THE LION AND THE STUD by Nichelle Wellesly
Summary:

 

imageedit_37_7939475189.jpg

 

Wants versus Needs.... That's what Justin Taylor's life has come down to. Having traveled the world as a dancer, Justin now faces the choice between continuing his lucrative career or rebuilding the tumultuous life he'd left behind in Pittsburgh. Enter Brian Kinney with an offer he may not want to refuse. 


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brandon, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Craig Taylor, Cynthia, Debbie Novotny, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Sam Auerbach, Ted Schmidt, Vic Grassi
Tags: Anti-Lindsay, Anti-Michael, Non-Monogamous Pairings, Out of Character
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst w/ Happy Ending, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 81495 Read: 55882 Published: May 03, 2016 Updated: Jun 20, 2019
Story Notes:

 

All recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. I am in no way affiliated with any franchise connected to these characters. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters and plot of THIS story belong to me. This is solely for entertainment purposes and no money changed hands during its production... 

1. ~Part I: LIONS AMONG MERE MORTALS~ by Nichelle Wellesly

2. ~Part II: YOUR STUDLINESS~ by Nichelle Wellesly

3. ~Part III: WHO'S YOUR DADDY NOW?~ by Nichelle Wellesly

4. ~Part IV: MIDDLE GROUND~ by Nichelle Wellesly

5. ~Part V: TANGLED WEBS~ by Nichelle Wellesly

6. PART VI: THIN LINES... by Nichelle Wellesly

7. PART VII... BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE by Nichelle Wellesly

8. PART VIII: ~YEARNING TO BE FREE by Nichelle Wellesly

9. PART IX: ~DESPERATE TIMES~ by Nichelle Wellesly

10. ~PART X: DESPERATE MEASURES by Nichelle Wellesly

11. PART XI ~IN FOR A PENNY~ by Nichelle Wellesly

12. PART XII~EXACTING A POUND OF FLESH~ by Nichelle Wellesly

13. PART XIII ~DO NOT PASS GO~ by Nichelle Wellesly

14. PART XIV ~DO NOT COLLECT~ by Nichelle Wellesly

15. ~PART XV: ~YOU GO TO DIRECTLY TO JAIL WHILE I COLLECT TWO MILLION DOLLARS~ by Nichelle Wellesly

~Part I: LIONS AMONG MERE MORTALS~ by Nichelle Wellesly

 

 

The two bodies formerly writhing on the bed now lay sated and exhausted. To look at them, one would automatically believe they were close. Both had the same job; they looked alike and in many instances they even thought alike. But that's where their similarities ended. One was perfectly happy with the way things were, whereas the other wanted more. It was funny really that to the outside world- the world outside of the younger man's bedroom- they would make a head-turning, heart-stopping couple but no one could really know the distance between them despite their familiarity.

 

"What are you thinking about over there?" the taller of the two blonds asked a bit breathlessly. His ass had taken a pounding and with the slightest twitch of the remainder of his body, the twinge would announce itself. Ordinarily he wouldn't have minded but his partner had become increasingly distracted during sex... and that was never a good thing.

 

Brandon Parks had known Justin Taylor since he was seventeen years old. Their boss had found the young man on the street, beaten and homeless. They were surprised to learn that Justin had been living on the streets for more than a year, especially since Justin spoke as a well-bred, highly-educated young man. Although Justin didn't talk about himself much, the beautiful young man made no secret that he was gay. Upon further probing into Justin's story, they were surprised to learn the reason that Justin had been abandoned, especially with the way most heterosexual men viewed homosexuality. But that wasn't the issue with Justin. He'd given them little glimpses of his life here and there but the small bits about himself that he let drop amazed Brandon and Gary. They were always led to believe that the rich or semi-rich didn't have problems like normal people. So the fact that Craig had chosen a woman over his children was beyond surprising to both men. Even though they still didn't know the full story all these years later, to have Justin say even that much to him and Gary had been nothing short of a miracle. Justin didn't trust people as far as he could throw them and Brandon could well understand that, but he'd thought that by now they had become closer than that over the past six years. Apparently not.

 

"Nothing really," Justin answered which both he and Brandon knew was a lie. He looked over at the gold locket hanging on the wall of his bedroom. The sunlight was hitting it just right, giving it the most ethereal glow. He sighed deeply, closing his eyes briefly at the glare but opening them just as quickly not wanting to miss a moment of the sun's transition across it.

 

Where the fuck was Molly? He was worried about Molly... again. It was kinda silly in a way because they were both grown and their lives lay in different directions. But it didn't stop him from being concerned especially since he'd been calling her cell phone for the last three days and was greeted by her voice mail once again this morning. In spite of everything they had been through and their divergent paths, the two siblings had remained close. Their father, Craig Taylor, had wanted to remarry after many years of being widowed, since their mom had died some years prior due to complications from pneumonia. Craig's new fiancee took pride and pleasure in abusing his offspring from his former marriage with Jennifer. When Justin complained, Craig had given him an ultimatum: either treat Marlene with the respect he would have given his own mother or get the fuck out. He had tried, but when he saw what his step-mother-to-be had done to Molly, he just couldn't tolerate it any longer. He stared into the sun-drenched window as he recalled the fateful day which had separated him from the only other person to share the hell before their escape.

 

Justin had arrived at his childhood home early one afternoon since one of his Art Clubs had been cancelled for the afternoon. The walk up the long driveway had turned into a dead run as he heard his sister screaming for their deceased mother and for help. When he went to investigate the problem, he'd found his sister hunched in the corner with the older woman bending over her with a steaming hot iron in her right hand. There was no doubt of Marlene's intent to burn Molly who was only fourteen at the time. He could tell from the wounds to her face and head that Molly had fought back as long and as hard as she could, but Marlene was a vicious bitch and stood as tall as their father.

 

Without thought, Justin grabbed the cast-iron skillet from the dishrack and proceeded to free Molly from the corner which the cowered girl huddled in. He raised the skillet as high as he could above his head and swung it down sharply, hitting the woman in the left shoulder. When she turned to look at what dared to strike her, Justin went behind her to pull his sister out of the corner.

 

"How fucking dare you," she screamed at his back as he forced Molly to run. "You'll pay you little shit. Your father won't be so fucking forgiving of your little candy ass this time."

 

Checking to make sure that he and Molly were far enough away from the evil woman, Justin yelled back. "He will when he finds out that you have been abusing his children."

 

He and Molly had escaped the house to the sound of Marlene's maniacal laughter, which sent a chill down both of their bodies. Scared out of his fucking mind about what had just happened but knowing that he had to be strong for Molly, he asked her about what happened as they walked to their mother's best friend's house. It turned out that Marlene was trying to rape Molly, saying that she was too old to still have her virginity and it was time she was able to pay her own way in the household. When Molly had arrived home from school, it was to find Marlene fucking a man younger than their father. When the man asked Marlene for Molly, the older woman tried to force Molly into the threesome, which the young girl adamantly refused. Marlene had told Molly that the only use she would ever have would be as some man's whore and when Molly screamed at her calling her a liar, the older woman became irate. The guy promptly made his exit as Molly and Marlene fought knowing that there would be hell to pay at the end of the episode. By the end of Molly's recounting of the events leading up to their exodus, Justin was both livid and relieved.

 

As the teenagers were shown into the parlor of Casey and Glenn Shelton, it was by some miracle that they still hadn't lost their minds. Casey had been Jennifer Taylor's best friend since they were in Kindergarten. Both having come from the most affluent families in the same neighborhood they still resided, Casey and Jenn kept the friendship solid until her untimely death. Casey never made it a secret of how much she hated Craig Taylor, but she tolerated him for the sake of her friend and of their two children. Since Casey was childless, she treated Justin and Molly as she would have her own.

 

After Justin and Molly told Casey what had happened, and the reason for their visit, the older lady was furious. She called her husband Glenn, who in turn rushed home with his lawyer, Harry Donaldson, in tow. Because of the age of consent, Justin was technically an adult so it was up to him if he wanted the Sheltons to become his legal guardian or not. He declined their more than generous offer stating that it was more than enough for them to apply for Molly. They reluctantly agreed but added the stipulation that if Justin ever needed anything as little as dental floss or as big as a place to stay, that he would come to them.

 

The very first thing the lawyer had to do was get a restraining order in place for Marlene. Circumventing a number of chains in command, Harry was able to speak directly to a judge who lived in the neighborhood and knew of the tumultuous happenings within the Taylor household. Issuing an immediate arrest warrant, Marlene would be in police custody within the hour. The next order of business was to have Craig Taylor served with official papers of emancipation for Justin and a request that he give up his parental rights to Molly voluntarily. Because of the severity of the abuse inflicted by Marlene, and their father's repeated ignorance in the matter, neither Molly nor Justin trusted Craig to do right by either of them. Although an officer of the court, Justin found that Harry was not above blackmail. If Craig wouldn't agree to give up his rights of his own volition than Harry would have no problem asking that charges of child neglect and endangerment be filed against Craig Taylor as a willing accomplice to Marlene. The matter could go away quietly or publicly; the choice was Craig's. The Sheltons and Mr. Donaldson thought that because of Craig's semi-successful business venture with Taylor Electronics, he would be more likely to settle the matter privately than to have it affect his bottom line. In the meantime, Harry was able to rush through a Temporary Custody form which would be waiting at the Child Protection Service office once they had Craig Taylor sign the document.

 

Upon further investigation into the situation of the kids, it was discovered that Craig Taylor had siphoned all of the money Jennifer had put aside for Justin's college fund and that he was beginning to go through Molly's as well. Attached to the request for Abdication of Parental Rights was also a form that Craig had to sign which would deny him further access to any and all financial records for Molly Anne Taylor. Justin had the option to sue his father for all money pertaining to his trust fund but he declined, wanting nothing further to do with the man after seeing to it that his sister was safe and situated. All four of the occupants of the parlor tried their best to reason with Justin but he remained stalwart in his refusal. All he desired to do was to pick up some of his most treasured belongings from his childhood home and be on his way to begin his life.

 

While doing just that, Craig had arrived just as Justin was leaving. He had already run Molly's things to her after they had received word that Marlene had been arrested and that Glenn and Harry were on their way to Taylor Electronics to have their talk with Craig. He'd left most of his clothes and his school uniform behind deciding that if he couldn't carry it, it had no use to him any longer. He placed the locket his mother had given him before she died in his sock for safe keeping, the little bit of money he had saved up that Marlene hadn't found when she repeatedly searched his room and his sketchbooks in his large duffel bag along with three pairs of jeans and six shirts.

 

"You're a goddamn traitor, you know that?" his father maliciously asked him.

 

Justin rolled his eyes, thinking of all the beatings he and Molly had endured culminating in their defection before replying, "Better a traitor than your son."

 

Justin turned and left the only home he had ever known and many of his hopes and dreams had been left behind. Looking back on that time of his life, he still couldn't regret any of his decisions, especially not the one to join the travelling dance troupe he and Brandon were a part of. He'd travelled the world, seen all the places that he'd never thought to go to. Paris. Milan. London. Tokyo and Malaysia. But he was tired of living out of his suitcase more than he enjoyed the apartment he paid for in Pittsburgh. He wanted the one thing he never thought he'd want ever again... stability.

 

"Justin. Come on, man. After all these years you still don't trust me enough to answer my questions directly?" Brandon asked, looking at the man beside him wishing more than anything that he could really get to know Justin Taylor. He'd made no secret of his desire to do so, but Justin still kept him-- kept everyone-- at arm's length. He would show affection with one hand while pushing back and saying not to read too much into it with the other.

 

"It's not that Brandon..."

 

"Isn't it though?"

 

"There are just some things I would rather not discuss," Justin finished his thought. He really appreciated Brandon as a friend. He knew that the older blond wanted more from him, but there was just no fucking way that was happening. It wasn't that he didn't like Brandon, but that was all. He didn't want to encourage the man to fall for him; Justin wasn't in the market for that kind of connection. Perhaps he never would be, but even if he were, he didn't want it to be with Brandon. Justin considered him a true friend. Well as much of a friend as Justin would allow himself to have at any rate. The last person he considered a true friend was Daphne Chanders and they had lost touch many years ago, after his father had threatened to call the cops on the Chanders when Justin had first run away to their house back when he was fifteen. Reluctantly the Chanders told both Justin and Daphne that they had to end their association, especially with their medical licenses and jobs being threatened by Craig. They just couldn't risk it and honestly Justin didn't want them to. "I just need to make some decisions, Bran."

 

"About what? Not that school thing again, Justin." Brandon huffed. He knew that Justin was seriously considering leaving the troupe to go to school full-time. "Look, dude, we have a good life. We make enough money that we can live comfortably without the worries of the early days when we had just started. Gary takes care of us."

 

Justin sighed. "I know all of that Brandon, but what about what I want?"

 

"What more could you possibly want? You've seen more and done more than most people will ever do in a lifetime."

 

"Yeah but at what cost?" Justin shook his head. This was definitely something he needed to figure out on his own. "Bran, I'm twenty-three years old and have now reached the point where I need to reevaluate my options. I'm not saying that I'm leaving the troupe. Who knows, after all of this soul-searching I might just find that this is the life for me. But this is something that I have to decide, me and me alone. Neither you nor Gary can give me these answers, so no, I'm not asking for your permission, but I am asking for your understanding and for you to keep this to yourself. Okay?"

 

Yes, Brandon was right; he had done more than most people would ever do. But that didn't stop him from missing home, from missing Molly and the Sheltons, from having roots. Yeah. That's what Justin missed the most. The feeling of being grounded, of having a real home for himself. Those were things that could not happen when he was on the road ten months out of a year. But he couldn't deny that he had more than enough money saved up to at least get him started without worrying how he was going to pay his rent, eat, and pay tuition. Although he didn't tell anyone, he'd arranged to take a College Entrance Exam the last time he was in Pittsburgh and he'd scored pretty high. Perhaps that was where his life was leading him.

 

He looked over at the clock noting the time. Their next show was three hours away. He rolled over to his side preparing to get out of bed. It was going to be a grueling afternoon with the three appearances they had to do.

 

"Where are you going? We still have three hours before show time," Brandon said still a little miffed about the conversation he and Justin were having.

 

"I want to grab something to eat before the show starts and I also need to pick up my mail."

 

"Can't you do all of that tomorrow?" Brandon asked huskily. Seeing Justin naked always sent his libido into overdrive.

 

"I suppose I could pick up my mail tomorrow but I really would rather do it now. You know how I feel about waiting on line and such. The post office should be running at a snail's pace right now which basically means I'll be in and out in time enough to get to the diner before the lunch crowd gets in."

 

"Come on, Justin. Come back to bed."

 

"Come on, Brandon, get out of my bed. Go home, shower, change and I'll meet you at work," Justin replied feeling uneasy at Brandon's sudden clinginess.

 

"Wouldn't you rather spend the rest of the morning fucking me into oblivion?"

 

Justin laughed. "Nope. If I do that, you won't be able to lift me properly. I don't relish the idea of falling on my head because you're exhausted. Go home, take a nap, take a shower, get something to eat and then go to work."

 

Brandon chuckled at Justin's insistence. Getting up, he began to put on his clothes. He didn't live very far from Justin's apartment and would arrive home in about ten minutes. "Fine, I will do as you suggest since you asked so nicely," he said sardonically.

 

"No, Brandon. I didn't ask; I ordered."

 

"Watch it, little blond. You'll only be allowed to order me around so much before I really show you who's boss."

 

Justin smiled as he watched Brandon cross the room to the door. He really did enjoy being friends with the man. It was too bad that he wanted more than what Justin was willing to give, but that was life. "I'll see you in a few hours, Bran, and remember your promise. No one is to know what we discussed until I have figured out what I want, okay?"

 

"I get it, Justin, even though I really don't understand why you feel you have to make a decision about this at all. But as your friend, I will keep your secret. I've never betrayed you like that before; I won't start now." Brandon opened the door and closed it behind him softly.

 

Justin breathed a sigh of relief before walking over to the door and locking it behind his departing guest. He honestly couldn't wait to get to the post office. He was almost tempted to tell Brandon the reason, but based on his comments about not understanding why Justin would want to leave the troupe, he knew that if Brandon found out about the entrance exams, the older man would flip out. Justin had applied to Carnegie Mellon and to the Institute of Fine Arts. If Justin had his way, he would attend both of them that way he could get done with his degrees that much faster. Many years ago, he had wanted to be an animator but that had been one of the dreams Justin had left behind in his old life. Instead he shifted his focus to the world of Advertising.

 

In his perfect job, he would either own the company or be one of the top execs in the business. He was prepared to do whatever he had to do to succeed, not only for his own benefit and Molly's but to show Craig Taylor what an asshole he was. His mother used to say ‘One monkey doesn't stop a show' and Craig Taylor must be Boo-boo the Fool if he ever thought that he would stop Justin's. But first he needed to know if he'd gotten into either one of the schools.... and then he'd figure out how to pay for it.

 

~LS~

 

Brian couldn't believe he'd been talked into this. He barely celebrated the traditional New Year but this year, thanks to Emmett and Ted he was freezing his balls off in Chinatown in fucking February waiting for the festival to begin.

 

"Oh come on Brian, cheer up already," Emmett groused at the brunet. "It can only help your cause with Mrs. Marsden. You know she's big on these things."

 

"That's true, Bri. Kinnetik could definitely use the connections she has, and if standing here waiting to see a traditional Lion Dance performed is the least but most effective way to gain her account, this is nothing. At least you disabused her of the notion of fucking her."

 

Brian and Emmett snickered at that. It was true. Elizabeth Marsden had made no secret of her desire for Brian Kinney. She was an older lady who knew how to rev up her sex appeal, and a cougar who surrounded herself with a horde of attractive men at every opportunity. So it was a let down when Brian refused her numerous offers to become the favorite in her all-male harem. When he explained to her that he was her counterpart in gay male form, she took it in stride and they had come to an understanding of sorts. The only stipulation to her signing with Kinnetik was that she wanted an Asian-themed campaign for her furniture line which also paid homage to their heritage. Unfortunately as well-versed in various cultures as Brian was, especially where food was concerned, he wasn't all that educated in celebrating their special events such as the Chinese New Year. And although eager to learn new things, he was definitely averse to his gonads becoming popsicles.

 

"Alright, I get it. I just wish they would hurry the fuck up. I could've still been nice and warm in the diner sipping coffee."

 

Emmett laughed harder then. "You're not fooling us, Brian. You mean you could have been warm in the diner sipping on that delectable blond we saw in the corner with his stacks of mail. I saw how you looked at him."

 

"Yeah well. My interest didn't go unreturned. I could have had him."

 

"I don't doubt that Mr. Kinney, but from where I was sitting, he looked like he was much more interested in perusing his mail than to take a break to visit the bathroom. Speaking of which, how do you think Deb knows him?"

 

Brian scrunched his forehead thinking about witnessing that scene. They had arrived in time to hear Debbie's greeting for the person who had entered behind them. At first all three were puzzled by the lack of greeting she had for them. There was no doubt that among the crowds that frequented the Liberty Diner, Ted, Emmett and Brian were her favorites coming in second to her only son, Michael. But then again, she was considered everybody's favorite on the Avenue and provided motherly advice, sardonic wit, and a ready smile to any and all who frequented the eatery. "I don't know but I think the name she called him suited him to a tee."

 

"Sunshine," Ted said. "Yeah, it did suit him with all that blond hair and the wide smile which lit up the room. He reminded me a lot of Blake."

 

Emmett and Brian both rolled their eyes at the mention of Ted's lost love. "You know Teddy, you should really move on. It's not like Blake hasn't already," Emmett said.

 

"Well gee Em, tell me how you really feel, why don't you?" Ted's annoyance was clear in his voice. They had been over this a million times but Blake's defection didn't hurt any less. "Besides I have moved on."

 

"To what? Oh I know. It must be your ever-present affair with a fucking accounting ledger. Or it must be that growing and budding relationship with your new shopping habit. Or perhaps you're planning more date nights with your right hand and laptop," Emmett stated. "You know Brian, you should really check Teddy's hand. His skin is probably callous free since he's probably spending more than a hundred bucks in lube every other week."

 

"Look Betty and Veronica, could you two knock it off already? I swear, I wonder how the fuck you two could have ever gotten together to try your hands at Heteronormative Roulette. You two argue almost as much as my folks used to." Brian shuddered at the thought which did not go unnoticed by either man.

 

Although Brian didn't talk about his past very much, Ted and Emmett had been around enough when he would utter some offhand comment about life in the Kinney household. Each remembered attending the funeral of Jack Kinney some years before and the coldness which emitted that had nothing to do with weather. As Ted and Emmett had walked down the street talking about it, Emmett had remarked aloud how he didn't know how Brian survived in that house. Ted had asked, ‘Who said he did?' and both men had grown silent at the small glimpse they had received which had somewhat explained what made Brian Kinney the way he was. It was a humbling experience for both of them.

 

"Not for nothing Brian, but we're sorry. Ted and I just don't see eye-to-eye on how he's living his life right now," Emmett said.

 

"That maybe true Em, but it's his fucking life. If he chooses to waste it palming his penis to porn instead of finding a new insatiable Twink to fuck everywhere, including his bed then that's Ted's choice. As long as he doesn't cum at his computer in the office I don't give a fuck. And you shouldn't either."

 

Ted bristled at Brian's comment about his time at Wertschafters Accounting Firm but he had to agree with what Brian was saying about his life. Deciding to change the subject and to put Brian in the hot seat while doing it, Ted asked, "So Boss, have you found a date yet?"

 

"I'm taking Cynthia to the opening or have you forgotten, Ted?"

 

Ted chuckled and shook his head. "Actually you aren't taking Cynthia so you must have forgotten. She's spending the week in Wine Country this week at Tony's Vineyard for research. You approved it over a month ago, remember?"

 

Fuck, he had actually forgotten that. Ever since he had given her the promotion to Senior Ad Exec, he only used her as his personal assistant on the things that he wouldn't trust anyone else with. The replacement she had trained was working out okay so far but it was times like this that he missed having Cynthia by his side. He hated attending openings as it was, even if it did help to expand his business. Having her by his side had always made them bearable. She was fun, sharp, witty and kept Brian focused without being overbearing or condescending by turns. When he had started Kinnetik, she was right there in the trenches with him and Ted, getting the work done, bringing in accounts and at the same time keeping Brian sane. On top of it all, she was the best female friend he'd ever had, including Lindsay. She didn't judge, handed his bullshit back to him, and didn't let everyone else's foolery touch Brian while she was able to stop it from happening. "I'll just stag it then," Brian said resignedly even as he watched Ted and Emmett shake their heads.

 

"You can't, Brian. It's the week-long launch party for Chartrez and you promised them you would bring your significant other. You know how that couple is about having single people around them. Hell, it's a resort for COUPLES Brian, and the first one that has a gay, straight and indifferent side. Although it's close enough to the Burgh, you're supposed to stay the week at the resort. You promised them," Ted practically pleaded with him. The account was worth a quarter of a million dollars each year for the next three years. Mr. and Mrs. Chartrez had refused to sign with Vanguard Advertising simply because Gardner Vance was in the middle of a nasty divorce from his third wife, having been caught with his face embedded in his secretary's twat. The only reason Brian was granted an exception was because he was gay. Peter and Priscilla Chartrez stated that since gay marriage was newly legal, it would stand to reason that he wasn't ready to make the move into matrimony. Although Brian hadn't lied or volunteered that he was in a committed relationship, he didn't deny that he was either.   

 

The beat of the drums in the background matched the feeling of Brian's heartbeat in his chest. How the fuck could he have forgotten the stipulation of the Chartrez account. They were firm ‘Love is All' believers and were one of those types of couples that Brian usually avoided like the plague- the kind that wanted everyone associated with them to be as in love as they were. The thing in their favor was that they were not homophobes by any extent of the word. They just wanted EVERYONE to be in love too, no matter who they were in love with. Brian pinched the bridge of his nose trying to stem the excruciating migraine he felt pushing behind his eyes. He turned towards Emmett who was tapping his shoulder insistently, mesmerized by whatever-the-fuck he was staring at in front of him.

 

"Brian...."

 

"What the fuck?" Brian asked annoyed. He grabbed the tall queen's hand, squeezing it. "Tap me one more fucking time, Emmett and I'm going to slug you. Now what the fuck is your problem?"

 

Emmett turned to Brian with a slight frown on his face at Brian's tone. Deciding to ignore it for now, Emmett pasted the slightest smirk on his face. "So... Brian, how would you like another shot with the blond from the diner?"

 

Brian looked at Emmett, genuinely puzzled by the man's question. Here he was trying his damndest not to fucking panic about a week-long launch party which could literally break his business and Emmett was asking about the bubble-butt blond from the diner? "Why don't you forget the question Honeycutt and tell me what the fuck you're getting at?"

 

"First of all, don't call me Honeycutt, Kinney. Secondly, I thought that you might actually need help finding a date for the week. But perhaps that was my mistake. Forgive me, oh Great One for trying to find a way to save your ass. Carry on," Emmett said with a wave of his hand as if what he was suggesting was of no consequence. He waited for his words to sink into Brian's brain. He didn't have to wait long at all.

 

"Wait. He's here?"

 

Emmett smiled widely at the sudden eagerness in Brian's voice. "In the flesh. I can't believe you don't see him. Do you need glasses?"

 

"Fuck you, Em," Brian responded while continuing to look around. After about five minutes, Brian finally asked, "Well where the hell is he?" All pretense of nonchalance and patience had flown away, and in its place, Brian's exasperation with the whole situation had risen.

 

Ted chuckled and spoke up then. "Perhaps if you look at the dancers a bit more closely, you'll see Sunshine."

 

It would have been easy to do except at the moment, Brian saw only one blond head peeking out from the bottom of the Lion's costume the two men were sporting and it did not belong to the elusive blond Brian was expecting to see. The man on the bottom was fairly muscular and had shoulder-length dirty blond hair which was definitely not an eye-catching shade of gold which effortlessly drew the eye. Currently, he was balancing what appeared to be a shorter man on top of his shoulders. The massive mask was covering any facial feature of the man which may have been visible otherwise. Brian gasped with the rest of the crowd as the top entity began to look as if he was falling, before landing solidly on his feet causing the crowd to clap wildly in response. It was at that moment that Brian's breath caught in his throat for the second time that afternoon.

 

The beautiful blond from the diner appeared from behind the mask, smiling and flirting with the audience almost as if he were playing a game of hide and seek with the onlookers. He incurred many chuckles and Brian had heard more than one man or woman in the crowd practically swoon whenever he paid them the slightest attention. The guy was certainly charismatic, allowing the audience to feel as if they were a part of the show even as he and the other blond performed some of the most athletic tricks with the giant costume. Tricks which would rival any trapeze artists and captivate an audience so much that even Brian couldn't find fault in watching such a performance. Brian could certainly understand Ms. Marsden's fascination with Asian culture a bit more since he was becoming entranced with the beauty of their movements himself. It was like poetry in motion and the fact that the two blonds performing the dance were also gorgeous was an added bonus.

 

When the dance has finished and the duo took their bows, they rushed off the stage. The next act was a dragon dance which Brian thought would be interesting to watch but right now he was a man on a mission. He had to find that blond. Brian headed off in the direction that he'd seen the two men go, hoping against hope that he'd be able to catch the shorter blond before he disappeared into thin air again. The young man was proving to be elusive, as Brian had caught a glimpse of him from a distance, but by the time Brian had reached the same spot, he was nowhere in sight. However, Brian was in a bit of luck because he did spot the taller blond walking away in what he assumed was a huff. Lovers spat perhaps? Brian shook off the thought as he approached the dirty blond.

 

"Trouble in paradise?" Brian asked nonchalantly leaning against the wall of one of the buildings that he assumed was a storage locker of some sort. Brian noted that the blond was just a smidge shorter than he was with crystal blue eyes. He really was a fine specimen and if Brian had the time, he would definitely have loved to fuck him but he had more important matters to attend to.

 

"You're really not supposed to be back here," he drawled. "But I might be willing to make an exception."

 

Brian licked his lips. "Oh yeah... and why's that?"

 

"As if you don't know. You're definitely fuckable and I would love nothing better than to bend you over."

 

Brian almost laughed as the taller blond moved closer to him. Although he really should have been going, he couldn't resist the urge to hear what this guy had to say. Sadly-- or more accurately happily-- he wouldn't get the chance.

 

"Okay Brandon, I'm....you."

 

"Me," Brian answered as he faced the young blond before him.

 

"What are you doing here? Have you been following me?" The suspicious and gorgeous cerulean blue eyes glowered at him.

 

The boy was even more beautiful close up, Brian mused. Even scowling at him as he was, Brian thought back to Debbie's nickname for him. "I don't follow anyone around, Sunshine. However, I just happened to catch your show and thought that maybe you would like to get a cup of coffee with me. It is freezing out here after all."

 

"Wait...you two know each other?" Brandon asked.

 

"Not officially but I'd like to change that immediately," the brunet answered. Turning his full attention back to Justin, he extended his hand. "Brian Kinney."

 

"Justin Taylor," the smaller blond extended his hand as well. He almost dropped it when he felt the small spark in the palm of their ungloved hands. He looked up into the hazel eyes of the man who still held his hand. The look in them must have matched his own and Justin knew immediately that the continued contact could spell trouble. Disengaging his hand, he said, "It's a pleasure to meet you. I think I've heard Debbie mention you a time or two in passing."

 

"Really? I'm almost afraid to ask you what she said," Brian joked.

 

Justin chuckled. "I assure you Mr. Kinney, it's all damning information."

 

Brian laughed as well. "Glad to see she's not ruining my reputation."

 

Brian and Justin would have been happy to continue their banter except..."Excuse me, but Justin, we really should be going now," Brandon cut in.

 

Brian frowned at the tone the other blond was taking. He wondered again, not for the first time, what the deal was with those two.

 

Justin bristled at the insistent tone Brandon had adopted. This wasn't the first time Brandon had taken it, and it only made an appearance in the presence of another man who he noticed Justin may have been interested in. Whether that was the case for Mr. Kinney or not, Justin didn't want to speculate at the moment, but he'd be damned if he'd let Brandon dictate his wishes to him and just follow blindly to keep the peace. "Actually Brandon, Mr. Kinney and I are going to get a cup of coffee. Tell Gary I will call him later and let him know what my schedule is going to be like this week."

 

"Won't you be back in time for the second and third shows?" Brandon asked. He didn't like the vibes he was getting from Justin and this tall handsome brunet at all. The air of familiarity swirled around them even though they just met and they were laughing as if they were old friends.

 

"Not today, Brandon. I already told Gary that much at least. You'll be fine with Jason though. He's really good and steady on his feet. I've been working with him during the off hours even though he's my understudy." Justin chanced a glance at Mr. Kinney noticing how much he was following the conversation. To the man's credit, unlike Brandon he was standing by patiently allowing Justin to decide what he wanted to do. He didn't offer a comment to persuade or dissuade Justin in the matter. Justin felt a sudden warmth in his cheeks when the sparkling hazel eyes briefly connected with his own.

 

"You know Gary's not going to take kindly to you putting off discussing your contract." Brandon tried another tactic, reminding Justin of his responsibilities while hoping that Justin would ditch the brunet. He'd seen the way they looked at each other; felt the moment they really became aware of each other when they touched and he fucking hated it. Justin was already pushing him away for whatever reason but the advent of the sexy brunet was could mean the end of everything that could be between he and Justin. Brandon mentally shook his head even as his eyes remained focused on Justin. He knew what Justin was going to say even before he heard the words. This cannot be good.

 

"Be that as it may, I'll handle Gary and the contract when I need to. After this last show, I just want to get somewhere and warm up. Good luck renegotiating your own contract with him. I hope he's more than generous with you because you deserve it Brandon," Justin said as he moved closer to the blond and placed a kiss on his cheek. It was true. Justin couldn't have asked to be paired up with a better partner. Brandon really took care keeping Justin safe during their high-flying stunts and he really was a great friend in the process. "I'll call you later to find out the details. Are you ready, Mr. Kinney?"

 

"Please call me Brian."

 

"Brian then," Justin said and smiled. "So now that we have that straight, where do you want to go for coffee?"

 

"Not the diner."

 

Justin laughed and grabbed Brian's arm as they moved back toward the entrance to the dancer's quarters. "I wouldn't dream of it. This time of day you'd be lucky if you would get a seat. Besides, I was supposed to do two other shows today."

 

"Oh so what happened?"

 

Justin shook his head. "I'll tell you over coffee," he answered simply even as he felt Brandon's eyes on his back watching them leave.

 

Brian and Justin ran into Emmett and Ted who had stuck around to watch the Dragon show which was ending just as the two reached them. Ted's eyes registered surprise even as Emmett grinned wide at Brian's introduction. "So Mr. Kinney, I think you've taken my suggestion to heart," Emmett gushed.

 

Brian shrugged. "We'll see how coffee goes. In the meantime, I came to tell you that we're leaving. If anyone asks, you can tell them that I'm away but please keep your mouths shut about where. Theodore, I'll see you at the office in the morning to go over the Marsden account. I think I have an idea or two."

 

Ted smirked. "I thought you might, Boss. Not sorry you came now are you?"

 

Brian looked down at Justin who was following the conversation with interest. "No."

 

That one word answer said a million things to Emmett and Ted although Brian didn't know it. He and Justin walked off leaving the two men behind to speculate on what could possibly happen between them.

 

~LS~

 

After riding nearly a half hour in silence, Brian and Justin decided on a coffee shop just outside of Pittsburgh. Justin had been a little uneasy at first riding in the car with a strange man no matter how gorgeous he may be. Here was yet another reason he was contemplating putting some roots down in Pittsburgh. Although he'd been a resident of the city for his entire life, it never dawned on Justin just how much he'd always felt like a visitor until now. His apartment was in a word, cold. It was a place that was more like a motel room than anything else; someplace just to rest his head and fuck for a week at a time whenever he was allowed a break from travelling. His mind and body was tired and he always felt like he was waiting for the other shoe to drop. The fact that he still wasn't able to talk to Molly just added to his stress. Justin had called Casey Shelton while he was waiting for his show to begin and even though she had set his mind at ease about Molly, it still had only helped marginally.

 

Alighting from the car, he decided to turn his thoughts back to his companion of the moment. Brian Kinney. Just his name caused a small flutter in the pit of his stomach although there was no way for Brian to know that. Justin was a master at masking his feelings, learning long ago that fear, nervousness or excitement had no place in his life. In the past, the more he showed his true feelings to anyone outside of Molly, the Sheltons and Harry Donaldson, the more he set himself up for disappointment and allowed those people power over him. He had a feeling that being in the presence of Brian Kinney was no different, even if he did sense a kindred soul underneath the smooth exterior.

 

Justin looked at the man out of the corner of his eye as they walked to the entrance. Brian was a little taller than Brandon, clothed exquisitely and expensively for all the casualness of his appearance. The Boss leather jacket appeared to be tailored to hug the broad shoulders while the jeans molded to Brian's slender yet muscular thighs. As an artist, Justin couldn't help but take notice of the picture Brian made and as a gay man, Justin couldn't help but want to unwrap him like a gift from the gods. But those thoughts he would keep to himself.

 

Brian ordered a tall nonfat latte while Justin decided on hot apple cider as his first choice. Despite the warmth of the clothing he wore while he performed outside during the winter, somehow Justin always still felt a chill until he had that first cup of cider. After that he could drink all the coffee he wanted but the last thing he needed was to feel as if his bones were clacking together beneath his skin. The dangers of bone chill was a lesson he'd learned many years ago and one he wasn't eager to repeat.

 

"So how did you become a dancer?" Brian asked after he'd taken the first sip of his beverage.

 

"I met Gary back when I was seventeen and decided that I wanted to travel. It seemed the perfect opportunity to do so," Justin answered, injecting the slightest hint into the perfunctory answer. It was the truth...not the whole truth but the truth nonetheless.

 

"Are you from the Pitts? I've never seen you around at the diner before," Brian said. He'd noticed the vague answer Justin had given him and although he really wanted to know why, he decided to keep the conversation light for now.

 

"I was actually born and raised here." Justin shrugged. "I try to come back whenever I can but it's not all that often. Usually I'm only back for a week at a time and that's spent taking care of my business before I have to hit the road again."

 

Brian's ears perked up. "You said ‘usually.' That implies that this time your visit is unusual, Justin."

 

Justin smiled. He couldn't believe that Brian had caught that. "What is it you really want to know, Mr. Kinney?"

 

Brian fought like hell to still the shiver that slid through his body at Justin's voice calling him ‘Mr. Kinney.' That never happened before, but he couldn't say whether he liked it or not. There was already something about the enigmatic blond that intrigued him since he'd first noticed him at the diner. Taking another sip of his liquid, Brian decided to level with Justin. "Okay, Justin, here's the deal: I need a date for every night this week." At the blond's surprised look, Brian snickered but continued. "It's not that I can't find a date; it's that I need a very specific kind of date."

 

"Brian, you're talking in circles. Why don't you just tell me what you're looking for and we'll see if I'm willing to accommodate you? But let's be clear right off the bat, I'm not, nor have I ever been, an escort. So it will do well for you not to treat me as one."

 

Brian folded his lips in. He really liked Justin's style. Honest and straightforward was how he preferred things and he could respect those qualities in Justin. He decided to be the same. "Look, I won't deny that I find you attractive. You're fucking hot. But there is also an underlying quality that I'm looking for in this situation."

 

"And that is?"

 

"You have Country Club breeding." Justin gasped involuntarily and Brian found that he liked that sound. "Don't deny it; I can tell. My thought is that you grew up in the heart of the WASP nest. One of my best friends is also a WASP, so it's not hard for me to spot one. Your controlled speech and manner with Brandon also screamed it. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the advertising agency called Kinnetik Global."

 

"I am," Justin stated simply almost laughing aloud at the the surprised look on Brian's face. "It was noted as the fastest growing company on the East Coast last year and is listed in the Fortune 500 and has been since its inception about six years ago."

 

"Yes well... you're looking at the owner of the company."

 

"Well fuck me."

 

"I'd love to," Brian smiled. "But that's not why I asked you for coffee." He and Justin laughed before getting down to business again. "The thing is, there is a week-long launch party for one of my biggest clients. Although they know that I have to come back and forth into the city for work, I am required to be there each night. Their resort is the first of its kind in which gays and straights can co-mingle without homophobia being an issue. It's called the Chartrez Resort and it's for couples only. The owners and operators, Peter and Priscilla Chartrez designed the resort with that stipulation in mind. They are a couple in love with ‘Love.' Consequently, they wouldn't even consider going with an agency who didn't believe in their concept and wasn't in a committed relationship themselves. They cut all ties with Vanguard Advertising because the owner is divorcing his third wife."

 

"So why not tell them that you aren't married? Surely they know that gay people aren't allowed to marry," Justin reasoned.

 

"Of course they know that I'm not married and since gay marriage is only newly legal, it's not a big deal. However, they were big advocates for the right of gays to do so if they choose. They believe that all people should have the right to love who they want but they also want everyone they associate with, both for business and pleasure to have a strong committed relationship themselves. Like I said, they are in love with love."

 

"So where do I fit into this?" Justin didn't believe in love but he admired those who did. He just wasn't willing to put himself out there in that way. His father had taught him a very valuable lesson about ‘loving' that would never be forgotten. It was the first thing that Craig Taylor would utter after inflicting, physical, emotional and mental abuse upon his children and to justify him allowing Marlene to do the same.

 

"I want us to enter a committed relationship," Brian punctuated with air quotes, "for a week."

 

"Wait. I thought you said that you have the account already."

 

"I do but..."

 

Justin smiled. There was a reason that Brian wasn't willing to tell them to shove their account up their asses. "How much is the account worth?"

 

Brian smiled understanding that Justin was on to him. He was happy that the young man in front of him was far from stupid. "The account is worth a quarter of a million dollars per year. So far they have signed with Kinnetik for the next three with the stipulation that I remain in a committed relationship for the duration."

 

Justin whistled low. "That's a hefty piece of blackmail you're dealing with Brian."

 

"I know, but it's for a really good cause."

 

"The new Armani Spring Collection?"

 

Brian laughed. "Among other things, mainly my art department and a new office expansion. Kinnetik's reputation is growing and now we're beginning to chart in International waters. Several of our clients in the last year are from Europe and I'm thinking that we need at least a small branch over there to begin."

 

"Wow. That's quite the ambition you have there, Brian. I must say that I admire it."

 

"Thank you," Brian said sincerely. "So the only questions that remain are, will you do it and how much do you want?"

 

Justin leaned back in his chair and thought about the acceptance letters burning a hole in his jacket pocket. He'd been accepted to both PIFA and Carnegie Mellon. The good news was that CMU was willing to take his travelling experience with the dance troupe and apply it to most of his International Business courses including the foreign language requirements and the internship usually reserved 4th year students. The fact that Justin was fluent in six languages and owned a share in the dance troupe he worked for did a lot to dispel the theory that he needed to waste the individual Professor's time as well as his own. By Justin's calculations, those factors would knock at least a year off of his time spent in college. The money he already had saved up would pay for two years enrollment in PIFA. So really he had the last two years and three years of Carnegie Mellon to worry about.

 

"Two hundred thousand dollars should cover it," Justin said as if he'd just asked for twenty dollars.

 

Brian nearly choked on his coffee. "Pardon me? Did you really just say--"

 

"Two hundred thousand? Yes, I did."

 

"Not to get all up in your business but, what the fuck?"

 

Justin laughed but decided that since Brian was being so honest, he would too. "I'm tired, Brian. I have been travelling since I was seventeen, spending only eight weeks at my apartment which I have still paid for in all that time. I want to stay put for awhile and get my college degrees. That and maybe even make a home for myself in the process. Now you need a ‘date' for a week and I've been accepted to CMU and PIFA. It's a win-win situation."

 

Brian was shocked at Justin's candidness. Maybe this can work to my advantage a bit more. "So you're an artist?"

 

"Not yet but I'd like to think that since I got into PIFA, I'm well on my way to being one."

 

Brian nodded. "And what will you be attending CMU for?"

 

Justin smiled and suddenly Brian understood why Debbie called him ‘Sunshine.' "I'll be going for a Business Administration degree with a minor in Advertising."

 

"Did you suddenly decide that or have you been thinking about it for awhile?"

 

Instead of answering, Justin pulled the two acceptance letters out of his pocket and handed them to Brian. The first thing Brian noticed was the address. Holy shit! "You're my downstairs neighbor."

 

"Excuse me?" Justin said completely puzzled.

 

"The address is the same as mine except the apartment number. 67 Tremont Street Apartment 5A. That loft is directly underneath mine. I own the entire 6th floor."

 

"Holy fucking shit," Justin shook his head. "I'm the reason you couldn't buy out the entire building." Justin laughed. "Well it seems that we were destined to meet after all, Mr. Kinney."

 

Brian turned his attention back to the letter deciding that they will reexamine the problem of Justin's apartment at a later time. The letter from CMU read:

 

Dear Mr. Taylor,

Carnegie Mellon University and our Business Administration Department would like to extend this word of welcome. We think you will be an excellent addition to our student body. Also please be advised that your life experience has allowed us to credit you in the International Business portion of your studies. Although your minor will be geared towards Advertising, the credits will still count towards your official Business degree. Due to the extenuating circumstances of your travel schedule, we are extending the deadline for your receipt and response of this letter. We anxiously await to hear from you.


Regards and Safe Travels,


Professor Benjamin Bruckner

Acting Dean of the Business Department

Interim Professor of Business Law and Ethics 101

Professor of Literary Studies

 

Brian laughed at the end of the letter. This whole situation was just getting better and better.

 

"What?" Justin asked.

 

"The person who signed your letter is my friend's husband and Debbie's son-in-law. I guess you are right in that we were fated to meet each other one way or another. And I hate that I'm even considering fate in any form but I'm starting to believe that very little is marked strictly by coincidence- at least in this case. So it looks like you have yourself a deal, Mr. Taylor."

 

Justin extended his hand to shake Brian's and was a bit puzzled when Brian rose from his chair instead. Pulling Justin up along with him, Brian wrapped his arms around the younger man. "What are you doing, Kinney? I thought we agreed that you wouldn't treat me like an escort," Justin demanded.

 

Brian shook his head and tightened his hold on his squirming charge. "I'm not. I'm treating you as I would a partner. I figured there's no time like the present to start." After saying that, Brian lowered his head and captured Justin's lips before the younger man had a chance to protest.

 

Justin felt the whoosh of breath hurry from his body the moment Brian's lips connected with his own. The press of the older man's lips was firm yet gentle. At Brian's subtle insistence, Justin opened his mouth and allowed Brian's tongue entry. Justin very rarely kissed anyone, considering it too inflammatory and too intimate an act to be squandered on a common trick. Kissing Brian Kinney right then he could certainly understand why he'd always felt that way.

 

As Brian's tongue stroked the underside of his tongue, Justin's breath hitched in his throat. Wherever Brian's tongue went, his own tongue chased it even though his brain was screaming for him to stop letting Brian take liberties. Brian's dancing organ seemed intent on pulling the will for self-preservation from Justin, leaving the younger man hungry for more. His cock began to throb insistently even as Justin's hands involuntarily gripped the back of Brian's head bringing him closer. He was at the point where all he wanted to do was lose himself inside of the kiss, and the blond had no will of his own to stop it.

 

Brian was experiencing the same emotions on his part. For a man who was always in control, he seemed to have none when it came to the young blond. Behind his closed eyes, Brian could see all sorts of danger signs flashing, warning him to stop the passionate madness that was creating the most sensual haze Brian had ever been involved in. He didn't understand what it was about Justin Taylor that made him want to expose himself-- not only physically but emotionally. The younger man was dangerous to the autonomy that Brian held dear, but as he explored Justin's mouth, he found he didn't give a shit. He would deal with the fallout of the kiss later.

 

Hearing the subtle clearing of a throat to the side of them brought an end to the action. Brian looked over to see who had interrupted them and couldn't help the eyeroll that surfaced as he beheld the culprits' smiling faces. "What the fuck are you two doing here?"

 

"Oh Brian, we come here all the time. Don't we, Teddy?" Emmett asked his companion innocently.

 

Ted snickered in response. "Not at all, Em."

 

Justin couldn't help but laugh as well. He was still trying to shake off the effects of that drugging kiss. Frankly he was grateful for the interruption although his cock certainly was protesting it. Needing a reprieve, he said, "Nice to see you both again Emmett and Ted. Brian, I'm just going to go to the restroom."

 

The brunet nodded watching Justin make his way across the shop and disappearing behind the partition in the far corner. His eyes couldn't help but notice the sway of the most enticing ass he'd ever seen. This fucking week is going to be hard as I am right now. Brian shook himself out of his reverie to refocus his attention on Emmett and Ted, who he noticed also eyed Justin's ass with undisguised lust. "So now that he's gone, will you two finally explain why I shouldn't kick the shit out of both of you?"

 

Ted answered Brian's question with a question. "When was the last time you checked your cell phone, Brian?"

 

"Not since I got here, although I felt it vibrating. Why?"

 

"You've got double trouble brewing."

 

"What the fuck are you talking about, Theodore?"

 

"Lindsay and Gus decided to make a surprise trip down here. And..."

 

"And what?"

 

"Michael's back in town. I couldn't make out everything he said, only that he received a call from Melanie that everything in Muncherville has taken a turn for the worse. He wants to discuss what you and he should do about Gus and JR."

 

"Fuck! What is it with those fucking lesbians?! Every fucking week it's a different saga and they call us fags the ‘drama queens.'" Taking a calming breath, Brian asked, "Well did you explain that this week is extremely busy, Theodore?"

 

Emmett cut in. "He tried, Brian. He really did, but you know how Michael is. Since you've changed the locks and security codes, he's vowing to camp out on your doorstep and show up at Kinnetik to interrupt your meetings until you speak with him about it. Oh and Lindsay's planning on staying with you as well."

 

"Fucking hell. All three of them shuck more bullshit than a rodeo has! Well, I can't go back to the loft so I need you two to do me a favor. First Ted, I need you to book Lindsay and Gus into the Biltmore. Use the Executive Suite that we have on retainer and have them bill Kinnetik. Emmett I need you to grab my bags from the loft. My garment bag with my suits and tux in it is already laid out on the bed. I had only planned to stop in and grab them when I was ready to go to the resort. Anything else I may need I'll have to buy at this point."

 

"So where will you be when you're not at the resort or at Kinnetik?" Emmett asked.

 

"I'll be at the getaway in the country. You two are the only people who know I still have it. As far as everyone else is concerned I sold it, got it?" Brian knew that he could trust Ted and Em with the information.

 

When he'd bought the place some years ago, Michael and Lindsay would show up there every time Brian decided that he needed time for himself and would disappear. Lindsay had even tried to decorate it to her specifications of what a manor home should be and look like. He'd killed that plan real quick by saying that he was selling it. Michael had looked relieved, lamenting that the place was not worthy of the Stud of Liberty Avenue. The pushy brunet said that Brian needed to be in his natural habitat of drugs, drink and dudes if he wanted to relax, not some mansion in the middle of nowhere. It never occurred to Michael that Brian actually needed the quiet sometimes and to be away from all the pressures that keeping up appearances demanded. It was kind of fucked up that Michael couldn't see how much Brian had grown up, while Lindsay tried her fucking best to turn Brian into her heteronormative fantasy come-to-life. He was so engrossed in his getaway plan, he didn't even realize when Justin had made his way back to their group.

 

"What's going on? I leave you all for five minutes and come back to all of you looking like someone killed your puppies," Justin said. It was true. All three of the other men had their faces drawn in while looking as if they wanted to contemplate the meaning of life or some shit.

 

Brian sighed. He knew if the whole ruse of them being a couple was going to work, he needed to level with Justin. "It's been brought to my attention that I'm about to have some unwanted and unexpected company."

 

"It can't be that bad," Justin smirked.

 

"My son coming down from Canada which is never a bad thing. However, the drama that his visit is bringing is bad."

 

"Wait...you have a son? How old is he?"

 

"Gus is ten. Unfortunately, he's also more mature than his mothers are."

 

"Brian--" Emmett started, but Brian silenced him with his hand.

 

"Em, you know it's true. Melanie and Lindsay should have called it quits years ago. You've told them, Ted's told them, and fuck, Gus had even told them too, and he was only seven at the time. He told them that if they didn't like each other than they should find a way to stay away from each other. He used the advice they had given him about the bully in school when they first moved up there. Funny how it worked for Gus and the bully but never for the bull dykes who gave him such solid advice." Brian huffed again before turning to Justin. "The other source of unwanted company is in the form of Michael Novotny- Bruckner, my former best friend."

 

"Professor Bruckner's husband?"

 

"One and the same, Justin. You see Michael's daughter Jenny is being raised by my son's mother and her partner, Melanie. Lindsay is the WASP we were speaking of earlier."

 

Justin nodded. "So let me guess. You're going to avoid the loft like it's infested with a bad case of crabs."

 

All three men chuckled. Justin had a way with words that induced laughter. Brian answered. "Pretty much, but what I need to know from you is what do you need from there?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I mean that I would like it if you would go with me to my country estate until I can straighten this mess out. If you go to the loft, I can almost guarantee you that you will be harassed constantly about my whereabouts even though you and I just met and found out that we're neighbors."

 

"Neighbors?" Ted and Emmett gasped in unison.

 

"Yeah. Brian and I were shocked to find that out too. I live in the loft directly under his."

 

"That's why you couldn't buy the whole building," Ted said. He and Emmett knew that Brian was pissed about it but there was nothing he could do until the owner of the last loft had gotten back. Brian had bought everyone else out of their leases but was unable to find the last tenant in order to do the same.

 

"Yep," Justin answered cheerfully. "But then that's sort of a good thing in any event. In the meantime, to answer your question, I had already decided that whatever I had in my wardrobe wasn't suitable for what we're planning this week. That said, I have to go shopping."

 

"Fine, we'll go shopping."

 

"Brian, I'm perfectly capable of shopping for myself."

 

Brian looked over Justin's attire skeptically. He looked more like a high school kid from the suburbs who lived in Old Navy than a full-grown adult. "You will NOT be wearing anything that looks like it came off of the rack at the Gap."

 

"I think I look very stylish, fuck you very much," Justin said.

 

Ted and Emmett laughed even as they marveled at the easy banter Brian had developed with Justin in such a short time. They sounded as if they were already a couple of long-standing instead of newfound friends.

 

Brian rolled his eyes, hard-pressed not to laugh out loud himself. The week definitely would not be boring with the bad-mouth blond around. "We'll argue and speak of fucking later, but right now we're due at the resort for dinner at seven and it's already four so we'd better get a move on." Taking out his cell, Brian made a few appointments for he and Justin to get through dinner tonight and tomorrow morning. That done, Brian asked, "Justin, how many days are left on your contract with the dance troupe?"

 

"I have until the end of Thursday evening left in my contract which is why it's up for renewal this week. With the deal we have made, I can finally retire from this brand of show business."

 

"Your current boss won't be too happy," Emmett singsonged. He and Ted had stayed to watch a few more of the acts following the Lion Dance and both admitted that the others didn't compare to the show Justin and his partner put on.

 

"Gary is just going to have to live with it. I'll be starting college at the beginning of June's summer session."

 

"Wow! That's amazing. Congratulations, baby," Emmett gushed while he pulled Justin in for a hug like they were old friends. Although Justin didn't generally like to be touched, he didn't mind the tall queen's show of affection. Emmett reminded Justin a lot of his surrogate father Glenn, with the exception that Glenn was straight. He was just a rare person with a lot of compassion to mete out. Justin found himself being yanked out of Em's embrace.

 

"That's enough, Emmett. If it were up to you, the man would suffocate to death before he even starts school," Brian said as he subconsciously pulled Justin into his own arms instead.

 

The action was not lost on Ted nor Emmett as they each shot an impercible look at the other in acknowledgement of their earlier thoughts. Upon leaving the coffee shop, Operation: Free Brian was underway, with Ted and Em headed to Brian's loft and with Brian and Justin headed downtown to turn a boy into a man.

 

~LS~

 

On the ride into the downtown area of Pittsburgh, Brian and Justin spent a little time getting to know each other. Brian learned that Justin had grown up in the ritzy area of Belleaire Estates before leaving the area. When Brian had asked why Justin decided to leave his posh existence in exchange for a glorified vagabond Justin deftly turned the tables onto him.

 

"Why did you decide to start your own company? I imagine to get to where you are, you had to be one of the best in the business to begin with."

 

Brian smiled at Justin. "I was but my former associate, Gardner Vance, and I didn't see eye-to-eye on an account. He demanded that I work with a client that I was adverse to. Although my contract stated that I had to work with said high profile client and I did, it didn't place any restrictions on me about furthering his agenda in my off hours. So while I worked during the day on his campaign, at night I enlisted the help of some friends to undermine it. Contrary to popular opinion, I do have morals and a defined sense of right and wrong in the world according to Brian Kinney so I couldn't sit idly by and do nothing even if it looked like I was. Long story short Gardner fired me and per the fine print on my contract, I took the clients I brought in with me. Starting Kinnetik just followed the natural order of business."

 

"That must have been one helluva blow to his business. Who was the client?" Justin asked. He couldn't help but admire and be fascinated by the man who steered them effortlessly around the traffic."

 

"I'll tell you but it can't leave this car." At Justin's nod, Brian said, "The client's name was Jim Stockwell. He was the former police chief of Pittsburgh and was running for mayor at the time."

 

Justin nodded. "I'm impressed. My mother knew Stockwell before she passed. I got the feeling that there may have been something more between them at one time considering how my father would treat him."

 

"So your mother passed... what about your father?" Brian asked looking over briefly at the now-silent young man staring out of the window lost in his own thoughts. The more time Brian spent with the blond, the more intrigued he was becoming. Ahh get a fucking grip Kinney. It's business and hopefully a good fuck but still business only.

 

"My father is dead... well to me at least if he's still walking around." Justin cleared his throat, quelling every emotion that simple statement was trying to free. "How much further?"

 

There was a story there and Brian knew it but he decided to let it go. "Not much longer. My tailor is on one of the side streets which is good because the appointments are kept private. So listen, about your contract with this Gary person... are you averse to being let out of it early even though it's close to the end of contract date?"

 

Justin couldn't help but be surprised at the question. "Why?"

 

"I was thinking that... Well that is if you're serious about putting down some roots that I might have a job for you."

 

"Besides what I'm doing at the moment and what we've already agreed to for the week?"

 

"Yeah. You said that you're an artist and based on the fact that you got into what one would consider as an ‘Ivy League School' for artists, you must be pretty good. I was thinking that perhaps I could offer you a job at Kinnetik."

 

The smile that slowly came into view on Justin's face was blinding in its intensity and Brian couldn't help but be moved by it. He'd never met anyone like Justin Taylor before. Although world-weary he still maintained a sense of adventure, innocence and wonder about life. Brian knew from experience that something in his past kept him from talking about it and that was fine by him as long as it didn't kill the sparkle in the blue eyes looking at him as if he was some sort of hero just then.

 

"You're serious? You would hire me? You haven't even seen my work."

 

Brian smiled again as an idea came to him. "Tell you what. We'll do this on a week trial basis. Providing we can get you out of your contract with the dance troupe, you'll work with me on real accounts at Kinnetik during the day and we'll take care of the company's PR responsibility at night. This way you get to see how I work and if this is something you're truly interested in pursuing as a career."

 

Justin was amazed at the offer. His immediate thought was to take it and to hell with everything and everyone else but his more rational self had much more to say about the issue. "Brian, I have to go back to the loft."

 

"What? Why?" Brian barked out and cringed at the way it sounded even to his own ears. Softening his tone he said, "I thought the purpose of this whole excursion was so that we didn't have to go back to Tremont."

 

Justin smiled softly. He had caught the anxiousness in the older man's tone. The unwanted guests had the seemingly fearless man on the run. He couldn't deny that he wanted to know why. Sure he'd already received a half-assed answer but Justin was sure there was more to the story than the cut-and-dry response Brian had given. "Our excursion into the Pitts would have sufficed for tonight except that you just presented me with an offer that I would  really like to take. If I can do that without substantial risk to myself and my credibility for being a man of my word, I would like to do that. That being said, I need to look at the copy of my contract. May I borrow your phone?"

 

Brian handed the mechanism to him without question which he could tell Justin really liked. "Why don't you have your own?"

 

"I do but it's prepaid and I never carry it while I am performing. I-- I don't trust easily," Justin answered.

 

Brian nodded in response. He understood the sentiment; it wasn't in his nature to trust blindly either. "Then out of curiosity, why did you agree to have coffee with me?"

 

Justin laughed and the action sent a shiver of pleasure through Brian. "Because Brandon tried to stop me from doing so. I have a major problem with authority especially if it doesn't pay well."

 

"I'll keep that in mind," Brian answered, chuckling at the candid response.

 

Justin dialed a number that he'd memorized over the years. It was one of the few that he kept to the forefront of his mental rolodex, having called it frequently to keep abreast of the goings-on back in Pittsburgh while he was  abroad. He was happy that the number was one of the few things in his life that had not changed. The deep tenor voice of the answerer caused Justin to smile wide.

 

"Harry Donaldson."

 

"Hello you old sinner-to-saint. How's business?"

 

"Justin! How are you my boy? Long time, no hear."

 

"I know. I'm sorry about that. But look the reason I am calling is that I'm in town.."

 

"Great! Everyone has missed you," Harry said wistfully.

 

"And I've missed everyone too. I was wondering if we could meet tonight. I've received a very interesting offer and I need you to look over my contract with me."

 

"Oh, what kind of offer? Nothing illegal I hope." Harry's voice had hardened. There was no question that he and his wife worried for Justin. So much had happened in the young man's life that it was hard not to.

 

"No, nothing like that, Harry. I can't discuss all of the details now but suffice it to say, that if all goes well, my infrequent phone calls will be a thing of the past."

 

"Well okay. That definitely sounds promising. What time did you want to meet?"

 

Justin turned to Brian and asked, "What time do you think we'll be finished tonight, Brian?"

 

"Brian? Who the hell is Brian, Justin?" Harry's voice interrupted.

 

Justin laughed. "Calm down, Harry. He's part of the reason I asked you to meet with me but I'll explain that later." Justin asked again. "Brian, what time would be good to meet with Harry?"

 

"And who the hell is Harry, Justin?"

 

Justin shook his head. "Not you, too. You don't get to sound and play the jealous housewife with me, Mr. Kinney."

 

Brian chuckled at having been caught. He shifted in his seat while waiting at the stoplight just off the parkway. "I think I have a solution to all of this. We have to be at the resort at seven and I'm not exactly sure what time we'll finish up there. Is Harry married or part of a couple?"

 

Justin narrowed his eyes at first and then caught on to Brian's way of thinking. Speaking into the phone, Justin asked, "Harry is Ava available tonight?"

 

"She is but--"

 

"Good," Justin continued. "Do you think you both could meet us at the Chartrez Resort tonight at seven? Brian has an obligation there and while he's taking care of that, you and I along with Ava could play catch up."

 

"I don't foresee it to be a problem but isn't it the grand opening of the resort?"

 

"Hold on, Harry. Brian, could you obtain two guest passes for tonight?"

 

Brian answered, still wondering who the fuck the man was that Justin spoke to with such affection. For a man that didn't do jealousy, he was feeling a bit of it right now. "Yeah, I'll leave his name and that of his guest at the gate when we arrive."

 

"Thank you, Brian." Justin looked at Brian relieved to have this little victory well in hand. "Harry, did you hear?"

 

"Yeah, I heard. And rest assured you have some serious explaining to do. That's a ‘Couples Only' resort if I'm not mistaken."

 

"You aren't. It's formal so dust off the suit and have your ass there. I'll see you later. Love you!"

 

"Love you too," Harry said before they disconnected the call.

 

As they had pulled into the parking lot of "Giuseppe's Fine Suits and Apparel," Justin felt that something in his life was finally going right.

 

~LS~

 

An hour and a tux later, Brian and Justin exited the hole-in-the-wall tailor and were on their way to the loft. Brian hadn't said much while at Giuseppe's except to comment on the fit and cut of the clothes which he critically eyed as they draped Justin's body. More than once, Brian had commented on how he wanted the material to hug Justin's ass while allowing for ease of movement and comfortability as it was likely that Justin would be in them a long time. By the time they were finished, Brian had spent a veritable fortune in designer duds for Justin. When Justin commented on the amount, Brian simply said, ‘Consider it an investment," and closed the subject which Justin wisely accepted. The older man was still smarting about having his questions about ‘Harry' evaded which brought amusement to the younger man.

 

"Brian, I think you should probably park here as opposed to at the loft," Justin said as they neared one of the warehouses down the street from the loft. "If you've decided to remain MIA, then perhaps your Jeep should remain incognito too."

 

"No. While you were getting fitted, I've already called Kinnetik's car service. I figured with all the roundabout we'll be dealing with, neither of us will want to drive back and forth between West Virginia, Pittsburgh and the resort. They'll be here in a half hour."

 

Justin smiled. "Well I guess we better get a move on then. Did Emmett already come by?"

 

"Yeah. I talked to him while you were in the dressing room. While you're doing whatever it is you have to do that brought us back to my seventh circle of hell at the moment, I'll be upstairs gathering an employee packet for you to look over while we're at the resort and you're meeting with ‘Harry."

 

Justin snorted but said nothing. "I'll grab my cell phone too, just in case."

 

When Justin stepped off of the elevator, Brian followed him. At Justin's questioning look, Brian laughed. "How are you supposed to let me know you're ready if you don't have my number?"

 

Justin rolled his eyes skyward. "You really are a control freak, aren't you?"

 

"You have no idea Justin," Brian said, sardonic smirk firmly in place.

 

The purr of Brian's voice slid along Justin's nerves as if the brunet had touched him. The sensual glimmer in the hypnotic hazel eyes drew Justin in like a moth to a flame and he couldn't wait to get burned. Before he'd even had a chance to register what was happening or to reaffirm his own control, Justin found himself pressed against the wall just inside of the sliding door to his loft and his lips possessed in a kiss that controlled his nerves... and then destroyed them.

 

Labored breathing and animalistic groans were the only sounds emitting within the silence of Justin's apartment as Brian kissed him. He felt his feet leave the floor as his legs wrapped around the brunet of their own volition even as every thought that was not of Brian Kinney and his talented, acrobatic tongue was decimated under the most sensual assault of Justin's senses to date. He thrusted and parried his tongue alongside Brian's, dueled for supremacy within the hot wet cavern of their fused mouths, and ultimately submitted letting Brian map out a new landscape-- one Justin wanted to follow.

 

The tenor of the kiss changed bringing with it a sexual haze and a strange sensation deep within Justin making him long do the one thing he'd never done...bottom. As much as he fucked, bottoming was a craving that Justin had long ago decided would go unfulfilled. But he wanted Brian so much every fiber of his being screamed for the release he was sure only Brian could give. He could almost feel himself relinquishing the control he'd cultivated to sheer perfection over the years of not being able to trust anyone. And yet everything in him wanted to believe that he could trust Brian not to hurt him. And it was that wayward feeling that shocked him back into reality.

 

"Stop--"

 

"Don't want to," Brian said in between kisses before he began his possession again.

 

After a few minutes indulging himself and getting lost in the kiss again, Justin uttered, "Car...minutes... away," even as he returned each press of Brian's lips and fluid movement of his tongue within his mouth.

 

Brian reluctantly ended the exchange knowing that Justin was right. He had obligations which required him to be as focused and driven as he'd always been in terms of business. But Justin was just too fucking tempting. Everything about the young man screamed for Brian to take him. He looked up into the lust-blown blue eyes hovering above his own, the silent acknowledgement telling him that Justin wanted him just as much. His fingers which had been tangled in the blond locks, flexed involuntarily as Brian envisioned what would have happened had Justin not found the will to stop him.     

 

Justin read the want and need clearly in Brian's eyes and knew it mirrored his own. His legs tightened around the slender hips they rested on. There was no doubt that Brian Kinney was a beautiful man but this.... "This can't happen, Brian."

 

Brian refused to give Justin an out by taking his eyes away from his. "This has already begun, Justin," he said while disengaging his hands from the softest hair he'd ever felt. "And while I won't rush you, know that I'm not fucking giving up."

 

"You don't understand..."

 

"You're right. I don't, and ordinarily I wouldn't give a fuck about knowing. But this..." Brian let his words trail off unable to complete it but Justin knew what he'd left unsaid.

 

"Yeah. Inevitable, but not yet."

 

Instead of asking ‘when' like he wanted to, Brian told him, "You know, if we're going to exchange numbers, you should probably take those boa constrictors you call legs from around me. I'm almost willing to bet that I have a bruises by now."

 

Justin laughed as he dismounted, making sure to slide his body down the front of Brian... for safety of course. "Well perhaps someone will now be able to tell exactly where your hips are. I can't help it if you remind me of a stripper's pole but I need remind you that I'm not the one who put me up there in the first place."

 

"A stripper's pole, huh?" Brian got a visual of Justin's body sensually wrapping around his own. He shrugged, "You know, I can live with that."

 

Both of the men burst out laughing relishing the fact there was no awkwardness after such a heated exchange. Brian took Justin's phone from him and typed in his number labeling it with a simple ‘B' as Justin did the same in his phone. Justin looked at the wall clock noting the time. "I'll meet you downstairs in a few minutes."

 

Brian nodded and left the charming young man to gather his things. Opting to take the stairs instead of the elevator, Brian disengaged the alarm, sliding the loft door open hurriedly and went right to work gathering his files from the computer desk. He debated with himself as he noticed the flashing light on his answering machine blinking rapidly, meaning that it was full. Figuring he had a few minutes before Justin would be ready and against his better judgment, he pressed the button.

 

"Peter, it's Wendy. Look, I know that you're busy but I really need you to call me back. I've been trying your cell and you're not answering. I've left Melanie... again... But this time I'm not going back. I was hoping that we could stay with you; I have our son with me. And I really can't handle staying with my parents-- just don't need to hear the ‘I told you so' and them trying to set me up with Dad's partner's son again. It's times like this I wish you hadn't sold your manor house. I know I said that it wasn't right that you live there all alone but I could... OH, please Brian, call me back immediately. Nothing you have going on could be more important than seeing to the welfare of your son AND his mother. Remember your promise to always be there for me after he was born? Well I need you now. I love you, Peter."

 

The message was time-stamped for today at 10:30 a.m.

 

"Hey Brian, Melanie called and said that Lindsay left.... again. I don't know what the fuck is going on up there in Canada but OUR CHILDREN are in danger. This is NOT what we had in mind when WE decided to give them permission to take OUR CHILDREN up to fucking CANADA!!! You need to fix this shit! Why the fuck aren't you answering your phones. I called the office and Cynthia said you weren't in. I tried your cell phone SEVEN FUCKING TIMES and you STILL aren't answering. WHY WON'T YOU ANSWER ME??!!! I'm going out of my fucking mind here with worry. Call me back!"

 

The message was time-stamped for 10:46 a.m. and followed by alternating calls between both Mikey and Lindsay with a few from Debbie mixed in demanding that he ‘Do something to fix this shit.' By the time Brian finished gathering the last few things he thought he would need, he had a splitting headache and felt the urge to tell them all to fix their own problems beginning by fucking themselves with a sick dick. The other lone message was from Cynthia threatening to quit if she was going to be subjected to the whining and demanding Novotnys and the harridans from up north anymore while she was away. Although she was on assignment this week, all of his personal calls at the office still got forwarded to her when he wasn't in. So when his cell phone bleeped alerting him to a text message, he was even more ready to chuck it. At least he was until he looked at the little envelope with the sender's name.

 

New message from Justin: I don't know if this is of interest to you or not but you might want to wait out back for our car to arrive. Presently I am standing in front of a small man who is determined that I let him inside the building and who is demanding that I tell him where you are. According to him, he's your ‘best friend' and has ongoing permission to wait inside your apartment which I kinda found funny since when I came down here, he was constantly trying his code-- which is the old code-- and didn't work. Funny, isn't it?

 

"FUCK!" Brian exclaimed.

 

Brian had changed the code awhile ago, once all the other tenants moved out of the building. Then he'd left a message with the rental office for the last elusive tenant, who just happened to be the same blond being accosted by Michael at the moment. Although he was sorry that Justin was being pestered, he couldn't say that he was sorry that he'd changed the code to the door in the lobby. Michael had taken it upon himself one too many times to let himself into Brian's home, whether Brian was there or not. The straw that broke the camel's back so to speak was when he had returned from an extended business trip to Chicago to visit Brown Athletics and smelled an unhealthy dose of his aftershave, wafting through the space. He'd walked up to his bedroom to find Michael, sleeping naked in his bed. Needless to say that Brian threw a fucking fit and promptly kicked Michael out, demanding his key back and changing both the code on the front door and the locks on his loft in case Michael had made copies. Even though Brian had forgiven Michael for the violation of his privacy, he still didn't trust the man he used to consider his best friend. He had given Michael the sheets and matching duvet as a parting gift. Brian texted back.

 

Get into the car, have him pull off and then request that he come to the back of the building. I'm going to call the car company now but he may not get the message in time.

 

Justin checked the message when it pinged in his pocket. Still standing there being badgered to within an inch of his sanity, he really began to feel bad for Brian. This person...this Michael Novotny, was a demanding and obnoxious little shit. Justin supposed he thought he could whine him into submission and Justin couldn't deny it was tempting just to shut the annoyingly haunting voice up. But he wouldn't betray Brian like that. In the short amount of time they had come to know each other, Justin believed he had found a true friend in Brian Kinney. He instinctively felt he could trust the tall brunet even if he wouldn't admit it aloud.

 

Completely exasperated Justin said, "Look, I don't know what to tell you but I have never met Brian Kinney. Even if I had, the fact that you don't know the code to the building contradicts all evidence that ‘Brian' would allow you into the building to wait for him. So I won't either."

 

"Look you little shit..." Michael began only to be cut off by the near-irate blond standing in front of him.

 

"No you look, Mr. Novotny," Justin sneered. "The bottom line is that I am NOT letting you in. That said, you can take your chances standing here whining about not being let in or if you really are his ‘best friend' go to the places you guys would normally hang out. Either way, I don't give a fuck." Justin finished off the last of his statement with a nonchalant shrug to solidify his point.

 

Michael rolled his eyes at the man. "Don't you think I tried all that?! I really need to see Brian! Why can't you just do as I ask and let me inside already?!"

 

"Because you don't live here," Justin said as if the answer should have been obvious. "I also don't have confirmation that Mr. Kinney even knows you. Honestly, I would think you were some deranged stalker based on the behavior you're displaying now and I would do my best to avoid anywhere you might be. Perhaps Brian feels the same."

 

"What? What did you say to me?!" Michael screeched. "How dare you?!"

 

Justin laughed. "I dare very much since I'm the one with the code and the key while you're standing here seeking entrance into a place you're obviously not wanted. I would suggest that whatever your problem is, you be an adult and try to handle it yourself." Justin looked almost relieved as he saw the limo heading in their direction. Grabbing his bags into his free hand not holding the important documents he'd collected to meet with Harry, Justin stepped around the little annoying brunet uttering, "Goodbye and good luck to you, Mr. Novotny." He entered the car with the driver's help and left the fuming man on the sidewalk.

 

Michael looked on as the blond left him there without giving him what he wanted. The absolute nerve of that little shit! He felt that he was being lied to as the blond had told him repeatedly that he didn't know who Brian was. Fuck, everybody on Liberty Avenue-- in Pittsburgh gay or straight-- knew who Brian Kinney was. How could they live in the same fucking building and the blond not know who Brian was? It made no sense at all to him.

 

Michael hadn't seen Brian for a few months, although he had talked to him briefly on the phone a few times. Brian had become rather distant since catching him in his bed. Michael almost smiled remembering the look of shock on Brian's face finding him asleep in bed after he returned from that trip to Chicago. Michael had thought to surprise the taller brunet with an offer for companionship, especially since Michael had needed comforting after an argument with Ben over their adopted son, Hunter. Unfortunately, things had not worked out as Michael had hoped. Instead of being happy to see him, Brian had thrown him out, demanded his key and changed the code to the front door. When Brian had figured out that Michael had masturbated in the softness of the bed, he'd shoved used linens into Michael's hand ushered Michael to the door, slamming it in his face. He couldn't remember seeing Brian so angry at the time but a few weeks later, Brian had forgiven Michael and all was right in his world again. Or so he thought at the time.

 

Lately, it was Ted and Emmett who kept Michael abreast of Brian's whereabouts. Whenever he would ask why Brian hadn't returned his calls or why he hadn't seen Brian, they would answer that Brian was either away on business or busy with business. Michael absolutely hated Kinnetik because of it. He'd thought that once he and Brian had decided that it was a good idea for Melanie and Lindsay to live in Toronto with the kids that he and Brian would have each other to lean on again, like when they were kids and it was just the two of them.. Sure, he had his husband Ben but it wasn't the same as having Brian. Brian was his best friend, and both being fathers of children being raised by lesbians, Michael reasoned that they still had a lot in common. But whereas Michael was willing to exploit that connection to see his goal of restarting the ‘Brian and Mikey Show', Brian wasn't. Instead, Brian had thrown himself into making his advertising agency Kinnetik the biggest fucking success the world had ever seen and leaving Michael behind. Nothing had gone according to Michael's plan to reclaim the top priority spot in Brian's life since Gus was no longer available to him and the man wasn't happy about it at all!

 

Now the fucking blond wouldn't give him the access to Brian's lair that he'd demanded. Michael was even more pissed off that the little bastard had called him a stalker. He wasn't stalking Brian! He was doing what a best friend does; he was trying to be there for Brian and their children. The situation with Melanie and Lindsay was getting worse and although he loved his daughter with Melanie, in Michael's mind he wanted nothing more than for Melanie and Lindsay to keep raising the kids in Toronto together.

 

Too many times, Gus, through Lindsay, had blocked Michael's unlimited access to his best friend! Too many times, Michael had asked Brian for a financial favor and he would say ‘I can't since Gus needed X,Y,Z.' At the time Lindsay had decided she wanted a kid with Brian, Michael had done his best to discourage it. He reminded Brian as often as he dared that he was a free spirit, who didn't need to be bogged down with a child. But Lindsay was in Brian's opposite ear, telling him that having Gus would add meaning to his life; would give him that little piece of immortality that the tall brunet craved. Lindsay had gotten her way and Gus was born, which effectively placed Michael on the backburner where she had always wanted him.

 

So years later, thinking that it would bring him and Brian closer again, Michael had agreed to provide the sperm for Melanie to have a baby. They would be related- one lesbian removed- but Brian and Michael's children would grow up as brother and sister. To Michael, it would be almost like marrying the man he loved even if Brian didn't believe in the union. His reasoning was that once Ben was out of the picture for good, Brian would take care of him since they were family and eventually, Brian would finally be ready to settle down when tricking and Kinnetik no longer held any appeal for him.

 

As Michael made himself comfortable on the stoop in front of the loft to wait for Brian, his mind drifted back to the blond that had just left. He supposed that he should be grateful that the boy... Justin, was his name... didn't know Brian. There was something about the blond that Michael hated on sight. Sure, he was attractive enough with his shoulder-length hair and gorgeous blue eyes. Michael couldn't tell what his body really looked like underneath the winter coat but when the blond had gotten in the limo, he could see that he had a fucking beautiful ass; the kind that would instantly catch the attention of Brian Kinney. There was nothing Brian wouldn't do to be able to fuck the blond, not that he would really need to do much at all. In his mind's eye, he could see Brian and Justin writhing around in bed, Brian topping Justin with ease as that beautiful blond's face contorted in ecstasy while Brian drove into him. Michael had seen Brian fuck enough other guys down through the years to know that the man didn't earn the moniker ‘Stud of Liberty Avenue' for nothing. He would have given anything including but not limited to his entire collection of priceless comics and artifacts which he loved even more than his husband and son, to be on the receiving end of Brian's dick but Brian had a stupid rule about not fucking his friends which kind of didn't make sense to Michael.

 

In his mind, how was Brian supposed to get to know and love anybody if they hadn't become his friend first? Which led to Brian's second carefully-guarded rule against repeats. If Brian didn't fuck anyone more than once, he couldn't give his heart to anyone. But then Michael already owned Brian's heart, even though Brian just didn't want to admit it... or so Michael told himself repeatedly. He breathed a sigh of relief having worked that out again for the umpteenth time, assured in the knowledge that even if the blond and Brian had met, there wouldn't be any competition as far as his place in Brian's life. Now he just had to find a way to keep Gus and Lindsay where they belonged, which was in Toronto with Melanie and everything would be perfect again.

 

 

~Part II: YOUR STUDLINESS~ by Nichelle Wellesly

 

 

 

As Brian snuck down the stairs planning his escape from Alcatraz which is what the loft building had suddenly become, he received another text from Justin saying that he had left Michael in front of the building. Justin had recounted their entire conversation for Brian and advised him that they needed to meet somewhere else. Brian nodded, thinking the same thing as he peeked around the corner of the steps and saw Michael sitting there waiting for him. Part of him wanted to go out there and beat some sense into his former best friend, but self-preservation won out and Brian opted for the saner route, which was sneaking out the back door.

 

Making it to his jeep parked down the street without incident, Brian grabbed the packages from his and Justin's shopping excursion and walked to the corner of Fuller and Liberty. Tucking himself into the doorway of an abandoned warehouse, he waited until he saw the front of the stretch limo at the corner to his left. Hurriedly he made his way to the curb even as he heard his name being called in the most cringe-worthy and whiny tone of voice, a voice that could only belong to Michael. The door was flung open even before the car had a chance to come to a complete stop, allowing Brian to hop in and the limo to speed off into traffic.

 

"Thanks," he said simply, trying to calm his racing heartbeat. Looking over at his companion in the backseat he couldn't help but join the blond in his chuckles although his were more from relief than humor.

 

"No problem Brian. I figured that Michael would still be laying in wait for you to show yourself."

 

"Yeah well, he's always been persistent," Brian said sardonically, frowning a little at the end of his statement.

 

"I really don't understand what his problem is. You've shown him in a very explicit way that you don't want to be bothered. And now you've been forced to play James fucking Bond by jumping into moving vehicles just to get away from him."

 

Before Brian had a chance to answer Justin, his cellphone rang. Looking at the caller ID he breathed a sigh of relief noting that it was Emmett calling him. Placing the phone on speaker, Brian answered with a simple, "What's up, Em?"

 

"Oh nothing much, Your Studliness, except that Teddy and I received a rather distraught phone call from Michael moments ago. He said something about you deliberately ignoring him and jumping into a moving vehicle with a blond, who said that he didn't know you when he demanded to be let into the building."

 

"That sounds about right. So what did you tell him?"

 

"Just that perhaps you were too busy to deal with whatever it was he wanted to talk about right now."

 

Brian chuckled. "I bet that went over well."

 

Emmett scoffed in response. "It went so well that I had to hang up on him. You know how high Michael's voice gets when he screeches. My poor virgin ears couldn't take it. I think I even heard dogs barking in the distance from the high frequency of his whining."

 

Both Brian and Justin laughed aloud at Emmett's description. "I know that sound all too well. At least that's over with though."

 

"That's what you think," Ted said. "I've been in touch with Melanie. She called me right after Cynthia told her that you weren't in the office today. Brian, you won't believe the shit that those two dykes have been up to."

 

Brian sighed deeply. "Well since I know you're going to tell me anyway whether I want you to or not, let's just fuck off with the suspense and get to the point."

 

"Melanie caught Lindsay in bed with Sam again," Ted said as nonchalantly as he could.

 

"WHAT?!!! Repeat that bullshit slowly, Ted. I think Michael's whining has damaged my eardrums."

 

"You heard me right, boss. Lindsay and Sam Auerbach were fucking in Melanie and Lindsay's bed. And the kids were in the house, playing in the basement while it was going on. Mel threw Lindsay out of the house and all of her belongings went out the window. When Melanie dropped the kids off at the babysitter today, Lindsay nabbed Gus and headed to Pittsburgh in search of you."

 

"This fucking shit.... Didn't they leave Pittsburgh to get Lindsay away from Sam in the first place?" Brian couldn't believe Lindsay was pulling this shit again and with the same damn man that had caused most of the ‘Battle of the Bulls.'

 

Sam had asked her to run away with him before, and Lindsay had chosen Mel and their little lesbian love lair over the man. Now Lindz was fucking the man again behind Melanie's back and expecting Brian to fix her mistake of infidelity again. The first time, when cheating was Melanie's fault, Brian had paid with his parental rights. The second time when it was Lindsay's fault, Brian had allowed Gus to be moved to Toronto in the hopes of the lesbians achieving their little slice of Heteronormative Heaven. Now Lindsay had gone and rode the bologna pony in her house of carpet-munching and is expecting Brian to pay for it with what this time?

 

"What do you want me to do this time, Brian?" Ted asked as he realized Brian's dilemma. He and Emmett knew what it had taken for Brian to fix the Munchers' shit before, especially Lindsay's. If either of them could help it, the man wouldn't pay that kind of price again. Anyone could say what they wanted to about Brian Kinney, but no one could ever doubt his commitment to Gus' wellbeing.

 

"I think I may have a solution," Justin said. He didn't know all the facts but from what he could gather, Brian would need some serious help in this situation.

 

"Talk fast, Sunshine. My patience with this day isn't what it should be," Brian warned.

 

"I think you might need to see a lawyer immediately."

 

"No shit? I have already figured that much out."

 

Justin narrowed his eyes and folded his lips to keep the sharp retort bubbling up at bay. "I'm offering my lawyer's services," he said instead.

 

"Who is he? And what can he do for me?" Brian asked.

 

"I don't know what he can do for you since I don't have a law degree but if you're willing to speak with him, Harry will be more than happy for another client, especially regarding this."

 

"Harry? The same ‘Harry' you were so comfortable speaking with back at the apartment?" Brian's voice had risen with each question.

 

"Wait," Ted chimed in. "Justin, your lawyer wouldn't happen to be Harry Donaldson would he?"

 

Justin smiled. "How do you know Harry, Ted?"

 

"He's Melanie's ex-partner in the law firm she worked for before she moved to Toronto. Brian I would suggest you speak with him if you can. I'm not sure if it would be a conflict of interests but I do know that a free consultation never hurt anyone and you do need legal advice. Your ass and assets need to be protected at all costs."

 

Brian sighed again. He knew that what Ted and Justin had suggested was right but he was hoping to resolve all of this without having to go through legal channels again. "Fine Ted, I'll speak with him tonight. But then again wouldn't it be a conflict of interests since Justin was planning on meeting the illustrious Mr. Donaldson at the Chartrez event tonight as well?"

 

"Don't worry about it, Brian. If need be, I can handle my business with Harry without you being there. Besides, you haven't even given me a copy of the preliminary contract yet to go over."

 

"I was actually planning on rectifying that oversight once we got to the resort but I might as well give it to you now." Brian reached down into his briefcase and shuffled through the files there until he came up with what he was looking for. "It's a standard internship contract."

 

"Internship?" Ted asked. He wasn't aware of Brian offering anything with Justin beyond this week as his date.

 

"Yes, Ted," Brian drawled. "It seems that young Mr. Taylor here has been accepted to both Carnegie Mellon and PIFA. Providing he can get out of his contract with the dance troupe early, I offered him an internship at Kinnetik. Considering the current chaos our art department is in, I figured that if he were willing to give it a try, he could be useful as a permanent employee while obtaining his degrees."

 

"Oh good, " said Emmett. "Who knew that behind that gorgeous face and hot ass, there was a brilliant mind?"

 

"Thanks for the compliment...I think," Justin responded.

 

"How soon will we know?" Ted asked.

 

"I was supposed to meet with Harry tonight, but I think Brian's problem needs to be addressed before mine. I'll give Harry a call before we reach the resort and bring him up to speed. With any luck both Brian and I will both have some good options."

 

"You know Brian, Lindsay mentioned that she wanted to stay with you," Emmett said. "You don't think that this is just some ploy to..."

 

"Get in my pants again," Brian finished for him. He rolled his eyes heavenward unable to deny that he'd thought the same thing. "I don't know what the hell she's thinking, Emmett. What I do know is that Sam couldn't have known where she lived or gotten her new phone number if Lindsay hadn't given it to him. That was one of the stipulations that Melanie placed on her when they decided to move to Canada. She wasn't to have any contact with Sam Auerbach again. The man is a drunk and a womanizer; Lindsay was just a fuck to him at least according to Melanie. But there is a lot more to this than is being said, on both parts. I'm sure of it."

 

Emmett nodded even though Brian couldn't see it. "Something sure is rotten in the milk with those two, Brian. The third time is supposed to be the charm, instead it is bordering on becoming the Amityville Horror, Crystal Lake, and Elm Street all rolled into one. Who do you think is Freddy Kruger in this shit?"

 

Brian snickered at Emmett's take on the situation. "Ordinarily, I would say Melanie but I think I'll reserve judgment on this one. It still doesn't explain Michael's role in all of this."

 

It was Justin's turn to snicker at that statement. "Tell me Brian, how long have the two of you been ‘best friends?'" he asked, adopting Michael's notorious whine at the end of the question. Justin had heard it so much during his brief encounter with the man that he had the sound pitch perfect and delighted in the small cringe Brian gave at it.

 

"Since we were fourteen, Justin, although that has changed in the last few years."

 

Justin shook his head. "And still you don't know him."

 

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

 

"Brian, the man is obsessed with your whereabouts..."

 

"He's just worried about his daughter, Justin, that's all."

 

"You can believe that if you want to. But in all that time I stood listening to his reasons for wanting into the building to get to you, he mentioned Gus, he mentioned you numerous times, he even mentioned Lindsay, although he spat her name like it was poison to him. But not once did he ever mention anything about his daughter. It was almost as if the thought of her and her mother never even entered his mind while I was standing there trying to reason with him."

 

Ted and Emmett confirmed Justin's observation of the situation. "He's right, Brian," Emmett said. "The whole time he was on the phone with me, it was all about you, and where were you, and he needed to talk to you but YOU were ignoring him. I asked him if he'd spoken with Melanie and he said that he did, but he wasn't interested in hearing anything she had to say unless it was that Lindsay was returning to Toronto where she and Gus belonged."

 

Ted added, "My conversation with Lindsay went in a similar vein to Michael's fixation with you, and Melanie stated the same thing about Michael. She was pissed because he didn't even ask to speak to JR or ask how she was doing. Michael had called to tell her that he didn't give a fuck what was going on between her and Lindsay, but that she had better fix it before you and he came up to Toronto to take the children from them to raise together."

 

"He actually said that?" Brian was incredulous.

 

He had actually hoped that Michael had gotten the foolish ass notion of he and Brian being together in any way, shape, form or fashion beyond friendship out of his head with the advent of Ben, then the littlest hustler Hunter and Michael's infrequent visits to Jenny Rebecca, which gave Michael his long-awaited chance for a semi-traditional family. The day he'd caught Michael naked in his bed, thanks to Ted's warning, Brian knew that he and the professor had an epic argument about Hunter's role in their lives and how Michael was going to move out and live with Brian. Brian had taken great pleasure in disabusing his former best friend of that notion, especially after the smell of sex assaulted his senses when he sat down on the bed next to Michael. There wasn't a doubt in Brian's mind just what Michael had been doing before he'd fallen asleep there.

 

Brian shook himself out of his momentary reverie. "Ted, I need for you to call Cynthia and tell her to get herself back here. I'll call the account personally and reschedule a time when Cyn can take the tour of the facility. You two are the only ones I trust to make this happen. I want both of you to get together with the security at Kinnetik and ban any access to me from both Michael and Lindsay."

 

"And if she has Gus with her, which she undoubtedly will?"

 

"Gus is allowed into the office or wherever I am in the building; Lindsay is not."

 

"You know this isn't going to go over well, Brian. Lindsay's tantrums..."

 

"I know, Ted. I'm counting on the fact that she's a WASP, and usually doesn't like public displays of disagreements to buy me some time."

 

"I'll do what you ask, boss, and I know Cynthia will too. Although, you'll probably want to give her a huge raise afterward so she won't quit."

 

"I know, Ted. I also want their numbers blocked on the PBX system. Sure they might try other avenues, but those can't be helped."

 

"You know Debbie isn't going to like this at all, Brian. I'm almost willing to bet that she has seen, or more than likely, heard from Michael by now about your well-executed escape off Novotny Island," Emmett pointed out, while rolling his eyes.

 

"I know she has, Em but that's what I need you to deal with for me. I know that she'll listen to you, where she won't to me. I don't want to have to tell her all of this shit, not that she won't accuse me of any number of things, including but not limited to breaking poor wittle Mikey's heart yet again." Christ, when is he going to get over this? When will he and Lindsay get over this shit?

 

Emmett cleared his throat a little before responding. "Brian, I know that this may be a little far-fetched... and it might not work at all but... well, perhaps you and Justin should enter a ‘real' relationship."

 

"What?" Brian and Justin said in unison.

 

"Hear me out, guys. No one would believe that you're in a relationship if you just tell them that you are, Brian. You've built yourself up in such a way that no one would believe it's possible for you to find someone, even if you were looking. That theory goes quadruple for Michael, Lindsay and Debbie."

 

"Get to the point, Honeycutt," Brian snapped.

 

"My point, Big Bad Brian, is that unless you bring Justin out and about with you to the diner to see Debbie and to Sunday Dinner a time or five, no one is going to believe that you are involved with anyone, and your stalkers will continue to harass you until you show them that you are off the market. You two need to make public appearances that have nothing to do with business."

 

"Brian, he's right," Ted said. "Although you are the undisputed King of Gay PA, you haven't been out as much as you used to be. Yes, you work your ass off and everyone still lines up for their turn aboard the Kinney Express. But everyone, especially Michael and Lindsay, believe that you are just biding your time until Melanie and Ben are no longer factors."

 

"What the fuck....how do you two come up with this shit?!" Brian demanded.

 

"We aren't coming up with these theories, Brian. Michael and Lindsay are. And they're spouting it to any and everyone who would listen, except you. I'm sure even Ben and Mel have heard the whispers in the wind over the years," Emmett said.

 

Ted confirmed Emmett's words. "The seeds of this particular lie have indeed been planted over and over at various points throughout the years. Ever wonder why Melanie hates you so much? She's heard this same rumor at different points for as long as she's known you. And whenever Lindsay feels that Mel is getting too comfortable, she does whatever she has to do to reenforce Melanie's doubts in reference to you. Usually she appeals to you for something that Melanie is unable, or more accurately, unwilling to provide for her. As a result, Mel gets to look like she's a bitch and you get to be the eternal bad guy, while Lindsay gets to be Mother Earth making ‘peace' between you two... for Gus' sake, of course. To Ben's credit, if he has heard the same thing, he doesn't hold any of the rumors against you personally. I don't think he has any delusions left about Michael after their last argument regarding Hunter."

 

The limo turned off the road into the gated driveway. Although nothing but a park could be seen to the left or the right, Justin was immediately taken in with the scenery while tuning out the rest of the conversation going on around him. Tall trees with their naked branches stood at various points of the property while snow adorned the ground as a blanket would the most inviting bed. Justin's fingers itched to capture it all, being reminded yet again of a time in his life gone by. He and Molly would have damn near killed themselves while hopping and racing from one snowbank to the other in this vast expanse of land.

 

Justin wished he could see it in its full springtime glory. He allowed his imagination to run wild, visualizing exactly how lush the land would look in its full bloom of spring and summer. The bleakness of a notorious Pittsburgh winter gave way to Justin's vision even as he looked over to the west of the property. There was no mistaking that what looked to be a sheet of ice, was actually a lake of some sort. The peaceful atmosphere was just the kind of scenery that made one both drool and dream.

 

When the house finally came into view, he couldn't help but gasp at the sight. The imposing structure and surrounding grounds reminded Justin of a Norman Rockwell painting he'd seen on a postcard once while visiting a museum abroad. The gigantic Tudor mansion didn't seem the least bit out of place among the scenery. In fact, it looked as though it was built specifically for it, without taking away any beauty from the park leading up to the palatial home.

 

"Where are we?" he asked Brian, near breathless in his excitement while beholding a place he'd only ever dreamed of.

 

"Guys, I have to go. We're here. Ted, if you can bring Emmett and meet us at Chartrez. I want you to hear all of the same information I get, firsthand."

 

"Will do, Brian. Black tie?"

 

"Yeah, so Emmett don't come there looking like a drag queen threw up on you. You both are representing Kinnetik tonight."

 

"Shit. Now I can't wear my new gold sequined tux," Emmett joked. "Don't worry about me, Brian. I know how important this is, so I'll be on my best behavior."

 

Brian hung up the phone and looked over to Justin, who was still sitting there in awe. He took in the man who was taking in the scenery of his palace. He remembered the first time Emmett had called him ‘King Kinney' and chuckled after seeing the house. "This is my little getaway, Justin."

 

"Little?" Justin shook his head. "This place is anything but ‘little.' How many rooms does it have?"

 

"Come on and I'll give you a quick tour. Besides we have to get dressed. We have about an hour before we have to leave for Chartrez."

 

"And we're staying here all week?"

 

"Yes, we are." Brian smiled at the look of disbelief still gracing the attractive blond's face.

 

Justin looked into Brian's eyes then. "Then the tour can wait for now. I'd rather get this evening over with."

 

"Why the hurry?"

 

Justin smiled then. "I haven't stayed in five-star hotels this fine. And I get to play ‘Lord of the Manor' for a week. You bet your ass, I'm in a hurry to get this over with."

 

Brian laughed. He was a little worried that after so many years on the road, Justin would feel a little out of sorts in a place like the manor. On the outside, it spoke ritz and glamor but Brian had done his best to make the place feel like a home for him and Gus whenever he came to visit. After Lindsay and Michael's comments, he had considered selling it for a brief time but couldn't let the place go. Growing up in the Kinney household with his drunken father and mean, spiteful and sanctimonious mother, Brian had often dreamt of escaping to a place like this-- a house with many rooms where he could hide himself from the world and no one would be the wiser.

 

So when he began looking for a place away from the city where he could be himself without all the pressures and trappings of being ‘Brian fucking Kinney,' this place didn't call to him; it screamed at him! The fact that the property had been on the market for eighteen months before it came to his notice aided in Brian obtaining it. He paid below fair market value of the home since the former owners were anxious to off load the expense of the mortgage. Brian had taken the money he'd saved and did a complete remodel to his specifications even as he kept many of the original structures and character of the house. If there was one thing Brian knew, it was how to take a rundown old mansion and turn it into a thing of beauty and envy.  

 

"I have to recall the staff for the week. Do you think you could manage until then, Lord Justin?"

 

"Hell yeah, I could," Justin laughed. "Well let's go. We've got a lot to do."

 

Justin's excitement rubbed off on Brian as both men alighted from the car heading into the manor. Brian led Justin through what was the official foyer into the area behind the formal staircase. Entering the center doorway Justin could tell that Brian had knocked down walls leaving the archways to define what was now an open floor plan. From where he stood in the living room, Justin could see all the way to the chef's kitchen at the back of the house. Justin was amazed at the amount of natural light coming from a row of floor-to-ceiling bay windows along the wall. Every piece of furniture and fabric between the living room and kitchen screamed luxury, without feeling like it was staid or unwelcoming. It was definitely high-end, but also comfortable.

 

"You should watch where you step, Justin," Brian said.

 

"Huh?" he asked, bringing his attention back to the man beside him.

 

"I said you should watch where you step. I would hate for you to slip and fall into the puddle of drool at your feet." Brian smirked.

 

"Asshole," Justin laughed. "I really can't believe that you own this place."

 

"Why?"

 

"It just seems so.... well you.... well..." Justin stuttered over his words

 

"Spit it out, Justin. I won't take your head off."

 

"It just seems so homey? Yeah, that's the word. It's homey while you are more ‘Big City Flash' I guess."

 

"What makes you say that?" He was generally curious about what Justin thought of him and the house. Oddly, Justin's characterization of him didn't bother Brian in the least.

 

"I was always taught not to judge a book by its cover. With you, the way you dress, speak and interact with those around you gives the impression of one thing, while this place is portraying another side of you. To anyone who hasn't had a conversation with you, you are as intimidating as this house looks from the outside. You look as if you're a Lion among us mere mortals, ready to take someone's head off if they step on your precious Pradas or hug you tightly enough to wrinkle your favorite Armani. Yet on the inside of this house, there is an inner peace which reminds me of how you are with Ted and Emmett. While you keep everyone else at bay, you hold them close in a sense. You let your guard down with them."

 

Brian cleared his throat. "And do you feel that I do that with you?"

 

Justin thought about all the interactions he'd had with Brian so far. "Yeah."

 

"If that's the case then why are you still so guarded?"

 

"I'm not."

 

"Yeah, you are. On one hand, you are candid in all you say and do. I've never had a more honest and direct conversation with someone I've just met than I did with you in the coffeeshop. Yet when things got a bit more personal, you put up the biggest concrete wall equipped with lasers and electrified barbwire."

 

Justin laughed at his assessment. "Okay, I'll give you that, Mr. Kinney. There's a reason for it and perhaps I'll tell you someday. However, right now we both have to meet with my lawyer and Kinnetik has new clients to schmooze, wow and dazzle. But I'll make a deal with you."

 

"What deal?"

 

"After this week, if we decide to make a real effort to get to know one another as friends, then I'll answer all of your questions directly. I'll let you into my life without reservation."

 

"Why do you have reservations now, especially since you're willing to help me with Lindsay and Michael?"

 

"That's different. I hate it when good parents or people, trying to do the right thing by their children, get manipulated by those around them with ulterior motives. Giving your permission for Gus to be moved to Canada was a noble sacrifice on your part. You wanted him to have a better life, with two parents who loved him without all the added drama of a strained relationship. I can respect that. However, what I can't idly tolerate is someone who is hellbent for leather on taking your kindness for weakness, and all in the name of personal gain. Whatever Lindsay and Michael's motives, it's clear to me that they do not have your little boy's, nor your best interests, at heart. These are completely cock-blocking, self-serving moves they're pulling! And since I would rather be your friend than your enemy, regardless of my own mess, I'll help you where I can."    

 

Brian was amazed at Justin's take on his situation. Although Brian himself had told him little of the problem, Justin was astute enough to know and observant enough to hear the root of Brian's issues. More importantly, he was willing to stand beside him without knowing all the facts firsthand. There was something to be said about blind loyalty, which was something Brian had never given anyone... until now.

 

Brian's cell phone rang again at that moment, breaking the spell of silence, interrupting the need for further introspection on Brian's part. He looked down at the caller ID and rolled his eyes.

 

Justin laughed. "Based on your expression that's either Michael or Lindsay."

 

"It's neither. This time it's Debbie."

 

~LS~

 

"Where's Dad?" Gus asked for the zillionth time since reaching Pittsburgh as Lindsay held the phone up to her ear again. Taking a deep breath, she answered her persistent son.

 

"I don't know, sweetheart. I'm trying to call him again but you know your daddy is busy, right Gus?"

 

"Well I say forget him," the man with the gray hair and stinky cigar said earning him rolled eyes from the ten year old.

 

"I say we forget YOU," Gus retorted without missing a beat.

 

"Gus..."

 

"No mom, NO! I'm pretty tired of the way this man butts into every conversation that we have. It is not his business. This is family business and he's NOT my family. Now find my father."

 

"Gus Peterson-Marcus you apologize to Mr. Auerbach right now," Lindsay demanded.

 

"I can't believe you brought this little shit along, Lindsay," Sam muttered.

 

"You do it," Gus yelled. "I will not apologize to him. He isn't worth it to me."

 

Lindsay blew an exasperated breath. More and more, Gus was beginning to frustrate her. The split with Melanie hadn't helped matters, since he knew all of the details of it. Gus was at the age when much couldn't remain hidden and that was especially true in this case. Sam was kind enough to pay for their plane tickets to Pittsburgh and instead of being grateful, Gus was being a willful stubborn brat!

 

Didn't he understand that until she could get ahold of Brian and he agreed to take care of them, she needed Sam? Didn't he understand that she was doing all of this so that she and Gus could have the kind of life she'd always dreamed of? Oh if only Brian would just pick up the phone...! Brian's voicemail had come on, once again, while Lindsay moved to the bathroom to leave her message. She could still hear her son and Sam going at it, worse than any cat and dog fights she had ever seen.

 

"Brian... Jesus what the fuck are you doing that you can't call me back? I'm in a bind and YOUR son keeps asking for HIS father! I hope you're not leaving me out to dry over a piece of ass, Brian. I would never do that to you, you know. Please Peter, call me back already!"

 

Lindsay hung up the phone, once again, wondering where the hell Brian was. When she'd questioned Ted earlier, he told her that Brian had a major meeting with an account and couldn't be reached. That was bullshit as far as Lindsay was concerned! Surely he could stop whatever he was doing to speak to her; after all, this was an emergency! Unfortunately, she was told the exact same thing when she spoke with Cynthia, before trying to call Brian and ended up speaking with Ted again.

 

She even thought about having Gus make the call so that she could reach Brian. She knew he would never deny a call from his son. But Gus wouldn't do it! Instead, he demanded that she find him like SHE was supposed to do since this was her mess to clean up. For the first time in a long time, she had regretted ever having Brian's son, since the little boy had sounded exactly like his father would have.

 

More than once, Brian had told her that her penchant for cock would get her into trouble if she didn't decide what she wanted. She had tried over the years to convince herself that she was truly happy, and satisfied with Melanie. No doubt, with the brunette Lindsay had achieved some of the best g-spot orgasms of her life. But even with the ‘Glenda the Good Witch' vibrator, it wasn't enough for Lindsay. Sometimes, she needed a stiff dick rammed in her until she couldn't see straight or remember her own name. With Sam, she had found that, but again, it wasn't enough.

 

With Brian though, it would be. He would allow her to be with as many women as she wanted, and fuck her whenever she felt the need to be fucked into oblivion. She remembered those few times in college, when she was still trying to be what her parents wanted. Granted when she and Brian fucked, he was high and stoned enough where he didn't care where his dick ended up. But he still fucked her like a maniac, and she couldn't forget it.

 

In her perfect world, she would be with Brian. She would have status and be a hetero in public; her parents would dote on her as much as they did her sister Lynette, and her place as a queen WASP would be assured. It was the main reason she wanted to have Brian's baby. If things didn't work out between she and Melanie, Brian would take care of her and keep her in the lifestyle she was always meant to have. Her Peter would do anything for his Wendy.... well at least that's what she told herself.

 

Things with Melanie were officially over, and her knight-in-shining-armor was currently lounging in the sitting room of the two bedroom suite that Kinnetik was paying for. Well there was that at least. She wished like hell that she and that idiot Michael hadn't talked Brian into selling that wonderful manor house he had, although their reasons for doing so were vastly different. For Lindsay's part, to her it was too big to live in all alone and would only have encouraged Brian to find a man to share that big beautiful house with. She had dropped all sorts of hints that she would have been happy to live there permanently, and he could come there on weekends to spend time with her... and Gus.

 

Yes of course, Gus! She simply must remember him in all of this. After all, he was her one-way ticket to Brian. But she thought that since the house was so big, they would barely see the boy since it was the perfect house for him to explore in. She would have happily occupied Brian until the little boy remembered that his father was visiting. Lindsay had it all perfectly planned out!

 

But on their next visit to Pittsburgh, Brian had told her that he'd sold it; no longer needing the getaway. Lindsay felt as though her heart had broken at the news. Brian had effectively crushed any dreams she had of living there in her perfect dream home. Although Melanie was a talented attorney, she would never make the kind of money Brian made in order to afford such a mansion. After that, Lindsay had felt that she had settled too many times in her life, and ultimately decided to reinstate her former relationship with a man who could afford her expensive taste.

 

Too bad it was Sam Auerbach. She knew the man really did care for her, but he lacked the finesse that Brian did. Reasoning with herself that Sam was a hetero male with money, she decided that one out of two wasn't bad and allowed him to fuck her again. Their affair had started out small and occasional, but had grown quickly. She would find all kinds of excuses to leave the house the minute Melanie came home:

 

A trip to the grocery store would translate to a tryst in a hotel room downtown. A need to workout would mean a fuck on the running trail of a local park. The need for a spa getaway would result in a few nights in a rented cottage not far from Niagara Falls.

 

Melanie hadn't caught on, or if she did, she hadn't said anything to Lindsay about it. Since Lindsay was technically the housefrau of their relationship, Melanie never questioned Lindsay's whereabouts; never begrudged her the need not to be ‘mom' for awhile. It wasn't really until Sam had shown up, and passionately attacked her neck in the foyer of her home while the kids were playing that Lindsay realized she was playing with fire. Melanie just happened to come home early that day, and caught the two of them mid-fuck. Then she took the kids out allowing Lindsay to get rid of Sam, before they had a major blowout about Lindsay's infidelity ‘and with THAT man,' as Melanie had put it.

 

Melanie had literally pushed Lindsay out of the front door, locking her out while throwing her clothes, and other possessions, out of the window onto the streets. Lindsay was thoroughly humiliated as the neighbors came outside of their homes to watch her scrambling to gather everything she could. Since she and Mel lived in a predominantly same-sex neighborhood, no one would aid her as the details of her betrayal came to the forefront. As far as they were all concerned, Lindsay deserved Melanie's treatment of her. It was one thing to admit that you were Bisexual, but to blatantly hide it, yet sleep with a man, was dishonest and completely unforgivable.

 

Fortunately, the irate woman had remembered to throw down Lindsay's cell phone during her tantrum. Lindsay remembered diving into the dead rosebush making sure that it didn't hit the ground. She promptly called Sam who hadn't checked out of his hotel and within minutes, he had arrived to help her collect what she could. During the night, Lindsay had formulated a plan to get back to Pittsburgh. Since the kids were on winter break from school, Lindsay decided that it would be the perfect time for she and Gus to visit Pittsburgh.

 

Sam had wanted to continue their fuck, so she gracefully obliged, even as she plotted in her head of what she would do once reaching Pittsburgh. While Sam had his requisite postcoital nap, Lindsay grabbed her cellphone and went to work. She'd left a few voicemails for Brian, then called Debbie knowing that she would get a message to Brian about her and Gus' imminent arrival. Her final act before lying down next to Sam was to book them three airline tickets on the first flight out of Toronto into Pittsburgh. When Lindsay had crawled into bed, she told Sam of the things she had done.

 

He'd tried to argue at first, saying that they didn't need to go to Pittsburgh; they could go someplace warm instead. But Lindsay reminded him that she still had her son to consider. When Sam had suggested she leave Gus behind, Lindsay had given him a withering look and explained that she couldn't and wouldn't do that. Gus belonged with her and her little boy needed to see his father at a time like this. With a promise from Lindsay that once things were settled with Gus, she and Sam would take a vacation to paint and fuck, Sam reluctantly agreed to Lindsay's ‘plan.'

 

But nothing was working out the way either of them had hoped!

 

As Lindsay emerged from the bathroom, she heard a door slam from the sitting room. "What.... Sam, where's Gus?" she asked, automatically knowing that something was terribly wrong.

 

The older man shrugged. "He said he was going out."

 

"Well, did he say where?"

 

"No. And I didn't ask him either," Sam said, looking at her directly.

 

"My God, Sam! He's only ten years old!"

 

"Yeah, well he should have thought of that before his little half-grown ass decided he was big enough to leave."

 

She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Sam was proving not to be the man she thought he was. That he would let a little boy roam the streets by himself was beyond anything she would have thought he could do. Besides the last thing she needed was for Gus to get ahold of a phone to call Brian, without her knowing about it. She grabbed the hotel's phone and dialed the front desk.

 

"Front desk. Miranda speaking, how may I help you?" the pleasant sounding voice registered in her ear.

 

"Yes, this is Lindsay Peterson. I'm staying in the Kinnetik suite on the top floor. My son, Gus has left the room. Can you tell me if he's down there?"

 

"How old is your son, Ma'am?"

 

"He's ten years old, but he's tall for his age. I would say he looks almost thirteen."

 

"I'm sorry, Ms. Peterson but he's not here in the lobby."

 

"Well could you alert hotel security that if anyone should see him that he be directed back up to the room? He's not to leave the hotel."

 

"I'll do that, Ma'am although I can't make any guarantees. The hotel is not responsible for keeping track of its guests."

 

"I understand that, but he's just a little boy."

 

"Does Gus have a diminished brain capacity, Ma'am?"

 

"Well no. He's perfectly capable of following directions and finding his way around."

 

"Then if he's able-bodied and of sound-mind, there really isn't anything we can do short of keeping an eye out for him and delivering your message," Miranda said.

 

"If anything happens to my son, I swear I'll sue you," Lindsay threatened, not taking kindly to the lady's condescending tone.

 

"That's certainly your prerogative, Ms. Peterson. Of course, the first question your attorney will ask is ‘Where were you?' Is there anything else I can do for you at this time, Ma'am?"

 

Lindsay hung up the phone without answering. She was at a loss of what to do. Brian wasn't answering his phone, and she was fucking tired of speaking to Ted! It was even harder to get straight answers out of the accountant than it was from Brian directly. Picking up her cell phone again, she dialed a number that she knew all too well.

 

"Hello."

 

"Oh good, Michael, thank you for answering. Look, have you seen Brian? Gus has gone missing and I don't know where he could possibly have gone."

 

"MISSING?! What the fuck do you mean that Gus is missing, Lindsay?!"

 

"Michael, calm down. Maybe I used the wrong word. Gus and I had a disagreement and he stormed out of here while I was in the restroom. I was hoping that he might have called you or Brian, the latter more preferable I'm sure." She lied smoothly while holding her index finger up to her lips when Sam was about to refute her claim.

 

"Well I don't know what the fuck to tell you, Lindsay, except that you better find Brian's kid! I saw Brian get into a limo with a blond earlier, but that was it. He hasn't been returning my phone calls either."

 

"What do you mean he was with a blond? And why isn't he returning your calls? What have you done now?!" Lindsay was bordering on hysteria at the news that Brian was possibly ditching her for some other blond.

 

"What the fuck do you mean ‘what have I done now', Lindsay? Don't tell me that you're about to make the fact that you're a lying, cheating whore and a neglectful mother about me?!" Michael screeched into the phone.

 

"You know what, Michael, FUCK YOU!" Lindsay said, and hung up the phone before she could get the answer to her first question about the blond. By the time she'd realized what happened, she knew that her only real avenue to finding Brian Kinney had now been blocked...possibly permanently.

 

~LS~

 

Gus was literally fuming as he walked down the street away from the hotel. He really couldn't take being there with that stupid man one more minute. Nor his mother! He was so angry! Now he knew what his Momma meant by being so mad that she could chew rusty nails. He and Jenny used to laugh at her when she said it, thinking that it really wasn't possible to be that mad, and that it would have been fun to see her try. Now he understood what she was trying to say. GOD, where was his father?! He would know exactly what to do.

 

Even though Gus was ten years old, he knew how to get around Pittsburgh by himself. He had stayed at the hotel with his dad whenever he would visit. The hotel was their little secret place to get away from the loft. The other secret place was the big house far away, where no mommies were allowed. Gus hadn't told anyone about it, not even Jenny and he KNEW that she could keep a secret. But he hadn't told her because her own dad didn't have one, and he didn't want her to be mad because his dad did. Jenny was more than his sister; she was his only real friend. And he missed her, especially now when he was arguing with his mom.

 

Gus went to the corner and made a right. Things were beginning to look like he'd seen them before. He passed by the park and crossed the street, remembering to look both ways just like his father had taught him during their many walks this way. He saw the line outside of where Grandma Debbie worked but he bypassed it, continuing his walk down the long street. He passed by the store where Auntie Em told him he used to work before he started cooking for a living. Another two blocks and the place he was looking for came into view. The blue building! Gus smiled wide, knowing that he had found his dad.

 

He ran toward the door when he was suddenly knocked to the ground by what felt like an immovable object. Looking up, he was quite afraid until his hazel gaze, so like his father's, travelled up further.

 

"Gus? Gus honey, what are you doing here?!" Emmett reached down and helped the little boy up.

 

Instead of answering right away, Gus reached out and buried his face into his Auntie Em's stomach, throwing his arms around the tall man and holding on as if his life depended on it. "Don't make me go back to her."

 

"Who, Sweetie?"

 

"Mom. Don't make me go back, Auntie Em," Gus sniffled, unable to stop the pent-up tears which he had held back, preferring to display anger at every turn. Tears were a sign of weakness according to his Momma and Gus refused to be weak. Tears were only for if you were hurt, so that someone could help you, and right now Gus needed help! "Where's my dad?"

 

"Oh, Gus," Em crooned. "He isn't here. But I'm going to take you to him, alright?"

 

Gus nodded, relieved that he would see his dad soon. He didn't believe for one second that his mother was really trying all she could think of to get him. She was too busy trying to please the bad man who didn't seem to go away.

 

Emmett disengaged Gus' arms from around his waist, but kept a sure hand at the boy's shoulders. "Come on, Gus. Let's go see Uncle Teddy."

 

Ushering the youngster inside, Emmett took a moment to introduce him to Pete, who was the security guard on duty. Emmett reiterated the orders that Lindsay Peterson nor Michael Novotny were to be allowed entry. He honestly doubted that either of them would come here to look for Gus since they were more concerned with finding Brian. But with them and their one-track minds, it never hurt to err on the side of caution. Coming upon Ted's office, Em knocked softly.

 

When Ted called out, Em announced, "Teddy, look who I literally bumped into on my way out."

 

"Uncle Ted," Gus yelled, and ran toward the accountant. Gus always liked him since he was one of the first adults to talk straight with him. Because of Uncle Ted, Gus was doing really well in math, and was way ahead of his class in Toronto.

 

"Hey Gus, how are you?" Ted embraced the youngster. "I think you must have grown about four inches since I saw you last." Gus stood just about at Ted's shoulder, proving that he was going to be a tall man once he finally stopped growing.

 

"I'm the same height as Momma now, but not quite as tall as mom." Gus said proudly, before changing the subject to who he really wanted to see. "Auntie Em said that you are going to take me to my dad. Is that true?" Gus couldn't help but ask since his mom kept lying to him all the time.

 

Ted shot a look at Emmett, but it wasn't one of malice. It was pity because he really did feel sorry for Gus. But first, he needed to know why Gus was here instead of at the Biltmore. "It's true, Gus, but I have to call him. He has a very important meeting this evening."

 

"But you just said that you were going to take me to him," Gus protested, getting agitated by being delayed.

 

Emmett saw it immediately. "Sweetie, we are. I'll tell you what. Let Uncle Ted call your dad, and while we're on our way to meet him, you can fill us in on everything that's happened. How does that sound?"

 

The look of relief on Gus' young face was answer enough for both men. Ted picked up his cell phone and redialed Brian. He left a message on voicemail for him. Then he dialed Cynthia and left the same message. The final call was to Melanie.

 

"Hi Mel, it's Ted."

 

"Hey, have you been able to reach Brian? I haven't been able to. It keeps going to voicemail."

 

Ted rolled his eyes to the ceiling. "No, I just left a message, too. But honestly, if he feels that whatever is going on with Lindz is going to warrant you giving him a verbal spanking, he's not going to answer. He doesn't have time for it. But..."

 

"What the fuck do you mean he doesn't have time for it, Ted?! This shit should be most important on his fucking list of things to do, not getting his dick sucked!" Melanie sneered.

 

Ted blew up then. "Would you just shut the fuck up and listen to me?! He is NOT getting his dick sucked, although if he were, it's his. HIS, NOT YOURS!! So whose mouth it ends up in has NOTHING to do with YOU! I'm so tired of you all coming down on Brian because he actually HAS a lucrative, thriving business to run instead of being trapped in Romper Room with all of you!" Ted took a deep breath before continuing, softly stroking Gus' hair to let the nervous little boy know that everything was okay. "Now again, Mel, I have something to tell you. Gus left Lindsay's care by himself. I don't know the full story yet, but he is with me and Em right now. I only called you so that you wouldn't worry, and so that you can give some serious thought to the conversation we had earlier about Brian's rights. He needs them like never before, unless you want a repeat performance of ‘Disappearing Gus.'"

 

"What do you mean Gus left? Does Lindsay know?"

 

"Like I said, I don't have all the details yet. But suffice it to say that Gus is not the top priority on her list, if he ever was."

 

"Brian is, of course," Melanie scoffed. "And for more reasons than he can possibly know, which is why I've been trying to call him, Ted. I-- I found something that he should be aware of. Lindsay's been having him followed by a PI in Pittsburgh. According to him and the bill I found, she gets updates on Brian every week. The latest one that just came today showed Brian at the manor house he supposedly sold. I don't know when it was taken, but it's recent. I would even venture to say a week or so ago."

 

"Holy shit! Where is she getting the money to pay a PI like that?" Fuck! The last time Brian had been out to the house before this week was last weekend to have some minor repairs done to the heated pool in the house. That meant that even now, Brian was being followed around. And he didn't even know it!

 

"That's another thing, Ted. You need to cut off all access to Gus' college fund NOW. That's where she's been getting the money from. You deposit the money for Gus' child support directly into our joint account, so nothing moves in or out of it without me knowing. But unfortunately, I didn't think that I needed to be as diligent with the kids' college funds- not with the way things have been up here. Brian sends more than enough to cover Gus' expenses, and he's even given permission for us to use whatever we need for Jenny since Michael doesn't send anything but the toys she always gives away to kids in need. Jenny hasn't played with ‘toys' since she was five. That's two years worth of toys that she's donated when we could really have used the money instead." Melanie rolled her eyes at her choice to have Michael become Jenny's ‘father.' She hated to admit that Brian Kinney would have been the better choice, and she would cut her fucking tongue out before she said it out loud.

 

"I'll block the access, Mel, effective immediately. In the meantime, do you need anything? Regardless of all this shit, you're still family and Brian would fire my ass as his accountant if I didn't take care of things, and that includes you."

 

Mel couldn't believe the lump that formed in her throat at the thought that Brian would still be willing to help her out. "No, we're fine for now, Ted. I would tell you to thank Brian for me, but I know he would rather have his tongue superglued to a lesbian's twat than have my gratitude. So let's keep it our little secret."

 

Ted snickered. Brian and Mel's verbal sparring had always been a source of comedy and angst over the years. But when all else failed they still looked out for each other, just not without the requisite sniping between the two of them. "Will do. I'm going out to the house with Gus now, but do me a favor?"

 

"Anything."

 

"Should you hear from Lindsay, don't tell her about any of this. But most of all, don't tell her where Gus is. I think we should let Brian handle that personally. If we get involved, she'll just deny any culpability. Brian and his boyfriend will be happy that Gus is safe and sound, but pissed off enough to take Lindsay to task for being irresponsible."

 

Mel gasped, which caused Ted to laugh. "What did you say? Boyfriend?! That shit can't be right! Ted, are you drinking more than coffee on the job?" Melanie couldn't help her disbelief. Of all the things Ted could have said, Brian having a fucking boyfriend was the furthest in her imagination. In fact, it wasn't in her imagination at all!

 

"You heard me right, Mel. Justin is a great guy and gorgeous like you wouldn't believe. And he's as clever as Brian; I would definitely say that they are well-suited. It's still fairly new, but Em and I like him a lot. But now that you have your dose of Pitts gossip for the day, let me get going. I have to be in the meeting with Brian in a bit and I want to get Gus settled beforehand."

 

They said their goodbyes, and Ted went to work on all they had talked about regarding the accounts. When Ted had finished, he printed up a copy for Brian to meet with Justin's attorney while at Chartrez. The financial records for Gus' support would go a long way in Brian's favor since he still financially supported a child, who wasn't technically his anymore. Michael always called Brian a ‘drop-in dad', but the truth in black and white was that Brian did more for both Gus and Jenny than Michael had ever done for his own daughter. By Ted's way of thinking, Michael was the ‘drop-in' or more accurately, a deadbeat dad between he and Brian.

 

But those thoughts he would save for the meeting tonight. In the meantime, he tried Brian's cell again and left another message. Then he sent a follow up text, reiterating what he'd left on the voicemail message. He also included the information that Melanie had just given him about Lindsay's activities. Feeling accomplished, Ted shut down his computer, and pocketed his phone.

 

"So Teddy, are you going to fill me in?" Emmett asked.

 

"Later, but first we need to pick up our stuff and head out to the mansion. Since Michael and Lindsay can't get ahold of Brian, that only leaves Debbie. And if we can't head that particular avenue off, Brian is going to be on a rampage."

 

~LS~

 

By the time Melanie got off the phone with Ted, she had made some decisions. The first was that no matter how much she had wanted things to have been different, there was no way she and Lindsay were ever going to get back together. Under Canadian law, Mel and Lindsay could have gotten married at any time. However, Lindsay had decided to wait until a year past them becoming full citizens in case they wanted to move back to Pittsburgh. At the time the decision was made, it had really seemed like the wisest course of action.

 

Things were not going well, and they were having trouble finding steady employment. Although a lawyer for many years in the United States, Mel had to work as a paralegal while studying to take the Canadian Bar Exam. She hated the thought of going backwards to move ahead, but she persevered and was finally able to obtain her law degree. It would allow her to practice both in Canada and the United States since she'd also kept up with the continuing ed classes on line for the US whie waiting. She had always believed in being proactive, and it looked like her forethought was about to pay off in spades.

 

But with only one minute income, Brian had stepped in to make up the deficit in her wages. By supplying more than enough money so that they could live- if not in luxury, then at least in comfortably- some of the pressure had been taken off of Melanie to provide for her family. It was more than clear that he did it for Gus, but all of them benefitted from his benevolence. But what was more important to Mel, was that Brian had never thrown his help into her face. Her pride was one of the most telling characteristics of Melanie, and Brian had not only understood that, but he honored it as well.

 

Then there was this situation with Sam Auerbach. When they moved from the Pitts, Lindsay's affair with the insufferable man was one of the primary reasons that Melanie wanted a change of scenery. Everywhere she turned was a reminder of Lindsay's infidelity. She would find herself wondering if they'd fucked here or there, and Melanie didn't want to live that way. When they decided to start leading separate lives while living under the same roof, each had no idea how it would affect the other.

 

Lindsay absolutely HATED the fact that Melanie was dating other women. In retrospect, it was probably because Lindsay herself wasn't. She was always jealous like that. No, instead Lindsay took to hiding herself within her work, trying to come to terms with the relationship she had ruined while Melanie was pregnant with Jenny Rebecca. After it was all over and they had gotten back together, Lindsay had confessed that the affair with Sam was in direct correlation to her feeling out of control in her life.

 

There were several regrets that kept eating at Lindsay, even as she watched Melanie ripen with a child that Lindsay denied herself the pleasure of carrying in favor of a career. She reasoned to Melanie that if she'd agreed to carry the baby, Gus would have had a blood relative. Melanie told Lindsay that what was done was done, and that they could move on from it together. But that if the relationship had any chance of healing itself, it had to be away from the watchful eyes of the family. At that point, Mel was just so damn tired of everyone else thinking they had some say in the lives she and Lindsay lived, even if it was Lindsay trying to gather allies at the time. 

 

Michael had become even more obnoxious than usual because of their breakup. And his chronic whining and belligerent accusations regarding a situation that wasn't his, began keeping Mel up at night because of wishful dreams of murder and mayhem. She didn't want that kind of thinking to mar her soul, even while she slept, believing that if she died in her sleep with those hateful thoughts about Michael on her heart, she would surely go to hell. She didn't want to give Michael that kind of power over her so she stayed awake. Debbie was smothering Melanie with ‘forgiveness' anecdotes and tons of unsolicited advice.

 

Mel had felt as if she was suffocating through all of the shit the Novotnys kept heaping on her. And although Ben tried to be the voice of reason several times between Mel and Michael, his husband had eventually infected him with the Captain Asshole guide to Self-Righteousness. Their house started to feel like the revolving door of Brian's loft with so many uninvited guests, roaming in and out at will. It just all got to be too much! The only ones who really seemed to stay out of it was Brian, Ted and Emmett.

 

Her moment of extreme alarm was when she began to understand how Brian felt when his privacy had been invaded against his will. She knew then that it was time for a major change. Through a lot of discussion, decision making and planning, Melanie and Lindsay broached the subject of moving to Toronto with Brian and Michael. At first, Brian said yes and Michael had said no, but then a few days later after a lunch with Lindsay, Michael had changed his stance. Melanie had taken a bit of perverse satisfaction in Brian's acquiesce.

 

Mel knew that he loved Gus, and that she had posed this solution to her and Lindsay's problems at a time when he and his son were getting closer. She could look back on it now, and admit that she was a bit jealous simply because Gus wanted to spend more time with Brian, than with her and Lindsay. But more than that, she also knew that Brian would never stand in anyone's happiness, no matter the cost to himself. It was a lesson she had learned by watching him over the years, and she played on that fact when it came time to ask for his blessing. She wasn't proud of her tactics, but deep down she knew that Brian understood exactly what was left unsaid during that meeting.

 

When they had packed the car on the way to Toronto, he said only a few words to her: ‘Don't fuck up.' Strangely, in that moment she understood exactly what he was telling her...that the problem in their relationship was no longer her, but Lindsay's own weakness. But she had to try again; she just had to! She was an overachiever by nature and wanted- no, needed- to try and make the ten year relationship last. Brian Kinney understood more than he had ever said, and now she wished to God that she had listened to what he hadn't spoken.

 

Melanie moved over to the counter, pouring herself a cup of tea. She replayed various rumors and innuendos she'd heard over the years about Brian waiting for Lindsay. But it wasn't like that; she knew that now. It was all in Lindsay's mind. Every problem that Melanie had with Brian could be laid at the feet of her partner... her former partner.

 

Melanie went through a series of conversations as the memories plagued her mind. Lindsay's constant driving and pushing for Mel to take on a bigger caseload; her aversion to the kids being raised by nannies- it was all Lindsay-speak for ‘Work harder Melanie so I can be the WASP I was meant to be.' And like a fool with a death wish, Melanie had. There were times she was so bone weary that she couldn't understand how she was able to walk in a straight line. When money was tight, Melanie absorbed her nest egg that her father left her just so that Lindsay could be happy. Now Melanie had nothing to show for her efforts nor her sacrifice, except a broken ‘marriage' after almost fifteen years.

 

Melanie looked at her empty left hand. She had taken off the band that had rested there for more than ten years the moment Lindsay left with Sam. Empty, like the way she felt, sitting in a house that she had desperately tried to turn into a home. Empty, like her heart, which was now devoid of the venom which had set there for as long as Mel could remember once Lindsay departed. Empty, like the bed she could no longer sleep on due to remembering Sam's hairy ass as it pumped into her wife.

 

Everything around her filled with material things, but still carried the stigma of being empty because there was no warmth in the shell of a house; nothing that said ‘love.' They were just things that held the illusion of beauty, but were just as empty as the woman who put them here to decorate the space. And maybe that was the lesson she should have learned years ago... to choose quality over quantity. Would that she had applied that lesson before she'd ever fell for the likes of Lindsay Peterson- a beautiful witch with a honeyed tongue that dripped poison, who possessed such a black heart.

 

Melanie decided that it was time to move on and regain a full life. One that didn't involve confused lesbians with an incurable penchant for dick. One that didn't mean being bitter and unhappy all the time. One that definitely didn't mean being held in indentured servitude under the pretense of making the relationship work. Part of reclaiming her life meant that Melanie had to take a page out of the book from when she first came to Toronto; go backwards in order to move forward. Melanie was going home to Pittsburgh.

 

"Jenny...."

 

~LS~

 

Debbie hung up the phone under the watchful brown eyes of her son. Michael had rushed into the Diner passed all the waiting patrons to inform her that Gus was missing. Although Michael couldn't hear the message that Debbie left for the tall brunet, she was just as concerned as Michael but for so many other reasons. One of them was that not long before Michael had breezed in, his husband Ben had left. When she asked about where her son was, Ben had given a slight shrug of his shoulders, advising her that she should call Brian since he would have seen more of his own husband lately than he would have.

 

Debbie didn't want to speculate anything. She'd been around enough to know that at base, Michael had created many of his own problems. But when she'd asked what Ben meant by his statement, Ben just shrugged nonchalantly again as if the answer should have been obvious. She had repeatedly warned Michael for the last four years that his obsession with Brian's life was going to cost him his own, and it looked as if she was being proven right. This was the one time that she was hating to be right.

 

"Ma. MA, ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?!" Michael shouted at her.

 

"I think the whole place is listening to you, Michael. Calm down and stop rambling," Debbie said, trying to keep her own impatience in check.

 

Michael rolled his eyes before stating, "See, Ma? He's not even picking up for you. That fucking blond he's with is probably holding him hostage or some other such shit! Lindsay said he isn't picking up for her either."

 

"What blond?" Debbie asked. Michael had left that part out when he first started complaining that Brian had run away from him.

 

"The other tenant in his building. Haven't you been listening to a fucking word I've said? That bubble-butt bastard told me that he didn't know Brian when I told him that I wanted to be let into the building. He told me that he wasn't going to let me in, and then he got into a limo and left. But not five minutes later, Brian jumped into the limo with that asshole and left me running down the sidewalk! I know he saw and heard me calling him, Ma!"

 

"Yes, well. Brian is busy, Michael. Ted said that they have been working well into the night on a campaign, whose opening is tonight. Perhaps he and Brian had some meeting before the event. After all, Brian does run a successful business and has those types of meetings all the time, Michael. You know, if you put half your effort into YOUR own business instead of chasing after Brian, you could be having meetings with limo riders, too! And regardless of the blond and his connection to Brian, I doubt that Brian has time for any drama of Lindsay and Melanie's making. And as for you, you should be concentrating on your OWN marital problems and not involved with any of this! By now, Gus is probably on his way to Brian's office, which he knows the way to since he's been there hundreds of times."

 

"Ma," Michael whined. Deliberately disregarding Debbie's advice he said, "Gus doesn't live here so he can't possibly know where Brian's office is. He and Lindsay should still be in Toronto, Mother, with Melanie and JR! And why the fuck would he go to Brian's office?! He should be back at the hotel with Lindsay, trying to convince her to return to his other mother!" Debbie reached over and smacked Michael in the back of the head. "Ow! What the hell was that for?!"

 

"Just making sure that your head was still on top of your shoulders and not in your ass since you seem to be talking out of it. This, Michael, is NONE of your business! And it sure as fuck isn't Brian's, past making sure that Gus is okay. Lindsay and Melanie are supposed to be grown women, able to handle their problems on their own."

 

"That's my thought too, but neither of them seem willing to work it out. Instead, Lindsay is planning on moving back here," Michael whined again, panic making it more annoying than usual.

 

Debbie rolled her eyes at the entire episode. "So? So what if she does move back here? Perhaps that will mean that Melanie will move back with my granddaughter. You remember her, don't you Michael? Now THAT'S who you should be thinking of right now!"

 

Michael shook his head as if trying to dispel her words from his psyche. "I am thinking of her. Mel, Lindsay, and the kids belong in Toronto!"

 

"Mel, Lindsay and the kids belong with their family, Michael!" Debbie argued. "They never should have left! They had no plan to speak of when they up and just decided to move. I know they felt that it would give them a new start, but sometimes new doesn't always mean better. Take it from me, I know. Now you listen to me, Michael Charles Novotny-Bruckner... STOP chasing after Brian and start dealing with YOUR marriage! Ben was in here a little while ago."

 

"Oh? What did he say?" Michael asked, genuinely curious. He and Ben had been avoiding each other ever since Brian had kicked him out of the loft weeks ago, and Michael had to return home to Ben. Carl, Debbie's husband, had told Michael in no uncertain terms that he was not welcomed to stay with them, and that he needed to work out his problems with Ben without involving Debbie.

 

"It wasn't what he said that bothered me, Michael, but what he didn't. You're going to fuck around and lose the best thing that ever happened to you...again!" She referred to his former relationship with his ex-partner, David Cameron. Back then she had blamed Brian for coming between the two of them, but Debbie was beginning to wonder if that was really case.

 

"What are you talking about, Ma? Ben's not going anywhere," Michael said confidently.


"Keep fucking around and he will. And so will Hunter. You want to lose the little family you've built for yourself to go chasing after something that will never be? Well then don't let me fucking stop you! But when you lose everything that you always said was important to you, don't expect NOT to hear me say, ‘I told you so.'" Debbie left Michael frowning and pouting at the counter to go and take care of her customers, hoping that her words would finally turn on the lightbulb in her son' brain. He could be so fucking stupid sometimes, but I still love the little asshole.  

 

~Part III: WHO'S YOUR DADDY NOW?~ by Nichelle Wellesly
Author's Notes:

Shorter Chapter but pretty important. There may be a second part to it...

BTW... This is un-Beta'd so any mistakes are mine. 

Part III: Who's Your Daddy Now?   

 

Brian and Justin arrived at the resort. He had been briefed on the situation concerning Gus during another phone call from Ted and Emmett. Brian was beyond pissed upon hearing from Gus' lips that Lindsay had the gall to let Sam speak to Gus in the manner he had. He was tempted to call Lindsay back to just to yell her fucking ear off; something that Ted, Emmett and the blond beside him strongly advised against.

 

"Brian, you need to meet with Harry before you take even the slightest action. It's true that Lindsay has been derelict in her care of Gus in favor of her lover- her male lover- but right now, Melanie holds your rights. I'm sure that there won't be an issue with you getting them back especially since she told me to block Lindsay's access to Gus' college fund," Ted's calm voice came through over the speaker of Brian's cell phone.

"That's another thing that I can't understand, Ted. Melanie nearly dropped her uterus because I wanted to maintain sole control of that money in the first place. Why the sudden change of heart?" From Ted and Emmett's sudden silence over the phone, he knew that he wasn't going to like what they had to say. "Spill it and don't leave a fucking thing out!"

Ted inhaled sharply, an action not lost on either of the men. Since working for Brian, Ted had learned to discern what Brian needed to be told immediately from what could wait until he was in a more reasonable state of mind. Unfortunately, Ted could neither wait to tell Brian nor could he wait for King Kinney to reign himself in. Shaking his head, he began to speak. "Brian, she has been having you followed by a PI, whom she hired with money from Gus' college fund."

"WHAT?!" Brian exploded. "The bitch has been having me followed?!" Brian was having trouble reconciling the Lindsay he befriended in college to the scheming, conniving harridan she had obviously become. "Why?"

Ted was about to answer but a small voice answered him, instead. "Why do you think, Dad? For months, you were all Mom talked about- mostly while she thought Jenny and I weren't listening. Sometimes she would speak out loud to no one. You know, sort of how Uncle Ted does when he is working on a b..b.. Budget, yeah that's the word! A budget and then other times she would be on the phone with someone. I remember that she almost accidentally called Sam by your name more than a few times on the way to Pittsburgh. But she stopped herself from doing it. I really wish she had so that he would have left."

 

All of the older men were silent as they processed what Gus said. This thing with Sam Auerbach had really taken its toll on Gus, something they could all see clearly. It was a wonder why Lindsay couldn't. But then again, Lindsay was proving herself to be a selfish bitch, even where her child was concerned. Emmett broke the silence.

 

"Brian, you owe it to yourself- to Gus- to speak with Harry Donaldson before you make any sudden decisions."

"And to talk with Mel, Brian," Ted cut in. "She actually might surprise you."

"I seriously doubt that but whatever. One more thing though. I think I better call Horvath. If anyone can run interference with Debbie, it's him. She's already called but I didn't pick up."

"You think she's talked to Michael?" Ted asked.

"I'm pretty sure she has. She left a message but honestly, I don't want to hear it right now."

"I'll call her," Emmett volunteered. "You have enough to worry about already tonight. But- um- how much do you want me to tell her?"

Brian thought about it a moment. He knew that the fact that he hadn't picked up immediately when she called was going to be a sore point with her. And if Mikey was true-to-form, he had only given her what he wanted Deb to know; the things that only affected him. Michael was if nothing else, predictable. "Tell her all of it, Em, including what she doesn't know about Michael."

"You mean--"

"All of it, Emmett. And yes, that includes about my return trip from Chicago but only if it's necessary."

"I know that Deb knows you've been busy with Kinnetik, Bri, since I told her that myself," Ted reassured him.

"Yes, but we all know how Debbie gets when there's about to be blood in the water- so to speak- and it involves bursting Michael's perfect little bubble."

For the first time during the entire conversation, Justin spoke up. "I agree with Brian. I've known Deb a long time and although I've never met Michael until today, I know how she is with everyone else. If she's that over-protective of the gays on Liberty Avenue, what do you think she'll be like when her own son feels threatened?"

"Tell her all of it," Brian confirmed. "This way she can't say that she wasn't told and that she didn't know. Just make sure that Ben isn't around when you're on the phone with her. The last thing I need is to be blamed for putting a stop to Michael's foray into hetero-mania."

"I don't think you'll have to worry too much about blame being placed on you this time Brian. Ben found the sheets," Ted told him.

"What?" Brian closed his eyes. How could Michael have been so stupid?

"He called me earlier while we were at the diner. Remember that call I went outside to take? That was Ben. He didn't want Debbie to overhear until he had all the facts. I'm just glad that you told me about it the night it happened."

"What? What happened?" Justin asked.

Brian reached over to ruffle his blond hair. "A lot that we don't really have time to talk about now. But suffice it to say that my married ex-best friend thought that it was a good idea to let himself into my loft and make himself way too comfortable."

"Understated much, Brian?" Emmett said. "Justin, Brian never sleeps on anything other than silk sheets unless he's planning for a night of extreme pleasure in which he owns several of the Si Exxxtreme sheets, which are made of supersoft rubber and waterproof, if you get my meaning. Let's just say that the silk sheets are of the finest quality and hold certain odors prior to washing. They are imported and matched the duvet perfectly. You'll get to understand this about Brian, if you haven't already. He never does anything half-assed. Consequently, a certain someone's whole ass sans drawers was romping around in his bedding, which cost well over a thousand dollars when he arrived home from his last trip to Chicago."

Justin burst out laughing at the scene that Emmett painted in his head. Looking over to his companion's look of reminiscence and subsequent fury, Justin laughed harder. "No...wonder...he is so obsessed with you," he gasped out.

"Yeah well, glad I could provide you with this evening's entertainment. Remind me to take it out of your pay."

"Bullshit," Justin retorted. "If this had happened to Ted or Emmett, you can't tell me that you wouldn't be laughing, too."

 

Brian rolled his eyes at the young man unable to force back the chuckle that escaped him. It still amazed him how at ease he felt with Justin. He felt as comfortable with him as he did with Ted and Emmett, only there was more. Before he had a chance to stop himself, he grabbed the younger man, pulling him onto his side of the limo and connected their lips. The melodious sound of Justin's laughter quickly made music of a different sort. The moan which vibrated against Brian's lips went straight to his cock. Breaking the kiss, he watched as Justin's long dark blond lashes rested against his pinkened cheeks and Brian couldn't deny that Justin was a beautiful sight to behold. As Justin lifted his eyes slowly to rest on Brian's, the older man could see the sapphire blue they had become with Justin's sudden arousal. Brian smirked at the thought which flitted through his mind: The look of an angel with the lust of a devil. He was looking forward to testing that theory before the night was through.

 

They were interrupted by Emmett clearing his throat. "So where were we? Oh yes, Brian, are you sure you want me to tell Debbie everything? And by everything I mean about Gus being with you instead of missing?"

Brian sighed. This shit was getting even more complicated by the second. "You can't tell her that part, Emmett. You remember what almost happened with that Montgomery woman and the courts? If the judge had her way, the littlest hustler, Hunter would be back out tricking and all because some narrow-minded twit thought that he should be with his mommy," Brian adopted a high-pitched sanctimonious voice at the end of his spiel. "I will not let go of my son the way his mother apparently has for sake of an invisible umbilical cord that judges seem to think every woman who gives birth has. My own fucking mother didn't and Lindsay doesn't either. But the rest, you can tell Debbie."

"Now that's a woman who should have cut the cord long since," Justin muttered, which earned him a light smack in the back of the head. "Ouch...but it's the truth."

Brian chuckled. "I know it is but you can't say that. You don't know Michael."

"Well from what I've seen of him so far, I don't want to either. All he needs is a diaper and a pacifier and he would be a two year old." Justin rolled his eyes even while he heard snickers from the other end of the phone's receiver.

"It looks like Justin knows Michael very well, Brian," Ted said. "We're on the way to the manor now. Does Gus have clothes there or do we need to make a stop?"

"Gus has the last suit that I bought him at the house. There shouldn't be too much adult stuff happening there tonight so it should be safe for you and Emmett to bring him. I expect you both front and center in less than an hour."

"Don't worry Brian, we'll be there. Plus Cynthia is coming too. She figured that since her flight gets in at about seven, there's no point in her going to the office. I think it's a good idea for her to be there, especially since you have to be able to split your time in three different directions tonight. Plus you have to introduce your partner to people."

"I don't have a fucking partner. I thought we agreed that this wasn't going to work."

"No Brian, YOU agreed with yourself that it wouldn't work. Emmett and Ted agreed that it would. As for me, there's no harm in playing make believe for now and it can only help your case," answered Justin with a smile.

Clearly outnumbered Brian said, "Alright. But does that mean I get ALL the rights and privileges a partner gets, too?"

Justin leaned over and kissed Brian hungrily, leaving the man breathless as he finished. He put his tongue to his upper lip as if tasting Brian there and then smiled as he looked at Brian dazed expression. "Only if I get those same rights, Brian." The small wink he added on the back of his statement spoke volumes.

 

They disconnected the call with Ted, Em and Gus upon arriving at the resort. Upon entry Brian inspected each setting asking Justin what he thought. With a few well-placed suggestions and minor changes, Brian had to admit that Justin was going to fulfill his role as intern admirably. With the young man's artistic vision coupled with Brian's, the night was sure to be a success for Kinnetik. They were just rounding the corner to another section of the ballroom that would serve as a dance floor when Justin stopped abruptly, halting Brian in the process.

 

"Let's go back to the other side," Justin stammered, never taking his eyes off the couple at the far end of the large space.

"What's the matter?" Brian grabbed the younger man around the waist, turning him around so that they were face-to-face.

"N..nothing. I just don't think that there is anything we can do in here."

"Uh-huh," Brian uttered noncommittally. "Who are they?"

Justin didn't need to know who he was talking about The only other people in that end of the ballroom were the serving staff setting out wine glasses and champagne flutes to be filled upon request. "They're nobody."

Brian took note of the suddenly rigid posture and Justin's downcast eyes and knew beyond doubt that the younger man was lying to him. "Justin..."

"No, Brian. I don't want to talk about this now."

"Just now instead of later as well?"

Justin shook head. "I....I " Fortunately as he was about to answer Brian's question, they were interrupted by a newcomer.

"Justin, my boy! How the hell are you?" Harry's booming voice reached them.

Justin breathed a sigh of relief even as he smiled genuinely at the man who had been like a second father to him. "Harry! It's so great to see you." They embraced tightly, happy in the knowledge that they were once again reunited. "How are things?"

"Well now that you are home, maybe Molly will come up for air. She's been at the lab both day and night, working on something but she won't tell us anything beyond that. Personally I think that Professor Callahan is driving her too hard."

Justin smiled. "Well you know Mollusk, Harry. Tell her she can't do something and she'll spend every waking minute proving them wrong."

Harry nodded. "That's true, son, but this time it's more than that. I feel it and I'm never wrong."

Justin nodded in return, flashing back to a time when Harry's theories regarding his own life had been dead on. "What do you think it is then?"

"I don't know exactly, Justin. But I do know that she is hiding something."

"I'll ask her when I can finally catch up to her."

"Make sure that you do. Now I would like to meet your Brian," Harry deftly switched the subject to the man who was hovering near Justin.

"He's not MY Brian, Harry." Justin laughed.

"Oh, so that's why he's standing so close to you and I interrupted what could have become something more except for my ill-timing." He laughed at the sudden stain of embarrassment on Justin's cheeks before extending his hand. "Harry Donaldson, Esquire."

"Brian Kinney," the tall brunet answered back smiling. During the brief exchange that he had witnessed between Justin and the older gentleman, Brian had decided that he liked the plain-speaking man. "Thanks for agreeing to meet with Justin and me."

"No need to thank me. There isn't much that I wouldn't do for Justin."

Justin looked out of the corner of his eyes, noticing that they had drawn the attention of the couple at the end of the ballroom. "How about we move this back to the front office? Brian, your briefcase is there, right?" Without waiting for an answer, Justin began to make his way around the corner when the most dreaded voice in his memory reached him.

"I thought that was you, Justin. What the fuck are you doing here?" the newcomer said, spite laced in every nuance of his voice.

Justin rolled his eyes heavenward before drawing himself up to his full-height. Displaying a confidence he didn't feel, he turned around. "Craig. I would say that it is good to see you, but I would be lying through my teeth and you aren't worth that."

"I thought you were dead," Craig sneered.

"Why aren't you dead yet? I would have thought that the she-wolf you married would have eaten you by now."

"Do not talk about your step-mother that way!" Craig raised his voice, causing all the action within the room to cease. "You will give her the respect she deserves, unlike yourself!"

Justin laughed, the bitterness he felt towards the man before him seeping through the sound. "The only thing that bitch deserves is a 9x9 cell in jail or a spot reserved in hell. But maybe she has it already since she's still married to you."

Craig grabbed him by his arm as Justin turned away. "Listen here, you ungrateful little..."

Craig's sentence trailed off as his wrist was abruptly grabbed and twisted, causing him to release Justin's arm with a grimace at the man touching him. The angry hazel eyes which looked upon him with contempt startled him.

"If you ever want to use this hand to eat with or jerk off, you won't touch Justin again," Brian said, growling quietly.

"Look pal, I don't know who the fuck you think you are but this doesn't concern you," Craig gritted out as he detached his hand forcefully from the strong grip holding it in an uncomfortable position.

"On the contrary, Craig. It concerns me a great deal."

"Brian, let's just go." Justin requested.

"You aren't going anywhere, Justin! Not until I'm through with you!" sneered Craig.

Brian laughed. "Justin, who is this clown? We should sign him up for tomorrow's entertainment."

"He's someone who no longer matters. Truthfully, he never did," Justin answered. "Come on, Brian. I think it's time we took care of our business and try to enjoy the rest of this evening."

"You will do as I say! Do you hear me, Justin? You will stand there and..." Craig's sentence trailed off as the wrist of his right hand was abruptly grabbed and twisted again, causing him to release his grip on Justin's arm.

Harry, who had remained silent throughout the entire exchange, looked from Justin's shocked expression to the pain mirrored in Craig's watery blue eyes. But the fury in Brian's eyes, which had turned a glittering green, caused Harry to believe that it was time to put a stop to this contretemps now. "Brian, release the idiot, if you please." Harry said calmly although he was on the brink of laughter when the tall brunet narrowed his eyes before fulfilling the request. Turning to the sputtering man before them, he said, "Craig, this is neither the time nor the place for your bullshit. All that wasn't said between you and Justin the day he left your house is a moot point and wouldn't make a difference now that he is a full-grown man."

"I don't give a fuck if he is fucking twelve or a hundred and twelve! He's my fucking son and I'll say whatever I want, whenever I want to him and neither you nor the buffoon that's with him will stop me!" Craig had moved closer to Harry, trying to intimidate the well-bred lawyer into obeying his will.

Instead of backing down, Harry applauded. The echos of his palms began softly until the noise reached a crescendo magnified by the acoustics within the near empty ballroom. Harry waited until the final ‘clap' of his hands finished reverberating off of the walls, causing the deafening silence to once again reign supreme. "Are you finished with your drama king moment, Craig? Did you get the ultimate pleasure with all eyes being on you; all ears listening to that drivel you spat? All you succeeded in doing was showing yourself as a petulant child, who hasn't and still won't get his way. You should be somewhere in the corner with a dunce cap on since you appear to be too stupid to know when to let go. Justin and Molly have made it more than abundantly clear that they want NOTHING to do with you. In fact, if Justin wanted to, he could still summon the police to take you and your sorry bitch of a wife to jail since the restraining orders against the both of you have never been lifted. So a word of advice, Craig....stay the fuck away from Justin."

"And if I don't?" Craig spat through gritted teeth. He was angry because his plans for Justin would, once again, be thwarted. Because of the fucking pissant he'd created with that bitch Jennifer, Craig's former lucrative business had gone down the drain.

 

When Justin and Molly had his wife arrested for child endangerment and abuse, Craig Taylor was also held up to public ridicule for endangerment and neglect, which grossly affected his business. It didn't matter that he had cut a plea bargain, which earned him probation and community service instead of jail time. All that the public- his WASPy community- had seen was a man who sided with the abuser of his children. It was an open secret that Craig had kicked Justin out without a dime to his name- a situation that Harry and those fucking Sheltons had rectified at Craig's expense. Although he was allowed to keep his store, the operating costs alone kept him in debt. The only reason that he was allowed at the Chartrez opening was because Marlene had won a contest that afforded them a week's stay at the all-inclusive resort. Considering it was an opening with many of the nouveau-riche instead of those with old money attending, Craig and Marlene had figured that it was a good way to drum up business.

But with the arrival of his out-of-control and ever-belligerant son, that opportunity looked to be slipping through his fingers as well. He knew that Justin was a dancer with a stellar reputation. His name had always been bandied about whenever Craig was within earshot of those wishing him to know that he hadn't destroyed the younger man. As far as Craig was concerned, Justin owed him for the very air he breathed and it was time that he share his wealth with his old man since Justin had wantonly destroyed his.    

 

Harry had stood silent, watching all of the emotions play over the countenance he had grown to hate for many years. He knew that Craig's motives were all about greed and supposed guilt that he intended to heap upon Justin for his own failures as a man. Harry Donaldson was not about to let that happen! "If you don't, I will happily have your ass removed from the facility right now."

"You can't do that," Craig sputtered.

"He's right, Harry. You can't," Brian said with a small smirk on his face. "But my partner and I can."

"What the fuck are you talking about? Harry, who is this fucking partner he is talking about?"

Brian grabbed hold of the partner in question. "Craig Taylor, meet my partner, Justin Taylor. But then I guess you kind of already figured it out." Brian leaned down and kissed the blond locks that neatly tucked under his chin as if it automatically knew where it belonged.

"What the fuck? My son is gay? There's no fucking way I spawned a faggot!"

All three men laughed at the histrionics of Craig and the subsequent looks of disgust on Marlene's face. Justin answered for them all. "Since technically ‘faggot' means bundle of sticks, I don't suppose you did spawn one, Craig. But then again you may have since you've had a stick up your ass as long as I can remember. Now if you're asking if you have a homosexual for a son, then the answer is yes. Which means I like cock, just like the many that have been fucking your wife's ass, pussy and throat. I'm sure there have been many MANY more to do the same since the day I left home, but that's beside the point. The only one I'm interested in is Brian's." He shrugged even as he threw a proprietary arm around the Armani-clad slender hips.

"That's disgusting!" Craig exclaimed.

"Then why are you here? The Chartrez family are very liberal and they don't tolerate bigotry of any kind," Brian said.

Harry smiled at that point. "Which means, Craig, that you and Marlene had better watch yourselves and the viper tongues in your heads. I doubt that you can withstand any more hits to your nearly non-existent clientele as it is. The last thing you would want is to be tossed out of here on your asses without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Have a nice stay. Gentlemen," Harry concluded, turning his back on the unwanted couple in favor of Brian and Justin, who he was there to see.

 

As they moved off, Justin felt a little uneasy about the whole situation. He didn't want to start the week off on the wrong foot. "Brian, I'm sorry."

The older man stopped beside him. Turning the blond's downcast eyes upward to face him, he smiled gently. "There isn't any need to be, Sunshine. I too have had my share of experiences with parents. It's a fate worst than death."

Justin burst out laughing, which relieved both Brian and Harry but then grew serious again. "I suppose you have questions..."

Brian nodded. "Plenty of them, but that's for you to tell me when you're ready. I mean I am your ‘partner' after all, so I guess I should know about these things." Brian made the universal signs for air quotes to emphasize his point. They entered the business office at the front of the resort where Brian's briefcase was waiting along with Harry's wife.

Before Justin could answer, Harry did. "It's true that the two of you have a lot to talk about. In fact, we all do. First though, I'd like to introduce you to my wife..."

 

"Ava!" Justin ran over to embrace the petite red-head in the glittering emerald green ballgown. "It's been much too long."

She wrapped her arms around him as well. "That it has, Elf. My let me look at you," she said, her southern accent thick. "I can't remember the last time I've seen you in a suit. Boss or Armani."

Justin laughed. "Ever the fashion queen even though you were born in Mississippi. It's Armani. Brian picked it out."

Ava turned eyes the color of her dress onto the tall man standing next to her husband. "My, my, Justin. I leave you alone for a few years and look at what you bring back. That sure is a tall drink of water, son. Are you sure you want a drink?"

"What makes you think that I haven't taken a sip already?" Justin wrinkled his nose cutely.

She lowered her voice to keep this portion of their conversation private. "Because you don't bottom for just anyone, Justin. In fact, you've never bottomed for anyone. And that man is a top through and through."

"Okay so you're right but..."

Ava shook her head. "No buts, baby boy. If you are ever going to give up your ass, I would suggest that it be to the legendary Brian Kinney."

"How did you... How do you know him?"

She smiled brightly. "My brother was the one who initiated Brian into the joys of gay sex- as Allen terms it- when he was in high school. After that, I would always hear bits and pieces of the man's life through him. Allen has never forgotten his favorite student, even though he hasn't seen Brian in many years and lives his life firmly in the closet. Brian, on the other hand, has always been bold and brash even as a teen; never one to rest on his laurels or accept the mediocre when there is something better out there. You would do well to remember that when dealing with him."

"Who says that I want to deal with him past this week?"

Ava laughed again. "Oh Elf, you're not fooling me! That man has got his hooks into you already. And from where I'm standing, it's not one sided." She giggled even further at Justin's horrified expression from being called the nickname she had given him when he was just a small-statured kid with his blond hair and piercing blue eyes. Now, his hair was longer and his eyes, still that piercing shade of blue, were now a little more worldly. But although he now towered over her, to Ava, Justin would always be her little Elf.

 

They both looked over to the other end of the small space. Justin felt the shock of awareness the moment his and Brian's eyes met. As Brian crossed the room over to them, Justin couldn't help but lick his lips in response to the sudden dryness assaulting his mouth. Brian was truly beautiful, but it was so much more than that. He thought back briefly to how the brunet had quickly reacted to Craig touching him. Part of him protested that Brian stepped in to protect him, but a larger part was secretly thrilled. He could feel the arousal thrum deep within his body as he heard the low growl in Brian's voice as he first issued Craig a warning and then when he was asked to let the annoying asshole go. Justin decided that Ava was right. If there was ever a man Justin wanted to bottom for, it was Brian Kinney.

Justin snapped back to the present in time enough to hear the conversation between Ava, Brian and Harry, leaning into the long, strong arms that had encircled his waist from behind. He felt so comfortable there, as if Brian's body was the most enticing pillow for his back to rest upon. Justin could feel the steady beat of Brian's heart just above his shoulder blade and feel his warm breath just above his ear lobe. It was taking everything in Justin to remain still instead of turning in the man's arms and kissing him senseless. But this wasn't the time for such overtures.

 

"I took the liberty of calling Melanie, Brian," Harry said. "She and I had a long talk about the things you and Justin told me."

"Oh? And what did the she-wolf have to say?" Brian asked with a single eyebrow raised.

Harry chuckled. It wasn't the first time he had been a witness to the name-calling between Brian Kinney and Melanie Marcus. "She said that she was on her way to Pittsburgh."

"What? Why?"

"Apparently, she talked to your accountant. I know that Ted is supposed to bring certain documents regarding your son's college fund with him, but do you have copies of the cancelled support checks with you?"

 

Brian reached out, never fully letting go of his hold on Justin and grabbed his briefcase. He pulled out two large folders containing the copies of cashed checks that he had given Lindsay and Melanie over the years. Ava took hold of them, opening them carefully before sitting down at the desk with a calculator in hand. Brian and Justin watched in amazement as Ava's hands flew across the keys without looking as she began to tally up all of the sheets. She placed them into two piles- one for child support and another for what Brian had termed ‘Incidentals.' The incidental payments was money that was supposed to be paid back to him at no interests for things that pertained to their house in Toronto. Brian hadn't thought much about loaning them the money since it benefitted Gus. But the fact that Michael hadn't been paying anything for the care of Jenny, who he still retained his parental rights for, put everything in a whole new perspective financially.

 

"Who asked you for all of the incidental money, Brian?" Ava asked as she kept going over the figures.

 

"Lindsay did," he answered without hesitation.

 

"Did she ever send you a receipt showing where the money was going?"

 

As Brian was about to answer, Ted walked in with a briefcase of his own, as well as Emmett and Gus. The little boy ran to his father and without a shred of hesitation or dignity, Brian picked up his son, closing his eyes as he inhaled the sweet scent of his Sonny boy. "Gus. God, you've grown so tall. Let me put you down and look at you."

Gus allowed himself to be put down, but he stayed close to his dad. It was as though he was afraid Brian would disappear if he let go of him. "Uncle Ted says that I must have grown about four inches since you guys last saw me," the little boy said proudly.

Brian nodded. "Well Ted is the accountant so I guess he would know. This is Justin. Justin, this is my son, Gus."

 

Justin smiled at the little miniature Brian and held out his hand. He was surprised when the little boy shoved his hand away and instead, embraced him as he had done to Brian. At first, Justin wasn't sure what he should do, but catching Brian's eyes for permission, Justin hugged the little boy back. As Gus pulled back, Justin couldn't help but ruffle the soft auburn hair. It was amazing to him to be welcomed by the son of a man he had only met a few hours ago. Justin felt that his life was drastically changing. For better or worse he wasn't sure yet, but so far he was enjoying the ride.

 

"So you're daddy's boyfriend. I can see why he picked you," Gus said in a sure voice.

 

"Oh really? Why do you think he would pick me instead of Emmett? After all, they're both...tall." Justin laughed.

 

Gus laughed too. "That's silly, Jus. Dad and Auntie Em are like brothers in a sort of weird, alternate universe sort of way."

 

"You mean like a fairy tale, video game, play sibling sort of way?"

 

"Yeah... that's it. They could be brothers on a video game but in real life, they would probably kill each other."

 

The whole room, including Brian and Emmett, erupted in laughter. "Leave it to you and Gus to condense my whole existence down to a video game, Sunshine," Brian said.

 

"Well you would make a good superhero, Mr. Kinney. But first, you need another good sidekick to do his job," Justin replied. "So tell us, Harry, does Brian have a case?"

 

Harry looked up from the stack of papers he was holding that Ted had handed him upon arrival in the office. "Yes, he does, and a very strong one. But first, we have to find out what Lindsay has been doing with the other money that you sent her beyond the child support. I know that Mel said that she hired some sort of private detective to follow you around, but with the sum of money that you have been giving her, even before she left Pittsburgh for Toronto, there has to be something else that we are missing."

 

"I guess we'll have to wait until Melanie gets here to find out."

 

"Mama's coming here? Dad, you aren't going to send me home with her, are you?" Gus' panicked voice rang out. "She'll make me go back to Mom and I don't want to. Not now, not ever especially while she's with that Sam asshole!"

"Gus, language!" Brian chastised sternly although he could understand his son's sentiments. "Now as for the rest, we'll see what happens. I don't think your mama is going to make you go back to Lindsay but if she does, we will handle it."

"You promise?" Gus asked, tears in his eyes.

Brian had never heard his son sound so small, even when he was a little boy. There was definitely more to this than met the eye to make the normally self-assured boy become unconfident in the adults around him. "Yes Gus, I promise."

 

Brian's cell phone rung at that moment. He looked down at the caller ID and rolled his eyes. Lindsay was calling again. Debating with himself on whether to answer it, he was surprised when the phone was snatched out of his hands. Before he had a chance to register what was happening, Justin had pressed the phone's speaker button and held his index finger to his lips for everyone to be quiet.

 

"Brian's phone, who is this?"

 

"Yes, this is Lindsay Petersen, his son's mother. I want to speak with Brian right now." Lindsay's tone was as proper and stinging as it always was when she was having a bad day.

 

"I'm sorry Ms. Petersen, but Brian isn't available. May I take a message?"

 

"No, you may not! I want...wait who are you?"

 

Justin chuckled softly. "That's an easy question, which deserves an equally easy answer. I'm Brian's partner and as I've said, Brian is busy. If you would like to leave a message, I'll give him the message as soon as he is finished with his clients. In the meantime, we have a business to run."

 

"We? Look I don't know who you THINK you are, but you are NOT Brian Kinney's partner!"

 

"And what makes you so sure that I'm not?"

 

"Because I'm Brian's WIFE, therefore you cannot possibly be Brian's partner!" Lindsay sneered.

 

Justin laughed and clapped his hands much in the same way that Harry had done to Craig earlier in the evening. "Bravo, Ms. Lindsay, excellent performance. But here's the thing sweetheart... Unless you've grown a nine-inch cock and have a nice ass, your act needs work. So that said, I'll let Brian know that you called when he's finished with our clients. In the meantime, I would concentrate my efforts on my own partnership, if I were you. I'm sure your WIFE wouldn't have been too happy with you thinking that you are Brian's main squeeze. Looks like you have a lot of apologizing, or should we call it apolo-lying to do since we both know that you're definitely a sorry person, but not in an apologetic kind of way. Gotta run...Ta Ta, for now!" And with that Justin hung up the phone on the sputtering voice, who was trying to deliver a scathing retort.

 

Justin turned around to face the room full of stunned people. He wished he had a camera to capture the looks of each and every facial expression. He couldn't deny that he had taken pleasure in putting the bitch in her place, even if it brought the wrath of Brian Kinney down on his head.

 

Brian cleared his throat after gathering his bearings. "Sunshine, remind me never to piss you off."

 

Justin smiled his full-on smile then. "I promise."     

 

 

End Notes:

TBC Soon!! 

~Part IV: MIDDLE GROUND~ by Nichelle Wellesly
Author's Notes:

Probably the shortest chapter I've written in awhile. Hope you enjoy it!! Special THANK YOU to Lorie for editing! Love ya!

 

Happy Reading and HUGS Y'all,

~Nichelle

Professor Joel Callahan looked upon his wife as she put the finishing touches on her makeup. Even five months pregnant and just beginning to ripen, he couldn't deny that she still looked like a throwback to the Hollywood Starlets of his youth. That had been his first thought when he'd seen her two years ago in the most frequented cafe around campus.  "I wish we didn't have to go tonight, Joel. I look like an overstuffed strawberry," his wife complained.

He couldn't help but laugh. "You look like a goddess." And she did. Not only was her hair shining like spun gold but her soft skin was dewy and radiant. To him, she had never been more beautiful. "Besides, you know my aunt and uncle. They'll send stormtroopers if we don't show up tonight. They haven't seen you for a while and specifically asked me to bring you."

She rolled her eyes good-naturedly at the mention of the Chartrez couple. They were the kind of people she wished that her own family were like. Her brother had been away for a long time and although she had been dodging his calls, she missed him. It wasn't that she didn't want him to know about the pregnancy- she did- but the fact that she had married Joel without the benefit or approval of her family was another matter. She had been successfully hiding it for over a year, whereas Joel had wanted to shout it from the rooftops. Somehow, she had convinced him to keep a lid on it until she was ready but it would have to be soon. As she looked down at herself again, she took a deep breath before rising from the vanity in the main hotel's penthouse suite.

"You're sure you just couldn't make my excuses at dinner and tell them I'll see them tomorrow?"

"No can do, Doll. Besides, it's the grand opening and as two of the initial investors we should be there. After putting in an appearance, if it's still too much for you we can always come back here. I promise to rub your feet."

That earned him a chuckle from his wife. "I'm holding you to that and a few more perks." She seductively ran a single digit up the tall man's midsection, making it abundantly clear what other ‘perks' she meant.

 

Entering the nearly full ballroom a few minutes later, the couple couldn't help but be surprised at the transformation. Not only were the chandeliers gleaming but the stylish wallpaper complimented the decor. Both had not seen the room since the first day the construction had begun. Joel laughed softly as his wife's blue eyes lit up when they landed on the buffet tables along the side wall. People milled about while others waited on the long line trying to also sample every delight offered.  

"I can't believe what Uncle Pete and Aunt Prissy have done with this place," Joel marveled.

"I can. Your aunt and uncle are amazing," his wife answered. "I thought they were crazy when they had suggested a resort like this."

"I know it's weird. No one is fighting or threatened by same-sex and hetero couples."

"My brother would have loved this place," she answered wistfully.

Taking in her sudden melancholy, Joel tried his best to cheer her up. "Tell you what Doll. Why don't we get you settled at our table and I'll come back for the food." He laughed as the mention of food lit her eyes and brought out a bright smile. "I knew that would do it."

She chuckled. "Don't blame me. I wouldn't be surprised if he or she came out the size of a big rig with the amount of food I put away."

"More than usual?"

"Oh shut up, turkey!" They both laughed again at her nickname for him. "Mark my words, as soon as I drop this little foodie, I'll back down to my usual weight."

"Okay, but don't lose the boobs though. I kinda like the boobs."

She playfully smacked his arm. "You always have, which is what got us into this mess in the first place. Now, I will go and find our table. I think Aunt Prissy said that it's near the front of the other room. In the meantime, get me some food before I eat you instead."

He wrapped his long arm around her waist, pulling her in close so that she was plastered against the front of his body. Lowering his lips to her ear, he licked the delicate outer shell and enjoyed the shiver that raced through her at the contact. "Later," he murmured just before giving it one last fast lick and releasing her. The blue eyes glittered up at him with her arousal. It was just one more thing he loved about her being pregnant. His wife was already a sex machine, but pregnant, she had the ability to fuck him to sleep. And what man wouldn't enjoy that!

 

The blonde made her way through the throng of people, noticing many conversations all happening at the same time. There was some talk about the owner of the advertising company Kinnetik and his partner who were making rounds with Uncle Peter and Aunt Prissy. Based on the way the resort looked, she imagined that Mr. Kinney's business would be booming by the end of the week long opening. She had yet to meet the man but Joel said that although he was gay, he was an Alpha male. She took that to mean that he was controlling of everything and everyone around him. Because he had garnered such high praise from her extended family, she decided that she would keep an open mind when she finally did meet him. Ordinarily she would run the other way since her father was like that.

"Can I help you, Mrs. Callahan, you seem a little lost?" a hazel eyed gentleman happened up on the side of her.

She couldn't deny that he was absolutely gorgeous and had she not been married, she might have considered giving him a good tumble. Pasting on a smile even as she wondered how or why he knew her legally-married name she said, "Thank you. That would be great. There are just so many more people than I expected." She took the proffered arm of the stranger, figuring that if anything happened, there were a roomful of people that would come to her aid. She was just naturally distrustful like that. Drawing on years of etiquette classes, she decided to make a little small talk to calm her inner nerves. "I really can't believe the opening is finally here. Aunt Prissy must be beside herself with excitement."

The tall brunet smiled down at her. "I'm sure Priscilla Chartrez is excited although she's doing an admirable job of keeping it all under wraps and being the consummate professional. Peter on the other hand is hard to contain."

She laughed. "I imagine he is busting at the seams. It's all he's been able to talk about for the last two years."

"Oh? What sparked him to want to open up a place like this?"

"A good friend of his was killed at a resort that was advertised as gay friendly although it was mostly for hetero couples. He and his partner David used to own steakhouses throughout the States. Anyway, they were just doing what other couples do while walking on the beach hand-in-hand when they came upon the local riffraff. According to Uncle Peter, when the cops caught up with the perpetrators and asked why they had done that, it turned out that one of the owners had ordered that they be killed. Although the other six partners on the board of the hotel were liberal people, John St. Marks was a closeted bigot. Also apparent was that he had been getting away with killing off random couples who stayed there for years- gay, interracial, black- it didn't matter. This was the only one that happened at the resort though."

"I hate fucking creeps like that which is why I didn't mind helping the Chartrez Resort make a name for themselves. By the way, my name is Brian Kinney."

She smiled wide. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Mr. Kinney. I'll Malinda  Taylor-Callahan although you can call me..."

"Molly," the newcomer said.

 

Justin had been separated from Brian when he got stuck talking to Harry. It wasn't that he minded or that he knew what Harry was doing. He hadn't seen Craig and Marlene since their altercation just before the doors opened up. The meeting inside the office was even more enlightening than before Lindsay's phone call. Ted, in all of his neuroticness, added to the records that Brian had brought with him to show Harry and Ava. As Ted and Ava went over the monthly expenses for Gus' supposed care, it was uncovered that Melanie hadn't been made aware of any of it. Like Ted, Melanie kept strict financial records which he had access to online in addition to her sending him the hardcopies at the end of every month. In that impromptu meeting, Justin learned that it paid to be a bit more over-vigilant than not at all.

Also according to Ted, Michael had been on him about giving him money to help with Red Cape Comics. The funny thing was that Ted was the accountant for the store since it was established under Kinnetik when Michael had first gone into business for himself. Consequently, Ted was never taken off the records as the accountant when Michael decided that he and Brian shouldn't be in business together anymore during one of their spats. For years, Michael had been regretting that decision and had tried to get Brian to come on board again which Ted advised Brian against. The business in and of itself was high-risk and not very lucrative with the current market being aimed at web comics and the like. It would have been a bad business decision on Brian's part.

 

But the most interesting development in the whole Red Cape Woe Show had been where the money had actually been going. Michael would occasionally send Mel checks for amounts ranging from ten dollars to fifty dollars for the care of their daughter Jenny. Yet he was sending checks to Lindsay for three hundred dollars monthly and thereby letting his rent, which Ben paid for, lapse for several months or making partial payments. The reason he was so focused on Brian was not only had Ben found out three days ago that the money he had been pouring into the failed business venture had not been turning a profit, but apparently the money Michael had been sending to Lindsay was to cover his share of the private detective's fee to keep tabs on Brian. Needless to say that Brian was pissed off and not only was Brian, but Gus was too.

 

Justin had learned a little bit more of how and why Gus came to be as they went over the financial records and he couldn't help but feel a little sorry for Brian. Part of the reason Justin didn't have any close friends was because of his inability to blindly trust anyone outside of Harry, his sister and the Sheltons. But Brian had trusted Lindsay's judgment and friendship on more than one occasion even in matters concerning his son. From what Emmett had whispered to him, it sounded like he and Brian had a lot more in common than just their drives in business. Emmett had confided that Brian had come from an equally abusive home although in reality his was probably worse than Justin's. Instead of the inattention coming from Justin's father, it came from Brian's mother and the physical abuse which came from Brian's father had come from Justin's step-mother. If that wasn't enough to convince Justin that Emmett was right about becoming partners- even fake ones- than nothing else would.

 

Justin forged his way through the crowd, stopping to make conversation here, and listening to an observation there, until he had finally spotted Brian in the company of a petite blonde woman dressed to the nines in red. Her hair had reminded him of his own glistening color which he'd heard described many times as a halo. He would laugh when people would say that but now looking at the back of the shining blonde locks, he had to agree. There was something vaguely familiar about the set of the woman's shoulders as Brian led her effortlessly through the crowd, keeping up conversation while he deftly avoided the milling crowd who would bump into her. He figured being a gentleman was just another facet of Brian's personality that he would enjoy uncovering. It was already becoming hard to think of Brian as his boss, even if that was exactly what he was. But Justin thought that there was no harm in getting to know the man beneath the facade he showed to the world.  Following the couple at a sedate pace, Justin had caught up to them as they were introducing themselves.

"...I'm Brian Kinney."

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Mr. Kinney. I'm Malinda Taylor-Callahan, although you can call me..."

"Molly," the word had slipped out of Justin's mouth before he even registered that it had.

"Jus!" she exclaimed, pivoting around to embrace him fully. She couldn't believe it. Her big brother was there in the flesh. She pulled back to get a good look at him, everything else in their vicinity forgotten as she regarded the man who wasn't only family but who she'd always thought of as her hero. Finding her voice again as she drank in the sight of him she asked, "What are you doing here?"

Justin was having the same reaction to seeing the sister that he hadn't seen in many years except the one day he was home a few years ago. "I'm here with my partner."

"Partner?" she asked wrinkling her nose in a way that reminded Justin of when she was an eight-year old. "Well where is she...errrr or is it a she?"

Justin really laughed then and embraced her again briefly. "You've actually already met him. Brian, this is my little sister, Molly."

Brian smiled at the blond duo in front of him. He took in the sparkle of their eyes and the identical wide, guileless smiles and marveled that he didn't put it together before then. "It's a pleasure to meet you Molly. Justin didn't tell me that his little sister was so beautiful."

Molly laughed. "My, my don't you turn a pretty phrase, Brian. And for the record, Jus, I'm not so little anymore."

"I noticed. And what's with the last name?" Justin asked, a little frown marring his cherubic features.

Before she had a chance to answer they were interrupted. "Doll, I was wondering where you had gotten off to," Joel came up to the small group, looking curiously at the other two men.

"Honey, this is Brian Kinney and this man is my brother, Justin," Molly said as she drew him forward.

Joel placed the plates down onto the table before he dropped them. Grabbing Justin's hand he began to shake it, "I can't believe you're here. Is the rest of your family? I know that we should have told you before, but Molly..."

Justin looked as puzzled and shell-shocked as Brian did at the newcomer. Shaking his head as the man continued to babble on and Molly stood there giggling like a drunk school-girl, Justin finally asked. "Wait...now what was it you should have told me?"

Molly chuckled before extending her hand to both Joel and Justin. Looking into blue eyes so like her own, Molly stated, "I'm married, Justin. Joel and I have been married for two years. We've been keeping it a secret but now that I'm pregnant..."

It was then that Justin allowed his eyes to travel down the front of her. The flowing red gown reminiscent of a toga gracefully framed her burgeoning baby bump. Some of his reaction to the news must have shown on his face as Brian said into his ear, "You should probably say something along the lines of congratulations, Sunshine. It wouldn't do for your baby sister to think you weren't pleased with this."

Justin met Brian's eyes, his own wide with shock. When Harry had told him not two hours ago that there was something going on with Molly and that she was hiding something from them, the last thing that entered his mind was that she was married and pregnant. He'd even thought that it may have been an illness but a marriage? Shaking himself out of his reverie, Justin took Brian's advice and uttered, "Congratulations Mollusk. I really am happy if you are, but why have you been keeping it a secret from us all this time?"

The answer that might have come was cut short by the arrival behind her of people she never wanted to see again in her life. The honeyed voice purred near her ear even as Justin and Brian tensed beside her unwitting husband.

"See bitch, I knew you were just a fucking whore. It's all you or your mother have ever been good for."

Molly turned to face the hate-filled voice of Marlene Taylor, drew back her fist and connected.      

End Notes:

And now we see what the little spitfire known as Molly has been up to. But don't worry there is more to her backstory to come along with everything else! 

More Soon!

~Part V: TANGLED WEBS~ by Nichelle Wellesly
Author's Notes:

 

As promised, here's the update to "The Lion and the Stud!" 

Happy Reading and HUGS!!

 

 

 

Part V- TANGLED WEBS

 

Justin was the first to recover from the shock of what he'd just witnessed. Molly had a right-hook to die for, and she just used it to cold-cock the most hateful woman of their acquaintance. Noticing that Molly was steadily progressing towards the woman crumbled at their feet -more than likely intent on doing more harm- Justin grabbed the young woman carefully by the waist and held her against his body. He always knew that his sister had a temper but had never been one to see it first hand. The rise and fall of her chest demonstrated her ire as she continued to struggle against him. Her fists were balled and although angry, her voice as she spoke threats to the trash on the floor, was even and controlled. She turned to face her brother, eyes flashing as she ordered him to release her.

He swallowed hard and then spoke into her ear, automatically knowing that his next words would make the entire situation a reality instead of a waking nightmare. "You can't Molly, think of the baby. I will not have you putting my niece or nephew in danger for this tragic bitch. Besides you and I have a lot of catching up to do. We can't do that if you are trapped in a cell awaiting trial for attempted murder. So calm down, please."

"How can you say that? After what that bitch did to us, and what she just said to me, how can you tell me to calm down? How can you expect me to?" Molly continued to rant, even as she felt the comforting hand of her husband on her back.

Justin watched the effect Joel's hand had on the irate young woman he'd only known as his kid sister. It was eye-opening as he watched the blue eyes regarding him fill with tears, the fight suddenly leaving them as quickly as it had come. Removing his eyes from hers, he spoke to the man over his sister's left shoulder. Even he was amazed at the low tone of his voice as he addressed Joel. It felt natural, something which surprised him as he slipped into the role of Brian's partner once more and not that of overprotective brother. "We are attracting undue attention right now, which won't be good for your aunt and uncle. I need you to take my sister somewhere and get her calmed down. Once that happens, you are both to return here. Brian and I will handle Marlene and Craig."

"Justin I..." Joel began only to be silenced by Justin's raised hand.

"Don't worry about it. I'll see to the explanations. We'll take care of it."

 

Joel nodded, leading his distraught wife away. He had heard about Molly and Justin's childhood, but wasn't prepared for the reality of it. If he wasn't so shocked, he had no doubt that he would have knocked the smug look off of Craig Taylor's face as it loomed behind their group, smirking while his harridan of a companion voiced her inappropriate comment. He would make them pay... but he would give Justin the opportunity to do so first.

Justin looked dispassionately at the woman still crouched at their feet.

 

"I'm going to press charges against that bitch," Marlene screeched. "That little whore is going to pay for hitting and embarrassing me. She belongs in a cell."

Much to her surprise, Justin laughed. There was no humor in it at all, but he had to give Marlene credit for being as predictable as they come. When he crouched down beside her, he spoke low enough for only her ears to hear.  "You're one to talk about women behind bars. I still wonder why they never kept you. I'm sure that you must have fucked a cop in exchange for him losing the paperwork. Whatever your game Marlene, it didn't work before, and it won't work now."

"I wouldn't be so sure of that, Justin", Marlene said, anger lacing her tone. She and Craig had devised this little scene upon finding out that Malinda Taylor would also be in residence. Imagine their surprise to find out that she was married. To their warped way of thinking, she had no fucking right to marry anyone without their permission. Looking at the couple who was moving through the gathering, she knew that the only way to get to Molly would be to take away the one thing she was holding on to. She smiled evilly before addressing her stepson again. "Molly will come home where she has always belonged and there isn't a fucking thing you can do to stop it."

 

Justin's nostrils flared. He didn't know what the purpose of Craig and Marlene's presence was, but he knew that it didn't bode well. He needed to speak to Harry and Greg straightaway. It was time for the failsafe that the three of them had devised long ago in case Craig and Marlene would come for Molly. He knew that initially Marlene's plan was to get rid of him because he protected his sister many times at the expense of himself. He looked to Craig, who was still standing there but keeping his eyes on Brian. Craig's fear of the tall brunet radiated off of him in waves which restored Justin's confidence in ways that the young blond never would have thought possible. There was more to all of this than met the eye. He just needed to find out what it was and protect Molly and himself in the process.

 

"Brian, is security on their way?" Justin asked, raising his position near Marlene.

Craig laughed at his son's audacity. "You can't throw us out Justin. I don't give a fuck what this asshole's position is or the one he puts your ass in every night. You don't have any authority here."

"You're right Craig, I don't. But Mr. and Mrs. Chartrez do, and since you're here upon their sufferance, I'm sure that they are well aware of the trouble you and this bitch keep causing. After all, this isn't the first time your presence has caused a disturbance this evening, is it?"

 

Craig narrowed his eyes at Justin. He had always hated Justin. Both he and Molly looked just like Jennifer and were a constant reminder of his failure. Since Molly and Justin's defection, things had gone downhill. Not only had the Sheltons protected his children, but they had gained the inheritance that Jennifer had left for her children. After losing custody of Molly and having to replace all of the money he'd stolen from her college fund, Craig's business had suffered. Not only did he have to pay back that money, but the Sheltons, with the help of Harry Donaldson had sued him independent of Justin for the money he'd taken from Justin's college fund as well. Craig had to put up Taylor Electronics as collateral to keep from doing jail time until the entire debt was paid off. The rest of the money he had stashed away was used to fund Marlene's short-term stay in the Women's prison. But now it seemed that Molly would escape him again.

In an attempt to once again expand his business, Craig had borrowed money from Antonio Laurent, a dangerous loan shark and local businessman who was ruthless in his own right. Upon learning about the full history of Craig and Marlene Taylor, the loan shark had been willing to forgive his debts to them in exchange for Molly. Antonio had never forgotten Molly or the fact that Marlene had promised him a turn with her during the early days of his career. If Craig couldn't produce her within the month -by the time the next payment was due- both he and Marlene could end up dead.

Craig had tried to acquire the recent bequeathment that had come to Molly and Justin from their mother's great aunt, who had died of a sudden heart attack six months prior. After going through escrow and paying the estate taxes off, not only were Molly and Justin the owners of several properties but were multi-millionaires as well. But since the will was in Molly and Justin's names only, Craig couldn't touch a penny of it without permission. He would have been happy to withhold Justin's, after all, he was a faggot and had disappointed his father over and over again. But Molly's inheritance was different. It was to be signed over to the loan shark when he turned her over to him. In addition to that, Taylor Electronics would be bought and paid for during the transaction. Craig had to get Molly back.

 

Brian interrupted the retort that Craig was about to issue. "I would you suggest that you and your wife retire to your room for the remainder of the evening. If it were me, I would kick your asses to the curb right now and save the time but alas, I will leave that decision to Mr. and Mrs. Chartrez, although I'll still give that as my recommendation. Mr. Benson, please escort them to room 355."

"How did you know where our room was?" Marlene huffed as she rose from the floor. She was no longer garnering the type of attention she wanted and it seemed pointless to remain there, while they talked about her as if she was of little or no importance. She would definitely have some scores to settle by the time they regained Molly's person.

Brian laughed. "I know everything about this place, more specifically how the rooms are assigned and the like. You won a contest to be here, so NO you wouldn't have been given stellar accommodations, since you didn't pay to be here. However, since the Chartrez Resort, in and of itself, is both fancy and fascinating, your room is still pretty top notch compared to others. That said, you are on the promotional package and cannot afford the upgrade to concierge service many of the other guests are receiving. Keep that in mind, when Mr. and Mrs. Chartrez come to speak with you." Brian nodded to Mr. Benson who in turn took charge of the attention-seeking assholes and escorted them out of the ballroom.

"How long do you think it will take before Peter and Priscilla make their way to Craig and Marlene?" Justin asked him, moving closer seeking his warmth.

Brian pulled the younger man closer. He was beginning to understand the toll being in the presence of Craig and Marlene Taylor was really costing his temporary boyfriend. Having been the product of people who should never have been allowed to reproduce, Brian could sympathize with Justin's discomfort. He had experienced it himself countless times throughout the years, even after he was grown and began his career. Jack and Joan Kinney would never win any awards for parents of the year but as fucked up as it was, Brian was glad for having to deal with them so that he could help Justin and his sister. "I think Peter and Prissy are going to let them stew for a few days. Craig and Marlene will be under guard and forced to stay in their rooms until they choose to deal with them. That's something at least."

"Yeah it is," Justin replied, snuggling deeper into Brian's embrace. He inhaled the enticing scent of the man holding him, once again feeling comforted in a way that he never had before. Justin forced himself to remember that this closeness between them was all for show and that at the end of the week, they were going their separate ways, even though they would remain business associates. Pulling out of Brian's arms, he looked up at the man regarding him. He needed to get his head back to business immediately. "Well now that we have officially caused a ruckus and drawn undue attention to ourselves, I suppose we should separate and mingle to reassure them that this ‘family drama' doesn't reflect the views of the Chartrez family or is indicative of the resort's nightly entertainment. This was certainly bad dinner-theater at its worst."

Brian gave a tongue-in-cheek expression at Justin's last statement, which made the younger man snicker in response. "I have a better idea."

"What? Is it legal? I hear that public nudity isn't as regarded in the U.S. as it is in Europe so I guess that's out."

"Dance with me," Brian spoke against Justin's temple when he pulled him close again.

 

Instead of answering, Justin allowed himself to be led to the dance floor, never taking his eyes from the hazel ones that seemed to be burning themselves into him.  Justin swallowed the lump that formed in his throat at being asked to dance for any reason other than money. Not many people understood what it really took for him to make it to the top of his field as a show performer. Dancing, something that he used to love to do, had become more of a chore. For years he endured countless hours of training with very little downtime, and what had once been his joy became both his greatest asset and the source of his greatest pain. It was his livelihood, his only way out of an untenable situation, but also his only source of salvation from starvation and possible prostitution so that he wouldn't have to see Craig or always be afraid of what the man could do as a means of revenge against him. Dance had been good to him and afforded him a way to hide from everything, including himself. Now at the pinnacle of his career, he was ready to give it up and design a new life for himself. Brian asking him to dance for the pure pleasure of it was only the beginning of the reinvention of Justin Cole Taylor. He welcomed it with an open heart, a bright smile and blue eyes melding into hazel. And for the first time in a long while, Justin was definitely looking forward to the rest of his life.

 

~LS~

 

Lindsay left the hotel room fuming at the phone call and being denied access to Brian yet again. She didn't know who that person thought he was, but she would be complaining to Brian about his hired help as soon as she caught up to him. He had duties and responsibilities to her, and it was time he remembered that. Sam noticed her agitation and automatically assumed that it was because Gus was missing. She let him think that. As soon as she got the goods on Brian, Sam would be history; he had served his purpose. She would convince Brian to give her the money so that she could pay the artist back before sending him on his merry way.

Lindsay doubled over in pain as she walked the streets of the city of her birth. She had been having sharp pains like that for a while now. It had begun about three weeks after she had began her deception on Melanie. It wasn't constant but when the pains hit, they made her gasp at their intensity. When she'd mentioned them to Melanie one night after the brunette had spent almost an hour licking and stroking her to no avail, Mel told her that she should make an appointment, that with the stress they had both been under it was possible that she was developing an ulcer. She had made the appointment after explaining the pains to Brian in a late night phone call. He had sent her a check for a thousand dollars since they didn't have health insurance. But upon receiving the check and cashing it, Lindsay saw a lingerie sale in one of Toronto's premier shops. She tried to remember what the money was for, but couldn't seem to think passed her immediate wants. She had gone into the store and blown all but fifty dollars of the money thinking that a doctor's appointment really couldn't be that expensive. Lindsay was in for a surprise when the bill for the remaining balance came in the mail. She had just received the final notice for payment a week ago, forcing her to push her timeline for "Operation Rich Bitch."

The pain had finally subsided, allowing Lindsay to resume her walk at her normal pace. The call with Brian's boy toy wasn't the only one to piss her off during the day. She expected the cold treatment she received from Cynthia, since it was really no secret that Lindsay resented Brian's assistant for being privy to all of his business, both public and personal while Lindsay was always the last to know. She had also expected the cold indifference from Ted when she had spoken to him. It wasn't that she and Ted weren't friends; he was just that Ted was more Melanie's friend than hers. No doubt that his attitude- or lack thereof- was because of Mel. But the phone call that really got under Lindsay's skin was Michael's. He had the nerve to blame her for losing Gus. She really thought that they were on the same side... the side that thought that she should be Mrs. Brian Kinney but it was obvious that Michael had changed his tune. Or maybe he hadn't.

Michael had always carried a torch for Brian- one that would never be returned and Lindsay knew that. If she had ever considered Michael Novotny a threat to her ultimate goal, she would have squashed his ego like a bug in her own passive-aggressive way years ago and none would have been the wiser. Hell, no one except the annoying brunet would have really understood the magnitude of the insult she would have used on the insignificant ‘best friend' of Brian Kinney. And even if he bleated about any infraction done to him as he usually did, no one would have believed that Lindsay could be so vicious as to pick on someone as weak-willed as Michael. As far as Lindsay was concerned, Michael was a crutch that Brian should have discarded the minute he had found her. She was smarter and had access to all of the places that Brian had desired entry. She had been much more of an asset to Brian's goals that the pasta-eating pain in the ass Michael Novotny, with his crude manners and even more obnoxious whining. But she needed him now, if all of her plans were going to work.

 

The problem was that he wouldn't talk to her at all. She had called Michael's cell phone almost immediately after he hung up on her, and had been alternating calls between him and Brian all day. She had even called Ben's cell phone hoping that he would hand the phone to his wayward husband, but Ben told her that Michael was not there and he didn't think he would be for a long time. She noticed that the professor hadn't said that ‘Michael wasn't home,' but left that alone. Whatever was going on in Ben and Michael's marriage wasn't as important to her as them once again joining forces to bring her and Brian together. That was Lindsay's objective and she would not be deterred from it.

Entering the Liberty Diner, Lindsay was taken back to the time when Brian had first brought her there. They had just come from a party where they had gotten stoned after  Regina Tucci dumped her for Lisa Prince- a bitch even more WASPY than Lindsay with the money to prove it. Brian had been understanding and fun; honest and helpful in his drug-induced advice. He'd told her that she had been dumped because she wasn't sure what and who she wanted. Regina had been feeling neglected every time Lindsay had brought Brian or some other boy home to a family function, while Lindsay kept her on a string like a yo-yo- letting her go only to be pulled back in. After only six months Rebecca had gotten tired of Lindsay's shit and had finally taken Lisa up on her offer. Although Lindsay had thought for a long time that Rebecca's defection was about the money, it wasn't. It was that Lisa was brave enough to tell her parents the truth about herself and Rebecca. The killer to Lindsay, was that the filthy-rich Prince family had accepted both Lisa and her lover with open arms and no judgment while her own parents had virtually disowned her when she settled on Melanie. Lindsay was forced out of her reverie by a screeching greeting that both embarrassed her and relieved her by turns.

 

"Lindsay, what are you doing here?" Deb grabbed the tall blonde by the shoulders, pulling her into a crushing hug. "Michael told me you were in town. Everything alright?"

"Hi Deb," Lindsay said gently, trying to smile although she didn't feel like it. She wondered just how much else Michael had told her. "Can I get a coffee, and then maybe we can chat and I'll fill you in on everything."

"Sure honey. I want to know all about your adventures in the Great White North especially with Gus and Jenny. Also how's it going at that art gallery you are working in?" Deb bustled about pouring coffee and collecting tabs at the cash register as she quizzed Lindsay. Deb had already heard an abbreviated version of events from both Carl and Emmett. In fact, she had heard MORE than she bargained for from the tall queen regarding her own son's exploits. She would never understand what it was about Brian Kinney that made Michael act like the world's biggest asshole and Lindsay trade true love to be dicked around by Brian, but she kept those thoughts to herself. Brian still hadn't called her back yet but that was to be expected. She and Carl had reservations for later in the week at the Chartrez Resort and she was looking forward to speaking with Brian.  

 

Lindsay took in Debbie's appearance. It seemed that while married life agreed with her, it hadn't improved her taste in clothes. Lindsay almost laughed aloud as she read the colorful shirt Debbie wore that said: "Your village called, and they want their idiot back. You should go home." The shirt strangely reminded Lindsay of her brief conversation with Ben earlier today. Something was definitely amiss in that quarter. Perhaps after her talk with Debbie she would drop by there to see if Michael had indeed returned home. Gratefully accepting the cup from Debbie, Lindsay sipped the hot brew trying to think of a good place to start. She was happy when Debbie started the conversation off.

 

"So what's really going on in Toronto?: Debbie held up her hand to forestall Lindsay's automatic ‘Everything is Great' ready-made brand of bullshit. "And don't give me that hearts and flowers fuckery either. I spoke to Mel earlier." She hadn't, but she figured that for once lying was the easiest way to get to the truth. She didn't have to wait long either.

"I guess Melanie couldn't wait to tell you that Sam and I were having an affair again, could she? For once, I wish she would let me tell my own fucking business," Lindsay huffed before taking a sip of her coffee to seemingly calm herself. "Melanie is a micro-managing, controlling bitch but I'm pretty sure you already know that."

Debbie swallowed her own sip of coffee before her response. "Lindsay...sweetie... I've known for years that you were Bisexual." Again she held up a stern hand to stay Lindsay from speaking. "If Melanie is a micro-managing, controlling bitch as you say, then why did you go back to her after you fucked a man? Why not just go on and lead your separate lives if that was what you were going to end up doing in the first place?"

"It wasn't like that Debbie. At first, my sleeping with Sam was an honest lapse in judgment. I admired him; he listened to me about what interested me, and encouraged me. For Melanie, all that was important was her career and her this-or-that which made me feel like because I didn't make as much money, I was unimportant in the grand scheme of Melanie's plan. After the custody case regarding Jenny, we tried to do an in-house separation. Things were going okay...well that was until Mel started dating. We had a major argument one night because she had come in during the wee hours of the morning and Gus wouldn't stop asking for her. Well one thing lead to another and then we're back together. When Mel suggested the move to Toronto, I was willing to do anything to keep us  together and for the kids to have happy lives in the process. It wasn't until later that I realized that married to Mel was not where I wanted to be. But I stayed for Gus and JR so that they would have some stability."

"And so would you," Debbie added knowing that Lindsay was as selfish as she'd always been. "I swear each generation gets weaker and wiser in every area except relationships. Let me tell you something, little girl... Just because you had the kids, did NOT give you the right to make yourselves unhappy. What do you think that you both accomplished by staying together for the sake of the children? I'm sure Gus and JR still heard the two of you arguing over something as simple as a pair of fucking pantyhose. I ask you Lindsay, is that the stable environment you were going for? I'm sure that it didn't help that your kids are now old enough to not only understand what you two are fighting about but that one of you is so unhappy that you ended up betraying your vows to each other. What kind of example of self-respect did you set for Gus and JR when you cheated on Melanie with the same asshole that you uprooted Gus and JR from the family to get away from?" Debbie's voice had risen which each question. She was glad that Lindsay was flinching with every single accusation that she threw at the blonde. If Debbie could get away with it, she would knock some fucking sense into Lindsay the way she intended to do to Michael when she finally caught up with his foolish ass.

 

But sadly for her, her near-perfect tirade was cut to an abrupt halt. For the red, flushed look that Lindsay had been displaying moments before, became a horrid shade of purple and blue. Deb didn't have time to hop off the barstool before Lindsay crashed onto the floor, completely unconscious. Slapping the leggy blonde lightly at first and then packing a wallop upside her head, panic set in as Lindsay remained unresponsive.

 

"Holy FUCK!! Call 911!" Debbie yelled as she cradled Lindsay in her arms and began to softly rock her while crooning, "As soon as this episode is over, you and I are going to finish our chat. If you die on me, I'll kill you myself, you selfish bitch. You're so not getting out of this one." Relief flooded Debbie as she heard the ambulance in the distance, rushing to ensure that the blonde would live another day.

 

~LS~

 

Melanie and Jenny stepped off the plane, both relieved and apprehensive in their own rights about what they would find once they arrived in Pittsburgh. For Melanie's part, she was ultimately relieved that she would not have to deal with either Michael nor Lindsay until she was good and fucking ready. Brian via Ted had told her that someone would be there to pick her up from the airport upon arrival. From there she would be taken to the manor house- the one which would cause Lindsay to have a fucking cow if she'd known that Brian had kept it.

At the baggage claim, Melanie and her daughter grabbed their bags. Melanie had opted to travel with her briefcase, once again going over the mountain of evidence she had found detailing Lindsay's machinations and Michael's culpability. She couldn't believe that Lindsay had been planning this since their move to Toronto, biding her time until Melanie was no longer useful. Melanie had decided then and there that although she and Brian didn't get along, she would help him as much as she could. As soon as she saw her former partner, Harry Donaldson, step one in her efforts would be assured.

"Mommy, I think I see our driver," the young dark-haired girl said, tugging Melanie's hand.

She knew that Jenny was really worried about her brother. She was too. Ted had assured her that Gus was fine but there would be nothing like seeing for herself that he was. She still couldn't believe the bullshit the young boy had to put up with simply because he was born from Lindsay's womb. Knowing Gus, he had given both his mother- if one could call her that- and that punkass painter a huge piece of his ten-year old mind. She didn't delude herself into thinking that Gus' WASP training had kicked in before his defection and for once she was glad that he had that plain-speaking Irish bastard Brian Kinney as a father. If Gus should have inherited anything from his father, Melanie hoped it was that!

Sticking as close to her daughter as possible, Mel continued in the direction of the limo waiting for them. This was her least favorite part of travelling- the throngs of people, pushing pillar-to-post in search of their destination instead of watching where they're going or keeping in mind that there are also children with parents in the airport. On more than one occasion during their sojourn, Melanie had needed to cuss out a fellow traveller for nearly trampling her daughter.

Breathing a sigh of relief at having made it through the sea of humanity, her breath caught in her throat, seeing the person Brian had sent for her.

"Nice to see you again, Sugar Lips," the leggy brunette said, eyes sparkling with mischief as always, and an answering smirk on her full lips so reminiscent of another brunet- one that Mel most loved to hate.

"Leda."

 

End Notes:

 

 

 

PART VI: THIN LINES... by Nichelle Wellesly
Author's Notes:

Special THANKS to Lorie who edited the absolute HELL out of these following chapters! Girl where would I be without you? I'm not even trying to find the answer out to THAT question! HUGS!

 

Happy Reading Everybody!!

PART VI- Thin Lines...

Later that evening...

 

Melanie was surprised when they pulled up to Brian's hideaway. She had thought for sure that she and Jenny would be taken to the Executive Suite at the William Penn that Brian always held onto for his clients. But then she figured that Lindsay had probably commandeered the place for her own nefarious purposes. She was half tempted to call the suite and hear the lies fall from Lindsay's lips once more, lies of how Melanie was mistaken, and how she was at fault by turns. She couldn't believe that she had once again trusted Lindsay when past experiences should have given her pause. What was worse was that she had involved Gus in her perfidy. What kind of mother does that to her own child? Only one that is as self-absorbed and egocentric as Lindsay Peterson.

 

As she put Jenny to bed, she thought back over her entire history with Lindsay Peterson; the wasted years and failed promises. Each time they had fallen apart and gotten back together, the circumstances surrounding the breakups had become more and more severe. The last one happened while Lindsay was working at the museum in Toronto. Once again, her ‘wife' had cheated with a man, but said man's wife was also involved with Lindsay. And like the asshole she was, she had once again forgiven Lindsay. Melanie thought back to where the instances of infidelity started and realized that she had been paying penance for an indiscretion that had been over for more than ten years. For some reason, every time Lindsay decided to stray, Melanie had taken it upon herself to play the martyr. It was time to stop.

 

Going down into the living room, she flung herself down onto the couch where Leda was sitting and looking over files. She still couldn't believe the woman was there. For a time, Melanie had thought that she and Leda could have been more than just close friends. There was never a dull moment with the tall brunette. It was nothing for them to ride out to Big Sur for a weekend of adventure- just the two of them, their Harleys and the open road. That was when Mel's life was fun, when she knew exactly who she was and what she wanted. She often wondered what happened to that person.

 

"Give the gerbils in your brain a rest, would ya Mel? You're fucking up my concentration," Leda said, smirk firmly planted on her face.

Mel snickered in response. "When did you start working for Brian?"

Never taking her eyes off the pictures she was editing, Leda answered. "A few years after he started Kinnetik. He and I ran into each other in Vegas at the Venetian Hotel where he was pitching. He asked if I was available for an impromptu photo shoot to go with his presentation. A few hours and a hefty advance later, Brian landed the account and offered me a job. At the time I wasn't quite ready to give up my freelance career so he paid me a retainer fee and told me that when I was ready to go full-time for Kinnetik to give him a call. That time came sooner than either of us expected. Around the same time that Brian had his bout with Testicular Cancer, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer..."

"Oh my God....are you...,"

"In remission now, three years later," Leda reassured Melanie. "Anyway, I hid it from him for a time after I called him about the job. While on assignment, I had taken ill from the effects of the chemo and had to be hospitalized. I had put Brian down as my medical proxy without telling him- something I now know that I shouldn't have done. But long story short, he flew out to the hospital in Maryland, ironically the same place where he had received treatment months before, and ordered them to give me whatever treatment I needed. And that's the story of how I came to work for him and why I will remain loyal to him just the same."

 

Melanie sat stunned for a moment after Leda concluded. She remembered finding out about Brian almost a year after he had gone through treatment. Ted was the one to tell her because at the time she was going strong on the ‘I hate Brian Kinney' train and Ted was pissed off about it. It was the one time that her friend had yelled at her. It turned out that the only ones who knew about the cancer were Cynthia and Ted, because they were required to handle much of the business and make alternate arrangements for Brian to see Gus when he couldn't make the trips to Toronto. Melanie had thought that he was ditching his son in favor of blowjobs and backroom visits and she felt like shit when she found out the truth. Ted made her promise not to tell Lindsay, knowing that the blonde would have moved Heaven and Hell to go there and smother him. She had kept that promise for her own selfish reasons, but to find out that Brian was also taking care of Leda during that time...well that was a gift from the man that she would never be able to repay.

"I can respect that," she said to Leda, who was regarding her quietly. "I am past the point where I blame Brian for my failed marriage. Ted explained to me exactly what has been going on with Lindsay behind my back and I just told him the information that I found out."

"What information?"

Melanie took a deep breath and slowly let it out before responding. "Lindsay has not only been fucking Sam Auerbach behind my back again but she also hired a private investigator using money from Gus' college fund to spy on Brian. I opened the package that came for her earlier today showing her that Brian had not sold this house like he had been telling her and Michael. Sitting here now, I understand why he refused to give up his hideaway."

"They do tend to put him in a box, don't they?"

"Yeah they do. And up until this evening, I was putting him in a box of my own labeled ‘World's Biggest Asshole.' I really regret that."

"Hey Sugar Lips, give yourself a break. You really only had one side to view Brian's actions from- two if you include Michael's obsession. I mean we both know what it was like for him growing up. It couldn't have been easy nor conducive to maintaining his sanity. Michael and Lindsay filled a void for Brian at a time in his life when he needed them the most. It wasn't his fault that they took his friendship to mean more than that."

"But he didn't discourage it either," Mel said matter-of-factly.

"How could he do so without running the risk of losing his safety nets? If you are honest with yourself, you will see that while he didn't discourage their misguided notions, he also never encouraged them either. Something has to be said for that. He's never stood in the way of them developing their own relationships outside of him, but the courtesy definitely won't be returned."

"What do you mean?"

 

Before Leda could answer, Brian walked into his living room with a young blond wrapped underneath his arm. Melanie nearly passed out at the vibe of familiarity and comfort the two of them displayed as they continued to advance in the room. The beautiful- for that was the only word to describe him- blond man looked up into Brian's face laughing at something he said. Their attraction to one another was as palpable as their banter was playful.

 

"Hey guys," Leda broke the spell, startling the pair.

"What exactly are you still doing in my house with your feet up on my sofa and your junk spread around?" Brian asked, scrunching up his nose in disdain.

"Don't act like you aren't happy to see your favorite lesbian Brian. As for my junk being spread out all over the place, I happen to have an extremely demanding boss for whom the words ‘off hours' do not apply. I'm looking over more pictures from the Dance performances this afternoon."

"Really?" the blond asked. "Can I see them?"

Melanie couldn't contain her curiosity any longer so she asked, "Brian, who is he?"

"He's....he's.... Oh fuck it, he's my partner, Mel. Smelly Melly meet Justin Taylor."

"Still having a hard time admitting that aren't you dear," Justin responded in a falsetto voice making Leda gaffaw aloud. "Nice to meet you Mel. I've heard a lot about you."

"I'm sure coming from Brian, some of it was questionable," she answered as she reached her hand out to shake his extended one.

"Come on, Mel. Nothing I said was untrue." Brian rolled his eyes.

"Just what did you tell Justin?"

"That you were a muncher who would be invading my house against my will for an indefinite time."

"Why indefinite?"

"I do believe that your old partner in the firm and his wife will be here in a few hours for breakfast. If you're serious about moving back, I think that he will be willing to take you on. But first we have to deal with this Lindsay bullshit because..."

"Yeah, none of us are apt to have peace until she is taken care of," Mel agreed. "How did you manage to keep this place a secret until the P.I. found out?" That was a question she really needed to have answered.

"That was fairly simple. Once I told Michael that I sold the place, he pretty much backed off of me about it. Lindsay was just fucking heartbroken and it made avoiding her calls a lot easier with her believing that I was always at work. Didn't you notice that I only called Gus when I was fairly certain that you were there to distract her?"

"Yeah I noticed. There were quite a few times I had to stop her from snatching the phone from Gus while you two were in conversation. Speaking of which, where's Gus?"

"He's spending the night at Emmett's. I thought that you would have been passed out asleep by now and figured that there was a good chance that you and I would be saying some fucked up things about his mother after you called me every bad name in the book. Even though Gus is probably making his own foul-mouthed pronouncements about Lindsay's behavior while at Emmett's, he shouldn't hear what I think of the fucking Thunder-Cunt right now."

 

Melanie snickered at Brian. She remembered the first time he had called Lindsay that. It was just after Melanie had discovered the threesome that Lindsay had with the Museum curator and his wife. Brian was up for a visit and had taken Gus and Jenny over to one of the neighbor's houses so that he could come back and referee the violent argument that her and Lindsay were having. He intervened just as Lindsay had hurled another insult at her and involved Brian lauding his supposed ‘neglect' of her need to speak with him before she gave into the advances of Robert and Elena McElvoy.

"Lindsay I don't give a fuck where you put your pussy as long as it doesn't affect the kids. You can fuck the entire US Army or become a Thunder-Cunt to Zeus, riding his fucking lightening bolts and humping Herra until your snatch falls out. All I care about is the kids' safety and that you don't do that shit where they can see you, hear you, smell you or walk in on you. You're a neglectful bitch and instead of owning up to your shit, you're standing here blaming me? Well fuck you!" And with that last statement, Brian had left, collected the kids and went to his hotel for the night.

 

"On that note, I guess we should all be getting to bed," Melanie said.

"Yeah I guess we should," Leda agreed. "By the way, how was the Chartrez opening?"

"That was an event in and of itself," Justin said. "My sperm donor and his bitch showed up. Let me tell you, Lindsay has some company in the ‘fuck everything with a dick' department." He winced when he realized what he'd just said in front of the scorned wife.

Melanie noticed and laughed. "Oh don't worry about it, Justin. I know Lindsay's a whore; she has been for awhile now. I was just too blind to see it."

Brian interjected then. "You wanna make my dick soft, show me your tits. Otherwise stop with the fucking self-pity. None of this shit is your fault. It's Lindsay's for not being able to make a decision and stick to it. Either she wants pussy or she wants cock. I told her once before that she couldn't have both at the same time."

"Apparently she can and did," Leda retorted.

Brian snickered. "That's not what I meant and we all know it. Instead of going back to Melanie and trying to weave her safety net back together, she should have just remained a single parent and allowed Melanie to get on with her life. The bottom line is she should have been honest and let you make an informed decision Melanie. She doesn't get to have both a man and woman without talking to her PARTNER first. This is why I don't believe in relationships." Justin cleared his throat. "Or at least I didn't until the little blond twat over there."

"Nice save Stud," Justin murmured. "What he means is that we prefer to keep our options open for now. We're no less committed than some other monogamous couple but we like to fuck and we do, often. If I'm not around, he's free to stick his dick in a light socket for all I care as long as he's using a rubber while doing it; same goes for me. Tricks are inconsequential to our end game. This is why Brian and I will never have an argument about who's fucking whom." Justin concluded the last as if he and Brian had actually discussed that particular scenario. It just felt like something they would have talked about and agreed upon. Well at least he hoped so. Brian interrupted his thoughts causing him to chuckle.

"And speaking of fucking..."

"Really Brian?" Melanie laughed. "You will probably never change."

"I hope I don't, even if I am with him over there. As long as we agree on the terms of our whatever-the-fuck this is, who gives a shit what anyone else thinks, feels or believes. The problem with Lindsay is that you both have different expectations. You expected her to be faithful; she expected you to be forgiving, yet again. Guess you both got your rude awakenings and now it's time for some decisions on your part Mel."

"Yes it is and the first one will be what to do about fucking Michael, who keeps calling me and threatening to take Jenny if I don't stay my ass in Toronto where I belong," she added the nasal whine to the last part of the sentence to mimic Michael's voice.

"Let him," Justin said.

"What?" All three occupants of the living room said in unison.

Justin didn't back off of his statement. "I said let him try. He would have a whole lot more to prove than you will Mel, especially if you're moving back and are establishing a job with Harry. Compared to what I have seen of Michael's behavior, you'll look like a paragon of virtue regardless that you cuss worse than a sailor."

She chuckled at Justin. He didn't look like Brian's type but she was learning that Justin didn't speak foolishly. Perhaps there was some truth to this whole ‘Brian's boyfriend' thing after all. "Well it looks like I have some things to really think about. Brian, I put Jenny and I in the furthest wing from the master bedroom."

"Good thing so that you won't be traumatized by what you'll hear in a very few minutes." He laughed while Melanie mock-shivered.

"I'll take that under advisement," she answered sardonically.

"Leda, if you are staying, try not to make her scream too loudly. There is an impressionable youth under this roof."

"Two," Leda responded grinning. "Though I doubt that there isn't much Justin hasn't seen or heard if he's involved with you."

 

~LS~

 

The four of them parted ways until morning. Justin decided that the wisest course of action was to share Brian's room with him as long as Melanie and Jenny were staying with Brian. It would only lend credence to their faux-relationship. Watching Brian strip down though, he couldn't say that he was sorry. The man was just fucking beautiful, with or without his clothing. Justin's hands were itching to put the image down on paper and searched in his duffle bag to do so.

 

"Are you going to get undressed?" Brian asked, coming up behind Justin. He placed his hands on the younger man's hips, pulling him back into him.

 

Justin stood up straight and instinctively leaned back into Brian's length pressing into him. His slacks became even more confining as his body reacted to the heat of Brian's. His heart rate sped up, not only from the exertion to stand but from Brian's nearness to him. They had toyed around with each other all day, tasting and teasing one another with kisses and subtle caresses but was he ready to let Brian into him? He thought back to Ava's words when they were in the office at the resort. Justin couldn't deny that everything within him clamored to have Brian in that way, but it was a trust issue. Brian had proven that he could handle any outside force coming against Justin, but letting someone into his body was a different kind of trust altogether,

 

"What's the matter Justin?" Brian whispered in his ear, making him shiver.

"I want to but..."

"You're not a virgin Justin. Don't even tell me that," Brian chuckled but when he turned Justin towards him. The blond brow was creased with worry and Brian wasn't sure why. "What is it?"

Justin sighed aloud. "I've never... I top."

"I know that since we talked a little about it earlier. But I know that you want me inside you too."

"Yeah, I do."

"Then what are you scared of?" Brian looked into the blue eyes regarding him, trying to gauge the core of Justin's issues.

 

He knew that they wanted each other. It was evident in everything they did or spoke to one another since they had first met. Admittedly, Brian knew what Justin was feeling because he felt the same type of trepidation when dealing with the younger man. Justin had the same type of trust issues that Brian himself had to overcome, but this was so much more than that, and Justin had to voice it. It was funny but the younger man made Brian actually want to talk, whereas with anyone else, this whole scenario would have been an immediate turn off. He didn't get the names of tricks or their phone numbers; didn't give a shit about where they lived, what they've been through or what they do. It was fucking, plain and simple. But it was not the same with Justin.

 

"I'm not scared per se, it's just so... so..." Justin struggled to find the right word to describe what he was feeling right then.

"I get it Justin, I really do. So I'll make you a promise that I won't look at you differently after we're done. You'll still be the same strong, intelligent and incorrigible man I've known less than twenty-four hours, no matter that it feels as though we've known each other a lot longer. I won't hurt you."

"I'm not worried about you as much as I'm scared of myself Brian."

"Why?"

"There's some sort of pull between us and I would rather not chance not even having a friendship with you for ninety-seconds of gratification."

Brian rolled his eyes playfully. "Ninety seconds, is all it takes you to get off? Wow you're going to be easier than I thought."

Justin laughed, turning around and poking Brian in the ribs. "You ass."

"Well my little attempt to break the ice worked. So stop being frigid and trust me. Trust yourself. Let me have you." Before Justin had a chance to respond to that last comment, Brian swooped in and captured Justin's plump lips.

 

Justin savored the smooth glide of Brian's lips over his own, opening fully to allow Brian entrance. He nearly lost all coherent thought at the feel of  Brian's tongue against his own. Let me have you, replayed through his mind as Brian continued to devour his mouth. As Justin was letting himself fully enjoy the contact, Brian broke it long enough to strip Justin's half unbuttoned shirt over his head and brought their lips back together in a matter of seconds. Justin gave himself up readily to the sensations coursing through his body. Brian's lips and hands seemed to be everywhere but nowhere near where Justin needed them to be. With every slip and slide of Brian's tongue, Justin felt the action in his cock which continued to twitch as Brian mouth caressed his throat. Justin gasped as the brunet sucked gently and then nipped his Adam's apple, his mouth descending until he reached Justin's sternum. Before he could get too comfortable, Justin found his lips taken again just as he inhaled a much needed breath.

He felt himself being led towards the large king-sized bed in the center of the room and was powerless to stop the momentum by which he was being propelled. It was as if every ounce of willpower and strength to resist- to move slower- was being zapped with every swipe of the tongue assaulting his senses. Justin tumbled backward onto the bed, sprawled out. Immediately Brian attacked the fastenings of his slacks and roughly slid them off Justin's body.Then he pressed his own body over the blond again. Justin held Brian close as they resumed their kiss, both breathless, both fighting for dominance in their own right.

Brian rubbed his pelvis against the hardening cock of the man under him. He couldn't get enough of Justin's lips. They were sweet and soft; totally addictive in the way the pressed or opened against his own. Brian detached his lips from Justin's, allowing his to traverse the lightly glistening skin over to the sensitive spot behind Justin's ear that he had discovered earlier. He wanted Justin mindless for him. Flicking his tongue against the area, Brian relished the gasp he elicited from the writhing blond. He flicked again and smiled against the spot, hearing the soft moan which followed. Keeping his tongue pressed and teasing there, Brian's hands began to roam the alabaster skin pressed so tightly against his own. He fingers caressed the smooth skin until he reached the slightly protruding dusky pink nipples. With every pass of his fingers Justin's groans and gasps intensified even as his body bowed involuntarily, seeking more of the action. Feeling and hearing Justin's reaction, Brian replaced his questing fingers with his mouth. Justin's breath hitched as his hands reached up to grasp Brian's hair. Brian wet both nipples equally before settling on one. The long fingers of his free hand, played with the other.

Justin was in ecstasy and close to cumming. Every single lick and flick of Brian's tongue was felt in the throbbing bulbous head of his weeping cock. Justin could feel the warm wetness of precum trapped between his skin and his underwear. Brian chuckled against his nipples, sending the vibration deep into him, causing his whole body to quake inside out. He felt Brian shift against his pelvis as if encouraging the copious juices to further tease him.

Brian bit the fleshy portion of his abs, eliciting a sharp gasp from the restless blond. Justin's sighs and groans were driving him crazy. Brian couldn't deny that everything about the blond was a major aphrodisiac. Everything from Justin's voice to his scent was like a siren's call to the brunet and all he wanted in that moment was MORE. With that thought in mind, Brian climbed off of Justin. Not giving the blond a chance to protest, Brian issued his two-word command, "Roll over," while gripping Justin's ankle in his impatience to facilitate the action quickly.

Brian stood at the side of the bed, admiring the back view of the Justin's body draped over his blood red bedding. The fair skin flushed under his scrutiny as if it could sense his regard like a physical caress. The muscles in Justin's back were particularly enticing, rippling in anticipation, calling for Brian. Beginning at the back of Justin's spread legs, Brian kissed his way up, stopping here and there to place little bites and nips. He wanted to hear Justin's pleasure as he watched the young man writhe his pelvis into the slick material beneath them. He knew that Justin was leaking all over the silk sheets but he didn't fucking care as that plump ass kept up a steady stream of wiggling. Brian reached up squeezing one of the cheeks hard enough to leave imprints of his fingertips which seemed to inflame Justin even more. Brian couldn't hold back his urge any longer. The compulsion to taste Justin was just much too strong; stronger than any other he had ever felt.   

Gripping the writhing hips, Brian snatched Justin's hips up, repositioning the young man on his knees. He kissed the small of Justin's back, draping himself over that enticing ass. Brian felt Justin press his rounded derriere against the brunet's firm chest, seeking more of Brian's lips and tongue. Allowing the appendage to linger momentarily, Brian began the slow, meticulous slide down the ravine separating the globes. Justin hiccuped his pleasure causing Brian to smile before beginning his ascension back up to the base of Justin's spine.

"Like that?" Brian asked the rhetorical question before descending again, absorbing all of the gasp and full-bodied groans Justin voiced every time he passed the young man's hole. He wrapped his arms around Justin's waist holding him in place as he stopped midway to lick vigorously at the winking little orifice. Running his tongue around the outer ring, Brian breathed deeply inhaling Justin's scent. Clean. Fresh. Virgin were the thoughts running through his mind as he continued to taste and tease that enticing part of Justin where no man's cock had ever entered. Pushing his tongue in by increments, Brian knew he was pushing Justin closer and closer to the point of no return. Adding his own natural lubricant, Brian pushed some into Justin, even as he grabbed the younger man's cock underneath.

"Brian...please..." Justin began to beg.

Brian chuckled. "Soon," he answered as he pressed a long finger in that ultra-sensitive spot beneath Justin's balls.

"I can't hold on much longer," Justin warned, breathless from the sensations Brian's mouth kept flooding him with.

"Sshhh... Yes you can. Just a bit more and I promise you won't regret it," Brian reassured him.

Grabbing the lube and flipping the top open hurriedly, Brian lubed his fingers. Replacing his tongue with a single digit, Brian rimmed the outer rim before coaxing the rosebud open. He slid in and unerringly found Justin's sweet spot.

"Oh my God. Brian..."

"That's it, Sunshine, open for me," Brian crooned, moving the single finger in and out. Brian continued to stroke the walnut-shaped gland from the outside of Justin's body as well as the inside. When he added a second finger, Brian instructed Justin to take a deep breath and then exhale as he pushed added the digit to the first. Brian took great pains to make sure that Justin was being prepared well even though his own dick was hungry for more. After a few minutes, Brian moved onto the scissoring stage, listening closely for any signs of distress but all he heard was Justin's pleasurable murmurs. If anyone had asked Brian why he was so hell-bent on making Justin's first time so memorable and pleasant, he couldn't give a direct answer except  only that he was. Justin began begging for more again, the pleas becoming more and more insistent for Brian to stop teasing him. Brian added his third and final finger while once again soothing Justin with soft words and praise. Not long into the experience both Brian and Justin were even more aroused and the tenor of conversation changed from the erotic endearments to downright dirty.

 

"You ready for me to fuck you Justin?"

"Yessss... fuck..."

"How bad do you want it?"

 

Instead of answering, Justin twisted his body as much as he was able, to catch and capture Brian's lips, letting his moans and tongue action speak for him. Brian reciprocated in kind as the kiss became not only passionate but wild. Brian could feel the reins of his control slipping as his fingers continued fucking the blond's ass and Justin kept tongue-fucking his mouth. Dislodging his fingers out of the welcoming warmth, Brian palmed the condom. He pushed Justin onto his back while opening the gold packet with his teeth, his eyes never leaving Justin as he did it. Brian's eyes widened as he looked at the innocent-looking blond with the thoroughly wanton look in his blue eyes. Opening both his arms and legs, Justin laid there, inviting Brian without words to fill him. Brian didn't need to be told twice where Justin wanted him.

 

Placing the deceptively long legs upon his shoulders, Brian shifted Justin into position. He stared into Justin's eyes, again looking for something that spoke of fear and trepidation but received nothing but assurance and longing in return. Brian acknowledged to himself that the look Justin was bestowing on him in that moment would have sent the brunet screaming in the opposite direction had it come from anyone else. Not for the first time all night, did Brian admit just how different things were with the young blond. Brian leaned forward, placing a single kiss on Justin's lips which was returned without any hint of hesitation. Justin's mouth was fast becoming his addiction, but he didn't mind. In fact he craved it. Rolling the condom down his shaft, Brian added more lube to it as he continued to kiss Justin. Inserting two of his fingers past the rings of muscle, Brian checked Justin again to make sure that he was prepped enough. At Justin's insistent moan, he began his descent into the abyss of Justin's ass.

 

Brian couldn't help but close his eyes in ecstasy at the feel of the tight channel allowing him entry. As Justin adjusted to the intrusion of Brian's thickness, the inner walls hugged him as if welcoming him home from a long journey. For Justin's part, after the initial wince of discomfort, instead of running away from the pain, he moved with Brian, absorbing whatever sting or resistance his body tried to give in favor of having the man above him fully encased at long last. Both Brian and Justin breathed a small sigh of relief as Brian laid perfectly still once he reached the bottom, feeling the head of his cock tapping softly against that hidden jewel within Justin. Brian could feel Justin's heat through the condom as if he wasn't wearing one- another thing Brian was absolutely amazed about. He knew for a fact that the rubber was still intact, yet the place where his cock was happily residing felt close to an inferno. Part of Brian didn't want to move, didn't want to pull out of the warm place that engulfed his dick entirely. But at Justin's hard smack to his ass with an accompanying whimper, Brian knew that he had to relieve the man beneath him as well as himself.

"Brian...fucking fuck me already," Justin demanded.

Brian laughed. "Ahh... the inexperienced bottom is also a bossy one."

"Fuck you," Justin laughed, which ended as a moan as Brian pulled out a bit only to ram back in.

"Nah Sunshine. Fuck you." And Brian proceeded to do just that.

Justin was amazed at the sensations coursing through him. At first, it was pain- pure unadulterated pain. But then as Brian laid still within him, the head of his long and thick dick caressing the sweet spot within him, Justin couldn't help but relax and feel the pleasure blossoming within him. His last coherent thought before his body became demanding and Brian's body got demanding was that he was glad it was Brian.

Brian changed the angle within Justin, causing the young man to nearly scream. Instead of just tapping against the prostate, Brian was also stroking it. Adding a snap to his hips at the end of every downstroke sent a jolt through Justin. He felt like electricity was sizzling from Brian into him as the older man hammered into him. Justin wrapped his arms around Brian's neck allowing him to also bring his knees up more towards his ears.

"Ah fuck!" Brian exclaimed as the inside of Justin became even tighter.

"That's what you are supposed to be doing Mr. Kinney," Justin taunted. He didn't know where this boldness came from but he couldn't resist challenging Brian in that moment. He wanted more. Contracting his abs every time Brian pumped into him, Justin latched onto Brian's lips, swallowing the moans emitting from the man laboring above him. Justin didn't want it to stop but he could feel himself getting closer and closer to passion's peak and there was no way to stop the ascension.

Brian felt the change in Justin's body the moment it happened; heard that little hitch of breath that spoke of surprise and need. Brian pushed into Justin faster, knowing that his own culmination was near as well. Justin began chanting Brian's name, demanding more. Brian could feel Justin's cock swell even more as it rubbed against the small space between their abdomens. Without the benefit of warning to either man, Brian felt the warm wet stickiness emit from Justin while the younger man gasped his orgasm. Brian refused to stop fucking him as Justin's ass clamped down and milked him as Justin kept cresting. As Brian thought that he would never be able to stop the involuntary movements of his pelvis ramming into the tightest ass he'd ever fucked, he came hard, losing his rhythm within the insensate form beneath him. Trembling in the aftermath and surprised by the sheer force of his orgasm, Brian rode wave after wave, clinging to Justin as if he was his only lifeline.

Lying in the glow of post-coital bliss, Justin inhaled the brunet's scent before speaking. "Thank you Brian. For everything."

Brian looked into the shining blue eyes, vulnerable with his own confusion and emotion of the moment. He sighed in satisfaction, "Anytime Sunshine," he murmured before placing his head in the crook of Justin's neck and drifting off into a peaceful slumber.    

PART VII... BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE by Nichelle Wellesly
Author's Notes:

Happy Reading Y'all!!!

~Nichelle

PART VII... Between Love and Hate

 

Lindsay blinked her eyes open and quickly shut them again. The light filtering into the room from the open drapes was blinding, only worsening the splitting headache that was pounding inside of her head. The beep of a machine much too close for her liking kept going off reminding her of how loud a fire alarm would sound within such a closed space. But perhaps that was just her imagination, which was already working overtime.

How did I end up in a fucking hospital? Why does my abdomen feel like a moving train smashed into it? What the hell is wrong with me?

All of these questions filtered through her mind as she tried to rein in the panic that was quickly setting in. She popped her eyes open again, trying to tether herself to the reality of her situation. Hearing a throat clearing to the left of her, Lindsay turned her head only to groan at the person sitting in the chair.

 

"Good morning to you too Lindsay," Deb said. "I guess congratulations are in order."

"Hi Deb," she answered with a tight smile. "I'm sorry that I have put you in this position. Can you please get the nurse for me on your way out?"

Debbie smirked in response to Lindsay's hint that she leave. "No dear. I'm not leaving just yet.  Not until you hear what I have to say."

"Deb please..."

"No Lindsay, you will lay there and listen. Besides it's not like you are going anywhere anytime soon anyway."

"What the hell are you yammering about?" Lindsay exploded, all pretense of patience gone. She was further annoyed when Debbie chuckled.

"As I said, congratulations are in order. It turns out that you are pregnant. And since I know that Melanie didn't grow a fucking dick, it looks like you have some explaining to do. And I'm not leaving until I hear it."

 

Shock and anger registered on Lindsay's face as she absorbed what it was that Deb had said. I'm pregnant? Pregnant? How the hell can I be pregnant? Okay Lindsay, think. THINK! What can I tell Deb that will get her off my back and onto my side instead? No one can ever find out this baby is Sam's.

Turning on the waterworks, Lindsay spilled to Debbie how she wanted another baby but Melanie said no. So she used a leftover sample of Brian's sperm and had it implanted.

 

"What the fuck did you do that for?" Debbie exploded at the young blond woman in the bed. She couldn't believe that Lindsay would be so willful and stupid as to get knocked up... again... by Brian Kinney. "Does Brian know?"

"No Deb and you can't tell him."

"Why the fuck not?"

Lindsay squeezed new tears out of her eyes at the question. She was glad that she had learned early in life to cry-on-demand. It had gotten her her way many times. "I...I was going to tell him but then this stuff with Melanie started happening and everything just went to hell from there."

"Is that why you have been keeping company with Sam Auerbach?" At Lindsay's instantaneous cessation of tears Debbie knew that she was possibly onto something. "You didn't think I knew about that did you?" Debbie smirked, reminiscent of Brian.

"My association with Sam is none of your business." Lindsay adopted that haughty tone that always grated on Debbie's nerves.

"I beg to differ. You see, I am the one who brought you in here. I told them that I was your mother, which, if I really was, I doubt the bitch would be sitting here waiting for you to wake up. I have two grandchildren at stake in this bullshit, so yes, it is MY business."

"Deb, I want you to leave."

"I will for now, but don't think you can keep me out Lindsay. Or I tell Brian everything." Deb got up from her place by the window and walked to the door. "By the way, I hope that you get out and find a job soon. Melanie cancelled your health insurance the day she kicked you out. Perhaps your cock-on-the-side will help you out."

Lindsay looked back at the older woman, squaring her shoulders at the information. "Brian will take care of me."

"Uh-huh," was all Debbie said as she left the hospital room.

Lindsay quickly grabbed up her cell phone, dialing the number she had memorized over the years. "Yes, this is Lindsay Peterson. I want to speak with Brian please."

"I'm sorry Lindsay, but Brian is on an important call with Justin and has requested that he not be disturbed for anyone except Gus or Debbie. May I take a message?" Cynthia answered the woman condescendingly.

"Just fucking have him call me back," she yelled into the receiver before slamming the phone off and letting out a scream.

 

The nurse rushed into the room and asked if Lindsay was in pain. When she replied a little and that the fucking beeping was getting on her nerves, the nurse advised her that she would be back to change the IV bag soon, and that Lindsay needed to keep it down or she would be tossed out far sooner than the doctor ordered her to be released. When the nurse asked if she needed anything else, Lindsay threw herself back on the pillows, ignoring the woman who continued to stare at her. When the nurse left, Lindsay whispered one name into the air.

"Brian..."

 

-~LS~

 

Harry, Ava and Ted had arrived just in time as Emmett had with breakfast and Gus. Gus was sent to find Jenny. She was the first person he asked for and he wanted to tell her what was happening from his perspective. When Brian had questioned Em about why he didn't leave Gus with Deb, Emmett filled them in on what he knew.

 

"I arrived at the diner this morning to do just that Brian, but was told that Deb wasn't in. I thought that strange because Debbie actually staying out of the diner on her day off is like one of us trying to turn straight." At Brian's near-retort, Emmett held up his hand to forestall it. "That was a lost-my-mind-due-to-medical-scare-induced-assholery Brian and not to be mentioned in polite company, fuck you very much."

Melanie had to laugh since she remembered that time well. "Emmett tried to turn straight after having an HIV scare when he had ignored a phone call from the lab earlier in the day. Had he just bothered to pick up his phone, he would have known that he was negative and that the bank had rejected his check. He spent the whole weekend promising God that he would be straight if he would just make it so he wasn't sick."

Justin laughed. "That's sick. Everyone knows that sexuality is pretty much determined by the age of six and is unalterable."

"Apparently Honeycutt here missed that memo and so did that good old brainwashing bordello called ‘See The Light.' I had never seen Emmett looking so...what's the word I'm looking for Ted?"

"Boring," Ted supplied.

"Yeah that's it. It looked like he went shopping in your closet," Brian quipped.

"Fuck you, fuck you and fuck you too, Melanie," Ted said. "Can we please get on to business before Brian starts waxing poetic about his own wardrobe. The cost of his Armani collection is enough to feed a small country for the next three years. I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on more worthwhile pursuits."

"Yes, well remember charity begins at home, Theodore and your extensive porn collection doesn't count."

 

Everyone had a good laugh at that including Ted, who had long since become comfortable with Brian's brand of teasing him. He was glad that he had gotten to really know Brian Kinney outside of what other people thought of the enigmatic brunet. It had taken awhile to understand Kinneyspeak but he had learned to appreciate the way Brian drove everyone he now considered his inner-circle to push themselves to be the best and to do what made them happy. He cleared his throat before speaking, getting choked up about finally feeling accepted without having to sacrifice or hide behind his principles. It was a pretty fucking amazing feeling.

 

"So Ava and I went over the numbers last night. Between the receipts you and Melanie provided Brian, Lindsay has been planning to do this sort of thing since she conceived Gus."

"What do you mean? What sort of thing is she doing?" Justin asked.

"She's been planning to leave me for Brian and I played into her plans time and time again," Melanie said, her inner ache evident in her voice.

Brian nodded. He knew that he had been played equally as bad. "One thing has always bothered me, Mel. That million dollar life insurance policy..."

"Her idea," Mel confirmed. "I only agreed because I was pissed at you for interrupting the bris and embarrassing me in front of my Rabbi and relatives. I realize now that there were a lot of instances where she played you and I against each other. And I can't even blame it all on her. We were a pair of fucking assholes for letting her, but Lindsay has that ‘earth mother' routine down to a science."

"Yeah she does, but where does that leave us?"

Before anyone had a chance to answer, Emmett's phone rang. "It's Debbie. I have to take this." He proceeded to get up from the table but was stayed by Melanie's hand.

"You might as well take it here. Put her on speaker."

He nodded and pressed the green ‘talk' button but hadn't said a word before the boisterous voice began shrieking into the receiver. "Since that asshole Brian isn't answering his phone and neither is Ted, Emmett you're my last hope."

"Debbie what's wrong? And why aren't you at the diner? I was there this morning to drop Gus off with you before my meeting, but KiKi said that you left with Lindsay last night by ambulance. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Sweetie...well physically I am. Emotionally I'm a fucking wreck."

"Deb, get your shit together and say what is so important that you have been acting like I own stock in AT&T," Brian said, clearly losing patience with Debbie's hysterics.

"Oh Brian! Brian! First don't you talk to me like that asshole. It has been a very eventful two days; I'm allowed to be overwrought. Now as for what the fuck is going on...Lindsay's PREGNANT! Why the fuck didn't you tell us that she was getting inseminated again?"

 

The entire table sat stock still at Deb's shrill announcement. Lindsay's pregnant? The silence was too deafening, so Justin decided to speak to the woman still rambling off information over the phone as if anyone on the other end was able to process anything else.

 

"Hi Debbie, it's Sunshine. What's all of this about Lindsay being pregnant?"

"Sunshine? Sunshine? SUNSHINE? What are you doing there with Brian and Emmett? I thought you had shows all this week and couldn't make it for dinner. Don't tell me that you and Brian are fucking?"

Justin blushed at her outburst. "Yeah we are. We are together and have been for awhile. But I'll get to that in a bit. Now you said that Lindsay is pregnant? How far along is she?"

"I don't know. The doctors have to do an ultrasound but if I had to take a guess I would say at least two months."

Justin wrinkled his brow at that bit of information. Another thought entered his head and he just had to ask, "Mel when was the last time you and Lindsay were down here for a visit?"

"About six months ago why?"

"Because it sounds like Lindsay is trying to pass her lover's get off as Brian's. The problem is we don't know when she was supposedly ‘inseminated.' Did she have a doctor's appointment or anything while she was here?"

"No she was sulking because Brian was out of town on business and she couldn't find out where he went from Cynthia. She came back to the hotel room pissed off and so miserable that she didn't get out of bed for the remainder of our visit. Or at least that's what I thought."

"Brian, do you know where Lindsay may have gotten ahold of your sperm from?"

Ted laughed. "For all we know she could have scraped it off the floor or walls of the Backroom of Babylon. Lord knows you've cum enough times in there to supply every female student and faculty member of CMU with a Kinney kid."

"Fuck you Ted," Brian couldn't help but chuckle at the accountant's assessment of his prowess. "But seriously, at that time she and Michael still had full access to my loft. In fact that was the weekend I was in Chicago with Leo discussing the latest Brown campaign."

"Wait the weekend Michael..." Justin began but drifted off.

Brian, Ted and Emmett looked at each other before Emmett voiced the question on the four men's minds. "You don't suppose he used a condom do you?"

"I don't know. All I know is that MY sheets were full of his jizz and they had to go with him," Brian said, the involuntary shiver wracking his shoulders.

"What if he had someone over during that time?" Justin asked.

"Michael's a total bottom boy, even nellier than Emmett. I don't think he's ever used his dick for anything other than jerking off or pissing a day in his life."

Ava, Mel and Leda winced before the tall brunette spoke up, "Gentlemen please. I would rather not throw up my breakfast. Keep talking about Michael being naked in any form or fashion and I definitely will. YUCK!"

"I second that," Melanie concurred as did Ava.

"In any event, that means that we all don't know for sure who Lindsay's get belongs to," Justin said, bringing the conversation back into focus.

"No we don't, although she is hell-bent on saying that it is Brian's," Debbie answered. "And let's not forget that hairy-assed, hare-brained artist."

"Oh my God, what's with you people and body descriptions this morning?" Melanie shrieked. "I definitely don't want to be tormented with thoughts or visuals of Sam Auerbach driving into anything or anybody, especially Lindsay! I already tried to find a bottle of both brain and eye bleach online the first time I saw it and was unsuccessful. Somebody really needs to invent that shit." It was her turn to involuntarily shiver.

Justin laughed. "Brian, seriously you need some new friends. Both are deranged, both are delusional, and both are desperate. How the fuck did you attract these nitwits?"

"Hey one of those ‘nitwits' you're talking about is my son Sunshine. Now I may call him such, but I won't let anybody else do it," Debbie reprimanded.

"Sorry Deb," Justin said, false innocence dripping from his voice, surprising everyone at the table. "How about I pick another language to call him names in so that you don't know and can't be offended? I speak five of them you know."

Brian popped him on the back of the neck, murmuring "Smartass," but laughing while doing it. The more he learned about Justin Taylor, the more he liked him. "So Debbie now we all have a mystery to solve. I have to check with my housekeeper and the lab where Lindsay was first inseminated with Gus. They might be able to narrow down the timelines so that we'll know for sure if the baby is mine or not."

"I may be able to help with that Brian," Melanie offered. "Harry, I'm thinking about moving back from Toronto. In fact, I'm definitely moving back and I have some paperwork to file to get my affairs regarding Jenny in order. Brian I would suggest you do the same."

"No worries at all Smelly Melly. I'm way ahead of you. Lindsay just fucked up big time. Debbie we're going to hang up with you so that when asked if you knew about any of this, you can honestly say that you didn't."

"But Brian..." Debbie's voice screeched at the thought of being left out of all the planning.

"Bye bye now," Brian said and disconnected the phone before she could protest further. "Now I think we all know what we need to do. First things first though, Harry will Mel be working with you again?"

The older man put his coffee cup down on the table. "Yes she will. Justin if you don't mind, I'd like to involve her in the situation with Gary Saperstein."

"Why what's wrong?" Justin asked. Honestly, he hadn't thought about Gary since making the decision to take Brian up on his offer.

"He's determined to sue you for breach of contract."

"What? There are only five days left to my current contract and I'm not renewing. So what the fuck is he talking about?"

Ava touched Harry's hand in support. She knew how much her husband hated telling Justin this. So she decided to take it upon herself to deliver the bad news. "It appears that when he renegotiated Brandon's contract, you were included in that. Brandon is refusing to work with anyone else except you. Therefore if you leave, per Brandon's contract, you pay for both your termination and his."

"That's fucking insane. Why would they agree to that bullshit?"

"Apparently, neither one thought that you would actually leave. You are aware that Brandon wants more from you right?"

"Fucking hell, who doesn't? But why this?"

"Both Brandon and Gary don't know how well off you are. Other than that, Brandon figured that he would wear you down over time. As for Gary, he thought that since he basically rescued you, you have nothing- no place to go, no family, no connections and no dreams outside of serving as HIS dancer for the rest of your life. In a sense he thought that you were trapped."

"So how much to get me away from these assholes?"

"Ten million," Ava whispered, as those around the table gasped in response.

Justin looked at them all before getting up from the table. "Write the fucking check and tell them to shove it up their collective asses. Have Greg officially put my loft on the market and tell the buyer that he can have it at market value."

"But Justin, I'm the buyer," Brian said.

"I know that Brian. Just give me a few days and you can take possession of it."

"I can't let you..."

"Fuck that Brian. Harry and Ava, please remember that you work for me. Get it done." And with those last words, Justin left the room heading towards the lake at the far end of the property.

Regardless of how the week turned out, Justin would be starting from square one. In order to be free of Gary Sapperstein, he would have given everything he owned including giving up his dreams of college. And with his demand to liquidate his assets, he just did.

 

End Notes:

MORE SOON!!!

PART VIII: ~YEARNING TO BE FREE by Nichelle Wellesly
Author's Notes:

One of the shorter chapters but no less important.

 

~Part VIII: YEARNING TO BE FREE

They all sat silently, watching the young man by the lake. Logically, they all knew Gary had no case. Contract law would never allow for Justin not to know that he was involved in an agreement to that degree without his knowledge. But they all knew that this situation with men who thought they owned in him in one way or another could make trouble for him. They all wanted to help...but how?

 

Harry sighed. "Well I guess I'd better go talk to him."

Ava chuckled at the despondency she heard in her husband's voice. "Do you want me to handle it? We both know how he gets when he's like this."

"What do you mean?" Emmett asked. His heart was breaking for the young man he had taken to calling ‘Baby.' Justin deserved every good thing life offered. From what he had gathered, Justin had it just as bad as he did back in Hazelhurst since his mom died years ago. "I think if we just give him time, he'll come in and be ready to talk."

"No he won't," Harry disagreed. "Justin is probably one of the most stubborn, driven men any of you will ever meet. Those qualities have served him well over the years and made him a very wealthy man. Conversely, those are also two of his worst qualities. When Justin takes an idea into his head, it would take a miracle or a sledgehammer to get it out. The word willful isn't powerful enough to describe him in these moments. It makes me want to hug him and punch the shit of him by turns."

Ted laughed. "I know that feeling well; Emmett, Melanie and Leda do too," he said, looking in Brian's direction.

"Whoa Kinney, you would pick the perfect blond with the PERFECT personality flaw which matches your own," Leda teased.

"It's not a personality flaw. Justin and I ARE perfect. You all just can't understand us," Brian answered in a matter-of-fact tone, that caused them all to laugh.

"Wow, narcissistic much, Brian?" Melanie mock-sneered.

"No Smelly Melly. I'm just right," Brian smirked.

"Well good, Mr. Right. That means you should go and talk to him," Ava said, smiling at Brian's sudden discomfiture.

"I mean, I'm sure that since everyone here agrees that you and Justin share the same tendencies, we also agree that you should be the one to have to convince him to come in here and see reason. We're not going to let Gary and Brandon get away with their bullshit. We are also not going to let Justin sacrifice everything he has worked so hard to maintain while he has been away. But we can't convince him of any of that until you get his ass back in here," Harry reasoned. "Besides, it might teach you to not be so rigid in your own belligerence when your friends and colleagues are trying to help you."

"A punishment well-deserved if you ask me," Ted said. When Brian glared at him, he stammered further, "I...I mean that in the most loving way possible as both your friend AND colleague, Bri."

"Ted you should quit while you're ahead," Emmett warned, even seeing the raised eyebrow and slight smirk dancing across Brian's lips.

"Zipping...zipping..." Ted happily took Emmett's advice knowing that Brian was going to find some way to retaliate, and it would be worse, the longer he spoke.

"Fine you bunch of chicken shits, I'll go talk to him." Brian rose from the table, forming an idea of how to bring Justin around.

"Good luck with that. But then again, he didn't take his coat. Yes it's a warm day for February, but it's still fucking February," Ava said, as she moved into the kitchen area to put water on. Emmett had brought an assortment of both teas and coffee with him this morning, having the forethought, unlike Brian or Justin, that they might want tea instead of coffee. In the her case, it was in addition to coffee while Melanie was sticking to tea and Leda was on her third cup of coffee. "Brian, tell him if he gets sick, I'll beat the snot out of him."

The whole room erupted in laughter. Between Ava and Emmett, they would never lack country expressions that would add humor to any situation. With all that was going on around them, they certainly needed the comedy relief.

 

Brian left the others inside the warmth of the mansion, pulling his jacket around him. Ava was right. It was a warm day for February but the wind coming off of the lake made the crisp air brutal when the wind kicked up. He was glad that he grabbed the blanket from the mudroom on his way out. As long as the wind didn't kick up it would be enough. He found Justin on the bench beside the water, staring out into its nothingness. Brian wasn't sure what the blond was seeing in his mind, but he noticed how engrossed and focused Justin was on whatever it was.

He remembered his own long ago days of feeling trapped in situations not of his own making- the days of parents who couldn't get their shit together so they took it out on him. He'd had Mikey, Deb, and Vic but even then, he was unable or a more accurate term may have been unwilling, to let them help him past giving him a place to sleep, something to eat, and bandaging him up. Brian didn't feel any ease until he had graduated and, through Career Placement at the college, landed his first job with Ryder Advertising. The relief he felt at not having to become part of Jack and Joan Kinney's dysfunctional household once more was immeasurable. He had vowed to never be put in a position where he would ever have to depend on someone else again. He imagined that Justin was going through the same thing within his own mind right now.

"So, are you ready to come back in and talk about this?" Brian asked coming to sit beside Justin on the bench. He placed the throw blanket that he grabbed around Justin's shoulders. "Before you answer that, you should know that I have already been forewarned of how obstinate you can be. I can assure you, I'm worse."

Justin snuggled into the blanket, a small nod of gratitude to Brian as he still focused on the small ripples that began to traverse the formerly smooth surface of the water. "Then you are already wasting your time Brian, since I'm not budging on my decision."

"Why?"

"Why? Why what?"

"Why are you so unwilling to let them help you through this? Sapperstein has no grounds, and honestly, he can't make you go back the company or sue you for a contract that was between him and Brandon. So why not come back in and hear what the attorneys at the table have to say. I know that you trust Harry and strangely enough, I trust Mel. He knows full well what she is capable of, since before she braved the Great White North, they were partners in his law firm. I think that if you would actually listen to what they have to say, this will solve itself in your favor."

Justin took a moment to process all that Brian was saying. His orders didn't have anything to do with the lack of faith in Harry's abilities, or even Melanie's for that matter. It was that he knew Gary and Brandon better than they did. He had worked for and with them for years.

"You don't get it Brian; none of you do. In order for me to be free of them, I have to give them what they want. What they really want is for me to return to the company. Although there are a lot of talented members within the troupe, I'm probably the most accomplished of them. Add to that how long I've been with the company and you have the fact that I have a following of my own. People pay big money whenever they know that I am appearing. Gary doesn't want to lose that. So he's played this trump card in suing me, hoping to get me back where he feels I belong. It doesn't help that Brandon knows where I live either. If Michael is your stalker, then Brandon will be mine."

Brian shudders at the thought of another clingy ‘friend' and with the way Michael had been lately, he couldn't blame Justin for wanting to sell his loft and move to an undisclosed location. "Well, we are staying the week here so that's something. You won't have to be caught unawares at the loft but..."

"What's with the but, Brian? Yeah we're here for the week but both of us eventually have to return to our real lives. We can't avoid Tremont forever."

"Maybe we can," Brian said, hoping that Justin wouldn't make him spell his suggestion all out for him.

"No fucking way," Justin said after a few minutes of piecing together what Brian was saying. "We aren't even a couple Brian. There's no way I'm agreeing to live with you once the week is finished."

"That wasn't... okay so yeah it was what I was suggesting, but I don't see this as a bad thing."

"It's probably the worst idea I can think of."

"And why's that?" Brian was honestly curious to know. Sure they had only known each other a short time but already they were developing a real friendship- or at least Brian liked to think so- and that was rare. Given the fact that Justin let him into his body last night, there was definitely something there. Justin wouldn't have broken his ‘Bottoms Only Need Apply' rule for nothing. But Brian wasn't going to beg for the chance to see where last night led.

"I....I... well I don't know, except that we are still veritable strangers Brian. What if at the end of the week or before the week is even out, you decide that you don't want me here? Then I am basically back to square one. I would rather just go ahead and find somewhere now cut out all the hoopla of having to do it later."

Brian couldn't deny that Justin made sense in his logic. That was another thing he was learning to appreciate in talking to the younger man. "So why don't we add this stipulation to your contract?"

"Because that would negate what happened last night," Justin answered quickly.

"It doesn't have to," came Brian's swift comeback. Justin raised his eyebrow at Brian waiting for the man to continue. "You and I didn't fuck out of obligation or gratitude Justin. We wanted each other and we took what we wanted. It's as simple as that."

"Be that as it may, having a contract changes the rules. Basically I'll be fucking you for safe harbor."

"Is that what you think?" Brian drew the younger man into his arms. Before Justin had another chance to offer an argument or an answer, Brian kissed him. He let all of what he felt like after being inside of Justin flow through the kiss, using his tongue to convey that which he would never say. He didn't stop until a small moan escaped from deep in Justin's chest. Pulling back, Brian stared at the glazed lust evident in Justin's eyes. Clearing his throat he said, "This... whatever this is or may be, doesn't have to be written in black and white Justin. It just is. The contract only guarantees that we're living together on a trial basis, but your body is your own to give or withhold as you please. I wouldn't force you, but I think after feeling you tremble when I touch you or moan when I kiss you, that neither one of us will find fucking each other a hardship. And it will be for the same reason that last night happened. I want you, plain and fucking simple."

As harsh and beguiling by turns as the words were, Justin received Brian's open invitation to his bed without any other strings attached. He couldn't and wouldn't deny that he had enjoyed his time there and was looking forward to many return visits throughout the week. If nothing else came of it, that was fine with Justin, since he wasn't looking for anything beyond a good fuck, or in Brian's case, a great one. This morning before the shit hit the proverbial fan, Justin realized that he had slept better than he had in years. He was loath to peel himself out of Brian's strong arms, having felt a measure of safety that he hadn't even realized he lacked. So maybe spending the week at Brian's hideaway really wouldn't be so bad. "Okay Brian, but just promise me that if you want me out, you'll give me a few days to set something up for myself."

"I can do that, but I doubt that I will want you to go anywhere. After all, we're supposed to be in a relationship. It only gives credence to our deception, don't you think?" Brian smirked at the last comment and Justin couldn't help but snicker.

"I think Mr. and Mrs. Chartrez bought our act."

"I'm sure they did, but that leaves a few more things that you and I need to discuss with everyone. Craig and Marlene are up to something and frankly, I don't trust them. They are too keen on your sister, Justin."

"I know. Molly being pregnant - God have mercy, I still can't believe my sister's married and pregnant- is not going to help matters. I know this is about money especially since Molly is an heiress, but the question is who are they trying to pay off? Either way, I really don't think her husband or his family is going to take it lying down. They may be WASP, but I get the feeling they don't mind causing a scene when it comes to protecting one of their own."

Brian nodded. "You ready to head on back inside now? The wind is picking up again and Ava said that if you catch a cold she's going to..."

"Bust the snot out of me?"

Brian laughed. "Close but she said ‘beat.' I take it she's threatened you this way before?"

"Countless times and she was being modest. Usually she tells me that if I get sick I will be missing certain valuable body parts."

"Ouch! Remind me not to piss her off."

"Why do you think Harry is so restrained when dealing with Ava? She may be small but she's one dangerous little lady."

Brian got up from the seat. He paused to look out over the water for a minute, taking in a lungful of the crisp air and exhaling it on a huff. He didn't know what it was about Justin Taylor that called up every single protective instinct and caused the urge to disregard his mantras of self-preservation that he had worked so hard to reinforce over the years. But looking down at the picture-perfect man with the blond hair and blue eyes, Brian knew that he wouldn't trade an ounce of it for anything. In the short time they had known each other, Justin made Brian remember what it was like to genuinely trade barbs and bawdy humor with someone other than Em, Ted or Cynthia. He remembered what it felt like to relax a bit and not have to guard every single thought because someone would take its meaning wrong or attach their own desires to his words. With Justin, he felt free to be himself, without judgement or expectations. He didn't feel the fear that had shadowed him for so long. The fear that Brian wore like armor or greeted like an unwelcome old friend. Everything inside him screamed that Justin was different, and yet the same...a kindred spirit of sorts.

Turning away from the water and shaking off his sudden fanciful notions and self-examination, he reached down offering his hand to the man on the bench, still looking out over the water. He half expected that Justin wouldn't grasp his proffered hand, so he was a little surprised and delighted when he felt the smaller but no less strong hand grip his own. Pulling Justin up and wrapping his arms around the younger man, Brian looked down into the blue eyes he was fast becoming addicted to. They had changed from the despondent look they held earlier to one of wary hope. Brian smiled down into them. He could understand that. It was all so new, so different from either of their norms, and Brian couldn't stop the thought that this was his own new beginning. Perhaps it was or it wasn't, but Brian was looking forward to seeing just what he could have if he would give himself a chance. So the week ahead wasn't just a trial period for Justin but one for Brian as well. And there was no way that he was going to miss his chance to start anew; he wouldn't let Justin miss his either.     

End Notes:

I'm trying to rework my writing schedule at the moment because real life has decided to rear its ugly head at my expense. I'll get it all together again soon!! 

Happy Reading Y'all!

~Nichelle

PART IX: ~DESPERATE TIMES~ by Nichelle Wellesly
Author's Notes:

 

The defintion of Cutbuddy: origin- New jack Slang... means a 'best friend' or someone of a like mindset (ie. the person you would repeatedly cut class with in school) 

~Part IX:  DESPERATE TIMES

 

Everyone hurried away from the windows when they noticed Brian and Justin heading back into the kitchen.

 

 

 

“So… anybody else think this may be the real deal for the two of them?” Emmett asked them.

 

 

 

“I don’t know but I’ve never seen Brian look at anyone that way,” Ted stated.

 

 

 

“What way is that?” Harry demanded to know, his fatherly feelings towards Justin asserting themselves.

 

 

 

“Let me give you a small history lesson of Brian Kinney,” Mel began. “Not so long ago, he was considered the Stud of Liberty Avenue- the one everyone wanted and the one everyone wanted to be. I knew him as my biggest nemesis for Lindsay’s affections. God, we would fight and fight, even when we were saying the same exact thing. I now believe that we just bought into Lindsay’s bullshit, but I digress. Anyway, to say that Brian was an unrestrained playboy would be an understatement. He fucked everything that moved and then moved on. I can honestly say that what Ted said is true. Brian looks at Justin like he is really interested in maybe becoming more.”

 

 

 

“I think he might be guys,” Leda interjects. “Ted and I have worked with Brian for a number of years now. He’s far different than the man that we all thought we knew. That’s not to say that he no longer indulges in sex for sex sake, but he’s far more discriminate than he used to be. I also know that although he’s had some encounters, he’s been experiencing a certain level of discontent lately. I know it well.”

 

 

 

“You would, wouldn’t you?” Mel smiles at Leda.

 

 

 

“Yeah Sugar lips. It’s why I’ve stopped running around myself. So Harry and Ava, I say just wait and see how it all plays out before going all protective parent on Justin’s behalf. You might be surprised at what you discover.”

 

 

 

“Well if what happened last night at Chartez is anything to go by, I’d say that Justin is a very lucky young man. Brian was protective enough to even make my own heart skip a beat.” Ava fanned herself in remembrance.

 

 

 

“Do I need to get the hose, Darling?” Harry smirked at his wife’s antics.

 

 

 

“Only if you’re wielding it and it involves some hot oil afterwards.”

 

 

 

“UGH!” The collective groan from the other occupants of the table had them all laughing in a matter of seconds. Which is how Brian and Justin found the group when they had returned.

 

 

 

“What did we miss?”

 

 

 

“Oh just a mention of hoses and hot oil. Very enlightening.” Emmett supplied, still chuckling.

 

 

 

“Harry and Ava, you didn’t!” Justin said as he joined in the laughter.

 

 

 

“Yeah we did. But we didn’t tell them that it was actually one of your adventures instead of ours.”

 

 

 

“Sunshine?” Brian chuckled to see the young man blushing bright red at that little tidbit of information. “And here I thought you were all innocent…”

 

 

 

“After last night, how could you still have that impression?” Justin asked, giving Brian a slight smirk and a raised eyebrow.

 

 

 

Brian pulled the younger man close, not hesitating for a second to demonstrate just how hot he found Justin. Pulling back, he looked down into the glazed eyes of the blond. “If we had the time right now, I would try to entice you into a repeat performance or better still a new demonstration.”

 

 

 

Justin smiled brightly. “I’m sure everyone would enjoy hearing the evidence of what I do to you, but alas duty calls, lover.”

 

 

 

Brian laughed, reaching out to give Justin’s cushiony bottom a saucy spank. “And in the immortal words of ‘Shaft’ it’s my duty to please that booty.”

 

Justin and Brian cackled as the rest of the company looked on in shock. None of them had ever seen Brian in a comical light nor had Harry and Ava seen Justin as relaxed around a group of strangers. Each had let the other see the goofy humor in the other, and it only reinforced the conversation that occurred before the unlikely lovers had reentered the kitchen.

 

 

 

Emmett was the first one to break the surprised silence among their group. “Do you see the possibilities now Harry? Ava?”

 

 

 

The short-statured redhead grinned in response. “Good gravy Darling, I reckon I do. But first, let’s get you all fed and then we’ll figure out what to do about the pains in the ass trying to break up my sons’ happiness.”

 

 

 

“Sons?” Brian asked, amid the residual chuckles.

 

 

 

“Yes love. Sons. I’ve always considered Justin the son of my heart and am happy to now include you in that. You just keep making him happy among all the unhappiness he’s facing and you won’t have to worry about Harry and I scalping you in your sleep. Okay Sugar?”

 

 

 

Brian looked at her and then at Justin; then back to her again. In his most solemn voice he said, “I don’t think you’ll have to worry too much about that Ava.”

 

 

 

“So what do we do about the Sap and Brandon?” Justin asked.

 

 

 

“For now Melanie and I will try to negotiate for you to be let out of your contract five days early. In the meantime, you start building your portfolio with Brian and Kinnetik.” Harry answered him.

 

 

 

“We know that it won’t be easy to get him to see reason since technically you’re his star attraction, but considering he entered into a contract illegally with Brandon, using you as the bargaining chip, you can’t be held responsible for costing him business. There wasn’t a sign-on bonus which changed hands in advance of your contract ending and if we’re honest, even when you joined the dance troupe there was a clause for an exit strategy listed. You’ve fulfilled all of your contractual obligations as of a month ago so if he does try to engage a lawsuit, you can sue for Defamation of Character and Breach of Contract. The clause states that you or he may terminate the contract at any time without reason or notice.” Mel added.

 

 

 

“I had that put in there because at the time, I didn’t know if I would need to return home to take care of Molly.”

 

 

 

“And has that clause been updated or terminated since you signed this contract?”

 

 

 

“No. It wasn’t even an option until recently when I began thinking that I wanted to put down some roots.”

 

 

 

“Then unless he produces a document that you signed after this one, he has no case.” Harry said.

 

 

 

Brian’s phone rang while they were still trying to exhaust every possible scenario that Gary might try to come up with to counteract Justin’s refusal to return. Justin kept one ear to the conversation but was also listening to Brian’s increasingly agitated responses to the person he was speaking to on the phone.

 

 

 

“I don’t give a fuck what she says Cyn. She is NOT to wait there for my return. I have nothing to say to her or her cutbuddy standing there waiting to ambush me. If she persists in this nonsense, call the police and have her removed. Whatever is going on in her head regarding HER child is NOT my concern. Do it while I’m on the phone and put me on speaker.”

 

 

 

~LS~

 

 

 

Cynthia did as Brian told her. Honestly she was at her wits end with the entire situation. Upon arrival at the office this morning, she encountered not only Lindsay Peterson waiting for her but her ever-present sidekick Michael Novotny. How these two idiots were ever friends with Brian, Ted, and Emmett was anyone’s guess. But the fact that even though she had told both that Brian wouldn’t be in the office due to Kinnetik business, they vowed that they would remain there, even past closing, to wait for him until he does return. Then Lindsay demanded that she bring Ted in there since Cynthia was powerless to make Brian ‘climb out of whatever hole he’s fucking’.

 

 

 

Cynthia had almost cussed her out except that one of their more prominent account heads walked into the door at that moment and she couldn’t show anything but the professionalism the client came to expect from Kinnetik. So she hurried to her office and called Brian to advise him of what was going on, even while placing Ernest Templeton of Vibe Clothing down the hall in Brian’s office with Marcy, the receptionist for company. Thank goodness he had a thing for her and hopefully Marcy would stop putting the man off, thinking that if she was dating him, it would result in a conflict of interest with the company. She really needed to talk to Brian about that too, but first things first.

 

 

 

“Lindsay and Michael, I’ve been instructed to tell you both to get a fucking life, solve your own problems beginning with seeking psychological help, and remove your asses from Kinnetik premises before the police do it for you and none to gently.”

 

 

 

“Who do you think you are to speak to me this way Cynthia? I’m the mother of Brian’s child! I demand the respect I’m due as the most important person in Brian’s life.” Lindsay sneered, disregarding everything Cynthia actually said.

 

 

 

“And I’m his best friend!” Michael whiningly intoned.

 

 

 

“Well since you don’t have Gus with you now, you pulling that I’m the mother of his child line is of no consequence. And as for you Michael, if you had said ‘I’m Brian’s best MOOCHER’ it might have been the truest thing to ever pass your lips. Now I’m going to tell you two One. More. Time. LEAVE!!”

 

 

 

“We’re not going anywhere! Do you hear me Cynthia?! NOWHERE, until Brian gets here!”

 

 

 

Lindsay sat down, planting her ass firmly in one of the cushioned chairs in the lobby, glaring at Cynthia as if daring her to bodily remove her. Michael, of course, followed suit with the same haughty look on his face. As for her part, Cynthia had had enough of playing the bullshit high school games Michael and Lindsay had been known for in the past. Looking at their sneering and pouting faces, she crossed over behind the reception desk, about to do what she had been instructed to do. Putting her cell phone down face up, Cynthia dialed the 111th precinct and asked for a squad car immediately to remove some human vermin that refused to leave. After completing the call, she advised the two trespassers that the police would be there momentarily.

 

 

 

“Brian you heard?” Cynthia asked.

 

 

 

“Brian? BRIAN!” Lindsay screamed, while Michael’s whine reached a whole new fever pitch just as the police entered the lobby of Kinnetik.

 

 

 

“BRIIIIIAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!! Brian you need to fire this bitch! Lindsay could work for you and do a much better job than this other blonde bimbo here. Do you know she called the cops on us? On your BEST FRIENDS??!! Answer me, Brian!”

 

 

 

“Yes, Cynthia. I heard it all. Gus is here with me and safe. Justin and I will be down at the station to file a formal complaint with the police department. Can you please ask Donovan to get started on the restraining orders for me?”

 

 

 

“Restraining orders? Brian, you can’t be serious! I will not be ignored!”

 

 

 

“We’ll see, Glenn Close the sequel. In the meantime, is Ernest still there, Cynthia?”

 

Cynthia laughed aloud at Brian’s reference to “Fatal Attraction.” It definitely fit the bill of both Michael and Lindsay’s obsession with Brian. Clearing her throat of the residual chuckle, she confirmed, “Yes Brian. Ernest is currently in your office with Marcy for company. In the meantime, I will happily call Donovan and get the proceedings started. Is Justin coming with you into the office?”

 

 

 

“Who the fuck is Justin?” Michael screeched, causing the police to yank him around hard.

 

 

 

“Apparently you don’t understand what the right to remain silent means. It means to SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!” Officer Mitchell Danvers said.

 

 

 

The other officer chuckled in response. “It’s a wonder Deb raised this child without going deaf, isn’t it? Personally I probably would have ended up in jail for abuse. I still might for police brutality if both of these bitches don’t shut up.” Officer Sheryl Mathers confirmed. “Mr. Kinney, as soon as you can, come down to the station to file your complaint. If word on the street is correct, I doubt they will be able to post bail before you get here. We’ll put them in the same cell, away from gen pop so that they won’t get killed by the other inmates, but maybe they’ll drive each other crazy in the process.”

 

 

 

“Thank you Sheryl, I will be down there as soon as I can. There may also be another matter to speak with you about, although I’m not sure yet,” Brian said over the speaker of the phone.

 

 

 

“Let us know when you are.”

 

 

 

"Will do. Cyn, Justin and I will talk to you in a bit. Ted is here, so he’ll be arriving about the same time I will. Later.”

 

 

 

Brian clicked off leaving Cynthia to watch as Brian’s two Migraines were carted off and put none-too-gently into the back of the police car. She waved as the officers pulled the cruiser into traffic, laughing aloud at the twin scowls written on the two faces pressed against the window of the backseat. She walked back into the lobby once the car was no longer in sight, hearing the whir and buzz of a productive office and thought to herself, A wish FINALLY fulfilled! The wicked witch and her ever-present munchkin will now occupy the same space… and none of it surrounding Kinnetik or Brian Kinney. So LONG OVERDUE!!  

 

 

~PART X: DESPERATE MEASURES by Nichelle Wellesly
Author's Notes:

Some major plot development here... ENJOY!! 

~PART X: DESPERATE MEASURES


An hour later, Brian and Justin arrived at the police station with Harry and Ava in tow. Brian could hear the infamous Novotny whine going at full volume even as he heard Lindsay’s plea to be moved to another cell, preferably one with concrete walls so she could tune Michael out. Brian would have laughed had the situation not been so serious. For Justin, Ava, and Harry’s part, they were surprised to see Glenn Shelton there. Justin immediately crossed over to him and embraced the man. Harry put a restraining arm on Brian to give Justin a little privacy, explaining the true nature of Justin’s greeting with the tall, good-looking man hugging Justin as if his life depended on it.


“What’s happened?” Justin asked, concerned written all over his face.


“Craig’s goons mistook Casey for Molly last night. I arrived home just in time to see her wrestling with them, as they were trying to get her in the van. We called the police and they came but I’m here to see if there is any follow-up. I didn’t want to leave the house until Emanuel got there. He and Molly, along with Molly’s husband are at the house.”


“And Craig… where is he?”


“As far as I know, he and that bitch are still locked in their rooms at the Chartrez resort. The only reason we know who was behind the attempted kidnapping is because he called Casey ‘Molly’ and said that she was the payment that was owed. My Casey is a tough little cookie but this shook her up real bad.”


“I can imagine it did. I’ll go by and see her in a bit. Something has to be done to tie Craig and Marlene to this. Has the investigator turned up anything yet?”


“That’s why I’m here. Craig owes a massive sum to Antonio Laurent.”


“Why does that name sound familiar?”


“He was the man Molly had frequent nightmares about when she came to live with us. That was…”


“I remember the fucker now. The asshole who Marlene was trying to get Molly to fuck before I busted her out of there. That fucking perv!”


“Yeah… and somehow, according to Molly, he’s been sniffing around her off and on for the past three years. He would turn up in where she was at odd times, which is part of the reason she would stay on campus. The other reason…”


“Was because of John.” Justin sighed. “How much does he know about Molly’s past with this bastard?”

 

“Only what Marlene was trying to set up. Molly didn’t lie to him about that, but… well I think he is looking to finish what was supposed to happen.”


“What makes you think that?”


“It wasn’t me at first, but the stuff Casey said they kept saying to her while those men were trying to kidnap her. They kept telling her how she was going to enjoy their boss, whether she wanted to or not. Needless to say, they weren’t prepared for the hellcat they unleashed with those words. Not only was Casey fighting for herself, she was fighting for Molly too.”


Justin nodded. “Is there anything that can be done about Craig and Marlene, Harry? The violation of the restraining orders will only go so far. They need some serious jail time, as does fucking Laurent. Is there anything we can do to make that happen immediately?”


“Craig and Marlene would be easy to take down. In fact, that’s why you’re here, even as Brian is here to press charges against those two nitwits in there. As for Laurent, he’ll be a bit harder to remove from yours and Molly’s lives. Craig and Marlene made a deal with the devil; he’s bound to try to collect any way he can,” Harry answered.


“How much money do they owe him? I’ll pay it if that means she remains safe,” Justin pleaded.


“That’s the thing, Justin. I don’t think he wants the money back at all. He wants Molly,” Glenn told them.


Carl joined their group just then. “Brian, I need to take your statement. Are you ready?”


“More than ready, but Carl, there are some other issues we need to speak to you about as well. Justin’s father and step-bitch have been causing some serious issues. Currently they are locked within one of the resort rooms at the Chartrez Resort. Because of their actions, his sister is in immediate danger. This is Glenn Shelton and our attorney Harry Donaldson, who can both tell you more about the situation.”


“Alright gentlemen, let me get Brian’s statement first and then we can talk about what else is going on. Justin, I haven’t had the pleasure to meet you yet. Word is that you’re Brian’s partner.”


Justin couldn’t help but smile as the detective’s warm hand enclosed his. “Yes sir, I am. Brian has told me a little about you after Deb’s phone call to him. I must say, she chose wisely for herself.”


“Well thank you. I got lucky finding Deb. She’s loud and feisty, but I never have to guess if she loves me. I’ll keep her.” Carl ushered the four men back into his office, shutting the door on the chimpanzees jumping up and down, screaming for Brian in the cell directly across from his office. Smiling evilly at Michael and Lindsay, Carl closed his blinds then went to sit behind his desk. “Sorry about the current occupants. I’ll put in a call to animal control as soon as we’re done here.”


They all laughed at Carl’s reference to the Drama Twins. Justin was amazed that although they are in a cell, at Brian’s behest, while he is there to press charges, they somehow thought the brunet was there to rescue them. Justin didn’t miss Michael’s sighed ‘Brian, I knew you would come for me’ or Lindsay’s ‘thank God Brian, you have to get me out of here. We need to talk about the baby.’ Justin knew that last part was said specifically for his benefit, and although he would have liked to respond, the chaste kiss upon his lips that lasted a little too long, spoke volumes to the bitch with the bun in the oven. Justin couldn’t help but want to turn around and stick his tongue out to tease the heifer, but he restrained himself. Acting childish was Michael and Lindsay’s gig, he would just bask in the knowledge that he had Brian in a way they never would.


“So other than the restraining orders against Michael and Lindsay, are there any other charges you would like to press? The harassment is already a given, in which they will be ordered not to contact you physically, by letter, phone, or in person,” Carl said.


“Child endangerment charges,” Brian stated emphatically before explaining why. “Also is there a way to add stalking to the case against them. It came to my attention yesterday, courtesy of Mel, that Lindsay and Michael have been having me followed by a PI.”


“You’re shitting me right?” Carl asked incredulously.


“I wish I was, but that brings up another charge against Lindsay, since the money she was using to pay the guy was from Gus’ college fund. Michael was using the money that Ben was giving him for the store’s mortgage to pay his share of the investigator’s fee and buy collectables.”


“That little fucking maniac! Deb has been working her ass off to replenish the money she loaned him from her savings when she thought it would save his store. I have a right mind to go kick his ass,” Carl exploded.


“Whoa, Detective. We all have to stay on the right side of the law for this one. Although I share the sentiment, I think having them face their actions in a court, will for once, be more effective. They can’t brush a record off as they would us yelling at them.”


“Never thought I would see the day where you’re more the voice of reason than I am,” Carl chuckled. “But that brings up Lindsay’s claim that she is pregnant with your child.”


“A total and complete lie, that I can’t prove until the bitch drops her litter,” Brian said through gritted teeth. "The only thing I’m sure of is that she was down here while I was away on business. According to Mel, she took to her hotel bed for the entire week, too depressed to get up. I also know that she was fucking Sam Auerbach and some guy who was her boss at the time, yet is trying to extort money and care from me. I’ll leave that particular situation alone until she has the kid.”


“Do you know the guy’s name?” Carl asked.


“No, I don’t remember, but Mel would. She’s relocating here, if you want to talk to her. Debbie will be thrilled.”


“Yeah she will be, and so am I. We’ve missed the kids. How is Gus, by the way?”


“Pissed off, but he’s okay. He’s just happy to be away from Lindsay and her dick-of-the-moment. He left the hotel room the day before yesterday and found Ted at Kinnetik. He doesn’t want to go back and I’m not going to make him.”


“Brian…”


“No Carl, no. Lindsay has been neglecting Gus for a long time; both kids can attest to that. I won’t subject him to that she-wolf any longer,” Brian stated vehemently.

 

“Look son, I know how you feel. All I’m saying is make sure all your ducks are in a row before you fight Lindsay on this. If Gus was physically abused that’s one thing. It’s not hard to prove, but emotional and mental abuse are. We all know how manipulative she can be. It will be hard to get a judge to see past the serene exterior to the shrewd and calculating woman beneath. For what it’s worth, I’ll stand up for you if you need me too.”


Brian nodded, fighting back the emotions that were threatening to spill over. He hadn’t known Carl very long, but they had gotten to know each other very well in a short time. Brian remembered grilling Carl about his intentions towards Deb the first time she had a family dinner to introduce him to the guys. Brian appreciated the man’s plain speaking and sense of honor. It was rare that he found that kind of thing in the heteros he’d come across. Carl didn’t understand the whole gay thing, but he didn’t judge any of them for it. Instead he sought to learn about it and their experiences.

 

As a result, he fought alongside Deb for equal rights within the LGBT community, his black-and-white perception of right and wrong, coming to the forefront of every issue. He had long since realized that it’s about people, not preference, and that sexuality was not the total sum of who the person is. He sometimes wished his own parents had learned that lesson, but Brian was well past the point of caring whether the Kinneys ever did.


“Now that we know what direction to take with the restraining orders for Lindsay and Michael, what can I do for you other gentlemen?”


Harry cleared his throat before speaking. “We need to have Craig and Marlene Taylor jailed for violation of the restraining orders for Justin Taylor and Malinda Taylor-Callahan. They were all guests at the Chartrez Resort opening last evening. Whereas that, in and of itself, wasn’t the issue, Craig and Marlene Taylor, per the restraining order, were to keep a distance of at least five-hundred feet away from my clients. During two separate instances, they violated the terms and conditions of the order and approached both Justin and Malinda with threats and malice. We would like the terms enforced immediately, as they are once again proving a danger to the Taylor siblings.”


“Do you have a copy of the documents with you?” Carl asked, typing the complaint into the computer as Harry spoke. When the older gentleman handed the dockets to him, Carl read over the paperwork, eyes widening every so often as he read the official record. Looking back to his computer, he tapped in the case as he remembered it several years ago. “Oh my God. You’re Jennifer Taylor’s children?”


Justin’s face mirrored the shock of Carl’s. “You knew my mother?”


“More than you would think. She was my first wife’s cousin. I remember her telling me that Jenn’s family was upset because she married down and it costs her. Sadly, she died of pneumonia before any of them could be reconciled with her.”


“How well versed are you about Craig’s remarriage to Marlene after Mom’s death?”


“More than you would know. We had tried to gain custody of you and Molly...or better yet, your grandfather tried before he died. The judge had said that since there was no known reason why you and Molly should be removed from your childhood home, there was no valid reason he could find for removing you and Molly from Craig’s care. It was a decision we would all regret in later years.”


Justin nodded. “That’s all water under the bridge, but now they are posing a threat once again. I fear even with Molly married and pregnant, Craig and Marlene won’t give up. Glenn said that he is expecting his investigator’s report later today. I was hoping that with this restraining order and having the idiots arrested from the Chartrez Resort, that report could be expedited. I know that they are hell-bent on obtaining Molly, but we don’t know why,” Justin said.


“Mr. Shelton, I know that your wife was attacked last night and we are looking into it. Could this be about Molly as well? I know that you all are close with Justin and Molly.”


“That’s exactly what I was coming to tell you Detective. Casey remembered one of the goons saying ‘Come on Molly, you’re going to love the boss’ attentions.’ No doubt what attentions he was talking about. I know that Antonio Laurent plays a part in this but I’m not quite sure how.”


“That’s the easiest part. He was the man Marlene was attempting to get Molly to screw, back when we were still subjected to her abuse daily. I walked in to finding the bitch standing over my sister with a sizzling hot iron, about to burn her. It was evident that Molly had fought Marlene long and hard before I arrived, but Marlene had knocked Molly into a corner. It should all be in the report. I guess Antonio never forgot about the one that got away.” Justin’s voice was laced with anger recalling that long-ago fucked-up day.


“We’ll send someone over to the Chartrez Resort to put Craig and Marlene in custody immediately. Although we can add to this case and notate Mrs. Shelton’s, until we have probable cause, we can’t go after Antonio Laurent yet. In the meantime, keep Molly and your wife close, Mr. Shelton. Due to the nature of yesterday’s attack, I’ll call your district and have two uniforms watching your place until we are able to confirm or deny Laurent’s involvement.”


“Justin, Brian, and Molly are due back at the Chartrez Resort tonight. Is there any way we can arrange for security there as well?” Glenn asked. He was worried for his wife and the daughter of his heart. Molly had finally told them that she was married. Although their first inclination was to yell at her for keeping it a secret, they also understood why she did. A student involved with a professor- even if he was no longer her teacher- would have meant expulsion and Molly had too many career goals to risk them for her own personal happiness. She was going to make a brilliant forensic analyst, already having a job lined up for when she graduated, just before the baby is due. Although he didn’t like it, he wasn’t one to stand in the way of true love either.


“Don’t worry about it Glenn; I’ll take care of it,” Brian told the worried man. “I know some bully-boys of my own and use them whenever necessary away from the club. I’ll put in the call now and have them meet us all at your house.”


“Okay but I would like to pay for them…” Glenn began only to be cut off.


“No. They won’t accept your money. Besides if it means protecting me and mine, they will do this for free. Justin and I have to put in an appearance at Kinnetik and then we’ll meet you at your house.”


“In that case, thanks Brian. Justin it looks like you’ve done real well for yourself in the relationship department at long last. It’s about time.”


Justin started to protest but Brian stopped him with his comment. “I keep trying to tell him that I’m a catch Glenn. He just won’t believe me.”


Justin snickered and rolled his eyes before replying in falsetto, “Yes dear. And later we’ll gather the children and tell of the romantic stalking I was given as a courtship. Well how could I resist your charms?”


Brian snickered. “I didn’t stalk you, Twat. Just saw you, wanted you, and if it means I have to be your knight to have you, I can live with that.”


“You’re doing a great job so far…” Justin trailed off, getting lost in the swirling hazel depths of Brian’s eyes. He felt the blush creep up his cheeks, realizing that he had voiced his thoughts aloud. Flustered and a bit nervous at the attachment he was beginning to feel, Justin cleared his throat and looked to Carl again. “So, we’ll be in touch the minute the report comes in Detective Horvath. In the meantime, Harry can you meet me at Kinnetik for that other meeting this afternoon, in about an hour?”


“No problem Justin. I think the situation with Sapperstein will play out as it ought. It’s Brandon Parks that I’m not so sure of,” Harry told him, hesitantly.


“Why?”


“That’s what I’ve been meaning to tell you. Melanie called while we were on the way here. She met with Sapperstein this morning, but Brandon was there as well. Apparently, he’s determined that you are going to remain with the troupe, even more than Gary was. Once Mel explained part of the situation to Gary, he asked to meet with you to discuss the matter in person- hence the meeting. But Brandon became belligerent. When Gary told him to calm down, he stated that he was not about to lose you. I don’t know what he has in mind, but it can’t be good.”


“Fucking hell! Another thing for me to fix while trying to reclaim my life.”    


“Looks like my bully-boys would have been needed regardless Sunshine,” Brian drawled. He could feel the anxiety pouring off of Justin in waves, but he wasn’t about to show his own heightened worries about the situation. He wouldn’t let Justin buy into his own fears, nor would he let Justin become a slave to them by giving up what he wanted. “I promised that you wouldn’t stand alone in this; I intend to keep my word. The question is will you let me?”


Justin looked over at Brian again, thinking of their conversation by the lake earlier in the morning. That talk already seemed as if it happened a lifetime ago with the new developments. But Justin, who had never trusted easily, knew instinctively that he could trust Brian. Although he worried that this situation was a bit too big for both of them, he would have to put his faith in what they were doing to work. Brian had problems of his own, but the fact that he was still willing to help Justin with his spoke volumes about the man he had met only days ago. Making the decision Justin told him, “Yeah Brian. I’ll let you.”

 

The group left Detective Horvath’s office feeling lighter, each in their own way. The chimps of course started screaming and knocking at the cage they were trapped in again the minute Brian and Justin came into view, but they weren’t paid any attention. Instead, Brian grabbed Justin’s hand, capturing his eyes before lowering his head to place a gentle kiss of understanding and reassurance upon his lips. Brian didn’t know what the future held, but he was never more sure than in that moment that he wouldn’t let Justin Taylor go… even if he had to fight the man himself. Resolve renewed, Brian ushered Justin out of the police station to the background noise of Carl giving orders.

 

 

PART XI ~IN FOR A PENNY~ by Nichelle Wellesly

PART XI~IN FOR A PENNY~

  

Kinnetik

 

Brian, followed by Justin and Harry, arrived at Kinnetik. The drama which occurred there that morning  had seemingly been forgotten, as the hustle and bustle was back and reaching epic proportions. Cynthia came towards him, a huge smile splitting her face.

 

“We got them, Brian. We’ve got the Taltons! They were there at Chartrez last night. Despite the drama, they were impressed with what you’ve done with them. They asked to set up a meeting later this week.”

 

“That soon, huh?”

 

“Wait,” Justin interrupted. “Who are the Taltons and why is this such a big deal?”

 

“Only the richest family in the Northwest Region, famous for their movie studios. They are along the lines of Paramount Motion Pictures and 20th Century Fox. Providing we can get the preliminary pitch done by…”

 

“Friday at three,” Cynthia supplied.

 

Brian nodded. “Friday at three, this will send Kinnetik global, faster than any of the other international campaigns we have going.”

 

“Well then I guess we better get started. Where do you want me?” Justin asked.

 

Brian rolled his eyes and smirked. “There are so many ways to answer that question Sunshine.”

 

Harry barked a laugh while Justin blushed. “You know what I mean.”

 

“Yes I do. But you have to admit that you left my imagination to go where it wants. Truthfully, I want you to work directly with me on this campaign.”

 

“Seriously? Brian, I…”

 

“Am going to work directly with me on this campaign,” Brian answered, in a voice which brooked no argument. “Cynthia, have Murph give you the specs to give to Justin. I already had Ted talk to him about Justin. After seeing Justin’s work, Ted agreed with me, including adding a percentage of the company into Justin’s stock portfolio.”

 

“You did what?!” Justin yelled.

 

Brian ignored him. “As one of the executives, he’s entitled to that. It won’t affect his school schedule when he starts. In fact, it will help him to finish his degree that much faster, since they use life experience as credit, provided it can be proven. The work he did with me on site of the Chartrez account earned him the title of Executive Liaison and he’s only thirty credits shy of his International Business degree. Murph still retains his job as Art Director, but Justin works only on specific accounts, directly with me. Not bad for someone who was only supposed to start as a freshmen during the summer term. I had Ted check with Ben and with all of his ‘life experience,’ he’ll be entering Carnegie Mellon as a second term Junior. In the meantime, are the suits here?”

 

“They were delivered about an hour ago and are in your office,” she answered, still smiling. From what she could already see of the young man, he was going to make a fabulous addition to the Kinnetik staff. Ted had already shared some of Justin’s work with her and a little of the history of how Brian and Justin met days ago. They both were in awe over the changes Brian began making from the moment the two of them met. Even though their relationship was supposed to be on a trial basis, both Cynthia and Ted were thinking that Justin Taylor would be around for the long haul. To that end, she began as she meant to go on. “I made sure that the Boss suit had a high-powered shirt and tie to go with it. Giuseppe had Jacques send a new suit over for you as well. Good thing you are there so much. I didn’t even have to ask. They offered.”

 

“Can you send Ted over with their payment and then have him come back in here?”

 

“No. You misunderstand, Brian. The suit is free. They remembered Justin from the other day and apparently someone came in talking about him. They said that if it would help you to rescue the young man from his evil clutches then they would do everything they could to help you in this small way.”

 

“Did they say who it was?” Justin asked, instantly on alert. Brian noticed and put a hand to the small of his back in reassurance.

 

“Does the name Brandon Parks ring a bell?”

 

“Fucking hell! He is just determined to make my life a misery, isn’t he?”

 

“He is,” Brian confirmed. “Look, let’s just prepare for the meeting with your ex-boss and then we will address the situation with Parks. You’ve already made your decisions; he needs to see that.”

 

They headed to the office, each man lost in his own thoughts. For Brian’s part, it was how best to extricate Justin from this Brandon character. He knew that the young man wouldn’t give up easily. Honestly, he couldn’t blame Brandon for his pursuit of the delectable blond, since Brian was finding himself falling head-over-heels for him. It was something that Brian never would have thought to happen to him in a million years. He was always so careful with whom he let into his life. But there was something about Justin: his struggles, his pride, his triumphs, and his intelligence, that spoke to Brian on every level. Although he was a naturally cautious man, he also knew when to take risks. He was sure the gamble he was taking on Justin Taylor was one that would pay off in more ways than he’d ever bargained for. He was looking forward to it.

 

As for Justin, his thoughts were darker. He couldn’t understand why Brandon was trying to force his hand. He knew that Brandon had wanted more from him than a one-night stand, but he thought he had understood when, after the second time they fucked, Justin told him that there would never be anything permanent between them. What was Brandon hoping to gain? Was he thinking that by showing up where Justin lived or by disregarding what Justin often told him, that he’d wear down his resistance in the long run? If that was Brandon’s reasoning, he surely did not know Justin. And why was Gary so hellbent on speaking with him in person? Was it to convince Justin to stay with the troupe or was it more than that? Gary had always known that when Justin tired he would leave the troupe; those plans were never a secret. So why the sudden press for Justin to not quit? What the hell was going on?

 

Justin nearly jumped when he felt a strong pair of arms come around him. He was so deep in thought that he hadn’t heard anyone enter the room where he was changing. He instantly relaxed as he recognized the familiar comforting scent, mixed in with Armani Code cologne. Justin inhaled a huge breath before letting it out, letting the scent infuse every part of him.

 

“Relax. It’s all going to be fine.”

 

“How can you be so sure? It’s like one drama after another already and it’s only been...”

 

“A few days, I know. But look at all that we’ve accomplished together in those few days. We’ve worked on a major account, set up an agreement, gotten you into one of the premiere ad agencies in the Northeast region, sent off your acceptance letters to further your education, then you acquired and moved in with your lover. As a few days go, I think you’re managing your life quite well. After all, it’s not everyday someone recognizes my fabulousness and causes me to take a second and third look.”

 

Justin snickered. “Well you certainly don’t lack confidence.”

 

“And neither should you. Regardless of how he tries to keep you, Sapperstein doesn’t have a leg to stand on.”

 

“And Brandon? What am I going to do about him?”

 

“You’re not going to do anything. It’s not your fault that he chooses to live in his own delusion. I’m sure you didn’t lead him on. From what I gather, you’re not that type of person. He was a warm body and a surface-friend when you needed one.”

 

“Surface-friend?”

 

“Yeah. He was a friend, who never bothered to look deeper to get to the man beneath the facade. Lindsay and Michael were surface-friends for me. As long as I was doing what they thought I should be doing, all was right in their little, narrow worlds. It’s when I stepped out of their box…”

 

“That they hired a private detective or invented dramas to bring you back to them.”

 

“Yes. And that is what Brandon is doing right now. Trying to invent a drama that will keep you tied to him. You get to decide if you want to play it out until it results in what I’m going through with Michael and Lindsay. Or you can end it now and save yourself the headache. You’ve made it clear that you weren’t interested in what he was offering.”

 

“But I seem to be interested in what you are.”

 

“What can I say? I’m special.” They both laughed at that before growing serious again. “All I can say is that I didn’t expect you either. But I am glad that you’re here.”

 

“Me too,” Justin said, a slow smile creeping on his full lips. Brian placed a gentle kiss on them, even as a soft knock on the door curbed the moment.

 

“Guys, Gary Sapperstein is here, as is Brandon Parks. Oh, and I’ve rescheduled the meeting with Vibe. Apparently, Marcy is still out to lunch with Ernest. His meeting will be on Thursday.” Cynthia called through the door.

 

“Okay, we’ll be right out,” Brian answered. “Ready?”

 

“As much as I ever will be. Thanks Brian.”

 

“No need to thank me, but I’ll accept payment in the form of your tight little ass wrapped around my cock as soon as this meeting is over.”

 

“If Brandon pushes me too far, I’ll wrap myself around your cock during the meeting.”

 

Brian folded his hands as if praying to the gods. “Please let the fool act up… please let the guy be an asshole! I’ll do anything!”

 

Justin laughed. “Stop! I can’t go in there red-faced.”

 

“Well fine. How about this then?” And Brian grabbed Justin, spinning him around quickly while catching the lithe body to him. Descending his head, Brian attached himself to Justin’s lips, pushing his tongue between the plushness to get to the sweetness inside. Being mindful of the limited time they had, Brian made quick work of exploring every nook and cranny within the hot cavern, pulling gasps and moans from Justin as he continued indulging himself. When Brian finally tore his mouth away from what was fast becoming his addiction, he was gratified to Justin’s face flushed with pleasure and a dazed look in his blue eyes. That almost-fucked look was what Brian had been aiming for. “Time to go Sunshine.”

 

“Couldn’t we just…”

 

Brian chuckled. “Later. But first, let’s finish this.”

 

Justin nodded, knowing that Brian was right. Taking the older man’s hand, they left the wardrobe, closing the short distance to the conference room. Harry was already seated near the head of the table. Cynthia and Ted were next to him. The space directly at the head of the table was reserved for Brian but the seat to his right was for Justin. Making their way to the front of the room, still hand-in-hand, Brian and Justin claimed their respective places.

 

“Justin,” Brandon said, his voice breathless. “It’s such a pleasure to see you. You haven’t been home for days.”

 

“No I haven’t,” Justin said, noncommittally. He wasn’t going to let Brandon play the concerned boyfriend card.

 

“Well where were you?” Brandon asked indignantly. He was hoping to put Justin on the defensive; make him see the error of his ways in ditching him. He wasn’t liking Justin’s uncaring, unapologetic tone.

 

“Not that it’s any of your business but I was with my partner. You remember him, don’t you Brandon? Gary Sapperstein, I would like you to meet my business partner, as well as my life-partner, Brian Kinney.”

 

“Life-partner?! What the fuck are you playing at Justin? You told me you don’t do boyfriends?” Brandon nearly screeched. In that moment, he reminded everyone of the chimpanzee named Michael Novotny currently sitting in a Pittsburgh jail cell off of Liberty Avenue.

 

“That’s right. I don’t, but I do do my partner… all the time, in fact.”

 

“When the fuck did this happen? And how does he feel about you fucking my brains out on Monday night?”

 

“That’s a lie and we all know it, since I was nowhere near my apartment. In fact, we were at the Chartrez Resort for their opening, which is part of the reason I left the show. Gary, the other reason I left is because I’ve decided that it was time for me to move on. I will begin attending the programs at PIFA and Carnegie Mellon within the next few weeks. In addition to that, my position here requires that I am available at a moment’s notice to meet with the lucrative clients of our business.”

 

Gary, who had been silent up until this point, looked at the young man who had been like a son to him in so many ways. “Are you happy with this decision, Justin? Why have you kept this from me for so long? When did you apply to college?”

 

Justin smiled at the older man. “The last time I came home, I took a chance. When we came back this time, I picked up my mail and responded right away. Gary, I’m tired of travelling. My family is here; my life is here and I need time to reconnect with the people who truly matter to me. I want to thank you for taking a chance on me when I had nowhere else to go. The situation I left behind was an untenable one that I needed to disassociate myself with for a time. But times have changed and apparently it’s also healed a wound deep within me. I have to be here.”

 

“Then there’s really nothing left to say except go be happy, Son. I wish you every success. It will be extremely hard to replace you.”

 

“WHAT?!?! Gary, you can’t let him go! I won’t let him go! He’s mine! He’s my partner! I will not go on without him!” Brandon screeched. “Justin! You belong with me! You will be with me! I swear I will kill anyone who tries to stand in the way of you and I being together!”

 

“Brandon, get ahold of yourself! I don’t belong to you or anyone else. I belong to me. And as for who I will be with, I already told you. I’m with him. Now if there is anything that I have done or said to make you think that what you wanted really mattered in the grand scheme of my life, I apologize, but it doesn’t change facts. You and I were fuckbuddies. We had a good time but now it’s over. Be content with that!”

 

“NEVER!” Brandon lunged across the table in his effort to get to Justin. Crawling and clawing, kicking and screaming, he was pulled back and unceremoniously dumped down onto the floor, two towering men standing over him.

 

“Where would you like him, Mr. Kinney?" Alexander Graham asked his boss.

 

When Brian said there might be some trouble, he and Josh had thought it would be a minor yelling match, sort of like what to expect from the other pains in the ass of Brian’s life. Michael Novotny and Lindsay Peterson were adult children prone to temper tantrums more often than not. What they were not expecting was the snot-nosed, crying, mumbling, deranged individual they pulled from the conference table. What was worse was that Josh had recognized the guy immediately since he’d fucked the guy on Tuesday night. They had shared a laugh because the guy kept calling him ‘Justin.’ Now they each knew why.

 

“I think this is Mr. Sapperstein’s territory, am I correct?” Brian asked, holding on to Justin’s hand. He had taken ahold of it just before the idiot lunged across the table. Justin had been about to deck him if he’d come any closer. Brian knew it and grabbed the hand so that Justin wouldn’t incur an assault charge.

 

“It is indeed, since I have his power of attorney. It’s clear that right now, he isn’t in his right state of mind. Can you call someone to come and take him to a hospital until I can make the arrangements to have him transferred to New York. During the off-season, it’s where I live.”

 

“Sure. I can do that for you. Thank you for letting Justin go without a fight.”

 

“Oh I was prepared to fight you for him. But only if this was some kind of forced situation. It’s why I demanded the money. I figured if it was then his, for lack of a better term, kidnappers wouldn’t see a penny of his hard earned money. I was hoping that when they saw that he wasn’t going to give them the finances that they would have demanded, they would let him go. But now that I have heard directly from Justin and see the kind of people he is involved with, I can let him live his life without my interference with a clear conscience. That young man means a whole lot to me, no matter how many times we’ve bumped heads in the past. Justin Taylor is very special. Remember that! And Justin, if you ever have need of me or want to come back, you know where to find me, don’t you?”

 

“Yeah Gary, I do. You should talk to Brian about doing the advertising. I have it on good authority that you would have better success moving your account here. Vanguard sucks!”

 

Ted, Cynthia and Brian laughed. “Yeah they do, but Gardner does the best with what he has, I suppose,” Brian said.

 

“You know Gardner Vance?”

 

“To my everlasting shame. I used to work for him before I started Kinnetik. If you’re interested, we’ll let you look at the mockups currently in the works for another client you’re familiar with. I’m sure Mrs. Marsden wouldn’t mind.”

 

“Elizabeth Marsden? She’s one of our largest benefactors. Although with Justin leaving, I’m not sure how much longer that will continue.”

 

“Trust me Gary, let Kinnetik handle the adverts. You haven’t re-signed with Vanguard yet have you?”

 

“No, I was waiting to see what was going on with you. But now that’s done, it’s time to set the troupe up for next year. Will you be doing the artwork personally?”

 

“Probably not,” Brian answered for Justin. “We just acquired a very lucrative account that Justin will be working on personally with me. However, Murph, our Art Director, has been working on the Marsden account and would be assigned to yours as well.”

 

Before Gary could answer, the ambulance in the company of Carl arrived. “What is it with you boys and this building? Another lunatic friend acting up, Brian?”

 

Justin snickered at the reference Carl made about Michael and Lindsay. “Sadly, this is one of mine, Carl. He didn’t like the fact that I’m living my life with Brian very much and made a great show. Unlike the human chimps in your cells though, I really believe he needs medical attention. This is Gary Sapperstein, Founder of the “For All Seasons” Dance Troupe. He has Brandon’s POA and Medical Proxy per the standard contract with his employees, since the job is fairly dangerous. He’ll be able to give you and the hospital all the information you need. Gary, think about what I said, okay?”

 

“I will Justin and I mean it, go be happy!”

 

“I will!” Justin hugged the man while Brandon was being strapped to a gurney still mumbling about the unfairness of it all and that Justin belonged to him. As he watched them go, he turned to Brian. “I almost feel sorry for him, Brian.”

 

“Who and why?”

 

“Gary, because he’s not only losing one talented dancer but two. Brandon, for all his insanity, is a brilliant dancer. Just like it will be hard to replace me, it’s going to be equally, if not more, difficult to replace him. But Gary is going to have to keep him drugged up if he has any hope of getting better. He won’t be able to do his job until that happens.”

 

“But first, Brandon has to want to get better Sunshine. And by the looks of what happened here today, he won’t.

 

 

 

 

PART XII~EXACTING A POUND OF FLESH~ by Nichelle Wellesly

PART XII~EXACTING A POUND OF FLESH~


After Brian checked on a few key accounts, and introduced Justin to Murph and the Art Department, he took Justin by the hand and led him out of Kinnetik. Harry opted to stay behind and get a firsthand look at how things were run in legal. Although he had a hand in creating the initial contracts for Kinnetik when it first started, alongside Melanie, it had been years since he had been involved. He was curious to see on paper, how the company had grown from domestic to now a global force to be reckoned with. That was fine with Brian and Justin, as it had already been a trying day and it wasn’t even halfway over. He could tell that Justin was still a bit shaken up from the episode with Brandon and decided that some comfort food was in order. Since most of the eateries around Kinnetik were so close, Brian decided that the best thing for them to do was walk.


“Feel like going to the Diner, Sunshine?”


“Not really, but I guess now is as good a time as any.”


“Well tell me how you really feel, Justin…”


“I apologize, Brian. It’s not you. It’s just… well, I don’t think I can handle all the questions and sly speculations right now. I might take someone’s head off just for daring to imply...”


“Imply what?”


Justin took a deep breath before answering. “That the only reason I’m with you, is for what I can get out of you. Whereas, yes, we have a contract between us right now, it still has nothing to do with the fact that I am enjoying your company.”


“So this is about…”


“Your reputation, Brian. Yes, I know that you are known as the Stud of Liberty Avenue. If Michael didn’t confirm it for me that you were that Brian Kinney, I may never have put two and two together.”


“So, it’s going to bother you to be seen in public with me?” Brian asks, getting a little upset. But whether it was at Michael’s litany or at Justin’s thoughts about it, he wasn’t sure.


“Not at all. You’re an amazing person, Brian. I feel privileged that I’m one of the few getting to know you outside of your supposed infamy. But it won’t stop people from saying shit they shouldn’t, and today is the day that I’m more apt to punch someone in the mouth if they come out of it wrong.”


Suddenly, Brian knew exactly who he was speaking about. “Don’t worry, Justin. I don’t think Michael or Lindsay are there. But even if they are, I promise not to let you spend even a half hour within a jail cell for decking them. Hell, I might even do it for you with the way I’m feeling right now. Either way though, I don’t think Debbie will let them speak a word against you.”


“But what about you? For some unexplained reason, I feel quite protective of you.”


“The feeling seems to be mutual, Justin.” Both men grew quiet at Brian’s revelation. There wasn’t a doubt in Justin’s mind that Brian was telling the truth. After all, look what’s he’s done with Craig and Marlene, by standing up for and with Justin against them.


“The point is that you shouldn’t have to even be willing to stand there and get ragged on for being with me.”  


Brian looked over at his companion and what he saw there made his heart go out to the young man. In the few short days they’d known each other, it was just one drama after the next. Between Craig and Marlene, discovering Molly was married, someone trying to have Molly kidnapped, and then the fuckery of Michael and Lindsay, Brian couldn’t really blame Justin for feeling overwhelmed right now. Hell, Brian felt a little out of sorts himself, but if they were really going to do this, he knew they had to start as they meant to go on. And the largest part of that was going to the Diner for lunch.


Brian wanted to do something to ease the young man’s troubled mind, at least in this moment. So he swung Justin around to face him. Not hesitating for even a second, he swooped down and captured the plushest lips he’d ever kissed. At first, the action was met with resistance, but Brian could feel the exact moment that Justin gave in. Brian pressed his lips against Justin’s until the younger man had to gasp. Taking full advantage of Justin’s need to breathe, Brian slipped his tongue inside. A soft moan escaped Justin at the first teasing touch against his bottom lip. As one kiss melded into another, both men found it almost impossible to keep some semblance of control. The longer they connected in this way, the more the heat ratcheted up. They were just about to hit Supernova when a harsh throat-clearing next to where they were standing sounded.


“Justin, Sweetie, you might not want to start that particular climb out here,” Emmett said, laughter in his voice. “You might cause a riot. Between the fact that most men want to jump Brian’s bones, and the unhindered vision of your hind parts clad in that suit, you two are bound to start a fuckfest right here in front of the Diner.”


“What are you doing here, Honeycutt?” Brian asks, still a little dazed, and angry from having the kiss cut short.


“Preventing free porn, first and foremost. If you two are going to fuck in public, people should pay for the privilege of watching. But secondly, it’s to tell you that Deb said to get your asses into the building.”


“Well, Sunshine. I suppose we’d better get in there. It’s not like we can put this off any longer. Besides, you told Deb that we’ve been involved for a while, so…”


“Well if I may, I’ll say that the kiss I saw along with everyone else spoke of a long familiarity. I’ve always believed that passion is passion, whether cultivated over years or there from the onset. You and the Big Bad here, have it in spades.” Emmett grinned as he watched Brian and Justin during his little pep talk. The scorching looks passing between them would be hard to miss, even to a blind man. “Well come along, kiddies. Let’s satisfy a little curiosity, shall we?”


Emmett led Brian and Justin into the Diner, keeping up a steady stream of conversation, even as the patrons quieted down while being passed by the trio. Justin couldn’t help but notice some of the looks they got: shock, envy, confusion… those were just a few of the looks that graced the many faces of the onlookers. But when they got to Debbie, hers was one of intense scrutiny.


“So Brian, how did you meet Sunshine here?” she asks, hands on her ample hips. “And why am I only just hearing about this relationship now?”


As Brian got ready to retort with one of his usual remarks, he felt the small hand of his partner stay him. “Deb, Brian and I already told you that we met awhile ago, but if you must know, we met at home.”


“Home?”


“Yes. It turns out that I live in the last occupied loft remaining in the building on Tremont. As I have been away, Brian and I couldn’t settle matters ending with him owning the entire building.”


“But what does that have to do with how you met?”


“Well there are any number of ways that could have happened. There was the elevator, the laundry room, the lobby in the front of the building… all of which are ways that we could have met up. But the actual details of how we did are something we prefer to keep private, much as we have so far. Okay, Deb?”


“You heard him, Sis. Let Brian and his young man alone,” Vic says, chuckling at the put-upon expression on his nosy sibling’s face. “Anyway, I know that your name isn’t Sunshine, even if it does suit you. My name’s Vic and who might you be?”


Justin smiled and took the proffered hand. “My name is Justin Taylor, sir. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”


“Ah, I detect WASP, Brian. Am I right?”


“Most certainly Vic, and he has already gone against the other one still in our lives for the moment. I’m happy to report his stinger is much bigger and better aimed though,” Brian said with a naughty wiggle to his eyebrows. He had to admit that he really liked to see Justin blush. On other men, he may have found the trait annoying, but on his blond, fair-skinned companion, it was plain adorable.


“Brian, please behave,” Justin pleaded, much to the amusement of the others.


“Nope. Not in my nature. Besides, I’m standing here wondering if you’re pink all over, instead of just the cheeks on your face.”


“Hey, the bathroom’s over there in case you’ve forgotten, Brian. Let me know what you find out,” Vic said, chuckling.


“Victor Grassi!” Deb reprimands, but he just shook his head.


“Old, not cold, Deb. A well-seasoned man can dream of young tenderloin if he so chooses.”


“Oh my god, I’m never going to look at tenderloin the same way again,” Emmett laments, but is laughing.


“There are worse things, trust me,” Vic snarks before sobering. “So have you two heard anything else about the latest round of the Lindsay Blues?”


“Mel is doing some checking, but there actually may be a third party involved here, too,” Brian tells them.


“My, my, she sure gets around, doesn’t she?” Debbie said, rolling her eyes. “So who is the third possible mystery man?”


Brian looked at Emmett and Justin, who in turn just shrugged. “Might as well tell her all of the theories, Brian. If anyone could badger the truth out of him, she can,” Emmett answered.


“What? What are you talking about? Badger the truth from whom?” Deb squawks. They could all tell that she’s been chomping at the bit for any information she could glean from this whole mess. They’ve deliberately kept her in the dark about most of the details so far, but now they had to let her in on some stuff in order to turn her loose on Michael.


“We need you to talk to Michael,” Justin stated calmly.


“What? Why? Brian, you’re his best friend. You talk to him.”


“No, Deb. That’s not a good idea for several reasons, but mainly because he’ll find a way to make this all about the fact that Brian and I are together and will withhold important information out of spite. We need to know when he decided to basically take up residence at the loft while Brian was on his business trip, and if, when he had arrived, had Maria been there already,” Justin tells her.


“What does that have to do with anything?”


“It will kind of give us an idea of when Lindsay was inside of the loft, if at all. If Michael was there, she wouldn’t have been there long. Also, if Maria had cleaned the loft before Michael came, it would explain…”


Vic gasped then. “Brian, you think he might have had someone over? Or that he may have used a condom all the other times except the day you arrived home?” At Brian and Justin’s nod, he continued his train of thought. “Well it would certainly explain a few things.”


“What? What things? Will you all stop talking in fucking riddles and get to the fucking point?!” Deb yelled, clearly out of patience.


“Debbie, remember the reason I told you that Brian and Michael barely speak anymore?” Emmett asks her. At her look of disgust, they all could tell she did, so he continued. “Well the theory is that if Maria had gone to the loft when she was supposed to, which was very early the morning Brian left for Chicago, than Lindsay wouldn’t have been able to pull a condom from the garbage bin since Brian actually went home early and alone from Babylon the night before. Mel found the paperwork that she had forgotten she’d signed just after Lindsay had given birth to Gus. Since Lindsay was suffering from Postpartum psychosis for a time, Melanie exercised her power of attorney in all of Lindsay’s medical care, which included having the extras of Brian’s samples on record destroyed when the clinic called to ask about it.”


“So that means even if she entered the loft and stole a condom out of any of the trash bins, it still wouldn’t have been mine,” Brian finishes, waiting for what he said to register with Debbie.


“You think… but… oh my god, he can’t even take care of the one he’s got!” Debbie yells. “I’m gonna fucking kill him!”


“No, you’re not. You’re going to remain calm and simply ask him if Maria had come to the loft before he tried to move in or afterwards. Then you are going to let me know and let Mel and I handle it.”


“But…”


“No buts, Ma. This has to be handled by Mel and I. The welfare of both Gus and Jenny depends on it.”


Debbie sighed deeply. “Okay, but I expect to be kept in the loop. No more of this sneaky shit the two of you have been doing for however long you have been doing it!”


“Okay, but only on the stuff pertaining to this. Everything else stays between me and Brian.”


“So that means you’re sticking around, Sunshine?”


Justin looked at Brian, liking the sparkle in the hazel eyes directed towards him. He knew that with Debbie’s acquiesce, they had just passed the ‘partners’ test. “Yeah. I think I’ve finally been given a good enough reason to put down some roots.” And with that, Justin stood on tiptoe, bringing his and Brian’s lips together in a heated exchange.


“That’s right, people,” Emmett gloated. “Now run and tell that!”   


~LS~


Ben sat in his office within the house he used to call a home in shock. He had received a phone call from Michael, basically ordering him to come down to the police station to bail him out after Brian had him arrested for trespassing. And Ben had been extremely close to doing it… until he received that fateful call from Melanie.


“Hi, Ben. Are you sitting down?” She asked by way of greeting. He had been gathering his things: car keys, jacket, wallet with his identification and atm card.


“Not exactly. I just got a call from Michael, from the police station. Something about Brian having him arrested.”


“Yeah, he and Lindsay decided to invite themselves to ‘wait’ at Kinnetik for Brian to return there. Cynthia called Brian to let him know of the disturbance.”


“Disturbance? Since when does Brian consider Michael and Lindsay a mere disturbance?”


She sighed heavily in his ear. “Look, Ben. There are factors about this whole situation that you don’t know. No doubt, Michael only told you what he wanted you to know, like he always does. He’s not innocent in any of this. Tell you what… Are you at home or the office at CMU and do you have access to a fax machine in either place?”


He was puzzled by the question but answered anyway. “I’m at the house and yeah, the fax machine is turned on. It’s on a separate line from the house phone.”


“Good, let me have the number and I’ll forward you some information that’s going to make matters all too clear for you real quick.”


He waited as the fax came through… all thirty-six pages of printed material that at first, he didn’t understand. “Mel, what the hell is all of this? I don’t have time to look through it! Michael is in jail.”


“I know, since I was with Brian when he got the call. And if you ask me, Michael and Lindsay should stay there!”  At the start of Ben’s protests, she cut him off. “Ben, look at the documents. They are financial records, which include copies of cancelled checks. Pay specific attention to the memo section of the checks.”


Ben did as she asked, growing confused, and then angrier by the second. Grabbing his calculator, Ben quickly tallied up the minuscule amounts of the child support checks. Over the course of eight years, Michael had only sent a total of three hundred dollars for the continual care of Jenny Rebecca. Yet, when tallying the amounts of the checks in Lindsay’s name, Michael had spent a total of fifteen thousand dollars over the last year alone. He gasped as he took a closer look at the checks for Lindsay.


“You mean to tell me that he used the money I was giving him for the store and for child support to pay for some fucking P.I. at Lindsay’s behest? To what purpose?!”


Melanie laughed bitterly, the sound chilling Ben from the inside. He had never heard such a sound come from the lawyer in all the years he’d known her. “To what purpose do you think, Ben? Ever since Brian bought the manor, Michael and Lindsay went into hyperdrive, trying to figure out where he was going, what he was doing and whom he was doing it with...”


“But he sold the house…”


“That’s what we all thought, Ben. But the P.I.’s report that arrived a few days ago confirmed that Brian still has the house. Although Michael and Lindsay don’t know that, since I kicked her out before it was delivered.”


“You kicked her out?”


“Yeah, Lindsay’s penchant for dick had her fucking Sam Auerbach in my bed while the children were playing downstairs. I had already overlooked her indiscretion, such as it was, with the curator of the museum where she worked part-time, before she was fired by the man’s wife.”


“Oh Mel, I’m sorry. I had no idea…”


“That Lindsay was and is a dick-hounding whore? Well she had us all fooled with that Mother Earth persona, but she now she’s pregnant and looking to be financially supported by…”


“Brian?! What is it about that guy? Fuck!”


“I used to think the same way you are right now, Ben. But I have to tell you that none of this is his fault. In fact, he’s involved with a young man who looks to be sticking around for awhile.”


Ben laughed. “If Brian is in a relationship, I just turned into the fucking Pope.”


“Nice to meet you, Your Excellency.”


“You’re serious?! Since when?!”


“I don’t know all the particulars, but suffice it to say, that it’s the real deal. I’m in the process of moving back to the Pitts as we speak and picking up in the law firm where I was before making the disastrous move to Canada. Although I hate to admit it, and will never admit it to him, Brian was right when he uttered his parting words to me.”


“What were they?”


“He told me ‘don’t fuck up’. I didn’t understand it at the time, but now I do. He was telling me in his own way not to let Lindsay pin her shit on me, which she did the first time she cheated. She made it all about the things I wasn’t doing, although I was pregnant with Jenny at the time. Well, she had no excuse this time, especially since Sam couldn’t have known where we lived or gotten her new number if she hadn’t given him the information. Same with the curator. So I’m going to say the same thing to you, Ben. Don’t fuck up! Don’t let Michael somehow make you think that you owe him anything, except a swift and stiff kick in his ass! Michael and Lindsay deserve each other.”


Ben sat there and absorbed all Melanie had told him as he reached over to pull some papers he’d just received out of the bottom drawer. Looking them over, he was now glad they came, even if they were a surprise in the first place. “Mel, I need you to do something for me.”


“Anything. As long as it’s legal.”


“Michael has done me one of the best favors he could have ever done in his life. Six months ago, he applied to the Canadian government to have our marriage dissolved. I didn’t know about it when he’d done it, and it certainly was a shock to received the papers in the mail yesterday while he was missing in action. Can you draw up civil litigation papers for me to sue Michael for every dime of money he has used to fund his inch-high private eye endeavors, as well as the rent I paid on his store over the years. Really, since I know he won’t be able to afford any of it once I remove all of my money from the joint account, I want the one thing that means the most to him.”


“You can’t have Brian.”


Ben laughed. “Been there, done that, and rode the cock all night. So no, it’s not Brian I want again; although he was beyond an excellent fuck. No, what I want is the entire contents of Red Cape Comics. I already took care of everything he had stashed here that he thinks I still don’t know about. Hunter found them as we were cleaning out the attic and the garage. Do you know the fucker had a vault- an actual vault- installed inside the cellar?! Well, I already had Hunter list all of his secret stash on E-bay, and we’ve already made a pretty penny on the items I wasn’t supposed to know about. Since it’s only my name on the mortgage and he has never contributed to the financial management of the household, and since it was my money that bought those items that were here in the house, I basically issued myself a refund, with interest. Let’s see what happens with the rest.”


“Ben, he’s going to shit himself when he finds out what you did,” she warned him.


“That’s not all he’s going to do in a little while. I have to drop something off at the police station for him. Can you have those papers ready for me within the hour so I can pick them up on my way there?”


“Sure, I’ll have the paralegal at Harry’s firm file the petition electronically. Although it still has to receive an official court date, the good news is that it will issue a docket number automatically after the information is entered into the system. You’re sure you want to go through with this?”


“Mel, after Brian’s last trip to Chicago and another argument about Hunter, Brian arrived home to find Michael naked in his bed. I found the stained silk sheets and matching duvet buried in our closet with Michael’s scent on them. When I asked about them, Ted told me exactly what happened. This was before I received the papers for divorce in the mail. So yes, I’m completely sure that there is nothing left for Michael here. And since we were not legally wed in the States, nor did we file a domestic partnership agreement, I don’t owe Michael anything. We all know that he’s going to expect that he be taken care of and that I will be forced to support him. He’s about to find out just how wrong he is. But never doubt that I am taking care of him; it’s just not in the manner he bargained for!”


After he hung up the phone with Mel and got over his initial shock about the information he’d received via an in-depth conversation and a very informative fax, Ben walked upstairs, gathering every piece and parcel of what remained of Michael Novotny within the home he and Hunter shared. Stuffing clothes- both clean and dirty-, shoes and other personal effects, including the loud cymbal-clapping monkey and those worthless tin robots Michael valued so much, into garbage bags. He then loaded the trash bags into his car and drove to meet Melanie at Harry Donaldson’s law office. As promised, Mel greeted him with the latest docket to enter the Allegheny County Judicial system in hand. He thanked her, and it wasn’t long before he was hauling Michael’s personal effects into the precinct. He had asked to see Michael and was granted access into one of the interrogation rooms for his audience.


As he waited, he thought of all the times he had tried to be a good husband to Michael; all the times he had covered for the idiot brunet’s fuckups. He had a feeling that Melanie had been doing the same type of soul-searching he did, and found the roles they were mandated to play by Michael and Lindsay something akin to spousal abuse. The door opened and Michael came through, still shackled. As he was being cuffed to the chair sitting opposite Ben, Michael scowled at him and the officer who refused to leave the room.


“Well? When am I getting out of here?” Michael demanded to know.


Ben swallowed hard at the tone, forcing himself to remain calm when all he really wanted to do was something that would get him into a jail cell of his own. He couldn’t believe how willfully dumb and blind he had been to all Michael said and tried to do. Clearing his throat, he answered, “You’re not.”


“What the fuck do you mean you’re not?’ Ben, I thought I told you…”


“That’s the thing, Michael. You told me; you didn’t ask. And frankly, I got sick of hearing that entitled tone coming from your mouth when you have absolutely nothing.”


“What do you mean by that? You’re my husband! It’s your duty to take care of me in my times of need. And I need to get the fuck out of here!”


Ben laughed harshly. “Husband? Are you sure?”


“Yes, yes of course I’m sure. I did you the honor of marrying you, remember?”


Ben barely contained his snicker at the self-righteous tone before replying. “Interesting choice of words, since I feel the opposite. I feel like you did me the honor of divorcing me. The dissolution packet arrived yesterday from Canada, and not a moment too soon if you ask me.” He took great satisfaction in seeing Michael’s eyes widen at his pronouncement.


“Ben, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it. I was just mad…”


“Yeah, yeah. It’s always ‘I’ with you, isn’t it Michael? Well now it’s about me and Hunter, and we don’t want you! When you’re finally released from here, if you’re released at all, you’ll need to find someplace else to stay. Your things are already waiting for you here at the precinct. Oh, and you’ll need these papers as well.” Ben looked to the officer, who came over for them. He handed over the papers so that the officer could peruse them before turning them over to Michael.


“What the hell are these?” Michael frowned as he scanned the documents. “Civil litigation papers? What? Wait… you’re suing me?!”


“Sure am,” Ben retorted calmly. “You see, I have a big problem spending eighteen grand without a plausible explanation. Sure, three-hundred of that figure only went to Jenny, but the rest of it went to Lindsay, to hire a private investigator to keep tabs on Brian.”


“How…”


“How do I know? How did I find out?” Ben laughed. “That’s for me to know and you to find out, but if you look closely at the name of the attorney who is representing me, I’m sure you’ll have your answer.”


Michael did as Ben told him, turning an unholy shade of white from fear, then red from embarrassment, and finally purple with rage. “Melanie?! You’re doing this because of some trumped up shit she made up because Lindsay left her?!”


“No. Actually, I’m doing this because of you. Mel just provided legal advice and the documents she had to back up her claims. What do you have to refute them? And don’t say your word, because we both know you have selective amnesia when it comes to the truth!”


“Ben…”


“Don’t, Michael. It’s over, and I suggest you look at the documents and read them carefully, not that it will matter much. I mean, once this goes in front of a judge and he or she takes a look at all the evidence against you, the case will be over as quickly as it starts.” He gets up and smiles at Michael. “Enjoy your stay at Club Criminal and have a nice day. In fact, have a nice life, Mr. Novotny. I know I will!”

 

And with that Ben left the room and precinct, feeling lighter than he ever had since ever meeting Michael Novotny.   

 

 

PART XIII ~DO NOT PASS GO~ by Nichelle Wellesly

PART XIII ~DO NOT PASS GO~


“So how do you want to play this?” Craig asked his wife. They had been stuck in the same hotel suite since the previous evening. Neither got much rest as they had laid awake planning their revenge on Justin and the man he was with. Craig refused to believe that there was more than a passing acquaintance between the two men.


“Well, with that little whore being preggers, that puts a new light on everything, doesn’t it? Do you think Laurent will trade targets? I mean, by all accounts he is bisexual, and the main goal all along is that he has your child as payment. What if he instead focuses on Justin? Unlike Molly, he doesn’t have the clout of well-to-do people backing him like she does. If Molly goes missing, it will point to us without doubt. But with Justin… well he hasn’t been around for a long time. It would be nothing for everyone to assume he’d gone to ground again, right?”


Craig weighed Marlene’s opinion carefully. There was no doubt that Craig held Justin responsible for all of their plans being thwarted where Molly was concerned, and that he should accept some responsibility for that. But to give him to Laurent in Molly’s place? “What assurances do we have that Justin hasn’t amassed his own network of high-powered friends? I mean, like you said, he’s been gone a long time.”


“But Darling, he was just a lowly dancer in a traveling dance troupe. Granted, the boy must have had some talent to be part of that particular set, but I can’t imagine that outside of those wretched Sheltons and Donaldsons, that Justin has managed to make any other notable friends.”


“Are we forgetting about the Chartrez family? And from what I’ve been researching about that buster, Brian Kinney, he isn’t a slouch in the political clout department either!” Craig took a deep breath and sighed. “Let’s face it, Marlene, Justin and Malinda are well out of our reach. To go after them now would be committing suicide, both financially and socially.”


“Puff and nonsense, Craig! Where is the man I married? The man who didn’t play by anyone else’s rules? The man who intended to rule his kingdom, especially that bitch’s litter, with an iron fist? If Molly wasn’t pregnant, we could have her marriage annulled. As it is, the man was her professor at one time. Isn’t there some kind of ethics code within universities that frown upon that sort of thing. A comment to the right people will have that little bitch cowed, and basically in the position she was destined for in the first place- as some man’s live-in whore, even if it isn’t Laurent’s. As for Justin… well, if Laurent is bi as we think he is, then this would be the perfect trade off. Undoubtedly the boy is as beautiful as his sister, and probably as effeminate, too. He’s probably submissive even now to Kinney. Which is probably the only reason why the brunet would want him. He would certainly make the prime candidate to work off our debt to Laurent.”


Craig’s response was interrupted by a forceful knock on the door just before it was opened by a card in the lock. The ready protests from both the occupants died on their lips as the police flooded the room. Craig narrowed his eyes as a familiar shadow darkened the doorway, although he couldn’t place the face of the man making his way towards them.


“Craig and Marlene Taylor, you are both under arrest for violation of restraining orders issued in favor of Justin Taylor and Malinda Taylor-Callahan.”


“What the hell is the meaning of this? And who the fuck are you?!” Craig spewed, even as Marlene hid behind him.


The laugh that burst forth was hearty but there was no mirth in it. “I’m surprised you don’t remember me, Craig. After all, my ex-wife was Jennifer’s cousin.” He smiled wide at the gasp that burst forth at his pronouncement. “But to refresh your faulty memory, I’m Detective Carl Horvath. I was also the arresting officer some years ago of the she-wolf hiding herself behind you.”


“Then, I will be appealing to your superiors. This is a blatant conflict of interests on your part,” Craig said, all bravado.


“On the contrary, Craig. I’ve already spoken to my superiors regarding this matter, and they agreed that I was the right one to make the arrests since I am familiar with the inner workings of this case as well as the others pending against the both of you. Now, you have the right to remain silent…”


“Bullshit! We will not remain silent! This is clearly harassment!” Marlene shrieked, causing all movement within the hotel room to stop.


“Really? Were you or were you not informed of the restraining orders upon your release from the Women’s Correctional Facility some years ago?”


“Of course I was, but shouldn’t those have been lifted by now? I mean, Justin and Malinda are adults and not the helpless children they claimed to be when they had me falsely imprisoned.” She narrowed her eyes at Carl.


“Age had nothing to do with it then, and it certainly doesn’t now. Every year since they left your care, they have had the order renewed. So to answer your nonsensical question, no, the orders weren’t lifted, and by your antics both last night and the conversation we overheard, it’s a good thing they weren’t. So, as I was saying… Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be provided to you. Do you both understand these rights?”


“Wait! You said that you overheard our conversation?” Craig questioned.


“Indeed, we have. In fact, it’s all on tape, including a phone call that you placed, Marlene.”


“Phone call? What phone call?!” Craig exploded.


Her face flushed and she bowed her head, allowing herself to be handcuffed in the process. “I think I will take that option to remain silent now.”


“Marlene?”


“Craig, not now. Just remember that I love you, and that’s why I made that call.”


Carl laughed. “Funny, but didn’t you say the same thing to Antonio Laurent not even three hours ago? I guess a woman’s love is truly fickle when it is as self-serving as yours, huh Marlene? Get her out of here.” Carl then turned to Craig after watching his wife be led away. “You know, I would almost feel sorry for you. After all, you were so close to letting your useless and wrongful vendetta against your children go. But the fact that you were willing to sacrifice their well-being for your own selfish reasons… well, my inclination towards sympathy just isn’t set up that way. A charge of conspiracy to commit kidnapping and unlawful detainment is also being added to both yours and Marlene’s list of charges. Congratulations, Craig. You’ve finally hit rock bottom. Take him away.”


Carl watched in silence, letting the relief flood him at sight of Craig Taylor’s retreating back. The problem with Justin and Molly’s parents was resolved for the moment, but the advent of a new problem was only just beginning. Although Marlene’s suggestion of trading Justin for Molly was out there, for now it was only that… a suggestion. They would have to watch and see what moves Laurent would take in either direction before deciding how to proceed; whether the crime boss would acknowledge that the contract between him and the idiotic Taylors was now null and void, or if he would be desperate and stupid enough to go after Justin Taylor in exchange for Molly’s freedom. So even though he was going to go against protocol and warn Justin, Brian, and their supporters of the impending danger, it was still a fucking waiting game. And if nothing else, Carl hated those with a passion.


~LS~


Lindsay looked upon Michael’s downtrodden expression smugly as he sat down heavily on the bench beside her. “I thought you were posting bail?” she smirked, barely suppressed a chuckle at the baleful look he threw her.


“Obviously not.”


“Well why not? I heard Ben was here to see you. Surely, he’s forgiven you by now?”


“No. And I really don’t want to talk about it or hear your bitchy comments right now, okay Lindsay?”


“Sorry,” she said, even though she was anything but. “I was just trying to make conversation.”


“Yeah, well don’t. Especially since this is all your fault!”


“My fault? What the hell are you talking about?” Lindsay exploded, all pretense of patience and sympathy gone.


“The fact that your bitchy, butchy ex is representing Ben!”


“Representing him, how?”


“He’s suing me for eighteen grand!”


“But you don’t have that kind of money! What the hell did you do?”

 

He rolled his eyes at her before looking away. “I bought into your bullshit about hiring that fucking private eye, that’s what. I had to send minimal support to Jenny to join you in keeping tabs on Brian...”


“That was your choice, not mine.”


“Yeah, but if you hadn’t suggested it in the first place…”


“Oh no you don’t, Michael. You will not put this all on me and pretend that you didn’t benefit from it as well.”


“I didn’t say that!”


“No, but you are implying it.” She narrowed her eyes at him, staring him down until he looked away. “So what did Ben say?”


“What was left to say after he handed me the civil litigation papers, but that the Canadian divorce decree came in the mail yesterday?”


“Oh Michael, I told you that was a bad idea until you were sure of your back-up plan. But surely now your way to Brian is clear…”


“No, it isn’t. Instead, it’s stuck up the ass of that fucking blond he was with earlier. While I was still sitting in the interrogation room after Ben hightailed his tall ass out of there, I heard whispers.”


“Whispers? What kind of whispers?” Lindsay asked, barely keeping the shrill out of her voice.


“Apparently, Brian is involved heavily with Justin Taylor, and according to the rumors, they’ve been involved for some time.”


“But that’s impossible. Surely we would have heard as much from the private detective before now.”


“I don’t know, Lindz. I mean, he was taking a lot of out of town trips, saying that it was business. But was it really? You saw them together… it’s like neither of us existed, or anyone else for that matter, except for the two of them.”


“Michael, Michael, Michael… it was a game. Only just a little game Brian was playing. It had to be, otherwise…” Lindsay trailed off, replaying the two scenes with Brian and the blond in her mind.


“Otherwise, we’re in here for nothing!”


Lindsay shook her head. She refused to believe that. “Look, I’ve called Sam at the hotel. I hope he’ll be along to post bail soon. Once I’m out of here, I’ll make some inquiries as to the history of the blond. I don’t know where I’ve seen him before, but it certainly wasn’t around Brian. Besides, he’s not his type.”


“Yeah, he normally goes for brunets like me, who just happen to be gym bunnies. You know, I’ve always thought…”


“I know exactly what you thought, Michael,” Lindsay said, her voice full of disdain. It always amazed her that Michael continued to believe he was some sort of prized catch. Sure, he was attractive in that boy-next-door sort of way, but Brian had never been attracted to that type. He'd always lusted after the physique of a man. In truth, the men he usually favored resembled himself instead of Michael's awkward build. But when it came to coherent conversations and not those involving comics, he'd always preferred talking with her as opposed to Michael of the Mickey Mouse voice. Clearing her throat of the tone, she softened her features. “But now, he’s gone for someone more like me, in a sense.”


Michael laughed. “What the hell are you talking about?”


“His latest find is more refined in features than well... you. Sure he’s young, but I would bet this baby I'm carrying that the boy is WASP. Hmm… maybe a call to my parents is in order. I mean, they certainly know the who’s who of our set. If he was born and bred Country Club, they would know.”


“And what does that have to do with anything?”


Lindsay shook her head. Could the man be any more dense? she thought, as she mentally answered her own question in the affirmative. Taking note of his expectant look, she decided to answer him. “The first rule in any war, Michael, is to know your enemy. If it is as I suspect, then that boy, Justin, has secrets. And those secrets, placed in the right ears, will destroy any association with Brian faster than we can blink. After all, Brian Kinney is all about appearances, isn’t he?”


A slow smile curled Michael’s lips, and suddenly Lindsay was reminded of the Joker from the Batman cartoons that Gus used to favor. She shook her head of the thought, thinking that it was high time to get out of the moron’s presence. Sure she was saying all the things Michael longed to hear for now about how Brian would be his. It kept her main rival close to her. But as soon as she was able to find out what she needed about Justin Taylor and removed him from Brian’s orbit, then and only then, would it be time to take care of the imbecile beside her. For now though, she needed Michael as an ally, so she would bide her time and play into his fantasies that he would ever be the one for Brian Kinney. But first, it was time to take care of the little asshole who thought he could out-WASP her.


“Peterson, you’ve posted bail,” the guard called out from the cell doorway.


“Be strong, Michael. I’ll be back to visit when I can.” She jumped up as fast as her burgeoning belly would allow her. “And for the love of God, keep your ears open, but your mouth shut! If this is going to work, we need the element of surprise. Don’t fuck it up before we’ve even started. Understand?”


“Yes, Lindsay. Meanwhile, can you tell my mother I’m here? I’m sure she will post bail for me.”

 

“Will do,” Lindsay lied easily as she alighted from the cell. She smiled upon hearing the satisfying clang behind her. Oh poor little Justin, your days with my husband-to-be are numbered. Don’t get too comfortable!

 

PART XIV ~DO NOT COLLECT~ by Nichelle Wellesly

PART XIV ~DO NOT COLLECT~


Lindsay walked regally towards the front of the precinct following behind the officer, still mentally laughing at the despondent look on Michael’s face as the cell door clanged shut. It dawned her that he had actually taken at least partial responsibility for his own stupidity in regards to the private detective. Sure she had suggested that they needed to know what Brian was up to, but it was still ultimately his decision whether to help her fund their mission or not. It also helped that he did because the P.I. was based out of Pittsburgh, so that if she had a message she needed to get to him, Michael was local and could deliver her orders without leaving a paper trail. That was especially helpful regarding Brian’s business trips. But somehow they had all missed the supposed advent of Justin Taylor on Brian’s horizon, and that was simply not to be borne. As soon as she was out of here, she would reach out to the detective and get answers as to how that tidbit of information was missed.


Upon entering the main area, Lindsay took a moment to inhale the stale aroma. She would never understand how people could work in an environment such as this. It was not only dreary, with its soft white walls and gray file cabinets, but the absolutely dreadful absence of clean fresh air left a lot to be desired. The dust particles dancing upon the breeze from the small portal of the precinct’s open door didn’t help any; just seemed to shift the smell of desperation from one end of the room to the other, even as the mix of patrons, cops, and criminals kept up a steady pace of moving from pillar to post. Lindsay inhaled quickly, causing her to cough slightly. The action served its purpose, which was to bring tears to her eyes as they alighted on her rescuer.


“Oh, Sam! Thank God, you’ve come!” She said as she reached for the scruffy man.


“Yeah, well Kid, it’s a good thing I was still there before your baby daddy had me unceremoniously tossed out.”


“What are you talking about? Brian wouldn’t do…” She trailed off as she noticed the mound of luggage sitting at their feet. “I don’t understand.”


“Of course, you don’t!” he yelled at her. “But apparently, there is something you knew but didn’t bother to tell me, which is that the suite we were staying in was on retainer from Brian Kinney’s company. His accountant was almost gleeful in that and the other information he imparted when he showed up unannounced at the hotel room’s door.”


“What other information?” Lindsay asked, trying to keep the panic from her voice. Fucking Ted, better not had…


“So what did the doctor say, Lindsay?” Sam regarded her sternly. “That is where you were last night, and not out looking for your little bastard, right?”


“Don’t call my son a bastard!” she yelled back, before lowering her voice. She absolutely hated public displays, and their disagreement was fast becoming the hot topic within the 111th precinct. Taking a calming breath, she asked, “Look, Sam, can we go somewhere else and talk about this rationally? This atmosphere and these people are making me a bit nauseous. I haven’t eaten yet,” she hinted, trying to call up the ‘protective’ gene she knew must have been hidden within Sam.


“Sure we can, but we need to stop by the ATM in the corner first.”


“Why?”


“Because as much as I care for you, Lindsay, paying for your stupidity was never an expense I planned to have. Your bail was five-hundred; I brought your purse with me .” He held her gaze steady as he read the shock in her eyes. He almost smiled as the thought ‘Guess she never expected me to demand my money back, huh?’ crossed his mind. He always did admire Lindsay’s gumption and entitled ways, but this time she took it a step too far.


She huffed as she snatched her purse from him, mumbling, “Guess chivalry is dead, right?”


“Chivalry is one thing, but stupidity would be me paying the price for you chasing after another man. Mr. Schmidt was very enlightening and forthcoming.”


“Oh? And just what did Ted have to say?” She halted her progress to the ATM machine in the hopes that she could forestall paying him back and redirect Sam’s attention to the most important matter at hand.


Sam shook his head at Lindsay’s obvious attempt at procrastination. “I’ll tell you after you get my money. Let’s just call it a payment for a service rendered… much like I’ve been doing for you since we reconnected almost a year ago.”


“Sam…”


“Now, Lindz. You’re not getting out of it.”


Lindsay rolled her eyes and hurried over to the machine. She searched through the cards but couldn’t find the three she thought to extract money from. As she began to shift the items in the pocketbook from side to side, wondering where those fucking cards were, she swallowed down the panic beginning to creep up from the pit of her stomach. It didn’t help that Sam was standing so close, that even if she wanted to, she wasn’t going to be able to put off the inevitable repayment. Realizing she was out of time, and Sam nearly out of patience with her, Lindsay pulled the card from her personal checking account out of her purse and slowly placed it into the card slot.


Withdrawing Sam’s payment and a little extra pocket change, Lindsay gasped. Fuck! That can’t be right?! She thought as she looked at the available balance of $314.00, staring back at her from the receipt. Prior to leaving Canada, Lindsay had transferred $8000.00 from Gus’ college fund to go along with the two thousand already in her checking account. She needed to get to First Savings Bank in Pittsburgh before the close of business today to find out just what the hell was going on with her account.


“Problem, Kid?”


“Uh, yes. It seems that some of the money from my account is missing. I can’t remember making any purchases prior to Melanie finding us in bed together.”


“Perhaps it’s the billing from your hospital stay is being held against your account ledger?”


“No.”


“What do you mean, ‘no’, Lindsay. I don’t know much about the inner workings of a hospital, but I do know that one of the first things they ask you for is your insurance or payment information. Hell, just to sign your name on the roster in the emergency room costs about a hundred dollars. Although they couldn’t deny you treatment by law, they certainly could delay your discharge until some sort of payment agreement is reached, even if it means billing you at a later time.”


“I left before being officially discharged,” she mumbled.


“What was that?”


“Well… um…,” she stammered before huffing harshly. “I left before the nurse came back with my discharge papers. In fact, it was right after the doctor came in with my test results. Melanie had canceled the little insurance we had, and… well, I just didn’t want to be billed when I had no way to pay for it,” she stated as she headed towards the exit door.


Sam laughed. “And isn’t that just like you, Lindsay.”


“What is that supposed to mean?” She narrowed her eyes at him.


“It means that rather than handle things the correct way, and as an adult should, you run.”


“You’re one to talk! You know we wouldn’t be standing here if you hadn’t spoken to Gus as you did,” she accused.


“Bullshit! We would still be standing here as we are right now because of a simple fact you can’t accept.”


“And that is?”


“That Brian Kinney does NOT want you! And you know what, Lindsay… neither do I; not anymore.”


“WHAT?! Sam...” The tears immediately sprung to her eyes.


“No. You don’t get to keep doing this, Lindsay. Your tears aren’t going to work on me this time. By the way, your luggage is inside of the precinct.” He turned away from her.


“Well, aren’t you going to go collect it?” she asked as she folded her arms across her breasts and tapped her foot.


“No, I’m not. I’m not your personal valet, Lindsay. And besides, I have a flight to catch.”


“A flight?” she asked, shock written on her face. “But where are we going? Do you have my passport?”


Sam chuckled again. “We are not going anywhere, but I am going home to Florence.”


“But Sam…”


“I’ve already spoken to Melanie. God, I am so sorry my association with you hurt that woman! Even though you’re a miserable and conniving bitch, she’s still a good one. Anyway, she said that she would keep me informed about the results of your pregnancy. Apparently, I’m not the only one who was in and around your twat.”


“What has that bitch been saying about me?!” The panic Lindsay was trying to tamp down before ratcheted up again at Sam’s pronouncement.


“Only that you were also screwing the museum curator you used to work for just before we reconnected. You didn’t think that Melanie really thought you broke it off with him, did you?”


“I don’t know where she got that crazy idea from. I haven’t seen Robert since after his wife joined us and subsequently fired me after finding out that the kids were there while…”


“You really are selfish, aren’t you?! Just all about getting your needs met regardless of where your children are!”


“Oh don’t you dare act so sanctimonious on me now, Sam. I mean, after all, the children were home when you showed up at the house in Canada and…”


“That makes me an uninformed asshole. I’ll admit that since I thought they were actually at school instead of in the basement playing. You could’ve stopped me, or at the very least, should have said something. So yes, I’ll admit to being wrong for my part in fucking you senseless while they were in close proximity, but that’s all. The rest is on you. But back to the matter at hand, there is also the fact that you entered Brian Kinney’s loft in the hopes that you would once again get ahold of his babymakers. But she also shared a little important tidbit of information with me about that, too.”


“What?” Lindsay asked piteously, seeing all the carefully laid plans she’d made since she first found out about the baby in her stomach turn to dust while she was powerless to stop it.


“That the whole ‘insemination’ story won’t fly with any of those in the know. First, she explained to me about your postpartum psychosis after your son was born. From what I gathered it was more like crazy bitch syndrome since you had just come out of childbirth and were already talking about having another one.”


“I don’t know what you nor she are talking about!”


“Bullshit, since you were trying to call the clinic to schedule another appointment to be inseminated again only a week after being discharged after the first one. After talking to the doctors at the hospital and your shrink- who you should really begin seeing again, by the way- it was decided to have the samples destroyed since it seemed the primary cause of your mental health issue centered around the fact that you were no longer pregnant. But that’s neither here nor there right now. In fact, whatever plans you were coming up with along with your little loudmouth imp in there, are neither here nor there, since none of them will ever come to fruition. And on that note, I have a plane to catch. Good luck, Kid.”


Sam walked off in the direction of the rental car she hadn’t even noticed until he reached it. Lindsay’s mind was reeling from all of the information he’d given her. She had so much to do to get Brian back in her corner where he belonged, beginning with getting rid of that fucking Taylor boy. But first things first, she needed to deal with Ted and Melanie and their big ass, fucking mouths! Pulling out her cell phone, she scrolled through the address book, hoping that she retained the number to Melanie’s old firm. It would do to put a word into Harry Donaldson’s ear about Mel’s tendency to breach confidentiality. So what, she wasn’t technically a client of her ex-wife’s. There should still be some law or code of ethics against spreading gossip and circumventing HIPPA laws. The hospital had no fucking right to call Melanie for ANYTHING! She was in her right mind, after all, so they shouldn’t have called her. After she dealt with Melanie and Ted, the very next order of business would be to update her hospital records, including taking that nosy bitch Debbie off as a contact. So what if the woman brought her in because of her minor fainting spell. It still didn’t give Debbie the right to talk about her personal business with Brian to Melanie, right?!


As Lindsay’s mind continued to race, she preened at the screen of her cell phone. But the expression was short-lived as the automated voice came over the line informing her that the service was suspended and that the only call able to be made from the device was that of 911. Slamming the fucking thing onto the ground in frustration, she marched back into the police station, determined to speak with Carl about the unfair treatment she was receiving in her delicate condition.


“Oh, Ms. Peterson. I’m glad you’ve come back to not only collect your things but…”


“Can you get Detective Horvath for me, please?” She cut him off in her impatience. She just wanted to get somewhere to eat and lie down immediately before trying to figure out her next move.


“Sorry,” the officer answered. “Carl is out of the office for the afternoon, but…”


“Well can you get someone else with some type of authority around here?! I want to lodge a few complaints and…”


“Lindsay Peterson, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law…” The officer narrowed his eyes and smiled at the same time.


“WHAT?! What the hell are you talking about?! I’ve done nothing wrong!”


“Sure you have, but right now the new charges are in reference to child endangerment and stalking. Also, the reason I needed you to come back was to hand you the restraining order that’s been filed against you by Mr. Brian Kinney. There is also one forthcoming from Ted Schmidt as well. So continue with your Miranda rights: You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you…” He continued reading her rights until they had arrived back at the cell she’d so recently vacated.


“What the fuck are you doing back here, Lindsay? Did you talk to Ma?”

“Shut up, Michael!” Lindsay ordered. “I want my fucking phone call, NOW!” she shouted at the officer, who just stood there laughing at her tone.

 

“You can have it after lunch, which is in about half an hour. In the meantime, I’m sure you and your cellmate have much to discuss. Enjoy!” He walked away whistling “Locked Up” by Akon, barely suppressing a chuckle, even as the door clanged shut on Novotny screeching out question after question, and Peterson’s sounds of frustration and fury.

 

~LS~

 

As Sam drove away, he couldn’t help but laugh. Lindsay really thought she was slick in all so many ways. It gave him great pleasure to tell Ted Schmidt where to look for the cards Lindsay hid away in her purse. He’d found them last night while he’d looked for any and all clues as to where she’d disappeared to. The trouble was, he really was worried about her. He cared for Lindsay Peterson in deep ways, and even now, it pissed him off how she’d played him for a fool. So when Ted Schmidt had shown up at the door of the Executive Suite, he was most eager for any information the Kinnetik accountant could give him.


What he had not expected to hear was the level of deceit with which Lindsay operated. Granted, he’d never been a saint or the most honest person, either. But he’d never gone into a relationship- be it business or personal- with the express purpose of controlling or hurting the people he professed to like or love. People just wanted different things than he did, and it caused the associations to end. It hurt, but he was fine with that in the long run. They healed and so did he. he'd worked hard not to leave any hard feelings behind that were unresolved. Sure, the art world was fickle, and a pissed off critic or curator couldn't be helped over the years. But still most couldn't fault him as a person simply because he wanted things the way he wanted when he wanted them in terms of his business. Any person who knew their worth, and marketed themselves as a brand acted the exact same manner. So a lot of his antics were overlooked or termed as tempermental. He was okay with that.

 

But the thing that upset him about Lindsay and her imp was that from what Ted had told him, Brian Kinney was willing to give them anything they wanted, except his heart and soul. Sam could understand that since he was also very careful with whom he let into his life. All it would take was a scorned lover or some other bitter bitch- be it male or female- to make his life utter hell. Conversely, Brian not being where Michael and Lindsay thought he should be, or doing what they thought he ought to be doing for their selfish benefit sent those two into hyperdrive. As a result, Sam actually pitied the man who would have scoffed mightily at the sentiment. When Ted told him about the young blond man Brian was seriously involved with, things became even more clear. Sam knew then that it was time to cut his losses with Lindsay and move on.


The first thing he did was call Melanie and apologize for all the trauma he’d done to her and her household. She accepted his apology, but also confirmed what Ted had told him about Lindsay’s pregnancy and also her former affairs. It made little Gus’ anger at his presence a little more understandable. Mel also told him about Lindsay’s plan to pawn the newest kid off on Brian, even though there was no way it could belong to the man. The long and short of the scenario was that the baby either belonged to him, Robert McElvoy, Michael Novotny, or some other unnameable person. Although, Mel said playing the process of elimination in the game of Lindsay’s life was a bit like playing a fucked up game of “Clue”, the maid had confirmed that she had been to Brian’s loft to clean it out at seven the morning he left for Chicago and had not returned for a week, since no one was supposed to be there. So there was no possible way that the bun in her over belonged to Brian Kinney as she’d hoped.

 

If it was his… well, there was no way he would ever let a bitch like Lindsay Peterson raise his child. She’d already proven herself neglectful where her own were concerned. Sam sighed. Perhaps it was time to stop playing around and settle down in Milan with Rosario after all. They had been playing a game of cat and mouse for more years than they should have. Maybe it was time to finally make the move to permanence. It’s true, he was the type of man who was always in love with the idea of love, but… well maybe he should give the one woman who’s always understood him yet never judged him the opportunity to love him back. If anyone deserved the chance, it was the woman he’d always considered his best friend.

 

 

~PART XV: ~YOU GO TO DIRECTLY TO JAIL WHILE I COLLECT TWO MILLION DOLLARS~ by Nichelle Wellesly

~PART XV: ~YOU GO TO DIRECTLY TO JAIL WHILE I COLLECT TWO MILLION DOLLARS~


Judge Jean-Paul Napier looked over the roster of arraignments scheduled for the afternoon. Rubbing his eyes, he couldn’t believe the three of the names that he was seeing once again, but was confused about the fourth. Turning to look at his secretary, Janice, he asked, “Is this right?”


She hesitated for only a moment before responding, “Um, yes. I even asked them to double check, considering one of them was just discharged a little while ago, only to be rearrested.”


“On what grounds?”


Janice sighed, before responding. “Sir, to say that particular case is difficult would be an understatement…”


“What do you know about it?”


“Only that the Judge Forrester had me rush through some restraining orders this morning. Apparently, two of the defendants were stalking Brian Kinney…”


“Brian Kinney? As in the man who gave up his job and everything else to get Mayor Deekins elected?”


She nodded. “One and the same, JP. The problem is that one of the defendants is the mother of his only child, while the other is his self-proclaimed…”


“Best friend,” he finished her statement in a high-pitched whine. At his secretary’s cringe, and glare he answered, “You learn a lot hanging out in Woody’s.”


“I thought you were straight.”


“I am, but my brother isn’t. Pierre and I often meet there for drinks along with his partner, Jeff. Consequently, it’s not hard to hear all about the exploits of Brian Kinney and the ragtag ‘family’ he’s built up for himself over the years. Although by the looks of it, I suspect that family is a bit fractured at the moment. Any idea why?”


“It has to do with the other two defendants on the roster this afternoon.”


“I never thought I would see Marlene Taylor coming before me again. What has she done this time?”


“Violated a standing restraining order. You remember the last time she came before you, of course?”


He cringed. How could he forget? JP had many nightmares about the conditions which caused him to convict that bitch of child abuse, child endangerment, and solicitation. “Why do I suspect there is more to this story than you’re coming right out and saying, Janice?”


“There is, but… well, you know that for a number of years the Taylors haven’t been able to retaliate against Justin and Molly.”


“And?”


“Although Justin has been in and out of Pittsburgh for a number of years, he’s finally returning here to put down some roots of his own. Part of those roots is a fairly recent alliance with Brian Kinney, even if no one is really sure when or how it happened. For all anyone knows, they could have met when Justin was home briefly over the years, since they live in the same building.”


“Ah, I think I’m starting to see what, at least, has thrown both Lindsay Peterson and Michael Novotny into a tizzy. God forbid Brian Kinney should have a life, or make a decision without their express permission!”


“Exactly. But that wasn’t the only loop thrown yesterday. Evidently, Molly Taylor is now a married woman, and Kinney formally introduced Justin publicly... as his partner.”


“Holy shit! The most confirmed and desired bachelor in the state of Pennsylvania is officially off the market?”


“That’s the word on the street, especially this morning. Apparently Novotny and Peterson barged into Kinnetik, which is where they were arrested from, demanding answers to questions that were absolutely none of their business. Brian had his assistant tell them that he wasn’t going to play their games, so when they refused to leave the building, Cynthia Moore called the police to have them arrested for trespassing and harassment. Lindsay Peterson is also claiming to be pregnant once again with Brian Kinney’s child, although that hasn’t been confirmed as of yet.”


“From what I know of the man, there is no way he would have willingly donated to her again. Lindsay uses their son to retain Brian’s regard, or more accurately, her hold on Brian’s checkbook for her benefit all the time. I’ve overheard him and his accountant speaking of it several times when it was just the two of them at the table in the bar. Although I know that Emmett Honeycutt is aware of the situation, I got the impression several times that Brian didn’t want Michael made aware of the situation. My guess is hearing the screech of ‘I told you so!’ or using it as a way to ask for another permanent loan from Brian was a fast-acting deterrent from talking about it in front of Novotny.”


“I was down at the station earlier, and I have to say that your assessment of the situation is quite accurate. It didn’t help that I also saw his soon-to-be-ex arrive with a bunch of trash bags in tow, and a rather thick envelope in hand. My guess is that it was divorce papers or some other legal documents. It seems that he’s quite done with Michael Novotny as well.”


“Hmm, considering that Craig and Marlene Taylor were arrested… again, this time from the Chartrez Resort, I’m beginning to form a complete picture of how Craig and Marlene must have acted upon hearing that both Justin, and especially Molly, are far beyond their influence now.”


“I hate to tell you this, but we’re not sure that Justin is out of danger from the two of them just yet,” Janice said.


“Why not? Who else is involved?”


“Antonio Laurent.”


“Shit!”


“My sentiments exactly. He’s been sniffing around for Molly Taylor for years, especially since Marlene was released from jail. The fact that the young woman is not only married, but pregnant could be seen two ways. Either Laurent will get the message and leave her alone at long last, or he could wait and try his luck again once she has the baby. I honestly can’t see him doing either.”


“Nor would he, but there is also another option which would probably explain this latest charge on Marlene Taylor’s rap sheet. It’s not a secret that Antonio Laurent is bisexual. Hell, he has a- for lack of a better term- harem, consisting of barely legal men and women. Could it be possible that he’s thinking of trading targets?”


“Unfortunately, that’s entirely plausible since Marlene called him prior to her arrest at the Chartrez Resort.”


“I’m going to order both Craig and Marlene held without bail until their trial dates come up. There are too many variables unaccounted for…”


“You’re thinking in terms of Novotny and Peterson, aren’t you?”


JP nodded. “There’s no telling what they will do should any of this come to light. And the charges levied against them on the surface aren’t enough to hold them indefinitely... not like they are for Craig and Marlene Taylor. In all honesty, I don’t think Novotny would be as much of a threat to Justin Taylor as I do Lindsay Peterson.”


“Why not? He’s already proven himself a loose cannon where Brian Kinney is concerned.”


JP shrugged. “He always has been, but he doesn’t have the intelligence nor the connections to pull off the stunt Marlene tried; Lindsay does.”


“So you have a plan going into the courtroom, but how is it going to help Justin Taylor?” Janice asked.


For some reason, she was really worried about the possibility that Laurent had taken Marlene’s suggestion and switched targets. The young man, whom she remembered from her senior year in high school, had been through a lot since his mother died when they were younger. His father, while indifferent most of the time, only paid attention to the Taylor siblings when there were punishments to be meted out. It was an open secret within their neighborhood, growing up, especially since NO ONE liked the second Mrs. Taylor. There had to be something that could be done in order to protect Justin and Molly… there just had to be!


“Honestly, Janice, I wish I had an answer for you. As you know, even us having this conversation within the confines of my office puts these cases at risk for a mistrial. The judge is supposed to be fair and impartial; to base any decisions solely on the law, and not on personal feelings or prior knowledge of the case or its litigants. But in this case, I simply can’t recuse myself, for the sake of both Molly and Justin. However, I also can’t do it, surprisingly, for Brian Kinney as well. If he’s finally settling down, or at least considering it, he deserves every chance to do so. From what I’ve gleaned about his past over the years, trusting anyone has not been easy for him.”


“Well then, we should get to work on his and the younger Taylors’ behalf as soon as possible. It looks like it’s going to be a long afternoon. You’re sure we have no way to keep Novotny and Peterson locked up?”


“Ironically, I think doing so would do more harm than good. With the dockets in disarray the way they are right now, we can’t keep them in county lockup while Marlene and Craig goes to the State pens. And the last thing we want them to do is have time, between the four of them, to formulate any plans for when they do get out, especially Peterson.”


“You really think she’ll make a move if Marlene were to spew her side of the story?”


“Lindsay Peterson is an opportunistic little shrew. She’s also greedy, cunning, and reasonably intelligent, even if she does make dumbass decisions. You can bet your last dollar that if she finds a way to remove Justin Taylor from Brian Kinney’s orbit, she will most certainly take it.”


Janice nods, and leaves the office. Thinking over her conversation with JP, she thinks she has, at least, a reasonable suggestion. She looked at the time and realized she had just enough time to pick up something to eat before the court sessions restarted for the day. Unearthing her cell phone from the deepest recesses of her purse, she scrolled through to her brother’s company.


“Morgan Security Company, how may I direct your call?” the switchboard operator’s voice comes over the line.


“Hello, this is Janice Morgan. I’d like to speak to Jessie please?”


“I’m sorry, Ms. Morgan, but he’s in a conference right now. May I take a message?”


“No. I’ll call his cell phone. I have a priority one surveillance case for him.”


“Hold on, Ms. Morgan. I’ll get him out of the meeting immediately. Do you know the intended target?”


“Yes. Antonio Laurent.”


~LS~


“So what you’re telling us is that nothing can be done until we get confirmation that the fucker is going to make a move?” Brian questioned as he paced his office in front of the two people sitting down.


“Brian, calm down,” Justin said, exasperated already with this conversation, which had been going on for the last twenty minutes. “Carl has already given us all the information he can, even though technically he wasn’t supposed to. It isn’t his fault.”


“I know that Justin, but…”


“No buts, Brian. This is something that can't be confirmed nor denied. Like Carl said, it’s a waiting game.”


“Can’t you put surveillance on him or something? I mean, there is probable cause since you had Marlene’s phone tapped, right?” Brian asked the Detective.


“Sure, there is probable cause; that’s not in doubt at all. But the real problem is that Antonio Laurent has a habit of filing harassment lawsuits against both the police and the City. Every time he’s gone into court, he’s gotten acquitted, and then filed a suit with the State, which he’s won. So from now on, we’ve been ordered to proceed with extreme caution when dealing with him, meaning we can’t make a move until there is indisputable evidence against him or his goons are willing to roll over on him and turn State’s evidence.”


“So the attack on Mrs. Shelton wasn’t enough?”


“That’s still being looked into, but so far there’s not enough to go on even after the detailed account of the incident.”


“So we’re sitting ducks?!”


“Brian…” Justin tried again.


“No, Justin. Just no! Your life is in imminent danger and they won’t do anything because of the career criminal they are dealing with. It’s bullshit!”


“Be that as it may, it’s the reality of things. Standing there yelling about it isn’t going to help matters,” Justin responded, hotly.


Carl tried to diffuse the ensuing argument that was about to get out of hand between the two headstrong men. What amazed him the most was that as Brian was just on the verge of yelling, Justin’s voice got frostier with each word he uttered. He didn’t raise his voice, but every inflection and syllable was meant to drive the point home as sharp as any dagger. “Gentlemen, if I may make a suggestion…”


“What?” Brian asked. He was tired of going around and around without a solution to the problem. He was not a man to take inaction well at all.


“Hire your own personal security company, but go with someone you trust. Don’t use the yellow pages to find them, because there’s no guarantee that they don’t do grunt work on the side for the crime boss. In fact, it might be better to look out of state altogether. That way you can at least be reasonably sure of their loyalty. In the meantime, on my off hours, me and a few guys I can trust will do surveillance on Laurent. It may not pan out to be anything, but it’s better to be prepared in any eventuality.”


“It’s not a bad idea, Brian. Besides, I can take care of myself, you know.”


“The point is that you shouldn’t have to,” Brian said as he glared at the younger man. “I’ll take your suggestions under advisement, Detective Horvath. In the meantime, Justin and I have to get ready for a meeting with Mrs. Marsden. She’s due here any minute and I need to collect myself before she arrives.”


“I completely understand, Brian. For what it’s worth, I want Molly and Justin safe, perhaps even more than you do. They are my family, even if Jennifer is no longer with us.”


Justin rose from his seat, crossing over to the detective who had moved towards the closed office door. “We appreciate that, Carl. And I feel the same way about you. I’ll let you know what Brian and I decide to do.”


“Please do that, kid.” he said as he left.


Justin closed the door behind him, and placed his forehead against the frosted glass, before turning back to Brian. “So about the meeting...”


“Justin…”


“Don’t, Brian. I don’t want to speak about it anymore right now. I just need time to process. Can you understand that?”


Brian looked at the young man, who always seemed so well put together. Although outwardly, Justin was calm, the rigid set of his shoulders and the subtle gleam of fear in his eyes spoke volumes about how this latest bit of news affected him. Making a split second decision, Brian crossed the floor of the spacious office to engulf Justin in his arms. He was gratified to feel that, after a slight hesitation, Justin embraced him back. The relief Brian felt in that small action was palpable.


“Yeah, I can give you this right now. We’ll get through this latest round of crazy.”


“That’s all the reassurance I need in this moment, Brian. Thank you.” Justin indulged in his wayward feelings for a few moments more, before changing the subject. “So about the meeting…”


“I figured I’d let you do the presentation.”


“What?! I... But I’m an artist!”


“True, but you’re also someone who knows the client personally. Don’t worry, Cynthia, Ted, and I will be there to guide you through it. With your knowledge of Asian culture, and your extensive travels with the dance troupe to those specific regions, your input is going to prove invaluable to all of us.”


“Uh-huh. And what else aren’t you saying about this decision?”


“Not much, except that it will also set her mind at ease about your current career choices. I don’t know if you know it, but that lady cares a great deal for you.”


Justin smiled then. “She’s always been front and center when she knew I was going to perform.”


“And she will be this time, as well. It’s only a different venue.”


“When you put it like that, I think that maybe I can do this.”


“Again, you won’t be by yourself, and contrary to your belief, it’s not too soon. Besides, the faster we get you established within the company, the better. You already aren’t going to be easy pickings for the idiots that be, but this way a lot more power will be backing you, too. Remember that there is always a method to my madness.”


Justin snickered at Brian’s choice of words. “I’ll remember,” he said, just as a knock on the door came from Cynthia.


“Mrs. Marsden has arrived. Are you guys ready?” she asked, looking from one to the other. She knew that the arrival of the Pittsburgh P.D. Detective spelled trouble, but she wasn’t sure how.


“We’re fine, Cynthia. In fact, I’ve decided that Justin is going to make the presentation on this account.”


Her eyes widened briefly, but then she smiled. After many years of working with Brian, she knew that if he made this decision, there was a reason for it… and she trusted his judgment unquestioningly. Obviously Brian saw something in Justin that the younger man had yet to see within himself. “No problem, Brian. Everything is already set up in the conference room, including refreshments and coffee. Good luck, Justin!”


“Thanks. I’ll need it,” Justin murmured.


“Bullshit! You don’t need luck. You just need confidence, so get some and let’s get this account,” Brian ordered.


Justin and Cynthia laughed at Brian, but it was just what Justin needed to ease the tension consistently building inside of him. “Yes, Sir! Confidence received, Sir!” Justin responded, saluting as if he was a soldier reporting to his superior officer.


Brian snickered. “Smartass twat!”


Brian and Cynthia briefed Justin on what to mention in the meeting, and how to segue if asked a question that he couldn’t immediately answer on the way to the conference room. They heard the unmistakable peal of Mrs. Marsden’s high-pitched laugh as they neared, along with the southern sounds of their resident caterer in attendance. Apparently, Emmett was in there telling her some of his home-grown gothic tales, which even Brian had to admit, were full of hmphs and hilarity. They heard Ted’s voice add a comment or two, which only added to the good humor going on in their meeting place.



Justin straightened his shoulders, took a deep breath and breezed into the conference room followed closely by Brian and Cynthia. “Liz, Darling, how are you?”


“Oh, Justin!” she responded, embracing the young man tightly. “I was so worried about you when you didn’t make your appearance last night and again today. I managed to corner Gary and he told me that you’d left the troupe.”


“I did, but for an extremely great opportunity working as an Account Liaison within Kinnetik Global.”


“But why at this juncture? You’ve always been a headliner, Darling.”


Justin smiled brightly at her. “I had been traveling around since I was seventeen. And although I will always be grateful to Gary, the Troupe, and patrons such as yourself, it was time for me to spread my wings a little.”


“Well change is always good, and keeps us young at the same time. I’m going to miss seeing you though.”


“You’ll still see me, only it will be indoors without me freezing my butt off” Justin chuckled. “I understand that you already know Brian, Cynthia, and Ted?”


“Yes, I do. Hello, Cynthia and Brian. You know Brian, my heart is still a bit broken that you won’t join me in more informal pursuits,” she teased.


“I would believe that if you didn’t have your own personal brand of delicacies accompanying you today. By the way, love the outfit,” Brian said, as he noted the specially designed asian-inspired leather pantsuit. Done in red, gold, and black, she coupled it with a white ruffled shell, which added to the glamor. The high-heeled boots added to the allure. “It’s definitely inspired.”


“I have Cynthia to thank for it. Amazingly, I had it made here, but used an old pattern I’d found in my mother’s stash of materials pertaining to the business. No way was I using it for a sofa!”


“Well I’m glad that Cynthia pointed you in the right direction.”


“Your Pierre is a miracle worker, Darling Cynthia. And quite the designer! He’s going to go far. I can see why you’ve been with him for many years.”


Cynthia laughed. “For a gay guy, he sure does know his way around a woman’s body. I’ll send him your compliments.”


Justin cleared his throat, as he moved to the head of the room where the preliminary boards were located, and remembering what Brian and Cynthia said about asserting himself early on. “So I believe we should go on and get started with this meeting.”


“That’s a fabulous idea, Justin,” Liz concurred. “Now, I’ve already relayed some of what I wanted to Brian and Cynthia.”


Justin nodded. “They advised me on your specifications. However, in keeping with the theme of your heritages- including Chinese, Malaysian, and Welsh- I think we can come up with a campaign to honor all three, instead of just upselling one, while downplaying the others. Since it is your company’s one-hundredth anniversary, I think we should show a progressive timeline from back when the company was founded until now. We could feature the different types of furniture from each era; have the actors dress in period pieces, showing the timelessness of your company…”


“And are you willing to be one of the models?” Liz asked.


“Me? I was only planning on being the gentleman behind the scenes.”


“I see,” Liz said, before straightening herself into her seat, just that tiny bit more to make her wishes known. “Let me be honest, Justin. I love the idea of having this campaign reflect all that you and the staff of Kinnetik came up with. However, I want you to do more than lead this account. I want the account centered around you.”


“Liz…”


“No. Now hear me out, young man. I have followed your career since the very first time Gary informed me that he had a young talent- untrained, but spectacular to behold. I have watched you grow and flourish over the years, and I am determined to see you do so in your new situation as well. So I am willing to sign on today, with the stipulation that you are the lead model/actor on this campaign. Besides, to be even more honest, you remind me of my father who was a blond-haired, blue-eyed man, and if I’m correct, Welsh or Anglo-Saxon blood also flows through your veins.”


“I… I…” Justin stuttered, struck speechless by Elizabeth Marsden’s reasoning behind accepting the campaign. He felt overwhelmed by both her faith and generosity in even considering this option.


“Liz, I think you have finally managed something that even I haven’t accomplished to date where Justin is concerned,” Brian said, smirking. “You literally stunned him to silence.”


The entire room chuckled, while the blushing young man shook his head. Gathering himself to his full height, he said, “Well don’t get used to it, Mr. Kinney. Now, back to you Liz. Based on your request, we can negotiate the terms. Also the timeline needs to be worked out immediately, since I know that the anniversary officially begins relatively soon.”


“No negotiations are necessary, Justin. I want you to not only have the commission, but the standard lead actor fee which is usually built into the cost projections on the contract. As for the timeline, I would need the first wave of the campaign ready by the third week in April, which is just after Easter. Although the anniversary reveal isn’t until the second week of May, it will give both of us time to reformat any corrections or new ideas after the first meeting.”


"That sounds more than reasonable, Liz,” Brian cut in when he could see Justin calculating how everything was going to fit into his schedule. If Justin’s work ethic was anything like Brian’s, he didn’t think the young man was going to leave him any room to breathe, let alone take any much needed breaks. Turning to Justin, he said, “Congratulations, Justin, or should I call you Millburn Pennybags, Junior? You just made two million dollars today, and that doesn’t even include your actor’s fee. So dinner is on you.”


Brian smiled at Justin as he sat down heavily into the chair in front of him, absorbing it all. After all the young man had been through, he deserved his good fortune and so much more!


~LS~


Craig Taylor stood stunned to silence for a completely different reason than that of his son. As he appeared before Judge Napier in County Court, with his court-appointed attorney, he was shocked to learn that he would not be receiving bail. Granted, the situation with Justin and Molly had gone completely different from the way he thought it would. His children with Jennifer were always headstrong and resistant to discipline. But after hearing of the attack on Constance Shelton, who was thought to be his daughter at the time, Craig couldn’t quite grasp why he was being considered a danger to Justin and Molly.


“Your honor, the call didn’t come from Mr. Taylor’s cell phone, but from the true culprit in this case, his wife Marlene,” George Russell, his attorney argued.


“Be that as it may, I find it hard to believe that your client had no foreknowledge of the events which led to Mrs. Constance Shelton having to fend off her attackers. In addition to that, Mr. Taylor had been advised that there was a restraining order in place. He willingly violated it, and this court has no doubt he would again, given the opportunity. Motion for bail to be set is denied. Next case!” Judge Napier banged his gavel, even as Craig was being hustled off to his next destination of the Pennsylvania State Men’s Correctional Facility.


“Why am I being sent to the State pen, as opposed to remaining in County?” Craig asked his attorney.


Russell rolled his eyes at that question. He was well-aware of the maliciousness of his client and his wife. If it was up to him, he would bypass the need for due process altogether and just lock them up for the rest of their miserable lives. But as an attorney, he had to believe that the law knew best in this case, and only work just enough that the Taylors Constitutional rights would not be violated on his watch. “Mr. Taylor, as I already explained before we entered into the courtroom, the reason that you are being remanded to the State Penitentiary is due to the proximity of County lockup to where your son and daughter live. Therefore, it would be considered a violation of the restraining orders to keep you there, regardless of the fact that you will be in jail.”


Before Craig could respond, they were interrupted by the whiniest voice Craig ever had the displeasure of hearing. “Hey! I said that they need to let me have my phone call! I’ve asked for it over and over again, but I still haven’t gotten it!”


“Stop lying, Novotny. It’s how your soon-to-be ex paid you a visit to lockup,” the officer escorting the prisoner advised.


“But… but… that didn’t count! I need to call Brian! No way would he allow me to stew in here. If he only knew that…”


“He knows, and is also the reason that you are being arraigned. Need I remind you that you were trespassing at Kinnetik, which began all your troubles? Now pipe down, before I…”


Craig couldn’t hear the rest of the guard’s statement, but one name did stick out in the entire conversation. Brian… could it be that the whiny man was talking about Justin’s partner? He needed to find out more about Kinney. The small smirk on his face must have alerted his attorney to his thoughts, because he was receiving a not-so-subtle elbow into his side.


“And that is the other reason you are being transferred to the State facility.”


“What are you talking about?” Craig asked, trying for innocence, but failing miserably.


“They didn’t want you accessible to that particular scumbag since you both have so much in common.”


“What do you mean?”


“While you might want to destroy Brian Kinney, that talking jackass wants to destroy Justin Taylor. And there is no doubt in any mind connected to this case that you would have helped him!” Mr. Russell yelled at him. “Guard! The prisoner is more than ready to be boarded upon the bus!”


“But wait a minute… I… I…” Craig stuttered as he was once again shuffled off to jail. Fuck! I won’t even have a chance to see Marlene. No matter though. He would find a way to get a message to that Novotny guy… one way or another.


“What?!?! FIVE-HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS?!?! But… But, I don’t have that kind of money!” came the screech Craig heard as he passed the courtroom.

 

Um, maybe not… FUCK!

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=25