Family Matters by starlight
Summary:

Gus and JR are moved back to Pittsburg.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Original Character, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Anti-Michael, Family, Post-series
Genres: Canon, Drama, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Emmett/Drew, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Other Cast Pairing
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 46938 Read: 170661 Published: Jul 07, 2016 Updated: Jul 12, 2016
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I want to thank Lorie my Beta for the help in making this read better.

Where to start in this amazing story called my life? My name is Gus, I’m 13 years old, I have a sister named Jenny Rebecca who’s 9 and two mothers who can’t get along. I am sitting next to my sister on a hard bench in a police station in Florida. Wonder how we got here? I’ll start at the beginning:

 

When I was 5 we moved to Canada, the land of wonderful. My mothers thought that if gay marriage was legal then everyone must love the idea. What they found was that they couldn’t find jobs and it was like everywhere else, some people were accepting and some were not. We stayed in Canada for a year, apparently Mel realized that Linds was getting my dad to supplement money when they needed it. Mel being Mel, was pissed at Linds for going behind her back, even if it meant keeping us off the street. A week later Mel came home from her job and told us that we were moving to Florida, her aunt was going to let us live in one her houses. Linds, being ever the doormat, went along with the idea.

 

Florida, other than being hot was just like everywhere else. We have lived here for six years. The only difference between Canada and Florida, was that they both were able to get jobs. Neither of them told the dads for a couple months, until JR mentioned it to Michael. I wished I could have seen him explode.

 

Michael, never one to not let his opinion go unnoticed, apparently got Mel’s work number and went into Drama Queen mode on her. He felt that he and Brian should have been told. I agree with him on this, I didn’t lie to my dad, I told him. Michael then told them he was coming to Florida. Mel told him that we didn’t have time for a visit. I knew that he would go to my dad, so I used the phone and called Justin.

 

Justin called all the time and checked in to make sure JR and I were good. In my ‘7 year old’ mind, I felt he was the one who would take care of me when all the other parents went crazy. When I talked to him and told him what was going on, he told me he was coming and that was all I needed to put me at ease. Justin called Linds and asked if he could get advice on his career. Linds was over the moon, Justin in a less than a year, was doing well with his art. She still felt that he should have stayed in New York.

 

Linds and I went to the airport, because I insisted on going. I remember that I just needed him to tell me that he would handle everything. I was having a lot of problems with insecurity. When he walked into the waiting area, he didn’t greet Linds, he walked over to me. It embarrasses me now, but then I just needed a ‘safe person’. Justin picked me up and I grabbed on, I might have cried a little.

Justin being Justin, didn’t make a big issue of it. He kept a hold of me and greeted Linds. Linds wanted to know everything that was going on in Justin’s career. Justin told her he was going to have a solo show in New York and wanted her to come and help. The only thing I could hear in the conversation was that I could be close to my dad and Justin.

 

Justin and my dad stayed together through the New York separation. Justin told me later on that they had finally reached a place where not being a couple was unacceptable. Dad was with Justin from Friday until Monday morning every week. He didn’t let work get in the way. Every other weekend they came to see me.

 

When we were moving, Mel trying to keep it from everyone. She told dad that we were going places and wouldn’t be home. I told my dad about Florida. He talked to Linds, and said that as long as he got to see me it was fine. Mel told dad that she would tell Michael. She didn’t.

 

Justin told Linds and Mel later that night that since it was summer break, he wanted to take me and JR to Disney. Justin is their favorite, so they just go along with everything he asks. That night he and I camped out in my room. He told me that dad was going to be there too. I think at that moment I knew that Justin would always be there.

 

Uncle Michael is a good guy, but he tends to lose it when people don’t do what he wants. When he would visit, he was there for JR, not me. He still included me but mostly he wanted to see his daughter. My dad is like that too. He includes JR but it’s me he wants to see. Justin is there both of us.

 

We had a blast at Disney and at Sea World. Justin told me that for the next week we were going to have fun, no adult stuff. My dad rolled his eyes at that. JR and I still use that trip as a way to escape when the moms start fighting. Justin made a scrapbook of the trip and under each picture JR and I had to write what we did in the picture and what made it fun. We just go to my room and look at the book when they fight.

 

Back to now

 

Now, about the reason we are at the police station. It all started last night at dinner. Linds mentions that she wanted to attend an art class two night a week. Mel at first didn’t seem to care. Linds told her that all the teachers were attending and that after the class they were going to hang out. Mel said that she didn’t see the harm in the class, but why did she need to hang out with a bunch of single women. Linds told her that it wasn’t about being single, it was about having adult time.

 

JR and I got up and left the room.

 

The fight went on and on. I don’t know what made me call Justin, I think because this one was the loudest they ever got. Justin and Dad were at dinner at Deb’s. Justin asked me to wait and I could hear him tell everyone it was his agent calling. When he got back on I told him to listen and took the phone into the hall so he could hear Mel and Linds scream at each other.

 

I walked back into my room, I told Justin I needed him. Just like that, no excuses, he tells me he will be there as soon as he can get a flight. I asked him not to bring Dad. I know Justin is going to tell Dad, but it will cause more problems with Mel.

 

The fight got worse, things were being thrown and the noise was getting louder. The neighbors called the police. When the police arrived they were still yelling, Mel told the police that they didn’t need anything, that everything was fine and shut the door. But Linds and Mel were still fighting, so the police came back and tried to intercede. Both women ended up in jail because as soon as the cops left the first time they went at it again. This time the cop thought it would be better for them to cool off in a cell. I called Justin again and told him we were going to jail.

Since JR and I are only 9 and 13, child services was called. I told the lady that my dad was coming. Justin is pretty much my dad too. She went to talk to the moms. Mel and Linds agreed to let Justin take us when he got here and the child services lady agreed to wait so she could get his information.

 

In case you’re wondering why I call them Mel and Linds, I decided that until they grow up and act like mothers they don’t get to be called mama and mom.

 

Justin’s POV

 

I was sitting at Deb’s table eating with the gang. Michael and I were about to release a new comic. Rage is great, but we wanted one for younger teens who want more comics. Michael and I get along well, we only have one agreement. Brian doesn’t get put in the middle of our friendship. We will never be best friends, but we don’t need each other for that.

 

My phone rang, I saw it was Gus. Excusing myself from the table, I answer the phone. I keep walking till I got outside. Gus sounded upset.

 

“Justin, it’s bad tonight, listen.” I listen and I hear the girls yelling.

 

“Justin can you come? JR and I are scared, but don’t tell Dad.” Gus asks me.

 

“Gus, stay in your room with JR. I’m going to get a flight and be there as soon as I can.” I hang up and tell everyone my agent needs me to send some information to her right away. Brian and I are soon in the car and I tell him instead of the house, to go to the loft. We converted the loft into a studio and apartment. It was for when I need to meet with people, so they could see my stuff in the city.

 

On the way, I tell him about the call. He wants to go with me. We talked about it and decided that he could, if he promised not to make it worse. While I was packing our bags, Gus called again to tell me the girls were being arrested. Lovely.

 

Brian called Cynthia to find out what was going on down there. I looked at him and decided we were going to have to tell Michael. The police informed Cynthia, that with the children being minors that they had to call Child Services since there were no other relatives around.

Brian called Ben and asked that he and Michael come over. Ben is calmer than Michael. Brian booked them on the flight, Michael would be needed for JR. The best way to describe Michael’s reaction to the news, well it was comparable to the atom bomb being dropped on Hiroshima. Ben held him and told him to calm down.

 

I love the girls, but this is one time that they need to stop acting like the children don’t exist. Mel and Lindsay don’t use the children in their fights. In fact, if you asked any of us, they love their children. The problem is, they start fighting and nothing matters to them but being right. If JR and Gus didn’t exist then they could be as selfish as they want, but they do exist and the girls need to remember that.

I can see Brian is ready to commit mass homicide, I walk over to him and he just holds on to me. He and I talked about this once, and he said that he just needs quiet, to not to discuss it. I told him that I need to be able to help, this is our compromise.

 

Brian looks at Michael, and before Michael can say anything, Brian tells him,

 

“We need to get to the kids and make sure they are alright. The rest can wait.”

 

“I know you’re mad Michael, but another thing, the kids are upset and do not need you going to jail with the girls. When we get there we get the kids and make sure they know we will help. You do not need to voice an opinion about anything that doesn’t reassure them.” Ben tells him. Michael nods and we head to the airport.

 

Brian’s POV

 

If the girls weren’t good parents to Gus and JR, I would have gotten with Michael and taken the kids. I might not be legally Gus’s parent, but I made sure that I could be if it ever got bad for Gus.

Justin gets along with everyone, and Gus is the closest thing he has to a child. When Justin left to go to New York, we both knew that if we didn’t work at a relationship, it would be over. Instead of acting like a child and pushing him away, I grew up. I rented a place in New York for us. On Fridays, I left the Pitts and went to New York. Justin and I had a weekend relationship, but it worked. Michael got clingy for a while until Justin called him and told him that he wanted to do a new comic. Then Michael was visiting Justin on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It’s a wonder that Justin ever got any painting done.

 

Justin also made me see that Gus needed to see me, so we started to visit every other weekend. Justin wanted to get a job, but I convinced him to just do freelance work for me. He worried about me paying for everything, I told him that when he was rich and famous he could take over. We worked it out.

 

Now I am on a plane to get to Gus. I worry about both children, but JR is Michael’s and he is a good father to her. Michael knows that I care about JR and will do anything for her, but Gus is mine. Ben and Justin even it out. They love the kids equally. It works for us four.

 

I called Cynthia, she tells me that Mel and Linds told the child services lady that Justin has their permission to take the kids. They didn’t know about Michael and I being here. The four of us walk into the police station and request to see the kids.

 

When we walk into the room the Child Service advocate introduces herself as Kelly and tells us she needs to fill out information on Justin, so he can take custody until the girls were deemed able. That was a surprise we were not told about. Apparently ‘Mikey Jr’, Jenny, went on about how this is what the house is always like. Jenny is apparently mad at her moms and wants to punish them.

Justin smiles at her and goes to the kids. Gus is as tall as Justin, but Jenny is still tiny.  He hugs them both and tells them to sit still until they could leave. Michael and I go to the kids and check on them too.

 

Kelly explains about the police being called twice and the condition of the house. Social services didn’t feel the children should be in that environment. The girls will be required to go to counseling and prove that they can handle their anger better.

 

Michael pulls out his custody agreement and she tells him that he can take JR, but Mel and Linds have to agree for him to leave Florida with her. Justin fills out the paperwork and so do I. Justin asks if she and Justin can go talk to the girls together.

 

After they leave the room, Michael looks like he is about to explode. Ben stops him.

 

“Michael not now, JR and Gus need us.” Michael nods and grabs JR.

 

“Dad, I want to live with you and Ben.” JR tells Michael.

 

“Honey, let’s get through this and we’ll see, okay?” Michael is really calm.

 

Justin returns with Kelly, she told us we could go to the hotel and she would come with the paperwork. He tells us to wait outsides while he frees the girls. Free to go, we leave to go to the hotel. Justin suggests that we feed the kids and go swimming in the pool, before we do anything else.

 

While the kids are swimming with Ben, Justin tells Michael and me that he got the girls to agree to the kids being with us for the summer. He paid the girls bail and they are going home. They told the social worker they would have the house cleaned and get the kid’s stuff together for us. The girls agreed that it was best for them to try to work out their problems without the kids being home.


I am impressed, they actually took the kids into account. Michael is happy, for now. Justin then tells me that Mel told the social worker that she wanted Justin to be in charge of the decisions for Gus. I can tell Justin didn’t want to tell me that.

End Notes:

This is not going to be a suing for custody although Brian is going to work to get rights. I also felt like I pick so bad on Michael in my first story that maybe this time I'll be nicer. It also isn't going to be a Mel and Lindsay bashing. Just a singe around the edges.

Let me know what you think

Chapter 2 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Hope you enjoy i have 2 chapters finished so the next is right behind this.

MEL POV

 

I don’t know what is wrong with Lindsay and I, but we need to figure it out. It’s hurting the children. We’ll have to stay in jail, because we don’t have any way to get bailed out. That is the only thing about having no friends or family close by, no one is there to help.

 

When we get told that Child Services is here, my heart stopped. Kelly the advocate explained that after viewing the house and talking to the children, they were going to investigate us. She then tells me that Gus informed her that someone named Justin was on his way here.

I am relieved, Justin will be able to help the kids. Brian would probably kill us for this and I don’t even want to deal with Michael.

 

Justin and Kelly come into the room and they bring Lindsay. We both are ashamed of what we did, but it didn’t change where we ended up today.

 

“Mel, Lindsay, we need to decide what to do with the kids. Michael is here and so are Brian and Ben. As long as you agree, we want to take the kids to Pittsburg for the summer. This is to give you time to work on yourselves and keep the kids away from it.” Justin tells us.

 

“I need to add to Justin’s statement and tell you both that you are going to be required to go to parenting classes. I also think seeing a counselor will help.” Kelly tells us.

 

I ask if Lindsay and I can talk to Justin alone for a minute. Kelly walks out of the room.

 

“I think and hope Lindsay will agree that it would be good for the kids to be away from us. I also want you to be in charge of Gus.” I can tell he doesn’t like what I’m saying, but I trust Justin to take care of Gus.

 

“Mel, Brian will take care of Gus. I don’t have a problem with Justin having custody, but you need to stop acting like Brian would neglect Gus.” Lindsay starts to get upset at me.

 

“Look I live with Brian, he is going to be there too, Mel. Right now you two need to stop this crap. I don’t know what is going on with your relationship, but you need to see that the kids are being affected by it. Fine, I’ll take custody, but Mel you are not going to put conditions on it.” Justin talks to us like we are children.

 

He goes and gets Kelly. We sign the paperwork, and she tells us that she is going to release the children into Justin’s and Michael’s care for tonight. As long as, everything comes up fine they will be allowed to take the children to Pittsburg for the summer.

 

Justin tells me that he is going to tell the guys to go to the hotel and then he will bail us out.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

The guard takes Mel and I back to our cells. It took Justin about an hour to get us out. Brian insisted on waiting for Justin before going to the hotel. Justin insisted they all wait in the car.

 

Thank god, I don’t know which would be worse, Brian or Michael at this point.

 

Mel and I tell Justin that we are going to go home and clean up the mess and pack the kid’s stuff. He nods and hands us money for a cab. He also tells us to wait until they leave to come out. Justin and Ben apparently knew that if either Brian or Michael sees us, we might all be in jail.

 

Mel and I walk into the house, and look at all the damage we did.

 

“We need to talk to a counselor, we can’t keep going like this.” I tell Mel.

She nodded and started crying. I sat with her and we cried together. How did everything get so screwed up?

 

I think that half of our problem is that we never talked after we got back together. We just ignored it and left everything behind. We’ve been fighting over stupid things and ignoring that the kids are suffering through it. We answered the problem with moving again.

 

This latest fight was because Mel and I haven’t made many friends, it gets lonely with just each other. We talk but she isn’t really interested in art and I feel the same way about law. She works a lot and I get stuck with the kids. I need adult conversation, not every day, it would be nice to be able to go to lunch with a friend. Just adults for once.

 

Mel doesn’t get my need for others. She has lawyers and family that she can talk to. Her aunt is nice but I have nothing in common with her. Mel will act like she is listening to me, but then she cuts me off and starts talking about herself.

 

When we started arguing last night, I started with needing to have someone who listens, and that just got her to bring up Sam and Brian. We escalated from there to throwing things and yelling. We didn’t stop until the police came, but the minute the police left I start again. When they police came a second time we were taken to jail and the kids were with Child Services.

 

BRIAN POV

 

It took a lot for me to not go to the girl’s house and have it out with Mel. Justin told me to not fly off the handle. I know in the past I wasn’t father material. I made mistakes, but I am not going to keep allowing for Mel to hold that against me.

 

Mel and I have problems with each other, it stems from both of us wanting to control everything. I used drinking, drugs and tricks. Mel uses her anger at not being a man. Lindsay doesn’t always help the situation. She is a people pleaser. Justin likes to please people too, the difference is that he stands his ground if he believes in something.

I know then when we get home, it’s time to talk about my rights. Justin has always thought that I should do it. I talked to him about it in New York one night. His reasoning was that if something happened to Mel and Lindsay, I didn’t have any say in where Gus was sent.

 

Lindsay has keep her promise and Gus is with me on most of his school breaks. Mel agrees only because she didn’t want to fight with Lindsay over it. Which now is funny considering last night.

 

GUS’S POV

 

I was a little upset when I saw my dad and Michael. I wanted to keep my Dad from getting mad. When Justin left to talk to my moms, my dad sat with me and told me that Justin had to tell him because of JR. I calmed down after that. I wanted my dad but I know that Mel won’t listen to him, and usually, Michael would just add fuel to the fire.

 

Justin handled the moms, and the rest of them handle JR and me. When it was all over we came to the hotel and Justin and Ben decided it was time to do something fun. Ben stayed in the pool with us, while Justin, Dad, and Michael talked. I really wanted to know that they were saying.

When they were done Dad walked off and I know something upset him. I wanted to know. I got out and sat with Justin.

 

“Why is Dad mad?” I asked him.

 

“Gus, he wants you to have a great life, because he knows what it’s like not to. He and Michael are upset because you and JR were hurt.” Justin tells me.

 

“They didn’t hurt us, they just hurt each other.” I don’t understand, the moms didn’t do anything to us,

 

“I know they didn’t do anything to you and JR, but it affects you both. Your moms love you, but what they did was wrong. You and JR shouldn’t be scared to be home.” He tells me.

 

I understand now, but when you grow up with people fighting all the time you get used to it. That’s why it’s confusing for me. They don’t fight every night or even once a week. JR and I know when it’s going to happen and leave the room.

 

MICHAEL POV

 

It’s really hard for me not to want to bitch the girls out. My kid will not be in a war zone. I let Mel and Lindsay take JR with them to Canada, because even I feared for JR after the bombing. When they moved again and didn’t tell me, I was pissed about it. I am her father and I deserved to know where my daughter was.

I remember going to Brian’s loft and pitching a fit. When I figured out Brian knew already and had known, I bitched him out for not telling me. He told me that Mel said she was going to tell me, and if I want to get pissed to take it home. It took me a week and talking to Ben and Justin to finally forgive Brian.

 

What was weird to me is that I didn’t get mad at Justin. Ben and I talked about it and he said that it was probably because I feel Brian owes me due to us being best friends.

 

Justin and I have developed a friendship. We still sometimes have issues, most of the time it comes from me. I know Brian better than Justin, and want to help him understand Brian. Justin told me that I can tell him whatever I want but it doesn’t mean he’ll listen. Ben thinks it’s funny.

I was sitting listening to Justin and Gus talk and I realize that Justin doesn’t talk down to Gus. They talk like adults to each other. Then they had to ruin it, they run to the pool and Justin picks up Gus and throws him in. Children.

 

Brian comes back and sits with me. I can tell he is still mad at Mel.

 

“I’m going to try to get partial custody of Gus, I’m telling you as a friend, not to get an opinion.” Brian tells me.

 

“Well, I’m not going to let JR go back until they prove to me this will never happen again.” I need to make sure that my baby doesn’t get hurt any more.

 

BRIAN POV

 

I wanted to make sure that Michael knew what I was going to do. I don’t need his Queening out because I didn’t tell him. I’m not going to take Gus away from the girls, I just need it in writing that if anything happens, that I get him.

 

Justin and I talked on the plane and he is behind me on this. He also told me to let him talk to Mel and Lindsay about this because Mel and I can’t talk to each other. Justin is right, but it’s hard to sit back. Ben agreed with Justin. Michael and I would be such a mess if these two didn’t keep us grounded.

 

I watch Justin and Gus playing around and Gus is happy. That is all I want for him. Mel and Lindsay have never made me want to take Gus from them before. When I saw Gus at the police station, I saw me, without bruises or broken arms. I won’t let anyone do that to him.

 

Justin comes over to us and asks if we want to go to Bush Gardens before we go home. What is with him and theme parks. Michael is all in for that. Those two are like Siamese twins sometimes. When we took the kids to Disney and to Sea World when we came the first time, I tried to resist but all it took was Justin pouting and about three blow jobs. After the trip, I saw how  happy it made my son, so guess we’re going to Bush Gardens.

 

I called Ted and Cynthia and filled them in so they knew I was going to be out for a couple days.   

Justin and Michael wanted to ride everything, I just went for the beer. Ben and I let the four children run around. Michael started to scold me for drinking, I told him to think of what this place is called. Justin stole some of my beer, what was funny was a waitress demanded to see his ID. Justin might be close to 30 but he still looks like he’s 17.

 

Michael started laughing and Justin stuck his tongue out at him. JR has a bit of a crush on Justin, so she kicked her dad and told him to leave Justin alone. Ben and I couldn’t help it, we started laughing at JR. Gus who was reading a pamphlet, looked up and told us he wanted to go on the roller coaster. Michael and Justin grabbed the kids and left.

 

On the flight back, I opted to sit with Ben. Michael and Justin were working on the comic. JR and Gus were passed out. Ben can sit and be quiet. Justin and Michael can’t not talk. Justin and I are going to stay at the loft with Gus tonight then I have to get to work. Justin doesn’t have another show until August. He is going to have Gus most of the time. He told me he understands I have to work, but he is not going to be the only person Gus sees all summer. I know that, but it’s his way of making sure that I come home at a reasonable hour.

 

Deb already agreed to take off Tuesday and Wednesday, so Justin and Michael can work on their comic. It’s been doing better than Rage. This time they didn’t base it on anyone, they still have gay characters but they also included straight ones. Not really my thing, but it’s selling faster than Rage.

 

We all agree to get together in the morning at the diner before going home.

Chapter 3 by starlight


Kelly came to see us the day after the kids left. We have to attend a parenting class two nights a week for six weeks. When we told her we are going to see a counselor on our own to work on the marital issues she took the information down and told us the counselor needs to have a progress report sent to her so that she can add it to our file. We are allowed to have contact with the kids. She left her card and told us to call anytime we had questions.

 

The counselor made room in her schedule for us to come in today after hours. She told us that we would need at least two hours for the first session. After that it would be an hour each time twice a week.

 

Lindsay and I arrived early, we haven’t said a lot to each other. Just cleaned the house and took the rest of the week off work. We have seen counselors before, but not together.

 

Dr. Bradford is about our age, she told us both that she is our doctor, not our friend. She told us the first part of the session was going to be her asking questions, the second is us talking about what we want to accomplish.

 

She asked if we ever had counseling before together and we told her no. She asked when the problems started in our relationship. We took her through to the fight.

 

“Mel, why does Lindsey wanting to do things outside of you and the children cause fights.” She asks me.

 

“I think because.” She stops me.

 

“No thinking, if you need a minute take a minute. I want to know why.” She tells me.

 

I really don’t want to say it. I promised that I was over it. I look at my hands and talk.

 

“When Lindsey cheated, she was out of the house and making excuses for her time. When she talked about going out with the girls after a class, it sounded like an excuse so I wouldn’t question why she was out so late.” There, I said it.

 

“Lindsay, how does that make you feel when Mel said that. Total truth.” Dr. Bradford asked Lindsay.

 

“She told me that we would put it behind us. I realize she hasn’t forgotten it. It hurts. I forgave her when she cheated.” Lindsay answered.

 

Dr. Bradford wrote down some information. Then looked up and asked us to both tell her what we want to accomplish with therapy.

“I want to be able to build back Mel’s trust and find a more constructive way to discuss our issues.” Lindsay answers.

 

“I want to be able to do the same and also make sure the kids have a healthy environment to grow up in.” I answer.

 

Dr. Bradford stares at us for a minute. Then tells us what she feels we need to do.

 

“First taking the night class on parenting will help. Second when you leave each session here, I want you to separate and write a list of questions we can discuss in the next session. Third if the urge to fight happens, walk away until you can discuss the problem. I want you, off the top of your heads to name three things that cause arguments. Those will be things you cannot discuss until the next session.” Dr. Bradford tells us.

 

Lindsay goes first. “We can’t talk about my son’s father, my family or money.”

 

Dr. Bradford nods and looks at me.

 

“We can’t talk about Brian our son’s father, money, or my family.” I tell her.

 

She looks at Lindsay and me and asks why the same list.

 

“Those are the things that cause all the fights.” I tell her.

 

She smiles at both of us and said that we should be great for the next two days, since we have nothing to fight about.

 

GUS POV

 

This morning Dad left early, I got up with him because I have a hard time sleeping in strange places. He gets me cereal and milk. We eat together and he tells me that if I want to watch TV go for it, he would be back in 2 hours. I am still tired so I walk into their bedroom and lay down next to Justin. Justin wakes up and smiles at me. I cuddle up to him and we both fall back to sleep.

 

My Dad comes to wake us up and says that we need to get to the diner. We get ready and head to the diner. When I walk in Debbie swallows me in a hug. I notice Justin slide by and head to the booth. Traitor.

 

Debbie tells me that she ordered me breakfast already. I sit between Dad and Justin. Michael, Ben and JR come in a grab a seat.  Debbie starts serving us, then leans over and pinches JR cheeks. I decide the hugs aren’t so bad.

We eat, and the Dads decided how they would split up our time. Justin will take JR, if Deb isn’t off to watch her. Justin told them we could stay at the house since there is more to entertain us with. If Justin is busy, Michael will keep us with him at the comic shop. Ben has summer class, but has volunteered he and Michael if Dad and Justin have something planned for the evening.

Michael looked like he was going to argue about that. Ben said he meant like business meetings. Dad rolled his eyes.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Brian told me that it was fine to offer help with JR, but not to let Michael dump her on me. I don’t feel that way, if Gus is home, why not have JR over, we don’t have any friends with children. I made Brian promise to not buy something for Gus just because Gus looked at it. He did that at first and we had issues with Gus throwing tantrums when he didn’t get something.

 

Brian also is going to see about partial custody. He wants it in stone that he has rights. Mel and Lindsay have never scared Brian as far as Gus is concerned, till now. We knew that they fight, everyone does, Gus calls only if it gets loud. I normally just call the house and they stop. I have even had Ben call so it seems random.

 

Brian was a little hurt by the fact the Gus didn’t want him to help. I told Brian that it wasn’t that Gus didn’t want him, but between him and Mel they can’t keep their cool. Gus overheard that and told Brian that he knows that his dad could handle it, he just doesn’t need all his parents fighting at once. Brian told him he would try to handle Mel better, but that yeah maybe it was better for me to smooth the way first.

 

Ben and I decided that we were going to talk to Debbie, she is just itching to talk to the girls. Brian and Michael were taking the kids out shopping. When they left after I reminded Brian not to give in to everything Gus wanted, Debbie sat with us.

 

“Look, I know you want me to stay out of this, but JR and Gus deserve better than what happened.” Deb tells us.

 

“Deb, I’m not saying they don’t but it was a fight that got out of hand. They aren’t trying to hurt the kids, but each other. We need to let them work it out, and only help when they need us to.” Ben tells Deb.

 

I can see she wants to argue, but she knows that Ben is going to counter her arguments. She looks at me and ask what I really think.

 

“I think that if we get in the way, it could cause more harm than good. Deb, when Brian and I were first starting out everyone had an opinion and everyone decided that they knew better than us. I listened, Brian listened and all it did was cause more problems. I think that if the girls call, we listen, and offer advice if they ask. One of the worst things we can do at this point is try to take sides since we don’t really know enough to have an informed opinion.” Wow, maybe I should became a counselor myself.

 

Deb nods and we know she doesn’t agree completely but she’ll try to be good.

 

I have to go by Kinnetik and drop off some papers for Brian. He wanted us to spend the day together with Gus. I felt him and Michael needed to spend time with the kids.

 

I walked in and Cynthia is out in the reception area talking to a client, so I wave and go to Brian’s office. I put the paperwork in Brian’s outgoing mailbox. Cynthia hired a new assistant for him when he made her partner. Theresa is really nice. I was worried that Brian would run her off.

 

When Cynthia hired Theresa she told Brian if he wasn’t civil than he was going to be without an assistant.

 

I checked my email on Brian’s computer and Theresa walks in. I look up and smile at her.

“Brian sent the paperwork, it’s in the box. He told me to tell you that he will be in by two today.” I tell her.

 

“Okay, yeah, sure, I mean, I’ll write that down somewhere. I mean I’ll…, never mind thanks.” She tells me and rushes out the door.

 

She is so nervous, but Brian can do that to a person. Ted walks in and almost gets hit by Theresa.

 

“Sorry Ted.” She tells him.

 

“No problem, Theresa.” He walks in.

 

Ted handed me the file with a list of expenses Brian pays for Gus.

 

“That is everything I have that Brian has paid for Gus. Tell him that anything that’s missing before that list he can get  the cancelled checks from his bank.” Ted tells me.

 

Brian told me to let Ted know what’s going on so he can be there for Mel. Mel and Ted are best friends from college. Theresa comes back in again.

 

“Um, Mr., I mean Justin, there is a package for you. Do you want me to…um bring it in here.” Good lord, the poor girl.

 

“Do I need to sign for it?” She shakes her head no. “Okay just bring it in here then.” I tell her.

 

Ted is looking at her, then at me. She walks in and almost trips on her feet. I get up and take the package and she practically runs out of the room. Ted looks back at me. I shrug.

 

“Is she always like that with you?” Ted asks.

 

“I think today is the first time she has ever tried to talk to me.” I tell Ted.

 

Ted lets go of whatever he wanted to say to me and goes back to his office. I take the files to Brian’s lawyer’s office. We had it set up where I would pick up Gus, and we were going to go to the house. When I got back to the office, I see Gus flirting with Cynthia. Brian told Gus that if he was going to be straight, only hit on the top shelf. I roll my eyes since Gus had to ask why he need to hit the top of a shelf.

 

Theresa walks out of Brian’s office and I wave to her. She turns red and goes towards the copy room. I hope Brian wasn’t an asshole to her. Cynthia starts to laugh. Gus and I walk in to say bye to Brian.

 

“Justin, I need you to take some stuff home with you.” He tells me.

 

What did he buy Gus? The corvette is small so hopefully it isn’t something I might have to strap to the roof. Gus is all smiles.

 

“Okay what did you get Gus?” I’m kind of scared now.

 

“Come outside and I’ll show you.” Brian tells me.

 

Theresa walked out of the copy room, when she see us she drops one of the folders. Brian shakes his head and drags me out the door.

 

We get to the side parking lot and I see the corvette, but it doesn’t look stuffed full of anything. Brian walks me over to a SUV. It’s really big.

 

“Nice car what did you need me to take home Brian.” He can be so evasive sometimes.

 

“You can be a good boy and drive your new car home.” Brian tells me.

 

I look at the car and back at Brian. “Why did you buy me a car?” It’s not that I don’t appreciate it but he needed to stop spending on things like this.

 

“We have a kid who can’t ride in our laps and you need a car that can haul paintings. I saw one of these a couple weeks ago and it has everything you need.” He tells me.

I know nothing about cars and truthfully, if it gets me where I’m going I’m good. I kiss him thank you and then look in the back. I wonder if any store had anything left. I decided to leave before I say anything.

Chapter 4 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Once again into the breach.

LINDSAY’S POV

 

We went home after our appointment with the counselor and had to get ready for the first parenting class. We were told to write down any questions that we wanted to ask. It sounded like an easy assignment. I sat at the table with the notebook we each have for our sessions. She told us to write the questions with space to write if we felt it was answered.

 

My questions were:

 

Why is Mel still mad about something that happened seven years ago?

 

What upsets Mel about Brian?

 

Why can’t Mel understand that although my family isn’t great I can’t stop loving them?

 

Does she still love me?

 

Why can’t we move back to Pittsburgh?

 

I stop with those questions. I feel like, if I write any more the next question might be, why do I care? I still love Mel, but I feel like all we do is hurt each other with the things we are afraid to say. I left the session more upset than before I went.

 

MEL’S POV

 

I went into my office to write my questions. It was a hard session because Dr. Bradford wants facts. She reminds me of Brian’s motto of no excuses. I didn’t want to say what really caused the fight. It was that Lindsay brought Sam home for dinner and introduced us. I know it was long after that night that anything happened. I even greeted the man like a friend until I saw the way they were talking to each other outside.

 

My questions were:

 

When we fight why does she feel the need to bring up Brian?

 

Why did she not tell me that she was asking Brian for money?

 

Why did she cheat with a man?

 

Did she regret the moves to Canada and Florida?

 

I think those are some of the hardest questions I need answers to first. I don’t put the one I really need an answer to. Do you even want to be together any longer? I hope that we manage to fix us.

GUS’S POV

 

It’s funny how Justin didn’t realize that Dad bought him a car. Dad and I went to the Mercedes Dealership. We didn’t have to wait he pre-ordered the GL 350 BlueTec so that he could have it for Justin today.

 

We took it shopping because it had room for things. Dad wanted me to get new clothes because he wants me to understand style. I wanted toys. We shopped and shopped and shopped some more. If Justin thinks what is in the back was bad, wait till the other stuff shows up.

Justin and I were going to go to the house, but then he said that we need energy if we are going to unload the car. I think he wanted to show off the car. He called Aunty Em to meet us for lunch. We pulled up to the diner, Debbie was out throwing away garbage. She saw us and walk over to the car.

 

“Good lord Justin, I think I need to suck….” Debbie looked at me. “Kiss Brian more if this is the result.”

 

“He thought we needed a bigger car since JR and Gus are here for the summer.” Justin tells her.

 

“Justin, a car is one thing but a seven seater, Mercedes is another. I love it Baby.” Aunty Em tells Justin.

 

We all look at the car, Em looked at the back. Justin shakes his head.

 

“Em, I’m not going to look at the stuff in there. He said that he wanted to get Gus essentials and I have to believe that or I will go nuts.” Justin tell Em.

 

“Baby, you need to just look at this as a compromise, for Brian.” Em is trying to keep the peace.

 

“Justin, Dad brought you stuff too.” I’m trying to help but he rolled his eyes.

 

We walk in to sit down and JR is here by herself. I go sit with her she is coloring a paper place mat.

 

“Hey, why are you here?” I thought she would be with her dad.

 

“I got bored sitting in the comic shop. Dad didn’t have any toys or anything for me to do there. When we came for lunch Granny Deb said she would watch me till she gets off.” JR tells me.

 

I don’t get that Dad and Justin worked it out so I am with them. Grandma Jen even offered to help. I look at Justin and he picks up his phone leaving us to order lunch. He comes back and asks JR if she wants to come back with us to the house. JR wanted to go, more because she is in love with Justin than any other reason.

 

Debbie told Justin that she was getting off soon and he didn’t have to take JR. JR looked like she was about to cry. Justin tells Debbie that if she and Em want to come over we were going to go swimming and maybe we could barbeque tonight. Everyone starts planning.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

When we got to the diner, I didn’t think much of JR being there. When Gus asked her, and she told him about not having anything to do. I need to talk to Brian.

 

“Kinnetik, how can I direct your call?” It’s Theresa.

 

“Hey Theresa, it’s Justin is Brian busy?” I ask and it’s silent. “Are you still there?”

 

“Yeah, I mean yes. I, can you like, I mean I’ll connect you.” She says then hangs up on me.

 

I called Brian again, this time Cynthia picks up and connects me. I think they need to help Theresa.

 

“Hey Justin.” He is laughing about something. I hear Cynthia laughing to.

 

“Hey, I’m going to bring JR over with me to the house. She is bored and I think Gus and her would have fun in the pool. I can paint outside while they swim, and Gus has someone to swim with.” I need him not to get angry Michael isn’t a planner and needs some help with JR.

 

“Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing. If you want to take her home fine, but they take her home tonight. We have a child to think of too.” He tells me.

 

We say goodbye and I head back to the table. After talking to Debbie, I now have a barbeque going. I am going to owe Brian so many blow jobs for this.

 

I have a larger attachment to JR then Brian. I was their babysitter and playmate as they were growing up. I made sure that they knew I would be there because my sperm donor wasn’t. If Ben were watching JR then it would be different. Ben would have planned for them to do things.

 

Michael loves comics so to him sitting in a store reading them is nirvana. If JR was a boy that might have been great but she’s not.

 

Em, Gus, JR and I get in the car to go to the house. I also have to stop and pick up food. I look at the back and I guess home first, food second. When we get home, Cal, the gardener is there. Cal helps us unload I tell them to just put everything in laundry room for now.

 

The kids get dressed for the pool and Em starts planning the food. He told me he would watch the kids and I could go to the store. I figure that I better call Brian.

“Kinnetik, how may I direct your call.” Theresa answers.

 

I handed the phone to Emmett to see if he got better results than I did. He asked for Brian and surprise, was put thru no hassle.

 

“Brian if I promise to blow you, will you promise to listen?” The key to this is distraction.

 

“What did you do, adopt a kid from China?” Brian is always a smart ass.

 

“No but I did invite everyone over tonight for a barbeque.” I cringe waiting for him to explode.

 

“I want shrimp and chicken. I also want you to tell Michael we need to talk before he leaves.” That was it, no yelling, no “I’m not coming home”. I’ll take it.

 

“Already on the list, Em is planning the menu.” I figure I might as well make sure he knows when I said everyone it meant everyone.

 

“Call your mother and Daphne, they won’t be happy if they weren’t invited and I’ll tell Ted.” He hangs up.

 

“How did it go?” Em asks.

 

“He seemed okay with it.” I tell him.

 

I grab the list and my car keys, I need to get this done it’s almost 5 and everyone is going to be here by 7. I am a fast shopper, I grab what I need and go. I think it comes from shopping with my mother and Brian, they take hours to make decisions. Me, if it fits, I buy it. Brian said that explains my clothes.

 

I get in the store and out in 30 minutes. I drive back and Em shoos me outside. While I was gone Debbie got Ben to come over with her. Ben is sitting watching the kids.

 

“How did you end up with JR and a barbeque?” Ben asks me.

 

“Gus would have been bored and JR was bored.” I tell him.

 

“Brian say anything about it?” Ben asks me.

 

“Just that we have shrimp and chicken and that he wanted to talk to Michael later.” I tell Ben.

Ben nods, I can tell he wasn’t thrilled that Michael was already having problems with JR.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I could have gotten pissed about JR and the barbeque, but I think that Michael needs to understand that JR needs more than to sit in a corner at the shop. I know Justin really doesn’t care and would just take JR all summer. It’s not about JR so much as Gus.

 

Gus needs to know that he is the most important thing to me. I can’t do that if JR needs the same. I won’t neglect any kid. I just think it’s better if it comes from Michael and I. Justin and Ben give them equal time and love. It’s great that they do, but a kid needs one person that they know loves them more.

 

I think that is why I was so hard on Justin. I needed him to prove to me that he loved me more. I did a shitty job when the fiddler came along. I made everything more important than him. It didn’t excuse the cheating, but I understand why it happened. Justin told me it happened because he was a shit and being selfish.

 

We learned to talk to each other, even if it hurts. I think that is what is wrong with the girls, each time they cheated they never talked about it, just keep getting back together and moving on. Wait, when did I become a lesbian.

 

I packed up for the day at 5:30, Justin owes me a blow job. On the way home, I called Michael and asked if he needed a ride. He said Carl was on his way. I thought about talking to him before we go to the house but I think it would be better after. Ted and I talked about it, he said that if I wanted Michael pouting all over the place, then do it before.

 

Ted is a good friend, not my best, but he straightened out his life. I can say that I am glad I hired him, and he’s my sounding board for everything but Justin. He told me only one thing about the NY situation. Grow up and realize that Justin loves me. I listened.

 

I called Justin to see if we needed anything else. He told me it’s all covered. I told him he had 20 minutes to be in the bedroom waiting, I was going to start taking payment.

 

JR’S POV

 

I love my dad but you know, I’m 9, I want to do girl stuff. My dad is a comic geek, he lives and breathes them. I want to create the art. I told mama(Mel) that I think I want to be an artist like Justin, she patted me on the head and said that most artist never make a living. Mommy walked by and I could tell it upset her. Dad said that I was too young to know what I want. Ben offered to pay for lessons.

 

I love Justin, because he just handed me a sketchbook and pencil and we drew together. He also told me that art is what you like, not everyone else. Mommy loves Justin because she said that it’s easier to work on her art with him. He sees any creation as art.

I asked Mommy why she doesn’t do like Justin and sketch and paint all the time. She said that she can draw, but never could create the way Justin could. When I asked what she meant, she said that a nice picture doesn’t sell but the vision of the artist does. I didn’t get it.

 

I called Justin later and asked him. He told me that sometimes people don’t believe in themselves enough and are afraid to fail. When you try you have to know that not everyone was going to like what you do. You have to be able to take the good with the bad and keep going. I love Justin because he doesn’t talk down to us. He just makes it so we can understand.

 

Dad and Grandma, tend to treat me like I am still too little for anything. Ben is like Justin, but he talks a little above my head. Uncle Brian is great, but not a lot of fun. Justin would play Barbie with me, Uncle Brian just bought the accessories.

 

I miss the moms but I am still mad that they can’t stop fighting. Gus told me that I went too far with the social worker but I didn’t care. I can’t call them Mel and Linds like he is. I want to stay with my Pittsburg family, at least there is someone to call if we get in trouble. Plus, I can be around Justin. Maybe when I grow up he will decide to like me back.

 

Chapter 5 by starlight
Author's Notes:

The chapters a head have Whinny Michael. I tried so hard not to do it. Mel and Lindsay are at the beginning of therapy so they are still shifting blame.

LINDSAY POV

As we sit in the car, I realized that we haven’t talk to each other. I wanted to call Brian and tell him about the session. Brian would listen, he wouldn’t really care, but he would listen. I didn’t call him because Dr. Bradford told us not to do anything that could start a fight.

I know that some of our issues are because I feel like I gave up everything when we moved from all we knew. At the time, I wanted to save my marriage. I didn’t think about how this would affect anybody but Mel and I. We both love the children and want them to have a good life.

I hate that Mel never supported my art the way Brian does for Justin. Justin has talent coming out of every pore of his body. I have always been jealous of the fact that at 17 he was already better than I was at 30. Justin didn’t rub it in my face, he just told me that he needs to draw. I felt like that when I first started college.

I was 22 and was going to be the darling of the art world. When I talked to my teachers they told me that I need to put myself into my art. A gallery owner who was friends with my mother told me anyone can paint a tree but an artist tells the tale of the tree. She was really nice about it.

I remember sitting around my dorm room trying to figure out how to tell the tales in a painting. I gave up.

When I met Justin and saw his work, I wanted to find a way to harness his skill. I remember sitting there feeding Gus and he just flip open his sketch book and started drawing it. I sit and look around for something, he just draws whatever he sees. When he stopped after the bashing, I need him to feed me more of his art. I took him to meet another artist who couldn’t even move her body. Justin started creating again.

I also know that when Sam paid attention to my art it made me feel good. Mel was so busy with work and not taking care of herself. I let myself live in the moment. I hurt my family and I thought that we could work through it. I realize today that we just swept it under the rug.

MEL POV

I tried to think of something to talk about but it’s hard when I feel like nothing is going to help. I wanted to call Ted and tell him about everything. Ted is always willing to help. I didn’t call him because I think Lindsay and I need to talk to each other. Problem is what to say.

When I met Lindsay, she was so wild and free. We thought that we were perfect her the life of the party and me the one who keep everyone from getting killed. I wanted to be in a relationship where I could be in control and Lindsay could be a hippy child.

When I met Brian, I didn’t think much about him. A gay man wasn’t a threat, but as time went on he kept Lindsay from growing up. She was his Wendy and he her Peter Pan. I didn’t have a place in their world. I resented that if Brian wanted to do something she dropped everything. I was one of the things she dropped.

We wanted a child and who does she insist on being the father, the asshole. He just laughed and said children were punishment for sins. Lindsay persisted. I was thrilled that he didn’t want to be the father. Then Lindsay comes home and tells me Brian said yes. I tried to be happy about it.

Gus came into the world and I saw my child. I stopped caring who the father was. I wanted to give everything I could to him. Brian seem to bond with him. I wasn’t worried he is to selfish to give a child what he needs. When he didn’t sign his rights over it tipped me over the edge. Lindsay gave me the ‘if I wasn’t with you I wouldn’t have had a child’ speech.

I wanted to let it go and just raise our baby. Anytime we wanted to do something and Brian didn’t approve Lindsay gave in. I know now that if she had just insisted that Brian was free to see him but we were the parents, I probably wouldn’t have screwed around on her.

MICHAEL POV

When Ma called and told me Justin was taking JR to his house to go swimming, I was mad at her. JR was being bratty about hang out at the shop and I felt like she was getting a reward. Ma told me that we were having a barbeque at Brian’s house.

Justin needs to realize that Brian wouldn’t want a big family party. I was going to call him about it, but I figured Brian was going to give him shit about it anyway. Carl called and said that he would pick me up and take me to the house.

Brian called and offered me a ride and I wanted to say yes, but I couldn’t leave yet. Carl is great for Ma he lets her be her. My problem is we don’t really have a lot to talk about.

JR was fine for about 15 minutes, then she was trying to get into everything. I handed her a Wonder Woman comic thinking she could read that. She tossed it to the floor and said she was bored. I closed up for lunch and Ma volunteered to take her. I hate to say it but I was thrilled I wanted to go back to work.

JR loves Justin because he lets her get away with things. She told me she wanted to be an artist like Justin when she was 7 and I told her she need to wait until she was older. No one know what they want at 7. I wanted to be Superman.

Ben told me that I need to realize that unlike Hunter, JR is a girl. He said that we need to plan her day so she has something to do while we work. Hunter came in the shop read and cleaned. I figured JR could do that too.

JR and I went shopping for clothes. I thought that Brian and I were going together, but Brian said that Big Q was going nowhere near his child. There is nothing wrong with the Big Q, JR was passive about the clothes. She asked if she could get a sketchbook and pencils but I though she should find a game we could play with her. I tried with all the board games in the store she just rolled her eyes and said if we have people over it would be great.

Ben and I need to explain that sometime it won’t be all fun and games. I think that she sees Gus and thinks that she should get to do the things he gets to do. I won’t have a spoiled child. I need to talk to Brian, he needs to realize that Gus needs to have to work for things. It will also make it easier on me.

I didn’t like the fact that JR clings to Justin, and not me. Justin said to get over it and play with my kid. I want Justin in her life, he loves her and I see that. I want her to understand that in the real world, Brian isn’t going to finance your life until you get a career. Justin is doing well with his art and our new comic is selling fast, but if Brian hadn’t made it so Justin could work on his art, Justin wouldn’t be where he is today.

BEN POV

When Deb called wanting me to go with her to Brian’s house. I was puzzled. She then tells me about JR at the diner and Justin wanting to take her with him. Why is JR at the diner and where is Michael?

When we got to Brian’s house, Emmett was there with the kids and Justin was shopping for a barbeque. I asked Emmett about the whole thing. He told me that Justin wanted Gus to have someone to swim with. I asked him where was Michael. Em told me he wasn’t there.

After JR went to bed last night, Michael agreed that he would spend the day with her. I wanted her to know that we are happy to have her. I had five classes to teach, I couldn’t take her. I told the other teachers if they needed someone to teach a class I would do it. I wanted to make some extra money. It is for us to take JR out with. We do well but we have to budget.

Justin’s and Michael’s new comic is doing well but they just launched it. We have been using the extra money to catch up on bills. The extra classes will be money for fun stuff.

Brian comes in to the pool area looks around. He waves to us and takes off into the house. I haven’t see Justin in a while either. Everyone starts to arrive, Michael came to me and kissed hello and asked where Brian was. I told him he went to change. Michael walked over to the pool and talked to JR. It seem to go okay they were both smiling.

Carl lit the grill and Emmett brought out the food him and Deb were preparing. Carl looked thrilled. We tend to be a prissy group. We go to restaurants not grill. Brian and Justin reappeared. One Guess what they were up to. Justin was in swim trunk and ran and jumped into the pool. Brian came to me and sat down. We were watching Michael and Justin.

“Ben, I want to talk to Michael about JR. He didn’t even last 4 hours with her.” Brian tells me what everyone has avoided telling me.

“Brian, I think maybe I should be the one. He gets his back up when it looks like Justin is a better parent.” I tell him.

“Justin is a better parent. He makes sure that what he plans includes things the kids like to do. I mean all Michael had to do was give JR something to draw on, she would have been happy.” He tells me.

I know that JR is interested in art and Justin helps her with it. Michael doesn’t want her to be interested in art unless she wants draw comics. I have no problem with her interest. Michael wants to have something in common with her but like I tried to tell him she isn’t Hunter.

DEB

I worried that Brian would be pissed about the party, but he seems to be fine with it. I was glad that Sunshine thought of JR, but I know Michael and he always wants to compete with Sunshine. They get along great because Sunshine doesn’t worry about Michael’s occasional tantrum. Ben seemed really quiet most of the day.

I called Carl because I have seen these boys try to light a grill and they tried but then just ordered in. Em and I were in the kitchen making skewers and he had some sauce that he uses on his food. It smelled really smoky but good. Carl was having fun, he likes cookouts.

Sunshine and Brian disappeared for a while, but Justin said that he need to work on an account with Brian when Brian got home. Who does he think he’s fooling?

 I have always been surprised at their relationship.

Brian was my wild boy, he couldn’t settle down and wasn’t willing to have feelings. Sunshine loved him and was willing to wait for Brian to love him back. Sunshine chased, Brian ran. It took a while and a lot of tears, but they finally caught each other. I asked Brian was he going to try the marriage thing again. He said the Justin only wanted to do it if it became legal. I told him that we could have a double ceremony. He rolled his eyes at me, I slapped him in the arm.

Michael watch as his friend fell in love and it broke his heart. I think he thought that if Brian got into a relationship it would have been him. Ben came and swept up Michael and Michael loves Ben but will always wish he had won Brian. I think that everyone has someone like that in their past.

Right now I am worried about the girls. I told everyone that I was going to give them time. I will, but they will not fuck up my grandkids. I decided that next week, I would call and talk to them. Carl said I should wait for them to call. Like either of them are going to call me.

Jen just showed with Tucker. She goes to her son and talks to him. She then walks to Brian and they say hi and hand out. Tucker is in the pool with the kids. I watched that relationship, it was hard on Jen when Justin came out. She wanted to keep her child in her life. Craig wanted to keep a straight child in their lives. She tried to live in the two worlds but did what any good mother would do she took care of her child. She became my best friend and I hers.

Chapter 6 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Happy Friday

LINDSAY’S POV

 

We sat in that class tonight and thought we were in the wrong room. The parents in the room ranged from neglect to abuse.  We had to get up and explain why we were there. As the class progressed, I started hearing the behavior kids of abuse exhibit. I then realized although we don’t hurt the kids physically, mentally we do.

 

I thought back to when we start to argue, both kids seem to disappear into thin air. I remember after a fight, going by Gus’s room and hearing him tell JR that everything is okay. I know we don’t mean for them to get hurt, we don’t even fight about them. I wonder if that is what the guy who put his kid in the hospital was thinking.

 

MEL’S POV

 

Usually I am the lawyer you meet when family disputes happen. Now I am the lawyer causing the disputes. I have always thought that I was better than this. Listen to the stories and telling myself that we didn’t do the things the people here did, doesn’t make for a strong argument.

 

I don’t think our situation is as bad as some of them but just because we don’t touch Gus and JR doesn’t mean we didn’t hurt them. Coming here I thought it was going to be like what you read in books. Nope they give you color visuals.

 

When we left, Lindsay started talking.

 

“We need to make a lot of decisions. We can’t let our kids grow up and think what we have be doing is normal. Mel, when we first went in there I thought ‘why are we here?’. I mean, we fight with each other. The things they said about behavior, I see that at home. The kids know when we are going to fight, and they hide.” Lindsay is really upset about it.

 

“I think that Gus calls and gets people to call us to stop the fighting too.” Lindsay looked at me when I said that.

 

“You mean Justin and Ben calling.” She asks me.

 

I tell her to think about it. We fight and suddenly some is calling. What about when Justin showed up after Michael found out.

 

“I mean he invited you to help him, but he didn’t really ask for any advice.” I tell her.

 

We found out that Brian was with them when Justin took them to Disney and to Sea World. Brian and Justin dropped off the kids together. Lindsay wanted Brian to stay the night so they could talk. Brian told her that they had to go. She was upset that he couldn’t postpone for one day to spend time with her.

We didn’t fight that night. We also didn’t talk to each other.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

They drank, they ate and were merry, now I need them to be merry at their own homes. It was going on 9 and the kids were flagging. Jen helped out, she started suggesting everyone go home.

 

Jen and I worked out that we could be friends, after she understood that Justin was going to live his own life and if she wanted to be part of it, she had to deal with me. When we broke up before the bombing, she was actually upset about it. When I told her Justin said no to marriage, she wanted to talk some sense into him.

 

The New York adventure, she actually was my cheering section. I love her because she loves her children and will fight for them. I wasn’t a big fan at first, but she was acting like a wife and mother.

 

Craig is a different ball of wax. He claims to love Justin, but only if he will be what Craig wants. Justin had a hard time with it. He remembers being happy and Craig being a good dad. It hurt to watch Justin during that time. Justin doesn’t dwell on it anymore. He said if Craig wants to be his dad he’ll have to prove it.

 

I think it’s why he worries for JR and Gus. He wants them to have safety nets. He had all of us. With Gus being so far from family, anything could happen and it would take hours to reach him.

 

They had to stay at the station all night. That is what I think about, my child had no family to comfort him when it went bad.

 

Gus is acting like nothing happened. It worries Jen, and that worries me. Jen watched it happen to Justin so she is watching Gus to see if he is doing the same things Justin did.

 

GUS’S POV

 

It’s been fun playing in the pool and I got out the soccer ball and Ben, Tucker, and I played on the tennis court. Just kicking it around. Dad usually plays to but he wanted to talk to Grandma Jen. JR was tired so she sat in Justin’s lap and watched from the sideline.

 

Michael was sitting over by the pool in a chair watching. Ben said Michael was tired, it looked more like he was pouting. Justin whispered something to JR. She got up and ran toward Michael screaming I LOVE YOU. Michael seemed fine after that. Ben walk by Justin later and said thanks.

 

I asked JR what happened and she said Justin told her that she needed to show her dad some love. Michael is so weird sometimes.

 

Everyone was leaving and the truth is I am tired. It’s been fun, but they need to go home. Michael asked my dad if they could talk and Dad said that he wanted Ben and Justin in there too.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

I wanted to talk to Brian. First to make sure he didn’t make a big deal out of the party. Second about them needing to back me up with JR. Third because I hadn’t really been able to talk to him much since everything had been going on.

 

Brian asked Ma to stay with the kids in the living room. The four of us went into Brian’s home office.

 

“Look I know that you didn’t mean any harm Justin, but JR needs to realize that she can’t always run to you when she’s mad at me. I need to make sure that if she is acting like a brat she doesn’t get rewarded.” I tell them.

 

“Brian, I know that you want to give Gus things, but you do to much and JR can’t understand why she can have anything she asks for.” I want to make sure Brian understands what his buying half the world for Gus is doing to me.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I was going to let Ben talk to Michael but I can’t. I look at Ben and he nods his head.

 

“Before I say anything, all of us need to agree no screaming matches. The kids are still having issues and don’t need that from us.” I say that to everyone, but I’m aiming it to Michael.

 

Making sure that everyone nods in agreement. I begin.

 

“Michael, your daughter needs you to find things for her to do that interest her. You spent 4 hours today with her in a comic shop. She is a little girl not a boy. It doesn’t interest her. What I buy for my son is not your business. What did JR want you to buy that was such a big deal?” I ask him staying calm.

 

“I bought her clothes and stuff she needed, when I tried to get her to look at board games she didn’t want them.” He isn’t telling us everything.

 

“What did she want Michael?” Ben asks.

 

“She wanted a sketchbook and pencils like Justin has. I know they aren’t expensive but I wanted her to want something fun like a game or even dolls.” He tells Ben.

 

I know why Michael doesn’t want to by JR the art supplies. It links her to Justin, but has Michael thought about the fact that Lindsay is an artist too.

 

“Jesus Michael, let her have it. I mean she has two people in her life that are artists. It is something she can do to feel closer to Lindsay.” Ben tells him.

 

“I didn’t think of that but she wouldn’t want to sit all day drawing.” Poor Mikey he is losing and knows it.

 

“Look I have a hundred sketchbooks lying around. Take one for her and give it to her Michael. Any pencil will do at her age. Don’t be critical of what she’s drawing. If you don’t like it, shut up.” Justin grabs a sketchbook and puts it in Michael’s hands.

 

“I’m sorry Justin, it’s just that you have more in common with her than I do. Everything I want to do with her, she gets bored with. You show up and it’s fun all the time.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“Michael, all you have to do is listen to JR. Tell her you’ll do anything within reason and she’ll be fine.” Ben tells Michael.

 

We have accomplished enough tonight so we walk out. JR wanted to stay but Ben told her they had plans for tomorrow. Gus walks by and tells us he is tired and wants to go to bed.

 

As everyone leaves I grab Justin and tell him he needs to pay up.

 

BEN’S POV

 

On the ride home, JR was asleep. I want to talk to Michael but we need to do it without her waking up. I understand that he wants JR to like spending time doing things he likes, but why can’t he try to let her do what she likes. Brian was right when he said that Justin plans with the kids in mind. I do the same when I have either of them.

 

“Michael, can you try to at least listen to what they told you tonight. I know that it’s hard to not be JR’s hero but she needs you to be her dad.” I tell him.

 

Michael is looking through the windshield. “Ben, I’m trying but sometimes it’s hard to watch my daughter worship at the Justin’s feet. I want her to look at me like that. When she was born I told Brian I wanted to be more to her then a drop in dad.”

 

I know that Michael still has feelings for Brian, but he put away the idea that it would ever lead to anything. The problem is, he sees Justin with Brian and it puzzles him, why Justin. He couldn’t have survived the kind of relationship those two had. Brian told me that he loves Michael for always being there, but Michael needed someone to take care of him. Brian knew that that would have killed their friendship. He also said he wasn’t brave enough to want Deb as a mother-in-law.

 

“If you repeat today, you will become a drop in dad. We talked about this, but the minute it got hard, instead of trying to solve it you left it to your mother.” I hope Michael is listening.

 

“You’re right okay, I know that but why couldn’t she have tried to read a comic. She just threw it to the floor and started spinning the racks.” He didn’t understand.

 

“She’s 9, Michael, they get bored and they mess with things. I know you had to work and she was going to have to be with you but couldn’t you have let her draw or rent some movies.

Anything but push her off on your mother, who was also working.” I need him to listen.

 

“Look I’ll do both of those things when she’s comes with me to work again. I know I should have thought of that myself but we don’t usually have her more than a week or two and I plan for those times.” He tells me.

 

He is right we never have her for long periods of time. Hopefully he’ll adjust to this and will get better with her. Michael loves her and wants to do the right thing. He is also used to not having to plan things for her. We normally do that when we know she’s coming.

 

We get home and I carry her to bed. She is out.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Everyone is asleep and I want to paint something. When I talked to JR and told her to go to Michael the look on his face was something I want to paint. I think he sometimes misses out on fun because he feels neglected. I was sketching it out on the canvas, when I heard the door to the room open. Gus is standing there he just looks at me. The sketching will have to wait.

 

Gus needs attention right now.

 

“Come in, sit anywhere.” I tell him.

 

“Can I talk and you listen Justin?” He asks me.

I nod and hope that he wants to talk about his moms. My mom told me to let Gus take it at his own pace, when he was ready, let him talk. She felt that was a mistake she made with me. She was trying to fix me. Which drove me away. I wait to see and figure I’ll be whatever he needs. Brian walks into the room.

 

“Can I stay if I listen?” He asks Gus.

 

“Yes Dad, but it’s hard for me to explain if you get upset.” Poor Gus, he is worried that Brian is going to be mad.

 

We both promise to do our best to listen and not judge or say anything.

 

“Until I talked to Justin, about the moms fighting, I didn’t realize that it hurt JR and I too. I mean they never fight with us or about us. Justin, you said that it wasn’t okay that JR and I are scared in our home. It’s not just the fighting but the fact that if something happens, who is there for us? I don’t want to live so far from everyone. I don’t think that the moms will agree to come back here. I also want Mel to stop getting mad at my dad for helping out. If Justin had sent them money, I don’t think Mel would have made it into a big issue. I don’t know much about what happened before we left here but I know they fight about it still. I don’t want Dad to be the reason they are fighting.” Gus is crying and Brian holds him.

 

“Gus listen to me. You have nothing to do with your mothers not getting along. Mel and I just can’t agree on anything. That is our fault, not yours. I can’t make them move back but I promise that either Justin or I will visit more. You don’t need to worry about what us stupid adults do. Your job is being a kid.” Brian tells Gus.

 

Gus nods and we can tell he just want to sleep. Brian walks him to his room. I feel better now that he has gotten that out. I wish he didn’t feel that way, but I understand that it’s there. Gus has been calling the girls by their first names and when I asked why he said they aren’t acting like moms. I want to record everything he says and make them listen.

 

I didn’t want to paint any more. I walk out to see Brian standing in the hall, head hanging down and the world on his shoulders. I let him hold on to me.

Chapter 7 by starlight

LINDSAY’S POV

 

This morning I wake up to Mel fixing breakfast. We still haven’t really talked about anything. I am starting to get scared. We used to sit for hours discussing current events and things we wanted to do. It’s like the minute we can’t talk about Brian, money or family, we are at a loss.

 

“Lindsay, since we don’t have anything we have to do today. I think you should pick a place for us to go and then I’d like to go see a movie later. I think we need to have a fun day.” She tells me.

 

I want to go look at the markets on the beach, maybe just go swimming after. I tell her and she agrees to that. It’s different, normally she tells me what we need to do and I go along with it.

 

We were lying on the beach when she asks me to tell her what I regret most in my life. I tell her that I gave up so easy on my art. I let the fact that it was too hard cause me to stop. I told her about how Justin fed me thru his art, and I was letting Justin do all the work and pretending that I was happy enough to see him become what I wanted.

 

Mel was quiet and I asked her what about her. She told me that she regrets pushing for us to go to Canada. At the time she could claim the bomb was the issue. She knows it was really trying to run from Sam, Brian and everyone interfering all the time. She wanted everyone out but me and the kids.

 

Then Mel tells me that this is a fun day and that she wanted us to have fun. The strange part is we did.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

It was hard listening to Gus, but he needed that and I gave it to him. Justin and I went back to bed and didn’t discuss it. Justin knew I need that. We also decided not to bring it up today unless Gus asked.

 

I had to work so I was up and gone before they both were. I was sitting here at my desk, but I was at home with Gus in my head. I am actually mad at Mel and myself, we were making it harder on the kids because we can’t get along. Trust me, I am still mad at the girls because instead of dealing with things they say things that hurt my son.

 

A couple of hours later Michael shows up and asks me to lunch. I want to ask where JR is, but I don’t. We go to a deli close by instead of the diner. He wanted to talk without his mom around. I hope that he understands why I said what I said last night.

 

“Ben and I talked in the car. I was still upset that you didn’t listen to me. I know that I shouldn’t have put the blame on you and Justin. I just thought that JR should want to spend more time with me. I sometimes feel like I don’t exist when Justin is there. JR is always running after him. Ben told me that I needed to remember what it was like when I was younger. I was always looking to escape Ma.” Michael goes silent after that.

 

“I know we are all stressed by this, but Justin can’t be your excuse when you screw up. I thought you grew out of that. I need to take care of my son, just like you need to take care of your daughter. I can’t give Gus what he needs if I have to take care of JR and you.” I hope this gets thru to him.

 

“Ben took her out today, they were going to some art and science thing at his college. I came to talk to you because I know I was being harsh yesterday. I want to be able to help JR and I thought if we talked maybe we could help each other.” He tells me.

 

I wonder why he didn’t go with Ben and JR today. He does have help at the store.

 

“Are you working at the store today?” I ask because he will close down to go to lunch.

 

“No I got my part-timer to take over today. I just have to close the store down at 7.” He tells me.

 

“Why didn’t you go with Ben?” I don’t get it. I mean I am probably just going to go home after lunch.

 

“It’s boring, I didn’t want to spend the day looking at art and science exhibits.” Michael really needs to get a clue here.

 

I just don’t have time for this anymore. I tell him I have to go. Michael said he was going to go home and watch a movie. He told me I could come over but I tell him I thought it would be a good idea to spend time with Gus.

 

I call Justin to see where they are. He told me that Gus wanted to see the science exhibit. I guess I’m going there. I swing by the loft and change and head to the campus. Gus is waiting out front. I ask where Justin is and he tells me someone asked him about his art and Justin got stuck.

 

GUS’S POV

 

Justin asked what I wanted to do this morning. I called JR to see what they were doing. She tells me about the exhibit at Ben’s school. Art is okay but the science stuff sounds fun. I ask if we can go and tell JR we’ll meet them there. Justin by-passed the art stuff and we went to look at the science section. We told Ben and JR we would meet them for lunch.

 

After lunch at the school café, we were going to look around some more. JR asked if we could go to the art section together. They had someone giving tips in drawing. JR had a sketchbook and was trying to keep up. Justin was helping her. One of the teachers noticed Justin and asked him to talk about how he got started. Justin seemed a little embarrassed by it.

 

Dad had called and said he would be here. I told Ben I was going to wait for Dad. He walked me to the front to wait. When Dad pulled up he walked back in. Dad asked where Justin was and I told him. We went in and Justin was talking to the group about how he got started. It’s weird, because to me Justin is my dad’s boyfriend and my best friend. To the group of people standing there he is like a rock star.

 

I look at my dad and I can see he is proud of Justin. When Justin gets done he walks over to us and shakes his head. JR and Ben come up and she is showing Justin her drawing. It’s okay but you know, she’s nine. Ben and Justin both praise it. She walks over to Dad and ask him. He looks at it and asks if she wants a job. JR is beaming.

 

This is how our life should be. I mean everyone encourages us and no one is fighting. I know that my Dad and Justin fight, they just do it away from me. I was eight the first time I ever saw it happen. I didn’t hear anything because they asked me to stay in the kitchen and walked outside the door. They were waving their arms and talking but after they were done they held each other and came in. I can’t even tell you what it was about.

 

JR’S POV

 

Ben told me that he wanted to take me to the school exhibit. I stared at him. He said that he wanted to surprise me because they had an art show. I was happy because we were going to something I am interested in. Dad told us he was going to go to work.

 

Gus called and I told him what we were doing and Justin and Gus wanted to come. Ben then hands me a sketchbook and said that my Dad forgot to give this to me. I asked if I could take it with me and Ben said that was the point.

 

When we got there I was excited because they have station to learn how to draw, paint and other different forms of art. Mommy would have loved this. We walked around and I did the painting booth and the pottery wheel. We joined Justin and Gus for lunch.

 

When the drawing exhibit started again, I wanted to sit and try to draw with them. Justin sat with me and helped until someone asked him to talk to everyone about how he got started. I know Justin is an artist but I have never been to a show or anything. It was kind of neat to listen to him talking about what he does.

 

I was still drawing when he was done and need to show him. Everyone told me it was good and Uncle Brian offered me a job. I think he was kidding, but who knows.

I also missed mommy because she would want to see what I did. Mama too. Ben looked down and asked if I was okay. I told him I wanted to talk to my moms. He told me we could call them tonight before bed time.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

I hate talking about how I became an artist, because to me, I draw and people either buy it or not. Brian told me not to pass up opportunities to sell myself. I also don’t want to seem like a jackass who thinks he is too good to talk to people. I talked and then I got the heck out of there.

 

After looking at JR’s drawing, Ben noticed that she was upset and asked what was wrong. She misses the girls. He told her they could call tonight. Brian asked Gus if he wanted to talk to them. Gus said not yet. I hate this, I want us to be a happy family, but we promised not to push. We left to go home. Gus rode with Brian and I dropped of Ben and JR.

 

Gus wanted to go swimming, so Brian and I swam for a bit then sat and watched him. Brian told me about Michael and lunch. I think that it was better for JR not to have Michael there. He would have gotten bored. Brian told me that he was bored but he still came. He is right, but Michael will adjust in his own time.

 

Brian doesn’t have anything he needs to do other than an appointment with the lawyer tomorrow so he is going to take the day off to spend with Gus. He said they can go to the park and play soccer. I asked if he wanted to take lunch with us. I know it’s hetro but it’s for Gus. He said no tomorrow he was going to sacrifice on the altar of the golden arches for us. I love that man.

We hang out and watch an action movie with Gus. When he fell asleep we had to drag him to bed. I look at the life we are living right now and wonder how we are dealing with it. Brian isn’t freaking out so that makes it easier.

BRIAN’S POV

 

I go to my attorney Gabe in the morning. I tell him that I don’t want this to turn into a war. He asked what I wanted. I told him that I wanted it in writing that I have authorized visitation and that Gus comes to me anytime the girls are incapable of taking care of him. I also want it in writing that if something happens to all three of us that Gus goes to Justin.

 

He told me that the amount of money I sent in one year to the girls is what a normal non-custodial parent would give in five. I told him my son will not want for things and the girls sometimes need help. He is trying to figure out why they would ask someone who had no rights for financial assistance. I repeated I didn’t care, my son will not want for things.

 

He said if the girls resist we might have to go to court, but if they agreed I would get what I want but he wants me to agree to a set amount on the child support. I was going to argue. He told me it is so they can’t come after me saying that I needed to give them more. I asked that if I did give them more was that a problem. He said that it was up to me.

 

I told him that Justin wanted to contact them first about this and try to keep it from causing Mel to think I was trying to piss her off. Gabe said that he could hold off as long as I wanted to. I asked to give us a week.

 

When I got to the park, Gus was kicking the ball to Justin and Justin kicked it back. Justin can play sports he doesn’t really like too. I take over and he sits and sketches. Gus gets hungry and wants to go. We go the golden arches and the boys are in heaven. I cheated, I ate a quarter pounder meal.

 

We get home and Gus tells me he wants to play a video game. That works because Justin and I need to talk. I tell Justin what is going on. He sits there for a second then asks me if I can watch Gus alone this weekend. He thinks it would be better if he talks to them in person. I want to tell him no, but I see his point.

 

I tell him we need to see if Gus wants to see the girls. At dinner, I ask Gus if he wants to see them. I also tell him that I am going to try to get partial custody of him. He asks what that means. I tell him that nothing will really change just that I will have the right to see him on paper and that if anything ever happens again that he comes to me or Justin without having to go through the court. Gus said that he wanted to go see them.

 

Justin tells me that we should visit first and then he will stay behind and talk to them. I hope girls can be reasonable about this. Gus needs to know that he has that security.

Chapter 8 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Lorie the beta want to smack Michael. I did too.

LINDSEY’S POV

 

We got home last night after fun day and sat and talked. It was just random things, nothing heavy. It was the first time in a long time that we had done that. I decided that this morning I would make breakfast.

 

The phone rang. It was Justin he told me that Gus wanted to come this weekend for a visit. I was excited, I miss the kids but we need to let them have peace before we called. He told me that Brian was coming to and that was even better. I need to talk to him.

 

Mel came into the kitchen and wanted to know who called and I told her that Brian and Justin were bringing Gus to visit us. She didn’t say anything at first. She looked at me and said that it will be great to see Gus.

 

The phone rang again and it was JR. She wanted to tell us about her last couple days. She sounds like she has been having fun. Mel smiled, listening to the excitement in her voice. She told us about the exhibit at the college and how Brian offered her a job after looking at her drawing.

 

Mel asked if she was coming with Gus this weekend. JR told us that she didn’t know that they were coming. JR told her to talk to Ben. Ben said that he didn’t know anything about it either but would check with Brian later. I hope that wasn’t a mistake but I want to see JR too.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

Ben has been really silent since he came home with JR yesterday. I was watching a Spiderman movie and just hanging out. He asked if I just got back from work. I told him no I took the day off. That is the last he has said to me since last night.

 

JR wanted to talk to the girls and I wasn’t thrilled about it. I told her to call in the morning, I thought she would forget. After breakfast she asks Ben if they can call. She seemed happy talking to them. Then she asked Ben if we were going to visit the moms this weekend. Ben asked to talk to the girls and I asked JR what that was about.

 

I couldn’t believe that Brian didn’t tell me that he was going to take Gus down there. I decided to go to Kinnetik and tell him we need to talk about this stuff. Ben said to let him find out and not to go running to Brian demanding answers. Ben needs to understand that Brian should have discussed this with us. JR is going to be upset that Gus gets to go and she doesn’t.

 

I left for work, JR is with mom today. Justin and I are working on the comic. JR wanted to come with me. I told her that we would be busy working and that she would get bored. Justin walked in and sat down at his desk. He was pulling out storyboards.

 

“JR talked to the girls and they told us that you were going down there this weekend. Why didn’t Brian call and tell me?” I know I sound upset but I am.

“We didn’t tell you because it was for Gus. JR can come if she wants. Brian and I talked to Gus last night and he wants to see them. I have some stuff to talk to the girls about.” Justin tells me.

 

“I don’t want JR to see them. If it wasn’t for them fighting, JR wouldn’t have had to sit in a police station all night. I haven’t said anything yet but I think that maybe she needs to stay here.” Justin shrugs and starts working.

 

“Brian should agree with me. Gus was hurt too.” I want him to see my point.

 

“Michael, they aren’t bad mothers. They fight like all of us. They took it to far. JR is mad at them and wants them punished for it. Give her another few weeks and she is going to want to go home.” He tells me.

 

“None of have landed in jail for having an argument. I want to do what is best for my daughter and right now I don’t think they are the best.” Justin needs to see that I am right.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

I should have expected this but, you know. Brian planned to tell them today but he needed to be at work. Gus wanted to hang out with Em today. Em was going with Drew to an autograph signing and Gus is a big football fan. Me, I get stuck with Michael.

 

I understand that he is still upset.  He doesn’t think I know about his night in jail, but I do.

“Michael when you were mad because Deb wanted to date Carl, didn’t you spend the night in jail for mouthing off?” I watch Michael waiting.

 

“That was different, I was pissed that she would date him after the way he acted.” He always tries to excuse himself.

 

“No you decided that you were mad and to hell with everyone. Instead of minding your own business, you hurt your mother and got Brian and Ted put in jail with you. Mel and Linds didn’t think of anybody and hurt the kids. It’s not the same but it is.” I tell him.

 

Michael can listen, it’s just he takes time. He nods but isn’t happy.

 

“I guess seeing JR isn’t going to hurt anything but I think I should go too.” Michael decides. Brian is going to go postal.

 

“Let’s wait and talk about it when we get together for dinner.” I tell him.

 

We work through the afternoon. The store gets busy so I leave. I have enough that I don’t need to see Michael tomorrow. I drive to Kinnetik to see if Brian was free. He was in a meeting so I went to see if Ted wanted to go to lunch.

Ted and I were walking out when Theresa and Brian were letting the clients out. Brian asked us to wait. Theresa was getting the clients information packets and leading them out. Ted and I walked into Brian’s office.

 

“Where are you to going?” Brian asked.

 

“Lunch, I came to see if you wanted to go, but you were busy so Ted said he would.” I tell him.

 

“I can go now if you are ready. I want to try the new bistro in town.” He always wants to go healthy.

 

We were getting ready to leave when Theresa comes in.

 

“Mr. Kinney, Leo Brown called and asked if you have time to see him next week in Chicago.” She asks him.

 

“Justin, you have anything planned for next week?” He asks.

 

I tell him no. He tells her to plan for him to be there on Monday and Tuesday. He tells her to get a suite with 2 rooms. She just stands there for a second, looking lost. Brian gets her attention and asks if she needs to write it down. She writes it down and then kind of fumbles out the door.

 

Ted is laughing and Brian is smirking. I tell them both they need to be nice to her. Brian scares people. Why are they both laughing? We walk out and I walk over to her and tell her not to let Brian scare her. She nods and runs off. Someday people will see Brian isn’t that bad.

 

When we sit down to lunch I decide to let him know about Michael.

 

“JR talked to the girls, and they asked if she was coming with us. Michael told me.” I tell Brian.

 

“That must have been fun this morning.” Ted says.

 

“He queened a bit and then said it was fine that JR come, but he thinks he’s coming.” I know that isn’t all but I really don’t want to deal with Brian hearing it.

 

“I already talk to Ben. He said that JR can come with us and that he’ll deal with Michael.” Brian thinks that will work.

 

“Brian, Michael isn’t going to let this go.” Ted is so smart.




BRIAN’S POV

 

“I honestly don’t care if Michael wants to bitch about it. I am doing this for Gus, not him. If he wants to go, he can buy a ticket and go. I can’t stop him. If he thinks I’m going to finance his bitching mission, he needs to think again. He has been bitching and moaning about how JR doesn’t appreciate him enough, but dumps her off on anybody who will take her. Yesterday, he could have gone with his family, but instead he has lunch with me and runs home to watch a movie he’s seen 50 times. Did I have fun? Not really, but Gus did and that is what counts. Justin makes time for Gus and JR and he sees it as Justin interfering with JR. I buy things for my kid and I am hurting him because he can’t buy JR everything. JR wanted a sketchbook, they cost five dollars. No, he can’t get her something that she would want to do with Justin. Ben talks to him, I talk to him, everyone does, it doesn’t get through to him that she is a little girl. I am done, my son is what I care about.” With that I stop.

 

I am tired of worrying if Michael’s feelings get hurt. I have more important things to worry about.

 

“Justin we are going home when Gus gets back, and Ben can deal with Michael. If JR can go, we’ll take her, but otherwise I’m done with it.”

 

TED’S POV

 

I have heard all sorts of speeches from Brian but normally they protect Michael and Justin. I think I need to go talk to Michael and see if I can get him to listen. Brian is right, Gus needs him. Did I just side with Brian?

 

I get they are all dealing with the fallout of Mel and Linds. Emmett calls it the ‘Battle of the Bulls’. I wonder how Ben is dealing with Michael acting like the old Mikey. It’s been years since we have had to deal with it. Change is hard for Michael and when something changes he runs to Brian and expects him to solve it. Brian usually indulges Michael.

 

Michael has to realize that this time Gus is going to come first.

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Can I just say WOW? Brian usually internalizes his feeling, so I think I can say that he’s done. I can’t help it, I do my happy dance in my head. Which is usually me and Brian naked. Michael will calm down and Brian will let it go. I know this is just about Gus and the talk we had the other night. He feels responsible for fighting with Mel. Gus thinks it’s his fault and Brian needs to take the pain away. Michael whining is just one thing too many.

 

We finish lunch and walk back to Kinnetik. I need Brian to relax. I walk into his office with him and drag him with me into the bathroom.

I left Kinnetik and Brian with a smile. Walking out, I wave to Cynthia and Theresa walking towards me. Theresa should reconsider heels if she trips so much.

 

Gus was going to be dropped off at the diner. I wanted to get him and go. Why can’t I get what I want once in this lifetime? Deb grabs me and ask why we didn’t tell anyone we were taking Gus to see the girls. I told her that I had an art thing to discuss with Lindsay and Gus wanted to see them so we planned to go. Deb told me that Michael expects to go too, and that I need to tell Brian that it’s a really bad idea.

 

I was surprised, usually Deb thinks Michael walks on water.

 

“Justin, he wants to go down there and cause a fight. He told me and Em he is thinking of suing again for custody. Michael isn’t thinking straight. I know what the girls did was stupid, but they are the moms. Kids need their mothers.” Deb tells me.

 

Deb believes mothers nurture like she does. She smoothers but she means well. I think with Michael, it was just the two of them, so she overcompensated and you have whiney Michael. The rest of us aren’t her kids, she helped us, was there when you needed her, but let us learn to solve our own problems. With Michael it was everyone doing for him.

 

“Brian already said if Michael wants to go, he can go by himself.” I tell her.

 

Deb nods and walks out of the diner. I wondered why she was here, she was off today. Guess Michael called to complain. Gus walks in and Emmett waves and leaves. Gus has on a Jersey and a hat. It looks like Drew had the team sign it for him.


I tell Gus his dad wanted to have dinner at home instead of at the diner. He said that while he was with Emmett, Michael called and told him about going to Florida this weekend. I told Gus that as far as I know it’s just the three of us, unless JR comes.

Chapter 9 by starlight

MEL’S POV

 

We are back at Dr. Bradford’s office with notebooks in hand and ready. She gets us and tells us to have a seat. Today we are going to talk about our questions. She tells us to switch notebooks and read the questions and when we’re done she needs to see them.

 

I read them and there it is, why am I mad about the affair, Brian and her family. The one about did I still love her was sad. The last one, about moving back to Pittsburgh is one I asked myself. I hand it to Dr. Bradford and know that I need to make sure that we tell the truth. I want Lindsay and I to make it. I realized that yesterday. I also realized that blaming her and Brian didn’t excuse my behavior, but in order to fix this I also have to stop blaming everyone.

 

Lindsay finished and hand it over.

 

“Are you ready to answer, remember no ‘I think’, I need facts and you both need to tell each other.”

 

I swear it’s like Brian sitting there.

 

I decide to go first. She told us she would prompt the questions and we answer.

 

Why is Mel still mad about something that happened seven years ago?

 

“It’s because I met him and we had him to dinner and I was friendly to him. You let him into our lives and I was serving dinner to someone you had an affair with.”

 

Dr. Bradford asks if this answers her question. Lindsay nods yes.

 

What upsets Mel about Brian?

 

“I wonder, if Brian wasn’t gay would you be a lesbian? I don’t understand your need to tell him everything and not tell me. If he called, you would drop everything and run to him. You depend on him for everything and hide things from me when it involves Brian.” I tell her.

 

She starts to say something but Dr. Bradford tells her that she needs to only nod yes or no. She nods yes.

 

Why can’t Mel understand that although my family isn’t great, I can’t stop loving them?

 

“That is an easy one, Lindsay I don’t like that they hurt you. I know you love them and I don’t care if you love them. I just want you to stop trying to please them, when they just hurt you.” I tell her.

 

She nods without prompt.

Does she still love me?

 

“I will love you always. You are who I picture growing old with.” I almost cried at that question.

She nods again.

 

Why can’t we move back to Pittsburgh?

 

“I can’t live near Deb and Michael again. We can move close but not the same town if you want that. We never had a moment’s peace. I am willing, once we get done with counseling and Child Services.” I have been thinking about it but I want to be somewhere that everyone can’t just walk in all the time.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I nodded and was smiling when she said that. I could live with being harder to reach but being close to see people we know.

 

Dr. Bradford told me it was my turn

 

When we fight why does she feel the need to bring up Brian?

 

“Before we met, Brian was the person who helped me. He listens and doesn’t judge me. You don’t do those things. Before I can even finish saying anything you start telling me your opinion.” I answer.

 

Mel nods

 

Why did she not tell me that she was asking Brian for money?

 

“We didn’t have money to pay bills and feed the kids. I knew that Brian would help but you would get pissed. I took the easy way out and didn’t tell you. It wasn’t just to prove Brian would provide better, it was to take care of us.” I refuse to excuse myself for taking care of the kids.

 

Why did she cheat with a man?

 

“I have so many ways to answer that but I am going to tell you what Justin told me. I was a shit and selfish, it was in heat of the moment, and when we were done, I walked away. If Sam had been a woman would it had been any better?” I look directly into Mel’s eyes.

 

She shakes her head. Then tells the doctor that it has been answered.

 

Did she regret the moves to Canada and Florida?

 

“Yes, because I think we keep trying to sweep our problems under a rug.” I don’t say anymore because to me that is the truth.

 

Dr. Bradford asked us about the parenting class and we explained what we came out with. She seemed happy that we paid attention and discussed it together. She asked how we spent the last two days and I told her the first day was hard. We didn’t talk to each other. The second day we discussed our biggest regrets and then decided to have a fun day.

 

She was impressed that we did that. She asked about the regrets and Mel said that the Canada move was done for the wrong reasons. I told her that giving up on my art. She asked if I still drew or painted at all. I shrugged and said yes. She asked then why did I think I gave up. I told her I never went to New York and tried. She said was that being an artist, or was that just wanting recognition.

 

We were on our way home, and I know now that I saw being an artist as fame and recognition.

 

Justin said that to him being an artist meant being able to create something.

 

“I think it’s time for me to just create for me.” I tell Mel.

 

“I think that is a wonderful idea.” She says smiling.

 

Dr. Bradford wanted us to continue with the questions but she wanted to focus on helping us to solve problems without fighting.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

After locking up I headed to the diner. I talked to Ma and Emmett and told them about Brian and this weekend. Ma said that maybe it would be best to just let JR go. I told her that I needed to be there in case JR had any problems. Emmett just said that I needed to make sure that I was doing it for JR.

 

I walked in and saw Ben, but no one else. Everyone must be running late. Ben told me he ordered for us already.

 

“Is Brian running late?” I ask.

 

“No, He said to tell you that he needed to be with Gus.” Ben tells me.

 

Brian needs to talk to me about this weekend and he isn’t getting out of it. I pick up my phone and call him. It goes to voicemail. I try Justin and the same. I was about to call their house phone when Ben takes my phone.

 

“Brian isn’t going to discuss this with you because it has nothing to do with you. I told them that

JR can go. Before you say anything. She wants to see her mothers. I think that is a good thing. You need to think of her first and your feelings second.” Ben tells me.

 

“JR needs me to be there if something happens. She thinks that it is going to be all fun. I don’t want the girls to do anything to hurt her.” I tell him.

 

Doesn’t he realize that the girls shouldn’t get a free pass. I am going to be there and they are going to listen to me. I decided today that I want to see a lawyer about custody.

 

“Michael she has been here for 3 days and you have spent a total of 15 hours with her. You could have been with us yesterday but instead you stayed home. If you want to be a part time parent, then you’re doing fine. You need to take this weekend and figure out how you are going to take care of her.” Ben tells me.

 

BEN’S POV

 

Michael seems to think that if his mom or I are with JR then he has done his job. When I came home and found out that he had stayed home, I knew that if I said anything it was going to be bad. It took till this morning for me to calm down.

 

I want him to see that he isn’t going to win father of the year. JR doesn’t care if she has fun. Michael has to understand that he can’t leave us to take care of her when she doesn’t do what he wants. I talked to Deb earlier and she told me about him saying he wanted custody. I can’t support that.

 

“I’m not perfect like Justin and I don’t dump her on people. She has fun at Ma’s house and you didn’t ask me to go.” Michael is really not thinking.

 

“What did Justin do, he took her to his house, she swam, ate and played. It wasn’t complicated

Michael. I don’t see anything that you couldn’t do. If you wanted to that is.” I want him to understand this is about him.

 

“Brian should have been here tonight we need to talk about how to help the kids.” Michael is grasping now.

 

TED’S POV

 

I walked into hear Michael trying to make it sounds like Brian owes it to him to be here. You know what, I think I’ll take a page out of Justin’s book. Michael waves me over.

 

“Ted, don’t you think that if it involves the kids, Brian should be here?” He wants me to agree

 

I shrug and look over a menu I know by heart.

 

“Ted why aren’t you saying anything?” Michael tries again.

 

“I don’t have a dog in this fight. I came to get something to eat.” I tell him.

 

Ben smiles and I know that Michael really wants to go because he thinks Brian is going to back him up. After lunch today, I know Brian is done with it. Ben needs all of us to let him deal with his husband so instead of trying to get involved I am going to order to go.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

My cell had 7 calls from Michael but I wanted to go home hang out with Gus and Justin. I got home and they made roasted chicken and all the sides. I had a salad and the chicken. Gus was bursting about meeting football players from all the teams and that Drew got him a jersey and had everyone sign it.

 

Justin told me that he got the flight for Friday afternoon. Ben called and said that JR is going and not to worry. I wanted it just to be us three but JR needs to see them too.

 

Michael called again and then called Justin’s phone. We switched them off. I told Gus that I wanted to go swimming. We all got in and relaxed for the evening. No drama.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

Ben told me that JR is going and I don’t need to make it into a big issue. We picked her up and came home. She was excited about going so I backed off.

 

I waited until 8 AM, then headed to Kinnetik. Brian is not going to ignore me. I knew that Ben wasn’t going to like this. I brought JR with me since everyone acts like I am ignoring her. When Brian sees me he told me to go into his office. He asked JR if she wanted to see the art department. Cynthia took her.

 

“Tell me that you just want to give me a list of things JR is allergic to.” Brian thinks this is a joke.

 

“Brian, I came to talk to you. You want to take my daughter back to see her mothers, don’t you think as her father I should be there?” I tell him.

 

“Michael I didn’t say you couldn’t go. Buy a ticket and arrange to go. You’re an adult, you can do that. I just said that I was going. My son wants to see his mothers, I am taking him. Nothing to talk about.” Brian starts looking at things on his desk.

 

“I thought we could go together. You know, to support each other and the kids.” Michael seems to think I need him to hold my hand.

 

“If you get on the same flight and book the same hotel I guess it will be like we went together.” Brian picks up the phone and tells them to bring in the boards.

 

“If that’s all, I need to get to work.” He dismissed me.

 

I get up and walk out. I can’t believe that he is acting like it doesn’t matter if I’m there. I started walking down the sidewalk. I need to talk to Ma, maybe she can make them see that I need to be there. Ben isn’t listening. My daughter needs me. What kind of father isn’t there when she is going to have to deal with the girls. I refuse to not think of my daughter’s needs.

 

My phone rings, it’s Brian. I knew he would change his mind.

 

“Michael did you forget something when you left.” He asks me.

 

“No, did you realize that you should have invited me to go with you.” I ask.

 

“Nope, but you know I can have Justin take JR for the day if you were going to leave her here.” Brian tells me.

 

I turn around and tell him that JR can go with them. I need to do a lot of thinking this weekend.

Chapter 10 by starlight

 

 

MEL’S POV

 

After the session we both walked out feeling better. It wasn’t just the questions. I think it was also the fact that we talked. I know we aren’t there yet, but my thought of did we still want to be together, is yes we do. When Lindsay asked me if it was a woman, would what happened have been any better. I realized no it wouldn’t.

 

She surprised me when she didn’t make excuses for the cheating. I have been using Brian as an excuse for my cheating. I need to put the blame where it belongs. So tonight my questions are simple.

 

Where would be a good place to live?

 

Can we talk before you talk to Brian?

 

What can I do to help you grow as an artist?

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

It was different today when we left the therapist. I now see that avoiding things really hurt the relationship. I married her knowing that she is an in charge person. I liked that, it took things out of my hands. I should have talked to her about the money but I was concerned about the kids. I think that with, no, I know that with the help we are getting we can make it.

 

My questions for Mel are easy to write.

 

Where are we going to live?

 

If I talk to you will you listen and not judge me?

 

Can you talk to me before we get in an argument about what upset you?

 

GUS’S POV

 

My sister is such a dork. When she found out that she was going on this trip, she asked to sit with Justin. Dad told her to find her own boyfriend. She turned red and ran to Justin. I am actually kind of excited about seeing the moms. I just hope that when Justin brings up the custody thing that it won’t become a big thing.

 

JR told me about her dad forgetting her at Kinnetik. She thought it was funny. Ben, not so much. Michael is in the dog house right now. JR said that he actually has been really good about doing things with her for the last couple days. They went to park so she could sketch and play. He took her to see a movie she wanted to see. Maybe Justin is right, that Michael needs to learn in his own time.

 

Dad has been really busy. He said that because he has to attend a meeting after going to see moms, we have to go to Chicago for two days. JR is going with us. Justin told dad he would take us out so Dad could work. We have been looking at places to go. Justin and I decided on the Chicago Children’s Museum and the Shedd Aquarium. Dad was happy that he didn’t have to go.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

Michael is acting like a dad. I guess forgetting your kid will do that to you. He hasn’t come by or called in two days. Ben is the one who dropped her off with me this morning. We are leaving at 11AM. She skipped off to see what Murph and the art department were doing. Justin is on his way with Gus. When we get there, the kids are going to their moms and Justin and I are going to have some us time. Saturday, it’s the beach for me and the kids. Justin wants to talk to them alone. When I bring the kids back, we are going to dinner. Saturday night till it’s time to leave late Sunday, the girls can keep the kids.

 

When Justin arrived I knew immediately. Theresa was talking to another employee then just turned and ran the other way. Justin hasn’t figured it out yet. We keep him in the dark because, to us it’s funny.

 

Cynthia told me she is an art fan, like huge and Justin is the first artist who has shows, that she has ever met in person.

 

Justin isn’t huge, but he is getting there. He has been offered more shows but he keeps the number of painting to 10 and they are selling in the thousands now. His agent told him he needs to produce, he told her he had a sugar daddy and that he doesn’t have to. After the shock wore off, he told her that he won’t paint something just so they have wall space covered. She tried to talk to me about it. I told her I was the sugar daddy and didn’t care. Justin actually has 40 paintings at the house finished, he told me that until he feels it’s time, he isn’t showing them.

 

I was worried that he wouldn’t have the time to get ready for his show, but he told me that he had enough paintings but when he need to paint he would. I left it alone after that.

 

We got on the plane. I let JR sit with Justin. It gave me time with Gus if he need to talk. I am glad he talks to Justin, but I want him to know he can talk to me.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Mel and Lindsay were waiting for us and I can see they miss the kids. Brian was renting a car and I was talking to the girls.

 

“We could have taken you to your hotel.” Lindsay offered.

 

“Brian wanted a way for us to get around. We planned to leave the kids with you until Sunday night.” I can tell that made them happy.

 

“They are staying at the house?” Mel asks.

 

“We thought you guys could have time together without us in the way. If you need us to, we’ll take them with us.” I hope they were ready to have the kids.

 

“Thank you, I didn’t want to make an assumptions. I think we need to be able to be a family together.” Mel tells me smiling down at the kids.

 

“I need to talk to both of you tomorrow. JR and Gus are going to the beach with Brian so we can talk. Will that be okay?” I ask.

 

“That’s fine if you need to.” Mel tells me.

 

We leave, the kids with their moms, Brian with me. Brian and I have dinner and spend the rest of the night making up for not having much alone time lately.

 

Brian drops me off and picks up the kids at 10AM. I wasn’t look forward to this. Mel was either going get defensive, or she was going to listen, I wasn’t sure which it would be.

 

MEL’S POV

 

I’m kind of nervous about this. Justin would usually get whatever he needs to say out of the way. When he first came in, it was small talk and I want to just shake it out of him.

 

“Let me get this out and then you guys can ask away. Brian wants you to give him partial custody. Nothing is going to change, it’s just so that if anything happens, we don’t have to go through a lot a red tape to get Gus. He is also going to give you child support, set in stone on paper. I asked to tell you so that we could talk about it, not fight.” Justin stops and waits for us to talk

 

I am going to be honest, the minute I realized what the asshole wanted I was ready to tear his balls off. I wasn’t going to listen anymore. I stopped and decided to ask questions, then if I didn’t like the answers, I’m going to tear Brian’s balls off.

 

“What exactly does he want when you say ‘partial custody’.” I know I sound tense.

 

“He wants exactly what you guys already do. School breaks and some holidays. The lawyer wants the child support on paper. It also means that he is legally allowed the rights of a parent. You are still his mother and have your rights. It’s because of situations like this. Child Services could have said no and put Gus in foster care. Michael’s paper work gave him JR, no hassle. We had to go through background checks. You don’t have to make a decision today but we need you to let him know by tomorrow.” Justin stops and watches me.

 

I look at Lindsay and tell Justin that we need to talk in private. We go to the bedroom.

 

“Look I want to say no, just on principle, but I know that what he is asking isn’t anything new for us. I mean he gets those times already and Justin is right, they could have taken Gus to foster care. Tell me what you honestly think.” I ask Lindsay.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

“I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I mean Brian should have the same rights as Michael. Brian pays for Gus. Michael doesn’t pay anything towards JR. Normally, Brian pays for the flight to Pittsburgh and we pay for the flight back. I want to make sure that Gus goes to someone who loves him if something were to happen.” I stop to see how she’s taking it.

 

“I know you’re right, and I know he loves Gus. I can’t sit here and say we are the better parents. It just feels like he wins.” Mel tells me.

 

“Tell me what he wins, other than the right to be as much of a parent as Michael?” I ask her.

 

“We’ll do it. Give Gus the same as JR. I agree that is the right thing. Lindsay, if he gives me a hard time about this, you need to help me, not him.” Mel tells me.

 

I know that she needs to see that I have her back on this, and I will. When I heard Brian was coming my first thought was, good I need someone to talk to. After our session I realized that I need to talk to Mel. Brian and I need to become the kind of friends who talk about fun stuff and our past. Mel needs to be the person I talk to about my feelings and wants.

 

We walk back out to talk to Justin. When Mel said she and I agreed to it. He hugged us both. We went to dinner at this really great seafood restaurant in town, Mel and Justin got drunk on margaritas. Those two drunk are funny they lose track of what they are talking about and then think everything is funny. JR and Gus thought that they were nuts.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

When Justin told me they agreed, I asked if he slipped Mel anything first. Mel looked at me, and with a straight face, said yes Justin slipped her something big. Well okay then. Then she explained that she wanted Gus to have the same as JR. I told her to expect the papers next week sometime. I was waiting all night for Mel to act like Mel, it never happened.

 

Lindsay and I put the kids to bed and the drunks on the couch. We walked outside and sat on the steps together. Lindsay told me that the therapy is helping and the parenting class is an eye opener, and that they plan to do everything they can to complete it in the next six weeks. It was different she usually tells me everything wrong in her world. Instead I get what she has been doing. It’s nice.

 

Then she drops a bomb, but a good one. Her and Mel want to move back close to Pittsburgh. Mel want to be somewhere not as close to everyone but near enough that it wouldn’t take more than an hour or two to see everyone. I need to talk to Justin. I told her to let me know when she was ready and we would help.

 

I think that night was the first night I actually breathed easily, Gus was going to get everything he wants. I can’t talk to the wino next to me in bed right now. He would probably move them into the house so Mel and I could burn it down to kill each other. I have an idea for them.

 

When we get up I tell Justin that they want to move back and he was thrilled about it. We decided to wait until the girls were ready to tell the kids. I told him they wanted to be far enough away that the family couldn’t just show up on a whim. The house has 6 acres of land and a caretaker’s house. It has four bedrooms and 2 baths. It’s also on the other side of the tennis courts. We never really bother with it. It was just part of the property. I figure when they are ready we’ll talk about it. It far enough away that you can’t just show up. No one shows unless they call. That is my rule.

 

Justin said that we should at least mention it. It’s not like they have to take it but it would be a good place until they decide where to go. Instead of telling Lindsay, I pull Mel aside and tell her. She said that she and Lindsay would talk about it and let me know.

 

I put my hand on her head and ask if she feels okay. She pulled my hand off and called me an asshole. It wasn’t the usual way she does it. What the hell? I’m not going to complain.

 

Chapter 11 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I tried really hard to be nice but well Mikey was screaming in my head.

MEL’S POV

 

It’s been a strange weekend. I’m so use to Brian and I sniping at each other, instead it was just a fun weekend. Sunday morning was the kids and Lindsay, we had breakfast and the kids were telling us the stuff going on in Pittsburgh.

 

JR told us about how at first, she and Michael seem to be having problems and then when he left her at Kinnetik he started spending some time with her. I was worried about Michael. He doesn’t do well thinking about other people. JR told us about Justin at the art exhibit and how people act like he’s famous. I guess we never really talked to her about Justin, beyond that he is a friend. JR wanted to go play with her toys for a while. I think Gus asked her to do that so he could talk to us.

When Gus told us what he told his dad and Justin, Lindsay and I were in tears. Did we really put this much on his shoulders? He told us what his dad told him and we told him that his dad was right we are adults and not children. It’s our responsibility to act like adults and handle our problems without making him feel like he did anything wrong. He looked at both of us and said “Welcome back Mama and Mommy.”

 

GUS’ POV

 

Justin told me that I needed to tell the moms how I felt. That half the problem is that we aren’t honest with each other. It was hard because it hurt their feelings, but Mama said Dad was right. I almost asked her to repeat it so I could record it for Dad.

 

After that, the moms said no more sad things, and that we were going to have fun day. We went out to the beach and just did what normal families do. I was glad that I came. I miss them and want to be able to have good memories of us, like Justin does for JR and I.

 

When it was time to go, we all went to the airport and the moms hugged and hugged us. They promised to call once a day and that at the end of the summer, be ready for us.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I am going to miss my babies, but I know Mel and I need to be ready for them. We drove back to the house giggling. Mel told me that Brian and she talked about the carriage house on his property and that we could move in there if we wanted to. He also offered to sell it to us if we decided that we wanted to live there.

 

I asked her how she really felt about that. She told me that it would make getting a job easier, it’s only a 30 or 40 minute drive to Pittsburgh and the house is actually far enough away from Britin that we have our own place.

 

I want to know if she can handle having Brian as our neighbor. Mel said that someone would be our neighbor, and Brian would probably want to see us as much as we want to see him. It would also be good for Gus. He would get to see Justin and Brian as much as he needed.

 

It’s funny we love the kids equally, but Mel is worried more for Gus. I wonder sometimes how our biological children are more like the non-biological parent. JR is all art and Gus is business. I guess we never gave them the impression that they had to take after us. We have been doing something right.

 

I am actually looking forward to making progress so we can be a family again.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

The three children are excited to go to Chicago. Justin has all these plans for museums and aquariums. JR and Gus actually excused me from going, their reasoning, ‘Justin does the fun stuff’. Works for me.

 

I got through with Leo on Tuesday afternoon and was going to relax at the hotel. We were leaving in the morning. Michael started calling. I waited till I was in the room to call back.

 

“Where is my kid, I let you take her to the girls. I thought you would only be there for the weekend.” I guess he didn’t talk to Ben.

 

“Yes, but like I told your husband, I had a business trip. We are in Chicago and are coming back tomorrow. Justin took the kids to a museum and aquarium for the two days we’re here. I didn’t see the point in dropping off JR, when it’s something she would enjoy doing.” I tell him.

 

“Great, now something else I have to compete with. I don’t have all the money in the world to take her to do these things. Justin just happily spends your money and looks like the good guy. I look like an ass that doesn’t do anything for her. Why couldn’t you have just let her come home?” Michael is feeling neglected.

 

Michael was still going on. I pulled the phone from my ear and looked down at it. Fuck it. I hung up. I wanted to turn it off but Justin might call. It rang five more times in a row. When Justin and the kids came in, I called Cynthia and told her to send any emergency calls to Justin’s phone. I also made sure to tell her that Michael wasn’t an emergency.

 

We had dinner while the kids competed for attention. I called Ben and told him to talk to Michael.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

It took me days to get out of the dog house with Ben. JR just had to tell Ben that I left her at Kinnetik. I tried to explain that I had a lot on my mind and that I forgot. Ben didn’t care, I needed to think about my kid, not about Brian not letting me have my way.

 

I know that, but I didn’t think they were going to take her all over the place. I have made a point of spending time with JR and doing what she wanted. I was bored, but I did it. Justin is made out to be the good guy taking them to major things I can’t afford. I wasn’t told that they were going to keep her all week. I thought about telling Brian it was kidnapping when you take a kid and don’t let the parent know. He hung up before and won’t answer.

 

Ben came home and told me that he knew about it and thought it would be nice for JR. I told him how we were going to seem so boring in comparison. I don’t think he understands how hard this is for me. I was still made me mad that Brian isn’t listening to me.

 

I walked out of the house and went to Ma, she and Carl were watching TV.

 

“Hey Michael. What are you doing here tonight?” Ma asks.

 

I told her that JR was still with Brian and Justin and that no one told me. I told her that I thought that Justin spoiling JR it was going to cause problems when she had to spend time in the real world. Carl looked at me and shook his head. I asked what he wanted to say.

 

“Michael, JR is on vacation, if someone wants to take her to do fun things, you let them. You can explain to her that you might not go to museums and aquariums, but things like biking, parks and movie nights can be fun. All you have to do is include a kid and they have fun.” Carl tells me.

 

“I was mad because they didn’t tell me that they were keeping JR till tomorrow. I might have had plans.” I need them to see my side of this.

 

“Michael even I knew JR was going with them to Chicago. Ben and JR told me. Did you have plans?” Ma says waiting for me to answer.

 

I got up and left they act like I’m being unreasonable. Why can’t Brian understand that he could have invited me to go to Chicago to help out.

 

JR’S POV

 

It was neat, I got to touch a turtle and see dolphins and sharks. Gus loved the Children’s Museum, you got to do hands on stuff. I can’t wait to tell Dad and Ben. I sketch some of the animals. I asked Gus is this what summer is like for him. He said no they usually just do normal things, like swimming and going to the park. Gus thinks that Justin and Dad thought we need to do things to take our minds off the moms.

I wanted to make a new scrapbook, so I could show Dad and Granny Deb. Justin took me to a hobby store to get the supplies and went to get the pictures we took printed out. He asked if I wanted help but I want to try on my own. Gus is too old for it according to him but when I got started he helped.

 

Tomorrow we go back to Pittsburgh, I can’t wait. I have so much to tell everyone.

 

BEN’S POV

 

Michael came home after I assume talking to anyone he thought would listen. He asked me why I didn’t tell him that JR was going to go to Chicago. I asked if he had listened when JR and I talked at the dinner table about her going. He was there.

 

I love Michael, but he needs to stop trying to make this into a competition of ‘Who is the best father’. He looked at me then said he thought it was just Brian and Justin going. I told him no when JR told him she said that she couldn’t wait to go to the aquarium.

 

“I guess I wasn’t listening.” Michael shrugs and walks to the bedroom.

 

I talked to Brian and he said tell Michael to get it under control. JR had fun and is going to want to share it with Michael. Michael is still upset about not being invited to go with Brian to the girls. I know this has been hard on all of us but it’s only the first week. What is he going to do for the next two months?

 

JR is going to want to spend time with Justin and Gus, she loves them and they love her. I won’t let Michael make her feel bad about it. I’m going to suggest Gus spend next weekend with us. Let Michael and I  do things with the kids. Michael might feel better about it.

 

“Michael, how about we invite Gus to stay with us next weekend. We can take them camping and hiking?” I ask him.

 

He sits on the bed, arms folded across his chest. “Sure, then you know what, Justin will take them to Atlantis.”

 

“You know what, I’m going to take them camping, if you want to stay at home and be pissed because Justin loves your kid, you do that.” I am tired of him acting like this.

 

When the kids left Michael was actually happy and we were back to my Michael. We went out with the guys and generally had a good time. It wasn’t till Monday night when JR was still gone this started up again. JR loves her dad, she understands that Michael doesn’t know what to do with a little girl. She didn’t care that Deb or Justin entertained her, as long as Michael loves her.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

Ben meet us at the airport to get JR. He asked if Gus wanted to go camping next weekend and if it was okay with us. We let Gus decide. I told Ben just let me know what they needed. He said this is on him, to thank us for taking JR.

 

I dropped Brian off at his office and Gus and I headed home. Daphne was coming over, she didn’t make the barbeque because she had a date. Gus was thrilled, he has a crush on her. Brian told me this was going to be a late night. He and Ted were going to Woody’s and then Babylon. He wanted me to go but I told him that Daphne was coming over and we wanted to hang out.

 

Ted wants to hire a couple extra managers because neither of us goes there a lot. Brian said at first the idea of owning the club was fun. After the bombing he saw it as a business and that meant being serious about it. Ted wants to have time to date. I think that he should call Blake. He told me that there was too much history. They tried again while I was in New York and just couldn’t seem to make it. I think Ted is too much in his head. Blake is only a few years older than I am. Ted is always worried that Blake will leave him for someone younger and exciting. I told Ted Blake was done with that. He was ready for home and hearth. Hopefully Ted will get a clue.

 

Gus was doing flips and dives in the pool to show off for Daphne. Then he asked her to wait for him and he would marry her. Daphne told him that when he turned 21 to call her, she would drop whoever she was with for him. I think she created a monster.

Chapter 12 by starlight

 

 

 

MEL’S POV

 

We had another session with Dr. Bradford today and it was fun. When we read the questions we had the same kind of questions. We decided that we are going to take Brian up on the offer of the carriage house. Lindsay told me that when she and Brian talked on Saturday night it was general not specific. That she was going to talk to me. Brian didn’t need to hear it. She told me that she just needed me to look and tell her what I see when I look at her art.

 

Her questions were faster. We already agreed about where to live. I told her that from now on I would listen and offer advice not opinions. I also told her that when we feel like we are going to argue that instead that we do as Dr. Bradford suggested we walk away until we feel we can talk.

Dr. Bradford asked us to tell her about the weekend. We were telling her about dinner and that we felt that having the kids alone really helped us, as well as the kids. I told her about Gus. She asked if we felt that Gus got what he needed from us and how do we feel about the partial custody.

 

I told her that I let Brian be an excuse for our problems. That Gus was right when he said that if it had been Justin helping out, I probably would have been okay with it. Lindsay said that she didn’t help matters when she ran to Brian.

 

We all laughed when we talked about Michael forgetting JR. Dr. Bradford asked how our relationship with Michael was. We told her that Michael tends to fly off the handle when he feels that he isn’t being told things. Like when we moved. Dr. Bradford said she agreed with him. He has parental rights and we abused them. We agreed with her. I just didn’t want to deal with him at the time.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

Dr. Bradford asked if we are moving again for the right reasons. I told her that after all this, we knew that we needed to be home. She looked at Mel and asked if being that close to Brian was something she could handle. Mel told her that she realized that Brian isn’t the root of all evil. She is responsible for the problems and cheating. Brian didn’t point her to the woman and throw them in bed. Mel did that on her own. That instead of us talking to each other, we ran from each other.

I was really excited because I feel we finally see the problems, and understand the reasons for them. Dr. Bradford told us when we leave today that if we have questions still write them down, but also share them before our next appointment. She feels that Mel and I progressed fast and could do it. We are still going to see her and talk because she wants us to work on how to have conversations and not argue.

 

When we leave I tell Mel we need to start planning, because I want to be home by the end of August. Mel has talked to her old firm and they said that she could come back, not as partner but to the firm. I called Sydney and he said that he would love to have me back. We are going forward.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

Do I miss the life I had, no. I won’t become the person who didn’t know it’s time to leave the party. You know who I am talking about, the guy who is standing at the bar and looking at kids young enough to be his. Plus, Babylon is my business. I can have fun and play, but why bother when I have Justin a phone call away.

 

Ted wants to put some managers in place. He doesn’t want to be here seven days a week anymore. I don’t blame him. Justin and I were here three to four times a week before we had Gus with us. Justin likes to dance and talk to people. I come for the booze. We decided to hire two, and they were going to meet us here. We stopped by Woody’s and hung out with Emmett and Drew, then came to Babylon. Wednesday isn’t extremely busy. I told Ted to hire who he wanted.

I saw Brandon, he seems to be having a good time. Looking around, I was satisfied that we were making enough money tonight. I see Ben coming in the door. He heads straight for me.

 

“Have you seen Michael?” Ben asks me.

 

I shake my head no. What is wrong now.

 

“He left dinner with Deb, JR and I. JR was showing her book to us and he just got up and left. I thought he might have come here or... I don’t know.” Ben looks upset.

 

I tell him I haven’t even heard from Michael. I took out my phone and see if he’s called, nope. I asked him if he wanted me and Ted to help look for him. He asked me to call Michael to see if he would answer. It went straight to voicemail. We got Ted to try same thing. We decided to call everyone to see if they had seen him. Emmett and Drew were on their way. Daphne told Justin she would stay with Gus. Justin said he would look and see if maybe he’d broken down driving to our house. Michael took Deb’s car when he left.

 

I can’t believe he is running around hiding. I almost told Ben we should just let him pout on his own. Michael is behaving like an ass and here we all are trying to find him. Deb called Carl but Carl told her that he can’t run around looking for a grown man, unless she wants to say he stole the car. I can’t believe Michael is causing everyone to worry when his daughter needs him.

 

BEN’S POV

 

We were at Deb’s house having dinner and Michael seemed like he was fine. JR told them that she wanted to show us her new scrapbook from Chicago. I liked that she put the pictures with the captions. I asked where she got the idea to do that. She said that Justin showed them how to do it. Michael looked for a second, asked his mom for her car key, then just left.

 

I looked at home, his shop and the diner. I called Woody’s and still no Michael. I thought maybe he would have gone to Babylon. Brian and Ted hadn’t seen him. We asked the bartenders they said no. Where the hell is he?

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Brian is pissed about us having to look for Michael. I’m not exactly thrilled either but what can you do. I got all the way to the club and no Michael. Brian told Ted to stay and if he showed to call. Ben and Brian hopped into my car and we started driving. Brian keep trying to call, no answer. We gave up after four hours and drove Ben home.

 

We got home and decided that maybe he would call. We woke up late because we didn’t get in bed till almost three in the morning. Brian had a meeting so he went to work. I called Ben to see if Michael came home he said no. Deb and he had to be at work so I got Gus and we went to pick up JR. I figured we could hang out at the loft today.

 

We were keeping it from the kids. Brian and Ben said that it was better for them to think everything was normal. JR skipped to the car and we headed to the loft. I got JR an easel and paint and Gus went to play on the game system in the bedroom. We lost track of time. Brian was coming into the loft, I looked up at the clock and saw it was already 4pm. I walked over to see that JR had been trying to paint me painting. It was good in an abstract kind of way. Gus was busy killing everything and food was all around him.

 

I looked at Brian and he shook his head no. He told me that we were going to keep JR tonight. Guess Ben is still going to look for Michael.

 

GUS’ POV

 

When Justin left I knew something was going on but they were being quiet about it. I started to worry until I saw Dad and Justin come in. I called Mama and Mom this morning and they were fine. I decided not to worry about it, the people I need to be okay are fine.

 

JR told me that Michael wasn’t home. Guess that what’s going on. I don’t always get Michael, he is usually okay, but sometimes I think he doesn’t like Justin. I don’t think he hates him or anything just doesn’t like him all the time. He and Justin work together and I know they spend time out together so what causes him to get mad? I want to ask Justin, but I’ll wait.

 

JR’S POV

 

Dad is being a brat again. I don’t understand him. He was fine and then he just leaves and tells no one. All the adults think Gus and I don’t notice Dad is missing. I was worried about it. Gus said not to unless someone tells us something is wrong. He’s my Dad, he should be here for me.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I spent the day with Deb calling every five minutes looking for Michael. I told her that until he gets over whatever caused this new tantrum, he was going to act like a child. Deb tried to say that Michael has just been upset with everything and needs his friends. I told her that a 35 year old man just isn’t as important as a 13 year old and a 9 year old. She hung up.

 

I called Ben and he said he’s gone by the shop. Michael is nowhere. I told him jokingly to check to see if any charges to New York were made. Hey, I thought it was funny. Ben told me he would come by the loft and check on JR.

 

I called it a day at 4. I took the next day off. We are all caught up and until we get some new accounts all the others were ready. Justin told me they were going to the loft. I order some pizza and salads for us. They were all there and Justin had this puzzled look on his face when I came in. He is like that, he forgets time if he is creating. I walk to see what he’s painting and it’s Gus and JR running around each other in a yard. They look like they are having the time of their lives. He painted it with toys around the edges and a dragonfly on Gus’s shoulder about to take flight. It’s a simple concept but you see the excitement in it.

 

Justin looks at JR’s painting and analyzes it like it’s a masterpiece. She is vibrating to hear what he thinks.

 

“You are doing really well. I think paint is your medium. Sketching, you tend to think too much, but you can tell you just let it flow here.” Justin tells JR.

 

This is what Michael misses. JR just want you to be interested in what she does. I look and it’s not Justin’s caliber but for someone whose, 9 it’s pretty good. She looks at me and I tell her to finish it and she has her first sale. She is floating now. Justin smiles at me.

 

Gus runs out to see and stops when he sees Justin’s painting.

 

“I like it.” My son the art genius.

 

MICHAEL’S POV


When JR showed us the scrapbook, I look at it, I was going to be happy. When Ben asked where the idea came from she said Justin. I couldn’t do it. I left and took Ma’s car. At first I drove around then decided that it was time I voiced my opinion. I drove all night and arrived at the girls’ house. I am sitting out here waiting. I got here at 2 and nobody’s home yet.

Chapter 13 by starlight

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I am meeting Mel at her office. Brian’s lawyer sent the custody paper and we were going to read and sign it and send it back. Mel had read through it and starts crossing out sections. I waited so

I could find out why.

 

“Is there something they didn’t mention?” I ask her.

 

“No, the child support is huge, $5000.00 a month. With Brian’s income it’s normal. I want it stated that both Brian and Justin have custody. Not because I don’t trust Brian, but because Justin is as much a parent to Gus.” Mel tells me.

 

I was surprised at the amount. If we didn’t want to work, we didn’t have too. I like that she is including Justin.

 

“He put in the paperwork that if something happened that we all agree to give Gus to Justin. I think it should just be in the paperwork that Justin get custody too. Is that okay with you?” Mel asks me.

 

I nod and it feels good we are actually making the decisions together on this. Mel then asks if I want to work when we move. I thought about it.

 

“I do, just so that I have something more than making a home. I can tell Sydney that I only want to work part-time. I’ll try to keep it to when the kids are in school. The only time I will be required to be at the gallery would be if there’s a party at night and we could do date nights for that.” I tell her.

We agree that that would work. Signing everything, she calls to tell them she is faxing it back and will put the originals in the mail. I think she wants Brian to see that she’s serious. We have class tonight and we are going to dinner first. We have been doing really well.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I was watching Gus and JR swimming and Justin was working on the painting to finish it. He was going to come home when he was done. JR walks over and sits next to me.

 

“Do you know where my Dad went?” Why me?

 

“No, but hopefully Ben will know soon. He was going to meet us at the loft but he is coming here in a little while.” If it was Gus, I would tell him.

 

My phone rings and it’s my attorney. I answered and ask him to hold. Someone was at the front door. JR and I go to answer it. Ben is here. I tell Ben I need a minute and could he watch the kids. I walk to my office and talk to Gabe.

“Hey Gabe, everything good? The girls seemed like they were okay with everything.” I hope they just signed.

 

“It’s good, they did amend a few things. Instead of Justin being the person who Gus goes to, they want Justin to just have shared custody too. Other than that it’s everything you asked for. I need to know that you agree and I need you and Justin to sign it.” He tells me.

 

I told him we would be there in the morning. I just sit there, I wanted to put Justin in there but thought they might not agree to that. I need to call Justin.

 

“I am on my way. I just finished do you want me to pick up something?” Justin ever the WASP.

 

“Nope, did you take a picture of it.” I ask.

 

“Yes and I want to send a copy to Lindsay.” Justin always sends Lindsay copies of everything.

 

“I just got off the phone with Gabe. He has the paperwork back. Mel and Lindsay want you to have custody too.” I wait to see how Justin responds to this.

 

“Really! I mean like parental rights, or just that I can do things?” Justin ask.

 

“Congrats, you have a ‘13 year old’ son.” I tell him.

 

Justin hangs up on me. Guess he either excited or wondering how he is a father at 30. I can tell he’s thrilled and I want to talk to Gus before Justin gets home. I give Ben some menus and tell him and JR to order for five people. I ask Gus to come with me to my office.

 

I can tell Gus is nervous, so I tell him about the papers being signed and that Justin is considered his father now. He sits quietly for a minute.

 

“Can I call him Dad or something?” Gus asks me.

 

“Do you want to? I think you should go with Pop or Papa so we don’t get confused, but it’s up to you.” I want this to be Gus’s decision. Justin would be fine with Justin.

 

“I’ll call him Papa. Can I call Mom and Mama?” Gus asks.

 

I tell him I am going to go and he can talk to them. It’s weird, I think this is the best thing the girls have done for all three of us. I think Justin and I need to talk about Legal Domestic Partnership. I left it alone because we’ve combined everything, we just didn’t go that far yet. Justin doesn’t think it’s a big deal. I think it’s time.

 

GUS’ POV

Dad wanted to talk in his office and that made me nervous. We usually just talk where we are. I waited and he told me that Mama and Mom made it so Justin will be my Dad too. I want to call Justin by a name that symbolizes it. Papa has a great ring to it.

 

I dial Mom’s phone and wait.

 

“Hey Mom, can you put me on speaker phone.” I ask her.

 

“One minute,  okay we’re both on.” Mom tells me.

 

“I love you both, thank you for making Justin my Papa. I miss you.” I am kind of crying.

 

“Oh sweetheart, we wanted you to be happy and Justin is there for you. I guess you and Dad liked our surprise.” Mom and Mama are laughing.

 

“I think you just made Dad really happy, I haven’t talk to Justin, I mean Papa yet.” This is so cool.

 

“Trust me he will love it. He loves you.” Mama tells me.

 

I tell them good-bye and go to see what everyone else is doing. I was about to walk into the kitchen, when Justin came in. I decided to try the new name.

 

“Hi Papa.” I run to him and he is holding me.

 

“I love you Sonny Boy.” Justin says.

 

JR’S POV

 

We were in the kitchen and Brian is getting some Champagne and sparkling grape juice out. I wondered why. Ben shakes his head too. We hear the front door open and Gus calls Justin Papa. Ben and I are confused.

 

Brian tells us that Mama and Mommy signed papers making Justin and Brian Gus’ legal parents too. I’m a little jealous. I mean Ben is my parent too, but I just call him Ben. I don’t think anybody ever thought about it either.

 

“Are you my Papa?” I ask him.

 

“I’m whoever you need me to be Sweetheart.” Ben tells me.

 

I decide that I want him to be my Papa. He is there for me like Justin is for Gus.

 

BRIAN’S POV

I know that it is time to legalize things after seeing the two in the hall. I pour everyone a glass and make a toast.

 

“To Papa and his son. Justin, I want to make another proposal. Will you join me in Legal Domestic Partnership?” I look at him.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

When Brian told me that I am now Gus’s parent I almost ran off the road. I was fine being Justin, the best friend. I think I hung up on him. I’m still about 15 minutes out and I can’t believe I’m actually shaking. I pull over and decide I need to call someone.

 

“Mom, I need to tell you something. You’re a grandmother to a 13 year old boy.” I tell her.

 

“Justin, I have always thought of Gus as my grandchild.” Mom tells me.

 

“Now he is, legally.” I am smiling.

 

“What? When? Really?” Mom is laughing.

 

“Mel and Lindsay put it in Brian’s custody paperwork.” I tell her.

 

“Congrats Justin, you’re a father.” Mom sound happy.

 

We hang up and I drive home. Gus greeting me by calling me Papa is probably one of the biggest moments of my life. Then Brian has to go and top it. I couldn’t answer out loud so I nodded my head. He asks if I want to do the ceremony. I thought about it, but I think I just want him, Gus, Mom, Molly and I there when we sign the papers but we can have a party after. I tell him that and Brian said that would work for him to.

 

We ask Ben and JR to not tell anyone. They agree. While we wait for dinner, Ben and Brian go outside and talk. Gus and JR are watching TV and I am just happy.

 

MEL’s POV

 

We were on our way to parenting classes when Gus called and I we were practically drunk on the love our son poured out at us. I knew that it would please Brian and Justin. Gus was a bonus to our already good day. Class was easy we told everyone about our progress and that we have already seen the results when the kids were here.

 

Lindsay and I decide that we wanted to go to and have coffee and just hang out for a while. We were childless and we want to enjoy the time. We have been trying to do things that we haven’t done. It was fun and it reminded us of why we love each other.

It was getting late and we have to work in the morning. We headed home. I was talking to Lindsay about this weekend, suggesting that we should fly to see the kids. Brian offered us open end tickets so we could come if we want. Lindsay said that she wanted to go so we could see the carriage house and talk to Justin and Brian about buying it.

 

I look in the driveway and see what I think is Deb’s car. We drove by and parked up the road. I called Brian.

 

“Hey Smelly Melly what’s up?” Brian is joking around.

 

“Brian, why is Deb at my house?” I ask him.

 

“Deb’s car is there?” He asks.

 

“Yes, is there a reason it’s here?” Lindsay and I look back at the car.

 

“Michael has been missing since last night, so it’s not Deb it’s Michael.” He tells me.

 

“Why is he here?” I ask Brian.

 

Ben takes the phone and tells us about JR and Michael and the dinner. He says that he has no clue what is going on in Michael’s mind. Brian tells Ben that he can get him tickets to fly down there if Ben wants to. Ben asks if it’s okay with us. I tell him yes.

 

Brian gets on and tells me to go to a hotel tonight and he will book the room. This is really getting strange. Brian says that Michael is either there for sympathy or to cause problems. We agree to go to the hotel. Ben is going to come here and greet Michael.

 

We hang up and drive to the hotel that Brian told us to go to. We get to the desk and the clerk is on the phone with Brian. She gets us registered. We take the key and go to the room. I ask Lindsay what she thinks. She tells me that we need to go get some clothes in the morning so we can go to work. Ben sent the flight information to my phone he is going to be here at 5 am.

 

We’ll worry about clothes in the morning.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

I have been here all day. I went to get some food and wonder if I missed them. I rolled down the windows and fell asleep. When I woke up it was 10pm and they still aren’t home. I figured I’d just go back to sleep and wait, they can wake me up. I came so I could tell them about Justin making it harder for me. JR is getting spoiled and no one is listening anymore. Mel and Lindsay owe it to me to talk to him and Brian about this.

I also think that I need to tell them what I think of everything. Everyone is acting like we should let them get away with it. I am going to make sure they know better. I go back to sleep. I feel someone touching my arm and look up to see Ben.

Chapter 14 by starlight

JUSTIN’S POV

 

I really want to offer to go instead of Ben. Michael needs someone to let him get it out. I would go but you know what, I want to be with my son. Can you believe that? Brian also mentions that we have to sign some paperwork and he wants to get everything in order for the Domestic Partnership agreement.

 

Brian arranged for the girls to stay at a hotel and a flight for Ben. In the morning, Deb is going to take JR. I was going to offer to keep JR but Brian vetoed that too. He said that we have a lot to do. He wants to tell my mom about the Domestic Partnership so that she can feel a part of it. I think he just wants her on his side.

 

Gus was all kinds of happy about it. I told Brian I would take Ben to the airport. He and the kids could eat and relax. In the car Ben tells me that he is really pissed at Michael. I know Ben is his husband, but he needs to make sure that he stops trying to tell Michael that he is screwing up.

 

I decided to put in my two cents worth. I tell him that we all know Michael has a hard time when change happens around him, and I have probably made Michael feel like he’s disappointing JR. I told him that being the youngest in the group, everyone always wants to tell me how to do everything. I want to be an artist, go to New York. I love Brian, don’t depend on him he’ll disappoint me. I want to go to PIFA, artist don’t make money. It’s like I wasn’t capable of making any decision.

 

Ben tells me that it’s hard sometimes to not lecture Michael. I asked why lecture, he’s a teacher, teach Michael. Michael loves his daughter. He never had to do more than two weeks. Two weeks is a short amount of time and JR was younger, all she wanted was Daddy to play. Michael was given a little girl this time, after a traumatic event. He is shaken up as well. Ben stays quiet until we park and walk into the airport.

 

We wait together for his flight to be called. He told me that when he gets there he is going to take Michael to a hotel and let Michael get out what he needs to, then they will try to talk to the girls. They also have a long drive back. I hope it works for them. We hug and he gets on the plane.

 

Time for me to go to my son. I love saying that. My SON.

 

BEN’S POV

 

When I found out that Michael drove all the way down to Florida, I was not feeling very Zen anymore. Why can’t he act like an adult? Listening to Justin, I wonder how I would feel if everyone was coming down on me. I need to work on not treating Michael like a student. Michael needs to work on handling his insecurities better.

 

I want to get him to see that running away instead of talking isn’t the answer. What was he planning, to go off on Mel and Lindsay? Michael is a very short term thinker. I am going to let him talk and try to see if I can help him. I just don’t know how at this point.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

We get up and get ready, I told Gabe we would be in first thing to sign everything so he can file the paperwork. When we get there I ask Gabe about Legal Domestic Partnerships. He told me that he can get the paperwork started but he needed our information. I guess Ted gets to know. I hand him Ted’s card and tell Ted what he needs and Ted or Cynthia can get it.

 

I call Ted and tell him what ever Gabe needs to give it to him and not to ask questions. I invite him and Cynthia to come to lunch with us. We go to see Jen at her office. She is all over Gus and Justin. Gus tells her she’s always been Grandma Jen so it’s just legal. Jen smiles and tells him it didn’t matter, she loved him anyway she got him.

 

I tell her we want to take her to lunch. She said she could. I look at Justin. He tells her about the us deciding to go ahead with the Legal Domestic Partnership. I tell her that I didn’t want to be accused of keeping her from it. Jen smiles and tells me that I better invite my mother or we will all be in trouble. I sat there for a minute then I realize she meant Deb. I figure we can clue Deb in later after Ben and Michael get back.

 

Justin and she discuss the party. Gus said that he wanted a cake. I tell them to call Emmett, oh hell, we might as well just tell everyone at this point. We are going to have the paperwork in a few days and then it still has to be filed. Jen tells me that we should plan a party for next weekend and that she and Emmett will handle it. She looks at Gus and asks if he wants to spend that weekend with her and Tucker. Gus tells her that he that would be supercool.

 

We get to lunch and I tell Ted and Cynthia. I look at Ted and say that if he says anything to anyone, I make it so that crystal wasn’t his worst experience. Ted rolls his eyes. Apparently when Gabe called and asked for the information Ted read between the lines. They congratulate us.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

Ben gets in the car and tells me to drive to a hotel. I was going to say no, but I need a shower. After getting in and showering Ben tells me that he wants to know why I drove here.

 

“I was mad. Everyone thinks that I can’t do anything right and then every time I turn around Justin is the perfect dad. He doesn’t even have a kid. You’re pissed, Brian is ignoring me, and everyone is protecting the girls. I don’t even know why I’m here anymore.” I just deflate because what the hell was I doing.

 

“Michael, we need to take a step back. What do you need me to do?” Ben asks me.

 

“I don’t know. Can we talk to the girls and see what is going on? I know I was kidding myself with the full custody thing, but I’m still mad about not being told they were moving here. They tell Brian and then forget I should have been told.” I tell Ben.

 

“You're right, that should have been done before they decided to move. Michael, I left a very confused little girl in Pittsburgh. She doesn’t understand why you left.” God I feel like a complete asshole. Ben is right, why did I drive here and leave her alone again.

 

Ben tells me he is going to sleep and I lay with him. I need to go home. Ma is going to kill me. I also need to tell JR I didn’t mean to leave her behind like that. I know I have issues when it comes to Justin. I wouldn’t have wanted to live through the shit he had to. I wouldn’t have minded having Brian but not at the expense of Ben. Why do I constantly get mad at a guy who has been bashed and had to fight for everything? I know why, because I never fought, I let everyone protect me.

 

I fought for Ben. I ran with Hunter to keep him away from his mother. Which reminds me, I need to call that son of mine. He is supposed to be home this week. We could take him camping. He’ll bitch the whole time. That will be fun.

 

DAPHNE’S POV

 

Justin is waiting for me when I get home. I walk over and hug him. He is too smiley, something is up. We walk into my apartment and Justin is bouncing. I grab us a drink and tell him to spit it out. Justin spews that he is now Gus’s legal father and is going to, in essence, marry Brian. I stood there in shock. I mean I figured the marrying would happen, but Mel and Lindsay deciding that Justin is a parent wasn’t something I thought they would do. I wait for him to take a drink.

 

“That means you’ll be my father-in-law in seven years.” Justin starts choking. Yay me.

 

We both start laughing and he tells me about his plans. I told him that I would help Emmett set up. I asked when they were telling everyone. Justin pulls out his phone and dials Emmett.

 

“Em, I need you to plan a party for next Saturday.” Justin tell Em.

 

“Sure baby what kind.” Em is so going to kill Justin for this.

 

“Well Brian and I decide to make it a two-for-one party. First now that I am Gus’s legal dad we want to celebrate that, and the second is that we are going to be signing Legal Domestic Partnership papers. Think you can swing that party next Saturday? My mom will help, and Daphne will too.” Justin waits for Emmett to answer.

 

“Baby, you better show up at Drew’s house immediately or I am going to have a football team hunt your ass down. I am not kidding you, you can’t just call me and tell me something like that and just go on your merry way. I need details, and well, anything at this point and I better not be the last person you told. Mr. Kinney is going to get his ass kicked too. I bet Ted knows doesn’t he? You know what, get over here and we are going to talk about you not telling me about this.” Em hangs up.

 

We both start to laugh. Justin calls Brian and tells him. Brian tells Justin that he and Gus are off to shop, and good luck with Emmett. Justin groans and tells me I’m coming with him. Like I would miss this.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

You know, when you think it’s a great idea to do something like tell Emmett, it’s not. I have to tell him in detail about the whole thing over and over. I also now get why Brian wanted to take my car. He is shopping. Emmett, after getting over it, wants to know how many people are coming and what are we want to serve. I text Brian about what kind of food. He texted back ‘do a large barbeque’. I tell Em that, he likes the barbeque idea, only steaks and seafood. Em asks how many people, I text Brian again and he said ‘tell Em anywhere from 200 to 250’. I texted back ‘you mean 20 to 25’? The phone rings.

 

“I need to have a party for the company and clients also. This way we get everything out of the way.” Brian tells us. I put him on speaker.

 

“Are you crazy? I can’t have a party that big ready in 10 days.” Poor Emmett.

 

“I’ll double your fee.” Brian just has to win.

 

“Then I have to call in everybody in the family to help.” Is Em threatening Brian?

 

“Call them, I don’t care. I’ll talk to Deb.” Brian is going to win.

 

EMMETT’S POV

 

You know, I want to plan this, but this is going to take a group effort. I can order the food, it’s enough time, and with Jen, Deb, Daphne and Molly to help we’ll get it done. I have Darren and his staff. I called Darren and he said that with barbeque it is just assemble and marinade so it’s really easy. Drew came in and said he had a pastry guy who can do desserts and a cake. The rest is just table, chairs and linens. Jen is going to get with a guy she knows to get that done.

It’s really amazing what we can do as a group. I am still going to get Baby back for this.

End Notes:

to any Mikey fans this isn't going to get better even though it seem like it. Sorry.

Chapter 15 by starlight

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I was worried that Michael was going to be there when we got home. We drove up and he wasn’t there. Mel and I get ready for work and go. On the way, Ben called and told Mel that Michael wanted to talk and could we be home tonight. Mel and I agreed to listen.

 

I was on my lunch break when Justin called to thank us for trusting him with our son. He tells me about the Legal Domestic Partnership and that they were going to have a party next Saturday. I think I screamed in excitement, if everyone around me staring was any indication.

 

I asked if we could come up this weekend, I know Mel and I want to be there for the party. Justin said that Brian would insist. He said that the party was also to celebrate Gus and us parenting together. I can’t wait for work to be finished. I told Justin that I want to tell Mel.

 

He asked if we had seen Michael yet. I told him no, that Ben took him to a hotel and we agreed to talk to him tonight. I told him Mel thought that we should go out to eat and discuss this. Justin said that all of us need to realize that that isn’t going to prevent Michael from queening out. Justin also said that we need to apologize to Michael for not including him when we make decisions for JR. I told him we planned to do that.

 

I left work skipping to the car. Justin and Brian are, in our terms getting married. I wanted a happy ending for them. I go to Mel’s office and when she sees me she smiles. I know now that we are starting to mend. Before, if I came she would ask what was going on, now we are happy to see each other.

 

“Mel, I talked to Justin. He and Brian wanted to thank us for Gus. Justin also told me that Brian and he are going to sign Legal Domestic Partnership papers. I screamed in poor Justin’s ears. Can you believe it?” I tell her.

 

MEL’S POV

 

Lindsay came in and she is all smiles. When she told me about Brian and Justin, all I see is happiness. I know now that all my fears of Brian and Lindsay, were my fears. I get up and we are hugging, overjoyed for them.

 

When we sit down she tells me that Justin thinks it would be great for us to visit both weekends. I wonder if maybe it’s time for us to legalize our relationship. We are domestic partners but we never went for the full deal.

 

“Lindsay do you think it’s time for us to legalize our union?” I don’t care if she says no, but I want it out there for when she feels it’s time.

 

“I want that, but can we wait till we move back? I don’t want to push into Justin’s day.” I noticed that she wants Justin to be the center of attention, not Brian.

 

I nod and we are smiling and giggling. She tells me that Justin said that a restaurant isn’t going to stop Michael from acting out. I guess we all thought maybe it would make him less volatile. I ask her if we should go to our house, but she said the less the neighbors had to hear the better.

 

I call Ben and voice our concerns and he told us that maybe it would be better at the hotel. We agree to meet in a couple of hours. I decide that Brian and I need to talk. I call him.

 

“Hey old man, heard the news that you’re getting hitched.” I can’t let the opportunity to needle him pass.

 

“Yep, I figured at OUR age that if you don’t nail them down, you could lose them. How’s it going smelly melly?” Brian is joking with me.

 

“We’re good. We are going to visit both weekends. We want to see the carriage house and talk about buying it and we want to see if you survive the marriage.” I can play too.

 

“Works for me. Gus is going camping with Ben and Michael this weekend if they work everything out down there. So it will just be us.” Brian tells me.

 

I tell him that will work for us too. I want to have everything ready before the kids find out. We hang up and I notice Lindsay is busy texting. I ask who she is talking to. Emmett is apparently in full gossip glory. She then asked who I called.  She wasn’t paying attention. I told her Brian and she asked if he sounded happy. I told her yes. I waited and she said she’s glad.

 

We really have come a long way, normally she would have wanted to be the one to call Brian.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

I promised Ben that I would be calm, and I will. I know I have been all over the place lately. While we waited, Ben told me what Justin said to him. I can’t believe that here I am pissing and moaning about Justin and he is defending me. Ben said that I should think about that when I start to blame Justin all the time.

 

The girls come in and Mel asks to talk first, and then they are willing to listen to me. Mel also said that if I just came to fight they would leave. I was about to tell them that they caused everything and that I have the right to say how I feel. Ben looked at me and shook his head. I waited because I am going to give them the chance.

 

“Lindsay and I want to apologize to you for hiding that we were moving again. It was wrong and done for the wrong reasons. You are JR’s father and have the right to know what concerns her. I also want to tell you that Lindsay and I have gotten help and we know that everything that happened was our fault. The kids shouldn’t be put in the situation. That is our failure as parents. We also need you to understand that our relationship is ours and we will not discuss it. Just know that we are working to make things better and that what happened will not happen again.” Mel finishes.

 

I sit for a second and I am glad they see that they caused it all. I think that they should have to tell us what is going on in the therapy so we know what to expect.

 

“Thank you for telling me that but I think we need to know why you couldn’t control yourselves. It hurt JR, and Ben and I have had to deal with it. I think you owe me a real explanation, not just that you’re working on it. I have been trying to be patient with you.” I tell them.

 

“Michael, we had problems with communication and that is all we are going to tell you. We are working on it and we’ve been seeing the results. If you and Ben have problems, we don’t need the details. I think it should work both ways. JR had a great weekend and wanted to share, what caused you to drive all the way here instead of sharing it with her?” Lindsay asks.

 

“When I have had problems doing things with her, Justin appears and she is okay with anything he does with her. Justin is taking the kids to do all these things and I should have been allowed to be there too. Then she’s showing us this scrapbook that Justin helped her make. It was just too much. I can’t take her to theme parks, museums and aquariums, it makes everything I want to do seem cheap. Brian isn’t helping either, he is buying Gus all this stuff, and JR has to see it. I guess we need to get together and talk to Brian and tell him he needs to stop.” I got it out. They need to help me with Brian and Justin.

 

MEL’S POV

 

I understand that JR can be hard to entertain, but why is he upset when Brian and Justin do things with the kids. Brian said that Ben and Michael were going to take Gus camping. I don’t see Justin freaking out over it. Michael needs to realize that it’s not about the event to a kid, it’s about the time we give them.

 

“I don’t understand what the problem is? Is it that the kids have fun without you? Is it because Justin is doing it? Michael you need to explain it better. You also need to remember that Justin visits a lot, not to make you look like a bad father, but to make sure the kids know he’s there for them. Brian and his spending habits are none of our business. Gus understands that not everyone can do things the way Brian does. We had to deal with it once and Gus told us that he would rather be home than shopping with his Dad. Gus also knows that he can’t just get everything he wants. JR isn’t left out either. Brian always gets her things too.” I want him to understand that his daughter is treated just like Gus.

 

“Justin can visit. He doesn’t have to live on a budget. I can’t just fly anywhere anytime I want. If you think that the way they spoil the kids is okay, then you two need to be there for the fall out.” Michael is getting pissed.

 

“What is the fall out, Michael?” Ben asks Michael.

 

“JR acting up because she would rather be at Brian’s house. All of you constantly on me, because I don’t plan every minute of the day. Brian making decisions and not coming to me so that we can help each other. I need people to take my feelings into account. Brian decides that Gus is going to visit and I have to find out from a phone call. He owes it to me to tell me. JR would have been crushed if she found out after they went.” Michael says JR, but all I hear is Michael.

 

“JR has never acted up unless she is bored. What happened?” We have been told but I want to hear his version.

 

“The first day Ben and I decided that I would keep JR with me. We went to the shop and not fifteen minutes went by and she is tearing up things. I tried to get her to read a comic, she throws it down and says she bored. I left her with Ma, and ‘Super Justin’ to the rescue.” Michael doesn’t see where he went wrong.

 

“Michael, she had never been interested in comics. You should have asked her if she wanted to draw or watch a cartoon. JR is too little to sit still unless it is something she wants to do. If either of us is busy we let her color or draw and take time to praise it. It gives her something to do and allows us to finish what we are doing.” Lindsay tells him.

 

Michael throws his hands in the air. Lindsay isn’t going to let Michael blame Justin and excuse the fact that he could have asked JR what she wanted instead of throwing a comic at her.

 

I agree with that, and it seems so does Ben.

 

GUS’S POV

 

Dad and I are shopping again. He told me that he wanted to get something for him and Justin. I have been thinking about that too. I want something for Justin, he’s my Papa now. I ask Dad if we could look around. I want something that he can use all the time and think of me.

 

We were walking by this store that sells things you can personalize. I asked Dad what that means. He tells me that you can put stuff on the merchandise. I tell him we are going in there. I got a coffee cup, with “For Papa Only” put on it and they are going to make a keychain for me that says “To Papa from Gus”. I asked Dad what he thought and he said that Justin loves anything, look at his clothes. I actually got that joke.

I thought about it and asked if we could get it for Ben from JR too. He told me if I want to, it’s up to me. I wanted to call the moms and tell them. Dad said they were busy but I could call tonight. I think that is code for Uncle Michael is with them.

Chapter 16 by starlight

BEN’S POV

 

We listen to Michael and I suddenly realize that his feelings were hurt from the beginning. I tell Mel and Lindsay thanks for coming, but I think I can handle it from here. They leave and I tell Michael it’s time to go home. He starts to say something, but I tell him that we will talk in the car.

 

I want him to talk so that by the time we make it home he has it all out. I am going to sit in the car and not say anything. When he is done I will ask again how I can help him. I don’t want to be just another person who makes him feel like I won’t listen.

 

We get in the car and I tell him to let it all out. Not to think of my feelings or anyone else’s. I said that I would listen and not offer anything. He sat there dumbfounded at that. Justin is right, when you constantly tell people what to do and not listen, then why would they think we are there to help.

I am glad that Mel and Lindsay apologized for not telling Michael about the moving. I’ve always thought that was shitty on their part.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

After Gus finishes ordering the things for Justin and Ben, it was my turn. Justin said that he was going to get Gus something. I want something to show our union. Justin paints and gets it everywhere so rings are out and so are bracelets. He also tends to lose things all the time. I figured necklaces would work nothing overdone just something for us. I look for something that is us. I finally see it. I asked the clerk to have it engraved with our names on the back of each but they aren’t large so I tell her just to BJ on it. She just looks at me for a second, and I tell her B&J instead.

 

Gus and I are going to Deb’s because I want to talk to her. Ben calls me and tells me that everyone talked and they were on their way home.I know she is worried about Michael but she is trying not to worry JR.

 

Everyone agreed to keep it quiet about Justin and I until I tell her. When we get there Deb is in the kitchen.

 

“Deb, I talked to Ben. He and Michael are on their way back from the girls. It sounds like it went okay.” I tell her she looks relieved.

 

“I also came to tell you that Justin and I will be having a party next weekend. We will be celebrating two things. Justin and I are going to become Legal Domestic Partners.” I’ll let Gus tell her the other thing.

 

Deb smiles and hugs me. She said she was proud of us. I tell her about Justin, Jen, Molly and Gus coming to the signing. There isn’t really anything exciting about it but if she wanted to be there that she was welcome. She told me of course she is going to be there, Justin needs the witnesses. She then asks what was the second reason.

 

“Mama and Mom made it so that I am Justin’s son legally. I have a Papa.” Gus is really happy.

Deb smiled at Gus and told him that Justin was that from the beginning, now it’s just paperwork. I love her, she has always just wanted the kids happy. JR and Gus run out to the backyard and I fill her in on what I know. Deb is actually pissed that Michael is running around instead of being with JR. Deb, for the first time, said she can’t let him get away with it. He hurt JR, and Deb said she always put Michael first and Michael is too busy being a Prima Donna to act like a real father.

 

I’m worried about Michael, but I won’t put him before Gus. I know that I sometimes put him before Justin, but Justin doesn’t need a lot of hand holding. Michael is like an invalid sometimes.

 

EMMETT’S POV

 

I want to kill Kinney. If this had been just a family party, it wouldn’t be so bad. No, he has to invite clients who could use my services. I called Jen and she told me that she will meet me at Britin. Justin told us do whatever. He is never any help. If there is food, Baby is happy. He was raised around these types of parties and I asked if anything rubbed off. He shrugs and said they just had to dress and attend. Daphne laughs and says that his mother had to dress him.

 

Jen and I were planning the party when Brian and Gus show up. Brian walks to Jen and kisses her cheek. I walk up and put my cheek out. He actually kissed it. I told Brian that Justin is no help. Brian tells me he keeps Justin around so that Jen can help with the parties. She laughs at that. Jen asked for the client list, and if he plans on inviting everyone from Kinnetik. He told her everyone. Cynthia said that we need to have a party at least once a year to show appreciation for all the work everyone does. Brian said it’s because he is an asshole and Cynthia hates hiring new people.

 

I wanted to know about Michael but I decided to wait since we are talking about happy things. I haven’t been there for him lately, but I have a life too. Teddy and I talked, and Teddy said that after listening to Michael complain, it was more about Brian not having time for him. Michael and Lindsay used to go into overdrive if Brian wasn’t solving everything. Lindsay and I have been texting each other and it looks like she finally realized that’s what Mel is for. Teddy said that Mel called and told him that they were talking for the first time, and what seemed insurmountable now seems like a bump in the road.

 

Well party time. Problems later

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

I’m going to admit it, I’m hiding from the party planning. I’m happy about the reasons, but I paint, not plan parties. I want to give Lindsay and Mel the painting of the kids for the carriage house. Brian told me they are planning on buying it. Brian wanted to just give it to them, but I told him Mel needs to feel like she worked for it. He’ll probably just put the money in the kid’s college funds. I also finished Michael’s painting. I am going to put them in my next show. They are going to be titled True Happiness. In Michael’s, I put him looking at JR and the look he gets, that tells you he loves her, and JR looking back. Brian says they are sappy, but good. I told my agent they weren’t for sale. I told her that I would put 2 more into the show to make up for not having all 10 for sale.

I want to get Gus something as my present to him. I was going to paint something but I want it to be something really special. I went to find my mom. After asking her, she said that she knew exactly where to find what I want and she would take care of it. I love my Mom.

 

I was done for the day, so I told my son we need to go swimming.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

We were glad to escape. Michael always feels that you have to tell him everything. I remember when he donated for JR, I think if Mel and I let him, he would have watched me insert it.

 

Mel and I decided that we weren’t going to let his attitude affect our progress. We got our flight information from Brian. We are leaving as soon as I am done for the day Friday. I love Florida weather but when you have lived in cold all your life, the heat is hard. Brian told Mel that Jen had the cottage inspected. The previous owners used it for company and kept it in good shape. Also the gardener kept things from overgrowing.

 

I can’t wait to see it. Justin took some pictures of the whole place and sent them to us. We want to change the color, it’s white and we like warm colors, but other than that I think we can just move in.

 

Jen called and said that when we knew what colors we wanted to bring her the samples and what rooms and it would be her welcome home present. She also said it was thank-you for making her son happy.

 

We have an appointment tomorrow with Child Services and Dr. Bradford. We decided to let them know about everything including this weekend and the next.

 

BEN’S POV

 

It was about an hour before Michael said anything. Then it was all about him. I wanted to tell him to stop acting like the world was conspiring to make him look bad. But, as I promised, I didn’t say a word. Then it was how Brian could have taken the time for him. I wanted to ask why what concerned Gus needed to be discussed with him. Next it was how everyone is treating him like a kid. This was a complete dissertation, with each person and our crimes. I let that go because he is just blowing steam now. He starts to wind down.

 

“Aren’t you going to say anything about it?” Michael asks me.

 

“No, I want you to get it all out. You can’t help how you feel. Do I agree. No, not with all that you said. I’m your husband, not your teacher or your parent, so I am going to listen and what you do is up to you. I will be there for you and I love you. All I am going to ask is that before you do anything, stop and think about what you want to do and decide if someone did it to you would you like it.” That is all I can offer him.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

I told Ben I was going to sleep. I turned and looked out the window. I wanted him to agree or at least say something. I want to know he will side with me. All I got was that he would be there for me. I talked for like three hours and not a word from Ben. This is hard, I am used to hearing something about what I say.

 

Mel and Lindsay talked back, why can’t Ben. It’s like he doesn’t want to tell me anything. I need people to say things. Brian would at least give me an opinion. Ben is probably just tired, I mean he had to come here and now we are going to have to drive home.

 

I know that when I get home that I have to apologize to Ma for taking her car, and to JR for walking out. I think I need to get away. I want to have some breathing room.

 

DEBBIE’S POV

 

Ben called and told me that they are on their way and will be home sometime tomorrow. Carl told me that he was going to take JR to the police station. He wanted to show her off to the others. I started to cook. I know that Michael can do childish things, but he has never done anything like this before. Carl told me be his mother, but also treat him like an adult.

 

I’m mad, and was scared out of my mind. Doesn’t Michael know that we thought he could have been dead or hurt. You don’t get to run like a child when you have child of your own. I was a seventeen year old single mother in a time when you didn’t have kids out of wedlock. I had to find a way to support us. I didn’t have time to run away from my life. I had to be everything for him.

I have always tried to protect him, but you don’t neglect your kid. I can’t let him think that I am okay with that.

Chapter 17 by starlight

GUS’ POV

 

Everyone is busy planning the party and Papa tells me that we need to stay out of the line of sight if we don’t want to be sucked in. He told everyone that he needed to get some painting done, and I was going with him. No one even cared. Papa took us to McDonalds and then to the loft.

 

He told me he needed me to sit for him. Papa brought an easel into the bedroom and told me to just play. I sat there playing but you know when someone watches you, you notice it. After a while I forgot because I was playing. Papa stopped and asked if I want to stay here or go see Daphne. Like that was even a question.

 

l like Cynthia, but Daphne is my woman. We meet her at the movie theater. Papa is really trying to stay away from the party prep. Papa told me it was up to me. I decided on Battleship. It was really funny. After that Papa said we had to go home. Dad texted him to get his twink ass home. I asked him what twink meant he said it’s just Dad’s way of meaning come home. I’ll ask Aunty Em, he always tells me.

 

I finally decided to ask about why Michael acts like he doesn’t like Papa. Papa shrugs and said that it isn’t that Michael dislikes him. Michael just has a hard time with change. He tells me about how Michael dated someone before Ben and that they moved really far away. Michael didn’t try to adjust to the change he just ran home and wanted everything to be the same. Michael even went back to work at the same job.

 

I asked if anything changed. Papa said that Michael wanted to do something new, but he had to talk to everyone first, then he took the chance and opened his comic store. After the store, one of his favorite comic book hero’s died and he came to Papa and wanted to start Rage. Papa thinks that if everyone just lets Michael go at his own pace, Michael will be okay. Well, until something else changes.

 

I ask Papa is it because Michael wanted to be Dad’s boyfriend. Papa smiled and said that Michael wanted what he has with Ben, but Dad was his emotional support since Michael and Dad were 14. It’s hard when the person who gives you that, sees you like a brother. Yes, at one time it was that. Now it’s that no one is there to help because we all have our own families and lives to worry about.

 

We get home and I tell him I am going to go swimming. I was swimming around and thought about what he told me. Maybe JR and I should do something for Michael. Everyone else is fine.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Riding home with Gus was an experience. I never realized how much we must talk around him. Michael is acting like Michael. He isn’t being smart where JR is concerned, but otherwise it’s business as usual. If Brian was there to hold his hand and tell him that it would be okay, then Michael wouldn’t be running away. I know it’s Ben’s job to take care of his husband, but Ben is logical, and married to an illogical man.

 

I walk toward the kitchen and get grabbed and shoved into the closet. I think Brian missed me.

We walk back out and there is Emmett smirking at us.

 

“We were just making sure there was room to hang coats and things.” I can play innocent. Not that anyone believes me.

 

“And is there enough room?” Emmett starts to laugh. I give him the finger and go to my Mommy.

 

My mother is in WASP heaven, a huge party with clients and family coming. I hug her and tell her to protect me from the bad men. She turns and tells me she tried, and apparently I want to marry one. Brian sticks out his tongue at her. Gus starts to laugh. I run to him and tell him that the only reason I want to marry his dad is because I love Gus.

 

I am starting to see us all finally becoming normal again, and with the girls coming it will be like old times.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

The next morning Ben lets me know that they should be back in town in a couple hours. I let him know Hunter showed up at Deb’s and they stayed at Deb’s last night. Ben sounded really tired at this point and I told him to take Michael home, get some sleep then deal with everyone. He agreed to that.

 

I let Justin know. Justin said that he thinks that everyone should leave it alone for a couple days. If everyone starts in on him again it could cause him to start up again. I told Justin good luck telling Deb that.

 

I was going to work. Cynthia has a new Ad exec that she is interviewing and wanted Ted and I to sit in. I got to work and was looking through memos when Deb comes in.

 

“I need to talk to someone who will listen. Carl told me to let my son handle his problems. I’m so mad right now I can’t look at Michael. He left his daughter and didn’t even think about the fact that everyone could have thought he was hurt or dead. I mean how did we find out where he was? The girls had to call. Brian, this is worse than the time he was ashamed of us for going to that party.” Deb sits and waits.

 

“Deb, this isn’t new. What is new is that I can’t be there to keep him from acting out. I need to take care of my son. Michael has to take a backseat to that. Justin and I can usually run after him and help, but even us doing that is wrong, Michael needs to rely on Ben. He’s my best friend but I can’t keep running around and being either his savior or the person to blame for his behavior.” I tell Deb.

 

“I know that, I just needed to get how I feel out to someone who isn’t going to get all emotional.” Deb gets up kisses my cheek and leaves.

 

Hope that helped her.

 

DEBBIE’S POV

 

Carl was going to work and told me to leave Michael to sulk until he is ready to talk. Carl is unhappy with Michael running and not telling anyone where he went. I don’t want to burden Ben or Hunter at this point. I need someone who is going to let me say what I need to say. After talking to Brian I can see he is right, this is Michael.

 

Instead of going to see Michael, I call Emmett to see if they need any help. Emmett told me that he would paint my toenails and do a facial if I came and helped. I guess I am going to help my Sunshine get hitched.

 

Emmett had plans all over the place. I’m a cook but Emmett said that he wants me to help him put a seating chart of the family together. He had the family tables all around in a circle. They have one large table in the middle that is going to be Brian and Justin’s table. Emmett told me that Jen, Carl, Gus, JR, the girls and I are at that table. I start to work the chart and think, why are Carl and I waiting? I dial Carl.

 

“Hey Sweetheart,everything okay?” Carl is always making sure I am okay.

 

“Yes, I’m helping Emmett with the party. I want to get married on July 4th. Nothing big, just friends and family.” I tell him.

 

“You’re serious?” Carl agreed to wait till I wanted to do it.

 

“I’m serious. Our marriage is about u,s not any agendas. No one cares if we don’t get married but us. I think it’s time we stop living in sin.” I tell him. I have lived my life for Michael. I want something that is about me.

 

You show up and so will I. I have to go, but I love you Deb.” Carl hangs up.

 

I look up to see Emmett clapping. He tells me that we are trying to kill him. Then tells me to start writing what I want so he can get it planned. Jen comes in and Emmett is looking at me, I nod.

 

“Deb is going to marry Carl on July 4th.” Emmett is bouncing up and down.

 

Jen walks over to me and grabs me into a hug. She tells me that we are going to plan together. I ask her to be my maid of honor and she tells me that she would have killed me if I hadn’t asked. This is so exciting.

 

MEL’S POV

 

I am waiting for Lindsay to pick me up from work. I am off until Tuesday because all the cases I have are waiting for verdicts. I already put in my notice, I didn’t want to take on something I couldn’t see through. They told me that they appreciated that I gave them a four week notice. Lindsay teaches art at a center and they told her that it was fine when she wanted to quit. We both want to have time to pack and not have to rush. Brian sent the first child support check for the whole month. He also sent a note that said suck it up and use it for the move. Instead of trying to pack and work at the same time I’m sucking it up.

 

I get a text from Emmett. I guess Deb is getting married too.

 

Lindsay pulls up and I ask if she has seen Emmett’s text. She said her phone was in her purse. I show her and she starts laughing. We are going home to everyone getting married.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I was just about to leave when Michael comes in. He sits down in the chair and I guess I am supposed to sit down too. I guess I need to give him a couple minutes.

 

“I want to say sorry for worrying you but I had a lot on my mind. On the way back Ben let me talk but he isn’t really offering any help. I mean I tell him what is going on and he just tells me he is going to make me figure it out. You know...” Michael was still talking.

 

My phone went off and I stopped listening I looked to see if it was Justin or Gus. Nope it’s Emmett. Deb want’s to tie the knot.

 

“Brian are you listening?” Michael asks.

 

“I was until you started trying to rehash the same story. You need to check your phone.” I tell him.

 

He pulls out his phone. He reads the message and shrugs about it. He starts to tell me about his trip, my phone rings it’s Justin calling. So I pick up and listen to an excited Sunshine. He tells me that he wants to pay for plane tickets for the honeymoon. I tell him to talk to Carl about it. Justin asks if I want them to come to town and maybe we could take Carl and Deb to dinner. I told him to call Deb and text me back.

 

Michael is sitting with his arms crossed and mad that I was ignoring him.

 

“Michael, unless you want to add anything other than the fact that you took off, left your daughter and husband without any idea that you were okay, I already heard it. I have things to do.” I grab his arm and usher him out.


Michael tells me that he’ll talk to me when I’m not so rushed. I asked if they are still planning on the camping trip. He said that Ben said the trip is still on. I looked at Michael and then he told me he was going too. He promised JR that they would do it. He finally got one thing right.

Chapter 18 by starlight

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I am so ready to go to Pittsburgh. Justin and Gus are coming to get us from the airport. Gus is going camping Saturday. He is going to be home Sunday afternoon. So we will get to spend time with them. I had Mel call and let Ben and Michael know we are coming. Mel and I took a cab to the airport and were just hanging out. Michael calls on my phone.

 

He wants to know when we were getting in I tell him we would be in at 5pm. He said that he just found out and thought we might want to see JR. I told him that Justin and Gus were picking us up and everyone was going to Deb’s for dinner. He said he’d see us then.

 

We had an appointment with Child Services and our counselor yesterday and everything is progressing. Kelly said that once the classes were finished she was going to sign off. Dr. Bradford felt that we could see her every other week until we leave. Dr. Bradford originally told us that we were headed for trouble, but because we were both willing and wanted it to work that we are doing really well.

 

We got on the flight and just relaxed for the next couple hours.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Brian wanted to clear off his schedule and try to work from home for the next week. With the party and amount of people he invited he wanted to oversee Emmett. More like micromanage. Gus and I were going to pick up the girls. Michael called and wanted to come with us. I stopped by his house and he and JR got in.

 

He was complaining that they girls didn’t say anything about coming when he was down in Florida. I told him that it was a last minute decision. They found time to come. He said that if they had said something about coming up earlier, that they could have stayed home to visit instead of going camping. I asked if they were still leaving early. He said that we need to get Gus over by 6am. Gus piped up and said that he was staying at Deb’s so they only had to go there to get him.

 

When the girls arrived, the kids were all over them. We went to get the luggage and Michael asked why so much stuff. The girls were only staying the weekend. They told him they were going to be here till Monday. Mel told Michael that they wanted to talk to the dad’s on Sunday night if Ben and Michael could stick around after bringing Gus to Brian’s. Michael told her they would make time.

 

We left the luggage in the car and went into Deb’s. Deb was ready to sit and eat. Lindsay told Deb and Carl congrats on finally setting a date. I think we all kind of watch Michael, but he was actually happy for his mom.

 

“Sunshine, where is Brian.” Deb asks.

 

“He told me he would be here as soon as everything was done. He is taking next week off. I don’t know exactly when he is getting here.” I tell her.

 

“Papa, he said he would be here at 6:30.” Gus tells me.

 

I look at my watch. It was just about that time. I figured I would go meet him outside. Gus wanted to come to so we walked outside to wait for him. Lindsay told us she would come out too. She wanted to say hi to him.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

I was sitting here actually happy that my mom relented and is marrying Carl. I never understood why she wanted to wait. She isn’t famous, so no one is going to notice that she didn’t marry Carl. I already called and told them both congratulations. I want Ma to be happy.

 

I was sitting here and when I hear it. Papa, why is Gus calling Justin ‘Papa’? Justin isn’t his father. I was told about the Legal Domestic Partnership but that doesn’t make Justin anything but Brian’s partner. They have been that for years, so it makes sense that they are doing it. Unlike marriage, it doesn’t turn Justin into his parent. I want to say something, but I can quiz Gus Saturday.

 

Brian comes in and we finally eat. I was going to try to catch Brian and warn him that he needs to explain to Gus that he and Justin aren’t married. I didn’t because Ben and Hunter came in. Brian, Justin, Lindsay and Mel told everyone good-bye and left. I asked Gus if he want to stay at our house. He said no, Granny Deb promised pancakes in the morning. JR asked to stay too. Ben told Deb we would be here early to get them.

 

I can wait. Ben and I are doing okay, but I don’t need anything tipping him over the edge with me again.

 

MEL’S POV

 

We got to Britin. Linds and I have always thought it was funny they named the house. Justin said at the time it was just them joking around.

 

Brian and Justin grab our stuff and put it in a spare room. Most of it was going to stay here. We are bringing things we don’t need between the two trips. Linds wanted to walk around, we have been stuffed from one seat to another since the flight. Brian and Justin told us to have fun. No guesses what those two are up to.

 

Brian gave us keys to the carriage house and told us it’s ours to do with what we will. His only stipulation was not to paint it pink. We walk out past the pool and tennis courts, it’s actually further than we thought.

 

Lindsay and I wandered around the yard first then unlocked the door. It’s one story but huge. There is a large living room, you pass through and you go to the right and the bedrooms are there. On the left is a dining room,  the kitchen has a bar then a door to go through to get into the kitchen. The laundry room is behind that. It’s bigger than any house we have ever owned. We go down the other hall and two of the rooms connect to a bathroom that also has a hallway access to it. There is a small room that I can use for an office. We walk into the Master Bedroom, someone has decorated for us. There is a note on the bed.

 

Smelly Melly and Wendy,

 

Do your girl stuff in your own house.

 

From the King of Britin and his princess

 

We both started laughing and then we decided that we would take them up on it.

 

GUS’ POV

 

I really wanted to go camping, but six is too early. Papa and I sleep till at least nine. We all get in the car and JR and I go back to sleep. Ben is taking us out to Bear Run Campgrounds, it is about 40 minutes away. When we get there he tells us that he decided that since we were only here for a day we were going to stay in a cabin.

 

I was so glad Dad told me that sleeping on the ground where anything could get you wasn’t his thing. I don’t think it’s mine either. After getting settled in, Ben rents a boat and we go around the lake. He then said that we could hike around after lunch and be back by dinner. Hunter is complaining the whole hike that he lived in cities, he might be allergic to country. Michael let JR ride on his back when she got tired.

 

JR passed out when we got back and Hunter grabbed his phone and started texting everyone. Ben was cooking burgers. I was surprised because Ben is like Dad, they eat healthy stuff. I was sitting with Michael on the porch.

 

“What do you think of your Dad and Justin doing the Partnership?” Michael asks me.

 

“Dad said that nothing really changed, except on paper. They already combined everything anyway.” I tell him.

 

“I always wondered why they hadn’t done it yet.” Michael tells me.

 

“Dad said they never saw any reason to, they were together and Papa didn’t really care one way or another.” I tell him.

 

“You know it doesn’t make Justin your dad, don’t you?” He tells me.

 

“No, Mama and Mom did that. When Dad asked for the partial custody thing, Mama and Mom listed Papa as my parent too.” I tell him.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

I can’t believe nobody said anything. I mean Ben is my partner and he deserves the same rights. If they want Justin to be a parent, then Ben should be too. I am tired of this, once again no one asked me. I tell Gus that it’s great. I don’t want him to think I’m mad at him.

 

I waited till everyone went to bed and walked outside. Why wasn’t I told about this? I deserve to at least be told. Just another way they treat us differently. If Mel and Lindsay think I am going to let this go they have another think coming.

 

I really want to go back now and wake them up and find out why I wasn’t told about this. I was walking around fuming. Ben calls me and I decide he should know.

 

“Mel and Lindsay gave Justin legal rights to Gus.” I want to yell but I don’t want to wake anyone up.

 

“Yes, they did it when Brian asked for partial custody. Brian put in the paperwork that Gus would go to Justin if something happened to all three of them. Mel and Linds decide to Justin should just be another legal parent. Is there something wrong with that?” Ben asks me.

 

He doesn’t feel slighted by this. I do.

 

“What about you, you're my husband and they never thought to do that.” I can’t believe he is so calm about this.

 

“Brian did it. Have you ever thought to put me in the paperwork?” Ben stands and stares at me.

 

I look at him and just shake my head. I can wait till we are all together. I smile and pretend that I don’t care. Ben holds out his hand and we walk in the house.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

I wake up to someone knocking and go to see who it is. Justin is standing there with food on a tray and I look to see he drove over. He hands it to me.

 

“Have you looked behind the laundry room yet?” Justin asks me.

 

“It was dark when we walked out here so I didn’t yet.” I tell him.

 

“I’m going back to the house, take a look but I need it back. Only for a week okay.” Justin tells me and kisses my cheek.

 

What could he borrow for a week and from behind there. I walk through the laundry room and there is a glassed in sunroom. I walk around it then realize he left me a painting. It’d different than anything he has tried before. Gus and JR are running around and there are little elements in them. I see a note.

 

Mel and Lindsay,

 

This is what your kids have looked like since we left last weekend. Let’s keep our angels smiling.

I need this for my show in August but you own it. I am calling it True Happiness.

 

Love,

 

Sunshine

 

I stare at it and you know he is right they are happy. I hear Mel and call her to come. She walks over and looks and I hand her the note. We sit there and stare at it. I want it over the fireplace so I move it. Justin gave us a painting when we were moving to Canada, it’s great that we get one when we are coming home.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

The little twat took off this morning. He is probably over at Mel and Lindsay being a good host. I go to get coffee and wait. He comes in and is all happy. I asked what he was doing and he says that he delivered the girls breakfast. He figured that gave us a couple hours before they came over. I grab him by his pants and drag him to my office.

Chapter 19 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I think i have about two more chapters and an epiloge then this is done.

MEL’S POV

 

Brian had talked to us, and Lindsay and I agreed with Justin, that we weren’t going to take the house for free. Brian thought since it was part of his property and it’s paid for, he could put it in Gus’s name. I told him that he asked for neighbors he was stuck with us. Justin snorted.

 

Jen and Lindsay were over with Emmett to talk about party plans, Justin grabbed me and said to let the control freak and WASP have fun. He took me to his car, and we decided that we were going to find Ted for lunch. Justin told me that he wanted to ask me what I thought about Blake and Ted.

 

“Ted just worries that he isn’t exciting enough for Blake.” I tell Justin.

 

“Doesn’t Ted realize that Blake is a counselor and is just as boring now.” Justin answers.

 

“You do know that Ted is always comparing his chances with men against Brian.” I tell Justin, and he looks confused at that.

 

“Justin, all of the gang except for Emmett look at a guy and wonder if Brian would fuck the guy. If they think Brian would trick with someone, they were scared to start a relationship with them.” I tell him.

 

“I guess I could see that, but Brian never tricked with anybody they were interested in. Brian would say that if they would date them, they were below Brian’s standards. I think it’s because Brian wouldn’t hurt them that way.” Justin tells me.

 

“Has he ever stolen a trick from you?” I always wondered about this.

 

“When we were tricking, the trick was just someone to use. Most of the time we did everything together, but our taste don’t always match, so guys I like he would trick with but was indifferent about.” Justin tell me.

 

I just had to know. Justin is good looking and if l liked men I would have gone for him. All of us always wondered why Brian couldn’t seem to stay away from someone who doesn’t look like the ones he tricked with.

 

“Justin other than you, Brian always seemed to go for guys that looked like him. Did you guys ever talk about why you were it for him?” I wonder if he will answer that.

 

“He said that I was the first person that didn’t give up on him.” Justin tells me.

 

“What about Ethan?” I mean he did leave Brian and go to him.

 

“I was still there. We still talked and when his nephew accused him of molesting him, I found out the truth. Got Carl to make his nephew tell the truth. We were both acting like children during that time. He had his own things going on and I felt unimportant. I think that’s why people cheat. I was wrong, but at the time I wanted someone make me feel important. It was selfish, I mean when you commit to someone you are there for good and bad, not just stay for the good and run from the bad. I was afraid to say anything, and he doesn’t talk. We could be in other relationships, but if we need each other we would always be there.” Justin tells me.

 

It has always been strange, Justin doesn’t try to tell anybody what they should do. He just talks until it makes sense. I mean listening to him could describe both the times that Lindsay and I cheated. We had to see a counselor to get to this point. Justin just figures it out. Brian would tell you, don’t fuck up if you don’t like what happens.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

My Princess escaped with Smelly Melly. I am stuck with the women who lunch. Lindsay and Jen wanted to have a buffet service type meal. They looked at me. I told them to do what they wanted and left. I miss Gus at least we could have made fun of them together. I get a call to tell me everything is ready for pick up at the stores be went to. I grab my keys, Lindsay and told Jen and Emmett to lock up.

 

I want to show Lindsay the stuff I got. I also want to spend time with Wendy before we grow up completely.

 

“The stuff Gus ordered for Justin and Ben, and my order are all ready to pick up. Want to see?” I ask her.

 

We drive to the stores and I find out that Gus ordered Michael a mug that said “I love my Dad”. Lindsay of course got all sappy about it. We got to the jewelry store and I was going to hide it but this is Linds. The lady pulled them out for inspection. On one of the necklaces was a charm of the sun with a sapphire in the middle. They didn’t have a cowrie shell but I substituted a seashell with an emerald in the middle. It was corny and romantic according to Linds but she said that Justin would like it.

 

We decided to go look for our partners and Linds called Mel. Justin and Mel were going meet Ted for lunch. We decided we were all going to meet at the Deli near Kinnetik. We got there and everyone was waiting including Blake.

 

“What, do you two decide every few years that you can’t live without each other?” I ask Blake and Ted.

 

“No, we just ran into each other yesterday and when Mel called I invited Blake.” Ted thinks he’s fooling all of us.

 

We ordered and sat around talking. Mel told Ted that they are moving back in a month. Ted was thrilled. Ted then asked had they told Michael and where were they going to live.

“We plan on telling Michael and Ben tomorrow. Brian offered us the caretaker's house on Britin. It’s far enough that we won’t have drop in visitors all the time.” Mel told him. We all knew what she really meant.

 

Ted had told Blake about the adventures of Mikey apparently. Ted nudged Blake and then told us that Blake had an opinion about it. We looked at Blake.

 

“Look I was never really a part of your group, so this is based on being an outsider. Michael is like a drug addict, he makes excuses for why he does things, promises to change, but just snorts it behind your back. Brian, you’re his drug. You fix everything so that he doesn’t have to face it. Ben ignores the problem and everyone else is patting him on the back and saying it’s okay. He gets upset and everybody is running to help. This time nobody has the time to be there for him. He feels left out. Even if it something that has nothing to do with him.” Blake looks at us to see what we think.

 

“Lindsay and I were wrong and have apologized for hiding the move from Michael. After he said he was fine, it was another problem. We haven’t told Michael about this move only because we wanted to make sure it was possible before we told the kids. Michael would blurt it to everyone, damn the consequences. Now we know that we are moving, we are going to tell everyone. I just worry that he will get upset that Justin and Brian knew first.” Mel tells us.

 

“I suggest you tell him that Brian and Justin offered the suggestion, but you hadn’t decided till you got here. I mean it’s the closest to the truth.” Ted tells the girls.

 

We started talking about normal stuff after that. I looked at Ted before we left and told him the advice he offered me about Justin, take the advice himself.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

Thank God we are headed home. The kids had an okay time. Gus said that it was fun, but I know the kids have been going to places that had more things to do than hike and ride in boats. Ben likes to commune with nature. It wasn’t bad, just nothing like the kids have been doing.

We dropped Hunter’s at Ma’s house. I talked to her but she isn’t saying a lot to me. She gave me an earful about neglecting my responsibilities and I just left, she was acting like I killed someone.

 

Gus called Brian and told him we were on our way. Then he whispered something about presents to JR. Seriously Ben and I try to do something nice, and Brian and Justin have to top it with presents. I think this will be a good way to show Mel and Lindsay what I have been dealing with. I also want to make sure that they know how much it hurt that when they had paperwork filled out for Justin to be Gus’s Papa that they should have done it for us too.

 

We pull up to Britin, God it sounds like some English estate. The kids run out of the car and into the house. The girls were all over them and Gus runs to Brian and whispers to him. He nodded and asked JR to come with him. What did he buy them, their own island or something? We walk into the kitchen and Justin asks if we want coffee. Everyone gets their drinks and we sit down. Brian and the kids walk in, Brian with a few wrapped boxes. He sets them down and tells the kids after the moms talk.

 

“Michael, Ben we want to talk to you about a decision we made this week. After the mess we made with all the moves we didn’t want to keep repeating it. We decided that we are coming home to Pennsylvania.” Mel tells us.

 

I sit there and realize it’s good news, they are bring my kid home.

 

“You know there is a house just three doors down from us that’s for sale. I know the realtor. We can go look at it tomorrow.” I offer because my honeybun three houses away means that I can just see her all the time.

 

“That is the other thing. Mel and I found a house that will be perfect for us. It’s close to town but far enough that we aren’t in the city. It’s actually the house on the far side of this property.” Lindsay tells us.

 

The kids are excited and everyone else looks happy. I want my daughter closer than that. I was about to bring that up when Brian tells the kids to give out the presents. Great another way that Brian and Justin are better than what Ben and I do.

 

JR is looking at the tags and walks to Ben and hands him two of them, and she hands me one that is heavy. I look at her to see what she wants me to do with her present.

 

“Open it silly.” JR tells me.

 

I open it and it’s a coffee mug with ‘I love my Dad’ on it. I look at what Ben got and it’s a keychain that says ‘To Papa from JR’ and a coffee mug that says ‘For Papa Only’ and Justin got the same as Ben. Ever felt like a complete shit? I know I do. I hug my kid and tell her thanks for loving me.

I ask the girls instead of tell them, if we could do the same for Ben that they did for Justin. They said that all we needed to do was ask. The kids want to see the house. I want to talk to Justin.

I ask if he can stay behind.

 

JUSTIN’S POV

 

Brian looks to see if I think he should stay and I tell him shake my head. It might make it worse. Ben looks at me to and I give him the same response. We wait for everyone to leave.

 

“Why can’t I get it right. I mean you seem to always get it right, and I get it wrong. Spending time with JR is great when I know I’m going to have her, but now it’s like a nightmare. Gus acts like you walk on water. Yesterday, he told us it was fun but I think he was humoring us. It’s like everything is just easy for you.” Michael is really upset.

 

“Were you humoring Ben when you told him you had fun yesterday?” I ask Michael.

 

“Of course, I hate nature walks and camping but it was time together.” Michael isn’t getting yet.

 

“The kids probably didn’t have fun the whole time, but you were together. Gus doesn’t humor people. He gets that from his dad. JR probably loved that you spent time with her. I don’t always get it right. Do you know how many times I wanted to call someone when the kids were little because they were crying and throwing tantrums? Usually every other time I watched them. Michael, you have issues when something changes to fast, recognize it and be honest about it. Stop driving us crazy.” I really need about 10 drinks right now. Hmm, drunk Michael is fun.

 

I get up and tell him to have a drink and calm down. I can slam drinks, but so can Michael.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I want to go back to the house, but Mel stopped me. We were sitting outside together while Lindsay, Ben and the kids looked around.

 

“Leave it alone. You go over there and Michael will wait for you to fix it.” Mel thinks I don’t know this.

 

“Justin and Michael have this strange friendship. Michael nags and tries to tell Justin what to do and Justin just blows him off. Justin doesn’t let Michael slide like we all do. I know that they are okay. It’s hard having to watch Michael struggle like this.” I tell her.

 

You know the house isn’t that big but it’s almost an hour before we start back. We come back to nineties crap music and Justin and Michael well on their way to passed out. This is the twat’s answer to dealing with Mikey. Why the hell not, the girls can have the kids tonight.

Chapter 20 by starlight
Author's Notes:

After i wrote this i think we just need to hear from two kids.

JUSTIN’S POV

 

God, why didn’t I just make us margaritas; Beam makes me feel like absolute shit in the morning. Michael was totally shit faced, but I think he needed it. Brian drinks and it’s like nothing to him. He can take the girls to the airport. I’m going to lay here and die.

 

Brian pulls me out of bed and throws me in the shower. I tried really hard to hold on to the bed.

 

“Well twat, since you invited everyone you and Michael could call to watch us sign on the dotted line, you get to get up so we can go and do this.” Brian is really loud.

 

Wait, what did Michael and I do. I remember betting him that I could drink a whole bottle before he could. I was going to let him win. I think we were chugging, and oh yeah, we both won. What idiot gave us phones when we were drunk? Michael likes to prank call everyone. Everyone knows this, so you don’t let him have a phone when he’s drunk.

 

“Who did we invite?” I don’t remember past the nineties music.

 

“Michael called the Liberty Diner and told them to announce it before we could get the phone out of his hand, then you called Woody’s and said that you wanted everyone to witness you taking down their King. Mel caught you in the bathroom doing that. Michael snagged my phone and locked himself in my office and called his mother and yours and said you and I wanted everyone to come to Babylon to see this, and to tell everyone. I have now decided that you and your idiot brother are not allowed to get drunk together when you’re alone.”

 

Brian says all that, but he doesn’t seem too upset. Shit, it probably sounded fun three sheets to the wind. I figure I should finish my shower and not complain. I was getting out and the towels are all missing. Why does he have to reinforce his point? Walking into the bedroom, there on top of the towels is a box. I pick it up and in it is a necklace with a seashell and a green stone. Turning it over I see B&J on it. He still loves me.

 

BRIAN’S POV

 

I got started drinking with them, Ben and Lindsay went swimming with the kids and Mel drank with us. She stayed sober. Michael and Justin are whispering in the corner. Mel asked me who Michael would be calling. I got to him in time to hear him tell them to tell everyone. I took his phone and checked the last call, he’s called the Liberty Diner. Mel yells Justin called Woody’s. Michael escaped with my phone and apparently finished by calling the moms.

 

I really don’t care that everybody knows it. We aren’t having a ceremony, so nothing exciting is going to happen that we need every person from Liberty Avenue there. Hopefully everyone will just think it’s a joke.

We got to Gabe’s office and it was just us Jen, Deb, Gus and Daphne. Molly is on a trip this weekend. It took about half an hour to sign everything and we were done. He was going to file everything today.

 

Deb and Jen told us they were taking us to lunch. We pull up to Babylon. Jen tells me that the family decided to use the club because there are a lot of us now. They really think they pulled one over on me. I have lived around Michael and Justin for years. You also can’t play music that loud without it making noise. I walk in and Emmett is on the stage.

 

“Congratulation’s to the King of Liberty and the King of Babylon”

 

Nothing to do but join in. We dance and talk. Jen asks me why they call Justin King of Babylon. I tell Jen to ask any guy in here they were all here. Wait till she finds out, poor Sunshine. Gus is dancing all around Daphne. I will have to work on getting Michael back for this.

 

BEN’S POV

 

We got home last night, Michael who has been acting like an idiot for the two weeks is all over me. I will not complain. I miss this, he spent so much time pissed off that we have hardly been able to look at each other. Now I’m barely awake for this party.

 

I spent all this time trying to talk sense into him and Justin just gets him drunk. I think next time I’ll just leave them alone together so that the rest of us can have peace.

 

He told me about talking to Justin and he understands now that he still has problems with change. I asked him why when all of us were telling him the same thing that he didn’t listen. He told me because everyone is all over him. Justin and him developed a way to deal with each other. I asked if it was that they ignore the problem till it becomes everyone else’s problem.

He said no. They just revert back to being kids till they get it out of their systems. I will never understand those two.

 

MICHAEL’S POV

 

Justin and I are both still hung over. He asked if I remember the phone calls. I told him that Ben told me. He knows he is responsible for getting rid of all forms of outside communications devices. I can’t be trusted with a phone when I’m drunk. Justin tells me that at the time he thought he would just let me get drunk, but then forgot that that was the plan.

 

I know I was mad at the world. I mean JR is put through shit from the girls and I had to sit for 3 hours till I reached her. Then instead of enjoying the fact that I had more time with my kid, I act younger than her. Mel told me that JR didn’t seem to notice until I was gone for 2 days. JR knows I love her, and she loves me. I even have a coffee cup to prove it. I’m still hiding from Ma.

I look over Justin’s shoulder and see his mother and tell him, because it looks like he is in trouble. He turns and sees ‘The Mom Look’ and says “Oh shit, what did someone tell her.”

 

Jen walks up and ask us what we were thinking, drunk dialing the world. We both try to look innocent and I try to save us. “Jen everyone knows when Justin and I drink to take all the phones. I mean Brian, Ben, Mel, and Lindsay were there.”

 

Jen looks at both of us and tells us she’ll speak to them and make sure that they do their jobs. We both keep a straight face. She turns to Justin and asks what was he doing in a strip show at 18. I can’t save him from that one so I run to Ben.

 

LINDSAY’S POV

 

It’s funny, we are all here and everyone is getting along. I watch all of us, a little older, and hopefully wiser. We are all just having fun. Brian grabs me and we dance for the first time in years. Gus runs up and dances with us. JR is with Michael and Ben. I look over and Justin looks like he got caught doing something.

 

I point Brian to the two of them and he tells me Jen wanted to know why Justin was called the King of Babylon. I had to stop dancing because I could just imagine the conversation. My mother and I would have had the same one. I ask him if he is going to rescue Justin, and Brian said that he can’t slay that dragon.

 

Deb comes up behind us and grabs Brian’s ear and asked why Justin and Michael had phones. Brian looks at me, and I tell him I can’t slay that dragon either. I tell Gus to go ask Grandma Jen to dance. I watch my son charm the pants off his grandmother. Justin looks at me and mouths thank-you and runs the other direction from his mother.

 

MEL’S POV

 

Ted and I are standing together talking. I notice Michael and Ben with JR between them. Lindsay is dancing with Gus and Brian. It was freeing not to see that and freeze in fear.

 

Blake was talking to some guys on the other side of the room. When Gus went to get Jen to dance, I see Justin taking off to the other side of the room. He stops, sees Blake and runs and jumps on his back. They almost fall over. The guys saw Justin coming so they kept them upright. Blake carries him to Brian and dumps him off.

 

I look at Ted and asked, did he ever think that relationship would last.

 

“At first no, Brian wasn’t into the relationship thing and Justin was this kid, who lived a sheltered life. I mean I always believed all of us would find lasting relationships but those two would just eventually call it quits.” Ted tell me.

“Why did you change your mind.” I asked.

 

“Even when they weren’t together they looked out for each other. I don’t think more than two days ever went by before they would circle each other. When Justin went to New York, I told Brian that I had one piece of advice and I would leave it alone.” Ted is watching them

 

“What was it?” I asked. I wanted him to say it.

 

“Grow up and realize that Justin loved him.” Ted stands there and looks at me.

 

“Follow it Ted. Replace Justin with Blake and you still had good advice. I’m going to dance with my wife.” I walk to Lindsay.

 

TED’S POV

 

It is the second time someone has told me to take my own advice. I walk to the one person who I kept going back to.

 

“Want to dance, it’s not opera but I don’t think the music is important.” I ask Blake.

 

“Thought you’d never ask.” Blake takes my hand and we sway together.

 

I think it’s time for me to stop worrying about being too old or boring and just be happy.

 

DEBBIE’S POV

 

I wanted to jerk Brian’s chain, I mean if I don’t, who will, most people are too scared to do it. Justin wanted to pay for the honeymoon, he told me he sold a lot of paintings and I just needed to choose. Carl was going to turn him down. Justin sniffled and said that he wanted to give his mom and stepdad a present and they should just say thanks. Carl fell for it. We are going to Italy, I want to visit the places Vic and I saw. Brian of course told me that there would be no buses. He said we go Kinney style or just go to Dollywood.

 

Michael told me that he never understood why I didn’t marry Carl in the first place. He might not have been married in the US but he was in Canada. They decided to Legalize their relationship too. I’m proud of Ben, he didn’t walk away from my idiot son. Most would have just thrown in the towel at the shit Michael was doing. Ben said that it wasn’t about their love for each other but the fact that Michael wasn’t able to shift with the sudden change. He then said, next time we just get him drunk and let him drunk dial.

 

Carl came and cheered them then went to work. Jen and I decided it was our turn to drink. The boys could take care of us.

 

EMMETT’S POV

 

I watch as Deb and Jen do shots. Go Girls. I grab two chairs and sit with my feet up. I have been running my fanny off. Drew is away for this week. He wants to be back in time for the party. Gus comes and sits in a chair next to me and tells me he need to ask a question.

 

“Aunty Em, what is a twat.” Gus remembers everything.

 

I think about it for a couple minutes.

 

“Gus, my boy, that is what you call people you love. You should say that to your Dad.”

Brian deserves this for spring next week’s party on me.  

Chapter 21 by starlight
Author's Notes:

This is just short and sweet.

JR’S POV

 

We live in this big house and I have to share a bathroom. I went to Brian he told me that he would have a bathroom built for me, otherwise Gus might never get to take a bath in my teen years. I drew him a picture of what I want. He told me everything looked good but horses like being outdoors.

 

Dad and I have fun now. I was at the shop and Justin and him were doing their new comic. I drew a picture of Dad and Papa Ben as superheroes and put Justin in the picture as Justin. Dad looked at and told me this was his favorite picture yet. He asked why Justin wasn’t a superhero. I told him that Justin was too pretty already. Dad laughed at that and Justin turned red.

 

Granny Deb finally married Grandpa Carl. I heard Emmett that she was finally not living in sin. Not sure what that means, but it sounds like it’s a good thing. They went to Italy and brought back like thousands of pictures. I’m working on a scrapbook for them but told Justin I might need like 50 scrapbooks. Granny Deb took pictures of everything. Brian asked if she ever put the camera down. She said only at night. All the guys groaned.

 

Mommy is painting and drawing all the time and Justin told her to let his agent see some of it. Mommy at first told him that she wasn’t ready and Justin told her he wasn’t ready either but he did it anyway. Justin kept at her and she still said that she wasn’t ready so he just brought his agent over. She is going to be showing in some small galleries now. She said that she’s excited but for the first time she was just going create.

 

Mama is back at her old job, but said that she wants to help families. They really liked their old counselor and she got Dr. Bradford to talk over the phone with clients. Mama said that it helps to have someone who wants to help not side with everyone.

 

Me, I’m starting in a new school but some lady Mama and Mom knew from before has kids going to the same school so we have friends we know.

 

GUS’ POV

 

Let’s see, my new life story. My name is Gus and I have a sister named Jenny Rebecca we are 13 and 9. We have to moms who love each other. We now live within running distance of my Dad and Papa.

 

We came to Pittsburgh this summer because my mothers were having problems. We stayed with our Dad’s. The first weeks were running around and having fun. I was able to see that my job was to be a kid and have fun. I didn’t have to be my sister’s protector. It isn’t my job to try and keep everyone happy.

 

We had two major parties this summer. First was the party to celebrate the family. Dad said that the custody and Legal thing were just to bring the family together. I was really happy with all that, but I really just wanted the cake. Second was Granny Deb’s wedding. It was really colorful. Carl was in purple.

 

Papa and Dad are working a lot, but make it home every night. I have dinner with them 3 or 4 times a week, because moms decide they want to be vegan every once in awhile. Dad said something about them not liking meat. Papa just rolled his eyes. I figure that I’ll just ask Aunty Em about it later.

 

After asking Aunty Em about the word twat, I figured that I would tell everyone. He got me a microphone and said say it loud and proud. I asked for every ones attention and say it loud.

 

“I LOVE ALL YOU TWATS”

 

Emmett was on the floor laughing. Dad and Papa didn’t react at first, then just started laughing. Michael and Ben just turned around, but their shoulders we shaking. The women didn’t seem amused. I figure put the blame where it belonged. I picked up the microphone again.

 

“Aunty Em said you call people you love that.” I am my Dad’s son.

 

Mama and Mom headed for Aunty Em, he was smart, he ran.

 

Michael still acts like an idiot sometimes, but Ben just tells him to get a drink. Dad said that with the way he Queens out he is going to be an alcoholic soon.

 

I asked Mama and Mom what helped them change. They told me that if they had tried to tell the truth like I did, they would have been okay.

 

Blake is around a lot and Papa said that Ted stopped trying to find a reason Blake would leave, and became the reason he stayed. I told Blake and he said that it was what really happened.


Grownups are so complicated. I think it’s better being a kid I get to just have fun.

End Notes:

I told my beta I would leave her alone for a while but then I got this idea and you know. I am playing with it now. Hopefully it will be good.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=289