Why do I love you by starlight
Summary:

imageedit_19_5183660242.jpg

Justin is upset because he thinks Brian has done the unthinkable.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Brian Kinney, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Kiki, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Anti-Michael
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Brian/Michael
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 43767 Read: 136132 Published: Jun 26, 2016 Updated: Jul 06, 2016
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Thank you for all the work you did as a beta Lorie. Also thanks to Tagsit for the amazing banner.

JUSTIN

 

I was standing outside the diner waiting for Brian to come pick me up when Ted pulled up.

“Hey, need a ride?” Ted asked

“Well, I was waiting for Brian.” I replied.

“Oh, well I think he’s busy” Ted tells me.

Great, another night where I get left behind because of a trick. It didn’t happen often because Brian tended to keep his word, but usually he would call me so I wouldn’t wait for him.

“Well a ride would be great then.” I replied.

“Where to?” Ted asked.

Well that’s a good question since I live with Brian. So I sit there thinking, then pull out my phone and call Brian.  

What I hear is “Keep the bed warm. Hello” The strange thing is that it’s Michael’s voice I hear on the line.

“Hello? Anybody there? Hello?”

I think I went into shock. Because why does anyone need to keep the bed warm for Michael. While I ponder this, I look over at Ted and he looks like he knows something.

“Sorry Michael. Can I talk to Brian?” I ask.

“What do you need? He’s busy.” Michael responds.

“I need to ask him a question.” I answer.

“Well he can’t come to the phone Justin. We're busy. You know what that’s like don’t you?” he sneers.

At this point I just hang up the phone and look over at Ted. “What's going on Ted?” I ask.

“All I know is that Michael and Ben fought and then Ben left and I know Brian was taking Michael to the loft to talk.” Ted said.

Here’s the thing about this that pisses me off. I get forgotten the minute 'Mikey' has a problem.  

“What were they fighting about?” I ask.

“I really don’t know.” Ted replies.

Well, I really don’t know where to go. I could go to Daph’s, but really I just want quiet tonight.  

“You can stay at my place if you want to.” Ted offers.

Ted is the kind of guy that people walk all over because he is nice, but he is also loyal when you need him.  

“Are you sure you don’t mind?” I ask, not wanting to put him out.

“Yes, it’s fine.” Ted replied.

So off we go to Ted’s. When we get there he gets me a blanket and pillow, then heads towards his bedroom. As he’s walking, the phone rings. Ted turns to pick it up but the phone isn’t on the base. By the time Ted finds the phone, his machine has picked up and I hear Michael's voice.

“Ted if you’re there pick up, you will never believe it. I scored tonight.” Ted hits the machine and picks up the phone.

“Michael can we talk about this later?” Ted says. Michael was talking but Ted was trying to be careful that I didn't hear it.

I think I was just numb at this point. My partner? Boyfriend? The guy who fucks me more than once? Wow, that is pretty bad when I can’t even put a name to it. Why is he having sex with Michael now? I mean, how many years have they been friends, 16 or so. I think I just blanked out because Ted is there with his arm around me telling me it will be alright. All I can think to say is, “Will it really?” I guess Ted realized that I wasn’t going to respond to him after that because he just sank back with me into the sofa and put the blanket over us.

Around 3:10 am my phone rings. It’s Brian. I stare at it then hand it to Ted, who woke up when he heard it ring.

“Hello? No it’s Justin’s phone. Well I was driving by and picked him up from work, you asshole. Well he doesn’t want to talk to you right now. Michael called to tell me the news. No, he doesn’t want to talk to you” Ted really is a God send some days.  

“Justin do you want to talk to Brian?” Ted asks. I shake my head no. I wouldn’t have any idea what to say to him.  

“Sorry he doesn’t want to talk. Bye.” Ted tells Brian, hanging up. Then he makes another call. “Em can you come over?” Ted asks.

I’m still sitting here with Ted holding me when I see Emmett standing in front of me.

“What is going on?” Em asks

“We aren’t absolutely sure, but the best I can figure is that Michael and Ben had a fight and Brian comforted him. Completely.” Ted answers.

“You’re kidding right? I mean Brian couldn’t have done something that stupid.” Em seems to have just as hard a time grasping this as I am.  

“I mean, why would either one of them risk their relationships?” Em just sits there like the apocalypse has happened.  

I really wanted to point out to both Em and Ted that Michael and Brian are both assholes. But decided that I just didn’t have the strength to say it. Instead I turn to Ted and let him continue to hold me. Emmett decides that we all need sleep. I don’t want to move, it’s like having a parent hug me. So I ask Ted to just stay with me.

 

TED

I cannot believe that Brian and Michael did this to Justin, well maybe Michael, because he has always been jealous of Justin. I will admit that when I first met Justin I just saw him as a little kid. The thing is, he is probably smarter than all of us, and more mature in some ways. When he first came along, the first thing I noticed was his ass, then he spoke and I realized there was a brain in there.  

When I first came out of rehab Justin didn’t really say much about it. Then when I started working for Brian, he came to my office and said “You make me proud that I can call you my friend.” That was probably the best thing someone could say to me.  

So as I sit here holding him, I wonder what the fuck is wrong with my friends. I mean here are Em and I, each looking for a partner, and Brian and Michael each have great partners and what do these assholes do? They try to fuck it up.

As I sit there thinking of ways to tell them both off, I hear someone banging on my door at 4am. Em comes out of the bathroom and walks to the door.

“No Brian, you are not coming in tonight” Em blocks his way.

“Move Em, I need to get Justin and we are going home” Brian replies.

Em is trying to keep Brian out, but Brian pushes through and looks at the scene in front of him. “Are you done holding him Theodore? Because I need to get us home.” Brian asks.

Justin looks up at him and starts laughing and crying at the same time. “Do you really think that I am going to go home with you after you fucked Mikey in my bed?” Justin asks in a low voice. “Because that would really show how low class you are.”

Brian stands there for a second and then turns to leave. Before he reaches the door though, he turns back around and says, “No, low class is fucking around behind someone's back.”

 

JUSTIN

“Really? You are going to bring that up now. I mean, it only happened two years ago, so why not. Shit, I guess that makes sense though, you need a way to make this my fault. But you know what, I didn’t stick my dick in Michael tonight, so I guess you need to take some of the blame. Do me a favor, tell your boyfriend that Zephyr and Rage can fly off a bridge together as far as I am concerned.”

Brian looks at Ted and Emmett and asks them to leave the room so that he can talk to me. After they go in the other room Brian tells me, “Michael and Ben got in a fight because Ben cheated. So we went back to the loft and got drunk and stoned and he tried to suck me off.”

I looked at Brian and really don’t know what is stranger; the shit coming out of his mouth, or the fact that he thinks this is an explanation.  

“Brian, you have about two seconds to get away from me before I kick the shit out of you.”

“Look Justin, you never had a problem with the tricking, why start now?”

“Brian, I asked you to leave. I will not sit here with you trying to make me swallow your crap.” Then I got up and walked into the bedroom with Ted and Em.

Emmett walked out of the bedroom and we could hear him telling Brian that he needed to leave. Em came back and hugged me. Then I laid there with them, neither one saying a word, they just let me be. I have decided that these two really are great friends.

 

EMMETT

In the morning, I crawled out of bed to answer the door, thinking it would be Brian again. Nope. It’s Michael. I didn’t open the door all the way, just enough to talk.

“What do you need Michael?” I asked.

“Hey, I just wanted to talk to Ted, but since you’re here I can catch you both at once.” Michael replied.

“It’s not a good time. Ted has company, and really, I was already told your news. If that makes you proud, then you’re an ass.” I said, as I turned and shut the door in Michael’s face.

“Wow Em, you didn’t have to do that.” Justin states.

"Yes I did Baby." I say, hugging him.

We can hear Michael talking in the hallway. Justin and I walk closer to the door to see if we can figure out what’s going on.

“Brian, what are you doing here?” We hear Michael ask.

“I came to talk to Justin. He’s upset about last night.” Brian replies.  

Justin looks at me and mouths ‘upset?’.  

“He will just have to get over it Brian. I mean, if we are going to make a go of this, Justin can’t be around.” Michael replies.

“What the hell are you talking about Mikey? There is no 'we'” Brian stated.

Justin and I are still standing there when we feel coffee cups being put into our hands. We both smiled at Ted. I think that Justin has just detached himself from the situation, because he really isn’t reacting. Ted walks over and opens the door, telling Michael and Brian both that his neighbors don’t need a show and they should just leave. Then slams and locks his door.

 

JUSTIN

So, I am still trying to wrap my head around 'dumb and dumber' standing outside the door. I mean, Michael I get; he finally got his lifelong dream, why not tell everyone. Brian, I don’t get; I mean he doesn't explain anything to anyone, but seems to want to explain this. I can forgive a lot, and most of the time I do. I don’t mind the tricking, cause let’s face it, I am 20. I love Brian, but I also love the freedom to do as I please.  

When I ran off with Ethan I just wanted to not have to deal with someone who couldn’t, for two seconds, think about my feelings. When Ethan cheated I was angry, but that took about a day to get over. After that I just didn’t care. So when Brian and I got back together, I decided to live my life and let Brian live his. I thought that I wanted commitment. But the truth is that I just wanted to know that I mean something to him. I don’t really trick much, but the option is there.

Michael is screeching at the door for Ted to open it. Ted is in the kitchen making Em and I chocolate croissants. Did I mention I love Ted?  

Emmett takes out his phone and calls Michael to tell him to go home.  

Brian bangs on the door and yells for me.

I just look at Ted and Emmett and bite into my croissant.  

After a couple minutes Ted answers the door again, letting Brian through.

“Justin can we at least try and talk about this like mature adults?” Brian asks me, like I am being unreasonable. Part of me is trying to figure out why he thinks that adults do the things he does.

“What do you want me to say?” I ask.

“I want you to at least listen.” Brian answers me. I can’t really figure out what to say, so I just nod.  

“Michael needed a friend. We were at the loft and I fell asleep drunk. I woke up to him sucking me off. At first I didn’t react, then when I realized what was going on I got up and went to the bathroom and showered, trying to figure out what to do. When I came back out Michael was standing there trying to convince me that he just needed a distraction and wasn’t thinking. I made him leave.” Brian explained.

“Well that is not what we heard.” Ted replies.

“Brian, don’t lie to me, if you want ‘MIKEY’ you are now free. There are no locks on our doors, isn’t that what you've always told me?” I ask Brian.

Here’s the thing, I could see Michael trying this shit, I just don’t want to deal with any of it.

“Where were you when Mikey answered the phone?” I ask.

“What are you talking about Justin?" Brian answers.

“When I called the loft, Michael answered the phone and said to someone to keep the bed warm.” I reply.

“You must have called while I was in the shower.” Brian explains. “When I came out I told him that he needed to go home and sent him out of the loft.”

“Well he called here.” Ted told Brian “And the message he left was that he scored with you.”

At this point this conversation is just becoming boring, so I get up off the couch and walk to the bathroom. Brian follows me and shuts the door. I just ignore him and get into the shower. He sits on the toilet and stares.

“Are you going to talk to me Justin? Because I think we have a problem.”  Brian asks.  

I continue to shower then get out grab a towel and walk out of the bathroom. Ted is standing there with some sweats in his hand for me. I know this is childish but you know what, it feels good. I walk over to Ted, take the sweats from him and kiss him on the cheek. Then I do the one thing that I know will really piss off Brian. I take off the towel. Ted stands there a bit dumbfounded for a minute, then turns and rushes out of the room.

“Well now that you made Ted’s year can we leave?” Brian sounds a bit pissed. Hmmm, that was kind of fun.

“Sure let me thank the two people who were there for me when I needed a friend.”  I can tell that hit it’s mark, just like I intended.  

I walk out to see Ted laying with a pillow over his head and Em sitting there laughing hysterically.  

“You go girl. Baby, maybe next time just a little less. I don’t think Ted could survive much more.” Em says, while trying to contain his laughter but failing.

“I just wanted to show Ted my gratitude for helping a friend in need.” I say, and then laugh when Ted looks at me.  

“We are going to go. Thank you for being there for me.” I tell my friends.

 

BRIAN

The ride to the loft is silent and I know that I need to make this up to Justin. And not just because of the Michael thing. I didn’t go pick him up last night and I didn’t call him. I let Michael’s problems be more important to me than Justin. When we got to the loft I let him go in first.

“What are you doing here and why are you going through my stuff?” I hear Justin saying to someone. I follow him to the bedroom, where Michael is doing what looks like packing Justin’s clothes.

“Look I am trying to make this easy on you, Justin. Brian and I need to work some stuff out and you being here would just make him feel bad.” Michael explains.

“What the fuck are you talking about Michael? The only person who doesn’t need to be here is you.” I tell him. I turn to Justin and ask him to go to the kitchen. Justin rolls his eyes at me, but walks away.  

“Michael, you need to leave so that Justin and I can talk” I tell him.

“Brian, I know that you weren’t ready for this yet, but we need to work on things so that we can be together, and we need to be alone to do that. I know if you give me the chance I can make you happy.” Michael tells me.

“There is nothing to talk through Michael. I am with Justin and that is where I want to be and where I will be.” I tell Michael.

“Please Brian, do you really think anybody really believes that? I mean look at your history. You never tell him you love him, but you tell me all the time. You don’t take him out or do anything other than take him to dinner at Ma’s house. And you fuck everybody, which tells me that obviously he doesn’t mean that much to you. You only stay with him so you have a backup. Look at when he got bashed, you just stayed in the backroom tricking and didn’t even bother to see him. Like I said to you two years ago, he isn’t worth it. I can be everything that you need.” Michael tells me.

At first I couldn’t answer, because I was stuck at 'he isn’t worth it', then I replayed the conversation.

“Michael, the reason I tell you I love you is because it doesn’t mean that much to me. The reason I don’t tell Justin that I love him isn’t because I don’t, it’s because the words aren’t enough to explain what I really feel for him. I haven’t even tricked for the last five months and didn’t tell Justin because I wanted to wait till I got my last test done. Justin and I do things together all the time, we just don't see the need to tell everyone. One last thing, then you need to leave. I was there every night at the hospital." Then I grab Michael by the arm and push him out the door.  

I turn to look at Justin who has popcorn and a Coke in his hand. "I FUCKING LOVE YOU JUSTIN TAYLOR." I yell, loud enough that Michael hears it in the hallway.

 

 

 

End Notes:

First time be kind

Chapter 2 by starlight
Author's Notes:

This is shorter but it explains Ben and I just had to add Ted

JUSTIN

First, I have to tell you, watching them is like watching a pay-per-view movie. So I figured that I would just sit there with a bag of popcorn and a drink and act like I am watching a movie. Then I hear Michael spouting his usual wisdom, and then Brian started talking. How I managed to stay on the stool is beyond me when I heard what Brian was saying. I kind of felt like a shit, because Brian has just given me everything. 

I got up and walked to Brian and leapt into his arms. He falls backwards on to the floor cushions and we were all over each other at this point. When we finish I look at him, and for the first time realize the words aren’t important, but I say them anyway. “I love you.”

 

 

What really happened last night:

 

BEN

My world consists of “Michael what do you want to do for dinner?”

“Let me call Brian.”

“Michael do you want to go to the gym?”

“Let me call Brian.”

“Michael do you want to go to the movies?”

“Brian wants to go to Woody’s.”

Let me just say this, I like Brian, but for once I want the answer to my questions not have the name Brian attached to them.

I was walking across campus to go to lunch when I ran into Nick, an old college friend. Nick and I were best friends and had lost touch over time. Nick had gotten married and had children as far as I knew. He came over to me and we hugged and did the guy pat thing.

“Ben what are you doing here?” Nick asked.

“I teach here. What about you?”  I replied.

“I’m actually teaching at PIFA. I just came here with my son to look over the campus. He’s starting early admissions here.” Nick told me, as I watch a young man walking toward us.

“This is my son, Gabe.” Nick told me.

“This is your son? Are we really this old?” I looked over the kid, he looked about 15 or 16.

“Well, what can I say, the boy’s a genius. He’s only 15.” Nick replied.

“Where is your wife? Wanda, wasn’t it?” I asked.

“We’re divorced, but we’re still on good terms. I realized that I was gay about 10 years into the marriage.” Nick told me.  

I always thought that he might be, but could never really get a good read on him.  

“Want to join us for lunch?” Nick asked.

We decided to go to a pizza place near the campus. While there, he told me about his new position in the Life Paintings classes he will be teaching.  

“A friend of mine is going to PIFA. I don’t know what classes he’s taking, but he’s a painter.” I told him.

“What’s his name? Maybe I have him in one of my classes.” he asked.

“Justin Taylor” I reply.

“I do know him. His paintings are outstanding. I was going to try to get him to help as a teacher’s aide. He’s far above what I am teaching, for someone so young he’s very good.” Nick tells me.  

I have always been impressed with Justin. I mean, look at him, he was bashed and still has problems with his hand, but still went on to continue his art. He works on the comic and at the diner. If he was older, Michael might not have stood a chance with me. But neither do I with Justin.  

After lunch I hug Nick and give him a peck on the cheek. We make plans to go out later.  

When I turned to walk back to campus, I saw Michael standing there. I called to him, but he gave me this look that means he’s upset. He turned and ran off. I called him on his phone to try and find out why he ran off like that. He didn’t answer, so I figure we can talk about this tonight. The problem with Michael is that he tends to act like a child until he calms down.

Later that night, I go looking for Michael, and two guesses where he is. I wait at the bar for him to finish dancing with Brian. Michael comes over to me and I can tell he’s still upset about something.  

“Michael, why haven’t you been returning my calls?” I ask, confused.

“I didn’t want to interrupt your date.” he tells me.

“What date? I had lunch with an old friend and his son.” I tell him.

“Sure, if that what you call hugging and kissing some guy.” he sneers at me.

“Are you really going to go there with me Michael? How is that any different than you and Brian?” I ask him.

Without answering the question, Michael starts yelling, “Well don’t worry Ben, Brian and I won’t be your problem anymore. We talked and I am going to be staying with him tonight so I don’t interfere with your life.”

“What the hell Michael, how does Justin feel about this?” I ask, because Justin tolerates Michael, but other than that I don’t think that he wants Michael staying at the loft.

“He won’t be there. I won’t put up with other men Ben.” Michael is screaming by this point.  

I don’t know what has gotten into him, but I can’t deal with this in the middle of a club.

“Michael we need to go home and talk about this.” I tell him, but he just turns and runs to Brian, who is looking at me like I beat Michael. I just walk away confused, intent on heading home. I mean yeah, Nick is good looking and if I hadn’t been with Michael I would be interested.  

As I am walking out of the club, Nick is walking in. He sees me and comes over to me.

“Hey Ben, are you okay?” Nick asks.

“No. For some reason Michael thinks we are having an affair.” I tell him, and as I turn I see Michael point at us.  

“Let’s get out of here.”

 

BRIAN

I had decided to go dancing and check on the club when Michael calls and says he wants to go. We were dancing, but the way he was dancing was a bit strange. Michael is trying to rub all over me, which is kind of creepy. I excused myself to check with Ted who was about to leave for the night.  

As Ted and I are talking on the platform, I look to see Michael and Ben arguing about something. Ted is watching and starts to go see what’s going on. I tell Ted I’ll go since it’s already ten and he wanted to make it an early night.  

When I get downstairs Michael is upset and crying and tells me that Ben is cheating. I find this a little hard to believe since Ben really doesn’t seem the type. While Michael is telling me this, I see Ben headed for the door, but before he can get out a really good looking guy walks up. Michael looks and points out that is the guy that he saw Ben with earlier. Then Ben turns and walks out with the guy.

I take Michael to the loft with me since he seems really upset about this. We start drinking and smoking, the thing that is a little odd is that the whole time he just keeps talking about how he can only depend on me and that he should have just avoided the relationship with Ben. I know how he feels. I mean when all the shit went down with Justin and the fiddler I felt the same way.  

I was tired, so I laid down while Michael is still talking about how he should just have waited for me. I hoped that it was the drugs talking, because I don’t know what he means by that.

I woke up to a crappy blow job and wondered why Justin has decided to do it half assed. I mean, Justin can deepthroat better than anyone, so what the hell is all the gagging about. So I reach my hand down and realize that the mouth attached to my dick is not Justin’s. Opening my eyes and seeing Michael trying to choke on my cock is kind of mind blowing. How the hell is he able to keep a boyfriend? After that thought goes through my head, it occurs to me to stop him. So I pushed him off of me.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing Michael?” I ask him. He stares at me and says that he needed to blow off some steam. I just stare at him, shaking my head.  

“Michael this isn’t going to happen. I am with Justin and have told you that you and I are only friends. I’m going to take a shower. Then we can talk.” I walked into the shower, needing to get clean and because I needed some space.  

When I came out Michael started to whine about how hurt he is by Ben and that he needs his best friend. We walk into the kitchen and I explain again that I can be a friend, but that is as far as I will go.

Michael smiles and walks up to me to hug me then starts to suck on my lips. You know that earlier statement about how he keeps a boyfriend? It still boogles the mind.

I pushed him back and told him to go home and talk to Ben. After he leaves, I sit there trying to figure out how my day has gone so wrong. I mean, I won an account from Vanguard and found the time to take a vacation for Justin’s spring break. Justin has wanted to go to Paris and I want to take him there and tell him something else that I have been doing.  

Then I go to Babylon just to see what’s going on and to dance while I wait to go pick-up... oh fuck I was going to pick up Justin hours ago. It’s already past 3, where the hell is he? I call him to see if I can come get him. Ted answers and I ask if this is Justin’s phone, wondering why Ted is answering. Then Ted says something about he heard all about tonight from Michael. I try to get him to give the phone to Justin, but he tells me Justin doesn’t want to talk to me. I change and grab my wallet to go get Justin.

When I leave Ted’s house after the argument that we get into, I need to cool off.  I didn’t mean to bring up the fiddler, but I was just angry at the way he was reacting to the whole situation. So I go home and make some coffee. Apparently I am going to need to battle my princess and the two wicked stepsisters. At seven o'clock I finally decided it’s time to try again. Only this time when I get to Ted’s, Michael is standing there spouting off about how in order for us to have a relationship I have to get rid of Justin. I look at Michael and tell him again that we have no relationship other than friendship. Then Ted opens the door and tells us to get out of the hallway. Michael is standing there with a creepy smile and says he’ll talk to me later. When he’s walking away his phone rings and he tells the person he is going.

 

TED

So I am standing there, looking for something for Justin to wear since I don’t think he brought anything. I pulled out some sweats for him, and go to hand them to him when he and Brian come out of the bathroom. Justin walks up to me, takes the sweats and kisses me on the cheek, and then he drops the towel. For a minute my mind went to all sorts of interesting places and then I just turned and ran.  

Emmett looks at me and the first thing that comes out of my mouth is “How is Justin’s cock that big?” Emmett looks at me, first with a puzzled expression, then he bursts out laughing. I start rummaging through my drawers and can only find a sandwich bag to breathe into.  

Here’s the thing, I am trying to figure out a way to get my mind out of the 50 gutters it went to and Em is laughing up a storm. It also reminds me that my titanic is rising. I run to the sofa and cover up with a blanket and throw a pillow over my head for good measure, because I can’t look at Justin just yet. This makes Emmett laugh even harder. When Justin leaves I just wave and hopes he understands.

“Emmett, this isn’t funny. Do you know that that’s all I am ever going to see when I look at Justin? The fact that I was right, not only does he have a great ass but, oh my God the front is just as healthy.” I say. At this point Em is on the floor holding his stomach. He is absolutely no help, so I think of dead kittens and puppies, only they transform into naked Justin. Then I think of how to kick Em out without having to explain the spank bank in my mind.

Emmett gets up and tells me that he is going to go to the diner and will understand if I need to 'handle anything' before I join him there. He makes it three steps toward the door before he starts laughing again. I throw a magazine at him and he runs out the door.

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Thank you for reading

Chapter 3 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Okay here is the last of what i have written for today.  Will attempt to update at least once a day or two.  Deb will be a little OOC

EMMETT

I walked over to Deb’s, because let’s face it, I am the gossip queen. When I enter Deb’s house, she is in the kitchen cooking breakfast for Carl. I look at them to see if there is anything they might know. They seem like they are clueless, so I decide not to say anything.

“Em, good morning. Do you want breakfast?” Deb asks.

“Just some juice, thanks” I tell her. The thing is, I really want to say something. It is like a fire roaring in me. “Have you seen Michael this morning?” I ask.

“No. And you know what, he hasn’t called either.” Deb reaches for the phone calls to call him, but no one answers.

“I’ll just catch him at the diner in an hour.” she says.  

I decide that I better go before I say something. It is killing me not to tell, but I also know that Deb is going to be on the warpath when she finds out, and I would like to save myself the wounds. After I finish my juice, I decide to head to the diner. As I am leaving I see Ben walking down the sidewalk towards Deb’s.

“Ben, where you going?” I ask. If he’s going to Debs I will turn around and check to see if there will be any more gossip.

“I am trying to find Michael. He never came home last night” he tells me.

“Well I saw him around seven this morning at Ted’s, but he left and haven’t seen him since.” I tell him.

“Have you been to Deb’s?” he asks

Now I want to tell him no so I can see what will happen, but I just can’t do that to him. “Yes I was just there, Michael isn’t there and Deb hasn’t seen or heard from him.”

I am kind of disappointed. No fireworks at Deb’s today.

“Well, if you see Michael could you tell him to call me. I don’t understand where all this is coming from. Yesterday I ran into an old friend and we had lunch. Then Michael saw us and acted like I was screwing around” Ben tells me.  

Remember the fire? It has become a nuclear explosion. I try to figure out what to say but Ben is already walking off in the other direction. Well, on to the diner.

When I walk into the diner I see Michael sitting in the booth and I walk over to see how he is. He is still my friend, he’s just acting strange. Michael looks up, smiles, and tells me to sit down.

“Em where have you been? I have been waiting for everybody for hours. I tried Brian a few times but he isn’t answering. He’s probably still tired from last night.” He wags his eyebrows and now I’m not sure what he’s talking about. “I mean I know he has to deal with Justin, but how long does it take to tell him it’s over?” Michael says.

“Michael are you okay?” I ask, since the Justin and Brian I left were fine. Michael is smiling as if I don’t know what I am talking about.

“Emmett, I left after telling Brian that in order for us to have a relationship he will need to get rid of Justin.” Michael looked over to see his mother walk in.

“Morning boys. Where is everyone?” she asks.

“Running late” I tell her. I am still trying to wrap my mind around what Michael is saying.

As we are talking Ted walks in looking really relaxed. Hopefully this will be the end of the ‘Naked Justin’ saga for Ted. I started to laugh as Ted sits down, he gives me a dirty look and mumbles under his breath about dead kittens and puppies, whatever that means, but it seems to work for him.

“Ted, how are you?” Deb asked.

“Good, good” Ted answered.

Then Justin walks in the door, getting ready for work. Michael looks at him with pity. I still haven’t figured out what is wrong with Michael.

Justin turns and smiles at Ted who is still saying dead kittens and puppies, while looking down at the table. Deb smacks Justin on the butt and poor Teddy just starts groaning.

“Justin, I just want to say that I am sorry about everything but we can’t help who we love.” Michael tells Justin. Ted and I are sitting there with our mouths hanging open.

“Michael want are you talking about?” Deb asks.

“I just wanted Justin to know that even though Brian and I are starting a relationship, it doesn’t mean we were trying to hurt him. It’s just the way things are.” Michael drops the bomb and turns and walks out before Deb can react.

Deb looks at all of us then yells “What the fuck is going on?”  

Justin just stands there, shaking his head and trying to figure out what Michael is talking about. Then I see him look out the window. So I turn to look, and there is Michael and it looks like he is trying to kiss Brian. But Brian is holding his hand over Michael’s mouth. Brian whips his hand off Michael’s mouth like he’s been burned, so Michael then leaps at him, trying to kiss him again. Justin and Ted are starting to laugh because Brian is fighting off Michael. Deb has come out of her ‘what the fuck’ moment and runs out the door pulling Michael off Brian. We all run to the door, because if there is going to be gossip we are going to be the first to know.

“Michael what the hell are you doing? Brian how could you do this to Ben? He really loves Michael and you know that.” Deb yells at Brian.

“Ma I don’t want Ben anymore. Last night I found out he cheated on me and Brian took care of me. We both realized we want to be together.” Michael tells her.  

Okay. At this point I know that Ben never cheated.

I whisper to Justin, “What happened when you got home?”

“Brian told me he loves me and told Michael to leave” he tells me.

“Where is Michael getting this from then?” I ask Justin. He shrugs, but then walks past Michael and Deb and stops in front of Brian.

“Brian told you he wants me, Michael. You need to stop this.” Justin tells him.

“This is all Brian’s fault, he led my baby astray.” Deb yells.

“I didn’t do anything, other than receive the worst blow job in my life and kick Michael out when I realized it was him.” Brian yells back at Deb.

“Michael, what is going on?” Deb turns to her sweet baby.

“Brian don’t lie to everyone, you know it’s me you want.” Michael starts to give Brian this look that I think is what he thinks is sexy. What it really looks like what a child looks like when you set a hundred brownies on the table.

Ted is standing next to me saying dead kittens and puppies. Michael is trying to get to Brian. Deb is trying to stop him, and Justin looks to Ted, smiles and waves. I love Justin, but he really needs to focus.

Michael turns to his mother and says, “Ma, you need to stop trying to interfere. I have always loved Brian, and this morning he told me that he loves me and that is why he hasn’t told Justin he loves him.”

 

JUSTIN

This conversation was just too lame for me so I figured I need to do something. So I wave at Ted and watch him turn red. This morning is just too much fun. Then I hear Michael’s last words and realize he is rewriting history again. I can tell Deb is trying to make this Brian’s fault, but I see the minute she realizes that Michael said Ben cheated. She turns to her baby and hugs him. Then I see Em looking at this and he opens his mouth “Ben didn’t cheat. He had lunch with an old friend” he tells us.

“You’re wrong Em, I saw them outside a hotel, hugging and kissing,” Michael tells us “and after I caught him he came to Babylon. We argued, and he took off with the same man."

“I did see him leave with a guy last night.” Brian adds “but Michael, like I told you, I am with Justin and not you.”

Michael starts to cry into his mom’s shoulder and she turns to Brian. “Brian, how could you lead Michael on when he is vulnerable? Why didn’t you bring him to my house so that he wouldn’t have thought you were ready to start a relationship?” I love Deb, but I would really like to know how she could turn this into Brian’s fault.

“Look Deb, we went to my place; drank, smoked, and I woke up to ‘choke my chicken’ Michael doing an imitation of a blow job” Brian states. He really should have left off at the smoked part, because Deb pushes Michael to the side and heads for Brian.

“You really think that is an excuse for leading him on Brian?” She says, as she points her finger in his face.

“Well if someone being passed out is a come on, then Michael has more problems than we know about.” Brian sneers at her.  

At this point we are attracting a crowd and I see Michael slip away, blowing kisses at Brian.

“You asshole. You need to stop teasing Michaels with possibilities” she yells, and turns looking for Michael, then she runs in his direction. Wow, she can run, but Michael is still faster.

Brian turns to me and hands me my messenger bag and watch that I left behind. “I have to get to Kinnetic for a couple of hours. I will pick you up at three. I nod and Brian kisses me. I grab his neck and he lifts me so that my ass is exposed to all as my shirt rides up. “Stop teasing Ted, his heart may give out. Theodore, stop staring at Justin’s ass and get to work.” Brian growls at him. I turn towards Ted and smile as I walk by him. Ted groans, and is saying something about kittens or puppies.

 

DEBBIE

I know I need to get to work, but my son needs me and I will be there for him. He runs into his shop and locks me out.  

“Ma I need you to let me deal with this. You don’t understand that the love I share with Brian will never die, and nothing you do will change that.” Michael yells through the door.

“Michael I know Brian has done something that makes you think these things, but you need to spend time getting over Ben before you do anything else. Brian is never going to be the partner you need.” I try to tell him. Hoping that this will stop Brian’s influence over Michael.

“Ma he told me he hasn’t tricked in 5 months. That means he really wants me and only me.” Michael smiled. “You need to stay out of this” he tells me.

At this point there is no way to reason with him, so I am going to deal with Ben first. I dial Ben’s number.  

“Ben this is Deb. How dare you cheat on Michael!” I yell at him.

“Deb I didn’t cheat.” Ben tells me.

“Michael is not a liar and now he thinks that Brian is his boyfriend. I know Brian did something,” I tell Ben “but none of that would have happened if you hadn’t cheated.” I need Ben to understand that he and Brian are the cause of all of this.

“Look Deb, I don’t know what Michael thinks he saw, but I had lunch with a friend and that is all.” he tells me.

I know Ben and Brian are lying because my baby wouldn’t lie. I hang up on him and head to the diner.  

Justin is there and I pull him into the locker room, “Justin you need to tell Brian that he can’t lead Michael on like that and then act like nothing happened. You also need to not let Brian get away with this.” I tell him.

“Look Deb, I don’t know where all this is coming from, but Michael seems to be living in an alternate universe from the rest of us. Brian told Michael right in front of me that he doesn’t want a relationship with him and that he loves me.” I hope she’s listening.

“Justin, Michael wouldn’t lie like that, maybe you need to stop defending Brian.” she tells me.

Okay, at this point I am just pissed. “You and your son seem to be stuck in the same universe Deb. You might want to get Michael some help with his delusions.” I should have seen it coming, but I didn’t. My head snapped back as Deb smacked me.

“Michael is fine, you are the one who needs help, Sunshine.” Deb says, spitting out ‘Sunshine’ as if it’s a curse, and then looking at me as if nothing happened. We turn to see Emmett standing there, and he rushes over to me and looks at my face.

“Deb you better start praying that he doesn’t have a bruise because Brian will kill you for this.” Em tells her. We all know how Brian is about my head.

Deb snaps out of the fog she is in and says, “Oh my God Justin, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that.” Deb is in tears and the worst part is I almost hug her. But I am just staring at the floor, still stunned that she hit me. “Justin look at me, I didn’t even realize that I was doing it.”

I am standing there trying to decide what to do when Em takes it out of my hands. “Justin is leaving. I am taking him to the loft to see if I can do something about this in hopes that he doesn’t turn purple. Deb you need to get your son under control, because he is rewriting history. And you’re so busy trying to find excuses for him that you don’t even see what is happening.” Em says as he grabs my bag and we walk out.

 

EMMETT

All I can think is 'what more can happen', when I see Deb pull Justin to the back. I wait for a couple minutes before I just have to know what’s up. As I walk into the locker room I see Deb’s hand fly. Oh hell. Between her and Michael they really have a ‘death by Kinney’ wish.  

I look at Justin while Deb is still talking like nothing just happened. Oh lord, his face is turning red and there is a handprint. Justin is just staring at the floor as she tries to apologize. I grab his things and tell her that we’re leaving.

“Justin, as much as seeing Brian go thermonuclear sounds like fun, we need to try to get your face not to bruise.” I tell him as we walk to the loft.

“Em, she didn’t mean to hurt me. She just does that to everyone without thinking. Do not tell Brian about this, you know how he gets.” Justin tells me. I know that he loves Deb, and what he says is true. But this is Justin, and Brian has issues with people hurting him.

“Look, we’ll get an ice pack and hope it goes down before Brian finds out.” God I hope this works. We walk to the loft and I smell something cooking, although it smells more like it’s burning. We look in the kitchen and there is Michael, at the stove, cooking.

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

This part is just to show how far Michael has fallen off the edge.

Chapter 4 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I stopped before we get to Deb that on is going to take some thinking.  Next chapter we will be going on a little trip with Michael.

EMMETT

 

Can you say speechless? I can and we know that is a condition that I have never met. I officially give up. I look at Michael and the only thing that comes out is “Michael what are you burning?”

Michael looks at me about to answer when he sees Justin, “Good Justin you’re here. I’ve packed your stuff and left all of it over by the sofa.” both Justin and I look at a pile of garbage bags, and then Justin just stares at Michael. I have to wonder how Michael is still standing there. Justin starts towards Michael and I figure that with everything else, bailing Justin out of jail really isn’t on my to-do list today.

“Justin, why don’t you go into the bathroom while I handle Michael.” I say, as I steer Justin away from the mad man in the kitchen and close him up in the bathroom. I start towards Michael when I hear the bathroom door open so I run to stop Justin. “Please, for me Baby. I will get him out of here, then we will work on your face so Deb can live to send Michael to the nearest hospital.” Pushing Justin back into the bathroom and closing the door again, I run to the kitchen.

“Michael you need to leave. Now. And what the hell are you cooking?” Because the burning smell is getting worse.

“Jambalaya. Remember when Brian mentioned that he liked it?” Michael is smiling.  I walk to the stove and try to figure out why it’s burning.  

“Michael did you put water in there?” At this point I just decide to stop the crazy train. I took the pan off the stove and threw in the sink with water.  

Michael is shouting at me to stop because he has a dinner party planned to announce to Mel and Lindsay that he and Brian are a couple and are going to want to see the kids more. Now, as much as I am enjoying this conversation, it's time to send Michael packing before God Kinney gets here.

“Michael, it’s time for you to go. I have to save your mother’s life and yours. And I can’t do that with you and Justin in the same room.” I tell him, as I push him out of the loft.  

“Yeah, and I need to go get new ingredients, since you ruined my food.” With that Michael is off, and so am I.

I walk to the freezer to get ice and turn to go the bathroom. I am just about to the bathroom door when the loft door slides open.  

Okay, kill me now.  

“Hey Em what are you doing here?” Brian asks, confused as to why I’d be at the loft, alone, in the middle of the day.

 

BRIAN

I have Ted drive me home so that everyone will think I’m still at work. Just as we pull up to the loft I see Michael leaving and tell Ted just to keep going so that I don’t have to deal with that right now. He pulls around to the back and I make my way in while Ted parks.  

Entering the loft, I see Em going towards the bathroom and ask what he’s doing here. Em starts to flutter one hand then looks around.  

“I was going to cook for you two tonight?” He says, phrasing it like a question. I notice the smell of something burnt. Walking into the kitchen I look in the sink to see something black in a pan I don’t own.

“I was distracted so, well... Oh hell Brian, Michael was here but I got him to leave. Can you give me a minute?” Emmett says, as he turns and runs into the bathroom.

Ted comes in and looks for whatever was burning.  

“Emmett was apparently cooking something.” I tell Ted.  

I look in the living room and see garbage bags. Opening the first one I see Justin’s stuff in it. Opening the others tells me what Michael was doing here. That still doesn’t explain Emmett.  

“Ted can you go check on Emmett? I need to make a phone call” I ask.

Ted nods and walks to the bathroom and knocks. Emmett sticks his head out then pulls Ted in. I shake my head. I don’t even want to know. Walking over to the phone I dial the number for a locksmith.  

Suddenly I hear Ted yell, and realize that something is going on.

 

TED

I walk over to the bathroom, knock on the door and tell Emmett it’s me. He opens the door and pulls me in. Emmett is fluttering all over, saying, “Kinney is going to murder people.” I look around Emmett and there is Justin, sitting on the toilet seat with a towel up to his face. I walk up to him and pull off the towel and see the start of a large bruise on his cheek.  

“WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?” I yell. Emmett starts fluttering his hands and looks like he would like to be anywhere but here. And right now so would I.  

“Deb slapped him Teddy. And now I have to figure out how to keep Brian from finding out.” Em tells me.  

The bang of the bathroom door opening and Brian standing there announce the arrival of Kinney.

Em and I are trying to hide Justin. Brian is looking at us and tries to walk around us, but we block him.  

“You to need to move.” he tells us, then pushes us out of his way. Justin is holding both hands on the sides of his face like a baby doing ‘fishy face’, and smiling like everything isn’t about to go up in flames.

 

JUSTIN

When I saw my stuff packed in garbage bags, my first thought was how to kill Michael and hide the body. The second was, would Emmett help? Em stops my forward momentum and sends me to the bathroom. I stayed there for a second then decide that Mikey was going down. Em is waiting for this and got me back in the bathroom, so I just closed the door.  

When I hear Michael leave I relax for a minute and look in the mirror. I need to figure out how to not get Deb in trouble for hitting me. I know it seems like I am crazy to protect her, but she is my other mom and has been there for me. I could say that I ran into a door but explaining the handprint on my cheek could be a problem. The other is that Deb will keep trying to apologize and I know that she’ll be dumb enough to say it to Brian.  

I hear Emmett talking again and hope it isn’t Michael again. Em rushes in like he’s hopped up on E. “Brian is here. What the hell are we going to do?” he is whispering and screeching at the same time.

Ted knocks and comes in and then screams “WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?” Well if we were trying to keep it from Brian, that's over.  

Brian walks in and Em and Ted are trying to keep him from me. I put both hands over my face to try and cover up the mark. Then I just smile to keep him guessing. Brian is far from stupid, but I live in hope. He crouches down in front of me and pulls my hands down. Emmett and Ted slowly back away because a smart person would get out while they still can.

“Justin I am trying to ask you this without screaming but, WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO YOUR FACE” he ends screaming. I figured I could just pretend that I don’t understand but it’s kind of hard since I have a rag with ice and the fact that he saw me trying to hide it.

“I ran into a door?” I say sort of like a question, which earns me a Kinney glare. Now that look was not necessary. I know I sounded like a kid trying to pretend that nothing happened.

“Emmett answer me” he turned to the escapees. Emmett is looking at the wall, not sure how to stop this from going where it will next. “Well you see the door or um well...” Emmett is no help but at least he finally figured out to run. Brian turns to go after him.  

I yell at Brian that I need him and that stops him for less than a second. I look at Ted, who I think has gotten over this morning cause all he says is,

“Did you really think that would work? If you want to save Emmett we have to figure a way to spin this.” He’s right and we both know that. So we sit in the bathroom trying to figure out how to stop a nuclear Brian.

 

EMMETT

Damn it, I need to get to the gym more. He caught me at the stairs and dragged me back in. “Start talking Em, when I left him he was free of bruises.” Brian is very calm now, but I know when he finds out it might take all three of us to stop him. I realize I need to distract him so I start with Michael in the kitchen.

“Brian did you know Michael can’t cook? I mean he didn’t even put water in that pot before he tried to cook rice. I know that his mother did all the cooking but even on the box, the instructions tell you to put water in there. He said he was cooking for you and the girls tonight. But since you didn’t mention that, I think maybe you need to call them and tell them dinner’s off.”

At this point I am just rambling to keep him from asking, cause I know I will tell before Justin and Ted come up with something. “You know, I think Teddy is finally over everything, cause he was able to look Justin in the eye again and that's good. I don’t think he would have survived much longer if he keep picturing Justin naked, you know. How about we order in and relax for the evening?”

Brian isn’t falling for this and I can see that my time is about up, and my first thought is someone stop me because I can't keep it in any longer. I wish that I hadn’t thought that, because here’s Mama Bear and she looks ready to kill.

 

JENNIFER

When the phone rang I expected it to be a client I was waiting on for the house he wants. What I got is Debbie crying and telling me that she hit Justin. I hang up the phone and call Tucker and tell him to come get me before I commit murder.

When I get to the loft I hear Emmett rambling away about a dinner party and Justin naked. Emmett sees me and just groans and hides his face.  

Brian looks at me and I ask “Where is my son?” Brian points to the bathroom. I start walking to the bathroom, Brian behind me and Emmett following. Justin walks out of the bathroom and Deb is dead. “Oh baby, come here.” Justin, smart boy he is, walks straight to me and I look at the purple hand print. He whispers to me, “She didn’t mean to, please help me calm Brian down.”

If Justin really thinks that I am going to stop Brian, he has lost his mind. Brian looks at me and I just tell him, “Deb hit him.”

 

BRIAN

I just stare at Jen and know that we have officially bonded in a cause. I turn to walk out of the loft, Jen right beside me. Justin is running behind us, “Please. She didn’t even realize she did it, ask Em.” Justin is shouting. I turn to him and look into his eyes. “It doesn’t matter, no one hit’s you. Period.” I tell him and I turn again.

Deb better have back-up.

 

 

 

End Notes:

They are going to jail

Chapter 5 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I tried to bring Michael in but Deb got in the way i hope you enjoy the fight.  Everyone but our favorite Queen got to be there.  I will explain in the next chapter how he got the kids.

LINDSAY

Cleaning the house is one of those tasks that makes me think, 'why didn’t I run off with Sam or marry...' not going to finish that thought. I walk into the dining room and there Mel sits doing paperwork. That really pisses me off, I mean this is our house and why do I have to do all the work?  

“Mel what do you want to do about dinner?” I ask, hoping she will make it tonight.  

“Whatever you want to cook is fine.” She doesn’t even look up at me.  

“What about going out tonight?” I ask her.  

“Linds we can’t afford to go out all the time. We still haven’t figured out how we are going to get a new car.” She tells me.  

I know what she’s saying, but one night where I don’t have to do everything would be nice. I just walk away before I say anything that would cause a fight tonight. Jenny starts crying and I just sit there, hoping that she will go to her.

“Linds can you get Jenny?” she yells over the baby’s cries. Really? She can’t move her ass from the chair and take care of our child?  

“I have my hands full, you’ll have to do it” I yell back. She comes into the kitchen. I notice she can’t walk to Jenny in the living room.  

“Linds I have a lot of work to do. You know, the income that is paying for everything.” Mel says, treating me like one of her witnesses. I am just about to say something nasty back to her when there is a knock on the door.

Once again she walks past Jenny and answers the door. I give up I go to get Jenny, and she is just red from the crying. I look to the door and there is Michael, with three bags of groceries in his arms. “Hey, I wanted to cook dinner tonight but there’s been a change of plans. Instead of cooking at Brian’s I thought I could prepare it here and surprise everyone.” He is all smiles until he sees Jenny all red.

“What have you done to my honeybun?”

“Michael, she just woke up.” Mel states. “Why do you want to cook dinner tonight? You don’t even know how to cook.”

“I know. But I bought all the ingredients and thought I would watch my children while Linds handles the dinner.” Michael smiles at me like he is giving me a gift. Wait, did he just say children? I look at Mel and she is just staring at Michael. “Michael you can visit with Jenny for a while, but we wanted to have a quiet evening.” Mel tells him. At least she didn’t say I would cook.

“Look, Brian and I have something to discuss with you and Linds so I thought it would be nice to have dinner and discuss our children.” There he goes with saying ‘children’ again.

“Michael, what would you and Brian need to discuss with Mel and I?” I ask him.

“Well, Brian and I are working on a relationship as soon as Justin moves out, and I think that we should get partial custody of the children. I mean they are just as much ours as they are yours.” He says this like everyone would just be happy with the announcement.  

Then I realize that he said relationship and Brian. NO. NO. NO. NO. This is not happening. If Brian was to go to someone else… I should be not finishing that sentence.

“WHAT?” Mel yells, scaring Jenny “Brian will not be raising my child. It’s bad enough I have to deal with him because of Gus. But no, this will not happen.”

“You better be prepared for a battle then. I will make sure that Brian gets the best attorney, so that we win full custody.” Michael yells at us. At this point I want to shove Michael into oncoming traffic.

“Michael, you need to leave.” Mel says. Michael throws the bags on the floor and storms out.  

“What the hell is going on Linds?” Mel asks, shaking her head. But at this point I haven’t been able to get past Brian being in a relationship with Michael.

 

MEL

Linds is standing there like a statue, and I figure that I need to talk to the source of this problem. Dialing Brian I wait until I hear him pick up before I start yelling, “Brian what the hell is Michael talking about? He came her talking about you two taking the children. Cause Asshole, I will fight you on this.”

“Mel, if I kill someone, or say Jen does, can we get justifiable homicide?” That is not the answer I was expecting to hear.

“Brian, why would you or Jen be killing someone?” I ask, since Michael’s crazy announcement, I figure I'll just wait for whatever is going to come out of Brian’s mouth.

“Here is my day in a nutshell. Michael is running around town saying Ben is cheating and that he and I are in a relationship. Deb decided it is somehow my fault that Mikey thinks that we entered into a relationship. Then Michael proceeds to tell me how he knew better, because I love him and not Justin. Oh, and he goes on to tell Ted, Emmett, and Justin that he scored with me. Justin, in a princess moment, flashes Ted. And Ted can’t seem to look at him without saying something about dead puppies and kittens, but I think he’s over that now. I walk in my loft to find Em rambling about dinner and naked Justin, and find Justin with a purple handprint on his face and then Jen shows up. To top it off, I find out that Deb hit Justin. So that is my day. Can you top that?” He says all of this in that very calm voice he uses when you know someone is going to wish that they never met him.

“Brian do not touch her, you will go to jail. I am on my way, you stay away from her.” I hope I can get there before anything happens.

“What was that?” Lindsay asks.

“Hopefully, just Brian blowing off steam. If we don’t stop him, Deb might not survive today.” I tell her.

We round up the kids and I call Em to see if he can take them for us. Em tells me he is at the loft with Justin and Ted. We get in the car and head over, trying to make it there fast. Justin is there on the sidewalk and Em takes the kids upstairs. Ted and Justin jump in the car with us.

“Oh my God Baby, what happened to your face?” I ask him.

“Well since Mikey has lost his mind, we have been trying to reason with Deb. She thinks that Brian has led Mikey astray. I sort of said she was nuts, and she swung.” I tell Mel.

“Mel drive faster.” Linds says.

 

DEBBIE

Kiki just walked in and I tell her I have to go talk to Justin. She gives me a look that says she knows.

“Deb you better hope Brian doesn’t show up, because we know what is going to happen if he does.” Kiki tells me.  

I am ashamed of myself. I know better that to hit Justin, but he needs to get his head out of his ass about Brian.

“I know. I called Jen and she hung up before I could explain what Brian did to cause all of this.” I tell her.

“Deb, you hit Justin, not Brian. Are you listening to me, YOU. By the way, you need to get your son under control. He is running all over town telling everyone that he and Brian are getting married and taking custody of the children.” Kiki has to be crazy, my baby wouldn’t do that.

“Kiki, Brian has Michael thinking these things. You know Michael, he is just an innocent bystander to the Stud of Liberty Avenue.” When I say this, Kiki just shakes her head.

“Deb, your son is losing it and you need to open your eyes. The only person Brian is after is Justin.” Kiki really needs to see the truth.  

“This is Ben and Brian’s fault. I have to go so I can try to fix this.” I leave the back and go out the front door.

I see Brian and Jen walking towards me and I decide that I need to clear the air with Jen.  

“Jen, I am so sorry about Justin, but you know if Brian hadn’t turned Michael’s head none of this would have happened.”

 

BRIAN

I did plan on yelling and possibly breaking some things. I also planned on telling Deb that until she could show better sense than this, she was not to come near Justin or me. The whole drive over I couldn’t get that mark on Justin’s face off my mind. Another thing I was mad about was Justin trying to defend Deb. As of right now, we are at the police station. So, just as I was about to yell back at Deb, I see high heels go flying and Jen running toward Deb. I like a good fight, but I had to wonder if Jen could win this. Deb holds up her hand to block the shoes, but misses the punch that came at her face.  

“Fuck you Deb. I don’t care if Brian fucked the President at Pride, you do not hit my son.” Jen yelled. Now I really wished that she could have said Johnny Depp or Patrick Swayze. But not Bush, never Bush. But I digress.

“You need to worry about your idiot son, not mine” Jen says.  

I knew what was coming next and would have stopped it if I thought I could. Deb’s hand swings and hits Jen. Then Jen grabs the wig and yanks it off along with some of Deb’s hair. That had to hurt. Deb starts pushing and slapping at Jen, then Jen pushes Deb they start to move towards the street.  

Everyone starts crowding around them as they kick, punch, and slap each other.  At this point I figure it's time to stop them, but no, here comes Ben. Ben, being all Zen, tries to pull them apart and they just circle around him after each other until Deb realizes that it’s Ben, so she slaps him. Now, to say that all of us are stunned would be an understatement.  

Deb is yelling at Ben that he should have kept his dick in his pants and none of this would have happened. Okay, so according to Deb, Ben is now responsible for Justin getting hit. Deb really should have been paying attention, because Jen now has Debbie by the hair and is screaming,

“You hit my son Deb so you are responsible. Look at your child. He’s an idiot, who for some reason believes that anybody could want him.” Debbie is trying to get at Jen but Jen has game.  

“Michael isn’t the problem, his friends are.” Deb screams back. Okay we know that Mikey can’t do any wrong but she really needs to think, because at this point everyone except Emmett and Michael are here. She isn’t going to win any favor from us.  

At that, Jen shoves Deb toward Ben, who catches her. I know I need to stop this, but well, this is worse than what I would have done. As they try to reach each other again, Ted and Mel grab Jen, who is still kicking at Deb, and Ben has Deb. We hear the sirens so everyone gets a little distracted at that. Justin tries to pass me, I grab him and tell him no. Jen sees him and pushes for all she is worth and jumps on Deb again.

So the police get there just in time to see the two of them scratching at each other and try to separate them. Deb isn’t paying attention, and hits the cop, and Jen hits Deb. That is how we are now all at the police station. I look at Carl who is looking at Justin’s face.

“Is this how it started?” he asks me. I just nod.  

So I explain what has been happening to Carl, and he just sits there in silence.  

“Justin do you want to press charges?” Carl asks.  

“Of course not. Carl she didn’t even realize she did it.” Justin is still trying to fix this. But as far as I am concerned Deb can sit in jail and explain to her PFLAG group how she hit Justin.

 

CARL

When I got the call from the station that Deb was here I hurried in, hoping she was okay. Right now I just can’t figure out what she was thinking. I saw both the girls in separate cells both staring at each other like they would have continued the fight if they could get to each other.

I talk to the arresting officer, who now has his own bruise, and just don’t know where to go from here. When Brian gives me the low down on Michael, I just give up.

“Are you going to bail your mother out Justin?” I ask.

“I am” Brian answers. “If she hadn’t gotten to Deb first, I probably would be in there.” Brian gets up and goes to pay Jen’s bail.  

“Justin, I'm going to leave Deb in here till I get off so that you have time to handle this.” I tell him. Justin quietly says thank you and goes over to Brian.  

I love Deb, but she needs to learn that she can't do these things. Michael is 34 years old and she is still acting like he is 5. I need to find him and get him contained.  

 

MEL

When we got to the diner it was on. I think Linds, Ted, and I were all in shock. I mean I love Deb, but even she needs to see Michael is losing it. I have to give it to Jen though, I never saw her as scrappy. I guess WASP’s can fight.  

At the police station I go with Brian and see what I can do to help.  Brian is posting Jen’s bail and I ask if he is going to help Deb. Brian gives me the ‘are you crazy?’ look and continues to sign the papers. Tucker walks up to wait for Jen.  

Jen looks like a tornado hit her but she is all smiles and thanking the cops in the station for their help. Brian is rolling his eyes and muttering WASP. Justin elbows him and walks over to his mother. She sees him and realizes that his face is worse than it was before and starts to turn toward the cell Debbie is in. Tucker grabs her, putting both his arms around her to haul her out.  

I go to Carl and he tells me to go home and that he will deal with Deb. I walk over to Linds and tell her we are going to get the kids and talk to Brian.

 

BRIAN

Before we go, I ask to speak to Deb. She is looking at me about to open her mouth when I hold up my hand to stop her. “Deb I have always loved the way you care about all of us. I have always held a lot of respect for how you took care of Vic and Mikey while working all kinds of hours under the sun. Today is the first time in my life that I could compare what you did to Jack, and I hate you for that. I don’t want you to talk to Justin for a while, because through all this he has defended you, and you threw that in his face when you didn’t just shut up.” With that I walk away, I know I am going to forgive her eventually, but not today.

End Notes:

Thanks for the reviews and hopefully this will help your fix.  I will be anti-Linds in the next chapter.

Chapter 6 by starlight
Author's Notes:

this might not be as exciting but the next two chapters are gonna be a little filler.

EMMETT

Why me? I should be the one in on the action but Teddy explained that help was needed and I tend to egg everyone on. When the kids got here I could tell that they were still tired, I mean, it’s only noon. I get them all snuggled down in the bed and the crib and start to watch TV.  

An hour later they are both up and hungry so i grab the lunch that Lindsey sent with them and fed them. Three hours later I decide to call Teddy.

“Teddy where are you guys?” I ask.

“At the police station. Oh My God Em, you won’t even believe the mess here.” he says. I hear him talking to someone about bail, and you know I just want to reach into the phone and tell him to put it on speaker.

“I’m back Em. Jen and Deb are in jail and I think that Carl is going to kill Deb.” he tells me. He once again starts talking to someone else.

I go to the kids and help them with their juice boxes, I really don’t want Brian to find any stains. 

“Teddy, call me back when you can talk to me.” I yell at him.  

“Actually, we are on our way.” Teddy tells me, then hangs up.

Twenty minutes later everyone starts showing up at the loft. Mel and Linds get there first. They go to the kids and make sure I didn’t do any harm. Brian and Ted come in next. Brian goes over to Gus and holds him. Ted tells me that he’ll give me all the details as soon as we are alone. Justin, Tucker, and Jen bring up the rear, although I’m not sure this is the Jen I know and love. The girl is a mess.

“Anybody need drinks?” I play hostess.  

Jen looks over at Brian and he goes to a cabinet next to the refrigerator and grabs a bottle of wine out for Jen. She grabs the glasses. Looks like she knows her way around here.

 

LINDSAY

“Brian what the hell is going on? First Michael shows up at our house trying to get me to cook dinner for the four of us. After that, he tells us you are in a relationship with him and trying to get partial custody of our kids.” I tell him. 

“Linds, I really don’t want to talk about this right this second. We need to get Jen cleaned up.” Brian tells me and everyone else in the room.

I am really upset, because he owes Mel and I an explanation. We are being put in the middle of his mess with Michael. Brian just turns and walks away with Justin and Jen.  

“Mel, don’t you think he owes us an explanation?” I ask, because I need some to side with me, but nobody looks like they will.  

“Look, how about we go to your house with the kids and fill you in on the last day or two?” Ted offers.

“Linds, let’s get the kids and Ted you follow us. I think Brian and Justin have other things to take care of right now.” Mel announces.

I really want to stay, because I feel that Brian owes it to me to tell me himself. But I guess everyone is going to go to our house.  

I go over to the bathroom and ask Brian to come out.

“Brian we are going home. Ted said he would fill us in on what’s going on.” I tell him, hoping he’ll ask me to stay, but he just looks at Ted and nods.

 

BEN

I was trying to be the good guy and look where it gets me. Michael acting like a lunatic and Deb slapping me. I really don’t get that this all stemmed from a lunch date.  After the police station, I decide to head to Brian’s loft to get some answers.

When I get there everyone is leaving. Emmett sees me and waves me over.

“Ben, we are going to Mel and Lindsay’s house, do you want to come?  Ted and I are going to explain what we know.” Emmett tells me.

I get in Ted’s car because I don’t want to listen to Mel and Linds complain the whole way.  

“So you were involved in the fight? I mean look at your face. Deb sure is on a roll today.” Emmett is just rambling on, filling the void. Ted isn’t talking and I am silent because this day is just more than I can handle.

When we get to the girl’s house, they settle the kids down in the living room so we can see them and come into the dining room. Ted tells them about last night and I explain about my lunch with a friend.

“Wait Ben, you said at the pizza place by your campus?” Emmett butts in.

“Yes.” I tell Emmett.

“Michael told us it’s was outside a hotel.” Emmett tells me.

“There was no hotel at all. Where is Michael getting this from?” I really need to figure out what is wrong with him.

 

TED

I always thought I wanted excitement and thrills, but now I just want my dull old life back. And I need Justin to stay clothed in my head, but now at least I can deal with it. I think that the minute I saw him hurt, the rest just stopped being important.

I have to say that Jen, as a mother, makes Deb less like supermom. Jen defends Justin and Brian, but doesn’t live under the delusion that they do no wrong. At first when Justin came out, I really didn’t like her,  because she was defending her husband and wanting Justin to walk a ‘straight’ line for Craig. When she finally came around though, she came with a vengeance.

I know that after the bashing she wanted us away from her son, and I could see her point. I think all of us have wondered if he would have been okay if he hadn’t rocked the boat.

I didn’t have Justin’s strength at his age. He was going to live his life and everyone better stand with him or stand back. It makes us all seem like cowards. I didn’t come out till I was in college and then only because Mel was there.

I tune back in to Mel telling Emmett about the fight and Emmett has the gossip gleam in his eyes.

“Emmett do not ask about this in front of Brian and Justin. Mel told you everything and I think that any repeats of this will have Brian in your face.” I tell Emmett, hoping he is listening.   

“Guys, I am going home. Emmett, Ben, either of you need a ride?” I ask, because I just want to sleep. They both get up and take me up on my offer.

Ben wants to go home and hopes Michael shows up and maybe has come to his senses. Emmett decides that he wants to go to Woody’s, but I tell him if he goes he is going alone. So he asks to stay with me tonight and we head to my place. I call Brian on the way to see if there is anything I can do for them.

“No Ted, we’re good. I have a locksmith here changing the locks and my code is changed. I will give you a key tomorrow but you're the only one, understood?” He tells me.

“I’ll see you tomorrow around eleven, I need to sleep, and since it’s Sunday nothing is going on anywhere.” I tell Brian. I hear Justin talking but can’t make out what he is saying.

“Justin, no more. Ted has been nice to you. Ted, tomorrow I’ll make sure Justin behaves.” Brian says, then starts laughing.

Bed. That is all I want at this moment. I take a shower and walk into the living room to check on Emmett when I see the news. Who filmed the fight?

Emmett is over at my VCR and loading in a cassette to record the news.“They are going to show the fight after the commercial. Isn’t it exciting?” Emmett is clapping and I just slam the bedroom door, climb into my bed and cover my head.

 

DEBBIE

Everyone left and Carl isn’t letting me out. I call for the officer to get Carl. The officer turns to me and tells me that Carl told him to leave me in the cell. I can’t believe he would do this to me. I start screaming and yelling till Carl appears.

“Deb, you need to stop. I have been trying to calm down so we can talk, but if you persist in this I will leave you here tonight.” He tells me.

“Carl, you better open this door right now.” I yell.

I need to get out of here and talk to Brian. I know he couldn’t mean what he said. I also need to find Michael.

“Deb, right now I am probably the only friend you have left after what you pulled today. If I were you, I would sit down, shut up and pray that the rest of them forgive me.” Carl tells me.

“Deb, we need to talk about Michael. I don’t know why he is running all over telling everyone that Ben cheated and that he is in a relationship with Brian, but he is close to stalking.” He says this like Michael is unstable.

“Carl, there is no way Michael would make this all up.” I am trying to get him to understand that my son couldn’t have done everything that everyone is accusing him of doing.

“So, everyone else is making this up and Michael is innocent?” Carl asks me.

I really want to say yes, but even I know better.

“Carl, what have I done? God, I hit and bruised Justin, and accused Brian and Ben, how do I get them to forgive me and help Michael.” I look to Carl crying my eyes out.

“You need to leave Brian alone like he asked and not ask him for help. Ben will forgive you and Justin already has.” Carl smiles at me and opens the cell. I run into his arms.

 

MICHAEL

I am in my shop on the sofa trying to figure out where I went wrong.  Brian is insisting that we don’t have a relationship. I know I pushed too hard, but you know, after all these years it’s my turn.

I realize that if I want Brian, it’s time to do what Justin did. I skip the street light in my head because I need to be more original. I could sing to him, but no, he would think that was lame. Wait, the King of Babylon contest is next Saturday. Yep that is my first move. I also can steal his tricks. I need to find a way to impress him with my comic book. I can’t draw, but I can rewrite the dialog.

I also think it's time for me to start stalking him like Justin did.  The difference will be that he will want me around. Yes. This can work.

I look at the TV and see my Ma and Jen on the news. I can’t believe it, they’re fighting, and did Ma just hit Ben? See, Ma is protecting me. I knew she believed in me.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 7 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Thank you Lorie for the help.  I got really bored last night and left her with this and it came out sooooo much better.  After this, the next chapters are going to be stalking Michael.

LINDSAY

I had this horrible dream that I was Michael. I woke up and realized that yesterday I was having a horrible day and that I started acting like Michael. Today I was going to change my attitude.  

I got up went down stairs and started breakfast. When Mel came down, I put coffee in front of her and eggs and toast.

“Mel we need to talk.” I tell her.  I need her to help me stop acting like a spoiled debutant.

“Can you listen without interrupting till I am done?” I ask Mel.

“Yes.” she says, but she looks like she doesn’t like it.

“Yesterday, I was mad at you for not helping me around the house and with the kids. I was upset when you brought up that you are responsible for all the income. I work too and I know I don’t make your salary but it counts. After everything else that happened yesterday, I need to apologize to you and Brian for the way I acted. Getting upset that it wasn’t about me.” I tell her.

“Look Linds, I know I haven’t been helping around here and with the kids and I promise to do better. I did notice the green-eyed monster come out when Michael was talking about him and Brian, but you reigned it in and I am proud of you. I also need to try to be careful about Brian around the kids.” Mel tells me.

“What happened with the kids?” I asked her.

“Gus asked me was Asshole was my nickname for his dad, like when we call him Gussy. Linds, I had to tell him that it was a bad word and not to use it. He asked me why I do. I said that I would stop so he is going to help me.” Mel tells me.

“Mel, that is one of the things I need from you. I dreamed I was Michael and trying to steal Brian from Justin. It was a real eye opener. I need you to stop me before everyone starts looking at me the way they are looking at Deb and Michael.” I plead with her.

 

MEL

I really need to take better care of my family. Everything Lindsey has said is coming from my neglect. I always try to make Brian the bad guy, but after yesterday I know we all need to make changes.

Poor Ben. He is going to be the one who has to help Michael and Deb. Because if yesterday is any indication of what is about to happen, they will both need help, especially Michael. I hope Linds is really seeing what she did yesterday, because I can’t be the only one keeping everyone out of trouble.

 

JUSTIN

I sneak out of bed and check the bathroom mirror, hoping that I don’t look as bad as yesterday. No such luck, it looks worse.  

I can’t believe my mom, she has never been violent. Hopefully Tucker can keep her from trying to kill Deb.

I was going to go to Daphne’s today but I think I need to skip out on her. She would make yesterday look like kindergarten. Now, if I can just think of something to keep her from finding out.

“Justin you need to tell Daphne. It was on the news last night. Ted texted me.” Brian tells me as he walks in the bathroom.

“Brian, you know what is going to happen if she sees me.” I look at him and lose my train of thought. Seeing Brian naked makes everything else seem irrelevant.

“Emmett is on his way here with Ted. Emmett recorded the news.” Brian tells me.

My phone starts to ring so I go grab it. Shit, it's Daphne. I hand the phone to Brian, because I just can’t talk to her till she gets it out of her system. Brian throws it back, and I give him the finger.

“Good morning my bestest friend. How are you?” That is as far as I get.

“Justin you are on my shit list for not calling me last night. Why was your mother trying to kill Deb?” She yells at me.

“Well...” That was all I got to say.

“I am on my way. Emmett said to meet him at the loft at eleven.” She tells me.

Crap, I’m going to kill Emmett. I look at Brian and he isn’t helping either at this point.  

My phone rings again, and shit, it's Deb. Doesn’t she realize that Brian is out for blood? I smile at Brian and tell him to take a shower since we are going to have a house full. He walks towards me and grabs the phone out of my hand.

“Are you kidding me. What is wrong with the Novotny’s? Do they not understand that now is not the time?” Brian is growling, and just like that, I forget everything but naked Brian.

“Justin concentrate. Fuck it, get over here.” Brian says as he pulls me into the shower, and a good time was had by all.

 

DAPHNE

All I can say is WOW. When the news announced that there was video of some fight on Liberty Avenue, I stopped to see it. I knew something went down and wanted to make sure that Justin wasn’t in this mess. Well I was kind of right. There, in full living color, is Jen trying to kill Deb. Then Ben tried to stop it, but got slapped by Deb instead. The volume is really off, so I have no clue what they were saying. I look around them and there is Brian holding Justin. When Mel and Ted got Jen I thought it was over, until Jen noticed Brian and Justin, and there she goes again. What the hell is going on?

I pull up at the loft and see Emmett and Ted. Ted looks tense, Emmett looks happy to see me.

“Daphne. Girl, did you see the news?” Emmett asks.

“Yes, but what caused all that?” I ask him.

Emmett starts with Michael and ends with the fight. To say that I understood Jen at this moment might be an understatement. I run into the building behind Ted with Emmett. When Brian opens the door and sees my face, he just laughs and tells Justin to come out.

“Justin get your ass out here now.” I yell at him.

He peeks around the corner and waves. He is not going to hide this from me.

“Justin stop being a coward and let Daphne see.” Brian says, pulling him out of the bedroom.

I never realized how many colors a bruise turns till I see his face.

 

JUSTIN

Really, does he think this is going to help? I can already see Daphne is going to go postal in a minute. I need a distraction. What would work? Well Brian got me into this, he is going to help me out.

I grab his sweats and pull them down. See, I knew that would help. Ted just stares and Daphne is stopped. Brian on the other hand just pulls the sweats back up and walks away.

Emmett doesn’t seem to like this is new to him. I wonder if they haven’t told me something.

“Justin as much as I admire what you did, it isn’t going to work.” Daphne says.

Why didn’t it work? I mean it got me a whole day of entertainment with Ted. But no, Daphne is made of sterner stuff.

“Emmett told me everything, but what I want to know is where is the idiot who caused all this?” she asks.

“He was everywhere, until the incident at the diner. I don’t think anybody has seen him since.” I tell her.

You know, he runs all over causing a million issues, then disappears when he would have had to face his problems.

 

DEBBIE

I am trying to get a hold of Justin. Because regardless of what Brian thinks, I still need to apologize. Only he won’t answer his phone. Carl looks at me and shakes his head.

“Deb, leave it alone. We need to find your son and deal with that first.” Carl tells me.

I know he’s right but I also know that I need to talk to Justin. He can help me with Brian and Jen. I realized last night how far I went to protect Michael. He’s my son but it doesn’t mean I need to join his bandwagon. Carl is serious about not allowing this to continue.

I mean, Jen and I are now going to have to go before a judge and try to work this out. Carl said that I was in more trouble because of the officer I hit. I had hoped he would get me out of that, but he said this is what happens when you do stupid things.

 

BEN

Still no Michael. You know, at this point I wonder why I even care anymore. I could just walk away from it all. Hunter and I would be fine. I was able to hide the fight from Hunter because he was too busy playing games to watch TV. Plus, he really wouldn’t watch the news. I need to talk to him before he leaves today, because it won’t stay hidden once he leaves the house.

What do I tell him? Obviously I will have to tell him why the fight happened, but I really don’t want to say anything about Michael. Hunter has enough to deal with.

“Morning Ben. Where’s Michael?” he asks me.

“Something to do with the store. Hunter, I need to tell you about Deb and Jen.” I sit him down and tell him about the fight.

After going over the events that led to the fight, I tell him that everyone will probably be talking about it. He sits there and just shrugs like it doesn’t matter. I hope he doesn’t go out looking for trouble.

 

HUNTER

I knew something was wrong. Michael hasn’t been around for the last couple days and Ben is really tense. When Ben tells me about the fight, I was upset at Jen at first, but understood when Ben told me why it happened.  

There is no love lost between the blonde and I, but even I know not to touch his head.

I guess I need to look for Michael. Ben is definitely trying to keep this from me but I don’t want a broken family. I already had one of those.

 

TUCKER

 

I love Jen, but when she got to Brian’s loft she told me to go finish what I was doing before she called. Thinking that she and Brian were just going to take care of Justin, I left. When I got called to the police station I really didn’t know what the hell to think. Brian in jail, sure, even Justin, but not Jen.

After Brian got her out I had to practically carry her outside, because one look at Justin and she was upset again. I caged her in at Brian’s car until they came out. I followed behind Brian to the loft just in case they needed me to keep her from going back to the jail.

This morning she is all put back together. You can see some bruising but the woman knows how to cover it up.

“Jen, is everything okay?” I ask her.

“I’m fine Honey. I just need to talk to Brian then I have to get to work.” She says this with a smile.

I have been with her long enough to know that she and Justin do this thing where they make you think everything is fine and then yesterday happens.

“Jen, please don’t make me have to go to the police station again today.” I am practically begging her.

“Tuck, I have no intention of going near her. I just need to know that Justin and Brian are okay.”  She's smiling again.

I am going to let her go, and pray for the best this morning.

 

MICHAEL

I wake up and start to wonder if I can do the King of Babylon contest. I mean, yes I dance. But with Brian I just sway, because nobody cares what I am doing. Now Ben can dance, and usually positions me to follow him. The only problem is there is no one there to tell me what to do. Just me and the pole. Also, I really need to figure out an outfit, because as hot as Captain Astro is, the queens of Liberty Avenue are not going to get it. I just want Brian to realize that I can bring it, just like Justin.

I thought really hard about the fact that I heard what Brian said. But I know he doesn’t mean that he isn’t in love with me. He just needs to understand how much happier he would be if he was with me. I just need him to understand that it’s me that he loves and wants to be with, not Justin, I need to keep working on Brian about this. Well, I'm a grown man and I can do this better than Justin.

End Notes:

Thanks to everyone reading.  I actually have another story in mind but if i start anything I will never get this done.

Chapter 8 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Chapter nine is almost ready so i should have that later today.

JUSTIN

After everyone left the loft, I looked over at Brian, who is laying on the bed, and I think it’s time to relax. He is looking at my face and I need him not to.

Crawling on the bed, I grab his sweats and try to work them down. Brian stops me, rolls us over and just stares. I don’t know what is going on in his head, but he is not going to get out of something he caused.

“Justin, did you know your mother could fight? She needs pointers, but overall I would have given  her an eight.” He still looks serious, but we both end up cracking up. We are laughing hard, until I reach for him. Then the laughter stops and everything else starts. Yep, this is perfect.

After another shower, I pick up my phone, Brian had put it on silent. I see six calls from Deb, one from Mom, one from the diner, and one from Emmett. I can’t decide who to call back first. There is a buzz on the intercom, so I just chuck the phone on the sofa and answer the intercom.

“It’s Mom. Let me up.” She sounds really calm. I buzz her in and unlock the door. When I push back the loft door to leave it open for my mother, I see Deb standing there. I do not need this.

“Deb, I need you to hide, cause my mom is on the way up.” I tell Deb as I grab her hand, close the door and run for the bathroom with her. Brian looks up, about to say something.

“Not now. Mom is on her way up. Deb you stay in here and do not, I repeat, do not, come out.” I shut the bathroom door just in time for my mother to walk in. Brian is still not moving and he's looking at the bathroom door.

“Hey Mom. Are you okay?”  I need her gone before anything else can go wrong.

“I’m fine sweetheart, I just wanted to check on you and tell Brian thank you for all his assistance.” She looks at Brian and they seem to be having a conversation I am not invited to.

“Let me see your face. Have you been putting ice on it?” She asks me, but is still looking at Brian.

“Give me a minute Jen.” Brian tells her as he walks over to his phone and makes a phone call, but he walks to the other side of the loft so we can’t hear. I decide that I need to get her out of here.

“I did that this morning and will do it again in a little while.” I tell her, while watching Brian on the phone.

“Let’s do it now. That way I know you took care of it. I have a house to show later today, so I have time.” She isn’t going to leave. I really don’t want to go back to the police station.

Brian hangs up the phone, walks to the kitchen then starts offering my mother a drink. Then he mentions I haven’t eaten yet today. He offers to order a pizza. That could take an hour and how am I going to keep Deb in the bathroom? Brian just keeps going, asking her if she can cancel he showing because it would be nice if she spends the day with us. I am ready to let Deb out just so she can slap him. I really don’t want to deal with this, but I know he is punishing Deb for not listening to him.

“I really need to pee.” I say out loud. I really feel stupid, like I would need to announce it. But I am stressed at this moment.

“Need me to hold it Sunshine?” Brian asks, smiling. He really is an asshole sometimes.

I walk to the bathroom and rush through the door and close it. “Deb, what the hell. Brian asked you to stay away and I know that you understood the words. What were you thinking?” I ask, because even though I am trying to protect her, I understand Brian acting out.

“Sunshine, I need to apologize, and I can’t do it if you don’t answer your phone.” Deb looks at my face and starts to cry.

“Deb, I know. I accept your apology, but this was not the way to go about it.” She nods and I hope she understands.

“I need you to not come out until I tell you. My mother probably isn’t ready to talk to you yet and if you really are sorry you will stay in here until I tell you to come out.” Deb nods, knowing that she really has no choice.

“Sunshine, I also need you to help convince Brian to help me with Michael.” She says, like this is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask after everything that has happened.

“No. Absolutely not. Michael started this, and until he stops we aren’t going to get involved. I just can’t help you with someone who caused this entire situation. Stay here.” I walk out and close the door. Please God, if I ever needed you, now is the time.

Someone is at the door again and when I look at Brian he's smiling. This can’t be good. When he opens the door, there is Daphne. Let’s see, if I leave it’s not aiding and abetting, is it? I stop where I am, sit on the floor, and decide I am done.

 

BRIAN

First, you need to know that when I saw Justin running past with Deb, I was going to stop him. She got herself in this mess, she can deal with the fallout. Second, I realized that I can make it worse. I am still angry and I asked for time. And this is what she does?  

When I see Jen come in, I decide that homicide lawyers are expensive and I can do better.

I walked to the other side of the loft, called Daphne, and told her we wanted to have a pizza night. That girl knows me better than that, she asks who, Deb or Jen. I say both. She just hung up the phone, so I know she’s on her way.  When Jen talks about having to show a house, I try to convince her to stay for Justin. She doesn’t know me the way Daphne does. I figure if I give her enough liquid she is going to have to go to the bathroom and really, I can remodel. I mean, Justin does like to use a bathtub.

“Justin why are you on the floor?” His mother asks him.

“Jen, how are you today?” Daphne asks her as she walks into the loft.

“I’m fine. How have you been, I haven’t seen you in a while? Is school going well?  How are your parents?” Jen asks, ever the WASP.

“Great Jen, it really has been a while. How are Tucker and Molly?” Daphne answers.

I love Daphne, she can keep Jen here.

I walk over to the kitchen and add more coffee to Jen’s cup and then the two of them walk to the sofa and sit down.

Justin is still sitting on the floor. I pick him up and walk him to the bedroom.

“What the hell are you doing Brian? I just don’t want a repeat of yesterday. If my mother hadn’t been on her way up I would have shut the door.”

I know that, but it is Deb I need to punish. I will not let Jen and her kill each other, but Deb needs to understand when I say stay away, do it.

The buzzer rings again and Justin runs to the door. Carl is standing there. Jen stands, walks to kitchen and puts her cup in the sink. She walks to Carl and apologizes for yesterday. He smiles and tells her not to worry. I really need to get her to drink more. Justin walks past me and shakes his head no.

“Justin, I’ll be back after I show the house. Oh, and Brian you can let Deb out of the bathroom now.” Jen says as she walks out.

 

CARL

I know where Michael is, but unless he commits and actual crime, I can’t break into his shop. I figured I would go get Deb from the diner and have her get him. When I got to the diner, Kiki tells me that she left. I stand there for a minute and pray that I am wrong about where she went. I know that all the prayers in the world are not going to change anything. I drive to the loft, and when I get out of the car I see Jen’s car. 'Please let Deb have been smarter than this', I say to myself.

Justin answers the door, says nothing, and walks away. Jen comes out of the kitchen, apologizes for everything and then says they can let Deb out. I know at this point Deb really doesn’t understand how bad things have really gotten if she showed up after what Brian said to her.  

Deb has a black eye and scratches all over. She covered up most of it but not all.

“Deb, get your ass out here.” I yell at her.

She opens the door and walks toward Brian. I just can’t let her do this again. I walk to her and stop her from reaching him.

“Carl, I need to apologize and then talk to him about helping Michael.” Deb tells me and I hear Brian snort.

“No, you need to come get your son. He is still in his shop.” I tell her.

“You found him?” I have no idea why she thought that it would be so hard to find him.

“At the shop? Well I have to go. Later Justin.” Daphne gets up and now I know there is going to be trouble.

Brian is giving her the thumbs up, Justin throws his hands in the air, and Deb turns to Brian.

“Brian, I understand that you’re mad, but he’s your best friend. He needs you and you need to set aside your feelings and help.” All I can think is, 'is Deb really this clueless'?

 

“No. And before anything else comes out of your mouth, walk out and wait for me to call you.” Brian then turns and walks away.

We turn to leave and I realize that Daphne is missing. I worry about this because between Daphne and Justin they could probably kill someone and get away with it. I grab Deb and pull her out.

“Carl, you need to help me get them to help. I know Michael is wrong, but he needs Brian.” She stands there determined, as if they owe her this.

“Ben, Deb. You should have been saying Ben. If I ever marry you, the person everyone should expect to help you is me. Why can’t you get that into your head? Your son has caused everything that is going on, and yet here you are, trying to find a way to make him innocent. At least you understand that Michael is wrong, but yet you are expecting the people you and he hurt, to help fix this. Think about that, and hope that we get to him before Daphne reaches him.” Finally, she walks with me to the car.

 

BRIAN

I didn’t want to see bloodshed. I really like my floors, and blood is hard to remove. I just want Deb to stop trying to get me to save her son. I have done everything she has ever asked to take care of him. Now I need to take care of Justin and myself. I have put Justin second, third, and last, too many times. I still have to tell him about Paris.

I walk into the bedroom to find Justin under the covers. Great. The princess is here. But you know, I have something that will stop this whole thing.

“Paris in two weeks, mark it on your calendar.” I say, before I turn and walk out of the bedroom and wait.

Have you ever had an armful of happy and excited Sunshine? Well until you do you will never understand why I want to make it my mission in life to make him happy.

“Please don’t joke about this Brian.” He is looking at me and biting down on his bottom lip.

“Call Cynthia if you don’t believe me.”

I will say that what happens in the next few hours makes me want to live in Paris.

 

DAPHNE

You know, I sat there and helped Brian with ‘Operation make Deb suffer’, but the truth is, I have been waiting for information on little Mikey. I left as soon as I got it because I am going to make the little man suffer. I thought about yelling, but I decided Michael is dense and I want this to hurt.  

If Justin was here I would get him to pick the lock on the back door. Justin and I have always been curious about things and when we were ten I wanted to try lock picking. We read a book and tried. I couldn’t do it. But Justin, he reads the book then turns and does it. I sit in my car down the road from Michael’s shop, waiting for Deb and Carl, they are going to get me into the store.

 

 

TED

 

I know Brian is pissed, but he still cares. He called me and told me that Carl found Michael, and would probably need help. He also told me that Daphne disappeared once she found out where Michael was and to keep her out of trouble. I call Emmett, because Daphne likes him, and will hopefully listen to him.

I see her in her car so I stop and let Emmett out to deal with her and I keep going.

Deb is banging on the door and yelling for Michael. Carl is behind her. I walk over and look in through the window. I can hear music and I see Michael doing something. It might be dancing, but I'm not really sure. He turns, sees us, and smiles. The music is turned off, then Michael walks over and opens the door. We start to go in, but I turn to Emmett and Daphne and tell her no. Did I really think she would listen?

“Teddy she is just going to be here for moral support.” Emmett tells me.  

I know he is not buying her excuse, but I really need to help Deb. I walk over to where Deb, Carl, and Michael are standing and listen to Deb start in on Michael.

“Michael, everyone has been looking for you. Do you realize what has been happening? You need to go home to Ben and fix everything before it’s too late.” She is talking to him like he's a child.

“Don’t worry Ma, I realized that I overreacted to the situation. I will apologize to everyone. In fact, I was just about to leave.” Michael is still smiling as he says this.

“See Carl, Michael is fine. Michael, we’ll wait for you, and take you home.” She tells him.

This is too easy. What is going on? Why is Daphne behind the counter?  Before I can question that, Michael walks to me and hugs me.

He looks at Emmett and I and says. “Look guys, I am so sorry for what happened, I was just feeling lost and vulnerable. I shouldn’t have done what I did.”

He walks to the door and ushers us out. Locks up and gets in Carl’s car with his mother.

Emmett looks at Daphne and me. “Do either of you believe any of that?”

“Guys we need to talk to Brian. There is no way after everything that happened that he suddenly ‘sees the light’.” She tells us.

Emmett and I burst out laughing. Daphne stares at us for a minute till she finally gets it. Then she starts to laugh along with us.

Chapter 9 by starlight

DAPHNE

I waited till Ted walked away. I need to figure out what Michael doing now. I looked under the counter and around the backroom. Nothing really interesting, then I see a book on how to pole dance. Strange, but nothing bad. When I turned to walk back I see Michael’s Captain Astro shirt but even I'm not that mean.

After the show and the laughter everyone separates and I go back to the loft. Justin is scrubbing a pot and Brian is on his computer.

“Hey guys, Deb got Michael to go home.” I tell them.

“Justin, just throw that away. It’s not mine anyway.” Justin gives him a dirty look and keeps scrubbing. Brian walks over to Justin and takes the pot from him. He walks to the windows facing the alley, opens it and throws it out the window.

“Really Brian? I just wanted to be able to return it.”  

You know I sometimes wonder how these two made it this far. I think it’s because Brian ignores Justin when he has these WASP moments.

“So what happened with Michael?” Justin asks me.

“He said he was just upset and handled it wrong. I think it’s possible, but who knows with him.” I tell them.

“Daph, he did go overboard, but I have done worse you know.” Justin tells me.

“Justin, you did the things you did to help people. Not to ruin a relationship.” I tell him.

Justin and I need to change the subject. I mean, we tell each other everything, and sometimes forget that not everyone else knows.

 

JUSTIN

Brian is looking at both Daphne and me. Why do I keep forgetting that he picks up on what you aren’t saying.

“Justin, is there something I need to know?”  He asks me.

Time to find something to change the subject. I stand here, really wishing for the dirty pot back while I try to think of something. Nothing is coming to me, no matter how hard I try. Think the puppy look would work? Me neither. Then Daphne, my woman, does the work for me.

“You know like when he worked on the campaign against Stockwell.”  That is my best friend, Michael could take lessons from her.

Brian nods but stares at me for a moment.  

“Oh. I thought maybe you two were talking about my little Sunshine and Kip.”

He knows? Wait, how does he know? I know I never told him, and neither would Daphne.

“Did you really think I wouldn’t find out? I decided that if you didn’t tell me, we didn’t need to discuss it.” Brian says, shrugging.

I’m good with that.

The door buzzes and I hope it’s the pizzas we ordered. When I open the loft door, I almost want to tackle the pizza guy for my food. I haven’t had time to eat much. I also figured with food in my mouth no one can ask any more questions.

Brian grabs his rabbit food and Daphne and I start to hoover the pizza.

“How did Michael seem to you?” Brian asks Daphne.

“He seemed apologetic, but even though he said all the right things to his mother, I don’t know. You know him better.”  She tells Brian.

“Deb and Ben need to handle this for now. I am still angry at Deb and I want Michael to understand that I won’t accept this from him.” Brian was looking at my face so I know it’s why.

“Brian, I’m not excusing what happened, but you know she wouldn’t have hit me if she hadn’t been worried about Michael.” Holding up my hand, I continue, “Before you say anything, I also am not saying you have to forgive anyone. I think Michael needs to deal with the mess he created without your help. But it can’t hurt to try to help without getting involved.” I tell both of them.

I know Daphne. She hasn’t yelled, beaten, or done anything to get anybody back yet, but it will happen. Brian, on the other hand, will just have people cease to exist in his eyes until he feels they have paid due penance for their stupidity.

Daphne gets up to leave and Brian walks her out to her car. I don’t want to talk about it anymore. I call my mother and ask her not to come over. After I hang up with her, I call the diner to talk to Rex, the manager. We agree that I can take the rest of the week off so everyone can cool down.

When I finish with my calls, I realize that Brian is still not back. Looking out the front windows, I see Daphne and him talking. Normally I would want to know, but I just need a break today.

 

BRIAN

It’s Monday morning, and normally I would grab a cup of coffee at the Diner, but I’m not in the mood for the Novotny’s this morning, so I go into Kinnetik early. Cynthia is already here and working.

“Morning Cynthia, anything I need to look at first this morning?” I ask her.

“Nope. All the boards have been finished. The new account sent the finished contracts already. I put your mail on your desk. I did find some flowers out front, delivery must have been early.” She then turns back to her computer.

I walk into my office and find this arrangement with multicolored daisies in a vase, they’re really awful. I pick up the card and it’s from Michael:

“Brian and Justin,

I want to apologize for my behavior and hope you can forgive me.

 

Michael”

I am worried about Michael, he’s my best friend. I just can’t excuse his behavior. Too many people got caught in the crossfire of it. Justin tried to convince me this morning to just let it go. He told me that maybe when he saw Ben and thought he was being cheated on he did what he always does and ran to me to protect him.

I know that I protect Michael, and that he does the same for me. I just see this as different. He was going out of his way to try and get rid of Justin. He didn’t care if he hurt anyone in this situation. I hope that he’s sincere in this, because from now on, Justin is going to come before Michael when I make decisions.

Cynthia buzzes me on the intercom, “Brian, Michael is here.” He can’t give me one day.

“Send him in.” I hope he isn’t expecting happy.

“Brian, good you got the flowers, make sure to give those to Justin. I actually bought them for him. I brought you a coffee and just wanted to say sorry about my craziness.” With that he exits the office.

What the hell was that? I ask if Ted is here, and tell Cynthia to get him. I’ll let him explain it to her.

“Morning Boss, I haven’t had time to get projections for the new account finished.”  Good old Ted, all business.

“We’ll get to that in a minute Ted. Michael was here brought me coffee, and Justin flowers. Any idea what he was thinking?” I need a second opinion because I just don’t know what to think.

“Did he say anything?” Ted asks me.

“Not a lot, just apologized for everything, and the coffee and flowers.” We are both puzzled.

“Any comments?’ I ask him.

“Nothing. Other than don’t give Justin the flowers. Isn’t he allergic to them?” Ted is right. If I gave this to Justin, it wouldn’t kill him, just cause his sinuses to act up.

Ted takes a picture of the flowers and sends it to Justin. My phone rings a couple of minutes later.

“Why do I have a picture of flowers from Ted?” He asks me.

“He wanted to make sure to show you his appreciation for this weekend.”  I tell him. Ted covers his face, and Justin is laughing.

“Actually Michael dropped these off with a card apologizing for this weekend.” I tell Justin. I want to hear what Justin thinks, because I am still skeptical about the whole situation.

“It’s really colorful, but if those are daisies, don’t bring them home, I’m allergic. I don’t think Michael knows that, so maybe he is trying to apologize.” He really does try to give people too much credit.

“Want to meet for lunch today? I took off from the diner for my last two shifts this week.” Justin asks me.

“How about you pick up something and meet me here. Bring something for Ted and Cynthia too. We have a new account and we are going to be having a working lunch.” I request.

I want to see him, and maybe throw some work at him for the money he will lose from not working at the diner.

“Okay, I’ll pick up some sandwiches for everyone. Be there around noon. Get the flowers out of your office before I get there, give them to one of the secretaries it will confuse them.” Justin hangs up and Ted and I get to work.  

Ted grabs the flowers gives them to the receptionist and tells her have a good morning.

We are all back in my office assigning the tasks for the week when Justin comes in with lunch. He starts to hand out everything when Michael comes into the office with a couple of bags.

“Hi everyone. I thought I would bring you lunch. Justin you can stay, I made a big lunch.”

Michael starts pushing all the papers out of the way. We all stand there watching as he pulls fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and slaw out of one bag and a cheese cake out of the next one. Justin, who could eat his sandwich and the rest of the food without gaining a pound is smiling.

“I have to go, I just wanted to make sure you guys were fed. Justin, my mom told me you were allergic to the flowers I sent, sorry, I didn’t know.” Michael once again just leaves.

“Boss, I think you have a problem.” Ted really does state the obvious.

I look over at Justin but he’s too busy stuffing a chicken leg in his mouth to care.

 

JUSTIN

I know I should concentrate on what is going on, but junk food and Brian don’t agree. I really want Brian to stay mad at Michael just so I get more. When Michael came over in the past, he always brought the good stuff, and that is when I get to eat my kind of food. I like Thai food and Chinese, but I miss the pizza and chicken.  

I look over at the other three and they are either in awe of my eating, or horrified, who cares.

“Justin, put down the gravy and listen for a minute.” Brian can’t be serious, they only give you a small amount of gravy.

“Two things, do you want to work with the art department to help with this campaign, and I need you to be home by six.” Brian asks, but it’s more like he tells me these things.

 

“I’ll help in the art department, but why do I need to be home by six? I will be, just, is there something going on?” I look at him, waiting for an answer.

“I’ll tell you at six. Be dressed. After lunch you can go to the art department tell Murph that you’re there to help.” That’s all he tells me. We finish lunch and I hide the gravy.

I appreciate Brian asking me to help him out at work. I can use the money since I took the rest of the week off from the diner.

When Ted and Cynthia leave to go back to their desks Brian walks me into his private bathroom and locks us in.

Chapter 10 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Sorry I took so long my favorite writers posted and I spent last night and all day reading.

JUSTIN

I got to the loft around 5, I wanted to have time to get ready for Brian. When I got there I saw Michael sitting outside on the sidewalk.

“Justin, I don’t know why but my key and code aren’t working. I need to get in. I have a surprise for Brian. I mean you and Brian.” Michael is standing there smiling.

I really think we need to explain what giving space means.

“Michael, we have to be somewhere in an hour so can you come over some other time.” I am starting to think crazy Michael is still in action.

“It will only take a couple of minutes. I promise then I’ll be out of your hair.” I can see the smile on his face starting to slip.

“Look, I really have to get ready and I’m sure you and Ben could use some time together. I’m going to just say this and I hope you understand. Brian and I really don’t want to deal with you right now.” I don’t want to be mean about this but he’s been all over the place today, and Ted felt we should try to be as honest with him as possible.

“You act like I am in the way. All I wanted was to make sure that Brian understands that I didn’t mean to cause all the problems. I can’t help how I feel, and if you and everyone had just given Brian and me a chance to talk, none of this would have happened. I mean, you provoke my mom and then everyone is mad at her. I know you like to be the center of attention, but if you had just let Brian and me talk when I asked, none of this would have happened.” Michael is getting louder.

I knew this wasn’t over, but you live in hope.

“Michael, you need to go home and stop this. It's getting you absolutely nowhere. I suggest you go home and take care of your family before you lose them.” I turn to the front door. Michael grabs me and yanks me back around to face him.

“You need to back the fuck off Justin. I was here every time Brian needed me and you ran away. Why don’t you do that now? MY FAMILY was better off before you, and will be better off when you leave. I am sick and tired of everyone acting like you’re so wonderful. We all have gone out of our way to help you and you throw it back in our faces. My mother is being treated like a leper. I can’t even spend time with MY friends. Not yours, mine, without having you butt in. Now I'm going to go tell Brian how you treated me here and you better be prepared to apologize when I get back.”

Michael turns, grabs some bag I didn’t see, and storms off. Hurricane Michael is on the loose again. I call Brian to warn him.

“Brian, Michael was at the loft and we had an argument about him coming in. He left and is on his way to you.” I don’t interfere with Michael and Brian for a reason, he doesn’t interfere in my friendship with Daphne.

“What happened? And no watered down version this time.” He tells me. I explained it all.

“Justin, I know this goes against everything you and I believe, but for now, if you see him, stay away.” He sounds really worried about this.

“I’ll try, but if today is any indication, that might be harder than you think.” I tell Brian honestly.

When is this going to end? Why do I always get stuck accommodating Michael?

“Justin, I’m not asking you to do anything but ignore him. Unless he doesn’t let you. I want you to know that I will back you no matter what happens.” I officially love Brian more than before.

“Are you going to be home on time?” I just want to change the subject.

“I’m on my way now. Michael will have to talk to the front door of Kinnetik.” We hang up and I start up the stairs to the loft.

On the way up, one of Brian’s downstairs neighbors stops me. What is her name? Kristy? Kathy? No, Kelly. Yeah that’s it, Kelly.

“Hey Justin, is that guy gone yet?” She asks me.

“Yes, I talked to him, he just left. Is everything okay?” I ask her.

“He was trying to come in with me. I’ve seen him before, but normally he has a key for the door. I figured that you guys must have not wanted him here if he couldn’t get in.” She tells me.

“If they can’t get in on their own, no they don’t need to be let in. Thank you for not letting him in.” I tell her.

“I almost did, but when I asked him why he couldn’t get in he said Brian hadn’t given him the new code and key. He asked for my code. When I told him no, he started to yell. Then he calmed and said he could wait for Brian.” She didn’t seem scared. For that I'm thankful. We waved good-bye and I went to the loft.

 

BRIAN

I told Ted what Justin told me, we both agree that he will watch for Michael. Normally I would be the one to handle things, but I think that by waiting for him, I would only encourage him. Where the hell is Ben? He married Michael, I didn’t. I walk to my car, and drive to the loft. I think Justin and I need a night out, just the two of us. I don’t think the diner is a good idea, too many friends. Justin wanted to try the new pasta bar that opened up near PIFA campus, so that's where we're going. Justin doesn’t expect a lot, he just wants to do something different every once in a while. My refusal to do that was what hurt us the first time. I thought he wanted us to be tied to each other and do romantic bullshit. What he really wanted was once or twice a month to do something, just us. If we had just talked, I wonder if the Ethan episode would have happened.

I walk into the loft and Justin is wearing my favorite outfit, well worn jeans and a baby blue sweater.

“Where are we going? I’ve been good, only asked once.” Justin was actually being really good about this, normally I get fifty texts and phone calls trying to find out.

“The pasta bar, the one near PIFA.” I love that smile.

 

TED

I left right behind Brian, I decided that Michael wasn’t going to be my problem tonight. I did want to find out where Ben has been though, so I called his cell.

“Ben, Ted. How are you?” I’m fishing to see what he is going to say.

“As well as can be expected. Michael moved out last night after he got home. He said that we need some space.” Ben tells me.

Wait. When we dropped him off, he told us that he was going to try to make things right with Ben. What is he doing?

“Ben, do you need Emmett and me to come over?” I offer, because I like Ben.

“No, I need to help Hunter with this and I think too many people will just make it harder.” Ben tells me.

“We’re here for you. Just call if you need us.” I hang up and call Emmett. I want to give Brian and Justin a night off.

“Emmett, you busy?” I always make sure he has a way of letting me know who’s around.

“Hey Baby, I was just about to head out, want to meet me somewhere?” Either Deb or Michael are there.

“Sure. Michael or Debbie in front of you?” I really don’t want to deal with them tonight.

“Both” He tells me.

I hear him tell them that he has a date and will see them later. Michael asks if he can come. Emmett tells him that when he dates, it’s only two people.

“Hey, just pick me up down the block.” Emmett hangs up.

When I get to him he hops in and tells me to go. I look over and there is Michael running down the street. We can’t go to my place, or really anywhere he knows.

“Teddy, why don’t we pick up some take out and hang out at Daphne’s. She said that she was going to be home all night.” He offers as a safe house. I nod. He calls her and she gives him her food order.

I think he just wants to find out the gossip and spread it. I want to tell him, but Daphne might not be the best person, because she wants to guarantee that Michael never reproduces again. Actually, part of me agrees with her.

I had a huge thing for Michael once, he could do no wrong.

Brian was an asshole because he jerked Michael around and clung to him. It encouraged Michael to keep his distance in relationships, waiting for his one chance at Brian.

After the Dr. Dave, I let go and started to live my life. That’s why I can’t condone what Michael is doing. I understood that he didn’t love me the way I wanted him to. Michael on the other hand, while he seemed to accept Justin, was still trying to run Brian’s life.

 

EMMETT

When Teddy called, Michael was telling his mother that he needed to give Ben time. After the things that went on they both agreed to give each other space. After talking to Ted in the car, I found out that apparently Michael just walked in and moved out. I need to find out what is going on and I promised Daphne that I would keep her informed, so we are on our way to her.

The three of us are sitting in the living room eating Chinese as Ted tells us about Michael at Kinnetik and at the loft with Justin. I think it is safe to say that last night we were in the eye of the hurricane and now we are about to see the back side come over us.

“Why would he bring all the presents and food though? I mean Michael doesn’t normally do that, right?” Daphne asks us.

“No. It seemed like a peace offering and he didn’t even stick around. He handed the stuff to us and left. Until he was alone with Justin, then he started back up.” Ted tells us.

We just sit there, trying to figure out what he’s doing, but we are at a loss.

 

BRIAN

After dinner, Justin and I decide that we want to go dancing. I do not hide from anyone. I am not asking Justin to either. I explain that to him so he doesn’t get the idea that I want him to let Michael get away with anything. I just want to avoid conflict till Michael gets it under control.

I walk to the bar and ask if Ted has been in. They tell me that Lo is in, Ted’s new assistant manager. I forgot that she was starting tonight. Justin saw a guy he dances with and took off into the crowd. I look for the new assistant manager to see if she needs anything. We hired her from another club, she was organized and turned the club around in under a month. I wanted her because she wasn’t going to club while at work like the last guy we hired. I get up to the office and see her watching the cameras.

“Anything happening tonight?” I ask her.

“Everything normal so far. That your boy?” She asks, as she points at Justin dancing.

“That’s Justin.” I try to not refer to him as a boy too much. It pisses him off.

“Ted told me to look for him so I knew who he was.“ She shrugs. “Look everyone is a boy, even you.”

I give her instructions and ask if she needs any help. She looks up from the screen and shakes her head. Before I get out the door, she calls me back.

“You ever seen him before?” Shit, it’s Michael.

 

JUSTIN

I was dancing with Milo, while Brian went upstairs. Milo is my opposite in the looks, he has dark hair, big brown eyes and is actually shorter. We have been friends for a while since we both go to PIFA. His boyfriend had to work so he was glad when we came in.  

I had turned to look up to see if Brian was coming yet when I got hip checked. I look up and there’s Michael. He starts to do some kind of dance around Milo, who looks perplexed by the whole thing. Michael’s dancing is like Brian’s, they sway or follow the lead of whoever they’re with. Since Milo is standing still, Michael is just bopping to his own tune. Another guy walks up to me and starts trying to dance with me, and here comes Michael again. Milo and I just walk away. Brian is at the bar watching and hands me some water.  

We see Michael look around. When he sees Brian he comes over to us.

“Sorry to steal your tricks Justin.” What the hell?

“It’s fine Michael.” I humor the mad man.

I have always heard not to try to rationalize with crazy people, just agree. While the doctor gets the orderlies with the straight jacket.

Brian hands me the car keys and tells me to get in the car. I guess the hands off policy is over. I start making my way out when this 5 foot 2 maybe, woman walks up to me.

“Hi Justin. I’m Lo, the new night manager. Brian wanted me to make sure that we met.” She’s adorable.

“Nice to met you and I will probably see you around.” I tell her.

I was about to go when I see Michael coming towards me. He looks angry. He pushes past Lo and is about to say something as he’s reaching for me. She grabs his arm and twists it behind his back. Michael is telling her to stop or he’ll get her fired. She tells him go ahead. She pushes him into Alex, one of the bouncers and tells him to get him out.

Okay, I will not make this woman mad. She walks by, pats me on the shoulder and walks away as if none of it happened.

Chapter 11 by starlight

 

 

 

 

BRIAN

After seeing Michael on the screen, I know something is going to happen.

“His name is Michael. Normally he is one of my friends, but he is having some personal issues with Justin, so I need to keep them apart. I am going to send Justin out so I can talk to Michael. Can you introduce yourself to Justin and make sure he gets out?” I ask Lo.

I know Justin can handle himself and deal with Michael, but I don’t want him to have to.

Once I reach the bar, I see Justin and Milo walking towards me. I get some water for Justin, then look to see what Michael is doing. I think he was trying to dance with Gary. Gary goes for young and blonde, and has been after Justin forever. I don’t think Justin has ever really noticed Gary. I know they’ve danced once or twice but beyond that Justin thanks him and walks away. Gary is staring at Michael for a minute then just walks off.

Michael sees me and comes over. He apologizes to Justin for stealing his tricks. Like that would happen. Michael is cute, in a boy next door way, but he just doesn’t project sexy. I mean look at the relationships he’s had. Dave and Ben. Both are nice guys, good jobs, and looking to settle down. Ben is beautifully made, but beyond that he is boring. I don’t say this like it’s a bad thing. If you want a husband, Ben is great, he will be everything you need. If you want excitement, Zen Ben is not your man. I want to be a good partner to Justin, but we are never going to be the Beaver’s parents.

I ask Justin to go to the car, because after I say what I need to say to Michael, we are going home.

“What the hell is going on with you Michael? First the wifely visits all day, then the crap at the loft with Justin, and now you’re here instead of home talking to your husband.” I need him to explain this. He isn’t going to have a marriage left if he doesn’t go home.

“Look, I wanted to say sorry for behaving like an ass. I mean I got the flowers and food for that reason. I brought over something for dinner tonight not knowing you two had plans, but instead of letting me in, Justin acts like a jackass. I have always been allowed in the loft, and he is ordering me around like he owns you. What did I do out on the dance floor that was so horrible? I can’t help that the guys Justin was dancing with preferred me.” It all sounds logical, but I know better.

“Michael, I need you to back off for a while. Justin and I have had an awful couple of days ‘due to you’. Why aren’t you at home?” The last part is what I really want to know, because Ted made it sound like Michael was going to talk to Ben.

“Ben wants time, and really I don’t know how I feel about him anymore. I love Hunter and don’t want him hurt, but I can’t keep living a life I don’t want.” Michael tells me.

“Michael, I don’t know what you want from me. I need you to understand this, if I ever decide to commit to someone, it isn’t going to be with you. I love you as a friend and I want my friend back. I miss that person. Right now you have alienated everyone but your mother. You need to stop before this gets worse.” I want to say more to him, but he turns and stomps off.

I watch him go towards the other bar. It was time for Justin and I to go home. I turn to tell Kyle to call if they need me. Kyle tells me to remind Ted that the ice machine is acting up at the third bar. I have no idea, I let Ted handle those things. Kyle then points toward the door. Crap, what is Michael doing? I run toward the door but stop when I see Lo, she caught Michael and twisted his arm behind him and takes him to one of the bouncers to get Michael out. I stand in there, staring in awe. Michael had about 7 inches on her and probably fifty pounds, but she had him out the door. She walks by Justin, pats him and comes to me.

“Look, your friend, I know he hasn’t done anything, but I just didn’t want a fight at the front door. He is outside and according to Alex, is screaming at everyone. What do you want me to do?” She asks me.

“I’ll handle it. Thanks for what you did. By the way, how did you manage that?” I ask, because let’s face it, when I see her I don’t think, brute strength.

“Brian, I have four brothers. They love me but they also know that they couldn’t be with me every second of my life. My oldest brother Al, taught me to defend myself and stop people. All the rest of them taught me how to fight. I couldn’t run a club full of drunks if I didn’t learn to subdue them. Good night.” I watch her walk away and head toward some queen who is crying.

I get to the door and Justin is standing there with Aaron, one of the door guys. They look like they are making a bet. As I get closer I hear Justin.

“Fifty we hear him tell Alex he’s Brian best friend first.” Justin bets Aaron.

“Fifty it’s 'Brian is going to fire you'.” Aaron bets Justin.

I pick up my phone and decide it’s time to call in the mom.

“Deb, either you or Carl needs to come get Michael, he is yelling in front of the club.” I tell her.

“I’ll send Carl, and thank you for calling me. Sorry about all of this.” I pull the phone from my ear and look at it to make sure I’ve called Deb.

“Deb is that really you?” I mean I have been the asshole for the last few days.

“Yes, Asshole. I need to talk to you. Not about Michael, but about me. Can I come over tomorrow?” Deb asks me.

“Yes Mother. but you’ll have to come to Kinnetik. I’m still angry about Justin but I will listen.” That is the best I can do.

“Good. That’s all I ask. Carl said that he should be there in a couple of minutes. Night Brian.” We hang up, just in time for Michael to shout.

“Brian Kinney is my best friend and he is going to fire you for treating me like this.”

Justin and Aaron scratch their heads. I assume it’s because they aren’t sure who won the bet. I walk up behind Justin and rest my chin on his shoulder.

“Was the bet what he said first, or was it he was going to say one thing or the other?” I ask.

“One or the other, so I guess we both lost, since he said both.” Justin tells me and Aaron nods.

Carl finally shows up and Michael stops in his tracks. Carl points to the front seat and looks over at us and waves. Thank God. We can finally go home.

 

CARL

The phone rings just as I walk in and Deb answers, putting it on speaker. I realize it’s about Michael. After Brian tells her someone needs to come get Michael and Deb gets Brian to agree to talk to her, she hangs up. I have already made my feelings clear on all this and she knows I will not listen if she defends Michael at this point. I was angry about the fight. I know she didn’t mean to hit Justin and even Justin knows it, but everyone is sensitive about his head. She knows that I will listen when she is being reasonable.

“Carl, when you get Michael, drop him off at the store and tell him he can come over for meals and baths, but other than that I don’t want him here until he gets his life together.” Deb is in tears.

“I’ll handle it Sweetheart. And if you change your mind and want him here, call and I’ll bring him.” I’m not heartless. What Michael is doing isn’t rational.

I talked to Ben and found out the truth. Ben told me that he thinks Michael misinterpreted what he saw and that is why he is clinging to Brian. I told Ben that if this out of control reaction is Michael’s way of handling things, they need to look at getting Michael some outside help.

When I pull up to Babylon, there is Michael, yelling until he sees me. He stops. I point to the car and he gets in without another word. I wave to the boys and get in the car. At this point there is nothing to say so I drive to his store and stop.

“Why are we here? I don’t need anything here, let’s go to Ma’s.” He tells me.

“Your mother told me to tell you that you can come for meals and showers but that is all she is willing to do at the moment.” Michael looks at me as if waiting for a punchline.

“Ma wouldn’t say that. Just take me home Carl.” He really thinks I’m kidding.

“Sorry Michael, but she was willing to help you till tonight. You went too far.” He finally gets out and goes to the shop door and goes in. Believe it or not, driving off, I feel off doing it, but I do it, for Deb.

 

DEBBIE

I was upset when Michael showed up this afternoon to tell me that he and Ben were separating. I understood Ben needing the space. Look at the mess in the wake of my son. I called Ben to tell him I understood that he need time but not to close the door on Michael yet. Ben informs me that after we dropped Michael off, he packed and left. The only thing said was that Michael needed space. When I hung up, that was the moment when I knew I had to stop trying to blame everyone else.

I didn’t talk to anybody or even try for a couple of hours, because I needed to think. I wanted to make sure that when I did talk to someone, that instead of blaming everyone else, I put the blame where it belongs.

I called Jen first and surprisingly it went really well. I told her the only one to blame for what I did to Justin was me and that I would understand if she was still angry. She told me that if I ever raised a hand to Justin again we would be done. After that she then asked if I had seen the news segment yet. I told her Emmett had it recorded. We started to laugh about Ben standing there while we circled around him. I think I’ve got my friend back. We are meeting for drinks at Woody’s tomorrow.

When Brian called I let him tell me about Michael and then I asked to speak to him. He is willing and I will make the most of the situation.

 

MICHAEL

I was hurt that Ma didn’t want me home, but then I realized that now I have more time for practice. I start looking at the book about pole dancing. I figure I’ll try to practice each move until I have it down. I open the book and start to read it. My eyes stray to the new Superman comic and I need something more entertaining right now so I grab it and start reading.

 

TUESDAY

 

BRIAN

I warned Cynthia that Deb was going to be on her way today. Justin told me last night that he wants me to let it go. If he isn’t mad why should we be. I know that he wasn’t really hurt, the bruise is almost gone. I was raised with abuse and it shapes your thinking. When I see that porcelain skin marred, I see Jack.

I talked to Jen about it later and she told me being mad was one thing, but going to jail was stupid on her part. I asked if she would have done it differently and got ‘hell no’. We both started laughing.

I walk into my office and start going through memos and notes. Five minutes later I see Michael at Cynthia’s desk he hands her a basket and walks out. She looks in, then brings it in.

“Michael said to give this to you.” She hands me the basket and walks back out.

Opening it, I see muffins and a thermos with coffee in it. What is he doing? Ted walks in and looks, grabs a muffin and sits down. Justin comes in, sees muffins and attacks. While Justin is doing his best chipmunk impression, Ted starts going over financials.

Nobody says a word about the basket so I just let it slide, because Justin looks like he just went to heaven when he gets to his third muffin.

“Ted, Deb is going to be here later this afternoon, can you be here?” He looks at his palm pilot nods yes.

So the rest of the morning is filled with callbacks and checking boards. Justin is in the art department helping out. I see him looking out the front around noon. I go over to check what he’s doing. He tells me he was trying to figure out what to do for lunch. I look at him and then the parking lot and ask why he is look out there. He smiles and says that if Michael showed up then he would just wait because Michael brings the good stuff. I am so glad he is enjoying my misery.

I turn him and walk him back to the art department and over to his desk, when I see two more muffins sitting there. I look at them and him and he mumbles something about snacks. Out of pure spite for not feeling my pain I grab one, unwrap it, stuff the whole thing in my mouth and walk off. I hear a whimper, now he feels my pain.

Chapter 12 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I just wanted Ted to have some love too. 

BRIAN

When Deb walks in, Emmett is behind her helping her carry some bags. Behind them is Justin, doing his happy dance. Guess he is getting fed again. I lead them into the conference room. Why do they always have to bring so much food? When Deb is upset she cooks. When Deb is happy she cooks. Get the picture here? Justin runs in and hugs Deb, says hi to Emmett and grabs the food.

“Hey Sunshine, I brought you some chocolate mousse for dessert.” Justin stops piling food on his plate to look for it.

“Deb, this is great but we do need to talk.” I need to get the Novotny’s under control or Justin is going to go into food coma.

“Brian, let me talk first. You know I love you and Justin, and the way I reacted was wrong. I can’t see my child hurt and not want to find a reason. I promised Carl that before I react I am going to try to find out what is going on. It isn’t going to perfect and I will screw up, but I promise to try.” She finishes and looks at me trying to gage my reaction.

“Deb, sorry is bullshit and you know that. It’s your actions that will tell me you’re sincere. I won’t believe you until you show me. I will not get involved in helping Michael. He will see anything helpful on my part as showing him love.” I want her to get this.

“I understand, but he needs his friends… Sorry, I understand.” At least she is trying.

Justin sat at the conference table, looking around still. Then I see his eyes narrow at Emmett.

“Where’s the mousse?” Justin asks.

“I put it in the cooler in the break room to keep it cold.” Justin runs out of the room. We hear him screaming 'NO'.

Emmett walks out to see and comes back. “The others got to it first.”

Justin walks over to Deb and hugs her sniffling, his head on her shoulder. She promises to make more for him. The twat and I are going to have a conversation on how he uses his twink superpowers. Deb is just about to leave when we see Michael walk up to reception and hand them a basket, then he turns around and leaves.

“What is he doing?” Deb asks.

“This is what he has been doing for two days. He brings stuff in and leaves.” I see Justin brighten.  How does he stay so slim?

 

DEBBIE

I know I brought a lot of food, but I left a lot at home. I want to make sure that I make things right. Michael is in trouble and he needs all of us.

When Michael walked in my first instinct was to go to him, but he is gone before anybody says anything. Cynthia brings in the basket and Justin opens it. He smiles as he sees brownies and cookies. I pull out the sandwiches and chips. Why is Michael feeding Brian?

I leave Brian so he can get back to work and go to see Carl. I tell Carl about the what Michael has been doing each day. Carl tells me that that is harmless and not to worry about the small stuff. I was going to take some food to Michael but if he is busy feeding Brian, he can come to me. I brought some food into the station for Carl and his guys too.

After lunch I go over to the college, I need to talk to Ben. I walk in his office and there is someone sitting in the chairs in front of him. I figure I could wait for them to finish first.

 

BEN

I went to my office after class. I cancelled my last class and assigned a research project for discussion next week. I was hurt and confused, but now I am just pissed. Michael is acting like he did before when Brian and Justin broke up. He ran everywhere with Brian and it got to the point where I was ready to go on without him. We stayed together, and our relationship improved. Michael has issues with change and we all coddle him until he gets through it. I don’t think I’m willing to do that this time.

Nick was at my office door with lunch. He feels bad that Michael is acting like this, but he isn’t to blame.

“Any changes Ben?” We have been talking a lot. I needed someone outside the family.

“He packed and left. No calls, he said he needed space. He didn’t even try to talk to me.” I tell him.

“Do you really want to deal with all that? It sounds like he would rather be with the other guy.” I had told him about the history of Brian and Mikey.

“When I met him he was really sweet, we had problems, but I really believe that the HIV was the issue. I would have been more worried if he had accepted it without thought. What changed in the last couple of days? Your guess is as good as mine.” I tell Nick.

“I will say that if you were single, I wouldn’t mind.” He smiles at me.

“Well he isn’t, and you aren’t going to help the situation if you think flirting with him, where anybody can hear, is fine.” Deb comes in and I introduce them.

Nick gets up and starts to walk to the door. He turns to Deb.

“I don’t know you or your son but I have known Ben for years. Your son doesn’t deserve him if this is how he treats him. Later Ben.” Deb and I watch him walk out.

“Ben, I need you to help with Michael. I know what he is doing is wrong, but you still love him.” I know she is trying to help, but I think this is part of the problem, every time Michael gets in trouble we all let it slide.

“He asked for time, and I have more important things to woprry about than Michael. He hurt Hunter and hasn’t even gone to see JR since this started. I suggest you worry about them and let Michael sink or swim. I am done coddling him.” I steer Deb out and shut the door.

 

JUSTIN

I think I have died and gone to food heaven. Brian needs to at least see the benefits in everyone being sorry, I sure do. Although if I find out that Murph took the mousse, I might not be so forgiving. I left Kinnetik and headed to school, I have class tonight.

Class was really boring and I think I zoned out. I like Art History, but I have other things going on. Class was over and I was packing up when this guy comes in and is talking to the teacher. They point at me. He walks over and introduces himself.

“Hi Justin, I’m Nick Alexander. I wanted to talk to you about an opening in my department. Do you have time?” He asks.

“Sure, just let me call my boyfriend, he is coming pick me up.” I tell him as I call Brian.

“Brian, I have a meeting with a teacher. Something about a job. Give me about an hour and meet me by the student union.” I hang up and ask where he wants to go.

We go to his office and he explains about the teacher’s aide position. That I will not only get credit for doing it, but it will pay some of the tuition cost. It sounds great, but I still need to keep the diner job. I tell him I’ll let him know after I talk to Brian. We were leaving and he offered to walk with me across campus.

When we got to the student union, I see Brian and decide to introduce them.

“That’s Brian, let me introduce you two.” We go towards him.

“What the hell are you doing with him?” Brian says with a glare.

“This is the professor that offered me a teacher’s aide job. Nick, this is Brian.” This is confusing.

“He’s also the guy Ben left with.” Brian tells me.

“Wait a minute. I don’t know what Michael told you but Ben and I are old college friends, and that is all.” Nick looks like he is ready to fight with Brian.

This has to stop, I grab Brian and tell him to remember that no matter what went on, it is no one but Michael who has made this worse. Brian calms down and we leave for Woody’s to meet Ted.

 

TED

Brian left to go get Justin, so I sit with Emmett and we play tops and bottoms. Fifteen minutes later we see them come in and get drinks. We all sit around while Justin tells us about Nick. Small world, but then everyone knows everyone. Brian goes to play pool while we talk about nothing in general.

We were sitting here trying to decide if we wanted to go to Babylon when Ben comes in with a guy that makes Ben look plain. I point to him and Justin tells me that is the guy. Emmett being the ‘hostess with the mostest’ walks over and invites them over.

“Hey Ben” I say, but the whole time I am staring at the guy with him.

“Ted, Justin, Emmett. This is Nick.” We all shake hands.

I notice that Nick looks over to Brian and then back at Justin.

“He’s fine. Just don’t expect warm fuzzies from him. Ben, you doing okay?” Justin asks.

“I want to have one night without the crap. If we can’t I will understand, but I just need to not deal.” Ben is really stressed.

We all agree to leave it alone. Justin and Nick talk about what he’ll be doing as a teacher’s aide. Emmett looks a little disappointed. That lasted for about two minutes, before he sees a beefy guy and runs off.

Brian and Ben start to play pool together. Justin wanders over to mess with Brian’s game. You know I am over the whole naked thing, but every once in awhile... Nick then turns to me.

“What do you do Ted?” He really is gorgeous.

“CFO of Kinnetik. I work for Brian.” I tell him.

“Like your job and boss?” What is he asking me.

“Yes. It’s been interesting to get into a company from the start and see it rise. Before Kinnetik, I was an accountant and web site owner. When I hit rock bottom, Brian helped me get on my feet.” I tell him.

“Seeing anyone?” Is that like a come on, God I hope so.

“No. You?” Please be a come on.

He doesn’t answer at first, then he grabs a pen writes something down and hands it to me. Then he leans over and whispers, “I’m free this weekend.” Kisses my cheek and walks over to Ben, tells him bye and starts out the door. Justin is walking by, Nick stops him and they walk out the door.

 

JUSTIN

I was going to the bar to get some water when Nick stops me and asks if I can walk him out. We get outside and he hands me a blank schedule from his pocket and tells me to fill in when I could be available to work and get it back to him.

Brian and I talked about it in the car, when I told him about the credits and tuition reduction, he said that it was a no brainer. I actually could cut down on my hours at the diner, because Brian pays for everything and I was using the money to pay as much as I could for college. With the credit hours it also means that I could finish faster and that the rest of my internship hours would be done. I tell Nick I’ll have it for him tomorrow.

He asks me about Ted. I stood there a little dumbfounded. I’m used to people asking about Brian, Ben, Emmett, and I’ve even had people ask about Michael, but never Ted. I smile, because although Ted is plain and sometimes boring, he is still a great guy. I tell him that if he likes opera and ‘couple’ kind of dates that Ted is awesome. He smiles and says to tell Ted to call him.

I bounce my way to Ted, and pat him on the back.

“You better call him. I told him you were awesome.” Ted looks at me, and they say I can smile.

Brian comes over and sits, grabs me and pulls me onto his lap. I tell him about Nick and Ted. He tells Ted to go for it. Then asks if he needs any pointers. Ted laughs and says that dating wasn’t something Brian could help with. Brian sticks his tongue out and then says maybe not, but obviously he can do something right if I am still around.

We sit there for a second then Ted bursts out laughing, saying something about working out at the gym and eighteen year olds. Not sure what that was about.

 

MICHAEL

I was following Justin around. I wanted to ask him for some help. I figured he thinks we are good. I mean all the things I have been doing, the flowers and food. I wanted to get him to work on Rage so I could make the new stories. I waited out in the hallway to try to catch him when I see the guy. I backed around a corner to wait. Justin and that guy walk down the hall to an office and go in, shutting the door. I couldn’t hear anything but what could they be doing in there for an hour? At least I know the guy’s name. I wait back down the hall again to see them pass me. They walk to the student union area and I see Brian. I want to run to him and tell him about it. After a couple of minutes, they all part and leave. I missed my chance.

I head to Liberty to see if Emmett or Ted is around. I wanted to get my act together for the contest, but well, I got bored with it. I figure I could get Emmett to dance with me so I could try some moves. When I get closer to Woody’s I see Ben and Nick walk in and decide to wait across the street. My ma wants me to talk to Ben and I decided that if my plan is successful than I will be with Brian. Why bother muddying the waters. I love Ben, and he has been a great husband to me. I sometimes start to doubt myself because he deserves someone who can love him the way I feel about Brian. When I saw him with Nick, all I could think is, why can’t I be enough for someone?

Looking back at the bar, I see Justin come out with Nick. Nick hands him something they talk and then Justin is smiling and seems excited. They part with Justin practically bouncing in. What do these guys see in Justin? My first instinct is to go tell Brian that Justin is on the prowl again. But then I smile. Looks like Justin is going to play the field again.

I decide that I need to practice my dancing.

 

TED

We are walking out of Woody’s and I had quizzed Ben all about Nick. He was laughing at me. I know I sound like a virgin on prom night, as Emmett would say, but since Blake I have been in a dry spell. I want to call him, but Brian tells me to wait till tomorrow, you know, he might realize that he was talking to me. I flick Brian off. I offer Ben a ride, we lost Emmett to 'beefy guy'. Ben accepts and I am all over him about Nick.

Ben tells me to call Nick, then he gets out and goes into his house. I decide I am going to go for it. I call him and he gives me directions to his house. I get there, he offers me a drink and we sit in his living room. I like his house but I’m nervous so I start looking at his cd’s. I start rambling when I feel him come up behind me. Let’s just say, if I need any advice on men, Brian can go fuck himself.   

End Notes:

Any suggestions on King of Babylon, let me know still haven't gotten it where I want it.

Chapter 13 by starlight

 

 

JUSTIN

I’m a little disappointed this morning, nothing from Michael. I hitched a ride with Brian to Kinnetik, figured I’d check out the food situation. I just told Brian that I wanted to see the boards that I had been helping with. I don’t think he bought it though.

I stopped by the diner and picked up some food. I needed to talk about my schedule anyway. Emmett was sitting there with some guy, I waved but didn’t want to bother him. Deb was there getting coffee started and smiled at me. She told me to check in the refrigerator. MOUSSE. Can I just say, people love me. Brian said that if they loved me too much he was going to exchange me for a different model. I told him to kiss my ass, and boy did he.

I walked to the bus stop to get to school. I relooked at the schedule I was going to hand in to Nick.

I wanted to make sure that I didn’t overschedule it. A shadow fell over me. Lovely, Michael.

“Hey Justin, I was wondering if you want to work on Rage. I have a couple story ideas.” What is he up to now?

I wanted to tell him no, but Daphne suggested to use whatever he tried to my advantage. We are still trying to figure out what he’s doing.

“I don’t have a lot of time right now. I just got an internship at the school to add to my list but if you want to call or email me, I’ll try.” I tell him.

“I’ll email you.” He says then walks off.

God only knows what he is going to come up with now. I get to the school and go to Nick’s office to drop off the schedule. I hear him in his office, but with the door closed I figure that I can wait. Ten minutes later I was thinking about just putting it in an envelope and taping to the door. I start to look for an envelope when I hear a thump, I hope he’s alright. I grab the door and open it. Let’s just say they should have locked it.

“Theodore, shouldn’t you be at work?” I try not to laugh, but well. Ted is a top apparently.

 

BRIAN

I was going through notes for the day when my phone rings.

“Guess who's a top.” Justin says.

“Justin, I’m working, this better be good.” I tell him.

He then tells me that Ted is going to be late, and how he knows. Go Ted. I hang up and have to give it to Ted. Nick is someone I would have bent over my desk too.

I have been sitting here waiting for ‘my wife’ to show, but so far he has stayed away. Cynthia comes in to go over the day. She asks if I have seen Ted yet, I tell her no, I haven’t, but apparently Justin has seen a whole lot of Ted this morning.

Ted finally shows up, I take one look at him and give him a thumbs up. You know, for being 35 he still can blush.

 

MICHAEL

When I saw Justin at the bus stop, I figured I could try to get my Rage idea off the ground. He didn’t say he would do it, but we’ll see.

I was practicing last night and my back has a twinge in it. I tried to do the backbend that Justin did, but after I bent over I couldn’t get back up. I miss David, he could have fixed this. I decided against bringing Brian breakfast this morning, I think Justin is just eating it all.

I also figure I should go see JR and maybe Hunter before Ma says anything. I want to make sure that everything seems normal. I really miss my little honeybun. Making my way to the girl’s house, I am still trying to think of a song.

Mel opens the door and is helping Gus into a jacket and Lindsey has JR, I ask where they are going. They look at me like it should be obvious.

“The kids are going to daycare and we have to work Michael. What are you doing?” Mel asks.

“I want to see JR, why don’t I just take her with me and drop her off in a couple hours.” I offer. I figure I can take her to see Ma.

“Michael, we are going to work, which means that you can’t drop her off to us.” Mel says it slowly.

“Well I can take her for the day and save you the time.” All they have to do is ask. I mean, can’t they understand that I am offering help.

Mel looks to Lindsey, who just shrugs.

“Okay Michael. Here, take her bag, it should have everything in it.” She seems like she is trying to find a reason not to give it to me.

 

MEL

I want to say no, but then the little fucker will try to say that we are keeping JR from him. I look to Lindsey, she shrugs. We give Michael her things and I offer him a ride with us. He has us drop her off at Deb’s house, so I feel a little better about this.

After he is out of the car, I call Deb just to make sure she’s there. She answers just as Michael is coming in and tells me she is off so she’ll be there.

“Mel, do you think with everything going on, that he should be caring for her? I mean if Brian had been her father than...” I cut Lindsey off.

“Lindsey didn’t we discuss this the other day?” This is the first time I have had to say anything to her, hopefully she’ll take it well.

“Sorry, I wasn’t thinking. I know that he hasn’t harmed anyone, but the harassment isn’t much better.” She is looking back at Gus.

We have done really well so far, after the fight, we stayed home. I told her that this weekend was a gang free weekend. I figured if anything went on we would get a call, and nothing, and now it’s Wednesday.

 

LINDSEY

I wanted to snap at Mel when she stopped me, but we agreed to start talking to each other and stop anything that would cause unnecessary stress. I was going to call Justin to see if anything had been going on, but she told me no gang. Maybe I can call Emmett to see if anything has been happening.

We drop off Gus and I head into the gallery. Sydney is on to wife number four. She thinks she knows art and has been ordering all of us around. I had hoped she could stay home, but no. So I guess I won’t have time to call Emmett.

While I rehung the painting that just had to be moved back to where it was, Sydney walked by and asked if I could call Emmett for him. Here’s my chance.

“Emmett, it’s Lindsey, Sydney wanted you to stop by, I think he wants to use you for a party.” I wait, hoping after he tells me he can, that he will give me the gossip.

“Sure Sweety, I should be able to stop by around 2.” Then he hangs up.

I was disappointed, because I know I could talk to Michael, but Emmett is better with the details. I let Sydney know and go to rehang the same painting again.

When Emmett arrives, I ask him if he has time to talk when he’s done. He smiles and said yes. I wait and apparently number four is having a huge dinner party and wants it done to the max. Good God, she took till closing with Emmett.

Mel calls and says that she is running late and that we need someone to get Gus. I call Brian to see if he can get Gus and bring him to my house. Brian tells me that he’ll get Gus, but since he hasn’t seen his son in a while he wanted to take him home, and Mel could pick him up. I agree, because I figure Emmett could fill me in on everything I missed. I call Mel back and tell her to meet me at Deb’s and that we would go get Gus from there.

Emmett tells me everything, including things I don’t need to know about his date. It was fun. I miss the times when we could just run around. We finally get to Deb’s and I can hear JR giggling when we walk in.

“Hey, look who is here JR.” Deb is telling JR.

“Where’s Michael?” He told us he wanted to see her.

“He’s been in and out all day.” Deb tells us, but I get the feeling she isn’t telling us the truth.

We sit down at the kitchen table and Deb sets food down in front of us. I appreciate that, because I really didn’t want to have to cook and I know Deb is going to send us home with food too.

 

EMMETT

After getting out of the office with Valerie, or number four as Lindsey call her, I am ready for a break and gossip. Lindsey and I take the bus and walk the rest of the way to Deb’s, all the while I fill her in on everything. Lindsey is quiet when I am done so I must have done a good job.

We were in the kitchen eating when I looked around and realized how much food Deb has been making. Looks like she and I are going to have a lot to talk about. Mel finally arrives and the girls go. Mel looked around for a minute at the food. They need to look at it the way I do, no worries about midnight snacks.

After they are all gone Deb turns on QVC, that is a bad sign.

“Okay Deb, what gives.” I look at her and she just pulls a can of whip cream from the cushion and does a shot.

“Michael showed up with JR, stayed for an hour and then left. I didn’t want to say anything to the girls. They let him change their plans and instead of spending time with her, he leaves. That wouldn’t have been so bad, but he told me he was going to work.” Deb takes another shot.

“Deb, he does have to work and you know you love having JR.” I am going to have to wrestle that can out of her hands.

“That isn’t it. JR is more than welcome to stay with me. It’s just when I called a couple hours later to see if he was coming back, he wasn’t there, Hunter was. I asked Hunter where Michael was and he told me that Michael called him to see if he could watch the shop for the day.” Deb tells me.

Michael and I are going to have to have a talk. Deb just got Brian and Jen to forgive her. She has been running herself ragged trying to save Michael. Carl is not going to help. The man loves Deb but even he is tired of the continuing chaos.

I pat Deb and take the can. I tell her I will deal with Michael and she needs to rest, no more cooking. We are going to have to have people over in order to get rid of all the food.

I call Teddy to see if he has time for operation Michael and he tells me that he is working on operation Nick. Interesting. I can’t call Justin, Brian will kill me. That leaves my favorite.

Chapter 14 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I am working on chapter 15 and 16 might be a while thanks for hanging in there.

DAPHNE

I was finishing with my homework when Emmett called. He wanted to see if we could find Michael. Part of me wants to ask if he is crazy to call me. If it was up to me, I would just kick Michael’s ass. Since I apparently have no life and I don’t have any classes tomorrow I figured Em and I could play mission stupid together. I pick up Emmett at Deb’s. We started at the diner, then Woody’s, and then on to the gay mecca, Babylon. I see Justin talking to Milo, and figured I’d go say hi.

“Justin, everything okay?” With this bunch you never know what is going on.

Justin fills me in on the 'wifey visits’ as Brian is calling them, and then tells me about the comic thing. I miss so much some days. I feel someone wrap their hands around me and kiss my ear. I really wish Brian had a straight brother.

“How’s it going my goddess?” I can’t help it, I giggled.

“Good. Emmett is with me. We have to go look for Captain Astro Stupidity. Seen your wife lately?” I ask as I turn to look at Brian.

“Well, Justin is behind you, so yes. But if you’re talking about Deb’s spawn no.” I stare at Brian.

We all know Brian loves Justin. He doesn’t run around proclaiming it, but it’s there to see. When he called Justin the wife, it’s his way of telling us. The best way to react is to do nothing.

“Brian, while I love you and respect your position on this, Emmett decided that we need to help Deb out. I would let her stew in her son’s crap, but I worry more about you and Justin.” See, that worked. Brian nods and starts looking at the dance floor.

I was looking around to see where Emmett was when my eyes gazed at the stage and the banner announcing the King of Babylon contest Saturday. Is Michael really that stupid? I didn’t see the contest Justin was in, but between Emmett and Ted I heard it was really good. I have also seen Michael dance, it reminds me of the Snoopy dance. I need to find Emmett.

 

EMMETT

When Daphne and I walked into Babylon, we separate to search for Michael. I ran into the hunk who lit my flame last night and we are making plans to start another bonfire. I see Daphne talking to Brian and have to remind myself about operation Michael. I tell Jeff I’ll call, and head to Daphne.

When we reach each other Daphne shares her opinion about the King of Babylon contest. I just can’t see it. Michael dances with us and Ben, but he just doesn’t have the talent to be on that stage. We both find Justin and tell him. Justin stares at us and then starts to roar with laughter.

 

“Justin, calm down. I mean I know Michael has been all kinds of crazy, but even you could see this is a bad idea. Remember how much of a prude he was when David danced?” Brian walks up at this point and wants to know what Justin is on. I tell him about Daphne’s idea. Brian shrugs and tells me that it’s Michael’s funeral. I guess no help coming from them. I drag Daphne out with me and we head to the comic store.

We at least found Michael. He is... maybe that could be called dancing, but we’re not quite sure. We both stare through the window. Michael has the music loud and I don’t know what to call the moves. Is that ‘The Time of Our Lives’? Oh God, that can’t be what he thinks he should use.

“You know Emmett, part of me wants to record this, but the other part wants to see it on the stage at Babylon. I don’t get what he thinks this will accomplish. Why would he want to enter this contest? If I remember, all that happened after that is that Justin tricked with some guy.”

I have to wonder too. I try to remember what went on after Justin won. I remember the next morning after Justin came into the diner, everyone egging him on to tell about what happened. Then after Justin finished, Brian and Justin stared at each other. I remember thinking that they seemed to come to an understanding at that point. Still, what does that have to do with Michael?

We look in and the music has changed and we see Michael dance by. He grabs one of the wall racks and starts to do a backbend. I don’t think the racks are made to hold up a grown man, and they prove it when they give and Michael and the racks fall backwards. Ouch that had to hurt.

 

BRIAN

I came in to check things with Lo. Ted was busy. Justin is hanging out with Milo and still laughing like a loon at the theory that Daphne came up with. I have just gotten to the point where I try to think of Paris and leave the crap behind. Lo has it under control and tells me other than the minor cat fights everything has been going good.

I was heading to go get Justin, when my phone rings. It’s Emmett, telling me to come to the comic shop. There is part of me that wants to say no, but no matter how hard I try I can’t turn my back on him. I grab Justin and we drive to the store. Daphne is waiting for us.

“The idiot fell and the wall rack fell on top of him. I think he’s okay, but he hasn’t moved since it happened. Do either of you have any way to get in?” She asks us.

I don’t have a key. Justin shakes his head no.

I love that I get nominated to call Deb.

“Deb, do you know anyone who has a key to the comic shop?” I don’t want to tell her why.

“Ben or Hunter I think. Why do you need a key?” We do not need Deb here.

“Michael called Emmett. Michael was running out of the shop and forgot to grab his keys.” I hope that works.

“Why not just tell Emmett who has keys?” Deb has never been stupid.

“Deb, you know what he’s been like. I think he just didn’t know whether to contact Ben or not.” Michael is starting to stir.

“Call Ben. Let me know if you need me.” Deb says, before hanging up. I call Ben ask him to bring Emmett the keys. He tells me he will and doesn’t ask any questions.

I was going to knock on the window, but Daphne tells me to let her and Emmett handle it. I tell them to call if they need us and we go home.

 

EMMETT

After Justin and Brian leave, I start knocking on the window. Michael gets himself untangled and lets us into the shop. Daphne walks to the chair and sits down. Michael locks us in and asks what we are doing here.

“Michael, I haven’t seen much of you, and since Daphne and I were running around we thought we'd check on you.” Daphne starts flipping through a comic.

“I was just doing inventory, and felt like redecorating.” He then starts trying to rub his lower back.

“We saw you fall. Are you okay.” I ask Michael.

“I guess I should have used a screwdriver to get the rack off the wall.” This conversation is bordering on ridiculous.

Daphne puts the comic down and walks toward Michael. I want to say that, as a friend, I interceded, but at this point Daphne really needs the outlet.

 

DAPHNE

Why couldn’t Justin find grownups. I mean I love the guys and all. Brian is like a big kid most of the time but he knows when to be an adult. I also know from what Justin told me and what I have seen, Michael has never had to face the consequences for anything he does.

“Michael, I am going to speak slowly and use small words. I do not want you to talk. Do you understand?” He starts to open his mouth but I put up my finger and shake my head.

“Brian is never going to be anything but your friend, and right now you’re skating on thin ice there. Your mother is losing all her friends and family because of you. If this doesn’t stop now I will kick your scrawny ass and believe me when I say that. Because up till now I have held back for Emmett’s sake. Justin is smarter, better looking, and twice the man you are, there is no way for you to compete with him. What you need to do is knock this shit off before I hit you with my car. I don’t get what you think you’re going to accomplish, other than acting like fatal attraction. That is all we can see.” I was trying to reach him, to give him a smack on the head, but Emmett stopped me.

“Can I speak now, DAPHNE?” He sneers at me.

Part of me wants to shove Emmett out of the way, the other part wants to hear him. I nod because I don’t trust myself to say anything.

“Brian is my best friend, he loves ME. You think you know anything about us just because your little friend fucks him. Brian is not going to commit to Justin, nor does Justin know him the way I do. I was there for him every time he needed a friend. I took care of him when your best friend fucked him over with the fiddler. I will be there when your friend leaves him again. You know why? Because I love him in a way that Justin will never be able to, and Brian knows that too!” By now he is screaming at us.

I now know that nothing is going to be accomplished by talking to Michael. I am done with him. I turn in time to see Ben standing there with the keys in his hand. He doesn’t say a word. He looks at the keys, starts taking them off his ring and throws them at Michael.

 

EMMETT

This is bad. I was sure that when we got Michael over what I hoped was a midlife crisis, that he and Ben could work it out, but that isn’t going to happen now. Ben throws the keys at Michael and leaves, slamming the door. Daphne walks out behind him, I turn and look at Michael. He doesn’t even seem to care. I walk to the door too.

I chase Ben down the sidewalk, Daphne is trying to offer him a ride. He just keeps walking. I tell Daphne I’ll handle this. She nods and goes to her car and drives off. I run after Ben.

“Emmett, unless you want to get drunk with me, go home.” I’ve had worse offers. So I walk with him to Babylon.

Most of the time Ben dances with one of us and drinks maybe a beer or two, but tonight I think he is trying to put us all under the table. Ben is gorgeous and men would flock around him, but he has always tried to stay with Michael. Around 2am I am dragging Ben off the dance floor and into a cab.

I get him into the house, and into bed. Hunter came out, helped, then went back to bed. I decide that I’ll just stay in case he needs help. I thought he was passed out but then he starts to talk.

“I love him, Emmett, but I can’t be there for him after tonight. I have put up with Brian being a primary focus in his life and thought we were through that. I guess I was wishing for too much from him.” Ben goes quiet after that.

I get up and sit on the couch. I can’t figure it out. I respect Ben and cheered on the relationship when it happened, but even I worried for Michael. HIV is not something to take lightly. Michael is a jackass if he can’t see what he and Ben have. I guess I have to join in the club and let Michael lose everything.

 

BEN

Last night I was hurt, I wanted to strike back. This morning I wish I had laid off the vodka. I have always been able to brush off the bad and keep going. I am now free of Michael, and now am going to live my life. After getting up and dressed, I find Emmett on the couch. I wake him and offer breakfast. We start to work together on breakfast when Hunter comes through and pours some cereal in a huge bowl and starts to eat. Hunter and I had talked and he said that whatever happens he wants to live with me. I told him that he could, and no matter what happens, Michael still loves him too.

“Well girls, I have a class to attend, see ya.” Hunter says as he leaves.

After the pool incident at school, Hunter refused to go back. We tried to convince him it wouldn’t be so bad. Justin and Brian told us both we were living in a dream world if we thought that. Lindsey arranged for Hunter to work with some teachers she knew so that he could be home schooled without having to be home. It’s working well.

Emmett and I have breakfast and part ways. Me for work, him for Deb’s. I feel lighter now that the decision to let go has been reached. I don’t want a relationship right now, but who says I can’t at least start having fun.

 

JUSTIN

Looking into the cold thing in the loft. Most people refer to it as a refrigerator, Brian as a place for beer and poppers. I miss the last few days of food. I grab a water, and decide to grab something to eat on the way. Brian was already gone when I got up.

On my to-do list was to ask for the time off during spring break, turn in a couple projects, and meet with Nick to get a list of what needs to be done. Brian was going to be busy today, he has a presentation. After that he is taking the clients out to dinner. He asked me if I wanted to go, but truthfully it's really boring, so I declined.

I walk into the Diner, grab a lemon bar and walk to the back to talk to the manager. Deb is there looking over the schedules with him.

“Morning, Sunshine.” Deb gives me a hug.

“Hey Deb. Rex. I need to put in for time off.” Deb looks at me.

“Sunshine, I thought everything was okay.” She looked at me, worried.

“It is. Brian is taking me to Paris for spring break.” I can’t help but smile.

“Wow. But do you really think with everything going on it’s a good time for you two to go away?” I thought she understood that Brian is staying out of this.

“Justin, take the time off have fun. I need to talk to Deb.” Rex tells me. I kiss Deb and walk out.

 

DEBBIE

I’m happy that Brian wants to take Sunshine somewhere, but I need them to help me with Michael. I was hoping that between Ben and Brian, Michael would return to the son I know. After Justin walks out, Rex is looking at me.

“Deb, I am going to say this and hope you understand. I really should fire you for hitting another employee and for the fight on the street. The only reason I haven’t is because you are a good employee. You need to get your personal life in order and keep it out of the Diner, is that understood? I love having you here and if it was anyone else, they wouldn’t be working here anymore,” Rex tells me.

He goes out to the restaurant. You know, I don’t have to work but I do it because I love being here. In all the years and all the managers I have been through, I have never been told I could lose my job. I need to start thinking of myself, I will be there for Michael but I can’t keep risking everything for him. I get up to go to work and go over to Justin.

“Sunshine, I want you to have a wonderful time in Paris. Don’t let Brian make you shop the whole time.” I hug him and kiss his cheek.

Justin is looking at the door and I turn to see Michael looking at us. Michael turns around and runs out the door. I almost ran after him, but he needs to understand that I can’t go on coddling him.

Chapter 15 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Happy 4th to all.

MICHAEL

I ran out of the diner when I heard Ma saying that Brian is taking Justin to Paris. I went with David. While it was interesting to go out of the country, it was more something David wanted than something I would choose. I did have a good time though, and would like to go again. I can’t believe Brian would do this to me.

I went to the shop. It’s slow in the morning with all the kids in school but it gives me time to read the new comics and look for vintage stuff. Emmett walks in and sits in the chair in the corner.

“Michael how are you?” He asks me.

“Emmett, did you know that Brian is taking Justin to Paris?” I need to find a way to stop it.

“Yes. Brian told me he had it planned for Justin’s spring break. Michael, he isn’t going to break up with Justin for you. We need to talk about what you are doing. I have tried every way I know and you aren’t listening. Brian loves you, but he is IN LOVE with Justin. Do you understand the difference? If Brian ever had a commitment ceremony, Justin would be the groom and you the best man.” Emmett is talking in earnest, but it’s like Michael doesn’t understand.

“Emmett, I finally figured out why Brian and I never had a relationship. It’s not that he didn’t want me, it was because he couldn’t give me what I wanted, monogamy. Now he is ready for that and more. Justin is young and will find someone else. Brian needs someone like me, I am never going to leave him. I have always been lacking in the relationships I have been in. When I was with David, I felt like a kid around him and his friends. Ben is a wonderful man, but we don’t always have the same wants. Brian is different, he likes that I need him and I like that he makes me feel safe.” I tell Emmett.

 

EMMETT

When did Brian became monogamous? Justin is going to get a spanking. I almost want to run out of here and have a talk with my boy. Alas, first things first.

“Ben didn’t make you feel safe? Michael, until this week you and Ben were doing fine. What really changed? Because all the bullshit you made up about the cheating isn’t going to fly. Don’t even try to convince me otherwise.”

I look at Michael, and can see the hamster working the wheel.

“Look, I saw him hugging and kissing that guy, if it was just a friend why didn’t he call and ask me to meet them. I was going by to see him for lunch and just happened to see them. Maybe I overreacted, but why did Ben and the guy leave Babylon together?” Michael is trying to justify it.

“We have all met Nick and he is a nice guy. He was at Woody’s with Ben, but they weren’t together. We have all talked to him, you had nothing to worry about.” I tell him.

“Well, Brian needs to worry.” Michael tells me.

What is he talking about now? I mean I know Ted has been spending a lot of time with Nick, but Brian doesn’t seem worried about it. Personally, I am happy for Teddy. He hasn’t been with anyone since Blake and he parted again. I know I said I would let Michael handle this, but I have to be able to tell myself I tried.

“If Brian saw what I did yesterday, he would understand that Justin is going to hurt him again. I am going to have to pick up the pieces for Brian.” As he says this, he doesn’t seem unhappy about it.

“Michael, Brian and Justin are probably happier than they have ever been, so whatever you believe, you’re wrong.” I am so tired of this. Why didn’t I just leave this alone?

“I am going to tell you, because you need to see the truth. Yesterday I was… at PIFA looking around the campus and I happened to see Justin and Nick go to Nick’s office they were in there for over an hour. Why would they need to be in there for that long? Later I was walking by Woody’s and there they are, talking, and he handed Justin a piece of paper. After they talked again, Justin was practically bouncing up the stairs. All that told me is that Justin is fucking around again.” Wow, Michael has a great imagination.

I am sitting here thinking, I could correct all this, but you know what, I really think he needs to see it to believe it. I look at my friend and decide I will work on picking up his pieces.

 

BRIAN

The last night when I watched Gus, I didn’t let the girls stay when they picked up Gus.

Lindsay offered to bring dinner tonight after work. That way I could see Gus and she and Justin could talk. Code Word ‘Gossip’.

You would think that after all the food Justin has consumed that he couldn’t possibly still be hungry. Mel and Lindsay got to the loft around 6, with food from them and Deb. I’ve never seen that look in Justin’s eyes. He always looks at me with lust, but never the way he is looking at the pork chops Deb sent.

Lindsay starts setting the table. She then prepares Gus and JR’s food. Justin is trying to sneak the pork chops into the refrigerator. Lindsay grabs them and puts them into the oven. When the food is ready we all sit down and start to eat. I am doing this for Gus, I have to keep saying this in my head. Lindsay looks to Justin.

“Justin, how is school and everything going?” She’s fishing.

“I turned in my finals and I have an internship at school. Everything is working out because I get credit and a break on tuition. I will be able to finish college sooner. Brian is going to let me work at Kinnetik, which works for me. It will give me time to get a body of work together.” He tells her.

I was watching Lindsay and she is absorbing this information, but I see the point where she isn’t thrilled. Lindsay is Justin’s biggest supporter where his art is concerned, but is like a stage mother. She feels that if Justin doesn’t follow what she wanted to do he will never achieve greatness. I have always left the relationship alone because she means well, but I need to let Justin make decisions and so does she.

“Justin, you need to take your career seriously, staying here and not giving your art a chance to grow it is going to stifle you. You need to look at the long term, Brian is going to be here, but if…”

This has to stop, but before I can say a word Justin answers Lindsay.

“Lindsay, I’ll worry about my career when there is one. Plus, Brian is always willing to help. I haven’t told you, because I haven’t seen you, but he is taking me to Paris next week for spring break. Can you image the stuff I am going to come back with?” He is telling her.

I look at Mel. I planned to let them know. I also know that Lindsey is going to have a problem with this trip. She has always want to go to Europe and soak up the art. Mel is looking at Lindsay, like she is waiting for the explosion. What we got instead was what neither of us was expecting.

“I am so happy for you. You need to come over so we can plan the trip. There are so many out of the way things to see. I think between you and I we can see everything. This would be a great trip for Gus too. I mean look at all the culture we could expose him to.” What the hell?

 

MEL

When Justin said they were going to go to Paris, I knew this was going to upset Lindsay. She has always wanted to go as an adult. She went with her mother when she was a child, but it was her mother’s way of getting back at her father. They went there to spend money and piss off Daddy. I want to take her when we can afford it, but we can’t right now.

“Lindsay, I think that they want to go alone.” I hope this will stop her.

“Brian, it’s not like you can’t spend time with Justin alone. I mean for Gus this could be a learning experience. I could watch Gus when you want time alone and then we could take Gus to see stuff. Justin isn’t going to want to go shopping but he and Gus could do other things.” Lindsay tells Brian.

Is she listening to herself? I also notice that nowhere in her dialog are JR and I mentioned. I can’t believe her. She is inviting herself and using Gus to try to get Brian to agree. I look over at Justin, he seems oblivious, happily eating and playing with the kids. I wonder how he deals with everyone pushing into his life.

Brian asks Lindsay to come outside, he needs to smoke. She is following like she has won his agreement to go to Paris.

Looking at Justin, I realize that maybe he could tell me how he handles the crazy around Brian.

“Justin, how do you not kill everyone?” I honestly want to know.

 

JUSTIN

When Mel asked me that question, I could see she was serious. I want the kids clear of this conversation. I take them to the living room and put it on the cartoon channel. I walk back to the kitchen and sit with her.

“Mel, I had to rewrite the Kinney Operating Manual. Did you think I didn’t also write one on Michael and Lindsay?” Mel starts to laugh.

“I hate when they act like nothing matters but what they want. It also hurts when she does things like she just did. Not only did she invite herself along, but turned you into the babysitter. She didn’t even think about JR and me.” Mel tells me, and says that it hurts to have to admit that.

“Mel it wasn’t intentional on her part. I can always tell when she enters into ‘Lindsey’s perfect world’, she forgets anyone is alive. You asked me how I deal with it. The answer is simple, I know my place in Brian’s world. It’s not perfect and when I thought Michael had succeeded with his ‘perfect world’ I was crushed. I have also learned to have faith in my relationship.” I hope this helps Mel.

I have always loved Mel a little more than Lindsay, because she deals in the real world. I know anyone else would have left Lindsay a long time ago. Lindsay is a dreamer. Mel is a realist. We dreamers need them to keep from doing stupid things.

“I try Justin. But sometimes I feel like she settled for me because Brian isn’t available. I know I take it out on Brian, but if I say anything to Lindsay she acts like I’m crazy.” Mel tells me.

“Mel, look at what Michael is doing to his relationships with Ben and Brian. Lindsay hasn’t gone that far. I know that Brian took her outside to explain the facts to her. I don’t think she realized what she was doing.” I tell Mel this while thinking ‘I don’t need another Michael in our lives right now’.

 

BRIAN

As we walk outside, Lindsay is all excited about Paris. I guess it’s time to burst her bubble. I stand here thinking about how to talk to her without being harsh about it.

“Lindsay, this is a trip for only Justin and me. We didn’t invite you or Gus, and I need you to stop trying to manipulate me by using Gus. If I was taking Justin to Disney, hell, then Gus would be invited too. I want to give Justin this for all the times I never did. If you and Mel want to go, then plan a time and I’ll keep the kids. This is just for Justin.” I don’t think I can make it any clearer.

She stares at me, then starts to turn red. This can’t be good.

“Oh my God, I can’t believe I did that. I just got so excited and started to plan it in my head. I shouldn’t have done that. I mean Gus would probably love it, or maybe not. I am sorry Brian.” She seems like she means it.

“It’s fine, and sorry is bullshit. I also want to make one thing clear. Justin doesn’t need you to make decisions for him on his career. Talk to him, give him advice, but don’t tell him what to do. We all make that mistake because he was so young when we all met him.” I want her to understand Justin needs to make those decisions.

We stand there while I smoke in silence. I wasn’t really big on Paris at first, but I needed this to be for Justin. We need to talk about what we want in this relationship without everyone around to tell us they know better.

 

LINDSAY

I was really excited coming outside, I mean Paris in spring. When Brian starts to talk, I started to think of reasons that he needed to take me. Wait, I meant Gus and me. He finished talking and I start to get embarrassed because I also forgot about Mel and JR. He then goes on to tell me that I need to stop trying to live my failed art career thru Justin.

I told Mel this isn’t going to be easy for me, I hope she took me seriously. We stand here against the wall while he smokes, and I see Michael headed towards us. Brian groans and looks down for a minute.

I wondered where he was earlier, I don’t think he was helping Deb with JR. He is all smiles when he sees us. He looked at Brian, but Brian is looking across the street at nothing.

“Hey Lindsay, thanks for letting Ma see JR today.” I notice he didn’t say him.

“Mikey, what’s up?” Brian says, like he could care less.

“I actually came to talk to you about something. If you want to stay Linds it's fine, everyone is going to find out anyway.” Why does Michael always try to drag me in his mess?

“Michael just save it. I don’t want to hear anything from you unless you are going to say that you're wrong.” Brian says as he stubs out the cigarette and starts to walk to the door.

“You need to hear this, Justin is going to cheat again with that guy Nick. I’ve seen them together and Justin is practically walking on air when Nick is around. You need to let him go. Can’t you see I am so much better for you. I would never do that to you.” Michael is yelling at Brian’s back.

I watch Brian walk into the building and follow, the door closes with not a word said. Michael is standing there muttering to himself that Brian will see. I look back at Michael, and I know I need to stop before that is me.

 

JUSTIN

Mel and I hear yelling and go to the window. Michael is standing there yelling at the building. We can’t see who is standing there. I assume it’s Lindsay and Brian. We also can’t hear anything. You know, if drama is going to happen I need to know so I can have a front row seat. Michael stands there with his arms waving in the air still yelling. I see him stomp off and we both are trying to figure out what he’s up to this time.

“I always tell Emmett that he needs to stop spreading the gossip, but you know, right now I would love to know.” Mel tells me.

We are both laughing, when Brian walks in with Lindsay. Lindsay looks at Mel walks over to her and is all over her. Yuck, girly parts. Brian rolls his eyes grabs the Beam and takes a large swallow. The girls stop and I think Mel is going to get lucky tonight. Where is the brain bleach?

“I know I always tell Emmett to not gossip, but Lindsay, you have to tell.” Mel asks her.

Lindsay looks at Brian and he nods.

“Apparently now Justin is going to cheat with some guy name Nick. The same guy he accused Ben of cheating on him with.” Lindsay and Mel look to me and Brian.

I was going to tell them about Nick and Ted, but Brian tells them to go home and call Ted. I guess he really doesn’t want to deal with it anymore.

 

MEL

We gather the kids and Lindsay tells Justin that she wants to see pictures of everything when he comes home. Whatever happened outside seems to have made her understand. We were fastening the kids in the car when Michael shows up again.

“Can I get a ride to Ma’s with you?” He asks.

It is already almost 9 and the kids need to get to bed. I just want to get home. We both know it would be easier to just drop him off.

“Lindsay, you should see this guy Nick. He already interfered with my marriage and now Justin is messing with him. Brian needs to kick Justin out. You know what’s going to happen, Justin is going to screw around again. Don’t worry, I’ll take care of Brian, just like I always do.” Michael is rambling on.

I stop the car at a bus stop. I turn to tell Michael to get out but Lindsay beats me to it.

“Michael, you need to stop before none of us are willing to have you around anymore. Mel and I haven’t talked about this, but if you keep this up, we are going to see about supervised visitation. We are not going to get involved. You need to get out of the car and wait for the bus, maybe that will give you time to think about what is important.” Lindsay turns around and waits.

Michael looks at me, I shake my head no. He sits for a minute, then gets out and walks to the bus stop.

Chapter 16 by starlight
Author's Notes:

This is right before the contest. Next chapter is going to bring all sorts of surprises for everyone.

BRIAN

Ted called to remind me that the King of Babylon contest is tonight. Justin was excited earlier when Daphne told him that she thought Michael was going to enter. Now it seems like he doesn’t even want to attend. I told him that I have to go to make sure that everything goes according to plan.

We are at the club, because I wanted to make sure everything was ready for the contest. I run the contest the same way it’s always been, everyone signs up the night of the contest and at 11 we crown the King. Justin is up on the stage playing on the pole. All the guys helping to set up watched as he twirled around it and overall just played. Ted had been talking to the DJ and they cued up High School Confidential. Justin looks up and flips them off.

I remember watching him that night. I was not going to hoot and holler with the other queens in the room. I had to prove to him that he wasn’t that important. Justin turned it around, and for the first time proved to me that he could make me less important. It was the first time he stood up to me. I didn’t like it.

One thing most people get wrong is that I wasn’t in love with Justin from the beginning. It was slow process. I felt the loss after he left me for Ian, and knew for fact after Stockwell lost. Justin is scary to love. He is independent as hell and gives everything to the ones he loves. I think it’s what attracts me to him. I”ve spent all my life solving things for family and friends, and with Justin I can rest. Not that I would tell him.

Michael is normally a good person, but he can’t make a decision without discussing it with me. I mean he broke up with Dave because I didn’t like him. Then went back to Dave when he was mad at me for his birthday party. With Ben, he hinted about him but hid him at first. Then when we found about the HIV, he was defiant. I worried because HIV is something that can kill someone. We talked, I made my opinion clear. Michael went after Ben and got him back. It was the first time that what we thought didn’t matter to him. My little brother was growing up, or so I thought. Ben proposed, Michael fell down again. He came to me to tell him what to do. I know at first he wanted me to tell him not to do it. The thing is, it wasn’t my life. If Justin proposed to me, I sure as hell wouldn’t go running to Michael before making my decision.

I know everyone has always wondered about why Justin but not Michael. It’s because Michael wanted things that I wouldn’t have given him, I don’t believe in faux marriage and all that it entails. It doesn’t do anything other than give us a false sense that we can have what straight people do. If marriage became legal, I would think about it. I just don’t see the point of something that really has no legal standing.

Justin is different. He is having fun and allowing me the space to progress at my own rate. He might not always like it but he does it. I also know that if I died tomorrow, Michael would weep in bed and expect everyone to take care of him. Making it into a three-part tragedy needing everyone to hold his hand. Justin would handle everything and worry about taking care of Gus. He would probably even take care of Michael, who wouldn’t do the same for Justin. He would fall apart in private and pick himself back up. It would be when he was alone with Daphne, she would force him to do what he needed so he could take care of everyone. I respect him because he is his own man. Michael cares about people until it interferes with what he wants.

 

 

JUSTIN

King of Babylon. I sort of want to do the contest, but at the same time want to see if Michael can hold his own. Brian told me no, apparently former kings can’t compete anymore. I don’t remember that rule. I played around on the stage since no one is going to be in for hours. Everyone is the setting up for the evening. Ted plays my song and I flip him off.

Ted is in love now and apparently I have no effect on him anymore. I need to find someone else to entertain me. Emmett won’t work, he only goes for beefy guys. Brian told me he is immune to my superpowers. That is a lie. All I have to do is head to his office, look over my shoulder and he would follow.

Emmett just came in, maybe we can go do something. Lunch sounds good.

 

EMMETT

I need a front row seat, so first I can watch, then I can help Michael when it’s over. I wanted to warn Ben not to come because this is going to be a train wreck. In the end, I’m here for Michael, who doesn’t realize that none of this is going to change Brian’s feelings. I finally got him to talk to me about why he was dancing tonight. I had hoped to get it through his head that nothing is going to change.  

I stopped by to hang out with Justin. We have some talking to do.

When I get there Justin is sliding around the pole. I still remember him dancing. Brian is deep in thought too, then music cues up and Justin is flipping them off.

I have a dilemma. Teddy or Justin? I want to know about Mr. Kinney and monogamy, but Teddy has a new hunk of burnin’ love too. I also need to talk to Ted about Michael. I know that normally I would get Brian, but he deserves to be left alone this time.

Ted waves me up to the office. I go towards the stairs and into the office. Ted is looking at his phone and smiling.  He looks up at me. I have never seen Ted this happy.

“I was going to tell you about the saga of Michael, but you know what, I want to hear the saga of Nick, So dish.” I tell him.

 

MICHAEL

Tonight is my night, I decided on the song ‘You Spin Me Round’ by Dead or Alive. I want Brian to know I’m serious. I thought about a superhero theme, but I couldn’t really dance to it. After practicing all week and trying to come up with a routine, I remember that Justin just got up there and danced.  I am going to wing it, if he can do it, so can I.

I also want to go on towards the end, because it will give me time to watch the others and also that way I’ll be close at hand when they announce that I win. I wanted to dye my hair and cut it to give me a new look. I made an appointment with a stylist Emmett uses. No one else goes there that we know. I also want an outfit that will make the guys drool.

I called Hunter to see if he would watch the store. He agreed as long as we don’t talk about Ben. I miss Hunter, he is upset about the whole split. I know Hunter and I can work it out. I want to have my life settled, once it is Brian and I, I can help Ben in raising Hunter.

I tried to call and ask Emmett advice about waxing or not. When I called it went to his voicemail, so I left a message to call me.

 

JUSTIN

I need food and entertainment. I called Daphne but she is out with her mom. She told me that she was coming tonight so I guess I am too. I tell Brian I am going to get something to eat. He just rolls his eyes. Emmett was talking to Ted so I’m on my own.

I wanted Mexican; chips and salsa, maybe a fajita, or well, anything at this point. The place near Babylon is really good. Through all of this Ben has been pretty quiet. I need to check on him. I figured he could join me, I hate eating alone. I called him, surprised when he said yes.

I was already munching on chips when Ben came in. He actually looks happy. I also figured I could find out about Nick for Ted.

“Hey Justin, thanks for inviting me.” Ben leans over and gives me a hug.

“I didn’t want to eat alone and I figured you could give me the inside scoop on Nick for Ted.”

When I first started talking he looked wary, but when I finished he was smiling.

“I think he and Ted will do well. Nick told me that he was ready to have a home life again. I really haven’t seen him in years so that is all I can tell you.” Ben is so sweet.

“I hope they work out. How about you?” I hope Ben doesn’t think I am prying.

“Well my marriage just went down the drain and I hung on until I saw no hope left. I am going to practice my motto of living in the now.” Ben says it and I really think that he means he is letting go.

I feel horrible for Ben. He is a really good person, who got trapped in the Mikey and Brian vortex.

Ben didn’t know that Michael is fine until he thinks Brian is pulling away. Michael then becomes clingy and needy. I think that Michael wants a combination of Ben and Brian.

 

BEN

When Justin called I was surprised. We really have never spent any time together. I was going to say no, but I am not going to let Michael be my reason for not doing things. I got to the restaurant and Justin looks like he is guarding the chips. Instead of asking me about Michael, he asked about Nick. Justin eased us into the subject of me but didn’t ask about Michael and I really appreciate his tact.

Justin wanted to order the family size fajita. I asked if anyone else was coming and he thinks about it, then says maybe we should order two. Where does the food go on him? I was asking what everyone was doing tonight, when Emmett and Ted appear.

They grab seats and I tell him Justin has ordered. Ted tells Justin to get Brian a grilled chicken salad. When the food arrives, no one seems surprised at the amount. We sit and start telling jokes. Justin and Ted are arguing about the contest tonight.

“Ted, I know for a fact that there is no rule that says I can’t dance tonight. I asked Sheba.”

I wasn’t around for the contest Justin danced in, but I do know that he won.

“Brian told me to tell you if you bring it up, you are being a twat.” Ted counters.

“Baby, we know you could win, but Brian doesn’t want to play into…” Emmett stops talking and looks to Ted.

“Just say it. I promise, it’s fine.” I tell them.

“We think Michael is going to compete.” Ted tells me.

We get off the subject of Michael. Justin orders Brian’s food and adds enchiladas to it. Ted pulls out Brian’s card to pay. We are walking back to Babylon and Justin has me come in to hang out. Ted tells me Nick is on his way. We go to the bar where Brian is on the phone. He nods to Ted and hands him the phone. Justin hands Brian the bag. He pulls out the salad then put the rest in the cooler behind the bar.

I watch the two of them and wonder how Michael can’t see what we all see. I stop that thought.

Justin walks over to the stage and starts to mess with the pole.

“No” Brian says.

“But...” Justin starts to say to Brian,

Brian just glares and Justin hops down and walks over to him smiling. I watch them argue about it, then Brian drags Justin into the backroom. I guess we won’t see them for a while. Emmett sits down next me.

“That’s what I want. Without all the earlier drama. How about you?” Emmett is still staring at the closed door to the backroom.

“I want fun right now and that later. I’m not going to jump into another relationship until I can be sure that the person doesn’t want to really be with someone else.” I tell Emmett.

“I get what you mean. After Drew, I was all over the place. I still have fun but until someone gives me that feeling that I got from Drew, I’ll wait.” Emmett tells me.

I look at the stage and you know what, I am going to live in the now.

 

LINDSAY

I called Emmett and asked about Nick. Michael has really lost it. Emmett tells me about the contest tonight, Mel and I are going. Mel at first thought we should stay home, then she said fuck it, let’s go. We called Hunter to babysit for us since he was planning on staying home. He was at Deb’s.

Debbie asked what we were doing. I wasn’t going to lie but I’m not going to tell her about Michael. I told her that Brian invited us out.

Mel was joking around about having a Queen of Babylon contest, when Hunter arrives with Deb in tow. Deb told us she was dropping Hunter off. She looked at both of us and asked if there was anything she needed to know. We were good and said no, a girl’s and guy’s night.

Hunter outed us.

“Everyone thinks Michael is going to compete tonight.” He tells her.

“Why would Michael want to enter that contest. He can’t even dance that well.” Deb seems puzzled.

“He could be out for a night of fun.” I tell her.

“Hopefully that’s all. Tell everyone dinner at my house tomorrow. Nobody is excused.” Deb states and goes to the car.

“She has changed her tune.” Mel looks to Hunter.

“Carl told her that she needs to make Michael deal with his own actions. It’s been hard on her but I think she knows that no one is going to forgive her again. I told her if she runs after to him to count me out too.” Hunter walks by and starts playing with the kids.

We have dinner with Hunter and tell him he can stay the night since we don’t know what time we will be getting home.

 

SHEBA

My little Justy is pouting, Big Bad won’t let him compete. I look over the list, and notice Michael’s name at the bottom. This is going to be interesting. I was walking to the bar to get a drink when a hottie stops me and asks me to add a name to the end of the list. He also asked about what song Michael picked. I told him. He smiles and tells me he’ll get back to me with a song.

When he comes back I almost burst out in laughter at the song he chose.

 

 

Chapter 17 by starlight
Author's Notes:

This is the Babylon Chapter. I hope I did it justice for you. I think the epilog is next. Maybe a new story if i can think of anything.

 

BRIAN

When Justin left to go to lunch, I went to find Ted. He and Emmett were gossiping about Ted’s new love life. I needed Ted and Lo in a meeting with me. I’m going to need all the help I can get to keep Justin under control tonight.

“I want both of you to keep Justin away from the sign up table, as well as from Sheba tonight. If Michael wants to make an idiot of himself let him, but Justin is not going to add to the drama.” I tell both of them.

“Brian, what harm could Justin really do? I mean if he dances that will just increase foot traffic.”

I glare at Ted.

“Lo, if Michael comes in, as long as he isn’t causing problems leave him alone. If he goes near Justin, do what you have to do.” I just want this night over.

“What if Justin sneaks into the contest?” Lo asks me.

“Sheba is keeping the list, and if she wants to keep her job Justin won’t be on it. Ted, when he corners you, tell him not to be a twat about it.” I figured Michael being a twat was enough.

It might not be enough to stop Justin, but maybe I can win this time. Justin’s plans work because he makes sure no one knows. Most of the time no one finds out that he was involved until everything is over. If Justin had been a spy, no country would have been safe.

We go down to the floor with the rest of the staff to make sure we’re ready for tonight. Emmett runs over and says he is going to lunch with Justin. I tell Ted to go too. Emmett and Justin alone is a bad idea. I hand Ted my credit card. I’m sure Justin will have ordered half the restaurant. Ted asks if I want anything, I tell him grilled chicken salad.

When they return Justin is back to messing around on the stage. I can see his mind coming up with something so I tell him no and the little princess tries to argue. I figured I could give him something else to do. I close the door to the backroom after pulling him through.

Once the club starts to fill, I keep an eye on Justin. I don’t trust the good mood or the blinding smile. He is hanging out with Emmett. That combination scares any sane person. Sheba came by and I see Michael has made it. I look around trying to find him.

“He signed in and left to get ready apparently.” Sheba tells me.

I look around for my princess and see that he’s talking to someone. At first I thought it was Michael. Walking towards them, I stop when I realize that it’s his friend Milo. Hopefully they will just dance and stay out of trouble.

 

JUSTIN

Brian really thinks he can stop me. I almost want to laugh. I got Milo’s boyfriend to go sign-up my surprise for the evening. I had to tell Emmett because I needed his help for the outfit. Emmett was on the fence about helping until I explained why this needed to be done. Once I convinced him this was a great idea Emmett was on board. Brian thinks I use my superpower for food. I actually use it to convince people to do my bidding. Food is just a side benefit.

I see Nick and Ben dancing. Ted is working so until he feels everything is perfect he won’t be down. That works perfectly for what I want to do. Ted is great; unless he decides what your doing could get him killed. He also feels that anything Emmett and I want to do is a bad idea.

The contest starts. Milo tells me Michael is right before my surprise. I tell Emmett to tell Sheba that we need at least 20 minutes after Michael. We all sit and hoot at the contestants as they dance and strip. Brian is everywhere I go so I have to depend on my team. We are getting closer to Michael’s turn and I need to be here to see him. Part of me hopes he does well, the other part wants him to fall off the stage. Either way Brian isn’t going to give him what he wants.

I grab Ben and tell him I want to dance. Brian looks at me but can’t figure out what harm that could do. I want to look for Emmett, but if Brian sees me doing it he’ll question it. Brian is so suspicious. Emmett finally shows up with the clothes. He waves at us and walks to the changing area. I told him to store it so that he doesn’t have to carry it around. Emmett comes out quickly, it’s time.

Sheba is getting ready to announce Michael.

 

SHEBA

Tonight is going to go down in the history of Babylon. I walk up to the stage, so I can announce Michael.

“Gentlemen and Gentlemen, and a few ladies. Our next contestant loves superheroes and walks in Paris with the man he loves. Here’s Mikey.” Normally I get to do better intros than this but Michael insisted on me saying exactly that.

 

EMMETT

The song ‘You Spin Me Round’ by Dead or Alive starts to play.

When Michael first walks out on the stage he stands there for a second. He is wearing a robe and has a spiked out long haired wig on.

He then starts swinging his hand. My best description is the Carlton dance from that show ‘Fresh Prince of Bel Air’. Good God, when the song starts repeating ‘spin me right round’ he skips around the pole. After that he is pointing his finger at Brian while he shakes his hips in different directions. I also need to mention that he doesn’t seem to be dancing to the music. He keeps hopping up and down then skipping around the pole. As the song starts to end, he takes off the robe. Couldn’t he have at least worn sexy underwear? Superheroes just don’t scream 'sexy'. Then I notice on his chest is an apple with ‘BK forever’ in it. I am just stunned and so is everyone else. Michael bends over to bow and the wig comes off.  Why would Michael dye his hair orange? He grabs the wig and runs off backstage.

 

MICHAEL

I couldn’t believe when I saw the orange that the hair dresser dyed my hair. I wanted a strawberry blonde. He told me it’s a long process. I told him I needed it done, It couldn’t be that hard. He told me that it would be better to style it and we could color it later. I looked at the dye and mixed it then started to put it in my hair. The guy tells me that that is actually the one for a reddish orange. I didn’t believe him, I think he didn’t like that I told him how to do his job. He rinsed out the dye and my hair is a weird orange color. I told him he better fix it, he told me to buy a wig. I’ve always wanted rock star hair, so I bought the one that looks the way rock stars the eighties used to style theirs.

I was looking through outfits, but I spent so much time on my hair that I was running out of time. I realized that a robe would work, it’s easy to get off. When I got to the changing rooms, I realized that I forgot underwear. I decide it’s not important. I use the red lipstick that I bought, and draw a heart with ‘BK forever’ in it. That was harder to draw using the mirror.

When the music starts up it takes a second, but I finally am able to give an award winning performance, if I do say so myself. The only part I hated was when the wig fell off. I was going to see if Brian could get me to see his hairdresser tomorrow.

I can’t wait to see everyone’s faces when I win. I want to be able to walk up to Brian with the crown on.

 

EMMETT

I asked Sheba to postpone for 20 minutes. Justin was being held hostage by Brian, but Justin knew that would happen. He gave us all instructions to follow. Justin is saying something in Daphne’s ear and she walks off. Brian really should pay more attention to Justin’s little friends. I see Daphne with Sean, the trick from Justin’s King of Babylon. I guess Justin got him involved too. Sean told us what Justin wanted him to do. Sean is a great sport. Now for the hard part, I go get Ben and ask him to come help me.

 

TED, LINDSAY, MEL, NICK

No one says a word, they just all stare at each other. And the minute Michael walked off the stage, they all start to laugh.

Looking at the people in the club, we see most look as if they aren’t sure if they should clap. Michael didn’t even seem to notice.

 

BRIAN

I thought after the Oscar worthy performance of ‘what the hell was that’ we were done. Sheba tells me there was one more. I wanted to know, but you know what, I give up. Justin is smiling too much for him to not have had a hand in this.

Sheba gets back up and starts her announcement.

“Everybody we have one more. If Gilligan had this professor on his island, he would never want to leave. Everyone welcome Big Ben.”

I see Milo walking up on the stage in a Superman tee-shirt and jeans. He stands to the right and then Sean, the trick Justin hijacked, walks across the stage and down to the floor. What are they doing? Emmett is leading Ben on stage. Ben was obviously just clued in. The song ‘So What’ by Pink cues up. Ben is in gym pants and a sleeveless tee. Milo is dancing worse than Michael around Ben. Ben starts to get into this and starts dancing up against Milo and Milo pushes him away and is copying Michael’s moves. When the song starts to pick up to the point where Pink says she is okay, Sean runs up and pushes Milo away. He grabs Ben’s pants and pulls. Milo grabs the shirt and it rips off. Ben is in tiny gold biker shorts. Ben it seems, figured out Justin’s plan, and dances with Sean. As the song ends, Sean jumps up into Ben’s arms. They end it with Sean practically swallowing Ben.

I look at Justin with a raised brow. He smiles. I lean in to whisper. “You owe me a hundred blow jobs. The first one now.” And I drag him off with me to the backroom.

Ben really helped to fill the backroom tonight.

 

BEN

When Emmett grabbed me and said that Milo needed help, I figured why not. Watching Michael, I’m a little embarrassed by the performance.

When they finally tell me what they have been up to, I was surprised Justin would think this up.

Emmett hands me tiny gold biker shorts and then a gym outfit. He is fussing all over me. I ask why I need to be on the stage. Emmett said that Milo and Sean were going to dance with me and to just follow their leads. Emmett also told me Justin said that after talking to me today that he felt this was my anthem. The song was perfect and Sean was even better. We are smiling as we walked off to wolf whistles and applause. I need to get dressed, so I was walking back to the dressing room. Sean was following, trying to convince me he needed to help, when Michael stepped out in front of us.

“Ben, you really should have stayed out of the contest. When I win, you’re going to be embarrassed.” He says as he gives me a look of pity.

Sean looks at Michael and starts to laugh, then turns to Michael and asks if we were all at the same contest. Michael tells him to mind his own business. I tell Michael that it’s more Sean’s business than Michael’s. I walk to the dressing room with Sean in tow. Apparently Sean was a boy scout, he is always prepared.

At 11 pm, everyone is out on the floor dancing, Sheba returns to the stage with the crown.

“The new King of Babylon is... Big Ben.” I won.

 

MICHAEL

What the fuck? There is no way Ben won. I look to see Justin walking out of the backroom, and Brian is all over him. Justin is watching them crown Ben and he whistles and claps. Brian isn’t paying attention. I see red. I am going to get my crown and then my man. Justin had better watch out. I head up the stage, intent on the crown. Ben has his back to me, this should be easy. Just as I was reaching for it, I feel someone grab my arm and pull it behind my back.

Shit, it’s that girl Ted hired. She marches me forward towards Alex. I will not go silently. Everyone needs to know that I am the wronged party.

“THE CONTEST WAS RIGGED! EVERYONE HERE KNOWS THAT I SHOULD HAVE WON! THIS IS ALL JUSTIN’S FAULT, BRIAN. HE WANTS TO KEEP US APART! I DEMAND A RECOUNT! I scream so people will know what really happened.

The girl walks me towards Alex, but before he gets me, Ma is there. I was about to tell her but she grabs my ear and yanks me out of the club.

 

EMMETT

What a night! Brian, Justin and I are standing by the bar. All of us are still laughing at what Deb did. Sean is all over Ben. Ted and Nick are dancing up a storm. Mel and Lindsay were saying goodnight to everyone. Brian is on the phone and Justin is leaning back into him. After Michael was dragged out, Daphne and Milo decided they wanted iced coffee’s.

It’s times like this when I actually feel a little alone. I lean into Justin. I figure I could get a little love. Brian and Justin were always checking on me when Ted left me and they still do.

“Excuse me could I have everyone’s attention. I want to dedicate this to Emmett.” I look up and there is Drew.

“Emmett, I’m 21.” He tells me.

The DJ cues up ‘Every Breath You Take’ by the Police.

Justin leans over and says, “You might want to clue Drew in, that song is a stalker singing to his victim.”

“Give him a break Honeycutt, remember he gets hit in the head a lot. Let him have this one.” Brian tells me.

“Don’t call me… you know, never mind.” I turn to walk towards Drew and jump into his arms.

 

JUSTIN

I turn to Brian and raise a brow. He stares and I want to know how Drew got here. You know what, I think we have other things to do.

 

Chapter 18 by starlight
Author's Notes:

It's been fun.

One Year Later

 

EMMETT

Where to start? I think Ben is having the hardest time right now. After the King of Babylon, Ben and Sean hung out a lot. Ben wanted to keep it casual, because he didn’t want to jump from one relationship to another. Sean held in there and after six months they moved in together. The problems started when Ben wanted to apply for a divorce. He found out that in Canada, couples couldn’t divorce unless one of them lived there for a year. Canada let them get married with no waiting period, but because they are non-residents they can’t divorce. Sean told Ben that unless the laws in the US change, legally the marriage wasn’t an issue. Sean told Ben that being together and building a life is enough for him. Ben is still trying to find a way to end his marriage.

When Sean moved in, Hunter was fine with it. Deb, not so much. She felt Ben should have been there for Michael. Ben told Deb to mind her own business.

Deb invited everyone for dinner, she wanted to piece together her family. She told Hunter to tell Ben he was expected. Ben arrived with Sean. Deb was civil but kept trying to talk about Michael and Ben still being married in Canada. Sean smiled to Deb and told her that it was too bad Canada didn’t put a longer waiting period on marriage. I think that we were all impressed, Deb left the subject alone around Sean after that.

Mel and Lindsay, are really doing well. Lindsay seemed to curb her impulse to bring Brian into any subject that doesn’t involve him. Mel seems happy and actually has conversations with Brian. They even have a visitation schedule with Brian and Justin. For Lindsay’s birthday, Brian paid for a trip to Paris for Mel and Lindsay. Gus stayed with Brian and Justin, JR stayed with Deb and Michael. The girls had a fabulous time.

Ted and Nick are still going strong. They moved into Nick’s house together. Ted was worried about Nick’s kid. Nick’s son and Ted got along well, the son is doing a dual major in accounting and finance. I sometimes wonder what Nick does when the two of them are geeking out together.

Drew and I started dating again. I wanted to take a slow, he wanted all the bells and whistles. I still had a room at Deb’s, but other than a visit I never stayed there. I remember telling Drew that I should just move in. Drew rented a truck to move me the next day. I finally just officially moved in after four months of dating.

Brian and Justin are still going strong. Justin graduates soon and has actually had galleries show interest in his work. He even got a write up from a critic. They had a fight about Justin moving to New York. Justin told Brian to go if it was so important to him. Justin said Brian could take some of his paintings with him. Brian was acting like a jackass and wanted Justin to explore a career. Justin asked him if he would he base an ad campaign on one person’s opinion or would he wait and see a group response. Brian stopped mentioning it.

Michael. There isn’t a whole lot to say about him. He moved in with Deb for a while. He didn’t like his mother in his business all the time, so when a customer who shopped at the store mentioned he needed a roommate Michael took him up on it.

Michael started a hate campaign against Sean. He said it was because Sean is trying to take his place in Hunter’s life. Hunter told me that he and Sean get along, but Sean told him that it wasn’t his business to be Hunter’s parent. Michael was so busy with Sean that he didn’t have time for Brian. He was mad at Ben because Sean was always with him. He even tried to get Justin to kill Ken off in the comic. Justin told Michael to remember that it’s a comic, not real life. It’s weird. Michael sent all these story ideas to Justin, like JT moving away, or Rage being confused about who he loved. Justin would send back an email telling him it wouldn’t work. Michael finally stopped try to kill anyone or get rid of a character. I asked him what changed his mind. He said Justin told him if he wanted him to stay on as the artist, they weren’t going sabotage the comic because Michael was mad.

 

BRIAN

Justin and I didn’t attend Deb's dinner after the contest. Lindsay told me that Mel, the kids, Emmett, and Drew were the only ones there. I just wasn’t up for the drama. The week before we left for Paris, Michael called 10 times a day, but I didn’t answer. Michael was always waiting for me at breakfast, I usually showed. I decided that when Michael wanted to discuss Justin, or how I would be better off with him, I would just move to another table and ignore him. Michael caught on after two days. Now he talks about his roommate and new comics.

The night before we were leaving for Paris, Justin went to visit with his mother and Deb. Michael came to the loft. He had that gleam in his eye. He told me I should cancel the trip, that I was giving Justin the wrong idea. I took him by the arm and locked him out of the loft.

When Justin and I got to Paris, we didn’t see anything but the hotel room for the first two days. Then we split the time outside the hotel between shopping and museums.

On our last night, I decided it was time to talk. I told him to tell me what he wanted in a relationship. Justin said as long as he came in second and that I talk to him and not brush off his concerns, that was all he needed from me. It took me a second to realize that he knew that Gus was going to come first.

I asked if he wanted the hetro package; marriage, babies, and a house. Justin asked what the purpose of marriage would be, since it’s not legal. He told me that he couldn’t guarantee that he would never want a child, but he also would rather it be like Gus. His art was going to have to come first. He also told me that at 20, children were an abstract for him. A house, he might want eventually. His reason was that there is only one room at the loft and Gus is going to need a room. If not a house, then expand the loft, so that Gus can have a room eventually.

We agreed that before we listen to anyone else, we talk to each other. I asked what he thought about monogamy. He said that he pretty much is, but if we slip, we tell each other and not hide it.

When we got home Justin grabbed the pictures and presents for Gus and the girls. Lindsay and Justin looked at all the pictures and Justin gave her an art book he found for her.

Lindsay and Justin have found a mutual understanding. That he will listen to anything she suggests, but it is just that, a suggestion, not a life plan. He also made her promise to pursue her art. Lindsay gave up the minute someone told her she didn’t have the talent and Justin compared it to doctors telling him he wouldn’t be able to create anymore. Mel told me that Lindsay has been working on it.

I was sitting outside smoking when Justin came out. I can finally say I am happy. The family is crazy, but we all love each other.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=279