Born To Be Different by starlight
Summary:

Just a reporters view of the gang.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Original Character, Ted Schmidt, Tucker
Tags: Post-series
Genres: Canon, Humor
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Emmett/Drew, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 31202 Read: 56256 Published: Aug 14, 2016 Updated: Aug 21, 2016
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended

Lorie my eternal graditude for being my beta.

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I just thought having a reporter trying to interview the Liberty Avenue gang could be funny. Each chapter is going to have him running into one of the people and their life going on around it. Hopefully I can entertain you.

KYLE

 

I hate my job. I have this prestigious title of head writer for the Arts and Leisure section of the New York Times. What it means is, I write the gossip section of the who’s who in New York. I wanted to be a hard hitting journalist, instead I write about Bitsy grooming her dog. Until I wrote something that got me more notice, Bitsy will be my doom.

 

The big news of 2015 was the US allowing same sex marriage. There was a lot of coverage all over the United States and I was happy we finally gave all couples equal rights. The only thing I get is that there would be more marriages to write about. I want to have an article with substance, not what the bride wore.

 

I was watching a news feed from Pittsburgh, when I noticed Justin Taylor standing behind a man whining about it taking so long to get through the line of people. Justin is a hard person to get an interview with, he will talk to you, but usually can pull a disappearing act without saying very much. He’s is the golden goose of interviews, all of us want to get him to sit in a chair and talk.

 

Is he getting married? I know he’s been with one person throughout his career but he tends to shy away from talking about it. It’s time to look into his bio more. His agent really doesn’t provide a lot of background on Justin. Most of the time I am too interested in reporting his latest show. Truthfully, he’s an artist, not a criminal or movie star, so we all just cover his art, not his life. It would at least interest readers if I put him in an human interest article, maybe interview the man who was whining, get their take on the difference in the lives of same sex couples throughout their lives.

 

BRIAN

 

Why did we agree to come with Michael and Ben? I told Michael to wait a week then come and get married. Michael told me he was making a statement. I asked if it was how long we can stand in line. Justin giggled at that. Michael tried to convince Justin we should get married too. Justin told him we were fine and leave it alone. Justin was wandering around with Deb, who brought drinks and food for the suckers standing in line, because of the long wait. I was trying to get a campaign finished, I wanted to go to the office and return like, oh I don’t know, next week, so I could see Michael’s big statement. Justin told Michael he would call me when they got closer to the front. Michael of course needed us to stand there and support him. I had made alternate plans for Michael a week ago and just needed to stall for time.

 

I plan to marry Justin, I just don’t need to do it in a courtroom with nine hundred other people. I want to propose again and this time actually have a wedding. Justin and I filed for Legal Domestic Partnership before he left for New York, and to Justin, that was more than married for him. We live between Pittsburgh and New York, because business requires both of us to live in both places. Justin and I adopted our daughter Elle ten years ago, to complete our family. Elle loves Michael, I think it’s because they act the same age. Justin told me to be nice, Michael had a new partner in crime.

 

So here we stand as a reporter comes up and starts talking to people and of course Mikey had to talk to them.

 

“How does it feel to have your union recognized in the US?” The reporter really needs to get more original.

 

“It would feel great if we didn’t have to stand outside all day waiting for our turn. They should have had more people available to get us all married.” Michael whines to the reporter.

 

“Well good luck and congratulations.” The reporter is off to the next person.

 

Justin turns in time to avoid the reporter. Justin has been ducking reporters for years. He’s lucky his career doesn’t require a lot of coverage. A lot had to do with everyone always asking about the bashing. Justin doesn’t know what to say to people about an event he doesn’t remember. I call Ted again and he tells me everything is ready, just hurry up. I told Ted I was rounding up the troops as we speak.

 

The protesters start to get closer and of course Deb can’t just ignore ignorance, she walks over to give everyone a piece of her mind.

 

“Go fucking home and let these people get married in peace.” Deb tells them.

 

“It’s a sin, they are going to hell.” A bunch of them shout.

 

“The only sin I see is people like you not minding your own business.” This from Deb, who never minds her own business.

 

I know I should have expected it but I was trying to be positive. Deb decides they need a Mikey slap and they decide to slap her back. Justin and Michael rush to save Deb and then every queer in line is fighting the protesters. I grabbed Justin and told Ben to get the others before we all go to jail. Justin was laughing like a loon. I swear he finds the strangest things funny. We waited for Deb, Ben, and Michael to get to the car. I finally see Ben carrying a swearing Deb towards the car. Reporters following them, wanting to talk to Deb. Michael was sharing in the attention, telling everyone how protesters ruined a happy moment for him. I wanted to roll my eyes, Michael will milk this for all it’s worth.

 

A reporter separated from the herd and came up to Justin. She wanted to know his opinion on the legalization of same sex marriage and the protesters.

 

“Marriage is a symbol of a union, not the people’s individual sex lives. Why do people feel they need to voice an opinion about who sleeps in my bed? I’m not asking for their approval, just to be able to provide the same benefits to my future spouse that Sally and Dave can. As for the protesters they’re narrow minded, nothing else to it.” Justin hops in the car and ignores the reporter asking more questions. I reached over and kissed him.

 

“Next time no comment, don’t give them the news feed felt around the world.” I tell Justin.

 

“What?” Justin doesn’t even seem to notice he said anything. My job is done.

 

I open my car door and tell the media hams to get in the car or I’m leaving them.

 

MICHAEL

 

Man, I had the reporters eating out of my hands, until Boy Wonder had to open his mouth. It was like the last time I was speaking at a press conference. I miss all the people wanting my opinion. Ben of course, was applauding Justin, and yes Justin was right. Okay, I’ll stop being a whiney asshole.

But I wanted to be able to say I got married on the day the US legalized same sex marriage, now I have to wait till the day after. Justin tried to suggest we have a wedding at his house, so JR and Gus could be there, and I told him we could but I wanted my marriage certificate stamped with the date my life became equal to everyone else in the United States. I wanted my best friend to be there with me, like the first wedding.

 

Brian drove us to Kinnetik and told me to get my ass in his office. I don’t get why he is so mad. Justin told me to not to argue but come with him. I walked into Brian’s office to see it decorated for my wedding. Jenny is standing next to Elle, Gus with his moms and all my friends are in the room.

 

“Brian wanted to make sure you got your wish Mikey.” Justin whispers in my ear.

 

“Thanks Boy Wonder.” I tell Justin.

 

Ted got certified to officiate weddings, just for me. Mom walked me to arch Emmett erected in the office. I grabbed Ben and finally made him my husband in the US.

 

Brian took me to the bathroom to get high and we came back giggling at everything. Justin had my girl Elle sitting on his lap. I was jealous they adopted a baby, but Elle thinks I’m the best so now I just rub it in Brian’s face, Elle loves me best.

 

Justin tells me he is going to pay for our honeymoon. We just need to pick a place and make the reservations. Brian told me make it expensive, so he can be Justin’s Sugar Daddy again. I told Brian not to worry, I'll  make Justin poor again.

 

.    

KYLE

 

I called my editor and told him I want to do piece on same sex couples. He asked what I was going for, because everyone is running that article. I told him to look at the news feed from Pittsburgh. I think people would be very interested to read a piece about Justin if we can get interviews with people he knows. Get his take on growing up gay in the United States.

 

My editor tells me I have two weeks and it better be good. I watched the red haired woman yell at the protesters and see Justin and the whiny guy run to save her. Then Justin made a statement that could be the basis of the article.

End Notes:

No anti on this one. Lots of whine and a little jealousy but other than that hopefully just funny.

Chapter 2 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

I got to Pittsburgh and was able to get the information on the red headed woman. Debbie Novotny. She works at the Liberty Diner. I decided to start there and see if I could talk to her. It was my starting point. I walked into the diner, it was early so I expected it to be slow. I was practically run over walking in the door. I see Debbie Novotny at the counter and the place is a mad house.

 

“Good morning honey, find a seat and someone will get to you. Sunshine stop trying to suck Brian’s dick and get to work.” She’s very colorful. I look around and sit at the counter, next to a guy who is laughing at Debbie.

 

“Deb, if Justin sucked my dick here, more people would show up. Bet I could fund Gus’s college with the tips.” Yells this gorgeous guy, that must be Brian.

 

“Brian, you’ll get better tips if you show them Sunshines ass.” Debbie yells back.

 

A bunch of men start hooting and telling Sunshine to take it off. The blond flips them off while he’s bent over kissing Brian. A guy asks if that’s an offer. Brian gives the guy a death stare. What kind of place did I walk into? I see the blond walking away from Brian putting on his apron.

 

“Sweety, look at Brian all you want, but unless you grow a bubble butt and become Sunshine, it won’t get you anywhere. Now what can I get you?” Debbie asks me.

 

“I’ll take eggs, bacon and toast. If you have some time later I’d like to talk Ms Novotny.” I tell her.

 

“It’s Deb, and honey until the boys go to work, I won’t have time. Be right back with your order. Brian let Sunshine go.” Deb yells.

 

“Deb, I’m being nice enough to let your Sunshine work today, be nice enough to let him thank me for being sweet.” Brian starts to swallow the blond.

 

I turn to look at Brian again and see Justin Taylor walking away carrying a tub. Why would a multimillion dollar artist work in a diner?

 

“I also wouldn’t look at Justin like that if you don’t want God Kinney making your day worse.” A very colorful man next to me says.

 

“I was just taking in the diner, lots going on, my name is Kyle.” I introduce myself.

 

“Emmett. Yeah it’s hard to look at Brian and Justin and not imagine their sex lives.” Emmett says laughing.

 

“Emmett, if you're imagining Justin and Brian, I don’t keep you busy enough.” Drew Boyd tells Emmett. How many famous people come here?

 

“Drewsy, if you kept me any busier, I’d be in traction.” Emmett starts kissing Drew.

 

“Okay knock it off, you're just encouraging Brian.” Debbie tells Emmett.

 

“Is it always like this around here?” I ask Emmett.

 

“Honey, this is a slow morning.” Emmett tells me.

 

I watch Justin running around delivering orders and flirting with all the customers. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he is waiting tables. Justin walks by and Emmett grabs him.

 

“Justin, meet my new friend Kyle.” I hope Justin doesn’t recognize me.

 

“Hey Kyle. Emmett, Elle is going to stay with my mom tonight, want to got to Babylon? We want to throw Ben and Michael a party to celebrate their wedding. I have a couple dancers dressing up as superheroes for Michael.” Justin tells Emmett.

 

“That will be fun. You want to join us Kyle?” Emmett and Justin wait for me to answer.

 

“Sure, that sounds like fun.” I answer.

 

“What will be fun?” Brian walks up and pulls Justin away from Emmett.

 

“Justin wanted to us to meet at Babylon tonight.” Emmett tells Brian.

 

“Justin, we need to be going, you had enough of playing at the diner?” Brian asks Justin.

 

“Brian, I couldn’t leave Debbie short, but yeah let me put up my apron and we can go.” Justin walks away. Brian’s eyes follow Justin.

 

BRIAN

 

It took me a second to place the guy at the counter, he’s a reporter for the New York times. He usually writes fluff pieces. I know he interviewed Justin once or twice, but Justin usually doesn’t pay any attention to the reporters. I want to know why he’s here, and why he seem to be looking at Justin’s ass.

 

“Brian this is Kyle, I invited him to go with us tonight.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Nice to meet you Kyle. Emmett can you get Michael there without telling him, this time?” I ask Emmett.

 

“Brian, last time he wouldn’t come unless we told him. It’s not my fault, I told him you were having a party and he figured out it was for him.” Emmett told me.

 

“You could have just said we were meeting at my place to go out.” I tell Emmett.

 

“You could have told me to tell him that, you know I’m not good at making up things.” Emmett tells me.

 

“How about you tell, never mind, Deb tell Michael you overheard we're going to Babylon tonight.” I yell to Deb.

 

“You got it.” Deb yells back.

 

Justin finally gets his ass in gear. We have to head to the school for Elle. Her class is having a parent day. Michael wanted to come, but Ben convinced him to stay home, since it was the day after they got married. Michael was going to argue that Elle wanted him there, but the hamster started rattling in his head to get him to realize why Ben wanted him to stay home.

 

I told Justin to get in the car and I would be there in a second. I wanted to make sure Mr Reporter understood Justin was not giving an interview.

 

“Emmett, call Ted and let him know about tonight.” I figured that would give me and Kyle a second alone.

 

“I don’t know why you're here, but don’t make me regret letting you spend time with us Kyle.” I tell him.

 

“Look, I wanted to do a piece on being gay in the US and seeing Debbie and her son on the news got me here to write a story. If you guys are willing to talk to me, great, but it’s not going to be a hatchet job on Justin.” Kyle tells me. I stared at him, shrugged and left to go with Justin.

 

EMMETT

 

Kyle’s a reporter? I wonder why he’s here. I could tell him all about growing up in Hazelhurst, that usually gets people to run screaming in the other direction. I decide, why not talk to him.

 

“You're a reporter?” I ask him.

 

“Yes, and before you ask, I saw Debbie and her son on the news and my editor thought it would make a good article, talking to them. I wanted to do an article on what it’s like growing up gay and how you feel the world has changed. I do want to interview Justin, but only because his name will get some notice for the article.” Kyle tells me.

 

“I can tell you from my point of view, it sucked, people treat you like your one step away from a child molester, or they try to be your best friend to prove they can handle people being gay. I’m not saying there aren’t straight people who accept us, just that there are a lot that don’t. I personally just let my light shine bright and tell people to wear sunglasses if it hurts their eyes.” I tell him.

 

“Tell me about growing up here in Pittsburgh.” Kyle asks me.

 

“I ran away from my redneck, beer chugging, homophobic family, and got to Pittsburgh. I met Deb’s son Michael through my friend Teddy, and then met Brian. We became family. Deb mothers us and so does Justin’s mom now. You do anything to upset Deb, and no one will find the body.” I tell him.

 

“When did Justin join the group?” Kyle asks me.

 

“Justin meet Brian about fifteen years ago, and unless Brian or Justin want to tell you more, you're out of luck.” I tell him.

 

“I was just wondering why you didn’t include him in the list of who you met.” Kyle seems sincere. “Tell me about Babylon and Liberty Avenue.”

 

“Sweety, Babylon is the gay mecca, in the Pitts. Brian and Justin own it. In fact you have the tale of two Kings, to everyone here. Brian is still known as the Stud of Liberty Avenue and Justin will forever be the King of Babylon. Every year some twink shows up and tries to win the crown and Brian, but Justin won the crown and the stud. I’m only telling you this because everyone knows.” I tell Kyle.

 

“What is the King of Babylon?” Kyle asks.

 

“It’s a pole dancing contest.” I tell him. Drew tells me we have to go, I yell bye to Deb and walk out of the diner.

 

KYLE

 

Brian wasn’t exactly warm and welcoming, but Emmett was willing to talk. Hopefully when I get to Babylon they’ll be willing to help me with the article.

 

“How was the food?” Deb asks me.

 

“Just as interesting as the company.” I tell her.

 

“So you're a reporter.” Deb tells me. I looked up, surprised she knew. Deb laughs and tells me, “Honey, one queen knows, and we all know.”

 

“I’m actually here to talk to you. I watched the news when you and the protesters were fighting. I thought it would be nice to find out how you view the issue from the point of view of a mother.” I tell her.

 

“Well you just need to come to dinner at my house on Sunday if you want to see what it’s like to have a family of gay children. I will warn you, if you make me regret inviting you, I’ll tie your balls in a knot and shove a cannon up your ass. Do yourself a favor when you go out with the boys, stop looking at Brian as if you want to suck his dick and don’t let him catch you staring at Justin’s ass like it’s your last meal.” Deb pinches my cheek and yells for the guy ringing the bell to hold on to his dick.

 

 

 

Chapter 3 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I have up to chapter 5 written so far. Will post after they are beta'd

BRIAN   

 

On the way to the school, I told Justin about Kyle being a reporter. I wanted to make sure Justin didn’t say anything he didn’t wanted printed in a paper.

 

“Yeah, I know.” Justin tells me.

 

“You acted like you didn’t know who he was.” I wanted to know why he pretended not to know Kyle.

 

“Brian, I might act like I don’t pay attention to reporters, but when they practically have their tongue hanging out during an interview, I tend to notice.” Justin tells me.

 

“He better keep all his protruding parts away from you, I’ll cut them off he tries anything.” I think I’m going to kill Kyle.

 

“Brian, it’s the same thing I put up with when guys see you, don't go all Rage on the guy.” Justin tells me.

 

We pull up to the school and get our badges. I see our daughter, Elle is telling the kids how to place things on the table. Jen has been training the future WASP. She see us and runs over.

 

“Daddy, these people think you place things just anywhere. I told them to place the plates, cups and spoons before the food. I mean Nana Jen said putting it behind the food, makes people have to reach over it to get to the stuff and you never know what people might drop into the food.” Elle is really serious about this.

 

“You did great baby.” Justin is always willing to placate the madness that is our daughter.

 

“Dad, we get to give speeches about our families, isn’t that cool?” Elle raises her eyebrow, which means to agree. I learned from Gus and JR.

 

“Everything you do is cool Elle girl.” I pick her up and tickle her.

 

I hear Michael telling Ben this is Elle’s classroom. What the hell is Michael doing here? He walks in with a box and Ben is carrying a box too. I look at Ben to see why they left their honeymoon.

 

“Michael just couldn’t miss Elle’s parent day. He missed so much of JR’s everyday things, I think he’s trying to make up for it.” Ben tells me.

 

“Well since JR is now living back in the Pitts, he can go to her class.” I tell Ben.

 

“JR is too cool for her dads to come to the school. It’s your fault for having a kid that thinks Michael walks on water.” Ben smirks at me.

 

“UNCLE MIKEY,  you came. Dad said you were going to be busy checking out Uncle Ben’s…” Justin covers Elle’s mouth just in time and shoots me a glare.

 

“I couldn’t miss your parent day. I even brought something for the other kids.” Michael is always trying to show me up. Well I have something too.

 

We all sit down and hear about what the kids have been doing. The teacher then tells us the kids are going to talk about their families while we eat the snacks. I was looking at Justin’s ass and trying to think of ways to get him into the closet behind us, when Mikey hits me.

 

“Elle is next, stop staring at Justin’s butt.” Mikey tries to whisper but the Novotnys didn’t learn that particular skill in Kindergarten. A woman behind me tells Michael she was staring at Justin’s butt too. I high five the woman. Justin is blushing.

 

“Hi, my name is Elle Taylor-Kinney, my dads adopted me when I was a baby. I have two dads, three aunts, six uncles, two brothers and a sister. My Nana Jen told me I have lots of family. My Dad, Brian Kinney sells stuff to people, even if they don’t want it, that’s what Granny Deb says. My Daddy, Justin Taylor paints pictures but he also does the comic Princess Elle, with my Uncle Mikey. Uncle Mikey told me my Daddy wanted to show everyone how beautiful I was in the new comic. Uncle Mikey has the coolest job, he sell comics, so everyone can read them. My Uncle Ben is a Professor at College, and my Dad said Uncle Ben is trying to teach Uncle Mikey how to read a book without pictures.” The teacher stops Elle before she tells about all the people in the family.

 

Michael gives me a glare but I smile, at least Elle wasn’t swearing like a sailor anymore. Deb got punished by Jen for that one. Elle sits down and asks Justin if she did okay. Justin tells her she’s perfect. The teacher had the kids get everyone cake, I was just happy the kids were done talking. Michael tells the teacher he has something for all the kids.

 

“I brought everyone a copy of the next edition of Princess Elle. You get to see it a week before anyone else.” I want to roll my eyes but this comic is selling so fast that Michael keeps the store open just so he can talk about the adult comics with the other teens.

I watch as all the kids run up to get a copy and figure it’s my turn.

 

“Justin and I also wanted to give everyone a present to say thank you for having us here today. I have passes for everyone’s family to go to Kennywood. You can use them when you want to.” I smirk at Mikey. I believe I won.

 

KYLE

 

I forgot to ask what time to come to Babylon, so I arrived at nine. I see Justin talking to a bartender. He’s leaning across the bar and I will admit any gay man is going to look at that ass. It was a good chance to talk to him.

 

“Before you talk to Justin let me explain the rules.” Brian is standing behind me. I was staring at Justin’s ass. I know I was, but how do you not? I see fingers snapping in my face.

 

“You know what Kyle, enter the fray at your own risk.” Brian tells me and walks off.

 

I started towards Justin when I see the whiny guy, I mean Michael Novotny, got to get that right. He is complaining to Justin.

 

“Did Brian really have to show me up at the school?” Okay I’ll call him whiny in my mind.

 

“Michael, did you expect him not to try, you two have been one upping each other since the kids were little. Do I have to bring up taking Gus to Comic Con with you?” Justin tells Michael.

 

“Hey Gus is the only one who likes to go. I can’t help that Brian thinks a trip to Armani was exciting to a teenager.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“Brian and Michael still trying to play who’s the best dad?” A older guy asks.

 

“Ted do you really have to ask?  Let’s see, Michael leaves his honeymoon to be at Elle’s parent day and gives all the little kiddies a copy of next week's release of the Princess Elle comic, so Brian gives everyone a free pass for a family of six to Kennywood. Guess who won?” Justin tells Ted.

 

“Brian still hasn’t forgiven you for Comic Con?” Ted ask Michael.

 

“I forgave him when he took JR to meet Taylor Swift, I mean who does that?” Michael looks at me.

 

“Why did you have to forgive him for letting her meet a rockstar?” I’m new, they need to give me a break.

 

“I bought tickets for my daughter and her friends to go to the concert, for her birthday. Brian tells her that he’ll have her present after the concert. I was able to give her the best gift, until ‘Mr  I can’t let Mikey win’ takes her to meet Taylor Swift and gets them invited to a release party at the singer’s house. Don’t you agree, it was nice of me to forgive Brian for that?” Michael is waiting for me to reply. Behind Michael, Justin is shaking his head vigorously to say yes. Emmett has his hands together like he’s praying and mouthing yes.

 

“Yes Michael.” I decided not to rock the boat. Michael turns to Justin and Emmett who have stopped the signaling and are standing there listening as if Michael is telling them about world peace.

 

“See guys, even... wait who are you?” Michael turns back to me.

 

“My name is Kyle, I actually wanted to interview you for an article in the New York Times.” I tell Michael.

 

I see Justin face plant into his hand and Emmett is shaking his head sadly at me. Brian just starts laughing. Ted walks by and pats my shoulder and shakes his head. What did I do?

 

“You want to do an article about me, you mean me right, Michael Novotny? I would be honored to talk to you. You can’t image the things you could learn about me. We can get started right now if you want. How far do you want to go back? I could tell you about working at the Big Q, Rage, the bombing, meeting the Senator, opening a comic shop...” Michael continues to talk. I think I understand what they were trying to tell me.

 

JUSTIN

 

Part of me wants to rescue poor Kyle, but if he can handle Michael, the rest of us will be a piece of cake. Ben asks Emmett to dance, we know Michael is going to be trying to tell Kyle his ‘one time at band camp’ stories. Brian grabs my hand and tells me we need to check if they have enough condoms in the backroom.

 

I was coming out of the backroom with ‘Mr Show Off’. Brian had to make sure every guy still sees him as the Stud. I guess I shouldn’t complain, I reap the benefits. I hear Michael still talking, and you can see Kyle is going to learn not to encourage Michael to talk. I walk up and get some water. Emmett is dancing around Drew at the bar.

 

“Emmett, where’s Michael at in the story?” I ask because I want to get the stripper heroes out.

 

“I think we’ve reached sixteen and Brian paying for his first blowjob or maybe Brian getting him a job. I don’t know.” Emmett giggled, we need to slow down on the cosmos.

 

Well, Kyle is going to owe me for this. I tell Brian to start the show for Michael.

 

“Gentlemen, please lend your eyes to the feast of Superheroes. Michael and Ben congratulations on making honest men out of each other.” The DJ announces. All the guys clap and Kyle is set free.

 

KYLE

 

I think I owe Justin for the strippers, Michael can talk. After the show Michael is complaining to Brian about it.

 

“Brian, they’re superheroes for God sakes, you can’t have them stripping.” Michael tells him.

 

“Mikey, superheroes are guys in tights who show off everything in the costume, not like we can’t see the bulge. I just wanted to give you the whole super package.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“Brian you realize I’m never going to be able to read Superman again without getting hard.” Michael whines.

 

“Like that would be new, Mikey.” Brian tells everyone.

 

Justin grabs my hand and Emmetts. He tells me we need to go dance or we’ll be listening to Michael’s denials for the next hour. I came to write an article but instead, I just want to see what these people will do next.


End Notes:

A lot will be told from Kyle's POV, but he isn't going to be with them all the time.

Chapter 4 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

The next morning, I headed towards the diner, man I have a hangover of epic proportions. Brian started ordering shots and after that, the night is just a blur. I tried to ask questions for the article but the minute they’d start on one topic it would go to another, it took all I had just to keep up with them. Justin was trying to explain what each conversation was about, but I told him I had time to learn.

 

I walk in the diner and Deb is there waiting on everyone again. Does she ever have a day off?

 

“MORNING SWEET CHEEKS!” She yells. I want to cry at the pounding my head is doing.

 

“Morning Deb.” I whisper. I sit down and ask for coffee, I want to get through today without dying.

 

“SUNSHINE, I NEED YOU TO HELP AGAIN, KIKI TWISTED HER ANKLE LAST NIGHT!” I know they told me not to hurt Deb, but I could hide her body, at least until my head stops hurting.

 

Justin walks over and grabs me. He shoves me into a booth.

 

“It’s easier on your head if you distance yourself from Deb in the morning.” He tells me. I watch as he grabs the coffee pot and a bunch of coffee cups. Justin pours me a cup of heaven and then pours one and puts enough sugar in it to kill a diabetic.

 

I’m sitting there with my nectar when Brian sits across from me. Well no, not Brian, but someone who could be his twin. I stared at the guy, who smirks at me. I want to say that I was dignified but when Justin put his hand under my chin and closed my mouth, that negated the fact I was dignified.

 

“Morning Pop, where’s Dad?” The guy says to Justin. No way this is Justin’s kid.

 

“Morning Gus, Brian’s picking up Elle from Nana’s. Want your usual?” Justin tells the star of my new fantasies.

 

“Yep and JR is on her way too. She’s in trouble with the moms. I think you need to tell them to stop trying to kill JR’s fun.” Gus tells Justin. I was trying not to stare but it’s like seeing a younger copy of the original.

 

“Kyle, this is our son Gus, who is SIXTEEN. Gus this is Kyle, he’s writing an article about being gay in the US.” Justin tells Gus and shoots me a warning glare.

 

I get pushed over and see Emmett sitting down. Emmett is so colorful this morning I want to lay my head down or maybe get the sunglasses he suggested.

 

“Morning Gussy, giving everyone a preview of the future stud?” Emmett asks Gus.

 

“It better be far in the future. Last thing I need is to have to play Jen to Gus.” Brian comes over and pulls a little girl to sit between him and Gus Okay my fantasy now has twins.

 

“But Dad, think about where you would be if Justin hadn’t been waiting under a street lamp at seventeen. I shudder at the name Abraham and thank Pop for keeping it away from me.” Gus tells Brian.

 

“There is nothing wrong with the name Abraham, it was my grandfather’s name.”  A dark haired woman tells Gus. I see a blonde woman and another girl standing with them.

 

“Aunty Mel, Dad said you shouldn’t be allowed to pick names. Poor Jenny is called Junior by everyone.” The little girl tells Mel.

 

“Elle, your Dad doesn’t even call people by their names. Jenny Rebecca is a beautiful name.” Mel tells Elle.

 

“Until some idiot named Gus tells everyone my name is actually Mikey Junior.” Jenny says to her mother. My God how do these people keep up?

 

“Smelly Melly is just jealous that Wendy agrees with me on the names.” Brian throws out there. You can see he is waiting for Mel to react.

 

“Dad be nice to Aunt Mel, Nana told me that you shouldn’t say something if you can’t be nice.” Elle tells her father.

 

Everyone sits down in the booths around us. Justin comes out and ask me what I want for breakfast. I tell him eggs and toast and wait for everyone else to give their orders. Justin walks off without getting anyone’s order but mine.

 

“Um Wendy, aren’t you guys going to eat?” I ask Wendy.

 

“It’s Lindsay, Brian just calls me Wendy and I call him Peter sometimes. We all eat here all the time, so Deb and Justin just get the orders of new people. You're the reporter, Kyle, right?” Lindsay asks me. I know it shouldn’t surprise me she knows, but it does.

 

“Yes, I wanted to explore how this group of people see the changes in their lives and what they felt growing up gay.” I tell her. I really need to start on the article.

 

“Good luck with getting these guys to answer questions, unless you ask Michael, they’ll just run you in circles.” Lindsay smiles at me. I figured out that much so far.

 

“Pop, I wanted you to come talk to my class about being an artist.” JR tells Justin.

 

“When do I need to be there?” Justin asks her.

 

“Well, um, Monday?” JR tells him.

 

“JR you were suppose to tell Justin a week ago.” Mel chastises JR.

 

“I forgot, and it’s not like he has to make a speech, just tell about his career, bring it down a notch Mama.” JR tells Mel.

 

“Wait, why didn’t you ask me to do it?” Michael comes in.

 

“Nothing personal Dad, but nobody wants to hear a long winded speech about Captain Astro.” JR talks to Michael like he’s five.

 

“I like Captain Astro.” Gus breaks in the conversation.

 

“You also like men in tights, so you're opinion doesn’t count.” JR sticks her tongue out at Gus. Poor Michael looks crushed.

 

“Uncle Mikey is the coolest, and you would be lucky if he wanted to talk to your icky class.” Elle tells JR. Michael is preening.

 

“Elle we need to have a long talk about cool before you get to middle school.” JR tells Elle.

 

“Guys, I forgot to tell you, Drew rented a beach house for next weekend. We wanted to have a Fourth of July party.” Emmett tells everyone.

 

Everyone agrees to be there and Emmett tells me it means me too. It was nice that they were including me. Deb tells them she’ll let Carl know. Great, another name to remember.

 

“Teddy, did you hear, we’re going to celebrate next weekend?” Emmett yells to Ted. Ted just walked in with Blake, who I met sometime last night. Behind them is a little girl.

 

“Selena, come sit with me.” Elle pushes her father out of the way. Selena kisses Brian on the cheek and sits down. Ted and Blake join Michael. Ted hands Brian a paper. Brian reads it and smiles.

 

“Maybe we should have naked Superheroes night more often.” Brian says and hands it back to Ted.

 

“NO, I can’t watch my heroes strip again.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“I’m sure Ben enjoyed it, Mikey. I mean we got you all revved up…” Deb hits Brian in the head and stares at the kids.

 

“Granny Deb, you always cut Dad off before he get’s to the good part.” Elle complains.

 

“I cut him off before Nana explains what you can hear to your father, the way she did to me.” Deb tells Elle.

 

“In other words, we just need to ask Gus, Elle.” Selena tells Elle. Gus is suddenly interested in the menu.

 

“Gus, tell me you didn’t explain what these idiots talk about to those two little girls?” Mel says it like a question but it sounds more like a command.

 

“Look Mama, if they are going to grow up in an alternative family, they need to know everyone is a deviant.” Gus tries to sound like he’s helping the girls.

 

“Mel, we want all the children in this family to know we’re comfortable with any subject.” Brian tells Mel.

 

“I don’t think they need that much information at TEN, ASSHOLE.” Mel tells Brian.

 

Justin starts to deliver the food. Once everyone is served he sits on Brian’s lap and starts on a burger. The toast is almost too much for me, but Justin who drank me under the table is munching on that greasy burger like it’s no big deal. Brian on the other hand is practically molesting Justin. I see Gus reach over and grab a bite of Justin’s burger. Elle and Selena start eating his fries. His plate is almost empty when Deb delivers another for him.

 

“The kids are always eating Justin’s food. Deb just order’s him double because once Brian and he sit together, food is the last thing on their minds.” Emmett tells me. They all just say things out loud, and don’t care who hears them.

 

“Brian, let Justin eat, you can scr… talk to him later.” Michael tells Brian. The girls looked really interested in what Michael almost said.

 

“Mikey, one of the things I have been trying to teach you for years, is I need to … talk to Justin A LOT.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“You know everyone get’s a day of rest.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“You know, most people who just got married would be TALKING at home on their honeymoon.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“Justin, we’re taking Selena to the zoo, do you want us to take Elle?” Blake breaks in. Michael gets distracted by that.

 

“We can all go, Ben we need to get the camera and the video recorder. I can have it ready for everyone to watch next weekend.” Michael gets excited. Justin groans into Brian’s neck and says something about it being Paris all over again.

 

“Michael, there better be cheese that doesn’t taste like C  U  M  this time.” Justin tells Michael. Everyone is laughing hysterically and Emmett just tells me he’ll explain at the zoo. I guess we're going to the zoo today, although I feel like I’m at the zoo already.

Chapter 5 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

They should just rent a bus, everyone was going to the zoo. Brian grumbled but Justin told him they could talk all over the zoo, after that he was thrilled to go. I rode with Blake and Ted, the kids all piled into Brian’s SUV. Emmett took the women, Ben, and Michael in his SUV. Emmett called Drew to meet us. We got there and I was going to pay, when Emmett tells me Drew already took care of it.

 

We meet Drew when we get outside. Drew was standing there with twin little boys, one seemed to be crying. They looked about four or five. The boys ran to Justin.

 

“Pop, you made it. I told Dad you would come to see me and Stuart.” One of the twins said as he was sniffling.

 

“Theo, don't I always come?” Justin asks him. Justin picks up Theo and soothes his back.

 

“Our twins love Justin, but Theo is always worried Justin is going to go missing. Someone told him that Justin ran away and was missing once.” Emmett looks at Michael.

 

“Hey, I was just telling the story of our roadtrip to New York. I didn’t mean to scare Theo.” Michael tells us.

 

“Why do all the kids call him Pops?” I ask Emmett. The kids refer to everyone else as uncles and aunts.

 

“Gus, when he was younger he was practically attached to Justin’s hip and the other kids repeat Gus.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Daddy, I’m staying with Pop okay?” Theo asks Emmett. Brian is groaning.

 

“Guess you and Justin will have to talk later.” Michael smirks at Brian.

 

“At least I want to to talk to Justin, Grampa Mikey.” Brian tells Mikey.

 

“Hey, Ben and I talk all the time.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“Guys, lets take the kids around. You and Brian can bicker behind us.” Ben tells them.

 

“Kyle, if you want to talk in the bathrooms, we can go get it out of the way.” Gus tells me.

 

“GUS.” It comes from every direction. Gus winks at me and walks to Elle and Selena.

 

I need to start interviewing people, Ted and Blake were walking with me so I asked them to tell me about their lives.

 

“My family was fine with me being gay, and would have been there for me, but I got involved in the drug scene and was stealing from anyone to get money. They threw me out and I started living anywhere. I was at Babylon with all the other Crystal Queens when I saw Ted the first time.” Blake tells me.

 

“My parents were older and they loved me, but didn’t understand why I wanted to be gay. My mom is still there for me. I hid from being gay until I got to college and met Mel.” Ted tells me.

 

“How long have you been together?” I ask them.

 

“It’s going on ten years now. We tried a couple times before that, but we weren’t in the right place at the time.” Ted tells me.

 

“You mean I almost killed you the first time, and you almost killed yourself the second time. The third time we finally got it right.” Blake tells us.

 

“The first time we were together, Blake and I played with GHB and I had a bad reaction to it. The second time I decide Crystal Meth made me feel better about myself and ended up in rehab with Blake as my counselor. We meet a few years later at a lodge and we finally were in the same place.” Ted explains to me. I’m trying to see these two on a downward spiral of drugs and just can’t see it.

 

“Did Teddy tell you we tried a relationship?” Emmett skips up to us.

 

“How’d that go for you?” I ask Emmett.

 

“For the rest of us, it was to gross to see.” Brian yells back.

 

“Brian, I thought they were adorable.” Lindsay tells Brian.

 

“So adorable that you decided Mikey should be the sperm donor.” Brian tells Linds.

 

“Well we would have picked Justin, but you're the one who was into babies at the time.” Mel tells Brian.

 

“Dick, it was his big fat DICK Mel. You should try it, maybe Justin can turn you straight.” Brian tells her. Luckily the kids were all far enough ahead of us not to hear.

 

“You know what Brian, you're probably right, maybe I should see if Justin could help me with that.” Mel smirks at Brian.

 

“It wouldn’t be the first time he got twat to fall in love with his generous attributes.” Brian smirks at someone behind us.    

 

“Brian, how many times have I told you insults are not allowed till I get here.” A girl tells him. She walks up to Brian and they kiss hello.

 

“Daphne, you should have come to me, not Justin. I would have pissed you off after the sex and you would have moved on.” Brian starts up again.

 

“Brian, apparently once you get Super Dick from you there is no turning back. Just look at Justin, Lindsay and Emmett.” Daphne says with a smirk.

 

“Emmett, is there something you didn’t tell us?” Ted asks Emmett.

 

“Please, Emmett, the nelliest bottom in the world and Brian, the biggest top, you guys never put it together, I did and I was seventeen.” Justin walks up and is kissing Daphne. I look to see if Brian is fine with this, it doesn’t seem to bother him.

 

“Well they did have to protect Michael from the delusion it was friendship that kept Michael from getting any.” Daphne laughs.

 

“I’ll have you know, I didn’t know any of the gang at the time and it took almost a month for Brian to remember.” Emmett tells us all.

 

“That’s not a compliment Emmett.” Ted tells Emmett.

 

“It was the first time he saw me naked at the gym Teddy.” Emmett tells Ted.

 

“Who saw you naked at the gym Emmett?” Michael joins in.

 

“Drew, Emmett was telling us the first time Drew wanted Emmett.” Justin says casually.

 

“I thought it was at his house?” Michael questions them.

 

“No that was the first time they had sex.” Lindsay adds in.

 

“Oh well, whatever, you guys need to keep up, I want pictures of everyone together.” Michael tells everyone and turns around headed back to the kids.

 

“Is there some reason you guys changed the subject?” I ask Ted as we follow everyone else.

 

“Michael had a thing for Brian and it never went anywhere. It’s better not to mention any close friend slept with Brian in front of Michael.” Ted tells me.

 

“What about Justin?” I ask because they seem to get along.

 

“Justin is a whole encyclopedia for Michael’s rants. Michael got over Justin when Ben came along.” Ted tells me.

 

“No, Ben just didn’t put up with the shit from Michael.” Daphne tells us.

 

“Ben wasn’t going to play second to Brian.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“He did when Justin and Brian broke up. I remember Michael telling me Ben was going to move out of Michael’s place.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Brian was trying to pretend Justin leaving his ass was no big deal. Instead he was all sad.” Mel says towards Brian.

 

“I think I got more ass during that time than any other.” Brian tells Mel.

 

“Want to rephrase that Mr Kinney?” Justin tells Brian. “Because we could go with no ass until you rephrase that.”

 

“Burn, Brian.” Mel tells Brian.

 

“I didn’t say it was any good, just a lot.” Brian tells us. Justin kisses him and runs off to catch a crying Theo.

 

“I hope this phase of crying for Justin ends soon for Theo.” Emmett says to me.

 

“I don’t know, Brian has been crying after Justin for fifteen years and it started when he was twenty-nine.” Mel says while sticking out her tongue at Brian. It occurs to me that Justin was barely legal when he met Brian.

 

“You don’t have permission to use that in the article your writing.” Mel tells me. I nod my head.

 

“I don’t care, it wasn’t illegal then, and it isn’t now.” Brian tells us.

 

“It makes people look down on us.” Lindsay adds in.

 

“Well then, point out all the sixty year old men with twenty year old wives. I mean who’s the child molester in that situation? Their wives parents weren’t even born when the guy was a teenager.” Brian tells everyone.

 

“Yes but people see them as adults, a lot of people didn’t see Justin that way back in the beginning.” Ted puts in.

 

“Ted, Howard BEDWETTER doesn’t count.” Brian tells Ted.

 

“I heard Howie got HIV from the bareback parties he was attending.” Emmett tells everyone.

 

The conversation continues like this for the rest of the afternoon. Everyone jumping back and forth on different topics. Maybe I should tell my editor this is going to take a few months to get an article written.

 

 

Chapter 6 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

Michael invited me to dinner to discuss more about his life, but Emmett cut in and told him everyone wanted to have dinner at Emmett’s house. I almost kissed Emmett, well except that I’ve seen Drew tackle people. Emmett told everyone we could barbecue at his house. Elle asked if Nana and Grandma Deb were coming.

 

“If you want them to Sweety.” Emmett told her.

 

“That would be great, Ma and I could talk to Kyle.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“Michael, why don’t we just have dinner and leave the interview for when Kyle can talk to you without so many distractions.” Ben is on my good list too.

 

“I think he’d want to know all about the time I talked about superheroes for your class.” I really don’t want to know.

 

“You mean when you wanted to jump Ben, but figured you needed to appear smart.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“No asshole, I meant when I was explaining comic book culture and how it related to gay culture.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“Michael, stop repeating Ben and admit you wanted to get laid.” Ted throws in.

 

“Dad what does laid mean?” Elle asks Brian.

 

“It means that Uncle Mikey really wanted to hug Uncle Ben.” Justin tells Elle, before Brian can say anything.

 

Everyone agrees to meet at Emmett’s house in four hours. I head back to my hotel to try to write some notes on this group. I haven’t been able to interview any of them. It’s like you ask a question and they go off on a tangent. I figured I’d start trying to write something.

 

When the Supreme court finally announced equal rights to same-sex couples, it was a day of celebration for the LGBT groups throughout the United States. No longer were they at the will of the laws for property rights and status as a legal couple. We were able to watch people celebrate their equality through marriage. I watched as couples in the state of Pennsylvania waited in long lines to begin life as a married couple, something that would be recognized equally in all fifty states.

 

Unfortunately for them, protesters wanted to stop the these couples from their right to be equal in the eyes of the law. They were yelling out that it was a sin, and the couples would burn in hell. A mother who was supporting her son told them to let them have the peace to do the same as other couples. This started a riot on the streets of Pittsburgh, and a time that should have been joyous, became a fight to be allowed to marry without narrow minded people interfering. I saw artist Justin Taylor, who wasn’t getting married, but was there to support a friend, tell a reporter, it was about the union not the individual sex lives. He further stated that everyone should have the same rights as Sally and Dave, pointing out the benefits were just as important as the marriage. It gave me pause for the first time. We’ve all heard the stories about how a gay man lost his home, one that he had been paying for with his long time partner, because the state will give all property to next of kin, and if the family is homophobic, the survivor loses everything because it’s not in his name. The survivor could also be forced to pay back half to the family for anything they jointly owned. The United States didn’t just say yes to marriage, but the right to own property together and making sure same-sex spouses were now the next of kin.

 

I decided to follow a group of men and women, all of whom have children and thriving careers, to see how they live their lives and how they feel the world had changed or not changed for them throughout their lives. I hope to give you a glimpse of how normal their world is, in future articles.

 

I first walked into Liberty Diner and thought I’d sit down with Debbie Novotny and conduct an interview. What I found instead is a large group of diversity. I met Debbie and she was shouting at the men in the diner as if they were all having breakfast at her home. The conversation was fast paced and everyone joined in. I met Emmett, a very colorful and extremely friendly man. I was surprised to see Justin Taylor waiting tables in the diner, Justin is a New York artist who could own half of Liberty Avenue but wanted to help out his surrogate mother because she was short-handed that day. Drew Boyd showed up and no one batted an eyelash that a famous football star came into the diner. It’s because this was a family, not a bunch of people eating somewhere.

 

I started this article wanting to tell you the stories of the struggles growing up gay and to give you insight as to how they see the world changing, instead I think learning how their lives are the same as any other person in the United States, might help others understand that being gay isn’t the devil’s work, but a difference in partners.

 

I sat there and read the article again and called my editor. I want to do a series on the men and women here, not just one article. My editor had me wait on the line and when he came back, told me he was going to run it tomorrow on the front page as a blurb and see if we could turn this into a series. I hung up and decided to print it out, so the others could read it. I want to make sure they understand I want to give people a glimpse of how normal their lives are.

 

I get to Emmett’s house and Drew answers the door. I ask him to read the article and pass it around. If they kick me out, I’ll understand. Everyone seemed fine with it, well except Michael.

 

“I thought this was an article about Ben and me getting married.” Michael started to whine. I was hoping he wouldn’t read it.

 

“It is, but my editor said I could do a series on each couple and I need to start with why I picked Pittsburgh.” I dread the day I have to interview Michael. I mean I don’t need to know how he first discovered Captain Astro, in detail.

 

“Mikey, don’t worry you’ll get your ten minutes.” Brian tells him.

 

“Brian, people need to hear about how Ben and I had to go to Canada to get married and how adopting Hunter was made harder because we were gay. I mean…” Michael starts his list of complaints.

 

“Dinner is ready everyone, come on before Michael tells you about his one and only blowjob from a girl, he paid five bucks for it.” Emmett interrupted.

 

“What’s a blowjob Daddy?” Elle ask Justin.

 

“I think Aunty Em should have to explain that one. Right Emmett.” Justin’s mother tells Emmett.

 

“Well honey it, um, you know, well.” Emmett is looking nervously at the grandmothers.

 

“Elle girl, it’s another thing you don’t repeat.” Brian cuts in.

 

“Dad that list is getting really long.” Elle tells Brian.

 

“Sweetheart, I’ll work with all of Daddy’s friends to keep from adding to the list.” Jen tells her and looks at the guys.

 

“Mother Taylor, I’m innocent this time.” Brian says to her.

 

“I heard you weren’t so innocent this morning.” Jen tells Brian.

 

“Mel, remind me to run you over before I leave tonight.” Brian tells Mel.

 

“Remind me why I didn’t run you over when you sent Gus home with a lifetime supply of condoms?”  Mel tells him.

 

“Justin, do they hate each other?” I asked.

 

“No, they just like to fight with each other, Lindsay and I won’t fight with them and the rest of the guys can’t win against either of them. I think if they were straight Lindsay and I would be single.” Justin says out loud.

 

“Take that back Justin, I wouldn’t want any part of Brian to soil any part of me.” Mel runs over and starts tickling Justin.

 

“You know Mel, I said Justin might make you straight, not to go for it.” Brian tells her.

 

“I could do for Justin what Lindsay didn’t do for you.” Mel and Justin are struggling for control in the tickle war.

 

“Do you know how long it took me to get Justin to give the perfect...conversation.” Brian looks at Jen and smirks.

 

“About as long as it took him to train your ass.” Michael cuts in.

 

“Well, at least we talked four times this afternoon, can any of you say the same?” Brian asks them.

 

“Where was my granddaughter during these talks?” Deb and Jen say in unison.

 

“Ted and Blake had her with them. Selena wanted to show her the new game Ted brought her.” Brian tells the women.

 

“Brian, there is more to life than talking all day.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“Michael when that day comes for me, you can just let me die.” Brian tells him. I see Brian look at Drew, who just walked into the room. Brian gets up and grabs Justin and walks out of the room.

 

“Emmett stop them.” Michael tells him.

 

“Michael you're on your honeymoon, you should be the one I stop.” Emmett laughs at Michael’s disapproving look.

 

“Jen, surely you think they should be more discreet with their talks.” Michael tells her.

 

“Michael, when did you become such a prude.” Debbie asks him.

 

“I’m not a prude, it’s just those two aren’t normal, nobody talks that much.” Michael is telling everyone.

 

“Michael, I hope to Emmett is willing to talk to me that much when I’m sixty. In fact, Emmett will you finally do me the honor of becoming my husband?” Drew asks Emmett. Emmett turns and stares at Drew who is holding out a ring. Brian and Justin come out with Champagne and glasses for everyone.

 

“Well of fucking course I’ll marry you.” Emmett yells and jumps at Drew.

 

We celebrated the rest of the night, and found out the Fourth of July party was going to be a wedding party.

 

End Notes:

I have one more for tonight but then it will slow down as I have to work all week. This one was just to much fun.

Chapter 7 by starlight
Author's Notes:

My muse is working in overdrive enjoy.

KYLE

 

Last night was fun. Ted and Blake arrived too late for the proposal but helped to celebrate with everyone when they got there. Deb asked me where I’ve been staying and I told her the paper was paying for a hotel. She told me to just stay with her until I was done. I told her I’d do that if I stayed longer. Emmett told me he would pick me up for dinner at Deb’s tonight. The guys were meeting at the gym after lunch and invited me to join. Justin told me he and Blake just go to watch hot guys work out. Brian glared at Justin.

 

I walked into the gym to see Brian, Drew, and Ben working out. Ted was sitting on a bike talking to Emmett. Justin and Blake were playing with the kids. It reminded me of a question I had for Justin.

 

“Justin, I noticed all the kids are in school in the summer. Is that to help them with other kids.” I ask Justin.

 

“No, it’s actually Gus’s fault. The first summer Gus spent with Brian and I we let him play video games all the time. My mom wanted to know if he was going to be enrolled in any summer programs. Brian and she talked about my education and now all the kids get to pick a program to be in till the end of June. The last one is Jenny’s and it ends on Monday.” Justin tells me.

 

“I still think JR should let me talk to her class.” Michael complains to everyone.

 

“Mikey, she wanted someone the other kids wouldn’t make fun of.” Brian tells him.

 

“I don’t get what’s so bad about talking about a comic. Justin illustrates them.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“Michael, she is taking intro to painting. Justin is the perfect person to talk to the class for that.” Ben tells him.

 

“Michael do you really want to talk to a class of teens about comics.” Ted adds.

 

“It would teach them there is more to life then game systems.” Michael tells us.

 

“Again Michael, it’s intro to painting, where in all that do you get comic?” Emmett talks slowly to Michael.

 

“Emmett, how are the wedding plans going for you?” Justin smirks at me.

 

“Oh dear God, I’m a party planner and it takes months to plan weddings and I have a week. Everyone better be willing to help.” Emmett looks at each of the guys.

 

“Emmett, we put together a wedding for the girls in two days, I think we can get your wedding off the ground in a week.” Ted tells Emmett.

 

“I’m not wearing a dress designed by Deb, no offence Michael. I want Armani and unlike bridezilla over there, we don’t have to fly in the flowers from Siberia.” Emmett says as he points at Justin.

 

“Hey, I wanted to have meaning behind the flowers.” Justin protests.

 

“We got the meaning, it went ‘Hey we’re getting married, oops we changed our minds’. Do you have any idea how much work I put in to the wedding that wasn’t.” Emmett tells the whole gym. I looked at everyone, I’m missing something here.

 

“Justin and Brian got back together after the bombing at Babylon and decided to give everyone a heart attack by sending invitations to their wedding. Justin wanted golden gardenias, which apparently grow in some mountain in China or something. So we all sit there waiting for these two to start the wedding rehearsal, and they come in smiling and tell everyone it’s off.” Ted tells me.

 

“Emmett, did you say Armani?” Brian seems really interested in that part of the conversation.

 

“Yes, I plan to go to your fashion mecca.” Emmett tells Brian.

 

“Justin, you know I have to go with Emmett to keep him from becoming a fashion disaster.” Brian tells Justin.

 

“Just don’t buy the whole store.” Justin says.

 

“I don’t want to shop with Brian, we’ll be late for my wedding.” Emmett begs Justin.

 

“That’s your problem Emmett, you brought up Brian’s heaven on earth.” Justin tells him.

 

“Why not just wear the suit you wore to my wedding?” Michael asks.

 

“I want to look good, not just throw on an outfit.” Emmett tells Michael.

 

“Are you saying you didn’t dress up for my wedding?” Michael asks.

 

“Can the drama Michael. Emmett, we are going tomorrow.” Brian tells Emmett.

 

“Brian you have Elle while I go to JR’s class.” Justin tells Brian.

 

“I still don’t get why I couldn’t speak to the class.” Michael says again.

 

We ended where we started with the whole conversation. Brian tells Michael to stop pouting. They all go back to working out again. We all separate and agree to meet at Deb’s tonight.

 

I walk into Deb’s with Emmett and his family. The house is small for so many people. I watch as everyone moves the furniture out of the way and bring in extra tables.

 

“Once dinner is finished we clear the tables out and move everything back in place.” Drew tells me.

 

“It’s crowded but we’ve tried eating outside but nobody wanted to be eaten by the mosquitos. Now we just attempt to fit everyone in.” Emmett adds.

 

“Plus Deb forgot people need light to see.” Brian tells us as Justin, Gus and Elle walk in with him.

 

“I didn’t forget, the bugs were all over when the lights were on.” Deb tells us.

 

“That’s the reason we squeeze inside.” Brian adds.

 

“Sunshine, come try the sauce. I think I needs something.” She tells Justin.

 

“Deb, if Justin gets fat, I’m trading him in.” Brian adds.

 

“You wouldn’t trade Daddy in, would you Dad?” Elle asks Brian.

 

“No Sweety, no one would put up with your dad if he did that.” Jen tells her. Behind Jen is a guy, and a girl that has to be Justin’s sister.

 

The door opens again and it’s Ted and Michael with their families. Mel and Lindsay walk in with Daphne and the guy who must be Deb’s Carl. It’s like watching the clowns coming out of a car. I thought everyone was here, but the door opens to a guy and girl coming in.

 

“Hunter, I thought you and Callie weren’t going to make it.” Michael seems really happy to see them.

 

“I had to miss your wedding but I wanted to at least be here to tell you and Dad congratulations.” Hunter tells Michael.

 

“That’s my other brother.” Jenny tells me.

 

“Are there more people coming?” I ask her.

 

“Well Daphne’s boyfriend or Molly’s boyfriend might show up, but yeah this is everyone.” She says this like it’s normal for thirty people to be in the same room.

 

“Emmett tries to get Grandma to have Sunday dinner at his house but she said tradition is important.” Jenny tells me.

 

“It is important, plus I live close to everyone but Mr Country House over there.” Deb point to Brian.

 

“Justin said pool and stables, I just did what he wanted.” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian, Justin was just kidding. You’re the one who had to by a five million dollar house.” Ted tell Brian.

 

“Keep it up and only Selena and Blake get to use the pool this summer.” Brian warns Ted.

 

“Dad, be nice to Uncle Ted.” Elle tells him.

 

“Want a tour of the house? I can show you the stables.” Gus says to me.

 

“GUS”  Everyone says.

 

“Hey Brian, if I dye my hair blond, will you by me a house?” Hunter yells at Brian.

 

“Dream on Hustler boy.” Justin yells. Everyone starts laughing.

 

“Well everyone, sit down and we can eat.” Deb yells over everyone.

 

“Pop, can I come home with you tomorrow?” Jenny asks Justin.

 

“JR why not come to my house.” Michael asks her.

 

“It’s Jenny Dad, not JR. My friend Stacey wanted to go swimming tomorrow.” Jenny tells him.

 

“Jenny, don’t you think you should ask Justin if your friends can come over to his house.” Lindsay asks her.

 

“Pop, do you mind if my friend Stacey, who you invited to come anytime, comes with me to swim in your pool.” Jenny can be sassy.  

 

“Jenny, keep it up and the answer is going to be no.” Mel tells her.

 

“Jenny is only saying that Justin lets her friend come over, get off her back Mel.” Michael tells her.

 

“Justin, why don’t we all meet at your house tomorrow, since Brian, Ted, and Emmett are going to Armani in New York.” Blake suggests.

 

“Hey, you didn’t invite me to go.” Michael looks at the guys.

 

“Mikey would you like to go to Armani with us tomorrow.” Brian rolls his eyes at Michael.

 

“No, but it would have been nice to have been asked.” Michael says.

 

“I wanted you to come over and go swimming with me.” Elle tells Michael.

 

“Well Brian should have just said that.” Michael is all smiles again.

 

“Elle wanted to surprise you.” Emmett tells Michael before Brian can say anything.

 

“Deb, you should help Emmett decorate for the wedding.” Brian adds.

 

“You want me to Emmett? We can have a rainbow theme and I would love to pick some really frilly dress for the girls. You know, with lots of bows and ruffles.” Deb is really planning.

 

“Deb, we wanted to keep it simple because of time constraints.” Emmett tells her, and I think he is trying to kick Brian under the table.

 

“Well, I could just help the girls find dresses.” Deb suggests.

 

“Why don’t we go together Deb.” Jen tells her. Emmett is mouthing thank you to Jen, who smiles back at him.

 

We finish eating and everyone starts getting ready to go home. Once again I haven’t asked any real questions.

End Notes:

Last one till tomorrow.

Chapter 8 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

Justin told me Gus would pick me up at the diner and bring me to the his house. I figured I could ask Gus some questions about growing up in his family. I got to the diner and Elle is sitting in a booth with Gus. Brian must have left early with Ted and Emmett.

 

“Hey Kyle, ready to go?” Gus is smirking at me. This boy is going to be the death of me. I know he’s sixteen, but he looks like he’s in his twenties.

 

“You got Elle duty?” I ask Gus.

 

“No, Daddy said if we left Gus alone with you, we might repeat history.” Elle tells us.

 

“I like history. Want to get a Liberty Avenue history lesson?” Gus asks me.

 

“Truthfully, a real history lesson and not a reenactment would be nice.” I tell Gus.

 

“Well it could have been fun. Let’s hop in the car and I can tell you about the gang.” Gus tells me. Gus checks to make sure Elle put her seatbelt on.

 

“Actually, I’d really like to ask some questions, no offence, but you guys start a story and it ends up somewhere beyond what I want to know.” I tell Gus.

 

“Ask, and if I can answer, I will.” Gus tells me.

 

“Why aren’t Brian and Justin getting married?” I ask. They seem to me like the couple who should be.

 

“Pop wanted to before he left for New York, but they talked and decided against it. They did file for Legal Domestic Partnership, and while they were traveling back and forth, decided to adopt Elle. I think Dad will eventually marry Justin, but neither cares to make a big deal out of it.” Gus tells me.

 

“You lived with your moms, but visited with your dads?” I ask him.

 

“My moms moved us to Canada when I was five, and I visited on school breaks and summers. I did live with Pop for six months when I was seven.” Gus tells me.

 

“What happened at seven? I’m just curious, nothing about the article.” I ask him.

 

“I was angry at my moms and wanted to live with my dads. They compromised and let me stay with Pop. At the time, Pop was staying in New York, instead of both places, because he wanted Elle not to have to travel all the time. Dad had to run Kinnetik, so he was with us on weekends. I got over it and moved back with the moms.” Gus tells me.

 

“Was it hard growing up with two moms and two dads?” I ask him.

 

“It’s the same for kids whose parents divorce and remarry. You get extra parents, but in my case they were all the same parents I’ve had since I was born.” Gus tells me.

 

“Did you feel pressure to be gay or straight?” I ask him.

 

“No, my identity is just that, mine. If I was straight the family wouldn’t care, you met Hunter, he’s straight.” Gus tells me.

 

We pull up to the drive of this enormous house. “Everyone calls it Britin.” Elle tells me.

 

“The house?” I ask.

 

“It was a joke between the dads, but Michael overheard so now everyone calls it that.” Gus tells me. I really want to ask him about Michael.

 

“Elle, tell Pop we’re here.” Gus tells her. Elle runs into the house.

 

“Go ahead, everyone asks it.” Gus tells me.

 

“I just wonder why everyone placates him?” It really puzzles me.

 

“Michael is a nice guy, but he’s likes to be the center of attention. Dad and the guys are always protecting Michael, kind of the way they do with Elle. Michael is the kind of guy who will give you the shirt off his back, but then you get to listen to him complain about being cold.” Gus tells me.

 

We walk into the house, Gus tells me we can change together in the pool house. I told him we could do that when I didn’t fear being murdered by his family. I walked with him to the patio and find Blake and Justin. Theo is sitting on Justin’s lap, the other kids are swimming.

 

“We came straight here Daddy. Gus told Kyle they could reenact history.” Elle runs to jump in the pool.

 

“Pop nothing happened, I promise.” Gus tell Justin.

 

“Gus go swim with the kids.” Justin tells him.

 

“Yeah Gus, why don’t you cool down, before Kyle figures out you're all talk.” Jenny yells.

 

“Well Junior, it’s better than showing off your goodies to the football team.” Gus tells her.

 

“What is JR showing to the football team?” Michael for the first time sounds like a father.

 

“NOTHING DAD! Gus is just pissy because Kyle won’t play Pop to his Brian in his fantasies.” Jenny tells him.

 

“I couldn’t live through another Brian and Justin marathon.” Michael tells us.

 

“It wasn’t that bad. If you weren’t so jealous at first, it would have been easier between you and I.” Justin tells Michael.

 

“You were a brat, telling me I was still waiting for the unfinished hand job, the first time we talked.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“Well you sat there talking out of your ass, ‘Brian doesn’t do relationships, you need to move on’.” Justin says imitating Michael.

 

“At the time, he didn’t. I mean all it took was you stalking his ass, he ended up giving in.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“Well it never worked for you. So the moral of the story is that you were a stalker, I was the guy he kept taking home.” Justin tells Michael.

 

“I found more mature partners. You and Brian were to busy having date night at the Baths.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“At least we called it a date, didn’t your ‘mature partner’ Dave call it a ‘business function’?” Justin asks Michael.

 

“We hadn’t defined our relationship yet.” Michael tells me.

 

“Look, if going to the Baths wasn’t a big deal, he would have told you. Instead he lied to you. Just saying.” Justin gets up and takes Theo into the pool. I almost want to cling to Blake.

 

“Well Kyle we can talk here. I should tell you about how my mother had to tell me I was gay. I was thirteen and …” Michael should really have to listen to himself talk.

 

“Mikey, are you telling Kyle about the time you were looking in the Sears catalogue at the men in their underwear?” Brian comes out. Guess they’re back.

 

“No Brian, I was telling him how Ma explained to me that I was gay.” Michael tells him.

 

“Well Michael, I figured I liked looking at boys, not girls, and that meant I was gay. What was so hard to figure out about it?” Emmett comes out.

 

“I was confused, okay.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“I think it was more along the lines of not wanting to give Deb another queen in the family. I mean your father was a drag queen, your Uncle Vic dated other queens, and you were on your way to being the high queen of drama.” Brian says to Michael.

 

“Just because you were practically born knowing doesn’t mean other people couldn’t be confused.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“Hey Kyle, when did you figure out you were gay?” Emmett asks me.

 

“I think I was twelve.” I tell them.

 

“Yeah, I was kind of in the Brian category, just always knew.” Emmett said.

 

“Emmett, you came out of the womb yelling fabulous.” Ted says to him.

 

“Baby, what about you?” Emmett ask Justin.

 

“When I was like eight. Unlike Michael, I was an early bloomer.” Justin tells us.

 

“I had to hide it because of my job.” Michael tells us.

 

“It’s the Big Q Mikey. Kyle you're a journalist with the New York Times. Did you hide your sexuality?” Brian asks me.

 

“No, but nobody really cares in the newspaper business.” I tell them.

 

“None of them cared at Big Q, except for Fat Marley, who set Mikey up on a date with Tracy.” Brian tells us.

 

“My boss Andrew treated me like shit when he found out.” Michael tells us.

 

“Andrew was still mad you got the manager position over him. When you came back he wanted to show everyone he should have gotten the position. It wasn’t about you being gay.” Ted tells Michael.

 

“Emmett, did you find a suit?” Blake asks.

 

“After having to be at Armani at eight this morning, which meant leaving here at six this morning, Brian made me try on ten suits. I tried to add a little flame to the outfit, but no can do, God Kinney told me to go to the Gap if that is what I have in mind.” Emmett tells everyone.

 

“Um Emmett, did you get a suit?” Blake asks. I wanted to ask too.

 

“Yeah, didn’t I just say that?” Emmett looks at everyone.

 

I need a drink, lots of them, just to hang out with these guys.

Chapter 9 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

JUSTIN

 

I was ordering dinner for everyone when Kyle walks in. I know we’ve been running him around in circles with the conversations, but he’s gay so why does he need to interview us? I know he’s been able to get some information from the guys, but we don’t know how to stay on topic.

 

“Kyle, how's it been going?” I ask him.

 

“Well if you want the truth, you guys can be exhausting. I come here with every intention of asking questions, but then it’s like a circus, you have to look everywhere to see something.” Poor guy.

 

“Well, I have a few minutes, ask a question.” I tell him.

 

“Why do you avoid interviews?” Kyle asks me.

 

“I don’t get why anyone cares about me. People want to look at my paintings, not find out that today Elle wants to be a comic hero, or why Brian and I don’t get married.” Justin tells me.

 

“I think it’s the fact that you seem mysterious.” Kyle tells me.

 

“No real mystery, I’m a father, Brian’s partner and a painter. My father disowned me for being gay, then divorced my mother when she wouldn’t support him over me. I met Brian and we had fun, then we had issues with commitment. Me thinking I needed him to say ‘I love you’, him showing me he loved me the only way he knew how. We got back together, he was willing to marry me. We didn’t because I was too young and had a future I needed to explore. Brian and I made the relationship work. That’s it, nothing all that exciting about it.” I tell him.

 

“I think you left off the part where you showed Brian you weren’t going to kiss his ass to keep him.” Emmett tells Justin.

 

KYLE

 

Oh God, here we go again.

 

“Justin kisses my ass all the time.” Brian tells Emmett.

 

“Where are the kids?” Justin asks Brian.

 

“Mother Taylor and Deb just showed up. Deb has some dresses to show you Emmett. You could be the prettiest bride this year.” Brian tells Emmett.

 

“At least I would look good in a dress, you don’t have the ass for it.” Emmett tells Brian.

 

“Justin definitely has the ass for it.” Ted tells us.

 

“Ted, is there some reason your looking at Justin’s ass?” Brian glares at Ted.

 

“Brian, there isn’t a gay man alive who hasn’t snuck a peek at Justin ass.” Blake tells Brian. Wow, they really want to die today.

 

“Well there isn’t anyone who hasn’t tried to see Brian naked either.” Michael tells us.

 

“Coming from the biggest peeker in the group.” Ted tells us.

 

“Hey, I stopped when I met Ben.” Michael tells them.

 

“I would have stopped too, if I met Ben first.” Justin smirks at Brian.

 

“Well I did for a night at the White Party.” Brian tells us. What?

 

“Well, he didn’t seem to want you after he met me.” Michael tells him.

 

“Mikey, I wasn’t available anymore.” Brian tells him.

 

“You mean you admit you and Justin were in a relationship? Out loud?” Emmett ask.

 

“Okay queens, listen carefully, he lived in my loft, slept with me regularly, and we were together most of the time. What does that sound like?” Brian says slowly.

 

“Well you were always telling everyone ‘there’s no locks on our doors’ what were we supposed to think?” Michael tells him.

 

“Well, I was hoping you would all just mind your own business.” Brian tells him.

 

“At the time, it was like watching a soap opera.” Ted tells us.

 

“I refused to be ‘Gay as Blazes’, and let’s face it, at eighteen, locking any door would have ended our relationship.” Justin tells them.

 

“It happened anyway when the fiddler came along.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“It might not have if someone could have minded his own business.” Justin tells Michael.

 

“Brian’s my best friend and I owed it to him to tell him. I don’t care what you say, if some guy was cheating on Daphne, you would have told her.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“I would have also told Brian what Justin was telling you when you two wrote the comic. You could have saved me the headache of watching you run around ‘being there’ for Brian.” Ben tells Michael.

 

“I didn’t like Justin at the time, because he was cheating.” Michael justifies it.

 

“I never could figure out how you cheated in an open relationship.” Ted adds.

 

“Justin needed to try out other relationships. Did I like it? No. Was I jealous? Yes, I admit it. Would Michael telling me about Justin’s issues about our relationship help? No, because I was an asshole and didn’t want to care. There you have it, any other questions girls?” Brian asks them.

 

“Is it true you hired an escort that looked like Justin?” Emmett asks. Brian flips him off.

 

I came in to ask Justin questions, and are you seeing the minefield these guys put you through?

 

“Pop, the kids are complaining they’re hungry.” Gus walks by me. Did he just rub my ass? Gus smiles at me.

 

“You mean you're hungry.” Michael says to Gus.  

 

“Sure, if Kyle wants to help me pick some ingredients in the pantry.” Gus tells Michael.

 

“Brian, your kid is trying to trick in the pantry.” Michael shouts.

 

“Gus, not around the food.” Brian tells him. Um, don’t encourage the kid.

 

“How about the pool house?” Gus asks me. Can’t they change the topic.

 

“Gus, how about no.” Justin, the voice of reason.

 

“What, I have to wait until I turn seventeen to make out with an older man?” Gus asks Justin.

 

“How about you look for someone your own age. I didn’t just say that.” Justin turns around and hugs Brain.

 

“Oh my God, you turned into your parents, Justin.” Michael starts laughing.

 

“Well, you know parents are supposed to stop all your fun, so Pop is on right on track. Michael you should tell Jenny that wearing a cheerleaders outfit doesn’t mean to flash the football players.” Gus tells Michael.

 

“JENNY REBECCA NOVOTNY MARCUS GET YOUR ASS IN HERE.” Michael says as he runs out of the room.

 

“Really Gus.” Justin tells him and follows behind Michael. There is a mass exodus from the room. I guess we all want to see Michael explode.

 

I was going to follow when Gus cages me in the chair. He starts sniffing my neck and God I need to get out of here.

 

“If I have to wait, make sure you wait for me.” Gus whispers to me. “Ouch Pop.” Justin came in and grabs his ear.

 

“Do not use the Kinney powers on poor Kyle.” Justin takes Gus with him. I sit there and realize Justin never stood a chance if Brian was anything like Gus.

 

“Dad, I do not flash the football players, I don’t care what Gus told you.” Jenny is whining like her father.

 

“I think I should talk to your coach about longer skirts and maybe a sweater instead of those tiny shirts.” Michael tells her.

 

“Michael your kid is never going to get la… to talk if you dress her like a nun.” Brian tells him.

 

“My Honeybun needs to stay innocent, till she get’s married.” Michael tells him.

 

“Yeah, like you did, right?” Emmett yells out.

 

“We are not talking about me, we’re talking about my little girl.” Michael tells him.

 

“Jenny, your dad did wait until Uncle Brian had to find him a date.” Ted tells her.

 

“OKAY, I DO FLIPS AND CARTWHEELS, MY SKIRT CAN NOT DEFEAT GRAVITY, SO OF COURSE YOU SEE THE BOTTOMS DESIGNED TO GO WITH THE OUTFIT. NOT MY GOODIES, AS MY NOW DEAD BROTHER IS TRYING TO TELL YOU, DAD.” Jenny shouts at Michael.

 

“Why didn’t you just say that.” Michael tells her. Jenny looks at her father and throws her hands in the air.

 

“Pop, after I kill Gus will you help me hide the body?” Jenny ask Justin.

 

I guess Gus thought we should die together because he turned around and planted a kiss on me. Then ran into the house. I looked at the guys.

 

“Sorry about the boy, we tried to keep him from becoming his Pop.” Brian tells me.

 

“Excuse me, but you know I was just standing at the street light minding my own business, you're the one who abandoned all your friends to chase me.” Justin tells Brian.

 

“You looked so innocent, I had to change that.” Brian says that and they both start inhaling each other.

 

“Brian, could you let Justin breathe.” Michael looks at them.

 

“Hey guys, not that we don’t enjoy the show, but there are kids present.” Ted tries.

 

“Brian, you know, you guys have a bedroom.” Emmett puts in.

 

They finally come up for air. Brian is staring into Justin’s eyes.

 

“Marry me.” Brian says.

 

“Marry me.” Justin says.

 

We all becoming crying queens on the patio.

Chapter 10 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

I stood and watched Brian and Justin ask each other to get married. They never said yes but everyone knew they meant yes. You could tell by the looks on their faces.

 

“Jen did you hear them? I didn’t think I live long enough to see them finally agree to get married.” Deb tells Jen.

 

“I knew they would do it, I finally wore them down.” Michael tells us.

 

“You mean wore them out, with your whining.” Ted says.

 

“I just think that if we can finally get married you should.” Michael tells us.

 

“I think Brian and Justin just finally found the time in their very busy lives to finish what they already did ten years ago.” Jen tells the guys.

 

“I get some credit, I told them they should do it.” Michael whines.

 

“Michael let it go. Just be happy for them.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Now I get to help plan two weddings.” Deb tells everyone.

 

“No, you get to plan one. Justin and I are going to have a small wedding at the house. I’ll leave the extravaganza to Emmett.” Brian tells her.

 

“You better not run off and get married. I want to take pictures. Otherwise no one will believe you two finally tied the knot.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“We better be invited.” Deb tells them.

 

“Everyone is invited, and it will be soon. After the last “wedding that wasn’t” as you guys like to call it, I just want to get it over with.” Justin tells us.

 

“If I have to suffer the pain that was Armani, you have to at least have a ceremony.” Emmett tells everyone.

 

“You going to plan it Emmett?” Brian asks him.

 

“I’m so fabulous that I could. In fact, plan on getting married on Saturday with me and Drew.” Emmett tells Brian.

 

“I don’t want to have you reminding me every year that Justin and I need to celebrate with you.” Brian tells Emmett.

 

“Too bad you couldn’t have decided to marry each other when Ben and I did.” Michael tells them.

 

“I think that would be worse than Emmett, I would have to hear about it for months before and months after.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“I’m not that bad.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“YES YOU ARE.” Everyone, including me, yells.

 

“Ben tell them, I’m not that bad.” Michael begs Ben.

 

“Michael, I married you for better or worse.” Ben tells him.

 

“Ben, get used to the worst.” Justin tells him. Michael glares at Justin. They both stare at each other and start laughing.

 

“At least Ben doesn’t have to worry about me hatching a plan, and bankrupting him.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“Hey I was just hanging posters, Brian is the one who charged a hundred thousand dollars to bring Stockwell down. I was completely innocent.” Justin tells Michael.

 

“Well he couldn’t let Stockwell win when you put so much tricking time into your campaign.” Ted tells Justin.

 

“Well if you guys had gotten off your asses and helped it would have been cheaper.” Justin tells them.

 

“Look, I was busy trying to be the Queen of Crystal.” Ted tells us.

 

“I was heartbroken over Teddy.” Emmett adds.

 

“I was on the run with Hunter.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“It was like the only cool thing you had done on your own, in the three years I knew you.” Justin tells Michael.

 

“I did lots of neat stuff.” Michael protest.

 

“Name something Michael.” Emmett tells him.

 

“I got a petition to bring back Captain Astro started.” Michael tells us.

 

“You worked on it for an hour, I saw you throw it away.” Ted tells Michael.

 

“I dressed up in drag and marched with Ma.” Michael tells them.

 

“Um Michael, Teddy and I made you do that.” Emmett reminds him.

 

“I created Rage.” Michael tells them.

 

“No you ogled Brian, and I said something on your own Michael.” Justin tells him.

 

“Okay, name something you did that was cool.” Michael challenges Justin.

 

“Let’s see, I was King of Babylon at eighteen, fought to take down Stockwell at nineteen, went to Hollywood as art director for the movie Rage at twenty, and the biggest one of all, got the King of Liberty Avenue to not only tell me he loved me, but propose to me at twenty one.” Justin smirks at Michael.

 

“I married Ben in Canada.” Michael tries.

 

“Only after I told you to and threw the wedding.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“Whatever. I do lots of cool things.” Michael tells me.

 

Gus comes flying into the room and hides behind me. Jenny is trying to get him.

 

“Save me.” He whispers into my ear. I want to yell ‘save me’ to everyone.

 

“Justin and Brian are getting married.” I tell the kids.

 

“POP, are you really?” Jenny yells. She forgot all about killing my future stalker.

 

“I told you they would.” Gus whispers and nips my ear.

 

“Gus, leave Kyle alone before he runs screaming from you.” Deb tells Gus. More like melt in a puddle at Gus’s feet. Why does he have to be so young?

 

“Granny Deb, I want to be like Pop. I mean he married the first guy he slept with.” Gus tells Deb. If this is Gus as a virgin, what will he be like later?

 

Justin walks over and pulls Gus off me. Gus grabs Justin and tells him congratulations. It’s the first time I can see how young Gus is. Elle and Selena come over to join in the hug.

 

“Did you hear Elle, Pop and Dad are getting married?” Gus asks her.

 

“They are married, I made them have a ceremony when I was five, remember Gus.” Elle tells us.

 

“I remember, but they are going to make it official this time.” Gus tells her.

 

“Dad, I get to be in the wedding. I want lots of those gardenias Daddy told me about.” Elle tells Brian.

 

“Elle girl, I’ll fly them in just for you and Daddy.” Brian tells her.

 

“NO, Daddy you can’t let Uncle Brian marry Pop, I want to.” Theo yells, grabbing Emmett’s leg.

 

“You can marry him after Uncle Brian goes to Gay Babylon in the sky.” Emmett tells Theo.

 

“Yeah Uncle Brian, you are way older than Pop.” Jenny teases. Brian starts chasing her around.

 

“Pop you’ll marry me, won’t you?” Theo asks Justin. I thought I had problems.

 

“Ask me again when you're thirty.” Justin tells Theo.

 

“Justin you get over here and let your mother hug you.” Jen tells him. Justin walks over but instead of hugging her, they start dancing and laughing together.

 

“Kyle, wanna dance?” Gus, my punishment for wanting to interview these guys, asks.

 

“Ask me when you’re seventeen.” I joke with him.

 

“You still going to be around then?” Gus asks me.

 

Brian tells Gus answer the front door, the food is here. Gus apparently thinks the food is more interesting than flirting with me and runs into the house.

 

“How old are you?” Brian asks. It still amazes me, I came to interview them and they end up interviewing me.

 

“Twenty-three.” I tell him.

 

“Just don’t screw my son and we’ll be fine. What you guys do when he’s eighteen is your business.” Brian tells me.

 

“I wasn’t planning on doing anything with Gus. I’m serious, well if he was older. Jesus Brian, don’t make it easier.” I can’t believe he is giving me permission.

 

“I’ll kill you if Gus gets hurt, but I can’t be a hypocrite and tell you I would have waited.” Putting his hand on my arm he adds, “That doesn’t mean run in there and flirt back.” Brian tells me.

 

“Kyle, it’s the Kinney gene, it makes them hard to resist.” Justin tells me.

 

“I’m going to resist. I don’t even live here.” I tell them.

 

“You should move here, we like you.” Emmett tells me.

 

“We have newspapers here and Brian will buy one, if you want a job.” Justin tells me. I would have taken him seriously but they were all laughing at me.

 

“I was kidding about my son. I couldn’t control Justin at seventeen, good luck with Gus.” Brian smirks at me.

 

“I’m just trying to write an article, if you guys would stop trying to confuse me all the time, I’d probably be gone already.” I know I sound hysterical, but I can’t even get one answer without a long winded discussion about anything and everything in their lives.

 

Chapter 11 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

I’ve been sitting in front of my computer and I have a blank screen, I’m so going to be fired. What do you write about these guys? My editor said I got a lot of responses and wants to write a blurb every couple days. I mean it doesn’t even have to be that long.

 

In the three days I’ve been with the men and women of Pittsburgh, I thought you would get an article about the hardships and triumphs they face being gay. What I learned is that they don’t pay attention to the world, only to each other. I’ve witnessed two proposals of marriage, each one unique to the men asking their partners to marry them. The family, related through love, cheering them on. Want to know the difference? Other than both partners being men, the couples are in love. Isn’t that why we get married, to be united with the person we love?

 

I think we should refer to the couples as A, B,C, and so forth. I want to let them have privacy in their lives.  Let’s start with couple A. This couple married in Canada, because at the time they wanted someone to recognize their Union. The family celebrated with them, but the minute they tried to cross back in the United States, they were told the United States doesn’t recognize their Union. On what should have been a time of joy for Michael Novotny, it became once again discrimination. On June 26, 2015, couple A went to join the thousands of others to finally have their union recognized and that was when they caught my attention. Michael’s mother wanted the protesters to leave everyone in peace. I wished I could have asked each of the protesters what two people in love and getting married had to do with the protesters lives. I think the only answer I would have gotten was the old, tired “It’s a sin, they're going to burn in hell.” I say let them, it will leave more room in heaven for people who judge other people. Maybe we should reread the part of the Bible that tells us “Judge not, that ye be not judged”, then the protesters need to tell everyone they lead perfect lives. I suppose none of them had a child out of wedlock, divorced, stole something, or hey, decided they know better than God. God made man in his image, but gave them free will. God made theses men and women gay, it’s not our job to judge them for it. It’s time to congratulate couple A instead of condemning them.

 

I send this to my editor, I want to separate each couple to have something to write. I also figured I could placate Michael since I used his name.

 

I was roped into helping Emmett with his wedding. The only person not helping is Brian. I have to figure out how he gets them to not even try to ask him. Emmett told us to meet at the diner that way everyone could help and talk at the same time. I almost asked Emmett, if expected to get anything done. Well time to tell how they work together.

 

I get to the diner and the group has taken over the whole diner. What is interesting is people who are just there to eat are helping them.

 

“Hey Kyle.” A guy I don’t even know, says.

 

“Kyle help me arrange the seating chart, I tried to get Justin to do it but he was doodling all over the page.” Emmett shows me Justin’s doodles.

 

“Emmett, sell it, you could probably pay for the wedding.” I tell him.

 

“See, I was just trying to help.” Justin tells him.

 

“Justin, helping means doing something, not trying to sneak off to the bathroom with Brian.” Michael yells.

 

“It’s helping me.” Brian tells us.

 

“Look, let them sneak off and all of us will help pay for the wedding.” A guy snickers.

 

“Yeah, it’s like ‘Jerk at Work’ Emmett. We can charge admission.” Ted adds.

 

“I’ll pay twenty, if they let me touch.” A guy leers at Justin.

 

“I’ll make sure you never use your dick again.” Brian warns.

 

“Guys, little ears.” Lindsay tell them.

 

“Yes Brian and Justin, do we need to talk to each other?” Jen tells them.

 

“Well I could try to TALK with you, just can’t promise it will be fabulous.” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian, if we TALK you might not remember your gay when I’m done.” Jen tells him. The whole diner hoots. And Justin just shakes his head.

 

“I would, but well, Lindsay might get jealous.” Brian tells her.

 

“Jen, it isn’t worth the time it takes to get him drunk enough.” Lindsay tosses out.

 

“Can I ask, what we were suppose to do here?” Michael asks Emmett.

 

“Well, I wanted to get everything planned out and um okay, nothing. Drew hired a team of planners, I just wanted to pretend I planned something.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Are you telling me, you interrupted my TALK with Justin because you’re bored?” Brian asks Emmett.

 

“No. Okay maybe.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Mother Taylor, can you keep your adorable granddaughter today. Justin and I have some plans to make.” Brian asks Jen.

 

“Plans mean being dressed Brian.” Michael tells him. Everyone in the diner yells for Michael to shut up.

 

“I happen to do my best thinking when I’m naked with Justin.” Brian tells Michael. Now the diner is cheering.

 

“Any reason to be naked would be fun, wouldn’t it Kyle?” Gus tells me. How did he get behind me?

 

“GUS.” The women yell.

 

“Elle, want to go shopping with me and Granny Deb?” Jen asks Elle.

 

“Do I get to pick my dress?” Elle asks.

 

“Jen, if I pay for all the dresses will you promise not to take them to Big Q? I want my children to dress high end.” Brian throws a credit card at Jen.

 

“Big Q has nice stuff.” Michael tells us.

 

“Michael you don’t work there anymore, stop promoting them.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Jen buy Michael a suit while you're out.” Brian tells Jen.

 

“I can dress myself.” Michael snips at Brian.

 

“I think jeans and the worn out Captain Astro tee shirt wasn’t the look Emmett was going for.” Brian tells him.

 

“Well at least it isn’t cargo’s and paint stained shirts.” Michael tells them.

 

“Michael, when you make as much as Justin does painting in those clothes, then we’ll let you wear Captain Astro.” I tell him. Everyone stops and looks at me. Shit, did I do something wrong.

 

“Kyle, they’ve turned you.” Mel is shaking her head.

 

“It only took four days. High five Kyle.” Justin tells me.

 

“I’ll have you know, the kids in the comic shop love my superhero shirts.” Michael tells them.

 

“Okay Michael, if I get married in the comic shop you can wear Captain Astro.” Brian tells him.

 

“You really want to get married in the store? That would be so cool.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“Yeah, I think I should marry Justin in your comic shop, because it’s so cool.” Brian tells him.

 

“I could decorate it.” Michael is clinging to the idea.

 

“Sure decorate it, we’ll be by tonight to get married.” Brian tells him.

 

“REALLY?” Poor Michael just walked right into that one, apparently he has no idea what sarcasm is.

 

“Michael, we’ve been friends for thirty years right?” Brian asks him.

 

“Yeah since we were fourteen.” Michael agrees.

 

“Wouldn’t you agree that your comic shop is the last place on the planet Earth I would get married?” Brian asks Michael.

 

“I think you might pick it over, say Justin’s shitty apartment.” Ted throws out there.

 

“It wasn’t that bad.” Justin tells them.

 

“Justin, I had to carry insect spray just to visit.” Emmett tells him.

 

“You made me carry shit up eighteen flights of stairs.” Michael whines.

 

“It’ll help you lose the ten pounds you gained from eating all the pasta’s at Debs. That’s what he told me.” Ted tells us.

 

“Man, Pasta sounds good.” “Deb want to feed me?” Gus and Justin start begging her.

 

“I have stuff in the freezer, go get it and I’ll heat it for you.” Deb hands Gus the keys. I want to point out we are in a diner that serves food, but Deb can cook.

 

“Justin, we have plans.” Brian tells him.

 

“You want to have to stop to feed me?” Justin tells Brian. Brian actually thinks about this.

 

“Elle want to spend the night with Uncle Mikey?” Brian asks her.

 

“Yeah, we can watch movies and you can help me with the next edition of Princess Elle.” Michael is thrilled.

 

“Dad, you aren’t trying to get rid of me are you?” Elle ask him.

“Elle Girl, I wanted to let you have time with Uncle Mikey, since he and Uncle Ben never seem to TALK.” Brian tell her.

 

“Dad, Uncle Mikey talks in his sleep.” Elle tells him. Everyone laughs, Elle looks around trying to figure out why.

 

Lindsay and Mel decided to go with the girls and the guys start planning to meet at Woody's later. Gus tells me we could TALK at my hotel. I ask Emmett if he needs more volunteers.

Chapter 12 by starlight

 

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

After escaping from Gus, I wander around with Emmett.  Drew told Emmett to relax, and that he wanted to plan the wedding.

 

“Drew told me, I plan everybody’s weddings and parties and it’s my turn to relax and let others do the work.” Emmett tells me.

 

“At least he took the kids, it means you get to have a day off.” I tell him.

 

“I’m a planner, I need to plan.” Emmett tells me.

 

“So plan Justin and Brian’s wedding.” I tell him.

 

“I would but Brian would just take Justin away and marry him without us. Brian never lets anyone have control of anything.” Emmett tells me.

 

“So plan it and invite them out and make it seem like any other night.” I tell him.

 

“I’d have to tell Teddy, Blake, Jen and Deb. They would never forgive me if I didn’t. Although we’d have to keep it from Michael, he’d just blurt it out.” Emmett tells me. I think even I knew not to tell Michael.

 

We decided to get Ted’s input on when to throw a wedding for Brian and Justin. Emmett told me someone else should be responsible for getting them there. Emmett told me he would somehow end up telling them the reason they were invited accidently.

 

Later on I was getting ready to meet the guys at Woody’s, when someone knocks on my door. I open it and no guesses who’s there.

 

“Kyle, just the man I was looking for.” Gus tells me. I wait at the door, I do not need him to come in.

 

“I’m going to meet your dad and the guys. Did you need something?” I ask him.

 

“I need a lot of things, but I’m actually here to bring you with me.” Gus tells me.

 

“Where are you taking me?” I ask Gus suspiciously.

 

“Dad told me to tell you ‘get in the fucking car and don’t ask questions’. That’s a quote.” Gus tells me.

 

I grab my wallet and follow Gus to the car. Gus tells me we have to pick up everyone else. Glad he brought Justin’s SUV with him. I hope this isn’t Gus messing with me. We pull up to Woody’s and he tells me to stay here and he’ll get the others. I watch as they all get in the car and we start towards Babylon.

 

“Why are we driving to Babylon?” Michael asks. I kind of want to know myself, it’s like five minutes from Woody’s.

 

“All will be revealed, just go in. I have a couple others to get. Kyle you can stay with me.” Gus winks at me. I get out and follow the guys in.

 

“Why is it closed?” Michael asks us.

 

“Hey Michael, since we were all with you, we know as much as you do.” I tell him.

 

“I bet Teddy knows, want to let us in on what’s going on?” Emmett asks Ted.

 

“Why do you think I know anything.” Ted tells us.

 

“Only because Brian tells you everything.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“Hey, Brian always tells me everything.” Michael cuts in.

 

“Well Michael, why is it closed?” Ben asks him.

 

“I don’t know.” Michael tells him.

 

“Oh my God, you mean Brian didn’t tell you? I thought he told you everything.” Emmett was heavy with the sarcasm.

 

“I have an idea, how about if we go in and find out.” I tell them. I can’t believe we are standing outside the door, debating this.

 

We finally walk in the door. The club is silent, no lights and no music playing. We all look around and try to figure out why Brian summoned us.

 

“BRIAN, WE’RE HERE, CAN YOU TELL US WHY YOU WANTED US HERE?” Michael yells.

 

“Michael, you do realize there isn’t any noise but you.” Ted tells him.

 

“What? I was just trying to get Brian’s attention.” Michael tells us.

 

“You could have just called out, not yelled at the top of your lungs.” Ben tells him.

 

The door opens and in comes the rest of the gang and the kids. Now, I really want to know what is going on. I see a group of people enter the club from the back and they start getting things set up. Michael tries to question everyone, but our group has no idea, and the people setting up won’t tell Michael anything, no matter how much he pesters them. We watch as tables are set out, chairs all around the room. I see Elle come running out of the back.

 

“I thought you were suppose to have Elle?” Emmett asks Michael.

 

“Brian called and said they were keeping Elle tonight.” Michael tells Emmett.

 

“Jen do you know what’s going on?” Michael asks her.

 

“Yes, I do. In fact I need Michael and Daphne to come with me. The rest of you have a drink and chat. Deb you take Michael.” Jen tells us.

 

It didn’t take but a few seconds to find out what was going on. It happened as soon as Michael saw Brian.

 

“ARE YOU SERIOUSLY GOING TO MARRY JUSTIN IN BABYLON?” Michael shouts.

 

“Guess we don’t need to plan the wedding.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Brian thought you might try, so he figured he’d get it over with before you had a chance to.” Ted tells Emmett.

 

“I would have made it tasteful.” Emmett tells everyone.

 

“Brian wasn’t worried about that, they just didn’t want to have giant wedding.” Ted tells Emmett.

 

Once Michael is dressed he comes back out. Michael is dressed in a suit, he almost looks like an adult.

 

“Kyle, want to see the backroom?” Hunter teases me.

 

“I think I’ll stay where Gus can’t corner me.” I tell Hunter.

 

“At least you finally stopped trying to hit on Brian.” Michael tells Hunter.

 

“Hey Callie told me that if Brian is willing, she’ll let me.” Hunter tells Michael.

 

“Callie, don’t encourage Hunter.” Michael tell her.

 

“Dad, I was kidding.” Hunter tells Michael.

 

“If you think Gus is bad, we need to tell you about Hunter chasing Brian.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I was just trying to help Brian get a murderer off the streets.” Hunter tells me. I need to start making a fact sheet and have them fill in the missing pieces.

 

“You were trying to get in Brian’s pants.” Emmett tells Hunter.

 

“That was a side benefit.” Hunter tells us, shrugging

 

I feel someone hug me from behind. I didn’t even bother to struggle, someone would get him.

 

“Hunter was a hustler, he fucked a retired cop. The cop had killed a guy named Jason Kemp. Hunter brought the evidence to my Dad.” Gus whispers to me.

 

“Got it, you can let go now.” I tell him.

 

“Why, it’s so comfortable.” Gus tells me. “Okay Mama, ow, let go of my ear. Why can’t you guys grab somewhere else?”

 

“I could but I want you to be able to have kids one day.” Mel tells him.

 

“Mel, Gus is gay. I don’t think he’s going to be having having kids.” Michael tells her.

 

“Michael, you're all gay and you all have kids.” Mel tells him.

 

“Yeah you're right.” Michael tells us.

 

Brian comes out. “Okay girls and girls, sit down, shut up and we’ll get this over with. I don’t want any comments.” I almost asked Gus to make sure to contact me when he gets older, Brian is stunning.

 

“So what do I do?” Michael asks.

 

“Michael, it was decided you get to stand next to me, because if we don’t let you, we’ll never hear the end of it.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“What I meant was do I give you away or hand out the rings?” Michael asks Brian.

 

“Just stand next me and don’t say a word. Are you listening? I don’t want you to object or tell a story, I want you to keep your mouth shut.” Brian tells him.

 

“You act like I talk too much. I mean I could just say a few words. Like tell everyone about growing up together. How Justin keep chasing you, and that he …” Brian cuts him off.

 

“That is why I said to shut up. You can tell everyone after the wedding.” Brian tell us.

 

I noticed the stage was set up with a couple vases of flowers and Ted is standing center stage. A blonde woman walks in and hands Brian a box. Brian hands it to Michael. Gus comes out dressed up like Brian and stands with Elle. Drew comes in with the kids and joins Emmett.

 

Brian and Justin stand together with the kids and Ted marries them. Gus told me they wouldn’t make a big deal out of it and he was right. Michael gets his moment when they ask for the rings and smiles as he hands them to the guys. They are pronounced married.

 

“Okay, now that you got to be here, everyone happy?” Brian asks. Everyone laughs but agrees.

 

“How about everyone tell their favorite Brian and Justin stories?” Michael suggest. Brian hands Michael a microphone and tells him to go for it.

 

“As you know, Brian has been my best friend..” Just as Michael starts to talk the music cues and Michael is drowned out. I think we’ll all thank Brian for that.

Chapter 13 by starlight

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

I sat at the table with Justin and with everyone else busy, I figured maybe I could ask him some questions. I had to try.

 

“Justin, why the simple ceremony?” I ask him.

 

“We already feel married, it was just to let everyone be a part of it.” Justin tells me.

 

“Why here and not the house, like Brian suggested earlier?” I ask him.

 

“If we did it at the house, and told them ahead of time, everyone would feel like they had to help or buy things that Brian would trash.” Justin tells me.

 

“Like the fertility statue.” Mel adds. So much for asking questions, I shouldn't even try anymore.

 

“What ever happened to that statue?” Emmett asks Mel.

 

“Lindsay and I hid it in storage. Michael stopped asking where it was, so I figured it was safe to put it out of sight.” Mel tells Emmett.

 

“Remember Michael and Ted being pissy about that statue?” Justin asks Emmett.

 

“Oh my God, they spent the entire time bickering like children about it.” Emmett tells me.

 

“You act like they don’t always act like children.” Brian tells us.

 

“No, that would be you Brian.” Mel tells him.

 

“Mel, Justin is the adult in this relationship, I get to be forever young and beautiful.” Brian tells her.

 

“You mean you have to color your hair and use every anti-aging medication created, so people don’t ask if Justin is your kid.” Mel tells Brian.

 

“We’ve seen the gray hair.” Emmett tells him. Brian looks horrified.

 

“Brian you are young and beautiful, don’t let Emmett’s receding hairline bother you.” Ted snickers. Emmett touches his head.

 

“It’s great being young and blond, no one sees the gray, right Ted?” Justin looks at Ted.

 

“I was trying to look younger.” Ted argues.

 

“It didn’t work, he even tried dressing like Justin, when he went to the clubs.” Emmett tells us.

 

“I did not.” Ted truly looks offended.

 

“Tee shirt, jeans and a crappy jacket. Wait, that’s Michael.” Brian tells Ted.

 

“We can’t all pretend to be young and beautiful, like you.” Emmett tells Brian.

 

“He’s Brian Kinney, for fuck sake.” Michael shouts. Everyone just looks at him.

 

“Well he is.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“Michael you're like the guy who claps at the wrong time.” I tell him.

 

“No, dear Mikey, it’s now Brian Taylor-Kinney for fuck sake.” Justin teases Michael.

 

“It just doesn’t sound the same.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“Yeah, Mr Michael Novotny-Bruckner, wouldn’t know why you would have a problem with elongating a name.” Ted tells him.

 

“Emmett you plan on taking Drew’s name?” Did I just rescue Michael? It’s contagious.

 

“I would, but Honeycutt works for me. Boyd just doesn't scream party planner.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Are you and Blake going to make it official?” Mel asks Ted.

 

“Blake and I might sometime, but we aren't in a hurry.” Ted tells us.

 

“I would have bet on you and Blake before Brian and Justin.” Mel tells Ted.

 

“We already signed Partnership papers when we got Selena.” Ted tells us.

 

“I feel more committed being married than if we just signed a bunch of contracts.” Michael tells Ted.

 

“That’s how you feel, my relationship with Blake is based on how we feel.” Ted tells Michael.

 

“I don't get why you don't get married, you pretty much signed you life over to Blake anyway.” Michael tells him.

 

“I don't jump on a cause just to show off.” Ted tells Michael.

 

“It’s to support gay rights.” Michael just won't give up.

 

“Hey Monty, or is it Eli, let it go.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“You supported the cause Brian, and Eli and Monty aren't that bad.” Michael answers.

 

“Of course not, they just think we set the gay movement back, and remind us of that every time you bring them out with us.” Emmett tells him.

 

“They tell everyone how to live their lives.” Ted adds.

 

“Maybe if they borrowed the sling I gave you, they’d stop trying to be the Beaver’s parents. I swear I saw Eli wearing a dress while vacuuming one day.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“It was just an apron.”Michael tells us.

 

“You ever seen that boring ass show Gay as Blazes, Kyle?” Justin asks me.

 

“It think I watched like one or two shows. They should have called Boring as Blazes.” I tell him.  Justin high fives me.

 

“That’s what it’s like when Michael makes us hang out with Eli and Monty.” Brian tells me.

 

“When I was doing naked housekeeping, I swore the couple were from the show. I started to believe it was real.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Until they both let you blow them.” Ted tells Emmett.

 

“I had a new respect for Brian and Justin after that.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Eli and Monty aren't like that.” Michael defends his friends.

 

“If they were, we would have liked them.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“Michael, nobody likes them.” Deb tells him.

 

“Ma, they just didn't like all the sex talk.” Michael tells her.

 

“It’s because they stopped having sex when they became girls.” Ted tell Michael.

 

“You know, I once explained to Michael, us girls  probably have hotter sex than you one hit wonders.” Mel tells us.

 

“Ma, make her stop before she tells me again.” Michael whines to Deb. All the guys start whining with Michael.

 

“Michael you did something cool, all on your own.” Justin pats him on the back. Michael smiles but looks confused.

 

“I hate all you guys.” Mel tells us.

 

Everyone starts getting ready to go home. It was fun just hanging out. Brian tells everyone not to bother him and Justin until the weekend, unlike Michael, they are going to honeymoon.  

 

I decided to sit down and write about each couple and the difference in their views.

 

I attended the wedding of the couple I’ll refer to as B. The two of them had signed up for Legal Domestic Partnership, before marriage equality. While couple C is having a bigger wedding over the weekend, couple B only got married so the family could witness their joining. Couple B tried to have a commitment ceremony, but in the end decided against it. It’s my belief that Couple B are realists. They don’t do things that, in the end are just a pointless exercise to them. Neither got married to give each other rights, but because for them it was time. Their son told me, they would get married but didn’t want the bells and whistles. The wedding was short and to the point and made the family happy, that was why they did it at the club they own. It wasn’t a statement for them.

 

Couple C have a wedding planned for this weekend. At the after party for Couple B’s wedding, they discussed changing their names and  even though they are having the big wedding the grooms are keeping their original names. Couple B combined their names but still go by their original last names in public. Couple A combined their names after getting married in Canada.  They argued with a man, part of Couple D, he and his partner aren’t in any hurry to make it official. He told them they would when they wanted to. A discussion on the importance of supporting the cause ensued.  He stood firm on it not being a big issue in his relationship.

 

I think part of the excitement of the group is how they are all in sync with each other. They can talk about an issue and no one has to explain anything, they just all get it. In every discussion they make fun of each other and no one get’s their feelings hurt. This is true friendship at it’s best.

 

I stare at this article and wondered if my life would be different if these people had been there to guide me. My life wasn’t difficult, but my circle of friends are no longer as close as the gang of men and women in this article. They help each other and would be there for each other at the drop of a hat. Most of us only get one person like that in our lives, they have over thirty people in theirs.

 

I sent this in to my editor. I stopped trying to get any formal interviews, because if you pay attention, they are giving one, it just takes forever to get to the point.






Chapter 14 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Brian and Justin are MIA.

 

 

 

 

 

KYLE

 

At first I though this week would be boring without Brian and Justin around. Instead you have Emmett freaking out over Ted suggesting Drew would have a football themed wedding. And Michael taking my article to show everyone his name in print. It’s like without Brian and Justin, they get crazier.

 

“Teddy, has Drew told you something about the wedding?” Emmett is practically hysterical.

 

“Emmett, if Drew wants to add a little football, be nice about it.” Deb tells him.

 

“You could always dress in his football jersey.” Michael adds.

 

“We could wear team homo shirts and I can get buttons with dick jokes.” Deb tells him.

 

“I think we should get to wear the padding. It would be the only time in my life I would look built.” Ted tells them.

 

“I WANTED A TASTEFUL WEDDING!” Emmett screams at us while fanning himself.

 

“Calm down Emmett. Hey did you see the article Kyle wrote? It has my name in it.” Michael tells the whole diner.

 

‘WE KNOW MICHAEL.” The whole diner yells.

 

“I don’t care if you get named for the Nobel Peace Prize, Michael. Focus on the fact that Drew is trying to turn my wedding to an after game event.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Guys in tights, that’s right up your alley, Michael.” I tell him. It didn’t take me long to speak Liberty Avenue. Remind me to thank them for helping to turn me into them.

 

“Please don’t mention guys wearing tights, I keep seeing the strippers.” Michael whines.

 

“Michael, get over it. I bet you tried to get Ben to dress up as Captain Astro a time or two.” Ted tells them.

 

“I want to talk about my wedding, but you know, that could be hot.” Emmett tells us.

 

“DO NOT DEFILE MY SUPERHEROES.” Michael really got some volume behind that.

 

“What’s wrong with your superheroes, Michael?” Ben asked as he sat down. I notice Michael’s screaming doesn’t affect Ben.

 

“Nothing Ben, don’t encourage them.” Michael tells Ben.

 

“Is it true Michael gets you to dress as Captain Astro?” Ted asks. Ben looks at Michael.

 

“I didn’t tell them, they were just guessing.” Michael tells Ben.

 

“I don’t think it’s a guess anymore.” Emmett adds.

 

“It was only once.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“Michael, could you work on not blurting shit out?” Ben asks him.

 

“Ben everyone role plays, it adds spice.” Emmett tells him.

 

“What have you role played?” Ted asks Emmett.

 

“Nothing really, I just let Drew pretend to tackle me. Man, I was just about over your announcement that Drew was going to use football as a theme. Teddy you have to talk to him.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Emmett, We are talking about Drew here. He probably hired the planners and told them to do what they liked.” Ben tells him.

 

“That’s even worse. Planners left to do what they want is like Deb and Christmas decorations.” Emmett tells them.

 

“Wow, you think it will be that beautiful?” Deb asks Emmett.

 

“Beautiful is what I was looking for, not overblown and gaudy.” Emmett tells everyone. Deb swats Emmett on the head.

 

“What if Drew uses the team colors?” Michael asks. I think we should swat Michael.

 

“Oh God, I wanted fabulous, instead I’ll be the only person dressed for a wedding, while the others are dressed for training camp.” Emmett needs a Prozac.

 

“I was kidding. You know if that was Drew told me football was the theme, I would have steered him in another direction.” Ted tells Emmett.

 

“I’ll get you for that Teddy, you won’t know when or how, but I will.” Emmett tells Ted.

 

“Of course I’ll know, you’ll end up telling me.” Ted tells him.

 

“Hey Ted, did you see the article?” Michael asks him.

 

“Michael you bought half the papers in Pittsburgh and sent everyone two copies. Why two?” Emmett waits for Michael’s reason.

 

“Well I knew you all would want one, but I sent the second one so you could frame it.” Michael tells us.

 

“That actually makes sense, for you.” Ted tells Michael.

 

We all finish breakfast and are on Michael duty. Ben and Ted explained that Michael left on his own would run to Brian and Justin to show them the article. Brian would then make sure JR was Michael’s only biological child and put an end to Ben’s sex life.

 

“It’s not like I want to go over there and stay all day. They have to come up for air sometime.” Michael tells us.

 

“Michael, you do remember you're talking about your best friend, don’t you?” Ted asks Michael.

 

“Well yeah, but they aren’t kids anymore.” Michael points out.

 

“Michael, unless they call, you stay in town.” Ben tells him.

 

“I want to tell Justin about a story idea.” Michael tells us.

 

“Unless it’s about Rage fucking JT into a coma, they aren’t going to care.” Emmett tells them.

 

“I bet if you call them Ted, you’ll find out they are just sitting around. They would probably be ready for some company.” Michael tells us.

 

“Not falling for that one Michael.” Ted tells him.

 

“What do you mean Ted?” Michael asks  him. You could almost believe Michael is this innocent.

 

“The one where you called ten times and Brian didn’t answer, so you try to get me to call.” Ted tells Michael.

 

“It was only three times, wait four, no make that six. I had a recipe I wanted to share with Justin. Oh yeah I called two more times to ask Brian if we were traveling together to the wedding. I called Justin to see if he wanted us to take Elle. Then called back and left a message about me remembering that Jen was keeping Elle. I called to see if they wanted me to bring over some of Ma’s lasagna. I only called when necessary.” Michael tells us all.

 

“It’s a Novotny thing, Deb calls Michael at least three times a day.” Ted tells me.

 

“Michael, is always on the phone.” Emmett tells them.

 

“No, I’m not.” Michael protest, his phone rings. “It’s Ma.”

 

“Ben how do you put up with it?” I ask him.

 

“If Deb calls you answer, everyone of the guys will tell you that. If they are together in a small room, I wear earplugs because nothing will block my hearing the two of them, I just want the conversation volume to sound normal.” Ben tells us. I still don’t get it, Zen Ben married Drama Queen Michael.

 

“I think the professor was looking for excitement and instead got the Novotny’s.” Ted tell me.

 

“Teddy, remember your shrine.” Emmett tells him.

 

“It was just a photo collage.” Ted defends himself.

 

“Of one person?” Emmett questions Ted.

 

“There were others in the photos.” Ted tell him.

 

“Club boys you didn’t know, but I did notice that the gang was cut out off the photo’s. Poor Brian had his arm cut off in every photo.” Emmett tells them.

 

“In what photos?” Michael catches back up.

 

“You know, the ones you and the Doctor took of Paris.” Emmett tells Michael.

 

“I’m working on the pictures of the zoo. I have captions under each one and I had so many photo’s  it might take an hour for us to go through them.” Michael tells us.

 

“Well, it’s my wedding weekend and I declare it a ‘Michael Afterschool Special’ free zone.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Emmett, everyone is going to be disappointed if they don't get to see them.” Michael whines to Emmett.

 

“Tell the disappointed party, they can come to your house and see the show.” Emmett tells Michael.

 

“I can see it now, in attendance, your mother, you and Ben. The rest of us have plans that night.” Ted tells Michael.

 

“How can you have plans when you don’t know the date?” Michael asks Ted.

 

“I’ll be washing my hair.” Ted tell Michael.

 

“I’ll be planning a party for someone.” Emmett tells him. They all look at me.

 

“I have to hide from Gus.” It was weak, but I was afraid if I said I would be in New York, Michael would volunteer to come to my house.

 

“I have papers to grade, but I’ll be there in spirit.” Ben adds.

 

“I bet if I called Brian, he would come.” Michael tells us.

 

How did we get back to calling Brian?

End Notes:

I have the weekend to finish this. Hopefully I can think of something new.

Chapter 15 by starlight

KYLE

 

It’s like a mad house at Debbie’s. Everyone is meeting here to go to the beach house. Arguments ensued about how to get there.

 

“We should rent one of those tour buses.” Deb tells us. She’s been saying that all week.

 

“We’d need to rent two, one for the children, to protect them from the idiot patrol.” Mel puts in.

 

“Jen and I can keep the kids with us and all you idiots can ride together.” Deb tells Mel.

 

“I want to stay with Pop.” Theo tells everyone.

 

“Wouldn’t you rather play with Stuart?” Emmett asks him.

 

“Daddy, Pop might get lonely without me.” Theo tells him seriously.

 

“Theo, you could play with me. Daddy wouldn’t go anywhere without us.” Elle tells him.

 

“Pop needs me. Uncle Michael said that Pop tends to get lost.” Theo tells us.

 

“Michael, I thought we told you to quit telling Theo things like that.” Emmett walks over to Michael. I almost want to stand in front of Michael, Emmett has been stressed all week.

 

“I said he gets lost in thought, not lost like the time we went to get him in New York.” Michael is backing into Ben.

 

“Stop saying lost and Justin in the same sentence, or Theo is going to be a nervous wreck before he reaches six.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Theo, you know that I can always find Pop. I would never let him get lost.” Gus is down on his knees talking to Theo.

 

“You promise Gussy?” Theo asks him.

 

“I do, and you know that I never make a promise unless I’m going to keep it.” Gus tells him. I think I need to wait for Gus to grow up. “Just like I promise to find Kyle when I hit eighteen.” He just had to ruin the cute moment, but hey, if he’s willing to wait, so am I.

 

“How are we going to get to the beach house?” Deb asks everyone.

 

“Well Deb, I actually thought the bus idea had merit so I rented two, one for you, the adults and kids. And one for the delinquent crew I’m about to marry into.” Drew tells her.

 

“Does this mean Michael has to ride with his Mommy?” Brian asks.

 

“She said the adults and kids.” Michael tells Brian.

 

“Well you pretend to be an adult, but then you scare poor Theo like a bratty child. I just wanted to check, since we delinquents are going on the second bus.” Brian tells him.

 

“You just don’t want Theo to interrupt your Talking time with Justin.” Michael tells him.

 

“The way you tell Theo things, it might take until Theo is too old to be carried to stop it.” Ted throws in.

 

“Whatever, I think we should assign seating, from oldest to youngest.” Michael tells us.

 

“So you and Ben get to sit together but everyone else has to sit with other people?” Emmett asks.

 

“I didn’t think of it that way, but Ted and Ben would have to sit together.” Michael tells us.

 

“How about we sit where we want and you can sit at the front and tattle on us to the driver.” Justin tells Michael.

 

“If you and Brian could keep your clothes on, I wouldn’t have to tattle on anyone.” Michael tells everyone.

 

“Daddy, I want to be on the naked bus.” Stuart tells Emmett. With that, Stuart starts taking off his clothes and running around to get away from Emmett.

 

“You need to find out if you accidentally donated to Stuart and Theo’s mother, Brian. I mean Theo constantly runs after Justin, and Stuart is starting early in the naked department.” Mel tells Brian.

 

“Mel, I would be proud to call them my kids. Look at Stuart, not only is he running from Emmett, but he’s able to remove his pants without stopping. I don’t even have that skill set.” Brian tells her.

 

“No Daddy, I like being naked.” Stuart squeals while still evading Emmett.

 

“Stuart Aidan Boyd, you stop right now.” Jen yells out. Stuart stops in his tracks, how does she do that?

 

“Nana, they are all going to be naked.” Stuart points at all of us. Why is it when Jen looks at us like that we all feel like confessing all the bad things we ever did?

 

“Stuart, pick up your clothes and put them on, I have cookies for all the good boys and girls.” Debbie tells Stuart. All the kids start trying to get cookies. I notice Michael and Justin standing in line as well. Brian stares at both of them.

 

“Shut up Brian, Michael and I were raised on Deb’s cookies.” Justin tells him.

 

“Ben take your child bride into the house and get him a cookie, so I don’t have to keep Stuart from getting naked on the front lawn and hire a psychiatrist for Theo.” Emmett tells him.

 

The tour buses arrive about two hours later. I think we are all ready to go. Emmett actually taped Michael’s mouth shut, while the guys held him down. Michael wanted to tell everyone about Justin stripping at Babylon. It seems he forgot Stuart was in the room. We all chased the kid, I have to admit, the kid could probably lead a football team to victory with his evasion skills.

 

Drew told Jen and Deb he got the buses with game systems and DVD players so they could let the kids play. He got the buses stocked with food. He wanted to stop as little as possible. These were the buses the team used for long distance travel.


Jen, Deb, Carl and Tucker took the bus with the kids. Jen told us she still wants to have the illusion that Justin was a good child. Deb told us she’s grooming the kids for the future. Carl and Tucker just got on the bus. On our bus, Michael wanted to pick seats by pulling names out of a hat. He pulled the first one read the name and put it back, then went to pick another name. Brian walked up and grabbed the hat and threw it out the door. Brian took Justin to the back and started making out with him. Ted and Blake sat in the middle, like they were Switzerland. Emmett and Drew sat in front of them, Emmett turned and talked over the top of the seat to Ted. I was going to sit in the seat next to them, but Gus grabbed me and pulled me behind them. Mel and Lindsay sat next to Ted. Daphne and her boyfriend, Alex, ran to the back with Brian and Justin. Molly told Michael they could sit together. Which seem to make Michael happy. Molly’s boyfriend, James, teaches at Ben’s school. Hunter and Callie sat in the Ted group. The bus with the kids starts going and we are about to leave when Michael tells the driver to wait. He runs off the bus and into the house, we all wonder what he forgot. Michael returns with a suitcase and sits back down. The bus starts to go. We have a six hour drive, it won’t be so bad.

 

“I wonder what Michael has in the suitcase.” Blake tells us.

 

“It’s probably gang shirts with Kyle's article on the back.” Ted puts in.

 

“No it’s probably Michael’s cheerleading outfit.” Mel adds.

 

“I was a cheerleader.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“You still have the uniform.” Mel leers at her.

 

“It had really short skirts.” Brian puts in.

 

“How would you know?” Emmett asks him.

 

“I figured if anything would make me straight it would be Lindsay in her cheerleading outfit.” Brian tells us.

 

“Thanks for ruining that fantasy for me.” Mel tells Brian.

 

“I aim to please.” Brian tells her.

 

“We’re trying to figure out what Michael had in the suitcase.” Ted tells Brian.

 

“Why? It’s bound to be something like comics.” Brian tells us.

 

“Do they always make fun of Michael?” I whisper to Gus.

 

“No, they take turns making fun of each other, but Michael has been really obnoxious about the article.” Gus whispers into my ear. Brian turns and looks at Gus.

 

“Gus, learn to be less like your Uncle Mikey and more like me.” Brian turns back around. I swear it's a conspiracy to keep Gus flirting.

 

“Mikey, what’s in the suitcase? Enquiring queers want to know.” Brian tells him.

 

“NO BRIAN!” Daphne and Justin practically spring out of their seats.

 

“I’m so glad you asked, Emmett said we couldn’t have the slideshow at his WEDDING, so since the bus is equipped with a DVD player, I thought we could watch my home movie of the trip.” Michael tells us all. It’s like a horror movie, we are all trapped and the maniac has us in his clutches.

 

“Hey Jester, catch.” Molly tells Justin. Molly throws a block of cheese in red wax at Justin.”It’s Wisconsin Cheddar, not cheese that tastes like cum.”

 

Everyone starts to laugh and Ted fills me in on the whole thing. Molly being the polite young lady WASP she was raised to be, pulls out the trays of cheeses and crackers for the movie.

 

“Justin, why does Molly hang out with Michael?” I asked him.

 

“Michael introduced her to James, Molly was touring colleges, Michael offered to take her to CMU’s campus and get Ben to give her a tour. James was a Ben’s TA. Michael told James to take Molly around and they would meet for lunch. Molly has loved Michael ever since for introducing them and making it so they could spend time alone together.” Justin tells me.

 

“Of course, now we have to hear how he should be a matchmaker.” Ted tells us.

 

“Quiet, I’m about to start the show.” Michael tells us.

 

I look around and they all pretend to watch, Brian tells Justin, they should try the mile high club in the bathroom. Mel tells Lindsay to wake her up when it’s over. Blake, Ted and Emmett continue to talk and ignore the home movie. Callie and Hunter play with their phones. Gus offers to help me alleviate my boredom. Michael is like a librarian, telling us to be quiet. I look to see Ben and James are reading books. Molly took the seat in front of Lindsay and they talk. Michael made the video over two hours, I wanted to ask if he had a life, but I looked around and realized he does.

Chapter 16 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I have one more written after this and will probably write another tonight. Enjoy it.

KYLE

 

After the six hour torturous hours on the bus, we all fled to get away from Michael’s pictures and narrative. The beach house was massive, in the back Drew had erected a fenced off area, so we couldn’t see the decorations. Emmett told Drew he wanted to see the beautiful plans Drew thought up.

 

“More like make sure Drew really didn’t turn it into a football theme.” Ted jokingly tells us.

 

“Emmett, I wanted to do this for us. Trust me to know what you like, and Jen helped put it together for us.” Drew tells Emmett. Emmett runs to Jen and gives her a kiss on the cheek and tells her thank you over and over.

 

“Let’s get everyone settled and we can have a day at the beach.” Deb tell us.

 

We all gather our things and head into the house. We get our rooms and start unpacking, Gus tried to convince me we should share a room. Lindsay tells Gus he gets to share with Theo and Stuart. I smirk at Gus.

 

“Sure, can we have the adjoining room with Kyle.” Gus smirks at me.

 

“No, but you can have the room that adjoins with Lindsay and I, if you need special attention.” Mel tells him. Poor Gus.

 

Michael was ready for the beach. I wanted to toss his cameras into the ocean, just to avoid another wonderful slideshow, movie, and snapshot rendition on the bus ride back. Justin told me if we try hard enough we could tell Michael to stand next to the ocean at high tide to get a wide shot of the group. We both smiled at that idea. Deb comes by in a purple shirt and shorts and tells us to hurry up, she wants to get pictures of the kids. Guess we now know where Michael gets it from.

 

Brian has the guys bring an umbrella to the beach. Justin doesn’t tan, he burns. We all get settled on the beach and the kids and grandparents head to the water.

 

“Brian, I doubt Justin’s ass is going to get burned.” Michael tells him.

 

“Michael, Justin’s ass should be insured, just like his paintings.” Brian tells Michael.

 

“You need some help with that Brian?” A teammate of Drew's asks Brian.

 

“No, but you could go take a long swim in the ocean.” Brian tells him.

 

“I have to admit, it’s strange to see guys chasing after Justin instead of Brian.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Well if I had seen Justin first, I’d have chased him, just to be shot down.” Ted tells us.

 

“Ted don’t put that image in my head.” Brian glares at Ted.

 

“Michael, we should have an episode of Princess Elle at the beach trying to solve the mystery of the secret lair of the evil football King.” Justin looks at Drew, who laughs at Justin’s glare.

 

“Yeah, we could have her and her gang sneak out and try to infiltrate the lair.” Michael and Justin smile at each other. What am I missing here?

 

“Just make sure you have PRINCESS ELLE plan to evade the evil storm troopers guarding the lair.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Like we, I mean Princess Elle, isn’t sneakier than that.” Michael tells Emmett.

 

“Just don’t get Princess Elle put in the storm trooper’s jail. I would like to explore the many hiding spots on the beach.” Brian tells the boys.

 

“Ben, why does Brian always act like Justin and I can’t plan the comic better than that?” Michael asks Ben.

 

“I don’t know Michael, could it be because you usually blurt out everything and get caught.” Ben tells Michael.

 

“Ben, remember Michael has ‘Mr.1500 on his SAT’s’ helping him.” Ted tells Ben.

 

“Just don’t make Brian and I have to make bail.” Ben tells Michael.

 

Justin and Michael sit together and start plotting the next Princess Elle, or their invasion of Drew’s lair. Brian and Ben seem to take it all in stride. Emmett tells Drew to go play with his team.

 

“Justin, I think we should all dress in black, you know to make it seem like a heist.” Emmett put in.

 

“Like we’d dress in neon yellow or white, Emmett. I plan better than that.” Justin tells Emmett.

 

“I was just saying.” Emmett tells him.

 

“Ted, you in or are you going to sit with all the old folks?” Michael asks him.

 

“I’ll let Blake play with you kids, the rest of us will wait for the alarms to go off and play stripper superheroes.” Ted tells him.

 

“DO NOT SAY STRIPPER SUPERHEROES.” Michael yells at him. The whole beach is looking at us.

 

“I don’t know, I agree with Brian, you were especially revved up that night.” Ben says with a smile.

 

“If I have to plan this caper Ben, I don’t need to know you and Michael have a sex life, it’s like thinking of my mother and Tucker.” Justin shivers with disgust.

 

“Well, I have to know you and Brian get it on all the time.” Michael tells Justin.

 

“That probably reves us all up.” Ted tells Michael. Brian smiles at that.

 

“It kind of makes me nauseous.” Gus puts in.

 

“Gus, you were raised by the nympho’s, you should be used to it.” I tell him.

 

“I could be your nympho.” Gus tells me.

 

“You could also be grounded until you’re old and gray.” Lindsay tells him. Lindsay puts her towel under the umbrella and sits with Justin.

 

“I think you are all under the false impression that my son doesn’t have the Kinney gene.” Brian tells us.

 

“Brian, the real reason I didn’t want to use you as the donor is because I was going to have to raise a future pervert.” Mel jokingly tell us.

 

“Better than a centerfold, right Mel?” Brian tells her.

 

“Why, did it make you hot to see me in just my pearls?” Mel answers his comment.

 

“Save me from my parents.” Gus tells me, lunging at me, we fall backwards.

 

“Gus, get off of Kyle.” Lindsay tells him. I almost want to tell her to give me a second, I can’t hide anything in these shorts.

 

“Mommy, Dad told me I could have anything I wanted, it’s why he works so hard to become a billionaire.” Gus tells his mom. Gus sits in front of me and I want to say thank you.

 

“I did say that.” Brian points out.

 

“You just wanted to show off, because you're one of the most successful fags in Pittsburgh.” Mel tells him.

“Mel, I don’t have to show off, people know I’m the best. Ask all of the fags at Babylon.” Brian tells her.

 

“You mean the old guys who still hang out trying to find the fountain of youth.” Mel tells him.

 

“Okay, you two, as much as we enjoy you trying to win against each other, Justin and I need to know who’s in.” Michael tells us.

 

Ted, Brian, Mel, and Ben, tell them they would rather watch more of Michael’s home movies than help young guns with buns. Michael was smiling about them wanting to watch his movies.

 

“Michael, they were comparing your home movies with torture.” Justin tells him.

 

“Blake, Lindsay, and I are in.” Emmett tells him. “What about you Kyle?”

 

“Why not, can’t be any worse then having to interview Michael about the Big Q.” I tell them.

 

“You sure you want to go back to New York, Kyle?” Brian asks me, “I don’t mind buying a newspaper.”

 

“I bet I could get Drew and Brian to start a newspaper, just for you.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Yeah, you could help me celebrate my birthdays for the next two years.” Gus leers at me.

 

“I could have your next two birthday parties at romper room.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Romper room would just make Dad want to defile it.” Gus tells his mom.

 

“Justin and I could do that if you want us to.” Brian offers. Gus looks at his Dad and tells him to stop helping.

 

We all hang out and hatch the plot to get into the fenced area. Brian tells us we are going to have a bachelor party for Emmett first. Michael tells him we could all tell stories about Emmett, the group groans. Brian looks at Justin and tells him to turn over he needs to rub in some more sunscreen.

 

“Brian, he already looks like he’s got tons of the stuff on.” Michael complains.

 

“Shut up Michael, this helps all of us tonight.” Ted tells us while leering at Justin’s ass.

 

“How does it help?” Michael asks.

 

“It keeps King Kinney from bitching that his favorite toy is broken. You want to have to put up with Brian complaining about not being able to fuck Justin?” Mel tells Michael.

“Brian would find a way.” Blake tells her.

 

Finally everyone gathers their kids and we head to the house for dinner. Drew told everyone to dress for a barbeque. We come out and it’s like a luau. Justin and Gus head straight for the food, Brian heads for the bar with Mel. The rest of the gang help the children get their food. Drew hired  four nannies to help with the kids so the adults could play.

 

 

Chapter 17 by starlight
Author's Notes:

The end sounds like an ending but I just wanted to give Gus some help.

KYLE

 

After the kids get put to bed, it’s like Babylon on a Saturday night outside. Jen and Deb tell us to have fun and they head to bed. Brian tells us it’s time to really get this party started. Justin, Lindsay and Michael start to giggle and I suspect Brian had this planned. Emmett had his fifth cosmo in his hand. I have a feeling the breaking and entering is going to turn into a loud ‘wish we knew what we were doing, but we can’t remember the plan’ thing.

 

“KYLE, come here. Justin and I need you to help us escape.” Michael tells me. I think he meant to whisper but unfortunately for him he attracts everyone’s attention.

 

“Shut up Michael. We are supposed to quietly leave the party.” Emmett who is definitely drunk, he says this in front of Drew.

 

“Kyle, you should just lead them to the ocean and let them try to find their way home.” Mel tells me.

 

“Kyle is our pal, he wouldn’t do that and we also have Blake, he’s our sober buddy.” Justin tells everyone. I truly wonder, if they ever get a plan off the ground.

 

“You know, at one time I would have joined them.” Blake tells me.

 

“You still do, you just have to drive their drunk asses home after they try to reenact Rage.” Brian tells Blake.

 

“BRIAN YOU SHOULD PRETEND TO BE RAGE AND FLY TO OUR RESCUE.” Michael tells us. I want to ask Ben for the earplugs.

 

“I could be your Rage.” Gus whispers to me.

 

“I think I would be your Rage, Justin junior.” I tell him.

 

“Really, that would be hot.” Gus tells me.

 

“Gus, I might have to adopt a new gay son, one who can be less like a combination of Justin and Michael, someone who can take over where I left off in Pittsburgh.” Brian tells Gus.

 

“I think it’s sweet he doesn’t want your crown, Brian.” Mel tells him.

 

“Mel, you really want Gus to run all over town, chasing one guy. I mean look at his role model. Justin was driving Jen crazy and doing things nobody would believe.” Brian tells her.

 

“Justin also scored one of the highest scores on his SAT’s and was admitted to a prestigious college. Worked at the diner, created a comic, and still kept up with you.” Mel tells him.

 

“Um, guys?” I try to break in.

 

“He also ran away to New York with my credit card. Helped me by blackmailing Kip to drop the lawsuit, by letting Kip blow him. Ran around with the Pink Posse. You really want to let Gus copy that?” Brian tells her.

 

“Brian, Mel?” I try again.

 

“He also stood on his own feet, instead of letting you finance his life, and became a famous artist.” Mel tells him.

 

“GUYS.” I yell at them.

 

“WHAT?” Mel and Brian yell back.

 

“As much as, I love hearing all about Justin, you two might want to find out where he and his inebriated merry gang have disappeared to.” I tell them.

 

Ted, Mel, Ben, Drew and Brian look around and realize they disappeared while all of them were listening to Brian and Mel. I turn to look for Gus and realize he helped them.

 

JUSTIN

 

I love my son. He’s getting better at the distraction thing. I kind of wish Michael and I hadn’t drank the whole bottle of Tequila together. We decided to scale the gates from the back. Drew only put guards on the front.

 

“Emmett, Drew should know you have to guard every possible entrance. You need to teach him better.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, you have to keep some secrets from your man.” Emmett is swaying. We should have waited to drink.

 

“GUYS, we need to stick to the plan. How are you planning on getting through the gate?” Michael asks.

 

“We climb Michael. I mean, it’s only seven feet.” I giggle at Michael.

 

“Justin, what if there are mean attack dogs in there?” Michael must really be drunk.

 

“You hear any barking?” I ask him. Michael actually thinks about it.

 

“Maybe they’re silent attack dogs.” Michael needs to learn to be quiet.

 

“I’ll go first,” Emmett grabs the gate. I think he’s using it to hold himself up.

 

“I’ll go, I mean you guys will still be sitting on the ground. Leave it to a woman to do a man’s job.” Lindsay tells us. She would be more believable if she wasn’t lying in the sand.

 

I lay down with her and tell Michael and Emmett to start climbing. Lindsay and I start talking about taking the kids to Europe together, we’ll leave Mel and Brian at home to work. Emmett comes over and sits with us. We all look at Michael who is still attempting to climb over the gate.

 

“If you guys go to Europe, I get to come.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Like I could leave Theo behind.” I point out.

 

“How’s it going Michael?” Lindsay asks him.

 

“If you guys would help, we could get in.” Michael who is holding on to the top but only got his feet in the first rung of the fence tells us.

 

“Come on guys, we are going to have to boost Michael.” I tell them.

 

We all start to climb, but none of us are sober enough to hang on. I was falling off, Emmett just stood there, Lindsay, Miss ‘woman can do it better’ couldn’t even find the fence and Michael hopped up and hung on for dear life.

 

“We should have done this sober.” Michael tells us.

 

“You're the idiot who said you could drink me under the table.” I tell him.

 

“You're just like Brian, can’t let Mikey win.” Michael whines at me.

 

“No, I just don’t want anybody to accuse me of not being able to outsmart you.” I tell him.

 

“Are you over the fence yet?” Lindsay asks, looking at us from the ground.

 

“Yes Lindsay, we’re going to prove men could do it better.” Emmett says while leaning on the fence.

 

“We should have let Blake go first. He would probably be over it and back by now.” Michael whines.

“Wait, where did Blake go?” I ask.

 

We turn and look to see if he hung back. What we see is our partners, standing there laughing at all of us.

 

KYLE

 

Brian and the others start searching for the Avengers. We didn’t have to search long, they were talking so loud you could hear them for miles. I see Blake standing there talking on his phone. While the rest of them are arguing with each other.

 

“Do you think they are going to attempt to break in before the wedding tomorrow night?” Mel asks us.

 

“Do you think any of them could get over the fence, without breaking bones?” Ted asks them.

 

“Do you think we should stop them?” Drew asks them.

 

“Why bother, not a single one has gotten past holding on to the fence.” Brian tells us.

 

“Blake, why aren’t you helping them?” I ask him.

 

“I already climbed it, went in, looked around, climbed out and was back while they were talking about mean attack dogs and Europe.” Blake tells us.

 

“I want it to be a surprise for Emmett.” Drew glares at Blake.

 

“After I saw, I climbed out from the other side. I think Emmett should have to wait, since he worried so much.” Blake tells Drew.

 

We start listening to the Avengers talking about drinking and trying to prove men do it better, when they finally realize Blake is missing. I couldn’t help but laugh at them, they looked surprised that anyone would find them. Everyone else started laughing with me.

 

Brian told the kids to go to their rooms. They danced by us singing a bad rendition of ‘Hero’ by Enrique Iglesias. Brian grabbed Justin and told him they needed to discuss some important topics and took off.

 

“Ben, we should discuss some things too.” Michael tells him. Ben, smart man he is carried his husband to the house.

 

“Drew, we could play fireman.” Emmett giggles. Drew runs with Emmett.

 

“Mel, we can’t let the boys win.” Lindsay tells Mel.

 

At least Blake and Ted are still with me. I turn to see they have disappeared too.

 

“Well I can walk the beach and then head for bed.”

 

“Or you could walk the beach with me.” Gus tells me. Did I say that out loud?

 

“We can walk but nothing is going to happen. I need your promise.” I tell Gus.

 

“I promise, but if you try anything, I won’t stop you.” Gus tells me.

 

I walk down the beach with my future, and think Pittsburgh might not be a bad place to live. Gus held to his promise and we just talk about tomorrow and his life with the animal house. I almost wanted to call my editor and tell him I quit, but I need something to occupy me until Gus is older.


Chapter 18 by starlight
Author's Notes:

One more chapter after this one.

KYLE

 

I woke up and realized Gus and I had slept out on the beach. I also see Brian sitting in front of us.

 

“If I didn’t like you, I might have smothered you in your sleep.” Brian tells me.

 

“Brian, nothing happened.” I tell him.

 

“I know that, but even with all the joking around, I want Gus to have the best life possible. I don’t want him to grow up as fast as Justin had to.” Brian tells me.

 

“Dad, I’m not going to get hurt. I have you to keep me safe.” Gus tells his dad.

 

“Yes, you do.” Brian gets up and heads back to the house.

 

It’s the first time I got to witness Brian the father, and I wish he’d been my dad. Gus and I walk back to the house, breakfast is in full swing. Drew is keeping everyone in the house because the fence is coming down. He told us everyone but Emmett can go out after breakfast. Emmett pouts and tells him it’s not fair.

 

Jen and Deb take Emmett to a room on the other side of the house to start getting ready. The rest of us go to see what Drew did. Good God, I want to marry Drew.

 

We walk through a wall of peach and white roses and end up in an oasis of color. I wanted pictures for my article.  Instead of chairs there are pews with bags of peach and white flower petals to throw as Emmett walks by. The stage where they are going to stand is a rainbow of flowers that surround the entire stage. Drew placed pictures of Emmett, the boys and him around the sides. Tables for later were lined up around the sides, each table had a pot of flowers in the middle. I ask what they are. Justin tells me Golden Gardenias. Drew tells me that it was Justin’s contribution to the wedding. I look everywhere, Drew wanted the wedding to be private so he had walls erected around the entire area. Every wall is decorated with white satin bows and Pink, Peach and Purple flowers in pots behind the center of each bow.

 

“Brian, if I ever marry Gus, I want this.” I tell him. Wait, did I really say that?

 

“I’m jealous we didn’t do this.” Justin tells Brian.

 

“Drew, I’ll leave Ben if you throw me a wedding like this.” Michael jokes.

 

“Yeah no, I’ll throw you an anniversary party next year.” Drew tell Michael.

 

“Teddy, I changed my mind, we need to have a wedding.” Blake tells him.

 

“Drew, you are trying to kill me.” Ted tells Drew.

 

“Just wanted to show who is the best planner.” Drew tells Ted.

 

We all walk out of our dream wedding site and start to get ready. I promised to sit with Gus and the girls. I told Mel and Lindsay I would respect Gus’s age. Mel told me it’s me they are worried about, Gus has Kinney power. We all sit down in the pews. Ted is going to be the best man and the kids are seating everyone. Elle and Selena come out in peach dresses, with white baby’s breath head pieces, they are strewing petals along the carpet. Theo and Stuart are walking each person to their seats and running back to get the next person. When Brian and Justin come in, Theo and Stuart fight to seat Justin. He takes both their hands and let’s them walk him to his seat. Theo tells everyone he’s tired and sits on Justin’s lap. Gus gets up to help Stuart get the rest of the people in their seats. We all have to just stare at the room again. We’re outside but it’s like we're in a greenhouse of flowers. It’s finally time. Jen and Deb bring Emmett out to the entrance.

 

“Emmett, may I walk my adopted son to the altar?” Carl asks Emmett.

 

“I couldn’t have asked for a better father.” Emmett tells Carl as he takes his arm. They walk up to the front.

 

Drew walked in with his mother and father. His mother kissed Emmett and told him she was proud to become his mother. Drew’s dad hugged Emmett and told him to take care of Drew. We all teared up.The reverend started the ceremony.

 

“Emmett, when we met I was still trying to pretend I wasn’t gay. It might have worked if I’d never met you. I wanted to give you the world, but the world wasn’t ready for me to be gay. We had some rough times, but you always saw me through them. You even let me go to turn twenty-one. I wanted to tell you no but knew I wasn’t ready to be what you needed. The last five years have given my life meaning and you are my reason for waking up and living a better life. I will love you forever Emmett.” Drew is trying to turn this into a tear jerker wedding.

 

“Drew, when we meet, I thought you were a redneck, beer chugging asshole. Instead I found my soul mate. I was ready to give up on relationships after we parted because no one compared to you. When Brian helped to get us back together, I wanted to tell him we couldn’t work. You instead showed me what it’s like to love someone who completes you. I was worried about the wedding, but I should have known you know me as well as I know you. Thank you for loving me and our boys and thank you for being my happiness and safety. I will love you forever Drew. Teddy you suck.” Emmett tells everyone. We all start laughing at Ted.

 

The reverend asked for the rings and Theo and Stuart raced up to their dads and gave them the rings. The boys refused to sit back down so Emmett and Drew picked up the kids and carried them through the rest of the ceremony. When the reverend pronounced them husbands, Justin and Brian came over and grabbed the boys. Drew and Emmett kissed until Ted finally had to tell them to stop. The audience laughed and the reverend introduced Drew and Emmett Honeycutt-Boyd to the audience.

 

We were all asked to stand and wait while the room was altered for the party. The pews were quickly changed and tables and chairs put in. We stood there and watched Drew and Emmett stare at each other. Michael finally needed to stop the love fest.

 

“I thought you weren’t going to take Drew’s name.” Michael says to Emmett.

 

“A girl has a right to change her mind.” Emmett tells him.

 

Everyone sits down and there are disposable cameras on the tables. Drew told us he wanted pictures of everything. Michael and Deb grabbed five cameras each. The rest of us can only imagine what Michael will do with the pictures.

 

The planner announces it’s time for the speeches. Michael tries to get up to the microphone, Ben grabs him. Ted goes to the podium.

 

“When Emmett first told me about him and Drew, I thought he was kidding. Then Drew announces it to all of Pittsburgh. I was in awe that he loved Emmett enough to tell the whole world. I was also  jealous, I only got to see Drew in his underwear, Emmett got the whole package.” Ted waits till the laughter dies down, “Drew I want to thank you for loving Emmett. Emmett, I want to say thank you for being my best friend.”

 

Drew’s coach and other teammates all said nice things. Michael finally managed to get to the stage. We all hold our breath and pray he doesn’t say anything that will have Drew kill him.

 

“Hi, I’m Michael Novotny. Emmett and I met and became roommates in our twenties. I remember the excitement of having my first apartment. Emmett wanted to decorate the apartment to show his personality and I wanted to decorate it to show mine. We were able to find a way of doing it. Emmett never once made fun of my comic obsession, but helped to blend it into the apartment. I was always worried about people finding out I was gay and Emmett taught me to be proud of myself and tell everyone else to wear sunglasses, if the light was burning too bright. It still took me years to be proud, but thanks to you Emmett, I found my flame. Thank you for being one of the best brothers a guy could ask for. Drew, love him like I love Ben.” Michael walks off. We were sitting there stunned. Michael walks back and picks up the microphone, “Oh by the way, I put copies of the article about Ben and me on the table by the door, for anybody to read.” There’s the Michael we all know.

 

“I wanted to give Emmett his wedding present from me. Emmett, I hope you love this house, I bought it for our vacations.” Drew tells Emmett. Emmett screams and is all over Drew.

 

“I also arranged a honeymoon in Hawaii for all of us.” Drew really wants to make Emmett happy.

 

“When you say ‘all of us’ Drewsy, who are you talking about?” Emmett asks him.

 

“My family, our family and the gang.” Drew tell Emmett.

 

“We’re going to Hawaii, Carl.” Deb gets excited.

 

“I have it arranged to go next week. I want everyone available to go. Emmett and I have a private bungalow, but the rest of you have a house to stay at. I really just wanted babysitters.” Drew jokes.

 

The dancing starts and I dance with Lindsay.

 

“Emmett planned my wedding to Mel and it was beautiful, but I think Drew has him beat.” Lindsay tells me.

 

“I think Drew loves Emmett enough to make sure he gets all his dreams.” I tell her.

 

“Will you love my son enough to do the same?” Lindsay asks me.

 

“I’m halfway there, but I think I’ll let him grow up enough to really know what he wants.” I tell her.

 

“I’m voting for you.” Lindsay walks off and dances with Mel.

 

“Can I have this dance?” Gus asks me.

 

“Only if you limit the flirting, your dad might kill us.” I joke with Gus.

 

“Flirt away son, I think Kyle needs a reason to move to Pittsburgh.” Justin tells us as he dances by with his mother.

 

The rest of the gang interchanges dancers, like they have conversations. Brian dances with Michael who then grabs Ben from Ted. Justin and Emmett are doing some kind of hand swinging dance together, Emmett picks him up and twirls him. Brian takes Emmett's hands off Justin and they start swaying together.

 

The wall facing the beach is suddenly moved and we are told to sit out on the beach. Our group sits together, most in each other’s laps and watch as the night is lit up with fireworks. Drew tells everyone he and Emmett are going to a hotel he rented for tonight and tomorrow.

 

“Jen and I have the kids.” Deb reassures them.

 

“Do everything Justin and I would do, and take pictures.” Brian adds tongue in cheek.

 

“Call if you get bored.” Michael adds.

 

“Give Drew big sloppy kisses.” Ted tells them.

 

We all sit out there for a while and just enjoy the evening.

 

Chapter 19 by starlight
Author's Notes:

Here the end.

SIX YEARS LATER

 

KYLE

 

When I turned in my last piece of the article on the guys of Liberty Avenue, it turned out to be my last article for any newspaper. I wasn’t a hard hitting journalist, I couldn’t turn people's lives upside down to sell a newspaper. I wanted to do something that made me feel good about myself.

 

My editor told me he wanted an exclusive on Drew and Emmett or he wouldn’t run my feel good piece. I told him no, I wouldn’t invade their privacy like that. He told me to decide if I was a reporter or quit. I told him to take his job and shove it.

 

Drew and Emmett would have done the exclusive but my editor wanted me to bring up their past. He wanted the broken engagement and an interview with the ex. I told him that I would do an article on their wedding and family life, but not a hatchet job, because the ex is still bitter. He told me nobody wanted happy endings, they wanted to hear all about Drew treating his fiancee as a beard. I realized I hated my job. It wasn’t that I hated writing the who’s who section, I hated the idea of printing something that hurt people. I wanted to help people. That is what I found out with the gang, they all love what they do. I wanted a job that made me want to wake up every morning. Blake was the one who helped me.


I told my parents I was going to go back to school and to do something I loved doing. My parents told me they were willing to support me. I realized that I tended to discount my parents because they weren’t marching at Pride, but they marched behind me. I told them about the gang and put my mom in touch with Deb and Jen. Every time I visited my mom she was talking to one of them.  She became the mother hen in New York, the guys thought it was funny that my mom, who is only a few years older than them, was mothering them.

 

The night Justin and his posse tried to break into the wedding area, Blake stopped to help a patient at the rehab center. He was making someone’s hard night easier by being there for them. Blake and I talked and I want to do that too. With the help of my parents, I went back to school and got a Masters Degree in social work. I wanted to help LGBT teens before they made bad decisions. Blake was lucky, people cared enough to help him and I wanted to be the person who helped someone else.

 

Brian and Justin visited often, Deb sent me enough food to feed half the school. Michael sent me comics. Ben told me to call if I needed any help with papers. Emmett and his kids came to visit all the time. Drew retired after the season ended the year they got married. He told me he wanted to still be able to walk when the boys got older. Blake and I talked about subjects I was learning. Mel and Lindsay were like mother hens. It was hard not to visit, but they all made sure I was still alive. I was their family and they didn’t let go of anyone.

 

Gus was angry that I didn’t want a relationship right away, he told me if Justin could do it so could he. I told him that not everyone falls in love and stays with that person. Gus argued that I was scared of commitment. I told Gus that two weeks isn’t enough time to know if we would make it. Gus told me that he knew, and if I wanted time he would give it to me. He hung up and wouldn’t answer my calls for a few months. Justin told me to give him time, Gus was hurting. That life wasn’t the perfect fairytale he’d been told by his family.

 

Brian called and asked me what really happened. I told him I wanted to become someone who I could be proud of, and I wanted to let Gus grow up to have the perfect life Brian wanted for him. Brian told me that the reason he worried is because Gus wasn’t told the bad things, but the love story. Brian told me that Justin not only had to grow up because his shithead of a father threw him out, but because Brian spent years hurting him. He respected me for not making Gus go through all that. He told me that if Gus is anything like Justin, he’ll never give me up. I told him I hope that’s true, but I have six years before I finish school.

 

Gus finally called me again, and I told him that until I was through with school and he was able to explore his sexuality, we could only be friends. We needed to finish growing into the men were going to be. I wanted to tell him we could still see each other, but I didn’t want to make promises I couldn’t keep. Gus, like his father, expected you to keep your word. Our lives got in our way and we stopped calling every day, then it was every week, until the phone calls were rare. I didn’t allow anyone to interfere, if we are meant to be we’ll find each other. Emmett told me Gus was like a man possessed, taking as many classes as he could to finish school faster. I told Emmett Gus was an overachiever, just like the rest of them. I know they all wanted us to last, but the odds were against us.

 

I also think at sixteen he was still too young to make a life commitment. I won’t say it wasn’t hard, but I wanted a life partner, not someone who might change his mind about us as he grew up. Justin told me so far there was no one. Gus told them he didn’t have time. It gave me hope, until my graduation.

 

Everyone but Gus showed up for my graduation. I had hoped he would show, but respected his decision not to be there. I guess we weren’t getting the fairy tale. I made a big show of pretending I was okay with it. It’s hard to love someone so young and know that you needed to wait. I did find out he finished school and now works with Brian. I decided that even if we didn’t have a relationship we could still be friends.

 

Brian told me to go home and get dressed. They were talking me and my parents out to dinner. My mom and dad were talking about moving to be closer to their new friends. Deb and Jen were helping them find a place in Pittsburgh. I was happy, my parents had been adopted by the gang. Brian told me to hurry up, he had a present for me. I got to my apartment and hurried to change to meet with everyone else. On my way out I stopped at my front door and told myself, I had time to try to win Gus. I opened the door to leave.


“Hey Kyle. How about we skip the reasons you can come up with that we shouldn’t be together and just start our life.” I guess I do get the fairy tale.




End Notes:

I will be writing but I want to work on the story before posting this time. I love all the encouragement I got from not only Lorie but all the readers. Till nezt time.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=347