It's Our Life by starlight
Summary:

Brian and Justin want to raise their family without help.


Categories: QAF US Characters: None
Tags: Anti-Lindsay, Anti-Michael, Post-series
Genres: Angst w/ Happy Ending, Canon, Drama, Humor
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Emmett/Other, Melanie/Lindsay, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 62336 Read: 287960 Published: Aug 01, 2016 Updated: Aug 13, 2016
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Thanks Lorie for being my Beta

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

26. Chapter 26 by starlight

27. Chapter 27 by starlight

28. Chapter 28 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Thanks Lorie for being my Beta.

BRIAN

 

When Justin first moved to New York I used work to occupy my time. Then I just moved part-time to New York. We worried about breaking up, because of the distance. I told Justin, we didn’t stay together through all the crap just to fall down now over distance. Justin was living with Daphne’s friend until we had time to find our own place. We were both busy, and within six months Justin was getting shows with other new artists.  

 

We were able to get a large loft apartment reasonably priced because it needed a lot of work. We remodeled it so that Justin could have a studio and I could have an office. I was in New York every other week, not only to see Justin but because of accounts. My clients like to have access to someone in New York. New York became lucrative for both of us.

 

Justin came home for his first holiday at the end of his second year in New York. It was a disaster. After that, we decided to stay in New York except for the holidays. Michael gave Justin grief about my having to go to New York all the time. Michael said I wasn’t able to spend time with the gang. I heard I wasn’t able to spend time with Michael. Lindsay told Justin he needed to call her for advice, she could help him guide his career. I heard her jealousy of Justin succeeding. Debbie was just upset that Justin was so far away. She was happy Justin’s career was a success and told him just to visit more.

 

I walked into a conversation that Lindsay was trying to have with Justin. Justin told me not to get involved when Linds wanted to bitch about his career or our relationship, so I stayed out of it.

 

“Justin, you need to stop letting people distract you from your career. If I was your manager, I would have told you to let go of Pittsburgh. Being an artist is a hard career to maintain and unless you stop letting others get in your way, you’re never going to make it.” Linds tells Justin.

 

“Linds, I’ve already had five shows in New York and my agent told me that that is more than most artists get in the first two years. Truthfully, I would rather listen to an agent who has guided five famous artists to the top, than to you. You need to worry about the kids and Mel, not me.” Justin tells her.

 

“If I was able to move to New York, I could work as your agent,” Linds tells Justin.

 

“Linds don’t take this the wrong way, but you don't have any experience managing an artist. If I wanted advice I would ask Peter, my agent. Why would you even think about moving to New York?” Justin asks her.

 

“Mel and I moved and ignored the fact that we still have problems, all we do is fight about everything. I want to take Gus and either move back here or maybe try New York. I have experience working in a gallery, if you help me out I could get a job in one of the major galleries.” Linds tells Justin.

 

“Gallery owners want my art, not my opinion on staffing Linds. If you want to do that, I would suggest sending them a resume.” Justin tells her.

 

“It’s just a suggestion, Justin. I know you don’t hire for the galleries, but a recommendation isn’t a big deal. I also wanted to see if you could talk to Brian about visiting Gus more. Brian is spending so much time with you that Gus is getting neglected.” Linds is starting to badger Justin.

 

“Linds, you need to talk to Brian, I won’t guilt him for you. Gus spends every other weekend with Brian and me. If he needs us more than we’ll make more time. I'm going in, I’ve had enough of this conversation.” Justin tells her.

 

“Justin, how long do you think Brian is going to keep putting aside his life to keep running after you?” Linds asks him.

 

“Apparently longer than you thought when you interfered with that article. I don't need pointers on my relationship from someone who can't even work on their own.” Justin told her and walked back into the house.

 

This is one of the major reasons we stay in New York, to get away from everyone telling us how to run our lives. Justin wanted our lives to be about us, not about what everyone thinks it should be. He said that it amazes him they have so many opinions when they can hardly keep their own relationships going.

 

Michael is acting as if he's a slighted housewife.

 

“Brian, how can you stay in business if you're constantly in New York?” He asks me.

 

“I have clients who wanted more than phone conversations to discuss accounts, it is actually better that I have an office there,” I tell him.

 

“You need to tell them if they want a personal touch they need to come to you. You have responsibilities here.” Michael tells me.

 

“What responsibilities Michael? Gus lives in the Great White North and Justin lives in New York. New York is closer to Gus. You know, my responsibility.” I tell him.

 

“What about your friends? You hardly spend time with me... us, anymore. I miss my best friend, but even when you're here you only have time for work. Don't you miss going out with the gang?” Michael asks me.

 

“You need to worry about your life, Michael. I’m managing just fine without the drugs, drinking, and tricks.” I tell him.

 

“What about me, or is Justin going to replace my position as your best friend too?” Michael asks me.

 

I look at this person, who constantly tells us how his relationship with Ben is so fulfilling, yet the minute we aren't around, he complains that he is being neglected. Justin takes my attention from him, so he is being selfish. I wonder if he has a voodoo doll of Justin that he sticks pins into every time I go to New York. Ted told me Michael shows up at Kinnetik and tries to tell him that he should be upset that I leave him with all the responsibility at work. Ted told Michael to go read a comic.

 

Deb told me to stop letting the petulant twosome bother us. I told her that we wouldn't bother with either one but we want to see her, and Gus comes with Linds. Mel has actually had to rein in Linds. Linds actually tried to tell us if Gus visited she should come too.

 

“Why would Gus need you there? Brian and Justin are just fine with him.” Mel told her.

 

“I want to make sure Gus isn’t stuck with a babysitter all the time,” Linds said to her in front of me.

 

“When Gus visits, Justin and I don't use or need babysitters, we take time off of everything to be with him,” I tell her.

 

“This why Justin needs you to stay in Pittsburgh. You're leaving him to take care of Gus. How can Justin have a career if he is taking so much time off?” Linds asks me.

 

“Linds, Justin is already successful, why even bring that up?” Mel asked her.

 

“Brian doesn’t understand what it takes to make it in the art world. If he did he wouldn’t ask Justin to risk his career by being his fuckbuddy.” Linds tells us.

 

“Justin stopped being my ‘fuckbuddy’ around year two of our relationship Linds. We have been and are partners. We don't owe you or anybody else explanations on how we run our lives. I'm here to pick up my son, not argue about Justin’s place in my life.” I tell her.

 

“Brian, you need to listen to me. I know what it is going to take for Justin to make it. It isn't running after your ‘partner’, it’s working on your craft.” Linds tells me.

 

“Well, I guess Justin should listen to you, your career is so successful, isn't it? Wait no, that’s Justin, you never got past finishing college. If you need to give advice Linds, give it to the kids in your art class. Then maybe the ten-year-olds you teach could become the artists you never were.” Mel tells her.

 

I left with Gus. The merry munchers can fight on their own.

 

Justin was ready to move home at the end of year four. His agent told him he was at the point where people would come to him. I transferred my top Ad executive from Pittsburgh to the accounts in New York, and we started transferring everything to Pittsburgh and our home, Britin. Jen and Deb worked with the crew that was preparing the house, so it was ready when we moved in.

 

Justin and I had married in New York and filed for Legal Domestic Partnership in Pittsburgh. Jen, Gus, and Deb were there for it. Ted, Emmett, and Cynthia were on Skype. Linds and Michael were trying to tell us we were making a mistake so we didn’t invite them. I told Justin if he wanted a bigger ceremony we could have one. He said not after the last one.

 

Justin and I decided we wanted to have kids together before we moved back. Justin said he wanted us to be able to have the kids to ourselves first. We donated and had the babies with the same egg donor. The babies were born from the same surrogate, twins with different fathers. We had two girls. That caused a tidal wave from the twosome. Deb tore into both of them. She told them no one asked their opinion and to stop thinking anybody wanted to hear either of them bitch. I told her not to worry about what they thought, just enjoy being a grandmother to Beth and Victoria.

 

Justin and I kept swimming along. We bumped into the wave of advice when we had to see Linds and the wave of Michael’s constant need for attention when we visited Deb. Otherwise, we were happy in our lives. I told Justin not to let Linds and Michael bother us. I have a hard time taking advice from two people who still haven’t gotten their own lives together.

 

JUSTIN

 

We finally moved back after five years of living in New York. The girls were already walking and I don’t think I will ever need a gym again after having to chase them everywhere. The girls seem to think if they need to get somewhere you run to it. I told Brian we would need leashes until they understood walking is just as easy. Brian thinks the girls are perfect, it could be because when he says stop they will. Me, they giggle at and keep running.

 

I wanted to raise them with a yard. Apartments are not a place kids have room to play and get messy. It was the reason I wanted to come home. The girls would have their grandmothers and all the room in the world at the house. My only worry was them being around Michael and Linds as they got older. Michael, because he runs at the mouth and little ears hear everything. Linds, because she suddenly feels the need to mother my children. I don’t mind if she wants to spend time with them, but she is using it as a reason to be at my house constantly and give me the same lecture about my career over and over. She is also pissed at Brian for making us move back.

 

Linds is nice to the girls. She just felt once again I was limiting myself to keep Brian happy. We got the speech.

 

“Children are a lot of responsibility, they take up your time. Justin should be free to have a career, not be tied down. Brian, you should've thought of that before you brought children into Justin’s life.” She lectured us.

 

“Well Linds, unlike you, Justin not only managed a successful career but is a successful father. Instead of lecturing us, go home and take care of your children. If you leave now Gus and JR won't have to wait at the school for you to pick them up, again.” Brian tells her.

 

“I was just offering advice. Beth and Victoria are going to need a woman in their life.” Linds tells me.

 

“Jen and Deb are doing fine helping to turn the girls into women. I think that at the age of one, we still have time to worry about them growing up. Now, go get Gus before the school calls again.” Brian practically shoves her out the door.

 

Linds and Mel moved back last year when Mel got offered a partnership here in Pittsburgh. The money she could make in a month was more than she made in a year at the small firm in Canada. She said she was ready to move back, Linds was driving everyone in the house crazy. Linds had a hard time keeping a job. She was too busy trying to run my career. Since she had nothing to do with my career, I couldn't figure out what that had to do with her working. Mel told me it didn’t, Linds was bored and hadn't tried to make a life in Canada. When the offer came to move back, Mel thought it would be good for them to come home. Linds still had friends here and Mel hoped she could find something to do other than badger me.

 

“Why do you put up with it?” I ask her.

 

“I love her, Justin. If this was about Brian, I wouldn’t put up with it. It’s about seeing you succeed where she failed. It’s hard to watch someone being able to do something you couldn’t.” Mel tells me.

 

“I guess I don't understand accepting failure. Nobody is successful if they don't keep trying. She gave up at the first hurdle. Do I get rave reviews all the time? No, I don't, but I keep going. I don’t have time to be her prize for giving up.” I tell her.

 

“I don’t expect you to. I just want you to understand why she acts the way she does.” Mel tells me.

 

I told Mel I understand, but I don’t have time to deal with it. I never told her about Linds offering to move away from her with Gus. I think that if Mel wants to put up with it, she has to live with Linds, I don’t.

 

Michael, on the other hand, tries to pretend I don’t exist. He isn't openly hostile to our daughters, but he tries to get Brian to go out and leave the girls with me.

 

“Justin can take care of his kids. We can go to Babylon and have a reunion with the guys. Justin you don’t mind do you?” Michael, the man-boy says.

 

“We have plans to take our children to Jen’s for dinner tonight Michael. I have to go pick up Gus in an hour.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“I’m getting JR and taking her to Ma’s for dinner. You should call Jen and tell her to come over, then they can keep the kids while we go out. Justin can take the girls home with him.” Michael acts like it’s the perfect answer to getting what he wants.

 

“I would, but you know, I think I want to spend time with my kids and not have my attention dragged away by talking about things that don’t interest me anymore,” Brian tells him.

 

“Emmett and Ted aren’t going to be at Ma’s tonight.” Michael can be really dense.

 

“I thought you wanted to go out with the gang, Mikey.” Brian reminds Michael.

 

“I’ll call them, but if they can’t come, we can always go out with Ben’s friends. They all work at the college.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“I’m sure it’s fascinating to hang out at the club with the professors who teach the guys at the club, but I think I would rather be here with the girls and Gus,” Brian tells him.

 

“We could have fun, but you would rather hang out with a bunch of kids. Where is the Brian who could stay out all night and still be a success at work?” Michael thinks that still works on Brian.

 

“I left him on the side of the road before I killed myself, Michael. Go have fun, you can tell me about all I missed for the next week and a half.” Brian tells him.

 

Michael leaves to go back home, saying on the way out that Brian needs to get a life. Brian asks me if we should move further away. I told him I can work from anywhere but Kinnetik is still based in Pittsburgh. Brian said he can change that. We both started to laugh.

 

I hope we don’t end up killing Linds and Michael, but I will not have our lives dictated to.

 

LINDS

 

I can’t believe Justin won’t listen to me. Brian is ruining his career. I don’t want Justin to regret giving up a thriving career as an artist to play housewife for Brian. I love Brian, but he doesn’t see what Justin is giving up, I do. I tried to tell Mel, but she told me that I needed to stop projecting my wants on Justin. I don’t do that, I’m just trying to encourage Justin.

 

Well, at least they moved back so I can work on helping Justin keep his career on the right path. I talked with his agent, Peter, to see what he thinks about the family and move. Peter told me Justin can paint his ass in bright bold colors and people would buy it. He also told me that he doesn’t tell his clients how to run their lives. I told Peter that if I hadn’t settled down, I might have made it as an artist, but I settled down and had children. Now I teach instead of reaching my potential, and I want Justin to have no regrets. He told me that it takes more than being able to draw to be an artist.

 

I was sitting in the parking lot, trying to think of a way to help Justin, when I realize the kids are late. I get out of the car and walk to the front of the school. I see them standing at the sidewalk with the principal. It looks like the principal is waiting for me. Crap, I parked in the side lot, because I hate waiting in the carpool line.

 

“Ms. Peterson, this is the third time in two weeks you’ve been late picking up the children. You need to start making arrangements to pick them up on time.” The principal tells me.

 

“I’m sorry, it was my fault. A friend needed my help with his children and time got away from me. I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again.” I hate this asshole.

 

“We can’t keep people here to watch the children unless you want to start paying for after-school care. I can get you the information. The kids are kept here until 5 pm, but you can get them at any time. It might be something for you to look into.” He tells me.

 

I tell him it won’t be an issue and get the kids in the car.

 

MICHAEL

 

Brian needs to spend his free time with me. He’s been back for a few weeks and all he wants to do is work and go home. When Brian came home I told Ben it could be like it was before he left us for Boy Wonder.

 

“Michael, Brian has two businesses to run and small children to raise. He isn’t going to want to go clubbing all night long anymore. We need to concentrate on JR and our jobs.” Ben tells me.

 

“I’m not asking him to go out every night, just once in a while. Justin can watch his own kids.” I tell Ben.

 

“They are both Brian and Justin’s kids Michael, Brian has changed. He is no longer a twenty-nine-year-old club boy. If he wants to keep his businesses successful and raise his children, he can’t do that and party all night.” Ben tells me.

 

“He could at least come to the diner once in a while, but it’s like he can’t leave Justin alone,” I tell Ben.

 

Ben tells me to remember when JR was a little girl, we skipped out on Brian too. I act like I understand because Ben will keep trying to push the point. I just want to be able to have fun with my best friend. Brian isn’t even coming for breakfast at the diner in the mornings. I have to close my shop to catch him at lunch and Justin and the girls are always with him.

 

I talked to Ted and he told me that it was none of my business what Brian is doing. I told Ted that the old Brian would be horrified at having a family life. Ted told me Brian grew up and wanted more than to be the life of a party. I told Ted Brian isn’t going to be happy living like that for long. Ted said I shouldn't hold my breath waiting.

 

Emmett wasn’t any help either, he settled down with Calvin. Calvin had a kid from a marriage he was in before he figured out he was gay. The baby mama wanted to get remarried and didn’t want a kid around. So Calvin and Emmett are raising the kid. Emmett told me that life moves on and I better move with it.

 

Ma is so in love with the girls that she tells me to go home to Ben. I just wish people would listen to me. I know my best friend.








 

Chapter 2 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

I was making Gus and the girls breakfast when someone knocked on the door. It still startles me because we live far enough away that people can't just show up.

 

“Linds, what are you doing here?” I ask her when I open the door.

 

“I had a free morning and thought I could prepare breakfast, so you could work,” she tells me.

 

“Linds, you do realize that I just had a show and my next one isn’t for a couple months. I already have pieces finished and only have to work when I want to.” I try to get through to her.

 

“If I can help out, you should take advantage of the time,” Linds tells me snippily.

 

“I already have breakfast ready and Brian and I have the day planned. We’re taking the kids to the park. Why not go home and have a free day with Mel. JR is still with Michael isn’t she?” I ask her.

 

“I have to go pick up JR in an hour. Michael is going with Ben to some party with the other teachers.” She tells me.

 

“We can take JR if you need us to. Unless you have plans to do something.” I tell her.

 

“Why don’t I take the children out and you can work,” Linds says, she is persistent.

 

“I want to take my children out Linds. If JR wants to go she can too, but we wanted to have a family day with the girls and Gus.” I’m trying to not be an asshole but she needs to go.

 

“We’re all family. I’m sure Brian would rather do something else and I can be there to help you.” Linds tells me.

 

“Actually Linds, I planned the day, so I think that I would want to go with my family,” Brian tells her as he walks into the room.

 

“Brian if you want to come you can, I was just telling Justin that it would free up his time to work on his art. I know you don’t understand how important it is that he is always creating, but I do.” Linds tells Brian.

 

“I think I understand better than you do. I mean, I live with Justin and have for the last ten years. I am usually the one who has to sit still while he sketches. Go home to your wife Linds. If JR would rather come with us, then have Mel call.” Brian tells her.

 

“You don’t have to be an asshole, Brian. I was just offering to help Justin.” Linds tells him.

 

Brian leads her to the door and tells her to learn to use the phone. Her phone is ringing as she walks out the door.

 

LINDS

 

Brian is starting to piss me off. Justin needs me to help him, so he doesn’t have to rush when it comes to his shows. I only came over to help him this morning. Three kids demand a lot and Justin should be allowed time to work. I tried to get them to let all the kids stay with me, but Brian told me he wants to raise his kids.

 

My phone is still going off. Michael keeps calling.

 

“Michael, I’m on my way. I was running an errand, I’ll be there in twenty minutes.” I hate dealing with Michael.

 

“We were supposed to be at the party already Linds. You should have planned better. Now I have to be later because you’re going to be late again.” Michael whines into the phone.

 

“It’s a party Michael, nobody expects you there the minute it starts. I’ll be there soon.” I hang up on the idiot.

 

Michael is on my shit list. He keeps trying to leave Justin to take care of the kids, so Brian can go out with him. I told him that Brian needs to take care of the kids so Justin can work. Michael said Justin can stay home since Brian has to support Justin and the kids. Kids that Justin wanted, not Brian. I told him that he had it backward. Justin is making just as much as Brian, but his career demands more time. Brian has a staff that can take care of clients. We’ve been fighting ever since.

 

I look at my phone when it rings again and I guess Michael has called to complain to Mel. She was asleep this morning when I left.

 

“Linds, where the hell are you?” Mel asks me.

 

“I was just dropping off some clothes for Gus this morning. Then I was helping Justin cook breakfast for the kids and time got away from me. I told Michael I was on my way. I'm sorry he woke you.” I tell Mel.

 

“Why would Gus need anything, he had his stuff packed yesterday? You know what, never mind. Michael is dropping JR off here, apparently, he’s pissed you can’t make it on time.” Mel tells me.

 

“Michael needs to stop acting like a party is a big deal,” I tell her.

 

“It’s a surprise party for one of the professor’s who just got tenure. Michael wanted to be there to yell surprise, and now because you couldn’t get JR on time, he isn’t going to be able to.” Mel tells me.

 

“Poor Michael. Brian offered to take JR with them today. Why don’t all of us go?” I ask her.

 

“Why not let them take JR and you and I have a day to ourselves?” Mel tells me.

 

“I think it would be great to have a family day with them. It would give Justin some time to sketch, while we play with the kids.” I tell her.

 

“Linds, you need to stop trying to help so much, your irritating Brian,” Mel mentions to me.

 

“I don’t care what Brian thinks, Justin is important. If Brian had been thinking, Justin would still be in New York, alone, advancing his career.” I tell her.

 

Mel tells me to get home and she will talk to Brian.

 

MICHAEL

 

I had JR ready to go, and no one came to pick her up. Linds finally called when she was already late and told me she would be even later. I called Mel.

 

“Is someone who can be on time going to pick up JR?” I ask Mel.

 

“Linds was gone when I woke up Michael. I thought she was going to pick up JR.” Mel tells me.

 

“Well, no one is here. I had to stay behind until someone showed up. I was supposed to be at a surprise party for a teacher at Ben’s college. Now instead of yelling surprise, I’m stuck waiting for someone to get JR.” I tell her.

 

“I can come and get her. We only live two blocks away.” Mel tells me.

 

“I’ll just bring her. Next time just tell me I can’t depend on you guys to do what you say.” I tell her.

 

I get JR and we walk over to the house. Mel is on the steps. She asks JR if she wants to go with Justin and Brian to the park today. JR tells her yes because all her friends are going to the park today. I tell my honeybun good-bye and walk home.

 

I was pissed, Brian could have come with Ben and I to the party, but instead he is going to hang out at a park with kids all day. I tried to get him to come, saying it would be a day we could hang out. Brian told me he was busy. I thought he had to work. Ben calls me and asks if I’m coming to the party. I told him I was finally on my way.

 

BRIAN

 

We were on our way to the park when Emmett called to see what we were doing. I told him the park was having a kid’s at play festival and we were taking the kids. Emmett and Calvin told us they would meet us there with Mark.

 

Ted was already there with Blake. Blake was running a 'Say No to Drugs' booth. Blake and Ted are in the process of adopting a kid. Ted and Blake ran into an old patient who was only seventeen and pregnant. She told them she couldn’t keep the baby and was putting it up for adoption. They found out that she would let them adopt the baby. The baby is due anytime now.

 

Mel called to let us know that JR wanted to come too. I’m glad Justin talked me into the big SUV. He told me that with all of us having kids, we needed a way to transport them. I asked why we needed one bigger than what five asses could sit in. Justin ignored me and bought the Mercedes with seven seats.

 

As JR climbed aboard Mel told me that she would keep Linds home. I almost kissed her. Linds and I have been bitching back and forth at each other. My Wendy wants her Peter to fall off a cliff for daring to take Justin away from a career. I told Wendy to jump off the cliff, I’ll keep Tinkerbell.

 

We got to the park and kids are everywhere. Emmett is waving at us and Gus runs to Mark. JR found her gaggle of friends and one of the mothers volunteered to take the girls around. The woman knows Justin, so I felt safe letting JR run around with them. We follow Gus and Mark, they headed for the boat races in the pond. Justin pulled out some stale bread for the girls to feed the ducks. Mark and Gus decided they wanted to race a boat, so Emmett took them to get two at the vendor booth. Beth ran to me when the duck started to chase after the bread.

 

“Beth you have to give this to the ducks,” I tell her.

 

“Ducky eat it.” She tells me.

 

“That’s why Daddy gave it to you, to feed the ducks,” I tell her.

 

She throws it on the ground and watches as the duck eats it. Beth is Justin’s child, she is a strawberry blonde, with green eyes. We are going to be busy beating boys off with a stick if she looks anything like Molly. Victoria is mine, she got blue eyes and dirty blonde hair. She looks enough like me that you can tell she is mine. Victoria and Beth are starting to talk. I was worried at first because neither of them was talking much other than saying Da and Daddy. Jen told me that if Justin and I would make them ask for things, they would talk more. We realized that the girls were pointing and we were getting things without them ever having to talk. We stopped doing that and the girls started talking. I told Jen we moved back because we needed the moms to tell us not to panic all the time.

 

We started walking around when the kids got tired of the ducks. The girls wanted to see Blake and Ted. So we headed that way. We got there to see my best friend standing at the booth.

 

“Hey Mikey, thought you had a party to go to today?” I ask him.

 

“We went. I got there late because Linds couldn’t pick up JR on time and then I wanted to come here, so we left after cake, that way we could spend some time with JR. I thought you had to work today?” Michael asks me.

 

“No, I said I was busy and I am,” I tell him.

 

“Where is JR?” Michael is looking around us.

 

“She is running around with her friend and the girl's mother,” I tell him.

 

“You don’t just let my kid run off with someone. I can’t believe you guys are that irresponsible.” Michael snaps at us.

 

“Michael, she is with Joanne and her mother Karen. I know them from all the parent-teacher conferences we have attended for Gus. We didn’t just leave her with someone we don’t know.” Justin tells him.

 

“I’ve never met this person. I would have preferred that you didn’t let her wander off.” Michael starts to get louder.

 

Ben walks up with JR and Joanne. He asks why Michael is upset. I tell him we abandoned JR to the clutches of a possible mass murder. Ben rolls his eyes at me and tells Michael that they were going to take Joanne with them for the day. I told Ben to make sure that Michael calls and tells Mel about the change of plans.

 

All the kid tell us they’re hungry, so we decide to go to the diner for lunch. Michael tells Ben they should go too. Oh goody, another lunch with Michael being a dick to everyone, I just can’t wait.

 

 

Chapter 3 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

We all head to our cars to go to the diner. Michael tells me that he, JR, Joanne, and Ben have to ride with us. Michael took a cab here instead of bringing his own car. I tell him with Justin and the kids in my car, we would only have room for two more people and Ted has room for them. Michael tells Ben to let the girls ride with Ted. Justin rolled his eyes and got the kids in the car. Michael told Justin he should sit in the back. Michael wanted to ride in the front so he could talk to me. I took Michael and Ben to Ted and told JR and Joanne to come with us.

 

Michael promptly huffed and puffed, he thought we would be able to spend time together on the ten-minute ride. We got to the diner and the girls ran to Deb. Deb told me that we should sit in the big booth and the two surrounding it.

 

I have to say watching a grown man try to tell my ten-year-old son to sit in the other booth so he could sit with me was mind-blowing. I think watching Deb grab him by his ear was the topper on Mikey’s personal best of dumb hits.

 

“Michael, sit with your family. I kept that booth so Justin and Brian could have room for the girls and Gus.” Deb tells him.

 

“Ma, there is enough room for me to sit there too. I know, how about Calvin, Blake, and Justin sit with the kids and the gang can sit together.” Michael tells all of us.

 

“I need to sit with Beth and Victoria, Michael. They need help eating. You can sit with whoever has room for you.” I tell him.

 

“The others can take care of the kids. We hardly have time to talk anymore. Is it so hard to sit with me?” Michael starts to whine.

 

Deb tells Michael to sit his ass in the seat. We finally get seated and start to order.

 

“Da, want bean,” Victoria tells me.

 

“Yucky, want salad.” Beth tells me.

 

“Deb can you get Victoria green beans instead of fries and Beth a small chef salad with ranch, they’ll both have half a turkey on whole wheat and two orange juices. Justin and Gus will have their usuals and turkey on whole wheat for me.” I wanted to get the order in so we could go.

 

“What kid eats green beans? I mean, they could have fries and a burger.” Michael comments.

 

“The girls eat with Brian most of the time so they picked up his habit of eating healthy. Gus is the only one who likes to eat fatty foods like I do.” Justin tells Michael.

 

“Brian, what are you doing tonight?” Michael asks and ignores Justin.

 

“I think it’s great the girls are eating a healthy diet. I think Ted and I will make sure to start doing that now. So when the baby is born, we can keep the baby on a healthy diet.” Blake tells Justin.

 

“Brian, I asked what are you doing tonight?” Michael repeats again.

 

“Emmett and I have a hard time feeding Mark healthy foods because he got used to everything being fried when he lived with my ex,” Calvin adds.

 

“You could start by baking your foods with a little olive oil. Beth, Victoria, and Gus love when I make baked asparagus. When you put it in the oven it crisps them.” Justin tells them.

 

“BRIAN, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TONIGHT,” Michael yells and startles the girls.

 

Justin and I have to grab the girls because he scared them with the yelling. Beth put her hands over her ears and Victoria buried her face in Justin’s neck. We soothe them and they calm down enough to sit back down. I was getting up to kill the fucker for scaring the girls when I feel Deb put her hand on my shoulder.

 

“What the fu... devil are you yelling like that for Michael?” Deb has been working on not cursing around the girls.

 

“I asked a question and everyone started talking about eating habits. They could have shut up long enough for me to get an answer.” Michael whines.

 

“Michael, do us all a favor and don’t worry about what I have planned for my evening,” I tell him.

 

“Michael we have plans to go out with JR and Joanne tonight. Why are you asking Brian about his plans?” Ben asks him.

 

“Brian could still come out with us. Brian and I could hang out, JR and Joanne are going to want to play by themselves anyway.” Michael tells Ben.

 

“It really doesn’t matter Michael, I have plans to spend time with my kids. Gus is going back to Linds and Mel tomorrow.” I tell him.

 

Michael looks like he wants to say more, but Ben tells him to stop. We all eat and I tell everyone we have to go. Michael tells us he’ll walk us to the car so we can talk. I tell him the car is parked out front and we really have to go. After we get in the car and start to drive off, I see Michael trying to wave us down. I just drove off instead of putting it in reverse and driving over Michael.

 

MICHAEL

 

Everyone acts like I ask too much of my best friend. Brian hasn’t spent any time with me. I told Ben it’s not fair that Justin gets all Brian’s time and I have to settle for seeing him when he is out and about.

 

“Michael, I’m not going to keep repeating that you need to leave Brian to his own life. You need to wait for him to call you. You’re pestering everyone and they don’t appreciate you doing it.” Ben tells me.

 

“All I did was ask what he was doing. Everyone was going on and on about fucking vegetables. I only yelled because it was rude that they didn’t let Brian answer me.” I tell Ben.

 

“No, it was rude to shout so loud you scared two babies,” Ben tells me.

 

“I didn’t scare them, they didn’t even cry. Justin made it look like they were scared because he grabbed one.” I tell Ben.

 

“So Brian grabbed the other baby to make you look bad too?” Ben asks me.

 

“No, he was just doing what Justin did,” I tell Ben.

 

Ben tells me children are frightened of loud noises and I was unbelievably loud. Ma is loud, I just talked louder than the vegetable patrol, so I could be heard. I thought of a way to for Brian to go out with me, but when I tried to wave him down he kept driving.

 

LINDS

 

I tried to get Mel to go to the diner when Michael called to say Brian wanted him and Ben to go with them. Mel told me we are going to lunch and then to a movie. With the kids gone we could do things we wanted. I wanted to go to the diner.

 

We were having lunch at a new vegan restaurant, Michael calls and ask where we are.

 

“Linds and I are out to lunch. Is everything okay?” Mel asks him.

 

“I thought you would be home. Ben and I are going out with friends tonight and thought you two could take JR and Gus.” Michael tells Mel.

 

“Gus is staying with Brian tonight, or did Gus stay with you?” Mel asks him.

 

“Brian took Gus with him. He wanted to go out with Ben and I but didn’t want to leave Gus with Justin. I thought you guys could take the kids, so Brian would be free to come out with me.” Michael tells Mel.

 

“Unless Brian calls and tells me differently, Gus is staying with him tonight. We’ll be home around five if you want to drop off JR.” Mel tells him.

 

“Couldn’t you come home earlier? I have to be able to have definite plans before I call Brian.” Michael snipes at Mel.

 

“I can come home now Michael if you taking JR on your weekend is too much effort.  Brian offered to let JR spend the night at their house, but you and Ben wanted to take JR and Joanne. What are you planning to do with Joanne, Michael?” Mel asks.

 

“Can’t you call her mother or something? Ben wasn’t thinking when he invited Joanne to stay.” I tell Mel.

 

“No. If you want to send her friend home you get to be the bad guy. Linds and I made plans and we will be home at five. If you aren’t keeping JR you need to take Joanne home and tell your daughter you couldn’t keep your word.” Mel tells him.

 

“Fuck it. I swear you act like I ask all the time. It’s just one night. I guess I need to tell Brian you guys can’t help out with your kids.” Michael tells Mel.

 

“Michael, you wanted visitation rights. Your custody agreement states every other weekend. Maybe you need to get a calendar and start keeping track of the weekends. I mean, today was your day, and so far you have sent JR home so you could attend a party, Brian takes her and you show up and take her but want us to get her back again. Ben shouldn’t have volunteered to have Joanne at your house tonight if you weren’t going to follow through. If this is how it’s going to work, maybe it’s time to revisit the agreement.” Mel tells him.

 

“Never mind. I don’t need you to act like I was pawning her off. I wanted to have a gang night, since with Gus going home, Brian would be free.” Michael hangs up.

 

This is what I have been talking about. Brian was going to leave Justin to take care of the kids and run off to party. Why doesn’t anyone listen to me? Justin needs to tell Brian to take care of his kids. If I don’t start helping Justin, Brian is going to cause him to lose his footing in the art world.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian and I made it a rule that we don’t answer our cell phones for Michael and Linds when we’re home. Mel knows to call if it’s an emergency, and well, to Michael an emergency is Brian not being at his beck and call. So when Mel called me, I answered.

 

“Justin, did Brian want me to get Gus this evening?” Mel asks me.

 

“No. We were going to have a movie night with the kids. Brian wants to try out the new theater room. That was why we invited JR to come tonight.” I told her.

 

Mel tells me about the phone call from Michael. I told her Brian never said he was going to do anything with Michael. I asked if Michael was taking JR home. Mel said that she pissed Michael off and he’ll probably keep her to make a point that he can stick to the custody agreement.

 

I told Brian about Michael’s plans.

 

“Didn’t they have Joanne tonight too?” He asks me.

 

“Michael wanted the girls to either let Joanne stay with them or tell her mother there was a change of plans. Mel told Michael she was not going to be the bad guy.” I tell Brian.

 

You know, it’s like when you try to explain anything to Michael, the two brain cells that process his thinking get overcome by brain cell three yelling, "but Brian is my best friend.”

 

Chapter 4 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

Ben was pissed at me for trying to pawn off JR and Joanne. He wanted to take the girls out to the mall. I stayed quiet after that. I was mad. Ben couldn’t see that I needed to spend time with Brian. Ben has us going out with his friends all the time. I mention comics and they all ask why I still read them. Ben told them I sold them at my store. They just started talking about some article they read in the paper. I don’t like being ignored.

 

We took Joanne home this morning and we had JR till noon. I decided if Mel wanted to make an issue about my visitation, I would make sure to mention every time they were late bringing her or picking her up. JR started asking to go home.

 

“JR, as soon as your mothers come, you can go home,” I told her.

 

“Dad, I’m bored now that you sent Joanne home. I want to add the stickers Ben got for me to my book. It’s at the house.” She tells me.

 

“I don’t want to be accused of dumping you off on your mothers,” I tell her.

 

“JR, go get your things, I’ll walk you over to your moms,” Ben tells her.

 

I wanted to protest. Mel started this when she accused me of not following our agreement. Ben told me to let it go, we were supposed to have JR all weekend. Mel was allowing us to send her home early yesterday. Ben had wanted to take JR with us to the party but I told him I wanted to be able to enjoy the party.

 

JR and Ben leave and I decide to call and see when Gus is going home. Brian could hang out with me after dropping Gus off.

 

“Hey, I need to talk to Brian,” I tell Justin when he picks up the phone.

 

“Brian took Gus out to get new sneakers. You can try his cell.” Justin tells me.

 

I hang up and call Brian’s cell. It keeps going to voicemail. I called five more times, in case he didn’t hear it ring. Then I called Mel.

 

“What time is Brian bringing Gus home?” I ask her.

 

“Hello to you too Michael. And to answer your question, I don’t know. Brian and Justin will have him home by bedtime but they don’t set a specific time. When is... never mind, JR just walked in. Bye.” Mel hung up on me.

 

I call Justin again and ask him when Brian is bringing Gus home.

 

“I don’t know for sure Michael. They planned on spending the day together, father and son time. Normally we take him home around seven on Sundays.” Justin tells me.

 

“Brian should take him home at noon. Tell him to call when he gets back and I’ll meet him at the girls. We can go to Woody’s for a while. You better tell him. I know you like to take up all of his time, but you need to consider he might want to spend time with other people.” I tell Justin.

 

“I’ll let him know your opinion on how he spends his time, but Michael you need to remember, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one but everyone also thinks yours stinks. Later.” Justin, the fucker hangs up.

 

Justin thinks he’s so smart but that didn’t even make sense. Well, I’ll just save it for a night when we are all together and use it on him.

 

BRIAN

 

I got back with Gus to find out Michael wants me to report in to him. I texted my middle finger to Mikey and told him that is the only schedule I am willing to give him.

 

“Brian stop kidding around and call me.” Mikey texted back.

 

“That was me being serious.” I text to him.

 

My phone starts to ring again, and just like the last six calls I send him to voicemail. I dropped the phone in my office and went to see what everyone else is doing. They wanted to watch another movie. Gus wanted to watch Ice Age. Justin told me he would watch with them. I got my laptop and told Justin I could work while they watched. I want to be around the kids. I got to my office and looked at my phone, it was ringing again. Twelve so far.

 

It was time to take Gus home. Justin and the girls were going to stay home. I called Mel to let her know this was going to be a drop and run.

 

“Meet me at the diner,” Mel tells me, whispering.

 

“I can just bring him to the house,” I tell her.

 

“Not if you don’t want to listen to a whining Novotny. He came over an hour ago, saying he was supposed to meet you.” She tells me.

 

“Just be outside in five minutes. I can drop Gus off and be gone before Michael makes it out the door.” I tell her.

 

I’m not going to play secret agent because of Mikey. I get to the house and Mel is waiting. Gus got out and I waved and left. I saw Mikey run out the door. My phone, of course, blew up. I silenced my phone and drove home.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian and I are going to Babylon tonight. My mom is taking the girls overnight. She told us she could take the day off tomorrow and we could pick up the girls when we get up. Brian and I tried to tell her we could get them at eleven, but she said to let the girls sleep. The only reason we were going was that Ted and Blake’s son was born late last night. We offered to come last night but Ted said to come in the morning. We decided to stay at the loft tonight. We came into town and looked in on Austin. I told Brian it was like seeing Gus all over again. I dropped Brian off at work, the girls with Deb, and went to see Sydney Bloom.

 

Sydney is ready to sell his gallery. He wants to retire, so he can spend time with his wife. I told him Brian would buy it but would want to put a manager in place. Brian said he would buy it as an investment. I told him I didn’t want to be trapped in a gallery all day. Sydney had four people we could interview for the position. I told him to do it quietly because Linds would probably wait outside and get rid of the applicants if she found out.

 

We interviewed all the people and Sydney and I talked over what he thought. He told me that Reed was probably the best person for the job. I actually know him from a Chicago gallery. I told him that we should also hire Elle, she could take an assistant manager position. I called them and informed them, the jobs were theirs if they wanted them. Sydney is staying to train them for the next two weeks.

 

I went to the diner to meet with Deb.

 

“Did you get the positions filled at the gallery?” Deb asked me.

 

“Yes, thank God. I mentioned to Brian that Sydney wanted to sell and he decided to buy it. I somehow ended up having to help with the hiring. I didn’t want to have to keep looking but Sydney has been fielding applicants since he and Brian discussed the sale.” I tell her.

 

I lean down and kiss my babies. Deb gave them apples and bananas to eat. She tried to give them ice cream, but the girls didn’t seem interested in it. I swear I’m never going to get sweets if these two don’t start liking something. We sit and wait for Brian to meet us for lunch.

 

“Good afternoon, young ladies.” Brian greets the girls.

 

“Da.” They both say and smile at him.

 

Brian kisses me and sits down. We order so that Brian could eat and run today. With Ted off, Brian is overseeing the accountant Ted trained to take over until he comes back to work. Ted was only going to take a couple of days, but Brian told him to take two weeks like Brian did when the girls were born. The girl who is covering for Ted is good, but Brian is a control freak.

 

“Did you and Sydney hire the help to cover the gallery?” Brian asks me.

 

“Why would Justin need to hire help at Sydney’s gallery?” Linds asks Brian.

 

I didn’t see her come in. I was hoping we wouldn’t have to tell her at all. This is going to be a conversation on either why didn’t we ask her to run the gallery or Brian trying to hurt my career.

 

“I bought it when Sydney decided to put it on the market. I didn’t want to run it, so Sydney was going to hire people to manage it.” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian you need to stop trying to derail Justin’s career. He’s an artist, he can’t devote time to a gallery. I guess I can run it since I worked there before.” Linds tells Brian.

 

“I already have people who are going to run the gallery. Sydney hired them this morning.” Brian tells her.

 

“I’ll go tell Sydney that he can tell them he changed his mind and I’ll do it,” Linds tells Brian.

 

“Linds, I wanted to hire people with experience, it’s an investment for me. If you had more experience in management, I would have considered it.” Brian tells her.

 

“I’m really tired of you constantly putting me down Brian. I have a degree in art history, and was responsible for a lot of the sales in the gallery when I worked there.” Linds tells Brian.

 

“Linds, you're also the one who slept with one of the artists. I can’t risk that happening again.” Brian tells her.

 

Linds turns red and walks out the door. I get where Brian is coming from, but he could have told her that in private. He told me she needs to understand that it’s business, and she could risk the gallery if there was a repeat of Sam.

 

EMMETT

 

Justin called and told me they were going to Babylon tonight. I asked Deb if she could watch Mark till ten so we could meet the guys. Deb told me she would get Carl to drop Mark off in the morning at school and we could stay out tonight. I kissed Deb. We don’t go out much anymore, but I really wanted to dance. We would probably still leave by eleven, that way we could have a night to ourselves.

 

We dropped off Mark at eight so Deb could just put him to bed if she wanted to. Justin and Brian were going to meet us at Woody’s and we were going to Babylon at nine. My God, we are getting old. In the past we would have waited till ten or later to go, now we are all getting there early on a weeknight.

 

We were leaving Woody’s to go to Babylon when we heard the dreaded Whine.

 

Chapter 5 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

LINDSAY

 

I was pissed when I walked out of the diner. Brian has no right bring that up. I can’t even vent to Mel about this. She would tell me Brian was right. Brian is just pissed because I told him the truth about Justin. I’ll go talk to Sydney. He’ll make Brian see I should be in charge of the gallery.

 

“Sydney. I came by to say hi and see how things are going in the art business.” I tell him.

 

“They’re going well. I’m actually retiring soon.” Sydney tells me.

 

“I just heard. I can’t believe you would sell it to Brian, he knows next to nothing about art. I mean, when I was here, I was able to sell to practically everyone who came through the door.” I wanted to remind Sydney.

 

“I remember your first sale. The old guy never bought anything until you talked to him.” Sydney tells me.

 

“I was surprised when you didn’t call and tell me the position was open,” I tell him.

 

“I put the ad online. Brian suggested it. He wanted to hire from a larger pool of applicants.” Sydney tells me.

 

“You could have called me. I would be more than willing to take over. I already know how the business is run.” I hope he tells me he would have hired me.

 

“Brian wanted someone who knew art on a much broader scale. He also told me that even with Kinnetik doing the accounting, the person needed to have knowledge of the financial side of the business. Truthfully, he has no plans of being involved in the gallery. It’s an investment for him.” Sydney tells me.

 

“I could have learned that from you Sydney. In fact, I’m willing to submit my resume to be considered for the position.” I tell him. I’ll have to write a resume.

 

“I’m sorry Linds, but we already offered the job to two others and they called back and accepted the positions. If something becomes open you could contact Brian.” Sydney offers.

 

I told him thanks and walked out. I was sure Sydney would have jumped at a chance to hire me. Well, Brian is making a mistake hiring someone else. When he finally has to call me, I am going to tell him I'll only do it if Justin moves his studio to the gallery. That way I can approve of Justin’s work before he shows it.

 

MICHAEL

 

I told Mel that I didn’t appreciate that she didn’t tell Brian I was waiting in the house last night. She told me it wasn’t her job to inform Brian that I was there. Mel is really starting to get on my nerves. I got home to Ben asking where I was. I told him I went to see JR. Justin probably told Brian to come right home. It’s like everyone is trying to keep us from having time together.

 

I decided to go see Ma. Everyone else has been visiting with Ted’s new kid. I walked into Ma’s house and see Mark sitting with her.

 

“Why is Calvin’s kid here?” I asked her.

 

“Emmett and Calvin wanted a night out.” She tells me.

 

“I’m surprised Brian didn’t dump the girls on you too,” I tell her.

 

“I think Jen has them.” Ma was watching a show and said it absently.

 

I told her I had to get home and left. Brian is finally going out. I run home and change clothes. Ben was teaching night courses and wouldn’t be home for a while. I figured I could go to Woody’s and then Brian and I could hang out at Babylon. It was only nine thirty, I figured they would still be at Woody's for another hour. I  walked up to see Brian and Emmett heading down the road to Babylon.

 

“Emmett, Brian wait up,” I yell to them.

 

Brian kept walking and I almost had to sprint to catch up to them.

 

“Brian, didn’t you hear me calling you?” I ask him.

 

“All of the people in the Pitts probably heard you, Mikey,” Brian tells me.

 

“I can’t believe you didn’t call me. I had to find out from Ma that everyone made plans to go out tonight.” I want him to know I wasn’t thrilled with him.

 

“We didn’t plan to go out, but Ted and Blake needed time to get to know Austin,” Justin tells me.

 

“Well that explains about Brian being here, but you should have stayed home with your kids. I mean, you're always keeping Brian at home.” I tell him.

 

Justin ignores me and kisses Brian, practically making out in the street. They are whispering something to each other but I can’t hear them. Justin sprints off with Emmett. Hopefully, he will stay gone so I can have best friend time. We reach Babylon, and I’m excited to be here with Brian.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin is in a playful mood tonight. He whispered to me to come find him when I lost the Mikey show. Justin took off with Emmett and I get stuck with the whine brigade.

 

“At least Justin realized you need to spend time with me,” Mikey shouts over the music.

 

“Yeah Mikey, that’s exactly what Justin was thinking,” I tell him sarcastically.

 

I walked up to the catwalk and started looking for Justin. He was dancing in the middle of the crowd with Emmett. I was trying to figure out how to get him to the office.

 

“Brian, did you hear me?” Mikey asks.   

 

“Nope, was it important?” I ask him.

 

“I was saying that we need to start planning a couple nights a week to spend time together. You and I could hang out at the loft and watch movies, without everyone constantly interrupting.” Mikey tells me.

 

I see one of the managers walking to the bar and go to talk to him. Mikey is following me. Jackson was checking with each bar to see if they were stocked. I walked behind the bar and shut the door to leave Mikey on the other side. I told Jackson to leave the office door open and make sure no one follows me up the stairs. Now, time to find Justin.

 

JUSTIN

 

When Michael caught up to us, I wished with every gay gene in my body that he was just a hallucination. He was whining in his full glory that we didn’t call him. I decided he was not going to ruin my night. I told Brian to lose Mikey and come find me.

 

Emmett and I got to the middle of the floor and started dancing. I figured Brian could lose Michael in about fifteen minutes. I watch Brian talking to Jackson. Then Jackson disappears up the stairs to the office. Brian was behind the bar, talking to one of the bartenders. Michael was standing with his arms crossed, staring at Brian.

 

Emmett and I walked over to the bar. I jumped up on the bar and gave Brian a kiss hello.

 

“Jesus, Justin, you needed to stop showing everyone that you think Brian is your property.” Michael whines.

 

“Honey, nobody has to be shown,” Emmett tells Michael.

 

“If he wants to hang on to Brian, he needs to let him have some freedom.”,Michael tells them,

 

“Well, you know what I said about opinions Michael.” I was hoping he would try to use my words against me.

 

“Yeah, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and mine stinks.” Michael didn’t disappoint me.

 

“Wiser words you never spoken, Mikey.” Brian tells him.

 

I could tell Michael didn’t get it, but you know, that is what I expected from three brain cell boy. Brian tells me to go to his office. I walk off and leave Michael to his bitching.

 

EMMETT

 

Michael can’t be that dense. I mean Brian has been walking away from him all night. Justin sticks to letting Michael insult himself. Calvin wanted to know why we put up with Michael.

 

“Deb. She is the only reason we put up with him.” I tell Calvin.

 

“She doesn’t even put up with his shit.” Calvin points out.

 

“I think it’s just years of habit. Michael was a gay comic book geek. Brian protects people. Michael needed a hero and Brian needed somewhere to go to get away from his father. Brian got in the habit of taking care of Michael. I think Ted did it at first because he was in love with Michael. Ted was the first of us to stop catering to Michael. Brian moved away over time, hoping Michael would depend on Ben for emotional support. I wanted more than to listen to Michael and the never ending ‘Brian should be there for me’ rerun.” I tell Calvin.

 

I figure I need to take one for the team. Brian should skip plan A and just get the hell out of here. I tell Calvin that when I get Michael out on the floor to tell Brian to get Justin and go.

 

“Mikey come dance with me.” I tell Michael.

 

I lead Micheal off and Brian mouthed “Thanks". I asked Michael about the his comics, it was a guaranteed distraction. I see Brian dragging Justin out the front door. Michael is talking about Batman or Wonder butt, like I care. I smiled at him and pretended it mattered to me.

 

BRIAN

 

I go and get Justin and tell him if we leave now we can avoid Justin’s fan club. Justin, the smart boy that he is, runs out of the office. We go straight to the car and park in the back of the loft building. We were in the building and in the loft in a matter of minutes.

 

We were working on round two when the buzzer started going off. Justin said we should just not answer and I decided to turn on the radio. We kept going, the buzzer kept going off. We finished round two, and I hear Michael’s whining voice over the answering machine.

 

“Brian, you need to answer the door, it’s me. I thought I could spend the night and we could have a guy’s night. Will you pick up the phone. I know you're there. I walked out back and saw where you parked your car. You need to either pick up the phone or answer your door. I’d like to be in before tomorrow morning...” The answering machine cuts him off.

 

My cell starts ringing to join in with the buzzer. Michael calls the loft phone again. Then I hear Justin talking.

 

“Carl, can you send an officer over to get Michael to go home. He won’t let off the buzzer and is calling every phone in the place complaining. Thanks Carl.” Justin hangs up.

 

“Brian, why aren’t you answering me? Tell Justin he can wait, we haven’t seen each other in forever.” Michael’s whining gets cut off by a police officer. Michael didn’t hang up so we hear them.

 

“Sir, it’s late and the tenants in the building would like for you to leave.” The officer tells him.

 

“I was only trying to talk to my best friend. He lives here, and if Justin Taylor reported me, it was probably his idea of a joke.” Michael tells him.

 

“No sir, it was actually three tenants that I got calls from.” He tells Michael.

 

Justin and I didn’t realize Michael got that loud. Justin starts to giggle. He climbs on top of me and we forget about Michael’s conversation.

 

Chapter 6 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

I was dancing with Emmett and he listened to me talk all about the new Spiderman movie. It was great to talk to someone who listens to me. We finished dancing and I looked around but didn’t see Brian or Boy Wonder.

 

“Calvin, where did Brian go?” I figured Brian was in the backroom.

 

“I don’t know, they were here a second ago, maybe they're out dancing.” He tells me.

 

I told them I was going to look for Brian. I wander around and thought maybe I was just missing him. I circled around and went up stairs. I tried the office but the night manager was the only one in there. I asked him if Brian was around. He told me to try the bathroom. I think I spent an hour trying to find them. I walk by and ask one of the bouncers and he told me they left a while ago. I couldn’t believe they didn’t even say good-bye.

 

I walked out and went to the diner to see if they were there. Kiki told me they hadn’t been in. I went to the loft but Brian wasn’t parked in the front or the garage. I remembered one time Brian parked in the back, so I check and the car is here. This actually works well. I could stay here tonight and Brian could hang out with me.

 

I pushed in the buzzer and held it down to make sure they answered. Then I started calling. I either got voicemail on the cells or the answering machine. I keep buzzing while I called. Someone is going to answer me. They can’t ignore me forever.

 

I was leaving my second message on the answering machine when a cop came up and told me to go. I told him if Justin called it was probably his idea of a joke and he could go. He told me other tenants called and complained that I was yelling and they wanted me to leave. I think the guy is just covering for Justin. A second cop showed up and told me that Carl had him come by to escort me home.

 

“I don’t need an escort home. I need to get in the building to see my best friend who lives here.” I tell them.

 

“Carl told me to tell you, if you didn’t go home I could arrest you and he would take you home.” Cop number two tells me.

 

“Can’t you guys call Brian Kinney and tell him I’m down here. I think his buzzer is broken. He would answer if he knew I was here.” I tell them.

 

Cop number two asks for the phone number and I can’t believe it, Brian answered. After he got off the phone he told me that Brian wanted me to go home. I tell Cop two I can make my own way home. He tells me that he was ordered to take me and to tell me that my husband is waiting for me. Shit. Ben is going to treat me like a kid who stole candy. I decided that I’ll wait till morning and be at Kinnetik when he gets there. Brian has a lot of apologizing to do for sicking Carl on me.

 

LINDS

 

I told Mel she had to take the kids to school this morning. I was upset about the gallery, and at Brian for acting like I needed to mind my own business about Justin’s career.

 

“Linds, I have to be at work and we agreed that you could stay at home for the kids. I don’t care how you feel, take the kids to school. You can come home and mope all you want afterward. You need to get them going or they’ll be late again.” Mel rushes out the door.

 

I get out of bed thirty minutes later and take them to school. I had to go into the office and check them in. I tried to say we had a doctor's appointment but the bitch at the counter told me that I needed a note from the doctor to excuse the tardy. I told her if she wants to accuse me of lying go ahead. I walked out.

 

I was in the car trying to decide what to do with my day. I could clean the house but I wasn’t in the mood. I drove by the diner but Deb’s there and she isn’t sympathetic to my plight. I head to Brian and Justin’s house. I figured I would offer to watch the girls so Justin could work. I got there and nobody was home. I decided to sit there until Justin showed up. I was still tired and I could take a catnap. Justin could wake me when he gets back from wherever he is.

 

MICHAEL

 

I waited until Ben left for classes to go to Kinnetik. When I got home last night Ben wanted to know why I was disturbing a whole building at midnight. I told him I was going to hang out with Brian. Justin wouldn’t let me in.

 

“Michael, change that to Brian and Justin and I think you would be correct. I talked to Brian while you were being escorted here. What the hell would possess you to yell and scream on the sidewalk and buzz their door like that?” Ben asked me.

 

“No one would answer. I wanted to talk to Brian, not the answering machine.” I snapped at him.

 

“Michael, we are going to talk when I get home from school tomorrow. You need to be home, not looking for Brian, chasing Brian, or annoying Brian. Our marriage is going to be on the line if you aren’t here. I think you should sleep in Hunter’s room tonight, I’m too angry to have you near me.” Ben walked upstairs and slammed the door.

 

He is making too big a deal out of this. I think he needs to remember that I sit through all the nights with his professors talking about crap that nobody cares about. I mean, do I really care if they offer the teachers a tax credit if they volunteer to teach adult night courses once a week? I tried to talk about the new action movies that were being released and they told me that was great, then started talking about a book they’d read. I guess I better be home, Ben sounded seriously pissed at me.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian dropped me off at my Mom’s house and went to work. We are going to meet up for lunch at the new place around the corner from Kinnetik.

 

“Last night was great but I missed the kids. Shit, you’ve turned me into a lesbian.” Brian jokingly tells me.

 

“Well you keep calling me a twat, I guess you cursed yourself into growing one. Want me to knock you up before the spell is broken?” I ask him. We were both laughing.

 

“Justin, do you want to try one more time, maybe have a son?” Brian is really serious.

 

“Brian, we already have a son, and three kids are enough. I don’t want to go through the sleepless nights again. The girls still have to be potty trained eventually and I don’t want us to have to spread ourselves too thin with the kids.” I tell him.

 

Brian agreed. I don’t think he really wants any more kids, he just wants to make sure I’m happy. I kiss him and go into my Mom’s house.

 

BRIAN

 

If Justin had said yes, I would have made the baby a fact. I was happy with the way our lives were. I was on my way to work. I check my phone and see for the first time no one called. Hopefully, Michael will stop acting like an ass.

 

Cynthia came into my office at nine and we went over where all the new accounts stand. Gabriel has been worth his weight in gold in New York. My office is still the front part of the New York loft. He was staying in the loft until he found a place of his own. He used the office to meet clients. He signed four new accounts in two months. Two while still here in Pittsburgh and in the last couple of weeks, two more. I told Cynthia to arrange for me to talk to him. I want to offer him a partnership in Kinnetik NY. Kinnetik will need to open a larger office with staff if Gabriel keeps at the pace he is going.

 

Ted and Cynthia both own fifteen percent of all of Kinnetik. I tried to put Justin as an owner.

 

“Why? I already get everything when you kick the bucket anyway. Plus, I try to avoid anything that would make my sperm donor happy. He might think I became a businessman.” Justin told me.

 

I was waiting for Gabriel to call me. Cynthia calls me and tells me Michael is outside trying to get past security. I told her to let him in. I think we need to have a meeting of the minds, or at least as much as Michael’s mind can comprehend.

 

“Brian, you should tell your security guys to let me in without causing a big scene. Why do you even have security?” Michael asks me.

 

“I pay those guys to keep people who don’t work here or aren’t customers from interrupting a business day. Unlike the comic shop, I have to impress people with the atmosphere being businesslike, not like a play date with my friends.” I tell him.

 

“Then you should tell Justin that he and the kids don’t need to visit.” Mickey needs to buy a clue.

 

“I don’t have to tell my husband the importance of making a good impression on people. He has enough sense not to stand in front of my business arguing with my security people. He would have enough sense to know that if someone doesn’t answer their phone, not to call back forty times in a row. Michael, you, for some reason that I cannot fathom, can’t seem to make that connection. I am no longer BRIAN FUCKING KINNEY.” I yell at him.

 

“Brian, you’ll always be...” I cut him off.

 

“Mikey, I am now a father, a husband, and have three thriving businesses to run. My HUSBAND is a successful artist and in demand. My daughters’ names are Victoria and Beth NOT ‘Justin’s kids’. I don’t have time to be what you want anymore. Go home and pray that Ben is as forgiving as he tells us he is. Better yet, go to your shop and actually work. I don’t fucking care anymore, but whatever you do, don’t call at all hours trying to make plans. If I want to see you, I’ll call and you can get me back by not answering, the way I’ve been doing to you.” I hope Mikey is listening.

 

“Jeeze Brian, maybe you need to cut out the caffeine, you're kind of cranky this morning.” I guess he forgot to buy the clue.

 

“Yeah, it’s the coffee, Mikey. I have things to do, and you aren’t one of them.” I say as I lead Michael outside.

 

Cynthia comes in and asks if I want more coffee, I flip her off. Justin called from the lobby at lunchtime and told me he was waiting for me. I had finished everything for the day, so I wanted to surprise Justin and the girls and go home early.

 

“Why’d you bring all your stuff when we’re just going to lunch?” He asks me.

 

“I don’t have anything pressing so I decided to call it a day. We can have a longer lunch with your mom. If you want, we can take the girls to the kid gym too.” I was ready to play with the girls.

 

We met Jen and the girls at the new Italian place around the corner from Kinnetik. Jen asked how everything was and I explained to her about Michael acting like a jealous housewife.

 

“Brian, it’s not a jealous housewife but the mistress. Justin gets all your attention and time. Michael is lucky if he gets the leftovers. Michael is on the sidelines looking into your life instead of the center of your attention like he was before Justin.” Jen tells me.

 

“Wait, I want to be the mistress, they are younger and better looking,” Justin says. He is such a smart ass.

 

 

Chapter 7 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

After lunch, we took the girls to the indoor kids' gym so they could run off some energy. Victoria likes to sit on the highest step and look around. Justin told me it’s to survey her kingdom. Beth is a runner. One of us has to chase her around. I told Justin to do it because it keeps his bubble butt from sagging. Jen laughed at that.

 

We were both running after Beth when my phone went off. It was Cynthia, I forgot about Gabriel. Mikey left me ready to have some peace.

 

“Hey Cynthia, tell Gabriel I’ll call him in an hour from my house,” I tell her.

 

“I will when he calls. He told me to tell you he has two more accounts that should be calling back, so he was going to call after getting the agreements. I’m calling you because the school called and wanted to know if someone could pick up Gus and JR.” She tells me.

 

“Call them back and tell them I’m ten minutes away and will be there as soon as possible.” I’m going to murder Linds.

 

I tell Justin we have to go get Gus and JR from the school. Jen tells us she’ll watch the girls and we can get them from her house. I thank her and we run out the door. Justin tries Linds and Mel. Linds is just ringing through to voicemail. Mel had court so she might not be able to answer. As soon as we got to the school, Mel called back.

 

“What is going on?” She asks me.

 

“I got a call from Cynthia, the school called and said no one picked up the kids today. I need you to give them permission for us to take JR. Linds isn’t answering.” I tell her.

 

“I can be there in ten minutes, I was walking out of court and just turned on my phone. I called because I haven’t had time to listen to my messages yet.” She tells me.

 

“We’re already here, just about to walk in the door. I’ll see you when you get here.” I tell her.

 

Justin walks up to the front desk and tells the woman sitting there that we are Gus’s fathers. She asks us if the mothers are on their way. He told her that we were able to locate one of the mothers. She tells us the principal wants to speak to the parents of the children and we need to wait.

 

“Brian, try Linds again. I hope she has a better reason than that she lost track of time.” Justin tells me.

 

“She isn’t answering. She better already be hurt or unable to move, otherwise, she just might be after this.” Brian tells me.

 

“Brian, Justin, I’m so sorry about this. I can’t get a hold of Linds.” Mel says as she rushes in.

 

“Good afternoon, I’m Tom Driver, the principal. Can we step into my office and talk? I have a teacher staying with the children.” He tells us.

 

We all file in and take seats. He asks if Justin and I are the children’s fathers.

 

“Gus is our son. Jenny is a friend’s daughter.” I tell him.

 

“I wanted to discuss this with all the parents. The children are being left at school late very often. They are also tardy at least once a week, and this morning Ms. Peterson told us they went to the doctor. I have tried talking to her about the situation and it doesn’t seem to have changed. I need to find out how you, as the parents, are going to help this situation, so it doesn’t repeat itself continuously.” He asks us.

 

I want to get snarky, but I can’t argue that he is being an asshole. He seems to be worried about Gus and JR.

 

“Linds and I are the primary caregivers of Gus and JR, so it’s our responsibility to be on time. I don’t know where she is at the moment. I can assure you this won’t happen again.” Mel tells him.

 

“I want to believe you, but I had this same conversation with Ms. Peterson a couple of days ago. She told me it wouldn’t happen again. I do want you to know it has never been this late before, but she is usually anywhere from fifteen to twenty minutes late. The only reason we contacted you was that it was over an hour late and we hadn’t heard from any of you.” He is trying to be nice about this.

 

“What time does someone need to be here to get the kids,” Justin asks him.

 

“We start loading the children on buses and in the carpool at 3 pm. We like for the parents to be outside by that time.” He tells Justin.

 

“I can be here to pick them up.” Justin offers.

 

“Justin, I can’t ask that of you. You have Beth and Victoria too.” Mel tells him.

 

“Mel, on days you can get them on time, just call me. We also need to add our cell phones to your contact list. Apparently, you only have Brian’s business phone listed. Also, does something need to be signed so that we can pick up JR without a problem?” Justin questions.

 

“I will have it noted in her file,” The principal tells us.

 

“I also only work a few miles away, if there is an emergency and Mel can’t be here, contact me,” I tell him.

 

The principal seemed satisfied with this arrangement. He thanked us for being prompt once we were called. Gus and JR came to us. JR was upset and Gus asked where his mother was.

 

“She got caught in traffic Gus,” Justin tells him.

 

Justin shook his head at me, he didn’t want the children more upset. He told the kids we were taking them out for pizza. I called Jen and told her what was going on. She said she would meet us at the pizza place with the girls. Linds better be in the hospital or I might make her wish she was.

 

LINDS

 

I keep having this dream that I couldn’t shut off this ringing noise. I woke up and looked around. Justin wasn’t home yet. I turned on my car to see what time it was. Oh fuck me, it was almost 5 pm. I looked at my phone and saw that I had twenty missed calls. I hope someone got the kids. I start the car and drive back towards my house.

 

I almost turned around and went somewhere else when I saw all the cars in our driveway. Emmett spotted me and turned and yelled towards the house. I parked and Emmett said he had to go. I walked into the house. Great, Michael is here.

 

“Mel, she better have a good explanation for abandoning JR at the school.” Michael was in full drama mode.

 

“Look, I want to talk to her alone, why don’t you go home. I promise you this won’t happen again. Justin and I have it worked out so the kids will be picked up on time.” Mel tells Michael.

 

“I’m not leaving until I get an explanation for her not taking care of her responsibilities,” Michael tells Mel.

 

“Michael, I need to be able to talk to my wife without you trying to cause a fight. Trust me I am no happier about this than you.” Mel tells Michael.

 

“I get that everyone's upset about this, but until we talk to Linds nothing's getting solved. Let Mel talk to her and then we can try to discuss this rationally.” Justin tells Michael.

 

“You need to mind your own business, it isn’t about your kid. Why don’t you go upstairs and watch YOUR brats, so we can discuss OUR children.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“Michael SIT YOUR ASS IN A CHAIR and shut up. Those BRATS are my daughters.” Brian tells Michael.

 

I walked in and decided to face the heat.

 

JUSTIN

 

I wanted to stomp the shit out of Michael, but Linds and Mel were in the wrong here. Brian apparently had enough. I look and see Linds standing there. I wanted to talk to her alone because this was going to get ugly and even though I understand why everyone is pissed, it’s not going to help anything to get in a shouting match.

 

“I know I fucked up guys, I’m sorry. I went to Brian and Justin’s house to talk to Justin. I was waiting for him and fell asleep.” Linds tells us.

 

“So, because you're so busy trying to kiss up to Justin, my kid gets left at school again.” Michael snarks at her.

 

“You’re one to talk, Mr. Best Friend. You’re too busy trying to suck Brian’s dick to pay attention to JR or Ben.” Linds tells him.

 

“If you spent time taking care of the kids and not hoping that Justin will let you suck his dick, then we wouldn’t be here,” Michael tells her.

 

“At least I understand what it means when people tell me they are busy. You instead take it as a reason to unload your kid on anybody so you can chase Brian.” Linds sneers at him.

 

“At least I can drop off my kid and arrive on time to pick her up.” Michael sneers back.

 

Brian starts to clap his hands. They both turn to look at him.

 

“As much as I want to watch more episodes of Beavis and Butthead, I would like to get home. Linds, Mel and Justin have decided that Justin is going to pick the kids up each afternoon. You are going to drop them off on time in the morning. I, as a concerned father, will call you each morning to make sure the children make it to school ON TIME. Michael is going to SHUT THE FUCK UP.” Brian tells them.

 

It was like looking at a Minnesota Picnic by Seurat. There is so much going on you have to tilt your head back and forth to see it all. Beavis and Butthead finally stopped the blame game. Brain told them what was going to happen. Linds looked hurt. Michael wasn’t through.

 

“JR is my daughter, and I should be able to make decisions about her.” Michael just can’t give up.

 

“Okay, are you going to pick her up or do you have a better idea?” Brian sneers at him.

 

“I can’t get to the school every day. Linds doesn’t work so she should be taking care of it.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“Until we can guarantee that Linds will be there every day, this is the solution we have. Unless you're at the school to get your daughter, she will come home with Justin. That’s final Michael, we aren’t going to argue anymore about this.” Mel tells Michael.

 

“Justin needs to be able to work on his art. You guys are making him take more time away from that, or is that what you want Brian?”

 

 

Linds really needs to shut up.

 

“No Linds, it’s not what I want but unfortunately for me, the person who should have picked up the kids today didn’t show up. Therefore we had to sit in the principal’s office like children and listen to the fact that you’re not only late picking them up but also lying to the school about why they aren’t dropped off on time. If you had taken care of that, Justin wouldn’t have had to volunteer himself to do it. I think maybe you could shut the hell up too.” Brian tells her.

 

“That’s right Linds. Maybe we should revisit the custody agreement, Mel.” Michael tells her.

 

“Michael, as much as I want to stay and listen to the whining and blame, I need to tell my son goodnight and take my daughters home for dinner. So fight on dude, without us.” Brian tells Michael.

 

We head upstairs and walk in to see Gus sitting on the bed with JR. They are both watching the girls sleeping. I need to paint this picture. I grab my phone and start snapping pictures from all angles. The kids are so used to this they sit still till I stop. Brian looks at the pictures and tells me that he doesn’t care how much someone offers for the finished painting, I can’t sell it.

 

This is what Linds doesn’t see. I haven’t even painted it but Brian already knows this is going to be the best one I ever do.

 

Chapter 8 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

I was on my way to pick up the kids. I find it funny Michael was trying to play injured father, yet not once in the last three weeks has he shown up to pick up JR. I started taking the kids to the loft with me, because Linds and Mel decided they needed a break and counseling to see if they have a future together. Linds moved in with her sister, because her mother told her it was time to be more responsible. Mel has the kids because Lynette didn’t want children in her house. Mel told me they were just taking a breather for now. I think they need to stop playing and just end it.

 

Gus told me it had been non-stop fighting until Linds suggested staying with Lynette and going to counseling. Brian was not thrilled that we were watching a rerun of the Mel and Linds show.

 

Linds found us at the diner a week after the separation. She told us she had a suggestion for us. Brian wanted to know if she and Mel had come to any decisions.

 

“Brian, Mel and I just need some space. We aren’t leaving each other, it’s just we can’t talk without fighting and we feel that if we aren’t at the house together it will make the counseling sessions less stressful.” Linds tells us.

 

“If the kids weren’t involved, I would tell you to do what you want.” Brian is irritated.

 

“Brian, it’s because of the children that we decided to do this. I actually came here to see if you wanted me to help out Justin at the house. I could stay there and make sure he has time to paint.” Linds really is in her own world.

 

“Linds, the last time I checked, the reason for this separation was because you couldn’t take care of your family. Justin and I are perfectly capable of taking care of ours, without your help.” Brian tells Linds.

 

“Justin, wouldn’t it be easier if I was here to watch the girls?” Linds decides to try this on me.

 

“Linds, when Brian and I had the girls we discussed how we planned on raising them. We, meaning Brian and me. It didn’t include anybody else then and it still doesn’t. I don’t want to be an asshole here, but well, I’m going to have to be. Instead of you being at my house, maybe you could be home to get the kids from me. Mel isn’t going to get pissed if you start showing some responsibility. I have always had time to paint, Brian makes sure of it.” I tell her.

 

“I was only trying to help,” Linds answers nastily before she walks out of the diner.

 

I got to the school ten minutes early to pick up the kids. Brian took late lunches so he could meet us at the loft and spend time with the kids. Michael tried to invade the loft, but Brian told him if he wanted to take JR it was fine, but he was not to come and expect to hang out with Brian. Michael tried to play it off that JR was the reason, but after the third time he was told to take her and leave, he stopped coming by.

 

Michael actually got out of trouble with Ben. We didn’t know that Ben had finally issued an ultimatum to Michael. When Michael didn’t show up on time for the conversation Ben wanted to have, Ben told him to leave the house. Michael told him it was about JR. Ben let it go. Ben and Michael are doing okay, for now. Michael has been hiding his stalking of Brian as checking on JR.

 

Ted came back to work and told Brian that if it had been twins, he would have come back earlier and worked for free. Blake loves that Ted told him to take a leave of absence and be with Austin. Ted told us that if Austin hadn’t been so adorable he might have tried to give him back. Ted is so lying, he calls the house five times a day to see what Austin is doing.

 

The kids voted for chicken with vegetables for dinner. Brian was waiting for us. I started cooking, JR always wants to help. I let her arrange the vegetables on the steamer plate. Brian asked when my show was, he was working on his schedule for the next month. I told him it was the last week of the month. Brian doesn’t want me to show the series of paintings I did of the kids. I told him I already had them marked as not for sale.

 

Mel was early today, she told me she cleared her schedule enough to be home at night. I told her to stay and eat so they can relax when they go home. Mel asked Brian and me if we could talk after dinner. We fed everyone and then the girls and JR went to the bedroom to play. Gus had homework so he went to the desk on the other side of the loft.

 

“Michael is suing for custody again. I got the summons at my office.” She tells us.

 

“What are the grounds this time?” Brian asked her.

 

“Neglect. He is using Linds not taking care of the kids as an excuse.” Mel tells us.

 

“Does Ben know?” I ask her.

 

“I talked to Ben, he told me Michael is concerned about Linds not taking care of the kids. He and Michael could just keep JR until Linds and I work out our problems. Ben doesn’t want permanent custody and felt Michael couldn’t be a full-time father. I would be willing to agree to let them keep JR until Linds and I work out our problems, but I refuse to let Michael get primary custody.” Mel tells us.

 

“Did Ben agree to have he and Michael take JR?” I ask her.

 

“Ben thought it would work and I thought we agreed. Then Michael left a message telling me he was taking this to court. Brian, he thinks you and Justin will support him. He is probably going to use Justin having to take Gus and JR every afternoon as me being unable to take care of JR.” Mel started to cry.

 

“Mel, let him do it. Brian told him once and he didn’t learn, nobody stays clean in court. Go talk to Carl about Michael being escorted from the front of this building a few weeks ago. You're going to have to be the bad guy here. You aren’t neglecting the kids Mel, you are the provider for the family. The only reason I have the children is so that you can work. Basically, it’s a nanny situation. Michael is still pissed that no one is siding with him.” I tell Mel.

 

Michael should know better than to call me as a witness for him.

 

LINDS

 

Sydney finally retired at the gallery. I waited till he was gone to go to the gallery. I walked in and looked around. The walls were being painted and the new floors were put in. It wasn’t something I would do. I was wandering around to see if Brian was trying to promote Justin’s work here. It would be something else to keep Justin from going back to New York where he belongs.

 

“Good Afternoon, welcome to Bloom Gallery. My name is Reed, let me know if I can help in any way.” I turned to see who was talking. I can’t believe Brian hired someone so young.

 

“I wanted to see the changes that Brian and Justin are making to the gallery. I’m Lindsay Peterson. I used to help Sydney run the gallery.” I tell Reed.

 

“I hope you like what you see. We are actually almost finished.” He tells me.

 

“It’s okay. I liked the flooring the way it was and I don’t understand why you're painting the walls stark white. I think the other white on the walls lent a softness to them.” I tell him.

 

“Well, I guess if you're less edgy and want to attract grandmothers to look at our paintings we could do soft. The floors are the same floors that were here when I was hired, we stripped and refinished the floors, so the look would be clean.” He says with a smile.

 

“I don’t know where you got your experience but I have worked in this gallery and know the clientele. Brian is going to expect you to be able to keep this gallery profitable.” I tell him.

 

“I went to Yale and was a double major in Art History and Business Management. I mean, I’m only a Ph.D., but who’s trying to brag? What about you?” Reed asks me.

 

“I need to get going and see Justin. Maybe I’ll see you later.” I leave the gallery.

 

Reed needs to work on his people skills. I think I’ll mention that to Brian. I walk to the diner for lunch. I see Peter and Justin sitting and talking. I think I need to see what they are discussing.

 

“Hey Justin, I was just coming in for lunch. Peter, what are you doing in the Pitts?” I ask.

 

“Justin sent me pictures of his new series of work and I wanted to come to see it. Brian is trying to keep Justin from showing it. I came to reassure Brian that the paintings will be returned safe and sound.” Peter said while laughing.

 

“Justin, you can’t let Brian tell you what to do,” I tell Justin.

 

“Linds, Peter is just kidding. I wanted to see how much space I had for the show next month.” Justin tells me.

 

“If you had stayed in New York as I suggested, Peter wouldn’t have to come all the way here to talk to you,” I tell him.

 

“Linds it was an hour flight and I would fly around the world to see Justin’s paintings. I predict people are going to try to convince Justin to sell them.” Peter tells me.

 

“You should be convincing Justin to be where he would get more notice,” I tell Peter.

 

Peter and Justin get up and tell me they need to go to the gallery. Peter is leaving to go back to New York soon. I offered to come with them. Justin told me they needed to talk business. I wanted to say something about Reed but they seemed to be in a hurry. I’ll just talk to Justin later about him.

 

JUSTIN

 

“Justin, I know you told me to handle Linds with kid gloves, but she needs to understand I am your agent. I wouldn’t try to hurt your career.” Peter seems worried.

 

“Peter, all I asked was for you to tolerate her. I expect you to keep doing the excellent job you have been doing in managing my career. What did you think I was asking?” I ask him.

 

“Truthfully, I thought you wanted me to listen to her. We never really talked much about it. You told me to give her some latitude. I guess I thought you wanted her to have information on what you were doing.” Peter tells me.

 

“No. I knew she would be calling you. I didn’t want you to get pissed enough to drop me.” I tell Peter.

 

Peter tells me that he would be an idiot to drop me as a client. I told him to only tell her anything that would be in a press release. I’m glad we talked.

 

I told Brian that I would pick up Gus and JR and bring them to the house. It was our weekend to have the kids. Brian stayed home with the girls so Peter and I could work. Mel called last night to see if we could keep JR. She was seeing an attorney about the custody hearing they had next week. Ben isn’t happy that Michael wanted to make this situation worse.

 

 

I got to the school to pick up the kids, Gus was standing there but no JR. Gus got in the car.

 

“Where’s your sister?” I ask him.

 

“I don’t know, she wasn’t waiting for me,” Gus tells me.

 

I pull around to park. Gus and I walk back up to the school. I told Gus we would go to the office. JR wasn’t standing anywhere. I walked into the office and asked if they could page JR.

 

“Jenny was signed out at 2 pm, by her father.” The secretary tells me.

 

I thanked her and we go back to the car. I call Mel to see if she knew Michael was signing JR out.

 

“Mel, did you know Michael signed JR out of school?” I ask her.

 

“No. He didn’t make plans with me to do anything,” Mel tells me.

 

She told me to take Gus and she would try to find out what Michael was doing. I started driving home. We were halfway home when Mel called back.

 

“He told me he wanted you to pick her up at his house. Justin, you don’t have to go back. If Michael wants to suddenly be a dad, let him deal with JR. She is going to be pissed at him, she was looking forward to going swimming at your house.” Mel tells me.

 

I tell her I’ll handle it. She needs to meet with her lawyer and make sure they are ready for the hearing. I call Brian to tell him about his ‘best friend’s’ latest crap.

 

“Justin, just come home. I’ll deal with Michael.” Brian tells me.

 

Michael thinks Brian being sarcastic is bad. He is going to meet Brian, my husband, and the children’s father. Brian hasn’t bothered to talk to Michael much since the day Linds didn’t pick up the kids. Brian said he wasn’t going to father Michael anymore. We have young children that can still accept guidance, Michael is long past the accepting guidance stage.

 

 

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

Justin called to tell me about Michael’s latest stupid pet trick. Justin was going to turn around and get JR, I told him to come home. If Michael is trying to act like a concerned father, he's a little late in the game. I can't even figure out what he thinks this is going to accomplish.

 

JR and Gus already have attendance issues, because of Linds. Michael taking JR out early isn't going to make it better. Michael wanted Justin for a reason, well he is getting me. If he thinks we are going to play find the kid, he’d better think again. This is his weekend with JR, and he told Mel that he and Ben had a function and couldn’t get JR tonight. We were supposed to arrange for drop off in the morning. Michael doesn’t think before he acts, he just does something then tries to justify it.

 

Justin pulls in with Gus, I waited with the girls. I took the day off for Justin be able to meet with Peter. Now I have to leave my family because Michael wanted to prove some point. I kiss Justin so I can have a happy moment. Gus says hi and runs to change so he can get in the pool.

 

“What the hell is Michael doing Brian?” Justin asks me.

 

“We’ll know as soon as I get there,” I tell him.

 

“Leave him breathing, that is all I ask. I don’t have time to hide a body today.” Justin tells me.

 

I took Justin’s car, I want Michael to think he got what he wanted. I get to Michael house, I can hear JR complaining that she was supposed to come to our house. I knock and hope I can keep from making Justin hide a body today.

 

“Brian, I was waiting for Justin. Why are you here?” Mikey asks me.

 

I asked JR to go get her things but wait in her room until after I talk to her father. JR told me to hurry up, she wanted to go. I wait till she is in her room.

 

“Where is Justin?” Mikey wants to know.

 

“Well Mikey, after Justin had to waste half an hour trying to locate JR, the office told him that you checked her out of school early. We called Mel to see if the PLAN had changed and we weren’t informed. Mel then has to call you to find out what you did without informing her. She calls Justin back when he is halfway home to tell him that we had to come here to pick her up. Can you tell me why we had to do this?” I really hope it’s a better answer than ‘because he wanted to’.

 

“I wanted to make sure I spent some time with JR. My plans got in the way of JR’s visitation, so it made sense to me to pick her up. I don’t want to be accused of not spending time with her.” He thinks this was the right course of action.

 

“You know Mikey, the best way to not be accused of ignoring your daughter would have been to skip the fucking plans for going out and spend time with her. Not take her out of school, where her attendance is already an issue. You need to fucking think, not just do what you want.” I tell him.

 

“I also needed to talk to JUSTIN, not you. My lawyer wants him to testify for me. The lawyer told me that Justin having to assume the responsibility for JR will help my case. I didn’t want Justin to make the situation worse, so I wanted to explain what he is expected to say when he testifies.” Mikey tells me.

 

“What were you going to do, give him notes to make you look better? If that was your plan you don’t know my husband as well as you think you do. Why are you even trying to gain custody when you don’t bother to spend time with her? In the last three weeks, you only showed up three times and all three times I told you to take JR and do something. Instead of showing an ounce of parenting, you're upset because I won’t let you hang out with me. Today you suddenly decide you want to pretend to care where your daughter is, and it’s Justin and me who have to deal with the stupid things you do. I told you a long time ago, nobody is going to stay clean in this. I hope you aren’t lying to your lawyer because neither Justin or I are going to lie for you. You aren’t going to win any points with this because you took your daughter out of school to visit. Not for a reason that could be excused. Mel has an investigator reporting on everything you aren’t doing concerning your daughter. You don’t pay child support and you barely see her, that is what that report is going to say, Mikey. Instead of doing anything other than whining everyone to death, you should have been making time for JR. Mel could start asking for child support from you because you want to be so involved. Did that occur to you? Does anything about this situation pass through your brain and come out with, let's play games and hope I win?” I ask and can see the hamsters in his brain are working overtime to come up with a response.

 

“FUCK YOU, BRIAN.” That was all the hamsters came up with?

 

“No Michael, FUCK YOU. JR isn’t an action figure you can arrange on a table and only pull her out to play. She is your CHILD. Stop trying to one-up Mel and be her father. You got butthurt when Mel wouldn’t agree to let you dump your kid on her and decided to stick it to her. This isn’t even about JR, it’s about Mikey wanting to show he has the bigger dick. Well Mikey, so far you're falling on your face. Do not expect that calling Justin, Emmett, Ted, me, or even your mother, to testify is going to help you. We all have too many stories of you not taking responsibility for your kid. You’re your own worst enemy Michael. I hope some of this is getting through to you because you're making an ass out of yourself, and this time no one is going to rescue you. Now, for the reason I came, is JR ready to go or are we going to play butt hurt Mikey?” I ask him.

 

“You know, we are best friends, we are supposed to support each other. I would have thought you would have wanted to get your son away from that house. I guess Gus isn’t that important, now that Justin showed up with kids.” Mikey is going to die today.

 

“You really want to go there Mikey, I mean, I’ve spent every day with Gus in the last two weeks. I have cleared my schedule to spend time with all my children, and JR, who is YOUR child. Justin and I make sure they have emotional support and a parent that they see is going to be there. Mel rearranged her schedule to spend time with Gus and JR through all of this mess. You were called by the school when Linds pulled her shit and didn’t even come to find out what was happening. You only showed up at the house because it was wouldn’t inconvenience you and to get a shot at Mel. You and Linds start arguing about who’s dicks you both want to suck and didn’t even offer a solution to take care of JR. Justin, instead of trying to argue with the principal, offered a simple answer and followed through to make sure the kids are taken care of. Mel should be beating her head against a wall for picking your sperm instead of Justin’s to squirt up her twat. I hope you're prepared to explain to the mediator why going out drinking with Ben’s friends tonight is more important than doing something with JR. You remember, your daughter. I need to go now because I was planning on spending a family day with all the kids, not a play date with baby Novotny.” I see JR waiting with her things.

 

“I can’t help that plans were made Brian. I’m sure that you have had to skip out on Gus once in a while.” Michael sneers at me.

 

“No, I haven't. Because when I get Gus, I tell everyone that my child is more important. Something you need to learn.” I walk out of the house.

 

JR is in the car. I was going to apologize to her for making her listen to us. JR told me I need to stop trying to reason with the child. This is from a five-year-old. Anybody see a problem with this?

 

MICHAEL

 

Brian thinks he is a better father than me. Well, he needs to remember when he hardly saw Gus. He could lose his kids if anybody wanted to bring it up. I wanted Justin to come today. My lawyer told me that I had to prove Mel was the one who neglected JR, not Linds. He wants character witnesses on my behalf. I figured by now Justin was tired of having to pick up JR and Gus and would be glad to tell the lawyer Mel wasn’t helping. Then Brian had to go and stick his nose in it.

 

Ben came home and asked about my day. I tell him, work and home. I don’t want him to know that Brian showed up here, and showed his ass. Ben tells me the other teachers had to cancel tonight. I tell him I need a night out. We decided to go to Woody's, I was in the mood to drink tonight. Brian needs to remember that I stuck by him. We stayed at Woody’s for an hour and I drank four shots of Beam and beer chasers. Ben told me to slow down. I told him I wanted to have fun tonight. We got to Babylon and I was feeling good. I found Anita and asked for a couple tabs of E. I drowned it with some shots of Tequila. I put another tab on my tongue and kissed it into Ben’s mouth and made him do a shot.  All the crap from today is just gone.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian returned with JR and he told me we could talk later. I told him that Emmett and Calvin wanted to come over with Mark. Brian said that would give Gus someone to play with. Beth and Victoria were in the pool with me. I had them sit with me on the stairs, they are still unsure of the pool. Brian comes out and sits back on the steps with me. The girls are in our arms splashing the water around.

 

“Mikey thinks you can make him look good to his lawyer,” Brian tells me.

“He does remember it was me he was talking about, right?” I ask Brian.

 

“I think he thought you could be a puppet and he could pull the strings and make you say what he wanted,” Brian tells me.

 

“I should talk to his lawyer, I mean, I can tell him all about how Michael hasn’t shown up to see his daughter except three times and for only ten to fifteen minutes. I could also tell him, when he did show up he didn’t even talk to JR. How about the fact that we have had JR at least one night during each of his last two scheduled visitations. Or that the police had to remove Michael from the front of the loft at midnight because he can’t understand…” Brian kissed me to silence my tirade.

 

Emmett and Calvin came into the backyard and asked if Michael wanted us to testify for him too. Brian groaned.

 

The next morning I got the kids ready to go to the diner. Michael is supposed to meet us there. Brian told me we aren’t going to get in a conversation with Michael. He can pick up JR and leave. I don’t really care, we were going to my mom’s house for brunch so we aren’t going to be there long anyway.

 

We were at the diner about five minutes early and took the kids to see Deb. Brian was on the phone with Gabriel. They haven’t been able to talk to each other. Gabriel is apparently planning on taking over the world with Brian. Brian offered him a partnership in Kinnetik. He is going to have Cynthia fly up and start scouting locations. Brian wants Gabriel to have a full staff. They are constantly trying to outdo each other in winning accounts. All I know is that Brian is at the point where he could stay home and buy Armani till he dies and the kids will still never have to work.

 

We sat in the diner for over an hour and no Michael. Deb called Michael and Ben and couldn’t get anybody to answer. Brian tells Deb we’re going to my mom’s for brunch and if Mikey shows to tell him we appreciate the fact that he bothered to show up at all. Deb told Brian she would offer to take JR but the breakfast rush is really busy. Brian tells her not to worry about it, we’ll just keep JR.

 

Wonder what happened to father of the universe.

 

MICHAEL

 

I feel like someone put a bell over my head and is hitting it with a sledgehammer. I roll over and fall off the bed. That hurt. I pulled myself up and Ben is still sleeping. I need to get us up and going. We have to get JR, so Brian doesn’t make an issue of it. We should have come home earlier but we were both kinda high and didn’t watch the time. I start the coffee and start drinking what seems like a gallon of water. I shook Ben awake and told him we need to shower so we can get JR. He asks what time it is. I look over at the clock, 3 pm, it has to be wrong. I grab my phone and look, it’s still at 3 pm. I call the diner to see if Ma is still there. She left an hour ago. I call Brian’s phone and get sent to voicemail. I call Justin’s phone and get sent to voicemail but apparently, Justin had a message recorded for me.

 

“Hi, you’ve reached Justin Taylor. I am unable to answer but leave a message and I’ll return your call as soon as possible. If this is the Novotny-Bruckners, please see the principal about showing up on time to get your daughter. All calls will be forwarded to Melanie Marcus, who is acting principal during the weekends and has asked that you call her to inform her of how you are going to improve your performance. Thank you for calling.” I hang up without leaving a message.

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

We had JR with us all day, Mel offered to come and get her. I told her to come to the house, Michael is going to have to work to get JR. At three my phone was ringing. I didn’t answer, I don’t have anything left to say to him. Justin’s phone goes off and he is watching.

 

“What did you do?” I ask him, knowing by the look on his face that something was up.

 

“Nothing, I just changed my voicemail,” Justin tells me.

 

I called his phone and told him to let me go to voicemail. I listen and kiss the twat on the cheek. Justin can be just as childish as Michael, but he doesn’t let anybody get hurt by what he does.

 

MICHAEL

 

I told Ben he needed to help me find JR. I refuse to call Mel so she can act like a bitch. Ben tells me that we just need to face the music and call her. He also wanted to know what I gave him last night. I told him it was just a little E.

 

“You ’re kidding with me, right Michael? I can’t risk any drug interfering with the other medication I take.” Ben tells me.

 

“You’re fine. I was upset last night and wasn't thinking.” I tell him.

 

“It’s not fine. If someone from the college finds out I could also lose my job.” Ben tells me.

 

“It’s not like anybody knew what we did. That is not the problem right now anyway. Brian and Mel are going to give me crap about not picking up JR on time since we didn’t take her yesterday.” I tell him.

 

“What are you talking about? You told me that Brian wanted to take JR yesterday. I asked you about this when Abe asked us to go out with him last night. Remember, you told me that we could because Brian and Justin asked to take JR.” Ben tells me.

 

Well, I might have told him that, but Abe was talking about seeing the new Spiderman movie. His son wanted to see it and Abe asked us if we wanted to go. It was the first time one of Ben’s friends wanted to do something I was interested in. Ben asked if we were going to take JR and I told him that Justin wanted JR to spend the night with them.

 

“Gus said they were going swimming and JR should come, so I told Mel that we had plans and Justin could take JR last night,” I told him.

 

“We could have kept JR and stayed in so I didn’t end up taking drugs last night Michael.” Ben is really angry about this.

 

“Look, after Brian came over yesterday and bitched about the custody hearing, I needed a night to relax. You could have said no if you didn’t want the E.” I tell him.

 

“Do you know why people accidentally take E and end up in the hospital, Michael. It’s because someone like you doses them in a way they don't realize. Like you did. E is tasteless. All I could taste in your kiss was Tequila. So no, I COULDN’T TELL YOU NO AFTER YOU KISSED IT INTO MY MOUTH.” Ben yells at me.

 

“As much as I want to argue about this, I need your help. Brian already acts like I don’t take care of JR, and not showing up this morning at ten isn’t going to make me look good. Brian actually said I neglect JR.” I tell him.

 

“I tried to tell you this custody battle was a bad idea. We are hardly home, and having to make allowances for having a small child full time isn’t something we can do. If I remember correctly you told me to butt out. You said that how you handle JR is up to you, not me. I guess I’ll just keep my ass out of it. In fact, I think I’ll go stay with Hunter until you figure out that you're not cut out to be a full-time father. You’re not even cut out to be a part-time father with this latest stunt. I’ll call you if and when I make a decision on being a full-time husband or an ex-husband.” Ben packed a bag and walked out the front door.

 

I had been pissed at Ben because he called Mel behind my back and told her that if she wanted, we could just keep JR until she and Linds figure out what they were doing. I told him he didn’t have any right to make decisions on how I handle my daughter. Ben asked me if I felt that way, why were we still together? I realized I should have handled it differently, so I told him it scared me that Linds endangered JR. Justin and Brian had to be there because Mel didn’t show up until Brian tracked her down. Ben told me he could see why I was scared, but why sue Mel.

 

I started staying at the shop after closing and telling Ben I’d been visiting JR to reassure him. Ben was happy that I was taking a larger role in JR’s life. I hope Brian was just trying to scare me with the investigator. I mean, what if Ben hears what I’ve been doing instead of spending time with JR? I don’t think someone could follow me around all day and without me knowing it.

 

I was trying to find out Brian’s schedule so he couldn’t lie and tell me he was working when I asked to do things. I still have a key to the loft. Brian changed the key and code, but I got a copy from Ted’s keychain and made my own. The code was the hard part, but I just keep watching Brian when he put it in till I got it. Brian always keeps copies of his schedule in his email, so I went to the loft one day and used his computer but Brian password protected it, so I couldn’t get in. I tried everything I could think of, my name, my birthday, the year we met. I even tried Justin’s information. I gave up and just watched porn. After that, I would spend the morning snooping around the loft. Brian and Justin just started keeping food there. It sucks. It’s mostly fruits and vegetables, but I did find some oreo’s and chips stashed in the cabinet. Lately, I just watch movies and take catnaps.

 

LINDS

 

Lynette wanted to have lunch with Mother and Daddy. I told her I was going to see Gus. I need to get things worked out with Mel, Lynette keeps inviting all of her husband’s associates to dinner and telling them I’m single. Mother and Lynette told me that most of the guys wouldn’t mind having a stepson, and even if the marriage didn’t last at least I would get support.

 

Mel told me that we could try living in the house together. The counselor told us that living apart doesn’t solve the problems, it only makes us less likely to have to talk to each other. I didn’t want to hear any more about how Justin doesn’t need me to take care of his career. I’ve been rethinking that after each dinner party.

 

I walked to the gallery and look to see who’s there today. It’s a woman about my age, I walk in.

 

“Good Afternoon, I’m Elle. Is there anything you're looking for?” She asks me.   

 

“I wanted to see the finished gallery. I’m Lindsay Peterson, I worked here when Sydney still owned the gallery. I was here a few days ago but it looked like the gallery was being redone.” I tell her.

 

“Reed, the new manager, wanted to update the look. Sydney told Reed the gallery still attracted the older clientele. Reed and I wanted a look that attracted the thirty and forty somethings. I think we achieved it” Elle tells me.

 

“I would have wanted to attract the people with more disposable income. I mean, the older crowd tends to have more money to spend on the paintings. The younger crowd are still establishing careers and can’t spend as much on a painting.” I think they need someone to explain who spends money.

 

“I can see your point, but truthfully, I would rather sell 20 paintings at five hundred to a thousand a week then one painting for ten thousand in a month. It keeps people coming in to look at the new art on the walls. When we were removing the paintings so the wall could be painted, Reed ask Sydney how long they had been there, you could see the difference in the color of the paint because the paintings never sold.” Elle tells me.

 

“This is a fine arts gallery, not the Big Q, it has a reputation to uphold.” I tell her.

 

“Fine art is still the main focus, but this is a business, and unless something is selling, it will become a closed gallery. By the way, Reed said to say hello to you if you came by. Now I would love to keep talking but a client just came in and he is one of the thirty somethings who likes to buy, so I must go. It was nice to meet you.” Elle says as she walks to the guy who came in.

 

I can’t believe they are turning the art gallery into a store. I liked to sit and read the paper and look at potential artists.

 

JUSTIN

 

We still haven’t heard from Michael. It’s almost seven and other than the two phone calls at three, nothing. Mel came over and stayed with us. I told her to spend time with the kids, Michael is helping her case by not showing up. We have to be at Deb’s tomorrow for lunch instead of dinner. Deb is working an overnight shift for another waiter.

 

Brian tried to convince Deb to retire.

 

“I tried that but QVC was getting really rich and Carl agreed I needed to work. It’s only three days a week and I enjoy it.” Deb told him.

 

Brian left it alone after that. He did pay off all her bills and Deb tried to give him money. Brian just took it to keep Deb happy and redeposited it into Carl’s account. Brian told Carl he needed to use the money to take Deb on trips. Brian also added a thousand to each deposit. Carl hasn’t figured it out yet, but they are going to Hawaii next month, so mission accomplished is Brian’s thinking.

 

I was worried that JR would need us to answer questions about what is going on. She told me she wasn’t worried, if her Dad got custody he would just ask us to watch her anyway. She reminds me of me a lot.

 

“Mel are you sure it was Michael’s jizz?” I asked Mel. She threw a pillow at me.

 

“You know why I didn’t ask you?” Mel asks me. I shook my head, I didn’t even know they thought about using me.

 

“I thought you were too young for us to ask. Now I wonder what I was thinking. Michael was being nice to Brian’s nephew and for some reason, that was why we made the decision to go with him. I should have realized that besides the bris and a few other times, he hardly acknowledged Gus was alive.” Mel tells me.

 

“If it makes you feel any better, JR is perfect and I would have said no. It was something I thought a lot about when Daphne offered to be a mother for me. I couldn’t share the kids with another parent. I wanted only Brian and I to raise any children we had together, without the crap you go through when there are others involved. I also think Linds was too caught up in trying to please both of you, and that’s what caused most of the problems you and Linds had.” I tell her.

 

“Well, now she is too caught up in you to be there for the family. I don’t know if I want to go back to the way it was. If Linds came and told me she was going to stop playing Stage Mom to your career, at least I would feel we are making progress, but so far all our sessions are about Brian ruining your life by making you stay in Pittsburgh. The psychiatrist told Linds we need to discuss what is causing all the problems we have. Linds tells him this is the problem. I can’t take care of her and the kids anymore. After I get through the mediation with Michael on Tuesday, I think Linds and I need to talk about making this separation permanent.” Mel tells me.

 

Brian came in and told Mel to not think, but do. She told him, “Yes, oh master Yoda.” Brian flipped her off.

 

MICHAEL

 

I gave up trying to figure out how to get JR from Brian and Justin without it becoming about me not taking care of my responsibilities. I called Hunter and asked if Ben was there.

 

“Yeah, what did you do Michael? Ben is really pissed.” Hunter asked me.

 

“He’s just being a drama queen, don’t worry about it. Can you see if he’ll talk to me?” I ask Hunter.

 

“He told me before I answered to tell you he’ll call you when he wants to talk to you.’ Hunter tells me.

 

“Tell him I need him to call me before Tuesday.” I tell Hunter. We talked a little more about college and the job he been doing to afford a place of his own.

 

I finally decide to call Justin again. He answered but didn’t even let me talk, he talked like he had what he wanted to say all ready.

 

“Good Evening Michael. I wanted to be able to say Good Morning to you this morning or even Good Afternoon, but it would have taken you calling or showing up for me to do that. If you're calling to talk to your daughter, she is actually asleep, because waiting till nine at night to hear from her father was a little hard on your five-year-old after a long day of playing with Mel. If you’re calling to give an excuse, save it, because at 3pm, we might have listened, at 9pm we don’t give a shit. Be at your mother’s house for lunch tomorrow if you want to spend any time with your daughter, or don’t, I could care less. Later.” The fucker hung up.

Chapter 11 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian decided we weren’t going to lunch at Deb’s. He told Mel he wasn’t interested in the Mikey show. I think he just didn’t want his kids around Michael anymore. I was fine with it. I told him we could take Deb and Carl to dinner sometime this week. We told Mel we’d keep Gus, and Brian would take him to school in the morning.

 

The girls were in full run mode, but lucky for me, Gus likes to chase them around. I was cooking breakfast and thrilled that we had a day to ourselves. We don’t get them often lately with everyone around the house. Victoria came screaming that Gus was trying to get her, and Gus was running into the room, Beth behind him giggling. It is so rare to be able to just be a family. Brian silenced all the phones in the house. He told me if anyone came to the door they weren’t getting in.

 

Monday morning came too soon. Brian brought the girls and put them into bed with me and left to take Gus to school. I was snuggling with my babies, trying to decide what we were going to do today. We always meet Brian for lunch, but today he wanted to have lunch at the loft. Brian made the decision after we made love last night. We were going to leave the crazy twosome out of our lives. I think he is being optimistic. Michael will never leave him alone for long.

 

I got the girls and I ready to go and as we were leaving the house Mel calls and tells me she needs to see me. I told her I was going to the loft, Brian wanted to have a family lunch together.

 

“Justin, do you guys normally go to the loft for lunch?” Mel asked me.

 

“No, the diner. Why?” I ask her.

 

“I need to show you and Brian the investigators report. It has some surprises in it.” Mel tells me.

 

“I’ll call Brian, he was just catching up on some reports. Do you want to meet me at Kinnetik?” I ask her.

 

“That would probably be good, you might want to leave the girls with someone. Brian isn’t going to be thrilled with this report.” Mel tells me.

 

“Mel, tell me what's in it then. I can usually tell you how Brian is going to react to anything.” I tell her. She has me really worried about this.

 

“Michael has been staying at the loft when you guys are working or at your house,” Mel tells me.

 

“Let me call Blake to take the girls, my Mom is busy today,” I tell her.

 

I called Blake and asked if he could watch the girls for a couple of hours. He told me to bring them over and was waiting for us when we got there. I gave him a brief explanation of what was going on. He wished me luck on keeping the volcano from erupting and told me not to worry about getting the girls. I left to go to Kinnetik even though I really wanted to go to the loft and kill the Oreo eating asshole. I decided that maybe Ben needed to hear what his hubby had been up to lately. I called and told him to meet me at Brian’s office. I walked in and was told by Cynthia that Mel was already here. I hurried into Brian’s office. Ted was sitting in a chair, he looked like he would rather be anywhere but here.

 

“Justin, do you want to explain why we are having a party in my office?” Brian asked me.

 

“I’ll let Mel tell you, but we have one more person coming before the fireworks start.” I tell him. Ben walked in to see why he was summoned.

 

“Is JR okay?” Ben asks Mel.

 

“JR is fine, she’s at school. Michael, for some reason, didn’t bother to get JR the whole weekend. I took her to Deb’s for lunch yesterday and he didn’t show. That isn’t the reason I wanted to talk to Brian and Justin. My lawyer asked his investigator for a report this morning. I only hired one a week ago. I don’t even know how to say this to you, Brian.” Mel tells Brian.

 

“In plain English, and without the pauses, so I can get back to work, would be nice,” Brian tells her sarcastically.

 

“Okay, Asshole. Apparently, you have a squatter at the loft. The investigator followed Michael for three days and he seems to go to the loft and stay there half the morning. He left his assistant to open and close the shop on those days, he was followed by my investigator. The investigator told us he leaves the loft about twenty minutes before Justin arrives with the kids. He couldn’t tell us what Michael is doing in the loft because once Michael is in a building, the investigator can’t follow him.” Mel tells us.

 

Ben stands up, thanks Mel, and walks out of the office without another word. The rest of us turn to see how Brian is doing.

 

“How did he get the key? The code is probably from watching me put it in when he follows me in, but the key?” Brian asks us.

 

“I don’t know,” Mel tells him.

 

Brian tells Mel he needs a copy of the report and asks if Michael is there now. Mel tells him the investigator followed him there this morning but left to give his report to Mel’s lawyer. Brian thanks her for letting him know.

 

After Mel and Ted walk out, I sit on the sofa and wait. Brian tells me we need to go to the police station. I told him we need to know he’s there first. We drive to the back of the building and park. Brian told me he was going to check and would be back. When he got back he drove to the police station and walked into Carl’s office.

 

“Brian, everything okay?” Carl asks him.

 

“Not really. Michael has taken up squatting in the loft when Justin and I are not there. He’s there now, I walked in and he was napping on the sofa. I had the code and the key changed a few years ago and never gave Michael a new copy of the key. I have no idea where he got it.” Brian tells Carl.

 

“Do you want him arrested for trespassing?” Carl asks Brian.

 

“No, but I want him out and I’ll change the key and the code today. Can I get a restraining order?” Brian isn’t playing anymore.

 

“A temporary one. A judge will have to give you a permanent one.” Carl tells Brian.

 

Brian told Carl the temporary one will do for now. Carl sent two officers with us.

 

MICHAEL

 

This weekend was a bust all the way around. Ben is still mad and won’t come home. I thought we were having dinner at Ma’s yesterday. I got to her house and woke her up. She told me it was lunch, not dinner. I remembered Justin saying that, but thought he was too busy giving me a speech and got it mixed up. Mel was hostile and told me she wasn’t going to listen to any more excuses from me.

 

I told her that since she wouldn’t let me see JR that I wanted my daughter next weekend. She told me to tell my lawyer to write that down because I might need a reminder. I hung up on her.

 

I’m meeting with my lawyer after lunch today. He wanted to go over what to expect tomorrow. With nothing else to do, I went to the loft.

 

I couldn’t tell Ben why I did the E thing. The only time Brian ever really kissed me was when he would give me a hit. In a way, when Ben and I did the E kiss, I felt like Brian was there with us. I always thought that Brian and I would be two old queens living together someday. I watched all the men pass in and out of his life, and I could believe that he was waiting until he was ready so he could offer me what I wanted. Then Justin stood under the damn lamp post and Brian kept him around.

 

When I met Ben, I wanted to have someone to point at and say ‘there’s my Justin’. I wanted to watch Brian get jealous that I found someone. Brian never got jealous. He was worried about the HIV, but other than that didn’t really care. When I told him about Justin cheating, it was because I felt vindicated. Justin wasn’t so perfect. It’s like no matter what I do Justin comes out better. Ben is a college professor, hot and caring, Justin was a college kid, yet people thought Justin walked on water. My mother even acted like Ben wasn’t good enough, but Sunshine could break my best friend’s heart and Ma was mad at me for telling Justin to leave us alone.

 

I came in and snacked on the Oreos and drank all the milk, just because it would inconvenience Justin. I was watching Dirty Dancing and fell asleep.

 

I was having the best dream. Everyone was on my side and Brian was kicking Justin and his kids out of the house and asking me to move in. Then Brian was calling my name and I was trying to reach him. I look at Justin and he says something about getting my oreo eating ass out of his house. I was going to say something, then I woke up.

 

“Mr. Novotny you need to get up and get dressed.” I looked at the officer and had to think about where I was. I look over to see Brian walking around the loft with another police officer. If Brian got robbed again that would suck. I was about to ask when I realize I was in the loft.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin keeps saying something about Oreos and I told him I’d buy him a case if he would focus on the real issue. Justin actually looked offended. We got to the loft and I let the officers in. Michael is only wearing his boxers, and lying on the couch still asleep. When we were here earlier, I walked in and saw him asleep. I left and decided to let the police department do the work.

 

I shook Michael to wake him up and he keeps on sleeping. One of the officers told me to walk around the loft and see if anything was missing. Justin said he wanted Michael’s Oreo eating ass out. I told Justin to focus. The other officer got Michael to wake up. Michael was looking around like he was lost. He sat there in a stupor for a couple of minutes, then started to dress. Justin grabbed a can of Lysol and started spraying the sofa. Michael got a mouth full and was hacking. The officer in the living room asked Justin to stop.

 

“Sir, can you explain why you’re here?” The officer asked Michael.

 

“It’s my best friend’s place. I was just waiting for Brian.” Michael tells him.

 

“Mr Taylor and Mr Kinney stated you were not invited and weren’t given permission to be here. I need to remove you from the building and bring you into the station.” He tells Michael.

 

“Brian, tell them it’s a mistake,” Michael demanded.

 

“Please remove him from my apartment and my sight,” I told the officer.

 

Michael was escorted out, screaming the whole way. I called and told a locksmith to be here this afternoon. I called the security company and changed the code. I asked Justin to get the girls and meet me for lunch at the deli next to Kinnetik.

 

Carl told me Michael was given a copy of the restraining order and left the station intent on talking to me. Carl told Michael if he showed up at Kinnetik, he would go to jail. I called and told Cynthia and Ted if Michael got in the building to tell the security guards to find new jobs. I also asked Cynthia to send someone out and buy fucking Oreos in every shape, color, and size.

 

Deb called and asked me if Michael destroyed anything. I told her no but I was going to need new furniture at the loft. She told me to have it fucking cleaned and send her idiot son the bill. I kind of like the idea.

 

“Linds is next, Justin. It’s time to stop playing games with either of them. If she shows up and starts harassing you, shut her down. However you have to. I want us to be able to have a lot more days like Sunday. It was about us, not the rest of the world.” I tell him.

 

 

Chapter 12 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

I was still trying to figure out why Brian didn’t have Michael arrested for trespassing. Michael would have had to explain that to the lawyer he hired.

 

“A restraining order keeps him away from anyplace we are, a trespassing charge only covers the loft. Mel has a strong case without the arrest. Truthfully, I was more worried about us.” Brian tells me.

 

I get that, Mel told me with the investigator's report and the restraining order, it was enough. I wanted Michael in jail. Brian said that would happen because Michael would be dumb enough to violate it in public.

 

I still told him it was stupid, we could have done both.

 

“Stupid is standing there with two cops in the loft, talking about Oreos,” Brian tells me.

 

“Brian, Oreos are the only junk food the girls will eat with me. They are always eating everything with you. I know it sounds like such a small thing, but it’s our thing.” I tell him. “I know the girls love us both, but it was my bond to the girls. Gus and I eat the same kinds of foods and I was his Jus since he started talking. I finally found something the girls and I had in common. Victoria and Beth tend to watch you for their cues on everything. One day I was eating an Oreo and the girls came over and we sat together, it sounds stupid but it gave me a happy moment all my own.” I tell Brian, hoping he’ll understand.

 

“As for why this is such a big deal to me. I think because not only did Michael violate the first home we had together, but then he took it one step further and took my bond to my daughters. I think I need to stop making such a fuss over the damn cookies.” I tell him.

 

Brian told me it made sense to be mad. It was about our family not about a cookie. I had to go get Gus, JR, and the girls. Brian told me to go home and Mel could come to our house tonight. She was going to need a friend before tomorrow.

 

I picked up Gus and JR first and then went to Blake’s to get the girls. I was still a little bummed, but I let it go. We were parking at home when I noticed a delivery van out front. The guy told me he had a several boxes to deliver. I got the kids in the house and let him follow with his dolly of boxes. When he left, there were ten boxes, all addressed to me. I opened the first one and started laughing. There was a note on the top that read, “It wasn’t stupid, it was sweet. Love, Your Husband.” The boxes were full of Oreos. I love my husband.

 

MICHAEL

 

I tried to tell the cops it’s not trespassing if I have a key. They told me it is if you aren’t invited. I waited till we got to the station and told them I wanted to talk to Carl.

 

“Carl can you tell your officers this is a mistake.” I can’t believe Brian is acting like an asshole.

 

“Michael you went into Brian and Justin’s loft without permission, and used a key we don’t even know how you got.” Carl tells me.

 

“I took Ted’s and made a copy. Brian hadn’t given me one.” I tell him. It’s not like it’s a big deal.

 

“Do you think that could be because Brian didn’t want you to have a copy?” Carl is being sarcastic.

 

“No, I think it’s because Justin was being a dick.” I sneer back.

 

“Well Michael, Brian is the one who asked me to give you this.” Carl hands me a paper.

 

I looked at the paper Carl gives me, and it’s a restraining order. I read it and it said that I couldn’t have any contact with Brian or Justin. Justin, I could live with, I don’t care about him. Brian is supposed to be my best friend. I have to be able to contact him.

 

“I need to talk to Brian, he didn’t mean to do this.” I tell Carl.

 

“Michael if you go anywhere near them, you WILL BE arrested. Brian was nice enough not to put you in jail today. Don’t think he isn’t going to follow through if you violate this.” Carl tells me.

 

I tell him thanks for nothing and leave. I have to get to the lawyer’s office. Brian and I will talk about this later. I was waiting, it was already past the time I was supposed to have an appointment and I was getting irritated with the wait. I finally get called in.

 

“Good Afternoon, Mr Novotny. Let's sit down and discuss what to expect in the mediation hearing.” Ron tells me.

 

“I’ve been through this before, when JR was still a baby. I know it’s just the lawyers talking to the mediator and trying to assassinate your character.” I tell him.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about the first hearing?” Ron asks me.

 

“It was five years ago and Linds hired this asshole who made me sound like a deviant.” I tell him.

 

“It doesn’t matter when it happened. I need the information so we don’t end up hitting the same roadblocks from the first case.” He tells me.

 

“I got visitation and we all made up afterwards. Mel and Linds moved to Canada a couple of months later, so we just kept the visitation open.” I tell him.

 

“Do you have a copy of the visitation agreement? When Mel wanted to move, was there a written agreement from you to let them move JR out of the country?” He seems kind of agitated.

 

“I put the custody agreement with the papers I gave your assistant. I agreed to let them go because at the time we were concerned about the bomb someone set off at Babylon. I signed a paper saying I agreed to let JR move with them.” I tell him.

 

Ron opens up a file and starts to read the custody agreement. He was looking through all the papers I brought.

 

“Do you have a copy of the paper you signed, saying JR could move?” He asks me.

 

“I didn’t get a copy of it.” I tell him.

 

“You need to get a copy of it. It should have been in the papers you brought. Did you set an amount on the child support you paid to Mel.” Ron asks me.

 

“I don’t pay child support. Mel makes more than enough to support JR. My shop does okay, but not enough to help her.” I tell him.

 

“Were you paying her anything?” He asked me.

 

“No. Why does it even matter? She never asked for it. Mel makes a lot more now.” I don't know why Ron is acting like it’s a big deal.

 

“It matters because you want Mel to pay child support. Mr Novotny, I have asked you to make time to see me for the last few weeks so we could discuss everything, and you waited till today to tell me facts that can hurt your case. I also need the letters I asked for from your friends and relatives. The ones I asked you to get, giving you a glowing review on your parenting skills, do you have them?” Ron acts like it’s easy to get it done.

 

“No, I haven’t been able to get them to do it yet.” I tell him.

 

“Mr Novotny, these were not things you could take your time with. We are going into a hearing and I am just hearing that you sued for custody before. That you haven’t paid support for your five year old daughter, and that no one would write you a letter stating that you’re a good father. I gave you a written list I needed from you two weeks ago. At this point, I just hope Melanie doesn’t have anything damaging to your case. Is there anything you haven’t told me?” He asks me.

 

I told him no. I didn’t think the restraining order would be mentioned since it just happened. He asked me if it went to a formal hearing, would I be able to get people to testify for me. I told him the mediation shouldn’t be hard to win. I left his office. He is overreacting. I think the mediator hearing about Linds leaving the kids at school more than once should be enough.

 

BEN

 

I walk out of Brian’s office and go home. I want all my things out of the house. Hunter and I are going to share his apartment so he can work less. I called Jen and asked about selling the house. She told me I would need a walk through, so they could price it and give us advice on what we needed to do. I told her I would call her, when I could set a time. I really only have books, clothes, and a few things that I need to take now.

 

Michael and I will need to talk about a divorce and selling the house. Other than that, our life together should be easily dissolved. I was so angry when Mel told us about Michael’s field trips. I accepted Brian in our lives and put up with all Michael’s dramatics about Brian not being a good friend. It was more than anyone else would have done. After packing, I walk out the door and close it, wondering why I stayed so long.

 

LINDS

 

I tried to call Mel a couple of times, but she isn’t answering. Lynette told me to stop chasing after Mel and start looking for a husband or a job. I went to the house and no one was home. I was going to offer to start looking after the kids, so Justin could drop them off. It should please Mel that I was willing to help.

 

I put my bag away and tried to find something to do. I read online about Justin’s upcoming show. It didn’t give a lot of information on the art he was planning on showing. I decided to call Peter and tell him that he needs to entice people to want to come to the gallery. Peter’s secretary told me that she was authorized to send me a press release, but that Peter was a busy man and didn’t have time to talk to me. I told her that Justin wouldn’t be thrilled that Peter didn’t take the time to talk to me. She told me that she could leave a message but that was all. I told her he needs to contact me right away.

 

Mel keeps asking me why I won’t leave Justin alone. Justin is going to have the career I dreamed of. I want for him and I to travel together. I want to meet the famous artists he meets. I used to think if I ever wanted a husband it would be someone like Brian. Now I realize Brian is never going to travel in the circles Justin will. I saw a picture of Justin at the Louvre. He was talking to an ambassador and  standing in front of the Mona Lisa. I wanted to be the one next to him, I wanted the introduction to these people. I was raised to mingle with the people Justin is meeting.

 

I know that Justin and I will never be a couple, though I wouldn’t have opposed it. If he depended on me to guide him, I would be able to mingle with these people. Sam offered me the chance to see the world and I turned him down. I knew Sam wasn’t going to be accepted in the circles I wanted to mingle in. He is too crass and treats women like objects, so I told him no. I sometimes wonder if I should have said yes.

 

BRIAN

 

I sent Justin a present because I felt like an ass, and because I love his reasoning. I called my lawyer, Nick, because I wanted to make sure that the restraining order covered all the property I own. I brought up Linds and the crazy shit she’s been doing and asked if we should get a restraining order for her.

 

Linds thinks I don’t know she has been at the gallery and calling Peter. I told him about the things she has been doing. He told me that it could cause problems with Gus. It wasn’t the answer I was looking for. He told me until she does something to harm Justin, a judge wouldn’t uphold a restraining order. He then asked when I stopped telling people to go fuck themselves. I told him to go fuck himself. We both laughed at that; he said to tell her she can’t come over without an invitation, and be sure to do it in front of witnesses. I told him I would handle Linds, I just wanted some peace from her and her advice. Nick said slam the door, hang up the phone, and ignore any conversations she tries to start.

 

I don’t want to make things harder on Gus. Gus told us Linds is doing drive-by visits at Mel’s house. I asked what he meant by that. He tells me his mother shows up on the porch, hangs out for thirty minutes and leaves. Kind of like a drive thru. I wasn’t amused by the joke. I asked Mel and she told me that was all the time Linds seems to have.

 

I am going to go home and see my children and probably get some amazing sex for ten cases of Oreos. I need to stop worrying about the petulant twosome as Deb calls them.



Chapter 13 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

Ron told me to meet him thirty minutes early outside the room where the mediation was going to be held. He wanted me to get any paperwork I could find. I got home to discover some of Ben’s stuff missing. I looked through the house and it looks like he took things he needs for school. I tried calling him, I wanted him to be here with me today. I called Hunter and he told me he was at work and he had no idea what Ben was doing.

 

I looked through the shoe box I threw papers in. I didn’t find anything about the custody but found pictures of Brian and me when we were still in high school. I was still mad about the restraining order but if I give him a day or two, he should calm down.

 

I was running ten minutes late, I should have gone to bed earlier. Ron wasn’t happy with me.

 

“Mr Novotny, I asked you to be here ten minutes ago. We are severely limited on time already. Were you able to get a copy of the agreement with Ms. Marcus?” He asks me.

 

“I looked but I’m sure I didn’t get a copy. It shouldn’t matter, this is about Mel not making sure the JR was supervised.” I tell him.

 

“Mr Novotny, we have to prove she knowingly left JR without care. Ms Peterson is the one guilty of not being at the school to pick your daughter up.” He tells me.

 

“Well, they’re the custodial parents right?” I snap at him.

 

“Ms Marcus is the custodial parent. Ms Peterson was a caretaker in this situation. Is your husband going to be here?” Ron tells me.

 

I told Ron that Ben couldn’t get out of a meeting. Ron told me that I should have stressed to Ben that this was important. He tells me that if there are going to be any surprises, he needs to know now. I told him to just do his job.

 

MEL

 

My lawyer, Gabe, told me he would meet me in the room. We had the case ready by Saturday morning. He told me Michael’s latest stunt is just the icing on the cake. I wasn’t even nervous about this mediation. I remember the first one and I spent so much time worrying Michael would win. This time it seems like a process we have to go through to set terms.

 

Michael and Ron walk in together.

 

“Your lawyer running late Mel?” Michael smirks at me.

 

“I’m right behind you Mr Novotny,” Gabe tells him. Gabe comes over and sits down.

 

“You hired the bloodsucker, Mel. Afraid of me?” Michael sneers at me.

 

“Actually Mr Novotny, Mel came to me since I’m familiar with this case,” Gabe tells Michael.

 

Michael’s lawyer tells him to sit down and let him do his JOB. Ron has apparently been dealing with Michael too long. The mediator came in and introduced herself to the lawyers and us.

 

“I’m Nancy Johnson, and this is an informal hearing. We need to determine if the two of you can come to a compromise. I want to hear why we are once again trying to restructure the custody agreement. Please stick to facts and let’s try to make this a constructive session.” She tells us. Ron, why don’t you begin. Why does Mr Novotny want to change primary custody?

 

“Mr Novotny, as a concerned father, feels that Ms Marcus and Ms Peterson are not providing proper supervision of Jenny Rebecca Novotny-Marcus. On four occasions, Jenny Rebecca was left at the school after the hours of pick-up by Ms Peterson. The fourth occasion was for over an hour. The school ended up contacting the parents after no one being there an hour after the pickup time. Ms Peterson was unable to be contacted. Ms Marcus was finally found after the fathers of Gus Peterson-Marcus already arrived at the school. The children have had excessive unexcused tardies, and the school Principal was extremely concerned and wanted the parents to meet with him before allowing the children to go home. Ms Marcus works long hours and has left the children in the care of Gus Peterson-Marcus’s father Brian Kinney and his partner Justin Taylor. Mr Novotny feels if given primary custody he could provide Jenny Rebecca with better supervision.” Ron tells her.

 

“Gabe, your statement,” Nancy tells Gabe.

 

“We don’t dispute the fact that due to Ms Peterson, the children were not being properly supervised. Ms Peterson is, in essence, the at-home caregiver to Jenny Rebecca. Ms Marcus is the provider in the family and has had to depend on Ms Peterson to take care of Jenny Rebecca. On the fourth occasion, Ms Marcus was in court and was unable to answer the phone. Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor, upon being called were able to get to the school within ten minutes. Ms Marcus, who has at times depended on Mr Taylor and Mr Kinney to care for Jenny Rebecca, called Mr Kinney as soon as she was out of court. She proceeded to the school to speak to the principal. Mr Taylor and Ms Marcus worked out with the principal an appropriate plan to keep the incidents from happening again. I would like to add that Mr Novotny was called at that time and the response was that he was working and couldn’t come to the school.” Gabe tells her.

 

I see Ron looking at Michael. Guess Michael forgot to mention that to him.

 

“Is there anything you would like to add Ron?” She asks. Ron tells her not at this time. She asks Gabe the same.

 

“Yes, I would like to introduce some facts to aid in making a decision on Mr Novotny’s appropriateness in having primary custody,” Gabe tells Nancy. Nancy tells him to proceed.

 

“On the day in question, Mr Novotny did make an appearance at Ms Marcus’s house. He seemed to more concerned with arguing with Ms Peterson then helping to resolve the problem with the Jenny Rebecca. Mr Novotny and Ms Peterson proceeded to fight over Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor. The argument was about, and please excuse the language, Mr Novotny wanting to suck Mr Kinney’s penis and Ms Peterson wanting to suck Mr Taylor’s penis. Mr Kinney was able to stop the argument. Mr Taylor and Ms Marcus worked out a nanny situation with Mr Taylor picking up the children and caring for them until Ms Marcus could get the children. Ms Peterson at the moment is not involved. The principal has provided a letter to commend them for resolving the situation.” Gabe stops for a minute.

 

“As to Mr Novotny’s ability to show parental concern for Jenny Rebecca. Mr Novotny has left Jenny Rebecca in the care of Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor, only visiting her three times for less than fifteen minutes when Jenny Rebecca has been in their care. He has had three weekend visitations, where instead of planning to spend time with Jenny Rebecca, he tried to take her home to Ms Marcus once, and left her with Mr Taylor on all three occasions, picking her up on Saturday, instead of Friday. Last weekend was also his weekend and he called Mr Kinney and told him he had plans Friday and was unable to get Jenny Rebecca. Then on Friday, without letting Ms Marcus know, he checked Jenny Rebecca out of school for a visit, resulting in an unexcused early release. Mr Taylor got to the school and had to search for Jenny Rebecca until the school secretary informed Mr Taylor of the early release. Mr Taylor contacted Ms Marcus to find out if the plans had changed and he wasn’t informed. Ms Marcus contacted Mr Novotny to be informed that Mr Taylor needed to come to pick up Jenny Rebecca. Mr Kinney decided that he would go to Mr. Novotny’s house. Mr Novotny let Mr Kinney take Jenny Rebecca home with him. Arrangements were made for Jenny Rebecca to be picked up by Mr Novotny at ten the next morning. Mr Novotny didn’t show or call till three in the afternoon and was told to call Ms Marcus to arrange for him to get Jenny Rebecca. Mr Novotny waited till nine pm and contacted Mr Taylor and was told Jenny Rebecca was asleep and he could go to his mother’s home at lunch on Sunday if he wanted to see Jenny Rebecca. Ms Marcus stayed through lunch and an hour after, once again Mr Novotny didn’t show.” Gabe looks down at his notes.

 

“One of my investigators followed Mr Novotny on Friday night, where he proceeded to drink and is suspected of buying Ecstasy for personal use. He and Ben Bruckner stayed out till four in the morning and then left to go home. Mr Novotny drove home drunk. I have a list of the drinks that were consumed during the evening from the bartenders who served Mr Novotny.  Mr Novotny was also followed to Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor’s loft in Pittsburg and was staying in the loft without permission. Yesterday afternoon, my investigator reported that he was illegally in the loft. Mr Kinney, upon finding out, had the police remove Mr Novotny from the loft and served him with a restraining order. Mr Novotny is consequently not allowed within five hundred yards of the Taylor-Kinney family. Mr Kinney was kind enough not to have him arrested for trespassing. I have the investigator's report and the investigator is outside the room if we need to call him. I feel with this information Mr Novotny should only be allowed supervised visitation until the matter with Mr Kinney is resolved.” Gabe then tells Nancy he is finished.

 

Nancy read through the report and asked if Ms Peterson is supervising the children alone. I told her that we are in counseling but I could not in good conscience allow her to take the children alone.

 

Nancy asked Michael if he had anything to say about the statements Gabe made.

 

“They make it impossible for me to spend time with JR. I can’t pick Jenny Rebecca up from them and Mel is just as responsible to make sure the kids are being cared for.” Michael tells her.

 

“Mr Novotny, how much time have you spent with your daughter, since the school incident?” Nancy asked Michael.

 

“I spent any time I could.” Michael is such a liar.

 

“Nancy, I have a schedule with the time he has spent with her, which includes the fact that he missed his visitation,” Gabe tells Nancy. He passes her a copy of the schedule the investigator made and the ones Justin and I wrote.

 

“This isn’t about my visits, it’s about Mel not arranging proper supervision for Jenny Rebecca,” Michael tells Nancy.

 

“Mr Novotny, from what I see Ms Marcus worked to resolve the situation. Reading the investigator’s report I worry about your devotion to Jenny Rebecca. It seems you were escorted from the Tremont street loft at midnight recently after causing a scene and then for unlawful entry to the same building. If this were to go to a courtroom Mr Novotny, you will most likely lose custody of your daughter. It also concerns me that you are not providing for any of Jenny Rebecca’s expenses but I see where you are asking for child support from Ms Marcus. I’m going to grant Ms Marcus’s petition that your visits are supervised until you seek help.” Nancy signs the paperwork and it’s done.

 

Michael’s lawyer doesn’t look thrilled at the moment.

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe they think Mel is a better parent than me. Ron tells me I can take this to court if I want. He advised against it though because he said there isn’t a lawyer who could win this case. I told him that if he had done his job, none of this would have happened.

 

“Mr Novotny, my job is to present the facts. None of which you provided. I suggest you drop this because you could and most likely will lose your daughter completely if this goes to court.” Ron tells me and walks away.

 

 

Chapter 14 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

Mel called to tell me Michael was denied custody, and for now will only get supervised visitation. He went into the mediation without any preparation. It doesn’t surprise either of us.

 

Mel got a surprise when she returned home. Linds decided to move back in. Mel wanted to know if we could keep Gus and JR, so she could handle Linds.

 

“I don’t want the kids to see me kick her out,” Mel tells me.

 

“Linds had to see this coming,” I tell her. I would if I was her.

 

“Linds seems to think everything is fine. I came home this morning to pick up some paperwork, she was sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee and saying we need to work things out. I told her I would talk to her after the hearing.” Mel tells me.

 

I tell her the kids can stay with us. Linds can’t really think that after everything she could come home and act like everything is great. Then again, this is Linds we’re talking about. Mel thanks me for helping out again.

 

I wish I could live in the worlds of Linds and Michael. Michael probably thinks that Brian will let him have a pass on the restraining order. I told Brian that if he tells Michael he doesn’t like the color yellow on him, Michael hears that Brian wants him to wear blue. If he tells Michael, “I want to spend time with my family”, Michael hears “Justin is demanding my time.” Michael rewrites the dialogue to fit what he wants to hear. Linds, on the other hand, hears you but tries to convince you she knows better. She called Peter’s office yesterday and told the secretary I would be mad that Peter didn’t want to talk to her. I’m so glad I’m gay, women are scary creatures.

 

MEL

 

I went to Brian’s office, to tell him the verdict and to apologize for once again having to ask Justin and him to take care of the kids.

 

“Mel, it’s fine. I enjoy having Gus and JR around. Granted, if you asked me ten years ago, I’d have told you to put the crack pipe down.” Brian tells me with a smirk.

 

“I don’t think Linds is going to leave without a fight,” I tell him.

 

“Don’t let her talk you into anything. Linds learned ‘manipulation 101’ from the womb. I told Justin to shut her down if she tries to reason with him. You need to do the same, Mel. She is going to try and make this all about you not trying to work things out.” Brian tells me.

 

“It is me not wanting to work it out anymore. The last straw for me was that she is practically stalking Justin like a crazy fan. The counselor tried to tell her we needed to talk about problems in our relationship and it’s like Linds thinks if Justin would just give in to her, we would be fine. Before it was about you, now she seems to think you’re the problem. I was okay with it truthfully, I wasn’t in fear of her leaving me for you anymore.” I tell him.

 

“Mel, I am gay, have been gay all my life. Yes, Linds and I played hide the hot dog one night, but it was about getting off, not being in love. You also need to understand Linds and Michael have always had unrealistic perceptions of their importance in my life. At one time, I needed people who would be there. I didn’t care that I was leading either of them on. Yes, it was selfish, but then so was I. I treated everyone like shit most of the time, you included. I probably would have kept going the same way if Justin hadn’t shown up.” Brian tells me.

 

“It’s different this time Brian. Linds is acting as though Justin is married to her. I told her in one session the only people Justin needs to please are you and your children. Linds said that Justin should want her and only her to be there for him.” I tell him. I get up to go home to face the dragon.

 

“Mel, if you want me to be there, or even Ted, we can. I don’t think we would be much help, but we could be moral support.” Brian offers.

 

“It’s time to put on the big girl pants I took off on the way to Canada, but thank you for the offer.” I leave his office and start the drive to the house.

 

It’s still strange that Brian and I get along now. I think it’s because Linds doesn’t have rose-colored glasses where Brian is concerned and we don’t have anything to fight about anymore. When Linds stopped catering to Brian and started running after Justin, I ignored it. I even tried to make excuses to Justin for it. Justin deserved better from me than excuses.

 

I parked in the driveway and sat in the car. I want us to be able to leave this relationship on good terms, we share children. I’m worried she is going to try and use Gus as a bargaining tool. We are both his legal parents and I don’t want to have to take this to court to keep Gus. Linds couldn’t win any more than Michael could, I just don’t want Gus to feel like he has to tell Linds he would rather stay with anybody but her. Gus told me he wanted to live with his dads or me. Linds shows up and it’s like she expects that spending thirty minutes asking about the kids day fulfills any obligation she has to them. It’s time to stop stalling. I enter the house and find Linds on the phone.

 

“Look, I have called you four times in the last two days and you can’t seem to do your job. When I tell you to have Peter call me, it means have him call me now, not when he decides to.” Linds tells the person on the phone. “I don’t care how busy you think he is, Justin is going to have his head if he doesn’t return my call. Justin depends on me to make sure Peter doesn’t screw up his career. No, I want him on the phone. If Peter doesn’t get on the phone immediately, tell him Justin is going to find a new agent. Hello... HELLO?” Linds is muttering that she is going to have to take over Justin’s career. I clear my throat, to get her attention. Linds looks up from the phone.

 

“Mel, can you believe this, Peter isn’t returning my calls. Justin and I need to sit down and talk about firing Peter. If Peter isn’t going to help Justin’s career, Justin needs to let me take over.” Linds is really in her own world.

 

“Linds we need to talk about our relationship. I think it’s time we make the separation permanent. We don’t want the same things anymore. It’s like we coexist with each other, but the reason we stayed together is that it was easier than admitting we made a mistake when we got back together.” I tell her.

 

“Mel, is Justin bringing the kids here this afternoon?” She asks like I never said a word.

 

“No. Justin is keeping Gus and JR, so we could talk,” I tell her.

 

“Justin needs to be able to work, not take care of the kids. Call him and tell him to bring them here. You’ll take care of all the kids tonight. I’ll go with Justin to his house so we can plan his show.” Linds needs help.

 

“Linds, since you weren’t listening, I’ll spell it out for you. I want you out of the house, immediately. We need to talk about dissolving our marriage.” I tell her.

 

“Look, I agree with you, but Justin needs me. Just get me the paperwork and I’ll sign. I guess I’ll have to call Justin since you won’t.” Linds grabs her phone.

 

I sit on the sofa and stare at her. Linds is pacing from the living room into the kitchen and back. She called Justin and I assume was sent to voicemail. She hung up and tried again.

 

“Mel, I need to go and take care of some things. I’ll talk to you later.” Linds walks out of the living room to the front door and leaves.

 

What the hell was that? I called Justin and told him Linds might be on her way to his house.

 

“Did it go okay?” He asks me.

 

“Justin, we need to talk. Linds didn’t even react to me asking her to leave. She just kept talking about you and her.” I tell him.

 

“What about me and her?” He asks me.

 

“When I got home, she was trying to talk to Peter. The secretary must have hung up the phone on Linds. She started talking about you and her firing Peter and working together on your show. She even told me I needed to get all the kids and take care of them so you two could work.” I tell him. Then I ask Justin if he wants to bring Gus and JR to me. Linds might show up and cause a scene at his house. Justin tells me he is going to ask Emmett to watch the kids because he needs to talk to Brian.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin calls me and tells me what the crazy lesbian is up to now. He is dropping the kids off with Emmett, so we can talk without worrying about little ears. Ted was sitting in the chair in front of my desk. I gave Ted the rundown on Linds. Ted has been out of the loop with Austin being born.

 

“Why is Linds so concerned about Justin? If this was about you, I could see it. She has always had an older sister relationship with Justin.” Ted is confused by the way Linds has been acting.

 

“At first it was her unwanted advice. She keeps trying to take over Justin’s life. She offered to mother Victoria and Beth.” We both snorted at that.

 

“I know Justin has told her to butt out, but maybe it’s time to look at this as stalking. I mean, between you and Justin, stalking might have been invented.” Ted tells me.

 

It’s something I should talk to Nick about at this point. Justin isn’t going to be harassed by Linds. When Justin told me Linds didn’t seem to care that her marriage was over, I knew it was because Mel no longer served a purpose to Linds.

 

“Brian, think about that singer Selena. The woman, Yolanda, was the president of her fan club and Selena considered her a friend. When Selena tried to fire her for embezzlement and eject Yolanda  from her life, she killed her.” Ted really thinks he’s helping.

 

“Hopefully Linds hasn’t gone full-on crazy, but thanks for the visual Ted,” I respond sarcastically.

 

“Yeah, I guess that wasn’t a great comparison. I don’t think Linds would kill Justin, but she could try to kidnap him or something... I think I’ll just shut up now.” Ted tells me. I thank him for all the helpful information and tell him to stop trying to help.

 

Cynthia tells me I have a visitor, and the woman of the hour is standing in my doorway. I ask Linds to have a seat, I would be right back. I followed Cynthia out the door and told her Justin is on his way here and to keep him away for now. Linds and I need to have a talk. I think I’ll make Ted stay. He owes me for the doom and gloom analogies he made me think about.

 

LINDS

 

I decided instead of going to Justin first, it was time Brian and I talk about my expectations, since I’ll have to take over for Peter. I drove to Kinnetik, and I decided to tell Brian it was time to let Justin go. He and Mel could raise Gus, while Justin and I are traveling. Justin can work in the loft in New York, it will give me time to make contacts. It will all work out.  





Chapter 15 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

TED

 

Brian leaves me in the office with Linds. I’ve been so busy getting used to being a father that I haven’t been listening to all the gossip. I knew Michael was trying to get custody of JR, and that Brian ended up getting a restraining order because Michael took my key and made a copy to get into the loft. I promised Brian, I didn’t know Michael took the key. I never used it, so I didn’t even notice it was missing. I remember Michael handing me my keys one day and saying I dropped them. I took them and walked off. I was at Woody’s with the gang and I remember Michael playing with my keys again, but I didn’t think anything of it at the time. Brian and I decided it must have been when Michael put the key back. I knew Mel and Linds were separated again, but didn’t know it was because Linds can’t seem to separate fact from fiction. She started talking and the more I listened, it was sounding like the train left the station and was headed for ‘the bitch is in crazy town.’

 

“Ted, you need to help me convince Brian that Justin and I would be better off in New York. Brian has been blocking me from helping Justin, and I know if you help me I can get Justin to listen. There are too many people distracting Justin from his work here. I think if Justin and I are living in the New York loft together, I'll be able to keep Brian away from us. Brian is keeping Justin from being able to work. If Brian is able to contact Justin, it will keep me from doing what Justin needs. I mean, Justin is blind to Brian’s manipulation, or as Brian calls it ‘love’. Look what Brian did, he married Justin to keep him from leaving. Then he convinces Justin they need to have kids. Justin would have stayed in New York if Brian hadn’t kept running after him. You know, I offered to move to New York to guide Justin, but Brian interfered. Now Justin is going to feel guilty about having to leave those kids behind while he and I live together. I'll have to make Justin see after I get him to focus on his art, the sacrifice will be worth it. I mean, I can offer to have a baby for him, so he can still be a father. I’ll raise it and do what Brian didn’t; give Justin the time to achieve his dreams, to have him become the next Michelangelo. I'm sure you can see my point. Justin can still see the girls but I think for a while it would be better for Brian to raise them and allow Justin to become famous. Brian can ask the family to help him raise the girls. They’re still young enough, they won’t notice Justin isn’t there.” Linds says all of this without even realizing how crazy she sounds. Linds needs some help to get back to planet earth.

 

She is staring at me and I tell her I should discuss it with Brian alone. I am almost afraid to turn my back on her. How the hell did Mel not see Linds doesn’t have all her cylinders firing? I don't think I was far off with my analogies, although she makes that Yolanda woman look sane. Linds tells me to do my best to make sure Brian sees her point. I think Brian needs to see if there is a psychotherapist available for her and her alone. I smile at her and walk out of the office to go tell Brian to call the asylum and tell them they lost their patient.

 

Cynthia is standing by the closed conference room door.

 

“Where is Brian?” I ask her.

 

“In the conference room with Justin,” Cynthia tells me.

 

“I NEED to talk to him about the lunatic in his office,” I tell her.

 

“They heard the psycho talking. Justin tried to get into the office. Brian had to pick him up and carry him into the conference room to stop him.” Cynthia tells me.

 

“Brian should have let Justin deal with her,” I tell her.

 

“He probably would have, if you hadn't been talking about Linds killing or kidnapping Justin.” Cynthia is shaking her head at me.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin arrived as I was asking Cynthia to keep him out of my office. I told him to let me deal with Linds. He told me fine but he was going to be there, it was about him. I agreed if he didn’t talk to her at all. I told him to think of the conversation we had about Michael hearing only what he wanted to hear. Justin agreed to sit quietly while I explained to ‘I want to be Ms Justin Taylor’ that I had already filled that position. We got to the door and we hear Linds planning Justin’s life. The conversation I had with Ted earlier started to sound spot on, as she kept talking about her plans. I don’t want Justin near her.

 

“Justin, I don’t want you in the same room with her,” I whispered to him.

 

“Brian, it's not like I’ll be alone in there with her,” Justin whispered back.

 

“I don’t care, that is not a rational person in that office. Are you listening to her? She's fucking crazy.” I whispered.

 

“You're not stopping me, it's time for me to tell Linds to fuck off,” Justin tells me.

 

I did the only thing I could think of, I picked him up and hauled his ass into the conference room. Justin struggled. Cynthia, the smart woman she is, opened the conference room door and closed it behind us. Justin hadn’t said a word until the door closed.

 

“Really Brian? I mean it’s not like I’m a grown man. I wasn’t going to go in there and start yelling ‘all crazy bitches need to leave’.” Justin tells me.

 

“Justin, I don’t think it would matter if you did. Linds would probably stab me and try to take you. Maybe she would just kill you for rejecting her. Who knows what the hell she is capable of.” I have all these insane thoughts going through my head.

 

“Brian, get a grip. What is she going to stab you with, your pen? Oh I know, she’ll grab one of the boards on your desk and beat you to death with the foam core. How about she subdues me with the sofa cushion and puts me in a mind trance. Where the hell did you get these ideas from? Have you been reading comics with your ‘best friend’?” Justin is really a smart ass.

 

“Ted might have mentioned that singer Selena, and brought up the idea about kidnapping, but tell me it didn’t seem impossible when you heard her.” I know I sound crazy, but he’s my life.

 

“Brian, you could overpower her. I’m not exactly weak either.” He needs to understand.

 

“Justin, I can’t have you in the same room with someone who is a threat to us. I know you wouldn’t run off with her. All she has is her idiotic ideas, but you're my reason for staying alive. I’ve had to live through you almost being killed twice. I can’t live through anybody trying to hurt you again. I’m not saying I think she would hurt you. It's just that she isn’t acting rationally. At least talk to Peter about this situation, he has experience with people who fixate on someone. Will you at least agree to do that much before we talk to Linds?” I ask Justin.

 

Justin agrees to call Peter on the conference line. After we explain to Peter what is going on, Peter tells Justin that it’s time to let him do his job.

 

“Justin, have someone tell Linds that I’m coming to talk to her. I’ll bring a security expert with me. I know it seems over the top, but Brian is right, you're not dealing with someone who is rational. I’d rather err on the side of caution, it’s better than us finding out Brian was right. I can be there in a couple of hours, tops.” Peter tells Justin.

 

I can see Justin wants to argue about us making this bigger than it is, but he agrees. Peter tells us that it would be better if he talks to her at Kinnetik. Peter also tells Justin that he shouldn’t be there. Maybe we are all overreacting, but I tell Justin he needs to think about the girls.

 

I tell Ted to have one of the security guys tell Linds that Peter called and wants to meet with her. Ted tells me he’ll do it. I tell him to tell Linds three hours instead of two. Ted asks why. I tell him so I can meet with Peter first. Justin says we and I tell him no.

 

LINDS

 

I was waiting for Ted to bring Brian with him. It seemed to take forever, but I had the time. Last night I was going to try to work things out with Mel, but when she suggested we end our marriage, I realized that she was right. I wouldn’t be able to take care of Justin if I stayed with Mel. Now Justin and I can be, I mean work, together. I’ll miss Gus and JR but I can make time for them later. Once Justin and I are ready to settle down in one place, we can send for the kids. By then Brian will have moved on. Maybe Michael will have managed to get back on Brian’s good side without Justin around. Not that I care what happens to Michael.

 

Ted finally comes back into the office and tells me that Peter called and wants to meet with me. I was going to tell Ted to tell Peter it’s too late, he could have talked when I called. I think Justin and I could let Peter talk, but in the end, I’ll tell Peter he is fired to his face.

 

“When will he be here?” I ask Ted.

 

“He’s catching a flight here now and will be here in three hours. Peter wanted to meet here if that’s okay with you.” Ted tells me.

 

“I can make that work, but you might want to tell Peter it probably won’t save his job,” I tell Ted.

 

“Can you get Justin to be here?” I ask Ted.

 

“Justin is working at his studio and told me to tell you he can’t be disturbed right now.” Ted must have gotten through to Brian.

 

“I need to go change and I’ll be back here to talk to Peter. If he arrives before me tell Cynthia to make him comfortable for me.” I like this better, I’ll fire Peter and be able to tell Justin I took care of it. That will show Justin how indispensable I am to him.

 

JUSTIN

 

It was a low blow, Brian using the girls to keep me from telling Ms Plans to kiss my bubble butt. Brian is being overprotective. Linds is acting like a lunatic but I don’t think she has completely gone off the deep end. I wanted to stay and listen to what Peter was going to discuss with Linds. I begged and cajoled Brian into letting me stay. I finally just dropped to my knees and blew him. Brian was more than willing to agree since I stopped and told him I wouldn’t finish unless he let me stay.

 

Peter borrowed a friend’s jet to get here faster. We waited for Linds to leave before we left to meet with Peter. Peter was waiting with, I assume, the security expert. He wasn’t what I expected, Brian said I watch too many movies. The guy, Max, is Brian’s size, I kind of expected him to be bigger. Max and Peter got in the car with us and Peter tells us Max is worried.

 

“Most stalkers start out with small things. They start with being a helpful friend, they integrate themselves into your life and relationships. A stalker will constantly encourage behavior to reach their goals. Let’s start with your first interaction, Peter said you showed her your sketches and then showed them to Brian. She told Brian he was coming to the show, which in turn made you want to do it more. Normally it wouldn’t seem that big a deal, but it can also be a way to get you on her side. It’s the ‘see I got you what you wanted, Brian’s attention’. When you ran away to New York, Linds did what?” Max asks us.

 

“She showed up at my loft and tried to convince me to go after Justin. She told me I should have kept him from running away.” Brian tells Max.

 

“She wanted Justin back and at the time she barely knew him. Don’t take this the wrong way, but don’t you think it’s strange that she would encourage your relationship with a seventeen-year-old?” Max asked Brian.

 

“At the time, I thought it was her being a concerned friend. I wasn’t exactly the easiest person to get along with, and I made Justin’s life hell.” Brian tells Max.

 

“Justin, when was the next time you and Linds interacted,” Max asks me.

 

“I don’t remember much during the time before I was assaulted by Chris Hobbs, I remember her coming to the hospital and she encouraged me to go to PIFA instead of Dartmouth. I had a hard time controlling my hand and was going to quit school. She came to the diner I worked at and took me to meet another artist who was paralyzed but was able to still paint. It got me to explore other ways to be an artist.” I tell him.

 

“It could be just her being helpful, but it could also be her way of seeing herself as getting you where she wanted you to be. Was there ever a time she tried to make you choose her over other people?” Max asked me.

 

“Not really. I mean when she and Mel were separated, I visited Mel one afternoon and Linds showed up. I meant to call her, but I hadn’t. She was surprised I hadn’t called her and I told her I didn’t have her new number. She implied that I could have asked Brian. Then later we met so she could see some of my work for an art show at the gallery. She told me that she knew people chose sides when a relationship ends and she could understand if I chose Mel over her. She then said that it would hurt her if I did. I told her I couldn’t choose, she said that was why she and Mel loved me.” I tell him.

 

“Did you ever feel she was pushing your life in a direction you didn’t want to go? Did she offer to come with you? When you married Brian and had children was she trying to stop you? Did she try to insert herself back into your life?” Max tells us those are the kind of things he looks at. He said if we say yes to those questions it could be one of two things. She could just be a busy body or she wanted control of my life.

 

I told Max that unfortunately, I could say yes to all those questions. I told him Linds can be overbearing but it never seemed star stalker crazy, until today. Max told me stalkers are crazy no matter how long it takes for them to get to the dangerous part. Damn it, now I’m starting to believe Brian and Max.

 

BRIAN

 

Part of me wants to say it’s all in how you interpret a situation, but I think about the fact that Linds took that article and used it to get Justin to go to New York. I could say it was just concern that Justin needed to see where his art could take him. It’s just that, when Justin blew off the article, she ran to me. What if the entire time, Linds was becoming a deranged stalker?

 

 

Chapter 16 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

LINDS

 

I need to make sure to come at Peter and Brian from a position of power. Mel told me it’s about making sure people see you as the authority figure. I went back to the house and wanted to change into an outfit that showed I was someone who people should listen to. It took almost an hour to find an outfit that worked. I want to look perfect for this meeting. I wouldn’t be ready in time so I called Cynthia.

 

“Cynthia, I am supposed to be meeting with Justin’s agent Peter in an hour, could you let him know that it would be better to meet tomorrow. If he tells you he can’t, remind him his job is on the line.” I tell her.

 

“You want to meet him tomorrow?” Cynthia says. She needs to pay attention.

 

“Yes, I’ll be at Kinnetik at 9 am, tell him to be prompt. Also, could you contact Justin and tell him I’d like to see him tonight.” I tell her.

 

“I was informed that Justin isn’t going to be able to meet with anyone tonight. I’ll leave him your message.” Cynthia tells me.

 

“When you leave the message tell him it’s important we talk. You know what, I’ll just handle it. Cynthia, a little advice, learn to assert your authority, or you won’t get ahead in the world.” I tell her.

 

I tried to call Justin’s phone, it keeps going to voicemail. Brian is probably trying to convince Justin to stay. Brian better stay out of my way, I won’t let anyone stop me. Brian can have Pittsburgh and the losers he hangs out with. The only thing Brian ever did right was finding Justin. Michael is a whiny brat and Ted wouldn’t be anything if it wasn’t for Brian helping him. Emmett, although sweet, should have hung onto Drew. None of them will ever be more than nobodies from the Pitts.

 

BRIAN

 

We have been discussing how to deal with Linds when she gets here. Cynthia tells us Linds called and wants to meet in the morning. Max said that would give us time to talk and convince Justin this isn’t an overreaction. Justin kept telling Max if we looked at it from his perspective everyone is a stalker. Every few minutes Justin’s phone is ringing, it’s Linds.

 

“Justin it’s not just trying to form a relationship that makes someone a stalker, it’s when you are forcing yourself into someone's life. When told the person doesn’t want the stalker around, they keep showing up anyway and trying to make themselves useful.” Max tells him.

 

“If we go with that theory, I could be a deranged stalker. I did everything I could to be with Brian. I followed him, tried to interfere with his life, and even blackmailed someone to leave Brian alone.” Justin tells us. I look at him confused with the blackmailed part.

 

“Justin, who did you blackmail?” I ask him. Justin suddenly seems to realize he said something I didn’t know. “Justin answer me.”

 

“Fuck. Look it was Kip, okay. I couldn’t let his lie hurt you.” I tell Brian.

 

“You blackmailed Kip? What did you do?” I can’t believe I’m hearing this.

 

“Look, don’t get all shitty about this, it happened ten years ago. I hit on Kip and let him blow me, then I told him if he didn’t back out of the lawsuit, that my father would have him arrested because I was underage.” Justin and I need to talk about the way he doesn’t tell me things.

 

“Justin, when you blackmailed Kip, why didn’t you run to Brian and tell him?” Max asks Justin.

 

“Because, it wasn’t about credit, it was to protect Brian,” Justin tells him.

 

“THAT is the difference. You wanted to protect Brian. Linds would have made sure to get the credit for doing the deed,” Max tells Justin.

 

“Well, that would be Brian’s friend Michael too. I mean, he spends all his time trying to interfere with our life. We even had to get a restraining order against him. He trespassed into our loft and was staying there when no one was there. He is always reminding Brian that they're best friends. Michael would be someone to worry about if he was smart enough. He would kill me and hide my body.” Justin tells Max.

 

“Justin, Linds is an intelligent woman, it makes her more dangerous to you. She is past the stage where any reality but hers doesn't matter to her. Gus isn’t even a passing thought in her ‘Justin fantasies’. I want to say we’re the ones weaving a tale to make her crazy, but think about the conversation she had with Ted. She wants our daughters out of your life but is willing to have a kid for you. This isn’t even close to normal.” I tell him.

 

“I’ve been arguing with her for years and she hasn’t done anything. Why suddenly today have we gone to Defcon 1?” Justin is desperately trying to convince himself.

 

“It’s because she isn’t talking about a future you would even consider. You don’t want to leave Brian, fire Peter, or have children with her. Will she get violent? Who knows for sure. Will she listen to you when you tell her she needs to stop? I don’t think she will. I’ve been lucky with my client’s stalkers, most just wanted to believe the fantasy, but were able to deal with the fact it wasn’t real. Linds isn’t showing signs of stopping. She canceled this meeting, talking to Cynthia as if she was her boss.” Max tells him. “How many times has she called in the last hour?”

 

 

Justin slides the phone over to Max. Max tells Justin to retrieve the messages. He had fifteen. All in under an hour.

 

“Justin, sweety can you call me. It’s Linds.” Number one.

 

“Justin, I think we should talk. It’s Linds” Number two.

 

“Justin, I know you're busy but it’s important that you call me.” Number three.

 

“Justin, if Brian is trying to convince you to stay, tell him to call me.” Number four.

 

“Justin, you need to call me back as soon as you get this.” Number five.

 

“Justin you can’t ignore me. If you don’t call me back, I’ll come to you.” Number six.

 

“Justin, what the hell is the matter with you? I am working hard on our future and you’re ignoring me. If Brian is telling you to ignore me, don’t listen to him.” Number seven.

 

“Justin, I’m not playing around, fucking call me.” Number eight.

 

“Justin, I’m sorry for the last message, I’m just frustrated that I can’t get a hold of you. Call me so we can talk.” Number nine.

 

“Justin, why don’t you bring the kids to my house and we can do something together. I can make dinner, or call in an order. We could leave the kids with Brian and Mel and I could meet you at the loft. I just need to see you.” Number ten

 

“Justin, so help me if you don’t call, I’ll be at your front door. I am trying to help you and you're not even talking to me. CALL ME.” Number eleven.

 

“Justin, I didn’t mean that. I just need to talk to you. Will you please call me.” Number twelve.

 

“Justin, I need a friend, Mel wants me to leave. I don’t have anybody to talk to. Please call me.” Number thirteen.

 

“Justin, I hope you are working and not ignoring my calls. I thought you cared about me. As soon as you get this call me.” Number fourteen

 

“Justin you tell Brian if he doesn’t let you call, I’ll take Gus and we’ll disappear.” Number fifteen.

 

Justin hung up as another call was coming in. He didn’t want to hear any more. Max told him not to delete the messages.

 

“How much more is it going to take for you to listen to Max?” I ask Justin.

 

“I don’t need anymore. She used Gus.” Justin puts his head down on the desk and I can see the exhaustion sinking in.

 

“Do we need to stay here any longer? Justin and I need to get our kids.” I tell Max.

 

“We only stayed this long because Justin wasn’t willing to believe Linds was a problem. Where are you two going to stay tonight?” Max asks us.

 

“I want to go home and put my children in their beds. I want to be able to sleep without worrying that Linds will try to hurt my family. I want my life back to normal. Like it was before EVERYONE CONVINCED ME LINDS IS CRAZY.” Justin gets louder with each sentence.

 

I grab my husband and hold him, telling him it’s going to be okay. I tell him, “I’ll move us to an island, to keep us away from harm.”

 

Max tells us he is going to have a couple of men stay at the house tonight and make sure Linds isn’t allowed in.

 

“You know, five or six years ago, telling Brian and I you're sending a couple of men over would have made us unbelievably happy.” There’s the man I married.

 

MEL

 

I went over to Emmett’s house to hang out with the kids. Brian and Justin arrived with a guy named Max. Brian tells me what my wife has been up to.

 

“Linds thinks you're going to leave not just Brian, but the children, and play happy life with her?” I need them to confirm this.

 

“It hard to believe, I mean, depending on how you look at a situation, makes it seem worse. I tried to convince Brian and Max she is just trying to tell me what to do, but the messages go from friendly to pissed then back to friendly. One is trying to get me to call because you left her. Another is her mad because Brian isn’t letting me answer. The last one I listened to was her threatening to run away with Gus.” Justin tells me.

 

“Should you guys have a psychiatrist in the room? I would want someone who could, like talk her down or something.” Emmett tells Brian.

 

“Unfortunately in Pennsylvania, we have to prove she is a clear and present danger for her to be treated involuntarily,” Max tells us. “Brian and Justin are getting a restraining order in the morning. Once she violates it, we can work with the DA on treatment options.”

 

Emmett asks if that is true. I tell him, yes, she would have to be of diminished capacity in order for treatment to be forced on her. Brian rolls his eyes.

 

“Justin and I are going to the house. Mel, if you want to come with us you can.” Brian tells me.

 

“She can stay with me and Calvin tonight. Linds is trying to steal your man.” Emmett tells Brian.

 

“Brian, we are going to have to take custody of Gus from her,” I tell him.

 

“She’ll give it to me. She wants you and me to take care of the kids in her fantasy.” Brian tells me. “I’ll call Nick and see if he can have custody papers ready, in the morning. She’ll see it as me giving in to her.”

 

I tell Brian, JR and Gus have school in the morning. Brian tells me that Linds threatened to use Gus. Max tells us he can have someone stay at the school until I pick them up. With a plan, I take the kids to the house. The lights are on. I didn’t expect Linds to be here. I pulled back out before she saw us and took them to Deb’s house. I sit in the kitchen with Carl and ask Deb to keep the kids away from the room. Carl listened and told me to leave the kids here and he could have an officer meet me at the house. Deb tells me the kids can stay with her tonight. She and Carl will take them to school in the morning. I tell Deb to call Brian and let him know what is going on and leave to meet the officer at my house.

 

The officer arrived before I did. She told me to let her go in first. She unlocks my door and opens it. No one seems to be here. I wait on the porch until the officer comes back from searching the house. She tells me no one is here but one of the bedrooms was trashed. I walk in the house and up the stairs, to the room Linds was storing her stuff in. Linds must have tried on every outfit she owns.

 

I decided to stay at Deb’s house tonight. After tomorrow, I probably won’t have to worry about Linds anymore.

Chapter 17 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

LINDS

 

I was sitting around the house, trying to figure out what to do. I should have told Peter we could meet for dinner. Maybe I should get to know Jen. She would be a good person to keep on my side. I look around the room to make sure I have everything I need. I shouldn’t have put the clothes on the bed, but I can hire someone to clean and pack for me.

 

I should call Jen first, but I never got her phone number. Jen never liked Brian and Justin being together, so we have that in common. I drove to what I think is Jen’s neighborhood, but I realize I don’t know which condo she lives in. Jen is the kind of person who would welcome the neighbors, so people would know her. With that in mind, I knock on the first condo and wait. The man who answers the door tells me that it sounds like the woman two doors down. I thank him and go to that door. The woman who answers looks nothing like Jen. I ask her if she knows Jen.

 

“I have four kids under the age of seven, so unless Jen was one of them, I wouldn’t know her.” The lady said sarcastically and then slams the door in my face. I shouted through the door that she should have invested in birth control.

 

After trying five more houses I realize I need a different strategy. I finally find Jen in the phonebook and recognize that I wasn’t even in the right neighborhood. I called and asked if she wanted to go to dinner.

 

“Is everything okay Linds?” Jen asks me.

 

“I just wanted us to get to know each other better,” I tell her.

 

“Tucker and I were going to eat in Linds, maybe we could plan for some other time,” Jen tells me.

 

“We really need to spend some time together Jen, I wanted to tell you in person about Justin and me,” I tell her.

 

“Linds, there is no you and Justin. There is Brian and Justin, there is Justin and his children, but there will never be a you and Justin. Get that through your head. My son is living happily married to Brian. Justin doesn’t want or need you in his life. I don't know why you think differently. I know Justin has never told you he wanted you to be involved in his career or his life. Why don’t you go home to your family and leave Brian and Justin alone.” Jen tells me.

 

“You obviously haven't talked to your son lately. Justin is leaving Brian to make a life with me. Justin will be depending on me to keep people who aren’t happy for us out of our lives. I know you don’t approve of Brian, and if you think about it, I’m giving you a way to get Brian out of Justin’s life. I thought you and I could become friends, but I guess you're another person Justin will have to let go, so he can be happy.” I sneer into the phone.

 

“Linds, you need to get your life together and stop trying to live through my son. You need to start taking care of your children and your marriage. You're right, I didn’t approve of Brian in the beginning, but he became my other son the minute he fell in love with Justin. I love Brian Fucking Kinney for everything he did and is willing to do to protect my son from people like you.” Jen hangs up.

 

Jen just made it to the top of my shit list. She better not try to contact Justin after treating me like that. Wait till I tell Justin.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

My mom called Brian to find out why Linds thinks I'm leaving him for Linds. We forgot to include Mom in the list of people Linds would contact. Truthfully, I didn’t think she even knew how to contact my mom. Mom moved in with Tucker after Molly left for college, so Linds shouldn’t have been able to find her. Brian tells her everything. We just found out my mom can out curse Brian.

 

“Are you fucking telling me that bitch thinks she can take my fucking son like he's her fucking property? I thought she fucking ate twat, not dick. Justin sure as hell has no interest in knocking up her crazy ass. Brian, you need to get Gus away from her. You tell her I'll beat the living shit out of her if she harms one hair on either my son’s or my grandson’s heads. I'll bring Deb and will knock some goddamn sense into the bitch.” That's my mother the lady speaking.

 

“Jen, you're going to have to stand in line. There is no way she is taking Justin or Gus anywhere, especially the Hotel California of her fantasies.” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian, protect my grandchildren and keep my son from confronting her. Justin, you know you can’t reason with a mad woman. Brian, promise me you’ll keep him safe.” Mom tells Brian.

 

“Yes, Mother. I promised you that the day I married him.” Brian tells her.

 

“I like Mom better, or if you're feeling frisky you can call me Mommy.” She tells him. “Call me if you need my help.”

 

I think history has been made. Brian is not only speechless but he's blushing.

 

“I no longer wonder where you get being a smart ass from,” Brian tells me.

 

I snorted, it turned into a giggle, then I just started laughing hysterically. Victoria and Beth giggled with me, they didn’t even know why. For the first time all day I felt normal. It was time to do normal things, I told Brian we are going to have dinner, play with the girls and read them their story. We need to return to our normal. I don't want to think about anything that doesn't involve our family until tomorrow.

 

We keep to our routine with the girls, even with strangers in the house with us. The girls seem to think the guys watching over us were new friends. I told the guard, Allen, to try not to scare the girls. Allen told me kids as young as the girls don’t know why he’s here and he tries to make sure they never do. He is really nice to the girls and tells me to pretend he’s not here. How the fuck do you pretend a six foot six guy isn’t in the room?

 

After getting the girls to sleep, I’m wired and can’t settle down. I want to go find Linds and run her over with my SUV. Many, many times. Brian grabs me as I pace around the bedroom, I know he can feel the tension coming off me. I start tearing off his clothes, I wanted to scream and throw things. Brian told me to take it out on him in bed. I can’t even tell you when I fell asleep.  

 

Max was waiting in the kitchen the next morning, he told me it would be better to limit Linds’s contact with me. I feel like everyone wants me to hide. I tried to convince Brian and Max to let me go with them. Max told me it was better not to give Linds anything she could see as me accepting her delusions. I told them I wanted to see what was happening. Brian told me the nightmares I would probably get from this would only get worse if Linds reacts the way Max thinks she will. I finally relented. It’s just hard to understand how I got a stalker.

 

“Was it something I did?” I asked Max, “It just seems like I should be able to point to something and say that is when it started. All Linds has ever done was annoy me with advice.”

 

“Justin, you could walk down a street and smile at someone, in most cases, people either smile back or continue on their way never thinking about it again. Then there is the person who takes the smile you carelessly showed as you giving them special attention. That's how stalking happens. Some people have never even met their stalker, only to find out the person saw them out somewhere and fixated on them. Linds left Brian behind when you almost married him the first time. She wanted you to be a famous artist and Brian got in her way. Linds is determined to fulfill her fantasy at any cost, and by doing that she becomes dangerous to your family. I hope when I talk to her, she’ll see reason. Justin, you need to understand this isn’t going to end today.” Max tells me. I wanted to hear this was over, not that Linds could still be a problem after today.

 

Brian and I had to go to the police station and file the paperwork again. It’s kind of embarrassing to have to explain to the same detective that we have more crazy ass people in our lives. The detective told me everyone has crazy people in their lives. It didn’t make me feel better.

 

BRIAN

 

I didn't want Justin to have to see any of this, I have to play nice with Linds, so she'll sign the papers. It feels like I’m betraying Justin. Justin told me it's to protect Gus, and nothing else. I know that in my head, but it doesn't make what I have to do any easier. I just don’t know if I can pull this off. I might have to kill her. Gus has to be my reason to keep her breathing.

 

Nick worked late last night to have what I needed to keep Gus away from his mother. Mel and I are going to explain it to him, after school today. Justin and I talked about what to tell Gus, we think we just need him to know Linds is having problems and until she's better, she can't be a good mom.

 

Max told me once she's signed the paperwork I should get out and let them handle the rest. Mel showed up at Kinnetik and told me she couldn’t pretend this wasn’t her problem too. Mel at first was going to stay out of it, but she couldn't act like this was her get out of jail free card.

 

For the first time in my life, walking into my company feels walking into the gates of hell.

 

MAX

 

When Peter called I thought it would be another routine case. Linds sounds like your garden variety, bored housewife. I figured she was attracted to Justin and wanted to play house with him. I told Peter it could be she wanted excitement and sees Justin as her way to the excitement. When we met with Justin and learned more about Linds, I knew it was no longer routine. Linds is past the point you can reason with her. Making Justin face it was actually harder. Brian told me Justin wants to believe Linds is just talking out of her ass. I told Brian I wouldn’t have stayed if that was the case.

 

I was surprised it took us throwing everything Linds has done out there and explaining to Justin why I think we need to take precautions. Linds trying to integrate herself into Justin’s mother’s life told me Linds needs help. The problem is stalkers fixate, and unless something else comes along, Linds is going to keep trying. Brian gets that this is probably the beginning of Linds’s campaign.

 

“What is the next step?” Brian asks me.

 

“We keep Justin away from her until she does something to get herself put away. The real problem is your son, it gives her access to information on Justin. Gus could say something as innocent as he and Justin are going to the park and she is going to be sitting there waiting for them. She needs to feed her obsession and when we deny her a way to do that, she is going to go from talking to action. It’s the action that gets people hurt.” I tell him.

 

“I can’t believe I have to go in that room and act as if she's getting my husband in order to save my son from her. I honestly don't know if I can do that Max. It goes against everything in me. I want to walk in there and hurl her ass into a vat of acid, not play nice.” Brian tells me.

 

“You need to view it as a means to an end. Don't overplay being nice, just tell her facts. You want custody of Gus, she isn’t capable of taking care of him. Just tell her that. How she interprets it isn't an issue. That's my job. Once I talk to her, she is going to be concerned about how to get to Justin and nothing else.” I tell him.

 

Brian doesn’t see that Linds isn’t going to chase after him. She is going to want him out of her way. My other concern is this Michael person; if Linds thinks Michael can help her, she is going to use him. If Michael is as gullible as they are saying, we are going to be looking at a different situation altogether. I might have to move some of my guys to Pittsburgh. Brian and Justin are lucky they can afford protection, most people have to move or run from people like these two.

 

I guess it's time to meet Linds.

 

TED

 

Max told us to treat Linds normally, he wants to see her behavior. I told Brian we need to treat her like a client, so she doesn’t try to make them work to get the paperwork signed.

 

I talked to Blake and he told me Justin is her Crystal Meth, she is going to do anything for a fix. Unlike addicts, we can't clean her up, unless she recognizes Justin doesn't belong with her. It sounds like what I went through, it took seeing the things I allowed to happen just to get high for me to get help. Blake told me Linds would have to check herself in for treatment. He thinks that if forced to go, Linds could fool the doctor. I can see where he’s coming from. She would say all the right things and wait for another chance to score her high.

 

LINDS

 

Brian asked if we could talk first, Mel was with him.

 

“Mel, I'm fine with our relationship being over. If you're here to see if I changed my mind, I didn’t.” I tell her.

 

“Brian and I wanted to discuss custody of Gus. If you're determined to leave we have to see to Gus’s welfare. Brian has some papers you need to sign.” Mel tells me.

 

“I can see your point, but later when Justin and I settle down, I want to be able to have the children around,” I tell her.

 

“We can work that out later,” Mel tells me.

 

“Brian, that includes the girls,” I tell him.

 

“Linds, plan your happily ever after later. Just sign the fucking paperwork. After that, I don't give a damn.” Brian tells me, pushing the papers toward me. Brian needs to get over losing Justin.

 

I signed where Mel told me to. Brian is acting like an asshole the whole time. If this wasn’t what I thought was best, I would have made it harder on them. Mel looks over the paperwork, tells Brian everything is good. Brian turns to walk out. He could at least thank me for not making this harder. I could have made them sign for joint custody.

 

“Brian I know letting Justin go is hard, but you should have let him go when he first moved to New York,” I tell him. He brought this on himself.

 

“You want to know what's hard Linds, it's listening to you. Where in that mind of yours did you think…” Mel cuts Brian off.

 

“Brian let it go,” Mel tells him.

 

“Linds, after today I never want to see you again. You’re fucking Casper as far as I'm concerned.” Brian slams out the door, saying everyone expected too much of him.  

 

“He’ll get used to life without Justin, tell him to make up with Michael. They can go back to the way things used to be after Justin's gone.” I tell Mel.

 

“Linds, fuck off.” Is all she says to me before she follows Brian out of the office.

 

They leave me in Brian’s office alone and I get up to see where Peter is. I want to get this over with. Brian is in Ted’s office, I watch as he starts to yell. I can’t hear what he’s saying. I was going to go and tell Brian I understand losing Justin will be hard, but he won’t accomplish anything by acting this way. Peter intercepts me and tells me we can talk in the conference room. I told him this wasn’t going to take long. I walk in ahead of him and take the chair at the head of the table.

I was about to tell him he is being let go when another man comes into the room.

 

“I need to speak to Peter alone. Would you mind waiting outside?” I tell the man.

 

“Actually Linds, you were asked here to talk to me. My name is Max Holston. I’m the head of security for Justin Taylor-Kinney as of yesterday. I was brought in because we are worried about you.” Max tells me.

 

“First of all, it’s Justin Taylor. Kinney is Brian’s last name. Second, we can discuss how you’re going to handle Justin and my security after I talk to Peter.” I tell him.

 

“No, we are here to deliver a restraining order. Justin and Brian want to make sure you understand exactly what this is. You are not allowed within five hundred yards of Justin, Brian, or any of the children. Your wife wanted you to have one with the same conditions for her too. If you attempt to contact any of the people I just mentioned, I have been authorized to detain you until the police arrive. There is to be zero contact with Justin. Do you understand? If not, tell me before you're escorted off the property.” This Max person tells me. If they think I’m going to listen to them, they need to think again.

 

“You need to get Justin on the phone right now. Brian probably thinks he can do this and Justin will just go along with it. Justin wants me in his life. He is just too afraid to leave Brian. Everyone is trying to stop us from leaving together. Well, Max and Peter, you're both going to be fired when Justin finds out what all of you did. GET JUSTIN HERE NOW! I want my husband to tell you himself that everyone is out of our lives.” I tell them.

 

“Ms Peterson, Justin is not your husband. He isn’t going to intervene, he signed the papers I just gave you. You need to pick up your things and leave this building. I have security waiting to escort you out of the building. Although, I would take great pleasure in having a police escort if you want to stay.” The asshole is smiling.

 

I don’t say a word. I pick up the restraining orders and tear them into small pieces. When I had them small enough I rained them all over ‘Mr tells me he’ll call the police.’

 

“You can burn each piece if you want to, but it’s still going to be in effect. Make my life easier and accept reality. Justin Taylor-Kinney doesn’t want you in his life. You need to get your life together and it can’t include Justin.” He tells me.

 

I grab my things and decide to try to see Justin alone. I know everyone is keeping us apart. The assholes who escort me out, wouldn’t let me go until I was in my car. I was told not to return to the building. Like I want to see fucking Kinnetik or Brian again. Justin deserves to get away from everyone trying to control him.  

 

Chapter 18 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

TED

 

I was waiting in the lobby with Max while Brian and Mel got Linds to sign the papers. Max told Cynthia he needed to be able to hear what was being said, Cynthia put the speakerphones on and muted the lobby. It was going okay, Linds was agreeing to sign the papers, then Brian nearly explodes.

 

“Brian needs to hold it together and get out of the room.” Max is muttering.

 

“This IS Brian holding it together. You put Brian in a situation where he has to let someone else control the room. Brian is the person who is usually in control of everything.” I tell Max.

 

Brian tells Linds to get out of his life and stay out before he slams out of the room.

 

“Max, you get that bitch out of my building and keep her away from my family. Everyone expects me to be able to walk in there and let her tell me that I have to let her near my girls. You expect more than I can give.” Brian tells him as he walks into my office.

 

“Brian, you did what you had to do. Let the professionals handle this.” I try to calm him down.

 

“I can’t sit in a chair, listen to Linds tell me I should have left Justin, and not want to fucking smash everything in the room. SHE WAS FUCKING TELLING ME JUSTIN BELONGS TO HER. YOU WANT TO TELL ME THAT IF THIS WAS ABOUT BLAKE YOU COULD BE CALM.” Brian yells at me.

 

“I know I wouldn’t Brian, but at this point, you need her to give you what you wanted, custody of Gus. Max told you she is going to keep trying to remind you to leave Justin to her. I know it wasn’t easy to pretend you were giving up, but it’s over and you don’t have to be okay with it.” I tell him.

 

“Ted, Justin is the reason I get out of bed every day. When he came into my life, I was one hit away from becoming a statistic. All my friends didn’t care that I was high and drunk as long as I stayed the life of the party. Justin didn’t kiss my ass the way Michael did. He made me want to be a better man, just to have him near me. You know why I was always telling him there are no locks on our doors? So when he finally left me, he would know he could always come home. He was never going to get rid of me. I always made sure I could watch over him. It took five years for me to admit I loved him, but we are finally in the same place at the same time. I want to have the life we wanted, but once again parts of my life are causing him pain. All the horrible moments in his life, involve me and my friends. I let Michael shit on him and protected Michael. Michael tells me I should have left Justin to die, and other than punching him, I forgave my best friend. Linds wouldn’t even have met him if for once in my life I did the right thing and left him under that street light. He could have had a better life away from all of this.” Brian tells me.

 

“Brian, why are you blaming yourself, instead of the people responsible for their own actions?” I ask him.

 

“Because I can’t take it out on Linds and Michael. I want to drop kick their asses into shark-infested waters and watch them being torn to bloody shreds. I couldn’t go into my office and say what I needed to say, for her to find the fastest train and stand in front of it. I stood there and had to leave it up to Mel because I wanted to wrap my hands around her throat.” Brian deflated and fell into in my chair.

 

“Are you done?” I ask him. Brian nods and stares out the window.

 

I let him rant because he needed it, but he can’t make this his fault. It’s Linds and Michael’s faults for causing the drama in his life. “Brian, name the best moment of your life.”

 

“Justin waking up from his coma,” Brian tells me.

 

“Why?” I ask him. I’m confused. I would have thought it was his wedding or his children being born.

 

“Because from the moment I first looked into Justin’s eyes, I saw my future. When he was in a coma, I was waiting for my chance to have the future his eyes promised me.” Brian tells me.

 

“Justin never wanted any life but one that included you, Brian. Don’t take this on yourself.” I hope I helped him.

 

LINDS

 

I wanted to drive to Justin’s house. We could just get in the car and get away. We didn’t need to plan anything but to drive away from people trying to keep us apart. Justin probably thinks I abandoned him. I don’t care what Max said, Justin loves me and didn’t have anything to do with that restraining order. If he signed it, then it was because Brian forced him to. Brian and Peter are the ones who did that, Justin would have told them he wouldn’t do that to me.

 

I parked at the mall, I need to think of a plan. I got out and started looking through the stores, hoping I could think of a way to get to Justin. If Brian hadn’t convinced Justin to marry him, I could have already been in New York. They didn’t even have a ceremony. I heard it was in a lawyer’s office. Justin and I were both cheated out of our dream weddings. I didn’t get to wear a beautiful gown, instead, it looked like a mumu. Neither one of us got a real honeymoon. Both Justin and I got stuck being slaves to our spouses. Justin and I should get married to prove we want to be together.

 

I left the mall and need to find a place to stay. I refuse to be around Brian and Mel. If it wasn’t for them Justin and I would be together. I didn’t want to stay with my family, they would try to interfere too. There is one person, but I would have to pretend Justin was the bad guy, not Brian.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian called to tell me he was coming home. We have to talk to Gus this afternoon and I hope he is going to understand about Linds. Regardless of what Linds has been doing, she is his mother, and Gus is going to suffer.

 

I wanted to ask Brian what happened, but he sounded tired. The girls and I watched the little mermaid and I played what they wanted me to. Peter was working on postponing my show. He told me it would only be a month later, it was because Max said security could be an issue, too many people coming and going.

 

Ted called me and told me that Brian feels responsible for Michael and Linds being in my life. I told Ted, “Brian always puts the blame on himself for everything bad that happens.”

 

“Justin, he thinks you would have had a wonderful life, without him,” Ted tells me.

 

“Don’t worry Ted, I’ve dealt with him before when he blames himself and he knows it’s not him, but just life. Brian just needs to let it out and you were the lucky victim.” I tell Ted.

 

“How did it go with Linds? I can’t ask Brian, and Max will get technical. I want your honest opinion on what you think.” I tell Ted.

 

“Justin in the last two days, she has gone from wanting to run your career, to telling us you’re her husband. I know, not think, you need to listen to Max. Linds tore up the restraining order and used it to confetti Max with. I think you and Brian should go on a vacation and leave the nutter butters to Max.” Ted tells me.

 

“Find me an island to go to and we’re there Ted.” I joke with him.

 

“I think if we found an island Brian would drop Linds and Michael off on it,” Ted tells me before hanging up.

 

Linds is still calling like a madwoman. Max told me not to answer her.

 

MICHAEL

 

I’ve been working at my shop and waiting for Brian to call me. I was sure he would have at least dropped the restraining order. I called Carl all day asking if Brian had changed his mind. Carl finally told me to stop calling. When the bell went off, I look up and see the reason my life has been going to shit walk in the door.

 

“I don’t want to talk to you Linds,” I tell her.

 

“I don’t really want to talk to you either, but if you want Brian, I need your help.” The bitch tells me.

 

“Brian is going to forgive me, so I don’t need anything from you,” I tell her.

 

“If your plan is to sit on your ass, read comics and play the wounded friend, then you’ll still be waiting for Brian when you die from old age. If you want Justin to go back to New York, you’ll listen to me.” Linds tells me.

 

“Linds, the only thing I want from you is for you to walk your ass back out the door. Brian and I wouldn’t be fighting if you had taken the time to get off your ass and gotten JR. You were too busy trying to kiss Justin’s ass to take care of your responsibilities ” I tell her.

 

“It must hurt to know that Brian fucked me, one of his best friends, but uses that you guys are friends as the reason he won’t let you even suck his dick.” She sneers at me.

 

“It would only hurt if you hadn’t had to drug his ass to get him to go near your smelly twat,” I tell her.

 

“And to think you couldn’t even get him to fuck you drugged and drunk. I get it though. I mean, who the fuck would want to listen to you whine during sex. ‘OHHH Brian, my bestest friend in the whole world, do it again’.” She raised her voice to this high pitch screech on the last part of the sentence.

 

“At least I know who I want to fuck, you keep switching teams,” I tell her.

 

“You mean your mother had to tell you. I mean, imagine where you would be if your mommy hadn’t told you to be gay.” Linds sneers at me.

 

“Fuck you, Linds get out of my store,” I tell her.

 

“Wow, great come back Mikey. Mommy teach you that too?” Linds taunts me.

 

“How about I call the cops and tell them to take you to your mommy, Linds,” I tell her.

 

“How about you learn to use those balls you seem to have lost after Brian started fucking Justin.”  She tells me.

 

“How about the fact that even if you had a dick, you still couldn’t get Justin to fuck you.” I sneer at her.

 

Why don’t we find Brian a magnifying glass so he can find your dick when you offer it to him.” Linds sneers.

 

We keep going at each other until finally, I tell her I should get a restraining order against her. She suddenly turns and walks out the door. I wait till I see her get in her car to leave and decide I’ll go wait at the diner for Brian to come in.

 

MAX

 

I got a call from Tom telling me that Linds and Michael planning anything together would be hard to do. Apparently, they can’t stop trying to one-up each other.

Chapter 19 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Enjoy the ride in Linds and Michael's minds

LINDS

 

I should have left Michael with his Captain wonderbutt shoved down his throat. I wanted to use him to keep Brian distracted. If Brian was having to deal with the Mikey show, Justin would be able to call me. I wonder if I’m going to have to kidnap Justin. I don’t want to, but Brian is keeping Justin away from me. If Brian really loved Justin he would have allowed Justin to choose what he wants. I decided that we don’t need any of the people in Pittsburgh in our lives. Justin and I can start our own family.

 

I could take Justin to my parent's vacation house. It would be secluded and no one I know even knows about it. We could finally have time to ourselves and Justin will see no one can take care of him the way I do. I could take him when he is waiting to pick up JR and Gus. It’s still over an hour before they get out of school. I’ll wait at the school, but figure I should park in the side lot at the school so no one will see me.

 

I remember the first time I saw Justin. He was so young. I was sitting in a hospital, holding Gus. I didn't notice him until Brian asked him what name we should go with. Justin sided with the name Gus. I knew from that moment I wanted Justin in my life. Justin ran into Mel and me when we were out shopping, and he offered to help me with my bags and with Gus. I remember thinking what a nice young man he was. When Justin got to the house, we were talking and I found out he was an artist, it made one more thing we had in common. I breastfed Gus in front of him and Justin drew the most amazing likeness of it. He made me beautiful, I wanted him to draw for me. It bothered me when Brian came to the house, but Justin didn’t simper the way Michael does when Brian tried to imply Justin should stop following him around. Justin laughed him off. I wanted Justin to show the amazing picture he drew of me, Justin was really excited to show my drawing at that point. Mel even helped by saying Justin could stay, we’d keep him. I couldn’t agree more. Justin even gave me a way for him to be around me more, he offered to babysit for us. Brian kept interfering with our time. He was trying to keep Justin away from me. I was running out of ways to see Justin, then I needed a babysitter for the weekend. I was running all over the loft, giving Brian instructions, when I got to see Justin running out of the shower, his body was a work of art. One thing I agree with is Justin has a beautiful ass, his towel wouldn’t stay on and I wanted to drive Justin to my house instead of to school that morning.

 

I almost died when Justin was hurt. I remember him dressed for his prom and saying I wanted him. I wasn’t joking, I wanted to drag him back up to the bedroom and lock us in for the night. When the call came in about the bashing, I wanted to sit beside him and make him better. Everyone was getting in the way, Jen and Deb were at the hospital all the time and Daphne acted like it was her job to care for him. Mel and I got back together and I let him go for a while. It was when I found out he was going to quit PIFA, I knew something had to be done. I took him to see my friend, Adrienne Bennett and got her to convince Justin he should continue. Justin worked so hard to please me and made it back. He did it to keep us connected to each other. I wanted Brian out of Justin’s life when they started to act like a couple and not fuckbuddies. The opportunity came in the form of Ethan. Justin stopped working at the diner and no longer talked to Brian and his friends, but he came to see me and kept our relationship in his life. Brian kept running around trying to get Justin back. I wanted him to stay with Ethan. I told Brian to tell Justin he loved him and he would come back. I knew Brian would run from any form of commitment and it worked. I wanted to kill Ethan when he cheated because it drove Justin back to Brian. Life got in our way with Mel having Mikey’s baby, and then my affair with Sam. I didn’t want Sam but finally fucked him to prove I could still drive men wild. Michael and the stupid comic took Justin from me. I should have just packed my bags and gone with Justin to Hollywood. Mel’s pregnancy turned her into a raving bitch and Michael decided to take up residence at my house. I wanted to stab Michael with a kitchen knife every time he mentioned Justin living in Hollywood. Mel thought it was because Michael was practically stalking her.

 

I wanted Mel to have Justin’s baby, I told her all the traits I found attractive in Justin, then made her look at all the guys. They played it perfectly until Michael had to be nice to Brian’s nephew. I even tried to convince her to use Brian, knowing she would rather suck a dick than have Brian’s baby. The whole time I was describing Justin’s traits I felt breathless and I know I sounded it. All I could see was Justin and I raising a child together. I’m glad now that she chose Michael, it gives me a chance to have a blonde haired, possibly blue-eyed and incredibly intelligent child. The fact that Justin loves Gus because he is part of me just helps to keep our new family together.

 

When Justin came back and found out about Mel and me separating, I was pissed he would hang out with Mel. I even got into a fight with Mel, so Justin could see the bitch he chose to be friends with. Justin realized his mistake and came to see me, pretending it was about his art. I needed to hear from him that I was still important, Justin told me in words he could never choose, he loved me. I was waiting for him to leave Brian and he finally did. Justin was with Mel and me a lot and wasn’t even broken up about Brian. I felt we finally got Brian out of his life. I made sure reporters met Justin, I was setting up our career.

 

The wedding was when I knew I had to do something. Brian was trying to keep Justin from leaving him. I went to Justin and told him it was his chance to be someone, it was our chance to see him soar. Justin was in the clouds, I knew it was time to use Brian again. All it took was showing him the article and Justin was on the next plane. I left with Mel to be closer to Justin, Canada was only a few hours from him. I stayed at home and was calling Peter to hear about Justin, and to make sure I was part of his career. It was in the second year when Brian started keeping Justin away from me. I decided to make life hell in Canada, I was going to suggest we move to New York, but Mel wanted to go back to the Pitts. Then Brian, in a bid to keep Justin, gives him my kids and marries him. I was frantic to get Justin away from Brian. I kept offering to help Justin with the kids, so we could be near each other but Brian was constantly telling me to go home.

 

The day I didn’t pick up the kids, I was depressed and felt nothing I was doing was making Justin happy. I thought if he would just come home and tell me I was still important to him, we could get back on track. Now I know it was Brian and Peter who have been keeping him away. Brian isn’t going to stop me anymore, once Justin sees me, he’ll feel our connection.

 

If Brian comes with Justin, then I need to have a way to get Justin to get away from Brian.

 

TED

 

I wanted to bring home dinner for Blake, to thank him for being my reason for existing. I called in the order because I had a feeling Michael would be at the diner and I was angry at him for being another reason Brian and Justin are suffering. I was right, the minute I walked in, there he is, sitting at the back booth. He looks at me and then at the door, I assume looking for his Brian fix. I just want him to ignore me. I should know better.

 

“Ted, are you going to stand there and pretend I don’t exist?” Michael asks me. I rolled my eyes and turned and looked at Michael. I hope he can feel how pissed I am by looking at me.

 

“Why the hell are you looking at me like that?” He asks me.

 

I was going to pay for my order and go but I just couldn’t. Linds and Michael are the cockroaches in Brian’s life. You think you get rid of them, but they just hide in the shadows until they can invade again.

 

“Michael, I am looking at someone who, at one time, I thought was a kind, caring, and considerate friend. Now all I see is a whiny, spoiled child, who has never grown up from the age of fourteen.” I tell him.

 

“What the fuck Ted, I thought we were friends. I’ve always been there for you. I need you to be there for me, you need to convince Brian this restraining order is ridiculous.” Michael tells me.

 

“Michael, ridiculous is you stealing my key and making a copy of it. Ridiculous is you running after Brian, instead of spending time with your child. Ridiculous is that Brian had to get a restraining order to get you to leave him the fuck alone. What will it take for you to get it through your tiny little mind that Brian is never going to want you by his side, running his life, or in his bed? You threw away Ben, who put up with your stalking of Brian Fucking Kinney. Ben finally got a clue and left you. Brian has enough to deal with and doesn’t need someone who told him Justin should have been left to die after he was bashed. Brian doesn’t need a friend who uses the fact that they have been friends since they were fourteen like a bat to bash him with when he wants to spend time with his family. I don’t need a friend like you in my life. I have important things to do. I don’t have time for someone who can’t accept the fact that being a real friend means wanting what is best for someone, not trying to keep them from having a life. Now, I am going to pick up my order and go home and spend time with my husband and my newborn son and make sure Austin never doubts that I care. I want to make sure Austin knows I’m dependable and love him more than my best friend Emmett. The thing is, Emmett would be happy that I want Austin and Blake to be the most important people in my life. Can you say you're happy Brian was able to turn his life around and have a family he could love?” I couldn’t stand there and pretend anymore.

 

“Look, Brian and I have always been there for each other. Brian is becoming a person he never wanted to be. He always said that he would always love me, you know when he says ‘always have and always will’ it was his promise to me.” Michael really believes what he’s saying.

 

I shook my head in frustration and then decided to get my order, go home to my husband and son. Michael is forever going to be a fourteen-year-old, in love with Brian.

 

MICHAEL

 

Ted left and I was pissed. Brian loves me and wants to be with me. I mean, I was the person who kept him safe from his family. When I got upset about Ben, Brian was willing to give me what I wanted. I only stopped because I wanted it to be special, not against a wall like his tricks. When Justin finally left Brian, he came to me and we were back to our life together. I thought when Ben left for Budapest, Brian and I would get together. I don’t care that he was with Justin, because I was with Ben. Brian deserved to have someone until I was free. I mean we had kids with Mel and Linds, it’s only natural we would be together to raise them one day.

 

I remember the time Brian took pictures of me for the dating site. I saw lust in his eyes when he took off my shirt and when he was looking at the pictures. I wanted to tell everyone to leave the loft. He wanted me, he has always wanted me.

 

I wasn’t trying to hurt anyone, I only wanted to remind Brian of the future, us being two old queens in Palm Springs. Justin was jealous and made it hard for me to spend time with Brian. I could see Brian wanted to spend time with me, I even tried to get Mel to help me make an evening out possible. I know that if Mel hadn’t been being a bitch I could have convinced Brian to spend time with me.

 

Justin is too busy making Brian conform to the life Justin wants. Maybe him seeing me at Babylon, partying and tricking, will break through and prove to Brian that we belong together. I think that is what I’ve been doing wrong the whole time. I was too busy trying to invite him out with Ben and I. I should have told Brian it would be just the two of us. If I could only get him alone and tell him, we would be able to have Brian and Mikey time.

 

LINDS

 

I looked for Justin’s car when school let out. I saw Gus and JR standing there with a teacher. I wanted to be able to catch Justin when he was waiting but he wasn’t in the line of cars. I watch Gus and JR. I mean Justin and I could take the kids with us for a while. I was about to call for the kids when I see them run to Mel. I backed up and watch them get in the car with that fucker Max. Mel is against me too now?

 

I walked back and got in my car, I need a way to get Justin to come to me. I know Justin needs me to help him get away, it’s like they are holding him prisoner.

 

Chapter 20 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

When Max told me my life was going to change, he wasn’t lying. I can’t just get in my car and drive to the grocery store, it has to be planned. I wanted to cook Gus’s favorite foods, I needed to get some asparagus spears, I went to get the girls and run to the store.

 

“Justin, where are you going?” Max asks me.

 

“I need to get some things from the store,” I tell him.

 

“Just tell one of us, so we can plan to take you,” Max tells me.

 

“It’s just a quick trip. The store is like five minutes from here.” I tell him.

 

“It doesn't matter, you don't leave the house without one of my people,” Max tells me.

 

I wasn’t upset at Max. I was angry that Linds is making it impossible to do normal everyday things. I'm not used to planning for a quick grab and go trip. I wanted to be able to go somewhere without people trailing me. The whole thing seems so unfair, I feel like I’m the one who did something wrong.

 

“Justin, I know this isn’t easy, but until we can determine what Linds is capable of, we have to be cautious," Max tells me.

 

“I understand, believe me, I understand. I spend every waking moment waiting for Linds to finally do something. I’m not going to purposely do something that brings danger to my family or to me. I wasn’t thinking, I need asparagus spears for dinner. That’s all I need.” I tell him.

 

“I’ll send Tom to pick it up for you. If you really want to go, he just needs to ride with you. I would, but I’m about to leave to pick up Gus and JR with Mel.” Max tells me.

 

I decide Tom can go. It’s not like I wanted to go, I just wanted to be able to go. I go back into the kitchen and start to cook dinner. Allen comes in and plays with the girls. It’s actually nice not to have to stop and check on the girls all the time. Allen is assigned to the girls and me when we’re at home. Tom is watching Linds and Michael but comes with Allen and me if we go somewhere. It seemed like overkill, but I know it’s for the safety of me and the girls.

 

Brian asked why I wasn’t willing to believe Linds could be dangerous. I told him it wasn’t that I didn’t believe it, it’s just hard to imagine someone wants to stalk me. I’m not a movie star or even huge in the art world. I’m just getting to the point where galleries are coming to me.

 

I think if I saw Linds, I would probably run her over with my car, just to get some peace. Max told me if I see her, to just get away from her. Brian told me to wait until Michael and Linds were in the same area and hit them both. I love that he understands my frustration.

 

MAX

 

When I picked Mel up, she wanted to know why I wasn’t worried about Michael. She told me she understands why we are hyper-aware of Linds.

 

“Michael is still based in reality, he just doesn’t like what he sees. Michael isn’t the scorned lover, he’s the guy who is waiting for his turn. He thinks Justin will eventually just leave and Brian will turn to him. Michael won’t work to get what he wants, he wants it handed to him. He’s the kind of person who would bring a measuring tape and tell everyone he isn’t violating a restraining order because there is still five hundred feet between him and Brian while standing in a building Brian owns. When the police show, Michael would be so busy trying to tell them he was five hundred feet away, not wanting to hear being in the building was a violation. In other words, he’s not very intelligent.” Max tells me. I have to agree with him.

 

“The thing is, if I was asked about Linds, I would have thought it would be Brian, not Justin. Linds has always chased Brian and wanted him to solve her problems. The only change in the last couple of years was her being mad at Brian because Justin wanted to come home. Brian has also had zero tolerance for the bullshit both Michael and Linds pull. I’ve been living with her and I didn’t see what she was doing as anything other than wanting to be involved in Justin’s career. I mean, the whole husband and sudden love came out of nowhere.” Mel tells me.

 

“It was there in the back of her mind. Part of it is we denied her a part of his career, the other part is she needed to justify why she and Justin need to be together. It went from stage mom to lover. She most likely changed the way she views her interactions with Justin to make it seem like she’s in love with him. She could have been in love with him, but I don’t think she was until we told her Justin didn’t want her in his life.” I tell Mel.

 

“What do you really believe will happen?” Mel asks me.

 

“Don’t look or react, but it could be as easy as me calling the police and telling them Linds is standing next to that tree,” I tell Mel

 

Mel and I were waiting to get Gus and JR, I was watching the area. I think I gave Linds to much credit for intelligence. I mean if I was told I could go to jail for having any contact with the kids, I would at least hide behind a bush, not stand next to a tree, in plain sight. I tell Mel to go get the kids and come straight back to the car. I call the police and tell them Linds has already violated the restraining order. Hopefully, she’ll keep doing stupid things. I called Brian to let him know Linds is going to be taken in. We have her for calling Justin’s phone, but she disappeared for a while today.

 

When Mel got the kids in the car, I drove off quickly. I want her to be here long enough for the police to pick her up.

 

I stopped the car around the corner and asked Mel to drive so I could answer the phone. The call was to tell us that Linds managed to leave before the police could get there, but the principal verified to them she was on the property. Now if we can just have the police and Linds in the same place.

 

BRIAN

 

Mel and I wanted to talk to Gus and Justin agreed it was best that we talked to him.

 

“Gus, your dad and I wanted to talk to you about your mom. We decided that you get to stay with me and your dads for a while. Your mom isn’t doing well and needs to get some help. Until she does she can’t see or talk to you. If you see her you need to stay away and tell a grown-up immediately and don’t go with her, anywhere. Do you understand sweetheart.” Mel tells Gus.

 

“Is she really sick?” Gus asks us.

 

“She isn’t sick like when you have a cold Gus. Your mom is not seeing things clearly. In order for her to get better, she needs a doctor to help her clarify things.” I tell Gus.

 

“Can I go get a snack in the kitchen?” Gus changed the subject.

 

“In a minute. I need you to tell me you understand what we told you.” Mel tells him.

 

“I can’t have anything to do with my mom, got it. Can I go now?” Gus is getting a bit mouthy with us.

 

“Gus this is serious. I know it hurts but we need you to talk to us. You're allowed to be mad, sad, or pissed about it, but we need you to do as we ask.” I tell Gus.

 

“I will Dad,” Gus tells me.

 

We let him go to the kitchen. Mel and I decide we’ll just watch and see if Gus needs to talk to us, or maybe he will go to Justin. Sometimes he does that, he says Justin is sometimes easier to talk to. Justin yells that it’s time to eat. We walk in to see Gus scarfing down a burger. I forget Gus gets snarky when he’s hungry.

 

I needed to call Gabriel and get an update on the expansion. I told everyone I would be in my office. Gabriel is going to take over the world one day. Between the two of us, we bring in over eighty percent of the accounts. Gabriel told me he was going to be coming to town next week. We are going to hammer out the partnership agreement. I told him Justin wanted to meet him in person and we could have dinner together.

 

I get another call, and tell Gabriel we’ll talk next week. It’s one of the bartenders at Babylon, Mikey is there, partying up a storm, I wonder if he read the part of the restraining order that says he couldn’t be in any building that Justin or I own. I tell the bartender that I’ll call Carl. Mikey thinks I wasn’t going to enforce the order, well he can think about it in jail tonight.

 

MICHAEL

 

I was drinking and dancing up a storm. I told the bartender I’d tip him a twenty if he made sure to tell me if Brian arrived. The bartender tells me to keep the money, he’ll definitely say something. I got a couple hits of E and was really having a good time. A hot guy walks up to me and asks me to turn around. I turned and started rubbing my ass against him. He grabs my arms and pulls them behind my back, I tried to raise them around his neck but he pulled them down. I closed my eyes and started trying to dance into him. I feel him putting something on my wrist and I try to turn to ask him what he’s doing. I look up and Carl is standing there.

 

“Michael, I have to take you in. You’re in violation of the restraining order,” Carl tells me.

 

“Brian isn’t even here, how could I be violating it when he isn’t in the building Carl.” I sneer at him.

 

“You're in a building owned by Brian and Justin. I told you, you aren’t allowed to be in any property owned by them.” Carl tells me.

 

“I thought you meant the loft. Just call Brian and he’ll let me go.” I tell Carl.

 

“Brian is the one who called us Michael,” Carl tells me.

 

I can’t believe Brian is going to put me in jail. I tried to tell Carl they should let me go. I wasn’t paying attention so I didn’t know. Carl told me to read something other than a comic and I wouldn’t be going with him to the police station.

 

Chapter 21 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

I called Ma and told her I needed her to come to bail me out. I was going to call Brian, but Carl rolled his eyes and told me the restraining order, that I apparently didn’t read, covers all contact. Ma told me she works hard for the money she makes and isn’t going to throw it away on someone who can’t follow simple instructions. I called Emmett, because Ted was being a dick.

 

“Emmett, hey I need you to help me out. You won’t believe it, but Brian actually had Carl put me in jail for going to Babylon. I need someone to bail me out.” I tell Emmett.

 

“I would really like to help you, but I think a night in jail might help you realize how serious Brian is about you staying out of his life.” Emmett can’t really think I belong in jail.

 

“Emmett, you would really leave me in jail for the night? I didn’t do anything, I was partying at Babylon and they put me in jail. Brian wasn’t there, and even if he was, I was only trying to have some fun. I would have stayed away from him.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Michael, you can’t be on any property Brian or Justin own. You can’t be anywhere they are. You can’t call them. You can’t even write them a letter. Did you even read the restraining order or did you just pretend it didn’t exist? It doesn’t even have anything to do with me, but I can tell you what it said. Michael, hopefully, no one will want to help you tonight. I think you need to sit in the cell and figure out how to live your life. Brian isn’t going to come flying in and rescue you, we all want you to get some help. It’s time to rescue yourself before you ruin your life running after Brian.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I wasn’t put in jail because I was running after Brian. Why isn’t anybody getting that? I was minding my own business and got arrested for having a good time.” I tell him.

 

“Michael, do yourself a favor, accept that you purposefully violated that restraining order, because you wanted to see Brian. You need to get some help. There are wonderful counselors in Pitts, and as your friend, I’m telling you to schedule an appointment, before we have to start visiting you in prison.” Emmett says bye and hangs up.

 

I was taken back to a cell. I guess I’m staying here tonight. Brian and I were a team, now it’s like everyone wants to split us up.

 

LINDS

 

I woke up and looked around, last night I drove out to Britin. I parked by the house down the street. It’s for sale, so no one would know I was here. I was going to walk through the woods and see if Justin was in his studio. I wanted to try to get him to come to the window so we could talk. I ended up getting lost and it took me two hours just to find my way back to my car.

 

I decided to wait until everyone leaves the house and try to get to Justin. I couldn’t see the house from where I parked so I needed to drive by and check if everyone left yet. Out in the driveway, Justin and Brian were practically fucking against Brian’s car. I wanted to turn in the driveway and grab Justin away from Brian. I almost did, when that fucker Max waved at me and start making a phone call. At least it made Brian stop molesting Justin, but I also knew I had to get out of here.

 

Max must have called the police yesterday when we were all at the school. One of the other parents called to tell me a police officer was looking for me. I wanted to go find Max and tell him to butt out. He is only making it harder for Justin and me to be together. I knew Max would use it to get me in trouble.

 

Maybe it’s time to go to my parent's vacation house and get a plan together. I also want to have the house stocked and ready for us to stay for a while. I called Lynette and told her I need to borrow her car, I don’t want to get stopped by the cops because Max is being a dick and will be following my car.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin and I were saying good-bye in the driveway, when I hear Max telling the police Linds is in front of the house. I look up in time to see her driving away. I wanted to know how she got that close and they didn’t catch her.

 

“It’s a matter of having her and the police in the same place at the same time. We are watching the house and the grounds. I’ll have one of the guys drive around the neighborhood from now on. Although maybe you two could confine the makeout sessions to inside the house.” Max tell me.

 

“Justin and the girls are going to meet me at Kinnetik today for lunch. Justin can’t stay in the house like a prisoner all the time. Who’s picking up Gus and JR?” I ask both Justin and Max.

 

“Mel is taking some vacation time, she is between cases right now. I brought Leslie to watch over her and the kids.” Max tells us.

 

“Maybe we should take the kids and go somewhere this week, the kids have a three day weekend,” Justin suggests.

 

“Why not go to the loft in New York? We can take the kids around and you could shop at Armani.” Justin suggest.

 

I knew I married Justin for a reason. Justin also suggested that Jen could come and help scout locations for Gabriel. I told Max to make it possible. We need to get away from the Pitts. Max told us not to tell anyone our plans and it would be doable. I told him Mel would have to know if we took Gus. Max said Mel would know not to tell anyone. I told Max he could watch the road for Linds while I finished making out with Justin.

 

TED

 

Blake, Austin, and I were meeting Emmett at the diner this morning. Emmett told us Michael was looking for bail last night. Michael seems to think Babylon was neutral in the ‘Michael Novotny can’t be in any property Brian owns’ restraining order.

 

“Did he get anybody to help him?” I asked.

 

“No. Deb let him stew. I told him to get a counselor. I think Carl had to remind him calling Brian would just add more time in the cell. Michael spent all his time convinced Brian would rescue him. Teddy, I’m really worried about Michael. I wanted to help him but I know it’s time to let him sink or swim.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Emmett, it’s sink. Michael thinks he isn’t doing anything wrong.” I tell Emmett.

 

“I think it’s because Brian was always protecting him. Michael took it as his right to know and be involved in everything to do with Brian.” Emmett tells us.

 

“I think Michael is scared of change. Think about it Emmett, any change and Michael becomes a child in an adult's body.” I tell him.

 

“I think you’re both overthinking it. Michael wants everything his way and if he doesn’t get it, he tries to force his way in. Everyone has to do what Michael wants or we deal with arms folded in front of him and pissy Michael for the night. I see it because I wasn’t a part of your group and have a low tolerance for bullshit.” Blake tells us.

 

Emmett and I think of all the times Michael did the things Blake mentioned. I remember him standing on the stairs at Babylon with Ben, Emmett, and me. Michael did exactly what Blake described. It also happened at David’s party, and when he found out about Mel splitting with Linds. I think Blake is right, we all stopped noticing Michael’s tantrums.

 

“Michael acting like a petulant child is his problem, we have our own families,” Blake tells us.

 

“Who the fuck do you think you are telling Emmett and Ted not to help me?” Great, Michael is here.

 

“I’m an adult who takes care of my family, Michael,” Blake tells Michael.

 

“No, you’re a drug addict, who is telling my friends to abandon me.” Michael folds those arms and whines.

 

“Yes, I was a drug addict Michael. But I got treatment and was able to pull my life together. You, on the other hand, seems to think if you push and shove everyone around, they will forgive you. As I said, I don’t really care. If you're not Ted or Austin, I don’t have time for you. Now if you want to still have friends left, I suggest you get some treatment yourself before all your friends join Michael Anonymous.” Blake tells him before he and I get up. Blake to drop Austin off at daycare and hang out with the drug counselors he works with, me to get to work at Kinnetik.

 

LINDS

 

I drove out to my parent's vacation house, my parents were there with some friends. They are going to ruin my plans for Justin. I tried to convince them to go home. Mother told me either stay and meet some eligible men or leave. I told her Mel and I ended our relationship and I hope to start a new one with Justin. Mother was thrilled, it was a man. She wanted to know all about him.

 

“He comes from a good family, works hard, and is making his mark on the art world. I met him when Gus was born. We want to have a child together soon.” I tell her.

 

“He doesn’t mind your past?” Mother asks.

 

I tell her he and I both want to get away from the past and work on a future. I hope to get married soon and that we will be living in a loft he owns in New York. She asked when I was going to introduce him to her and daddy. I told her I would bring him over for dinner soon. Mother told me to stay for the weekend, we could start planning the wedding.

 

Mother and I left and started shopping for my dress. Mother was practically shoving money at people to help get the wedding planned. She told me I had to look my best and she was going to see that I got what I wanted for my wedding. Mother even offered to buy us a house in her neighborhood. I finally did something my mother approved of.

 

JUSTIN

 

I was excited that we were going to New York for the weekend. I get to have some freedom. Peter wanted me to do an interview while we were there but otherwise, our time was to have fun. JR had a party and sleepover with her friends, so Gus was the only one coming with us. Mom told me she would take the kids Saturday morning and Brian and I could meet them for lunch. I told Brian.

 

“You tell Mommy she has a deal. I’ll even throw in a spa day on Sunday, as a thank-you for helping me keep you naked till noon.” Brian has been trying to make my mother blush, so far she’s winning.

 

I was putting lunch for the girls out when I hear Michael in the lobby trying to get into the building. Is there some smoke signal outside that says to Michael and Linds ‘Please come and ruin our day’?

 

“Look, I'll stand right outside the door but could you just tell Brian I'm here. It’s important that he listens to me.” Michael tells the security guard.

 

“Mr Novotny, you need to leave the premises.” He tells Michael.

 

“BRIAN, I HAVE TO TALK TO YOU. “ Michael shouts.

 

“Mr Novotny please leave now.” The guard tells him.

 

Michael is trying to get around the guard. Max walks outside and grabs Michael by the arm. Michael tried to get free, telling everyone Brian needs to talk to him. Carl pulls up to the front and Max helps get Michael in the car. Michael is still yelling for Brian to help him.

 

“What wrong with dat man?” Victoria asked Brian.

 

“That’s what Daddy wants to know,” Brian tells her.

 

I think it’s what we all want to know.

 

Chapter 22 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

We were able to get Gus and leave town on Thursday night. Justin was excited to go to New York.

 

“I loved being in New York but I wanted us to live in the house because it was the first time I knew you really wanted a future with me. Do you ever wish we had stayed in New York?” Justin asks me.

 

“Right now, with all the shit that’s going on, yes, but I wanted the kids to be able to see grass and trees without having to go the park. I also wanted to be closer to Gus. He’s growing up and I wanted to be able to see him. Once we get Linds and Michael totally out of our lives, we can have the life we wanted.” I tell Justin.

 

“They’re out of our lives for the next three days. I can take the kids to FAO Schwarz tomorrow, you can shop at Armani and Hugo Boss, then I want to meet up at Carnegie Deli for lunch. Gus and I need cheesecake. Peter arranged for the reporter to interview me in a conference room in his office tonight. I told him I wasn’t here to work after the interview. We can arrange to have dinner with Gabriel at the loft tonight if you want.” Justin tells me.

 

Justin really needed to get away. I listened to him talk about what we are going to do, and can see what the strain of the last couple of days was doing to him. If I thought moving back to New York would help, I would have packed us up immediately and done it, but Michael and Linds would just show up here. Although, if Gabriel and I keep landing accounts the way we have been, Kinnetik International is looking like a possibility. Justin and I could live anywhere we wanted. My only concern would be Gus and moving so far from him. I also don’t want the girls away from their grandmothers. Justin and I are definitely not going to be the ones to explain the girly things.

 

JUSTIN

 

The interview was painless. They wanted to know about the bashing and how I overcame having to relearn how to draw. They also wanted to talk about my moving away from New York and why I chose to live in Pittsburgh. We talked about my relationship with Brian, and becoming a father, while still maintaining success as a painter. I don’t like talking about the bashing but Brian told me people see it as me dealing with adversity and overcoming obstacles and it makes my art seem like a miracle. That’s why it’s brought up in every interview. I told him people should be more interested in my art, not my life.

 

Gabriel joined us for dinner at the loft. Brian ordered in since I couldn’t cook dinner. The kids ate earlier, so we could put them to bed and it left us free to talk. I’ve never met Gabriel. I've talked to him when he’s called the loft, but when we were moving to Britin he was moving to New York. Brian hired Gabriel so he would have someone in Pittsburgh while Brian was with me in New York. Gabriel is built like Brian, but he has sandy blond hair and gray colored eyes. Gabriel doesn’t have the rough edges Brian does, he’s easy going.

 

I planned to work on a painting after dinner, it was to give them a chance to talk business. I haven’t been working on anything lately. This whole thing with Linds has made it so I couldn’t work. At dinner watching Brian and Gabriel talk and seeing the differences in their personalities gave me the idea to do a series, showing the duality of friendship and life.  

 

LINDS

 

I told my mother I needed to go back to Pittsburgh to see Justin. She told me to stay at their house. She and Daddy are staying with their friends for a week. Mother told me to nail down a date for the wedding and let her know as soon as we decide. She wants to rent the place they had Lynette’s fourth wedding.

 

I got to their house and wanted to check online for any buzz on Justin. I noticed he did an interview and it was going to be on tonight. Justin should have called and told me. I’m tired of having to get the information second hand. It’s starting to upset me that Justin isn’t trying to find a way to see me; it’s like he is avoiding me. I shake off that thought. I know Justin is being held hostage by Brian and Max.

 

I set my phone alarm, so I can see the interview.

 

MICHAEL

 

Carl told me I was staying in jail. I have to appear before a judge because I violated the fucking restraining order twice in one day.

 

“I didn’t go into Kinnetik, I stood on the sidewalk and asked to have Brian speak to me. I know if we could talk to each other, Brian would realize he didn’t need a restraining order. We’re best friends.” I tell Carl.

 

“Michael, a friend doesn’t sneak around and violate someone's privacy. A friend would understand when Brian doesn’t answer a phone call, to leave a message, not call twenty more times. A friend doesn’t stand at Brian’s loft and hold down the buzzer while calling continuously to invite himself to spend the night. A friend doesn’t ignore when Brian tells you he wants to spend time with his family and not you. A friend doesn’t ruin his marriage to chase Brian. Do you want to know what you're doing is called?” Carl asks me.

 

“I didn’t sneak around, I was hanging out in the loft the way I used to. Brian sometimes puts his phone on low, so I have to call a lot to get through. Justin should have let me hang out with them, and he is the reason Brian has to constantly turn down my invitations. Ben is being a drama queen and will get over it. See, everything has an explanation.”  I tell Carl.

 

“I asked, do you want to know what, as a detective, we call what you're doing?” Carl asks me again.

 

“Sure Carl, I call it trying to be a friend, what do you call it?” I snark at him.

 

“We actually have a legal term for it, it’s STALKING,” Carl tells me. “Normally we have to prove the stalking is happening, in your case, I just need to wait for the phone calls when you violate the restraining order.”

 

“Stalker’s are crazy people who don’t understand the other person wants to be left alone,” I tell Carl.

 

“You're right Michael, and maybe if you stop and think about it, you’ll realize you're turning into the crazy person who won’t leave the other person alone,” Carl says as he walks out the door.

 

I don’t do that. I mean I know Brian tells me he wants to spend time with Justin and the kids, but he doesn’t mean all the time. Okay, I do call a lot but Brian won’t answer me, so I keep calling. I know I should have told him I was hanging out at the loft, but he might have said no. Ben was just upset because I kind of drugged him. Oh God, what am I doing?

 

LINDS

 

I was sitting in the living room, making a gift registry for Justin and I. I want real gifts this time, not the crap the idiots from Pittsburgh gave me and Mel. My phone went off and I turned on the interview. The first thing I see is Justin smiling at me.

 

Reporter:

 

Today, I’m interviewing painter Justin Taylor. Good evening Justin, and thank you for taking the time to talk to us tonight. You’re very accomplished for someone of your age. What do you attribute your success to?

 

Justin:

 

I learned never to give up. That I might not impress everyone but my work isn’t about making a splash, it’s my way of expressing my thoughts and feelings. I’m happy to just paint, people liking my work and wanting to see it, well it’s nice.

 

Reporter:

 

In your bio, we learn you were attacked by a classmate who didn’t like that you were gay. How did that affect your life and your art?

 

Justin:

 

I don’t remember over a week of my life. I only remember bits and pieces of the actual attack. For a while, I had a hard time with having too many people around me and had constant nightmares. I was ready to hide from the world and give up art completely. When I was in occupational therapy after the attack it was a struggle. At first, it was all I could do to hold a paperclip in my hand, but then I realized that I wanted to draw again, so I didn’t give in to anybody telling me I couldn’t achieve my dreams.

 

Reporter:

 

What played the biggest part in you achieving your goals?

 

Justin:

 

My mother and my husband Brian. They wouldn’t let me give up. My mom had to let me go so I could heal. Brian pushed me to face the things I was afraid of. I was going to quit school because I couldn’t do the work, but Brian found a computer that would put less stress on my hand. I wasn’t going to use it, because I associated it with playing at art. I remember meeting artist Adrienne Bennett and she was paralyzed from the neck down in an accident but she was still painting, it made me realize there was more to art than using a pencil and paper, it was about creation. I went home and started working.

 

Reporter:

 

You and your husband have children, and instead of staying in New York, you moved away. Most artists want to move here. What made you decide to move away?

 

Justin:

 

I wanted my children to know their grandmothers and I wanted to live somewhere with a yard. Brian and I bought a house before I moved to New York and we always intended to use it. When our daughters were born we decided to go home. I felt I was established enough to have what I wanted, my family, my dream home, and my career.

 

Reporter:

 

Obviously, you found the right formula. You're able to be a father and an artist. Is there anything you could point to and say it is the reason for your success?

 

Justin:

 

Brian and my children are the biggest reasons. They inspire me. Brian never let me give up. When the decision to leave him and Pittsburgh was made, he found a way to make our relationship work. Brian believes in me and my art and it makes me a better father, artist, and person.

 

I stopped watching after Justin ignored the fact that I’m the one who pushed him to be an artist. I was the one, not BRIAN FUCKING KINNEY, but ME. Justin better start telling people how important I am to him. Justin made a mistake by telling that reporter Brian was the reason he achieved success.

 

Chapter 23 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Cover your eye when you get to the end of this, I was kind of creeped out, myself.

JUSTIN

 

I have to say, cheesecake is amazing. Gus and I were in food heaven. Brian offered to buy a whole one and I had to sadly tell him no. I don’t want to have to work out. Brian wanted to take Gus to Armani. He thought it was time to introduce his son to fashion. Gus told him fashion could wait, but the toy store was a must. Brian told me he was going to have to wait for the girls to grow up.

 

Saturday was like the times before Brian and I had kids. Between the times Brian tried to put me into a coma from orgasms, I sketched and painted. Brian sat behind me to watch me work. I told him we need to have 'naked day' more often.

 

My mother took the kids to the Museum of Natural History. She told us it’s more kid-friendly. She asked if we had a good morning.

 

“Mommy, anytime I get Justin alone it’s a good morning,” Brian smirked at her.

 

“Brian, you need to learn why closets and the pantry were invented.” My mother smirks back at him.

 

“Closets are fine, but I need room to maneuver. Justin is flexible but I don’t want to put my back out having to lift him,” Brian really needs to stop trying to outsmart my mom.

 

“All I can say is, get to the gym and carrying him around won’t be an issue.” She tells him.

 

“You do have a point, I could install a heavy duty bar in the closet. Then Justin could use it for leverage.” Brian tells my mom. My mom is trying not to blush, but well, Brian was determined.

 

“You win, this one,” Mom says, laughing.

 

We took the kids to lunch, Mom was going with Gabriel to scout some locations. Brian decided we could have a family movie night. The whole weekend reminded us of what we wanted.

 

MAX

 

I listened to Linds’s messages on Justin’s phone. Something caused her to pull Justin from the pedestal she had him on. I talked to a friend in the BAU and he told me as long as Justin didn’t do anything to disillusion Linds, she wouldn’t want to hurt him. The minute something he does goes against her beliefs, she is going to start aiming her anger at him. This phone call is the fall we’ve been waiting for.

 

“Justin, what the fuck would make you tell that reporter Brian was your inspiration? I was the one who encouraged you to keep painting, not fucking Brian. Why are you telling people Brian is your inspiration? I was there the whole time trying to make sure you could work and fucking create. I’m the only fucking person who believed in you. Brian doesn’t deserve any credit for what I was doing. Brian was too busy fucking his way through Pittsburgh to give a damn if you ever woke up from a coma. Brian didn’t stand by you when Michael was treating you like crap, I DID. WHY WOULD YOU HURT ME BY SAYING BRIAN IS THE REASON YOU'RE AN ARTIST. BRIAN WAS ALWAYS KICKING YOU OUT AND I WAS THE ONE WHO TOOK YOU IN AND STAYED YOUR FRIEND. YOU NEED TO FUCKING CALL THAT REPORTER AND TELL HIM IT WAS ME. I AM TIRED OF HAVING TO DO ALL THE WORK TO KEEP OUR RELATIONSHIP ON TRACK. YOU'RE GOING TO START HELPING TO PLAN OUR FUCKING WEDDING AND WE ARE GOING TO MEET WITH MY PARENTS AS SOON AS YOU CONTACT ME.” The message was cut off. Linds wasn’t through with her comments though.

 

“Justin, I’m sorry I had to be harsh on the last message but it feels like you’re pulling away from me. Stop listening to Max and Brian. They don’t understand that we belong together. Did Brian tell you to say those things in the interview? I forgive you for not telling the reporter it was me who inspired you. I also need you to call because my mother and father would like us to come to dinner and plan the wedding. We need to nail down a date, so we can rent the hall and arrange the wedding with a planner. I don’t want to use Emmett. I want it to be a beautiful wedding. I also think you need to tell your mother that unless she can support us, she isn’t going to be invited. I guess I should just go ahead and include Daphne and anybody from the gang in that.” It cut her off again. I have her traced to Pittsburgh and it looks like the area her parents live.

 

“Justin if you would FUCKING PICK UP THE PHONE, I WOULDN’T HAVE TO KEEP CALLING BACK. MAYBE IF YOU WOULD GET RID OF THE GOD DAMN WATCHDOGS, WE COULD TALK. IT’S LIKE YOU WANT TO PISS ME OFF. PICK UP THE FUCKING PHONE JUSTIN.” Linds hangs up.

 

Carl called and told us she is at her parents' house. Carl is waiting for her to answer the door. We have her for violating the restraining order but if she can find someone to bail her out, it’s going to be a mess trying to contain her. Linds called again.

 

“Justin, please call me. I know if we can talk, everything will be okay. Come to me. I’ll take care of everything... Carl, what are you doing here? What do you mean arrest me? What have I done? Don’t you dare touch me, my father will get a lawyer that will sue you to the ground. I don’t care what Brian thinks, Justin needs me to take care of him. I’m not going with you…” The phone cuts off.

 

Brian and Justin are on their way home, I want to give them a chance to get home before we have to discuss what happens next.

 

BRIAN

 

We were pulling into the driveway and Max was waiting. What the hell happened now? Max tells Justin that Allen will watch the kids. Allen is waiting and takes Gus and the girls inside. I guess we didn’t stay away long enough because Justin’s shoulders are tense again.

 

“We need to talk. Linds was taken in an hour ago. I need to know what could cause her to think you aren’t giving her credit for her part in your life.” Max asks Justin. Justin was about to get defensive. I tell Max we need to go inside and discuss this. I told Max to give Justin and I a minute alone and then we can talk. Justin walks into the office and I pull him to me.

 

“No matter what happened, you know you didn’t do anything. None of this is your fault. I need you to remember that. Max isn’t saying this is your fault, he just needs to figure out why Linds did whatever she did.” I put our foreheads together and make him look me in the eye.

 

“Why does it feel like everything I do is causing Linds to react this way?” Justin asks me.

 

“Justin, don’t try to understand crazy, just accept that she is doing this to herself, you never did anything that caused this.” I feel him relax.

 

I called Max in so we could hear what happened while we were gone.

 

“Justin, you did an interview this week?” Max asks Justin.

 

“It was a small human interest piece. I don’t even think it was more than a couple minutes long. Why?” Justin asks Max.

 

“We think Linds saw the interview, Peter is sending it to your email so we can watch it together. I have a friend in the BAU, we need to send it to him too. Kell wants to talk to both of you.” Max tells us.

 

I pull up the email and forward it to Kell. Max called him and put him on speaker phone. We watched the clip, it was less than five minutes. I wanted to kiss Justin for what he said but Max and Kell were talking, and we needed to listen.

 

“It was Justin giving all the credit to Brian. That explains the messages. When was this interview done?” Kell asks.

 

“Thursday, but they didn’t play it till last night. I forgot to watch it.” Justin tells Kell and Max.

 

“When did the phone calls start?” Kell asks Max.

 

“Maybe an hour and a half ago. She was still calling Justin every day, but it was like a reminder to call her. I forwarded the calls to you. Right now I’m concerned she is going to escalate. The detective here, Carl Horvath, told me her parents or sister could bail her out. She is only violating the restraining order to not contact Justin. If she spins this right with her family, she could be out tonight or tomorrow.” Max tells Kell.

 

“Any chance we can move Justin and his family to a secure location?” Kell asks Max.

 

“This house has better security than the FBI does, but it might be something to talk about,” Max tells Kell.

 

“I’m not going to be run out of my home. I’ll do whatever you ask, but I'm not leaving my house.” Justin tells all of us.

 

“Justin, stalkers tend to protect you until you do anything that shatters their fantasy. Then every rejection becomes magnified. She is going to blame you when you don’t agree with her or do what she believes is the reality. She just knocked you off the pedestal she put you on because you simply said Brian was your inspiration. She was able to keep her fantasy until she heard from your lips that she wasn’t important. If you don’t want to leave your house then listen to Max. Don’t let Linds convince you to meet her. If you see her, run, do not walk away.” Kell tells Justin.

 

“What is it going to take to stop this shit?” I ask them. They are going to find a way to get her out of Justin’s life.

 

“She is going to have to be caught trying to harm Justin or someone else, trying to get to Justin,” Kell tells me.

 

“Are you telling me that all the restraining orders are fucking useless.” I can’t help that I sound angry.

 

“No. The real problem is she isn’t threatening to harm anyone. If she threatened to harm you or anybody in Justin’s life, we would have more leverage. She will be ordered to seek treatment because of the phone calls, and if she calls after that, any judge will put her in jail. It’s a waiting game.” Kell tells us.

 

Justin tells them he doesn’t want to hear any more. I agree.

 

LINDS

 

Carl is going to wish he never messed with me. My father is going to fucking own the police station when he gets through. I told them unless my lawyer or Justin came through the interview room door, I wasn’t going to talk to anyone. Justin better show the hell up and straighten this out. They brought in a psychologist, Alex Wilder, to talk to me. Talk about a waste of taxpayers money.

 

“Linds, until they set bail, you’re staying here. You violated the restraining order, both when you waited at the school for the children and by the constant phone calls. Regardless of what you think, Justin doesn’t want what you do. I want to help you, but unless you can admit your fantasies about Justin are just that, fantasies, I can’t be of any help to you. Look at the reason you’re here. If Justin wanted what you wanted, wouldn’t he be here?” Alex asks.

 

“Justin would be here if everyone wasn’t trying to keep us apart,” I tell the idiot.

 

“Linds, Justin doesn’t want you to be together. He has told you in every way possible. We need to figure out how to get you to understand, you're projecting your wants on Justin.” Alex tells me.

 

“You know what I want? For you to get your ass out of this room and go play therapist to someone who needs help,” I tell him.

 

Alex gets up and tells me to call if I want to get better. I was so fucking angry, I grabbed the pen that was lying on the desk and was going to stab him with it. Carl grabbed me and got the pen away. Carl asked the officer to handcuff me to the desk.

 

“Oh Alex, if I see you anywhere, it won’t be a pen I use,” I tell the asshole.

Chapter 24 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I want to again shout out a thanks to Lorie for all her time today,

MAX

 

Kell was coming to Pittsburgh. He told us Linds is someone to study.

 

“I don’t care if you lock her in a cage and keep cameras in the room. This isn’t a case study, it’s a fucking lunatic messing with my family.” Brian tells Kell.

 

“I understand you're frustrated that we can’t just lock her up and throw away the key. I just meant that she managed to keep from escalating for ten years. A person doesn’t suddenly become a stalker.” Kell tells Brian.

 

Brian got up and left the room. Kell told me he would be here in a few hours. I needed to get to the police station and see what was going on. I want to be able to tell them it’s almost over, but if she can convince someone to help her, we are stuck in wait mode again.

 

At the police station, Carl tells me what Linds tried to do. I ask to see the video.

 

“Did you see her smile while telling Alex, it wouldn’t be a pen next time?” Carl asks me.

 

“Carl, I have a friend from the BAU coming in, can we get permission for him to be involved in this?” I ask.

 

“I don’t think it’ll be a problem, the problem we have right now is her father is sending in an attorney. We can’t talk to her without him present.” Carl tells me.

 

I wanted Kell to have a chance to talk to her. I guess we can still try, but an attorney is going to make it difficult.

 

LINDS

 

I finally got to call Daddy. I told him that Mel and Brian were causing problems about Gus and filed a restraining order. I just wanted to see my child, was that so bad. Daddy told me not to worry he would send someone to get me out. I knew he would help me. I told Carl that until my attorney arrived they needed to leave me alone.

 

Dean McAllister showed up and told them to get the handcuffs off. I smirked at the officer as he took them off. Dean told me to let him read the file and then we could talk.

 

“Linds, I was told this was about child custody. Why are you being charged with violating a restraining order, for not only Gus but for Justin Taylor?” Dean asks me.

 

“Justin’s husband wants to keep Justin from leaving to be with me. They are trying to discredit me so Justin and I can’t be together.” I tell Dean.

 

“Linds, you're being accused of stalking. This isn’t a silly little charge, if they can prove any of this, it could mean jail time.” Dean tells me.

 

“I’m not stalking Justin. We want to get married. It’s Brian Kinney who is trying to make it so Justin can’t leave him. If someone could just get Justin to talk to them without anyone else around you’d see I’m right.” I tell Dean.

 

“I’m going to try and get them to set bail. But it would be best for you not to contact Justin. I’ll try to talk to him and see if we can clear this up.” Dean tells me.

 

I hope this doesn’t take long. I want to get back to planning the wedding.

 

NANCY

 

I was telling my friend Claire about the plans for Linds’s wedding. I’ve already spent quite a bit to make this an event. Claire was happy for Linds. I told her Linds was going to marry a famous artist.

 

“Is it anyone we know?” Claire asked me.

 

“His name is Justin Taylor. I know his art but won’t meet him until we have dinner with Linds and him.” I was showing off.

 

“Are you sure she said, Justin Taylor?” Claire looks confused.

 

“That’s the name Linds gave us. Why, do you know something about him?” I ask Claire.

 

“If it’s the Justin Taylor, I know Linds has to be mistaken. Justin is gay, and married.” Claire tells me.

 

“She said he’s from Pittsburgh and he comes from a good family. I doubt it's the same person you know. Linds and her Justin are planning to have a child together as soon as possible.” I tell Claire. I don’t want her spreading gossip about my soon to be son-in-law.

 

“Maybe it’s not the same person, but the only artist I know named Justin Taylor is married to Brian Kinney and I'm pretty sure they have children together,” Claire told me. I tried to remain calm. I know that Brian is Gus’s father.

 

“Well, it’s not important right now. Why don’t we join everyone else.” I tell her. I need to talk to Ron.

 

I found Ron talking on his phone. I tried to interrupt but he told me to shut up, Linds was in some kind of trouble because Mel and Brian are trying to keep her away from Gus. I waited patiently for him to get off the phone. Ron hung up and immediately called Dean. Linds was arrested for trying to see Gus was all I got from the phone calls. Ron told me he’d have Linds out before anyone found out. I told Ron about the conversation I had with Claire. We needed to find out who Justin Taylor was. I was praying Claire was wrong. I had been bragging to everyone about Linds’s engagement. If Justin is really gay, and married already, we are going to look like laughing stocks to everyone. I even ordered the announcement to be in the paper tomorrow. My God how will I ever show my face again if Linds lied to us.

 

MICHAEL

 

I need to talk to someone, I decided Blake would work. I called him at the clinic and asked if we could talk.

 

“Michael if you want to whine or complain, don’t come to the clinic. If you seriously want advice, I’ll try but I’m not qualified to help you.” Blake tells me.

 

“I just need someone to listen and not judge me.” I tell Blake.

 

“Don’t make me regret saying yes. I'll be at the clinic waiting.” Blake tells me.

 

I got a bus and went into the clinic, Blake told me to wait in his office. I watched him talking to some guy. Blake was really kind to him. I wanted to tell Blake they should be tougher on these people. They do the drugs that get them in trouble, but I figured he would tell me to leave.

 

“Okay Michael, I have about an hour then I have to leave to pick up Austin. What did you want to talk about?” Blake asks me.

 

“I want to know why everyone thinks I’m stalking Brian?” I really don’t understand it.

 

“Michael, this would be better if you talk to someone qualified for treating you.” Blake tells me.

 

“Well, you're a counselor, can’t you at least try?” I mean, he helps other people.

 

“Michael, this is my personal view. Not as a counselor as you put it, but as an observer of your actions. You believe Brian wants you but he held himself back out of friendship. What I saw was that Brian has always treated you like a brother. There might have been some interactions where you could have mistaken his motives but in the end, it’s obvious he couldn’t love you the way you wanted. Instead of being happy with Ben, you continued to pursue Brian, and ruined the healthy relationship you had with Ben. When you could have fixed the cracks in your relationship, you instead tried to get Brian to save you. You treated Brian’s life like it didn’t exist outside of the ‘Brian and Mikey show’. Brian couldn’t be your friend because you want more than he can give you. Michael, I am going to say this and hope you take it the way it’s intended. Brian isn’t going to leave Justin for you, ever. Brian is in love with Justin and probably has been from almost the beginning, all he ever felt for you was the love a brother would feel.” Blake tells me.

 

“Brian has offered me more Blake. We always said we’d be two old queens living in Palm Springs one day. We have kids in common, and I get he’s with Justin, but he loves me. He told me he always has and always will. Don’t you see?” I tell him.

 

“When did Brian tell you that you would be two old queens living in Palm Springs?” Blake asks me.

 

“He used to say it all the time but it started soon after we met.” I tell Blake.

 

“At the time, Brian probably didn’t see a relationship in his future, so he figured you guys would still be single and hanging out. Brian wasn’t referring to a relationship but to your friendship. If Brian had wanted more I think he would have stopped you from getting married to Ben. From what Ted told me, Brian practically threw your wedding for you. Michael, stop trying to make everything Brian ever did about him loving you, and see it as he cared for his friend. If you want to be able to have Brian in your life you need to show him you can do as he asks and leave him alone. If you do that, one day you might be able to be friends again.” Blake tells me.

 

I thank Blake for talking to me. Blake told me to seek some help from a counselor and get my life in order. I told Blake I would think about it. I could always talk to the psychiatrist that comes to Woody’s. I know Brian talks to him sometimes. He could help me at least get Brian to talk to me again.

 

LINDS

 

I was starting to get irritated. I should be out by now. Dean hasn’t even come back to talk to me. Carl was going to put me in a cell, I told him they would have to carry me out of the room.

 

“Linds, this isn’t a hotel stay, you're being charged with stalking, assault, and violation of the restraining order. If we tell you to go to the cell, you're going to a cell.” Carl tells me.

 

“My father is going to have your badge for this Carl.” I tell him.

 

Carl tells the officer to carry me if he has to. I decide to walk on my own, but I made sure to get every name so Dean could make sure they lose their jobs for treating me so badly. One officer wouldn’t give me his name. I told him my father would just make sure they all lost their jobs. He told me good luck with my wishful thinking. I slapped him.

 

“Well Linds, we can now add two assaults to the growing list of charges. Anything else you want to do to help us?” Carl tells me.

 

“Fuck off, Carl. When Justin and my father get here, you are going to wish you’d helped me.” I tell him.

 

“Linds, I wish I could tell everyone here I don’t know you. That I’ve never sat around a dinner table with you. I won’t get my wish any more than you will.” Carl slammed the cell door and left.

 

End Notes:

I won't be posting till late tomorrow night but I have the weekend off, I will most likey be finishing this one. I have one already itching to come out. It's going to be crack fic.

Chapter 25 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

DEAN

 

I called Ron and told him this wasn’t a simple misunderstanding. Linds already has three charges and the last two are serious enough that she could go to prison. Ron tells me he and Nancy are on their way home, and that I should meet them there.

 

“Ron, Linds suggested I talk to Justin, and that he would clear up the misunderstandings,” I tell him.

 

“Why don’t Nancy and I come with you? Maybe we could get them to let this go.” Ron tells me.

 

“Ron, all Justin could do is revoke his restraining order. The other charges are another restraining order Linds’s partner has, and an assault charge. Linds tried to stab the psychiatrist sent in to talk to her with a pen. I don’t think we can just sweep this under a rug.” I tell Ron.

 

“Look, meet us at our house and we’ll go to see Justin together. I doubt she was trying to harm anyone.” Ron tells me.

 

I agreed to wait for them and we could talk to Justin. Nancy and Ron arrived and we drove out to Justin Taylor’s residence. I told Ron and Nancy that Linds felt if we were able to talk to Justin alone, he could help her case.

 

“Is this the house?” Nancy asked me.

 

“It’s the address on the restraining order,” I told them.

 

“Linds was right, that Justin has done well for himself. I’m sure once we talk to him, everything will be fine.” Nancy tells Ron.

 

“Nancy, this house is owned by both Mr Taylor and Mr Kinney,” I tell her.

 

Nancy told me it didn’t matter. We walked up to the door and ring the bell. The man answering the door asked us to state our business. Nancy bristled at the way he said it.

 

“We would like to speak to Justin Taylor. Please be courteous enough to let him know that Nancy and Ron Peterson are here and that we would like to speak to him alone.” Nancy told the man.

 

“I’ll have to see if he is willing to see guests, and may I have your name?” He asks me.

 

“Dean McAllister, Linds’s attorney,” I tell him.

 

The man leads us to a room and tells us he’ll let Justin know we are here. Nancy seems fascinated with the room. She tells Ron that Justin must be doing very well to have a house like this. I’m already regretting helping them. Nancy is more concerned with Justin’s material wealth than her daughter.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian was reading the paper and he told me, “Congratulations, you’re getting married. Linds’s mother just announced your engagement to all of Pittsburgh.”

 

“Then they better be prepared to un-announce it,” I told Brian.

 

 

I was too happy to really care about the announcement. Max told me it could feed into Linds’s fantasy world. I told him, for now, I want to concentrate on the freedom to do things again. Linds being in jail is like a 'get out of jail' card for me. Max told me I still had to have someone with me but we could relax security as long as she has to sit her ass in jail. I wanted to shout 'FREEDOM' everywhere I went. Brian told me to enjoy it while I could because if she's released I go back to my cell.

 

I was thinking of all the things I could fit into a day for the girls and me when Max ruined my high. Apparently, when he went to answer the door, they wanted to see me.

 

“Justin, you have guests who would like to speak to you. They're asking to speak to you alone.” Max doesn't seem to like the idea.

 

“Who was at the door?” Brian asks him.

 

“An attorney, Dean McAllister, and Linds’s parents,” Max tells us.

 

“Why do they want to talk to me and why alone?” I ask him.

 

“They wouldn't tell me, just said they needed to see you and would like it to be alone,” Max tells me.

 

“I don’t want you to talk to them, Justin,” Brian tells me.

 

“Guess we won't find out until I talk to them. Brian let me do this, give me five minutes. Then you can come in and kick them out if you want to.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, I would really prefer to be there,” Max tells me.

 

“If they are here to get Linds out, I will not just say no but FUCK NO. Give me five minutes, then come in the room. Are they in the den?” I ask Max.

 

Max nods his head and tells me he and Brian are going to stay outside the den door.  I told him to keep Brian from rushing into the room. I open the door and see them all standing around, looking like they are casing the room.

 

“Hi, can I help you?” I ask them.

 

“Young man we are waiting for Justin Taylor. Could you go tell him we need to see him?” The woman tells me. I assume this is Nancy.

 

“Well I would go tell myself to hurry, but since I’m already here, you want to tell me why you want to see me?” I know I was being an ass.

 

“I think we are looking for your father, is Justin Taylor senior here?” She really should check her facts.

 

“I am Justin Taylor, no senior or junior in the name. You have about five minutes before I walk out, so I suggest you sit down and tell me why you're in MY home.” I tried to sound all Waspy.

 

“Mr Taylor, I’m Linds’s attorney and was asked to speak to you on her behalf. She feels you could help her clear up the misunderstanding that caused her to be in this situation.” The attorney tells me.

 

“Well, the only misunderstanding Linds and I seem to have is in her delusional mind,” I tell them.

 

“Justin, if you need us to help you leave this house, I’ll make sure you go with us. Linds wants to begin your life together, and unless you help her, she could end up incarcerated.” Nancy tell me.

 

“Are you guys being serious?” I ask them.

 

“Justin, Linds and I spent the weekend planning your wedding. Linds wouldn’t have done all that unless you gave her a reason to think you wanted to marry her.” Nancy tells me.

 

“The only person I have EVER wanted to be married to is Brian Kinney. I don’t care if Linds is telling God himself we are getting married, it won’t make it true. In fact, if you’re here to plead for your daughter, you can walk right out the front door. I have been treated like a prisoner on lockdown in my own house because your daughter has decided to make my life hell.” I tell them.

 

“Justin, you need to think of how this will affect Linds and our family. I’m sure if you tell the police Linds misunderstood your intentions, everything will be fine. Ron and I don’t want to have to make this harder for you.” Nancy tells me.

 

“What could you and Ron do that your daughter already hasn’t?” I ask her.

 

“We would hate to have to tell our friends that you purposely tried to make us look bad,” Nancy tells me.

 

“Mr Taylor, can we please get back to the issue of Linds. Are you willing to help her?” Mr Attorney cuts in. Nancy isn’t pleased with him cutting her off.

 

“I think it’s time all of you understand the facts, and not the fantasy your daughter and your client has weaved. I’ve never been into pussy, will never want anything to do with it, and will never let my sperm enter her twat. I like COCK, in fact, I love it, what that means, in simple English is, I AM GAY. Linds is not my future anything, and I have never given her the impression I want anything AT ALL FROM HER. If you were stupid enough NANCY, to believe Linds, who normally prefers TWAT, that is your problem. My problem started the minute your daughter got the idea she should not only run my career but that she should also marry a gay man. I haven’t been able to even go to the FUCKING GROCERY STORE without security guards, because YOUR DAUGHTER IS FUCKING STALKING ME AND MY FAMILY. I had to leave fucking town because Linds decided to spend the night two houses away to try to see me. I WILL NOT HELP YOUR DAUGHTER, NOR WILL I KEEP YOUR FAMILY FROM THE EMBARRASSMENT YOU CAUSED YOURSELF BY PUTTING A WEDDING ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE PAPER THIS MORNING.” I was yelling but I’ve had it.

 

“Now, I would like for you to leave and never again darken any place I happen to be. Mr McAllister, I would suggest you brush up on the stalking laws in the State of Pennsylvania if you want to keep calling this ‘a misunderstanding’. By the way, my name is and has been Justin Taylor-Kinney for the last three years, and if I have any say in it, it will be my name for the rest of my life.” I tell them. Brian opens the door and is standing in the doorway smirking at them. He walks over and puts his arms around me and kisses me, he’s kind of a show-off.

 

“Brian, think of Gus. I’m sure you don’t him embarrassed by all of this.” Nancy tells him.

 

“Truthfully, Gus will be fine with Justin, Mel, and me as his parents, since Linds hasn’t bothered to see him. Wonder if she learned her parenting from you.” Brian tells her.

 

Nancy turned and walked out the door. The attorney is most likely wishing he never met the Petersons.

 

LINDS

 

I was told that my parents and attorney wanted to see me. I told the guard he should start looking for a security job at the Big Q. He told me I should worry about how to explain all the charges. I walked into the room with my parents and Dean.

 

“I can’t believe it takes this much time to clear up a misunderstanding.” I snark at Dean.

 

“We need to talk about how you want to defend yourself,” Dean tells me.

 

“I told you to talk to Justin and he would help me,” I tell them.

 

“Linds, we did talk to Justin, and he isn’t going to help you. We need to talk about why you lied to me about you and Justin getting married.” Mother tells me.

 

“Justin and I ARE getting married and you better not have said anything to upset him,” I tell her.

 

 

“Linds, first of all, he’s practically a child compared to you. Second of all he is gay and went very crudely into detail about it. I now have to find a way to make it sound like you wanted to postpone getting married until people forget I put an announcement in the paper. I don’t appreciate you causing me to embarrass myself like this.” Mother tells me.

 

I looked at my mother and thought of ways to shut her the hell up. They obviously upset Justin and he told them he didn’t want to be related to them. I thought I found someone who supported me, now she is the one causing more problems for me. I got up from the table and told Dean that we could talk in a minute. I walked to my mother and hugged her, then I pushed her into the wall. I just wanted to make her feel my pain. I don’t remember anything after she hit the wall. I just know I wanted to her to no longer be able to talk.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 26 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

KELL

 

I was told by Max to contact Detective Horvath. Max told me Linds had requested a lawyer. I wanted to watch the interview with the doctor, it was her first jump to violence.

 

I was directed to Detective Horvath’s office when I got to the station. I walked in to see the detective talking to a red-headed woman.

 

“You should let me talk to Linds, I’ll slap some sense into her.” The woman told him.

 

“Deb, she isn’t like your boys, she isn’t even the Linds you know anymore. Let us handle this; go find your son and slap some sense into him, he’s also acting like an idiot.” Carl tells her.

 

“Excuse me, Detective Horvath, I’m Kell Foster. I wanted to talk to you about Linds.” I interrupted them.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, I don’t think you’ll have much to do here. Linds has been racking up charges at an alarming rate. Oh, and I’d like you to meet my wife Debbie.” Carl tells me.

 

“Hello. If you need to know anything, come by the diner and I’ll fill you in and feed you. You look like you could eat.” Debbie tells me.

 

I thank Debbie, she then tells us she is going to look for stalker number two. I asked if Justin has another stalker.

 

“No. Sunshine got the bat shit crazy stalker, this one is Brian’s,” Debbie tells me.

 

“Are you worried about Brian’s stalker too?” I ask Carl.

 

“It’s my son Michael. He never progressed past the age of fourteen where Brian is concerned. Michael is too lazy to do any harm to Brian and Sunshine. I have to go Carl. Call me when you’re on your way and I’ll warm up dinner.” Debbie kisses Carl, pats me on the ass and leaves.

 

“Don’t mind Deb, she just mothers everyone. Like I was telling you, with the assault on Alex and attacking an officer, we have enough to keep her.” Carl tells me.

 

“I would still like to see the tapes and if possible be in the room if anyone interviews her. We are really interested in the sudden escalation in her stalking.” I tell Carl.

 

“Her parents just arrived with her lawyer, so we can’t talk to her yet,” Carl tells me.

 

“You know her personally. Tell me what you’ve seen.” I tell him.

 

“She was like most people. She lived with her partner Mel Marcus for over ten years and had two children. Debbie told me Linds could be prudish but other than that nothing sticks out.” Carl tells me.

 

“What about her interactions with Justin?” It’s the baseline I need to start with.

 

“You’d need to talk to their friends and Mel. I really never saw her with Justin. Truthfully, most people we see that have a stalker have had to file report after report. With Linds, it all started with the first restraining order.” Carl cuts off when we hear an officer yell to get some help.

 

I follow Carl out of the room. He tells me it’s the room Linds was in with her parents and the attorney. I hear a woman screaming.

 

“YOU DON’T GET TO TELL ME HOW TO RUN MY LIFE. I WISH YOU WOULD JUST SHUT THE HELL UP. EVERYONE IS WORKING AGAINST ME. YOU COULDN’T JUST WELCOME MY HUSBAND. NO, YOU HAD TO THROW YOUR OPINION IN. JUSTIN WOULD PROBABLY BE HERE IF YOU COULD LEARN TO SHUT YOUR MOUTH.” Linds has her mother pinned to the wall with her hands around her throat slamming her mother's head into the wall with each sentence. The mother isn't even responsive.

 

The officers are trying to get Linds to let go of her mother. The mother is like a rag doll being shaken, Linds had to have been choking her longer than it took for us to get here. In the room are two other men who are standing on the other side of the room seemingly in shock, just watching. Linds is still trying to kill her mother. I walk over and wrap my arms around her and pull her away.

 

“LET ME GO. I NEED TO MAKE SURE SHE CAN’T INTERFERE ANYMORE.” Linds is struggling and now trying to kick her mother’s lifeless body on the ground. Carl grabs handcuffs while I hold her in a bear hug. We finally get her restrained, Linds is still trying to get loose. Another officer starts CPR on the mother.

 

“How long was this going on before we got here?” Carl asks the lawyer.

 

“We were discussing her defense plan and she walked over to Nancy and was hugging her. Then it was like she just exploded.” Lind’s father tells us.

 

We were sitting there waiting for the EMT’s to arrive. The officer got the mother breathing, while Linds was ranting.

 

“STOP HELPING HER. I DON’T WANT HER TO UPSET JUSTIN ANYMORE. ALL SHE EVER DID WAS LOOK DOWN ON ME. SHE DESERVES TO NEVER BREATHE AGAIN. ALL I WANTED WAS TO HAVE THE PERFECT WEDDING AND SHE TELLS ME TO CANCEL IT. IT WAS MY FUCKING TURN. LYNETTE GOT FOUR WEDDINGS AND ALL I WANTED WAS THIS ONE. SHE FUCKING RUINED IT.” Linds was still ranting as they took her from the room.

 

Her mother was in bad shape. When we walked in she wasn’t even struggling anymore. Linds isn’t a huge woman, but the adrenaline made her superwoman. I told the two officers next time don’t try to pull her off, just dislodge her arms. Ron told the EMT’s Linds was slamming Nancy’s head against the wall and by the time she was choking her, Nancy wasn’t fighting her.

 

“What the hell were you doing when your daughter tried to kill your wife?” Carl asked them sarcastically.

 

“We were surprised, officer. I opened the door and got help as soon as I was able.” Ron tells Carl.

 

I told Carl not to try to reason with them. The lawyer told Ron to get a good criminal lawyer and have Linds committed to a reputable hospital because no friendship could make him defend Linds. With that said, the lawyer shook his head and left.

 

“You can tell Mel this is her problem,” Ron told Carl and left. Hopefully heading to the hospital with his wife.

 

I told Carl, the stalking is now the least of Linds’s worries.

 

MICHAEL

 

I waited around Woody’s for Alex Wilder to show up. I wanted to talk to him and get his opinion of the whole situation with Brian. Alex walked in and asked for a shot. I paid for it and he thanked me.

 

“Alex, I don’t know if you remember me. I'm Michael Novotny, Brian’s best friend.” I hope he remembers.

 

“Yes, Michael. I think everyone knows you're his best friend, you remind everyone constantly,” Alex tells me.

 

“I was hoping we could talk, I need help with Brian,” I tell him.

 

“I have office hours. Right now I need to relax. Brian’s friends are going to be the death of me.” Alex started muttering.

 

“All I want is your opinion, it’s not like you're doing anything important right now,” I tell him.

 

“My opinion is given during my office hours, for a fee. Now if you’ll excuse me.” Alex walked over to another guy waiting at a table.

 

I followed but decided to sit at another table. I hear that bitch Linds got herself put in jail. Man, I need to see her ass behind bars. Who’s the better person now. I walk out of the bar and head to the police station. There was an ambulance there and I saw them taking someone out of the station. I walked into the station and everyone was kind of frantic. I was looking for a way to see Linds. I walked up to one of the officers I knew would help me.

 

“I want to talk to Lindsay Peterson,” I tell him.

 

“She’s being locked down in a cell.” He tells me.

 

“Come on, I promise just to look in and get out of your way,” I tell him.

 

“Michael if you get caught I didn’t let you in there.” He tells me.

 

We walk to the holding cells and he let me slip in, it pays to have friends in the police department. I looked at Linds all by herself in a cell. I wanted to gloat and I was thrilled to be able to.

 

“Looks like your plan didn’t work. Then again, what do you expect from little miss ‘I’m better than everyone else’.” I sneer at her. Linds is staring at me but says nothing.

 

“Brian didn’t throw my ass in jail. I guess your smelly twat wasn’t that good.” She isn’t talking to me. I need to really take her down a notch.

 

“Must suck to know that Justin wasn’t willing to take one for the team and let you suck his dick.” I finally got a reaction.

 

“Michael can you come over to the bars, I need to tell you a secret Brian told me about you,” Linds tells me.

 

I walk over to hear what she has to say. Maybe Brian wants to see me. She tells me she needs to whisper it. I turn my head to let her whisper in my ear.

 

“Brian told me after seeing you naked that the idea of having to entertain himself with your tiny cock left him headed for the baths, looking for one he wouldn’t mistake for his pinky finger,” Linds whispers to me. Then she grabbed my head and starts trying to bite my ear off.

 

I was screaming and smacking her head trying to keep her from biting off my ear. Carl comes into the room and tells Linds to stop or he was going to pepper spray her. She lets go and I can feel the blood going down my neck. I look at her, she has blood around her mouth and she spits part of my ear at me. I was holding my ear and screaming from the pain.

 

“Kell can you stay here and make sure no one gets in this room with Linds, I have to take my idiot stepson to the emergency room. Michael shut the hell up.” Carl yells at me.

 

Carl and I went to the emergency room and the doctor told us I will just be missing a piece of my ear. He was worried about infection. Apparently, the human mouth is full of bacteria or something. I wanted to point out that Brian should be worried about Linds, not me.

 

 

Chapter 27 by starlight
Author's Notes:

It's time to wrap up one more chapter after this and I can relax. Lorie thank you for making changes that improved the stories.

JUSTIN

 

We were sitting around the house when Max got the call about Linds.

 

“I think I can officially say that your problems with Linds are over. Kell told me when he got to the station Linds was trying to kill her mother. Then Michael Novotny showed up and got someone to let him see her and she tried to bite his ear off. Kell said with all the charges, Linds won’t be seeing the outside world for a while.” Max tells us.

 

I sat there holding Beth and wondering what would have happened if she had been able to get to me. I had been trying to make this into Linds just being Linds. I’m glad I listened to everyone. I asked Max if we still needed security.

 

“I think keeping Allen here with you is a good idea, at least until she’s locked away, but I don’t think you need as much security as we’ve put around you,” Max tells us.

 

“I kind of want to see Michael. I bet he’s screaming like a girl,” I tell Brian.

 

“We need to worry about us and the kids. Michael needs to stop trying to hang on to a friendship that is over.” Brian doesn’t want to see Michael.

 

“Can we go to the diner now? I really want a milkshake and a burger.” I tell Brian.

 

“It always amazes me that you think I believe you are hungry when you're just trying to get gossip.” Brian kisses me and tells me to get ready.

 

I’ll admit I want to hear about Michael. I know Deb is going to be telling everyone about his latest bout of stupidity. I called Emmett while I was changing. Emmett told me he would meet me there.

 

MICHAEL

 

I really needed to talk to someone and Blake listened to me the last time, so I called him. Blake told me to come to the house. Everyone was staring at the bandage on my head as I rode the bus to Ted’s house. I rang the doorbell and Ted answered the door.

 

“Michael, what happened to you?” Ted asked me.

 

“That crazy bitch Linds tried to bite my ear off,” I tell Ted.

 

“Why were you close enough to Linds for her to bite you?” Ted acts like he’s never wanted to hear a secret.

 

“Look, can I talk to Blake?” I tell Ted.

 

Ted tells me he is going to take Austin with him to go meet Emmett. I wait for Ted to leave. Blake tells me to have a seat and even brings me a drink. I think Blake would help me more than any paid counselor.

 

“What did you need to talk about?” Blake asks me.

 

“I tried to talk to a psychiatrist I know but he wouldn’t talk to me without an appointment. After you and I talked the last time I felt better and figured you could help me. I know you said you’re not that kind of counselor, but you listened and that is what I need.” I tell him. I think Blake and I could be friends.

 

“Michael, I can’t treat you, I’m a drug abuse counselor. I’ll listen if you need to talk, but you need to understand, nothing I say comes from a counselor but from the spouse of your friend. If you can do that, we can talk.” Blake tells me.

 

“I went to see Linds earlier and it was to taunt her. I know it was wrong, but she spends all her time putting me down. I thought it was my turn. I kept trying to get her to react and finally, she tells me she has a secret to tell me. Then she tried to bite my ear off. I think you guys should tell Brian he needs to worry about her, not me.” I tell Blake.

 

“Michael, if you hadn’t been so self-absorbed, you would have been told about Linds stalking Justin. She isn’t rational, and anything that you said to her was going to get her to react. This isn’t about your best friend, but about Justin. Brian has been so worried sick about Linds hurting his family that you're not even a passing thought right now.” Blake can’t believe Brian would forget me.

 

“Do you think he would drop the order against me?” I ask Blake.

 

“Michael, stop worrying about yourself and maybe check on your daughter. JR is losing one of her mothers. She needs her parents, and it would go a long way in showing your concern if you were looking out for someone else's welfare, and not just for what you want.” Blake tells me.

 

“I can do that, plus Brian and I could help Gus with this. You know, that is a great idea.” I get up to run to Mel’s house. Blake is saying something about that isn’t what he meant. I call Mel and tell her I want to see JR.

 

“Michael you still have supervised visitation. I have someone here who can stay with you, but I have to go to the police station. You can stay for an hour, but I want you gone when I return.” Mel tells me.

 

“Look, I want to make sure JR is okay. You're the one who married the crazy bitch and made her JR’s mother.” I tell her.

 

Mel tells me Leslie will be waiting and that I have to stay at the house with JR. I told her I would watch Gus too. I was hoping Brian and I could help the kids together. Mel told me Gus is already with Justin and Brian. I figured she would tell Brian how I was helping JR through losing her mother.

 

BRIAN

 

I called Ted and told him to meet us at the diner. I need to discuss some business while the gossip hounds chat. Ted told me Michael wanted to talk to Blake so he was bringing Austin with him. I asked him why Michael is suddenly talking to Blake.

 

“Blake said Michael came to him for some advice a couple days ago but really doesn’t know why Michael wants to talk to him now,” Ted told me.

 

“How did Michael look? Linds tried to eat his ear earlier.” I tell Ted.

 

“The side of his head is all bandaged up. He isn’t in pain, so I guess he got some meds for that. He wasn’t interested in talking to me, he wanted Blake.” Ted seems bewildered by it.

 

I tell Ted to just get his ass here before I have to listen to any more of the Gossip Queen show. Allen and I were sitting with the girls and Gus. Justin and Emmett were with Debbie.

 

“This is normal for us. Justin and Emmett are like two kids in a store full of candy when it comes to gossip.” I tell Allen.

 

“No candy, beans DaDa.” Victoria tells me.

 

“No beans, want samwich, DaDa,” Beth tells me.

 

I tell Kiki to get the girls their usual food and Gus his artery busters for lunch. Kiki asked about Justin and I rolled my eyes and asked her if Justin ever passed on food.

 

“Brian, I have to say this is the most exciting my life has gotten. I told Max if someone needs to stay, I’d do it.” Allen tells me.

 

“Watching my kids is exciting to you?” I ask him.

 

“Being around people who don’t seem to care you’re gay is exciting to me. It not easy being a gay man in security.” Allen tells me.

 

“It’s not easy being gay period Allen. Just don’t fall in love with Justin or me and you're hired.” I tell him. With Justin’s career taking off, I want to be prepared for groupies. It’s strange that artists have just as many followers as musicians.

 

KELL

 

I sat in a chair across from Linds. They got her cleaned up and she has been quietly sitting ever since. I’ve been watching the digital videos of the interview on my tablet and had my earbud in to listen to her. I noticed the only time Linds reacts to anything is when Justin was brought into the conversation. The violence started when the doctor suggested Justin didn’t want her. I switched to when Michael came to the cell, Linds just sat there through the tirade about Brian but she looked up the minute Michael said something about Justin. It was scary how calm she was, she was almost playful before she latched on to Michael’s ear.

 

“Are you done playing games on your tablet? I need to get home and finish registering for gifts for the wedding.” Linds breaks her silence.

 

“Linds, you aren’t going anywhere. You understand you tried to kill your mother, don’t you?” I ask her.

 

“I didn’t try to kill her. I was just trying to make a point, she wanted me to cancel my wedding to Justin.” Linds tells me. She’s looking at me like her trying to kill her mother was reasonable.

 

“Biting Michael’s ear off? What was the point there?” I ask her.

 

“It will teach Michael if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing, he shouldn’t listen,” Linds smirks at me.

 

“What you're telling me is if they don’t agree with you, they need to be taught a lesson?” I ask her.

 

“Of course. Everyone should stop trying to keep Justin from me.” She tells me.

 

“What about Brian, Gus, or Mel? Aren’t you concerned about your son?” I ask her.

 

“I was willing to let Mel and Brian raise Gus but now I think he needs to stay with me. Brian is filling Justin’s head with nonsense about me, and using Gus to keep Justin. Justin loves Gus, you know he even helped me name him. If Justin hadn’t been there Gus would have had this awful name.” Linds tells me.

 

I wanted to see how she reacted to Brian and Justin in a relationship. She’s whimsical about Justin when she talks about naming Gus.

 

“Didn’t you meet Justin the first night of his relationship with Brian?” I ask her.

 

“You mean the first time Brian convinced Justin to be his trick, Brian doesn’t do relationships. Justin would have been better off if Brian had OD’d.” Linds snaps at me.

 

“I thought Brian was one of your best friends?” I ask her.

 

“I only kept Brian around because he brought Justin with him. Brian stopped being useful when Justin left for Ethan. Brian should have left Justin alone after that, but no, not Brian, he had to keep Justin.” Lind's lapses back into silence.

 

I wasn’t going to agitate her, I just wanted to witness her switch being thrown. I got up and knocked to get out. I told the guard no one is to be let in the door. They underestimate her because she looks so serene when she is about to attack.

 

MEL

 

I came down to talk to Carl, he told me to meet him at the station. I heard all about Linds and her mother, and Michael filled in the rest. I called Ron and he told me not to expect any help from them. Nancy’s head injury is serious, she hasn’t woken up. I expected that from mommy and daddy. Carl waved me into his office.

 

“Long day Carl?” I ask him.

 

“Long year Mel. We need to talk about Linds. Her father’s lawyer is no longer going to represent her. As her wife, you have the power to make decisions for her. She is going to stand trial for stalking, two counts of assault and depending on Nancy, possibly attempted murder. I think they are going to be able to use insanity as a defense. I guess I want to know where you stand. The DA is going to need that information.” Carl tells me.

 

“Linds is on her own, I can’t let her ruin any more lives. I just came to tell you if the DA needs witnesses, I’m available.” I tell Carl.

 

I tell him good luck with Linds. I want to make sure Gus and JR never have to see her again.

 

MICHAEL

 

I sat around watching TV at Mel’s house. JR wanted to play with her friends, so I waited around, hoping Brian would bring Gus home. Mel came in and I asked when Gus was coming home. Mel told me Brian was keeping Gus and dropping him off at school tomorrow. I was disappointed. I wanted to talk to Blake again.

 

Blake has been a better friend than my own friends.

Chapter 28 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Very short ending. Thank you for reading and enjoying this.

JUSTIN

 

I was planning Beth and Victoria’s second birthday when Max came in and told me Linds was finally sentenced. It took almost a year for Linds’s attorney to be ready for trial. Linds had been at a secure psychiatric facility since trying to kill her mother. Nancy woke up three days after nearly having her brain bashed in. She suffered a stroke and now requires in-home assistance. Ron is still running around like nothing happened. Brian said it just made it easier for him to fuck around now that Nancy can’t interfere.

 

Linds got the maximum they could give, fifteen years for second degree attempted murder and fifteen for the assaults and stalking charges. Brian told Kell thirty years didn’t seem like a lot. Kell reminded Brian that Linds is 37 and she would likely die in prison. She isn’t going to get paroled for good behavior. I wasn’t allowed to be at the trial. I didn’t really want to be there anyway. Emmett said they played the recordings of her voicemails and it freaked him out. I told Max after the first time listening, I didn’t want to hear them. The psychiatrist who is treating Linds asked to talk to Brian and me, Brian told him “Bat shit crazy doesn’t need an explanation” before hanging up.  

 

Kell wanted her transferred to a prison closer to the BAU. He told me he wanted to make sure anyone treating Linds didn’t get fooled by the sweet earth-mother she projects. Brian told him they should just transfer her ass to the middle of a volcano and drop her in.

 

Gus had some bad days. He worried his mother would escape and hurt the family. Brian had told Mel to block Linds from calling the house. Mel forgot to do it. Linds called and told Gus that once she got me away from Brian, she would come and take him with us. Gus told her he wanted to stay with Brian and Mel. Linds told him not to worry, Brian and Mel wouldn’t be around. Gus called Brian in hysterics. Mel had a very bad day after that.

 

Brian hired Allen to stay with us permanently. I like Allen, but I didn’t think we needed around the clock security. Brian told me groupies come with fame, so it was better to be prepared for a situation now. The girls love Allen, and I will admit, he makes it easier when I have three kids to haul around. Allen found a boyfriend, it was Ben. You could have knocked me over with that one. Allen is six foot six and reminds me of Vin Diesel in build. Nothing about him screams Michael. Ben was at the diner a couple months ago with Hunter when we ran into each other. Allen was practically eye raping Ben. I told him to call Ben. Allen, who doesn’t have a shy bone in his body, kept making excuses for not calling. Brian finally had enough and told Ben to fuck Allen so Allen could keep his job. Ben seemed surprised, but they started dating.

 

Michael seemed to disappear from our lives. Brian was thrilled. Ted was contemplating a restraining order of his own. Blake, being the kind, caring, and easily duped man he is, tried to help Michael. Michael suddenly took his hero worship to Blake and all anybody heard from Michael is “Blake says…”. Blake told me it happens to him all the time with the patients from the clinic. Brian let go of the restraining order on Michael because he is chasing Blake now. Michael tells everyone that Blake is really his best friend. I love to watch Ted groan when Michael says Blake’s name. Michael set up daddy dates with Blake, so Blake could help him with JR. JR told us Blake only agrees because he can watch Michael. Blake is trying to set Michael up with a patient who is as big of a comic book geek as Michael. Brian told Blake once you become Mikey’s hero, you're stuck until the next moron gets Michael’s attention.

 

Brian and I have been able to be the parents we want to be. Mom and Deb help out when we spoil the kids too much. Brian wanted to dress his kids in designer outfits all the time. Deb told him to enjoy getting the many stains little kids get on their clothes, out. Brian finally compromised and keeps the designer outfits for business parties and my shows. Well, I am off to celebrate my life with Brian.

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=335