Gus And Fiona - Young And In Love by Simply written, Simply written
Summary:

Gus and Fiona became best friends at five, in Ireland. They stayed friends on Hawkin's Island. And then spent adolescence on opposite sides of the ocean. Now they are back together for senior year. Gus moves to Ireland to live with his mother. At first Gus is enjoying his time.  Lindsay's new husband is a great guy and Gus enjoys getting closer to his mother.

 

Gus is excited about meeting new people and making new friends but he soon realized that something odd was going on. Fiona's boyfriend, Rowen, acts like he wants to be friends but there is always a negative undercurrent Gus can't quite figure out. Maybe he just didn't like seeing Fi with another guy. He soon realizes that Rowen is not trying to be his friend. Far from it.

 

Gus is in love with Fiona, and Rowen Brennan is going to do his best to make sure he doesn't get her.

 


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Original Female Character, Original Male Character
Tags: None
Genres: Alternate Universe
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 28765 Read: 218 Published: Jan 06, 2024 Updated: Jan 06, 2024
Story Notes:

 

This story was written entirely by Simply written, not by me. I just posted it for her.

~Lorie

1. Chapter 1 by Simply written

2. Chapter 2 by Simply written

3. Chapter 3 by Simply written

4. Chapter 4 by Simply written

5. Chapter 5 by Simply written

6. Chapter 6 by Simply written

7. Chapter 7 by Simply written

Chapter 1 by Simply written

 

Spirit Pass Ranch

 

"Gussy, you aren't really going to go, are you?" Twelve year old Jessi asked as she flung her arms around her big brother's waist. He had just pulled the saddle off of his horse, Catori.

"Jess, you stopped calling me that five years ago. I think I'm a little old to be called that." He set the saddle down on a sawhorse and winked at her.

"You aren't that old. You're not eighteen yet. That is too young to leave home for a year." As she spoke she took a step back and put her hands on her hips.

Justin walked up to the barn but stopped at the stable door and took a step back so he didn't interrupt them, but he stayed close enough to hear them.

Gus smiled at her, what did Emma say? Oh ya, she said Jessi was a spitfire in all the best ways. "Jessi, you know I am going to be living with my mom while she is living in Ireland for a year." He led her to a bale of hay and they sat next to each other.

"Do you really know her? I mean, you haven't lived with her since you were a baby." Jessi continued to try to sway him.

"I know I haven't lived with her much, but she always kept in touch and visited at least once a year. Now she wants me to live with her to meet her new husband, and I will be close to Fiona. I know you don't remember when we spent time there but I loved it."

"The only good thing about that sentence was that it's your mom Lindsay and not the one who almost got you killed." She turned toward her brother and continued, "Well, seeing Fi will be good, too." Jessi dropped her head on Gus' shoulder and said, "But you won't be here. Who will help me with everything?" She threw her arms out in front of her and then dropped her hands in her lap in defeat.

Gus wrapped his arms around his little sister and kissed the top of her head, "Jess, Aaron will help you and you can always call me." 

"I guess Aaron can help me, too. He already helps me with my homework a lot. Since he did most of the same stuff last year, he remembers it better than you."

"And we both know, Aaron is smarter than me," Gus said, making Jessi laugh.

"He is a real brain."

Changing the subject he asked, "You're going to ride Catori for me, right? I know you may not have time every day, but if everyone takes her out on a different day, she will get enough exercise."

"Sure we will. I know Nova will ride him some days, but she helps Willow with their kids a lot."

"Of course she would, they are her cousins and with twin three year olds and now a new baby, they need all kinds of help."

"I like to help, too. Those two terrors are hard to keep up with." Jessi said, standing up.

Gus caught movement at the door and realized it was their dad. "Jess, why don't you go see if Willow needs help. I'll finish up here."

"Ok. Can you give Cookie an extra treat before you leave?"

‘Sure, I'll spoil them all." He bent down and kissed her cheek as she hugged him for a moment before turning around and ran out, not even noticing her dad.

Once she was out of earshot, Gus said, "You can come in, Dad. I saw you lurking." He stood as Justin walked in. In the last year he had passed Justin in height. He had Brian's height and look.

"She didn't convince you to stay, did she?" he asked as he put an arm around Gus' waist.  

"Dad, we've talked about all this."

"I know. I just know how much we'll all miss you. You were great with her, by the way."

"I'll miss you all, too, but I want to get to know Mom better and make sure Grant treats her well.  I only remember her with Mel." Soon after Gus had been kidnapped he had quit calling his other mom by anything other than her first name. "It seems a little odd that she is with a guy now but if they love each other, that is all that counts."

"And, admit it," Justin said, "you want to be near Fiona."

"Dad, she has a boyfriend. They are serious. He would never let her..." Gus stopped mid sentence.

"Do you know something that Kate and Quinn need to know about? Gus, you can't get involved with her love life if she is with someone, however, she is really young. She isn't serious, is she?"

"Just forget it and DON'T tell her parents. She'd kill me."

"Gus, as much as we don't want you to go, we understand it is a good time for you to do this.  Your mom will love having you there and your grandpa will be in Ireland for a couple of months."

"And you are coming for Christmas, right?"

"Yes, we will be there along with Kevin. My mom is going to be with Molly, but she may fly over for New Year's Eve."

"Dad, I really want to go, but when I think about it I get a little queasy."

"That's normal, Gus, and you know if you need us, one of us will be there as fast as we can fly there."

"I know that. I am more nervous about getting to know Mom again and meeting Grant."

"You'll do fine. You know how to take a step back if you need to and you'll be spending some of the time with Fi and the family at the house on the cliffs."

Justin hugged Gus who hugged him back. Gus smiled, "Thanks, Dad, I feel better." He took a breath and then said, "I love you."

"Damn, kid, I wasn't going to get choked up," Justin said as he blinked rapidly. "I love you more than you can imagine. Now, we better get in the house before dinner burns."

"That has happened a few times since she went part time," Gus said as he dropped his arm around Justin's shoulder and they moved toward the house.

 

Five days later Brian was driving Gus to the Denver airport. Gus had a late flight out that night.  He would switch planes in Atlanta and then fly on to Ireland. Both Brian and Gus were quiet the first half of the trip, only talking about Gus' flight times and boarding passes. After they got off the back roads and on the highway, Brian spoke.

"Gus, I know you will have a great time in Ireland and you'll learn a lot. You know so much more about the world than I did at your age." Then he added, "But if you want to come home or..."

"Dad, I know I am always welcome to come home and I know if I need one of you, you will fly out."

"Justin already told you that?"

"He did but he didn't have to. You two have always been there for me. And, I think Mom will be there if I need her, too, but I think I need a little more independence. It gets so easy to depend on both of you. I need to learn to do things for myself."

Brian reached over and squeezed Gus' hand, "I wouldn't let you go if I didn't think you could handle all of this."

"I know, Dad. Aaron and Jess might be the hardest to leave. I kind of feel responsible for them."

"You are a great big brother, but I think this will be really good for Aaron. He will step up and find out how capable he is."

"Ya, that kid is so smart, but sometimes it is so obvious he doubts his decisions without having someone reassure him. He talked to me the other night. He came into my room and just started rambling. He started asking question after question about how to do some day to day things that he really does know how to do."

"You know he feels more comfortable with animals than people sometimes. Remember when we got the ponies first and then the miniature cows. Now we have goats and miniature donkeys and miniature horses. It's hard for me to say no to him." Brian commented.

"Well, you don't say no to any of us very often, but is it harder with him because he looks so much like Dad?"

Brian glanced at him, "I always thought it was because of his quiet soul, but you may be right. I see a little of his mother in his nose but his eyes and smile are just like Justin's."

"Was it hard to decide to adopt him knowing who his real father was? After all that his father had put him through, Dad was willing to raise his father's child as his own."

"There was no discussion. Justin immediately said that Aaron was going to have a stable life and was going to know his true family. I wasn't sure it was the best idea because he had just recently finished therapy."

"Do you have any regrets?"

"No, Gus. I never regretted it. I think Aaron was good for both of us. Justin had loved you since the day you were born. You're my mini me... well, not so mini anymore. I bet by the time I see you next we will be the same height."

"Thanks for letting me do this. I know my moms were not good parents but I think now..."

"Gus, Justin and I talked about this happening someday. We are so glad it happened when you were this age and not a few years ago. We hope you still need us once in a while, but we trust you to make decisions that are right for you." Brian's voice was thick with emotion as he turned toward the airport terminal.

"Thanks, Dad," Gus said as Brian pulled into the line of cars at the departure lane. 

Both men got out of the vehicle and as they pulled suitcases out, a porter came and assisted them. He scanned Gus' pass and took the bags away, along with a generous tip from Brian. 

"That's safe, right, Dad? Most of what I own is in those bags. I was told I won't be able to find pants long enough for me over there."

"I'm sure. They are reliable and the tip I gave him won't hurt." Brian stopped talking and looked at his son. He had grown into such a handsome young man. He opened his arms and Gus stepped close. "Have fun, Gus. Spread your wings. Try new things. Maybe you'll meet a nice young man." He winked at him.

"Dad, you know I'm not opposed to men, if I met the right one, but..."

"You still wonder about Fiona?"

"I'm too young to think about any of that, except having fun and experiencing the world." Gus kissed Brian's cheek. "I'll let you know when I land in Atlanta and I know everything is on time."

Brian hugged him again, "I love you, Gus."

"I love you, too. And, Dad, go home and have sex with Daddy J. You'll both need it." With that Gus sprinted into the terminal. As a tear ran down Brian's face, he had to smile. Gus had finally come to appreciate the fact that his parents loved each other and still needed the other, body, mind, and soul.

 

Ireland

"Gus, we're over here!" Lindsay stood near the luggage carousel with a man standing to her right. Gus waved and strode over to her. He hugged her tightly and kissed her cheek before she could say, "You have gotten so tall. You have always looked like your gorgeous dad, but now you are as tall as he is."

"Not quite, but close." Gus turned to the man next to his mom, "I know we met on a skype call, but it is nice to meet you in person." He extended his hand and Grant opened his arms and stepped toward him and hugged him briefly.

"I'm glad you had a safe trip. Your mom has been on pins and needles all week." Grant put an arm around Lindsay's waist, "No wonder you wanted Brian as the father of your son." He kissed his wife and Gus finally saw what his mom saw in him. He was nothing like his dad or like anyone his mom had dated before, not that he had met many of the men she dated since she was in Europe at the time. Grant wasn't a bad looking guy, but he didn't have any outstanding features. His hair was thinning slightly and he was graying at the temples. He was a couple inches shorter than she was and carried a couple extra pounds around his midsection but their chemistry was so obvious. They loved each other.

After locating all his bags, Gus, with Grant's help, carried the bags to the limo that was waiting for them. Once they were settled Lindsay said, "We don't always ride around in something like this but our vehicles aren't big enough for everything we expected you to bring and this way we could catch up on the ride."

The conversation continued until Gus' phone rang. Lindsay saw his face light up and said, "Go ahead and let Fiona know you are almost there. Tell her to be at our place in an hour."

Gus mouthed the word, thanks, as he pressed the button on his phone. "Hey, Fi!"

"Gus, are you really here?"

"Ya, I'm with Grant and Mom."

"Are you at their house?"

"Not yet. Mom said to come over in an hour."

Lindsay said loudly enough for her to hear, "Tell your mom you're eating dinner with us."

"I am so excited! I'll be there."

"I can't wait to see you, Fi," Gus said softly.

"See you soon," Fiona said as she disconnected the phone.

"Mom, how far is Fiona's house from yours? I know you don't live in the same town, at least your address isn't the same."

Grant answered, "Our place is just out of the city limits in a different postal code but we are only about 10 minutes by car."

"So I should be able to bike there once I get one? Dads said I shouldn't buy a car."

Lindsay looked at her son and smiled, "If you want to get your license, it shouldn't be too hard and once you have it, you will be able to use one of our cars."

"Oh, that's great." The car slowed and the driver turned onto a private road that seemed to wind its way into the country. Gus continued, "Mom, I know you said you had room for me but..." he stopped as a large, historic home came into sight. "Wow, this place looks ancient and very cool at the same time."

"Well, it is over 300 years old, but about thirty years ago, my family had it fully restored, keeping the character but adding the modern luxuries."

"And Grant let me update a few things when I moved in." Lindsay leaned over and kissed his cheek as they stopped by the front door.

"Love, I don't ‘let' you do anything. All of this belongs to you as well as me." He ran a finger down Lindsay's cheek.

Gus realized he liked this man. He got only good vibes from this man. He could see how happy his mom was, which made him more relaxed about the year ahead. 

The door to the vehicle was opened and the driver offered his hand to Lindz, helping her out. Gus chose to get out the other door and by the time the three met by the door, the driver was getting the luggage out of the trunk which he brought to the door. By the time the driver drove away from the house the bags were in the front entry and Gus was taking in the grand old house.

Standing in the foyer,Gus looked up the grand staircase. He felt like he had stepped back 300 years. The rooms on either side of him were very traditional, with furniture that seemed to date back to the time the house was built. His mom saw his expression as he looked around him. "Let me show you where we spend most of our time. Just leave the bags there. We can carry them up in a little while." She led the way to the back of the house.  

The hall led to a door behind the stairs and as they passed through it, they moved back to the 21st century. He followed his mom into a bright, homey area which included a kitchen, dining area, and a family room with stuffed chairs and a large screen TV. One wall was mostly windows and, if he wasn't mistaken, he could see the ocean in the distance. 

"Mom, this view is great. Can you imagine how much Dad would love this?"

"It is beautiful. I would love to have Justin paint it for me. Since he did that exhibit for the museum, I bet he keeps busy. I probably couldn't afford him."

"He is super busy, but you know he would make time to do that for you. Maybe he will when they come for a visit." Gus heard a knock coming from somewhere to the side.

Lindsay pointed down a short hall, "That is probably Fi. Go answer the door before it starts raining and I will give you two a little space. Help yourself to anything in the fridge or pantry. Fi knows her way around." 

Gus noticed how heavy the sky was now and he walked to the door. He wondered why Fi would be spending time here, but the thought disappeared and Fiona stood directly in front of him. The only thing he could think was that she was stunning. It had been almost four years since they had seen each other in person and she had gone from a girl to a woman in that time.

"Holy shit, Gus, you are too tall for me to hug." Fi said. Gus put his arms around her and lifted her off the ground as her arms encircled his neck. As Fi leaned back to look at Gus for a minute he thought she was going to kiss him and in that split second as she started leaning back in, the sky opened up and Gus spun around with Fi still in his arms and he placed her just inside the door and followed her in.

Fi moved around the kitchen making tea and finding a package of cookies while Gus talked about the guy who sat next to him on his transatlantic flight. Gus couldn't take his eyes off of her. She was stunning. Her hair seemed to have more red in it than ever before and he was fairly sure it was natural. She had to be about 5'3" and she had curves in all the right places. When Fi sat across from him at a small cafe table and then said, "What are you staring at? Have I changed that much? Am I ugly or something?"

"Fi, you have changed but only in the best ways. You are ..."

"You don't have to lie, Gus. I know I have gotten fat. Rowen tells me every day."

"Rowen tells you that? I thought you said you two loved each other? Someone who loves you would never..." Gus stood knocking over his chair. "You are not fat. You have the best proportions ever. I have never seen a girl so..." Without thinking about it he took two steps and now at her side, he pulled Fiona to her feet and, wrapping his arms around her he pulled her close and lowered his lips to hers.

For a moment Fi leaned into him and absorbed his power but then she pushed away from him.  "Gus, I can't! If Rowen ever thought..."

Gus saw a flicker of fear cross her face. "I'm sorry, Fi. I shouldn't have done that. He shouldn't make you feel that way, but haven't really slept in over 24 hours. I know better than to do something like that without your permission."

"Awe, Gus. I overreacted. Rowen can be a little possessive, but that is just because I flirt a little too much. I probably was sending off signals. He says I do that." The magical moment of their reunion was gone. "I better go. I am sure you are tired from your trip." Fi reached up and patted Gus' cheek. I will see you soon. I will set up a time for you to meet Rowen. Oh, and my friend, Shea, would be perfect for you. Her boyfriend went off to Uni and they decided they would still be friends but they were better friends now." Fi had been moving to the door as she talked.

"Fiona, I thought you were staying for dinner," Lindsay commented as she walked into the kitchen and saw her at the door.

‘Oh, I'm sorry. I already had something planned and Gus is really tired." She opened the door and turned to Gus, "I'll message you, Gus. We can set up a double date this weekend." And with that Fi was gone.

Lindsay put her arm around Gus' waist, "Did something happen?"

"No, not really. I think I am just a little punchy since I'm tired." He followed Lindsay to the counter and sat on one of the stools near his mother. "Mom, have you ever met this Rowen guy?"

"I have met him but that's about it. You knew she was dating, right?"

"Sure, I did. We don't have any claims on each other, but I get a weird feeling about him.  I know he puts her down. There were a couple times we talked and I got the feeling he may bully her more than that."

"So you think he hits her?"

"I don't know. I'm too tired to think. I'm probably just blowing it out of proportion." He took a deep breath, "I meant to ask, how does Fi know her way around here?"

"We have had Kate help with a couple parties for Grant's work. Fi comes along to help serve. Somehow she has decided that this is the place to come when she's had a fight with her mom.  It hasn't happened often but a couple times she stayed overnight with Kate's permission."

"What did they fight about?"

Lindsay threw some pasta in boiling water, "Now that you mention it, I think it was because of Rowen. I just figured it is just normal growing pains."

Gus yawned and said "It probably is." Laying his head on the counter, he asked, "Is the food going to be ready soon? I'm fading fast."

"Why don't you go upstairs and let Grant know we will eat in about 10 minutes."

"Oh, ya, I better bring my bags up."

"Grant already put them in your room. You are located at the far end of the hall. Your bags will be there. You should see Grant about half the way down. The French doors should be open."

"Thanks, Mom. Oh, and so far, I really like him."

Lindsay moved to him and kissed his cheek, "I'm glad, Gus, because I really love him."

"And he loves you and so do I." Gus kissed her cheek back and headed for the stairs.

 

Gus found his room and opened his first suitcase. He opened the drawers to a dresser and began to put away his clothes. As he closed the now empty bag he heard footsteps behind him. 

"Finding everything alright?" Grant asked from the door.

"I'm too tired to know anything. Oh, fuck..." Gus looked at Grant to see if he looked irritated by his language but he saw no reaction. "Sorry, I really don't usually swear that much. I'm just so tired. I'm so tired I forgot to tell you dinner will be ready ..." he looked at his watch, "Dinner is ready now. Actually five minutes ago."

"Well, I have never known your mother to have something ready on time so I am guessing we will be right on time." Grant put his hand on Gus' shoulder. "Let's eat and then you can sleep as long as you want."

 

After eating dinner, Gus excused himself and went up to his room. He got in the shower and after standing under a hot stream for several minutes. Gus stepped out and dried off. He pulled on some shorts and a t-shirt. As he pulled the blanket back there was a soft knock on the door.  

"Gus, can I come in?" Lindsay's voice came through the door.

"Sure, Mom." 

Lindz walked in with a bottle of water and a plate with some snacks on it, "I thought you might need this." She held up the water. "And you never know when you could use a snack when you are dealing with jet lag."

"Thanks," he said and yawned as he dropped on the bed. "I know we have a lot of things to catch up on but I don't think I can talk much more tonight."

"I don't expect you to." She pulled a second bottle out of her pocket and set it next to the first. "Of course you can go get anything you want out of the kitchen." She sat next to her son and he wrapped his long arms around her.  

"Mom, all I need is sleep, although it seems weird going to bed at 6:00 p.m. Oh, well. Love you."

"Ah, Gus, I love you, too. Sleep as long as you want. I will see you tomorrow."

"Night. Thanks for the water."

Lindsay turned off the light and closed the door. Within minutes Gus was sound asleep.

 

Gus woke up around 2:00 and drank a bottle of water. He hadn't noticed before, but his mom had put some aspirin on the plate as well. It wasn't really aspirin but he remembered it from one of their trips here. All he knew was he had a headache and this should help. Using the second bottle of water he took the pills and then finished that bottle, too. As he laid there, Fiona came back to his mind. She was always pretty but now she was stunning. He would always love her and she loved him. When they were kids they talked about getting married when they grew up, like when they were twenty. Gus got out of bed. He couldn't think about his beautiful friend when she wasn't even free. She was seeing Rowen right now.

After using the bathroom he realized he might want more water, he walked quietly down the hall and then moved down the stairs and went to the kitchen. He wasn't sure if he was hungry but as he grabbed a couple more bottles out of the fridge he saw some pizza and took that out, too.  He took a bite and then put the pieces in the microwave and warmed them for a couple seconds. He grabbed a sweater off a hook by the back door and, along with the pizza, he left the house through the French door. He just needed a little fresh air. It was cool outside and he took a deep breath, taking in the scents that were so familiar. The Ireland countryside had a smell all its own.

After finishing off the pizza he set the container down on a table and moved further out in the yard to get a better view. He stared at the sky. He was half a world away from home but the stars were as beautiful here as they were in the mountains. His mind wandered back to Fi, his Fi. Could he call her that? Somewhere deep in his being he felt something stir. He wasn't sure why but he knew he had come here for a reason. Fi needed him, and he wouldn't be going anywhere until he knew she was safe.

 

 

Chapter 2 by Simply written

 

Late that afternoon, Gus was sitting out on the patio when he received a text from Fiona. The message said, ‘Didn't want to wake you. Tomorrow night, join Rowen and me with a few friends and go to a movie?'

"Gus, was that Fi?"

"It was. She was wondering if I could go out tomorrow. There is a group of her friends going to a movie."

"Of course you can go. It will be good for you to meet a few people before school starts in a couple of weeks."

"I was thinking that, too."

"Rowen will be there?" Lindz asked as she sat on the arm of his chair.

"Ya. Not sure if I want to meet him or not."

"I don't know much about him but you know the saying, ‘Keep your friends close and your enemies closer'? I hope you aren't enemies, but hopefully it will make you feel better once you've met him."

"I know." Gus' phone rang and he looked down and saw Jessi's face flashing on the screen. "It's Jess, Mom. I told her to call when she woke up." He pressed the button, "Hey Jess."

"Whose arm do I see? Is it Fiona?" she asked excitedly.

"Sorry, Jessi. It is just me," Lindsay said, showing her face on his camera for a minute. "I was just leaving to start dinner."

"Bye, Gus' mom."

"Goodbye, Sweetheart." Lindsay waved and, after kissing Gus' head, she moved into the house.

Jessi waved back and once she was gone, she said, "I like this mom. Our dads are the best, but sometimes I wish I had a mom."

Gus smiled, "We do have the best dads, don't we. So what have I missed?"

"Not much. Daddy J let me shop online since we aren't going to get to Denver before school starts and I have grown a lot this summer."

Gus looked at his sister. She had changed a lot. She had lost her little girl look and was now looking much more like a teenager and he wasn't sure he liked it. He would have to talk to Aaron about watching out for her at school. "That's cool."

"Have you seen Fi?" Jess asked.

"I saw her as soon as I got here, and tomorrow night we are going to a movie."

"Ooooo, a date already."

"No. Her boyfriend and some other kids will be there. It will be a way for me to get to know some of my classmates."

"Are you sure you won't punch the guy if he kisses your girlfriend?" she said with her typical cockiness.

He had to smile, "She isn't my girlfriend, Jess. She is a girl and my friend but that is all."

"Hey, Gus," Aaron popped in.

"Love you, Gussy. I have stuff to do."

"Love you, too, Jess."

Aaron and Gus spoke for a few minutes before the phone was passed to Justin and Brian. After talking for a few minutes, Justin said, "Gus, I'm sorry but I have a business call coming in a couple minutes. I love you. We miss you so much already."

"Love you, too, Dad. It will only be a few months until you come and visit." 

Once Justin had left, Brian asked, "So what is the boyfriend like?"

"I haven't met him yet. I will tomorrow night, but Dad, I don't think I'll like him. From what Fi said, I don't think he treats her very well. Maybe I'll meet him and find out I am just protective of her because... well, she was my first girlfriend."

"That's the right attitude. And you're right. You have excellent instincts."

"Thanks, Dad. I'll let you know more after meeting him this weekend. Oh, I was going to ask, does Dad have a new project going? He doesn't usually get a ton of business calls."

"You know he doesn't talk about his work until it is locked down. He never has and never will."

"I know that. You two always keep your business stuff separate. Which I always found funny since you always do everything else together."

They spoke a few more minutes and then disconnected. Gus walked into the kitchen and said, "Hey, Mom, can I help with dinner?"

 

Grant volunteered to drive Gus into the village. As they moved down the winding road, Gus was quiet. After a couple minutes Grant asked, "Is everything alright? You look like you have something on your mind. If you're nervous, don't be. A good looking young man like you will have to beat them off. I have spent a little time with your cousin, Quinn, and the girls still look him up and down when they see him, and you could be his son."

"That's because he's almost my dad's twin."

"That is what Lindsay told me. I think I am just fortunate that your fathers have such a strong relationship or your lovely mama may have married him instead of me."

"Trust me, if that had happened they would have killed each other long ago. And, I'm okay about meeting new people, but Fiona's boyfriend..."

"You still carry a torch for the girl. She is a stunner, and not one of those show pieces. I know that is outdated terminology and I don't want you to think I am looking at high schoolers. Your mom is all the woman I can handle."

"I didn't think you were. I like you, Grant, and I like the way you treat my mom."

"As long as she wants me around, I will do anything I can to make her happy."

"As long as she wants you around?"

"Well, I don't doubt she loves me, but you know your mom. She seems to need adventure and change. I mean, she was married to your other mom. I guess I wonder if she will ever..." He glanced at Gus, "Like I said, I plan to enjoy that beautiful woman."

They entered the village, and as Grant pulled up to a pub he asked, "Do you need a ride home?"

"No, Fi said they would drive me home. I don't know who ‘they' are, but I should be fine."

"If plans change, just give us a call. I am guessing you and your mom talked about the time you would be home?"

"Ya, if it will be later than midnight I'll text and let her know an approximate time." Gus opened the door.

"I see Fi coming your way. Have a great time, and relax."

"Thanks, Grant," Gus said as he shut the door. He turned around to smile at Fi. As he did, he saw a boy coming up behind her, and then the boy spun her around and kissed her. Gus watched his Fi in the arms of someone else and he didn't like it.

He stood there, awkwardly, until a girl about his age appeared at his side. "Hello, gorgeous," she said, taking Gus' arm. "You must be Gus, Fi's friend. And, yes," the girl said looking at Rowen and Fi, "they are disgusting sometimes."

Gus looked at the pretty girl standing next to him. She had thick, curly, copper color hair and the greenest eyes he had ever seen. She was a little taller than Fi but they both had a similar build. "I am. You must be one of Fi's friends that is joining us."

"As far as I know I'm the only friend joining. I'm Shea."

"Rowan, enough. I want you to meet one of my best friends in the world." Fi had finally broken out of Rowen's embrace. "Shea, I see you met Gus. Gus, this is Rowen. Rowen, this is..."

"Let me guess. Gus. The only thing you have been able to talk about in a month." Rowen gave Gus a slight nod. 

"He really does look like Quinn, doesn't he?" Shea said, looking between Gus and Fi. "Gus, I know you are related to him somehow, right?"

"I don't know that I ever got it straight myself, but Quinn and my dad are cousins, although they look more like brothers."

"I'm hungry. Let's get some grub." Rowen wrapped his arm around Fi's neck and started to move toward the pub door. 

Gus smiled at Shea, "Shall we?" He laid a hand on her lower back.

"Oh, we shall!" standing on her tiptoes she kissed Gus' cheek. "I just wanted to get that first kiss out of the way so you don't have to ask me when you want to kiss me goodnight," Shea said as they followed the other couple through the door.

 

Gus had a good time. He really liked Shea, and Rowen was alright. He was a little too self absorbed for Gus' liking, but when he wasn't bragging, he could maybe see what Fi saw in him. After eating fish and chips they went to the small theater and watched the only movie that was playing. Gus couldn't help himself. When Fi and Rowen started kissing he got distracted. 

"You know, I could help get your mind off them," Shea said as she rested her hand on his thigh.

"I'm sorry. I was being rude." Gus put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her a little closer. He kissed the top of her head and, with his free hand, took the one on his thigh and squeezed it gently and then they both focused on the movie again.

When the movie ended, they all got into Rowen's vehicle. They stopped at Shea's cottage and Gus walked her to the door. Gus bent down and kissed her on the lips. It wasn't deep but it was long enough to give Shea hope for another date. Gus' mouth moved to her ear and said, "Call me. Fi has my number." He jogged back to the car and as he opened the door, he turned and waved at her before getting in as Rowen pulled away.

When they arrived at Grant and Lindsay's, Fiona got out of the car along with Gus. "Thanks for being a good sport tonight, Gussy."

"You could have just told me it was going to be a double date."

"Would you have come?"

"Probably not," he admitted. "And I liked her. I had fun."

"Fi, I don't want my dad to eat the head off ya. We need to go."

"Eat the head off ya?" Gus questioned.

"Just a saying. He'll get annoyed if Ro gets home late. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Ok." Gus looked in the door at Rowen, "Thanks for the ride. I had fun."

"Later," Rowen began to drive almost before Fi had the door shut.

 

"So that is your cocky American. He's alright, but it is obvious he still wants you."

"Gus and I never had that kind of relationship. We were just kids. And you saw the way Shea was looking at him. I think she will soon have his full attention."

"She better. He needs to stop looking at you like that." There was a threat in his tone and Fi didn't want to stir him up when they'd had such a good time.

 

"How was your evening? Did you meet a lot of classmates?" Lindsay asked as Gus walked into the family room where she sat with Grant.

"I was duped a little. I met Rowen and a girl named Shea. It was a setup for a double date."

"Was that so bad?" Grant asked.

"No, not at all. I had a good time. Shea is a lot of fun, and she's almost as pretty as Fi..." Gus stopped. 

"I wouldn't say that in front of any of them," Lindsay said. "How was Rowen? Did you get a feeling from him?"

"He thinks very highly of himself, but if Fi can put up with his bullshit ego, I can't condemn him." Gus looked at his mom and step dad. "But that doesn't mean I won't keep an eye on him. I'm going to head to bed. I told Aaron I would call him when I got home. I hope I catch him before they start dinner."

Gus went up to his room and called his little brother. "Hey, Aaron, how's life going?"

"Gus! I'm glad you called. Guess what? One of the miniature horses is pregnant. I'm so excited. The vet said everything is good and that it will be about six months before she is due, then... Sorry, I was talking too much. Did you have your date with Fiona? Did it go well? Did you kiss her?"

Gus had to smile. He really missed Aaron. "Well, it really wasn't a date with Fi. It was Fi and her boyfriend and she had a friend come along for me."

"Is she pretty? What's her name?"

"Her name is Shea, she is very pretty and I like her. It is very cool about the horse." The brothers talked for a few more minutes and then Gus heard someone come in the room.

"Is that Gus? Can I talk to him?" Jessi's voice came through the phone.

"Hey, Jessi!" Gus said loudly.

"Aaron, I need to talk to Gus alone." Gus could tell Jessi was walking out of the room with Aaron's phone.

In the background she heard Aaron call out, "Jessi has a boyfriend."

"Shut up, Aaron!" She yelled back as a door slammed. A minute later he could see she was in her own room. Her face came into view and he smiled at her. "Why did he say that? I wanted to talk to you about Teddy."

"He knew you were going to tell me or he wouldn't have."

"But... he... ya, I know. I think he has a boyfriend, so I can tell on him, too."

Gus really wanted to pursue that comment but knew he needed to let it go for now. "So, tell me about your friend."

"He is really cute, Gussy. His name is Teddy and he just moved here from England." She talked for the next ten minutes until there was a knock on the door. Gus heard someone say something but it wasn't clear. "Dinner is ready. I have to go."

"Alright, Jess. You can tell me more about him next time we talk."

"Okay."

"Jess, does Aaron really have a boyfriend?"

"I don't know for sure, but they spend a lot of time together and I have seen them watching each other. I gotta go. Love you, Gus."

"Love you, too, Jess. Tell our dads I'll talk to them tomorrow."

 

Gus got in bed and thought about his siblings. She could almost see Jessi with Teddy. Whoever she was with would always have to expect her to lead the way. She would never follow a man. She was always strong willed, but still one of the most caring people he knew. Aaron also had that amazing heart. That's what worried him a bit. Aaron was so gentle Gus was afraid someone might step on his heart. Thirteen was such a hard age. He would ask his dads about it tomorrow.

"Gus, are you still awake?" Lindsay tapped very quietly.

"I'm awake," he responded, and she opened his door.

"Did you talk to Aaron?"

"For a few minutes. Jessi blew in and took over."

"I love her spirit."

"So do I." His voice drifted off a little.

"Is something wrong?" Lindz asked as she sat on the edge of his bed.

"No. Jessi was telling me about her new boyfriend but then she mentioned Aaron had a boyfriend, too. That worries me a little bit."

"Gus, I know you wouldn't care if he is gay, so what is bothering you about it?"

"I just don't want him to be hurt. His heart is so timid, and if he really likes this boy, it will be hard for him when it is over."

"You are such a good big brother."

"Maybe I shouldn't have come here. What if they need me?"

"Gus, your dads are there and they are really there. They have always given you all they can and I just got you. I know it is my fault we have been apart so much, but I am so thankful you agreed to come for this school year." She bent and kissed his cheek.

"I'm glad I'm here, Mom, and I'm glad you found such a nice guy."

"Love you. I'll let you sleep."

"Love you, too, Mom."

After Lindsay had closed the door, Gus' mind went back to the mountains where the rest of his family was. He hoped his dads knew about this boyfriend of Aaron's. He didn't want to miss out on this one.

 

When Gus woke up he called his dads. "Talk!" Brian's voice came out clearly but he seemed distracted. It only took a second for him to realize that his dads were kissing.

"Hello?" he said loudly.

"Oh, Gus, glad you called!" Justin's voice got closer to the phone as he heard Brian suck in his breath. He had a feeling Justin had just nailed him in the ribs. "Sorry we didn't get to talk yesterday. Jess said you went on a date."

"Fi set me up with her friend, Shea."

"Was that weird for you?" Brian asked. Both his dads were on screen now.

"It was a little strange, but Fi has a boyfriend and Shea is a lot of fun. I know I don't have a lot of time. I can smell breakfast, but with Jessi in the house I am sure you know about Aaron having a friend."

"She is teasing him a lot."

"Who is this kid? He isn't going to hurt him is he?"

"Awe, Gus, you are worried about him," Justin smiled. "You are such a good brother."

"He's a nice kid. He has been over here a couple times this week. His name is Oliver. One of his dads was killed, and his other dad is a diplomat who will be around part of the time, but he is overseas right now." Brian filled him in.

"So he won't hurt Aaron?"

"Gus, what are you worried about?" Justin asked.

"Aaron is so gentle and look how easily he gives his heart to all the animals. If he falls that hard for Oliver, what will happen to him?"

"You know, Gus, if we thought it would be a negative thing, we would discourage the friendship, but," Justin said softly, "he needs to live his best life, and we all know that life can be hard sometimes."

"Ya, I know, and I know you wouldn't let anything happen to him."

They talked a few more minutes and then they said goodbye. Brian pulled Justin into his arms again and nuzzled his neck. "When are you going to tell him?"

"I think I'll wait until everything is definite. Do you think he is going to be happy about it?"

"I am sure he will be happier than I am about it." Brian began to lower Justin's pants as Justin unzipped Brian's.

"You'll live big boy," Justin said as he dropped to his knees and removed Brian's penis from his fly.

 

Chapter 3 by Simply written

 

Gus had now been in school for nearly a month. He was a novelty. The small village didn't get new students very often. Fi introduced him around and Shea spent time with him, but very soon she had competition. Nearly every girl in the secondary school swooned when he walked past. It was great having people to talk to, however it didn't make him very popular with the boys in the school. None of them trusted the friendly, young American, especially with Rowen making things up about him.

Driving home with his newly acquired international license, Gus was puzzled by his lack of male friends at school. He wished he knew what he was doing wrong. He had never had trouble making friends. Why was Ireland so different? It couldn't just be because of the girls. He was doing nothing to encourage them, and he couldn't think of a way to get them to leave him alone.  Why couldn't they just be friends?

There was some kind of fall party this weekend and Shea asked him to take her. Of course Fi and Rowen would be there. Aaron had made him smile. He told him to just be himself and pretty soon he'd have plenty of friends. His kid brother was really growing up. He never thought he would miss them all so much. Aaron had admitted that he had a ‘friend' but right now they were just friends. "Oh, shit," Gus mumbled to himself when he realized he had missed the turn to the house, so he went on to the Cliffs of Moher. Once he had parked, he texted his mom and told her he'd be a little late. The wind was sharp so he grabbed an old blanket out of the backseat and wrapped it around his shoulders as he got out of the car and let the sound of the ocean draw him nearer to the edge. The ocean was crashing loudly below him.  

After a few minutes the blanket wasn't enough. He turned and moved toward the car. He looked in the distance and saw Kate and Quinn's place. It was the same house they had lived in while visiting when he was a kid. Fi. She always made him feel confused.

Gus had been so deep in thought, he hadn't seen the figure walking toward him. "Are you lost?" a voice came from the side of the cliff.

He spun around. "God, Quinn, where did you come from? Don't tell me. You were down the side of the cliff."

"I was, and what are you doing out this far? Were you coming to see my daughter?"

"Actually, I was daydreaming and missed my turn. I decided since I was almost here, I might as well stop here before turning around."

"And how has school been going? Have you made any new mates?"

Gus' smile disappeared. "I guess school is going alright. I mean I'm not having trouble with any of my subjects but..."

"You don't feel like one of the group yet?"

"That's it. I don't know why, but none of the guys will give me the time of day. I've never had trouble fitting in."

"Well, Gus, I happened to hear something that I think you should know." Quinn draped an arm around his shoulder. "I heard Rowen talking to one of his friends one day when he was visiting Fi. He told his friend that you were causing trouble with Fi and that she couldn't figure a way to get rid of you without... Gus, I know he is a pansy, but he threatened to physically hurt you. When I let him know I heard he tried to convince me he knew I was there and he was just joking. Gus, he hasn't threatened you in any way has he?"

Gus was surprised, "No. He's the only guy that actually talks to me. Do you think he is telling..." Gus paused for a moment. "That fucker has set me up!"

"I really don't know what Fi sees in him, but my girl is too old for us to pick her friends."

Gus took a step away from Quinn and said, "I need to go. I have a date tonight with Shea."

"Gus, as a father and cousin, I need to say, don't do anything stupid. Now, as a family member, I'm here if you need anything and if it helps, Rowen is a coward. He may fluff up like a rooster, but if he is challenged he will either run or fight dirty."

Gus had already started walking to the car before he had finished. He opened the door before he realized he needed to go to the left side of the car. He slammed the door and then rushed to the other side and after a nod of his head he was on the road heading toward home.

Gus didn't even notice Lindsay when he arrived home. He moved through the kitchen and went straight to the stairs. "Gus?" She called but he didn't stop. He went to his room and without thinking, he undressed and got in the shower. Once he was under the pounding water, he started playing through a lot of scenes at school. A group of guys talking, but when they saw him they lowered their voices so he couldn't hear them.

"He has been setting me up this whole time!" He shouted to the ceiling.

"Gus?" Lindsay's upset voice came through the door, "Are you alright in there?"

"Fine!" His voice came out harsh and short.

Lindsay left Gus' room and walked down to Grant's office. She wrapped her arms around his neck. "Hey, Love, was that Gus I just heard shout? Do I need to put him in his place?"

"It was Gus, but something is wrong. He came home late and went straight to his room. I came up to check on him and he just growled out one word."

"I'll go see if he wants to talk to me. He is used to talking to a man."

"Have I told you lately how much I love you?" Lindsay kissed his neck.

"You have, and I'd love for you to show me tonight."

Lindsay laughed, "I think I can manage that. Give him a couple minutes. He's in the shower." 

 

Grant gave his stepson fifteen minutes before walking down the hall to his room. He knocked and waited for him to respond. "Gus, can I come in?"

"Fine," Gus responded. As Grant entered Gus said, "Mom sent you, right? I shouldn't have yelled at her, but she never knows what to say anyway," Gus responded, but it was obvious he was distracted.

"Did something happen?"

 

Gus sighed and then, as he paced, told Grant about missing the road and going to the cliffs. He told him about Quinn showing up and their conversation about Rowen. "So, Rowen's been lying to all guys so all of them hate me. Now I have to figure out how to get the truth out without Fi getting angry with me." Gus dropped to his bed, putting his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. Grant sat next to him. "I've been trying so hard. I know Fi is with him and I tried to like him but I..." his voice cracked. "It's not fair to Shea. I don't want to lead her on. I like her but I don't think my heart will ever totally belong to anyone but Fiona."

"Gus, I am sure you feel that way now, but you are so young."

"Grant, I know you are trying to help but..."

Grant stood, "I'll leave you to get ready, Gus, but know, if you just want to talk, I'm here."

"I appreciate that, Grant. Now, I better get dressed. If you go downstairs, please tell Mom I'll be down in about fifteen minutes."

"I will, Gus."

As he got dressed, Gus started trying to come up with the best way to handle the situation. He decided to approach it head on. He tried to call his dad but Brian didn't answer, but by the time he drove to Shea's he had a plan.

 

Gus had gone to the door and met Shea's mother. Connie was an older version of her daughter. She was friendly and full of life. "Well, Gus Cain, it is so nice to meet you."

"It is nice to meet you, too, but my last name is Taylor-Kinney. We are related to the Cains, though."

"Awe, that's right. I met Brian Kinney once when you spent your time here and his partner, Justin Taylor has made quite a name for himself."

"Ya, Dad is really good. He always seems to have a big project developing."

"Ma, we need to get to the party."

"Have fun, and remember if you are going to be late to text." She took a couple photos of the couple and then they moved out to the car.

"Sorry about all that, Gus. Ma really likes to talk."

"I liked her," Gus said and then he focused on the road. His mind went back to his plan on how to deal with Rowen.

Shea talked for a couple minutes before she realized Gus wasn't paying any attention to her. After saying his name twice, she reached over and tapped his shoulder, "I hope I am not boring you," she snipped.

He flashed her a quick smile, "I'm sorry, Shea. I still keep forgetting what side of the road to drive on and..."

"And?" She smiled at him, letting him know she wasn't angry.

 

"You know what Rowen has been doing, don't you?" Out of the corner of his eye he saw her head drop.

After a haltering breath she said, "I'm sorry, Gus. I do know, but I... I didn't know what to do. Rowen can be fun but he can be cruel, and he knows things. Things that would kill my mother if he told her.

Gus pulled the car to the side of the road and turned to her, "Shea, has he hurt you? If he..."

"You know we went out a few times before he got with Fi. Well, for a while after he started seeing Fiona, he would still meet me and we would... Gus, we had sex. Fi wouldn't do it and he came to me and told me he would spread it around school that I was easy if I didn't keep seeing him. I finally convinced him Fi was getting suspicious."

"Or Fi started having sex with him," Gus thought out loud. "I'm sorry, Shea. He is a real ass."

"My mom doesn't know I've had sex. She is kind of old fashioned that way." She touched his cheek. "You are so sweet."

As Gus pulled back on the road lightning streaked across the sky. The only sound was the rumble of the motor and distant thunder as they drove the last mile. Before they got out of the car, Gus said, "I'm going to confront him tonight. I thought maybe I could reason with him. If I disappear for a while tonight, just figure I'm talking to him."

Shea looked at him, "Gus, be really careful. He isn't afraid to fight."

"Neither am I. You and Fiona are worth it." Gus started to open his door.

"Thanks, Gus," she smiled. "Oh, and as far as I know, Fi is as pure as the driven snow. Well, maybe not pure... but you know what I mean."

Gus got out and walked around to open Shea's door. He pulled her close and kissed her, "Thanks for that. It's just that she has been my best friend for almost all my life."

Shea looked up into his deep brown eyes and said, "Gus, I know you are a genuine guy. There aren't many like you. You treat me like a princess, but I know you who owns your heart. That silly girl will eventually see what's right in front of her." She stepped up on tiptoes and kissed him. "Now, let's go knock Rowan off his high horse and onto his arse."

Gus grinned, "You know if I hadn't been in love with Fi for as long as I can remember, I would be all over you." They move toward the door, arms around each other.

"Ya know, I wouldn't mind having you..." she laughed and as they felt the first drops of rain, they ran into the building.

 

Gus enjoyed himself on the dance floor with Shea, but also danced with a couple other girls he knew from classes. While he was out on the floor he kept an eye on Rowen. He lost track of him for a couple of moments. His mind quickly went to Fiona's safety, so he let out a sigh of relief when he saw her walking toward him.

"Hey, Shea, do you mind if I dance with Gus while Rowen is out having a smoke."

"He's all yours. I might go see if I can get a puff off of one of his fags."

Fi called after her friend, "You know those things will kill you." As Gus reached for Fi, the upbeat music that had been playing stopped and a slow, traditional waltz began. "You don't mind, do you?" she asked him. 

"Not at all," Fi stepped close to him but did leave a little space between them. "I think we learned how to do this dance back on the island, didn't we?"

"We did," Gus pulled her a little closer. "Fi, why are you going out with that asshole? Do you know what he has been doing? He has been telling everyone lies about me and that's why none of the guys want to hang out with me. Rowen is..." He pulled Fi even closer.

"Gus, he is really sweet when it is the two of us. He wants everyone to think he is the tough guy but..." Fi took a large step backward and Gus didn't have to ask why. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Rowen stride back inside one arm around Shea's neck until he saw Fi with Gus. He then dropped his arm from Gus' date and started moving toward them.

"Excuse me, Fi, but the time has come to get this sorted out."

"Gus, I don't think..." Fi began but Shea walked over and stopped her. "No, Fi. He needs to do this."

"But what if..."

"I think Gus can take care of himself."

"He can, when it's a fair fight." As they talked, they watched Gus approach Rowen, but although they couldn't hear what was said, Rowen followed Gus out the same door he had just entered.

 

"What is it, Yank?" Rowen asked Gus in a voice that was supposed to be friendly but Gus heard the sarcastic undertone.

Gus followed a path outside the building. He didn't want to turn to make sure Rowen was following but he was sure he heard footsteps behind him. What he couldn't tell was if it was just one person or a group. 

Once he thought they were far enough from the building to be out of range to be overheard, Gus turned to face Rowen. He was glad to see only one person behind him although he was sure there were a couple shadows several yards behind them.

"Rowen, I want to know why you are lying to everyone about me. You seem to be trying to make sure I'm not accepted here."

Rowen leaned against a light pole, "Could be I don't want you to get too comfortable here. You strode in here like a cock in a new hen house." He stood up and took a couple steps closer to Gus. "A pretty, rich boy with two fairy fathers. You come here trying to take my girl, but that's not going to happen. You see," he looked over his shoulder, making sure his backup was still waiting nearby. He lowered his voice so they couldn't hear what he said. "My mates will believe anything I say, so I talked shit about you and your family. They know how you are related to the Cain clan and most of them know they have murdered people. Then I told them you have been calling Fi trying to force her to come back to you. You will have no friends here. And as for Fi, that beauty will soon be mine in every sense of the word. I wonder if she is as soft and warm on the inside as she..."

 

At that moment the rain began again. There was a crash of thunder that distracted Rowen just long enough for Gus' fist to connect with his jaw. He gave him no time to raise his fists or for his bodyguards to make it to his side. Soon it was Gus against Rowen and his goons. He had never been in a fight before. After one of the boys landed a glancing blow to Gus' solar plexus a survival instinct kicked in. He had spent hours in martial arts classes at his school in Colorado.  He didn't want to hurt anyone. He just wanted to clear the air with Rowen and move on. Gus did well the first few moves, but then the fact it was three against one caught up with him. Rowen's buddies each got one of Gus' arms and held him while Rowen pummeled Gus' midsection.

Somewhere in the back of his mind he heard the word FIGHT float through the air and then more movement. The movement distracted Rowen enough for Gus to kick up and catch him center mass, sending him flying back about six feet just as the local garda rushed up. The two that were holding Gus up let go of him and he crumbled to the ground holding his stomach.

 

Gus had a vague memory of what happened after that but he wasn't fully conscious again until he was laying on an exam table, being poked and prodded by a young doctor. He tried to sit up but the woman laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Lay back while I'm checking you out. You took some hard blows. And after looking at the other three you got in a few punches yourself." She gave him a shot, "This should help the pain."

"Are they alright?"

A voice came from the corner of the room. He hadn't noticed the officer standing there. "Two have minor scrapes but young Rowen is being checked for a concussion and possibly a broken clavicle. You have some explaining to do."

"That will have to wait until my examination of Mr. Taylor-Kinney is completed. Stand there and be quiet."              

"But he is awake."

"Another word and you will wait out in the hall. This young man is no threat to me. He was thoroughly beaten. He was beaten by three others." 

The garda closed his mouth and said, "I will go check on the other three." He slipped out of the room.

"Thank you," Gus softly, cringing as the doctor pressed on his abdomen. A tear slipped down his cheek. "Do you know if my mom has been called? I think I'm in a lot of trouble."

"Yes, I was told your mom and dad are on their way, and you may be in some trouble but I am sure you didn't start this, did you?"

Gus didn't correct the doctor that Grant wasn't his dad. That wasn't important at this time. "Actually, I threw the first punch but it was because of what Rowen said." The pain med was affecting him now. "Is he mean? Do you know that guy?" His eyes were now fluttering shut.

"The garda is fair, and from the injuries, you may have started it but it is obvious they were ready for it and had a plan of sorts."

In a drug induced haze now, Gus mumbled, "I want my dads."

 

"Did Gus tell you he was having trouble?" Lindsay asked Grant as he flew down the road to the nearest hospital.

"My love," he told me Rowen was stirring up dust, but that is all he told me. "Did you get a hold of him?"

"I did. He will meet us at the hospital. I can't believe that my baby is in the hospital because three other boys attacked him."

"We haven't heard from Gus. We do need to find out the facts." Grant turned into the hospital parking lot and Lindsay was out before the car was turned off. "Lindsay," Grant grabbed her arm just before she got to the door. "You see if you can see Gus. I will talk to the garda and see what story they have." He took Lindsay in his arms and kissed her. "Please remember you are not in America right now. Our laws are different for children, and Gus is a child."

"What would I do without you here?" LIndsay said as she took his hand and they walked into the emergency unit together.

 

An hour later they were sitting in the waiting room. Gus had been sleeping but Lindsay was able to look in on him. His face was bruised and from the nurse's report, his stomach was also full of marks but far too soon they asked her to go sit in the waiting room while Gus went to have some tests done.

Lindz and Grant sat side by side in worn chairs. "What did you find out, Grant?"

"Gus admitted he did strike first, but it was because of something Rowen said. He also said the girls tried to come here but the garda sent them home."

"What could that boy have said to make our sweet Gus hit him?"

"I am sure it had to do with Fi."

"He does love her, doesn't he. He won't admit it but I'm sure it is killing him to see her with someone like him."

Grant wrapped his arms around her, "Shut your eyes for a few minutes, Love. They will get us when he wakes up."

 

Lindsay's eyes fluttered open when she felt a hand on her arm. "You're here!" she said in a loud whisper as she jumped up and hugged him. "Have you seen  him yet?"

"The nurse said he was just starting to stir.  Do you have any details? Why was Gus fighting with anyone?"

"Let's just talk to Gus and get it from him. He was on pain meds last night and he wasn't making a lot of sense." Lindsay and the new visitor walked toward the desk as Grant slept on.

 

"Gus, how are you feeling?" a nurse asked.

"My ribs really hurt. Are they broken?"

 

"There are a couple fractures which is why we taped them."

"Are you up to seeing your mom and dad now?"

Gus almost corrected her but he was fine with Grant coming in. In fact, she would probably help keep her calm. She tended to over react. "Sure. Did they stay here all night?"

"Your mom did, but your dad just arrived. I'll send them in right after you take this pill. I am hoping you don't need another shot but if the pain is too bad let a nurse know." She stepped in the hall letting the door close behind her.

Gus reached up to run his finger through his hair but had to stop as intense pain moved through his chest. He thought it was odd that Grant hadn't been here all night. He was so devoted to her.

Lindsay rushed into the room and over to her son, kissing his cheek and forehead. Gus smiled up at her and, seeing her concern, he said, "Mom, I'll be fine."

"Oh, Gus, thank god!" 

"DAD!" Gus' head snapped toward the door and there he saw Justin moving toward him. Then Justin was by his side and, as gently as he could, he held his son in his arms and Gus began to cry. "You're really here!  You didn't have to come. Wait, how are you here already?"

"Calm down, Gussy. You need to rest and I will be around as long as you need me."

"Dad, can you stay with me at least until I fall asleep. My med is starting to kick in and I want to know how you got here."

Justin carefully slipped into the bed next to his son. "All of the questions can wait until you get some sleep." Justin lay next to his son who was nearly a grown man. He brushed a lock of hair off his forehead. Although Gus appeared to be sleeping he softly said, "I'll take you back home if you want to come with me."

 

Chapter 4 by Simply written

 

Gus' eyes fluttered open and he smiled when he realized it wasn't a dream. Justin still lay beside him. Justin smiled back. "Hey, Gus. I'd ask how you are feeling but I'll do that when you've had a chance to really wake up. The doctor was in a bit ago and you are going to be able to go home later today. They didn't find anything that would keep you..."

"Dad, what are you doing here? How did you get here so fast?" Gus interrupted.

"I had to come to Europe for a business meeting. I was planning on surprising you next weekend. I was in Milan when I got the call from Lindsay and took the first flight here."

Gus slowly reached over and gave his dad the best hug he could manage with the binding around his chest and the pain moving caused. Justin moved so Gus could get his arm around him. Gus said softly, "All I wanted was my dads and you appeared. I thought I was dreaming."

"You know one of us would have come as quickly as we could, and your mom was here, along with Grant. What do you think of Grant, by the way?"

"I really like him. He is a great guy for Mom. He keeps her balanced."

"I'm glad she found him. Now, do you want to tell me how you came to be here?" He sat up to stretch and offered Gus some water.  

He took a long drink through the straw before he told Justin about what had been going on. He told him about Rowen sabotaging him by lying to the guys. "One thing he said was that Fi told him I tried to sleep with any girl, whether or not they had a boyfriend."

"Oh, Gus, that couldn't be farther from the truth. You would never do that."

"If I was going to ever try that it would be to get Fi back, but I didn't." His voice trembled a little. "Dad, how much trouble am I in?"

"I should probably go find out if your mom has heard anything. Brian was contacting Mel so I am hoping we have the name of a local solicitor if we need one."

"I wish he hadn't contacted her. I don't want her to think we owe her."

"She owes you far more than the name of a solicitor."

The door opened and a young nurse walked in. "I have been asked to help you get dressed.  Your mom brought in some fresh clothes." She raised the bag in her hand.

"I'll go and find out what the plan is." Justin kissed Gus' forehead and left him with the nurse.

 

Justin found Grant and Lindsay talking to a police officer in the waiting room. Grant was saying, "My stepson would not have started the fight without a good reason. He is not that type of young man."

"Gus has never been that kid," Justin jumped in.

"And you are?" the garda síochána asked.

Justin offered his hand and the garda síochána shook it as Justin answered, "I am Justin Taylor, Gus' father."

"We will need to talk to your son to get his side of the story. We have heard several versions and feel we have the facts sorted. He definitely threw the first punch and the last kick but we also know that it started out one on one and ended up three against one."

"Sir, Gus has admitted that. What kind of trouble could he be in?"

"It isn't me who gets to decide that. Unless one of the families, mainly Rowen's, puts in a complaint, he will get off with a minor warning. But Rowen needed surgery. His clavicle needed to be reset. Your son is lucky that the garda arrived in time to see him being held by the other two or he would be up against some disciplinary actions. So when can I talk to your son?"

"We are going to be taking Gus back to our home today," Lindsay commented. "Could you come to our place tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow morning, 8:00 a.m.!" he stated.

Justin interjected, "Could you make it 10:00? He is going to be moving slow in the morning with those bruises and cracked ribs."

"10:00. He isn't to go anywhere until I get there."

"He isn't going anywhere but to the sofa or his bed," Grant assured him as the garda walked away. "I'll go get the car and be waiting nearby."

"Thank you, darling." Lindsay said, kissing him before he walked away. She looked at Justin, "Isn't he the best?"

"He seems like a great guy, and Gus really likes him."

"Let's go get our son and take him home. Can you stay for a while?"

"I moved all my appointments back a week. Hopefully everything will be worked out by then. I will be in Italy for at least two more weeks. If I'm needed, I can be here in a few hours."

"I am so glad you are here." Lindz hugged Justin before they walked into Gus' room.

 

An hour later, Gus was on the sofa in the family room. Justin was upstairs putting his suitcase in a guest room when his phone rang. He answered, "Hey, Brian, I was trying to wait a little longer so I didn't wake you."

"I haven't slept well since I got the call. Thanks for the texts. Did he get home?"

"We got home about 20 minutes ago. He is resting near Lindsay while I put my bag in one of the guest bedrooms right next to Gus'. Oh, Brian, it looks like Gus isn't going to get into too much trouble but he looked so, well, broken when I got there. He has a bruise on his cheek bone, but he is in pain from the cracked ribs."

"Should I come? I'm sure everyone on the ranch would help with the kids."

"I would love to see you, and so would Gus, but you really couldn't do anything. The garda is coming tomorrow to talk to all of us and then we will know a lot more."

"Fuck, I feel so helpless over here and I miss you so much."

"Ah, Bri, I miss you, too. I love you and tell Jess and Aaron how much I miss them, too. I will text you when the police leave here tomorrow.  Although Rowen's family has some power in town, I could tell he had an open mind to hear what really happened."

"Sunshine, I love you. Call whenever. I don't care if you do wake me up."

"I love you, too. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

 

There was a knock on the door and Lindsay went to answer it. He heard Fiona's voice and then footsteps. "Gus, are you up to a visitor?"

"Sure," he said and tried to sit up a little. He let himself fall back. "I'm not my normal, suave self," he joked as Fiona came around the sofa where he could see her.

"I've seen you throw up your guts when you had the flu on the island. I think I can handle this look."

"I'm going to check on your dad. I want to make sure he has everything he needs. Fi, come find me if you need anything," Lindsay said before leaving them alone.

Fi sat on an ottoman near Gus, but neither said anything until Lindsay was well out of earshot. Then Fi said in a soft voice, "I am so sorry, Gus. I didn't know he would take it this far, and you should have known better than confront him all by yourself."

"Fi, it really wasn't a confrontation until he made it one. I just wanted a truce so I could make some friends and relieve the tension in the school."

"You should have talked to me. I would have told you Rowen would not take it well. I've been trying to get him to back off, but the more I try, the more he starts going on about me wanting to be with you."

Gus slowly reached out and captured her hand in his, "Fiona, why do you stay with someone like that?"

"Because he can..."

"Be really nice and sweet."

"Did Shea tell you that?"

"She mentioned that he wasn't always an ass."

"Especially when they were in the backseat of his car." Gus' mouth dropped open. "Shea doesn't think I know about them but I had a feeling it went on and one night Row admitted it."

"When he was trying to talk you into the back of his car? Fiona, you deserve so much better than someone like him."

Fi's phone sounded and she looked at the message. "Gus, I have to go. I just wanted to check on you."

He held her hand tighter for a minute. "Is that him?"

"Gus, I need to go." She pulled her hand out of his and she stood up. "I told him I was stopping here. He's waiting at my place for me."

"Fi, don't let him threaten you."

"I'll talk to you later." Fi made a dash for the door and was gone before he could even sit up and watch her go.

Gus hated feeling like he couldn't do anything to help her. He scrolled through his phone and dialed Quinn.

"Gus, I hope you are on the mend. I hear Justin is here. I hope to ..."

"Quinn, he would love to see you and Kate but are you at home right now or is Kate there?"

Now Quinn heard the concern in his voice. "I think Katie is there and I am on my way home now. What is it?"

"Fi was just here. She said Rowen was at your house and I think he threatened her. He hates me and he doesn't want her to come near me."

"I'll be there in five minutes. Thanks, Gus." And Quinn was off the line.

"Who were you talking to, sweetheart?" Lindsay said as she and Justin walked into the family room.  

"I was hoping to see Fi," Justin commented.

"Rowen called her and threatened her. She had to leave. I called Quinn because I don't trust him."

Justin moved around the sofa and sat down next to his son. "I don't know who this ass is, but I'm about ready to bring in a solicitor. Do you know this kid's family?" He asked Lindsay.

"I know they have enough money to have some importance," she replied.

"I don't know if I would say important," Grant said as he walked it. "How much do you know about the mob here?"

"Well, since Brian is part of the Cain family, I know enough. How do the Cain's fit into this?" Justin asked as he put an arm around Gus while he leaned against him.

"I don't know the whole story, but the Brennans and the Cains have a history that goes way back. Until World War II they were associates but after the war they ended up on opposite sides.  I heard the Brennans did something during the war that even the Cains couldn't accept, or the other story is, the Brennans got caught doing something they all agreed to and the Cain's left them to take the fall."

"Would Quinn know about this?" Justin asked.

"I would guess he does." Grant continued, "Gus, I can see you are getting tired."

"I guess I am. Dad," he looked at Justin. "Can you help me upstairs? And I really need to know what is happening with Fi and Quinn."

"Let's get you upstairs and then I will check with Quinn." 

As they walked toward the stairs, Lindsay said, "When you talk to Quinn, invite them for dinner tomorrow. Tell them 6:30. I'll understand if they already have plans."

 

Quinn arrived home and found Rowen sitting on the back steps. Before getting out of the car he took a deep breath and then stepped out. He knew Rowen didn't like him because of their family history. For the first time he wondered if Rowen was just using his daughter because of their ancestors. 

"Brennan, what are you doing here?" He could see Rowen's eyes shift from side to side as if he was looking for an escape route if he needed it.

"Um, Fi is on her way. I just got here ahead of her," he mumbled as he stood up.

"I thought she was going to spend time with Gus."

At the use of Gus' name, Rowen reached up to his collar bone. His arm was in a sling from his recent surgery. "Ah, you're home early."

"Why do I make you so nervous, Rowen?" Quinn looked around, "How did you get here? I don't see a car here. Oh! You can't drive right now, can you?" Quinn smiled slightly.

"Looks like Fi isn't coming. I'll call for a ride." He started to struggle to get his phone out of his pocket. As he did, Quinn moved closer. "You and I are going to have a talk, lad, before you go anywhere. I know you called Fi to come home and I know what you did to Gus."

Rowen stood as tall as he could and said, "Of course you would believe anything another Cain said."

"Step off your Brennan high horse and listen. The Cains and Brennans worked together until your clan started to play dirty, just like you did the other night. You couldn't take him on yourself? You aren't man enough?" He took a hold of Rowen's shirt.

"Dad! Stop!" Fi called out as she came out of nowhere and stood nearby.

"Do you really think I would let this thug ruin my reputation?" Quinn abruptly let go of Rowen, almost causing him to fall. Fiona reached out to steady him but as soon as he had his balance, Rowen ripped his good arm out of her grip.

"We need to talk," he said looking at Fi. "I need a ride home."

"Rowen, how did you get here?"

"I was dropped off. I expected you would be home by the time I got here."

Quinn spoke up again. "If I were you, I would show my daughter some respect. She is not going to drive you home and I truly hope I can convince her to send you home for good. She deserves so much better than the likes of you."

"I can drive him home, Quinn." She didn't call him Dad this time.

"No, Fi. He threatened you, didn't he? He insisted you come home?"

"I was about ready to come home anyway. Gus needs his rest. He is still in a lot of pain."

A smirk crossed Rowen's face. When Quinn saw the corners of his mouth go up he tapped Rowen's shoulder. Rowen's smirk changed to a grimace. "Looks like Gus got a few good shots in and he didn't need any chums to help."

"He doesn't have any chums," he said under his breath.

At that point, Fiona had enough. With her stepfather next to her she had nothing to fear. "Row, we are done. I can't be with someone who thinks it is fun to hurt someone. You act so big and tough but you couldn't talk to Gus like a human being. You are so insecure you can't deal with someone with confidence."

"So I suppose you will go running to him now. Bet you will let HIM in your pants, or has he already been in them?"

"That's enough. You have a mobile phone, right?" Rowen nodded. "Good then you can call someone to pick you up and start walking towards town."

"But... I don't know who to call."

"Then I guess you have a long walk ahead of you. Don't come back here and don't think you can work your way back into Fi's good graces. If she feels you have made changes it is solely her decision. You have a long road ahead to get back into her good graces."

Rowen looked at Fi expecting her to say something. They all heard a car coming around the side of the house and as Quinn turned to see Kate's car come into view, Rowen whispered to Fi, "You don't know what you just did. You are going to regret this." And then, as he started to walk away, he pulled out his phone to call for a ride.

"I didn't see Rowen's car. Does he need a ride home?" Kate asked as she walked up to her husband and daughter. She then noticed Quinn's eyes following the boy and Fi on the verge of tears.

"I have obviously missed something." She kissed Quinn but then moved to her daughter and wrapped Fi in her arms. "What is it, Love?. Did you and Rowen have a fight? If Quinn got involved, it must have been quite a row."

"Oh, mama!" Fi turned into her mother's arms and began to sob.

 

Justin called Quinn as he had promised Gus he would do. "Justin, how is Gus?"

"He's napping right now but he asked me to call you. If he hadn't taken a pain pill, he would never have fallen asleep. Did you see Rowen? Is Fi ok?"

"Last I saw of him, he was walking his ass down the drive. He targeted Gus because of the Cains. I couldn't decide if he was using Fi for the same reason."

"How is she?"

"She is hurting, but that daughter of ours is tough. She broke up with him right there and then. Please thank Gus for letting me know."

"Thank him yourself. Lindsay and Grant invited you to dinner tomorrow if you don't have plans. Then we can catch up. Getting this information about Rowen and the Cains, I think I will contact the solicitor that Mel contacted for us. She connected us with him because he is an expert on the local mobs here. He may know about the local undercurrent. We can talk tomorrow night."

"I'll have Kate call Lindsay for the details. It will be so good to see you, mate."

"I've missed you, too, Quinn. See you tomorrow."

 

Once they had hung up, Justin called the solicitor's office. After being put on hold for a few moments, Robby Ryan, esquire came on the line. "Hello, Mr. Kinney, I wondered if I would hear from you."

"Thank you for picking up this late on a Friday."

"I always have time for a Cain. Back in the day my father earned his pay by getting your grandfather and his clan out of jail as much as possible. Now I make my living by running the nonprofit the Cains have set up. This is a nice change for me, doing real criminal law." He jumped back in, adding, "Not that I am glad your son has met up with a Brennan."

"Mr. Ryan..."

"Robbie, please."

"Robbie, this is Justin Taylor, not Brian. I was already in Europe so I was able to get here more quickly than Brian."

"Oh, I love your work. We have a piece up here in the office. I am guessing you didn't call to talk about art. How is your son?"

"Gus will be fine from the beating, but I am worried that Rowen Brennan isn't done. Would you be free tomorrow evening? We are having dinner here at Gus' mothers and Quinn Cain will be here. I know it is a long shot that you are free."

"Sounds good. I haven't had time in the country for a long time. What time should I be there?"

"Will 5:00 work? We will have time to talk before we eat."

"Sounds good. Do you know of a place where I could get a room?"

"Quinn and Kate run a bed and breakfast. I will make sure you have a local place to stay if they don't have a vacancy, but I think they do."

"Thanks, Justin. Send me the address."

"I'll text it. I'll see you tomorrow night."

"I look forward to it."

 

Fiona was glad it was Saturday. She hadn't slept well. All she could think about was what Rowen had said before he left and the look on his face when he threatened her. Had he ever cared about her? Was he after her because of Quinn? 

Shea had called. That usually made her feel good, but this time it didn't help her mood. Rowen had texted Shea last night and ‘cried on her shoulder' about a setup at the bed and breakfast and how Quinn was crazy. "Did that all really happen, Fiona?" she had asked. How could she have even asked that? 

Fi had responded, "Did you go and make him feel better?" and Shea's silence said it all. Rowen was already back with Shea. Shea eventually mumbled something about not having the powerful family she had, to get somewhere in the world. 

Kate asked her daughter to freshen up the room at the end of the hall. Fi did as she was asked and once she had opened the windows for the seabreeze to do most of the work, she decided it made more sense to see if her mom needed help than sit and mope.

As the day went on, she felt a little better. She helped her mom make croissants for dinner that night and the rest of the dough would be left in the refrigerator to make a pastry in the morning. She found out their guest for the night, Robbie Ryan, was the Cain family solicitor. He would be at dinner at Lindsay and Grant's. As she got ready she couldn't stop thinking about what trouble Gus might be in. 

Fi wandered to the kitchen where Kate was taking the rolls out of the oven. She smiled at her daughter and asked, "Are you all right, Love? You have had a rough few days and I know that the rift between Rowen and Gus has been hard on you."

"I am just confused. Did Row only date me because of my connection to the Cains? Was I just fooling myself about my feelings for Gus, or am I feeling this way for Gus because of what Rowen did to us?"

"I am not butting into your life, Fi, but may I make a suggestion? Gus is here for several months.  Give yourself time to gain your balance before you make any serious decisions. I love you, my girl." Kate hugged her daughter tightly. 

Fi wrapped her arms around Kate in return, "I promise, Mama. I love you, too."


 

Chapter 5 by Simply written

 

Justin heard the knock on the door and called, "I've got it, Lindz." It was exactly 5:00.

"You can meet in the library.  That will give you some privacy," her voice came from the kitchen where she was working on dinner.

Opening the door he found a man about his age, and if a person can look like their voice, Robby Ryan looked as Justin had pictured him. "Mr. Ryan, please, come in." 

"Robbie, please." He offered his hand to Justin. "And you are Justin Taylor. I recognise you from some media event you had. Your image doesn't do you justice, just like photographs don't do your work justice." 

"Justin is good."

Robbie looked around the foyer, "This is a great old house. I can see the updates, but they kept the essence of the place." He commented as he followed Justin through a nearby doorway.

Justin directed him to a chair and sat down in a chair across from him. "I am sure Lindsay and Grant would love to show you around later, but right now, I am interested in knowing what you have found out about Rowen Brennan."

"Of course you are. How is Gus doing? It sounded like Brennan did a number on him."

"He did. Gus held his own against the three of them."

"I heard the last kick he got in is the one that broke his collarbone."

Justin looked at Robbie. He was about his height and had red hair and freckles. At first glance, he looked like an easy going, good natured person, but Justin immediately noticed a spark in his eyes that told him this man was much more than the first impression. "Yes, Gus has had about five years of martial arts, but I think this is the first time he had to use it in a real life situation."

"It was," Gus said as he moved into the library. "Since this is about me, I wanted to hear what's going on." He was still moving very slowly and Justin got up to help him sit down with no sudden jolts.

"Gus, this is Mr. Ryan. He is the lawyer your mom... Mel, called." Gus hadn't called her mom since he was kidnapped because of her.

Robbie stood and stepped over to Gus, extending his hand. "Just call me Robbie. Melanie and I have tried a few cases together. She's a great lawyer."

"Glad she's good at something," Gus mumbled.

"She told me that you two weren't close and said it was her fault, but she must love you or she wouldn't have contacted me."

Justin saw Gus was about to continue the conversation and knew they had other things to talk about. "Robbie, you were about to tell me what you had found out about the Brennan's."

"The family has tried to go legitimate, but old habits die hard. They are still a bit shady, but most of the clan is now keeping out of trouble. I think young Rowen is just proof that family traits run deep. I have heard he is trying to get his granda's attention."

"Robbie, I don't want to rush you, but more guests will be here soon. Is Gus going to be charged with anything?"

"Ah, I'm sorry. I have a tendency to be a blatherskite, especially when I start talking about the old mobs.The garda are not charging Gus with anything. However, although the Brennans have cleaned up their ways, they will still try to get something for nothing. And with your connection to their old enemies, the Cains, they may try to get money from you. It is well known that you and your husband have done very well financially."

"I just wanted to talk to him. He's the one that set up a trap. My dads shouldn't have to pay anything." Gus jumped up but then doubled over in pain. 

Justin rushed to him and had him sit down again. "Gussy, calm down." He sat on the arm of the chair and draped his arm around him.

Robbie dropped to his knees in front of Gus, and putting his hands on Gus' knees said, "I will take care of it. If I need you to come to court it will be to get money from them for the injuries he caused to you. I am ashamed at how my countryman has treated you." Robbie stood and said, "Why don't I go round up a cup of tea from your mother. Without waiting for a response, he stood and walked out of the room.

After he left Gus said, "Sorry, Dad. I just... maybe I should just go back to Colorado. I don't know how the other kids will react at school and I don't think Fi wants anything to do with me." He took a careful breath as tears began to run down his face. "Why am I feeling so... I don't even know how I feel."

"Awe, son, you have every right to feel unsettled, but I think some of it is because of the painkillers you have been taking. I'll contact the doctor tomorrow and see if he has something else you can take during the day and just take the strong stuff at night."

"I think it is making me feel weird but I still think I should go home."

"Gus, give it a couple days. Let Robbie get some things settled and Fi will be here tonight. You have always been able to talk to her and she has always been honest with you."

"Ya, but Dad, if she doesn't want anything to do with me... I don't know if I could handle it. You are only going to be here a few more days and..."

Justin leaned down and kissed the top of his head. "Let's take it one moment at a time and I can change my schedule if I need to. You are more important than any business meeting."

Moments later Lindsay walked in with water and was going to start asking questions, but Justin shook his head back and forth just enough so she would notice and mouthed the word, ‘later'. She leaned down and kissed Gus' cheek, handing him a mug of tea. "Kate, Quinn, and Fi will be here soon."

Justin replied, "We'll be out as soon as he finishes his tea."

After she had left them, Gus looked at Justin. "Thanks, Dad, for cutting her off. I love her but sometimes she just doesn't get the hint I need a little space." He looked up at Justin, "How can I answer questions when I don't have anything myself?" He took a sip of tea and set it down next to him. "And one more question," he smirked at his father. "Can you explain why they are so hooked on tea here?"

Justin smiled at him, "I like a cup now and then but, no, I could never figure that out either."

After finishing the tea, Justin had helped Gus stand up just as he heard the sound of a car pulling up. "Dad, I'll be out after I use the bathroom."

"Take your time. You might want to wash your face, too." His finger traced a trail left by a tear. "I won't send Fi in. Come find us when you are ready."

 

"Justin, it is so good to see you!" Kate hugged him and then stepped back and looked at him more closely. "I see a little age on you but in all the best ways."

"Thanks, Kate. You look wonderful! You look content."

"I am. I think we all are happy, although Fi talks about moving back to America. How is Gus?"

"Mom, quit hogging Justin." Fi walked up to them and Justin reached out and put an arm around her waist.  

"Fi, you aren't 12 anymore!" He looked at the stunning young woman. "You have turned into a beautiful young lady."

Fi blushed, "Thanks, Justin, but you are so sweet you would always say things like that." She kissed his cheek. "Gus told me you are around a couple more days. By the way, where is Gus?"

"He should be here in a minute."

Grant stepped up and said, "Lindsay said we have about half an hour until dinner is ready. I thought we could start going over our options for Gus. I can stay in here while the parents talk with Robbie."

"Sounds good to me," Robbie responded. "Maybe we can get this out of the way and then enjoy the rest of the weekend. Quinn, would you mind sitting in with us? You know the Brennans and their ways."

"Sure, no problem." 

Kate spoke up, "Grant, why don't you go with them. You're part of this co-parenting group. Fi and I can watch over the meal."

"I don't need to be there," Grant began. "I am not his father. I don't want to overstep."

Justin looked over at the man, "Please join us, Grant. Gus would like you to be part of it, I'm sure." He then looked at Kate, "Thanks, Kate."

Grant led the way into a formal living room at the front of the house. As soon as the group passed the door of the library, Gus slipped out and walked toward the kitchen. Justin stopped to watch his beautiful, strong son move slowly and carefully toward Fi's voice. 

Quinn put a hand on his shoulder, "Justin, he is on the mend and you are the best medicine he could have."

"Thanks, Quinn, but I think your daughter is all he really needs right now."

 

Gus slipped into the kitchen and saw Fi and Kate by the stove. He moved toward the kitchen island near them and had just sat down when Fiona turned around and let out a little cry in surprise. "Oh, Gus, I didn't hear you come in." She set a plate of food on the counter and walked around to Gus. She reached out to the now fading bruise on his cheek and rested her hand on it for a second. "It is looking better. How are you feeling?"

Before he could answer, Kate turned and looked at the two. "Well, Gus," she said in her lilting accent. "I am glad you are on the mend."

"Hi Kate." He turned back to Fi and took her hand. He squeezed it and then loosened the grip but didn't let it drop. "I'm still in some pain but I can tell it is getting better. Where was everyone else going?" He nodded toward the front of the house.

Kate came around and gave Gus a gentle hug, "We've been worried about you. They are talking with Robbie about possible outcomes."

"I think I will go see if I need to be worried."

"Gus, you don't have to worry. I think it is Rowen who should be shaking now."

"I hope so. I'll be back. I am going to listen to my own fate."

 

"So, the Brennans have left the Cain's alone recently?" Robbie was asking Quinn as Gus walked in.

"They have. It is the old Mr. Brennan, who had a few run-ins with my granda years ago that hasn't moved away from their old ways. It sounds like Rowen's da has made himself clear that he is no longer thinking the old way. That's why I hadn't worried too much about Fi spending time with him. I had no idea he had been spending so much time with the old man."

While he had talked, Gus walked over and sat on the arm of the chair Justin was sitting in. "So am I going to be able to leave the country? If I am, I think I should just go back to Colorado."

"Oh, Gus, NO," Lindsay responded. I was supposed to get you, sorry that sounds wrong but you know what I mean, until the spring."

"Mom, I just don't think..."

"Gus, let me take all this information to the judge tomorrow. Don't make any rash decisions."

Gus looked over at his mom and said, "I really do want to spend the rest of the time here but I've been so much trouble, and even if Rowen lightens up, how do I go back to school with everyone knowing I got him in trouble."

Justin rested an arm across one of Gus' legs, "I think Robbie's right. Let's see the outcome. Your dad and I would never say you must stay here and neither would your mom," He looked at Lindz who nodded slightly, "but you love Ireland."

Fiona stepped in the room and said, "Mama said dinner is ready to eat and it isn't her fault if everything dries out."

 

Everyone enjoyed the meal. They stayed away from what the judge would decide and the conversation drifted to the antics Fiona and Gus got to while growing up on the island so many years ago. By the end of the meal the conversation turned to stories between Quinn and Robbie about the old days of the mob. They had both grown up with the stories and the adults were all enjoying the conversation. They had called Brian and skyped him in so he could join in the conversation.

Fi looked at Gus and said, "Gus, you're looking tired. Why don't we go someplace so you can relax a little."

"Sounds like a plan," he said as he got up.

"Fi, why don't you grab a couple of those pastries I planned for dessert," Lindsay said. "Grab a couple waters or sodas, too." 

Soon Fi was following Gus up the steps. Even though he was still moving a little awkwardly, she couldn't help but look at his ass as he moved in front of her. His thick dark hair and trim body made him a perfect specimen. She knew some girls liked the boys who were broader and muscle bound, but Gus had muscles and was no weakling. Then she reprimanded herself. The last thing she needed was to get involved with Gus. He was her best friend and he would only be in the area a few months. She wouldn't risk their friendship over a fleeting relationship. As they entered his room she wondered if he would even be interested. She had basically lied to him. She had known some of the crap Rowen was doing.

Gus sank into a chair that was near the window while Fi set down the dessert and drinks on a little table next to him before she sat down on the bed. They had both joined in the conversation at dinner but they really hadn't spoken one on one since she had stopped by the day he had gotten out of the hospital. The silence finally got to her.

"Gus, I am so sorry. I should have known he was going to pull something like that. He had dropped enough hints along the way."

"Quinn said he got home before you did that day so he didn't have a chance to do anything?"

"He threatened me and it scared me, but Quinn wasn't playing. I have never seen him more angry. He kept himself in check but Rowen knew better than to push him. Quinn can seem very different when he goes into Cain mode."

"Cain mode?" Gus questioned.

"I just mean he was raised by a gangster and he doesn't show that side very often. He never liked the unlawful side of the family but he had learned a lot from that part of his life and Rowen knew he was serious." Fi knew she was rambling.

"Fiona, what do you think is going to happen at school? If Rowen is gone, do you think I can get some of them to interact with me? Do you think some of them will accept me?"

"I know a lot of the kids wanted to be friends but they were too scared of Rowen to do that."

"Is that true or are you just saying that to make me feel better?"

Fi stood and walked over to Gus' chair. Gus took his feet off the footrest and she pulled the ottoman up next to it. She sat on it and took his hand. The warmth of her hand sent an involuntary shiver through him. "Are you cold? I can get you a blanket?" Fi commented in response.

Gus shook his head. "No, I'm good. So was what you said true?"

"Gus, Rowen had everyone under his control. He has always been a leader and when he was a kid, he might have been a little pushy, but over time he started being more and more of a bully. I should have known better. I was sure he wouldn't act like that with me. I was so wrong and all this is my fault." Tears rolled down her cheek as she leaned into him, careful not to cause him pain.

Gus put an arm around her and whispered, "Ah, Fi, you aren't to blame. It isn't your fault you are the most amazing person in the world."

Fiona turned to look at him and before either realized it, their lips brushed against each other. Gus pulled her closer to deepen the kiss but had to stop as pain ran through his side. "Shit!"

She jumped up and away from him, "Oh, I shouldn't have... I can't do anything right."

Gus stood, stepping over to her. He wrapped his arms around her from behind her, "I am healing. I was the one that thought he'd play fair," he whispered in her ear. He turned Fi around and this time, nothing got in the way. He pulled her near and this time he was much less gentle as his mouth again went to hers and as her arms went around his neck. 

After a couple minutes, they both nearly jumped apart. "Fi, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that. I know you are still... I don't know where you are with your relationship with Rowen. Neither of us..."

"You can't think I would ever go back to him after what he did to you and then he threatened me! If I can help it, I will never speak to him again, even if I have to see him." She realized she was talking too loudly. She took a deep breath. How could one kiss have her feeling like this? Kissing Rowen had never made her feel like this. "I didn't mean to yell. The only thing wrong about that kiss is that I... my mind isn't in the right place."

From the hall they both heard footsteps and then a tap on the door. "Fi, we are about to leave," Kate said from the other side of the door."

"You can come in, Kate." Gus put more space between Fi and himself. 

She entered the room and looked from Gus to her daughter, "Sorry to interrupt but we need to get home. Robbie is ready to settle down for the night and since we run the B and B..." She smiled at the young people.

"That's okay. I am getting really tired anyway and I am going back to school tomorrow, for at least part of the day."

"I'm ready to go, Mama." Fi turned to Gus and said, "I'll see you tomorrow. If you need any help tomorrow, let me know." She kissed his cheek and walked to the door.

"Thanks, I should be fine. Goodnight."

As Fi and Kate approached the steps, Kate stopped her daughter. "I don't need to know what is going on, Love, but I will listen anytime you want to talk."

"Thanks, Mama. I am not sure what is going on but I do know I need to keep some space between Gus and me. He confuses me."

Kate hugged her, "Awe, honey, I understand that and I think Gus understands too. Give yourself time. You have plenty of time."

 

After Fi had left, Gus washed his face and laid on his bed. He jumped when his phone rang. He looked at it and answered, "Hey, Dad." His voice was a little flat.

Brian heard the inflection immediately. "What's going on, Gus? Justin said you were having dinner with the family tonight. Is your pain worse?"

"No, I'm doing ok."

"Gus, you know your dad is the one who has all the right words and I know he is still there. For me, you just need to spell it out."

Gus took a deep breath and said, "I don't know what to expect with the judge tomorrow, and I don't know if I want to go back to school here, and... I'm in love with Fi, Dad. I didn't mean to fall in love with her but I did."

"Oh, Gus, not the best timing, huh?"

"Dad, I just want to pack and go back to Colorado, but I really don't want to leave Fi now but she is more confused than I am and..." Brian texted Justin that Gus might need him.

"Gus, does Fi feel the same way?"

"I don't know. She is confused about Rowen and..."

Justin stepped in the door and listened to Brian's voice on speaker phone, talking to their son. "Gus, you know I'd love for you to come home, but what I want probably isn't what is right for you. We all miss you, but I think, as long as you are safe, you should try to stick it out."

Gus was a bit surprised when Justin sat on the edge of his bed. Justin said, "Gus, I agree with him. Hi, Bri." Justin said, putting his head next to Gus'. 

"Gus I love you and I will welcome you home with open arms anytime you want to come here, but why don't we talk tomorrow after school. Then we will know what the judge has said and Justin will have some promises from the school. Does that sound fair?"

"Ya, I know I'm not thinking straight."

"Love will do that to you. Everytime I see your dad, my heart skips a beat and right now, I would really like him here with me." 

"I love you, too, Brian. I'll call you later."

"Love you both. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"I love you, too, Dad, and tell the kids I will talk to them tomorrow."

The call was completed and Justin looked at Gus, "Love?"

Gus told Justin about his time with Fi. "Dad, you know we have loved each other for a long time but something changed tonight. Dad, I'm in love with her. This isn't just a kid thing." He sat up and hugged him. "Should I just go home?" Gus then pulled away a bit and looked at his dad. 

"I heard what Brian said. I plan to talk to the school dean tomorrow before I go to the courthouse."

Gus sat up straighter and then said, "Dad, can I go with you to the trial, or whatever it is? I want to see Rowen. He'll be there, right?"

"Yes, he will be. You know you aren't in any trouble with that, right?"

"I am not going to run. I can't. I need to see what might be between Fiona and me. I want to show the judge what Rowen did to me and I want to face him to show him I'm not going to back down."



 

Chapter 6 by Simply written

 

The next morning, Lindsay and Justin left the house together. Justin had made an appointment with the dean of the school and Lindsay insisted on going along. He would be leaving for Italy the next morning and he needed to know Gus was safe here, or he would send him home. His first instinct was to book the ticket, but his son was in love. Gus needed enough time to know if it was the real thing or if it was just memories from the past.

When Gus' parents left the school, they both felt reassured that the school was looking out for Gus. They were assured that Rowen Brennon was no longer welcome at this institution. Now they could just hope that the judge also restricted Rowen.

Grant and Gus were waiting at the hearing room when Lindsay and Justin walked in. Grant put an arm around his wife's waist and said, "So, what happened at the school?"

"We were assured that Rowen will never be allowed to return to this school," Lindsay said as she rested her head on his shoulder for a moment.

Gus looked to his dad for reassurance, "He really won't be back?"

"No, even if the ruling is for leniency, Rowen won't feel welcome around here." The voice came from behind them. Robbie Ryan, Esquire, strode up. He looked up at Gus' strained face, "Young man, you are not at fault here and I will make sure that is clear, although I think the judge knows that. He is a fair and intelligent man."

Moments later the small group were called into the hearing room. Gus had not prepared himself for seeing Rowen again. He immediately made note that Rowen still had his arm in a sling, but had no other signs of the fight. For a split second, when their eyes met, Gus was sure he was going to come over the table at him. But then he realized Rowen's look wasn't hatred, but instead, fear. He sat between two men. Gus was sure the one was a lawyer, since he was standing up and offering his hand to Robbie. The other man had to be Rowen's father. He glowered at his son. Robbie finished his words with the other lawyer and guided Gus to his seat.

It was only moments later when they were told to rise and the judge walked in. It was less than fifteen minutes later when they rose again and the judge strode out. Lindsay reached for Gus and gave him a big hug.

"Is it really over? I'm totally in the clear?" Gus said as he moved for a hug from his father as well.

"Yes, Gus, you are free and clear," Robbie patted his shoulder. "Unlike the lad Rowen," he said softly. He looked over Gus' shoulder as a bailiff led Rowen away. 

"So, he is really going to jail?"

"He will be here for a couple days before he is escorted to his army training," Robbie responded.

"Excuse me," a deep voice came from behind.

No one had heard Mr. Brennan walk up behind them. Gus turned around and said, "Sir, I am sorry about Rowen. I never wanted to..."

"It isn't your fault, lad. My father tried to get Rowen back into the old ways. The Army will do him good. He needs to learn how to get respect and give it. My father will not be alive when he gets out. He has cancer and, unless there is a miracle, and he doesn't deserve any, he won't be around this time next year so, in some ways, this may have saved my son's life. I do regret that he injured you so badly."

Justin slipped his arm around Gus' waist as he stepped up and offered his hand to Mr. Brennan.  "Gus is getting better and there was no permanent damage. We wish Rowen all the best."

"Well, that is all I wanted to say. I am supposed to have a chance to talk to him before he leaves, so I will be off." The men shook hands again and Mr. Brennan left the hearing room.

"Oh, Gus, I am so glad you will be staying here." Lindsay hugged her son while Grant patted his back. 

"Can we just get out of here? I need to go to school," Gus said, not liking all the attention. He walked toward the door. As they got to the outside door he turned to Justin, "You'll be here tonight, right?"

"Yes, I will leave in the morning,"

"Ok, well, I'm going to school." With that, Gus walked away without turning around.

 

When Gus entered the school he found Shea waiting at the door. "Gus, what happened? What did the judge say to you and Rowen?"

Gus looked at the girl he had taken to that eventful dance and now he could see that she had only been going out with him because of Rowen. Rowen wasn't interested in her for anything but sex. "Hate to disappoint you, but I will be completing the year here."

"Oh, Gus, that doesn't disappoint me. I didn't mean..." She looked into his eyes and continued, "He made me do it. He knew I loved him and would do anything for him." 

Gus noticed she kept looking toward the courthouse across the road. "Shea, he isn't coming back to school. The judge basically told me it was a set up and Rowen was to blame."

"Where is he? Is he still talking to the judge?"

"Shea, I don't think I should be talking to you about this."

"Gus, you have to tell me."

Before Gus could say anything, the school dean walked out of his office and interrupted them, "Shea, please come in my office and let Mr. Taylor-Kinney go to class." He nodded at Gus who slipped down the hall.

Before he made it to his classroom, someone grabbed his arm from a doorway and pulled him into the opening. Fiona let go of him and didn't have to say a word. Gus touched her cheek and said, "He is going into the military." 

Fi nodded and asked, "You staying?"

"Do you want me to?"

"I think I do, but..."

"Let me know when you're ready." He gave her a quick kiss and left her standing there.

 

Justin left the next morning and Gus fell into a new routine. School was much more enjoyable now that Rowen and the other two that had helped him with the attack were no longer in the building, He soon had evenings full of school activities and invitations to go to parties and the movies. He didn't accept all of them, but if he knew Fi was going to be there he went. 

Fiona had put space between them. The fact that she had dated Rowen and he had then nearly killed Gus had her confused. Gus had assured her he didn't blame her, but if she wanted space he would wait for her.

 

As Christmas neared, Gus got excited for his family's arrival. He also would be spending nearly two weeks with Fiona around because their families would be together most of the time. Brian, Justin, and the kids were staying with Kate and Quinn. Gus had the option to stay where he was, but he wanted to spend as much time as he could with his Colorado family. He never thought he would miss Aaron and Jessi as much as he did, and he had seen Justin recently, but he couldn't wait to spend time with Brian. 

As Gus packed a bag with a couple days worth of clothes. He knew he could stop by every couple of days and get more clothes and he figured his dads would want to spend a little time with Lindsay, too. Justin had just spent time with her but Brian hadn't spent real time with her for a few years. Lindz and Brian had always had a connection. They had become friends in college and for several years she was one of his landing spots. Once Justin came into his life the main connection was Gus. 

Grabbing his bag and throwing it over his shoulder, he moved down the stairs. He noticed a little twinge when he had picked up his bag, but the bruises had healed and he had been cleared to start martial arts again. Even though he hadn't done much of that in a couple of years, he now had an urge to get back into furthering his training. Lindsay was in the kitchen when he came into the room.

"Gus, are you sure you want to stay at the B&B? Won't it be hard to be so close to Fi?"

"I hope it will be hard for her," he said with a sly smile. "I promised I wouldn't press her, but..." He put his arms out, "How can she resist this?" He put his arms around his mom and kissed her cheek.   

Lindsay saw the doubt in her son's eyes even though he sounded confident. "Just remember, you can always come here and get away for a bit. If you want, your brother could stay here, too."

"Thanks, Mom. I'm going to just go hang out on the cliffs until they get here. I know they are getting close, Aaron texted me they were leaving the airport about half an hour ago." He slipped on his coat.

Lindsay wrapped a warm scarf around his neck. "If you get cold, wait in the car until they get here." She kissed his cheek. "I love you, Gus."

He opened the door and took his keys off a hook, "Love you, too, Mom. I will probably see you in a day or two. I know you are talking about having us over for something called forty clove garlic chicken." He winked at her and strode out the door. As he got into his car he realized he couldn't remember the whole story about that chicken recipe, but it was something his mom had made once for his dad and his dad didn't show up until hours after he was supposed to be there. 

He drove to the family's favorite spot. It was always breezy up there, but today it was chilly up there. He texted Aaron and let him know he was at the cliffs, but before he got the response back he saw a vehicle in the distance. Moments later he was sure it was his family and he wasn't sure who he would hug first. Knowing his sister, she wouldn't give him an option but to hug her first.

As the car turned into the parking area, he couldn't help but smile. Jessi was already leaning out the window and before Brian could put the car in park, she was already running into her big brother's arms. 

"Oh, Gus, you're really here!" Gus wrapped his arms around her and spun her around.

"I should be the one saying that. Damn, Jessi, I've only been gone for three months but you look three years older." He said as he set her back down just as Aaron came over to them. Aaron gently hugged his big brother. "I'm all healed, bro. Give me a real hug."

With that Aaron tightened his grasp around him. And then Justin and Brian were by their children and Brian's long arms wrapped around his oldest son and Gus leaned into him. "Gus, you're really all better?"

"Ya, Dad, I'm fine. I missed you." Gus buried his face in Brian's shoulder. 

"Damn, son," Brian said softly. "I have missed you, too. I wanted to come over but..."

"You had Aaron and Jess to think of. I had Dad here." Then Gus added, "And Mom and Grant were here."

The two separated and Brian added, "I don't know which one of you kids is growing faster. In three months you grew an inch or so, haven't you?"

"Ya, my pants are getting short." Gus grinned at his dad and Brian couldn't stop himself from giving him a big kiss on the cheek.  

"My turn," Justin said as he pushed between Brian and Gus. He kissed Gus' other cheek and said, "You look so much better."

"I am. I am healed up and school is great now, like I've been telling you."

"And Fi?"

"Can we go see Fi and Kate? I miss them," Jess interrupted. "I want to see them and the house I don't remember."

 

Aaron rode with Gus to the B&B. "So, little bro, do you really have a boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend?" Aaron questioned.

"Don't act innocent. Jessi told me you did."

"She has a big mouth, but... I really like Teddy, but he hasn't shown me that he likes me like that. He's nervous about being called gay."

"Well, Aaron, you love who you love. I'm glad you have Teddy, whether it is just friends or more."

"Thanks, Gus. I wanted to talk to you about it but I just wasn't sure how to do it."

"Aaron, I know I give you a bad time, but that's what big brothers are supposed to do. You're my little brother. You can always talk to me."

 

Gus followed his dads and pulled up to the house that overlooked the cliffs half a mile away. As they all clambered out of the vehicles, Kate, Quinn, and Fiona came rushing out the door and everyone was hugging and talking at once, except for Gus. He had just done that with his family a little while ago.

Jessi rushed to Fiona and the girls hugged. "Wow, Jessi, you have grown so much!  You were just a little girl and now, we need to talk about your boyfriend later."

"How do you know I have a boyfriend?" Jessi asked.

"You do, don't you?"

Jessi giggled as she moved to Kate's arms while Aaron, bashfully, walked over to Fi. "Hi, Fi."

Fiona looked at Aaron, "You aren't a kid anymore, Aaron!" She reached out and he moved closer for a hug.

Gus observed his brother and wished he was standing there instead. As he was deep in thought, an arm draped over his shoulder. He turned and looked into Brian's eyes, so much like his own. "Still no communication between you two?"

"Not the kind I want. We talk in school when we have things to talk about, but never outside of school activities."

"Maybe we can work on that while we're here."

"Dad," Gus looked at Brian and had to smile. "Try to work your magic, but please don't make it worse for me."

Brian ruffled his hair like he had done so many times when he was younger, "Just remember you are very young for making life decisions."

"I'm the same age as Dad was when you two got together."

Before Brian could respond, Quinn spoke up, "Let's get inside. It is much warmer there and if I'm not mistaken, it is going to get wet out here soon."

 

Fi and Quinn showed their friends to their rooms. Brian and Justin were staying on the second floor along with Quinn and Kate, and the four kids were sleeping on the third floor where Fi's room was located. Gus groaned inwardly at the thought of having Fiona so close. He had Jessi's suitcase and followed her into the room she was going to sleep in. It was connected to Aaron's and they would share a bathroom. "Why don't you unpack your suitcase. Your clothes will get rid of some of the wrinkles from packing. I think I am down at the end of the hall."

"Ya, right next to Fiona. You know you two belong together. Work your magic, Gus. Make her fall in love with you. I want her for a sister." He was glad she was speaking softly.

"Please, Jess, don't say anything to her, okay? She's had a rough time after she found out what a jerk her boyfriend was. And I think she feels a little guilty that I got hurt, but I'm okay now and Rowen is out of the area. I can wait for her."

"I'm not a baby anymore. I won't do anything stupid. Now, let me unpack. You don't have to see my unmentionables," she looked at him over the shoulder and swung her hips as she opened her luggage. Gus kissed the top of her head and went out to check on Aaron.

 

Brian and Justin had put their clothes away in the closet and the dresser that was in the room.  They happened to be in the same room they were in for the three months they lived here. Justin looked out the window and Brian came up behind him and enclosed his husband pulling him tightly against him. "What were you looking at, Sunshine?"

"I was looking at the garden house. I remember spending time out there with my art."

"Yes, and you spent time away from me there." He kissed Justin below his right ear, feeling his pulse beating steadily.

Justin turned and put his arms around Brian's neck. "I sometimes wonder why you have put up with my artist's tantrums all these years."

"For the same reason you have put up with me... It's our fabulous bodies!" He stifled Justin's laugh with his mouth. 

Justin pulled away from him and locked the door to the hall. "I think we have time to explore those bodies for a while."

"Fuck. And that is another reason I love you so much. You have such a brilliant mind." Brian tugged off his shirt and moments later the bed covers were on a chair and the naked men had arms and legs entwined as their mouths began to explore each other, leaving ribbons of heated flesh.

"Damn, I love you!" Brian said as he moved down Justin's chest.

"How could you resist? I've had power over you for over 16 years," Justin said and then inhaled deeply as Brian's scalding mouth surrounded his now hard cock. "Oh, Brian, you know you are the only man I have ever loved!" He got it out just before he exploded deep in Brian's throat.

 

Gus knocked on the door to Aaron's room and Aaron called out, "Come in, Gus."

"How'd you know it was me?"

"Well, I can hear Jess unpacking in there and you and I both know what our dads are probably up to." Aaron had emptied his suitcase and was now pulling out his chargers for his tablet and phone.

Gus laughed at his brother's comment, "You are probably right. You know it is kind of cool that they are still so hot for each other, right?" Gus dropped down onto his brother's bed.

"Ya, I know it is. You're the one that used to make a big deal about them being in love." Aaron walked over to Gus and sat next to him. "I think Fi's that person for you."

"Aaron, I wish that was true, but right now, we are both just too young to know that. She can barely look at me right now."

"Gus, she sees you. She just can't have you know that right now."

Gus looked at his younger brother, "I am not sure I know what you mean by that, but you have always been far smarter than I am."

"I'm not smarter than you. We just think differently. I just seem to notice some stuff."

"Does that work for yourself? You should be able to realize if Teddy likes you or not."

"Oh, I know he does. I just don't know if he will be able to get past the fact that we are both guys. Why does he even have to think about it?  We are just two people that like each other. Have you ever liked a guy like that?"

"I haven't, but not that I wouldn't have. I think it is just because I had Fi for so many years."

"Gus, are you in there with Aaron?" Fi's voice made Gus jump to his feet.

"Ya, we're both in here. What's up?" Gus reached up to check his hair and Aaron laughed.

"Fiona, you can come in. We are just talking." Aaron said, opening the door for her. "Did you need us to do something?"

"Aaron, you never change." Fi wrapped her arms around him and kissed the top of his head. "Mama was wondering if we could get the Christmas decorations out of the attic. We are going to decorate the tree tonight."

"Sure, I'll go get Jessi." Aaron left the room to go get her, leaving Gus and Fi standing alone for just a moment.

Fi instantly fidgeted a bit and mumbled something about asking her mom something and that the door was open to the storage room. She rushed past Aaron and Jessi as they stepped out of the room. Gus watched her go down the steps and then looked at his siblings. 

"I told you Gus, she likes you, too."

"Aaron, how can you say that? She couldn't wait to get away from me."

"Gus, she's not trying to get away from you. She just doesn't know how to be with you right now."

"Aaron, why do you always have to talk weird like that? It is just obvious that they belong together. They have to be the two hottest kids in their school." Jessi smiled at Gus. "Do you think she will ask me to be a bride's maid?"

Gus growled at her a little and smiled at his sister, "Let's go get some ornaments. We have a tree to trim tonight. As they walked toward an open door at the other end of the hall, Fi reappeared and the four of them sorted out all the boxes that had Christmas written on them.

 

Kate had made a wonderful dinner of lamb stew and homemade soda bread. It was an early meal because the new arrivals were starting to feel the jet lag. By 8:00, the tree was decorated and many other embellishments were placed throughout the house. By then, Jessi was curled up in a chair and Aaron was leaning against Brian to remain upright.

Justin looked at his younger children and said, "Why don't you two go to bed. We have a couple weeks to catch up."

Jessi stretched and Aaron walked over to offer his hand to help her stand up. Kate smiled at the two and said, "Will you let me take you to bed like I did when you were wee ones? I would love to tuck you in."

Brian and Justin kissed the kids goodnight and then Kate walked with them out of the room and up the stairs. "I think they have the right idea. I would love to stay up and talk," Brian said to Quinn, "but I am exhausted."

"As Justin just said, we have many days to catch up. Go to bed, and these two," he looked at Gus and Fi, "will help me get these boxes tucked away." 

 

Gus and Fi brought up the last of the empty boxes. As Fiona leaned over to place a smaller box between two larger ones she lost her balance. Just as she started to prepare herself for a crash on the boxes, she felt strong arms coming around her and pulling her back until she was in an upright position. "Woah, Fi, you're alright. I've got you."

On reflex, Fi wrapped her arms around Gus' neck. "That was close. I was sure I was going to end up on the floor like all those crumpled boxes."

Gus loosened his grip just a little and Fi put just a breath of space between them. Gus pressed a kiss on Fiona's forehead and then, locking eyes with her, he began to move a little closer as his eyes locked on her lips. 

As Fi felt his breath brush over her face, she pushed him back gently. "Gus, I just can't." 

Gus took a couple steps backward. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to... I promise I won't do that again."

"Gus, don't stop trying, just let it be my choice, like you just did. One day I'll be ready. I really will be."

 

 

Chapter 7 by Simply written

 

The next week the two families took day trips to visit a couple of sites they had visited before and a couple of places the kids were too young to enjoy when they had been here earlier. On Christmas Eve the eight of them went to a small village that was decorated as if it was from the story of the Christmas Carol, along with carolers on the corners and wreaths on every window. They all separated into groups of two to buy gifts for each other. Jessi went with Fi, and Gus went with Aaron. They set a time to meet the parents at a pub to have hot apple cider before leaving for home.

Jessi and Fi walked into a shop that sold woolens. They looked at plaid scarves first. An older woman walked up and asked, "Are you looking for something special, ladies?"

Jessi smiled at her and said, "I don't know a lot about plaids and clans but do you know if you have the Cain tartan? My grandpa is a Cain and I think he would like something like that."

"You don't mean Kevin Cain do you?" the lady inquired.

"You know my grandpa?"

"I do. We went to school together when we were wee ones. Since you are American I thought it could be him. I have heard the story of his family. How is he doing?"

"Grandpa is good. He might come live with us if he ever retires for good."

"I am glad to hear that." She started looking through a pile of scarves she had on the bottom shelf of a cupboard. "I thought I still had one... here it is!" She had a deep green and navy blue cloth in her hand.

"Oh, Grandpa will like that. I'll take that one." Jessi reached out and touched the material. "That is soft and it feels warm for when he is in Pittsburgh, or visiting us in Colorado."

Fi felt the material, too. "Do you have another one of those?"

"Let me check." She handed the chosen scarf to Jessi and she stepped into a back room..

"Fi, are you getting one for Quinn?" Jessi asked.

"I am thinking about it or..."

"Oh, you want to get it for Gus." She dragged out her brother's name.

"Do you think he would like it, or is it stupid?" Fi asked Jessi.

"He would love anything from you." Jessi looked at her, "Are you ever going to put him out of his misery and tell him you love him?"

"Love him? I don't... I just don't know why he would love me. I almost got him killed, and he is the most gorgeous, smartest, sweetest, and..." She stopped as the lady came out of the back.

"I found one more! This one is longer and a little narrower but it is the same plaid."

"That one will be perfect for Gus. In Colorado it gets cold so he can wrap it around his neck more than once."

"And if he is like the other Cains, he is tall and lean." Both Jessi and Fi saw the sparkle in the older woman's eye.

"We'll take both of them," Fi said and they moved to the register.

"Can you tell us where we can get sweaters and other knit stuff?" Jessi asked.

As they each paid for a scarf, the older woman told them about two different places to buy knitwear. Jessi took one of the business cards that were by the register. She wanted to see if her grandpa would remember this woman since she definitely remembered him.

The girls walked out with their purchases, linked arms, and headed toward the next shop.

 

Aaron and Gus entered a little shop after Aaron saw something he thought Teddy would like. "Gus, do you think Teddy would like this old telescope? I mean it isn't really a good one but it is really cool looking."

"Aaron, I don't know him but I would say he would love anything you gave him, and it is obvious you know what he is interested in. It is really cool."

The boys looked around the store and decided they would get their dads an antique lead crystal decanter that Gus spotted. "Do you think this is enough of a gift from the two of us? I mean it is an old, second hand bottle."

"Aaron, you are a very smart kid but, trust me, this is more than an old bottle."

"How do you know about it?" Aaron asked.

"One time, a long time ago, Dad Justin and I were in Georgia and we saw something like this in a museum and Dad couldn't stop talking about it. I went home and looked it up. I was pretty young but I looked up glass bottles. I guess I just stayed interested and have looked up a lot of types."

"Whatever, I believe you. We still need to find something for Jess. Our dads said they would take care of Quinn and Kate. Oh, are you getting Fiona something? I bet she would like that even though she wouldn't expect it."

"Ya, I was thinking about it, but I just don't know what I would give her. I mean, I wish she was my girlfriend but right now we are just friends."

"Let's pay for this and go find something for the girls."

As a middle aged man checked them out he said, "How old are the ladies you are looking to buy gifts for?"

"Our sister is 11 and his girl... his friend is 17," Aaron said.

"I would suggest you go to the little shop with the red door that is just around the corner. It is definitely a shop filled with lovely new items for your sister but for your friend, may I show you something?" the teller asked.

"Sure," Gus said. "I really don't have any idea what to give her."

The man reached below the counter and brought out a box that he opened and picked up a tray inside. On the tray lay a fine chain with a small pendant on it. "This is a claddagh," he pointed to the charm. "This is a sign of friendship, love, and loyalty. The kind of love that you feel for a friend and sometimes friends move to another level. I overheard your conversation and it sounds like you would like this special someone to be more than a friend, so I thought this would be perfect. Friendship, love, and loyalty should always go hand in hand."

The hands of the claddagh were holding a small green stone in the shape of a heart. It was stunning. "It looks really expensive. How much is it?"

"Well, it isn't cheap, but from the look of the credit card I don't think money is a real problem. But I won't charge you more than it is marked, and since you are buying two items that have been in the shop for a long time, I will give you a 10% discount." He showed Gus the price tag attached to the chain and, after a little mental calculation Gus nodded. 

"I will take them both, but can I have them rung separately? I want to pay for the necklace myself, not the credit card."

The clerk smiled, "I like you, young man. I hope the lass comes to her senses."

 

It was about 3:30 when they met back at the pub. Everyone was keeping packages close so no one would get a peak in the wrong bag. After everyone had a hot drink and a few appetizers, they all headed back to the B&B. They would have a late dinner, giving everyone time to wrap their gifts and dress up a little bit for Christmas dinner. 

When they arrived home, Kate's parents were already there working on different dishes for the meal. After greeting them, everyone went their own way to wrap presents. Kate had rolls of paper, scissors, and tape located on the second floor. Brian and Justin went upstairs to see if any of their kids needed some help. The youngest two shooed them away, but Gus called them inside.

"We didn't think you would need our help, Gus." Justin walked over and gave him a hug. 

"I am guessing you don't need help wrapping something," Brian commented. "What did you get Fi?"

He pulled out the small wooden box the clerk had put the necklace in and handed it to Brian. "Tell me if this is too much. I had already gotten her something that I could give her instead."

Brian opened the box and after looking at it, he handed it to Justin. "That is a beautiful piece of jewelry."

"It really is, Gus. I don't think it is too much. The claddagh is perfect. You two have been friends for so long. No matter where your relationship goes, I think you will always love each other."

"The piece looks very old. I don't care if you did, but did you put it on your credit card? The bank will contact me if it is above the limit I set for you per month."

"No, Dad, I had money I saved, but just so you are aware, it is none of your business at Christmas to see how much we are spending. Aaron and I bought a couple things together and I really am not sure if we put it on my card or his."

"And as much as your sister can spend, I will let the accountant know to expect it," Brian said with a smile. He then touched Gus' chin. "Fiona will love it. And Gus, if I haven't lost my ability to recognize that look, she loves you, too."

"Thanks, Dads. I needed to hear that. I have missed you both." Gus looked at his watch, "I need to get this wrapped and get ready for dinner." The three hugged and Brian and Justin left to get ready for dinner themselves.

 

Gus stepped out of the door at the same time Fiona opened her door. Gus stood there almost holding his breath. He had put on a pair of brown corduroy pants and an ivory wool sweater that had accents in deep red that Lindsay had gotten for him. Fi had put on a cream blouse with a crimson velvet skirt. "You look..." Gus started, but Fi interrupted.

"I know. It makes me look like a frump. It is just sort of a tradition that Mama and I wear similar outfits on Christmas Eve."

"I remember that, but there is nothing frumpy about this." He reached out and brushed a strand of hair behind his ear. "You are always beautiful but tonight you are stunning." He took a step toward her but stopped himself. "I brought my presents down earlier. Do you need help with anything?"

"No. I have everything downstairs except for this one," she said as she picked up a flat box next to her door, "and I'll carry this one."

Gus smiled, "Is that for me?"

She blushed a little, adding a rosy glow to her cheeks. Why was she suddenly nervous? "I wanted to get you something. I hope you like it." Gus reached for her hand and they descended the staircase.

Kate saw them coming down and nudged Justin, who was standing next to her. One by one everyone noticed them walking down the steps. Jessi whistled softly and then said, "They look perfect together." 

Aaron leaned close to her and said, "Wait until you see her present from Gus."

"Is it romantic?" Jess asked.

Aaron thought for just a second and softly said, "Yes, it is very romantic."

"Oooo, I can't wait to see it." Jess whispered back.

Kate walked over to her daughter. They were wearing the same style skirt but different cream colored tops. "You look lovely, Fiona, and Gus, you are very handsome."

"You two even match," Jessi shared. 

"Give us a few minutes and dinner will be ready." Kate and her mother walked out arm in arm.

"Can I help?" Justin asked.

"No, we have it all ready. We'll just be putting the food on the table."

 

Fifteen minutes later, everyone was around the table passing plates and bowls, helping each other load their plates. Gus sat between Aaron and Jess and across from Fi. He made sure they both got the food they wanted and helped pass the heavy platters when Jessi couldn't quite manage.

Everyone found their favorite dishes and everyone ate until they were stuffed. "May I make a suggestion," Quinn said, standing up. "Let's go open the gifts under the tree and then we can dig into the sticky toffee pudding and the pies I saw in the kitchen."

"That works for me!" Jessi agreed, pushing her chair back a little. She almost jumped up but then remembered she wasn't six anymore so she regained her composure as she stood and started to walk toward the door. Brian caught her around the waist and pulled her against him. He tilted his head back and Jessi smiled and kissed his cheek. "Are you coming, everyone?"

"We're coming," Kate stood and leaned against Quinn as he encircled his wife with his arms. She looked up at him and he kissed her. He then stretched his arm out to his step daughter and Fi walked over to join her parents. In groups of two and three, they all walked into the living room where the large tree glowed from the lights that filled every branch and made the ornaments sparkle. 

Gus came up behind Fi and softly said, "I have something but I'll give it to you later."

"Ok." Fi smiled but was a little confused.

Soon Jessi had spread out boxes and bags to everyone and soon there was paper and emptied bags everywhere. Everyone was showing off what they received. Brian and Justin loved the decanter the boys had picked for them and the scarves Jessi gave them would be perfect for the mountain ranch. Jessi and Aaron had small gifts their dads had bought earlier in the day but they had gotten gifts before they came to Ireland. 

Brian and Justin had brought some gifts for Gus from the states. They brought some shoes he had wanted and a new computer for him. In the village they had bought some local specialties the shopkeeper had assured them teen boys liked. These are great, Dads." Gus left the one from Fi for last. He made sure she was watching when he lifted the lid on a thin box. He flipped the tissue paper open and saw the plaid. By now he was the only one opening a gift. Everyone watched as he pulled the scarf out. 

Fi explained, "It may seem like a strange gift but, that is the Cain tartan. Jessi bought one for your grandpa and I thought this would help you remember your Irish roots."

"Oh Fi, this is great. Wool is usually scratchy but this feels so soft." He wrapped it around his neck. 

Brian looked down at Jessi who was curled up between Justin and himself.  "You bought Grampa one?"

"He'll like it, won't he?"

"He will love it," Justin said as he wrapped an arm around her and she rested against him.

"Since that was the last gift, let's move to the kitchen. Dessert is waiting for us."

Everyone began to move to the door but Gus reached out and stopped Fi from leaving. "Wait a minute." he said softly as Fi's grandfather glanced back as he left the room.

"We'll be right there, Grandpa," Fi said with a smile.

Gus opened the drawer of an end table and lifted out the small box. "When did you put that in there?"

"It was in my pocket when I came down earlier but it was uncomfortable so I hid it there. Let's sit down for a minute." They sat down side by side on the sofa. He handed the box to her.

Fi looked at the box and then at him. He thought for a moment she was going to say something but instead she undid the ribbon he had added and lifted the lid off the box. Nestled on a cushion the same color as her skirt was the gold claddagh with the emerald gleaming in the center. "Oh, Gus, you..."

"Fi, please don't say you can't accept it. You know the meaning of the claddagh better than I do.  You have been, no, you are, my best friend. I don't want to lose that no matter what you decide about us taking it to a different kind of relationship. If you don't think we should date, I'll understand, but I want you to know that I want you to always be my best friend."

Fiona lifted the necklace out carefully. "Will you help me put it on?" Gus took it from her and, with little effort opened the small catch and put it around her neck as she lifted her auburn tresses out of the way. When he closed the catch over the ring, the pendant rested in the small hollow of her neck.  "Gus, it is beautiful and I hope we can always be best friends, too."

"You don't have to say more. I don't want to pressure you."

"Gus, we will always be friends and I think I am ready to see if we could be more than that." She moved closer to Gus and his arms wrapped around her. Their lips brushed against each other gently. 

Jessi poked her head into the living room holding a plate with two different slices of pie. She smiled seeing them kiss, "Hey, are you ready for some dessert?" The young couple moved apart just a little bit but kept holding hands.

"Are you ready?" Gus stood and offered his hand and Fi took it.

"Gus, next to you I'm ready for anything." Fi smiled and took his hand. "Jess, you didn't eat all the sticky toffee pudding did you?"

Together the three walked out hand in hand being led by the laughter coming from the kitchen.



Epilogue

Six years later

"Are you ready, Fiona?" Jessi asked as she strode into her dads' bedroom. Kate was adjusting her veil over her face and then down her back. "Wow, Fi. Gus is going to..." she looked at Kate and didn't finish her sentence. "Kate, the caterer had a question for you and it's about time for everything to start moving."

"Fiona," Kate said, nearly starting to cry, "Is there anything I need to help you with?

"No, Mom. I just want to get this wedding over so I can have fun at the party."

"I love you, my beautiful daughter. I will send Quinn down in a few minutes."

"I love you, Mom," Fi hugged her mother.

"Jessi, please stay with her until Quinn gets here."

"I will." Jessi said and as soon as Kate was out of the room, she said, "Gus is going to cum just looking at you."

Fi laughed, "I'm glad we decided to have the wedding here on the ranch. Ireland will always be my home, but after going to college here and spending most of my breaks on this mountain, I knew this is where we needed to get married."

"This is the perfect time of year to get married here. It worked well with Aaron and Teddy's travels this summer and then all three of us are going to college."

"Are you sorry you chose the same college as Aaron?"

"Naaa, I know how big the campus is and it will be nice to have Aaron close if I need him. Don't tell him I said this but I love him."

Fi smiled, "Hate to tell you this but everyone knows that. I really don't know anyone who doesn't love Aaron."

"He is the best." There was a knock on the door and Jess hugged her sister-to-be. "That's your dad. I'll see you in a little while. Come in, Quinn," she called over her shoulder. As she turned she caught her image in the full length mirror. "By the way, this dress is slammin'."

"I knew it was perfect for you. The ocean blue color on your skin is perfect. Thanks for being my maid of honor." The women hugged once more before Jessi headed to the door. She patted Quinn's cheek as she walked past and then she left them, shutting the door behind her.

 

Brian and Justin knocked on Gus' door and walked in. Aaron was straightening Gus' tie while Teddy was using a lint brush on the tux. "He looks so much like you did when we met. If he wasn't my son..." Justin squeezed Brian's hand.

Gus stood straight, emphasizing his 6'4" frame. He had been wearing his hair longer which showed off his natural curl. "Dads, have you seen Fiona? Is she ok? How does she look?"

Aaron and Teddy stepped away so his dads could move to Gus' side. "I haven't seen her but Jess was heading her way when we came up." Brian started finger combing Gus' hair, getting the curls in place.

"Of course she is stunning, Gus," Justin said.

Aaron spoke up, "We are going downstairs. We'll let you know when it's go time."

As the two young men left the room Gus started pacing. "Are you nervous?" Brian asked.

"No, not really. In a couple hours I will be married to my best friend. I think I told you I was going to marry her when I was six. Of course we've had some disagreements but we know what is the most important to each other and we know how to give and take. I think we are a lot like our parents. We have seen our parents fight but the four of you know how to make up."

"You make us very proud. Have you noticed the sun is getting low?" Justin turned Gus toward the window. 

Brian pulled out his silenced phone. "Aaron said it's time for us to move downstairs to the kitchen. That way we can't run into Fiona."

"I'm ready! Is Grandpa down there?" Gus said as he headed to the door.

"Yes, Dad is waiting in the family room off the kitchen."

 

Quinn had to blink away tears as he looked at his step daughter. "Fi, you are as lovely as your mother. I am so..." he swiped at his eyes.

"Oh, Da, don't do that. I hope they are happy tears."

"Fiona, I hope you know that you are my daughter. I will always think of you as blood of my blood. When I married your mother, I knew you were part of the deal and I would not have it any other way."

Fi wrapped her arms around his neck. "You have always been there for me. I knew you would always support me." 

Quinn took a step back, "You look so beautiful. That dress..." He looked at the miles of lace and pearls that covered the silk sheath. "How are you going to dance all night with all this long train?"

Fiona smiled, "The train, actually all of this lace, comes off and then I just have this little white dress that I can dance all night in. I expect you to be my first dance."

"Of course, Love."

There was a tap on the door and Jessi stepped in, "Time to start the party!"

 

Gus moved out of the side door with his grandfather at his side. A four piece string quartet began to play as they walked down the path created between two sets of chairs. Gus bent and kissed his mom who was sitting in the front row with Grant before he and Kevin turned with their backs to the setting sun and faced the guests. Many friends and family had come to join in the celebration. Nearly everyone from Hawkin's Island was there as well as Fi's grandparents from Ireland. Next came Kate, walking between Brian and Justin. Aaron came next, gently touching Teddy's shoulder as he walked past him. When he got to the front he hugged Gus before taking his place next to him.

Jessi walked down the path next. She had put on a short sleeve jacket over the dress. It had a small train behind her. She had loved this dress since the minute she saw it. Once the party began she would ditch the top layer and dance the night away in the barn where the reception was to be held. When she made it to the front she gave her oldest brother a squeeze and then stood on the opposite side. 

The music stopped for a moment and when the music began again, everyone stood and turned to wait for the bride.

Quinn turned to his step daughter and said, "It's time, Love.  Have I told you how much you look like your mother and how much your mother and I love you?" A tear slipped down Quinn's cheek and Fi held him tightly for just a moment.

"I'm ready, Dad. Thank you for being my dad." This time he pulled her close and kissed her cheek.

"I wouldn't let you go for any other man than Gus. Now, let's go." Quinn placed her hand in the crook of his arm and then moved into view of the guests. Fiona had also put a jacket over her dress and as she walked in the train slid along the walk. 

Gus stood speechless. As she neared him he saw she had the necklace he had given her that six years before. When he had asked her to marry him he offered her a heart shaped diamond with emeralds surrounding it. The wedding band had alternating emeralds and diamonds to complete the set.

"Who brings this woman to join this man? Kevin asked.

Quinn stepped back and rested his hand on Kate's back, "I do as her mother, and I know she will be loved and cherished." Kate stepped forward and kissed Fi and Gus before letting Quinn guide her back to their seats.

Kevin said some loving words and then had Gus and Fiona recite their vows. With perfect timing Kevin said, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. Please seal this ceremony with a kiss."

As Gus pulled Fiona into his arms and as their lips met the sun hit the horizon and the couple was surrounded by a halo of light encompassing them. As they slowly separated, the sun faded beneath the mountains, the guests stood and a cheer went up.

 

The reception went on until late into the night, but after a wonderful meal and a couple hours of dancing, Gus lifted his wife onto a wagon and climbed up next to her. He gently tapped the horses with the reins and they began to move. They talked about the beautiful day and how wonderful it was to have all their friends and family there. They drew near the end of the lane and Fi said, "Where are we going?"

"Shhh," Gus put the brake on the wagon and out of nowhere a ranch hand appeared and took the reins from him. Gus jumped down and lifted Fi off the surrey and kissed her lightly. Taking her hand he led her down the small path. 

"Gus, what..." She stopped talking as the path was lit by moonlight and when Gus stopped her gaze followed where he was pointing. "Oh, you told me about this," she said in a whisper. As they looked out, Spirit Pass was immediately below them and as far as the eye could see there were bison. It looked as if each animal below glowed from the moon reflecting off the backs of the large animals.

"I love Spirit Pass almost as much as I love you."

"Oh, Gus, you know I love it here, too. I really hope we can stay near here." Gus pointed across the valley where she noticed light coming from somewhere in the distance. "Gus, isn't that about the same place that old cabin is?"

"It is, but it isn't an old cabin anymore. I left some of the original walls, but it has mostly been rebuilt. Fi, I have a car waiting nearby that will take us to our new home. Even if it is only a vacation spot for us, a place for us to escape the craziness of the world.

"Gus, do you think we could call our place Spirit's Rest? I can always find rest for my spirit up here."

"Spirit's Rest. That is perfect. I love you Mrs. Kinney." Gus pulled tightly against him and kissed her deeply.

"Mr. Kinney, why don't you take me to this place called Spirit's Rest. I have a feeling it has a large comfortable place to do just that, rest!"

"Rest?" Gus raised his eyebrows as he hand slipped below her waist, cupping her butt and pressing her against his pelvis. His mouth dropped a trail of kisses from her mouth to her jaw, and then down her neck.

"Well, we'll rest later. Much, much later."



 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1827