular at the way Mom acted.”

“Don’t mention it,” Brian said quietly. “Come on. Let’s get Nick and go home.”

 

 

 

Chapter 43 by addict_writer

 

 

“I don’t understand why I can’t come with you,” Nick cried out. “I miss New York.”

“We will bring you another time. Besides, you’re sick,” Justin reasoned with his son. “Maybe you’ll start listening to me about keeping your jacket zipped up and the hat on your head.”

“This is the second time to go back without me.”

“The last time I had to take care of some things left unfinished.”

Justin had completely forgot he had to rush to New York for a few days in September to get some documents from Nick’s old school and to finally have a talk with Ethan’s former agent about Justin's legal rights for getting all the revenue coming from the albums still being sold.

Now they were middle of December, and Justin was taking Gus for the promised concert with David Garrett. He wouldn’t be able to stay more than one day, because of school.

Brian had agreed to join them, which meant Nick was going to stay with Justin's mom from Thursday through Sunday. In all reality, Justin knew they were going to pick Nick at some point on Monday, because they were going to return late at night on Sunday.

“You promised to take me to New York,” Nick sobbed.

“Next time,” Justin insisted. He continued to pack a small bag for Nick.

“I want to go with you tomorrow!”

“Be reasonable. You’re sick, and we’ll be busy with Gus. Next time we go, I promise to take you,” Justin said calmly, folding a green sweater.

Nick kicked the bag making all the clothes fall out, before he stomped out of the room.

“Nicolas! What sort of behavior is this?” Justin hurried after him. “It’s not too late to tell Santa what a naughty boy you are and cancel his visit to you.”

“You’re the worst!”

That was how Brian found them when he arrived home not long later.

“Brian!” Nick rushed to him, greeting him at the top of the stairs. “Daddy is being an asshole.”

“Nicolas, for fuck’s sake,” Justin shouted.

Brian chuckled, picking Nick up. “That’s not very nice, buddy. What upset you?”

“Take me to New York with you.”

“I’m not sure what you think we are going to do there, but we won’t have time to visit all the places I’m sure you want to see. The concert we are taking Gus to, is Friday evening, and during the day I have a meeting of my own, work related.”

Nick pouted. “And for the weekend?”

Brian walked Nick to his room, past a stunned Justin. “The Hush-Hush project is in motion,” Brian whispered to Nick.

“Oh, okay.” Nick beamed at Brian.

Justin followed them. “I don’t know how you do it, but you just averted a huge tantrum,” he said, as he bent to pick up the clothes and stuff them back in the bag.

“Brian explained why I can’t come with you. Now I understand.”

“And I haven’t been telling you why you can’t come with us for the past few hours?” Justin pulled Nick from Brian's arms. “Let’s blow that little nose and calm down, okay?”

Nick sniffed, wrapping his arms around Justin’s neck. “I’m sorry, Daddy. You’re not an asshole.”

“You better watch out what you say around Nana Jen,” Justin warned him.

Brian laughed, working the knot of his tie. “Are we taking him over to your mom’s tonight?”

“I can do it alone if you’re tired.” Justin placed Nick on the bed, continuing to make his bag.

“I’ll appreciate it. I’m going to finish our packing.”

“I made meatballs with mashed potatoes, if you’re hungry. Maybe you’ll appreciate it more than this rascal,” Justin joked. “I might have put more garlic powder than usual, but they’re edible.”

“I see.”

“Tell Brian you used the yucky meat,” Nick grumbled.

Brian lifted a brow at Justin, to which Justin laughed. “I used turkey instead of chicken. As you have noticed during Thanksgiving, Nick hates turkey.”

“Weirdo,” Brian said to Nick, who poked his tongue out.

It was close to seven in the evening when Justin had Nick in the car, driving to his mother’s house.

“You better not upset nana,” Justin said seriously.

“I promise to be on my best behavior.”

“Yeah, right. I’ve heard that before. If you don’t like the food she offers you, be nice about it. And tell her exactly what you want to eat.”

“Okay, Daddy.”

Justin could only hope that his mother wouldn’t call every hour to complain about how spoiled Nick was. He was such a picky eater, and the only person who had succeeded so far to convince to try anything else was Debbie.

Unfortunately, Debbie and Carl weren’t available that weekend. They were headed to Canada with Michael and Ben to visit the girls.

“Because you were extra mean to me earlier, I know how I will forgive you,” Nick said after a while.

“Oh, really? I was mean to you?” Justin snorted. “You were the one being unreasonable.”

“I’ve decided the D-Thing is in motion.”

“Not the D-Thing, Nick,” Justin groaned. There was no escaping this time around. He had dodged this subject for years, and Justin's only hope was Brian saying no. “Maybe you should ask Brian if he would like this…”

“He will,” Nick insisted. “If you don’t want to get me a puppy, I will ask Santa.”

“Be my guest,” Justin said, amused.

It was close to eight when Justin knocked on his mother’s door. Tucker answered with his hair wet from a shower.

“Hey, Justin. Come in.”

Justin tried not to feel sick because it was obvious Tucker had shared a shower with his mother. He could smell his mother’s fruity shampoo on Tucker. “Hey,” he greeted, pushing Nick inside the house, dumping the duffle bag by the door.

“Jen is drying her hair,” Tucker explained. He bent to Nick. “Are you excited for the sleepover?”

Nick nodded excitedly, but Justin could tell he hadn’t completely warmed up to Tucker. He accepted his mother, but the only other person besides Brian who he liked, was Debbie.

Nick tapped Justin's leg, smiling widely. Justin stared at him warily, because that smile meant trouble.

“I promise to not upset Nana and Tuck, and to eat everything.”

“Go on…” Justin prompted him, dread filling his bones.

“If I get the D-Thing when you return,” Nick proclaimed loudly.

“You little shit.”

“Justin,” his mother gasped from the stairs.

“Dare I ask what the D-Thing is?” Tucker asked quietly.

“No,” Justin spat at him. Then he turned to his son. “And…NO. Your logic is terrible. This is called blackmail.”

“You said I’d get the D-Thing when I’m older,” Nick whined.

Justin threw his arms in the air. “Never is too soon. Let me talk to Brian about this, because I know for a fact he doesn’t like pets.”

“He will,” Nick said so seriously, it made Justin laugh.

“We’ll continue this conversation when we pick you up. In the meantime, remember your promise.” Justin went closer to his mother who joined them in the entry hallway. He handed her a paper with his notes. “You have here everything he likes to eat. Also, he’s on antibiotics every twelve hours. His next pill should be around eleven.”

“I had Nick over before. I know what to do,” Jennifer assured him.

“Okay, okay. And don’t get involved in the D-Thing. It’s dog, in case you were wondering,” Justin whispered.

She rolled her eyes. “Here I thought he wanted dick.”

“Mom,” Justin groaned, but laughed along with her. “Okay. I’m going. Call us in case you need anything.”

“Stop worrying. Go, and have fun!” She more or less pushed him out the door.

Nick waved at him from Tucker’s arms, blowing him a kiss.

.

.

.

Justin found Brian in the kitchen, freshly showered and with a glass of whiskey in hand. He went to Brian's side, wrapping his arms around him and kissing him deeply.

“Alone,” Justin said against Brian's lips.

“What sort of trouble could we get in?”

“There’s no one around to chide you for dropping your pants,” Justin joked.

“Funny thing is I’m not wearing pants…or anything else under this bathrobe.”

Justin moaned, fighting the cotton tie to open Brian's bathrobe. He went for his dick, stroking it slowly. “I’m so fucking horny. I barely saw you this past week.”

“I had shit to deal with at work. The end of the year is always brutal.” Brian combed his fingers through Justin's hair. “You look tired, too.”

“Between Nick and painting, I helped Molly and Hobbs talk sense into Tannis about renovating the center. I don’t know what sort of business graduate Molly is, but she’s terrible at having a conversation with her client.”

“Shit. I forgot about that. Whatever they do to the center, make sure I’m not involved.”

Justin ran his hands up and down Brian's chest, chuckling. “Tannis kept hinting at me talking to you about collaborating with her about future events held at the center.”

“Over my dead body. Can we stop talking about Tannis? It makes my dick soft.”

“We don’t want that,” Justin said seriously, kneeling in front of Brian and pressing open-mouthed kisses along his erection. He inhaled Brian's scent, before he took him in his mouth.

It had been about a week since they had last found time for each other with their busy schedules. It was their longest time without fucking each other since their make-up.

It felt like their olden days when nothing could interrupt them, they had all night to fuck.

Justin took his time coating Brian's dick in saliva, sucking slowly, teasingly. Brian gripped at Justin's hair, moaning loudly, encouraging him to go deeper. Justin licked down to Brian's balls, taking them in his mouth. He was happy not to hear Brian protesting and feel him shifting uneasily as he used to when Justin went near his balls.

It wasn’t difficult for Justin to know which one was real, especially when Brian moaned like a whore when Justin sucked at the real one, unlike he had done a moment ago when Justin had done the same to the other one.

“Close,” Brian gasped, joining Justin's hands on his slick dick. “So close.”

“I want you to come inside me,” Justin said, taking his clothes off as fast as possible.

He bent over the counter, and Brian pushed two fingers coated in lube inside him. Justin held on the edge of the counter as if his life depended on it, especially when Brian lifted one of his legs before diving inside.

“Fuck,” Justin shouted. It was an angle he couldn’t remember experiencing with Brian, he could feel Brian's dick so deep.

Brian pressed his chest against Justin's back, thrusting hard and fast, panting loudly against his neck.

“I don’t…understand…how you…get…tighter,” Brian said between thrusts.

“It’s a…gift,” Justin rasped, tugging at his erection. “So full…in this position.”

Brian dug his fingers into Justin's hips, slamming into his ass several more times, before stilling as he found release. Justin felt his toes curling as he arched into Brian's embrace, coating the cabinet door in his cum.

Brian came to Justin's aid with a dishtowel.

“I think it’s time for another shower,” Brian decided, after patting Justin's ass.

“It’s not my fault you come like a horse,” Justin laughed. “But I won’t trade this for anything in the world.”

Brian took his hand, leading him to their bathroom. “Since we started fucking raw, I feel like I rediscovered sex.”

Justin smiled, leaning to kiss Brian, as Brian pulled him into the shower cabin under the spray of water. Thankfully, it was lukewarm, but Brian managed to make him feel all hot.

“What’s the point in getting cleaned up?” Justin asked amused, when Brian pushed him against the cold tile.

“So your ass doesn’t get crusted in my cum.”

“You paint a beautiful image.”

“It would be a tragedy if my own cum stopped me from getting into your ass.”

Justin laughed loudly, because Brian's logic was amusing as hell.

 

“So let me clean you up and prep you for round two.”

Chapter 44 by addict_writer

 

 

New York City would always be full of memories for Justin – some of the best and worst he ever got, but the city’s charm was not likely to ever die.

On Thursday evening, Justin took Brian to one of his favorite small restaurants, before they returned to their hotel room.

Gus was going to join them early on Friday morning, and they planned to take him on a tour of the city before the concert. Sadly, Gus would have the catch the first plane on Saturday morning because he had his own recital with his music group from school.

Despite knowing of Gus’s early arrival, they stayed up pretty late. Justin felt as if he was reliving his best days with Brian, now that they were away from Nick, enjoying every moment alone.

On Friday morning, it took Brian a while to get Justin to wake up.

“Come on, Sunshine. Gus has landed and is on his way here.” Brian slapped his ass playfully.

Justin snuggled better with the pillow. “More sleep,” he mumbled.

“No time for that,” Brian insisted, pulling him out of the warm blanket. “Go, shower.”

Justin struggled to get out of Brian's grip and return to bed, but eventually caved, and shuffled to the bathroom. He was never going to be a morning person, and he was grateful for the path he had chosen in life. Being a painter allowed him to make his own hours, which meant he could sleep in.

Of course, having a child had put a damper on his sleeping schedule, but since his return to Pittsburgh, Brian was the one to take Nick to school on his way to work.

Since Brian had kept his beloved midlife crisis car, like Justin loved to call the Corvette, Justin had a way to get in town if he needed. He often left the ‘vette in front of Kinnetik, and took the Jeep to go and collect his son from school. But most days, Brian was the one who drove Nick to and back from school.

Justin was somewhat more alert after his shower and brushing his teeth. He found Brian on the phone by the large window. Brian was confirming some sort of reservation for six o’clock.

Justin waited until Brian wrapped up his conversation, getting dressed for the day.

“I hate to be the bad guy, but the concert starts at six,” Justin said once Brian placed his phone on the dresser.

“I know.”

“Oh, I just…sorry, I heard you said something about reservations for six.”

Brian laughed, somewhat nervously, which was unusual. “That’s for tomorrow. However, I’ll have to abandon you and Gus around three today. My meeting with the pet adoption center is at four.”

“Fuck. Please, don’t mention your new account to Nick.” Justin had managed to forget about Brian's meeting. “You distracted me the other night when I returned home, but let’s leave it at…Nick decided to blackmail me about being a good boy to his nana if the D-Thing was going to happen.”

Brian laughed, going to ruffle Justin's hair. “Anyone told you lately, you’re a twat?”

Justin shoved him playfully. “This is serious stuff. You hate pets.”

“I plan on helping promote an adoption center for pets. I’m not a fan of pets trapped inside the house all day…and of course, there’s the hair on clothes issue.”

Justin beamed. “I told Nick you didn’t like the idea of a dog. I’m sure you can convince him now…or ever…is not a good time to get one.”

“I’ll see what I can do. I thought you wanted a dog, though.”

“That’s different. Besides, now I understand why my parents were against the idea so much when I whined about getting one when I was around Nick’s age. I know I’m the one who will walk the dog, take him to the vet, clean his paws…yada, yada…”

“I hope you don’t expect a six-years-old to walk a dog. Come on, Justin. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but if it’s something he really wants, you can at least consider it.” Brian rubbed his back slowly. “I’ll try to be understand about hair on clothes. There’s this great invention – lint rollers.”

“Let’s continue this conversation later.” Justin patted Brian's chest, when Brian's phone rang from the dresser, letting them know Gus had arrived.

They met Gus in the lobby, and hugged him tightly. He had a scarf loosely wrapped around his neck and his jacket was unzipped, there was a backpack on his shoulders.

“So, there’s a change of plans. Mom found me a flight back tonight at eleven-forty. I have rehearsal at nine tomorrow,” Gus told them, pouting.

“Shit, kid. That sucks.” Brian wrapped an arm around his son’s shoulders. “I’ll take you to the airport after the concert.”

“Don’t worry. I can take a cab, like I just did. But I’ll probably have to leave right after the concert to make it to the airport in time,” Gus said, amused. “I heard stories about how bad New York traffic was, but I had no idea how real it was until now.”

“It’s terrible,” Justin agreed. “Trust me, if you want to get somewhere fast, you’re better off walking. Not to the airport, of course,” he added hastily. “Since we don’t have much time together, let’s head out and show you around.”

“I’m hungry and I won’t mind a warm drink,” Gus said, zipping up his jacket as they stepped out in the cold December air.

“Say no more. I know a place.” Justin guided them to a good bagel store.

“I have a feeling we’re going to hear a lot of this ‘I know a place’ throughout the day,” Brian teased, wrapping his fingers around Justin's.

Justin was surprised Brian wanted to hold hands, but he relished in the closeness, leaning into his side. “You know it,” he teased back, stealing a kiss. “I’ve lived here for close to nine years, Brian. I’d like to say I know some spots in the city.”

“Any good clubs?”

“I think Gus is too young for that scene,” Justin said, amused. “And not really. There was a good one close to my old studio. I think we went there once or twice when you visited. They closed it.”

“They always close the best places,” Gus agreed. “I used to hang out with my friends at this cool place where they had food and drinks, and there were books and music instruments too. It was the best store.”

“I remember you mentioned it a couple of times,” Brian commented.

“Yeah, it closed over summer. I had just gone there with Eric before our trip in July. When I returned and wanted to go over there, Eric told me they closed it off.” Gus shrugged. “And there was nothing sketchy about this place. I mean…compared to this club Justin is talking about, why would they close a store where people could do so many things. It was always packed. Lucky, we had befriended the staff and they always found us a spot…”

“Hey, this club was not the worst out there,” Justin defended the place he used to go to during his first years in the city. “I’m sure we can find a club if you want to go dancing,” he told Brian.

After stopping for food and coffee, they continued walking around. Justin soon learned Brian had no concept of window-shopping, and they ended up entering many expensive stores. The only thing stopping Brian from buying everything was that they had plans and there was no time to return to the hotel to drop their purchases.

They had lunch at a restaurant Justin used to love to go, but Brian complained about everything. Gus was clearly amused by his dad’s reaction and how Justin defended the place, claiming it had some of the best food in town.

Brian made sure to point out he was going to school Justin into what quality food meant the following day when they had reservations at a top restaurant in Manhattan. He also caught Gus’s eyes, winking.

Gus grinned widely, knowing about his dad’s surprise for Justin.

Justin was none the wiser, as he kept yapping about what museum Gus wanted to visit. Gus and Justin ended up going to MoMA alone, because Brian had to run for his meeting if he wanted to get there on time.

Gus confessed to Justin how terrible he was at drawing, but he planned on taking classes next year to learn how to be at least decent. Though, his real passion would always be string instruments.

That triggered a long conversation about which string instrument Gus liked more, and if he saw himself making a career out of this. Now that Gus was learning to play the violin, he realized he liked the cello more. They talked about the best cello players on their walk to the Lincoln Center.

As they waited in the line to get inside and find their seats, Gus wrapped both arms around Justin's left elbow.

“Did I thank you for this? I’m sure the tickets were crazy expensive.”

“I’m actually friends with the organizer, and he managed to sell me the tickets at a special price. Yeah, they weren’t exactly cheap, but I know how important it is to be part of the community who inspires you. Trust me, it helped me a lot to have my drawings displayed and appreciated since I was a teenager. And my mom has always encouraged my love for art. We went to the museum every other week.”

“That’s cool. My moms take me to museums and small concerts too. We used to go to the theatre, but Jenny can’t stop talking and it’s annoying to everyone.”

“I understand you completely,” Justin nodded. “But it gets better.”

“When?” Gus groaned.

“After you move out. That’s about the time, Molly became more bearable.”

“Oh, man…I’m not sure what I want for college. Mom says if I choose Toronto, I shouldn’t move out of the house.”

“Do you know what you want?” Justin searched in his inner pocket for the tickets as they neared the doors.

“I’ve been thinking of Julliard, but it’s damn hard to get in there,” Gus mumbled. “Besides their strict rules about who gets in…the tuition is insane.”

Justin knew how expensive it was to attend the prestigious college, because one of Ethan’s friends was a graduate from Julliard and he always complained about how he was still paying his student loans from what he earned as a pianist.

“Justin!” A shocked voice called his name.

Justin looked around apprehensively, because he wasn’t ready to run into ghosts of his past. He spotted their old neighbor right behind the security man checking the tickets.

Once he and Gus were inside, Justin steered them Jesse. “Hey, Jesse,” Justin greeted him.

“Hi! I couldn’t believe it was you.”

“Yeah. How many times do I get to see such a talent in person?”

Jesse chuckled. “It’s probably the fifth time you’re seeing David.”

“Shut up. I’m actually here with a friend’s son.” Justin squeezed Gus close. He met Gus’s eyes, begging him not to comment on the way he was introduced.

“Oh, I see. Everything else…okay? How’s Nick?”

“He’s much better. It took a while for him to understand what happened. I’m still not convinced he understands, but he stopped asking about Ethan.”

“Damn, it sucks. Did you ever find out who did it?”

Justin shuffled on his feet, not comfortable with the conversation. He knew he would have to explain to Gus what was going on, and this was something both him and Brian had avoided telling him. Justin's past in New York was not a subject of conversation with Brian's son.

“Uh, no. The police promised to keep me updated, but I doubt they’ll ever find out.” Justin shrugged. “Look, it was good seeing you, Jesse. We better go find our seats.”

“Of course. Enjoy! Maybe we’ll catch up later,” Jesse said in a hopeful voice.

“I’m not staying for too long in the city,” Justin explained, already pulling Gus away from his old neighbor.

Gus was quiet until they were sitting down, when he turned to Justin. “Who was that?”

“Brian is going to kill me,” Justin mumbled. “Look…let’s leave it at, Jesse is my old neighbor from when I lived in New York.”

Gus pursed his lips, folding his hands on his lap.

Justin scratched at the back of his head. “You know how your dad and I broke up a few years ago…”

“I know,” he said pointedly.

“Well, I found someone else in the time we spent apart.”

“That guy?” Gus asked in disgust.

Jesse wasn’t a looker, but Justin was amused by Gus’s reaction. “No. The man I was with…we had met in college…and lost touch.”

“Small world, huh?”

“You can say that,” Justin agreed. “The short version of the story is…I married Ethan, we had Nick together…it wasn’t the best life, but I was happy, or so I fooled myself. Last year, on New Year’s Eve we were here…seen by the wrong group of people when we left one of Ethan’s shows. He used to play the violin,” Justin explained, his voice breaking. He had to clear his throat twice. “In mid-February someone killed him…ran him over with their car. That’s when I decided to return to Pittsburgh.”

“Oh, no! Oh, Justin. That’s terrible. I had no idea.” Gus had tears in his eyes.

“Don’t mention this to Brian. I’m sure he won’t be happy to hear I shared this with you.”

“Why?” Gus leaned closer to hug Justin. “Now, I’m even happier you made up with Dad.”

“I was an idiot to break things off with him, to begin with.”

They fell silent as the concert started, and Justin was pleased he had no reminiscent memories about watching Ethan play. He had feared such memories would overwhelm him, but he was able to enjoy the beautiful show without thinking of his late husband.

 

 

Chapter 45 by addict_writer

 

 

“This is insane, Brian,” Justin cried out when the cab parked in front of Le Bernardin.

“I promised to show you what a real restaurant was,” Brian said joyfully.

“How did you manage to make a reservation?” Justin narrowed his eyes at his man. “I know for a fact, they are fully booked months in advance.”

“When did you get the tickets for the concert? Late July? It was about then when I called. It was sheer luck to get a table for two, and only because they just had a cancellation on the call previous mine.”

“You’re unbelievable. I feel underdressed,” Justin complained.

“Shut up. You look gorgeous.” Brian pulled him close, kissing his brow. “Let’s go inside.”

The restaurant was one of the top ten most expensive ones in New York. Justin doubted he could afford more than a starter course, if he had to pay for himself.

The hostess was all smiles and overly friendly as she led them to a table behind a partition, giving them faux privacy. She left with the promise to send their waiter.

Justin pulled one of the chairs away from the beautifully decorated table. He gripped the back of his chair, staring across the table at Brian, who draped his coat over the back of his chair.

Their eyes met, and Brian smiled bashfully, making Justin want to jump him in the middle of the fancy restaurant.

Brian moved closer, reaching around Justin's shoulders to take his jacket off. “Let me help.”

“I still can’t believe this,” Justin admitted, taking his seat.

Instead of rounding the table to his own chair, Brian leaned over Justin's back, hugging him and kissing his neck. “I love you.” He caught the lobe of Justin's ear between his teeth.

Justin felt dizzy, but a delicate fragrance hit his nostrils, and before he could focus on what Brian had put on the table, he saw Brian moving to his side and kneeling.

“Shit,” Justin gasped, covering his mouth with his hands.

He wasn’t expecting anything like this from Brian. The man hated romance and clichés. Yet, he was proposing to Justin in the middle of a restaurant.

They were already turning heads, and Brian seemed to be nervous because he had to lean over and dig through his coat’s pocket for the rings. He focused on Justin when he had the box in his hand, his eyes holding all the love he had for his partner.

“Marry me, Justin.”

“Yes,” Justin choked out, throwing his arms around Brian's neck.

Brian cupped Justin's cheek with his free hand, kissing him deeply. They jumped apart when people around them started clapping.

Justin beamed at their audience, peppering kisses on Brian's face, whispering about how much he loved him.

Brian got up, placing the box in Justin's hand. “I added a little something to the rings.”

Justin's eyes widened. “The rings,” he repeated slowly, his stomach twisting. “You mean…the rings,” he emphasized the words.

“I kept them,” Brian said simply.

Tears pooled into Justin's eyes as he popped open the small, velvet box. They still looked the same as Justin remembered them – two gorgeous titanium rings.

“On the inside,” Brian explained.

Justin picked one out and squinted at the engraved infinity symbol made of two hearts interconnected.

“I love you so much.”

Brian stroked the back of his fingers over Justin's wet cheek. “I love you more. I want to be yours for the rest of our lives.”

“Don’t make me cry and look like a pathetic fag,” Justin protested through a sob caught in his throat.

Brian kissed the corner of his mouth. “Check out what I put on the table in front of you.”

Justin was afraid to look, but nothing could top Brian's surprise proposal. Justin had expected Brian to ask him again, but in a private environment, like the other times he had done it.

Justin choked on his spit when he noticed a yellow flower. He recognized it immediately, and bit on his lower lips so he wouldn’t start sobbing.

Brian rubbed his back, pressing his lips to Justin's temple. “There's a Chinese legend that once your lover breathes the offered golden gardenia that he'll love you forever.”

Justin snorted, turning to hug Brian. “You’re something else.”

When they pulled apart, they noticed their waiter hovering with a bucket of champagne and two menus. He hurried to their side, placing two flute glasses on the table, smiling as he pulled the bottle from the bucket with a flourish movement.

“On the house. Congratulations!”

Brian licked his lips, fighting amusement as Justin waved to their waiter to pop the cork and pour the contents in their glasses.

“I will return shortly for your order,” he promised, once he handed each of them a glass.

Brain raised his glass. “To a wonderful future!”

“To the most romantic man I know.”

“Already thinking of other men?” Brian teased, touching his glass to Justin's. “I know how to do romance. I chose not to…but then I found out how happy it made you when I said or did anything remotely romantic.”

“I hope you have no more surprises up your sleeve,” Justin said seriously, sipping from his champagne.

“Let me call off the white horses carriage.”

Justin pursed his lips. “You’re joking.”

“Obviously. Or, am I?”

“Brian…” Justin groaned, falling back in his chair.

Brian went to his seat, smiling brightly. “But speaking of horses…I’ve researched the best breeds to suit our life. I found someone from a farm in West Virginia who wants to donate a family of three – brother and sister, along with her foal. It’s not exactly a pony, but I’m sure Nick will love the foal.”

“It’s a good thing I’m sitting down,” Justin said faintly. He played with the golden gardenia, pondering this decision. “Do we really want horses?”

“You wanted a house with stables, not me. Why would you want stables if you don’t want horses?” Brian asked, amused.

“Why did you take liberties and got a house with a tennis court?” Justin retorted teasingly.

Brian rolled his eyes. “So…no to the horses? Just let me know what you decide, because I told this man to keep these three until I spoke to my partner. You know, this is not the sort of decision I could make on my own.”

Justin reached across the table to squeeze Brian's hand. “Yes,” he whispered. “Okay, let’s get horses.”

Brian flipped his hand around to intertwine his fingers with Justin's.

“And against my better judgement…I think I want the D more than Nick.”

“You love the D.”

“Brian,” Justin hissed, feeling his cheeks coloring. “Dog.”

“Doggy, yes.”

Justin tilted his head toward the ceiling, fighting amusement. “I’m marrying an immature child.”

Brian waved a hand around as if shooing a fly, but there were clearly no flies in this fancy restaurant. “I can hear this buzzing…Oh, wait, it’s the WASP in you.”

“Watch me become a WASP,” Justin dared him, pulling his hand away. He sat straighter in his chair and opened the menu.

Brian rolled his eyes, amused at how insulted Justin got in public if Brian didn’t act properly. It wasn’t the first time, and it never ceased to amuse him.

“What would you have?” Justin asked, after pouring over the menu for a minute.

“The lobster. You?”

Justin beamed. “I was thinking of that, too. But the oysters should be amazing, too.”

“Did you ever have oysters?” Brian asked in challenge.

“Once, but I was probably seven. My parents took me to this top class restaurant in Pittsburgh. That’s where they told me I was going to become a big brother.”

“How…WASPy,” Brian commented, shuddering.

“Of course, I don’t remember how they tasted, but I remember I liked them,” Justin continued talking about the oysters.

The waiter saved their debate, and even suggested they could get different dishes and that way they could sample both courses. He also explained that the oysters were the first course and the lobster was the second course.

Brian chose the caviar from himself for the first course, and Justin ended up going for the octopus as the second course. Justin allowed Brian to pick the wine, since he wasn’t properly informed in what worked best with their chosen food.

Justin asked the waiter to leave one of their menus so they could pick dessert later.

“You mentioned the dog subject, before I offended your sensibilities with my comment,” Brian said casually.

“Yes, Nick has been asking for one for ages, but he remembered about his desire around his birthday. Did he never mention this to you?”

“Not that I can recall,” Brian answered, shrugging. “Anyway, after my meeting with this pet adoption center, I might have changed my mind on pets.”

“Now you want it, too?” Justin laughed. “We didn’t get to talk last night, but I can’t say I didn’t have fun at that club we went.”

“Almost getting thrown out for indecent behavior is one way to call it fun. These people haven’t been to Babylon during its Sap era. I can still remember there were messages on every bathroom stall door saying the toilets weren’t for fucking and that’s what the couches were for.”

Justin grimaced at the mention of Sap. He entertained himself with popping open the ring box and snapping it shut. “I have to admit, Babylon was different back then.”

“Good or bad?”

Justin caught an edge in Brian's voice, and he met his eyes. “Just different.”

“Yeah, I get it,” Brian said eventually. “I’d like to think I made order in his chaos.”

“You definitely have,” Justin nodded emphatically.

They allowed their waiter to pour the white wine in their glasses, before retreating, promising to return promptly with the first course.

“I hope you don’t want anything this classy for our wedding,” Justin demanded.

“You get to choose anything you want. I’ll gladly have only you and our witnesses, then celebrate with Thai in front of an old movie. But our friends might never forgive us.”

Justin chuckled. “We can’t deny Emmett the pleasure to organize our reception. Thank you,” he said to the waiter, who had returned with their food.

The oysters looked mouthwatering.

“How much carbs in these biscuits?” Brian asked, staring at the biscuits accompanying his caviar.

“They’re grain-free.”

“Thanks.”

“When would you stop caring about carbs? You are in better shape than me,” Justin protested weakly.

“Because I watch out what I eat, and I go to the gym at least once per week.”

“You have a treadmill in the house.”

“It’s different at the gym.” Brian took a sip from his wine. “Tell you what. After we’re married, we can get their subscription for married couple.”

“I thought you hated discounts and coupons,” Justin teased.

“Don’t be a twat. This place is the best in town.”

“God, this is so good,” Justin moaned, tasting one of the oysters. “What’s so different about this gym?”

Brian reached over to steal an oyster. “It has the most modern equipment. Their trainers actually take the time to spend an entire session only with one person. They also have a sauna, which is actually three separate rooms, depending on the intensity of the steam you want. There is also a pool.”

“Okay, I see what the big deal is about it. How did you find it? You mentioned before, it’s downtown.”

“How else? Gabe found me through the grapevine, asking me to promote his freshly renovated gym. I was worried to take such a project, but I don’t regret it. These are really good,” he added, taking another oyster.

“I told you. Don’t try to give me the caviar, because the last time I had some, I nearly died.”

“Allergies?” Brian asked anxiously.

“Fuck knows.”

“Funny story,” Brian said, chuckling. “I wanted to sample this gym so I’d know what the fuck I was selling people. I had to see what sort of breeders attended the place, so I took Theodore with me. I mean, between any of our other friends, we’re the most…butch.”

Justin doubled over in laughter. “I would have never believed to live the day when you called yourself butch. What about Ben?”

“He was busy with classes, or whatever. So there we were…Theodore and me. He was spotting me, and we were actually talking about cars. He and Blake wanted to get a reliable model. We must have mentioned Blake’s name at some point, or made it somehow obvious that we were gay. Later, in the lockers, we got cornered by this group of gym bunnies.”

“No way,” Justin gasped. “Did they hurt you?”

“They broke Ted’s nose, and punched me in the ribs. I couldn’t breathe right for days. After I almost took out the teeth from one of them, I called Gabe. Luck was on my side that he was at the gym, and he ripped them a new one. He even banned them, apologizing profoundly for his clients’ atrocious behavior. Gabe had told me from moment one that anyone was welcomed in his gym, because that had been my first question.”

“Jesus, Brian. I’ve lost all hope for breeders to ever accept us.”

“Did you know the rate in gay divorces is lower than the straight couples?”

Justin raised a brow. “I wonder why that is…because we’re forbidden to actually get married.”

“Break-up…you name it. I generalized.” Brian waved a hand around.

“Somehow, I doubt it. Queers are notorious queens and they get offended easily. I mean…we alone could have pummeled that record to the ground with the amount of time we have broken-up.”

“I’m just saying…”

“I know, I know,” Justin placated him. “Speaking of this…how legal do you want the wedding to be?”

“I have reliable sources in the party and in the city hall…Pennsylvania is looking at legalizing gay marriages by next summer.”

Justin's mouth dropped. “You mean it?”

“This person won’t just say something like that if it wasn’t happening. It’s a friend I made during the Stockwell campaign.”

“That asshole… I’m so glad we won that small victory.”

“All thanks to you,” Brian said softly, taking Justin's hand across the table.

Justin popped another oyster in his mouth, squeezing Brian's fingers. “Did you know oysters are amazing aphrodisiacs?”

“I had no idea we needed aphrodisiacs.”

“We don’t, and we’ll never know if it’s really true. I’m in a perpetual state of horniness when I’m around you.” Justin laughed, playing with Brian's fingers.

Brian raised his glass. “To my hot body.”

Justin raised his own glass, grinning. “To never getting tired of each other.”

“That’s impossible,” Brian said seriously, bringing their joined hands to his mouth and kissing Justin's fingers. “You always know how to make me laugh.”

“Ditto,” Justin said, feeling choked up.

 

 

 

Chapter 46 by addict_writer

 

 

“How are we telling everyone?” Justin asked when they returned to their hotel room.

Brian took his coat off, putting it on the hanger in the hallway. “Do you want to invite everyone over?”

“They’ll think we’re joking.” Justin untied his boots and stepped out of them. “Maybe we should send them invitations again.”

“I know,” Brian exclaimed. “We’re hosting a Christmas party.”

“Are you feeling alright?” Justin asked, concerned.

Brian scowled. “Emmett can help plan it. Good practice for the wedding.”

“Christmas is in two weeks, Brian. The plan was to gather at Debbie’s on the Eve. And Mom wants us for brunch on Christmas Day.”

“All the more reason to have everyone over. We won’t have to go anywhere. It can be on the Eve, or on Christmas Day. You decide.”

“I have to call Emmett.” Justin pulled his phone out.

“There’s always tomorrow.” Brian extracted the phone from Justin's hand, placing it on the dresser along with his. He worked on unbuttoning Justin's dress shirt. “I want to make love to you.”

Justin melted against Brian's chest, helping him take the rest of their clothes off. They crawled on top of the bed, and Justin retrieved the lube tube from the night stand, offering it to Brian.

“Your turn,” Brian said softly, lounging next to Justin, resting on his stomach and hugging the soft pillows.

Justin moaned, leaning to kiss at Brian's ass, kneading his cheeks in his hands. Then Justin straddled Brian's ass, slowly rubbing his shoulders.

“Hmmm…if I wanted a back rub, I’d find a good spa.”

“I’m trying to be nice,” Justin chuckled. “But since you don’t appreciated it…” He moved lower and parted Brian's ass cheeks, spitting on his hole.

“That’s what I’m talking about,” Brian groaned.

“I aced your Rimming 101 classes.”

“You sure did.” Brian lifted his ass, grabbing a fistful of the pillow. “Did I mention I love your tongue?”

“Not particularly.” Justin moved lower, to suck on Brian's balls. “I plan on driving you crazy.”

“You already do, Sunshine.”

Justin could feel his heart ready to burst with the love he felt for the man under him.

Justin turned Brian around, kissing him deeply, before peppering open-mouthed kisses down his neck. His hands touched Brian everywhere, and all he wanted was to consume Brian, to become one with him.

“What’s the rush? We have all night,” Brian whispered, stalling Justin's urgency.

“I need you so badly. I can’t explain,” Justin said, kneeling between Brian's legs and lifting on his shoulder. “God, Brian. I think I’ve never needed anyone so badly.” Justin licked Brian's inner thigh, making Brian groan and relax into the pillows.

Justin managed to focus on stretching Brian's inner muscles, which gave him the grounding he needed. He ached with need to be inside Brian and show him how much he loved him, how intense his feelings were at the moment.

They both moaned when Justin breached Brian. Justin leaned between Brian's drawn knees to kiss him and plant his palms on either side of Brian's head, as he started moving in long and deep thrusts.

“Fuck, that feels incredible,” Brian gasped. He cupped Justin's cheek, pulling his head closer so they could kiss.

Justin met his eyes, smiling widely, moving faster. He knew he had found Brian's prostate when Brian's eyes rolled back and a long groan left his throat.

Justin knew that Brian wasn’t usually vocal during sex, but when Justin topped, and Brian got closer, Brian could put any slut to shame. Justin doubted he would ever get used to fuck Brian raw, because it was such a different experience. Brian had the tightest ass Justin had ever felt squeezing his dick; every time he fucked Brian, it got better.

Brian suddenly grabbed Justin's shoulder, arching his back. “Coming,” he breathed out.

Justin peered down at his fiancé, sweat rolling down his nose and falling on Brian's jaw. Justin anchored himself better with a hand on the headboard, and the other wrapped around Brian's rock hard dick. He managed only a few more pumps, before Brian shouted and spilled between them. It was all the trigger Justin needed, especially when Brian's inner muscles clamped around his dick.

“Fuck. Fuuuck,” Justin groaned, slumping on top of Brian, breathing harshly.

“Did I ever tell you what an amazing top you are?” Brian asked, stroking Justin's back lazily.

“Thank you.”

“Up for one more?” Brian started stroking Justin's dick.

“I should be asking you that, old man.”

“Who are you calling old?” Brian grunted. In one swift movement, he had Justin on his back, his hands pinned above his head. “Let me show you this old man can still make you lose your mind.”

Justin licked his lips slowly, staring at Brian through hooded eyelids. “I wouldn’t have said yes if I didn’t know you could keep me satisfied.”

Brian barked a loud laugh, as he moved lower on the bed, before hooking Justin's legs around his neck and licking around his hole.

Justin ended up dragging one of the pillows over his face to muffle his screams of ecstasy when Brian fucked him with his tongue, before replacing it with his dick. In one jerk movement, Justin threw the pillow away, crying out Brian’s name.

“Shhh! Don’t make them kick us out of the hotel,” Brian chided him, thrusting into him so hard the bed started banging against the wall.

“Fuuuuck!” Justin wrapped his hands backwards on the headboard, lifting his hips to meet Brian's deep thrusts. “I’m so close. God…”

“Yeah?” Brian breathed, pumping Justin's dick, stroking the tip teasingly.

Justin's jaw went slack but no sound left his mouth as he came apart in Brian's arms, before he melted into the mattress. Brian flopped on his back, breathing hard.

“This has to make our Top Five.”

“I think you broke all records. Shit.” Justin wasn’t quick enough to roll out of the bed before Brian's cum slipped out of him. “We better leave some tip for the cleaning staff. They’ll have to burn these sheets,” he laughed.

.

.

.

Sunday was spent walking around Central Park, and finally visiting some of the stores Brian had seen the other day. They ended up with a bag so big and heavy they had to check it in since it disqualified as a carry-on.

They had agreed not to wear the rings yet, and keep the surprise for Christmas.

On Monday, which was Justin's birthday, Justin woke up first by some miracle. He went to shower off the grime of flying.

They had arrived around two in the morning, but he was up at barely eight, feeling refreshed.

He was almost done with breakfast when Brian joined him. He was already in his suit, straightening his tie.

He went to hug Justin, who was flipping pancakes. “Happy birthday, Sunshine!”

“Thank you.” Justin kissed the corner of Brian's mouth. “I made pancakes.”

“I can see that. I’ll get one to go. I have a meeting at nine.”

“Oh, uh…I wanted to come with you so I can get Nick.”

Brian picked one of the cooling pancakes, stuffing it into his mouth. “I’ll take the ‘vette.”

Justin wrapped his arms around Brian's waist, smiling. “I love you. Go, be awesome.”

“The plan is to nail this account.” Brian dropped a kiss on Justin's forehead, taking another pancake, before he headed to the hallway.

“Not literally, I hope,” Justin called after him, amused.

“You’re the only one I’m nailing tonight,” Brian shouted over his shoulder, before the front door shut behind him.

Justin laughed, chewing on one pancake, shutting off the stove.

He called his mother, who answered after several long rings.

“Good morning, honey. Happy birthday,” she said warmly.

“Morning. Thanks, Mom. I’m going to come over in about an hour or so to get Nick.”

“I had to meet a client…last minute change on his side…who I’m waiting for as we speak. There was no time to let you know since this change of plan happened last night.”

“Is Nick with Tucker?”

“Actually, he’s with your sister, who was kind enough to pick him up at eleven last night. Don’t worry, he was extremely excited about spending time with his aunt.”

“Christ. Uh, it’s okay. I don’t mind. We were in the airport at eleven,” he explained, dipping a pancake in chocolate syrup.

“Well, call your sister to get Nick from her house. My client just arrived. Sorry.”

“Don’t worry. Good luck!”

Justin was truly curious if Nick had been indeed excited to spend time with Molly, because he didn’t even know her…or Hobbs. He realized where his son had spent the night. As much as he proclaimed he was over the past, it bothered him somewhat that Hobbs was now part of the family. His mother refused to acknowledge him, but Hobbs took it like a trooper.

After eating three more pancakes, Justin called his sister.

The call connected almost instantly.

“Hey, sis! Eager to be free of the little monster?”

“Hello, Justin. It’s Chris. Molly and your son are still sleeping.”

Justin hadn’t expected to hear his voice, and it took him a moment to gather his wits. “Uh, hey. Is he feeling better?”

“We gave him the last pill when we brought him over. Molly kept asking if he had to be in school today, but he said no.”

“Yeah, that’s true. The doctor told us to keep him home for two weeks. Anyway, I’ll come get him. Can you text me the address?”

“Of course. I’ll try to get him to wake up,” Hobbs offered.

“No. Not unless you want to become his enemy. Let him sleep.” Justin knew what a grouch his son was if someone insisted he should wake up when he didn’t want to.

It took him more than an hour to get to the address Hobbs had texted him. The house was small, yet he knew it was all Molly had ever wanted.

Justin rang the doorbell, rocking on the balls of his feet, bracing himself to face Hobbs. But his sister opened the door, a big smile on her face.

“If it isn’t birthday boy!” She pulled him inside, hugging him tightly.

“Damn, you’ve grown since the last time I saw you.” Justin took a step back to stare at the bulging stomach barely hidden by his sister’s night dress.

“We’re thinking of a small ceremony…just us…family…for this baby’s sake. Then we’ll have my dream wedding after the baby is born.”

“Sounds reasonable. When did you decide?”

“Daaaadddy!” Nick came running from around the corner. “You’re back! I missed you lots!”

“I missed you lots, too, little man.” Justin picked his son up, hugging him tightly. Nick clung to him, nestling his head against Justin's shoulder.

“Before New Year if possible. Know anyone at the City Hall?” Molly asked curiously.

“Funny you mentioned that. I just found out Brian knows someone who works there. I’ll ask him later,” Justin promised.

“You’re the best.”

“I can’t stay,” he said hastily, just as Hobbs joined them. He had a half-eaten banana in his hand.

Molly looked between them warily, and Justin sighed loudly. He stepped closer, reaching out a hand to shake with Hobbs.

“You son was eating this.”

“Damn, you’re really sick. Since when do you eat bananas?” Justin joked, accepting the fruit from Hobbs.

“It’s not that bad.”

“I’ll remember that. Did you get his bag from Mom’s?” Justin asked Molly.

“Yes. But…won’t you stay? Let me show you around.” She pouted.

“I’m sorry. I want to meet with Emmett. By the way, don’t make plans for Christmas. Brian has been abducted by the aliens and he wants to host the celebrations at home.” Justin shuddered.

“You better tell Mom that. She mentioned she was stocking up for a meal where she wanted all of us,” Molly told him.

“Yeah…let me talk to Emmett, then I’ll have to let everyone know.”

“You better get plenty of food. Molly eats for an army lately,” Hobbs said, amused.

“Don’t be an ass,” she hissed, pouting.

Justin grinned. “Noted. Molly will get three plates of each course.”

“You’re the worst!”

Justin rolled his eyes. “What do you know? Like in the olden days,” he teased. “Can you get Nick’s bag, please?” He turned to Hobbs. “We really have to go.”

“I’ll get it,” Molly offered, already heading toward the guest bedroom down the hallway.

“Have you thought about the D-Thing?” Nick inquired.

“I told you to talk to Brian about it.”

“Well…Brian isn’t here.”

“You’ll see him tonight,” Justin assured his son, accepting the bag from his sister.

“I reaaaaly want the D-Thing,” Nick whined.

Justin grimaced, especially when his sister and Hobbs stared at him in surprise. “I’m surrounded by perverts,” Justin groaned. “He’s talking about getting a dog. It used to be a lame joke between me and Ethan…but Nick caught on what the D-Thing meant…and picked up the saying.”

“That’s a big ack-us-ation…the pervert thing,” Nick pointed out.

“And who taught you that word? Remind me to punch Brian.”

“But it’s not nice,” Nick insisted.

“It’s true. It’s not nice punching people,” Molly giggled.

“Okay…thanks for keeping him over when Mom got other plans. I’ll let you know about the Christmas party.” Justin opened the front door, ready to go to the Jeep.

“Wait,” Molly cried out when he was halfway to the car.

Justin turned to see her taking a gift bag from Hobbs, and coming after him in just her thin night dress.

“Get back inside before you get a cold,” he protested.

“This is for you.” She handed him the bag. “Happy birthday, Jus.”

“Thanks, Molly. I hope you don’t mind if I won’t check just now what you got me.” He nodded to his son in his arms, and the duffle bag with Nick’s things.

Justin was grateful, Hobbs joined them and opened the back door for him to put Nick and his bag in there, along with his gift. Then, they returned inside, and Justin got behind the wheel. He picked his phone and called Emmett again. He had tried getting a hold of him since he had left Britin an hour ago.

“Justin, damn, what got your panties in a twist? I was with a client.”

“Sorry. I didn’t think. Can we meet?”

“I’m free after eleven. Want me to come over? You’ll tell me all about your trip to New York.”

“Perfect. I’ll wait for you. Bring your planner, and whatever drugs you might need to stay calm. We have a huge party to plan in less than two weeks.”

“You’re getting married in two weeks?” Emmett shouted in Justin's ear.

“No,” Justin laughed nervously. “We want to host Christmas at Britin.”

“So…Stepford husbands of you. We can work with the short time-frame. Let me get through my ten o’clock meeting, then I’m all yours.”

“You’re a life-saver, Em.”

 

 

Chapter 47 by addict_writer

 

 

Christmas at Britin turned out to be chaotic.

Justin had chased Nick half of the morning, trying to get him to come inside the house and get ready. But it had snowed heavily over the night, and the little boy was having a blast in the spacious backyard.

On top of Nick getting on his nerves, Brian had to throw a tantrum about an undefined stain on the red dress shirt he had planned on wearing.

Justin seized the opportunity to force Brian into the Christmas sweater he had gotten him.

Brian insisted they should wear the rings, and see if anyone noticed before they made the announcement.

By the time the family started arriving, the crisis was under control. The first guests to appear on their doorstep were Emmett and Drew, who had brought Ted and Blake with them.

Justin was grateful for Emmett arriving earlier so they could finish last-minute touches.

Brian took his role as the host seriously, leading the others in the living room and offering them drinks.

Nick sampled some of the food, and Justin allowed him, only because he knew it wasn’t likely to keep Nick seated at the table for long enough to eat properly.

Brian was the one to greet the rest of their guests as they kept coming, while Justin and Emmett plated the finger food in the kitchen. Michael even dared joke about them becoming model Stepford husbands who hosted dinner parties.

The last to arrive were Jennifer with Tucker and Molly. Brian was surprised not to see Molly’s future husband at her arm, but it meant less tension without his ugly mug around. She explained that Hobbs was with his family, since his father had ended up in the hospital the previous day.

Brian led them to the living room where the rest of the family was spread around, chatting casually.

Nick rushed to him, tugging at his pants, making Brian bend to his level. Nick put his hand to Brian's ear. “I had an accident. Daddy will be very mad.”

“Did you pee your pants?” Brian couldn’t imagine anything worse than that.

Nick huffed, slapping Brian's shoulder. “No, that’s gross. I put some of those filled eggs on me.” He tugged at his white shirt, pointing to a yellow spot on his chest. “Think we can clean it?”

“You need another shirt,” Brian explained.

“Daddy will know…”

“You can say you didn’t like it.”

“It’s my favorite shirt, Brian.” Nick pouted, staring desolated at his dirty shirt.

Brian rubbed Nick’s back. “I’m sure Justin won’t be mad because you put food on yourself. Come on, let’s find another shirt.” He picked Nick up, and had managed to climb a couple of stairs when Justin called after them. “Yeah?” Brian turned to look at Justin over his shoulder.

“We’re ready to move to the dining room. Uh…where are you going?”

“We’ll be right there,” Brian promised, continuing up the stairs.

He ended up with another top for himself after Nick’s smudge had transferred to his sweater. When they joined the others downstairs, Nick stuck close to Brian, watching his daddy anxiously.

“Relax,” Brian insisted, pulling Nick on his lap. Brian couldn’t understand why Nick was so distressed, but knowing Justin, he must have been very upset in the past with Nick for dirtying his shirts.

Justin joined them, sitting next to Brian. He handed Nick a glass of orange juice, smiling. He looked at them for a long minute, shaking his head.

“Are you going to change clothes throughout the party? One shirt for greeting guests, one for appetizers, one for main course?” he teased. “You’re a funny pair.”

“That’s not a bad idea now,” Brian said, amused. “See? All good,” he whispered into Nick’s ear, who had relaxed.

“You’ve outdone yourself, Sunshine,” Debbie called from the other end of the table.

“It’s all thanks to Emmett. I wasn’t sure we’d be able to have everything ready in time.” Justin smiled bashfully.

Emmett gasped theatrically. “Of course, everything was ready in time. All my clients are satisfied with my services.”

“I can attest to that,” Drew said, laughing.

“You know what I mean,” Emmett added hastily.

“There’s nothing wrong with a personal touch to please the client,” Brian quipped, making everyone laugh.

“I’m sure you have a lot of experience in that department,” Emmett muttered.

“Years of practice,” Brian confirmed, nodding emphatically.

Justin snatched some of the paper tissues from the table, dabbing his eyes as he laughed harder.

“But I’ve changed my approach…lately,” Brian continued, taking Justin's hand. It made Justin sober up somewhat, and smile widely at Brian. “Some might say I’ve lost my touch.”

“You’ve still got the touch,” Justin said teasingly, leaning closer to Brian and kissing his cheek.

“Young ears,” Jen cried out.

To confirm her that Nick had no clue what they were insinuating, the child hugged both Brian and his daddy around the necks.

Justin met Brian's eyes, and nodded, because it looked like a good moment to break the news.

When they turned to face their guests, they found everyone focused on their own plate or chatting with the person next to them.

Brian got up, placing Nick in his chair, before he pulled Justin up. Their gesture grabbed their guests’ attention.

Justin rubbed Brian's forearm, shifting nervously. Brian peered down at him, grinning.

“I have a strong sense of déjà-vu,” Debbie gasped, leaning back in her chair.

“Uh, we decided to go through with the wedding, after all,” Justin said quietly.

“It’s about time I settle down and embrace a true Stepford husband life,” Brian added, amused.

Justin rolled his eyes, sliding one of his hands down Brian's arm to link their fingers.

Nick sat up on the chair, turning to hug both of them. “You’re the best, Brian!”

Justin laughed, kissing the top of Nick’s head.

“Nick was my biggest supporter in proposing to Justin,” Brian explained. “And I have a surprise for you,” he added, shifting his focus on Nick. “After I marry Justin, I want to adopt you. What do you say?”

Nick gasped, then he started sobbing into Brian's chest.

“Really?” he asked between tears.

“Really,” Brian said softly, hugging the little boy tightly.

“I love you, Brian.”

Brian stroked Nick’s back, repeating his words. He felt Justin leaning into their embrace and kissing his cheek.

“This is so moving,” Emmett exclaimed, teary-eyed. “I’m so happy for you two!”

Justin had to detangle from the hug with Brian and Nick, and accept Emmett throwing his arms around him. “Thank you,” he said in a rough voice.

He hadn’t expected to hear Brian's surprise for Nick. It was probably Nick’s best gift, even though it wasn’t something tangible.

“This time around, you better not chicken out,” Emmett teased.

“No more cold feet,” Justin promised.

“Oh, honey!” His mother came over to hug him tightly. “Who asked who this time?”

Justin laughed, accepting Tucker’s handshake. “I allowed Brian the pleasure…again.” He turned to see Brian and Nick still glued to each other. Nick was staring at Brian with all the love a child could have for a parent, and Justin could feel his eyes filling with tears.

After everyone congratulated them, warning them about getting non-refundable gifts so they better go through with the wedding, they all settled so they could enjoy the meal.

Like Justin had predicted, Nick wasn’t interested in food, but he accepted a slice of salami from Justin's plate.

“I have to ask,” his mother said in his direction. “What sort of air freshener do you have? It’s interesting.”

“It’s not a spray. I discovered this amazing store close to the art supplies store,” he said, excitedly. But before he could explain further, Nick spoke loudly.

“It’s love incest – Daddy’s favorite.”

Justin covered his face with his hands, unsure if he was amused, or he wanted to die of mortification.

Brian chuckled. “Before anyone gets ideas…Nick is trying to say incense. Justin found these boxes with various names and supposed purposes. His favorite is the one which is supposed to smell like love.”

“But this particular one said it should bring good fortune and happiness,” Justin mumbled.

“You had us worried for a moment,” Ted said, grimacing.

“Don’t…please. Nick likes how these smell, too. I was called to school on his last day before break. His teachers were scandalized about Nick telling everyone how I loved incest.” Justin shook his head.

Nick pouted. “I can’t get right the word,” he admitted.

“I know, baby. But the word you found as a good replacement means completely something else,” Justin reminded him.

“We’re working on it,” Brian insisted.

“Don’t worry, Nick. Even adults have trouble spelling out that word correctly. Don’t make me say it,” Emmett said loudly, looking threateningly around the trouble.

“Did the teachers understand?” Jennifer asked, worried.

“Oh, yes.” Justin nodded emphatically. “But they made me promise to make sure he knew the words he used, because I didn’t want to get in trouble with the other parents.”

“Yeah, I can attest that you kids had intriguing conversations in school. I remember one time, you came home and told us one of the other kids’ dad was a rapist,” Jennifer said with a smile. “You were so serious.”

“What,” Justin gasped. “What the hell did I mean by that?”

“Craig was ready to pull you out of the school and have that man arrested. But when we went to school, we found out the poor guy was a therapist. You understood it as two words – the rapist.”

Brian laughed loudly. “Only Justin's overactive brain could misunderstand something like that.”

“Shut up,” Justin mumbled, kicking Brian's leg under the table. “I don’t remember that.”

“It was in your first week of first grade. Once we knew there were no rapists amongst the other students’ parents…it was funny,” Jennifer admitted. “Anyway, are you okay with these things you are burning? I only once got some but I had to get rid of them when your allergies kicked in.”

Justin took a sip from his wine. “Surprisingly, I’ve been fine. I was worried about it, too, at first.”

A while later, when Nick had gone to the bathroom, Justin was sent to keep him away while the guests put their own presents under the tree. Justin wanted to protest, that it would only confuse Nick. He and Brian had let him discover his presents the previous night before bedtime, when Nick had been too eager to check if Santa had come, every ten minutes.

“Why are you here?” Nick asked suspiciously, when he came out of the bathroom and found Justin on his bed.

“Just checking…You having a good time?”

Nick narrowed his eyes at his dad. “Yes. Why didn’t you tell me Brian asked you to marry him?”

“We wanted it to be a surprise.” Justin pulled Nick between his legs, hugging him tightly. “I heard you helped Brian.”

Nick nodded seriously. “I’m so happy, Daddy! Brian actually wants to be my daddy, too.”

“Of course, he does, Nick. He told you this.”

“Well…I thought I upset him with asking what I should call him,” Nick admitted.

“No, you didn’t. Like Brian said, you can keep calling him Brian, if any other word doesn’t sound right for you. We won’t force you to call him daddy.”

“I was thinking…maybe dada.”

Justin blinked through his tears. “Anything you want. Brian doesn’t mind, I want you to remember that.” Justin got up, taking his son’s hand. “Come on, time for dessert.”

“Uh, will you be upset if I don’t come downstairs? I’m tired, Daddy.”

Justin stared at him awe. “Do you want to nap?”

Nick nodded, chewing on his lips.

“Of course, kiddo. Want me to stay with you?”

“No, it’s cool. But are you sure your friends won’t be upset?”

“They won’t,” Justin reassured him.

When he arrived downstairs, the fruit mousse Emmett had made for the occasion was placed in front of everyone at the table.

“I guess Nick decided to nap.”

“You put him to sleep so he won’t see his presents from us,” his mom gasped.

“No, Mom. He willingly decided it was nap time. You’d be surprised how much he loves nap time.” Justin caught Brian's eye, smiling. “Nick is the perfect child.”

“This is really good, Emmett. You must tell me the recipe,” Molly commented.

“I’d love to! Maybe when we meet next week to talk about your reception.” Emmett shook his head. “You, Taylors, love to hurry me.”

“Sorry…we’re pressured by time. Soon, I might not fit in any nice wedding gown,” Molly whined.

“Of course, I’m not really upset.” Emmett turned to Justin and Brian, shaking on finger. “You better not do this to me.”

Brian smiled tightly, rising his fingers in a scouts’ honor sign. “I promise not to knock up Sunshine.”

Justin slapped Brian's arm, grimacing. “Don’t worry. We haven’t set a date. And don’t pester us about when we’ll do it.”

“And you’ll be the first to know the date, Emmett,” Brian added.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 48 by addict_writer

 

 

Brian woke up to an empty bed.

He blinked slowly, unsure why he was awake. The curtains had been left open, and he could see the night sky was too bright for the late hour, which meant it was snowing.

He glanced toward the bathroom, but the light was off.

It was unlike Justin to wake up in the middle of the night. Unless Nick had a bad dream, and he had gone to soothe him, and fell asleep next to him. It wouldn’t be the first time.

Brian found his phone on the nightstand and noticed it was close to three in the morning. They had gone to bed around eleven, but he wasn’t sure when they had actually fallen asleep considering Justin had undressed and thrown himself in the middle of the bed, grinning slyly.

Brian tugged on his briefs, then wrapped his silk robe around his body, going in search of his man.

He found Justin curled on the futon near the fireplace, concentrating on the sketchpad on his lap. He walked closer, making Justin jump, startled.

“What are you doing awake?” Brian asked, confused.

“I can’t sleep.”

Brian peered closer to Justin's drawing, and saw the perfect replica of their fireplace, complete with the background and surroundings.

“Did you even try to sleep?”

Justin shook his head. “I got up shortly after you fell asleep. It’s been a while since I had insomnia. I used to get it a lot in New York. And funny thing was, I wasn’t tired in the morning…but my head would hurt like fuck.”

“Of course, because of no sleep.” Brian sat next to him, stroking his hair. “I didn’t even know you had insomnia.”

Justin grimaced. “I hate to say this, Brian, but there’s a lot you don’t know about my life in New York.” Justin placed his head against Brian's shoulder. “I’ve been thinking of going to therapy.”

“I thought you hated therapy.”

“Well…I need to talk to someone about everything. I only get insomnia when I’m so deep in my head, I manage to work myself up toward a panic attack,” he admitted.

“And why the fuck didn’t you wake me?” Brian demanded.

“Drawing has always been my therapy. I always sort out through my crazy thoughts when I draw,” Justin explained.

“Care to explain what happened?”

“I felt overwhelmed,” he mumbled, hugging the sketchpad to his chest. “When I noticed it was snowing so nicely…with these big flakes…I was immediately transported back in my past. Believe me, I hate how I can’t seem to let go,” he added hastily. “I remembered how I used to sit on the windowsill in our bedroom and watch it snow. Winters in New York are something else.”

“So I hear,” Brian said softly, stroking Justin's hair.

“I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep the longer I stared at how it was snowing. So I came here to see it better. Then I got lost in my head.”

“Can I ask what were you thinking?”

Justin shook his head, laughing. “You don’t want to know.”

“Try me.”

“I don’t want to tell you. I can’t even make sense of half of the things where my brain wanders.”

“We used to talk about this stuff,” Brian reminded him quietly. He pulled Justin closer, kissing along his neck. “We sat in the dark like now, and you told me about your problems.”

“Yeah, I was a stupid kid back then. Now I know some things are better left unsaid…and I know I have to work out this stuff on my own…with a professional.”

“I know someone, if it is what you want.”

Justin snorted. “I wonder if there’s ever a someone you don’t know regarding any area.”

“With my job, I know a lot of people,” Brian explained. “And sometimes, I made acquaintances from new fields in the Backroom.”

“I’m sure your tricks told you about their lives while you fucked them,” Justin joked.

Brian laughed, rubbing Justin's back. “Not quite, but take Shane as an example. I’d probably be dead if he didn’t blow me and found the lump on my ball.”

Justin squeezed his eyes shut, stroking Brian's arm. “I see what you mean. And I get it…I mean, I used to meet various people during my shows.”

Brian kissed the top of Justin's head. “Just tell me if you want to go to therapy. I have a friend.”

“Okay. Thanks.”

“Now, how about we head to bed? Some of us have to wake up early and shovel the snow.” Brian scowled in the window’s direction.

“You go. I can’t sleep.” Justin readjusted his position in the futon, rearranging his sketchpad.

Brian plucked the sketchpad from his hands, placing it on the floor, then he pulled Justin up by the hand. He covered Justin's lips with his, muffling his protests.

“I’m sure I can tire you enough to fall asleep,” Brian promised.

“Doubtfully,” Justin mumbled, but succumbed to Brian's kisses.

Justin untied Brian's robe, caressing his toned abdomen, before dipping a hand into his underwear. Brian gasped, throwing his head back, and allowing Justin access to lick and nip at his exposed throat.

“No hickeys,” Brian warned in a low voice.

Justin licked at a reddening area, knowing he would get hell later. He lowered to his knees, taking Brian's briefs off, before taking him in his mouth. Brian wrapped his fingers into Justin's hair, grunting loudly.

“Shhh,” Justin hissed, because the sound had somehow reverberated in the quiet room.

The last thing they wanted was for Nick to interrupt them.

Brian guided Justin's head movements, lost in the pleasure. He even allowed Justin to squeeze his ass under the silk robe. “Fuck, Justin.”

Justin bobbed his head faster, gripping the back of Brian's thighs, but when Brian attempted to hold his head in place so he could seek his release, Justin slowly stood. He licked a trail up to Brian's lips, where they shared a carnal kiss, before Brian pushed him on all four on the carpet in front of the fireplace.

Justin fought with his sleep pants which got tangled around his ankles, but Brian helped him. Then Justin's T-shirt joined the pile of clothes.

Brian pressed his thumb into Justin's ass which accepted him without much prompting after their lovemaking several hours ago. Justin stretched his chest across the soft carpet when Brian pushed into him, making him go in deeper.

Brian leaned over Justin’s back, gripping the hair at the base of his neck, making Justin arch his back, moaning loudly. Brian moved his hand to cover Justin's mouth.

“Fuck me,” Justin breathed against Brian's palm, slapping a hand back to clutch at Brian's hip. “Fuck me hard.”

Brian held him down with his hands anchored on Justin's shoulders, then he started pumping hard. Justin bit on his fist, thrusting back against Brian's movements until stars exploded behind his eyes.

Brian kept fucking him through his release, before he came undone, shuddering and flopping next to Justin on the carpet, breathing harshly.

“That was so hot,” Justin gasped, smiling lazily, reaching over to tangle his fingers with Brian's.

Brian bent an arm behind his head as he turned to look at his fiancé. “It was,” he admitted. He rolled on his side, running the back of his fingers down over Justin's spine. “You have such smooth skin.”

“Thanks,” Justin said, chuckling, leaning closer to kiss Brian.

“Dadddy! Brian! Daaadddy! It’s snowing!”

Justin shot up, snatching his sleep pants and tugging them on just in time for Nick to dash down the stairs. He eyed them suspiciously.

Brian hugged his robe around his waist, sitting up slowly.

“You say it as if it hasn’t snowed a hundred times this season. It’s already February,” Justin said gently, rearranging his pants before picking Nick up.

Brian watched as Justin shuffled, holding a hand to his ass.

“Let me,” Brian offered, taking Nick from him. He knew Justin had to clean up, and it was close to impossible with Nick around.

“But it snows so nice,” Nick insisted. “Can we go out?”

Justin pointed to the clock on the mantelpiece. “It’s four in the morning.”

“It’s really pretty.”

“The snow will still be there when we leave for school,” Brian explained. “And you need to go back to sleep, or you’ll be a grouch in a couple of hours.”

“Just five minutes. Pleeeease.” Nick pouted, hugging Brian around the neck.

“I can’t,” Justin mouthed.

“Go,” Brian mouthed back, taking Nick to the window. “Look.” He opened the window, shivering at the cold blast that hit him. “It will take too long to get dressed for going outside, then you won’t fall back asleep.”

Nick picked snow from the glass, before it could melt to the floor. Then he pressed his wet and freezing hands to Brian's face.

“Nick, what the hell?” Brian closed the window harshly. “Jesus.” He couldn’t feel his face, but it was funny how comfortable Nick was with him.

“I want out. Where’s Daddy?” He looked around, confused.

“He didn’t want to hear you whining,” Brian said, amused.

Nick pouted.

“How about you go back to bed now? I’ll wake you in a couple of hours to help me take the snow from the driveway,” Brian compromised.

“Yay! Deal.”

“Good.” Brian carried Nick to his room, placing him in bed.

“Is Daddy really upset?”

“I doubt it. He was headed to the bathroom when you came to us,” Brian lied, which proved like a good idea.

“Oh, okay. Good night, Brian.”

“Night, kiddo.”

Brian found Justin in their bathroom, toweling his wet hair.

“I don’t know what the fuck you do…but he listens to you,” Justin commented, surprised. “I take it, you didn’t go outside.”

Brian stopping in front of the toilet to piss. “No, but I opened the window and the little shit put snow on my face.”

Justin laughed. “Still, it doesn’t explain how he listens to you.”

Brian flushed, rolling his eyes. “It’s like he never listens to you.”

“I wouldn’t have won this argument,” Justin pointed out, placing the towel on the heated rack.

Brian went to wash his hands and met Justin's eyes through the mirror. “Don’t tell me, this happened in the past.”

“Last year…in January. We couldn’t reason with him when he came to wake us up because he wanted outside. It was snowing so pretty,” Justin said mockingly. “Believe me, neither of us managed to talk sense into him.”

Brian grimaced. “I have a way with, kids, dear.”

“Fuck off,” Justin said, amused, slapping Brian's ass.

As Brian turned around, ready to head to bed. He noticed a red spot on his neck. He tilted his head to see what was there because he couldn’t remember pinching his skin during shaving.

“What the fuck, Sunshine?” he hissed. He leaned closer to the mirror. “I told you no hickeys.”

“You’re a married man now. Grow up.”

Justin returned to the bedroom with Brian hot on his heels.

“I fucking hate marks on my body. I’ll become the gossip subject at the water cooler about what an insecure twat I have at home who had to mark me as his.”

Justin threw himself on the bed. “I thought you couldn’t wait to become the gossip subject at the water cooler,” he teased. “Besides, I didn’t mean to.”

“Well, watch your teeth next time.”

“Jesus, Brian. I don’t see what the big deal is. I’ll be careful.”

Brian shrugged out of the robe and got under the blanket, glaring at the ceiling in the darkness. Justin would understand if he told him, but it would also earn him pity, which Brian hated.

Brian turned around, throwing an arm around Justin's body, kissing his naked shoulder. “I had enough marks on my body growing up. I fucking hate seeing any kind of bruises on my skin,” he admitted softly.

“Shit, Brian. Fuck. I didn’t even…I’m sorry,” Justin whispered, turning around to hug him. He tucked his head under Brian's chin to kiss the hickey.

“You didn’t know. You couldn’t have guessed. See…I’m sharing shit that I should probably talk to a shrink about but that will never happen.”

Justin stiffened, breathing heavily against Brian's throat. “Fine…you’re as subtle as an elephant.” He took a shuddering breath. “I let my mind wander too deep…to a life in New York where no terrible things would have happened…where I would have never reconnected with you. Then I thought about our upcoming wedding…and how I didn’t deserve you…how you forgave me every time I hurt you. Then…somehow, I envisioned sharing our wedding day with Molly…and then my new memories assaulted me…Fuck.” Justin pressed his forehead to Brian's shoulder. “I had to get out of the bed and clear my head.”

“Christ, Justin.” Brian rubbed his back slowly. “Wake me up next time this happens. And my offer stands…if you really want a professional.”

“I do,” Justin whispered, lifting his head enough to meet Brian's eyes in the dark room.

Brian smiled widely, despite their serious conversation. “When are you going to tell Emmett we’ve decided on August?”

“After I renew my Xanax prescription,” Justin joked. “Maybe this week. He’ll complain it’s short notice, anyway.”

“We’re doing it in our backyard, so there will be no need to find a place,” Brian reminded him.

“I’ll talk to him. You can tell him, too, you know.”

“Yeah…I’d rather skip. Let’s get some sleep. I’m dreading shoveling the snow from the driveway…again. Fucking winter.”

Justin laughed. “At least, someone is happy about the snow.”

“Don’t worry. Nick promised to help me.”

Justin cupped his mouth to muffle his louder laughter. “Good luck with that.”

 

 

Chapter 49 by addict_writer

 

 

Brian stormed into Kinnetik after a disastrous meeting with a potential client. The man ended up being far too understanding after Brian had fucked up royally several times over.

Brian found Cynthia’s shiny new toy laughing with her and a woman from Finance.

“You,” Brian spat, stopping in front of the idiot. “You’re fired.” Then he continued on his way to his office.

He could hear Cynthia talking soothingly to the imbecile. Damian had proved to be an amazing help until he had failed monumentally to do minimal research about Brian's business meeting with one who might be their biggest account to date.

“I thought we agreed not to say anything hasty to Damian. What has he done wrong?” Cynthia barged into his office.

Brian rounded on her. “You allowed him to do the research for our newest client. Well, he nearly cost me wining this account. He didn’t even get the man’s name right.” Brian noticed Damian hovering in the doorway, looking remorseful. “It was Brad, like Brad Pitt. Not Brandy, like your favorite sitcom. What the fuck, Damian?”

“I’m so sorry, Brian…” the boy mumbled.

“That’s Mr. Kinney to you. Get Ted to work on the papers for him,” he told Cynthia.

“Just because Damian mixed up the name of your client…that’s not a good enough reason to rip him a new one. How many times have I made such mistakes, Brian?” Cynthia challenged.

“I wasn’t your employer back then. Besides, we screwed up together.”

“Exactly. Damian is about our age when we started working for Ryder. Don’t be an asshole.”

Brian huffed. “Brad has the biggest chain of stores that sell vegan products. Why the fuck did you make reservations to a steak house? You are so lucky, we found something on the menu for him to eat.”

“I’m sorry,” Damian said shakily.

“And the cherry on the fucking clusterfuck?” Brian thundered. “I mentioned his wife in a casual conversation. Turns out the poor woman is dead…for three years now,” he spat. “It will be a miracle if he agrees to go with us.”

“Oh, Damian,” Cynthia sighed, shaking her head.

“Now you understand?” Brian demanded.

“Still, it’s not a sound enough reason to fire Damian.” She pushed the kid out of Brian's office, before closing the door, and turning to face Brian. “Like I mentioned a minute ago, we have both made mistakes. It’s his first time doing something like this.”

“You drive a hard bargain,” Brian muttered, throwing himself on his chair, tugging at his tie.

“You might not know or care, but he’s all alone in the city. In all the time he’s been with us, I never heard him talk about meeting with friends. He’s always eager to join us for drinks after work when we meet up.”

“I don’t want to hear his sob story.” Brian rubbed at his temple. “I know it’s his first time screwing up, and this wouldn’t have happened if you had the time to do your job. I couldn’t fix the problem that sprung overnight in Chicago and be at this meeting.”

“The Chicago issue is solved. However, you might want to talk to Kurt. You relocated him there as Account Manager, not as the boss. He’s been giving everyone orders, and Jane mentioned to me how he has been hitting on her,” Cynthia explained.

“I might have to fly over there and remind him I’m the fucking boss. Jane hasn’t said anything about this. I talked to her last week.”

“I doubt she felt comfortable to tell you. I suggested she should email Ted a written complaint, and we’ll take it from there.”

“Good thinking. I have to take this.” Brian took his ringing phone out of his jacket.

“I’m going to calm Damian and tell him he’s not fired.”

Brian showed her his finger, as he answered Justin. “Hey, you.”

“Hey. Are you busy toward the end of the week?”

Brian knew for a fact he had several meetings scheduled for Thursday and Friday. “Nothing that can’t be rescheduled. Why?”

“I’m waiting to get Nick from school, and I want to talk to his teacher to let him miss out Thursday and Friday.”

“What the hell? Why?”

Justin was silent for a long time. “On Thursday it will be one year…Nick might not realize it, but he’ll give me hell if I go to New York without him again,” he said softly.

“One year…” Brian repeated. “Oh, fuck. One year,” he said in understanding.

“Yeah. I was in two minds about going back on my own, but I would have had both of you on my ass for eternity.”

“You already have me on your ass for eternity,” Brian joked. “Want me to get plane tickets? Accommodation? It’s such short notice, Justin.”

“I know,” he mumbled. “If you can’t come with us, it’s okay. I know you’re busy.”

“Shut up. I’m coming. Come over after you pick Nick and talk to his teacher.”

“Did you eat? I could stop by somewhere.”

“I just came back from a lunch date. You get something for yourself and Nick. And drive carefully. The roads are icy.”

“I’ve noticed. See you soon.”

Brian placed the phone on his desk, rubbing his temple. After a few moments of mulling over Justin's wish to return to New York for a few days on the one year anniversary since Ian’s death, Brian checked his schedule.

He wasn’t sure what other days might be suitable to reschedule his meetings, so he got up and went to the door. “Damian,” he called toward the office he and Cynthia shared.

Damian appeared promptly in the hallway, looking like he had been crying. “Yes, Mr. Kinney.”

Brian waved him into his office. He returned to his chair, and Damian followed him, stopping close to the door.

“Shut the door. Take a seat.” Brian waved to the chair across his desk.

“Can I say something, please?” Damian begged, his eyes on his hands knotted on his lap.

“Keep your apologies. We all make mistakes. Just…be more careful about these things. Especially with new clients,” Brian insisted.

Damian looked up, wonder in his eyes.

“Come on, kid. You must have heard me bark at Theodore a billion times how I’m going to fire him. You have to piss me off much, much worse for me to throw you out of the agency. Now, let’s talk about my meetings on Thursday and Friday.”

“Thank you, Mr. Kinney. Thank you! You have no idea…I promise to be more careful.”

“Damian,” Brian hissed. He wasn’t ready to hear the boy making promises he wasn’t able to keep.

“Right. Let me get the planner.”

Brian frowned after him, as the boy rushed out of his office only to return what seemed like the next second with a tablet. Damian sat across from Brian again, thumbing through the device.

“We can reschedule everyone. I will make the calls. Except…the sex toys account.”

“Fuck.” Brian wasn’t sure why he had accepted the offer from an old acquaintance. He had pushed around the meeting, and now there was no escaping it. “Have Ted handle it. You can join him,” Brian added, amused.

Damian’s eyes widened, and his face turned an unhealthy shade of red.

“It will be fun. Take notes for me.”

Skeptically, Damian nodded. “Good. Make all the necessary calls to reschedule all my other meetings. If some of the clients can’t meet us another time, it’s on Ted or Phil. Now, send Cynthia here.”

Damian nodded again, before disappearing out of Brian's office.

“You’ll give this kid a whiplash,” Cynthia complained, stepping into his office and closing the door.

“He’s a tough kid. Do you still have our details to buy plane tickets and book a hotel room for us?”

“Are you taking Justin away for Valentine’s Day?” she asked, surprised.

Brian winced. “Thanks for pointing that out. No, actually, he wants to go back to New York for a few days. On Thursday it will be one year since the fiddler was murdered.”

“Oh, God. Just the two of you?”

“And Nick. Do you need anything for him?”

“I have his details for when I booked your trip for the summer.”

“Right. Thank you.”

She managed to reached the door, when Brian called her name, grimacing. She turned to look at him over her shoulder.

“When’s the Pink Day?”

“Today.”

“Oh. Okay.”

“Need me to call a flower shop?” she offered, smiling.

“No.” Brian could clearly remember how Justin had told him he hated roses.

Brian knew exactly what he wanted to get Justin, and he knew Justin would appreciate food more than flowers. With his decision made, he picked his cellphone, and left the office.

“If Justin and Nick arrive before I’m back, tell them I had an emergency,” Brian said toward Cynthia’s office.

He walked to the bakery not that far away from Kinnetik. Brian had helped the owner make it better known after he had discovered what delicious sweets were displayed and how few customers the place had.

The bakery was swarming with people when he stepped inside, but he went to check the displayed sweets.

“Hi, Brian,” Tara called, offering him a small smile.

“Hey! Is Jackson around?” Brian wasn’t impressed with the cookies and fancy cakes in the display window.

Tara opened a side door. “Jax, you have a visitor,” she shouted.

Brian waited for his friend to appear and ask Tara what he problem was. She pointed to Brian, who waved, rolling his eyes.

“Brian, I would have never guessed to see you here on this day,” Jackson said, coming closer to his friend.

“Stranger things have happened. Tell me you have other cakes besides these ones.” Brian waved to the display window.

“Come with me in the back. I just finished decorating a small and cute cake. I don’t think it’s your style, though.”

“I don’t have a style,” Brian joked, following Jackson to the kitchen area.

There were several cakes in a refrigerator with a glass window.

“This one,” Jackson said, waving to the one on the metal table.

Brian shouldn’t have been surprised he overlooked it. The thing wasn’t his style, at all. But it screamed Justin for miles.

It was small and heart-shaped, decorated in dark chocolate frosting with raspberries on top of it, accentuating the shape of the heart.

“What is on the inside?”

“Dark chocolate base with a white mousse made of cream and raspberries, then it’s a coffee mousse layer, and white chocolate top with a thin frosting of dark chocolate.”

“Sold,” Brian said hurriedly.

“It’s ninety dollars.”

“Like I ever cared about the price. Wrap it up nicely.”

“Go to Tara and pay for it. I’ll bring it to you in a minute. I have to finish decorating it,” Jackson said, amused.

“Thanks, man.”

The bakery had emptied considerably, and Brian only had to wait for a man to decide what he wanted to get his girlfriend, before he told Tara to ring him ninety for a cake, and also add some rainbow cupcakes. Brian had learned fast how delicious the rainbow cupcakes were, but he also spent five extra minutes on the treadmill after such a treat.

Brian returned to Kinnetik to find Justin and Nick in the hallway with Cynthia.

“What you got there?” Nick came to peer into Brian's bag.

“Did you eat lunch?” Brian asked.

“Yup.”

“Nope,” Justin said loudly.

Brian laughed. “Then you won’t get what’s in the bag,” he told Nick, holding the bag out of the child’s reach. He met Justin's eyes, grinning. “We can go, I’m done for the day.”

“Sure.” Justin hugged Cynthia, before joining Brian and Nick, who was pouting at the bag.

As they left the building, Justin steered Nick into the backseat of the Jeep. After he shut the door, he turned to Brian, kissing him soundly.

“I got you something,” Brian said quietly.

“Sweets? Fuck, you know the way to my heart. What’s the occasion?” Justin asked, peering into the bag, but everything was wrapped up and he couldn’t see inside.

“Fuck, I knew it. I could have sworn you forgot, but then Cynthia came and pointed out what today was.”

Justin eyed him curiously, then his eyes widened. Then he laughed nervously. “I didn’t want to say anything. I realized what today was when I was at the gallery earlier. I even got a flower from a random guy on the street who was handing flowers left and right.”

Brian pursed his lips. “Cute.”

“No, don’t get jealous. It doesn’t become you.” Justin opened the passenger door. He leaned inside the car then turned to hand Brian a bouquet of white roses. “It was all I could find.”

“I thought you hated flowers…especially roses.”

“When they didn’t hold any emotion, but these…well, it’s silly. I hope they mean something for you.” Justin eyed the bouquet in his hands.

“Thank you, Sunshine. I don’t recall anyone ever buying me flowers.” Brian kissed him deeply.

They were separated by loud honking.

Brian spotted Nick leaned between the front seats, pressing his palms to the center of the steering wheel.

“Nick,” Justin gasped, climbing into the passenger seat. “That wasn’t nice.”

Brian placed the bag with the sweets and the flowers in Justin's lap, before he closed the door and rounded the car to get behind the wheel. He caught the end of Nick’s complaint about being hungry.

“You refused to eat everything I offered you. So, wait until we get home. We have mac ‘n cheese.”

“Can I put ketchup on it?”

“Yes,” Justin groaned, shuddering.

Brian knew how Nick loved to coat his macaroni in ketchup.

.

.

.

Much later that night, Brian was stretched on the couch with Justin's feet on his lap. Justin was lounged on the length of the couch, eating his third helping from the cake.

“I take it, you like the cake,” Brian said teasingly.

“It’s fucking orgasmic. I don’t think I’ve tasted such heaven in my life.”

Brian stroked Justin's calf absently. “I can talk to Jackson about helping with our wedding cake.”

“This is exactly what I want for our wedding cake,” Justin said around his fork. “So you are friends with the owner of a bakery? Why didn’t I know this?”

“It never came up in conversation?” Brian answered, amused.

“Okay, you have to introduce us.” Justin licked at his fork, moaning. He leaned closer to the coffee table to place his empty plate, before linking his fingers across his stomach. “I’m stuffed.”

Brian eyed him amazed. “I’m not sure how you had enough room for mac ‘n cheese, two rainbow cupcakes, and three generous pieces of that cake.”

“It’s a gift.”

“You better watch out, because I’m not into fat.”

“At the rate we fuck…I’ll burn all these calories by the time the night is over. That is, if I could move,” Justin said thoughtfully. “I never know when to stop when I taste something I really like,” he mumbled.

“My dick can attest to that,” Brian joked.

Justin kicked his leg half-heartedly. “I don’t think I overindulged in anything with you…well, until just now. But a few summers ago, Ethan and I took Nick to the park. There was cotton candy. We got three huge ones. And I mean…HUGE…like twice the size of my head.” Justin rubbed his stomach, closing his eyes. “I more or less inhaled mine, then took Ethan’s because he wasn’t that big of a fan. And it turned out Nick didn’t like it, either. You have no idea the sugar high I had after that, or the stomach pain.”

“I can only imagine. I feel sick only watching how much you’ve eaten tonight,” Brian admitted.

“It was the best surprise.” Justin crawled up the couch and sat across Brian's lap. “Happy Valentine’s Day, Brian.”

Brian kissed him soundly, stroking his back. “I love you today, and I love you every fucking day.”

“For eternity,” Justin supplied, kissing down Brian's neck. “Make love to me. Gently,” he whispered in Brian's ear.

“Are you sure? You won’t get sick?”

“No,” Justin protested. “But gently,” he insisted.

Brian laughed, pulling him up and leading him toward their bedroom.

 

 

Chapter 50 by addict_writer

 

 

Brian stood stoically beside Justin, with a hand on his shoulder. He loathed being unable to do anything. He had expected for Justin to want to visit the cemetery in New York, but for Justin to break down in loud sobs when Nick hugged the cold stone with Ethan’s name engraved to it…

Suddenly, Justin was into Brian's arms, throwing his arms around him.

“Shh.” Brian rubbed his back over his winter coat. “Try to calm down. I think Nick needs you there right now.”

Justin took a few shaky breaths, pulling away from Brian, and going to kneel next to his son. He hugged Nick against his chest, rocking him back and forth.

Brian allowed them a moment alone, while he took several steps away from the grave. He lit himself a cigarette, staring at Justin and Nick, crying and whispering to each other. They looked so small and fragile in that moment.

Justin had told Brian multiple times that he wasn’t sure how he would have gone on if he had stayed in New York, and Brian understood him for the first time.

Brian tilted his head toward the sky, mouthing, “Thank you.” He wasn’t sure if the words were for whatever God was there, or for Ian himself who had sent Justin back to him with his violent death.

Brian startled when something wet touched his hand. He looked down to see Nick’s dirt-covered hand clutching his.

“Daddy said to wait in the car,” Nick said somberly.

With one last, worried look at Justin, Brian led Nick to the rented car. “How are you holding up, buddy?”

“I still miss Pappy, but I understand.” A sob caught in his throat, and Brian stopped to crouch at Nick’s side and hug him tightly. “Thank you, Brian.”

“What for?” Brian pulled back enough to look into Nick’s blue eyes.

“For helping me and Daddy. For making Daddy happy. For…being the bestest dad in the world.”

Brian felt tears in his eyes, and he wasn’t sure why he felt so emotional. “I’m sure Justin will be upset to hear I’m the bestest,” he said, using Nick’s incorrect appellative. “But I know what you mean,” he added, kissing the top of Nick’s head. “Come on. It’s cold outside.”

Once Nick was seated in the back of the rented sedan, Brian leaned against the front of the car, lighting himself another cigarette. He smoked slowly, staring at the cemetery gate until Justin stepped through it.

Justin blew his nose, before he wiped his eyes, as he made his way toward the car with his shoulders slumped.

“Let’s get out of here,” he said to Brian, opening the back door to sit next to his son since the car didn’t have a special seat for children.

Brian finished his cigarette and joined them in the car. He glanced at them through the rearview mirror, huddled into each other.

“Where to?” Brian asked, starting the engine and blasting hot air.

“The hotel,” Justin said softly.

“I’m hungry,” Nick announced.

“We’ll go to that restaurant near the hotel,” Justin told Brian. “Actually, you can go with Brian. I’m not hungry.”

“Are you sure?” Brian checked.

“I only want a hot shower and…I’m not hungry.”

Brian nodded, not going to push him. This was Justin's way of coping with pain. They would talk at some point.

“I might call Alex,” Justin said after a while.

Alex Wilder was Brian's old friend and the therapist who had helped him with pointers on how to deal with Justin after the bashing. Brian had given Justin the number of his friend, but Justin hadn’t said anything about talking to him…until then.

“Okay,” Brian agreed. “Anything you might want to eat later?”

“No, thank you.”

.

.

.

“You have to keep this a secret, Nick,” Brian said seriously, as he chewed on some fries from Nick’s menu. He had caved to Nick’s wet eyes when he begged for KFC.

“Of course. It will be our secret, Brian.” Nick slurped from his drink, keeping his eyes on Brian. “Do you think Pappy is upset now that we have you?”

Brian hadn’t expected such a deep question. “Well…” He had to choose his words carefully, because Nick shouldn’t know about the mutual dislike between him and Ian. “I would like to think he is happy to see you and Justin are happy. I mean, if you love someone and you indirectly caused him pain, you would be happy to see he was happy.” Brian winced, wondering if he could use the word ‘happy’ more without sounding like a tool.

“But I told you, Brian. Daddy and Pappy used to fight about you.”

Brian palmed his face. “Trust me, Nick. He better be grateful I did everything in my power to take care of both of you and make sure you left behind the past.”

Nick’s tears slipped from his eyes, as he snuggled into Brian's side. “I don’t want to forget Pappy. I can’t remember his voice.”

“Shhh.” Brian rubbed the boy’s back, squeezing him tightly. “I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I know,” Nick whispered. “I was right…I will forget Pappy.”

“No, you won’t. Nick, look at me.” Brian tilted his head. “You won’t forget Ethan. Now…are you done here? I’d like to go back and check on your dad. I haven’t seen him so distressed in a while.”

Nick nodded somberly, and after trashing the leftovers on their tray, they returned to the hotel. Nick was tired, and Brian offered to carry him, which ended up with Nick fast asleep in his arms.

When Brian stepped into the hotel room, he was greeted by silence. He had expected to find Justin crying, or on the phone with Alex, like he had said.

After placing Nick on the bed and covering his slumbering body with a blanket, Brian took his phone out to call Justin. But his eyes fell on a paper on the nightstand.

I’m out. Don’t call. I need some time alone.

Brian sighed loudly, because he hadn’t thought about what might happen on this particular day. He had believed Justin was better, but he was still hurt. And in true Justin fashion, he wasn’t accepting help.

Brian took Nick’s boots off, along with his winter clothes. The sleepy boy was barely cooperating, but once he was in his jammies, he snuggled under the blanket, falling right back asleep.

Brian threw himself in the chair by the window, glaring at the cloudy sky. He absolutely hated Ian. He had fucked up Brian's life in the past, and he kept messing with him and Justin long after he was gone.

It was dark outside when the door opened softly.

Brian turned to see Justin taking his boots off, before throwing his coat and scarf on a chair. He stopped at the foot of the bed, then looked around, almost panicked. Brian rolled his eyes, because it was obvious Justin believed Brian had somehow left the room.

When their eyes met in the dark room, Justin tilted his head toward the bathroom, heading there silently.

Brian followed him, amused. He flipped the light on, since Justin hadn’t bothered, but all his teasing about memories regrading following tricks to the Backroom died on his lips. Justin's eyes were puffy and red, and he looked about to start crying again.

Without hesitating, Brian took him in his arms, and Justin started sobbing earnestly. Brian didn’t try to stop him, because he could tell Justin had to get it out of his system…all the anguish and all the memories still holding him tied to the fiddler.

“I don’t deserve you,” Justin mumbled, after what felt like hours.

“Are you feeling better?” Brian checked, pulling away slightly to search Justin's wet, blue eyes.

“Yeah. I’m sorry I broke down like that…”

“Fuck apologies.” Brian pulled him close again, stroking his hair. “I might never understand how much you cared for him, but I accept it. And I’m here, if you want to talk about it.”

“No, no. I’m all good. I promise this is the last time I’m crying over him.”

Brian sincerely doubted it, but held Justin against his chest, swaying them on the spot.

“Was Nick upset I didn’t join you for lunch?”

“Nah. We also had a chat where I had to reassure him that Ian was happy to know both you and Nick were happy. Because Nick was worried whether or not his pappy accepted you had found happiness.”

“Jesus.” Justin pulled away, and grabbed a wad of toilet paper to blow his nose.

“He wouldn’t have these problems if he hadn’t heard you fighting about me, you know.”

“Don’t start,” Justin said softly. “I wasn’t even aware Nick heard us…or understood us, more accurately.”

“Well, he did. Like he hears us arguing, and we have to explain we aren’t going to break up just because we had a silly fight.”

Justin snorted. “I keep telling him to not worry about our fights. Fuck, I doubt I could have a life with you if we didn’t have an argument every other day.” He pointed a finger at Brian, the ghost of a smile on his lips. “Don’t say I’m a twat.”

Brian touched his heart theatrically. “I would never insult you like that, Sunshine.”

Then they both started laughing.

“What are you guys doing in the bathroom?” Nick asked loudly, opening the door.

“What happened to knocking?” Justin gasped, throwing the toilet paper in the trashcan, after wiping his nose one last time.

“I heard you talking in here for a while. I have to poop really bad.”

“Oh, all yours.” Justin waved to the toilet. He made to steer them out of the bathroom, with a smile.

“Brian knotted the string for my jammies really tight,” Nick whined.

“Come here,” Brian said, amused, crouching to undo the knot. “There you go.”

Justin threw himself on the bed, while Brian flipped the light on in the room. He took his laptop out of his bag.

“Don’t tell me, you want to work,” Justin complained.

“I have to check my emails. It won’t take long.”

“I need more toilet paper,” Nick shouted from the bathroom.

“I hope there’s another roll in there somewhere,” Justin muttered, going to assist his son.

Brian sat in the chair by the window, scrolling through his email inbox. It seemed Ted had outdone himself, and they had a deal with the sex toys company. Brian read through the lengthy email sent by the manager, praising Brian's agency and how he couldn’t wait to see what the graphic artists came up with regarding his campaign.

Brian decided to call Ted, when Justin and Nick returned. They turned the TV on, finding a documentary channel running a show about animals.

“Congrats,” Brian said, chuckling, when Ted answered.

“Oh, you saw the email?”

“Yeah, I’m impressed. He didn’t believe we could do his company justice. Like, making ads for the internet is different than making ads for TV,” Brian said, rolling his eyes.

“I’ll have you know Thompson was so impressed, he left samples. You have a box of toys on your desk.”

“For me? He shouldn’t have,” Brian said sarcastically. His comment got Justin's attention, who turned to lift a brow at him. Brian shook his head. “Take whatever you want from them. I’ve stopped playing with toys ages ago.”

Ted laughed nervously. “I might have mentioned, at some point, how I got thirty-three dildos on my thirty-third birthday. The man was impressed. He said he would be happy to supply us with as many as needed for our next birthdays.”

“We have to aim high. Ask him for fifty free-of-charge fake dicks. See if he holds his end of bargain.”

“I’m turning forty-nine in August.”

“Whatever. He doesn’t have to know.”

“I’d rather not see anything fifty related for another year. Blake is already asking me if I need a prostate massage,” Ted groaned.

“Ah, I told you, having a younger partner will bite you in the ass. Quite literally.” Brian closed the laptop, placing it on the nightstand.

“You’re one to talk? Blake is only nine years younger than me.”

“Shut up,” Brian scoffed, giving Justin a tight smile, when he saw him watching him intrigued. “Anyway, I just forwarded you an email. Brad wants a meeting. He’s the guy I almost fired Damian over.”

“I heard. I’ll check the email tomorrow. I just got home, and Blake is giving me the stink eye because the food is getting cold.”

“Okay, okay. Call me, first thing tomorrow morning. I have to walk you through everything I talked to Brad on Monday. I’m still surprised he wants to work with us.”

“You must have impressed him,” Ted joked.

“Probably. Enjoy your prostate massage.”

“Fuck you, Brian,” Ted muttered without any malice in his voice.

Brian laughed, hanging up.

“What?” Justin mouthed, keeping his hands over Nick’s ears.

“I’ll tell you another time.” Brian joined them on the bed, lounging to lay next to Nick, who was watching the TV screen intently. “What are you watching?”

Nick shrugged. “That tiger is chasing the deer.”

 

“It’s an antelope,” Justin explained, stroking Nick’s back.

Chapter 51 by addict_writer

 

 

It was several weeks later when Brian picked Nick from school, then went to collect Justin from the gallery where he was preparing a show.

Justin complained loudly about being taken away from organizing his paintings which would be displayed that weekend.

Brian ignored him, keeping his attention on driving.

“Where are we going?” Justin asked suddenly, when he noticed the unknown route Brian had taken.

“It’s called a surprise.”

After touching the subject of what dog would Nick like, and getting the same answer…just a dog, and after thinking of what breed would be best for them, Brian had found a few options at the biggest adoption center in Pittsburgh.

He had spent only a few minutes on their website, because it was heartbreaking to look at the sad dogs, expecting to find a forever home.

He had his eyes on a Shepherd, but it would be Nick who chose the dog.

“WOW!” Nick cried out when they stopped at the gates of the vast property. “We’re getting the D!”

Justin covered his face, and Brian chuckled. “Isn’t this what you’ve been asking for about a year now?” Brian asked, unbuckling his seat belt.

“Yessss!” Nick wrapped his little arms around Brian's neck, nearly toppling over between the front seats. “You’re the best dad!”

“What the fuck am I here? Chopped meat?” Justin huffed.

Nick peppered kisses on Brian's cheek, squeezing him tightly. “You wouldn’t get me a dog. Brian did.”

Justin gasped, throwing his hands in the air.

“That’s not true, Nick. Remember how we all discussed this?” Brian said gently, not sure if Justin was indeed upset.

“Can we go inside?” Nick asked, excitedly.

They piled out of the car. Nick skipped ahead of them, and Brian wrapped an arm around Justin's shoulders.

“Is this such a good idea, Brian? We decided to wait on the horses because of the wedding.”

“Yeah, well…after our chats with Nick regarding the D-Thing, I got so invested I’ve been researching a lot of shit on dogs.”

Justin smiled warmly, taking his hand. “I can’t believe Brian Kinney is willingly getting a dog.”

“Shut up, you. Here’s my promise to you – I will help with everything regarding the dog. You won’t do it on your own.”

“Let me get my phone out and record you,” Justin joked.

“Don’t be a twat.”

They reached the reception area, and after talking to the young man about the reason behind their visit, they were led to a vast room filled with large crates. The man explained how all crates had a back door which led to the yard outside, but at the moment, all dogs were inside, because it was dinner time.

Nick ran from crate window to crate window, staring inside at the different breeds.

Brian and Justin walked several feet behind him, looking around, but they allowed Nick to be the one to choose.

The caretaker waited for them to make a few rounds of the room.

“Well, do you like any of them?” Justin asked, watching a sad, old dog inside the crate to his left.

“We also have a few puppies,” the caretaker said, waving to a side of the room they hadn’t gone to.

“Puppies!” Nick barreled in that direction.

Justin grimaced, and Brian squeezed his hand. “I think it’s best if it’s a puppy. They’ll grow up together,” Brian suggested.

“It’s not that. It’s…someone threw away goddamn puppies. That should be a crime,” Justin mumbled.

They found Nick glued to a crate window, staring in awe at a black orb of fur. “This,” he whispered. “This one.”

“That’s not a puppy,” Brian complained.

“It is,” the caretakers joined them. “It’s a Newfoundland dog. This fellow is about four months old male. His previous owner got him when he was barely two months old, which is clearly illegal. When he realized how big the puppy was getting…he brought him here.”

“Newfoundland,” Justin repeated. “These dogs are like bears, right?”

“Yes,” the caretaker nodded. “So, please think twice before you agree to something like this. We’d hate to see him returning here in a few weeks. It’s happened before with other dogs.”

“If Nick wants this dog…” Brian shrugged.

Justin turned to stare at him in horror. “This thing will be bigger than you when he reaches maturity.”

“I know, Justin.” Brian stepped closer to Nick who was tapping the glass while the puppy licked it from the inside. “Do you like this one, Nick?”

“Yes. Can we get him? Please?” Nick spun to look at his daddy. “Please, Daddy.”

Justin sighed loudly. “Oh, what the hell. Can we see him closer?” He turned to the caretaker.

The man brought over a slip lead, then opened a side door and coaxed the dog out. After having the lead over his head, he brought him closer.

Nick fell to his knee, petting the dog enthusiastically, and the dog sniffed him before licking his cheek.

“Aw, look, Daddy. He likes me.”

“I guess, we’re taking him,” Brian said quietly. He joined Nick and the dog, reaching out to stroke the puppy’s black fur. It felt tangled up at touch, but he could bet no one had cared for the poor thing to groom him.

“So, do you have a name for him?” Justin crouched on Nick’s other side, allowing the puppy to sniff his hand.

“Tank.”

“Tank?” Justin repeated.

“He’s big like a tank,” Nick said seriously.

“Honey, he’ll get a lot bigger. Tank is a good name,” Justin agreed.

To prove that Tank was a big dog, he raised on his back legs and reached up to lick Justin's face. He was already taller than Nick.

“Okay, so we’re taking…Tank,” Brian said, looking at the caretaker.

The man smiled brightly. “I rarely see such a united family who comes to adopt. I’m sure he’ll be happy in your family.”

“Thank you,” Brian said, wrapping an arm around Nick’s shoulders.

Justin placed the end of the slip lead into his son’s hand. “Take him, baby. Just hold tightly.”

“Don’t worry about his pulling or anything. He’s such a chill dog,” the caretaker said, walking them back to the reception area.

Tank walked besides Nick, sniffing at the ground and wagging his tail. Brian smiled at the picture. He imagined the dog could smell his freedom.

After signing adoption papers, they left the place.

Tank stopped right outside the gates, squatting down, and Nick stared at him, worried.

“We’re going home. Don’t be scared,” he told the dog, as if the animal understood.

Brian realized, they had to have a chat with Nick about Tank being a dog who wouldn’t understand his human talk, apart from some firm orders used in training him.

“He’s peeing,” Justin stated. “I guess he’s still too young to lift his leg.”

Brian noticed a considerable puddle under the dog. “Uh, there’s a blanket in the trunk. Please put it on the floor in the back.”

Justin rolled his eyes, but did as Brian said. Then Justin held the door open, guiding the dog inside.

It took him a few tries to jump, but then he curled on the soft blanket, turning into a black orb. Nick climbed after him, smiling brightly at the puppy.

Justin closed the door, turning to look at Brian, pursing his lips. “You’re such a softie.”

“Shut up. I’m trying not to envision how I will step on him during the night.”

“Why would you do something like that?” Justin gasped.

“Because he’s a black void,” Brian pointed out.

“That’s so mean…and so racist.”

“It’s a dog, Justin. But I could tell you about the time I fucked this man at the White Party some years ago. His skin was so dark, I was grateful for the fluorescent paint on his body, or I wouldn’t have found his ass in the darkness.”

Justin slapped Brian's arm. “Why am I friends with you, again?”

“You’re more than my friend. We’re getting married,” Brian said, jovially.

“For unknown reasons,” Justin grinned, bringing Brian's head closer to kiss him.

“We have to stop at the pet store and get him food, toys, the usual.”

“How about a vet trip first? I don’t know anything about dogs…especially this giant breed.”

“You’re in luck. I’m a step ahead of you. I already made an appointment for six o’clock.” Brian checked his phone. “Which is in fifteen minutes, so we better hurry.”

Justin opened the passenger door, smiling. “So you were sure we were getting a dog today?”

“Pretty sure, yeah.” Brian pecked his lips, before round the car to get behind the wheel. He glanced back to see Nick leaning down to pet the puppy. Like Brian had feared, he couldn’t even see the thing.

.

.

.

It was late in the evening when they arrived home, after visiting the vet and the pet store.

Nick disappeared into the living room with Tank, while Justin and Brian unloaded their purchases in the kitchen. Brian dumped the large food bag by the pantry, cracking his back and wincing.

“I told you to let me help,” Justin said anxiously. “Did you hurt yourself?”

“No. I’m not some old fart.”

“Brian, that bag is huge…and it will probably last less than a month.” Justin took out the new set of bowls, taking them to the sink to wash them.

“I can handle it. I press more than that at the gym,” Brian reminded him. “We need to set some rules now, before it’s too late.”

“Like what?” Justin pulled up his sleeves so he could clean the bowls.

“Not allowing the dog in bed, or in our rooms?”

“Okay, the rule about the bed is good. Also, maybe not on the couch, either.” Justin glanced at Brian over his shoulder. “I don’t think you can keep him out of Nick’s room. We can even place one of the beds we got him at the foot of Nick’s bed. You know? To show them how they each have a place to sleep together.”

“That’s not a bad idea.”

“Uh-huh! We have a problem,” Nick said urgently, running into the kitchen.

“If he peed on the carpet…” Brian stomped toward the living room.

“What happened?” Justin asked, worried. He followed his son, not sure what to expect in the living room.

He found Brian holding the puppy in the blanket they kept on the couch. They were by the fireplace. The carpet was filled ash dirt.

“It’s bath time,” Brian muttered.

“What happened?” Justin repeated, staring at the carpet. He had no idea how to clean that mess.

“Tank went to sniff at the fireplace, then jumped inside and rolled around,” Nick explained.

“Christ. Let’s help Brian clean Tank.”

They used the shower cabin downstairs, and Tank proved to accept his fate easier than anyone expected.

“I’m going to call Mom and ask how to clean the carpet,” Justin offered, when he realized Brian had the dog’s bath under control.

“Roll it up. I’ll take it to the cleaning store on Monday,” Brian said. “But we need some towels to dry Tank.”

“Get the blue towels from the linen cabinet,” Justin instructed Nick. Justin was happy to finally find a good use to those terrible towels he had gotten the other month. They felt all wrong on the skin and he generally hated them, but he hadn’t trashed them.

After taking the rolled-up carpet into the garage, Justin found Brian in the kitchen with Nick and Tank. Brian was showing Nick how much food Tank needed, as per the instructions on the bag.

Brian filled one of the bowls with kibble, then walked around the kitchen, looking for a good spot to place the bowl.

Justin stifled his laughter when the puppy followed him, staring at the bowl, yapping loudly when Brian didn’t seem to put the bowl down fast enough. Brian shot the dog an annoyed look, then placed the food by the door leading to the porch.

Tank dove into the bowl, chewing happily.

Justin brought over the other bowl filled with fresh water.

Nick sat down next to Tank, watching him eating.

“How about we eat something too?” Justin suggested.

“Nothing for me,” Brian said softly. “I’m going to change out of these wet clothes.”

Justin realized only then that Brian was still dressed in his designer suit. He had washed the puppy wearing Armani, which said a lot about the whole thing.

“You sure?” Justin insisted.

“Yeah. I had a late lunch with a client.”

“Okay.” Justin reached over to touch the small of Brian's back. “Nick, come on. Let the dog eat. We have to change out of the outside clothes, as well, and then it’s dinner time.”

.

.

.

It was much later, when Justin made it to their bedroom.

It had taken a lot of convincing on his side to get Nick to understand that Tank had fallen asleep in his pet bed in the living room. Brian had insisted on buy three beds for the dog, and they weren’t exactly cheap. Good thing was the dog loved the one he had discovered installed by the fireplace.

Justin made sure to close the gate to the fireplace, hoping the dog would learn that was not a place to play in again.

He found Brian on his laptop, with all the pillows behind his back.

“Is your back hurting?” Justin asked softly.

“I’ll be fine. I took a Tylenol earlier.”

“I could rub your back,” Justin offered on his way to the bathroom.

After a quick shower, he applied some of Brian's face cream on his chin and nose, then returned to the bedroom, rubbing the cream on his skin.

“Get this,” Brian said conversantly. “Average weight is between one-hundred-thirty and one-hundred-fifty…almost as heavy as you.”

Justin smiled, climbing in bed next to Brian. “I can’t believe you’re researching Newfoundland dogs.”

“We have one now. They’re widely known as Newfies, since the full name is a fucking mouthful. Better to know what to expect. It’s a good thing they’re very good with children and affectionate with family. They’re also lazy as fuck, according to this website.”

Justin pressed his lips to Brian's throat. “I love you.”

Brian placed the laptop on the nightstand, guiding Justin's head lower. “I’m sure you can find other ways to thank me.”

“Don’t be an asshole,” Justin said against Brian's shoulder, placing soft kisses on his skin.

“Also, we should watch his calories. I was just reading how this breed tends to gain fast.”

“A thing you have in common,” Justin chuckled.

“Now that the weather is nicer, I might start jogging. Maybe I’ll take him with me.”

“Thank you…for accepting this and for actually getting a dog for Nick.”

“Come on, Justin. It could have been worse, but since I’ve embraced this domestic life, I understood the importance of a dog in a family’s life,” Brian said, combing his fingers through Justin's wet locks.

“You’re so full of shit. You just got tired of hearing Nick whining about the D-Thing.”

Brian pursed his lips. “My D is hard. You’ve got to be kidding,” he groaned, when the puppy started yapping loudly.

Justin nearly fell out of the bed, as he hurried to get out of the room and downstairs before the dog could wake Nick. Sadly, Nick was already in his doorway, when Justin opened the door of their bedroom.

“What’s wrong, Daddy?” he asked, sleepily.

“He’s probably not used to sleep alone. Go back to bed.” Justin went downstairs to find the dog had climbed several steps. He waved his tail eagerly when he spotted Justin. “Come here, you big fluff.”

Justin took Tank in their bedroom, surprised to see Nick had listened and was back in his bed.

“What are you doing with the dog in here?” Brian demanded.

“He’s not used to sleep alone.” Justin placed the dog on the carpet at the foot of the bed, petting his head. “Now, where were we?” He climbed on top of Brian.

“I can’t fuck with him staring at me.” Brian pointed to the dog, peeking curiously at them. His front paws were on the edge of the mattress to see them better.

Justin flopped on his back. “Cockblocked by a dog.”

“You brought him in here, Justin.”

“Good night.”

“Thanks for giving me the worst case of blue balls,” Brian muttered.

“You’re the one who said no.” Justin glanced at the dog, but he wasn’t visible anymore. “See? He’s no longer looking.”

Brian rolled on top of Justin. “This better be a one-time thing. I won’t give him a free show every night.” Brian took the tube of lube from the nightstand, making Justin laugh.

 

 

 

Chapter 52 by addict_writer

 

 

Brian was nursing a monster of a headache while deciding whether or not it was a good decision to hop on the first plane to Chicago and fire everyone in that branch after they had fucked up Brown’s latest ad.

Emmett chose that moment to barge into his office, holding a suit bag and a large coffee cup.

“Since you won’t move your ass for suit fitting, I brought the goddamn thing to you. Justin also insisted I should bring you a latte, because you might need it.”

“What a thoughtful twat. I don’t need suit fitting. I haven’t put any weight since last month when we decided what we were getting. I might have lost some due to stress,” Brian snapped. “Give me that coffee.”

He went over and snatched the cup from Emmett's hand.

“All the more reason. Come on. It will take fifteen minutes, tops.” Emmett placed the suit bag on the back of the chair in front of Brian's desk. “And before I forget, I couldn’t get a hold of the band I use for weddings. They’re not in the country.”

“I told you…just find some DJ, or I’ll bring Chuck. It can’t be much different than putting music in Babylon.”

“This is your wedding, Brian,” Emmett gasped. He came closer and started undoing Brian's tie, then worked on unbuttoning his shirt.

“What the fuck, Honeycutt?”

“Suit fitting.”

Brian wrenched away, spilling coffee on his shirt. “Fuck. Awesome.”

“I’m sorry, Brian. I don’t have all day. I have a diamond anniversary meeting at two.”

“Go to your geriatrics, and leave me alone. I’m busy,” Brian spat, rearranging his tie. “And take the fucking suit with you.”

“I don’t know what’s with this lovely attitude, but you better watch out. You barely got involved in the preparations for your wedding. Justin keeps finding excuses for you, but I don’t like it.”

“I have to run a company full of incompetents. I don’t need the added stress.” Brian snatched the suit bag and stuffed it into Emmett's arms. “And don’t get me started on not getting involved. I fucking helped, and you know it.”

Emmett held his head high, and Brian admired him for that. Emmett could stand tall against the worst of storms.

“Justin deserves a statue for putting up with your shit on a daily basis.”

Emmett stormed out of his office, nearly colliding with Ted, who was coming to Brian with a stack of papers.

“What was that?” Ted asked anxiously.

“As if you aren’t used to Emmett's theatrics.” Brian focused on dabbing at the coffee stain on his shirt with a paper tissue. “What have you got there?”

“Oh, these? Nothing of your concern.” Ted dismissed him with a hand. “I heard Emmett's voice, and I was curious what was going on.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “Well, now that you satisfied your curiosity, better go back to your office.”

Once he was alone, Brian threw the tissues in the trash, scowling at his shirt. He picked at a few dark hairs from the dog, trashing them, before he grabbed his phone.

It was better for Justin to hear it from him, and not Emmett, about how uncooperative he had been.

“My busy, big, big man,” Justin answered teasingly.

“Fuck. Honeycutt got to you already?”

“Of course, we just hung up. I tried to stop him from coming to Kinnetik, but he was on a mission.”

“It was mission impossible, because I kicked him out.” Brian picked his coffee. “Thanks for the coffee.”

“Don’t mention it. Everything okay? You left in the hurry this morning.”

“That’s the thing…I might have to fly to Chicago tonight. My team over there probably thinks I’m the best at licking Brown’s ass. They fucked up a nation-wide campaign about sports clothes.”

“Shit. Well, if anyone is good at rim jobs, it’s you,” Justin said cheerfully.

“I don’t think Brown is interested in the same kind of rim jobs as you, Sunshine.”

“Straight men…they have no idea what they’re missing out.”

Brian laughed, relaxing for the first time since he had heard about what his Chicago team had done. “So, don’t wait up for me.”

“You plan on returning tonight?” Justin asked, surprised.

“We’ll see. I have to call Leo and ask when he’s available, but I’d like to be done with this shit the sooner the better.”

“Sure. Just don’t step on the dog if you return in the middle of the night.”

“It happened once. I couldn’t have known he was sleeping on the first step. Did I mention he’s a blob of void?”

“You’re mean. He’s such a good dog.”

“Yeah, he is,” Brian agreed.

“Good luck rimming Brown,” Justin joked.

“Thanks.”

After hanging up, Brian downed the rest of the coffee, before going to Cynthia. He found her on the phone, and she held a finger up.

“Can I help?” Damian asked from behind his computer.

“Yeah, get me another Tylenol.”

“That was Jane, saying Mr. Brown is fuming.” Cynthia got up, “Expect a call from him.”

She barely had the words out, when Brian's phone started ringing. “Get me a plane ticket to Chicago for this evening. Tell Damian to bring my pill into my office,” Brian instructed, accepting his client’s call. “Leo, thank you for returning my call.”

“I’m moments away from ripping our contract, Brian.”

“Please, don’t do anything hasty,” Brian insisted. He intercepted Damian and took the Tylenol bottle from his hand, before locking himself in his office. “I’m coming over as soon as Cynthia finds me a plane ticket.”

“Do you think these sports clothes are a joke? I have never seen anything more denigrating than what your team has come up with.”

“It was my mistake, Leo. I allowed Kurt to deal with the campaign on his own.” Brian realized in that moment that branching out might not have been his best move.

“I’m sorry, Brian. I need a rough idea of how you’ll make it better. This ad is set to start rolling in two weeks.”

“I know. I’ll have something for you.”

“Call me when you land.” Leo hung up, huffing.

“Fuck.” Brian kicked a chair with all his might. He stormed out of his office. “I need Paul in my office,” he shouted in the hallway.

Amy peeked out of the Art Department room, staring slightly scared at him. “Paul is home with the flu.”

“Okay. Paul is fired. What are you working on?” Brian barked, advancing toward her.

“Uh…I…I’m…the coffee shop.”

“Fuck the coffee shop. I need fresh mock-ups for Brown Athletics before I leave the office. Call Kurt to send you what he has.”

Amy nodded fearfully, and Brian hoped he hadn’t scared her into resigning. He couldn’t remember the last time he had been on the brink of losing his mind.

Cynthia was in his office when he returned. “I got you the plane at seven-fifteen.”

“Nothing earlier?” Brian groaned, throwing a Tylenol in his mouth and washing it a glass of water.

“There’s one at two-fifty, but you’ll never make it,” she reasoned.

“Get two tickets. Amy, pack your shit. We’re going to Chicago,” Brian shouted in her direction.

“Brian…”

“I don’t have time to chit-chat, Cynthia. Email me the tickets.” He picked his suit jacket and briefcase, meeting a stunned Amy in the hallway. She had her tablet in her hand, her sweater over one of her elbows, and her backpack hanging from one of her shoulder. Her glasses were sliding down her nose, and most of her hair had escaped the bun.

“Come on.” Brian picked the tablet from her hand.

In the car, Brian was pleased he had taken the Corvette, and he kept his foot pressed to the acceleration until they reached the airport.

They had just arrived at the check-in area when Cynthia sent him the email with the plane tickets. As they passed the scanners, Amy realized she had forgotten her phone, and Brian felt awful for hurrying her.

“If you want to call your husband, you can use my phone. Only once, because I don’t have a charger,” Brian said, laughing.

Amy managed a small smile. “I texted him that I might stay after hours today, so he shouldn’t worry…much.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “After we meet with Brown, I’ll buy a charger. We can call home and tell them we’re going out to celebrate winning over our best account.”

They caught the plane right on time, and Brian allowed her to take the window seat.

They worked on the mock-up during the flight, and Brian had to admit that Amy’s idea was better than anything Kurt could have come up with.

In the cab, on the way to Brown’s office, Amy shifted nervously.

“I know this is not the best time, but Mike is going to be deported to Chicago. I’ve been plucking the courage to ask you to move me to the Chicago branch for a week.”

Brian eyed her amused. “You might be in luck, because if this works out, you’re being promoted to Account Manager of the Chicago branch of Kinnetik.”

“Are you…”

“Crazy?” Brian laughed. “Right now, I’m losing my mind. Trust me, Amy, after this evening, we will be best friends.”

She laughed nervously. “I know what this account means to you. I hope we can salvage the situation.”

Brian winked, and helped her out of the cab when they reached the modern building of Brown Athletics.

.

.

.

By the end of the night, they impressed the pants off Brown, who even decided to renew his contract with Brian for ten years.

With the last of his phone’s battery life, he called Ted to draw up all necessary documents for Amy’s promotion and relocating her in Chicago.

They celebrated with champagne in the plane on their way back to Pittsburgh.

Brian drove Amy home, even chatted with her husband who had come to get from the car. Brian explained why he had to steal his wife and bring her back in the wee hours of the morning.

When Brian finally made it home, he was careful not to step on Tank who was fast asleep in the kitchen, next to the fridge. He grabbed a bottle of water and drank half of it, slowly making his way upstairs.

He was amused to find Nick snuggled into Justin's side, both of them sleeping.

Brian was quiet as he took a quick shower to wash away the grime of his long day.

When he got in bed, and glanced at his men, he choked on his spit when he saw Justin's eyes opened. Justin smiled softly.

“Hey,” he whispered.

“Hey.” Brian leaned over Nick’s body to kiss Justin. “I’ve still got the best rimming skills,” he said happily.

“I’m so happy to hear it all worked out. I hate it when you’re stressed because of work,” he said softly, taking Brian's hand. “And I had another talk with Emmett. We have to meet with him on Wednesday.”

“We’ll see about that. I might have to go back to Chicago and rip everyone a new one. In a twisted way, I’m glad this happened with Brown. He knows me, and he trusted me enough to come up with something good in a matter of hours. If it was anyone else…”

“Like my faithful client from New York, who understood why his painting was delayed when Nick thought it was one of my thinking canvas, and not something for a client.”

“I said I’m sorry,” Nick mumbled from between them. “Hi, Brian.”

Brian laughed, hugging him against his chest. “I haven’t see you so angry at Nick…well, ever,” he commented.

Justin shuddered. “Let’s get some sleep. I bet you’re tired.”

“You smell funny,” Nick rolled around to burrow into Justin's side.

Justin lifted a brow, and Brian shrugged. Justin leaned closer, taking a whiff, making Brian laugh.

“Did you stop by Woody’s to celebrate?”

“What? No! I had some champagne in the plane. Amy’s husband commented how we both smelled like a distillery.”

“He wasn’t wrong,” Justin chuckled.

“Whatever. Night.”

“Night.” Justin stroked his hair, smiling.

 

 

Chapter 53 by addict_writer

 

 

After spending the past six hours at the gallery, schmoozing with people, Justin was ready to go home. Justin had tried escaping the madness for hours, but he was kept there to meet everyone who had come for his paintings.

His friends had dropped by, but no one lingered for more than an hour before they went back to their lives.

After long debates, Justin and Brian had agreed for Brian to stay home with Nick, once he picked him up from school.

Despite Justin's initial complaints about this show being a fluke since the gallery owner chose to host it on a Wednesday, smack in the middle of the week, a lot of people had gathered to admire his paintings, and even buy some.

On his way home, he stopped at a seven-eleven. It was almost closing time, and Justin shot the boy at the cash register a smile, hurrying toward the area with sandwiches. He was famished, and thirsty as fuck.

All the sandwiches looked like they had been through a war, so he made his way to the snacks aisle. He heard someone coming from behind him, and he walked faster toward the last two Snickers bars.

Somehow, he and the person behind reached out for the chocolate at the same time.

Justin gripped the bars tightly, ready to tell the other man, he should try other sweets. But when he turned to face his Snickers thief, he froze, stumbling back.

“Fuck, Hobbs.”

“Justin,” he gasped. “I was ready to fight you for these.”

“Fuck.” Justin clutched at his heart. “I didn’t expect to see a familiar face. This is my food for today.”

“And your sister told me not to return without Snickers. Got room to host me for the night and explain why I left her all alone with a baby?”

Justin rolled his eyes, pushing the chocolate toward Hobbs’s chest. “Take them. I hope you aren’t after Pepsi, too.”

“Nah, all yours.”

“Guys, I’m closing in two minutes,” the clerk called loudly. “You better have cash.”

“Awesome,” Justin muttered, staring at his can of Pepsi sorrowfully.

“I’ve got cash. Come on, before he locks us in here,” Hobbs said, walking to the front of the store.

“Thanks,” Justin said under his breath, placing his soda on the counter.

The clerk moaned, when Hobbs handed him a twenty. “I don’t have change. I closed the cash register. Do you want a condom?”

“What happened to giving candy instead of change?” Justin asked, laughing.

“No. Keep the change,” Hobbs said, snatching his purchases.

Justin took his Pepsi, and went after him. “This is the price you pay for shopping on Liberty Avenue at this time of night,” he said, amused.

“This was the closest store open at this time of night,” Hobbs retorted.

“How’s Molly? I kept promising to visit, but I was busy with my show and don’t get me started on the wedding preparations.”

“Oh, it was tonight. Molly said we should come by, but then she fell asleep after feeding Oliver.”

“Of course. Tell her, it’s fine. I remember how it is to have a newborn.” Justin opened his can of Pepsi, spraying himself in half of the contents. “This is not my day.”

“Uh, thanks for the Snickers. I’ll tell Molly what a generous big brother she has.”

“Better tell her, she owes me some Snickers.” Justin fished the keys for the Corvette from his pocket. “Bye!”

He got in the car, exhaling loudly. He hated how shaken he was after the ran-in with Hobbs. Maybe Brian had been right about accepting him in their lives would inevitably bring bad memories, but Justin was selfless. He wanted his sister to be happy, and it wasn’t like he saw much of her husband.

As Justin started driving, he noticed Hobbs was walking alongside the car, and he honked. Justin tried not to laugh at how Hobbs winced, checking the car on idle beside him.

“Can I give you a lift?”

After a moment’s hesitance, Hobbs got in the car. “I didn’t mind walking.”

A drag queen leaned over Justin's open window, making him jump, startled. “You can do so much better, sweetie.”

“Thanks for the advice,” he snorted. “Now, back off. I’d hate to hurt you.” He revved the engine, and the drag queen stepped back.

“This is a good reminder not to come on Liberty Avenue at night.” Hobbs shook his head.

“It’s not usually so bad. I don’t know what the fuck happened today.” Justin crawled through the crowd, honking loudly.

“Maybe it’s because they legalized gay marriages.”

Justin stopped the car in time to not run into a couple holding tiny pride flags and kissing. He turned to stare in shock at Hobbs.

“I take it, you didn’t know.”

“Well…no one told me. But it makes sense why Emmett was so much more excited about our nuptials.” Justin leaned out his window. “Guuuyysss, I have to pass, sorry.” He told the couple, now getting comfortable on the hood of his car.

It took a while to get off Liberty Avenue and turn several streets until he reached the house where Hobbs and his sister lived.

“Thanks for the lift.”

“Say ‘hi’ to Molly for me.”

Justin drove home, mulling over the news he just got. He parked behind the Jeep, and stepped inside the house carefully.

It had taken several accidents for both him and Brian to learn to take small steps if they arrived home after dark. They risked cracking their heads if they stumbled over the dog, these days.

Justin was surprised to find Brian in the kitchen. He was at his laptop, typing furiously, with the present he got shortly after his forty-sixth birthday on his nose. Brian detested the glasses, and Justin had run out of words to tell him how hot he was with them.

“Hey, honey! I’m home,” Justin said, grinning.

Brian glanced his eyes, his brows furrowing in the middle of his forehead. “Hey.” He returned his attention to his laptop.

Justin tugged at his tie, taking his suit jacket off, as he walked to Brian. “Everything okay?”

“Yes.” Brian closed the lid of his laptop and placed his reading glasses on top of it, before turning to face Justin and hug him.

“So, did you hear?” Justin run his fingers through Brian's hair, smiling down at him.

“I tried telling you earlier, but you dismissed me, telling me to have fun with Nick.”

“I’m sorry. I lived in a bubble the whole day with my show. Emmett dropped by and he was excited about us being his first real wedding. I didn’t understand what he meant, and I didn’t have the time to stay and ask.”

“So, how was the show?” Brian palmed Justin's ass, squeezing his cheeks.

“Draining. And I’m famished. I’ve learned my lesson and stayed away from the peanuts, and I didn’t like their finger food. Not like I had the time to sample it. Guess who I ran into at the seven-eleven off Liberty? I was there to grab Snickers and Pepsi.”

“The essentials,” Brian commented, rolling his eyes. He moved to unbuckle Justin's pants. “Who did you run into?”

“Hobbs. Molly had sent him after Snickers.”

“If anyone had any doubt you two were related…”

“Shut up. I had taken the last two bars. Before we figured out we knew each other, we were both ready to fight over the sweets.” Justin laughed, shaking his head. “Anyway, after the clerk offered us a condom because he didn’t have any change, I gave Hobbs a lift home. It took me about thirty minutes to make that ten minutes’ drive. The whole street was swarming with happy couples.”

“Oh, I guess everyone would be in the streets celebrating.”

“We could celebrate between the sheets,” Justin said cheekily, leaning to kiss Brian.

Brian pushed Justin's pants down, touching his hard dick through the cloth of his boxer briefs. Before Justin could voice his concerns about Nick discovering them in that compromising position, Brian had his boxers around his ankles, and took him in his mouth.

Justin arched his back, wrapping his fingers into Brian's hair. “Fuck me.”

“Someone’s eager,” Brian said, after pulling back. “I’m not done with teasing you.” He started licking at the length of Justin's dick.

“Brian,” he groaned, gripping Brian's shoulder with one hand. “Please.”

Brian pushed his sweatpants down his legs, waving at his lap.

Justin grabbed the lube from the drawer to his right, then straddled Brian's legs. “Hey, Stud.”

Brian rolled his eyes, uncapping the tube of lube. Justin gasped, lifting up when Brian's fingers touched his hole.

“Cold,” Justin gasped. “Sorry.” He sat back on Brian's legs, gingerly.

“Don’t worry, Little Boy. It will heat up.”

“Whatever happened to warming the lube?” Justin grunted into Brian's neck, accepting the two fingers pushed up his ass.

“I’m eager to celebrate, Lover Boy.”

“What’s with the nicknames?”

“What’s with all the questions?” Brian laughed, guiding his dick into Justin.

Justin braced on Brian's shoulders, as he started bouncing on his lap. Brian caught his lips in a deep kiss to muffle his cries of pleasure. When Brian was sure Justin had his sounds under control, he moved to kiss his chest and shoulders, holding onto his ass tightly.

“What are you doing?”

“Oh, my GOD!” Justin collapsed on top of Brian, pressing his face into Brian's shoulder.

Brian looked at Nick over the top of Justin's mop of blond hair. The child was standing in the doorway, staring at them curiously.

“Go back to your room. We’ll be with you in a minute,” Brian said quietly.

“Fuck,” Justin spat, once Nick shuffled back up the stairs. “Someone hand me the Worst Father of the Year award, already.”

“Calm down, Sunshine. He doesn’t know what he saw.”

“He’s a smart kid. There is no way we can lie about it. He saw us, Brian.”

They got dressed hastily, and walked to Nick’s room hand in hand.

Nick was on top of his bed, his little arms folded across his chest. Tank was sleeping in his own bed at the foot of Nick’s bed.

“Nick…” Justin started.

“What were you doing?” Nick demanded.

Brian touched the back of Justin's neck to ground him. “How about we answer you in ten years.”

Nick ground his teeth. “Was that the nasty?”

Justin covered his face. “Take a wild guess,” he mumbled into his hands.

“So, it was the nasty.”

“Nick, this has to be our secret. No one can know what you just saw,” Brian told him seriously.

“Fine. Just don’t do that in front of me again.”

Brian started laughing, and Justin dropped his hands to stare in shock at his son.

“You walked in on us.”

“Well…I was thirsty.”

“Don’t worry. You won’t see that again,” Brian promised. “I’ll grab you some water.”

Justin walked closer to sit next to Nick. “I’m really sorry you had to see that.”

“I’m not even sure what I saw. Uncle Emmett was right to call it nasty.”

Justin nodded, making a mental note to have a chat with Emmett about the things he told his son. “Like Brian said, you have to keep this secret.”

“Okay, Daddy.”

Brian returned with a glass of water. “Here you go, Nick.”

“Thanks,” Nick smiled toothily, gulping down half of the glass.

“Now, go back to sleep.” Justin kissed the top of Nick’s head.

Brian leaned over to kiss him, too, having learned the routine when they both put Nick to bed.

When they left Nick’s room, Justin groaned, elbowing Brian. “I wasn’t paranoid earlier about moving upstairs.”

“How the fuck was I supposed to know he’d decide to interrupt us so rudely?”

“I really hope he won’t say shit, because everyone will think we’re irresponsible parents.”

“I’ll show Emmett how responsible I am…but punching him in the face next time he comments about us doing the nasty,” Brian sneered.

Justin took his clothes off, leaving them in a heap by the door of their room. He noticed a rainbow cupcake on his nightstand.

“When did you get that?” He turned to Brian.

“Oh, that was the only cupcake I could get from my friend. He couldn’t keep more than this one, so I decided it was enough.”

“What’s the occasion?”

Brian stared at his long and hard. “We just discussed this downstairs. Pennsylvania lifted the ban on same-sex marriages.”

“Right. I mean…I didn’t expect anything.” Justin went to pick up the cupcake, ripping it in half. “Here.” He handed Brian the smaller part, knowing he was about to bitch about the carbs at that time of night.

Brian raised his piece of cupcake in salute. “See you at the altar in two months, Lover Boy.”

“Stop with the nicknames,” Justin groaned, stuffing his half of the cupcake in his mouth. He moaned loudly. “Yum! Just as good as I remember.”

Brian chewed on his half, taking his own clothes off. “Shower?”

“Yeah, I need one. I’m all sticky…and not only because of our ruined fuck, but I put Pepsi on me earlier.”

“Christ, Justin. Not even Nick has so many accidents as you.”

 

“It’s a gift,” Justin joked, leading the way into the bathroom.

Chapter 54 by addict_writer

 

 

“I can’t believe you,” Justin groaned, as they got out of the Jeep. “We’re late to our own bachelor party.”

“It’s called arriving in style, Sunshine.” Brian threw an arm over Justin's shoulders, guiding him inside.

Tom, the bouncer, stopped them just before the chain curtain, talking in his wrist mike.

“I had no idea I had become a celebrity overnight,” Brian commented.

“Humor us, Brian,” Tom said, smiling. He touched his ear piece, then pulled aside the chain curtain. “Have fun!”

King of My Castle started playing loudly, which made Brian laugh. “Pretty accurate.”

“It was my idea.” Justin wrapped an arm around Brian's elbow.

Brian peered at him, grinning. “It makes me feel like a boxer about to head into the ring. I always loved this song.”

“I know,” Justin said, snuggling into Brian's side and kissing his cheek.

“About time you arrived,” Emmett exclaimed, joining them. “What the fuck did you do?”

Justin winced, hoping the obvious answer wouldn’t get Emmett's panties in a twist.

Brian shrugged, pushing his tongue in his cheek. “Your party was going to be lame. I wouldn’t have enjoyed it with only ten people.”

“And you had to let random people attend your bachelor party?” Emmett cried out, waving to the men scattered across the dance floor.

“They’re not random people. They’re my former sex partners.” Brian patted Emmett's cheek, heading to the bar to greet their other friends.

He could hear Emmett sputtering in rage, and Justin trying to pacify him. As always, cleaning up after him, which Brian hated. Justin wouldn’t have to apologize in Brian's name because he had decided to liven up the party.

“Justin,” Brian said over his shoulder, stopping several feet away from their friends, waiting at the bar.

Justin hurried to his side, pursing his lips. “Emmett is really upset. And…I’m shocked. When did you do this?”

“I’m sorry for not wanting to have a lame bachelor party. They’re here for decoration, filling up the place, take you pick,” Brian explained.

Michael joined them hugging both of them. “I must admit,” he whispered, glancing in Emmett's direction, fearfully. “This party is tons better than a small gathering amongst us.”

“Hear that, Honeycutt?” Brian called out, rolling his eyes. “Even Michael thinks this party rocks.”

Emmett huffed, heading to the bar and snatching an already prepared cocktail.

“Let’s not fight with Emmett. We need him tomorrow,” Justin reasoned, rubbing Brian's elbow.

“I know what the fuck we have to do. He’s been on my ass for the past couple of months constantly. Nothing I said or did pleased him,” Brian complained.

“Come on.” Justin took his hand, leading him toward the rest of their friends and family.

“I guess, it’s a good thing Jennifer decided to play babysitter,” Debbie said, amused, hugging them both.

Brian sneered. “I’m giving a farewell in style to all my fucks.”

“It’s not too late to change my mind,” Justin joked.

“You’re stuck with me, Sunshine.” Brian brought him closer, kissing his lips. Then he faced their friends. “I dare anyone to comment on the other guests.”

“As long as you won’t entertain any of them…” Ted commented.

“The only one I plan on entertaining is Justin.”

“It’s a miracle you gave up tricking. You’re an amazing influence.” Ted patted Justin's shoulder, returning to his drink.

Brian picked two shot glasses from the bar, handing one to Justin. He touched their glasses.

“Cheers.” Brian downed his Jägermeister, then picked another and another.

Justin pulled Brian to the dance floor, when Brian was ready to empty his fifth shot. “The night is young.”

“Have I taught you nothing? It’s always best to start the night buzzed.”

“Yeah, but I’d rather we don’t get wasted tonight. I want to remember tomorrow…and I don’t want either of us to be sick.”

Brian placed his forearms on Justin's shoulders, as they started moving with the rhythm of the song playing. “I don’t do hangovers.”

“It’s a miracle. I remember how much you used to abuse yourself.”

Brian grinned lazily. “I trained my body from a young age.”

Justin laughed, linking his arms around Brian's neck.

After a few songs, Justin started peppering kisses on Brian's throat. “I want you to apologize to Emmett.”

“I want you. Period,” Brian stated, claiming Justin's lips in a deep kiss. “I need another drink,” Brian said when they separated.

“I’ll mingle,” Justin offered.

“Enjoy.” Brian swatted his ass, returning to the bar.

He found Ted leaning against the side of the bar, like in the golden days. Brian grabbed a glass of whiskey, leaning next to Ted, resting his elbow on top of the bar.

“Where’s your husband?”

Ted glanced at him, rolling his eyes. “Blake doesn’t believe in marriage. And that’s something I don’t wait, either.”

“It was a matter of speaking, but thank you for keeping me up to date with something I’m not interesting in. Wanna dance?” Brian downed his glass.

“We…you and me…” Ted stuttered. “We’ve never.”

Brian dragged his friend to the dance floor. “I asked you to dance, not fuck, Theodore.”

“I don’t think we’ve ever danced together,” Ted said, bewildered.

“All the more reason. Tomorrow will be the first day of my life or some shit. I’m putting my old life behind in style.”

A couple of songs later, Brian's best drug dealer caught his eyes from across the room. Brian abandoned Ted, following Slick toward the hallway leading to the Backroom. Slick palmed him a tiny pill of E in a plastic bag.

“The best stuff, like I promised.”

“Thanks, buddy. I owe you,” Brian said.

“Nah. Consider it my wedding gift.” Slick winked.

“It’s the best present.” Brian gave him old friend a one-arm hug.

Slick leaned closer to Brian's ear so he would be the only one to hear, since the usual crowd had gravitated to the Backroom. “Thanks for allowing me to do my business here.”

“As long as you keep your nose close, we’ll still be friends,” Brian said seriously, turning to meet his eyes.

“Just the pills, like we agreed,” Slick promised.

Brian nodded. “Well, I better head back to my party.”

He barely managed a couple of steps when he saw Justin standing under one of the multicolored lights, his face painted in all colors, but Brian could see the familiar look in Justin's eyes. He hadn’t seen betrayal reflected in his blue eyes in years.

Brian strolled to him, but Justin held a hand up. “I don’t want to hear it,” Justin said in a tight voice.

“I wasn’t in the Backroom.”

Justin stared at him incredulously. “I saw you coming from there.”

Brian clutched Justin's elbow, when he tried turning around. Brian pulled him closer. “Would you stop this? I thought you trusted me. I got us something.”

“What? Crabs? Syphilis?”

Brian refrained from calling his partner a twat in that moment, because whatever Justin thought he saw had shaken his trust in Brian so badly that he decided to bring up old history.

“What the fuck do you think you saw?” Brian humored him.

Justin narrowed his eyes at him. “Emmett pointed out to you following someone in the Backroom. I told him he was crazy. I kept dancing and talking to Michael…then I saw you. Just outside the door, chatting with this guy.”

“That’s Slick. I think I’ve never formally introduced you. He’s my drug dealer.”

“I don’t care who you just fucked.”

“Christ, Justin. What the fuck did Emmett say to shake your trust in me this badly?”

Justin looked away, shoulders slumped. “I’m a fucking idiot.”

“No, you’re not. I understand why I might have given you the wrong impression…my past has come to bite me in the ass,” Brian sneered, wrapping both arms around Justin.

“I trust you, Brian. It’s just…Emmett saw this guy nodding to the Backroom and you were so quick to abandon Ted. I saw you were dancing with Ted, which was a shock itself, then you weren’t there. I thought you’d gone to the bathroom.”

“For what it’s worth, I only had good intentions. I got us some good shit – the best E.”

“One last hooray to our lives before we embrace marriage…the doom of gay and straight people?”

“I was a really bad influence on you, Sunshine,” Brian laughed.

“I need some vodka if we do E.” Justin turned to go in the bar’s direction, but Brian held him in place.

“Are we okay?”

“Yes. Apparently, I’m easily influenced.” Justin scowled in Emmett's direction. But Emmett was busy chatting and laughing with Debbie and Drew.

“I don’t blame you.” Brian kissed Justin's brow.

They made it to the bar, entangled in each other. Ted and Blake were nursing a glass of whiskey, each.

Justin asked for vodka, while Brian downed two shots of Jägermeister. They had become his favorite drink, second to whiskey, in the recent years.

Brian watched as Justin chugged two glasses of vodka, then picked Brian's glass from his hand, and downed the contents, slamming the glass to the bar top when he was done. 

Brian slid against Justin's side, taking the pill from his pocket, holding it on his finger, offering it to Justin. After a moment of hesitance, Justin licked Brian's finger, taking the pill in his mouth. Brian pushed Justin against the bar, pressing his lips to Justin's, opening them to search for the E and get a taste himself.

“Do you two ever get enough?” Michael asked, amused, hopping on a stool next to him.

“There’s no such thing as enough, Mikey. Especially, when it comes to Justin.”

Justin smiled widely, combing his fingers through Brian's hair. “It’s refreshing to hear you’ll never get tired of me.”

“Sunshine, we’re about to tie the noose around our necks. It can’t get any more serious than this.”

“I don’t know about you, but I’m wearing a bowtie tomorrow. If you choose a rope, don’t come crying to me when Emmett starts chasing you with a broom,” Justin teased, sneaking his hands under Brian's shirt, touching his collarbone and shoulder. “It’s hot in here,” he said suddenly, and proceeded to undo three buttons from Brian's black shirt.

“How much did you have to drink?” Michael asked curiously, eyeing Justin, worried.

“Not enough.” Justin waved the bartender closer, asking for more vodka.

“Is this such a good idea?” Michael turned to Brian.

“Don’t be a party-pooper.” Brian took his offered glass of whiskey, and after touching it to Justin's vodka, they downed the contents. “Let’s dance.” Brian led Justin in the middle of the dance floor, between half-naked and sweaty men.

Justin tugged at the front of his shirt, making all buttons pop in all directions, before he threw his arms in the air, dancing with his shirt hanging open. Brian rolled the sleeves of his own shirt, touching Justin's hips as he fell in rhythm.

Justin pulled Brian closer, licking at his mouth. “One last fuck in the Backroom.”

“We can fuck in there anytime you want,” Brian pointed out.

“As bachelors,” Justin said sternly, then cracked up at his own joked.

“I think you got the best of our present.”

“I think I swallowed it before you kissed me,” Justin admitted. “Pleeeease.”

“Who am I to deny my future husband?” Brian asked mockingly, spinning Justin around and wheeling him toward the Backroom.

A chorus of catcalls followed them, and Brian even bowed and waved at the crowd. He ignored the scandalized looks on their friends’ faces, especially the enraged look on Emmett.

Brian leaned to press his lips to Justin's ear. “I was hoping you’d want to come here. I have something prepared.”

Justin smirked over his shoulder. “Aren’t you thoughtful?”

“I’m nothing if not thorough.”

Brian led him to a secluded area where a sling waited for them.

“Oh, God. Are you serious now?” Justin laughed loudly, going to touch the sling.

“What did you call it? One last hooray fuck.”

“Will it hold me?”

“It can hold up to three hundred pounds, which makes me shudder to think what bear designed this.” Brian dropped his hands to unzip Justin's pants. “You’re so hard.”

“I’ve never had the desire to be fucked in a sling more than now. How the fuck do I get in it?”

“First, work with me here, and step out of your pants.”

It took a little fumbling from both of them, before Justin was lying in the sling, back horizontal with the floor. His head was thrown back, and his mouth open, as wanton sounds left his throat with each thrust of Brian's hips.

Brian held onto the strings, but the swing still moved around, and Justin suddenly flailed his hands wildly, unable to anchor on anything as a powerful orgasm washed over him. He shouted for the whole Backroom to hear Brian had satisfied him once again. It didn’t take much longer for Brian to find his own release, leaning down to lay against Justin's sweaty chest.

“We need one of these at home,” Justin slurred out.

“It might not be wise,” Brian said softly, helping him up.

“Yeah, you’re right. Keep it here then. Make sure no one else gets to use it.”

“Behind a protection glass, like some of these famous paintings?” Brian asked, amused.

“I’m serious,” Justin said, cleaning up with his boxers, before stepping into his dress pants without any underwear. “Damn, I haven’t been so stoned in forever.” He touched his cheeks. “Why did I rip my shirt?”

“Don’t worry. I’m happy you are having fun.” Brian pulled him closer by the hem of his shirt.

They kissed for endless minutes, before leaving the Backroom in applause and more catcalls.

Emmett was waiting for them at the door, arms folded across his chest. “I’ve never been so humiliated in my life!” His eyes narrowed, and Brian wasn’t sure if Emmett might burst into tears, because he could see tears in his eyes. “I had planned this beautiful bachelor party for you. I thought it was the appropriate thing to do, after the flop from the last time.”

“It was a fabulous party, Emmett,” Justin said cheerfully.

“I expected more common sense from you, Justin. After what we saw…”

“You saw wrong,” Justin huffed, trying to hold his shirt closed.

“Just look at you – both of you! Even when I’m beyond upset with my clients, I still see the event through until the end. So expect me bright and early at your house. You better not be hangover and throw up during the ceremony,” he said, upset.

“Whatever, Honeycutt. I hurt your sensibilities by trying to liven up the party. You know this is our scene. When I heard Justin had convinced you to hold the party at Babylon, I knew you would turn the event into an obituary about our lost freedom.”

“That’s not true, Brian. There were drinks for everyone. We were going to dance and share memories.”

“Lame,” Brian mouthed, holding Emmett's eyes. “Look, Justin had fun. And I did, too.”

“You call this fun? You got trashed, like when you were the King of Liberty Avenue…the Stud…” Emmett waved around. “Well, congratulations for making a fool of yourselves.”

“Emmett, we really didn’t mean to upset you and ruin your party,” Justin said softly, touching Emmett's shoulder. “Come on. Admit it, this was way hotter than your idea.”

“What the fuck did you give him?” Emmett demanded, glaring at Brian.

Brian pulled Justin closer, returning Emmett's glare, aware of their friends close, hovering, about to interfere. “The E…the D…none of your fucking business. Leave your presents in my office, there will be no wedding tomorrow. We’re eloping.” Brian took Justin's hand firmly, taking him out of Babylon.

“Whoa! What just happened?” Justin asked, once they were outside.

Brian lit himself a cigarette, breathing harshly. “I’m done with this fucking charade.”

“Come on, don’t do this. You know how Emmett gets.”

“I’m going to call the minister.”

“It’s…whatever ungodly hour of night. Don’t be a dick. Besides, I don’t want to elope. I want everyone there for when we get married. I want to see Michael as your Best Man, and Ben as mine. I want to see Nick bringing our rings to the aisle, I want to see Mom and Debbie…and Emmett crying in their handkerchiefs as we say ‘I do’ and share our first kiss as legally married.”

“No one uses handkerchiefs anymore,” Brian scoffed.

Justin took the cigarette from Brian's hand. “Emmett was under a lot of stress with preparing our wedding, Brian. He’s our friend. He was so worried about making us happy and making sure everything turned out fabulous. He told me on several occasions how he wants us to never forget these beautiful moments.”

“Well, he threw us a party we’ll never forget,” Brian sneered, snatching his smoke back.

“I’m so sorry!” Emmett wailed, running out of the club and throwing himself at Brian. “I was a tool. Don’t elope. I don’t want to ruin your wedding…the most anticipated event of the century.”

“Then take your snot off my shirt.” Brian pushed him at arms’ length. “And Justin has already convinced me why eloping is counterproductive with all the stress from the past few months.”

“Oh, baby!” Emmett turned to hug Justin.

“It’s okay, Emmett. We’ve all been stressed. It was a great party.”

“Fabulous.” Brian joined their hug, wrapping an arm around Emmett. “But next time, you think you see me going after a trick, keep your opinions to yourself. Those days are the past.”

“Of course. I know that, Brian. I was so upset with what you had done…I didn’t get to think beyond you ruining the party I had planned so carefully. It really felt like the most appropriate farewell to your former life.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “Now, can I take my man home? We have to nurse our hangovers before our wedding planner comes shouting at the crack of dawn.”

“The wedding isn’t until five. So, we’ll appreciate to sleep until noon,” Justin quipped.

“Noon?” Emmett repeated in horror. “There’s so much to do in the morning! Remember our schedule? We went over it yesterday.”

“Right now…all I remember is my name…barely.”

Emmett pursed his lips, and Brian planted a wet kiss on his cheek. “See you tomorrow, Princess.”

“We’ll be the ones in white,” Justin shouted over his shoulder.

“I’m still not sure why we have to wear matching, white tuxes,” Brian said, amused.

“Because I want it.”

“Of course.” Brian pushed Justin against the side of the Jeep, pressing his lips to Justin's. “Anything for my prince.”

Justin smiled widely, then started laughing. “And you’re the king of my castle.”

“Christ. I forgot how funny you are when you’re drunk and high.”

“Just wait for when I get sick in a few hours.”

“I haven’t vowed to any sickness and health issues yet. You’re on your own,” Brian teased, helping Justin in the passenger seat, when he stumbled as he tried to climb inside.

“Shit.” Justin turned to look panicked at Brian, once he got behind the wheel. “I don’t remember the vows I wrote for you.”

“It will come back. We have another problem.”

“You lost the car keys,” Justin gasped, covering his mouth.

“No, you twat. I might be too drunk to drive. Watch this.” Brian winked, pulling his phone out of his pocket. He dialed Michael’s number, waiting for a couple of rings before the call connected.

“Hey! What’s up?” Michael asked curiously.

“We need a lift home.”

“Excuse me?”

“Come out here, and drive us home. Ben can follow you to take you back.”

“Reliving our lost youth thoroughly, huh?” Michael joked. “I’ll be right there.”

“Want to move to the backseat?” Justin asked, his eyes twinkling.

When Michael got in the car, he threw them a dirty look. “If you start fucking on the way home, I’m leaving you on the side of the road. Ben will be right behind us. He’ll take me, while you get to find a way to get home.”

“Wow. Who pissed in your drink tonight, Mikey?”

“Don’t drive too fast. I’m feeling queasy,” Justin begged.

“If you throw up on me, I’m throwing you out of the fucking car, Justin,” Brian threatened, but he wrapped his arms around him.

Not five minutes into the drive, Justin had fallen asleep on Brian's shoulder.

“Now, this is a far cry from the first night you met Justin, and I drove you home.” Michael met Brian's eyes through the rearview mirror.

“It was Justin's idea to reenact that night. Apparently, he’s all talk, no action.”

Michael shook his head. “I haven’t seen him so trashed in my life.”

“It’s not the first time we had such fun,” Brian explained. “It hasn’t happened in ages, though. I hope to mend him before the wedding, or Emmett will never forgive us.”

“That was crazy,” Michael commented.

“We’re okay, don’t worry. He understood I was right, once again.”

 

Michael laughed, making Brian poke his tongue out.

Chapter 55 A by addict_writer
Author's Notes:

 

 

The Wedding has 3 parts. This is part one.

 

 

Justin shot up in bed at the sound of a loud booming noise. He sat still, tangled in the bedsheet and with his heart beating out of his chest.

Brian was sleeping soundly next to him, and Justin wasn’t sure how, because that noise should have awakened the dead.

Then he heard it – loud rapping against the window.

He jumped out of the bed and hurried to look outside, hoping it was his imagination. The sky was a dark gray and rain was pouring out of the heavy clouds.

“Brian!” Justin cried out, going to shake his man. “Wake up. Brian…”

Brian rolled on his other side, and Justin didn’t blame him. After how much they had drunk the previous night, combined with the E, and Justin making an impromptu visit to the toilet soon after getting in bed, it was obvious they were both tired.

But Justin hadn’t felt more awake and panicked in his life.

Brian,” he insisted, shaking Brian's shoulder. “It’s raining buckets.”

“Call CNN.”

“Brian,” Justin said gently, leaving small kisses on Brian's cheek. “It’s our wedding today.”

Brian's eyes opened wide, and Justin had to laugh. “Is this some sign that we shouldn’t do this?”

“Don’t be…well, I was going to say a twat.” Justin sat next to Brian on the bed. “I don’t even want to check the backyard,” he mumbled into his hands.

“Rain on the wedding day should bring prosperity and happiness, or so I heard.”

“I’m not sure if I want to cry or laugh,” Justin admitted, glancing at Brian. “Shit. I bet that’s Emmett,” he said, when his phone started ringing.

Brian held Justin in place, as he leaned across the bed to get Justin's phone from his nightstand. “Yup.”

Justin grimaced, accepting the call and placing the phone on speaker. “Morning, Emmett.”

“Don’t freak out, baby! I have it under control. Hold on.” They could hear Emmett's muffled voice instructing someone to take the whole roll of whatever.

“How do you have it under control?” Brian asked, flopping on his back. “Are you going to tell God to stop the rain because Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor are getting married?”

“Brian, hi! I have a special tarpaulin for such unexpected situations.”

Brian held the phone to his mouth. “What the fuck do you plan on doing with that? We haven’t checked but I’ll bet the chairs and the arch stand have sunk into the mud.”

“I’m going to check,” Justin said hurriedly, grabbing a hoodie from the dresser and tugging it over his head. He had only boxer briefs and the hoodie, and he stepped into a pair of plastic slippers at the back door, before leaving the house.

He found Tank in the rocker, looking at how it was raining.

Justin grimaced, because there were muddy paw prints everywhere. Tank had probably adventured in the yard for his bathroom business.

“Oh, God.” Justin forgot about the trail of mud left behind by the dog, because their wedding set-up was a royal mess.

“What’s the damage?” Brian asked softly, joining him. He was only in his underwear with a cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth.

Justin waved to the white chairs and their drenched bow decorations, and how they were muddy and falling apart. The wedding arch was the only thing still standing at the end of aisle, which was no longer visible due to mud.

“Emmett is on his way. He promised to salvage the situation.”

Justin leaned into Brian's side. “I’m starting to agree with your idea from last night. We should elope.”

“After all this trouble?” Brian asked incredulously. “I remember the odds weren’t in Lindsay and Melanie’s favor, either, and Emmett pulled it off.”

Justin chewed on his lips, staring at the downpour. “I see no way out of this mess.”

His phone’s ringtone made him stare at Brian, as Brian took the phone out of his briefs. Justin grimaced, taking it.

“No pockets,” Brian laughed.

“Hi, Mom,” Justin accepted his mother’s call.

“Oh, honey! How are you?”

“Peachy. I’m on the back porch with Brian, enjoying the rain,” he said as sarcastically as possible.

“I’m sure it will stop until everyone arrives.”

“You should see the backyard. It’s a swamp.” Justin threw himself in the rocker next to Tank. “How’s Nick?”

“Sleeping. He didn’t even twitch when that big thunder shook the house,” Jennifer said, amused.

“Yeah, it took me five minutes to wake Brian and tell him about the rain. It’s scary how much alike they are.”

Brian handed Justin his half-smoked cigarette, before he stepped off the porch into the rain.

“Uh, I’ll let you go. We have to see how we’ll fix the backyard before everyone arrives.”

“We’ll be there as soon as Nick wakes up,” she promised.

After hanging up, Justin went to the edge of the porch. “Brian, what are you doing?” he asked, half-amused, half-exasperated.

Brian stood close to the last row of chairs, tilting his head toward the sky and opening his arms. “Washing my sins,” he answered, laughing.

“Come back inside. You’re in undies and barefoot.”

“Undies,” Brian doubled over in laughter. “Join me.”

“I don’t think so. I’m going to start the coffee.”

“Don’t you want to kiss in the rain?” Brian teased, coming closer to where Justin stood. He took Justin's hands, pulling him away from the covered porch.

“It doesn’t look like it will stop any time soon,” Justin said thoughtfully, squinting around through the drops of rain hitting his eyelashes.

“Who cares?” Brian looped his arms around Justin's shoulders, leaning closer to kiss him with ardor.

Justin touched Brian's toned abdomen, getting lost in the kiss. It was not as romantic as he had expected from a kiss in the rain, what with all the water getting in his eyes and in their mouths, but Justin was shaken from the sweet moment by Brian grabbing his ass.

“Whoa, Stud. We have a wedding to prepare.”

“It’s already prepared, Justin.”

“How about that coffee and we change out of these drenched clothes?” Justin led him back inside the house.

Justin had only time to start the coffee machine, before Brian pulled him upstairs into the bathroom.

Justin found himself being divested of his hoodies and boxers, and dragged into the shower. He tried to protest when Brian turned him around, picking up the bar of soap.

“Emmett is on his way,” Justin reminded Brian, who was probing his ass with two soapy fingers.

“There’s no better way to start this day than a last fuck in the shower as bachelors.”

“Christ. All our fucks for the past week have been the last ones as bachelors,” Justin laughed.

“And they were all in different parts of the house, Kinnetik, Babylon…” Brian pressed his lips to the nape of Justin's neck. “I’m a strong believer that the way we celebrate our wedding day will dictate our marriage. Here’s to every day morning sex.”

“How about…every day sex only?”

Brian huffed, pushing two fingers into Justin, pumping them slowly. “Of course, there will be noon every day sex, after noon every day sex, evening every day sex, and of course, long hours deep into the night.”

“Of course,” Justin acknowledged, moaning and grabbing his erection. “I’ll hold you to your promise. You better stock up on Viagra.”

“You, twat! Are you complaining about my performance?” Brian asked mockingly.

“You’re still the Stud.”

#

Brian returned downstairs first, and was surprised to find Emmett and Drew in the kitchen.

“By all mean, break into our house,” he commented, tightening his silk bathrobe around his waist.

“Brian! We were beginning to wonder where the two of you were,” Emmett exclaimed.

“We had one last shower together as bachelors.”

“Sex before marriage?” Drew gasped mockingly.

Emmett whacked him on the ass with a dishtowel. “What did you do with Justin? Flushed him down the drain?”

Brian rolled his eyes, going to pour himself coffee. “He’s cleaning up.”

“Didn’t you just say you had a shower?” Emmett asked, confused.

“Shower sex,” Brian explained, rolling his eyes. “What the fuck happened to the sugar?”

Drew handed him the can, which he had taken to put in his own coffee.

Emmett clutched at his heart, and Brian winced. They hadn’t told anyone about dropping the condoms.

Justin chose that moment to appear in the kitchen, wearing only a pair of boxers and toweling his wet hair.

“Emmett,” he cried out. “When did you get here?”

Emmett turned to stare at Justin as if he hadn’t seen him in his whole life.

Brian place his cup behind him on the counter, and went to place a hand on Emmett's shoulder. “I don’t know why you’re surprised. Instead on commenting on the obvious, get busy with your tarpaulin.”

“Right. Of course. Drewsy, I name you my personal assistant.” Emmett took Drew’s hand, leading him out through the back door.

“What was that?” Justin frowned, pouring coffee in his own mug.

“Emmett just found out we’re into barebacking.”

Justin choked on his gulp of coffee. “You told him?”

“I had no idea it was a national secret. Besides, I didn’t mean to. It slipped.”

Justin snorted, taking another sip of his coffee, looking through his allergy pills. “Fuck. I’m out of Zyrtec.”

“How did that happen?” Brian wondered.

“I was sure I had a full box. What are the chances I die on our wedding day?”

“Don’t be a twat. I’ll go and get your goddamn pills.”

Justin smiled widely, kissing his lips. “The prescription is in my wallet. I’m going to get dressed and help Emmett.”

“Be careful. Stray clear of dust and whatever might trigger your allergies,” Brian warned, as they walked upstairs to get changed.

#

When Justin joined Emmett outside, the rain had subsided, but it still fell mercilessly, with no intent to stop any time soon.

“Where did Brian go with his bike?” Emmett demanded.

Justin knew how Brian loved to take his bike for a spin every now and then, but he rarely had the time and occasion to do it.

“He’s off to get some of my allergy pills,” Justin explained. “What are you trying to do?”

He stared curiously at the poles stuck in the mud around the make-shift aisle. The tarpaulin was half tied to some of them, while Drew worked on tying it to the other half.

“It’s not aesthetically nice, but instead of having…” Emmett broke off, when a gust of wind made all of Drew’s hard work collapse on top of the arch and the chairs.

“Maybe Brian is right, and this is a sign we shouldn’t get married.”

“Shush!” Emmett spun around several times, before he stopped and clapped excitedly. “I know! What do you have in the stables?”

“Are you kidding me?” Justin groaned. “Do you want Brian to have an aneurysm?”

“The barn?” Emmett suggested.

“For now it’s empty, spare a couple of paintings I’ve been working on.”

“Can I see it?”

“It’s ugly as fuck, Emmett.”

“Let me be the judge of that. Drew, baby, come with us,” he called over his shoulder.

They worked on decluttering the barn and they were moving the chairs inside when Michael arrived with his mother and Carl.

“Hey, guys!” He waved over the roof of his car. “What are you doing?”

“Hey,” Justin said, joining their guests. “We’re redecorating. We’re showing Mother Nature nothing can stop this wedding from happening.”

“And now you are getting married in the barn?” Debbie asked, laughing.

“I see no other option,” Justin mumbled. “Believe me, I’m not thrilled with this change of plans.” He glared toward the sky, silently wishing for the rain to stop.

“Well, lucky for you, I have my dress all packed. I had a feeling you’d need help,” Debbie said softly, pulling him in a tight hug. “Where’s Brian?”

“In town, running an errand. We’re almost done. You should head inside,” Justin explained, before he returned to where Emmett and Drew were carrying the arch inside the barn.

The flowers wrapped around the wooden structure looked like they had seen better days. Justin felt like he was about to start crying when he stopped at the barn doors. And they would be anguish and angry tears.

“All done, baby!” Emmett clapped, beaming at him. “Oh, no. No, no, no. Don’t start crying.” He hurried to Justin and hugged him tightly. “Shh. Trust me. You will still have a fabulous wedding. I just need to make a phone call.”

“Come on.” Drew steered Justin inside the house, while Emmett stayed back, pulling his phone out.

“This is fucked up,” Justin muttered.

“If I’ve learned something from being witness to several weddings and parties planned by Emmett, you have to trust him. Even if it looks like the end of the world, he still makes sure everything is perfect and everyone is having a good time,” Drew said gently.

“I know, Drew. From the first time Brian proposed to me, we both envisioned the wedding in the spot everything was set. Now…I don’t know how to feel about this change,” Justin admitted.

They stepped into the kitchen where Michael was pouring coffee in one cup.

“Where’s Ben?” Justin asked, attempting to distract himself or he might burst into tears.

“At the airport to pick the girls and the children. Since they missed the scheduled flight yesterday evening…” Michael trialed off.

“Right.” Justin slumped in one of the chairs, gripping his hairs with his fingers.

“Honey, we all know how important that setting was for you, but no one could have foreseen this summer rain,” Debbie whispered, rubbing his shoulders. “The weatherman didn’t say anything about rain in Pittsburgh at the news last night.”

“We’re not in Pittsburgh, Debbie. We’re in fucking West Virginia.”

“Twenty minutes away from Pittsburgh,” Carl joined their conversation. “You have to trust Emmett in rethinking the whole arrangement.”

“Everyone keeps saying I have to trust Emmett. I DO!” Justin yelled, standing up so fast his chair toppled over.

“Hold your declarations for the minister,” Brian said, entering the kitchen. He was covered in mud from head to toes, holding his helmet in one hand. He retrieved a paper bag from inside his leather jacket. “Here you go.”

“My hero.” Justin hurried to take his meds from his fiancé, and kissed him softly.

“Now, I need another shower. By the way, I passed three cars heading here. Ben, Jennifer, and Daphne are going to arrive in the next few minutes.”

“Go, shower,” Debbie urged him, watching him with emotion regarding the exchange between the lovebirds.

“I’ll be right back,” Justin said over his shoulder, following Brian up the stairs.

“We’ll never hear the end of it if you want round two,” Brian joked.

Justin caught Brian's muddy wrist. “Emmett decided to move the venue to the barn. I thought you should know.”

Brian winced. “Yiiha.”

“Ha ha,” Justin huffed.

“Go and greet our guests,” Brian said, nudging Justin back down the stairs when the doorbell rang.

#

“Relax, would you?” Ben nudged Justin, rubbing his back.

Justin rubbed his sweaty palms over his pants, shuffling from foot to foot on the back porch. “Where is Brian?”

“You know he likes to show up late. Michael wanted to talk to him alone before the ceremony,” Ben reminded him, gently.

Justin stared at the back door, sighing loudly. “This is not how I envisioned today, at all.”

“Look at the bright side. It has stopped raining.” Ben waved to the clear sky.

“And we have changed the make-shift aisle once again. At least, we found good use for Emmett's tarpaulin.” He stared at the backyard, covered in the green tarpaulin so no one would dirty their clothes and shoes from the muddy grass.

“Hold your pants, we’re here,” Brian said hurriedly, coming through the door.

Justin noticed both Brian and Michael had misty eyes, and he was curious what they had talked about.

“We’ll go ahead and let everyone know you’re coming,” Michael offered.

Brian made a show to grab Justin's dick over his pants. “Quick. Let’s get close to coming then.”

Michael rolled his eyes. “Behave.”

Brian made some weird hand gesture, between the sign of cross and Scout’s honor. “Cross my heart, swear to die.”

“I’m pretty sure that’s not the correct saying,” Justin said thoughtfully, but he chuckled, nonetheless.

“Don’t take forever,” Michael warned, taking Ben’s hand and leading him to the rows of chairs where their friends and family were waiting for the much anticipated wedding.

“Are you nervous?” Brian asked softly, interlacing his fingers with Justin's.

“I shouldn’t have wasted that E last night. I need it more now. I can’t remember the last time I’ve been so anxious.”

“What the fuck for? We’re getting married, not about to perform some crazy sexual act in front of everyone.”

Justin snorted, squeezing Brian's fingers. “This whole day has been a roller-coaster. I’m ready to be done with it.”

Brian led him down the stairs slowly, “We never had it easy, Sunshine. Why should our wedding day be any different?”

“Here’s to many years of easy,” Justin mumbled. “Oh, God. We’re doing this.” He took a few deep breaths when he spotted everyone seated in their chairs, waiting for them to arrive.

“Oh, look.” Brian pointed toward the sky above the first line of trees to their right. “God approves, after all.”

Justin stared amazed at the rainbow, and tears filled his eyes. “It’s breathtaking.”

“It’s all right,” Brian whispered, leaning closer to kiss Justin's cheek.

They walked slowly, between the rows holding their guests. Michael and Ben greeted them at the wedding arch, where the minister was standing. The white flowers in the arch had been replaced with fresh ones, all thanks to Emmett.

“Don’t drop your hand. I might faint,” Justin said urgently.

“I promise to catch you,” Brian joked.

They took their spots, and true to his words, Brian kept Justin's right hand in his.

Justin dared a peek at the people in the closest chairs, and saw his mother and Debbie openly crying. Nick was next to Gus, staring at them with a big smile on his face. Molly was on the second row, focused on her son, who was standing on her husband’s lap, babbling loudly. Daphne was on the other side of the aisle, smiling with tears at them.

Justin grinned back at her, remembering a time when he had told her how he was going to marry Brian.

And he was about to get tied down forever to the man of his dreams.

The minister started talking, welcoming everyone to their wedding ceremony, and Justin turned his eyes to Brian. He shouldn’t have been surprised to find Brian watching him with that soft look, that Justin had grown to know. It had taken him a while to understand, it was Brian's way to express his love for Justin without saying the words.

Justin got choked on his words as he repeated after the minister, and he was moved when Brian had to clear his throat twice before he could speak clearly.

“I also want to add something else,” Brian said before the minister could ask for the rings.

“It’s too late to change your mind,” Michael teased, amused.

Brian didn’t pay any attention to his best friend, as he kept his eyes on Justin. “I want to tell everyone how lucky I got the night I met Justin.” He glanced at their guests. “Of course, I didn’t know it at the time. I didn’t even know to appreciate Justin, for the longest time. I had to lose him several times to fully understand I had fallen irrevocably in love with him.”

Justin realized holding his tears was a losing battle, when he heard Brian's speech.

Brian returned his eyes on Justin, smiling softly. “I promise to give you the best moments of your life and to always show you how much I love you, Justin.”

Justin could feel his lips trembling. He knew it was the perfect moment for his own speech, only if he could speak. “I love you, too, Brian,” he managed to choke out. “I had this eloquent speech prepared,” he added, chuckling along with their guests. He chewed on his lower lip. “Uh, sometimes it felt like I was trying to climb a mountain which got higher and more difficult to escalate, but everyone knows how stubborn I am. Right now, I feel like I have succeeded in climbing the highest mountain.”

“Write that down, Cynthia. Climbing Mount Kinney,” Brian said toward his secretary and friend. “Very eloquent, Sunshine.”

Justin laughed. “Right, and despite how you try to turn everything into a joke and avoid feelings, I know what a big heart you have. And I know I can always count on you to be there, no matter what. You’ve always been my rock.”

Brian smiled, taking Justin's other hand, and squeezing both of them.

“Extremely beautiful words,” the minister chimed in. “Do you have anything else to add?”

They both shook their heads, lost in each other’s eyes, full of love and promises.

“May I have the rings?” the man asked, looking between Michael and Ben.

But, Nick sprung to his feet, and almost skipped to the elevated area where they stood. He beamed at both his daddies, then handed the minister the box.

Justin realized in that moment why he had felt so anxious the whole day. He wasn’t wearing the ring, because Brian had insisted they should do this properly.

The rest of the ceremony flew by, and Justin felt whole again when Brian slipped his wedding band on his finger. When it was time to share their first married kiss, Brian wrapped both arms around him, pecking his lips.

Justin held him in place, opening his mouth, because for unknown reasons Brian had turned into a prude. Thankfully, Brian returned the kiss, dipping a hand to palm Justin's ass.

“Young eyes,” Ben said in warning, but everyone laughed.

“Later,” Brian whispered against Justin's lips.

“Not much later,” Justin whispered back, keeping their lips pressed together.

 

 

Chapter 55 B by addict_writer
Author's Notes:

 

 

Part Two of the Wedding

 

 

Brian went to Chuck, his DJ from Babylon. “Have you lost your common sense? This party fucking sucks. What’s with the chamber music?”

Chuck grimaced. “Sorry, boss. Emmett instructed me to keep it quiet until your first dance. Then I have a specific playlist.”

“May I see it?” Brian placed his glass of champagne next to Chuck’s laptop.

“I heard Justin was involved in creating it.”

“Still,” Brian insisted, hovering over Chuck’s shoulder. “I hope you have the Babylon playlist in the laptop, too.”

“Emmett made me promise not to fuck it up.”

Brian rolled his eyes, touching Chuck’s shoulder. “You’re already fucking it up. Fine, keep this funeral songs until our first dance. Then, you better pull up the Babylon playlist.”

“Come on, Brian. The playlist is not that bad.”

“You have three songs to impress me,” Brian demanded, before taking his glass and departing, stopping to greet a few of his associates.

He was pulled away from a conversation, which was rapidly turning into business, by Nick. The child tugged at Brian's pant leg, making Brian turn to smile at him. After excusing himself from his associates, he picked Nick up.

“What’s up, kiddo?”

“Have you seen Daddy?”

“Not in a while. He went inside with his sister to give Oliver a nap.”

“Aunt Molly is over there with Nana Jen.” Nick pointed out.

“Did you need Justin? Do you need anything?” Brian asked, ready to go in search of Justin.

“No, but it’s funny how you already lost your husband.”

“Hey, he’s somewhere around here.”

“You better find Daddy. Unc’ Emmett was looking for both of you.”

Brian rolled his eyes. So Emmett had sent Nick on a mission. “Well, you better go and tell Emmett, we will join everyone in a minute.”

Nick nodded, and once he was back on the ground, he ran toward the barn where the tables had been moved. The sky held dark clouds once again, and it looked like it would rain some more.

Brian went inside the house, ready to search for Justin, unsure why he was hiding in there. Then, he heard quiet voices from outside the guest bedroom on the ground floor. He stopped behind the stairs, staring curiously at Justin and none other than Hobbs. It sounded like they were talking about how fast a child was growing.

“I hate to interrupt,” Brian said.

Justin jumped, startled, holding a hand to his chest. “Kill me, why don’t you?”

“We’re expected for the first dance.” Brian held a hand out.

Justin shrugged at Hobbs, who stepped into the guest bedroom, while Justin took Brian's hand. “You fucking scared me.”

“I didn’t know you were so engrossed in giving Hobbs tips about when Oliver would start walking.”

“He’s already struggling to do it,” Justin said, laughing. “I saw him earlier. He’s hilarious.”

“Now tell me something. What sort of atrocious songs are on the playlist? So far, it feels like a funeral.”

Justin laughed loudly, leading the way out the house. “This was Emmett's idea of chill and cozy music. Don’t worry, when I heard Chuck was our DJ, I created the best playlist.”

“Emmett still thinks we’re going to dance on the lame song from your prom?” Brian asked casually.

“Everyone believes that. Even Daphne asked me earlier.”

“Can’t wait to see their faces when they realize we have chosen a different song. I don’t do repeat performances,” Brian said seriously.

“You’re so full of shit,” Justin laughed, as they approached the dancefloor set right inside the barn doors.

Everyone turned to them, when the music ceased.

“Time for the newlyweds’ first dance,” Chuck announced loudly in the microphone.

Brian held Justin loosely, keeping his lips pressed together.

Justin had discovered this song by mistake, and claimed it to be their song, since Brian ever so often lately liked to refer to Justin as his prince. Placebo was a band Justin had always loved, and they had a song called ‘My Sweet Prince’. The lyrics fit their relationship, and it had taken some convincing on Justin's part for Brian to agree to make it their song.

Brian kept his eyes on Justin, ignoring all the gasps around them when they heard the lyrics and the melody. Justin looped his arms around Brian's neck, smiling brightly.

Brian mouthed some of the lyrics, making tears spring into Justin's eyes.

“My sweet prince, you are the one.”

Justin pressed his cheek against Brian's shoulder, sniffing loudly. “I love you.”

Brian kissed his temple, before touching his lips to Justin's ear. “I love you.”

Everyone started clapping around them when the song was over, yet they stood swaying from side to side until a loud, techno beat filled the air.

“Now, this is what I’m talking about,” Brian said cheerfully, taking a step back from Justin.

Justin grinned, “I told you. There might be some songs you won’t expect, but most of them are…dancy.”

Jennifer was the first to approach them. “Can I steal your husband?”

“Which one of us?” Brian teased, but made to place Justin's hand in hers.

“Actually, you,” she said softly.

Justin chuckled. “I’ll go steal your husband, Mom,” he said, amused.

“We’re not married yet,” she called after his retreated form.

“Did you want to talk?” Brian asked, lifting a brow.

“I want to thank you, Brian. You’re a good man, and I know how much you love my son. I might have been difficult and appeared ungrateful at times, but I’ve always known how much you loved him.”

“Always?” Brian repeated, in disbelief.

“The first time I knew you cared for him was when you tried to bring him home, but Craig’s hate made you remind him, and me, frankly, that the way he planned on treating Justin wasn’t love.”

“You know I always said only things I meant, even if they hurt. And here is me thanking you for believing in me and accepting me as your son’s lover.”

“You’re his husband now,” she reminded him, smiling.

Brian grinned, glancing around until he spotted Justin crouched to his son, hugging him tightly. “That he is.” Brian nodded. “I better go and check why Nick is so upset.”

Brian was a few feet away when Nick saw him, and rushed to him. “Tell Daddy, he’s a big meanie.”

Brian caught Justin's eyes, lifting a brow. Justin grabbed Brian's elbow.

“I dare you to cave to his puppy eyes,” Justin hissed.

“What do you want to do?” Brian asked quietly, crouching to Nick’s level.

Nick huffed, folding his arms across his chest. “I want to play the piano.”

“But the piano is inside the house. Look, we already have music,” Brian explained.

“I want to play for you and Daddy,” Nick whined, tears pooling into his eyes.

“Why didn’t you say so?” Justin groaned. “Anyway, maybe after everyone leaves…”

Now! After the party, you will go on your honeymoon.”

Brian laughed, rubbing’s Nick’s back. “We’re leaving next week for our honeymoon,” he explained.

“Now, let’s wipe your eyes and blow your nose.” Justin steered him toward the house.

Brian followed them, and once Nick was snot-free, Brian led them to the living room.

“No one will miss us five minutes,” he reasoned.

“Yes!” Nick clapped, running to his piano. He ruffled through his music sheets, before he started playing a song Brian wasn’t familiar with.

Judging by the shocked look on Justin's face, he knew the song, but it was something he didn’t expect to hear.

“This is a song Ethan taught him. Well, he tried. He also told Nick it was often played to celebrate love. Nick has never played it before,” Justin explained.

The beautiful melody stopped abruptly. “I messed up,” Nick gasped.

Justin went to him, sitting next to him on the bench. “It doesn’t matter. It was very beautiful, baby.”

“Yeah?”

“Yes,” Brian agreed, joining them. “And let me tell you a little secret. Artists never show they messed up. They keep playing as if it never happened.”

Nick covered his face. “I wanted it to be perfect. I know that. Pappy used to tell me the same thing.”

Brian grimaced, but didn’t let Nick see it, as he hugged him tightly.

“That was your son playing?” Hobbs asked from the doorway.

“Did you like it?” Nick perked up. “I know some other songs.”

“Maybe another time. We don’t want to wake your cousin. He’s napping,” Justin hedged.

“He sleeps like a log,” Hobbs dismissed Justin's worry with a hand. “What else do you know how to play? I wanted to take piano as a child, but my father put me in karate classes.”

“Go and entertain your guests.” Nick pushed his daddies away from the bench. “I’ll show Uncle Chris what other songs I know.”

Brian palmed his face. “If you get hungry, come join us outside.”

“Later,” Nick said excitedly, already stacking his music sheets, ready to show them all to his uncle.

Justin hooked an arm around Brian's elbow, walking out the house. “It’s fascinating to watch his personality developing every day. Being bossy is definitely a Gemini trait.”

“I wouldn’t know,” Brian joked. “What is fascinating…is the fact that we can accept Hobbs as part of the family.”

“I knew this moment would come from the first time I accepted him as Molly’s boyfriend. And what you just saw…Nick deciding to share his music with him…that’s proof he’s not the bad guy.” Justin cupped Brian's cheek. “I’m not finding him excuses, but he was influenced by his family. True, it wasn’t his family cracking my head open, but they instilled the hate for gays in him.”

“You’re far too selfless, Sunshine.”

“There you are!” Gus interrupted them. “I’m not sure why is it always me sent in search of the two of you…”

“You found us,” Brian said, rolling his eyes. Of course, their deranged family would send the innocent ones to find them. First Nick, now Gus. And it wasn’t the first time they had sent Gus to find them. “What’s up?”

“No idea. I mean, I heard several reasons: we should eat, it’s toast time, and yeah…some of the family is appalled that you ran inside for…you know.”

Justin groaned. “Come on, or we will never hear the end of it if we send Gus back to lie about finding us in some compromising position.”

“We’re surrounded by prudes,” Brian lamented, wrapping an arm around his son.

#

Emmett had warned both Brian and Justin that they wouldn’t have a quiet moment during the reception.

The toast had felt interminable with their close friends raising, one by one, to each make a heartfelt speech.

Brian had barely managed a bite from the duck, when Lindsay came over. He chewed slowly, staring at her, standing next to him.

“Can we talk after we eat?” he protested.

“Save me a dance, then,” she agreed.

“Sure.”

“Before I escaped inside the house earlier, you know, to show Hobbs were to put Oliver to bed, I was accosted,” Justin said.

“Yeah, at least, you weren’t trying to eat. I’m actually starving,” Brian admitted. “Speaking of Hobbs. Did Nick ever resurface from inside the house?”

“Fuck. No. I think Hobbs got his redemption through listening to Nick playing the piano,” Justin said. He got up, took a healthy gulp from his wine, then rushed out of the barn.

Brian couldn’t understand why Justin was so anal about Nick’s joy in playing the piano. Hobbs had looked honestly interested. And the kid was decent, for a seven-year-old.

“Last minute check-up with you,” Michael said, joining him, taking Justin's seat.

“I knew your life-long dream was to be my husband,” Brian said tersely.

“Stop joking. I’m nervous about the plan.”

“How difficult can it be to be part of ‘the not married people’ making a line before we throw the bouquet?”

“Because I’m married.”

“Not recognized by our country,” Brian pointed out. “Did you try the duck?”

Just then Justin breezed back, leaning between Michael and Brian, showing Brian his phone. “Look at him! He’s so fucking adorable.”

Brian peered down at the screen, amazed at how careful Nick was in the picture. He was sitting in one of the stuffed chairs with Oliver on his lap, feeding him some baby food, closely supervised by Hobbs.

“If you get baby fever, I’m having an annulment,” Brian said in warning.

“Fine, I’ll have to relive the beautiful toddler stage through Oliver.”

“That you do.” Brian nodded firmly.

“He is adorable,” Michael said empathically. “I’ll go try the duck.”

“You do that,” Brian said, feeding himself another piece. “Aren’t you hungry, Justin?”

Justin took his seat. “A little. I also convinced Nick to join us for some food when he was done helping feed his cousin. Shit, I said I’d send Molly inside.” He hurried to her table, making Brian look after him, amused.

#

After enjoying the feast, everyone seemed to have moved to the dance floor. Chuck played upbeat songs, keeping the party alive.

Nick was in the middle of the crowd, dancing with his arms in the air.

“Your son is stealing my best moves,” Emmett said, amused, joining Justin and Brian.

Justin smiled fondly at Nick, then poked his tongue out at Emmett. “He’s a natural. I didn’t teach him how to dance.”

“I’m going to show him how to sway his hips wider,” Emmett said, thoughtfully.

“He’s seven, for fuck’s sake, Emmett,” Brian groaned, but laughed at the sight of Emmett skipping to Nick’s side.

Justin rested his back against Brian's chest, tilting his head to look up at him. “I think Emmett should be more worried about your guests coping a feel at his man.”

My guests,” Brian scoffed, running a hand down Justin's chest, then pulling him flush against his front.

Justin pressed his ass against Brian's tented dress pants, biting his lips. “They are your associates.”

“When do we bring out the cake?” Brian pressed his lips to Justin's ear.

“Later. Whenever we say it. Emmett said…” Justin trailed off, when Brian more or less dragged him out of the barn. “What? You want it now?”

“I want you, now,” Brian said hotly, looking left and right when they were outside.

Jennifer was on the porch with Oliver and Tank, so going inside the house was out of question.

Brian led the way into the stables, behind the barn.

“Whoa! What are you doing?” Justin cried out, but laughed loudly.

“Since we almost got married in the barn, I think it’s appropriate to have a romp in the hay.”

Justin stared at the ballots of hay stacked up at the far back of the stables. After much debates, they were finally getting horses, which would arrive after they returned from the honeymoon.

Brian pushed Justin into the pile of hay, working his pants eagerly. Justin had long ago accepted his entire relationship with Brian was to experience the unexpected. This suppressed all his expectations.

“I got some lube earlier when I was inside,” Brian commented, unzipping his dress pants.

“That’s so kind of you,” Justin snorted.

“Did you want to use spit?” Brian teased.

Justin reached for the hem of Brian's shirt, pulling him on top of him. “Quick, before someone realizes we’re missing. We’ll never hear the end of it.”

“As if they don’t know us.” Brian rolled his eyes, but extracted the foiled of lube he had taken from the kitchen drawer. They had discovered such pocket sized foils of lube were perfect for their adventures in the kitchen.

Justin slapped a hand over his mouth when Brian pushed inside of him after stretching him swiftly. He braced himself with his other hand on Brian's shoulder, wincing at the hay scratching the tender skin on his ass.

“What,” Brian gasped against his mouth. “Hurts?”

“Hay rash,” Justin muttered. “And frankly, I’m afraid I’ll get it up my ass.”

Brian groaned, but wrapped one of Justin's legs around his hip, then rolled them around, so he was the one lying on the hay. “Giddy up, cowboy.” Brian slapped Justin's ass, making him moan loudly. “Sshhhhh!!”

The rush of fucking so close to the party where their guests were enjoying themselves unaware of the newlyweds literally rolling in the hay, had them finding completion sooner than expected.

After zipping up their pants and tucking in their shirts, and making sure their clothes were still pristinely white, they rearranged each other’s bow ties.

Justin led the way out of the stables with a big smile on his face. They ran smack into Emmett.

“There you are! Are we ready for the cake, then throwing the bouquet?” he asked eagerly.

“Sure.” Justin nodded, scratching absently at his neck.

Emmett gave them an once-over, his eyes stopping at Brian's hair. “Is that…what the hell is in your hair, Brian?”

Justin glanced over to see pieces of hay sticking out of Brian's mussed-up hair.

Emmett threw his arms in the air. “If you ever want to renew your vows, forget my number. I’m so done with your behavior.”

“Hey!” Justin hurried after him, catching Emmett close to the house. “We…” He stopped talking, because he couldn’t say they were sorry, or that they wouldn’t have done it if they believed anyone would catch them, but Justin realized how right Brian was about apologizing.

“Forget it, Justin. I’m trying to remind myself at every turn that it’s you two and nothing should surprise me by now.”

Justin winced, scratching vigorously at a spot behind his ear. “Yeah, and I wouldn’t have it any other way,” he grinned, now scratching at his inner elbow.

“Are we ready for the cake?” Jennifer asked, spotting them close to the porch.

“Yup. I’ll bring it. You go back to the party.” Emmett ushered them.

“What happened to you?” Jennifer asked, worried, staring at her son.

“Nothing,” Justin said defensively, rubbing at his cheek. He couldn’t understand why he felt so itchy suddenly. “Come on, Oliver. I think your parents enjoyed themselves too much. Time to disturb them.” He picked the little boy, who giggled gleefully.

“Is that hay in your hair?” His mother followed him. She picked the stray pieces of hay from his hair. “I’m still not sure why you didn’t tell me about getting horses.”

“Why? You don’t like them?” Justin asked curiously.

“I would have told you about the time we took you riding at the country club.”

“That’s why I wanted them. I remember having a good time,” Justin retorted.

“Honey, you were too young to have the full memory. You had a terrible allergic reaction to hay, after feeding one of the horses.”

Justin almost dropped Oliver, as he slowly turned to his mother. But she kept walking, only to stop a few feet ahead and turn to stare at him.

“How badly?” Justin could barely hear his voice.

“We were lucky there was a doctor close-by. You went into shock and only the epi pen helped.”

“Fuck,” he spat, scratching at the tip of his nose. “Send Brian inside the house. Now,” he said, panicked, putting Oliver down then running toward the house.

He nearly collided with Emmett, who saved the cake at the last minute. “Bring Brian now,” Justin shouted, diving for his bag of meds. “I’m going to murder my mom for not telling me before now I’m allergic to fucking hay!”

Emmett left the cake on the table, and ran out the door.

Justin could feel his hands shaking as he looked through his allergy pills, not sure what to take. He had already taken his dose for the day. He felt like crying, when Brian appeared inside the kitchen, looking anxious.

“What happened? Your mom and Emmett said you were having a panic attack.”

“That’s the last of our worries. Let’s hope I don’t go into anaphylactic shock. My mom just said I had a bad reaction to hay during my most prized memory of riding a horse when I was a kid.” Justin slumped against the kitchen cabinet, scratching at his neck. “Fuck, I don’t think I’ve ever had this severe reaction to anything before.”

“Okay, calm down. Did you take any pills?” Brian went closer, but Justin noticed how his hands shook.

“I don’t know what to take…if I’m allowed to take more than one per day.”

Jennifer joined them, lips pursed. “Emmett just told me what you did.”

“My bad, I forgot to run it by you, and let you know I was going to fuck in the hay,” Justin spat.

“No need to get smart.” She sorted through his pills, selecting two of strongest of them. “Water,” she demanded, looking at Brian. “Here, take these. I thought you knew everything you were allergic to.”

Justin swallowed down the pills, standing on unsteady legs. Brian wrapped his arms around him, kissing his temple.

“I didn’t know about the hay. Fuck my life.”

“I’m expecting the full list of your allergy triggers by the end of tomorrow,” Brian said sternly.

“I think I gave one to you when Justin decided to live with you when he was seventeen,” Jennifer said thoughtfully.

Emmett chose that moment to return, with Michael and Drew.

“I’ll have to visit the doctor and get a fresh one,” Justin mumbled. “Take the cake out. We’ll join you in a minute. I need to sit down for a second,” he said to Emmett.

He caught Michael’s terrified eyes, before turning around and heading into the living room. Brian joined him, sitting next to him on the couch. Brian rubbed his back slowly, and Justin appreciate the silence.

“You have no idea how it is to play Russian Roulette with your life when you try something new,” Justin whispered.

“You fucking scared me,” Brian admitted.

“We’re stocking up on epi pens, because I never bothered to buy a new one since I returned to Pittsburgh. I used to have two in New York – one in Ethan’s nightstand and one in the living room…you know, in case…anything happened. I didn’t take them when I packed up because they had expired…and I didn’t buy new ones because I had never used these.”

“Shh. Now relax. You’re fine.”

Justin scratched his head. “I’m not fine, Brian. I never will be fine.”

“Don’t be a drama princess. Come on, the cake awaits us.” He steered Justin toward the back door. “Oh, aim for Debbie when you throw the bouquet.”

“I thought the plan was for Michael to catch it,” Justin said, confused.

Brian shrugged. “He’s right. He’s already married to Ben. For them, it’s legal, and now the certificate is recognized by our state, as well.”

“You got it, then.” Justin beamed, entering the barn. It felt like a slap of reality after his panic attack when he believed he was going to die, to find everyone still dancing and having fun.

Nick rushed to them, clinging to their pants. “Where were you?”

“Around.” Justin crouched to hug his son, fighting the tears in his eyes. It reminded him how he had to take better care of himself, because Nick needed him.

 

 

 

Chapter 55 C by addict_writer
Author's Notes:

 

 

The Wedding - part three + bonus cuteness

 

 

Justin held the bouquet of white lilies, looking into Brian's eyes, trusting him to guide his aim. Brian inclined his head to his right, and Justin grinned, waving the flowers above his head in rhythm with the music Chuck was playing (Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar), before he threw it hard over his right shoulder.

Brian slapped his forehead, and Justin realized too late Brian's right was actually Justin's left.

“Your other right, Sunshine,” he sneered.

Justin turned slowly, to see where the bouquet had landed. His eyes widened when he say Gus staring repulsed at the flowers in front of him.

Brian strolled over, picking up the bouquet, assuring his son that no damage had been done, before carrying it to Debbie, and presenting it to her with a flourish movement. Justin joined Brian, smiling sheepishly.

“What’s this? I’m pretty sure this is no how the throwing of the bouquet works,” Debbie said, shocked.

“It’s not my fault Justin still hasn’t learned the difference between left and right,” Brian joked.

Carl leaned closer to Debbie, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “I hate clichés about proposing to your better half at a wedding, but…”

“The truth is, Deb, we’ve all conspired so Carl would finally make an honest woman of you.” Brian winked.

“We don’t want you living in sin anymore,” Michael joined them.

“Oh!” Debbie cupped her mouth. She turned to Carl slowly, smiling tearfully. “Now that all my boys are legally married, recognized by the state of Pennsylvania, yes. Yes, I will marry you, Carl Horvath!”

Cliff Richard’s song, Congratulations, started playing loudly, making everyone laugh.

Brian decided Chuck was in for a raise for his sense of humor that evening. He had made a point to play appropriate songs for all highlights of the party. Like, when Justin and Jennifer shared a dance, Chuck had found a very appropriate song for them, which was a remix of Mama Said by Metallica; when Michael had dragged Brian to the dance floor, Chuck had played My Best Friend from Queen; when Justin had danced with Emmett and tripped over his feet, Chuck had made sure to accentuate the moment with a remix of the first lyric – I keep on falling – from Alicia Keys’s song Fallin’, which had everyone laughing.

It was a while later, when everyone was enjoying their piece of cake at their own tables, with quiet blues playing in the background.

“This cake is worth living,” Justin said, amused.

Brian pursed his lips. “Too soon.”

“Okay, no jokes about our hay fun.”

Justin.”

“Okay, okay, Grumpy. But if we don’t laugh, I’m about to start bawling.”

“Well, it is serious.”

Justin scooted his chair closer to Brian, polishing his plate. “You have to talk to your friend at the bakery that your husband requests this cake every month. His happiness depends on this mousse goodness.”

“I’ll be sure to think of my sanity and consider a monthly subscription for you.”

Justin nodded emphatically, missing the sarcasm. “I think I’m in love.”

Brian dipped his head to kiss Justin's lips. “I thought you were…with me.”

“Yeah, but it doesn’t compare with this cake.”

Brian laughed loudly.

“Want some?” Justin lifted his fork, waving it above his head, trying to aim for Brian’s mouth.

“No, thanks. I’ve already stepped all over my rules.”

“Oh, live a little.” Justin pressed the fork to Brian's lips, but managed to smudge his nose in the raspberry mousse. Justin arched backwards, licking at Brian's nose. “Yum.”

“Yuck.”

Justin startled so badly, he fell out of his chair, trying to sit up straight. “Nick.”

His son had appeared at their side, staring with disgust at the cake of Brian’s face.

Justin scrambled up, staring sorrowfully at the last piece of cake, now smudging his white dress shirt. It had been a miracle they hadn’t put anything on them up until that point. White clothes often called for dirt.

“Nick, I told you to not…” Jennifer trailed off, her eyes on the shoulder of Justin's shirt.

Justin winced, snatching the napkin, and dabbing at the red and brown mousse, making a bigger mess. “I haven’t outgrown Nick’s age. I still put food on me.”

Jennifer laughed tensely. “Most of the raspberry part is on your neck.”

“Briaaan,” Justin groaned, thrusting him the napkin.

Brian gritted his teeth. “What the fuck did I get myself into? I didn’t sign anything about being your fucking maid.”

“I know you’d rather clean me in other more delicious ways, but we still have guests to entertain,” Justin joked.

“Come on, honey.” Jennifer tried to steer Nick away from them.

“I want to sit with my daddies!” Nick shouted, wrenching away from her.

For both Brian and Justin, hearing Nick referring to both of them as his daddies was something normal. For their guests, it didn’t seem to be normal, because everyone within earshot, who had heard Nick, started talking loudly, at once.

Brian pulled Nick on his lap. “We’ll make it official on Tuesday,” he told Nick softly.

“For real?” Nick’s eyes widened, then he threw his arms around Brian's neck.

“You mentioned you wanted to adopt him on Christmas,” Jennifer said slowly.

“For that, we had to get married first. Since Pennsylvania has finally decided to accept our marriage as lawful, Brian can legally adopt Nick as our son,” Justin said in a snippy voice. “Now, I know you want to spend more time with him, but can’t you accept his wish to stay with us? You’ll have him for yourself for one week from next Saturday,” Justin added in a mollified voice.

She nodded, teary-eyed. After stroking Justin's hair, Jennifer returned to her table.

Justin scowled after her, but Brian reached a hand to cover his knee. “I can’t believe I’m saying this, but you are so lucky your mother accepts you for who you are. She only wants to help, and I guess that’s love.”

Justin cleared his throat, feeling choked up, disabling him from speaking. He leaned closer, kissing Brian's cheek, near his ear, where he whispered. “I’d like to think your mom is happy right now, and that she regrets how she treated you. I love you, Brian.”

“I want to dance!” Nick squirmed out of Brian's lap, interrupting their tender moment. He stopped between their chairs, looking expectantly at them. “With both of you.”

“Right, Boss.” Brian took one of Nick’s hands, lifting a brow at Justin.

Laughing, Justin took Nick’s other hand, allowing his son to take them to the dance floor.

After a few songs, Nick got bored, and went to search for Emmett, who was a better dancing partner.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been so insulted in my life,” Brian said, amused, once they were left alone.

“Please, even a child can see it. You’re hopeless,” Justin teased.

“What?” Brian spat, narrowing his eyes.

“Come on, Brian. If I were to decide whether I wanted you or not, based on your dancing skills, I would have chosen…Ted.” Justin bent over, laughing.

“Is the minister still around? We’re getting a fucking divorce,” Brian shouted, looking around.

Justin smiled tightly at Debbie who was watching them truly worried, before he pulled Brian out of the barn. “Stop scaring our guests.”

“I’m fucking serious, Justin. Your son, sure. He’s seven, what does he know?”

“More than you,” Justin snorted. He looped his arms around Brian's neck. “Come one, woo me with your dancing skills.”

Brian huffed, but fell in an easy rhythm with the song spilling from inside the barn. It was now dark outside, the only lights coming from the fairy string of lights in the trees close-by and around the pillars on the porch.

“What you lack in dancing skills on the dance floor, you over-compensate in the dancing skills between the sheets,” Justin said sweetly.

Brian threw his head back, laughing loudly. Then he pulled Justin flush against his chest. “Promise me to never change.”

“If you promise me the same thing. I mean, don’t learn how to dance on my account,” Justin jested, but Brian knew he understood his words quite clearly.

Michael and Ben joined them, curious what they were doing in the darkness, all alone.

“Just like in tenth grade when you found me in the dark locker room with the janitor,” Brian groaned. “Can’t you stop asking ridiculous questions?”

Michael sputtered, then chuckled nervously. “Your blowing skills must have improved since Justin isn’t naked.”

“I was about to ask, of course, I shouldn’t have tried,” Justin laughed.

“I was giving him a hand job. The janitor, that is,” Brian said hastily.

“Right, you reserved your blow jobs for the gym teacher,” Justin said, amused.

“You learn fast,” Brian grinned.

“I’m sure your life in high school was fascinating. I was wondering what you’d say if I ever tried to base a character and a storyline on that,” Ben commented.

“Since when do you write porn, Ben? Gory porn,” Brian said slowly.

“What’s that?”

“Don’t,” Michael said in warning. “But maybe it will do you some good to sit down with Ben and brainstorm about his new book idea. It might be therapeutic.”

“Use your vast imagination, Ben. I’m sure the book will turn much better than the reality,” Brian said seriously. “What the hell?” He looked up when something wet hit his cheek.

“You felt it too?” Justin asked, looking toward the sky, too. “I thought a bird peed on me.”

“It’s going to start raining,” Ben said thoughtfully, holding a hand palm up.

“Better break the party so everyone can go home, before it starts pouring,” Justin said, hurrying inside the barn.

“So what happened earlier?” Michael demanded, lingering, when Ben followed Justin.

Brian shrugged, wishing he had his cigarettes on him. “I’m starting to see why we kept being stalled in getting the fucking horses. What’s a good replacement for hay?”

“What? What’s that got to do with…” Michael’s eyes widened, then he laughed. “No way, you fucked in the hay.”

Brian scowled at his best friend. “Turns out Justin is severely allergic to hay.”

Michael sobered up instantly. “Shit.”

“You can say that again. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him so scared. He was shaking.”

Michael wrapped his elbow around Brian's. “Remember how you wanted to kill yourself the night Gus was born? Trying to reenact a General Hospital episode again?”

“Don’t even joke about it,” Brian barked. “You don’t know…no one understands…when Justin's life is at stake, I feel like…well, like I’m going to die, too.”

“Because you love him, Brian. Don’t you think I feel the same about Ben? After his last stay at the hospital when he didn’t realize he had run out of one of his meds…” Michael took a shaky breath. “I try not to think that one day, we are going to lose them…the people we love. It won’t hurt any less if it’s us losing them, or them losing us.”

“How the fuck did we end up talking about death?” Brian groaned, pushing Michael toward the barn when big droplets of rain splatted on their heads. “It’s my wedding.”

“Not that long ago, you would have associated this day with your funeral,” he teased.

“What can I say? I grew up.”

#

“How do I look?” Nick turned around to admire himself in the mirror.

Justin glared at him from the doorway. “Spiffy. Now, would you come already?”

“I have to look my best when Brian becomes my daddy officially,” Nick huffed, smoothing the front of his suit jacket.

“You look a million bucks. Hurry, or we will be late for our appointment,” Justin insisted, steering his son out of the house.

“Why couldn’t Brian drive with us there?” Nick asked, once they were in the car.

“Because he had to be at work for a few hours.”

It wasn’t even a Kinnetik problem. Brian had to show up at the police station to explain why a guy had been found passed out from drugs in the Backroom at Babylon. When he had left the house earlier that morning, Brian was ready to fire his manager and kick his drug dealer to the curb.

Justin parked close to the City Hall. Nick skipped by his side as they walked toward the building.

“Shit. I forgot the marriage certificate in the car,” Justin groaned.

“Go. I’ll wait here for Brian,” Nick said, taking a seat on the stone steps.

“Don’t dirty your suit, Nick. Are you sure?” Justin didn’t like the idea of leaving his son alone.

“Go! I can see the car from here.”

Justin nodded, smiling proudly of what a big boy Nick showed to be.

Justin retrieved the piece of paper attesting his union to Brian, and was just locking up when Brian's Corvette pulled up behind the Jeep. He could see Brian was livid, and tried not to create insane scenarios in his head.

“Hey,” Justin greeted him.

Brian, who was looking at the building, turned to him. “What’s Nick doing there all alone?”

“I forgot this. He’s perfectly fine. What happened?”

“Later,” Brian snapped, taking a deep breath. “It’s bad.” It was all he said, and Justin's stomach twisted.

Brian put on a big smile for Nick, when they reached him. “Ready, kiddo?”

“Yes!” Nick glued his hand to Brian's, smiling brightly.

The whole process took a little over thirty minutes. And they left with tears in their eyes.

When they were back on the stone steps, Nick pulled out a neatly folded paper from his pocket.

“This is for you, Brian.”

Brian glanced at Justin, who was just as shocked as Brian. He hadn’t expected for his son to have any present for Brian.

“Well? Open in,” Nick prompted him. “It’s for Brian, don’t look!” He pulled his daddy away.

Justin stared at Brian's face as he read the note from his son. Their son, he reminded himself.

A minute later, Brian crouched to hug Nick, kissing the top of his head. “I promise to always make Justin happy. And I am the one who is honored to be your dad.”

Justin swallowed thickly through the lump in his throat, reaching down to rub Nick’s back. “I love you, baby.”

Nick turned to hug Justin around the waist. He could feel his pants getting wetter at the waistline, so he picked Nick up, stroking his back.

“Coming home?” Justin managed to ask, meeting Brian's wet eyes.

“Yes. I’ll follow you.”

Justin nodded, heading to the Jeep with Nick still clinging to him. He couldn’t wait to have Brian alone and hear what had happened at Babylon. But it seemed they wouldn’t have a moment alone any time soon.

Justin kept a decent speed, and he shouldn’t have been surprised when Brian's car zoomed past him as soon as they left Pittsburgh city limits.

When Justin arrived home, Brian was in the kitchen with a glass of whiskey.

“I’m going to pee,” Nick announced loudly. “Undo my belt buckle.”

“Pleeeease,” Justin said teasingly, working on his son’s belt.

As soon as Nick had disappeared up the stairs, he joined Brian. “Tell me,” he said urgently.

Brian grimaced, downing in glass. “I’m done. For good, this time. I just called Ted to find me a buyer.”

“What,” Justin gasped.

“I said I’m done with Babylon and all the shit it involves.”

“I heard you. I was hoping to have heard you wrong. You love the club.”

“Not when it causes me only trouble. I should have never bothered to reopen it after the bombing.”

Justin winced, pushing away unwanted memories. “But what happened,” he insisted.

“Isn’t it clear? My drug dealer didn’t keep his end of the deal, like I had suspected for quite a while. He sold that guy cocaine, which I prohibited. The guy overdosed. I’m lucky he didn’t fucking die.”

“Holy shit.”

“You can say that again. The cop was kind enough to let me go with an insane fine, because things like this haven’t happened in Babylon since Sap’s era.”

Justin grabbed a bottle of water for himself. “But I see no reason to sell Babylon. Come on. Who knows what troll will buy it?”

“I never said I wanted to sell it. I’ll finally allow the city to build their dream mini mall in that space.”

“Brian!”

“Drop it, Justin,” he said in a tired voice. “Please,” he added softly.

“Okay, let’s celebrate!” Nick skipped into the kitchen with Tank looping after him.

The dog was growing into his larger form, and it was amusing to watch him toppling over and understanding he was bigger than he probably viewed himself.

Brian abandoned his empty glass in the sink, and went to pick Nick up. “What do you want to do?”

“Play video games.”

“Join us, and wipe that sour look from your face,” Brian said teasingly, pulling Justin after him.

“I’ll buy it out. I already own half of it,” Justin said quietly.

“You don’t know what you’re saying. We’ve outgrown clubs, Justin. We’re married.”

“I was afraid you’d say that,” Justin mumbled.

Brian deposited Nick on the couch, then turned to face Justin, placing his hands on his shoulders. “I have been thinking about this for a while. It’s true, you reminded me of the fun we used to have at Babylon, but between Kinnetik and the headache that dealing with Babylon has been lately…I’d rather focus on branching out Kinnetik.”

“Okay, okay. It’s your decision. I guess you’re right about growing up…”

Brian smirked, kissing Justin's lips. “A twat once told me to accept the fact that youth and beauty are fleeting. That time will inevitably leave its mark. And that we should accept our mortality with grace and dignity.”

“What?” Justin frowned.

“You told me that once.”

“I did? I must have been profoundly drunk. I’m not so eloquent when I’m sober.”

Brian laughed, wrapping an arm around Justin's shoulders and turning to face Nick who was looking at them curiously. “Besides, I’d rather spend my evening with my favorite people – you and Nick.”

 

 

End Notes:

 

One ore chapter left  --  the epilogue.

THE EPILOGUE by addict_writer

 

 

Four years later…

Justin drove slowly through the late afternoon traffic on a Friday. He kept glancing at his son through the rearview mirror, expecting to hear whining from him about the planned trip Justin had for him and Brian. Nick had been unusually quiet since Justin had told him about the weekend getaway.

“Are you going to say anything?” Justin asked slowly.

“I promise to not upset Uncle Mike. He said he’d show me some new comic books, and there’s that.”

“Nick, I don’t want to ruin your birthday surprise, but we have something neat planned for you. I want this little trip just with Brian. Do you understand?”

“You only told me a million times. I understand, Dad. Pops is turning fifty – big number.”

“Yes. But don’t mention it to him,” Justin warned.

“How can I? I won’t even see him until Monday,” Nick groaned.

“Which will be his birthday,” Justin continued unperturbed. “We’ll do something fun together – the three of us.”

“And a few days later, I will turn eleven. Can you stop talking to me like I’m a child? I understand you need to go away with Brian.”

Justin rolled his eyes. His son got offended by most of their conversations lately. But Justin could remember being his age, and thinking he was misunderstood.

Not long later, Justin parked in front of Michael's comic book store.

Nick jumped out of the car with his backpack, already heading inside the store. Justin took his time to take the overnight bag from the trunk and the spare keys for the house.

He found Nick on the small couch with a comic book in his hands. Michael was rearranging one of the displays.

“Hi, Michael. I know I promised to be here by four, but traffic was a bitch.”

“No worries. I did maintenance work.” Michael turned to smile at him. His eyes fell on the stuffed duffle bag, and he chuckled. “This reminds me of the beat-up bag you carried around back in the day.”

“You have no idea what a tragedy it was when it fell apart.” Justin shook his head. “So, here’s the spare key to the house. Please drop by to take Tank for a walk and give him food. I’ll leave a note with how much food to give him. Also, you’ll have to check on the horses.”

Michael accepted the set of keys. “Why can’t we just take Tank at our place?” he asked.

“You want that? I didn’t want to impose. He’s a good boy, but the amounts of fur he leaves in his wake…” Justin shuddered.

“I don’t care. I’m sure Nick would love to have him there.”

They both glanced at Nick, who was looking at them. “It’s true. I’d like to have Tank there.”

“It’s settled. We’ll pick him up tomorrow morning. And I will feed the horses,” Michael promised.

“No, I’ll leave them enough food. Just see if they’re okay. Fuck, I’m being paranoid, but it’s the first time we’re going away since we got them,” Justin mumbled.

“No need to worry. I’ve got it. Go and have some fun. God knows Brian needs to loosen up.”

Justin laughed, grinning. “I plan on relaxing him thoroughly.”

“Daaaad.” Nick placed his hands to his ears.

Justin winced, shrugging to Michael, who was laughing. There was no need to explain how his ten year old son knew more than he should about sex. He lived under the same roof with two overly active sexual men, and Justin had lost count of the times Nick had found them in compromising positions over the years.

“I’ll see you on Monday. Do your homework, and don’t upset Michael and Ben.”

“Yeeessss.”

Michael smiled sympathetically, walking Justin to the door. “We’ll have fun. It’s good practice for when we’ll have JR over at the end of June.”

“Right. We promised to visit Gus in New York, once he gets settled in the dorm. So we might visit him in late September.”

“Can I come along?” Nick asked curiously.

“I don’t see why not. We’ll have to figure something so you won’t miss school. I have to go and finish packing before Brian gets home. He told me this morning he had a dinner date with one of his accounts.”

“You relax, too,” Michael said sternly. “Kiss birthday boy from me.”

“Will do. Bye, kiddo!”

“Bye, Dad.”

Justin hurried home, mentally running over the list of things he might have forgotten to pack.

Since the weather had become nice, Brian went to work on his bike. Justin had started his day before Brian had left the house, so seeing the bike parked in front of the garage didn’t immediately worry Justin about Brian arriving home earlier. He could have taken the Corvette.

But when Justin let himself in the house, he noticed Brian's briefcase leaning against the wall in the hallway and his running shoes were missing. It meant he had taken Tank for his evening walk.

Justin hoped this weekend getaway to be a real surprise for Brian, because he had learned his lessons about being obvious.

Justin finished packing their suitcase, and brought it downstairs. He might have been presumptuous to assume Brian would accept to be whisked away for the weekend, but he liked to believe he knew Brian pretty well.

The plane was close to midnight, so Justin wasn’t worried about a tight schedule.

He was enjoying a snack from the secret stash, which Nick didn’t know about, when the front door opened. Justin swallowed the half chewed pretzels, and hid the bag back in the top cabinet.

When Brian didn’t join him in the kitchen, Justin went to check what was holding him.

Brian was standing at the foot of the stairs, staring at the suitcase.

“Hey,” Justin said quietly. He leaned down to scratch behind Tank’s ears, keeping his eyes on Brian. “What’s up?”

Brian turned his eyes slowly to Justin. “What’s going on?”

Justin beamed, proud of himself. He walked closer, looping his arms around Brian's stiff shoulders. “I can surprise you, after all.”

“Surprise?” Brian repeated, unsure.

“Yes. We’re going to Hawaii, to the resort where we spent the honeymoon.”

“When?”

“We should leave in about an hour to be in the airport ahead of our flight, which is near midnight.” Justin searched Brian's eyes, and didn’t like the anxiety reflected there. It wasn’t a look he saw at Brian often. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t think I can take any more surprises,” he said slowly. “I rescheduled my meeting with my client when Shane called and said he wanted to see me urgently.”

“Shane?” Justin had heard that name in the past, but he wasn’t sure who this Shane was.

Brian grimaced. He combed his fingers through Justin's hair. “Don’t panic, because he realized too late he had the test results mix-up. Shane is my oncologist.”

Justin clutched at Brian's shoulder, taking small breaths, because he felt woozy.

“I just told you not to panic. It’s enough, he nearly gave me a heart attack. Thankfully, he realized his mistake before he could give me whatever bad news he had for Bran Kingsley. Shane apologized profoundly. He felt like a tool for scaring me, but when he skimmed over the test results he got, he misread the name.”

“Christ. What sort of doctor is he?” Justin groaned, rubbing Brian's bicep. “Fuck, you scared me for a moment.”

“Trust me. I was fucking terrified on my way to him. I didn’t call you because I knew you were taking Nick to Michael's comic book store.”

“Yeah, right. Nick will stay with Michael and Ben for the weekend. They’re going to come over in the morning and get Tank, and check on the horses. Fuck. I knew I had something to do.”

“I’ll feed them. Then I need a shower,” Brian said.

“I packed your shower gel. Use mine.”

“I fucking hate that one.”

“Yours is smaller – perfect for light travelling.” Justin crouched to pet Tank, who brought over one of his toys.

“I’ll remind you how mine is not so small. Later,” Brian huffed, but left the house laughing.

Justin appreciated that Brian was the one to handle the hay, because he had to pump himself full off antihistamines to be able to be around the hay. Though, he didn’t have a problem riding his horse.

.

.

.

“You finally learned how to keep surprises a secret,” Brian said cheerfully.

“I’m lucky we have a crazy amount of money in the joint account, from selling Babylon. You didn’t notice a couple thousands going missing,” Justin joked.

“That, too.” Brian pulled Justin in his arms, leaning against the railing on the veranda of the luxurious villa.

It was the little hours of the morning, but neither of them was tired after the flights and a light dinner at a restaurant near their resort.

Brian looked up at the full moon, squeezing Justin in his arms. “Thank you.”

“What for?” Justin frowned, tilting his head to meet Brian's eyes.

“Taking me away from sure headaches and uncalled for comments regarding how I’ve been alive for half a century.”

Justin threw his head back, laughing loudly. “That sounds like a loooong time.”

“It is a long time,” Brian said seriously, stroking a hand over Justin's back. “I never expected to reach this age. With the way I used to live…”

“I don’t want you to regret your past, Brian,” Justin said sternly.

“I don’t do regret.”

“Yeah, I believe you,” Justin deadpanned. He cupped Brian's cheek, rubbing his thumb over it. “I wouldn’t have met you if you weren’t…well…if you weren’t you.”

Brian smiled indulgently. “It’s true. I hate to admit it, I would have never gone after you if I had moral and decency. I still can’t believe I didn’t kick you out when I found out you weren’t legal.”

“I’m glad you didn’t.” Justin pulled Brian's head closer, kissing him deeply. “I guess…Happy birthday…even if it’s not today.”

“Don’t speak of that day. Any idea if our dear friends have anything planned for me?”

“No clue,” Justin answered seriously. He knew for a fact, Emmett wanted to know Brian's schedule for his birthday, which meant, there would be a surprise, but Justin had no idea what.

Brian lifted a brow. “You can’t lie to save your life, Sunshine.”

Justin groaned, playing with Brian's hair. “I have no idea. Don’t shoot the messenger.”

“Watch me close myself in a casket again,” Brian joked.

“I’d like to think that our friends have learned to steer clear from morbid present.”

Brian grimaced. “Fifty is closer to doom day than thirty, though.”

“How about we go in the hot tub and enjoy your numbered minutes until doom day,” Justin teased, but his voice was sharp. He loathed how Brian spoke of aging and dying, because he was going to celebrate a birthday he never envisioned reaching. “And I will punch you, if you ever say anything against my husband.”

Brian snorted. “He’s one lucky fucker.” He wrapped his arms around Justin's waist, tightly. “You make me want to live and celebrate many more birthdays. I love you, Justin.”

Tears pooled into Justin's eyes, as he hugged Brian tightly. “I love you, too, Brian. You’re the only person who makes me want to punch you and kiss you and fuck your brains out, at the same time.”

“Can be arranged. Well, minus the punching. Besides, didn’t you know that queers shouldn’t know how to throw a punch? They’ll break a nail, or something,” he said, amused.

Justin laughed loudly.

.

.

.

As they relaxed in the hot tub, Brian wrapped his arms around Justin's shoulders, pulling his back against his chest.

“We should invest in one of these for home.”

“Where the fuck would we put a hot tub?” Justin asked, laughing.

“We’ll find a place. I’ll call an architect.”

“You’re serious.”

“Yes.” Brian dipped his head lower to kiss Justin's lips.

“Is that what you want for your birthday?”

“Hmm…” Brian slid one of his hands down Justin's side, until he cupped Justin's hardening dick. “I want you…inside me.”

Justin tilted his head back, grinning lazily. “Can be arranged.”

Brian returned his smile. “I love you.”

Justin's heart did a flip, like every time, Brian said those words. “I love you,” he returned the words, turning to straddle Brian's legs. “I promise to give you your desired present in bed. I need you now.”

Brian chuckled, palming Justin's ass. “Who am I to deny you?”

“You can’t blame me. I’ve fucked you more times in the past month, than you have fucked me.”

“It’s time to rectify that massive error,” Brian said seriously.

“Nothing better to rectify the error than you massive dick,” Justin purred, biting on Brian's earlobe.

“Did I ever tell you how I love it when you stroke my ego?”

Justin wrapped his fingers around Brian's erection. “I thought you love it when I stroked your dick.”

“Tough call which I love more.” Brian tracing Justin's spine with the tips of his fingers. “You’re not allowed to fall asleep on me, after we leave the hot tub.”

Justin smiled widely, hooking his pinkie around Brian's little finger. “I swear on the memory of Marilyn Monroe.”

Brian threw his head back, laughing loudly. “I taught you well.”

“Now, less talk, more action, Stud.”

Brian knew he was never going to tire of feeling Justin's body against his, wrapped around him, their scents mingling in the air, because he loved him more than he had ever imagined being capable of feeling toward another person.

 

 

 

End Notes:

THE END

See you on the next adventure!

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1825